cry for you by MrsTimberlake18
Summary: MMC era. justin and jc are friends with nicole when they're kids. when she starts pulling away, can the boys find out what's wrong with the little girl? what is so bad that her dad's doing to her?
Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 4324 Read: 9110 Published: Dec 24, 2008 Updated: Dec 24, 2008

1. Chapter 1 by MrsTimberlake18

2. Chapter 2 by MrsTimberlake18

3. Chapter 3 by MrsTimberlake18

4. Chapter 4 by MrsTimberlake18

5. Chapter 5 by MrsTimberlake18

Chapter 1 by MrsTimberlake18

13 year-old Justin Timberlake walked around the Mickey Mouse Club set. MMC as it was known to the younger cast. It was the beginning of season 7, his 2nd year on the show. Already within the last year his talent had grown. He loved to entertain & make people laugh. He did all of his favorite things – sing, act & be a goofball! He also made a ton of friends including JC, Matt, Ryan, Christina, Tony, & Dale. Of course, he didn’t get to go to normal school anymore but tutoring wasn’t so bad. Other than being on Disney Channel, he was still a normal kid. Once in a while, his friend Trace was able to come to Orlando but he couldn’t stay long due to going to school in Memphis.

Justin laughed as JC ran by him in the hall, stopping only to smile, nudge his shoulder & keep running after Tony with a can of cheese whiz. They acted younger than him sometimes! It was like his mom said, sometimes it was hard having two teenage boys because they always goofed off. But when it came down to things, Justin & JC were wise beyond their years.

Justin walked back to the spot where the sets were, waiting for JC’s scene to finish & his to start. He watched as the teen got to throw pies at the other kids. The buzzer rang throughout the studio, signaling the end of the scene. JC ran up to the younger boy, acting like he was going to get him.

“Don’t you dare, C! I have a scene to do next,” Justin warned.

“I know, I was just joking,” he laughed. He then saw one of Justin’s other friends walk up. “Hey, Nic,” he smiled.

“Hey, JC.” The teen ran to his dressing room, leaving the kids alone.

“Hi, girl. Are you done for today?” Justin asked referring to her tutoring.

FLASHBACK   9 year-old Justin walked into the park nearby the apartment complex. His mom and he had just moved to Orlando and while she unpacked, he was sent out to play as long as he didn’t go too far. He loved to explore his surroundings and was hoping there was something fun to do. They had moved there for a fresh start after his parents divorced.

So here he was, staring at the playground that was in a corner of the park. Humming as he walked, something caught his eye. He turned and saw the sun glinting off a little girl’s wheelchair. She was sitting by herself watching as the other kids played. One of the 10 year-olds threw a rock and watched as it bounced off the wheel. Then the kids ran away laughing. Justin frowned wondering what this small girl did that they would do that to her. He saw her jump and drop her container of bubbles as the rock hit.

Coming up to her, he offered the fallen bottle and she took it cautiously. “T-thanks,” she whispered quietly.

“I’m Justin, I’m 9. What's your name?” he asked.

Nicole looked up at him. He looked friendly, wearing a green stripped shirt and blue overalls. He had a bit of a southern accent and she wondered where he was from. His floppy curls fell in his eyes as he smiled at her. “I’m Nicole, I’m 8 years-old,” she answered.

“Cool! My mama and I just moved here. Want to be my friend?”

He saw her shift in her seat and look at the kids running around. “Y-you should be friends with them. You can run with them.”

He looked at the kids who were laughing at her, then turned back. “Well, no...I’d rather play with you. You're nice and they aren’t. I don’t play with mean people because I’m not mean.”

The smile she gave him lit up her face and he knew he just made a friend.

“Want to play catch?” he asked shyly, holding up a small ball.

“O-ok, Justin.”

“Cool!”
     END FLASHBACK

---

Since then the kids were inseparable. They became fast friends and over the next two years, Justin worked on his dream of being an entertainer. He loved to sing and jumped at the chance when his mom Lynn told him that The New Mickey Mouse Club was holding auditions. Nicole and Lynn encouraged him and he got the role! Soon they gained another friend, JC.

When Justin first joined the cast, JC was 16 & looking for a place to live near the studio. Lynn insisted he live with them to save his money for the future. Him & Justin were best friends now so it was like she had a 17 year-old & a 13 year old son. Justin, Nicole, and JC hung out constantly when the boys weren’t working & Nicole was happy she had friends she could play with because she was pretty much alone. JC would make sure they kept out of trouble when the parents weren’t home. Nicole was mostly over at Justin’s place because her dad worked so much & Lynn made sure the little girl got a hot meal.
---
Nicole’s dad Alan worked on set and in general construction so he was hardly ever home. And when he was, it was not good at all. It was the one part of her life the little girl didn’t want anyone to know. See, when she was born, her mom died due to complications and Alan always blamed Nicole. Those complications were also why Nicole had Cerebral Palsy. She used a wheelchair and sometimes a walker. Alan would go to a bar after work most times or just drink right at home. When he did, he’d take his anger out on his daughter. She was surprised no one saw him drunk or asked about the bruises. But then again, they knew how Alan felt when his wife died. And Nicole did fall a lot due to her disability. It was such a big secret for a little girl to keep but she had to.
---
“Yup,” Nicole answered to Justin's question of tutoring. “Got a B on the math test.”

“That’s AWESOME, Nicole!” Justin cheered excitedly. He hugged her, careful not to knock her off her walker.

“Eh, I could’ve done better,” she said glumly.

“Oh come on, Mr Grey said you're doing really good. Did you show your dad?”

She looked around quickly, Justin missing the brief look of panic, before she shook her head no.

“Well, I saw him around here somewhere. You're coming over for dinner, right? My mom’s making chicken.”

She laughed at the way his mouth practically watered.

“Yup, I’ll try.”

“Ok, cool. Listen, I have to run for my scene, I’ll see you later.” He hugged her once more before dashing off.
---
Alan stormed around the small apartment furiously. It was obvious he was drunk & it wasn't even 8pm. “Do you know how much I pay for you to get that tutoring?! And all you get is a damn B?!”

“I-I did the best I c-could, daddy,” the little girl sniffled while tears gathered in her eyes.

She hated when he got drunk, he always got nasty & mean. Lately, it seemed he was like that more & Nicole thought it was the long work hours. But now, he always took it out on her & she thought it was her fault. She flinched as he threw the beer bottle against the wall. “Your best?” he scoffed. “If it was your best you would’ve gotten an A+. Now, do you want to explain [i]why[/i] your teacher wants to speak with me? You haven’t been goofing off with that punk Jason again have you?”

“H-his name is Justin & n-no he doesn’t have it the s-same time a-as I-I do.”

At her crying, the rage in her father’s eyes grew. “Oh, I’ll give you something to cry about.” He then raised his hand & backhanded the 12 year-old. He grabbed her arm & hit her again.

When he was done, Nicole cowered in the corner of the room as her father stumbled into his room. She waited until it was silent before she pulled herself to stand on her walker & limped to her bedroom.
End Notes:
this is to keep readers tied over til we finish "masquerade".
Chapter 2 by MrsTimberlake18
NEXT DAY     Nicole sluggishly wheeled around the set. She was up all night hearing her father crash around drunkenly & then she couldn’t go to sleep out of worry. Why did a child of such a young age have to have this burden? She avoided her dad as much as possible that morning; only being around him in the car. Her body was so soar she had to use her wheelchair.

She startled when someone touched her shoulder. She looked up fearfully only to be smiled at by JC & Justin. “Hey, it’s just us,” JC said calmly.

“Hi, boys. W-what's up?”

“You seem scared, what's wrong?” Justin asked, a frown gracing his small face.

“Nothing, why?”

“You seem nervous, kinda jumpy,” JC answered.

“Nope, nothing wrong,” she said quickly.

Justin reached out without a word & hugged her. JC saw her almost grimace in pain as Justin’s arms closed around her. But then he smiled as Nicole seemed to relax. “Sometimes you just need a good hug from a friend,” Justin stated, his southern accent breaking through. They both giggled & started tickling each other.

JC held Nicole’s chair in place with his leg so it wouldn’t roll & got her tickle spot in the middle of her back. Justin tickled her sides as she got his. His hand slipped to her arm, trying to pull away her hand while they laughed. “Ow!” she winced & stopped.

“What, what’d I do?” the boy asked nervously. He never wanted to hurt her. She was his best friend & he loved her.

“It’s not you. I just fell again,” she answered. “You know how clumsy I am.” It was partly true, she never had good balance but she also never flinched away that bad.

“Well, just take it easy for awhile,” JC told her.

“Yeah, & if we get to be too much of knuckleheads, just tell us to back off.” Justin then acted like he was telling a secret, “He’s not as mature as he looks.”

“I heard that, Timberlake!” JC laughed & then proceeded to chase him around the wheelchair.

“Nic, hide me!” Justin said in a mock scared voice. “He’s going to get me!”

“Don’t worry, I’ll get him later when we get home. I wouldn’t hurt you. You're too pretty.” JC hugged her.

“That’s what you think,” she mumbled under her breath.

Before either boy could question Nicole about her statement, they heard a gruff voice coming their way. “Nicole Marie Evans! Come here!” Alan barked, storming over. He yanked her arm, his other hand shoving her chair away from the boys. “I thought I told you to STAY AWAY from them!” he growled harshly.

Justin & JC threw each other confused & concerned looks. “J-JC, that wasn't what I think it was, was it?”

“I’m sure Mr Evans is just having a bad day. We’ll see her tomorrow.”

Justin turned back to look over his shoulder as JC led him to the exit. He furrowed his brow with worry & thought, ‘I hope she’s ok. Something’s off.

Chapter 3 by MrsTimberlake18
Author's Notes:
sorry about grammer, i didnt have time to go through it.
Justin lay in bed fitfully 3 nights later. Nicole never showed up to dinner the rest of the week, her dad calling to say she was sick. Justin had barely seen her on set & when he did she was quiet, didn’t horse around & left quickly.

Throwing off the covers & sighing, the curly haired boy trudged into the kitchen. He was sure to keep quiet as to not wake Lynn or JC. He got a glass of water & wiped his mouth when he was done. On his way back to his room there was a noise by the door. Thinking he was just tired, he got closer & listened. It sounded like someone falling so he looked out the peephole. When he saw it was Nicole, he ripped open the door.

She slumped against the frame, obviously too weak to stand nor having her walker to be able to. She whimpered as she looked at him & said, “Justin, please...”

“Oh, good Lord!” the 13 year-old cried out. “Nicole, what happened? Where’s your dad?”

“Help me-me. I’ll be good.”

Justin took Nicole’s arms & half carried her inside. “Nicole, what are you talking about?” he asked in a whisper.

“I-can't go back. Please don’t make me. I promise I’ll be a good girl,” she cried.

“I have to get my mom,” he said, nearly in tears himself.

“No! Please, not yet. I just need s-somewhere to stay tonight so he does-doesn’t g-get me a-again.”

“Uh...” Justin wracked his brain as to what to do. If he woke his mom, he’d be betraying Nicole. And possibly putting his best friend at more danger with her father. “Ok. You can stay in my room. Let’s get you cleaned up first.”

Justin carefully helped Nicole to his bed before going to the bathroom & grabbing the first-aid kit. Coming back in, he saw her curled in a ball on his bed. He closed his door & turned on the light before sitting next to her. “I-I got some sweats & a shirt for you but we need to clean those cuts.”

When Nicole merely nodded, he reached for the cotton & peroxide, gently dabbing her arms & cheek. The more she hissed in pain the more tears he had to hold back. He listened as she cried & told what her dad did. He couldn’t believe Mr Evans did this. ‘[i]How could someone do this to a little girl?[/i]’

When he was done, he turned around to give her privacy to change. Then he covered her with the blankets & made sure she was comfortable. As he was grabbing his pillow & extra blanket for the floor, he heard Nicole whimper, “no, d-don’t leave. Can you hold-hold me?”

Justin’s heart broke as he heard her weak request. This was no longer his rambunctious best friend that he could tease & play with. No, the little girl in front of him was broken by her parent, the one person who’s always supposed to love & protect you. He climbed up next to her, carefully wrapping her in his arms. If her own father wouldn’t treat her right, he would. He planned on asking JC for help tomorrow but he’d make sure no one ever hurt his angel again.
---
NEXT MORNING     Justin didn’t sleep at all once Nicole was with him. He alternated between calming Nicole’s crying, keeping watch for her dad & making sure Lynn nor JC heard them.

Before the other 2 in his apartment woke up, he helped Nicole out the door. Her dad’s car wasn't outside so they assumed he didn’t notice she was gone before going to work. They got her a clean change of clothes & Justin saw the broken things around the small apartment. Anger rose through his small body but he kept calm. He didn’t want to scare Nicole so Justin fought an internal battle.

They went back to Justin’s & saw Lynn and JC were dressed to leave. “Good morning, Honey. Where were you?” Lynn asked.

Nicole, who was now in her wheelchair, looked to Justin nervously. “Oh, uh, I went to get Nicole. She’s coming with us since her Mr Evans had to leave early.”

“Ok, no problem.”

JC threw the young boy a questioning look. “Hey, just can I ask you something in the other room?”

“Uh, s-sure, C.” He followed the teen to the bedroom. “W-what's up?”

“Why do you two look like you've been through the war? I heard crying last night, what's going on?”

“I can't tell you right now, I will at the studio.”

“Ok, but if you're in trouble we need to tell Lynn.”

“I will tell you later! We have to go.”
---
Later that day, Justin & Nicole were watching JC film the detention skit. When he was done, he approached them & saw Nicole lean closer to Justin. “J, you said we’d talk?”

“Yeah, we better handle this now.” Justin then turned to Nicole. “Hey, Angel Girl, come on. Let’s go talk to JC, huh?”

JC caught how Justin was trying to calm Nicole’s expression. “Come on, we’ll figure this out.”

Once in the boys’ dressing room, Justin began to speak. “Um, Josh, you know how Nicole had a few bruises the other day? Well, last night when I got up, Nicole was at the door. Her dad hurt her, Josh. We can't let her go back.”

“Are you sure it was Mr Evans that did this?”

Justin nodded, already feeling Nicole shaking from the sobs she was holding. “It’s ok, Nic. Tell him what you told me last night.”

After she had finished her painful story, Nicole was crying & tears were slipping down Justin’s cheeks, unable to hold them back. JC even had tears in his own eyes. He loved these kids like siblings & it hurt them seeing his family in so much pain. He’d always tried to protect them from the normal things teens go through but this never crossed his mind.

He cleared his throat, preparing for asking the hardest question of all three of their lives. “Nicole, Sweetie, can you look at me? Your daddy didn’t – he didn’t t-touch you where he’s not s-supposed to, did he?”

Justin gasped & held his breath. He’d never thought of that. All of this was too unreal. They let out sighs of relief when she shook her head no & then lay it back on the 13 year-old’s shoulder. “Just, we need to tell your mom. She can help us.”

“No! Please don’t. I’ll – I’ll be in m-more trouble,” Nicole cried.

“Nic, Nic, listen to me,” Justin soothed. “I promise you, no one will hurt you anymore, ok? JC & I will make sure of it but we need to tell my mom to make your dad stop.”

“Let’s go find Lynn, kids,” JC said softly. Since the little girl wouldn’t let go of Justin’s shirt, he walked next to her as JC pushed the chair.

Justin whispered soothing words as they walked down the hall. As they rounded the corner looking for Lynn, they saw the one person they didn’t want to. Alan Evans.

“There you are, you little brat.” He grabbed Nicole’s arm & she cried out. Justin pulled the wheelchair back so she was behind him & JC.

“Don’t you dare touch her!” Justin screamed. “You're not going to go near her ever again. You’ll have to go through me before you lay another finger on her.”

Alan scoffed, nearly spitting on the boy. “Is that supposed to be a threat? You're a shrimp, I could crush you.”

“No, you won’t,” JC warned, stepping in front of the kids. “Because if you hurt these kids, I’ll break your arm & then have you arrested so fast your head will spin.”

“You want to bet?” the man growled. He then went to punch JC.

JC half smirked, having an excuse to hit the man that hurt his friends so badly. As the fight broke out, Nicole cried out & clutched to Justin’s shirt once again.

The 2 men wrestled to floor, JC getting most of the punches with Alan already half drunk. Tony & Dale ran up, trying to pull him off. “Let me go, guys! Let me go.”

Justin wanted to hit him too, he was almost itching to make the guy pay. But he knew he’d get hurt & in trouble. JC had a better chance.

“Joshua Scott Chasez, stop this instant,” Lynn shouted. After a few more hits, JC stopped but the older boys still had to hold him back. “Now, why on Earth are you hitting Mr Evans?”

Alan smirked evilly, thinking he’d get off the hook. “Mom, Nicole’s dad beat her. He hit her, just look at the cuts on her. She showed up last night & I just had to help her. I’m sorry I-I didn’t tell y-you.”

“It’s ok, we’ll discuss that later.” She took it the visible bruises on the girl & the anger radiating off the boys. Then she saw the rage in Alan’s eyes. “How could you hurt your own daughter? She’s an innocent child.”

“You're going to believe those lies those brats are telling? And that retard got everything she deserved for being a burden. You know how much I had to give up?”

Justin bolted forward, wanting the degrading against Nicole to stop. “Shut up! You know nothing about her. If you did, you would know she’s never a burden!”

JC pulled the struggling boy back, wanting to let him have a shot at the adult but knowing he couldn’t. “Easy, buddy. We’re all upset. Just take care of Nicole & let Lynn handle this.”

He went back to her side, her head falling to his chest as she cried.

A few minutes & a lot of cursing from Alan later, Security, police officers & Child Services were called. Nicole was shaking so bad Justin was afraid she’d hurt herself. Going into the dressing room, they took the kids’ statements & looked over Nicole’s injuries. The cops hauled a yelling & kicking Alan away, confirming child abuse.

Lynn walked into the room, looking tiredly at the kids. This ordeal had gone all day. “JC, can you take them home & then get some of Nicole’s stuff? She’ll be staying with us for awhile.”

“Sure thing,” he answered tossing his ice pack aside. He led the other two to the car & then back home.
Chapter 4 by MrsTimberlake18
JC sighed heavily as he brought in a glass of water and some Tylenol. He handed it to Justin who propped himself up from the bed to give it to Nicole. “This’ll take away the pain of those bruises,” he told them.

“Come on, Nic,” Justin eased as she sat up. She silently took them, then reached for her walker. Confused, the two boys followed her to the front door.

“Where you going, hun?” JC asked.

“I-I want to go home. I can't stay h-here, you'll get in t-trouble.”

“Didn’t you hear mom? She said you're staying here with us,” Justin answered.

“I just c-can't. I won’t be a b-b-burden to anyone any-anymore,” she sniffled. She started to shake again and both boys knew she would collapse. They rushed forward; JC behind her and Justin in front.

“Hey, shhh... You're not a burden,” the young boy told her. Tears choked him from hearing the hateful things she thought were true.

“I k-k-now your dad said you are but it’s not true. You're our best friend, our buddy and you know what?” JC continued.

“You're fun, you're sweet, you're cool, you put up with our crazy antics. But, most of all...we love you. I love you,” Justin said holding her closer.

“No, no you can't. I-I-I’m too much trouble, I’m a bad girl, d-daddy said I needed to be p-p-punished,” she sobbed.

Justin looked up at JC clearly torn. Why’d this happen? What happened to the bright, lively little girl that was there just a few weeks before? A sob ripped through Justin and JC watched as the two struggled with what had been done.
---
The two kids sat there holding each other for who knows how long. Just as Lynn opened the door, she saw her son carrying his half asleep friend back to bed. Though they were roughly the same age, Justin outweighed Nicole and could easily lift her into his arms.

The two older occupants of the house watched as he gently lay her down. Lynn touched JC’s shoulder lightly, leading him away and closing the bedroom door. “They need their rest. It’s going to take a lot out of them in the coming weeks.”

Justin pulled his blue MMC jacket, which Nicole was still wearing, tighter around her. After pulling up the covers, he held her tight as she buried her face in his shoulder. He carefully ran his fingers through her hair as she slept and soon his eyes began to droop. They were both drained mentally and physically and just needed to be close right now.

A few hours later, Lynn had come to check on them. They were sleeping peacefully for once; Nicole still in Justin’s arms. His lips softly pressed against her forehead in an innocent gesture. When she whimpered in her sleep, he pulled her closer, mumbled he loved her and they fell back asleep. Lynn was happy they’d found each other, they seemed to be the other’s half. Even if they were so young.

Chapter 5 by MrsTimberlake18
SIX MONTHS LATER,        Justin grumbled as there was an incessant tapping at his shoulder. He opened one eye, closing it against the harsh sun in the room. When the tapping wouldn't leave he turned his head to look behind him. “Josh, what do you want?” he mumbled.

“It’s 8, time to get up buddy.”

“Ugh, ok. Just let me wake Nic and we’ll be out.”

JC nodded and left. Nicole had moved in with them officially when her father’s custody was taken away. Lynn was now her guardian, insisting that it wouldn't be right to place the child with strangers. The first few nights there, Nicole was allowed to sleep in Justin’s bed as a meaning of feeling safer. There was an extra bed in the room and Lynn told the kids that once her son turned 14 they’d have to stay in their own beds. But for right now, while Nicole still suffered from nightmares, it was ok.

Justin watched as his best friend slept. She was no longer pale and thin all the time. She had turned 13 last month and he thought she was the cutest girl he knew. She had stopped waking up at every sound but would still jump at loud voices or noises. They’d gotten her counseling at the court’s request and had begun healing from the damage done all those years.

“Nicole,” he called. “Sweetie, time to get up.”

“I’m up,” she answered. She sat up, hugged him and he helped her to her chair.

“So, you ready to come see the show today?” he asked as everyone was leaving the apartment.

“Yup, today’s a new day,” she smiled brightly.
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1245