A Poetic Retelling Of An Unfortunate Seduction-Life by stimble
Summary:

Some dreams make life crazy. Some dreams tear you down. Lauras dream did both. Seduction-Enticing Someone Astray from Right Behavior. (formaly Sitting waiting wishing) Reviews ARE encouraging Pictures of Laura have been changed and the other pictures have been fixed.

 

 i stoped this story because the site closed down and i lost all my work so i had to restart it...again...and it is now called Best Deceptions. Some names are diffeent but i think you can figure who is who and there are some newer in the new version. Please realize that i have been toying with this idea since i was 14 and it has changed yet stayed the same through the years (now I'm 21). people seem to have like this version better but i feel more confined here but here it is. you can decide which one you like better and i'll continue the one that seems to get the most attention. Maybe i'll continue both, who knows, but i am a college student with a job so i'll be lucky if i can work on any of them. thanks :-)


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Group, Justin Timberlake, Lance Bass
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 20722 Read: 26915 Published: Aug 26, 2008 Updated: Aug 26, 2008
Story Notes:
i stoped this story because the site closed down and i lost all my work so i had to restart it...again...and it is now called Best Deceptions. Some names are diffeent but i think you can figure who is who and there are some newer in the new version. Please realize that i have been toying with this idea since i was 14 and it has changed yet stayed the same through the years (now I'm 21). people seem to have like this version better but i feel more confined here but here it is. you can decide which one you like better and i'll continue the one that seems to get the most attention. Maybe i'll continue both, who knows, but i am a college student with a job so i'll be lucky if i can work on any of them. thanks :-)

1. how they look by stimble

2. prologue by stimble

3. let's get this shit rollin' (1) by stimble

4. first of many failed attempts (2) by stimble

5. make an effort (3) by stimble

6. breaking of barriers (4) by stimble

7. warm wellcomes and harsh rejections (5) by stimble

8. opening up and close calls (6) by stimble

9. an arising of new problems (7) by stimble

10. the uncovering (8) by stimble

11. some people should be kept in the past (9) by stimble

12. coffee and cliff hangers (10) by stimble

how they look by stimble

jamie

http://www.horaz.com/10_People/Hilton_Paris/Ph/ParisHilton_PH_26.jpg

 

john

http://jasonsroom.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/orlando_bloom_14.jpg

 

mike

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/marissamw/ryan9.jpg

 

Laura

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/movieline/young_hollywood_2004_photos/rachel_mcadams/young4.jpg http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/movieline/young_hollywood_2004_photos/_group_photos/rachel_mcadams20.jpg

 

Jared

 

http://mediavillage.com/albums/ABC-Red-Carpet/LR5O3609_2.jpg

 

lynn

 

http://images.zap2it.com/20040706/abc_upfronts04/greys_sandraoh.jpg

 

 

rachjustin.jpg

 

 

irisrachryan.jpg

 

 

 

prologue by stimble
I don’t like boy-bands. I don’t like pop-music, okay I have a New Kids on the Block tape but in my defense it was the 80’s and I was young. If I were to stereotype me it’d be punky/emo/rock/indie/alternative chick… yeah that’s a mighty big stereotype. But it’s who I am. I work for Spin magazine, yeah every music journalist dream, after Rolling Stone. And I have a wonderful husband, which I really don’t deserve considering all the shit we went through the summer he and I got together. Like every other story out there this is about love.

I was 21, the summer before my senior year at Berkley. Of course I was a journalist major, but on the side I also had a band, that I left back at Chicago, along with so many other things. At that point in my life I was all about ‘sex, drugs, and rock & roll’. Nothing mattered but graduating, my internship, and my falling apart band.
Which lead me to the boys of Nsync. It was an assignment given to me by my editor. Little did I know that simply following my dream would nearly lead me to death, a breakdown, and losing some people that meant a lot to me.
let's get this shit rollin' (1) by stimble
Ending week of May.
“Yo, Mary, you got an assignment.” Jared dropped a file on Laura’s desk as he walked by her. “Lynn wants you the come to the meeting in her office.”

“Hey, ass wipe, my name is Laura. I’d think you’d stop calling me Marry, considering I’ve intern here over a month now.” Laura stood up and walked over next to him as they walked to Lynn’s meeting room.

“Nope, not until we get a new staff intern.”

“When is that gonna happen, this is a big name magazine, I thought there would be a ton of interns.”

Jared walked through the hallway with ease; everyone there respected him. Especially compared to practically everyone running into Laura.

“You said it. This IS a big name music magazine, but only an elite few are accepted. We usually take about 3 college kids a year. Consider your self lucky.” He grabbed a cup of coffee from his intern, which is really more like his assistant.

“Oh, okay then.”

Laura was going into her senior year of college at Berkley. Originally she was attending Northwestern University but when she found out she got the summer/fall internship at Rolling Stone she quickly filled out the transfer papers to be closer to her future job. Maybe it was a bit crazy to transfer from the third best Journalism school, but hey, you’d do the same if Rolling Stone magazine was knocking at your door. She left everything behind, her friends, her band, and her family, all for a dream. Of course they where all pissed at her, especially her band, but eventually they’ll understand, she hoped.

Jared knocked at Lynn’s door, their editor.

“Come in.”

They both entered, Laura looking over the file as she took a seat. It was about Nsync. The file was full of random information and recent news on them.

“Okay, this meeting is about an issue out in October it’s a big issue. You know the one for the fall new music release thing. We need to have this to the printers by the end of September.” Lynn spoke from the head of the table.

Laura looked up from the file and took a look around the room. She sat at a rectangular table that seated about 20 people and they were all the top staff reporters, the ones that got the big time stories. What was she doing there? She was just an intern. Okay, maybe she was Lynn’s intern, but still, she was just an intern.

“Well what is the cover you have in mind?” Jamie spoke up, she was basically fourth inline of who runs the magazine. Plus a bitch to who ever she saw as a threat, do I even have to say that she tried to get Laura’s internship expired.

“Right, okay. One of the October covers is Nsync.” Everyone rolled their eyes and seemed to be upset about it. Laura’s eyes went wide; her file held all the Nsync information… was she doing the cover story?

“But this will be Nsync’s third time on the cover, what’s the deal with that?” Jared seemed visibly upset.

“Jared, I know you want Bright Eyes on a cover, but they aren’t ready yet, lets do a story on them, get them popularity, then we’ll take them into consider. I’ve chosen Nsync, again, because they are coming back together and I thought it’d be a good idea.”

“But so are Backstreet Boys. Why aren’t they on the cover?" One of the quieter staff members asked, Mike. He was probably the first person to befriend Laura; he gave her a tour of the place when she kept going in circles.

“Interesting point. Let’s do a joint cover. ‘Two previously rivaling boy bands, coming back from a long hiatus at the same time.’ I like it. We’ll have two reporters on the stories. Jamie, you’ll do the Backstreet Boy one and Mike, do the Nsync one.”

Laura’s happy, excited face literally dropped when the realization that she wasn’t doing the story hit her.

“Wait. I made a mistake, scratch that, Laura you’re doing the Nsync story. Mike you are helping her with it. From what their agents tell me, both of the bands are going on tour starting the second week of June. Jamie you’re going to join the guys and get as much dirt and information you can, you’ll be back by the end of August. Laura the same with you, the only exception is that Mike will be helping with writing it because you are still an intern–“ Lynn was cut off by Jamie.

“EXACTLY!” Jamie stood up and slammed her hands on the table “She’s an intern! How can she do a cover story when she’s been here for less than two months? That’s insane!”

“Jamie, sit.” Jamie’s faced looked a bit embarrassed at her out burst. Every one knows that she’s a bit of a bitch, just a lil’ bit. She sat down with out another word. “I’m the editor and I’ll decide who does what story. I feel Laura can do this, plus she’ll have the help of our best reporter. Now I’m hoping you guys can get this story in the last week of September’s issue, but I’m giving you guys’ tills the second week of October. Laura that means this story has to be ready for print by mid September.”

Lynn went on as people brainstormed on article ideas. Laura was intently listening. From time to time she would steal glances at Mike. He sat there with his trucker hat on, a worn out Doors shirt, and dark wash jeans. Going by what her style of guys are, he was perfect for her, and the thought of working side by side with him made her heart jump.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So how do we get this shit rolling?” Laura flopped down on Mikes couch in is office. He took a quick look at her and leaned his butt on his desk.

“We’ll you’re leaving in two weeks. I guess I’ll be their the first few days to make sure you’re okay, then I’ll just come over a bit to make sure everything is going fine.” He pushed off the desk and sat down next to where she laid down.

“Okay, good, cause three months straight with just those guys, not a great idea.” She picked her head up so that she can use his thigh as a pillow.

“Why? Are you gonna kill them?”

“No, I think I’m gonna end up raping Justin and maybe even Lance or Joey, fuck it, we’ll just have one giant orgy.” Laura laughed at the expression Mike had…she never failed to shock him.

“I don’t think they’ll mind.”

Laura blushed at his comment and he smiled to him self.

“Any way. What else”

“You’re gonna have to interview them separately. Usually artists are easier to talk to by themselves, and putting a few shots of tequila in them doesn’t hurt either. Either way the more open they are the better, that way you can add random quotes from them through out the article.”

“Okay, gottcha.” She looked up at him and gave her best puppy eyes. “Mike I’m starting to get super nervous”

“Why are you so nervous?”

“Because I’m an intern doing a staff reporters job. It’s kinda scary.”
“You’ll be fine, plus I’m backing you up here.”

She closed her eyes and enjoyed him softly playing with her hair.

“Mike, please stay the entire time with me. What if I screw this whole thing up?”

He stared at her peaceful face. Usually she had this tough girl; I can take on the world, face. But right now, she had her guard down and expressing her emotions to him.

“Laura, I wish I could. But this isn’t my story, so I still have other deadlines to make. I’ll come down as much as I can. I promise. And I’ll try to call you often.”

“I’m just gonna miss you.”

His heart seemed to skip a beat. Just as he was about to respond there was a knock at his door.

“Hold on one second.” He nudged Laura. “Yo, get up. Some ones at the door.”

Reluctantly she stood up and rubbed her eyes a bit. Mike walked to door and let the intruder in. Jamie didn’t even wait for Mike to invite her in, she waltz right up to Laura and stared her down as she attempted to make he feel small.

“Don’t think that just because Lynn believes in you that you can do this. You’re just an intern and you’ll fall flat on your ass! My article will out shine yours, this is just setting you up for failure.”

Laura was taken back by this, especially since just about 30 seconds ago she was drifting off to sleep. Yet she was still able to be quick witted.

“Shut up loser.” Okay, maybe not THAT quick witted. “The only reason why you’re going all super bitch is because you either see me as a threat to your career or you see me as a threat to your attempts at Mike.” Eh, better than the other comeback.

“Please, you are merely an idealistic dreamer trying to be a writer. I promise you that you will fail at this. Or you will find a way to mess this up. I’ll make sure of that.” Jamie turned on her heels and headed right back out, but not before stopping the doorway to add in one more comment. “And you being a threat to me and Mike is laughable.” She turned to Mike who was still holding the door open. “See you later Hun.” With that she walked out the door, giving Mike a quick wink.

It was just then that he snapped out of his trance.

“We broke up three months ago! Hell no I’m not seeing you later!” He yelled down the hall to her.

It was then that Laura sat on the couch again, with her head in her hands. Mike walked over to her and soothingly rubbed her back.

“Don’t listen to her, she’s a bitch. That’s why we broke up. She’s just scared of you.”

“Mike, I don’t care about her. I’m just scared of failing. What if I do find a way to mess this up? I always seem to find ways to screw up, by the end of the summer you’re gonna be cleaning up my mess.” Laura stood up and walked out of his office. She had to go for a walk, just leave that environment.

***************

Hey guys, it’s me Laura. I can’t answer the phone right now so just leave a message and I’ll try to reach you as soon as possible.
“Yeah, it’s me Mike, again. You haven’t come to work the past two days. Lynn said that you sounded really bad on the phone. Just so you know, if you don’t come in tomorrow Lynn might give your story to Jamie. Don’t let her win. Please call me. I’ll see you later. Bye”

***************

“Well look who came out from hiding.” Mike walked over to Laura and gave her a giant hug.

“Yeah, whatever. I’m here, lets get this thing going.” Laura walked into his office and they sat around all the scattered information about Nsync. “So what do we have here?”

“This is their file, you left it in my office the other day.”

“What do I do with this stuff?” She pulled out a cigarette and lit it up, pulling an ashtray next to her.

“Read it. It’s basic stuff. You can base questions off of it, you can use it as a back story, or you can use it as a means to get close to them.” He made a mischievous face.

“What do you mean?”

“Laura, you’re hot. They will notice this. Use it to your advantage to get close to them. Look. According to our information, Justin just broke up with Cameron; he’s on the rebound. Joey it married so their might not be much their, but use the family thing to string him on. Lance, unless he is gay, he’s not known for being with many famous girls, use the ‘I’m a girl next door’ to gain his trust. JC, he’s basically a male whore, flaunt what you got. Chris is engaged…ummm…we’ll figure that out later.” Mike randomly pulled out his evidence of accusations. Laura looked on intently.

“So I’m supposed to sort of gain their trust to make the deepest story on them ever?”

“EXACTLY! You catch on quick. Our past articles on them could have easily fit into a Seventeen issue. Fuck that. We need some thing worth Rolling Stone. Forget that ‘What’s your favorite color?’ bullshit.”

“Are you asking me to date one of the guys?”

“NO! Well yeah, but not true boyfriend stuff. Pick one that will take to you the most, or one that will have the most interesting things to say. Hell, go for two.”

Laura smiled a bit at his reaction to her dating one of the guys; she had a feeling he will be checking up on her a lot.

“Two? Now that would be easy especially since I’ll only be living with the both of them, and by the way, they live together! How can I manage that?”

“ ‘Date’ one and lead the other on.”

“Mike, I must say, this side of you is hot.”

“Well, every side of you is hot” He winked at her and smiled when she blushed.

“Any way. When do I leave?”

“We head out to New York June 10. For some reason they wanted to share a bus, like in their old days, whatever, so you’re gonna have to bunk with them.”

“That’s cool. I wanna leave NOW.” She finished her cigarette and put it out in the ashtray.

“Patients girl.”

“I’m just excited, I want to beat out Jamie. Prove to her my article is better. At first she got to me but now, all she did was amp me up.” Laura hopped in place.

“You just want to hook up with Justin already don’t you?” Mike crossed his arms across his chest and gave her a knowing look.

“That too.”

Mike walked up to her and gave her a claming hug. And whispered in her ear.

“Relax, you’re gonna be fine.”

Then why did she feel like this summer was gonna be what tears her down?

“And if you don’t hook up with Justin, you always have me.”

Her breath caught in her throat. Did Mike just officially hit on her?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike and Laura stepped into the arena where the boys where rehearsing for their show tomorrow.

“You two must be from Rolling Stone.” A talk dark man walked up to the two reporters and shook their hands. “I’m Johnny, the boy’s manager. Please follow me and I’ll lead you to the guys.”

They followed him down the gray hallways. Laura’s heart was beating so fast she thought that she’d die. Everything seemed to finally dawn on her. It wasn’t until she bumped into Mike that she realized that they stopped at a door.

“Okay this is their dressing room.” Johnny led them into the room.

As soon as Laura and Mike walked in all the guys stood up and took in their presence. It took Laura a split second to find her “boyfriend”.
first of many failed attempts (2) by stimble
Laura comfortably sat in the limo next to Mike, holding his hand. He was being shipped off to California, back to Rolling Stone and they where on their way to the airport.

“I REALLY wish you’d stay the whole time.” Laura laid her head on his shoulder.

“And I wish I could stay, but I have to do my job. This is your job and mine is back in Cali.” He leaned down and kissed her forehead. “I’ll be back by the end of the month.”

From the corner of her eye she saw Justin staring at them, almost a glare. She turned to look at him but he quickly looked out the window. Ever since the moment she arrived Justin has been staring at her nonstop, mainly when she was with Mike.

“I’m gonna be so bored with out you.” She saw Justin sneak another glance/glare at her, that’s when she decided to bring him into the conversation since he was so intent on listening and staring at them. “Don’t you think Mike should stay Justin?” It seemed as if Justin was about to respond with the same attitude she had but her hard look stopped him.

“I think Mike should do what he has to do. Whether it be stay or go.” Justin gave her a smirk and slightly tilted his head. Two can play her game.

“See Laura, Justin agrees with me. I’ll be back as soon as possible, plus I have to since I’m supervising the article.” He leaned down and lightly kissed her.

“You’re supervising more than her article.” Justin whispered with a bit of a scoff.

“Justin, dear, remind again why you are here while I am dropping off my boyfriend at the airport?” Isn’t it funny how someone puts on a sweet voice in order to be a bitch? It’s a bit of a contradiction is it not?

“Well, honey, I’m doing this so your happy ass can get back to the secured area without being harassed. Plus all the other guys where being assholes and made me go.” Justin smiled at her.

They pulled up to the dropped off area.

“Justin do you mind staying here so I can say bye to him?” For the first time since she had met him she was sincere.

“Yeah, just don’t be to long. We have to be on the road soon.” Justin didn’t look at her, but he stared out the window at all the people running inside to catch their flights.

“Thanks.” Laura stepped out of the limo and walked up to Mike who stood there waiting for her with his bag in hand.

“See you later Justin.” Mike waved and walked inside the airport hand in hand with Laura.

****

“Laura, you got this. Don’t freak.” He held her hand as she stood in front of him. “Before you know it you’ll have these guys eating out of the palm of your hand.” Laura was about to protest to him about their previous plans of attack but he stopped her by putting his finger to her mouth. “Don’t worry about us. You do what you have to in order to get this story. Consider this an open relationship until September.”

Laura gave a mischievous smile. “So this means I can do what ever I want with them? Hell, any one.”

Mike smiled at her and shook his head. “Within reason. Just…” He looked down at the intertwined fingers. “Just don’t fall for any of them.”

“Mike… I don’t know how to respond to that.”

“Well…just don’t keep me in the dark about stuff.” He looked up at her and held the eye contact.

“Flight 748 to Los Angeles, California now boarding.”

They both stared up at the intercom wishing it would just go away.

“I better get going. Plus you don’t want to leave Justin out there to long.” Mike took a step closer to her.

“Eh, he’s waited ten minutes, he can wait another five. Call me when your flight lands.” She held his hand a bit tighter.

“Of course. Call me if you need anything. If there’s a problem I’ll fly out to where ever you are. I promise.”

“Okay.”

Mike closed whatever gap there was between them as he leaned down to kiss her. She wrapped her self in everything about him, hoping it will last her until the next time she saw him. He pulled away, swiftly picked up his bags and walked away, not allowing any more stalling between them.

As she walked through the airport toward the exit, all that roamed her mind was the past three days. It started with her meeting the guys, the next day was their show, and the following was today where she said ‘good-bye’ to Mike.

The night she met the guys is the night she and Mike became a couple. Maybe Mike was fueled by their current situation, not wanting to lose Laura, but either way it ended with them being together.

So far the guys have been welcoming and nice. Justin was the only one a bit withdrawn, but she didn’t blame him, it’s hard when you just get out of a relationship to see other couples all cuddly. Out of all the guys Lance surprised her the most, instantly he welcomed her, every free moment they had he would find something to converse with her about. Had she known him better, she’d say that was his way of flirting, sneaky but productive.

Within what seemed like seconds she was at the limo door. Slowly she opened it and stepped in, seeing Justin fast asleep. She made her best effort to close the door quietly, but he must be a light sleeper because he was up right away.

“Holy shit!” Justin’s eyes focused on her and he calmed down. “Oh, you scared me. What took you so long?” He got comfortable again.

“I got lost. I’m sorry, just go back to sleep. I’ll wake you up when we get there.”

He stood up, as much as the vehicle would allow, and sat next to her. “Do you mind if I lay my head on your lap? I know it’s a weird question, I’m just a bit stress now and I would really appreciate it.”

Laura eyed him questioningly but allowed it. He gently laid his head down on her lap. After a few minutes she gathered the courage to ask him a question, this was the beginning of her gathering information for the article.

“Why are you stress?”

There was no response.

“Justin? Are you up?”

Still, there was no response. Her first attempt and she fails. More than likely the first of many. Great start.
make an effort (3) by stimble
1. What they look like. (not part of the story)2. prologue (0)3. Let's get this shit rollin' (1)4. first of many failed attempts (2)5. make an effort (3)6. breaking of barriers (4)7. Warm wellcomes and harsh rejections (5)8. Opening up and Close calls (6)9. A/N: My bad.10. An arising of new problems (7)11. The uncovering (8)12. Some people should be kept in the past. (9)13. Coffee and cliff hangers (10)14. my baad (not a chapter but please read) “Justin, wake up. Hey man, we’re at the hotel, dude.” Laura slightly shook Justin but got no response. Maybe he wasn’t a light sleeper. After some harsher shoves he slowly opened his eyes.

“Huh? What’s going on?” He looked at his surroundings, a bit confused.

“We’re here. Are you feeling better?”

He still took a while to take everything in. Soon enough he turned to Laura.

“Yeah, thanks. I know that must’ve been odd. But either way, thank you.”

Laura nodded at him and they both stepped out of the car.

“So why are you stressed?” She asked as they walked into lobby.

“Just random things. Don’t worry about it.”

They made their way towards the back where the busses where. Just as they where about to board their bus Laura lightly grabbed his arm.

“Justin, sometimes it’s easier to talk to someone who doesn’t personally know you. They are usually the last to judge.” She tried her hardest to keep a sincere face. It’s difficult when you hardly know the person and you don’t take to easily to new people.

“Well it’s hard to open up to that stranger when they have the ability to tear you and everything you’ve work for down.” Justin held a hard stare towards her.

“I’m not here to do that.”

“Every journalist is out there to get a story of a life time; their ‘big break’. So you go out there, search, dig, whatever the hell it is you guys do, and you bring people down. I won’t let you do this to us.”

“You’re paranoid.” She was about to get on the bus but his voice stopped her.

“No, I’m not. I know you’re type. Rocker chic, hates pop, hates ‘boy bands’. I bet when you heard we where the cover again you rolled your eyes. You think we don’t make real music. Yeah, I know you. My best guess is that your main objective is to get deeper than any one ever has on us, to get the ‘real’ dirt. Well you do what you have to do, but I will not let you bring everything we’ve worked so hard for down.” Justin’s voice was strong and a bit angry. But Laura could hear his fear.

“Whatever it is that you have up your ass, get it out. And realize that I’m not here to do that. My intention is to portray you in the most realistic way as possible. Now if your against letting your public know that you’re human then tell me now so I can give this story to someone else.” Laura decided that she would not let him intimidate her. There she stood, holding her ground and not letting him gain an inch over her.

“You obviously don’t understand the true meaning of having to work hard in life.”

“You don’t know the first thing about me or how my life has been. Until you know what I’ve been through I suggest you shut the fuck up about it.” Laura walked closer to him, never letting her guard down.

“I think I can get a pretty good idea. You attended Northwestern University, only a 40,000 dollars a year school. Gee I wonder who’s paying for that? Could it be mommy and daddy? I’m pretty damn sure your parents gave you everything.” Justin continued his hard stare and closed the remaining gap.

“Oh you’re one to talk rich boy. Like I said, you don’t know shit and I don’t have to explain a damn thing to you. So until you can actually hear me out, keep your fuckin’ mouth shut.” She turned around, making sure her purse hit him.

“Then why don’t you enlighten me?” He was right behind her, not missing a step.

She turned to face him, her face showing some hurt from his assumption of her. Part of her understood Justin’s strong reaction earlier “Because why would I stand her and tell my secrets to the last person I should tell my secrets to?”

Justin’s stern face broke into a slight smile. “I think you’re starting to get me.”

Laura rolled her eyes and finally boarded the bus. She could tell that boy was gonna cause trouble.

X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X

Chris peaked into Laura’s bunk. Thinking she was sleeping.

“All right guys, the coast is clear. So what do you all think of her?” Chris asked as he took a seat next to Justin.

The guys where gathered in the front of the bus as they embarked on the official start of their tour. But as for Chris’s question, all the guys seemed at a lost for words.

“I haven’t really talked to her yet. But so far she seems pretty cool.” Joey spoke up, breaking the silence.

Both JC and Chris nodded in agreement, leaving Justin and Lance with all eyes on them.

“I’ve talked to her a bit here and there. But just little things, like school, home city, how she likes Rolling Stone, nothing big. Basically making her feel comfortable.” Lance shrugged and joined everyone else, staring at Justin.

“What? Okay, her and I may have exchanges a few words.” He avoided their eye contact and played with the koosh-ball in his hands.

“Justin, I heard bits of your conversation with her outside of the bus earlier. What the hell was that man?” Joey started playing his father role again. Only this time is was the father role against him.

“Nothing happened. We just had a little disagreement. Look when our conversation involves you, I promise I’ll tell you right away. But as for now, just ignore it.”

“I don’t want you to fuckin scare her off. This cover is a big deal. Get that through your head. With this cover we are having our arrival official. Laura isn’t that chick from Europe. She didn’t fuck you, and us over. Please give her a chance to prove to us that she is a real journalist and not some tabloid writer.” Joey took on the tone of father talking to a child. Justin simply rolled his eyes.

“Joey, I know she isn’t the same girl. But…” Justin stopped to think about what he was about to say. “Fuck it. Just forget about it. I’ll give her a chance to prove her self, but that doesn’t mean I’m taking my guard down.”

“All I’m asking is for you to back off of her and let her do her job.” Joey’s tone went back to one of a twenty something year old hanging with friends.

“Any way, now that we got that awkward moment out of the way, how do we go about making her welcomed? The past two/three days she’s been with Mike, but now that he’s gone we really gotta do something here.” Chris looked at all the guys waiting for a response.

JC cleared his throat and spoke up. “How about we all just spend some alone time with her? We’ll get to know her and at the same time it’ll help her with the article.”

“Yeah, that’ll work. Even if it’s just eating lunch alone with her, try to set aside some time before the week ends.” Joey took on the leadership role again. “Hey, why don’t we take her to a club tonight, just to get us on a good level with her.” Isn’t it funny how he went from daddy Joey to party Joey?

“Guys I think she’s waking up. Quiet down.” Lance shushed everyone. He thought he heard someone giggle. “Never mind, I guess it just came from outside.”

They all nodded at him and continued their conversation on how to officially welcome Laura.

X*X*X*

Boys are crazy, but Laura learned that a long time ago from her old crowd back in Chicago.

Lying on her bed, Laura heard their whole conversation. It’s cute how into her they are. Yet the only thing that roamed her mind was the European girl that fucked them over, and apparently still affected Justin.

X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X

A/N: I took a quote from the movie Almost Famous, the one about secrets. I just don't want to take credit for that, especially from such an amazing movie.
breaking of barriers (4) by stimble
One week later.

It has been a week since Mike left and the guys have executed their plans for Laura. Now to say they have been taking up ALL of her time would be to say the least. From the moment the plan took affect guys have been doing whatever they thought would be the equivalent of making a girl feel at home. They even bought flowers and air fresheners for the bus.

X*X*X*X*X*

One of the five amigos - Flashback

After getting settled into their dressing room they all made their way to the food carte. Chris was the first to make his attempted at getting to know her.

“So, what are you getting?” He looked at her plate and noticed a salad, water bottle, and soup.

“Nothing much, I’m not really hungry. What about you?” She looked at his plate and saw a sandwich, chicken, some pasta, a salad, and a bottle of Pepsi.

He gave her a silly grin and shrugged his shoulders. “Eh, not much, I’m not that hungry either.”

She looked at him, then to his plate, then back to him and laughed. “You’re such a dork.”

They walked to the nearest free table and took a seat.

“Do you mind if I sit with you.?” He pointed to the free chair across form her.

“Sure. But um…” She cleared her throat and continued. “Do you mind if I ask why you aren’t sitting with the guys?” Her fork point lead to the rest of the group sitting a few tables away, randomly taking looks at them.

“Well, it’s your first day with out Mike, I thought you could use some company.”

“Thank you. But I don’t want you to sacrifice your lunch time with the guys.” Laura seemed to just poke at her salad.

“Please, I’ve spent so much time with the guys, this is a mini-vacation from them.” He watched her randomly poke her salad in nervous action. “So, how do you like it here so far?”

“It’s alright. You guys seem cool. But I really can’t wait until the rest of the guys give me their ‘alone’ time, oh, and the club tonight sounds like fun.” Laura laughed at his shocked expression. Of course she wasn’t going to let them get away thinking she didn’t hear their conversation.

“You know?”

“Duh. You’re all so weird. But I appreciate the effort you’re all making. That simple gesture already made me feel welcomed.” Laura finally ate her salad instead of just trying to make sure it wasn’t alive.

“So should I tell the guys to abort the mission?” He smiled at her and put a ton of pasta in his mouth.

“No, don’t do that. I would like to have sometime getting to know each of you personally. It will make me more comfortable.”

“Okay. So, honestly, how do you like it here?” Chris took in some more of his pasta.

“I am a bit homesick.”

“Oh, do you miss Rolling Stone or Berkley?”

“Neither. I miss Chicago.” She poked her salad again and took a fork full of it.

“Oh, I didn’t know you’re from Chicago. That’s cool.”

“You didn’t know I went to Northwestern?” Laura turned around and took a quick glance at Justin, who was staring at her. “I thought you guys knew.”

“All we where told about you is that you attend Berkley, intern at Rolling Stone, and Mike was helping you with the article. But you went to Northwestern, wow.”

“Yeah, but enough about me. What’s up with you?” She smiled at him and they continued the conversation.

End Flashback

X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*

“No! Not that way! Wait, there, there! Retard, kick, kick! I can’t believe a girl is beating you! Loser!” Ah, the sounds of grown men playing video games and cheering on their fellow male species was music to Laura’s ears. Everyone was gathered in the back of the bus as the guys attempted to defeat the current champion of Mortal Kombat, Laura. Joey was about to become her recent defeat.

“GUYS! Shut up. Y’all are not helping here!” Joey sat on the floor next to Laura as he shook his remote. Moving it around as if it would affect his player.

“ ‘Finish Him!’ OH, it would be my pleasure. Bye, bye Joey. Or should I say ‘bye, bye, bye’?” Laura’s player killed Joey’s as the guys ‘oooo’ him.

“Damn she got you.” JC patted Joey’s shoulder and stood up to stretched. “I’m gonna go to my bunk and try to catch some sleep before we get to the arena. Wake me when we get there.” He left the room.

“I’m done playing you.” Joey stood up, put the remote on the floor and heading towards the front of the bus. “I better go give Kelly a call before she starts bitching.”

“Oh shit, I told Danielle I’d call her at 11… opps. Catch you guys later.” Christ left the room. Leaving Lance, Justin, and Laura alone.

“Now, as much as I’d love to sit here and hang with you Laura, I have some business to attend to with my downward spiraling management company.” Lance stood up from his seat on the couch behind Laura. On his way out he lightly touched Laura’s back, getting her attention. “Are we still on for coffee later?”

“Yeah, if you aren’t to tired from your rehearsal.” Laura looked up at him and bit her bottom lip.

“I won’t be.” Lance winked at her and turned to Justin. “Hey, when you have a minute can we talk after I’m done with my phone calls?” Lance held his cell phone in his hand as he stood by the doorway.

“Yeah.” Justin nodded and took the seat next to Laura on the floor, picking up the control.

“Thanks. Bye guys.” Lance left the room.

“You guys seem pretty close. You’re having coffee tonight?” Justin stared at her intently as she obviously avoided his stare.

“Yeah. He’s cool.”

“Really? What do you guys talk about?”

Laura turned to face him; she knew this was going to lead into one of those conversations of her not ruining their lives…whatever. “We talk about work, school, politics, theories, friends, family, to sum it up, this little thing called LIFE.”

Yeah, she had her ‘don’t fuckin’ start with me’ tone of voice. Justin seemed to learn that one quick. “Sorry. Do you like him?”

“I just met him, I just met all of you guys. Plus I have a boyfriend. I’m not looking for another one.”

“Well, true, you are taken. But there are some people that have open relationships. Are you and Mike like that?” Justin’s question seemed to have more to it than he let on.

“That’s a bit personal Justin.” Laura give a bit of a glare to him but she continued to talk knowing he’d use that statement as an arguing point. “Even though that is none of your business, the most I’ll say is; Lance isn’t someone I want more than a friendship with.”

Justin was about to smile at her but he stopped him self, this time he’ll think twice before he jumped into anything. “Well, from the way Lance is around you, you better let him know that.”

Laura let his words and the week’s recent events sink in. Was Mike’s plan really going to work?
warm wellcomes and harsh rejections (5) by stimble
A/N: This is still a flashback to her first day without Mike. And her encounter with J.C, Lance, and Justin will be in the next Chapter. Thank you all for your patience and reviews are welcomed!

Second Amigo Flashback

After rehearsals the same day that Chris and her had their getting to know each other moment.

Joey strolled into the dressing room that was vacant with the exception of Laura, who was doing work on her laptop. He took the seat next to Laura and stared at her for a few seconds before he spoke.

“So Chris tells me that you know of our little plan.”

Laura looked up from her laptop, closed the cover, placed it on the floor, and flashed him a smile.

“Yeah, I was sort of awake through your entire conversation. Sorry.”

“It’s okay, now that I think about it, it’s kind of a stupid idea.” He leaned over closer to her.

His comment seemed to hit at her heart a bit. “What do you mean? You don’t want to get to know me?”

“No, that’s not what I meant. Wow that really did come out wrong. I meant that we shouldn’t have to set aside time to talk to you and get to know you. That sort of thing should have just been obvious.” He kept eye contact with her.

“It’s okay. Some times people just need a little push. Justin had his push, he doesn’t like journalist.” She shrugged her shoulders and played with the hem of her shirt.

Joey sighed and rubbed his eyes. “Yeah, about that. Justin…is stupid. He’s just being moody because of Cameron. I apologize on his behalf. Plus we’ve all had some issues with some reporters in the past, especially Justin.”

“I understand that you’re all a bit hesitant, it’s no big deal. I just don’t like the way he went about it. But enough about this yucky topic; what’s up?” She patted his thigh, rested her head on her hand, and leaned that elbow against the arm of the couch.

“Nothing, I miss my family.” He seemed to relax a bit, and just sank into couch.

“Oh, why can’t you bring them on the road with you?”

“Well, there wouldn’t be any room. Plus the road isn’t a place to raise a baby.”

“True. So I’m guessing the hiatus you guys took was a bit of a happy time.” She adjusted her self and got comfortable.

“Yeah. But it was also a bit sad.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, for so long I’ve spent almost every day with the guys. I guess the idea of not seeing each other all the time never crossed my mind, kind of like the idea of there not being an Nsync was never really an option. And to suddenly not see them as much; it just felt weird. Plus I missed the stage.” His voice lowered and he rested his head against the back frame of the couch. “Yet there is part of me that was almost ecstatic that Nsync might have been done with.”

“But you just said you missed the guys and the stage.”-

“Yeah, I did, but I didn’t miss the media, or the INSANE fans. I didn’t miss the paparazzi, or the critics. But you can’t always have what you want.” His eyes where closed and the realization that he WAS talking to the media hit. But this time he just didn’t care.

“Yeah. So if it was up to you, would this be the groups’ last tour?”

“I think so. This might actually be the groups’ last tour. There comes a point in your life where you realize that it’s okay to do what you want to do until it’s time to do what you have to do.”

“What do you think it is that you have to do?” Laura looked at him, hoping he’d make some eye contact, but he seemed to be to relax.

“It’s time for me to be a daddy, a husband, and to think of a career outside of Nsync. I guess you can say it’s time for me to grow up.”

“I know what you mean.” Laura soon found her self in the same position Joey was in, almost falling asleep.

“How so?”

“Well, it’s life, people grow up and get older.” Laura tilted her head to face him, only to find him doing the same. “You’re just growing up.”

“You know what?” Joey gave her a lazy smile.

“What.”

“I don’t know about you but if I stay in this position I’m gonna fall asleep.” Joey stood up and jumped in place a bit.

“Right.” Laura sat up straight. “What time is it?”

“Almost seven. I have to go get my hair and makeup done, plus get dressed.”

“What time do you guys go on stage?” She stood up and walked with him towards the door.

“Eight thirty.”

They struggled to keep their eyes open as they walked down the hallways towards the hair and make up room.

Laura took a lazy glance at him and laughed. “So I’m guessing the club is canceled tonight?”

“Hell no. I need something to take me down a few notches after a show. So we are most definitely clubbing tonight.” That seemed to really wake him up.

As they approached the room Joey stopped her and put on his sincere face.

“Laura, I’m not gonna lie, I really did like our talk today.”

“Thank you.” Laura smiled at him and he stood by the door.

“Cool. You better be ready for tonight, we are gonna dance our fuckin asses off.” Joey mood went from soft to happy-go-lucky in an instant. He opened the door for her and they headed into the room as she laughed at him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So, since this is technically my night, cause y’all are doing this for me, can I pick the club?” Laura flopped on the couch in Joey’s room while Joey was in the bathroom getting ready. Lance was laying on one of the vacant beds looking ready to fall asleep.

“Do you know this area?” Lance’s voice was low and he spoke slowly.

“No, but I was hoping you guys can pick a place that would have SOME Latin vibe.” Laura turned her body to face Lance who had his arm over his eyes.

“Well, the only ones I know about you have to be 21 to get in. How old are you again?” Lance sat up and looked at Laura. He studied the way she was sitting, her body language spoke volumes. Mainly it said that she was comfortable around them.

“My Happy ass is 21…SCORE!” Maybe her mood was a little bit too comfortable.

“Laura, tell me the truth. Have you had any drinks tonight so far?” Lance stood up and sat next to her on the couch.

“Yeah, I had like three shoots of Tequila.”

“Okay then, do me a favor, drink some water, have some food, and wait at least an hour till your next drink.” Lance walked over to the mini bar, grabbed some bottles of water, and handed them to Laura.

“Even though I appreciate how you are trying to watch over me, I am a big girl, and trust me when I say I can handle a hell of a lot more liquor than you’d think. I’ve done some pretty crazy things in the past and drinking to the point of passing out doesn’t even make my list. So thank you for caring but I’ll be fine.” Laura stood up and walked to the full-length mirror, fixing her outfit and makeup. “Joey move your ass before I take mine to bed.”

“Okay, let’s go.” Joey said as he stepped out of the bathroom and took a look at Laura’s outfit, nodding in approval. The three of them left the room and met up with the rest of the guys downstairs in the back lobby. “Hey where are we headed to?”

“I really don’t care, since I don’t know this area, but just take me to a club that would play at least one Spanish song.” Laura stood between Lance and Justin as she continued to fidget with her short skirt.

Justin leaned down to whisper in her ear. “If you keep messing with that you’ll end up accidentally pulling it down. I suggest you stop.” He didn’t look at her; he kept his eyes straightforward. All she could respond with was a pout. “Guys I know a really good spot. It has different music areas. One of them is a Spanish music area. Lets go.”

Surprisingly there weren’t any screaming fans. Maybe because most of their fans where past that age now. All the guys where able to walk around with just a pair of sunglasses concealing their identities, occasionally they would have a few fans, but aside from that they where fine.

Three hours later

Taking Laura to a club could have possibly been the best idea any of them had in order to break down their barrier. With the exception of Justin, Laura danced with all of them. The only time Justin left the table was to go to the bathroom or check to see if ‘someone’ called.

“Lance, not to stereotype you or anything, but how did a white boy like you learn how to dance Salsa?” Laura asked Lance as he turned her.

“Well, Chris’s fiancé is half Spaniard and she knows all these dances. How do you know to dance like this? Especially in heels like those?” Lance gave her another turn and pulled her into him.

“My mom is Mexican and my dad is white. And after my parents split I went with my mom so I spent most of my life with a Hispanic lifestyle.” Laura pulled away and did some twists of her own then went back to Lance.

“Oh, so did you have that big 15th birthday party thing?” The song ended and Lance lead her to the bar.

“No, my mom is poor, and since my Dad’s culture doesn’t involve that celebration he refused to help pay for it. So yeah, whatever, I had a cool birthday though, just me and my mom.”

“That’s nice.” Lance turned to the bartender and placed an order. “Two Coronas and–“

“A screwdriver.” Laura finished his sentence for him, ordering her drink.

“Thirteen dollars up front.” The bartender pulled out the beers and had Laura’s drink ready. Lance paid the guy and they walked away drinks in hand.

“What time is it?” Laura asked Lance as they approached their table.

“Hold this beer.” Lance handed her a beer, glanced at his watch and took the beer back. “It’s 3:30. We should be heading out now.”

“Yeah. I am definitely feeling the effects of all my drinks. Tomorrow you will not be seeing a happy Laura.” Laura took a seat at their table next to Justin, Lance sat across from them.

“I thought you handle liquor well?” Lance gave her a teasing smile and handed one of the beers to Justin.

“That I do, but I don’t handle hangovers well. See my dad gave me his high tolerance for liquor and my mom gave me her HORRIBLE hangovers.” Laura shook her head in shame and turned to Justin. “Having fun? I haven’t seen you dance all night.”

Justin looked at her with a dead stare. “I’m not feeling so good.”

“Come on, dance with me. Please?” Laura lightly tugged at his arm only to have him snatch it away.

“I’m going back to the hotel now. I’ll take a taxi.” Justin chugged the last of his beer.

“Umm, we have to be on the bus by 10:30 am, I’ll see you later I guess.” Lance’s face still held some shock from Justin’s rude response to Laura’s question.

“Yeah I’ll see you later.” Justin stood and pushed past Laura who still seemed a bit shocked. They watch Justin walk away; his sulking mood was evident.

“Lance I’m gonna go now too, these shoes are killing me. I’ll see y’all in the morning.” Laura finished her drink and followed Justin outside. Once she was outside she kept her distance from him.

Justin pulled out his phone and dialed a number. His impatience and irritation was obvious. He tapped his foot as he waited for an answer and sighed in frustration when he got what Laura assumed was a voicemail.

“Hey Cam, it’s me J. I’m calling cause I need to talk to you; I think we can still work something out. I know it’s only been a month but I really miss you and I need to be with you again. Please just call me, don’t avoid me. I love you. Bye.” Justin ended the call and flipped the cover down. He leaned over towards the curve and waved down a taxi.

“Justin wait up! I’m going to the hotel too.” Laura figured now was a good time to make herself known.

Justin sighed and held the door open for her. “Hurry up before I change my mind.” Laura quickened her pace and stepped into the cab and slid to the other side of the car. Right after her Justin slid in and closed the door. “Sir, we’re going to the Hyatt Regency near the arena.” Justin said to the driver.

“No problem.” The driver said as he drove towards their hotel.

“Justin, you hurt my feelings back at the club.” Laura crossed her arms against her chest and looked out of the window.

“Really? I didn’t realize people who ruin others lives had feelings.” Justin’s stance was identical to Laura’s.

“Oh my god, not that bullshit again. Listen–“ Laura was cut off by Justin catching her tried-and-failed sneakiness.

“How much of my attempted contact at Cameron did you hear?” Justin turned to her giving a hard stare.

Laura was dumbfounded. How was she to respond to that? Her ride to the hotel and her stay there was going to be interesting until the rest of the guys arrived.
opening up and close calls (6) by stimble
(A/N I know I said this chapter would be JC, Lance, and Justin but I got a flow going and this conversation was really important and I figured it deserved it’s own chapter.)

The Encounter with the Third Amigo

The cab ride to the hotel

Laura turned to face him, matching his glare. “What the fuck are you talking about?”

“Don’t play that innocent role with me. Maybe the rest of the guys fall for it but I won’t. Why did you follow me?”

“I didn’t follow you for the reason that you have imbedded in your head. Honestly, I followed you so I can bitch at you for being so fucking rude to me! Seriously Justin, the world doesn’t revolve around you. I don’t have this evil, diabolical plan to ruin you. So do me a favor and stop being such a fuckin’ ass.” If it was possible, Laura pushed her self further into the door, away from him.

“Whatever your reason was, you heard something you shouldn’t have. What did you hear?” Justin’s nose’s seemed to flare a bit, she wondered if that was an indication that he was mad.

“I heard all of it.” Laura’s voice was strong and unwavering.

“Shit. Why did you have to go outside? That was not meant for you to hear!” Justin turned away from her and stared out of his window. “The last thing I need right now is the tabloid posting this everywhere.”

“How many times do we have to go over this? I am not a tabloid writer! Jesus Justin, I’m not here to ruin your fuckin’ life! What do I have to do to prove it to you?”

“You’ll have to do a hell of a lot more than just prancing your pretty self around and batting your eyes.” As soon as Justin said it he regretted it. He could only hope that she was mad enough to not read into what he said and that she didn’t take it for what he really meant; that she was the first person to get his mind off of Cameron.

“Like what? Do you want me to expose my whole self to you? Would that make you comfortable? You know, since we’ll be even because you’ll have my secrets and I’ll have yours.” Laura looked at him from the corner of her eye and saw him intently staring at her. What she meant as a sarcastic comment Justin took seriously.

“I’m not gonna lie, that would make me feel better about you being with us all the time.” He studied her facial features, they where strong and showed a lot of strength gained over her short life.

“What else is there for you to know about me? Apparently you already know some details about my life that none of the other guys know.” She turned to face him and saw he kept his intent staring of her.

Justin was about to reply when the driver interrupted them.

“We’re at your stop. That’ll be $25.82.”

Justin handed the driver thirty dollars. “Keep the change.” He opened his door and let him and Laura out of the car. The walk to their rooms was a silent one. Laura was waiting for Justin to reply to her comment, while Justin was avoiding her discovery of his little investigation on her. They reached Justin’s room and he reached for the doorknob.

“Justin, stop avoiding the issue.” Laura stepped in front his door, blocking his way into the room. “How do you know that I went to Northwestern?”

“Your editor told us about you. Can you move so that I can go to sleep?” Justin tried to slightly nudge her aside but she didn’t budge.

“I strongly suggest that you don’t lie to me.” Laura locked eyes with him, almost like a staring contest.

“You aren’t one for me to impress, I have no need to lie to you.”

“I may not be someone you need to impress but I am someone that you fear.” Laura slightly raised an eyebrow and had a smirk on her face.

“And why exactly do I fear you?” Justin took a step back and crossed his arms against his chest.

“Isn’t it obvious? You’ve only said about 5 millions times.” Laura’s voice had a bit of amusement in it as Justin stared at her dumbfounded. “I have the ability to ruin your life. If I wanted to, I can portray you in the worst light ever, Rolling Stone wouldn’t care; they’d be ecstatic. Now tell me, how do you know that I went to Northwestern.”

“How do you know that’s not what your magazine editor told us?” It was Justin’s turn to give her that ‘look’.

“Because I asked the rest of the guys what school did the magazine say I went to, they all said Berkley. And they where surprised when I mentioned that I am from Chicago. Now I’ll ask you again before I decide to go super bitch on you. How do you know I’m from Chicago and went to Northwestern?” Laura’s tone changed from playful to serious.

He took a deep breath, what he was about to say was going to involve a lot of explanation. “When I found out that we where going to have a reporter on tour with us, I Googled your name.” Justin looked down, as if hiding his head in shame.

Laura’s eyed widen in a bit of panic. Once she Googled her name herself and a lot of articles about her past came up. “What did you find out?” She spoke slowly and softly.

“Actually, a lot more than I think you want me to know.” Justin looked up and saw her looking down the hall in sort of a daze, her eyes a bit watery. He was about to continue when the sound of elevators rang through to their ears. Laura was still in a daze so Justin took that opportunity to slide around her and open his door. “Laura,” she looked up at him in acknowledgement, “if you want to continue talking, lets take this inside my room before the guys or someone else over hears.”

Laura nodded and slowly walked into his room. “What exactly do you know?” She stood almost frozen in a standing position near his door.

“Well, first of all, I’m assuming that this will take longer than five minutes so I suggest we get comfortable. I recommend you taking off those painful looking heels.” Justin walked into his bathroom. “Just take a seat on my bed. I’m paying attention, I’m just packing up some of my things.”

Laura sat on his bed, her shoes sitting neatly by the exit. “Well like I asked before; what do you know?” Once again she was fidgeting with her skirt.

“Umm, I know you’re from Chicago, and that you attended Northwestern. Your dad is one of those powerful wealthy people. He owns chains of restaurants and a construction corporation, your parents are divorced, and you have an older brother that graduated from Purdue University.” Justin walked out of the bathroom in boxers and an undershirt. “Here, you’re probably uncomfortable in that.” He handed her a pair boxer shorts and a t-shirt.

“Thank you.” Laura stood up and walked into the bathroom to change. “Justin, I know you know more than that about me. What else did you read?” She called out from the bathroom.

“Yeah, well, that you are or were in a band. By the way, I like some of your songs. I also know that you kind of got into a bad crowd.” Justin sat on his bed and stared at his hands. “Your ex-boyfriend, John, was caught dealing at a gig you guys played at. And---“

Laura walked out of the bathroom into the bedroom area and finished his sentence for him. “And I was charged with conspiring in the distribution of an illegal substance.” She took a seat, comfortably, next to him.

“Yeah. I have a question about that. From all the articles I read, it doesn’t seem to add up to why where you charged, what did they have against you?”

“They caught me dealing some pot. I dealt to a cop, that’s how they found out about everything. But they let me go with a fine.” Laura pulled her legs to herself, sitting Indian style on the bed.

“Why did they let you go if you were caught red-handed?”

“I’m the daughter of a powerful man in Chicago, my daddy paid the cops off to say my boyfriend was caught dealing, and the only part I played was knowing about it. My boyfriend and my other friends got let go because they lead the cops to an even bigger fish.” Laura was a little hesitant in letting him know this about her, but he already knew.

“Wow. So do you smoke?” Justin’s voice was a little more eager that she would have thought.

“Yeah, not as much as I used to but if it’s around I take some hits. Do you smoke?” A smile broke on Laura’s face when he looked away, as if a bit shy.

“I guess it’s only fair for me to truthfully. Yeah I do, but not as much either, if it’s around I’ll do it but I won’t go looking for it.”

“Okay, so two nights ago, when Mike left, why did you go all ‘Laura is a spoiled little rich girl that doesn’t know shit about life’ on me when you knew the crazy stuff I did?” Laura laid down on the bed, feeling the effects of the alcohol making her lightheaded.

“Well I was hoping you’d tell me your self, I guess my weird way of you proving that you are trustworthy to me. And when you think about it, your dad always bailed you out, so you never really faced the consequences of your actions.” Justin laid down beside her.

“True, which is probably why I continued to rebel. I always had this notion that daddy will save me, hell, I still do. The only person that kept me grounded was my mom, but most of my crazy stuff was after 18 and by that point I moved in with my dad.” Laura looked at Justin and smiled. “So do you trust me now?”

“Honestly?”

“Yeah.” Laura knew the answer before he said it, his eyes told her.

“It’s hard for me to trust people. Can you blame me? But I think before you leave us, I will trust you on some level.” His eyes showed sadness but he smiled at her any way.

“Justin, why did you decide to ‘investigate’ me? Where you that nervous about having a reporter here?” She searched his face for any clues to how he was feeling, but he seemed to have shut his emotions off.

“After all the shit the group has been through since we started, it’s been hard for me to let people into my life. In this business you learn fast that not everyone wants the best for you. And you learn fast that people aren’t who they say they are. I figured if I know who you are before you know me, I’d have the upper hand.” Justin looked away from her and focused on the ceiling.

“Oh, well that’s sounds nice, now tell me the real reason. Tell me about the girl from Europe that screwed you over.” Laura continued to stare at him and saw his face show some panic.

“How do you know about that?” His low voice spoke with a megaphone; it said ‘I’m scared’.

“The morning after we dropped off Mike the night before, when you all thought I was sleeping, I heard everything.” Laura found her self secretly scooting away from, from what she’s seen so far, he gets angry quickly.

“Stop putting space between us, I’m not gonna get all angry and stupid on you. I’m just trying to absorb this and think of a logical response.” Justin took a deep breath and looked at Laura. “The girl from Europe spent a weekend with us when we first started out. She wanted to really get to know us so that she can introduce us to the public properly. Whatever. At that point in our career we didn’t care what she wanted to do, we where just happy to have some publicity. Well that weekend I spent most of my time with her and things escalated to what I thought was a relationship.”

“But when you all started in Europe you where only like 15/16 years old. This girl must have been over or at least 18. How did something like that happen?” Laura saw sadness in his eyes; it was taking a lot of him to tell her this. Instinctively she reached out for his hand and held it there in a comforting manner.

Justin took a quick look at their entwined fingers and went back to their eye contact “Yeah, well apparently she knew that but she was too concerned with getting the dirt on us that she didn’t care. But I cared; I thought her and I really had connection. It’s been over seven years since the incident, but I still think about it, I still go over it in my head trying to figure her out. I realized that everything she told me was just what I wanted to hear. She made her self appear to me as the perfect person. So being the stupid love sick puppy I was I told her everything.”

He looked back at their hands and brought it to his chest, pulling her closer to him. “She crushed me. I was so wrapped up into her that I didn’t realize that what I told her could possibly harm us. After that weekend she did kept contact with me. I thought she was my girlfriend and she led me to believe that. But a few weeks had passed and her calls decreased. Eventually we just lost contact.

I was truly heart broken. It felt like someone tore my heart out and jumped all over it. About a month after it ended we got a call from the magazine she worked for. They said that our article was out and they’ll fax it over to us. Well everything I told her, everything about the guys was out. We honestly thought we were ruined. Some how our PR was able to turn it around to create our own individual images and stuff.” His eyes focused on her hand that he held tightly in his.

“So is that how you all got your nick names? You where the baby and Joey was the flirt, stuff like that.” Laura scanned his body and how comfortable he seemed to be at the moment. The way they were position you’d think that they were a couple. Justin held her hand on top of his chest, her whole body was turned towards him and he was lying on his back.

“Yup, she was the cause of that.” He still was still staring at their hands when he decided to lightly play with her fingers. Running his finger along the outline of her hand.

“Justin, I’m not going to do that to you guys. Believe me. I’m here to portray you as humans, not to tear you down.” She rested her head on top of his shoulder. Maybe it was all the drinks that made them really relaxed.

“I’ve dealt with so much heart ach these past few years that whatever it is that you end up doing to me won’t effect me. But if you hurt the guys I will feel that pain. If you plan expose us completely, please focus on me, the guys don’t deserve to be dragged into another horrible article because of my stupidity.” Justin looked at her with pleading eyes.

“Justin, I hope this will be the last time I tell you this, I will not bring you guys down. If anything I would hope to bring you guys a new level of respect from the industry. I’ll make a deal with you; every thing that happens on this tour is open for me to use in my article unless you or the guys state that what will happen or what happened is not to be disclosed to any one else.” Laura smiled when he looked at her with a relieved expression.

“That seems fair.” Justin flashed her a smiled and pulled his hand away from hers to wrap his arm around her body. “Laura, what we talked about and what ever else we’ll talk about tonight, don’t use it in your article. You can mention vague bits, but please don’t get detailed about it.” He hugged her close to him.

“Don’t worry ‘bout it.” She looked up at him when she felt him playing with her hair. The urge to kiss him was almost unbearable. Her method of not giving in was to keep talking. “Do you realize that our conversation started as an argument?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry for being an ass, I’m just still pissed about the Cameron deal. And I guess since I was unsure about you, when I found out you heard my conversation it just set me off a bit.” He stopped playing with her hair and just held her closer to him.

“So are we cool now?” Him being so close had her thinking ‘Mike who?’

“To be up front with you, it’ll take a while before I can fully trust you. But as far as us just being cool with each other, yeah we are.” Justin rested his hand on her hipbone.

“Justin, answer me truthfully here.” She took a deep breath and continued. “If I didn’t have a boyfriend, and if we didn’t just get over our arguing, would you object to me kissing you?”

“No I wouldn’t. But you do have a boyfriend.” Justin traced the outline of band of the shorts she had on.

“Right, I have a boyfriend.” As if almost on cue her cell phone made a jingle noise indicating that she received a text message. She stood up and took her phone out of her purse; it was Mike

Hey babe, call me when you wake up. Miss you tons. Luv Mike.

“What is it?” Justin sat up and looked at her with almost sad eyes.

“A text from Mike.” She closed her phone and turned to him. “So, I better get going. We have to be up in about five hours.” She gathered her things. Justin stood up and walked her to his door.

“Laura, if I were to kiss you right now, would you object?” He stepped into some of the space between them and kept eye contact with her.

“Yes I would. I have a boyfriend and we still have the effects of all our drinks still running through us.” She filled in the rest of space between them and pressed her lips against his cheek. “But had our circumstance been different, who knows what would have gone down tonight. I’ll see you later.” She saw him lick his lips and inch towards her lips but she was able to open the door and leave before he did something they both would regret.

The short walk to her room was her longest walk yet. Not only did Laura just want Justin physically, she wanted him entirely. Timing just sucks sometimes.
an arising of new problems (7) by stimble
1. What they look like. (not part of the story)2. prologue (0)3. Let's get this shit rollin' (1)4. first of many failed attempts (2)5. make an effort (3)6. breaking of barriers (4)7. Warm wellcomes and harsh rejections (5)8. Opening up and Close calls (6)9. A/N: My bad.10. An arising of new problems (7)11. The uncovering (8)12. Some people should be kept in the past. (9)13. Coffee and cliff hangers (10)14. my baad (not a chapter but please read)

 (A/N: My Bad on taking so long!!!!! Sorry, I promise to get better at updating! By the way this story has no real date, it’s universal in that sense. Their ages I’m going to try to keep it as close as possible but I’ll be pretty much making them up. Why? Because it’s my story and I can. I’m just super cool like that. So please no comments about what their real age is because I really don’t care. Their ages will be as close as possible to their real ages.) 

“So I’m guessing this is how unhappy, hangover Laura looks.” Lance sat in the empty seat next to her. He set down a plate with pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, and hash browns; all to be followed by a large glass of orange juice.

Laura could hardly smell the food, let alone look at it; she simply laid her head on the table, attempting to hide her face. “Have a mentioned I hate you today?”

“Yup, this morning when I banged on your door, then when I had you listen to a song that was accidentally on full volume.”

She slowly opened one eye in time to see him smile at her. ”Are you trying to teach me a lesson?”

“Maybe I am.”

“And what would that lesson be master Yoda?”

“Watch alcohol intake one should.” He took a forkful of food and shoved it in his mouth when he saw she was completely watching him.

“I’m okay when I drink, it takes A LOT to get me dunk, but simply getting a buzz leaves me with a horrible hang over.” She rubbed her eyes and looked back to him. “So when do we get our official little moment to get to know each other?”

“Well, tonight we’ll be on the road and doing interviews. Tomorrow we have rehearsals, so how about then? We can go out for coffee; away from the chaos I call the other guys.” Lance continued to eat as he waited for her response.

“Okay, that sounds good.” She nodded her head and stood up. “I’m off to get some water and aspirin.”

“Wait, what happened between you and Justin last night?” His eyes where focused on the food in front of him, which was in Laura’s favor, if he saw her he would have saw her ‘deer in head lights’ look.

“What do you mean?”

“You guys left the club at the same time, I’m just assuming you guys shared a cab. I’m sorry, am I wrong?” He stopped eating and took a quick glance at her.

“Oh, yeah, we shared a cab but we didn’t talk or anything. I’m…uhh…I’m gonna try to find something to help out this headache, I’ll see you on the bus.” Laura left the hotels restaurant and wandered her way into the gift shop in search for Tylenol. In the midst of choosing between the super size bottle or a simple package, she encountered an unexpected guest.

“So do me a favor and don’t avoid my question the way you did to Lance.” JC stood next to her looking through the rack of postcards. “What happened between you and Justin last night?”

Laura looked up at him then back to her choices. “Nothing, we shared a cab and then went our separate ways.”

“I saw you two go into his room. So I’ll ask you again, hopefully this time the response won’t be a lie. What happened between you and Justin last night?” JC stopped fiddling with the cards and turned to face her.

“Honestly, nothing happened. We hung out in his room, talked, and then I left about an hour later.”

“Are you sure that’s all that happened? Maybe you sort of blurred some parts out.”

“JC, I had a lot to drink, but I didn’t have enough to not remember if I slept with someone.” She settled for the big bottle, figuring she will be encountering many more mornings with headaches. “You guys are really over protective of each other. Do you all interrogate every girl that Justin takes to his room?”

“No.”

“Then why do I get to be the chosen one?” She took her bottle to the cashier and paid for it.

“Forget this ever happened.” JC turned from her and walked out of the store but was closely followed by Laura.

“You’re worried I’ll do the same thing the girl from Europe did.” Laura practically ran into him when he stopped dead in his tracks.

JC turned to face her. “I’m going to assume that Justin told you about it so I’ll just leave it at that. But yeah I am worried you may do the same thing. You are the first reporter to actually spend some real time with us since the incident with her.”

Laura rubbed her eyes and turned around, walking towards the exit for their busses. “Am I gonna go through the mistrust phase with each of yall?”

JC followed her on to the bus. “Yeah, you probably will, only the extremity will vary by member. And guess what, your more than likely have this problem with every celebrity you interview. You’re an just officially starting out, so I suggest you get to used to.”

“So all of you don’t trust me? Great, this is gonna be a fun three months.” She took a seat on one of the couches in the front of the bus. JC sat next to her.

“Like I said, it will vary by the members. There are guys like Lance and Chris that are simply apprehensive yet fully willing to participate. Then you have Justin that basically refuses to say a single word to you, well that was until last night, which I am still assuming that you guys made up.” JC turned his body to face her.

“Ish, we sort of called a truce, yet in the process we may have ended up making things awkward between us.” She closed her eyes for a second then turned to face him again.

“How so?” He crossed his arms over his chest.

“Nothing really happened, nothing physical. We just got close; our actions were those that couples do. I’m pretty sure it was all just a big mixture of Alcohol, me missing Mike, him missing Cameron, and the fact that before we became cool with each other we were fighting. I guess we’re both used to having make up sex after a fight.”

“And there was none of that?” He dropped his arms and simply set them on his knee.

“Unfortunately no.” She gave him a small smile and decided now was a good time to change the subject. “Any sex for you last night?”

JC dropped his head in shame and shook it. “Unfortunately no. You’d think that since now most of our fans are 18 I’d be getting more action, but no. No one is very interested in sleeping with an ageing pop star.”

“You’re not old. What are you? 28?”

“Yeah I am, but according to a girl I approached yesterday, I look WAY cuter on T.V. and in magazines. But in person I SO TOTALLY look older and icky.” He looked at her with sad eyes but he still smiled a bit in effort to diffuse the pain of the girls’ words.

“Eh, who wants a girl that talks like she’s still twelve any way? (A/N: No offense to ANY 12 year olds!) You should be trying to hook up with some hot, legal to drink, girl. Next time we go out I’ll find her for you.” She patted his knee.

He laughed and shook his head at her. “You’re one of those crazy, ‘in the moment’, girls aren’t you?”

“Oh yeah, I throw a kick ass party. I was the queen of great parties at Northwestern” Laura gave him a mischievous smile. He smiled along with her but at the mention of Northwestern, his face gloomed a bit. “Hey, are you okay? Did I say something?”

He took a deep breath and glanced at her. “Would you be sad, feel a bit empty, if you never went to college?”

“Well considering that I need a degree for my career choice, yeah I would feel a bit empty.”

“What if you didn’t need a degree for it?”

“You mean if I had your life?” She looked him over, studying his features; it did look like he was missing this part of him self. “JC, do you regret not going to college?”

He sighed and stared her in the eyes. “Honestly, yeah…I mean I understand that I do have practically everything that I ever wanted. But, when I think back to when I was a kid, I remember that I imagined my self at this age to be married with a kid on the way and a job at a great architecture firm. I imagined having great livelong friends I made in college.”

“If you could go back and chose between N SYNC or college what would you chose?”

“I don’t think I will ever know the answer to that. Which ever I chose part of me would still feel empty. I guess you can say I want to have my cake and eat it too.” His focus was off of Laura and fixated on something outside the window.

“Who doesn’t want that?” She turned her head and followed his gaze that lead to a couple walking with a baby. “If it’s any consolation, college isn’t all that great any way. The best part is the parties and you’ve experienced your share of them any way.” Her response wasn’t exactly what he had hoped to hear. “When we head into Chicago I’ll most likely hang with my college buddies and go to a party, would you want to join me? Maybe that would suffice you enough to not be Mr. Gloomy.”

He turned his focus back on to her and broke into a smile. “Yeah, that’d be cool. Will any crazy fans or haters maul me?”

“I’d be surprised if any of them know who you are, no offense or any thing.”

“None taken.” JC looked out side the window opposite of him. “So…what do you think of Justin?”

Laura looked in the same direction as he was; Justin stood outside the hotel doors, waiting for someone. “He’s complicated with many layers to him. Like Shrek.” She continued to stare at him. Justin held a nervous body language and looked around almost frantic. “Do you think he’s looking for me?”

“Why would he be looking for you if nothing happened?” JC’s defensive mode came right back up.

“Nothing happened. Except he tried to kiss me and I said no because of Mike, but then I also said that if there was no Mike then last night would have gone differently. Then he tried to kiss me again, but I left before he could.” She took her focus off of Justin and back to JC.

“In other words, you sort of teased him.” He waited for a response, which came in a slight nod, and then he continued. “So you really aren’t into Mike?”

Laura was taken back by his comment. “Of course I like Mike, he is my boyfriend.”

“It’s just that if you truly did have feelings for him then I don’t think you would be telling Justin ‘things would be different if there was no Mike’.”

“Mike and I have an open relationship. We have only been dating for a few days and since we won’t be seeing each other much, we thought it would be best for us to be open to other people.” Reluctantly she tore her gaze from Justin back to JC.

“So are you saying that you want to explore situations with Justin?”

“Honestly?”

“Yeah.” JC held a firm look towards her.

“Well, honestly, I believe that I am the journalist who should be asking the questions and not you. As of right now my attention is focused on getting to know ALL of you guys.”

JC kept his glare for a few more seconds but shortly broke into a smile. “Okay, so I’m not going to sit here and say that you can’t do whatever floats your boat but all I ask of you is to not break his heart.”

“You guys are really over protective of each other, it is almost scary.” She stood up to stretch and sat right back down.

“It comes with the territory of knowing each other for over 8 years.” He leaned back into the couch, making him self more comfortable.

“Yeah, that sounds like a barrel of monkeys.”

JC full out laughed at her and took a few seconds to respond. In between his gasps for air they where joined by a fellow party member.

“Did I interrupting something?”

Laura turned around to see Justin standing behind her.

“No, not at all. JC and I where just discussing tidbits about your group. Do you care to join us?” Laura scooted over to allow him some room between her and JC.

“No that’s okay. Actually, Jayce, do you mind if I steal Laura from you for a bit?” Justin stood besides them, waiting for JC to stand up.

“Go head, I have pick up some things from the gift shop before we go.” JC stood up and walked off the bus. “See you guys in a bit.”

Justin took the seat previously occupied by JC.

“We need to talk.” Justin spoke as he searched to focus on something other than her.

“Well I figured considering you asked JC to leave.” Laura smiled at him and attempted to achieve the eye contact he refused.

“Yeah, any way. We need to discuss last night.”

“Justin, nothing happened so there is nothing to discuss.” She figured this would turn into some form of an argument so she followed his stance of no eye contact and arms crossed over chest.

“I know that. I’m talking about…never mind. Forget this happened. I gotta go.” Justin stood up but was stopped by Laura lightly grabbing his hand.

“What ever you want to say, say it now because we will be spending the next three months together.” She let go of his hand when he took a seat across from her.

“I just wanted to apologize for trying to kiss you last night after you said no.”

“In case you forgot, I made the first attempt to kiss you. So don’t worry about it. I’m sure it was just a mixture of the drinks and missing people.” Leaned forwarded, intensifying their eye contact. “Don’t apologize, you didn’t do any thing wrong. Now if you got into an accident with my car, then I expect you to apologize.”

Justin leaned forward towards Laura, merely inches from her face. “I’ll make sure to remember your views on such topics.”

Laura closed the gap by placing a soft kiss on his check and whispered into his ear. “You do that.” The sound of a ringing phone broke their slight trance. “That’s me.” She reached for her phone, looked at the caller id, and answered it. “Hey honey.”

Those two words quickly sent Justin off of the bus. Laura looked at the direction of his exit oddly but continued her conversation with Mike that consisted of discussing her recent conversations with the guys. Aside from conversing about the guys, the issue of Jamie came about.

the uncovering (8) by stimble
A/N the last chapters where all flash backs we are now in the present. Laura has been with the guys for a little over a week now.)

There was a strange smell on the bus…for the first time since Laura has been there the bus smelled…clean. She looked around searching for what cause her nose to dance from happiness. From the corner of her eye she saw the saviors…flowers and by it where some cans of air fresheners.

“These guys are something else.” She took a seat by the flowers and smelled them.

“You like?”

Laura looked up and saw Justin smile and take a seat across from her.

“Yeah, they’re pretty. Who picked them out?” She lightly picked at the petals of the daisies.

“Lance, he said you mentioned to him that you like daisies, so we got daisies.” Justin lightly played with one of the petals too. “So I was thinking about this thing about you and Lance going to get coffee tonight.”

“That’s funny, considering that it has nothing to do with you. But please continue, I would love to hear what you have been thinking.” Laura was not in the mood to deal with his ‘don’t fuck us over’ bit. She has her own problems to deal with - Jamie.

“Never mind. Have fun. I need to go make some calls.” Justin stood up and left back to the back room where they were a few hours ago.

She watched him exit, trying to figure him out. The sound of a ringing phone brought her back to reality. After a look at the I.D she answered.

“Hey, what did you find out?” Her nerves got the best of her and she began biting her nails.

“Okay, so according to Tony, the guy with all the information about where all the bands are, Jamie asked for Nsync’s schedule and hotels.” Mike told her, trying to uncover what was found out yesterday.

“Why would she need that?”

“Exactly what I thought so I compared Nsync’s with Backstreet boys and they have a few dates where they are in the same city and sometimes stay at the same hotel. Figures since they are both owned by Jive.”

“Let me guess, the other night when she saw me and Justin is one of the nights her group was at the same hotel. Great. Did you explain to Lynn what I told you?”

Yesterday when Mike called her he wasn’t too happy. According to what Jamie and Lynn told him, a tipsy Laura and Justin walked into a hotel room together. Of course assumptions where made.

“Yeah, and she said she doesn’t care what you do with the guys when it concerns that situation, all she wants is the story, no law suites, and to keep their ties to Rolling Stone friendly. Don’t worry about it.”

“Of course I’m going to worry. My boss thinks I’m sleeping with our client! I feel like a fucking groupie or something.” She ran her hand through her hand and brought her knees up to her chest.

“Well, do you really blame her?” As soon as he said it he regretted it.

“Excuse me?”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that. I’m just…”

“You don’t believe me. You think I slept with Justin too. Thanks Mike, that’s what a girlfriend LOVES to hear from her boyfriend. ‘Hey, I think you’re a whore.’ Much appreciated Mike.”

The bus came to stop; they arrived to the venue. Almost as if on cue, all the guys came out from their respective places and walked off the bus. Laura signaled to them that she would be there in a few minutes.

“You know I don’t think of you like that.” The frustration in his voice was evident; they had this conversation yesterday.

“Well you aren’t doing much to deny it. The funny thing is you’re the one who encouraged me to go after one of the guys, you’re the reason we have an open relationship and you still get mad. So even if I did sleep with him, which I didn’t, you have NO reason to get all territorial boyfriend on me.” Now she was riled up, maybe it was Mike or maybe it was Jamie, but either way she was mad.

“I’m sorry. Can we drop this and focus back on Jamie?”

“Fine, but that doesn’t mean I can’t still be mad at you.”

“Fine, be mad. Either way Jamie has tabs on you now. She came back to Cali just to tell Lynn in person what she saw. What did you do to piss her off?” Mike took a seat behind his desk at his office.

“Mike I’ve been there for less than two months. I have no clue what I could have done, unless she still likes you, but she couldn’t be THAT vindictive. Could she?”

“Well she is the one who ended things, I just simply agreed cause I didn’t want to deal with her any more. Yeah I think she still has a thing for me but not to the point to ruin an article. But wow she is really ripping at you.”

“What is she saying?” Laura went right back to biting her nails.

“She told Lynn that you where crazy drunk, that she saw you all over the guys, mainly Lance and then saw you go into a hotel room with Justin. Then she told Lynn what kind of responsible journalist gets trashed on the job. This girl is seriously out for you.”

She sat still, taking everything in. If Jamie hated her that much then she would more than likely be inclined to do some digging into Laura’s past.

Laura was hit with a sort of realization. “Shit. Mike I need you to help me out here.” Her voice cracked.

“Of course I’ll help you, why wouldn’t I? What do you need?”

“I need to find out everything I can about Jamie.”

“How would that help? Laura this isn’t the type of thing where you fight fire with fire.” Mike braced him self for what she was about to say, something told him it wasn’t going to be pretty.

“I think she might be mad about some stuff that may have happened in Chicago.”

“What are you talking about? Jamie has never been in Chicago for more than a week at a time. How could you guys have met and ruined her life all within the course of one week, especially in a city like Chicago and with both of you guys having your own lives. That just isn’t plausible.”

“Mike, please don’t fight me on this. There are stuff about me that you don’t know. Trust me when I say that I think Jamie’s dislike for me braches back to Chicago. I just need to find out information about her family, school, everything.” She stood up and began to pace the floor.

“I’m not doing shit until you tell me what I don’t know and what it has to do with Jamie.”

“I need you to help me out here. I promise to tell you everything as soon as I get the information, as soon as I piece everything together. If you won’t help me then I’ll just ask John, he could probably get me the type of information I need any way.”

Mike’s ears perked at the sound of her ex-boyfriends name. “Yeah, I’ll help you. Don’t call John. What do you need to know?”

“Everything.”

This article was going to cause more problems than just typical boy issues.
some people should be kept in the past (9) by stimble

*A/N - Sorry the chapter is short but I want the Lance "date" to be in a different chapter and this chapter had to be done for future refrences.*




Lately Laura’s phone conversations haven’t been too pleasant. Since the call with Mike on the bus she has done nothing but contacting some people in Chicago, there was no way Mike could give her the information she needed. She even spent the entire rehearsal time in the dressing room when she really should be watching the guys.

“Tom, you gotta help me out here. You fuckin’ owe me man.” This is how most of her conversations where all day.

“Funny, I think all debts where void when someone’s daddy fucked everyone over cause his baby girl can’t ruin his name.” And that is how most of the people she called responded. Tom wasn’t much of an ally to her any more. “Considering we are back on the same level we deal like strangers. What would you give me for this information? And seeing as how I have something that is apparently very important to you, it better be big.”

“Fine, the next time you need bail, call me, I’ll pay it. Deal?” She ran her hand through her hair; this was not going to be easy.

“Not enough, bail is not a problem for me. Now your little boy toy John has decided to higher the prices on the strong shit after the little incident. I want 50% off on all top grade stuff. And throw in some free dime bags of weed.”

“You’re crazy. First of all John has nothing to do with this. Second of all there is no way John would do that for you.”

“So that’s were you truly come in, you will get it for me then I will pay you the amount.”

“I am not going to deal to you. That is basically what I am doing. I’m done with that shit.” She heard faint sounds of the guys coming down the hallway and knew she had to wrap it up soon. “Besides there is no way John could get it to me and then me to you.”

“Well I guess you don’t care much for what I have. You can always contact Dee but he is way more pissed at you than I am so I’ll be shocked if he even talks to you.”

Ah, the wonderfulness of Dee, he had to rat out his ‘mentor’ to get out of a 30-year sentence. “Fuck, look I gotta go now, I’ll call you later. Please think of something else we can work out and I’ll try to talk to John.”

“Fine. Bye.”

Laura turned off her phone right when the guys walked into the room.

“I am so tired.” Chris said as he laid down on the couch where Laura sat. “How the hell do the Rolling Stones keep it going?”

“I think they have IV’s filled with crack and they pump it in themselves when they have an off moment.” JC answered before entering the bathroom.

Laura laughed at them and looked over to her left when she felt a body sit next to her.

“So when do you want to go?” Lance placed an arm around her shoulders and lightly hugged her.

“Preferably after you shower and wear something better suited.” Laura cringed when she felt his sticky arm on her bare shoulder and lightly pealed it off.

He laughed at her reaction. “Sure. I’ll be out in 15 minutes.” Lazily he stood up and walked to the other bathroom.

“Well seeing as how I have no where to go and no bathroom to use, I am off to the hotel to relax in the privacy of my own room. Any one want to split a cab with me?” Chris said as he stood up and stretched.

“Yeah I’ll head out too.” Joey said as he walked to the door and stood by Chris. “Justin you coming?”

Justin took a glance at Laura then replied. “No, I’ll wait for Jayce.”

“Alright bud, see you later.” Joey said to him then looked at Laura. “You behave tonight missy, no Irish coffee for you.” He smiled at her then followed Chris out the door.

Laura smiled back and looked at Justin, who was staring at her.

“Everyone seems to have taken a liking to you.” He had a glint of fire in his eyes, but she was not about to make her day worse

“Does that include you Mr. Timberlake?”

“Depending on what Miss. Mcadams does, but most of the time, yes.” Justin stood from his seat and took up the empty space next to her on the couch. “So what coffee shop are you guys going to?”

“I don’t know, some place he picked out.” She looked him over and studied his body language; leaning towards her, lips slightly parted and intense eye contact.

“Is it like a date or something?”

“Justin, we’ve discussed this already. And at the moment, I have way too much shit on my plate to be playing flirting games with Lance.” She rubbed her eyes and looked back to Justin.

“Heh, that’s funny…” He put some space between them. “You seem to have enough room on your plate to play those flirting mind games with me.”

“Oh I do not want to deal with this right now.” Laura put her head in her hands and kept them there for a good minute.

“To bad, like you said, you’re the one who started this little game between us. What the fuck is up? Where you trying to just mess with my head?”

“No I wasn’t…” Laura was cut off by the sound of JC entering the room fully clothed.

“Hey, you guys still here?” He took a towel to his head and dried his hair.

“Yeah, I’m waiting for Lance and Justin’s waiting for you.” Laura put some more distance between them by discreetly scooting away from Justin.

“Ok. Justin are you showering before we go or do you just want to leave.” JC walked around the room collecting some of his items.

“We can just head out now.” Justin stood up and left the room.

“So I’m guessing you guys are back to not so nice terms?” JC took a quick peek out the door and saw Justin walk down the hallway with a quick pace.

“I don’t know. I’ll talk to him tomorrow after the show.”

“Alright. Have fun, I’ll see you later.” He waved at her and left.

Laura sat still for a moment; she analyzed the past week, and tried to decode her future. She hoped Lance could become her escape from the madness she seems to create for herself.

coffee and cliff hangers (10) by stimble

For the seventh time during the coffee/date/getting to know each other thing Laura’s phone rang.

“Wow, if I didn’t know better I’d say you have your own business to run as well” Lance smiled at her and signaled for her to answer her phone.

Laura smiled her best fake smile; in sense Laura’s phoned calls did involve a sort of business.

“I promise the last call then I’ll just turn the phone off completely.” She stood up and walked towards the bathroom. After looking at the caller ID she answered the phone. “Took you long enough to call me back.”

“You know, you up and leave almost two months ago to move to California and not once have you called me to let me know you’re okay. And now that you have decided to call me you expect me to drop everything for you. Besides, you called me just this morning. So what did you call me for? You know, besides to tell me how much to miss me and my amazing sex.”

“John, shut up.”  Laura took a deep breath and continued. “Does the name Jamie Petroaly ring any bells?”

“Why? Is she saying that I am her baby’s daddy? Cause I most definitely do not know her.”

“In all seriousness John, does that name sound familiar to you?” Laura heard silence on the other side for a while.

“Petroaly. Petroaly. It does but I just can’t figure out why. I feel like I’ve heard that name before and I know something but it’s just not coming to me. Why do you want to know?”

“Just, I thought it rang a bell too but I couldn’t figure it out. Can you possibly do a search for me?”

“What kind of search? I’m kind of walking on glass here with the cops after what happened.”

Of course, Laura’s dad interfering did wonders for her old crowd, even though he did save HER ass. “Nothing crazy, just ask around if it sounds familiar. I think she may be linked to Dee and Yuvy.”

“Laura, you know I love you to death and all, but if this Jamie girl is linked to Dee and Yuvy, I suggest you stay away from her. The incident may have been almost a year ago but trust me when I say that they are not over it. Dee is basically lost without Yuvy giving him orders. And Yuvy is on house arrest while waiting trial. So how do you know this girl?”

“She works with me and has been giving me shit since I started.”

John sighed and his voice got lower. “I’ll do the search for you, but I only want me to be on this. But, knowing you, you probably already called a few people when you couldn’t get through to me.”

Laura didn’t answer him. She called four other people, including Mike.

“Of course you did. Okay, when they call you back to agree, tell them you changed your mind. Did you tell them the name?”

Again she didn’t answer.

“Why can’t you just be patient and wait a few hours. I’m not going to bother asking you this question cause I already know the answer, you called Tom.”

“Yeah.”

When it came down to choosing whose to side with after their group had gotten arrested, he choose Dee and Yuvy. Tom was basically a double agent, he played for both sides but when it came down to it he was with Yuvy.

“Okay, give me tonight to think things through. Who else did you ask that I should know about?”

Laura and John never officially broke up, it was one of those things that just went away, technically they where still a couple, technically.

“Mike, my boyfriend.”

“Oh, your boyfriend.” Johns words where a bit stuttered, he never did well with her being with other guys besides him. “Why did you ask him? What are his ties? Are you involved in some other shit out there?”

“He’s a journalist with me at Rolling Stone and I figured he may have some access to more information about her since she is his ex.”

“Laura, what did you get your self into this time? Okay I’ll give you a call back within the next few days. Until then please be patient and stop calling people.”

“Okay. Thanks John. Bye.”

“Bye”

Laura hung up the phone, turned it off completely and returned to Lance who was also on his phone.


”Look I have to go. Yes I understand the situation but at the moment my focus will be completely off of what you are trying to tell me so that means our conversation will be pointless. Thank you and goodnight.” Lance turned off his phone before the person on the other line had a chance to respond. “Okay are both of our phones completely off? No more interruptions?”

“Yes, no more interruptions.” Laura smiled at him.

“So what was your call about?” She picked up her cup of Chai Latte and took a sip.

“Same shit it’s about every time I get a call.” Lance looked down at his cup of coffee and sighed. “How I should just forget this N Sync thing and focus on my company since it’s not doing so great at the moment. We are currently in the process of losing our most profitable client that isn’t even bringing in any money. Which I take full responsibility for considering I haven’t done much to promote her.”

“Well isn’t this pretty much N Sync’s last run any way?” Laura twirled the straw around her cup, slightly mixing in the whipped cream.

“Yeah, it is, but this is one of those things that I have to handle as soon as possible.” Lance shook his head slightly and looked back to her. “But whatever, what was your call about? Better yet, your CALLS.”

“Right, just stupid shit back in Chicago with old friends and new problems. But fuck it cause I’m here with you guys, interning at Rolling Stone and preparing to attend Berkley so I don’t gave a damn at the moment.” If she were Pinocchio, her nose would be huge; of course she gave a damn, that is all that has been on her mind since yesterday morning.

“Liar.”

“Excuse me? I am so not a liar.”

“Maybe you’re not a liar but you are lying that the problems back home don’t bother you.” Lance laughed slightly when Laura gave him a “prove it to me” face. “See, you have a ‘tell’ when you lie.”

“No I don’t.

“Yes you do. I may have only known for about two weeks, but I’ve noticed you have a ‘lying face’. You look to your left with a rolling eye motion, smile a bit, and slightly shake your head.”

Laura gave him a shy glance with a small smile that quickly turned to a full out laugh, Lance soon joined. Once she caught her breath, she simply smiled at him and took a deep sigh. “I must say Lance, that is a little creepy.” Her smile didn’t falter, letting him know she was teasing him.

“Well what can I say? You’re interesting to study, plus there isn’t much else to do on that bus.”

“True.”

“So are you going to tell me what exactly the problem in Chicago is or am I going to have live the rest of my life wondering?” His smile dropped when he noticed her sudden vibe just fell. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to press, totally up to you.”

“No, it’s okay. I just rather not say at the moment, not until I get things settled in my head, if I don’t then I’ll just end up confusing you.”

“Okay."

A bit of an awkward silence fell over them until Lance took the initiative in the next conversation starter.

“So, is everything okay between you and Justin?”

Laura was taken back by his question, it took her a while to register what he asked and what she would respond. “Why… why would you ask?”

“You guys seem to have a tension between you two. I understand his hesitation towards you and you like wise towards him but it seems to be more than that lately.”

“Well, okay, I lied to you. The other day when you asked what happened between Justin and I after we left I said nothing did but-” Laura was cut off by Lance.

“Did you guys have sex?” He looked up from his cup with a shocked look.

“Wow, you and JC have a nice tendency to jump to conclusions, and apparently think of me as the type to sleep around. Nice.” Laura right hand slightly rubbed her right earlobe, and looked down; obviously offended.

“Damn, that was pretty shitty of me. I didn’t mean it like that. And I didn’t mean to say you sleep around. Actually, my assumption comes from what I know of Justin and his promiscuous ways.”

“Oh, well, no we didn’t sleep together or anything near that caliber. We simply told each other a lot of information and needless to say, I may have lead him on. But I didn’t mean to string him on like that. It’s just…” She didn’t even know what exactly she wanted to say or how she would say it.

“What?”

“I don’t know. I’m not even sure what I’m trying to get across here.” She brought her elbow on to the table and rested her chin on her hand.

“How about I just ask you questions.” Laura nodded and Lance continued onward with the questions. “Here’s a simple one. What exactly happed? We’ll deal with the emotion part after we uncover the actual event.”

“Right, good idea.” Laura stood up straight and crossed her arms on the table. “I left the club and I caught up with him out side. We shared a cab and during the cab ride he ousted me on having eavesdropped on a conversation he had on his cell phone. That sparked a fight and crap. Somehow we ended up in his room discussing me, what I’ve done in the past and tying to get him to trust me. Toward the end of our conversation, I asked him if he would object if I kissed him, if I didn’t have a boyfriend. We didn’t but it was pretty obvious I would have, we would have. A few minutes after that I decided to leave and he walked me to his door, he tried to kiss me but I left before he could.” She stopped, taking the opportunity to breath.

“Oh…well…yeah I see how that could cause problems. Did you guys ever talk about it?” There was something different in Lances voice, it sounded…sad, hurt, like he lost something.

“Every time we try, we get no where. The weird thing is that we didn’t even do anything, so I don’t understand why he’s making it a bigger deal than it is. It’s not like we did kiss or had sex or any thing like that. I’ve done stuff with guys far beyond ALMOST kissing and the next day they didn’t get all emotional and girly on me. And I’m sure he’s had his share of flings, friends with benefits, and shameless flirting. I bet all of you guys have done that. Why am I different? Why is it such a big deal if I just did that stuff with Justin? Is this a plan to get rid of me? Cause let me tell you, I think I just might work.” Laura took a deep breath and laid her forehead on the cold table in frustration.

“I don’t know what to say except I’m sorry. No we are not trying to get rid of you or anything like that. And yes, we’re all guilty of the things you listed, some more than others, but still guilty. None of us should make it our business or make it a big deal if you and Justin both agree to have…relations. It’s just that we’ve all seen Justin get hurt numerous amounts of times and we all try to watch out for him.” Lance watched her closely; she had a very expressive body language. From the way her face contoured from happy to frustrated to how her hand waved about when she was worked up about something. He simply smiled to him self, having her around was something he got used to very quickly.

“Am I someone that should be on a watch list around him?” There goes another one of her faces; he called it the distressed and angry one.

“Well, the only reason why you’d be on my watch list is because you have a boyfriend.”

“Yeah…Mike and I decided to have an open relationship, just for summer.” She went back to drinking her drink.

“Do you plan on taking full advantage of that?” Lance slightly blush and looked down into his cup when he asked her the question. It’s a little weird when you just asked some one if they plan on being a rabbit over the summer.

Laura noticed his blush before she answered. “If you mean; do I plan on having sex like crazy this summer? The answer is no. If you mean; do I plan on keeping my options open incase an opportunity where to arise? The answer is yes.” Lance finally looked up from inspecting his cup, she smiled at him and leaned closed to him from across the table. “If you mean; would I take advantage if that opportunity were you? The answer is, any day.” She smiled wider and laughed a bit when he choked on his coffee and kept a shock face for a good minute.

“Wow… ehem…ummm… good to know I guess.” Lance avoided eye contact by cleaning up the small mess he made with the coffee.

“Lance, don’t be like Justin and make a big deal. It’s called flirting, innocent flirting, something I do with all my guys friends and it means nothing other than you’re attractive and I feel comfortable around you.” Laura placed a hand on his when he still didn’t look at her. “Seriously, it’s who I am, I flirt. I’m the type of girl that hugs all her guy friends and gives them pecks on the lips. I sit on their laps and tackle them. I jump on their backs and dance with them at clubs. I’m pretty sure you all had girl friends like that?”

“We do, all of us, it just caught me of guard when you said that.” He looked up and smiled at her.

“So tell me Mr. Bass. Why don’t you have a girlfriend? Are the rumors true? Are you gay?” She raised an eyebrow and held a teasing smile.

He laughed at her antics and went on to answer her. “No I am not gay. And I do not have a girlfriend because at the moment I’m really not looking for a commitment thing. Right now I just want to have fun and chill.”

“Oh, I gotcha. Sort of playing the field.“ Laura laughed when he responded with a simple shrug

Their waitress came by to retrieve their cups; it was then that Laura noticed just how empty the café had become.

“Excuse me ma’am.” The waitress turned around to face Lance, with a bored look. “What time does your café close?” Apparently Lance noticed the same thing Laura did.

“We closed a half hour ago.” She left back towards the kitchen, obviously not happy that they are they reason she can’t go home.

Laura looked at her watch. “Wow, we’ve been here for three hours.” She looked back up at him and smiled. “How much do you want to bet that when we get back, Justin is gonna be on my ass about what we talked about and what happened?”

“Why would he do that?” Lance picked up the check before Laura was able to take and pulled out his wallet.

“Because he’s been on me about not ruining your careers and how I’m evil. He went on about what we where planning on doing tonight and stuff like that.” Laura was able to snatch the check from his hand and look at how much her half of the check was. She pulled out a ten-dollar bill from her purse.

“Well, he’s just as protective of us as we are of him.” Their waitress came by to pick up the check and Lance was able to give her his credit card before Laura could protest about paying her half. “But, I bet you that he will grill you about tonight, but not because of you possible hurting me, but because of him making sure that you and I are not heading any where else but friendship.”

Laura smiled and rolled her eyes. “We are obviously talking about different Justin’s” She stood up and put her jean jacket on when she saw Lance preparing to leave as well. “The Justin you speak of seems like he might have a crush on me. The Justin I speak of is one that has shown obvious dislike towards me since the mention of my occupation.”

The waitress returned with Lances credit card and his receipt to sign where he also added her tip to the total. He handed her the receipt and turned around to face Laura.

“You ready to go?” Lance held out his arm and she linked her arm with his.

“So, we head back to the hotel now?” They walked the few blocks to the hotel.

“Unless you have something else in mind. But there is nothing opened at this hour except for clubs and restaurants.”

“Oh, just wondering. They walked in comfortable silence for a few minutes, randomly smiling at each other. “Lance, I must say, I had fun tonight. Even though an hour of our time was spent on the phone, I still had fun with you.”

“Ditto.” Lance pulled away from her arm, he heisted for a moment before officially reaching for her hand.

“Wow.” Laura laughed and turned her head to look at him.

“What?” His reaction was one of slight fear and he was about to pull his hand away but Laura held it in place.

“We had such a middle school moment. For a second there I thought you where about to ask if you could hold my hand.” Laura stopped walking, leaving them standing in front of the hotel entrance, still holding hands.

“Actually, I was about to. Isn’t that sad?” 

“Yes, I must say that is.” She smiled at him when he blushed. “Yup, I still feel like we’re 14 years old here. Let’s go inside before this turns into an awkward date ending thing, which would be odd cause this wasn’t even a date.”

Lance laughed at her as she led them into the hotel and up to their floor. He walked Laura to her door where they stood laughing, at a random fan who followed them to the elevators and just as the doors where closing the random fan screamed in shock.

“Wow, I thought you guys didn’t deal with those crazy fans any more?” Laura said as she rummaged through her purse looking for her key.

Lance stood in front of her with his hands stuffed in his pockets. “We don’t have hordes of them going crazy and camping out, but we do still get the random few.”

“I don’t know how I’d be able to handle that.” Laura finally found her electronic key and looked up to Lance from her purse. “Well Mr. Bass, thank you for letting me rant on you and thank you for a lovely evening, we must do this again.”

“Of course.”

Laura gave him a hug and a kiss on the check. “See you tomorrow.”

Lance’s voices stopped her as she was entering her room. “We never set terms to our bet.”

“What?” She pulled away from the door and with her arms crossed and an amused smile.

“Our bet. The one about Justin and whether he’ll bug you about ruining the group or if you and I are headed any where.” He leaned against the wall next to her.

“Alright, set the terms.”

“If you win-“

Laura cut off Lance with what she wanted. “If I win, you have to tell me a story about you, be it embarrassing or what ever, but a good one that the public doesn’t know, that I can use in my article.” She held her crossed arms and jutted her hip out; there was a playful gleam in her eyes.

“Alright, but if I win, you owe me a real date and the first and last dance at the club of my choice. Both dates chosen by me.” He pushed him self off the wall and stood straight in front of her.

“Just as long as those days are not days when Mike is here. We may have an open relationship but I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t like it.”

“Fine, but only with that provision. Do we have a deal?” Lance held his hand out.

“Yes we do.” She shook his hand. Laura must admit, Lance had sneaky skills and he used them on her. “Once again, good night and I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

Lance reached for her hand again and held it for a second before he leaned down and kissed her cheek. He pulled away and laughed at her slightly stunned reaction. “Geez Laura, don’t freak out, it just simple innocent flirting.”

She glared at him and lightly hit his arm “Shut up jerk. Good night.”

“Good Night.” Lance said before he walked away and Laura stood there watching him for a second before entering her room.

For the first time tonight she realized how fast her heart was pounding and the silly mood she had going on. And that was just from a simple friendly date and friendly flirting with Lance. She walked into her bathroom, removed her makeup and changed into her p.j’s. After being settled into bed for five minutes there was a knock at her door.

“I swear Lance if that’s you the bet is off.” Laura reluctantly got out of bed and answered her door.

“What kind of bet do you guys have going on?” He sounded less upset and more intrigued, a shocker coming from him.

“Justin. Hi.” Laura stood at the doorway in a tight tank top and boy shorts. Her mind ran with reasons as to why he would be there, all that came to mind was what Lance told her in the café.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1060