Not Sleeping Alone by ssfoxx
Summary: When it's just too painful to let go...
Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 930 Read: 1185 Published: Apr 07, 2007 Updated: Apr 07, 2007

1. Chapter 1 by ssfoxx

Chapter 1 by ssfoxx
Two weeks. It’d been two weeks already and she still hadn’t managed to clean out the house. Everything was still there. All of it even down to his shampoo. She didn’t much feel like getting rid of anything just yet.

Your toothbrush is still next to mine. Your clothes are hanging in the closet.

It wasn’t even her house. It was his. He’d had it since before he met her. She remembered fondly when he asked her to move in. Of course she liked having a place to call her own, but it didn’t take her more than two seconds to agree to sell her apartment. For him, she’d have gladly done anything.
She’d been living there now for nearly six months. It was home. She wasn’t sure she’d ever want to live anywhere else.

And I’m still living here. You paid the deposit

What made it home was him. Home was the place she shared with the man she loved so deeply. That man was now gone. A terrible car accident had claimed his life, much too young. This wasn’t supposed to happen. They were supposed to spend the rest of their lives together. In this home. Now she wasn’t sure if she could call it home any longer.

Now the future is unknown, but I’m not sleeping alone

For now, it was home. She swore she still felt his presence. The house still smelled like him. Everything was set up as if he were there. There was even still a slight indent in the mattress where he slept.

I'm sleeping with a memory. I'm sleeping with regret. I'm sleeping with a fantasy that I can't let go of yet. Half of me is you, everything I own. I feel you beside me, oh I'm not sleeping alone. I'm not sleeping alone.

She thought of him, somewhere up in heaven. She was sure he was looking down on her. Like a guardian angel. Maybe he was even right there with her. She was sure he heard her and just wished to hear his voice one more time in return.

I wonder where you are tonight, what’s going through your head

The thought seemed to comfort her. That he might still be there, if only in spirit. With that thought, she managed to sleep through what might otherwise have been unbearable nights.

Hey I’m doing alright on my side of the bed

Everyone thought she was crazy for still living there. They didn’t know how she did it, without him there. They thought she must be lonely and depressed there in that house. No, she wasn’t alone. Not at all.

You think I’m here on my own, but I’m not sleeping alone

The memory of him was still too strong. Every moment she stayed brought back another memory. She relived them all: their first date, the first time they made love, every single kiss they shared, every petty fight they had, each time he sweetly said “I love you.” They kept her company. They were all the company she needed.

I'm sleeping with a memory. I'm sleeping with regret. I'm sleeping with a fantasy that I can't let go of yet. Half of me is you, everything I own. I feel you beside me, oh I'm not sleeping alone. I'm not sleeping alone.

Yes, he was still there. In her sleep, he was there. She saw him as she slept, right there beside her. She saw their future together, one filled with nothing but happiness. It all seemed so real. Every morning she expected to find him there beside her, his warm arms wrapped around her. Every morning brought disappointment. She wished she could stay in her dreams forever.

When I put my head on the pillow and I enter the world of my dreams everything as it was before, you’re still loving me. You’re still loving me.

She wasn’t prepared to let go. Not yet. Things were so much better when she kept on believing that he was coming back. She couldn’t believe that he was really gone forever. She didn’t want to face her life without him.

You think I’m here on my own, but I’m not sleeping alone. I’m sleeping with a memory, I’m sleeping with regret. I’m sleeping with a fantasy that I can’t let go of yet.

He was her soulmate. Her one and only. How was she supposed to continue living? How could she lose the one thing that made her life complete?

Half of me is you. Everything I own. I feel you beside me, oh I’m not sleeping alone.

She walked around the house, looking at everything just as it had been before. Him. He was everywhere. She wasn’t leaving this place. She wasn’t leaving him.

I’m not sleeping alone. I’m not sleeping alone. You think I’m on my own. I’m not sleeping alone.

She crawled into bed and tucked herself under the warm covers. She scooted towards the middle of the bed, but still leaving room for another body. Shutting her eyes, she let sensations take over. Her body grew warm, as she swore she felt a touch that wasn’t really there. Just before she drifted into sleep, she whispered into the empty night,
“Don't leave.”

Oh and I still feel you beside me, so you know I’m not sleeping alone
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=12