Something Like You by azchickadee
Summary:

“A girl and guy can be just friends but at one point they will fall for each other.  Maybe temporarily.  Maybe at the wrong time.  Maybe too late.  Or maybe...forever.” -anonymous


 

 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake
Awards: Season 5
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Crazy Love
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 141600 Read: 97271 Published: Jan 15, 2009 Updated: May 07, 2009
Story Notes:

1. Prologue by azchickadee

2. Chapter 1 by azchickadee

3. Chapter 2 by azchickadee

4. Chapter 3 by azchickadee

5. Chapter 4 by azchickadee

6. Chapter 5 by azchickadee

7. Chapter 6 by azchickadee

8. Chapter 7 by azchickadee

9. Chapter 8 by azchickadee

10. Chapter 9 by azchickadee

11. Chapter 10 by azchickadee

12. Chapter 11 by azchickadee

13. Chapter 12 by azchickadee

14. Chapter 13 by azchickadee

15. Chapter 14 by azchickadee

16. Chapter 15 by azchickadee

17. Chapter 16 -- part 1 by azchickadee

18. Chapter 16 -- part 2 by azchickadee

19. Chapter 17 by azchickadee

20. Chapter 18 by azchickadee

21. Chapter 19 by azchickadee

22. Chapter 20 by azchickadee

23. Chapter 21 by azchickadee

24. Chapter 22 by azchickadee

25. Chapter 23 by azchickadee

26. Chapter 24 by azchickadee

27. Chapter 25 by azchickadee

28. Epilogue by azchickadee

Prologue by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

Wow!  Ok, well...about a year and a half ago I started writing a story about two girls named Megan and Rachel.  The epilogue to that story actually became the proglouge to "Love Song."  I never, in a million years, would have thought that that simple chapter would turn into a 450 page Word document!! Or that I would one day write a fan fiction story!!  But  I couldn't get Rachel or JC out of my head.  I had fallen so completely in love with them and their story that it consumed my life for the next year (even my dreams at night!).  Towards the end of "Love Song" I began to hear a couple of new voices in my head (I swear I'm not crazy!) and knew there was another story that needed to be told, thus bringing to life, "Something Like You." 

I hope I can live up to all of your expectations and I hope that you'll embrace this story as you did "Love Song"!  It's been a crazy ride so far and I can't wait to see where it takes me.  I'm also going to attempt to do something crazy here...the first part of "Something Like You" overlaps with the second half of "Love Song."  So...basically I'm going to be telling the same story from four different perspectives for a little while.  Yikes!  Maybe I am crazy!  LOL!

Let's see if it works...

January

"It's like you can't be alone but maybe that's what you need right now.  Some time to just be alone--re-evaluate a few things in your life, figure out what it is you really want."  

Twenty-eight year old Justin Timberlake let himself into his Los Angeles, California house, the words of advice he'd just gotten from JC's girlfriend, Rachel, still echoing in his head.  He had asked for her opinion on his crumbling relationship with Jessica and she'd given it. "Figure out what it is you really want."  But what did he really want?  His thoughts were interrupted as his two dogs, Buckley and Brennan, hurried towards him.

"Hey guys." He said, giving each of the boxers a scratch behind the ears as they turned and followed him as he walked into the kitchen.  Grabbing a beer from the fridge Justin opened the French doors that led out to the balcony.  Sitting down on the green cushion of the wrought iron loveseat that was part of the patio set, Justin took a healthy swallow of the alcohol then sighed as he lay his head back and propped his feet up on the ottoman in front of him.  Buckley jumped up onto the chair next to him while Brennan got up on the loveseat beside him and laid her head in his lap.  Staring up at the night sky he put his hand on the dog's head and let his thoughts wander wherever they wanted to. 

Rachel had been right.  Maybe it was time to take a break and just be alone.  For as long as he could remember he'd been constantly surrounded by other people.  If it wasn't his cast-mates on MMC then it had been the guys in N SYNC and when he wasn't with JC, Joey, Lance and Chris he'd been with whoever his girlfriend had been at the time.  On top of all that there was the constant security following him around and the fans that were everywhere.  Justin took another swig of his beer.

His rise to the top had been almost instantaneous and he was the first to admit that he'd been caught up in the fame and everything that had gone along with it.  His personal relationships had always been highly publicized because of that fame and the fame of his partner, putting that much more stress on them, and when they ended it somehow always made headlines--though why people were so intensely interested in his love life was something he still didn't understand. 

He was just a quiet kid from Memphis.  What was so damn special about him?  Yes, God had blessed him by giving him the musical talent he possessed--affording him the opportunity and ability to take care of his family--but underneath all the fame and publicity he was the same quiet kid that had grown up in Tennessee and he wanted what everyone wanted: to be happy.  But more specifically, to find someone who understood and accepted him; someone who took the time and energy to get to know him because they wanted to--free of family obligations or the fact that they'd grown up together. 

He had thought--finally--that he'd found that in Jessica.  Their relationship had started off slow and built gradually over the almost two years they were together and he'd been happy but somewhere along the way they'd stopped moving forward together and had begun going their separate ways. 

"When you're in a relationship you're either going to get stronger and move forward together or you're going to stagnate and begin moving apart." 

Again Rachel's words from earlier this evening came to mind and like earlier, the sick feeling returned to the pit of his stomach when he realized that she'd just described his relationship with Jessica without even knowing it.  He took another swig.  He knew the end was coming and he wondered if on some level Jess knew it too.  Maybe that was why they'd been fighting so much lately.  Perhaps they were just fighting against the truth that neither one of them was ready to face. 

"Maybe it's time to stop fighting and just let it go." He said, thinking aloud.  Brennan lifted her head and looked at him.  Justin turned and looked at the dog.  "What do you think, Bren?" He asked as he sat forward and put the beer bottle down on the ground.  The dog looked at him with her dark brown eyes as he sat back then let out a soft whimper and perked her ears up as her short tail wagged once.  Justin chuckled.  "Ah, who am I kidding?  You're the only girl for me, Bren." He put his hands on the dog's face and leaned forward, touching his nose to hers.  "You're the only girl I need."

Standing, Justin stretched and made his way into the house.  After turning out the lights and setting the alarm he walked upstairs and crawled into bed.

~~~~~~

Bright sunlight coming through the window the next morning hit Justin in the eyes and he groaned.  Putting his arm over his eyes he rolled over--his face meeting a warm, furry body.  He groaned again.  "Mmmm..." Justin put his arm over one of his dogs as he lifted his head to see who it was he was cuddling with.  "Buck..." The boxer lifted his head and looked at him, then with a yawn, laid his head back down.  "What time is it?" He wondered aloud as he looked at his watch.  10:00.  He rubbed his eyes as he sat up.  Both dogs perked up and watched as he shuffled to the bathroom. 

Leaning up against the counter he hung his head and tried to wake up.  Raising his head he looked at his reflection for a moment, grimacing when he saw his haggard appearance.  If the world could see me now.  He thought with a wry grin as he took off his T-shirt and tossed it on the ground.  With a heavy sigh Justin turned on the shower and stepped beneath the spray.  Putting his hand on the tile he leaned over and let the water wash over his body. 

He watched as the water made its way down the drain and wished he could wash away his troubles as easily.  He hated this.  He hated ending a relationship, no matter the reason or who was the one at fault.  It always hurt to look into the other person's eyes and know you were hurting them, even if you both knew it was for the best.  "Damn it!" He swore as he hit the palm of his hand against the wet tile.  "Damn it."  Shutting off the water he grabbed his towel and, after drying off for the most part, wrapped it around his waist. 

Walking into the huge walk-in closet attached to the bathroom he stopped as the sight of Jessica's clothes hanging opposite his made his heart hurt.  He ran his fingers over the fabric of the black dress hanging closest to him.  Pulling the fabric up to his nose he inhaled the scent of her perfume that still clung to it.  You're just torturing yourself! His conscience reprimanded him and he let go of the dress.  Squaring his shoulders he turned his back to the visual reminder of what was soon going to be empty space in his house and in his life. 

I need to get out of here. He thought as he hastily donned a pair of loose fitting jeans and a black long sleeved shirt. "Come on, you lazy bums." He said as he walked back into his bedroom.  He chuckled as both dogs looked at him and yawned.  "You wanna go?"  He asked.  That got their attention and he laughed as both dogs were suddenly full of energy and eager to leave at the word "go."  Brennan barked excitedly as Justin grabbed his favorite red ball cap and searched around for a second, looking for his keys.  "Where did I..." Buckley let out a whine and he chuckled.  "I know, I know." He said.  "Ah! Found ‘em." He jingled his keys and the dogs hurried down the stairs.

Thirty minutes later, after driving out of the city limits of Los Angeles and winding his way through countless residential neighborhoods, Justin parked his white Cadillac EXT at the curb beside a large park and got out.  Buckley and Brennan fell all over themselves in their eagerness to get out of the car.  "Easy, guys." Justin chuckled as he stepped out of their way.  "Sit!" He commanded as he pulled his pants up and closed his door.  Both boxers sat, though he knew they were eager to run.  Pulling the ball cap he was wearing lower over his eyes he took a quick surveillance of the park.  Even though they were in the middle of a seemingly quiet neighborhood, one could never be too careful.  There was always someone around who might recognize him and start a scene.

"Alright." He said, and both dogs stood, looking at him expectantly.  "Go." He waved his arm and they took off.

Justin chuckled to himself as he shoved his hands in his pockets and followed his dogs.  Buckley picked up a stick in his mouth and turned, coming back to him.  Justin smiled as he took it from him and threw it for the dog to fetch.  After playing with Buckley for a few minutes he looked around searching for Brennan, only to find her heading over to pester a girl who was sitting by herself under a nearby tree.  With a groan he turned and went to retrieve his dog.  

"Well hello!"  Justin heard the girl laugh as he neared her.  She pushed her brown hair from her eyes as Brennan stuck her nose into the book she was holding.  "Do you like The Lord of the Rings?" She asked.

"Bren!" Justin called, jogging towards them.  "Brennan, come here!  I'm sorry." He apologized to the girl as he grabbed Brennan's collar and pulled the dog back.  The boxer pulled against his hand and he struggled to keep control of her.  Buckley trotted over to them and dropped the stick at Justin's feet then sat down obediently, his tongue hanging out as his head went back and forth between the two humans.  Finally, positioning Brennan between his legs, Justin looked at the girl.  "Sorry about her." He said.  "She's usually better behaved.  That's why I didn't have her on her leash."

"It's okay." The girl smiled, raising her eyes to look at him and Justin prepared himself for the customary gasp of shock that always came when people recognized him--but it didn't come.  Instead he felt his hold on Brennan loosen slightly as the girl's hazel eyes connected with his own, her warm smile causing him to smile back in return. 

"We were just getting acquainted, weren't we?" She said.  "Did you say her name is Brennan?" She asked, her eyes dropping as her attention returned to the object of their conversation who had managed to escape Justin's hold on her and was once more making a nuisance of herself.  Buckley, not one to be left out of a good thing--stood and walked over beside his sister, begging some attention of his own.

"Yeah." Justin replied, his smile widening as he observed the way she was interacting with his dogs.

"You must be a huge fan of Bones." She said smiling up at him again.

"What?" He asked with a confused chuckle.

"The show on Fox." She said.  She looked up at him.  "One of the main characters is named Brennan."

"Oh." He said.  "No." He shook his head.  "I've never--Brennan!"  Justin scolded when the boxer licked the girl's face, causing her to laugh.  "No." He commanded.

"It's alright." The girl insisted with a laugh as Buckley sat down almost in her lap. 

"Come on." He said, once more grabbing the dog's collar and pulling her away.  "Leave her alone.  Buckley." He called.  The other dog--after picking up his stick--turned and followed him obediently.  "I'm sorry." He apologized again.  "Next time I'll keep her on a leash."

"Don't worry about it." She insisted.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked as he looked down at the dogs but they both just barked happily at him.  Justin shook his head.  After assuring himself they were far enough away from where the girl had been he let go of them then took the stick Buckley still had a hold of and threw it.  The boxers took off after it, in competition to see who could retrieve it first, and Justin allowed himself a quick glance over his shoulder back at the girl--kicking himself for being an idiot and not even getting her name--but she was gone.  The shady spot under the tree she'd been sitting under now vacant and he turned, curious on how she could have disappeared so quickly.  With a shrug he turned back around and focused on the reason he'd come here: to forget about the sure to be painful discussion he needed to have with his girlfriend when she returned next week.

~~~~~~

"You guys broke up?" JC looked at Justin in surprise a few weeks later.  Justin nodded as he focused his attention on the keyboard in front of him.  The two of them had been working the last month on a few new songs and were currently sitting in JC's home studio. 

"Really?" JC continued.  "When?"

"Last week." Justin replied.  "She moved out over the weekend."

"J..." JC looked at him in surprise.  "What about all that talk about you two being so happy?  I thought you were going to propose."

"I was." Justin answered then sighed, his shoulders drooping.  "But then I realized I would have been doing in for the wrong reason.  I was going to ask her to marry me because I thought it would fix the problems between us but..." he shook his head then scrubbed his hands over his face.  "I don't know, C." He said, looking over at the man who had been his hero when he was younger and had become his brother over the years.  "It was actually Rachel that made me realize I needed to end things so we could both move on."

"Rachel?" JC questioned.

Justin nodded.  "I hope you know how lucky you are." He commented and JC smiled.

"You'll find someone else." JC reassured him with a slap on the back.  "I'm not worried." He chuckled.  "After all, you're Justin Timberlake!  The girls have been crazy for you since you were twelve for some reason I still haven't figured out."  He rolled his eyes and smiled.  Justin chuckled.  "Come on." JC said.  "Speaking of Rachel, she's coming over after work and I want to get this finished before she gets here.  She's starting to get curious and I don't know how much longer I can keep her in the dark about all of this."

"Just our luck, you had to go fall in love with a crazy fan." Justin teased.

"Careful." JC grinned.  "That's my crazy fan you're talking about."  Justin laughed as the two of them went back to working on the song.

~~~~~

"Let's call it a night." JC said a few hours later as he stretched his arms out above his head and leaned back in his chair, looking at his watch. 

"Alright." Justin said as he stood and followed JC out of the studio and upstairs.   

"Rach?" JC called out when they heard the front door open.  "Is that you?" She turned and smiled as the guys walked into the foyer.

"Hi." Rachel smiled, putting the bags in her hand down on the floor and going up on her toes to wrap her arms around JC's neck.  Justin looked away out of courtesy until Rachel addressed him.  "Hi, Justin." She smiled and he could see the pity in her eyes.  She knew.

"Hey." He responded with a forced smile.  Rachel surprised him by putting her arms around him, giving him a hug.  He hesitated a second, his eyes going to JC who stood behind her silently asking permission, he nodded and Justin put his arms around her in return.

"I'm sorry." Rachel said, pulling back and looking up at him.  He shrugged and put his hands into his pockets as she stepped back and put her arm around JC's waist--his arm going around her shoulders.  Rachel looked up at JC with a sad smile. 

"It's like you said." Justin said.  Rachel looked back at him.  "You either grow stronger together or drift apart.  We just...drifted apart.  It was a mutual decision.  You two are lucky.  Don't let it get to the point where you're drifting."  He paused and JC pulled Rachel closer to his side--the two of them looking at each other in a way that made Justin envious though he was happy for his friend and the love JC had found with Rachel.

It's about time, too.  Justin thought, thinking of all the heartbreak JC had been through during the years they'd known each other.  The more he thought about what JC had been through and where he was now, the more it gave Justin some hope for himself.  He'd get through this rough patch just like everyone else who had ever gone through a breakup.  "Later." He said as he turned and opened the front door, leaving JC and Rachel as he headed home for another quiet night alone with his dogs.

End Notes:
I know the beginning is short, but you have to start somewhere, right?  lol...as always, reviews are appreciated.  They motivate me to keep writing! ;)
Chapter 1 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone! For those of you who have read Love Song, this is going to sound a little familiar. Bare with me, there are good things to come, we just need to lay the foundation.

One month later...
 
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 13:45:41

Subject: Captain's Log

To: freckles_21@yahoo.com

From: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

Freckles,

How's California been treatin ya?  What's this about you thinking about moving back home?  I thought you said you were going to give living in Cali a year.  You haven't even been there six months and you're giving up?  Come on!  Mom and Dad didn't raise quitters--don't you be the first one!  Besides, I thought you liked living with Grams and you told me your classes were going good.  And you know there's nothing waiting for you back home.  If you really want to follow your dreams you have to keep moving forward, not take huge steps back. 

But enough about you, let's get down to the real reason I'm emailing you: to complain!  Afghanistan is...hot!  Don't they know it's supposed to be winter?  And the sand?!  I keep finding it in places I didn't know existed!  Remind me again why I'm doing this?  No, in all seriousness I know why I'm doing this.  Yesterday we were doing a patrol and we came across some village kids playing a game of soccer.  The guys and I asked if we could play with them.  We put down our gear and just had fun for about an hour.  When we left the kids all had the biggest grins on their faces and it made me realize why I'm over here.  I'm here to help ensure that these kids grow up in a safer world and that they have every opportunity that God intended for us to have. 

Well, Sis...my time is up for today.  Keep out of trouble and give Grams a hug for me!  I love you,

Michael

P.S. Any more star sightings?


Twenty-one year old Aubrey Davis smiled as she finished reading the email her brother, a captain in the United States Army and currently stationed over in Afghanistan, had sent her.  She hated the fact that he was so far away and in a place where anything could happen to him, but she was grateful to be living in the day and age where communication was so easy and literally instantaneous.  She didn't have to wait weeks and months for a letter from him.  He emailed her at least twice a week--sometimes more--and his emails always made her smile and helped her get through the day.

A movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention and she looked up from her computer, prepared to greet the visitor--as per her job description as the receptionist at Adams & Richards Interior Design.  Instead she smiled as Rachel one of the company's designers was preparing to leave. 

"Have a good night." Aubrey offered.

"Thanks." Rachel smiled back as Aubrey turned her attention back to the computer screen in front of her, preparing to reply to Michael's email.  "You too."  Rachel paused with her hand on the door.  "Do you...Do you have plans tonight?" Rachel asked her.

Aubrey looked up in surprise.  "Not really.  Why?" She asked.

"JC is out of town right now." Rachel said walking up to the front desk.  "I was going to go get something to eat but it's not really fun eating by yourself.  Do you...do you want to come with me?  I'd love some company." Rachel smiled.

"Really?"  Aubrey asked, her eyebrows rising slightly.  "I mean.  Yeah, I'd love to." She smiled.

"Great." Rachel said.  "Let's go."

Aubrey felt her spirits dampen slightly as she turned to look at the clock on the wall.  "I can't lock up for another ten minutes." She replied.

"No problem." Rachel said.  "I've got a few things I can still do at my desk. 
Come get me when you're ready to leave."

"Okay." Aubrey smiled excitedly as Rachel walked back to her desk.  As soon as the other girl disappeared Aubrey hurriedly typed out a quick email to her brother in her last couple minutes at work.

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:53:37

Subject: Secretary Diaries

To: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

From: freckles_21@yahoo.com

Dear Desert Rat,

Sadly, no.  There have been no more star sightings.  But I'm convinced it wasn't really him in the first place.  Do you really think Justin Timberlake, of all people, would show upon a Sunday morning at the park by Grams' house?  I don't think so and you're crazy if you do!

Thanks for the pep talk and you're right (as usual, dang it!).  I did promise I would give California a fair chance and I really have been enjoying my classes.  I can't wait for the day when I will be a teacher.  What better way is there to leave a lasting impression than to teach a child?  I can't wait!
I'm sorry this email is so short.  A co-worker just asked me if I wanted to go to dinner with her!  She's really nice.  Hopefully, it will be a nice evening. 
I will give Grams a hug for you on the condition that you take care of yourself and come back home soon.  I miss you! 

Aubrey


Aubrey sent the message then went about her daily routine of locking the front doors, turning off the lights up front and making sure the phones had been forwarded to voicemail for the night.  Once her computer had been shut off she grabbed her purse and headed back towards Rachel's desk.  She smiled when she heard Rachel gasp, then laugh.

"You better be careful." Rachel said to whomever it was she was talking to.  "I don't--"

"Rachel?" Aubrey asked as she stood at the doorway to her cubicle.  Rachel turned in her chair at Aubrey's quietly voiced question and smiled at her as she held up a finger.  Aubrey watched as Rachel stood and grabbed her purse--still talking on her cell phone.  "I gotta go." She said.   "Aubrey and I are going to dinner."  Rachel was quiet for a moment and Aubrey watched as her cheeks reddened, making her wonder who she was talking to and what they were talking about. "You mean talking?" Rachel asked then giggled.  "You are shameless." She replied with a shake of her head.  "I gotta go." She said again as she looked at Aubrey in apology.  Aubrey smiled to show her it was okay-she wasn't in a rush.

After a few more minutes of playful bantering-leaving Aubrey to assume it was JC she was talking to-Rachel ended the call.  "I love you too." She told him.  "I'll talk to you later.  Sorry about that." She said to Aubrey, as she put her phone in her purse and slung the bag over her arm.  "Ready?" Rachel smiled.

"Yeah." Aubrey replied as the two girls walked out towards the lobby. 

"Do you have a craving for anything in particular?" Rachel asked as they exited the building and walked out into the parking lot.

"Nope." Aubrey shook her head.  "I'm really not picky when it comes to food--obviously." She chuckled as she gestured to herself.  While she wasn't overweight, Aubrey knew she was a lot heavier than most of the girls who lived in L.A. and couldn't help feeling just a tad self-conscious about the few extra curves she had.

"Oh, stop." Rachel shook her head.  "You're gorgeous."

"And you're a great liar." Aubrey responded with a smile.

"It's a gift." Rachel replied with a shrug and a teasing smile making Aubrey laugh.  "Do you like sushi?" Rachel asked as they approached her dark grey Jetta.

"I've never had it." Aubrey responded and Rachel pulled up short, looking at her in shock. 

"What?!" Rachel exclaimed.  "How can you have never had sushi?"

Aubrey shrugged her shoulders.  "I don't know.  I've just never really had a reason to try it." 

"Well, you've got a reason now.  Get in." Rachel said. 

"I can just follow you if you want." Aubrey said pointing to her blue Ford Escape parked a few spaces away.  She didn't want to make Rachel have to drive all the way back to the office when they were done so she could get her car. 

"Nah.  Get in." Rachel said.  "Your car'll be fine.  My favorite sushi place isn't that far away."

"Okay." Aubrey said as she got in a buckled her seat belt.

"Okay, seriously." Rachel said, putting the car into reverse.  "You've never had sushi?  You've never lived, till you've had it.  It's like the best thing ever!"

Aubrey chuckled.  "Sorry.  I'm from the country.  Not a whole lot of sushi in the sticks." She replied.

"Where are you from?" Rachel asked, curious.

"All over." Aubrey replied, giving her customary answer as she tucked her hair behind one ear.

"Like where?" Rachel asked, turning out of the parking lot and onto the main street their office was located on.

"Um..." Aubrey thought for a second.  "Well, I was born in Hawaii and then we moved to Washington, then Colorado, North Carolina...um, Germany for three years...and then Virginia.  That's where I tell people I'm from because it's where I went to high school and my parent's still live there." 

"Well look at you travel maniac."  Rachel looked at her in amazement. 

"Army brat." Aubrey admitted with a shrug. 

"Ah." Rachel replied.

"What about you?" Aubrey asked, wanting to get to know more about Rachel. 
"Are you a native?"  Ever since coming to work at A&R Aubrey had wanted to become friends with Rachel but until now the opportunity for them to get to know one another hadn't presented itself.

"Of Arizona." Rachel said with a smile.  "I grew up in the same house in Phoenix that I was born in and my dad and step-mom still live there."

"You're lucky." Aubrey sighed wistfully.  What she wouldn't give to have grown up in one place.  She'd hated the constant moving her family had done as her father had been stationed all over the country and world.  It was hard, always starting over in a new school, never having a steady group of friends, constantly feeling like an outsider.  Aubrey had promised herself she'd do everything she could to make sure her own kids wouldn't have to go through what she did; that they would have the stability in their life that she never had.  "What made you decide to come to California?" She asked Rachel.

"Well, after I graduated I was offered an internship with a company in New York and the one here at A&R."

"I'd have thought you'd have chosen New York." Aubrey said.

"Really? Why?" Rachel asked.

"You're always so chic and fashionable.  You just seem like a New York kind of girl to me." Aubrey said.

"Really?" Rachel asked with a smile.  "Wow.  Thanks."

"You're welcome."  Aubrey offered.  "So, why did you choose California?"

"The weather." Rachel replied honestly.  "I don't do winter well." She confided in an exaggerated whisper.  "Plus, JC was here in California."

Aubrey looked at her in surprise.  "You knew him before moving here?"

"Mmmm...sort of." Rachel said pulling her bottom lip between her teeth then chuckling at Aubrey's confused look.  "It's a long story."

"I've got time." Aubrey said as Rachel pulled her car into a particular parking lot.  Rachel laughed. 

"Alright, come on." She said getting out of the car.  The girls walked into the restaurant and were shown to a corner table.  Aubrey left the ordering up to Rachel and as they waited for their food to arrive Rachel began telling her the complicated story of how she and JC had first met at her best friend's wedding about a year and a half ago and had subsequently made out in a back room at the reception hall where he'd then asked her to come back to his place with him.

"Wait." Aubrey said after taking a sip of her coke and placing the cup back on the table.  "You guys made out at your best friend's wedding then he asked you to go home with him and you said no?!"  Rachel shrugged.  "So what happened?  I mean, obviously you guys stayed in contact, right?  You said he was part of the reason you moved back here."

"No." Rachel shook her head. 

"No, what?" Aubrey asked confused.

"No, we didn't stay in contact.  He didn't know I moved here."

"Then why..."

Rachel sighed.  "Okay, I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  I'm ridiculous."  She stated pointing a finger at herself.  Aubrey laughed.  "No, I mean it." Rachel insisted.  "I moved here on the off-chance that I would somehow, one day run into him again.  But deep down I never thought I'd see him again.  I knew I'd blown my chance.  I mean, hell!  Who says no when a famous musician you've been lusting after for years asks you to go home with him?"  Rachel rolled her eyes and both of the girls laughed.

"You're lucky." Aubrey said and Rachel looked at the girl.  "You got a second chance with the man you love."

"Yeah I did." Rachel smiled.  "But enough about me." She added quickly.  "Tell me more about you."  She straightened as their waitress brought the sushi she'd ordered and grinned.  Picking up her chopsticks and grabbing a piece of the Vegas Roll Rachel continued.  "Tell me about your family."  She placed the sushi in her mouth and chewed, closing her eyes briefly.

"Well," Aubrey answered looking at the sushi hesitantly.  Why did I agree to this? She wondered thinking of the nice, safe chicken enchilada casserole she'd made last night and was currently sitting at home in her Grandmother's refrigerator.  But it was too late now.  She was just going to have to bite the bullet and at least try the sushi.

"The trick is to not think about what you're eating." Rachel confided.  "Just put it in your mouth quickly."  Aubrey looked at her for a moment then bravely placed the piece of sushi in her mouth, chewing carefully. 

"So?" Rachel asked eagerly.

Aubrey swallowed and was quiet for a moment as she finished processing the taste and texture of what she'd just eaten.  "Not bad." She finally admitted.

"Try one of these." Rachel said, pushing the plate containing the New York Roll she'd ordered towards her. 

"I don't know..." Aubrey hesitated. 

"Oh, come on." Rachel chuckled.  "It's not going to kill you.  Live a little." She smiled.

Aubrey picked up one of the pieces and put it in her mouth then bobbed her head back and forth as she chewed.  "Alright, those are pretty good.  Don't know that I'll ever love them like you obviously do...but it's alright."

Rachel smiled.  "Which of your parents is in the military?"

"My Dad." Aubrey said, eating another piece of the California Roll.  "He served in the first Gulf War and now works at the Pentagon." She replied proudly.  Even though being a part of a military family had been hard, she'd always been proud of what her father did for a living. 

"Doing what?" Rachel asked.

"Secret government projects." Aubrey said then chuckled.  "Actually I have no idea what he does there."

"Probably better that way." Rachel said and Aubrey laughed, nodding her head in agreement.  "But that's awesome.  Do you have any siblings?"

"One." Aubrey said, taking a sip of her coke.  "Michael's four years older than I am.  He's actually over in Afghanistan right now."

"Like father like son, huh?" Rachel asked.

"Yeah." Aubrey chuckled.  "It's been like that for generations.  To quote my dad, ‘we're a military family and we always will be.'  What about you?" She asked, turning the conversation back to Rachel.  "Do you have any siblings?"

"No." She replied quickly then paused.  "Well...sort of, I guess."

"Sort of?" Aubrey replied, an amused expression on her face.  "How can you ‘sort of' have siblings."

"They're step-siblings." Rachel said.  "My dad remarried about ten years ago and Sherry's kids are both several years older than I am.  We've never really spent anytime together so...I don't really count them as siblings.  Is that mean?" Rachel asked, with a grimace.

"No." Aubrey chuckled.  "It's not mean.  So did your mom remarry or do you only have step-siblings with your dad?"

"My mom died when I was seventeen." Rachel said.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Aubrey said, sympathy filling her eyes she couldn't imagine what that must have been like. 

"Thanks." Rachel smiled.

"Can I ask you something?" Aubrey asked as her curiosity finally got the better of her.

"Sure." Rachel replied as she ate the last piece of sushi on the plate in front of her.

"It's kind of personal, so you don't have to answer." Aubrey told her, not wanting Rachel to feel pressured.

"I'm pretty much an open book, Aubrey." Rachel said.  "You can ask me anything.  If I don't want to answer I'll tell you."

"Okay, that's fair." Aubrey tucked her hair behind her ears and leaned forward. 

"What's it like...dating a guy who at one point in his life had almost the entire world lusting after him?" She asked, curious about the dynamics in the relationship Rachel had with her boyfriend, JC Chasez.

Rachel laughed.  "It's...well it's not as easy as I thought it would be." She admitted.  "And I thought about it a lot. After all, I was one of the ones lusting after him back in the day." Aubrey chuckled. "How old are you?" Rachel asked.

"Twenty-one." Aubrey answered.

"So you were...twelve when they were huge?"

"Yeah." She nodded.  "I knew who they were but I wasn't obsessed like a lot of the girls at school were." She laughed.  "I didn't ever have any of their albums or anything.  I remember when I was thirteen--we were living in Germany at the time--it seemed like all the girls on base had N SYNC fever.  They were all excited because the group was in the country and anybody who was anybody had tickets to the concert."

"And were you anybody?" Rachel asked, finishing her water.

"No." Aubrey shook her head as she remembered back.  "No, I was a nobody.  I didn't go."

"What?" Rachel asked, sounding shocked.  "Why not?"

Aubrey shrugged.  "It just wasn't a big deal to me.  Plus, money was always tight.  There are a lot of benefits in working for the government, but money isn't always one of them." She said.  Aubrey was quiet for a moment.   

"Did you have a favorite of the guys?" Rachel asked.

"Justin." Aubrey said without hesitation then ducked her head as her cheeks warmed.  "Oh my gosh, I can't believe I just admitted that out loud!" She laughed nervously.

"You think I'm going to judge you for that comment?" Rachel asked with a laugh.  "Remember who you're talking to." She winked at the younger girl.

"I'm not into him now." Aubrey rushed to assure Rachel.  "In fact I don't even listen to his kind of music anyway."

"What kind of music do you listen to?"

"Country, usually." Aubrey answered, her eyes focused on the plate in front of her. 

"Why was Justin your favorite?" Rachel asked.

"He was the cutest." Aubrey replied.  "And the closest to my age."  She shrugged. Even though there's seven years between us...  "I always thought he had a cute smile and...he just seemed like a really nice, normal, down to earth guy even with all his popularity."

"He is." Rachel replied and Aubrey smiled.  The girls talked for a few more minutes.  When it came time to pay Rachel grabbed the check before Aubrey could look at it. 

"Hey!" Aubrey chuckled.  "Wait a minute."

"My treat." Rachel insisted with a smile, sliding her debit card into the holder and handing it to the waitress.  When she returned with Rachel's receipt the girls left.  "This was fun." Rachel said as she drove back into their office parking lot and pulled in next to Aubrey's car.

"Yeah." Aubrey smiled.  "We should do it again."

"Definitely." Rachel nodded.  "With Jace going out of town more often now I'm going to be needing someone to keep me company."

"Well, you know where to find me." Aubrey said, getting out of the car.  "I'll see you tomorrow."

"See ya." Rachel smiled as Aubrey shut the door.  She walked the few steps to her SUV and got in, waving as Rachel pulled away, then following her out of the parking lot.  Aubrey turned on the radio in her car and listened to her favorite country station as she drove the twenty-five minutes that separated the office from where she lived with her grandmother in Buena Park. 
Finally, pulling into the driveway in front of an older, single story white house, Aubrey got out of her car and walked inside.

"Aubrey?" Her grandmother called out as she shut the front door.  "Is that you?"

"Yeah, Grams." She called out as she walked back towards the family room. 

"I was starting to get worried." Her grandmother said, turning to look at her with a smile--her short, curled white hair forming a halo around her head.

"Sorry." Aubrey replied.  "I ended up going out to dinner with one of the girls I work with." 

"That's nice." Her grandma said, turning back to the baseball game she had been watching.  "Did you have fun?"

"Yeah." Aubrey nodded as she leaned down over the back of the couch and gave her grandmother a hug.  "That's from Michael." She told the older woman.

Aubrey stood, watching the television for a moment, chuckling to herself when her grandma began yelling at the umpire for something he'd done.  With a smile and a shake of her head Aubrey turned and walked into the kitchen to get a drink of water.  She hadn't ever been a big fan of baseball.  "I'm going to go work on my homework." Aubrey told her grandma as she walked out of the kitchen and down the hall to the small bedroom that had become hers. 

When her grandfather had died a year ago her parent's had tried to convince her grandmother to sell her house and move to Virginia so they could take care of her.  Her grandmother, never one to be taken care of, flatly refused.  She didn't want to give up her life in California and move clear across the country--away from everything and everyone she knew.  During this same time, Aubrey had decided she wanted to get away from her parents for a little while and break away from the military lifestyle she'd always known.  So, she packed up her things and moved to California to live with her grandmother--giving her parent's some peace of mind and giving her a chance to spread her wings a little.  So far it was a situation that had worked out great.  Aubrey loved her grandmother and the time they were able to spend together but there were still times when she wished she could afford to live on her own; to have her own place and not have to be responsible for checking in with anyone.  She lay back on her bed and stared up at her ceiling. 

With a sigh she sat up, pulled the laptop computer she'd saved up for and finally purchased last month so she wouldn't have to always be using the old desktop computer her grandmother had, and logged into the online class she was currently taking through UCLA.  Lifting her backpack up on the bed beside her Aubrey opened it and pulled out her algebra textbook.  She'd found it difficult to find a school that offered an undergraduate degree in Elementary Education in California, so she was just focusing on getting all her generals out of the way right now.  Opening the textbook in her lap she looked up the teacher's posted assignment and began working. 

~~~~~~

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:29:18

Subject: Captain's Log

To: freckles_21@yahoo.com

From: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

Dear Freckles,

I just got an email from an old friend of ours.  Do you remember Andrew Johnson?  His troop is getting sent home at the end of next month.  His email said he was going to be stationed in San Diego.  You should call him when he gets back into town.  He was asking about you.  I told him you were living in L.A. and that you weren't dating anyone.

Ooops.  Time is up!  Do you want me to give him your number?

Michael


"No!  I do not want you to give him my number." Aubrey spoke out loud to her computer screen at home that night.

"What?" Her grandmother poked her head out of the kitchen.

"Huh?" Aubrey turned and looked at her grandmother.  "Oh, nothing.  Sorry."


She turned back to her computer.  That's going to give Andrew the wrong idea.  "Michael..." She grumbled under her breath then sighed as she closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the couch.


Andrew Johnson.  Of course she remembered him.  Tall, broad shoulders, dark hair, clear blue eyes, adorable smile, deep voice with a slight southern boy drawl...and the list went on and on.  Andrew Johnson was perfection in a uniform.  He and Michael had become friends when Aubrey and her family had moved to Virginia.  Andrew had been in the same class as Michael and they'd graduated West Point together.  Her father had made it more than obvious from the day Andrew had been introduced to the family that he was the only man he would give his consent for her to marry and so, in an effort to make her father happy and to get him off her back, Aubrey agreed to be Andrew's date to the Officer's Ball when she was seventeen. 

She and her mother had gone shopping and after days of searching for the perfect dress Aubrey had picked out a beautiful aqua colored gown with silver embroidery around the neckline and hem.  Her mother had spent hours doing her make-up and curling her hair--the whole time going on and on about how she couldn't believe how "grown up" Aubrey was and how she couldn't believe her little girl was going to her first ball.  Aubrey had tried hard to feel something--anything--for Andrew.  He was a great guy, but there just wasn't anything there.  The only thing she could admit to was the fact that he definitely knew how to wear his uniform.  She had caught several envious glances throughout the evening and knew she should feel lucky for being the one dancing with Andrew Johnson, but...it was like being with her brother--except she at least felt a familial connection to Michael.  With Andrew there was...nothing.

Aubrey sighed again as she sat up on the couch and began typing a response to her brother.

"Is that Michael you're emailing?" Her grandmother asked as she came into the family room.

"Yes." Aubrey looked up at him.

"Tell him I'm waiting for my letter." She said.  "If he has time to be sending you emails he has time to write to his grandmother."

"Okay, Grams." Aubrey smiled.  "I'll tell him."

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:17:23

Subject: Secretary Diaries

To: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

From: freckles_21@yahoo.com

Dear Desert Rat,

I appreciate the thought, but as I told Andrew the last time I saw him: I'm not sure who I am yet and until I figure that out, I can't be in a serious relationship.  With anyone.  However, I know what it's like to be in a new city where you don't know anyone and while San Diego is about an hour's drive away, I'd be open to maybe meeting for lunch...or something...one day...

Aubrey

P.S. Grams said to tell you she's waiting for a letter.

Chapter 2 by azchickadee

March

"Do you have a boyfriend?" Rachel asked Aubrey one Friday night as the girls were watching a movie at Rachel's house.  Aubrey, who was in the kitchen getting a refill on her drink in the kitchen, responded.

"Nope."

"Why not?" Rachel asked.

Aubrey blew out a breath.  "Why not?" She whispered to herself. Why not?  "That is the million dollar question." She said as she put a couple ice cubes in her cup and opened a bottle of the crème soda Rachel had in the fridge.  "If you can figure that out my mother would like to know the answer." She said with a chuckle as she filled her glass then threw the bottle in the trash. 

"I'd have thought guys would be crawling all over you." Rachel said from the front room and Aubrey chuckled to herself. 

"You and me both." She said. 

"What's their problem?" Rachel asked.

"Your guess is as good as mine." Aubrey said, turning to head back into the front room.  However she was unprepared to find someone in her way and stepped back quickly as she literally ran into him.  She gasped as the soda from her glass sloshed out soaking the front of her shirt.  "Dang it!" She exclaimed holding her arms out to the side as she looked down at herself.

~~~~~ 

"Are you alright?"  Justin asked, his arms out--hands wrapped around the forearms of the girl who'd almost run into him.

"Yes." She chuckled, looking down at the soda that had spilled down the front of her shirt. "I'm...fine..." She trailed off as her eyes met his and he looked at her, his lips turning up in a smile as he instantly recognized her.  Those same hazel eyes and freckles, that same genuinely warm smile...it was the girl from the park he'd never introduced himself too.  He watched as her cheeks reddened slightly and knew the instant she recognized who he was.  The sound of the glass in her hand hitting the floor and shattering seemed to snap her from her daze and she stepped back from him abruptly.

"Are you okay in there?" Rachel asked, her voice coming from the other room.  Justin turned to look in that direction, then back at the girl.  How does Rachel know Park Girl? He wondered, the fact that he had run into this girl again at JC's house confusing him.  Of all the places to run into her again and of all the people for Rachel to be friends with it was the girl his dogs had almost mauled a few months ago?  Talk about coincidence.  He mused.

"Yes." Park Girl said answering Rachel as she turned to the counter in search of something to held clean up the mess she'd just made.   Justin, feeling like he should help, began opening and closing a few of the cupboards and drawers closest to him, searching for where the dishtowels were kept.  The napkins the girl had grabbed were soon soaked though and she stood, holding one hand under the dripping mess as Rachel came into the kitchen. 

"Just put it in the sink." Rachel said, trying not to laugh as she nudged Justin out of the way and opened a drawer.  Pulling out a few dishtowels she handed one to him and one to Aubrey then helped clean up the floor giggling to herself.   Justin squatted down and began picking up the pieces of glass from the floor.

"It's not funny." He heard the girl mutter under her breath to Rachel.

"Yes it is!" Rachel said sitting down on the floor and leaning back against the counter as she continued to giggle.  Park Girl stood and rinsed out the towel she'd been using to mop up the floor.

"Dude!  What'd you do?" JC said, coming into the kitchen and accusing Justin teasingly when he saw everyone cleaning the floor.

"Nothing." Justin shook his head as he stood and held out his arms.  "It wasn't me."

"Yeah, right." JC chuckled as he stepped around him.

"Of course it was you." Rachel informed him, accepting JC's outstretched hands as he pulled her to her feet.  "If you weren't Mr. SexyBack, able to send girls into a tizzy with just a smile..." She began giggling again as she leaned against JC.

"No, it was me." Park Girl said standing and wringing out her dishtowel in the sink once more and rolling her eyes.  "I didn't see him standing there and ran into him.  I'm sorry."  She offered in apology to Justin.

"It's okay." He replied with a shrug and smile.  "No harm done."

"Hey, Aubrey." JC said as she bent down and began picking up the brownies on the floor.  "How are you?" He asked with a smile.

Aubrey.  Justin thought, finally discovering his mystery girl's name.

"Oh, just great." She replied dryly.  Justin squatted down again and reached out to pick up the remaining pieces of glass on the floor.  His fingers brushed hers and their eyes connected.  He smiled and helped her stand once the mess had been cleaned up.  Aubrey took a deep breath and, wiping her hands on a dry towel, held her hand out to him.  "Why don't we try that again?" She said with a smile.  "I'm Aubrey."

"Justin." He said with a smile of his own as he took her hand and looked into her eyes, wondering if she recognized him from that morning a few months ago. 

"It's nice to meet you." Aubrey replied, no hint of recognition in her eyes.

"You too." Justin offered.  He stood looking at her for a moment and was about to inquire as to whether or not it had really been her that day in the park when JC spoke up.

"Come on." He said to Justin, snapping him from his thoughts.  Justin released Aubrey's hand and turned, leaving the room as JC let Rachel know they were going to be downstairs working in the studio.  He still couldn't believe the coincidence.  What were the chances he'd run into Aubrey again?  And not only that, but that she'd end up being friends with his friend's girlfriend? 

"You alright, man?" JC asked as they sat down at the soundboard in the studio.

"Yeah." Justin shook his head, clearing his thoughts.  "What track do you want to work on?"

~~~~~

"Come on." Rachel said as JC and Justin left and linked her arm with Aubrey's.  "Let's go find you a dry shirt."  Aubrey follower her upstairs and into what she assumed was the bedroom Rachel shared with JC.  "You seriously don't have a guy in your life?  There's no one you've dated recently?"

Aubrey shook her head.  "The last date I had was with this guy from back home before I left."

Rachel looked at her excitedly as she handed Aubrey a clean shirt.  "What's his name?" She asked curiously.

Aubrey sighed.  "Andrew." She replied.  "Andrew Johnson."

"How long ago was the date?"

"Three years ago." Aubrey replied.  "He's...he's a friend of my brother's.  We've known each other for about six years."

"Do you talk to him at all?" Rachel inquired.

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "He's been over in Iraq for the past year and a half."

"Oh." Rachel replied.  "Well, what about when he gets home?"

Aubrey laughed.  "You're as bad as my brother!" She exclaimed.  "Michael just sent me an email saying Andrew was coming home next month and was going to be stationed down in San Diego."

"Hey." Rachel nudged her, wiggling her eyebrows excitedly.

"Nothing's going to happen." Aubrey insisted.  "Besides, I'm okay with being single for the time being."

"You never know what could happen." Rachel replied as they girls walked out of the bedroom and headed back downstairs to resume their movie.  "Life has a funny way of happening while you're making other plans.  Don't say no to an opportunity that hasn't even happened yet."

"I'll keep that in mind." Aubrey said as she sat down on the couch.  "But nothing's going to happen."

~~~~~~

"It's Aubrey, right?"

Aubrey turned around in surprise as a guy behind here addressed her.  "Yeah..." She said, trailing off when she recognized who it was.  He grinned.

"Hello again." Justin said, his blue eyes friendly.

"Hi." Aubrey smiled, flattered that he remembered who she was.  It had been a couple weeks since they'd had their run-in in Rachel and JC's kitchen.  She felt her cheeks warm slightly in embarrassment as she thought of the last time they'd met.  Justin chuckled as if he could read her mind and Aubrey turned her attention back to the menu board at Red Mango, trying to decide what to try.

"What's your favorite?" Justin asked.

"Um, I've actually never been here before." Aubrey told him--turning to look at him again.

"Oh."

"Have you been here before?" She asked.

"Yeah." He nodded as he turned to look at her.  "I usually get the original with strawberries and chocolate chips and sometimes granola," he grinned.  "When I'm feeling daring."

Aubrey chuckled.  "That sounds good."

Justin nodded and stepped up to the counter.  Before she knew what he was doing he ordered two originals with strawberries and chocolate chips.  Aubrey was surprised as he grabbed a couple napkins from the dispenser on the counter after paying and turned--handing her one.

"Come on." He said taking a few steps down the counter to where they would pick up their order.

"You didn't have to do that." Aubrey said, pulling her wallet from her purse.  "Here." She said holding out some cash to him.

"Don't worry about it." He smiled.

"Thank you." She offered sincerely.

"So tell me." He said as they waited.  "What made you finally decide to jump on the frozen yogurt band wagon?"

Aubrey chuckled as she shrugged her shoulder. "I don't know." She answered.  "I was in the neighborhood doing some shopping and decided to give it a try."  The kid behind the counter handed Justin both of the yogurts he'd ordered and Aubrey smiled as he handed her one.  She expected him to tell her goodbye and leave, so she was surprised when he looked around the shop and, seeing an empty table in the back, began walking towards it.

"Come on." He said to her.  "Let's go sit down."

"Okay." Aubrey replied following him.  A giddy sense nervousness filling her not because  Justin Timberlake wanted to spend time with her but because he was a guy showing some interest in her.  Since moving to California, Aubrey had been struggling with the one thing that had plagued her her entire life--acceptance.  She had a hard time making friends, though she tried hard to be cheerful and friendly.  The truth was she was more comfortable being with herself or her family and had a hard time breaking out of that comfort zone.  It was difficult for her to open up and trust other people; to let them in.  She had learned the hard way--growing up the way she had--that there was never any guarantees in life.  It was hard making friends when you didn't know how long you were staying in any given place. 

Justin smiled at her as she sat down across the small table from him.  She took a bite of her yogurt.  "So?" He asked, clearly anxious for her reaction.

"It's good." She smiled, taking another bite.

"Good." He smiled at her.

Aubrey smiled back at him as he put his arm up on the table and her eyes were drawn to a large red welt on his upper arm.  "What did you do?" She asked out of curiosity before her sense of propriety could stop her. 

"Huh?" Justin asked, looking down.  "Oh." He said.  "Some buddies and I were paint balling this weekend.  This was my fatal wound." He grinned.

"People still do that?" Aubrey asked in surprise.

"What?  Paint balling?" Justin asked.  Aubrey nodded.  "Oh yeah." He exclaimed.  "It's fun.  Have you ever tried it?"

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "My brother and his friends were really big into it about ten years ago, but I thought it kind of went the way of all fads."

"No, are you kidding me?" Justin replied leaning towards her.  "It's a ton of fun."

"Yeah, a game that give you huge welts like that," she pointed to his wound, "Sounds really fun." She replied sarcastically and he laughed.

"Don't knock it till you try it." He replied.  Aubrey smiled as she took another bite.  "Do you just have one brother?" He asked.

"Yep." Aubrey nodded as she looked at him.  "It's just me and Michael."

"Is he older or are you?" Justin inquired, his blue eyes watching her.

"He is." Aubrey answered.  "What about you?" She asked.  "Do you have siblings?"

~~~~~

Justin smiled at Aubrey's innocent question.  It was refreshing to talk to someone--a girl--who didn't already know every bit of public information about him.  Although, the fact that Aubrey didn't seem to be affected at all about the fact that she was sitting across the table from him was kind of weirding him out a bit.

"I've got two younger half-brothers." He told her.  He watched as her lips lifted in a soft smile and he was struck by the realization he'd had the first time he'd met her at the park.  She had a great smile that somehow made it impossible for him not to smile back.  He knew he needed to say something to her about the fact that they'd met before--he just didn't know how to bring it up.

"Do you come here often?" Aubrey asked.

"Only when I'm dropping my dog's off at the groomers." He replied, liking the way this conversation was going--this was just the opening he was looking for.

"What kind of dogs do you have?" She asked, her eyes curious as she took another bite.

"I've got two boxers." He said, watching her closely.  "A brother and a sister." She lowered her spoon and slowly looked up at him.  Her brows furrowed slightly and he began to wonder if this was such a great idea.

"What are their names?" She asked hesitantly.

"You don't remember?" He asked.  "Brennan's going to be heartbroken.  She thinks you two are best friends now.  She's wondering why you haven't called."

Aubrey dropped her spoon suddenly.  "That was really you?!" She exclaimed, her eyes wide.  He nodded and he watched as her cheeks turned red.  "I thought..." she shook her head.  "I didn't...what were you doing out in Buena Park that day?" She asked.

"Looking for some space." He replied. 

"Oh, I feel like such an idiot." She murmured, putting a hand to her forehead.

"Why?" He asked.

"I told myself it wasn't really you, but just someone who looked like you that day in the park." She told him.

"Does it really make that much of a difference?" He asked, wondering if he'd somehow misjudged her.  She'd seemed like they type of person who didn't let the fact that someone was famous cause her to treat them any differently.  She was quiet for a moment then shook her head.

"No." Aubrey said.  "It doesn't matter."  Justin smiled.  "I just wish...why didn't you say something when we met again a couple weeks ago?" She inquired.

"I didn't have the chance to." He replied.  "But, how about we start over now?"

"That's what we seem to do every time we meet." She chuckled.  "Is this going to become a habit?  Us starting over?"

"I hope not." Justin answered.  "But if you don't want to start over, how about we just move forward?"

"I'd like that." Aubrey smiled.

"Good." Justin smiled back as he took a bite of his yogurt.

~~~~~

"So, now what?" Aubrey inquired, not quite sure what the next step was.

"Now we get to know each other better." He replied.  "You know: where we're from, what our families are like, what our favorite color is, the things we like, the things we don't like, our most embarrassing moments...the list goes on and on." He informed her and Aubrey chuckled.  

"Alright, since you're the one with the list why don't you go first?" She replied.

"Okay." He took a bite as he looked at her across the table.  "Are you originally from California?"  Aubrey shook her head and began telling him about all the places she'd lived growing up.  "I've been to all those places." He told her. 

"I'm sure you have." She replied with a smile.

"Where was your favorite place to live?" He asked.

"They all had their pros and cons." She replied diplomatically.

"But if you had to pick one?" He pressured.

"If I had to pick one?" Aubrey paused for a moment and thought.  "I like Virginia." She finally answered.

"Why?" He questioned, his eyes watching her closely.

"It the place I've lived the longest and the one that feels the most like home." She answered honestly.  "Plus I really like the snow there in the winter."

"I love winter." Justin replied.  "It's my favorite season."  Aubrey smiled.  "What made you decide to move out her to L.A.?" He questioned, taking another bite.

"Different reasons." Aubrey answered. 

"Such as?" Justin inquired.

"My grandfather died last year."

"I'm sorry." Justin offered sincerely.

"Thanks." She smiled.  "My parents tried to get my grandma to move to Virginia after he died but she refused so I moved out here to kind of keep an eye on her plus I wanted to get out of the small town I was living in."

"So you're living with your grandmother?" Justin asked.

Aubrey nodded.  "There's no way I'd be able to afford to live on my own with what I'm making right now."

"What do you do?" He asked.

"I'm the receptionist at the design firm Rachel works at." She told him.

"Ah!" He smiled.  "I was wondering where your guys' connection was."

"That's it." Aubrey replied.  

"Do you like being a receptionist?" Justin asked.

"Most days." She told him.  "There are a lot of things I don't like about it, but it's a steady job and it gives me time to study and do my homework."

"You're going to school?" He asked. Aubrey nodded.  "What are you studying?"

"I'm just doing my generals right now." She replied.  "But eventually I want to get my teaching certificate."

"What do you want to teach?" Justin asked.

"Kindergarten." Aubrey smiled.  They were both quiet for a moment.  "No more questions?" Aubrey asked.  "What happened to your list?"

Justin chuckled as he folded his arms and leaned them up on the table.  "What's your favorite color?" He asked.

"Pink." She replied.

"Figures." He rolled his eyes.

"What about you?" She asked.

"Baby blue." He answered a bit too quickly and mechanically and she laughed.  "What's your biggest pet peeve?"

"When people tell me they're going to do something and then they don't follow through." Aubrey replied.

"I totally understand that." Justin told her.  "I hate it when people are phony."

"I bet you get a lot of people like that in your line of work." Aubrey said.

"Yeah." He nodded, his eyes holding hers.  "Yeah, I do."

Justin's gaze suddenly became a bit too intense and Aubrey looked down at her now empty yogurt cup, wondering what to say next.  "When do you need to go pick up your dogs?" She asked, looking back up at him.

He looked at his watch.  "Ten minutes ago." He grinned.

"I'm sorry." Aubrey apologized.

"Why?" He asked with a chuckle.  "I was the one asking all the questions." Aubrey smiled and watched as he shifted in his chair, pulling a small silver cell phone from his pocket.  "What's your number?" He asked, flipping the phone open.

"What?" Aubrey asked, taken back.  "Why do you want my number?"

"Because." He said.  "I'm going to call you the next time I go paintballing."

"Oh yeah?" Aubrey smiled. 

"Yeah." He grinned at her.  "What is it?" He asked.  Aubrey looked at him for a moment, then finally gave in and gave him her number.  "Be ready." He said, putting the phone back in his pocket.  "I'm serious.  I'm going to call you and you're going to come with me." He said standing up.

"Okay." Aubrey said standing as well, knowing full well he wasn't going to call her.  Why in the world would Justin Timberlake call her?  To go paintballing of all things?  They said goodbye and Aubrey watched him walk down the sidewalk, in the opposite direction she needed to go, and couldn't help the smile that came to her face or the fact that she seemed to walk a little taller towards her car.  It's amazing what a chance, friendly encounter with an attractive guy can do for one's self esteem.  She mused as she reached her car parked around the corner and got into the SUV.  I wonder if he's really going to call...

Chapter 3 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Another week...another chapter :)

Date: Thurs, 26 Mar 2009 19:36:18

Subject: Secretary Diaries

To: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

From: freckles_21@yahoo.com

                                                       

Dear Desert Rat,

A day in the life of...Me!  :)

Another week is almost gone

I don't know really what I've done.

I've answered phones, and greeted clients,

Made the coffee and fixed appliance...es (the copy machine).

Most days I sit and dream

Of the day when I'll be earning more green (though not a whole lot more).

 

Last night I helped Grams make a blackberry pie.

And I still haven't found anyone that catches my eye.

I pray for you daily and hope you are well.

Are there any guys in your troop that you could sell (my finer points too)?

Aubrey

Aubrey chuckled to herself as she sent off her latest email to her brother then put her laptop over on her bedside table.  Reaching for her worn and tattered copy of The Scarlet Pimpernel, she lay back against her pillows and settled down for a few hours of reading before going to sleep.  She should be working on her online algebra assignment that was due by Monday, but who wanted to work on math when there was danger, intrigue and romance to read about?  Besides, she told herself.  I'm almost done.  She fanned through the pages she had left before the end.  I can finish this tonight and work on my assignment tomorrow. 

Aubrey had just gotten to the best part--where Marguerite, finding out a trap has been set, is forced to remain silent when her husband appears when all she wants to do is beg him to run away--when her cell phone rang.  She jumped slightly, startled.  Hardly anyone called her.  Her heart fluttered nervously for a moment when she wondered if it was Justin calling, but Aubrey rolled her eyes when the ID registered her parent's house number.    Her father--a military man through and through--had fought the hardest against Aubrey moving to California.  He was convinced she couldn't take care of herself and was going to get taken advantage of and wind up dead in an alley somewhere.  However, after a few months of calling regularly and discovering nothing had happened he had calmed down and grudgingly admitted that maybe she could take care of herself and he shouldn't worry so much. 

"Hello?" She asked, answering the call.

"Hi, honey.  It's Mom." Michelle Davis answered.

"Hi, Mom." Aubrey smiled, closing her book and putting it back on the nightstand.

"How are you?" Her mother asked.  "I was just calling to talk."

Aubrey looked over at the clock on her nightstand, and furrowed her brows in confusion.  "At ten o'clock at night?" She asked referencing the current time in Virginia.

"Well, you know." Her mother drawled.  "It's been a while since I called and I was thinking about you." 

Aubrey narrowed her eyes in suspicion.  She knew her mother well enough to know she didn't call at odd hours unless she had an ulterior motive.  "What's up, Mom?" She asked.

"Huh?" Her mother responded, feigning innocence.

"What's going on?" Aubrey asked, sitting up and scooting back against the headboard.  "What's the real reason you're calling?"

"I can't call you just to talk?" Michelle inquired.

"Sure you can." Aubrey chuckled.  "But that's not usually the reason you call me."

Her mother was quiet for a moment.  "I ran into Shirley Johnson at the grocery store this evening," she started talking quickly, "and we got to talking."  Aubrey groaned and closed her eyes as she let her head fall back against the wall.  This could only mean one thing... "She mentioned that Andrew was coming home next month and he was going to be stationed out in San Diego.  I told her that you were living in L.A. right now and I--"

"Mom." Aubrey interrupted her.  "Mom.  You're too late."

"What?" Her mother asked in confusion.

"Michael already emailed me about Andrew being stationed out here.  He even offered to give Andrew my phone number." Aubrey informed her mother.

"He did?  Oh.  Well, great!" Michelle exclaimed.

"No, Mom." Aubrey replied in irritation as she got up and began pacing around her bedroom.  "It's not great."

"It's not?" Her mother asked.

"No." Aubrey shook her head.

"Why not?"

"Because." Aubrey sighed heavily.  "I'm not in love with Andrew.  I've never been in love with Andrew."

"Oh." Her mother tsked.  "You just haven't given the boy a chance."

"Yes." Aubrey replied.  "I have.  I only went out with him to begin with because it was what Dad wanted."

"But he's such a nice boy." Michelle continued.  "There aren't many of those left, you know."

"You're right." Aubrey nodded.  "He is a nice guy.  He's a great guy and he'll make someone very happy."

"But not you?" Her mother guessed.

"But not me." Aubrey repeated.

"Are you sure?" Michelle continued.  "He'd be able to--"

"Stop, Mom!" Aubrey pled.  She stopped pacing and let out a sigh then sat down on her bed, her shoulders slumping.  "There's nothing there."

"I just want you to find someone who'll make you happy." Her mother told her.

Because there's no possible way I can be happy on my own? Aubrey thought sarcastically and wanted to ask her mother.  Instead she just sighed.  "I know." She said and she did.  She knew her mother only had her best interests in mind.  It was just frustrating that she didn't seem to grasp the concept that Aubrey was an adult and perfectly capable of meeting people on her own and making her own decisions about her life. 

"I worry about you." Michelle said.

"You don't need to worry about me, Mom." Aubrey assured her.  "I'm fine.  I'm happy.  I'm keeping busy and staying out of trouble."

"But you've haven't made very many friends out there." Michelle stated.  Thanks for rubbing it in. Aubrey thought.  "How do you expect to get married if you're not meeting anyone?" Her mother continued.

"I'm only twenty-one!" Aubrey reminded her in exasperation. 

"Don't get snippy with me, Aubrey Janae." Her mother scolded.

"Sorry." Aubrey responded contritely and took a deep breath.

"Just promise me one thing." Michelle said.  "And I won't say another word about it."

"What?" Aubrey asked warily. 

"If Andrew calls you...give him another chance."

Aubrey was quiet for a moment as she thought about what her mother was requesting.  Would it really be so bad to give Andrew another chance?  Her mom was right.  He was a good guy-a great guy-but was he the right guy for her? 

"It's been almost two years, Aubrey." Her mother continued quietly.  "Maybe things have changed."

"Alright!" Aubrey consented with a sigh of resignation.  "Alright.  If he calls, I'll give him another chance."

"Thank you." Michelle said.  "Now, how's Grandma doing?"

~~~~~~

Date: Thurs, 26 Mar 2009 23:18:10

Subject: Captain's Log

To: freckles_21@yahoo.com

From: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

 

Freckles,

What's this I hear about you not meeting anyone that catches your eye?  Tomorrow is Friday (tomorrow is Friday where you are, right?  I get so messed up with the time difference).  DO NOT just sit home with Grandma again!  You're 21!  Go out and have some fun!  You live twenty minutes from L.A.  Go find a hot club and dance with a couple guys!  Life is too short.  Don't waste the time you have.

Your mission this weekend: Call David. (He still works at that club downtown I think, doesn't he?)  Get him to get you in.  Have a few drinks and see who catches your eye.  Then dance with them!  I am expecting a full debriefing on Monday of the weekend's activities.

This email will self destruct in five seconds...

Not really, but that would be kind of cool if it did, huh?

Michael

Aubrey laughed as she read her brother's email later that night, wondering if he had somehow talked to their mother in the last couple hours and knew what she and Aubrey had been talking about.  But, he was right.  She was living in the perfect place to find someone exciting that caught her eye and life was too short to waste.  Enough wasting time. She thought.  Taking a deep breath and squaring her shoulders she vowed to do what Michael had ordered her to do.  She was going to go out tomorrow night.  Now, whether their cousin David was still working as a bartender downtown was yet to be seen but Aubrey crossed her fingers and prayed that luck would be on her side. 

~~~~~~

"Hey!" David smiled as Aubrey walked towards the bar he was manning.  "They let you in!"

Aubrey grinned as she approached him.  "Thanks to you." She told him.  She looked around her at the people filling the large space.  "I don't think they would have let me in if you hadn't given them my name." She said, noticing all the women in the club and suddenly feeling very plain in comparison.  She'd never gone out clubbing before and had no idea what was appropriate clubbing attire and suddenly her jeans and simple white button down shirt seemed very backwoods.  But that's what I am. She thought dejectedly.  Backwoods Barbie.  She tried not to look like she felt--completely out of her element--but it was hard not to. 

"What're you drinking?" David asked, pulling her from her thoughts.

"Um..." Aubrey looked at her cousin for help.  He chuckled.

"How about we start out with a Coke?" He asked.

Aubrey smiled.  "Thanks."  He winked at her as he popped the top on a soda can and poured the cola into a glass for her. 

"Here you go." He said, handing it to her. 

"You're awesome." Aubrey said, taking the drink from him and bringing the glass to her lips.

"Aubrey?"

Aubrey turned in surprise as someone addressed her.  "Rachel!" She exclaimed in surprise after swallowing the drink she'd taken and smiled.

"I didn't take you for the club kind of girl." Rachel said above the noise of the club as she grabbed a couple drinks from the other bartender working with David. 

"That's because I'm not." Aubrey said, looking around the crowded club once more then back at Rachel.

"Then why are you here?" Rachel asked with a laugh.

"I don't know." Aubrey confessed with a laugh of her own.  "A moment of insanity?  I'm not staying very long..."

"What?" Rachel exclaimed.  "It's only nine o'clock.  The night is young!  Come on." She said, gesturing with her head as she turned and began winding through the crowd. 

"What are you doing here?" Aubrey asked as she followed Rachel.

"Celebrating." Rachel told her, looking over her shoulder with a smile.  "Jace's album debuted at number eight this week."

"That's awesome!" Aubrey replied excitedly.

"Yeah, he's pretty excited." Rachel said. 

"Hey!" JC said as the girls reached the table.  He took the drink Rachel handed him and pressed a quick kiss to her lips as she slid into the booth next to him. 

"Look who I found." Rachel said taking a drink of the strawberry daiquiri she'd gotten.

"Hey, Aubrey." JC smiled politely though Aubrey could tell he was a little disappointed Rachel had come back to the table with a tag-along.

"Hi." Aubrey replied as she sat down across from the couple, promising herself she wouldn't stay long.  

"What are you doing here?" JC asked, putting his arm around Rachel's shoulders.

"Uh, well..." Aubrey chuckled self-consciously.  My brother made me?  "I was in the mood to try something new and thought this would be a good place to meet some new people."

"Have you met anyone interesting yet?" Rachel asked, curious.

"Not yet." Aubrey chuckled.  "But like you said, the night is young."

Rachel laughed.  "There are always a few weirdoes at these places.  But every once in a while you meet someone great." She took another sip of her drink.  "This one time, I drug Megan out to a club with me and--"

"Hey man!"

Rachel stopped and she, JC and Aubrey looked up as an attractive younger guy came up to their table with a tall brunette attached to his arm.  The brunette released her hold on the guy as he and JC shook hands--the younger man giving JC a congratulatory slap on the shoulder.  "Congratulations on the album."

"Thanks." JC said leaning back again.  Rachel smiled.  "This is my girlfriend, Rachel." JC said in introduction. 

"Hi, Rachel." He said, reaching his hand out to her.

"Hi." Rachel smiled, accepting the guy's hand.

"And this is Aubrey." JC said gesturing across the table.  "She's a friend." Aubrey sat up a little taller.  It wasn't every day someone famous introduced her as "a friend."

"Nice to meet you." The guy said, shaking Aubrey's hand.  By the looks of him Aubrey knew he was a celebrity--confident attitude, perfect smile, attractive entourage--she just didn't know what kind of celebrity or even what his name was.  He was cute.  How come I don't know who he is? She wondered.  She caught Rachel's eye across the table briefly as the other girl took a sip of her drink. 

"See ya, man." The guy Aubrey knew she should know said, lifting his hand as he left with his date.  The three of them went back to their drinks as Aubrey searched her mental files to see if there was anything in there about the guy who she'd just been introduced to. 

Nothing.

"So, can I ask a really dumb question?" Aubrey asked a few seconds later, her curiosity getting the better of her.  Rachel nodded.  "Who was that?"

"What?" JC asked incredulously. 

"I knew it." Rachel laughed.  "That was Chase Crawford." She explained.  "He and Jace have the same manager.  He's on Gossip Girl."

"Oh." Aubrey replied.  That didn't help.  She still had no idea who he was.

"You don't watch that show do you?" Rachel asked.

"Nope." Aubrey said with a shake of her head.

"Seriously?" JC asked in shock.  "What girl doesn't watch that show?"

"I've lead a pretty sheltered life." Aubrey explained with a shrug of her shoulder.

"How old are you?" JC asked.

"Twenty-one." She replied.

"Time to quit being sheltered." He said.  "Live a little."

Okay, seriously.  Aubrey thought.  Is everyone I know talking to each other--conspiring to get me married?  "Is this one of those ‘no regrets' speeches?" Aubrey asked, rolling her eyes.

"Oh, you've heard it before?" JC teased.

"Yeah." Aubrey smiled and looked down at her now empty glass.

"Let's go dance." JC said to Rachel.  Aubrey looked up at the couple.  And there's my cue.  She thought.

"But...I want to talk to Aubrey." Rachel replied.

"You guys can talk at work." JC said.

"But..."

"No, it's okay." Aubrey said, putting her hands up as she jumped into the conversation.  "I think I'm going to leave."

"What?" Rachel asked.  "You can't leave."

"Rach." JC said with a chuckle.  "If she wants to go, let her go.  Come on."  He said standing and helping her out of the booth.

"But..." Rachel hedged again, looking at Aubrey as she stood next to JC.

"Rachel, its fine." Aubrey laughed.  "Go.  Like I said, I'm leaving."

"Okay.  If you're sure..."

"I am."

"She is." JC said at the same time.

Rachel turned and playfully slapped JC's chest.  "Quiet." She said with a laugh. 

"Ow." He said rubbing his hand over his chest then put his arms around Rachel from behind. 

"You two have fun." Aubrey said as she got out of the booth.  She watched as JC rested his chin on Rachel's shoulder.  "And congratulations, JC." She offered.

"Thanks." He replied with a smile.

"Bye." Rachel said as Aubrey left.  Aubrey lifted her hand in good-bye as JC led Rachel out to the dance floor.  She stood for a moment, watching as JC spun Rachel around and then pulled her close-sighing wistfully at the obvious love between them.  Rachel is a lucky girl.  She thought as she straightened, preparing to leave-justifying to herself that she'd followed through on what she'd promised Michael.  She'd gone out.  She hadn't spent another Friday night just sitting on the couch watching a show with Grams.  Aubrey turned to leave, pulling up short as she came face to face with a very attractive looking guy. 

"Hello." He said. 

"Hi." Aubrey said, a little taken back that someone she didn't know was actually talking to her. 

"You must be one hell of a thief." He said. 

"What?" Aubrey questioned with a confused chuckle.

"You stole my heart from across the room." He finished with a wink and a grin as he lifted the glass in his hand to his lips.  Aubrey laughed.  "Too cheesy?" He asked and she nodded.

"Just a little." She replied.

"How about this then," he said, placing his glass on the table beside her.  "You wanna dance?"

Aubrey looked at him for a moment.  "Sure." She smiled as she let him lead her out on the dance floor-imagining the shock on her brother's face when she emailed him Monday morning.   She was suddenly glad she'd taken his challenge. 

Mission accomplished.

~~~~~~

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:15:48

Subject: Secretary Diaries

To: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

From: freckles_21@yahoo.com

Dear Desert Rat,

Reporting for debriefing, sir!  The mission was successful.  Are you shocked?  David was able to get me in to the club he works at downtown and after a drink (okay, so it was just a Coke...) and saying hi to a girl I work with who was there celebrating with her boyfriend (he's a musician and his second album just came out and is doing very well), I actually met and danced with a guy who was cute and funny.  His name is Seth and he--

"Personal emails at work?"

Aubrey looked up in surprise as Rachel tsked behind her.  "Oh, please." Aubrey responded with a chuckle.  "Like you don't?"

"I don't." Rachel replied, her straight face only remaining for a few seconds before she laughed.

"I'm just emailing my brother." Aubrey explained.  "Is that okay?"

"Oh, I don't care." Rachel replied with a wave of her hand.  "How's he doing?"

"Good." Aubrey smiled.  "I was just sending him the debriefing he requested on my weekend."

"So..." Rachel drawled, leaning against the top of the reception desk.  "How was your weekend?  Anything exciting happen at the club after we said goodbye Friday night?"

"Maybe..." Aubrey replied.  "I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?" Rachel laughed.  "What happened?  Spill."

"Well," Aubrey began.  "After you and JC left this guy came up to me and--" Aubrey stopped as the phone rang.  "Hold on." She told Rachel.  "Good morning, Adams and Richards." She answered the phone then, after transferring it to the correct person, she turned back to Rachel.

"This guy came up to you," Rachel prompted.  "Then what?"

Aubrey smiled.  "He came up and used the most ridiculous pick up line I've ever heard."

"What was it?" Rachel asked. 

"‘You must be one hell of a thief because you stole my heart from across the room.'" Aubrey quoted the line Seth had given her.

Rachel began laughing.  "That's bad." She said. 

"I know, right?" Aubrey said with a giggle.

"Then what happened?" Rachel asked expectantly.

"He asked me if I wanted to dance.  I said sure.  We danced for a few songs and he bought me a drink then we exchanged numbers before I left."

"Ooh." Rachel intoned.  "What's his name?"

"Seth."

"And what does he look like?"

"Um, he's about JC's height, blonde hair, green eyes, great smile, funny--"

"Has he called you?" Rachel asked.

"Not yet." Aubrey shook her head.

"You should call him." Rachel stated.

Aubrey rolled her eyes.  "Not you too." She mumbled under her breath.

"What?" Rachel asked.

"Nothing." Aubrey smiled at her.  "How was the rest of your weekend?"

"It was good." Rachel smiled.  "After celebrating on Friday we just stayed home the rest of the weekend.  It was nice to just spend the time together while we still can." She paused.  "How come you didn't tell me you went out with Justin?"

"What?" Aubrey asked with a confused chuckle-her brain struggling to process Rachel's quick jump in topics.  "Justin?"

"You know." Rachel looked at her.  "Justin Timberlake?  The guy you smashed your brownie all over in my kitchen a few weeks ago?"

Aubrey felt her cheeks warm.  "I-I haven't gone out with him."

"He was over the other night and mentioned you guys met up at Red Mango last week." Rachel told her.

"Oh." Aubrey replied as understanding dawned.  "Really?" She asked, not quite sure how to feel about the fact that Justin had talked about their chance encounter to his friends.  What does that mean? She wondered.

"Yep." Rachel nodded.

"It was a freak, chance encounter." Aubrey explained, trying not to get her hopes up over nothing.  "We just both happened to be at the same time at the same place."  Again.  She thought, but didn't voice that fact out loud.  There was no reason for Rachel to know about her run-in with Justin at the park back in January.  Aubrey could see the wheels already turning in her friend's head and didn't want her making a bigger deal out of this than it was. 

"Is that all?" Rachel asked.

Aubrey nodded.  "He seems like a great guy."  She offered.  "We sat and talked for a few minutes.  He's easy to talk to--which is surprising," she mused.  "Considering who he is and all."

"It's not surprising." Rachel told her with a shake of her head.  "Not if you know him."  Aubrey smiled. 

"At any rate," Aubrey continued.  "It wasn't a date."

"Hmmm." Rachel hummed.

"What?" Aubrey asked with a chuckle.

"Oh nothing." Rachel replied.  "It's just...Justin made it seem like it was more than just a chance encounter." She stopped when her cell phone rang.  Looking down at it Rachel apologized.  "I have to take this."

"Take it." Aubrey smiled, grateful that the topic of conversation was being dropped.  Although, as she watched Rachel walk away from her, a tiny piece of her was curious as to what exactly Justin had said about their meeting.

Okay, a big part of her was curious.

Does that man he likes me? She wondered then had to laugh at herself.  Don't go reading signs when there aren't any. She scolded herself.  Besides, why in the world would Justin Timberlake be interested in me?  He wouldn't be.  End of story.  Although, he did ask for my number and said he would call.  But it's been, she looked at the calendar on her computer, almost three weeks, so he's probably not going to call me.

Finally, with a sigh, Aubrey resolved that she was just being ridiculous.  Her chance run-ins with Justin were just that: chance run-ins.  Aubrey tried to push all thoughts of the famous pop star from her mind.  She may be a bit inexperienced when it came to guys but she knew when a situation was pointless and wasting her time thinking anything was going to happen between herself and one, Justin Timberlake, was the epitome of "pointless." 

Going back to her brother's email, Aubrey finished telling him about meeting Seth then, after signing it, she sent it off.  She spent the rest of the day completing her tasks at work and finished the homework she had to submit tonight, but her mind wouldn't stop wandering back to her conversation with Rachel about a certain tall, blue eyed superstar. 

I wonder what he's doing right now.

Chapter 4 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Don't fall out of your chair now!  lol....yes, I'm updating again.  All the awesome reviews I got on the last chapter motivated me.  And plus, I'm just nice like that :)

Wasted.  That's what he felt like right now. 

The last three years of his music career?  Wasted.  What had he done professionally in the last little while?

The last two years with Jess?  Wasted.  How could he have been so wrong about them?

The energy he'd put into planning the proposal?  Wasted.  Why had he thought getting married would fix their relationship?

"Me?" He questioned aloud, holding the glass of amber liquid up in front of him--he watched as the dim lights in the smoky bar he was sitting in refracted off the glass.  "Wasted." He grumbled under his breath.  Justin swallowed the remaining scotch then put the glass back on the counter.  He caught the eye of the bartender and signaled his need for a refill.

"Are you sure?" The guy behind the counter asked.

"What are you, my mother?" Justin replied acridly.

"No, but I can call her." He replied crossing his beefy arms across his chest.

"Just poor the damn drink, Pete, will ya?" Justin replied in irritation to the guy he'd known since junior high.  That was the problem with coming home--people didn't treat him like a celebrity.  He was just Justin, the kid who'd grown up down the street, and he couldn't get away with most of the things he could get away with in L.A. or New York.

Pete looked at him for a moment then held out his hand.

"What?" Justin asked, looking at the guy.

"Give me your keys first." Pete replied.  "Don't want that pretty face of yours getting smeared all over the road tonight, do we?  What would all your fans do if you died?"  Justin rolled his eyes as he shifted in his seat and pulled the keys to the truck he'd rented at the airport.  Once he had the keys Pete refilled his glass.  "This is the last one.  I'm cutting you off."

Justin swirled the liquid in his glass as his mind began wandering again.  It had been almost three months since Jess had moved out and they'd gone their separate ways.  He couldn't help but be kept up to date on what she was doing--thanks to all their mutual friends and the media--and it hurt a little to know she was doing just fine without him.  She had a new movie coming out and he'd heard rumors she was back together with her ex-boyfriend Chris Evans.  What was he doing?  Sitting in a bar in Shelby Forest, Tennessee, getting drunk.  With a hiss he quickly downed the last of the scotch Pete had just poured him and turned in his seat.  Standing, he walked--a bit unsteadily--towards the door.

"You want a cab?" Pete asked him.

"Nah." Justin waved his arm.  "I'm just going to walk."  He pushed the door open and stepped outside--the fresh and cool night air working to sober him up a bit.   He pulled the black ball cap he was wearing lower over his eyes and jammed his hands into the pockets of his jeans as he began walking down the deserted country road between the bar and his mother's house.  He kicked a few pebbles in the road before turning his eyes to the sky above him.  That was another thing different about coming home: being able to actually see the stars at night.  He remembered camping out in his backyard as a kid--looking up at the stars and feeling very small and insignificant in comparison but also feeling a sense of comfort in knowing God was in control of everything. 

Where's that comfort now?  He thought, lowering his gaze to the road once more.  What's next? He wondered, putting that thought out there to the universe--hoping somehow the answer would present itself.  He'd taken Rachel's advice and hadn't jumped right into another relationship after Jess had moved out.  The only problem?  It had been almost three months and he wasn't any closer to figuring out "what he really wanted," except that he was sick of all the hypocrisy in Hollywood.  Was it so hard to just to be yourself and not put on any front?  JC seemed to have lucked out and found someone real--Rachel had been honest about the fact that she was a fan from the beginning--and while he had worried that JC was just setting himself up for more heartbreak by dating her, Rachel had proven her feelings were genuine.  She wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.  I wonder if she has a sister.  Justin mused, contemplating how he was going to go about finding the one he was supposed to be with; the one who would help him make sense of the crazy life he led.

With a sigh Justin lifted his eyes as the porch light his mother had left on illuminated the front walkway of the house.  Bypassing the front door he walked through the grass around to the back.  He was still pretty drunk and he didn't want to deal with the lecture his mother was bound to give him about the fact.

I'll just stay out here for awhile.  He thought lowering himself to the ground and lying back on the grass as he looked up at the stars.  Just until I sober up a bit.

~~~~~~

"Justin?" A voice woke him from the deep sleep he'd been in.

"Mmmm." He moaned, shifting slightly as he threw his arm over his eyes to block out the light shining in them.

"Justin?" The voice became more insistent, worried almost, but he was in too much pain to care about what was troubling them.  His head was pounding, his back was killing him and his mouth felt like he'd swallowed a pitcher full of sand.  "Justin." The voice continued in a firmer tone.  "Answer me, young man."

Justin opened his eyes a slit, the image of his mother materializing above him.  Wincing at the sunlight above him he groaned again and closed his eyes.  "Ma.  What...?"

"Justin." She nudged him with her foot.  He squinted up at her again, watching as she squatted down next to him.  "Baby, what are you doing out here sleepin' on the grass?  I was scared to death when Pete brought your truck over this morning.  I didn't know where you were until I looked out the window and saw you back here."

"I must have...fallen asleep." He mumbled, scrubbing his hands over his face.  "What time is it?" He asked finally sitting up.

"Almost ten." Lynn said standing up as she looked down at him.  "I've got some coffee inside.  You want to get up off the ground now?"

"If I can."  Justin groaned as he stood up beside his mother and stretched--his stiff muscles protesting.  He'd definitely need to go for a run today to work out the kinks.  His mother looked at him for a moment her eyes full of sympathy as she put a hand to his face and smiled sadly. 

"Let's go inside, huh?" She asked.  "Then you can tell me all about it."

Justin followed her inside and soon found himself sitting at his mother's kitchen table, his hands wrapped around a coffee mug as he bent his head down--the aromatic steam coming from the hot drink working to break him from the fog he was in. 

"Take your hat off at the table." Lynn said, placing a small plate in front of him with one of her homemade cinnamon rolls on it.  Justin did as she requested, setting the ball cap he was still wearing from last night on the empty chair beside him.  He picked up the pastry and bit into it as she sat down across from him.  He moaned in pleasure as he licked his lips.

"Nobody makes them like you, Ma." He said, placing the roll back on the plate and picking up his coffee mug. 

Lynn smiled.  "You gonna tell me why you flew in without any warning yesterday, promptly disappeared after saying hello last night and then fell asleep out in the backyard?" She asked, taking a sip of her own coffee.  "It's all a little strange, even for you."

Justin's eyes dropped from his mother's knowing gaze.  He reached for a napkin and began playing with it, trying to avoid all thoughts that had to do with his activities of the night before.

"What's wrong?" His mother asked.

"What makes you think something's wrong?" He questioned.

"I'm your mother." She replied.  "It's my job to know these things."

"I can't just come out for a visit?" He countered.

"You're fidgeting." She commented, reaching out and placing her hand over his--stilling his nervous actions.  He looked up at her.  "You fidget when you're nervous or there's something you don't want to tell me.  You always have."

"I can't help it." He replied.  "I just feel so...antsy."

"Antsy about what?" She questioned.

"Life."  He answered. 

"What do you mean?"

Justin sighed and leaned back in his chair, folding his arms across his chest.  "I don't know." He responded. 

"Is this about Jessica?" Lynn asked, effectively hitting the proverbial nail on the head.  How does she do that? He wondered.  "Honey, it's going to take time to get over the breakup." She said, placing her coffee mug down on the table and leaning towards him.  "There's no easy formula that says when you'll get over the heartbreak.  You just have to let it run its course.  Pretty soon--"

"I'm over it." He interrupted her.  His mother looked at him closely, her eyes narrowing in examination.  "I am." He assured her.  "I just..." He sighed again and leaned his arms against the tabletop again.  "I just don't know what's next."

"Does something have to be next?" Lynn asked.

Justin looked at her, one eyebrow raised.  "You know me." He said.  "I hate being idle." 

"Didn't you tell me you were trying to get back together with the group so y'all could put out another album?"  She asked.  "That's not keeping you busy?"

"Right now it's just Jace and I working on a few songs-which is nothing more than we've always done.  Besides, he's busy with his new album and getting ready to go out on tour and he's got Rachel now.  I just..."

"You want a girl?" Lynn guessed.  Justin took a deep breath, his silence giving away his answer.  Another thing he'd discovered during the last couple months: he wasn't the type of person who did well being alone.  This was the longest he'd gone, since he could remember, without dating someone and he was ready to get back in the saddle so to speak.  "That's not something you can rush, sweetheart." His mother informed him.  "It happens on its own time schedule."

Justin nodded his head.  "I know."

"Just enjoy your life right now." Lynn smiled and he rolled his eyes.  She chuckled.  "I know it's not what you want to hear but just keep your eyes open to possibilities and don't let an opportunity pass you by.  Go out and make some new friends."  She stood and walked over to the sink.  "You never know who it is God has waiting in the wings for you."

~~~~~~

"Hey Zack." Rachel greeted the mix artist she had worked with when she and JC were recording their duet last fall as she popped a few of the Skittles she was eating in her mouth. 

"Hey, girl!" He replied, turning in his chair and smiling at her.  "What brings you down here?"

"Oh, you know." She waved her hand.  "I've lost my boyfriend again." She told him, putting a hand on her hip.  "I haven't seen him in a couple days.  You haven't seen him by chance have you?"

Zack laughed.  "There's a couple bums been hangin' around here the last few days." He said then gestured over his shoulder to the recording studio behind him.  "He one of them?"

Rachel smiled.  "Yep.  That's him." She replied, watching as JC and Justin stood talking to each other in the soundproof room.  "Any chance I could listen in?" She asked.

Zack pulled out the empty chair next to him.  "Pull up a chair," he said.  "And your wish is my command." He winked at her as he flipped a switch-JC and Justin's voices filling the booth.

"...I still don't think that hook is right, C." Justin said shaking his head.

"What's wrong with it?" JC said.  "Listen." He then sang a few measures and Rachel sighed dreamily.  She loved listening to JC sing.  His range was amazing and his voice was like smooth and silky dark chocolate.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she eyed her boyfriend appreciatively.

Zack chuckled beside her.  "What?" Rachel asked, turning to look at the guy. 

"Nothin'." He replied with a shake of his head. 

"You want some?" She asked, holding out the bag of Skittles in her hand." 

"Nah." Zack shook his head.

Rachel shrugged then turned her attention back to the two men in the studio.  She sat, listening to them arguing good-naturedly back and forth and trying out different harmony lines for the next twenty minutes until JC finally noticed her and stopped, a smile lighting his face.  He winked at her. 

"What are you doing here?" He asked, exaggerating his words--not knowing she could hear him. 

Zack pointed at the button for the speaker system.  Rachel leaned forward and pushed the button.  "I was lonely."

He grinned.  "Are those Skittles?" He asked, noticing the red bag in her hand.  Rachel looked down at the candy then back up at him, an evil grin spreading across her face.  "Yeah..." she drawled as she put a few in her mouth.  "You wanna come in here and taste the rainbow with me?"  Her smile widened.  Justin erupted into a fit of giggles beside JC while Zack started laughing beside her. 

"Is that an invitation?" JC asked, his eyes holding hers through the glass.

Rachel shrugged.  "It's whatever you want it to be, pop star."  She replied and he laughed.  "I actually just came down to see if you were going to take a break anytime soon and wanted to go out to lunch with me."

"Let's take a break." JC said to Justin.

Thank you.  Justin mouthed as he put his hands together as if he were about to pray.  Rachel smiled and watched as the two guys left the studio and walked into the recording booth.  She stood and put her arms around JC's neck as he pulled her close and kissed her. 

"Mmmm." He murmured, licking his lips when he pulled back.  "Fruity." He commented with an evil glint in his eyes.

"You got that right." Justin commented behind them.  

"Watch it." Rachel said, looking at Justin over JC's shoulder.

"What?" He questioned.  "Look, all I'm sayin' is-before you came along I was really beginning to wonder, that's all."

"Ignore him." JC told her and Rachel giggled.  "I was thinking about you today." He told her, tightening his arms around her waist as he swayed them back and forth.

"Oh yeah?" She questioned. 

"Yeah." He nodded.

"What were you thinking about me?" Rachel asked.

JC's eyes sparkled mischievously.  "About how you're a hell of a lot prettier than Justin is."

"Hey!" Justin exclaimed, putting his hands on his hips.  "I'm pretty!"

"Pretty annoying." JC grumbled under his breath.  Rachel chuckled.

She watched Justin strike a pose behind JC and she couldn't help laughing as he batted his eyes at her and pretended to fluff his hair.  She stepped out of JC's arms and folded her arms across her chest as she shook her head at his antics.

"What?" Justin asked as JC sat down in the chair she'd been occupying a moment before.  Rachel sat down on his lap as he began messing around with what he and Justin had recorded earlier--JC's arm going around her, his hand resting on her thigh.

"Nothing." Rachel chuckled.  Justin narrowed his eyes at her.  "I was talking to someone about you the other day." She said. 

"Oh yeah?" He asked.  "Who?"

"Aubrey." Rachel replied and watched as something sparked in his blue eyes.

~~~~~ 

"Aubrey?" Justin questioned.  Rachel nodded her head.  "What were you talking about?" He asked, surprised at his curiosity.  He was beginning to wonder if it was more than just coincidence that he kept bumping into--sometimes literally--this girl.

"You." She said.

"Yeah, I caught that part." He replied sarcastically.  "What about me?"

Rachel looked down and began examining her nails casually and he fought his irritation at her.  "She said she thought you seemed like a great guy and she really liked talking to you." She told him looking up, watching him closely.

"That all?" He asked casually.

"She seemed interested in you, though she tried to cover it up." Rachel told him.  He remained quiet, not quite sure how to respond.  Sure, Aubrey was cute and she had a great smile and yeah, he'd enjoyed talking with her a couple weeks ago but he wasn't sure he was interested in her that way. 

Weren't you just complaining to Mom about how you wanted a girlfriend? His conscience argued. 

Yeah.  He answered back internally.  But, Aubrey?  I don't think so.  She's so...he paused, searching for a word that would describe her.

Normal? His conscience questioned. 

Wholesome. He replied internally. 

"She's a great girl." Rachel told him.  "You could do worse." She paused.  "Actually, I think you have." She teased with a smile.

"Oh, ha ha." He replied dryly.  "You're so funny." He rolled his eyes though she was right.  He had done worse and in the not so distant past.

"Well, anyway." Rachel said, leaning back against JC.  "Aubrey's cute and fun to be with and I think she'd be good for you.  She's low maintenance and doesn't seem to be affected by the fact that you're Mr. SexyBack."

"Wait.  I'm confused." Justin said.  "Weren't you the one a couple months ago telling me not to get into another relationship and now here you are trying to get me together with Aubrey?"

"He's got a point." JC spoke up.

"I wasn't asking you." Rachel said looking at JC.  "Just think about it." She said, turning back to Justin.  "You ready?" She asked JC.

"Yeah, let's go." JC said putting both hands on Rachel's hips as he moved her off his lap and stood beside her.  He took her hand.  "You want to come get something to eat with us?" He asked Justin.

"Nah. You guys go ahead.  I think I'm going to go home.  We're done here, right?" He asked.

"Yeah." JC replied.  "You still coming out to New York next week?"

"Yeah, I'll be there." Justin smiled. 

"See ya." JC said.

"Bye." Rachel lifted her free hand.

"Later." Justin said as he watched the two of them leave. 

"This Aubrey sounds like the real deal." Zack said, speaking up behind him.  "Why aren't you jumping on that ship?" He asked as Justin turned to look at the guy. 

"We're from opposite ends of the spectrum." Justin replied.

"Whatever, man." Zack said.  "It's your life."

~~~~~~

April

"What do you think of this group?" Justin whispered, leaning over to JC as they sat in the back of the auditorium.  They'd been there all day taking notes on the different dancers that had come to audition in hopes of being chosen to be a part of JC's tour.

"Huh?" JC looked over at him then stared blankly at the stage.  "I dunno." He shrugged.

"Man, what's with you?" Justin asked, turning in his seat to look at JC.  "Are you even watching?" He gestured to the stage.

"Yeah," JC responded.  "Of course."

"Of course." Justin scoffed, mimicking his friend.  "Let me tell you something." He turned so he was once more facing the stage and leaned over towards JC.  "You see the blonde in the back row?"

JC looked where he was pointing.  "What about her?" He asked.

"She wants me." Justin sniffed and puffed out his chest, trying to make JC laugh.  He'd been sitting next to the guy for the last six hours and had yet to see him smile.  Something was up, and he was willing to bet it had something to do with Rachel.  He kept opening his phone, as if he were expecting a text message or something and the longer that time went by the deeper his worry lines became.

JC laughed, shaking his head.  "You never stop, do you." He asked.  "How long has it been, huh?  Three months since you and Jessie broke up?"

"You didn't expect me to stay single forever did you?" Justin asked with a grin.

"Fifty bucks says you can't get her to go back to your hotel room with you." JC said.

"I'll take that bet." Justin said, reaching over and shaking JC's hand.  "Now," he continued, slouching down in his seat.  "You gonna tell me what's going on?"

"What do you mean?" JC asked, averting his eyes.

Justin just looked at him, one eyebrow raised.  "How long have we known each other, C?" He asked.

"Too long." JC muttered under his breath.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that." Justin said then continued.  "Point is, we've known each other a long time and I can tell something's not right.  Are you and Rachel having problems?"

"I don't want to talk about this." JC said, standing.

Justin looked at him in surprise.  "What about the auditions?" He asked pointing towards the stage. 

"I'm done for today." JC replied.  Justin watched as he walked down the row of seats and left the auditorium.  Turning his attention back to the stage he slouched down and leaned his head back against the chair.  His eyes followed the movements of the girl he'd randomly pointed out up on the stage.  She's cute.  He mused.  And she's got good rhythm--which could come in handy later.  He chuckled to himself.  It's been too long, Timberlake.  He thought, straightening as the girl was dismissed and she walked backstage.  Standing he moved inconspicuously towards the back door, hoping to cut her off before she left.  Fifty bucks was fifty bucks.  Plus, he'd never been able to resist a dare and he wasn't going to start now.

Making his way down the hall to the backstage area he opened the door and looked around, hoping the girl hadn't left.  He was about to leave when he spotted her talking to a few of the other dancers that had been onstage with her.  He took a deep breath and slipped into celebrity mode as he made his way towards her.  The other dancers she was talking to left and, after waving goodbye the girl turned in his direction--pulling up short when she realized he was blocking her way. 

"Hey." He said, nodding his head.

"Hi." She replied, hiking her duffle bag higher on her shoulder as she smiled politely at him.  She moved to walk around him but he stepped in front of her again.  Her green eyes looked up at him in question.

"I noticed you up on stage." He told her.  "And I was wondering if you had plans tonight."

"Um, yes." She told him.  "Actually I do.  You see, my husband," she lifted her left hand--the ring on her finger catching the light.  "And I are going to a show tonight.  As flattered as I am that you noticed me, I don't think I'm what you're looking for.  Try the corner." She said pushing past him. 

Justin's jaw dropped and he watched--speechless--as she left, his ego deflated.  Had she really just suggested he find a prostitute?  That was definitely a rejection he'd never heard before.  What crawled up her ass?  He wondered.  He turned stopping when a leggy red-head stepped up to him. 

"Hey." She smiled.

Instead of acknowledging her he just kept walking--the blonde's estimation of his character still smarting.  A prostitute? He questioned as he retraced his steps out to the lobby.  I'm Justin Timberlake!  He thought.  I can get any girl I want.  I don't need to pay to get some.

Any girl? The voice in the back of his head questioned.  He angrily pushed the voice away.  He could hear music still playing in the auditorium as he passed the doors but he had no desire to go back in there and waste anymore of his time when the final decision on dancers was ultimately left up to the tour manager anyway.  Pushing through the front doors he pulled his sunglasses from his pocket and put them on, then hit the street-hoping to find something to take his mind off the humiliating rejection he'd just gotten. 

~~~~~~

"Jace!" Justin jogged to catch up with JC as the other guy stepped into an empty elevator at the hotel they were both staying at.  JC held the elevator door open for him with his arm then let the door close when they were both inside. 

"Where'd you go this afternoon?" Justin asked.  "You sure left in a hurry."

"I needed to clear my head." He said.  "Everything with this album is happening so fast.  I called and talked to Rachel for a few minutes then walked around Central Park for a while."

"That's good." Justin said.

"What are you doing?" JC asked as the elevator reached their floor and Justin reached into his pocket--pulling out his wallet as they walked down the hall.

"I owe you fifty bucks." Justin told him, pulling out some cash.  "All I've got are twenties.  You got any change?"

JC took the three twenties Justin was holding out and put the bills in his pocket.  "I'll buy you a drink later." He said.  Justin chuckled.  "I told you that you couldn't get that girl to leave with you." JC teased as he opened his hotel room door and Justin followed him inside.  "I hate to say it, but I think you're losing your charm, Timberlake.  It seems the time has come when people are sick of you."

"You wait." Justin responded pointing a finger at him.  "When everyone gets wind of what's about to go down with the group the girls will come." He grinned wickedly, choosing to ignore the fact that the girl's harsh rejection and judgment of his character still stung.  JC rolled his eyes.

"You're not as young as you used to...be..."  Both of the men stopped as they walked further into the room and Justin collapsed to the floor in a fit of giggles at the sight of Rachel sitting on the bed in a piece of revealing, black lingerie--scrambling to cover up when more than just her boyfriend walked into the room.  Speaking of girls coming. Justin said as he heard Rachel groan when she pulled the sheets over her head.  He looked over at JC who stood--staring speechlessly at the spot where Rachel had disappeared beneath the covers--and somehow managed to stand and walked over to the bed.  Sitting down on the edge he placed his hand over her hip through the blankets. 

"Hey baby," He giggled.  Rachel groaned again.  "You're in the wrong room.  I'm down in--"

"That's enough." JC said, finally coming out of his dazed stupor and grabbing Justin by the arm--pulling him up.  

"Hey!" Justin exclaimed still laughing.  "I wasn't done--"

"Yes you were." JC told him, pulling him away from the bed.  He opened the door and pushed Justin through it.  "And don't come back." He said, shutting him out of the room.  Justin continued laughing as he walked down the hallway to his room.  The look on Rachel's face had been priceless!  He couldn't wait to tease her about it in the morning.  He rubbed his hands together.  This is gonna be fun. He thought.

He let himself into his hotel room.  Pulling his wallet from his pants again he tossed it and his keys on the dresser, kicked off his shoes and jumped back on the bed--grabbing the TV remote on the beside table.  He flipped idly through the different stations.  When nothing caught his attention right away he turned the volume down and left it tuned to VH1 as he pulled his phone from his pocket.   Laying back on the pillows he flipped it opened and scrolled through his contact list--searching for someone who lived in the area that he knew would be up for hanging out tonight.  One name jumped out at him but it wasn't one he was expecting. 

Aubrey.  He'd forgotten that he'd gotten her number that day at Red Mango.  He wondered for a moment if what Rachel had told him last week was true.  Was she really interested in him?  He put the phone against his lips as he stared up at the ceiling in thought.  She seemed like a nice girl, but beyond that they didn't really have a whole lot in common.  Besides, he reasoned--closing his phone and putting it on the bedside table.  Hollywood and wholesome don't really mix well together.  She's better off without me.  He picked up the remote once more and flipped the television to one of the movie stations--eventually falling asleep as he watched The Dark Knight.   

~~~~~~

Justin grinned the next morning as he walked into the auditorium and saw Rachel sitting with JC.  He tiptoed over to the couple, not wanting to give away the fact that he was there.  He wanted to surprise her; to see the look on her face when he teased her about last night. 

"Well hello." He said as he slid into the seat next to Rachel.  He watched as her cheeks turned red and he couldn't help the evil grin that broke out.   "I dreamt about you last night."  He told her and Rachel looked at him in shock.

"What?" She exclaimed, a little too loudly.  The other people in the auditorium turned to look at her and she sunk down in her chair a little.

"I must say you looked hot last night in that little black number, but just for the record my favorite color is baby blue." Justin told her matter of factly.  Rachel's jaw dropped as she looked at him.

"Okay, this is not going to work." JC said, suddenly putting his hands on Rachel's arms and pulling her up and out of her chair.  He slid into her seat next to Justin as he sat her down in the seat he had been occupying. 

"What gives, C?" Justin asked.  "We were just talking."

"Don't talk to me right now." JC said, not even looking at him.  Justin looked at him, hurt, and Rachel laughed.  He thinks he can stop me talking to her? He thought defiantly.  We'll just see about that.

"Hey Rachel?" He said whispering loudly as he leaned back in his chair.  She looked over at him.

"What?" She asked.  He could tell she was struggling to keep a straight face and he grinned. 

"Baby blue."  He reminded her as the first group came out on stage.  "Ow!" He exclaimed his seat coming back down to the floor as JC slapped his chest with the back of his hand.

"Shh!" The choreographer and tour manager turned around in their seats a few rows ahead of them. 

"Hey Justin!" Rachel said, mimicking his stage whisper from earlier as she leaned back in her chair as he had done. 

"Yeah?" He asked leaning back and looking at her expectantly. 

"Only in your dreams." She told him.

"That's right, baby." He winked at her and Rachel rolled her eyes.

"Listen, Timberlake." JC said looking at Justin.  "She may be in your dreams but she's in my bed, you got that?"

"Yeah I got it." Justin replied quietly.  "And that's why I envy you."

End Notes:
So.......what'dya think?
Chapter 5 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Can you believe it?  Three chapters in a week?!  Boy, I must really love you guys...lol...

"He was safe!  Come on!"

Aubrey looked up and chuckled to herself as Grams yelled at the television.  She was tempted to remind her it was just a game, but why spoil the older woman's fun?  With a smile Aubrey went back to her algebra homework.  If 6 - bx = 15 + cx.  X equals what?  She tapped the end of her pencil against the table as she thought through the equation.  "It's not possible." She said out loud.

"What?" Grams asked.

"Huh?" Aubrey looked up in confusion.  "Oh, nothing.  Just trying to figure out this stupid problem."  She grumbled.  "I need more information." She sighed as she put an elbow up on the table and rested her chin in her hand as she flipped through her textbook.  She looked over at her cell phone when it started vibrating.  Her brow furrowed as she picked it up.  Normally she didn't answer calls from numbers she didn't recognize, but welcoming the distraction from her math homework, she put the phone to her ear.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Is this Aubrey?" A male voice asked.

"Yeah." She replied a bit distractedly as she continued flipping through the algebra book in front of her, still searching for the solution.

"Hey, how are you?" He asked. 

"I'm...good." Aubrey said the fact that she didn't know who she was talking to finally sinking in.  She finally looked away from her homework.

"It's been a while." He observed.

"Um, yeah." She replied, searching her mental files to place this guy's voice.  She was tempted to think that this guy thought she was someone else but he'd asked for her by name.  Who has my number?  She wondered. "How are you?" She asked, hoping his answer would give her some clue as to his identity.

"Better, now that I'm back." He said.

Back? She thought.  Back from what? Or where?  Aubrey's eyes went wide as she sucked in a breath and put a hand over her mouth.  Andrew?  She thought her eyes bouncing over to her grandmother sitting on the couch--thankful that she was still engrossed with the game on the television and hadn't taken notice of her startled response.   "Where..." she cleared her throat.  "Where did you go?"  She asked, praying his answer wouldn't be what she thought.  She hadn't mentally prepared herself to have this particular conversation quite yet.

"I went home for a few days and then I was in New York last weekend." He answered and Aubrey was confused.

"New York?" Aubrey questioned and the man she was talking to chuckled.  Did Andrew have family in New York?

"You...have no idea who I am, do you?" He asked.

Aubrey grimaced as he called her bluff.  "No." She finally replied, biting on her bottom lip.  "Sorry."

"It's Justin." He said, finally identifying himself.

"Justin?" Aubrey questioned.  Justin?  Justin who-Aubrey felt her eyes widen.  "Justin!" She exclaimed as understanding dawned.  

"Hi." He laughed.

"W-what...hi." She stuttered.

"Should we start over?" He asked and Aubrey felt her cheeks warm in embarrassment though he couldn't see her.

"Well, that does seem to be our tradition." She observed, her lips turning up in a smile.  They were both quiet for a second.  "What's up?" Aubrey asked, wondering why in the world he was actually calling her. 

"Well..." He drawled.  "I told you I'd call you the next time I went paint balling."

"Yeah?" Aubrey replied, remembering the reason he'd gotten her number in the first place.

"I'm going this weekend with a couple friends and we need one more to make the teams even.  Are you interested?"

"Um...sure." Aubrey said.  "But, I don't think you really want me to come."

"Why not?" He questioned.

"You don't really want a beginner on your team do you?" She asked.

"I wouldn't have called if I didn't want you to come." He replied.

Aubrey smiled, her heart skipping at his admission.  "I...I don't have any equipment." She reminded him.

"Oh, don't worry about that." He assured her. "I've got stuff you can borrow."

"Okay." Aubrey finally said.  "When and where?" She asked.

"Sunday." He told her.  "Can I pick you up about...nine?"

"Nine works." She said.  "I'll be ready."

"Good.  What's your address?" He asked.  She gave him the address and some simple instructions on how to get to her grandmother's house.  "Oh," he said before they hung up.  "Wear clothes you don't mind getting stained.  The paint is supposed to wash out, but it doesn't always."

"Thanks for the warning." Aubrey smiled. 

"You're welcome." He said.  "So I'll see you Sunday?"

"I'll be ready." She told him then hung up.  Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as a big smile spread across her face.  Justin Timberlake just called and invited me to go paint balling with him.  She thought, feeling very surreal about the whole thing.  An excited giggle escaped. 

"Who was that?"

Aubrey looked up as Grams came into the kitchen.  "Justi...oh, um...just this guy I met a few weeks ago."  She smiled.  "I gave him my number but...I didn't think he'd actually call me."

Grams smiled at her.  "It's about time.  I was beginning to wonder when the boys around here would start to take notice of you." She said and Aubrey smiled.  "I take it, from what I overheard, that you two are going out this weekend?"

"Mmm-hmm." Aubrey nodded, placing her cell phone back on the table and picking up her pencil again--the prospect of her math homework suddenly not seeming like such a chore.  "He's taking me paint balling."  She tried to finish her homework, but it was a lost cause.  Her mind refused to solve the equations in front of her.  Instead, she put her chin in her hand--a grin on her face--and daydreamed about the date she had with Justin Timberlake.

~~~~~~

"Here you go." Justin said, handing Aubrey the extra gloves and pads he'd brought for her.  She looked at the safety equipment in her hands and he had to bite back the chuckle that came.  She looked more than a little lost as he handed her a mask and she turned her hazel eyes back to him--watching as he put on his gear she mimicked him.  As he turned he saw Trace and Ryan through the window of the truck and smiled as he recalled the conversation he'd had with the two guys regarding Aubrey coming along.

Ryan had put up the biggest fuss about having "a girl" come with them and Justin laughed as he recalled his friend's reaction when he'd seen Aubrey this morning.  The guy had been completely tongue tied when Aubrey had gotten out of the car and had hurried over to introduce himself to her.  Justin chuckled.

"What's so funny?" Aubrey asked beside him.  He looked over at her and she looked at him expectantly as he smiled. 

"Nothing." He replied.  "I just...remembered something funny that happened the other day.  Are you ready?" He asked picking up the two guns he'd brought.  "Here's your gun." He said handing her the one he'd loaded this morning with green paint balls.  Her eyes left his and she looked down at the weapon in her hands as if she'd never seen a gun before--and judging by the sweet and wholesome vibe she gave out he'd be willing to bet she hadn't.  He closed up the back of his truck and put his keys into his pocket.  "Come on." He said, walking around the vehicle.  "There're a couple of targets set up for practicing over here." 

"You guys ready?" Trace called out as he and Ryan began walking towards them.

"In a minute.  I'm going to let Aubrey get in a few practice shots first." Justin replied as he used the strap attached to his gun to sling it over his shoulder then stepped up behind Aubrey.

~~~~~ 

Aubrey's heart jumped into her throat as Justin put his arms around her from behind.  Her eyes widened slightly and she fought to keep her breathing even.  She closed her eyes and concentrated for a moment on the way it felt to be this close to him.  She hadn't really been this close to a guy since she and Andrew had broken up.  She'd forgotten how nice it felt.

Quit being ridiculous. She scolded herself and opened her eyes as she straightened up slightly.  Still...there was no denying Justin was built well.  He was warm and solid and she felt completely surrounded and protected standing here within the circle of his embrace.  His firm chest pressing against her back, his strong arms around her, the way his hands moved over hers as he helped bring the gun up to rest against her shoulder...

"Like this." He said, his voice breaking through her ridiculous thoughts.  Concentrate.  She told herself.  You can do this.  But as he leaned closer to her-his warm breath caressing her neck--Aubrey felt her knees almost buckle.  "Use the sight at the end to line up with the target." He said, pointing his finger as he spoke.  "Then pull the trigger."

~~~~~

Justin remained standing behind Aubrey, his eyes running over her face and hair as she took a deep breath.  His lips turned up at the look of concentration on her face and couldn't help noticing how cute she looked all dressed up in his extra gear.   He pulled back slightly and let his eyes run down the back of her.  A lazy grin appeared on his face as he lifted an interested brow.  His perusal was interrupted however when Aubrey squeezed the trigger on her gun and he lifted his head as she shot the target.

"Like that?" She asked as the ball hit the bull's eye-splattering the target with neon green paint.

Justin stood in shock for a moment, his jaw falling open slightly.  "How did you..." He pointed at the target then shook his head.  Beginner's luck.  He thought.  "Yeah." He looked at her.  "Like that.  Why don't you try another one?"

"Okay." Aubrey shrugged and brought the gun back up to her shoulder.  She pulled the trigger once more and again Justin watched as she hit a perfect bull's eye.

"I thought you said you'd never done this before." He accused, putting his hands on his hips as he looked at her.

"I haven't." She replied, turning to face him.  "But I never said I didn't know how to shoot a gun." She finished, her eyes sparkling mischievously.  Justin narrowed his eyes as he looked at her.  "Remember how I moved around a lot growing up?" She asked.  He nodded and she leaned forward and whispered conspiratorially, "My dad's in the Army."  She winked.  Justin groaned then chuckled as understanding dawned.  Aubrey grinned.  "So is my brother." She continued.  "I know how to shoot a gun."

He felt tempted to feel foolish for assuming she had no idea what she was doing, but how was he supposed to know?  He laughed as he picked up his gun.  This is going to be fun.  He thought.  Trace and Ryan both though Aubrey was a beginner and were already celebrating an easy victory.  He couldn't wait to see the look on their faces when they found out about his secret weapon here.

"Let's go." He said and Aubrey followed him out onto the course.

~~~~~~

Forty-five minutes later-dirty, exhausted and almost out of ammunition--Aubrey ducked behind a large boulder and attempted to catch her breath.

"How you doing?"

She jerked up and swung her gun in the direction of the voice out of reflex. 

"Whoa."  Justin held up his hands in surrender, his blue eyes sparkling.  Aubrey sighed as she leaned back against the boulder and he chuckled.  She took off her mask as he did the same.

"How you holdin' up?" He asked.

"Good." She said looking down at the colorful spots decorating her once clean clothes.  She'd been hit a few times but none of them were what they'd deemed "fatal" as they'd set the rules at the beginning of the game.  "You?" She asked.

"Eh." He shrugged.  "I hit Ryan just now so he's out.  It's us against Trace."  He grinned.  "Think we can do it?"

"Absolutely." Aubrey grinned.  This morning had turned out to be a lot more enjoyable than she'd been expecting.  This game was fun and she felt bad about all the time she'd spent teasing Michael over it.  "Where's he hiding?" She asked turning to peak out from behind their hiding place.

"He's over behind that tree."  Justin's voice sounded quietly behind her ear and she fought the shiver that skirted down her spine.  She turned slightly to look back at him, the musky scent of his aftershave surrounding her.  His light blue eyes connected with hers and her stomach flipped.  "I'm going to try to get over to that log." He turned and pointed and Aubrey forced herself to concentrate on the task at hand.  Daydreaming about how good Justin smelled, or how his smile made his eyes sparkle, or the fact that they'd worked together as a perfect team today--almost reading each other's thoughts at times--wouldn't help them to win.  She needed to push her silly, girlish thoughts away and concentrate.

"Can you cover me?" He asked crouching down beside her as he pulled a handful of green paint balls from his pocket and dumped them into his gun's reservoir.  "Do you have enough?" He asked looking up at her when she didn't answer.

"Yeah." She replied, shaking her head to clear her thoughts.

"Alright." He said getting up.  He took a deep breath.  "Ready?"

"Ready." Aubrey replied turning back to keep her eyes on the spot Justin had said Trace was hiding.  "Go." She said.  She watched from the corner of her eye as he began running towards the log that was about ten yards away.  She was confused when there was no movement from Trace's spot, until she happened to turn and spotted him coming towards Justin from the opposite direction.

"Justin!" She called out, trying to get his attention, but he didn't hear her.  Trace kept moving towards him getting into position to ambush Justin so Aubrey--feeling the pressure to cover her teammate as she'd promised--stepped out of her hiding place and fired on Trace.  Justin quickly ducked behind the log he'd been inching towards as Trace fired back at her--his paint ball hitting her square on the chest and knocking the wind out of her a bit.

Aubrey fell back and lay on the ground--per the rules they'd established--to signify her removal from the game as Justin and Trace continued firing at each other.  Finally the course fell silent.  Aubrey lifted her head slightly to see who had won.  Justin's face appeared above her as he came and knelt down beside her.  Aubrey lay back down in the grass.

"Xena.  Speak to me." He said dramatically as he put his hand on her shoulder.

"Xena?" She asked with a confused chuckle as she squinted up at him.

"You're my Warrior Princess." He told her with a grin and a wink.

Aubrey laughed.  "Who won?"

"We did." He replied extending his hand and helping her to stand.  "You saved my life."  He continued soberly.  "I didn't see Trace coming.  The way you stepped out there and put yourself right into the line of fire for me..." he trailed off as he sniffed and made a show of wiping away his imaginary tears.  "It was so brave." He put his hand over his mouth as if trying to hold in his emotion.

Aubrey laughed even more at his theatrics.  "I was just doing my job." She said.  "You told me to cover you and I tried."

"Girl you can cover me anytime you want." He replied suggestively, wiggling his eyebrows at her.  She rolled her eyes as she reached out and pushed his shoulder playfully.  Justin smiled as they began walking across the field to where Trace and Ryan stood. 

"You did good for your first time." He told her.

"Yeah?" She smiled proudly.

"Yeah." He nodded.

"It was fun." She admitted.  "I can see now why my brother was so into this game.  It's very..." She pursed her lips, searching for the right word.  "Empowering." She finally said.

"See." He laughed.  "What'd I tell you?  You're Xena."  Aubrey chuckled.  "I'm going to get you a shirt that says that for next time." He told her. 

"Okay." Aubrey smiled, liking the way he referenced "next time."

"Would you wear it?" Justin asked, looking over at her.

"Absolutely." She assured him with a nod. 

"I'm going to hold you to that." He said, pointing a finger at her.  Aubrey smiled.

"You guys want to play again?" Trace asked as Justin and Aubrey came up to him and Ryan. 

"Nah." Justin shook his head.  "Unless you want to." He said turning to look at Aubrey.

"Whatever." Aubrey shrugged.  "But I'm almost out of paint balls." She shook her gun.

"Well, that settles it." Justin said.  "Cuz I don't have anymore with me."

"We're going to stay for a little longer." Trace said.

"Okay.  I'll catch you guys later?" Justin asked Trace and Ryan.

"Yeah." Both of the other guys said.  "See ya."

Aubrey walked with Justin back to where his Escalade was parked.  "You up for some lunch?" Justin asked, rubbing a hand across his stomach.  "I'm starving."

Aubrey looked down at herself.  "Um...sure.  As long as you don't mind being seen with me when I look like this."

"Have you looked at me?" Justin asked, gesturing to his own paint covered clothing and Aubrey chuckled.  "I'm not really worried about how you look at the moment."

She smiled.  "Lunch sounds great."

~~~~~~  

"The burgers are great here." Justin raved twenty minutes later as he and Aubrey slid into a booth at the diner he sometimes went to when he went out paint balling. 

"Yeah?" Aubrey asked, tucking some of the hair that had escaped her ponytail behind her ears.  She picked up one of the menus that were folded up on the edge of the table and began looking at it. 

"Mmm-hmm." Justin nodded then remembered he wasn't out with Trace and Ryan like he usually was.  "Um, their salads are good too." He offered.  Girls liked salads, right?  That seemed to be the entrée of choice on a first date.  Date?  He questioned himself.  This isn't a date.

"Um..." Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, pulling him from his distracting thoughts then looked up at him as she folded up the menu.  "I think I want the bacon cheeseburger." She told him. 

Justin's eyes widened in admiration.  That was twice today he'd assumed something about this girl and twice today that's she'd surprised him with how she'd reacted to a situation.

"Is that okay?" She asked, looking at him in question.

"Yeah." He shook his head as he folded his arms and leaned over the table towards her.  "Get whatever you want." He smiled.  "You are a warrior princess after all.  I should have known you wouldn't settle for just a salad."  Aubrey smiled then looked down at the table.  He watched as her cheeks pinked slightly.  They gave the waitress their orders when she arrived then fell silent.

"So," Aubrey looked up at him.  "Why were you in New York last weekend?" She asked.

"I was helping to audition some dancers." He replied.

"Dancers?" She asked.  "For what?"

"Um...JC, you know JC?" He asked and she nodded.  "He's getting ready to go out on tour.  The auditions were for that."

"Why were you there if it was for JC's tour?" She asked, her golden green eyes belaying her confusion.

"Because I'm his friend and because...it's my record label that's producing his album." He told her.

"Your record label?" Aubrey asked, one eyebrow rising as he nodded.  "You have your own record label?"

"Yeah." He nodded then chuckled.  "Is that against the law or something?"

"No." She laughed.  "I just..." she paused for a second.  "What else do you do?" She asked in interest.

"Well, Trace and I have our clothing line and--"

"Clothing line?" Aubrey questioned, both eye brows rising this time. 

"Yeah." He nodded as he took a sip of his Coke.  "And there's the restaurant."

"Restaurant?!" She exclaimed.  "Wait, let me get this straight." She held up her hands then began ticking items off on her fingers.  "You're a world famous singer who still has songs on the charts, you own a record label of which you are an active participant, you've got a clothing line, you've been in several movies, you host golf tournaments and award shows, and you own a restaurant?"

Justin thought for a moment then nodded.  "Yep.  That sounds about right." 

"How in the world do you have time to do all of that and find time to breathe much less go paint balling on the weekend?" She asked.

"ADD." He replied with a succinct nod and Aubrey laughed.  "I like staying busy." He conceded with a chuckle.  "I don't like--"

"Here you go." Their waitress said placing both their burgers in front of them. 

"Thank you." Aubrey and Justin said in unison.

"You're welcome." The girl smiled.  "Let me know if there's anything else you need." She said.

"Will do." Justin said picking up the glass bottle of ketchup that was sitting on the table and twisted off the lid.  He turned it over on top of his French fries and began thumping the heel of his hand against the bottom of the bottle.  "Why...doesn't...the ketchup...ever--" he stopped as half of the bottle of ketchup dumped out on his plate.  "Come out?" He finished as Aubrey started giggling.  "You think that's funny?" He asked looking up at her.  She nodded as she continued giggling.  He reached across and stole a handful of her fries.  "How ‘bout that?" He asked.

"Be my guest." She replied turning her plate so the fries were more accessible to him.  "I don't need ‘em." She said as she took a bite of her burger.

"What don't you like?" Aubrey asked.

"What?" He questioned, not sure as to what she was referencing.

"Before she brought the food over you were going to tell me about something you don't like." She said, placing a French fry in her mouth.

"Oh." He replied.  "I don't like being bored.  It drives me nuts."

"Doing everything that you do would drive me nuts." She said with a smile.  "Don't you ever just want to sit at home and do nothing?"

"Sometimes I think about it." He admitted.  "But that usually doesn't last very long and then I find something to do.  What about you?" Justin asked, picking up his own cheeseburger.  "Besides being a receptionist and going to school, what do you like to do?  It's your turn to fill me in on how you spend your time."

~~~~~ 

Aubrey looked at Justin in surprise.  He remembers what we talked about last month? She thought, mentally awarding him some major brownie points.  He had really been listening to her that day at Red Mango.  She smiled.  "Lots of things."  She replied vaguely.  "It all depends on my mood.  I'm not as busy as you are, obviously, but I always find something to fill up the time."

"Like what?" He questioned.  "Give me an example." He reached out and took a couple more of her fries and put them in his mouth.  "If I hadn't asked you to come with me this morning what would you have done instead?"

Aubrey thought for a moment.  "I don't know." She chuckled self-consciously.

"Do you wrangle cats?" He asked and she looked at him in confusion.

"No!" She exclaimed with a laugh.

"Do you collect stamps?  Are you into underwater basket weaving?  What makes you, you?" He asked, his blue eyes conveying his genuine interest.

"Um..."  She paused, her brow furrowing as she thought.  How could she make her boring life sound more interesting?  "I swim."  She offered.

"Swim?" He asked, his blue eyes watching her intently.  "Competitively or just for fun?"

"It's just for fun now." She replied.

"Explain." He requested.

"Um...I was on the swim team in high school." She said.  "There's really not a whole lot to explain.  We won a few matches and I got a few medals."

"Are you still on a team?"

"No." She shook her head.

"Why not?" He questioned.

"I don't know." She shrugged.  "It was something I did in high school, but it wasn't ever something I wanted to do forever." 

"Does your grandmother have a pool?" He asked.

"No." Aubrey replied.  "I usually go over to the community center on Saturday mornings and do some laps."  Justin looked at her, the corners of his lips turning up in a smile.  "What?" She asked.

"Nothing." He shook his head.  "You're just...you're a very surprising girl, Aubrey." He told her.  "You're nothing like I thought you'd be when we first met."

"Are you referring to when your dogs decided to attack me at the park or when I was smashing my brownie all over you?" She offered with a grin and he chuckled.  "What did you think I was going to be like?" She asked, curious.

"Like other girls I've met." He replied honestly.  "I was preparing myself to have to deal with someone who was either crazy and psychotic or fake and patronizing."

"Why'd you call and want me to come today if that's what you thought I was going to be like?" She asked.

He hung his head and looked down at the table for a moment then looked back up at her.  "Because," he cleared his throat nervously, but Aubrey kept her eyes on him.  "I guess I was hoping you were different." He smiled shyly at her.  Aubrey smiled back and decided to let him in on a little secret.

"Would it shock you if I told you I didn't own any of your albums?" She asked him and he raised a skeptical brow.

"A little." He replied.  "None of them?" He questioned and she shook her head.  "Not even an N SYNC album?"   

"Nope." She shook her head.  "You can check my CD collection if you don't believe me." She continued as she took another bite.

~~~~~

Justin looked at her for a moment.  "No, I...I believe you." He said and he did.  There was no way to hide the innocent sincerity shining in her eyes.  "None of them?" He asked again and again she shook her head.  "What kind of music do you listen to?"

"Country usually." She replied.  "I love Rascal Flatts."  She smiled at him and he found himself relaxing in a way he hadn't been able to do in a long time.  For some reason Aubrey put him completely at ease and made him feel like he could just be himself--something he'd been conditioned against doing over the years.  He sighed as he leaned back against the booth.

"Tell me about this restaurant you own." Aubrey said, bringing him out of his thoughts and turning the conversation back to him. "Is it as good as this place?" She asked, once more taking a bite of her burger.

"Better." He replied with an arrogant grin.

She made an interested noise.  "What kind of a restaurant is it?" She asked.  Justin smiled and began telling her about Southern Hospitality--with its relaxed, welcoming atmosphere to the down home country cooking with recipes from his own family and traditional Memphis style BBQ--and how he and Trace had decided to go into business and open the restaurant.

"Where is it?" Aubrey asked.  "It sounds like I'm going to have to give this place a try."  She grinned.

"You should." He nodded.  "The next time you're in New York."

"Oh." She replied and he watched as she slouched down slightly. 

"But don't worry." He said.  "You let me know when you're going and I'll hook you up." He winked.

"Promise?" She asked with a grin.

"Promise." He replied.  "You'll get the VIP treatment.  I take care of my own, don't you worry."  Aubrey laughed and he smiled.  He liked making her laugh.    

"Can I ask you a personal question?" He asked.

"Sure." She replied.  "But I'm not promising I'll answer."

"Fair enough." He nodded-heaven knew he had things in his life he wasn't comfortable sharing with just anyone.  "Do you have a boyfriend?"

Aubrey's eyebrows lifted slightly.  "Why?" She questioned.

"Just curious." He replied.  "I just wanted to know if there was some big guy I was going to have to worry about coming after me for spending so much time with you today."

She smiled.  "No." She replied.

"No you don't have a boyfriend, or no I don't have to worry about him coming after me?" He questioned.

"No I don't have a boyfriend." She told him.  "And even if I did I don't think you'd have to worry.  We really haven't spent all that much time together." 

"Not yet." He replied and she smiled.  He watched, a bit surprised at the words that had just come out of his mouth, as her cheeks turned pink and she looked down at the table.  "You done?" He asked before either one of them could think too hard about what he'd just said and the possible meaning behind them.

"Yeah." She nodded, looking back up at him.

"You ready to go?" He asked and again she nodded.  Justin stood, pulling his wallet from his back pocket and took out some cash.  He put more than enough to cover their tab on the table and followed Aubrey out the front door--the restless anxiety that had been filling him the last few weeks all but a memory.  He'd felt more relaxed and at ease this morning than he had in a long time.  He wasn't sure if it was just time passing as his mother had suggested would be the case or Aubrey's pleasant company over the last few hours.  Whatever it was he was thankful for it. 

"Thanks." She said as he opened the passenger side door for her and helped her up into the truck.

"You're welcome." He smiled then walked around the front of the Escalade and got in. 

"Can I ask you a personal question?" Aubrey asked as he put the truck in gear and pulled out onto the main road.

"Sure." He said.  After all, it was only fair-he'd asked her a personal question.  Still, he braced himself, not quite sure what her question was going to be about.  He prepared himself to have her dredge up something from his past. 

"I realize this is probably not something I should ask right now--since we've known each other a grand total of about five hours--but...do you think you'll ever one day settle down and get married?" 

Justin looked over at her in surprise then turned back to the road.  "Uh..." He cleared his throat.

"I was just wondering," She continued when he hesitated.  "Because you seem to have all these high profile relationships that go on forever but never really go anywhere and then you're moving on to someone else.  Are you planning on it being like that the rest of your life?  Are you going to be like George Clooney and date forever or are you going to be like Patrick Dempsey and get married and have a couple kids?"

"Wow." Justin responded.  "Um..." He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand as he chuckled nervously.

"Sorry." Aubrey apologized.  "I didn't mean to put you on the spot like that."

"No, it's okay." He replied, looking over at her again.  "It's just...that wasn't really what I was expecting you to ask me, that's all.  You kind of took me by surprise--again."

"What did you think I was going to ask?" She questioned.

"I don't know." He shrugged.  Britney.  He thought.  No matter where he went or what he did in life that seemed to be all that people wanted to know about.  "People usually want to know about things I've done in the past--girls I've dated, being a part of N SYNC, things like that.  They're not really interested in my future." He told her.  She just looked at him, her eyes curious as they watched him.  "Sure." He replied, feeling his cheeks warm slightly.  What the hell is wrong with me? He wondered.  "I'd like to get married one day and maybe have a couple of kids," he continued. "But it's hard." He took a deep breath.  "I've been in this business-show business-for so long...it's hard to know when people are being real and honest, you know?" He glanced over at her and she nodded.  "And marriage is about as real as it gets.  Without honesty..." he shook his head.  "What's the point?"  Aubrey looked at him, her brows furrowed slightly-a look of confusion across her face.  "What's that look for?" He asked, his eyes bouncing back and forth between her and the road.

"I just...really?" She asked.  "You want to have kids?"

He was quiet for a moment, feeling suspiciously like a bear caught in a trap.  "Uh..." He stammered.  "Well...I said maybe."

Aubrey laughed at his embarrassment and nervousness.  "I'm going to let you in on a little secret, Justin." She said as she leaned towards him slightly.  "If you want someone that's real and honest you've got be willing to be the same."

Justin looked over at her as he came to a stop at a red light, at a loss as to what to say in response to that.  She smiled then turned to look out her window, leaving him to turn his attention back to the road.  How was it this girl was able to see through him so quickly?  They'd only known each other really for a couple of hours as she'd pointed out a few minutes ago.  But somehow she'd been able to call his bluff and give him a lot to think about.  Maybe Rachel was right.  He thought as he looked over at Aubrey again.  Maybe he did need someone like Aubrey in his life right now; someone who was real and honest and wouldn't put up with his crap. 

But how in the world do I find a girl like that?    

End Notes:
Are you happy now?  He finally called her!  :)
Chapter 6 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Happy Valentine's Day!

"Good morning."

Aubrey looked up from her computer Monday morning and smiled at Rachel.  "Morning." She said.

"Did you have a good weekend?" Rachel inquired.

"Yes, I did." Aubrey grinned-the high from her day with Justin still with her.  Every time she thought about it a huge grin appeared on her face and it wasn't because she could say that Justin Timberlake had wanted to spend time with her.  He had accused her several times of being surprising but he was the one who kept pulling cards out of his sleeves.  For someone as high profile as he was and had been in the spotlight the majority of his life he was surprisingly down to earth and...normal

Yesterday she'd all but forgotten she was out spending time with a world famous musician whose face and voice were instantly recognized by millions.  When they'd been paint balling--and especially when they'd been at lunch--he'd been a regular twenty-something guy just out having fun. 

"That's a pretty big grin you got goin' on, girl." Rachel observed, drawing Aubrey out of her thoughts and back to the present.  "What did you do this weekend?" She prodded as she narrowed her eyes in suspicion.

"I went out with Justin." Aubrey told her.

"Really?" Rachel's eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"Mmm-hmm." Aubrey nodded.

"What did you guys do?" Rachel asked excitedly.

"We went paint balling."

Rachel was quiet for a split second.  "I'm sorry, what?" She questioned her face the picture of confusion.  "Paint balling?" Rachel leaned against the top of the reception desk.

Aubrey chuckled.  "It was something we talked about at Red Mango.  He asked for my number and said he would call the next time he went.  He picked me up yesterday and we spent the morning playing a game."

"Was it just the two of you?" Rachel asked.

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "It was me and Justin and then Trace and, um..." she faltered, searching for the other guy's name.  "Ryan." She said when it came to her.

"Hmmm." Rachel hummed.

"What?" Aubrey asked, confused at Rachel's response.  Hadn't she been the one who'd told her Justin had talked about their meeting at Red Mango?  Aubrey had been fine thinking that that would be the extent of her contact with the man--until Rachel kept throwing out hints that Justin was possibly interested in her.

"Nothing." Rachel replied.  "It's just...I didn't know he paint balled.  Is that all you did?"

"We went out to eat afterwards." Aubrey answered.

"The four of you?"

"No.  Just Justin and I." Aubrey said.

"Huh." Rachel replied.  "Well good." She smiled. 

"Yeah?" Aubrey asked, feeling a sense of relief.  She'd been more than a little confused at Rachel's line of questioning but now that it seemed she was okay with the encounter, Aubrey allowed herself to once more feel the giddy excitement that had filled her since Justin had dropped her off yesterday afternoon.

"Yeah." Rachel nodded as she straightened up and pushed away from the desk.  "You better keep me informed if anything else happens between you two."

"I will." Aubrey felt her cheeks warm slightly. 

"‘Kay." Rachel said with a grin as she started walking back towards her desk.  "You know where to find me."

~~~~~~

"So..." Rachel said as she plopped down next to Justin on his couch Thursday evening.  JC had been over all day working with Justin on a couple songs they were toying around with.  Rachel had come over after work--a couple bags of Chinese take-out in her hands--and the three of them now sat, the guys watching a game on ESPN.

"So...what?" Justin asked, looking over at Rachel as he put the bottle in his hands to his lips.  Taking a swig of his beer he looked down at his leg as Rachel put her hand there.  Rachel looked at him--a grin that would rival the Cheshire cat on her face.  "What?" He asked again with a confused chuckle.

"I talked to Aubrey on Monday." She said.

"Congratulations." Justin offered dryly.  Rachel pushed him playfully. 

"Brat." She laughed.  "She told me about how you took her paint balling last weekend."

"Oh." Justin replied.  He turned his attention back to the television--trying to act casual so Rachel wouldn't get it into her head to make more out of this than there was.  Not that anything would stop her. He thought with a roll of his eyes.  He could see that determined look in her eyes.  If there was one thing he'd learned about JC's girlfriend over the six months he'd known her it was that once Rachel got an idea into her head, there was no stopping her until she'd achieved her goal.  For instance: the dance try-outs he'd snuck her into a couple weeks ago.  She'd decided that, despite her injury from years ago, she was going to try-out for JC's tour and had called him up, asking for his help.  She's told him she wanted to prove that she could still dance so he'd done what he could to get her in without JC seeing.  What he couldn't understand was why she'd gone to all the trouble of sneaking in and trying out to then turn around and turn down the offer she'd been given by the tour manager.

"‘Oh'?" She asked, clearly not satisfied with his response.  She folded her arms across her chest as she raised one eyebrow.  "That's all you've got to say?"

"I'm sorry." He replied, beginning to feel irritated.  "What did you want me to say?" Justin saw JC look over at him and Rachel--the other guy watching them cautiously.  Why was everyone so concerned about him all the sudden?  And why was this affecting him so much?  Yes, he's spent some time with Aubrey last weekend.  What was the big deal?  Couldn't he spend time with a girl without everyone automatically assuming he was hooking up with her?

"I was just wondering how it went." Rachel continued on as if his irritation didn't phase her one bit.

"It was fun." Justin replied non-commitally with a shrug as he took another swig of his beer.  Rachel was quite for a moment and he thought maybe he'd get lucky and she would decide to drop this whole line of questioning. 

"She's cute, huh?" Rachel asked with a grin and he groaned.  No such luck. He thought.  He turned to look at her, intent on telling her to just butt the hell out of his life but before he could open his mouth she continued.  "I told you she would be good for you." She said, a smug smile on her face.

"Rachel--" He sighed.

"Rach." JC cut him off.

"Yeah?" She asked turning to look at her boyfriend.

"Come here." He said scooting over on the couch he was sitting on.  He crooked a finger at her then patted the seat next to him.  Rachel looked back at Justin for a second then stood and walked the few feet to where JC was.  Justin shot JC a look of gratitude and JC smiled at him briefly then turned his attention to his girlfriend--pulling her down next to him and effectively distracting her by whispering something in her ear and tucking her beneath his arm.

Justin laid his head back against the couch cushions and took a deep breath.  With a sigh he let his thoughts wander.  Was Aubrey cute?  Sure.  No question.  Did he have fun when he was with her?  Yes.  She was fun and so...real.  She was the first person--besides the guys from N SYNC--that he'd met in a long time that he felt completely comfortable with.  Was he in love with the girl?  Absolutely not! 

He sat up.  With that thought firmly planted in his mind Justin finally pushed all irritation with Rachel and her meddling ways aside.  He looked over at his two friends and smiled.  He knew Rachel only had his best interests at heart; she'd proven that over the last few months since his break-up with Jessica.  He just had to find a way to convince her that he was an adult and could make his own decisions on who he wanted to date.  He was a big boy and could take care of himself.       

~~~~~~

Aubrey took a deep breath as she stepped to the edge of the concrete, her toes curling around the edge.  Raising her arms above her head she jumped--her body slicing through the warm water as she began swimming the length of the pool.  She took a deep breath as her head came above the water and settled into a steady and familiar rhythm, her body expertly performing the movements she'd spent years training to perfect. 

She loved coming here early in the morning--right when the center opened and before all the kids arrived with their parents.  As she moved from one end of the pool to the other she couldn't help remembering the many meets and competitions she'd participated in when she was in high school.  Swimming had been her niche--the thing that made being the new girl in school more bearable. 

Once it had been discovered that swimming came as naturally to her as breathing, she'd been put on the school's team and started a winning streak for her high school that still held the record.  She could remember the sense of accomplishment and pride that filled her as she had finally found something that she was good at.  Everyone had assumed she'd go on to get a scholarship somewhere and maybe even eventually end up on an Olympic team one day, and they hadn't understood when she'd turn down the offers she'd gotten.  But that hadn't been the path Aubrey had wanted to take with her life.  She'd never wanted to be a professional athlete.  She knew that the glory would be short lived and then she'd have the rest of her life to fill.  She wanted to do something that would make an impact on someone's life and actually mean something in the grand scheme of things.  Yet there was still a small part of her that wondered just how far she could have gone had life not thrown her such a fast curve ball a few years ago.

Aubrey stopped as she came to the edge of the pool.  Putting her arms up on the concrete she wiped the water from her eyes, looking up as a bare pair of feet stopped right in front of her.

"When you gonna try out for the Olympics?"

"Hey, Kevin." Aubrey smiled as she looked up.  She moved over as the lifeguard sat down next to her, dangling his legs into the water. 

"How are you?" He asked.

"Pretty good." Aubrey replied. 

"Just pretty good?" He inquired, his friendly brown eyes sparkling.

"Oh, you know," She shrugged, looking back down at the water.  "Work and school are keeping me pretty busy, but life is good.  How about you?" She asked, looking up at him.  "I haven't seen you in a while."

"I've been here." Kevin said, splashing his feet in the water next to her.  "You're the one who hasn't been coming to see me." He tried to look hurt but Aubrey laughed.

"Sorry."  She apologized with a grin.  "I had a ton of homework on Saturday and I went out on Sunday with this guy I met a few weeks ago."

"Wha--?" Kevin pulled back and looked at her.  "Girl, you been holdin' out on me?  How many times have I asked you out and you always tell me no?"

"You've never asked me out." She laughed.  "And besides, I don't want to date a lifeguard." She teased him.

"And what does this guy do that makes him so much better than me?" Kevin inquired.

"He's a..." Aubrey paused.  "Well, he's...I guess you could say he's a business man." She finally answered vaguely.  That's one way to describe Justin. She thought.  And she didn't want to say anything that would give away his identity just yet.  Although she barely knew him, she figured she owed him the courtesy of not blabbing all over that they'd gone out together.  Heaven knew if she were in his position she would appreciate whoever it was not making a huge deal of it and dragging everybody in the whole world into it.

"What kind of business man?" Kevin asked, his eyes narrowing as he looked at her.  Aubrey tried to act casual as she pushed back from the wall slightly. 

"He's got a couple different ventures he's a part of." She replied.  "He's one of those guys who has his fingers in several different pies at the same time, you know?"

"And how did you meet?" Kevin asked.

"What are you?" Aubrey asked.  "My brother?"

He laughed.  "I'm just trying to look out for you." He said.  "You know you're my girl."

Aubrey smiled.  Since she'd moved to California and started coming to the community center every Saturday to swim, she'd become familiar with the lifeguards that were always on duty, but Kevin was her favorite.  They really had nothing in common, besides their mutual love of the water, but for some reason they'd hit it off and had begun a casual friendship.

"You don't have to worry about me, Kevin." She said.  "I'm a big girl.  I can take care of myself."

"I know." He replied.

"Hey, Kev!"

They both turned as one of the other lifeguards called over to him.

"Yeah?" Kevin called back.

"Phone's for you." The blonde said then ducked back into the small office area.

"Gotta go." He said, standing.

"See ya." Aubrey replied as he began walking away.  "Hey, Kevin?" She called out.

"Yeah?" He turned back around.

"Is that teaching position still available?" She asked.

"Yeah." He smiled.  "You interested?"

"Maybe." Aubrey replied.  She'd noticed the posting for the swim lesson coach a few weeks ago and had been thinking about applying.

"You want me to put in a good word for you with Zack?" He asked in reference to the Director of the Aquatics Center.

Aubrey paused for a moment then, with a deep breath, nodded her head.  "Yeah." She said.

"You got it." Kevin said, then turned and continued walking towards the office.  Aubrey turned and pushed off the wall.  After one more lap up and down the pool she got out.  After slipping her feet into her rubber flip flops, she ran her towel over her wet hair then wrapped the blue material around her waist and headed back towards the locker room.  A sense of excitement filled her at the prospect of possibly teaching here soon.  She wouldn't be able to do it full-time, what with school and her regular job she already had, but hopefully it was something she'd be able to do on the weekends; something to help build her resume up and give her something fun to do in her spare time. 

Aubrey grabbed her bag and left, deciding to just shower when she got home.  As she walked past the office she waved back as Kevin waved at her and smiled as she walked out to her car. 

~~~~~~

"Thanks for coming with me." Rachel said as she and Aubrey got out of her car the next Saturday.  

"No problem." Aubrey replied with a smile.  Rachel had called her the night before wondering if Aubrey wanted to go shopping with her the next day.  JC was out of town again doing some promotion for his album and Rachel was feeling lonely. 

"You caught me on my last remaining free Saturday." Aubrey said.

"Oh yeah?" Rachel asked as the girls walked towards the outdoor mall they'd parked at.  "What are you going to be doing now on Saturdays?"

"I just got a job as a swim instructor at the Aquatic Center by my grandma's house." Aubrey replied proudly.  After talking with Kevin last Sunday, she'd gotten a call the next day and had gone in for an interview.  After talking with Zack, the director, for about an hour he'd offered her the position teaching one of the beginner classes. 

"I didn't know you were a swimmer." Rachel exclaimed.  Aubrey smiled.  "That's exciting!"

"Yeah, I'm really excited about it." Aubrey replied as they walked into the first store.  "It's going to be kind of crazy busy for a while, working two jobs and taking my classes, but it'll be fun."

"What classes are you taking right now?" Rachel asked as she began going through the clothes on the racks in front of them.

"Generals mostly." Aubrey replied.  "Math and English.  I'm taking a Psychology class next semester which should be interesting."

Rachel looked up at her.  "If you don't mind my asking," Rachel began.  "Why are you still just taking general classes?  Did you change degree programs or something?"

"No." Aubrey looked down at the rack of shirts in front of her.  "I'm just...taking it a little slower than usual." She continued going through the shirts, hoping to appear casual.  "I didn't start school right after I graduated high school for a couple different reasons and I'm trying to do it without having to take out any student loans."

"That's awesome." Rachel replied.  "I wish I could say I didn't have any student loans."

Aubrey breathed a sigh of relief as the other girl didn't seem intent on dwelling on the subject.  Aubrey always felt a little uncomfortable whenever someone asked why she was twenty-one and still in her first year of college.  It wasn't that she didn't wish she were father along than she was, but with the medical bills that had started piling up her senior year of high school and then the surgery she'd had to have...Aubrey squared her shoulders as she took a deep breath.  There's no sense in dwelling on the past.  She reminded herself.  What's done is done.  All she could do was move forward and try to have a positive attitude about things.

"What do you think of this?" Rachel asked, holding up a sleeveless black dress with a long flowy skirt.

"I like it." Aubrey smiled. 

"Good." Rachel said, holding out to her.  "Go try it on."

"What?" Aubrey laughed.  "No." She shook her head.  "I can't afford anything in here.  I'm just window shopping."

"I didn't say you had to buy it." Rachel said, still holding out the dress to her.  "I just said you should try it on."  Aubrey hesitated.  "Come on." Rachel prodded.  "What fun is shopping unless you try some stuff on?  I can't afford anything in this store either."

"That's a lie." Aubrey replied with a roll of her eyes.  "You forget I know who you're living with."

Rachel laughed.  "Just try the damn dress on."

"Fine." Aubrey said as she took the article of clothing from her. 

Rachel smiled triumphantly.  "Good.  And, I'm going to try this one on." She said, picking out a dark blue halter-top dress with an empire waist. 

"That's a pretty color." Aubrey remarked. 

"It is, huh?" Rachel asked.  "I've always liked this color." She smiled almost dreamily and Aubrey wondered what she was thinking.  She was about to ask when Rachel seemed to snap out of her thoughts and smiled at Aubrey.  "Let's keep looking." She said.  "I love this store.  You never know what you're going to find here."

Forty minutes later Aubrey stood in front of the mirror in her dressing room, silently cursing the fact that she was a part-time student living on a receptionist's paycheck.  She turned and looked at herself from the back.  The black dress Rachel had picked out for her when they'd first arrived fit her perfectly and Aubrey had never felt more sexy and feminine than she did looking at her reflection.  The halter top tied behind her neck and the neckline plunged daringly.  She twirled slightly, watching as the layered skit fell back into place-a slit revealing most of her right leg up to her knee.

For once in her adult life she wasn't cursing the fact that she had hips--or a chest.  The dress seemed to have been made specifically for her, only magnifying the positive aspects of her body and she wished she could justify spending the exorbitant amount of money she was sure it cost.  She reached up and pulled her hair from the clip she'd had it in, watching as the loose curls framed her face and brushed her shoulders alluringly.  She turned and looked over her shoulder, batting her eyes at her reflection then laughed at herself.

Who am I kidding? She asked, pulling her hair back up.  If there's one thing I'm not, it's sexy.

"I want to see!" Rachel called out excitedly and Aubrey sighed.  She unlocked her fitting room door and stepped out, watching as Rachel's face lit up.  "You look gorgeous!" She exclaimed.  "I knew it would look good on you!  Turn around."

Aubrey did as she requested then sighed.  "It does look good." She admitted.  "Too bad, I can't afford it." She continued.  Rachel stepped closer to her and picked up the price tag hanging from the back of the dress. 

"It's on sale." Rachel said.  "It's only sixty dollars." She stepped back again and put her hands on her hips.  "You can afford sixty dollars, right?"

"Uh, yeah, no." Aubrey scoffed.  "Sixty dollars may not be much to you now a days, but that's about a tank and a half of gas in my SUV and right now that's a little higher on the priority list than a dress that would just hang in my closet because I have absolutely nowhere to wear it."

"You never know." Rachel countered.  "Every girl should have a sexy black dress--just in case." She smiled.  "I can loan you the money and you can pay me back a little each month." She offered. 

"No." Aubrey said, though Rachel's offer was tempting--too tempting.  Pulling her bottom lip between her teeth she looked at herself in the full length mirror outside the dressing rooms.  She studied her reflection.  The dress did look amazing on her and made her feel amazing. 

"You could wear it the next time you go clubbing." Rachel whispered.

Aubrey smiled as she rolled her eyes.   "Okay, okay." She said with a sigh and Rachel perked up in excitement.  She took a deep breath.  "I'll get it."

"Yea!" Rachel clapped her hands together.  "Now, go change.  We need to go find you a pair of shoes to go with it."

"I knew coming shopping with you today was a bad idea." Aubrey teased and Rachel laughed.  "You're evil, you know that?" She asked.

"I know but you'll thank me later." Rachel promised.  "Trust me."

Aubrey shook her head as she stepped back into the dressing room.  She put her shoulders back and stood up straight--looking at her reflection once more before slipping out of the dress.  It wasn't often that she splurged and bought something so extravagant.  It was kind of exhilarating, buying something so frivolous.  She just hoped that she'd find an excuse to wear it before it hung in her closet for too long and she regretted buying it.

~~~~~~

An hour later, after walking out of the last of the stores they wanted to go into, the girls headed over to where a couple restaurants were clustered together--trying to decide what to have for lunch.

"Ooh!" Rachel suddenly got really excited and Aubrey looked over at her in question.  "This is the Pussycat Dolls!" She exclaimed over the song that was currently playing on the outdoor sound system.

"The who?" Aubrey asked, looking at her in confusion.

"The Pussycat Dolls." Rachel replied, looking at her strangely.  "You know, ‘When I grow up, I wanna be famous...'" She did a few dance moves as she sang the lines to a song that Aubrey had never heard before. 

"I don't know who that is." Aubrey replied, looking at Rachel blankly.

"You're kidding me, right?" Rachel said, coming to a stop in the middle of the courtyard.  Aubrey shook her head, suddenly feeling the age gap between herself and Rachel.  When they were at work and when they had hung out before it was easy to forget that Rachel wasn't her same age.  "Who doesn't know who the Pussycat Dolls are?" Rachel inquired.  Aubrey raised her hand and grimaced.  Rachel laughed.  "Seriously?" She asked.

"Seriously." Aubrey replied.  "Sorry."

"It's okay." Rachel shook her head with an amused chuckle.  "It's just...you are so innocent sometimes."

"Is that a...bad thing?" Aubrey asked.

"No." Rachel insisted.  "It's not a bad thing.  Truth be told I wish I were still as innocent as you."

"You make it sound like I'm a little kid, Rachel." Aubrey replied with an embarrassed laugh.  "I'm not as sheltered and innocent as you might think.  I am twenty-one." She said in defense.

"Phff..." Rachel scoffed and Aubrey tried not to take offence to her reaction.  "I'm sorry." Rachel said, putting her hand on Aubrey's arm.  "I didn't mean to offend you.  I was just surprised is all." She smiled.  "I forget sometimes that not everyone listens to or likes the same kind of music that I do."

Aubrey smiled to show she hadn't taken offense to anything Rachel had said.  "Where do you want to eat?" She asked, changing the subject.

"There's a great little Italian place here." Rachel said, following Aubrey's lead and dropping the conversation.

"I love Italian." Aubrey smiled.

"Me too." Rachel replied.  "Come on."

"How come," Aubrey questioned as she followed behind Rachel.  "You're the one who wanted to go shopping today but I'm the only one who's spent any money?"

Rachel laughed and shrugged.  "Sometimes that's just how it happens.  But the day's not over.  I'm sure I'll find something I can't live without by the time we leave."  She smiled.

Aubrey shook her head as they continued walking.  After deciding to be impetuous and buy the black dress in the first store they'd gone too it had been a slippery slope downhill from there.  She and Rachel had gone into a few different shoe stores and had finally found the perfect pair of slinky black stilettos to go with the dress.  Then they had found a beautiful silver necklace with a heart shaped pendant in another boutique.  Aubrey smiled.  She felt like a walking MasterCard commercial.

Black cocktail dress: $60

The perfect pair of black heels to go with the black cocktail dress: $45

Silver heart shaped necklace to complete the outfit: $32.50

Finding somewhere to wear all this stuff? Aubrey asked herself.  Priceless.  She grinned.  Good thing I'm starting that teaching job next week.  Otherwise there's no way--Aubrey bumped into Rachel as the other girl stopped suddenly.  "Hey." Aubrey chuckled.  "What gives?"

"This is perfect!" Rachel exclaimed under her breath.

"What?" Aubrey asked, not sure she'd heard Rachel correctly.  What's perfect? She looked around them.

"What?" Rachel asked looking at her.  "Oh, nothing.  Come on." She said and continued walking quickly toward the restaurant.

"You're crazy." Aubrey commented with a laugh.  Rachel just grinned.  They walked past the outdoor patio area where several people were out eating-enjoying the pleasant spring afternoon.  Again Rachel pulled up short, but Aubrey was paying attention this time and didn't run into her.

"Justin?" Rachel asked a bit too dramatically for Aubrey's comfort but her eyes darted over to the patron Rachel was addressing.  "What are you doing here?"  Justin looked up from his cell phone and Aubrey felt her cheeks warm as his blue eyes connected with hers.

She'd been trying the last two weeks not to get too disappointed that he hadn't called her again.  The more time that passed without him calling her back, the more she felt her hopes slip. But, she reminded herself.  It took him almost a month to call me the first time.  Still...a girl couldn't help but hope.  She'd even debated calling him herself but luckily she'd been able to resist.  She didn't know what she'd say to him in the first place and secondly, she didn't want to appear too desperate.

"Hey Rachel." He said with what sounded to Aubrey like an irritated sigh.  He smiled at her.  "Hi Aubrey."

"Hi." Aubrey replied, lifting her hand and smiling back at him.

"Are you here alone?" Rachel asked. 

Justin looked at Rachel for a moment.  "Mmm-hmm." He finally nodded.  "Do you guys...girls, sorry." He smiled.  "Do you girls want to join me?"

"We'd love too." Rachel exclaimed with a huge grin on her face.  She quickly sat down in one of the empty chairs across from him and pulled one out for Aubrey as well.  Aubrey sat down, putting her bags down on the ground.

"What'd you buy?" Justin asked, nodding towards her purchases.

"Oh," Aubrey tucked the hair that had escaped her clip behind her ears.  "I--"

"She got this amazing little black dress!" Rachel cut in.  "You should see it!  And the perfect shoes to go with it."

"Really?" Justin perked up.  "The perfect shoes?" He said with a slight lisp as he clasped his hands together beneath his chin and smiled brightly.  The girls were quiet for a split second until Rachel started to laugh.  Aubrey wasn't quite sure what was going on.  She'd never seen him act this way before.  Granted, she'd only seen him at random times and places but at each one he'd been a normal guy.  He gasped, drawing her back to the present.  "I want to see!" He exclaimed.

Aubrey snorted.  "Well...phff-yea...right." She said, completely stumbling over her words and sounding absolutely ridiculous.  With a grimace she sank down in her chair, her face completely on fire, and looked down at her hands in her lap as Rachel busted out laughing.  Aubrey chanced a look up at Justin to find him struggling to keep a straight face.  The corners of his lips twitched up finally revealing his adorable grin, but she gave him points for trying.  He winked at her and Aubrey felt herself melting into her chair. 

"What did you buy this amazing dress and perfect shoes for?" He asked, back to being his normal, charming self.

You.  Aubrey replied dreamily then sat up as the reality of her thoughts filtered through her hormone clouded brain.  "Um..." She thought for a moment.  "I don't know yet." She smiled as she shrugged her shoulders.  "But Rachel convinced me I couldn't pass up the bargain." Justin smiled.  Silence descended upon the table for a moment and Aubrey was just about to ask him why he was here when Rachel jumped up suddenly, startling both herself and Justin. 

"I'm sorry." Rachel said, taking her phone out of her purse.  She looked down at it.  "But I...I have to take this call, will you excuse me?"

Before either Aubrey or Justin could say anything she walked away and disappeared around the corner of the building.  Aubrey furrowed her brows in confusion.  What was that all about? She wondered, then turned back to look at Justin.  His eyes however, remained focused in the direction Rachel had gone for a second longer before he turned back to look at her.

"Aubrey?" He asked, sighing in resignation as he folded his arms and leaned across the table towards her.

"Hmmm?" She hummed, her eyes locked on his as she tried hard to ignore the shiver that went down her spine when he said her name.

"I believe we've just been played."

End Notes:
Four chapters in a week?  That's gotta be a record!  :)
Chapter 7 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
The saga continues...

"Played?" Aubrey questioned.

Justin nodded as he watched the confusion on her face grow.  "By a master player." He commented, picking up his glass and taking a sip of his water.

Aubrey was quiet for a moment then sighed as her shoulders slumped slightly in disappointment.  "Rachel's not coming back, is she?"

"Probably not." Justin shook his head.

"I'm sorry." She apologized.  He looked at her in question.

"What are you apologizing for?" He asked.  If his suspicions were correct, Aubrey was the innocent pawn in this game of chess Rachel was playing.  "Rachel's the one who needs to be strung up." Aubrey just looked at him.  He could see the uncertainty in her eyes--she thought this situation was her fault.  Obviously she doesn't know Rachel that well. He thought.

Aubrey's phone chimed, indicating the receipt of a new message and Justin watched as she pulled it from her purse.  As she looked down at the phone, her brows furrowing slightly at whatever she was reading, Justin took the opportunity to take in her appearance.  Her hair was pulled back--as it usually was--and he found himself wondering what it would look like if she were to let it down.  He leaned back in his chair, placing his elbows on the arms of the chair.

"What does the traitor have to say?" He asked. 

Aubrey looked up at him.  "How did you..." She paused then leaned across the table, handing him her phone.  "Here.  Read for yourself."

Justin took the phone from her, his fingers brushing hers in the transition.  His eyes lifted to hers, but Aubrey refused to meet his gaze.  He smiled to himself as he noticed the pink tingeing her cheeks.  Looking down he read Rachel's text.

Sorry, I had to go.  I had and emergency come up. Justin should be able to give you a ride home.

So glad she's an expert on what I can and can't do. He thought dryly.

"I'm sorry." Aubrey apologized again as he handed her back her phone.  "You don't have to take me home.  I can get a cab." She said pushing her chair back. 

"No." Justin said.  Aubrey's eyes met his.  He grinned as an idea came to him. 

"Its okay, Justin," She assured him.  "I don't mind taking a cab home."

"No." He shook his head and leaned across the table.  "You're going to sit here with me.  We're going to order some lunch," he said picking up his menu and opening it up.  "And were going to come up with a way to get back at her." He finished.  Aubrey watched him closely, then slowly scooted her chair back in and picked up her menu. 

"I think it's time that Rachel got a taste of her own medicine."

~~~~~ 

"What do you have in mind?" Aubrey asked, looking over her menu at Justin.  Feeling a little concerned at the purely evil look on his face. 

"I think I want the ravioli." He said, looking at the menu.  Aubrey laughed and he looked up.  "What about you?"

"Um..." She looked down at her menu.  "The ravioli sounds good...or maybe just a salad.  I'm really not that hungry."

"Oh please." He scoffed.  "I know you're not just a salad girl." He laughed.  "What do you really want?" He asked.

Aubrey fought a grin as she looked back down at the menu.  "Chicken Parmesan is my favorite." She confided.

"Then it's settled." He said, closing his menu. 

"Are you guys ready to order?" The waitress asked suddenly appearing.

"Aubrey?" Justin asked looking at her. 

"I'll have the Chicken Parmesan." She said, handing her menu to the waitress.

"And I want the ravioli." Justin said.

"Alright." The waitress smiled.  "I'll get this order in and it'll be out in a few minutes."  She turned and left and Aubrey looked back at Justin.

"So..." He said, putting his elbows up on the table.  He laced his fingers together, resting his chin on top of them.

"So..." Aubrey drawled in response, mimicking the way he was sitting.

"What are we going to do about Rachel?" He asked.

"Oh." Aubrey laughed then sat back in her seat.  "I don't think there's anything to do about Rachel."  She said.

"Oh I don't know," He said, pursing his lips in thought.  "I bet we could do something to get back at her.  She's getting to be a huge pain in my ass and I want to teach her a lesson."

"I'll take that bet." Aubrey replied.  Justin cocked his head to the side as he studied her for a moment.

"What exactly are we betting on here?" He asked.

"On whether or not you can teach Rachel a lesson." She stated.  He narrowed his eyes slightly.  "Look." Aubrey said, leaning back over the table.  "I haven't known Rachel for long, that's true, but I do know a little about her."

"Like what?" Justin questioned, his blue eyes alight with curiosity.

"Like..." she drawled.  "She's stubborn." Justin nodded his head.  "And she's tenacious." Again Justin nodded in agreement.  "And she's the kind of person that doesn't take to people telling her she's wrong." Justin nodded for a third time.  "And did I mention she's stubborn?" Aubrey finished.

Justin chuckled as he picked up his water glass.  "Which is exactly why this is going to be so much fun." He winked at her again and Aubrey's heart skipped a beat.  Why does he have to do that? She wondered.  "So again," he said.  "What exactly are we betting on here?"

Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she sat looking at him.  "We're betting on whether or not you can get Rachel to stay out of our lives." She said.  He blinked.  "I know what she's doing." Aubrey said.  He looked at her in shock. "For some reason she thinks you and I should be together," she continued.  "And she's trying her hardest to make it happen.  So...I'm willing to bet that--as much as I would like you to succeed--you're not going to and she's going to keep meddling."

"And I bet I can." He replied arrogantly. Of course you do. Aubrey thought.  "What are the stakes?" He asked.

"The stakes?" She questioned.

"Yeah." He grinned.  "What are we betting?  If I lose, what do you want?" He asked.

To go on a real date with you.  She wanted to say, but bit back the thought.  She looked down at her lap as she thought for a moment.  "I don't know." She laughed nervously, looking back up at him.

"Close your eyes." He said.

"What?"

"Close your eyes." He repeated.  She did as he requested.  "When I say: what do you want, what's the first thing that pops into your head?"

"To travel somewhere exotic." Aubrey replied then opened her eyes, letting go a dreamy sigh.  Justin grinned at her, his blue eyes sparkling and she felt a bit breathless.  "What about you?" She asked.  "What do you want if you win?"

He was quiet for a moment then answered honestly, "To be a normal guy for a day."

Aubrey just looked at him, empathy welling up inside of her.  Here she was sitting across the table from a guy--who for all intents and purposes--looked to all the world to have everything that life had to offer and what did he want most?  To be normal.  To give it all up.  She used to think that celebrities led such glamorous and uninhibited lives, but the more she came to know Justin--and JC, through association with Rachel--she was beginning to see that what looked like freedom on the outside was really just a gilded cage.  He was trapped by his status-unable to go anywhere or do anything without a million people watching his every move.  She stretched out her hand towards him.

"Deal." She said.  Justin slipped his hand into hers, his warm fingers wrapping around hers and she felt an almost electric charge at the contact.  Her eyes locked with his and she wondered if he had felt it as well.  His face, however, remained unchanged--his expression unreadable at the moment.

"Deal." He said with a nod of his head then released her hand.

"So what's your plan of attack, Maestro?" She asked.  A purely evil grin spread across his face and she swore she could see horns growing from the top of his head.  She laughed.   

"Rachel has no idea what's in store for her." He scooted his chair around the table to sit closer to her.  "Here's what I'm thinking..."

~~~~~~

Date: Mon, 27 April 2009 14:24:57

Subject: Captain's Log

To: freckles_21@yahoo.com

From: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

Dear Freckles,

I haven't heard from you in a few days.  I was beginning to get worried.  I'm glad you got the new job at the Aquatic Center.  It sounds like things are finally starting to fall into place for you!  Just make sure that with everything you're doing you don't get so busy you forget about me.

Have you heard from that Justin guy you were telling me about?  Has he declared his complete adoration for you yet?  He's a fool if he hasn't.  And speaking of fools, have you heard from Andrew?

Michael

 

Date: Mon, 27 April 2009 13:15:23

Subject: Secretary Diaries

To: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

From: freckles_21@yahoo.com

Dear Desert Rat,

Funny you should ask.  I actually had lunch with Justin on Saturday. :)  But I think I'm the fool.  He hasn't done anything to indicate he's interested in me that way.  I'm thinking it's a good thing that I'm starting the teaching job next week.  It'll keep me too busy to think any more of these ridiculous thoughts I've been having about the guy.  Don't get me wrong, he's great.  He's smart, funny and nice and we have fun together and find a million things to talk about, but I think he's only looking for a friend right now.  He recently went through a breakup and I don't really want to be the rebound girl, you know?

Anyway...I promise I won't forget about you and I promise it won't be so long between my next email. :)

Aubrey

P.S. No, I haven't heard from Andrew.

~~~~~~

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Justin asked JC as he followed the other guy into his house a few nights later.  He'd called him the other day, explaining why he wanted to come over tonight.  JC knew Rachel was getting on Justin's nerves with the whole match--making scheme she had going on and had agreed to let him to try and get her to stop.  "I'm not sayin' anything is really going to happen," he said in assurance.  "But..."

"What's not really going to happen?" Rachel asked, coming around the corner and looking at the boys. 

"Uh," JC stammered, looking over at Justin.  "Well..."

"I was just making sure Jace was okay with me working on one of his songs." Justin said stepping in with his prefabricated lie.  Rachel's brows furrowed as she looked at them both. 

"One of his songs?" She asked lifting her face as JC stepped over to her and kissed her cheek.  He wrapped his arms around her from behind and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"Yeah." Justin said, jumping up on the kitchen counter and reaching over for one of the cookies Rachel had cooling on the counter.  "I've got an idea for one of them and I asked if he would let me play around with it this weekend." He shifted on the counter and pulled his jump drive from his pocket.  "I just came over to download it." He said, holding up the small storage device. 

"Oh." Rachel said, looking over her shoulder at JC.  "Which song?" She asked, stepping out of his arms as the oven started beeping.  She pulled out the sheet of chocolate chip cookies and started putting them on the racks she had set up.  Justin grabbed another one and took a big bite. 

"These are really good." He said with his mouth full, not answering her question.  He swallowed noisily.  "I didn't know you baked." 

"I bake." Rachel exclaimed.  Justin just looked at her.  "I cook too.  Tell him I cook." She said, looking over at JC who had his mouth full of cookie.

"I cook." JC said with a grin as Rachel put the cookie tray in the sink.  She reached over and slapped his chest.  He laughed.  "She cooks." He said.

"Yeah, out of a box, right?" Justin teased. 

"No!" Rachel exclaimed, putting her hands on her hips.  "For your information I make a mean chicken salad."

"Is that right?" Justin asked.

"Yes." She nodded.  "Tell him, JC." She said turning around.

"It's mean alright." JC nodded. 

"Okay, you know what?" Rachel said, pointing a finger at her boyfriend.  JC just laughed as he put his arm around her shoulder and kissed her. 

"I'm kidding." He laughed.  "Your chicken salad is good and you make awesome chocolate chip cookies." He assured her. 

"Thank you." She replied.  "Now, why don't you guys go do whatever you need to do with that song while I get dinner ready."

"What are we having?" Justin asked. 

"Well, I don't know about you." She answered as she opened the cupboard next to him.  "But we're having some salmon and steamed vegetables."

"Sounds good." JC said.  "Come on." He said to Justin as he walked past him.  Justin hopped off the counter, grabbed a few more cookies, and followed JC out of the kitchen.  "Good luck, man." JC whispered to him with a chuckle as he walked downstairs.  Justin stayed in the hallway for a minute, quickly eating the cookies he'd taken then, wiping his hands together, he took a deep breath and walked back into the kitchen. 

Here goes nothing. He thought.

~~~~~

Rachel jumped slightly as two hands appeared on either side of her on the counter.  She looked down at them as she felt him press his body against hers and smiled.  "Hey." She said quietly.  "Is Justin downstairs?"  She turned around and gasped as a different pair of blue eyes than the ones she was expecting looked back at her.  "Justin!" She exclaimed, leaning back against the counter to try and put some distance between them.  "W-what...what are you doing?" She asked her eyes widening and her heart speeding up as he leaned towards her.

"Justin?" She questioned, swallowing and trying hard to ignore the shiver that went down her spine as he leaned over her and pressed his hips against hers. 

"Hmmm?" He hummed, his nose running along the edge of her jaw.

"JC's here." She reminded him.  "He's right downstairs."

Justin pulled back and looked at her, his face an inch away from hers.  "Don't worry about him." He said, a confident smirk on his face as he leaned over her once more.  "He's busy copying that song for me.  He thinks I'm on the phone with my mom.  I wanted to talk to you." He said, his eyes holding hers captive as he raised one hand and brushed his fingertip across her cheek. 

"About what?" She questioned, hating the way her traitorous body was responding to him.  Damn it! Rachel swore to herself as Justin licked his lips, bringing her attention to his mouth.  JC. She reminded herself.  You're in love with JC. You're living with JC.  You're practically engaged to JC! 

"About last Saturday." Justin replied leaning over her.  She shivered as she felt his breath warm on her neck. Rachel closed her eyes, praying for the strength to resist him.  JC.  JC.  JC.  She repeated over and over, reminding herself of the presence of her protective and sometimes overly jealous boyfriend in the house.  He would kill them both if he were to walk upstairs right now.

"W-what..." She licked her lips.  "What about last Saturday?"  Her breath hitched as he brushed his nose along her jaw.

"About when we met for lunch." He whispered, his voice low and rough in her ear.  Rachel pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, holding back a whimper.  Please don't let JC walk upstairs.

"Hmmm." She hummed, unable to form a complete sentence as she felt his warm lips press against the corner of her jaw. 

"I want you..." He drawled and Rachel's stomach quivered.  "To butt out." He finished. 

Rachel's eyes snapped open as he stilled.  Justin pulled back and looked at her, both hands gripping the counter behind her.

"What?" She asked, completely confused.

"I want you to butt out." He repeated.  "I know what you're doing and I don't appreciate it."

"What the hell are you talking about?" She asked, feeling her anger rise as the humiliation set in.  Normally she was the one that did the playing but she had just become the pawn in Justin's game of seduction.  He had completely disarmed her because he knew about her weakness when it came to his smooth charm and irresistibly good looks.

Justin pushed off of the counter and put some space between them.  "I don't know why you think you need to help me, but I want you to butt out of mine and Aubrey's lives." He said his eyes and voice icy.  "We're both adults and we're both perfectly capable of making our own decisions about who we want to date so I want you to leave us alone.  Are we clear?" He asked, folding his arms across his chest.

"Fine." Rachel said, mimicking him as she folded her arms as well.  "I'll butt out but only if you promise me one thing."

"What?" Justin asked, tilting his head to the side as he cocked a brow.

Rachel stepped towards him as she pointed a finger at him, pushing it into his chest.  "I'll stop trying to set you guys up if you promise me she won't get hurt."

"Hurt?" Justin asked in confusion.  "What are you talking about?"

"Aubrey is young and..." Rachel sighed as she dropped her arms.  "And I don't want to see her get hurt.  She's going to read into things and you," she pointed a finger into his chest.  "Need to be careful with the signals you send her.  I don't want her to get hurt."

"She's not going to get hurt." Justin assured her.  "Because nothing is going on between us and nothing will be going on between us."

Yeah, we'll see about that. She thought.  "Just promise me." She insisted.  Justin narrowed his eyes as he looked at her. 

"I promise." He said.  "Now, are you going to leave us alone?"

"Yes." Rachel replied.

"Thank you." Justin said and Rachel watched as he turned and walked out of the room.  With a sigh she collapsed back against the counter.  She lifted a hand to her head and closed her eyes.  Damn him.  She thought.  Why did he have to bring sexy back?

~~~~~~

"Hello?" Aubrey asked as she answered her phone Wednesday evening. 

"Hey." Justin answered, a smile in his voice.

"Hey yourself." Aubrey smiled, pulling her legs up beneath her and leaning back against the arm of the couch.  She reached over and grabbed the remote control and turned off the television.  She'd just finished her English paper that was due the next day and since Grams was down at the church for her weekly night of bingo, Aubrey had settled in for a quiet night alone.  "What's up?" She asked.

"Not much." He replied.  "I was just calling to tell you it's time to pay up."

"What?" Aubrey chuckled in confusion.  "What are you talking about?"

"Don't tell me you've forgotten our bet." He replied. 

"Oh!" Aubrey replied.  "Right.  The bet." She smiled as she remembered the wager they'd made over the weekend.  She narrowed her eyes as she twirled a strand of her hair between her fingers.  "What did you do?" She asked.

"I got Rachel to promise to leave us alone." He answered.

"Really?" She asked incredulously.  "How?"

"I have my ways." He chuckled.

"Yeah, I bet you do." Aubrey replied dryly.  Justin laughed.

"So?" He asked. 

"So what?" She questioned.

"It's your turn now." He told her.  "I told you what I wanted if I was able to get her to butt out."

"Alright." Aubrey replied as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and thought.  Justin's request had been a day of normalcy.  How in the world is Justin Timberlake going to ever be able to have a normal day?  She wondered.

"You still there?" He asked.

"Yeah, sorry." She said.  "I'm thinking.  Your request is going to take some...creativity to produce." She told him.

He chuckled.  "You don't have to do anything." He said, letting her off the hook.  "I--"

"No, I want to." She told him.  "Just...give me a second."  He obliged her by remaining quiet.  Aubrey thought.  What was a normal day for her?  What could she do to give him what he wanted?  She perked up as an idea came to her.  "Okay." She said.  "What are you doing this Saturday?"

"Saturday?" He asked.  "Nothing.  Why?"

"Can you come over here?" She asked.  "And bring your dogs?"

"Sure." He replied.  "What do you have in mind to do?" He asked.

"Uh-uh." She shook her head and smiled.  "It's a surprise."

"Okay." He chuckled.  "What time should I be over there?"

"Uh...nine?" She asked.

"Alright."

"One more thing." She told him.  "No cell phone."

"What?!" He exclaimed. 

"No cell phone." She repeated.  "No cell phone, no iPod, no Blackberry...nothing electronic that would connect you to anyone who knows you."

"Why?" He asked.

"You said you wanted to be normal for day, which means I don't want anything around that reminds you of who you are." She told him.  "For one day, Justin Timberlake isn't going to exist."

"I don't know..." He drawled.

"Trust me." She said. 

He was quiet for a moment then, "Okay." He said, agreeing with her terms.  "Saturday, nine o'clock, no cell phone."  Aubrey smiled. 

"Oh, and bring a shovel if you have one."

"What?" He chuckled in confusion. 

"Just do it." She laughed.  "No questions."

"You drive a hard bargain, girl." He replied.  "Alright."  They were both quiet for a moment.  "So what are you up to tonight?" He asked, changing the subject. 

"Not much." She replied.  "I just finished watching my show--"

"Which is?" He asked, interrupting her.

"Bones." She replied.

"Oh yeah." He said.  "I remember you saying something about that show the first time we met."

Aubrey was taken back that he would remember that inconsequential bit of information she'd given him that day so long ago.  She smiled.  "Yeah." She replied.  Suddenly someone knocked at the front door and she turned around. "Hang on." She said.  "Someone's at the door."

"Okay." Justin replied.  "So is that show really that good?" He asked.

"Yes." Aubrey exclaimed.  "I love it."

"Why?" He asked.

"Because." She replied.  "It's just...good and David Boreanas is hot."

Justin groaned.  "Such a typical girl answer." He replied with a laugh.

Aubrey laughed as well as she reached out her hand and turned the door knob.  She pulled the door open and felt the smiled on her face fall instantly.  Her eyes went wide and she dropped her arm which was holding her phone to her side. 

"Andrew."

End Notes:

*ducks from all the shoes being thrown at her*

I know, I know...another cliff-hanger...forgive me??

Chapter 8 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

I spoil you guys WAY too much!  lol...but I love you so here's the next chapter :)

"Hey, Aubrey." Andrew Johnson said looking at her from beneath the red ball cap he wore.  It was a very surreal feeling--seeing him again.  When she'd broken it off with him a few years ago and they'd both gone their separate ways she never thought she'd see him again.  She thought she'd closed that chapter in her life but here he was--standing on her grandmother's front porch steps, looking exactly like she remembered him looking.

"I hope this isn't a bad time." He said, breaking her from her thoughts.

"No." She shook her head automatically.  "I'm sorry." She stepped back.  "Come in."

"Are you sure?" He asked.  "If you're busy..." he gestured towards the forgotten cell phone in her hand.

Aubrey tore her eyes away from him and looked down at her cell phone uncomprehendingly for a moment.  "Oh." She said.  Then, "Justin!" She exclaimed, suddenly remembering who she had been talking to moments before.  She put the phone to her ear.  "Justin?" She asked.

"Yeah." He responded.  "Still here."

"I...I have to go." She said.

"Alright." He replied.  "Are you okay?"

I'm fine." Her eyes stole over to Andrew once more.  "I just...I have to go."  She turned away from the man standing in the doorway slightly.  "I'll call you later."  Aubrey ended her call with Justin and turned to look at Andrew once more.  She hated to say it but, being over in Iraq had been good for him.  He looked tanner and his shirt fit a little snugger across his chest than she remembered and was it just her imagination that his blue eyes seemed even bluer?  "What are you doing here?" She finally asked, looking down at herself--finally realizing she was standing there in an old pair of grey sweats and an oversized black T-shirt.  Way to make a good impression.  She thought with chagrin.  Then kicked herself.  It's just Andrew. There wasn't a need to make a good impression on him. 

"I'm stationed down here in San Diego now." Andrew said.  "I've kept in touch with Michael since we were both deployed and he told me you were living up here with your grandmother.  I figured..." he shrugged.  "I figured I'd stop by and see how you were." He looked at her, hope glittering in his eyes.  "It's been a while, Bre."

Aubrey couldn't help but smile at the pet name he'd always had for her.  She remembered the first time he'd called her that and what her reaction had been.  "What am I?  A piece of cheese?"  They had both laughed and the name had stuck.  She led Andrew over to the floral upholstered couches in the front room and they both sat down. 

"If I'd known you were coming I'd have done something with my hair." She teased and he smiled.

"What have you been up to?" He asked, putting his hands together as he leaned over, resting his arms on his legs then looking at her. 

Aubrey drew her legs up beneath her and tucked her hair behind her ears.  "Just work and school mostly." She replied.

"Where are you working?" He asked sitting back against the couch--his body language giving away the fact that he was nervous.

"I'm the receptionist at an interior design firm downtown." She told him.

"That's cool." He nodded.

"Yeah." She smiled.  "It's not much, but it pays the bills."

"Are you going to UCLA?" He asked.

"Yep." She nodded.  "I'm just taking a couple classes on-line right now." She told him. 

"Are you still wanting to get your teaching certificate?" He asked.

"Eventually." She smiled.  "It's going to take me a while the way I'm going, but...someday soon, hopefully."

"That's great." He smiled and Aubrey looked down at her hands in her lap.

"What about you?" She asked looking up at him.  Why was she feeling so awkward around him?  She'd known Andrew since she was fifteen.  He knew more about her than anyone, besides her family.  He'd been the one who stayed with her at the hospital the last time she'd been in there and her parent's had been out of town for crying out loud!  "You still doing the whole interpreter thing?"

"I'm not at liberty to discuss that." Andrew replied with a wink as his lips lifted in a grin.  Aubrey chuckled.  "Yeah." He said.  "I'm still working as a linguist." He nodded.  Silence fell between them when he didn't volunteer anymore information.

"How come you're up here in L.A.?" She asked.  "I know you didn't drive up here just to see me." She teased.  Andrew just looked at her, the look in her eyes giving her his answer.  "Oh." She said, looking down at her lap once more.  "Andrew--" She began, looking up, but Andrew cut her off as he scooted closer to her on the couch.

"Bre, I..." he hesitated as he reached over and laid his hand over hers.  Aubrey removed them from beneath his and folded her arms across her chest.  Andrew sighed.  "Are you free Friday night?" He asked.  Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she looked at him.  Her first instinct was to say no, but the promise she'd made her mother last month to give Andrew another chance if he asked kept running through her head.  "I was hoping we could go out...spend some time really catching up."

She took a deep breath.  "I..."

"It's just dinner and movie, Aubrey." He said.  "No pressure." He assured her.  "I promise.  Just...just two friends who haven't seen each other in a few years, spending some time together.  I've been gone for a while and I...I just need to get back a sense of normalcy, you know?  You're the only one I know here, right now."

"Okay." Aubrey finally agreed. 

"Yeah?" Andrew asked his excitement evident.

"Just friends?" Aubrey asked.

He nodded.  "Just friends.  I promise."

"Okay." She said again.  He smiled.

"Well." He said, rubbing his hand on his thighs.  "I better go." He said.  "I'm sure you had things to do tonight." Aubrey stood as Andrew did, not bothering to correct his incorrect assumption.  "Can I pick you up at seven on Friday?" He asked.

"Sure." Aubrey nodded.  "Seven works."

"Good." Andrew nodded.  "Well..."

"Oh, yeah." Aubrey turned and walked towards the front door.  She twisted the door knob and opened the door, turning to look at Andrew.  They stood looking at each other for a second until Andrew surprised her by putting his arms around her and pulling her close.  Oo-kay. She thought as she stood there, not quite sure what to do.  She put her arms around him and patted his back once. 

"It's great seeing you again, Aubrey." Andrew said as he pulled back.  Aubrey just smiled, trying to hide the fact that she was completely shocked and a bit weirded-out at the fact that he'd just hugged her.  "I'll see you Friday."

"Yeah, Friday." She said as he left.  She watched him walk down the front path for a second than closed the door, leaning back against it.  What is going on? She thought.  In the year she'd been in California she hadn't gone on one date and now, in the space of an hour she had not one, but two dates this weekend; one with a man she never thought she'd ever see again and one with Justin Timberlake!  "Somewhere there's a planet out of alignment." She murmured under her breath as she walked back into the family room.  "And tomorrow I'm going to wake up and find out I've just been Punk'd."

~~~~~~

"I've heard this movie is really good." Andrew said as he allowed Aubrey to walk in front of him into the theatre. 

"Yeah, Rachel--one of the girls I work with--said she and her boyfriend saw it last weekend and really liked it." Aubrey replied as they made their way up the dark hallway towards the seats.  She stopped when they entered the theatre, waiting for him to lead the way. 

"Where do you want to sit?" Andrew asked directly behind her.  Aubrey jumped slightly, unaware that he was standing so close. 

"Wherever." She said, taking a small step away from him--hoping he wouldn't notice.  He smiled as he took her hand and started climbing the stairs.  Aubrey followed him her eyes focused on where he was touching her, her thoughts racing.  Since Andrew had shown up on her grandmother's porch Wednesday evening and asked her out for tonight she'd gone back and forth with herself on whether or not she should just call and cancel.  Unfortunately, she hadn't been thinking clearly Wednesday night and hadn't gotten his number so she couldn't call and cancel on him. 

"What's got you so down today?" Rachel had asked earlier that afternoon as she'd walked by the front desk.

Aubrey had sighed.  "I sort of have a date tonight." She told her friend.

"Really?" Rachel asked excitedly.  "Is it with Justin?!"

"No." Aubrey shook her head and Rachel's excitement dropped.  "Do you remember me telling you about the guy I dated a few years ago that got stationed down in San Diego?" Aubrey asked.

"Yeah." Rachel nodded.  "I don't remember his name though."

"Andrew." Aubrey supplied.

"Right." Rachel said.  "Andrew.  Is that who you're going out with?" She asked.  Aubrey nodded.  "That's...cool." Rachel replied.

"No it's not." Aubrey replied, leaning over her desk and putting her hands over her face. 

"Why not?" Rachel asked. 

"Because!" Aubrey said, looking back up at Rachel.  "I'm not in love with him."

Rachel laughed.  "It's just a date, Aubrey." She reminded her.  "It's not like you're marrying the guy."

"You don't understand." Aubrey shook her head.  "Andrew..." she sighed again.  "I don't want to lead him on." She said.  "He's a great guy but there's nothing there."

"Oh." Rachel scoffed.  "You're being ridiculous, Aubrey. You're jumping to a lot of conclusions rather quickly here.  Maybe he just needs a friend right now." 

"Yeah, you're right.  He did promise tonight was just two friends going out and catching up."

"Well then, there you go." Rachel replied.  "Don't stress yourself out over nothing."

As Aubrey followed Andrew down the row he'd chosen and sat down next to him she prayed that Rachel was right.  She looked over at Andrew as he situated the drink he'd gotten at the snack bar in one of the drink holders.  The whole evening had gone better than she'd expected--the car ride to the restaurant had only been a little awkward--and they had soon fallen back into their normal, comfortable relationship as the night had progressed.  She was reminded about what a nice, quiet, unassuming guy he was.  He was respectful and kind and she could tell he genuinely cared about her.  She'd even begun to question why it was she had broken things off with him to begin with.

Snap out of it!  She'd scolded herself as the lights in the theater turned down and the previews began.  This is Andrew you're talking about, remember?  But...he was a guy.  And he was interested in her.  It was hard to push that fact away.  She knew she wasn't in love with him, but it felt nice to know someone wanted to be with her. 

With a sigh Aubrey turned her attention to the screen, forgetting about the nagging feeling in the back of her mind that things had just taken a turn in her life--but whether this turn turned out to be good or bad had yet to be seen. 

~~~~~

"Thanks for coming with me tonight." Andrew said as he walked Aubrey up to her front door.

"You're welcome." She smiled.  "I had fun." She stopped when they reached the stairs and turned to look up at him.  Her stomach dropped as she recognized the look in his blue eyes--it was a look she'd seen more than once on his face.  He's going to kiss me. She thought and almost before the words came to her he leaned towards her.  She felt herself giving in for a moment, until reality set in again.  Aubrey put a hand to his chest and held him back.  "Just friends, remember?" She asked him.  His blue eyes looked at her in disappointment as he took a step away from her and she suddenly felt like a rotten, horrible person.  She'd known this was going to happen!  I should have just cancelled. 

"Right." He said.  "When can I see you again?" He asked. 

"Um..." She thought for a moment.  "I don't know.  I'll have to look at the calendar."

"Okay.  I'll call you tomorrow.  Maybe we can do something down in San Diego next time." He looked at her hopefully.

"Maybe." She replied non-comittally and Andrew sighed.  He reached out and took one of her hands in his.  Before she could pull it back he raised the back of it to his lips, his eyes meeting hers. 

"Good night, Aubrey." He said as he released her hand.

"Good night...Andrew." She replied.  She looked at him for a moment, her emotions conflicted.  She wanted to call him back and apologize.  She wanted him to come back and kiss her--to see if anything had changed in the two years they'd been apart.  Finally she turned and walked inside, leaning back against the door when she closed it.  Her phone vibrated in her purse and she straightened as she dug it out.  Flipping it open she read the text she'd just received. 

I had a great time tonight.  Sweet dreams.

Aubrey groaned as she walked down the hall to her bedroom, praying she'd done the right thing tonight in letting Andrew back into her life and wouldn't live to regret it.  

~~~~~~

"I'm here." Justin grinned as Aubrey opened her front door Saturday morning.  He had a tight hold of Buckley and Brennan's leashes--both of whom were whining and wagging their short tails in excitement--with his right hand.  His left hand was wrapped around a shovel and Aubrey smiled at him.

"Hi." She said.  "Come in."  She stepped back and opened the door wider.

"Should I leave this out here?" He asked lifting up the shovel.

"Nope." Aubrey shook her head.  "We're going right out to the back yard."

Justin stepped into the house and followed Aubrey as she led him back through the kitchen and family room to the back sliding door.

"You can let them go," Aubrey said as she closed the door behind them.  "They can't hurt anything back here."  Justin leaned the shovel he'd brought against the side of the house then leaned down and unclipped the dog's leashes.  The two boxers took off, excitedly running around and sniffing all the new scents in her backyard. 

"So what's the plan for today?" Justin asked, turning to look at her.

"Well, you wanted to be a normal guy for a day." She said.  "So I'm putting you to work."

"What kind of work?" He inquired.

"Yard work." She said then turned and picked up a pair of gardening gloves.  "The flower garden has been kind of neglected back here for a while." She said as she led him around the side of the house.  "We've got our work cut out for us."  Justin groaned when he saw the large patch of dirt along the side fence that was overgrown with thick weeds.  "We've got to pull all the weeds out then add in that mulch," she pointed to a few bags stacked up against the side of the house.  "And plant those flowers Grams picked out yesterday."  She put her hands on her hips as she looked at him, squinting against the morning sun.  "You ready to get those soft hands of yours dirty?" She asked with a teasing glint in her eyes. 

"Bring it on." He replied.

~~~~~ 

Three hours later--hot, sweaty, and dirty--Justin collapsed beside Aubrey on the grass.  Brennan came over and stuck her nose in his face.  "Hey!" He exclaimed, pushing the dog away.  "Get out of my face!" Aubrey laughed and he raised his head to look at her.  "What are you laughing about?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at her. 

"Nothing." She replied as she placed the last of the flowers in the ground.  She patted the dark earth around the plant than leaned back on her heels, wiping her hands together as she surveyed the work they'd done.  "Nice work, Superstar." She said, looking over her shoulder and smiling at him.  "Grams is going to love it."

Justin smiled as he lay back down and closed his eyes.  He was aware of Aubrey sitting down next to him and heard her as she talked to Buckley who had come over and joined his sister by them.  The last three hours had been hard work, but they'd been worth it.  It had been a while since he'd done any sort of manual labor like that and he'd forgotten the sense of accomplishment you got when you worked hard to create something with your hands and were able to then sit back and enjoy the benefits.  But it wasn't just the rewards of working hard that had made the morning so enjoyable.  He opened one eye a slit and looked over at the woman sitting next to him, playing with his dogs, and a contented smile spread across his face. 

As they'd worked, he'd been able to keep Aubrey entertained with stories of all the crazy things he'd seen and done that had happened to him in his life and he'd quickly discovered that making her laugh was his new favorite hobby.  Her laugh was so carefree and full of life and each time brought a smile to his face.  Like now.  He raised his head once more then turned on his side, propping his head up with one hand as he watched her giggle when Brennan started licking her.

"I told you she thinks you two are best friends now." He said.  Aubrey looked at him as she finally managed to push the dog away. 

"I thought you'd fallen asleep on me." She said.  "I know it's probably been a while since you've done anything like this, if at all." She teased.

Justin chuckled as he rolled his eyes.  "I'm not helpless you know.  I do know how to work."

"I know." Aubrey replied as she leaned back on her hands.

Justin watched her for a moment then finally voiced the question that had been running around inside his head since Wednesday night.  "Who's Andrew?"

~~~~~  

Aubrey looked over at Justin.  "Andrew?" She questioned her brow furrowing.  How in the world does he know about Andrew? 

"Yeah," Justin's eyes dropped and she watched as he reached out and picked a few blades of grass.  "When we were talking Wednesday night I heard you talking to someone you called Andrew."  He looked up at her.  "It sounded like you were pretty surprised to see him."

"Oh." Aubrey said.  She'd forgotten Justin had still been on the phone when Andrew had shown up the other night.  "Yeah.  Yeah, I was surprised to see him.  He, um..." she swiped the hair out of her face with the back of her hand.  "We dated...a few years ago."  Justin said nothing but for some reason she felt the need to explain further.  "He's a friend of my brother's and...I broke it off with him because I didn't really feel anything for him at the time." She looked down at her hands in her lap.  "Then he got shipped over to Iraq two years ago."

"And now?" Justin questioned curiously.  Aubrey looked up at him.

"And now." She echoed with a sigh.  "We went out last night.  But we're just friends." She rushed to assure him, wondering why she felt she needed to reassure him of that fact.

They sat there, just looking at each other for a few moments, until Justin leaned towards her.  Aubrey watched as his arm reached out, her breath catching in her throat as his warm hand cupped her face, his thumb brushing across her cheek.  Her heart was pounding.  "What--"

"Are you guys ready for lunch?"

Aubrey jumped as her grandmother came outside and Justin dropped his hand as he looked back over his shoulder. 

"Are you hungry?" Aubrey asked Justin, trying hard to ignore the way her stomach was still quivering from his touch.

"Starving." Justin replied with a grin as he stood up.

"We're coming." Aubrey told her grandmother.  She looked up as Justin held his hands out to her.  Hesitating for a moment, she finally placed her hands in his and allowed him to pull her up next to him.  She felt her cheeks warm slightly as he kept a hold of her hands and she wished she could control her emotional reactions better.  Did he know what he was doing to her or was this just him being a typically confusing boy?  With a sigh she pulled her hands from his and turned.  "Let's go." She said picking up the gloves she'd taken off earlier, trying hard to control her thoughts.  You're just being ridiculous. She scolded herself.  He didn't mean anything by it.  You probably just had something on your face that's all. 

~~~~~

Justin smiled to himself as he followed behind Aubrey.  Her reaction when he'd reached out to wipe the smudge of dirt from her face had been fun.  She'd gotten more than a little bit flustered and had jumped when her grandmother had called out to them and he decided that, next to making her laugh, flustering her had become his next favorite activity.

"Wash your hands." Aubrey's grandmother said walking out of the kitchen as they both entered the house. 

"Yes, ma'am." Justin said, sniffing appreciatively at the bacon he could smell cooking.  Aubrey stepped up to the sink and turned on the water. 

"Hey!" She exclaimed with a laugh as he nudged her out of the way with his hip, hogging the sink.  He stuck his tongue out at her and she reached over, flicking water up on him. 

"Oh, you're asking for it now, girl." He replied with a laugh as he put one arm around her waist, holding her against him as he picked up the sprayer and turned it on her. 

"Ah!"  She screamed.  "Stop!" Aubrey giggled as she tried to get away from him.  He held onto her tighter.  "Justin!" She exclaimed as he sprayed her with the water again.  He laughed.

"Say you're sorry." He commanded through his laughter as she continued trying to squirm out of his hold.

"I'm sorry." She said.  "I'm sorry.  I surrender."  He released her and she turned to look at him, the front of her dark shirt completely soaked.  She pushed the wet hair from her face before reaching out and quickly grabbing the sprayer herself.  She turned it on him, hitting him in the face before he could grab her wrist. 

"Aubrey Janae!" Her grandmother scolded as she walked into the kitchen. 

"What?" She asked.  "He started it." Aubrey argued in defense as Justin finally managed to get the sprayer out of her hands. 

"Come eat, you two." She said.

"Ha!" Justin exclaimed in triumph as he grinned at her.

"Brat." She replied with a roll of her eyes.

"Oh, come on, Aubrey Janae." He said, using her newly discovered middle name as he sidled up close to her.  "Don't be mad at me."  He watched as she fought not to laugh, her struggle finally coming to an end as she reached out and pushed his shoulder playfully. 

"Come on." She said, walking over to the table.  "Before I get into anymore trouble."

Justin sat down with Aubrey and her grandmother around the small kitchen table, his stomach growling at the BLT sandwich sitting on the plate in front of him.  He reached out to pick it up and moaned appreciatively as he took a bite.  Aubrey chuckled beside him as she took a bite of her own sandwich. 

"Want some chips?" She asked, handing him an opened bag of potato chips. 

"Thanks." He grinned, taking the bag and pulling out a handful.  "This is really good." He said to her grandmother.

"Thank you." The older woman replied.  "It's the least I could do for all the hard work you put in today.  That flower garden has been neglected for a while.  Aubrey's grandpa was the one who always took care of the yard.  Since he died I haven't done much with it."

Justin smiled.  "Anytime you need some help, you just give me a call." He said. 

"I appreciate it." Her grandmother replied.  "But Aubrey tells me you're a pretty busy guy."

"Yeah, I guess you could say that." He said, his eyes sliding over to Aubrey's.  He looked at her in question, silently asking if her grandmother knew who he really was.  She shook her head slightly and looked down at her plate.  "My work keeps me pretty busy, but I mean it." He said reaching for the pitcher of lemonade on the table and pouring himself a glass.  "I always make time to help out a friend."  Aubrey looked over at him and he smiled at her. 

"What do you kids have planned for the rest of the day?" Her grandmother asked.  Justin cocked a curious brow at Aubrey as she continued to just stare at him.  "Aubrey?"

"Hmmm?" Aubrey asked, finally turning to look at her grandmother.  Justin chuckled.

"What are your plans for the rest of today?"

"Oh." She wiped her hands on her napkin.  "Well, I need to finish my homework for this week and I was going to go to the grocery store for you." She looked over at Justin.  "We could take the dogs over to the park for a while if you want." She said.

"Whatever." He shrugged, as a slow smile spread across his face.  "I'm just along for the ride today." Aubrey smiled back at him before turning back to her grandmother.

"We might watch a movie later, if that's alright." She finished. 

"Doesn't sound like a very exciting day." Her grandmother commented. 

"That's just the way I like it." Justin jumped in.  "It seems like I'm always running around in a million directions that it's nice to just slow down and take it easy for a while." He said, putting his arm up along the back of Aubrey's chair.  He leaned back in his own chair as he finished his lemonade--completely missing the questioning look Aubrey's grandmother gave her, and the soft blush that that look caused to appear on Aubrey's cheeks.  He was too busy soaking in the fact that Aubrey had successfully accomplished her task of making him feel like a normal guy for a day.  And it wasn't even one o'clock yet.

~~~~~~

"Okay," Justin said as he sat down next to Aubrey at the table later that afternoon.  After lunch had been cleaned up they'd gone grocery shopping for her grandmother, a task she was hoping wouldn't turn out to be a mistake.  Out of all the things she'd had planned today, this was the one that could ruin his "normal" day.  Fortunately, luck was on their side--luck, and the fact that her grandmother lived in a mostly retired neighborhood.  The few people they'd run into in the store hadn't seemed to recognize who Justin was, except for the girl who had been their checker.  She had done a double take as Aubrey and Justin had gotten into line but hadn't said anything to them, probably assuming he was just a guy who looked like Justin Timberlake--much like Aubrey had done when she'd first met Justin in the park. 

"Are we going to do this like we're in elementary school or high school?" He asked as she pulled her notebook and Algebra textbook from her backpack. 

"What's the difference?" Aubrey asked as she looked over at him.  He'd been a really good sport about everything she'd made him do today.  It wasn't just any guy that would show up not knowing what to expect then spend all morning doing yard work without complaint, go on a very routine trip to the grocery store, and follow it all up with some boring math homework. 

But, he said he wanted to be normal.  She reminded herself.  And this has been a very normal day for me.

"You know." He grinned.  "If we were in elementary school we'd really be doing homework." 

"And if we were in high school?" She questioned, putting her elbow up on the table and resting her chin in her hand. 

"If we were in high school," he said, scooting his chair closer towards her.  "We'd say we were doing homework, but really we'd be making out the entire time."

Aubrey lifted a brow at his explanation.  "Which one do you want?" She asked, immediately feeling her cheeks warm at her forward question.  She'd never been confident or accomplished when it came to flirting with guys but there was just something about this man that brought out her inner tease.  She watched as his blue eyes began to sparkle mischievously, the corners of his lips twitching as he fought to keep a straight face.

"Do you really want to know?" He questioned.  Aubrey felt a smile spread across her face and she drew her bottom lip between her teeth as she looked at him.  He leaned towards her again and she felt her heart start to race--sure that he was going to kiss her...until Grams let out a snore from where she was napping on the couch. 

Justin hung his head and Aubrey chuckled quietly.  "Maybe we should pretend we're in elementary school for now." She said.

He looked over his shoulder at her sleeping grandmother then back at her.  "Good idea." He said, winking at her.  Aubrey's heart skipped and she took a deep breath, trying to clear her mind of all its ridiculous and unwanted thoughts that revolved around this man.  She peeked over at him as he scooted closer to her, putting one arm up on the back of her chair like he'd done at lunch.  She took another deep breath that should have been calming but only succeeded in bombarding her with the musky scent of his aftershave and she cursed her female hormones for immediately kicking into high gear at that scent.  She closed her eyes and concentrated hard on getting her heart rate evened out.

Developing a crush on Justin Timberlake would serve no purpose other than to leave her heartbroken when he eventually figured out how boring and ordinary she was and returned to the glamorous and fast-paced life he'd lead for the majority of his life.  But as she opened her eyes and looked over at him, her eyes connecting with his, she knew she was already gone. 

"Which problem are we working on first?"

~~~~~~

"Can I ask you a question?" Justin asked as they sat on the couch watching a movie that night-finishing out their rather ordinary but perfect day.  Aubrey looked over at him.

"Sure." She replied.

"How many guys have you been with?" He asked.

She looked at him for a moment, completely taken aback at his question.  "What do you mean by, ‘been with'?" She asked, wanting him to clarify, though she knew what he meant.

"You know..." He cleared his throat.  "How many guys have you...nevermind." He said turning his attention back to the movie.  "Forget I asked."

"None." Aubrey answered quietly, looking away and closing her eyes tightly.  She grimaced as she waited for his response.  Justin was silent so long she finally opened her eyes and looked over at him.  He sat looking at her as if she'd just told him she'd been abducted by aliens and they had told her they were planning to take over the Earth.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and looked away, ashamed.  It's nothing to be ashamed of.  She told herself. 

"I'm sorry." Justin finally said, breaking the awkward silence between them.  "Did you say..."

"None." Aubrey finished for him when he faltered again.  "Yes."

"How is that even possible?" He asked sitting up and giving her the most confused look she'd ever seen.

"Would you stop looking at me like I've suddenly grown another head?" She asked, feeling her cheeks burning.

"I'm sorry." He said.  "I'm just finding it a little hard to wrap my head around this.  Are you Amish?" He asked.

"What?" Aubrey replied.  "No.  Why?"

"I thought they were the only ones who didn't ever have sex." He replied.

"I just...haven't had the right opportunity presented to me." She answered, taking a deep breath.  "That doesn't mean something's wrong with me."

"I didn't say there was something wrong with you." He said.  "I just...I just don't understand.  You have you at least kissed a guy before, right?" He asked.

"Yes." Aubrey nodded. 

"And?" He questioned.

"And what?" Aubrey chuckled self-consciously.  "Do you want a detailed description of it?" 

"No." Justin shook his head. 

"I kissed Andrew when we were dating." She told him.  "Granted I never really understood what the big deal was about it but--"

"That's because you haven't been kissed the right way." He mumbled under his breath.

"What?" Aubrey asked, smiling as she leaned towards him in an attempt to hear what he was saying.

"I said," He replied, leaning towards her.  "That's because you obviously haven't been kissed the right way."

Aubrey swallowed as her eyes remained locked on his.  "What..." she cleared her throat.  "What's the right way?" She asked, suddenly feeling like the temperature in the room had risen ten degrees.  Justin's eyes darkened visibly and Aubrey's heart started to race.

"Do you really want to know?" He asked his voice low and gruff.  A shiver skirted down Aubrey's spine as his intoxicating scent overwhelmed her again. 

"Are you going to show me?" She asked.

"I don't think you're quite ready for me yet." He replied though he leaned towards her more, closing the space between them.  

"Pity." Aubrey breathed, closing her eyes--her lips parting in anticipation.  Justin placed his fingers under her chin and tilted her face towards his. 

With the first touch of his lips on hers Aubrey felt certain her heart stopped and she swore the Earth tilted.  As he kissed her slowly--taking his time and patiently teaching her how to kiss him back properly--he brought his other hand up, his fingertips softly touching her face and she felt herself falling even harder for this man.  As his lips moved gently against her own Aubrey realized he was quickly becoming the center of her universe. 

Justin pulled back after a several more soft, perfect kisses but she kept her eyes closed, trying desperately to hold onto the feelings surrounding her.  She'd never felt like this before and never wanted it to end.  He rubbed his thumb across her bottom lip. 

"That's a real kiss." He replied in a whisper.

~~~~~

Aubrey's eyes opened and she sighed in disappointment as she was met with only the darkness of her bedroom, instead of Justin's clear, blue eyes.  She rolled over and stared at the wall as she curled up beneath the covers.  Her eyes caught sight of the clock on her nightstand--noticing it was only two-thirty in the morning--as she tried to ward off the depression that came at realizing that what had just happened had been only a dream.  She tried closing her eyes and going back to sleep, but all she could see was Justin's eyes as he'd leaned towards her.  All she could feel was the way her heart had started to race in that perfect moment of anticipation and then his lips against hers and she knew she was in trouble.  It was hopeless.

She was falling for Justin Timberlake.

End Notes:
I love all of your reviews...keep 'em coming!  I like to know what you guys are thinking :)
Chapter 9 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Just so you can all adequately picture the scenes in this next chapter...Andrew = Channing Tatum :)
"Have you ever been to the San Diego Zoo?" Andrew asked Monday evening when he called. 

"No." Aubrey shook her head as she sat on her bed. 

"Do you want to go this weekend?" He asked.  Aubrey leaned her head back against the wall. 

Say yes. Common sense told her.  Andrew was a great guy--he was handsome, charming, sweet and they had a history together.  She knew he really liked her. 

But he's not Justin. Her heart argued.  Aubrey closed her eyes.

Of course he's not Justin.  She argued back.  But Justin is a superstar playboy.  All he's going to do is break my heart.   

"Yes." She said out loud, before she could change her mind.  She knew she needed to forget about her hopeless infatuation with a certain blue eyed, smooth charming, super star singer.  Though she still got goose bumps when she thought about the dream she'd had where she'd kissed him, she knew there was no possible way anything like that would ever happen between her and Justin.

"When do you want to go?" Andrew asked, breaking her from her thoughts.

"Uh..." Aubrey thought.  "I'm teaching on Saturday but I can come down on Sunday.  How does that sound?"

"Sounds great." Andrew replied and she was surprised to find herself smiling at the excitement that was evident in his voice. 

"What time?"

"How about I meet you out front at ten?" He said.

"Alright." Aubrey nodded, though she was alone in her room.  "I can't wait." She said, surprised to realize she wasn't lying.  She actually was looking forward to spending time with Andrew.  Aubrey hadn't realized how lonely she had been until these two men had come into her life and shown her what she'd been missing in her life.  She was suddenly craving some male attention and Andrew was willingly offering the companionship she was looking for.  She knew it wasn't fair to him to keep agreeing to see him when she knew her feelings weren't as deep as his were--but she couldn't help it.  It was hard to say no when he was the only one showing any kind of interest in her.

As she hung up with Andrew she fell over on her side.  "I'm a horrible person." She mumbled into her pillow, suddenly feeling guilty for continuing to lead him on.  "Why on Earth does he like me?"

~~~~~~

"I've heard you need about three days to see everything here." Andrew said Sunday morning as they stood in line at the zoo to buy their entrance passes.  "But we've only got one so, what do you want to see?"

Aubrey scrunched up her nose as she thought and Andrew thought she looked adorable.  "Um..." she paused.  "I've heard the panda exhibit is really cool." She said, her eyes meeting his and Andrew smiled.  Two years and he was still just as smitten with her as he'd been the first time he'd met her when they'd been teenagers.  He had tried, since she'd told him she thought they should break up, to leave her in his past but he couldn't.  As they approached the ticket counter and he paid for them to get into the park, he wondered what she'd say if she knew that he kept a picture of her in his wallet; that that picture--and the memories he had of her--had helped keep him sane while he had been overseas.   

"Is that all you want to see?" He asked.  "The pandas?"

"Well no." She laughed softly.

"What's your favorite animals?" He asked, trying to pull the information from her.  He should know this little bit of information about her, but for the life of him he couldn't remember ever discussing this with her before.  Aubrey had always been a hard one to get to open up, but once she did he found he couldn't stay away. 

~~~~~~ 

"The hippos are some of my favorites." Aubrey said, as she tucked her hair behind her ear and hitched her purse higher on her shoulder.  She looked over at Andrew as he stood looking at her.  Even though she'd found herself nervous and excited all morning as she'd gotten ready and driven the hour south that separated Los Angeles and San Diego, she know felt a bit awkward around this man. 

It was like she was going on a first date with him all over again and she could just see the ecstatic look on her mother's face when she found out about it.  Aubrey chuckled to herself.  She had grudgingly come to admit over the last week that her mother had been right.  It had been several years since she and Andrew had broken up.  They were both different people now and she was willing to give this a chance--to see if things had changed. 

Aubrey kept watching him as they walked, asking herself for the millionth time why she wasn't falling head over heels for this man.  If she were any other girl she was sure she'd have been swept off her feet by now.  If she hadn't insisted on breaking off their relationship all those years ago they would have no doubt been married by now.  She wondered, as they walked along among the other zoo goers, how different her life would have been if she'd followed the path that had been set before her at seventeen.  Again her eyes strayed to Andrew-tracing his profile.  He really is devastatingly handsome.  She mused.  I wonder if there's something wrong with me.    Andrew turned to look at her and Aubrey felt like a child who'd just been caught with their hand in the cookie jar. 

"Why are the hippos your favorite?" Andrew asked. 

"Because they're content being who they are." She replied as they started walking along the paved walkway.  They passed several gift shops and Aubrey made a mental note to stop in on their way out.  She wanted to make sure to get a souvenir of some sort. 

"Meaning?" Andrew questioned as he looked down at the map he'd grabbed in his hands.  "This way." He said, leading her down one of the many paths that branched off the main strip.

"Meaning," Aubrey replied.  "They're fat and happy and it gives me comfort--knowing someday someone will love me in spite of myself."

"If you're saying you're fat, I'm going to have to disagree with you." Andrew said looking over at her.  His blue eyes appraised her warmly and Aubrey felt a blush creep across her cheeks.  She didn't care who you were, when a man--any man--looked at you like Andrew was, it made you feel pretty good about yourself.  "You're perfect." He told her.

"Thanks." She replied with a smile.  "But I think you're a little biased.  You've known me a long time and we both know that I'm far from perfect."

"That doesn't matter." He said.  "I've always thought you were beautiful."

Aubrey looked at Andrew in disbelief for a moment, not at all sure how to respond to his admission.  She felt her cheeks warm again and--as with Justin--she wished her emotions weren't so readily displayed for all to see.  She cleared her throat and tucked her hair behind her ears as they kept walking.  From the corner of her eye she saw Andrew offer her his arm.  Her heart leapt up into her throat and she was paralyzed for a moment.  What do I do?  She thought frantically.  Then, finally, deciding to pretend she hadn't seen the gesture Aubrey stopped in front of the habitat they were passing--feigning interest in whatever it was that was supposed to be in the enclosure.  She searched for the animal that was supposed to be on display but she couldn't find anything.  Of course.  Andrew stepped up beside her and Aubrey reached out, gripping the rail in front of her.

"Do you and Michael still keep in contact?" She asked, hoping to move past this awkward feeling surrounding her at the moment.  She'd begun to think perhaps she was beginning to feel something for Andrew, but the panic attack she'd just had let her know she wasn't.  As mush as she wanted to, it seemed nothing had changed over the last two years. 

"We email." Andrew said.  "It's easier.  It's hard to talk when you're over there.  You never know where you're going to be or what kind of reception you'll have."

Aubrey looked over at him.  "What's it like?" She asked.  "Being over there?"  Andrew turned to look at her, his blue eyes serious as they observed her.  "Michael's told me some things but I know he's probably sugar coating it."

"It's..." Andrew blew out a breath as he pushed away from the rail.  "It's rough." He finally said, shoving his hands into his pockets.  Aubrey fell in step beside him as they continued walking.  "I'm sure Michael has sugar coated things."  He said looking over at her.  "There're things that go on over there that you don't want to know about."

"I'm not a child, Andrew." Aubrey said in defense of her age.  "I'm tougher than you think."

"I know you are." He replied.  "But...I'm not sure I'm ready to talk about it.  Frankly, there's a lot I'm trying to forget."

"I'm sorry." Aubrey said sincerely.  She could only imagine what he was going through--and even with as good as her imagination was she was sure it would come up short.

~~~~~

Andrew felt guilty about not being able to tell Aubrey what she wanted to know--he just couldn't.  Maybe when some more time had passed, but for right now everything was just too fresh in his mind. 

As a little boy he'd wanted to be a real life G.I. Joe.  Little did he know the toll it would take.  Growing up his dad had been his hero and he'd wanted to be just like him.  The Army offered an easy way to get through college however, during basic training he'd discovered fighting wasn't something he wanted to do but there was too much expectation on him to keep up the family traditions of being in the armed forces for him to quit.  Luckily he'd seemed to find his niche--linguistics--and had been content spending his days behind a desk.  He never thought his number would actually be called up.

He'd spent eighteen months over in Iraq-eighteen months he'd like very much to forget.  In all his basic training exercises he was never taught how to deal with actually having to kill another human being and the action still caused him to feel physically ill when he thought about it too much.  After a month over there he'd been tempted to desert, but he knew he'd never be able to look his father in the eye and explain why he'd left so he stayed--a decision he regretted every single day.

"This place is great." Aubrey said startling him from his morbid thoughts.  Andrew looked over at her.  "You know what else I love?  The polar bears." She grinned.  "I love watching them play and splash around in the water.  I think they're cute."

"Let's go find ‘em." He said, thankful she'd agreed to come today.  He'd quickly discovered that when he was around her it was easier to forget the ghosts that were haunting him.  Aubrey symbolized normalcy and her quiet acceptance of him was just the antidote his wounded spirit had been searching for.

~~~~~~ 

Two hours later--after wandering around the zoo and looking at all the exhibits Aubrey wanted to see--she and Andrew sat down at a small outside table and began eating the ridiculously over-priced cheeseburgers they'd ordered.

"Okay," she said washing down the bite she'd just taken with a sip of her Diet Coke.  Andrew looked at her expectantly.  "It's your turn." She told him.  "We've spent all morning seeing and I wanted to see." She took another bite.  "What do you want to see?"

"It doesn't matter to me." He replied. "I'm easy." Aubrey rolled her eyes.  "What?" He chuckled.

"There's nothing you want to see while we're here?" She looked at him for a moment, trying to gauge his reaction and read his thoughts.  "Why did you decide this was where you wanted to come today?" She asked leaning back in her chair.

"I thought it would be a safe, non-threatening place for us to spend some time together." He replied as if he'd memorized his answer.  Aubrey watched him closely, trying to figure him out--a task that wasn't as easy as it had once been.

As the morning had progressed they'd eventually fallen into easy and comfortable conversation.  As they'd joked around with each other Aubrey felt herself slowly relaxing around him.  He'd clammed up when she'd asked him about his time overseas but seemed to have forgiven her for the painful memories she had unwittingly uncovered.  More than once she'd found herself wanting to reach out and take his hand but each time something inside had held her back.  While she wanted to offer him the reassurance and comfort he seemed to need.  She knew he'd take the physical gesture the wrong way and she just couldn't bring herself to do it. 

"What's your favorite animal?" She asked leaning forward and taking another bite of her burger.  She was determined to get an answer from him.

"Wolves." He finally responded and Aubrey smiled.

"There, that wasn't so hard, was it?" She asked and he chuckled.  After finishing their lunch and finding a restroom they were on their way again. 

Destination: Wolf habitat.

~~~~~~ 

"I know I should have probably asked you this before we went out last Friday but," Andrew paused and Aubrey turned to look at him.  "Are you...are you dating anyone right now?"

"Um..." He watched as she tucked her hair behind her ears--a gesture he knew indicated she was either nervous or uncomfortable with a situation.  "No." She finally drawled.

"Why did you hesitate?" He asked, his curiosity piqued.

"I'm not dating anyone." She replied, looking at him.

"But?" He questioned, sensing there was more to her answer.

"But..." She sighed.  "There is someone I'm interested in."  He lifted a brow, definitely interest now.  "He's, um...well he's...we've spent some time together the last couple weeks and I..." She laughed self-consciously.  "It's silly really." She waved a hand through the air.

"Why?" He questioned, interested to know why she was having such a difficult time giving him a straight answer.

"Because he doesn't know I like him." She said, finally meeting his curious stare.  "There's no way he'd ever be interested in me or return my feelings."

"Is he blind?" Andrew questioned.  He didn't understand how any red-blooded male wouldn't be completely enamored with this woman at first sight. 

"It's complicated." Aubrey replied as she kept walking.

"How complicated could it be?" He pressed.

Aubrey looked over at him.  "You've got your secrets and I've got mine." She said.  "Let's just leave it at that for right now."

Andrew was quiet for a moment, trying to come up with a response but he came up empty handed.  He wanted to press her for more information on this guy she was interested in but knew he couldn't.  She'd given him space and hadn't pushed to get an answer from him earlier about his time in Iraq and she deserved the same courtesy.  Hopefully with time they'd be able to build their relationship back up to where it had been.  Before they'd stopped dating they'd been fairly open with each other--he knew he was one of the few, if not the only one, outside of her family that knew about the medical issues she'd dealt with in the past--and he was determined to get back to that same level of comfort with her.  She'd written him off once before, but he wasn't going to let it happen again.

~~~~~~

"Hi, this is Aubrey.  Sorry I couldn't answer.  Leave me a message and I promise I'll call you back."

Justin smiled at Aubrey's recorded greeting as he sat on his couch Sunday afternoon and waited to leave his message.  He'd called, hoping she was home and interested in maybe talking for a little while.  He'd been thinking about the day they'd spent together last Sunday all week and couldn't help the smile that came to his face every time he did.  He didn't know what it was, but there was just something about this girl that intrigued him; something that pulled him towards her. 

The electronic beep in his ear brought him from his thoughts and he shook his head.  "Hey, it's Justin." He said.  "I was just calling to see if you needed anymore help with your homework.  I had fun last weekend.  Maybe this time we can pretend that we're in high school."  Justin pulled the phone away from his ear as the words left his mouth and looked at the device as if he'd never seen it before. 

Where the hell did that come from? He wondered, quickly holding the phone against his ear again.  He breathed a sigh of relief when he was given the option to re-record his voicemail.  Pressing the correct button he began recording a different message.  "Hey, it's Justin.  Listen, I was just calling..." he looked down as Brennan came up to him and licked his hand.  He smiled as an idea came to him.  "Brennan wanted me to call and see if you could come over and play but I guess you're busy so I'll just talk to you later.  Bye."  With the push of a button he sent the message and hung up the phone.  "Sorry girl." He said, scratching the boxer behind the ears.  "She's not home.  We'll have to play another day."   

~~~~~~

"Wolves have always been my favorite." Andrew said as they finally reached the animal's habitat.  Aubrey watched as the pair of grey wolves in the enclosure lay down together under the shade of a tree.

"Why?" She asked.

"They're amazing creatures." Andrew continued.  "Did you know they're one of the few animals that mate for life?"  Aubrey turned to look at him, her heart starting to pound in her chest at the intense look he was giving her.  "The male finds a female he admires; one whom he views as the strongest and most compatible with him and he stays by her side.  Forever." He finished quietly.

Aubrey watched him, her heart really beginning to pound now.  She recognized the look in his eyes-it was the same look he'd given her last weekend when he'd walked her to her door.  She watched as Andrew leaned towards her--giving her ample time and opportunity to stop him.  Did she want to stop him?  She knew what was coming and, like last Friday night, she found herself torn.  On the one side she was curious about whether or not anything had changed between them in this area.  And on the other, she just wanted someone to kiss her.  She wanted to know that someone was attracted to her enough to share that intimate act with her.  It had been a while.

Andrew raised one hand--his fingers brushing her hair back--before he pressed his lips against hers softly.  Aubrey closed her eyes, the feel of his lips were familiar to her but so was the absence of any profound feeling or emotion.  Andrew pulled back after a brief moment, his eyes delving into hers and she wished she could give him what she knew he was searching for.

"Nothing?" He asked quietly, reading the look in her eyes.  Aubrey bit her bottom lip as she shook her head.  Andrew sighed as he pulled away.

"I'm sorry." She said.  "I don't know what's wrong with me." She turned from him.

"Nothing's wrong with you, Aubrey." He insisted.  "Maybe it just needs some time.  It's been a while."  She turned back to look at him.  "Give us another chance."

As Aubrey looked at him--his blue eyes pleading with her--all she could hear was her mother's voice in her head and the promise she'd made to give this man another honest chance if he came back into her life.  What else could she do but accept his request? 

With a sigh she nodded her head.

~~~~~~

A few hours later found Aubrey walking back to her car, a sigh escaping her lips as she got into her blue SUV.  Once the door was shut the enormity of the decision she'd made earlier weighed down on her. 

"What did I do?" She groaned as she put her forehead against the steering wheel.  She heard laughter coming from outside and raised her head, her eyes locking on the couple walking past.  The girl laughed as the guy she was with pulled her close and kissed her.  That could be me. Aubrey thought as she sat up and started her car. 

Her mind refused to leave the conversation she'd had with Andrew in front of the wolf habitat.  She'd agreed to give their relationship another chance but what did that mean?  Were they dating now?  Was he going to be expecting more from her in the way of physical affection?  Was she okay with that?  What would her mother say when she found out?

Aubrey let out another groan as all these thoughts swirled around in her head.  Reaching for her phone she found herself wishing she and Rachel were closer.  Why don't I have a sister?  She wondered glancing down at her phone, really needing someone to talk to.  She was surprised to find she'd missed a call.  As she flipped her phone open and saw who it was that had left her a message her heart did a flip. 

"Justin." She whispered to herself, a smile coming to her face.  Aubrey put in her Bluetooth and listened to the message he'd left as she got on the freeway.  She smiled as his voice came over the line and she wished she'd been available to take his call earlier.

Exiting her voicemail system Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she argued with herself as to whether or not to call him back.  Finally, deciding she'd be crazy not to--after all how often did Justin Timberlake call and leave a message for you?--she found his number in her contact list and initiated the call.

~~~~~

"Hello?" Justin asked answering his phone, a smile on his face at who he knew was on the other end.

"Hi." She said.  "It's...it's Aubrey."

"I know who you are." He replied.  "I've been waiting for you to call me back."

"Really?" She asked sounding surprised.

"Yeah." He replied, his grin growing bigger though no one was with him to see it.  He plopped down on the couch.  "I've just been sitting here, waiting for the phone to ring."

"No you haven't." She laughed.

"Where you been, girl?" He asked with a chuckle.

"The zoo." Aubrey replied.

"The zoo?" He questioned, his brow furrowing in curiosity.  "By yourself?"

"No, with a...a friend." She stumbled over her answer and he narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

"A friend?"

"Yeah." She answered non-comittaly.

"Any particular friend?" He kept pressing; something inside reacting to the fact that she'd been spending time with someone else--thus making her inaccessible to him when he'd wanted to talk to her.

"Yeah, I um..." Aubrey paused then let out a heavy sigh.  "It was Andrew." She finally confessed.  Justin was quiet for a moment, his mind taking a moment to process what she'd just told him.  From what he remembered of their conversation about the guy last weekend she hadn't seemed that excited about him showing back up in her life. 

"Are you guys..." he paused, wondering why all the sudden he felt irritated at the fact that she'd just spent all day with her ex-boyfriend.  "Are you guys back together?" He asked.

"No.  Well, yes...I mean...I don't know." She let out a groan of frustration and he wished he were talking face to face with her.  Her eyes gave away all her secrets.  Without them he felt like he was walking blind here. 

"What do you mean you don't know?" He asked with a confused chuckle.

"It's...complicated." She replied. 

"Try me." He laughed.  "I think I know a thing or two about being in a complicated relationship."  Justin heard Aubrey laugh softly and waited for her to reply.

"He kissed me." She confessed and again he felt a flair of...something.  If he didn't know better he'd say he was jealous but he pushed the thought away as quickly as it came.  It's Aubrey!  He reminded himself.  We're just friends.

"And?" He questioned, trying to keep his thoughts focused.

"And..." Again she sighed and again he wished he could watch her expressive eyes as she was talking.  "I don't know."

There was silence on the line for a few seconds then Justin finally spoke.  "I'm kind of sensing there's more here than you're telling me." He stated.

"I'm...I guess I'm just confused." She finally said. 

"What exactly are you confused about?" He asked.

"Everything." Aubrey sighed again.

"You're going to have to give me more than that, Aubrey." He chuckled though he was frustrated that she was being so cryptic.  What the hell is she trying to hide? He wondered.

"I know.  I just...I don't know what's going on anymore." She mumbled.

"Well...what do you know?" He asked.

~~~~~

What do I know?  Aubrey pondered Justin's question for a moment as she drove on the freeway.  Well, for one thing, I know that a month ago I never would have believed I'd be having this conversation with you!

"I know my mother is going to be ecstatic when she finds out about this." She finally said.  "I know that Andrew's a great guy and I know that he and I have fun together." She continued, wondering why she was extolling Andrew's virtues to Justin.  With his line of questioning it seemed like he was probing, trying to get her to admit to liking Andrew and she was getting frustrated.  Although she knew it was ridiculous, a part of her had hoped that Justin would get insanely jealous when she told him about her date and the kiss they'd shared and demand that she not see Andrew again.  Another part of her knew that if she told Justin much more he'd think she wasn't available and then all hope of him ever coming to see her as more than a friend went right out the window. 

"Do you want to get back together with him?" Justin asked. 

"I don't know." Aubrey replied. 

"I'm really beginning to hate that answer." Justin grumbled. 

"I'm sorry." Aubrey replied.  "I'm not sure how to articulate what I'm feeling right now."

"Articulate, huh?" Justin chuckled.  "That's a pretty big word, there."

"Shut up." Aubrey replied with a chuckle as she propped her elbow up on the car door and put her fingers into her hair.  "I wasn't expecting him to kiss me." She finally admitted.  "And I sort of agreed to give our relationship another chance."

"Wow." Justin replied.

"Yeah." Aubrey sighed.  They were both quiet for a few moments.  "What do I do?" She asked.

"You're asking me?" Justin replied, sounding skeptical.

"Well, yeah." She answered.  "You're a guy.  What do I do?  What's the next step?"

Justin laughed humorlessly.  "I'm not so sure I'm the one you should be coming to for relationship advice, Aubrey." He told her.  "I don't really have the best track record when it comes to girls.  Something always seems to go wrong after a few years.  I haven't quite figured it out..." He trailed off.  "Here's the question." He said, jumping back into the conversation before Aubrey could respond.  "Do you want to be back together with this guy?"

"I feel like I owe it to him." She replied.

"Don't do him any favors." He said with a wry chuckle.   "Why did you agree to give the relationship another go?"

Aubrey was quiet for a moment as she thought about Justin's question.  "Because I don't think I gave him a fair chance before." She finally answered.  "I broke it off with him because I...I was nineteen!  I didn't want to be stuck being an army wife for the rest of my life.  I didn't want to sit home and watch my husband go off to war, never knowing if he'd come back.  Always having to move from base to base, never having a permanent place to call home..."

"What changed your mind?" Justin asked quietly.

"Time." She answered.  "We're both different people now and I don't want to look back and wonder if I missed out on my one chance of having someone love me because I was too afraid and stubborn to see a good guy when he was standing right in front of me."

"This isn't your one and only chance, Aubrey." Justin replied.

"How do you know?" She asked. 

"I just do." He answered firmly.    

Again silence descended between them.  This wasn't exactly the way Aubrey thought this conversation would go and she was feeling even more confused then when she'd said good-bye to Andrew.  Justin hadn't reacted at all like she'd hoped for and was now confusing her even more.  What did he mean he knew this wasn't her one chance at love?  He had no way of knowing that any more than she did! 

Aubrey looked down at her phone when it beeped, indicating another call coming in.  Mom.  "Hey, I gotta go." She told Justin.  "My mom's calling on the other line."

"Okay." He replied.  "I'll call you later.  Brennan still wants you to come over and play."

Aubrey smiled.  She'd completely forgotten the reason he'd called and left her a message in the first place.  "Tell her I'm sorry it didn't work out today but we'll try and plan something soon."

Justin chuckled.  "Alright.  See ya."

"Bye." Aubrey ended the call with Justin but was too late to answer her mother's call.  She was about to call her back when she received a message saying she had a new voicemail message.  Connecting once more to her voicemail system Aubrey listened as her mother's recorded voice played back to her.

"Hi, honey, it's Mom.  I was just calling because I just got off the phone with Shirley and she said you and Andrew went out last weekend.  Why didn't you tell me?!  I want to hear all about it!  Aren't you glad I made you promise to give him another chance?  Call me back, we have a lot to talk about.  Bye."

Aubrey rolled her eyes at her mother's excitement.  I knew it.  She shook her head.  Two dates in and she's already planning the wedding.   

Chapter 10 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
It's Friday and I'm feeling generous!  :)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:27:09

Subject: Captain's Log

To: freckles_21@yahoo.com

From: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

Freckles,

This week is my two year mark.  Hard to believe it's been that long, huh?  Some days time seems to move at the speed of light and it seems like I've only been here a day or two and other times I feel each and every day.  It's especially hard being here when I know I'm missing things at home like holidays and birthdays.  (That's my way of wishing you an early Happy Birthday!)

I got your package last week and I felt bad.  You should be the one getting a package from me, not the other way around but know that I'll be thinking about you on Saturday (do you have big party plans?). The cookies and candy bars are awesome!  Several guys pledged their love for you and vowed if you were still available when they got home they would marry you.  So there you go!  Hope isn't gone...you've got some options! :)

I gotta go.  I have some Oreo's to guard.  I just wanted to send you a quick note.  I'll write more later.

-Michael

Aubrey laughed softly as she read her brother's email Monday morning--thankful for the comic relief he had unknowingly provided in her life.  Between her date with Andrew yesterday, the frustrating conversation with Justin afterwards and having to try and convince her mother last night that just because she and Andrew had gone out it didn't mean they were getting married, she was about ready to scream.  She had needed the laugh her brother was always about to provide and suddenly missed him.  She needed a hug and a reassuring smile from him. 

Opening a new email message, Aubrey began her reply.

Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:34:57

Subject: Secretary Diaries

To: desertrat@mail.mil.gov  

From: freckles_21@yahoo.com

Desert Rat,

I miss you.

Aubrey sat looking at her computer screen for a full minute.  Those three words said it all but she knew she couldn't send a message where that's all she said.  He'd know something was up--and even though there was--she didn't want him worrying about her.  He had enough on his mind being where he was to have to worry about his little sister and all her issues. 

With a sigh she sat up and began typing again.

I'm glad you got my package!  I was worried it wasn't going to get to you.  I sent it a few weeks ago and hadn't heard anything from you.  Thanks for the birthday wishes.  No.  No party plans.  No one here knows it's even my birthday (besides Grams of course).  But you know me--that's the way I like it.  I don't like people making a big deal out of it. 

Andrew finally made contact and we've gone out a couple times (please don't freak out like mom did when she found out).  We're taking it slow--getting to know each other again.  And then there's Justin...we spent all day together last Saturday and talked for quite a while on the phone last night but as much as I want him to see me as something different I think all I am is a friend to him.  Which is okay...I guess.  I'd rather be his friend than nothing at all but why is that all he wants?

So that's what I've been up to the last couple weeks--trying to forget about my birthday this weekend and trying to figure out why it is the man I want doesn't want me while trying to decide if I want the man who does want me. 

I wish you were here to tell me what to do.

-Aubrey

~~~~~~

"So..." Rachel drawled as she sat herself down on Aubrey's desk Monday afternoon, making herself comfortable.  Aubrey turned in her chair and looked at her friend.  Rachel sat, her legs crossed, flipping through a magazine.

"What's up?" Aubrey asked with a curious smile.

"Oh nothing." Rachel replied as she finished with the magazine and closed it.  She looked at the cover for a moment before putting it down on the desk and scooting it towards Aubrey.  "I found this last night at the grocery store and thought it was kind of interesting.  What do you think?" She asked.

Aubrey looked down at the magazine, her eyes going wide.  She put her hand over her mouth as her eyes darted to Rachel then back to the picture of herself and Justin on the cover of the magazine.  She stared at it--her mind unwilling to accept the fact that she was on the cover of a magazine being romantically linked to Justin Timberlake for the entire world to see! 

"Just friends, huh?" Rachel asked as she stood up.

"What?" Aubrey asked, finally coming out of her shock induced stupor and looking at Rachel.

Rachel lifted a knowing brow as she put one hand on her hip.  "To quote a friend of mine," she looked at Aubrey pointedly.  "‘Friendship is not what that man has in mind for you.'" She repeated the words Aubrey had said to her eight months ago when she and JC were just starting their relationship.

"What?" Aubrey asked again.  Her heart began pounding in her chest as she looked back at the photo, her cheeks burning.  "I don't..." She cleared her throat, and refused to meet Rachel's eyes.  "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Mmm-hmm." Rachel hummed clearly unconvinced.  She walked around the front desk and headed back towards her office.  "Welcome to the group." She offered with a smile and a wink as she finally disappeared around the corner. 

Aubrey put both elbows up on the desk and covered her face with her hands but she couldn't keep from looking at the picture again.  She picked up the magazine and, holding it in both hands, leaned back in her chair.  Cocking her head to the side she studied Justin's face--searching for evidence to contradict Rachel's assumptions that Justin was interested in her romantically.  The picture had been taken several weeks ago, the day Rachel had ditched them at the restaurant after they'd been shopping most of the day, and Aubrey found herself smiling as she remembered that fateful day.  As much as she'd wanted to be angry at Rachel for pulling that stunt she couldn't--because of Rachel and her unnecessary meddling Aubrey had been given the chance to get to know Justin on a more personal level.  Because of Rachel she'd been able to spend an entire day getting to know him in a way that she knew not very many people did. 

Aubrey brushed her thumb over his photographed image, a dreamy sigh escaping her lips.  Could he...No!  She shook her head and sat up, unwilling to finish her thought.  She wasn't going to get her hopes up.  The phone rang then and Aubrey reached for the receiver as she shoved the magazine into a drawer, thankful for the distraction. 

"Adams and Richards Interior Design." She answered pushing all of her ridiculous thoughts away--something she was becoming an expert at doing of late.  "How can I help you?"

~~~~~~

"Here you go."

Rachel looked up from her desk as Nicole handed her a card and envelope.  "What's this?" She asked taking it from her.

"Aubrey's birthday is on Saturday." Nicole said as she turned and left.

"What?!" Rachel exclaimed.  She looked at the card in her hand, her eyes slowly narrowing.  "So not cool." She muttered under her breath.  She quickly signed the office birthday card then stood and made her way towards the front desk.  "Um...why didn't you tell me your birthday was on Saturday?" She said as she leaned against the top of the desk.

Aubrey looked up in surprise.  "What?" She asked as she finished addressing the envelope in front of her. 

"Your birthday." Rachel said, brushing her hair over her shoulders.  "You failed to inform me that it was this weekend."

"I'm sorry." Aubrey replied.

"No you're not." Rachel countered.

~~~~~

Aubrey laughed as she looked up at her friend.  "It's not a big deal, Rachel.  It's just another day."  Rachel just looked at her as if she were crazy.  "I don't like people making a big deal out of it."

"We're going to celebrate." Rachel said.

"Did you not just hear me say I don't like people making a big deal out of it?" Aubrey asked.

"It won't be a big party." Rachel replied.

"That's right." Aubrey nodded.  "Because there's not going to be a party."

"Come on." Rachel plead.  "It's your birthday!  It's the one day of the year where you're aloud to get a little crazy and have some fun." Aubrey folded her arms across her chest as she looked at Rachel.  "It won't be big." Rachel promised.  "Just..." she paused and Aubrey watched as a light bulb literally went off above her friend's head and she began to feel nervous.  "It'll just be dinner.  Come over for dinner and some cake on Saturday." Rachel said with an excited smile.

"What are you up to?" Aubrey asked suspiciously. 

"Nothing." Rachel replied innocently.  Aubrey watched her closely for a moment.  "I promise." Rachel crossed her heart.

"Just dinner?" Aubrey asked.

"Just dinner." Rachel nodded.

"Not a big party?" Aubrey asked.  Rachel shook her head.  "Okay." Aubrey sighed.

"Yea!" Rachel giggled excitedly.  "Let's plan on seven." She said.  "I'll remind you on Friday.  You better not plan anything else in the meantime and back out on me." Rachel pointed a finger at her.

"I won't." Aubrey rolled her eyes though she smiled.  Rachel's excitement was infectious. 

"Promise?" Rachel asked.

"I promise." Aubrey assured her with a chuckle.  "Besides, you're the only other person who knows and cares that it's my birthday.  Who else would I make plans with?"

~~~~~~

"Hello?" Aubrey mumbled as she reached for her cell phone early Saturday morning.

"Hello?" The male voice on the other line was hard to hear at first due to the static on the line. 

"Yeah." She said, putting her hand over eyes as she groaned at being woken up so early.  She opened one eyes and looked over at her nightstand.  7:00 her clock read. 

"Freckles?"

Aubrey's eyes shot open.  "Michael?" She asked in surprise.

"How are you?" Her brother chuckled.

"Oh my gosh!" Aubrey replied as she sat up in bed.  "Is it really you?" She asked.

"Of course it's me!" He said.  "Who else calls you Freckles?"

"I can't believe it's really you!" Aubrey exclaimed.  "How are you?  What time is it over there?"

"Five o'clock." He answered.  "I'm about to go to the mess hall for dinner, but I wanted to catch you before you got going on your day.  I knew you'd still be in bed." Aubrey put her hand over her chest and closed her eyes as the sound of her brother's voice made her smile.  "Happy birthday." He said. 

"This is the best birthday present ever." She said.  "How in the world..."

"I have my ways." He replied with a laugh.  "Now, tell me what's going on."

"What do you mean?" Aubrey asked, tucking her hair behind her ear as she leaned back against her headboard.

"You said in your email on Monday that you wished I was there to tell you what to do.  Well," He said.  "Here I am.  Tell me what's going on."

"Oh..." Aubrey sighed as she pulled her knees up.  "I'm just being a ridiculous girl." She said, laughing at herself.  "You don't want to hear about all my issues.  I'm sorry about my email being such a downer."

"Are you okay?" He asked. 

"I will be."

"Promise?" He questioned.

"I promise." Aubrey nodded though he couldn't see her.  "One of these days I'll get it all figured out."

"So what are the party plans for today?" Michael asked changing the subject.

"Not much." Aubrey replied.  "I've got my swimming lessons that I teach in a few hours then I'm going over to a friend's house for dinner tonight.  She found out it was my birthday earlier this week and was upset that I hadn't said anything.  I told her I didn't want anyone making a big fuss over me but she insisted I come over to celebrate."

"You're crazy."  Her brother said.  "It's your birthday!  You should be taking full advantage of the fact and demanding that people spoil you."

Aubrey laughed.  "You know I'm not like that." She said. 

"I know." He replied.  "So how's Grams doing?"

They talked for another thirty minutes, until his phone card ran out.  Aubrey was sad to have to say good-bye to him, but grateful at the same time that he'd managed to find the time to call her and wish her a happy birthday.  It truly was, as she'd told him, the best birthday present ever. 

As Aubrey went through the rest of her day--finishing up her last math assignment before her final next week, teaching her three beginners swim classes, exchanging a few texts with Andrew, and going grocery shopping with Grams--she couldn't help the nervousness building inside of her.  All week Rachel had been giving her strange looks at work--as if she knew something that Aubrey didn't and she was just waiting for the right time to let her in on the secret.  Aubrey had seen the mischievous look in her friend's eyes when she'd been insisting they do something for her birthday.  She's planning something.  Aubrey thought.  And she's not telling me because she knows it's something I'm not going to like.

After helping her grandmother put the groceries away and taking a quick shower, Aubrey stood in front of her closet--trying to decide what to wear.  Her cell phone chimed from where she'd tossed it on her bed and she picked it up.  Opening the text message and reading it Aubrey couldn't help but wonder if Rachel were somehow psychic.

Wear the black dress you bought that day we went shopping last month.

Aubrey turned back to her closet and pulled out the article Rachel was referring to.  Hooking the hanger on the opened closet door, she stood back and looked at the dress.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she debated whether or not to wear it.  With a sigh she finally took it off of the hanger. 

"Why not?" She finally mumbled under her breath.  "If Rachel's cooking something up I might as well look good for whatever it is."

An hour later she parked her car in Rachel and JC's driveway and got out.  Smoothing her hands down the front of her dress she locked the SUV and walked towards the front door.  Nervously she rang the doorbell.  Why am I nervous?  She thought.  This is ridiculous!  It's just Rachel and JC.  There's nothing to be nervous about. 

Yet something inside told her tonight was going to turn out very differently than what she thought.

~~~~~

"Happy Birthday!" Rachel said as she opened the front door to find Aubrey standing on the front porch.  Rachel smiled excitedly when she saw Aubrey had followed her advice and worn the sexy black dress she'd talked her into buying.  This is perfect!  She thought, trying to hide her devious thoughts with a smile.   He's not going to know what hit him.  "Come in." She said ushering the other girl inside, closing the door behind her.

"Are you going to tell me why you said I should wear this dress tonight?" Aubrey asked as they walked across the foyer and back towards the kitchen.

"It's your birthday." Rachel replied.  "What more of an invitation do you need to get dressed up?" She asked with a smile.  Aubrey didn't look convinced so she put her arm around her shoulders.  "You look amazing!" She raved.

"Thanks, but I don't know what good it does me." Aubrey said.

"What do you mean?" Rachel asked, dropping her arm.

"The only guy that's here is the one you're currently engaged to." Aubrey reminded her.

"Hypothetically engaged to." Rachel clarified.  Aubrey looked at her, one eye brow raised in disbelief.  Rachel laughed.  "Don't worry about it." She said as the girls walked into the kitchen.  "You never know who may show up tonight." She continued under her breath.

"What?" Aubrey asked.

"Nothing." Rachel replied with a smile as she handed Aubrey a wine glass that had previously been filled.  "Come on." She said with a wave of her hand as she headed towards the back door.  "The guys are out here."

~~~~~

"The guys?" Aubrey asked pulling up short as Rachel's words registered.  Rachel looked at her innocently but Aubrey knew her well enough to know her innocence was just a rouse.  "Rachel who else did you invite tonight?" She asked, refusing to move another inch until she got a straight answer. 

"It's just you, me, JC and Justin." Rachel said lifting her own wine glass to her lips and taking a sip. 

"Justin?" Aubrey asked, the nervous butterflies in her stomach increasing exponentially as she heard a burst of male laughter coming from outside.  "Rachel!"  She exclaimed. 

"What?" Rachel asked.  "You made me promise not to make this a big deal, and I haven't, but did you really think we could celebrate with just the three of us?"

"Yes!" Aubrey replied.  Her eyes widening as the back door opened and the two men who had been outside came in.  Heaven help me.  Aubrey plead reaching behind her to place her glass on the counter before her trembling fingers could drop it-she didn't want a repeat of the whole soda incident.  Her breath caught as Justin stepped into the kitchen, looking amazing in a pair of jeans and a white striped shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows--a black tie and vest completing his outfit--and she felt a spark of electricity in the air as his blue eyes connected with hers.  As his eyes ran slowly down her body then back up in an obvious way she felt certain she was going to pass out.

~~~~~

Justin's laughter quieted as he followed JC into the house and was greeted by a sight he wasn't expecting.  He'd never seen anyone look as breathtaking as Aubrey did at the moment and he was having a difficult time accepting that the goddess standing in front of him was the same girl he'd taken paint balling and had gotten dirty with helping to do yard work a couple weekends ago.

His eyes connected with hers for a second before unabashedly taking her in again.  The black dress--with it's low cut halter top and multi-layered skirt that showed off one knee--hugged each and every one of her perfect curves, while the slinky stilettos on her feet made his mouth suddenly go dry.  He swallowed and finally forced himself to meet her eyes again.  She'd pulled her hair up, allowing a few tendrils to curl softly around her face and he felt certain his jaw was hanging open.

"This is the dress Aubrey bought that day we met for lunch." Rachel suddenly interjected.  "I told you the shoes we found were perfect."

"Yeah...perfect." Justin repeated, as his eyes once more traveled down her incredible body.

"Should we eat?" Rachel asked, her simple question breaking him from the daze he'd been in. 

"Yeah." Justin said, looking over at her.  He narrowed his eyes at the smug, cat-who-just-ate-the-canary look on Rachel's face and understanding dawned.  He'd been wondering why he was the only one at this supposed dinner party.  Now he knew.  This was all just another plot of hers to get him together with Aubrey.  She promised!  He exclaimed mentally.  In frustration--with himself for sizing Aubrey up as if she were a piece of meat and with Rachel for concocting this whole scheme of hers--he walked past Aubrey without saying another word, completely missing the hurt and confused look on her face as he left the room.  He knew it was rude of him to not even say hello after he'd just ogled her, but he didn't trust himself not to say something rude or embarrassing at the moment. 

Rachel had invited him to the "dinner party" she was having tonight earlier in the week and he'd accepted--thinking it would be a good excuse to meet some new people.  He'd been feeling anxious and more than a little bit frustrated lately and had decided he was ready to be in a relationship again.  He knew plenty of girls who were interested in him...the problem was he was finding himself less and less interested in the girls he normally associated with.  He had hoped that by coming to a dinner party that Rachel was hosting he'd meet people he normally wouldn't.  Had he known Aubrey would show up looking like she did...

He turned his head as the three other people in the house came and sat down at the table.  Once again he found himself staring at Aubrey.  Damn.  He thought as she sat down across from him.  She was beautiful.  Her eyes met his again and he felt a slow smile spread across his face.  He watched as a blush crept across her cheeks and she dropped her eyes again.  He cocked his head to the side as he continued watching her.  When she looked at him again he winked at her and chuckled to himself as her blush deepened and he wondered why, in all the time he'd spent with her, he'd never noticed how absolutely stunning her eyes were.

~~~~~

Aubrey tried very hard not to read anything into the looks Justin had been giving her all night but how could she not?  Every time she looked at him his blue eyes were fixed on her and every time she met them her stomach would quiver.  During the conversation that took place over the fettuccini alfredo Rachel had made, Aubrey looked over at her friend--her eyes narrowing at the smug look of satisfaction on Rachel's face as she looked at Aubrey and Justin.  Aubrey sat back in her chair as a light suddenly went off. 

This was the secret Rachel had had up her sleeve all week.  Here she'd been thinking Rachel had invited her over for dinner to celebrate her birthday and Justin being here was just some kind of magical coincidence but no!  Rachel was still trying to push her and Justin together and this had just been too good an opportunity for her to pass up.  Aubrey looked down at her plate--completely ignoring the conversation going on around her--as her anger built.  She felt humiliated sitting there in the stupid dress Rachel had convinced her to buy and wear tonight.  She looked like she'd been dressing up on purpose--to impress Justin--when really she'd had no idea he'd be here!  

How desperate do I look? She wondered as she pushed around the rest of the salad on her plate.  He must think I'm completely ridiculous and obvious.  She glanced up at Justin, relieved to find this was one of the times he wasn't looking at her.  She watched as he and JC talked, her eyes following his fork as he brought it up to his mouth.  She swallowed as they stayed focused there.  There was just something about his mouth that drew her in and she found herself wondering if his lips were as soft as they looked.  She recalled the way he had kissed her in her dream a few weeks ago.  I wonder what it would feel like to really kiss him.  She thought.  A shiver ran down her spine and she licked her lips as she reached for her glass of wine.  Why do I do this to myself? She wondered.  I'm just setting myself up to fall.

"What do you think, Aubrey?" Justin suddenly asked, pulling her into the conversation.

"What?" She asked, startled.  She looked at the three other people sitting at the table with her--all of them looking at her expectantly.  "I'm sorry." She said, chuckling self-consciously.  "I wasn't listening.  What was the question?"  Justin grinned, his blue eyes sparkling, and she wanted to kick him under the table.  How was it fair that he could affect her so easily with just a look? 

"Never mind." He said.  "It wasn't important."

"So did you do anything else to celebrate your birthday today?" Rachel asked as she took a bite.  Aubrey turned to answer her thankful for the distraction from the tension she could feel between herself and Justin.

"It's your birthday?" Justin asked, sounding shocked.  Aubrey looked back over at him and nodded.  "Why didn't you tell me?" He questioned sounding hurt.

"You never asked." She replied then turned to answer Rachel.  "My grandma and I are going to brunch tomorrow and my brother called me this morning." She said with a smile.

"From Iraq?" Rachel asked and Aubrey nodded.  "That's awesome!"

"Yeah it was." Aubrey replied.  "It was so good to hear his voice.  We talked for about forty-five minutes.  It was the best birthday surprise but it also made me realize how much I miss him."

"How long has he been over there?" JC asked, joining in.

"Two years." Aubrey told him.

"Woah.  That's a long time to be over there, isn't it?" He questioned.

"Yeah." Aubrey nodded.  "He was only supposed to be over there for a year but they extended it.  Supposedly he's coming home this summer but," she shrugged.  "We'll see."

"So that's the only thing you've done to celebrate?" Rachel asked.  "Talk to your brother over the phone?"

"Basically." Aubrey replied.  "I mean, my parent's sent me some money and I went shopping the other but..."  She trailed off as Rachel folded her arms and looked at her disapprovingly.  "What?" She questioned with a laugh.  "I told you I don't like people making a big deal out of my birthday."

"Andrew didn't do anything for you?" Justin asked, cocking his head to the side as he studied her intently.

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "But I don't think he even remembers today's my birthday.  It's no big deal." She tried to assure him.  "I promise."

"Andrew?" Rachel jumped in.  "Who's Andrew?"

"Her boyfriend." Justin answered for her.

"What?!" Rachel asked.

"He's not my boyfriend!" Aubrey exclaimed quickly then felt her cheeks warm as Justin, JC and Rachel all looked at her.  She took a deep breath to compose herself. "You know who Andrew is." She said looking over at Rachel.  "I told you about him.  He's not my boyfriend." She said looking across the table at Justin.  "We're just..."

"Don't say friends." Justin muttered under his breath as he brought his wine glass to his lips and Aubrey glared at him.  Why was he acting this way--like a spoiled brat?

"We've gone out on a few dates." She finished feeling more and more humiliated by the second.  Why are we even talking about this? She wondered, praying for someway to get out of the embarrassing conversation--she hated being the center of attention and she definitely wasn't ready to talk about Andrew or try to explain whatever it was that was going on between them.

"Oh." Rachel replied.  There was an awkward silence around the table.  "Well, who's ready for cake?" She asked, scooting her chair back and standing.  Three sets of eyes turned to look at her gratefully and Aubrey moved to stand up.  "No, no." Rachel said.  "You sit.  You're the birthday girl.  I'll bring the cake out.  Jace?" She asked putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah?" He questioned taking another bite. 

"Come help me." Rachel said firmly.  JC looked up at her for a moment.  His eyes returned to the table and the two people sitting across from each other then he stood and followed his girlfriend out of the room. 

~~~~~ 

"I thought you said she was going to stop meddling." Aubrey hissed as she leaned across the table once Rachel and JC had left.

"What are you talking about?" Justin questioned as he mimicked her body language and leaned over the table as well.

"Rachel." Aubrey continued.  "Do you know what she's doing right now?"

"Uh...getting the cake?" He replied flippantly.  Aubrey glared at him again and he struggled to keep a straight face.  He could see the anger flashing in her eyes but he couldn't help it.  It was just too much fun playing with her. 

"This isn't the time to be cute, Justin.  She's trying to set us up again." Aubrey said as she let out a groan of frustration and covered her eyes with her hand.  "She's trying to be sneaky but...oh, I knew she was up to something!" She continued as she shook her head.  "She's had this planned out all week.  She even told me to wear this dress--"

"Which looks amazing on you, by the way." He commented before he could stop the words from escaping.  He'd failed to notice the silver necklace around her neck earlier and the heart shaped pendant resting against her skin.  He didn't, however, fail to notice where his eyes were drawn thanks to that pendant and once again he found himself suffering from a distinct lack of moisture in his mouth.  I wonder--

"Thank you." Aubrey replied quietly.  His eyes met hers and he watched as a soft blush tinged her cheeks.

"Relax." Justin chuckled.  "Don't let her know she's getting to you.  She's waiting for some kind of reaction out of one of us.  If we don't give it to her, maybe she'll get the hint."

"You owe me." Aubrey said as she reached out and lifted her glass to her lips. 

"What?" He questioned, his eyes watching as she took a sip.  His body reacted to the way she pressed her lips to the glass and he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.  He wondered, briefly, what it would feel like if she were to press those full lips of hers against his.  He shook his head and looked away from her at the thought.  What the hell was going on?  It's definitely time I find a girlfriend.  He mused.  It's obviously been too long. 

"You owe me." She insisted, breaking him from his thoughts.  "It's time for you to hold up your end of our deal."  She pointed a finger at him.   "You told me she was going to leave us alone and I gave you what you wanted, but she's not so pay up."

Justin watched as Aubrey folded her arms across her chest and leaned back in her chair.  "Where do you want to go?" He asked, recalling her desire to travel somewhere exotic.

"Surprise me." She replied dryly.

~~~~~

"Who wants cake?" Rachel asked coming back in to the dining room--two plates in her hands.  She placed the pieces of chocolate cake in front of Aubrey and Justin, as JC set down the two plates he was carrying then sat down.  Rachel struck a match and lit the candle that was in Aubrey's piece then started singing "Happy Birthday."  Aubrey's cheeks warmed in embarrassment until Justin and JC joined Rachel singing.  She watched and listened in fascination as the two men sang together; their perfect harmonies making every female hormone in her body take notice.  She melted back into her chair.  When the song was finished Rachel sat down heavily in her chair.

"Whew!" Rachel said, fanning herself with her hand.  "They should be illegal, shouldn't they?" She said looking at Aubrey with a dazed look.

"Yeah." Aubrey replied.  "That was amazing." She said looking at Justin. 

"Are you going to blow out your candle?" He asked with a chuckle.

"Oh, yeah." Aubrey said leaning over and blowing the candle out.  "But seriously." She said.  "I've never heard a better rendition of Happy Birthday in my life.  If N SYNC never gets back together, you two should definitely do a duet album together or something."

Rachel laughed.  "They did." She said.  Aubrey turned to look at her in question.  "It was called, Celebrity."  Justin snorted in derision and JC rolled his eyes.  "I'll get you a copy." Rachel winked at her as she took a bite of the cake in front of her.

"So, what'd we miss?" Rachel asked, looking at Aubrey and Justin expectantly.  "What were you guys talking about in here?"

"Nothing." Aubrey replied trying to ignore the grin on Rachel's face.

"Here." Rachel said handing Aubrey a small wrapped present.

"Rachel!" Aubrey exclaimed in disapproval.  "You didn't have to get me anything."

"Of course I did." Rachel smiled.  "Happy Birthday."

~~~~~

Aubrey looked at the small box for a moment and Justin wished he'd known it was her birthday.  What he would have given her he hadn't a clue, but he would have come up with something.  He watched as she opened her gift.

"Oh my goodness!" Aubrey said as she pulled out the gift certificates. 

"Have you ever gotten a massage?" Rachel asked.  Aubrey shook her head.  "Seriously?!  They're amazing." She raved.  "And pedicures are my absolute favorite thing in the entire world."

"Really?" JC asked as he took a bite of his cake, his eyebrows rising in surprise.  "Your favorite thing?  In the entire world?" He pursed his lips as if in deep thought.  "That's interesting..."

"Knock it off!" Rachel laughed as she rolled her eyes at him.  "You know what I mean."

"You're going to come with me, right?" Aubrey asked Rachel.

"Are you kidding me?" Rachel grinned.  "Of course I am!  You pick the day and I'm there."

"Thank you." Aubrey smiled. 

"You're welcome." Rachel replied. 

Justin found himself watching Aubrey as the conversation picked up again around the table, trying to decide how to fulfill her request as well as she'd managed to fulfill his a few weeks ago.  Somewhere exotic.  He thought, taking a bite of his cake.  Where the hell am I going to take her?  This question and all the issues surrounding the prospect of taking Aubrey anywhere preoccupied him for the rest of the evening.  Before he knew it she was getting ready to leave.

"Thank you." Aubrey told Rachel again as she gave her a hug.  "I had fun tonight."

"I'm glad." Rachel smiled.  "We should get together more often, just the four of us."

Aubrey caught Justin's eye over Rachel's shoulder, a knowing glance passing between them.  She hadn't said a word but he'd heard her loud and clear.  You owe me.  Aubrey just smiled at Rachel as she opened the front door.  "Let me know when you want to go use those gift certificates."

"I will." Aubrey promised. 

"Drive safe." Rachel said.

"Thanks." Aubrey replied.  "I'll see you on Monday."  She turned to leave and Justin found himself walking after her. 

"I'm going to go to." Justin said, grabbing his keys.  "I'll walk out with you." He offered, completely missing the excited look on Rachel's face as he walked past her.  Aubrey's hazel eyes met his in surprise but the corners of her mouth lifted in a soft smile as she allowed him to walk with her out to her car.  An awkward silence descended between them for a moment until finally--in an attempt to cut through the thick tension surrounding them--he decided to call her on something he'd caught her doing earlier.

"Did they live up to they hype?" He asked.

"Excuse me?" Aubrey looked over at him in confusion.  "Did what live up to the hype?"

Justin struggled to keep a straight face as they approached her blue SUV.  "My lips." He replied. 

"What?!" Aubrey exclaimed, looking at him with wide eyes as she turned to face him. 

"Oh come on." He said taking a step towards her as a lazy smile spread across his face.  "It was obvious you couldn't keep your eyes off ‘em at dinner."

~~~~~

Aubrey swallowed and she took a step back as he took another step towards her.  She put her hands back on her car when she bumped into it and watched, wide-eyed, as Justin closed the space between them. 

"If you want to know what they feel like, all you have to do is ask." He said, his blue eyes holding hers captive. 

Aubrey's heart pounded in her chest as he leaned towards her, putting one hand up on the side of her car.  Against her better judgment her eyes dropped to his mouth and she watched as his perfect lips lifted in a smirk.  She raised her eyes to his again.  Cocky, arrogant..."I-I don't..." She stopped herself from denying any knowledge of what he was talking about.  He had seen her staring at him during dinner and was now calling her out.  Her breath caught as he lowered his head and she closed her eyes, her stomach quivering in anticipation. 

"Happy Birthday." He whispered.

Her eyes shot open as he placed a soft kiss to her cheek and she wondered if he had felt the same spark she just had.  The look in his eyes as he pulled away from her tempted her to believe he had but he said nothing, just reached around her and opened the car door for her. Aubrey stood for a moment just looking at him.  Did you feel it? She wanted to ask.    

~~~~~

As he held the door open for her, Aubrey just looked at him, her eyes wide--a curious expression on her face.  He'd wanted to tease her a little and under normal circumstances he would have tried to push it farther, but as Justin had closed the space between them and looked down into her bewitching eyes--the clean, sweet fragrance of her perfume hitting him--a strange feeling had come over him.

Placing his lips against her cheek impulsively he felt as if he'd been shocked and had pulled away.  What the hell was that?  He wondered, his heart beating strangely in his chest.  Finally, Aubrey turned and he helped her into the vehicle then stood--hands shoved in his pockets--as she drove away, his thoughts all over the place. 

He turned and walked over to his own car but caught himself looking back over his shoulder at where Aubrey had just been.  What the hell is wrong with me? He wondered as he got into his Escalade.  It was just an innocent kiss on the cheek!  You'd think I'd never kissed a girl before.  It's definitely time to get a girlfriend!  Just because Aubrey had looked amazing in that dress of hers with the "perfect" heels on her feet, and just because she smelled incredible and had amazingly soft skin, didn't give him the liberty to think the things he'd been thinking about her all night.

"We're just friends." He said aloud as he pulled out onto the street, yet somehow that statement didn't offer the reassurance it once had. 

Something had changed tonight and he wasn't sure what to do about it.

~~~~~~

"What are you doing?"

Rachel gasped in surprise as she turned around, dropping the curtain she'd been peaking out of once Aubrey and Justin had left the house.  She put a hand to her chest as she looked up at JC.  "Nothing." She replied, dropping her hand and trying to act calm.  She watched as he folded his arms across his chest and raised a skeptical brow at her-his blue eyes watching her intently.  "What?" She asked.  "I was just...making sure they made it out to their cars okay." She continued.  "You know...there could be scary people out there."

"We have a security gate." JC reminded her. 

"Well...you never know." Rachel countered.  "It's a scary world we live in.  Anything could happen."

"Have you learned nothing?" He asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She replied as she walked past him out of the front room.

JC reached out and grabbed her arm, stopping her.  "You need a new hobby." He said.

"What?!" Rachel exclaimed folding her arms.  "I do not need a new hobby.  I said I would back off, not disappear." She told him.  JC shook his head as he turned, facing her fully. 

"You better be careful, Sass." He warned.  "I've known Justin longer than you have."

"And?" Rachel replied.

"And..." his lips twitched as he brought a hand up and tucked her hair behind one ear.  "You just better be careful." He reiterated.  Rachel narrowed her eyes as she looked at him.  "Now," he said, putting his arms around her as he pulled her against him.  "We need to talk."

"About what?" She questioned, a tingle running down her spine at the look in his eyes.

"About what exactly your favorite thing in the entire world is because apparently I'm not doing my job very well."  He smiled as he brought his lips down on hers and Rachel giggled as she wound her arms around his neck, pressing herself against him--all thoughts of Justin and Aubrey quickly leaving her head.  

Chapter 11 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

Update on my life (for those of you interested)...I started my Master's Degree program this week.  Go me!  What does this mean for you?  Updates are going to be cut back just a bit.  Please don't start hyperventilating...lol...I am not abandoning this story!  I'm just saying that I'm probably only going to be posting once a week instead of two, three, even four times! 

With that being said...here's this week's update :)

Aubrey woke up Sunday morning with a smile still on her face. He may not have known it was her birthday at the beginning of the night, but Justin had managed to give her the best birthday present he could have.  The way he had looked at her all evening, the way he had cornered her against her car as he'd walked out with her and the way his lips had felt as they'd brushed against her cheek...

A shiver ran down her spine and Aubrey couldn't help the dreamy sigh that escaped.  She'd gotten a kiss from Justin Timberlake for her birthday!   How many girls could say the same?

Probably more than you think.  A voice in the back of her mind commented.  Aubrey sat up, pushing the thought aside.  She refused to let anything rain on her parade right now.  She grabbed her cell phone as she walked out of her bedroom, intent on finding something to eat--she and Grams were going out to brunch in a little while but she was starving.  As she made her way down the hall to the kitchen the doorbell rang.  Looking at the time on her phone, her brows furrowed.  "I wonder who that is." She muttered under her breath.  Running her fingers through her hair she placed her cell phone on the kitchen counter than padded towards the front door in her favorite pair of pink, fuzzy slippers. 

"Aubrey Davis?" The delivery guy standing on the front porch asked when she opened the door.

"Yeah?" She replied in surprise.

"These are for you." He smiled as he handed her the bouquet of roses he was holding.  She took the flowers-looking at them in disbelief.  Who in the world...

"Just sign here, please." The man told her, holding a clipboard out towards her.  Aubrey quickly put her signature on the indicated line then gave him back his pen.  "Have a good day." He said with a smile as he turned.

"Thank you." Aubrey replied then closed the door.  She walked back towards the kitchen, her face bent towards the roses as she inhaled their fragrance.  They were beautiful!  The soft, creamy yellow blooms were outlined with a vibrant pink--each petal velvet soft as she ran her fingers over them.  Aubrey placed the vase on the counter and stood back, just looking at them for a moment until she noticed the small white card nestled among the flowers.  She pulled it out and opened it--a smile quickly spreading.

If you'd have told me it was your birthday I would have given these to you last night but, better late than never, right?  I hope it was a good day yesterday.  Happy Birthday!         -Justin

                                         

Aubrey ran her thumb over his signature then tucked the card in her pocket.

"Those are pretty." Grams said as she came into the room.

"Yeah they are." Aubrey said, still smiling as she tucked her hair behind her ears.

"Who are they from?" Grams asked, coming over to smell the roses.

"Justin." Aubrey replied, feeling her cheeks warm slightly.  Grams made a noise of interest and raised one brow as she turned to look at Aubrey.  "He was at dinner at Rachel's house last night." She explained.  "He was mad when he found out it was my birthday and I hadn't told him."

Grams smiled, her brown eyes sparkling.  "He seems like a really nice boy." She said.  "I hope you're going to keep a hold of him."

"What?" Aubrey asked with an embarrassed chuckle.

"Honey it was plain as the nose on my face that that boy was quite taken with you when he was over here." Grams told her. 

"No, you're wrong." Aubrey argued with a shake of her head.  "We're just friends."

Grams looked at her pointedly.  "You can believe that if it makes you feel better." She replied as she turned and walked out of the kitchen.  "But that boy isn't just a friend."

Aubrey sighed as she leaned back against the counter, folding her arms across her chest.  Was it possible?  The more she thought about what Grams had said, the more she wondered if she were right.  There was definitely nothing "friendly" about the way Justin had said good night to her.  And what was she supposed to think about the gorgeous roses he'd just sent her?  Just a friendly gesture?  Aubrey ran her fingers through her hair as she let out a frustrated groan.  Why did she have to meet Justin in the first place?  Her eyes lifted to the ceiling as her arms dropped to her sides.

"Why?" She questioned.  Closing her eyes she let out a sigh.  She lifted one hand, her fingers touching the spot on her cheek that Justin had kissed the previous evening.  That kiss had been the first concrete sign, in the months she'd known him, that had hinted he might have more than friendly feelings for her.  But were his feelings genuine or was she just a convenient outlet for him?  She wasn't a fool.  She knew he was all man-a charming, talented and incredibly sexy man.  He was used to being around and dating beautiful women but for some reason--since his breakup with Jessica--he'd closed himself off and pulled away from the social circles he usually surrounded himself with.

While a part of her wanted to believe he really was interested in her, another--stronger--part knew it was probably as she guessed.  She was just a convenient outlet.  The cloud she'd been walking on since leaving Rachel and JC's house last night dissipated and Aubrey found herself once more back on Earth, her feet firmly planted in reality.

"We're just friends." She muttered.  That's all.  Her cell phone rang and she twisted to pick it up from the counter. 

"Hey Andrew." She said after reading who it was that was calling.

"Justin Timberlake?" He asked sounding more than a little put out.

"Excuse me?" Aubrey asked, her heart flipping in her chest as she wondered how Andrew had found out about Justin.

"You've got to be kidding me." He continued.

"What are you talking about?" Aubrey asked, sitting down at the kitchen table.

"The guy you're interested in is Justin Timberlake?" Andrew asked.  "How do you even know him?!  Are you crazy?"

"How did you find out who he was?" Aubrey asked, feeling guilty though she didn't know why.  There was nothing to feel guilty about in regards to Justin...was there?

"I saw your guys' picture on a magazine cover at the store last night." He explained.  "You somehow failed to mention you were dating a celebrity when we were talking last week." He accused.

"We're not dating." Aubrey told him. 

"Really?" Andrew chuckled, clearly unconvinced.  "Then would you like to explain to me why your picture is on the front of a magazine with him?"

"I don't have to explain anything to you, Andrew." She said, her irritation rising.  "You're not my mother.  I told you there was someone I was interested in and the picture that's being circulated right now was taken before you and I...well, before you moved out here."

Andrew sighed heavily on the other end of the line.  "I'm sorry." He apologized.  "I just...you can't really believe he'd be interested in you, can you?"

Aubrey pulled back and looked at her phone in shock.  "Why can't I?" She asked, putting the phone back against her ear.  "What's wrong with me?" She asked.

"Nothing." He was quick to assure her.  "Nothing's wrong with you."

"Then why wouldn't he be interested in me?" She pressed.

"Because he's Justin Timberlake!" Andrew exclaimed.  "He can have-and has had--any woman in the world!  Why would he settle for someone like you?"

"Excuse me?" Aubrey asked, feeling deeply offended at his question.  "Someone like me?"  She was glad they were talking on the phone.  Had they been having this conversation face to face Aubrey knew she would have slapped him for that last comment.  "Care to explain what that means?" She asked, her voice clipped.

"You know what I mean." Andrew replied.

"No." Aubrey said.  "I don't.  Why wouldn't Justin settle for ‘someone like me'?"

"You're too sweet and naïve." He said.

"Naïve?" She asked.

"Yes." Andrew replied.  "Naïve.  You're naïve if you think he's after anything more than a chance to get into your pants."

Aubrey gasped.  "I can't believe you just said that!" She exclaimed.  "You don't know him!"

"Neither do you." He countered. 

Aubrey was so angry she couldn't respond for a second.  "I know more about him than you think." She said.

"Oh yeah?" He asked.  "Like what?"

"Like the fact that he didn't forget it was my birthday yesterday." She replied hotly.

"What?" Andrew asked, sounding completely shocked.  "It was your birthday yesterday?"

"Yeah." Aubrey replied.  "Thanks for remembering."

"I thought it was this weekend.  Bre--"

"Don't, ‘Bre' me, Andrew." She cut him off.

"Look," Andrew continued.  "I'm sorry I forgot it was your birthday but it would have helped if you'd given me a little reminder.  And I didn't mean to offend you.  I just..." he sighed.  "I just don't want to see you get hurt--"

"And you think Justin's going to hurt me?" She asked.

"I know he's going to hurt you." Andrew replied.  Aubrey began worrying her bottom lip with her teeth.  "He's a celebrity.  He's used to getting his way.  He's used to a very different lifestyle than you and I have--"

"Maybe that's why he likes me." She interrupted him.  "Did you ever think of that?  Maybe the reason he likes me is because I'm different than anyone else he knows."

"Bre..." Andrew drawled and Aubrey could hear the condescension in his voice.  Her teeth clenched.  Who was he to patronize her?  Who was he to tell her who she could and couldn't spend her time with?  Were they married?  No! 

"You said you were going to give us another try." He reminded her and she felt a stab of guilt.  "Did you mean it?"

"Yes..." She drawled.  "But I'm not going to stop being his friend, Andrew.  So you need to decide whether or not you can live with that."  He was quiet for a moment and she continued.  "Call me back when you've decided."  And with that she hung up on him.  Tossing her phone onto the coffee table she leaned her head back against the back of the couch.  I need to go back to bed and start this day over.

~~~~~~

Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 13:19:29

Subject: Captain's Log

To: freckles_21@yahoo.com

From: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

Freckles.

I was going through some old emails and I found this picture.  Thought you might enjoy it.

-Michael

Aubrey opened the file her brother had sent her.  The picture was of her, sandwiched in between her brother and Andrew on her parent's couch, the three of them laughing.  The picture had been taken before Michael and Andrew had shipped out--before Aubrey had broken up with Andrew and before she had begun to realize just how complicated love could be.

"Who is that?"

Aubrey swiveled around in her chair as Rachel suddenly appeared behind her.  Rachel's eyes were glued to the picture on Aubrey's computer screen.

"That's my brother." Aubrey said pointing to Michael.  "And that's Andrew."

"That's Andrew?!" Rachel exclaimed, looking at Aubrey in disbelief--her jaw hanging open.  She laughed once.  "I'm sorry." She said.

"For what?" Aubrey asked with a confused chuckle.

"For trying to push you to be with Justin!" Rachel shook her head.  "If that's Andrew," she pointed at the screen.  "And he's interested in you what the hell do you need Justin Timberlake for?"

"Shh!" Aubrey hushed her friend then looked around to see if anyone had heard Rachel mention Justin's name. 

"Mmmm." Rachel hummed as she sighed.  "He is one fine looking man."

Aubrey rolled her eyes.  "You're ridiculous.  Does JC know you're such a teenager and have crazy, overactive hormones?" She teased.

"Yes he does." Rachel nodded once.  "And believe me--he takes full advantage of them."  She grinned devilishly and Aubrey laughed.

"What's that?" Aubrey asked, gesturing towards the gift bag in Rachel's hand. 

"Huh?" Rachel asked, tearing her eyes away from the screen and down at the package in her hand.  "Oh!" She smiled.  "It's for you.  Happy Birthday!"

"But you already got me something." Aubrey reminded Rachel as she took the bag from her and peeked inside.

"I know." Rachel replied.

Aubrey raised one brow as she saw what was in the bag and looked back up at Rachel.  "Seriously?" She asked, pulling out the CD's.  Rachel grinned as she leaned back against the desk and folded her arms across her chest.

"I told you I was going to get you a copy of Celebrity but then I remembered when we were talking at dinner way back when you said you didn't have any of their albums."

"I did?" Aubrey asked in confusion, looking at the N SYNC CD's Rachel had given her.

"I thought so." Rachel replied.  "But it's possible I'm just making that up.  Do you have the other CD's?"

"No." Aubrey shook her head.

"Good." Rachel breathed a dramatic sigh of relief.

"Thanks." Aubrey said putting the CD's back into the bag.

"You're welcome." Rachel grinned brightly.  "How do you expect to date the boy if you don't have a copy of anything he's done in his career?  Although..." she paused and sighed appreciatively as she looked at Andrew's picture again.  "I'm not sure Justin stands a chance."

"Get out of here." Aubrey laughed as she pushed Rachel playfully. 

"Okay," Rachel said tucking her hair behind her ears.  "But before I go I want to tell you to make sure you listen to "I Thought She Knew" on No Strings Attached and "Girlfriend" on Celebrity.  Those two are my favorite." She put a hand to her chest.  "Oh! And "Gone" is probably the best one for Justin.  Look up the video of that one when you get home, you'll thank me later." Rachel grinned.

"That good, huh?" Aubrey asked.

"Oh yeah!" Rachel replied.  "Whew!  He's got some arms..." She giggled and Aubrey couldn't help laughing at her friend's expression. 

She'd seen a bumper sticker once that seemed to fit Rachel to a T.  Reckless Teenager Cleverly Disguised as Responsible Adult.  Aubrey had learned over the time she'd gotten to know Rachel that underneath her poised, professional exterior was a silly, fun-loving, still boy-crazy teenager.  She was the type of girl that Aubrey knew had probably been homecoming queen or cheerleading captain (or both) in high school--the girl that all the boys wanted and the one that secretly she had always wanted to be friends with but hadn't dared approach because of the social lines that existed between them.  She watched as Rachel turned and left--walking back to her office--and smiled.  She was slowly finding out that people weren't always who they appeared to be and so far, she hadn't been disappointed.  

~~~~~~

"I thank you; but I assure you, you are quite mistaken.  Mr. Elton and I are very good friends, and nothing more," and she walked on, amusing herself in the consideration of the blunders which often arise from a partial knowledge of circumstances, of the mistakes which people of high pretensions to judgment are for ever falling into...

Aubrey looked up from her book Wednesday evening as someone knocked on the front door.  With Grams at her weekly Bingo game down at the church, and her classes over for the semester, this was her night to be home alone.  Marking her page she swung her legs off the couch and placed her copy of Emma where she'd been sitting as she got up.  She was surprised to find Andrew standing on the front porch.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.  They hadn't talked since their argument over Justin Sunday night.

"I brought a peace offering." He said, reaching into the plastic bag he was carrying and pulled out a pint of Ben & Jerry's.  "New York Super Fudge Chunk still your favorite?" He asked holding the carton up, a hopeful expression on his handsome face.  Aubrey looked at him for a moment then finally stepped back allowing him to walk inside.

"I was afraid you weren't going to talk to me again." She said as she shut the door and turned to face him.

"I know." He said nodding slowly.  "I'm sorry."

"Did you decide?" She asked, in reference to the ultimatum she'd given him.  His blue eyes held hers for a moment and she found it curious that two pairs of eyes that were the same color could cause such differing emotions within her.

"Yes." Andrew finally spoke. 

"And?" Aubrey folded her arms across her chest.

"And..." He looked down at his feet for a second then back up at her.  "I'm not going to ask you to stop being his friend." He said. 

"Good." Aubrey said, unfolding her arms as she walked towards him.

"I didn't say I liked the idea." He defended as she came and stood before him.

"I didn't say you had to like it." She said, taking the container of ice cream from him.  "I just said you had to accept it."  With that she turned and walked back towards the family room, grabbing a couple of spoons from the kitchen on her way through.  "You coming?" She asked over her shoulder. 

Andrew stayed rooted in place for a second longer than finally followed her. "You want to pick a movie?" She asked, pointing to the bookcase lined with DVD's and VHS's next to the television, before he sat down next to her.  Andrew deliberated in front of the collection for a moment as Aubrey opened the pint of ice cream and took a bite, her eyes never leaving him.  She had to give him props.  She hadn't thought he'd actually accept the fact that she was friends with Justin Timberlake as easily as he seemed to have done.  She knew Andrew.  He was not one to deal with competition well, but he seemed to be dealing alright with this situation.  Though Justin isn't really competition to him.  She reasoned as she took another bite of the chocolate ice cream and pulled her legs up--tucking her feet beneath her on the couch. 

Andrew put in his movie of choice and Aubrey handed him the extra spoon she'd grabbed.  He took a few bites then left the rest of it up to her to finish as the movie progressed.  By the end, Aubrey found herself curled up beside him--his arm draped around her shoulders--and she couldn't help thinking how comfortable she felt with Andrew.  Their history together made it easy to trust him.  He knew so much about her and her family and she knew he'd never do anything to hurt her.  She raised her head and looked at him, smiling when he turned to look at her.  A girl could do a lot worse than to find herself loved by Andrew Johnson. 

Aubrey leaned forward and pressed her lips against his-surprising both of them with the action.  When she pulled back, Andrew lifted a hand and gently brushed his fingers against her cheek--his lips lifting in a soft smile as he leaned forward, capturing her lips again.  Aubrey placed a hand against his face as his lips moved over hers.  It definitely wasn't the knee-weakening, heat-racing, stars-colliding kind of kiss she had always wanted to experience, but it was sweet and gentle and made her feel good.  She knew Andrew truly cared about her.  When he pulled back a moment later she smiled at him then laid her head back on his shoulder.

Yes, a girl could definitely do a lot worse than to have Andrew love her.  

~~~~~~

"I'm going to give you a list of things to pack and you're going to write them down and you're not going to ask any questions, okay?" Justin asked Aubrey over the phone a week later.

"What?" Aubrey asked with a laugh as she leaned back against the chair she'd been sitting in at the table.

"I said no questions!" Justin exclaimed.

"But--"

"No ‘buts' either." He said.  "You told me to surprise you, remember?"  Aubrey laughed again at his serious, all business tone.  "If you ask questions," he continued.  "You'll ruin the surprise."

"What if I want to ruin the surprise?" She asked feeling impish as an evil grin spread across her face.

"Don't ruin the surprise Aubrey Janae." He commanded and Aubrey had to suppress the swarm of butterflies that invaded at hearing her full name spoken in his deep, sexy voice once again.  She couldn't however, suppress the tingle that went down her spine or the goose bumps that broke over her and she melted back against the chair.  "Are you ready?" He asked.

"Uh-huh." She nodded, ready and willing to do whatever he asked.

"Do you have a pen?  I don't want you to forget anything." He continued.

"What?" Aubrey sat up.  "Oh, no.  Hold on." She got up from the table and quickly grabbed a pen and piece of scratch paper from the drawer by the telephone.  "Ready." She said.

"Sunscreen." He began.

"Got it." She replied, writing it down.

"Sunglasses."

"Sunglasses." She echoed.

"Swimming suit."

"Not going to happen." She said.  There was no way she was letting Justin Timberlake see her in a swimming suit!

"What?!"  He exclaimed. 

"I'm not bringing my swimming suit, Justin." She said.

"And why the hell not?" He asked.  "How can you go to Ca--I mean, how can you go somewhere exotic and not bring a swimming suit?  That's the whole reason people go where we're going--to spend all day at the beach!"

"I don't feel comfortable spending all day in my swimsuit at the beach." She replied, wishing he wouldn't make such a big deal about it.

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!"  He laughed.  "You're a champion swimmer, Aubrey." He reminded her as if she'd forgotten.  "You spend all day on Saturdays in your swimming suit teaching kids how to swim.  What the hell do you mean you don't feel comfortable spending all day in a swimsuit at the beach?"

Aubrey was quiet for moment.  How was she supposed to explain the real reason for her discomfort? He's just going to laugh at me if I tell him.  "Fine." She sighed, scribbling the item down on the list she was making.  "I'll bring it."

"Good answer." He replied.  "Now where were we?" He asked.

"Sunscreen, sunglasses and swimming suit." She read back what he'd told her to write down.

"Right." He paused for a moment.  "Um...Oh! Your passport.  Don't forget that.  It's very important."

"Okay." She said with a chuckle.

"Other than that and a change of clothes all you'll need is whatever girly stuff you usually bring when you stay somewhere overnight."

"Overnight?!" This time it was Aubrey's turn to let out an exclamation.  "What do you mean, overnight?" She asked, her heart starting to beat nervously in her chest. 

He chuckled, the deep quality of his voice once again making her shiver as goose bumps enveloped her.  "You didn't really expect to go somewhere exotic and not have to spend at least one night, did you?" He questioned. 

"Well, I...um...I-I didn't..." Aubrey stuttered and Justin chuckled again.  The thought of going anywhere with Justin made it difficult to breathe, but throw in the fact that they would be spending the night wherever they were going and Aubrey felt close to hyperventilating. 

What about Andrew? Her conscious questioned.  A pang of guilt made her question whether or not she should go with Justin.  Deep down she knew she should tell Justin the bet was off--that he didn't owe her anything anymore--but she quickly pushed the thought away.  She and Justin had made their bet before Andrew had come back into her life which meant this trip had nothing to do with him.  Besides, she knew if she told him, Andrew would be livid and would demand that she not go and there was a very large part of herself that was anxious to see what would come of this "exotic" trip Justin was planning.

"When are we going?" She asked.

"This weekend." He told her.  "Can you get someone to take your classes on Saturday?" He asked.

"Yes." She nodded, though he couldn't see her.

"Can you meet me at Van Nuys?"

"Van Nuys?" She questioned.  "Why not LAX?"

"I've found it's just easier to fly out of Van Nuys." He replied without offering any other explanation. 

"Okay." She said.  "What time?"

"Saturday morning at six a.m.  You'll get the rest of your instructions when you get there." He replied secretively then hung up before she could say anything more.

Aubrey laughed as she hung up her phone and placed it on the table next to the list she'd made.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as a nervous excitement began filling her.  Though she tried to deny it, she didn't want to be "just friends" with Justin any longer and she couldn't help hoping that something might happen on this trip that would make him start seeing her in a different light.

Chapter 12 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

Okay...because my first week of Grad school was fairly easy, and because I have my first paper due the end of this week, I decided to update early :)

Happy Monday!

Aubrey shifted her duffle bag over her shoulder as she walked into the Van Nuys airport early Saturday morning.  After driving the nearly fifty minutes it took to get there from her grandmother's house, Aubrey had parked her car out in the lot and now stood, looking around in uncertainty.  Because this airport was only used for private and chartered airplanes it was not as crowded as LAX would have been but she still had no idea where she was supposed to go.  All Justin had said was to be at the airport by six.  Aubrey looked at her watch as the elevator doors closed behind her.  6:01

She looked around the terminal wondering how in the world she was going to find him.  As she started walking towards the ticketing area she noticed a man in a crisp black suit standing off to the side of the front doors holding a sign.  Normally she wouldn't have given him a second look however, the name on the sign he was holding caused her to stop in her tracks.  She looked around to make sure there was nobody else around.  

"Um...that's me." She said, pointing to her name printed on the sign he was holding.  The man smiled and reached into his pocket.  Pulling out a folded piece of paper he handed it to her without saying a word.  "Thank you?" Aubrey said, her words coming out as a question as she tentatively took it from him. 

"Mr. Timberlake's jet is out on the runway, waiting for you."

"His jet?" Aubrey asked in surprise.  The man nodded.  "He has his own jet?" She asked, wide-eyed.  He smiled.

"Enjoy your trip." He said then turned and left.

Shifting her duffle bag again Aubrey looked down and unfolded the piece of paper she'd been handed.

I know the suspense is probably killing you, but the wait is almost over.  Give this to the lady behind the counter.  She'll give you your ticket so you can get past security.  -Justin

Looking up from his note Aubrey looked up and spotted the person he must be talking about--the only woman standing behind the ticket counter.  "I think I'm supposed to give this to you." Aubrey said, handing the older woman Justin's note.

The ticket agent smiled.  "Good morning." She said, typing something into her computer.  "I still need to see some ID." She said apologetically.

"Oh sure." Aubrey said, pulling her wallet from the pocket of her purse.  "Here you go." She handed her driver's license to the woman whose nametag read, Lisa.

"Thanks." Lisa said looking at it then handing it back to Aubrey.

"You wouldn't be able to tell me where I'm going, would you?" Aubrey asked as Lisa handed her a small card.

"I would, if Mr. Timberlake hadn't sworn me to secrecy before you got here."  Lisa replied.

"Figures." Aubrey grumbled good-naturedly under her breath.

Lisa chuckled.  "Hand that to the security guard over there." She said, pointing towards the set of doors leading out to the runways.  "I hope you enjoy your trip." She replied with a smile.

"Thanks." Aubrey said then turned and headed that direction.  She handed the card to the mad standing there then walked out onto the tarmac, towards the plane waiting--apparently--for her.  As she got closer two men walked out of the plane and down the stairs, she couldn't get over the surreal feeling of it all.  She was getting a small taste of what it was like being a celebrity and having everyone at your beck and call.  One of the men took her duffle bag as she followed the other one up into the plane. 

She looked around the interior of the jet in awe.  It was like something out of a movie.  There was a short bench seat set up along one side, while two sets of seat sat facing each other about half-way down the cabin.  She could see a small sink and mini fridge set up behind the chairs and assumed the door she saw at the back of the plane was the bathroom.  The interior was richly designed in mahogany wood and champagne colored leather.   She'd never seen anything like it in her life, or ever thought she would!  She sat down in one of the large, plush leather seats and closed her eyes as she leaned her head back.  If this is what it's like being Justin Timberlake, I could get used to this. 

"Is this seat taken?"

Aubrey looked up, a smile spreading across her face as Justin sat down next to her.  She took in his simple white T-shirt and dark gray board shorts; the black baseball cap on his head making her feel overdressed in her jeans, white empire-waisted cami and black jacket.  

"What's that look for?" He asked with a smile as he placed his elbow on the arm rest between them and leaned towards her. 

"Why didn't you tell me you had a jet?" She asked.  He shrugged--his blue eyes sparkling--and Aubrey found herself mesmerized.  She wondered if he had any idea the affect he had on her.  Andrew was sweet and charming, respectful and kind and treated her well but secretly she wanted just a little bit more.  She wanted someone who was all of those things but who was also exciting and dangerous and sexy and Justin represented all of that.  

"You didn't ask." He replied breaking her from her thoughts.  Aubrey narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips as she studied him, her eyes delving into his.  "Do you know where we're going?" He asked.

She shook her head slowly.  "How could I?" She asked.  She leaned back in her chair.  "I've recently discovered you're very good at keeping a secret and bribing those around you to play along in your evil plots."  She looked over at him laughing when he stretched out in his chair, putting his hands behind his head--a smug look on his face.  "Are you going to tell me where we're going now?" She asked.

"Nope." He shook his head and looked over at her.  "This is way too much fun."

"How about how long we're going to be in the air?" She asked.  "Can you tell me that much at least?"

He was quiet for a moment, thinking.  "Mmmm...about two hours I think." He said.  "Give or take."

"Do you have plans on how we're going to spend these next two hours?"  She asked, reaching into her purse and pulling out her favorite tube of lip gloss.  She applied it to her lips then looked over at Justin as he remained quiet.  His blue eyes were fixed on her intently and she felt a shiver go down her spine.  She was suddenly beginning to question the soundness of her decision to come with him on this trip.  She didn't know where they were going and what, if anything, he was expecting out of this weekend.  As Justin's blue eyes remained on hers the nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach intensified.  One thing was for sure: she knew this weekend would be one she'd never forget.

~~~~~~

Justin watched as Aubrey pulled a tube of lip gloss from her purse and applied it to her lips.  He swallowed, completely forgetting the question she'd just asked him.  When she turned to look at him, her hazel eyes curious, all he could think about what how much he suddenly wanted to kiss those inviting lips of hers and trying to figure out how long he'd wanted to kiss her without realizing it.  The thought of doing so didn't surprise him as much as he thought it should and that scared him. 

As the pilot and co-pilot of the jet he'd chartered to take them to their destination closed up the plane and prepared for take-off he crossed his right leg over his left knee. 

"How many tattoos do you have?" Aubrey asked suddenly.  He looked over at her in question and she pointed at his initials and the flames he'd gotten tattooed on his right ankle years ago.

"Seven." He told her.  Her eyes lifted to connect with his.  "Obviously, the initials are self explanatory." He grinned and Aubrey smiled.  "The flames with the rope and the marionette," he pointed to each of the tattoos on his ankle, "are from the success that came from being in N SYNC."  He put his right leg back on the floor and stretched out his left leg.  "That's my zodiac sign--Aquarius." He said, pointing to the band around his calf.  "And that symbolizes music." He explained, pointing at the Chinese symbol on his left ankle.  He lowered his leg and lifted his left shirt sleeve, showing her the large cross on his shoulder.  "Everything I have is a gift from God." He said as he put his sleeve back down.  "Number seven is on my back." He explained.  "It's a picture of an angel with my mom's initials."  Aubrey was quiet as she looked at him, her expression unreadable.  "How ‘bout you?" He asked.  "Do you have any?"

"Tattoos?" She asked.  He nodded, curious as to what her answer would be.  She'd surprised him more than once before so he wouldn't put it past her to have one somewhere.  "No." She shook her head and he found himself a bit disappointed.  "I've thought about getting one, but..."

"But what?" He questioned.

"They're just so...permanent." She replied and he chuckled.  "I mean, what if I pick something and then a few years down the road decide I don't like it anymore?  Too bad.  You're kind of stuck with it now for the rest of your life, you know?"

"I see." He nodded.  "So you have commitment issues." He diagnosed.

"No." She laughed.  "I just...I don't know what I would get or even where I would put it."

"That's the fun part." He said, leaning towards her.  "Deciding where to put it."  He grinned.

"Okay." She said leaning towards him as well.  "Then tell me.  If I got a tattoo where would I put it?"

"First you have to decide what kind of tattoo it is." He said.  "Is it big or small?"

"Mmmm...small." Aubrey replied.  "Something simple like a star or a heart."

Justin cocked his head to the side and he let his eyes travel the length of her as he tried to decide where she should put her imaginary tattoo.  "If you got a star I'd say you should put it either on your ankle or your shoulder." He said. 

"And if I decided to get a heart?" She asked.

His eyes connected with hers again.  "A heart belongs on your hip." He said, a secret thrill running through him at the thought of Aubrey actually getting a tattoo on that part of her body.  He couldn't imagine anything sexier at the moment.  "Somewhere only you and the person you're with are allowed to see."  Her eyes widened slightly and he noticed her breathing pick up speed.  She blinked a few times and swallowed. 

"Are you..." she cleared her throat.  "Are you planning on getting anymore?" She asked.

"Just one more." He said.  "My mom wasn't too happy about me getting all of these so I promised I wouldn't do anymore, except one." He held up his index finger.

"Why the exception?" She asked.  "What's so special about this last tattoo?"

"It's gonna be my wife's initials." He said.

Aubrey smiled.  "That's a good exception."

"Yeah, I thought so." He smiled back. 

"But are you sure it's a good idea?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" He questioned.

"Well," Aubrey sighed.  "Don't take this the wrong way, but in your line of work people don't really stay married for very long.  Getting another person's initials tattooed on your body seems a foolhardy thing to do, don't you think?"

"And we're back to you and your commitment issues." He teased.  She chuckled as she rolled her eyes. 

"I'm serious." She said.

"So am I." He replied.  "I only intend on getting married once."

~~~~~~ 

Aubrey looked at Justin--the look in his eyes similar to the ones he'd given her at her birthday dinner and she wished she could read his thoughts and know what he was thinking.  She was unable to come up with a response to his previous statement.  It was hard to see him actually settling down with someone, but the more she thought about it the less crazy of an idea it seemed.  Out of all the celebrities she could think of, he was probably the most monogamous, aside from JC.  He was only in one relationship at a time, you never read anything about him cheating on the girl he was with, and they were always together for several years--"forever" by Hollywood's standards. 

"That's great." She finally said.  "But, how do you plan to pull that off?"

"By finding a girl I can't live without and who can handle being loved so completely she has no reason to even think about leaving me." He replied honestly.

Aubrey fought to suppress the shiver that went down her spine at his words and had to forcefully keep herself from raising her hand and volunteering for the position like an idiot.  Whoever it was that he eventually married would be one very lucky woman.

"Someone who can handle being loved?" She asked, her brows furrowing in confusion.  Who couldn't handle this man loving them?  Were they crazy?  He was incredible!  He didn't have to take her on this trip.  He could have found someway to get out of it but he hadn't and he was doing way more than she had done to hold up his end of their deal.

"Yeah." He looked away from her and began picking nervously as his shorts.  "Apparently I'm overwhelming." He said, looking back up at her.  "Or so I've been told."

"That's ridiculous." Aubrey replied.  He shrugged.  Again she was speechless.  She didn't know what to tell him so instead she just turned her head and looked out the small window beside her, hating the awkward tension between them.  She heard the rustling of some papers and turned to look at Justin once more.  He sat with a black portfolio open on his lap, different sketches and swatches of fabric on the pages.  "What's that?" Aubrey asked, genuinely curious.

Justin looked up at her.  "Trace and I are doing a fashion show next weekend for our clothing line.  These are some of the new designs we're still working on."  He shifted in his seat and turned the book towards her.  They spent the next forty-five minutes with Justin showing her the design concepts for the new line WilliamRast was coming out with and Aubrey offering her opinions--for whatever they were worth. 

"Ooh, I like that one." Aubrey said pointing to the picture of a black tailored blazer. 

"It'd look great on you." Justin smiled, looking up at her. 

"How much would something like that cost me?" She inquired.  Maybe she'd buy it when it came out.

"About three-fifty." He said, flipping the page.  Aubrey choked.

"Three hundred and fifty dollars?!" She exclaimed.

"Yeah.  It's really not that much." He replied.

"For you maybe!" She laughed.  "But for those of us who live in the real world, Justin, that's a lot of money!  That's about what I pay for my car each month." She told him, putting it in perspective for him.

"You get what you pay for." He said.  "I don't make cheap clothing." He continued.  "If you want something good that's going to last you've got to be willing to pay a little bit more for it."

"You're right." Aubrey said, sensing his annoyance in having to justify himself to her.  "I'm sorry."  She said reaching over and putting her hand on his arm.  Justin looked down at her hand then up at her face.  She smiled.  "I was just disappointed that I'd never be able to buy it." She said withdrawing her hand and trying to ignore the warmth that had traveled up her arm from the contact with him.

"Well," he said putting his elbow up on the arm rest again and leaning towards her.  "It's a good thing you know one of the owners of the company, then." He winked at her.  "I bet he'd be willing to cut you a pretty good deal."

Aubrey laughed.  "How do you find time to do it all?" She questioned. 

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"The clothing line, the production company, the golfing, the acting, the singing and performing...how do you keep it all straight?  And how in the world do you have time to be taking this trip right now when you're putting together a fashion show for next weekend?"

"It's all about priorities." He said.  "And having a really good personal assistant."  Aubrey laughed as she got up from her seat.  "Where are you going?" He asked.

"The little girl's room." She said looking down at him.  "Is that okay?"

"I guess." He replied with a teasing grin. 

Aubrey chuckled as she walked towards the back of the plane.  After taking care of business she came back out, stopping by the sink and fridge.  "You want something to drink?" She asked Justin over her shoulder.

"Sure." He replied.

Aubrey opened up the mini fridge.  "Water, beer or orange juice?" She asked reading off the items in the appliance.

"Orange juice, hmm?" He mused, putting the portfolio back into the bag sitting next to his seat and looking up at her.  "If there's some vodka around here somewhere we'll be in business."

"It's a little too early to be drinking, don't you think?" She laughed.

"It's never too early to drink." He teased.  She turned to look at him.  "Water." He said.

"Water it is." She replied, grabbing two bottles from the fridge and coming to sit next to him again.  She handed one to Justin then unscrewed the cap on hers. 

"So answer me this." He said as she brought the bottle to her lips and took a drink.  Aubrey turned to look at him as she swallowed.  "How is Andrew okay with you coming with me this weekend?"  Aubrey lifted the water bottle to her lips again and turned to face forward unable to meet his eyes as he continued.  "If we were dating there's no way in hell I'd let you go on a weekend trip with another guy." He chuckled.

"He doesn't know." She finally said quietly.  Justin made a noise of interest and she glanced over at him. 

"Where does he think you are?" He asked, his blue eyes watching her intently.  Aubrey felt her cheeks warm in embarrassment and guilt.

"I told him I was going with Rachel to Phoenix for the weekend." She replied.

Justin laughed.  "And he believed you?"

"Why wouldn't he?" She asked. 

He nodded in acceptance of her answer, his blue eyes sparkling.  "Every time I think I have you figured out you go and surprise me again, Aubrey Janae." He said, taking a drink from his water bottle. 

"You'll never have me figured out." She replied saucily, as she crossed one leg over the other and slouched down in her seat.  How could you?  She wondered.  When I don't even have myself figured out?

~~~~~~

Forty-five minutes later their plane finally landed and Aubrey followed Justin down the stairs.  He reached his hand up, taking a hold of hers as he helped her down the last few steps. 

"Thanks." She said squinting up at him, wondering why she'd put her sunglasses in her duffle bag instead of in her purse.  Justin smiled and gave her fingers a small squeeze before he let go of them and Aubrey's heart skipped a beat.  She wished she were brave enough to just ask him point blank if he liked her.  She was so confused.  One minute he was being flirty and oozing sexuality and the next he was teasing and playing around with her like he was her brother or her best friend.  Why can't guys just say what they mean?  She wondered in exasperation as she stood, watching him grab both his bag and hers then start walking towards the terminal building. 

Aubrey looked around as she followed him, trying to figure out where in the world they were.  What was two hours away from L.A. by plane that had palm trees?   Phoenix?  No.  She shook her head.  Phoenix is a huge city.  She'd definitely not seen any buildings big enough to be Phoenix.  How far away is Hawaii?  She wondered as they entered the airport and Justin put their bags up on the counter for the immigration officials to check. 

"Welcome to San Jose del Cabo, Mexico." The man said, taking their passports and ID from them. 

"Cabo?" Aubrey said aloud in surprise.  She looked over at Justin.  He winked at her as their identities were checked.  She looked at him in awe, a giddy excitement bubbling up within her.  Cabo was surprising and unexpected and absolutely perfect!  It was the kind of place she'd always wanted to go, but had never visited.  Being friends with Mr. SexyBack certainly has its perks. She thought with a smile.

"Have a nice day." The airport official said, handing them back their passports and ID.

"Thanks." Justin said.

"Thank you." Aubrey smiled at the man as she put her passport and driver's license into her purse.  Finally.  She knew where she was.  She and Justin waited for their bags to be inspected. When Justin had picked them both up again, she followed him out towards the front door.  He pulled his hat down further, shading his eyes and Aubrey watched as he looked around the open terminal with the trained eyes of a celebrity who was trying to avoid being recognized by fans and paparazzi. 

"They should be here." He murmured under his breath as he paused for a moment. 

"Who?" Aubrey asked, stopping next to him. 

"The place we're staying at was supposed to send a driver to pick us up." He said looking around.  "Ah!  There he is." He said, pointing towards a man standing down at the end of the terminal with a sign that read, Randy. 

"Randy?" Aubrey asked with a giggle as they began walking towards the man.

Justin shrugged as he grinned.  "I learned early on to make reservations under a different name.  Saves me a lot of hassle."

"Alright then, Randy."  She giggled again.  "What else have you learned?"

A purely evil grin spread across his face.  "Wouldn't you like to know?"

~~~~~~

Aubrey lifter her sunglasses and placed them on top of her head as she followed Justin into the condo he'd rented.  Her jaw dropped.  The place was incredible!  Justin dropped their bags to the floor and placed his hands on his hips--his blue eyes watching her intently--as she walked further inside but she didn't notice.  She was too busy taking in her new surroundings.

The kitchen, dining area and sitting room were all open and connected with large windows that allowed a panoramic view of the ocean.  The furniture and décor were all very clean and modern and somehow looked like Justin.  She glanced over at the man standing next to her and smiled as she walked farther into the condo. 

She saw the bedroom through an open doorway.  Her stomach gave a leap when she saw the large bed taking up most of one wall but she refused to think about all the implications that might come of the next two days right now.  She was determined to take it all one step at a time and not worry excessively over what Justin's expectations may or may not be.  Besides, she thought as she opened the glass doors leading outside and stepped out onto the large patio.  He hasn't even kissed me yet.  Or tried to, for that matter!  I'm worrying over nothing.  I'm just a friend to him.  Aubrey looked over at Justin as he came and stood beside her at the railing. 

"This is incredible!"  She breathed as she looked out over the white sandy beach spread below them and the dark blue waters of The Sea of Cortez glittering in the tropical sunshine.  She could see the heat beginning to rise from some of the building and knew it was going to be a hot day.  "I don't think this is very fair though." She said

"What do you mean?" He chuckled. 

"Well, I made you do yard work and help me with my algebra assignment and you've brought me to paradise!"  She spread her arms wide and turned around to lean back against the railing.  "How is this fair?"

Justin laughed, his blue eyes sparkling, as he stood looking out over the balcony's edge.  "Don't worry about it."  He said, bumping her hip with his.  Aubrey looked over at him and smiled.  "It was my choice to bring you here." He said turning to lean back against the railing with her.  He folded his arms across his chest.  "I could have just taken you to China Town for the day, that place can be pretty exotic sometimes."  He winked and Aubrey laughed. 

"Well," she said taking a step away from him.  "We didn't come all this way just to spend the day standing on the balcony did we?" She asked with a grin.

"Hell no." He said straightening and dropping his arms to his sides. 

"Come on." Aubrey said, reaching down and impulsively grabbing his hand.  "Let's go."

~~~~~~

Justin allowed Aubrey to pull him back inside.  He looked down at where their hands were clasped and couldn't help smiling as his eyes traveled back up to her face.  She'd quickly removed the black jacket she'd been wearing that morning when they'd gotten into the car the resort had sent to pick them up.  Although the weather in Cabo was similar to L.A., it had been a bit chilly this morning when they'd left. But now her jacket was of no use to her.  He noticed a light sprinkling of freckles over her now bare shoulders and Justin found himself imagining his hands caressing her soft skin, his lips tasting her--finding out whether she was as sweet as he imagined she'd be. 

A tremor went through him and he dropped Aubrey's hand as if it had burned him.  "I'm going to put my stuff away before we go and change." He said in explanation when Aubrey looked at him in surprise.  He bent down and grabbed his duffle bag.  Slinging it over his shoulder he turned and headed back towards the bedroom.  "You should too.  You're a bit overdressed to be playing on the beach.  There's another room down that hallway." He said pointing in the opposite direction he was heading.

Where were these thoughts coming from?  He was acting like a damned hormonal teenager who'd never been with or seen a beautiful woman before.  While he wanted to curse Rachel and her meddling interference, he couldn't.  Though he couldn't give full credit to her for introducing him to Aubrey--he'd done that all on his own thanks to his overly friendly and insanely curious dogs--it was the "dinner party" Rachel had concocted a few weeks ago that had finally forced him to see Aubrey as the stunningly beautiful woman she was.  There was something about the girl that had begun to get under his skin and, as much as he fought against it, it was starting to affect him in strange ways.

Justin put his bag on the bed and sat down beside it heavily.  Scrubbing his hands over his face he fell back on the mattress with a groan of frustration.  He wasn't supposed to be feeling this way about her.

Why not?  An annoying voice in the back of his mind argued.

Because!  He grumbled internally.  She's Aubrey!  He hadn't planned on falling for her.

But you did.  The voice countered. 

Justin removed his hands from his face as he stared up at the ceiling.  "But I did."

~~~~~~

Aubrey blew out a frustrated breath as Justin disappeared around the corner.  Justin's behavior was getting stranger by the second.  She'd begun to feel like they'd really connected as they'd been talking on the plane about his tattoos and clothing line.  She smiled, remembering the way his eyes had darkened and the shiver that had skirted down her spine when they'd been discussing the possible location of her hypothetical tattoo on the plane.  Bending down Aubrey picked up her duffle bag and walked in the opposite direction Justin had taken, relieved and disappointed all at the same time that there were two bedrooms in this amazing place.

She began humming as she opened her bag, pulling out the swimming suit she'd debated--up until the last minute--about bringing.  She stopped humming as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and looked over her shoulder.  Her heart fluttered nervously at the thought of Justin seeing her in this small article of clothing.  She looked back at the suit as she sighed, cocking one hip.

"This is ridiculous." She finally grumbled as she kicked her sandals off and put the swimsuit on her bed.  "He's right." She said as she stepped out of her jeans while Justin's words from a few days ago went through her head.  "I spent the majority of my high school years in a swimming suit.  What's the big deal?"  Tossing her clothes and underwear on the bed she shimmied into the suit.  Tying the wrap around skirt she'd bought the other day to go with the suit, Aubrey pulled the white canvas beach bag she'd brought to keep her wallet, sunscreen and towel in.  Slipping her feet into her favorite pair of brown flip flops she took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and walked back out into the main part of the condo.

~~~~~ 

Justin looked up from where he was slouched against the kitchen counter flipping through the What To Do In Cabo magazine he'd found on the table.  He fought to keep his jaw from dropping.  When she'd fought him Wednesday night about bringing her swimming suit this weekend he'd been trying to figure out why she didn't want to wear it and looking at her now he was even more confused at her insecurity.  The simple brown one piece wasn't the most revealing suit he'd ever seen a girl wear but it was by far the sexiest.  He straightened as she walked towards him, his eyes drawn to the length of her left leg that was revealed by the white wrap around skirt she had tied around her waist. 

"Ready?" She asked with a smile.

"Yeah." He looked up at her, swallowing as she pulled out a bottle of sunscreen from the bag she had slung over her shoulder.  She put the bag on the kitchen table as she popped the top on the sunscreen bottle and squirted a quarter-sized amount of the white liquid into her hand.

"Are you okay?" She asked with a chuckle as she began applying the lotion to her arms and shoulders.

"What?" Justin asked, completely distracted.

Aubrey laughed at him.  "Do you want some?" She asked, handing him the bottle.

"Sure." He said taking it from her.  He began putting sunscreen on his arms as well, trying to focus on that task instead of the completely enticing and enchanting woman in front of him.  He closed his eyes and kicked himself mentally.  Five minutes ago you decide you're falling for her and now you can't control yourself around her.  Keep this up and you're going to scare her away before she even knows you're interested.

"Can you do me a favor?" Aubrey asked, breaking him from his thoughts.  Justin looked up at her, watching as she gathered her hair in one hand and turned her back to him.  "Would you mind?" She asked looking over her shoulder at him. 

"Uh..." Justin swallowed, looking back and forth at the expanse of skin now exposed on her back and the bottle of sunscreen in his hands.  "Sure." He stepped towards her.  He squirted some of the lotion into his hand and cleared his throat, disconcerted to realize his hands were shaking. 

This is ridiculous!  What am I, fifteen?  He put the lotion on her back, an almost electric shock running up his arm at the contact.  He noticed the goose bumps that broke out across her shoulders and arms and smiled.  His fingers ran over her warm skin and he leaned closer to her, inhaling the sweet scent of her perfume.  His hands stilled and she turned around. 

"Thanks." She said, looking up at him.

"You're welcome." He replied, his eyes straying to her lips.  If he leaned forward just a bit he could...

Aubrey pulled back and turned as her cell phone suddenly chimed in her bag and Justin turned, scrubbing his hands over his face and blowing out a frustrated breath.  What the hell am I doing?  He thought.  I should have just taken her to China Town.

~~~~~~

Aubrey pulled her cell phone from her bag, her heart racing.  Her body was still tingling from him applying the sunscreen to her back and she knew Justin had been about to kiss her.  She couldn't decide if she was excited about that or scared out of her mind.  Whichever one it was, she was thankful to whomever it was that had decided to send her a text at that precise moment, though she was surprised she'd received a text at all where she was.  She wasn't sure she was ready to deal with implications that would come with kissing Justin.  Their entire relationship would change. 

And what about Andrew?  Her conscious argued. 

Aubrey sighed.  Andrew.  She flipped open her phone and had to laugh at the irony.  Speak of the devil.  She read the text Andrew had sent her. 

How's Phoenix?

She grimaced as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth.  She felt horrible about lying to him, but there was no way she was going to tell him where she really was.  Or who she was with! 

Warm.

She replied, wondering how much those two texts were going to end up costing her.  She felt guilty for a second about lying to him again, but pushed it away.  I'm not really lying.  She reasoned.  Phoenix was quite warm this time of year--everyone knew that.  She closed her phone and shoved it back in her bag, then turned to face Justin again.

"Who was that?" He asked casually, picking up the baseball cap he'd been wearing earlier and pulled it on.

"Oh, um..." She tucked her hair behind her ear as she looked down briefly.  "Andrew." She said, looking back up at him.  Justin just stood looking at her--his blue eyes boring into hers--and she wished, once again, that she could read his thoughts. 

"Let's go." He said, finally breaking eye contact with her.  He grabbed the keys to the condo and put them into his pocket.  "Ready?" He asked.  Aubrey smiled as she pulled a white T-shirt from her bag and pulled it over her head.  Perching her sunglasses on her nose she followed him out the door.

~~~~~

Andrew.

If that wasn't the bucket of ice he'd needed thrown over his head, he didn't know what was.  That one word had grabbed him out of the fantasy world he'd been living in the last ten minutes and slammed him back into reality.  She had a boyfriend.  She wasn't available to him.  He'd never been one to step into a relationship and break it up before and he wasn't going to start now.  Aubrey walked past him as he turned and locked the door.

"What do you want to do?" He asked as they began walking down the front stairs and down the sidewalk.

Aubrey shrugged.  "Have you been here before?" She asked.  He nodded.  "Surprise me." She smiled.

He thought for a moment, wondering where to take her.  "Well, there's always snorkeling at Land's End." He said. 

"Land's End?" She questioned, looking over at him.

"It's the tip of the peninsula." He explained.  "It's actually really cool." He grinned.  "You have to take a boat out there, but there's this awesome beach called Lover's Beach with the Pacific Ocean on one side and The Sea of Cortez on the other."

"Lover's Beach?" Aubrey questioned, her eyes narrowed as she looked at him.  He shrugged as he grinned at her.  "It sounds amazing." Aubrey replied.  "I don't care what we do." She smiled.  "We could just sit on the beach all day and I'd be happy."

"You're certainly easy to please." He teased, noticing her cheeks warm when he glanced over at her.  "I don't know about you," He said.  "But I'm starving.  How about we find something to eat, then we can decide what we want to do for the rest of the day?"

"Sounds like a plan." Aubrey smiled.

They found a small outdoor Mexican café and sat, talking and laughing for almost an hour while they ate.  With every word from her mouth and every laugh that escaped her lips Justin found himself more and more infatuated with the girl.  I hope he knows how lucky he is. He thought, thinking of Andrew as he lifted the bottle of beer he'd ordered to his lips. 

Aubrey was unlike any girl he'd ever known before.  She wasn't afraid to be herself and that encouraged him to do the same.  He'd never been with a girl who made him feel less like the celebrity he was and more like the man he wanted to be. 

"Have you ever golfed before?" He asked suddenly.  Aubrey looked at him in surprise.

"No." She shook her head. 

"Shame." He frowned.  "They have an amazing course here."

"I'd be willing to learn." She replied with a smile and a bat of her eyelashes as she leaned across the table and he wondered if she did it on purpose or if she was truly unaware of how seductive she could be.

He grinned as he sat back and looked at her.  As much as he'd love to play a round of golf, this trip wasn't about what he wanted to do.  It was about what she wanted.  "You know what you should do while we're here?" He asked, changing the subject and cocking his head to the side.

"What?" She asked.

"Get a tattoo."

"What?!" She exclaimed with a laugh.

He nodded.  "Yep.  It's settled.  I just decided." He said, pulling out his wallet and leaving enough money on the table to cover their tab.  "Come on." He said grabbing her hand. 

"Justin!" She laughed as he pulled her along behind him. 

"Don't argue with me." He said, pulling her up next to him and tucking her under his arm.  "We're going to get you over your commitment issues." He said.  Aubrey laughed. 

"I'm not getting a tattoo." She shook her head.  "I don't care who you are or what you think you can get away with."

He looked down into her sparkling eyes and laughed.  "Trust me." He said.

~~~~~ 

Aubrey's stomach flipped at those two words.  Trust me.  Oh, he was dangerous!  He knew.  Somehow he knew that she couldn't say no to him.  She was completely under his spell and helpless to do anything about it.  Though she protested, she still allowed him to lead her down the street at a determined pace.

She laughed when he stopped in front of the tent of one of the many sidewalk vendors lining the street they were on.  "Henna?" She asked, looking at him.  He grinned.

"Only semi-permanent." He told her. 

"Okay." She smiled. 

"Yeah?" He asked in surprise. 

"Yeah." She nodded a smile spreading as she stepped away from him and began looking through the design book set up on the table.  "What should I get?" She asked, looking at him over her shoulder.  He grinned as he stepped up next to her. 

"How about a heart?" He asked, his blue eyes sparkling with mischief. 

Aubrey laughed as she shook her head at his teasing.  "Not today." She said, feeling her cheeks warm as she looked down, continuing to flip through the design book. After looking through them all she finally decided--with Justin's help--on a ring of flowers to put around her ankle.

"If you're not going to get a heart," he said.  "This is the next best thing."

"Really?" Aubrey asked.

"Absolutely." He replied with a teasing grin.  "Nothing is sexier than a woman's ankle."

Aubrey looked at him in surprise.  "Nothing?" She questioned, fighting to keep a straight face.

"Well..." He drawled and she laughed. 

"Careful what you say, Randy." She teased.   

"Have a seat." The woman who ran the booth said, pointing to a stool behind her. 

Aubrey sat down on the stool, putting her bag down on the ground beside her and watched as she pulled out the tools she needed to apply the tattoo to her skin.  The woman patted her thigh, indicating she wanted Aubrey to place her foot there.  With a look at Justin, she did so then watched as the tattoo began taking form.

~~~~~ 

Justin folded his arms, watching as Aubrey placed her foot up in the older woman's lap.  The wrap around skirt she was wearing fell open, revealing the full expanse of her leg and his heart skipped a beat.  Her leg seemed to go on forever and he folded his arms across his chest and looked away from her for a moment.  How in the world had it taken him this long to realize how attracted he was to her?  I'm losing my game.  He thought, his eyes moving back to her--unable to stay away for too long.  Aubrey looked up at him with a smile and he winked at her, feeling jealous of the woman applying her tattoo.  He wished he had such a convenient excuse to touch Aubrey like she was.    

"There you go." The woman told Aubrey as she placed her foot back on the ground fifteen minutes later.

"Thank you." Aubrey smiled as she twisted her leg around, looking at the design.  "How much?" She asked, reaching for her bag.

"Ten dollars." 

Aubrey paid her then turned and smiled at Justin.  "What's next?" She asked.

~~~~~~

"Oh my goodness!" Aubrey exclaimed as they walked into the condo that evening.  "I am exhausted!"  She exclaimed as she sunk down onto the couch.  She smiled as Justin sat down beside her, stretching his long legs out in front of him.  "But I had a great day.  Thank you." She told him. 

"You're quite welcome." He replied with a smile of his own.  "I had a pretty great day myself." 

After they had left the tattoo vendor they'd wandered down to the beach, walking along the waterline for a while before taking a boat out to Land's End and Lover's Beach. They spent a few hours snorkeling along the coral reef that was rivaled only by the one located off the coast of Australia.  They'd only run into a few people who had recognized who he was, but on a whole they had been left to themselves and had enjoyed being together.   Justin watched as Aubrey stood.

"I'm going to take a shower." She said, running her hands through her windblown hair. 

"Good idea." He said standing as well.  "I'll order some room service.  What do you feel like?" He asked as they began walking in the opposite directions to their bedrooms. 

Aubrey shrugged.  "Surprise me." She replied with a grin, giving him the line that had become her mantra, and he laughed. 

~~~~~~

"Justin?" Aubrey called out as she walked back into the main part of the house.  She'd been completely exhausted when they'd gotten back forty-five minutes ago, but the shower she'd taken had helped refresh her a bit.  She was also starving--her stomach growling just then to illustrate her point--and she was curious to see what he'd ordered. 

"I'm out here." His voice called from the patio.  She stepped outside, her heart skipping a beat when he turned to look at her--his blue eyes sparkling as his lips lifted in a grin.  "Senorita." He said, pulling out one of the chairs sitting around the patio table for her.  He looked amazing and Aubrey wondered how it was that someone could pull off jeans and a T-shirt as well as he did.  She smiled as he helped scoot her chair in then sat down across from her. 

"I hope you like shrimp." He said as he lifted to lids on the plates sitting in front of them. 

Aubrey inhaled the aroma of the grilled shrimp on her plate and smiled.  "Love it." She said, her eyes connecting with his.  "Good choice."  He breathed a dramatic sigh of relief and she giggled.  "What was that for?"

"With all the times you've told me to surprise you the last little while, I know my luck's bound to run out sooner or later."  He explained as he picked up his fork.  "One of these days I'm going to surprise you with something you hate."

"So far your track record's pretty good." She said, taking a bite of her shrimp.  "I'll go easy on you when that happens." She winked at him.

"Oh, you're too kind." He replied dryly though his eyes sparkled teasingly.  Aubrey laughed.  They continued talking as they ate and she was amazed at the fact that they never seemed to run out of things to say.  Their conversations were usually random and often quite humorous, but they were never boring.  She loved listening to him talk-learning and finding out all about him--and he never failed to make her laugh.  When they were finished eating she got up and walked across the patio.  She put her hands on the railing as she leaned back and looked up at the sky.

"These stars are amazing." She replied, completely in awe over them.  Justin came to stand beside her and she looked over at him as he stood looking up.

"Reminds me of being home." He said.  "That's one thing I don't like about living in L.A."  He told her.  "You can never see the stars at night."

"I know." She agreed.  "There's just something about them that's...magical..." She faltered as he stepped closer to her.  Aubrey looked at him--his eyes drawing her in and holding her captive.  Her breath caught in her throat and she knew what was about to happen.  As his hand came up--his fingers brushing along her cheek--she swallowed, her heart beating rapidly in her chest.  He was going to kiss her!  She watched as he leaned towards her--his face coming closer--and the only thing she could think of was Andrew.

"Stop." She said, putting her hand on Justin's chest.  He pulled back and looked at her, his brows furrowed in question.  "I can't do this." She told him.  "It's not fair to Andrew."  Justin sighed as he turned and gripped the railing in front of him.  Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and look at him, pleading for him to understand.  "It's not that I don't want to." She told him, putting her hand on his arm.  He turned his head and looked at her.  "I just...I just can't.  Do you understand?" She asked.

He turned to face her.  "Yes." He nodded.  Lifting both hands he placed them on either side of her face, then leaned down and pressed his lips to her forehead.  Aubrey's heart skipped as he pulled back, his blue eyes delving into hers.  "You are an incredible woman, Aubrey Janae Davis." He said, looking at her in amazement.  "I hope he realizes just how special you are."

Aubrey felt tears come to her eyes as Justin removed his hands from her face and turned, walking back into the house.  She stared at his retreating form, completely blown away by what he'd just said and done.  She turned, the tears in her eyes falling as she looked heavenward once more-praying for the guidance and direction she needed.  Her heart was tempting her down one path, while the logical side of her was leading her down another.  She'd never felt so torn and confused.  How was she supposed to choose between two men who were equally good in their own way?  She'd always been able to make decisions based on what was good and what was bad for her but how did one choose between good and good?

With a sigh she turned and sat down on one of the patio chairs.  Why didn't I just let him kiss me?  She wondered.  How did my life get so messed up?  She hadn't wanted to be with Andrew in the first place and now that she was, the man she did want to be with was finally showing interest in her.  I should just go in there and kiss him myself.  She said.  But she didn't move.  She couldn't do it.

I just rejected Justin Timberlake.  She sighed.  What in the world is wrong with me?   

~~~~~~

Justin groaned as he rolled over in his bed, the early morning sun shining in his eyes.  After leaving Aubrey out on the patio last night, he'd spent a restless night in his room trying to convince himself not to march back out there and just kiss her anyway.  Damn Andrew and her admirable loyalty to the guy!  But he just couldn't do it.  The tortured look in her eyes as she'd pled with him to understand why she couldn't kiss him, sent an arrow straight to his heart.  He couldn't do it.  He couldn't hurt her like that.  The only consolation to the fact that he'd gone and made things sufficiently awkward between them was the proof he now had that if they ever were to be together he'd know she'd remain loyal to him no matter what. 

With another groan, this one out of frustration, Justin threw the sheets off of him.  Grabbing the running shorts he'd brought out of his duffle bag, he pulled his tennis shoes on and jammed his baseball cap on his head.  He needed to clear his head and a good run usually did that for him.  Quietly he left the condo, and took off at a steady pace down the street wishing for someway to go back in time and take back what he'd done.

~~~~~

Aubrey yawned and stretched her arms above her head, then snuggled back under the blankets.  She hadn't thought she'd get much sleep last night, but as soon as her head hit her pillow she was out; the incredibly comfortable bed lulling her mentally and physically exhausted body into a deep and dreamless sleep.  She turned and looked at the alarm clock on the bedside table.  9:15

I wonder when we're leaving.  She thought as she stretched again, and then finally got up out of bed.  Grabbing some clean clothes from her duffle bag she headed into the bathroom connected to her room and started the shower. 

An hour later she finally left her room, deciding she'd put off facing Justin long enough.  She was nervous about how to act around him after what had happened last night.  She wasn't sure what she was going to say to him.  She'd thought about his words and the kiss to the forehead he'd given her and she couldn't get the sad look in his blue eyes out of her head.  He'd wanted to kiss her, but had stopped at her request.  What kind of man did that?  She wasn't sure but she didn't think that very many men in his position would have done the same.  Justin Timberlake truly was the down-home, Southern gentleman he seemed to be.

Aubrey stopped short as she came around the corner-the sight of Justin flipping pancakes at the stove making her heart skip a beat.  He must have sensed her presence because he turned around just then and smiled at her. 

"Good morning." He said. 

"Good morning." She replied, forcing her feet to carry her forward. 

"You're just in time." He said, turning back to the pan in front of him.  "These are almost ready."

Aubrey sat down heavily at the kitchen table, watching in awe as he grabbed the skillet and walked towards her.  "How did you..." She began as he placed the two perfectly golden brown pancakes on her plate.  "Where did you get the stuff to make pancakes?" She asked.

"I was up early." He said returning to the stove.  "So I went down to the little market on the corner."  Aubrey looked at the food in front of her, then back at the man standing not ten feet away from her.  She put her elbow up on the table, resting her chin in her hand as she looked at him in amazement. 

Before she could think about it she stood up and walked towards him.  Justin turned to look at her, opening his mouth as if to speak but before the words could form she gripped the front of his shirt and pulled him towards her--pressing her lips against his.  A shot went through her and she pulled back after a few seconds, her chest rising and falling rapidly.  Before she got very far however, Justin put his hands on her face and captured her lips with his, instantly igniting a fire within her. 

Aubrey wrapped her arms around his neck as he tugged her closer, tilting his head in order to deepen the kiss.  She let out a soft moan as he lowered his arms.  His hands gripped her hips--his thumbs brushing along the soft skin below the hem of her T-shirt--and she let out a soft moan.  She gasped as he pulled back and turned suddenly, trapping her between the counter and his firm chest.  His lips connected with hers once again and Aubrey found herself grateful he was holding her up--there was no way her legs would be able to support her.  He mumbled something against her lips but she couldn't understand him. 

"What?" She asked pulling back.

He looked at her.  "Do you want some orange juice?" He asked.

Aubrey was startled back to reality at Justin's question.  Her cheeks blazed as she looked up at him--his blue eyes watching her curiously from where he stood--and realized that what had just happened had only been a figment of her imagination.  She hadn't moved from her spot at the table.  The pancakes he'd placed on her plate a few minutes ago were still sitting there, getting cold. 

"Aubrey?" He asked when she remained quiet.

"Huh?" She asked her eyes dropping.  She couldn't look at him without recalling the way she'd just imagined kissing him.  Her stomach quivered and she cursed her addiction to reading.  She blamed her overactive imagination on the inordinate amount of time she spent reading everyday. 

"Do you want some orange juice?" Justin asked for the third time, looking at her strangely.

"Yes." She said, glancing up at him as she handed him her glass.  "Thanks."

"No problem." He chuckled.  "I thought I lost you there for a second."

"Sorry." She replied as he sat down across from her.  "I was just thinking...about something.  What time do we have to be back at the airport?" She asked, quickly changing the subject.

"Two." He said, watching her closely as she spread some butter on her pancakes then reached for the syrup.

"Good." She said, finally taking a bite.  "There were some bracelets I saw yesterday that I wanted to go back and get for my mom for her birthday." She said beginning to ramble, trying to forget the steamy daydream she'd just had. 

"Okay." He replied.  "Whatever you want."

Does that include you? She thought, putting a hand over her mouth to keep the words from actually coming out.  What is wrong with me?!  She closed her eyes.

"Are you okay?" Justin asked. 

"I'm fine." She insisted, finally looking up at him.  His eyes narrowed in concern as he watched her.  She forced a smile as she placed another bite in her mouth.

"Are you sure?" He questioned.

"Yes." Aubrey nodded.  "Never better."  She lied.

~~~~~~

After finishing their awkward breakfast--Justin looking at her the whole time as if he wanted to say something but never did--they cleaned up and started packing their things.  Aubrey tried to ignore the disappointment she could read in his blue eyes and, though he tried to force a smile and be himself, finally his melancholy mood got the better of her and she had to leave for a few minutes before she was tempted to do something to break the tension between them. 

Slipping out of the house she walked down to the row of street vendors they'd perused the day before.  Aubrey glanced down at the tattoo around her ankle, remembering the way Justin had teased her about what design she should get and then the way he had looked at her as the woman had been applying the ink to her skin.  It hadn't been hard to read that look--it was the same look he'd given her on her birthday.  The same look he'd given her last night as they'd stood outside on the patio.  He wanted her. 

But for how long?

Try as she might, she couldn't get Andrew's words from last week out of her head.  "Why would he settle for someone like you?"  Andrew was right.  Justin had his pick of any woman on the planet.  Why would he pick her?  Why would he settle for plain, old, boring Aubrey Davis from nowhere, Virginia?

"He's a celebrity.  He's used to getting his way." 

"Well that's certainly true." Aubrey mumbled under her breath.  He wasn't stuck up and pretentious but it was obvious he was used to a certain way of life.  I mean, come on.  She thought.  Who has the money to just fly to Cabo for the weekend--on a private jet--and rent out a private condo?  A small laugh escaped her as she finally came to the jewelry vendor she'd seen the day before.  Picking out a couple silver bracelets she thought her mom would like, Aubrey turned and headed back towards the condo.  She'd left without telling Justin where she was going and she didn't want him to worry about her. 

As she walked slowly back the way she'd come, the last angry retort of Andrew's played in her head. 

"You're naïve if you think he's after anything more than a chance to get in your pants."

Her step faltered as she thought about Andrew's declaration.  If that were true, why hadn't Justin pushed her harder last night?  If he'd really wanted to sleep with her all he would have had to do was turn on the charm a little more and she'd have eventually caved.

But he hadn't. 

Instead of pressing her, he'd respected her and left her alone with only the soft kiss he'd placed on her forehead, and the declaration that he thought she was incredible and special. 

A tingle went through her and goose bumps broke out over her arms as she recalled the look in his blue eyes as he'd said those words to her.  She didn't believe he was after just a quick roll in the sheets with her.  She couldn't.  But if he wasn't, what was he after?  What exactly had been his motivation behind their almost kiss last night?  While a part of her wanted to talk about what had happened the night before--ask him what he had been thinking--a bigger part of her just wanted to move on from the whole embarrassing and awkward situation and put it behind them.  They both knew what had almost happened, and they both knew why it couldn't.

End Notes:
don't hate me...lol...
Chapter 13 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Yes, I'm putting off the paper I have to write for Monday...lol...shhh!  Don't tell my professor! :)
"How was Phoenix?" Andrew asked Aubrey Wednesday evening as they sat down on the couch after dinner.  Aubrey looked at him, her heart beginning to pound.

"What?" She asked.

Andrew looked at her strangely.  "Phoenix?" He chuckled.  "You know?  The place you went this weekend?"

"Oh, um..." Aubrey swallowed as she looked down at her hands.  "It was..."  She cleared her throat nervously.  "It was..."

"It was?" Andrew prompted with another chuckle.  "What's wrong?" He asked nudging her with his shoulder.

Aubrey looked up at him.  She'd been debating with herself since Sunday on when and what to tell Andrew about her weekend with Justin.  She knew he deserved the truth.  He deserved to know what had happened and what kind of woman she was.  It was obvious she was unable to control her emotions and hormones and she knew she didn't deserve him.  She looked down again, unable to meet his gaze.

"Bre?" He asked, leaning closer. 

"I didn't go." She said quietly, glancing up at him from beneath her lashes.

Andrew looked at her, his smile fading as his brow furrowed in confusion.  "You didn't...then where did you go?" He asked.

Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she looked up at him.  She needed to tell him before he saw another picture of her and Justin in some tabloid magazine but she was scared.  Although they hadn't really been harassed by any fans while they'd been in Cabo, there was always someone around with a camera and she'd bet money that sooner or later and picture of them would surface.  Closing her eyes she took a deep breath and told him.

"Cabo San Lucas." She said.

Andrew laughed.  "Yeah," he said nodding his head.  "Right."

"Andrew..." Aubrey said, reaching over and taking his hand. 

"Okay." He said with a chuckle, still clearly disbelieving of her answer.  "Okay then, who did you go with?  Justin?" He laughed.  Aubrey said nothing--holding his gaze steadily--her heart racing frantically.  She saw understanding slowly dawn in his blue eyes and she felt horrible.

"You lied to me?" He asked quietly.  "Why?"

"Because--"

"Did you sleep with him?" He asked.

"No." Aubrey shook her head, scooting closer to him.  "That's not what happened." She said. 

"Then what did happen, Aubrey?" He asked his voice hard as he removed his hand from hers. 

"We made a bet over something a few months ago." She told him.  "Our wager was that if he lost he had to take me somewhere exotic.  Well...he lost and he surprised me with the trip last weekend."  She said, giving him the Reader's Digest version of what had led up to her going away.

"I can't believe this!" Andrew exclaimed.  Aubrey winced as he stood suddenly and looked down at her.  "You lied to me." He accused again.

"I know." Aubrey nodded as she hung her head.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because--"

"Because you knew I wouldn't want you to go." Andrew cut in.  Aubrey looked up at him, feeling about two inches tall at the moment.    "You told me you wanted this," he said gesturing between them. "But in the time we've been back together all I hear about is you and him!" He shouted.  "I realize he came into your life before I came back and I was willing to overlook the fact that you being friends with him didn't sit well with me but this is too much." Andrew began pacing angrily in front of her.  Aubrey sat, silently watching him from the couch, afraid to interject.  "If you didn't want to be in this relationship you should have told me.  We're supposed to be dating and yet you've been sneaking around the whole time lying to me about these little rendezvous' with your celebrity lover."

"He's not my lover!" Aubrey interjected, finally breaking her silence.  "Nothing happened while we were there!"  She said standing.

He laughed bitterly.  "You're going to stand there and tell me that you went to Cabo, with Justin Timberlake and nothing happened?" He asked, folding his arms across his chest as he glared at her.  Aubrey swallowed.  She'd never seen Andrew so angry.  She was suddenly thankful that Justin was who he was--if he weren't a celebrity she knew Andrew wouldn't hesitate to track him down and beat him up.

"I knew it." Andrew said, taking her silence for an admission.  He took a step to leave.

"No!" She said, putting her hand on his arm to stop him.  "Nothing like what you're thinking happened." She said.

"How in the hell do you know what I'm thinking?" He shot back. 

Aubrey winced.  "I don't." She said.  "But before you go throwing accusations around you need to listen to me."  Andrew shrugged her hand off his arm then folded his arms across his chest--his jaw clenched tightly.  "We had separate rooms." She told him.  "We spent the day shopping, and snorkeling and sitting on the beach talking.  Saturday night--after dinner--he tried to kiss me." She said.  Andrew inhaled a sharp breath, the accusatory fire in his eyes scorching her.  "But I pushed him away." She told him.  "I told him I couldn't do it...because of you."

Andrew was quiet for a moment.  "How do I know you're telling me the truth?" He asked.  "How do I know that's all that happened?"

"You're just going to have to trust me." She told him. 

"I used to." He replied, his words piercing her heart.  She looked at him in shock--feeling like the wind had just gotten knocked out of her.  She'd never had anyone tell her they'd lost their trust in her before and even though she knew she deserved it, it still hurt to hear him say it. 

"Andrew." She reached out to him but he pulled back from her, contempt clouding his blue eyes.  Everything was falling apart around her.  She'd pushed Justin away because of Andrew and now she was losing Andrew in spite of it.  She felt tears start forming as she watched him walk past her. 

"Don't call me for awhile." He said.

Aubrey stood, frozen in place, watching as Andrew walked away from her.  She heard the front door open and close then collapsed on the couch.  She put her hands over her face as the tears started to fall and she'd never wished harder for a way to travel back in time.

"Sweetheart, what's wrong?" Grams asked in concern as she came into the Family Room a minute later.  Aubrey looked up at her, her tears falling harder.  Grams sat down beside her and Aubrey fell into her open arms, sobbing against her grandmother's chest.

"It wasn't supposed to happen like this." She cried.  "It wasn't supposed to happen like this."

~~~~~~

"Ooh!  You don't look so good." Rachel remarked to Aubrey as she came into the office Thursday morning.  The younger girl looked like her entire world had just crumbled around her feet.  "Are you okay?"  She asked in concern.  She'd never seen Aubrey look so dejected and forlorn.  The sparkle was gone from her eyes and the smile was completely absent from her face.

"No." Aubrey shook her head and sniffed.

Rachel saw the tell-tale sheen of tears in Aubrey's eyes and her heart went out to her.  She didn't know what was going on but it was more than obviously that Aubrey was struggling to hold it together right now and needed a shoulder to cry on. 

"What can I do?" Rachel asked. "Anything." She pledged.  "You name it."

"I know you're busy right now with everything but..." Aubrey paused, her bottom lip trembling slightly.  "Can we talk?" She asked.

"Absolutely." Rachel nodded as she came around the front desk.  She leaned down, putting her arms around Aubrey from behind.  "When?" She asked.

"Are you busy tonight?" Aubrey asked.  "We could go out to dinner or...something." She wiped at the stray tears that had escaped.

Rachel pulled back.  "I have a better idea." She said reaching into her purse and pulling out a tissue.  She handed it to Aubrey.  "JC's out on tour right now, so why don't you come over to the house." She smiled softly.  "That way you can cry as much as you need without a bunch of random strangers watching you.  We can order a pizza and just talk."

Aubrey nodded as she wiped her nose.  "Okay." She said.  "Thanks, I really appreciate it.  I don't really have anyone else..."

Rachel leaned down and gave her another hug.  "It'll be okay." She said, even though she had no idea what the problem was.  Aubrey nodded as she pulled back and Rachel smiled.  "You know where my desk is if you need to talk before tonight."

"Thanks." Aubrey said as she took a steadying breath.  Rachel looked at her for a moment longer than turned and walked back towards her desk, praying she'd be able to help Aubrey with whatever it was she was struggling with right now.  I wish Megan were here.  She thought.  She'd know what to do.    

~~~~~~

"Okay.  What's going on?" Rachel asked as she sat down next to Aubrey on her couch later that evening. 

Aubrey looked over at the girl who, up until a few months ago, was just another face she said hello to in the morning and good-bye to at night.  In the time they'd gotten to know each other Aubrey's entire life had changed and she was grateful--without Rachel's friendship she knew she'd be even more of a mess than she was right now. 

"Andrew hates me and I've pushed Justin away." Aubrey said, hanging her head and putting her hands over her face.

"Why don't you start at the beginning?" Rachel suggested. 

Aubrey sighed as she looked up at Rachel.  "Do you remember that day we went shopping and I bought the dress I wore on my birthday?  We ran into Justin at lunch?" She asked.  Rachel nodded as she took a bite of the chicken, spinach alfredo pizza they'd gotten.  "Justin and I made a bet that day..."  She said and proceeded to tell Rachel everything-from the conditions of their wager to the "normal" day she'd given Justin when it appeared he had won.

"So that's why he..." Rachel shook her head as she laughed.  "Oh, he's going to pay for that."  Aubrey looked at her in question.  "Don't listen to me." Rachel said.  "Continue."

"Then there was the night of my birthday." Aubrey said.  "And your whole scheme of getting us together."

"Scheme?" Rachel asked innocently.  "What are you talking about?"

Aubrey just looked at her.  "You're not as sneaky as you think you are, Rachel." She said.

"Was it really that obvious?" Rachel asked.

"Yes." Aubrey said making Rachel laugh. 

"Okay." Rachel said.  "I'm sorry. But, let's get back to you.  What happened that night?"

"I told him, because it was obvious that he hadn't been able to get you to leave us alone, that he owed me.  He asked me where I wanted to go and I told him to surprise me."

Rachel lifted a brow and made an interested noise.  "That's a dangerous thing to say to that man." She mumbled under her breath as she took a drink of her soda. 

"You got that right." Aubrey replied. 

"So what happened?" Rachel asked. 

"So...he surprised me." Aubrey said continuing her story.  She told Rachel the lengths Justin had gone to, to keep their final destination a surprise.  She told her about the condo and the day they'd spent swimming and playing on the beach.

"Wait." Rachel said, stopping Aubrey's narration.  "What about Andrew?" She asked.  "He was okay with you going away for the weekend with Justin?"

"No." Aubrey said looking down.  "He...he didn't know where I was."

"What?" Rachel asked.

"Or who I was with."

"What?!" Rachel exclaimed. 

Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she looked over at Rachel.  "That's why I needed to talk." She said.  "I...I lied to him about where I was."

"Where did you tell him you were?" Rachel asked.

"I told him I was in Phoenix." Aubrey replied.  "With you."  Rachel looked at her in shock. 

"You lied?" Rachel asked in disbelief, her jaw hanging open.  "I can't...but you're Aubrey!" She said.  "You don't...you lied?!  I don't believe it."

"Thanks." Aubrey said dryly. 

"No I mean..." Rachel hesitated.  "I'm just surprised.  What did...does Andrew know now where you were?"  She asked.

"Yes." Aubrey said.  "But I'm not to that part of the story yet."

"Sorry." Rachel replied.  "So did anything else happen in Cabo, or was that it?"

"He tried to kiss me." Aubrey blurted out.

"What?!" Rachel exclaimed.

"We went back to the condo Saturday night.  Justin had ordered room service from the resort and we ate out on the patio.  We talked and laughed and then afterwards we were standing out there, looking up at the stars and he...he leaned in and...I stopped him." Aubrey paused.

"I'm sorry, what?" Rachel asked looking at her in confusion.  "Justin Timberlake--Mr. I'm bringing sexy back--flew you down to Cabo San Lucas on a private jet, reserved a private condo for the two of you to spend the weekend at, spent the day shopping and snorkeling with you, shared a romantic dinner under the stars with you and you pushed him away when he tried to kiss you?  Who does that?!" She asked.

Aubrey sighed.  Closing her eyes she placed her elbows on her knees and covered her face with her hands.  "That's what I've been asking myself for the last five days." She said.

"And have you come up with an answer?" Rachel asked.  "Cuz I'd sure like to know.  Heaven knows if I were in your shoes I wouldn't have--"

"Are you sure?" Aubrey asked, cutting her off as she looked up at Rachel.  "If you were in my shoes, you'd have kissed him?  Really?  What about JC?"

"Well, I..."

"Exactly." Aubrey said.  "You would have pushed him away too and you know it."

"Is that why you pushed him away?" Rachel asked.  "Because of Andrew?"

Aubrey put her head back against the couch as she let out a sob.  "I don't know why I pushed him away.  I know part of it was because I felt guilty about Andrew..."

"And the other part?" Rachel asked. 

"I don't know." Aubrey replied.  "I just...since we met I've been just a friend to him and then all the sudden, standing out there on that balcony, he wants to kiss me?"  She scrubbed her hands over her face.  "Why?"  She asked.

"Why not?" Rachel countered. 

Aubrey looked over at her.  "Because he's Justin Timberlake and I'm just...me."

~~~~~~

Just do it.  He told himself, looking down at his cell phone Thursday night. 

Justin paced around his front room--Buckley and Brennan both watching him intently--as he debated on what he should do.  It had been five days since he'd seen or talked to Aubrey and he'd had to talk himself out of calling her about a dozen times each of those days.  He hated that he'd ruined their friendship by trying to kiss her and knew it was up to him to fix things.  The only problem was, he also knew that no matter what he did it would look like he was trying to pursue her--that he wanted to steal her away and that he didn't care that she was in a relationship with someone else--when all it was, was that he missed her and wanted to spend time with her.

Justin sat down on the couch, leaning his forearms against his legs as he hung his head.  He'd realized over the weekend, just how much she'd come to mean to him.  She was smart, funny and beautiful.  She made him feel like just a regular guy.  She didn't care that his face and name were recognized the world over--to her he was just Justin.  She wasn't afraid to be herself.  She made him laugh.  She made him think.  She surprised the hell out of him on a regular basis and he loved it! 

Brennan stood up and came over to him--nuzzling his hand--as if she knew who it was he was thinking about.  The boxer looked at him with her big brown eyes and Justin sighed.  "I'm being ridiculous, aren't I?" He asked her.  Brennan whined as she sat down beside him and Justin laughed.  "I should just call her, huh?  Get it over with.  Alright," he took a deep breath as he pressed the button to select Aubrey's name from his phonebook then held the phone against his ear.  "Here goes nothing."

~~~~~

Rachel shifted on the couch so she was sitting sideways--facing Aubrey.  "You don't give yourself enough credit." She said but Aubrey just rolled her eyes.  "Is that why you were crying this morning?  Because Justin tried to kiss you?"

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "I told Andrew what happened last night." She said.

"And?" Rachel asked when she paused.

"He was so angry!" 

"And with good reason." Rachel said. 

"But nothing happened!" Aubrey replied.  "I tried telling him that, but he...he didn't believe me.  I don't know what to do." She said.  "Nothing happened the way I thought it was going to."

"What did you think was going to happen?" Rachel asked. 

"I didn't think Justin was going to kiss me!" Aubrey said.  "I didn't think I'd push him away and I didn't think Andrew would be as angry as he was."

"Well of course he was angry!" Rachel said.  "What did you expect?"

"I don't know!" Aubrey exclaimed in exasperation.  "I don't know." She covered her face again with her hands.

"Listen," Rachel said reaching out and placing her hand on Aubrey's leg.  "The point isn't that nothing happened between you and Justin last weekend.  The point is that you went.  And you lied about it to Andrew.  That's a major trust issue right there and take it from me," she said putting a hand to her chest.  "Nothing good ever happens when you lie to the people you care about."

"What am I going to do?" Aubrey asked, lowering her hands.

"I don't know." Rachel said.  "What are you going to do?  What does your heart say?"

"I never thought Justin would...see me...as anything more than just a friend." Aubrey said.  "So when Andrew came back I..."

"Do you love him?" Rachel asked.

"Who?"

"Andrew."  Rachel said.  "Or Justin."

"Justin is a fantasy." Aubrey replied. 

"Sometimes fantasies come true." Rachel smiled.  "It just depends on how hard you're willing to work for it."  Aubrey remained quiet, thinking, as Rachel continued.  "Are you going to be content with Andrew for the rest of your life, always wondering what could have been?  Or are you willing to take a chance and find out if the fantasy of Justin is better than any reality you could have planned for?"  Aubrey looked at Rachel in stunned silence. 

"Andrew is...safe." Aubrey said.  "He's not going to hurt me."

"You don't know that." Rachel replied.  "There's always the possibility for anyone to hurt you.  That's what happens in life.  People hurt each other.  But, like my best friend, Megan, told me once when I was struggling with this same problem--you either forgive them and move on, or you don't.  It's a choice you have to make."

"But why would he--"

"Justin is not your stereotypical celebrity." Rachel cut in.  "The reason I was trying so hard to get you two together was because I could see that you were what he was looking for.  He's looking for something real--something like you--and if he's finally woken up and realized that you're the one he wants and needs, you'd be a fool to push him away again.  Aubrey, getting hurt is a part of life and you can either suck it up and face it head on, or you can hide away in a corner but take it from someone who hid from love for a long time because I was too afraid to face the pain I'd gone through--hiding in a corner isn't very much fun."

Aubrey sat, dumbfounded at all that Rachel had just told her.  She didn't know what to say or how to respond.  She should have known that Rachel would try and push her to choose Justin but she was scared.  She knew what Rachel had just told her was true but knowing something and actually having the strength to put it into action were too very different things.  How could she be sure that if she chose Justin he wouldn't hurt her in the end?  How could she be sure that two, three, or five years down the road he decided he was looking for something else-something that wasn't her?  She may not be as pop culture savvy as some, but she read and watched enough to know that relationships in Hollywood never lasted long.  Sure, Justin may not be the typical celebrity as Rachel pointed out, but he was still a celebrity and there was no guarantee that a few years down the road he wouldn't trade her in for a newer model. 

Aubrey jumped as her phone began ringing in her purse.  She bent down and picked it up, almost dropping it when she read the name printed on the screen.  "He's calling." She said looking at Rachel in a panic.  "He's calling!" 

"Who?" Rachel asked, confused.

"Justin!" Aubrey exclaimed.

"Answer it." Rachel replied.  "What are you waiting for?  Here's your chance!"  Aubrey looked at Rachel imploringly--she didn't want to answer it.  She wasn't ready to make her decision yet.  "Answer it!"  Rachel commanded.

Aubrey closed her eyes as she flipped open her phone and placed it against her ear.  "Hello?" She asked timidly.

"Aubrey?" Justin's voice asked in uncertainty.

"Yeah." She breathed. 

"Hi." He said.  "How's it going?"

"Uh..." Aubrey swallowed.  "I've been better.  What's up?" She asked standing and turning her back to Rachel.  She couldn't look at her, knowing what she wanted her to do and say. 

"I was calling to see if you were busy Saturday night." He said.

"Don't you have your fashion show this weekend?" Aubrey asked.

"Yeah, that's...that's why I'm calling.  I wanted to see if you wanted to come with me."  Justin told her.  "It's just...I liked the comments and suggestions you gave when you were looking at the designs with me.  I gave them all to Trace and he liked them too.  I thought you might like seeing everything come to life." 

"Oh." Aubrey replied, her heart pounding nervously in her chest.  "I don't--"

"Please?" He asked.  "I really want you to come."

"Justin, I'm not sure that's such a great idea." Aubrey said.  "Andrew's really upset with me about last weekend and if I were to...I just don't think this is a good time for you and I to do anything else together."

"I promise I won't try to kiss you again." He said.  "I-I...I learned my lesson."

"It's not that." Aubrey tried to assure him, hating the awkwardness between them and the dejection she could hear in his voice.  She felt so frustrated and confused she wanted to scream!  "I need some time, Justin." She told him.  "I'm just...things are a little crazy right now and I just need some time to figure it all out."

He was quiet for a moment then, "I'm sorry." He said.  "I didn't mean to...if I could go back in time and change what I did, I would."  What does that mean? Aubrey wondered.  Did that mean he hadn't really wanted to kiss her?  That he regretted it?  That is had been what she had thought--just a reaction to the environment they'd been in?  She closed her eyes as a tear slipped down her cheek.  "If you change your mind," He said.  "You know my number."

"Yeah." She replied, not trusting her voice for anything more than a one-word answer.

"Bye." He said.  Aubrey lowered her phone--closing it--and stood standing in place. 

"Call him back." Rachel said, reminding Aubrey of her presence and making her jump.

"What?" Aubrey asked, wiping the tears from her face as she turned back around.

"Call him back." Rachel repeated her arms folded across her chest.  "Whatever it was he wanted you to do, call him back and tell him you'll do it."

"I can't." Aubrey replied. 

"Can't?" Rachel asked, one eyebrow rising.  "Or don't want to?"

"I gotta go." Aubrey said, walking over to her purse.  Grabbing the bag she picked it up and slung it over her shoulder.

"Wait." Rachel said, reaching out and placing her hand on Aubrey's arm.  "I'm sorry.  Don't go."

"It's okay." Aubrey said forcing a smile.  "I'm not mad.  I just...I just need to go.  Like I told him," she lifted the cell phone still in her hand.  "I need some time to think about everything."  She reached her arms out and put them around Rachel.  "Thank you." She said sincerely.  "For everything.  You'll never know how thankful I am that we've become friends."  She pulled back and wiped at her tears again.  "Someone upstairs knew I would need you and I'm grateful."

"Aubrey..."

"I'll see you tomorrow." Aubrey said as she turned and quickly left before she made anymore of a fool of herself--getting all sappy and emotional.  She had a long night of thinking ahead of her and she knew it wasn't going to be easy--things that really mattered rarely were.  She also knew, whatever decision she came to, it was going to hurt, one way or another.        

~~~~~~

"I ruined it." Justin said as he put his phone down.  Closing his eyes he put a hand to his forehead.  Brennan whined as she put her head on his knees.  "We're not even dating and I ruined it!"

Everything he'd been looking for had been right in front of him this whole time and he'd lost it.  He was such a fool!  He'd lost the one thing he'd spent his entire life searching for before he'd even had a chance to tell her how he felt. 

"It's over." He said.  Before it had had a chance to even begin, it was over and Justin had never felt so helpless.  No matter what he did now, he knew it wouldn't make a difference.  Aubrey was gone and he had no one to blame but himself.     

Chapter 14 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Okay I finally finished my paper which means: ding, point for me!  And ding, a chapter for you!  :)
"Justin!  Justin, over here.  Look over here!"

Justin turned, posing as the flashbulbs went off all around him.  Years of practice made it possible for him to stand there with a smile on his face when all he wanted to do was get in, do what needed to be done, and go home.  He signed a few autographs as he continued on down the carpet, successfully fooling everyone into thinking he was happy and excited about the show about to take place.  One thing his years in the public eye had made him was a master at the art of cover up.  He could walk through a crowd of people, schmoozing with the best of them, and no one was the wiser to what was really going on inside of him. 

Since calling Aubrey Thursday evening, he had been dreading today.  A week ago he'd been looking forward to showing off the new line he and Trace had designed, but now he wanted to be anywhere but here.  There were more important things in life than the latest fashion trends.

Like dealing with the fact that he'd successfully driven away the woman he was interested in without even really trying.  Justin let out a sigh as he finally made it inside the building and walked backstage-dodging around all the models, assistants, make-up artists, and everyone else scurrying around behind the scenes. 

"Hey man, where you been?" Trace asked, coming up to him.  The loud music playing made it necessary for them to talk loudly to each other. 

"Outside." Justin answered, jerking a thumb over his shoulder.  "Thanks for leaving me alone out there."

"You know they don't give a damn about me." Trace replied.  "You're the only one they ever want to talk to.  You're the celebrity." He smiled wryly.

"Is everything set?" Justin asked grabbing a bottle of water from a passing intern who was carrying a bucket of them to the dressing area. 

"Yeah." Trace said, looking around.  "Everyone's getting dressed."  He looked at his watch.  "We're still on schedule." Justin nodded as he took a healthy swallow of his water.  "Was Aubrey able to come?" Trace asked, looking around.

"No." Justin shook his head.  Luckily, his clipped answer and the fact that Trace had known him most of his life, made him drop the subject.

"Is that what you're wearing?" Trace asked.

"What's wrong with it?" Justin asked in irritation, looking down at his jeans and the gray sweater vest he was wearing over a white short sleeved, collared shirt. 

"Nothing." Trace answered.  "I was just wondering." He turned.  "What crawled up your ass?" He mumbled under his breath.

"What?" Justin asked.

"Nothing." Trace replied as he turned and walked away.  Justin scowled.  He knew he should apologize--it wasn't Trace's fault he was in such a sour mood--but he couldn't help it.  It was like that old saying: misery loves company.  He was miserable and he wanted everyone else to feel that way too.  It wasn't fair that other people got to go on with their happy little lives while he was stuck wanting to mope around and feel sorry for himself.  Justin scrubbed his hands over his face then dropped his head back, looking up at the ceiling.

Can I just start over? He asked.  Is there a way I can go back and start this whole damn thing over? 

"Start what thing over?" A familiar voice asked.

Justin dropped his head, looking at the woman who had been his make-up artist for the past eight years.  Annie stood with her hand on her hip as she observed him closely.  "Did I say that out loud?" He asked.

"You sure did." She replied.  "Sounds like you need to come sit down and tell me what's going on." She took a step back and pointed to the make-up chair beside her. 

Justin sighed as he walked over to her.  "You don't want to know." He said, dropping down into the chair.

"Sure I do." She said with a smile as she began cleaning up all the bottles and brushes spread out on the table next to them.  "I got into this business because I'm an exceptionally nosey person and there's no better way to find out the latest juicy gossip than to hang around backstage with musicians and actors."  She pulled a rolling tray of towards her and began putting things away.  "Wanna talk about it?" She asked casually, grabbing a few brushes. 

Justin shrugged.  Why not? He thought.  He knew it helped to talk it out and maybe she'd be able to offer an impartial perspective; something to help him figure out what the hell was going on.

Annie had started working with him on N SYNC's Celebrity tour.  When he'd done his first album and the group had gone on hiatus, he'd talked Annie into coming with him on tour--he trusted her and frankly didn't want to deal with having to get used to someone new.  Luckily she'd agreed and had been with him ever since.  They'd had a last minute cancellation with one of the artists that was supposed to be working the show today, so he'd given Annie a call to see if she was available and interested.  She'd agreed and he was suddenly glad she had.  

"She's driving me nuts." He began.

"I thought so." Annie nodded with a triumphant smile on her face.

"What do you mean, you thought so?" Justin asked with a chuckle, looking at her in question.  "This is the first time I've said anything about Aubrey to you."

"Aubrey, huh?" Annie mused as she continued cleaning up without missing a beat.  "There's only one thing that could put you in a mood like the one you're in right now and that's a girl." She continued.  "Here, hold this." She said, handing him a basket that she proceeded to put all her containers of eye shadow into.

"What do you mean?" He asked looking down at the basket in his hands then back up at her.

"I think you forget sometimes how long I've been working for you." Annie replied.  "I met you right after the break-up with Britney and I've been here through each subsequent break-up.  Only this time..." She paused and Justin looked up at her.  She looked at him--her head cocked to the side as she held the end of the make-up brush in her hand to her lips.  She pursed her lips in thought as she studied him. 

"This time?" Justin asked, his heart pounding nervously at what she was going to say.  Annie-like all those in the cosmetology world--had an unnatural gift of insight and whether he wanted to be or not, he was curious about what she was thinking. 

"This time is different.  Isn't it?" She asked, folding her arms across her chest.  Justin dropped his gaze again--unable to continue meeting her gaze.  "Thought so." She said.  "Why don't you tell me why you want to go back and start all over instead of fighting for her?" 

~~~~~~

Aubrey pulled her legs up beneath her on the couch as she turned on the television Saturday night.  She was grateful she'd finished her classes a few weeks ago, before everything had blown up this week.  She knew there was no way she would have been able to concentrate on finals with everything going on.  She'd been withdrawn and sullen ever since talking to Rachel Wednesday evening and she couldn't get Rachel's questions out of her head. 

"Do you love him?"

"Are you going to be content with Andrew for the rest of your life, always wondering what could have been?"

"What does your heart say?"

Aubrey put her head back against the couch, staring up at the ceiling.  She'd gone back and forth the last three days--weighing the pros and cons of each choice.  Andrew was the sensible choice.  He was respectful; he was charming and endearing and she felt comfortable with him.  He knew her secrets.  She didn't have to worry and wonder about whether or not he would still want to be with her when he found out the truth--he'd been there from the beginning. 

Justin, on the other hand--aside from not knowing about her medical history--had everything Andrew possessed and more.  For one thing, there's the added sex appeal.  Aubrey thought.  He made her heart race and her endorphins run wild with just a simple glance.  She didn't know what it felt like to kiss him, but she could imagine and it made her stomach quiver.  It was exciting to feel that way about someone but at the same time she was petrified.  She'd never felt like this before and she knew she wouldn't survive it if she gave him her heart and he decided a few years down the road that he no longer wanted her.  Rachel's statement that getting hurt was just a part of life did nothing to calm her fears.     

"This is ridiculous!" Aubrey finally exclaimed, hitting her fists on the couch.  She knew she needed to suck it up, be an adult and just make a decision.  The ball was entirely in her court and everyone was waiting for her to make the first move.  Closing her eyes she took a deep breath as the decision loomed before her.  It shouldn't be so difficult!  She'd had to make tougher decisions in the past, why was she having such a hard time with this one?  It isn't fair.  She thought.  It just isn't fair.

~~~~~

"It isn't fair." Aubrey said as she lay curled up in the bed in the hospital room she'd been assigned to.  Andrew turned from where he'd been standing by the window.  "Why do I even have to make this decision?" She asked him, even though she knew he wouldn't have the answer anymore than she did.  "I'm only eighteen!" She exclaimed as he sat down in the chair beside the bed..

"I know." He replied, his blue eyes full of sympathy.  "I'm sorry, Bre.  If I could make the decision for you I would."

"I know." Aubrey sighed, closing her eyes. She couldn't get the doctor's words out of her head.  She'd been diagnosed with endometriosis three years ago after dealing with the chronic and often debilitating pain associated with her monthly cycle.  Her doctor had put her on medication to help reduce the pain and she'd had a few smaller surgeries the last few years to remove some of the damaging tissue, but nothing had seemed to help.  When she'd collapsed last night at her parent's house because of the excruciating pain, Andrew had rushed her to the Emergency Room.  She'd been admitted and had stayed overnight--waiting for her own doctor to examine her.  His pronouncement?  A hysterectomy seemed to be the only option left to cure the disease and stop the pain.

Aubrey looked over at Andrew.  He'd gone above and beyond the call of duty--staying with her overnight--but she was glad he was there.  Her parent's were out of town because of an assignment her father was on.  Andrew had called her mother last night to tell her what had happened and she'd gotten on the first flight back but was still several hours away, while her brother was in California visiting their grandparents.  Although the decision was entirely hers to make, she was glad to have someone else at least in the room with her while she made it and she knew Andrew was being truthful-if he could make the choice for her he would.

She reached her hand out to him and he took it, giving her a reassuring squeeze.  She knew his feelings for her went far beyond the ones she had for him and at times she felt guilty about taking advantage of the fact that he was infatuated with her.  This time, however, she needed him and his quiet strength.

"I'm never going to get to have kids." She told him.  He nodded solemnly.  Her bottom lip trembled slightly.  "No one's going to want to be with me now." She declared.

Andrew looked at her for a moment in silent contemplation then leaned towards her.  "Anyone who says they can't be with you just because you can't have children didn't really love you the first place." He said. "If that ever happens, you let me know and I'll got beat some sense into them." He offered with a smile.  Aubrey laughed quietly then took a deep breath. 

"Can you go find the doctor?" She asked him.  "I made my decision."         

~~~~~ 

Pulling her bottom lip between her teeth Aubrey opened her eyes.  Lowering her legs she shifted, pulling her cell phone from her pocket.  Opening it, she typed out a quick text message and sent it, hoping he would read it instead of just deleting it because he was upset with her.

I've made a decision.  We need to talk.  Can we meet tomorrow afternoon?

~~~~~~

Justin pulled his cell phone from his pocket as it vibrated. 

The Vortex.  Tonight. 11 pm.  Be there.

He read Ryan's text as he left the fashion show venue and got into his car, pursing his lips in thought.  Did he want to go out and party tonight?  What the hell? He thought.  I'm not doing anything else.  He texted back, saying he'd be there then drove home. 

The show had gone well and he and Trace had been approached by a few new buyers interested in putting their line into their stores.  When he'd first started the clothing line with Trace, neither one of them thought it would turn out like it had.  What had started out as the two of them simply trying to design some comfortable clothes had turned into a multi-million dollar company!  Had someone told him when he was eleven years old, singing on Star Search what life had in store for him, he never would have believed it!    Not too bad. He thought smugly thinking back on all he'd accomplished and been able to do in the seventeen years since that first taste of the spotlight.  For a simple kid from Tennessee I haven't done too bad for myself.  Everyone knows who I am and I can get anything I want.

Anything? The annoying voice in his head asked as a picture of Aubrey face flashed before his eyes.

Justin pushed the thought away angrily--even more glad that he had somewhere to go tonight.  He needed to get out and get his mind off of the fact that Aubrey was gone and there was nothing he could do about it.  It was her choice who she wanted to be with and, since he hadn't heard anything from her since they'd hung up Wednesday night it was obvious what her choice had been.  While a small part of him knew it was probably for the best--after all the life he led wasn't all it was cracked up to be-a bigger part of him was chomping at the bit.  She now had the singular honor of being the only thing that his money and celebrity clout couldn't get him and he loved a challenge. 

~~~~~~

"...then there was the time I took JC's cell phone and set the alarm to go off every twenty minutes starting at two am." Justin laughed as he took a drag on the joint Ryan had passed him.  "That was some funny stuff!" He said loudly, attempting to talk over the noise and music of the club.

"My turn." The blonde sitting beside him said as she snuggled up to him.  Justin turned to look at her, smiling as he put his arm around her shoulders and passed her the joint.  She took a drag then blew it out, giggling as she moved closer to him--practically sitting in his lap.  He couldn't remember her name at the moment, but he didn't care.  She was hot and right now that was all that mattered.

Justin took the joint from her, bringing it to his lips once again.  He blew out the smoke, closing his eyes as the effects of the drug worked to clear his head of all the troubling thoughts he'd been dealing with the last week.  He'd gone through his phase of being the caught up in the fame that had come to him so early but--realizing that wasting his time being stoned wasn't doing anything to help him to reach his goals--he'd quit.  But sitting here, taking another deep drag, he couldn't remember why he'd given it up.  He felt calm for the first time in a while.  Everything was a bit fuzzy and out of focus and a lot funnier than it should be.  He hadn't laughed like this in a while and it felt good.  He couldn't remember anymore why it was he'd been so agitated earlier today.

"Hey, J!" Trace said from his chair across from him in the VIP section they were sitting in.  "Tell ‘em about that one time you and me went snowboarding in Park City and that girl tried to run you down."

"Oh yeah!" Justin started laughing again.  "So listen to this." He said sitting forward.

"Justy!" The girl beside him whined, sitting up as well as she put her arms around him and pressed her lips to his neck.  "I don't want to hear any more stories." She pouted.

"What do you want to hear then?" He asked, turning to look at her. 

"You and me." She whispered as she took his earlobe into her mouth.  "Back at my place." She pulled back and smiled up at him through her lashes.  He lifted a brow--surprisingly interested.  It had been way too long since he'd been with someone and he was just frustrated and horny enough to want to take her up on the offer.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Yeah." She replied with a smile.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she slowly moved her hand down his chest.  Justin closed his eyes and leaned back--the people around them disappearing--as she became a little bolder with her actions.

"I don't know." He drawled, opening his eyes and turning his head to look at her.  "We just met." He grinned.  She shrugged one slender shoulder and bent her head, pressing her lips up and down his neck.  He struggled to remain in control as she continued. "Okay." He finally said, pushing aside the sudden warning voice in his head.  "But not at your place." She perked up and eagerly followed as he stood up. 

"Later man!" Ryan winked knowingly at him.  Justin said his good-byes, the girl clinging possessively to him. When they left she started walking towards the front door.  But he tugged her back.

"This way." He said, jerking his thumb over his shoulder towards the back exit.  He may be high but he knew the media would slaughter him if they saw him leaving the club with this girl.  He looked at her-his eyes traveling over her body.  He'd never hear the end of this one if anyone found out. 

Best to keep this one to myself. He thought as he opened the back door and ushered her outside.  This was wrong, but he couldn't help it.  She was hot and wanted him so why not?  Her eager and obvious interest worked to sooth the sting of Aubrey's rejection.  He cringed as Aubrey's image was once again brought to his mind. 

"You okay?" His date for the night asked. 

"Yeah." He replied, once again pushing away the nagging guilt that filled him.  He leaned down and pressed his lips against hers.  "Let's get this party started."

Justin woke with a start-breathing heavily.  He closed his eyes and took a deep breath as he scrubbed his hands over his face.  "Thank God." He muttered.  "It was just a dream."

He had felt like such a hypocrite--going on and on to Annie at the fashion show about Aubrey and how much he liked her and then jumping into bed with the first quick lay that came his way...but it had only been a dream.  He breathed a sigh of relief--but too soon.  The bed shifted beside him and he jerked back in surprise, his eyes going wide as he turned his head to the side.

Justin jumped out of bed and stood looking at the blonde that had been all over him in his dream as she lay sleeping in the middle of the bed.  It hadn't been a dream!  "Damn it!" He exclaimed quietly, his heart beginning to beat erratically in his chest.  "Damn it!"

He tore his eyes away from the evidence of the drug induced decision he'd made last night and looked around the unfamiliar room.  Where the hell am I?  He thought.  This is great!  He thought sarcastically.  Just great.

He sat down heavily on the chair next to the window as everything came back to him--Ryan's text after the fashion show, meeting up with everyone at the club late last night, the drinking, the pot that had been passed around, and the girl.  His eyes slid over to the other occupant in the room, struggling to remember how they'd got here and what her name was.  Nikki.  It finally came to him and he closed his eyes, swallowing.  He felt sick.  He was disgusted at himself and what he'd done.  She didn't deserve this.  He thought, looking at the woman again.  No one did.

As she stirred again he stood.  Reaching down he retrieved his clothes from the hotel room floor and quickly put them back on.  Grabbing his cell phone, wallet and keys from the bedside table he quietly left the room--praying he'd had the sense enough to be somewhat discrete last night.  He'd never live it down if some rogue paparazzi was waiting outside for him.  He just wanted to forget the whole damn thing.  As he did a quick sweep of the parking lot with his trained eye, Justin breathed a quick sigh of relief--no cameras in sight.  So far so good.  He thought as he climbed into his truck.  There wouldn't be any photographic evidence.  Now if he could just erase the images from his mind...          

~~~~~

Aubrey put her hands back Sunday morning--tapping her fingers against the metal guard rail as she leaned back against it.  Looking down at her shoes she wondered if he would even show up.  After sending the text last night she'd kept a close eye on her phone, anxiously waiting for an answer-and he'd finally do so a few hours ago, agreeing to meet up here at this look-out.  She wanted to go somewhere private; somewhere without a million people around them; somewhere they could really talk. 

She heard the crunch of gravel as a car pulled into the parking area and tried to suppress the nervous butterflies in her stomach.  Slowly she lifted her head and straightened--watching as he got out of his car and approached her.  His eyes were covered by the black ball cap on his head and his expression was unreadable.  Aubrey prayed for the words to say to tell him what she'd been feeling and thinking this week.

"Hi." She said quietly, offering a tremulous smile as he came to stand before her.

"Hey." He replied, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

Aubrey cleared her throat and fought the desire to look away from him.  He needed to know she was serious and breaking eye contact--no matter badly she wanted too--would be a bad idea.

"I'm sorry." She finally said.  He remained quiet.  "I, uh..." she took a deep breath as she continued.  "I've been doing a lot of thinking this week--a lot of thinking." She nervously tucked her hair behind her ears.  "I know what I did wasn't really fair to you and I'm sorry."   She watched as his blue eyes remained cautious.  "I know you're probably still mad at me but I wanted you to know that if you're willing to give me another chance--"  He turned--letting out a sigh--and took a step away from her.  "Andrew, wait!" Aubrey said, putting her hand on his arm. 

"What about Justin?" Andrew asked bitterly as he came to stand next to her--looking out over the city. 

"That's...that's why I'm here." She replied.  "To tell you that...I'm not going to see him...again."  Andrew looked over at her in disbelief--one dark eyebrow rising.  "I'm cutting him out." She continued.  "It never would have worked anyway." She continued--wondering who she was trying to convince more, Andrew or herself.  "He and I are just...too different.  You were right." She told him.  "He's a celebrity and while he may be interested in me right now once he sees how plain and ordinary I am he'll move on to someone else.  It's better to cut him out now, before he can really hurt me."

"Okay, first thing," Andrew said, watching her--his eyes narrowing as he studied her face.  "You are not plain and ordinary and I wish you'd quit being so hard on yourself."  Aubrey looked down at her shoes.  "And second," he continued and she looked up.  "You say you're not going to see him again, but how do I know for sure?  You lied to me about going to Cabo with him." Andrew tilted his head as he folded his arms across his chest.  "How do I know you're not going to do something like that again?"

"I'm not going to see him again." Aubrey reiterated.  "I deleted his number out of my phone.  I--"

"That's not going to stop him from calling you." He interrupted hotly. 

"He called me on Wednesday and asked me to go somewhere with him yesterday." Aubrey said.  "And I told him no."

"Was that before or after you decided you could settle for being with me?" He countered.

"I'm not settling for you!" Aubrey replied in exasperation.  This wasn't going exactly the way she'd planned and she was beginning to feel desperate.  She'd pushed Justin away and it seemed no matter what she did now, she was going to end up pushing Andrew away as well.  "I've thought it through and this is the choice I've made."

"You had to think about it for a while." He remarked bitterly.  Aubrey looked at him imploringly but Andrew remained quiet. "I'm tired of waiting for you." He said finally with a sigh.  "Sometimes I wonder if I'm an idiot." He mumbled under his breath, rubbing his forehead with his hand than looked up at her.  "I've been waiting for you for the last five years, Aubrey!" He exclaimed, throwing up his hands in exasperation.  "I love you but I don't want you this way.  I don't like knowing you're only doing this because you're scared of Justin hurting you!"  He finished.  "I know I'm a guy and I know I probably don't show my feelings as much as you'd probably like, but I do have them.  I don't understand why you wanted me to drive up here.  So far all you've told me is why you don't want Justin." Andrew folded his arms across his chest.  "How about soothing my ego here a little bit and telling me why you suddenly decided you want to be with me?"

Aubrey looked down at her shoes, her cheeks warming in humiliation.  She didn't know how to adequately describe what she was thinking--what she was feeling.   "You've always been there for me." She said quietly, glancing up at him.  "I enjoy spending time with you and I feel like..." she paused.  "You know more about me than anyone else besides my family."

"So...you decided to choose me because I know your medical history?" He replied dryly.  "That's not much of a reason.  You gotta give me more than that."

Aubrey met his eyes, a sinking feeling settling over her as her desperation rose to a new level.  "I've made some mistakes in the past, but I want to forget about them and just move on."

"I don't know if I can forget about them." He replied.  Aubrey felt hurt, though she knew she deserved his scorn. 

"Give me another chance." She pled.  "Give me a chance to earn back your trust.  You can look at my phone." She said, pulling it from her pocket.  "He's not in there anymore." She held it out to him.  He didn't move.  "We can start over." She continued.  "We can get to know each other again without Jus...without anybody else getting in the way."

"I don't know if I can do this, Aubrey." He said with a resigned sigh.  "Maybe it's time for us to accept the truth that this," he gestured back and forth between them with his hand, "isn't going to work." He shook his head.  "I didn't want to see all the red flags."

"Andrew--" She reached out to him, desperate not to let him go.  If he walked away her worst fear would become reality. 

"No." He pulled back.  "Good-bye, Aubrey."

She watched as he turned and walked away, her breath coming in shallow gasps as he got into his truck and drove away--her mind unwilling to accept what had just happened.  She sat down on the guardrail she'd been leaning against earlier and looked down at the ground, trying to calm her breathing.  Passing out now wouldn't do her any good.  She finally stood a bit surprised her knees were holding her up.  With a trembling lip she walked to her car and got in.  With a sob she leaned her forehead against her steering wheel. 

Nobody wants me.

End Notes:
trust me...it gets better!  Just keep hanging in there with me...
Chapter 15 by azchickadee
Three weeks later

"Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears dating again?  The former pop Prince and Princess were recently seen entering and leaving a Los Angles restaurant together Sunday night.  Sources say..."

Aubrey angrily turned off her car radio Monday morning.  "I can't get away from him." She muttered under her breath.  No matter where she went or what she was doing, all she ever seemed to hear about or see was Justin and whatever actress or singer was his current flavor of the night.  In the past three weeks he'd been linked to Taylor Swift, Kate Hudson, Riahanna, and now it seemed he was getting back with his famous ex: Britney. 

Aubrey gripped the steering wheel tightly as she came to a red light.  She was angry--though she knew there was no logical reason for it.  She should feel relieved but she didn't.  Her fear of him one day hurting her was playing out right in front of her eyes.  He was hopping from starlet to starlet like they were going out of season.  He had been photographed at almost every party and event in the past month, and each time he had a different woman on his arm.  She should feel grateful she'd decided to cut him out of her life but she didn't.  If it hadn't been for him, she might still have had a chance with Andrew.  A niggling thought at the back of her mind whispered that it wasn't Justin's fault so much as her own that things hadn't worked with Andrew, but she refused to listen to it for long--instead, she wanted to blame Justin; Justin and all his superstar, sex appeal that had gotten her into trouble in the first place!

With a sigh she pulled into a parking spot and turned her car off.  As much as she wanted to stay angry, what she really felt was sorry for him.  She'd gotten to know him pretty well, and not just the image he portrayed to the media.  She'd gotten to know the real Justin--the one that she was sure not very many people got a chance to know because of the barriers he was forced to keep up professionally.  The sparkle was missing from his eyes.  She could see it even from the images on her television and the pictures printed in the magazines. 

Just last night she and Grams had been watching television together and one of the entertainment news shows had come on.  Who was the star of the hour?  Justin Timberlake.  Against her better judgment she had sat, her eyes hungrily taking in the sight of him.  He was smiling, but it wasn't a real smile.  She'd seen him when he was really happy--his whole face lit up and it was hard not to smile along with him, even if you didn't know what it was he was so amused at--and she wondered why he was putting on such an elaborate act for everyone.

"Isn't that the boy who came over and worked on the garden with you?" Grams had asked, looking over at her in question.

"No." Aubrey shook her head, her eyes unable to leave the television screen.  "He just looks like him."  The more she looked at him, the sadder she felt.  He looked tired--like he hadn't slept for days, the slight bags under his eyes and the thicker scruff on his face only added to his slightly haggard expression. 

This Justin was not the same Justin who had spent an entire Saturday morning helping her plant a garden.  He wasn't the same Justin who had taken her paint balling, or plotted with her on how to get back at Rachel.  He wasn't the same Justin who had made her laugh almost constantly with his quick humor or made her stomach quiver with the way he looked at her.  He wasn't the same Justin who had taken her to Cabo and he definitely wasn't the same Justin who had tried to kiss her.  Something had happened to him in the month since they'd last seen each other and she suddenly wanted to call him up and ask him if he was okay.  Her heart twisted painfully in her chest the more she thought about him.  She wanted to pick up the phone and hear his voice on the other end so badly it hurt, but she couldn't.  She'd done what she'd told Andrew she had: she'd deleted Justin's number from her phone and she hadn't memorized it.  She had no way of getting in contact with him, except through Rachel--who was currently in Europe with JC, but even if she wasn't Aubrey knew she wouldn't ask Rachel for Justin's number.  She didn't want to deal with all the questions about why she needed it and how come she didn't already have it and...

A sudden honk of a car horn startled her, bringing her back to reality and the fact that she was still sitting in her car in the parking lot outside her office building.  Aubrey grabbed her purse as she quickly got out of her car and walked towards the front door of the building.  She had to quit dwelling on the past.  Justin was gone.  She'd made her choice and--even though that choice had come back to bite her in the butt--she knew she had to live with it.  Someday she'd be able to look back on everything that had happened the last six months and not feel the heartache and nausea that came when she wondered if she'd thrown away her one chance at love.

Someday.  She thought.  But not today.

~~~~~~

"Hey, girly!" Rachel exclaimed as she walked up to the outside table Aubrey was sitting at Tuesday afternoon. 

"Hi!" Aubrey replied excitedly as she stood and gave Rachel a hug.  Rachel had called her yesterday and asked if she wanted to go to lunch the next day and Aubrey had jumped at the idea-agreeing to meet her at this particular café.  The girls hadn't had a chance to see each other in almost two weeks and Aubrey hadn't realized just how lonely she'd been until she'd heard Rachel's voice on the phone.  "How are you?" She asked, as they pulled apart and Rachel sat down across from her.

"Fantastic." Rachel replied with a smile, putting her sunglasses atop her head and opening her menu.

"How was Europe?" Aubrey asked wanting to know all about her time overseas, touring with JC.

"I was hoping you'd ask!" Rachel said with an excited grin and an obvious sparkle in her eyes.  She held out her left hand as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and Aubrey let out an excited gasp as she saw the diamond engagement ring on Rachel's finger. 

"He proposed?!" She asked, taking Rachel's hand in hers as she examined the ring. 

"Yep!" Rachel replied.

"Oh!  It's gorgeous." Aubrey said.  "When did he ask you?"

"Last weekend when we were in Paris." Rachel said looking down at the ring herself, a dreamy expression on her face as she let out a little sigh. "When we were there last Christmas he promised the next time we went to Paris he'd propose for real.  Although," she said looking up at Aubrey.  "I didn't think he'd actually do it."

"How did he ask you?" Aubrey asked, ridiculously happy for Rachel.  There was no denying she and JC were meant for each other--all you had to do was be in the same room with the two of them and you couldn't help but feel the love between them.  It was a fairytale romance if ever there was one that was for sure, but it was also real.  They'd been through a lot together and had overcome things that would tear other couples apart.  This was one Hollywood romance that was going to last. 

"We were walking along the Seine, he pulled out the ring and--after telling me about how I'd turned his life upside down and he couldn't live without me--he asked me."

"That's awesome!" Aubrey said with a big smile.  "Congratulations."

"Thanks." Rachel smiled as she pulled back.  "But enough about me." She waved her hand through the air.  "How have things been around the office?" She asked.

"Oh, pretty much the same." Aubrey replied as she looked down at her menu, trying to decide between the Caesar Salad or the Turkey Avocado Club Sandwich.  "Although, you've been the hot topic around the place." She said casually.  Rachel chuckled.  "Rob was fired last week, in case you didn't know." She said.

"It's about time." Rachel said with disgust.  "Have they gotten someone yet to take his place?"

"Matt came back from New York."

"He's staying?" Rachel asked in surprise.

"You knew Matt was here?" Aubrey questioned.

"Yeah, but I didn't know for how long." Rachel replied. 

"I bet he'd give you your job back." Aubrey offered.  Since Rachel had filed her sexual harassment suit against the former Acting Vice President of Adams & Richards, quit suddenly the same day and then decided to leave the country--chasing after her pop star boyfriend--Aubrey had missed talking to and seeing her everyday.  Things just weren't the same anymore without Rachel's dramatic exaggerations that always made her laugh.

"He actually tried calling me last week about that, but Jace and I were in Germany and my phone wasn't working.  The voicemail just came through last night."

"And?" Aubrey asked.

Rachel shook her head.  "I think I'm going to take a break for awhile."

"This doesn't have anything to do with the fact that your fiancée is a former teen idol of yours who is currently touring with his new album and--aside from the face that you're ridiculously and totally in love with him--you're also his not so secret biggest fan?" Aubrey teased.

"Mmmm...possibly." Rachel replied with a smile.  Both girls laughed.  They finally ordered their food and spent the rest of the time Aubrey had for her lunch break talking and laughing.  As they got up to leave and were walking out to the parking lot Rachel asked, "What are you doing this weekend?"

"Nothing, I don't think." Aubrey replied.  "Why?"

"Good.  We're having an engagement party slash barbeque on Saturday for the Fourth."

"Sounds fun." Aubrey said.  "What time?"

"I don't know yet." Rachel said.  "I just barely talked Jace into it last night." She grinned mischievously.  Aubrey chuckled as she shook her head though Rachel's answer didn't really surprise her-she could talk that man into anything!   "I'll give you a call tonight."

"Okay." Aubrey said with a smile.  "Wait!" She said as a thought came to her.  Her heart began beating nervously in her chest and she suddenly felt a little sea-sick.  Rachel turned to look at her.  "Is Justin going to be there?"

"I don't know, why?" Rachel asked.

Aubrey swallowed.  "I'll only come if Justin isn't there."

Rachel looked at her in surprise, her brows furrowed in confusion.  "I...can't promise that he won't be there." She said.  "He and Jace are friends..." she trailed off at the look on Aubrey's face.  "But I think I heard JC say something about Justin being out of town until next week." She rushed to assure her.  "So he probably won't be there."  The girls stopped beside Aubrey's SUV.  "Please come?" Rachel asked, poking her bottom lip out. 

"This isn't going to turn out like my birthday is it?" She asked folding her arms across her chest and looking at Rachel, one eye brow raised.

"No." Rachel shook her head.  "I've learned my lesson." She drew a cross over her heart with her finger.  "Cross my heart, I promise never to interfere in your life again." Aubrey chuckled and Rachel grinned.  "My best friend Megan and her husband are coming with their baby, and Jace's parents and brother and sister will be there.  I don't know who else is invited yet, but there will be other people there I'm sure."  She looked at Aubrey imploringly.  "Will you come?" She asked.

Aubrey thought about it for a moment then sighed as she dropped her arms to the side.  "Fine." She relented at last.

"Yea!" Rachel exclaimed excitedly.

"But I'm leaving the moment he shows up." Aubrey pointed her finger at Rachel in warning.

"Okay." Rachel nodded.  She gave Aubrey a hug.

"What do you want me to bring?" Aubrey asked with a chuckle.

"I'll call you later with the details." Rachel replied as she turned to leave.

"Alright, bye." Aubrey waved then got into her car, her stomach doing a nervous flip.  Although she'd warned Rachel she didn't want to be there if Justin was invited--and that she'd leave the moment he showed up--there was a part of her that hoped he'd be there and she wondered what she would do when she saw him.

~~~~~~

"Where do you want these?" Aubrey asked Rachel as she began picking up the chocolate chip cookies that had been cooling on the counter and arranged them on a plate.

"Uh..." Rachel poked her head around the open refrigerator door.  She took a step backwards, several bowls stacked on top of one another in her hands.  "Can put them out by the drinks, maybe?" She said placing the bowls on the counter and opening them.  Aubrey watched as she dumped the ingredients from the smaller bowls into the larger one and began mixing everything together. 

"Dad needs a match.  Do we have any?" JC asked suddenly coming into the kitchen and rummaging through all the drawers.

"In the cupboard above the fridge." Rachel answered.  "Here, taste this." She said, holding out a spoonful of the chicken salad she'd just finished.  JC leaned over and took the bite she was offering.  "Does it need more salt?" She asked him.

"No." He shook his head.  "It's perfect." He placed a quick kiss to her lips then turned.  Grabbing the matches he left. 

"Alright, Scott's down for at least an hour." Megan said coming into the kitchen.  "Put me to work." She smiled.

"Um," Rachel put her hands on her hips.  "You can take this out." She said, handing her friend the bowl of chicken salad.  "Aubrey's finishing up with the cookies and I'm going to bring out the chips and then I think everything's done." She said.  "Thanks for all your help, you guys." She said. 

"You're welcome." Aubrey smiled as she picked up the plate of cookies and began walking towards the back door. 

"Oh! Aubrey?" Rachel called out before she got too far.

"Yeah?" Aubrey asked as she turned around.

"Can you ask JC to come back in here for a second?"

"Sure." Aubrey replied turning back around.  She let out a startled gasp when the plate of cookies ended up smashed all over the front of her shirt as the person she hadn't known was behind her ran into her--a pair of hands grabbing her arms reflexively to steady her.

"I'm sorry." He said and her heart jumped into her throat as she instantly recognized his voice.  Her eyes shot up to his and her breath caught in her throat as she was momentarily taken back by their brilliance.  Had his eyes always been that blue? 

"Justin." She breathed, her heart beating rapidly in her chest.

"We've got to quit running into each other like this." He teased quietly, the corners of his mouth lifting slightly.  "You're not going to have anything left to wear pretty soon." His eyes lowered to the plate she was still holding against herself.

Aubrey tore her eyes away from him and finally looked down as well--her cheeks warming at the chocolate stains now adorning the front of her white T-shirt.  "Serves me right for wearing white to a barbeque, right?" She asked, stepping away from him.  His hands finally released her and she glanced up at him again, cursing the way he was able to get her blood pumping so easily.  He'd hardly said anything to her and she was melting into a puddle right in front of him!  Get a hold of yourself.  She reprimanded herself.  It's just Justin!  And you're mad at him, remember? 

"I thought you were out of town." Rachel said, coming up and shoving the bags of chips she'd been holding at Justin.

"I was." He replied taking them.  "But my trip got cut short."

"Hmmm." Rachel hummed.  "Take those out for me, will you?" She asked.  "While I help Aubrey find something else to wear."  Rachel grabbed onto Aubrey's arm tightly, as if she were afraid Aubrey was going to run away.  Aubrey looked over at her, wanting to let her know she was okay.  Seeing Justin again hadn't been as bad as she'd been imagining.  "Megan, will you show him where to put the chips?" Rachel asked.

"Sure." Megan smiled.  Rachel began leading Aubrey through the family room and she turned--fully aware that Justin was still watching her as she walked away. 

~~~~~~  

Justin stood, unable to take his eyes off of her as Aubrey walked away with Rachel.  He had forgotten how truly beautiful she was.  He was surrounded by beauty everyday in his line of work but it was an unrealistic kind of beauty--one only achieved by the magic of make-up artists and airbrushing.  Aubrey didn't need any of that to stand out.  With her amazing smile, incredible eyes and adorable freckles she was perfection in a dress.  Or a skirt in this instance. He mused. 

He watched as her hips moved back and forth in the simple black, tiered, calf-length skirt she was wearing and had to swallow the sudden excess moisture in his mouth.  He was such an idiot for letting her just walk away without so much as good-bye!  Why did he think he'd be able to forget about her by drowning himself in work and surrounding himself with people? 

"Follow me.  I'll show you where Rachel wants those." Megan said, breaking him from his thoughts. 

Justin looked over at her then back at Aubrey.  His eyes connected with hers as she turned to look at him before she and Rachel disappeared upstairs and he felt his heart skip a beat and hope flared briefly in his chest.  Maybe it wasn't a lost cause.  He hadn't seen anyone out in the back yard he didn't recognize, so maybe Andrew hadn't come with her today.  He felt a smile spread as he turned and finally followed Megan outside.  Maybe, if he played his cards right, he could convince Aubrey to change her mind about who it was she wanted to be with.

~~~~~

"I can't wear that!" Aubrey exclaimed as Rachel held up the black, knee-length, spaghetti strap dress.

"Why not?" Rachel questioned, looking at the dress.

"First of all," Aubrey began.  "There's no way it's going to fit me since you're basically a size zero and second, everyone else--including yourself--is wearing jeans!  I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb!"

"Okay, I am not a size zero." Rachel countered taking the dress off the hanger.  "And neither is this dress.  And secondly, you're not going to stick out because you're going to leave your hair down, you're going to still wear your flip flops and you're not going to be wearing any jewelry.  It's going to still be very casual.  You'll be fine.  Unless you want to go out wearing your chocolate stained shirt, this is your only option."  She looked around the large walk-in closet.  "We could try to find something of Jace's for you to wear, but he really is a size zero so I don't think that's going to work."  She laughed.  "Even I don't fit into his jeans." Rachel confessed.  Aubrey still looked unconvinced.  "You're wearing a skirt right now." Rachel pointed.  "What's the difference between that and this?" She asked pointing at the dress in her hands.

"Well..." Aubrey hesitated.  "I just...I don't think it's a good idea." She finished lamely.

"Do you want to get his attention or not?" Rachel asked, cocking her hip to the side and looking at her pointedly.

"Yes.  No!" Aubrey replied quickly.  "Who?" She asked. Rachel raised one brow as the color flared on Aubrey's cheeks.

"Don't play innocent with me right now." Rachel said.  "I saw what just happened downstairs between you two.  And I know," she put up a hand to stop Aubrey as she opened her mouth to protest.  "You've decided you don't want to be with him--for some insane reason that I'm still trying to figure out--but come on." She held the dress up in front of her and waved it back and forth.  "You can't tell me you don't want to put this on, walk out there like you don't give a damn about anyone or anything and watch him drool." Rachel finished, feeling devilish.  "Teasing boys is one of the prerogatives of being a woman and it's high time you joined the club."

"I don't know..." Aubrey drawled.  Rachel could see the wavering in her friend's eyes and knew she was winning the argument. 

"Put it on." She said holding it out to her. 

"It's not going to fit." Aubrey replied.

"You won't know unless you try." Rachel countered.  "But I'm pretty sure it will.  You're smaller up top than I am." 

"Fine." Aubrey said in a huff, finally taking off her shirt and reaching for the dress.  "But if it doesn't fit..." she stopped as she pulled the dress over her head and looked up at Rachel.

Rachel grinned triumphantly.  "Perfect." She proclaimed.  He's not going to know what hit him.

~~~~~~

"I talked to Joey and Chris when I was in Orlando last week." Justin told JC as he lifted the bottle in his hands to his lips, taking a swig of his beer.  "They said everything's all set for them to come out here the end...of the month..." Justin trailed off as Aubrey stepped outside, another plate of cookies in her hands.  His jaw dropped as his eyes raked over her.  What was it about this woman in a black dress that made his mouth go dry and his libido run wild?  JC chuckled quietly beside him.  "What?" Justin asked, turning to look at the guy.

"Nothing." JC shrugged as he lifted the glass in his hand, taking a sip of his ice tea.   Justin looked at him in question.  "Better make your move quick though, before somebody else moves in."  He pointed and Justin turned his attention back to Aubrey, his eyes narrowing as he watched JC's younger brother, Tyler approach Aubrey.  

"I'll be back." Justin said as he began moving towards the pair.  Tyler was a great guy, but having him here today--making a move on Aubrey--was going to interfere with his plan to get her back.  He stopped a few feet from Tyler and Aubrey, folding his arms over his chest as he watched them.  Aubrey laughed at whatever Tyler had just said-putting her hand on his arm.  She tossed her hair over her shoulder and Justin narrowed his eyes. What was she playing at? 

Aubrey's eyes caught his and he straightened, a smile coming to his lips.  "Hey." Justin said.

"Oh.  Hi, Justin." Aubrey said then turned and linked her arm with Tyler's.  "Anyway, what were saying, Tyler?" She asked, turning her attention back to the other guy as she walked away with him. 

Justin stood his arms dropping to his sides with his jaw open once again but for an entirely different reason this time.  She'd just blown him off!  What the hell?!  He thought.  What in the world gave her the right to blow him off?  He turned to look at Aubrey as she stood next to Tyler and his parents.  She looked over at him, tucking some hair behind her ear before going back to the conversation she was involved in.  Okay, Aubrey Janae.  He said, taking a deep breath--an idea forming.  You want to play dirty?  I can play dirty. 

~~~~~~

Aubrey looked around the yard as she grabbed another chocolate chip cookie, a nervous flutter in her stomach.  Since she'd walked away from Justin with Tyler, she'd managed to keep an eye on him.  She wasn't sure what he was planning to do, but that calculating look in his blue eyes every time she looked at him made her nervous.  She shouldn't have snubbed him like that.  It had been so...juvenile.  It was pathetic really, the way she was acting.  She should have just left after she'd ruined her white shirt with the first plate of cookies. 

"Where's Andrew?"

Aubrey gasped and turned around quickly, holding a hand against her chest as she leaned back against the table.  "Justin!" She exclaimed, a shiver skirting down her spine as he looked down at her.  She was suddenly finding it hard to breathe as he cocked his head to the side--his blue eyes slowly running down and back up her body.  "What are you..." she cleared her throat.  "How are you?" She asked casually, attempting to regain some of her earlier composure.  Rachel had made her put on this stupid dress, telling her that if she walked out here with her shoulders back and a confident air around her she'd have Justin eating out of her hand in no time--especially if she ignored him--but one look from him and she was putty in his hands.  She mentally slapped herself.  She was being a ridiculous girl, letting him affect her so easily.  She cursed every single female hormone in her body that was currently reacting to the man standing in front of her.

"I asked you first." He said, his eyes holding hers intently.

Aubrey straightened, squaring her shoulders as she turned and moved down the table.  She picked up a plate, absent mindedly putting different things on it though she had no intention in eating any of it.  "He's uh..." she fought to control another shiver as Justin moved as well.  She could feel him behind her and she wished he would just leave her alone.  She didn't want to be feeling this way about him right now!  "We broke up, okay?" She asked finally, looking at him over her shoulder.  "What about you and Britney?" She asked, unable to hide the contempt in her voice as she said the girl's name.  "How's that going for you?" She asked, dipping a carrot into the ranch she'd put on her plate.

"That was nothing." He told her.  "She wants me to produce a song for her, that's all." Aubrey looked at him in disbelief as she put the carrot in her mouth, snapping it loudly for effect.  "Why did you and Andrew break up?" Justin asked stepping towards her. 

Aubrey backed up slightly--coming in contact with the table once again.  Confidence...composure.  She coached herself silently as she turned slightly, putting her plate down on the table.  Don't let him know he's getting to you... 

"Because of you." She replied evenly, folding her arms across her chest.

"What did I do?" He asked.

"Nothing." Aubrey replied taking a deep breath to try and calm her rapidly beating heart.  Unfortunately, all it did was invade her senses with the scent of his musky and--she sighed--incredibly sexy and intoxicating cologne.  Stop it!  She scolded herself as she felt her defenses against him slipping. "Nothing, except be yourself." She finished.

"What's wrong with being myself?" He asked with a cocky grin.  Aubrey was tempted to smack him for that comment, but she couldn't.  The sparkle was back in his eyes and against her will it made her heart skip.  "No answer?" He asked.  Aubrey felt her lips twitch upwards but quickly pulled them back down.  "I saw that." He remarked quietly with a wink. 

"What do you want, Justin?" She asked with a sigh. 

  

"World peace?" He answered.  Aubrey rolled her eyes at him.  "What was that?" He asked.

"What?" Aubrey questioned.

"You rolled your eyes at me!" He exclaimed as he pulled back, folding his arms across his chest. 

"So?" She asked with a shrug of one shoulder.  "What are you going to do about it?"  She stood, looking at him for a second longer then--when it seemed he wasn't going to do anything about it--she turned intent on walking away. 

Justin put his hand on her arm and turned her back around to face him.  "I think we need to have a serious discussion." He said simply, and before she could protest he pulled her towards the patio and into the house.

Chapter 16 -- part 1 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

I think this is the one you've all be waiting for...

"What is going on with you?" Justin asked as he and Aubrey stepped into Rachel and JC's family room.  

"What do you mean?" Aubrey replied, taking a step away from him as he released the hold he had on her arm.

"Why were you ignoring me earlier?" He asked, folding his arms across his chest.  "Any why are you looking at me now like I just killed your cat?" He finished in exasperation.

"I don't have a cat." She replied flippantly.

Justin looked at Aubrey in confusion.  Her behavior was really throwing him for a loop here.  He was at a loss as to what he'd done to make her look at him with such disdain.  When they'd last spoken, almost a month ago, she'd requested he give her some time and space--which he'd done.  He knew she was confused and felt guilty about what had happened between them in Cabo, but she'd told him--not five minutes ago--that she and Andrew had broken up!  So why all the anger directed towards him?

When JC had called him and told him about the get together he and Rachel were having today, Justin had purposefully cut his trip to Florida short--hoping Aubrey would also be invited and he'd be able to see her.  He knew it would only serve to further torture himself--knowing full well she was with someone else and he couldn't have her--but he didn't care.  He had to see her again.  He had worked hard to surround himself with his work and other interests in an effort to try and forget about how much it hurt that she'd written him off and wasn't speaking to him anymore.

His heart had leapt when she'd told him she'd broken up with Andrew.  However, the contempt in her beautiful eyes and her admission that her relationship with Andrew had ended because of himself had him confused.  What had he done?  All he'd done--all he'd ever done--was respect her wishes.

"I told you." Aubrey said, breaking him from his thoughts.  "Andrew and I broke up because of you."

"Which I don't understand." Justin replied.  "Seeing as we haven't spoken or seen each other in a month--at your request.  How the hell did I," he put a hand on his chest.  "Cause your relationship," he pointed a finger at her.  "To end?"  Aubrey glared at him, her jaw clenched tightly.  "Why do you suddenly hate me?" He asked.  "What did I do?"

"You tried to kiss me." She reminded him.

"That's what this is about?!" He asked in shock.  Aubrey folded her arms across her chest.  Justin narrowed his eyes as he watched her closely, suspicion creeping into his thoughts.  "Are you upset because I tried?" He asked inquisitively, cocking his head to the side.  "Or that I didn't follow through with it?" The fire in her eyes blazed and he felt a smug sense of satisfaction at hitting the mark.  "Cuz if that's that case, sweetheart, we can finish what we started right here."  He offered.  She may be fighting it but the desire was evident in her eyes--she wanted him and the thought excited him.  Now, if he could only get her to admit it...

"You ruined everything." She accused.  "You and your..." she stopped, waving her hand through the air as she struggled for the right words to say. 

"Me and my, what?" He asked leaning towards her.

"You and your cocky attitude for one!" She shot back at him.  "If you hadn't been so...perfect and...charming and...just...just...you, I might have still had a chance with Andrew!"  Justin watched as Aubrey's eyes began to glisten--his arrogance melting away.  He didn't want to make her cry.  "I just..." Aubrey sighed in frustration as she swiped a hand across her cheek--angrily wiping away the lone tear that had escaped.  "Why did you have to be so perfect?" She finished quietly. 

"Aubrey, I--"

"I told him..." she cut him off.  "I told him I wouldn't see you again.  I told him I was cutting you out of my life--and I did!  I told him I knew that the idea of anything happening between you and I was ridiculous, but he walked away."  She looked at him accusingly.  "He walked away because of you.  If it hadn't of been for you everything wouldn't have gotten so messed up."

Justin took a tentative step towards her.  Messed up?  He wondered.  Or set right?  But he didn't dare ask the question out loud for fear of what she might say or do to him. 

"You didn't even want Andrew to begin with." Justin interjected, reminding her of the conversation they'd had following the first date she'd had with the guy.  Aubrey looked at him in stunned silence.  "If I'm not mistaken," he continued.  "I believe I remember you telling me that you agreed to get back into a relationship with the guy because you felt like you owed him."

"He was a good guy." Aubrey supplied.  "He was always respectful and kind to me.  He never treated me badly and I knew he would be able to protect and provide for me.  We could have been happy together." She continued and he wondered who she was trying to convince more, herself or him?

"Really?" Justin asked, lifting one eyebrow in surprise.

"Yes, really." Aubrey replied.  "Why are you acting so surprised about that?"

"Because I don't think you would have been happy." He told her. 

"Oh, and you're qualified to tell me what makes me happy, are you?" She asked taking a step towards him, the fire in her eyes captivating him.

"I believe so, yeah." He nodded. 

"Then tell me, Justin.  What makes me happy?  What do I want?" She folded her arms across her chest as she threw down the challenge--pursing her lips as she waited for his answer.

"You want someone who can give you the world but at the same time provide the security and stability you crave." He began.  "You want someone who will love you unconditionally; someone who will give you his heart completely and never ask for it back--no matter what.  You want someone who will embrace your dreams and encourage you to pursue them because he sees how wonderful and incredible you are.  He can see how much potential you have and he knows that you can do whatever it is you set your sights on.  You want someone whose only wish in life is to make you happy and who'll spend the rest of his life ensuring that you are; someone who isn't merely kind and respectful to you, but loves you so completely it makes you tremble each time he touches you and takes your breath away with every kiss.  You want someone who has memorized each and every one of your adorable freckles; a man who is blinded by your smile and immobilized every time you laugh." He stopped and she looked at him in shock, her arms dropping limply to her sides. 

~~~~~~

Aubrey stood, stunned into silence at Justin's declaration and the passion blazing in his blue eyes.  He had successfully pinpointed everything she wanted, and even things she hadn't known she wanted--except for one.  

"I also want something that's real." She replied quietly, hating the way her heart and body were reacting to having him stand so close to her.  She could feel his warmth and smell his intoxicating cologne.  Any longer and she was afraid of what she might do. 

"It can be real." He told her.  She shook her head.  "Do you want me to say I'm sorry?" He finally asked.  "Because I'm not.  I'm not sorry for anything we've done together." He told her honestly.  "Why don't you think it could be real?  Why is the idea of something happening between you and I ridiculous?" He asked.  Aubrey rolled her eyes and turned her head away from him though her heart was racing in her chest at the turn this conversation had taken.  "No." He said taking her chin in his fingers and turning her face back to look at him.  "I want to know why you said that.  Why is that thought so ridiculous to you?"

"Because you're Justin Timberlake!" She exclaimed in exasperation as if he didn't know who he was.

"And?" He questioned, obviously failing to see the relevance of her statement.  "Forgive me, but I was under the impression that my celebrity status didn't really mean a whole hell of a lot to you.  Are you, or are you not, the same girl who had no idea who I was the first time we met?"

"Yeah well, things change." She grumbled as she folded her arms across her chest again and looked away from him.

"Why?" He asked.  Against her better judgment she looked back over at him.  "What changed?"

"You--suddenly becoming the ‘Playboy of Hollywood' for one." She told him.  "How many women have you dated in the last month?" She asked.  "Every time I turn on the television or radio you're at some event or party with a different girl on your arm."

"Am I not allowed to date?" He asked, looking at her in confusion.  "You told me you needed time which I gave you." He continued.  "You didn't call.  I figured you'd made your choice and I wasn't it.  So I tried to move on with my life.  Forgive me.  I didn't know you wanted me to sit home and wait for you."

Aubrey let out a groan of frustration.  "I don't want you to sit home and wait for me!" She exclaimed.

"Then tell me, Aubrey." He replied, the frustration more than evident in his voice.  "What do you want?  I feel like we're just going around in circles here.  I'm still no closer to figuring out what's going on than when we started!"

"I want..." she sighed as she looked down at her feet.  She closed her eyes.  "I want what every girl wants.  I want to know that I'm the only one someone is thinking about.  I just want to be loved and to know that no matter what I'll always be number one on the priority list."  She opened her eyes and looked up at him.  "You can't promise me that."  

"How do you know?" He asked.  "You haven't given me a chance one way or the other."

Aubrey looked away from him, her eyes landing on a magazine sitting on the coffee table.  She took a step and bent down picking it up.  "I don't want to live my life constantly surrounded by rumors!" She said holding the magazine up for him as she pointed at it, which conveniently had a picture of him and some model on the cover. 

"Aubrey..." He sighed.

"I know that being who you are means you're going to come in contact with beautiful women everyday.  I know there are pressures all around you that you're tempted to give in too.  I also know that it's the media's job to take pictures so they can sell their magazines.  I realize all of this, but, Justin..." She looked at him, shaking her head.  "I don't know if I can do it.  I'm not the Hollywood type and I don't want to have to constantly be wondering."

"Wondering about what?" He asked in desperation.

"About who you're going to leave me for." She replied, her bottom lip trembling slightly. 

"Who I'm going to..." Justin looked at her as if she had slapped him for a moment then shook his head.  "I knew it." He said, a small smile forming on his lips.  Aubrey looked at him in question--wondering why he was smiling.  What exactly was funny about what she'd just said?  She was on the verge of tears here, confessing her fears, and he was smiling!  "You do have commitment issues!" Justin continued.  "I was joking around with you about your not getting a tattoo because of that, but you really do have a hang up with that, don't you?"

"I do not!" She exclaimed, putting her hands on her hips.

"Oh yeah?" He asked, putting his hands on his hips as well as he stood looking at her.  "Prove it." He challenged.

"Okay.  How?" She countered, her heart beating frantically in her chest.

"Give me a chance." He replied.

Aubrey rolled her eyes though her heart gave a skip.  "I'm not going to be with you just to prove a point, Justin." She told him.

Justin lowered his arms and took the final step towards her.  "Then be with me because I like you...and you like me." He said quietly.  

Aubrey felt her eyes widen and she nervously licked her lips as Justin's eyes held hers intently.  She felt as if he were searching her soul and she suddenly found it hard to breathe.  How in the world had she gotten herself into this situation?  How had they gone from her being angry at him for ruining her relationship with Andrew to Justin trying to convince her to give him a chance?  Aubrey closed her eyes as he brought his hands up--his finger tips softly brushing across her skin--and gently cupped her face.  Goose bumps broke over every inch of her body and she silently cursed him for his ability to completely disarm her with just a touch.

"Open your eyes, Aubrey Janae." He commanded quietly and she had no choice but to obey--her heart leaping at the way he said her name.  Her lips parted a little and the corners of his mouth turned up ever so slightly as he leaned towards her.

Aubrey closed her eyes again--her breath coming in shallow gasps.  As he brought his mouth to hers--his lips barely touching her own--her senses were completely overwhelmed by him.  Her lips tingled in anticipation and her hands began trembling but he seemed content to just stand there rather than kiss her and she didn't understand what was going on.  She opened her eyes again to look at him, prepared to demand to know what he was doing when he finally took full possession of her mouth--making all rational thought leave her head.

Her heart felt as if it were going to beat out of her chest and she thrilled when Justin put one arm around her--pulling her against his body firmly.  Her hands found a home at his waist resting above his slim hips as he used his other hand to tilt her head to the side and deepened the kiss between them.  His mouth moved slowly and deliberately against hers, kissing her with a depth and passion that threatened to be the end of her.  His hands moved upwards--a soft moan escaping her as his fingertips massaged her scalp when they dug in to her hair.

~~~~~~

Justin pulled back at Aubrey's moan, his fingers untangling themselves from her hair--his hands coming down to once more frame her face.  He watched as she slowly opened her eyes, her lips parting with a sigh, trying to gauge her reaction to what had just happened between them.

"Do you feel that?" He breathed--his heart about ready to beat out of his chest.  He'd never been this affected by a single kiss before.  He felt like a thousand volts of electricity had just gone through his system.  She nodded silently, her eyes holding him captive.  How was it possible that it had taken him this long to recognize that look in her eyes for what it was?  Everything he'd been looking for had been right in front of him this whole time.  He was such a fool!  He'd almost let the one thing he'd spent his entire life searching for get away without even realizing it.

"Give me a chance, Aubrey." He pled quietly.  "I'll make you happy, I swear."  He vowed.  Justin brushed his thumbs across her cheeks as he leaned forward to rest his forehead against hers.  "You'll never have a chance to even think about questioning my loyalty."  Aubrey closed her eyes and he followed suit, their breath mingling.  She wrapped her arms around his neck, one hand resting at the back of his head, and he couldn't help the smile that came as he felt her lean into him.  His arms dropped to wind around her waist.  Pulling her securely against him he captured her lips once again--reveling in the delicious taste and feel of them that was uniquely hers.

~~~~~~

"...so we're at dinner that night and this guy comes up to us and is totally hitting on him in French, but JC had no idea what the guy was saying!" Rachel said with a laugh as she and Megan walked up onto the patio. 

Megan shifted baby Scott in her arms and chuckled.  "Did you know what he was saying?" She asked as the girls walked towards the back door of the house. 

"Yes!" Rachel exclaimed, laughing even more.  "Jace just sat there, pretending like he knew what was going on and I was dying--trying so hard not to laugh.  He thanked the guy and shook his hand and the guy looked like he'd just won the lottery!  Then Jace looked at me and said, ‘what did he just say?'  I just told him, ‘you don't want to know.'"

"What did he say?" Megan asked as they walked into the house. 

"That he was a huge fan of his ass!" Rachel replied.

Megan busted out laughing.  "He doesn't even have one!" She exclaimed.

"I know!" Rachel laughed.  "That's what made it so funny!  He--" 

Both girls pulled up short--their laughter dying abruptly--as Justin and Aubrey jumped apart almost guiltily.  The sudden and awkward tension in the room was so thick you could cut it with a knife as Rachel lifted her brows in surprise, her eyes taking in the intimate scene she and Megan had interrupted--a scene she never thought she'd see.  As much as she had pushed for Justin and Aubrey to be together, a part of her hadn't really thought it would actually happen!  They were both too stubborn to realize they were perfect for each other. 

Justin turned to look at her, leveling her with a death glare that--had she not known him as well as she did--would have caused her some real fear and anxiety.  Aubrey's cheeks were blazing red and Rachel watched as the girl quickly turned and snuck away quietly while Justin was busy silently threatening Rachel with his icy blue stare.

"Um..." Rachel cleared her throat.  "Sorry."  She apologized, putting her arms out and shrugging her shoulders.  "I didn't know you guys were...in here..."   

~~~~~~     

Justin glared at Rachel, his frustration reaching epic proportions.  He'd finally gotten to kiss Aubrey and who should walk in and interrupt them but the one person who had been trying to get them together from the beginning!  If she wasn't his best friend's fiancée, he'd be tempted to...

His head turned quickly as he heard the front door open and close.  "Damn it!" He exclaimed.  Aubrey had left!  Rachel had scared her off!  He groaned in frustration and scrubbed his hands over his face.   

"What are you waiting for?" Rachel asked.  He looked over at her.  "Go after her!" She pointed in the direction Aubrey had left, looking at him like he was an idiot for just standing there.

Justin clenched his jaw as he lifted a hand.  "This is all your fault." He accused, pointing a finger at her then turned and ran towards the front door, completely missing the satisfied smirk on Rachel's face as she folded her arms across her chest and cocked one hip out to the side.

~~~~~~

Aubrey concentrated on breathing deeply as she walked quickly towards her car.  She had to get away from Justin.  Her head was spinning and she didn't know what to think or what to do.  She wanted to prove she didn't have the commitment issues he thought she did, and she wanted to believe what he'd said about never giving her a chance to question him but she didn't know if she could take that leap of faith.  She didn't know if she had the courage to trust him with her heart. 

Apparently I do have commitment issues.  She thought wryly. 

She reached out to open her car door as a hand came and planted itself in front of her--making it so she couldn't get into the vehicle.  She didn't have to look at the person who belonged to that hand--she knew full well who it was.  She could feel him behind her and her breath caught in her throat. 

"Why are you running away?" He asked his voice low as he spoke right behind her ear.  She shivered and closed her eyes as goose bumps once again enveloped her.  Aubrey turned slowly and pressed back against her car as Justin leaned over her, planting his other hand on the other side of her--blocking her escape.  She was painfully aware of how close he was and the quick rise and fall of her chest as she struggled for breath.  All she wanted to do was throw her arms around him and feel his lips against hers again but she held back.  She didn't want him to know how desperate she was for his affection. 

"You didn't give me an answer." He said, lowering his head as he leaned towards her further--closing the space between them. 

Aubrey looked up at him, and swallowed hard.  "An answer?" She asked.  "I don't remember you asking me a specific question."

He narrowed his eyes at her.  "Are you going to give me a chance, Aubrey Janae?" He asked. 

"Why do you always use my middle name?" She asked her heart skipping as it always had when he did so.

"Because I think it's beautiful, just like you." He replied.  "And I like the way you look at me when I say it." He told her, his head lowering even more as he brought his lips next to hers--kissing her softly.  "What do you say?" He asked, his warm, sweet breath hitting her lips and making a delicious tingle skirt down her spine. 

"Yes." She replied with a sigh of relief as she finally gave in to what she had wanted all along.  Justin smiled as he pressed his lips against hers firmly, lowering his hands as he wrapped his arms around her waist--pulling her against him.  Aubrey wound her arms around his neck as she kissed him back with all the desire and passion for him that had been eating away at her since they'd first met.  She loved the way it felt to have his incredible arms wrapped around her and she melted against him as his lips moved powerfully against her own.  Her dreams hadn't even come close to what his kiss was really like and she knew she was lost.  She'd never be able to settle for anyone else's kiss again.

She was his.

End Notes:

Well...there ya go!  Was it as good as you were hoping?  I know I've been building this up for a while, I hope it lived up to the expectations.  :)

Chapter 16 -- part 2 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
just killing time until Jonas Brother's tickets go on sale...
"Relax." Justin chuckled quietly as he moved behind Aubrey Saturday afternoon.  "Nobody's watching.  I'm going to show you what to do." He took a deep, steadying breath.  "Close your eyes."

Aubrey did as Justin requested, wondering why she'd agreed to do this.  Why had she told him she was comfortable with this whole thing?  She opened her eyes again, watching as Justin's hands covered her own--guiding them where he wanted them.  "I feel kind of silly doing this." She admitted looking over her shoulder at him.

"Everyone does their first time." He told her with a wink.  "You're doing great."  Aubrey lifted a brow as she looked at him in disbelief.  "What?" He asked, stepping away from her as he looked at her.

"We've got to work on this bad habit you have of lying." She replied dryly.  He laughed as he moved back behind her.

Justin put his arms around her as his hands covered hers again.  Aubrey knew she should be paying attention to what he was showing her but all she could concentrate on was the feel of him completely surrounding her--wrapping her in the protection of his embrace.  There was nothing better than the feeling that came when he put his arms around her and held her close.  She sighed and smiled to herself, wondering what he would do if she were to just turn around and kiss him right now. 

It had been two weeks since the barbeque at Rachel and JC's house and in that time they had been together almost every spare second they had--which wasn't much considering their busy schedules.  They had fallen into such an easy and comfortable relationship that it was hard for her to remember what life had been like before.  She couldn't remember ever being this happy and hoped the feeling would never leave.  

"Are you sure I don't look ridiculous?" Aubrey asked, needing his reassurance.

"I'm sure." Justin replied with a chuckle.  "You look hot." He said, placing his lips against the side of her neck. 

Aubrey shivered involuntarily.  "Are we going to make-out or are you going to show me how to do this?" She asked.

"Hmmm..." Justin hummed, running his hands up her arms and down her sides--his hands finally resting on her hips as he pulled her back against him.  "I didn't know making out was an option right now." He said kissing the other side of her neck.

"It's not." Aubrey replied.  Justin groaned in frustration and she laughed.  "But I'll tell you what." She said, turning around and wrapping her arms around his neck.

"What?" He asked.

"If you help me right now and make it so I don't look like a complete idiot out on the course tomorrow..." she paused and he bent down slightly.  Wrapping his arms around her waist he straightened, picking her up so her toes barely brushed to ground.  "I'll make you dinner tomorrow night."

"What about tonight?" He asked.

"Tonight we can make-out while we watch a movie or something."

"Promise?" He asked, his blue eyes sparkling mischievously.

Aubrey grinned as she kissed him quickly.  "Promise.  Now, put me down and help me work on my stroke here."

Justin let out another groan, this time sounding as if he were in pain.  "If you really want to work on your stroke," Justin replied stepping up behind her once more.  "I can think of a better way to do that."

Aubrey rolled her eyes, though he couldn't see her, and smiled.   "Not gonna happen, Superstar."

"You're a tease." He accused.

"And you're dirty." She replied.

"You like it." Justin countered, whispering seductively in her ear.  "Admit it."

"Nope." Aubrey giggled though her knees felt a little weak.  Justin tightened his arms around her, giving her a squeeze.  "Are we going to do this or not?" She asked.

"I've been trying to help you all morning." He replied.  "You're the one who keeps distracting me."

Aubrey gasped as she laughed, straightening and putting her hands on her hips.  "Watch it." She threatened, pointing the golf club in her hand at him. 

"Or what?" He asked a teasing glint in his eyes.  "I'm not afraid of you, little girl." 

"You know that movie I mentioned earlier?" She questioned.  "Help me, or you can forget about it."

"Okay, I'm sorry." He apologized quickly, making her laugh--though it was very empowering, knowing that this man desired and wanted her in that way.  But there was more to it than just animal lust.  She could see something in his eyes when he looked at her that let her know he wasn't just waiting for a chance to get her into bed.  He truly cared about her and it made her stand a little taller.

"You're going to bring it back like this." Justin said, putting his arms around her again.  He guided her as she brought the club back then swung it.  "And follow through with it like that." He said.  "You got it."

"Let me see you do it." Aubrey said, leaning against the club.  He wanted to take her golfing tomorrow but she had insisted that before she went out on the course with him and made a complete fool of herself in front of other people he had to give her a private lesson on how to play.

Justin drew another club from the bag standing next to them and got into position in front of her.  Aubrey had to bite back the giggle that wanted to escape as he stuck his butt out and wiggled his hips a few times. 

"Are you paying attention?" He asked. 

"Yep." She replied.  Nope.  She thought.  She was too busy watching him to notice what it was he was doing.  He brought the club back over his right shoulder then swung it around--his body twisting as he followed the movement.  "You want to try it with a ball this time?" He asked.

"Sure." She smiled.  They stayed outside for another hour, Justin patiently teaching her the rules of the game as they took turns hitting golf balls across his huge backyard.  "Are you sure you still want me to play with you for real tomorrow?" She asked with a self-conscience laugh as she missed the ball yet again.

"Yes." He nodded.

"You're crazy." She replied.

"Come on." He said, put his club back into the bag.  He held his hand out for hers.  Aubrey gave it to him thankfully.  "That's enough practicing.  Let's go find something to eat.  I'm starving."  Justin picked up the golf bag, slinging it over his shoulder as Aubrey walked beside him.

"Do you remember that day we met at Red Mango?" She asked as he reached out and took her hand.

"Of course I do." He replied with a smile.  "I remember thinking you were kind of weird." He told her.

"What?" She asked with a confused chuckle.  "Really?"  He nodded.  "Why?" She asked.

"You didn't know anything about me.  It...kind of weirded me out."  He admitted, making Aubrey laughed.  "You were the first girl I met that didn't already know my entire life story.  It felt weird actually having to tell the story myself."  He said.  "Why do you ask?" 

"I was just thinking about it the other day and found it funny how much has changed since then." She replied.  Justin smiled as he let go of her hand, putting his arm around her shoulders as he pulled her closer to his side.  "Can I ask you something?" She asked.

"Ask away." He answered.

"Remember how I told you a while ago that I didn't have any of your albums?" She asked.  He nodded as he dropped his arm from around her and opened the back door, holding it open for her.  He set the golf bag down on the porch.  "Well, I have them now." She told him as she turned and walked backwards into the house.  She wanted to watch his expression.

He looked at her in question.  "And?" He asked casually, though she could see the curiosity burning in his eyes.  He wanted to know what she thought.

"And I just have one question." She answered.

"Just one?" He teased, walking past her into the kitchen.  She watched as he grabbed a couple water bottles from the fridge and handed her one.

"Why do you like to pretend your black?" She asked, trying to keep a straight face.

"What?" He asked with a chuckle.

"Your songs." She said, opening her water bottle as she leaned against the counter.  "Why do you like to sing and pretend like your black?"

"Girl, whatchu talkin' ‘bout?" He asked, twisting the baseball cap on his head to the side and pulling his shorts down further.   

"That's what I'm talking about." She said, laughing.  "Mr. Wanna-be Gangster." Justin began doing a few hip hop dance moves around the kitchen. 

"You got a problem with the way I sing, woman?" He asked. 

Aubrey shook her head as she laughed at him.  There was no denying the man had rhythm.  He sure knew how to move.  "And you sure are cocky when you sing." She continued.  Her stomach quivered as he turned and fixed her with a calculating look.  "You really think all it would take is one song to get me naked?"

"I don't know." He replied, sliding up to her and planting his hands on the counter on either side of her.  "Let's find out." He said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Aubrey laughed though a tingle went through her.  "Not tonight." She said with a shake of her head.

"Ah!  You're killin' me here." Justin groaned as he rested his forehead against her shoulder. 

Aubrey laughed again as she put her arms around his neck.  "I'm sorry." She said. 

"It's okay." Justin sighed dramatically then put his lips against her neck.  She shivered slightly as he straightened and looked down at her.  Aubrey kept her arms around him-her fingertips running along the back of his neck.    

"I have another question for you." She said.

"About my singing?" He asked, quirking one brow up. 

"Kind of." She answered. 

"What is it?"

Aubrey just looked at him for a second, wondering whether or not it was a good idea to ask him what she really wanted to know.  It shouldn't bother her but it did.  She should just forget about it, but a nagging voice in the back of her mind wouldn't let her.  She wondered if it was too soon in their relationship to bring this up, but finally she just decided to bite the bullet and ask.  "What happened...between you and Britney?"  Justin let out a heavy sigh as he stepped away from her--her arms falling away from him as she let them come to rest at her sides.  "You don't...have to tell me." She told him, the playful mood between them completely gone now.  "I just...Cry Me A River--"

He blew out a breath as he ran his hands over his short hair.  "It's okay.  I figured it was going to come up sooner or later."  He turned slightly.  "It always does." He muttered under his breath.

~~~~~~

Justin looked over at Aubrey and wished he could postpone this conversation with her.  He'd known this was going to happen--at some point it always came up.  He just hadn't been expecting it so soon.  He wanted to enjoy this beginning stage of their relationship without his past getting in the way.  But how could it not, when his past was so public?  Well...most of it anyway.  He thought.  Though people knew the basics of why he and Britney had broken up years ago, not everyone knew the entire story--not even the girls he'd dated after Britney.  He turned and placed his hands on the countertop-his back to Aubrey--as he closed his eyes and sighed.  It had been almost seven years.  He should be able to talk about it without getting upset but the whole situation was still a sore spot for him.  He knew he just needed to let it go, but he couldn't.  The pain of always wondering "what if" was a constant companion of his and the regret was something he was still learning to live with.  He'd found out the hard way that it was true what they said: you never really got over your first love, and his first love had screwed him over big time leaving a lot of scars in her wake. 

"Yes." He finally said, keeping his back to Aubrey as he answered the question everybody asked him.  "That song is about our break-up.  I wrote that song--and a few others--about her because I was angry and...hurt after what she'd done.  I didn't understand how she could do that to me after everything we'd been through together.  I knew it would cause a big stir if I wrote a song about it and I knew it would help sell the album.  I wanted to show that I could do her one better.  I wanted to have the last word but it was a mean and petty thing to do."  He sighed.  "And it didn't fix anything."

He looked down as Aubrey's arms came around him from behind.  One of her hands rested against his stomach while the other lay over his heart as he felt her lay her head against his back.  "I'm sorry." She said, her arms tightening around him.  "I didn't mean to make you upset or bring back bad memories."

He turned in her arms and she looked up at him, her beautiful eyes conveying her sincere apology.  He lifted his hands and gently cupped her face.  Leaning down he pressed his lips against her forehead then looked down at her.  "Did I love her?" He asked.  "Yes." He nodded.  "Do I wish things could go back to how they were?"  He paused, watching as the uncertainty and vulnerability flashed in Aubrey's eyes at his question.  "No." He shook his head, leaning down and resting his forehead against hers.  He closed his eyes as he breathed her in.  "I am exactly where I want to be right now." He opened his eyes and looked at the woman in front of him.  "Yes, there are other women in my past just like anybody else and, while I'm sure you're going to get a lot of questions from people and end up being compared to them--which I'm sorry about--without them, I wouldn't be here now.  You are the one I'm with and you are the one I want to be with." 

He pressed his lips against hers, kissing her deeply as she wound her arms around his neck.  He bent down, wrapping his arms around her legs and lifted her as he straightened--his lips never leaving hers.  Aubrey didn't seem to notice any of his movements as he turned and sat her down on the counter then moved between her legs.  Her hands ran over his hair as she eagerly matched his passion in a way that drove out all memories of his past heartbreak.  When she pulled back finally--her lungs desperately pulling in the oxygen she needed--Justin put his hands on her hips and pulled her against him as his lips ran along her jaw line and down her neck. 

"What do you say we move this to the other room?" He asked, groaning as she took his earlobe between her lips and he wondered at the temptress she was turning out to be.  Aubrey was sweet and innocent most of the time but--like she had from almost the first day he'd met her--she was constantly surprising him and today was no different.  Her innocent play at seduction was going to prove to be the death of him one of these days.  But oh what a sweet death it would be! 

"I'd say you were a very smart man." His little vixen replied and he chuckled as he pulled back and looked at her. 

"Careful." He said with a smirk as he placed a soft kiss to her lips.  "The way we're going we're gonna find out exactly how long it takes to get you naked."

Aubrey put her head back as she laughed.  "I promised you a make-out session." She said, running her fingers through his short hair as she looked at him--her eyes sparkling happily.  Her tongue darted out and ran over her bottom lip, making his desire for her flair exponentially.  He wondered if she truly appreciated how beautiful and desirable she was.  "Not a roll in the sheets." She finished.

Justin sighed.  "I can dream, can't I?" He asked.

"Keep dreaming, superstar." She replied with a smile as she pressed her lips against his.  "Keep dreaming."

 ~~~~~~

"We need to talk." Aubrey told Justin a few days later as they stood in his kitchen cleaning up dinner Wednesday night.

"About what?" He asked, not sounding a bit concerned.

"About what I'm going to tell people when I go home this weekend." She replied. 

Michael was coming home.  She'd gotten an email from him over the weekend letting her know his troop was being discharged.  An hour later she'd bought the plane ticket to fly home and Monday morning she'd let her manager know she needed a few days off.  The only dark cloud in the whole scenario was the fact that she would be away from Justin for five days.  Thank goodness they lived in the age of technology.  She wasn't sure she'd be able to survive if she couldn't call him whenever she wanted. 

"What do you mean?" Justin asked, bringing her back to reality.

"What do I tell them about us?" She asked leaning back against the counter.

"Tell them you're dating the world's hottest and most eligible bachelor." He replied, puffing out his chest proudly. 

Aubrey laughed.  "I'm serious!" She said.

"So am I." He replied.  She reached over and slapped his chest playfully.  "Hey!" He exclaimed with a laugh.  "Careful--I'm valuable property."  Aubrey laughed more as he grabbed her arm and pulled her towards him--wrapping his arms around her.  "Tell them whatever you want." He said, looking down at her.  "But don't tell too many lies about me." He grinned.  "They might meet me one day and I don't want them to be too disappointed."

Fat chance. Aubrey thought as she put her arms around his waist.  She closed her eyes as she rested her forehead against his jaw--breathing in the familiar scent of his cologne.  As Justin tightened his arms around her Aubrey turned her head, resting her cheek against his shoulder as she just stood--wrapped in his incredibly strong and warm embrace. 

I love you

Her eyes popped open as those three words went through her head and she had to bite her tongue to keep them in.  Her heart began racing and she prayed he wouldn't notice the way her pulse was pounding.  It was too soon...wasn't it?  They'd only been dating for two and a half weeks.  She couldn't possibly know she loved him yet...could she?

"You okay?" Justin asked pulling back slightly.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Aubrey replied quickly, looking up at him as she stepped out of his arms.  He narrowed his eyes slightly as she tucked her hair behind her ears.  She forced a smile, fighting back the fear that had come with her realization.  She hadn't been prepared for the enormity of the feelings she had for this man and they scared her.  He was charming, sweet and funny.  He was talented and genuine.  He had a heart of gold and always managed to make her feel like she was the only woman on the planet who mattered.  He was an incredible kisser and he had no idea that he held her heart in his hands and how--with a single word--he could so easily shatter it.  She wanted to tell him how she felt, but if he said he didn't feel the same way she knew she wouldn't be able to handle it.  So she kept it in--hoping he would say those three little words first.

"Did you decide on a movie?" She asked, bringing herself back to the conversation at hand.

"Yeah." He responded, reaching out and taking her hand.  "Are you sure you're okay?" He asked as he laced his fingers with hers--concern clouding his blue eyes.

"I'm sure." She smiled, reaching up and placing her lips against his cheek.  "But thank you for asking."  He squeezed her hand as he turned, leading her into the other room.       

~~~~~~

"I hate you." Aubrey vowed emphatically as she burrowed her face against Justin's shoulder.  He just laughed as he put his arm around her as they lay, lounging on his couch.  She looked up and glared at him.  "Watch it." She warned, pointing a finger at his mischievous grin.  Brennan raised her head from where she lay on Aubrey's feet and looked at them.

"What?" Justin asked with a chuckle.  "You told me you didn't care what we watched tonight."

"Because I didn't know you were going to pick something like this!" She exclaimed, pointing towards the enormous flat screen taking up most of the wall in front of them.  She cringed and hid her face again as yet one more person was attacked and killed by the zombies chasing after them. 

"You should have told me you didn't like horror movies." Justin replied--the blood and gore going on in front of them not seeming to faze him in the slightest.

"I'm never going to be able to sleep tonight." Aubrey whined, lifting her hands to cover her ears from the screams coming from the screen.  "And it's all your fault." She poked a finger in his chest.

"So don't sleep." He told her, tightening his arm around her again.  "You can just stay here." He placed his lips against her temple.  "I'm sure I can think of a few things we can do that'll keep you awake."

Aubrey lifted her head to look at him in surprise.  "Excuse me?" She asked not quite sure if he was just teasing her like he usually did or if he really meant it this time. 

"You heard me." He said as he lifted the remote resting on the arm of the couch and turned off the movie.  Brennan got off of the couch as Justin shifted beside her.  His eyes met hers and her heart pounded in her chest as they gave her the answer to her question.  He was serious.  He leaned towards her, closing the small distance between them and captured her lips with his.

"Stay with me tonight." He said as he pulled back, his eyes holding her captive.  He lifted one hand as he caressed her cheek with his warm fingers.  Goose bumps enveloped her and a delicious tingle ran down her spine. 

"Justin..." She breathed.  "I don't...I don't know..." She trailed off as his head lowered once more-his sinful mouth roaming down her neck.  Her traitorous body reacted to him though her thoughts were racing and her heart was pounding frantically in her chest.

She knew this was going to happen sooner or later--after all, she was dating Mr. SexyBack himself--but she'd secretly hoped it would happen later rather than sooner.  She had pushed away all thoughts of him asking her to sleep with him out of fear.  She wasn't ready to make a decision about this yet!  Technically she knew she didn't have anything to worry about--there was no doubt in her mind that he knew what he was doing and would take care of her--but she felt almost paralyzed with fear as his lips continued roaming over her skin.  He'd made a few comments over the last couple weeks about how cute and naïve she was about certain things, but she wondered if he knew just how naïve she really was.  When it really came down to it would he want to be with someone as inexperienced as she was?  Someone who'd never done this before?

His hand slipped beneath the hem of her T-shirt and she let out a small gasp as his fingers came in contact with the soft skin of her stomach.  She stiffened at the contact and pulled back from him.  "Justin, stop." She said. 

~~~~~

Justin pulled back--the fear in Aubrey's voice working to douse the fire that had been burning through him seconds before.  "What's the matter?" He asked, sitting up.

"I can't do this." She repeated, shaking her head as they both sat up.  "I'm sorry." She apologized, taking a few deep breaths.

"It's okay." He told her as he placed his hand against her cheek.  "We don't have to do this tonight if you're not ready."  Although the thought of sleeping with her had been a constant companion of his the last couple weeks, he didn't want to push her into something she wasn't ready for. 

"I've never done this before." She told him, the words tumbling from her lips.

"It's okay." He repeated, assuming she was referring to freaking out and feeling hesitant about taking this step in their relationship.  "It's a big step to take.  We can wait."  He pulled her close and pressed his lips against her forehead.

"No." She said, pushing him away.  "I've never...done this...before." She told him--her cheeks warming instantly--her eyes pleading for him to understand what she was saying.  His eyes widened as a light suddenly came on and he pulled back in surprise.  Aubrey groaned and stood--turning her back to him.

Justin sat in stunned silence as the reality of what Aubrey had just told him sunk in.  She's a virgin?! He thought in surprise--though why it surprised him he didn't know.  This was Aubrey he was talking about after all.  The girl had been surprising him from day one but this...he shook his head as the memory of him having a conversation with JC about the possibility of Rachel being a virgin when they'd first started dating came back to him and he grimaced.  At the time he'd found himself grateful that he hadn't been in JC's shoes having to deal with that particular issue in his relationship and now here he was.  He sighed as he stood and put his hands on Aubrey's shoulders. 

"Aubrey." He said gently, turning her to face him.  She kept her eyes focused on the floor between them.  "Look at me." He urged.

"I'm sorry." She said quietly.

"Why are you apologizing?" He asked, lifting her chin with his finger.  Her eyes met his full of humiliation and vulnerability. 

"Because I don't know what I'm doing here and because you deserve someone better than some innocent twenty-two year old who doesn't know what the heck she's doing." She told him.

"Stop." He said firmly.  He hated when she put herself down like that.  "This isn't about me and if anyone is undeserving in this relationship, it's you."  He said.

"Why?" Aubrey asked, looking at him in confusion.

"Because I've...done things in my life that I'm not proud of." A sudden flash of memory from the night of his fashion show came to mind--the same feelings of disgust and self-hatred that he'd felt when he'd woken up in that hotel room filled him again.   "So you've never done this before." He shrugged his shoulders.  "I don't care." He said, the truth of his words confirming themselves to him as he said them.  He didn't care.  "But this isn't about me."  He continued.  "This is about you.  I can wait."  He brought his hand up, cupping her cheek as he smiled softly.  "When you're ready, you'll know when to jump and--if you still want me--I'll be right there to catch you."

Aubrey smiled as she put her arms around him, laying her head against his shoulder.  "Thank you." She said quietly.

Justin wrapped his arms around her--pulling her close as he lowered his head, nuzzling her neck.  He'd meant what he'd told her.  Was he disappointed?  A little.  But he could wait.  She looked up at him and he kissed her, hoping to convey the feelings he was having that he couldn't quite put into words.  Aubrey was everything he'd ever wanted.  She was sweet and funny and-even though he knew she didn't see herself that way--incredibly sexy.  She was the first girl he had dated where he didn't feel like he had to put on a show or act a certain way around them.  From the very beginning they had both just been themselves and he relished that fact.  It had only been three weeks but already he felt more for her than he had for any other girl.  She was real.  She was genuine.  She was perfect for him. 

He just prayed she wouldn't make him wait too long...

End Notes:
I know I've been kind of lazy about responding to all of your guys' reviews, but I wanted to let you know that I do read them and they make me laugh!  I LOVE knowing what you guys think of this story and my characters.  It keeps me motivated to keep writing :)  Thanks!  You guys are the best!  *tear*
Chapter 17 by azchickadee
"Justin Timberlake is the father of my baby."

                          

Those eight words brought everything in Justin's life to a screeching halt Saturday morning.  He'd just gotten back from taking Buckley and Brennan for a run and as he walked through his bedroom--headed for the shower--he'd turned on the television.  He was supposed to meet Joey, Lance and Chris over at JC's house in a few hours to talk with Johnny over the phone and start working on putting this whole reunion thing together, but his world had just come crashing down around him.  He sat down heavily on the end of his bed.

Normally he wasn't one to pay attention to the rumors that went around about him.  Ever since he'd been fourteen and his name had become a regular in the gossip columns, people had been making up stories about him.  As he flipped through a few channels--each news program running the same story--his heart sunk into the pit of his stomach.  If he'd never seen the girl before he would have been able to turn off the TV and not worry about anything--knowing his lawyer and PR people would take care of everything--but that wasn't the case this time. 

This girl was all too familiar.

He'd been trying to forget about her for the last two months; trying to ignore the nagging guilt in the back of his mind over his stupid mistake of sleeping with her.  His phone rang just then, startling him, and he answered it quickly without looking to see who it was first.

"Is it true?" His mother's voice came over the line as he sat there numbly watching Nikki up on the screen declaring to the entire world that she was carrying his baby.

"I don't know." He answered truthfully.

"What do you mean, you don't know?" Lynn asked, not accepting his answer.

"Uh..." He hesitated.

"Justin Randall..."

"I don't know, Ma!" He replied in exasperation, running a hand over the top of his head.  "This is the first I'm hearing about it!"

"Is it a credible claim?" She asked.  "Do we need to worry about this?"

Justin remained quiet as he hung his head, placing his hand over his eyes--flashes of several different and painful memories making him sick.  "Yes." He finally answered--the weight of his poorly made, drug induced decision pressing down against him.  His mother sighed on the other end of the line.

"What about Aubrey?" She asked quietly.

Justin's eyes popped open.  Aubrey!  "Damn it!" He swore.  "Ma, I gotta go." He said his heart beginning to pound anxiously in his chest.  How was Aubrey going to react to all of this?  She'd been hesitant about their relationship in the first place and he was still working to prove that it was going to work between them.  He knew this wasn't going to go over too well with her.  This is going to undo all I've done.  "I'll call you later." He said, ending the call with his mom.  He quickly dialed Aubrey's number--cursing the fact that she was clear across the country from him right now.  This conversation would be so much easier if he could look her in the eyes and gauge her reaction to what he needed to tell her.

"Hi, this is Aubrey.  Sorry I couldn't answer.  Leave me a message and I promise I'll call you back."

"Damn it!" He swore again, hanging up and immediately dialing her number again.  He stood and began pacing nervously as he just got her voicemail again.  He hung up and tried a third time--desperation starting to set in.  He could deal with Nikki and her paternity suit.  What he couldn't deal with was losing Aubrey over it.  They'd come too far and he'd worked too hard to lose her now.  Had she already heard the reports?  Was that why she wasn't answering?  Had she found out about Nikki's claim and was pulling away from him?  Was her not answering her way of telling him it was too late?  That things were over between them?  Justin placed a hand to his chest as it became hard to breathe.  His heart felt like it was being squeezed and he knew he was going to lose it any second now.

"Hi, this is Aubrey.  Sorry I couldn't answer.  Leave me a message and I promise I'll call you back."

Justin stopped pacing and leaned his forehead against the wall--closing his eyes as he finally left her a message.  "Hi, it's me." He said.  "Listen...I need to talk to you."  He paused, debating what to say.  If, by some chance, she hadn't heard about it yet he didn't want to give anything away before talking to her.  But if she had heard... "Before you do anything, please call me." He continued.  "It's important."  He hung up, dropping the phone to the ground as he turned and slid down the wall--coming to sit on the floor of his bedroom.  Brennan came over and nudged his shoulder with her nose. 

"I really screwed up this time, Bren." He told the dog.  "I don't know if she's going to understand."

~~~~~~

"We don't need this kind of publicity right now!" JC exclaimed as he paced around his Living Room.  Justin had hurried over to his house, hoping the other guys hadn't shown up yet.  Luckily, they hadn't.  Unluckily, JC was now pissed off and yelling at him for being such an idiot. 

"You don't think I don't know this?!" Justin replied hotly.  "Do you think I planned for this to happen?  Hell no! But it did." He sat down on the couch.  "I need to figure out what to do about it."  Both men were quiet for a moment.  "Maybe it'll be okay." Justin said.  "It might not even be mine.  Besides, Joey had a kid the last time we were together." He offered as he looked up at JC.  "It didn't seem to hurt anything."

JC just looked at him in disgust.  "Joey had Brianna with his girlfriend," he stressed the word.  "Whom he later married.  This is completely different!  You knocked up some girl you don't even know.  I mean, who does that?!" He said, throwing his hands up in the air.  "Who sleeps with someone they don't know without using protection?"

"I did use protection!" Justin countered in defense.  "And you're really one to talk, Jace.  Before Rachel came along you were pretty quick to jump into bed with anything in a skirt." JC glared at him.  Justin stood up.

"What the hell is going on in here?" Rachel asked as she walked into the room, her eyes bouncing back and forth between the two guys.  JC looked over at her.  "Why are you guys yelling at each other?  You shouldn't be fighting." She told them.  "You're supposed to be planning a reunion, remember?" She asked. 

"Maybe someone should have thought of that before he decided to go get some girl pregnant." JC replied, folding his arms across his chest as he turned and looked at Justin in accusation.  An awkward tension descended over the room.

"I'm sorry, what?" Rachel asked, looking at Justin in shock. 

"Thanks, C." Justin replied sarcastically under his breath.

"Well, everyone's going to know about it by tomorrow anyway." JC said.

"Aubrey's pregnant?!" Rachel asked looking at Justin in complete shock. 

"What?" Justin asked.  "No!" He shook his head.  "It's not Aubrey."

"What do you mean it's not Aubrey?" She asked, putting her hands on her hips.  "You got someone else pregnant?"

"That's the rumor going around." Justin replied.

"Is it true?" Rachel questioned.

"Possibly." Justin answered.  He watched as Rachel turned and grabbed the remote control for the television off the coffee table.  She turned on the TV, flipping through the channels till she found one reporting on the story that was slowly working to change his life. 

"Is that her?" Rachel asked him as she continued watching the screen in front of them. Justin shoved his hands in his pockets and looked down at the floor. 

"Were you drunk?" JC asked.

"A little, yeah." Justin nodded.  "And...kind of high."

"And kind of stupid." JC added under his breath.

"You know what?" Justin said in frustration, turning to the guy he'd known for the past seventeen years and who had become his brother and best friend through everything they'd gone through together. "So I screwed up?  So I made a mistake?  Who hasn't?" He asked, throwing his arms out to the sides, his anger flaring.  "Yes, this is a pretty big mistake and I realize that it's going to affect the group and what we had planned and I'm sorry.  I came over here because I needed to tell someone--someone I trusted-about it." He shook his head.  "Thanks for being there for me, man." He growled then turned and stalked out of the house.

~~~~~~

"And once again, everything is going to be about Justin." JC grumbled under his breath.  He turned to look at Rachel who stood with her arms folded across her chest as she looked at him in disappointment.  "What?" He asked.

"He needs a friend right now, Joshua." She scolded him.  "He doesn't need someone to beat him up about this--he's doing that enough on his own.  Plus, he's right." She said.  "Nothing's been proven yet."

"What do you want me to do?" He asked in irritation.    

"Act like the man you are." She said, then turned and left the room.  JC scowled at Rachel's retreating form then let out a growl of frustration.  She was right.  He shouldn't have gone off on Justin like he had--he'd just been caught off guard and hadn't known what to do or say.  They'd finally all been able to get together to start putting things together for this reunion and this had to happen.

"What's up with Justin?"

JC looked up as Lance walked into the room. 

"Yeah, where's he going?" Chris asked as he and Joey joined them.  "He's coming back, right?"

JC took a deep breath as he scrubbed his hands over his face.  "You guys...might want to sit down for this one."

~~~~~~

"There you are!" Aubrey said as she put her purse down on the floor of her bedroom at her parent's house and picked up her cell phone.  She'd gone off this morning with her family, not realizing she'd left it at home.  The fact that it was missing hadn't registered until they'd been driving back from the annual Chincoteague Blueberry Festival and she'd begun to question why Justin hadn't at least texted her all day.  She and her family had gone to the festival when they'd first moved to Virginia but hadn't been back since.  Since it turned out that she was home over the weekend it was going on they'd decided to go again.  When she'd begun searching for her phone in her purse, panic had sunk in thinking she'd left it somewhere on the island and would have to make the two hundred thirty mile round trip again between her parent's house in Ashland out to Chincoteague Island--not that she'd really have minded.  The scenery alone was worth the hours in the car. 

She breathed a sigh of relief as she lay down on her bed.  "Fourteen missed calls?" She asked aloud.  "Who died?" She pressed the button to check her voicemail--smiling when she heard Justin's voice.  She missed him.  As much as she was enjoying spending time with her family, and as much as she loved having Michael back safe and sound, she missed Justin and couldn't wait to get back home to see him.  She'd been going through withdrawals all day with no way to communicate with him.

"Hi, it's me." He said.  "Listen...I need to talk to you."  He paused, sounding almost panicked. "Before you do anything, please call me." He continued.  "It's important."

Aubrey looked at her phone in question as Justin's message ended.  What could be so important that he wanted me to call him before I did anything? She wondered.  She looked over at the clock on her nightstand.  11:45. "No wonder I'm so tired!" She said aloud, kicking off her shoes.  Although it was only nine back home in California and she knew Justin would still be awake, she was tired.  She'd flown in late last night and then had been up early in order to leave this morning and the time change and travel were suddenly catching up to her.  She pushed the covers down a little and wiggled beneath them--not even bothering to change out of her shorts and T-shirt.  She suddenly couldn't keep her eyes open another minute.  I'll call him in the morning. She yawned.  She knew a phone call with Justin would last at least an hour and she was beyond tired right now.  Whatever he wanted to talk to her about could wait until tomorrow.  Aubrey turned off the lamp by her bed and was asleep as soon as she closed her eyes.

~~~~~~

Aubrey walked into the house and kicked off her shoes as she flipped through the mail in her hands.  Setting her keys and purse down on the table she systematically tore up the pieces of junk mail-throwing them away--then picked up the latest Victoria's Secret catalogue that had come.  She flipped through it as she walked back towards the Family Room.  What a lot of people didn't know about her was the fact that she loved Victoria's Secret.  It was her guilty pleasure.  She smiled as she thought about Justin's reaction when he'd found she had a credit card from that store and spent a ridiculous amount of money on their underwear.  He'd tried his hardest to get her to show him what she was wearing when he found out, but she'd told him to keep trying.   She drew her bottom lip between her teeth as the memory made her stomach quiver.  Sooner or later she wasn't going to be able to postpone the inevitable anymore.  She wondered when he'd be home tonight. 

She hadn't heard from him all day but that wasn't unusual these days.  Not only was he busy working with the guys on their new album and trying to keep the whole N SYNC reunion a secret until they were ready to announce something, but he was also in the middle of opening a new restaurant with Trace.  Aubrey couldn't understand how he did it all but Justin thrived on the stress that came with constantly being busy and having some major project to work on and she had to give him props.  With all he had going on, he still found time to spend with her-letting her know he was truly invested in their relationship and wanted it to succeed. 

Aubrey sat down on the couch and turned on the TV.  She didn't really pay attention to what was on, until she heard mention of a familiar name.

"Justin Timberlake is known for dating A-list celebrities which makes us  wonder how he met the new girl he's with.  It couldn't have been at a club since she looks like she has no idea what a club even is and we all know she's not that famous.  So, where did he meet her?  Did she win some contest we're not aware of?  And what does he see in her?  We did a little digging.  Although she does have a lot going for her--she volunteers at a swimming facility once a week--we wonder why at twenty-two she's still not meeting her potential."

Aubrey's jaw dropped as the reporter continued talking about her. 

"It turns out she's going to school part-time at UCLA.  To be a teacher.  But how can you be a great teacher if you can't even manage to go to school full-time yourself?  Doesn't she realize she's going to have to do that when she IS a teacher?  Maybe that's why she's with Justin.  After all these years of him protesting girls who don't have jobs and glom onto celebrities, he's finally been seduced by one and doesn't care that she's hanging off him and using him for his money.

"She's been spotted around town cozying up to Justin's friend and former band mate, JC Chasez's, fiancé--she certainly seems to know how to work the system.  Although sources indicate that she and Rachel Kline used to work together, there must have been some scheming that went into her getting together with Justin.

"What exactly does she have going for her?  We just don't understand why he's with her. He's never been someone to be with a "normal" girl.  Why now?  Does she have some super powers we're not aware of?  I think, he's just a little desperate right now.  His breakup with Jessica earlier this year must have hurt a little more than we all thought.  Come on, JT!  If you're keeping her around because you're lonely, I have several girlfriends--who have real jobs and smaller jean sizes--who would be more than willing to volunteer for the position."

Aubrey's eyes popped open as she came awake, her heart pounding in her chest and her breathing rapid.  It was just a dream.  She told herself over and over again, concentrating on calming her heart rate back down.  It was just a dream.  She turned and looked at her alarm clock.  9:00. She reached for her cell phone needing to hear his voice; needing to reassure herself that everything was going to be okay.  She needed him to tell her that her dream was silly and unfounded.  Even though it was only six a.m. in California she didn't care.  Justin was normally an early riser, so she was going to take a chance that today would be no different.  She dialed his number and held the phone against her ear. 

"Oh, thank God!" Justin replied with a heavy sigh as he answered on the first ring.  Aubrey could almost literally see him collapsing in relief onto the couch. 

"Justin?" She questioned as she sat up, leaning back against her headboard.  "What's going on?" Aubrey asked beginning to worry.

"Nothing." He said taking a deep breath.  "I just..." He paused.  "I didn't think you were going to call me back." He said.

"Why wouldn't I?" She asked. 

"I called all day yesterday and you didn't answer.  I thought..." Again there was a heavy pause on his end.

"I'm sorry." She said.  "I was gone all day with my family and I left my phone at home by accident.  We didn't get back until almost midnight and by the time I got your message I was exhausted."

"You have no idea how good it is to hear your voice." He said.

"Are you okay?" She asked him, really beginning to wonder about his odd behavior.  "Is...is everything alright?"

"No." He answered.

"What's going on?"         

~~~~~~

"What do you mean you're going home?" Michelle Davis asked as Aubrey set her bag down on the floor by the front door a few hours later.  "You just got here!"

"I know, Mom." Aubrey said, putting her hands on her hips.  "I don't want to leave but I have to.  Justin needs me right now."

"Why?" Her mother questioned.

"I don't know." Aubrey said.  "He wouldn't tell me but I know something is going on.  He was acting really weird over the phone but wouldn't come out and tell me what the problem was.  I just...I can't stand the thought of him going through something without being there for him."

"You really like this boy, don't you?" Her mother asked, putting her hands on her hips.

Aubrey nodded.  "Yes." She said. "I do.  And he needs me right now."

"Okay." Michelle nodded.  "Let's go see if we can find you a flight home."

~~~~~~ 

Aubrey let out a groan of frustration as she sat down heavily on the couch later that afternoon.  There was no flight to L.A. available until tomorrow morning--two hours before she was already scheduled to fly home.  Everything was booked.  She pulled her legs up on the couch, hugging them to her chest as she rested her chin atop her knees.  Something big was going on back home--but Justin wouldn't tell her what.  She felt anxious and fearful and completely helpless.  How was she supposed to be there for Justin when she was clear across the country from him?  After hanging up with him this morning Aubrey had tried calling him multiple times but he hadn't answered.  She was afraid that whatever it was that was making him act so weird was making him pull away from her. 

"Hey." Michael said coming and sitting down next to her.

"Hey." Aubrey replied without enthusiasm.  Michael put his arm around her and she leaned against him--tucking her legs underneath her as she put her arms around his waist and laid her head against his chest.  It felt so good to have him home and know that he was safe. 

"I'm sure everything will be fine." He told her. 

"Thanks." Aubrey said.  "I just..." she hesitated.  Her family knew about Justin--to an extent.  She'd told them about him, just not who he really was.  She felt trapped almost, wondering if she could trust them with his identity and she wondered if this was what it had felt like for him the majority of his life.  What a horrible way to go through life--never knowing who you could trust.  But if I can't trust my family, she wondered.  Who can I trust?

"You just, what?" Her brother asked.

"Nothing." She smiled up at him.  "You're right.  Everything will be fine.  I'm worrying too much about it."  Michael narrowed his eyes as he looked at her, clearly not believing her.  "Do you want to watch a movie or something?" She asked.  "There're a couple of really good ones you've missed the last couple years."

"Sure." He replied.  "Whatever you want, Freckles."

~~~~~

"So wait." Michael said as the extra scene at the end of the credits on Ironman faded out.  "What does that mean?  Are they making a sequel?" He looked over at Aubrey.

"Yep." She nodded. "Put in The Incredible Hulk.  That's the next one."

"The next one?" Michael asked.  "How are Ironman and the Hulk connected?"

Someone knocked on the door just then and Aubrey stood to go answer it.  "Just put it in." She said.  "You'll see." She smiled at her brother as she walked towards the front door.  Luckily her father--a movie addict--had just about every movie ever made so they never had to go out and rent anything. 

"Which Hulk movie?" Michael called out from the Family Room.

"The one with Edward Norton." She yelled back as she opened the front door.  Her eyes widened in surprise and her heart leapt in her chest as a pair of familiar blue eyes met her.  "Justin." She breathed as she jumped into his arms--wrapping her arms around his neck.  "What are you doing here?"

~~~~~~

Justin put his arms around Aubrey and held her tightly.  He felt like he'd been drowning at sea and someone had just thrown him a life line.  Lowering his head he pressed his face into her neck and concentrated on not letting his emotions get the better of him.  The sense of stability and peace he got from just holding her was amazing.  He'd been one step away from completely breaking down the last thirty-six hours but suddenly it seemed like there was a glimmer of hope--a light in the darkness that had descended upon him.

"What is going on?" Aubrey asked, bringing him out of his thoughts as she pulled back slightly and looked at him.  He lifted his head as she placed her hands on his face. 

"I just needed to hold you." He said.  "I couldn't do that over the phone this morning and I couldn't wait for you to get back tomorrow."

"Must be nice to have your own jet and the money to fly wherever you want, huh?" She teased as she stepped out of his arms.  He watched as she quickly closed the still open front door of her parent's house behind her then turned back to him.  She went up on her toes and kissed him, her arms coming around his neck once more.  He hugged her tightly again, sending a silent prayer of gratitude heavenward for this woman.  She had been brought into his life just when he needed someone most.  She always knew what to say, even when she didn't know what was going on.  Now help me know what to say.  He prayed.  He didn't know how this night was going to turn out and that thought scared him more than this whole paternity suit looming over him did.  I don't want to lose her.  He pulled back and put a hand on her face.

"Is there somewhere we can talk?" He asked.

"Sure." She nodded.  "Just let me--"

She turned and Justin looked up in surprise as the front door suddenly opened. 

"Hey, Aub, are you--oh, sorry." The guy Justin had only seen once in a picture, but who he knew was Aubrey's brother Michael, interrupted them. 

Aubrey glanced back and forth between her brother and himself.  "Michael," she said nervously tucking her hair behind her ear.  "This is...Justin.  Justin, this is my brother, Michael." She said in introduction. 

"Hey." Michael said, extending his hand in a friendly gesture though his expression was guarded as he recognized who Justin was.  Justin couldn't blame him--it wasn't everyday you learned your sister was dating a celebrity.

"Hey." Justin replied, shaking his hand.  Michael held onto his hand tightly and didn't let go right away--his brown eyes giving Justin a silent but obvious warning.  Hurt her and I'll kill you.  He nodded slightly to indicate he understood and Michael let go of his hand as Aubrey stepped between them.  

"I'll be right back." Aubrey said to Justin as she put her hands on her brother's chest, pushing him back into the house.  "Don't go anywhere." She told Justin.

~~~~~~  

"You're dating Justin Timberlake?!" Michael exclaimed as Aubrey closed the front door.

"Shh!" She told him sharply.  She didn't want Justin to hear Michael--or their parents for that matter!  Aubrey grabbed her sweatshirt from where it was hanging by the front door.  Although it was the middle of the summer, nights were still chilly.  She didn't know how long she and Justin were going to be out and she didn't want to have to cut anything short because she was cold.

"Yes." She said.  "I'm dating Justin Timberlake."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Michael asked.  "And how in the hell did you meet him in the first place?"

"Would you have believed me if I'd told you?" She asked as she sat down on the couch and put her tennis shoes on.

"Probably not." Michael answered.

"That's why I didn't tell you." She said.

"Who was at the door?" Their mother asked, walking down the stairs.

"Justin--"

"A friend." Aubrey interrupted her brother with a warning look.  "I'm going out." She told her mother.  "I don't know when I'll be home.  Don't wait up for me." She said standing and quickly left before they could stop her or ask any other questions. 

Justin looked up, straightening from where he'd been leaning back against the house as she came back outside.  "Let's get out of here before they stop us with more questions.  Did you get a ride here or did you drive?" She asked.

"I rented a car." He said pointing at the black Chevy Silvarado parked at the curb. 

"Perfect." She smiled.

"Where are we going?" He asked.

"I'll show you." Aubrey replied.  "Let's just get out of here first." She said as he unlocked the truck and held the passenger door open for her.  Aubrey gave him a kiss as she got in then smiled as he closed the door.

~~~~~~

Justin took a steadying breath as he walked around the front of the truck.  The fact that Aubrey hadn't slammed the door in his face or kicked his sorry ass to the curb gave him hope that she still didn't know what was going on back home.  He didn't understand how she hadn't heard about it, but he wasn't going to question it. 

"I think your brother wants to kill me." He said as he got into the truck and started the engine.

"Why do you say that?" Aubrey asked as he pulled away from the curb. 

"Because I'm dating his sister." He replied.

"He'll get over it." She said with a smile.  "Although, when he does he's probably going to ask you to hook him up with Angelina Jolie." She teased.  "So watch out."

Justin laughed in spite of himself.  "If it'll put me in his good graces I'll do it." He told her. 

Silence fell between them as he continued driving, until Aubrey spoke up again.  "How'd you find my parent's house?" She asked.

"I lied to your grandmother." He replied.

"What?" Aubrey asked with a laugh.

"I went over there this morning and told her I had to fly out here for business and wanted to see you tonight before you flew back home tomorrow.:

"You should be ashamed of yourself!" She laughed.  "Lying to Grams?" Aubrey shook her head.  "I don't think you can go to heaven if you lie to someone's grandmother, can you?" She teased.

Justin frowned at Aubrey's remark.  She didn't know it but her words hit a little too close to home.  That's not what's going to keep me out.  He thought.  He leaned his left elbow up on the door of the truck as he ran his hand over his head. 

"I was teasing." Aubrey said as she reached out and put a hand on his other arm.

"I know." He replied, looking over at her.  "I just..." He trailed off--not sure what to say or where to begin.  He put both hands back on the steering wheel-gripping it tightly.  Aubrey reached over and took his left hand, sliding her fingers between his. 

"Turn left up here." She said pointing at the intersection they were approaching.  He did as she directed.  Following the rest of her directions he put the truck in park as they came to an empty parking lot. 

"Where are we?" He asked.

"A park." She said.  "Come on." She let go of his hand as she unbuckled her seat belt and got out.

Justin took a deep breath as he got out as well and joined her.  As he walked towards Aubrey he couldn't help feeling the outcome of the conversation was going to determine the rest of his life.

Here goes nothing.  He thought.

Chapter 18 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

Did everyone have a good weekend?

"I envy you, you know." Justin said as he and Aubrey began walking around the park. 

"What?" Aubrey asked in surprise, not expecting that statement from him.  "Why?"

"Because you haven't completely messed up your life like I have." He answered.

Aubrey stopped and looked up at him.  "Justin, what is going on?" She asked.  "You're really starting to scare me here." She told him.

Justin sighed and looked down at his feet.  "I need to tell you some things." He said looking back up at her--the tortured look in his blue eyes making her want to just wrap her arms around him and make everything that was hurting him just go away.  She didn't have that power however, so the only thing she could do was listen to what he needed to tell her.  "This isn't..." He paused as he continued.  "This isn't going to be easy...for me or for you." He said.  "I just..." He hesitated again.  "I need you to hear me out." He said. 

"Okay." Aubrey replied.  Justin turned and started walking again.  Aubrey fell in step beside him, her heart fluttering nervously in her chest.  She had no idea what it was he needed to tell her and the fact that it was this hard for him to say it didn't calm her any.

"I, uh..." he began then blew out a breath.  "Man, this is hard." He chuckled self-consciously as he rubbed the back of his neck with his hand.  Aubrey looked over at him, though he refused to look at her.  "I haven't told anyone the whole story except for my mom." He said, his brows furrowing.  Aubrey watched as he swallowed nervously.  She led him over to a nearby swing set and they sat down beside each other on the swings.  She watched him, remaining quiet-giving him the time he needed to sort through his thoughts.

"You asked me a few weeks ago about what happened between me and Britney." He began, his eyes seeming to be glued to the ground in front of him.  "I told you that I wrote those songs about her because I was hurt and angry but what you don't know--what nobody knows--is what really went on with that whole situation."  He finally looked over at her.  "We both kept quiet about everything when it was happening because both of our careers would have been ruined at the time and over the years it's just become habit to evade the questions that still come up."  He stopped.

"What happened?" Aubrey questioned quietly, hoping she'd be able to handle whatever he told her.  What would have been bad enough to ruin both of their careers?

"The rumors about her being unfaithful to me were true." He replied.  "She cheated on me with someone we both knew; someone who was a close friend of mine at the time.  When I found out I was completely taken by surprise.  We'd just bought a house together and I'd built this whole fantasy life for us in my head, never knowing that she wasn't seeing the same picture I was.  We fought.  I yelled and...she cried a lot--trying to tell me how sorry she was but I was done.  There had been other little signs along the way that she wasn't as committed as I was to the relationship.  I could see that the fame and the spotlight we were both surrounded by were pulling her in a different direction than it was me.  Maybe it was because our childhoods had been so different?"

He shrugged and Aubrey agreed with him silently.  It was obvious that Justin had had a solid and steady upbringing before he'd burst onto the pop scene, thus making it easier for him to navigate the pitfalls that came with fame when you were that young. 

"I don't know." He continued.  "But the relationship ended and she went home to Louisiana for a while."  He looked away from her again and an expectant silence filled the space between them as Aubrey waited for the revelation she knew was coming.  "What nobody knows is that when she left she was pregnant." 

Aubrey sat in stunned silence as Justin continued.

"I didn't even know at the time, except her mom called my mom and told her what was going on.  She claimed it wasn't mine--that it was...his--but..."

"Was it yours?" Aubrey asked. 

"I don't know." He said, turning his blue eyes on her again.  The same pained and tortured expression on his face from earlier.  "I don't know."  He repeated his voice thick with emotion.  He cleared his throat and sniffed, closing his eyes as he turned away from her again.  "She ended it before I could find out."  He confessed quietly.

Aubrey reached out for his hand.  Justin's fingers tightened around hers and she wanted to cry for him.  She'd come to know him pretty well over the last six months and she knew that, while it would have completely changed his life and he wouldn't be anywhere near what he was today, he would have taken the challenge of raising a child so young head on and done great at it. 

"I didn't get to find out if that baby was mine or not." He said, bringing Aubrey out of her thoughts.  "But that's not going to happen again."  He vowed and she looked at him in question, her eyes narrowing as he turned to look at her.  "This is the part where I need you to hear me out." He said as he tightened his grip on her hand as if he were afraid she was going to run away.  Aubrey sat up taller in the swing and squared her shoulders, preparing herself for what he was about to tell her.  She knew it wasn't going to be pretty and she prayed she'd have the strength to handle whatever it was that was coming her way.

~~~~~~ 

Justin watched Aubrey closely as he held her hand tightly.  So far so good.  He thought.  He'd been able to get through talking about Britney and their messy breakup without losing it too badly.  He'd come close a few times, but he'd been able to hold his emotions back for the most part--which gave him hope that time passing was working to heal the wounds he was still carrying around.  He took a deep breath as he plunged ahead, telling Aubrey what she needed to know before she returned to California.

"I've had a paternity suit filed against me." He said. 

"What?" Aubrey asked in surprise.  "By whom?"

"Do you remember the fashion show I had a few months ago?" He asked and she nodded.  "It was right after we went to Cabo." He said in case she didn't remember, even though he knew she did.  "I called and asked if you wanted to go with me, but...you were still worrying about when I tried to kiss you and trying to figure out what you wanted to do about Andrew being upset with you that I didn't push you as hard as I wanted to, to have you come with me.  I was frustrated and upset." He admitted.  "I had begun to realize that I had some...pretty strong feelings for you but you were pushing me away before I even had a chance to do anything about them.  I sound like I'm trying to justify my actions." He shook his head as he rolled his eyes at himself.  "But I'm not."

"What actions?" Aubrey asked hesitantly.  

"I went to a club that night with some friends of mine." He continued.  "I was drinking and someone had brought some pot.  I...got a little high." He admitted.  "There was a girl there that I ended up leaving with."  Aubrey pulled her hand from his as he continued.  "I slept with her." He told her.  "I don't remember much but the next morning when I woke up in that hotel room..." He hung his head.  He couldn't look at the disappointment in Aubrey's eyes any longer.  "I snuck out before she woke up, hoping I could just forget the whole thing and life could go back to how it was supposed to be." He said.  "And it did." He finally looked up at her.  "For a little while.  You came back into my life and things have been...incredible this last month.  I don't know how to tell you how I've been feeling these last few weeks without it sounding like a desperate plea to get you to stay with me right now."

"Just get to the point, Justin." Aubrey said.

"I came home yesterday morning from taking Buckley and Brennan for a run and turned on the TV only to find out that, Nikki," he spit her name out in disgust.  "Was claiming--for all the world to see and hear--that I," he put a hand to his chest.  "Am the father of her baby."

"Are you?" She asked, her eyes watching him intently.

"It's possible." He nodded.  "But I won't know for sure until a paternity test can be done."

"And when will that be?" Aubrey questioned. 

"I don't know." He told her honestly.  "I'm meeting with her and both of our lawyers Tuesday morning."  She nodded as she turned and looked away from him--her eyes focused on something out in front of her.  Her expression was unreadable at the moment and Justin wished he could see inside her head; hear her thoughts.  He needed to know what she was thinking--what she was feeling.

"I need to go home." She said finally as she stood up.  Justin stood as well, his heart beating painfully in his chest.  She wasn't giving him a sign either way here and he was at odds as to what he could say or do to sway things in his favor.  They walked silently back to where he'd parked the truck and sat side by side in the cab as he drove back to her parent's house equally as silent.  Several times he opened his mouth to say something to her, but each time the words died in his throat.  He was afraid that whatever else he said might push her farther away from him. 

She just needs some time to process it all.  He told himself as he turned onto her street.  We can finish talking about it tomorrow. 

"Are you still flying back to California tomorrow morning?" He asked, trying not to sound too hopeful as he pulled up to the curb in front of her parent's house. 

"I don't know." Aubrey replied as she unbuckled her seat belt and opened her door.  She paused before she got out and he thought maybe she was going to say something encouraging.  "I'll call you." She said simply then hopped out. 

Justin watched as she walked up to the front door and disappeared inside--what little restraint he had on his emotions disappearing with her.  He leaned over, his forehead resting against the steering wheel, and closed his eyes.  He'd never felt so alone and helpless in his entire life.  Who did he have left to turn to?  His mother was disappointed in him, his best friend was angry with him, and the woman he was falling in love with had just walked away from him--giving him no guarantee he'd ever see her again. 

After sitting there wallowing in self-pity for a few minutes he finally sat up, wiping his face with his hands.  He squared his shoulders and took a deep breath.  He was done feeling sorry for himself.  Crying over what had happened wasn't going to change anything.  He couldn't go back in time.  He'd made his bed and now he had to sleep in it.

~~~~~~

"I don't understand you." Aubrey's mother said Monday morning.  "You were all frantic yesterday trying to find a flight back to California and now you don't want to go back?  What's going on?"

"I don't want to talk about it." Aubrey replied as she picked at the eggs on her plate with her fork. 

"Don't question it, Michelle." Aubrey's father replied from behind his newspaper.  "You're always saying how you wish she'd come home and now that she doesn't want to leave you're pushing her out the door."  He lowered the corner of the newspaper, as he reached out and picked up his coffee mug.  "She can stay as long as she wants." Henry Davis said, giving his daughter a wink.

"Thanks, Dad." Aubrey smiled.

"I'm just confused." Her mother said sitting down across the table from Aubrey.  "That's all."

Me too. Aubrey thought as she turned her attention back to her eggs.  She'd stayed up most of the night-Justin's confession replaying in her mind over and over again.  The revelation about what had happened between him and Britney wasn't what was making her hesitant about going back to California though.  That had happened so long ago and she knew Britney wasn't going to cause any trouble between them.  This new girl, however, could and was.

She knew she didn't have grounds to be upset with Justin--they hadn't been dating at the time it had all happened--but she was.  She was mad and she was disappointed in him.  She'd realized, sometime during the night, that she'd put him up on a kind of pedestal because of who he was, and dealing with the fact that he was human and made mistakes like everyone else was a bitter pill to swallow.  Her own insecurities and feelings of inadequacy were also staring her in the face and she could finally admit that she was jealous.

When he'd been telling her everything last night all she could think about was the fact that those two girls had been and were experiencing something she never would.  She would never know what it felt like to know she was having Justin's baby--or anyone's baby for that matter!  Though their relationship was still developing and they hadn't come close to even thinking about discussing having kids, she couldn't offer him that possibility even if he wanted it.  She knew he would make a wonderful father if given the opportunity and it hurt to know she was unable to give him what these girls could so easily.

And without even wanting to, too.  She thought bitterly as she recalled what Justin had told her Britney had done.  Her fame had been more important to her than anything else, and Aubrey knew this other girl was going to milk the publicity that would come her way for all it was worth--no matter the havoc she was wreaking in Justin's life.  And it wasn't just him.  This whole thing was going to affect the rest of the guys as well.  What was going to happen with their reunion plans?

"Hmmm...that's interesting."

Aubrey looked up in surprise as Michael suddenly slid a section of the newspaper across the tale to her.  When did he get up?  She wondered as her eyes dropped to the paper--her fork falling from her hand.  The top story in the Entertainment section?  "Timberlake Paternity Suit."  Aubrey looked up and met her brother's searching gaze.

"What?" Their mother asked.

"Oh nothing." Michael replied.  "Just some stupid celebrity who's gotten himself involved in a paternity suit."

"He's not stupid." Aubrey said under her breath as she read the article that had been written about the situation.  Michael let out a snort of disagreement as he drank his coffee.

"So are you staying or going back?" Michelle asked Aubrey, going back to their original topic of conversation.  "I just need to know so I can plan the rest of my day."

"I'm sorry I'm such a burden." Aubrey replied in frustration and irritation as she put the paper down and stood.  "Plan your day." She told her mother.  "If I decide to leave I'll find my own way to the airport." She said as she turned and left. 

"Aubrey Janae!" Her mother called after her, but she ignored her as she walked out the front door and down the front walkway.  With a groan of frustration she sat down on the curb and covered her face with her hands as the tears she'd been holding back since last night finally overwhelmed her.  Someone came and sat down beside her silently and Aubrey leaned over--putting her head against her brother's shoulder--and continued crying as he put his arms around her.  She lost track of the time but when her tears finally quieted, Aubrey remained leaning against Michael. 

"You already knew, didn't you?" He asked. 

Aubrey nodded against him.  "That's why he came last night." She said.  "To tell me."

"Do you love him?" He asked.  Again Aubrey nodded.  "What are you going to do?"

Aubrey sat up, using her sleeves to wipe the tears from her face.  "I don't know." She replied--her voice raw from crying.  "I don't know what to do." She said running her hands through her hair.  She put her arms around her legs and rested her chin on top of her knees.  "I never thought..." She paused.  "It's ironic how life turns out sometimes, huh?" She mused.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

Aubrey sighed.  "I mean, who would have thought that I would one day wind up dating and falling in love with one of the biggest celebrities in the world?"

"Why do you love him?" Michael asked.

Aubrey thought for a moment.  "It's hard to explain." She finally replied.  "It's like...when I'm with him the pieces in my life--in my soul--that I didn't know were missing are suddenly put back into place."

"It's not because he brought sexy back?" Michael teased.

"No." Aubrey laughed.  "Though that is a plus, I'm not going to lie." She smiled at her brother, thankful for him and the way he had of making her laugh even when she was upset.  "But I don't love him because of how he kisses me.  I love him because of how he makes me feel even when he isn't kissing me.  I've gotten to know him over the last six months and I--"

"Six months?!" Michael exclaimed in surprise.  "I thought you were with Andrew earlier this year."

"I was.  Justin and I haven't been dating for six months." She clarified.  "We started out as friends and because of that I've gotten to know him.  He's smart and funny.  He owns several different and successful businesses.  He makes me laugh all the time with his goofy sense of humor and love for life.  He's a world famous superstar yet he's still just a normal, down to earth guy.  If you met him on the street and didn't know who he was you'd never know he was famous.  He makes a ridiculous amount of money but he's not afraid to get his hands dirty." She paused in her explanation to her brother.

"But?" Michael asked, sensing her hesitancy.

"But..." Aubrey sighed.  "I don't understand why he wants to be with me." She finally admitted.

"Because you're amazing." He replied. 

"You're my brother." Aubrey told him with a roll of her eyes.  "You're supposed to say things like that."

"That doesn't make it any less true." He said.  "Look, I'll admit when I found out who ‘Justin' was," he made quotation marks in the air with his fingers, "last night I was worried about you and what you were getting yourself into.  But the fact that the guy flew out here so he could tell you what was going on himself should tell you something about his feelings for you.  He didn't want you to find out by reading the paper or watching TV. He wanted to tell you himself."  Michael tightened his arms around her in a hug.  "You can't help who you fall in love with." He continued.  "But once you do it's up to you to fight to hang on to that love.  Instead of sitting here questioning why Justin wants to be with you, you need to decide if you want the love he's offering and what you're willing to do to keep it."

Aubrey looked at him in amazement.  "When did you suddenly become so wise and all knowing about love?" She asked.

Michael laughed.  "I just spent two years in the desert." He replied.  "I had a lot of time to myself to think."  Aubrey chuckled.  "But now it looks like its time for you to think." He said standing.  "What do you want and how much are you willing to fight for it?"

~~~~~~

Justin tapped his pen against the top of the table he was sitting at Tuesday morning--his leg bouncing nervously as he waited for the meeting between himself, Nikki, and their respective lawyers to begin.  He picked up his cell phone from where he'd set it on the conference room table at Parker & Hopkins, Law Firm, hoping against hope that he'd somehow missed a call or text from Aubrey in the five minutes since he'd checked last. 

No missed calls and no text messages.

He pushed back from the table in frustration and began pacing around the room.  She'd told him she would call but she hadn't yet.  After driving her back to her parent's house Sunday might, he'd driven back to the airport and flown home--determined to face the music. 

He turned as the door opened behind him.  Nikki pranced in, followed by a man whom he assumed to be her lawyer.  She stopped when she saw him.

"You are a hard man to get a hold of." She smiled sweetly, but he could see the calculating look in her eyes. 

No doubt wondering how much she can get out of me.  He thought.  He'd learned enough in his years in the business to know when to keep his mouth shut.  He wasn't going to say anything until his lawyer was in the room.  His eyes traveled over her as he remained quiet.  She didn't look pregnant but when did women start to look like they were having a baby?  He had no idea. 

"Sorry I'm late." Richard Parker, Justin's lawyer, said as he came into the room.  "Let's get started." He said as everyone took a seat around the table--Nikki and her lawyer on one side, Justin and Richard on the other.  "Due to obvious reasons, we want to keep this all as clean and quiet as possible."

"I just want to make sure my baby is taken care of." Nikki interrupted as she put a hand to her stomach.  "I tried to get a hold of Justin to get this settled just between us but--"

"Nicole." Her lawyer said in warning.  She looked over at him and became quiet.

"Can we continue?" Richard asked, looking at the two people sitting across from him.  They both nodded.  "Alright." He said taking some papers from the manila folder he'd placed on the table in front of him.  "As I was saying, we want to keep this all as clean and quiet as possible.  This is the contract we've drawn up and that we'd like for you to sign and agree to."  He cleared his throat and Justin looked down at his clasped hands resting on the table top as Richard began reading from the documents in his hands.  "Mr. Timberlake is not responsible for paying any child support until the paternity of the child is proven.  At the time that paternity is determined, by a court approved paternity test, and it is confirmed that Justin Randall Timberlake is the biological father of Nicole Ashley Wilson's child he will then pay fifty percent of all medical--"

"A hundred percent." Justin interrupted looking up at Nikki.

His lawyer looked at him in question.  "Justin, we talked about this.  What are you...you don't have to--"

"I want to." Justin said.  "If the baby's mine...I'll pay for all the medical costs past and future."

Richard cleared his throat as he picked up a pen and making note of the change Justin had made.  "Alright.  Then, when it is confirmed that Mr. Timberlake is the biological father he will then pay one hundred percent of all medical expenses related to pre-natal and natal care past and future.  Miss Wilson must also agree not to talk to any media outlet without either Mr. Timberlake or myself present.  If she does..."

Justin tuned out as Richard continued reading.  He'd been emailed a copy of the contract yesterday to look over so he knew what everything else entailed.  Nikki wasn't allowed to talk to anyone about the baby until paternity was proven.  If he was the father he would then owe Nikki child support until the child was eighteen and would be granted partial custody.  If it was proven that he wasn't the father, Nikki wouldn't be given any monetary reimbursement and agreed to no longer mention Justin's name in association with her pregnancy and child.

When the document had been read in its entirety and everyone agreed to the terms, Richard passed the document to Justin who signed it and then passed it across to Nikki.

"When can a paternity test be done?" Justin asked.

"At fourteen weeks." Richard replied.  "I checked and there's a clinic just down--"

"I don't know if I can do that." Nikki spoke up, her pen hovering above the document she had yet to sign. 

"What do you mean?" Justin asked.

"I head that those tests can cause a miscarriage." She told him.  "I don't know if I want to risk that, do you?"

"Is that true?" Justin asked his lawyer.

"There is a slight risk, yes." Richard nodded.  "But it's nothing to be concerned about." He assured Justin.  "Miss Wilson, if you don't get the test done right now, you'll have to pay for everything until the baby is born." He reminded her.  "We won't be paying anything until paternity is proven.  So it's your choice.  Get the test done in a few weeks and not have to pay for anything else, or wait the entire nine months and have to pay for all medical costs yourself."

She looked over at her lawyer who bent his head and whispered something in her ear.  "We'll have the test done as soon as possible." He replied.  "Sign the document." He instructed Nikki.  She pouted, as she put the pen to the paper and scrawled her name across the appointed line. 

"Are we done?" Justin asked. 

"Yes." Richard nodded as he gathered the papers from Nikki.  "I'll make copies and have one sent to each of you." He said as everyone stood.  "Remember that whenever you have the test done, it must be done by a court approved testing center." He said.

"Let Richard know what you need from me and when." Justin told Nikki as he opened the door.  He had to get out of that conference room.  He felt like he was suffocating--like his entire life was being flushed down the toilet.  He didn't know how he was going to do this by himself.  How in the world was he going to deal with all the backlash this was going to cause?  How was he--

Justin came around the corner and stopped, his mind refusing to accept what he was seeing as his eyes connected with hers. 

Aubrey stood up from the chair in the lobby she'd been sitting in and his heart jumped in his chest.  He suddenly felt like crying; like curling up and bawling like a baby.  She'd come back!  He didn't know how she knew where he'd be and frankly he didn't care.   All that mattered was that she was standing in front of him right now, looking unbelievably gorgeous in her khaki pedal pushers, flip flops and light pink T-shirt.  He walked towards her and, without a word spoken between them, wrapped his arms around her--holding onto her tightly--vowing to never let her go again.  "You came back." He whispered.

"You sure move on quickly."

Justin let go of Aubrey and turned around at Nikki's statement. 

"Careful, honey." She told Aubrey, putting a hand to her stomach.  "Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into with this one." She said, pointing at Justin. 

"I do." Aubrey replied as she slipped her hand into Justin's.  He looked down at their entwined fingers then back up at her.  "But thanks for the advice." Aubrey continued.

"He'll love you than leave you but don't say I didn't warn you." Nikki said with a shrug as she left the building. 

"I'm sorry." Justin apologized.  "She's--"

"There are about a dozen guys with cameras waiting for you outside." Aubrey told him matter of factly.  "Think you can ditch them?"

"Eventually." He replied, his brow furrowing slightly.  "Why?"  He asked.  Aubrey looked at him for a moment, her eyes searching his though her expression was unreadable.  He had no idea what was going through her head at the moment and it was driving him insane.  He needed to know where he stood with her.  He'd been feeling so alone and helpless the last few days to then walk out and find her waiting for him had thrown him from dejection to elation in a matter of seconds.  He didn't know how much longer he could ride this emotional roller coaster.  He needed to know if he was alone in this or if he'd been granted a miracle and she was going to stand by him and be there for him.

"Grams is in San Francisco right now visiting a friend." Aubrey told him and hope flared in his chest.  "If you can ditch the paparazzi outside and meet me back home we can talk."

"Give me thirty minutes." He told her.  She nodded and he gave her fingers a squeeze before releasing her hand and walking outside.

 ~~~~~~

Aubrey's heart jumped and began fluttering nervously in her chest as someone knocked on the front door.  She had no idea how this conversation between herself and Justin was going to go.  All she knew was that when he'd seen her this morning--his eyes registering shock and relief at the same time--she knew she'd done the right thing in coming back.  She'd taken Michael's advice and thought long and hard about what she wanted and what she was willing to do to get it. 

When Rachel had picked her up at the airport a few hours ago and asked how her weekend with her family had been, Aubrey had found herself telling Rachel all about Justin showing up and how conflicted she'd been since he'd told her what had happened.  Rachel had then succinctly told her that Aubrey should surprise him at his lawyer's office.

"I can't do that!" Aubrey had exclaimed, her heart beating as nervously as it was now.

"Of course you can." Rachel told her matter of factly.

"I don't even know where his lawyer's office is, or if he even wants to see me." Aubrey continued.

"That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard." Rachel replied, looking at her pointedly.  "Of course he'll want to see you!  He wouldn't have flown all the way out to Virginia if he didn't care about you."

Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she had turned and looked out her window.  "I don't know where his lawyer's office is." She said again, turning to look at Rachel again.

Her friend smiled brightly.  "Well, it's a good thing I'm engaged to Justin's best friend and they use the same firm, huh?" Rachel winked at her.

Aubrey took a deep breath as Justin rang the doorbell.  She'd been unbelievably nervous as she'd been sitting in the lobby of Parker and Hopkins waiting for Justin--wondering what his reaction would be when he saw her.  When he'd come around the corner her heart had leapt into her throat at the sudden and obvious way his eyes had lit up when he'd seen her.  And when he'd wrapped his arms around her tightly--clinging to her almost desperately--her heart had gone out to him and confirmed to her what she'd already known.  She had made the right decision.

With a trembling hand she reached out and opened the door.

~~~~~~

Justin's eyes met Aubrey's as she opened the door of her grandmother's house and he'd never seen anything more beautiful than she was right now.  Her hair hung down around her shoulders, softly framing her face and her eyes met his timidly as if she didn't know what to expect from him.  She smiled hesitantly at him as she held the door open and stepped back, allowing him to walk inside. 

As she closed the door behind them and turned to look at him he did something he'd wanted to do since walking out into the lobby earlier to find her waiting for him.  Knowing she'd come back after having every excuse not to, made him feel like he could suddenly conquer the world.  He knew he could get through anything as long as she was by his side. 

Taking the step that separated them Justin wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against him, kissing her beautiful mouth.  Pressing her back against the door his lips moved against hers slowly at first but deliberately, hoping to convey to her the depth of his passion and the feelings he had for her.  It had been almost a week since he'd been able to kiss her like this and in that week everything had changed.  His world had been completely turned upside down and the only thing providing any sort of stability at all for him was this woman. 

As the exchange between them started to heat up, Aubrey wound her arms around his neck, a soft moan escaping from her as he tilted his head to the side-deepening the kiss.  Aubrey ran her fingers along the sensitive skin at the base of his neck, her lips tugging at his greedily as she matched his pace and enthusiasm.  Justin silently thanked God for the chance he had to hold her once again and to finally say the things he'd been holding inside the last few days.

When she finally tore her lips from his, desperately seeking oxygen, Justin pulled back and just looked at her--his chest rising and falling deeply.  His eyes traced every line of her beautiful face, every familiar and adorable freckle across her nose, every fleck of gold in her mesmerizing eyes.  She was incredible and she was his!  His heart leapt at the thought.  He knew he didn't deserve her--that fact was now painfully obvious for the entire world to see--but he was going to do everything in his power to hopefully, one day, prove himself worthy of her affection.  Even if it took him the rest of his life. 

"I love you." He said, the words escaping his lips before he could stop them.  Aubrey's breath caught as she looked at him in surprise.  He lifted one hand and brushed his fingertips along her cheekbone, softly caressing her skin.  "I love you." He repeated, with all the energy and conviction he possessed.  Her eyes filled with tears.  "I know this isn't the most romantic time or place to tell you this, but it's true."  He continued his heart swelling in his chest with everything he felt for her.  "And I want you to know.  When I watched you walk away from me Sunday night, not knowing if I would ever see you again, I fell apart." He confessed.  "I didn't..." his voice cracked with emotion and he paused. 

Swallowing, he leaned forward, pressing his lips to Aubrey's forehead.  He closed his eyes as he then rested his forehead against hers--their noses brushing as their breath mingled.  "I didn't know how I was going to get through this without you." He told her quietly.  He heard her whimper softly and pulled back to look at her once more.  Lifting his other hand to her face he used his thumbs to smudge away her tears.  "You had every reason in the world to stay in Virginia and I wouldn't have blamed you if you never wanted to speak to me again.  Why did you come back?" He asked, his eyes searching hers intently.

"I had to." She replied quietly, her eyes holding his.  "I thought about everything you told me." She said as he lowered his hands and pulled back slightly.  He watched as she looked down at her feet for a moment then back up at him.  "After my brother talked some sense into me I knew I had to come back."  She put a hand to his face and Justin turned his head slightly, pressing his lips to her palm.  "My heart wouldn't let me do anything else." She continued quietly.  "You can't help who you fall in love with." She smiled softly at him as she put her arms around his neck.  "And I've fallen in love with you." She whispered softly.

Justin wrapped his arms around Aubrey, hugging her close as the weight that had be pressing down on him the last few days was literally lifted off his shoulders.  "What did I do to deserve you?" He wondered aloud as he released her again.  She smiled at him as she went up on her toes to press her lips against his.

"Come on." She said taking his hand.  "Although it's only just after noon, I've been up since about four, Virginia time, which would have been about one a.m. here.  I'm exhausted.  If I don't sit down I might fall over."

"You want me to carry you?" Justin offered as they walked into the Family Room.

"Hmmm...tempting." She grinned at him.  "But no.  I'm okay." She said as she sat down on the couch.  Justin sat down beside her and put his arm around her as she muffled a yawn.  "If I fall asleep on you, I'm sorry." She said with a laugh.

"You don't have to apologize." He chuckled as he kissed her temple--pulling her closer.  "And you can fall asleep on me whenever you want." He confided in an exaggerated whisper.  Aubrey smiled at him then laid her head on his shoulder.

"How come you're not at work right now?" He asked.

"I called in yesterday and told them I had a family emergency and I needed to extend my time--off until Friday." She told him as she drew her legs up beneath her and snuggled against him more. 

"They were okay with that?" He asked.

"Yeah." She nodded.  "But I guess we'll find out for sure if I still have a job on Monday."    

"If you lose your job because of me I'm going to--"

"You'll what?" She asked sitting up and looking at him.  "Have to take care of me?  Yep." She nodded.

"Aubrey..."

"Relax." She laughed.  "I'm teasing you.  I'm not going to lose my job.  I have enough vacation time saved up, don't worry about it." She assured him.  "Besides, they wouldn't survive without me.  I run that place.  They may take me for granted, but whenever I'm gone they quickly realize just how much I do as the receptionist."

Justin laughed as he stretched his long legs out, putting his feet up on the coffee table.  Aubrey snuggled back against him and he placed a kiss to the top of her head.  He wanted to just stay like this forever with her.  Why couldn't they ignore the rest of the world--especially Nikki and the claim she now had on him?  But he knew why they couldn't.  They had a lot they needed to talk about; a lot that needed to be discussed and figured out and ignoring the problems facing them weren't going to make them go away.  Just as he was about to bring the unpleasant topic up, Aubrey opened her mouth and beat him to it.

"What's going to happen?" She asked his quietly.

Justin let out a heavy sigh.  "A media frenzy." He replied honestly.  "I hope you're ready." 

Chapter 19 by azchickadee
August

"Hollywood has been buzzing the last few days over the allegation that Justin Timberlake may be the father of this woman--Nicole Wilson's--unborn child.  Timberlake--who has recently been photographed around town with a different woman, whom sources are saying is his new girlfriend--has been quiet about the paternity suit that was filed against him last weekend, refusing to answer our calls.   

"Is Justin following in the footsteps of his former band mate, Joey Fatone, and adding a new title to his growing list of monikers?  Is Mr. SexyBack about to become a daddy?"

~~~~~~~

"Have you and JC set a date yet?" Aubrey asked Rachel a week later as they were waiting for their lunch.  Since Rachel had quit working at Adams & Richards, she and Aubrey met for lunch once a week.

"May eighth." Rachel replied with a smile.  "Which reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you if you would be one of my bridesmaids."

Aubrey looked at her friend in surprise.  "You want me to be a bridesmaid?" She asked.  "Really?"

"Of course I do, silly." Rachel replied.  "You're the best friend I have here in California.  Plus, you're dating Justin who's going to be JC's best man so it would be weird if you weren't a bridesmaid." Rachel told her, making Aubrey laugh.  "Plus, I need you.  You're like my..." she pursed her lips in thought and Aubrey watched her, not at all sure what she was thinking or going to say.  "You're like my ‘California Megan!'"

"What?" Aubrey laughed, taken back.  "Your ‘California Megan?'"

"Absolutely!" Rachel nodded.  "Megan's obviously going to be my Maid of Honor, but she's not here so I need you to stand in and be her right now." 

"What does that mean?" Aubrey asked.

"You know." Rachel said, picking up her fork as their waitress brought the Oriental Chicken Salads they'd both ordered.  "You come with me to try on dresses, help me pick out flowers and taste different cakes.  What do you think?"  She took a bite of her salad and looked at Aubrey expectantly.

"Sounds fun." Aubrey replied, still surprised that Rachel had put her up on the top of her list of friends with Megan.  "But I don't know how I'm going to have time to do any of that." She said, taking a bite of her salad.

"What do you mean?" Rachel asked.

Aubrey sighed as she sat back in her chair.  "Well, unlike you now a days, I still have a full-time job, plus I'm still teaching swim lessons on Saturdays.  I'm starting classes up again in a few weeks, and with everything going on with Justin..." She shook her head.  "Things are a little crazy right now."

"Perfect!" Rachel grinned.  "You're going to need something to take your mind off of everything and this will be the perfect thing!"  She took another bite.  "Plus, JC isn't going to want to come with me.  He could care less about all this planning stuff.  He's a guy.  Plus he's too busy with his music and with the group getting together.  I need someone to come with me.  It's no fun planning your wedding by yourself."

"Okay, okay!" Aubrey laughed.  "I give up."

"Yea!" Rachel exclaimed excitedly as she got her way. 

"What are we doing first?" Aubrey asked, shaking her head at Rachel's reaction.

"Dresses!" Rachel replied with a huge smile.  "What are you doing Saturday afternoon?" 

~~~~~~

Aubrey came out of the dressing room at the Aquatic Center late Saturday morning after teaching her classes.  Running a hand through her semi-dried hair, she hiked her duffle bag higher on her shoulder and stopped--a smile coming to her face at the adorable scene before her. 

~~~~~~

"Alright, guys." Justin said as he sat at the table surrounded by several kids who'd come out of the pool area.  He'd come by to surprise Aubrey but had had to wait for her as she was in the dressing room.  So, he bought a package of Oreos from the vending machine and a small carton of milk from the café inside the Community Center.  A cute little girl with dark hair and big brown eyes had come and sat down next to him.  He'd silently offered her one of the cookies and she'd taken it--giving him a shy smile.  She swung her legs in her chair as she sat, watching him silently while she ate.  Before long, several other kids showed up, each of them taking a seat at his table. 

Justin passed out all of the cookies he had then, telling the kids he'd be right back, he went and purchased a few more packages of Oreos from the vending machine and a carton of milk for each of the kids.

"Do you guys know how to properly dunk an Oreo?" Justin asked as he passed everything out.

"No." One of the boys said, while the rest of them shook their heads-silently watching him.

"Okay." He said.  "First, open your milk like this." He said opening the cardboard carton at both ends.  "Now," he said, once all the kids had done so.  "Take a cookie." He picked one up.  Each of the kids copied him--holding up their cookies and watching him with curious eyes.  "And you dunk it in the milk for seven seconds.  No more.  No less." He said.  "Ready?"  All the kids nodded.  "One." He said, putting his cookie in his milk.  "Two." He smiled as they all started counting along with him to seven.  "Now, you can eat it." He said, putting his Oreo in his mouth.  "Perfect, right?" He asked as each of the kids ate their cookie.  They all nodded at him, the little girl who had been his original companion smiled brightly at him. 

"Miss Aubrey!" She suddenly exclaimed as she jumped down from her chair.  Justin turned and smiled, watching as the little girl ran over to Aubrey and grabbed her hand.  "He was sitting at our table but he's nice." The little girl said, pointing at Justin.

"Is he?" Aubrey asked with a smile, giving Justin a wink then turning her attention back to the child as she was tugged towards the table. 

"Uh-huh." The little girl nodded.  "We were waiting for you, and he bought us Oreos and he's showing us the perfect way to eat them!"

"I didn't know there was a perfect way to eat an Oreo." Aubrey said, sitting down and pulling the little girl up on her lap.

Justin watched Aubrey, smiling at the easy way she interacted with the kids and how they reacted to her.  She's a natural.  He thought.  She'll make a great teacher.  He mused.  And a mother.  He smiled at the thought, watching as Aubrey talked with the kids.

"There's my mom!" The little girl said, jostling Justin from his thoughts as she jumped off Aubrey's lap.  "Bye, Miss Aubrey." She said giving Aubrey a hug. 

"Bye, sweetie." Aubrey said.  "I'll see you next week."

"I know who you are." One of the little boys at the table said to Justin as he ate his last cookie--chocolate covering his face.  The boy had been staring at Justin since he'd come to join the group. 

"You do?" Justin asked as he leaned back in his chair, cocking his head to the side as he looked at the kid.

"Uh-huh." The boy nodded, his eyes focused on his milk.

"Who am I?" Justin asked, curious on if the kid really did know who he was.  He couldn't be more than seven.  How in the world did a seven year old know who he was?

"You're Justin Timberlake." The boy said as he fidgeted in his seat.  Justin quirked one brow up as he looked over at Aubrey.  "My sister thinks you're hot."  He continued.  Aubrey chuckled quietly as the boy continued.  "She has pictures of you up in her room and she always watches you on TV."

"Is that so?" Justin asked.

"Yup." The boy nodded.

"Your sister...is she coming to pick you up today?" Justin asked hesitantly.

"Nope." The kid shook his head.  "Boy is she going to be mad when I tell her!" He giggled.

"There's your grandma, Keaton." Aubrey told the boy who quickly drank the rest of his milk, wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and left.  One by one the kids were all picked up, soon leaving Aubrey and Justin alone at the table. 

"So are you going to share your secret on the perfect way to eat an Oreo?" Aubrey asked with a smile as she scooted her chair next to his then leaned across the table and kissed him. 

"Seven seconds." He said, tucking some hair behind her ear as he gave her another kiss.

"Seven seconds?" Aubrey questioned and he nodded.  "And how did you come to this discovery?" She asked, putting her elbow up on the table and resting her chin in her hand.

"Extensive scientific research." He replied with a grin.

"Is that what you did while you were on tour all the time?" Aubrey asked with a teasing grin.  "Figure out how long to dunk an Oreo without it turning into mush?"

"What else was I supposed to do trapped on a bus for hours on end every night?" He replied with a chuckle.  Aubrey reached over and took the last Oreo he had in front of him.  He watched as she twisted the cook apart and ate the white filling.  "It was either that or watch Dumb and Dumber with Chris for the five millionth time."  Aubrey laughed.  "Do you always wait here with the kids, Miss Aubrey?" He asked changing the topic.

"Yep." She nodded eating the now filling-less cookie halves.

"Carla keeps an eye on them while I'm getting changed," she pointed to the older woman running the cash register at the café.  "Then I wait with them till they all get picked up."

"You're really good with them." He told her.  "I can tell they really love you." He watched as her cheeks warmed.

"Thanks." She replied.

"I'd have been in love with you too at their age." He confided, reaching for and taking her hand.  "If I'd had a teacher as beautiful as you as a kid..." he shook his head and smiled.  "Girl, I would have had a crush on you..." He tsked.  Aubrey laughed as she nudged him with her shoulder.  She stood up and he followed suit, wrapping his arms around her.  Aubrey put her arm around his waist as he moved to her side--keeping an arm around her shoulders. 

"You know what I'm craving right now?" Aubrey asked as they walked outside.

"Me?" He asked.

"Besides that." Aubrey laughed, bumping him with her hip. 

"What?" He asked as they walked towards the parking lot. 

"Barbeque." She replied.

"What?" He questioned with a confused chuckle.

"Mmm." She nodded. "Some really good ribs."

Justin lifted one brow.  "Okay." He replied.  "Let's go.  I'll make you some."

"You're going to make me some?" Aubrey pulled back in surprise.

"Yeah." He nodded.

"You know how to cook?"

"I'm a Southern boy!" He reminded her.  "Of course I know how to cook.  Especially barbeque."

Aubrey looked at him for a moment, her lips finally turned up.  "Okay." She smiled.  "But I'm going with Rachel to look at dresses this afternoon." She reminded him.

"Oh yeah." He said, frowning.  "I forgot.  How about tonight?"

"Tonight I'm free." She said as they approached her SUV. 

"Good."  He said, giving her a kiss.  "After you're done with Rachel," again he kissed her.  "Come over to the house and I'll make you dinner." He finished, his lips moving against hers.

"It's a date." Aubrey smiled as she put her arms around his neck.  "It better be good." She said as she kissed him. 

"Baby, it'll be very good." He replied with an arrogant smirk--a suggestive glint in his blue eyes. 

Aubrey laughed as she playfully hit his chest.  "Pretty sure of yourself aren't you, Superstar?" She asked.

"Well, I did bring sexy back." He replied.  "I think I can manage to cook up some damn barbeque for my woman and it'll be good, don't you worry."

"I'll be the judge on how good it is." Aubrey said, stepping back from him and opening her door.  "I'll call you when we're done." She told him, kissing him once more before getting into the vehicle.

"Okay." He said, holding the door for her.  "Have fun." 

~~~~~~

"What do you think of this one?" Rachel asked, coming out of the dressing room in the fifth wedding dress of the afternoon, and stood in front of the full length mirror set up.

"Uh..." Aubrey hesitated, cocking her head to the side as she studied Rachel.  "I don't know."

"Ugh!" Rachel replied, throwing her arms out to her sides.  "Who knew picking a wedding dress would be so hard?" She laughed.  Aubrey chuckled.  "When Jace and I first started dating," Rachel said, turning to face Aubrey.  "I had this dream that I was getting married--"

"To JC?" Aubrey interrupted her.

"No." Rachel shook her head.  She leaned towards Aubrey and whispered.  "To Justin."

"What?" Aubrey laughed. 

Rachel shrugged.  "Sorry." She said with a smile.

"It's okay." Aubrey said. 

"So anyway, I was wearing this awful wedding dress!" Rachel continued as she began looking at the other dresses hanging on the rack in front of them--the satin material of the dress she was wearing rustling. 

"What did it look like?" Aubrey asked.

Rachel turned to look at her.  "It was strapless and the bodice was fitted but then the skirt was this huge, full monstrosity but it only went down to my ankles." She made a face and Aubrey chuckled.  "And then I was wearing these horrible white heeled sandals with straps that wound all the way up my legs."  By the time she was done explaining both girls were giggling.

"Are you interested in trying on another dress?"

Rachel and Aubrey both turned to look at the saleswoman who approached them. 

"Yes." Rachel said pulling a soft, strapless, champagne colored dress from the rack.  She looked at it for a second, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth.  "I think this one just might be the one." She smiled, her eyes glittering excitedly.

Aubrey sat down in the chair outside the dressing room as Rachel disappeared again.  "Are you and JC writing your own vows?" She asked, leaning her head back against the chair and looked up at the ceiling.

"What?" Rachel called back. 

"Are you guys writing your own vows?" Aubrey asked again. 

"Uh..." Rachel drawled.  "I...I don't know." She replied.  "I hadn't thought about it and frankly I don't have time to think about it right now." She said coming out of the dressing room.  "There are so many other things I have to worry about and get done right now..." She smiled at Aubrey.  "What do you think?" She asked, twirling slightly.

Aubrey stood up.  "It's beautiful!"  She told Rachel. 

"I know." Rachel said looking at herself in the mirror, a serene smile on her face.

"It's perfect!" Aubrey continued.

Rachel turned around, her smile widening.  "I know!"  She looked down at herself, then back at the mirror.  "This is it." She said.  "This is the one."  Both of them laughed excitedly. 

"What do you think of that one?" The same saleswoman from before asked Rachel.

"I love it!" Rachel exclaimed.  "I'll take it!"

"Rachel!" Aubrey exclaimed with a laugh.

"What?" Rachel asked, looking at her. 

"You're not getting married till May!" Aubrey reminded her.  "And this is the first time we've gone looking at dresses!" 

"So?" Rachel asked putting her hands on her hips.  "This is the dress I want.  I'm not going to find another one like this and if I don't get it now I'm going to regret it."

"Alright..." Aubrey replied.  "If you're sure."

"I am." Rachel nodded with a smile.  "I'll take it!"

~~~~~~

Aubrey smoothed her hand down the front of her shirt as she knocked on Justin's front door Saturday evening.  After Rachel had purchased the dress she'd decided was the one she "had to have," the girls had gone to a few more dress shops looking at bridesmaid dresses.  Although it had been fun spending time with Rachel and she was excited for her friend, what Aubrey wasn't excited about was wearing a bridesmaid dress.  Everyone they'd looked at, and Rachel had made her try on, had made her feel even more self-conscience about her weight and body shape.  I need to go on a diet.  Aubrey had thought several times that afternoon.  And what am I eating tonight?  Barbeque!  That's going to help.  She thought sarcastically, but smiled as Justin opened the door.

"Hey, pretty girl." He smiled, wrapping his arms around her and giving her a kiss as she walked inside.

"Hi." She replied when he finally released her.  "Something smells good." She told him, sniffing the air appreciatively--the smell of barbeque filling the house made her mouth water. 

"Told you I could cook." He replied smugly.  Aubrey chuckled as she followed him back towards the kitchen.  "How did it go today?" He asked.

"Good." Aubrey told him.  "Rachel bought a dress."

"Already?" Justin questioned.  "The wedding's what?  A year away?"

"Nine months." Aubrey corrected him as she leaned back against the counter.  "I asked her if she really wanted to buy it so soon and she said yes; said she'd regret it if she didn't."

"That's Rachel for you." Justin replied as he opened the oven door and pulled out the pan of ribs he'd been cooking.  "If I had to pick three words to describe her, ‘Impulsive' would be on the top of that list."

"Do you need help?" Aubrey asked as he turned to face her. 

"Nope.  Let's go eat." He said, jerking his head to the side and turning towards the table. 

Aubrey followed him, pleasantly surprised at the spread laid out before her.  Ribs, mashed potatoes, a salad and something that looked like it was deep fried but she couldn't tell what it was right away.  "Everything smells delicious." She told him as he set the ribs down and turned to look at her.  "What's that?" She asked, pointing to the deep-fried side dish as Justin held her chair out then helped her scoot in.

"Fried pickles." He replied, sitting down across from her. 

"Fried pickles?"  Aubrey asked, lifting one brow as she looked at him strangely.  "Seriously?  You really are from the South, aren't you?" She teased and he laughed.

"They're my favorite." He told her.  "I never have barbeque without them." He said picking up the plate and holding it out to her.  She shook her head.  "Come on." He coxed wiggling the plate slightly.  "Just try one." 

Aubrey pursed her lips as she looked at the pickles.  Might as well if I'm going on a diet tomorrow.  She thought as she reached out and took one.  Justin smiled and watched as she placed it in her mouth. 

"So?" He asked. 

"Interesting." She replied.  "It kind of tastes like a salt and vinegar flavored potato chip.  I like it." She smiled at him. 

"Good." He replied with an answering smile as he put some on his own plate then passed them back to her.

"So, I'm curious." Aubrey said, as she reached for the bowl of mashed potatoes and scooped some out onto her plate.  "What three words would you use to describe me?" She asked, looking across the table at Justin.  He looked at her in question as he filled his plate.  "You said if you had to pick three words to describe Rachel impulsive would be one of them.  I'm just curious on what three words you'd pick for me."

"Hmmm..." He mused putting his arms on the table as he leaned over and looked at her.  "Okay, let me think." 

Aubrey felt a bit unnerved as he sat there studying her intently and couldn't help the nervous smile that came to her face.  She tucked some hair behind her ear as she reached for the ribs and took a few. 

"Surprising." He said.  "In a good way." He winked at her making her chuckle.  He cocked his head to the side as he continued looking at her.  "Sweet and..." He paused as if searching for the right word.  "Sexy." He finished. 

Aubrey looked at him in surprise.  "Out of all the words you could use to describe me, you think I'm sexy?" She asked in disbelief.

He nodded enthusiastically.  "And I'll tell you why." He said.  "The night of your birthday, when I walked in the house and saw you standing there in that black dress, my knees about gave out." He confessed.  "I thought I'd died and gone to heaven but it's not just that."  He continued.  "You're smart, and funny.  You're not afraid to just be yourself and you allow me to be the same.  You're kind hearted and genuine in your affection.  You laugh at my jokes and you're not afraid to call my bluff." He smiled.  "You're my Warrior Princess and all that together makes you sexy as hell."

"I'm suddenly feeling a very strong desire to kiss right now." Aubrey confessed and Justin laughed. 

"Dinner first." He said, pointing at the food on his plate.  "I'm starving.  We can get to the kissing later." He grinned at her and it was Aubrey's turn to laugh.

"Okay." She said, picking up her fork.  "Thank you." She told him giving him a warm smile.  He just winked at her again and they began eating.

~~~~~~

"Those were the best ribs I've ever eaten!" Aubrey exclaimed as she sunk down on the couch next to Justin after they'd finished cleaning up.  "Thank you." She said, leaning over and giving him a kiss.

"You're welcome." He replied keeping his lips against hers.  "Now," He said, leaning over her.  Aubrey giggled as he pressed her back on the couch.  "How about we get to that kissing we were talking about earlier?" His eyes glinted mischievously. 

"Okay." She replied with a smile as she wound her arms around his neck, kissing him several times-her fingers playing with the short hair at the base of his neck.  She sighed happily as Justin's lips roamed across her jaw and down her neck and throat.  He nipped her collarbone playfully and she shied away from him with a giggle.  He knew she was ticklish there and never could resist that spot.  He laughed quietly and she tugged his hair in warning.  "Watch it." She said, her lips grazing his ear.  He shivered slightly and she grinned--reveling in the power she had over him.  Who would have ever thought that I would be able to make Justin Timberlake shiver?  She thought to herself.

"Or what?" He questioned leaning up on his elbows as he hovered above her.  Her arms dropped from around his neck and she placed her hands on his chest.

"I'm just warning you." She replied, looking up at him coyly.  "You know I don't like to be tickled."

"What do you like?" He asked as he lowered his head once more, his lips pulling at hers hungrily.  "Tell me what you like, Aubrey Janae." He whispered seductively in her ear his warm breath against her neck causing a shiver of her own to skirt down her spine.  "I need to know."

Aubrey's stomach erupted in a swarm of nervous butterflies at Justin's request.  She swallowed as she looked up at his ceiling while his lips continued their travels along her skin.  She kept her arms around him as her thoughts wandered.  What did she like?  How am I supposed to know?  Doesn't he remember I haven't done anything before? She thought dejectedly, wishing he hadn't asked the question.  Here she was with her boyfriend--the man she loved--who just happened to be known the world over for his sex appeal and smooth charm and he was asking her what she liked!  He wanted to know what she wanted him to do to her but she couldn't tell him.  How embarrassing was that?! 

"I...I don't know." She confessed quietly, feeling humiliated at having to admit that.  She could feel her cheeks warm and wished she could give him a different answer. 

Justin pulled back again, a sexy grin slowly appearing on his handsome face.  "Then we're just going to have to find out together." He told her as he once more placed his lips against hers. 

Their playful kisses of a moment ago gave way to a much deeper passion and Aubrey could feel a fire starting to burn between them as Justin's mouth mastered her own.  His lips moved against hers with skill and she felt as if she were going to spontaneously combust at any moment.  It was exciting to feel the intensity of the emotions between them but at the same time she was scared.  The last time things had heated up like this he had asked her to stay the night.  Was he going to again?  Would her answer be the same?  So much had changed between them since the last time he had asked her but she still wasn't sure she was ready to take this next step with him.  He's been with so many other beautiful women.  She thought as he continued kissing her passionately.  And none of them were as naïve as I am about this whole thing I'm sure. 

Although he would swear he wasn't, Aubrey felt certain Justin wouldn't be able to help comparing her to other women he'd been with.  How could he not? She thought.  Not only was she scared because she'd never done this before and didn't know what to expect, but she also felt the pressure to live up to some sort of standard and she was terrified of disappointing him.   

When he finally released her mouth--his lips burning a trail down her neck--Aubrey tried to ignore the thoughts going through her head and just concentrate on how he was making her feel at the moment.  She'd never felt anything like she did when Justin kissed her.  She felt like she spinning out of control and yet everything made perfect sense at the same time.  As his warm mouth worked to kiss every inch of skin exposed to him, her arms tightened around him and she clung to him.  She was scared, yes, but she loved him and she wanted to prove her love to him.  She just didn't know how.

Aubrey gasped as Justin's fingers suddenly slipped beneath the hem of her shirt.  He pulled back, looking down at her--his blue eyes connecting with hers as his chest rose and fell, his breathing heavy.

"I know you're scared." He said as if he could read her mind and knew what she'd just been thinking.  "And I know you're self-conscience about your body, which I don't understand because you're gorgeous." He kissed one corner of her mouth.  Aubrey's eyes closed reflexively and she tilted her face towards his.  "I love you." He breathed, kissing the other corner.  "I want to see you." He finished, pressing his lips against hers softly. 

Aubrey opened her eyes once more and looked at him for a few seconds--her head warring with her heart.  Here was her chance.  She thought.  Please don't let me fall.  She silently pled with him as she finally nodded giving her permission.  Her heart fluttered nervously in her chest as he kneeled above her and looked down at her.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as Justin slowly moved her shirt up and over her head--letting the piece of fabric fall to the ground beside the couch.  Aubrey's breath hitched in her throat and she closed her eyes, unable to meet his gaze as he remained silent.  She didn't want to see the disappointment in his eyes at finally seeing her.

"Look at me." Justin commanded.  Aubrey swallowed then did as he requested, wondering if he knew how much courage that act alone took.  "You're a goddess." He whispered in awe, looking at her like he was seeing some priceless work of art for the first time and she was engulfed in tingles.  "Why are you so ashamed of the way you look?" He asked, his blue eyes shining with nothing but love and desire for her. 

"I'm not ashamed." She shook her head.  "I just...I know I'm not...perfect." She told him.  "And I--"

"You are." He said, suddenly leaning over her and pressing his lips to hers to silence her.  "You are."  He told her again.  "You're prefect, just the way you are.  Please, don't ever change."     

Aubrey melted back against the couch, her stomach quivering in anticipation as Justin's warm hands smoothed down her sides.  She watched as he lowered his head.  His nose skimmed over her skin from her chest to her belly button--his warm breath raising goose bumps-and when at last he placed his lips against the sensitive skin of her stomach she let out a soft gasp.  Her back arched reflexively as Justin kissed the soft skin again and all rational thought left her head.  All she could concentrate on was this man and what he was doing to her.  Her fears of moments before seemed irrational now.  Justin stole one arm around the small of her back lifting her towards him more as he kissed her again--higher this time, right below where her bra lay against her skin.  She whispered his name as her fingers clutched at the side of the couch cushion and he let out a low groan as he released her, sitting back again.  She watched as he pulled his own shirt off, revealing his perfectly toned and chiseled torso and her jaw dropped.  He had called her a goddess earlier and had worshipped her with his mouth, but suddenly she felt unworthy to be in his presence.  She reached out tentatively and ran her fingertips over the ridges of his stomach and abdomen.  Justin sucked in a breath and his head fell back as he closed his eyes--his hands fisting at his sides. 

Aubrey watched, fascinated, as his tanned skin quivered slightly beneath her fingers while she continued to explore his body.  She didn't know what it was about him, but being with Justin made her lose all her inhibitions and she suddenly felt the desire to do something she never thought she would.  Leaning up on one elbow she placed a kiss to his stomach.  The muscles beneath her lips clenched tightly and she glanced up at him through her lashes wondering if she'd done something wrong.  Their eyes met and the slow fire that had been burning between them suddenly exploded.  Justin put a hand to her face as he leaned over her once more, pressing her back against the couch as their lips connected again and again with increasing intensity.  Aubrey's heart momentarily stopped as their skin came in contact for the first time and she gasped in his mouth.  Her back arched again instinctively, pressing her against him fully and she marveled at the contrast between them.  There was no denying they were built very differently.    

"I love how soft you are." He told her quietly as if he'd been sharing the same thoughts.  He kissed the corner of her jaw.  "Stay with me tonight?" He asked.

"Justin..." She paused.

"We won't do anything more than you're ready for." He promised, his blue eyes delving into hers.  "I just want to hold you.  I want to know what it feels like to wake up with you in my arms."

Aubrey looked up at him, her heart melting at his words.  Why does he have to be so perfect?  She thought as she placed a hand against his face.  Once again her mind and heart were taking her in different directions.  How could she say no to him when he looked at her as if she held the key to his eternal happiness in her hands and treated her like she was the only girl he'd even been with? 

And yet...she sighed.  I know I'm not. 

Justin lifted himself from her and stood next to the couch.  Aubrey instantly missed his warmth and the feel of his weight atop her.  Though it was the middle of summer, she was suddenly cold laying there without her shirt on.  He looked down at her for a moment and then held his hand out to her in invitation.  She sat up slowly, all the while her eyes staying locked with his.  She ran a hand through her hair, took a deep breath and placed her hand in his.

End Notes:
Okay, before you kill me, give me a second! The next chapter should be up in a minute...
Chapter 20 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
two for the price of one?  I must be in the Easter spirit or something!  lol...enjoy!  :)
Breathe.  Aubrey told herself as she stood in Justin's bathroom.  The last thing I need is to start hyperventilating and pass out in here.  She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.  It was interesting to her the things going through her mind at the moment.  For instance, she was extremely glad she'd shaved her legs this morning yet at the same time she was also wondering how exactly she was supposed to brush her teeth. 

Am I going to have to use his toothbrush? She thought eyeing the red toothbrush lying on the counter beside the sink like it was a snake about to bite her.  She did not want to have to use his toothbrush.  The idea kind of grossed her out, though she knew it was ridiculous.  Do you know how much spit you've shared with the man recently?  She asked herself.  What's the difference? 

But she didn't have an answer.  All she knew was that she wasn't going to do it.  Opening the cupboard she breathed a sigh of relief to discover a bottle of mouthwash.  Taking the top off the bottle she poured a small amount of the green liquid into the cap and then into her mouth.  She began swishing it around as she studied her reflection in the mirror.  She'd told him she didn't have anything to wear to sleep in, to which Justin had then handed her the gray T-shirt and dark blue pair of boxer shorts she was currently wearing.  She spit out the mouthwash and wiped her mouth off with the hand towel hanging up on the wall beside her.  She tugged at the boxers.  She didn't normally wear shorts and was uncomfortable with how much of her legs were exposed, but as she pulled them down she stopped herself. 

This is ridiculous!  She scolded herself.  He's already seen you without your shirt on!  Aubrey forced herself to put her hands down at her sides.  Seeing your legs isn't going to be that big of a deal.  She cocked her head to the side as she continued to scrutinize herself. 

She'd never thought of herself as being sexy yet all evening that's all she'd felt like.  The desire in Justin's eyes every time he looked at her, his ardent declarations of her beauty, and his passionate caresses--along with the love she felt from him with every kiss--made Aubrey feel like the sexiest woman on the planet.  To know that this man, who could be with any woman in the world right now, had chosen to be with her--had asked her to spend the night with him--made her stand a little taller.  She ran a hand through her hair then, picking up her jeans and shirt, turned. 

Taking one more deep breath for good measure, Aubrey slowly opened the bathroom door.

~~~~~~

Justin jumped slightly as he heard the bathroom door open and turned.  He'd been pacing back and forth beside the bed, anxiously waiting for Aubrey to come out.  She'd been in there a good twenty minutes and he was starting to go a little crazy.  He didn't know what to expect from her tonight and was trying his hardest not to get his hopes up too high.  He knew she still didn't fully trust him yet but they'd gone much farther this evening than he ever thought they would.  The fact that he'd gotten to do anything more than just simply kiss her was amazing but, to top it all off, she had agreed to stay the night!  He knew what a huge step this was for her--how much trust she was placing in him--and he was determined not to let her down. 

His heart thumped in his chest and he swore his jaw dropped as she stepped out of the bathroom looking sweet and innocent and far too tempting for her own good as she dropped the shirt and jeans she'd been wearing earlier on the floor then looked at him.  Damn!  He thought as his eyes traveled from her cute bare feet up her amazing long legs and over her incredible body.  He'd never seen a woman look so hot wearing nothing but an old T-shirt and a pair of boxers!  How in the hell am I supposed to just sleep next to her?  He wondered. 

No matter how hard he tried to control it, his body reacted instantaneously to her--vividly recalling how it had felt to have her beneath him; to taste and feel the velvet-like skin she kept hidden from everyone; to hear the soft sounds of pleasure she had made--and he prayed for the strength to be able to keep the promise he'd made to her downstairs.  All he wanted to do was take her in his arms and love her--show her exactly what she meant to him and just how perfect he thought she was--but he knew she wasn't ready yet and pushing her would only prove to work against him right now. 

Aubrey looked at him hesitantly, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth as her beautiful eyes showed the uncertainty she felt at his continued silence.  He knew he should say something to ease her worries but his tongue was completely tied at the moment. 

"Are you okay?" She finally asked quietly.

"Yeah..." He shook his head as he blew out a breath.  "I just...damn girl!"  He swore.  "What you do to me."  Aubrey's cheeks warmed at his admission.  "This is going to be harder than I thought." He told her, putting a hand through his short hair.

"Maybe I should go." She said. 

"No!" He exclaimed as he took a step towards her.  Aubrey looked at him in surprise.  They'd come too far tonight for her to leave now!  "I mean..." he swallowed.  "If you want...do you want to go?" He asked.

She looked at him for a moment then slowly shook her head.  "No." She told him and his heart leapt.

"Okay." He nodded as he took another step towards her.  "Then it's settled.  You're staying."

"Okay." She repeated.

He reached a hand out, surprised to discover it was trembling slightly.  He was nervous!  It's like I'm fifteen again.  He thought as his stomach fluttered.  This is crazy!  He placed his palm against Aubrey cheek his thumb stroking her soft skin as his eyes seemed transfixed on her lips.  He watched as they parted slightly, a soft breath escaping her and he lifted his gaze--his eyes meeting hers as he took the final step separating them.

Slowly he lowered his head and pressed his lips against hers, kissing her softly.  Aubrey sighed as he pulled back a moment later and he pressed his forehead against hers, their breath mingling.

"I don't know what to do." She said quietly.

"You don't have to do anything." He told her, pulling back and looking into her eyes.  "I told you." He said, caressing her cheek.  "I'm just happy you stayed.  We can put in a movie or something." He pointed at the flat screen hanging up on the wall opposite his bed.  "Or just talk.  Whatever you want." He finished, hoping to alleviate her worry and concern.  He could see the fear in her eyes, though she tried hard to hide it.  The last thing he wanted was for her to be scared of him. 

Aubrey looked at him for a moment then took a step around him.  Justin turned and watched as she walked towards his bed, his heart beating double time in his chest as she sat down on the mattress and pulled her legs up--crossing them beneath her. 

"Let's talk." She said, giving him a small smile as she patted the bed beside her. 

Justin let out the breath he hadn't known he'd been holding.  Talking was good.  Talking was...safe.  He needed something to help take his mind of off how badly he wanted her if he was going to have any chance at making through the night with his sanity intact.  He walked over to her and leaned down, giving her a kiss before crawling up on the bed and flopping down on the pillow beside her.  She turned to face him as he put his hands behind his head and cross his ankles.  "What do you want to talk about?" He asked casually.

~~~~~~ 

Aubrey pulled her knees up in front of her, clasping her hands around her legs and resting her chin atop them as she looked over at Justin.  She'd been a bit flustered at first to come out and find him standing there in a pair of gray sweatpants and white tank top, but now quite enjoyed the picture he made stretched out in front of her on his bed.

"What was your first impression of me?" She asked, watching him closely.

He turned his head to look at her.  "I thought...you had a great smile." He said.  "I thought you were cute.  I've told you before that I was surprised that you didn't seem to know who I was," he grinned at her and she chuckled.  "I felt like an idiot for walking away without even introducing myself or asking what your name was but I was so busy trying to keep Brennan off of you...I was going to go back and do that, but you kind of disappeared on me.  What about you?" He asked.  "What did you think of me when we first met?" 

"I convinced myself it wasn't really you." She told him.  "You seemed so...normal." She smiled.  "You were just a regular guy out with your dogs on a Sunday morning.  If it was you, why would you have been talking to me?" She shrugged. 

"You don't give yourself enough credit." He told her.  "I know I'm a little biased now, but I thought you were pretty that first day we met."  Aubrey dropped her legs, crossing them beneath her again, and Justin reached a hand out--laying it on the knee closest to him.  She watched as his thumb moved back and forth across her skin.

"What's one of your favorite childhood memories?" She asked, scooting a little bit closer to him.

"That's easy." He smiled.  "My step-dad teaching  me how to golf."

"How old were you?"

"Ten." He answered and she smiled.  "It's been a passion ever since."

"What was it like...growing up on stage?" She questioned.

"It was..." He shrugged as he sat up and leaned back against the headboard.  He took her hand, lacing his fingers through hers.  "I don't really have anything to compare it to, you know?" He asked.  "It was just how life was for me.  It was hard at times, don't get me wrong, and I know I missed out on a lot things that ‘normal' kids get to experience but it was worth it.  I wouldn't trade anything because then I wouldn't be here, right now.  With you."  Aubrey smiled and felt her cheeks warm at his admission.  "What made you decide you wanted to be a teacher?" He asked her.

"I want to make a difference in the world." She told him.  "And teaching is the best way to do that.  To be able to see the light come on when a child finally understands and learns how to tell time; to see the excited smiles on their faces when they learn how to read or write their names..." she sighed.  "It's the best feeling in the world to know that you helped teach them that." 

"Did you always know you wanted to be a teacher?" He asked, in genuine interest.

"No." She shook her head.

"What made the decision for you?"

"Mia." She told him. 

"Mia?" He questioned and she nodded, a smile coming to her face.

"I volunteered one summer during high school at the city library.  I helped in the children's section and would do the story hour on Saturday mornings." She told him.  "There was this one little girl--Mia--who came in with her grandmother every week.  She was eight, but didn't know how to read yet.  At first she sat at the back of the group as I would read the story but each week she got a little bit closer and a little bit closer until finally she pulled one of the little reading chairs right up beside me.  She watched me as I read the stories and I could see the hunger in her eyes to learn.  So I talked to her grandmother, who barely spoke English, and she agreed to let me help Mia learn how to read.  So I worked with her all summer long and by the time she went back to school that fall she could read." Aubrey smiled.  "A whole new world opened up to her.  It was amazing and I was hooked.  I knew that was what I wanted to do with my life."

"Wow." Justin commented.  "That's...wow."  Aubrey chuckled at his stumbling.  "To feel that much...passion about what you do...it's amazing..."

"It's no different than the passion you feel for what you do." She told him. 

"Yes it is." He said.  "My music doesn't change peoples' lives the way you teaching kids to read does."

"I just..." She shrugged, searching for the right words.  "Too many kids now a days grow up in homes where they're not loved and I..." She stopped, blinking back the tears that had suddenly appeared.  "I just want them to know that they have one person in their life that loves them and believes in them and helps them reach their full potential."  She sniffed and wiped away the tears that had fallen.  "I'm sorry." She chuckled self-consciously.  "I get a little worked up about it sometimes." 

~~~~~~ 

"I've said it before," Justin replied.  "But it's never been truer than right now.  You are an incredible woman, Aubrey." He said, looking at her in amazement.  "And everyday I learn something else about you that proves that even more.  I'm not really sure what I did to deserve having you in my life but whatever it was, I'm extremely happy that it happened."   

Aubrey surprised him as she unfolded her legs and leaned towards him, kissing him as she wrapped her arms around his neck.  Justin put his arms around her as well, and twisted slightly laying her back against the pillow he had been leaning against.  Their lips melded together in the perfect way that had become familiar to him over the last month and he moved one hand down her side--gripping her hip--as he slowly moved one leg between her own.  Aubrey's head arched back, her lips releasing his as she fought for breath. 

"I love kissing you." He told her as he kissed along her jaw line and down her throat.  Her fingers clutched at his shoulders.  "I was such a fool to wait as long as I did."

She looked up at him, as he pulled back, with questioning eyes.  "How long were you waiting?" She asked as she moved one hand up to his face, her thumb running over his bottom lip. 

"The first time I wanted to kiss you was the night of your birthday." He told her, the hand he had on her hip moving up her side--taking the hem of the shirt she wore with it.   "I don't know if you remember," he said as his thumb caressed the sensitive skin above the waistband of the boxers she was wearing.  Aubrey let out a soft moan and he grinned.  "But that asinine comment I made to you about catching you looking at my lips...I only said it because I couldn't stop thinking about yours.  That was the night everything changed for me." He confessed.

"I was waiting longer." She told him and he looked at her in question.  "That day you came over and were ‘normal'..." She trailed off and he watched as her cheeks turned pink, his interest definitely piqued now.

"Yeah?" He asked with a smile.

"I had a dream that night that you kissed me." She said.  "I had to wait another two months to find out what your kiss was really like."

"I'm sorry I kept you waiting." He said, pressing his lips against hers--their tongues dancing together.  Finally he tore his mouth from hers and placed it where he'd been wanting to since doing so earlier.  Sliding down her body, Justin lifted the hem of her shirt half-way up and put both hands on her sides.  His lips caressed her as he kissed above and beside her belly button.  Moving his hands down, he hooked his thumbs beneath the waistband of the boxers and underwear she wore and pulled them down slightly. 

Aubrey's breath caught in her throat and he looked up at her, gauging her reaction.  Her eyes were closed but the look of pleasure on her face made him smile.  He kissed her left hip and was moving over to her right when he noticed something that had been hidden from him before.  He stopped, looking down at the dark pink line that marred her perfect body and ran down from her belly button-disappearing beneath the fabric of the boxers.

"What is this from?" He asked, touching the scar tissue before placing his lips against it.  Aubrey gasped as if suddenly realizing she'd forgotten something important.  She lifted her head, her eyes connecting with his.  "What's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing." She replied hastily, lying back down on the pillow.  He noticed her chest rising and falling rapidly as if she were struggling for breath.  "I just...nothing."

"Aubrey?" He questioned, moving to lean over her again.  He looked down at her.  "What's going on?  You were fine a second ago." He watched her closely, trying to read the expression on her face.  "What's going on?" He asked again.  Aubrey lay stiff beneath him, a myriad of emotions playing on her face--frustration and fear being the most prominent.  He narrowed his eyes as he watched her.  "What's the scar from?" He asked.

"It's from...a surgery...I had about three years ago." She told him. 

"What kind of surgery?" He asked tentatively, beginning to get worried.  Was she sick?  If she told him she had cancer or something he wasn't sure how he was going to handle that.  He couldn't lose her to something like that!  Not when they'd barely begun their relationship.  "What kind of surgery?" He asked again when she remained silent.  Real fear starting to take hold of him.  "What does that mean?"

"It means I'm broken." She finally told him.  Her bottom lip trembled and she closed her eyes, tears leaking beneath her lashes as she turned on her side and pulled her legs up--curling into the fetal position.  "It's not fair." She whispered her voice catching. 

Justin watched her from a moment in stunned silence.  Her reaction to his questions baffled him.  He had no idea what was going on so he did the only thing he knew to do.  Moving to the side he lay down behind her.  Wrapping his arms around her he pulled Aubrey back against him and just held her while she cried quietly.  Whatever the reason was behind the surgery she'd had to have she was still in pain because of it.  He placed his lips against her neck then pressed his forehead against the back of her head--his heart breaking for her.  Tightening his arms around her, he waited.

~~~~~~~  

Aubrey hated the fact that she was crying over this.  It's been three years!  She reminded herself.  I knew what I was doing when I made the decision to have the surgery.  Why is it still affecting me like this?  She asked.  But she knew the reason.

She felt broken, just like she'd told him.  She was upset over the fact that she'd finally found the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with and she couldn't offer him the one thing that women were supposed to be able to bring to a relationship--the ability to have children. 

And she was scared.  

She had completely forgotten about the scar she carried from her hysterectomy and hadn't even been thinking about it as Justin's kisses had moved down her body.  All she'd been thinking about was how good he made her feel, about how much she loved him, and about how she didn't know how she'd survived without him before.  He kept his arms around her, silently giving her support and offering comfort; waiting for her to be ready to talk.  What was he going to do when she told him?  How was he going to react?  Her tears finally quieted and she lay staring at the clock on his night stand.   

What a day this turned out to be. She mused wryly as she sniffed and moved a hand up to wipe away her tears.  Twelve hours ago she'd been watching him teach a bunch of seven year olds how to dunk an Oreo and now here she was: crying in his arms, about to bare her soul to him and tell him things that nobody else knew.  She only prayed the next twelve hours would still find them together.  She didn't know what she'd do if this was the end.     

"I can't have children." Aubrey confessed quietly-finally letting him in on the one secret she kept from everyone.  She closed her eyes, waiting anxiously for his response. 

"Ever?" He questioned.  She shook her head and heard him sigh behind her as he tightened his hold on her.  "What happened?"

"It's a long, complicated medical story," she told him.  "But...basically because of different issues I had to have a hysterectomy when I was eighteen."

Justin shifted behind her and put a hand on her shoulder.  Aubrey rolled over on her back and finally braved looking at him.  He lay on his side, propped up on one elbow, and she wished she could read his thoughts.  He reached his other hand out and wiped away the tears remaining on her face before he leaned over and pressed his lips to hers. 

"I'm sorry." He said pulling back again and running his thumb across her cheek.  "I don't..." he started then stopped, his eyes searching hers.  "Aubrey, I don't see how this makes you broken." He finished, looking at her--his blue eyes seeking understanding.

"Did you not hear me say that I can't have children?" She asked, looking at him in question.

"Yeah, but..." he shook his head and Aubrey sat up, pushing him away in frustration. 

"I can't do what every other woman is able to do." She told him, throwing her arms out to the side.  "I'll never be pregnant.  I'll never..." she stopped and furiously blinked away her tears.  "I'll never be able to hold my own baby in my arms." She told him.  "I feel empty inside most of the time."  She looked down at her hands in her lap.  "I'm not a real woman." She whispered. 

"Look at me, Aubrey Janae." Justin responded forcefully.  She kept her head down but he reached out and tugged her chin up forcing her to look at him.  A fire sparked in his blue eyes and she wanted to pull away from him, but he kept a firm hold on her.  "Having a uterus and being able to have a baby is not what makes you a woman!  It's your compassion and sweet temperament." He continued.  "It's all the reasons I told you earlier at dinner that I find you so attractive and sexy.  It's your heart and your ability to love unconditionally.  Besides," He told her.  "You're already a mother.  You've got ten little kids right now who adore you and hang off of every word you say and love you as much as the women who actually gave birth to them and one day," he said, tenderly wiping away the tears that were falling down her face.  "You'll have an entire classroom of wiggly little five and six year olds who will give you their hearts.  You've already got one big kid," he pointed at himself, "Whose life will never be the same because of loving you."

Aubrey looked at him through her tears, wondering why he was so perfect.  Men like Justin weren't supposed to exist in real life!  They only existed in books and movies.  "I can't ever give you a child." She told him, needing to make sure he completely understood.

"I don't care!" He replied, shaking his head.  "I honestly, don't care.  If we decide...you know..." he shrugged.  "Sometime down the road that we want kids, then we'll adopt.  Like you said, there are more than enough children in this world who are in desperate need of someone to love them.  And..." he paused.  This time it was his turn to look uncertain and nervous.  "If...it turns out that Nikki's baby is mine...there will be one more in need of your love."  His eyes met hers, vulnerability clearly written all over his face. 

"Justin, I may be insanely jealous that she's possibly having your baby." Aubrey told him as she put a hand to his face.  "And I'm not going to lie and say this whole situation doesn't make me uncomfortable and I wish with all my heart that it weren't happening, but that doesn't mean I won't love that baby if it's yours." She assured him, his blue eyes registering his relief.  "How could I not?" She asked.  "It's a part of you."

Justin put his arms around her and pulled her close, his lips capturing hers.  Aubrey responded eagerly, wrapping her arms around his neck--willingly surrendering to the passion between them as she participated in what was by far the most emotional kiss she'd ever experienced. 

"Do you have any idea how much I love you?" Justin asked as he laid her back on the pillow. 

"Probably about as much as I love you." She told him, running a hand through his hair as she looked up at him.  He kissed her again, long and deep--his lips moving against hers slowly and seductively as he worked to prove his love to her with his mouth.  The emotional bond they'd just forged burned bright between them and Aubrey knew, no matter what the future held for them, they would make it through the storms together.  Justin finally released her mouth as he lay down beside her, wrapping his arms around her and holding her tightly.  She sighed as she turned, resting her head against his chest as she sought to be even closer to him.  They lay together in a comfortable and peaceful silence until Justin spoke up.

"I just had a thought." He said. 

"About?" She asked lifting her head as she looked at him.  His eyes sparkled mischievously and she narrowed her eyes slightly as she watched him closely.  It was never good when he got that look in his eyes.        

"I'm going to end up saving a lot of money because of this." He nodded, looking thoughtful.

"What do you mean?" She asked with a confused chuckle.

He shrugged casually as he ran a hand through her hair then pulled her close, kissing her.  "I can quit throwing money away supporting the condom industry." He told her, his smile widening.  Aubrey laughed as she pushed him playfully.  "But you," he said, pointing at her.  "May end up regretting that you told me about everything."

"How so?" Aubrey asked, curious to hear his explanation.

"You're not going to be able to ever use the excuse that you're on your period to get out of anything." He told her and she laughed.  "Cuz now I know better."

Chapter 21 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
the story continues...
Justin groaned as the sunlight coming through his windows broke through his unconsciousness Sunday morning.  He tried to sit up but as he moved, soft hair slid against his chest as Aubrey snuggled closer to him.  Smiling at the pleasant sensation, he allowed her to push him back into his pillow as he wrapped his arms around her and tried to go back to sleep.  The light slowly grew but Justin ignored it, concentrating instead on the soft, warm curves he held in his arms.  He tightened his hold once again but she protested to his hold on her, jabbing him in the side and he loosened his grip--but not all together.  He liked the feeling of this woman next to him too much to let her go completely. 

Last night had been a huge turning point in their relationship.  Aubrey had opened up and told him things he knew she hadn't told anyone else.  He knew how much courage it had taken her to tell him what she had--he had seen it in her eyes as she explained to him the feelings she had and what she struggled with regarding the surgery she'd had to have.  He felt the weight of the trust she had placed in him but he didn't mind it.  In fact he relished it.  Slowly but surely he was breaking down the security wall she had placed around her heart when it came to him and their relationship.  One of these days.  He thought.  She'll wake up and realize this is real and I'm not going anywhere. 

They hadn't done anything more than fall asleep in each other's arms last night but he felt closer and more emotionally connected to Aubrey than he had to any other girl he'd ever been with.  Slowly he opened his eyes, watching as she slept beside him.  Their bond went far beyond the intense physical attraction he had for her.  He had confessed the dark secrets in his past to her a few weeks ago and she'd chosen to accept him anyway--as imperfect as he was--and was standing by him through all the drama going on with Nikki and her paternity suit. 

Justin lifted his hand and gently brushed the backs of his fingers along Aubrey's cheekbone.  She sighed softly as she shifted in her sleep.  His lips turned up as he watched her, once again wondering what he'd done to deserve her love and kicking himself for being such an idiot and not recognizing the miracle he'd been given sooner.  He'd wasted so much time he could have been spending with her because he'd been too blind to realize she was exactly the "something" he had been looking for. 

"My Warrior Princess." He whispered as he kissed the tip of her nose, his smile growing at the memory that title brought to mind.  Closing his eyes Justin draped his arm across her waist and slid down beneath the covers, till he could rest his head against her shoulder, and allowed the soft sound of her breathing to lull him back to sleep.

~~~~~

Aubrey stretched as she finally opened her eyes Sunday morning and looked around.  She was momentarily taken back at her unfamiliar surroundings until she remembered where she was.  A tingle went down her spine and her stomach fluttered slightly as her sleepy brain finally began registering the fact that she was in Justin's bed. 

With Justin. 

Justin's arm rested across her stomach as he lay on his side, curled up next to her.  Their feet were tangled and the sound of his deep, even breathing tempted her back to sleep.  She closed her eyes for a moment, content to just stay like this for the rest of the day. What more did she need?  A comfortable bed, a soft pillow, the man she loved lying next to her...a bathroom. 

She scowled as the sudden urge to go caused her to open her eyes.  Having to go to the bathroom is so inconvenient.  She thought.  Especially now.  She turned her head, looking over at Justin then attempted to slip out from under his arm without waking him.  Inch by inch she slowly did so, finally rolling away from him--proud of herself for doing so without waking him.  She yawned as she stood and walked towards the bathroom, running her fingers through her hair--completely unaware of the pair of blue eyes watching her appreciatively from the bed as she walked away from him.

~~~~~~ 

As Aubrey stood washing her hands she looked at herself in the mirror.  She cocked her head to the side as she studied her reflection.  The girl looking back at her was different than the one she'd seen last night.  Last night the girl in the mirror had been nervous, scared and unsure of herself.  This morning she was calm and confident.  She'd had no idea last night would turn out like it had--with her confessing everything to Justin--but she was glad she'd told him.  She felt a huge sense of relief--something she hadn't felt in a long time.  She didn't have to wonder anymore what his reaction would be when he found out about her medical history. 

Aubrey leaned forward slightly, running her middle finger under each eye in an effort to remove the little bit of smudged mascara left there.  She then ran her fingers through her hair then opened the cabinet she'd found the mouthwash in last night.  Her stomach fluttered nervously as she swished the green liquid around in her mouth.  She wasn't really sure what to expect of "the morning after"--this was the first time she'd ever spent the night at her boyfriend's house and this wasn't really the typical morning after--but whatever was going to happen she didn't want to scare him away with bad breath.  Spitting the mouthwash out, and wiping her mouth off, she turned.  Opening the door she gasped, her heart jumping to find Justin leaning against the wall, waiting for her.

"Morning." He chuckled at her surprise, his blue eyes sparkling.

"Good morning." She smiled, continuing to stand in the doorway just looking at him.  Her knees felt a little weak and her stomach quivered as he lifted one hand, rubbing the back of his neck.  Her eyes were drawn downwards as if by a magnet--zeroing in on the small strip of skin that movement revealed between the hem of the tank top and the waist band of the sweats he wore low on his hips.  She swallowed, recalling how that golden skin had felt beneath her fingers and lips and a tingle went through her.  Justin chuckled quietly and she lifted her eyes to his, her cheeks warming as he winked at her--a knowing grin on his face. 

"You're not so bad looking yourself first thing in the morning." He told her, reading her thoughts.  "In fact..." he leaned towards her and whispered conspiratorially.  "I wouldn't mind seeing you like this every morning from now on."  Aubrey smiled as she tucked her hair behind her ear then looked down at her bare feet, wiggling her toes a bit.  "But, as much as I'd like to continue standing here looking at you," he continued and she looked back up at him.  "Do you mind if I..." he trailed off as he pointed behind her into the bathroom.

"Oh!" She said, moving out of the doorway she'd been blocking.  "No, go ahead."

"Thanks." He smiled at her as they traded places and Aubrey took a deep breath as he closed the door.  Bending down she picked up the pair of jeans she'd been wearing yesterday and took out the hair tie she kept in her pocket.  Pulling her hair back, she secured it in a ponytail then walked downstairs-her stomach rumbling.

I wonder what kind of breakfast supplies he has on hand...

~~~~~~

Justin came out of the bathroom to find his bedroom empty. 

Confused, he stood for a moment, wondering where Aubrey had disappeared to.  "Aubrey?" He called out, but was met with only silence.  His brow furrowed as he walked out of his room and down the stairs.  He heard sounds coming from the kitchen and walked that direction.  Coming around the corner of the cabinets he stopped, a smile coming to his face as he folded his arms across his chest and leaned against the wall.  He watched as Aubrey stood with her back to him--unaware of his presence. 

He'd been a bit disappointed to come out of the bathroom and not find her waiting in bed for him--secretly hoping he could work on breaking down her wall a little more.  He hadn't been ready for their time together in bed to be over, but the sight before him now was definitely something he could get used to.  Quietly, he stalked towards her--curious as to what she was doing. 

"What do you want in your omelet?" She asked as he got closer to her. 

"Damn it!" He exclaimed.  "How did you know I was here?" He asked in surprise and disappointment as Aubrey looked over her shoulder at him. 

"Magic." She replied with a grin.  "I hope you don't mind." She gestured at some food on the counter.  "I was hungry so I thought I'd make us some breakfast."

"Sounds great." He replied, lifting his arms above his head as he stretched.  He watched as Aubrey's eyes strayed to where his shirt had lifted and grinned.    "I'm starving." He said and her eyes connected with his again--the veiled desire in their depths urging him forward. 

"Good." She said as he pressed his lips against hers. 

He moved closer to her, his hands coming up as he framed her face.  Aubrey let out a soft moan as her hands came to rest on his hips and he tilted her head slightly--deepening the kiss between them.  As his mouth moved against hers he felt her tug him closer and smiled against her lips.  He liked the confident and slightly aggressive side of Aubrey that came out every once in a while and wished she'd let that part of her personality out more often.  They could definitely have some fun with it.  Finally he released her mouth--watching as she licked her lips then opened her eyes to look up at him. 

"Mmmm...that's a nice way to start the day." She commented with a soft smile as she put her arms around his neck.  Justin laughed as he wrapped his arms around her waist, picking her up slightly as he hugged her.  He placed a series of small kisses to her lips while their eyes stayed open and connected.  She smiled and looked like she was about to say something but a sudden scratching at the back door made them both turn to look in that direction. 

~~~~~~

"Do you mind if I let the dogs in?" Justin asked looking back at her.  

"Nope." Aubrey shook her head.  "I was beginning to wonder where they were." She said.  Justin gave her a squeeze and another quick kiss before releasing her.

"I put them out last night when I was cooking dinner." He told her.  "They were in the way and wouldn't leave me alone." He opened the back door and the boxers fell over themselves in their eagerness to get inside--Brennan letting out a happy bark.  Aubrey laughed as both of the dogs came over to her, shoving each other aside in their attempts to gain her attention.  She gave them each a scratch behind the ears before Buckley jumped up suddenly, putting his paws on the counter to investigate what she was cooking. 

"Buck!" Justin commanded sharply as he grabbed the dog's collar.  "Down!  Come on you two." He said, walking towards the laundry room. 

Buckley and Brennan followed Justin as Aubrey went back to dicing the green pepper she'd been cutting before Justin had come downstairs.  A moment later she heard as Justin poured some dog food into a metal bowl.  She looked over her shoulder as she heard the laundry room door close. 

"That should keep them occupied for about five seconds." He told her, rolling his eyes as he chuckled.

"They don't bother me." She told him with a smile. 

"Do you need help?" He asked, pulling out one of the bar stools and sitting down across the counter from her. 

"No." She shook her head.  "I've got it.  Thanks though."

"What do you want to do today?" He asked as he reached out, sneaking a few pieces of the pepper. 

"Whatever." Aubrey shrugged.  "What do you want to do?"

Justin looked at her quietly for a moment, his expression thoughtful.  "I usually take those two for a run on Sunday mornings." He said pointing behind her towards the laundry room.

"I hate running." Aubrey told him emphatically.  "It was all I could do to get through gym class in high school, so if that's something that's going to be required in this relationship I need to know right now."

"Relax." Justin chuckled at her vehemence.  "I got it.  Running's not your thing.  No biggie." He shrugged.  "Why don't we just take the dogs to the park and let them run?"

Aubrey smiled.  "You're not sick of being with me?" She asked.

"No!  Are you kidding me?" Justin asked.  "Every time I'm with you and you open that beautiful mouth of yours I learn something new about you that makes me love you even more than I already did."

"You pretty much know everything about me now." She replied feeling her cheeks warm slightly.

"I don't know..." he drawled, his blue eyes watching her intently as he cocked his head to the side.  "I bet you've got a few more secrets in there." Aubrey's stomach quivered at the look in Justin's eyes.  When the tension between them became too intense she turned and began opening up a few cupboards, searching for a bowl to put the eggs in--trying to calm the nervous butterflies in her stomach.  How was it possible for her to be so affected by him?  She wasn't sure her heart was going to survive this relationship with as often as he made it race.

"I want to learn all your secrets, Aubrey Janae." Justin whispered, suddenly appearing behind her.  Aubrey's heart began beating rapidly in her chest as his hands came down on the counter to either side of her, trapping her between him and the counter.  Her breath caught in her throat as his lips pressed against her neck.

"Justin..." She breathed, a shiver skirting down her spine.

"I want to love you." He confessed with a whispered groan as his hands came down to grip her hips.  Aubrey bit down on her bottom lip and closed her eyes as she fought to keep from completely melting into a puddle at his feet as his lips continued roaming along her skin.  She felt his body pressed up against hers, half of her more than willing to let him do whatever he wanted to her while the other half began trembling in fear. 

As irrational as it may be, she was scared of him and of taking this next step in their relationship.  Even with as close as they'd become, and as strong a connection that she felt to him, Aubrey was still afraid to share this part of herself with him.  It was the last barrier she kept up between them--the last brick in the wall around her heart.  Once she let that barrier down she would have no protection against any future heartbreak that he might cause her.  To let him love her was to completely surrender herself to him, and she wasn't sure she was ready to take that leap of faith and open herself up to that level of vulnerability.

"W-what about...breakfast?" She asked, her frantically beating heart and the seductive call of his body making it difficult for her to breathe, let alone think clearly. 

"Breakfast can wait." He replied matter of factly as his lips moved to the other side of her neck.  Aubrey swallowed as she turned in his arms, finally facing him.  She gazed up into his blue eyes that were darkened by desire.  "I just want to love you." He said leaning down, capturing her lips with his.  Aubrey responded to his kiss though she cursed him and his ability to turn her into a quivering mess with nothing more than a look.  He picked her up suddenly and placed her up on the counter, their lips never separating.  Aubrey wound her arms around his neck--her fingers threading through his short hair as he pulled her knees apart and stepped between them.  Instinctively Aubrey wrapped her legs around his waist as Justin's kisses became rougher--an excited thrill going through her.  He lifted one hand and removed her ponytail holder, releasing her hair and plunging his fingers into it as he tilted her head to the side--their tongues meeting again and again in a slow, seductive dance. 

Aubrey's lungs began to burn from a lack of oxygen so she pulled back, tearing her lips from his.  She fought for breath as Justin's mouth continued on a path across her jaw and down her neck.  He placed a hand to the back of her head as she leaned back, allowing him to kiss her throat--her fingers still in his hair as she let out a soft moan.  Her legs tightened around his waist, drawing him closer as he nipped her, his tongue then working to sooth the sting.    

"Justin..." Aubrey trailed off as goose bumps enveloped her when his hands began working on lifting the hem of her shirt.  "Justin, wait.  I can't--"

"What?" He asked, pulling back to look at her-his eyes and tone of voice giving away his confusion and frustration.  "I don't know what else you want me to do."

"I don't--"

"I'm clean." He told her, cutting her off.  "If that's what you're worried about, you don't have to--"

Aubrey shook her head.  "No.  It's not that." She said.  "I just--"   

"Then what is it?" He asked, his blue eyes pleading with her.  He lifted a hand, cupping her cheek.  "Why don't you trust me?"

"I'm just..." She sighed.  "I'm just not ready yet." She told him, her eyes pleading with him to understand.  He sighed deeply as he hung his head, nodding in acceptance.  Aubrey put her arms around his neck, hugging him close as he wrapped his arms around her waist.  She knew she was crazy for rejecting him again, but she just wasn't sure she was ready and she needed to be sure.  She needed to know she was the only one in his heart--the only one he would be thinking about.  His respect towards her, even though he was disappointed, did more to move her closer to being ready than his kisses and seductive caresses could...but it still wasn't enough. 

"Soon." She told him quietly.  Justin placed his hands on the counter as he looked up at her--his eyes searching hers.  Aubrey placed her hands on his face and pressed her lips against his.  "Soon."      

~~~~~~

"Justin Timberlake, the man who was once voted one half of the "Fittest Couple" in Hollywood, is now apparently with someone who looks like they haven't set foot in a gym in their life.   JT--the reigning Prince of Pop--was seen last Sunday at the park with his dogs and the woman he's supposedly dating.  We have to wonder though, WHY he's with her.  Maybe she isn't his girlfriend.  Maybe she's just the dog walker?  She certainly dresses like one."

Justin crumpled up the section of the newspaper he'd been reading and tossed it aside Tuesday evening.  He wasn't normally one to read the Entertainment section, but the picture of himself and Aubrey that had been on the front page had caught his eye. 

Now he was angry.

Dressed like a dog walker?  He thought as he pulled his cell phone from his pocket, hoping Aubrey hadn't read what people were saying about her.   He'd have to get his publicist on this.  He was not okay with the media ripping Aubrey apart.  They could say what they wanted about him--he'd spent the majority of his life as a media spectacle.  He was used to it but Aubrey wasn't and he hated the idea of her finding out how mean the tabloids could be.

He pressed the quick--call button he'd programmed her number to and put the phone against his ear. 

~~~~~~

"So what exactly have you been up to since quitting?" Aubrey asked Rachel Tuesday evening as they sat down at a table at the bakery where Rachel had made an appointment to sample their wedding cakes.

"Trying to convince Megan to move here." Rachel replied, setting her purse on the floor at her feet.

"What?" Aubrey chuckled.  "Why?"

"Because she had this brilliant idea and I'm trying to get her to move out here to help me with it." Rachel told her.

"What is it?" Aubrey inquired.

"Well," Rachel tucked her long blonde hair behind her ear.  "I've been trying to decide if I wanted to try and get a job with a different design firm in town or open my own company, but I'm not sure I want to do either.  Then I was trying to decide if I should maybe get a job either with Jace's tour or when the guys all get together as a set designer but--"

"Won't you get sick of each other if you're with him like that every day?" Aubrey asked.

Rachel lifted one brow as she looked at Aubrey.  "No." She replied confidently, making Aubrey laugh.

"Okay." Aubrey commented.  "So, what's this brilliant idea Megan had?"

"Party planning!" Rachel told her with an excited smile. 

Aubrey laughed.  "That's...perfect." She nodded.   

"I know!" Rachel replied.  "I don't know why I didn't think of it before." She laughed. 

Aubrey looked down, pulling her phone from her purse as it started ringing.  She smiled when she read Justin's name on the screen.  "Hold on." She told Rachel answering the call.  "Hi." She said. 

"I love you." Justin said. 

Aubrey was quiet for a second.  She hadn't been expecting that from him.  "Did you call me just to tell me that?" She asked with a smile.

"Yes." He said.  "I just want to make sure you know."

"Are you okay?" She asked a bit confused at his weird behavior.  He wasn't one to normally call just to tell her he loved her.  "What's going on?" She asked, looking up at Rachel who was looking at her in question.

"I'm fine." Justin said.  "I didn't mean to interrupt your time with Rachel, I just..."

"I love you, too." Aubrey told him.  "I'll call you later?" She asked.

"Yeah." He answered.

"Okay." She smiled.  "Bye."  She ended the call with Justin, looking at her phone in question for a moment before putting it back in her purse.

"What was that about?" Rachel asked.

"I don't know." Aubrey shook her head.  "He was just calling to tell me he loved me." She smiled.  "Anyway," she pushed her hand through the air and turned her attention back to Rachel.  "What were we talking about?"

Their conversation was put on hold however, as their cake consultant came over to where they were sitting and began talking to Rachel about the different cake options available to her.  Aubrey was amazed.  Who knew there were so many different varieties of wedding cakes?  As the different samples were brought out, their consultant left them alone to discuss and taste.

"Mmmm..." Rachel said as she took a bite of the double chocolate cake sample in front of her.  "So far I like them all!  I wonder if they make cheesecake."

"Cheesecake?" Aubrey asked with a laugh.  "You've got ten different cake samples in front of you and you want cheesecake?"

"I love cheesecake!" Rachel exclaimed, putting a hand over her heart and sighing.  Aubrey laughed again as she took a bite of the lemon cake.  "I don't think you understand." Rachel continued, looking at her.  "If cheesecake were a man...let's just say JC would have some serious competition for my heart."

"You're ridiculous." Aubrey said with a laugh, shaking her head in disbelief.  Rachel just smiled with a shrug of her shoulders.  The girls continued talking and laughing as they tried the different samples until Aubrey finally worked up the nerve to ask Rachel a question she'd been asking herself since Sunday.  "Can I...can I ask you a personal and potentially awkward question?" Aubrey asked as she picked at the carrot cake slice in front of her then finally took a small bite.

"Sure." Rachel replied, jotting down a quick note on the piece of paper in front of her.  "What's up?" She asked, taking a bite of the

"How do you know...when you're ready...to sleep with someone?" Aubrey asked hesitantly.

"What?" Rachel asked, looking at her in wide-eyed surprise.

"How do you know..." Aubrey began then shook her head.  "Nevermind." She said looking down at the table embarrassed.  "Forget I asked."

"No, hold on." Rachel said reaching out and placing a hand on Aubrey's arm.  "Have you never..." She trailed off and Aubrey looked over at her.  "Of course not." Rachel mused.  "You're Aubrey."

"What does that mean?" Aubrey asked.

"Nothing." Rachel shook her head.  "I just...how do you know?" She asked.  "You just do." She shrugged.  Aubrey rolled her eyes and Rachel chuckled.  "Man, did you luck out!" Rachel exclaimed.

"What?" Aubrey asked confused.

"You realize that you're going to be able to say that Justin Timberlake was your first, right?" Rachel replied.  "You're going to be the envy of men and women around the world!"

"It's not really something I'm going to go around broadcasting to the world when it happens." Aubrey told her.

"I know." Rachel said.  "But that doesn't mean people aren't going to be jealous of you, or aren't jealous of you right now, for that matter!" She chuckled.  "You've got that boy completely wrapped around your finger.  That's as plain as day." She smiled and Aubrey chuckled, feeling her cheeks warm.  "I can't believe he hasn't tried--"

"Oh, he has." Aubrey interrupted Rachel.  "Believe me, he has."

"And you've been able to say no?" Rachel asked in shock.  "To Justin?!  I think you may have just become my new hero!"

Aubrey laughed at Rachel's declaration.  "How long did it take you and JC to..." she trailed off as she looked around then lowered her voice.  "You know?"

"Too long." Rachel replied with a dramatic sigh.  "But what you need to know is that I was still dealing with some issues from a previous relationship when JC and I started dating and getting serious and then he went and acted like a complete jack ass and I refused to speak to him for about ten days...but that's a different story."

"What happened?" Aubrey asked.  She'd known Rachel and JC's relationship hadn't always been smooth sailing but she didn't know any of the particulars.

"Well," Rachel sighed as she sat back in her chair.  She was quiet for a moment as if debating what to say.  Finally she took a deep breath.  "Before I met JC, I...I was raped." She said.  Aubrey gasped and Rachel nodded. 

"I can't even imagine..." Aubrey trailed off. 

"Needless to say I had a lot of emotional baggage I was carrying around when I met Jace.  But he was..." she smiled.  "He was so amazing and supportive when he found out--when I finally told him."

Aubrey's brow furrowed in confusion.  "But, you said he acted like a jerk and you didn't talk to him--"

"No, what I said," Rachel said interrupting her.  "Was that he acted like a jack ass.  There's a difference." She chuckled.  "But that was before he knew everything about what I had gone through.  He was dealing with his own issues at the time and decided to get drunk one night.  He said some hurtful things to me about the fact that I wouldn't sleep with him.  He was frustrated--in more ways than one--and took it out on me.  Normally I would have just let it go, but because I was dealing with all my issues at the time, I didn't take it so well." She paused.  "It's a miracle JC and I are still talking to each other with everything we've gone through, let alone getting married!" She mused.  "But, none of that has anything to do with what you want to know." Rachel folded her arms and rested them up on the table.  "What's your biggest hold up with it comes to sleeping with Justin?" She asked.  "Besides the fact that you've never done it before?"

"I guess..." Aubrey sighed.  "I guess I'm afraid."

"Of Justin?" Rachel asked.

"No." Aubrey shook her had.  "Of everyone he's been with."

"So have him get tested first." Rachel told her.  "He's probably already done it, what with the paternity suit and all, but--"

"No, it's not that." Aubrey said.  Rachel looked at her in question.  "I'm afraid..." she trailed off.  "I'm afraid of being compared." She finally admitted.  "He's been with so many other beautiful women who were all way more experienced than I am at this.  I'm afraid of being compared to them and I'm afraid of disappointing him.  I don't want to look in his eyes afterwards and know that I let him down."

"How do you know he's going to be disappointed?" Rachel asked.

"I just do." Aubrey replied.  "How could he not be?  I mean, he's got experience to spare and I have no experience whatsoever.  He's going to have no choice but to compare me to others he's been with."

"Or," Rachel interjected.  "He could only be thinking about how much he loves you and how excited and happy he is that he finally gets to share that experience with you." Rachel smiled and Aubrey's stomach fluttered at the thought.  "I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  JC was kind of a slut before we got together." Rachel continued.  "But he's never once made me feel second best to anyone.  Every time we're together..." She sighed dreamily.  "I know I'm the only one he's thinking about, and it'll be the same with you and Justin.  One thing our boys have in common is their level of commitment and their monogamous natures."

"But you just said JC was a slut." Aubrey reminded her in confusion.

Rachel laughed.  "When he's not in a relationship he is." She nodded.  "But once he's in a relationship with someone he's committed a hundred and ten percent and the same is true of Justin."

Aubrey looked down at the table, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth as she thought about what Rachel had told her.  "How did you get over the whole 'celebrity' aspect with JC?"

"What do you mean?" Rachel asked.

"How did you finally accept that he really wanted to be with you and not one of the other millions of girls he could have because of who he is?" Aubrey questioned her.

"I'm not going to lie and say that wasn't an issue for me, because it was--especially since it was a year between our first and second meetings." Rachel told her.  "But he quickly became 'just a guy' to me the more time that I spent with him and got to know him as a separate identity from his celebrity persona.  It took a while, but eventually I realized what he'd been telling me was true.  He loved me."

"How did you know?" Aubrey prodded.

"It was the little things." Rachel replied.  "He made me an ice pack when I hurt my knee, he got me an I-pod for my birthday and loaded a playlist on there with songs he'd picked out for me, and he bought me onion rings when I was sick.  He cooked for me, and he has a special smile that's just for me.  It was the late night phone calls, the flowers...all the little every day things that made him into an every day guy for me.  And, even though he was a celebrity and I had to get used to that lifestyle, he's just a guy that I love and who I know loves me."  Aubrey remained quiet as Rachel continued.  "You have to watch out for the little things." She told Aubrey.  "The way he smiles when you walk into the room, the way he touches you, the way he remembers little details about you and conversations you've had, the way he makes you feel like you're the most important woman in the world with just a look. 

"You also have to realize that this is just a job to him.  Instead of being a doctor or a mechanic his job is: he's a musician and a celebrity.  That's all it is.  You and I both know that Justin is still a small town Southern boy at heart.  It just so happens that everyone in the entire world knows who he is." They both chuckled.

"Just relax." Rachel continued.  "Don't stress yourself out about this.  When you're ready, you'll know.  It'll just...feel right and you won't even think about it.  It'll just happen." She smiled at Aubrey.

"You're right." Aubrey nodded.

"Of course I am." Rachel grinned.

"Thanks." Aubrey told her once again grateful she had a friend like Rachel in her life.  She was the only one who semi-understood the situation she was in with Justin because of who he was and what he did for a living. 

"You're welcome." Rachel replied.  "Now," she said, tucking her hair behind her ears.  "Let's get down to this cake business.  I think I like the double chocolate cake the best but I'm still seriously debating whether or not to just have cheesecake.  What do you think?" She asked.  "Can I have cheesecake at my wedding?"

Aubrey laughed.  "It's your wedding." She reminded Rachel.  "I'm pretty sure you can have whatever you want." 

End Notes:

Anyone else excited that "Bones" is on twice this week?  Love me some David Boreanas!  Mmm-mm good...  :) 

Chapter 22 by azchickadee
BlueJay: Hey pretty girl!

Aubrey looked up from her Childhood Development textbook as the instant messenger icon popped up onto her computer screen a week later.  She smiled as she read Justin's message.  Pulling one leg up on the chair she was sitting in she typed back.

Freckles: Hi!  How did recording go today?

BlueJay: Ugh!  I forgot how big a pain in the ass JC is in the studio.

Aubrey laughed--picturing the scowl she was sure was on Justin's face as he grumbled about his band mate.  The guys had been in Tennessee all week--and were planning on being there for at least another one--working on their CD.  They had decided, along with Johnny, that the five of them getting together to record in L.A. was going to draw too much attention to the fact that they were getting back together.  They weren't ready to publicly announce the reunion yet, and were still trying to keep everything quiet. 

BlueJay: He's a Nazi.

Freckles: lol...I'm sorry.

BlueJay: It's okay.  He's just a perfectionist.

Freckles: That's a good thing though, right?

BlueJay: Yeah.  Except when it keeps me away from you :)

Aubrey smiled, wishing he were here too. 

Freckles: I miss you, too.

BlueJay: Remind me why I'm here and you're there?

Freckles: You're being kind of whiney tonight...are you okay?

BlueJay: Yes.

Freckles: Did something happen today?

BlueJay: No.

Freckles: *raises eyebrow* 

Freckles: Somehow I'm not convinced...lol...what can I do to make you smile?

Justin remained quiet for a moment and Aubrey laughed out loud when he finally responded.

BlueJay: Talk dirty to me.

Freckles: I'm sorry.  You must have forgotten who you were talking too.  It must be your other girlfriend who does that for you.

BlueJay: No.  I'm talking to the right girl.  Come on, talk dirty to me.

Aubrey stared at her computer screen, her mind blank.  I don't know how to talk dirty!  She thought, lifting her hand to her mouth as she began chewing on her thumbnail in thought.  What in the world do I say...

"Oh, thank goodness!" She exclaimed when she heard a knock at the front door.  After telling Justin that she'd be right back, Aubrey jumped up and went to answer the door, hoping inspiration would hit her by the time she got back to her computer.  "Rachel!" She said in surprise as she opened the door. 

"Hi." Rachel smiled.

"What are you doing here?" Aubrey asked, opening the door and letting the other girl in.  "You're not in Tennessee?"

Rachel looked around her.  "The last time I checked I was in California.  Isn't that where we are right now?" She asked with a teasing grin.

Aubrey rolled her eyes as she laughed.  "I just assumed..."

"Jace told me I wasn't invited." She replied with a pout.

"Really?" Aubrey asked.

"Well...not in so many words, but that's what he meant." Rachel answered.  "And anyway, when he's focused on his music that is all he's focused on.  I wouldn't have really seen him even if I did go out there with him, so I stayed home.  What are you up to tonight?" She asked as she followed Aubrey back into the kitchen.

"Homework." Aubrey replied.  "And talking to Justin." She pointed at her laptop. 

Rachel leaned over and read the last thing Justin had said to her before Aubrey could minimize the conversation window.  She let out a gasp.  "Aubrey Davis!" She exclaimed.

"What?" Aubrey asked, feeling her cheeks warm in embarrassment.

"A little digital get down?" Rachel asked with a teasing glint in her eyes.

"What?" Aubrey asked confused and Rachel sighed heavily.

"I have so much to teach you." Rachel replied under her breath as she shook her head. 

BlueJay: I'm waiting...

"I'm just going to tell him you're here and we can talk later." Aubrey said, beginning to type that message to Justin.

"No!" Rachel exclaimed, pulling the laptop away from her. 

"What are you doing?!" Aubrey replied, trying to take her computer back.  "Give that to me!" She laughed.

"Nope." Rachel shook her head. 

Freckles: What are you wearing?

"Rachel!" Aubrey exclaimed in shock.  "You can't--" 

"Quiet" Rachel told her.  "Watch...and learn." She grinned evilly.

BlueJay: What are you wearing?

Freckles: I asked you first.

"It's all about being coy." Rachel told Aubrey as they waited for Justin's response.

BlueJay: What if I said nothing?

"Oh brother!" Rachel laughed as she rolled her eyes.  "Call him on it." She said, scooting the laptop back over to Aubrey.

"What?" Aubrey asked looking at her like a deer caught in the headlights. 

"Do you really think he's not wearing any clothes right now?" Rachel asked, lifting one brow in disbelief. 

"No." Aubrey shook her head.

"Then call him on it."

Freckles: I'd say you were lying.

BlueJay: And if I said I wasn't?

Freckles: I'd say prove it!

"That's good!" Rachel said with a laugh.  

BlueJay: I would if you were here.

BlueJay: Are you going to tell me what you're wearing or do I just have to imagine it?

Aubrey looked over at Rachel.  "What do I say?" She asked.

"The key with flirting is to say the first thing that comes to mind." Rachel told her.  "Don't think about it too much.  Just have fun." She smiled.

Freckles: What would you imagine?

BlueJay: That's easy.  It's not that hard to imagine you're here with me.  All I have to do is close my eyes and I can see you on my couch like you were that night at my house a few weeks ago.

Aubrey drew her bottom lip between her teeth as a smiled spread across her face at Justin's admission--warmth spreading through her at the memory his words caused. 

BlueJay: Except there's something I add to my imagined image of you.

Freckles: And what's that?

BlueJay: A tattoo.

BlueJay: Just a little one.  On your hip, like we talked about.

"You guys have talked about you getting a tattoo?" Rachel asked in surprise.

"Yes." Aubrey replied, refusing to meet her friend's gaze when she made a noise of interest.

Freckles: You really want me to get that tattoo, don't you?

BlueJay: Oh yeah.

BlueJay: Nothin' sexier ;)

"Now what?" Aubrey asked Rachel.

"Uhh...I have no idea." Rachel replied with a shrug.

"You're no help." Aubrey scowled as she looked back at her computer screen.

"Sorry." Rachel laughed.  She thought for a moment.  "Tell him there are other things that are sexier."

"I can't say that!" Aubrey exclaimed.

"Why not?" Rachel asked.

"Because we haven't done any of that yet!"

"So?" Rachel shrugged.  "Just type it." She pointed at the laptop.

Freckles: I can think of a few things that are sexier.

BlueJay: Except you won't let me do any of them with you.

"See!" Aubrey exclaimed, pointing at the screen.  Rachel laughed.  "I told you!"

BlueJay: I don't think you realize it, but you're slowly killing me.

"Please stop killing him." Rachel said casually.  "The world's not ready to mourn the loss of Mr. SexyBack."  Aubrey laughed. "Put him out of his misery."

"Soon." She said, giving Rachel the answer she'd given Justin a few weeks ago. 

"I don't know how you're able to say no to him." Rachel shook her head in amazement.

"Like this," Aubrey replied.  "No."

"Brat." Rachel laughed, pulling out her cell phone when it vibrated in her pocket.  Aubrey watched as a smile came to her face that could only mean one thing: JC.  Aubrey watched as Rachel became distracted with answering his text, breathing a silent sigh of relief.  As much as she loved Rachel it was becoming increasingly uncomfortable to have her sitting there, looking over her shoulder as she flirted back and forth with Justin.

BlueJay: Don't get me wrong, I love what you do to me but...is there any chance you're going to let me find out what some of those sexier things are pretty soon?

Freckles: Maybe.

BlueJay: Maybe?! 

BlueJay: What the hell does that mean?

Freckles: Don't be mad.  I'm trying.

Justin was non-responsive for a minute and Aubrey was afraid she'd pushed it too far tonight.  I knew this was a bad idea.  She thought.  She glanced over at Rachel, who had gotten up and was standing over by the counter still texting JC--a goofy grin on her face.

BlueJay: I know you are.  I'm sorry.  I just...

BlueJay: At the risk of sounding all sappy and romantic: I love you and I want to share that with you. 

Aubrey sat back in her chair, feeling guilty.  She knew he was having a hard time being patient and she felt bad for leading him on with this conversation tonight--even though it had been his idea in the first place.

"Rach?" She turned to look at her friend, hoping she'd have some words of advice as to what she should say to Justin.

"Huh?" Rachel looked up briefly but her focus was against drawn down as she got another text.  She giggled as she read whatever JC had sent her.  "I gotta go." She said, looking up at Aubrey. 

"But..." Aubrey trailed off, looking back and forth between Rachel and her computer screen.

"Sorry." Rachel replied as she quickly made her way to the front door.  "I'll call you tomorrow.  Bye!"

Aubrey sat, staring blankly at the front door where Rachel had just disappeared.  I don't...she trailed off as she received another message from Justin.

BlueJay: You still there?

Freckles:  This is killing me, too.

BlueJay: Why are we both suffering when there's something we can do about it?  It's easy.  I say, "Are you ready?" And you say, "Yes."

BlueJay: Are you ready?

Aubrey's fingers hesitated over her keyboard.

Freckles: No.

BlueJay: What are you afraid of?  Is it me?  Is it something I've said or done?

Freckles: It's not you.  It's me.

BlueJay: Bullshit! 

BlueJay: That's the answer girls give when they don't want to have to say the truth.  Tell me the truth Aubrey.  We've been through too much to lie to each other now.

Aubrey tapped her fingers against the table as she chewed on her bottom lip--debating on if she should tell him her reasons for saying no.  What the heck?  She finally thought with a sigh and began typing.  Something about the anonymity of cyberspace gave her the confidence she lacked in real life to tell him her true feelings.

Freckles: I'm afraid.

Freckles: I'm afraid of disappointing you.  I'm afraid of looking in your eyes and knowing you wish I were I like any of the other women you've been with after its all said and done. 

Freckles: I'm afraid of giving in and sharing that part of myself with you only to have it ruin what we have together.  I can't imagine my life without you anymore and I'm terrified of losing you over this.

Aubrey swiped at the stray tear that had escaped as she'd typed and sat, waiting for his response.  Her heart beat painfully in her chest as the seconds ticked by and she began regretting what she'd just told him.  She stared at the silent screen, willing the icon to pop up that indicated he was typing a response, but nothing happened.  I shouldn't have told him.  She thought shaking her head.  Her stomach churned and she felt sick.  I knew it.  I knew telling him was a bad idea...

She trailed off as her phone suddenly began vibrating on the table next to her laptop.  Aubrey's heart leapt in her throat and she stared at it for a second before reaching out with a trembling hand.  She knew who it was before she read his name on her screen and she swallowed nervously as she opened the phone and pressed it against her ear.

"First of all," Justin said before she could even say hello.  "I need to tell you that I'm sorry if I have ever given you the impression that I was comparing you to anyone else.  If I've done so it was unknowingly and I apologize.  Secondly," he continued.  "I don't know how to convince you other than to just tell you that you are the only woman I am ever thinking about--regardless of whether you're sitting right next to me or there are almost two thousand miles separating us."  He paused.  "I am so in love with you, Aubrey, it drives me crazy.  I can't close my eyes at night without seeing your face.  I can't get through the day without thinking of you about a million times--wondering what you're doing or how you would react in a given situation.  I want to call you about a hundred different times a day--sometimes just so I can hear your voice--and it kills me that you don't believe me when I tell you that I love you."

Aubrey let out a sob as he finished.  She could hear the emotion in his voice, which only prompted more tears on her part and she wished he were there to wrap his arms around her.  She needed the comfort and reassurance his hug would give her.  She hated that she still harbored some doubt after what he'd just told her, but she had to know.  She had to be sure.  Wiping at the tears that were falling over her cheeks she took a deep, steadying breath. 

"Why me?" She asked her voice thick with emotion.  She put a hand over her eyes as her tears started again.  "Why?  Out of all the women around the world who would willingly be with you, why have you chosen me?  I don't understand."

Justin was quiet for a moment then let out a whispered curse.  "Damn it!  I wish I were there right now and I'd show you why!"  He took a deep breath.  "You are unlike any girl I've ever met, Aubrey.  To be quote a movie I saw a few years ago, ‘You are everything I never knew I always wanted.'" He paused.  "I never know what surprises you're going to pull on me and I love not knowing what to expect whenever I'm with you.  I can't wait to see what new little thing I'm going to learn about you each time we're together.  You're beautiful and sexy and you can turn me on with just a look.  You've never been afraid to be yourself around me and you're one of the few people I know that I can truly be myself around and I know that you'll still love me no matter what-dorky habits and all." 

Justin let out a heavy sigh and Aubrey pictured him dropping down onto a couch or a chair as he continued.  "I know I was a fool and I didn't see you for what you were right away, but I see it now.  I fought against them at first, but I...I couldn't hide from my feelings for you for long.  They were powerful and undeniable and there from almost the first moment I met you.  I love you, Aubrey Janae," he vowed--the power and emotion behind his words causing more silent tears to slip down her cheeks.  "More than anything in this world and I wish-with all my heart-that you would believe me."

They were both quiet for a moment.  There were so many thoughts and emotions swirling within her that Aubrey had no idea which one to focus on first.

"Please believe me."  Justin pled quietly as she remained speechless.  "I love you.  If I were there..." He trailed off.

"What?" She asked, finally speaking.  "If you were here, what?"

"For starters, I wouldn't let you tell me ‘no' again." He replied emphatically, making Aubrey's stomach quiver.  "I'd show you that you have nothing to be afraid of."  His voice lowered and Aubrey closed her eyes, leaning her head back against the chair she was sitting in.  "And I'd love that gorgeous body of yours until you believe everything I just told you and know without a shadow of a doubt that you are the only woman I want and need."

Aubrey found it hard to breathe at the images his seductive words provoked.  "When are you coming home?" She asked breathlessly, blurting out the first thing that came to mind without thinking.  Justin chuckled softly, his laugh low and sexy in her ear causing her to shiver.  She could see the seductive grin she knew was on his handsome face and she wished she could kiss his perfect mouth--taste the honesty of his words on his lips.

"Next Wednesday." He answered.  She heard a commotion in the background on his end and he groaned.

"Do you need to go?" She asked, guessing at the reason behind his frustration.

"Yes.  Damn it!" He swore.

"It's okay." She assured him, nodding though he couldn't see her.  "I'm okay."

"Are you sure?" He asked.  "Tell me the truth cuz I can tell the guys--"

"I'm okay." Aubrey repeated.  "I promise."

Justin was quiet for a moment then, "I want you to do something for me." He said. 

"Okay."

"If you don't have it, I want you to buy the Celebrity album we did then I want you to listen to ‘Something Like You.'  Can you do that?"  He asked.

"I think I can manage that." Aubrey smiled, trying to remember if she'd heard the song he was referring to before.  Rachel had given her all those CD's for her birthday but, after the initial listen through of them, she hadn't really listened to them again. 

"That song is you and me."  He told her.  "Will you listen to it for me?"

"Yes." She promised.

"I gotta go." He replied, the conflict in his voice evident over the phone.  He didn't want to have to say good-bye anymore than she did.

"Justin?" Aubrey asked before he left.

"Yeah?"

"I love you." She told him.

"I love you." He replied. 

They said their good-byes and Aubrey ended the call.  Wiping the remaining moisture from her face she pushed her chair back and stood.  After taking a deep breath, she walked down the hall to her bedroom in search of the song she had promised to listen to. 

I should have given in to Rachel's pushing a long time ago. 

~~~~~~

A week later...

Aubrey pushed the hair out of her eyes as she stood outside and turned the key in the lock.  She almost dropped the bags and CD player in her hands as she let herself into Justin's house Wednesday afternoon.  She had to slip in quickly before Buckley and Brennan could escape and she laughed as the boxers greeted her excitedly.

"Hi guys." She said kicking the door shut behind her then made her way towards the kitchen, trying not to trip over the dogs.  Justin had asked her before he left if she would take care of Buckley and Brennan and she'd come over every day to play with and feed them.  She usually took them out for a walk.  However, today they'd have to just be okay with getting fed and then being put out in the backyard.  She had plans that needed to be set in motion and she was running out of time.  

She'd taken off work an hour early but she was afraid she wasn't going to get everything done before Justin got home.  Aubrey set the bags she was carrying down on the counter and turned to look at the boxers, her hands on her hips.  "You guys hungry?" She asked.  Brennan barked in answer and Aubrey laughed.  "Alright, come on." She said, walking into the laundry room.  After filling their food dishes and giving them some clean water she went back into the kitchen.  Pulling her hair up in a loose ponytail she tugged at the vest she was wearing and began unpacking the groceries she'd just bought.  Her cell phone vibrated in her pocket and she pulled it out.

I've got a surprise for you when I get home.

Aubrey smiled at Justin's text.  "I've got a surprise for you." She replied with a grin as she typed a quick response.

And when will that be?

The dogs came back into the kitchen then and Aubrey set her phone down on the counter as she led them towards the back door.  Once they were outside and out from being under her feet while she cooked, she picked her phone back up.

Probably about an hour.

She looked at the clock on the wall and smiled.  Perfect. She thought.

I can't wait.  I miss you.

Slipping her phone back in her pocket, Aubrey turned the oven on to preheat and began opening cupboard doors--searching for a mixing bowl.  Her stomach fluttered nervously when she let herself think too hard about what she was planning on doing.  Taking a deep breath she leaned over and plugged in the CD player she'd brought.  Turning it up she forced herself to concentrate on the music playing and the pizza dough she was making.  She eyed the bottle of wine she'd bought at the store.  She wasn't really a big drinker, but knew Justin would appreciate having the wine with dinner.  Grabbing a glass from the cupboard she uncorked the bottle and poured a little of the liquid into it and took a sip. 

Just a little.  She thought taking another sip before she got to work, hoping the alcohol would calm her nerves.

~~~~~~

Justin dropped his bags to the floor as he walked into his house less than an hour after texting Aubrey.  Several things registered at the same time. 

Number one: his dogs were missing.  Every time he came home Buckley and Brennan all but mauled him but they were nowhere in sight

Number two: the house smelled amazing!  A mouth watering aroma filled the air and his stomach rumbled, suddenly reminding him it had been far too long since he'd last eaten.

Number three: someone was singing enthusiastically--albeit a bit off key--in the kitchen.  The fact that it was a woman singing, and that it was Carrie Underwood she was singing along to, told him who the mystery singer was.

Aubrey.

Justin smiled as he went in search of her.  He'd been gone for two weeks and, ever since their talk last Tuesday, all he had wanted to do was hold her in his arms and kiss her beautiful mouth.  He needed to look into her eyes and see for himself whether or not she finally believed what he'd told her.  He stopped as he rounded the corner and stood--mesmerized--as Aubrey continued to sing and dance along to the CD playing, completely oblivious to his appreciative stare.

It amazed him how much his memory paled in comparison to her actual beauty.  The black vest she was wearing over her white shirt outlined her perfect curves and he watched as her jean-clad hips moved back and forth enticingly.  She kept her back to him as she began belting out the second verse to the song.

We left the club right around three o'clock in the morning.

His Pinto, sitting there in the parking lot, well it should have been a warning.

I had no clue what I was getting into, so I blame it on the Cuervo.

Oh, were did my manners go?

And I don't even know his last name.

Oh, my mama would be so ashamed.

It started out, "Hey cutie, where ya from?"

And it turned into, "Oh, no.  What have I done?"

And I don't even know his last name.

Finally, he couldn't wait any longer and stepped up behind her, snaking one arm around her waist he placed a hand on her stomach and drew her back against him as he kissed her neck.  "Hey cutie, where ya from?" He whispered repeating the words she'd just sung and laughed at her startled gasp.

Aubrey turned quickly in his arms, her eyes lighting at the sight of him.  "Justin!" She exclaimed, a huge smile spreading across her face.  She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him enthusiastically, causing him to have to take a small step backwards to brace himself.  To say he'd been unprepared for the energy of her reaction was an understatement, but his surprise only lasted a moment before he was quickly taking advantage of the situation.  He wrapped his arms around her waist as he tilted his head to the side, deepening their kiss and smiled against her lips as he heard her quiet moan.  Aubrey's fingers curled around his neck and a shudder ran down his spine.

Needing to gain some leverage he took a few steps forward.  Pushing Aubrey back against the wall, their mouths continued to move against each other--their tongues meeting again and again.  It was like he had been lost in the desert and her kiss was the water he'd been in desperate need of.  He couldn't get enough of her. 

After a few more impassioned moments, he pulled back.  His chest rising and falling deeply as her eyes opened and connected with his.

"Hi." He said his lips lifting in a smile as he kissed her once more.

"Hi." Aubrey giggled, her hands running down his chest and stomach and around his waist--tugging him closer.  Her eyes sparkled.

"Did you miss me?" He asked lifting his hands as he cupped her face. 

"Nope." Aubrey shook her head slowly, fighting to keep a straight face.  Justin narrowed his eyes as he pressed his weight against her fully.  She laughed as she tightened her arms around him.  "Of course I missed you." She whispered, kissing the corner of his jaw.  "But the better question is, did you miss me?" She asked looking up at him through her lashes.

"Maybe..." He drawled, watching her closely.  She drew her bottom lip between her teeth and he felt his desire flare as she slipped her hands beneath the hem of his T-shirt. 

"I really missed you." She told him quietly, her lips brushing along his jaw.  "I've been waiting for you."

"Oh yeah?" He asked.

"Mmm-hmm." She nodded, her hands becoming bolder as they roamed over his skin.

Justin swallowed.  "What have you been doing while you were waiting?" He inquired, trying to force his mind elsewhere though his body refused to follow suit.  He found himself beginning to wonder what it would feel like to have her warm hands on other parts of his body.

"Cooking." She whispered as she placed her lips against his ear.  Justin leaned into her more, his mouth suddenly going dry.  He tried not to let it, but hope began flaring in his chest.  Maybe their talk last week had removed the last barrier between them.  Was it possible she was finally ready to take the next step?  Was she finally going to let him love her the way he'd been wanting to for so long?

"Cooking what?" He breathed a groan escaping as she took his earlobe between her teeth.  Damn it, she knew just what to do to him!  He couldn't control the shiver that ran down his spine.

"Pizza." She told him.  Justin opened his eyes finally taking in the state of his kitchen.  He'd been too preoccupied before watching her to notice the dishes in the sink and the flour all over the counter.  He looked back down at Aubrey.  It was a wonder she wasn't covered in flour herself. 

"You know the way to my heart." He grinned.  Aubrey smiled, an evil glint in her eyes as her hands lifted the hem of his shirt higher and she slid down the wall suddenly.  Justin let out a curse and he had to brace himself against the wall as his knees about gave out when she pressed her lips against his stomach.    

"Damn it, woman!" He cursed, his chest rising and falling heavily as Aubrey let out a sultry laugh.  What a way to come home...

"Who are you and what have you done with my sweet, innocent little Aubrey?" He mused and Aubrey giggled again.  He closed his eyes as he swallowed, trying to control the overwhelming urge to pick her up, throw her over his shoulder, haul her upstairs, and have his way with her.  But he couldn't!  He was suddenly reminded of the "surprise" he'd texted her about an hour ago and his eyes popped open. 

Damn it!  Why?  He questioned, his eyes lifting heavenward.  Why now?  Aubrey seemed to be leading him down the path he'd wanted to travel with her for the last few weeks and he cursed fate.  It seemed the universe was against them ever making it to the next level.

He pulled back from her.  "Aubrey," he breathed.  "Aubrey, we can't--" His eyes suddenly caught sight of a half empty bottle on the counter.  "Are you..." He looked back at her--a light suddenly went on inside and he narrowed his eyes as he looked down at her.  As much as he loved it when she was confident in her affections towards him, Aubrey was usually more reserved when she initiated anything between them. 

Until now.    

"How much have you had to drink?" He asked pulling her up to stand once more in front of him.  He searched her eyes.  While he wasn't complaining about her sudden lack of inhibition, he didn't want her drunk when she finally allowed him to love her.  He wanted to make sure she remembered every detail of the experience.

She smiled.  "Just a little bit." She replied, holding up one hand--her thumb and forefinger close together.  "Why?" She asked placing her hand against his chest and running it up his shirt--her fingers sliding around his neck again.

He stepped back from her, taking her hands in his and sighed as he heard the front door suddenly open and close.  Just in time. He thought.  He had a feeling this situation was going to be awkward enough without them being found in the middle of an intimate moment.

"Justin?" A feminine voice called out.  Aubrey turned towards the sound of the intrusion then back at him with wide eyes.

"Who...?" She asked her breathing picking up speed.

"Do you remember that surprise I told you about earlier?" Justin asked.  Aubrey pulled her hands from his and pushed him away as an older woman walked into the kitchen. 

"Hello!" The woman smiled warmly as she saw Aubrey.  "You must be Aubrey."

Aubrey turned to look at Justin.  "Surprise?" He shrugged, feeling a bit sheepish.

"I'm Lynn." Justin's mother said, reaching her hand out towards Aubrey.  "It's nice to finally meet you."

Chapter 23 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
We're getting towards the end, guys :(  This story is starting to wrap up.  It's been a crazy ride, so far...
"Why didn't you tell me your mom was with you?!" Aubrey hissed as she got three plates out of the cupboard.

"I didn't know you were going to be here waiting for me!" Justin replied in defense as he took the plates from her.  "If I'd known you were drunk and waiting to jump me," he continued with a teasing grin, "I wouldn't have--"

"I'm not--" Aubrey began loudly then dropped her voice back down to a heated whisper.  "I'm not drunk!" She told him.  Not anymore. She thought, disgusted with herself.  The quick transition from attempting to seduce Justin to the surprise of meeting his mother had done its job in sobering her up.  She had been humiliated at the thought of what Lynn had almost walked in on and incredibly grateful that Justin had pulled her up and had put some space between them before she had come into the kitchen.  If she had only been a minute earlier her first introduction to Aubrey would have been to see her on her knees in front of her son. 

What a great first impression that would have been!  Aubrey thought sarcastically with a grimace.  She closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. 

"Are you okay?" Justin asked, reminding her of his presence.

"I have a headache." Aubrey told him honestly.  The alcohol she'd consumed on an empty stomach and the effects of her adrenaline rush wearing off were starting to catch up with her.  She heard him open a draw behind her and turned around.

"Here." He said, opening the bottle in his hand and shaking out a couple pills.

"Thank you." Aubrey smiled as she took the aspirin from him.  She dumped out the remaining wine that was in her glass and filled it with water instead.  Quickly swallowing the medicine she took a deep breath then turned and made her way out to the dining room.

"Are you mad at me?" Justin asked putting his hand on her arm.

Aubrey stopped and looked over at him.  "No." She shook her head.

"Promise?" He asked, turning to face her.  He put his other hand on her opposite arm. 

"Yes." Aubrey assured him.  "I'm not mad at you."  I'm mad at myself for getting drunk and thinking I could pull this off.  "I just..." She sighed.  "I was just looking forward to spending some time with you tonight.  It's been two weeks..." She trailed off as she looked down at the floor in disappointment.   

"Hey," Justin said quietly.  He put the fingers of one hand under her chin and lifted her face to look at him.  "What do you say you and I go somewhere this weekend?" He smiled, his eyes sparkling.  "Somewhere we won't be interrupted and we can be alone?" He looked at her with a hopeful expression and Aubrey's heart fluttered in her chest.  His hand moved up to cup her cheek--his thumb brushing across her skin.  Aubrey smiled and leaned towards him, accepting his kiss.

"I just have one condition." Justin said, pulling back just enough to look in her eyes.  His warm breath fanned against her lips causing a shiver to skirt down Aubrey's spine.

"What's that?" She breathed leaning into him-completely forgetting the fact that his mother was sitting in the next room waiting for them.  Justin kissed her again--slowly this time, and deliberately.  Aubrey let out a breathy sigh as he pulled away again.

"No alcohol." He told her, the intense look in his eyes making her stomach quiver.  "I want you sober the first time I make love to you.  I want to make sure you're going to remember everything in the morning."

Aubrey swallowed as she was consumed by tingles-her knees almost buckling at Justin's words and the seductive look on his handsome face.  "Damn you!" She told him.  How in the world was she supposed to go out there and sit at the dinner table with his mother and pretend she wasn't about to jump out of her skin?  How did he expect her to get through this with any semblance of sanity and normalcy saying things like that and getting her all flustered? 

Justin pulled back and looked at her in surprise, an amused smile on his face.  "Did you just curse at me?" He asked. 

"Yes!" She replied in exasperation.

"First I come home to find you drunk, and now you're swearing?"  He chuckled and she scowled as she slapped his chest with the back of her hand. 

"You're a bad influence on me." She replied with a pout.  This whole evening was turning out to be one huge disappointment. 

"Baby, you have no idea." Justin replied with a confident smirk and an evil glint in his eyes.  "But you will." He promised as he picked up the plates he'd set down a few minutes ago.  "You will."

~~~~~~

"Take a look at these," Rachel said the next day as the girls met for lunch.  "And tell me what you think."  She handed Aubrey several catalogues with different pages flagged.

"What am I looking at?" Aubrey asked, flipping to the first marked page.

"Bridesmaid dresses!" Rachel replied scooting her chair closer. 

"Rachel..." Aubrey groaned.

"I sent Megan a copy of each of the ones I liked and she said her favorites were these two." Rachel continued as she picked up one catalogue and flipped to a specific page.  "But if you don't like them, that's okay." Rachel smiled.  "Megan's pretty easy going.  I'm sure she'll be okay with whatever?"

Aubrey said nothing as she continued flipping through the catalogue in her hands, though she wondered if Megan really would be okay with "whatever."  With a sigh she tried to swallow her distaste of the task in front of her.  Whether she liked it or not, she was going to have to wear something to the wedding.  At least Rachel seemed to be giving her the option to pick what she wanted to wear, which she should be thankful for. 

"This one's kind of cute." She said, turning the catalogue towards Rachel as she pointed at the one that had caught her eye.  "It's even pictured in the color you want." The chocolate colored dress was strapless and the slightly flared skirt fell just below the knees of the model.  It was cute and simple and Aubrey was surprised as how much she actually liked it. 

"Awesome!" Rachel exclaimed pulling some post-it notes from her purse and placing one over the picture of the dress.  "Okay." She said.  "Good.  We can look for something like that this weekend."

"This weekend?" Aubrey asked, looking at Rachel in question. 

"When we go look for your dress." Rachel told her.  "We're getting down to the line here." She continued.  "We've got to find something pretty soon."

Aubrey laughed.  "You're not getting married until May, Rachel!" She reminded her friend.  "That's still eight months away!  We don't have to find a dress this weekend.  Besides," Aubrey continued, closing the catalogue and attempting to appear non-chalant.  "I can't do anything this weekend with you.  I...I have other plans."

"Other plans?" Rachel asked.  "What other plans?"

"None of your business, other plans." Aubrey replied without thinking.  As soon as the words were out of her mouth she knew she shouldn't have said them. 

"None of my business?" Rachel asked, looking at her with calculating eyes and Aubrey cursed the fact that she could feel her cheeks starting to warm.  "Are they perhaps plans involving Justin?" Rachel needled. 

Aubrey remained silent.  She really didn't want to talk about her plans for the weekend.  Not only did she want to keep them to herself because it was kind of personal and special but the more she allowed herself to think and talk about what she was going to be doing this weekend the more anxious she became.  She finally felt like she was ready to take this next step, but she was still nervous and scared.

Rachel lifted one brow--a smirk on her face--at Aubrey's silence.  "What are you guys doing this weekend?

"We're..." Aubrey paused.  "We're...going away for the weekend." She replied vaguely.

Rachel put her elbows up on the table and leaned closer.  "Where are you going?" She inquired. 

"Why do you care?" Aubrey asked, taking a drink of her water. 

"Just tell me." Rachel replied.

"You're not going to let this go, are you?" Aubrey asked.

"Nope." Rachel shook her head.

"Has anyone ever told you you'd make a good reporter?" Aubrey replied with a roll of her eyes.  Rachel just smiled and Aubrey sighed heavily.  "We're going up to Big Bear." She told Rachel.  "My parents have a time-share up there.  We..." she stopped.  "He's been gone the last couple of weeks with the guys--as you know--and we just want to spend some time together.  What's that look for?" She asked at the devilish grin spreading across Rachel's face.

"Are you guys..." Rachel trailed off, one eyebrow lifting suggestively and Aubrey again felt her cheeks warm.  "It's about damn time!" Rachel exclaimed excitedly and Aubrey groaned again as she covered her face with her hands. "Alright," Rachel continued as if Aubrey's discomfort didn't even register.  "Since you've never done this before," she whispered with a grin.  "Here's what you need to do--"

"I don't need a sex talk, Rachel." Aubrey stopped her as she lowered her hands.  "My mom took care of that awhile ago." She assured her overly excited friend.

"That's not what I'm talking about." Rachel told her, waving her hand through the air.  "Justin will take care of all the mechanics of it, I'm sure." She continued and Aubrey wanted to disappear.  Please kill me now.  She pled in embarrassment as Rachel went on to talk about what kind of lingerie Aubrey needed to buy, and to make sure to have some candles to help set the mood.  "You might want to pick up some champagne and strawberries." Rachel continued.  "Aphrodisiacs, you know." She smiled.

Aubrey lifted one brow.  Does it have to be this complicated? She wondered.  She felt like telling Rachel that they didn't need all of that stuff.  The few times they'd gotten pretty heavy with each other they hadn't needed candles or champagne and strawberries.  Plus, Justin made me promise there wouldn't be any alcohol involved this weekend.  She mused.  Justin also hadn't seemed to have any complaint with what she'd been wearing the last time they'd come close to sleeping together--but she knew that would start an entirely new topic of discussion with Rachel that she didn't really want to bring up.

"I can go with you." Rachel offered in response to Aubrey's blank stare.

"What?  No!" Aubrey insisted. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."  Aubrey nodded emphatically.  "If I decide to buy something I'm sure I can pick it out myself."

"If?" Rachel asked.  "What do you mean if?"

Aubrey sighed.  "I'm not...I don't think lingerie is really my thing." She said.

Rachel laughed.  "You're probably not going to be in it for long."

"Exactly." Aubrey nodded.  "I don't understand why you spend money on something that's not really worth it."

Rachel smiled.  "For the look in his eyes." She sighed.  "That's why.  Trust me.  It's worth it."

Aubrey felt a tingle go through her at the thought of Justin seeing her in something as sexy and revealing as lingerie.  She remembered the way he had looked at her when she'd been lying on his couch in just her bra, and then the look on his face when she'd been wearing his T-shirt and boxers to bed.  Justin wanted her no matter what she was wearing but maybe Rachel was right.  Maybe she needed to buy something special for the trip.  Whether or not I'll actually have the courage to wear it, is another thing.  She mused.

"Promise me you'll buy something." Rachel said.

Aubrey took a deep breath and finally nodded.

"Good." Rachel grinned and Aubrey laughed in spite of herself, the action relieving some of the stress she had been feeling.  "I don't think I've ever been up to Big Bear." Rachel continued.  "Is it pretty up there?"

"Yes." Aubrey nodded.  "I love it and I hope Justin will too."  She paused, as a thought came to her.  "If the press finds out where we are this weekend..." Aubrey pointed her finger at Rachel threateningly. 

"My lips are sealed." Rachel promised.  "They won't find out from me."

Aubrey smiled.  "Alright," she said with a good-natured roll of her eyes.  "Show me these other dresses you liked..."

~~~~~~

"I bought something for you." Justin said as he and Aubrey walked towards his car late Friday afternoon.

"Really?" Aubrey asked looking up at him.  "What?"  She was tense, he could feel it.  He needed to loosen her up--make her laugh--or his plan for this weekend wasn't going to work. 

"Something I told you I was going to get you a long time ago." He answered vaguely.  Aubrey's brows furrowed as they reached his Escalade parked at the curb outside her grandmother's house and he grinned.  He opened the door to the backseat and took her duffle bag from her.

"How long ago?" Aubrey asked as he put her bag in the car.

"Our first date." Justin replied, wondering if she'd remember what he was referring to.  It hadn't initially started out as a "date," but as he'd looked back on everything they'd done together since they'd met he'd realized that's what it had been. 

"I don't remember you promising me anything when we went golfing last month." She replied referring to the first date they'd had after officially deciding to date after Rachel and JC's Fourth of July barbeque. 

"No." He shook his head as he closed the back car door and opened the passenger side door.  "Our first date." He said, turning and leaning over the front seat as he grabbed the bag holding her present.  He straightened and turned once more to face her.  Hiding the bag behind his back he chuckled at the completely confused look on her face and couldn't help thinking how absolutely adorable she was.

"Paint balling?" She asked and he nodded.  Her eyebrows rose in surprise, a smile slowly spreading across her face.  "Paint balling was our first date?  Really?"

"Well, yeah." He replied.  "Don't you think so?"

She shrugged her shoulder as she looked down at her feet.  "Yeah." She replied, looking back up at him.  "I just didn't think you did." She told him.  "We weren't together then."

"It was still a date." He grinned.

Aubrey smiled.  "Okay," she said tucking her hair behind her ears as she cocked her head to the side.  "What did you promise to get me that day?  I don't remember."

Justin gasped and put a hand over his heart.  "You don't remember?!" He exclaimed.  "I'm hurt, Aubrey Janae." He told her, shaking his head. 

Aubrey laughed as she stepped towards him, putting her arms around his neck.  "I'm sorry." She pouted as she leaned up and kissed him.  "Remind me."

"I've spent the last three months looking for this," he continued as she kept her arms around his neck, playing up the part of the martyr. "I felt bad that I'd told you I was going to get it for you and never did, and thought you'd be all excited about it but you don't even remember!"  He sniffed dramatically and put one hand over his eyes.  Aubrey laughed again.  "And now you're laughing at me!" He accused lowering his hand to look at her. 

"I'm sorry." Aubrey told him again, struggling to keep a straight face.  "Give me a hint." She said.

He looked at her for a moment, thoroughly enjoying this.  "I called you something that day." He said.  "Do you remember?"

"Yes." She nodded.  "Xena."

"Well, at least you remember that." He muttered under his breath as he rolled his eyes.  Aubrey slapped his shoulder playfully and he smiled.  He pulled the bag he was holding in front of him.  Aubrey dropped her arms and took a step back from him.

Justin made a show out of pulling out what was in the bag.  Aubrey looked at him expectantly and he wanted to kiss her.  He finally pulled out the Xena: Warrior Princess T-shirt he'd found while in Tennessee last week and held it out in front of him.   Aubrey laughed as she reached forward and took the shirt from him. 

"I love it!" She exclaimed, taking it from him. 

"You told me if I got you a T-shirt, you would wear it." Justin reminded her. 

Aubrey smiled as she put the shirt over her head and pulled it down over what she was already wearing.  She pulled out the hem of the shirt as she looked down at the TV show's logo that was now blazoned across her chest then looked up at him with a grin.

"What do you think?" She asked pulling her bottom lip between her teeth, her eyes sparkling enticingly. 

She was so adorable and he was completely in love with her!  He couldn't help the smile that came to his face.  "My Warrior Princess." He said, putting his hands on her face as he stepped towards her and pressed his lips against hers.

~~~~~~

Aubrey tilted her head as Justin's lips pulled at hers.  She wound her arms around his neck again as he lowered his hands and put his arms around her waist, pulling her against him.  She'd been so nervous the last two days thinking about everything involved with this weekend away with him, but now all the anxiousness seemed to disappear.  She should have known he would take care of her.  His show of giving her the T-shirt was just what Aubrey needed to feel more at ease.  He really was too good to her.  Justin pulled back finally, his blue eyes meeting hers, and Aubrey smiled as she ran her fingers through his short hair.

"You have to wear that now, whenever we go paint balling again." He told her.

She smiled.  "I will.  I told you I would."

They stood there for a moment just looking into each other's eyes and Aubrey's heart skipped at the depth of emotion she saw in his azure eyes.  He really loved her.  She could see it.  She could feel.  Rachel's words from a few weeks ago came back to her.  When you're ready, you'll know.  It'll just...feel right and you won't even think about it.     

"Are you ready?" He asked as if he knew the direction her thoughts were taking.  The double meaning behind his words made her heart skip again.

"Yes." Aubrey breathed as she leaned towards him, kissing him softly.  "I'm ready."    

~~~~~~

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Aubrey asked a few hours later as she stood at the kitchen sink in the condo her parent's had bought into a few years ago.  She ran the tomato she was about to cut up under the stream of water.  The drive up to Big Bear had been uneventful and, after a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up some food, they'd made it up here in good time.

"I think you're cute." Justin told her from where he sat at the bar--watching her.  "I like looking at you."  Aubrey smiled and felt her cheeks warm slightly.  "And I love that I can still make you blush." He continued with a teasing grin, his blue eyes sparkling.  Aubrey smiled as she pulled a knife out of the drawer. 

"Here." She said, handing him the tomato and the knife.  "Make yourself useful."

"Yes, ma'am." He replied, snapping his hand up in salute as he took the items from her.

Aubrey laughed.  "You're a dork." She told him as she pulled out the small package of ground beef she'd bought from the fridge.  Unwrapping the meat from its plastic covering she began making what had always been her family's tradition when they came up here: tacos.

"But a cute dork, right?" Justin asked her.

"Yes." Aubrey smiled at him.  "A very cute dork."

"Is it always this quiet up here?" Justin asked as he bent his head and concentrated on cutting the tomato.

"Yeah." Aubrey told him.  "I love it." She sighed.

"What do you usually do up when you come up here?" He asked.  "I've only been up this way once or twice to ski."

"Usually nothing." She told him.

"I hope we're going to do something." Justin replied suggestively.  "Otherwise--why are we here?" He looked at her and Aubrey's stomach quivered slightly.  She smiled as she went back to working on the tacos. 

"I always come up here with plans to do all these different things, but most of the time I just end up curling up on the couch or out on the porch with a book."

"Hmmm." He hummed and they were both quiet.  "Alright, here you go, AJ." He said a moment later.

"AJ?" Aubrey laughed as she looked up at him in question.

Justin grinned.  "I'm trying to see if I can find a nickname that fits you." He told her, handing the knife back to her. 

"AJ?" She questioned as she dropped the knife into the sink.

"Yeah.  Aubrey Janae.  AJ!" Justin told her as he folded his arms and leaned over the bar towards her. 

"I'm not sure I like that one." Aubrey said, scrunching up her nose as she thought about it.

"No?" Justin asked.  "Okay." He shrugged.  "I thought it was kind of cute.  How about...Bre?"

"No!" Aubrey exclaimed.

"Wow!" Justin laughed.  "Didn't expect that reaction.  Such hatred..."

"It's not hatred so much as..." She paused.  "That's what Andrew called me." She explained.

"Ugh!" Justin replied, a look of disgust on his face.  "Right.  No, ‘Bre.'"

"Do I need to have a nickname?" Aubrey asked as she took the plate of tacos over to the oil heating on the stove.

"No..." He drawled.  "I guess not."

"I like that you call me Aubrey Janae." She smiled at him over her shoulder.  "Nobody else does that." She watched as Justin got up and came to stand next to her.

"You got it, Aubrey Janae." He told her, tucking her hair behind one ear before he leaned down and kissed her.  "Now," he said, putting his hands on his hips when he pulled back.  "Finish dinner, woman." He commanded with a teasing sparkle in his eyes.  "I'm starving."

Aubrey laughed as she turned and put the first taco into the pan, the hot oil popping and sizzling at the contact.  "Watch it, Superstar." She told him.  "Or we really will be doing nothing this weekend." 

Justin chuckled as he wrapped his arms around her waist from behind.  Resting his chin on her shoulder he kissed the side of her neck.  "You smell good." He said, burying his face against her neck.  Aubrey shivered.  "You always smell good."

"Quit distracting me." She told him.  "Or we'll never eat."  Justin sighed dramatically as he let her go and Aubrey laughed again.  "Why don't you set the table?" She suggested.  "These are going to be done pretty soon."

"The things I do for you." Justin muttered under his breath.

"Oh brother." Aubrey rolled her eyes.  She laughed as she looked over at him.  "You are such a brat sometimes!" Justin just grinned then leaned over and gave her a quick kiss. 

"Where are the plates?" He asked.

"In the cupboard next to the fridge." She told him, letting out a sigh as he turned from her.  Her eyes quickly scanned over his backside and she had to suppress the tingle that went through her.  He really did bring sexy back.  She thought and had to force herself to concentrate on cooking the tacos instead of fantasizing what it was going to be like when they finally slept together.  A small voice in the back of her mind whispered that the reality of Justin was sure to be better than any fantasy she could come up with and Aubrey felt a slow smile spread across her face.

She couldn't wait to find out.

~~~~~~

"Mmm...I love kissing you." Justin murmured against Aubrey's lips as her fingers curled around his neck.  After they'd eaten and cleaned up dinner they'd started a fire--though the one between them was burning hotter than the one in the fireplace at the moment.

Aubrey moaned as she moved to straddle his legs and Justin groaned as he moved one hand up--his fingers tangling in her hair as his other hand moved up her thigh to grip her hip.  Their kisses were long and slow--each one taking their time, striving to memorize the other's mouth.  Aubrey's hands moved over his face, her fingers then threading through his hair--her touch driving him crazy.

He'd never wanted anything as badly as he craved this woman.  The addictive taste of her kiss, the incredible feeling of having her body next to his, her intoxicating scent...he couldn't get enough!  The thought that he was finally going to be able to share his love with her in the way he'd been dreaming about for so long quickened his desire.  Aubrey finally pulled away from him, releasing his mouth as she struggled for breath.

"This is the most fun I've ever had up here." She told him, a sexy grin making her eyes sparkle. 

He laughed as he pulled her back down, his lips pressing against hers again.  "We're just getting started, sweetheart." He told her, his mouth moving against hers as he spoke.  Aubrey opened her eyes to look at him and he felt her smile against his lips. 

The love he felt for her overwhelmed him in that moment.  Her beautiful eyes seemed to see straight into his soul and he found himself doubting that he was worthy to love her.  She was everything he'd ever wanted and so much more.  She was sweet, kind, beautiful, and good.  She was normal and down to earthShe was smart, funny and sexy and he didn't understand why she had chosen to waste her time with him.  He was grateful that she had--and he wasn't going to question it--but he still didn't understand.  With all the things he'd done in his life, how was it possible that he was sitting here now?  With her?

"Are you okay?" Aubrey asked, concern clouding her eyes.  She placed a hand against his cheek.  Justin turned his head to press his lips against her palm.  He closed his eyes as he inhaled.

"Perfect." He replied, looking back at her.  He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against him.  Aubrey put her arms around his waist as she snuggled close to him, resting her head against his shoulder-her nose brushing the skin on his neck. 

"I didn't know if I was going to make it these last two weeks without you." She said quietly, her warm breath on his neck causing him to shiver.  "What am I going to do when you go out on tour?"

"Come with me." He said, tightening his arms around her.  The time away from her had been hard on him too and the thought of being away from her for the months that a tour would take made his chest hurt. 

"We have to be realistic, Justin." Aubrey told him with a sigh.  "I have a job--two jobs, actually--and I'm going to school.  I can't just quit and go on tour with you.  What happens when it's over?  We'll come back, but I won't have a job anymore and I'll still be working on my generals.  I'd like to finish my degree and start teaching before I turn thirty."

"You will." He told her.  She tightened her arms around him.   

"I'm really going to miss you." She said softly.

"Hey," He said, pulling back.  "Look at me." Aubrey sat up.  "I'm not leaving tomorrow." He told her, placing his hands on either side of her face.  "We're not even sure if there's going to be a tour." He continued.  "That all depends on record sales and lots of other variables."

"There'll be a tour." She told him. 

"This is who I am, Aubrey." He sighed.  "I'm a musician.  Part of my job is going out on tour."

"I know." She hung her head.  "But that doesn't mean I have to like it."

Justin put his fingers under her chin and lifted her head back up.  "It's going to kill me being apart from you too, but we'll survive." He assured her.  "How?" He asked, reading the unvoiced question in her eyes.  She nodded.  "Late night phone calls, an occasional visit and one hell of a reunion when I get home."  She let out a soft laugh, a smile coming to her face.  "We're not the first couple that has gone through periods of separation due to one or the other's work schedule, and we won't be the last." He continued as Aubrey lay back against him again.  "I mean, look at Rachel and JC.  How do you think they're going to survive?"  He laughed as he wrapped his arms around her.  "They can't keep their hands off each other.  He's going to be really cranky out on the road.  Instead of worrying about how we're going to make it being apart, I think you should worry about JC killing us all one day when something doesn't go his way."

Aubrey laughed as she hugged him tightly and kissed the corner of his jaw.  Justin twisted his body as he lay down, stretching out lengthwise as he rested his head on the arm of the couch.  He closed his eyes as Aubrey relaxed against him, one of her hands reaching up to run rhythmically through his hair. 

"I love you." She said quietly, her lips brushing along his jaw. 

"I love you." He replied, closing his eyes. 

The pleasant weight of Aubrey lying on top of him, her fingers massaging his scalp and the warmth emanating from the fireplace all combined to work against the plans he'd had for this evening.  As hard as he fought against it, he was exhausted.  The last two weeks had been non-stop work trying to get the album put together and this was really the first time he'd had a chance to slow down and relax.  He wanted to continue what they'd started moments ago but he couldn't.

We've got all weekend.  He told himself as he shifted slightly, already dozing off.  He just prayed Aubrey would understand and wouldn't be too upset. 

~~~~~~

She was cold. 

Aubrey shivered as she attempted to snuggle closer to the body next to her, seeking the warmth he could provide.  Justin groaned as he tightened his arms around her.  Their fire from the night before had long since gone out and the early morning chill in the house was quickly chasing away any hope of falling back to sleep.  Aubrey opened her eyes slowly.  It was still mostly dark outside, but the sky was light enough for her to see the man beside her. 

She looked at Justin, a smile spreading as she watched him sleeping.  Last night hadn't really gone the way she had expected it to, but she wasn't upset.  He had been tired--she had seen it in his eyes when he'd come to pick her up yesterday--and she knew he needed to sleep more than anything else.  Since she'd known him he'd always had a million things going on at once, but with everything that had happened in the last month it had been like he was in overdrive, trying to drown himself in work to hide from his stress and anxiety over...

Aubrey stopped herself.  No.  I don't want to think that.  She thought as she closed her eyes.  Not this weekend. She pled.  Please.  This was their time.  She didn't want to think about what she knew Justin was really worried about.  She knew what it was--she was worried about it too.  It was the dark cloud hanging over their relationship that they couldn't escape.  Justin shifted beside her on the couch and she opened her eyes.

"Justin?" She whispered putting a hand to his face.  She hated to wake him up but he couldn't be comfortable scrunched up on the couch with her like he was.  "Justin?" She asked, a little louder this time.

"Hmmm..." He groaned. 

"Let's go to bed." She told him, leaning forward to place her lips against his.  Slowly he opened his eyes and looked at her sleepily.  Aubrey smiled as she ran her thumb along his bottom lip.  "I'm freezing." She said.  "And you'll be more comfortable in bed than out here on the couch."  She nudged his chest and he finally stood up, letting out another groan as he lifted his arms above his head to stretch.  She watched, her mouth suddenly going dry and her eyes widening, as the action lifted his shirt--revealing a good portion of his stomach to her view.  Aubrey wanted to reach out and touch him like she had the first time that skin had been exposed to her.  She wanted to kiss him like she had that night on his couch a few weeks ago.  She wanted him to look at her again like she was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen.  She wanted...

Justin cleared his throat and she looked up at him guiltily then chastised herself.  She had nothing to feel guilty about!  It wasn't a sin to think your boyfriend was sexy and feel an overwhelming desire for him, was it?  And if it is, I'll gladly go to hell for it.  She thought as she finally stood next to him. 

"Come on." She said taking his hand.  "This way."

~~~~~~

Justin willingly followed along as Aubrey led him through the darkened condo.  His body was stiff from being curled up on the couch all night, but he didn't care.  He was still half asleep and the only thing going through his head at the moment were thoughts of crawling beneath the covers, and holding Aubrey in his arms as he slept for about twelve more hours.  Aubrey let go of his hand as they entered the bedroom and he reached for the bag he'd brought and tossed in here last night.  As she disappeared into the bathroom, Justin left his T-shirt on but quickly changed into the pair of sweats he'd brought to sleep in.  He knew he probably needed to brush his teeth--he didn't really want to scare Aubrey away when she came to bed--but he didn't have the energy to even do that. 

Looking around the room he spotted Aubrey's purse and walked over to it.  Picking it up, he looked inside quickly.  "Success." He whispered as he pulled out a piece of gum.  Popping it into his mouth he set her purse back down on the floor.  After chewing for a minute he spit it back out into the wrapper and tossed it into the trashcan beside the bed.  With a yawn he pulled back the covers of the bed and lay down, his eyes closing once more the moment his head hit the pillow.

~~~~~~

Aubrey pulled back her hair as she spit out the toothpaste in her mouth.  She hadn't brushed her teeth last night before she and Justin had fallen asleep and she hated the bad taste it had left in her mouth.  Rinsing her mouth off she straightened, wiped her hands on the towel hanging up and turned to leave.  Her stomach fluttering nervously as she opened the bathroom door.

"You're being ridiculous." She told herself quietly.  "You've slept in the same bed with him before.  It's no big deal and..." She frowned--her body slumping slightly.  "And he's already asleep."  She took in Justin's sleeping form as he lay on his side taking up a large portion of the bed.  With a sigh of disappointment she turned off the bathroom light and made her way over to him. 

As she crawled beneath the covers Justin reached out reflexively and pulled her towards him.  Aubrey closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep but she couldn't.  She had always been the type that once she was awake it was near impossible to fall back to sleep.  Normally that aspect of herself didn't bother her so much, but in this instance, it was frustrating.  It wasn't very much fun being the only one awake when you were sharing a bed with someone you were insanely attracted to and loved and wanted to get closer to.       

"Justin?" She whispered, scooting even closer to him under the covers. 

"Mmmm..." he hummed and she smiled.  Maybe he wasn't as far gone as she thought.

Aubrey brushed her lips along his jaw as she ran her hands over his chest.  You can sleep later.  She wanted to tell him.  I'm done waiting.  They'd come up here for a very specific reason and she didn't want to put it off any longer.

"Do you remember when you came home on Wednesday and we talked about coming up here?" She asked, her lips finding his.  She nibbled at his bottom lip and smiled as she finally felt his body responding to her the way she wanted; his hand tightened at her waist as she pressed her lips fully against his--kissing him warmly.

"Mmm-hmm." He nodded once as he kissed her back, his tongue seeking and finding entrance into her mouth.  He kept his eyes closed as he continued to kiss her thoroughly.

Aubrey pulled back, laughing softly as Justin followed her.  His eyes were still closed, a frown creasing his face at the loss of the contact between them.

"Come back." He said.  "I wasn't done kissing you."

She reached one hand up, her fingers tracing over his lips.  He kissed her fingertips and she smiled as her stomach quivered.  "You told me you wanted me to remember everything in the morning." She told him.  His lips stilled as an expectant pause fell between them.  "It's morning." She whispered, her heart fluttering in her chest as she waited for his response.

Justin's eyes opened and connected with hers and Aubrey felt a rush of goose bumps consume her.  "I'm done waiting." She told him, voicing the thought she'd had a moment before and wondering where this newfound confidence was coming from.  Nine months ago, when they'd first met, she never would have believed she would be lying here, saying these things to him.  Justin just lay there looking at her like he couldn't believe what she'd just said either--his blue eyes searching hers.

"Am I dreaming?" He asked, fully awake now.  Aubrey shook her head.  "I'm asleep, aren't I?"

"Do you want me to wake you up?" She teased, her lips lifting slightly. 

"No." Justin replied as he leaned forward, capturing her lips with his.  Aubrey let out a soft moan as Justin pressed her back onto the mattress, his lips leaving hers and trailing down her neck as his hand smoothed down her side--resting on her hip.  She wound her arms around his neck as she turned her head slightly, her lips finding and taking his earlobe between them.     

Justin let out a groan and pulled back.  Moving one leg over hers so he was straddling her, he went up on his forearms--keeping most of his weight off of her as he looked down at her.  "Do you have any idea, what you do to me?" He asked, his fingers combing through her hair.  "I love you." He told her, his eyes holding hers--refusing to let them go.  "So much it hurts sometimes.  I never thought I could be as happy as I am with you, Aubrey; as happy as you've made me the last few months."

Aubrey smiled as she blinked rapidly, trying to clear her vision from the tears that were threatening to fall at Justin's ardent declarations.  She swallowed hard against the lump in her throat.  "What did I do to deserve you?" She wondered aloud as she put a hand against his face.

"I--" He began, but Aubrey shook her head as she put a finger against his lips--silencing him.

"Let me finish." She told him.  "You--Justin Timberlake--are sexy and dangerous and entirely too overwhelming for me most of the time." She admitted, making him chuckle.  "But you are also one of the sweetest, most genuine and sincere men I know.  From day one you've accepted me and who I am.  You've respected me and haven't pushed me for anything more than I was ready to give.  You stood quietly by while I refused to listen to my heart and chose to be with someone else." She ran her hand over his face.  "You are everything my heart has been looking for; everything I never thought I would find-or be able to have.  I walk around and feel like I've won the lottery most days." She told him, trying to hold back her tears.  "I know love is a game of chance but..." she stopped, trying to control her emotions.  "But I won!  Somehow," she sniffed.  "I won."  She was quiet for a moment.  "And I'm not going to let fear hold me back anymore." She told him.   

"Say the words, Aubrey." Justin replied, his blue eyes dark as they searched hers and Aubrey felt her heart expand even more with the love she felt for him.  He wanted this just as badly--if not more--than she did, but he wasn't going to do anything until she told him it was okay.  "Say the words." He pled quietly as he lowered his mouth to hers--their lips barely touching as their breath mingled.

Aubrey closed her eyes.  "Love me, Justin." She breathed as his lips finally captured her own.  "Please."

Chapter 24 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
I'm posting this early because this next week is going to be a little crazy/busy for me with school and work!  Hope you guys like it and that it lives up to your expectations!  :)
He was at a loss for words. 

For a man whose chosen career revolved around finding the right words to express any thought or situation he was completely lost as to how to describe what he was feeling at the moment.  It was like everything in his life had been leading and pushing him to this very moment and now that he was here, he was finally complete.  He turned his head slightly--looking at her--the realization washing over him that he had never truly made love to anyone before now.  The depth of his feelings for her and the bond they shared surpassed anything he had ever experienced in his life.

The room around them became progressively lighter and the sun continued to rise as Justin turned on his side.  Propping himself up on one elbow he reached a hand out and gently ran the back of his fingers across Aubrey's cheek.  She let out a soft sigh as she continued to sleep and he smiled sadly.  The only dark spot in this whole situation was the fact that he had caused her pain.  It had been unavoidable--there was no way around it and he had known it was going to happen--but he still hated the fact that he had hurt her.  He had gone slow, hoping to make it as painless as possible for her, but she had still cried out--the sound ripping at his heart.  He had held her tightly, told her he loved her and whispered that he was sorry.  She had whimpered softly as she put her arms around him but her eyes had been full of nothing but love and trust as she had looked up at him. 

He felt the weight of that love and trust even now and it was incredible to him that she loved him that much and had allowed him to give her this moment.  He closed his eyes as he lay down once more.  Putting his arms around her Justin drew Aubrey close to him--molding his body around hers.  He had been her first, but she was now his last.  He would never love another as much as he loved her, and he didn't want anyone else for the rest of his life.  She completed him.  

"You are my everything." He whispered, though she was asleep and couldn't hear him.  "I love you."

~~~~~~

"Do you have any three's?" Justin asked.

"Go fish." Aubrey told him. 

"Let me see." He said leaning across the bed towards her.

"No!" Aubrey exclaimed with a laugh as she held her cards close to her chest.  "Stop cheating!"

"I'm not cheating." Justin insisted.  "I'm just looking."

"Looking is cheating!" Aubrey laughed.  "Go away." She put her hand on his chest and pushed him away.  "Stay on your side of the bed." She pointed to where he was supposed to be sitting.

Justin narrowed his eyes at her as he sat back down and drew a card from the deck sitting between them.  He looked at it then added it to his hand.  "Your turn." He told her. 

Aubrey looked down at the cards in her hand.  "Do you have any--"

"Go fish." Justin told her before she finished. 

"Five's?" She asked with a laugh at his petulant behavior. 

"Damn it!" He exclaimed.  "Are my cards see-through?" He asked looking at the back of the cards he was holding than handed over the card she'd requested.  Aubrey giggled as she took yet another card from him then lay down the set she'd completed. 

"Your turn." She smiled sweetly at him.  It was early afternoon but they were still lounging around in bed-neither one of them making any moves to change that.  Aubrey found her eyes wandering over Justin's bare chest and her stomach tightened at the memory of what they had shared earlier this morning. 

There were no words to adequately describe the experience.  She had been right--the reality of Justin's love was so much more than she had ever imagined or fantasized about.  He was incredible and she was still breathless from it!   She closed her eyes briefly as her mind and body vividly recalled how it had felt to have him love her.  The feel of his hands on her body, the taste of his kiss and the sound of his voice as he had praised her name and pledged his love to her...

"Earth to Aubrey." Justin snapped his fingers in front of her face.  "Hello?"

"Sorry." She shook her head and looked at him.  His brows were lifted as he looked at her in question.  "What did you ask for?" She asked as she tucked her hair behind her ear. 

"Do you have any sevens?" He questioned, his blue eyes watching her closely. 

"Go fish." She told him and he let out a growl of frustration as he reached for the deck of cards again. 

Aubrey shivered at that sound coming from him; having Justin sitting two feet away from her wearing only a pair of grey sweatpants was making it hard to concentrate on the game.  Good thing it's just Go Fish.  She thought wryly.  He had wanted to teach her how to play poker but she knew there was no way she would have been able to focus on learning all the rules--not with him sitting in front of her shirtless! 

"That's it!" Justin exclaimed as he threw his cards down on the bed beside him.  Aubrey looked up at him, startled at his outburst.  "I'm done with this game."

"What?" She asked.  "Why?" 

"Because I'm losing." He told her.  "And because I think you're cheating."

"What?" Aubrey laughed.  "I am not cheating!" 

"Then let me see your cards." He demanded, holding out his hand.

"No." Aubrey shook her head as she held her cards against her chest.  "Just because you're rich and famous and used to getting your way all the time doesn't mean--" She let out a squeal as Justin suddenly pounced on her and giggled as he pushed her back on the bed.

"Let me see them." He laughed, his blue eyes sparkling.

"No!" She exclaimed, laughing as he tried to wrestle her cards away from her.  When he suddenly began tickling her she gave in.  "Okay, okay!" She relented through her laughter as she squirmed beneath him.  "Stop, I'll show you!"  Justin pulled back, going up on his knees as he sat straddling her waist.  They were both breathing heavily, but smiling.  "See?" She said, showing him the cards in her hands.  "No three's or seven's."

Justin took the cards from her and tossed them behind him without even looking at them as he leaned over her-his hands pinning her wrists above her head.  Aubrey's heart skipped at the look in his eyes and her mind returned to her thoughts of a moment ago.  "I don't cheat." She told him quietly as a shiver ran down her spine.

"Yes you do." He replied as he hovered above her.  "What you do to me is completely unfair."  He closed the space between them, capturing her lips.  Aubrey let out a quiet moan as he kissed her thoroughly.  She struggled to free her wrists from his grip-desperate to touch him--but Justin wouldn't let her go.  He finally released her mouth and licked his lips, the hungry look in his eyes making her stomach quiver.  "You've been cheating since day one." He told her. 

When he at last let go of her wrists, Aubrey wound her arms around his neck and pulled him down towards her.  "How about a new game?" She asked, placing a series of small kisses to his perfect mouth. 

"Mmmm..." Justin moaned-kissing her back.  "What do you have in mind?" He questioned as he pressed his lips along her jaw, finally reaching the sensitive skin below her ear.  Aubrey tilted her head to the side to give him better access and closed her eyes as she let out a breathy sigh.  He shifted above her and she instinctively moved her legs--hitching one around his hip.  Justin let out a low groan at her action and settled his weight more fully atop her.

"I think you're getting the idea." She breathed as Justin's lips roamed down her neck and throat.  "But you're the one cheating right now." She told him--surprised she could think enough to form a complete sentence, let alone speak it aloud.

"How so?" He asked as he pulled back and looked into her eyes.  He lifted one hand--his fingers caressing her skin as he looked at her in adoration. 

"You're the one not wearing a shirt right now." She told him, kissing his thumb when he placed it against her lips.   An evil grin spread across his face.

"Well," he said, lifting a brow as he went up on his hands.  "I can take care of that."

Goose bumps enveloped her as he slid his hands down her body, his fingers slipping beneath the hem of her shirt.  His eyes connected with hers as he slowly lifted the material up and over her head and Aubrey shivered slightly as he placed his warm hands once more on her sides.  Justin ducked his head as he placed several strategic kisses to the skin that was now exposed to him and Aubrey ran her fingers through his hair. 

"Do you have any two's?" He asked and she laughed as his eyes met hers again. 

She shook her head.  "Go fish." She told him as he hovered above her again.  He smiled and she tightened her arms around him as he pressed his mouth to hers.

"Next time we're playing poker." He murmured against her lips and she giggled.  "Strip poker."

~~~~~~

"What are you doing?"

Rachel glanced up at JC as she sat on their bed Saturday afternoon then looked back down at her cell phone.  "Texting." She replied.  "What does it look like?"

JC flopped down on the bed beside her.  "Who are you texting?" He asked.

"My lover." Rachel replied matter of factly.

"I'm right here, woman!" He told her.

"Oh, not you." She informed him.  "Steve." She said, saying the first name that came to mind.

"Excuse me?" JC exclaimed going up on one elbow beside her.  "Who's Steve?"  He asked her, grabbing for her phone.  Rachel laughed as she twisted away from him, putting her back to him as she continued typing out the message she was trying to send.  JC sat up as he wrapped his arms around her from behind--still trying to get her phone away from her.

"Would you stop?" Rachel laughed, slapping his hand away.  "I'm just sending a text to Aubrey."  She continued, trying to keep him from getting her phone.  

"Leave her alone." He told her, finally wrestling her phone away from her. 

"But, I--"

"Leave her alone, Sass." He repeated as he flipped her phone shut and tossed it towards the end of the bed.  Rachel huffed as she turned to face him. 

"I just want to see how things are going." She told him but he shook his head and Rachel pouted.  "You're no fun." She told him.  JC quirked up a dark brow as he looked at her and Rachel's heart skipped at the devilish look in his blue eyes.

"I thought you had enough going on with all this wedding stuff you've been dealing with, and trying to convince Megan she needs to move here to leave Aubrey alone for the weekend, but apparently not." He told her.  "You need another distraction."

"Is that an invitation?" Rachel asked, going up on her knees as she placed her hands on his face.  JC's hands came up to encircle her waist and he pulled her against him and she smiled.  "‘Cuz you can distract me whenever you want, pop star."  She told him as she pressed her lips against his.

~~~~~~

JC soon took charge of the kiss as he wrapped his arms around Rachel.  He twisted his body and laid her back on the mattress as her fingers tangled in his dark hair--her lips moving insistently against his.  The spark that had been there from the first day he'd met her was still there, always waiting for the perfect moment to ignite a fire between them and he prayed it would never go out.  That would be a dark day, and one he had no desire to ever experience. 

He pulled back and looked down at Rachel, watching as her eyes slowly opened.  The same dreamy quality that had clouded her beautiful brown eyes the first time he had kissed her was still there and he smiled.     

"Listen, are you going to distract me or what?" She asked with a teasing grin.  "‘Cuz I don't have all day..."

He narrowed his eyes at her as he settled his weight atop her.  "I'm gettin' to it, Sassy Pants.  Hold your horses."

"I'd rather be holding you." She replied coyly.  "And besides, I'm not wearing any pants."

JC laughed.  "I'd rather you were holding me too." He said.  "And I'm glad you're not wearing any pants." He lifted one brow as he looked down at her, a smirk on his face.  "It's certainly going to make this a hell of a lot easier for me."

"So let's get to it." Rachel smiled as she pulled him down and kissed him.

"One question though." JC said as she continued placing small kisses to his lips. 

"What?" She asked distractedly.

"Who's Steve?"     

~~~~~~

"Do you ever wonder who originally thought it was okay to eat certain things?" Aubrey asked Saturday evening.  She ran her thumb along the edge of the s'more she'd just put together and looked over at Justin.  Before she could lick off the melted chocolate she'd gotten on herself, Justin reached other and grabbed a hold of her wrist.  She watched as he brought her hand to his mouth, his tongue darting out to run along the pad of her thumb--licking away the chocolate.

Aubrey shivered as his eyes connected with hers-her stomach tightening.  Is this normal?  She wondered.  Was she supposed to still feel this overwhelming desire for him?  She had assumed that once they had slept together her craving for him would relent but if anything it was stronger than ever.  Justin tugged on her wrist, pulling her close as he kissed her. 

"No." He said pulling back, his eyes sparkling.  "But I'm sure glad someone came up with these."  He told her, holding up the s'more he held.  "Good call on buying this stuff last night."

Aubrey grinned.  "We always make these when we come up here." She told him as she took a bite of the gooey treat.  "It's a tradition we started a few years ago." 

"How did it start?" Justin asked.

"What?" Aubrey questioned. He took a bite and Aubrey smiled as he got melted marshmallow on his face.  His tongue darted out to lick it away. 

"Um..." she shook her head trying to clear her thoughts of Justin and looked back at the fire burning in front of them in the fireplace in the bedroom.  "A storm." She told him.  She shifted slightly as she sat cross-legged next to him and tucked her hair behind one ear.  "We came out here one summer and there was this huge thunderstorm that knocked out the power.  We could have left and just driven back down to the valley, but we all came in here instead."  She looked around the room they were sitting in.  "We built a fire and made s'mores.  It's one of my favorite vacation memories." She smiled.  "And ever since then," she shrugged.  "S'mores are required eating up here."  She finished off her s'more then reached for the bag of marshmallows.  Skewering it on the end of one of the wire hangers they were using, she stuck the marshmallow over the glowing embers in front of them. 

"What is your family like?" Justin asked her.  Aubrey looked over at him, her brows furrowed slightly.  "I've only briefly met your brother once." He reminded her.  "What's he really like?  What are your parents like?"

"Um..." Aubrey paused, her attention focused on the marshmallow roasting in front of her.  "Michael--my brother--" she explained looking over at Justin briefly.  He nodded.  "Michael is my best friend.  We kind of didn't have a choice growing up, but to hang out with each other.  It's hard, always being the new kid in school--never knowing how long we were going to be in one place."  Aubrey rotated the marshmallow so it toasted evenly.  "My mom..." she sighed.  How could she explain her mother?  "My mom has always been supportive.  I know she loves me and only wants to best for me but she sometimes thinks she knows what the ‘best' is, when really she has no idea." She chuckled.  "I love her, but sometimes..." Aubrey shook her head as she rolled her eyes. 

"And your dad?" Justin asked.

"Wasn't around a lot." She replied, looking over at him.  "The only time we really got to spend time with him was when we came out here to visit my grandparents but he did come to each of my swim meets when he was in town."  She smiled as she took her marshmallow out of the fire.  "Hey!" She exclaimed with a laugh as Justin took the marshmallow from her roasting stick--sandwiching it between two graham crackers and a piece of chocolate.  "That was mine!" 

Justin grinned seductively as he held the s'more out to her and Aubrey leaned forward.  Keeping her eyes locked with his she took a bite, her tongue darting out to catch the crumbs that fell on her lips.  Aubrey just wanted to climb into his lap and beg him to love her again.  But she forced herself to look away from him.  Twenty-four hours ago they had been able to carry on a conversation without ripping off each other's clothes; surely they could sit here and make s'mores without winding up in bed.  Couldn't they? 

"What do they think of me?" He asked, sounding a bit wary.

"My parents?" Aubrey asked.  Justin nodded.  "They're...hesitant." She told him honestly.  She pulled her knees up as she put her arms around her legs.  Aubrey rested her chin on her knees, becoming hypnotized as she stared at the flames before her.  "They think I'm crazy for wanting to be with you.  They're afraid of it ending badly.  They're afraid of you hurting me." She turned, resting her cheek on her knees as she looked at him.  His blue eyes held hers steadily as he stared at her. 

"I'm just going to have to prove them wrong then, aren't I?" He asked. 

Aubrey smiled.  "What about your family?" She asked turning the conversation to him.  "I really like your mom." She told him.

"And she really likes you." Justin replied. 

"Yeah?" Aubrey asked, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth.  Aside from the dinner the three of them had shared Wednesday night, Aubrey hadn't had a chance to spend very much time with Lynn.

"Yeah." He grinned.  "She said--and I quote--‘you're sweet, and adorable and a breath of fresh air.'  Apparently, you're exactly the kind of girl she's been praying that I would find and end up with.  She thinks you're perfect for me--and I tend to agree with her."  He winked at her and Aubrey smiled.  "She said you're exactly the kind of girl I need-a girl who fits comfortably into every aspect of my life and who I am."

"She said all of that?" Aubrey asked in disbelief.  Justin nodded.  "About me?"

"Who else am I dating?" He asked with a smile, his eyes sparkling as he reached his hand out-his fingertips trailing over her cheek.  "I'm afraid you're kind of stuck with me now." He grinned and Aubrey laughed.

"There's nowhere I'd rather be." She replied as she lowered her knees and leaned towards him.  Placing her hands on his face she pressed her lips against his--kissing him warmly.

Justin put his hands on her upper arms as he deepened the kiss and pulled her closer to him.  He soon released her arms--one hand sliding up to cup the back of her head, while his other arm went around her waist--and she felt herself being lowered down to the floor as he twisted his body above her.  Winding her arms around his neck she moaned softly and willingly surrendered to the passion building between them.     

~~~~~~

Justin pulled back as Aubrey let out a soft moan and grinned as he ran the fingers of one hand down the side of her face.  She let out a breathy sigh and he leaned down, kissing her beautiful mouth once more.  The hand that had traced her cheek and jaw line continued its downward trek until he came to the top button of the black, short-sleeve shirt she'd put on a few hours ago when they'd finally decided to get out of bed and get dressed. 

Without much thought, and without breaking the seal of their lips, his fingers expertly undid each of the buttons running down the front of her shirt.  He shifted above her as he spread apart the piece of fabric and placed his hands at her waist.  Aubrey's lips broke away from his and she sucked in a breath as her back arched slightly at the contact--his body instantly reacting to her.  Her eyes opened and she looked up at him, her chest rising and falling rapidly.  He leaned down, pressing his lips first to the corner of her jaw and then to her neck as he breathed in her familiar and intoxicating scent. 

"Justin..." she breathed, desperation lacing her voice as one of her hands moved up into his hair.

He pulled back, looking down at her, and marveled once again at her beauty.  She was stunning!  The way she looked now--her hair spread out around her, her bewitching eyes soft and dreamy and her lips red from his kisses--took his breath away.  He lifted one hand, cupping her cheek, and watched as she turned slightly--her lips pressing against his palm.

"You've done it again." He mused quietly.  Her brow furrowed slightly as she looked up at him in question.  "I-I..." he shook his head in frustration at his stumbling.  "There are no words."  He told her.  "I don't know how to explain how you make me feel or what I see each time I look at you.  I wish I could describe it..." He paused then slowly sat up. 

Aubrey watched him quietly--sitting up herself as he stood before her.  She ran a hand through her hair and he held his hands out to her.  He knew where this was going and he didn't want it to happen on the floor.  There was nothing romantic about the floor. 

As she stood before him, Justin slid his fingers inside her shirt and slipped the fabric over her shoulders and down her arms.  "Beautiful doesn't even come close to what you are." He told her as he pressed his lips to her left shoulder.  Aubrey melted against him as she put her arms around him.  He slowly kissed up the smooth column of her neck, stopping just below her ear.  "You are breath-taking." He whispered.

~~~~~~

Aubrey put her hands on Justin's face, forcing him to look at her.  Her entire body was awash in tingles at his words and the feel of his lips on her skin.  Her heart thumped in her chest and she felt as if it were going to explode with all the love she felt for him.  How was it possible to love somebody so much you felt like you would literally die without them?  Loving Justin was like breathing--she couldn't survive without either one of them. 

"I love you." He vowed as he leaned forward and pressed his lips against hers softly. Aubrey wound her arms around his neck as she leaned into the kiss and Justin bent down slightly.  Wrapping his arms around her hips he lifted her feet off the ground and carried her the few steps to the bed. 

As he lay her down on the mattress and crawled up above her--his mouth moving against hers passionately--Aubrey couldn't help marveling at everything that had happened between them in the last twenty-four hours; at everything that he had said to her.  She loved him, more than anything in this world, but she was slowly coming to the realization that however deep her feelings for him were, his were deeper. 

He had told her on their way to Cabo a few months ago that he had been accused in the past of being "overwhelming."  At the time she didn't understand how that was possible, but now she did.  Justin was a man who loved passionately and whole-heartedly.  He held nothing back but gave everything that he was--completely and without reservation--and that realization overwhelmed her.  As his lips finally released hers and began working their way down her neck and throat--his hands smoothing over her body as he continued to love her--Aubrey willingly gave herself to him, praying this incredible feeling between them would never end.  He had given her his heart and soul and she vowed then and there to protect and always cherish them.  The future was still a bit unsure but as long as he loved her everything would be alright.  Aubrey knew they could get through anything--as long as they were together.

~~~~~~

"I don't want to go home." Aubrey admitted later that night.  She snuggled closer to Justin as they lay in bed.  Justin tightened his arm around her--drawing her towards him as he kissed the top of her head.  Aubrey moved one leg between his.

"Damn, your feet are cold, girl!" Justin remarked, attempting to move his feet away from hers.  Aubrey chuckled.  "Haven't I done my job yet at warming you up?" He teased.  She lifted her head and looked at him, smiling.  She kissed him quickly then laid her head back on his chest.  Running her hand over his stomach she put her arm around him as she attempted to get as close as possible to him.

"Why don't you want to go home?" He asked.

"I don't want to go back to real life and all the crap waiting for me there." She commented quietly.  I just want to stay up here, like this, forever.

"What crap?" He asked his words muffled as he kissed the top of her head again.  Aubrey sighed.

"School." She told him.  "I've got a test and a paper due the next couple weeks.  And work.  There's always a million projects going on around there that I somehow get roped into helping with since they all assume I sit up at the front desk and do nothing all day, and..." she trailed off, hesitating as she worried her bottom lip with her teeth. 

"And what?" Justin asked, his fingers idly playing with her hair. 

"And Nikki." She whispered, closing her eyes as she tightened her arm around him as if to keep him from leaving.  She felt Justin tense instantly beneath her--the light mood that had surrounded them all day dissipating--and she regretted bringing the subject up.  Silence fell between them. 

"I'm sorry." Justin finally said quietly, his voice full of so much pain and regret that Aubrey turned to look at him.  The sparkle was gone from his eyes--self-recrimination filling their blue depths instead.  She reached out and smoothed the worried crease between his eyebrows with her finger.  "You have no idea," he told her, brushing the back of his hand against her cheek.  "How I wish I could go back and change what happened that night.  I should have marched myself over to your house and forced you to talk to me instead of going to that party.  It was a stupid, irresponsible decision I made and I'm sorry I've drug you into it but I have to live with and face the consequences of my actions.  I'll understand if--after finding out the results next month--you don't want to be with me anymore.  I don't want to force that on you.  It's going to be hard and--"

"Stop." Aubrey told him placing her fingers over his lips.  "I'm not going anywhere, Justin Timberlake.  No matter what the results are."

Justin let go a sigh of relief.  "Good." He smiled tremulously.  "Because I didn't know how I was going to let you go."  Aubrey reached out, running her hand through his hair then lay down across his chest--looking at him.  She watched as the smile slowly left his face. 

"Hey," She said, nudging him.  "I'm sorry I brought it up."

"No." He shook his head.  "It needed to be brought up.  I want--no, I need--to know what you're thinking about all of this."

What did she think about this?  She hated it, but what hurt the most wasn't that Nikki held this claim over him, or that there was a possibility that the woman would always be a part of their lives.  It was the pain and regret she saw in his eyes.  His entire life had changed and now hung in the balance as they waited for the results from one stupid mistake he'd made.  "Justin..." She sighed.  His blue eyes opened, looking at her.  "You've given up hope." She observed.  "Why are you assuming her claim is valid?" Aubrey asked.

"Because it might be." He replied dejectedly. 

"Okay," she shrugged.  "So what if it is?  What's going to happen?"

"It's going to make life hell for us." He told her.

"How can life be hell if you're going to have a child?" She asked him.  Having a baby was her one wish that would never be fulfilled and she didn't understand how he could say something like that.  Justin was quiet for a moment which made her wonder what his answer would be.  His eyes searched hers before he voiced his response-his words tearing her heart out. 

"Because you're not the mother."

~~~~~~

Aubrey's breath caught in her throat and it wasn't until the words left his mouth that Justin realized that was where the majority of his regret was coming from.  He could only imagine what this was doing to her--what it would do to her if it turned out Nikki was right.  He watched as tears instantly filled Aubrey's eyes at his admission, her bottom lip trembling slightly. 

"It should be you." He told her, placing his hand against her face.  His thumb swiped at the single tear that escaped and slipped down her cheek.  "If anyone is going to be having my baby...it should be you.  But it's not and I hate it!" He said, finally voicing the thoughts and feelings he'd been keeping inside the last month and a half.  He pushed Aubrey off of him as he sat up, leaning back against the headboard of the bed.  "I hate thinking that my child," he placed a hand on his chest, "is going to have her," he pointed off to the side, "for a mother, when it should be you!" He exclaimed.  Aubrey's tears fell freely as he continued.  "She's not going to love it." He replied angrily.  "She's not going to cuddle it and rock it to sleep like you would and I hate it.  What kind of life is this, to bring a child into?" He asked.   "What kind of mother is she going to be?  I don't even know her!" He said refusing to say Nikki's name aloud.  "What is it going to do that kid for him to grow up knowing his parents don't really know each other, that they don't like each other, that they don't love each other and that they never did?!"  Justin closed his eyes and swallowed the painful lump in his throat.  "One decision." He said, placing a hand over his eyes, trying to fight back his own tears.  "One stupid decision and look how many lives I've ruined."

"My life isn't ruined." Aubrey replied quietly, her voice thick with emotion as she finally spoke.  Justin lowered his hand as he looked at her.  "I promised you before." She reminded him as she scooted closer.  "That baby will be loved.  I don't care what I have to do."  She sniffed as she swiped at her tears.  "I don't care what kind of hell Nikki causes for us or that I'm going to have to spend the rest of my life dealing with her.  I will love that baby, Justin.  I promise you."

Justin wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close, hugging her tightly as tears fell from his eyes.  "I don't deserve you." He told her. 

"Whether you deserve me or not, you've got me." She replied, holding him just as tight.  "And I'm not leaving."  She pulled back and looked at him again.  "It's like you said earlier," she told him, combing her fingers through his short hair then running her hand down his face. "You're stuck with me now."

"And I thank God for that every second of every day." He told her as he pulled her close again.  Aubrey snuggled against him--tucking her head beneath his chin as she leaned against his chest.  Justin tightened his arms around her as he rested his cheek against the top of her head.  "I love you, Aubrey Janae." He told her as he closed his eyes.  "You are my everything." 

End Notes:

Anxiously awaiting your reviews...  :)

Chapter 25 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

and now the moment we've all be waiting for...

September

N SYNC, the biggest pop group of this century, announced this week that they were back in the studio recording their fourth album!  The five guys, who made history in 2000 when their album "No Strings Attached" broke records by selling 1.1 million copies in a single day, surprised audience members at the Ellen Degeneres Show yesterday.  Amid the excited screams of the girls in the audience that can still be heard, one question stands out among all others.  How is the paternity suit that group member, Justin Timberlake, is involved in going to affect the reunion we've all been waiting for?  And, is the world really ready for another Timberlake?

~~~~~~

"What are you doing here?"

Aubrey looked up from the text she had been sending Justin and met Nikki's icy glare.  "Waiting for Justin." She replied, looking back at her phone.  Nikki sat down in the chair next to her and Aubrey fought the urge to get up and walk away.  Sitting there next to Nikki made Aubrey uncomfortable but, Justin had made her promise him she would be here today when the results from the paternity test were read.  Luckily, she had been able to take a half-day at work--not knowing how long this whole thing was going to take--and, as Nikki shifted beside her, Aubrey wished she'd just stayed out in her car until Justin had arrived.

Where are you?

Aubrey sent the text she had been writing to Justin and waited for his reply. 

"So tell me something." Nikki said and Aubrey turned hesitantly to look at her.  "Is he really sleeping with you?" Nikki narrowed her eyes.  "I thought you were just his dog walker."

"Why would Justin Timberlake be sleeping with his dog walker?" Aubrey replied under her breath as she once again turned away from Nikki.  "That's about as believable as him wanting to sleep with you."

Nikki let out a one syllable laugh and Aubrey turned to look at her again.  "Whether he wanted to or not," Nikki said placing a hand on her rounded belly as she leaned back in her chair.  "He did."  She reached over and placed her hand on Aubrey's arm.  "Why don't you leave him to me?" She continued patronizingly.  "After all I'm the one having his baby.  Not you."

Aubrey struggled to keep Nikki from seeing how deeply her words cut.  She clenched her jaw and fought to keep a straight face, refusing to let the girl think she'd won.  Shrugging off Nikki's hand, Aubrey placed her hand on the arms of the chair she was sitting in and stood up.  She turned to look at Nikki.  "That hasn't been proven yet." Aubrey said as she squared her shoulders and turned to leave, resolving to just wait outside for Justin to arrive.   

"Did he tell you he loved you or some shit like that?" Nikki asked the venom in her voice obvious.  Aubrey turned to look at the girl, but remained silent.  "He told me he loved me, too." Nikki continued.  "And look where it got me." She pointed at her extended middle.

Yeah. Aubrey thought longingly as she looked where Nikki was pointing.  Look where it got you. 

"I never said that."

Both girls turned to look at Justin--Aubrey effectively startled from her train of thought.  It was no good wishing for what she knew she could never have.

"Hi, baby!" Nikki gushed, the poison leaving her green eyes as she suddenly became the picture of sweetness.  She stepped towards Justin, latching onto his arm.  Aubrey watched as Justin shrugged out of Nikki's grasp, looking at her in disgust. 

"I never said that, Nikki." He told the girl.  "I never said that I loved you."

"Justin." Nikki pouted.  "Why are you doing this?  I thought we had something special."

"What you and I had, Nikki, was a mistake." Justin replied, reaching for and grabbing Aubrey's hand.  Aubrey looked up at him, meeting his blue eyes.  Her heart skipped as he gave her hand a squeeze.  She loved the way he could affect her so easily with just a look or a simple touch.  "And when this is all over," Justin continued as he looked at Nikki.  "I'll be expecting an apology." He turned and Aubrey followed him as he moved to leave.

"An apology?" Nikki sputtered and Justin stopped.  "If anyone should be apologizing it should be you!"

Aubrey looked over her shoulder at Nikki, then up at Justin, gauging his reaction to the other girl.  His jaw was clenched tightly as his chest rose and fell sharply.  Aubrey knew he was fighting to keep his anger under control and not completely lose here in the middle of the lobby where everyone could see. 

"You really want her?" Nikki continued desperately.  "You really want someone like her on your arm at your next premier or awards show when you could have me?" 

Justin looked down at Aubrey as he let go of her hand.  Draping his arm around Aubrey's shoulders he drew her close and pressed his lips against hers.  Aubrey was surprised at the depth of emotion that was conveyed in that brief kiss and when Justin pulled back he ran the back of one hand across her cheek.  He looked at her for a moment--the unmistakable love portrayed in his blue eyes making Aubrey's knees feel a bit weak--before turning to face Nikki once again.

"Yes." Justin said simply, nodding once.  "I want her." 

If looks could kill, Aubrey knew she'd be dead from the daggers Nikki was shooting at her with her green eyes.  Aubrey leaned closer to Justin, grabbing a hold of his hand--instinctively seeking his protection.  "And now that we've got that settled," Justin continued as he laced his fingers with Aubrey's.  "Let's go get everything else figured out so we can all move on with our lives."   

~~~~~~

Justin could feel Nikki's heated stare fixed at the back of his head as he turned and led Aubrey toward the elevators. He tightened his fingers in hers as he reached out with his other hand and pushed the button to call the elevator with his finger.  He fought to diffuse the anger that was coursing through him at seeing Nikki again.  He took several deep breaths.  A small voice in the back of his head told him he needed to let the anger go.  If Nikki was going to be the mother of his child he needed to accept that she was going to be a part of his life now.  He needed to learn to live with the fact or the anger was going to eat him alive.     

"Are you okay?" Aubrey asked, placing her free hand on his arm.  Justin turned to look at her. 

"I should be asking you that question." He replied, evading her question.  "I'm sorry I wasn't here and you had to deal with..." he looked over his shoulder briefly than back at Aubrey.  "Her." He finished.

"It's okay." Aubrey said.  "I can take care of myself."  She grinned up at him.  "I was just about to lay into her when you showed up."

"Oh yeah?" Justin asked with a chuckle as he pulled Aubrey into the elevator with him. 

"Yep." She nodded as he let go of her hand.

"What were you going to tell her?" He asked as he leaned back against one of the walls and put his hands on Aubrey's hips--drawing her towards him.  She put her arms around his waist as she tucked her head beneath his chin.  Justin put his arms around her, hugging her close and inhaling her calming presence.

"That your mine." She told him.  "And to back off."

Justin chuckled and tightened his arms around Aubrey.  "Were you going to go all Xena on her?" He asked.

"You know it." Aubrey replied looking up at him with a smile as her hands moved down to rest on his hips.  "I gotta earn the nickname, after all."

Justin laughed.  "I love you." He told her.  He lifted one hand and brushed his thumb across her cheek.  "Thanks for being here today."

Aubrey just smiled as she hooked her fingers in his belt loops and tugged on him slightly as she went up on her toes and pressed her lips to his.  Justin placed his hands on either side of her face as he leaned forward, deepening the kiss--completely forgetting they were in an elevator. 

Until he heard somebody clear their throat. 

~~~~~~

Aubrey pulled away from Justin in surprise, her cheeks warming in embarrassment as she met the gaze of the man now standing in front of them. 

"Hey Richard." Justin greeted the man non-chalantly with a grin as he straightened and stood tall next to her-draping his arm around Aubrey's shoulders. 

"Please," the man said.  "Don't let me stop you."

"Nah, we're good." Justin answered, looking down at Aubrey.  "We can finish later in a less...public place."  Aubrey poked Justin in the side with her elbow and looked up at him in warning but he just laughed as he looked at her.  "Relax." He told her as they finally stepped off the elevator.  "Richard's been my lawyer for years.  He won't tell anyone you were trying to seduce me in the elevator."

"I was not trying to seduce you." Aubrey replied, laughing in spite of her embarrassment.

"You weren't?" Justin asked as they continued walking down the hallway, following his lawyer. 

"No." She shook her head.

"Hmmm..." He mused as he pursed his lips in thought. "I could have sworn..."

"When I decide to seduce you, Justin Timberlake," Aubrey told him.  "You'll know it."

Justin stopped walking and looked down at her, his eyes sparkling mischievously and his lips twitching as he fought to keep a straight face.  "Is that a threat?" He asked, lifting one brow.

"It's a promise." She told him. 

"Girl..." he all but growled as he leaned towards her, and Aubrey's stomach quivered at the sound.

"All I need is five minutes." Richard interjected before Justin's lips could touch hers and Justin let out a frustrated sigh as he looked over at the man.  "Five minutes." Richard repeated.  "Then you two can go at each other all you want."

"Do you have good news for me--us," Justin corrected as he looked at Aubrey.  "Do you have good news for us, Richard?" He asked.

"You know I can't say anything until everyone involved is present, Justin." Richard said as he stopped in front of one door and opened it.  "After you." He said, gesturing into the room.  Aubrey watched as Justin took a deep breath and squared his shoulders then, with a sigh of resignation, walked into the room to face his future.

~~~~~~

"Justin Randall Timberlake..."Richard paused and everyone in the room held their breath.  Justin's grip on Aubrey's hand tightened and her heart began fluttering nervously in her chest.  Aubrey looked across the table at Nikki, wondering how she was going to handle the girl's constant presence in her life if the test proved positive.  But she didn't have to wonder for long.

"Is not the biological father of Nicole Ashley Wilson's child." Justin's lawyer concluded and Justin collapsed back in his chair in relief, his blue eyes turning to look at Aubrey and she smiled at him.    

"What?!" Nikki exclaimed as she leaned across the table.  Aubrey and Justin both looked at her.  "No!  You...you're wrong.  He..." she pointed an accusatory finger at Justin.  "He's the father.  I know he is.  Somebody messed up."

"Miss Wilson," Richard began patiently as Nikki's lawyer placed his hand on her arm and drew her back in her seat.  "I have the results right here in my hand." Richard waved the paper he was holding.  "They were mailed to me yesterday and nobody has tampered with them.  The test conclusively proves that my client did not father your child."

"What am I supposed to do now?" Nikki replied in exasperation as she looked to her lawyer for an answer.  The other attorney just shrugged his shoulders and Aubrey felt herself actually starting to feel sorry for Nikki. 

"Apologize." Justin said and Aubrey nudged him.  "What?" He asked, looking at her in question. 

Aubrey shook her head slightly.  Nikki may have been horrible to her downstairs--and put Justin through hell the last couple months with her claims of paternity--but what had been good news for Aubrey and Justin was bad news for her.  Aubrey knew what it felt like to have the rug yanked out from under you and be taken by surprise and Justin didn't need to make Nikki feel even worse than she was feeling right now.  She watched as Richard pulled a few documents from his briefcase--Justin and Nikki both signing that they had been present for, and informed of, the results of the paternity test. 

As everyone left the room Aubrey found herself wondering what was going to happen to the baby.  She'd gotten used to the idea that there was going to be a child in Justin's life and, as she watched Nikki walk away, she felt a sense of longing for the child that wasn't even hers to begin with. 

"Are you okay?" Justin asked bringing her back to reality.

"Yeah." Aubrey nodded as she looked up at him and smiled, pushing away the thoughts running through her head.  She wrapped her arms around Justin's neck and pressed her lips against his--wanting to concentrate on spending as much time with Justin as she could before all the frenzy surrounding the N SYNC reunion got in the way.  The paternity suit had been hanging over their relationship for a while--casting a shadow of uncertainty over everything-and now that that cloud was gone Aubrey wanted to soak up as much sun as she could. 

She had found a man who loved her completely and whom she loved just as deeply in return and she was determined to enjoy every second she had with him.  She knew it was going to be tough--adjusting to everything that went along with him being on tour--but she wasn't worried.  They had gone through a lot this last year to get to where they were today and if the storms they'd weathered hadn't ripped them apart already, nothing would. 

Justin pulled back and placed his hands on either side of her face as he gazed down at her--his eyes full of love and desire.  He pressed his lips to Aubrey's forehead then leaned his forehead against the spot he'd just kissed.  Aubrey wrapped her hands around his wrists as he brushed his nose against hers. 

"I love you." He said softly and she smiled.  "Let's get out of here."

Aubrey placed her hand in his and followed him out of the room--excited to see where life would take them next.

End Notes:
a moment of silence...I have an epilogue I'm working on and then this story will be done! *tear*
Epilogue by azchickadee
Three months later...

Aubrey was startled awake as something large and heavy suddenly landed on top of her and she let out a gasp.  Struggling to get her arms free from the blankets wrapped around her, she lifted the sleep mask she was wearing and looked around her room.  A familiar pair of blue eyes sparkled above her. 

"Justin." She groaned as she collapsed back against her pillow.  "What..."

"Good morning, pretty girl." Justin replied, entirely too cheerful for how early it was. 

Aubrey groaned again as she returned the mask to its place over her eyes and attempted to turn away from him--pulling the blankets around her and over her head.

"Uh-uh." Justin said and she felt the bed move as he got up--the covers suddenly disappearing as he pulled them back. 

"Hey!" Aubrey exclaimed, lifting the mask again and glaring at him.  Justin just grinned at her from where he stood next to the bed.  "It's early." She whined.  "And it's cold!" She pouted.

"Come on, you big baby!" He laughed.  Reaching down and picking her up--blankets and all--he threw her over his shoulder.  "It's Christmas!" He reminded her.  "We have to go see if Santa came!"

Aubrey couldn't help laughing as he bounced her while he walked down the stairs of her parent's house.  They had arrived in Virginia yesterday morning--Aubrey finally introducing Justin to her parents.  Even though Justin had spoken to her mom and dad on the phone a few times over the last couple months, she had been nervous about what their reactions to finally meeting him were going to be.  Luckily, everything had gone off without a hitch.  Justin had been his normal charming self and had soon won over her mother completely by volunteering to help clean up dinner last night and by praising her cooking and pie making skills.  Her father was still a bit reserved about the relationship between his daughter and "some Hollywood, pretty boy," as he said, but Aubrey was certain that with time he would come to accept Justin in her life as easily as her mother had.  Even Michael had welcomed Justin into the family without hesitation and Aubrey smiled as she recalled the way the two of them had hit it off so easily once they had started talking last night.  Justin fit right in as if he'd always been there.

When he finally put her down--depositing her on the couch in her parent's Family Room--Aubrey pushed the hair from her face as she drew the blankets around her.  Justin dropped down beside her on the couch, an infectious grin on his face as he leaned towards her.  Aubrey reached her hand out--placing her palm against the light scruff on his cheek as she readily accepted his kiss.    

"Merry Christmas." He said when she pulled back a moment later to breathe. 

Aubrey smiled.  "Merry Christmas." She replied, pulling the blankets more firmly around her as she turned and snuggled against him.  Resting her head on his shoulder she closed her eyes, soaking in the peaceful quiet of just being with him. 

The last three months had been a whirlwind of almost constant commotion.  The guys had finally released their long anticipated reunion CD last month and had been met with surprising success.  They had all been a little anxious about what the reception would be like but it was obvious that their fan--base was still very much in tact and very committed to helping them reach number one on the charts again.  Granted they weren't as huge as they had once been, but it was more than enough to schedule a nation--wide tour starting in a few months. 

In the three months since the guys had announced they were getting back together, the time she and Justin had to spend together had all but disappeared as he was committed to talk show after talk show and promotional radio interviews at all hours of the day.   How he'd found the time to come home with her this weekend and spend Christmas with her family she wasn't sure, but she was grateful and was going to take every second they had together and make the most of it.

She had almost fallen back to sleep when she felt Justin reach for her hand.  Aubrey lifted her head and looked at him, her brows furrowing slightly in curiosity at the intense expression on his face.  "Justin?" She asked.  He turned to look at her--the happy and playful sparkle from moments earlier kissing from his eyes.  "What's the matter?"

"Can I ask you something?" He asked quietly. 

"Of course." Aubrey smiled turning her hand in his and lacing their fingers together.  Justin shifted on the couch and pulled his hand from hers.  Aubrey sat up and watched him curiously as he stood and walked over to the large Christmas tree standing in the corner of the room.  She was quiet, trying to figure out what he was doing as he squatted down, picking up a small box wrapped in blue paper from beneath the evergreen.  Justin straightened but kept his back to her for a moment then turned, his blue eyes meeting hers.  Aubrey smiled as he walked back to her. 

"This is for you." He said hesitantly, holding the gift out to her.  She took it--her eyes narrowing at the nervousness and uncertainty she heard in his voice. 

"Thank you." She said.  "What is it?"

"That's the point of opening it." Justin replied.  "To find out."

"Okay." Aubrey laughed quietly as she began unwrapping the gift. 

Her breath caught as she recognized the black velvet ring box she was holding for what it was and her eyes flew up to his.  Justin knelt down in front of her and Aubrey suddenly forgot how to breathe as he reached out and took the box from her. 

He cleared his throat nervously.  "Uh...about a year ago," he began quietly, his eyes focused on the ring box in his hand.  "I decided to go to the park with my dogs one Sunday morning."  Aubrey's heart began pounding and she lifted a hand to her chest as she watched him, wide-eyed.  "I had just broken up with my long time girlfriend and even though it was a mutual decision and something I knew needed to be done I was feeling sorry for myself.  When I was there I met this girl," He said, his eyes finally lifting and connecting with hers.  "She had freckles across her nose and beautiful hazel eyes and the most amazing smile I'd ever seen.  I didn't know her name and I didn't know in that moment how a few months later we would become best friends and how she would change my life forever." 

Aubrey gasped as he opened the ring box, revealing the most exquisite diamond solitaire ring she'd ever seen.  He pulled the ring from its place and took her left hand in his.  Aubrey felt the tears start to fall but she was helpless to stop them.  She blinked furiously as her vision of him began to blur.

"We've been through a lot together this last year, Aubrey." He continued and she nodded, using her free and to wipe the tears from her face.  "You were there for me--no questions asked--when everything fell apart this last summer." He said his voice cracking-which only made Aubrey's tears fall more freely.  Justin cleared his throat and shifted slightly.  "And you've continued to stand by me through all the insanity going on right now with the group getting back together.  I know I'm not the easiest person to love sometimes.  I know I do and say things that get on your nerves and I know that my job makes our relationship a lot harder than it normally would be but I want you to know how much I love you and how much I admire and adore you.  You are my everything, Aubrey Janae." He said, finally sliding the ring on her finger.

Aubrey sat, completely dumbfounded and speechless, looking at the ring he'd placed on her finger--convinced she must still be asleep and dreaming--as silent tears continued to fall down her cheeks.  Justin leaned up on his knees and placed his hands on either side of her on the couch.  Aubrey looked up, meeting his eyes. 

"You're my Warrior Princess and I can't handle the thought of living my life without you." He said, lifting one hand as he gently smudged away her tears.  "I love you, Aubrey.  I need you.  I want you." He paused.  "Will you marry me?" He whispered his eyes boring into hers.    

"Yes." Aubrey replied with a sob and Justin breathed a sigh of relief as he gathered her in his arms.  She pressed her lips against his as she wound her arms around his neck--her tears continuing to fall--and Justin kissed her warmly.  The exchange began to heat up between them until a door closed loudly upstairs and they broke apart, the noise reminding them they weren't alone in the house.  Justin moved and sat back on the couch and Aubrey snuggled against him, a sigh of contentment escaping as she looked at the engagement ring on her finger.  Justin picked up her hand in his and lifted it slightly as he examined the ring where it lay against her skin. 

"Do you like it?" He asked.  "‘Cuz if you don't we can exchange it--"

"I love it!" Aubrey exclaimed.  "It's perfect."  She looked at the simple platinum band.  "Although," She pulled back and looked at him.  "It makes the golf shoes I got you seem kind of ridiculous now."

He laughed as he put his arms around her and drew her back against him, shaking his head.  "Your answer a minute ago was all the gift I needed." He told her as he pressed his lips to her temple then nuzzled her ear with his nose.

Aubrey chuckled as a shiver skirted down her spine.  "You sure are easy to please." She teased and he laughed again.

"Were you surprised?" He asked.

"Completely." She replied. 

"Good." He replied sounding proud of himself and Aubrey looked over her shoulder at him--laughing at the smug look on his handsome face.  "I finally got back at you." He winked.

"What do you mean?" Aubrey asked with a confused smile.

"You surprise me every damn day." He explained.  "And I wanted, just once," he held up a finger, "To really surprise you."

Aubrey smiled.  "Mission accomplished." She told him and pressed her lips to his.  "Mission accomplished."   

End Notes:
Thanks you guys for all the reviews and support!  I can't believe this ride is over!!  But don't worry, I've got a few ideas brewing in regards to these characters...there are a few loose ends I need to tie up, so stay tuned!  :)
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1288