I'll Be Waiting by SomethingBlue42
Summary:

When Skylar takes Justin home to meet her parents in West Virginia for Thanksgiving everything gets called in to question.

A Companion to A Love Worth Learning

 


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Fantasy, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Continuing Education: ALWL Shorts
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 26271 Read: 40604 Published: Nov 24, 2008 Updated: Dec 02, 2008
Story Notes:

I don't own Justin Timberlake or Nsync but all the work written here is mine and cannot be used without my permission!!! So be cool and don't take mah shit kthnxbai!

 

1. Chapter 1 by SomethingBlue42

2. Chapter 2 by SomethingBlue42

3. Chapter 3 by SomethingBlue42

4. Chapter 4 by SomethingBlue42

5. Chapter 5 by SomethingBlue42

6. Chapter 6 by SomethingBlue42

7. Chapter 7 by SomethingBlue42

8. Chapter 8 by SomethingBlue42

9. Chapter 9 by SomethingBlue42

Chapter 1 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

Okay yeah I'm on kinda a Skystin overload but I really just can't help myself. I'll be posting one a day until it's done so stay tuned and happy reading!

 

 “You’re…you’re leaving?” I ask, my voice hollow to my own ears as I watch him pack from the doorway.

 

“I gotta go, baby,” he replies easily, folding one of his shirts, one of the one’s I bought him, one of his favorites, and he lays it gingerly into the case. “I got meetings in Brentwood and then this thing in Vegas.”

 

My heart tugs. I hate it when he leaves. I hate that his job has him all over the place and not with me always. I still don’t know how I went ten years without him. He looks up and his face softens and it’s only then I realize I’m frowning, well, pouting really. I bite my lip and look away.

 

“I’ll be back in a few days, Sky,” he says softly, and when I don’t look at him I hear him sigh, his feet padding across the carpet as he comes to me. “I have to be,” he tips my chin up and my eyes crash into his. “We’re leaving for your parents place, remember?”

 

He smiles and I can’t keep from smiling myself. He brings his lips to mine and I let myself get lost in it for a moment before he pulls back and rubs his thumb along my cheek bone before going back to his suitcase.

 

“Is your meeting important?” I ask, chewing on my bottom lip and he smiles.

 

“I’m draggin’ myself away from you, aren’t I,” he smirks and I blush.

 

He’s good at that. Making me feel like I’m the most important thing in his life. I’m not. But he still makes me feel that way. With Justin, his career is number one. But he loves me. He adores me. I’m the closest any woman has gotten to number one and the fact that he was comfortable enough with me to tell me this is a blessing in itself. So I don’t mind not being first, because he makes me feel that way anyway.

 

But I want him to stay. It’s selfish, I know. But part of me, that ten year old girl that stands on the front porch of a little farm house in West Virginia watching her father’s car drive away, never wants him to go. I want him to stay when I ask him to. I want him to want to be with me always. But I don’t tell him this. I barely tell myself this. It makes me feel needy and broken and neither of us needs that.

 

“Come on, Sky,” he sighs as he zips up his bag, “don’t make that face.”

 

“What face?” I ask, trying to pull my features into something different but I’m not sure if I accomplish it.

 

“The ‘you just kicked my puppy’ face,” he sighs, a small smile tugging at his lips and I glare at him.

 

“I did not,” I argue, a smile pulling at my lips and he grins.

“Put whatever spin you want on it, babe,” he replies, condescension in his voice and I scowl at him but it melts when he walks past me and pecks my cheek affectionately.

 

I follow him through the living room of my apartment. Well, our apartment really but we don’t call it that. He stays here when he’s in town. He keeps his clothes here, his shirts in my closet, his underwear next to mine in the drawer. His toothbrush is next to mine in my little holder and his shoes are taking up the majority of my closet. He lives here. But he’s a man so he needs to think he doesn’t. I kinda love that about him really. How completely committed he is but how he kids himself into thinking he’s not.

 

“I’ll be back in a few days,” he says when we reach the door and as he opens it he pauses and cups my cheek in his large hand. “I’ll miss you.”

 

I smile up at him, standing on my tip toes to kiss him. He deepens it, dropping his bag to the floor with a thud, allowing him to wrap his arms fully around me, pressing my body to his. My palms flatten against his back as his tongue dips in to taste me and I can tell this could go somewhere pretty fast. His fingertips dig into my lower back as he pulls away breathlessly, licking his lips and I reach up to kiss him again softly.

 

“I’m gonna miss my flight,” he chuckles and I sigh, nodding slightly.

 

He picks up his bag and kisses me softly on the cheek as he steps out the door and moves to walk toward the elevator. He pauses, frowning and turns the other direction to take the stairs instead. He grins at me sheepishly as he passes. He told me once he doesn’t do elevators when leaving if he can help it.

 

“Justin,” I say just as he’s pushing the door open to the stairwell and he looks back at me questioningly. I bite my lip. “Don’t go.”

 

It’s quiet and kind of pitiful and I hate myself for doing this to him. His eyes soften and he walks back to me, cupping my face in his hand again. He kisses my forehead, both my eyelids, the tip of my nose and eventually my mouth before he speaks.

 

“Skylar, I have to go,” he says, his voice soft and deep and I sigh, nodding.

 

“I know, I’m sorry. I know you hate it when I do this,” I say, looking down at his pristine sneakers.

 

“It’s okay,” he replies, his nose nuzzling mine and then he hooks his finger under my chin, forcing my eyes to meet his. “Three days,” he says, his eyes boring into mine and I smile, nodding. “I’ll call you when I get off the plane, okay?”

 

“Okay,” I say nodding and he grins.

 

“That’s my girl.”

 

I giggle as he tilts his head, nibbling at my neck a little before pulling back and grabbing his bag again. I softly call goodbye and he raises his hand in acknowledgement but does not look back, not trusting himself to leave if he does.

Chapter 2 by SomethingBlue42

“You nervous?” I ask, not taking my eyes off the road as I navigate the winding two lane highway that leads to my hometown.

 

“No,” Justin says simply, looking out the window, his finger tapping against his leg in time with the radio.

 

“You sure about that?” I ask smirking at him, watching him from the corner of my eye and he gives me a condescending smile.

 

“No, Skylar, I’m not nervous,” he says slowly, as if I was dimwitted and I giggle at him.

 

“Not even a little? I mean you’re meeting my parents for the first time,” I prod and he shrugs.

 

“They’re just people, Sky,” he says but a shadow passes over his face.

 

“You’ll like my dad,” I say forcing my smile down. “He’ll wanna show you his shotgun collection as soon as we get there.”

 

Justin’s face blanches slightly but he doesn’t crack. “I grew up in Tennessee, Skylar. Everyone has guns there.”

 

“Oh you’re no fun,” I pout and he smirks at me from the passenger seat.

 

“Do you want me to be nervous?” he asks and I giggle a little.

 

“Well, of course not,” I sigh, shaking my head at him. We’re quiet for a moment.

 

“Wait,” Justin says after a moment. “Are you nervous?”

 

“Me?” I ask, my voice jumping an octave. “Why would I be nervous?”

 

“Because I’m meeting your parents for the first time,” he states simply and I scoff but my stomach ties in a knot and I realize what he’s known for a full minute before me.

 

“They’re going to love you,” I say nodding, my wrists flexing as I twist my clenched hands around the steering wheel.

 

“Damn straight,” he says nodding and I eye him. He’s such a cocky bastard.

 

“You’re a cocky bastard,” I smirk, not being able to stop myself.

 

“You love my cock,” he deadpans and I nearly crash into oncoming traffic from shock. Justin tenses. “Want me to drive babe?”

 

“No,” I spat and we’re silent for a moment before we both burst into giggles.

 

The countryside gives way to subdivisions and before I know it I’m turning onto our street and a warmness settles over me as I travel the familiar road. I pass the Jenison’s house, the marker for how far I could ride my bike when I first learned. I see the Whitikers’ mailbox is still dented from where I hit it when I was learning how to drive. I smile, the memories flooding me as I pull into our driveway, the old farmhouse weathered but cozy.

 

It’s a pity this is the first time Justin is seeing it, trees bare and flowers withered and gone. In the spring our front yard is a burst of color, Great Laurel bushes nestled against the wide porch, tulips lining the walk, the sugar maple trees lush and green. I unbuckle my seatbelt and Justin does the same, trotting around the back of the car to pull our bags from the trunk.

 

I wait for him to step up next to me before making my way up the walk, remembering games of hide and seek and summer days spent running through the sprinklers. Those days are gone now though and I shiver as the winter wind whips through my jacket. I loop my arm through Justin’s, one of the suitcases bumping my thigh but he’s warm and he feels good. He pecks my forehead as we take slow steps towards the front porch. I hear Justin snort.

 

“Great, now I’m nervous,” he grumbles and I laugh openly which causes him to glare at me.

 

“You’ll be fine, babe,” I say patting his forearm but his face is dark and he’s pouting slightly.

 

I stop just at the steps to the porch and rise up on my tip toes to peck his cheek, fully prepared to tell him how wonderful he is when a hard voice calls from the doorway.

 

“Skylar Jane! You’re past curfew young lady!”

 

I cringe as my mother’s warning voice floats to my ears and I look up to see her standing just outside the screen door, hands fisted on her wide hips, a smile tugging at her lips. I break into a smile, squeezing Justin’s wrist as I tug him up the steps of the wide wrap around porch, letting go only when my mother envelops me in a hug.

 

“It’s so good to have you home,” she whispers into my hair before pulling back and eyeing Justin, who’s setting our bags down on the top step.

 

“Momma,” I say, somewhat shyly, reaching to take Justin’s hand, tugging him forward. “This is Justin.”

 

“Hello, Mrs. McKibbons,” Justin says, his voice deep and low, the only indication he’s nervous because his smile is dazzling.

 

“Oh don’t be silly,” my mother says, waving away his outstretched hand and pulling him into a hug. “Call me Vivian.”

 

He chuckles, wrapping his arms around her and I feel my heart swell. This is what I wanted. For him to be accepted with open arms and for her to genuinely love him, not just because I love him. I smile softly. It’s impossible not to love him.

“Well, just look at you,” my mother says pulling back finally and holding him at arms length. “Handsome thing isn’t he?” he asks me and Justin dips his head in a blush.

 

“Oh Momma stop!” I scold, but only half heartedly because, frankly, I agree. I wrap my arm through his, leaning into him, savoring the warmth of his body.

 

“Okay, okay,” my mother says, eyeing the two of us before turning back to the door. “Come on lets get inside before we catch our deaths.”

 

Justin lets go of my hand and picks up our bags again as we step inside, the screen door smacking shut behind us. I look around, the house relatively the same since I last came home, except for a few thanksgiving decorations here and there.

 

“Well, you got here just in time for dinner,” my mother says, pushing a limp curl back from her forehead as her eyes flit down the long hallway towards the kitchen. “Why don’t you take Justin upstairs and put your bags in your room?”

 

I nod and Justin gives my mother a small smile before turning to follow me up the stairs. He’s following close behind as I lead the way to my childhood room, moving down the hall, passing my mother’s sewing room and my parents room before stopping at a closed door at the end of the hall. The wooden placard with my name painted in bright green and blue still hangs from the push pin I’d placed there in high school.

 

I open the door and it’s like stepping into a time warp, taking me back to side ponytails and stonewash denim and I’m seventeen years old again, coming home from school to drop off my bag before running to Cosway’s Diner to meet my friends for some French fries and a strawberry shake. I’ll have to remember to take Justin there later.

 

I step inside and he stands in the doorway, looking in bemusedly and I smile at him, bidding him to enter. He steps inside and sets the bags on the foot of the bed as I instruct him, before moving around and looking at things, fingers brushing perfume bottles, reading old notes that have grown yellow tacked to my bulletin board for years. He scoffs at my shelves crammed with trophies and certificates, medals and ribbons hanging from tacks that I shoved into the wood.

 

“You really were an overachiever huh?” he chuckles, turning to me as I begin to unpack my suitcase and I narrow my eyes at him.

 

“Um, excuse me Mr. Four-Time-Grammy-Winner. I’ve seen the trophy room in your house.”

 

He smirks, moving to fall onto my bed, bouncing a little and the springs squeak quietly under his weight. He screws up his face and his back arches as he reaches beneath him to tug out a lump of worn gray fabric. My eyes widen in alarm.

 

“What do we have here?” he asks amusedly, holding the old stuffed rabbit by the ear.

 

“Give me that!” I say snatching at it but he swings the threadbare toy out of my grasp and my stomach lurches at his carelessness.

 

“Friend of yours?” he teases gently, examining the mismatched button eyes.

 

“Don’t hold Bun Bun by the ear!” I scold, snatching the toy and holding it against my chest, my stomach unknotting now that he is safely in my arms and a slight sense of sheepishness washes over me.

 

“Bun Bun?” he questions, raising an eyebrow at me and I glare at him, patting Bun Bun’s head affectionately before setting him gingerly on the chair next to the window.

 

“Don’t even start,” I say and he laughs openly. I smirk. “Shall we discuss your Simba pillow?”

 

The smile wipes right off his face and he scowls at me before grinning good naturedly. He lays against the pillows, staring at the ceiling and humming an easy tune as I unpack my things, placing them in the empty drawers, the only indication I don’t actually live here any more.

 

“You want me to unpack yours?” I ask and when my eyes meet his I find him staring at me intently. I freeze because I know that look.

 

“Am I the first guy you’ve brought home?” he asks, his fingers playing over the fine stitching of my quilt.

 

“Um…what?” I ask and his eyes meet mine again, smiling.

 

“Am I the first guy you’ve brought home to meet your parents?”

 

I open my mouth to protest but I snap it shut as I think back. I never allowed my high school boyfriend in the house for fear of embarrassment. I didn’t really date much in college and after that I’d met a few of my paramours’ families but they’d never met mine. Justin’s grinning widely at me and I purse my lips.

 

“Well, don’t you just feel so special,” I tease and he nods, his smile fading into a predatory look that makes me swallow hard.

 

“Am I the first boy to be in your bed?” he poses the question innocently, almost as if he were simply asking me where I had put his golf glove.

 

I don’t realize my mouth is hanging open until he gives me a look that causes me to snap it shut. I swallow hard as he rolls onto his side, propping his head on his hand and letting his eyes lick over my body. My eyes flick to the open door apprehensively, listening for anyone who may be just down the hall.

 

“Come’ere.”

 

My eyes snap to Justin, who’s smiling softly at me, his hand smoothing over the open space next to him and I’m thrown back into the memory of him across the room in some hotel in some city, knowing we had to get through a section. I lick my lips at the thought of what had happened next.

 

“Justin,” I say, warning in my voice and he gives me that innocent look that I still can’t believe he can pull off after all the things he’s done to me.

 

“Skylar,” he says back grinning. “Come on, we’re both grown.” He smirks. “Well…now we are.”

 

“Justin!” I exclaim like I always do when he refers so cheekily to our past.

 

“You wanna scream my name you need to get over here,” he grins and before I can even respond he darts up and snatches me to him.

 

I struggle against him, laughing and pushing against his chest feebly before he rolls me onto my back, pinning me against the mattress, his hips pressed flush against mine. His mouth hovers above mine and the lust in his eyes softens with affection as he nuzzles his nose with mine. He presses our mouths together, tongue dipping in lazily and my arms snake around his neck, one of my legs slipping between his. He hums softly, pulling back just slightly and I lick my lips before kissing him slowly, again and again.

 

“Skylar!” my mother’s voice wafts up stairs and we both freeze, muscles tensing. “Dinner’s ready!”

 

“Coming!” I call after a beat and Justin smirks, dipping his head to nuzzle my neck.

 

“Oh you will be,” he replies lowly causing my stomach to coil.

 

“Justin!” I giggle, pushing at his chest and he rolls off me, allowing me to sit up. “What has gotten into you?”

 

“I dunno, something about this room,” he says looking around, his tongue sliding against the inside of his bottom lip. “Thinking about you losing your virginity in here…”

 

“I did not lose my virginity in here,” I say laughing and shaking my head.

 

“Oh really?” he asks raising his eyebrows in a way that tells me I’m going to regret having told him that. “Then where, pray tell,” he reaches to push my hair back off my shoulder, his fingers grazing my neck just slightly, “did you lose it?”

 

I can feel myself beginning to blush and I stand abruptly. “We’re gonna be late for dinner.”

 

Justin smirks at me and I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear nervously. He sighs, pulling himself from the bed and walks towards me. He leans into me, his scent enveloping me as his lips hover near my ear, not touching me at all.

 

“Tonight I’m going to fuck you in that bed, you know that right?”

 

My jaw drops and he just smirks at me, his eyes smoldering before he saunters out the door, leaving me to chase after him, dry mouthed and dazed.

Chapter 3 by SomethingBlue42

“There’s my girl!” the loud booming voice of my father greets me as I step into the dining room, Justin tucked behind me and his hands immediately drop from my hips.

 

“Daddy!” I exclaim and I’m ten years old, running into his arms after he’d been gone on a long business trip.

 

He’s just slightly taller than me, his body thin but warm as I hug him tight, the smell of pipe tobacco and talcum powder invading my senses. I pull back and he holds me at arms length looking me over thoroughly. I bite my lip, suddenly wondering if my sweater is severely rumpled from mine and Justin’s roll in bed.

 

“Where’s my little girl?” he exclaims brightly and I grin at him. “I could have sworn the last time I saw you, you had pigtails.”

 

I dip my head, blushing and smiling under my father’s attention. His eyes flit past me and he stands a little straighter. I look back to see Justin standing in the doorway to the living room, his face pulled into a pleasant expression but nervousness shows in his eyes.

 

“And who is this young man?”

 

“Daddy, this is Justin,” I say, holding my hand out to him and Justin steps forward taking it and nodding at my father.

 

“Honor to meet you Mr. McKibbons,” he says, his voice low, his shoulders back and he’s standing tall, stretching every inch of his six foot one frame to its full height.

 

“Ah, Justin…” my father says, nodding and shaking Justin’s hand firmly. “My wife says Skylar talks about you constantly.”

 

“Dad!” I exclaim blushing.

 

“Oh, did I botch this already?” my father teases me, letting go of Justin’s hand and smiling at me. “I’ve never done this before. What is the proper thing to say to the first boy your little girl brings home?”

 

My face is on fire as Justin turns to me smirking and I wish the floor would swallow me whole.

 

“Oh Jim stop!” my mother exclaims, rescuing me in only the way mothers can. “Dinner’s getting cold.”

 

We move into the dining room and I see that we’re eating off of my great grandmother’s wedding china, reserved only for the most special of occasions. I can only remember eating on it once in my entire life and that was when my father had gotten his promotion from District Manager to Regional Director when I was fourteen. I grin, squeezing Justin’s hand in mine before letting go taking my usual chair closest to the door. My father moves to his chair in front of the china cabinet and my mother moves around the table to take her usual seat closest to the kitchen. Justin sidles around taking the empty chair in front of the window.

 

I take a look at the spread before us, fried pork chops and mashed potatoes and corn. The salad is in the crystal salad dish instead of the usual plastic tupperware container. Slices of bread are fanned out neatly on a serving plate instead of one of us having just tossed the bag on the table for consumption. My eyes flit to my mother and she smiles at me, her eyes a little nervous, wondering if all of this is satisfactory and I smile warmly at her. It’s more than I could have ever hoped for.

 

“Well, lets bless this mess,” my mother says with a sigh and her eyes fall on Justin. “Would you like to say the prayer, Justin?”

 

I tense my eyes falling to my lap. Justin has a quiet faith, the kind he rarely advertises and while I know he prays he never does it aloud. When I look up at him, fully prepared to save him, he’s smiling and pulling his arms from underneath the table to reach for mine and my mother’s hands.

 

“I’d love to,” he says and I grasp his hand and my mother does the same, our other hands reaching to my father who takes them and we are joined as we bow our heads. “Father God,” Justin begins and clears his throat slightly before going on, “Thank You for giving us safe travels today and for bringing me here to meet Skylar’s family.” I squeeze his hand and he squeezes back. “I thank You for all that You’ve given us, Lord, especially for this meal and please let it nourish our bodies as You nourish our hearts and bless the hands that prepared it. In Your name we pray, Amen.”

 

We all pull our heads up and let go, but I wait a beat, running my thumb along Justin’s knuckles before releasing him and we begin to pass the food around chatting easily, Justin charming my mother into giggles, my father watching bemusedly from the head of the table.

 

“So, Justin,” my father says as our laughter quiets and we’re tucking into our food. “Viv tells me you’re a musician?”

 

Justin jaw works slowly over the food in his mouth as he nods and when he swallows he says, “Yes.”

 

“Good money in that?” my father asks and I cringe.

 

“It’s not bad,” Justin replies, smiling slightly and my father grins.

 

“What kind of music?” he asks and I wonder if he’s ever heard Justin’s music before. I seriously doubt it since the only thing he listens to is talk-radio and a few old Johnny Cash records.

 

Justin takes a drink of his water. “Oh all kinds. Pop mostly. Some R&B…electronica, it really just depends on the vibe of the session.”

 

“Vibe huh?” my father says, his eyes cutting to me mischievously. “You’re younger than Sky yes?”

 

I nearly choke on my food, swallowing hard and Justin shifts in his chair. “A little, yeah.”

 

“Dad,” I say, dipping me head and he smirks at me.

 

“Oh Jim stop,” my mother sighs, rescuing me again and I love her more than I ever have before.

 

“Pop music huh?” my dad says, pushing us back into something a little more neutral. “Like that dancing in unison malarkey?”

 

Justin laughs openly. “Yeah I used to do that,” he grins good naturedly, “Now it’s more of a choreographed freestyle. Which I guess is an oxymoron.” He chuckles at himself and I beam at him.

 

“A what?” my father asks, quirking an eyebrow at Justin, leaning a little into the table and Justin swallows the bite he just took.

 

“An oxymoron? Like combining two contradictory words-”

 

“No, I know what an oxymoron is,” my father says, smiling slightly and Justin shuts up immediately his face pinkening. I wish I could reach for his hand. “I mean this dance business.”

 

“Oh it’s just…um…” Come on Jus baby you can do it. His face changes and his mask slips on. Interview mode. “It’s just free you know, but we still have the dancers so we have to have some kind of order.”

 

“Dancers?” my father asks and Justin nods.

 

“Yeah, like on the last tour we had nine dancers and we would all be doing things on different parts of the stage but it was all somewhat unified.”

 

“Uh huh,” my father says, eyeing Justin warily and his eyes flit to me and my heart drops a little.


His eyes are questioning and I know he’s wondering what the hell I’m doing with this kid. His eyes say “a dancer Skylar? Really?” and I look down at my lap. I really wanted them to get along. I wanted them to sit on the front porch and talk about sports and play golf together. My chest lightens.

 

“Daddy, Justin loves golf,” I say suddenly and both men look at me as if I have just spoken in tongues.

 

“Yeah,” Justin says looking at me and smiling a little. “I do. Do you play, sir?”

 

“I’ve played a little in my time,” my father says, leaning back and pushing his empty plate forward which cues my mother to stand and take his plate along with hers into the kitchen.

 

“Are there many good courses around here?” Justin asks, adding more mashed potatoes to his plate and shoveling them into his mouth in that way he does when food tastes good to him. I grin.

 

“We’ve got a pretty nice club the next town over,” my father says. “What’s your handicap?”

 

“Um I think I’m around a six now,” Justin says hanging his head slightly.

 

My father’s eyebrows raise. “Really?”

 

Justin nods. “Yeah I was at four at one point but I’ve just been so busy. Haven’t had that much time on the links.”

 

They launch into a conversation on golf courses, Justin telling my father about the different courses he’s played, my father asking questions occasionally and regaling Justin with his tale of how he once got a hole in one. Justin listens, seemingly enthralled, watching my father with admiration. It’s all I can do to keep from grinning like an idiot. This leads into talk about the perfect golf clubs and the right form and when Justin finally finds a way to slip in that he shot a 98 at Torrey Pines I can see my father coming around slowly.

 

“Are you finished, honey?” my mother asks, returning from the kitchen and reaching for Justin’s plate.

 

“Oh, yes ma’am,” he says, sitting back and allowing her to take it from him. “Do you need some help? I can-”

 

“Oh hush,” my mother says, patting him on the shoulder and I grin.

 

“I’ll help, Mom,” I say, standing now that I know things are going better between the men at the table.

 

“Are you sure?” Justin asks, looking from me to my mother. “Because I can-”

 

“You don’t move a muscle,” my mother scolds lightly and Justin looks down in concession.

 

I smile, running a hand across his shoulders as I pass behind him enroute to the kitchen. He cranes his neck to watch me and I can feel his eyes on me as I pass. My father is standing from the table and opening the bottom cabinet of the large curio behind him.

 

“What’s your drink of choice, Justin?” he asks and I stop in the doorway to the kitchen. I know where this is going.

 

“Jack Daniels,” Justin says, nodding his head, puffing his chest out slightly and I fight my grin.

 

“Jack Daniels!” my father exclaims, “that sissy stuff?”

 

I cringe and Justin just blinks back at him. It’s a challenge. I know this because this is how my father is. He pushes and prods, trying to get a rise out of you, testing your breaking point. Justin clears his throat nervously before his mask comes up again.

 

“Well, it’s the drink of choice in Tennessee,” he grins good naturedly and shrugs. “I grew up on it.” My father raises an eyebrow and Justin’s smile fades. “Not that I drink a lot…or at a young age…I mean…”

 

His ears turn red and he looks away. I open my mouth to save him but my father speaks first.

 

“Well, come here and have a glass of this,” my father says and I see him setting a dusty bottle on the table, the liquid inside clear and ominous and I know what that is.

 

“Dad, Justin doesn’t want that,” I say as Justin stands and rounds the table to stand next to my father.

 

“Skylar, go get me some glasses from the kitchen,” he replies uncorking the bottle.

 

“Justin,” I say and he gives me a slight shake of his head, his eyes telling me to shut up and let him do this.

 

I sigh, trudging into the kitchen and setting my plate on the counter next to the sink where my mother is washing them by hand before putting them in the dishwasher. I have tried to explain that this is unnecessary but she doesn’t listen. I sigh, opening the cabinet and pulling out two tumblers.

 

“How’s it going in there?” my mother asks and I sigh.

 

“Pissing contest,” I reply and my mother laughs.

 

“His baby girl won’t be taken without a fight,” she responds.

 

I stop to look at her and she hasn’t even turned, her back still to me, washing the dishes diligently. They say there’s a time in every girls life when you realize you’re mother is a genius and I think this moment is mine. I never really thought about it in terms of losing but in terms of gaining. My father isn’t losing me to Justin. I’m not going anywhere. I’ll always be here waiting on the porch for him. Just now I won’t be doing it alone.

 

I step back into the dining room and my father is explaining the concept of making moonshine.

 

“…and then they run it through the still again…Ah there’s my girl,” he says holding out his hand and I give him a hard look.

 

He takes the glasses and fills them until they are about a quarter full and I fold my arms across my chest. My father hands one to Justin who takes it, swirling his glass and eying the liquid inside. I want to tell them to just stop this because I know what’s in that glass. My father gave me some in high school after I had stumbled in drunk from a party. I didn’t drink again until I was in college.

 

“Cheers,” my father says, clinking his glass with Justin’s, who nods his head before they both toss the drink back.

 

My father comes back up smacking his lips and he eyes Justin who struggles to swallow, his face white, sweat breaking out across his forehead. He coughs a little, pushing air out of his lungs the best he can, knowing the second he inhales he’s going to hack and sputter. He breathes in through his nose and puts his hand to his mouth and tries to mask his cough as he shakes his head from side to side.

 

My father claps him on the back, grinning widely. It seems Justin has finally made it into his good graces. I roll my eyes. Boys and their games. My mother scuttles in from the kitchen, grabbing more plates from the table. She straightens when she sees the bottle on the table.

 

“Jim, what are you doing to the poor boy,” my mother scolds and my father grins.

 

“I was just showing him what good whiskey is, Viv,” he replies and my mother gives him a stern look. “He took it well,” my father adds, patting Justin’s shoulder. “No chaser or anything.”

 

Justin is holding onto the table, looking very green and I itch to go to him and touch his face.

 

“Skylar, get him a glass of water before he passes out on the rug,” my mother says and I nod turning to go into the kitchen.

 

“No,” Justin says, his voice a low croak in his throat and I stop turning to him. “I’m fine,” he says forcing a smile at me. “I’m good.”

 

He clears his throat, swallowing hard and my father beams at him.

 

“See, he’s fine,” my father says and my mother shakes her head, handing me dishes and I take them, watching Justin blink hard and breathe through his nose and out his mouth slowly.

 

We’re back in the kitchen, setting the dishes on the counter when the phone rings. My mother wipes her hands on a dishtowel before going to pick up the extension that’s attached to the wall. I grab a glass and fill it with water, shuffling back into the dining room where my father and Justin are back to sitting at the table, Justin now in my seat still looking a little shell shocked. I move around the table, taking a sip from the glass as I do so and set it on the table at his elbow when I reach for one of the serving bowls on the table.

 

“I don’t need water, Sky,” Justin says, cutting his eyes at me. “I’m fine.”

 

“I know,” I say, nodding innocently at him. “That’s my water. You can’t have any.”

 

He smirks at me and I grin back. This doesn’t go unnoticed by my father who eyes us bemusedly.

 

“Jim?” my mother’s voice calls from the kitchen, her head peeking around the doorframe. “Phone for you.”

 

My father sighs, pulling himself up from his chair and ambling into the kitchen, both my parents disappearing into the room. I set the dishes in my hand back down on the table and walk back around the table, picking up the glass of water taking a small sip. Justin looks up at me and I grin, holding the glass out to him. He snatches it from me and downs it in one gulp, setting the glass down, his hand going to his chest as he swallows, a small derisive sound pulling from his throat. I bend down and kiss his ear, my arms snaking around his neck as I nuzzle his cheek gently.

 

“Feel better?” I ask and he cuts his eyes at me, glaring playfully.

 

“Shut up.”

 

“You’re a big strong man, Jus,” I giggle, nibbling at his earlobe and he tugs away from me, pouting slightly. “You sure showed him.”

 

“Yeah, I did,” he replies and his eyes turn dark as he looks at me. “I’m gonna show you, too… later.”

 

My jaw drops and he smirks at me, causing me to swat at his shoulder as my mother re-enters the room. She eyes us knowingly, reaching onto the table for the dishes and I duck my head, collecting silverware. Justin stands too, wobbling slightly but I don’t think my mother notices. He begins to gather dishes as well, politely ignoring my mother’s insistence that he stop. Between the three of us we gather the rest of the dishes in one trip, depositing them on the counter.

 

“Justin, go sit down,” my mother scolds and Justin just smiles at her.

 

“Now you just made me one of the best meals I’ve ever had. I’m not about to let you do the dishes,” he replies, a charming lilt in his voice that makes my mother blush. “You go on, now. Sky and I have got this,” he says, picking up a dish and turning to the sink and the matter is settled.

 

“…all right. Okay. Bye now,” my father finishes, and hangs up the phone with a sigh. I look back at him, as I scrub at a dish, Justin waiting patiently for me to finish so he can rinse it and put it in the dishwasher. “Justin, why don’t you come back into the den?”

 

Justin looks back at my father and then to me, a slightly unsure look on his face. My father grins and tilts his head backward in a beckoning gesture before disappearing back into the dining room. Justin dries his hands quickly before following, pausing to press a kiss to my cheek and then trotting after my father. I giggle slightly before turning back to the dishes. My mother sidles up next to me, taking Justin’s place, taking the dishes from me and rinsing them before putting them in the dishwasher.

 

“Who was on the phone?” I ask and my mother doesn’t respond right away, her mouth pressed into a line.

 

“Just Carl,” she responds after a moment and my stomach drops at the mention of my father’s boss.

 

“What did he want?” I ask, trying to sound unaffected.

 

“Oh you know,” my mother, says waving a hand before taking another plate from me. “The FDA may approve this new drug sometime soon.”

 

“Not this week though?” I ask, knowing what this would mean. “Dad has the week off.”

 

“Yes,” my mother says slowly, “He asked for this week off, but you know how these things are, Skylar.”

 

“He’s not leaving is he?” I ask, slight panic in my voice. He can’t leave. We have so much still to do. We’ve barely been here three hours and he’s already leaving.

 

“Well, he’ll certainly try not to,” my mother responds and I grit my teeth, not responding as anger wells inside me.

 

“All I asked for was one week,” I say, trying to keep my voice even but the bitterness is evident. “Just one week but he can’t even do that. I mean he’s barely met Justin-”

 

“Skylar,” my mother scolds and I quiet instantly. “He’s here. He’s trying. Don’t be mad at him for something that hasn’t even happened yet.”

 

“But it will happen,” I grumble, scrubbing viciously at a dish. “It always does.”

 

“Will you stop pouting,” my mother chides and I sigh. “We just made you a wonderful dinner and your father is doing everything in his power to run Justin off.” My mother chuckles. “I’d say things are going rather smoothly.”

 

I snort. “I can’t believe Dad fed him the moonshine.”

 

“I can’t believe he didn’t pass out on the carpet,” my mother replies and I nudge her with my elbow. “He’s precious, Skylar.”

 

I beam at her. “You like him?” I ask, even though I know she does. I just need to hear it.

 

“I adore him,” my mother grins, taking another plate from me. “He’s a charmer.”

 

I giggle. “Yeah, he is.”

 

“You never told me how you two got together,” my mother prods gently and I nearly drop the glass I’m washing.

 

“Oh…we... um…”

 

“Skylar what are you doing letting this woman do the dishes after the meal she just cooked,” it’s Justin’s voice from the doorway and we both turn to find him grinning as he saunters in.

 

“I was perilous to stop her,” I quip, sharing a smile with my mother as we both eye him.

 

“Vivian, I want you to go into the living room,” Justin says placing his hands on her shoulders and looking her sternly in the face. “and sit down and relax.”

 

My mother laughs and reaches for the towel to dry her hands. “Okay, okay.” She pats Justin’s cheek. “Such a sweet boy.” She makes her way to the doorway. “And handsome too,” she adds before disappearing down the hall. Justin dips his head in a blush.

 

“Your mom is great,” Justin grins, watching her leave. “I now see where you get it,” he adds, his arms slipping around my waist and hugging me back against him.

 

“Get what?” I grin, turning my head to try and see him better.

 

“Your ravishing good looks of course,” he whispers lowly, nibbling at my ear and I giggle at him.

 

“Oh stop,” I scold half-heartedly and he sighs, pulling his arms from around my waist and resuming his position next to me, rinsing the dishes I have washed.

 

“Your dad’s a trip,” he says, placing a bowl gingerly in the dishwasher.

 

“Oh god, what’d he do to you now?” I ask, grinning.

 

“Just you know…asking about my intentions,” he replies smirking and my heart stops.

 

“Oh my god, really?” I ask, looking at him horrified and he grins.

 

“Yeah,” he says, taking the last pan from me and slipping it into the dishwasher. “I just told him, you know, we have a pretty casual thing.” He nods trying to suppress his grin.


”Oh yes,” I say, the corners of my mouth turning up. “Very casual.”

 

“Yeah, I mean I tried to express how I’m just in it for the sex,” Justin sighs and I swat at his chest, bumping my hip with his to move him out of the way so I can start the dishwasher.

 

“Oh is that all?” I ask as I turn to face him, my arms crossed over my chest and he smirks, pushing me so that his hips trap mine against the counter.

 

“I dunno,” he sighs, licking his lips slowly. “What do you think?”

 

“I think you put up a big front,” I reply, my hands smoothing down his chest and back up again to rest on his broad shoulders.

 

“Is that so?” he asks, regarding me amusedly and I nod, one finger trailing down the middle of his chest, rubbing over the polo player embroidered on his breast pocket. “You think I…” his finger hooks under my chin, his eyes crashing into mine, “love you or some crazy mess like that?”

 

I grin at him nodding and he grins back, his mouth brushing mine before kissing me fully. His hands fall to my hips, squeezing gently as he presses me back harder into the counter and I push on his chest lightly, nervousness settling in my stomach at the fact that my parents are in the other room. He pulls back slightly, licking his lips.

 

“What you usually like it when I hoist you up on the counter,” he smirks and I blush, tracing a finger down his chest.

 

“My parents…” I whisper and he nods at me, still smirking.

 

“I guess you’ll just have to wait till later,” he grins and leans forward, his eyes mischievous as he whispers in my ear. “And there will definitely be a ‘later.’”

Chapter 4 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

Happy Thanksgiving Folks!!!!

 


It’s late, the house quiet and dark, as he and I snuggle close on the couch, watching Conan. Justin’s not a big fan of late night television. Simply because of his past experience with being interviewed by them but we’re not really watching. We’re waiting.

My parents went to bed just after Leno, my mother hugging me and patting Justin’s shoulder affectionately before making her way up the stairs. My father followed suit just moments later, eyeing Justin warily before heading up the stairs and after a few moments of floorboards creaking, all was silent save for the television and the steady beat of Justin’s heart in my ear.

My cheek rests easily against his chest, his arm slung effortlessly around my shoulders, fingers rubbing small circles over my bicep. I can feel my stomach tightening, butterflies tickling in anticipation as we wait. He shifts next to me and I look up at him, finding his eyes on the television, the blue light dancing across his handsome face. He glances down at me a smile tugging at his lips as his nose nuzzles against mine slightly. I nuzzle back, grinning at him, placing a hand on his shoulder to pull myself up a little and I press my mouth to his.

He lets me kiss him for a moment, unmoving, savoring my mouth on his before he brings his hand up and cups my face. His tongue presses past my lips, massaging against mine slowly, tasting me as his hand smoothes my hair back from my face. I press my body close to his, one hand gripping his thigh as I pull myself up on my knees to get better access.

His hands move down to my hips, gripping and pulling me to straddle his thighs. He shushes at me when I try to protest, his hands delving up into my hair and tugging my face down to his. He kisses me deeply, mouth slanting over mine, sucking on my bottom lip slowly. His hands snake down my body, smoothing over my shoulders and down my arms, gripping my hips and pressing me harder into his lap. I moan when I feel him hardening under the denim of his jeans, senses heightened by the fact that this is so very wrong, making out with my…with Justin on my parent’s couch.

“You wanna take this upstairs?” he asks lowly, his teeth nipping at my bottom lip teasingly. “or do you wanna do it right here.”

I gasp and he smirks at me, wiggling his eyebrows and I pinch his nipple through his shirt, causing him to arch his back and hiss, grinning at me cheekily. I pull myself from his lap and he stands, taking my hand as he flicks off the TV and we’re thrown into darkness.

He guides me slowly up the stairs, walking slow so he doesn’t trip and I can feel my stomach fluttering, his words ringing in my ears. Tonight I’m going to fuck you in that bed, you know that right? That’s the thing with Justin. He’s been this way ever since I’ve known him. He can be sweet and caring, and make love to me all night long. But he’s a dirty bastard sometimes, sneaking up behind me and hoisting me up on the counter, fucking me until I can’t stop screaming. Or bending me in half in my childhood bed. I shiver in anticipation.

He pushes open the door to my room and we step inside, him shutting the door behind us with a soft snap. The room is pitch black aside from a thin shaft of light that falls across the floor from the street lamp below let in by the sheer curtains. I feel his hands on my hips, sliding around my waist and reaching for the button on my pants, his lips pressing against my ear, breathing hotly against it. He flicks the button open effortlessly, dragging the zipper down as he presses his face into my hair, inhaling deeply and humming in approval. I sigh, pressing my body back into his as he slips his hands inside the corduroy, causing his palms to meld to the outside of my thighs, trapping him against me. His mouth is on my neck, kissing me, nibbling at my skin as he works my pants down, my arms going up to encircle his neck the best I can, letting my head fall back against his shoulder.

“I told you,” he whispers lowly, his hands smoothing up my stomach underneath my sweater. “I was gonna fuck you in this bed.”

I do my best to suppress my giggle. “God, you’re so dirty.”

He chuckles. “You love it,” he whispers hotly, his arms squeezing me gently and I shiver. “You want it just as bad as I do.”

And I do. God, I really fucking do.

His hands are snaking up my stomach, reaching higher and higher towards my chest until he’s pressing his palms to my breasts, letting me feel the heat of his skin through the thin padding of my bra. I kick my pants from my ankles and turn in his arms, grinning when he presses his lips to mine as my fingers fumble with the buttons of his shirt. I smooth it off his shoulders, standing on tip toes to kiss his throat, my fingers slipping under the hem of his thin t-shirt.

He hums softly as my finger tips brush over his abs, the soft cotton of his shirt catching at my wrists as I smooth the fabric up his body. He raises his arms and I tug the shirt over his head, letting it fall to the ground discarded. His mouth finds mine in the dark, his nose bumping mine clumsily and I can feel him smile against my lips. My hands wander over his naked torso, moaning at the feel of his skin wrapped tight over hard muscle. He swallows hard as I let my nails skitter from his collarbone to his belly button, his hands squeezing my hips impatiently.

I rise up, my arms circling around his neck and his hands smooth down my thighs before coming back up to grip my ass, his palms warm through the thin lace of my panties. He hums his approval, his fingers squeezing my flesh gently.

“You wore your sexy panties to your parents’ place?” he whispers, his lips against mine and I grin widely. “You are such a fucking tease.”

“Hey,” I chide, laughter in my voice as his hands press me harder against him, his mouth moving from mine, lips brushing my cheek. “It’s not teasing if I plan on letting you take them off.”

He moans softly as my lips slide across his jaw, his hands pulling my body flush against his and I can feel him trapped inside his jeans. My fingers curl against the back of his neck, my fingernails scraping his skin gently and I feel him shiver as goose bumps break out over his skin. His chest rumbles softly, his hands smoothing up my hips and he’s pushing my sweater up, reaching for the hook of my bra and he flicks it open effortlessly. I smile against his neck, sucking his Adam’s apple softly before he pulls me back to tug my sweater over my head, my bra coming with it.

I stand on tip toes again, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck, crushing our chests together, skin on skin. I sigh, pressing my cheek to his, savoring the warmth of his body as his hands skim smoothly up and down my back, his lips pressing dry kisses onto my shoulder.

“I want you,” he breathes, his hands holding my hips, fingertips gripping me and I smile against his shoulder, kissing him there softly.

“Good,” I reply, nibbling on his earlobe and he chuckles softly, his stomach quivering against mine before I press my fingertips to his chest and push him back.

I give him a sexy smirk as I back my way towards the bed, stepping into the thin stream of light from the window. I can barely make out him licking his lips in the dark, his hand going to his belt, undoing the buckle. I bite my lip as he flicks open his pants, glancing nervously at the door. He makes a hissing sound meant to draw my attention and I look back at him. He shakes his head at me slowly, stepping into the light and the lust in his eyes is potent, sending a tremor through my body straight to my center.

He hooks his finger under my chin, tilting my face up so he can ravage my mouth. I clutch onto his biceps, whimpering softly against his lips. He can still get me with just one kiss. One kiss is all it has ever taken for me to surrender to him completely. And he knows it too. That bastard.

I pull back panting, hands sliding down his torso, thumbs hooking in the waistband of his jeans. His hands mold the heavy globes of my breasts as I push at the material, sending the denim and the soft cotton of his boxers to the floor.

He kicks them off his legs impatiently, pressing me until my knees hit the mattress and I fall back, the bed squeaking quietly in protest. I tense, my eyes flitting to the door. This is all we need is for someone to walk in on this.

“Hey,” he says softly as he crawls over me and I feel his length brush my thigh. “quit worrying.” He nibbles at my neck. “We’re good at not getting caught.”

“Justin!” I say in a heated whisper and I feel him smile, his hips wiggling so that he rubs against my thigh.

“Shhhh,” he chides softly, his mouth nibbling at my collarbone, “They’ll hear you.”

I narrow my eyes at him, swatting his chest and he grins, his lips descending on mine again, tongue slipping in hotly. His hand is smoothing down my stomach, slipping under the waistband of my panties and I gasp as his fingers slide through my wetness, the pad of his middle finger massaging my clit slowly. My mouth falls open, a strangled whimper dying in my throat as he bites my shoulder gently.

I inhale sharply as one long finger penetrates, pressing in slowly, testing my readiness for him. I pant as he works me slowly, pushing and pulling that finger in and out a few times before adding another and my nails bite into his arms to keep from whimpering. He’s sucking at the crook of my shoulder, teeth grazing slightly before licking up the side of my neck, his fingers still working slow, stretching me, making me tremble with want for him, warm and heavy against my thigh.

“J-Justin,” I stutter softly, nails clawing down his arms and his mouth covers mine again.

I whimper at the bittersweet feeling of his fingers leaving my body, missing the friction, but knowing what’s coming will be even better. His thumbs are hooking in my panties, dragging them down my legs and I kick them off when they reach my ankles, my arms wrapping around his shoulders as he settles between my legs.

I hiss, feeling him pressing intimately against me, one arm bracing himself over me as the other rubs himself in my wetness, teasing himself. He hums against my throat, lips kissing and sucking down to the dip of my collarbone and my head falls to the side, eyeing the door again.

“Justin,” I whisper, gasping as I feel him slip the tip in, my fingernails digging in in warning.

“What?” he pants, his voice strained but he does not move.

“We should get under the blankets.”

His forehead falls to my shoulder, a frustrated sound pulling from his throat and I stroke the back of his head apologetically. He pulls back with a sigh and I kiss his forehead quickly as we scoot up the bed, doing my best to push the blankets down so we can slip under them.

I finally lay back, the coolness of the sheets pressing against my heated skin, my head sinking back into the pillow. Justin grunts as he pulls the quilt up around his waist and settles back between my legs again, sighing as he presses against me, his length nestled against my slick folds.

“You know I’m pretty sure anyone who walked in would still know what’s going on,” he pants, his lips brushing mine as he speaks, his hips wiggling slightly.

“You’re gonna talk me out of this if you don’t shut up,” I warn teasingly and he chuckles.

“Oh you’d stop me now?” he asks, his hips pressing to mine and he slides through my slickness, rubbing me torturously and I swallow hard.

I shake my head, my arms wrapping under his to clutch at his back. He chuckles softly, pulling back just enough to position himself and he has to cover my mouth with his to silence my moan as he slides in, the pleasure overwhelming and sometimes it’s hard for me to believe it can still be this good.

I clutch at his back, his palms pressing into the mattress as he settles over me, kissing me deeply. His tongue slides in against mine and I whimper, feeling him deep inside me, just holding and pressing, letting me feel him. I wrench my mouth from his, gasping for air, my head falling to the side and he presses his face into my neck, panting.

“Jesus, Skylar,” he grunts, his breath coming out in a rush against my skin.

I merely hum in response, nails dragging down his back causing him to shiver. He settles himself on his elbows, his belly smooth against mine and he pulls back to kiss me slowly as he tugs back a little before arching his back and penetrating me deeply again.

I whimper softly, hooking my ankles around his calves as he thrusts evenly, his mouth bumping against mine as he grunts softly. He falls into a languid rhythm that’s easy and steady, just letting me feel him, feel the pleasure he gives.

I don’t even realize I’m moaning softly until he shushes me, his hands holding my face, smoothing my hair back and kissing me to muffle the sound. Our breathing has turned ragged, our bodies heating up and all I can concentrate on is his hips bumping mine steadily.

“J-Justin,” I whimper softly and his hand slides around my jaw, shushing me again as the tingle starts in my legs.

He drops his head to my shoulder, rocking harder against me and I bite my bottom lip hard, trying to keep the moan at bay as he nudges that spot inside me. My mouth falls open, a sigh of pleasure rushing out as he digs his teeth into my flesh to muffle his groan and I know its taking every ounce of willpower not to hook his arms under my legs and make me scream for him.

“Oh god,” I pant, feeling my stomach begin to tighten and he pulls back to look at me, his eyes shining through the darkness.

“Am I…” he swallows hard. “Am I gonna have to put my hand over your mouth?” he pants, his nose nuzzling mine and I just press my mouth to his, crushing my moan down to a quiet whimper.

I feel his groan vibrate in his chest, his hips pressing harder into mine and I gasp, forcing my moan down and I’m so close…so close. His hands come up, holding my face as he presses his forehead into mine, my nails digging into the skin over his shoulder blades.

“I got you baby,” he whispers gently, his voice a rush of air against my lips. “let it go. I got you.”

My head tips back, my back arching off the bed and his hand comes up to muffle the sound as I cry out, every muscle in my body tensing as I convulse around him, the pleasure so intense and so intimate and I love him. I love him more than anything, my fingers digging into his back, my thighs squeezing around his hips. I pant hard, gripping his wrist with a trembling hand and he releases his grip on my mouth.

His breathing is hitching hard, still working in and out and I curl my arms between us, holding his face, barely making out his features in darkness. His mouth falls open and he buries his face in my neck, my arms moving to circle his shoulders as he thrusts powerfully into me, my hand delving into the hair at the back of his head. I scratch at his scalp, peppering kisses against the searing flesh of his ear and the side of his face. He whimpers softly, his hands curling around my shoulders and I feel his back go rigid, biting my shoulder brutally as he comes hard, rushing warmly into me.

He relaxes, letting his weight settle over me and I hug him tight, kissing along his shoulder. He’s panting hard as he pulls back, his breath tickling my flesh, stinging where his teeth sunk in. He kisses the spot tenderly, apologetically and my nails scratch at his scalp soothingly, telling him its okay.

His mouth finds mine again and I hiss as he pulls out, rolling into his side and pulling me with him, allowing me to settle weakly against his chest. He tucks my head under his chin, his fingers combing lazily through my hair and we struggle to catch our breaths. He chuckles slightly.

“What?” I ask, lifting my head a little to nuzzle against his throat and he turns his head, looking off to the side of the bed.

“Bun Bun may just be traumatized for life.”

I scoff, slapping his shoulder and he laughs, his chest vibrating with it. I press my lips to the middle of his chest, enjoying the feel of his skin under my lips. He hums in approval, his hand smoothing over my hair as I rest my cheek over his heart, my fingers lining with his ribs.

“So, I’m the first guy in this bed?” he prods, his fingers working through my hair lazily.

I smirk. “Yes.”

“So you went to his place then?” he asks, his voice light but there’s a cautious edge to it. My brow furrows in confusion.

“Huh?” I ask looking up at him, barely making out his face in the dark.

“You went to his place when you cashed in your v-card?” he grins, poking me in the ribs and I squirm.

“No,” I reply defensively and he quarks his eyebrow at me.

“Really?” he asks and looks up at the ceiling perplexed. He cuts his eyes at me. “You didn’t lose it the backseat of his car did you?”

“No, I’m not a slut thanks,” I giggle, my palm rubbing against his skin, enjoying teasing him a little.

“Hotel room on prom night?” he prods and I roll my eyes.

“No.”

“Why won’t you tell me,” he whines, his fingers scratching against my ribs tickling me lightly. I giggle as he yawns.

“Why do you want to know?” I ask, the pad of my forefinger circling his nipple and he shifts beneath me.

“You know how I lost mine,” he argues the end of his sentence nearly drowned out by a yawn.

I smirk, pressing a kiss to his chest again and look up to find his eyelids heavy, a lazy smile pulling at his lips. I just watch him for a moment as he fights sleep, his eyes opening before fluttering shut again. I smile softly, pressing my mouth to his gently before resting my cheek against his chest again and fall asleep to the steady thud of his heart.
Chapter 5 by SomethingBlue42
I awake easily the next morning, weak sunlight dappling through the curtains. I keep my eyes closed, not moving, just savoring the feeling of being home again. No papers to sign, no interns to manage, no museums to negotiate with for priceless relics. Just me in my old bedroom, comfortable and warm. Well, not just me.

Justin stirs slightly behind me and I can’t fight the smile that tugs at my lips. His arms are wrapped tightly around my waist, knees tucked up behind mine, his front melded to my back, cocooning me completely with his body. His breath fans steadily against my naked shoulder as I snuggle back into him, my hands smoothing over his forearms. He squeezes me gently, a derisive sound coming from his throat as he buries his face in my hair. If there is one thing that has never changed about Justin, it’s the fact that he hates to be woken up before he’s good and ready.

I crack my eyes open finally, the clock on the bedside table reading nine-thirty. It’s then that I can hear my parents bustling around downstairs. I can imagine my mother getting things from the refrigerator as she starts breakfast and my father sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper. A normal Wednesday morning for them.

I should be getting up. If I know my father he’ll be up here any minute to rip the blankets off me, hollering jovially that its time to start the day. Justin shifts behind me and I feel him pressing into my lower back. I shiver. Yeah, I definitely need to get up.

I pull myself from Justin’s arms, heart tugging as he whines pitifully, trying to keep a hold of me. When I stand up, he loses his grip and his arms fall to the bed heavily, weighed down by sleep. He growls lightly curling into himself and I grab the quilt, tugging it up over his exposed shoulder and he burrows down, sighing contentedly, falling back into a heavy sleep.

I step into the bathroom, showering and dressing before stepping out into the room again. I giggle when I see that Justin is nothing but a ball of covers in the middle of the bed, one pillow pulled firmly over his head. I lean over him, pulling the pillow away and see little tufts of brown curls peeking out from under the blankets, half of his forehead and one eye, tightly shut, barely visible. I smile, fluffing his hair gently and he stirs, a derisive sound pulling from his throat as he cracks one eye open.

“S’it time to get up?” he slurs, his voice thick with sleep as he cranes his neck, looking around the room blearily.

I shush him gently, running my hand over his hair soothingly. “No, you sleep,” I whisper softly, pressing a kiss to his ear, my fingernails scratching at his scalp gently. He presses his head into my hand. “I’m just going downstairs.”

He hums in response, rolling onto his stomach and glaring at his pillow before snatching mine and burying his face in it, inhaling deeply before heaving a contented sigh. I ruffle his hair affectionately, my heart swelling because I love him so much its ridiculous. I press one more kiss to his temple before pulling myself away and trotting happily out of the room and down the stairs.

It’s a beautiful day. I’m home and it’s chilly outside but warm in here and Justin is upstairs, chasing those last few moments of sleep, and I could not be more content than I am right now. This is everything I wanted this trip to be.

My mother turns from the refrigerator as I enter the kitchen, her hands full of eggs and butter and bacon. My father is sitting in his usual chair by the wall, hidden behind the morning newspaper. I grin. Just like I imagined.

“Good morning Momma,” I say, kissing my mother on the cheek before sitting down next to my father, who barely glances up from his paper.

“Good mornin’ sugar,” she responds, setting her items on the counter. “D’you two sleep okay?”

“Great,” I respond brightly, my hands smoothing over the ruffled place mat.

“Justin still sleeping good?” my father asks, eyeing me over the newspaper and I give him a condescending smile.

“He’s been working a lot lately,” I reply, which is the truth but its always the truth with Justin. “He barely had an hour between when he stepped off the plane from Vegas to when he got on with me to fly down here. He’s just jet lagged.”

“Vegas huh?” my father asks, grumbling from behind his newspaper.

“For work,” I insist, trying to get him to hear me through the comic strips that are facing me. “He had a golf tournament there and-”

“Jim, will you stop harping on the boy,” my mother chides as she sets the skillet on the stove, dropping a large dollop of butter in the pan. “You’re gonna give your daughter an aneurism.”

The phone rings before my father can protest and my mother sighs, drying her hands on a dish towel before moving to answer it.

“Hello?....” She cups the mouth piece with her hand. “Jim, its Carl.”

My stomach drops. I watch as my father sighs, folding up his newspaper and setting it on the table as he pulls himself from his chair.

“I’ll take it in the den,” he replies, pecking my mother on the forehead as he ambles out of the kitchen.

My mother holds the receiver until she verifies that he has it on the other line then she hangs up, shuffling back over to the stove. I sigh, standing and moving to lean against the counter, watching as she pulls strings of bacon from the package.

“He’s going to leave,” I say stiffly and my mother sighs in annoyance.

“Honestly, Skylar,” she says shaking her head.

“Mom, you know I’ve never really complained.” She eyes me hard. “Okay I have but I’m pretty sure I have a valid argument this time. He told me he’d be here for this.”

My mother sighs, watching me from the corner of her eye and she doesn’t say anything for a long moment, dropping bacon into the frying pan. The sizzling of the meat is the only sound in the kitchen before she takes a deep, cautious breath.

“You’re pretty serious with Justin?” she asks.

I shift, crossing my arms over my chest. “Yes.”

“You said he works a lot?”

I shift again. Where is she going with this? “Yes.”

“He’s out of town a lot.”

Ah, there it is. “It’s different.”

“Is it Skylar?” my mother asks, her eyes boring into mine. “Is it really so different?”

I swallow hard at the accusation in her voice. She sighs, shaking her head as she turns back to the pan, turning the bacon over with a fork, watching it wiggle and pop.

“You always said you would never live like this,” she says gently. “You said you would have a man with a steady job that was home every night by six.”

“I was ten years old,” I argue, my arms folding tighter against my chest.

“You hate it, Skylar,” she says, her eyes meeting mine again. “The leaving, you can’t stand it. You never could. You were always so sensitive to it. I don’t know why you would set yourself up to be hurt like this.”

Rage boils in me. “You do it,” I say, venom in my voice. “You’ve done it for almost forty years.”

“Because I love your father,” she replies evenly and I grit my teeth.

“I love Justin,” I say, my stomach quivering. I’ve never told my mother I loved someone before. Its scary and some how validating, making what Justin and I have seem almost permanent.

“I’m not saying you don’t, Sky,” my mother says, looking back at me her eyes soft and understanding in a way that only mothers can be. “I’m just saying think long and hard about what you want. Think if he can give that to you.”

My chest tightens. Ever since that day in Justin’s bedroom I haven’t looked back. I put my arms around him and told him that I loved him; I was never going to quit and that’s all I’ve seen. Me and him together. I didn’t hesitate. I didn’t question. I haven’t looked back. And now, standing in the kitchen with my mother watching her make bacon, she has gotten me to do something that I never even dreamed would happen again.

She got me to doubt.

“You love him, honey,” my mother says and my eyes snap to hers. “You love him and that’s wonderful.” Her voice is earnest when she says this, her eyes bright and I can tell she really is happy for me, happy because I’m happy. But then her eyes turn soft as does her voice. “But don’t wake up one day and realize you’re miserable because he does the same things that have always hurt you.”

“Good morning ladies!”

I nearly jump out of my skin as Justin saunters into the kitchen, freshly showered and shaven, wearing the dark grey sweater I bought him that he loves so much. He pads over to me, his socked feet making no sound on the tile and he drops a tender kiss on my forehead before peering over my mothers shoulder.

“God, it smells good in here.”

“Well, we certainly know the way to your heart don’t we honey?” my mother chuckles smiling brightly all traces of our conversation gone from her face even though it haunts me still.

Justin pecks her on the cheek. “I’m a simple man, Viv,” he replies with a chuckle before moving to sit down at the breakfast table, snatching the newspaper and opening it.

I move to sit next to him, doubt gnawing at my insides, watching him peruse the sports section. I love Justin. I have loved Justin since I was twenty-three years old. I’ve never stopped. I feel like I can’t breathe without him. But what if my mother’s right? I don’t want to spend the rest of my life waiting for someone to come home. I’ve done that enough already.

“Dammit the Packers lost,” he mutters and then he glances at me, eyes holding mine for a moment. “Everything okay?”

I blink. “Yeah…sorry,” I say, shaking my head and he just eyes me, a grin pulling at his lips.

“I know. I know. I look good in this sweater,” he sighs, flipping the page in the paper and I laugh at him, my doubts shoved away for a moment by how adorable he is.

“Oh, so humble,” I sigh and he grins cheekily at me, perusing the entertainment page.

“So are you taking Justin around town today?” My mother asks, laying bacon out on a paper towel before cracking an egg into the skillet.

“Yes, Skylar are you taking me around town today,” he smirks, and then leans in to whisper “maybe show me where you lost it.”

I gasp, slapping at him across the table and he pulls back, his bottom lip protruding as he rubs his arm.

“That hurt,” he whines, his brow knitting and his eyes holding that wounded look I’ve seen so many times when he’s trying to get sympathy.

“Skylar Jane,” my mother says warningly and Justin turns to her wide eyed.

“Did you see it? She hit me.”

“Don’t hit Justin, Skylar,” my mother replies not even turning from her pan and my jaw drops, glaring at Justin across the table. I hear my mother chuckle softly.

“You are such a suck up!” I exclaim, swatting at him again and he leans back, dodging my hands.

“Yes I am,” he smirks proudly and then glances at my mother to make sure she’s occupied before bringing his fingers to his lips and waggling his tongue between them lewdly.

I gasp loudly, mouth jaw falling open and he grins at me, wiggling his eyebrows. He ducks his head as my mother sets a glass of orange juice in front of him and he grins up at her in thanks before looking at me lasciviously again. I roll my eyes at him receiving a cheeky grin in return.

“Justin!” my father booms as he shuffles back into the kitchen and Justin immediately sits up straighter in his chair. “I take it you slept well.”

“Yes,” Justin says, smiling widely, his eyes cutting to me and I blush.

“Good, good,” he says, settling back into his seat, seemingly not to notice our little exchange. “Sky’s bed big enough for the two of you?”

“Dad!” I exclaim in a heated whisper and he chuckles, folding up the newspaper clearly enjoying my discomfort and I realize just how alike my father and Justin really are.

“Jim,” my mother scolds, bringing over the frying pan to drop a few eggs on Justin’s plate and then mine. My father ducks his head, chastised.

“You gonna take Justin to Cosway’s?” my father asks his eyes on my mother as she puts a few eggs on his plate.

“Yeah probably for lunch,” I respond, reaching for the salt and sprinkling some on my eggs.

“Baby could you pass the salt,” Justin and my father say at the exact same time and they look at each other wide eyed across the table before chuckling.

“Go ahead,” my father says, shaking out the newspaper and I hand the salt shaker to Justin who takes it grinning sheepishly.

My mother is shaking her head slowly as she rounds the kitchen table, walking behind Justin but she stops behind him, her brow crinkling.

“Justin what’s on your neck?”

Justin and I both freeze instantly, our eyes snapping to each other. I look carefully at his neck and can see no visible teeth marks from last nights tryst. He seems to relax a little as my mother’s finger smudges against the base of his neck.

“Oh that’s…” he trails, reaching to adjust his sweater higher on his shoulders. “That’s just my tattoo.” I exhale slowly.

“Tattoo!” My father exclaims, peering over the top of the newspaper and I cringe.

“Dad,” I whisper through clenched teeth as my mother sits across from me.

“That’s nice dear,” she says, brushing over my father’s exclamation and he bristles behind his paper, continuing to read again. “What’s it of?”

“It’s a guardian angel,” he says, reaching up to fiddle with his collar nervously and then gives her a bashful grin. “It was for my mother.”

My mother’s face goes soft, her eyes going slightly misty and I look at him slightly amazed. I glance at my father who is now pretending to read his paper and he seems somewhat less stiff. Well played Justin, well played.

“Well that’s the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard,” My mother says and Justin dips his head in a blush. “Your momma must be so proud of you.”

Justin’s face lights up the way it always does when he talks about his mother. “She’s pretty pleased,” he grins and then adds. “I got good genes what can I say.”

“You’re from Memphis?” My mother asks politely, keeping her eyes on Justin as she forks eggs into her mouth.

“Yes ma’am,” Justin says nodding, wiping his mouth with a napkin and then reaching for his orange juice. “A little bit outside of the city. In a little town called Millington.”

“You’re family still live around there?” my mother asks and Justin nods, draining his glass of orange juice.

“My mother and grandparents. Live right next door to each other actually,” he says and then goes to take another drink but remembers his glass is empty.

“I got it,” I say softly, placing a hand on his arm and stand from the table, tugging up my jeans a little as I walk to the fridge.

“Skylar you’re wearing jeans,” my mother says, her voice slightly surprised and I look down at myself as I open the refrigerator door.

“They look good on her huh?” Justin asks grinning as his eyes travel up my legs. “See I told you.”

“She hardly ever wears jeans,” my mother says and Justin nods in agreement. “even when she was younger she preferred khakis or skirts.”

“Exactly!” Justin exclaims and I roll my eyes, filling his glass with orange juice before setting the jug back in the fridge. “Which is why I designed those for her.” I see my father’s ears perk up, eyeing Justin over the paper. “She just needed a fit that looked good on her.”

“You designed those?” my mother asks slightly impressed and Justin nods

“For my clothing line. They’re the “Skylar” fit.” He sniggers to himself, forking more eggs into his mouth and I scowl as I set his now full glass at his elbow. “Thanks darlin’.”

“You have a clothing line?” My father asks incredulously.

My mother gasps, elated. “Skylar you never told me you had a pair of jeans named after you!”

“It’s not a big deal Mom,” I grumble and Justin grins, tapping on my hip as he forces me to turn around.

“See how the lower waistline accentuates the curve of her hips? And the design of the yolk on the back makes her ass look…” he trails his ears turning pink and my mother smirks at him. He clears his throat not even daring to look at my father who is eyeing him hard over the top of the newspaper. “Plus a slouchy trouser fit is so totally her.”

“Can we stop looking at my ass now,” I whine, pretending I don’t notice the smirk on Justin’s lips as I flop back down in my chair.

“Don’t curse honey,” my mother says, shaking her head slightly and I sigh.

“Thirty-three years old and I can’t curse,” I mutter to myself and my father chuckles.

“Damn straight, young lady.” I narrow my eyes at him before breaking into a smile. “How old are you again Justin?”

Justin and I both cringe. “T-twenty-seven,” he says and then forks an enormous bite of food into his mouth.

“How did you kids meet anyway?” my father asks and Justin’s jaw is working slowly, trying to swallow the food in his mouth. Thanks Jus.

“Oh gosh,” I say, looking at the watch on my wrist. “It’s getting late. We have a lot to do today.”

“Yeah we do,” Justin chimes in, standing from his chair then draining his glass of orange juice. “Thanks for breakfast Viv it was wonderful,” he adds leaning down to peck her cheek and my mother blushes under his attention. My father eyes him skeptically.

I grab Justin and my plates, dropping them in the sink before ushering Justin out of the kitchen, giving my parents a short wave.

“You know we really need to come up with an answer to that question,” I whisper to him as we walk into the foyer, reaching for my coat.

“What question?” Justin asks, taking my coat from me and holding it open so I can slip my arms through.

“How we met,” I say, reaching to untuck my hair from my collar but he beats me to it, his fingers sliding warmly against my neck.

“We don’t have anything to be ashamed of Skylar,” he says seriously and I sigh.

“Easy for you to say,” I grumble watching him tug on his leather jacket. “You’re not the one who committed a felony.”

He laughs. “So that’s why it felt so damn good.” I squeal as he snatches me close, nibbling at my neck and growling. I push at his chest and he pulls back grinning. “All we have to do is tell the truth babe.” He shrugs unaffectedly, pressing a kiss to the tip of my nose before he releases me to step out the front door. “You seduced me and I was so young and innocent I was really perilous to stop myself.”

My eyes widen. “That’s not how it went!” I exclaim and he throws his head back laughing as he trots down the front steps, me chasing after him.
Chapter 6 by SomethingBlue42
“So we’ve established that it wasn’t at your old grade school-”

“Oh god,” I groan, rolling my eyes, my fingers tightening around the steering wheel.

“-or your high school, or the park-”

“Really Justin,” I sigh, pulling onto the main drag of my sleepy little town. “Will you stop?”

He’s been pestering me about this all morning and while keeping the details of my lost virginity a secret from him had been amusing last night it was starting to wear thin. I suppose I could just tell him; it’s not like its some big secret. But the fact that he just won’t let it go makes me feel like this is less about knowing and more about getting his way. The spoiled brat.

Or if I was really honest with myself I would know that my irritability has less to do with Justin’s constant prodding and more to do with the fact that my mother’s words are still haunting me. It’s true I’ve always wanted a man with a steady job and while Justin certainly has the means to support us and a small country, he’s gone a lot. Sometimes he leaves at a moments notice even and my mother is right; the leaving hurts. It always has. It hits me deep inside and aches and I hate it. I don’t want to live that way, just waiting for the next thing to take him away from me. So where does that leave me? Where does it leave us?

I shake my head, concentrating on the road, my eyes flicking nostalgically around Main Street. Nothing has changed here, all the same stores are still in business and even though its bitter cold outside everyone in town is still milling around, doing a little shopping on their lunch hour. The antique store still has their giant six foot tall wooden Indian out front that even though it’s been for sale since I can remember no one buys it because it’s such a staple on the main drag of town. That and it’s dead ugly of course. The hardware store still has the same old weather beaten sign and of course Cosway’s sign glows neon pink in the gray afternoon light. I sigh. It’s so good to be home.

“What position was it?”

I gasp loudly, nearly crashing into the row of cars parked along the street. “Justin!”

“Jesus woman how in the hell did you get a driver’s license?” he teases, reaching to take the wheel and I slap his hand.

“If you wouldn’t ask me lewd questions while I was trying to drive I assure you I would be doing much better,” I say bristling as I tap the breaks, preparing to swing into a spot in front of Cosway’s.

“If you would tell me I wouldn’t be asking you lewd questions,” he argues petulantly and I roll my eyes, swinging open the car door and stepping out into the bitter chill to escape his interrogation. “And besides,” he continues, unfolding his lanky frame from the front seat and slamming the car door behind him, hurrying to stand next to me on the curb. “It’s not lewd. I’m supposed to know these things. Sexual history and what not.” He grins smarmily at me and I narrow my eyes at him.

“Oh really,” I ask, stepping around him to make my way to the entrance of the diner and he darts in front of my quickly to grab the door, holding it open for me, still grinning like the little brat he is. I smirk. Two can play this game.  “Well then I guess I should know yours too. How many women have you slept with?” I ask, enjoying the way his face blanches as I breeze past him.

My breath catches in my throat all joking forgotten as I’m transported back to my sophomore year in high school. Cosway’s is exactly the same, same scratched black and white tile, same yellowed photographs on the walls, same tan booths the leather cracking from wear. There’s a group of teenagers sitting in the big round booth in the back sipping milkshakes and eating cheese fries laughing and whispering conspiratorially among themselves. The only thing missing is “Love Will Never Do Without You” playing over the speakers. Instead it’s some pop/rock mess sung by that boy group Justin had at his golf tournament a couple months ago. I turn to find Justin standing right behind me, looking around curiously, his cheeks pink from the cold and I rest my hand on his chest for a second, just glad he’s here with me before shrugging out of my coat and hanging it on the rack by the door.

I love having him with me. I love being near him. I love that even in a room full of people I know where he is. It’s like I have this strange radar for him, always knowing when he’s near. But then again I always know when he’s gone as well. I think about the way I feel when he leaves, when he’s away, when he comes back. I try to think of what it would feel like if the third part of the sequence were erased. If he was just gone. The memory hits me so quick it steals my breath and I’m standing in an elevator, my entire body trembling as the doors close on his handsome, boyish face, his lips forming the words “I love you.”

“Hey you okay?” Justin asks, his hand on my back and I jump, realizing I’d been frowning. His eyes are concerned and I plaster a smile on my face.

“Reminiscing,” I say shrugging and he eyes me skeptically before hanging his coat over mine on the rack.

As he turns back to me I reach up and peck him on the lips, catching him somewhat by surprise and he smiles brightly as my hand slips into his and I guide him to the old counter where I slide on one of the cracked leather stools, resting my elbows on the chipped white counter. Justin slides onto the stool next to me reaching across me for a menu and he smells clean, like him and I feel warm and full, and I can’t really fathom ever being without him.

I watch him as he peruses the menu easily, his blue eyes scanning the page quickly. His ears are tinged pink from the cold, his hair short but curling just slightly at the ends. His cheeks are shadowed and scruffy and I can tell he didn’t shave this morning. He’s wearing the sweater I bought him a month or so ago when he went away for his golf tournament and I remember the feeling of breezing past the men’s department in Saks my fingers reaching out absently to brush the cashmere and in that moment I had missed him so terribly that I bought the damn thing. I’d shoved it in a drawer, embarrassed by my absurdity and completely forgotten about it until he’d come out of my room one morning, bare-chested, jeans slung low on his slim hips, asking if it was his. I merely blinked and in my panic I said yes, that I’d bought it for him and the grin that broke out over his face was dazzling as he tugged it eagerly over his head.

I smile at the memory but it darkens when I remember how that night he’d called me from the car on the way to the airport. Something about his label and beats per minute and I remember the ache in my chest. I look at him and I wonder, can I do this? The rest of my life? Yes is the answer my heart screams. Do I want him? Of course you want him. Do I need him that much? You can’t live without him. Now that’s slightly dramatic. Yet so very true.

I snatch a menu from between two napkin holders and open it, trying to occupy my brain with hamburgers and milkshakes but to no avail. My heart has already started to constrict at the mere thought of being without him again. I don’t want to go back to that. The loneliness. The lack of purpose which I find utterly embarrassing because who would have thought that I’d ever need a man? I’ve always been so headstrong, so in control, so independent. I never needed anyone much less a man. And someone so like my father no less. I shake my head. And who would have thought it’d be Justin. After everything that had happened, all the obstacles in our path, his age, my stubbornness and the time, god the amount of time we’d spent apart. Who would have ever thought it would be him. Like anyone else ever had a chance…

“You sure you’re okay?”

I jump at the sound of his voice and I feel his large hand smooth down my back in a comforting way. I look up to find him leaning towards me in conference, his eyes scanning my face and I shake my head smiling.

“Yeah…sorry,” I say, looking back at my menu again.

“You had that look on your face like…” he starts and then stops, shaking his head and then looking back at his menu.

“Like what?” I ask and he barely glances at me shifting on his stool, shaking his head.

“Hey,” he exclaims before I have a chance to press further and he leans in to me again. “Was it here?” He wiggles his eyebrows and I roll my eyes, smacking his arm with the back of my hand.

“Will you give it a rest?” I whine and he chuckles shaking his head slowly.

“Nope, not gonna.”

“You are so-”

“Well, well, well if it isn’t Mona Lisa!”

I look down the counter and see an older man ambling over with two glasses of ice water in his hands and I can’t help the grin that breaks out over my face. He’s older than I remember but I guess I’m older too now. God how time moves so fast! His salt and pepper hair is now almost completely white, his face lined and creased from time but his gray eyes crinkle at the corners just like they always used to.

“Mr. Cosway!” I say grinning happily as he sets the glasses in front of Justin and me.

“Mona lisa, mona lisa, men have named you / You’re so like the lady with the mystic smile,” he sings, placing a hand to his chest and closing his eyes, giving a little vibrato to his warbled tenor and I blush like I have ever since he gave me the nickname when I was fifteen. He grins leaning on the counter. “How ya doin’ kid?”

“Doing pretty good,” I say, smiling at him and it feels so good to be home.

“This the boy my wife keeps telling me about? The one you’re in the papers with?” Mr. Cosway asks, eyeing Justin who smiles back tightly, his ears tingeing pink.

“Oh this is my…” I trail and Justin raises an eyebrow at me. Mr. Cosway grins amused. “Justin. Justin this is Mr. Cosway.”

“Our relationship defies definition,” Justin says by way of greeting, grinning charmingly as he shakes Mr. Cosway’s hand. The old man laughs heartily.

“The good one’s usually do son,” Mr. Cosway confides and Justin grins nodding. “How’s life in the big city?”

“Good, good,” I say nodding and Justin grins.

“You’re momma was in here the other day braggin up a storm.”

“Oh god,” I groan, covering my face with my hands and I hear Justin chuckle.

“’My daughter’s the head of the Greek Arts Department at the Metropolitan Museum in New York City’ she says. And we wouldn’t expect any less from our little Mona Lisa,” he says grinning.

“Why do you call her Mona Lisa,” Justin asks his eyes flitting from me to the old man curiously and I shake my head at him.

Mr. Cosway grins, pointing a finger at me. “This girl knew more about art at fifteen than I ever have,” he says and Justin chuckles. “She was something.”

“Yes, I believe the term is insufferable know-it-all,” Justin sniggers and I scowl at him playfully.

“And what do you do young man?” Mr. Cosway asks, eyeing him dubiously and Justin grins.

“Musician,” he says easily and Mr. Cosway’s bushy eyebrows raise.

“Musician ay?” he asks and I briefly wonder whether he’s playing or he really doesn’t know who Justin is. “You any good?”

Justin chuckles. “I’m alright.”

The understatement of the century.

“Well whatever you do, don’t let this one go,” Mr. Cosway says tilting his head at me and I can’t help but smile. “She’s a catch at twice the price.”

“Oh I know it,” Justin says, looking at me fondly, his eyes softening as he smiles at me. “It took me a while but I finally caught her.”

I blush and I feel his hand reach behind me to run up and down my back a few times before resting his elbows back on the counter. Mr. Cosway regards us amusedly for a moment before heaving a sigh.

“So what’ll it be Mona darling? The usual?” he asks and I eye him skeptically.

“There’s no way you still remem-”

“Cheeseburger, no onions, French fries and a strawberry shake,” he says confidently and my jaw drops.

“How-”

“An elephant never forgets,” Mr. Cosway says, tapping his temple and Justin chuckles. “And for you young man?” he asks, sizing Justin up.

“Uh I’ll have a cheeseburger with everything, cheese fries, onion rings and a chocolate shake,” Justin says closing his menu and reaching across me again to slide his menu back between the napkin holders. “Oh…large,” he adds settling back on his stool and Mr. Cosway smiles.

“Sure you don’t want the right side of the menu too?” I say grinning sarcastically and he narrows his eyes at me.

“I had a light breakfast,” he replies airily and I giggle, nudging him with my elbow.

“I’ll get that in for you,” Mr. Cosway says tapping the counter twice with his fingers before turning and heading down to the kitchen window to tack up our order.

Justin chuckles and I cut my eyes at him. “What are you laughing at?”

“Just the fact that you were such a massive dork at such a young age,” Justin smirks and I scoff.

“Oh really Mr. Mousekateer,” I shoot back and his smile falls from his face.

“Hey that’s different!” he says defensively and I try my best to bite back my laugh. “Music is cool.”

“And art isn’t?” I ask, letting a little edge into my voice and his face blanches slightly in panic.

“Um…I didn’t mean it like…” he trails as a smirk creeps over my lips and then he scowls. “You know what I don’t have to be subjected to this,” he says airily, standing from his barstool. “I’m going to wash my hands.”

I giggle as he turns his nose in the air and stomps off towards the bathrooms. He slows about half way across the room and grins at me over his shoulder before turning away again, bringing a hand up to scratch nonchalantly at his temple as he passes the table of teenagers before disappearing around the corner.

I sigh, turning back to the counter and I swirl my straw in my glass. He’s everything to me. I contemplate this feeling, examine it in my heart and I’m slightly disgusted with myself. He’s everything to me? I have two Ph.Ds and a Masters degree, I’ve traveled the world, and I’m a woman doing a man’s job. I’m accomplished and intelligent and up until nine months ago I was convinced I had everything. Then he blew back into my life and now…now he’s everything. I’ve never loved anyone like I love him. I’ve been in love before – I cringe at the memory – but not like it is with Justin.

Before Justin…before there was someone but that didn’t really matter. I marvel at the feeling because it had hurt so badly at the time, his betrayal, the heartbreak. It had hurt like hell and now…now it’s almost nothing. Justin and I have never even really talked about it. Just once during that first summer, when we were at the Getty, our first official “date.” He’d asked me if I’d ever had my heart broken. The guy had cheated on me and gotten my best friend pregnant. Yes my heart had been broken but nothing like it was when I left Justin. My heart hadn’t broken then. It cracked in twelve thousand places and just shattered.

“Skylar?”

I turn at the sound of my name hesitantly uttered from the doorway of the restaurant and my eyes widen in shock when I see him. It’s been years, so many years but he still has the same hazel eyes, the same dusty blond hair. He smiles at me and my stomach doesn’t flip like it used to, but it doesn’t turn either, not like it did when I saw him around with my former best friend, her stomach swollen and wide.

“Jeremy,” I say, a laugh pulling itself from my throat at the feeling of his name on my lips again after all these years. “Hi.”

“Hey!” He says smiling hesitantly as he steps forward and a young girl about the age of twelve follows him, looking from me to him curiously. She has his eyes, the shape of his face.

He reaches for me and I hesitate for a moment before sliding off my barstool and letting him envelop me in a hug. After all these years he still smells the same, like musk and soap, so different than Justin’s natural clean scent.

“How…how are you?” he asks releasing me slowly and holding me at arms length

“I’m good,” I say a smile pulling at my lips and our eyes scan each others faces, noting the changes, remembering. “How’s Molly?” I ask and his face goes slightly red like it always did when he was embarrassed. God it’d been nearly twelve years. If he thought I couldn’t handle asking about his wife after all this time…

“We…erm…split up,” he says shifting.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” I say and while I can’t help but feel a little thrill of triumph I do mean it. No one deserves to go through that. Especially with kids. “Who’s this?” I ask, my eyes turning to the young girl and she’s still looking from her father to me curiously.

“This is my daughter, Vanessa,” he says smiling proudly as he curls an arm around her shoulder and she smiles at me shyly. “Vanessa this is Skylar. She’s an old friend of mine.”

“Hi,” Vanessa says quietly and then looks at the ground and I smile.

“Nice to meet you.”

“How long you in town for?” Jeremy asks and I look back at him, seeing an uncertainty in his eyes.

“Just till Monday,” I say and he nods shortly, shifting his feet and he’s looking at me like he did when we were eighteen and he wanted to ask me to the prom. Surely he’s not going to-

“Do you think maybe you’d wanna-”

But he’s cut off as Vanessa lets out a shrill scream that causes all conversation in the diner to cease. Jeremy’s hands fall from my arms and I feel him then, behind me and when I turn I see his shoulders hunched cringing just slightly but he smiles down at Vanessa warmly, her eyes wide as saucers.

“Oh. My. GOD!” Vanessa trembles and Jeremy is bent towards her slightly alarmed, his hands on her small shoulders.

“Are you okay?” he asks, his voice slightly panicked and Vanessa’s hands peel from over her mouth.

“J-J-Justin Timberlake,” she stutters and I chuckle a little.

“Hi,” he says, giving her a short wave and she squeals slightly again. Jeremy’s eyes fall on him and he looks bewildered and confused.

“Oh my god! YOU!” Vanessa exclaims pointing at me. “You’re Sky! They said you were from around here!” She looks up at her father a frown pulling at her lips. “Why didn’t you tell me you dated Justin Timberlake’s girlfriend?”

I cringe and I feel Justin stiffen next to me, standing a little straighter. Jeremy does the same and I fight the urge to roll my eyes. Jeremy looks at me uncertainly asking if its true and I just give him a small smile. Justin’s arm slips possessively around my waist, tugging me against his side as he reaches out with his other hand.

“I’m Justin,” he says smiling brilliantly.

“Jeremy,” he responds, grasping Justin’s hand tightly giving it a short shake. Justin’s eyes turn to Vanessa.

“And what’s your name?” he asks smiling and I almost want to tell him to stop because the poor girl looks like she’s about to pass out on the linoleum.

“V-v-v-” she swallows hard and takes a deep breath. “Vanessa.”

“Hey Vanessa I’m Justin,” he says sweetly as he reaches out his hand to her and she stares at it for a moment awestruck before reaching out tentatively to grasp it.

She jolts when his skin touches hers as if he’d shocked her and when he goes to pull back she doesn’t let go right away so he has to spread his fingers wide, his large hand expanding until her small fingers can’t grip him anymore and he’s released, taking a step back towards me. It all happens so fast and so smoothly that it’s almost unnoticeable and I realize that he’s probably had to do that a million times. He’s tried to explain his frustration over the craziness before and I never really understood because I don’t know what it’s like. My hand moves to his back, pressing against his spine, letting him know I’m here, that I see and his fingers on my hip squeeze just slightly.

“Would you like me to sign something for you?” he asks and Vanessa clutches her hands to her chest, her hazel eyes wide and she can only nod.

Justin smiles, tugging a napkin from one of the holders on the counter and he dips his hand into the front pocket of his jeans, pulling out a sharpie. My fingertips press against his back teasing him for being ever prepared and he cuts his eyes at me before bending over and pressing the napkin to his leg as he scribbles “to Vanessa, the coolest girl in W.V.” and signs his name with a flourish.

“Here ya go,” he says handing it to her and capping the sharpie before slipping it back in his pocket.

Vanessa takes it with trembling hands and looks up at Justin wide eyed. She makes a squeaking noise that sounds slightly like “thank you” and Jeremy clears his throat. Justin’s smile hardens as his eyes fall on him.

“It was good to see you Skylar,” Jeremy says, his eyes flitting from me to Justin before nodding his head solemnly and ushering his daughter over to one of the booths. He nods politely at Justin who gives a short nod back. I fight the urge to shake my head. Boys…

Justin watches his retreating form for a moment before guiding me back to my barstool and plopping down next to me. Mr. Cosway ambles over with two plates, Justin’s piled considerably higher than mine and sets them in front of us. His eyes flick over to Jeremy and Vanessa.

“She okay?”

“Yeah,” I say, waving a hand dismissively as Justin ducks his head, taking a large bite of his sandwich. “Just excitable.”

“Jeremy works at the bank in town now,” Mr. Cosway says, cocking his head towards the diner window and I can barely make out the glowing sign of the local bank. “Molly’s a nurse out at Memorial West.”

I nod politely and I can feel Justin looking at me from the corner of his eye. Mr. Cosway smiles softly.

“Forgive an old man’s prodding,” he says as he leans closer in conference. “But you were always bigger than this place Sky. You didn’t need him tying you down.”

I blink at him slowly. Mr. Cosway always knew what was going on in town but he wasn’t a gossip. He knew the whens and the wheres of almost everything that happened in this sleepy little town and he was the one to go to if you needed information. When the Presbyterian Church’s potluck was. Where Mr. Jennings worked so I could go apologize for running over his mailbox when I was learning to drive. I’d never really thought about it but he surely knew the hows and the whys too. He was just too much of a gentleman to divulge them. But that didn’t mean he didn’t know what had happened between Jeremy, Molly and me.

His gray eyes are warm and kind, just like they’ve always been.  I smile at him realizing what a compliment his words are.

“Thank you,” I say nodding and he grins at me before turning and walking back over to the window to the kitchen, chatting easily with the cooks.

“You dated that guy?” Justin asks, peeking over his shoulder discreetly as he chews and I nod mutely taking a bite of my sandwich. “He looks gay.”

I nearly choke on my food. “Justin!” I exclaim when I finally swallow, a laugh pushing from my throat.

“What?” he asks, his eyes twinkling as he regards his sandwich for a moment before taking a bite. “I can’t help it if the guy looks like he sucks co-”

“Justin!” I exclaim again, dropping my burger to my plate and he smirks at me, chewing slowly. “You are the biggest brat I swear.”

“Did you actually sleep with that guy?” Justin asks and I feel my cheeks redden.

“That’s none of your business,” I reply taking a sip of my shake and he eyes me.

“That’s fine,” he replies airily, popping French fries into his mouth and I give him a skeptical look.

“Really?” I ask, my voice cautious and he nods.

“Yeah I wouldn’t wanna say if I fucked him either,” Justin says shrugging and my mouth falls open, causing him to smirk at me cheekily.

“It’s none of your business who I’ve slept with is the reason I’m not telling you,” I shoot back and he narrows his eyes at me.

“You don’t think I have a right to know?” he asks and I smirk at him.

“Sure…yeah okay,” I say shrugging and he eyes me suspiciously. “That means I have a right to know who you’ve slept with.”

His face blanches and then he clears his throat.

“Fine, okay…but one question,” he says and I hesitate for a moment.

“If I can ask you one,” I reply and he hesitates uncertainly before sighing and giving me a nod. “Okay then.”

“He wasn’t your first was he?” Justin asks and I fight the urge to slam my head on the counter.

“No Justin he was not my first,” I reply rolling my eyes.

“Who was?”

“You only asked for one question,” I reply smarmily as I pop a fry into my mouth and he scowls at me. I can’t help but grin. “And now for my question,” I say and let out a sigh, trying to think of something good.

He looks uncomfortable and I wait just a little longer, prolonging his agony and he pokes nervously at his food. I smile.

“Did you really sleep with Janet Jackson?” I ask and he laughs, his face turning bright red and I know it’s true.

“Just…just once,” he says quickly and I can’t help it. I burst out laughing

He gives me a sheepish grin as I try to suppress my giggles with my hand. He chuckles slightly himself, looking back down at his plate and reaching up to flatten his hands over his curls like he always has when he is self conscious. I reach over and press my mouth to the side of his face, his skin flushed under my lips and I smile at him.

“Was she better than me,” I tease lightly and his blush deepens in the most adorable way and I can’t help giggling at him.

“You only asked for one question,” he replies and I chuckle at him shaking my head as I turn back to my food

But he leans towards me and presses his lips to my ear in a way that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, his breath blowing hot against my ear.

“There has never been anyone better than you,” he whispers before pressing his lips to my cheek sweetly and turning back to his plate.

I look at him grinning and there is no way that I could ever love him more than I do right now.
Chapter 7 by SomethingBlue42
“Whatcha doing?”

I look up and find Justin leaning in the doorway to the dining room where I sit at one of the tables, a pile of linen napkins in front of me.

“Trying to fold these,” I say, setting one that I had folded into fan on the table and it immediately falls apart. I frown.

The entire house smells like food, sweet potatoes and turkey and stuffing and pies and I really don’t know how my mother does it. She’s been up since four but she’s tireless, wanting everything to be just right and I love her for it. I had rolled out of bed around nine just in time to catch the Macy’s Parade with my father like we used to do when I was younger. Justin followed soon after, sitting in front of me on the floor with his back against my legs, my fingers combing methodically through his hair in that way he loves.

Afterwards Justin and my father settled in to watch some football game on TV while I went in the kitchen to help my mother with some of the preparations. Although I wasn’t too much of a help as I was too busy trying to hear whether or not my father was giving Justin the Spanish inquisition. After several admonitions about paying attention my mother finally sent me out into the dining room to set the table where I was out of her way and, more importantly, could better hear what was going on in the living room.

“You’re doing it wrong,” Justin says pushing away from the doorframe and snatching one of the napkins from my lap, his long fingers working nimbly as he makes a perfect triangle out of the linen, standing it on the table perfectly.

I scowl looking at my droopy blob of fabric.

“I can do a swan too,” he says sitting down and grabbing another napkin, flattening it on the table before making quick work of the folds producing a perfect replica of a bird in a matter of minutes.

“How-”

“Long hours on a bus with nothing to do,” he replies before I can even say anything. “I can do a lotus flower too but I need a bowl.” He tugs fussily on the little linen wings trying to make them as even as possible.

“How’s it going in there?” I ask, fiddling with one of the napkins nervously and Justin eyes me.

“Coulda told me he was a Detroit fan,” he mutters shaking out the napkin and starting again, going slower this time.

“A what?” I ask, watching his hands, trying to mimic his actions.

“A Lions fan,” Justin says and I look at him blankly. He sighs. “Football Skylar. Really I refuse to believe you don’t know anything about sports.”

“I know things about sports,” I reply defensively, trying to tuck the corner of the napkin around the underside so I can pull the wings out but my fingers keep getting stuck.

“Skylar,” Justin says seriously as he fluffs out the wings of his little swan. “You thought Eli Manning was a baseball player.”

I scoff flustered. “I can’t keep all those people straight Justin.”

“Oh really? Name for me, please, all the gods from Greek mythology.”

I feel my cheeks flush. “That’s different; that’s for work.”

“Uh-huh,” Justin replies, his eyes cutting me skeptically before grinning at me. “Hey can you just not remember who you lost your virginity to?” I narrow my eyes at him as his eyes widen, gasping. “Oh god, were you really drunk?”

“Justin I assure you I was not-”

“Well would you look at that!” my mother exclaims, shuffling in from the kitchen, a smudge of flour on her cheek.

Justin beams, setting the little swan proudly on the table. I concentrate hard on the napkin in my hands, placing it carefully on the table and taking my time with the fold trying to get it perfect. A startled sound pulls from my throat as it’s whipped from under my hands and Justin has it folded in a split second setting it on the table triumphantly.

“Show off,” I mutter and my mother chuckles as she collects the china from the cabinet on the other side of the room.

“Well if we let you do it we’d be eating around Christmas,” Justin replies and I lean back in my chair crossing my arms over my chest. “I’m just better with my hands than you,” he says wiggling his fingers at me as his eyebrows do the same and I have to bite my lip to force down my giggle.

“You’re right I don’t use my hands much,” I say letting my tongue slide along my bottom lip and his eyes widen just slightly before he chuckles, clearing his throat.

“How’s that bird lookin’ Viv?” Justin asks, grabbing another napkin and starting to fold it carefully.

“Looking pretty good,” My mother responds, her arms full of dishes as she shuffles past us back into the kitchen. “Should just be an hour or so more.”

“I’m starvin’” Justin replies enthusiastically and I smile at him shaking my head.

“You should be you only had two pancakes for breakfast,” I say and he nods. “I was slightly concerned since usually you have about five.”

Justin chuckles. “Sky it’s Thanksgiving…you can’t ruin it by pre-gaming at breakfast,” he says as if this were the most obvious thing in the world and I shake my head.

Just then the phone rings and I can hear my mother sigh as she goes to pick it up. My heart stops as she calls for my father.

“Who is it?” he hollers gruffly from the living room.

“Carl,” my mother responds and I flop back in my chair with a sigh.

“Alright I got it in the den,” is his reply and I hear his old recliner creak as he gets up.

“You okay?” Justin asks and I give an imperceptible shake of my head, reaching for another napkin but they’re all made into little swans in front of Justin. I settle for grabbing a few plates and moving to distribute them around the table. “Skylar?” he says gently.

“Oh good I was just about to tell you to start setting the table,” my mother says as she comes in to get a few more serving plates from the china cabinet.

I nod mutely, my brain working furiously. This is typical. I should have expected it but of course I didn’t. I took his word that he would stay for this. That we would have this thanksgiving together and everything would be as it should have been but that seems it won’t be the case.

I shake my head. No, no I don’t know anything yet. And he promised. My father promised me he would be here for this. Carl had called a few times already and nothing has happened. Maybe for once I just need to have faith. To trust that he’ll keep his promise to me. That he’ll do it because it’s so very important to me, because I want him to spend time with Justin, because I’m his little girl and I asked him to.

“I’m sorry, honey I gotta go,” Dad says, walking into the dining room.

My heart stalls, all movement stopping and I can taste disappointment bitter in the back of my throat.

“Oh Jim,” my mother says sighing, but he merely shakes his head. “You had the next three days off.”

“Duty calls, Viv,” he replies as he pecks her on the cheek before reaching a hand to Justin. “Justin, sorry we couldn’t spend more time together.”

“Pleasure to meet you, sir,” Justin says standing, nodding at him and I watch sadly, disappointment settling in my belly.

“Skylar,” he says reaching for me and I go to him, hugging him close, wishing he would just stay but years of experience knows he won’t. “It’s good to have you home.”

And with that he goes upstairs to pack and my mother reaches a hand out, settling it on my shoulder and I want to shrug it off. I want to blame her for not making him stay, for always letting him just go no matter how much it hurt her or me. What is it about being around your parents that turns you into a child? All the things you learned about logic and fairness just go right out the window and your find yourself acting petulant and pouty, periolous to stop yourself. Justin’s eyes meet mine, asking me if I’m okay but I shake my head at him. Not here. Not now.

I hear him coming back down the stairs, suitcase in hand, and I hear the screen door bang as he goes outside. I can’t do it. Thirty-three years old and I still can’t just let him go. I turn to run from the room, my mother’s voice calling after me to stop, don’t do this, but I can’t. I wanted this to be about us as a family. It’s Thanksgiving! We should be together.

“Daddy!” I call, just as he’s about to take his first step off the porch and he turns and sighs.

“Skylar,” he says, warning in his voice, knowing how this goes and I walk to him, as I always do. We’ve done this countless times before. We know all the steps. But I always hope that this time, this time things will turn out different.

“Dad, please don’t go. Please just this once! It’s Thanksgiving! We should be together.”

“Skylar, you know work comes first,” he says sternly and I watch my sneakers scuff the old wooden boards.

“I know,” I sigh, but then I look at him pleadingly. “But I really wanted you to get to know Justin. He’s…he’s a big part of my life. I just want you to see why.”

I want him to know Justin. I want him to like Justin, to be friends with him, because honestly, I see him as becoming part of our family. I see myself marrying him someday and I want my father to like him and approve of him. I want him to see what a good man Justin is. I want him to know that his little girl is in good hands now.

“He seems like a nice young man,” he replies nodding and then shrugging. “You like him that’s what matters.”

“Yes, but-”

“No buts,” he replies and I silence instantly, looking at my shoes again. “I’ll be home in a few days.”

“But what about Thanksgiving?” I ask, a whine lacing my words and he sighs.

“There’ll be others, Sky. How long are you staying for?” he asks, rubbing my arm soothingly and I look down.

“We’re leaving Monday morning,” I grumble, scuffing my shoe harshly against the weathered boards.

“Well hopefully I’ll be back before then and we can read the Sunday paper together.”

He kisses my cheek briefly before trotting down the steps and down the walk to the driveway. I watch mournfully as he puts his bag in the trunk and moves around to slide in the driver’s side of the car. He gives me a small, jovial wave before the car hums to life and he begins to back out of the driveway. I watch his tail lights receded into the distance before he turns the corner and I can see him no more.

I sigh, leaning against the post, my chest tightening painfully. This meant so much to me, this time with him and Mom and Justin. He told me he didn’t have to work and now there he goes, off to take care of clients and his other reps but not me. Never me, and I hate that I’m still torn up over this. That the ten year old girl inside me won’t stop standing on this porch, waiting for her father to come home.

I shake my head, turning to go back into the house and I jump when my eyes crash into Justin’s indigo orbs, standing uncertainly just outside the door. I plaster a smile on my face but it falls when he gives me a hard, unbelieving look.

“This is why you ask me to stay isn’t it?” he asks and it’s like a punch in the gut, tears springing to my eyes immediately but I push them down.

“What?” I ask, my voice jumping an octave in disbelief but he knows me. He knows when I’m putting up a front.

“He never stays when you ask him,” Justin says softly and I let my eyes close, a single tear zigzagging down my cheek which I reach to wipe away quickly. “You told me that once. A long time ago…”

“Don’t do this okay?” I beg, moving to walk past him but he stops me, grabbing my arms and holding me in place.

“I’m sorry,” he says softly and I heave a sigh, finally giving in as tears work their way down my face. He holds my cheeks in his hands, wiping them away. “I’m so sorry, baby.”

He pulls me against him and I cry weakly against his chest, taking comfort in him because he’s here. He’s here with me and he doesn’t leave me unless he has to, really has to. He’s a lot like my father in ways, his job takes him away from me but he’s nothing like him in others. He’s holding me right now, comforting me. He’s here.

“I’ll never leave you,” he whispers softly into my hair and I tremble against him. “I’ll never leave when you need me.”

“Oh god, stop,” I sob, because he can’t say stuff like this to me and not expect me to just weep and sniffle like a child. But he doesn’t care. He never has. He just wants to comfort me.

“If you ask me to stay I will. I’m sorry I didn’t before. If you ask me I’ll stay,” he says softly and my hands fist in the crisp fabric of his button down as my heart swells and I can’t love him any more than I do in this moment.

“I love you,” I whisper, pressing my face against his chest and he rests his cheek against my head, sighing into my hair.

“I love you too darlin’,” he drawls slowly, pressing his lips to my temple and I tilt my head up capturing his lips with mine.
Chapter 8 by SomethingBlue42
“Um…where are we going?”

I chuckle at the perplexed look on his face, unbuckling my seatbelt before stepping out of the car. It’s not as chilly as yesterday, the air cool but without the bitter wind it’s tolerable. He’s stepping cautiously out of the car, looking up and down the dusty road and there’s nothing in sight but trees and fields, the steel gray sky hanging low over our heads.

Breakfast had been a quiet affair this morning, my mother having gone to do some black Friday shopping. It was just Justin and me, staring at each other over our bowls of Captain Crunch. My head was all over the place, between my father leaving and Justin’s promise and my mother’s words I didn’t know what to do. I knew that I never wanted to be without him. I knew that much, but my mother was right. I don’t want to regret this twenty years from now. I don’t want to resent him. I love him too much to do that. I just needed to get out of that house, to go somewhere and do something. I just had to get away and I couldn’t help but smile when I remembered just the place.

“Guess you’ll have to follow me and find out,” I say as I take a step towards a small grove of trees just next to the road.

“Is this the part where you take me out into the woods and kill me?” Justin chuckles stepping tall over brambles and underbrush, following me into the woods that I know so well.

“Are you complaining?” I ask over my shoulder and I hear him scoff.

“No, but you could have told me we’d be trekking through the woods so I didn’t wear my new shoes.”

“Justin, all your shoes are new,” I laugh and he scoffs again but doesn’t reply.

We move deeper into the woods and I’m following by feel now, everything looking the same but my heart knows the way. Long summers with nothing to do but explore tell it where to go. The trees begin to thin and suddenly we’re in a vast, wide meadow, the late morning sun feeble but warm. Justin is looking around dazedly, the cool fall air having pinkened his cheeks to a rosy red and I grasp his hand in mine, his fingers still warm despite the cold.

I tug him farther into the open field, the grass swaying around our knees, brown and brittle from the cold. This place always had a way of making things make sense. I don’t know what it is about it, maybe the quiet, maybe the beauty of a place relatively unhindered by civilization. It clears my head and settles my heart and bringing Justin here, it all makes sense. Everything just makes sense. I stop after a moment when we’re well away from the tree line and he gives me a perplexed look.

I stand there and I look at him. I stare into his eyes and every moment we’ve ever had together spirals in and out of my brain. That first summer especially, the tension and the secrecy and the struggle. And now the love and the happiness and fierce protectiveness of what we have. How could I ever give that up?

“Skylar?” he asks, his face questioning, his eyes a little concerned

I can’t, that’s how.

I shake my head to clear it, looking around and a small smile tugs at my lips.

“Here,” I say and his questioning look deepens. I grin at him shyly. “This is where I lost my virginity.”

His eyes widen and he looks around instantly, as if the place had changed with my words. Maybe it has. Maybe everything has. What I want now and what I’ve always wanted aren’t the same anymore. I don’t need him to be here in the flesh because he’s always in my heart. He’s always with me in some way or another. He has been since I left all those years ago and in someway he always will be. I smile softly, watching him for a moment before heaving a sigh, readying myself to answer questions I know he’s about to ask.

“It was Billy Trimble,” I say and his eyes fall on me, smiling softly. “We came out here because I’d been coming here ever since I could remember and I knew no one would be around.” I shrug. “We’d been dating for awhile. I felt I was ready.”

“How old were you?” he asks gently, his eyes soft and imploring.

“Seventeen,” I say sighing, surveying the field and so many memories wash over me. Not just that moment but a million others. This was my safe haven. When I think of home I don’t think of my bed or my house, I think of laying here in the grass on a warm summer day and watching the clouds float over my head for hours.

“Seventeen?” he questions and I hear the smile in his voice. “Good year.”

I smile at him, turning my back to him and taking a few steps. I feel his hands grip my hips softly, tugging me back against him. His arms wrap around my waist, holding me snuggly against his chest and I feel his warmth in my toes. He sways me slowly, his cheek pressing against mine before turning his head to whisper in my ear.

“I was seventeen,” he says softly, his arms squeezing me and I blush. “It was in a hotel in Columbus, Ohio,” he kisses my cheek softly. “And it was amazing,” he kisses my ear as I smile, “and I loved her,” he buries his face in my neck and heaves a sigh. “I still do.”

I grin widely, my stomach fluttering at his confession and I can’t help but love him, love him more than anything else. I turn my head and his nose nuzzles mine affectionately, his eyes half lidded as he licks his lips. I brush his lips with mine but pull back before he can kiss me, smirking at him.

“I thought you were fifteen,” I tease gently and he grins widely, shaking his head.

“No, that didn’t count,” he says and I laugh at him. “It didn’t! I didn’t even come.”

“It so totally counts,” I tease and he glares at me playfully but he can’t hold it for long.

“I love you Skylar,” he says softly and so sincerely it steals my breath. “I don’t think I’ll ever stop.”

“Don’t ever stop,” I say and he smiles at me, finally pressing his mouth to mine and I’m lost in it, my hand reaching up to cup the back of his head.

My cold fingers meet the warm skin of the back of his neck and he shivers, goose bumps raising under my touch as I delve my hand into the curls at the base of his skull, his tongue dipping in to taste me slowly. I gasp when he releases me, his hands going to my shoulders and turning me slowly, before pulling my hips flush against his, hands smoothing around my waist to hold me at the roundest part of my back, crushing our chests together.

Our kiss deepens as his tongue massages mine slowly and I grip at his hair, the short strands slipping from my fingers, my nails scraping softly against his scalp. He hums against my mouth, pulling back just enough to lick his lips and tilt his head to the other side as he kisses me hard and slow, his mouth devouring mine and all I can do is hold onto him for support.

I gasp as he pulls me down, my knees sinking into the cool damp earth as his cold hands wrap around my neck and it’s my turn to shiver. His fingers drag down my neck, dipping into my blouse, his other hand loosing the top button so he can smooth his palm against my heart and it’s cold but it feels so good, his lips warm on mine, the coldness of his hands puckering my nipples beneath my bra.

His mouth slides across my jaw and I lick my lips, still tasting him there, trying to push myself into his lap, shivering as the damp cold from the ground travels up my legs. He pulls away just slightly, pushing his shoulders back and shimmying out of his jacket. I wrap my arms under his, gripping his shoulders and pressing my face to his neck, savoring the warmth of his torso as he wraps his jacket around my shoulders. He rubs my biceps quickly, trying to warm me and I smile at him weakly, his mouth pressing to mine again.

My arms slip around his neck and his jacket falls from my shoulders as I press my body hard to his, craving all he has. He presses me back, lifting me so that I’m laying on his jacket which is more than I can say for Billy Trimble. He’s everything to me. So much more than those in the past and I marvel at how much I love him. I stroke his face slowly, the light stubble of his beard tickling my fingertips as he brushes the hair away from my forehead. He smiles down at me softly, his nose nuzzling against mine before kissing me slow and deep, one hand supporting himself over me while the other skims up my thigh, his cool fingertips leaving goose bumps in their wake.

My hand smoothes down his chest, fingers tracing the buttons on his shirt as his fingers brush my panties, his eyes searching mine, asking for permission. I respond by reaching for his belt and I barely have a chance to see him grin before his face buries in my neck, a soft growl pulling from his chest as his teeth nip at the side of my neck. His fingers slip under the elastic of my panties and I jump as pleasure shocks through me, his touch freezing against my heated center and I can feel him smile against me.

The damp cold of the earth is spreading along my back but all I can feel is him, his body warm over mine, his lips sliding dryly against my neck, breath panting hot against my skin. I tug his pants undone, desperate for his skin as the rough pad of his finger rubs slow circles over my clit and the coldness is jarring but good, so good and I turn my head to nip at his jaw, wanting to taste his skin. He turns his head, his lips finding mine as my hand slips under the band of his boxers his mouth falling open, yelping as the coldness of my hand surrounds him. My lips smudge along his jaw as I guide him out the slit of his boxers, pumping him slowly and his breathing is ragged, puffing warmly against my cheek, his Adam’s apple bobbing as he swallows hard.

“Skylar,” he whispers softly, his fingers stopping their movements as he goes to push my skirt up higher and its freezing cold but I need him right now. I need him always.

“Please,” I whimper, shivering as his cold fingers brush my hipbones, tugging my panties down my legs. “Please.”

He’s panting as he moves to settle between my legs and my arms circle his waist, holding him close as he presses against me. He pulls back just slightly, his cold nose nuzzling against mine and his eyes are deep and blue and I never want anything more than this moment with him. I don’t care that his job takes him away from me and I don’t care that the only thing that I every really wanted in a man is the opposite of what he is. All I care about is him with me right now.

His hand comes up to cup my face, his eyes closing as he rubs against me and I fight the flutter of my own lids to watch pleasure paint itself across his handsome face. I gasp as he presses inside me, pushing slow, inch by inch and he rests his forehead against mine, his chest rumbling softly, his lips brushing mine. I kiss him slowly and he hums in approval, his hands coming up to cup my face and can’t help but smile against his lips.

My tongue seeks his as his hips press flush against mine, the closeness stealing my breath and he’s all over me, outside and inside and his mouth wrenches from mine in a gasp, forehead pressing to mine. His hands tremble against my cheeks and I turn, nipping at his palm and his head dips to nuzzle at my pulse point, his breath fanning against my collarbone.

I let out a soft moan as he draws back and pushes in, the pleasure of his body moving in and out of mine causing my brain to go fuzzy. He falls into an easy rhythm, his nose dragging up the long column of my neck until his face buries in my hair, his breath panting at my ear. My hands smooth down his back, slipping under his shirt and his rhythm falters just slightly as he hisses at the feel of my ice cold hands against his back. He struggles to shove his arms under my shoulder blades, holding me flush against him and my legs wrap tightly around his waist, growling softly as pleasure shoots up and down my spine.

“Are you cold,” he whispers breathlessly and it takes me a moment to understand his words.

“I don’t care,” I pant, my hands untangling from under his shirt to cup his face, bringing our lips together in a fiery kiss.

He moans into my mouth, one hand sliding lower under me to lift my hips just slightly and the effect is dizzying as his pace increases, soft grunts pulling from his throat with each thrust.

“Oh Jus,” I pant my head falling back, the damp earth soaking my hair but I don’t even care because fire is racing up my legs and all I can feel is him, moving inside me.

“God…” he pants, his lips dragging down my throat, resting his forehead at the base of my throat, his breath panting down my shirt.

My fingers delve into his hair, legs tightening around his waist as my body begins to coil, my release so close to the surface. I tug at his curls wickedly, receiving a hiss from him in return as his pace becomes frantic and I know he’s close too. He lifts his head, one hand moving to cup my jaw, steadying me as my hips raise to meet his, desperate for him, nails clawing across the back of his neck as my stomach begins to tighten.

“Look at me,” he whispers softly and my eyes open to see him, all of him, the depths of his blue eyes endless and I fall into them like I’ve never been able to do with anyone else.

His eye lids flutter and I hold his face in my hands, his hips crashing into mine powerfully and I feel him tremble. He opens his mouth to speak but only succeeds in pulling in a gasp and I see his pupils dilate before his eyes snap shut, a guttural sound pulling from his throat as his hips crush to mine one last time. My back arches as I feel him rush into me, my body sucking at him and his lips crush to mine, tossing me unceremoniously over the edge, crying out against his lips as my nails claw down his neck. He holds steady against me, wincing as my body milks his overly sensitive flesh, slipping a hand under my head and cradling it against his shoulder as I whimper and clutch at him, finally falling limply back against the grass.

His face buries in my hair, wiggling against me and I shiver as I feel him slip out pressing my face to his neck, damp with sweat even though it’s cold as hell. I press my lips to his jaw and he tugs back just a little, his lips brushing mine before I lift my head just slightly, capturing his mouth in a fiery kiss. He licks his lips, brushing the hair back from my face clumsily his fingers numb with cold and I smile up at him, reaching to fluff his hair off his forehead.

“I love you,” he whispers, nuzzling my cheek softly before letting his face rest against the crook of my shoulder, his breath fanning my collarbone and I let my arms tighten around him.

“I love you, too.”
Chapter 9 by SomethingBlue42

It’s cold as hell as I sit on the front porch swing, staring out onto the front yard. The sun is setting, casting everything in an orangey glow and it’s familiar. I’m home. My mother is inside cooking frantically, having just gotten the call that my father will be arriving home within the hour and Justin is upstairs on a business call. And I’m out here on the porch, under a thick blanket, waiting.

Today was one of those days where I can’t quite explain it but everything has changed. Taking Justin to the meadow and being with him there it was like a weight had been lifted from me. A weight that had been on me since I had talked to my mother a few days ago. I don’t need a man with a nine-to-five job anymore. I need Justin. I can’t explain it but for some reason that makes sense and it’s enough. He’s enough.

“Hey.”

I look over and see Justin standing tentatively in the doorway and I smile at him. He grins back, letting the screen door bang behind him as he steps out, shoving his hands in the pockets of his jacket, his breath coming in little white clouds.

“Whatcha doin?” he asks, standing next to the swing and following my gaze out over the lawn.

I tighten my arms around myself under my blanket. “Waiting.”

“Oh,” he says, nodding slowly and he seems nervous, awkward. I glance up at him perplexed. “Um…is this seat taken?” he jokes, smiling but it doesn’t quite reach his eyes.

“No,” I say, scooting over a little and he settles in beside me, folding his hands in his lap and I regard him curiously for a moment before looking out over the lawn again.

“Viv said your dad’ll be home soon,” he says and I nod, smiling slightly to myself.

“What did your publicist want?” I ask and I hear him snort.

“Some promotional thing. I told her no,” he says dismissively and I nod.

We fall into silence then and I’m happy just to have him with me, to feel his body warm next to mine. I could stay like this forever, just he and I watching the sun set over my sleepy little subdivision.

“Are we okay?”

His voice is soft, gentle and my head snaps to him, finding him squinting out at the setting sun and I realize his body is tense next to mine. He won’t look at me.

“Yeah,” I say my hand slipping out from under the blanket to rest on his thigh, warm through the denim of his jeans.

“Are you sure?” he asks, squinting more and his face is contorted into a grimace as he shifts next to me. “Because…” he trails looking down at his lap and my brows knit turning on my hip to face him.

“What Justin?” I ask softly the hand on his thigh squeezing gently as my other reaches up to brush through the hair at his temple.

He tilts his head away and I blink startled by his aversion to my touch. Something’s bothering him. Bothering him enough to pull away from me and I frown as I let my hand rest lightly on his shoulder. He must sense my panic because one of his hands moves to mine on his thigh, picking it up and holding it in his, examining my fingernails.

“You’ve just been…” he pausing sighing as he runs his thumb over my fingernails and I give his hand a squeeze.

“What?” I prod gently and he sighs, releasing my hand and I feel my heart begin to race. I wish he would just tell me.

“I can’t…I can’t really explain it,” he says, looking at me for the first time and I can see he’s not angry at me, but scared and confused. My hand goes to his face and he winces I move to pull back but he reaches up to hold it there. “Your hands are cold.” He holds it in his hand and blows, his warm breath heating my frozen fingers momentarily.

“Justin,” I say and he sighs, letting our hands fall to his lap where he looks at them, his fingers tangling in mine as he takes another deep breath.

“When…when we were together…b-before…” he stutters and I tense next to him but give him a short nod of understanding. “You would…you would get this look on your face…every time you would tell me that…” he pauses his fingers tangling more tightly in mine and it almost hurts but the panic blooming in my chest hurts worse. “that we shouldn’t be together anymore,” he finishes in a rush and his face relaxes a little but his eyes are intense as he turns to me. “It was the look you had at breakfast the other day and then at the diner. It’s the look you had when I came out here.”

“Justin-”

“Is there something wrong?” he asks, his fingers curling more tightly around mine, wringing his hand in mine nervously and I have to pry my fingers from his to press a hand against his chest. “I mean if I did something-”

“No…” I say, shaking my head firmly. “No…it was just… this thing with my dad.” I sigh heavily and my breath comes out a little white cloud. “Him leaving just…just does something to me I don’t know…”

I let my voice trail, pulling back to look back out over the lawn again and my arms cross over my chest, shivering in the cold. Justin’s arm wraps tightly around my shoulders, pulling my body against him and I’m warmed instantly, smiling as he fusses with the blanket, trying to get it to cover more of my body, tucking it under my thighs and I love him. How could I have ever doubted it or let myself think that something like his job could change that. Even if it hurts me sometimes, even if it’s hard it’s just something we’ll have to deal with. Because I love him. And that’s just going to have to be enough.

I let my head fall to his shoulder, my arms wrapping around his torso and he settles next to me, pressing his face into my hair and inhaling deeply, before pressing a kiss to the top of my head and we watch the sun paint everything pink and gold. Nothing is more perfect than this moment.

“I’ll never leave you,” he whispers softly and I feel my body tense just slightly, “and I’ll stay if you ask me.”

“Oh Justin don’t,” I say, moving to sit up but he doesn’t let me, his arm still firmly around my shoulders.

“I promise,” he says, squeezing me. “If you need me I’m there. No matter where I am or what I’m doing, I’m on the next plane.”

“Don’t,” I say, tears pricking at my eyes, knowing this isn’t true. Knowing if he’s working he won’t come. I’m second. I’m content with second, but I won’t be if he promises me first and falls short of it. “Don’t.”

“Why?” he asks, his finger hooking under my chin, trying to get me to look at him. “Why not?”

“Because it’s not true,” I whisper and I wish it was darker so I can’t see his brows knit, can’t see the hurt in his eyes.

“Yes it is,” he says, his thumb stroking my chin softly. “I mean it.”

“What if you’re in the studio? In the middle of an interview? On stage?” I sigh and he presses his lips into a line. “It’s fine, Justin!” I say because it is. It has to be because this is how it is. “It’s how you should be. Just don’t promise me you will when you can’t.”

“But I will,” he says, his face grave and I shake my head but he holds my face steady. “You’re the most important thing in my life, Skylar.”

I laugh, trying to shake my head again but his grip is firm.

“I’m serious,” he says and his other hand comes up to smooth my hair back from my face as he adds quietly. “I’ve…I’ve thought about it.”

I eye him skeptically, not allowing my hopes to rise just yet. Not allowing myself to believe that he would put me first. Although he’s never lied to me. He’s never made a promise he hasn’t kept. But I know him. I know how much he loves the music, how he lets it take him where it leads and how a lot of times that’s far away from me. How he views it as a regrettable side effect but that doesn’t stop him from going. And I don’t begrudge him that. And that’s the difference. That’s what makes it tolerable. I don’t want him to stop. It’s too much a part of who he is, part of the man that I love. I love him too much to force him to let it go.

“Skylar,” he says softly and I shake my head. “No listen to me,” he says and his eyes are deep and earnest as his hands reach for mine under the blanket. “I love you. I’ve always loved you. I was willing to give it up for us then and I’m willing to do it now.”

“No,” I say firmly and he sighs. “Justin…I…I don’t want to change you,” I say my fingers squeezing his and I can tell he’s frustrated. “You don’t have to change for me.”

“But I will,” he says desperately and I sigh forcing out a laugh. He’s so intense sometimes.

“I’m glad you’re willing but I’m not going to do that to you,” I say. “I’m not giving you an ultimatum. I’ll deal with it.”

“But it hurts you,” he says, his voice earnest as his hand comes up to cup my face. “Don’t deny it Skylar it does.”

“It does,” I admit softly and his face crumples in guilt his hand falling from my cheek. I reach up to smudge my thumb along his cheek bone. “But it’s okay.”

“It’s not okay,” he growls forcefully and his eyes are hard in anger. “I want us to have a life together. I want us to…to…”

“Yes?” I ask my heart pounding and his ears redden shifting.

“I don’t know. You know how I get with all this…this…forever bullshit,” he mutters and I giggle reaching to run my fingers through his hair and he chuckles a little himself.

“I’m not asking you for anything Justin,” I say gently and his shoulders slump. “I can tell you want to. But I’m not going to ask you to quit something you love just because it’s hard on me. It’d be harder on me to see you miserable.”

He sighs, leaning back and then eyeing me skeptically. “You’re sure?” he asks, his eyes searching mine and I nod.

“Its different Justin,” I say and I glance around. “It’s different then this.” He nods looking down at his hands. I smirk. “Now if we decided to have kids-”

“Whoa!” he exclaims, like he always does when I say stuff like that. “Slow down there. I’ll jump off that bridge when we come to it.” I smack him with the back of my hand and he chuckles, throwing his arm back around my shoulders and I throw the blanket across his legs covering us both as I press my face into his neck.

“You’d quit your job at the museum if I asked you to right?” he asks and I smirk, feeling him shiver as I press my cold nose against his pulse point.

“No,” I say simply and I can practically feel him frown as he struggles to look down at me.

“What?” he asks his voice jumping an octave and I giggle, snuggling closer to him. “I’m willing to give up music, my passion,” he says pressing a hand to his heart dramatically, “and you can’t give up your nine-to-five.”

“Justin,” I say, resting my chin against his shoulder, my finger tracing down the zipper of his coat. “Can you imagine what I would be like if I didn’t work at the museum?” I watch his face contort as he tries. “Do you know what your life would be like if I couldn’t talk about art all day with colleagues and collectors?” His face blanches.

“I would never ask you to quit your job at the museum,” he says quickly and I grin, pecking his cheek softly.

“Exactly.” I sigh, resting my head against his shoulder again and he can’t help but smile, his arm tightening around me. “We’re okay, Justin.” I add softly and I feel him nod against me, his body finally relaxing completely.

It’s almost completely dark now, the street lamps turning on as a familiar car pulls onto our street. I watch as it creeps down the road, slowing as it turns into our driveway and I press my face to Justin’s neck, inhaling deeply before pulling back. I don’t jump up and run down the steps. I don’t fling myself at my father as he steps out of the car. What I do instead is wait, savoring the warmth of Justin’s body beside me as long as I can before I stand up and reach for his hand, happy that even though I still wait, I’m not alone anymore.

 

The End

 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1215