August 29th:You Think You Know by Keediluv
Summary:

Meet Sierra-Marie.  She's a beautiful 22 year old on the brink of her senior year at the University of New Orleans.  Everything in her life was perfect...until August 29th.  Find out what happens when a natural disaster happens and you go from hero to zero.  Will a certain young pop star give her hope and help her get her life back?


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 7179 Read: 16595 Published: Feb 12, 2009 Updated: Dec 29, 2009
Story Notes:
I wrote this story three years ago but it's still as relevant to many others and myself today. 

1. Chapter 1 by Keediluv

2. Chapter 2: Katrina's Coming by Keediluv

3. Chapter 3: How Close Is It Again? by Keediluv

4. Chapter 4: Seriously?? by Keediluv

5. Chapter 5:The Help Of Others by Keediluv

6. Chapter 6:Unbelieveable by Keediluv

7. Chapter 7:WTF?! by Keediluv

8. Chapter 8 by Keediluv

9. Chapter 9 by Keediluv

10. Chapter 10:Daddy Pt. 1 by Keediluv

Chapter 1 by Keediluv
Author's Notes:
This is by far the most personal story I'll ever write.  The events that happen in the story are true (as you all know) and this is not meant to offend anyone.  Just telling my side. Written in P.O.V.

 

 

August 27, 2005

Sierra-Marie

It is a beautiful day outside as I look out from my balcony connected to my bedroom.  I have to be at work in 4 hours and I'm actually excited.  My 23rd birthday is in two days, the weather's hot and I have everything to be thankful for.  A loving family that consists of my mommy Anjel', my daddy Kenneth, my two younger sisters Symone' and Sienna and my baby girl Brianna .  Yes, I have a daughter; no I didn't have her out of wedlock.  She's 3 years old and her daddy Brian and I were married fresh out of high school before he got deployed to Iraq where he died saving his unit.  Getting over his death hasn't been easy and everytime I look into Bri's eyes I see him but, he was a good man and he died doing what he did best; helping others.  I love him still and I know he's looking over us now.  Ok, I've given you enough heavy stuff for the day so now I'd like to tell you about my city.

New Orleans

I know to most of you that New Orleans is seen as party central which is true to a certain extent.  But there's so much more to my city than just Bourbon St.  There's Downtown, Uptown, Mid-City, N.O. East (where I'm from), the Westbank, Meitarie and Kenner; and that's just the broad span of things.  The city is broken up into wards...3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th (lower 9th included), 10th, 12th, and 17th.  I know I'm probably forgetting some so forgive me if I'm a little off.  Anyway, my city is so rich with different cultures and people that you never know what you'll see from day to day.  What can I say; I love my city!

"Mommy!"  My daughter says coming toward me with a huge smile on her face and very sticky fingers. 

"Has Auntie Symone' been feeding you Ice Cream again?"  I say picking her up and bringing her into the bathroom to clean her up.

"Vanilla good mommy."  She says giggling as I blow into her tummy; she loves that. 

"I know baby, I know.  Mommy likes Chocolate though.  Okay, all clean."  I put her down and she takes off in search of my sister who lives with me.  Symone is 18 and she moved in with me after my husband died to help me out with Bri.  She attends Moler Beauty School and dreams of owning a few beauty/barber salons.  That girl can do some hair.  She's been styling since she was eleven and she currently works at Lucky's, the hottest salon in the city.  Brian and I purchased our three bedroom townhouse in Lakeshore right before we had Brianna.  I work at The Ritz-Carlton as a server and I absolutely love my job.  It's the best company to work for and I wouldn't trade the people I work with for any amount of money in the world.  Speaking of work, I'd better start getting ready.  Symone still has to do my hair and I have to drop Brianna off by her grandparents (Teresa and Michael) before I go.

Holla Back

Si-Si

Chapter 2: Katrina's Coming by Keediluv

 

 

Chapter 2: Katrina's Coming

 

Its 11:30 and we are surprisingly slow.  I know they

 

said that there is a storm in the gulf but I don't

 

think it's that serious. 

 

 

"Si-Si, you need to see this."  Our hostess Leslie

 

tells me walking up to the television.  Even our local

 

entertainer Jeremy stopped playing to watch so it must

 

be more serious than I thought.

 

 

"Hurricane Katrina is probably the most beautiful and

 

most dangerous storms of this century thus far.

 

Already a category four storm and getting stronger by

 

the minute, it looks like this little lady is headed

 

somewhere towards the gulf.  We will continue to track

 

it with new information updated every hour."

 

Meteorologist Bob Breck says as Leslie lowers the

 

volume and goes back to her post to call her children.

 

I go up to Jeremy where he's sitting with my bosses

 

discussing the weather report.

 

 

"We can't close the hotel down just yet Jeremy, we

 

don't know if this thing is coming towards us or not."

 

My general manager John says sipping on his water.

 

 

"JR, how can we not?  Did you see how big that thing

 

is?  If it comes anywhere near our coastline, it'll

 

swallow us whole."  Jeremy said.  I agreed with him

 

and apparently so did our guests because out of the

 

twenty guests we had left, 18 of them left after

 

hearing the news.  Our last two guests were regulars

 

who have adopted all of us as their children.  Jim and

 

Kathy are wonderful people who don't have any children

 

of their own so their affectionately known as 'Momma

 

and Poppa'.  Meanwhile, Ernesto (my direct manager),

 

John, Nick, Michael, Jerome, Yul, Vicki and I have one

 

thing on our minds; getting home to our families so we

 

can plan our escape routes. 

 

Chapter 3: How Close Is It Again? by Keediluv
Author's Notes:
Justin was dating Cameron at the time of Katrina so er go, she's in the story.

 

 

Chapter 3: How close is it again?

 


August 28th, 2005: 5:37pm

 

 

Justin Timberlake sat quietly in his hotel suite in Houston where he was visiting his girlfriend Cameron Diaz on the set of her new movie.  She’d been gone for about seven hours and he didn’t want to go too many places without her.  He’d had a couple radio interviews set up about his current movie role and about getting back in the studio to prepare for his new album due out next fall.  He had learned that Destiny’s Child was here in their hometown preparing for their tour this fall and thought about calling Beyonce’ or Kelly to see if they were hitting the town so he’d have some company.  Cameron would be out at least another five hours and he didn’t want to sit in the hotel the whole time.  That was, until he saw the weather report.

 

“Hurricane Katrina is the topic on everyone’s mind this weekend.  Looking sure to hit somewhere in the gulf, even Houston, we will watch this potentially catastrophic storm as it rear’s closer to the shores.  There has been a mandatory evacuation ordered for southeastern Louisiana, including New Orleans.  Meteorologists are saying that this storm could swallow the crescent city whole.  Justin sat in his seat fixated on the television.  As the weather report faded and local commercials flooded the screen, instinctively he picked up his cell phone and speed dialed his girlfriend to see if she knew about this situation.  After the third ring, she answered. 


“Hey baby, what’s up?”


“Hey, did you hear about the weather that could be heading this way?”


“No, we haven’t heard about anything on the set, why?”


“Because there’s a hurricane in the gulf and it’s supposed to be a big one.  I was just wondering if your director or any of the producers knew anything about it and if they planned on doing anything about it.”


“No, I don’t think they do. Let me talk to them and call you right back.”  Cameron said hanging up the phone before he had a chance to say bye.  He’d been through hurricanes before living in Orlando but Cameron grew up in California all her life and barely experienced an earthquake so the thought of any type of inclement weather frightened her.  He felt bad for all those people who had to evacuate their homes on a moment’s notice probably with no idea of where to go or who to turn to.  Worse off, what about those people who didn’t have a way to get out?  He learned by rehearsing in New Orleans that the poor population was far from few and just the thought of something like this happening made him sick to his stomach.  He had made friends with a few stage hands that helped them put their tour together back in 2002 that he still kept in touch with.  Right when he was about to call his friend Damon, his phone started ringing.  Recognizing the number, he picked up quickly. 


“JC, man what’s going on?”


“Nothing much, I was just flicking through the channels and landed on CNN where they were talking about some scary shit happening out there in the gulf.  What are you going to do?”


“I’m not sure C.  The last thing I heard, it’s supposed to land somewhere on the border of Louisiana and Mississippi.  That’s right there on the river bank.  I feel bad for all those people in New Orleans.”


“I know, I just got off the phone with David and he said his family’s gonna stick through it.  I tried to convince him to leave but he said his family simply can’t afford to go anywhere and besides, even if he could, where would he go?  I offered to pay for him to fly his family up here but he wouldn’t hear of it.  You know that this is like a cat 5?  That’s the strongest any storm can get.  I’m scared for them man.”


“I know I was just about to call Damon to see what his plans were. I think we’re pretty safe here though.  It doesn’t look like its coming anywhere near here.  Well, not close enough to leave.  I doubt the movie will stop production in the middle of its crunch time.  Has anyone talked to Lance at all?  You know his family lives right there in Biloxi, it could strike there too.”  Justin asked suddenly concerned with his friend’s family and their well being.


“Joey said his family evacuated three days ago.  They’re all at his house in Nashville.  He said thirty-seven relatives under one roof isn’t his idea of a quaint family reunion but wouldn’t have it any other way.” 


“Understandable.  I doubt we go anywhere though.  They’re flashing a message that they’re canceling all flights out of all Houston airports so we’re stuck here anyway.  I just hope the only thing we feel from this is rain.  Well C, I’m going to try and call Cameron back to see what’s going on with her.  I’ll call you back later.  After calling Cameron back, he decided to take a quick nap before making any more phone calls.  He said a silent prayer before dosing off; knowing all those people in New Orleans needed all the prayers they could get.

Chapter 4: Seriously?? by Keediluv

 

 

"Daddy, I don't think it's such a good idea for you guys to stay home.  Please just come to Little Rock with us."  I pleaded while going at a snails pace to Arkansas to be with Brian's family.  My sisters, My mom and my daughter are with me .  My Daddy decided that he and my uncle David would stay to look over our houses, saying we put too much money and effort into our homes to watch them get washed away.  You know how men are when the set their minds to something.  It's nearly impossible to get them to change their minds, category 5 hurricane or not.  My momma offered to stay behind with them but they wouldn't hear of it.

 

Brian's Mom called me and said that we could stay with them at her family house and we quickly obliged not really having anywhere else to go.  This ride is usually only six hours but that was six hours ago and we still aren't there yet.  The traffic is bananas but better than what it's like toward Houston. Brianna has been behaving really well considering how hot it is because we can't afford to waste the gas.  I have a hybrid but I'm at half a tank and the nearest gas station is 145 miles away and we're not sure if they have gas or not.  Daddy is a stubborn old man.  Symone, Sienna and Momma asked him to leave and he still said no.  We'll just pray for him and all the other people whether they're stuck or not. 

 

I've never really been scared of hurricanes before but we've never experienced a storm this strong before either.  Symone's boyfriend Terrence can't leave because his mother is sick and can't afford to leave on such short notice so needless to say, she's not very settled right now.  Sienna doesn't have anyone other than us in her life right now so she's been really helpful trying to keep everyone's minds off everything.  You gotta love a sense of humor because right now, we really need it.

Chapter 5:The Help Of Others by Keediluv

 

 

August 29th, 2005

5:16am

Symone'

This sucks!  We've been in this damn car for 13 hours now and we still ain't no where near Little Rock.  We've pulled over at a gas station in Monroe waiting in line for gas.  Brianna and Sienna are asleep, Momma's on the phone with Daddy (stubborn ass ol' man) and Sierra's outside getting some air.  I'm angry, upset and and tired.  Our mayor didn't give us the mandatory evacuation order until Sunday mid-day.  In my opinion, that was the dumbest move he could have ever made.  How do you expect an entire city to just up and leave on such a short notice?  I know at least 30 people who just couldn't leave because they had no way out.  The severity of this storm was not given off hand and we honest to God didn't think it was coming near us.  Most of my friends weren't able to leave and not to mention my boyfriend.  His Momma's real sick and they can't just up and leave and not only that, his Daddy's in an ol' folks home so you know he can't go anywhere just like that.  I feel so bad about this.  When hurricanes usually come, we don't go anywhere because the worst that usually happens is a couple windows are blown out and it floods but everyone comes out alright afterward but I don't know about this one.  It just doesn't feel right you know?  I've never seen so many people flee like this before and now, no one can enter or exit the city because of the curfew.  Living below sea level is so dangerous as it is and I just don't have a good feeling about this...not at all.  Like I said before, this SUCKS!

 

Sierra-Marie

I've talked to a few people waiting in line with me to get gas and hearing some of their stories is heart breaking already and the storm just started like 15 minutes ago.  Take Belinda for example; 21 yr old college student, lives at home with her Mom and seven, count them seven other brothers and sisters; all of whom are younger than she is.  They only have her one car in the family and her Mom asked her to take them with her because she was going to stay at the hospital with her grandfather.  She doesn't have enough money to fill her tank and continue to feed all of the kids for God knows how long and doesn't know where she's gonna go but headed in this direction figuring that this would be an easier route to take than heading west toward Texas.  So guess what I did?  I did what I think any red-blooded person with a heart would have done, I gave her all of the cash that I had on me which was 872 dollars.  I made really good tips on Friday and because my house is already paid and I usually pay all of my bills in advance and the hotel was extremely busy the past two months, I've been able to save the money I make and the money I get from Brian's social security and pension plans he had with the military.  I also gave her my cell phone number just in case she needs anything else.  So after she thanked me and promised to pay me back someway, we were finally able to pump our gas...then the unthinkable happens. 

"If I may have everyone's attention please!  The governor of Arkansas is not allowing anyone in the state for the next 12 hours due to congestion on it's interstates.  What the governor has done along with the U.S. Navy, and Continental Airlines have come together to fly you safely into Houston where you then will be transported to the Astrodome for shelter.  The Navy will provide cargo ships to transport all of your vehicles to Houston as well.  If everyone will follow me, I'll guide you to the airport."  Can you imagine the looks on everyone's faces when he finished.  I can't begin to describe the look of utter confusion on everyone's faces.  After being in the car this damn long just to be told that we still have to go to Houston...man I hate this shit!

Chapter 6:Unbelieveable by Keediluv
Author's Notes:
I'm so eternally grateful for all of the reviews.  I can't believe it's been almost 4 years ago...I don't know if I'll ever get over the affects of that storm.  So to everyone reading and reviewing...THANK YOU!!!

 

 

August 29th, 2005

4:10pm

 

Justin and Cameron sat in front of the television in amazement at the conditions of everything that was going on in New Orleans and the surronding parishes. 

"Justin, this type of shit upsets me.  Why isn't there a better mapped out plan for these people.  I mean ten thousand people or more are stuck in that Superdome without any type of food, or water or anything. Not to mention the other thousands of people that couldn't leave their homes.  I feel completely helpless.  Isn't there something we can do?"

"I'm sure there is baby, but they aren't letting anyone into the city right now and I don't know when they will lift that order.  I heard that they are sending some people here to the Astrodome by way of the state of Arkansas.  It seems that the interstates there are too congested and they've redirected people here.  Maybe we could go there and volunteer because I'm sure they're going to need all of the help they can get.  I'm going to call the guys and basically every person I know to see if they are willing to help with this thing.  Momma and Dad already said that they are on their way down here and they've tried to rally up people in the neighborhood to get in their cars and come with them but no word on how that's going yet.  The guys already told me that they are going to New Orleans as soon as they can but JC's going to come here and help whereever needed." 

 

CNN's Anderson Cooper comes on the screen with a terrified look on his face that doesn't sit right with the young couple.

"Just when it seemed like things couldn't get any worse, it has.  Two leveees that basically keep the city safe from the floodwaters have breached and now there's water pouring into the city.  The lower ninth ward in New Orleans has reportedly gotten up to 15 ft. of water and the waters are steadily rising.  Right now at least 45% of the city is completely under water.  I don't know guys, this absoultely can't be good for the people who are stuck in there homes.  We're going on a quick commercial break and will be back with updates in two minutes." 

Justin and Cameron sat in shock with tears in their eyes for about five minutes or so letting everything the journalist said sink in.  They knew that now, more than ever, these people needed help...and fast.  Without muttering a word, they both got up, got dressed and headed to the Astrodome to see what could be done right now.  

Chapter 7:WTF?! by Keediluv
Author's Notes:

Well, thanks to everyone who's reading...here's chapter 7!

 

 

August 29th, 3pm 

 

Sierra-Marie

 

I feel as if I'm stuck in a really bad dream.  We still haven't heard from my daddy which is driving me crazy.  Symone is barely holding on and my momma looks numb.  She just keeps mumbling 'if he's okay, I'll kill em'.  Brianna has been playing with the lady situated next to us' daughter because they were getting restless and needed an outlet of some sort.  We're stuck in this hot ass Astrodome needing a shower and a comfortable place to sleep.  As you can assume, this has captured alot of attention and everybody who's anybody is here trying to help out.  Even political folks and celebrites from all over who happened to be in the local area.  I saw Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz walk in an hour ago and head straight to the Red Cross area.  That was nice of them. 

"Excuse me, Mrs. Barbara Bush is about to give a statement to the media so if we can have silence, we'd appreciate it." 

I guess that was the director of the dome' over the PA.  This should be interesting to say the least.

Brian Derricks of CNN: Mrs Bush, have you had the chance to speak to your son about this national disaster?

Mrs. Bush: Not yet but I'm sure he and his team are putting in the hours to get everyone out of harms' way.

For some reason, they decided to do the interview where all the kids were quietly playing with the building blocks that were set up for them.  Mrs. Bush bends over and picks up Brianna which needless to say, got the attention from my sisters and my momma.  I was already watching Bri like a hawk, not needing anything to happen without my knowing.  They were airing the statement over the PA as well so the whole room was quiet.

Brian: What do you think of the people working together to get these nice folks some help?

Mrs. Bush: Well, it appears that everyone is doing a fantastic job and I would expect nothing less of the great state of Texas.  Alot of these people were really poor and didn't have this kind of luxury so I'm sure this little set up is a nice change for them.

Flabbergasted, Brian looks around the room where you could hear a pin drop and says

Brian: What do you mean?

Mrs. Bush: Well Brian, New Orleans is a nice city and all but it was not the richest place in the world.  Most of these folks came from nothing so I know this is a step up, that's all.

After everyone in the room took a collective gasp, Mrs. Bush's reps thought it would be best if they ended her statement there and leave.  She told her interviewer thank you as she was rushed out of the building.

"What the fuck did that bitch say?" 

I looked around to see who was responsible for that voice and it was none other than my loud ass sister.  Well, that started a rant from other representatives from New Orleans who were (along with myself of course) completely appalled by the former first lady's remarks.  We may not have had much but I can guarantee that most of the people here OWNED their property and she had NO right to say such a thing.  Some of the volunteers helped to quiet folks down and started handing out lunch.  Wow!

 

Sienna

Ok, so this is not the way Si-Si wanted to spend her birthday I'm sure.  Hopefully, getting an autograph from Justin Timberlake will lighten her spirits a bit.  We've actually ran across some people we know from our neighborhood and some from my high school.  I'm standing in line for dinner with Jasmine (a friend from school), Brianna and Jasmine's little sister.  Justin said he'd sit and entertain the kids for a little while after and I for one was looking forward to that.  I think it's so nice of him and his girlfriend to come here and help out.  They certainly didn't have to.

Here's a little secret of Sierra's; she's a huge fan of Nsync and Justin himself.  She listens to No Strings Attached and Celebrity all the time and Justin's her favorite.  Brian and Si-Si's first dance was to This I Promise You and she's been to every concert in within a three state radius.  Yeah, I'd call that dedication.

"Hey there.  I'm Justin, what's your name?" He asks Brianna.

"Breeeeeannna"  She's learning to say her whole name.  So cute!  Justin laughs deep and says...

"Aren't you the cutest thing ever!  Cam, I think I got myself a new girlfriend."

"I couldn't even blame you baby, she is adorable." 

"Can I hold her?"  Justin asks me with wide eyes.  He is seriously taken with my niece.

"Sure."  He takes Bri from me and walks away from the volunteer table and sits in the little play area they have put up for the children.  Sierra walks over to us, amazed that Justin is sitting there playing with Brianna and the other kids.

"How long has he had her?"  She asks in a whisper.

"Only about ten minutes now.  I think he's in love with your baby."  She looks at the two of them with the softest smile playing on her lips. I think her crush just intensified. Justin looks up at the two of us and smiles brightly.

"You must be Brianna's mom.  I'm-"

"Justin Timberlake.  I'm a fan.  You look good with my baby on your arm."  Brianna hear's her mother's voice and looks up laughing.

"Mama, Jussin's nice man, really, really nice."  She giggles and begins to pull on his ears for whatever reason.  This is really a site to see.  Symone' and mama walks over to us and My mommy rests her head on my shoulder.

"Hey mommy, you tired?" I ask her kissing her forehead.  I may be only 17, but she's my baby too.

"Yeah.  Is that who I think it is?"

"Yes ma'am.  Justin looks up again and sees all these women starting to crowd him and the kids so I introduce them.   

"Jusitn, this is my other sister Symone' and my mommy Anjel'."  He extends his hand and greets them warmly."

"Nice to meet all of you.  I'm so sorry about what happened but I'm glad your safe."

"Thank you.  I'm going to lie down girls, see you later."  My mom must be worried sick about my daddy.  I can't believe he decided to stay behind.  He can be a hard old coot when he wants too.  I leave with my mom, going to sit with her so she won't be alone.

 

Sierra-Marie

7pm

Dinner was being served now and Justin was still entertaining the kids.  Something about him and Brianna together pulls at my heatstrings.  Here is my ultimate crush holding on to the sole reason I'm a better person and all I can do is smile.  She is completely amazed by him and she seems to love his eyes.  Some of the other parents come and get their kids for dinner and Justin comes and sits with Bri and myself at a table in the corner.

"I'm in love with your daughter.  She is so fascinating to me."  Justin says as he helps her eat her mac and cheese.

"Thank you.  Do you have alot of experience with kids?"

"Not really.  I mean my brothers when they were kids and some of my friends kids but I don't get much time to spend with them.  Again, I'm sorry about what's happened with you guys.  Did everyone in your family get out alright?"

"No, my daddy and uncle decided to stay and try to protect our homes though I don't see the point in it.  He can be as stubborn as a bull when his mind's set on doing somethng." 

"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry.  Well, I'm sure he'll make it out alright."

"Yeah, I hope so."  I didn't really think about him not making it, he has to.  He has no other choice.

 

Chapter 8 by Keediluv
Author's Notes:

It's been four years today...

I don't really know how I feel today but this update is for you...

Ki

 

 

Conversations at Midnight

 

Sierra-Marie

 

It's about 11:30pm and the dome is pretty quiet.  My momma, Sienna and Symone are asleep and Brianna is resting on Justin Timberlake's lap.  The conversation between the two of us has been light and easy, which I'm very grateful for.  I feel like I'm in this weird dream where the best and worst thing in the world has happened to me.  The day I get to meet one of my favorite musicians in the world is also the day where I'm wondering if my daddy and uncle are alright.  Brianna seems to be falling asleep so I think I should go lie her down.

 

"Justin, I think I need to lie her down so she can rest.  Your arms must be tired from holding her all day."

 

"It was my pleasure.  She's really no trouble at all.  You probably have the most adorable little girl I've ever met in my life.  Are you going to bed too?"

 

"No, I don't think I'll be able to really sleep until I'm sure Bri's down for the night.  I'll leave her with my mom.  Are you leaving?  Because if you are then don't let me..."

 

"No, I'd like a chance to get to know you better.  I'm sorry that it's under poor circumstances but I want to make sure you guys will be okay.  That isn't wrong of me is it?"

 

"I wouldn't say that.  A part of me wants to tell you to go and get a good night's sleep but honestly, I really could use the company, if you don't mind.  I know you're here with your girlfriend so I wouldn't want to come between you two or anything like that."

 

"Cameron left two hours ago.  She completely understands why I'm staying but she wasn't feeling all that well today so I told her to get some rest and if she's in the mood for it, come back in the morning.  I'll call a service to pick me up, it'll be fine."

 

"Okay, I'm going to lay her next my mom and be right back."

 

I walk over to where my momma and Symone' are laying and gently place her grandbaby next to her.  She instinctively reaches out for her and Brianna cradles in her arms.  They look so peacful that I kiss both of them on their forehead and back away slowly.  I pull out my cell phone as I walk back to where Justin and I were sitting to check for messages.  I got a voicemail from my friend Misty telling me she and her family and safe and in Atlanta up at a hotel in the area.  I was happy to hear that so I saved the message and exited my voicemail.  I look up and see that Justin isn't sitting where we were before.  I walk around a little more to see him sitting among a group of young people talking with them.  He sees me walking up to them but excuses himself before I can reach the table. 

 

"You didn't have to get up.  I would have joined you guys."

 

"It's cool, I was only sitting over there until you came back.  So, how are you feeling?"

 

"Is it possible that I'm not feeling anything?  It's like I'm numb.  I guess I'm so many emotions all at once that my body has decided to feel nothing.  I'm not sleepy, hungry, tired, or anything like that so I can't rest.  Mommy's pretty much worried herself sick, my sister's upset about her boyfriend and I still haven't heard from my friends."

 

"In retrospect, I think I should have kept that question to myself."  He says with a small smile.  The fact that he's trying is really cute to me and I'm excited that he's even here talking to me.

 

"It's okay, you're concerned and I really appreciate it.  So, let's talk about something else...where you in Houston before the storm?"

 

"Yeah, I just got here two days ago.  Cam's filming a part of her movie here and I came down to visit.  I had no idea about the hurricane.  As soon as we heard about evacuees coming here, we rushed down."

 

"Thanks, because you really didn't have to.  I'm sure you could have found something else to do with your time."

 

"It's really no big deal.  Once we heard, it wasn't even a question.  Where do you work in New Orleans?"

 

"I work at The Ritz-Carlton as a server.  I just got a letter of recommendation to be promoted on Friday.  Now, I don't even know if I'll have a job to go back to.  Isn't it amazing what a difference a day can make?  From promotion to...I don't even know what to call this.  I was just starting to pull my life back together and this happens."

 

"If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean 'pull your life back together?"

 

"My husband."

 

"What happened with your husband?  You guys break up?"

 

"No, nothing like that.  I lost him about two and a half years ago in Iraq.  He was trying to help out one of his men when they were attacked."

 

"I'm so sorry."

 

"It's okay, really.  He died doing what he loved.  He'd been in JROTC and ROTC before joining the Army.  Can't describe how much I miss him though.  Okay, I can't keep talking about Brian right now for fear that my system will shut down from grief."

 

"Then we won't say another word until your ready.  Your daughter is amazing!  I can't believe that in a seven hour period I've fallen head over heels for her.  She's beautiful and smart and has the most awesome sense of the world around her.  You must be one proud mommy."  The twinkle in his eye that appears everytime he talks about my baby sends little shocks through my body.  He's completely done.

 

"Pride can't even describe what that wonderful little girl has done for me.  She's honestly the reason I'm able to keep going.  Beyond all the bullshit, and drama and utter ridiculousness of this whole storm, Brianna doesn't know or care about it.  For her, life is about family, mommy, and Big Bird."

 

"She's into Big Bird?"

 

"Like you wouldn't believe.  You know, most kids these days are all about Elmo and Barney or whatever but not my little one.  We got her an Elmo for Christmas and she flipped out!  Like, screaming, crying, the whole nine.  Then, she picked up the box and started yanking it up and down.  My best friend bought her a Big Bird doll and sat it in front of her.  She looked at it for the longest time, picked it up and decided that Big Bird would be her toy of choice."

 

"Wow...I didn't think kids were into Big Bird anymore."

 

"Yeah, my baby has always been different."

 

"What about her mommy?"

 

"What do you mean?"  He's looking at me and his eyes are filled with so many questions.  So I say...

 

"What would you like to know about me?"

 

"What's your favorite music?"

 

"Music with heart.  Soulful music that can teach me something, make me feel better, put me in a great mood.  Heartfelt ballads, feel good hip hop, almost any kind of R&B, pop, country.  If the lyrics are good and the melody is right, I'm down."

 

 

We talked for about another hour or so about any and everything.  Justin told me about his life in Tennessee, his early years with *NSYNC and all his solo stuff.  I told him more about my work and our heritage.  By the time we looked at the clock, it was 1:45am and he was getting tired.

 

"Under the circumstances, I had a lot of fun with you, but I should get going.  It'll probably take the car service half an hour or so before they get here and I wanna be ready."

 

"You know, I can take you back to your hotel if you'd like?"

 

"Thanks for the offer but I know you need to stay with your family and I don't mind calling the service.  But tell my girlfriend that I'll be back first thing in the morning to have breakfast with her."  We stand up from the table and I take a long stretch, ready to rest finally.  From the looks of things, so was Justin.

 

"I will.  Make sure you get yourself enough rest though.  She's a ball of energy in the morning."

 

"I'll be ready.  Goodnight Sierra."

 

"Goodnight Justin."

 

 

Three hours later...

 

I made it!  Whew...yes!  Thank you Lord Jesus!  Ok, I need to call my family and let them know I'm alright.  I find a payphone right outside of the building they evacuated us to and dialed the all too famaliar number...

 

'Hello?'

'Daddy...is that you?'

Chapter 9 by Keediluv


  I'm adding pics of my characters...giving a face to a name.

 

 

     stories/196/images/Sierra-Marie.jpg 

 

  stories/196/images/si-si.jpg   

 

Sierra-Marie

 

  stories/196/images/00326269_lg.jpg

Justin 

  stories/196/images/Sienna2.jpg

Symone

 

 

 stories/196/images/Symone3.jpg  

Sienna 

stories/196/images/Anjel'.jpg

Anjel 

stories/196/images/Kenneth.jpg 

Kenneth 

stories/196/images/Brianna.jpg  

Brianna 

 

stories/196/images/Cameron-Diaz5.jpg

Cameron 

 

Thanks to Google search for the pics! 

Chapter 10:Daddy Pt. 1 by Keediluv
Author's Notes:

Thanks for sticking in there with me. Here's another chapter. 


   

 

 

Sierra-Marie 

 

 

 

I watch as Justin walks to the front entrance as my phone begins to ring in my pocket. Looking at the unfamiliar number, I pause for a moment.  Then, remembering that it could be any one of my family members.  I answer immediately.  

 

 

"Hello?" 

 

nothing 

 

"Hello?  Is anyone there?" 

 

"Hello...Si-Si?" 

 

"Daddy?  Is that you?"  I say and my heart starts to race.  God, please let it be him. 

 

"Yes babygirl, it's me.  I'm alright."   The tears start streaming down my face as I listen to him breathe.  Just to hear that is major for me.  Jumping up from my seat I say... 

 

"Oh my goodness, Daddy, you scared the heck outta me.  Are you alright?  Where are you?  How are you feeling?  Why are you....?"  He  cut me off before I could say anything else. 

 

"Wait a sec sweetheart.  I'm okay.  Uncle Brian and I were rescued by the Coast Guard just in time.  The water was so high, I really didn't think I'd get out.  But, I'm here thank GOD.  Where's your mama?"  By this time, I'm pacing with excitement. 

 

"She's asleep, let me wake her." 

 

"No, don't do that.  Are you guys in Houston?  Because I'm at a bus station right outside Lake Charles.  We should be in Houston in a few hours." 

 

"Yeah, we were going to go to Arkansas but the interstate was so congested that they turned us around.  Call me as soon as you get here and I'll come get you.  As a matter of fact, do you know where they'll be dropping you off?  I can meet you there?" 

 

"I think we're going downtown to the Greyhound station.  Let me check."  I hear him asking the bus driver or someone where they'll be going and the person confirms his earlier statement. "Downtown Houston baby.  And do me a favor." 

 

"Anything daddy." 

 

"Don't wake or tell any of the girls.  I want to surprise them." 

 

"Mommy's going to kill me when she finds out you know." 

 

"I'll make sure she doesn't trust me.  I love you babygirl.  See you in a few hours."  

 

"I love you too daddy."  I hear the phone click and I hold it to my heart.  I can't even begin to express how grateful I am that my daddy and my uncle are okay.  I see Justin walking back toward me and feeling overwhelmed, I rush to him and throw my arms around his neck. 

 

"Wow, I was only gone for like ten minutes.  This is the best welcome I've ever gotten in such a short time."  He says laughing.  I just cry and hold him tighter. 

 

"Are you alright?  Did something happen since I was outside?"  I'm a blubbering mess but I get out a response. 

 

"My daddy's alive.  He's alright.  I was so scared that something went wrong.  And to hear that he's okay...it's the best gift in the world."  He squeezes me tighter and I welcome his embrace. 

 

"That's amazing girl.  Did he just call you?" 

 

"Yep, he said he's in Lake Charles.  About three hours away.  I'm going to pick him up from the Greyhound station downtown." 

 

"Are you going alone?" 

 

"Probably.  He wants to surprise my mom and sisters and they're all asleep.  I don't mind though.  I won't be alone for long."  I reply, getting this huge smile on my face.  Neither of us noticed that he was still holding me until I felt him tug on the belt loops of my jeans.  I begin to let go, but he holds me in place. 

 

"Umm...I'm alright now.  Thank you for being here in this moment.  I really needed a hug."  I say and push myself out of his arms.  I miss his embrace already, which is kinda disturbing seeing as though I don't know him that well.  I'll just chalk it up to getting caught up in the moment.  

 

Yeah...that's it. 

 

"I can come with you if you'd like.  You know, keep you company until he gets there.  Just so you won't be alone." 

 

"That's okay.  Haven't you called your ride already?  I don't want to keep you any longer than I already have."

 

"This may seem a bit selfish of me but, I'd really like to be there to see you reunite with your father.  I feel like I'm apart of this in some way.  I don't want to infringe on your moment or anything but I feel like I'd be missing out on something beautiful and I'd love to witness that."  His words seem so sincere and I wouldn't mind the company.  He begins to speak again, breaking my train of thought.   

 

"We can take the car if you want.  I've already ordered it and this way, you won't have to drive."   

 

"Are you sure?  He won't get here for another three hours and the car's on the way now.  What do we do in the meantime?" 

 

"Well, you can come back to the hotel with me and we can hang in the 24 hour cafe' downstairs.  My hotel shouldn't be too far from the bus station.  When time comes, we'll call the service again and be on our way."  I look at him hesitantly, shocked that he's willing to go through this much trouble for me. 

 

"If you don't mind, I'd love the company.  Thank you so much."  I say and look down.  He puts his hand under my chin so I can meet his eyes.  The color of azure blue with flecks of grey running through them is awe-inspiring.  I stare longer than I intend to and he rubs my arm. 

 

"Where'd your mind go?"  He asks. 

 

"I'm just thinking about how nice you're being.  I don't even know what to say."  Tears start falling and he pads them away with his thumb. 

 

"Hey, it's okay, I promise.  I'm just glad I can help."  He gets a call that tells him the car's outside.   

 

"Is that the car?" 

 

"Yeah, let's go get your father." 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1327