Paparazzi by angel_from_africa
Summary: Emma Benton is Justin Timberlake's best friend and she's a paparazzi. Follow her as she tries to balance her life between the personal and professional....
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Humor
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 5246 Read: 6695 Published: Dec 12, 2008 Updated: Sep 11, 2009

1. Chapter 1 by angel_from_africa

2. Chapter 2 by angel_from_africa

3. Chapter 3 by angel_from_africa

4. Chapter 4 by angel_from_africa

Chapter 1 by angel_from_africa
CLICK. CLICK. CLICK. These are the sounds I hear everyday at work and it's exciting. Sitting in my musty Beemer, drinking stale Starbucks coffee and waiting. Waiting for my target to emerge from their hiding place so I can get my money shot, as they call it. Yes, I am a paparazzi, but with a twist.

When I meet people, they often ask me what I do for a living and when I tell them, their mouths drop to the floor. Maybe that's because who I'm with when they ask me. I'm with Justin Timberlake.

Then their next question is to him. What the hell? You're friends with a pap? And all he can do is shrug. I know I make him feel uncomfortable when we go to these fancy parties and such, but what can I do? He shouldn't invite me to these things, it gets us into awkward waters.
A lot of his friends have warned him about me, saying I'm only using him. Waiting for the perfect moment to get the shot, the story that will break him in a million pieces. But luckily he refuses to believe it, and I'm glad he does. Because even though I am a pap, one of Justin's worst enemies, I have respect. I don't push my camera in people's faces and I don't drive at high speeds down Rodeo Drive just to get the perfect shot.

I have one spot where I park my car, a spot where I have gotten a million shots. I've seen Brad and Angie taking the kids for walks, I've seen Jessica Alba walk her dog and I've seen Jake Gyllanhal ride his bike. And they all know I'm there.

I was first introduced to the spot by Justin. Yes Justin, who decided than rather having his name tarnished by his pap best friend he would rather help her.

"If you park your car here you'll see everyone," Justin instructed me the first day I came to 'my' spot.

"Everyone?" I asked raising a skeptically eyebrow at him. He laughed and shook his head.

"Yes. I'll tell them you're here so they won't freak out. This way you'll stay out of trouble and get paid," he replied and patted my leg. I was a bit unsure at first, but after he left me a few days later, after Justin had made sure I sat at that spot, celebrities came. A few even decided to bring me coffee and let me take photos.


It was a weird scenario but it worked. It kept me out of trouble and gave Justin his sanity. Today however was a whole different situation. I was called by my 'agent' and asked to come in for a very important meeting.

"Here's your new assignment," he said, slipping an envelope across the table to me. I picked it up and opened it, then I nearly fell out of my chair.

"How?" I asked, staring at the photo in amazement, He grinned at me and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Last week at Hollywood Boulevard," he answered. "It's the only shot anyone could get of them. I want you to get another, a better one."

"Uh..." I began, I was still trying to form a sentence in my head.

"Two thousand dollars," he replied, "For every photo you get."

"But.." I started again, trying to tell him that there was no way I could do this assignment even though it paid big bucks. There was no way I was going to break my daily routine for this. No way. "I can't."

"What do you mean you can't?" he asked glaring at me. I gulped and looked at the photo once more. I knew someone at the agency hadn't taken it because it was taken with a wider lens than we carried.

"Well I'm working on something else right now..." I lied trying to squirm my way out of it. He eyed me suspiciously. I wondered how to tell him without telling him. That's right my boss had no idea who my best friend was, and I wasn't planning on telling him anytime soon.

"Well cancel it ok? And just do as I ask," he ordered and I nodded. It was hard to say no when he just stared down at me with his beady eyes.

"Ok," I whispered and hastily got up.

"Where are you going?" He demanded of me.

"To..." I started, "To get on it. There's no better time like the present." And then I left, as fast as my legs could carry me.


I was still having an anxiety attack when I opened the door to my condo, trying to figure out what the hell I was going to tell Justin. I couldn't lie, because somehow or the other he'd figure it out. I stared at the picture again and blinked.

Ok, this was strange. Seeing a photo of my best friend and his girlfriend leaving the jewelry store that Justin had told me he was taking her to. I knew the reason they were in that store, and I knew that Justin didn't want the world to know it just yet. I had promised I wouldn't tell a soul, that I wouldn't go blabbing to my co-workers about it yet here I was being asked to get the story.

I could just make it up, I reasoned but then I would loose my job once people found out I was lying. I was torn. I had no idea what the hell I was going to do. I jumped as the ringing of my cell phone brought me back to my senses.

"H-Hello?"

"Why are you so nervous? Are you on a stake out?" It was Trace, Justin's other best friend and my better half. He cackled horrendously in my ear and I winced.

"No," I told him and put the picture back in the envelope, placing it as far away from me as I could. "I was just looking at some new pictures."

"Oh! Of who?" He wanted to know, damn he was always so bloody nosy. I sighed and rubbed my temples. I wanted to say of our dear friend Justin but refrained.

"Brad and Angie," I lied and Trace sighed, disappointed.
'Again?" he asked, "You always take boring shots of them. I thought it was someone exciting."

"Well sorry to disappoint but no," I said and sat down on the nearest chair. "What's up? Or did you just call to annoy me?"

"No. I just called to remind you about tomorrow night," he replied and I sighed. Right, tomorrow night. The night Justin and Jess were planning to announce their engagement. "You're still planning on showing up right? Or is their another celebrity that needs your attention that night?"

"Of course I'm planning on showing up," I snapped and sighed. "He's one of my best friends. I have to be there."

"Good," Trace laughed and I shook my head at him. He was insane. "Because I didn't want to be there alone with all the crazies. You haven't told anyone about it right?"

"What? No!" I answered shocked, wondering if he knew. I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

"Ok, ok keep your panties on," he chuckled. "I was just joking."

"Well it's not funny," I answered and took off my shoes.

"It kinda is," he answered and I knew he was smiling.

"It is not," I smiled back, he always knew how to cheer me up. "Ok it kinda is. But seriously did Justin say anything to you?"

"About how he would kill you if anyone found out?" Trace asked and I nodded. "Yeah, as usual."

"God," I muttered and began to feel anxious again. This was stressful, Justin liked to plan things then threaten me with my life if I told a soul. It was as if he didn't trust me.
Chapter 2 by angel_from_africa
"Thank God you actually showed up," Justin told me giving me a hug as I walked into his house the next night. I smiled and nodded, scared to say anything.

"Congrats," I whispered and slipped quickly past him into the house, scanning the place for Trace. "Is Trace here yet?"

"Yeah he's in the kitchen. Hey man," he told me and I sighed as he went back to greeting all the other people that flocked in after me. I shook my head and clutched the strap of my bag that hid my camera, hoping Justin wouldn't ask someone to search it. I made my way to the kitchen and found Trace poking his nose in the fridge, looking for something. I poked his side.

"Hey shorty," I said, causing him to jump nearly five feet off the ground and bash his head on the roof of the fridge.

"Hey Skinny," he grinned, straightening himself up as soon as he realized who it was. "So I see you made it. What's in the bag?"

"The bag?" I asked, staring at him, wondering if he knew. "Nothing. Why?"

"Well, it's rather large for a dinner party," he noted and eyed the bag suspiciously. I held the black strap tighter. "You sure there isn't anything in there?"

"Yes I'm sure," I snapped, "Just my camera."

"Camera?" Trace asked raising an eyebrow at me, "I thought J said no camer-"

"I know what he said," I answered slapping his arm, "I came straight from work ok? It turns into a long day when you're waiting for someone to turn up somewhere they're supposed to be."

"Oh," Trace answered with glee. "So who were you stalking?"

"Our dear old friend..." I began and tried to rack my brain for a name but came up blank. "JC."

"JC?" Trace asked not believing me. "Really? He was worth you working late?"

"Yes," I lied and shook my head. "He was an hour late."

"So did he tell you he would turn up somewhere? Or did you just make that part up?" Trace laughed with a shake of his head.

"He did," I answered with an even look into his eye. "He called me this morning and asked if I wanted a photo op and said he'd be outside the Ivy at six but wasn't there till seven. That's why we're late."

"Late?" Trace asked and looked over my shoulder into the front room. "You do know he came at six thirty right?"

"He did?" I asked and gulped. I was caught red handed. "Well my watch must have stopped."

"Man you make up the worst lies," Trace laughed and shook his head. "So why don't you tell me the truth?"

"OK," I nodded and put my bag down on the counter slowly and took a deep breath. "I'm on assignment."

"Excuse me?" Trace asked, wondering if he heard right.

"I'm on-"

"I know what you said," Trace said and grabbed my arm so tight it hurt. "Who is the assignment? Is it J?" I kept quiet, deciding it was the best thing. He'd already figured it out already. "No."

"But-"

"No," Trace repeated and held out his hand. "You can give it to me or you can just leave and explain it all to J."

"Fine," I muttered and pulled the camera out, handing it over to Trace slowly. I was just handing the man my life.

"Don't worry," he rolled his eyes, "You'll get it back as soon as this is over ok?"

"Promise?" I asked hopefully and he nodded.

"Yeah. If you call the big guy and tell him you're not doing the assignment then yeah," Trace nodded and I looked at him a gape.

"I..." I began trying to figure out what to say.

"You nothing," Trace answered and glared at me. "Now give me the damn camera. How could you do this to J Em?"


I asked myself that the whole damn night. Thanks to Trace who kept glaring at me me from across the table. I felt like melting in my chair. I grabbed my glass of wine and took a huge gulp.

"Woah," Justin's voice came as a hand swept up and grabbed my glass from under my nose. "Slow down there."

"Sorry," I sighed and tried to get it back from him amongst hackles of laughter. "Just had a long day. I really needed a drink."

"Yeah I heard about that," Trace cut in and I turned to glare at him. He promised he wouldn't tell a soul. "I heard you and JC had quite the adventure outside the Ivy."

"We did?" JC asked, clearly shocked at this new revelation.

"Yeah we did," I said looking at JC pleadingly. He must have got it because he nodded quickly.

"Oh right," he answered and took a big ass sip of his beer. "I tried to forget about that."

"What happened?" Justin asked looking between both me and JC and I panicked. "Did she stalk you again Jayce?"

"Something along those lines," JC smiled and winked at me. I rolled my eyes and grabbed my glass from Justin's hand.

"Something?" Justin laughed and looked at me with a cheeky grin. I looked a Trace who just shrugged. Yeah, he just bloody shrugged.

"It was nothing," I said and took a sip of my drink. "We just had our lines of communication crossed."

"Crossed?" Justin laughed with suggestion and looked at JC. "Ok man you gotta tell me what she's refusing to spill."

"Well that's between the two of us," JC smiled and looked at me over Justin's shoulder. "Something you don't need to know."


"Can I have my camera back now?" I asked Trace once the night was over and we were both outside.

"Did you call your boss?" He asked and I looked away. Of course I didn't call my boss. "I'll take that as a no."

"Oh come on!" I said and looked at him. "I need it you know!"

"Yeah so you can take pics of J," he snapped back and shook his head. "Remember when you started? How you promised J you wouldn't involve him in your work?"

"Well he kinda.." I began but Trace kept ranting and raving.

"Well what happened to that promise?" Trace wanted to know. "Did you throw it out the window once the big bucks were flashed in your face?"

"It was nothing like that!" I snapped and shook my head. "You weren't there okay? I tried to get out of it..."

"Tried?" Trace asked and raised his eyebrow at me, he didn't believe me. "I highly doubt that. If you tried you wouldn't be here with a camera making up lies about how you met up with JC."


When I went into work the next morning it was horrendous. Trying to explain to my boss that I'd been caught red-handed by Justin Timberlake's best friend was a headache. He had all these questions which had me making up even more lies to cover my ass.

He gave me another camera anyways, but it wasn't the same. It wasn't mine. It didn't have the same resolution and was slower. And I still had to follow Justin around without him knowing I was stalking. It was terrible.

"What are you doing here?" I looked up from the magazine rack I was hiding behind and tried to hide my camera.

"Just... buying some groceries," I lied and quickly grabbed a packet of chips from a nearby rack.

"Groceries?" Justin laughed and took the chips out of my hand before reading the packet. "You need a new grocery list. These things will kill ya."

"I know," I said and grabbed them back. "But am on my way to a job so... yeah."

"Job?" Justin raised an eyebrow. "You're not going back to the spot?"

"No," I began and looked around nervously. "Some other guys found out about it and yeah."

"Yeah? That sucks," Justin smiled and looked around him. "Look, how long do you have? You wanna go for coffee or something? I won't keep you long I swear."

"And will Tiny allow that?" I asked glancing over his shoulder at his bodyguard, who for some reason did not like me. Now I could see why.

"I'm his boss not the other way around," Justin smiled and grabbed my arm. "Let's go. Jess!"
Chapter 3 by angel_from_africa
So we went out for coffee and after that I made some excuse to leave. Once I was sitting in my car without the prying eyes of Justin or Trace I pulled out my camera. I gulped and asked God to forgive me as I watched my best friend leave the shop with Jess and raised my camera to my eye. Then I took a picture. And I felt so damn guilty for doing it. But I couldn't stop.

I kept on clicking away, making sure I got good enough pictures. It wasn't until Justin got in his car and drove away that I figured out what I would say to him if Trace decided to open his mouth. As I put away my camera I heard a loud rap on my window. I jumped out of my skin and looked up.

"Trace!" I squeaked and shoved the camera under the seat.

"What are doing here?"

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Trace boomed as I rolled down the window. I felt myself go bright red and tried to calm down.

"Nothing," I lied and leaned back in my seat. "Just heading off to work."

"Really?" Trace asked and raised an eyebrow at me,

"Because it sure looked like you were spying on J. I thought we discussed this."

"We did," I said and rolled my eyes at him to seem more believable, "And if you must know I was not spying. I just had coffee with them."

"Sure you did," Trace replied sarcastically and leaned against the door.

"I did," I answered and glared at him. "And what are you doing here? Spying?"

"No," he answered evenly. "I came to get coffee and saw you sitting here with your camera pointed in that direction." He pointed in the direction where Justin's car had been parked. "Now it might just be me, but I think the only celebrity I know with a silver 2006 escalade is J."

"Well it is only you," I snapped back, "If you've forgotten I make my living watching celebs and J is not the only one with that car."

"Really?" Trace asked, "So it's just a coincidence that ANOTHER celeb with the exact same car was at the same coffee shop as Justin?"

"Yes," I replied slowly and he just laughed at me. A big obnoxious laugh. I shook my head at him and started my car. "Now if you don't mind I have a job to do."

"Em," Trace said with a warning tone that caused me to look at him for a moment. "Don't do this. You'll live to regret-" I didn't wait to hear the end of his sentence. I rolled up my window to block him out and pulled out of the parking spot, leaving him in the dust.


I got home and sat in my dark room for a while, trying to pick up the courage to develop the photos I had taken and trying to ignore the million of countless messages Trace had left on the machine.

I did not want to see the photos, but as I finally picked up the courage to develop them, I liked what I saw. They were different from what I'd done before and for once they didn't look like some hick took them. I soaked the last of the prints in solution before hanging it up and heard the phone ring.

"Great," I muttered to myself and wiped my hands on my jeans before leaving the room to answer it. If it was Trace I was just going to hang up on him. "Hello?"

"Em?" It was Justin and for some reason I felt my feet melt into the floor.

"Hey J," I tried to act as casual as possible and not freak the hell out. "What's up?"

"Why don't you tell me?" he asked, his voice was cold and harsh. I gulped and closed my eyes.

"I asked you first," I answered and opened my eyes again.

"Is everything ok?"

"No," he answered bluntly and I knew the jig was up.

"Really? Why?" I asked, I wanted to drag this out as long as possible, so I could think of a way to kill Trace.

"Well T called me just now and told me..." Justin began but I cut him off. I could not hear this. I was already too guilty as it was.

"Oh crap," I said and made a beeping noise. "I gotta go man. There's cookies in the oven which are burning. I'll call you later ok? Bye." I hung up on him before he could respond and collapsed back onto the couch, taking in deep breaths. This was not good for my health. I made the decision right then and there to tell my boss I couldn't do the assignment.


"You have to do it," my boss said glaring at me from across the table. I cowered in fear and tried not ot panic.

"But I can't!" I protested, "You don't understand-"

"You're right," he snapped and slapped his hand on the table, "I don't understand. Why don't you explain it to me?"

"Conflict of interest," I immediately said taking in a huge breath, hoping he wouldn't ask any more questions.
"Conflict of interest?" he repeated, "What interest do you have in all this?"

"I..." I began and realized I could not tell him anything without looking insane. "I don't feel comfortable with the story."

"That's it?" he laughed and shook his head. "Look, I don't care how you feel ok? Just get it done."

"No," I answered and looked at him evenly. "I can't. I won't."

"Emma," he sighed and sat down again from his standing position. "I don't want to loose you ok? You are one of our best photographers but at this rate..."

"And you don't have to loose me," I interrupted him, "Just let me not do this job. Give it to someone else."

"You see I can't do that," he told me and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Why not?" I asked in shock, "We have millions of interns who would kill for this job."

"Yes but that's just it. They're interns and would probably put us in hot water," he replied, "Now with you you've had such a good reputation with the celebrities that I'm sure this will be a walk in the park for you. Just do what you do to get the shots ok? And you'll be fine."

"But that's just it!" I snapped and jumped out of my seat a bit. "I won't be fine! If I do this assignment than... then..... It just won't work."

"Emma," my boss said once I sat back down and leaned over to me, "Look, I don't know why you say it won't work and frankly I don't care ok? Just do it."

"So I don't have any option?" I asked just to be clear. He shook his head at me and picked up his phone as if to tell me we're done here.

"Is that all?" he asked and I nodded.

"I guess," I muttered and stood up slowly. I wondered how the hell I was going to explain this to Trace and Justin. That would be a train wreck.
Chapter 4 by angel_from_africa
Author's Notes:
Here's the next chapter after months!! Sorry for the delay!!
Chapter 4.

“Why have you been avoiding me?” I groaned inwardly as Justin spoke angrily into my ear and tried to come up with a good excuse.

“I haven’t,” I lied, “Why have you been calling me non-stop for the past few days?”

“Well Trace called me a few days back…” he began and I knew what he was going to say so I cut him off.

“You called me to tell me Trace called? Wow how interesting,” I replied sarcastically.

“It was actually,” Justin answered and continued before I could smartly cut him off. “He called and told me that…”

“Told you what?” I asked; I wanted to prolong this as long as I could.

“Stop interrupting me!” He snapped angrily and I sighed, sitting down on the couch and letting him continue.

“Go ahead,” I muttered knowing this would be my grad old doomsday.

“Thank you,” he said and let out a long sigh. “Someone found out.”

“What?” I asked, clearly surprised because I thought he was about to say ‘you told on me’ not ‘someone found out’. “How?”

“I dunno. Trace just told me that he spotted someone spying on us that day we went out for coffee,” Justin said and I gulped. So Trace had told him, just not the truth. “Do you know anything about this? Anyone said anything to you?”

“No,” I lied again knowing that when he talked about ‘anyone’ he meant my co-workers. “Haven’t heard a word.”

“So you’re still pretending not to know?” he asked and I nodded before realizing he couldn’t see me.

“Of course,” I said, “Everyone at the office has no idea we know each other.” That was true; they were just making me stalk him.

“That’s good to hear,” he let out a sigh of relief, “Cause for a second there I thought it was you.”

“You what?” I squeaked and nearly fell out of my damn chair. “I would NEVER do anything like that!” Ok, now I was sounding hypocritical.

“Calm down,” Justin laughed, “It was just a scared moment. We all have them. Don’t panic. I know you would never do that.”

“Then why did you suggest it?” I snapped; this was not a funny joke. NOT AT ALL.

“I wasn’t suggesting anything,” Justin replied angrily, “I was just saying. Geez, what the hell is going on with lately Em?”

I paused and took in a deep breath, “Nothing.” I was becoming good at this whole lying thing.

“Good because I’m counting on you,” he told me and I sat up.

“For what?” I asked, dreading the answer he was about to give me.

“I need you to find out who knows,” he answered and I sank back into my seat. “Then let me know once you’ve found out ok?”

“Why?” I asked, “What you planning on doing to her, I mean them?”

“Nothing,” Justin laughed and I knew he was lying, just like that time we were in middle school and he told me nothing would happen to me when he left for the MMC and what happened? I decided I wanted to become a pap just so I could follow him everywhere and look where that landed me. “So you’ll tell me yeah?”

“Sure,” I muttered and wondered how the hell I was going to save my ass this time around.


“So how are you going to tell him?” Trace grinned at me from across the table and I slapped his arm. I hated that he was enjoying this; ever since I had asked him for his advice.

“Well I could just make up…” I began but Trace cut me off.

“No you can’t. You are going to tell him the truth,” Trace interrupted. “Or I will.”

“Like you did the last time?” I laughed because last time he didn’t tell on me. But once I realized he wasn’t laughing with me I shut up. He was serious this time.

“No. Because this time I will tell him,” Trace said seriously and glared at me with his angry eyes. “I’m serious Em. Tell him or I will.”

“Fine,” I muttered and looked away; because I knew that I wouldn’t. I heard Trace grunt as he didn’t believe me.

“I don’t believe you,” he stated and got up to leave. I quickly leaned forward and grabbed his arm.

“Okay fine,” I said and looked into his eyes, “I swear I’ll tell him… just not yet.”

“Not yet?” Trace asked irritably, “Why the hell not? You want to get some money out of it before he sticks a restraining order on you?”

“NO!” I replied shocked; I could tell by the tone of his voice that he was becoming bitter and that was not what I wanted. “I just…. I don’t know how I am going to tell him. I need to figure that out.”

“No you don’t,” Trace snapped back and glared at me. “You just need to go over there and tell him straight out. Tell him the truth for once Em. It’s easy.”

“It’s not that easy Trace,” I retorted; now I too was standing up.

“Yeah it is,” he answered and crossed his arms over his chest. I shook my head at him; wanting to snap his head off.

“No it isn’t,” I hissed under my breath and grabbed my bag from under the table. “If it was you I don’t think you’d be saying that.”

“If it was me I wouldn’t have taken the damn job,” Trace bit back.

“You don’t know that ok? Have you ever sat with my boss? No. So you have no idea. You have no clue how hard it is to keep this damn secret from everyone every damn day,” I answered with bitterness. I could tell from my ramblings I was getting angry; I’d had enough of this. I was tired of keeping Justin’s damn secrets. As much as I loved him like a brother this was all too much for me.


Work hadn’t been the same; it wasn’t. I was still feeling guilty about the whole Justin thing and walking out on Trace when my phone rang.

“Em?” It was Justin. “Why the heck is Trace so mad at you?” I groaned and closed my eyes. Trace had obviously gone back to Justin’s in a grump.

“We had a fight,” I admitted; and reopened my eyes only to see Christina Aguillera’s car pulling out of the parking lot I was at. “Shit.”

“A fight?” Justin asked; ignoring my last profanity. “About what?”

“About… about stuff. Nothing to worry about. Look J can I call you back? I’m kinda on a job right now,” I said as I put my car in gear; ready to reeve down the highway after the high profiled celebrity. See that is what I’d become. I crazy pap. Something I’d avoided doing all these years. This is what I’d been driven too.

“Oh yeah ok,” Justin said then after a pause added; “I hope you’re being careful Em. Don’t go flying down the highway in a high speed chase just to get a picture.”

“Yeah don’t worry I won’t,” I lied as I quickly pulled out of the parking spot and made a U-turn; nearly hitting the car behind me. I slammed on the brakes.

“What the hell was that?” Justin asked as my tires made a horrendous screeching sound underneath me. I winced and thought quickly.

“Uh.. nothing. Just nearly ran a light,” I lied. “Look J I really gotta go. Bye.”

“B- “ he began but I snapped my phone shut as a large man walked towards my car. I gulped. This was not good.
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1235