Stronger Together With You by Leeann
Summary: Shelby Murphy is a young girl who has known nothing but hurt and teasing all her life. She is unwanted by everyone in her hometown, after finally graduating she has an opportunity to move to Orlando Florida and hopefully to a new life. What Shelby finds when she gets there is nothing but the same type of shallow people who bring others down to make themselves feel better. She goes through some very hard times and finds the strength to make it from the person she least expected to find it from.
Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 100924 Read: 71544 Published: Apr 30, 2007 Updated: Apr 30, 2007

1. Chapter 1 by Leeann

2. Chapter 2 by Leeann

3. Chapter 3 by Leeann

4. Chapter 4 by Leeann

5. Chapter 5 by Leeann

6. Chapter 6 by Leeann

7. Chapter 7 by Leeann

8. Chapter 8 by Leeann

9. Chapter 9 by Leeann

10. Chapter 10 by Leeann

11. Chapter 11 by Leeann

12. Chapter 12 by Leeann

13. Chapter 13 by Leeann

14. Chapter 14 by Leeann

15. Chapter 15 by Leeann

16. Chapter 16 by Leeann

17. Chapter 17 by Leeann

18. Chapter 18 by Leeann

19. Chapter 19 by Leeann

20. Chapter 20 by Leeann

21. Chapter 21 by Leeann

22. Chapter 22 by Leeann

23. Chapter 23 by Leeann

24. Chapter 24 by Leeann

25. Chapter 25 by Leeann

Chapter 1 by Leeann
She remembered the words clearly as if it was yesterday. ‘You’re nobody Shelby; you’ll never amount to anything. I wish I didn’t even know you. You’re a disgrace to this class and this town. You’ll always be a fat cow working at a dead end job.’

To this day the words stung and hurt her to her very core. Shelby Lynn Murphy, nobody liked her and nobody gave her time of day unless it was to knock her down or cut some crude remark.

A girl’s senior year in high school was supposed to be the time of her life but for Shelby it was a never-ending cycle. She woke up, endured the yelling in her foster home, walked the mile to school, and then sat through a boring hour of homeroom. After that it was off to trig to listen to the teacher drone on and enduring the cruel comments coming from the back.

No one stopped to help her when people ran into her, spilling her books everywhere. Many days she ended up in the bathroom, third stall in to be precise, crying her eyes out.

In five days she would be out. Graduation was upon them the week after this. Finals next week, then she’d be free. She smiled at this thought, freedom, what was it like?

Living in a foster home after her mother died 8 yrs ago, Shelby had stayed with her stepfather, but couldn’t live with the constant beating and sexual abuse he’d caused her. This experience had left her scarred for life. She had no friends; she was depressed all the time, and was about 75 lbs overweight.

Standing at a mere 5’5, 230 lbs made her the blunt of everyone’s joke. Her pale blue eyes hidden beneath glasses, rarely a sparkle of life to them. The only time Shelby was truly alive was when she was by herself writing.

Writing was her passion, her escape from reality. She could transform her feelings on paper and not have to worry about anyone ridiculing her. Having school and a 20hr/week job, she hadn’t been able to write much lately.

Reading was also another passion she had. It, like her writing, was another way out of her harsh cruel world. No one hurt her, tormented her, or constantly pushed her down.

Opening her yearbook, Shelby looked at the messages people had left. Counting a whole 5 all together, she sighed and closed the book.

“Shelby get down here and make supper.” A voice demanded from below.

“It’s Tina’s turn.” She shouted back down.

“She’s not here, now get your lazy ass down here and make supper before we starve.”

Shelby sighed and slowly got up. Ten other people lived in this house and it seemed as no one else even did anything. There were times when she felt like a modern Cinderella.

“Stop lagging girl,” the woman demanded when Shelby reached the bottom stair.

“Sorry Alice.” Shelby mumbled.

“How many times do I have to tell you to refer to me as mom like the others do.” Alice snapped.

“When you act like a mother then I’ll think about it, but as long as you’re a slave drive, Alice it is.” Shelby turned away and left her standing in the same spot her anger pulsating from her whole body.

She was scrounging around the kitchen when suddenly she lay face down on the ground, her cheek stinging like the Dickens.

“Never talk to me like that you stupid tramp. Now get up and make something.”

Shelby swallowed the tears that built beneath the dam.

“Ten more days,” she thought silently.

Twenty minutes later she had dinner on the table and watched as everyone made a sloppy mess of themselves.

“Don’t you pigs have manners?” she yelled disgusted enough to loose her appetite.

“Shut up and sit back down before I give you another bruise.” Alice threatened.

“I have to go to the library, don’t stay up and wait for me.” That said, Shelby fled the house and hopped into her old Beetle.

Shelby headed towards the library, not stopping for anything.

“Hey Shelby, spots open.” The guy behind the desk smiled.

“Thanks Marc, I appreciate it.” Shelby headed toward her favorite computer and sighed.

She booted up and typed in a job search and once again came up empty.

“Stuck here for life,” she sighed then glanced up.

She noticed a sign for Disney World; sighing wistfully Shelby wished she were there right now. Being the kid she never got to be. Shelby began to feel her heart race and she started shaking. Right in front of her was her way out.

Turning back to her computer she found a website that rented apartments wherever you would think possible. She entered Orlando and brought up a page of like 50 different entries. She looked for the cheapest one, a one-room studio with only basic furnishings such as a bathroom area, kitchen sink, stove, and refrigerator. Reading into it more, she discovered it was only $150 a month. She put in an application and smelled that freedom just within her reach.

She had about $1500 to her name from working and saving. After she’d proudly bought her car, she carefully put away the rest of her money. She figured it could take her to Orlando and she could live on it until she found a job.

With her new sense of worth Shelby went home and to bed, counting down the days in which she could leave and start a new life where no one knew her. She’d been telling herself that the rest of the world had to be nicer than Minot, North Dakota.

_________________

(Tuesday May 14, 2002) 10:00am

Shelby was near tears as she walked towards Trig.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Tyler asked getting in her way.

“To class, now excuse me Tyler before I’m late.” Shelby sighed, trying to get past him.

Tyler Radke, biggest jerk in school. He’d made Shelby’s life miserable ever since she could remember.

“Oh, isn’t that cute, she wants to get by, what do you think? Should we let her go boys?” Tyler asked his friends Rod and Jeremy.

“Um, no.” Rod crossed his arms.

“Not acceptable” Jeremy mimicked his move.

“What did I ever do to you guys?” Shelby backed against the wall.

“You’re just there. Always in the way, like I said you’re nobody. You’ll always be nobody, remember the time Rod asked you out when we were freshman? All you said was haha. Now how do you think he felt? He asked you numerous times, but all you did was ignore him. Then if I remember right you had a teensy crush on him. Since that day, I decided we’d never let you live that one day.” Tyler explained.

“You hate on me just because of some stupid ass joke he played 4 freaking years ago?” Shelby asked feeling the chunks rise.

“That and the fact that you’re easy prey. I mean you’re fat, you smell funny, and we know it bothers you.” Tyler sneered.

“You are sick.” Shelby pushed passed them, ignoring the tears that were soon to surface.

The rest of the day went twice as bad, especially when she went home.

“Shelby get you’re ass down here.” Alice screamed as soon as she stepped through the door.

“What?” she sighed in defeat.

“Clean up this mess, then hurry up and fix something for dinner.” Alice demanded.

“Sorry, I can’t I have to work tonight.” Shelby turned to go, just waiting for the rebuttal.

“Excuse me, but the only work you’re going to do tonight is what I say.” Alice screamed.

“Bye Alice.” Shelby calmly walked up to her room to change for work.

“Didn’t you hear me? Get your ass back down here and do what I said.” Alice yelled.

Shelby descended the stairs five minutes later, wearing her work clothes.

“Don’t you dare walk out that door you stupid bitch,” Alice slapped Shelby across the face in anger.

“Get Nancy to do it, all she ever does is sit on her ass all day. Or maybe you could do something yourself for a change.” Shelby walked out to her car and went to work.

The moment Shelby walked in to work her boss was on her case.

“Shelby, hurry up and wait on table 3, they’ve been waiting for over 5 minutes now.” Brad demanded.

“Excuse me, but I’m a little busy here, can’t you do it yourself?” Shelby pointed to the line of customers lined up to pay.

“Go wait the table, and I’ll take care of this.” Brad told her.

“Here you go ma’am, have a nice night.” Shelby handed the young woman her change and offered a smile.

“If you want to keep your job you’ll do what I say.” He demanded thru clenched teeth.

Shelby just glared at him then went around the counter and greeted the table.

“Hello there, can I get you guys anything to drink?” Shelby greeted with a smile.

“We would like 5 waters, 2 Pepsi’s, 2 chocolate malts, and 1 milk. We’d also appreciate it if you’d hurry the hell up next time, we shouldn’t have to wait 10 minutes just to be waited on.” The old lady snapped.

“I do apologize ma’am, I’ll bring those drinks right away.” Shelby nodded then left the table and told herself to breathe.

“Come finish these.” Brad demanded pointing to the cash register.

“Sorry, can’t I have to make drinks.” Shelby brushed past him and fixed her drinks.

“Here you are ma’am,” Shelby smiled, setting down the tray holding all their beverages. “Can I take your order now?”

The lady rambled the order just as a group of 15 people came in. Shelby inwardly sighed and realized it was going to be a long night.

Five hours and two blisters later Shelby finally lowered herself in bed. Tonight had been good; she made just over $75 in tips, the best night in a while.

“Shelby comes down here.” Nancy screamed just minutes later.

Shelby just ignored her and found herself asleep in minutes.

“I love you Shelby,” he smiled down at her.

“You can’t love me, nobody loves me, I’m unlovable.” Shelby whispered.

“Now that’s not true baby, I love you and I’m somebody.” He insisted.

“Are you for real?” she sighed leaning against him.

“Yes, I’m for real.” He chuckled softly.

As Shelby gazed into his eyes, she saw them suddenly cloud up with a familiar hatred. Within the next few seconds he slapped her hard across the face.

“Shelby get you’re ass out of bed and make me breakfast.” Alice slapped her hard across the face.

“GET OUT OF MY ROOM, you’re not allowed in here.” Shelby pushed her out then slammed the door. She let herself slide down to the floor and felt the tears fall down her face.

“I can’t even have a dream without some kind of love.” She whispered that depression settling over her again.

Glancing to her right Shelby spotted a pair of scissors just within reach. She reached out and held them in her hand. The blades beckoned her as she stared at them.

“Shelby.” A voice shouted from below.

Shelby pushed the cool blade against her skin and pressed down slightly. She saw a thin red line of blood appear and grow. She repeated this one more time, releasing her breath she felt much better.

As much as Shelby wanted to stop, she’d been cutting since the beginning of the school year. No one knew her secret and she never cut deep; just a slight penetration to release some of the pressure within.

“Hey Shelby,” her neighbor called as she began her walk to school.

“Hey.”

Shelby took the same route every day and every day it took a half an hour to get to school. Many classmates drove past her, but no one ever bothered to stop, not even in the bitter wind of winter.

First period went good for Shel, but during trig the teacher sprung a pop quiz on them and she got blamed for it.

‘See me after class’ he’d said when he handed out the tests.

“Yes sir?” she asked quietly.

“Sit down Shelby,” he said shutting the door.

“What is this all about Mr. Brand?” Shelby asked nervously.

“Don’t be nervous, I just wanted to be the first to congratulate you.” He smiled.

“Congratulate me?” Shelby asked confused.

“Yeah, you’re graduating with a 4.0 GPA.” He explained.

“Oh my-are you serious?” Shelby asked dumbfounded.

“Yes I am and they also want you to give a speech at graduation you up for it?” he asked cautiously.

“I feel like I could do anything right now. You might want to ask me that later though.” Shelby left the room glowing.

“A 4.0,” she whispered to herself smiling.

Shelby wished more at that moment then ever before that she had someone to share her good news with.

The day got even better when she went home.

“Shel, you got mail.” Alice said snottily.

Shelby rolled her eyes at Alice’s retreating figure then turned over her envelope.

“Dear Miss Murphy…” Shelby read. Her eyes got wide and she jumped up and down.

“I got it.” She shouted excited.

In 10 days she was free to move to Orlando into her new studio apartment.

“I’m going to the library.” She shouted then ran out.

Shelby made it to the library in record time and went inside.

“Hey Shelby,” Marc smiled.

“Marc, guess what, I got a 4.0 to graduate with and I secured an apartment in Orlando. I can finally leave this dump.” Shelby ranted excitedly.

“Good job Shelbers I knew you could do it. If I wasn’t an old married grandpa I’d take ya out to celebrate.” Marc chuckled.

“That’s ok Marc, I’m just glad I got to tell at least someone. Will you come to graduation? I have to give a-oh my word, I have to give a speech.” Shelby realized and Marc could see her visibly close up.

“You’ll do great hon, if you need any help you know where to find me.” Marc smiled reassuringly.

“Thanks Marc,” Shelby went to her computer and suddenly an idea struck her.

“This is the perfect opportunity.” Shelby thought as she began typing wildly, the words flowing freely.

Shelby finished the speech in record time and printed a few copies.

“Marc, what do you think of this?” Shelby handed him the copy of her speech and waited for him to read it.

“I think you’re a genius, but I don’t think I’d ever go thru with something like that.” Marc shuddered.

“This is my moment, my only change to defend myself. Oh Marc this is going to work I can just taste it. Shit speaking of work, I’ve got to go.” Shelby leaned over the counter and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“See ya Shelby.” Marc called after her.

Shelby arrived at work 5 minutes later and didn’t even care when Brad yelled at her the whole night. No way one pecker head boss was going to burst her bubble. She left Denny’s $75 richer, still on her high.

She finally got into bed about 1:30am and for the first time in a long time she wore a smile on her face.

_______________

(Next morning May 15, 2002)

“Shelby there’s someone here too see you.” Alice yelled as Shelby grabbed her bag.

“Be right down.” She shouted back. She glanced down and wondered if wearing a jumper was a little over board. She shrugged it off and headed downstairs.

“Why are you wearing that? It makes you look like an elephant.” Alice chided rolling her eyes.

“Bite me,” Shelby threw back then headed toward the kitchen.

“Hey, Shelby, need a ride to school?” Marc stood there smiling.

“Hey Marc, I’d love a ride.” Shelby smiled and followed him out to his car.

“So how’s the old dragon?” Marc asked referring to Alice.

“I believe you answered your own question.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Why do you always walk to school when you have a car?” Marc asked.

“Because the one time I did drive it, the tires got slashed, so then I just decided to just keep walking.” Shelby replied wistfully.

“Martha was wondering if you wanted to join us for dinner tonight.” Marc asked her.

“Are you serious? Oh my gosh, I’d love too.” Shelby beamed excitedly.

“6:30, is that okay?” Marc asked.

“That works for me, thanks for the ride.” Shelby leaned over and gave him a hug.

“See ya later kiddo.” Marc smiled.

Shelby walked into school with a smile.

“What are you smiling about?” Tyler asked after intentionally bumping into her.

“After tomorrow, I won’t have to see you’re ugly face for another week. And after that I’ll never have to see you again.” Shelby explained.

“Yes you will, you’ll never leave here, you’ll always be a fat nobody.” Tyler sneered.

“Gee Tyler, by the way it sounds you’ll be stuck here forever too.” Shelby returned.

“Nah, I won’t be here.” Tyler denied.

“Then why would I be stuck here with you? You said it not me.” Shelby smugly pointed out, then turned to talk off.

Next thing she knew, Shelby was on the ground in front of her locker, blood running from her nose.

“See that’s what you get for being smart with me. I’d watch it if it were you.” Tyler pulled her up by her hair and smacked her against her locker before letting go and walking off.

Shelby fought the urge to sit down and cry in front of everyone.

“Shelby Murphy, come to the office please, Shelby Murphy come to the office.” The secretary called over the intercom.

“Shelby gather your stuff and go down.” Mrs. Dunn told her.

Shelby nervously went to the office and found two police officers waiting for her.

“Miss Murphy?” the taller one asked.

“Yes, how can I help you?” she answered.

“Do you know Marc and Martha Morgan?” he questioned.

“Yes, why,” Shelby swallowed nervously.

“I’m sorry miss but they were killed instantly in a car crash.”

At that moment, Shelby felt her world stop, she felt dead. No feeling registered. She’d just found out that her only friends had been killed”dead, gone.

“Miss Murphy? Miss, are you ok?” the officer asked.

“My only friend is dead, would you be ok?” Shelby snapped then ran into the bathroom.

Standing at the sink, she looked at her reflection. She splashed some water on her face then went into her third stall in. Only then did she let the tears fall. Marc, the only real friend she had was gone. Shelby dug into her purse and found what she was looking for. She pressed the blade to her skin and watched the blood appear, releasing the pressure that had built inside her.

Going back to class in her mind, was not an option. Mabel gave her one look and sent her home no questions asked.

Home was the last place she wanted to go so Shelby headed for her favorite spot in town”the Ramada Inn roof. It towered above the town it was her place to think.

She lay on her back looking up at the sky.

“Why me,” she whispered the tears leaking out.

Her whole life had been one big heart ache for her and she just wanted out. She was determined that Orlando would be different.

“Nine more days and you’ll be free, just 9 more days.” She assured herself. Truth be told it was the only thing that kept her going.

Ten minutes late for work, Brad was really hard on her. Several times when they were slow she just stood there looking forlorn, the tears leaving salty tracks down her cheeks. Never getting caught she made sure she was happy and dry when someone was watching.

After work was miserable, she went home and didn’t talk to a soul. She had no one. No one to talk to no one to give her a comforting hug which she needed most. She hugged Molly, a stuffed animal her mother had given her before she died. Shelby cried herself to sleep waking up the next morning really puffy.

“Shelby, a lawyer called this morning, he wants you to meet him at the Morgan residence on Sunday at 1. You’re not in some sort of trouble are you? I won’t bail you out.” Alice growled.

“Alice, do yourself a favor by running into a door or something. Just shut up.” Shelby glared.

“I won’t put up with that you ungrateful bitch. You are so dead.” Alice yelled, then started hitting Shelby who just sat there staring straight ahead.

“Are you stoned or something?” Alice wondered.

“Go to hell.” Shelby whispered then left.

The rest of the day progressed slower then she could ever imagine. It was officially her last day of school. Other students had finals next week but she’d exempt them all. She was free until graduation.

Shelby spent the weekend locked in her room just sitting there, Sunday she went to the Morgan’s.

“Miss Murphy, come in.” the man in the suit invited.

Shelby felt the tears rise as she stepped across the threshold.

“Please sit down, this here is the Morgan’s only relative.” The guy pointed to the other man present.

“I called you all here because this is what Marc wanted, we’re going to read his well, or listen to it if you will.” Shelby focused her attention to the TV screen in front of her.

Marc’s face appeared, “Hey guys, if you’re watching this then it probably means I’m dead. Please don’t cry Shelby, you cry too much to begin with. I’m just going to make this short. Shelby, I want you to get rid of that old piece of junk you call a car and take the one that’s in the garage. Wendel has the pink slip, as long as he hasn’t lost it. There’s also $5,000 going to you. Close you’re mouth young lady, that’s not polite.” Shelby’s open jaw shot up at that moment.

“There we go, like I was saying I want you to take that for when you get out of here. Make me proud sweetie.”

“Ok,” Shelby whispered openly crying.

“Stewart, I want you to have the house and everything else. I love you bro. Give Shelby a hug for me ok? Bye guys.” Just like that he was gone.

Shelby paid no attention to anyone around her or the fact that someone’s arms surrounded her. She was numb in her pain.

“Shelby, here’s the keys to the car. Do you want to go check it out?” Wendel offered.

“Sure I want out of here.” Shelby stood up and followed him out.

“Here it is.”

Shelby took one look at the car and her jaw dropped.

“You can’t be serious.”

“He wanted you to have it.” He smiled.

Before them sat an old red convertible, completely restored. White leather interior gave it class as did the white leather hood. All it needed was a pair of white fuzzy dice and it would be a complete vintage classic.

“Go ahead and sit in it.” Wen suggested.

Shelby opened the door and gingerly sat behind the wheel. She put the keys in the ignition and started her up.

“She purrs like a kitten,” Wen smiled softly.

“I’d much rather have them here still.” Shelby admitted quietly.

“Yeah, me too,” Stewart agreed standing next to the car. “How did you know my brother?”

“From the library, I’m a regular. He was like the only person who actually gave a shit about me. He even invited me over to have diner with him and Martha. He was like the father I never had.” Shelby had tears running down her face.

“He talked about you from time to time. He always referred to you as his brown haired blue eyed grand daughter. He called last night and I heard from him to tell me that you got a 4.0 in school and you were moving to Orlando.” He smiled wistfully.

“I miss them already.” Shelby admitted sadly.

“I do to, I can’t believe they’re gone, it just seems so unreal.” Stew sighed staring off into space.

“When’s the funeral?” Shelby wondered minutes later.

“Tomorrow morning at 10:30,” Stewart replied.

“Oh.”

“You need a ride?”

“If you don’t mind, do you think it’s ok if I leave the car here until next Sunday morning?”

“Sure I’ll have Wen have you’re money by then. Do you have like a savings account or something?”

“Actually I’m leaving for Orlando on Sunday so I’m going to close my accounts. Is it possible to just kind of cash it? Or like a check or something?” she asked forlornly.

“Yeah, we can have that done for you. I got to get going, do you need a ride home?”

“If it’s ok,” Shelby sighed getting out of the car.

The following morning was hard for Shelby, she had to say goodbye to the only real friend she had.

“How you holding up,” Stew asked hours later.

“I just want to get out of here.” Shelby responded.

“We’ll only be a few more minutes.” Stew gestured towards the dining room.

“I just mean out of here, this whole town.”

“Five more days kiddo--five more days.” Stew smiled and walked away.

After the long day she had at the funeral, Shelby was awakened from her restless nap by a phone call. Brad was desperate for her to work and she was forced to go.

“Shelby stop lagging, we have customers waiting.” Brad demanded.

“Brad, I could work better if you weren’t always breathing down my neck and yelling at me all the time.” Shelby retorted getting fed up with the constant demands.

Brad stayed quiet for about an hour until she started cleaning the back area.

“Shelby would you stop that and come here, Mindy needs help.” He rolled his eyes and sighed.

“You can do it for me you’re not doing anything but bitching at me anyway.” Shelby snapped.

“Just get up here.” Brad said disgusted.

Shel just ignored him and kept cleaning, next thing she knew he was back there glaring at her.

“You better listen to me next time you stupid cow. When I say to do something you better listen.” He came really close to her, making Shelby want to puke.

“You’re going to burst a blood vessel if you don’t calm down.” Shelby replied nonchalantly.

“Aren’t you even listening to me?” Brad came within inches of her and slapped her hard across the face.

“Back off dammit, what did I ever to do you? I’ve had the day from hell. I had my best friend’s funeral today, you called and begged me to work because YOU needed me and now I have to come here and listen to you rag on me. Another thing if you ever touch me again, I’ll report you and press charges. I’m going to home now and you’re going to fend for yourself.” Shelby was red with tears falling down her face.

Brad backed away with his palms warding her off. His face was white as a sheet, realizing what he’d done.

Shelby walked past him, clocked out then slammed the door on the way out. Getting into her car, Shelby did something rare, she turned on the radio.

Shelby didn’t like listening to most music. It all represented things she’d never experienced and truthfully it kind of depressed her. There was only one song she truly liked by a pop group.

Gone was the song. She could totally relate. Everything she’d ever loved had been ripped away”gone.

Just then that very song came on the radio. She turned it up and let her tears flow freely.

It seemed to her that nothing was going right in her life. No one loved her, no one cared about her. Today was the worst in a long time. It started with Marc’s funeral, work, and brad hitting her. At this moment the best thing to her was to go home sleep and never wake up.

Going home and to bed was the first thing she did. She picked up her journal and a pen.

Tuesday, May 21, 2002

Today was the worst day of my life, we had Marc’s funeral this morning. I felt everyone’s eyes on me, condoning me. I could just hear the comments, there goes that fat girl. I’m sick of fat. Nobody likes me, I have no friends, sometimes I’m pretty sure no one would miss me if I was gone.

It’s not fair, some people have everything and I get nothing. I am so fed up with my life. Only 5 more days until I’m out of here forever.

Wow-Marc left me a really nice car and $5,000. I have the money in a safe place and the car is at their house until I leave on Sunday.

Brad slapped me at work. I was so mad and sad that I kind of told him off then left. I don’t think I told you that I got the Orlando apartment and then I’ll be out of here. I’ll never come back-not ever. Got to go the dragon is calling.

“Shelby get down here.” Alice shouted.

“I’m asleep.”

“If you’re asleep then you wouldn’t have said anything, now get down here.”

Shelby rolled her eyes, sighed, then slowly made her way downstairs.

“You bellowed?” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Shut up, there’s someone here to see you.” Alice gestured toward the kitchen.

Shel curiously walked into the kitchen then stopped halfway sighing when she saw who it was.

“Did you come here to harass me some more or what?” Shelby snapped.

“I just stopped by to apologize. I realized I had no right to treat you like that. I was just angry at everything and took it out on you. My girlfriend just broke it to me that she’s pregnant with my best friend’s kid. Please forgive me Shelby.” Brad apologized.

Shelby studied his eyes, looking for any hint of mockery, but found nothing but sincerity.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” she responded finding herself feeling pity.

“I couldn’t believe it. I just wanted to kill him.” Brad inhaled deeply then sighed.

Shel didn’t say anything, she just watched him struggle with an inner battle. He stood about 5’11, had brown hair gelled to perfection, brown eyes with small silver glasses. He was cute but had a bad attitude.

“I better get going, I’ll see you at work tomorrow.” Brad told her, looking lost.

“Ok, good luck with everything.” Shel motioned.

“Thanks everything is just all going at once, it’s just confusing.” Brad answered desponded.

“It’ll work out Brad, just keep up the faith.” Shelby assured him.

“Walk me to my car.” Brad opened the door and let her go first.

“What did you want?” Shel asked when they’d closed the door.

“I wanted to ask you who the old bat was that kept staring at us.” Brad visibly shuddered.

“That was Alice, she’s the bitch we’re supposed to call mom.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Isn’t she your mother?” Brad asked curiously.

“Oh hell no, my mother died when I was 10. I got put in foster care and this is where I’m stuck.” Shelby explained.

“Aren’t you 18? You should be able to leave.” Brad observed.

“I know, but I didn’t have any where else to go to finish school, but I’m out as soon as I can Sunday morning.” Shelby smiled at the thought of her freedom.

“Where ya headed?” Brad inquired.

“Orlando, I want nothing to do with this state,” Shelby shuddered.

“We’ll miss you at work.” Brad smiled.

“Yeah, who will you get to yell at,” Shelby smirked.

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that. I won’t yell at you anymore.” Brad looked down guiltily.

“Hey it’s ok. At least you’re nice now. I mean most people are rude all the time.” Shelby sighed.

“You know, Shelby, you’re a really sweet person. I’m glad I got a chance to talk to you. If you ever need to talk to someone or need something, look me up. But I got to go, c’mere.” Brad gave her a quick hug then got in his car and left.

“Well, that was interesting.” Shelby sighed then walked back inside.

She avoided Alice at all costs then went to bed.

“Shelby Lynn, get your ass out of bed and get to school. Your principal says you’re 10 minutes late.” Alice woke her up early.

“What?” Shelby whispered confused.

“Now Shelby,” Alice yelled.

Shelby got up and dressed in record time then drove to school. As soon as she walked in the door, she was ambushed.

“What took you so long, you’re late.” Tyler glared at her.

“Excuse me?” Shelby asked confused.

“Hello, graduation practice, we’ve been waiting for you.” Rod added.

“Oh, don’t you think you’re cool, sorry to burst you’re moment but nobody told me.” She rolled her eyes.

“You’re giving a speech you’re supposed to know these things.” Geri, a girl in her class replied rudely.

“Well excuse me if they didn’t tell me. If we have practice why didn’t you guys like do something?” Shelby pointed out.

“Because we were waiting for you freak.” Jeremy answered.

“Well I’m here now. So why don’t we start or something.” Shelby gestured.

“We have to wait for Mrs. Kaylor. She went to check on something.” Geri remarked.

“Whatever.” Shelby ignored them all and sat on the bleachers in the gym.

The class followed her and sat down as well.

“So, Shelby, what’s your speech about?” Geri pretended to be interested.

“Like you care,” Shelby answered.

“What the hell is your problem bitch?” Tyler smacked the back of her head.

“You are my problem.” Shelby answered staring straight ahead.

“Well no one talks to my girlfriend like that and gets away with it.” Tyler sneered grabbing her hair.

“Sorry to disappoint you but your girlfriend is a slut.” Shelby pointed out.

“So what if she’s a slut, at least she can get some. Unlike you, who couldn’t get someone even if you offered to pay. You’re just a fat cow who doesn’t have any friends-ya loser.” Tyler growled pulling her hair harder.

“Fuck off Tyler,” Shelby turned around and spit in his face.

The moment she did that the whole gym got quiet, waiting for Tyler’s reaction. He really shocked everyone by walking away and sat by Geri.

“Ok everyone, line up alphabetically in the hallway. The band is setting up so hurry up.” Mrs. Kaylor took over and everyone wandered into the hallway.

She explained how they would walk in according to the music.

“Let’s take it from the top.” The band played and they rehearsed it a few times.

“Shelby get up there and practice your speech.” Mrs. Kaylor suggested.

“Actually I was in a hurry this morning and I don’t have it with me.” Shelby looked away sheepishly.

“Oh, ok. That’s all right. Just make sure and practice at home. Make sure you’re here at 7:30 Saturday night in the history room.” Mrs. Kaylor smiled then walked off.

Shelby walked through the halls one more time in reminiscence then headed out. She saw a figure standing by her car she thought about what she’d said and done to Tyler and began to get nervous. A few feet away from the car she relaxed.

“What are you doing here? Didn’t you know that it’s un-cool for college students to show up at high school?” Shelby told him.

“Hey Shelby. Do I look like I care besides people like me, it doesn’t matter.” Brad turned around and smiled.

“Ok then, what brings you to this neck of the woods?” she asked curiously.

“I was driving by and I thought I’d stop and say hey.” Brad replied.

“Really, you just so happened to be here right now? Brad what did you want?” Shelby smirked.

“Ok, I was wondering if you wanted to work a few extra hours tonight.” Brad glanced away sheepishly.

“Why? Today is Tuesday, Tuesdays are never busy.” Shelby looked at him skeptically.

“Ok, you got me. I had to work extra hours and I was just kind of hoping we could I don’t know talk or something.” Brad shrugged.

“Why are you suddenly being so nice? If this is about yesterday, I told you it was ok.” Shelby reassured him.

“It’s not that, after talking to you last night, I was intrigued. I just wanted to get to know you better.” Brad confessed.

“I’m leaving Sunday.” Shelby reminded him.

“I know, it’s just”I don’t know.” Brad shrugged again.

“Tell ya what, if I’m not doing anything I’ll come, what time?”

“You’re scheduled to work 7-12, but if you want you can come in at 5.” Brad replied.

“Ok, I might be there and I might not.” Shel smiled then got into her car.

“See ya tonight.” Brad smiled.

“Later.”

Brad got into his car and grinned. He dialed a number in his cell phone and waited for them to pick up.

“Yeah, it’s Brad I think we’re all set. Possibly 5 but 7 for sure. Ok, thanks, you bet.”

Brad hung up the phone and started his care, smiling at his reflection. Pulling out he tried to ignore the gnawing feeling in the pit of his stomach. He watched Shelby’s car drive down the road and felt a slight pang of regret.
Chapter 2 by Leeann
“Hey Justin, are you going out after rehearsals tonight?” Joey asked plopping down on the bus couch.

“I don’t know, I’ll think about it.” Justin replied despondently.

“Come on J you got to snap out of it. If she said she wanted to take a break then that probably means she still loves you, don’t give up buddy.” JC consoled his friend.

“I just love her so much. I can’t believe this is all happening, last I knew we were the happy couple in love but today I’m the heartbroken heartthrob.” Justin shook his head.

“Little modest J?” Joey tried to tease.

“Two and a half years. Did it mean anything to her at all? This might be a little easier if I didn’t love her so damn much. I’m sorry for this guys I didn’t mean to get so sappy.” Justin sighed apologetically.

“Don’t worry about it Justin we’re always here for you.” JC reassured him.

“Where’s Chris? He’s usually in on these little group powwows, Lance too, but he’s sleeping. I heard him snoring earlier.” Justin wondered.

“I think he’s sleeping to.” Joey added.

“Alone I hope.” JC tried to get Justin to smile.

Watching his friend go thru this heartache was hard. Justin blamed himself constantly, beating himself up for nothing. No matter what JC or any of the other guys said, Justin’s feelings stayed the same.

JC figured Britney had her reasons for breaking up with Justin but whatever it was, it was tearing him apart. As far as he knew, she wasn’t exactly seeing anyone else.

For the past two and a half years he’d watched the young couple grow up together, growing much more in love each day. They were the perfect couple, the relationship JC wished every day that he had. They had the Cory and Topanga relationship”the couple everyone envied.

“When do we get done rehearsing to go home for a while?” Chris asked coming into the room.

“Wade thinks everything has to be perfect so I don’t think he’ll even let us near Orlando until next Wednesday.” JC replied.

“Actually I heard that if we do good tonight he’ll spring us tomorrow.” Joey shared his info.

“Are you serious? That would be sweet. A lot of school’s graduation is Saturday and Sunday. It’s better to get done before they get out and then we don’t have to worry about them coming around while we rehearse.” JC observed.

“We’ll still have to worry about it--just not here in Tampa. All next week we practice in Orlando. Wades already got an airplane hanger rented for all next week. After that we head to NYC to start a weeks worth of publicity, then back to Orlando to kick off the tour.” Lance said coming out of the bunk area.

“Dude, that’s a lot of running around.” Joey pouted.

“Get used to it Joe, welcome to the next few months.” Justin gestured.

“Hey guys, did you know that there’s a Kenny Chesney concert tonight?” Lance asked.

“Who’s that?” JC asked.

“He’s like an awesome country singer.” Lance smiled.

“Country, oh please Lance.” Justin rolled his eyes.

“Hey you of all people should have at least some respect for country music, you are from Tennessee.” Lance scolded.

“Yeah whatever,” Justin snapped.

“What does he sing?” Chris asked.

“She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy, and one of his newer songs is Young.” Lance explained.

“That first song was funny.” Joey smiled.

“I wanted to go to the concert, but they were sold out.” Lance frowned.

“Dude, you’re Lance Bass, Nsync member. I bet you could get to the show AND backstage.”

“I’m not going use my name just to get into a Kenny Chesney concert. I’m not that freaking desperate, geez.” Lance shook his head at the thought.

“Who would you use your name to see?” Joey asked curiously.

“If Garth hadn’t stopped touring then him for one, Janet Jackson, No Doubt, P. Diddy, and probably others.” Lance replied.

“Do you think they’d let you in?” Justin wondered.

“Honestly? Probably not, No Doubt would be like who are you again? Janet might let me in. P.Diddy might he’s pretty cool.” Lance chuckled.

“I’d like to see Marilyn Manson in concert, just to see if he’s as scary as he appears to be. Who knows he’s probably a nice guy underneath all that black.” Chris smiled.

“There’s nothing wrong with Manson, he just says it how it is. He’s got some good tunes.” Justin defended.

“You like him?” Chris asked surprised.

“Yeah, I like Dope Show, Beautiful People, Fight Song, Disposable Teens, Last day on Earth-that’s a good song.” Justin smiled thinking about the song.

“I think the guy is just creepy.” JC shuddered.

“I second that dude.” Joey agreed with JC.

“Who would you see JC?” Justin challenged.

“Delirious.” JC grinned.

“Who’s Delirious?” Joey wondered.

“They’re a Praise and Worship band. A fan gave me a CD and I listened to it. They have some awesome songs, one in particular that I like is called Did You Feel The
Mountains Tremble. That was what she recommended.” JC smiled.

“Cool, you’ll have to loan me the CD sometime.” Joey suggested.

“Sure, and who would you see?” JC asked Joey.

“I would absolutely love to see Elton John live. He’s absolutely cool. Especially back when he wore all them crazy glasses.” Joey giggled when he let the memory take
course.

“He’s a really great singer and song writer. I loved the duet he did with Eminem at the ’01 Grammy’s.” JC agreed.

“Justin who would you like to see live?” Lance asked.

“I’d like to see the Spice Girls.” Justin replied sarcastically.

“Really? Me too, that Baby Spice is a hottie.” Joey smirked.

“Ok, but really I’d like to see Whitney Houston. That woman can sing-whooeee.” Justin whistled.

“Wouldn’t you guys like to step out for a second and see how we look in concert?” JC piped up.

“Like you mean to see us through a fan’s perspective?” Lance caught on quickly.

“Yeah, that’s exactly it. Wouldn’t you like to see what we really look and sound like?” JC agreed.

“I don’t know what if we didn’t like us.” Justin replied skeptically.

“I’d just like to see how we sound.” Chris sighed.

“Guys, I’m hungry, let’s go find something to eat.” Justin suggested standing up.

“I’ll definitely second that one.” Joey agreed standing up as well.

They grabbed their sunglasses and headed to the Subway down the street, their bodyguards following a short distance behind.

Justin Timberlake, Joey Fatone, Chris Kirkpatrick, Joshua Chasez, and Lance Bass; 5 of the hottest guys in music, together they made up Nsync

Justin was recently single, his girlfriend of two and a half years, Britney Spears, broke up with him, leaving him heart broken and desolate. He’d always imagined them getting married and having kids. They’d talked about it before and both of them wanted a family.

Justin had met Britney when they were young they were both on the Mickey Mouse Club. They’d been good friends on the show but then had to part ways after the show was cancelled. Justin went back to Memphis, Britney to Kentwood. A few years later Justin was a part of Nsync and Britney Spears was a household name. Britney was an opener for Nsync shows and when they saw each other again there was a strong attraction between them both that either of them could ignore. They hooked up and had been together up until last week. Britney had told him that she needed time to find herself and couldn’t handle a full time boyfriend when she couldn’t ever see him.

They’d parted ways, leaving Justin a walking mess. For some reason he blamed himself. Maybe he wasn’t good enough, maybe she’d found someone else.

The past five days were hard for Justin. He’d snapped at everyone possible for the smallest things. Some people didn’t even know what was going on and just thought he was like that. The people that did know what happened had excused him and sympathized with him.

_________________

Minot-5:00pm

“Hey Shel glad you could make it early.” Brad smiled when she walked in.

“Yeah well I guess I could use the hours.” Shelby shrugged.

“Well, I’m glad you came.” He replied.

Shelby clocked in and got ready for a boring shift.

They didn’t have many customers until about 7, giving Brad and Shel time to talk a little.

“Shel, table 5 is requesting you.” Brad told her.

“Ok, be right there. Here’s your change ma’am, you have yourself a nice day.” Shelby smiled then closed the cash register.

“5?”

“Yeah.”

Shelby walked over to table five with menus.

“Thanks for choosing Denny’s can I take you’re order?”

“We’ll talk a pitcher of water and 3 chocolate shakes.” Tyler said sweetly.

“Ok, I’ll have those right with you.” Shelby gritted her teeth

She shuddered as she walked behind the counter to get their drinks.

She returned several minutes later and set down their beverages.

“Are you ready to order?” she asked holding her pad and pen.

“Yes.” Rod mumbled.

They all ordered and Shel took it back and made sure she stayed back there as long as she could.

“Shelby 5 is asking for you.” Brad’s voice called out.

“Ok, be right there.” Shelby answered loudly.

Shelby splashed water on her face then went to see what they wanted.

“How can I help you?” she asked.

“You can start by cleaning up this mess.” Jeremy gestured.

“What mess?” Shelby asked confused.

“This mess,” Tyler responded pouring his shake over her head. Rod and Jeremy followed but poured theirs on her clothes.

Shelby jumped back then was hit with the water, she was drenched and covered in chocolate shake.

Tyler grabbed her by the hair and slapped her hard across the face a few times then smashed her face into the table causing her to cry out. She slumped to the floor the tears flowing freely.

Brad heard Shelby scream then ran out just in time to see her fall to the ground.

“Get the hell out of here you weren’t supposed to hurt her.” Brad yelled kicking them out.

“Shelby, honey, are you ok?” Brad gingerly touched her back.

“Don’t touch me,” she sniffed.

“Why?” she demanded looking up at him.

He saw blood running from her nose and a small cut on her lip.

“I told them what time you were coming in but I had no idea what they were going do.” Brad replied remorsefully.

“You knew they were planning something?” Shelby whispered the accusation, confusion in her eyes.

“Yeah, but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think it was going be something like this.” Brad answered truthfully.

“Is that why you were trying to befriend me?” Shelby asked, everything starting to come into focus.

“It started out to be, but then I really got to know you.” Brad admitted guiltily.

“I quit, I’m going home and I’m not coming back. Please have my check ready by Saturday. I’ll come get it after graduation.” Shelby stood up and walked out the
door leaving Brad standing there looking at the spot she just vacated.

Shelby went straight home and took a shower. She turned her music on to ‘Last Day on Earth’ by Manson, the only song she owned. She felt the pressure begin to build as the tears fell freely once more. She dug around until she found the small razor blade she pressed the cool blade to her skin and slid across a long line. She repeated this several times and watched the blood appear and began to feel relief while listening to what had become her theme song. It was one of the few slow songs Manson sung, her absolute favorite song. She felt the lyrics were related to her.

_______________

Back in South Florida

“Come on Justin, focus. This is your time, you live for the stage, give it your all.” Wade called out.

“It’s rehearsal Wade, chill.” Justin grinned, his stage presence filling his body.

“If it’s just rehearsal why did that glow return to your face J-man. Now give it all ya got.” Wade clapped.

“Hey what about us, we’re members of Nsync too.” Joey pouted playfully.

“Ok Joey, you asked for it. Joseph Fatone, you need to fix your sloppy dancing. Fix those arm locks and everything else needs work too.” Wade smirked sarcastically.

“Ok, Robson, I get the point. But hey if I do awful you can take my place right? Pop star yourself.” Joey winked.

“Ok guys lets take it from the top.” Wade cued the music and Girlfriend sounded thru the speakers.

Practicing for their upcoming tour was an ongoing responsibility. They had to have everything just right. Granted, every show would be a show of it’s own but they
needed to practice their routines and the way the show would run. Next week back in Orlando, they’d practice costume changes and the whole nine yards.

“Ok guys, good job, that’s all for tonight. We’ll be leaving sometime tomorrow. I think you guys are doing great. We won’t have to worry about distractions because we got most of the kinks worked out.” Wade smiled, dismissing the now rambunctious gang.

“Free!” Joey shouted running around the stage.

“Joey, calm down.” JC chuckled.

“Ack, you’re no fun.” Joey said jumping up and down.

“Whatever man.” JC responded.

“Hey Justin, your phone’s ringing.” Chris pointed to his ringing bag.

Justin ran to his bag and answered his phone.

“Hello?”

“Hello Mr. Timberlake, this is John from BOP magazine, is it true that you and Britney broke up?” the man demanded rudely.

“Excuse me sir, but it’s none of your business, don’t call back.” Justin hung up his phone and ran his fingers thru his hair.

“You ok man?” JC asked coming up behind him.

“I’m so sick of this Britney shit. That was a reporter they all want to know what happened. I just want peace.” Justin sighed loudly.

“Get a new cell phone number and don’t give it out to anyone but close friends and family.” JC suggested.

“That sounds like a good idea. I’ll stop by when we get home.” Justin agreed nodding.

“Are you doing anything tonight?” JC asked changing the subject.

“I don’t know, what are the rest of y’all doing?” Justin wondered.

“We’re all going out. You’re welcome to come if you’d like.” JC offered.

“Yeah, I think that’ll be ok.” Justin agreed.

“Ok good to hear, maybe you’ll even meet someone.” JC watched his friends face, just waiting for a reaction.

“I doubt it, most girls don’t want me they want him.” Justin grimaced, gesturing to the stage.

“You’re the same person.” JC pointed out.

“No, they don’t want Justin, they want Justin Timberlake. That’s why Britney was so different, she knew me before she knew Justin Timberlake. I swear man, next
time I mention her smack me. I’ll never get over her if I keep talking about her.” Justin told JC.

“I’ll make sure of it.” Joey bounced up very hyper.

“Heh heh Joey thank you.” Justin glanced at his friend.

“So are you coming out with us tonight, J-man?” Joey asked slinging his arm around the younger mans shoulder.

“I guess, is Kelly going be there?” Justin asked curious about Joey’s girlfriend.

“Yeah, her mom’s babysitting Brianna tonight. Poor Kel needed a break she’s been doing it alone. I feel horrible for not being there enough.” Joey answered ruefully.

“Yeah, I know that feeling.” Justin shrugged feeling the emotions thicken.

“You and I are kinsman J. We have to stick together.” Joey rubbed Justin’s curls and smiled.

“You keep her Joey, never let her go.” Justin smiled wistfully.

“Thanks J. What do you say we get out of here?” Joey told the whole group.

“I’m all for it.” Chris clicked his heels and lead the pack out the door.

“The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.” JC chanted on the way to the bus.

___________________

(Minot)

“Yesterday was a million years ago all my past lives I played an asshole…now we’re damaged provider modules I know they want me dead. I know it’s the last day on earth. We’ll be together while the planet dies. I’m so empty here without you. It’s the last day on earth.” Shelby quietly sang along, staring straight ahead, her mind wondering aimlessly. She picked up her journal and opened it up.

May 22, 2002

It’s me again. Why do I even bother? This world is so morbid, this utopia I’ve imagined in my mind seems to be nonexistent. I sit here and listen to Last Day on Earth and realize this very well could be my last day on earth. What if even God doesn’t like me? He could strike me dead at any time. Put me out of my misery.

I heard a song once, ‘Why have you forsaken me, in my eyes forsaken you, in my life forsaken me’ have I been forsaken? Did I commit some cardinal sin that I’m now paying for? I trusted Brad, I thought he was really nice. He just used me, have I been forsaken? My mom left me when I was 10. Maybe that man who was my step father made me sin. What is sin really? I don’t know God I’ve never been given a chance. Mom used to be such a wonderful woman. She’s my angel she’s in heaven watching over me.

Hi mom. I’m sorry for being a failure. I have to go, my song is skipping and I have to sleep 4 more days. Please mom, if you’re out there, I pray send me a miracle”before it’s too late.


Shelby put away her journal and shut out her light. She let the tears fall and cried herself to sleep.

_______________

(South Florida)

“Hurry up Justin! We’re going to be late.” Joey called impatiently.

“It’s not like we’re on a time schedule.” Justin said fixing his hair.

“Whatever Justin, listen to my man when he talks.” Kelly wrapped an arm around Joey’s waist.

“Ok Kelly, I’m done anyway. You guys are so cute together.” Justin smiled at the couple.

“Thanks Justin, we better jet, the others are probably starting to pace the floor.” Joey smirked.

They laughed and headed downstairs. To their amusement JC and Chris were both pacing the floor in anticipation.

They arrived at the packed club about 20 minutes later, making it in by the tip of their fingers. The bouncer stopped accepting people after the last one went thru the doors.

“This is awesome.” Kelly shouted to be heard.

“Yeah baby, let’s go dance.” Joey answered.

They all left their things by the table and went onto the dance floor.

The song was Cowboy by Kid Rock. Everyone in the place was on the dance floor hanging out the way they knew how, dancing without caring about anyone else.

“Dance with me Justin.” Kelly demanded about an hour later.

“I don’t want to.” Justin grunted.

“You’ve been moping around her at the table ever since they played ‘Slave’. Now get up and dance with me.” Kelly dragged him onto the dance floor as Haddaways
‘What is Love’ came on.

“What is love, baby don’t hurt me.” Kelly sang along as she danced around Justin who wasn’t cooperating very well.

Justin was starting to loosen up and get into it when Right Said Fred’s ‘I’m Too Sexy’ came on.

“I’m too sexy for my shirt, to sexy for my shirt, so sexy yeah.” Justin sang loudly getting into it.

“Alright, work it Justin.” Joey laughed dancing with them.

“I’m a model you know what I mean.” JC watched on as Justin sang and danced to ‘I’m Too Sexy’. His young friend was acting like the Justin they all knew and
loved.

“You want to dance?” a girl asked Justin softly.

“Sure.” Justin smiled.

To Justin’s dismay ‘Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman’ came over the speakers. He tried to appear nonchalant but the girl seemed to sense something was wrong.

“Are you ok?” she asked carefully.

“Yeah, I’m sorry.” Justin straightened up and stiffly danced with her, looking everywhere but at her.

Justin walked back to the table and sat down. He took a long swig of water and sighed.

“You really need to get a grip Timberlake. You scared off that poor girl.” Justin raked his fingers thru his hair.

“Justin what’s up?” JC asked sitting next to him.

“There was a really nice girl who asked me to dance and we danced to ‘Not a Girl’. She knew something was wrong, but I’m pretty sure she knew who I was. I
could see the recognition in her eyes. I’ve got serious problems man.” Justin sighed.

“Justin you’re not going to heal overnight. Just give it time. Go for a while without thinking about her and if you ever need to talk you know where to find me.” JC
sipped his lime water and left it open for Justin to talk to if he wanted.

“Thanks bro,” Justin nodded.

“I do what I can.” JC smiled.

“I’m going get out of here.” Justin said getting up.

“Ok, later J. We’re just camping out on the bus tonight.” JC explained.

“Ok, I’ll see ya.” Justin got up and walked out.

“Hey Justin,” Mike walked with him.

“Hey Mike,” he mumbled.

“Making my job more difficult for me?” Mike chuckled.

“Yeah, I wanted to leave early.” Justin shrugged.

“It’s ok man.”

They walked in silence the rest of the way back to the bus.

“Night J.” Mike stopped.

“Night, Mike.” Justin walked up the steps Mike closed the door behind him.

Justin changed into some sweatpants with a big sweatshirt over a white wife beater. He lay on his bunk and stared up at the ceiling. He looked at the time 10:30 he
dialed the numbers and prayed she’d be up still.

“Hello?” the voice answered.

“Hey mom,” Justin closed his eyes.

“What’s wrong honey?” Lynn asked knowingly.

“I miss her something bad.” Justin answered.

“I’m sorry honey,” Lynn sympathized with him.

“I just miss hearing her voice. I mean I could call her up anytime and talk to her for hours. Now I can’t even call her.” Justin let the tears he’d been holding all day fall
freely.

“It’s all part of growing up honey it’s like high school relationships you can’t expect that to last forever. You’ve practically been in love with her all your teenage
years.” Lynn reminded him.

“Not really.”

“Well you’re 21 and you’ve been with her sine you were almost 19. These are your most critical years. Just keep you’re chin up sweetie and remember I’m always a
phone call away.” Lynn offered.

“I know mom, thanks. I really appreciate ya letting me vent like that. But what’s new with you?” Justin changed the subject.

“Not a whole lot. Oh, I was meaning to tell you about something I got in the mail today. It’s called celebritherapy. They send someone out with a celebrity to learn and to recover from whatever their problem is. If you signed up they’d send someone on tour with you guys. You’d work with them and try to get them out of their problems. You could really help someone Justin.” Lynn explained the best she could.

“That actually does sound kind of interesting, keep that thing, I’ll read it when we get home tomorrow.” Justin answered clearly intrigued.

“Will do, what time will you be here?”

“I’m not sure. Wade said we’ll leave sometime in the morning.” Justin yawned.

“You sound tired honey. I’ll let you go, goodnight.” Lynn smiled.

“Thanks mom, love you night.” Justin hung up the phone and flipped on his bunk light.

Above him were pictures of him and Britney. He smiled wistfully and gingerly touched one. For the first time he realized he had to get over her. He carefully took them down and put them under his pillow for the time being.

He rolled over and hoped sleep would be soon to come.

“Justin wake up, you sleepy head.” A voice shouted into his oblivion.

“I’m still sleeping, go away.” Justin mumbled rolling over.

“We’re home. It’s noon and we’re back in Orlando. I guess you can sleep if you’d like.” JC smirked.

“Home?” Justin sat up.

“Yeah, we didn’t want to wake you when we left this morning.” JC gestured and shrugged.

“Cool. Do we have the rest of the day off?” Justin asked putting all his stuff together.

“Today’s Thursday?”

“Yeah, why?” JC wondered.

“No reason, just making sure.” Justin grabbed everything then exited the bus.

“Hey honey,” Lynn hugged him before he even realized she was there.

“Hey mom, my hands are kind of full.” Justin said from under his pile of blankets, pillow, and his duffel bag.

“Sorry, the cars around the corner, and your dad dropped of the monsters today. Hey JC! How you doing,” Lynn smiled hugging the young man she’d long considered a son.

“I’m doing ok, little worried about Justin though. He withdraws too much.” JC shrugged.

“Yeah, I figured that would happen.” Lynn sighed loudly.

“We’ll all get through it Lynn. Everything’s going to be ok.” JC assured her.

“Thanks JC. Are you coming to the house for supper?”

“What are you having?”

“You ask me that every time and every time I say food. Hasn’t changed any, we’re having food.” Lynn smiled.

“You know I’ll be there Lynn.” JC leaned down and kissed her on the cheek.

“See you Jace.”

“Mom, hurry up.” Justin called.

“Coming,” Lynn waved to the other guys then walked towards the vehicle.

“What do you want for supper?” she asked Justin on their way.

“Don’t matter.”

“JC’s coming over.”

“He always does.”

“Can you form a sentence longer than 3 words?” Lynn teased.

“Yeah, I think so.”

“Well, look at that, 4 words. Slow down Justin I can’t catch up.” Lynn tried to get him to smile.

To her dismay he just continued to stare absentmindedly out the window.

“Britney, what did you do to my son.” Lynn thought silently.

“Mom, slow down.” Justin broke her from her reverie.

“Why?”

“Because you’re going 65 in a 45 and there’s a cop trying to pull you over.”

Lynn looked in the mirror and sighed. She pulled over to the side of the road and waited for the officer.

“The reason I stopped you was the fact that you were- hey aren’t you that Nsync guy?” the officer spotted Justin.

“That’s me.” Justin waved.

“Can I have your autograph for my daughter? She’s a big fan.”

“Sure, what’s her name?” Justin smiled.

“Stephanie.” Justin wrote the autograph and handed it to him.

“You folks have a nice day and try to watch the limit next time.” The officer walked off and drove away.

“What just happened here?” Lynn looked out her window then back at Justin.

“I think we just made his day.” Justin smirked.

“Man, Justin, you got to be with me every time I get a ticket.” Lynn laughed.

“If you say so mom. You could always flash a picture of me and ramble on about how great your son was.” Justin suggested.

“Oh yeah, as if,” Lynn rolled her eyes.

“Well you’re no fun.” Justin pouted playfully.

“You need anything before we go home?” Lynn asked.

“Yeah, stop by Cellular One, I need to get a new phone number.” Justin gestured out the window.

“Ok, next stop, Cell One.” Lynn pulled on her imaginary horn hanging from the ceiling.

“You’re crazy mom. How are the brats?” Justin smiled.

“You’re brothers are just as rambunctious as the last time your father brought them. Jon is actually a 3rd grader now. ” Lynn smiled.

“Mom, I knew Jon was in 3rd grade. I picked him up when we were down there.” Justin retorted getting huffy.

“Don’t get your underwear in a bunch, we’re here.” Lynn chided pulling into the parking lot.

“Be back in a few.” Justin got out of the car and walked into the building.

“How may I help you sir?” a young gentleman asked.

“Yes, James, I need a new number.” Justin read the guys nametag.

“Ok, come this way, you just need to fill out a few papers.” James led him to a cubical and sat down behind a desk.

Justin sat down and waited for him to get ready.

“Ok, you just need to fill these out and we’ll put some information in and see if we can’t get you a new number.” James handed him some forms and Justin quickly filled them out.

“I need a private unlisted number. I don’t want anyone to be able to find out unless I give it to them or give permission.” Justin handed him the papers.

“Ok, to get a completely private number it costs $50. Is that ok?” James asked.

“Yeah, sounds good.” Justin nodded.

“Ok, let me just plug all this into the computer and we’ll get you that number.” James went to typing all the info in.

Justin looked around the scantly decorated cube and shuddered.

“No offence dude, but you should really get out of here. This office work would drive my insane.” Justin told him as nice as he could.

“Tell me about it man, the only reason I’m here is to put myself through college.” James agreed.

“Sweet, what’s your major?” Justin asked.

“My major is Criminal Justice and I hope to go into law school.” James answered a smile on his face.

“Awesome, best of luck to you man, look me up if you ever need any help. I’ll do what I can.” Justin offered.

“Ok, thanks. Here’s you’re new number and the $50 will be added to your next bill. Did you want an alias name put behind this number just in case?” James suggested.

“Hey, that’s a good idea.” Justin nodded in agreement.

“Got a name?”

“Um, William Jackson.” Justin shrugged.

“Uh huh, ok…interesting.” James smirked and entered it into the computer.

“Ok, that’s all we need you have a nice day.” James stood up and shook his hand.

Justin walked out to the car and hopped in.

“Did you get your number?” Lynn asked starting the car.

“Yeah,” Justin put his sunglasses on and shrunk down in his seat.

“Going to give it to me?” Lynn glanced at him.

“No mom, I’m going to go the whole tour without talking to you. Of course I’m going to give it to you.” Justin retorted sarcastically.

“Don’t get smart with me young man.” Lynn warned.

“Sorry mom.” Justin said guiltily.

The rest of the ride was made in silence.

“Justin!” the little voices shouted.

“Hey guys, did you have to tackle me?” Justin laughed from beneath the pile.

“Yes.” Steven smiled a toothy grin.

“Well how about letting me up fella’s.” Justin said pushing himself up.

“Justin, guess what!” the little voice on his left asked him.

“What Jon?” Justin whispered back.

“I have a girlfriend.” Jon smiled shyly.

“You do? Does daddy know about this girlfriend?” Justin glanced up at his mother.

“He picks her up everyday on the way to school.” Lynn winked.

“She even likes bugs Justin.” Jon added eyes as big as saucers.

“Those are rare ones, better hold onto her Jon.” Justin kissed his brother on the forehead, his heard swelling with love for his younger brothers.

“I want kiss too.” Steve demanded pointing to his forehead.

“Ok buddy.” Justin grabbed his head and gave him a big wet kiss.

“I’m going to go put my things away, do I have any helpers?” Justin stood up.

“Me, me!” Steven sprung to his feet and puffed out his little chest.

“I’ll take you’re blanket.” Jon volunteered.

“Me take pillow.” Steve grabbed his pillow.

“Fall in line troops, march. Left, right, left.” Justin led them to his room where they helped him unload his things and they all lounged on Justin’s bed and talked about
guy things.

“Justin, JC’s here.” Lynn called hours later.

“Yeah, he’s excited to see me.” JC chuckled several minutes later after Lynn’s call.

“Let’s go see what he’s up too.” Lynn motioned for JC to follow.

The sight before them was enough to bring Lynn to tears. Justin lay sleeping among his brothers who were snuggled against each side.

“Come on Lynn, let’s just go hang out. I don’t have the heart to break this.” JC draped an arm across her shoulder.

“Good idea. They looked so cute.” Lynn sniffed, clearing her eyes.

“They don’t get to see him very often. I bet it’s hard on them.” JC observed.

“Yeah, their father tells me about times when they are crying and hurt they call out for Justin. It tears Justin apart to know he can’t be with them much.” Lynn sighed.

“You need any help with dinner?” JC asked ready to offer assistance.

“Sure, how are you at salads?” Lynn smiled.

“I make a mean salad.” JC rubbed his hands together and smiled.

“Good because it’s all up to you.” Lynn smirked, then gave him all the ingredients.

JC went to chopping vegetables as Lynn began frying chicken breasts. She peeled potatoes for mashing and set them to boil. JC continuing with the veggies Lynn set
the table.

“Will you stir the spuds Jace?” Lynn called from the table.

“Will do. The chicken’s fixin to be turned too.” JC noticed.

“Get them for me will ya?”

JC flipped the chicken then lay out the salad.

“Did you want these in separate containers or all in one bowl?” JC asked.

“Just put everything in one bowl.” Lynn agreed.

“Something smells good, hey JC.” Justin entered the kitchen, his two sidekicks right behind him.

“Hi JC,” Steven whispered hiding behind Justin.

“Hey, Steven, you want to go wash you’re hands? We’ll be eating soon.” JC smiled.

“Come on you trouble makers.” Justin gathered his troops and set out to get washed up.

“I can’t reach.” Steven pointed to the towel hanging inches above his reach.

“Jon, help your bro.” Justin pointed to the towel.

“This looks delicious guys.” Justin said when they’d all sat down to eat.

“Thanks, JC made the salad.” Lynn smirked filling her own and the two youngins plate.

JC and Lynn sent the guys into the kitchen for cleaning up considering they slept thru the preparations.

Justin did most of the work, his arms working faster then their chubby little ones.

“Ok, guys, go see Lynn now.” Justin pointed to the living room.

“Time for bed guys,” Lynn smiled.

“I’m not tired.” Jon yawned.

“Come on fellas, I’ll go tuck you in.” Justin offered.

“Ok, come on Jon.” Steve drug his brother behind him.

They said their prayer’s and had Justin read them a story.

“Goodnight guys.” Justin whispered shutting the light off.
Chapter 3 by Leeann
Shelby slept in Thursday until way past noon. It was drugged sleep, caused by too many tears. She woke up with a loud bang next door.

“Great.” She whispered opening her eyes.

“Nancy, get out of the shower and get to school.” Alice yelled beating on the bathroom door.

“Go away.” Nancy cried.

“If the school calls I’m not sticking up for you.” With that said, Alice left her alone.

Shelby heard sniffling come from the bathroom and knocked softly.

“Nancy? It’s Shelby, are you ok?” she asked quietly.

“GO away.” She sniffed.

“Open up honey, what’s wrong?” Shel asked.

Nancy opened the door a crack and let her in then locked the door behind her.

“I’m dying.” The tears fell again.

“Why do you say that honey?” Shel inquired trying to stay calm.

“Because I’m bleeding really badly and it hasn’t stopped.” Nancy sighed.

“You’re 12 right?” Shel calculated.

“Yeah.”

“You’re not dying Nancy, you’re just growing up. You got you’re first period. It lasts 5-7 days. Just put a pad on and change your underwear. You might get wicked
cramps, for those you can take Midol or Advil any pain reliever. You want a ride to school?” Shelby explained.

“Yeah, I have a history test today.” Nancy sniffed getting up.

“Meet me outside in 10 minutes.” Shelby stood up.

She changed her clothes and went to start her car.

“Hey, are you feeling at least somewhat better?” Shel asked on their way.

“Yes thanks, I took some Advil and put one of those uncomfortable things. Feels like a damn diaper.” Nancy shuddered.

“Watch you’re language missy.” Shelby warned.

“Sorry Shel, do you ever get sick of Alice?” Nancy asked.

“Goodness, all the time. Here we are. You have a good day in school. Tell you what I’ll pick you up after school and we’ll have a girl’s day out.” Shel smiled.

“Ok, see you later.” Nancy beamed then closed the door.

Shelby realized this was one of the last days she’d have to spend with her foster sister.

She went home and practiced her speech a few times just trying to kill time before she went to pick up Nancy.

Just the phone rang, scaring Shelby to death.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Shel, I’m really sorry.” Brad answered.

“If you were sorry, you wouldn’t have set me up.” Shelby then slammed the phone down.

“What now?” she picked it back up.

“My girlfriend and I got back together.” Brad told her.

“Why would you want her back when she’s pregnant with your friend’s kid?” Shelby asked set a back.

“I love her, she said she was sorry.”

“Are you going take care of his kid too? Brad dump her you deserve better.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“I love her too much.” Brad sighed.

“Thank about this, did she love you when she was in your best friends bed? I don’t want to be mean but you know what they say, ‘once a cheater, always’ a cheater’.”
Shel explained the best she could.

“When you make it sound like that...” Brad added hesitantly.

“It doesn’t just sound like that Brad, it is like that. Don’t let her hurt you again.”

“Thanks Shelby, I needed that.” Shelby could tell he was smiling just by the tone of his voice.

“I got to get going. I’m picking up my sister at school then we’re going to hang out. Imagine that, I’m hanging out with one of them. You know what? She even asked
me if I ever got sick of Alice. That surprised the hell out of me.” Shelby laughed.

“Wow, intense.” Brad agreed.

“See you Brad.” Shelby hung up the phone and grabbed her keys. She went out to her car and pulled up to the school 10 minutes later.

“Hey Shelby,” Nancy got in the car right away slamming the door.

“Hey Nancy, how are you feeling?” Shelby asked.

“Great, Jason looked at me and smiled twice today. I thought I was going die.” Nancy smiled brightly.

“Who’s Jason?” Shel inquired pulling out of the parking lot.

“He’s like the cutest boy in 8th grade.” Nancy beamed.

“Oh, going for the older men huh?” Shelby teased.

“He’s only one grade older.” Nancy dismissed it.

“Yeah, I know, I just had to tease you a bit. So where do you want to go?” Shel glanced at Nancy.

“Lets go chill at the mall, Jason said he might be there with his brother.” Nancy answered quickly.

“Ok, the mall it is.” Shelby turned down the right road and listened to Nancy talk about her crush.

“I haven’t been here in a while, Alice never takes us.” Nancy said getting out of the car.

“Alice is just a bitch who collects money on us.” Shel rolled her eyes.

“Come on.” Nancy walked fast, dragging Shelby who was trying to keep up.

First they went into a few stores just browsing. In Deb, Nancy found a belt she just had to have.

“This is sweet.” Nancy held up a black belt with silver circles.

“You can get it if you’d like.” Shelby suggested.

“Really? Oh my gosh awesome.” Nancy stared at Shelby unbelievingly.

“Of course, you want to get a haircut while we’re here?”

“Could I get it short and spiky? I’d love to dye it pink with black tips.” Nancy beamed.

“Are you punking out?” Shel chuckled.

“Yes, I love that style. They’re some freshmen that wear spiked collars. I think they’re cool.”

Shelby paid for the belt and they headed towards MasterCut for an appointment.

“Do you guys have time for a cut? And by any chance do you have pink hair dye?” Shelby asked.

“Yes, and yes.” The woman smiled.

“OK we’ll take an appointment for dying and a cut.” Shelby told the woman.

“Our next opening is at 4:45.”

“That sounds great, name’s Nancy.” Shelby smiled.

“Did you make it?” Nancy asked.

“Yep, at 4:45 and you get pink spikes.

“No way! Alice would never approve.” Nancy stood jaw dropped shock.

“Alice isn’t here right now, I am. We all have to live a little right?” Shelby replied.

“Why don’t you a live a little Shelby? You should do the same thing to your hair.”

“I don’t know Nancy, who’s to say pinks my color.” Shelby smiled.

“Black, you should dye it black. Go back and make an appointment for yourself.’ Nancy gestured to the shop.

“Ok, you win.” Shelby went back and made an appointment for the same time; cut and die.

“Oh, my gosh, there’s Jason. Walk towards him.” Nancy nudged Shelby.

“Him?” Shel pointed making sure it was the same one she was looking at.

“Yes, isn’t he cute,” Nancy smiled dreamy.

“Uh huh, if you say so,” Shelby nodded absent-mindedly.

“That must be his brother.” Nancy pointed to the guy standing with his back turned.

“Could be,” Shel nodded.

Nancy sat down on a bench a few feet away and pretended not to notice them standing there.

“Why don’t you just go say hi?” Shel wondered looking at him.

“Shel, that would be to obvious.” Nancy retorted.

“If you say so.” Shelby shrugged.

“His brother is in college.” Nancy randomly put out there.

“Kool.” Shelby nodded.

“Yep, he looks cute doesn’t he.”

“He’s got his back turned so I don’t know.”

“Not him, Jason.”

“Sure.” Shelby smirked.

“Shelby?” a masculine voice called her name.

“Oh, my gosh, he’s coming over here.” Nancy nudged Shel.

Shelby looked at the approaching figures and smiled.

“Hey Brad.” She stood up.

“What are you doing here?” Brad asked stopping next to them.

“Just hanging out with my sister.” Shelby gestured to her sister.

“What a coincidence, I’m here with my brother.” Brad smiled.

“Nancy, this is Brad, Brad, Nancy.” Shelby introduced.

“Nice to meet you Nancy, I believe you know my brother Jason.” Brad smiled at the blush Nancy gave.

“Hey Nancy,” Jason smiled.

“Jason.” Nancy nodded.

“So what are you guys doing?” Brad broke the silence.

“We’re getting new hair styles at 4:45 so we’re just hanging out.” Shelby answered.

“What are you getting?” Brad wondered.

“Short and spiky mine pink with black tips, hers black with pink tips.” Nancy answered.

“Wow that should be interesting.” Brad replied hesitantly.

“Hey don’t knock it.” Nancy scowled at him.

“Yeah, live a little bro.” Jason reprimanded.

“Ok.’ Brad held his hands up backing off.

“We were just going to go check out Spencer’s, want to come?” Jason asked Nancy.

“Sure, I’d love to. I got to check out their awesome spiked collars.” Nancy agreed.

“Come on Shel,” Brad nodded towards the kids.

“Sure, why not.” Shel nodded, then fell in line with Brad, keeping their distance behind Jason and Nancy.

“Nancy has quite the thing for Jason.” Shelby whispered discreetly.

“That was kind of obvious but just between me and you, he likes her too.” Brad chuckled.

“Are you serious?” Shelby smiled excitedly.

“Yeah, he was telling me about her in the car.” Brad answered.

“Shelby, oh my gosh, come look at this.” Nancy pointed to a white dog collar chocker with silver spikes.

“Cool,” Shelby answered honestly.

“This would go great with my new hair cut.” Nancy sighed wistfully.

“Pick out whatever you want,” Shelby motioned to the case.

“Awesome.” Nancy bounced and browsed some more.

“You’re just going to let her get anything?” Brad asked surprised.

“Alice doesn’t get her anything. Just look at her clothes. I can afford this one splurge.” Shelby sighed in disgust.

“You don’t like her do you?” Brad asked.

“She’s not a good mother, she shouldn’t be allowed to have foster kids, all she does, is keep the money she gets. She yells at everyone. I’m going be glad to get out of
there. To her I was just a modern day Cinderella. But enough of that,” Shelby explained.

“It’s like 4:30, you might want to wrap this up.” Brad pointed to the clock.

“Nancy, hurry up, we should be getting back soon.” Shel informed her.

“Ok, just let me get an associate over here to get me this chocker.” Nancy looked around.

Suddenly a woman appeared as if being able to read her mind.

“Can I help you guys with something?” she asked.

“Yes, could I get these two chokers?” Nancy pointed to the white one and a plastic, see through, pink one.

“Ok, did you want to pay for this now, or check some other things out?” the woman asked.

“Actually I’ll take that black one.” Shelby surprised everyone by pointing to a black spiky one.

“All right Shel.” Nancy nodded in approval.

“Well, hey if we’re going get similar do’s then we might as well have similar accessories. What do you think is it appropriate for graduation?” Shelby smiled evilly.

“Oh yeah Shelby great grad material.” Nancy snickered.

“Well my hairs going be black and pink anyways might as well go all out right?” Shelby pointed out

“Ok, you girls are crazy.’ The sales lady smiled.

“Thank you, I do try hard.” Nancy gathered the things and set them on the counter.

“Your total is $25.15.”

“For all three?” Shelby asked, expecting the price to be more.

“They’re buy 2 get one free.” She explained putting them in a bag.

“Thanks.” Shelby paid then they headed to Mastercut.

“Hey ladies, what can we do ya for?” the lady behind the counter asked.

“We had a 4:45 appointment.” Shelby answered first.

“Nancy and Shelby?”

“That’s us.” Nancy grinned.

“You guys can go if you want. You don’t have to stick around.” Shelby told Brad.

“No way man, this I got to see.” Brad sat down.

“Ok girls, why don’t you come back here and tell us what you want.” Sally, the hair lady told them.

“Give us short spiky hair, mine pink with black tips, and hers black with pink tips.” Nancy explained.

“Awesome, are you guys punking out?” Andre the guy doing Shelby’s hair asked.

“Just going for different.” Nancy answered.

“Well, all the power to ya.” Andre smiled then set to work on Shelby’s hair.

“Loosing a lot of hair Nancy.” Shelby watched Sally do Nancy’s hair in the opposite mirror.

“So are you.” Nancy smiled.

“Ok, now we’re just going to start putting the dye on. We’ll use these foil pieces to separate the different color tips from the main color.” Andre explained.

They then began painting on the dye all over their head, starting with the roots. 15 minutes later they sat side by side, reading the latest music magazine at the insistence of Andre who thought everyone should be current on music news.

“People actually like those guys?” Nancy shuddered.

“Who?” Shelby asked glancing at Nancy’s magazine.

“Some group called Nsync. They all look like a bunch of pansies.” Nancy showed Shelby the picture.

“Oh, never heard of them.” Shelby shrugged.

“They’re not bad.” Andre filled them in on his own opinion.

“If you say so man.” Nancy flipped the page.

“Now there’s someone who can sing.”

“Who?” Shelby asked.

“Pink. I absolutely love her new song ‘Don’t let me get me’.” Nancy answered showing Shel the picture.

“Is she your inspiration?” Shelby asked picking up on the undercurrents.

“Yeah, her and No Doubt’s Gwen Stefani. Man they rock. I love No Doubt, especially Hey Baby.” Shelby watched Nancy glowing and smiled.

“Let’s take a peek-see to see how our color’s coming along.” Andre removed one of the wrappings and gauged that the color needed to site for like another ten minutes.

“Shelby, what are you going to do after grad?” Nancy asked.

“I’m moving to Orlando. I plan on leaving early Sunday morning.” Shelby answered feeling bored.

“Really? Wow, that’s soon.” Nancy was surprised.

“I can’t take any more shit from the dragon.” Shelby sighed referring to Alice.

“Oh, tell me about it. You know what, I’ve only been living here about 6 months, but she really yells at you a lot.” Nancy noted.

“Yeah, to her I’m modern Cinderella. All she does is yell at me and put me down.” Shelby looked away.

“I wish we could have hung out earlier, you’re kind of cool. When I first came, I thought you kept to yourself all the time because you were really stuck up. I can see
now why you do. All the other kids are mean and they pick on you all the time. I promise I won’t be mean. I think you’re nice.” Nancy smiled sweetly.

“That’s so sweet Nancy. This is fun. I also wish we could have hung out more. Maybe you could come visit me when I move.” Shel suggested smiling.

“That would be fun.” Nancy smiled.

“So what do you think the guys are up to?” Shelby wondered.

“Probably sitting there bored.” Nancy giggled.

“Actually we’re sitting right here watching.” Brad laughed.

Shelby about jumped clean out of her chair, “Holy cow Brad, don’t do that. I about had a heart attack.”

“I could see that.” Brad chuckled.

“When did you guys get back here?” Nancy asked.

“Andre let us come back after they’d cut your hair.” Jason nodded.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Shelby raised an eyebrow at Brad’s reflection in the mirror in front of her.

“We didn’t want to interrupt your girl talk.” Brad shrugged.

“Ok, girls, why don’t we get this color rinsed out.” Andre and Sally returned.

“Won’t the colors run together?” Nancy asked.

“No, we take out the main first, then when the water runs clear, we’ll take the tip sheets off.” Andre explained getting to work.

“Ack, brr.” Shelby exclaimed when he started to spray her hair under the faucet.

“Sorry love,” Andre replied in his thick French accent.

“Oh, this is going to look great.” Sally smiled rinsing out Nancy’s highlights.

Ten minutes later they had everything rinsed out. They showed the girls how to make their hair spiky with this hair wax/glue.

“Close your eyes girls.” Andre demanded.

Nancy and Shelby closed their eyes as Sally and Andre completed the final touch ups.

“Ok now open your eyes.” Sally told them.

“Oh, my gosh, this looks awesome.” Nancy exclaimed examining her new hair.

Shelby sat there stunned at the transformation that had taken place.

“Wow, Shelby, you look great.” Nancy looked at Shel.

“This is really cool.” Shelby gingerly touched a spike.

“The black really accents the pink.” Andre agreed.

“Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Her hair is black.” Nancy asked confused.

“The black brings out the pink which is why her pink looks brighter then yours.” He explained.

“I get it. You both look sensational.” Brad smiled from behind.

“You’re collars will go great with that look.” Jason nodded appreciatively.

“Thank you. Alice is going flip her lid when she sees us.” Nancy smiled, rebellion in her eyes.

“Who cares about what that old dragon thinks.” Shelby rolled her eyes in disgust.

“Listen to Shelby, it looks awesome. Let’s go eat, on me, to celebrate.” Brad motioned.

“You look great love.” Andre went to the cash register.

“Thanks, how much do I owe you?” Shelby wondered.

“Actually, this ones on the house.” Andre nodded.

“No, we can’t do that.” Shelby said uncomfortably.

“I insist.” Andre added.

“I don’t want you to get in trouble.” Shelby admitted.

“I won’t get in trouble, I own this place. Brad, grab her by the hand and take her out before she insists again.” Andre chuckled.

“Come on Shel,” Brad grabbed her and pulled her out.

“That was insane.” Shelby said walking on a cloud.

“You look great.” Brad nodded.

“Thanks, hey look, they’re holding hands.” Shelby pointed to Jason and Nancy who were holding hands in front of them.

“Well, it’s about time. Speaking of time, it’s already 6. Want to get something to eat?” Brad asked.

“Sure why not.” Shelby agreed.

“Ok, let’s head for the food court. Hey guys food court.” Brad hollered to Nancy and Jason.

Jason nodded and headed in that direction.

“Where do you want to eat?” Brad asked the group.

“Subway.” They all answered in unison.

“Well, Subway it is.” Brad laughed.

“We’re all just psychic.” Nancy winked.

“Yeah, dude people are looking at us funny.” Shelby observed looking around.

“They like our new hair.” Nancy nodded smiling.

“Yeah, they’re all jealous of your success.” Brad expressed exuberantly.

“Uh huh.” Shelby nodded in doubt.

“Hey Brad, you dumped me for her? For this cow?” a girl rudely interrupted them.

“Monique, get this straight. I dumped you because you cheated on me. You slept with my best friend. My BEST FRIEND,” he emphasized. “You’re knocked up with
his kid. Right now I wouldn’t touch you with a ten-foot pole. Shelby’s a better person then you’d ever be. I’d rather be her friend, her slave, than have anything to do
with you. Now please leave me alone.” Brad growled spilling his feelings.

“You’ll regret this Brad. I know you’ll come back.” Monique purred. “Come on Starr, let’s get out of here.”

Shelby watched them leave and felt in the middle. She looked at Brad, then shrunk back.

“Are you ok?” Shelby asked carefully.

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that. I can’t believe she said that. Ugh. She pisses me off.” Brad scowled.

“I’m sorry,” Shelby whispered.

“It’s not your fault Shelby.” Brad sighed.

“Are you guys coming?” Jason asked getting impatient.

“Yeah, hold your horses slugger.” Brad answered.

“Come on.” Shelby grabbed him and led him away from the scene.

They all walked to Subway, Brad slowly calming down. The girl behind the counter had her eye on Brad and he flirted right back. By the time they finished, Brad had a
date.

“Dude, that was awesome.” Jason gave his brother a high five.

“Very smooth Romeo.” Shelby smirked.

“Man. She so wanted you,” Nancy opened her sub and started chowing down.

Finished eating, they decided to go to The Rookie, starring Dennis Quaid.

“Dude, that movie was way better then I thought it was going to be.” Nancy exclaimed walking out of the theatre.

“True that.” Jasonn nodded in agreement.

“We better get going Nance, it’s already 9 o’clock.” Shelby glanced at the clock.

The four of them headed towards the exit once again in pairs.

“Well, this is it.” Brad stopped at the doors.

“Yep, oh man, will I ever see you guys again?” Shelby asked faking a tear.

“Oh, don’t cry, we’ll meet again some day.” Brad played a long.

“Our siblings are weird.” Nancy glanced at Brad and Shel.

“Nah, we all have our moments.” Jason answered.

“I guess that’s true.” Nancy nodded.

“I’ll see ya in school tomorrow.” Jason questioned.

“Yep, tomorrow’s the last day of school.” Nancy grinned.

“True that, I thought they’d never end.” Jason shuddered.

Nancy chuckled and agreed in her mind.

“Well, looks like I got to go. They’re done talking.” Jason pointed out.

Brad and Shelby were watching them, obviously waiting for them to hurry.

“So did you have fun?” Shelby asked.

“Oh yeah, a blast. Jason and I are going out now. He asked me during the movie.” Nancy gushed excited.

“See everything worked out great.” Shelby smiled.

“Yeah, thanks to you. I can’t believe you knew his brother. It must have been fate. How did you know him?” Nancy asked turning towards Shel.

“He was one of my supervisors.” Shelby pulled into the driveway.

“Where the hell were you?” Alice yelled as soon as the door was opened.

“We went out.” Shelby walked past her, Nancy right behind.

“What the hell did you do to your hair? It looks like shit.” Alice screamed in disgust.

“Thanks, night Alice.” Nancy followed Shelby’s example stomping upstairs.

“Good job Nance. Tell the old dragon where to go whenever she yells.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Goodnight Shel.” Nancy stopped at her door.

“Night Nancy.” Shelby smiled then walked into her room.

Shelby sat at her desk and picked up her journal.

Thursday May 24

Today was awesome. Me and Nancy hung out at the mall with Brad and Jason. We got our hair done, it was awesome. It was like we were real sisters. I don’t get to
hang out much because nobody gives me time of day. Well I’m sleepy. Night.

Shelby changed into her pajamas and turned on her bed side lamp, turning off her main-lamp. Before she knew it she had shut off her lamp and was sound asleep.

________________

Friday night Orlando

“Justin, phone.” Lynn yelled from downstairs.

“Tell them I’m not home.” Justin answered back.

“Trust me you’ll want to take this call.” Lynn insisted.

“Hello?”

“Hey Justin.” The feminine voice answered softly.

“Britney?” Justin gasped sitting down.

“Yeah, it’s me. How are you?” she asked.

“Trying to cope, you?”

“I’m ok, I just called to see how you’re doing.” Britney told him.

“I miss you,” he whispered in agony.

“Don’t Justin, it won’t do any good.” Britney sighed.

“Neither will calling me Britney.” Justin pointed out.

“Ok, fine. I’m sorry, bye Justin.” Britney hung up her side of the conversation.

“Why dammit.” Justin lay back on his bed and stared at the ceiling.

_______________

Minot

“Excited about tomorrow?” Nancy asked Shelby Friday night.

“Yeah, I am. I’m kind of nervous too. Shelby smiled.

“Hold still, I’m going ruin your nails. I’m sure you don’t want black nail polish all over.” Nancy chided.

“Yes ma’am.” Shelby giggled.

“So you’re wearing your chocker tomorrow?” Nancy asked.

“Oh hell yeah,” Shel answered excitedly.

“And what are you wearing?”

“My t-shirt that says ‘You say Psycho like it’s a bad thing’, those baggy green pants you made me get and my black Chuck Taylor’s.” Shelby basked in her new look.

“People are going to shit an egg when they see you. And when they’re starting to get used to it, you spring that awesome speech on them.” Nancy laughed at the
thought.

“Yeah, but you know what? They deserve it. They won’t know what hit them.” Shelby sat back to let her now black nails dry.

“I’ve gotten to know you a lot more these past few days, I’m going to miss you. I won’t have any more decent big sisters.” Nancy sighed.

“Oh, come on, it won’t be that horribly bad. Besides, I’ll call you ya know. And maybe the dragon will let you visit.” Shelby shrugged then swallowed the tears that
threatened to surface.

“I’ll get to see Jasers tomorrow.” Nancy changed the subject.

“So it’s Jasers now huh?” Shel asked for the scoop.

“Yeah, I accidentally called him that today but he didn’t mind. I guess it just kind of stuck.” Nancy beamed with delight.

“That’s so sweet. Is he going to be at the grad party too then?” Shel inquired.

“Yep, he’s g be there and he promised to dance. Brad’s going to be there too ya know.” Nancy winked.

“I know, he’s bringing Lainy, the girl from Subway.” Shelby answered.

“Ah, I see, is that ok with you?” Nancy questioned.

“Of course, me and Brad are barely friends. He used to be mean boss up until earlier this week. Man, weird huh.” Shel chuckled in remembrance.

“Cool, he is kind of cute though, not as cute as my guy. Hey I like the sound of that, my guy. Hehe.” Nancy giggled.

“You’re crazy kid, never change.” Shelby smiled at her antics.

“Oh, don’t worry about me Shel. I like being crazy. Keeps people guessing.” Nance wiggled her eyebrows up and down suggestively.

“If you say so.” Shel nodded skeptically.

“I do, turn on the radio. It’s too quiet.” Nancy flopped back on the bed.

“The radio sucks.” Shelby wrinkled her nose in disgust.

“Dude, you must be smoking something. The radio does NOT suck.” Nancy retorted.

“Whatever man.” Shelby maturely stuck her tongue out at Nance.

“Now THAT, was mature dear, oh good song.” Nancy exclaimed.

“Get the party started on a Saturday night? What kind of lyrics are those.” Shelby asked, one eyebrow raised.

“Good ones, now hush and let me listen to my Pink.” Nancy shushed her and sang to the rest of the song.

“That was interesting.” Shelby smirked, referring to Nancy’s dance around the room to pink.

“Shut up, I get excited when I listen to Pink, she rocks man.” Nancy defended.

“Uh huh.” Shelby sighed and listened to the current song on the radio. She raised her eyebrows as she listened to the very suggestive lyrics.

“…Ain’t no stopping til the break of dawn…” Nancy sang along.

“Who is this?” Shelby wondered curiously.

“The people from Making the Band or whatever. O-Town I think they are called. I think boy bands are stupid. There are only a few good songs but you know what the
bad thing is? They all sound the same. Nsync, Backstreet, O-Town. What’s the difference. You know potatoe, potato: tomatoe, tomato.” Nancy explained looking at the ceiling.

“Then why do you even bother to listen to the radio? That’s all they play when I listen to it. Either that or girls singing like little kids.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Oh my, you must be referring to Britney Spears, Slave drives me crazy, no pun intended. All the breathing and moaning, it’s seriously degrading. But hey that’s just my opinion. Now Christina A. on the other hand, now that girl has a set of vocal chords.” Nancy sighed wistfully.

“What does she sing?” Shelby wondered.

“She sings Genie in a Bottle. What a Girl Wants, Turn to You, and she sang in Lady Marmalade.” Nancy listed off.

“Nance, dear, those are all pretty much foreign words to me. Sing part of them.” Shelby smiled.

“Ok, give me a second.” Nancy scrambled off the bed then grabbed her brush.

“This should be interesting.” Shelby smirked.

“First, I’ll sing Genie in a Bottle, a clip anyway.” Nancy got into position.

“I feel like I’ve been locked up tight for a century of loneliness waiting for someone to release me…I’m a genie in a bottle you got to rub me the right way if you want
to be with me baby there’s a price to pay, I’m a genie in a bottle come come come and let me out.” Nancy struck her ending pose.

“Wow, you have an excellent voice.” Shelby answered amazed.

“Not really,” Nancy shrugged sitting down.

“Yes, you’re really good. You’re only 12 and you have such a powerful voice, how long have you been singing?” Shelby exclaimed looking at Nancy.

“My mama took me to voice lessons when I was five. I went 3 times a week until she got sick last year.” Nancy explained getting tears in her eyes.

“Wow, that awesome, what happened to your father if you don’t mind me asking.” Shel asked carefully.

“He left mama when she was pregnant with me. Never bothered to contact me or come back.” Nancy answered a single tear come back.” Nancy answered, a single tear wet making a trail down her cheek.

“Oh Nanc, I’m sorry, come here.” Shelby motioned for Nancy to sit by her.

“Thanks Shelby.” Nancy sniffed then hugged Shelby.

“I’m here for ya.” Shelby smiled hugging her tightly.

“Oh my”what is this some kind of lesbian ritual or something.” Alice threw open the door.

“Get the hell out of here Alice, I’ve told you before never come in here.” Shelby screamed.

“Don’t scream at me you stupid bitch.” Alice got in her face.

“Don’t start anything Alice, just leave us alone.” Nancy added calmly.

“Shut up Nancy this doesn’t pertain to you.” Alice stared at Nancy.

“Let me just say this one thing ALICE, bite me.” Nancy smiled valley girl style sarcastically and watched Alice turn a dark shade of red.

“I don’t even know why I bother putting up with you ungrateful bitches. If it weren’t for me, you’d be out in the street.” Alice growled.

“The reason you put up with us is for money. You use all the money you get for us on yourself. You don’t have a decent job. So Alice, I think it’s the other way
around. If not for us, you’d be on the street.” Shelby emphasized that last phrase.

“Hey look at that, she knows its true, she’s speechless.” Nancy egged her on.

Alice glared at them, then stomped out slamming the door behind her.

“Ugh, I can’t stand her.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“I know at least you are free soon. I’m stuck here for like ever.” Nancy pouted.

“Buck up Nancy. Maybe they’ll transfer you to a good family.” Shelby consoled her.

“I wish, but I won’t hold my breath. Nothing great ever happens. Hey wouldn’t it be cool if I got transferred to somewhere in Florida? Then we could still be friends.”

“We’ll always be friends.” Shelby smiled.

“That’s true, ouch.” Nancy pulled back her hand and watched a spot of blood appear.

“What happened?” Shelby asked.

Nancy was rummaging around where she got poked then held up a sharp razor blade.

“I got cut on this, why do you have a razor blade under your bed?” Nancy asked curiously.

“Um, no reason.” Shelby denied nervously.

“Are you a cutter?” Nancy guessed right away.

“No, I’m not a cutter. I just cut sometimes to release the pressure.” Shelby explained building a wall between them.

“The way I see it, if you cut then you’re a cutter. Man Shelby that is wrong. Please promise me you’ll stop.” Nancy chewed her out.

“I know what I’m doing. I don’t need to quit.” Shelby denied once again.

“You don’t need to cut to feel better Shel. When I found myself getting depressed after my mom died, I met someone who sent me to a Youth retreat called Winterfest.
That weekend changed my life. I accepted Christ in my heard then I felt immediate relief. That was 6 months ago and I haven’t been depressed since.” Nancy explained,her eyes glowing.

“Only weak people need religion. Not saying you’re weak, but I don’t need to use God as a crutch.” Shelby retorted.

“I’m sorry you feel that way Shel.” Nancy sighed softly.

“Don’t be sorry, it was me who’s going to go to the bad place if everything is true. I do thank you for informing me though.” Shelby shrugged.

“You’re welcome.” Nancy smiled feeling better.

“Oh, good song. Who sings it, what’s it called?” Shelby interrupted focusing her attention to the radio.

“Oh good choice Shel, it’s called ‘Hero’ by Enrique Iglasias. I have this CD if you want to borrow it.” Nancy answered listening to the song.

“Yes give me.” Shelby smiled when the song ended.

“Ok, I’ll give it to you tomorrow.” Nancy offered.

“I don’t know if I’ll have time tomorrow.” Shelby sighed remembering the day ahead.

“Oh yeah.” Nancy looked away sadly. “Hey, I’ll give it to ya as a grad present.”

“You don’t have too,” Shelby let her off the hook.

“No, I want too, it’s the least I can do.” Nancy smiled.

“Ok, if you insist.” Shelby shrugged.

“I do, I’ll go get it, then we can listen to it.” Nancy went to her room and returned shortly holding a CD case. She walked to the stereo and put in the CD handing
Shelby the case.

“He’s kind of cute.” Shelby smiled at the cover.

“He’s a hottie. But I’m going to go to bed now. I’m exhausted.” Nancy yawned.

“Ok, I need to do the same. I shouldn’t show up tomorrow looking like I have a hangover.” Shel chuckled softly.

“Goodnight Shelby Lynn.” Nancy waved.

“Goodnight Nancy Mae.” Shelby wiggled her fingers.

Nancy headed for her room and Shel got into her pajamas and wrote a few quick notes in her journal.

“This is a good song.” Shelby said a loud as she listened to Hero. She set the song on repeat and fell asleep to the sounds of Enrique
Chapter 4 by Leeann
Graduation day dawned with a bright sunshine peering into Shelby’s room. The sound of birds chirping could be heard from outside of Shelby’s window as she stirred from her restful sleep.

The day before Shelby had gathered all her boxes to pack with, and threw them in her closet knowing she’d get up at 6 to start. Starting with her dresser, Shelby began the rigorous chore of packing, something she hated and had put off until the very end.

By 10 o’clock she had all her clothes and most of the accessories from her closet and dresser packed along with her nic-nac’s and shelves.

“Hey Shel, whoa what happened in here?” Nancy opened the door letting herself in.

“Come on in, find a spot if you can.” Shel breathed deeply and slowly let it out.

“You got a lot done.” Nancy slowly looked around.

“I have about half to go.” Shelby yawned stretching her arms above her head.

“Need some help?”

“Sure, grab a box.” Shel threw a box her way, then watched as Nancy caught it.

“Thanks for the warning.” Nancy smirked just barely catching it. “Nice song by the way.”

“I can’t get enough of this song. Almost makes me want to go find me a hero.” Shelby giggled listening to Hero for the 10th time that day.

“Jason’s my hero.” Nancy beamed.

“Right, I’d never have guessed. Have you eaten breakfast yet?” Shel asked.

“Nope.”

“Let’s get out of here for a while and go get something.” Shelby suggested standing up.

“I’m game.” Nancy agreed.

“Just let me change.” Shel asked.

“What’s wrong with what you have on?” Nancy wondered.

“I’m not wearing my pajamas thank you very much.” Shelby smirked.

“Ok that’s true.” Nancy nodded.

Shelby changed into the outfit she was going to wear for graduation and spiked her hair. Within 10 minutes they were both ready to go.

Shelby led the way to the car and headed to Denny’s. Shelby figured Brad would be working and decided to just go there to eat and pick up her check.

“Hey guys.” Brad said giving them menus.

“Hey Brad, we come to make you work.” Shelby smirked.

“Darn, I knew I should have stayed home today.” Brad cringed.

“What do you want to drink?” he asked several minutes later after he’d waited on another table.

“I’ll have an apple juice now and milk when my meal comes.” Shelby smiled sweetly.

“Geez.” Brad shook his head.

“I’ll have a French vanilla cappuccino and a milk with my meal.” Nancy smiled mimicking Shelby.

“You girls are just evil.” Brad smirked.

“Come on waiter go get our drinks.” Shelby winked.

Brad just chuckled and walked off, five minutes later he was back with their drinks and ready to take their orders.

“Here you are ladies,” Brad set their drinks in front of them and grabbed his pad and pen. “Now what can I get for you?”

“I’ll have french toast on whole wheat and bacon.” Shelby ordered.

“I’ll have the same.” Nancy added.

“Ok, sounds good.” Brad tapped his pen and walked off.

“He has a nice ass,” Nancy watched him walk off.

“Nancy Mae, you’re only twelve, you needn’t be thinking or looking about that kind of thing.” Shelby gasped.

“Why not, I can look but not touch. There isn’t some rule that says eyes off.” Nancy pointed out.

“He’s Jason’s brother.” Shelby reminded her.

“Yeah, but I can’t help it if Jason hasn’t fully developed.” Nancy shrugged sipping her cappuccino.

“You’re insane. Before it was just speculation but now your insanity is harsh reality. What does your God say about looking at your boyfriend’s brother’s butt?” Shelby
asked out of curiosity.

“Ouch, that was a low blow Shelby. I’m not even going to answer that. And by the way you’re just jealous that I have the insanity down to an art.” Nancy smirked.

“Oh, I’m wounded.” Shelby faked a fall.

“Here you go gals, I’m don’t even want to know.” Brad raised his eyebrows as he sit down their milks.

Five minutes later, Brad came back with three plates.

“Brad, honey, we only needed two plates.”

“Good observation Einstein, I’m breaking with y’all.” Brad answered sitting down.

“Be nice Nancy.” Shelby

“I am nice, aren’t I Brad?” Nancy winked innocently.

“Uh…no comment.” Brad carefully replied as Shelby shot him the look of death.

“Are you and Subway girl still all hot and heavy?” Nancy asked being nosy.

“Lainey and I,” he emphasized, “are taking it slowly. Are you and my brother still going hot and heavy?”

“Look at that, she’s blushing.” Shelby teased.

“Shut up Shelby. Me and Jason are taking it slow.” She mimicked Brad’s previous words.

“So you’re back to Jason again? What happened to Jasers?” Shelby smirked.

“What’s this?” Brad asked clearly intrigued.

“Just last night she started calling him Jasers.”

“Ain’t that cute.” Brad smirked.

“You guys are mean.” Nancy pouted.

“You started it.” Brad reminded her.

“Oh hush.” Nance stuck her tongue out at him immaturely.

Shelby watched in silence at the playful argument between her old boss and sister. She smiled at the realization that for the first time in a long time she had people to talk
to…she had a friend.

This scared Shelby. She feared that everything would disappear and they would betray her. Just earlier that week Brad had been the psycho boss who made her life
miserable. But now, now he was being nice to her and treating her like she was someone special. What had changed?

“You’re sister thinks we’re crazy.” Brad said in a stage whisper bringing Shelby out of her thoughts.

Shelby just smiled and shook her head.

“There’s nothing wrong with being crazy. I take pride in that. Hi my name is Nancy and I’m crazy.”

“Right.” Brad slowly shook his head in wonder.

“Hey, do you have my pay check ready?” Shelby suddenly remembered.

“Yep, I’ll give it to you when you pay.” Brad swallowed the rest of his milk then sat back in his chair.

“So this is where we sit in an awkward silence?” Nancy asked quietly.

“I guess.” Shelby shrugged.

“You excited to graduate?” Brad broke the silence.

“Yeah, I need to get away from here.” Shelby shuddered.

“You can’t leave me.” Nancy stated, lip quivering.

“I have to go hon, any longer with Alice and I’ll lose it. Maybe you can get transferred.” Shelby suggested.

“How did you guys get so close in such a short time?” Brad wondered.

“The day we met at the mall, I got the curse of womanhood for the first time and I was seriously freaking out. Shelby explained a few things then drove me to school.
She offered to pick me up and have a girls’ day out, we met you guys at the mall and the rest is history.” Nancy explained, tears thickening her voice.

“Well I reckon some of that was a little big of an over share but that’s pretty cool. To bad it didn’t come sooner then you could have spent more time together. I know
that’s how I feel, I finally get to know you and you have to leave.” Brad sighed and shook his head.

“Well at least we had that guys. I mean it could have ended the way it was before with everyone hating on me. At least we got to hang out as long as we did I mean I’m
happy for that.” Shelby smiled.

“Well now that’s very true, if it weren’t for that mall trip the other day the world might be two couples shorter. Maybe I would have had the courage to talk to Jason, but it might have been too late or something. It was fate that gave me the curse that day. It wouldn’t have happened had it not been for that. Maybe it’s not really a curse,
maybe it’s actually a blessing in disguise.” Nancy answered.

“That was deep.” Brad agreed.

“Yeah it was, also true. Who knows where we’d be if it weren’t for Nancy where we’d be if it weren’t for Nancy ragging. I would have left thinking that all Alice’s kids
were stuck up like herself.” Shelby sighed.

“I hate to break this up but I have to get back to work.” Brad stood up and started gathering up their plates.

“Yeah, we got to get back to packing. Well I do anyway.” Shelby agreed.

They walked to the cash register and picked up the tab.

“Here’s your check by the way.” Brad handed her a white envelope with her name and address sticking thru a clear plastic window.

“Thanks Brad, you coming to graduation right?” Shelby asked.

“Yes, it starts at 8 right?”

“Yep.”

“Ok, see you ladies.”

“By Brad,” they answered simultaneously.

“Crazy.” He pointed then waved.

They were heading home when Shelby got an idea. She’d bring her new car home and start loading her things.

“How are you going to do that?” Nancy asked.

“You’re going to drive the beast home.” Shelby simply stated the obvious.

“Say what?” Nancy asked, obviously caught off guard.

“We’ll drive over there, pick up the car and you can drive the beast back.” Shelby repeated.

“You forget that I’m only twelve and I’ve never driven a vehicle in my life.” Nancy reminded her.

“No time like the present to learn.” Shelby smiled evilly.

“You’re mean.”

Shelby just chuckled and turned into the driveway.

“Whose vehicle is that?” Nancy asked referring to the one sitting there.

“That’s Stewarts’, he knew I’d be here sometime this weekend.” Shelby explained getting out of the car.

“Shelby, what are you doing here? I wasn’t expecting you ‘til tomorrow morning. Please come in.” Stewart waved them in.

“My bright mind forgot that I’d need to pack.” Shelby shrugged.

“Well glad you remembered. Here are the keys and if you hold on one second, I’ll get that check.” Stew handed her the keys and walked to a different room.

“Check?” Nancy wondered looking at Shelby.

“Marc left me 5,000 dollars.” Shelby answered feeling the tears burn at the back of her throat.

“Wow,” Nancy stated carefully.

“Yeah,” Shel responded letting the tears fall.

“You going to be ok?” Nancy asked several seconds later.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine.” Shelby sniffed trying to regain her composure.

“Ok, here you go Shel,” Stew handed her the check.

“Thanks Stewart, we better get going. We have a lot of things to do before graduation. You coming? It starts at 8 o’clock.” Shelby suggested.

“Sure honey, I’ll be there.” He smiled then ushered them out.

“If we get in an accident or pulled over, it’s your fault.” Nancy glared.

“I have faith.” Shelby reassured her sister.

“Right, you go first.” Nancy sighed getting behind the wheel.

Shelby just laughed and pulled out of the driveway. For Nancy’s safety and well--being, Shelby stayed under 15 mph the whole way.

They pulled up to the house about 10 minutes later and got out.

“That wasn’t so bad was it?” Shelby giggled.

“Nope, but I about crapped my pants when we passed that cop.” Nancy shuddered.

“Ach, it was all good. We weren’t doing anything wrong to give him a just cause to stop us. And besides you look older than 12.” Shelby smiled.

“Thank you,” Nancy and Shelby headed upstairs to Shelby’s room to finish packing.

“You have a lot of junk.” Nancy sighed looking around at all the boxes surrounding them.

Shelby shrugged and gazed at everything. “It’s not that horribly bad, I mean it could be worse.”

“That’s true I guess. Dude what are you going to do with your furniture and such?”

“I’m not taking any of it, I have no room. Besides it’s all crap.” Shelby explained as she loaded a box.

“What time is it?”

Shelby glanced at the watch on her wrist and gasped, “Damn, it’s 4:30.”

“Time flies.”

“I have to be at the school in 3 hours.” Shelby stared ahead solemnly.

“Then we better hurry.”

Shelby nodded in agreement and they got to filling boxes. A half an hour later they were ready to start loading the car.

“How are you going to do this? Load it all now or load the trunk and leave the rest til tomorrow?” Nancy questioned plopping herself down on a box.

“I want to leave ASAP tomorrow so I’d like to just get it all now.” Shelby sighed then stood up.

“Aye Aye captain.” Nancy saluted then stood up as well.

Shelby just chuckled and grabbed a box, Nancy following shortly behind. They both started the long process of loading the car.

Twenty minutes later they walked back upstairs and sat down for a rest.

“Oh, look.” Nancy started counting, “Only 11 boxes left.”

“Is that all?” Shelby replied sarcastically, all the while trying to catch her breath.

“Yeah, cool huh.”

“Heh, might as well start again. We ain’t getting any younger and it’s almost 5:30.” Shelby stood up and stretched.

Ten minutes later Shelby slammed her car door and leaned against it.

“Well that was fun.” Nancy remarked falling into the grass looking up at the clouds.

Shelby followed her example and slowly let out her breath, “Thanks for helping Nancy. I wouldn’t be even close to this without your assistance.”

“It was nothing. I do what I can.” Nancy remarked turning her head to look at Shelby.

Shelby met her gazed and smiled. “You’re a good kid Nancy, don’t ever let anyone tell you different.”

They lay there staring at the sky for a while longer before they finally got up to get ready.

_________________

Orlando

“JC what are you doing?” Justin asked into his phone.

“Sleeping.” JC mumbled.

“Sleeping, on a Saturday evening?”

“Might I remind you it’s the Saturday before we start rehearsing again. This will be one of my last few chances to have a nap for quite a long time.” JC answered.

“What are the other guys doing?” Justin questioned feeling extremely bored.

“Justin how would I know, don’t you have anything better to do?”

“Dude, I’m bored.” Justin sighed loudly.

“Go call someone else.” Justin heard the phone click down in his ear.

“Hello? Well how do ya like that, he hung up on me.” Justin rolled his eyes and dialed another familiar number.

Hello?”

“Hey Chris, what’s up?”

“Feeling bored Justin?” Chris asked sensing it right away.

“Very.”

“Bummer.”

“I know, so what are you doing?” Justin asked.

“I’m just getting ready to go to dinner with my family.” Chris answered.

“Oh, I guess I’ll let you go then.”

“See you later Justin.”

Justin listened to the click once again and sighed.

“Pointless to call Joey, he’d be with Kelly. Lance had something to do so that leaves me back at square one.” Justin spoke these thoughts aloud.

“Do you always talk to yourself?” Lynn smirked.

“When did you get back mom?” Justin smiled, feeling grateful to know he was no longer alone.

“Few minutes ago, why are you bored?” Lynn asked knowingly.

“I’m just unbelievably bored. Where are the terrors?” Justin questioned referring to his brothers.

“They went back home. It’s just you and me.” Lynn smiled.

“What are we going to do?” Justin plopped down at the table.

“Want to play a game or something?” Lynn asked gesturing to the board games in the corner.

Justin just shrugged and stared out into space.

“Oh hey, I still need to give you that celebritherapy information.” Lynn suddenly remembered.

“Hey yeah, go get it.” Justin readily agreed.

Lynn returned shortly with a folder and handed him the information.

Justin dove right in and started reading. Moments later he emerged with a consternated look on his face.

“Wow, that’s intense.” He commented looking at his mom.

“What do you think?” Lynn asked curiously.

“That’s a big responsibility.” Justin answered, eyes growing large.

“You would be helping someone recover, it could bring a great sense of accomplishment.” Lynn pointed out.

“I don’t know mom. I’d have to talk to the other guys about it. I’m kind of leery myself.” Justin’s face reflected his hesitancy as Lynn studied him closely.

“Ok kiddo, whatever you decide I’m behind you.” Lynn smiled and squeezed his hand reassuring him the best she could.

“Thanks mom.” Justin nodded.

“So what are your plans for tonight?” Lynn asked breaking the silence.

“I don’t know.” He shrugged.

“Well aren’t you a barrel of laughs today.” Lynn sighed.

“Yeah.”

Lynn looked at her son and walked out of the room leaving Justin to sulk by himself.

______________

Minot

“Killer outfit,” Nancy smiled when she saw Shelby.

Shelby walked in a circle modeling her clothes, “I do like it myself.”

Nancy put her fingers to her mouth and whistled. “You’re gonna be awesome tonight, enjoy it while you can Shelby, you earned it.”

Shelby thought about that for a second and everything she’d been through to get to this one moment, “You know you’re absolutely right, this is my time to shine.”

“What time is it?” Nancy asked putting the finishing touches on her dark makeup.

Shelby looked down at her watch and sighed, “6:30.”

Nancy looked at Shelby’s reflection in the mirror and frowned, “Is that all? We have a whole freaking hour left before you have to be there. Ugh!”

“I just want this to be over, to get on with the rest of my life. You are the only thing I might actually miss.” Shelby sighed.

“What about Brad? Aren’t you going to miss him?” Nancy asked.

Shelby raised her eyebrows, “Not really, I don’t even really know him. To me he was always psycho boss who made me do everything. The Brad now is just like an
acquaintance how do I know I can trust him?”

“I don’t know, his brothers nice, but then again I have to think that. Has Brad ever done anything spiteful?”

“He told Tyler, Rod, and Jeremy what time I was working. They came in and ordered shakes, poured them all over my head, then slammed my face into the table.”
Shelby frowned at the memory.

“Is that when you came home crying earlier this week?” Nancy thought back in time.

“Yeah I quit that night. I was just going to work my last day yesterday, but I was sick of it. It was a good choice now though.” Shelby explained with a feeling of
wistfulness.

“Yeah, if you didn’t we wouldn’t be as close.” Nancy smiled brightly.

“So what do we do now?” Shelby sighed.

“I don’t know, we could drive around or something.” Nancy suggested.

“It sounds good enough for me.” Shelby agreed standing up.

They went into the car and started the engine.

“Dude, this is like my last time driving the beast.” Shelby smiled looking down at her hands on the steering wheel.

“What are you going to do with her?” Nancy asked.

Shelby just shrugged and looked out the window.

“If you were old enough to drive I’d give it to you, but since you’re not.”

“Well, you could leave it with Stewart until I’m old enough.” Nancy suggested.

“I don’t think he’s going to be around very long.” Shelby answered.

“That’s true. You could always take it to a junk heap.”

“I’ll just sell it. I’m sure some fool is desperate for a car.” Shelby grinned wickedly.

“We could paint it.” Nancy suggested.

“Dude, we have an hour before I have to be there.” Shelby looked at her doubtfully.

“Oh come on, Alice has that spray paint in the garage. She has like 5 cans of black, 2 or 3 pink and green, and maybe one purple. She’ll never miss them and if she does
woopty doo.” Nancy pleaded.

Shelby looked out the window and pondered the idea. “Paint it black and put colorful things like flowers and peace signs and such.” She looked over at Nancy and
smiled. “Let’s do it. We have to hurry though.”

They ran to the garage and grabbed the paint.

“You start the front and I’ll start the back.” Shelby threw her a can of black paint and started in.

They began spraying the black as fast as they could. 10 minutes later they were both closing in on the roof.

“Just grab one of the bright colors and start making different designs. It doesn’t matter if they’re perfect just have fun.” Shelby grabbed the purple and a pink.

She made an outline of a pink flower and gave it a purple center.

“Cool.” Nancy giggled looking at the bright green peace symbol in front of her.

“Make some more. Hey lets write peace on the sides. Start with purple then add pink inside. It’ll look totally awesome.” Shelby went to the side and started working on
the writing.

Twenty minutes and lots of paint later they stood back and assessed their work.

“I like it.” Nancy responded first.

Nancy nodded in satisfaction then smiled, “We did awesome.”

Shelby glanced down at her watch and almost had a palpitation.

“It’s 7:15.” She scrambled in to the car, Nancy following close behind.”

“Step on it,” Nancy demanded handing Shel her gown.

“Steer for me while I put this stupid thing on.” Shelby instructed trying to pull on her robe.

“We’ll make it in time, just put it on there.” Nancy pulled the gown away from her and held it.

“Come on grandma, man I hate slow drivers.” Shel tapped her steering wheel impatiently.

They arrived at the school with 5 minutes to spare. Shelby ran to the history room all the while struggling with her black gown. She was zipping it up when she ran into the room.

“It’s nice to see you.” Tyler sneered and looked her up and down, “On time that is.”

“Blow yourself Tyler.” Shelby shot back trying to get her cap on.

“He doesn’t need himself when he’s got me.” Geri glared at her from Tyler’s side.

“I almost feel sorry for him.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

Geri just gave her a look of death then walked off.

“Bitch.” Shelby muttered.

In the next instant Shelby saw a fist flying then was lying on the ground holding her throbbing eye.

“What the-“ Shelby whispered.

“Never talk to my girlfriend like that or you’ll pay.” Tyler sneered just as Mrs. Kaylor came in.

“Do we have a problem here?” Mrs. Kaylor asked watching Shelby get off the floor, eye already starting to bruise.

Shelby just stared at Tyler not making a sound.

“What happened to your glasses? You’re eye is all red and watery.” Mrs. Kaylor looked up to where Shelby had gotten off the floor. She spotted the glasses several feet
away.

She walked over to the spot and picked up the glasses. She slowly started walking around the room, like a lawyer in a courtroom watching the students stopping now
and then.

“Come on guys its graduation, can’t you leave her alone for once in your life?” Mrs. Kaylor handed Shelby the glasses.

They all just sighed and rolled their eyes, muttering words under their breath.

“I would make all of you apologize but I won’t because it wouldn’t do any good. You would just go harass her more some other time.” Mrs. Kaylor reprimanded them.

“I don’t really care ma’am after today I’ll never have to see them again.” Shelby said unemotionally, gathering all her things together.

Just then Brad walked into the room. All the girls’ eyes on him he walked over to Shelby and stopped.

“Geez kid aren’t you even going to say hi?” he smirked.

Shelby jumped in surprise and dropped her stuff. “Geez Brad don’t do that. I’m bound to get a heart attack.”

“Yeah, well I do what I can.” Brad winked at her.

“Whatever, what are you doing here this early?” Shelby asked curiously.

“What can’t I come early just to see you backstage?” he chuckled when Shelby shot him that “yeah-right-I-wasn’t-born-yesterday” look. “Ok, I know you’re leaving
tomorrow and I won’t have much time with you.” He shrugged sheepishly.

Shelby smiled and shook her head. “Did you see what we did to-”

“Excuse me, we were just wondering why you are talking to the loser?” Geri asked sweetly then turned mean when she asked about Shelby.

“Excuse me we were talking,” Brad turned his back on Geri and turned towards Shelby, “What were you saying Shel?”

Shelby looked between Brad and Geri several times then focused on Brad.

“Did you see what we did to the beast?” she asked softly.

“You mean the black car with the retro symbols? Oh yeah! What happened to it?” Brad smiled.

“We got spray paint happy.” Shelby laughed softly.

“So I noticed, why did you paint it?”

“Well, I didn’t think anyone would want to buy it if it looked like it did before so me and Nancy painted it before we came.” Shelby shrugged and started digging thru her
bag for her speech.

“You’re selling it? Why would you sell the beast?” Brad questioned.

He then turned around and noticed Geri still standing there, “Did you need something?”

“You never answered my question.” Geri smiled.

“And I don’t plan on it, now go play with your friends or something and leave us alone.” Brad shuddered and turned back to Shelby who stood with her mouth hanging
open.

“That’s not very attractive.” Brad smiled softly then put his hand on her chin lifting her mouth, “now why are you selling the beast?”

“I’m taking the red car and I have nowhere to keep it,” Shelby responded.

“How much are you asking for?” Brad questioned throwing a glance across the room. “Excuse me but could you not stare at me please?”

Geri and Tyler just immaturely rolled their eyes and sighed loudly.

“I don’t know, I got if for $1,000 so maybe like 500 or something.” She shrugged nonchalantly.

“I’ll give you $500.”

“Say what?” Shel asked surprised.

“I’ll by the beast. Jason’s going need a car soon here and that way I wont have to worry about driving him around everywhere. Our siblings could go out on a date by
themselves.” Brad smirked.

“Are you serious? Yeah, ok um… I don’t know what to say.” Shelby fiddled with her hands unable to think of anything words.

“Shelby just say ok, will you be paying with cash or check.” Brad chuckled.

“Ok, will you be paying with cash or check?” She smiled mimicking him.

“Haha funny Shel, I have $500 in my checking account, I’ll be paying via check.” Brad smirked taking out his checkbook.

“Right, we have to hurry here. Have to start lining up or something.” Shel motioned to the others who were starting to walk out.

Brad quickly wrote the check and Shel was off to line up in front of the gym entrance.

Twenty minutes later the graduating Class of 2002 were seated on stage and the commencement ceremony had begun.

The superintendent gave a ten minute speech about the class and their years at Burke Central. He described how they’d come a long the way going through problems and struggles together.

Next the choir sang “May the Music Never End”. The underclassmen who were in the band all had tears running down their faces as did most of the graduates. Shelby
sat dry-eyed and counting down the minutes before her misery ended.

“And now ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to present our next speaker; she is graduating with a 4.0 GPA. Here she is folks, Shelby Murphy.”

Shelby stood up and walked to the podium, she looked back at Mr. Clark and smiled.

“Thank you Mr. Clark for that groovy introduction. Hey everyone I’m Shelby Lynn Murphy yes I did manage to pull out a 4.0, but I’m not going to college anyway.”

“Ok so most people stand up here and feed you bull about how much they’ll miss high school, but I’m here to tell you how it really is.”

“I absolutely hated school. I cannot wait to get out. I’m counting down the minutes as we speak. As you all can see I’m not the size 8 or even close to it. These quote un
quote classmates of mine never let me forget it for one minute. Every day I came to school knowing I’d be laughed at and called fat all day long. Whoever said that high
school and your teenage years are supposed to be the best years of your life were seriously lying. It’ll never matter what you were in high school. Everyone will see you differently out in the real world. It won’t matter if you were the most popular girl in school, or head cheerleader, or the basketball star. It doesn’t matter if you’re the biggest nerd or even the biggest person in school. You could be the biggest nerd and one day run a major corporation with lots of people kissing your ass. Come on people it doesn’t matter how school sees you. There’s a bigger world out there, bigger then high school bigger then you can ever imagine. I recommend you try to find yourself and don’t be afraid to express yourself.”

Facing the audience Shelby saw them rise to their feet in appreciation of her speech. She smiled and blushed then thanked them for their time.

A half an hour later all the graduates were in the acceptance line getting congratulated over and over.

“So, how does it feel?” Brad appeared in front of Shelby.

“Great! I can’t believe it’s finally over.” Shelby smiled wringing her hands.

“How about giving me a hug before I’m forced to move on?” Brad opened his arms and Shelby stepped to him and wrapped her arms around his back in a hug.

“Are you going to the after party still?” she asked pulling back.

“Yep, I’m going to pick up Lainey after this.”

Shelby smiled and watched him walk on. She nodded to the next person in line to shake her hand.

“I loved your speech.” An unfamiliar face told her.

“Thank you,” Shel murmured wishing he’d move on.

He just stared at her for a few more seconds then walked on.

“Aw, Shelby this is it.” Nancy interrupted her thoughts.

“Yeah, kind of freaky isn’t it.” Shelby wrapped her arms around the younger girl.

“Sad is more like it. You’re leaving me here with the dragon.” Nancy frowned.

“You’ll be fine. Just don’t let her dominate you.” Shel smiled.

“I better move on. There are about 10 people in line just for your information.” Nancy smiled then moved.

Another ten people later, and Shelby was finally free to go and went to find Nancy.

“Nancy,” Shelby called spotting her talking to some friends.

Nancy turned around and smiled when she saw Shelby.

“Hey Shelby glad to see you’ve been sprung. I didn’t think you were ever going to get done.” Nancy shuddered at the thought of all those people.

“Yeah, it’s ALL over now. I didn’t think I’d ever get here, but I am. I’m only hours away from the beginning of my new life.” Shelby sighed.

“Hey where is the car?” Nancy asked looking around.

“Brad moved it. He bought it for Jason.” Shel answered.

“He did? Awesome, but does this mean we’re on foot?” Nancy questioned just as two motorcycles pulled up.

“You ladies need a ride?” the first one asked.

Nancy and Shelby looked at each other then back at the mysterious riders.

“Sure.” Shelby got on behind him and held on to his waist.

Nancy did the same, getting on behind the other mystery biker.

Shelby held on tightly as they took off down the street toward their house. She thought it was weird that he already knew the way to her house.

“How do you know where we live?” Shelby shouted over the noise.

The guy just shrugged and continued driving until they reached their house. The guys shut their bikes off and took off their helmets.

To Shelby’s surprise her arms were tightly wrapped around Brad’s waist.

“Enjoy the ride?” he asked softly.

“Yeah, thanks.” Shelby smiled and removed her arms from his waist.

“Thought for sure you were going to cut off my circulation. Yeesh.” Brad smirked getting off his bike.

Shelby looked him up and down, he was wearing a very sexy black leather jacket and tight black jeans. Under the black jacket was a white wife beater making the whole
outfit look like a real biker. Shelby enjoyed every minute of it all the while trying to pretend she didn’t.

“Our siblings are necking.” Brad whispered breaking her daydream.

Shelby turned around and found Nancy sitting in front of Jason facing him, her arms were wrapped around his neck while she kissed him open mouthed.

“Did you teach him that?” Shel smirked facing him again.

“No, I think it was Nancy. Did you teach her that?” Brad mimicked her previous words then watched her face turn into something different. Something that seemed to
represent pain or an inter struggle.

“No as a matter of fact I didn’t.” She answered emotionless.

“Shel? What’s wrong?” Brad asked concerned.

“No, Brad, nothings wrong. Why would anything be wrong?” Shelby snapped at him.

After that the rest of the night went really bad for Shelby. Brad never talked to her after she snapped at him, and Nancy was mad because she interrupted their kiss.

“Shelby that was quite the speech you gave. You made a big mistake bitch.” Geri pulled her aside at the dance.

“Leave me alone.” Shelby walked away not wanting to start anything.

“Oh don’t even think about walking away. We’re going to finish this once and for all.” Tyler grabbed her wrist pulling her toward him.

“And what are you going to do with all these teachers here?” Shelby pointed out, wincing in pain.

Tyler pulled her arm harder behind her back, “Now I could always break your arm.”

“And I could always scream bloody murder and press charges on you.” Shelby spit out.

Tyler threw her on the ground and walked away leaving her lying there on the ground.

Shelby was shaking as she stood to her feet. She found a phone and called a taxi, waiting in the entryway for him to come.

Ten minutes later the taxi came, Shelby looked around taking everything in one final time. She walked away knowing she wouldn’t be missed and no one even knew she was leaving.

‘This is the last night in this hole.’ Shelby sighed going into her now empty room.

She put on her pajamas and lay on her bed with one small blanket wrapped around her shoulders. Shelby let the tears fall and slowly cried out her frustrations. The
thought of going away made her happy but she found herself crying herself to sleep, something that wasn’t rare for the poor soul.
Chapter 5 by Leeann
“Nancy,” Shelby nudged her sister.

“Go away,” Nancy mumbled in return.

“Get up.” Shelby insisted.

“No. Go Away.” Nancy smacked her hands and went back to sleep.

“I’m leaving now, bye Nancy.” Shelby hugged her then walked downstairs.

“Bye Brad.” She whispered buckling her seatbelt. She smiled and took off ready to face her new life. She cranked up the radio and headed for Moorhead MN, her first
stop outside North Dakota.

_______________

Orlando

“Wade, you’re late. We’ve been waiting for like…”

JC held his hand stopping Justin’s speech. “Five minutes Justin you were late making us late so don’t talk.”

“Whatever.” Justin pouted.

“Ok guys, stop lagging around. Why aren’t you in costume yet? I do recall telling you that this was a dress rehearsal. Geez this is going to set us back. Today we’ll do a
run thru without any costume but tomorrow you guys had better be here in costume. Openers will be here on Friday. Now let’s start, I want to see Girlfriend before anything else.” Wade barked out the orders and the fun of rehearsal began.

“Let’s take it from the top now five, six, seven, and eight... Ok guys great job, now take a few then we’ll start the show.” Wade left them alone and walked out.

“This is going to be a long week.” Justin sighed sitting on the edge of the platform used as the stage.

“Oh well, it is all part of the job.” JC shrugged lying on his back.

Justin sighed and thought back to the first time he went on tour.

Flashback

“Ok guys hurry up, it’s time to meet your openers.” Johnny Wright, their manager told them.

“Ok coming.” JC answered for the whole group.

“So who are they?” Justin asked excited to start their first major headlining tour.

“We only have one so far. It’s JIVE’S latest solo artist. I’ve heard some of her stuff, she’s really good, going to be a hit.” Johnny answered.

They followed him into a conference room and sat down.

“So what’s her name?” JC asked.

Just then the door opened and a girl walked in drawing everyone’s attention.

“Britney Spears,” Justin answered the same time Johnny did.

Justin stared at the girl in front of him. She’d blossomed into a beautiful young woman since the Mickey Mouse Club.

“Guys this is Britney, she’s going to be the opener.” Johnny smiled as she sat down all the while returning Justin’s stare.

“Hey!” Brit exclaimed finally breaking the eye contact.

“So you’re going to be the next big thing?” Joey smirked looking her up and down.

Britney blushed and looked away only to meet Justin’s eyes.

“Nice to meet you,” JC grinned welcoming her in.

“Britney, this is JC, Joey, Chris, Lance, and-”

“Justin.” She whispered finishing for him.

“Yeah, you’re a fan?” Johnny smiled.

“Um,” Britney looked at him then back at Justin, “I knew him from MMC.”

“Ah, that explains a lot. Now that I’ve introduced you guys I’m going to leave and hopefully you guys will find an ice breaker.”

END FLASHBACK

Justin smiled wistfully at the sweet memory.

Ever since that day he’d been head over feet in love with her. They became closer as the days went by, hiding their relationship the best they could.

Justin figured that might have contributed to their break up. If they’d went public right away then they’d have been able to see each other whenever they wanted or
could.

The guys were all behind Justin, knowing how much he cared and loved Britney. No one could see this coming. The guys were all shocked speechless when Justin came in crying his eyes and his heart out.

They all did their best to cheer him up, but he’d remained depressed.

Justin looked around at each of the guys and mentally thanked them for always being there for him, especially when he needed them the most.

“I’ll get over you Britney, it’ll take time but I’ll be over you.” He thought silently.

Wade came back and they all got up and began from the top. Yes, it was going to be a long day for the members of Nsync.

______________________

Milwaukee WI

Shelby opened the door of the McDonald’s in front of her. She ordered her food and minutes later she was sitting in a booth enjoying a Big Mac burger and fries.

Moorhead MN was her first stop. She’d gotten gas and then continued her way across the state and was now in WI, home of the Green Bay Packers.

She studied her map closely realizing she had 5 more states to go thru before she even got to Florida.

“Excuse me miss, I couldn’t help but notice you sitting her with this map.” An older gentleman stopped by her table.

“Um, yes, how can I help you?” Shelby asked looking up.

“Me and my wife don’t really have anywhere else to sit, do you mind?” he asked cautiously.

Shelby looked into his eyes and wanted to start crying right then and there. He reminded her so much of Marc, “Sure have a seat.”

“Thank you very much. I’m just going to get my wife.”

Shelby watched him walk over to the counter and pointed to where she was seated.

“Hello sweetie thank you for letting us sit here. It was getting so crowded.” The woman sat in front of her.

“By the way, I’m Robert and this is my wife Lois.” Robert sat next to his wife.

“Shelby.”

“So where are you headed?” Lois asked noticing her map.

“I’m moving down to Orlando.” Shelby smiled.

“Really? What a coincidence! We’re headed for Tampa. We go down there every year for summer. It’s always so hard to come back though.” Robert chuckled
reminiscing.

“This is my first time; I just graduated from high school last night.” Shelby added eating a fry.

“Really? Congratulations! You’re parents must be really proud.” Lois smiled brightly.

“My mother died 8 years ago.” Shelby looked down at her food not wanting to talk or even think about that right now.

“I’m sorry dear.” Lois patted her hand comfortingly.

“So I have an idea, why don’t we head down together? That way you’re not all alone.” Robert suggested.

“I’d planned on driving straight thru ‘til I got there.” Shelby answered.

“Oh honey, that would work perfectly.” Robert never sleeps until the minute we are unpacked, in the house, and everything’s taken care of. Oh it would work out good, please say yes.” Lois gushed excitedly.

Shelby smiled and shrugged, “sure.” She threw her arms up in defeat and chuckled.

“Good, now that that’s settled what were you planning to take?” Robert asked.

“Well, I was thinking Chicago next, then Indianapolis, Lexington, and that’s all I’ve had a chance to figure out yet.” Shelby pointed to each different city covering 3
states.

“You’re right on so far. I’ll let you figure out more before telling you. Well it seems everyone is done eating so we might as well get going. It’s a 3 hour drive to Chicago so I suggest going to the bathroom, the less stops the better.” Robert stood up and they all headed for the bathroom before heading out.

“Ok, we have these walkie-talkies, we’ll give you one keep it on and if you need to stop or something just say something and we’ll do the same. See you in Chicago.” Robert handed her the device and got in his car.

Shelby got in and buckled her seatbelt. She smiled as she thought about how they’d taken her under their wing.

“This is going to rock.” She whispered turning up the radio.

“Would you dance, if I asked you to dance…”

“Yes, great song.” Shelby cranked up the Enrique song and sang here and there wherever she knew the words.

Next song was Get the Party Started, which she listened to and agreed that it was a fairly decent, almost good song. She smiled as she recalled her conversation with
Nancy as they got their hair fixed.

_________________

Orlando

“Justin, great job, I think we finally got that move, now don’t forget it.” Wade shouted.

“Can’t we quit yet? My body is screaming for me to stop.” Joey fell onto his back, his arms and legs sprawled out, chest rising and falling rapidly as he tried to catch his breath.

“Yeah, man, we’ve done the whole thing like three times now, have a heart.” Chris struck his lower lip out in a pout.

Justin and Chris looked at each other then back at Wade.

“Please.” They whined simultaneously

“Ok guys, if it means you’ll stop the insanity. Why me? I ask myself all the time, maybe that says something.” Wade shook his head and started walking towards the exit.

“Do you always talk to yourself Wade?” Chris smirked.

“Shove it Chris. I’m leaving now.” Wade kept walking towards the exit.

“Wade is a pansy.” Chris shouted the insult.

“Oh, that’s it Christopher, you’re going down.” Wade ran back to the stage area and jumped up.

Chris ran to the other end of the stage area and stuck his tongue out at Wade.

“Oh, this is good.” Justin smirked watching the pair.

“Welcome ladies and gentlemen, to the fight of the century. In this corner we have choreographer extraordinaire Wade Robson, and in this corner we have pop sensation Chris Kirkpatrick of Nsync. Oh look, there they go.” Joey introduced them both as they wrestled around on the ground.

“Hey, Wade is beating the old man.” Justin smirked.

“I heard that Justin.” Chris warned.

“That was the whole point. Wade is kicking your booty.” Justin laughed.

“Oh that’s it, you’re going down.” Chris challenged getting away from Wade then started towards Justin.

“Oh you’re in trouble.” JC told Justin watching as Chris came closer.

In the next instant Justin and Chris lunged at each other rolling around and began rolling around on the floor, worse then Chris and Wade.

“Guys, you are worse then little kids.” Mike chuckled entering the room.

“Gonna break ‘em up now?” Lonnie asked sauntering towards them.

“Yup.” Mike answered grabbing Justin.

“Hey man, I was winning.” Justin whined glaring at Mike.

“Oh, you wish man, you wish.” Chris sneered.

“Don’t start again. Like I said you’re worse then kids. I’ll need to separate you soon.” Mike chuckled.

“I’m out of here.” Lance told them heading out.

“Where are you going?” Joey asked, jumping off the stage.

“Away.” Lance answered.

“Can I come?”

“Nope.”

“Why not?”

“Because.”

“Joey back off, he’s going to Turbo Latte the small coffee shop. There’s a girl there that he has a thing for.” JC joined the conversation.

“I don’t have a thing for her, we’re just friends I barely know her.” Lance explained a slight blush crawling up his face.

___________________

Outside Chicago

“Shelby, we’re going to stop here for gas before we get into the city.” Lois spoke over the radio.

“Ok this is really cool. I’ve never been to a city this big.” Shelby giggled staring at all the sky-scrapers towering over the city in a distance.

“Chicago, here I come.” Shelby told herself pulling into the gas station.

“Hey Shelby, feels good to stand doesn’t it.” Lois came over between gas pumps.

“Oh, you bet. My legs were killing me.” Shelby answered jumping up and down.

“That looks wonderful; my legs are too old to start jumping up and down.” Lois sighed.

“Ach, Lois you’re not old at all.” Shelby reassured her.

“If you call 75 not old.” Lois smiled.

“See you’re still a ripe young bird.” Shelby linked arms with her and walked into the station.

“So did you tell her?” Robert asked Lois.

“No, I never got a chance to.” Lois answered.

Shelby looked between the two of them and had a feeling something was up. “Tell me what?” she asked.

“Well, sweetie, the thing is we have no grandchildren of our own, nobody to celebrate things with, such as graduation.” Lois explained unsure of how to present their proposition.

“What Lois is trying to say is that we want to take you shopping for some things for your apartment as a graduation gift.” Robert smiled putting an arm around his wife.

Shelby just stood there for several moments not saying a word. Here in front of her were two generously kind people that had taken her under their wing and made her feel special”something that never happened.

Tears glistened as she smiled and drew a shaky breath, “You want to do that for me?”

Robert and Lois both engulfed Shelby in their arms for a three way hug.

“Of course we do Shelby we’ve always wanted a granddaughter like you. Please let us do this.”

Shelby pulled back to look at Lois. “This is the sweetest thing anyone has done for me. I’d be honored, but on one condition.”

Robert glanced at his wife who couldn’t be more happy, “What’s that dear?”

“You let me call you grandma and grandpa.”

Shelby watched tears form in Lois’s eyes as she put her hands to her mouth.

“Oh you’ve made me the happiest old lady around.” Lois choked hugging Shelby tightly.

“I hate to break this up, but we need to get going.” Robert smiled at his two companions.

“Oh, yes, we’ve got to go to Home Depot. Have you ever been there Shelby?” Lois asked with excitement.

“No, we never had a Home Depot in Minot, we had Menards but no Home Depot. What can I say our mall really sucked.” Shelby shrugged. “Wait isn’t it getting late? Are they going to be open.”

“Shelby, you’re from North Dakota, this is Chicago, stores are open later. Come on, follow us.” Robert guided them out.

Shelby got in her car and followed her newly proclaimed grandparents out of the parking lot. Turning onto the interstate Shelby started to get nervous. There were cars
passing like crazy as they closed in on the city. Shelby could only hope Orlando wouldn’t be this crazy or she’d go insane.

“Shelby how are you holding up back there are you feeling okay?” Lois’s voice sounded over the radio.

“This traffic is nuts, talk about making me crazy. Is it always this busy?” Shelby asked.

“It’s rush hour Shelby people are getting off work and going home. Orlando won’t be nearly as bad, but you do need to get used to driving in lots of traffic hun.” Robert’s voice sounded.

“I know grandpa. How long before we get there?” Shelby asked.

“It’ll probably be another hour with traffic like it is.” Robert answered.

Shelby just sighed and whispered “great” to herself.

Now that they were stopped in a line of cars, Shelby had a chance to take in her surroundings. Chicago had come into better vie. There were many sky scrapers and other tall buildings”all with smoke coming from them. The lights were on and clearly visible considering the late hour. It reminded Shelby of Metropolis or Gotham City right out of a movie.

Traffic started moving again and Robert’s estimated hour was right. About an hour later they pulled into the Home Depot parking lot.

Home Depot was a new experience for Shelby. There were cool things all over such as furniture, material, linens, anything you could think of.

Lois led the trio to the linen and bedding section.

“Every new apartment should have new bed stuff. Pick out something you like Shelby. Maybe something black and pink from the way you dress I can see you like them
colors.” Lois smiled.

Shelby just stood in aw at all the choices she could pick from. There were blacks, and whites, colors, designs, almost anything you could ask for.

Shelby chose black sheets, a bright pink blanket and a black comforter. For pillow cases she chose two black ones and a pink that matched her blanket”it would make a good accent.

Next Lois guided them to the bathroom accessories.

“Look Shelby you could choose something traditional,” she pointed to the yellow ducks, “or go with something unusual and unique.”

Shelby saw what Lois was pointing to and instantly loved it. There were black puppies everywhere. A black puppy soap holder, bath mat shaped like a puppy, shower
curtains black with pink puppies, and wash cloths and towels the same print.

Shelby chose what she wanted and felt she needed from that set, then they were off to the next station.

“Can you do any painting?” Robert asked spotting the paint section”something he could relate to a little better.

“They said I could if I wanted to.” Shelby nodded.

“Let’s go check it out.” Robert took the lead this time, his girls close behind.

____________________

Orlando

“Welcome to Turbo Latte, my name is Aimee and I’ll be your waitress.” A young woman smiled setting two waters in front of an elderly couple.

“Hello Aimee. That’s such a pretty name.” the woman smiled at her.

“Thank you ma’am, can I get you folks anything to drink right away?” Aimee smiled back.

“I’ll take a decaf coffee please.” The man answered.

“That sounds just wonderful. I’ll have the same thanks.”

“All right two decaf’s it is. I’ll bring those out right away.” Aimee wrote their drink order down and walked behind the counter.

Aimee Martin had worked at Turbo Latte for going on 3 years. It was helping put her through college. Aimee seemed the epitome of a coffee shop worker. She had a look about her that made her fit perfectly.

She was short, standing a mere 5’1 with shoes, she had long black hair with bright blue eyes and a loud mouth that didn’t take crap from anyone.

“Here you are,” she set the coffees in front of the couple and smiled, “Are we ready to order?”

“Yes, I will have an egg salad sandwich on wheat and he’ll have a hamburger.” The woman ordered with a bright smile on her face.

“All right, one egg salad sandwich on wheat and one hamburger, anything else?” Aimee wrote they’re order down and waited to see if they were going to order anything else.

“That’s it for now honey.” The woman patted her hand assuring Aimee they were done.

Aimee went to give they’re order to the cook Bonner when she heard the door open.

“Joey, I cannot believe you followed me here.” Lance sighed sitting down.

“I wanted to check out your woman.” Joey shrugged as if it was a natural thing to do.

“Whatever Joey, she’s not my woman. We’re just friends and you better not do or say anything to embarrass me in front of her.” Lance warned.

Joey put his hands up and looked innocent. “I won’t embarrass you Lance, I promise.”

Lance just rolled his eyes, then smiled when he spotted Aimee coming towards them.

“Hey Lance, you never miss a day do you?” Aimee smiled setting waters and menu’s in front of them.

“Of course not, the food is good and I get to see my favorite waitress.” Lance smiled at her.

“You wouldn’t know if the food was good or not, you order the same thing every time. You need to live a little Lance.” Aimee shook her head.

“That’s what we tell him all the time but he never listens.” Joey piped up, shaking his head.

“Now who are you? I’ve never seen you in here before.” Aimee turned her attention to Joey.

“I am Joey, one of Lance’s friends and band mates.” Joey stuck out his hand.

Aimee shook his hand and smiled, “Nice to meet you Joey, who would have thought that Lance has friends. He seems like such a loner.”

At that Lance wiped away a fake tear and pretended to sniffle in pain.

“Oh Lance, you know I’m just kidding.” She laughed patting his head. “So do you fellas know what you want to eat or perhaps drink?”

“I’ll have the usual.” Lance nodded.

“That would be an egg salad sandwich on wheat, no crust with a frosty mocha.” Aimee wrote his order down then turned to Joey, “And for you sir.”

“I’ll have the same, but I’m a grown man and I can handle the crust.” Joey winked at Aimee flirtatiously.

“You are too much.” Aimee shook her head and turned to Lance. “You have crazy friends.”

With that Aimee turned and went behind the counter to start their order.

“She’s a feisty one Lance, are you sure you can handle her.” Joey watched Aimee walk away.

“What’s that supposed to mean? We’re just friends, she’s a really sweet girl.” Lance explained.

“And that’s why you have that goofy grin on your face.” Joey smirked.

“Shut up Joey, no one asked you.” Lance sighed rolling his eyes.

“Don’t roll them too far back Lance they might get stuck back there and then what would you do.” Aimee glanced at him before setting they’re food and drinks in front
of them.

“I’ll try not to. Do you get a break or something any time soon?” Lance asked looking around the virtually empty room.

“Hold on.” Aimee held up a finger then went to go help the elderly couple who were waiting at the counter to check out.

After they left, Joey and Lance were the only ones left in the café.

Lance started eating but ended up waiting to see if Aimee was coming back out. He scooted over as he saw her coming over with a plate and a glass.

Aimee slid into the booth next to Lance and took a bite of her sandwich. She noticed she was being watched and quickly swallowed. “What?”

Joey and Lance quickly looked away and concentrated on eating. Aimee could only shake her head and roll her eyes.

“Don’t roll them too hard Aimee, you wouldn’t want them to get stuck back there.” Lance repeated something similar to her words earlier.

“Bite me Lance.”

“Mark the spot.” Lance answered.

“Blah, so anyway, what are you guys up to today?” Aimee asked lighting up a cigarette.

“Well, we’re done with rehearsal so other then that nothing.” Lance answered sitting back in his seat.

“You smoke? Don’t you know that’s bad for you,” Joey wrinkled his nose.

“Yeah, what of it, a lot of people smoke now days.” Aimee shrugged and took a drag.

“Yeah, but the cool kids don’t. And it makes your breath stink.” Joey waved his hand in front of his nose.

“Are you trying to say that I have bad breath? I never realized you were rude.” Aimee looked at him weird.

“I’m not rude, I’m just stating a point. Besides I can’t smell your breath from here. Do you have a boyfriend or anything? I hear it’s not nice to kiss someone who
smokes.” Joey glanced at Lance who was trying to persuade him to stop talking.

“No I don’t have a boyfriend and I wouldn’t know what its like to kiss someone who smokes, I’ve never done that. And I never asked those who did kiss me after I smoked to see if they liked it or not.” Aimee took another drag and shrugged her shoulders.

“Well I would try kissing you and telling you what its like but my girlfriend wouldn’t like that much. Lance doesn’t have a girlfriend; he can kiss you and tell us whether
or not it tastes bad.” Joey winked at Lance.

“Why do you have to bring me into your argument?” Lance asked.

“Because you’re the one without a girlfriend and you’re sitting right next to her.” Joey pointed out the obvious.

“Well geez, Lance if you don’t want to kiss me you don’t have to.” Aimee looked away trying not to look hurt.

Lance saw the pain on her face before she looked away and cursed himself for making her feel bad. He brought his hand up to her chin to bring her face to look at him.
He closed his eyes and softly kissed her fully on the mouth, bring his tongue to gently open her lips. He never realized kissing her would feel so good, so right.

Aimee was the first to pull away when she heard Joey whistle.

“Well, how was it Lance?” Joey asked.

Lance’s face was still close enough to Aimee’s to feel her breath upon him; he smiled tenderly and whispered, “Perfect.”

Aimee stood up abruptly and went to the bathroom, leaving Lance to wonder what if he did or said something wrong.

“Way to go Lance, you the man.” Joey slapped his arm.

“Shut up Joey.” Lance snapped then went to see if Aimee was alright.

“Aimee?” he softly knocked on the door.

“Go away Lance.” He heard her say.

“Are you crying honey?” Lance asked his heart breaking at the thought that he caused her tears.

“No.” she tried to hide the tears in her voice.

“I’m coming in sweetie.” Lance slowly opened the door and saw her standing in front of the mirror, tears running down her face.

“Get out of here. I don’t want you here.” Aimee hiccupped when she saw him standing there.

“What’s wrong Aimee, was it something I did?” Lance asked going to her.

“I don’t know, it’s just everything.” Aimee sighed.

“Tell me about it.” Lance encouraged her slipping an arm around her waist bringing her closer to him.

“School is stressful and then there’s you. You aren’t supposed to be so nice. You confuse me. I thought we were friends, and I told myself not to like you but I couldn’t help it, I really like you Lance. I assumed you thought of me just as a friend and then you kissed me and now I’m even more confused.” Aimee wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her head against his neck.

Lance wrapped both of his arms tightly around her waist, keeping the silence and letting her cry.

“I’m sorry that I confuse you Aimee. I don’t mean to confuse you.” Lance looked into her eyes, drying her tears with his thumbs. “I do like you, I’ve liked you since the moment I saw you. I always assumed you thought of me as just a friend. I’d never dreamed that you’d like me too. I’d really like to try a relationship with you, if you’d like to.” Lance smiled watching her face for her reaction.

“You really like me?” Aimee sniffed.

“Yes Aimee, I really like you. Is that so hard to believe?” Lance questioned.

“No not really, you’re a pop star, I’m a waitress, what do I have to offer.” Aimee shrugged feeling worthless.

“You’ve a lot to offer Aimee, you’re a sweet woman and I can’t wait to get to know you better.” Lance tucked her hair behind her ear.
Lance watched Aimee’s face, his eyes moving from her eyes to her lips. When she moved closer to him he got what he wanted and slowly dipped his head and softly kissed her on the lips.

Their moment was ruined when Bonner knocked on the door and yelled, “Aimee hurry up, you’re break’s almost up.”

“I’m sorry.” Aimee smiled.

“It’s okay baby. What are you doing this week? I’d like to go out sometime before we leave for tour.” Lance asked searching her face.

“I have school and work almost every day. And we still haven’t found a new waitress to fill the day when Nora leaves. It’s going to be a hectic week. I think I should be able to get away on Thursday. Does that work for you?” Aimee looked up at him.

“Thursday is perfect. I can’t wait.” Lance softly kissed her one more time then they left the bathroom.

Lance looked around for Joey and found him the only one still in the café. He waved and went to the cash register to pay.

“How much do I owe you?” Lance asked Aimee.

“Five dollars even.” Aimee smiled at him.

“Here you go,” Lance handed her a twenty dollar bill; “keep the change.”

“You ready Lance?” Joey asked clearly anxious to get going.

“Yeah hold your horses,” Lance waved.

“Pick me up here at 8.” Aimee smiled at him.

“Will do, take care of yourself hon.” Lance touched her cheek then walked out the door with Joey in tow.

“So Lance, what happened in the bathroom?” Joey winked at Lance.

“It’s none of your business Joey.” Lance shook his head.

“Oh come on, we all know you guys were all hot and bothered.” Joey nudged Lance.

“Just drop it Joe.”

_________________

Chicago

“I’d like 2 gallons of black paint and one gallon of bright pink.” Shelby told the clerk at the paint counter.

“Let me get this straight one gallon of bright pink and two gallons of black?” the clerk looked at her funny.

“Yes that’s what I said.” Shelby nodded.

“What are you using it for?” he asked snidely.

“Why do you need to know, just fill the order.” Shelby felt her defense going up.

“I just need to know what kind of paint you need.” He replied abruptly.

“I’m painting my apartment black.” Shelby challenged.

“Okay, that wasn’t so hard was it?” The clerk rolled his eyes.

“Are you always this rude sir?” Lois asked standing up for Shelby.

“Excuse me?” he asked taken aback.

“You heard me,” Lois looked at the young man’s nametag, “Nathan.”

“I’m sorry ma’am.” Nathan apologized.

“Don’t apologize to me apologize to my granddaughter.” Lois pointed to Shelby.

Nathan just glanced at Shelby and walked over to the paint mixer to get they’re order filled.

Lois just let him fill the paint and when he was finished, Lois asked for his manager.

“Hello, my name is Nicholas, I’m Nathan’s manager how can I help you today?” the manager shook Lois’s hand.

“Hello Nicholas my name is Lois and this is my granddaughter Shelby. Nathan there treated Shelby very rudely and I kindly asked him to apologize but he just ignored me and continued to have an attitude.” Lois explained the situation to the best of her ability.

“Well ma’am I do apologize for Nathan’s rudeness and I apologize to you young lady,” Nicholas nodded to Shelby. “I assure you Nathan will be disciplined accordingly but for now, I’d like to give you all your purchases free. Whatever you have in your posession is on the house. Just take this to the counter and they’ll know what to do.”

Shelby watched as Nicholas wrote something on a piece of paper and hand it to Lois.

“Thank you sir, you’re so kind.” Lois smiled at Nicholas.

“Excuse me sir, I just wanted to thank you. Nobody’s stuck up for me before. I really appreciate it.” Shelby stuck out her hand ready to shake his.

“You’re welcome Shelby. We do what we can.” Nicholas nodded shaking her hand.

Lois turned around and headed toward checkout. The paint was the last thing on the list for them to get.

“Shelby, do you need anything else? Technically this wasn’t us buying you anything. We could stop at the mall. They have some pretty cool clothing stores there.” Lois suggested.

Shelby shrugged and nodded. “That’s fine with me grandma.”

The trio went thru the checkout and went to the nearest mall.

“Shelby there’s a really cool store that I think you would enjoy.” Robert grabbed her hand and headed toward the mall entrance.

“Oh here we go again.” Lois sighed knowing where he was headed.

Shelby was amazed at the store that he brought her to. It was called Hot Topic and as soon as she walked in she fell in love with it all. They had lots of black and red and pink and accessories. Shelby picked out 5 different outfits all of them were black with different colors.

One was a pair of camouflage pants that went to mid calf with a pink t-shirt that said “People Suck” over a black long sleeve shirt.Her second choice was a pair of black pants with buckles hanging from them and a red shirt that had built in black long sleeve fishnet arms. Her third outfit was a long black skirt (at the insistence of Lois) with a black Level 27 shirt”the Level 27 in red. Her fourth outfit was a pair of black baggy pants that went half way to her calf and a red AFI t-shirt with black writing. Shelby wasn’t sure who AFI was but the clerk assured they were a good band and persuaded her to buy one of they’re CDs. Her fourth and final outfit was a pair of baggy red pants with an Alice in Wonderland shirt. Shelby got an awesome pair of boots that went to her mid-calf with sweet looking buckles and black laces. To finish off the fashion”she got several new spiked bracelets, chokers, and what were called “arm warmers”. Robert and Lois proudly walked out of the store proud of Shelby’s individuality.

“You did great Shelby, and you’re going to look great.” Robert rested an arm around her shoulders.

“Thank you grandpa, that means a lot to me. I had a lot of fun. Thanks for showing me that store. I loved it.” Shelby returned his semi-hug.

“Let’s hit the road kids, we still have a few hours of driving left before we stop again.” Robert smiled at his girls.

“How long do you think it’ll be before we get to Florida?” Shelby asked.

“We should be there by late tomorrow morning or tonight if you want to get technical.” Robert answered.

The rest of the trip went very uneventful and true to his word, Robert got them to Tampa, around 3am. Shelby spent the night and left about noon the next morning excited to get to Orlando.
Chapter 6 by Leeann
Shelby opened the door to her apartment cautiously, a quiet excitement built as she looked into the room. Nothing could have prepared her for the sight before her. Shelby felt her spirits sink when she saw the horrible condition the apartment was in. The place was a disaster. Dirt and scum covered everything; the sink, the floor, the walls, the toilet, everything imaginable was covered in dirt.

“Yeah, welcome home.” Shelby sighed shutting the door to the mess.

There was no way she was going to put her things on the floor, even if it was all in boxes. Shelby walked down to her car to find a place to buy cleaning supplies, she was'nt going to walk in without a load of disinfectant.

After an hour of driving around getting absolutely no where, Shelby stopped for directions at a little coffee shop called Turbo Latte. She was feeling stressed out and
she felt she could use the caffeine as well as directions to the nearest Walmart.

“Hello, welcome to Turbo Latte, my name is Aimee, what can I get for you today?” a girl asked Shelby the moment she sat down.

“Yes hi, I’d like a glass of cold water as well as a cold mocha if you have it.” Shelby replied timidly.

“Sure, coming right up. Can I get you anything else?” Aimee smiled after writing her order down.

“Yes, nothing in the way of food but I was just wondering where the nearest Walmart or place to buy some cleaning supplies is. I’m new here and I don’t know my way around”my apartment trashed and I need to clean.” Shelby nodded.

“Sure, I can do even better, if you can wait say,” Aimee glanced at her watch, “half an hour I can show you how to get there. It’s 3:00 right now and I get off at 3:30 if you want to wait. I need to pick up some things myself.”

Shelby glanced down at her watch then back up at Aimee, not believing how friendly this total stranger was. Shelby smiled back and nodded in agreement, “I’ll wait. That’s really nice of you, thank you. Can you add a hamburger to my order? I haven’t eaten yet today.”

“Of course you can it’s coming right up.” Aimee patted the table then took the order back to Bonner.

“Hey miss, can I ask you a question.” Shelby called to Aimee.

“Yeah, what’s that? And it’s Aimee by the way.” Aimee answered while fixing Shelby’s drink.

“Have you found a waitress yet?”

Aimee looked over at Shelby who was looking at the Help Wanted sign. In front of her was finally someone who was interested in a job”at least she hoped.

“Nope, we’ve been looking but nobody has applied yet. Are you interested?” Aimee asked setting Shelby’s drinks down in front of her.

“Actually yes I am. I live like a block away from here and I don’t have a job yet, I just moved here. I used to work at Denny’s so I do have experience.”

“Bonner,” Aimee called back to the kitchen.

“What’s your problem?” Bonner answered back.

“There’s someone here interested in the waitress position.”

“I’ll be right there.”

Aimee pulled up a seat across from Shelby and lit a cigarette. “This doesn’t bother you does it?” Aimee waved to her smoke.

Shelby just shook her head and smiled. She couldn’t believe how easy it was to talk to this girl. All her life she’d had problems talking; especially with people she
didn’t know. Maybe things were changing for the better after all.

“Are you the one interested in the position?” a greasy guy wearing an apron asked her.

“Yes sir, my name is Shelby and I’d like to work here.” Shelby stood up and looked him in the eyes.

“It’ll be a day shift starting at 6am and ends when she comes in at 3pm. I know it’s a lot of hours, but it’s usually slow in the mornings.” Bonner explained.

“It sounds good to me. Can I fill out an application or anything?” Shelby inquired.

“No, don’t even worry about it. You’re hired.” Bonner smiled and stuck out his hand.

Shelby’s face showed surprise as she returned his handshake. “Thank you sir, I won’t let you down.”

“Don’t worry about it. You look like a hard worker, and you get along with Aimee you’ll do good here.” Bonner nodded. “But if you don’t want me to burn your
hamburger I had better get back.

“Thanks again.” Shelby grinned, feeling like she’d accomplished something.

“That’s so cool Shelby, congratulations.” Aimee told her.

“Thank you Aimee, I’m still in shock. I can’t believe this is all happening. It’s hard to believe I’m actually here.”

“Well, I’d like to continue this conversation but I have to get they’re order,” she gestured to the couple that just walked in.

Shelby was floating on cloud nine when her order came and she finished eating in record time.

“Joey what are you doing here?” Aimee asked when she saw who walked through the door.

“Came to deliver you a message from the guys, JC’s having a BBQ and we want you to come.” Joey answered.

“I’m going to Walmart after work, I’m showing her around.” Aimee gestured to where Shelby was sitting.

“Who are you?” Joey asked sitting across from Shelby.

Shelby looked up at the face in front of her. She didn’t understand why he was sitting there asking her who she was so she just continued to stare at him.

“Joey, leave her alone.” Aimee punched him in the arm.

“Why, doesn’t she talk? Who is she.” Joey asked again.

“I’m Shelby and yes I can talk, but I don’t know you.” Shelby answered.

“Neat, I’m Joey; it’s nice to meet you. Do you want to go to a BBQ with us after your Walmart trip?” Joey wondered smiling at her.

“I won’t know anyone.” Shelby looked at them skeptically.

“It’ll be a good time to get to know people.” Aimee smiled encouragingly.

“Yeah, and you’ll know me and Aimee.” Joey reminded her.

“No, I don’t know you. I just know your name.” Shelby pointed out.

“Simple technicalities, what does that matter. So you’re coming? Okay great.” Joey answered very sure of himself.

“Whatever.” Shelby shrugged.

“What time are you off?” Joey turned his attention to Aimee.

“Now.” Aimee said when she realized the time.

“Well geez girl, what are you waiting for? Let’s go!” Joey jumped up and clapped his hands.

Shelby just watched the two of them interact and felt like a 3 wheel. They knew each other and she was just an insider. She wasn’t really sure about going
with them to this BBQ. She’d see how it went after Walmart whether she went or not.

Shelby followed Aimee to Walmart and knew why she got lost, it took at least 30 minutes to get there taking different backstreets. Shelby knew she’d have never found it by herself and was glad Aimee asked her to follow.

“So follow me and we’ll go to the JC’s.” Aimee stated as they walked out of Walmart.

Shelby felt like she had just purchased everything in the disinfectant isle as she carried her bags to the car. She would follow Aimee but if she didn’t like it she would go home right away.

The drive didn’t last very long just a few short minutes before Shelby again felt like an outsider. She watched Aimee enter the house and felt like driving off. She wasn’t good at dealing with people, it was another five minutes before Shelby finally got the nerve to knock on the door.

“We don’t want any.” The coldest blue eyes said down to her.

“I’m here with Aimee.” Shelby replied to this tall man with curly hair and blue eyes.

“Aimee has been here for at least 10 minutes, if you were here you would have come in with her.” He argued.

“I had to take care of something out here.” Shelby pointed to the driveway.

Justin just rolled his eyes and slammed the door.

Shelby felt a sickening in her stomach as she knocked on the door again, Aimee invited her and she was determined to at least speak with her.

“What do you want.” Justin opened the door again.

“Let me talk to Aimee, she’ll let me in.” Shelby stated rather timidly.

“Aimee doesn’t know you. I asked her. We don’t want your,” he looked her up and down, “kind, here.”

Shelby felt the blood drain from her face as the door was once again slammed in her face. She ran to her car and got in, driving as fast as she could, she made a safe
getaway to her apartment. Was it possible that people here were the same as in North Dakota. Shelby felt the tears running down her face as she started to clean her
house.

Five hours later Shelby studied the room with a satisfied sigh. Everything was clean; all of the dirt and grime was now down the drain. Shelby was exhausted as she
took the bedding out of her car. She made a bed on the floor and fell asleep for the first time in her new apartment.

Shelby woke up early the next morning and headed to find a store where she could purchase a phone. After doing so she went to the coffee shop to see if she was
needed today.

“Hey Shelby, what are you doing here?” Aimee greeted her as she walked in.

“I don’t know, I just wanted to see when I’m supposed to start working.” Shelby shrugged.

“Bonner, Shelby’s here to see you.” Aimee called. “Missed you at the BBQ last night, what happened?”

“I don’t know someone there wouldn’t let me in. They didn’t believe me that I was with you so I just left.” Shelby sat down at one of the tables.

“Who was it? I’m going to kill them.” Aimee rolled her eyes and pulled up a chair across from Shelby.

“He was tall and he had curly hair with blue eyes. He definitely had a bad attitude, he was rude.” Shelby sighed when she remembered his cold words.

“That was Justin, he’s never been like that before. Something must have been up, I’m sorry about that Shelby, I’ll talk to him about it.”

“You don’t have to do that Aimee, I’m used to it. Just let it be.” Shelby protested.

“Just let it be? No way. Nobody treats my friends like crap, especially not him of all people.”

“Thank you Aimee, that means a lot to me.”

“Don’t mention it. You’re my friend, even if I don’t know you well.” Aimee smiled.

“What can I do for you Shelby,” Bonner asked seeing her there.

“I was just wondering when I should come in to work.” Shelby answered.

“Well today is Wednesday right, what do you think Aimee?” Bonner turned to Aimee.

“I can show her around now. There’s not much to learn. That way she can work tomorrow when I go out.” Aimee smiled.

“Works for me.” Shelby nodded in agreement.

“Okay, have fun kids.” Bonner walked back to the kitchen.

“What are you going to do after work Shelby?” Aimee asked nearing the end of they’re shift.

Shelby had been a quick learner. She had everything down and would have no problems working on her own. She impressed Aimee and Bonner, both of them
thought it would take longer to train her but she had it down quickly.

"What are you doing after this?" Aimee asked.

“I don’t know; probably start moving my stuff in.” Shelby shrugged.

“Did you need any help? I’m supposed to meet the guys after work. We could all help you.” Aimee suggested.

“I don’t know, I don’t have that much, it’s not really necessary.”

“Come on Shelby, you can get to know them then. And we can make Justin apologize.”

“No, I don’t want to be a bother.” Shelby shook her head knowing the unwanted feeling all to well.

“Well there are Joey and Lance, lets see if they can help.” Aimee pointed to the door.

“Did I hear my name?” Joey asked pulling up a chair next to Shelby.

“You’ve got big ears Joey.” Aimee chuckled as Lance took a seat next to her.

“Well, I must hear when I’m being talked about. So why were you talking about me?” Joey demanded.

“Shelby’s going to be moving all her things into her apartment today and I suggested we could help her.” Aimee answered.

“Yeah we can. Justin is on his way and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind helping either.” Lance agreed.

“Listen guys, I don’t really need your help, I can do it by myself. I don’t have much to do.” Shelby assured them.

“Don’t worry about it Shelby, we’d be happy to help.” Joey smiled and put an arm around her shoulder.

“There’s Justin now.” Aimee pointed to the door.

“Hey guys how’s it going?” Justin asked coming upon the group.

“Hi Justin.” Aimee greeted.

“I’m so bored. What are you guys up to?” he asked sitting down on the other side of Aimee so that he was directly facing Shelby.

“We’re going to help Shelby move her stuff in.” Joey answered.

Shelby wanted nothing to do with this, she wanted to go home and do everything herself, but she knew that Joey and Aimee wouldn’t hear of it. Thankfully Justin
hadn’t said anything, but she had a feeling he would any minute now. She braced herself for the hurtful words she knew were coming.

“Who’s Shelby?” Justin asked still not acknowledging Shelby’s presence.

“Are you blind? She’s sitting right in front of you.” Lance pointed to Shelby.

Justin noticed Shelby in front of him and his whole demeanor changed. He immediately went on the defense recognizing her from the previous night. He rolled his
eyes and sighed clearly not wanting to deal with her.

“I don’t need any help.” Shelby repeated.

“Yeah, she needs to work off the weight anyway.” Justin said rudely.

Shelby felt the words hit her like a glass of cold water. The blood drained from her face as her breathing quickened.

“Justin that was uncalled for.” Joey looked at his friend in shock.

“Well, it’s true. Just look at her.” Justin gestured towards her.

“Excuse me, I’ve got to go.” Shelby jumped up and almost ran out of the coffee shop.

“What the hell Justin.” Lance glared at him.

“I’ll be back.” Joey stated walking out the door after her.

Shelby ran to her car and before she could reach it, Joey had caught up to her.

“Wow, you have a really nice car Shelby.” Joey said the first thing that came to his mind not wanting to frighten her.

“Thank you.” She whispered trying to control herself.

“Where did you get it?” he asked.

“From a friend.”

“Are you okay Shelby?” Joey asked seeing her pale face.

“I don’t know.” Shelby answered honestly.

“Maybe you should sit down. Come back inside.” He grabbed her hand, feeling how clammy it was he started to get worried.

“Not when he’s in there.” Shelby shook her head violently.

“Who?”

“Justin.”

“He’s not usually like that.”

“That’s what Aimee said, but I don’t believe it. He was exactly like that last night.”

“Is that why you never came to the BBQ?”

“He pretty much told me to take a hike. He was very rude.” Shelby answered.

Joey didn’t like the expression on her face as she stated the last remark. It looked like she was going to pass out any minute. He opened up her car door and put his
hand on her lower back, “Here, get in. You need to sit down honey.”

“No. The steering wheel is in the way.”

Joey chuckled then led her around to the passengers side and opened the door, “Get in.” he repeated.

Shelby obeyed and sat in the car. She lay her head back against the head rest and breathed deeply. She couldn’t feel anything but the anxious feeling in the pit of her
stomach. She nearly freaked out when Joey got in next to her in the drivers side.

“It’s okay Shelby, just relax. Take a few deep breaths.” He coached, genuinely worried for her health.

The next thing he new Joey saw Shelby’s eyes roll into the back of her head. “Shelby!” he said lightly patting her face.

He got out and ran into the café. “Guys I’m going to the hospital.”

“Wait, Joey, what’s wrong?” Lance asked running after him.

“Shelby’s passed out and I don’t know what’s wrong. Meet me there Lance please.” Joey jumped in her car and drove to the hospital.

Cursing the traffic the whole way there, Joey made it in a half an hour. To his dismay Shelby hadn’t woke up once. She was still out cold, her hands were clammy
and her face felt warm.

He ran into the hospital and got a few nurses to help him get her out of the car. He had no way of carrying her in to the building so they rolled her in on a stretcher.
Joey waited in the waiting room for them to see what was wrong.

“Joey!” Lance exclaimed seeing his friend there.

“Lance, thank God you’re here. They’ve been in there for like an hour now and they still haven’t said anything.” Joey hugged his friend.

It was then Joey noticed who else was with him, “What are you doing here?”

“Lance wanted me to come with.” Justin shrugged.

“You better keep your mouth shut.” Joey glared at his young friend, threatening him with his stare.

Justin just put up his hands and sat down in a chair.

“Excuse me, are you the gentleman who brought Miss Shelby here?” the doctor asked Joey.

“Yes sir. What’s wrong with her? Is she going to be all right? Can we see her?” Joey asked jumping to his feet.

“Calm down young man. Miss Murphy is going to be fine. She had what we call a panic attack which caused her to black out. She’s doing fine and resting now. You can go see her but you need to be quiet she needs to let her body come down for a few minutes before she’s fine to go home.” The doctor smiled at Joey.

Lance and Justin stood there glad to here that there wasn’t anything major wrong, they decided to get some drinks while Joey checked on Shelby first.

When the two had left the doctor pulled Joey aside and told him news he didn’t want to hear, “I think you’re dealing with one depressed girl. She has the signs of
cutter. She has faint scars up and down her arms usually caused by a knife or scissors. I’d watch out for this young lady.”

“Thank you doctor, I’ll remember that.” Joey patted his arm.

Joey cautiously walked through the door leading to Shelby’s room. She smiled when she saw him and motioned for him to come in.

He walked to the side of her bed and gingerly sat down on the edge. “You gave us quite a stare young lady.”

“And to think it wasn’t even that big a deal, just a stupid panic attack. They gave me medication for them, they figure I’m going to have them more then this one
time. I’ve never had a panic attack in my life. I tried to tell them that but they wouldn’t hear of it. They just wanted to charge me more money to pay for the pills. Oh
well what can you do.” Shelby put her hands up in defeat.

“You’re one cool kid Shelby. Seriously, don’t change for anyone.” Joey chuckled then leaned down and kissed her forehead.

“Thanks, I think. So did they tell you when I get to leave this place? I hate hospitals. They remind me of death.” Shelby shuddered remembering her mother’s death.

“Why do they remind you of death?” Joey asked curiously.

“Because the last hospital I was in, my mother died right in front of me. That was when I was 8 years old.” Shelby sighed, missing her mother more that moment
then ever before.

“I’m sorry Shelby,” Joey squeezed her hand.

Just then Lance appeared at the door followed by Justin.

“How’s it going Shelby? Are you okay?” Lance asked coming to stand next to Joey.

“Yeah, I’ll live. It was just a stupid panic attack. Sorry if I bothered you guys.” Shelby smiled at Lance.

“It’s not like we had anything better to do.” Justin sneered from behind Lance.

Shelby just chose to ignore him and turned back to Joey.

“So did they tell you when I can go?”

“No, they said your body needed to calm down a bit. I’m sure it’s calm now though. Let’s push the nurse button, maybe they’ll come.” Joey reached over and
pushed the button.

“You just got here and you’re already using the button.” The doctor laughed as he came through the door.

“Shelby here was just wondering when she could be released from her current prison.” Joey asked pointing to Shelby who was waiting for the doctor’s answer.

The doctor checked over her heart monitor and looked at some charts then came to stand on the other side of the bed. “You can go now if you’d like, your body has definitely calmed down a lot. Please take the medication we gave you if you feel the panic rising. After the first panic attack it’s not rare to get them again.”

“Okay, thank you sir. One other question though…where did you put my clothes?” Shelby asked picking at the hospital gown thing she was wearing.

“Over on that chair.” The doctor pointed to her things laying neatly in a pile waiting to go back on.

“Thank you.” Shelby nodded at the doctor.

“You’re welcome, I would say come again but we wouldn’t want that.” He chuckled softly.

The three of them watched as the doctor made his exit leaving them alone with Shelby.

“Did you hear that Shelby? You can go now if you want to.” Joey smiled down at her.

“Yeah, can you guys like leave while I change my clothes?” Shelby asked the group.

“Yeah, we’ll be in the hall waiting for you.” Lance answered, ushering the trio out of the room.

Shelby put her feet on the cold floor and walked over to her pile of clothing. Her choice of wardrobe today consisted of black baggy pants with her AFI shirt. She
put on her shirt first, then was struggling with the button on her pants, the IV cord was getting in the way. Shelby ripped out the cord then tried once again, being
unsuccessful a second time. Her zipper seemed to be caught on the fabric and nothing she tried advanced the zipper up.

Justin waited for 5 minutes for Shelby to come out while the others went to go check her out. After 10 minutes Justin opened the door and walked in. He could see
that Shelby was struggling to get her zipper up as she was dancing around trying to get it up. He came up behind her and put his hands on her arms stopping her. He
tugged on her zipper and it came up on the first try. He could tell by the way it was stuck that it was caught on the material. He stayed where he was for several
seconds then felt Shelby release a deep breath. “You know this wouldn’t be so bad if you weren’t so fat and ugly.”

He heard her take in a sharp breath and she stepped away from him as he turned and went out to find Joey and Lance.

Shelby grabbed a glass of water and threw it at the door after Justin. She hated him, hated what he did to her. She took one of the shattered pieces and applied it to her stomach, watching the blood appear in a thin line. She deposited the piece of glass in the garbage on her way out of the room and went to find her car.

“I’m going to drive you home Shelby.” Joey said when he saw her walking towards her car.

“No, I’m fine I can drive myself.” She stated opening the drivers door.

“They gave you medication and you’re not supposed to drive and I have your keys so get in.” he nodded to the passenger side.

Shelby was feeling a little tired so she just agreed and got in.

“So is this all the stuff you need to move into your place?” Joey looked in the back seat seeing it full of boxes.

“Yeah, and the trunk is full too.” Shelby nodded feeling really sleepy.

“When we get to your house I’ll help you bring the boxes upstairs. It’s the least I can do.” Joey started towards her house.

“No, I can do it.” Shelby disagreed again.

“Hush up Shelby; you don’t know what you’re saying. Just accept my help.” Joey smiled.

“Okay Joey.”

“Thank you. So I see that you had paint cans in the back there too. What are you painting?” he asked turning onto another street.

“My apartment.”

“Sweet what color?”

“Black.”

“Why black?”

“Because it’s my favorite color.”

“Why?”

“Because it is.”

“Whatever.”

Shelby rolled her eyes. She didn’t want to deal with Joey and his questions. All she wanted to do was go home and be alone. Nobody understood her and nobody
ever would. She shouldn’t have to justify why she liked black so much.

“You just passed it.” She said seeing her building go by.

“Oops.” Joey whipped around and parked in front of her building. He got out of the car and opened up the backdoor. There was no way that Shelby was going to
carry all the boxes up by herself.

“Joey, what are you doing?” Shelby sighed.

“Grabbing some stuff to take with.” Joey answered grabbing a box.

Shelby didn’t want to go up with him if he was going to carry a box and she wasn’t so she opened up the back door and grabbed a box nearly twice as big as the one
he grabbed.

Joey just chuckled and followed her up the stairs. He waited patiently for her to open the door and stepped into her apartment.

“Where do you want this?” he asked looking around.

“Just set it anywhere.” Shelby shrugged setting her box down by the wall.

“Nice place you got here.” Joey noted his surroundings.

It was a really cute place but the problem was there was only one room. There was a shower and sink and toilet but they weren’t even a divider between that and the
rest of it.

“I like it.” Shelby said before going back downstairs to grab some more stuff.

It took another 15 minutes before Shelby and Joey finally had everything upstairs. Joey had to go so he left Shelby and said he’d see her tomorrow.

Shelby welcomed the silence that her apartment brought, but was annoyed with it quickly and plugged in her CD player. She put in on the radio and cranked it up really loud. Shelby smiled knowing she finally had all the time she needed to herself.
Chapter 7 by Leeann
Five minutes after Joey left, Shelby heard a phone ringing, “Hello?” she answered picking it up.

“Who is this?” the female voice asked.

“Shelby, whose phone is this?” she questioned not recognizing it to be her own.

“It’s Joey’s phone. I’m his girlfriend Kelly, what are you doing with his phone?” she wondered.

“It’s a long story.”

“I’m all ears.”
“Well Lance, Joey, and Justin came into the coffee shop today and Justin said some rude things to me so I left and Joey followed. We were talking and had gotten to my car when I guess I had what they call a panic attack. He drove me to the hospital and I guess he just left here after he dropped me off.” Shelby explained.

“Oh, you poor girl, are you okay now?” Kelly asked concerned for her new friend.

“Yeah, they gave me some pills to take in case it happens again. Isn’t that typical of doctors, go in and come out with a bunch of drugs.” Shelby said in disgust.

“I hear you, listen, I have to go. As soon as I see him, I’ll send Joey to get his phone.”

“Okay, it was nice talking to you.” Shelby answered.

Shelby hung up the phone and sighed when it rang again, “Hello?”

“Hmm, you aren’t Joey, and you aren’t Kelly.” The voice sounded in her ear.

“I’m Shelby, Kelly is at home and Joey is well I don’t know where.” Shelby answered rolling her eyes.

“What are you doing with his phone?” The voice demanded.

“What is it to you?” Shelby sighed sick of people questioning her about such stupid things.

“Don’t sigh at me. I am Christopher Allen Kirkpatrick III and I demand to know all.”

“Right, freak is more like it.”

“Thank you, I’m proud of my heritage. So you never answered my question. Don’t leave me hanging sister-friend.” Chris whined.

“You must be like Joey, you both whine a lot. Bunch of babies.”

“Hey, that’s mean. Look what you did, you made me cry you meany.” Chris stuck out his lip and pouted thru the phone.

“I’m sorry Christopher I can’t see you cry. Sounds like you have a personal problem.” Shelby sat down on her makeshift bed on the floor.

“Oh, she’s a feisty one. Retract the claws kitten.” Chris giggled.

“Once again, I’ll freak. Strange is more like it. Are all your friends that way? The poor boys.”

“You mean you don’t know who we are?” Chris asked surprised.

“Yeah, you’re a dork Joey is a big kid, and Justin is an ass.”

“Well, we all have our faults, we can’t all be as perfect as Shelby with no last name.”

“I have a last name; I just don’t want to share it with a stranger.”

“Right.”

“Well, I have painting to do, so I’m going to go, if you don’t mind.”

“I do mind. I demand you stay on the phone and talk to me.”

“This isn’t even my phone.” Shelby reminded him.

“Oh come on Joey wouldn’t mind if you used it, especially when you’re talking to me.”

“Why? Are you having some kind of secret love affair behind Kelly’s back?”

“Oh yes, Joey is the love of my life. I don’t know what I’d do without him.”

Shelby started laughing feeling that this guy she was talking to was crazy.

“Ha, made you laugh. I am the master, bow to my excellence.”

“Yeah, that’s not going to happen.”

“Oh you know you want it baby, give it to me.”

“Gag me with a spoon.”

“I prefer the fork, death by the fork.”

“Christopher you’re a freak, a true freak, and with that I congratulate you.”

“Thank you, I am the bomb. What are you doing? You should come over here I’m bored.” Chris demanded.

“No thank you, I’m fixin to start painting. I’m hanging up now, goodbye Chris.”

Shelby hung up the phone and went over to her CD Player and turned it up loud once again.

Being that she never painted in her life, Shelby thought this was a fun and invigorating experience. An hour and a full black wall later, Shelby stood back
admiring her work of art.

“Very nice,” a voice startled her.

Shelby jumped and whirled around a hand on her pounding heart.

“How did you get in here?” She asked a grinning Joey.

“Well Kelly told me where my phone was and I came. Your music was playing so loud you didn’t hear me buzz you. Some older lady let me in she was just
the nicest lady. Anyway after that I knocked and then tried the handle and it was open which brings us up to this moment. So you really are painting your place black.” Joey observed the black wall.

Shelby just rolled her eyes and started painting again. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Joey move and assumed he was leaving.

Joey grabbed a roller and dipped into some paint, he took a spot a few feet just to the left of Shelby and started whistling.

“What are you doing?” she demanded glaring at him.

“Painting.” Joey nodded to the paint he was rolling onto the wall.

“No you’re not, you’re going home now. Here’s your phone; oh and some weirdo called other then Kelly. Christopher Allen Kirk-something. Never
seen”well heard someone so bizarre, talk about weird. You have strange friends Joey.”

Joey burst out laughing at that last remark.

“Oh Shel, you have no idea. Chris is the most immature crazy 30 year old I know.”

Shelby’s jaw dropped and she stared at him stupefied. “Are you nuts? There is no way that freak was 30.”

“He doesn’t seem like it does he? You should see him the actions match the words man. He’s hilarious.”

“Right,” Shelby grabbed some more paint and rolled it onto the wall.

“You don’t like to talk do you?” Joey observed, watching her closely.

“I have nothing to say.” Shelby shrugged continuing to paint.

“Oh well, if you’re going to be all snooty, I’m going to leave.” Joey set down his things and grabbed his things.

Shelby just glanced at him and shrugged.

Joey sighed heavily and walked towards the door hesitating a few feet from the door. He glanced back at Shelby finding her staring intently at the roller in her
hand.

“You have one depressed girl on your hands.” The doctors voice sounded in his head.

“Are you okay Shelby?” Joey asked causing her to jump.

Shelby looked up and tried to smile, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Well, I’ll see you around, with you working with Aimee and her with Lance I’m sure our paths will cross again. Happy painting.” Joey turned back towards
the door and walked out.

Shelby watched him leave and sighed, slumping her shoulders. Brad, he reminded her of Brad. “I miss you Brad.” She sighed whispering.

Clearing her mind of all foolishness Shelby focused on the task at hand”finishing the painting

It was one o’clock in the morning before she finally had all the walls and ceiling done. Another night on the floor was in store for Shelby something she wasn’t really looking forward too.

Tomorrow she’d go to Walmart again and buy furniture. She decided that she’d also find a bank to deposit her money in.

_________

5:30am

Sleep didn’t come to Shelby until about 2. She’d woke up abruptly when she’d heard a door slam and hadn’t been back to sleep since. She figured she’d get up and get ready for her first day of work.

“Morning Shelby.” Bonner greeted her a while later.

“Hello.” Shelby smiled quietly.

“Are you ready for an extra long shift?”

“I guess.” Shelby shrugged.

“Get pumped up, drink lots of caffeine looks like you’ve had a long night.”

“Yeah, I reckon.” Shelby sighed waiting for the cappuccino to warm up.

The first few hours went really slow, only a few people came in. By 2 in the afternoon the place was swamped.

“How are you holding up Shelby? This is crazy.” Bonner commented while Shelby filled the ice box.

“You’re telling me. This is awful good for business, but I’m going insane. At least everyone is patient. Do you have any idea why it’s so busy?”

“I really have no idea. We’re rarely this busy.” Bonner answered then handed her the order she was waiting for.

“Here you go, cheeseburger for you, and if I’m not mistaken you had the hamburger.” Shelby smiled politely and thanked them.

Two hours later the place hadn’t slowed up a bit. By now Shelby was exhausted she hadn’t had a break since about noon before they started getting busy.
Her legs and feet were killing her.

“Be right with you.” She told an elderly couple placing food on another table.

“It’s okay dear, we can see that you’re busy.” The woman smiled brightening Shelby’s demeanor.

“What can I get you folks to drink?” Shelby asked stepping in front of them.

“You can start by taking a deep breath, then I’ll have the soup and coffee.” The woman smiled.

“I’ll have the same.” The man added.

“Two soups and two coffee’s coming right up.” Shelby wrote they’re order down and cleared a table on her way back to the kitchen.

“Are they letting up at all?” Bonner asked spotting Shelby.

“No, as soon as I get a table cleared, it’s taken again. The coffee is a never ending cycle as well.” Shelby filled the two cups and brought them back out.

“Thank you dear.” The woman smiled at Shelby.

“Is there like something going on today? We have been busy all day.” Shelby asked the couple.

“There’s a big sidewalk sale going on just down the street. This place comes highly recommended.”

“Oh, that would explain a lot.” Shelby thanked them and went to report her findings to Bonner.

“Got another order for me Shel?” he asked seeing her enter the kitchen.

“Nope, but I know why we’re so busy.”

“And why’s that hun? Enlighten me.”

“There’s a big sidewalk sale going on down the street.”

“Oh shit. That was today? I completely forgot, I’m sorry Shelby I knew this day would be like this I just forgot when it was.” Bonner ran his hand over his
backward baseball cap and sighed.

“It’s okay. We’re managing.” Shelby assured him.

“You’re definitely doing good Shelby. I’m impressed, I mean nobody would know that yesterday was your training and today is your first day on your own.”

“I heard the door open again so I’m out.”

Shelby walked out and inhaled deeply. She grabbed a menu and a pad of paper and shoved it in her 3 pocket apron.

“How may I help you?” Shel asked the customer having not yet looked up.

“I’ll take a bowl of soup, 2 slices of wheat bread and a mocha shake.” The familiar voice spit out.

Shelby’s head popped up and to her dismay it was Justin.

“Anything else?” she smiled trying not to shake.

“No just get out of here and make my order. I can’t stand to look at you.” Justin rolled his eyes.

Shelby reacted as if she’d been slapped. Her face turned a bright red and she could feel tears burning at the back of her throat. She quickly turned away and
drew a breath.

Shelby gave the order to Bon and went to make the shake. She walked over to the freezer to grab the ice cream and sighed loudly when she found out they
were out of vanilla.

She cautiously walked over to Justin’s table.

“Excuse me,” she asked quietly.

Justin looked up and sighed loudly, “What now?”

“We’re out of vanilla ice cream.” Shelby answered.

“And that’s my problem, why?”

Shelby swallowed the snide remark that came to her mind and sighed, “You’re mocha shake requires vanilla ice cream which we ran out of.”

“Why don’t you burn a few needed calories and go get more.” Justin glared at her.

Shelby ignore the feelings of hate and turned around promising herself she wouldn’t loose herself over Justin again.

“Bonner we’re out of vanilla ice cream.” Shelby informed him.

“Okay thanks, I’ll order more. Soup and bread up for the new table.”

Shelby grabbed the platter and quickly walked out and set it down in front of Justin then went to clean off all the empty tables. All the tables had the bill and they’re payment under a plate. To her dismay, Justin was the only one left in the place.

Shelby took all the dirty plates to the kitchen before going back to talk to Bon.

“We’re almost empty, may I sit down?”

“Yes, take a cold one with you. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”
Shelby grabbed a frozen mocha and a frozen cappuccino and went to sit down. She set the mocha in front of Justin and took the other one to a table a ways away.

“Excuse me, what’s this?” Justin demanded looking up.

“Frozen mocha, closest thing to a shake I can get.” Shelby explained taking a bite of her own frozen drink.

Justin stared at it for a few seconds, “Oh,” he took a bite tasting it for several moments, “Thanks.”

Shelby had to strain to hear him but smiled when she did. Victory was hers this round. “You’re welcome.”

They sat there in a tense silence both daring the other to say something. They sat there eating and drinking they’re caffeine every so often looking up making eye contact only to quickly dart away.

“Why do you work in a food joint?” Justin asked breaking the silence.

“I don’t know, it’s the only kind of job I’ve ever had.” Shelby shrugged glancing up at him.

“Is that why you’re so fat”because you work in fast food?” Justin asked rudely.

“Why are you so mean?” Shelby swallowed thickly.

“I’m not mean. What are you talking about?”

“Whatever.” Shelby sighed trying to control the shaking that her body was trying to do.

“What’s wrong? Can’t take a little criticism?” Justin challenged.

Shelby chose to ignore him as hard as she could. ‘Does the whole world have to bring me down.’ She thought staring intently at her table.

“Do I scare you?” Justin asked moving to sit right in front of her.

Shelby started to feel dizzy and figured she was close to a panic attack. She kept glancing towards the door willing herself to calm down.

Just then the door flew open and two guys sauntered in, Shelby recognized one of them to be Joey. She sighed inwardly thanking them for coming at that moment.

“Oh my gosh. Are you two actually getting along?” Joey asked sitting down with them.

“As if.” Justin denied glaring at Shel, arms crossed leaning back in the chair.

“Then why are you sitting here?” Joey wondered.

“Because I wanted to come over here and prove a point, I have no other reason to associate with her.”

“This conversation between people is really starting to bore this sub-hybrid homosapian life form.” The guy to Shelby’s left spoke.

“Chris, you are not in an episode of Star Trek, talk like a normal person.” Joey scowled at him.

“Hush you fowl villain. Master, I sense a disturbance in the force. Senator Amidala is in trouble.” Chris’s gaze darted around the small café.

“See he’s just as crazy in person.” Joey nodded at Chris.

“That’s the freak on the phone?” Shelby asked astonished that this could be the same person she talked to last night.

“I am Anikin Skywalker, I am here to protect you Padime.” Chris offered Shel his hand.

“Anny? Is that you? I hardly recognized you. You’ve grown so much.” Shelby smirked playing along.

“Yeah and I thought JC was bad.” Joey shook his head.

“Shut up Joseph, before I behead you with my light saber.” Chris threatened putting his imaginary saber in the air.

“No Anikin, the council wouldn’t like it. Jedi Master’s need to learn to control their anger.” Shelby gently set her hand on his arm.

“You’re right Senator Amidala, I’m sorry.” Chris apologized, then kissed the back of her hand.

“Wow, is there a secret love affair that I don’t know about?” Aimee asked appearing next to their table.

“No, my love burns passionately for Senator Amidala. Many times my love for her causes me trouble, but I am a very passionate person and I just can’t help it.” Chris spoke his role, really getting into character.

“Watch Star Wars much?” Aimee shook her head.

“I sense a disturbance in the force. Stand back Padime.” Chris took out his light saber again hovering close to Shelby.

“Anny, please sit down and be normal. No more Star Wars.” Shelby pushed him towards his chair.

“But my love burns for you Padime.” Chris rebuked trying to resist.

“Well, it’s time to become Christopher again. You are no longer a Jedi in training, you are Christopher Allen Kirk-whatever doer of whatever it is you do.”
Shelby told him.

“Hello, I am Christopher Allen Kirkpatrick III.” Chris saluted, “Singer of songs.”

“You, a singer? That’s almost funny, keep dreaming.” Shelby smirked.

“You don’t know who we are?” Chris asked surprised again.

“I’ve been introduced to you all you know. You’re Chris, Justin, Joey, Aimee and I’m Shelby, what else do you need to know?” Shelby’s brows wrinkled in
thought.

“Ding ding ding. We have a winner, you got it right. We are just a bunch of nobodies.” Chris congratulated her.

“Yeah, then I’ll fit right in.” Shelby chuckled.

“No you wouldn’t.” Justin added glaring at her.

Shelby met his gaze head on almost challenging him. “Why not?”

“Because you’re less than a nobody.”

Shelby felt every word like a slap in the face. She could feel herself start shaking. She got up and stumbled to the counter. She contemplated leaving for a
moment before running out the door.

“Fuck you Golden Boy. I fucking hate you.” Shelby yelled entering her apartment.

She walked over to her makeshift bed and sat down. She grabbed a razor blade and started cutting herself wherever she had access; her arms, her legs, her stomach, everything. She lay still, feeling the blood running down her body. She closed her eyes beginning to feel faint, a knock on her door was the last thing she heard before passing out.

“Shelby?” Aimee yelled from the hallway.

Aimee waited a few seconds before letting herself in.

“Shelby?” Aimee called eyes searching the dark apartment.

Aimee heard a noise in a corner then hurried over there.

“Oh my gosh, Shelby.” Aimee ran to her side, seeing all the blood and called 911.

“Bonner, I won’t be back in today. I’m on my way to the hospital.”

“Okay, we’re really slow now anyway. It’s Shelby isn’t it?” Bonner sighed.

“Yeah, but I have to go now.” Aimee hung up the phone then called Lance and canceled they’re date.

She waited in the ER waiting room, her stomach thick with fear. Lance had wanted to know what had happened but Aimee didn’t feel like it was right to tell him.

“Excuse me miss, are you here for Miss Murphy?” a nurse stopped in front of Aimee a half an hour later.

“Yes, how is she?” Aimee asked worried about her new friend.

“She’s stable right now, but we’d like to hold her overnight.”

“Can I see her?” Aimee wondered.

“Sure, follow me.”

Aimee followed the woman and cautiously entered the room. Shelby lay there with her eyes closed and had bandages on her arms; an IV gave her the
finishing look.

“Shelby?” Aimee stated quietly.

Shelby slowly opened her eyes and looked around.

“Where am I?” she whispered.

“At the hospital.” Aimee smiled gently.

Shelby lifted an arm and looked around the dankly lit room.

“Oh yeah,” Shelby closed her eyes and sighed.

“Are you okay Shelby?” Aimee asked fearing for her friend.

“Yeah, I’m fine, never better.” Shelby plastered a fake smile on her face.

“What happened?”

“What do you mean what happened?”

“What did Justin say to you that made you want to do this to yourself?” Aimee asked.

“You wouldn’t understand.” Shelby sighed looking away.

“What wouldn’t I understand?”

“Nothing, just forget it.”

Shelby turned her head to face the opposite wall, willing herself not to break down again.

“Well I’m going to leave if you’re going to ignore me.” Aimee sighed.

Shelby continued to stare out the window, until after hearing Aimee leave the room. Shelby ripped the IV out and disconnected her heart monitor. Getting dressed Shelby slowly made her way out the door. She snuck down the hal way and made it out the door. It was dark out as she hailed a cab and headed home.

She payed the driver then went upstairs. On her door was a note telling her to take a few days off of work at the insistence of Bonner.

“Eight o’clock on a Thursday night,” Shelby sighed loudly. “I have nothing to do. Wait a second, I’ll call Nancy. Thank goodness I got this cell phone.

“Hello?”

Shelby rolled her eyes at the voice and sighed, “Alice put Nancy on.”

“Well well, if it isn’t Shelby. She’s not here.” Alice answered.

“Where is she?” Shelby wanted to know.

“I don’t know, she got taken away and you know the rules, we aren’t allowed to know. I’m by myself now, they said something about me being an unfit
parent.”

“Alice, you are an unfit parent. No one should have to put up with your shit, let alone live with you as they’re guardian. I don’t know how many bruises you
gave me. But anyway do you have a phone book around?” Shelby asked gritting her teeth together.

“Yeah why?”

“Can you look up Brad’s number for me?”

“Actually I already have it here, he called looking for you.”

Shelby fought Alice for the number for about half an hour before finally hanging up successfully.

“Hello?” a snotty female voice answered.

“Hi, is Brad available?” Shelby asked.

“Who is this?”

“Shelby, may I please talk to Brad?” Shelby rolled her eyes impatiently.

“The bitch from the mall, get a life and don’t call her again.

“What are you doing here Monique?” Brad yelled walking in the door.

“Oh you know you want me back baby.” Monique purred walking over to him.

“I don’t want anything to do with you. Who was that on the phone? I can’t believe you came in here and answered my damn phone.” Brad was growing
more angry by the minute as he stared at his ex-girlfriend.

“It was just a telemarketer or a wrong number or something.” Monique shrugged.

“Get the hell out of my house before I call the cops.” Brad opened the door and waited for her to leave.

Monique walked out the door but not before running a perfectly manicured hand across his chest.

Brad slammed the door behind him and went over to his phone. He dialed *69 and listened to the phone ring.

“Hello?” Shelby answered, a question in her voice.

“Shelby?” Brad asked surprised to hear her voice.

“Brad? How did you get this number?” Shelby wondered excited to hear from her friend.

“I star 6-9ed it. Monique came over when I wasn’t home. I’m sorry if she said anything to offend you. How are you girl? I miss you.” Brad smiled, his anger leaving his body as he talked to Shelby.

“Well, I’m not doin that great, but it’s better now that I can hear a familiar voice.” Shelby smiled imagining his face.

“Yes well; I do what I can. You left without saying bye, that really hurt Shelby.” Brad explained making Shelby feel even more awful.

“I’m sorry Brad. After I snapped at you I figured you weren’t very happy with me so I left. I couldn’t even say goodbye to Nancy and now she’s gone.”
Shelby sighed feeling the tears burning at the back of her throat.

“I wasn’t mad or anything. Just curious about what brought it on, but I would like to have said goodbye. You suck Shelby. So you heard about Nancy then?” Brad sighed.

“Yeah, do you know where she’s at? I’m glad Alice can’t have them any more.”

“She called Jason a few days ago, but she wasn’t allowed to tell them anything. Something about Alice finding her and kidnapping her or something like that.
So how are you? Have you found a job yet?”

“Yeah, I work at a coffee shop. My apartment was a dump it took forever to clean. I painted it black and I’ll be getting furniture and stuff tomorrow. I have a few days off so I can work at home.”

“You just started and you already have days off, what’s up with that?” Brad asked curiously.

“It’s a personal thing.” Shelby replied cautiously.

“Are you okay Shelby?” Brad asked worried.

“Yeah, I guess.” Shelby tried to smile.

“Are you sure hon? You sound hesitant.” Brad questioned knowingly.

Shelby stared at the bandages on her arms and waited several moments, “I’m just having a bad week.” Shelby sighed letting a few tears fall.

“Well, I’d give you a hug, but I’m not there. I have to go now, hang in there babe and things will get better. Give me your number so I can call you.”

Shelby gave him her number and hung up the phone happy they’d gotten to talk to each other.

“So yeah, I’m bored again.” Shelby sighed wondering what to do.

Just then a knock sounded at the door causing her to jump. She walked over to open and found Aimee and Joey standing there.

“That was not funny.” Aimee said smacking her.

“Ouch, what wasn’t funny?” Shelby asked rubbing her arms.

“You left the hospital without saying anything. They wanted to keep you overnight.”

“I hate hospitals.” Shelby shrugged and moved inside the room.

“What happened?” Joey asked cautiously.

“I’m a psycho who should be locked up.” Shelby rolled her eyes and pulled out a cigarette.

“You smoke?” Joey asked surprised and disgusted.

‘Only when I feel stressed.” Shelby sighed taking a drag.

“Well, I insist that you stop.” Joey walked over to her and pulled the cigarette out of her mouth and grabbed the pack.

Shelby just shrugged and watched Joey walk over to her balcony. He broke all the cigarettes and threw them down the into the street.

“Now we just need to get Aims to stop. We’ll just get Lance to work on it. He’s the one who’s going to kiss her hehe.” Joey smirked feeling smug.

“I don’t want to know this.” Shelby scowled.

“Oh Shelby, you know we love you.” Joey slung an arm around her shoulder.

“You guys don’t know me.” Shelby stared at him like he’d lost his mind.

“Such simple technicalities I’m Joey and she’s Aimee, you’re Shelby. What else do you need to know?” Joey mimicked her words from earlier.

“Why are you here? You didn’t even know I was in the hospital. See you dn’t know me at al.” Shelby sighed and tried to relax.

“You could get to know us.” Joey suggested.

“Why would you want to get to know me? Nobody does.” Shelby asked going into her shell.

“Now don’t say that, I don’t want to hear anything like that. As a matter of fact I want you to come have dinner with us tomorrow night. I’ll pick you up tomorrow after work. What time do you get off?” Joey asked curiously.

“I don’t work tomorrow.” Shelby answered beginning to feel uncomfortable.

“Well then why don’t you come with me tomorrow? Then you can see us in action.” Joey suggested a plan forming in his mind.

“I have things to do tomorrow.” Shelby thought about how she needed to get furnishings and visit a bank.

“Like what?” Joey inquired.

“Look around you. I need to buy furniture.” Shelby waved her hand around the scarcely furnished room.

“You’re going to get furniture with that small car?” Joey looked at her like she was a nut.

“I’ll just have it delivered.” Shelby shrugged.

“Nope. You’ll spend the night with Kelly and I, then come tomorrow we’ll go to rehearsal and afterwards we’ll go get you some furniture. Don’t say no
because I know you need help.” Joey told her.

“What rehearsal?” Shelby wondered curiously.

“Just rehearsal, we’re trying to start a band and we rehearse a lot.” Joey fibbed a little not wanting to tell her the truth just yet.

“So Chris really is a singer?” Shelby asked skeptically.

“Yep, he’s our high part. You should hear him, he’s almost a soprano.” Joey giggled causing Shelby to laugh.

“What about Golden Boy?” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Justin? Yeah he’s in it but don’t let him bother you. He’s just going through some shit right now. He’s not usually like this.” Joey tightened his arm around
Shel.

“Cooties.” Shelby remarked scooting away from him.

“Fine then, be that way.” Joey pouted.

“Is he always such a baby?” Shelby asked Aimee.

“Pretty much.” Aimee shrugged.

“I’m scared.” Shelby frowned looking at Joey.

“Well come on. Come over now, let’s get your stuff packed. Hurry it up.” Joey stated impatiently.

Shelby took her time putting her things together and half an hour later they were sitting in Joey’s living room waiting for Kelly to return home.

“You’re too quiet.” Joey whined getting restless.

“I have nothing to say.” Shelby shrugged.

“Tell me about yourself. Have you always lived in Orlando?” Joey questioned trying to get her to open up.

“No, I grew up in North Dakota.”

“You’re from North Dakota?” Joey asked a teasing in his voice.

“Unless you want a beating I suggest you don’t go there. Growing up in North Dakota was not a bunch of stupid Norwegians with lame accents. That movie
was so lame.” Shelby threatened.

“Touchy. How did you get to Orlando?”

“I got sick of the shit and my stupid foster mother. I came to escape life and start over here. Yet everything seems exactly the same.” Shelby answered an anger in her eyes that was almost frightening.

“What was so bad?”

“Try being the blunt of everyone’s joke. Waking up every day knowing you’ll have to face the cruel jokes and comments. Always having you’re looks rubbed into your face every waking moment. Then get home only to be smacked around. No one to talk to and absolutely no friends.” Shelby hadn’t meant to say so much but the haunting memories just came rushing back and she couldn’t stop them.

“And how has that not changed now?”

“Forget I even said anything. I don’t want to even think about it, let alone talk about it.”

Joey was just about to comment when Kelly came strolling in carrying Brianna.

“Joey, come help me.” She said from under a few grocery bags and one crying baby.

Shelby got up and took Brianna from Kelly. She smiled at the precious little girl and to everyone’s amazement she took to Shel immediately and cuddled to her.

“Thank you so much. She’s been fussing ever since I left the store. Who are you by the way?” Kelly asked curiously.

Entranced by the baby, Shelby was grinning ear to ear not really paying attention to Kelly.

“That’s Shelby, she’s staying the night. Love you babe.” Joey kissed his girlfriend and headed toward the kitchen with the groceries.

Hours later Brianna was tucked into bed and the trio sat in the living room talking.

“So Joey tells me you’re from North Dakota, I’m sorry if he offended you in any way.” Kelly smiled all the while smacking Joey.

“He was fine.” Shelby reassured her.

~*~

Justin’s House

“Hey honey,” Lynne called to her son.

“Yeah mom?” Justin appeared in the doorway.

“I just wanted to let you know I signed you guys up for that therapy deal.” Lynn smiled at her son.

“You did what? Mom I can’t even handle my own problems let alone help someone else.”

“Watch your mouth young man. You may be a famous pop star but I can still wash your mouth out with soap.”

Justin looked at his mother sheepishly and grinned a little, “Sorry mom.”

“Forgiven, but you never know. This might be just what you need to help you.”

“You’re right mom, thanks. I’m going to head up to bed. Goodnight mom.”

“Night honey.”

Justin hugged his mother then went upstairs to his room.

He changed into a white wife beater and a pair of pajama pants and lay down on his bed. His mind began to wander and he thought about Shelby.

“Dear God, it’s Justin. I’m not very good at this kind of thing but I need help. I need to get over Britney and ttry to be nicer to Shelby. Do you know Shelby? Since the day I met her I’ve treated her horribly. I pray that you would soften my heart towards her.” Justin opened his eyes and thought about the hurt expression on her face when she’d left the diner earlier.

Justin felt tears burn at the back of his throat when he realized that Britney had affected him. He’d never been mean to people until he first dated her. She thought people like Shelby were beneath her. He closed eyes and fell asleep thinking about blue eyes filled with sadness.
Chapter 8 by Leeann
"Damn, do you always get up this freakin early to go your rehearsal?" a very tired Shelby asked.

"Pretty much." Joey shrugged.

Six Thirty in the morning Shelby sat in the car on the way to Joey's Rehearsal in her pajama's. Joey insisted she could shower and change on location.

"Can I sleep?"

"I don't care if you sleep we won't get there til about 7 with this traffic anyway."

"I meant when we get there."

"No you can't sleep. you have to watch us."

"Excuse me, you want me to watch you for like 8 hrs?" Shelby asked staring at him with her eyes bulging from her head.

"It's not as bad as it sounds. It's hard work granted but unless Wade has a really bad day then we're in trouble."

"Better be good--that's all I gotta say." Shel stated ending the subject.

"Shelby wake up, we're here." Joey nudged her.

Joey laughed as she just grunted and slapped his hand. He got out and opened her door. He pulled on her arm and she slowly got up.

"Can you walk?" Joey questioned.

"Mph." Shelby muttered heading towards the building.

"Ok, maybe I should guid you, you're headed toward a tree sleepyhead." Jeoy chuckled.

Leading her inside the arena Joey found he was about the only one of the guys there.

"Hey Joe. This is something new, you never come in this early. You usually haul in at least ten minutes late." Wade walked over to where they stood.

"God an early start man."

Just then Wade noticed Shelby standing there half asleep." Who's this?"

"This is Shelby. Is there anywhere she can sleep where she wont be in the way?" Joey asked.

Wade just shrugged his shoulders and looked around. By this time Shelby had wandered off bumping into an occasional wall.

"She'll find somethin."Joey chuckled. "So what are we doing today?"

"That's a dumb question. You're going to work sweat and work your asses off. What do you think we're gonna do." Wade pointed out the obvious.

"True that man. I'm going to go change I'm feeling the sweat already. You're a slave drive you know." Joey laughed.

Shelby surveyd her surroundings trying to find a place to crash for a few hours where no one would think to look. The arena was massive, it looked like it could seat thousands of people. She had a feeling that Joey wasn't telling her everything but didn't really mind and wasn't sure if she wanted to know. She spotted a tall speaker on the stage and got an idea.

She shimied up onto a small speaker then used the same manuever to finally tackle the bigger speaker. She sighed with relief and lay down on her side. Sleep came sudden for Shelby as she closed her eyes and felt her body relax.

"Oh my--" JC came into the dressing room then walked out and repeated the process. "It could be my eyes decieving me, but I think Joey is sitting in here and it isn't even 8 o'clock yet."

"Haha funny Chasez." Joey threw something his way.

"Why the sudden need to be on time?" JC questioned sitting down.

"Got an early start." Joe shrugged nonchalantly.

"Yeah, right." JC nodded.

"I am the bomb and you're not." Chris sauntered into the room taunting Justin.

"Oh you wanna go?" Justin pushed him forward.

JC and Joey watched them roll on the ground being the immature adults they were.

"Should we break this up?" JC pondered, more to himself than to Joey.

"I think you should just leave them until it's time to begin and let Wade take care of them. Who knows, they might get sick of it." Lance added stepping past the wrestling duo.

"Lance, I like the way you think." Joey grinned evilly.

"Yes, well, not everyone can have this genius mind." Lance smirked putting a hand to his head.

"No one would want to touch that mop. I feel sorry for Amber, she's the one who has to style that beast." Joey shot back.

"Okay, if anyone has a beastly head it's him, not me." Lance pointed to they're curly haired band mate.

"Sometimes I have to wonder about them two, what do you suppose goes on in those pea brains of theirs?" JC visibally shuddered.

"Who knows JC who knows. It's a mystery we'll probably never solve. Which, in a reality is perfectly find with me." Lance chuckled.

"Come on guys it's time to go." Joey headed out the door leading the trio.

"Hey guys," Wade greeted them on stage.

"What's up man?" JC nodded sitting down awaiting instruction.

"Hold up, you're two members short. Hwere are they?"

"Probably still rolling around on the floor." Joey smirked.

"Ugh, hold up here and I'll go get them."

The three remaining guys sat there with smug grins on all they're faces.

Five minutes later Wade came back literally dragging Justin and Chris.

"Sit," he ordered.

"Thanks a lot guys.' Chris glared at the other three.

"Chris shut it. Now, you're going to do something you absolutly love and maybe it'll learn you not to be late. I want you all including you three." Wade pointed at JC, Lance and Joey "to give me three laps around the arena."

All the guys groaned and reluctantly stood up.

"Why do we have to do it?" Joey grumbled.

"Because Nsync is a team, and you all have to go through the same thing. Next time I suggest you make sure you're team mates are on time." Wade answered.

The guys just groaned again knowing that Wade had a point then took off running to start they're laps around the large arena.

After running the guys got up on stage and started rehearsing. Several hours later they decided to take a much needed break.

"What you don't like to get all sweaty and dirty to rehearse for the tour you have coming less then two weeks?" wade sat down joining the guys.

"I don't mind it, it's just so damn hot." Justin whined fanning himself.

"Hey Joey, what are you looking for?" JC asked Joey who seemed to be puzzled by something.

"She was here, she came with me." Joey muttered.

"Who?" JC wondered curiously.

"Wade, did you see where she went?" Joey asked.

"Nope, I have better things to do than babysit." Wade smirked.

"Who?" JC demanded.

"Why do you want to know?" Joey held his hands up.

"Well hello, whoever you brought with you is obviously mmissing. Maybe I saw them somewhere." JC shrugged then took a long drink of water.

"I'm sure she just found a spot to hybernate." Joey imitated JC's shrug and joined the rest of the guys.

"Sorry Joey, we have to get back to work. We'll stop again for lunch in about 2 hours which will be about 12:30. Back to work guys." Wade clapped his hands and chuckled at the groans his announcement made.

Once the guys got down to work their concentration level skyrocketed and the rush of performing took over and they became as one...they became Nsync.

They had already gone through the whole show once and now they were working on individual trouble spots.

"Lance you need to put more hip movment into that turn. Joey make me believe that you love what you're doing, yes much better." Wade called out as the guys danced to a prerecoreded song, solely working on dance.

"Wade why don't you get you're ass up here and try it." Joey yelled nailing a jump.

"No thanks, I'm more of a behind the scences guy. The Pop video was enough for me." Wade shook his head.

"Oh right, you know you suck and thats why you stick to what you do, we all know it." Chris smirked.

"Chris you're ass is mine. Okay guys time to work on 'Gone' vocals." Wade demanded stopping the music.

"Justin you are the main voice in this song so I want you up in front and guys you'll just sit behind and around him on the steps. Some point during the song Justin will get up and walk around and what not but for the most part you'll be sitting down."

"What happened to the old routine?" Justin asked referring to when they just sat on stools as they sang.

"Sitting on stools is just too, unoriginal, we need to be different--unique." Wade explained making sense.

"The unique people go to fat camp like I did." Chris added.

"Chris what the--you never went to fat camp." Joey smacked the back of his head.

"So, I've always wanted to say that. You know the American Pie fetish with band camp. And the chick from Brit's movie talks about being at fat camp." Chris realized his mistake as soon as he said it and glanced at Justin.

"Sorry man." he apologized.

"Don't worry about it man." Justin shrugged, his eyes troubled. "I don't really want to know about you're fetish with fat cam pthough."

"Ok guys, places, places." Wade demanded clapping his hands.

Justin began singing just as Shelby began to stir. she heard a beautiful voice below her and slowly opened her eyes. She rolled on her stomach and let her ears become atuned to the music. He sang with such raw emotion it made her want to cry for him. She realized this was one of the only songs from the radio that she liked. She inched closer to the edge of the speaker and peered down. She was surprised to find Justin and the beautiful voice were one and the same. Four other guys, Joey included were sitting on steps singing background here and there. Justin turned and she got a view of his face, to her sadness the emotion she felt in the song was really present. This boy had been hurt and been hurt bad.

Shelby watched them until the song was over. Suddenly another guy jumped on stage and started taling.

"Okay guys, you get an hour for lunch, be back here by 1:30."

Shelby glanced at her watch and realized it was already 12:30. She'd been sleeping for over 5 hours. She sat up and streched her back feeling the relief of the cracking it made. She moved to step down onto the lower speaker when she realized it'd been moved. She now found herself stuck on a ten foot speaker. Seeing no other way down Shelby jumped, landing on her stomach temporarily stunned as she lay there trying to focus.

"Ow." She grabbed her head just as Joey and the others ran over.

"Are you okay? What the hell were you thinking jumping from a freakin 10 foot speaker." Joey demanded, lending a hand to help her up.

"Well I--"

"Wait a second, why were you pu there?" Justin asked his voice laced with concern surprising Shelby the most.

"I was sleeping. There was another speaker there but someone moved it." Shelby shrugged slightly loosing her balance.

"Careful." Justin caught her, his arm around her waist.

"I'm fine." she backed away nervously.

"Come on lets go to lunch." Joey slung an arm around her shoulders and started walking.

Shelby was very uncomfortably aware of Justin who walked at her other side.

"You guys sounded pretty good." Shelby commented when they had all sat down with their food.

"Thanks, I'm JC by the way." JC smiled.

"Shelby."

"Nice to meet you."

"You too. So the only song I actually heard was the last, but I thought you all sounded like the song on the radio. I'm sure you'll be discovered in no time." Shelby stated honestly.

"Thanks for believing in us Shelby." Joey smiled sincerely.

"So you're Lance right?" Shelby turned to the guy on her left.

"Guilty." Lance raised his hand.

"That's cool, so you and Aimee are like together?" Shelby wondered.

"Well I don't know, we were supposed to go out last night but something came up." Lance shrugged.

"Yeah, sory about that, I didn't mean to ruin you're plans." Shelby apologized feeling guilty.

"It's all right, are you okay now? I mean what happened?" Lance asked softly.

Shebly glanced at Joey, then at Justin who looked somewhat guilty then back at Lance.

"I had to take the stairs yesterday because my elevator was broke and I fell down a few flights, no biggie." Shelby shrugged lying not wanting them to know the truth.

"That's where you got all them cuts on your arm? They look kind of deep." Lacne took a closer look at her arms.

"Yeah, but I'm fine now." Shelby answered feeling on edge.

"So, Joey tells us you're a Star Wars fan." JC sensed she wanted the subject changed.

"Well I've only seen Episide II, I've seen it three times." Shelby shrugged throwing him a look of gratitude.

"You've seen Episode II 3 times yet you haven't seen the other ones?" JC asked confused.

"I guess I've seen The Empire Strikes back." she added.

"Why three times but not the others?" JC just couldn't get over the fact.

"Two words, Hayden Christensen." Shelby smirked.

"You went three times just for him?" Justin questioned visibally shuddering.

"Why not?" Shelby asked. "We all know that guys want to see Natalie Portman why is it so surprising when we go to see Hayden?" Shelby challenged.

Justin just glared at her not wanting to say anything knowing if he did he'd end up hurting her again.

"What is it with you and black?" JC asked.

"What do you mean?" Shelby got defensive.

"Well, you have black hair, black nail polish, and those are some stylish black pj's. All you need now is a blacked spiked collar."

JC looked at her strangely when she began laughing.

"What?" JC asked.

"Oh nothing, wha'ts with black? It's soothing." Shelby defended.

"How can black be soothing?" he questioned clearly puzzled.

"Look I've alread had this discussion with Joey and I don't really need to go there again." Shelby closed the subject.

By then it was time to be getting back which was okay with everyone because there was now a tension between them and Shelby, excluding Joey. Who she seemed to be truely relaxed around.

When they returned to the arena Shelby headed for the only shower in the dressing room. She locked the door then hurried to hit the shower. Twenty minutes later she emereged from the steamy dressing room wearing a pair of dark green baggy pants coming to her calf and some black socks that were pulled up to the point where her pants ended. She wore her black Chuck Taylors and her shirt was the one she wore for graduation..."You say psycho like its a bad thing." Finishing the outfit was a black spiked collar and several bracelets adorned her wrists.

"Well look who became a part of the living dead," Joey smirked seeing Shelby enter in her black duds.

"I can assure you Joey, I'm not a zombie." Shelby sat down and pulled her knees to her chest, resting her feet on the back of the chair in front of her. She closed her eyes and let the music surround her.

She had a lazy smile on her face s she listened to their somewhat cheesy lyrics.

"Dirty pop...baby you can't stop? What the--who listens to this." Shelby whispered.

She continued to let the music take her on a journey, the sweet sounding voices blending in perfect harmony.

"Ok guys, 15 minute break." a voice broke thru her deep transe-like state of utopia.

"You do, you die." Shelby growled, her eyes still closed.

"What the--how did--"

"Joey, I have a sixth sense now if you know whats good for you, you'll take your hand off my shoelace.

"Yes ma'am." Joey saluted.

"So did you like what you heard?" JC asked from afar.

Shelby just shrugged. "I suppose you guys are good, if you like that kind of music."

"What kind of music do you listen too?" Chris bounced into the seat next to her.

"I don't know. I like Marilyn Manson and some others I guess."

"Oh please, what Manson songs could possibly be worth listening to." Lance shuddered.

"Last day on earth." Shelby answered quickly.

"You like that song? Why?" Joey asked.

"Because it's a good song. Geez whats the deal." Shel defended feeling threatened.

"Limp?" Justin wondered.

"Who?"

"You don't know who Limp Bizkit is? Where have you been?" Justin asked shocked.

"I hate listening to the radio and I never really got into music much." Shelby shrugged.

"Do you know Linkin Park?" Joey asked.

"I think I might know one or two songs they sing."

"What song do you like or do you think you know?" Joey wondered.

"Crawling in my skin, these wounds they will not heal, fear is how I fall..." Shelby told him.

"That song is Crawling." Justin answered.

Joey began to feel himself sweat. "You're dealing with one depressed girl on you're hands...I'm a fucking psycho who should be locked up in a psych ward." He looked at her arms only to find she wore a black long sleeve shirt underneat her t-shirt.

"Don't you get hot wearing all that black?" Joey asked.

"Not really." Shelby answered somewhat nervously.

"You realy do wear a spiked collar." JC observed.

"I'm not complete without it." Shel shrugged.

"Come on guys back to work." Wade shouted.

"What are you doing afterwards?" Justin asked Joey.

"Going to the mall to get a few things."

"Mom dropped me off today, my car is in the shop so do you think I can get a ride with you?" Justin inquired.

"Sure we could use help. You just have to promise to be nice."

"Huh?"

"Hello, I have Shelby with me. I'm taking her shopping for furniture." Joey watched his young friend carefully.

"That's fine." Justin shrugged.

"Okay, we'll leave after we get done here."

Shelby got an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach, overhearing Justin and Joey.

"Just let me get thru this." Shelby sighed.

The guys finished about two hours later and now Shelby was waiting for them to finish getting ready.

"What's homes?" Chris plopped next to her.

"Just waiting for Joey and Justin." Shelby smiled nervously.

"Why are you so quiet?" Chris broke the silence minutes later.

"I don't know you and I don't have anything to asy."

"You know me," Chris pouted.

"No, I don't."

"Justin, she knows me doesn't she." Chris demanded.

"I don't know." Justin shrugged not really knowing what to say.

"See, I don't know you."

"Yes you do. Padime how can you not know me, it is I Anny. I've dreamed of this day we'd meet again."

"You mustn't talk like that Anikin."

"But you at least know me?"

"No Chris, sorry I don't know you. I know who you are, but I don't know you." Shel explained.

"Huh?"

"Are you in there?" Shelby knocked on his head. "I don't know you. I haven't talked to you much. You're practically a stranger. Joey I know because I've talked to him more and I stayed at his ouse last night. Kelly I know, I talked with her last night as well. JC, Lance, and Golden Boy--er Justin I don't know. Get it yet?"

"I suppose." Chris scowled knowing she was right.

"Oh look theres Joey. Now we can go." Shelby stood up at the sight of Joey.

"Are you kids ready to go?" Joey asked.

"Yep." Shelby answered.

"Let's go." Justin replied.

Joey got in while Justin opened the door for Shelby.

"After you." Justin held the door for her.

Shelby looked up at him skeptically before climbing up ahead of him. Justin followed then slammed the door.

"Alrighty then, this should be fun. Where to first?" Joey asked the questioned aimed at Shelby.

"The mall." Shelby and Justin both answered.

They looked at each other then back out the window.

"The mall it is." Joey smiled.

Shelby began to sweat and she was trying to stay away from Justin leaving as much space as possible but not squishing Joey. She hesitantly rolled up her sleeves knowing they'd be able to see some of her scars and recent cuts.

Joey witnessed this and sighed inwardly knowning he was most likely right with his assumptions.

"Where too?" Joey asked when they'd finally reached the mall.

"Pier 1." Shelby answered heading in that direction.

"Pier 1 it is." Joey smiled holding out his arm.

"Why thank you kind sir." Shelby smiled taking his arm. She glanced at Justin who was walking next to her then cautiously slipped her hand beneath his elbow.

Justin couldn't believe she'd actually touched him. He looked down at her timid face and smiled.

"It's not every day I get escorted by two strapping gents such as yourselves."

Joey smiled at her playfulness and glanced at Justin who was studying Shelby.

"Sweet." Shelby jumped when she saw a day bed with black iron back and "arms".

"Its just a bed Shel, unless...Shelby is there something we don't know about?" Joey smirked.

"Haha Joey." Shelby answered checking out the price.

"How much?" Justin asked softly.

$250, 500 with the set of matching dressers. I am so getting it." Shelby answered looking at the matching black dressers.

"What is your obsession with black?" Justin asked curiously.

"Don't even go there. I'm sick of that question." Shel replied softly.

"Right so are you going to get anything else?"

"Yes, that black table and chair set." Shel pointed to the table on display.

"You don't even know how much it is." Joey reminded her.

"The sign says $500." Shelby pointed to a sign barely readable from their distance.

"Right, Shel, That's $1,000 so far. Is that in you're budget?" Joey asked nervously.

"Yeah, last but not least, that black recliner and couch. Sweet, it's on sale for $250." Shelby pointed to a hideous looking set.

"No wonder its on sale. That thing is hideously ugly." Justin wrinkled his nose at it.

"It has class." Shelby retorted studying the furniture.

"Okay, it has class. Can we go pay for everything now?" Joey hurried them along.

"Joseph, is this stuff going to fit?" Shelby asked worried.

"Yeah, the bed comes in a box as does the table and chairs so the only worry are those beasts." Joey explained to her.

Shelby paid for her items and had them arranged to be taken to Joey's truck.

"Now where do y'all want to go?" Shelby inquired.

"Where do you want to go?" Joey asked her.

"Actually I wanted to go to a music store. I heard a song on the radio and I don't have many CDs so I want to get it." Shelby answerd.

"Um...are you sure you want to get it today?" Justin swallowed nervously.

"Yes, come on, theres Sam Goody." Shelby drug the two protesting Popstars into the store and up to the desk.

"Excuse me ma'am I'm looking for a CD with the song compplicated on it. I don't remember the name of the singer because it was so weird."

"Would that be Avril Lavigne?" the woman smiled.

"That sounds about right. Do you have it?" Shelby asked.

The woman looked at Shelby and kinda rolled her eyees putting Shelby on defense. Joey sensed this feeling her tensing muscles.

"Come on sweetie lets find your CD." Justin said in a pathetically fake British acent.

Shelby turned to look at him in question and instead of him answereing he grabbed her arm and pulled her away.

"Excuse me while I ask what the hell was that about?" Shelby whispered to Justin.

"You were close to freaking out and I'd rather you not cause a scene while we're in here. Thats the last thing Joey and I need right now." Justin didn't realize how harsh he sounded until he saw Shelby put up a wall.

"Excuse me? Well I'm sorry for not wanting to be made fun of again. Yes I'm sorry for almost making a scene to protect myslef." Shelby's voice began to get louder as she went on.

"Protect youreslf from what?" Justin asked feeling his anger growing.

"Protect myself from--from what?" Shelby looked at him exasperatingly. She squinted her eyes to slits and poked him in the chest. "From people like you."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean? Oh, I mean wait is it the comments? Maybe its the fact that you can't deal with the truth, that maybe you really are a fat bitch?" Justin sneered.

Something in her snapped and she started shaking. "I hate you, why do you have to be this way? I never did anything to you. From the first time I saw you, you proceeded to make my life hell. You slammed the door in my face and you call me all these names when you don't even now me." Shelby was near hysterics as she screamed her heart out, tears streaming down her face.

She looked around to see everyone staring at her. She hiccupped then shoved past Justin and ran from the store.

"Justin what the hell did you say?" Joey asked pulling him out of Sam Goody and back into the mall.

"I told her the truth." Justin shrugged.

"What the hell do you mean by that? What did you tell her?" Joey demanded.

"I told her the truth, that she's nothing but a fat bitch." Justin closed his eyes and walked away from his friend feeling like a total ass.

"Why did you pretend to be nice, you made it seem like you actually liked her or you were at least making an attempt to be her friend. Why did you do that then just kick her when she was down? That was bad." Joey chased after him.

Justin just kept walking trying to stay ahead of Joey.

Joey sighed and caught up to Justin. He grabbed his shoulder turning his friend around.

About to make another remark, Joey looked into his friends face and he lost his anger. Two silent tears fell down his friends face.

"Justin?" Joey questioned.

"She made me like this," he whispered sinking to the nearest bench.

"Who made you like this J? What are you talking about?" Joey wondered.

"I would never have treated anyone so awful. Mama would be so ashamed. I can't believe she made me like this." Justin sighed and ran his fingers over his hair.

"J man you aren't making much sense." Joey sighed.

"It doesn't really matter now because the damage is already done."

"Shit." Joey whispered. He grabbed his phone and explained their situation to Aimee who was going to check on Shelby.

"Thanks Aimee." Joey hung up the phone and turned to Justin.

"Aimmes going to look after her, but we have to get her stuff dropped off. Aimee is meeting us at Shel's apartment to let us in. Shelby gave her a key in case she ever locked herself out." Joey explained.

~*~

Shelby's Place

Aimee knocked on Shelby's door fifteen minutes later and awited for an answer and when she didn't get any repsonse Aimee let herself in.

"Shelby?" she called cautiously.

Aimee looked around before spotting Shelby's limp form over in her bathroom area.

"Shelby?" she cried rushing over.

Aimee gasped seeing all the blood smeared on everyting--the toilet the bath tub, the floor, everything was covered in Shelby's blood.

"Oh my gosh Shelby." Aimee then noticed the blood on Shelby. Her wrists were cut and producing the most blood while big cuts on her arms and her stomach bled a large amounts as well.

After finally snapping out of it, Aimee called the ambulance and started cleaning the bloody mess knowing Joey was on his wa over. She just prayed they came after the ambulence had left.

"Excuse me miss, you'll have to let us take her now." One of the paramedics told Aimee about fifteen minutes later.

"I'm coming with you." Aimee demanded.

"Okay, but you have to stay out of the way."

Aimee quickly left Joey a note and then left with the ambulence.

She waited for about an hour before the nurse came out with a quick briefing.

"Miss Murphy has lost a lot of blood, but for now we have her stabilized and she is awake."

"Can I see her?" Aimee asked the nurse.

"Sure, but be quick she needs rest."

"Aimee follosed her into Shelby's room and walked over to the bed.

"Hey Shel." Aimee whispered softly.

"Hi Aimee." she responded despondedly.

"Listen girl, we need to talk, now I know we're not the best of friends but I am your friend. As your friend I feel I have to say this. You need to get help Shelby, you could have died." she stressed the last word hoping to make an impact.

"I know." Shelby burst into tears sobbing uncontrolably.

"Come here sweetie." Aimee put her arms around Shelby the best she could and felt the younger woman wrap her arms around her.

They sat there for about ten minutes before Shelby finally started calming down.

"Thanks Aimee." Shel sighed then reached for a tissue.

"So what do you want to do?" Aimee asked.

"Yes, I want he-"

Shelby was interrupted by a woman who just walked in.

"Hello Shelby, my namd is Susie Berg and I'm a counselor. I have a program for you to join that will help you. It's a lot different then traditional therapy and we're still in the testing phase. Let me explain, it's called celebritherapy. Its exactly what it sounds like. you will spend six months with a celebrity peer--meaning someone close to your age. They will help you talk about things and give you the support that you need." Susie went on to explain the rest of it and left Shelby in a daze.

"I think it sounds like a good idea Shel, you should do it."

"I think it seems like an okay idea, what happens now?" Shelby questioned cautiously.

"We assign you and find out their schedule and go from there. I actually have an idea about the who." Susie smiled.

"You'll know by tomorrow because you might have to pack, they're going on a short tour next week, then they come back and will head out for several months." Susie explained.

"Okay do you need a phone number?" Shelby wondered.

"No, I'll be letting you know before you leave the hospital tomorrow. But I whave to go now I will see you ladies tomorrow. Oh yeah, Aimee, Doc says you can camp out here if you want. He thinks it would be for the best. The other bed is yours." With that said Susie left the room.

"Well this is exciting. I'm going to call Lance and get some things from home. Just think a hospita lsleep over how exciting." Aimee smiled then clapped her hands together.

Aimee left and Shelby sat there thinking things over.

"Hey Shelby, where'd Aimee go?" the nurse questioned while checking Shelby's vitals.

"To get some things. She was pretty stoked to have a," she held up qutation marks with her fingers "hospital slumber party."

The nurse just smiled and chuckled softly. "I'll see you later dear."

Betty left Shelby alone with her mind wandering again.

"I'm back." Aimee bounced in the room holding a back pack and a cd player.

"Do I even want to know what you have planned?" Shelby smirked.

"No self respecting sleep over is complete without music." Simee plugged in the device and pushed play.

"Who is this?" shelby asked.

"Pink. Its her new CD, it rocks she isnt afraid to say what shes feeling. Like one of her songs says shes sick and tired of being compared to Britney Spears." Aimee sat on the end of Shelby's bed indianstyle.

"I don't even know who Britney Spears is." Shelby admitted.

"Oh my gosh girl where have you been? Britney Spears is like one of the most popular femal artists of like all time." Aimee stared at her.

"Sorry, I just don't know. I never really listened to the radio. All the songs were too freakin mushy and stupid. There was only one song I really liked and that one was about pain and loosing someone you love. It was called Gone."

"Hold on a second." Aimee switched the CD and watched as Shelby's eyes lit up.

"Was this it by any chance?" Aimee smiled knowingly.

"Yeah, this is the one. Who sings it?"

"Nsync. Heard of them?" Aimee asked knowing she didn't know who the guys were.

"Nope. They have a good song though." Shelby shrugged referring to the current one.

"Well they have more then just that one dear. Any ways enough of that so tell me do you have a boyfriend or anything like that? Let me get to know Shelby."

"I've never had a boyfriend." Shelby sighed.

"Really? Damn you're almost lucky. Boys can be a pain sometime. But Lance is a true sweetheart. So what do you think of the guys?"

"Well, I've only talked to them a few times. Chris is just weird I've never seen a guy as old as him act as immature. Lance seems sweet, JC seems kind of I don't know, stuffy." Aimee burst out luaghing at that comment before Shelby went on, "Joey is really nice. I know hi the best and he's just so sweet and yeah I hate Justin."

"Don't you think hate is a strong word?" Aimee asked cautiously.

"Yes, but in this situation, no."

"Alright, mind if I gush about Lance for a bit? I don't really have anyone to talk to him about. We were supposed to go out last night, but he as really great about it and we just kind of rescheduled." Aimee smiled.

"Sorry for ruining your night Aimee." Shelby sighed feeling guilty.

"Don't worry about it hon. You just get better."

"I'll never be better." Shelby sighed.

"Now don't say that. You'll go with them Sunday or whenever it is and you'll get everything out in the open and everything will fall into place." Aimee tried to reassure her that everything was going to be all right.

Shelby just sat there staring straight ahead. "If I wasn't so fat, then I wouldn't be in this mess."

Just then the phone rang waking her out of her reverie.

Chapter 9 by Leeann

"Thank you for calling Shelby's hospital room, my name is Aimee how may I assist you?" Aimee answered the phone in a business tone.

"Hello, I'm looking for Shelby, isn't this her phone?" a male voice answered.

"This is her hospital phone yes," Aimee agreed.

"This is Brad is Shelby there?" Brad questioned wondering what on earth was going on.

"Brad. Hi Brad." Aimee watched Shelby's expression.

Shelby shook her head and waved her hands away like she didnt want to talk to her.

"Yes, hi. May I please talk to Shelby. I know she's there you may as well tell her to stop waving her hand." Brad pressed.

"Hold on here she is." Aimee handed the phone to Shelby.

Shelby covered up the mouth peice and glared at Aimee. "I told you not to tell him I was here."

"I knew you were there Shelby," Brad's voice sounded from the phone.

"Shut up Brad, you did not." Shelby rolled her eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes Shelby, now whats this about Shelby's hospital room? Are you okay Shelby?" Brad asked clearly concerned with the tone of his voice.

"No I'm not okay Brad, but I'm sure I will be." Shelby swallowed the tears burning in the back of her throat as she thought about everything that had happened.

"What's the matter Shel?" Brad questioned further.

"I know Nancy told you." Shelby answered.

"Yes Shelby, she did. And I should have brought it up to you long time ago. What are you doing cutting yourself Shelby? That is wrong. You need to get help. If I knew it was this bad Shelby, I wouldn't have let you move to Orlando. I'm not there to help you and I hate that. Please tell me you have friends that help you. Why are you having problems Shelby?"

"Brad please calm down, one question at a time." Shelby interrupted him gently.

"I'm sorry Shelby, I just don't understand." Brad sighed.

"Brad, you don't understand what it's like to be me. What it's like to have everyone make fun of you just because of the way you look. That's the reason I moved here to begin with and then I come here and everythings the same. I was pushed over the edge and I wanted to die." Shelby answered feeling tears run down her face.

"Don't say that Shelby. You can't die. You're too young to die. Please tell me you're going to get help." Brad pleaded.

"It's true Brad, I did almost kill myself, but I'm glad I didn't. That would have meant that they would have won. I'm bigger then them, and I don't need them." Shelby sniffed as quietly as she could.

"Are you crying babe? Please don't cry Shelby, it makes it even harder because I'm not there to give you a hug." Brad sighed again wishing he could be there with her.

"I'll be fine Brad, I promise. How is everything there?" Shelby asked changing the subject.

"I'd love to tell you all about it, but I have to get going. Please take care of yourself for me okay?"

"I promise, you do the same Brad. I miss you." Shelby wiped the tears that were falling from her eyes again and felt more falling as she thought about Brad.

"I'm telling you Shelby, please stop crying. Let me talk to Aimee for a minute." Brad told her.

"Why?"

"Just hand her the phone okay? Bye Shelby."

Shelby handed Aimee the phone who was watching Shelby with lots of questions running through her mind.

"Hello?" Aimee took the phone.

"Hello Aimee, can you take care of her for me?" Brad stated getting right to the point.

"Of course. I'm glad that there's another person who's looking out for her wellbeing even if you don't live here."

"I have to go now, but please give Shelby a hug for me."

Aimee hung up the phone and reached over and gave Shelby a big hug.

"What's this for?" Shelby asked patting Aimee akwardly on the back.

"Brad told me to give you a hug." Aimee shrugged sitting back.

"Oh, well, he doesn't need to worry about me. I'll be fine." Shelby shrugged.

"So who is he anyway?" Aimee asked what she'd been wondering since he called.

"My old supervisor from Denny's."

"You're that close to your supervisor?" Aimee looked at her strangely.

"It's a long story actually." Shelby shrugged.

"Well, its not like we don't have time." Aimee suggested.

"Well, I used to work at Denny's and Brad used to hate me. He used to make my life a living nightmare. There was one day he physically hit me when I was at work and I left and he came over to my house and apologized and I don' tknow, we just became friends. It wasn't right away, I'd worked at Denny's for years and he'd disliked me since the beginning. He was having some girlfriend problems and I guess I gave him some advice that could be why he started talkin to me after that I'm not sure. His brother and my sister kind of liked each other so we hung out when they hung out. This was all like within a week and a half time period. It was just before I graduated." Shelby smiled remembering all the good times.

"Wow, so basically you were enemies for a long time and one day he hit you and you started becomin friends?" Aimee asked to make sure she was getting it right.

"Yeah, I know it sounds strange, but that is the story of my life, very strange." Shelby shrugged.

"Does he have a girlfriend now?" Aimee wondered.

"Well he was dating a girl when I left, they were just starting to see each other. The girl that he was dating that I told you about, got pregnant by his best friend. I know what it's like to be dumped on so I felt sorry for him. I'm such a sucker." Shelby chuckled thinking back on the converstation she'd had.

Flashback

r0;I just stopped by to apologize. I realized I had no right to treat you like that. I was just angry at everything and took it out on you. My girlfriend just broke it to me that sher17;s pregnant with my best friendr17;s kid. Please forgive me Shelby.r1; Brad apologized.

Shelby studied his eyes, looking for any hint of mockery, but found nothing but sincerity.
r0;Ir17;m sorry to hear that,r1; she responded finding herself feeling pity

r0;I couldnr17;t believe it. I just wanted to kill him.r1; Brad inhaled deeply then sighed.

End Flashback

"That sucks, whatever happened with her? He didn't get back together with her did he?" Aimee asked, thinking things over in her head.

"No, he never got back together with her, he basically told her where to go." Shelby smiled.

"Do you have feelings for Brad?" Aimee asked watching the look on her face.

Shelby looked at Aimee with a surprsied expression, "No, not at all. Brad is like the brother I never had. I wouldn't want to lose our friendship over a relationship. I don't believe in love, it doesn't exist.

"Why do you say love doesn't exist? It does, it's beautiful and infinite." Aimee asked.

"I don't know what love is. I"ve never had love. In my life the only person I ever loved was taken from me. When I was just a little girl my mom was taken from me and ever since then my life has been a living nightmare."

Shelby left the present and went back to her early childhood--the last christmas her mother was alive to be exact.

Flashback...

"Mommy, I'm so glad it's christmas." Shelby smiled up at her mother.

"Me too sweety, I'm glad I get to spend it with the one person I love more than anything in the world." Mae smiled down at her daughter.

"Who's that mommy?' Shelby asked.

"Why you of course. Mommies little angel." Mae gathered her daughter in her arms and held her tightly.

...End Flashback

"I'm sorry that you've been through so much Shelby. Let me just tell you that I cherish your friendship and I will never do anything to hurt you, I know the guys will be the same. Justin will turn around. I know he will. Right now he's just going through some things. I know that doesnt justify it but I just wanted you to know." Aimee smiled and leaned across the space and gave Shelby a hug.

"Thanks Aimee." Shelby smiled hugging her back.

"Sorry ladies, Shelby's going to be taking her meds which will put her out for the night." the nurse interrupted them as she walked over and put some clear liquid in Shelby's IV and checked her vitals.

"How long do I have?" Shelby asked.

"Since its going directly into your blood stream it'll be only a few minutes."

"She's nice." Aimee commented as she watched her leave.

"Yeah."

"Well I"m going to go over to my bunk before you go passin out on me."

"Goodnight Aimee." Shelby whispered before falling asleep.

"You will find love Shelby, I have a feeling it's going to be sooner then you think."

~*~

THe next morning Shelby was more than ready to get out of the hospital. The doctor had cleared her to leave and she was free to go as soon as she talked to Susie who wasnt to be found.

"I really wanna go." Shelby whined getting impatient.

"I'm here, stop whining Shelby." Susie said coming into the room.

"What do I need to sign so I can leave?" Shelby asked.

"Okay, you can sign this while I explain to you a little more of what's going on." Susie showed her where to sign and took a breath.

"You're going to meet them tomorrow and spend the day getting to kno them and they'll get to know you. You'll be going with them to New York on Monday then on tour when they go. Tomorrow you'll know the name of the band for security purposes we can't reveal that right now. Here's the address and do you have any questions?"

"Can I go with her?" Aimee asked.

"No, sorry, just Shelby." Susie shook her head.

"Can I go now?" Shelby asked looking towards the door for escape.

"Yes, be there at 8am tomorrow morning." Susie reminded her handing her a business card with the address on it.

Shelby and Aimee left the hospital and stopped at the mall to get some CD's. Shelby bought Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson's Live CD, and Avril Lavigne. Aimee tried to talk her out of buying the Manson CD claiming it was nothing but "noise" but Shelby wouldn't hear of it.

When she got home, Shelby put in Linkin Park and cranked up the volume. She stretched her arms over her head and began working on her apartment some more. Hours later she heard a knock on her door.

"Who the heck would be coming to visit me." Shelby whispered going to her stereo to turn down the volume before opening the door.

What she saw when she opeend the door was a surprise.

"Hey love, thought you might need some help putting this stuff together." Joey leaned down and kissed her cheek then passed by carrying a box that she assumed was the frame to the bed she bought.

"Hello Shelby." JC smiled as he passed carrying the other end.

"Good afternoon miss, I'm steve, Joey's brother."

SHelby watched him walk by with one end of her matress then saw who was carrying the other end and felt her stomach drop. Justin walked by with a slight smile and nod as Shelby felt her breath increase.

"Meep meep." a voice came from behind a chair causing her to jump out of the way.

Shelby couldn't believe her eyes. There were so many people there putting her furniture together. She wasn't sure if she was even in the right apartment.

All together there was Joey, Justin, Lance, Chris, JC, and Steve. Shelby was beginning to feel overwhelmed with all the testosterone, when she was saved by Aimee who walked in.

As soon as Shelby saw Aimee she threw her arms around her.

"What's this?" Aimee asked stepping back.

"There are so many people here and I was the only girl and I was starting to get nervous." Shelby replied honestly.

"Well, I'm here now and there were only 6 guys. Lighten up Shelby, it's a party." Aimee smiled then danced over to Lance who was helping put together the dresser.

Shelby was looking over at Justin when she felt something running down her side. She lifted up her shirt slightly and sighed when she saw one of her cuts had opened up and started bleeding. She walked over and grabbed a paper towel and stuck it there. She was surprised to find the red seeping through as quickly as it did. telling herself not to panick she grabbed another couple paper towels and applied them but the same thing happened. The bleeding wasn't slowing down and it seemed to be bleeding a lot.

Justin looked over at Shelby and saw a worried look on her face as she was looking down at something. He could tell there was something wrong as he walked over and placed a hand on the counter behind her.

"Are you alright Shelby?" he asked gently putting an arm on her shoulder.

Shelby jumped and turned to him exposing the blood without meaning to. "Yeah, I'm fine." she replied quickly putting her shirt down.

"Are you bleeding?" Justin questioned looking into her eyes.

"Just a little." Shelby shrugged trying to ignore the trickle she felt roll down her side.

Justin wasn't buying it for a second when he lifted up her shirt looking in her eyes then down at her side. His eyes widened when he saw the blood on the paper towel and dripping down her side.

"That's not bleeding a little Shelby, that's bleeding a lot." Justin whispered leaning closer to her.

Shelby just shrugged then peeled away the paper towels and grabbed some new ones. This gave Justin a chance to see the cut that was bleeding and he felt sick to his stomach knowing he'd caused it. It was deep enough to require stitches but none were present. Shelby applied the new paper towels and sighed as she watched the blood soak up again.

Justin took the paper towel from Shelby and gently applied pressure to the wound and he watched her get tense as he did so. "Relax, Shelby, this'll help." he whispered reassuring her.

Shelby nodded then looked away feeling embarassed and uncomfortable at the same time.

Aimee watched the two of them and wondered what was up. She was getting the feeling she knew who Shelby was going to end up falling in love with. She frowned knowing it would probably get worse before it got better. She looked away when she heard Lance utter a curse.

"You okay babe?" she asked turning her attention to her boy.

"Yeah, just hit my thumb." Lance shrugged sucking his thumb.

"Aren't you a little too old to be sucking your thumb?" she teased playfully.

"Oh hush." he pouted before kissing her.

"So what are you guys doing on Monday?" Aimee asked him.

"Going to New York. You knew that, I told you." Lance reminded her.

"Oh, that's right." Aimee nodded.

'I'm sure it's just a coincidence.' Aimee thought to herself about Shelby going to New York.

"It looks like the bleeding stopped." Justin said pulling the paper towel away carefully.

Shelby looked down and saw how gruesome it really looked. She felt dizzy and began to sway trying to grasp the counter before she passed out. Justin lowered her shirt and gently grabbed her waist to keep her from falling. He guided her over to the couch they had brought in and sat her down.

"Take it easy there soldier." Justin said sitting next to her.

"Sorry, just got a little dizzy." Shelby rest her head back against the back of the couch.

"Well you sit here and I'm gonna go help JC." Justin patted her hand akwardly then went to join JC who was struggling with the bed frame he was working with.

"You remember we have to meet the psycho thats traveling with us tomorrow right?" Justin asked JC grabbing the frame where JC was struggling.

"Yeah, it's not polite to call her a psycho though. She's just struggling through some things remember." JC rolled his eyes at Justins tone.

"Yeah, whatever. I still say we shouldn't do it. I can't even figure my own problems out let alone someone elses." Justin sighed loudly.

"It's not just you Justin, it affects as a group. Stop thinking of yourself for once."

Justin just ignored JC's comment and rolled his eyes not wanting to hear what JC had to say.

Shelby couldn't help but overhear they're conversation and squinted her eyes as she thought about what she was doing tomorrow. She walked over to them and squatted next to JC's other side.

"What are you guys talking about?" Shelby asked JC.

"Tomorrow we meet some psychol that we're going to be counseling over the next few months." Justin answered before JC could get in a word.

"Like I said before she's not a psycho." JC reminded him with an elbow to his waist.

"What do you have to do?" Shelby asked with a sinking feeling.

"Well, we meet her tomorrow morning and we spend the day getting to nkow her and then she'll be with us a lot within the next few months. Why?" JC explained looiking at Shelby.

"No reason, I wa just wondering." Shelby shrugged.

She just watched them for a few minutes then walked back over to the couch and lay down. She listened to the noise all around her and felt herself slipping away into sleep.

When Shelby opened her eyes and looked around she was shocked. Everything was put together and her apartment was complete. Everything including the couch she was sleeping on was exactly where she wanted ti to be. She sprang up when she saw the clock read 7:00am. She got in the shower knowing it would probably take some time to find the place.

Just as Shelby was about to leave she saw a note on her table.

Shelby,

You were sleeping so peacefully that we didn't want to wake you.. Justin even said you looked like an angel, see I told you he would come around. Well anyway I hope you have fun tomorrow. Give me a call before you go on Monday.

See ya later,
Aimee and the boys.

Shelby smiled and set the note back down then turned to walk out the door. She wasn't sure if Susie was going to meet her there so she wanted to be there early so she wouldn't feel quite so out of place even though she knew she would.

To her surprise, Shelby found the place right away with no problems. She found a place to park and stared at the building nervously. She was at Jive Records. That was very scary for Shelby. She took a deep breath and walked into the building. She was greeted by faces of various artists that must have been clients of JIVE. She looked down at the card in her hand, room 514 was where she was supposed to meet them.

Heading to the elevator, Shelby felt her nervousness increase as she got closer to her destination. Thankfully no one was in the elevator as Shelby leaned her head back against the wall watching the floor numbers light up. She had a bad feeling about this but she couldn't quite figure out why.

Shelby gathered her courage and knocked on the door for room 514 and inhealed deeply. She exhaled as the door opened and a smilling face greeted her.

"Hey Shel, glad you remembered please come in." Susie smiled ushering her in.

"Guys she's here pay attention." Johnny snapped his fingers at the boys who were talking and not paying attention.

Shelby turned the corner following Susie and wasn't looking anywhere but down when she sat at the table. She had yet to see who was in front of her.

The guys looked from Susie, to Johnny, and back to Shelby who was oblivious to they're presence.

"Guys, this is Shelby. She's going to be touring with you and you're going to be helping her figure some things out. Shelby this is Nsync." Johnny introduced them to each other.

Shelby looked up and the first person she saw was the one person who put her there...Justin.She gasped as she moved from Justin to Chris to Joey to Lance and finally to JC. She couldn't believe it. Not only were her friends in a popular music group but she was supposed to open up to the one person who made her nervouce and caused her pain.

"Um, hello." Shelby stood up and shook each of they're hands.

She wasn't going to let it get to her. She would suck it u pand be the adult she knew she could be. Joey smiled at her as did the other guys after finally snapping out of their shock.

"I didn't know you guys were Nsync." She said sitting back down.

"Yeah, that's us." JC shrugged and nodded his head meekly.

"You lied to me. Why didn't you just tell me?" Shelby asked feeling let down.

"Wait, you know each other?" Susie asked the group.

"Yeah, we met Shelby a few days ago." Joey nodded.

"Well...that will make things less akward. Is this okay with you Shelby? Do you have any reason you wouldn't want to go with them and let them help you?" Susie asked looking at Shelby.

Shelby looked at Susie then at Justin then at the other guys then back to Justin who was staring at her, then back at Susie. She waited a moment before answering, "No, this is fine."

Shelby was staring at Justin when she said those words almost as a challenge that everything was going to be okay. He just smiled and nodded at her then switched his attention to Susie who was explaining some things.

"Okay, so basically today we're going to be getting to know each other a little better. W'ell be playing some get to know you games as cheesy as it sounds but trust me, they're fun. lTomorrow you guys will be taking Shelby with you to New York. Basically she'll get to know you better and to experience life on the road a bit before your real tour. When on tour she is going to be assisting Bridget with wardrobe. I hear each of you has they're own wardrobe person well Shelby will be Justin's wardrobe person. You two will be working a lot together so you should be sure and get to know each other. This is going to be a massive tour Shelby so get to nkow the boys will, they'll be with you a lot. Any questions from any of you?" Susie laid out the plan as everyone listened on.

"I have a question." Chris said rasiing his hand.

"What's that Chris?" Susie nodded for him to go ahead.

"What are these cheesy games that we have to play? What if I don't wanna play?"

"It's not an option buddy you're going to play. Turst me, it's fun. Any real questions?" Susie asked the group again.

"Where will I stay?" Shelby asked curiously.

"Under normal circumstances you'd be staying with one of the girl crew members, but you're going to be staying with one of the guys. Whichever one has the single room that night. We just have to be careful about it." Johnny answered.

"Okay." SHelby nodded.

"If nobody has any other questions we'll get to our game." Susie waited a few minutes to make sure nobody else had any questions before pulling out a notebook and some pens. "We're going to play something called Game Sysco. I"m going to give you each a peice of paper and I want you to write one question on it that can be answered by all of us then fold it up and put it in the middle."

Susie handed out the peices of paper and they all took a few minutes to write they're questions down. Whene everyone was done Susie handed out another peice of paper and told them to rip it into 8 smaller peices.

"I never did like arts and crafts." Chris whined as he tore his paper in to smaller peices.

"Suck it up Chris." Shelby rolled her eyes.

"No."

"Okay so this is what the game is. I'm going to draw a question from the pile and read it then all of you are going to answer it. You will then hand your answers to Johnny who is going to read them outloud and I'm going to guess who said what. Sound easy enough?" Susie explained.

"Yeah." Joey nodded as everyone agreed.

"Okay, so the first question is...'What cartoon character does the person to the left of you remind you of?' Okay so what you need to do is look at the person next to you on your left and say which cartoon character they remind you of. So Shelby you would look at Justin, Justin at Joey, Joey at JC, JC at Chris, Chris at Lance, Lance at Johnny, Johnny at Shelby because I'm skipped."

They all took a few minutes to study the person next to them and when they all had they're answers done they handed them to Johnny. When everyone was finished Johnny started reading them off.

"Now just read them off and I'll tell you who I think who wrote them." Susie nodded for him to start reading.

"Dexter, from Dexter's Lab." Johnny read the first paper.

Susie studied the group and smiled at Chris, "I'm going to say that JC said that about Chris. Next one please."

"Shaggy from Scooby Doo." Johnny read the next.

"Shelby said that about Justin." Susie answered.

"Betty Boop." Johnny read again.

"Well considering she's the only girl I'm going to say Johnny said that about Shelby."

"Poofoo."

"Okay, Chris, that was unoriginal. I've been around you guys enough to know thats always what you call Lance so I know it was you who said that about him."

"Inspector Gadget."

Susie took several moments with this one when she finally answered, "Justin said this about Joey."

"Casper."

"That was Lance about Johnny."

"What the heck..." Joey looked at her weird.

"Shut up its my answer."

Johnny unfolded the next one and read, "The Little Mermaid."

"What the heck." Susie bust out laughing as did the rest of the group. After several minutes of laughing Susie finally found the air to answer, "Since JC is the only one I haven't said I'm going to say that Joey said that about JC."

"That's all of them." Johnny lifted up his hands then put them back on the table.

"Okay, if I got yours right raise your hand." Susie looked around the room to see who's hands raised and saw that everyone was.

"Wow, you're good." Johnny admired her.

"I want to know why Joey said Little Mermaid about JC." Susie said laughing.

"I couldn't think of any other character that he reminded me of so I just made somethin up." Joey smiled sheepishly and shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, whatever works I guess." Susie chuckled. "Okay, now Johnny you draw and read the question. The answers go to Lance who will read them off and Johnny guesses."

Johnny picked up the next question and looked at it with eyebrows raised, "Okay this is weird but here we go...'How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?' Hmm."

"Okay, the answeres dont have to be numbers, just use whatever comes to your mind." Susie said as everyone began writing they're answers down.

When everyone had they're answers down Lance began to read them.

"Three, you lick three times then bite into it. At least thats what the owl does on the commercial." Lance read the first one.

Johnny studied the group to see if anyone was looking around or if he could tell who the answer belonged to, he saw Chris figeting then smiled. "Chris."

"You don't lick them you suck them." Lance read the next answer.

"Shelby."

"What why do you say Shelby? You don't even know her." Lance looked at Johnny quizzically.

"Shut up and read the next answer." Johnny glared at him.

"2,568 licks."

"JC."

"What's a tootsiepop?"

"That was Susie." Johnny answered.

"1 ya big galoot."

"Hey, no need for name calling. That was Justin."

"This paper is blank." Lance looked at it front and back.

"That was Joey."

"Why eat a tootsie pop when you can just eat a tootsieroll." Lance read the last one.

"That was you." Johnny nodded.

"Okay, if Johnny got them right raise your hand." Susie told everybody.

The only person who raised they're hand this time was Shelby. Everyone laughed when Johnny put his arms across his chest and pouted.

They played the game until all 8 questions were gone which resulted in many hours of laughing and joking. The whole day there wasn't any tension between Shelby and any of the guys--Justin included. After they finished playing the game they went out to eat and called it an early evening so Shelby could go home and pack for the trip to New York she was suddenly sprang upon. Everyone else was pretty much packed except Shelby. They all said they're goodbyes and goodnights and went they're own seperate ways.

Shelby went to bed that night excited for tomorrows trip. They were going to be flying out to New York, her first time on a flight. And for the first time in a long time Shelby fell asleep with a smile on her face.

Chapter 10 by Leeann

Shelby woke up to what sounded like someone pounding on the door. She inhaled deeply and stretched her body slowly, one limb at a time.
When Shelby heard the knocking again she got up and walked to the door. She opened it to see a frantic Joey waiting on the outside.

"Shelby do you realize what time it is" He asked storming into her apartment.

Shelby shut the door behind him then noticed the clock.

"Oh shit." she muttered when she saw that she had overslept by a half an hour.

"Yeah, oh shit. Come on Shelby, we have to go right now. Where's your bag?" Joey glanced around the room looking for Shelby's things.

"Right there. Wait I need to change right quick." Shelby pointed to her bags.

"There's no time Shelby, you'll have to wait." Joey said grabbing her duffel bag.

"But I'm in my pajamas. And I look--"

"Adoreable." Joey cut her off.

Shelby sighed in defeat and slipped on a pair of flip flops and grabbed her back pack.

Shelby grimaced when she saw her reflection in Joey's window. She was wearing pink pajama bottoms with little bears hugging and a pink tank top with the bears only bigger with the words 'Hug Me' written on it. Her short hair for once was flat and not in spikey disaray like normal.

"You look fine, Shelby." Joey reassured her.

"I don't suppose you have a hair clip or anything?" Shelby asked trying to find someway to do her hair.

"Check the glove box, sometimes Kelly leaves things in there." Joey suggested as they changed lanes.

Shelby opened the glove box and to her amazement she found a cute little silver bobby pin with a teddy bear on the end. Smiling she parted her short hair, or what she could of it and put the clip in to hold it in place. That action left her with some bangs and as she looked in the mirror she was surprised at what she saw. For once she looked at herself without any kind of self-hate, and for the first time Shelby found herself looking, well, almost cute.

Shelby's thoughts were interrupted when Joey's phone rang, causing her to jump.

"Hello? Yeah, we're almost there...Yeah...about five minutes. Shelby slept a little long. Yes, I know. Okay, we'll be there." Joey hung up the phone, looked at Shelby, and rolled his eyes.

"That was JC, he said they were all at the airport pacing wondering if we were going to make it. The plane will be taking off soon." Joey looked down at his watch.

"Sorry Joey, I didn't mean to get you in trouble." Shelby sat back in her seat feeling a little guilty for oversleeping.

"It's all right Shelby, just prepare to be chewed out when we get there." Joey nodded pulling into the airport parking lot.

"Great, our terminal is all the way at the other end of the airport." Joey observed as they checked they're flight.

"Guess we'll just have to book it." Shelby shrugged as they checked in they're luggage.

Joey and Shelby took off toward their terminal as fast as they could, making it there just as the flight attendant was shutting the door.

"Wait! We need to be on there." Joey called as they ran up to her and handed her their tickets.

"Your lucky, we're just about ready. Enjoy your flight." the woman smiled and handed they're ticket stubs back to Joey.

Shelby was trying to catch her breath as they boarded the plane. She folllowed Joey as she had never been on a plane before.

"We're in first class." Joey informed her as they walked toward they're seats.

"Thank God you guys are here." JC sighed when he saw them.

Joey plopped down next to Lance leaving Shelby the only other open seat.

Shelby noticed that the only spot left was next to a seat with someones discman on it. Shelby really wanted the window seat so she could see what was happening outside. She looked around and when she saw that no one was looking she put the discman on the isle seat and took the window seat for herself.

"No. Nu-uh, no way. Get up. I'm sitting next to the window." Justin said watching her get comfortable.

"This is your seat?" Shelby looked up at him with big eyes.

"Yes, now please, give it back." Justin waved.

Shelby got up and let him sit back down before sitting in the seat next to him.

"It's okay you know, I won't bite." Justin teased her.

Shelby smiled slightly, but was getting nervous when the seat belt light came on. She buckled hers and clasped her hands tightly. She'd never been on a plane before and to be honest, she was terrifed.

She dug in her bag and pulled out a teddy bear that matched her pajamas, and held it tightly. She could feel the plane starting to move and she held her bear with one arm and with the other, she clung to the arm of her chair for dear life.

"Are you okay sweetie?" Justin asked seeing her death grip.

"I'm terrified. I've never been on a plane before." Shelby whispered honestly, looking at him again with those big eyes.

Justin thought she had never looked more vulnerable then she did right then. The thing that made him catch a breath, that made his heart drop, was the fact that she'd never looked so cute, so lovable as she did right now as she looked up at him.

Shoving those thoughts aside, Justin gently grabbed her hand and entwined her fingers in his, pulling her hand close.

"It'll be okay, Shelby." He whispered trying to comfort her the best he could without making either of them feel akward.

Shelby gathered strength from Justin and closed her eyes. Soon they were in the air and the tension eased out of Shelby.

"You can unbuckle your seatbelt now." Justin told her as he did the same.

Shelby unbuckled and watched as Chris and Lance both got up and walked to another set of seats setup in a square facing each other. Since they were the only ones in first class they had it all to themselves. Shelby watched as JC and Joey got up and joined them.

"Can I go over there?" Shelby asked Justin pointing to where the other guys were seated talking.

"Yeah, let's go. Justin nodded standing up.

Shelby grabbed her bag and walked over and sat down right across from JC and between Justin and Chris. Shelby was still holding her bear feeling a sense of security keeping it with her.

"Hey Shelbbers, stand up." Chris said pulling her arm to stand.

"What?" she asked looking at him.

"Turn around." he demanded looking her up and down.

Shelby eyed him skeptically but obeyed him and turned in a circle, feeling embarassed to have everyone staring at her as they were.

Chris tugged the bear from her grasp and set it where she was sitting and grinned.

"You look adorable." Chris smiled taking her into his arms for a big hug.

"Okay." Shelby replied hugging him back.

"This is the part where you say thank you." Chris reminded her as if she didn't know.

"Come here, my turn." Lance pushed Chris out of the way. "You look really cute." Lance smiled hugging her.

JC was there to meet her next as she was passed off to the right. JC gathered her close and agreed with what they had said. Since he didnt come up with anything new JC was made fun of, everybody saying he was unoriginal and he was just a copycat.

Joey was waiting for his turn when Shelby turned to him and hugged him first. "Are you going to flatter me too?" Shelby asked.

"You are adorable Shelby, just believe them." Joey replied.

Shelby turned to Justin knowing her was next. She nervously played with her hands and bit her bottom lip as she waited for him to give her some kind of hint.

Justin gently put his arms around her waist taking care for the cuts he knew were there. He waited until he felt her wrap her arms around his neck. As he tightened his arms and inhaled her scent she melted into his embrace. He couldn't help but notice how right she felt in his arms. Wait! What was he thinking, he was still in love with Britney, right?

"You are beautiful Shelby." He shocked them all including himself.

Shelby felt her face heat with a blush as she looked into his eyes finding nothing there but truth and something else she couldn't identify. "Thank you," she whispered not breaking eye contact.

Justin pulled her close one more time and whispered for her ears alone. "Forgive me for hurting you Shelby. I'm so sorry."

He heard her sharp breath intake and several moments later he felt her nod against his chest. As he felt this he felt a huge burdeon lifted from his shoulders.

The other guys had been watching this display just as surprised as Justin himself was. What surprised them the most was the raw emotion they saw in Justin's eyes the moment he forgot to hide it. They all had one thing on they're minds...things were going to get interesting around here.

The moment was broken when the captain came over the speaker and announced that they were going to be hitting turbulance so everyone needed to be seated and buckled.

Rather than going back to thier seats, the guys and Shelby all stayed at the square which luckily for them had seat belts.

Shelby found herself back between Chris and Justin while Joey, Lance, and JC were all directly across from them.

When the ride started getting bumpy from the turbulance, Justin subconciously grabbed Shelby's hand and held it as to reassure her everything would be fine.

"HOw long will it take to get there?" Shelby asked.

"It depends." Lance answered.

"Oh." Shelby nodded.

"What do you usually do on flights?" Shelby asked trying to keep her mind off the turbulance.

"Read, listen to music, talk, sleep, whatever." Joey shrugged.

"Sounds kinda boring." Shelby curled her lip up.

"Well what would you do your highness?" Chris asked from her left.

"I don't know." Shelby shrugged. "Maybe play a game."

"What kind of game." Joey asked.

"I don't know." Shelby answered. "We could always play that Game Sysco again."

"No thanks, besides we don't have paper or pens." Justin replied from her right. "We could still play a questions game. Kind of like truth or dare without the dare. We could like ask a question and if you don't answer or don't want to answer you have to do a forfeit like tell an embarassing story that happened to you." Lance suggested.

"Hey that sounds kind of cool." Joey nodded.

So it was decided, they would play this new game. THe only rule they set was if you forfiet the question you either had to tell the story of your first kiss, or an embarassing story. Since it was Lance's idea it was decided he would go first.

"All right. If you dont have an embarassing moment you have to kiss Shelby." Lance added at the last minute.

"No." Shelby shook her head.

"Why not?" Joey asked innocently.

"Easy for you to say when you're not the one whos going to get mauled. Besides we need to stay seated and buckled." Shelby reminded them.

"Yeah whatever." Lance flipped his hand as to ignore the rule.

"Okay, it'll work for Chris and Justin then." Joey said pointing to the two who were sitting right next to her.

"It's not working for anyone." Shelby said getting frustrated.

"What are you getting so riled up about Shelby?" Chris asked from her left.

"Don't you think that a kiss is sacred and shouldn't be shared with just anyone? Especially not in a game, its just degrading." Shelby explained her feelings.

"Why, Shelby, you're a true romantic." JC looked at her surprised.

"Why do I have to be a romantic to feel that kissing should be sacred." Shelby looked at them with a scowl.

"Not everybody feels the same way you do Shelby." Chris shrugged.

"Guys, lets just forget it and get to the game." Joey suggested.

"Good idea. I'll go first as previously decided. JC, why do you like being a part of Nsync?" Lance asked JC.

"You're lame Lance." JC shook his head. "Just answer the question." Lance plodded.

"Well, I like being a part of Nsync because this is my family and what I love to do. I love music, touring, the fans, everything about being here. The only real downfall is the fact that we never get to see our families and we dont have any privacy." JC answered.

"Yeah." Lance nodded in agreement. "You're turn.

"Shelby, why do you like black so much? And I don't want one of the stupid reasons you've been giving us, but I want the real reason." JC asked Shelby.

"I like black so much because it's soothing. My whole life people have made fun of me, but if I wear black I can blend in with the shadows. I can try and be invisible if you will." Shelby explained the best she could.

Nobody said anything for a few moments after that. It saddened them to think that their friend had endured so much in her life.

"Why the glum faces? It's my turn now. Now this might not be the best time to ask this, but I have to know if I'm going to get better. Why do you hate me so much Justin? From the moment you saw me you said cruel things and I'd like an honest explanation as to why. Please." Shelby turned her attention to Justin who had appeared to have turned pale.

"I'ts kind of a long story, but then again it's not; yet the pathetic thing on my part is that I really had no reason. I had recently broken up with Britney. Dumped I should say. It'd been a hard couple weeks and when I saw you at the party I just lashed out. I hadn't been deeling with the break up very well and you wer the first person I lashed out at. To me, you were weak and easy prey. Please don't think I see you as that now, but thats' what I felt back then. After getting to know you better, even when I still was being a prick, I saw what a great person you are. What an honest, sweet, loveing person was under that shell I kept breaking. I meant what I said earlier. I am so incredibly sorry, Shelby. I never meant to hurt you. I never meant to make you want to hurt yourself." at that Justin as emotional as he was feeling started crying.

Shelby and the rest of the guys watched Justin break down and start sobbing.

"Has he grieved at all since they're break up?" Shelby asked out of concern for her friend.

"No, this is the first time he's let it all out." JC swallowed thickly, hating to see his friend so upset.

Shelby just nodded then manuvered herself so she could wrap her arms around Justin.

When Justin felt Shelby's arms surround him, he put his own around her and clung to her for dear life. She was his lifeline and he was hers. They both were healed more from those precious moments then any time before.

While the two of them held each other and cried, Chris moved over to the other seat so he could talk to the guys.

"Guys, they're falling in love." Chris said low enough in case the couple could hear him.

"I don't think they're even close to that yet." Lance disagreed.

"I'm with Lance, he's been a prick up until now and he's still trying to get over Britney. I think they'll get closer, but I don't forsee love anytime soon." Joey answered.

"Chris does have a point. Justin was realizing some things when they were hugging earlier. I think his feelings are going to change quickly, but he will ignore them for a while. He'll keep reminding himself he's still trying to get over Britney and deny his feelings for Shelby. That's just how he is." JC added.

Shelby and Justin remained in each others arms until they landed in New York. They hadn't expected to fall alseep together, but that was how they ended up.

Justin was the first to wake up. He awoke as everyone was getting off the plane. He looked at Shelby who was still in his arms, her head resting in the crook of his arm. "Beautiful." he whispered.

Once again Justin had to push these thoughts away as he gently shook Shelby trying to wake her up.

"Shelby, honey, wake up." he whispered in her ear.

Shelby felt Justin's warm breath on her ear and slowly opened her eyes to find his face merely inches away. She smiled tenderly and watched as he smiled back. "I didn't mean to fall asleep." She whispered without moving to get up.

"Neither did I, but we did. Come on we have to get up." Justin said sitting up, bringing Shelby with him.

Shelby stood up and wobbled before finding her balance.

They walked off the plane and into a crowd of screaming fans. Shelby was a little scared when she saw the fans trying to grab Justin as he walked ahead of her. Thankfully his bodyguard Mike was with him. He had met them before going through the massive crowd.

Shelby was the last person to go through the crowd and all the fans were trying to figure out who she was. They had all seen her walk out with Justin so they knew she was with them.

One girl who was an over obsessed Justin fan and sure he would one day marry her grabbed Shelby's arm and dragged her close.

Shelby was terrified when the fan grabbed her arm. She felt tears coursing down her cheeks when she couldn't get away.

"He's mine." the girl holding her captive screamed ruthlessly.

"Let go of me," Shelby cried out, nearing a panic attack.

Justin heard SHelby cry out and looked back to where she should have been right behind them. He felt his heart drop to his knees when he saw a fan holding her captive.

Without thinking Justin ran back to were Shelby was and tried to pull her away.

"Let go." Justin pleaded with the girl.

"Please," Shelby whispered getting weaker. She could feel and almost smell the blood from the wounds she knew had reopened.

"Get off her." Mike yelled pushing the girl back.

When Shelby was let go, she fell backward and onto the ground. Not wanting to deal with any thing else, Shelby got to her feet and walked as quick as she could--in her condition--into the airport.

Justin ran to catch up to her and make sure she was okay. He put an arm around her shoulder, but she backed away immediatly.

"I'm sorry Shelby," Justin said feeling like he'd done something when she'd pushed him away.

"It's not your fault." Justin said putting his arm out.

"NO, I can't, I'll get blood on you." Shelby responded trying to pick up the pace.

It was then Justin looked down at her and saw for the first time that numerous scabs had opened up and Shelby was loosing a considerable amound of blood. Her deep side wound was opened and Justin saw that where the girl had grabbed Shelby was already starting to bruise--over the cuts that were already there.

"Blood be damned." Justin cried as he put his arm around her shaking form.

Justin took care of their luggage and led them to the van that would take them to the hotel. It wasn't going to be until the hotel where they could stop and see to Shelby's bleeding.

He kept her close to his side the whole time, hoping the pressure would help stop the blood flow.

"How is she?" Joey asked concerned.

"Pretty shaken up." Justin answered looking down at the girl asleep in his arms.

"Poor little thing." Joey shook his head.

"She started bleeding again." Justin whispered.

Joey's eyes widened as he looked at Shelby's sleeping form in Justin's arms.

"Why didn't she take care of it back at the airport?" Joey questioned.

"There was no way to, I asked her but she didn't want to hold everybody up." Justin inhaled deeply them slowly let it out.

"She's one tough cookie." Joey stated thinking back on everything she'd been through.

"That she is." Justin agreed.

A few minutes later they all walked into the hotel and rooms were distributed. Joey with Lance, JC with Chris, and due to what happened it was easily decided that Shelby would stay with Justin as she clung to him and wouldn't seperate herself from him. They only had a short time to settle in before they had to be at a photo shoot and then TRL.

"Shelby, your back to your old self." Chris observed when they met in the lobby before going to the photo shoot.

"What do you mean?" Shelby asked getting slightly defensive.

"Well your hair is spiked and your back to the blacks." Chris pointed out.

"Sorry, I have no more cute and adoreable clothes." Shelby shrugged.

"So how are you feeling Shelby?" Joey asked sitting next to her as they loaded up the van.

"I'm okay," Shelby answered with another shrug.

"You look tired." Joey noted.

Shelby sighed and nodded her head.

"Here, why don't you lay down." Joey guided her head to his lap as she stretched out her legs on the seat next to her.

This was what Justin saw when he stepped into the van. He sat down next to Lance with a strange feeling in the pit of his stomach.

"What's up man?" Lance asked catching Justin's strange expression.

"Nothing." Justin denied more for himself than for Lance.

The photo shoot went really well and to Shelby's surprise, she actually had a lot of fun. Everyone was really nice and treated her as they would have one of the guys.

At TRL Shelby stayed backstage with the guys and watched as Carson Daly was telling them what was going on.

"And who is she?" Carson asked pointing to Shelby.

"We're taking her on tour with us as part of a new therapy program. A person goes with a celebrity and they all help each other out." JC explained.

"Oh, I've heard of that. Mind if we bring her out and introduce her to America, ask her some questions?" Carson asked.

"If she doesn't mind." Justin answered.

"Ask her." Carson nodded.

"Hey, Shelby, come here. Carson wants to ask you something." Justin called.

Shelby walked over and stood next to Justin and waited for Carson to speak.

"I was wondering if you had any problem with going on the show and letting us ask you some questions, introduce you to America." Carson asked.

Shelby's eyes got really big and she looked at Justin, then Joey, then back to Carson.

"You want ME to be on the show?" Shelby repeated to make sure she had heard everything correctly.

"Yeah, if you would like to." Carson nodded.

"All right, I mean its not like every day I get to be on national television." Shelby nodded with a shy smile.

"All right, I'll tell the producers and we'll let you know when to come out." Carson smiled as he walked away.

The show went off without a hitch and as Shelby watched everything, she was getting more and more nervous. Her eyes were wide as they called for Nsync to come out. They talked with Nsync for a few minutes then they're conversation changed course and Shelby knew it was almost time.

"So I hear you brought a special friend with you today." Carson said.

"Yeah, we sure did." Justin smiled looking over at Shelby.

"Who is she?" Carson asked picking up some different vibes from Justin.

"She's a girl who's going to be touring with us. We're going to be helping her work through some problems as she helps us." JC explained.

"Let's meet her, come on out here." Carson motioned for Shelby.

Shelby walked over to stand between Justin and Joey, her two lifelines as all eyes were on her.

"So Shelby, what kind of problems are you having? Why are you with Nysnc?" Carson questioned.

"Um, well, basically after I almost committed suicide, I decided it was time for some help and the lady at the hospital gave me this as an option and I took it. And I'm with Nsync because I was placed with them." Shelby explained feeling breathless and hoped that was the right answer.

"So you didn't have a choice to who you wanted to go with?" Carson questioned.

"No." Shelby shook her head.

"Are there any chances of you getting with any of the guys?" Carson asked daring.

"What do you mean?" Shelby answered with a question of her own confused as to what he meant.

Carson glanced at Justin who was staring at him to what could be considered a glare. "What I meant was, are there any chances of you dating any of these guys."

"Look at me, I'm not really they're type." Shelby answered honestly.

"Well there you have it America, we'll be back after this." Carson led them into commercial and they were informed that everything was finished.

"Thank you guys, it went good. Shelby it was nice meeting you." Carson hugged all the guys and then shook Shelby's hand.

When they were all in the van ready to go back to the hotel, Lance brought up what was on everybody's mind.

"Shelby, why did you put yourself down back there?" Lance questioned.

"What do you mean?" Shelby looked at him.

"When you answered Carson's dating question, you said you weren't our type, why?" Lance explained.

"I don't know, it was the first thing that came to my mind. And it's kind of true. Look at you guys and look at me. We're from completely different worlds. Besides, you could get any girl you wanted, why waist your time on someone like me." Shelby sighed then looked out the window.

"Don't you dare say that Shelby. That's not true at all. Yes, we are from two different worlds, but don't ever imply that you're not good enough." Justin said surprising everybody with the intensity of his words.

"Thank you Justin." Shelby said resting her head on his shoulder, once again drawing comfort from him.

Chapter 11 by Leeann
The rest of the trip to New York went very quickly and smoothly. They hadn't started any of the counseling as they were still getting to know each other better.
Shelby was most comfortalbe with Joey and to her surprise, Justin. He was always making sure she didn't need anything and if she was feeling down, he'd try to make her feel better.

Justin was a mystery to Shelby, one minute he was telling her she was nothing and the next he was one of her best friends. She knew he'd been hurt really bad by his break up, but he never talked about it. He was holding his feelings inside which Shelby knew was never a good thing.

Sunday, June 15, 2002

"I have no idea what to pack." Shelby sighed in frustration as she threw a shirt on her bed and sat down next to it.

"Just pack all your clothes." Aimee suggested.

"I don't have many clothes that I actually wear." Shelby flopped onto her back as she put her hands over her face.

"Well what do you have?" Aimee asked her.

Shelby sat up and thought for a moment before answering, "I have about six outfits that I actually wear."

"That's it? Oh, that won't do. I'm going to take you shopping." Aimee said as she grabbed her phone.

"But--"

Aimee cut her off with a finger up in the air telling her to hold while she dialed a number.

"Hello, can you meet me at the mall? He is? Okay, bring him with. All right, I'll see you there. Okay, bye."

"Who was that?"

"You'll see soon enough, come on let's go."

"I can't afford this Aimee."

"Shelby, relax you need new clothes. Oh, I love this song!" Aimee said turning up the radio.

A few minutes later they were walking into the mall where they first went to Jacob's Well, a popular coffee bar.

"Order what you want." Aimee said after she'd placed her order.

Shelby studied the menu, not having ever had gourmet coffee before, she was clueless.

"Might I make a recommendation." the girl behind the counter asked brightly.

"Sure," Shelby Smiled then read her name tag. "Thank you Leeann."

"I recommend a 20 oz iced peppermint mocha. They are so good, my absolute favorite." Leeann suggested.

"That sounds good." Shelby nodded.

"What did you get?" a male voice asked her from behind.

Shelby turned around to find a strange man towering over her. "Ex..excuse me?"

"What did you get?" he asked again.

"Here you are, one iced peppermint mocha." Leeann smiled as she handed her the drink.

"How much do I owe you?" Shelby questioned.

"Nothing, it's on the house." Leeann waved her off.

Before Shel could take the drink, it was snatched from behind. Shelby whirled around to see who it was. The man from before. Her eyes widened when he took a sip.

"That's pretty good, sweets." he said handing it back to her.

Shelby had no idea what to say so she just stood there staring at him. That's exactly how Aimee found her moments later.

"Hey Shelby, you comin?" She asked then turned toward the man. "There you are, Joey didn't know where you went."

Shelby looked between Aimee and the stranger a few times and wondered how Aimee knew him. Just then he lowered his sunglasses and winked at her.

Seeing who it was, Shelby visably relaxed then lightly smacked him in the stomach. "Very funny."

"You should have seen your face." Justin leaned down and whispered in her ear.

Shelby felt goosebumps on her skin and a flutter in her stomach that only lasted a moment.

"Next time you walk away, at least let someone know." Joey said smacking Justin upside the head.

"But then I wouldn't have had so much fun scaring Velma here." Justin said as he put an arm around her shoulders.

"Velma?" She said looking at him.

"Yeah, you know. Velma. From Scooby Doo."

"Um. Okay."

Shelby ignored the fluttering in her stomach that returned only when he touched her and said hello to Joey.

"So y'all ready?" Aimee asked the group."

"Yep." Joey said linking arms with Shelby on her other side and Aimee on his other side.

Shelby followed Joey's lead and put her arm through Justin's being careful for her drink. She started giggling when she thought of something then started singing. "We're off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of oz. We hear he is a whiz of a wiz if ever a wiz there was. If ever oh ever a wiz there was the wizard of oz is one because, because because because because because because because, because of the wonderful things he does."

After Shelby started, the others joined in. The bodyguards behind them just shook their heads and chuckled.

Shelby took a drink from her mocha and her eyes widened. "Mmm, that's awesome." she looked up at Justin and smileed.

"It's good isn't it." Justin said returning her smile.

Joey nudged Aimee to look over at the younger couple and when Aimee saw them she looked at Joey and nodded.

"They're so into each other." Aimee whispered.

"This is going to be an interesting tour."

"So where we goin?" Shelby asked.

"Well, we will go to your beloved Hot Topic, but I also want to stop and get you some girly clothes. You pull off the 'I'm a bad ass punk chick' well, but there are days you might want to look cute." Aimee answered.

"I don't do cute." Shelby whined.

"Well, we don't have to get much. But you have to at least try some cute outfits." Aimee said as she led Shelby into American Eagle.

Shelby tried to walk out but was stopped by Justin who still had her hand captured under his arm.

"I'm too big for this store." Shelby whispered loudly. "Everyone is giving me dirty looks."

"Shelby, don't start. You'll be fine. What size are you?" Aimee asked looking through a rack.

"I'm an 18." Shelby replied feeling embarassed, wanting to do nothing more than crawl in a hole.

Aimee walked up to the register and smiled at the cashier. "Excuse me, whats the biggest size you carry?" The woman looked at Shelby then back at Aimee and squinted her eyes. "We don't have her size."

"That's not what I asked." Aimee said getting in her face.

"The biggest we have here is size 15." the woman rolled her eyes and sighed loudly.

"Listen, you don't need to be rude about it." Aimee glared at her then walked away.

Shelby flet the comment, but tried to ignore it as she downed almost half of her mocha.

Justin gave her hand a supportive squeeze and Joey gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Next stop was Old Navy where they got the same answer. They tried several other stores where the answer was still no. They all stopped at size 15. By the time they reached their fifth store, Shelby was near tears.

Aimee was sure that Deb would have her size as they walked in. She walked up to the counter and smiled when she saw that it was an assistant manager.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for some clothes for my friend there and I was wondering if you carry size 18."

The clerk smiled at her and then Shelby. She walked over to Shelby and looked her up and down. "We don't have anything for you. Get out of here."

"Excuse me?" Shelby asked.

"You heard me, I don't have your size and you're not welcome here. Get out."

Shelby felt the tears surface as her whole body went numb.

"Where do you come off? She has done nothing to you, why do you have to treat her like that." Justin snapped.

Shelby heard Justin stick up for her through her fog and that pushed her over the edge. She turned into him and started crying silently.

Justin put his arm around Shelby's waist and proceeded to guide her out of the store. He said something to Joey and Aimee then walked with Shelby to a private lounge area.

The minute they were alone Shelby started crying harder and louder. Shelby felt Justin's arms wrap around her and she turned completely into his embrace and hung on for dear life.

"Why does everyone hate me." She whimpered after she'd calmed down some.

"Shelby, my dear, don't let them get to you. People these days are told by the media to be perfect and to hate those who aren't perfect. If they could see the real you they'd see what they were missing. What I see is a beautiful young woman who is caring and has a heart of gold." Justin said as he gently wiped away her tears with her thumbs.

"But it hurts so much." Shelby said tearing up again.

"Shelby, baby, please don't cry." Justin said looking into her eyes.

"I'm sorry." She whispered looking back at him.

"I do have a suggestion for you and pleae don't take this the wrong way." Justin searched her face. Shelby nodded her head and sniffled her nose.

"When I go on tour I have a personal trainer and if you want you can join my work outs." Justin held his breath hoping she wouldn't hit him or be mad for suggesting it.

Shelby felt the butterflies again as she looked into his crystal blue eyes finding nothing there but truth. She smiled and put her hand on his cheek then leaned in to peck his other cheek.

Justin just smiled and tried to ignore the tingling in his cheek from where she'd kissed him.

Shelby was feeling the same thing. Not having ever experienced these feelings before, didn't know what to do.

"Well, lets go meet Aimee and Joey at Hot Topic." Justin said as he got up.

Shelby grabbed the hand that he'd held out to her and got up. She was more than content when he didn't let go until they spotted Joey and Aimee.

"You all right?" Joey asked Shelby.

Shelby nodded her head and stepped into his open arms.

"We're going to do things a little different this time. We're going to pick out your clothes while you wait in the dressing room. After you try things on, come out and we'll decide." Aimee said as she led them into the store.

"But--"

"No, but's" Justin stopped her.

"Joey?" Shelby looked to him for support.

"In you go." he asnwered opening the door to the dressing room.

Shelby sighed in defeat and walked into the dressing room.

The first thing they had SHelby try on was a short purple and black plaid skirt and a long sleeve black shirt that billowed at the wrists.

"Shelby, come out." Aimee asid after she'd been in there a good five minutes.

"No."

"Come on Shel." Joey pleaded.

"No way. This looks bad."

"Velma, please." Justin added.

They heard a small sigh just before the door opened and Shelby shyly stepped out.

"This is way too short. I'm too big for this." Shelby whined.

"You look great Shelby, that is so cute on you." Aimee said as she walked in a circle around her. "What do you guys think?"

"I like it." Joey agreed.

"You look amazing Shelby. You still look all bad, but you also look cute." Justin nodded and smiled at her.

Shelby seemed to be okay with it after Justin's approval while Joey and Aimee both made a mental note of it.

"All right, that means ew can get more skirts." Aimee clapped her hands together and looked around. "Go back in Shelby, we'll bring more."

They did indeed get more skirts. A red and black one similar to the first with a black Sugarcult shirt to go with it. Next they picked a black and yellow pleated skirt with a black tank top with yellow fishnet arms and on the front in neon colors it had a picture and said "Blondie".

They got a black skirt with pink pleats and a pink shirt like the black flowy one. Shelby continued to protest they were too short, but everyone disagreed, but did please her with other choices.

They picked a black knee length skirt that was jagged around the bottom falling in different layers underneat which was red mesh and to go with that they picked out a black shirt with red fishnet sleeves.

Next choice was a black and red dress that stopped just above her knees. Shelby insisted that it made her look fatter, but the others wouldn't hear of it and the dress was kept.

"Guys are we done yet?" Shelby asked getting sick of trying on clothes.

"We haven't even gotten to the pants yet." Aimee looked at her and shook her head. Shelby sighed as her shoulders wilted once again in defeat.

Next up was a pair of black pants with green straps coming off them with metal loops at the ends, to go with that they got a green Relient K t-shirt.

They weren't finished with clothes until they'd gotten three more outfits. Another pair of black pants with purple straps and a harry potter shirt to go with it. A pair of black pants with a Nightmare Before Christmas t-shirt. The last outift they got was a pair of black pants with pink straps and a pink carebears shirt.

They picked out a pair of three inch, knee high boots that had laces in the front and back as well as a zipper on the side. For an added effect they got several different colored shoe laces. They also got a pair of boots similar to the ones Shelby got with Robert and Lois but these went all the way to her knees.

Hightop Converse's were also on the agenda for Shelby's new wardrobe. They picked out a pair of black, red, pink, purple, and green ones.

Accessories were another easy find. They nabbed numerous small rubber bracelets in different colors. They grabbed some other bracelets and a few new chokers. By the time they ewre finished, they'd spent a few good hours and Shelby was famished.

"Guys, please, I'm starving. Please can we be done. I already can't afford this." Shelby said sitting down in the middle of the store.

"Come on Shelby, we're finished. Go ahead and change back into your clothes and when you're done with those bring them out here." Aimee said pushing Shelby into the dressing room.

Shelby took the clothes off then laid them under the door for Aimee to take.

"Thank you Shelby," Aimee said grabbing the clothes.

"You guys ready to check out?" one of the cashiers asked them.

"Yes ma'am." Aimee nodded.

"Here, I'll grab some of that." the cashier said grabbing some of they're pile.

They walked over to the counter where everything was rang up.

"How are you paying for this?" Justin asked Aimee.

"I've got money." Aimee shrugged.

"I'll pay for it." Justin offered.

"So will I, let's go half." Joey said to Justin.

"Wait, what about me?" Aimee asked feeling left out. "You pay for lunch, and we're even." Justin asnwered before signing the receipt.

"Can we get as few bags as possible?" Aimee asked the girl. "Sure thing."

Joey went to take the many bags out to the car before Shelby came back out.

"Where do you wanna eat?" Aimee asked when Shelby came out.

"Sammy's Pizza." Shelby answered. "Let's go." Aimee smiled.

"What about--"

"Don't worry about it." Justin said interrupting her.

Joey caught up to them and they were off to eat.

"Can I help you?" the man behind the counter asked.

"I'll have the spaghetti and garlic bread combo with no meatball or sauce and a slice of cheese pizza." Shelby ordered.

"Damn girl, you are hungry." Joey laughed.

"Is that everything?"

"No, I'll have a slice of pepperoni and a soda." Justin ordered.

The rest of them ordered and as previously decided, Aimee got the bill.

"Guys, what about the clothes." Shelby said as they ate.

"Don't worry about it Shelby, it's been taken care of." Justin said before taking a drink.

"Thank you guys. I will repay you." Shelby smiled shyly.

"You're welcome, now eat up."

The next place they went was Sam Goody. Justin insisted that she have some good music to take with her on tour. There was nothing worse then having nothing to listen to.

They ended up getting her a high tech disc man with headphones similar to the ones they used in the studio. Next thing they found her was a big CD holder that Shelby thought was too big after all she owned about 10 CD's total. Joey told her she would have more by the time they were finished there.

Aimee picked out some pop CD's that she liked while Shelby browsed all the CD's. Aimee picked out all three Nsync CD's, all of Britney's CDs which Justin demanded she put back, and some other ones. Shelby found two Relient K CD's, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Sugarcult--after all she had a t-shirt might as well at least hear what they sound like. She picked out several other ones and then added them to the ones Justin and Joey picked out. They had picked out 25 CD's total then went to pay, Joey and Justin splitting the bill again.

They stayed at the mall for a few more minutes then they headed back so Shelby could pack and move her stuff over to Justin's. JC and Chris were spending the night there as well, so they could all go together in the morning and they didnt trust Shelby to wake up on time.

"You have a nice house." Shelby commented as they drove up.

"Thank you." Justin smiled.

"Justin, is that you? What took you so long. Dinner will be ready in an hour." a female voice sounded as soon as they stepped inside.

Shelby's eyes widened as she took in the sight. It looked very homey and cozy--something that Shelby wasn't used to.

"Oh, hello dear. You must be Shelby. I'm Lynn, Justin's mother." Lynn said as she went to hug Shelby.

Shelby's eyes widened as she stood there not knowing what to do.

"Hello." She replied shyly.

"Well, I'm going to be finishing dinner, you can go in there and join the boys." Lynn smiled and pointed to the living room.

Shelby nodded her head and cautiously walked into the living room. Her eyes grew wide once again as she saw Justin and Chris rolling around on the ground wrestling. She tried to step around them but ended up tripping and falling over them.

JC witnessed her move and started laughing.

"It's not funny." Shelby said rubbing her head where she'd hit it on the coffee table.

"Are you okay?" Justin broke free and came over to sit by her and checked the back of her head where she was rubbing.

"Fine." Shelby nodded.

"Sorry about that." Justin got up then helped her up then went to sit on the couch.

"Padime, my love for you burns stronger every day." Chris said getting on his knees before Shelby who was sitting next to JC.

"Oh, Aniken. Don't talk like that, you musn't." Shelby replied getting into her character.

"But why not? Is it so wrong to love you?"

"Yes, you are a jedi. Jedi's aren't supposed to feel love."

"You're wrong. We can feel love."

"Okay, Chris, enough." Shelby said as Lynn came to the door.

Chris got up and sat down right in Shelby's lap and smiled. "I'd like a pony, and doll and..."

"Chris, I'm not Santa so please get off me." Shelby pushed him off.

"No love." Chris pouted as he went to sit next to Justin.

The rest of the night went really fast and before she knew it, Shelby was in Justin's room trying to sleep as he was sleeping on the couch. Shelby said she'd sleep on the couch but neither Justin or Lynn would hear of it, so here she was. The bed, the room, everything smelled like him. She inhaled the smell and slowly exhaled. She fell asleep with a smile on her face as she thought about her change of feelings for Justin.

Chapter 12 by Leeann
Less then a week into the tour and Shelby was already exhausted. She was in charge of Justin's wardrobe for the shows and making sure he had everything on time. They would wake up really early to move to the next spot where they'd have a full day of publicity then the concert, which would usually result in a late night.
Shelby went everywhere with the boys and they talked with her when they could, but with their schedule that was nearly impossible. They should have started their sessions by now, but still hadn't.

What the boys didn't know was that most members of the crew couldn't stand her and just thought she was faking everything to seek fame. Unfortunatly for her, they never gave her a chance to prove herself otherwise.

The reset of the girls on the wardrobe staff were the worst. They constantly ignored her, making her have to do things her own way. She did everything herself including washing all of Justins costumes where as the other girls just got them sent out to be washed.

The only friends she had were the guys, but they were so busy she kept to herself most of the time. She was constantly surounded by people but had never felt more alone. She finally a point after a full week of chaos.

In the dressing room whoever was first in, could put in a CD and thats what they would listen to. Shelby made sure she was the first person and put on a CD she'd been listening to for days. She turned up the volume until the CD was blasting and started setting up Justin's section.

"Maybe they'll notice this." Shelby muttered as she started singing along.

"What the hell is this shit?" Brandy--one of the girls--yelled then went to turn it off.

"Don't touch that." Shelby stopped her.

Brandy ignored her and pushed stop then put on a CD they normally listened to.

Shelby tried to hold her anger in check as she walked over to the CD player to put her music in. She watched the other girls walk in and cranked up the volume out of spite.

"What are you doing?" Brandy glared at her.

"Putting my music back in." Shelby asnwered as the guys walked in.

They watched Brandy and Shelby face off and wondered what was going on.

Brandy reached out but Shelby stopped her with a slap on the hand.

"Don't touch me." Brandy snapped.

"Don't touch my music. We have an agreement, whoever gets here first, has the first music choice. I was here first and this is what we listen to." Shelby said getting in her face.

"This music is worthless, just like your presence here. Nobody likes you Shelby, we can see right through your little act. You're just here for a free ride and a bit of fame."

Shelby couldn't hear any more.

"You BITCH, you don't know ANYTHING about me." Shelby screamed then lunged at her knocking her to the ground.

Shelby slapped her as much as she could as they rolled around on the floor.

"Get off me!" Brandy yelled.

"Shelby stop it." Justin said, the first one to snap out of their daze.

"You don't know me at all." She yelled hitting Brandy.

Justin grabbed Shelby as the other girls picked Brandy off the floor.

"BITCH!" Brandy screamed.

"Shelby," Justin said trying to hold her back.

"Justin, let me go." Shelby struggled against him.

"No." Justin held her back.

"DAMMIT JUSTIN, I'm not going to hit her!" Justin screamed as she pulled herself from his grip.

Brandy's eyes widened and she stepped back.

"You want to know why I'm here?" Shelby said walking closer. "I'm here," she lifted her shirt over her head keeping her back to the guys, "because snotty bitches like you," she held up her arms making sure her scars were visible, "made me hate myself so much I wanted to DIE," she stressed the last word and held up her wrists making sure they saw her deep scars, "to take the pain away. So PLEASE, tell me again that I'm here to get a free ride off fame."

The room was silent except for the music. Shelby put her shirt back on then turned the CD to a certain song.

"This song is for all of you." Shelby said before walking out, making sure to slam the door behind her.

Is it worth it can you even hear me
Standing with your spotlight on me
Not enough to feed the hungry
I'm tired and I felt it for awhile now
In this sea of lonely
The taste of ink is getting old
It's four o' clock in the fucking morning

Each day gets more and more like the last day
Still I can see it coming
while I'm standing in the river drowning
This could be my chance to break out
This could be my chance to say goodbye
At last it's finally over
Couldn't take this town much longer
Being half dead wasn't what I planned to be
Now I'm ready to be free

So here I am it's in my hands
And I'll savor every moment of this
So here I am alive at last
And I'll savor every moment of this

Justin listened to the lyrics and felt proud of Shelby. This song showed how she felt. She was sick of living on the run, being tortured and not sticking up for herself. She wanted a way out, she wasn't just here for kicks, she was here to heal.

And won't you think I'm pretty
When I'm standing top the bright lit city
And I'll take your hand and pick you up
And keep you there so you can see
As long as you're alive and care
I promise I will take you there
And we'll drink and dance the night away

Justin walked out of the room and found Shelby rightout side the door. He pulled her into his arms and held on tightly. They sat there for a few minutes and listened to the music. Justin feeling the words most of all.

As long as you're alive
Here I am
I promise I will take you there

As long as Justin was alive, at least as long he was around, he would take care of Shelby. He would care for her and no matter what happened with their relationship, whether they just remained friends, or if they were more, he'd always be there for her.

"We better go back in, we need to get ready for the show." Justin said pulling away.

"Justin, what are you guys doing after the show?" Shelby questioned searching his eyes.

"Going back to the hotel, why?"

"I need to talk to you all."

"Is everything okay?"

"I'll be fine." She shrugged.

"But you're not fine now?"

Shelby ignored the question and walked back into the dressing room. Everyone turned to look at her, but she chose to ignore them and continued her routine as if nothing was out of the norm.

The show started without a hitch and while the guys were performing, Shelby dialed a familiar number.

"Hello?"

"Hey Brad."

"Hey babe, its good to hear from you. How is your therapy going?" Brad asked.

"So far it's exhausting. I feel like I never sleep anymore. I can't imagine how the guys put up with it all the time, and they're the ones who actually go out and dance all night."

"Yeah. Hey, listen Shebly, I'm at work right now. Can I call you back sometime?"

"Yeah, I gotta get going too. Quick change after this song. I miss you Brad."

"Miss you too."

Shelby hung up the phone and waited for Justin to run offstage so she could get him changed and be done with it.

The show finally ended and they were headed back to the hotel to shoewr and change. They agreed to meet in Justin and Lance's room in a half an hour giving everyone adequate time to shower.

Shelby knocked on their door twenty minutes later and waited for someone to answer.

Justin answered the door with only a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair was wet indicating he'd just gotten out of the shower.

Shelby's eyes widened when she saw him and she quickly turned around and let out an embarassed sigh.

"I'll come back later."

"No, it's okay, come in." Justin said pulling her into the room.

Shelby felt the fluttering in her stomach as she watched Justin walk back into the bathroom.

"Hey Shelby." Lance smiled.

Shelby blushed when she realized she was caught staring. "Hey Lance."

"You're really cute when you blush." Justin said when he saw her red face.

Shelby just covered her face with her hands and shook her head.

"What's the blush for anyway?" Justin questioned sitting on the bed.

Shelby turned and saw Justin was dressed in a white beater and a pair of flannel pajama bottoms.

"Nothing." Shelby whispered.

"It's a slumber party." Chris said entering the room from the joined door.

JC followed Chris and sat down on Lances bed and got comfy.

"Where's Joey?" he asked Shelby who was rooming with him this week.

Shelby just shrugged her shoulders and stretched out on her stomach on Justin's bed.

"The party can start." Joey said coming into the room.

Joey chose the recliner next to the table and sat down.

"So, what's up Shelby?" JC asked taking the leadership role.

"What do you mean? You're supposed to be my 'councelors'," Shelby held up quote marks then continued. "I've been on tour with you guys for a week now and this is the first time we've actually had five minutes of us being in the same place at the same time with no interruptions. I'm a basket case remember? I need to get over this.

"I'm sorry Shelby, this whole week has been planned for months now even before we signed on to help you. From now til the end of the tour we will have time for you, I promise." JC explained apologetically.

"I understand, I just wanted to get it out i the open. I haven't had anyone to talk to since we started. Everybody has been like Brandy."

"What do you mean?" Justin asked.

"The whole crew hates me."

"How do you figure" Lance questioned.

"Everybody has went out of their way to make me miserable. I've had to figure everything out on my own. They didn't even give me the set list. I had to wait til the first show to know how the songs and costumes went."

"Why didn't you say anything earlier?" Joey wondered.

"I refuse to be a burdon. I'm trying to do things on my own, like I normally do. I'm sorry about earlier, but I couldn't take it any more." Shelby sighed feeling the anger burning through her again as she thought about it.

"Don't be sorry. It's good to see you shout and get angry. Think about every other time somebody has attacked you, at least since we've know n you. You've always ran away from the issue. It's about time you stick up for yourself. You're making improvements already." JC smileed.

"I suppose you're right." Shelby nodded her head slightly.

"When did all this start?" JC inquired.

"I've been messed up since I was a kid. After my mom died, I lived with my stepdad for a while and thats when it really started. He was really abusive and put me down all the time. After that I went to live in Foster care and that was just as bad."

Shelby sat up and leadned back against the headboard as she relived her childhood.

"How old were you when she died?" Chris asked softly.

"Eight."

"So young."

"What was she like?" Justin asked bringing her mind to happy memories rather then the bitter ones.

"She was very soft spoken, I don't think I ever remember her yelling at me. She had the prettiest laugh, I can remember one time she told me that to laugh was to cleanse the soul."

Shelby smiled tenderly and felt tears roll down her cheeks as she thought about her mother.

"You're mother reminded me so much of her." Shelby whispered looking at Justin through her tears.

Justin moved over to put his arms around her and gave her comfort and strength.

"How did she--?" Chris asked the hard question.

"She went to the doctor and found out she had breast cancer. They had her on chemo for a month and the next time they checked the tumor, it had spread through her body. The doctors said that was the fastest he'd ever seen cancer spread. Two months after she was diagnosed, she passed away."

There wasn't one person in the room who didn't have tears in their eyes. Their hearts went out to the slip of a girl, who fate had brought into their presence.

"I just miss her so much." Shelby cried turning her head into Justin's shoulder drawing comfort from him.

One by one the guys circled Shelby and Justin. They all had their arms around each other comforting the girl in the middle.

Shelby looked up through her tears and laughed, "All we need now is make up and lots of junk food and we'd have a real slumber party."

The guys looked around and laughed, she was right. They looked like a bunch of girls sitting around in their huddle crying.

"Somebody needs to move, I need to pee." Shelby sniffled.

"That was what we like to call an over share, Shelby." Joey shook his head.

"Bite me."

Shelby went to the bathroom and when she came out, she was knocked over by Chris and Justin who were wrestling again. She rubbed the back of her head where she'd hit it on the floor and got up.

"You okay hon?" Joey asked.

"Yeah." Shelby nodded still rubbing her head. "They sure do this alot."

"They're worse than kids." JC agreed.

"I can see that. So what time do we need to be up tomorrow?"

"We roll out at 6 as usual."

"How do you guys do this all the time?" Shelby questioned as she stiffled a yawn.

"We sleep whenever we can; on the bus, between interviews, anytime theres a quiet moment. You'll get used to it." JC assured her.

Shelby just nodded and watched Justin and Chris roll around on the floor. She didn't notice Joey getting ready to lunge at JC until it was too late.

Shelby lay on the ground between Justin and Chris looking dazed.

"Ow."

"Are you okay?" Justin asked looking down at her.

Shelby tried to answer, but the wind had been knocked out of her so she could only nod.

"Shelby!" Justin pulled her into a sitting position allowing her to catch her breath faster.

"At least warn me next time." Shelby said to Joey.

"Sorry."

Shelby was getting used to feeling Justin's arms around her and everytime she was in his arms, her heart raced. She felt the butterflies in her stomach everytime he touched her, even if it was just in passing. She was scared of the feelings she was experiencing, she was afraid of letting them show. Because if she did, and someone caught on, then things would be akward and she didn't want that at all. She was afraid Justin would stop being her friend if he found out and that was something she feared most of all.

"Penny for your thoughts." Justin whispered.

Shelby blushed and looked at him, "They're not worth it."

Justin leaned closer and whispered. "They must be something if it made you blush. Tell me Velma."

"A girl has to have some secrets." Shelby shook her head and leaned against him, relaxing in his arms.

Joey nudged Chris to look over at the couple on Justin's bed.

Chris smiled and nodded his head. One thing was obvious, they were falling faster than any of them had thought they would.

"They're cute." Chris whispered.

"I know, I wonder when they're going to discover their feelings for each other." Joey looked at the couple then back at Chris.

"I think they already know, but are denying or hiding them." Lance added.

"Well, one things for sure, they'll have an interesting story to tell their grandkids if it ever gets that far." Joey laughed.

The guys eventually calmed down and everyone decided to watch a movie. Half way through the movie they decided it was really late and they were all really tired and they would go to bed.

"Goodnight everyone." Chris exited the room through the joined door, JC following close behind.

"Anyone wanna wake them up?" Joey pointed to the young couple that were sleeping on Justins bed, wrapped in each others arms.

"I don't want to. I think they need this. Do you mind if I room with you tonight?" Lance asked.

"Sure, thats fine with me. Just grab your stuff and I'll bring Shelby's over here."

Joey brought over Shelby's bag and all her belongings and left them on the other bed with a note. Him and Lance then went back to his room and went to bed.

"Hey Joey, what do you really think about Justin and Shelby?" Lance asked moments after they'd shut off the light.

"I think they're going to get together sooner than anyone thinks. They have chemistry." Joey sighed.

"Is it a good idea for them to get together?" Lance wondered.

"I think it is. I really believe Justin cares about her, and Shelby needs love. I know he won't hurt her, especially after everything they've been through.

"Yeah."

"Well Lance, I'm goin to sleep. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Joe."

Chapter 13 by Leeann
"It's about time you get yours, Shelby." Alice said as she picked up a knife and walked towards Shelby.
"Alice, what are you doing?" Shelby said backing up against the wall."

"Finally repaying you for everything you put me through." Alice said as she came closer.

"What are you talking about? I never put you through anything?" Shelby cried frantically.

"Yes you did. You made my life miserable. You know what, I think I'll make you're little boyfriend here go first. How would you like to watch him die." Alice said as she moved towards Justin who was knocked unconcious.

"NO!." Shelby screamed as Alice thrust the knife at him.

"What is it Shelby? What's the matter?" Justin asked her when she sat straight up, her eyes wide with fear.

Shelby just stared into space, trying to catch her breath. Alice was about to stab Justin.

"Shelby, honey, are you with me?" Justin asked putting his arm around her waist, bringing her attention to him.

The moment Shelby saw Justin, and that he was still alive, she threw herself at him. She started sobbing nearly hysterical as she clung to him.

"What is it?" Justin asked, feeling worried.

"She was going to kill you. She was going to k-kill you and make me watch." Shelby said a few minutes later when she'd calmed down a bit.

"Who was?"

"Alice."

"She's not here, she can't hurt you any more." Justin said holding her close.

Shebly pulled back enough to look into Justin's eyes, searching for something there. "Are you sure?" she whispered.

"Shelby, you're perfectly safe. I'm safe. She's not here, and you're not in danger. It was just a nightmare." Justin reassured her.

Shelby nodded her head but continued to cling to him. She jumped, and started trembling when the phone rang.

"Hello?" Justin answered.

"Sir, this is you're wake up call. It's 5:00am."

"Thank you." Justin hung up the phone and turned his attention back to Shelby, who was still clinging to him.

"That was our wake up call. Come on Shelby, time to get up." Justin said moving away.

Shelby pulled back and dried her face with her shirt. She looked over and saw her suitcase sitting on the other bed.

"You can go ahead and take a shower, I took one last night." Justin offered as she sat there looking lost.

"Thank you." Shelby nodded.

Getting up, Shelby went to her suitcase and dug out everything she'd need for the bathroom and her clothes for the day.

Half an hour later, Shelby emerged from the steam feeling better, and yet a little akward. She was wearing one of the outfits they'd bought for her at Hot Topic. She wasn't used to wearing skirts and was feeling very self-conscious. Her ensemble considered of the black tank-top with long yellow fishnet sleeves with "Blondie" written on the front, and her yellow and black pleated skirt that came a few inches above her knees. She wore a pair black and yellow striped knee high socks and a pair of bright yellow converse to finish the outfit.

Justin had gone down the hall to ask Joey something and when he came back, Shelby was putting on some yellow and black bracelets and when he saw her, his jaw dropped.

She looked amazing. She'd done her makeup with yellow eyeshadow and glitter. There was really no way to describe what she looked like. She looked funky and yet cute at the same time. He felt it in his stomach, and his heart.

"Do I look okay?" Shelby asked self-consciously.

"You look great. I love it." Justin smiled sincerely.

With his comment, Shelby visibaly relaxed. She didn't know what she would have done if Justin didn't like it. Yet she still hadn't seen any of the others.

"Are you hungry? We have a half an hour before we leave." Justin asked.

"Yeah, I could go for somethin." Shelby nodded.

"Alright, after you m'lady." Justin smiled holding the door open for her.

"Thank you kind sir." She curtsied as she walked by.

She waited for Justin to shut the door, then grabbed his elbow, and had an escort to the breakfast room.

The first thing Shelby heard when she walked in the room, were whistles and cat calls. Knowing that they were whistling at her, she looked behind her and all around to see where they were looking.

"Haha, funny." Chris said.

"What?" Shelby did her best to look innocent.

"Innocent my foot." Justin laughed.

"You look very good today Shelby." Joey took in her look.

"Thank you," she blushed.

"Very funkadelic, yet not overboard." JC nodded.

"Any comments to add, Lance? I know you all do everything together." Shelby smirked.

"Yes, I have a comment I'd like to add. You look hot." Lance grinned.

Shelby didn't expect that comment and when she heard it, she ducked behind Justin. "Hide me." she whispered.

"Why should I hide you?" Justin his head to try and look at her.

"Because Lance just said I look hot." She said wrapping her arms around his waist from behind.

"Oh, I see, well maybe you do." Justin said putting his hands on her arms and guided them to the food. "Come on out, Velma. It's time to eat."

Shelby straightened and grabbed a plate. Sticking to a diet she'd started when she got on the tour, she chose a banana, and some kiwi slices that were sitting there. She waited for a bagel to toast as she watched Justin fill his plate.

She raised her eyebrows to her hairline. He was eating enough for all the guys combined.

"Hard to believe he eats all that isn't it." JC laughed from her other side.

"Where does he keep it." Shelby asked looking him up and down.

"I don't know." JC chuckled.

When Shelby's bagel was done toasting she put some strawberry creme cheese on it and sat down next to Lance and Justin. She ate all her food in a short time, then watched Justin pile in his food.

Justin felt he was being watched and he looked over at her. "What?" he asked as he tried to swallow what was in his mouth.

"Oh, nothing." she smirked. They continued to look at each other before Justin took another bite and carried on with his food.

"So where are we going next?" Shelby asked Lance who was done eating as well.

"We're heading to Phoenix next." he answered.

"How long will that take?"

"Well, it'll be about five hours, depending on how traffic is."

"Oh." Shelby nodded not knowing what else to say.

"Ever been to Arizona before?" Lance asked.

"No, my first time out of North Dakota was when I moved to Florida." Shelby answered.

"Well that's cool, Arizona's a pretty nice place. It's really hot, but I like it." Lance smiled.

"Cool. So how's Aimee? I haven't talked to her since we left."

"She's doing good. She's going to be done with the semester next week and when she's done, she's gonna come for a couple days." Lance beamed with excitement.

"Thats awesome. It'll be nice to have her around.

"Are you excited to go back to North Dakota?" Lance questioned.

"What do you mean? I don't plan on going back there." Shelby stared at him.

Justin heard Lance ask her that and after her dream last night, she was going to freak out if she found out they were going to be stopping there for the tour.

"Well actually, we have a show there. In Fargo, but we will be going through Minot. Maybe we can stop there and you can see a friend or two." Lance suggested.

Justin felt Shelby get really tense, so he grabbed her hand and leaned over, "You're safe Shelby, she can't hurt you." he whispered in her ear.

Underneath the table Shelby grabbed Justin's hand, and clung tightly as she scooted closer to him. "I don't really have any friends in Minot. Only Brad." she answered.

"Well, we could stop and see him." Lance smiled.

"He works a lot."

"Where at?"

"Denny's."

"Well, we can all stop for food and visit him at work." Lance suggested.

"We'll see." Justin said signaling Lance to stop talking about it.

Thankfully Lance got the point and dropped the point, especially having noticed Shelby looked pale compared to her complexion before.

"Time to load." Johnny announced a few minutes later.

Shelby and Justin went back to the room and grabbed all their things and went out to the bus.

Chris and Joey were already in the backroom playing video games. Shelby sat on the couch leaned her head back against the cuishon. Oh how she wished she could get used to this constant being on the go. She relished the fact that she could be in one spot for five hours, even if it was just on the bus.

Justin sat down next to Shelby and glanced at her before watching Joey beat Chris in a game of Mortal Kombat.

Shelby felt the lack of sleep catching up with her and felt herself falling. She felt Justin move over, then he led her down so that she was laying on the couch with her head in his lap. He put a blanket over her and kissed her forehead.

"Go ahead and sleep," he whispered with a smile.

Shelby grabbed a handful of his shirt, almost to make sure he wouldn't go anywhere before closing her eyes. She let the masculine smell of Justin flow over her as she felt herself falling asleep.

When Shelby was asleep, Joey turned to Justin and started a conversation that many of them had been wondering about for a while now.

"You're falling for her aren't you?" Joey questioned.

Justin felt the question hit his heart. Was he falling for her? He knew his feelings were changing, but was he really falling for her. When did he stop thinking about Britney and be so consumed with Shelby. No power in the world could stop him from saying what he was about to say. "Yeah, I am."

Everybody was quiet when their younger friend just admit what they all had thought would take a long time. "So what are you going to do about it?" JC asked.

"Nothing." Justin replied quietly. He looked at the girl that was in his lap and couldn't bare hurting her. She'd been through too much pain already and he couldn't and wouldn't add to it.

"Why not?" Joey looked at him surprised.

"Because, I can't bare to hurt her any more." Justin whispered.

"But Justin, what if she's falling for you, and you deny you're feelings. Then she's still going to get hurt. You can't stop love." Joey answered with a warning.

"I know that. I just don't want to hurt her. Don't you see, if something goes wrong and she gets hurt, I won't be able to live with myself. She's had nothing but pain in her life." Justin replied, talking with his heart.

"Justin, you're in love with the girl. You can't just deny that. To deny that could be denying one of the greatest loves you could ever have."

Justin sighed and knew that Joey was right. But could he love her without hurting her? That was something he wasn't ready to find out. He didn't want to be another regret or pain in her life.

"Justin." Shelby muttered.

"Yeah?" he looked down at the girl in his lap.

"Can you sing to me?" Shelby asked.

Justin never felt a more innocent request his heart like that one did. Justin looked up and found himself alone with her. "What do you want me to sing?" Justin questioned lightly touching her cheek.

"Do you know that song 'Hero' by Enrique Iglesias?" Shelby asked looking up at who had become her hero.

Of course Justin knew the song, this wasnt the first time he'd thought about the song since he'd come to be her friend. "Yeah."

"Please sing that one." Shelby requested.

Justin closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening his eyes and looking down at the woman he was falling in love with.

Would you dance,
if I asked you to dance?
Would you run,
and never look back?
Would you cry,
if you saw me crying?
And would you save my soul, tonight?

Would you tremble,
if I touched your lips?
Would you laugh?
Oh please tell me this.
Now would you die,
for the one you love?
Hold me in your arms, tonight.

I can be your hero, baby.
I can kiss away the pain.
I will stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away.

Would you swear,
that you'll always be mine?
Or would you lie?
would you run and hide?
Am I in too deep?
Have I lost my mind?
I don't care...
You're here, tonight.

Shelby smiled at him as he sang to her. Reminding herself she was supposed to be sleeping didn't help. She couldn't get enough of his voice, and the raw passion of the song he was singing. The song he was singing to her. Shelby knew the moment he started singing what her feelings were. Her feelings were feelings of love, she never would have known that she would fall in love with Justin. She knew that there was no going back, that she couldn't stop her feelings. She was complete when he was around, she was stronger with him, he was her hero.

I can be your hero, baby.
I can kiss away the pain.
I will stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away.

Oh, I just wanna to hold you.
I just wanna to hold you.
Oh yeah.
Am I in too deep?
Have I lost my mind?
Well I don't care...
You're here, tonight.

Justin sang the song from his heart. He was singing it as if he really meant it, which he did, but he wasn't ready to let Shelby know his feelings. That is, if he ever did let her know. Thing was, he didn't want to hurt her, but little did he know that Shelby was feeling the exact same thing. To her he was her hero.

I can be your hero, baby.
I can kiss away the pain.
I will stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away.
I can be your hero.
I can kiss away the pain.
And I will stand by you, forever.
You can take my breath away.
You can take my breath away.

I can be your hero.

Shelby looked up at Justin and smiled again. She scooted up and gave him a hug the best she could while she was still laying down.
Justin returned her hug and shifted so he was laying beside her, holding her tightly in his arms. How could she feel so right. How could this slip of a girl have found her way into his heart.

"Thank you for singing to me, Justin." she whispered as she snuggled up to him.

"Anytime, Shelby." Justin said breathing her scent.

"You're my hero." she whispered so softly that he could barely hear her.

Oh but he did. Justin felt the words shock his core, his entire being. He would have said something, but her breath evened out and it was obvious she was sleeping.

"Guys, we have to do something to change his mind." Chris said when they were by themselves.

"Chris, we can't interfere." JC warned.

"Chris is right, Justin will never let his feelings show if he has his mind set on it. You know how stubborn he gets. If he thinks that keeping in his feelings are going to keep her from hurt, he's got another thing a comin. That's only going to hurt her. I know she's falling for him if she hasn't already." Joey sighed thinking about everything that had went on between the two of them.

"Yeah, I'm with them." Lance nodded.

"So we all agree that we need to convince Justin otherwise?" Chris asked.

"I'll only agree if you promise that you won't hurt Shelby. She doesn't need any more pain. I will agree with the young one on that." JC nodded.

"We would never deliberatly hurt Shelby, we love her. This is only helping her." Chris assured him.

So it was decided. The guys would come up with a way to make Justin rethink his "feelings for Shelby are offlimits" notion.

Chapter 14 by Leeann
A few hours later, they arrived in Phoenix and dropped everything at the hotel, before the guys had to go to an interview and a meet and greet at a Best Buy down town.

"Hey Shelby, do you think you could take these passes here, and find some fans in the crowd to give them too?" Johnny said pulling her aside.

Shelby looked down at the passes and smiled, "Yeah, I can do that. Is there any one you want me to give them to in particular?" Shelby asked as she took the five passes from him.

"No, just see that their handed out. You can make them do a trivia, or just give them away. Whatever you want. Thank you very much." Johnny smiled at her then turned and walked off.

Shelby didn't dare keep them in her hands as she knew how precious these passes were to fans so she put all five around her neck.

She felt important after Johnny gave her the task. She looked at the line outside the store and smiled. Today, she would make five dreams come true. Only problem was she had no idea who she was going to give them too.

"Hey Lance, Johnny gave me these passes and said to hand them out to fans, how should I determine who gets them?" Shelby asked Lance who was passing by.

"Just give them to whoever you think should get them. There is no one perfect person to give them too." Lance smiled at her then sat down at the table set up as the fans were soon going to be coming in.

"Thanks Lance." she smiled and headed outside to complete her mission.

Shelby walked down the row of fans tried to figure out who she'd give the fans to. Everyone looked at her weird as she walked down the line and assessed the crowd. Nobody really stood out in her mind, until she saw three girls near the end of the line, they were obviously sisters as they held each others hands looking scared yet excited.

"Hey, how are you ladies." Shelby stopped in front of them and smiled.

"Good." the one on the left answered.

"My names Shelby, what's yours?" she asked them.

"I'm Marina," the middle one answered.

"I'm Katie." the one on the right smiled.

"And I'm Lisa." the third one said shyly.

"Are you guys coming to the show tonight?" Shelby asked them.

"Yes, it'll be our first concert ever." Marina nodded her head enthusiastically.

"Are you guys here by yourself? You look kind of young to be out here by yourselves." Shelby said looking around for a parent.

"Our mother works inside. She told us we could come earlier, but we got were late and now we're here, waiting in line." Lisa answered.

"What is your mothers name?" Shelby asked them.

"Marissa." Katie replied.

"Can you ladies hold on a second, I'll be right back." Shelby asked as an idea formed in her head.

"Sure." they all nodded.

Shelby walked back in the store and found out that Marissa was indeed working that day. She went back outside and found two little boys maybe five or six, with Nsync t-shirts on. She went up to them and their mother and knelt down to their level.

"Hey there guys, are you guys big Nsync fans?" She smiled at them then back up at their mother.

"Yeah, we love Nsync." the taller one smiled at her.

"Are you coming to the show tonight?" she asked them.

"Yeah," the other boy nodded shyly.

"How would you like to come backstage and talk to Nsync a little more?" she asked them then glanced up at their mother who smiled at her.

"Yeah, I want to do that." the older boy nodded enthusiastically.

"Okay, let me talk to your mother." Shelby stood up and put out her hand to shake, "Hello ma'am, my name is Shelby and I have these two backstage passes I'd like to give your boys if thats okay with you."

"Why sure, they would love that so much." she beamed at Shelby and shook her hand.

"What is your name?" Shelby asked.

"Samantha Kia." she answered.

Shelby took note of that and smiled at her, "Okay thank you. When the show is over tonight, come down to the stage and their should be one of the bodyguards on the left side of the stage, just give him these and he'll let you back. I might be there to meet you, just to make sure you get in fine. I'll be leaving your name with them that way they know that you're their mother." Shelby explained.

"Thank you, you are very generous." Samantha smiled and took the passes that Shelby handed her.

"You're welcome, I'll see you tonight." Shelby smiled.

Shelby made her way back to the girls and smiled when she saw them, "Sorry about that ladies. So how old are you?"

"I'm twelve, Lisa is ten, and Katie is eight." Marina answered for all of them.

"Cool, is your mom bringing you to the show?" she asked curiously.

"Yeah, she's going to drop us off." Marina nodded.

"How would you like to come backstage after the show is over?" Shelby asked.

"Gosh, are you serious?" Marina stared at her.

"Yeah, I have three passes here and I'd love to give them to you guys." Shelby smiled and held out the passes around her neck.

"We'd love too, but we'd have to ask mom." Lisa answered.

"Well come on, let's go ask her." Shelby said grabbing two of their hands and nodded to the other to come.

Shelby led the three girls past the long line of people and back into the store. She passed security easily after explaining what she was doing. They smiled at her and let her through.

"Why don't you go ask her, while I go talk to Johnny over there okay?" Shelby suggested when she spotted Johnny.

"Okay," Marina nodded then led her sisters over to the counter where their mother was.

"Hey Johnny, can I talk to you a minute?" Shelby asked him.

"Sure, what's up?" he asked giving her his attention.

"See those three girls over there?" She nodded to the girls talking to their mother.

"Yeah," Johnny nodded.

"Well, I was wondering if I could bring them with me today. They range in age from twelve to eight and their mother is working all day. Their coming to the show tonight and if its okay with their mother, I'm going to give them passes. Would it be all right if they came with me?" Shelby questioned.

"Sure, this isn't something we usually do, but their girls, they won't be any trouble." Johnny nodded.

"Really?" Shelby perked up excited, she was sure he'd say no.

"Of course sweetie, it's a very generous thing to do." Johnny smiled.

"Thanks Johnny," Shelby hugged him on impulse and walked over to the girls.

"Hey Shelby, she said we could go." Marina looked at her excited.

"That's great." Shelby smiled at the girl, she turned her attention to Marissa and put out her hand, "Hello ma'am my name is Shelby and I'm on tour with Nsync. I met your girls here outside and I have a question to ask you. Would it be all right with you if they come with me for the day? After this we're going to get a bite to eat, then back to the hotel to grab some things and then we'd be going to the arena and we'd be there the rest of the night." Shelby expalined.

Marissa took a moment to soak it in and then answered, "So you want my girls to come with you and do what exactly?"

"Just hang out with me and the guys. Theres no other reason than I want to do this. I haven't been on tour long and I'm not a weird psycho or anything like that, I just want to treat the girls to a little fun." Shelby smiled.

"As long as you'll be with them the whole time, it's fine with me. They were really bummed I had to work today anyway." Marissa returned her smile.

"Thank you ma'am. May I get your phone number?" Shelby asked her.

They exchanged information and decided on a time to meet after the show so Marissa could come pick them up and when that was finished, Shelby decided to take them over to meet the guys. There was about ten minutes before the doors opened.

Shelby stepped in front of the table with her posse and smiled at the guys. "Hey guys, these ladies here are going to follow me around today and I thought I'd come over and introduce them to you." She smiled at the girls who were nervous. "This is Marina, Katie, and Lisa. They'll be following us around the rest of the day."

"Hey girls, how are you." Justin smiled shaking their hands. He glanced at Shelby who was really excited and his heart sped up, she looked so beautiful when she was excited.

"Good." Marina replied shyly.

The other guys greeted them and they were well liked, they sat aside and watched the meet and greet from behind the ropes.

Shelby was amazed at how many fans Nsync really did have. It never failed to surprise her. She had yet to actually see one of their shows, but she had heard their fans screaming before they took the stage and Shelby could only imagine how many were there.

One girl stepped up and looked at Justin and smiled, "Hey Justin."

"Hey there," he smiled.

"I was wondering if you were seeing anyone since your breakup with Britney." she asked.

Justin involuntarily glanced at Shelby who was watching him, listening for his answer. "No, I've been single since then." he answered.

"Thank you." she smiled and went down to the next person.

Justin felt the weight of that question, oh how he wished he wasn't single. There was one girl he could think of that could fill the emptiness left behind by Britney. That one girl that he'd put off limits.

"Does she know how you feel?" a guy asked him snapping out of his daze.

"I'm sorry?" Justin looked at him and wondered who he was.

"Well, you were spacing out and I was just wondering if she knew how you felt about her." he smiled.

"No, she doesn't." Justin sighed.

"Well, good luck with that." he nodded.

Justin wondered what that was all about as he continued to sign what was placed in font of him and greeted the fans, but his heart wasn't in it. His heart and his mind were on the girl sitting over to the side.

"I really like your outfit." Marina commented.

"Thank you, I wasn't sure I liked it." Shelby smiled at the girl and looked down at her outfit.

"I wish mom would let me wear something like that." Marina sighed.

"Well, it is comfortable. I was worried that I'd look gross in it because of my weight, but everybody's reassured me I look fine." Shelby answered.

"You're a knockout." Justin said as he came over and heard their conversation.

Shelby blushed and looked up at him, "Thanks."

"You're welcome." he smiled back at her.

"Are you guys together?" Marina asked innocently.

Shelby and Justin were both taken aback by the question. They'd both thought about it before, but neither of them had been put on the spot with that question before, especially when the other was around.

"No, we're good friends." Shelby answered, her heart pounding in her ears.

"You'd make a really cute couple." Lisa added.

"Thank you." Justin smiled warmly.

Oh if only they could. Once Justin made up his mind, there was no turning back.

"I came over here to see where you ladies would like to eat. We can't make up our minds, and we'd like to get your opinion. Chris doesn't care, Joey and JC want to go to the Hard Rock, Lance wants Chinese, and I said I'd go with whatever we got. So do you guys have an opinion?" Justin asked.

"I love the Hard Rock." Marina answered.

"They have good food." Lisa nodded.

"I've never been there before." Shelby added.

"Okay, you have to go there. I'll go tell the guys we're going to Hard Rock." Justin winked at her then got up and relayed the news.

The guys agreed to it and Lance walked over to Shelby and held out his hand. "May I please escort you to lunch m'lady."

"Why sure, kind sir." Shelby said placing her hand in his.

JC, Joey, and Chris all did the same thing with the Marina, Katie, and Lisa leaving Justin by himself.

"What's with this? I got no one." Justin sighed dramatically.

Thing was, he was jealous of Lance, every time Shelby laughed at what he said, Justin got even more jealous. What was he jealous of, she wasn't his, she could laugh and be with whoever she wanted.

"A little jealous?" JC asked him discreetly.

Justin just glared at JC and ignored him.

The rest of the day up til the concert went pretty uneventful. The guys decided to let Shelby off for the night so she could watch the concert with the girls, they had no idea that this was the first time she'd actually gotten a chance to see them.

"I can't believe I'm actually watching a show." she said while they warmed up before going on.

"You've seen us before." Lance replied.

"The only other time I saw you was the day you were in practice and I came with Joey." Shelby shook her head.

"Are you serious? You've been on tour with us for a week and you haven't seen a show yet?" Chris stopped what he was doing and looked at her.

"No, I told you. I've been busy." Shelby shrugged self-consciously.

"It's okay Shelby, we haven't seen them either." Marina added trying to make her feel better.

"Thank you Marina." she smiled at the younger girl.

"I'd like to continue this conversation, but you guys better go get your seats." Justin interrupted.

"Good luck." Shelby said hugging him. "Thank you, now go." he pointed to the exit.

Shelby and her posse went out to the front row and sat down in their seats in the middle. They were given glares as they sat down in the 4 reserved seats.

"Are you excited?" Marina asked.

"Very, are you guys?" Shelby asked the three of them.

"Yeah, this is exciting." Marina smiled.

"When will they be coming out?" Katie asked.

"Their opening acts come out first." Shelby told her.

"Oh." Katie answered.

As if on cue, the lights went out and the opening act came out and started playing. To Shelby, they seemed to play forever as she was so anxious for Nysnc to come out. When the openers were done, it was completely dark for about five minutes when the lights on stage started going while and music started playing in the background. The audience went crazy and the four of them stood up and got just as excited.

The intro to Pop began to play and Shelby watched for them and she smiled when she saw them for the first time. They were phenominal, so energetic. They ran around the stage like they had all the energy in the world. Shelby was amazed at how beautiful they all sounded and blended together.

She nearly started crying when Justin sang Gone with such emotion. It was one of her favorite songs but to see Justin up their with the pained expression on his face, and heartbreak in his voice, she could barely handle it.

One song she found really fun was 'Up Against a Wall' because in that song all the guys jumped up on a velcro platform and hung on the wall for a while. The song itself was a little provactive, but Shelby was having fun.

"We'd like to take this part of the show to thank each and everyone of you for sticking with us all these years, this song is dedicated to all of you." Justin said as they all toweled off and sat around on the stage, Justin as you'd have it was right in front of Shelby. He looked at her while he waited for his cue.

I don't know how
I don't know why
But girl it seems
you've touched my life
You're in my dreams
You're in my heart
I'm not myself
When we're apart

Shelby watched JC while he sang, but her gaze kept going back to Justin, he looked so perfect up there. Her eyes were constantly drawn to him. She couldn't look away when he looked at her and started singing his part.

Something strange has come over me
A raging wind across my seas
And girl you know that your eyes are to blame
What am I supposed to do
If I can't get over you
And come to find that you don't feel the same

'Cause I'm falling, falling
Girl, I'm falling for you
And I pray you're falling too
I've been falling, falling
Ever since the moment I laid eyes on you
(Girl I'm falling, falling, falling
When I laid eyes on you
Girl I'm falling, falling, falling. Yeah...)

If she had never realized that she was in love with Justin, she knew that very moment. She felt his words and stored them in her heart. It was almost as if he were singing them to her. It made her heart soar for the few minutes during the song.

I lose my step
I lose my ground
I lose myself
When you're around
I'm holding on
For my life
To keep from drowning in your eyes
Girl, what have you done to me
To make me fall so desperately
To think that I don't even know your name
(no, no)
How am I supposed to live(supposed to live)
If I can't get over this(get over this)
And you decide you don't feel the same

'Cause I'm falling, falling
Girl, I'm falling for you
And I pray you're falling too
I've been falling, falling

(Falling)
Will you stay or will you go
(Heaven)
Heaven knows what my future holds
(Questions)
Questions linger on my mind
(Day break)
From day break to dark of night
(I'm falling)
I don't know what's come over me

Can't you see that I'm falling, falling
Girl, I'm falling for you
And I pray you're falling too (yeah)
Falling, falling
Ever since the moment I laid eyes on you
ohhhh
I'm falling

All of the guys saw what happened between Shelby and Justin and knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Shelby felt more than just friendship for Justin. They had to hurry with their plan before somebody really did get hurt.

The rest of the concert went by really fast and when it was finished, Shelby and the girls went backstage to meet Marissa and to chill with the guys for a few minutes.

"Did you enjoy yourself?" Chris asked when he saw them.

"That was awesome. You stink by the way." Shelby laughed as she took a step back.

"Well, you do what I do for as long as I do and we'll see if you don't sweat." Chris said sticking his tongue out at her and moved a step closer.

Shelby took another step back and felt herself bump into something, or a someone, behind her. She knew who it was without even turning around as his arms wrapped around her from behind.

"Did you have fun?" he whispered in her ear.

Shelby nearly fainted when his breath fanned her neck and she nodded.

"He's just as sweaty," Chris pointed out.

"Now that you mention it, you're right." Shelby giggled as she tried to step away.

Justin laughed with a sinister undertone and tightened his arms around her.

"Let go." Shelby said trying to pull away.

Justin just held on tighter and wiped sweaty face and head on her neck.

"Justin, stop." she groaned trying desperately to get away from his nastyness.

"Okay okay." Justin said relinquishing his hold on her.

Shelby stepped away and looked at Justin and suddenly she didn't mind him being sweaty. He looked very masculine and sexy. She was spacing out when he grabbed her and hugged her tightly.

"I thought we were done." She said unable to keep from hugging him back, sweat or no sweat.

"I just thought you could use a hug." Justin grinned.

"Thanks." Shelby smirked.

"Hey Shelby, we're goin to a club tonight, do you want to come?" Lance asked.

"Sure." She smiled feeling energetic.

"Alright, sounds good." Lance smiled brightly.

Phase 1 of operation "change Justin's mind" was begining quite nicely.

"I'll come by your room," Lance added.

"Okay," Shelby nodded.

They made their way back to the hotel and everybody went to their rooms to shower and change before going out.

Chapter 15 by Leeann
Shelby chose not to shower, but she did change her outfit and her makeup. This time she put on her black skirt with hot pink pleats and a modest hot pink tank top. She chose to wear the knee-high boots with 3 inch heels, something she was nervous about doing, as she'd never really wore high heels before. She was excited at the same time, excited to see what the guys, Justin especially, would think. She did her make up similiar to earlier that day, only this time she had bright pink all over, including her lips. To enhance the look, she did something she rarely did, she put in contacts.
Just as she was finished, a knock sounded at the door. She answered it and there stood Lance.

"Damn girl, you look hot." Lance said taking in her outfit.

"Thank you," Shelby blushed.

"Are you ready?" Lance asked.

Shelby grabbed her bright pink purse and shut the door behind her. "I'm ready." she nodded.

Lance offered her his arm and she took it and together they walked down to the lobby, where everyone but Justin waited.

"Shelby, you look awesome." Chris said when he saw her with Lance.

"Thank you." she smiled shyly.

"Yeah, don't go with Lance, go with me." JC said trying to steal her away.

"Thanks, but he asked me first." Shelby laughed.

"So there," Lance said sticking his tongue out at JC.

Joey knew that when Justin saw Shelby he was going to flip. Shelby looked better right now then any other time. It wasn't her outfit, or her make up that made her look so great, it as the fact that she looked happy, truely happy.

The others loaded into the van and waited for Justin to finish, Shelby was a little nervous as she had never been to a club before, but the other assured her it would fine.

"It's about time, you're worse than a girl." JC said when Justin finally entered the van.

"Bite me," Justin rolled his eyes.

He felt that same jealousy he'd felt earlier when he saw Shelby with Lance. Once again he reminded himself he had no reason to be jealous as they had no commitments.

They left the hotel and went to a club that was recommended to them by someone they'd talked to after the concert. Shelby was a bit nervous still, not because of the club itself, but because Justin really hadn't said much to her, he hadn't saw what she looked like. She really wanted his approval, and she thought her heart would break if she disappointed him.

A half an hour later, they stood outside the club, waiting to get in. There wasn't a really long line so it didn't really bother them to stand in line. When they got to the bouncer, he asked for ID's and while Shelby was getting hers out, all the guys went in. Shelby showed him her ID, and he took it.

"Sorry miss. You have to be 18." he said handing her the ID.

"But, I'm with them." Shelby said pointing in the direction which the guys had went.

"Yeah, step aside." he said turning to the next person in line.

"LANCE!" Shelby called when the door to the club opened.

Shelby waited for Lance to turn around, but when he didn't she sighed. Now what was she going to do, they weren't going to let her in the club and she had no where to go.

"Please sir, you have to let me in." she pleaded one more time.

"Look miss, you're not 18 and we can't let you in. Now, please leave before I call the cops." the bouncer said.

Shelby was near tears when she realized there was nothing she could do. She couldn't talk her way into the club, her only choice was to sit outside and wait for them. What if they didn't know she was gone? What if some creep tried to mug her? She stood next to the building and made herself invisible in the shadows for a few minutes, then sat down and sighed. Her only option was to wait, wait for somebody to remember that she wasn't with. If only she'd put her cell phone in her purse, she could call Lance, or one of the guys and she wouldn't be sitting out here all alone.

~*~

Right away, all the guys found a table and ordered drinks then hit the dance floor, the reason they'd went to the club. About a half an hour passed before Lance realized he hadn't seen Shelby since they'd come in.

"Guys, have you seen Shelby?" Lance asked Justin and JC who'd just sat down at the table to get a drink.

"No, not since we got here." JC said shaking his head.

"Same here, I thought she came here with you." Justin frowned feeling a nagging in his stomach that something wasn't right.

"She did, but I haven't seen her since we got here." Lance answered looking around.

Justin left the table without saying anything and headed to the door. He should have known something like this would happen, how could he be so stupid, he knew she was only 17. They should have put her in the middle of them so they would let her in, but instead, she was the last person from their group and he was sure she was outside somewhere.

Justin walked outside and looked around. When he didn't see her, he felt panic in his gut and his heart. He looked down the right side of the side walk as well as the left, but there was no sign of her. "Where are you sweetheart." he whispered as he ran down the sidewalk looking for any sign of her.

After going a good 100 feet one way, he went the other way with still no sign of her. He smacked himself when he saw there was an ally right next to the club and decided to risk walking down it, what he saw when he turned down it, nearly made his heart stop.

~*~

"What's a pretty little thing like you doing out here all by yourself?" a scraggly looking man asked Shelby.

Shelby was terrified, she didn't want to answer him and there was no one around. He was getting closer as she tried to disappear into the wall behind her.

"You didn't answer me sweety, what are you doing out here all by yourself. Don't you know it's not safe out here." he said running his dirty hand along her cheek.

Shelby felt tears fall down her face as he pushed himself against her and she jerked her head away when he tried to kiss her. "Leave me alone." she exclaimed.

"Oh, come on. You know you want it." he said trying once more to kiss her.

Just as Shelby was about to respond, he was gone. Shelby heard fighting as she huddled against the wall and closed her hands over her ears to make it all go away.

"Come here honey," Justin said after he'd taken care of the man.

Shelby melted into his embrace when he slipped his arms around her. She broke down and started trembling, she was too shocked to cry any more, but she just trembled in his arms.

Justin led her out of the ally and onto the sidewalk where he hugged her tightly. "I'm so sorry," Justin inhaled her scent as he held her.

"I was so scared. When they wouldn't let me in, I went into the ally, I didn't mean to, but I just wanted to get away from people staring at me. Can we please go inside? I don't want to be out here any more." Shelby said searching his eyes.

"Of course," Justin nodded. He grabbed her hand and led them inside the club.

Lance was right there as soon as they walked in and made sure she was okay as did the other guys.

"I'm fine," Shelby nodded.

"Wanna dance?" Lance asked as a slow song came on.

"Sure," Shelby smiled wanting to just forget all the bad and have some fun.

Justin felt the jealousy take him again as he watched them walk out to the dance floor.

"Jealous again?" JC asked him.

"Shut up JC." Justin snapped at him.

"What, you really have nothing to be jealous of. You said she's off limits remember." JC reminded him.

"Shut up."

JC just smiled and knew that their plan was working so far. He turned his attention to Lance who was dancing with Shelby.

"So, I'm really sorry about earlier." Lance said as he guided Shelby in a two step slow dance.

"It's okay." Shelby shrugged.

"I honestly thought you were eighteen." Lance said sheepishly.

"It's okay. You know now." Shelby smiled.

"You know Shelby, you're a really sweet girl." Lance said sincerely.

Shelby blushed and looked away, only to see Justin dancing with a beautiful blonde very closely. She turned her gaze away from them and focused on Lance. "Thank you." she said thickly.

Lance saw what she was looking at and mentally cursed Justin. Shelby didn't deserve to see that, Justin was only doing it out of spite. If only he knew that he was hurting Shelby.

Next a fast song came on and Lance invited Shelby to stay out on the dance floor and she agreed. Shelby wasn't a dancer, but she was natural and she flowed with the music, getting lost in the beat. In truth, she was a better dancer than Lance.

JC shook his head in disgust at Justin. He was out on the dance floor mere feet away from Shelby, dirty dancing with some blonde bimbo who looked like she should be on the street.

"He's being an asshole." JC commented to Joey.

"Who?" Joey asked paying attention to JC.

"Justin. Look at him." JC pointed to Justin who was still going at it with bimbo.

"Shit." Joey said.

At that moment Shelby saw him dancing with her, she felt her heart pound and a blush flush her face, she couldn't believe he would dance so provocatively with someone he didn't even know.

"I'm going to go get a drink," she told Lance needing to get off the dance floor and away from Justin.

"Sure, I'll go with you." Lance said, feeling her hurt.

"What can I get you?" Lance asked after they'd sat down at the table.

"I don't know." Shelby shrugged.

"A water maybe?" Lance suggested.

"I really don't want a water." Shelby shook her head.

"I know just the thing." Lance said as he went to the bar.

"How are ya Shelby?" Joey asked.

"Fine." Shelby shrugged.

"Are you having a good time?" he questioned further.

"I guess." Shelby said without feeling.

"Did you want to dance with me?" Joey tried again.

"No thanks." Shelby said after she'd checked the dance floor and saw Justin still out there with the girl.

"Here you go." Lance said setting a drink in front of her.

"What is it?" Shelby asked.

"Don't question it, just drink it." Lance assured her.

Shelby took a taste and found it surprisingly sweet. "It's good." she said taking a big drink.

"I'm glad you like it." Lance nodded.

"Hey guys," Justin said sitting down at the table.

"Hi." Joey said glaring at him.

"What are you drinking?" Justin asked Shelby.

Shelby just glanced at him and shrugged her shoulders.

"Okay then."

"Did you wanna dance now Joe?" Shelby asked as another fast song came on.

"Sure." Joey nodded.

"I'll join you." Justin said following them.

Shelby wasn't sure what to think, she really didn't want him following her, especially after his little scene on the dance floor.

Justin didn't know what to think when he felt Shelby's hesitation. She was comfortable with Joey, but for some reason, she was tense around him. That wasn't like her, normally she was comfortable with him.

"Are you okay?" Justin asked in her ear, dancing close.

Shelby nodded and shied away from his touch.

Joey noticed this, and felt even more pissed off at Justin. After they left, him and Justin were going to have a little talk. He was hurting Shelby, and he didn't even see it.

Shelby exited the dance floor and finished the rest of her drink. She stayed by herself for the next hour or so, purposely staying away from the guys and more importantly Justin. She felt tears in her eyes when they announced the last song, and it was Enrique Iglesias singing Hero. She looked around for Justin, and to her dismay, he was with the blonde girl.

Summoning the courage, Shelby went out to the dance floor and tapped the girl on the shoulder, "May I cut in?" she said just like the movies.

Unfortunately, unlike the movies, the girl Justin was dancing with laughed at her and told her to go away. Shelby felt so embarassed as she practically ran to the door, but was stopped by someone behind her.

Justin grabbed Shelby's arm and pulled her onto the dance floor and into his arms. His heart broke at the site of her tears, tears that once again, he'd created.

"I'm sorry baby." he whispered softly.

The endearment and the sincerity and apology in Justin's voice pushed Shelby over the edge. She broke down and clung to him tightly as they danced, she silently cried for her love for this man, and she cried for what happened earlier that night.

Justin started singing along with the music and he sang it to her, this was their song, they may not have a relationship, but he was her hero. He'd do anything to protect her, even deny his own happiness.

Chapter 16 by Leeann
Running, always running. That seemed to be the story of her life. She'd ran after her mother died, she'd ran after she graduated, and now she was still running. The difference between then and now was simple, this time she was running toward something, toward a vision. A vision of a new life completely free of self-doubt, free of self-hate, free of constant torment.
She listened to the sound of her feet hitting the pavement and her dep breathing. She flet liberated, it was the feeling of freedom she loved.

It was six am the morning after the incident at the club, Shelby couldn't sleep so she decided to go running. She had a lot of things on her mind, causing her to stay awake. One thing she'd found out since she'd been on tour as that running not only felt good and helped her loose weight, but it also gave her time to clear her mind and think.

"Shelby, wait up." a voice called out interrupting her thoughts.

Shelby turned around and smiled when she saw Lance running after her.

"What's goin on Lance?"

"Not much, just going for a run. I saw you leave the hotel and tried to get your attention, but you didn't hear me. You were gone really quick and I still had to grab something."

"Sorry, I just couldn't sleep and I had a lot on my mind. I think better when I'm running. That's one thing I've learned while on tour."

"What else have you learned while on tour?" Lance proded, trying to get her to open up.

Shelby was sick of hiding her feelings. She needed someone to talk to and right now Lance was the pefect candidate.

"I know I've only been here for like a week and a half, but after tonight I'm just fed up with everything. My whole life, I've been running from pain and I'm sick of it. I'm tired of shedding tears over other people's stupidity, for the first time in my life I'm running toward something. It's very libertating, yet I'm terrified. I'm terrified because I've never felt like this in my life, and I've only known him for like a month and half of that time he was an asshole to me." Shelby said slowing her pace to a walk and put her hands on her head.

Lance looked at her and was amazed by the girl that was next to him. She was completely different from the Shelby they had first met. She seemed to do a 180 on them and turned the opposite direction and started liking her life.

"I'm in with love him, Lance. Is it possible to love someone so much after such a little time?" Shelby said looking at him.

"I think that love can happen anytime, Shelby, regaardless of how long you've known each other. Nothing can stop feelings. Feelings just happen, and I know that Justin has been really protective of you since before the tour started and he's been your hero. It's really easy to get attached to that, but theres nothing wrong with loving him. Maybe he feels the same way."

"I really doubt that Lance, just look at last night--the way he was all over that girl." Shelby said inhaling deeply.

"Maybe he was jealous of me," Lance suggested.

"Don't be ridiculous, why would he be jealous of you? We're not together or anything." Shelby looked at him oddly.

"We're not together, but we were last night." Lance reminded her.

Lance could see that he got Shelby thinking about the night before and knew she was trying to remember if she saw Justin act jealous or not.

"I don't know Lance, either way it doesn't matter becaues I'm not going to do anything about it." Shebly shrugged.

To Lance those words sounded very familiar as Justin had said nearly that same thing. At this point everything was at a stand still. It was up to Justin to make a move, and Lance was calculating a plan in his mind to get the ball rolling.

"Thanks for listening to me rant, Lance. I feel a lot better." Shelby stopped and smiled at him.

"You're welcome Shelby, I'm here anytime you need to talk." Lance said leaning over and hugging her.

"We should probly get back, I think we leave at seven." Shelby sighed.

"True that, gotta shower and get rid of all this sweat." Lance said sniffing his shirt.

"That's gross Lance." Shelby said giving him an odd look.

Lance just shrugged and started back in the opposite direction.

"So where do we go from here?" Shelby asked as they walked back, breaking the silence.

"We're headed to LA after this, we'll be there for two days. Then from there we go to Salt Lake City, then to Montana, then to North Dakota." Lance answered as they neared the hotel.

"Sounds like fun," Shelby said, suddenly feeling awkward.

"Shelby, don't worry, I'm not going to tell him." Lance assured her as he held the door open for her.

Shelby visibly relaxed when she realized that she could trust Lance with her secret. "Thanks Lance."

Shelby and Lance parted ways to shower and get their things ready to leave. Shelby headed up to her room and smiled to herself when she saw Justin still sleeping in his bed.

"Wake up sleepy head." she whispered nudging his shoulder.

Justin just grunted and shrugged her hand off.

Shelby sat on the bed next to him and touched the hair right above his forehead and marveled at how soft it was, she gently touched his cheek and smiled. "Wake up, it's another day." She tried again.

This time Justin felt her touch and slowly opened his eyes. It took him a moment to focus his gaze and when he did, he saw Shelby sitting above him looking down at him. He smiled and touched the hand that was on his face. "Good morning." he smiled.

"Good morning." Shelby said as she returned his smile.

Justin grabbed her hand and sat up in the bed, he wrapped his arms around her in a hug and just held her close for a few minutes. He rested his head on her shoulder as she returned his embrace.

Shelby nearly melted when Justin grabbed her and held her. She deeply inhaled his masculine scent and felt complete. Unfortunately it seemed to end as quickly as it started when Justin pulled back.

"Sorry about last night, babe." he said kissing her cheek before getting up.

Shelby sat there dazed for a moment, then turned to him and nodded, "It's okay. I'm going to go shower." she said getting up.

"Don't take all day, I need to get in there too." Justin said.

"Don't worry, I don't take long." Shelby assured him.

While Shelby was in the shower, Justin packed all his things together except what he'd need to take a shower and change with. He kept seeing Shelby looking down at him with a look he'd never seen before. Was it possible that she was looking at him with love in her eyes? No, impossible. Theres no way that Shelby could love someone who made her life hell. Justin shook his head to rid himself of the thoughts and focused on what he was doing.

Several minutes later, Shelby emerged from the shower wearing her red AFI shirt and a pair of black strappy pants. "You're turn." she said going over to the mirror.

"Thanks." Justin smiled.

Shelby put on her make up and spiked her hair for the day, thinking to herself that she was going to grow her hair out, after getting sick of the constant glue applications and how bad it made her hair. After finishing applying all her accessories and makeup, Shelby started packing her things while quitely singing Taste of Ink by The Used. She smiled when she remembered what had happened with Brandy and the others. After that, everyone had been really nice to her.

After getting everything packed, Shelby took all her stuff out to the bus then stopped in the eating area to get her breakfast. She saw that Lance was already there, so she grabbed her bagel, bowl of fruit, and orange juice and went to sit next to him.

"Hello again Lance," Shelby said putting her stuff down.

"Hey Shelby, how was your shower?" Lance asked.

"Very refreshing." Shelby smiled.

"Same here, I don't remember if I've ever told you this, but you pull off the punk/gothic look really well." Lance replied taking in her clothing choice for the day.

"Thanks, I like it myself. You can thank my sister Nancy." Shelby smiled thinking back to the day they'd gotten their hair done.

Flash back

r0;This is sweet.r1; Nancy held up a black belt with silver circles.

r0;You can get it if your17;d like.r1; Shelby suggested.

r0;Really? Oh my gosh awesome.r1; Nancy stared at Shelby unbelievingly.

r0;Of course, you want to get a haircut while wer17;re here?r1;

r0;Could I get it short and spiky? Ir17;d love to dye it pink with black tips.r1; Nancy beamed.

r0;Are you punking out?r1; Shel chuckled.

r0;Yes, I love that style. Theyr17;re some freshmen that wear spiked collars. I think theyr17;re cool.r1;

Shelby paid for the belt and they headed towards MasterCut for an appointment.

r0;Do you guys have time for a cut? And by any chance do you have pink hair dye?r1; Shelby asked.

r0;Yes, and yes.r1; The woman smiled.

r0;OK wer17;ll take an appointment for dying and a cut.r1; Shelby told the woman.

r0;Our next opening is at 4:45.r1;

r0;That sounds great, namer17;s Nancy.r1; Shelby smiled.

r0;Did you make it?r1; Nancy asked.

r0;Yep, at 4:45 and you get pink spikes.

r0;No way! Alice would never approve.r1; Nancy stood jaw dropped shock.

r0;Alice isnr17;t here right now, I am. We all have to live a little right?r1; Shelby replied.

r0;Why donr17;t you a live a little Shelby? You should do the same thing to your hair.r1;

r0;I donr17;t know Nancy, whor17;s to say pinks my color.r1; Shelby smiled.

r0;Black, you should dye it black. Go back and make an appointment for yourself.r17; Nancy gestured to the shop.

r0;Ok, you win.r1; Shelby went back and made an appointment for the same time; cut and die.

r0;Oh, my gosh, therer17;s Jason. Walk towards him.r1; Nancy nudged Shelby.

r0;Him?r1; Shel pointed making sure it was the same one she was looking at.

r0;Yes, isnr17;t he cute,r1; Nancy smiled dreamy.

r0;Uh huh, if you say so,r1; Shelby nodded absent-mindedly.

r0;That must be his brother.r1; Nancy pointed to the guy standing with his back turned.

r0;Could be,r1; Shel nodded.

Nancy sat down on a bench a few feet away and pretended not to notice them standing there.

r0;Why donr17;t you just go say hi?r1; Shel wondered looking at him.

r0;Shel, that would be to obvious.r1; Nancy retorted.

r0;If you say so.r1; Shelby shrugged.

r0;His brother is in college.r1; Nancy randomly put out there.

r0;Kool.r1; Shelby nodded.

r0;Yep, he looks cute doesnr17;t he.r1;

r0;Her17;s got his back turned so I donr17;t know.r1;

r0;Not him, Jason.r1;

r0;Sure.r1; Shelby smirked.

r0;Shelby?r1; a masculine voice called her name.

r0;Oh, my gosh, her17;s coming over here.r1; Nancy nudged Shel.

Shelby looked at the approaching figures and smiled.

r0;Hey Brad.r1; She stood up.

r0;What are you doing here?r1; Brad asked stopping next to them.

r0;Just hanging out with my sister.r1; Shelby gestured to her sister.

r0;What a coincidence, Ir17;m here with my brother.r1; Brad smiled.

r0;Nancy, this is Brad, Brad, Nancy.r1; Shelby introduced.

r0;Nice to meet you Nancy, I believe you know my brother Jason.r1; Brad smiled at the blush Nancy gave.

r0;Hey Nancy,r1; Jason smiled.

r0;Jason.r1; Nancy nodded.

r0;So what are you guys doing?r1; Brad broke the silence.

r0;Wer17;re getting new hair styles at 4:45 so wer17;re just hanging out.r1; Shelby answered.

r0;What are you getting?r1; Brad wondered.

r0;Short and spiky mine pink with black tips, hers black with pink tips.r1; Nancy answered.

r0;Wow that should be interesting.r1; Brad replied hesitantly.

r0;Hey donr17;t knock it.r1; Nancy scowled at him.

r0;Yeah, live a little bro.r1; Jason reprimanded.

r0;Ok.r17; Brad held his hands up backing off.

r0;We were just going to go check out Spencerr17;s, want to come?r1; Jason asked Nancy.

r0;Sure, Ir17;d love to. I got to check out their awesome spiked collars.r1; Nancy agreed.

r0;Come on Shel,r1; Brad nodded towards the kids.

r0;Sure, why not.r1; Shel nodded, then fell in line with Brad, keeping their distance behind Jason and Nancy.

r0;Nancy has quite the thing for Jason.r1; Shelby whispered discreetly.

r0;That was kind of obvious but just between me and you, he likes her too.r1; Brad chuckled.

r0;Are you serious?r1; Shelby smiled excitedly.

r0;Yeah, he was telling me about her in the car.r1; Brad answered.

r0;Shelby, oh my gosh, come look at this.r1; Nancy pointed to a white dog collar chocker with silver spikes.

r0;Cool,r1; Shelby answered honestly.

r0;This would go great with my new hair cut.r1; Nancy sighed wistfully.

r0;Pick out whatever you want,r1; Shelby motioned to the case.

r0;Awesome.r1; Nancy bounced and browsed some more.

r0;Your17;re just going to let her get anything?r1; Brad asked surprised.

r0;Alice doesnr17;t get her anything. Just look at her clothes. I can afford this one splurge.r1; Shelby sighed in disgust.

r0;You donr17;t like her do you?r1; Brad asked.

r0;Sher17;s not a good mother, she shouldnr17;t be allowed to have foster kids, all she does, is keep the money she gets. She yells at everyone. Ir17;m going be glad to get out of
there. To her I was just a modern day Cinderella. But enough of that,r1; Shelby explained.

r0;Itr17;s like 4:30, you might want to wrap this up.r1; Brad pointed to the clock.

r0;Nancy, hurry up, we should be getting back soon.r1; Shel informed her.

r0;Ok, just let me get an associate over here to get me this chocker.r1; Nancy looked around.

Suddenly a woman appeared as if being able to read her mind.

r0;Can I help you guys with something?r1; she asked.

r0;Yes, could I get these two chokers?r1; Nancy pointed to the white one and a plastic, see through, pink one.

r0;Ok, did you want to pay for this now, or check some other things out?r1; the woman asked.

r0;Actually Ir17;ll take that black one.r1; Shelby surprised everyone by pointing to a black spiky one.

r0;All right Shel.r1; Nancy nodded in approval.

r0;Well, hey if wer17;re going get similar dor17;s then we might as well have similar accessories. What do you think is it appropriate for graduation?r1; Shelby smiled evilly.

r0;Oh yeah Shelby great grad material.r1; Nancy snickered.

r0;Well my hairs going be black and pink anyways might as well go all out right?r1; Shelby pointed out

r0;Ok, you girls are crazy.r17; The sales lady smiled.

r0;Thank you, I do try hard.r1; Nancy gathered the things and set them on the counter.

r0;Your total is $25.15.r1;

r0;For all three?r1; Shelby asked, expecting the price to be more.

r0;Theyr17;re buy 2 get one free.r1; She explained putting them in a bag.

r0;Thanks.r1; Shelby paid then they headed to Mastercut.

r0;Hey ladies, what can we do ya for?r1; the lady behind the counter asked.

r0;We had a 4:45 appointment.r1; Shelby answered first.

r0;Nancy and Shelby?r1;

r0;Thatr17;s us.r1; Nancy grinned.

r0;You guys can go if you want. You donr17;t have to stick around.r1; Shelby told Brad.

r0;No way man, this I got to see.r1; Brad sat down.

r0;Ok girls, why donr17;t you come back here and tell us what you want.r1; Sally, the hair lady told them.

r0;Give us short spiky hair, mine pink with black tips, and hers black with pink tips.r1; Nancy explained.

r0;Awesome, are you guys punking out?r1; Andre the guy doing Shelbyr17;s hair asked.

r0;Just going for different.r1; Nancy answered.

r0;Well, all the power to ya.r1; Andre smiled then set to work on Shelbyr17;s hair.

r0;Loosing a lot of hair Nancy.r1; Shelby watched Sally do Nancyr17;s hair in the opposite mirror.

r0;So are you.r1; Nancy smiled.

r0;Ok, now wer17;re just going to start putting the dye on. Wer17;ll use these foil pieces to separate the different color tips from the main color.r1; Andre explained.

They then began painting on the dye all over their head, starting with the roots. 15 minutes later they sat side by side, reading the latest music magazine at the insistence
of Andre who thought everyone should be current on music news.

r0;People actually like those guys?r1; Nancy shuddered.

r0;Who?r1; Shelby asked glancing at Nancyr17;s magazine.

r0;Some group called Nsync. They all look like a bunch of pansies.r1; Nancy showed Shelby the picture.

r0;Oh, never heard of them.r1; Shelby shrugged.

r0;Theyr17;re not bad.r1; Andre filled them in on his own opinion.

r0;If you say so man.r1; Nancy flipped the page.

r0;Now therer17;s someone who can sing.r1;

r0;Who?r1; Shelby asked.

r0;Pink. I absolutely love her new song r16;Donr17;t let me get mer17;.r1; Nancy answered showing Shel the picture.

r0;Is she your inspiration?r1; Shelby asked picking up on the undercurrents.

r0;Yeah, her and No Doubtr17;s Gwen Stefani. Man they rock. I love No Doubt, especially Hey Baby.r1; Shelby watched Nancy glowing and smiled.

r0;Letr17;s take a peek-see to see how our colorr17;s coming along.r1; Andre removed one of the wrappings and gauged that the color needed to site for like another ten minutes.

r0;Shelby, what are you going to do after grad?r1; Nancy asked.

r0;Ir17;m moving to Orlando. I plan on leaving early Sunday morning.r1; Shelby answered feeling bored.

r0;Really? Wow, thatr17;s soon.r1; Nancy was surprised.

r0;I canr17;t take any more shit from the dragon.r1; Shelby sighed referring to Alice.

r0;Oh, tell me about it. You know what, Ir17;ve only been living here about 6 months, but she really yells at you a lot.r1; Nancy noted.

r0;Yeah, to her Ir17;m modern Cinderella. All she does is yell at me and put me down.r1; Shelby looked away.

r0;I wish we could have hung out earlier, your17;re kind of cool. When I first came, I thought you kept to yourself all the time because you were really stuck up. I can see
now why you do. All the other kids are mean and they pick on you all the time. I promise I wonr17;t be mean. I think your17;re nice.r1; Nancy smiled sweetly.

r0;Thatr17;s so sweet Nancy. This is fun. I also wish we could have hung out more. Maybe you could come visit me when I move.r1; Shel suggested smiling.

r0;That would be fun.r1; Nancy smiled.

r0;So what do you think the guys are up to?r1; Shelby wondered.

r0;Probably sitting there bored.r1; Nancy giggled.

r0;Actually wer17;re sitting right here watching.r1; Brad laughed.

Shelby about jumped clean out of her chair, r0;Holy cow Brad, donr17;t do that. I about had a heart attack.r1;

r0;I could see that.r1; Brad chuckled.

r0;When did you guys get back here?r1; Nancy asked.

r0;Andre let us come back after theyr17;d cut your hair.r1; Jason nodded.

r0;Why didnr17;t you say anything?r1; Shelby raised an eyebrow at Bradr17;s reflection in the mirror in front of her.

r0;We didnr17;t want to interrupt your girl talk.r1; Brad shrugged.

r0;Ok, girls, why donr17;t we get this color rinsed out.r1; Andre and Sally returned.

r0;Wonr17;t the colors run together?r1; Nancy asked.

r0;No, we take out the main first, then when the water runs clear, wer17;ll take the tip sheets off.r1; Andre explained getting to work.

r0;Ack, brr.r1; Shelby exclaimed when he started to spray her hair under the faucet.

r0;Sorry love,r1; Andre replied in his thick French accent.

r0;Oh, this is going to look great.r1; Sally smiled rinsing out Nancyr17;s highlights.

Ten minutes later they had everything rinsed out. They showed the girls how to make their hair spiky with this hair wax/glue.

r0;Close your eyes girls.r1; Andre demanded.

Nancy and Shelby closed their eyes as Sally and Andre completed the final touch ups.

r0;Ok now open your eyes.r1; Sally told them.

r0;Oh, my gosh, this looks awesome.r1; Nancy exclaimed examining her new hair.

Shelby sat there stunned at the transformation that had taken place.

r0;Wow, Shelby, you look great.r1; Nancy looked at Shel.

r0;This is really cool.r1; Shelby gingerly touched a spike.

r0;The black really accents the pink.r1; Andre agreed.

r0;Shouldnr17;t it be the other way around? Her hair is black.r1; Nancy asked confused.

r0;The black brings out the pink which is why her pink looks brighter then yours.r1; He explained.

r0;I get it. You both look sensational.r1; Brad smiled from behind.

r0;Your17;re collars will go great with that look.r1; Jason nodded appreciatively.

r0;Thank you. Alice is going flip her lid when she sees us.r1; Nancy smiled, rebellion in her eyes.

r0;Who cares about what that old dragon thinks.r1; Shelby rolled her eyes in disgust.

r0;Listen to Shelby, it looks awesome. Letr17;s go eat, on me, to celebrate.r1; Brad motioned.

r0;You look great love.r1; Andre went to the cash register.

r0;Thanks, how much do I owe you?r1; Shelby wondered.

r0;Actually, this ones on the house.r1; Andre nodded.

r0;No, we canr17;t do that.r1; Shelby said uncomfortably.

r0;I insist.r1; Andre added.

r0;I donr17;t want you to get in trouble.r1; Shelby admitted.

r0;I wonr17;t get in trouble, I own this place. Brad, grab her by the hand and take her out before she insists again.r1; Andre chuckled.

r0;Come on Shel,r1; Brad grabbed her and pulled her out.

r0;That was insane.r1; Shelby said walking on a cloud.

r0;You look great.r1; Brad nodded.

"Shelby?" Lance said waving his hand in front of her face.

"Did we lose her?" JC said sitting down across from her.

"I'm not sure, I complimented her on something and she spaced out and shes been like this for the last 10 minutes."

"Who's been like this for the past 10 minutes?" Justin said coming upon the group.

"Shelby, she's been spaced out." Lance replied nodding to Shelby who was staring intently at a spot on the table.

Nobody knew that she was lost in a memory, one of the few happy memories she had of her previous life.

"Shelby." Justin said snapping his fingers in front of her.

At Justin's voice, Shelby snapped out of it and looked at him, then to JC, then finally to Lance. "Sorry, I was just thinking about something." Shelby smiled feeling slightly embarrassed.

"It's okay, just needed to make sure you were still alive in there." Lance said putting his arm around her.

Shelby smiled at Lance then focused her attention to the food in front of her.

JC smiled when he saw the look on Justin's face and realized what Lance was doing, he was trying to make Justin jealous and by the looks of it, it was most definatly working. It would be just a matter of time before Justin came out with his feelings.

Justin glared at Lance, and recognized the feeling in his stomach. He was jealous, jealous of Lance. He glanced at JC who was smirking at him. He remembered what JC said about him not having the right to be jealous as him and Shelby were not dating. Justin just rolled his eyes and focused his attention on his food.

Shelby noticed this and commented, "Is everything okay Justin?"

Justin glanced up at Shelby and noted her sencerity and smiled, "Yes everything is fine."

Shelby looked doubtful but let it drop and finished eating.

After they were all done eating, they boarded the bus and headed on the four hour drive to LA. In LA they would do their normal routine; check into the hotel, have interviews and a signing at a record store, then they would go to the venue for soundcheck, go eat, then perform. The second day they would be spending in LA they had off. A complete day to themselves, in which they could do whatever they wanted.

The day went really slow as everyone was excited to have a day off, they were all making plans what they were going to do.

"Shelby what do you plan on doing?" Lance asked her.

"I have no idea, I've never been here before." Shelby shrugged.

"Have you ever been to Disney Land?" Lance questioned knowing she hadn't, but wanted to make her feel included anyway.

"No, I've always wanted to go to one of them theme parks." Shelby smiled shyly.

"Do you want to go with me tomorrow?"

"Really?" Shelby light up excited.

"Yeah, all of us are going tomorrow, I just wanted to know if you'd come." Lance nodded.

"That would be so much fun. Of course I'll go." Shelby jumped up and down and hugged Lance tightly.

Another one of her dreams was going to come true. Shelby couldn't be more happy. She went to find Justin to give him the good news.

Justin was in the dressing room flirting with Brandy when Shelby found him, "Justin guess what!" Shelby exclaimed when she saw him.

"What's that." Justin smiled at her.

"Lance invited me to go with you guys to Disney Land." Shelby answered with serious excitment in her voice.

"That's awesome Shelby, I was going to invite you, but Lance beat me to it." Justin said with a hint of jealousy in his voice.

"It's okay Justin, I'm still going." Shelby reminded him.

"Right." Justin nodded, still feeling that jealousy in the pit of his stomach.

The rest of the night went really fast for Shelby as she was so excited for her big day tomorrow. She fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow.

Justin on the other hand had trouble falling asleep. He couldn't figure out what was going on with Lance and Shelby, Lance knew his feelings for Shelby, so why would he be doing that to him. It was three am before he finally gave up and just slid in bed next to Shelby and put his arm around her. In an instant, he was comfortable enough to go to sleep.

Shelby woke up the next morning and felt something out of place. She realized what it was when she felt someones arm around her waist. She cautiously maneuvered so that she was facing the culpret and smiled. He looked so adorable when he slept. His curls were all messy and he looked completely content and maybe even dreaming. Shelby couldn't resist kissing his neck where her face rested.

Shelby looked up at his face and saw he was still sleeping so she put her hand on his chest and grabbed his beater and held on and just kept watching him sleep. This went on for the next fifteen minutes before Justin finally woke up after feeling eyes on him.

Justin opened his eyes and looked down to find Shelby watching him. He softened his gaze and tenderly smiled at her. "Good morning sweetie." he whispered moving his hand to softly caress her cheek.

Shelby couldnt help but lean into his touch as she smiled and answered, "Good morning."

"How long have you been watching me?" he asked.

"About fifteen minutes or so." Shelby replied.

"And who said you could watch me sleep." Justin said accusing her.

"Who said you could move over here. What's wrong with your bed?" Shelby answered with an accusation of her own.

"You looked so cute and cuddley over here all by yourself." Justin smiled.

Shelby didn't know what to say to that, especially after feeling her face grow warm from blushing.

"You look so cute when you blush," Justin laughed. "Oh, there she goes again."

"Stop it." Shelby said turning her face into her pillow.

"You know I'm only teasing Velma, besides you are really cute when you blush." he said kissing her forehead. "Now, lets get up, we have a busy day of fun ahead of us."

"Yes sir," Shelby said feeling dizzy after he'd kissed her forehead.

They got up and showered then went down to have breakfast and wait for the others. Turns out everyone else was dressed already and waiting for them.

"Geez, what took you guys so long, busy night?" Joey said winking.

"Haha." Justin said glaring at his friend.

Shelby just shrugged and sat down to eat her usual breakfast.

"Are you excited Shelby?" Lance asked.

"Yeah," Shelby nodded with a smile on her face.

"I can't wait to go on Splash Mountain." Chris said bouncing his feet up and down.

"Splash Mountain?" Shelby said with interest.

"You've never heard of Splash Mountain? Oh, girl you're going to love it. It's a ride where u are in this log and it takes you through an awesome course through a mountain and then at the end you go down this big huge fall and splash down through water. You get intensely wet, but its seriously a rush." Chris explained.

Shelby looked down at her outfit and back at Chris, "Do I want to get wet in this?"

Today Shelby was wearing a red tank top that said Rebel and a pair of strappy capri type pants. Ones that came up to about the middle of her calf and a pair of red Chucks.

"You'll be fine." Chris assured her.

"Thanks." Shelby smiled.

"What's your favorite Disney Princess?" Lance asked.

"Cinderella. Story of my life, except the whole princess part and I'm still waiting for my Prince to come." Shelby smiled shyly.

"That's okay Shelby, he's out there. He's just waiting for a Princess like you." Lance smiled then glanced at Justin.

"Thanks Lance," Shelby said blushing.

Justin leaned over to her and whispered for her ears only, "You still look cute when you blush."

Shelby didn't say anything she just leaned her head so that she wasnt looking at the others and more towards Justin and turned even more red.

"Justin leave the girl alone, you're embarassing her." Joey teased.

"What I was only telling her the truth." Justin said looking at Shelby who was trying to hide.

"Stop it," she said to Justin trying to hide behind him.

"Okay, I'll be good," Justin said then kissed her cheek.

It took several minutes for Shelby to gain her composure. Justin had never been so open with her in front of everyone else before and she was beginning to wonder why.

"Come on guys, lets go now." JC said standing up.

The guys and Shelby piled out into the van that would take them to Disney and took off. Shelby sat between Lance and Justin, Justin being next to the window. Shelby kept leaning over Justin to look out the window without even thinking.

"Did you wanna trade places Shelby?" Justin asked with a smirk.

Shelby was leaned over Justin when he asked that, but she didnt hear what he said and just continued to look out the window, compeletely relaxed across his lap.

"Did you wanna trade places?" he said again, this time she heard him and turned her head.

Justin wasnt expecting her face to be so close to his when she turned her head. He had an overpowering urge to kiss her right then, as she looked at him with a huge smile on her face. She smiled at him causing an electric current to his heart.

Shelby smiled at Justin and her heart melted, he was so handsome, and she was so happy just to be with him. She didn't mind leaning over him to look out the window so there was no way she was moving. He'd have to make her move if he wanted her to move.

Joey was in the backseat behind the two of them and smiled at what he saw. Justin and Shelby were getting a long really well. He thought about his conversation with Lance that afternoon and smiled.

"So you're telling me she told you she loves him?" Joey said trying to comprehend what this meant.

"Yes, she said she's sick of running away from her pain and her life and for the first time she was running toward something. She told me that she loved him, and like Justin, she said she wasnt going to do anything about it." Lance shook his head.

"And she shouldn't have to do anything about it. That's Justin's job. They're going to get together Lance, with or without our help." Joey said with a slightly sinister smile.

At the park, the first place Shelby was taken to was Splash Mountain--at the insistance of Chris of course. The others tried to warn her not to go on it first as she would be wet for a while, but Shelby felt bad telling Chris no. So here they were, in line for Splash Mountain.

"You excited?" Chris asked her.

"I guess." Shelby shrugged.

"Come on, it's Splash Mountain, it'll be awesome." Chris said bouncing up and down.

"Dude, it's just Splash Mountain," a voice interrupted from behind.

"Excuse me?" Chris said turning around.

Behind him stood a girl about 5'1 with shoulder length hair and black glasses looking up at him. "You heard me, I said it's just Splash Mountain. It's not that big of a deal."

"Who asked you anyway." Chris said turning back to Shelby.

"Trust me, it's not that great." The girl told Shelby.

Shelby wasn't sure how to respond so she stuck out her hand and introduced herself. "Hello, I'm Shelby."

"Kryhztal, my friends call me Kry." Kry said shaking her hand. "Is this your first time at Disney Land?"

"Yeah, is it that obvious?" Shelby asked shyly.

"Pretty much. You have this shy kitten look about you. Are you here with all these guys?" Kryhztal asked looking at the five guys that were around her.

"Yeah," Shelby nodded.

"They look pretty scary. What are you doing with them?" Kryhztal asked.

"We're here on vacation." Shelby said knowing not to blow the guys cover.

"Where are you from?" Kry asked.

"Well, I'm from North Dakota, but I just moved to Orlando." Shelby smiled.

"Come on babe, it's our turn." Justin said grabbing her hand.

"Well it was nice talking to you Kry." Shelby said looking back at her.

"Hey, same here. If you can remember my email address I'll talk to you again. Its illhanglikeastar@msn.com, see ya around and have fun on your vacation." Kry waved goodbye as the group boarded the ride.

The ride was just as fun as Chris said it would be, and in the end, Shelby ended up getting the most wet out of any of them. They went on all the other major rides then stopped at about 3pm to get some lunch then they were visiting Downtown Disney at about four.

"Hey Shelby, I got this for you, it's to remember this trip by." Justin said handing her a minnie mouse teddy bear wearing a shirt that said 'Kiss Me' and a shirt for Shelby to go with it.

Shelby smiled brightly at Justin and put the shirt on over her beater and looked down at it. It was definatly something she normally wouldn't wear, but today it was for Justin. "Thank you." She smiled at him then hugged him.

Chris bought her a little bear that said 'I survived Splash Mountain.' One in which Shelby thought was very considerate of him and very cute.

Lance bought her a Cinderella figurine, which he had engraved 'One Day My Prince Will Come'. "Thanks Lance," she said hugging him tightly.

"It's okay Shelby, I know he likes you back. Just give it time." he whispered.

Joey bought her a minnie mouse doll dressed in punk clothes which made Shelby giggle.

JC got her a really gorgeous journal to write in as he knew she was a poetry writer. He told her it was to write her lyrics in, because one day they would write a song together.

It was nearly dark by the time they were finished with all they wanted to do. It was time for the fire works show in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle. Shelby was loaded with her presents as she sat down on a blanket they'd brought. There was loud music playing as everyone gathered around the front of the castle to watch the fire works.

"Did you have fun today?" Lance asked.

"Yes, it was so much fun. I loved every minute of it, including the sunburn I feel. Thank you guys so much for everything. Today was one of the best days of my life." Shelby looked at them with tears in her eyes.

Justin put an arm around her and pulled her close so she was sitting with her back to him slightly leaning against him.

Shelby tipped her head to look at him and smiled, she put her head on his shoulder and waited for the show to start.

Lance looked over at the couple and smiled, he had a feeling that tonight would be the breakthrough they were waiting for. Tonight Justin was going to reveal himself to her.

Shelby became very active when the fireworks started. She sat up and practically kneeled as she watched them go off. They were choreographed with music and she felt tears trickle down her face during some parts, she was in awe at the beauty of it all.

Justin grabbed her hand and held it tightly as he watched Shelby rather than the fire works. Shelby stood up not being able to take it any more and Justin stood with her.

Nothing could prepare either Shelby or Justin for what happened next. As if some sort of Disney Magic, the next song was Hero. Justin grabbed her by the waist and held her close. Shelby relaxed in Justin's arms and let him sway them to the music. There was no place she would rather be then right her right now, in her Hero's arms. The man she loved was holding her and she was happy.

Just when Shelby thought it couldn't get any better, Justin started softly singing the song to her, she turned her head to look at him and watched him sing rather than watching the fire works.

The fireworks in the sky weren't the only fire works that were happening at that moment. Shelby and Justin got lost in each others eyes and in the moment. Finally Justin did what he'd been denying himself, he leaned down and softly kissed her. Shelby made a noise in shock, but soon turned to face him and shyly put her arms around his neck and kissed him back. Kissing Justin was like nothing she'd ever imagined. He was her first kiss, her first everything, she loved him and he was kissing her.

Justin pulled back and sang the last line of the song to her softly, "I can be your hero".

Chapter 17 by Leeann
Shelby was in Justin's arms in the backseat on the way back to the hotel. Her head rested on his shoulder with his arms wrapped warmly around her. She'd never felt so safe and secure.

The others had given them the backseat in case they needed privacy to talk, but they were both sitting quietly thinking about what had happened between them. Both of them thinking opposite thoughts.

On Justin's end, there was a struggle in himself--an inner turmoil. He had never meant to show his feelings, especially so soon. But the moment had been perfect, the setting was beautiful, and Shelby had never been more beautiful herself. He didn't want her to think that he kissed her, but didn't feel anything for her, because that would be a lie. His memory led him back to a few weeks ago.

"All right. If you dont have an embarassing moment you have to kiss Shelby." Lance added at the last minute.

"No." Shelby shook her head.

"Why not?" Joey asked innocently.

"Easy for you to say when you're not the one whos going to get mauled. Besides we need to stay seated and buckled." Shelby reminded them.

"Yeah whatever." Lance flipped his hand as to ignore the rule.

"Okay, it'll work for Chris and Justin then." Joey said pointing to the two who were sitting right next to her.

"It's not working for anyone." Shelby said getting frustrated.

"What are you getting so riled up about Shelby?" Chris asked from her left.

"Don't you think that a kiss is sacred and shouldn't be shared with just anyone? Especially not in a game, its just degrading." Shelby explained her feelings.

"Why, Shelby, you're a true romantic." JC looked at her surprised.

"Why do I have to be a romantic to feel that kissing should be sacred." Shelby looked at them with a scowl.

"Not everybody feels the same way you do Shelby." Chris shrugged.

It dawned on him that Shelby really did care for him. If she didn't she never would have let him kiss her. God that scared him, he didn't know if he was ready for a serious relationship that he knew Shelby deserved. His heart was broken and his soul was shattered when Britney left him, but that wasn't it. He wasn't afraid Shelby would hurt him, he was afraid he would hurt her. He looked down at the beautiful soul in his arms and knew he couldn't be one to cause her any more pain.

Shelby on the other hand was on cloud nine, the man she loved had kissed her. Kissed her. She didn't think she'd ever know what that was like. And yet now, her hero, the man she loved, had kissed her, and she was in her arms. There was really no place she could think of that she would rather be. She wanted to know where this put them, their relationship. What was to become of it?

"Keep it G rated back there guys." Chris called from the front passenger seat.

"Shut up Chris." Shelby answered.

"So you are alive." he turned around and smiled at her.

"Of course."

"So did you have a good time?" JC asked her, turning so he could see everyone. He was sitting with Joey in the middle seat, next to the window. Lance was driving the van and Chris was sitting in the front passenger seat.

"It was really fun. You guys didn't have to get me anything, but it was really sweet and I'll cherish it forever." Shelby smiled with tears in her eyes.

"Shelby, you're not supposed to cry." JC said seeing her tears.

Shelby just shrugged and brushed away her tears.

"I haven't had so much fun or been so happy in the longest time." she sniffled.

"Well I'm glad you're having fun and that you're happy. You've changed in the short amount of time you've been with us." JC smiled, remembering the lost frightened girl who they'd met at the coffee shop.

They arrived at the hotel a few minutes later and everyone decided to just go to bed.

Shelby lay in her bed unable to sleep. An hour had passed since she first lay down, sighing she sat up and looked around in the dark. She could tell Justin was sleeping by the steadiness of his breathing so she quitely got up and left the room. She made her way to the elevator and went up to the top floor, from there she found the entrance to the roof and went outside. She stood out looking at the beautiful lights and smiled.

It was beautiful, she wished someone was here to share it with her, which made her long to talk to a familiar voice. She sat down with her back to the ledge and dialed a familiar number on her cell phone.

It rang several times before the person on the other end picked up.

"Hello? This better be good."

"Brad?"

"Shelby sweetie is that you? Where are you, it's like three am here." Brad said clearing his sleep clouded throat.

"I'm sorry Brad, I forgot about the time difference, we're in LA. I'm sorry I called you, I just wanted to talk to someone." Shelby sighed.

"What's wrong?" Brad asked sensing something strange in her voice.

"Justin kissed me." Shelby blurted.

"What? Wow." Brad breathed.

"Yeah." Shelby nodded feeling tears burning at the back of her throat.

"So are you guys together now?" Brad asked, almost feeling jealous.

"I don't know. He hasn't talked to me since it happened." Shelby sniffled.

"Shelby baby don't cry. You know I hate it when I can't be there to give you a hug." Brad said inhaling deeply.

"I'm sorry." Shelby said as she started to cry harder.

"You're in love with him aren't you?" Brad asked knowingly.

Shelby didn't reply for a few minutes, but when she finally found her voice she couldn't stop from telling him the truth. "Yeah."

"I thought so." Brad sighed again.

"I didn't mean to."

"I know you didn't, but let me tell you something Shelby. I think it's safe to say Justin isn't one of those guys who would just kiss and not feel anything behind it. Especially with you, since he knows everything that you've been through." Brad assured her.

"Thanks Brad, I needed to hear that." Shelby sniffed and dried her tears.

"Anything for you sweetie."

"Have you heard anything from Nancy lately?" Shelby asked.

"She called Justin the other day. I gave him your number to give to her next time she calls."

"Thanks, I miss her. I miss you too." Shelby sighed feeling tears rising again.

"No Shel, don't start crying again. We'll see each other soon enough."

"I know, I'm not going to cry again." Shelby smiled.

"So did I tell you Monique had a miscarriage?" Brad said changing the subject.

"No. What happened."

"Apparently she wasn't taking very good care of herself. Came over here crying about how she wanted me to take her back and all that bs. I told here were she could take her shit."

"Good. How's the job?" Shelby asked.

"It's good. We still miss you around here though."

"Yeah, sorry to say I don't miss it there." Shelby snorted.

"I don't blame ya." Brad answered.

Shelby really wanted to tell him about their trip coming up soon to Minot. But she didn't want it to get out to anyone else, especially Alice that she would be in town--even if it was just going to be passing through.

Just then the door opened and Shelby saw Justin step outside. He didn't see her right away, so she stayed where she was for a moment, she watched him for a moment then focused her attention back to her conversation with Brad.

Brad stifled a yawn and laughed, "Shelby babe it's really late, I gotta get goin. I'll talk to you later okay?"

"Okay, bye Brad." Shelby smiled then hung up the phone.

As soon as she talked Justin turned and saw her sitting there. She knew there were tell tale tear stains on her face and she wished she could just disappear.

"What are you doing out here?" Justin asked sitting next to her.

"I couldn't sleep." Shelby answered with a slight shrug.

"Why didn't you wake me?" Justin said putting an arm around her drawing close.

Shelby leaned into his embrace and rested her head back against his shoulder, where she belonged. "Because you were sleeping. I didn't want to wake you, because I know you have a show tomorrow night and you have a busy day all day tomorrow and you need your sleep."

"I don't mind losin a few hours of sleep if you need someone to talk to Shelby." Justin assured her.

"It's not necessarily that I needed someone to talk to, I just couldn't sleep." Shelby sighed.

"Shelby. About what happened tonight--" Justin started.

Shelby braced herself. She sighed inwardly and didn't like the way this was starting.

"I just wanted to say that well, I really liked kissing you." Justin said.

Shelby released a breath she didn't realize she held. She turned her head to look at him and saw he was serious and there was a sincere yet tender look on his face. She glanced down at his lips then back up to his eyes. She didn't know what to say, all she could do was blush and stare at him.

"There you go with that blushing again." Justin chuckled.

Shelby blushed again and looked away from him and felt herself grow really shy.

"I have a question for you Shelby." Justin said after a few minutes of silence.

"Okay." she nodded.

"What do you see when you look at me ?"

Shelby looked at him and smiled.

"I see a man who's been hurt in the past. A man who is passionate about everything he does, if it's playing a game of basketball with the guys, or on stage in fromt of thousands of people. I see a man who is as handsome on the inside as he is on the outside. You're someone I can talk with about anything thats going on, and always feel better afterwards. You make me feel stronger, you make me see theres more to myself then just fat. You make me feel alive."

Justin held her tightly and kissed her cheek. He never wanted to let go. "Thank you." he whispered.

Shelby turned her head so she could look at him and could see tears shining brightly in his eyes. "I should be the one thanking you."

Justin closed the small space between them and softly kissed her lips, he deepend the kiss when Shelby closed her eyes and leaned into him. Her lips were soft and seemd to fit perfectly against his. His arms tightened around her and fireworks seemed to be going off all over again as the kiss intensified.

Shelby was the first one to pull back this time. She stayed really close, but she was searching his eyes, not sure of herself.

"We should get goin back to bed," Justin said moving to stand up.

"Yeah." Shelby agreed. She grabbed Justin's hand and let him help her up.

Justin didn't let go of her hand, he held it as they went back down to their room. They met Joey in the hallway who had ran down to the hall to get some ice.

"What are you guys doing up?" Joey asked seeing their joined hands.

"I couldn't sleep, so I went up to the roof and called Brad then Justin came and found me." Shelby blushed when she remembered what happened next.

"You're blushing," Joey smirked.

"She's cute when she blushes isn't she." Justin said holding her close with an arm around her.

"Yeah." Joey nodded taking in the closeness between the two of them.

"Well, we're going to go turn in now." Justin said taking another step toward their room.

"Goodnight guys. Come here and give me a hug Shelby." Joey said motioning to her.

Shelby stepped out of Justin's embrace, causing Justin to miss her warmth, and gave Joey a big hug. She kissed him on the cheek and laughed when he blushed.

"Now who's blushing." Shelby smirked.

"Come back here woman." Justin said with mock jealousy.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." Shelby said. "Goodnight Joey."

Joey watched the two of them go back into their room and wondered about the latest development. He went to his room and shut the door behind him.

"Lance, I think they're together now." Joey said when he sat down.

"Why do you say that?" Lance asked turning over in his bed to face Joey.

"Because they kissed at the park, and they were out on the roof tonight, and Shelby was blushing something feirce." Joey explained what he saw.

"Maybe they are." Lance nodded.

"I'll talk to Shelby tomorrow. She's in my room tomorrow night while we're in Salt Lake CIty." Joey said turning out the light.

"Night Joey."

"Night Lance."

~*~

Back in Justin and Shelby's room

Shelby still wasn't able to sleep, she wasnt in the least bit tired. She was really restless and kept tossing and turning.

Justin got up and slid in the bed next to her. "Come here hon." Justin said pulling her into his arms.

"I'm sorry, I can't sleep." Shelby sighed resting her head in the crook of his arm.

Justin started humming softly in her ear and after a few minutes, he checked and she was sleeping soundly. He softly kissed her cheek and closed his eyes and fell asleep himself.

Chapter 18 by Leeann
July 1, 2002
Salt Lake City, Utah

"So Shelby, we have a few minutes before we have to do anything. I want you to come over here and tell me whats going on with you and Justin." Joey said patting the bed next to him.

Shelby plopped on the bed across from him and situated herself so she was sitting indian style. "What do you want to know?"

"I want to know what's up with you kids. We all saw him kiss you at Disney last night, and I also know that you came from the roof together."

"I really don't know how to answer that Joey, I really don't. He's kissed me yes, and he said he liked kissing me, but he didn't really say much more then that. When I talked to Brad, Brad told me that he didn't seem like the kind of guy to kiss me without feelings behind it, especially after knowing what I've been through." Shelby slightly shrugged, she was more confused then ever. Justin had been really aloof this morning, which kind of hurt.

"Well, Brad was right. I've never seen Justin start anything without there being a reason, or feelings behind it. I think maybe you should talk to him, ask him whats up. Either that or just wait and see what happens. Whichever you do, things will work out; just be patient." Joey assured her.

"Thanks." Shelby nodded.

"So how's Brad?" Joey asked.

"He's good. Monique is still trying to get back with him. Apparently she wasn't taking care of herself and she lost the baby. I'm not a mean person, but she's not fit to be a parent. She's ruthless, she would teach her kids to pick on the other kids who were different, and it just wouldn't be good." Shelby shuddered.

"That bad huh?" Joey chuckled.

"Yeah, I only met her once and talked to her on the phone once, but boy was she a bitch. She got in my face and gave me the whole "fat girl" speech, Brad pretty much told her where to go."

"That Brad sounds like quite the character, I can't wait to meet him."

"Yeah, it'll be nice to see him again. I just hope I don't have to deal with anyone else from there." Shelby sighed.

"We'll keep you safe, don't worry." Joey smiled.

"Thanks."

"We better get going, we have a meet n greet in a half an hour." Joey said looking at the clock.

"Oh fun." Shelby smiled. She liked going to meet n greets, it gave her a chance to watch the guys interact with the fans, and sometimes the fans even came up to her and talked to her.

An hour later, the guys were busy signing autographs and taking pictures while Shelby was working on giving out some passes that Johnny had bestowed upon her. She always had trouble deciding who to give them too.

She'd already given two away to a little kid and her mother, now she was looking down the line trying to figure out who the last two would go to. She saw a girl and what looked like a younger brother standing in line. The girl was on the phone arguing with someone, tears built at the corners of her eyes, she slammed the phone shut and put it away and angrily wiped the tears away. Shelby walked up to them and stopped.

"Are you all right?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. My mother was just being a bitch. She's always on my case about something." the girl sniffed.

"I'm sorry, my foster mom was the same way. I'm Shelby by the way." Shelby smiled offering her hand.

"Amber, and this is my brother Daniel." Amber introduced herself and shook Shelby's hand.

"Nice to meet you, I have these two passes here for the show tonight, are you guys going to be there?" Shelby asked.

"Yeah," Daniel smiled brightly.

"Well, I'd like you to have these." Shelby said handing a pass to each of them.

"Are you serious? This is awesome. I've always wanted to meet Justin." Amber gushed excitedly.

"I'm sure he's been always wanting to meet you." Shelby said stealing a glance at Justin, she blushed and looked away quickly when she saw him wink at her.

"Are you guys together?" Amber asked catching the expression.

"No," Shelby denied, knowing it wasn't all false.

"Man, if he looked at me like that, I think I'd just die." Amber said.

"So Daniel, who's your favorite Nsyncer?" Shelby asked Daniel.

"Lance." he shrugged.

"Do you like Nsync, or is your sister just dragging you out here?" Shelby laughed.

"I like them, I'm just sick of standing in line." Daniel shrugged again.

"Well, you're the next ones up there, then you can go home or wherever it is your going." Shelby smiled. "Well folks, I'll let you have at the guys and maybe I'll see you later at the show tonight."

"Thanks again Shelby." Amber smiled.

"You're welcome." Shelby nodded then went to find browse through the CDs.

Shelby had been browsing the CD's for a while, when somebody slipped their hands around her waist and pulled her close, Shelby nearly fainted when she felt his hot breath on her neck.

"What are you looking for?" Justin asked snaking his arms around her waist.

"Nothing really, I'm just looking." Shelby said turning her head sideways to look at him.

Justin softly kissed her check and rested his chin on her shoulder as she continued to look through the CDs in front of her.

"Are you guys ready to go?" Shelby asked thinking maybe she was holding them up.

"Almost." Justin answered.

"Am I holding everybody up?"

"No, don't worry about it, they'll come get us when they're ready." Justin assured her.

Shelbly relaxed in Justin's arms and inhaled his masculine scent, she listened to the sound of his breathing and she thanked the stars she'd met a wonderful person like him.

"Hey lovebirds, we gotta head." Chris said interrupting her thoughts.

"We're comin." Justin answered without moving.

Shelby stepped away from Justin, moving to his side and started walking towards the front, but was stopped by Justin's hand pulling her arm back toward him. She looked up at him puzzled, but didn't say anything. Justin just stepped closer and put a hand on either side of her face and softly kissed her lips.

He pulled back just as quick as he'd started and smiled tenderly down at her, "I've been wanting to do that all day."

Shelby blushed and buried her face in his chest for a moment, then took her place by his side and they walked hand in hand to the front of the store where they met up with the others.

After they left the store, they headed to the venue for sound check.

Shelby had all her stuff ready to go, so she got to sit in on the soundcheck. Boy were they crazy, any bystander would never think that they were actually getting something accomplished by bouncing around on stage, harassing each other, but this was normal. They were getting the mic's checked and their ear monitors tuned to hear their mix.

"Shelby come up here." Chris stopped on stage right in front of her.

"Why?" Shelby asked.

"Because I said so, now get your butt up here." Chris demanded.

"That's okay." Shelby shook her head.

"Come on Shelby, come on up." Joey stopped next to Chris.

"No thanks."

"Please." Lance added.

"Guys, why do you want me to come up there? I'll be in the way." Shelby said looking down at her hands.

"I thought we were over this shy thing." JC said shaking his head.

Justin didn't say anything, he just chose to Jump down and walk over to Shelby. He grabbed her hand and led her back stage where it would be easier to get onto the stage. He led her onto the stage and turned to her and smiled.

"Now that wasn't so hard was it?"

"Yay, it's Shelby." Chris said jumping up and down.

"Way to be persuasive Justin." Joey laughed.

"So I'm up here, now what?" Shelby looked at them.

"I don't know, we just wanted you to come up here." Chris shrugged.

"Are you serious?" Shelby gaped at him.

"Yup."

"Well, I'm going to go sit down." Shelby said moving to jump off the stage.

Justin grabbed her by the waist and stopped her. "You're not going anywhere."

Shelby stopped and looked at him, no power in the world could make her go anywhere when he gave her that look. "Sure." she shrugged.

"Here, sit, and we'll sing to you." JC said patting a stool he'd grabbed and set in the middle of the stage.

"Guys," Shelby said not wanting to be the center of attention.

"We need to rehearse, so sit and we'll rehearse." Justin said leading her towards the chair.

Shelby sat on the stool and looked around at the five guys around her and blushed, she wasn't used to being the center of attention. She heard the music start playin and recognized the song, she hadn't heard it all that often, but it was a beautiful song.

I just don't understand
Why you're running from a good man baby
Why you wanna turn your back on love
Why you've already given up
See I know you've been hurt before
But I swear I'll give you so much more
I swear I'll never let you down
Cause I swear it's you that I adore
And I can't help myself babe
Cause I think about you constantly
and my heart gets no rest over you

Shelby saw nothing but Justin when he sang the first verse right to her, she didn't blink, she didn't move. She had to remind herself to breathe. She felt the words down to her soul, she switched her eyes to the other guys as the chorus started.

You can call me selfish
But all I want is your love
You can call me hopeless (hopeless)
Cause I'm hopelessly in love
You can call me unperfect
But who's perfect?
Tell me what do I gotta do
To prove that I'm the only one for you
What's wrong with being selfish?

Justin did feel the words, he was singing them to her, he loved her more than life itself and would do anything for her.

I'll be taking up your time
Until the day I make you realize
That for your there could be no one else
I just gotta have you for myself
Baby I would take good care of you
No matter what it is you're going through
I'll be there for you when you're in need
Baby believe in me
If love was a crime
Then punish me
I would die for you
Cause I don't want to live without you
Oh what can I do?

You can call me selfish
But all I want is your love
You can call me hopeless (hopeless)
Cause I'm hopelessly in love
You can call me unperfect
But who's perfect?
Tell me what do I gotta do
To prove that I'm the only one for you

Why do you keep us apart
Why won't you give up your heart
You know that we're meant to be together
Why do you push me away
All that I want is to give you love
Forever and ever and ever and ever

Shelby did have tears in her eyes as Justin sang about keeping them apart, if she knew he felt the same way, she'd give him her heart in a heartbeat. She loved him with all of her heart, and it was only a matter of time before it was out in the open.

You can call me selfish
But all I want is your love
You can call me hopeless (hopeless)
Because I'm hopelessly in love
You can call me unperfect
But who's perfect?
Tell me what do I gotta do
To prove that I'm the only one for you

Selfishly I'm in love with you
Cause I've searched my soul
and know that it's you
Selfishly I'm in love with you
Cause I've searched my soul
and know that it's you
Selfishly I'm in love with you
Cause I've searched my soul
and know that it's you..

To prove that I'm the only one for you
So what's wrong with being selfish, selfish, selfish, selfish...
So what's wrong with being selfish...

The song ended and Shelby inhaled deeply, "That was so beautiful you guys."

"Thank you." they answered.

Justin met Shelby's stare and couldn't stop himself from kissing her right there in front of all the guys. He leaned in and pressed his lips against hers and when she made a small noise, he deepend the pressure. Shelby moved to put her arms around his neck and kissed him back, she loved the way his lips felt against hers, he was skilful and she felt so safe in his arms.

"Um guys," Chris said coughing.

"GUYS." JC yelled.

Justin jumped back and glared at JC, then realized that he'd just kissed Shelby in front of everyone.

"Sorry." he grinned sheepishly.

"You're lucky there weren't any press in here." Lance reminded him.

"Yeah, yeah." Justin scowled at him.

"We're done here, we're going to leave you two, and you're going to talk -- in our dressing room." Joey said to the two of them.

"Thanks Joey." Justin said.

Justin grabbed Shelby by the hand and led her to their dressing room where he shut the door and locked it, giving them plenty of privacy.

"He was definitely right, we need to talk." Justin said moving to the couch that was against one wall. "Come here, sweetie."

Shelby went to sit next to Justin on the couch and turned to face him, one leg under her on the couch. "You're so beautiful." she blurted.

"Thank you." Justin chuckled. "We need to talk about us."

Shelby looked away and didn't know what to say, she'd never done anything like this before. She was quiet a few minutes before answering. "Yeah".

"I just want to again apologize for every hurtful word I ever said to you Shelby, if I had a time machine, I'd go back to that time and take bakc every nasty word I said toward you. My feelings have totally changed for you. I feel a burning need to protect you, to keep you safe, to keep you happy. Every day I'm with you that aching grows stronger and more intense. I've never met such a caring, sweet, unheartless person in my life. You really break the mold Shelby. You gave me a chance after everything I did to you, you still consider me your friend after all the hurtful words I threw at you. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for that Shelby, for caring."

Shelby looked at him with unshed tears. What did this mean? Did this mean that he had feelings for her, or that he was her friend. She didn't know, she couldn't tell. She seached his eyes and saw nothing but love, a look of love that peirced her soul.

"I forgave you for that a long time ago Justin. You're my knight in shining armor, you're my hero. I don't know what I'd do without you. You've made me feel like a princess, made me feel cherished, and important. Nobody has ever given me that before, and to have it from the man I love, well it's just unbelievable. I'd never thought months ago that I could feel this way." Shelby sighed, she was speaking from her heart, not paying attention to what she was saying.

'The man I love. The man I love.' She loves me, she said she loves me. I can't believe it, after everything, she loves me.

Justin did the first thing that came to his mind, he leaned over and kissed her passionatly. It was an earth shaking kiss for both of them. Justin felt like he couldn't get enough of her as he kissed her.

Shelby felt her whole body tingling and she was floating on a cloud. She shyly parted her lips when she felt Justin's tongue lightly graze her lips, he was kissing her thoughly and she was loving it. They kissed for several more minutes before Justin slowly backed away and opened his eyes.

"I'm in love with you Shelby."

Chapter 19 by Leeann

Shelby didn't know what to think, let alone what to say. Was it just her imagination, or did he really just say those words, the words that she'd been waiting so long to hear. In her life, she'd rarely heard those words spoken to her, and right now all she could do was stare at him, seeing the love radiating from his crystal blue eyes.

"Now would be the time to say something sweetie." Justin said feeling his heart out on the line.

"You can't possibly love me, nobody ever loves me." Shelby blurted the first words that came to mind.

Justin took a step towards her and gently framed her face with one of his hands and smiled in her eyes, "Oh Shelby, that is so untrue, I love you so much--" he grabbed her hand and placed it over his heart, "so much that my heart races just thinking of you. I love you, and ever since we started hanging out more I have this overwhelming need to protect you, and keep you safe. You're a beautiful creature Shelby, one worth cherising forever. I can't imagine how anybody could ever see anything different."

Shelby smiled with unshed tears and leaned her cheek into his touch. "I love you too Justin. I've never felt this way in my life, like I said a few minutes ago, you make me feel cherished, like I'm the only girl in the world."

Justin didn't reply, he just softly pressed his lips upon Shelby's and they shared their first kiss as a couple in love. Just as they were deepening the kiss, a knock sounded on the door.

Justin groaned and pulled back before placing one more kiss on Shelby's lips, then went to answer the door.

"What do you--" Justin's jaw dropped at who he saw on the other side of the door.

"Can I come in?" she asked.

"What are you doing here?" Justin asked, not answering her question while still blocking the door.

"We need to talk."

"Britney, I have nothing to say to you." Justin sighed.

"We have to talk, Justin. This isn't healthy for us." Britney said pushing past him into the room.

Shelby saw the gorgeous popstar walk into the room and wanted to shrink into the floor, she didn't see the look on Justin's face, all she could see was Britney.

"Who are you?" Britney asked looking her up and down.

Shelby rolled her eyes and waited for the snide remarks about her weight or something along those lines, but Justin stepped instead.

"She's none of your concern, say whatever it is you need to say and get out of here." Justin demanded turning towards her.

"Can't we have privacy?" Britney asked looking between Shelby and Justin.

"Whatever you need to say, you can say in front of her. I'm going to tell her anyway." Justin said crossing his arms in defense.

"I wanted to come here to say I'm sorry and I want to try and work things out." Britney moving to stand in front of him.

Justin stood there staring at the woman he thought he'd one day marry, then glanced over at Shelby and his heart practically broke. She was trying her best not to start crying, and she looked so lost standing there staring at the floor. He looked back at Britney and huffed.

"Are you finished?" he asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean are you finished, because if you are, please leave." Justin pointed to the door.

"You didn't answer me." Britney whined.

"This is my answer." Justin said still pointing to the door.

"I thought you still loved me." Britney pouted.

Justin was only paying half attention to Britney, but his full focus was on Shelby who was watching them.

"Well Britney, you know what they say, 'thats what you get for doing your own thinking'."

Britney looked at Justin who was staring at Shelby who was clearly staring back. It took her a few moments, but she finally put two and two together. "Are you telling that you're choosing her over me? Have you looked at her recently Justin?"

Justin was about to step in and say something, but Shelby had heard enough.

"Who do you think you are?" She said getting in Britney's face. "You don't know me, so don't even start judging me, yeah I may be a bigger girl, but at least I'm real. Which is much more than I can say for you." Shelby said looking her up and down. "That 'little miss I'm Britney Spears, I have a right to dress like a hoe and pretend I'm not even though everyone knows I am' act died a long time to go. Time to bury it sweetie."

Britney just stared at her and couldn't believe it. This bitch had just insulted her and she couldn't think of anything to say. Oh she would get what was coming to her, damn right she would. If she couldn't have Justin, then neither would this little miss thang who had her claws in him.

"I believe Justin just asked you to leave." She said stepping closer.

"I'm going. You know where to find me Stinky." Britney said running a perfectly manicured finger across his chest before leaving.

"I don't think so Brit, have a nice life." Justin said slamming the door behind her.

Justin stared at Shelby for a few minutes and opened his mouth to say something, when a knock sounded at the door again.

"What do you want now?" he swung open the door.

"Woah. Chill, we just saw Britney coming from this direction and we wanted to make sure you are okay." Lance said speaking for the rest of the guys who were behind him.

"I'm fine, come in if you want." Justin said moving aside, allowing them access to the doorway.

"Shelby, you were in here when Britney was in here?" Joey said upon seeing Shelby.

"Yeah." Shelby nodded.

"Wow. How'd that go?" JC asked.

Shelby just shrugged, but Justin, being proud of her, came over and wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

"She basically told Britney where to go." Justin smiled.

The other four guys looked at Shelby and smiled.

"What did you say to her?" Joey asked curiously.

"I--"

"She told her, and I quote, 'That 'little miss I'm Britney Spears, I have a right to dress like a hoe and pretend I'm not even though everyone knows I am' act died a long time to go.' Britney was so flustered, she had no come back. Then our little Shelby here showed her the door, it was really a sight to see. I'm so proud of her." Justin said placing a kiss on her head as he brought her close.

"You've come such a long way since the shy, hurting girl first came on tour with us. You've been here for over a month and you're blossoming just beautifully. We're so proud of you Shelby." JC smiled speaking for the group.

"Thank you," Shelby blushed. "You guys have helped me a lot. I feel so much better. I've had a lot of revelations about myself. Before I came on tour with you guys, I hated myself, but you guys and this tour gave me a place to grow. I could grow without having to worry about being made fun of because I knew that was something you wouldn't do. I can even stick up for myself now. I can never thank you enough."

The guys surrounded Justin and Shelby and they all shared a group hug around the girl. They remained that way for several moments before breaking apart.

"We're always here for you Shelby. Susie called this morning to see how everything was going and we let her know that it would be okay if you left at any time. She's going to be coming in a few days to do an evaluation and see for herself." JC explained.

"Sounds like fun." Shelby shrugged.

"So I'm dying to know what's between you two." Joey asked nodding to Justin and Shelby.

Shelby felt her face grow warm and she knew her face had to be red.

Justin smiled tenderly at Shelby's blushing face and answered for them, "We're in love".

"Well it's about time you two figured it out. We thought we'd have to lock you in a room together and leave you there over night or something." Chris answered.

"Be glad you didn't." Shelby warned.

"Was that a threat?" Chris challenged.

"Ladies, ladies. We have to go get ready for the show now." JC said causing everyone to groan.

"You're going to sit up in the VIP section, right Shelby?" Justin turned to look at her.

"I have to do wardrobe remember?" Shelby replied losing herself in his eyes.

"You don't have to do it. We can get the other girls to do it for you." Justin said smilling in her eyes.

Shelby knew she could never say no to that face, to those gorgeous eyes. "Okay," she whispered with a nod.

"Come on." Justin grabbed her hand and led her out to the main area.

Shelby sat down on the couch and waited for them to get into their first costume and get hair and makeup done. She smiled when she remembered her conversation with Brad.

"Justin kissed me." Shelby blurted.

"What? Wow." Brad breathed.

"Yeah." Shelby nodded feeling tears burning at the back of her throat.

"So are you guys together now?" Brad asked, almost feeling jealous.

"I don't know. He hasn't talked to me since it happened." Shelby sniffled.

"Shelby baby don't cry. You know I hate it when I can't be there to give you a hug." Brad said inhaling deeply.

"I'm sorry." Shelby said as she started to cry harder.

"You're in love with him aren't you?" Brad asked knowingly.

Shelby didn't reply for a few minutes, but when she finally found her voice she couldn't stop from telling him the truth. "Yeah."

"I thought so." Brad sighed again.

"I didn't mean to."

"I know you didn't, but let me tell you something Shelby. I think it's safe to say Justin isn't one of those guys who would just kiss and not feel anything behind it. Especially with you, since he knows everything that you've been through." Brad assured her.

"Thanks Brad, I needed to hear that." Shelby sniffed and dried her tears.

"Anything for you sweetie."

Oh how right he was, she couldn't help but smile when she realized she'd be seeing him in two short days.

What was going to happen when Shelby went back to Minot, would she see Alice, and if she did what would she say. She was excited to see Brad, but she was really nervous to face her old life. She knew that ultimately this would only help her grow stronger and she could, WOULD get through it.

She wondered where Nancy was, wondered how she was doing. Her phone interrupted her thoughts, ringing loudly.

"Hello?"

"Shelby?" the voice answered.

"Aimee?" Shelby questioned.

"That's me. How are you?" Aimee asked.

"I'm good, how are you doing."

"Not too bad, I'll be joining you guys soon. Can't wait to see Lance. Everyone else of course too, but Lance in particular. Anyway, how are things going with you and Justin?"

"He loves me," Shelby sighed blissfully.

"WHAT? He told you that?" Aimee shouted.

"Yeah, about an hour ago. And I love him, and I guess we're together now." Shelby answered.

"Well hot damn, it's about time. I'm so happy for you Shelby. If I was there, I'd give you a hug. I'll save it for when I see you though."

"Yeah. I'm going to be seeing Brad in two days. We're stopping in Minot."

"Wow. Are you nervous?"

"Not to see Brad, but I'm nervous to see anybody else. But I won't let it get to me, I haven't fought this hard to get my life back in order to let anybody push me down and ruin everything for me." Shelby answered with fight in her voice.

"Damn girl, I think you're cured." Aimee was taken aback by the strength in Shelby's voice.

"Susie's coming in a few days, I think after our North Dakota stop, to see my progress, maybe she'll tell me I'm done. I hope sok, but at the same time, I don't want to leave Justin."

"Yeah, I understand. Well, I've got to be goin, I told Lance I'd give him a call before they went on tonight and its gettin close. Take care of yourself, and I'll see you in a few days."

"Bye."

Shelby hung up the phone and smiled. Her friend was going to be joining the tour, and then she wouldn't be the only girl.

"Who you talking too baby?" Justin asked sitting down next to her on the couch.

"Aimee, she's coming in a few days." Shelby answered leaning in to him.

"Lance was saying something about that. That's probly who called him when i came out here." Justin said putting his arm around her shoulders.

Shelby moved closer to him and rested her head on his shoulder and inhaled his masculine smell. She thought she could stay here forever, but Joey had other thoughts.

Joey came over with his camera and took a picture of the two, Justin shot him an annoyed look and ignored him.

"Hey Joey. Did your camera break?" Shelby asked.

"No, not yet, sorry to disappoint you." Joey smirked.

"Come on guys, it's time to get our mic's on and take our places, Shelby, if you're going to go to VIP, you may want to do that now. The crowd is rowdy tonight." JC announced to them.

Justin led Shelby to Mike who was going to take her to the VIP box, they stopped a few feet away from Mike and turned to each other.

"Have fun," Justin said hugging her tightly.

"And you, break a leg. Not literally of course. I love you Justin." Shelby said pressing a soft kiss on his lips.

"I love you too sweetie, I'll see you after the show." Justin left Shelby with Mike and went back to where the others were waiting for him.

"M'lady." Mike said holding out his arm.

"Thank you kind sir." Shelby said curtseying and took his arm.

"Just for the record, I think you and Justin make a very good couple."

Shelby stopped and looked at Mike, "Thank you," she stood on tiptoes and pecked him on the cheek and smiled.

"Yeah." he said gruffly leading her into the VIP box.

Shelby looked around, there were several girls already in there giving her a weird look. Shelby nodded and smiled, "Hey."

"Hi." they muttered.

They were clearly curious as to who she was after Mike had been so friendly with her. They just kept their distance from her and turned their attention back to the stage.

The concert started and the guys came out and performed a heck of a show. During Gud Must Have Spent, Justin sang the all of his lines to Shelby who was smiling, tears in her eyes. All of the other girls in there thought they were singing too them, until Justin mouthed what looked like 'I love you'. They were too busy watching Justin to see Shelby mouth the same thing back.

Shelby was on cloud nine the rest of the night, and didn't care that the girls had started bad talking her. It wasn't until the concert ended that she realized they were all glaring at her. She looked at them raised her eyebrows.

"What?"

"You can't have him, he's mine." one of the girls answered.

"Have who?" Shelby asked playing dumb.

"You know who I'm talking about, Justin." she rolled her eyes.

"Have you even met him?" Shelby questioned.

"Not yet."

"Then how can he be yours if you haven't met him yet."

"You think you're funny? Well I have news for you honey, you're not."

"Excuse me ladies, I have to go." Shelby said when she spotted Justin backstage.

The girls went to follow her, but was stopped by Mike who stood in front of them.

"Sorry ladies, backstage is closed." Mike said.

"How come you let her go back?" they asked looking at Shelby who was waving at them a few feet away.

"Because she has permission." Mike answered.

"From who?"

"Her boyfriend I presume." Mike shrugged, knowing the conversation they'd had with Shelby before they left.

They looked back in time to see Justin walk over to Shelby.

"Hey sweetie," he greeted with a soft kiss.

"Hey, you guys had an awesome show." She said hugging him.

"Thank you," Justin smiled.

"Come here, theres some girls I want you to meet." Shelby smiled, knowing they were still talking to Mike.

"Okay." Justin said grabbing her hand.

Shelby led them over to where the three girls were still trying to bribe Mike to let them back. They shut up the moment Justin came on the scene.

"Hello ladies, I'm not sure if you've met Justin." Shelby introduced them.

"Hey Justin, I'm Bridget," the ringleader of the three introduced herself.

"Hi, nice to meet you." Justin shook her hand politely.

The other two introduced themselves as well and they stood there staring at Justin before Bridget spoke up.

"We were wondering, do you have a girlfriend?" Bridget asked tossing her hair flirtaciously.

"Well, how about I not answer that question as its very personal and you can continue to wonder. Now if you'll excuse me." Justin nodded politely and led Shelby away from the group.

After they were out of earshot, he asked her about them. "What was that about?"

"Just some fans that thought you were too good for me, they were in the VIP saw the I love you. I just wanted to antagonize them." Shelby shrugged.

Justin just smiled at her and made his way to the dressing room to gather his things. They were all at the hotel an hour later and showered and they all talked for a while before going to bed.

Chapter 20 by Leeann

July 3, 2002
Outside of Minot, ND

"Are you nervous?" Justin asked Shelby when they were about an hour west of Minot.

"I'm mostly excited to see Brad, but at the same time, I am nervous. I don't want to see anyone else." Shelby shrugged.

"Well, you'll do just fine." Justin assured her.

"Thank you."

"Does he know we're coming?"

"His boss does, he's told Brad they're closing the place down for cleaning and that Brad's in charge." Shelby smirked.

Brad hated cleaning. He usually made Shelby do all the cleaning, and if she wasn't there, he'd still have someone else doing it for him.

"Did he actually buy that ? Closing down in the morning for cleaning when they could do it at night?"

"Yeah, they usually do they're cleaning around that time."

"Does he know about us?" Justin asked.

Shelby just blushed and shook her head. "I told him you kissed me, but I haven't talked to him since then."

"Have I told you today that I love you?" Justin said planting a soft kiss on her lips.

"I love you too." Shelby sighed and leaned into his embrace.

She was in heaven. She had a boyfriend who loved her and cherished above all else, she had friends, she had a life. For the first time since her mother died, she was truly happy.

"Oh, don't forget, Susie is joining us in Fargo." Justin reminded her.

"I know."

"Maybe, she'll say you're all cured."

"Maybe." Shelby swallowed thickly.

"What's the matter with that honey? Don't you want be cured?" Justin asked.

"I do, but it's not that."

"What is it then?"

"If I'm cured, that means I have to leave, and I don't to leave you when I just found you." Shelby spilled her fears and Justin opened his eyes widely.

"You wouldn't have to leave Shelby, you're my girlfriend, you have every right to be here and stay with us. Granted, some things would change, but you could still come with me."

"Really? They wouldn't just kick me off?" Shelby looked him in the eye.

"Of course not. Is that what's been bothering you these past two days? I thought you were just worried about going back home."

"I'm sorry," Shelby looked away feeling guilty for bothering him.

"Don't be sorry sweetheart, just be honest with me. If anythings ever bothering you, please come to me. I'll always be here for you Shelby, no matter what."

Shelby gazed into his eyes and again found nothing but tender honest truth. She placed her hand on his cheek and gently pressed her lips to his and kissed him softly.

Justin was shocked, Shelby wasn't usually the one who iniated a kiss. He let her continue to set the pace and kissed her back.

Shelby was feeling brave as she deepened the kiss, she had butterflies in her tummy when Justin was meeting her halfway.

"Hey, get a room." Chris said coming in the back area where they were sitting.

Shelby pulled away and blushed brightly.

"You're just jealous." Justin announced.

"Jealous of what?" Chris asked intrigued by the conversation.

"That you don't have a girlfriend." Justin said the first thing that came to his mind.

"Okay Justin, whatever you say." Chris shook his head.

"We'll be there in about ten minutes." Shelby said looking out the window recognizing all the signs.

"The drivers know where to go right?" JC asked sitting down next to Shelby on her other side.

"Yeah, I gave them the address." Shelby nodded.

Shelby was starting to get nervous. What was Brad going to say when he saw her? What would she do if some of her old enemies were there? What was going to happen if she saw Alice? All of thse questions kept plaguing her and had been for the past 2 days. She knew she could, no would, be strong and wouldn't let anybody bait her into anything, but she was still nervous.

The minutes flew by and before she knew it, Shelby was sitting in the Denny's parking lot. She stepped out of the bus and led the way into the building. Steven, the morning manager said he'd leave the door unlocked and she could just walk in. She had let them know that they'd be having at least twenty five people eating so he was prepared, he just hadn't told Brad what was going on and had instructed the other staff to play along.

Shelby walked inside and felt strange being back here. It'd been over a month since she'd left, and then she thought she'd never be back, but here she was.

"We're closed for cleaning." Brad shouted from the back.

"No you're not, you're closed for a party." Shelby hollered.

Brad came out and saw Shelby standing there with Justin and the rest of Nsync, and behind them, all their bodyguards and wardrobe people. The rest of the crew traveled ahead to set everything up.

"Oh my, what are you doing here?" Brad asked after his initial shock.

"Surprise?" Shelby laughed.

"Come here you." Brad walked over to her and engulfed her in a huge hug. "Damn I missed you."

"I missed you too Brad." Shelby said pulling back slightly and looked into his eyes.

They stared at each other just soaking in each others presence for a few minutes before they heard someone clearing their throat behind them.

Shelby turned around and blushed, she'd momentarily forgotten about Justin and the other guys. She walked back to where Justin was standing and grabbed his hand and led him to Brad.

"Brad, this is my boyfriend Justin, Justin this is my best friend Brad." Shelby introduced her two favorite people to each other.

Justin and Brad shook hands and seemed to stare each other down.

Brad knew about what Justin had done to Shelby right away, but as he stared in his eyes, Brad knew he had nothing to worry about. Justin loved Shelby very much.

"Thanks for being there for Shelby." Brad said as a way of approving of their relationship.

"Thank you, I love her very much." Justin said putting an arm around Shelby's waist bringing her closer.

"What are we chopped liver?" Chris asked coming over.

"Yes." Shelby said without blinking.

"Thanks Padime, you don't know how much that hurts me." Chris said placing his hand over his heart.

"What? You didn't sense a disturbance in the force Anni telling you that I was going to say that? What kind of chosen one are you?" Shelby shook her head.

"No love." Chris huffed.

"Brad this is Chris, Chris this is Brad." Shelby introduced him as well as the other members of Nsync.

"You guys sit down and we'll get you some menu's," Brad said after all the introductions had been made.

Shelby didn't go sit down with others, the part of her that missed working at Denny's went behind the counter and grabbed an apron and some menu's.

"What do you think you're doing?" Brad asked seeing her with the apron on.

"Helping you." Shelby said with a look that read 'what-does-it-look-like-Im-doing.'

"You realize you don't work here any more right?" Brad teased her.

"I know, but part of me misses it, so bite me." Shelby said falling into her old routine.

"Alright, why don't you take the usual tables," Brad said knowing she'd made up her mind.

"Alright boss," she winked at him then went over to her first table which was of course NSyncs table.

Shelby set the menu's down in front of them and grabbed her order book. "Can I get you guys anything to drink?"

"What are you doing?" Justin asked with laughter in his voice.

"Asking what kind of drinks you want." Shelby answered.

"Okay then," Justin nodded.

The guys ordered their drinks and Shelby went on to the next table and got their drink orders. The only two tables that were actually in her "section" as there were others and technically she wasnt really working.

"Hey waitress, wheres my drink?" Joey called out after five minutes she'd went back to the kitchen.

Shelby just shook her head and chuckled. She'd just finished the drinks and put them all on a big round tray and carried them first to NSyncs table then to the other table which held the girls she'd done wardrobe with.

She set down their drinks, took their orders, then brought them back to the kitchen. Shelby went back over to NSync's table and tried to pull up another chair when Justin stopped her.

"What are you -- "

Justin cut her off by pulling her down onto his lap and put his arms around her keeping her there. Shelby leaned back against Justin and listened to all of the conversation going on around her.

It wasn't very long before all their food was done and Brad had joined their table making it a little more crowded, but Justin still insisted that Shelby sit on his lap.

"So Brad, tell us, how long have you worked here at Denny's?" JC asked making conversation.

"About five years. It's helping put me through college." Brad answered.

"Sounds like fun." Lance said.

"It's not all that bad. The pay sucks as a waitress as you only make 3.15 an hour and then you have to rely on tips for the rest. But when I became supervisor, my pay rate went to six bucks an hour. SO that definatly helps." Brad explained.

"Sometimes I wish I had a regular job. I really love what we do, but sometimes I wish I was just a regular guy." Justin sighed longingly.

"It's not all that great." Brad shrugged. "You get to travel the world and see everything you want to see, you get to do what you love as your job. What can be better then that."

"We can go to all these places, and do what we love, but theres no privacy and no time to ourselves. Wherever we go, we have to have security with us, I can't even go wo the mall without a disguise. That is why I wish I was normal." Justin shrugged.

Shelby patted his leg sympathically and caught his attention and gave him an encouraging smile.

"Sorry man." Brad said akwardly.

"Hey, it's not your fault." Justin smiled.

They moved onto things less depressing as they finished up their meal. To Shelby's dismay, they had to leave soon.

"Anytime you want, you can join us on tour." Justin offered as they stood ready to board the buses and get moving.

When you love someone so deeply
They become your life
It's easy to succumb to overwhelming fears inside
Blindly I imaged I could
Keep you under glass
Now I understand to hold you
I must open my hands
And watch you rise

"Thanks, I might just have to take you up on that." Brad nodded shaking his outstretched hand.

"It was nice meeting you, Brad." Justin shook his hand.

"You too, take care of her." Brad said with almost a threatening tone.

"You can count on that."

Spread your wings and prepare to fly
For you have become a butterfly
Fly abandonedly into the sun
If you should return to me
We truly were meant to be
So spread your wings and fly
Butterfly

"Come here, you." Shelby said pulling Brad into a hug.

"I'm going to miss you sweetie." Brad whispered.

"Me too," Shelby answered hugging him tightly.

"If he treats you bad, you talk to me, I'll beat his ass."

I have learned that beauty
Has to flourish in the light
Wild horses run unbridled
Or their spirit dies
You have given me the courage
To be all that I can
And truly feel your heart will
Lead you back to me when you're
Ready to land

"You'll have to get past the bodyguards first." Shelby chuckled.

"You better get going." Brad said pulling back.

"I love you, Brad." Shelby whispered.

Spread your wings and prepare to fly
For you have become a butterfly
Fly abandonedly into the sun
If you should return to me
We truly were meant to be
So spread your wings and fly
Butterfly

"I love you too, now get a goin." Brad pointed to the bus.

I can't pretend these tears
Aren't overflowing steadily
I can't prevent this hurt from
Almost overtaking me
But I will stand and say goodbye
For you'll never be mine
Until you know the way it feels to fly

"Take care." Shelby said before boarding the bus.

Shelby looked out the window at what used to be her life. She'd changed so much in the month and a half that she'd been away from this place. She'd grown, sure she was still human and she still had feelings that could be hurt, but it wasn't like she was going to go kill herself because of it.

Spread your wings and prepare to fly
For you have become a butterfly
Fly abandonedly into the sun
If you should return to me
We truly were meant to be
So spread your wings and fly
Butterfly

Brad looked at Shelby through the bus window and felt his heart soaring. He loved her so much, not the type of love that a lover would have, but the type of love that he would feel toward a sister. She'd grown so much since she'd left. She'd become a butterfly.

So flutter through the sky
Butterfly
Spread your wings and fly
Butterfly

(Song Butterfly by Mariah Carey)

Chapter 21 by Leeann

July 3, 2002
Fargo, ND

Shelby was really nervous to meet with Susie as she sat backstage moments before the concert. Susie's flight had come in late, so they had to send someone to pick her up at the airport. She wanted to evaluate Shelby's progress and talk to the other guys about her. Knowing she had no reason to be nervous, Shelby took in a deep breath and slowly let it out.

Her thoughts turned to her trip to Minot and Brad. She didn't know why she had been so nervous. Everything had went perfectly, Brad and Justin had gotten along good and she hadn't seen anybody she'd known in school.

"Hey Shelby, are you going to watch the concert?" a voice interrupted her from behind.

Shelby turned around and saw Mike standing there.

"I don't think so Mike, I think I"m going to go on the bus and sleep, I'm not feel the greatest." Shelby answered.

"Alright, I'll escort you out there." Mike offered.

"No, that's okay, I'll be fine." Shelby shook her head.

"All right, shall I send Susie to the bus when she gets here?"

"No, we're meeting after the show at the hotel."

"Okay, well have fun then." Mike said before walkin away.

Shelby slowly made her way back to the bus and grabbed her backpack and went to the back. This was the first time in a long time, at least since she'd joined Nsync on they're bus, that she'd gotten to be completely alone. She took out her discman and put in The Used and turned it to the beginning and started to read.

The cup is not half empty as pessimists say
As far as he's sees, nothing's left in the cup
A whole cup full of nothing for him to indulge
Since the voice of ambition has long since been shut up

Tuesday, May 21, 2002

Today was the worst day of my life, we had Marcr17;s funeral this morning. I felt everyoner17;s eyes on me, condoning me. I could just hear the comments, there goes that fat girl. Ir17;m sick of fat. Nobody likes me, I have no friends, sometimes Ir17;m pretty sure no one would miss me if I was gone.

Itr17;s not fair, some people have everything and I get nothing. I am so fed up with my life. Only 5 more days until Ir17;m out of here forever.

Wow-Marc left me a really nice car and $5,000. I have the money in a safe place and the car is at their house until I leave on Sunday.

Brad slapped me at work. I was so mad and sad that I kind of told him off then left. I donr17;t think I told you that I got the Orlando apartment and then Ir17;ll be out of here. Ir17;ll never come back-not ever. Got to go the dragon is calling.

Shelby flipped to the next page and continued to read, still listening to Poetic Tragedy.

A singer, a writer, he's not dreaming now of going nowhere
He gave heed to nothing, and all that he was....
Is just a tragedy

May 22, 2002

Itr17;s me again. Why do I even bother? This world is so morbid, this utopia Ir17;ve imagined in my mind seems to be nonexistent. I sit here and listen to Last Day on Earth and realize this very well could be my last day on earth. What if even God doesnr17;t like me? He could strike me dead at any time. Put me out of my misery.

I heard a song once, r16;Why have you forsaken me, in my eyes forsaken you, in my life forsaken mer17; have I been forsaken? Did I commit some cardinal sin that Ir17;m now paying for? I trusted Brad, I thought he was really nice. He just used me, have I been forsaken? My mom left me when I was 10. Maybe that man who was my step father made me sin. What is sin really? I donr17;t know God Ir17;ve never been given a chance. Mom used to be such a wonderful woman. Sher17;s my angel sher17;s in heaven watching over me.

Hi mom. Ir17;m sorry for being a failure. I have to go, my song is skipping and I have to sleep 4 more days. Please mom, if your17;re out there, I pray send me a miracler12;before itr17;s too late.

Shelby sighed and remembered it like yesterday. She flipped a few pages ahead and went on to read.

So he voyages in circles
Succeeds getting nowhere
And submits to the substance
That first got him there

June 3, 2002

Just when I thought things were going to get better here in Orlando. I guess people everywhere are the same, rude and inconsiderate of others. I hate my life, sometimes I wish I could just die. I don't want to die, I just want to be normal. I don't even know what normal is, I want to be liked, to be loved, to have a friend, to be accepted.

I have a job here, I think I'll go in tomorrow and see if I can start. I met this guy named Justin, he is such a fucking jerk. He thinks the world revolves around him and that everyone should bow down to him and worship his feet. He's the worst, none of the people in Minot were this bad. This is a complete stranger who doesn't even know me and yet he's judging me.

There is one girl who I'm going to be working with who doesn't seem to be so bad, her name is Aimee. She's nice so far, she helped me find Walmart when I got lost, she might be a friend.

Then in violent, frustration, he cries out to God or just no one
Is there a point to this madness and all that he was....
Is just a tragedy

June 4, 2002

I had to go to the hospital today. Some damn panic attack. Justin made it happen, I can't stand being around him. He makes me sick, and not just in the mocking 'oh he makes me sick' kind of way, he really does. When I see him, I get sick to my stomach. Guess that's why I had a panic attack.

Freaking doctor asked a million questions about the scars on my arms. I didn't answer him, it's none of his business. I'm sure he figured it out anyway, thinks he's enstein or something.

Joey seems to actually care about me, he drove me to the hospital, and then he drove me home AND he helped me bring all my boxes up from the car. Did I mention how filthy this place was. Anyway, gotta go, gotta get up early for a day by myself tomorrow.

Shelby by sheer will kept on reading, knowing what was coming up.

He feels alone
His heart in his hand
He's alone
He feels alone
I feel....

June 6, 2002

I had make yet another trip to the hospital yesterday, only this time it was worse. I flipped. I let Justin's words get to me and I went home and I cut myself pretty bad. I gotta watch what I do. I can't afford to go back to the hospital. I won't let him affect me any more. Right now I'm sitting at this rehearsal thing with Joey and his friends, and of course Justin is here, bastard thinks he needs to be everywhere I am. Whatever. They're not bad, not really my thing, but they're good.

Shelby almost puked when she saw the next entry. She knew exactly which one it was and what had happened.

Then on that last day he breaks
And he stood tall
And he yelled... and he takes his life

June 7, 2002

I tried to commit suicide, I almost died. I can't bare to say that. I almost died. DIED. That would have been the end of my life, I don't want to die. I want to live. I broke down. Justin was nice to me for a while, but then he was an ass in front of everyone and I couldn't take it any more. I slit my wrists and cut everywhere else I could possibly get. Thankfully Aimee found me and rushed me to the hospital.

I've never been so scared, I've had a lot of time to think about my life. I'm going to be doing this new therapy group thing where I go with some celebrity or something and talk about my problems. I'm not looking forward to that, but I do want to be cured. I don't want to continue to live like this.

Shelby closed her eyes and was lost in the rest of the song as the old emotions and scars washed over her and ran out of her body through her tears.

Then in violent, frustration, he cries out to God or just no one
Is there a point to this madness and all that he was....
Is just a tragedy

(Poetic Traged, The Used)

Taking a few deep breaths after letting all her emotions out, Shelby flipped the pages until she got to her latest entry, which she took a moment to close her eyes and exhale deeply. She turned the CD to number one and started to read.

As we trudge along through the mud
And we tried to call it home
But we weren't alright, not at all
Not for one for one for one second

June 15, 2002

I don't know how I can handle these feelings any more. The more I'm around Justin, the more I feel myself falling. I can't stop myself, I've tried desperatly hard not to allow myself to feel anything other than friendship, but he's so sweet. He's like my knight in shining armor these days, he's my Hero.

The other girls in the wardrobe department finally started being nice to me. I can't believe I snapped the way I did. I'm glad I did, because that shows I'm improving, but at the same time, I think it could have been handled a little more delicately. Gotta go.

Never have been one to write it down
Now I think I can
I know I'm stronger now
Who's looking south
Not me I'm not looking back
I'm done denying the truth to anyone
Cause I'm alive

As we trudge along through the mud
And we tried to call it home
But we weren't alright, not at all
Not for one for one for one second

Shelby grabbed her pen and started writing.

July 3, 2002

I'm in love. I'm someones girlfriend. I never thought I'd say that in my wildest dreams. I, Shelby Murphy, have a boyfriend. He's the sweetest, most amazing, passionate man I've ever met. If you would have told me when I first came to Orlando that in less than two months I'd have a boyfriend, I'd have laughed in your face. Especially if you told me that man would be Justin Timberlake. Granted, two months ago, I had no idea who Justin Timberlake was, but when I first met him, I would have laughed.

When he told me he loved me I thought I was hearing things. How could someone like him, someone so beautiful, not on the outside, but on the inside, love me. I've always been unlovable, or so it seems.

You showed me how
You seemed to find a hole
But I just laughed and smiled
Begged and rolled my eyes
Even cried and
Denied the truth to you
Just like the truth to me
Mostly lied

I'm not going to look back
I'm not going to look back
I'm not going to look back
I'm not going to look back

When I first met Justin, it was really bad. He was just like the people I left behind in Minot. But then things happened, things changed, feelings changed, minds changed. We fell in love. I don't know how it happened, but it did, that's all that matters. I'm sitting on a tour bus, having the time of my life, all because I used to be fucked up in the head. I've learned to love myself. I know it seems like such a short time since I've been here, but I've been through so much.

White it out like glittering wax butterflies

Never have been one to write it down
Now I think I can
I know I'm stronger now
Who's looking south
Not me I'm not looking back
I'm done denying the truth to anyone
Cause I'm alive

This is going to be my last journal entry in this journal. This is the depressing one. I'm going to go buy a new one for all the happy memories I'm going to have in the future. My future with Justin, my future with happiness. Yes, my happy future.

I'm not going to look back
I'm not going to look back
I'm not going to look back

I'm not going to look back
I'm not going to look back
I'm not going to look back
I'm not going to look back

Shelby put her stuff down and lay her head on the back of the couch and closed her eyes. She soon fell asleep and dreamed of what seemed to be a very bright future.

Chapter 22 by Leeann

"Shelby, sweetie, wake up." Justin whispered softly and nudged her.

"Huh?" Shelby mumbled in that state between awake and asleep.

"We're at the hotel." Justin answered.

"How long was I asleep?" Shelby asked slowly sitting up.

"You slept through the show and the half hour drive back to the hotel." Justin smiled.

"I'm still tired." Shelby cleared her throat trying to get her bearings about her.

"Well, we'll get you to bed, but first you have to talk to Susie. She's only going to be here tonight. She has to catch a flight out tomorrow morning." Justin said helping her stand up.

They grabbed their stuff and went inside the hotel and up to their room where Shelby readied for bed. She got into her pajamas and waited for a few minutes closing here eyes. It wasn't long before she awoke.

Shelby heard a knock on the door and nervously went down to anser it. She stood aside as a group of people streamed in. Susie led the way followed by JC, Joey, Chris, Lance and to her surprise Brad, Aimee, and the biggest surprise of all, Nancy.

The moment she saw Nancy, Shelby engulfed her in a huge hug. Tears streamed down her face as she hugged the 'sister' she hadn't seen or heard from in over a month and a half.

"What are you doing here?" She asked pulling away.

"Visiting." Nancy shrugged.

"How did you -- ?" Shelby turned to Susie.

"It was all him." Susie answered nodding in Brad's direction.

"Thank you Brad," Shelby moved to give him a hug. "You should have told me this earlier today."

"And ruin the surprise? No way." Brad smiled at her.

"It's really good to see you too Aimee." Shelby smiled at her friend.

"You're looking really good." Aimee said taking in Shelby's smiling face and the positive glow about her.

"Thank you," Shelby blushed.

"You've lost weight." Nancy observed.

Shelby shrugged and sat down on her bed against the headboard.

Everyone else took their queue from her and sat down. Susie took the chair at the table so she could have the hard surface to write on. Brad and Nancy sat on Shelby's sides and the others sat down wherever there was room.

"I have to say Shelby, I'm really impressed with the way you look. I don't mean your physical appearance, but your whole demeanor, your whole aura has changed. Last time I saw you, your eyes had a deep sadness, now i look at you, your eyes sparkle and that smile has been on your face since the moment we walked in here." Susie looked at Shelby amazed.

"I totally agree. She was a lost girl when she left North Dakota. The transformation is amazing." Brad said putting his arm around her.

"Basically what I'm going to do is ask you some questions and observe your behavior and interactions with everyone else." Susie explained writing on her notepad.

"Now I know what a lab rat feels like." Shelby chuckled.

"Nice sarcasm Shelby." Joey smirked at her.

"Thanks."

"Let's start with the past, what pushed you to want to kill yourself." Susie asked.

"Seriously? I thought we all knew that already." Shelby shook her head.

"I know all of these questions are going to be repeat information we know, but I have to ask them." Susie explained.

"All right." Shelby nodded.

"You tried to kill yourself?" Nancy asked.

"Yeah," Shelby looked at her sister and felt ashamed at what she'd done for the first time.

"People have made fun of me my entire life about my weight and stuff. I lived in a foster home that had about 10 kids and a foster mother who thought it was appropriate to make me do everything. She would call me so many cruel names and she'd slap me around like it was a game. That's when I first started cutting.

"I was sitting in my room after a fight with her one time and I saw a brand new pair of scissors sitting like a foot from where I was. I wasn't even thinking, the only thing that was on my mind was numbing the pain. I picked up the scissors and wondered what it would be like to just cut myself. Would it hurt, would it feel good, would it make the pain go away ? So I did it. I cut myself for the first time. That was my biggest mistake. All of the numbness and pressure I felt inside myself was gone. As I watched the blood appear where the line was on my arm, it was as if my pain was released through the blood.

"I kept cutting when I'd need to after I'd have a fight with Alice or after I'd have a bad day at work fighting with my buddy Brad here who didn't like me at all. School was hell, everyone was cruel to me. After I graduated I moved to Orlando thinking that it had to be better out in Florida. People wouldn't be so shallow out there. Well it turned out that Florida was no different.

"My first night in Florida somebody reminded me of my 'place in life' I guess you could say after they slammed the door in my face. It got worse after that, first time I had to go to the hospital was for a panic attack after a run in with this person. The second two times, well, those were when I lost control."

"So basically it was someones words that caused you to attempt suicide?" Susie asked.

"Yeah. The first time I cut myself up really bad was because of one persons words. The second time, the time I slit my wrists it was because of that person, but it was also everything on top of that. My past, my present, and what looked my bleak future. I had no one. The only thing that went through my mind at the time was death. There was no hope at all. I remember one thing going through my mind 'You're worthless Shelby'. Those were the last words I remember before I woke up in the hospital.

"What would you say to this person if you could see them face to face?" Susie questioned.

"Well, the truth is, I've talked to him many times. He knows that I've forgiven him and that I don't blame him for anything. If anything, he's made me a stonger person." Shelby answered looking directly into Justin's eyes.

Susie didn't miss the look between Justin and Shelby, and couldn't help but comment.

"Did we put you on tour with him?" Susie asked.

"Yes." Shelby nodded.

"Why didn't you say something in the beginning?" Susie wondered.

"Didn't want to cause a fuss." Shelby shrugged.

"That is unbelievable, why would you want help from the one person that caused you pain." Susie asked trying to understand where Shelby was coming from.

"We'd previously come to a mutual agreement to be civil to each other." Shelby answered.

"Justin, since I know it was obviously you. What happened? Why did you do or say the things you said. And why did you change?" Susie asked Justin.

"Well, I don't really know. I know its a really dumb thing to say, but its true. A few months before meeting Shelby I found out my girlfriend Britney was cheating on me and I broke up with her. My heart was crushed and I turned into this horrible person who was mean to everyone. Even the guys could see the change. Well the first time I met Shelby was at a barbeque. She came with Aimee who was already inside with Joey. I saw her standing there outside the door and told her, um," Justin wiped the tears from his eyes as he tried to get his composure before continuing on, "I told her that her kind wasn't allowed there and basically told her to leave.

"Everytime I saw her afterward I just took out all my anger towards Britney out on her. I couldn't stop myself. I saw her as someone who was weak, I could stomp all over her and the way she reacted was just fuel to my fire. I was so selfish that I didn't see how bad it really was hurting her. I couldn't see my own pain until after the first time that she cut herself really bad. I knew that it was my fault and I knew that it was Britney who made me like this. I vowed that night that I wasn't going to let myself hurt her again."

Justin grabbed a tissue from the box on the table and blew his nose before continuing with his story. "The next day I was nice and I treated her with respect, then we went to the music store. And there was this woman there who was making a fuss and I got irritated and well to make the story short, I lashed out at Shelby again and then that night she well, she tried to kill herself and I knew that ultimately it was my fault."

Justin's speech had Shelby to tears, but not only Shelby, but basically everyone else in the room. They could see the love Justin had for Shelby all over his face and that what had happened in the past broke his heart.

"I love you Justin, and what happened in the past, or why it happened doesn't change that." She said moving across the bed to hug him.

"Thank you Shelby, I love you too." Justin returned her hug.

"So you guys are in love?" Susie asked.

"Yeah." Shelby nodded not moving herself from Justin's arms.

"I can tell, thats probably one of the reasons you're glowing." Susie smiled. "And what do you guys think?" she turned to the other guys of Nsync.

"Shelby has come a long way since she first joined the dour. She went from shy, keeping to herself and not saying much to anyone, to where she is now. She's one of us. She interacts with our fans, she puts people in their place if they make fun of her. Hell, shes even went clubbing with us. She's done a complete 180 and we're really proud of her." Joey answered.

"Do you all of you feel that way?" Susie asked.

"Absolutely. It's been a joy to watch her blossom into the butterfly that she is today." JC smiled at Shelby.

"Shelby its really obvious that you are strong and fully capable of sticking up for yourself. I think you will have future struggles, but you're done with this program, you've passed with flying colors. I figured you would be, so I booked a flight for you back to Orlando tomorrow morning. We've arranged Nancy to go bak with you as her family lives in Florida." Susie said putting all her stuff away.

"I leave tomorrow?" Shelby asked surprised.

"Yes. You and Nancy will be coming back with me tomorrow."

Shelby wasn't sure what to think. She wanted to go back to her little apartment and actually live in Orlando. At the same time, she wanted to spend time with her boyfriend and love of her life.

"Okay." Shelby nodded not daring to look at anyone but Susie.

"Well thats all I have, so you are all free to go if you'd like. Our flight leaves at 6am so I'm going to bed. Congratulations again Shelby, you never cease to amaze me."

"Well its pretty late, I think I'm going to go to bed too." Joey said sensing Shelby and Justin needed time to be alone.

The other guys left with him while Brad and Nancy stayed back for a few minutes.

"Where are you staying?" Shelby asked them.

"I've got a room by myself and Nancy is with Susie tonight." Brad answered.

"Oh." Shelby nodded not knowing what else to say.

"We should go to bed too." Nancy said yawning.

"We'll see you tomorrow morning Shelby." Brad said giving her a hug. "Good night Justin." he nodded to Justin.

"Thanks man." Justin said standing up.

Justin escorted them to the door then shut it behind them after they'd left. As soon as they were gone, Shelby flopped back on the bed and sighed loudly.

Justin lay down on his back next to her and stared up at the ceiling. He knew she'd talk when she was good and ready.

"I'm ready to leave." Shelby said staring up at the ceiling.

"Really?" Justin asked surprised.

"Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I like being here, and I love being with you, but I need stability. I need to settle down and have a place I can call home and right now I don't. I have an apartment in Orlando, but I've only been there what like five nights? That's just sad. I need to make friends outside of the group. Do you know what I mean?" Shelby turned her head to look at him.

"Of course I know what you mean sweetie. I'm home like one month total out of the year where I can just sit and relax. It's your decision, but I'll support whatever you do." Justin answered as he took her hand in his and softly kissed the back of it.

Shelby felt butterflies in her stomach when his soft lips touched her skin. She smiled at him and realized again just how lucky she really was.

"I love you." she whispered not wanting to ruin the moment.

"I love you." Justin whispered returning her smile.

They lay there for a few minutes enjoying each others presence before Justin broke the silence.

"I'm going to miss you Shelby. You're the best thing thats ever happened to me." Justin told her softly.

"I'm going to miss you too Justin, so much." Shelby whispered. "When does the tour get over?"

"August first is our last show." Justin asnwered. "Why?" he asked after seeing her face fall.

"No reason." Shelby answered regretting for a moment that she'd said anything.

"Shelby, sweetie, what is it?" Justin pleaded.

"I was only wondering, because my birthday is on the eighteenth."

"I knew that sweetie, don't worry, I'm not going to miss your eighteenth birthday." Justins hand went to gently frame her face as he assured her.

Shelby's heart was overflowing with love for him and the butterflies were back.

"Kiss me Justin," she whispered fervently.

Justin didn't think twice, he was over her in an instant. His lips found hers as he obliged her request. Their kiss was heated as this was one of the last times they'd be together for a while.

Shelby felt fire all over her body, but especially where Justin was touching her. She leaned into his touch and she found her fingers in his hair bringing him closer. Her breath caught in her throat when Justin moved full on top of her. He lifted his head and Shelby could see a raw heated passion in his eyes.

"You're beautiful." Shelby said touching his face with gentle fingertips.

Justin pressed his lips to the fingers that were now exploring his mouth with wonder.

"We should get to sleep." Justin said in a husky voice, not bothering to move from her.

Shelby didn't want the moment to end as she was floating on cloud nine. She raised her head and softly kissed him.

Justin placed his hands behind her head and angled it to deepen their kiss. He couldn't believe Shelby was leaving tomorrow and he couldn't seem to get enough of her as she lay beneath him.

They were learning morea bout each other with their kiss. When Shelby thought she had his pattern figured out, Justin would pull away and kiss her softly several times, plucking at her mouth then he'd deepen it again. Shelby just couldn't get enough of him and found her hands beneath his shirt at his waist.

Alarm bells went off in Justins head as he felt Shelbys touch burning into his skin. He pulled away and looked into her eyes.

"We need to stop now sweetie." Justin said trying to catch his breath.

Shelby's eyes went wide when she realized the meaning and depth of those words.

"Come on baby, lets get you packed. You'll want to do that tonight as we'll have to be up by four so we can be there at the airport early. It's already eleven thirty." Justin stood up then helped Shelby stand up before giving her a brief hug.

"Thanks." Shelby smiled weakly.

They packed everything she had in the room save for what she'd wear tomorrow then went to the bus and gathered all her stuff and set it all in one pile in their room ready to be grabbed early the next morning.

They went to bed about an hour later, but neither of the two wanted to go to sleep, for when they woke up, they'd have to part ways for what seemed to them, a long time.

The young couple did end up falling asleep shortly after laying down. They fell asleep in each others arms as it should be and woke up at a dreaded four am. It seemed like such a chore to get Shelby's things loaded into the van along with the nine people. It was decided that security would ride in a seperate van as there was no more room for them.

Shelby found herself at her gate and waiting to leave Justin. She didn't realize it was going to be this hard, she kept telling herself to breath deeply and she did so, but she didn't have any time to think as Justin swept her in his arms.

"What are you --"

"Shh, don't talk. I want to dance with you." Justin said as he silenced her with his fingers.

"Theres no music." Shelby told him not giving a damn if there was or not.

Just then a song sounded over a small stereo. It was music to the song that meant so much to both of them. What touched Shelby's heart and soul was the ones who sang it. It was a beautiful song in 5 part harmony.

Would you dance,
if I asked you to dance?
Would you run,
and never look back?
Would you cry,
if you saw me crying?
And would you save my soul, tonight?

Would you tremble,
if I touched your lips?
Would you laugh?
Oh please tell me this.
Now would you die,
for the one you love?
Hold me in your arms, tonight.

Justin sang the verses to the song to Shelby as he danced with her, meaning every word. The guys picked up the chorus with Justin and they serenaded the couple as they danced like no one was watching.

I can be your hero, baby.
I can kiss away the pain.
I will stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away.

Would you swear,
that you'll always be mine?
Or would you lie?
would you run and hide?
Am I in too deep?
Have I lost my mind?
I don't care...
You're here, tonight.

I can be your hero, baby.
I can kiss away the pain.
I will stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away.

Shelby was in tears by this point as she clung to Justin, not wanting anyone to see her tears, even though she knew it was natural to cry over leaving her love.

Oh, I just wanna to hold you.
I just wanna to hold you.
Oh yeah.
Am I in too deep?
Have I lost my mind?
Well I don't care...
You're here, tonight.

I can be your hero, baby.
I can kiss away the pain.
I will stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away.

Shelby's tears were breaking Justins heart as he could do nothing to calm her. She was really torn up over leaving him, but how could he blame her, he had tears running down his face too.

I can be your hero.
I can kiss away the pain.
And I will stand by you, forever.
You can take my breath away.
You can take my breath away.

I can be your hero.

The last line was whispered to Shelby from Justin as they heard the announcement for boarding.

"I love you baby, I'm going to miss you so much. But I promise we'll talk every day." Justin said clutching Shelby close to him tightly.

"I love you too. I miss you already." Shelby said tears streaming down her face.

"Share the love," Joey said trying to lighten the mood.

"I'm going to miss you too Joey." Shelby said as she hugged the man she'd come to consider a great friend.

"Me too sweetie. You amaze me." Joey smiled hugging her tightly.

"Brad, thanks for everything. I can't believe I'm saying goodbye to you again." Shelby said standing in front of her old boss.

"You'll do fine sweetie. Maybe I'll come visit you in Orlando on vacation." Brad smiled wiping her tears away.

She may be with Justin, but Brad loved her as a little sister and as a best friend, it was his duty to make sure she was doing good.

Shelby said goodbye to the rest of the guys then gave Justin one last kiss before boarding the plane and leaving Justin and the tour behind.

(Song Credit Hero by Enrique Iglesias)

Chapter 23 by Leeann
July 7, 2002

The first few days away from the tour were a little strange, it took Shelby a while to get used to normal life again. She couldn't go back to the coffee shop as Bonner had hired someone new to replace her as she was originally scheduled to be gone for so many months. She didn't start looking for a job right away, she took the time she had to just take a break and relax.

Her and Nancy had been together almost every day. Shelby had met her foster parents the day they had come back and she found they were very nice. Nancy had one other sister and one brother, both of whom were very sweet. They had taken to Shelby like she was their own big sister. Ariana and Luke, her parents had really liked Shelby, they said that she could come around whenever she wanted and had assured her it was okay that Nancy was over at her apartment a lot.

Shelby was really missing Justin, but she knew that she had to get used to this as he would be gone most of the time. They talked every day and every day they seemed to learn more about each other and fell more in love.

"How are things going?" Justin asked her.

"They're going good, Nancy and I hung out all day yesterday and she stayed overnight here last night. It's been wonderful to have her around again. We barely got to know each other before I had to move to come here." Shelby answered.

"Well I'm glad to hear that. Sounds like everything is working out well for you there. I wish I was there with you, I miss you so much Shelby. Nothing is the same around here any more since you've been gone."

"I miss you too Justin, more than you know. I would have stayed, but I had to start my life here. I still haven't fully settled in yet, I have to an extent, but I still don't really know my way around and I don't have a job yet either."

"I know sweetie, I know. I hate to do it, but I have to go now. I'll call you later."

"Okay, I love you Justin." Shelby said breathlessly.

"I love you too Shelby, talk to you later."

Shelby hung up the phone and let out a long sigh it seemed harder to hang up the phone after talking to him, but she was getting better at it, she really was. A knock on the door caused her to loose her train of thought and made her jump.

Getting up, she walked over to the door and checked the peep hole. She had no idea who it was that was standing out there, so she cautiously opened the door. "Can I help you?" she asked the man standing there.

"Hi, I'm your neighbor and my phone isn't working, I was wondering if I may be able to use yours to call the phone company." he asked.

"Um, sure." Shelby said opening the door.

"Nice place you have, very dark." he said looking around.

"Yeah well," Shelby shrugged. "I only have a cell." Shelby handed him the phone.

"No problem. I'm Tony by the way." he said offering his hand.

"Shelby." she nodded shaking his hand.

Tony dialed some numbers on the phone and put it to his ear. "Yes, hi, this is Anthony Karr and I'm having problems with my phone."

Shelby didn't want to eavesdrop on his conversation so she went farther away and grabbed a CD and put it on play. She tried to keep herself busy, but didn't succeed so she gave up and just watched him.

He was tall and skinny, he was wearing dark jeans with a studded belt and a black t-shirt that said Taking Back Sunday. She had to admit he was really cute, he looked like he should be on stage at a concert or something.

"You're an AFI fan?" he asked hearing her music.

"Yeah, they have good music." Shelby nodded taking her phone from him.

"I'm impressed, most girls around here just like the boy bands and the other little pop stars." he chuckled.

"I like Nsync." Shelby shrugged.

"I can see that," Tony said picking up a picture of her and Justin. "He your boyfriend?"

Shelby nodded and came over to look at the picture.

"How did you come to know Justin Timberlake? You don't really look like you would go to an Nsync concert." Tony asked looking her up and down.

"It's really a long story." Shelby said not really wanting to bring it up again.

"I hear ya. So the phone company said they'd be sending someone out to fix it for me." Tony said changing the subject.

"Sounds good."

"You ever hear of Taking Back Sunday?" Tony asked breaking the silence.

"Nope. Are they any good?" Shelby answered.

"They're awesome. Do you have a few minutes? You can come over to my place and listen to them if you'd like. I've gotta get back anyway, I've got a couple buddies over." Tony suggested.

"I have nothing to do anyway." Shelby shrugged.

"All right then, lets get a goin." Tony said heading to the door.

Shelby wasn't sure what she was doing when she followed Tony out the door. She knew that she needed to make some new friends, but she wasn't sure if this was quite the way to do it. She found herself following Tony into his apartment, she felt awkward as the three other guys all turned to look at her.

"Hey guys, this is Shelby, she's come to listen to some TBS. Shelby these are the guys, that's Ryan, Scott, and Jason." Tony pointed to the various guys.

"Hey," Shelby nodded, feeling very shy at the moment.

"Nice to meet ya." Ryan said making her feel welcome.

"Hey," Scott and Jason both greeted.

"The phone company is sending out people." Tony said as he flipped through his CD case.

"Sweet," Scott answered.

"So Shelby, what kind of music do you listen to?" Ryan asked her.

"I don't have much. I just started listening to music." Shelby shrugged.

"What CD's do you have." Jason questioned.

"I have some AFI, some Nsync, Avril Lavigne, a Marilyn Manson live CD, some Charlotte Church, The Used, Sugarcult, an Enrique Iglesias CD, some musical soundtracks and that's about it." Shelby answered.

"You have Nsync?" Jason asked his eyebrows raised.

"Yeah." Shelby nodded.

"She's dating Justin Timberlake." Tony answered finding what he was looking for.

"Weird," Scott stared at her.

"You can't help who you fall in love with." Shelby defended.

"Oh I know that sweetie, you're preachin to the choir." Scott answered.

"So this is Taking Back Sunday, I'm going to play you one of my favorite songs. It's called You're So Last Summer." Tony said sitting down in on the couch next to Shelby and pushed play on the remote to his CD player.

She said
"don't, don't let it go to your head
Boys like you are a dime a dozen,
Boys like you are a dime a dozen"
She said
"you're a touch overrated,
you're a lush and I hate it
but these grass stains on my knees
they won't mean a thing"

And all I (all I)
Need to know (need to know)
Is that I'm something you'll be missing
(is that I'm something that you're missing)
(maybe I should hate for this)
Maybe I should hate you for this
Never really did ever quite get that far
(maybe I should hate for this)
Maybe I should hate you for this
Never really did ever quite get that...

I'd never lie to you
Unless I had to
I'll do what I got to
Unless I had to
I'll do what I got to, the truth
is you could slit my throat
And with my one last gasping breath
I'd apologize for bleeding on your shirt

And all I (all I)
Need to know (need to know)
Is that I'm something you'll be missing
(is that I'm something that you're missing)
(maybe I should hate for this)
Maybe I should hate you for this
Never really did ever quite get that far
(maybe I should hate for this)
Maybe I should hate you for this
Never really did ever quite get that...

Cause I'm a wishful thinker with the worst intentions
This'll be last chance you get to drop my name
Cause I'm a wishful thinker with the worst intentions
This'll be last chance you get to drop my name

If I'm just bad news, then you're a liar (Maybe I should...)
If I'm just bad news, then you're a liar (...hate you for this)
If I'm just bad news, then you're a liar (Maybe I should...)
If I'm just bad news, then you're a liar (...hate you for this)
If I'm just bad news, then you're a liar (Maybe I should...)
If I'm just bad news, then you're a liar (...hate you for this)
If I'm just bad news, then you're a liar (Maybe I should...)
If I'm just bad news, then you're a liar (...hate you for this)

Maybe I should hate you for this
(If only you knew half as much as you pretend to)
Maybe I should hate you for this
(If only you knew half as much as you pretend to)

"That was really good." Shelby commented when it was over.

"Glad you like it, I have an extra copy of the CD if you'd like it." Tony looked at her.

"Sure." Shelby nodded.

Tony again went in search of a CD, this time he came back quickly and handed her an unopened copy of Tell All Your Friends, the Taking Back Sunday CD.

"Thanks." Shelby smiled taking it from him.

"So Shelby, tell us, how did you get hooked up with the Pop Boy Wonder." Jason asked her.

"I don't really want to talk about it." Shelby shook her head.

"Fair enough," Jason answered.

"What are you doing tonight?" Tony asked her.

"Nothing."

"If you'd like to come with us, we've got tickets to go see The Used. We have an extra ticket, one of our other buddies couldn't make it." Tony suggested.

"Really? I love them." Shelby asked getting excited.

"All right then, it's agreed, you'll come with us." Tony smiled.

"What time does it start ?" Shelby questioned.

"Starts at six." Jason answered.

"Well isn't it noon now?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Don't you believe in getting there early to get a front row seat?" Shelby asked.

"There's never anybody there this early." Scott assured her.

"I'm going to go get ready, then we're going to go there and get in line." Shelby said.

"Are we really?" Scott smirked.

"Yes, there are always people that go early. Trust me, I was just on tour with Nsync for a month and a half." Shelby said standing up.

"Fine, we'll go early, just for you sweetie." Tony said smiling at her, he stood up and put his hand on the small of her back and walked her to the door.

"Give me like forty-five minutes." Shelby turned to him.

"No problem." Tony smiled and softly kissed her cheek.

Shelby walked toward her apartment with a confused look on her face. Why did he kiss her, he knew that she had a boyfriend. She quickly dispelled that thought and hurriedly threw some clothes together and jumped in the shower. Tonight she would get to see a concert that wasn't Nsync, how excited she was.

She turned on her Used CD and cranked it up and got ready in a hurry. She decided to go with a pair of black pants with the strategically placed straps hanging off them and her red AFI shirt, she put on her black Chucks and donned several bracelets. Shelby did her make up so that it looked good, but didn't over do it. As she promised, she was ready and knock on Tony's door within forty five minutes.

"Impressive, we didn't think you'd be back within an hour." Tony laughed as he answered the door.

"Do I look like one of those girls that would take forever to get ready?" Shelby asked.

"Not at all. So are you ready to go? Jason asked waiting by the door.

"Of course. By the way, how much do I owe you for the ticket?" Shelby asked grabbing her wallet out of her back pocket.

"Nothing, it's already paid for." Tony smiled.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

They all got in Tony's jeep and drove down to the show, when they got there they found that Shelby had been right, there were already a few people there. Shelby gave them a told you so and jumped out and got in line.

They waited in line until the doors opened up at 5. They rushed to the front and ended up getting a front center spot. Shelby stood up against the barricade with Scott at her right and Jason at her left. Ryan was standing on the other side of Scott, and Tony ended up standing behind her, knowing that she would get pushed a lot. Tony had his hands resting on either side of Shelby on the barricade, boxing her in.

Shelby was really excited and could hear all around her people coming in and talking, she wasn't so sure about Tony and his arms practically around her, but she tried to ignore it as she anticipated the show.

"You excited?" Scott asked from her right.

"Very. Who are the openers?" Shelby asked.

"I believe it's Motion City Soundtrack, Sugarcut, then My Chemical Romance, then The Used. It's a co-headlineing tour with MCR and The Used." Scott explained.

"Cool." Shelby smiled.

Ryan nudged Scott and when he looked over, Ryan nodded to Tony. Scott knew what he was getting at and he agreed, what was Tony doing, Shelby had a boyfriend yet he was hitting on her. It was plain as day, this was not something Tony would normally do.

"What's his deal?" Ryan asked low enough for only Scott to hear.

"I have no idea, he knows she has a boyfriend, yet he's all over her." Scott shook his head.

"She's not comfortable with it. Look at her." Ryan looked at Shelby who was trying to act natural.

"Should we say anything?" Scott asked.

"I don't think so, he'll get pissed and you know what he's like when he gets mad."

"Yeah."

Their conversation ended there as the lights went down and the crowd went wild. Motion City Soundtrack were the first performers, they put on a high energy show, their music was interesting in Shelby's opinion. They had one really interesting instrument, it looked like a little keyboard, and when she asked Jason, she was informed it was called a moog, it was like a synthesizer.

Sugarcult came out and played an awesome show. The lead singer really got into it and at one point jumped down and sang kind of to the crowd. He jumped up so he was sort of on the barricade, and at one point he was right in front of Shelby, she was sandwiched between him and Tony it was kind of fun, but at the same time awkward because of the position she was in.

My Chemical Romance played a good show, but Shelby was really excited to see The Used. The lead singer from MCR squatted down and sang part of a song right to her and she shyly smiled at him as he got up and went back into his high energy performance.

Finally it was time for The Used. As soon as they came out, the crowd surged forward. For a moment, Shelby couldn't breathe. It took her suddenly so she didn't have a hold of the barricade, but soon she realized why Tony stood behind her, he was pushing the crowd off her. She reminded herself to thank him when the show was over.

Oh, they were amazing. Bert was such a goofball and he was so amazingly talented. He was all over the stage flinging his microphone up in the air and catching it, you could tell he really loved what he was doing. Shelby's favorite parts of the show were when they played Poetic Tragedy followed by On My Own, those were two of her favorite songs. She felt tears fall down her cheeks as she watched them perform Poetic Tragedy.

The cup is not half empty as pessimists say
As far as he's sees, nothing's left in the cup
A whole cup full of nothing for him to indulge
Since the voice of ambition has long since been shut up

A singer, a writer, he's not dreaming now of going nowhere
He gave heed to nothing, and all that he was....
Is just a tragedy

Shelby felt so much emotion as she listened to the words, it fit the previous point in her life so well. Tears were streaming down her face as she felt a hand grab hers to her right, Scott was trying to comfort her the best he could without making a scene.

So he voyages in circles
Succeeds getting nowhere
And submits to the substance
That first got him there

Then in violent, frustration, he cries out to God or just no one
Is there a point to this madness and all that he was....
Is just a tragedy

Shelby longed to feel Justin's arms around her, she felt so alone. She was surrounded by people, but she still had never felt more alone. She wanted nothing but to feel the arms of her love around her telling her everything was going to be all right. She watched Bert climb down off the stage and stand in front of her.

He feels alone
His heart in his hand
He's alone
He feels alone
I feel....

Bert saw a girl in the audience crying and he felt her pain as he sang and he had to somehow convey his pain with hers. He jumped down and sang to her and added what he was feeling to what she was feeling. Nobody had witnessed something so emotional.

Then on that last day he breaks
And he stood tall
And he yelled... and he takes his life

After the song had finished, Bert put down his mic and walked over to Shelby and gave her a big hug. The audience was going nuts, but he didn't care. All he knew was that he had to hug her. "We don't know each other, but I felt I had to tell you that everything was going to be okay." he whispered before jumping back on stage.

Shelby felt numb, how did he know.

The rest of the show went great and afterwards Shelby went back to the merch table where she wanted to buy some CD's. From the Motion City Soundtrack table she grabbed a CD and a t-shirt. Tony insisted on paying for her things, and nothing Shelby said could detur him so she let him. She got all of the members but the singer to autograph her CD. She met Tim and Marko 72 from Sugarcult and got their first CD and also a t-shirt. She bought a CD from MCR and from the Used table, she bought a poser, and a t-shirt.

Shelby had a wonderful time with everyone and they went out to eat afterwards, and by the time they went home, it was hard to talk because their voices were so hoarse from screaming.

Tony just got worse as the night progressed. He acted as if he was her boyfriend. He bought her meal and all of her merch, and when they made it home, he walked her to her door. She was getting really uncomfortable with it all and she finally got into her apartment and shut the door.

"That was weird." Shelby whispered after Tony had left. "Loads of fun, but why was he so clingy. He knows I have a boyfriend."

Shelby changed into her pajamas and went to bed as tired as she was, she fell asleep right away.

*Song credits You're So Last Summer by Taking back Sunday and Poetic Tragedy by The Used

Chapter 24 by Leeann
Chapter 24

July 15, 2002
3 Days prior to Shelby's Birthday

Shelby woke up the the sound of someone banging on the door. She got out of bed, threw on a robe, and went to get the door.

"I have a package for Shelby Murphy." the delivery man said holding out a parcel.

"I'm Shelby." Shelby said taking the package out of his hands.

"I just need you to sign here." he said handing her an electronic key pad to sign.

Shelby signed her name then handed it back to him. "Thanks."

"You're welcome, and have a good day miss." he said before walking away.

Shelby shut the door and sat down on the couch with her package. She tore off the brown paper and opened the box. Inside she found a card, she took it out of the envelope and slowly opened it. Two pieces of paper fell out, she glanced them over and went to read the card.

Shelby,

Take these gift certificates and use them today. One is for you to get your nails done and the other is for hair and makeup. Wear this and go down to the sidewalk at seven sharp, a limo will be waiting. Have fun, for the day is yours.

Love you.

Shelby looked inside the box and found a beautiful strapless dress of red satin. Around the very top there was a black satin ribbon that came around in the front and made a cute but sophisticated bow. The same black ribbon adorned the middle of the dress as well as the very bottom, sans the bow. Included in the box, Shelby held out a pair of strappy black heels.

"These are beautiful." she whispered to herself looking over the dress and shoes.

Shelby put them both delicately down and tried to find out where it said who it was from. It wasn't on the envelope or the card or any of the gift certificates. She felt warmth in her stomach as she smiled and thought about Justin. He was such a sweetheart, she was so blessed to have him. She was thinking about calling him when the door knocked again.

She went to answer it and found Tony on the other side.

"Did you get a package?" he asked letting himself in.

"Yeah."

"Sweet, I was just wondering what you were doing tonight."

"I have a date."

"Really? With Justin?" Tony asked.

"Yeah." Shelby answered even though she wasn't positive that it was with Justin.

"But I wanted to take you to dinner." Tony said coming closer.

"Sorry, listen Tony, I'm not sure if I gave you some kind of wrong impression, but you know that I have a boyfriend. I would really appreciate it if you stopped coming on to me. It makes me feel really uncomfortable." Shelby said backing away.

"What are you talking about Shelby, I'm just trying to be your friend." Tony answered.

"You act like you're my boyfriend. You insisted on buying everything for me at the show, yesterday you wanted to take me to a movie, and now today you want to take me to dinner. You tell me if that's just being my friend."

"I'm sorry Shelby, I didn't know you felt that way. I'm this way with all my girl friends." Tony lied easily.

"Really?" Shelby asked still feeling uneasy.

"Of course, sorry that you felt that way." Tony said taking her into his arms.

Shelby just stood there with her arms at her sides, she couldn't bring herself to hug him back, not when she felt so uncomfortable.

"Well, Miss Shelby, I'll leave you to your date." Tony said before exiting the room.

'You don't know what's about to hit you.' he thought as he walked away.

~*~

"So it's working?" the voice asked over the phone.

"Yeah, the plan is unfolding perfectly. Just like you said it would."

"Good. This is great. If I can't have him no one can."

"You'll get your pictures after everything is done."

"How many shots are there?"

"So far I've got a full roll."

"Get it done."

~*~

4PM

Shelby poured herself a hot bath with some nice smelling salts and a really nice bubble bath that the woman who did her manicure suggested she use. She was about to get in when the phone rang. She grabbed it and then sunk into the heaven that was her bath.

"Hello?"

"Hello Shelby?" the woman asked.

"Yes, who is this?" Shelby asked recognized the voice but couldn't place it.

"It's Lois, we met about a month and a half ago."

"Oh my gosh, grandma. How are you? It's so good to hear from you." Shelby said surprised.

"I'm good, it's good to hear your voice as well. I just wanted to call and wish you a happy early birthday. We're going to be out of town on Saturday so I wanted to make sure I wished you a happy birthday before I forget." Lois answered.

"Thank you. So how are you? How is Grandpa?" Shelby asked.

"We're both doing very well. We've decided to move down here for good. We're quite sick of the traveling so we're giving it up for good. I hear something in the background, am I interrupting you?"

"I'm just taking a bath, I'm going out tonight." Shelby answered.

"Oh, well, I'm sorry dear. I'll let you go. Maybe I'll call you some other time then."

"Thank you for calling Lois, I miss you guys dearly."

"We miss you too."

"Take care Lois." Shelby said trying not to cry.

"You too sweetie." Lois said.

Shelby hung up the phone and carefully put it down on the floor next to her. She sunk low in the bathtub and let the bubbles flow over her body. She closed her eyes and let herself relax and soaked until she was pruned.

It was around five when she finally got out and got dressed, she threw on some sweats and a zipped hoodie so she could easily slip out of her shirt after they'd done her hair. She realized the time and hurried up, her hair and makeup appointment was at 5:45 and it took at least a half an hour to get there.

Shelby rushed to her appointment and got there on time. They had her sit down in the chair and began their work for the night. They added extensions to her hair so that she could wear it up and curled it all. They ended up gathering it all on top of her head except for a few curls here and there along the back of her neck and a few down front.

For the make up, they went for a light touch. They made her look beautiful, natural, but it accented her features and brought out her eyes. They insisted she wear contacts for the effect.

Shelby wasn't allowed to look at herself before she left, she was instructed to go home, put on her dress and shoes. Only then could she see herself in the mirror. She was really tempted to peek, but she realized the dramatic effect would be so much better if she just waited until she could see the finished product.

It was 6:45 before Shelby finished getting ready. She was now about to stand in front of the full length mirror. She already felt like a princess, but what if when she looked at herself, her fairytale was over. Knowing it had to be done, she stepped in front of the mirror...and lost her breath.

She looked beautiful. For the first time in her life, Shelby looked beautiful. They had done a wonderful job with her hair and makeup. She truly looked stunning, she smiled and looked at the clock. It was already 6:56. She grabbed her purse, took one final look, then headed down the stairs.

Taking a deep breath, she stepped outside and saw Justin standing there holding a single red rose with a black ribbon tied around it. She smiled and her breath caught in her throat, he looked so handsome standing there.

Justin was thinking along those same lines. His Shelby looked stunningly beautiful. She smiled at him shyly and stepped in front of him.

"You're beautiful Shelby." He said handing her the rose.

"Thank you." she said breathlessly.

"You're carriage awaits m'lady." Justin said offering her his hand.

It really did, behind Justin was not a limo, but a real carriage. It was a beautiful black and white carriage that was pulled by white horses.

Shelby took his hand and allowed him to help her up. She sat in the carriage and was amazed. Everything was beautiful and very fairy tale like. She watched Justin get in beside her and smiled at him.

Justin took Shelby into his arms and softly kissed her.

"I love you." he whispered lovingly.

"I love you too. I missed you so much." Shelby stared up at him with stars in her eyes.

"Happy birthday." he said.

"It's not 'til Saturday." she answered.

"I know. This was the only day I could get away." Justin smiled.

They rode in silence for a few minutes before they stopped in front of a small restaurant.

Justin jumped out of the carriage and held out his hand to help his Cinderella.

"Why thank you kind sir," she said curtsying.

"Right this way." Justin said putting her hand in the crook of his elbow.

Shelby followed Justin inside and when she did her jaw dropped.

Inside was a beautiful candle lit room with one table setting in the middle and a 5 piece orchestra playing beautiful music. A waiter was there to bring them to their table and asked what they'd like to drink.

"We'll take a bottle of champaign." Justin said.

"I'm not old enough to drink." Shelby said feeling foolish after she'd done so.

"Don't worry sweetie, you'll be fine." Justin smiled.

Shelby looked at her menu and frowned when she couldn't read a thing it said.

"Is this French?" she asked.

"Yes ma'am." Justin answered.

"Am I supposed to read it?"

"Don't worry about it sweetie." Justin assured her.

The waiter came back with their bottle of champaign and proceeded to pour them each a small glass. He proceeded to ask them if they were ready.

"What are your specials tonight sir?" Justin asked.

"Lemon coated chicken breast over angel hair pasta." he answered.

"That sounds good, I'll have that." Shelby smiled at him, glad she didn't have to try and decipher the menu.

"And what kind of dressing would you like for your salad miss?" he asked.

"Italian please."

"And for you sir?" he turned to Justin.

"I'll have the same thanks." Justin answered.

"We'll have those salads right out." he said taking their menu's.

"You look really stunning tonight Shelby. I can't say it enough. I'm not talking about just your physical beauty, I'm talking about everything. You've changed so much since I met you. You've totally stood your ground since I came to pick you up. You don't look down any more, you look everyone in the eye and talk to them directly. I'm so proud of you." Justin smiled.

"Thank you." Shelby blushed feeling overwhelmed.

"I wish you'd come back to the tour, nothings the same without you." Justin said taking her hand.

"If I could I would, I just need to find myself here Justin. I hope you can understand that." Shelby answered.

"Don't worry hon, I understand perfectly. I just hoped to change your mind because I miss you so much."

"I miss you too, all the time." Shelby agreed. "There are so many times when I long to feel your arms around me."

"Oh baby, I love you." Justin said leaning over to tenderly caress her face.

"I love you too." Shelby closed her eyes and leaned into his touch for a moment.

"Can I take a picture of the lovely couple?" a voice asked with a camera.

Shelby's blood turned cold when she saw Tony standing there. "No." she said before thinking.

"Why not?" Justin asked her.

Shelby looked from Tony to Justin who was looking at her with a hurt expression.

"Um, I guess it couldn't hurt." Shelby answered against her better judgment.

Justin beamed at her and helped her stand then drew her into his arms and held her close. They posed for a few moments while Tony took their picture then sat back down.

"Here you are folks, have a good everything." Tony said handing them a picture.

"Thank you." Justin took it from him.

Justin didn't notice that Tony was staring at Shelby as he looked at the picture.

Shelby knew that Tony's being here was trouble. She knew she had to get rid of him as soon as Justin wasn't going to expect anything.

"Well, you kids enjoy your meal." Tony said leaving.

After Tony was out of sight, Shelby excused herself to find the restroom.

"I've got to find the little ladies room." Shelby said standing up.

"All right, hurry back." Justin smiled.

"I love you." Shelby leaned over and kissed him before walking away.

"I knew you'd come find me." Tony said as she turned the corner.

"What are you doing here?" Shelby asked the moment she saw him.

"Taking your picture." Tony answered.

"I want you to leave now." Shelby demanded.

"This is a free country honey." Tony said standing his ground.

"You are an asshole." Shelby glared at him.

"Oh you know you want me." Tony grabbed her and roughly kissed her mouth.

Shelby wasn't aware of anything but getting away from this brute, she didn't hear the camera clicking away. She pushed as hard as she could on his chest and finally pushed him back.

"Don't you EVER come near me again." Shelby said holding her mouth.

"Whatever you say sweetie." Tony smirked evilly before walking away.

Shelby stepped into the bathroom and felt tears very near. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and saw the damage his kiss had done. Her mouth was all red and swollen, she turned on the cold water and grabbed a paper towel, she pressed the cold towel to her lips and willed them to look normal. It took about five minutes, but she did finally look normal once she left the bathroom.

"What took so long?" Justin asked standing up.

"Sorry," Shelby smiled at him.

"Our salads aren't out yet, did you want to dance?" Justin questioned.

"I'd love to." Shelby said recognizing the song the orchestra was playing.

"I hope it's okay that I requested a song." Justin whispered holding her in his arms.

"It's a beautiful song." Shelby smiled.

Justin started softly singing to her as Shelby lost herself in his yes.

When I'm lost in the rain,
In your eyes I know I'll find the light
To light my way.
And when I'm scared,
And losing ground,
When my world is going crazy,
You can turn it all around.
And when I'm down you're there
- pushing me to the top.
You're always there,
giving me all you've got.

For a shield from the storm,
For a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.
For the strength to be strong,
For the will to carry on
For everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.

When I lose the will to win,
I just reach for you and
I can reach the sky again.
I can do anything
'Cause your love is so amazing,
'Cause your love inspires me.
And when I need a friend,
You're always on my side
Giving me faith
taking me through the night

For a shield from the storm,
For a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.
For the strength to be strong,
For the will to carry on
For everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.

For the arms to be my shelter
through all the rain,
For truth that will never change,
For someone to lean on,
For a heart I can rely on through anything,
For that one who I can run to...

For a shield from the storm,
For a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you
For the strength to be strong,
For the will to carry on
For everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.

For a shield from the storm,
For a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.
For the strength to be strong,
For the will to carry on
For everything you do,
for everything that's true

I turn to you.
I turn to you...

"I love you Shelby, so much." Justin said as the song finished.

"I love you too." Shelby said, stars in her eyes.

*Song I Turn to You by Christina Aguilera*

Chapter 25 by Leeann

Chapter 25

*Authors Note* This story has been in progress for the past 4 years and it has finally come to an end. The adventures of Shelby are just beginning however, the ending for this one may not make sense, or may make you angry, but rest assured that there will be a sequel. Thanks for everything and supporting me through out this journey. Tune in soon for the sequel.

July 18, 2002
Shelby's Birthday

Shelby couldn't help the wide smile from shining on her face. She'd been living on a cloud since her night with Justin. She'd been treated like a princess, the whole night was like a dream come true. The only blemish on her perfect evening was the scene with Tony in which he kissed her. Justin had taken her back to her apartment where she found a total transformation.

There were red rose petals everywhere - and there were huge bouquets of red and white roses on all the surfaces in her apartment. There were candles glowing softly enhancing the romance. Justin was as tender and passionate a lover that anyone could imagine. He made her first time very special and took time to make sure she was comfortable with everything.

It was a night Shelby would forever remember for the rest of her life.

"Earth to Shelby." Ryan said in his mic.

"I'm sorry what?" Shelby said shaking her head.

"You look like you just got laid." Scott smirked.

"She did just get laid." Jason laughed. "Three days ago."

"Shut up guys." Shelby blushed.

"How do we sound?" Ryan asked.

"Like a punk band." Shelby grinned evilly.

"I ought to come down there and pummell you." Ryan scowled.

"What? You asked for it." Shelby smiled.

"But seriously, how do we sound." Scott asked.

"You guys sound good. It seems like there is something missing, maybe another guitar or keys?" Shelby suggested.

"Tony played second guitar, but that was before he decided to be an asshole." Jason rolled his eyes from behind the drums.

"You play anything?" Ryan asked.

"I had a friend who taught me a little keyboard, but I don't know much." Shelby answered.

"Kool. We could teach you if you want, then you can be in our band and we'll have that missing sound." Scott said excited.

"That's playing on a whole other level." Shelby said skeptically.

"Well, think about it. You'd be welcome with us." Jason nodded.

"Thanks." Shelby smiled happy to be included.

"You're phone is flashing." Ryan said pointing to the cell phone sittin next to her.

"Oh, damn, I forgot the sound wasnt on." Shelby said before answering. "Hello?"

"Shelby?"

"Hey Justin how are you?" Shelby asked glowing.

"We need to talk." Justin demanded.

"Okay." Shelby answered feeling nervous in the pit of her stomach at the tone of her voice.

"I'm on my way to your place."

"Okay, I'll meet you there."

"Where are you now?" Justin asked.

"I'm with the guys, they're having a band rehearsal." Shelby answered.

"Whatever, hurry up."

"I'm on my way."

Shelby hung up the phone and grabbed her things and bid farewell to the guys before going to her car. She knew something wasn't right, Justin was in town and he didn't even wish her happy birthday. He sounded angry, something she hadn't heard aimed at her since he was mean to her.

Justin was waiting upstairs at her door holding a brown manilla envelope. He stood with his arms crossed over his chest a somber look on his face.

"Hey Justin." Shelby said leaning up to kiss him.

Justin pulled away before she could kiss him and tried not to flinch at the look of hurt in her eyes.

"Won't you come in." Shelby moved to unlock the door, mindful of her shaking hands.

Justin followed her in and closed the door behind him. He opened the envelope and got right down to business.

"What the hell is this?" he said holding up a 8x10 photo of Tony kissing her at the restaurant the other night.

Shelby grabbed the picture and her heart fell to her knees. She had no idea what to say, but continued to study the photo.

"I'm waiting Shelby." Justin said burning his eyes into her skin.

"It's not what you think." Shelby said instantly regretting it.

"That's not what I want to hear Shel. Who the hell is he and why are you kissing him?" Justin demanded.

"He's my neighbor. I didn't kiss him, he kissed me." Shelby answered.

"He looks like more than a friend to me. I have a lot of pictures of you together. You look pretty cozy here." Justin said handing her another picture.

Shelby took the picture he held and her stomach flipped again, it was a picture of Tony holding her at the Used concert. Shelby was in front of Tony with his hands around her 'holding off the fans' around her.

"He was just keeping the others off me." Shelby defended knowing it sounded ridculous.

"Is this why you wanted to leave the tour? So you could be with some other guy on the sly?" Justin yelled.

"Of course not. I didn't meet him until I got back. He came over once because his phone wasn't working and then he and the guys invited me to the Used concert that night. He started getting really friendly that night. I swear Justin, I told him to stop. I love you, I'm not going to do anything to hurt you." Shelby explained tears falling down her cheeks.

"Why didn't you tell me about him?" Justin asked.

"I didn't think of it."

"Are you sure you weren't trying to hide it from me?" Justin asked.

"Of course not. Why won't you believe me?" Shelby questioned.

"Because this shit happened with Britney. She cheated on me Shelby, she CHEATED on me, yet she kept denying it. I finally caught her with another guy with my own eyes before she finally admitted it. I can't go through that again Shelby. I love you so much, but I can't do this any more." Justin explained.

"What are you saying?" Shelby said feeling her heart breaking.

"I'm saying we're over." Justin shook his head.

"You can't be serious. Why?" Shelby asked crying hard by now.

"Because I don't trust you any more Shelby. These pictures are real, and they're convincing. A picture speaks a thousand words." Justin said throwing the pictures at her feet.

Shelby fell to her knees and cried harder. "Please don't leave me."

Justin opened the door and took one last look at the girl who'd stolen his heart and he felt his heart shatter. He was torn between pulling her off the floor and holding her in his arms and leaving her. He chose the latter has he slammed the door on his way out.

Shelby sat there on the floor crying for what had to be at least two hours. Her world had just come crashing down, her love had just crushed her heart into a million peices. She knew that she would get over it. Iff she'd learned at least one thing through out this whole thing, it was that she was strong on her own. She didn't have to let anyone else tell her how to live or dictate her life. She would be sad and mourn her relationship with Justin, but she could and would move on.

The End
Visit the sequel Welcome To My Life

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=105