This Love by Teeny
Past Featured StorySummary: *Sequel to Crossing Paths* True love has finally prevailed for Cat and Justin, but that was just the first step in their mismatched relationship...
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: Season 2
Genres: Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: No Word count: 164810 Read: 93752 Published: Apr 08, 2009 Updated: Jun 01, 2009

1. Chapter 1 by Teeny

2. Chapter 2 by Teeny

3. Chapter 3 by Teeny

4. Chapter 4 by Teeny

5. Chapter 5 by Teeny

6. Chapter 6 by Teeny

7. Chapter 7 by Teeny

8. Chapter 8 by Teeny

9. Chapter 9 by Teeny

10. Chapter 10 by Teeny

11. Chapter 11 by Teeny

12. Chapter 12 by Teeny

13. Chapter 13 by Teeny

14. Chapter 14 by Teeny

15. Chapter 15 by Teeny

16. Chapter 16 by Teeny

17. Chapter 17 by Teeny

18. Chapter 18 by Teeny

19. Chapter 19 by Teeny

20. Chapter 20 by Teeny

21. Chapter 21 by Teeny

22. Chapter 22 by Teeny

23. Chapter 23 by Teeny

24. Chapter 24 by Teeny

25. Chapter 25 by Teeny

26. Chapter 26 by Teeny

27. Chapter 27 by Teeny

28. Chapter 28 by Teeny

29. Chapter 29 by Teeny

30. Chapter 30 by Teeny

31. Chapter 31 by Teeny

32. Chapter 32 by Teeny

33. Chapter 33 by Teeny

34. Chapter 34 by Teeny

Chapter 1 by Teeny
I’ll always look back on 2004 as the year that I changed. I’m not sure whether I would classify it as a maturing year for me, or a year which got me back on my feet after a few idling years of confusion; I would just simply say, for better or for worse, I changed.

Not drastically. I’m still Cat, of course. I still roll my eyes at the morning sun or birds chirping. I still interject sarcastic comments into every available space in a conversation, whether I was invited to or not. I still haven’t found the time to join a gym to try and gain some semblance of muscles in my legs, and each time I try and work out in Justin’s gym, the TV calls out to me and I end up watching something on Comedy Central with popcorn in my hand.

But then, how have I changed? Surely I’m just the same, cynical girl that I was a year ago?

Well, yes, I am. But this time around it’s different, because I have a boyfriend.

Have you ever noticed that as soon as you drop the phrase, ‘My boyfriend and I’ into a conversation, everyone abruptly stops and listens to you? You suddenly have something interesting to say, you have the membership card to the ‘Couple Club’; people hold you in such high regard, just because you’re in a relationship.

Particularly so when it’s, ‘My boyfriend, Justin Timberlake, and I’. Every time I casually drop that phrase into a conversation, it’s as though I’ve whispered, ‘abracadabra’, and I get treated with the respect and admiration I so clearly should have received all along.

So, who do you think instigated this cocky, arrogant, ‘I’m the shit, and don’t you forget it’ attitude that you’ve never heard from me before?

I’ll give you three guesses.

Even after five months, I’m still getting used to being ‘Justin Timberlake’s girlfriend’. Every day I wake up and look to my right to see him still sleeping beneath the covers, one arm thrown protectively over my waist, and I think, is this really happening? Have the events of the past year just been the crazy daydreams of a desperate girl? Am I going to wake up any second and find myself living at Diane’s, working in the grocery store, and very much alone?

I pray to God not.

I’m sure everyone is confused when they see us together. Here I am, this insecure, anti-love, sassy girl, who is on the arm of a gorgeous, happy, confident specimen of a man. What could we possibly have in common? To be frank, I don’t know. Our outlooks on life are completely different, our personalities can clash dreadfully at times, and let’s be honest, I don’t follow the pattern of his slew of beautiful girlfriends.

So it’s true. We don’t match. We’re the odd pair. The pair people raise their eyebrows at and tut disapprovingly, because they know we’ll never last. The rulebook would probably classify us as truly fucked.

The odd thing is, neither of us care.

I never tell anyone this, because it makes me sound like one of those crappy romantic novels you read on planes because they’re long and take up a portion of your traveling time, but sometimes I think I love Justin so much it hurts. It’s as though he’s my oxygen, and without him, I can’t breathe. I’m almost afraid to close my eyes, in case I open them and find that he isn’t there. I love him too much.

But don’t tell anyone I said that. I do have a reputation to uphold, after all.

---------------------------------------------------

If there’s anything I’ve learnt over the past year, it’s if you want something bad enough, you’ll get it. I wanted peace and quiet from the press, which I got. I was finally away from parties, alcohol, girls, I got that too. I wanted to just have a year living as a semi-normal guy, goofing around with my friends, which I got.

I wanted Cat so badly I thought it was going to tear me in two, but it didn’t, and I got her as well.

Maybe it’s a little conceited to assume I ‘got her’ After all, I was the one who was dragged under by her sarcasm and her ability to make me laugh when I least expected it, so much so that there was a point where I could do nothing but pine for her. When I say I got her, it’s as though it was just another thing I conquered, but it wasn’t. I know for a fact she was this close to staying with Sean and forgetting all about me. I suppose it would be fairer to say she got me.

I thank God everyday she didn’t pick him. I mean, he was the easy way out, he was the more obvious answer. I couldn’t give her the promises of forever like Sean could. I don’t have the intelligence that they have. I didn’t have the acceptable appeal that Sean did.

But she did choose me, as she reminds me when I’m bitching about the fact she’s still friends with him. She said she ‘owed it to him’ to at least be civil, it was the least she could do after everything that had happened. My reply normal is whatever. Cat is a great catch, even though it may have taken me a while to figure it out, and I know if she wasn’t my girlfriend, I’d wish she was. Actually, I’ve already been there, but anyway…I trust her completely, but if he makes one move that I deem less than appropriate, that guy will wish he was never born…

It feels good to be able to talk about Cat like that. To be all protective over her, and to have the right to claim she is ‘mine’, even though if she heard me say that, she’d go all feminist on me. Just because we’re in a relationship doesn’t mean she’s any less independent. She keeps any affection for me behind closed doors. She refuses to admit she loves me if other people are around. You probably wouldn’t even know we were together if you saw us together.

But, like I said, behind closed doors, when we’re alone, she’s so different. She allows herself to be much more defenseless and exposed, and doesn’t keep so many secrets. I’ve learnt more about what goes on in her head during one of our midnight talks as we lay in bed than I did throughout our entire friendship. In a rare moment of vulnerability, she admitted she felt safe when she was with me, as though she could let her guard down a little, and not be what people expected her to be.

I know what she means. Everyone expects her to be funny and dry all the time, when sometimes I know she just wants to sit in the corner and observe what’s going on around her. I think she’s always felt as though if she wasn’t that way, people wouldn’t like her. I had known Cat was insecure when we were friends, but she always made it seem funny. It was as though she could turn anything into a joke, so she’d say her legs were like tree trunks, and that was just the calf, stuff like that. It was funny, but when I realized she actually meant it, it wasn’t funny at all.

I don’t know whether we’ll be together for ever. I can hope, and I can be thankful for the blissful few months we’ve had, but I’ll never really know. But even if we aren’t, and I’m left a shell of a man because I quite frankly can’t live without her, as long as she’s happy in her own skin, that’s all that matters.
Chapter 2 by Teeny
The steady hum of the shower slowly awakes my senses as I roll over, trying to get away from the glare of the sun, which is pouring in through the window. Trying to decide whether to get up and close the curtain or to simply lie in bed until the sun forces me to rise, I groan as I hear the shower turned off and the door of the bathroom open.

Lazily opening a heavy eyelid, I see Cat scuttle around the room, holding her towel tightly around her chest as she picks up her clothes for work. She returns to the bathroom to get changed, casting a quick eye over my sleeping figure as she does so, as though she’s scared I might have seen her. It infuriates me when she acts like that. What has the girl got against being naked? It's not like we haven't been intimate before.

Drowsiness takes over me again, until the door opens again and Cat emerges, all pretty and glowly from her shower. She walks over to me and drops a quick kiss on my forehead, giving my hair a slight tousle as does so, before starting to turn away and leave. I wearily try to make my eyes fully open as she looms over me, smiling.

“Hey, sleepyhead,” she says softly, in a sweet voice no one but me gets to hear.

“Hi,” I mumble, hitting my pillow slightly to make it fluffier. “Are you going to work?”

She nods. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“Being woken with a kiss is more pleasant than an alarm clock,” I sigh, trying to sit up. “I was waking up anyway.”

“Well, I have to go,” she smiles, dropping another kiss to my temple.

“No!” I moan, like some teenager told they had to go to a family reunion. “Stay here with me.”

She laughs as I grasp her wrist and try to pull her back to bed. “Sorry Justin, but I have to go to work.”

“Yeah, to work on me,” I mutter, grinning as she places a swift smack on the back of my head.

“You’re even cockier in the mornings,” she says, although I can hear the cracks in her disapproving tone. She’s not mad. She couldn’t be if she tried.

“Don’t go,” I whine again, opening the comforter and quickly pulling her under it and on top of me, as she gasps with surprise.

“Justin! I have to go to work.”

“No you don’t,” I reply simply, wrapping my arms around her and burying my nose in to her freshly cleaned hair. “Not when you smell this good.”

She laughs and tries to pull away. “Justin, I really, really have to go.”

“Fine,” I mumble, allowing her to get out of the bed. “But make sure Sean doesn’t come and smell you. You know how little boys’ imaginations are when it comes to nice smelling women.”

“Little boys? He’s older than you, my dear,” she says in a motherly tone.

“Just make sure he knows his place, okay?”

This earns me a swift roll of the eyes. “Justin, we’ve talked about this…”

“Come back on your lunch hour?” I plead, sticking out my bottom lip. There’s no way I’m letting her stay with the conniving little prick. I bet, on the first chance he gets, he’ll dive straight into her pants.

She tries not to grin, but doesn’t succeed. “Fine, but just because I don’t want to hang out in the office.”

“Sure, sure,” I say in a condescending voice. “You know love the Timber-love.”

She laughs and readjusts her skirt. “About as much as I love bikini waxes.”

Wrinkling my nose in disgust, I fiddle with my pillow until they’re upright and I can sit back on them. “Just be back here at one, young lady.”

“Okay,” she replies, turning away again.

“Ahem,” I cough, and she spins around.

“What?”

“No kiss?”

“I’ve given you two!” she exclaims, smiling.

“Well, I want two more.”

Rolling her eyes, she mutters something along the lines of pop stars being the most spoilt people ever to walk the earth’s surface, before bending down and giving me a kiss on the lips.

“There. Pleased?”

“One more,” I say, and she tries to keep the smile off her face as she gives me another kiss. “Thank you,” I reply, as she pulls away, a blush entering her cheeks.

“No problem. I’ll see you in a few hours.”

She tosses a wave over her shoulder before crossing the room to the door. Just as her hands land on the brass knob, I call out, “Love you!”

She pauses and smiles, looking down at her hands. “Love you too,” she whispers shyly.

Grinning, I sling the covers over my head again, burying myself in the depths of my bed as I hear the car start in the driveway. I don’t even contemplate what I could or should do with my time until Cat comes back, because I know that without her, everything just seems too boring.

Feeling myself succumb to a stupor again, I roll over to Cat’s side, inhaling the perfume left on the sheets. Cat would just love it if she saw me smelling her pillow, I can imagine her words running along the lines of, ‘Dear God, he’s more feminine than I suspected’. But she would love it secretly. She loves me secretly, I know it.

I hope things stay like this forever.

--------------------------------------------------------

I tried to wipe off the stupid smile on my face, I really did. In fact, I even got it down to a close mouthed smile, before I just couldn’t resist showing my teeth again.

Yes, I am irritatingly in love; even his horrific attempt to grow a beard hasn’t put me off. Where’s that steadfast feminist of mine gone, huh?

I don’t know. She probably hightailed it out of here the first time Justin bought me a bouquet of my favorite flowers (lilies, and he worked that out all on his own) and I almost started crying. To be fair, it was dangerously close to that time of the month and I was extremely emotional that day because it had just been awful, with all these unmet deadlines and everything, and he happened to have the instinct to do something nice to cheer me up. So, when you think about it, it’s not that pathetic. Sure, it’s semi pathetic, but not fully pathetic.

Or maybe she dissolved when I woke up on my birthday and he had written this card which really should have made me vomit because of it’s saccharine sweet words, but ended up making me almost faint when he wrote, ‘I love you, just the way you are. I wouldn’t change you for the world, and I hope you’ll always remember that’. See? I even memorized it. What does that say about that supposed inner feminist?

Perhaps she faded into oblivion the first time Justin and I made lov--sorry, sorry, had sex. I was petrified, but hey what’s new, and spent far longer than I should have making sure the light was off and the curtains were drawn, just so his vision could be skewered by the darkness. He was so sweet, and made this joke about him getting naked first, so if I didn’t laugh at him, he wouldn’t laugh at me. Of course, he didn’t laugh at me, instead he kept whispering how perfect I was, even though I knew he was lying, and didn’t say anything about how awful I must look naked. He must have grasped somewhere along the line that I have no sexual skills whatsoever, so I allowed him to fully take charge and before I knew it…my oh my.

Yes, the feminist definitely took the back seat that night. I didn’t even pretend to be disappointed in Justin’s performance or make any jokes about it, I just lay there and he fell asleep, his angelic body up against me. Okay, okay, so maybe I cried a tiny bit, but it was no big deal! And it was just for a second anyway, it’s not like I was in hysterics…Of course, he woke up and thought he’d done something terribly wrong and I somehow murmured no, quite the opposite.

“Then why are you crying?”

“I don’t know,” I whimpered, clutching at my pillow as I felt him press himself against my back, peering over at me to see what was wrong.

“I thought you hated crying?”

“I do!” I snapped, hastily trying to brush my tears away in the dark room. “I’m not even crying.”

“Yes you are.”

“No I’m not!”

He smiled at me. “I think you are.”

“I am not!”

“Okay, you’re not,” he said, dropping kisses on my naked shoulder as I shuddered beneath his touch. “You know I love you Cat, don’t you?”

I somehow managed to nod.

“And you know I think you’re beautiful?”

“But that’s the point!” I exclaimed, squeezing my eyes shut as I felt the tears build up in them once again. “This is all so…overwhelming.”

He put a hand to my shoulder, pulling me around to face him. He gently wiped away at my tears with his thumbs as he held my face in his hands. “Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

“I don’t know,” I shrugged helplessly. “It’s just…all this; it’s not something I’m used to. And what just happened was…” I trailed off, my wide knowledge of the English language still not enough to express how I felt. “Wonderful,” I completed, for lack of a better word. “I’ve just never felt like this before,” I whispered bashfully.

Before I knew it, I was sobbing into his shoulder all over again. People say that it’s normal to cry after sex, for a “release of emotion”, but I’ve never done that. I’ve always been the type of girl to find some adequate enjoyment, reflect on it for a second (with very little nostalgia, I must add), and then roll over to go to sleep.

So what is this? Why can’t I just stop the tears flowing down my cheeks as I grip helplessly onto Justin? This is so unlike me.

He chuckled slightly and soothingly stroked my hair, “It’s alright, it’s alright,” he whispered, presumably wondering where the hell it was all coming from. Same here, Timberlake.

“This is so stupid,” I mumbled into his chest as he kissed my head.

“No it’s not,” he said, leaning back slightly. “Something amazing just happened; it’s okay to be overwhelmed.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Sex is a big thing. A lot of women get emotional.”

“But not me!” I protest, jabbing at my chest angrily.

“Why not?”

“Because…” I floundered helplessly, “I’m just not like that!”

He sighed, cocking his head to the side to look at me for a moment. “You know Cat, you don’t have to be tough all the time,” he murmured gently, lying back down on the pillow as his hand continued to stroke my hair. “You can let down your guard a little sometimes."

“But I do have to keep my guard up, Justin. If I’m not being sarcastic, or pessimistic, or funny, then what am I? People will just realize that without that stuff, I have no personality, no wit, no good points at all--”

“That’s not true,” he replied immediately. “Why do you care what people think so much?”

I shrugged. “Doesn’t everyone?”

He sighed. “Cat sweetie, sure, I can see where you’re coming from. I mean, look at me, I have a whole world to please, but you have to make yourself happy before anyone else.”

“I am happy,” I interjected shyly, looking down at the sheets. “I’m happier than I’ve been in a long time.”

“So am I,” he said, reaching up and lightly touching my cheek as he smiled at me. “And one day you’ll realize that people won’t look down on you because you’re happy and not talking about how awful the world is.” I blushed guiltily. That was exactly what I was worried about. “You’re funny Cat, you know you are, but you can still be funny and in love at the same time.”

“But I’ve lost all my sarcastic wit,” I joked, a weak smile crossing my features.

He laughed. “Cat, you’re never going to lose your sarcastic wit.”

I laughed with him, wiping away the last traces of my tears, and nestled into bed beside him, his arm automatically going around me.

“I love you,” I said unexpectedly, as his body meshes into mine.

His smile broadened. “I love you too.”


So fine, I admit to being completely and utterly at the hands of Mr. Timberlake.

But can you really blame me?
Chapter 3 by Teeny
“In what year was John F. Kennedy elected as president for the United States?”

“1960,” is the first thing I hear from Cat as she strolls into the house, throwing her keys into a little bowl with a clatter.

“Hey,” I say, turning away from the TV, where Trace and I are currently engrossed in the Weakest Link.

“Hi,” she replies, entering the games room with a bottle of water in her hand.

“19...70,” answers the scared young man on the screen with a stutter. Anne shouts, ‘Incorrect!’ at him, before carrying on.

Cat rolls her eyes. “We Americans are so stupid.”

“Come sit down,” I usher her in, patting the place beside me. She sits down, screwing the lid back onto the bottle, before I attack her with kisses.

“Justin!” she exclaims, “Your beard tickles!”

“You love it really,” I mutter, nuzzling my face against her cheek.

“Actually, I don’t. Justin, stop it,” she warns, her eyes darting over to where Trace is sitting.

“I’m not here,” he waves off, his gaze transfixed to the TV.

“But I am,” I grin, before once again planting my lips on hers.

She giggles, before wriggling out of my grasp. “Miss me much?”

“Just a tad,” I reply, grinning at her as she kicks off her shoes. “How was work?”

She shrugs. “’Kay.”

I raise an eyebrow. “Not good?”

She shakes her head. “No, just not exciting.”

“How’s Sean?” I ask sarcastically, turning my furious eyes onto the television, so she can’t see how much his very name pisses me off.

“Justin…” she begins wearily, as she does whenever I pester her about him. “He’s my work colleague, I have to be his friend. Can you imagine how awkward things would be if I hadn’t made any attempt to patch things up, but we still had to share a cubicle?”

“Can’t you move cubicles?” I insist.

She rolls her eyes. “No. Unfortunately the office seating plan does not rotate around my personal problems.”

“Oh, so he is a problem?”

“For you, apparently so.”

“I don’t care about him,” I say, knowing my lips has protruded and I can officially be classified as, ‘pouting’. “I just don’t like the close proximity in which you two work.”

“Don’t be silly,” she murmurs, resting her head against my chest as she gently strokes the soft fabric of my shirt. “You know I love you.”

“Yes, I know, but I also know he loves you.”

“He’s got a girlfriend,” she mutters, shaking her head at me.

“Oh! Well, in that case…he’s a great guy.”

She giggles and smacks me in the chest, hurrying into the kitchen before returning with a hastily made sandwich. “So, what have you boys been doing all day?” she asks, taking a bite of ham.

“Not much,” shrugs Trace. “We went to visit my cousin, but Justin wasted a ton of time whining because he couldn’t find any jeans to wear, so we only went for a few hours.”

“Are you kidding?!” she exclaims, almost choking on her food. “Justin, you have a ton of jeans!”

“But they’re not nice!” I defend.

“They’re all exactly the same!”

“Exactly, so that means if one pair is bad, so are the rest. Logically, that is.”

She rolls her eyes. “So, what are you going to do about your, ‘problem’?”

“Go shopping,” I reply simply. “Hey, wanna come with me?”

“I don’t like shopping,” she groans, leaning into the sofa as she stares at the television.

“But all girls like shopping!” I exclaim in dismay.

She looks at me from the corner of her eye. “But Justin, I’m not all girls. Surely you would have realized that by now?”

I grin and drop a kiss on her cheek, eliciting a cute blush. “You’re ten times better.”

She scratches her cheek slightly, the roughness of my beard tickling her face. “Can I ask when you and Trace are going to shave?”

“It’s a competition!” Trace says, finally tearing his eyes from the program. “To see who can go the longest without shaving!”

“Yes, yes, I am well aware of the said contest,” mutters Cat, shaking her head as she eats the last of her sandwich. “I just wondered if either of you have actually seen a mirror lately.”

“What do you mean?” I ask, scratching my face, the day’s growth prickling my fingers. “You don’t like it?”

She shrugs. “Do you want me to be honest?”

I pause. “Give me a watered down version.”

“You look like a homeless person,” she says simply, turning back to the TV, trying to suppress a smile.

“That’s watered down?” I protest.

“Hey Justin, the truth would have included the words, ‘dead’ and ‘animal’, so consider yourself lucky.” She turns to Trace. “And I don’t know why you’re laughing. You are merely the hobo’s shorter, hairier friend.”

Trace’s laughing ceases. “So if I shave, will you come shopping with me?” I plead.

“You’d do that for me?” she says in a mock sweet tone, batting her eyelashes.

“You can shave it yourself,” I reply, grinning as she smiles at me.

“You got yourself a deal.”

I pat her knee and get up, giving Trace a slight push as I walk past him. “I’ll go and get ready, then.”

“Are you shaving or are we going out?” she calls out.

“Which would you prefer?” I tease, popping my head around the doorframe.

“We can shop tomorrow. The sooner that thing is removed, the better.” She briskly wipes her hands and stands up, turning to Trace. “Are you going to keep yours, little dude?”

He nods and scratches his chin thoughtfully. “I think it gives me a rugged sex appeal.”

She laughs and tousles his hair. “Definitely.”

“Excuse me?” I call out from the hall.

“Nothing!” Trace replies with a shout. “Your girlfriend was just complimenting my admirable sexual attractiveness!”

“What?” I say, scowling as I stand in the doorway of the games room, an eyebrow raised.

“Nothing, nothing,” Cat brushes off, walking over to where I stand and running a hand over my cheek. “So, shall we remove the beast right now?”

“Are you sure you don’t like it?” I whine, stamping my foot at the thought of removing what has taken a good week and a half to grow.

“Yes,” she replies sternly. “You know how crazy that thing makes me.”

“Yeah, crazy with desire,” I wink, grinning at her.

She rolls her eyes. “About as crazy with desire as I was with my fifth grade geography teacher who, by the way, had a comb over and an unfortunate skin disease.”

“Harsh, harsh,” I grin, clutching my chest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the razor poised in my hands, I stand above Justin, surveying the creature currently residing on Justin’s baby face. Why him and Trace thought this was a good idea, I don’t know. Personally, I think it makes him look like a terrorist, but their male stupidity blinded them into thinking they actually looked good.

They were wrong.

“Okay, so where do I begin?” I ask, tilting Justin’s head up to get a rough idea of the surface area covered by the monstrosity.

“Wherever you want, sweetheart,” he says, grinning as he looks at me in the mirror.

I wish I could laugh, but I know that if I get one tiny scratch on Justin’s porcelain face, people will think I’ve finally gone crazy and hacked up his good looks. Not to mention the relentless whining I’ll hear from Justin, who I’ve discovered is the reason the word conceited was invented. If he has one little nick, he’ll freak out and ask me for concealer so his flawless complexion isn’t ruined. Don’t laugh, he’s done it before.

How the hell am I supposed to do this? Oddly enough, I don’t feel comfortable waving a sharp implement quite so close to his jugular. I can barely even shave my own legs. He must remember the time I ran out of the bathroom howling because I had cut my leg with my razor, and was slightly surprised by the unyielding blood gushing out of my shin. Who knew so much blood could surge from one little cut?

“Seriously, what am I supposed to do?”

“You’ve never shaved a man before?”

I roll my eyes. “Surprisingly…no.”

“Aw, you’re a virgin.” He pauses to waggle his eyebrows. “In some ways, at least.”

In an attempt to hide the blush spreading across my cheeks, I sulkily put my hand on my hip. “Justin, I am quite astounded by your ability to reel off insulting remarks when I am the one holding a lethal weapon.”

“It’s not lethal if you know what you’re doing.”

“Which I don’t,” I helpfully interject.

Ignoring me, he carries on. “Look, it’s simple. You just take the blade like this,” he takes my hand, his touch still gentle despite the taunting in his tone, “and just glide it up, like this,” he moves our clasped hands upwards, removing a neat line of hair and shaving foam from his face.

“Oh my goodness, I can see your cheek without a dense forest of crap on it. This is quite a Kodak moment,” I tease, washing the razor in the sink and turning back to him.

“Why didn’t you tell me you didn’t like it?” he asks grinning, as I cautiously press the blade to his skin.

“Because I thought you were making a statement,” I murmur distractedly, praying I’m not pressing too hard. “You know, that you weren’t just a pretty boy but had a sparkling, intelligent personality too. But then I witnessed your amazing Rock, Paper, Scissors tournament with Trace, and realized that that couldn’t be it. So now I just have it narrowed down to you and Trace being incredibly stupid.”

He laughs, but quickly stops when I gasp and pull the razor away, his sudden movement shaking the blade in my hand. “Don’t worry sweetheart, you won’t cut me,” he says, as I scowl at him before resuming my job. “And even if you did, I know you would take care of me.”

Not answering him, I continue to shave him, my head bent down.

“You would, wouldn’t you?” he repeats, his lips once again parting in a broad smile as he makes the mistake of slapping my ass.

“Justin, do that again, and I’ll chop your hand off.”

“When a woman says stop, she really means more,” he says philosophically, placing both hands square on my bottom and pulling me atop of him.

“Justin!” I exclaim, holding the razor above my head. “I could have cut you!”

“But you didn’t,” he brushes off. “Just admit it Cat, if something was wrong with me, you’d be at my beck and call.”

Relenting, I sigh. “Of course I would.”

“And why would you do that?” he enquires innocently.

Smiling, I know exactly what he wants to hear. “Because I love you.”

“Thank you.” His hands creep under my thighs and pull one leg on each side of him, so I’m sitting quite comfortably on his lap. “And I love you too.”

Shyly, I bend down to give him a quick kiss, his lips still igniting the same tingly sensation they have since day one.

“Well, well,” he grins even more cockily, looking down into his lap. “Aren’t we in a compromising position?”

Trying to suppress a smile, I roll my eyes. “Just take a second to think about all the things I could cut off with this blade, Justin.”

His grasp on my hips tighten. “Fine, fine, just carry on with what you were doing.”

“On your lap?”

“Yes,” he replies simply, raising an eyebrow. “After all, you’ll get a closer shave this way.”

“Mmmhmm, whatever,” I reply, removing the final traces of the horrific beard as smoothly as I could.

Don’t assume for one second I was completely unperturbed at the idea of being quite so close to Justin, or, more specifically, his crotch. It grew exceedingly hard to wipe images of me, Justin, and a bed out of my mind as he carelessly rubbed my skin with his hands, his gaze on me as I stared at his face in deep concentration. I’m not usually one for sex fantasies at five in the afternoon, but hey, straddling Justin Timberlake in a skirt has proved to be the ultimate mind-boggler.

Once I was finished, I triumphantly threw the razor into the sink and wiped his face of any remaining shaving foam.

“See? Look how much better you look without a mammoth on your face!”

He smirks and runs a hand over the smooth skin. “I guess you’re right.” He shrugs nonchalantly.

Rolling my eyes, I turn to the mirror, running a hand through my hair. “It must be great to look in the mirror and know your reflection is drop dead gorgeous.”

“Well, you know that too,” he says, coming up behind me and slipping his arms around my waist, resting his chin on my shoulder.

Frowning at my appearance in the mirror, I shake my head. “Not really.” He glares and I immediately correct myself. “I mean, I know I’m not ugly. I’m just…nothing special, I guess. Not like you.”

“That’s bullshit, Cat,” he says sternly, still scowling at me. “How many times a day to I tell you how beautiful you are?”

“About ten,” I murmur sheepishly. And he does. Every morning, every night, every waking hour, I hear, ‘Cat, you’re so beautiful’ or ‘Cat, you know those other girls on TV don’t amount to anything compared to you’… He’s so thoughtful, and kind, and lovable, and sexy…

“So how many times have I got to say it until you believe me?” he says, almost angrily.

“I’m sorry,” I whisper timidly.

He sighs, and rests his forehead on my shoulder for a second. “I just hate to hear you say that stuff, Cat. It makes me feel like I’m doing badly in my job as a boyfriend.”

Turning around to him, I stroke his smooth cheek. “What do you mean, silly? You couldn’t do better if you tried.”

He shrugs and pulls me in for a hug, burying his face in my neck, which he always does when he wants comforting. “I should make you feel like the most amazing woman in the world, and I’m clearly not.”

“Justin, this has nothing to do with you. This is all about me and my crazy head.” My hands automatically rub his back soothingly, his hot breath tickling my neck.

“What can I do to make you feel beautiful?” he asks quietly, inadvertently causing my eyebrow to raise at his comment.

I could think of a few things…

Dear goodness, here we go again. All these unexpected lapses into sexual thoughts must stop immediately. All I need is a calendar of a half-dressed Pamela Anderson pinned on the back of my bedroom door and I’m a fully fledged teenage boy, for Christ’s sake.

“Nothing,” I reply, giving his back one last rub before pulling away from him. “Come on, let’s not talk about this any more.”

His hands stay on my hips, his eyes darkening. “Oh, I think there’s something,” he whispers, his voice lowering as his eyes take a dip down over my body. “I think there are a few things,” he says, grinning cockily.

Ah, it’s, ‘The Voice’.

People have little quirky, unique seduction techniques that they always pull when they want to get someone into bed. (Excluding me, of course. My one and only attempt to ‘seduce’ Justin ended proved to be a little less than successful. Who knew it was so easy to trip over one’s own feet?). I’ve accepted the fact I have no sexual prowess at all, so when I’m feeling bold enough to initiate sex, I go extremely shy and can’t touch nor look at Justin without blushing, until he catches on and leads me to the bedroom. It’s a wonderful, artful method. How can he not resist someone that goes beet red and mumbles something along the lines of, ‘There’s a bed upstairs, you know’?

But, of course, Justin Timberlake’s seduction technique is refined and smooth and fine tuned to a point where I am quite powerless against his urges. He lowers his voice, he starts staring at everything apart from my face, so yes, my chest, and then starts kissing this really sensitive point on my neck until I’m practically begging him to quit the goddamn teasing.

But he doesn’t always win, and he won’t today. Cat Saunders is not swayed by the simplest of touches, the tone of someone’s voice, or wandering hands. She has strength, willpower, resistance, and will not bow to--

“Oh Justin,” I moan, his lips grazing against the skin of my neck.

Screw willpower.

“Yes?” he says in the same husky, deep, quiet tone.

“Trace is just downstairs…” I mumble helplessly, feeling his hands glide up my shirt. “We’ve just left him alone…”

“He’s a big boy. He’ll be fine,” Justin mutters, his hands rubbing the small of my back, pulling me towards him. “And anyway, he left to see that girlfriend of his. We have the house all to ourselves…”

“But Justin…” I rue the day I met Justin and allowed my IQ to drop to the point where I can’t even complete sentences. I used to be a key debater, with a sparkling vocabulary, now I’m a whimpering, ‘Oh Justin’ mess.

“Don’t start, Miss Saunders,” he orders as my legs hit the base of the bed. Hold on, how did I get from over there to…over here?

I’m beginning to wonder whether I’m just fighting a losing battle.

“I’m not going to stop…” he presses his lips against my collarbone. “Until you know…” my body collapses onto the bed, and he climbs over me, his muscular figure hovering over my curvy one. “Just how beautiful…” His burning touch leaves a trail of tingling nerves as he stealthily slides his hand up my outer thigh. “You really are.”

My body helplessly relaxes into the plush sheets of Justin’s bed, any form of resistance well and truly shattered as his lips start their epic journey down my neck, over my stomach, and to the button of my skirt. He grins at me and eases the skirt off my hips, his self-satisfied smirk letting me know just how much he is enjoying the obligation that I gave him so easily. I would protest with some feminist crap, but the steady contact of his skin and mine seems to have knocked the breath out of me, or at least brought the functions of my brain to a terrific standstill.

He slowly…teasingly, in fact, the bastard…unbuttons my blouse, punctuating each open button with a kiss. He discards my top over his shoulder carelessly, quickly returning to me to skim his lips over mine.

“Feel beautiful yet?” he whispers, his hands encircling my waist.

“Not yet,” I reply coyly, reaching down to pull his sweater over his head, his heated skin warming my cold body.

He smiles at me as my hands explore the expanse of his back, feeling the muscles ripple with every movement he makes. A fluttery feeling of excitement grows in my stomach as his jeans become a distant memory on the floor beside my skirt and top.

His fingers start grappling at my bra as I mentally go over a hundred Cosmo articles about always wearing sexy lingerie in case you get caught in impromptu sex. Why didn’t I ever listen to them? Why did I pick today to wear the most boring, white, something-your-mom would wear underwear?

But he doesn’t say anything, and pretty soon, my mind couldn’t be further from my choice of underwear. My bra soon joins the every growing pile of our garments, and I gasp when his mouth comes into contact with my skin, pangs of pleasure shooting through my body. Reality slowly slips from my finger tips, no matter how hard I try and hold onto it, as his talented mouth works its wonders on my body.

“We’ve not even started yet,” he chuckles cockily, clearly finding my easily pleased nature amusing as he makes a wandering line of kisses down my stomach.

Why does arrogance have to be so attractive?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Giving is as good as receiving, okay? I’ve decided. Giving rocks.

Especially when the receiver keeps on gasping, and whimpering, and whispering my name, and biting her lip, and sighing contentedly every now and then.

Especially when the receiver is Cat.

Cat has a thing about sex. She hates to talk about it, she hates people knowing she’s having it, and sometimes I wonder whether she might even hate sex. It’s all down to this screwy mentality that she has that she’s not beautiful and her body is horrific, and I think that can get in the way of things sometimes. I realize a lot of women are like that, but Cat is so self-conscious low self esteem literally pours from her the first few times we have sex, or even just fooled around a little. She got nervous and it took time for her to relax, a problem we still have sometimes.

The sooner she realizes that different doesn’t necessarily mean worse, the better. Sure, her body isn’t like Britney’s, or any of the other women I’ve seen along the way, but it’s still beautiful. In some ways I prefer being with Cat than anyone else, because she’s …softer, and easier to cuddle. I always have this incredible urge to protect her when she drops the act and shows me just how scared of some things she is. I want to please her, to make her realize what a great thing sex is and it’s nothing to be ashamed about, and I think I’m slowly doing that.

We had been together for three months before she tentatively whispered something along the lines of, ‘You can stay in my room if you want’. I can’t tell you how much my heart leapt. I was curious, in a way, to see how she’d behave once the lights were out and the bedroom door was closed. The transformation from a seemingly confident, sarcastic Cat to this shy, nervous girl was quite astounding. I liked seeing an introverted side of Cat, it took the edge off her, but I’m glad to see she’s not as inhibited as she once was. She’ll always be gentle in bed, and she’ll never talk about it freely, but it’s a comfort to think I’ve pulled her out of the place where it was something that she couldn’t enjoy. Now, she doesn’t so much get jittery or nervous, she just seems amazed that it’s happening. As though this is the first meeting with pleasure she’s ever had.

I cannot tell you how good that feels.

Kneeling back slightly, I run my hands over the curves of her body, memorizing every inch of her, from the dip of her waist to the arch in her foot. She is beautiful, and I’m determined to make her see that too.

“What’s wrong?” she asks, fear suddenly pooling her eyes as she watches me examine her almost naked body. Instinctively, her arms cover her chest.

“Nothing, nothing,” I reply, gently grasping her wrists and pulling them away from her, feeling her body relax slightly. “I just can’t believe how beautiful you are.”

She tries to hide her pleased grin. “You’re going to be saying that all the time now, aren’t you?”

Chuckling slightly, I bend down to retrace my earlier kisses on her neck. “Yup.”

“Well, I don’t mind,” she says, wrapping her arms around my neck as I grind into her slightly. “Oh-oh,” she whimpers.

I smile at her gasps and press harder, peeking a glance at her swollen lips and flushed cheeks. I could go on forever, teasing her like this, chuckling at the wispy pants escaping her lips, but I know that wouldn’t be fair on either of us.

My fingers deftly work to remove our final items of clothing, sliding her underwear over her hips and off her body, leaving us both naked in front of each other. She shivers slightly as the cold air hits her skin, and I immediately pull the blankets over us, not missing the sneaky look she throws over my body. I actually feel strangely proud that I’m the only guy that makes her go weak at the knees, the only guy that can get away with saying cheesy things, the only guy that she loves.

I capture her lips with my own, giving her one breathless kiss after the other, as her hands lightly skim over my back, my neck, my hair, leaving tingling nerves in their wake. Her touch leaves this electric fire I didn’t know existed, and it takes every fiber in my body to not just slam into her to end the anticipation.

But I know she wouldn’t like that. She’s not used to aggressive, hot sex that I’ve participated in more times than I care to count. That was just screwing, that didn’t mean anything, but when I’m with Cat, it’s slow, and gentle, and patient. I’m in no rush, and neither is she. It’s our time, where our sole focus is each other, and everything else fades into oblivion. We can just close ourselves off from the world and its expectations, and just be with each other.

Smoothing the hair back from her face, I place one final kiss on her lips before slowly pushing myself inside of her, finally connecting our bodies in one unhurried, deliberate movement. She gasps and I hold perfectly still for a moment, allowing her to catch her breath as her eyes flutter close and she grips onto my back.

“Oh God,” she mutters, the words falling from her delicate lips as I begin to slowly ease in and out of her, my hands running over her body.

The room is silent except for the soft proclamations of love rolling off the edge of our tongues, sounding so easy and natural it surprises me. She clutches the sheets with one hand as the other clings desperately onto me, soft sighs and occasional moans being whispered in the darkness as I rock my body against hers, her soft flesh welcoming me with each thrust.

Time becomes insignificant as a haze takes over both of us, indescribable waves of pleasure crashing down upon us, our synchronized bodies moving as one to reach the ultimate goal. Her breathing quickens, her words become more urgent, and I begin to move faster, deeper, doing anything I can to get her to the place I know she wants to go.

“Justin,” she whispers breathlessly. “I love you.”

I rest my forehead against hers, trying to see through the blinding flashes of colors before my eyes. “I love you too.”

Her back arches and her body presses against mine, soft cries of bliss echoing in the room as I pause for a moment, before working towards my own peak.

Suddenly, I’m taken over by an inexpressible feeling. Nothing can capture the moment of intense pleasure as I glance down to see Cat staring up at me, her eyes wide with surprise from seeing the enjoyment she inflicted. I pant her name as she runs her hands over my body, murmuring sweet words as I slowly come down from my high, with her right there with me.

My body falls limply against hers, my head resting on her chest as she lovingly strokes my hair. There are so many things I could say, so many things I could do, but I don’t need to. The simplicity of the moment, with her fingers soothingly stroking my head and my hand idly rubbing her waist, makes it seem like a rare glimpse into heaven. No frills, no big bangs, just me and Cat.

I look up at her, smiling faintly.

“What is it?” she whispers, a soft, gentle, feminine tone that would surely ruin her hard ass image.

“Do you feel beautiful now?”

She laughs, her chest heaving up and down. “Very, thank you.”

Smiling, I rest my head against her chest again, the movements of her hand in my hair slowly sending me into a sleepy daze.
Chapter 4 by Teeny
“How do these look?”

Like every other pair. “Oh yeah, great.”

“Are you sure?” Justin asks, holding the pants against his legs and eyeing the mirror thoughtfully.

I wonder if McDonalds is open yet. “Yeah, they’re fantastic. The best yet.”

“Do you really like them?” he repeats, cocking his head to look at me.

“They completely rock my world,” I mumble, flicking my wrist to check my watch. How slowly time does move whilst observing Justin try on jean, after jean, after jean…

“Are you being sarcastic?”

“If I was, would it make you pick a pair quicker?”

“No.”

“Then don’t worry yourself,” I reply, glancing around the racks of clothing. I called work this morning, sniffling with every word, claiming it was absolutely vital for me to stay at home and recuperate, otherwise ‘I don’t know what will happen’. Despite their thoughts that I was suffering from a fatal brain hemorrhage, I was in fact taking a sick day to go shopping with Justin.

He drove me all the way to Memphis just to go to this one shop, which apparently has ‘brought Memphis out of the ice age where fashion is concerned’. He sounded so much like a gay TV presenter I couldn’t stop laughing for five minutes. Of course, then he spent the rest of the drive listing all the manly things he’s done in the past twenty four hours…men.

He dragged me into some designer shop with an Italian name I can’t pronounce, which looked ridiculously out of place compared to all the small shacks that sold fishing bait and other southern goods, with it’s stark white walls and spaced out racks of clothes. I didn’t want to touch anything in case I left a finger print on it, but within minutes of entering the shop, I realized we were more than welcome.

You know that one guy in school who just seems to be good at everything? He gets good grades, he’s the star player for the football team, and he’s either dating the school’s beauty queen, or the leader of the cheerleading squad? And you sit in class, scowling at him when he comes into the room but just not having the heart to hate him, but trying your best to hate him anyway, because it’s sickening the way people bow down to him and make allowances for his stupid behavior, or look over the fact he’s about as modest as a toothpick.

Justin is that guy.

Not that I’m calling Justin stupid or conceited, and I’m not going to pretend I didn’t love the amorous attention we received the moment we entered the shop, but it really was pathetic the swooning responses of the workers. I swear I saw one of them, who was no teenager and could have in fact been thirty five years old, rush into the bathroom to wipe her eyes because she was so amazed to see him. I mean really, do I have to explain to these people that this is the guy whose idea of an in depth conversation is discussing which is better, blonde or brunettes?

He’s just a normal guy, I can’t see him as anything other than that. Alright, I’m not completely blind to the sexuality oozing off the man and can see why people like him, but it confuses me when I realize he’s the guy on their bedroom walls.

I suppose it’s because I’ve never seen “that Justin”. Before I met him, I was not a number one fan. I might listen to his song on the radio, I might smirk at some of his prepackaged answers in interviews, hell, I might even stoop to reading some interview he did in Teen People. But that was nothing more than general idleness making me find the first attractive things I laid eyes on interesting. And where we live, everyone keeps their distance and doesn’t bother him, so I’ve never been exposed to the hysterical reactions of some people. Granted the people in the shop haven’t gone hysterical, but when he said hi and put on this irritatingly wide grin, they suddenly began to trip up over their words and go red.

Why, though? He’s Justin. My Justin. Nobody other than me would find him interesting, right?

“Do you need any help, sir?” asks one of the aforementioned disgraces to the female race. Did we really fight for women’s rights and suffrage, when all we were going to do was gaze in adoration at some guy who can hit a few high notes? That girl isn’t even pretty, there is no way Justin would ever be interested in her--

Yikes Cat, put your claws away. It just…bothers me when other people find him attractive. I’m not exactly the type of person to stomp my foot and say, ‘He’s mine!’, but that assistant is staring at him with just a little too much adoration…

He glances up at her. “Oh, no thank you.” His lips part to reveal a hundred watt smile, before he turns back to the mirror to scrutinize his image again, the girl releasing a contented sigh, her life ambitions clearly fulfilled.

“And you, ma’am?” she says, turning to me, her perky attitude lessening considerably.

“No thanks,” I reply, staring at a mini skirt that would barely fit over one leg. How anorexic must the youth of America be to possibly fit into that?

“Found something you like, sweetheart?” says Justin, interrupting my thoughts as I whip around to face him.

“Oh, no, I was just thinking. Do people always act like that around you?” I ask, jerking my thumb in the direction of the giggling girls behind the counter.

He glances over at them and smiles faintly. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Don’t you find it annoying?”

“Why would I find it annoying?” he snorts, tossing the pair of jeans over his arm for trying on.

“Because they just like the way you look.”

“I know, isn’t it terrible?” he responds distractedly, a cocky grin slowly creeping over his face.

Rolling my eyes, I follow him to the changing room. “But they’re treating you like…a piece of meat!”

He shrugs. “Well, to them, I am.” He glances up and down the corridor, before slipping into a changing room. “I’m just the guy who sings and dances on TV, I’m not a real person,” he calls out from the cubicle, the curtain swaying from his movements.

“Sure, I can understand that, but they treat you like some sort of…God.”

“They look up to me,” he replies, pulling the curtain back and modeling jean style number one.

“Why?” I ask stupidly.

He rolls his eyes and turns to me, shaking his head. “I am somewhat talented, you know.”

“And not in the least bit modest,” I remark, smirking slightly as he gives me a twirl. “Those are nice.”

“I’m not modest because I don’t have to be modest. It’s part of my image to know I’m the shit,” he teases, grinning at me as I deadpan him with a look.

“But if you’re, ‘somewhat talented’, why do you worry about your image?”

He shrugs. “You have to. As much as we’d love it to be, the music business ain’t always about the music, baby.”

I laugh and trace the pattern on the jeans thoughtfully. “So you put on this entirely different act?”

“Yup,” he answers, “it’s safer that way.”

“Safer?”

“If I was just like the real Justin, can you imagine how difficult it would be for me when the media criticized me? It would be a personal stab, where they were saying something was wrong with me. But if they’re mocking, I don’t know…some stupid thing I said, then it’s easier for me to deal with, because I know that’s not the real me.” He pauses his tampering with his hair to frown. “If that makes sense.”

“Well….sort of. But everyone gets criticized, isn’t it just something you have to deal with?”

He shrugs. “The media’s harsh, Cat. They’ll love you one day, and literally rip you to pieces the next. They truly can make or break your career.”

“If you let them,” I defend, feeling pangs at the old, ‘journalists are heartless bastards’ cliché. “Artists love the attention they get, until it’s the wrong kind. When they’re getting all the attention, they bitch and moan and pull the privacy card, but when they’re not getting the attention, they worry their careers are over and try to get in the headlines again. Celebrities use the tabloids as much as the tabloids do them.”

“Oh, I know, I completely agree. And because the press is so fickle, it’s best to keep some sort of distance between them.” He quickly pulls off his t-shirt, replacing it with another one. “Then you won’t feel it when they suddenly turn against you. It hurts like a bitch when they suddenly turn their back on you.”

“You shouldn’t take it so personally.”

“I don’t, but sometimes you just can’t ignore when your name is being slandered all over the country.” He slips in and out of the cubicle, changing his clothes at an alarming rate. “Even you do it, Cat.”

“I do not!” I protest, collapsing into the chair opposite the cubicle.

“Yes, you do,” he replies, checking himself in the mirror. “I’m not saying it’s bad, but look at what you did on that article about the re-election. You didn’t leave any mistake the candidates had made untouched.”

“Well, excuse me for telling the truth,” I mutter grumpily, crossing my legs and staring into space.

“I know, you wrote it because it was the truth and that’s what people want to read. I’m just saying that I don’t like being on the tip of everybody’s tongues, so if I put forward this character, then they can say whatever they want about it, and I won’t care.”

“But that’s the media. Can’t you be like your real self in front of your…” I trail off, glancing in direction of the girls in the shop. “Admirers?”

He laughs. “Well, I am, in a way. I just know there’s a certain way they expect me to be, and I play up to that. I owe it to them.”

“That’s a bit fake,” I frown, wrinkling my nose at him.

“Cat, Cat,” he rolls his eyes and kneels in front of me. “My job is to please people, and people are pleased by the Justin that I put forward, even if it’s not the real deal.”

“What people?”

“Everyone. Management, fans, photographers, the press…everyone.”

“I would hate to be involved in that side of your life,” I mumble, propping my head up with my hand.

“Why?” he asks, reentering the cubicle and presumably trying on another pair of overpriced pants.

“The whole thing annoys me,” I shrug. “I’m sure you guys work hard, but so does a single mother with two jobs, trying to make it in the world.” I shrug again, admiring the next set of pants. “I just think the praise celebrities get goes a little too far sometimes.”

He nods. “I guess you’re right. But it’s a tough job.”

“I know,” I reply, standing up and fiddling with the buttons on his shirt. “But so is everyone else’s.”

“Why are you fussing about this now?” he asks, pausing his the movements of my hand.

I shrug. “I just never realized things were like this for you.”

“What do you mean?”

“I just never really put you in the category of celebrity, I suppose,” I reply. “It never occurred to me what will happen when you go back to work.”

“What are you worried about?”

“I don’t know,” I mumble, feeling his hands gently rest on my cheeks. “I just worry you’ll act…different.”

“How?”

“You know, you’ll always be partying, and drinking, and seeing all these beautiful girls…”

“Cat,” he begins, his eyes turning stern. “Don’t even pull that shit. What do you think I’m going to do, dump you for the first model to cross my path?”

It sounds most likely. “No.” Where’s a defiant tone when you need one?

“Yes you do,” he says, frowning still. “Cat, we’ve been over this a million times--”

“I know, I know…” I mumble, rubbing my eyes tiredly. “I just can’t imagine you back in that whole sphere again and staying the way you are.”

“I’ll still be me.” I shoot him a disbelieving look. “Okay, some things might change, but nothing dramatic. It’ll still be you and me.”

“But Justin, today was just a taster for what is bound to come!” I exclaim, gesturing around the shop. “Just seeing those girls faint over you pissed me off. How am I going to react when the press are all up in my face and you’ve got girls hanging off you?”

“So what are you saying?”

“The whole thing makes me…nervous.”

“Okay, well we’ll deal with that when the time comes,” he shrugs decisively. “Why you’re even bothering about this, I don’t know, because I have no plans to go back to work anytime soon.”

“I know you’ve been writing stuff.”

“So?” he waves his hand. “I always write. Especially when I’m in relationships.” He grins and presses me against him. “You’re my muse.”

Giggling, I swat him away. “I suppose we’ll cross that whole famous bridge when we come to it.”

“Exactly,” he says resolutely. “But don’t hold your breath. I like this extended break I’m taking.”

“I’m sure you do. You’re lazy ass hasn’t worked in a year.”

He feigns a shocked face. “Okay lady, that is it. You owe me big time.”

I shake my head and laugh. “What do I have to do?”

He raises an eyebrow and swings a few pairs of jeans over his arm. “You’ll see.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a stunned face.

It was a combination of ‘Dear God I can’t believe places like this even exist’ and ‘I’m going to kill you for bringing me three feet within this joint’. I knew she’d hate it, and part of bringing her was just so I could see her reaction. Putting Cat in a place like this is like putting a sheep in a desert. It just doesn’t add up.

But it was also to cheer her up. I know she got freaked out seeing those girls go a little wild over me at the shop. She's never really been exposed to fans, let alone the paparazzie. She was really worrying me with all that stuff about hating that part of my life and being so happy she'd avoided it. Don't get me wrong, I am too. I'm overjoyed Cat hasn't been in the papers yet, and I can only pray our good luck carries on, because I know she's incredibly fortunate not to have her face plastered across Us Weekly at least three times now.

Johnny's been getting really impatient again, constantly phoning and asking me to come in for meetings. Part of me wants to, I've been away for a year for goodness sake, but the other part would happily stay in the little cocoon Cat, Trace and I have built up around ourselves in little old Tennessee. To leave it and go out into the real, harsh world, would be very difficult.

Shaking myself from my thoughts, I turn to Cat.

“What? Don’t you like this shop?”

“Justin, this is not a shop. This is an insult to the female race,” she says, before trying to turn around and walk in the opposite direction.

“Nuh huh, girly girl,” I laugh, grabbing her arm as she threatens to run down the street, consequently ruining my fun. “Come on, it’ll be fun.”

Her eyes narrow in disbelief. “Fun? Dressing like some prostitute only with less respectability?”

I snigger, unable to hold back my amusement. “It’s not all slutty. You can get some really tasteful stuff, actually.”

“Only you would consider crotchless underwear tasteful, Justin,” she glowers as I laugh a bit more, before tugging on my arm. “Seriously, let’s go home.”

“Can’t you just come in? Just for a second?”

“No, Justin. Girls like me do no go into…” she trails off, shuddering visibly. “Agent Provocateur.”

“Hey, you say it in a weird way.”

“It’s the French pronunciation,” she replies casually, looking over her shoulder as if one of her journalist buddies might see her and rat her out.

“Do you speak French?”

“A little, can we please leave?”

“You know, French is a really sexy language.” She throws me an uninterested look before checking her watch. “It only makes sense to wear sexy underwear to match your sexy voice.”

She rolls her eyes impatiently. “Your logistic skills are amazing, now let’s go.”

“Cat, if you don’t come in with me, I’ll just go in by myself and get anything I deem appropriate.” I waggle my eyebrows as she frowns. “And you can just imagine what I consider appropriate.”

She sighs loudly, checking the street again. “Fine, lets just do this quickly,” she mumbles, grabbing my hand and pulling me across the street.

We enter the shop, the warm air hitting our skins, a refreshing alternative to the cold wind outside. Her eyes immediately dart to all the corners, taking in her surroundings cautiously. She looks so lost in a shop like this, like a teenybopper at a rock concert. Clutching my hand tighter, she approaches some racks.

“So, what did you have in mind?”

I shrug, grabbing the closest thing I can. “This is nice.”

Her eyes widen at the strategically woven pieces of cloth. “Are you kidding?”

“Come on, babe. It’s not that bad.”

“Justin, the fact you just called me babe seriously undermines your respect for me, as would wearing that…” she trails off and waves her hand in the direction of the negligee. “Thing.”

“But it’s sexy.”

“What’s wrong with my ordinary underwear?” she protests quickly, frowning in that way women do when they think you’re insulting them. “Isn’t that nice?”

“Sure it is. But my dear, I know there’s another side to you that you’re too scared to show me.”

She raises an eyebrow. “Oh I assure you there isn’t.”

“Sure there is,” I say happily, rifling through the sizes. “Remember what I said in the attic all those months ago?”

She frowns. “When you denied that the Pocahontas Sticker Book was yours?”

Rolling my eyes at her, I pull out a size. “No, when I said you were sexually repressed.”

She snorts. “Ah yes, your favorite phrase.”

“Well,” I carry on, ignoring her. “There is only one way to cure you.”

“And how is that?” she asks, fiddling with what I recognize as tassels, but I’m not entirely sure she does.

Leaning into her ear, I whisper, “Someone has to fuck you senseless.”

The reaction was spectacular. She dropped the tassel and glanced around, checking that nobody was spying on us or listening to our conversation, before turning to me, her mouth open in surprise.

“I cannot believe you just said that.”

Shrugging, I replace the negligee and try to hide the grin that is rapidly spreading across my face. “It’s true. You're too shy for your own good.”

“So?” she whispers angrily, still glancing around. “That doesn’t mean you have to say it, particularly when we are in public!”

Trying to suppress a snort, I notice the blush creeping into her cheeks. “We could always…you know…” I nod in the direction of the changing room, raising an eyebrow suggestively.

Her blush deepens. “You’re not serious, are you?”

Grasping her waist unexpectedly, I pull her towards me and pout. “You know I am, baby.”

She pulls away from me, shaking her head. “Very funny, Justin. Now let’s just find something, and leave.”

Laughing, I hand her an underwear set. “Why don’t you go try this on?”

“Because first of all, it’s a horrific color. Second of all, it has less cloth to it than a hair tie, and thirdly, I don’t wear thongs, on principle alone,” she replies, rejecting the set with one glance before returning to gazing at a mannequin in disgust.

“Why not? You do sometimes,” I defend, holding up the bra and thong again.

“Only when I must.”

“You mean you wouldn’t do it for me?” I attempt the Timberlake pout, which clearly has no effect on her. “Even for my birthday?”

“I believe the singing around and dancing naked thing is the job of a stripper,” she mutters, rolling her eyes. “I’ll get you one of those for your birthday if you want.”

“Why won’t you do it?”

“It’s not my style,” she grimaces, taking another glance at the thong. “I would look like a whale."

"No you wouldn't," I scold. "You know you look great naked."

She blushes, but quickly tries to hide it. "And plus, thongs give you yeast infections.”

“Yeast?” I wrinkle my nose in disgust. “Isn’t that the stuff in bread?”

She nods. “They put it in, but its denatured by the heat when the bread is baked,” she replies automatically, carrying on before I have the chance to tease her about sounding like a textbook. “However, for females, that is not the case, and it becomes an infection.” She wrinkles her nose. “And it’s not nice.”

I shudder visibly. I hate it when females overload the information for you. Just last week, Cat explained why tampons have little groove thingies in them, and that it all contributed to, ‘easier application’. Bleurgh.

Cat must sense this, and continues, “So think, Justin. Every time you dated a girl that wore thongs, you were going out with a slice of toast.”

“Cat, that’s enough!” I protest, a million and one thoughts, each as revolting as the next, racing through my mind.

She grins. “Still want me to buy that?”

I shake my head and put it back on the rack. “Hell no. Your little half thong thingies are just fine.”

She laughs. “Half thong thingies?”

I nod. “You know…those things.”

She giggles and kisses my head. “I know what you meant.” She wraps her arms around my neck and sighs. “Do you wanna go home now?”

I grin. “Hey, there are other things apart from thongs to buy here, my dearest.”

“What, like whips and chains?” she mutters, raising an eyebrow.

“You got it,” I wink at her, before grabbing her hand and pulling her towards another section of the shop.

I’ve made it my personal mission to leave this shop with at least one bit of sexy lingerie, and better yet, Cat’s going to feel great in it.
Chapter 5 by Teeny
“Shit…damn…motherfucker!”

The sweet words of my beloved echo through the house as I poke a head through the doorframe, spying on her with an amused smirk on my face.

She bends down and picks up the fallen pasta dish that shattered across the terracotta tiles of the floor, groaning as she sweeps up the fragments of glass.

“Cheap piece of crap…” she mutters, picking up the pieces of glass and dropping them into the trash.

She brushes her hands over her jean clad thighs, before turning back to the stove and gently stirring another boiling pan. Her movements seem oddly hypnotizing as I watch her move around the kitchen. Cutting up carrots, adding salt to the water, adjusting the temperature on the stove. Dear me, I do love this girl.

Making my presence known, I gently cough and step fully into the door, leaning against the frame.

Cat’s eyes dart up at the noise and widen when they see me. “Hi!” she exclaims, quickly wiping her hands on a towel and rushing over to me, smiling. “I thought you’d sleep in today.”

“Nah,” I shake my head, returning her grin. “I couldn’t sleep. I was so excited!”

She laughs. “You’re such a child.” Her face softens and she smiles at me. “Happy birthday,” she whispers, before her arms wrap around my neck and pull me in for a kiss, her small hands grasping at my curls slightly.

I pull away, unable to hide the beaming smile across my face. “Thank you.”

“I thought you were going to wake up and I’d have an amazing lunch prepared for you,” she says, nodding over her shoulder at the pots simmering on the stove. “It’s not ready yet.”

“I know, but it feels like Christmas. I just couldn’t stay in bed any longer,” I reply excitedly.

She shakes her head as she laughs. “So, how old are you? Twelve?”

Rolling my eyes, I give her hips a squeeze. “Twenty four, if you must know.”

“Twenty four? That’s old,” she teases, poking me in the chest.

Smiling, I suddenly pick her up and sit her on the counter, ignoring her squeals of surprise. “So, how are we going to celebrate this spectacular day on which wonderful me was born?”

She giggles and tucks her hair behind her ear. “Well, your family is coming for lunch at about two, and then everyone else is coming for the party at around nine or so.”

“Who’s been invited?” I ask, fiddling with the belt hooks on her jeans.

She holds out her hand and begins to reel off names on her fingers. “Your mom and Paul, your dad, Lisa and the boys are coming to lunch, but Paul and the kids are going to leave early, before the alcohol is cracked out,” she winks at me as I smile. “And I didn’t really know much of your superstar friends, so Trace did most of the inviting there,” she say happily, resting her hands on the edge of the coutner.

“Oh God,” I groan, resting my head on her shoulder. “Can I just forewarn you that he may have invited a large portion of the guests from the Playboy Mansion?”

She raises an eyebrow disapprovingly. “There will be no playmates in this house.”

“Why not?” I tease. “You always said you wanted a threesome.”

She rolls her eyes. “No, I always said it was curious how they fitted so many people on one bed.”

“Practically the same thing,” I murmur, before leaning in to drop a kiss on her lips. “It’s not too big, is it?”

She shakes her head. “You said you wanted low key, right?”

“Right.”

“It’s probably about fifty people, which isn’t too bad,” she shrugs. “I made Trace make a list of who’s coming, so you should ask him.”

I snort in disbelief. “Trace actually made a list?”

She nods, beaming proudly. “Yup. I have that boy wrapped around my little finger.”

“Who was on the list, then?” I ask as she hops of the counter to tend to her various concoctions in the pots.

She shrugs. “I didn’t really look, honestly. He said something weird about the boys being back in town, which I assume is some inside joke.”

Smiling, I nod and pick at the potatoes, only to have my hand slapped away. “He was either talking about one of the guys from Nsync or maybe Phareezy.”

“Phareezy? My God, what cruel parents.”

Rolling my eyes, I lean against the counter, watching her movements. “No, that’s just what I call him. I mean Pharrell.”

She continues to calmly stir some sauce. “Pharrell who?”

“Pharrell Williams,” I repeat, “He’s from NERD?”

“Nerd?” she snorts. “This guy just gets better and better.”

“He’s a producer,” I reply, reminding myself Cat has next to no interest in the music business. “He worked on my whole album. He was in Like I Love You?”

She frowns and taps the wooden spoon on the rim of the pot, before turning to me. “Wait, is he the really cute black guy? With a stupid hat?”

Smiling, I nod. “But don’t tell him you think his hat is stupid.”

“I’ll be on my best behavior,” she replies with a smile. She pauses, and begins to twist her hair, something she only does when she’s nervous. “This is the first time I’ve met any of your friends.”

I pause. That’s true. Trace and I take the odd weekend to go over to LA or something, just to touch base with the real world outside of Tennessee and to do all the things we miss, such as clubbing or getting completely trashed. Cat however, never comes, no matter how much you invite her. I don’t blame her, she would just feel uncomfortable. It would be the same as her asking me to come with her to exhibition or gallery, it just wouldn’t be right.

But I really want my friends to meet Cat. We’ve known each other for a year, we’ve dated for half of that time, and they always hear me raving about her. I think it’s about time they met her. In a strange way, I want to keep her all to myself and just stay, tucked away in Tennessee, for as long as we live. I don’t want to share her with other people. But at the same time, I can’t wait to show her off to everyone. Granted, there will be a few that will find her too, ‘ordinary’, but all the people that matter will love her, I’m sure.

“Baby,” I comfort in a soothing tone, ignoring the fact she hates the term. “You’ll have a great time. You’re exactly the type of girl they’ve been telling me to date for years.”

A smile tugs at the corners of her mouth. “Really?”

“Yeah,” I reply, tugging affectionately at a strand of her hair. “Honestly, don’t worry about it.”

She shrugs. “I guess not. They’re just people, after all.”

“Exactly. And if my mom stays for the party, she’ll have you introduced to the entire room in less than three minutes,” I joke.

She laughs. “I’m surprised your mother is still talking to me after our last meeting.”

Cat completely overreacted about that. It was the first time she was introduced to my mom as my girlfriend. They had met a few times when Cat and I weren’t seeing each other, and they got on just fine, but it was different with the whole ‘girlfriend’ title over her head. Anyway, Cat and I went to my mom’s house as ‘boyfriend and girlfriend’, and I jokingly put my hand up her skirt when we were sitting down for dinner for a bit of fun. Hell, it was no big deal. It was her thigh, for Christ’s Sake, it wasn’t like I was…well, you can guess what I’m going to say. Of course, Cat let out this really amusing yelp, and then I ended up telling my mom that it was my hand that had drawn that strange sound out of her, and then Cat wouldn’t talk to me for ages. What? I couldn’t lie to my momma!

“She appreciated the funny side of it, unlike some people,” I retort, rolling my eyes.

“Justin, thank God she’d met me before, otherwise she would have thought I was just another hoe of yours.”

“Ooh,” I tease, swatting her arm. “Getting a tad bitchy, are we?”

She shrugs. “Speaking of hoes…ex girlfriends were banned from the invite list.”

My eyes widen. “Catherine Grace Saunders! How on earth can you say a thing like that?”

She examines her fingernails nonchalantly. “Quite easily, in fact.”

“Well, I wouldn’t want them there anyway,” I say, sweeping her hair over her shoulder, exposing her neckline. “So, when do I get my present?”

She chuckles. “Not yet.”

“Is it underneath this?” I ask, prodding at her shirt as she giggles. “Don’t think I haven’t noticed you all sexy dressed this morning, Miss Saunders.”

‘Sexy’ for Cat is not necessarily what other people would call sexy. Britney would call sexy walking around completely naked, or with tiny sets of underwear leaving little to the imagination. Don’t get me wrong, it was sexy, and I enjoyed it. But I think Cat would rather die than be ostentatious like that. It was fun flirting with her in the lingerie store, we laughed so much that day, but she’s still shy about things like that.

No, Cat’s idea of sexy is very classy and teasing and completely different from my previous girlfriends, which makes a nice change. She’ll just do something small and inconspicuous, things like wearing a slightly shorter skirt or not buttoning up her shirt to the very top. Things that she knows only I will notice, so it’s like we have this little secret between us that nobody else knows about. For example, today she’s wearing a tight pair of jeans, (she doesn’t wear jeans often, they make her legs look ‘stumpy‘. Honeslty, women can be so stupid), random accessories, like that cool chunky belt and those big earrings Trace gave her for her birthday.

I don’t understand accessorizing. It seems to be a refined art that only women can do. My idea of accessorizing was the JT necklace which, contrary to Cat’s opinion, is not a ‘piece of crap’. I’ll have you know, that necklace was praised globally by my fans…

But my favorite part of her outfit is the top. That is how I know she’s doing it for me. It’s just a normal v-neck, white shirt. I don’t know what it’s made out of…chiffon? Either way, it can go a tad see-through in the right light, but this infuriates Cat and she never wears colored underwear with that top, otherwise people would see it. I think that’s a great idea, but she gave me this long ass lecture about tackiness, etc, etc…However, today, I can quite clearly see black underneath her shirt, which means she’s wearing sexy underwear, which means she wants me to see it, which means she’s trying to turn me on, which means we’re going to have sex later on…

Sorry. My brain worked a little too fast there.

She blushes. “If you don’t like it, I can take it off…”

“Hey! I didn’t say that,” I complain, sliding a hand underneath her shirt. “If anything comes off, it’ll only be because I remove it, okay?”

She giggles and pulls me in for a kiss, her hands gliding around my neck and into my hair.

“You’re so bad,” she giggles as I kiss down her neck, blowing on her skin momentarily, knowing how much it tickles her.

“Don’t you know it, baby,” I reply huskily, before I begin laugh.

“Would you guys just STOP HAVING SEX!” A distant voice cries from the games room as Cat swiftly pushes me away, laughing.

“You’re just jealous, my little friend!” I call back, before soft footsteps approach the kitchen.

“Don’t think just ‘cause it’s your birthday, I’m gonna be nice to you,” Trace says, before breaking into a grin. “Happy birthday, man.”

“Thanks,” I reply, giving him a quick pat on the back.

Trace walks behind Cat and peeks over her shoulder to see watch she’s cooking. Normally, close contact with members of the male sex and Cat really bothers me, in fact I almost slapped the guy who looked right down her top the other day, but I know with her and Trace it’s purely platonic. And before you start, I know I’m too possessive of Cat, and she can do what she wants, it’s just…damn, I want her all to myself.

“What you cookin’, good-looking’?”

“Chicken,” she replies. “Which is probably burnt, by the way. Thanks to birthday boy over there,” she sends me a stern look, before winking at me.

“I could hear everything,” mutters Trace in a disgusted tone, shaking his head in revolt. “I’ll remove that for you, baby…” he mocks, before I clamp a hand over his mouth, knowing how horribly embarrassed Cat gets when people tease her about sex.

“That’s enough, little dude. So, who you invited to this birthday bash of mine?” I ask, trying again to snatch a tiny bit of the food, but Cat’s quick hand once again gives me a slap.

Trace pauses, mentally going over a list in his head. “Everyone from around here, a few LA-dwellers, Chris and Lance are gonna stop by--”

“Did you hear that, sweetheart? Chris and Lance are going to come. They’re in Nsync.”

“Really?” she says over her shoulder. “Hey, isn’t Chris my favorite one?”

Snorting, I nod. “Yes, he was the one with the monochrome braids.”

“Oh yay!” she jokes, kissing me on the cheek as she scoops some chicken onto a plate. “Which one is Lance?”

“The blonde one,” answers Trace, stealing a carrot when Cat had her back turned. “He’s got really green eyes.”

“Oh yeah. He’s handsome.”

“We all are,” I interject, earning myself a gentle slap on the head. “Anyone else?”

“Chris said she would try and make it. She’s doing some charity stuff in Louisiana, so she’ll be in the south.”

“Who’s Chris?”

“Christina,” I answer, stretching my arms above me head.

“Christina who?” asks Cat, once again. People at the party will have a great time if Cat repeatedly says “who?” after each introduction.

“Aguilera,” I mumble distractedly.

Cat’s eyes widen. “Seriously? Christina Aguilera?”

Trace nods and hops up onto the wooden island in the kitchen. “Yeah. Her and J did a tour together.”

“I know, I--” she stops abruptly, blushing as she quickly turns back to her cooking.

“What?” I prod.

“I went to one of your shows,” she mumbles so quietly I have to lean forward to catch it.

“Really?” I exclaim happily. “When?”

“Or more importantly, why?” says Trace, sneering at her.

She laughs. “I had to go with my little sister for her fifteenth birthday. I assure you, it wasn’t voluntary.”

“Were we good?”

She shrugs. “You were okay.”

Rolling my eyes, I quickly pat her ass, ignoring the ice cold glare I receive. “It’s my birthday, you should be complimenting me.”

She snorts. “Fine, it was the most thrilling experience of my life. It took every piece of willpower I had not to jump on that stage and kiss you. I was captivated by your performance. In fact, I couldn’t contain my excitement for weeks afterwards,” she says in a dead tone, rolling her eyes with each word.

Laughing, her and Trace share a high five as I pout grumpily in the corner. “You guys always gang up on me.”

“Sorry, birthday boy,” she says, dropping a quick kiss on my temple. “Anyway, you’re family is going to be here soon, you’d better get dressed,” Cat reminds me, casting an eye over my boxers and wife beater.

“Okay.”

“And remember to give your mom a call back.”

“Sure.”

“Could you just open this jar of sauce open for me?”

“No problem.”

I hand the jar back to her and set the lid on the counter. “Go on, now. Go get dressed.”

“Okay,” I quickly plant a kiss on her cheek before bounding upstairs to get dressed.

I have to stop complying to this girl’s every word. People may start to think she’s got me whipped.

But the harsh cracking noises from Trace as I leave the room assure me that people already consider me whipped.

-------------------------------------------------------

“Cat darlin’, could you pass me up some of that chicken please?” says Lynn, touching my arm and waking me from my Justin-trance.

“Oh, sure,” I reply, reaching over to grab the chicken from Trace’s side of the table and handing it to her.

“Thanks, doll,” she beams warmly at me, before scooping chicken onto her plate.

Lynn and I met months ago, a little while after I had moved in with Justin and we were on a strictly friends basis. We got on really well back then, but I did notice a change in attitude towards me when Justin and I started dating. Justin explained his mother was very protective, and hated seeing him make one mistake after the other, so she was naturally quite cold with her son’s romantic interests.

All I could think was well great, fantastic. His mother hates me for the sole reason that I’m seeing him, imagine how much she would despise me if she actually got to know me. I didn’t avoid Lynn, but I didn’t go out of my way to buddy up with her. We could chat for a few minutes over the phone, but I always sensed the, ‘Hurt my son and I’ll hurt you’ theme she had going on.

Of course, Justin got on with my family like a house on fire. They practically christened him Saint Justin after their first meeting. In a rare moment of sisterhood a few months ago, I called my sibling Sophie to complain about an argument Justin and I had had. The first thing out of her mouth was, What did you do? Not to mention his shameless flirting with my mother, who spent their entire first meeting blushing.

How can he do that? How can he make people like him instantly? I would really like to know, because then I could take a leaf out of his book and use it tonight. At the party. With all the strangers. All the skinny strangers.

To be honest, I’m dreading it. Trace pretty much organized it, he dealt with the guest list, the obscene amount of alcohol, the moving of the furniture so people could stand around. He was so excited just organizing things, I can’t wait to see how he acts tonight. Part of me is worried that him and Justin will get a little too caught up in the alcohol and all the beautiful people that will fill the house, but I don’t mind. It is Justin’s birthday, and he deserves to let loose.

If that involves me standing in the corner feeling uncomfortable, then so be it.

I shouldn’t be worried, should I? It’s just a party, I’m sure Justin’s friends will like me. It’s not even that big of a party, and if worst comes to worst I can just hide in the closet. No, Justin wouldn’t let me do that. He’s really excited about all of his friends meeting me, which poses the question…why on earth is he pleased about that? It’s the first time anyone out of our little southern mold has met me, let alone Justin and I as a ‘couple’.

But I don’t function at parties. I have a tendency to retreat to some reclusive spot and play with my cup until I drive home and reflect on what a waste of time it was. I rarely dance, after an unfortunate incident including a rather dramatic fall thanks to my bastard shoes in front of the entire room. I’m not a huge drinker, but when I do get drunk I tend to begin a cycle of equally unfunny impressions, and at the end of the night find my friends pretending they don’t know me. Not to mention the fact I have no idea what to wear. All of the girls will be wearing tiny skirts and halter necks and stilettos--

“Catsy!” A piercing, childlike voice slices through my thoughts, my head snapping in the direction of the sound.

“Yes?” I reply, smiling instinctively at Steven.

The young, sandy-haired boy tapped his fork on the table impatiently. “I’ve been saying your name for ages!”

“Sorry little man, got lost in my thoughts there,” I reply.

“Can Jonathan and me come to the party?” he asks with an endearing lisp, product of the missing row of teeth on his bottom gum.

Smiling, I take a sip of water. “You’ll have to ask your mommy that.”

“Steven, you can’t,” Lisa says, shaking her head at him. “It’ll be full of big people.”

“I am big!” he protests, once again slapping his fork on the table. “I’m six and three quarters.”

Stifling my laugh, I pat his arm reassuringly. “It’ll be really boring. You’re not missing anything.”

“But I want to sleep over!” Steven proclaims, his bottom lip jutting out.

“Why don’t you come over another night?” I suggest.

A shy smile breaks across his face. “Can I?”

“Sure,” I reply, “Just ask your mom.”

“Do you sleep over all the time?”

I nod and cut a piece of chicken in half. “Yup.”

“Where do you sleep?”

Feeling the blush inch across my cheeks, I keep my head bent down, enthralled in my food. “Um…Justin’s room,” I mumble quietly.

Not quietly enough. Lynn’s head turns to look at me, amusement written all over her face as I slowly prepare myself for embarrassment. More of it, that is.

“In Justin’s bed?” continues Steven innocently, his wide eyes staring at me sincerely.

The men of the table, that’s Randy, Paul, Justin and Trace, stop their conversation on last Friday’s game to turn to look at me, with my bowed head and inflamed cheeks.

“Um…sometimes…” I mutter, the steady movements of my knife and fork infatuating me. I don’t imagine the smirk on Justin’s face would be quite so broad if these questions were directed at him.

“Why?” he asks.

Why? “Um…” I begin, ready to fabricate an entire story about there not being enough blankets for everyone.

“Yeah Cat, why do you sleep in my bed?” says Justin, putting down his fork to look at me, biting down on his lip to stop himself laughing.

Oh you asshole. “I don’t know. Why do you invite me?” I retort. Ha ha, bet he wasn’t expecting that.

Trace’s cough is vaguely reminiscent of ‘to get some ass’, but I ignore him and concentrate very hard on cutting a potato into four pieces. Perhaps if I keep my head down, I’ll magically forget that all eyes are on me and that the expression, ‘beet red’, was invented for people like me.

“Can I come to the party?” interrupts Jonathan.

At that moment, I loved that kid. “You guys wouldn’t like it,” I repeat, silently thanking God for children as people return to their own conversations.

“Sure we would. Trace’s parties always have naked chicks in them, and I like naked chicks so…” he trails off and grins, bearing such a stunning resemblance to Justin I can’t help but smile.

“Oh really?”

“Yeah. Once, him and Justin got this girl to come to our house, and she had this whip thing, and--”

“Jonathan!” Justin sharply interrupts him. “What are you blabbing about?”

“The time you and Trace watched that girl dance when she was wearing those cowboy boots.”

I raise an eyebrow and turn my head to Justin. “Corrupting young minds a habit of yours, Justin?”

“I think you know it is,” he flirts, kicking my leg under the table.

Rolling my eyes at him, I turn back to Jonathan, who seems a little worldly wise for an eleven year old. “Anything else I need to know about, Jon? What else have Justin and Trace done?”

He takes a breath. “Well--”

“Jon, you gotta learn that whenever a woman asks you a question, you just say I don’t know.”

“Don’t worry, we’ll talk later,” I wink at him, before laughing.

-------------------------------------------------------

“This one, or this one?” he asks, holding up two identical shirts over his torso.

I shrug. “Either.”

He rolls his eyes. “Cat, that is not cool. This is the first time I’m seeing this people in months. I need to look good.”

“You do look good.”

“Yeah, but I need to look really good,” he says, pulling a shirt over his head.

Ah, I see Justin is regressing to ‘Asshole Land’ again. The best way to deal with him when he’s like this is to just not listen to him, and nod in agreement of everything he says.

“Do you think I should leave these buttons unbuttoned?” he says, turning to me and pointing to the top three buttons of his shirt.

I nod.

“So this shirt is better than that one?”

I nod.

“Okay, what about jewelry? Both earrings or just one?”

I nod.

“Cat!”

“What?”

“Are you even listening to me?”

The temptation to nod just to piss him off grows, but it is his birthday, so I choose not to. “Yes. I just don’t know why you’re so worried. I should be the one who’s nervous. They’re going to be judging me.”

“No they won’t,” he replies, placing a loose tie around his neck before shaking his head and taking it off.

“Justin, you know they will,” I mumble quietly, running a finger over the comforter. “The first thing they’ll think is what the hell are you doing with some chubby farm girl from Ohio?”

“What?” he says, turning to me and frowning deeply.

“I’m just being honest, Justin. They’ll ask you why you’re dating someone who ever so slightly exceeds the phrase, ‘junk in the trunk’.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

Sitting up, I toss my hair over my shoulder, the consuming feeling of depression beginning to fill my body. “I just know they’re going to judge me.”

“Cat, these are my friends, and you haven’t even met them yet. You’re the one casting judgments at the moment.”

“I’m not casting judgments, I just being realistic,” I snap, getting off the bed and walking towards the mirror, frowning at my appearance. “They would judge me anyway, but my case isn’t exactly helped by the fact I don’t throw up after every meal.”

“Cat, are you trying to start an argument with me? Because you’re sure as hell doing a good job!” Justin says, scowling at me with his hands on his hips.

Sighing, I run a hand through my hair. “I’m sorry.”

“How many times do we have to fucking go through this Cat? It’s ridiculous.”

“I know,” I murmur, bringing one hand up to rub my temple. “It’s just…I know that people outside of Tennessee won’t be as accepting as everyone else has been. I’m just nervous.”

“Don’t be,” he says simply, approaching me slowly and rubbing my waist. “I know you’re not used to situations like this, but you’re making things worse for yourself.”

“I’m just so confused,” I mutter, hearing my voice crack with emotion. “On one hand, I know I shouldn’t care what they think, but on the other I really want them to like me, but I know how impossibly high their standards must be and…ugh, it’s just so annoying…” I shake my head, feeling his arms wrap around me in a comforting hug.

“You worry too much about what other people think, and this isn’t the first time I’ve had to tell you that,” he says softly, gently stroking my hair with his hand.

“I know,” I reply, my face buried in the depths of his shirt. “I guess this is a downside to being Justin Timberlake’s girlfriend.”

“What is?”

“Always having to worry about what people might be saying or thinking. I mean, what if your friends tell you straight out I’m not good enough for you?”

“They wouldn’t do that, and if they did, I’d kick their ass.”

Laughing, I pull away from him, rubbing my eyes. “Oh God, I’m sorry. I’m ruining your birthday with my stupidity.”

“You can always make it up to me by wearing that little lace dress thingy.”

“Justin, that’s not a dress, it’s a napkin.”

“But an attractive napkin,” he says, grinning as he pulls it out of my closet without consent, and throwing it on the bed.

Trying my hardest to sigh disapprovingly, I pick up the dress and head to the bathroom to start an intensive hair and make up session.

Tonight, I have to be perfect.

-------------------------------------------------------

In real life, Christina Aguilera really isn’t as intimidating as I thought she’d be. She’s kind of small, and she lost all the weight she gained at one point, so she’s back to being a toothpick. She’s also a lot nicer than I’d thought she’d be. Justin introduced us, she shook my hand and shot me a quick smile, and we had a little conversation about how stupid Justin could be. It’s strange how much women can bond over their joint despair in the actions of men.

But then she floated away to mingle, and I was left all on my own looking awkward, until Trace saved me by introducing me to Bobby Ryesdale, Justin’s…choreographer? Hair stylist? Names are lost on me, let alone occupations. Fifty people turned out to be a bigger number than I expected. There seem to be hundreds of faces, bodies, drinks, smoke…all crammed into one space.

I haven’t seen Justin in about fifteen minutes, when he went to meet that Pharrell person and said he’d be, ‘back in a sec’. But I don’t mind. He’s having the time of his life, reuniting with people he hasn’t seen in a long time, drinking some strange concoction of vodka and lime, bobbing his head to the music. He owns the room with his confidence and nonchalant manner. He looks gorgeous, of course, with his hair just beginning to curl, the little beaded necklaces he refuses to part with, his shirt sleeves rolled up to just the right point to look cool. He looks every part the celebrity.

I shouldn’t be here.

“Cat, there you are!” the aforementioned sex God says, grasping my hand and pulling me through a gaggle of people to a corner. “I want you to meet Chris and Lance. Guys, this is Cat, my girlfriend.”

I won’t deny the rush of esteem I felt when he said ‘girlfriend’ so proudly, and I grin as I hold out my hand. “Hey, how are ya?”

“Nice to meet you,” they chorus. If they felt any surprise at seeing little old chubby me, they hid it very well.

“We should have met you ages ago,” comments Chris, his black haired head nodding thoughtfully. “Normally we have to approve Justin’s girlfriends after the first three months.”

Laughing, I shrug. “I guess he’s kept me all to himself.”

“I certainly have,” he says, smiling warmly at me as his hands slide protectively over my hips. “So, you guys finally decided to lower the standard and come out to ole Tennessee, right?”

“Just for your special day, Justin,” Lance mutters, shaking his head jokingly. “You know I can’t be this close to the South. Brings back that good old accent of mine.”

Chuckling, I examine them. Lance is very handsome. His dark blonde hair is styled to immaculate perfection, his green eyes literally sparkle at me, his broad shoulders are covered by a loose shirt. I was going to comment that he resembled a blonde version of Sean, but it’s not very nice to do that to Justin on his birthday.

Looking at Chris, I can’t help but wonder whether he really is this big funny guy, or whether that’s just the decision of some record label exec when they put personalities to Justin’s band. I’m assuming the former, with his spiky black hair and the dark red leather jacket hugging his short frame, he looks every part the fun-loving guy.

“Are you guys enjoying the party?”

“Yes, thank you,” replies Lance, shooting a glance at the buzzing crowd. “You and Trace did a good job organizing it.”

“Oh, thank you. It was all Trace, really. You know, with all his, ‘connections’,” I say sarcastically, causing them to laugh, much to my excitement.

“Whereabouts are you from, Cat?” asks Chris, taking a sip of his drink from the red straw. “You don’t have the adorable southern twang these two hicks do,” he says, motioning to an outraged Justin and Lance.

“Ohio,” I smile, before realizing just how uncool that sounded.

“Me too. Well, somewhere near there.”

The blush that was threatening to rise to my cheeks gradually creeps back down, for which I’m grateful. “And you, Lance? You’re from Tennessee?”

“Mississippi,” he replies, smiling. “But they’re all the same, right?”

Laughing, I shrug, before feeling a tug on my arm. “Yes?” I turn around to the culprit.

“Cat, I wanted to know exactly how much vodka we ordered,” Trace asks, his face torn between amusement and worry.

“I don’t know…why?”

“I think Lynn just drank half of it.”

“Oh no,” says Justin, dropping his head to his hands. “Trace, don’t you know what happens when my mother gets drunk?”

He grins. “Oh yeah. That’s one lap dance I’ll never forget.”

Shuddering, I turn to Justin. “I’ll go sort it out.”

“No, I’ll do--”

“It’s okay, I got it,” I reply, putting a hand on his chest to stop him from moving. “It was nice meeting you both,” I say, turning to Chris and Lance.

“You too,” the reply in unison, and for one second I consider teasing them for their automatic harmony, before deciding against it.

Dropping a quick kiss on Justin’s cheek, I shoot Chris and Lance the mandatory smile, before turning away.

That wasn’t too bad.

-------------------------------------

Watching Cat’s retreating back, I look at Chris and Lance from the corner of my eye. “So, come on guys, the honest truth.”

“I like her,” pipes Chris, putting a hand into the pocket of his jacket. “She seems to have her head in the right place.”

“She didn’t know anything about us, which I guess was cool,” says Lance, laughing.

Nodding, I turn back to them, unable to suppress my smile. “I’m glad you like her.”

“I think you like her more,” teases Lance, poking me in the ribs.

I shrug and take a drink. “What can I say, man? We’re great.”

“She’s not the type of girl you usually go for.”

Feeling myself bristle slightly, I look at Lance sternly. “Which is why I like her.”

“Justin,” begins Chris cautiously, staring at the floor momentarily. “Just…be careful with that one, okay?”

“What do you mean?”

“When you guys go back to the real world, just be prepared for what might happen.“

My face remains blank, so Chris continues. “The press will chew her up if you’re not careful.”

“I won’t let them,” I say defiantly.

“You can’t stop the media,” Lance points out. “It’s just something to keep in mind when you go back to work, that’s all.”

“What, you guys don’t think we can deal with the pressure?” I ask, shoving a hand into my pocket so they won’t notice my clenched fist.

“It’s not that…” says Lance hesitantly. “It’s just…as we said, she’s not what you’d expect, so you’re going to have to watch out for that.”

“Okay…” I mumble, hating them for bringing that up. I’m fully aware of how difficult things are going to be when I’m back in the spotlight. No matter how beautiful I think she is, to the media, she’ll get tagged girl next door in a second. And not in a nice way.

“But don’t worry about it now,” says Chris, slapping a hand on my shoulder cheerfully. “It’s just something we thought we’d mention. You’ve not got a secret album up your sleeve, do you?”

Shifting uncomfortably in my shoes, I stare at the floor.

“The problem is, guys…there’s going to be.”
Chapter 6 by Teeny
“That was a success,” says Cat happily, collapsing onto the bed and stretching amongst the pillows.

“It was,” I reply, lying down next to her, throwing an arm over her stomach.

“We can clean up tomorrow,” she laughs, referring to the mountains of cups, bottles, and oddly enough, discarded clothes scattered throughout the house, courtesy of our departed guests.

Laughing, I pull her towards me, her head coming to rest on my chest. “I don’t even want to think about it.”

“So,” she begins, sitting up to kneel on the bed, with a smile on her face. “Did you have a good time?”

“Yes,” I reply, reaching out to toy with a curl. “Thank you for doing that for me, baby.”

She shrugs coyly. “It’s no problem. Happy birthday,” she repeats for what must be the fifth time today, bending down to kiss me.

“Thank you.” Running my hands up her legs a few times, I grin. “So, what did my mom do?”

Cat shakes her head and laughs. “God, you don’t even wanna know.”

Groaning, I pull her on top of me, carefully placing one leg on each side of my torso, so that she straddles me. And of course I’m not trying to put sex into her mind. “Did it involve Trace?”

Unable to control her giggles, she nods. “I think he enjoyed it, actually.”

“Enjoyed what?”

“Well, I went into the living room to see your mother dancing a little…provocatively.”

“Oh no…”

“I’ve never seen anyone grind with so much passion!” she says, laughing as her eyes twinkle. “As soon as she saw Trace, she literally grabbed him and continued to do a rather magnificent display of pelvic thrusts.”

“Oh, good God,” I mumble, covering my face with her hands.

“The poor guy looked horrified.”

“I can imagine,” I groan, a rather disturbing image of my mother grinding into Trace feverishly entering my mind. “Did she do anything else?”

Cat nods. “Well, Chris came in to see what all the commotion was about, and when I told him your mom was getting freaky with Trace, he shouted, ‘Hey, I want a piece of that’, and kindly took over the position as a pole for your mother. In fact, Chris was quite a lively dance partner for her.”

“Oh Jesus.”

“I blame him for encouraging her. He started shouting something about her ass and how they could make great kids together, and then started spanking her.”

“That’s my mother,” I protest, scrunching my face in disgust. “How perverted is Chris?”

“Very, apparently,” she snorts, shaking her head at the memory. “I know Trace is thankful. He was almost shaking when Chris took over.”

“How long did this splendid peep show last for?”

“When she saw me, she stopped,” she comforts, running a hand through my hair. “I tried to slyly drag her away from the bar, but she seemed pretty attached to those vodka shots. We had an interesting conversation, actually.”

“What did she say?”

“That we should get married,” Cat giggles, lazily dragging her fingernail over the skin exposed by my shirt. “And apparently, your last girlfriend was a bulimic bitch who couldn’t keep her food down for two seconds. She said she liked me a lot better, and that she was happy you were dating a ‘real woman’ for a change. Then she started telling me I had fantastic breasts.”

“Why was I born to such a crazy drunk?”

Cat shrugs. “I found it quite amusing. Trace, however, did not.”

“Well, I’d be pretty scarred for life if his mom started rubbing her ass into my leg.”

“You know, it was more his crotch,” she says decidedly, laughing when I groan from revulsion. “But at least we know she likes me. And Trace, apparently. She likes Trace a whole lot.”

Shuddering for a final time, I pat her thigh. “So, apart from my mother’s clear ambition to be a stripper, how did you find the party?”

“It was better than I thought it would be,” she answers, the sincerity in her eyes assuring me she’s being honest. “There were a few assholes, but apart from that, it was fine.”

“Who was an asshole?”

“I can’t remember her name…” she trails off in thought, chewing her lip. “She was really pretty. She came up to me just after you left to talk to that choreographer guy.”

“What did she look like?”

Cat rolls her eyes. “A beauty queen. Perfect skin, silky black hair, she was wearing this white tank top…”

“Was she a complete bitch?”

“Yes,” she replies decisively.

“Oh, that was probably Sara. She must have gotten an invite through a friend, because there’s no way Trace would have wanted her here. What did she do?”

“Look at me like I was a piece of gum on her shoe,” Cat mutters, looking down at her twisting hands.

“Are you okay?” I ask, anger pouring through me as hurt flashes in Cat’s eyes.

“Yeah,” she mumbles. “She just made me feel really…small.”

“Hey,” I say, sitting up to hold Cat’s face in my hands. “Don’t let people like that get you down, they’re not important.”

“I know.”

“And you’re ten times better than her.”

She smiles. “Really?”

“I love you,” I whisper in answer, getting the small, shy smile I love to see from Cat.

“I love you too.”

“Don’t worry about Sara, she was probably just jealous.” Snaking my arms around her waist, I pull her body over me a bit. “We had a brief relationship, and she always wanted to take it further, but I never did.”

Cat raises an eyebrow. “How brief?”

Blushing, I look down. “A night…”

“Well, I hate that stupid whore, but I still disapprove,” she says, wrapping her arms around my neck.

“You’ve got better boobs than her, you know. Oh, wait, my mom already pointed that out.”

She beams. “She meant well. You know, I’d say I was at least a cup size bigger than her.”

Smiling, I drag my fingers over her thighs. “You looked great tonight.”

“Thank you,” she grins, shuffling slightly, knowing just how close she is to my crotch.

“And now you’re teasing me.”

“I am not!” she protests in a girly way which clearly says, ‘you know it’. I know she’s only acting like this because of the substantial amount of alcohol coursing through her veins, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to take advantage of it.

“So,” I begin, a smirk creeping its way onto my face as my hands inch up her dress. “What is underneath this?”

She giggles. “Well, part of your birthday present.”

“Just part of it?”

She nods. “The other part is tickets to this football game, but Trace will fill you in on that.”

“Thank you,” I cut in.

“Somehow though, I think you’re going to like this one better,” her mischievous grin assures me I will.

“Oh really? And why is that?”

“Because if you didn’t, I’m afraid I’d have to assume you were gay,” she states simply, leaning over and dimming the lights.

“You make far too many references to me being gay, did you know that?”

“You give me far to many reason to make those references, Justin,” she replies haughtily, unbuttoning my shirt. “I saw that lip gloss you put on. What was that all about?”

“It was not lip gloss, it was lip balm,” I stress, throwing my shirt to the side and sitting up to shower her neck with kisses. “I had chapped lips.”

“Whatever, Justin,” she murmurs distractedly, her hand pushing my lips against her more urgently. “We have a twisted sense of foreplay, do you know that?”

Laughing, I switch our positions, so I can hover over her on all fours and bend down to kiss her. “I know. Normal people whisper how much they love each other, we doubt each other’s sexuality.”

“But we’re not normal,” she adds, grinning.

“Nope,” I laugh, reaching behind her to unzip the back of her dress, the crackly noise of the zipper silencing us both.

“It’s nothing special,” she begins to ramble, as I gently ease the silky black dress off her body. “It’s just a souvenir from my one and only trip to Agent Provocateur.”

Smiling, I kiss her forehead and take in the sight of black lace and red ribbon. It’s nothing too crazy, but it’s not Cat’s usual, so I know she made a special effort for me. “You look great.”

She grin, bending her head shyly. “Thank you. Oh, and before I forget,” she reaches across to her bedside drawer and pulls out a wrapped package. “These are for you. Trace recommended them.”

Kneeling up, I rip of the paper with a raised eyebrow, before letting out a peal of laughter. “Handcuffs?”

She grins and sits up, shrugging. “I thought it was the kind of thing that would appeal to your dirty nature.”

“You were right,” I chuckle, turning over the handcuffs in my hands.

She laughs and lays back down, before frowning at my sly expression. “What’s wrong? It was just a joke.”

I grin at her.

“We’re not actually going to use those, are we?” comes her shocked voice, her eyes flying between my face and handcuffs in my hand.

Raising an eyebrow suggestively, I lean down to kiss her. “Aren’t we?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a joke, alright? A funny, ha ha, that was a good one, joke. If I wanted to use handcuffs when I had sex, I’d be dating a policeman. I was so shocked, I didn’t even realize Justin fiddling with the lock until it was too late and I was attached to the headrest. Alcohol clearly slows down my reactions. And my morals.

Eventually, the handcuff idea was abandoned because we were laughing too much. Such a shame, really. We just had normal, old fashioned, boring, mind-blowing, earth-quaking sex.

Tying the terrycloth robe around my waist, I gently tug on the drawstrings at the window, opening the blinds. I didn’t drink too much last night, but I think every beverage supplied was 50% pure alcohol, so the slight pounding in my head doesn’t surprise me.

“Close it,” comes a muffled cry amongst the pillows.

Smiling, I turn to see Justin entwined in the sheets, one hand shielding his face from the sunlight. “It’s time to get up, deary. It’s already twelve.”

“So?!” he protests, rolling over, putting his back to me. “Trace won’t be up ‘til three, at least.”

Laughing I crawl on the bed, ready to tickle him if needs be. “Justin, come on, get up.”

“No.”

“But I’m on my own,” I complain, frowning grumpily, slapping my fist on the sheets.

“Go check the backyard, maybe someone passed out on the golf course.”

“Justin!” I moan again, tugging at the sheets slightly. He makes no effort to budge, so I raise an eyebrow triumphantly. There’s no way he’ll turn down this.

“If you don’t get up and keep me company right now, there will be no sex in this bed for three months.”

The yanking of the reclamation of the sheets stops and silence greets me, before it is broken by a whiny, “That is so unfair!”

Grinning, I get off the bed as he begrudgingly rolls of it, throwing on a t-shirt over his boxers.

“You’d better make me coffee, woman,” he mumbles, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“Come on, let’s go,” I say brightly, taking his hand and pulling him downstairs. I wouldn’t normally be so happy in the mornings, but knowing how annoying this must be to Justin cheers me up somewhat.

He collapses at the table, running a hand through his disheveled hair. “How come you’re in such a good mood?”

I shrug. “I might still be a bit drunk.”

“Well, I can’t wait until you deal with the hangover from your drunkity,” he mutters, rubbing his head painfully.

“Drunkity isn’t a word,” I kindly point out, receiving a thunderous glare in return.

Relenting slightly, I slide two Advil and a glass of water across the table to him. “Thanks,” he mumbles, quickly swallowing them as I stand up at the shrill piercing of the phone.

“Hello?” I answer.

“Hi, can I speak to the Trousersnake please?”

Jesus, prank calls, they just never stop, do they? Do thirteen year olds seriously find this funny? Because I don’t.

“I’m sorry, there’s no Trousersnake here,” I reply, rolling my eyes. “But there is a Ben Dover, if you’re interested.”

The person at the other end of the line laughs as Justin gives me a concerned look. “It’s some guy asking for a Trousersnake,” I tell him, pressing the phone against my shoulder.

Justin grins. “That’s probably for me, then.”

“Why did he call you Trousersnake?” I reprimand. “This really returns to that gay thing, Justin.”

“Everybody calls me Trousersnake. And I think you know why,” he winks at me.

Casting an eye downwards, I shrug. “I can’t think of any reasons.”

The easiest way to insult a man is to go for his penis size. Justin knows he’s perfectly fine in that department, but he still has an appalled, offended expression, as though I just said I thought his mother was a hooker. Honestly, men really need to calm down.

“I’m just kidding,” I whisper comfortingly, so our guest on the phone doesn’t hear us. “You’ve got an enormous penis.”

He quickly wipes off his stunned face, and replaces it with a self-satisfied smirk. “I thought so.”

Rolling my eyes at him, I hold out the telephone, surprised the person on the other end hasn’t hung up. “But I’ve seen bigger.”

Trying to stifle his laugh, he rises from the table to snatch the phone off me with a mock scowl. “Hello?”

I try not to listen to his conversation, but my attempt fails and I sit at the kitchen table, fiddling with a napkin.

Justin sighs in annoyance. “Yeah, I know. They’ve been getting on my back too.”

Who’s been getting on his back? About what?

“I guess they’re right, it has been a year after all,” he says in defeat.

A year since what?

“No man, I’m not worried. Is it just a meeting they want?”

“Cool, I can do that. But tell them I’m not making any promises.” His eyes fly to me. “There’s other people I need to discuss it with.”

Knots begin to tie themselves in my stomach as Justin turns away from me, suddenly engrossed in the cream wall.

“It’s not that, it’s whether I want to.”

“Well, I guess I do, sort of.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“Okay, cool. I’ll be there at ten. Later, dawg.”

He hangs up the phone and turns to me, his hands twisting guiltily together. “Um…I need to talk to you.”

My heart fills with dread. I don’t know what he’s talking about, but I can imagine. He probably hooked up with some old flame last night when I was watching Lynn’s spectacular show, and now it’s over for us. I hate him.

“Yeah, it sounds like you do,” I whisper.

-----------------------------------------------------

I know it makes me look even guiltier when I wring my hands together like this, but for some reason, I just can’t stop doing it. I haven’t even done anything wrong, but I’m still nervous.

Maybe it’s the somber expression that suddenly replaced the happy one on Cat’s face. Maybe it’s the way she didn’t even correct me for saying, ‘dawg’, on the telephone. Maybe it’s just me getting nervous about the meeting tomorrow already.

It’s nothing, really. I just have to go into Memphis tomorrow for a meeting with these big cheese execs, who will pound me to release another album, and I’ll just shrug politely and say I’ll think about it. Come on, I’ve been doing it for the last year, I can do it again.

Only, how effective is it going to be, again? My repeat performance must be getting old, and I can’t spin them the line that I’ll do occasional appearances and shit, because I know its gotten to a point where that isn’t enough. I really should go back to the studio, hell, part of me even wants to. After everything I’ve felt with Cat, I’ve got half an album’s worth of songs already, and I know they could do really well.

But then there’s still that part that’s dragging me down and saying, “Why do you want to go back? You know how crazy things will just get again. And, more importantly, you know Cat won’t like it.”

I’m sure she’d be supportive, I don’t think she’d give me an ultimatum of her or my career, but it would mean big changes for us. We wouldn’t be able to stay in Tennessee, I would have to start saying I was single, Cat would have to give up her job…would she really do that for me?

“Listen, baby…” I begin, before the realization that she hasn’t butted in to say, ‘Baby? Do I look like the type of girl who gets called baby?’ dawns on me. Have I done this to her? Have I made her softer? That would normally make me jump up and down, because yes, I’ve cracked Cat! But now…it worries me. She’s more in touch with her emotions than she was, and I have no doubt the press would pick up on that. What if she couldn’t deal with the cameras, the reporters, her life splashed across the headlines? What if she told me to go find someone else and I was on my own?

“Cat,” I start again, shaking my head free of the rapid train of thoughts as I sit down opposite her. “That was Chad.”

“Chad who?” she interrupts, causing a slight smile to appear on my face.

“He’s Pharrell’s partner in producing,” I explain.

She nods, her eyes filled with fear. “And…” she urges me to continue.

I take a breath. “Um…yes, well, he called to say…”

“To say what, Justin?” she snaps impatiently.

“Tomorrow, I have to go to a meeting to discuss…potentially doing another album,” I spit out, wild hand gestures accompanying my words. “The record label have been hammering on about it for months now, but I really think this time they mean it. I need to go into the meeting to see whether I can hold them off for a little longer, or whether I just have to do it.”

“Are you breaking up with me?” she accuses, folding her arms over her chest.

My eyes widen with surprise. “No! Hell no! Are you breaking up with me?”

“Of course not, I was just expecting you to say you’d gotten someone pregnant or something,” she waves off as we laugh, easing some of the tension in the room.

“Do you want to do another album?” she asks seriously, tilting her head to the side thoughtfully.

I pause. “I…I think it would be best. I’ve been away for far too long.”

“Okay,” she says slowly, nodding. “If that’s what you want.”

“Well, what do you want?” I ask, reaching across the table and clasping her hands.

“I want you to be happy,” she replies honestly.

“But if you really don’t want me to do another one, then I understand and I’ll just say--”

“No,” she silences me. “Look, Justin, I’ve been thinking about this, and times like last night reminded me who you are, and what’s expected of you.”

Leaning back in her seat, she sighs. “I mean, I just watched you go from one little circle to the next, talking with everyone, making everyone laugh, looking gorgeous, and I thought yes, entertaining is what he’s meant to do.” She puts her elbow on the table, supporting her head with her hand. “I know I don’t necessarily fit into that little world, nor do I want to,” she rolls her eyes. “But I don’t want to hold you back from what you were clearly born to do.”

I think I love her more with each word out of her mouth. “I don’t want to leave this, though,” I admit quietly.

“What’s ‘this’?”

“This. You and me. And Trace,” I add, smirking. “Us just…having fun, goofing around, waiting for you to come back from work so we can get into trouble.”

She laughs, replacing her hand in mine. “I know. I’ve had a lot of fun too.”

“And it’s natural fun, not the type of fun Trace and I had when we were drunk, or stoned, or whatever…” I sigh, looking down at the table for a second, my eyes dancing over a cut in the wood. “I don’t want to leave that, you know?”

She nods. “But…you can always come back to it. We have our whole lives to be the weird threesome we are now.”

I laugh. “So you’re okay with me going to the meeting tomorrow?”

She takes a breath, letting it out slowly. “Yeah, yes I am,” she says finally.

Placing a kiss on her forehead, I murmur, “Thing are going to be just fine Cat, just fine.”

She squeezes me hand and manages a weak smile. “I hope so.”
Chapter 7 by Teeny
My right foot anxiously taps the hard wooden floor, my eyes flying between the elevator and the bent head of the secretary as she calmly types into her computer. Cold air filters out from the air vent unnecessarily, filling the already cool room with a chill. People rush back and forth, their eyes set forward, avoiding eye contact, avoiding communication, avoiding each other…because they’re just too damn busy.

I hate offices.

It’s times like this I can clearly see my popularity decline in modern pop culture. If I had been called into a meeting a year or two ago, before I even took this break, the very moment I stepped into the building I would have been politely escorted to wherever I had to be by a stuttering, star struck assistant, and then had some guy twice my age walk on eggshells to please me. But now, I was waved off by the secretary and told that I would be, “seen to shortly”. The last secretary had a crush on me and would swing in her chair as she talked to me, blushing as I complimented her. But this new one is a total bitch. I hope she gets fired.

“Mr. Timberlake?”

“Yeah?” My head snaps up to see the secretary standing over me, her thin eyebrow raised.

“They’re ready for you.”

They’re ready for you… This is a business meeting, not Judgment Day.

“Thanks,” I smile, rising from the scratchy material covering the seat. Yeah, thanks…bitch.

“Second floor, third right,” she says curtly, pointing towards the elevator with a finely manicured hand.

Beaming at her, I put on my most jovial voice. “Thank you very much!”

A few heads turn in my direction, but the secretary nods and returns to her fort at the entrance of the building.

If only Cat was here. She’d already have compromised a stunning list of faults for the woman already.

I would have loved to have Cat here, actually. She’d have made the whole thing a whole lot easier, with her insults that I’d have to shush because people were looking at us, or her loud remarks about whether dyed blonde hair could ever look natural. But she had work, and the longer I can keep her away from the record company the better. The last girlfriend I had was summoned in for an “evaluation” to see whether it was wise to let the public see her as my girlfriend, and she came home crying because they told her it would be better if she lost weight.

It sounds unbelievable people could possibly treat another member of the human race like that, but publicity and the handling of my image is almost as important as the music itself. Publicists are heartless, ruthless, cruel people, in my opinion. They scrutinize you until you can barely live in your own skin, they don’t hesitate to remind you of every flaw you have, and they won’t stop until you’re perfect.

Unfortunately, they do the same for the people around you. They did it to my ex girlfriends, they’ll do it to Cat. They used to tell Britney that she was too heavy, and although Cat isn’t fat, she’s no Britney. They’re going to crucify her. They’ll attack her weight, her hair, her job. Nothing about her will be left untouched. Hence the reason I'm slightly reluctant to tag her along to any of these horrible meetings.

Despite the whirlwind of thoughts stirring in my head, my feet carry me up the elevator and along the corridor, to the third door on the right. Frowning, I feel the butterflies twittering around in my stomach, reminding me that for the first time in a long while, I’m nervous.

But why? Normally I have these guys wrapped around my little finger. I control all the meetings we have because they know that if they lost me, there’d be trouble, and I’d easily get snatched up by another label. The moment I stepped through the door they would launch into a chorus of, “Oh, how lovely to see you Mr. Timberlake…” and practically cower in my presence. Rather amusing, in fact.

However I have the gnawing suspicion that this time, I won’t be met with such gracious hospitality. I’m not on the top of my game at the moment, I don’t own the number one album in the country under my belt anymore. I’m just…a someone. A famous someone, sure, but I’m not their most important client any longer. I’ve been replaced by other acts, other Justin Timberlake’s. Not to mention they’re probably pissed as hell that I have ignored them for so long. The very fact they’ve come all the way from their sophisticated LA offices to backwater Tennessee fills me with dread. Whatever they want, they want it now, and there’s no way I can wriggle out of it.

Resting my hand on the silver doorknob reflecting a skewered image of myself, I gently ease the door open, preparing myself for whatever they have to throw at me.

An oblong wooden table meets me, with three men and a woman sitting at its varnished edges. I immediately recognize one particular man, with his shaven head covered by a New York baseball cap and his broad back covered by a navy polo shirt. It can only be Johnny Wright.

His head swivels to see me, a broad grinning adorning the face I’ve come to know so well. “Justin!”

“Johnny!” I cry, holding out my arms to embrace him in a quick hug. “How you been, man?”

“Good, good,” he smiles, patting my back. “And you?”

“Can’t complain,” I shrug, beaming at him.

He turns to the other members of the room that have risen on my arrival. “Justin, this is Melinda Lorenz,” he says, pointing to a woman of about forty, dressed in a restrictive business suit.

“Justin Timberlake,” I reply, holding my hand out to her with a smile.

She sends me a polite, tight, “I don’t really mean this”, smile in return. “Nice to meet you.”

“And you know Sonny and Tony,” he says, motioning to the other two men.

Of course I remember Sonny, I can’t look at the guy without getting that Cher song in my head. You know, the “I got you, babe” thing…never mind. As for Tony, well…the guy is a true asshole.

Decked out in only the finest Armani suit, Tony is the typical music business bastard, with a thirst for money and a disregard for human emotion. He’s the guy that told Britney she had to show her stomach otherwise her records would never sell, he’s the person who told Christina the chaps were the only way people would stop singing Genie in a Bottle, he’s the prick that told me going back to Nsync would mean the end of my career.

He’s the Simon Cowell behind the scenes. The difference is, Simon Cowell gets paid millions of dollars for his insults, this guy is just a dick naturally. It kills me to admit that half of his predictions are right, and that if it wasn’t for him a lot of careers would have never taken off. I hate him, but I would be nothing without him.

“Hey Tony,” I greet curtly, dropping his hand quickly, as though his touch burned me. “Sonny,” I mutter, my eyes still fixed on Tony.

“Sit down, Justin, sit down,” says Johnny happily, pointing towards the seat beside him.

Sliding into the slick black leather, I sit opposite Tony, casting a critical eye over him. He looks no different from when I last saw him, he still has the same perfectly highlighted hair, he still has that wonderfully fake all year round tan, he still carries that air of arrogance about him, there’s still a sparkling Rolex on his left wrist. All I have to see is whether his tone is still quite as condescending.

“Justin, how are you?” he says, sending me a smile that I can so clearly see is forced.

“I’m well, thank you,” I reply shortly. The easiest thing to do with these people is to just keep your distance. It gives them less ammo to attack you with.

“Did you have a nice break?” asks Sonny cheerfully, momentarily cutting through the slight tension in the air.

“Thanks, I’ve been having a great time.” I don’t miss the fact he was speaking very much in the past tense, but it’s hard to dislike Sonny. He’s just a middle-aged man with three kids and a wife at home, who always has cute anecdotes about the wild antics of his children. Tony may be out to get me, but Sonny isn’t.

“And how long have you been absent from the music scene?” asks Melinda, her pen perfectly poised to jot anything I say down.

What am I, giving a statement for a murder? This is ridiculous. “I’ve been absent,” I mock, couldn’t she just say ‘away’? “For about a year now.”

“Over a year, isn’t it?” prods Tony.

Thanks a lot Tony. “Perhaps.”

“Do you wish to return to it?” asks Melinda again, her brown eyes settling on me.

Cut to the chase, why don’t you. “Maybe,” I reply simply.

“Have you got any material?”

“Some.”

“Have you been in contact with any producers?”

“Sort of.” Elusiveness is a wonderful thing.

“Who have you been in contact with?” asks Tony impatiently, his pen tapping restlessly on the dark hue of the table.

I shrug, revving up another wonderfully minimalist answer. “Just a few friends.”

Johnny taps my foot with his own under the table, shooting me a warning gaze. I know I’m being the cheeky pupil in class who just loves to push the teacher that little bit further, but the idea that I’m even slightly affecting Tony fills me with immature satisfaction.

Pulling down my defensive walls slightly, I sigh. These guys are paying for me after all. “I’ve been in brief contact with Chad and Pharrell, but I’m not sure whether that’s the sound I want to go for.”

“What kind of sound are you interested in?” asks Sonny, genuine interest coming through in his question.

“It can’t be too different, Justin. You have a staple audience that we want to keep,” reminds Tony.

Piss off and die, Mr. Perma-tan Man. “Well, yes, but I might appeal to a whole new audience with a different sound.” How good it would feel to add, “asshole” to the end of that sentence.

“What kind of sound?” he asks wearily, as though I’m just another spoilt pop star bitching about his music.

“Something more…organic, perhaps. More raw, acoustic guitars, less dance beats. Kind of…John Mayer-y.”

He chuckles, rolling the pen between his fingertips. “I don’t think that’s a very good idea.”

“Why not?” I demand.

“Because raw, acoustic crap isn’t what’s in now,” he says bluntly, placing his pen back on the table. “I think you’d be better sticking with the pop-y sound you had on your last album.”

Pop-y? Pop-y? That was no way pop-y, you complete prick. It was much more R’n’B. “I won’t completely abandon my roots,” I say slowly through gritted teeth, trying to calm myself. “But the fans won’t buy the same thing again. I have to do something different.”

He shakes his head as I speak, which by the way, really annoyed me. “No, no, no, Justin. You have a core fan base which we wouldn’t want to lose.”

“I’m not saying it would be the complete opposite of Justified, I’m just saying it would have a more mellow sound to it.” Why the hell this guy even cares, I don’t know. I doubt he even listened to my album, he probably just signed a few papers and paid for my studio time.

He tilts his head back, as though he’s contemplating it, before shaking his head again. “I’m still not sure.”

“I think it could work,” cuts in Johnny, receiving a thankful glance from me. “The whole dance thing isn’t really in right now anyway.”

“I agree,” says Sonny, smiling at the grateful grin I send him. “But, at the same time…I’m not sure about a John Mayer sound. I’d say it’s definitely leaning more towards the direction of R’n’B or rap. You got people like Fifty Cent, Eminem--”

“But they’re always popular,” points out Melinda. “And they’re music is nothing like Justin’s. That would be too radical a change.”

Don’t you hate it when people talk like you’re not even there? “That’s true,” says Johnny thoughtfully. “But I still think that last album’s stuff isn’t what’s popular right now.”

“Pop is always popular,” says Tony disapprovingly. “There are millions of teenage girls ready to rush out and buy another album about love and trials and all that stuff.”

“How different do you want it, Justin?” Sonny asks, his gaze resting on me.

“Nothing too crazy. Tony’s right,” I admit unwillingly. “I have a signature sound that I have to stick to, but there will just be a few changes. I’ve grown up, it’s inevitable that my music has too.”

“Okay,” Tony relents, sitting forward in his chair and placing his elbows on the table, his contempt seeping through his words. “Why don’t you lay down a few tracks and we’ll see how we like it?”

“So you want me to start work on it now?” I strangle out, realizing I had inadvertently been discussing a matter that shouldn't even be on my mind yet. I was so busy defending a different style of music, I didn’t even realize the point of the meeting was whether I was even going to do an album in the first place.

“Isn’t that what you want?” says Sonny.

“So soon?” I stutter helplessly.

“What do you mean, ‘so soon’? It’s been a year for Christ’s Sake,” snorts Tony, running a hand through his bleached hair. “You should be thankful we’ve not dropped you.”

My mouth falls open in shock. What did he just say to me? “What the hell are you talking about?” I spit angrily.

He shrugs nonchalantly. “You haven’t been an economic asset to the company.”

“That’s because I was the only economic asset for three years,” I retort furiously. “I was the best client Jive fucking had!”

Johnny places a steady hand on my arm, pulling me back down slightly. “Justin, he didn’t mean that.”

“Justin,” begins Tony, his blue eyes blazing as he clasps his hands together. “I understand your reasons for taking a break, but it is my personal opinion that your return to work is long overdue. You can’t expect us to be happy about your sudden departure from the music scene because, as you said, you were our best client.”

Does he honestly think that a forced business like manner and a clipped tone are really going to make me less angry? “You try working for eight years straight,” I snap.

“Justin, do you want to do another album or not?” Sonny interrupts us, casting worried glances between Tony and I. “We can’t go any further until you answer that question.”

Sighing, a hand runs its way through my hair. “Yes,” I say quietly, as though I’m admitting it to myself.

I do want to make another album. I do want to go out and perform songs that I’ve written, and see legions of fans singing along to every word. I do want to go out and get utterly trashed with all of my friends at some high brow club, dancing on the tables and the whole shebang.

But I don’t want to do all of this at the cost of Cat.

“Then what’s stopping you?” says Tony impatiently.

“You seem slightly hesitant,” adds Sonny, raising an eyebrow.

Groaning, I shrug. “Well, it’s just…there’s something, or someone, that I have to take into consideration before I sign or do anything…” I ramble, not particularly keen on going into detail of what is bothering me.

“Is it a girlfriend?” asks Johnny.

“Um…well, yes…”

“A girlfriend!” Tony exclaims, as though I had just told him I had brutally murdered a group of innocent nuns with a chainsaw. “Why didn’t you tell us?”

Shrugging, I take great pleasure in inspecting my nails nonchalantly, just to piss him off. “I didn’t feel the need to. She isn’t involved in this side of my life.”

“She’s involved, whether she likes it or not,” Tony scoffs.

Narrowing my eyes at him, I shake my head. “No, she isn’t. I have no desire to expose her to this,” I repeat, gesturing to my surroundings.

Tony rolls his eyes at me, shaking his head in frustration. “How can you claim she’s got nothing to do with this when she’s the one holding back another album?”

“She's not holding back the album. That’s nothing to do with her. That’s about me and where my priorities lie.”

“And where do they lie, Justin?” Tony spits spitefully. “In your career, or your girlfriend?”

My jaw clenches as I ponder a response. “In both.”

“You can’t have both.”

“Why not?”

He glares at me. “If you could, then why aren’t you touring right now with your girlfriend in tow?”

Silence envelops the room, everyone’s eyes landing on me. I try to conjure up a witty, sarcastic reply, but I can’t.

He sighs and runs a hand through his hair. “You’re going to have to make a choice Justin. The career that you’ve worked hard for, or some girl you’ve been seeing a few weeks.”

“I’m not going to give up either,” I protest.

“Then you’re girlfriend is just going to have to accept the fact that there will be a few changes.”

Feeling a wave of fatigue wash over me, I nod helplessly. “Fine. But the less we ask of her, the better.”

“Justin, we’re not giving trying to give you an ultimatum,” Johnny says comfortingly, sending Tony a piercing glare. “You’ve had girlfriends before. I don’t see why this poses a problem.”

“She’s…different,” I struggle to explain. “She would hate being in the public eye.”

Johnny shrugs. “We’ve dealt with that before also. You just have to be careful.”

“No, no, Johnny, I mean she really hates it,” I stress anxiously, my voice lowering as I discuss something a little more personal. “It could cause huge problems for our relationship.”

“Couldn’t it with any relationship?”

“This one in particular.”

“Is that the only thing holding you back?” asks Melinda, and for a moment, I had forgotten she was even there. It isn’t really any of her business, but I suppose if I’m going to make a “return”, I’d better get used to people I don’t know prodding me about my private life. It’s sort of like going to the doctor, you have someone you don’t even know seeing and knowing things you haven’t even told your own mother.

“Yes,” I admit. “She’s supportive and all, but I’m just unwilling to risk everything I have with her for…” I trail off uncertainly.

“Justin, it’s not a black or white situation,” says Johnny comfortingly. “You’re thinking far too negatively. Just because you get back into the music scene doesn’t necessarily mean the end for you and your girlfriend. It just means slight adjustments.”

“Such as?” I ask, feeling slightly consoled by his words.

Johnny leans back in his chair, shrugging. “The same adjustments we always make. A few appearances here and there, you’d have to move out of Tennessee…”

“See!” I interrupt. “There’s a problem right there. She won’t just up and leave her home to suit me.”

“Have you discussed it with her?” asks Sonny.

“No, but trust me, she won’t just give up everything she’s built here for me,” I say, dread filling me as realization hits me. Cat won’t leave Tennessee at the drop of a hat, even if I say pretty please. She has a whole life here.

“Well, you can’t make an album here,” points out Melinda. “Producers will be extremely unwillingly to come all the way down to the South to work, even if it’s for you.”

“I know I was,” mutters Tony, but I ignore him.

“Where would I go?”

Johnny smiles. “You have property all over, Justin. You decide.”

Grinning slightly, I shrug. “Don’t get me wrong, I do want to make music again, it’s just…” Sighing, I rap a knuckle against the table impatiently. “I have a great thing going here, you know? But then again, I do miss recording..." Conflict is a bitch.

“Why don’t you just try it?” offers Sonny. “You can have a trial period in LA, or New York, or something. You can see how you and your girlfriend adapt to the change, and we can see whether we like the new style you go for.”

Tapping my chin thoughtfully, I nod. “That is a good idea.”

“Yeah, just a few months in a city, sort of get back into the swing of things, and then we’ll see how it goes.”

“But whether she’ll come with me is still a problem.”

“Why don’t you sort out your personal issues, and we’ll deal with studio times and producers?” says Tony, leaning back in his seat and giving his wrist a shake, probably just so I’ll look at his watch. Who wants to bet he bought it for ten dollars at a flea market?

“Fine,” I reply in a clipped voice. “I’ll get in touch when I’ve sorted it out with her. Until I do though, don’t make any arrangements.”

“Alright,” agrees Melissa, punctuating her final sentence and gathering her papers. What the hell has she even written about? “I don’t mean to rush you, but if you could get in contact with one of us within the next few working days that would be great.”

“Of course,” I say, giving her a smile and wondering exactly how long I’m going to wait before I call her. “So no contracts?” I tease, knowing Johnny hates to just do something out of the blue. He much prefers to have something set in stone, or at least written down on some sort of legally binding piece of paper. To have loose agreements flying around the table must be killing him, but I refuse to rush into this. I’ll speak with Cat again, beg her to move out of Tennessee, and then it’ll be all systems go.

I can’t wait to be back in a studio again. To feel the spongy material of the headphones covering my ears as a producer nods at me through the transparent glass, to have the nights of lounging around in the studio, trying to think of that one thing that would piece together a song. It’s been too long since my finger toyed with all the various switches and buttons on the mixing board, messing around with beats and coming up with something crazy until that euphoric moment when I know I’ve gotten it just right.

But not until Cat says it’s okay.

He smiles. “No, no contracts.”

I shake hands with Melissa, Sonny and…ugh…even Tony. The child in me came out and I held his hand in a vice-like grip before letting it go and delivering a saccharine sweet smile. Serves him right, the orangutan.

“This girl must be really special for you to be so precautious, Justin,” comments Johnny as I quickly hug him.

“Trust me, she is,” I assure him, patting his back.

“She’s turned you into quite the emotionally alert man I always knew you were.”

“You calling me whipped, Johnny?”

“That I am,” he laughs.

Rolling my eyes, I suppress a smile. “Trace says the exact same thing.”

“He’s right.”

“I’m not whipped, I’m just…I swear, I was just having this conversation with Trace two days ago.”

“Don’t worry. Your pitiable state is endearing.”

“Oh, thanks.”

“No prob.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Do you think if you attached weights to the end of your hair, it would grow faster?”

Frowning slightly, I turn to Trace. Knowing him for a year should have prepared me for his streams of consciousness, but clearly, I can still be astounded by the undeniable crap that tumbles out of his mouth. “Excuse me?”

“Well, I read it in a Babysitters Club book once, and I always wondered…”

“Which brings us onto a more pressing issue: Why in hell were you reading The Babysitters Club?” I ask, closing my book with a confused expression on my face.

He shrugs. “My little sister used to give me books to read on plane rides, and she was apparently an avid fan of the whole Babysitter phenomenon, so--”

“No excuse,” I cut him off, tossing my book to the side. “And anyway, no, I don’t think attaching weights to the end of your hair would make it grow faster.”

He nods, seemingly satisfied, before looking at me again. “Do you think I should try anyway?”

Rolling my eyes, I heave myself off the couch, hopping over my discarded work shoes I had kicked off upon arriving home for my lunch hour. “Sure. I can always use a cheap laugh.”

He laughs and follows me into the kitchen, going through his usual ritual of opening every cupboard door and peering into it for food. “We got any chips?”

“No. I thought you and Justin were going to go to the store?”

He shakes his head vigorously. “Ever been grocery shopping with Justin? He won’t buy anything unless it’s on special offer or has a discount.”

“Because he’s just so poor,” I mutter sarcastically, pouring some milk into a glass. “I’ve always thought Justin was generous with money.”

Trace shrugs and settles on the counter. “He’ll go out and buy a car in a second, but he still refuses to spend an extra dollar fifty on the bread with the little seeds on top.”

Laughing, I pull out a chair and slide onto it, my thoughts traveling to Justin. “I wonder how his meeting went.”

Trace shrugs. “He said he’d be back around one, and it’s only twelve thirty.”

“What could they be talking about?”

“Stuff,” replies Trace offhandedly. “Whether it’s the right time for him to go back, what style of music he’s going for, which producers he wants.”

Crossing on leg over the other, I sigh tiredly. “So he’s definitely going to do it?”

Trace remains silent for a moment, staring at his swinging legs. “He wants to, but I think he’s just a little scared to be going back into it.”

“Is he…” I trail off, tracing the rim of my glass with my finger. “Different? You know, when he’s working and in the public eye?”

Trace pauses again, looking at my cautiously. “Honestly? Yes, he’s different.”

“How?” I ask timidly, almost afraid of his answer.

Trace sighs and shrugs. “It’s hard to say. He’s a little more confident, a little louder, he’s always the center of attention and he loves it…sometimes, he can get a little too caught up in everything, but other than that he’s fine.”

“Not too arrogant?”

He smirks. “You know Justin, he’s always arrogant.” I chuckle lightly, before he continues. “Sure, it can get unbearable at times, but you know deep down he doesn’t mean to get like that. It’s just a natural reaction to get a tad conceited when everyone who surrounds you is praising you and admiring you.”

“Do you think he’ll act differently around me?”

“He’s the same Justin, Cat. It’s just his…work act.” Trace shrugs. “Don’t you have a certain way you act at work?”

Thinking about it, I realize I do. At work, I’m relatively quiet and reserved. People like me, and every now and then I meet up with some girls from work to go out for a drink, but I mostly keep my head down and just carry on with my work. The only person who has any inkling of how I am out of work is Sean, and let’s not even go there.

“I guess. So you’re saying he’s just the same when he’s alone?”

“Of course,” he assures me. “Don’t worry about it Cutie, he’s not going to be a different person.” He pauses, eyeing me carefully. “You’re keeping your distance from the whole thing, aren’t you?”

“I most certainly am,” I snort, pulling out a few slices of bread to make a sandwich. “I plan to avoid every party, every public appearance, every launch, every interview, every press junket, every--”

“Yeah, I get you. Thanks for that list,” he groans, rubbing his eyes. “It was more than an adequate reminder of just what I’m returning to, thank you.”

“You don’t like your job?” I ask incredulously, taking a bite of my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Excuse me, that is a perfectly mature sandwich preference, thank you very much.

“No, it’s not that. It’s just…” he sighs. “As I said, Justin sometimes gets a little involved in everything going on around him, and I’m just left in the shadows.”

Sitting down at the table beside him, I comfortingly pat his hand. “We all feel like that sometimes. At every family event I go to, everyone practically falls over themselves praising my sisters and then they turn to me and shrug.”

He laughs. “Even when Justin’s there?”

“Oh, of course no when Justin’s there,” I laugh, licking a bit of peanut butter that oozed out of the bread. “That boy’s the Golden Ticket.”

“You think they’re bad,” Trace snorts. “Wait ‘til you meet some hardcore journalists. Then you’ll see endless praise at it’s best.”

“Is it sickening?”

“Incredibly.”

Hearing the creak of the door, we both look up to see Justin standing over us, a smirk on his face.

“Did I just hear the word incredible? You guys talking about me again?” he teases, sliding off his jacket.

“Your ego, actually,” I reply, standing up to give him a quick kiss.

I don’t want to pounce on him and admit the only reason I came back on my lunch break was to interrogate him on his meeting, but I know I’ll be incapable of talking about anything but what happened. I have to know. I have to know whether he’s definitely, definitely going back to this whole world I know nothing about. I have to know whether the safety blanket of our relationship is going to be ripped away from me, leaving me cold and alone.

Stop being so dramatic Cat, and just suck it up and ask him.

“How was it?” I ask quickly, my words coming out in such speedy succession it’s amazing he can understand me.

“It was…alright,” he replies awkwardly, walking into the kitchen and putting down his keys. “It was…yeah, it was alright.”

Informative, Justin. “So, um,” I begin even more awkwardly, as Trace eyes the door with serious consideration. “It’s, um…on?”

It’s on? Could I sound more like a teenage boy about to embark on some stupid street race?

“No, not yet,” Justin replies, picking up an orange and throwing it between his hands a few times. “But as soon as I give them the word, it’s all set.”

“What’s stopping you?”

“You,” he replies simply as my breath catches in my throat.

“Me?” I strangle out. “Why me?”

“I don’t want to do anything unless you’re behind me 100%.”

Guilt bites at my conscience as I sigh. “I’m so sorry, Justin. I didn’t mean to make you feel as though you couldn’t--”

“You didn’t,” he interrupts. “I just know I won’t be happy unless you are.”

My heart melts at his words. “Justin…”

“Look, Cat, I need to be honest with you,” he says suddenly, halting my words.

A knot ties itself in the pit of my stomach as I try to calm myself. “What happened?”

He sighs. “As I was saying, a new album’s just waiting to be made, but…there’s just a few…adjustments that need to be made first.”

“Of course.”

“The main one being…” he trails off and clears his throat anxiously.

Spit it out Justin. You’re making me nervous.

“The main one being where we live,” he says quickly.

“Well, what do you mean?”

“I can’t make an album here Cat, it just wouldn’t work,” he begins apologetically, as I sense a big cloud of trouble on the horizon making itself known. “I’d…we’d have to move.”

“To where?” I choke out.

He shrugs. “New York, LA…”

“But-but,” I stutter helplessly, amazed this never occurred to me before. “What about my job? My friends? I have a whole life here, Justin.”

“I know,” he says, his calm, slightly nervous voice contrasting to my gradually hysterical one. “And I know it’s a lot to ask of you, but--”

“It sure as fuck is, Justin!” I exclaim angrily. “I can’t just give up everything I have to follow you around the country like some lost little puppy! What if we broke up? Do you know where that would leave me, Justin? Exactly where I was when I first came to Tennessee!” I spit heatedly, narrowing my eyes as memory upon memory comes crashing down on me.

Matthew and I being the sweet teens too in love to comply to their parents’ wishes, traveling off to unknown lands to continue our glowing love…Matthew making promise upon promise that we would live happily ever after, that he would get a job good enough to support us both, so I needn’t work or further my education...Matthew and I just being so in love.

But then, suddenly, Matthew leaving me alone and helpless, feeling more stupid than I ever have in my life. All of his promises meant nothing to me. Nothing.

And now Justin’s doing it. For the first time in three years, I’m back on my feet again. The image of me in a Shelby Forest General Store uniform may seem like a distant memory to him, but it’s not to me. I worked in that place for two years, knowing it was barely enough money to live on, knowing I was wasting my intelligence, and knowing I had committed the most stupid crime known to women by obeying a man’s wishes at the click of his fingers.

I never realized we’d have to move. It just never entered my mind. I suppose I assumed Justin would just work here in Tennessee, or he would go to New York for a week or something, and then he’d be back in the Southern Belt. The possibility of leaving everything I’ve worked so hard for just…it doesn’t seem fair.

“Cat, calm down.”

“Justin! How can I calm down? Do you even realize the magnitude of what you’re asking of me?”

“Cat, you know I wouldn’t do that to you!”

“You can’t possibly control our future, Justin. Things happen, people change,” I exclaim, shouting across the table over an uncomfortable Trace, who sits between me and Justin’s standing figures.

“Would you please just stop writing off our relationship before it’s barely begun!” Justin scoffs. “And I think you owe it to me to at least consider it.”

“I ‘owe it’ to you? And how the hell is that, may I ask?” I spit sarcastically, placing my hands on my hips stubbornly.

“Why the hell do you think me and Trace stayed in this piece of crap town? There’s only so many times we could have visited our relatives. It was for you, Cat! We stayed for you alone!”

“You didn’t have to!” I retort, before realizing that was the worst comeback, bar the infamous, ‘whatever’.

“But we did. Stop being so selfish, and just think about it!”

Letting out a groan of exasperation, I rub my eyes tiredly. Doesn’t he realize how difficult it would be for me to just leave everything I’ve known for the past four years? Does he have any idea how many stupid, ridiculous, pointless articles on hamsters or festivals or plays that I did just so I could have a chance of doing more serious issues? Does he know how much I love the job I’m in right now?

Maybe I am being selfish by not even considering it, but every time I allow my brain to work for a second, all I hear is the sneer of, ‘you’re falling for this again? Don’t you ever learn from your mistakes?’ I can’t. I just can’t do that to myself again. It’s too risky. I have too much of a good thing going here to just give it all up because Justin asked me to.

“Justin, this is going to get us nowhere,” I mutter, closing my eyes and lightly kneading my forehead to ease the pressure in it. Opening my eyes, my focus lands on the small green digits displayed by the microwave, reminding me that I’m already five minutes late for work.

“I need to go,” I announce, picking up my purse from the dark gray surface of the counter. “We’ll talk about this when I get back,” I mumble tiredly, quickly picking up my shoes from the living room floor and slipping them on.

Justin sighs and leans forward, against the back of the wooden kitchen chair. “Alright. Bye.”

I run out of the house before another word can be uttered, knowing I shouldn’t have just left in the middle of such a heated discussion, but knowing I’ll have no job to give up if I don’t leave. Work will give me the chance to relax, and think without the pressure of Justin and Trace. Maybe I could even talk to Sean about it.

Sliding into the leather interior of my car, I rest my head against the steering wheel, reminiscing the argument that stemmed from an innocent conversation. I love Justin, but I love my job too. My job is secure, Justin isn’t. If I leave, I’ll have to give up my job, and I desperately don’t want to do that.

But at the same time, I don’t want to give up Justin.
Chapter 8 by Teeny
The bang of the door echoes through the silent house as Trace coughs uncomfortably, clearly embarrassed by the couple’s quarrel he just witnessed.

“That didn’t go very well,” I admit, staring at the empty doorway.

He grunts in response.

“I’m sure she’ll be fine, though. Once she‘s had a chance to think about it.”

“Mm,” he agrees, apparently unconvinced.

“What?” I ask, turning to him. “You don’t think so?”

“Justin…” he begins hesitantly. “I don’t want to make you feel any worse, but…don’t you realize there’s the chance she won’t come?”

“What do you mean?” I ask, turning to him and placing my hands on the back of one of the kitchen chairs. “Of course she’ll come. She can’t just stay here. We’d have to break up.”

Trace shifts uncomfortably, as though he hates to be the one to tell me this. “Exactly.”

Fear grips me as I throw another glance in the direction of the slammed door. What if she truly doesn’t come with me? Would that just be the end of Justin and Cat?

No, no, it can’t be. The idea is just unfathomable. People like us strived to be together in the beginning, we overcame all the obstacles in our way, we’re modern day martyrs for true love…we don’t just break up.

“No…no, that’s out of the question,” I stutter quickly, the pressure of the situation dawning on me.

“I don’t want to worry you, man,” says Trace, holding up his hands in defense. “I’m just saying, this is a situation you really need to be careful about. You know how Cat is…always the big feminist.”

“Yeah,” I mumble, casting my gaze over the window to the frosty land outside. “I’m sure she’ll come round though, right?”

Trace is silent for a moment, twiddling his thumbs and staring at them intently. “I hope so.” He stops the steady whirling of his fingers too look at me. “As I said, be careful.”

“She’s just mad at the moment,” I say reassuringly, more to myself than Trace, who shoots me a disbelieving look. “She’ll be fine when she gets back from work.”

Trace snorts, unconvinced. “She might not be so angry, but remember what you’re asking of her, Justin. She has every right to be mad or upset.”

“I know, and I knew it would be difficult…but don’t you think she’s overreacting just a little bit?” Trace shoots me a look that clearly says I either retract my statement or lose my right testicle. “No, I mean of course I understand this is a big deal for her, but Trace, she’s twenty two years old. She shouldn’t just be stuck in the same state for the rest of her life. She needs to go out and live a little.”

“That’s true,” he nods. “But you know Cat isn’t the sort of girl to throw everything up in the air and do something irrational. She likes to think things through, make sure the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, have everything planned. She’s not like us, Justin. She’s smart.”

Laughing, I pull the chair out opposite him and slide into it. “But don’t you think she should try being just a little more adventurous at times? You know, just…throw the rule book out of the window!” The wild gesturing of my hands causes Trace to frown at me.

“Well…I suppose Cat likes the rule book.”

“But what’s the worst that could happen? She doesn’t get a job and gets to do whatever she wants in one of the most amazing cities in America? Oh yeah, disaster.”

“You know how much she hates to feel useless. She has to be working and making her own money to be comfortable in her own skin.”

“I would take care of her,” I mumble quietly.

“I know you would, and so does Cat.” Trace sighs, and I sense a large, ‘but’ coming up… “But,” there it is… “that’s not what she wants. She wants her own life.”

I remain silent, idly scratching my finger on the wooden surface of the table. “So you don’t think she’ll come with me?”

Trace’s eyes sweep to the left, settling on a picture of me and Cat that I stuck on the refrigerator a few weeks ago. We were repainting the spare room, which of course resulted in more paint being splashed on each other than on the walls, and Trace took pictures of us as he played with his new camera. For once, Cat wasn’t whining about the fact someone was photographing her, and let Trace take as many pictures as he wanted. One particular picture of Cat and I laughing as I try to attack her with a paintbrush struck me as the perfect expression of our relationship. Fun, teasing, but underneath the surface of what people see--a private love for each other, that no one can touch.

“I hope she does, man,” Trace finally answers, tearing his eyes away from the picture. “I know she’ll regret it if she stays here.”

“I guess I’ll talk to her when she comes back from work.”

Trace sighs, sending another fleeting glance toward the photo. “You’d better make it good, Justin. The last thing you want to do is lose her.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to keep my head below the line of the cubicles, I scurry into the office, my eyes cautiously darting around in search of my ever-present boss. If he sees me scuttling in ten minutes late, he will not be pleased. I’ve been on thin ice with him ever since he heard me mutter something along the lines of how sorry I felt for his wife and what a difference a lack of sex can make to a person’s personality under my breath.

Quickly throwing my purse down at my desk, I tear of my jacket and hang in on the back of my chair, trying to look as unflustered and “What? I’ve been here all along!” as I can.

“He already knows you’re late,” says Sean, his fingers working at a furious pace as he types up something on the computer.

“Oh shit,” I groan, throwing my forehead down on the table with a thud. “That really hurt,” I complain, lifting my head up and rubbing the sore spot.

He laughs, taking a break from his typing to swing around on his chair to face me. “Have a good lunch?”

“The worst,” I mutter, turning on my computer and sifting through a few sheets of research.

“Why? What happened?” asks Sean, scooting forward to listen to me in a comforting manner.

Oh no. The last thing I need to is for Sean to start being all nice and to reawaken those guilty feelings I’ve had for so long. After we broke up, he was surprisingly civil to me. I expected him to bitch and send me cold glares but no, he was perfectly mature and adult about it. He said that he understood that if Justin was what I wanted then so be it, and that he hoped we could still be friends.

It doesn’t take away the nagging shame I feel every time Justin calls the office, only for Sean to answer the phone. His face droops slightly, and he just hands the phone over to me with this sad expression on his face, before taking little glances at me every now and then. I can’t possibly grasp why, but I know he still cares for me, and that there are faint traces of his boyfriend feelings towards me that have to die out.

“Cat?” he says, attracting my attention and waving his hand in front of my face. “What happened?”

Taking a breath, I open my mouth. “Well, it’s just--”

“Catherine!” barks Mr. Karter, my not so lovable boss, his bushy gray eyebrows set in a frown. “You’re late!”

“I know, and I’m sorry, Mr. Karter,” I whimper pathetically, adopting my best ‘kiss ass’ tone. “My…my car, you see, it broke down.” Excellent thinking on the spot, I’d say.

“Catherine, you live fifteen minutes away,” he scolds. “Couldn’t you have walked?”

“Well…um, I did. That’s why I was late,” I reply triumphantly. Years of making up excuses has finally developed to such a point where I can do it on the spot.

He makes a strange, ‘humph’ sound, before turning away and briskly walking towards his office, leaving a giggling Sean and I. “Nice save,” comments Sean. “So, you were saying?”

“Oh, it’s just Justin…” I trail off at the visible bristling of Sean.

He tries to hide his emotions, but the tightening of his jaw and the vanish of his smile does little to hide the fact that his thoughts towards Justin are still a little frosty. “What did he do?” he asks in a clipped tone.

“You know,” I begin, already feeling awkwardness seep into the air. “This is wrong. With all that happened…I don’t want to make you uncomfortable,” I ramble, turning back to my sheets as a blush creeps onto my face. I don’t want to make him uncomfortable, what about myself? Things with Sean are difficult enough at times, without adding an in-depth chat about my relationship with the man that I dumped him for.

His hand reaches out and grazes my arm, and I briefly think back to a time when his touch would have sparked something inside of me. He was such a great guy, there was absolutely nothing wrong with him…but he just wasn’t Justin. “No, come on. We’re friends, we can talk to each other.”

I shift uncomfortably in my chair, feeling his eyes spear through me. “But it’s just…”

“Cat, I’ve accepted the fact you and Justin are together,” he chuckles lightly, although it doesn’t quite reach his saddened eyes. “Perhaps I’m not Justin’s number one supporter, but my dislike for Justin is nothing in comparison to my friendship with you.”

He reaches out and clasps my hand, gently rubbing it. “And I promise I won’t pull the bitter ex boyfriend gag and try to convince you that you can do better, and then suggest myself as a candidate.”

I can’t help but chuckle. “Okay.” Scanning the office for signs of my boss or any tell-tale employees, I discard the research to the side and pull my chair forward a little bit. “In short, Justin’s asked me to move with him out of Tennessee.”

Sean gasps, his facial expression quickly folding into a disapproving frown. “What? What the hell makes him think you’ll do that? God, that guy can be so...”

“Don’t,” I interrupt gently. “You have to promise you won’t let your previous feelings on Justin influence this conversation,” I order.

He rolls his eyes. “Fine. Elaborate.”
I shrug. “There isn’t much to elaborate on. He’s going back to his album, he can’t work from Tennessee, I either go with him or I don’t.” I give another shrug.

“But…” his eyes widen in indignation. “But…your job! Your friends! What does he expect you to do about all these things?”

“Give them up, I suppose.”

“And are you going to do that?” he asks, lowering his voice so to not attract any attention.

“Well that’s my problem,” I fume, running a hand through my hair. “On the one hand, I have Justin, who I love and would do almost anything for. But on the other…I have my career, my life. I can’t just give those up to suit him, can I?”

“No,” says Sean forcefully. “You worked too hard to be where you are to just give it up for some little boy with a high voice.”

“Sean!” I reprimand him. “I told you, this isn’t an outlet for all your Justin-hate. Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned it--” I begin, turning away slightly.

“Alright, alright. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to get carried away.” He holds up his hands in defense. “I’ll not say it again.”

Facing him again, I drop my head into my hands. “But do you really think that? Do you really think it’s too risky?”

“Yes,” he says firmly. “Cat, if you go with him, then…then I don’t know you as well as I thought I did.”

Lifting my head from my hands, I frown at him. “What do you mean?”

“You’ve made this mistake once, right?” Sean vaguely guesses. We never really talked about past relationships, but he’s dimly aware of the Matthew situation. After my nod, he continues. “So why would you do it again? Honestly, why would you put yourself through that when you know the consequences?”

“Because…um…” I flounder helplessly, suddenly feeling as though I’m being interrogated by my mother for raiding the cookie jar. “Well, I lov…care about him.” Out of respect for Sean, I don’t feel the need to flaunt the strength of my feelings for Justin.

“So?” says Sean, as though this bears no significance. He leans forward, and it strikes me how bothered he seems to be getting about this. “Alright Cat, put these three things in order of importance; your career, children or marriage.”

Immediately, I know it’s a trick. Sean and I used to discuss how ridiculous some people were. Ruining their lives by getting too involved in high school romances and ending up bypassing college or an education, people always seemed to realize what they need too late. I always wanted children and marriage at one point in my life, and whilst I didn’t want to head down the single career bitch road and end up a spinster with fifty cats, I knew marrying young and ending up with seven children at twenty wasn’t for me. There were other things I had to do before.

“Career first, obviously,” I mumble.

Exactly,” says Sean triumphantly, slapping his knee. “So why would you cross your morals by putting Justin before your job?”

“I could get another job,” I suggest, suddenly feeling very small. “It’s not as though there aren’t any newspapers in the cities.”

“But you have no guarantee.”

“Let’s say I don’t go, and Justin for some reason decides he won’t move unless I do, isn’t that me doing the same thing to him? Aren’t I jeopardizing his career as much as he is mine?”

Sean pauses. “Maybe.”

“And let’s face it, if it weren’t for me, Justin probably would have returned to work a long time ago.”

Sean leans back and sends me a disapproving look. “Don’t let him guilt you into going, Cat.”

“He wouldn’t, I’m just saying…” I trail off and tiredly rub my eyes.

“I’m not trying to make you feel bad, I just don’t want to see you making a decision you might later regret,” he says sympathetically, the edge coming off his voice. “You’re a clever girl, I don’t want to see you waste that for him,” he mutter spitefully.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” I admit. “Maybe I’m too young to stay in the same place for such a long time, don’t you think? I’ve never actually lived in any big cities. It could be a good experience for me.”

“That’s the only reason I would suggest you go with Justin,” says Sean. “Other than that, I think you’d be giving up an awful lot.”

“Well, anyway…he mentioned it to me at lunch and I completely overreacted on him. Before he could even say a thing I was already running over his words with insults.” Placing my head in my hands regretfully, I mumble, “Why am I such a bitch?”

“Being a bitch pays off,” says a voice, causing me to lift my head and frown in confusion. Before me stands a stressed intern, his hair ruffled and messy, as though he’s run his hands through it a few times. “Mr. K said that the political thing you were going to do has been given to Stacey because he’s worried you’ll piss people off.”

“Me?” I feign shock. “Piss people off? My writing isn’t that controversial.”

“After that thing you said about that catholic church, just be happy you didn’t get shot.”

I shrug. “Anyway, he’s taking the article away?”

“Well, Stacey hasn’t done much work lately so he’s just reassigning it.”

“So can I go home?” I ask, my hand already inching towards my purse.

“Yup. It’s almost time for you to leave anyway,” the intern replies, shooting a quick look over at the clock.

“Great. Could you give these to Stacey please?” I ask, thrusting the research papers into his hands without waiting for a reply. “Thank you.”

The intern mutters something and quickly runs off as I slide on my coat over my black blouse, briefly checking my watch to see the time.

“You’re going to go home now?” says Sean incredulously.

“I may as well,” I reply, leaning over to switch off my unused computer. “I’ll just sit here and get worried if I don’t leave. The sooner we talk and get things sorted out, the better.”

“Have you decided whether you’re going or not?”

“Not a clue,” I mumble miserably, looping my scarf around my neck.

“I’m sure you’ll make the right choice,” says Sean, handing me my bag with a hopeful glint in his eye. “I would really miss you if you left.”

I didn’t know how to reply to him. Feeling uncomfortable under his gaze of buried and yet still there feelings and concern, I try to look everywhere except his face. I know there are still feelings for me underneath the surface, and perhaps even seeds of hope that we will get back together. He’s dated around a bit, getting a reputation as the greatest catch in the office, but nothing’s ever lasted. If he at least had a steady girlfriend I wouldn’t feel so guilty, or could at least feel comfortable in the fact that he was moving on.

“I’ll just do whatever I feel is best,” I reply, thinking that is the best answer I can give him.

Before he begins to tell me exactly what he feels the best choice is, I blurt out a goodbye and rush out of the office, leaving all of Sean and his opinions behind me.

-----

The house is silent when I enter, which immediately unsettles me. Justin and Trace are usually in the game room, cursing like troopers as they battle it out on one of the consoles, or in the kitchen making a mess as they try to cook dinner, or even in the back yard talking about gardening in low voices so that no one can hear them talking about something so ‘unmanly’.

“You’re back early,” calls Trace from the living room.

I walk in, taking off my scarf and jacket on the way. “I know. There was basically no work for me to do, so I thought I’d just come home.”

Trace nods as I fold my clothes over my arm awkwardly, remembering he had been in the middle, literally, of me and Justin’s heated debate. “Where’s Justin?”

“He went up for a shower.”

“Is he alright? I think I was a bit harsh on him,” I admit, watching Trace channel flick without much interest.

He shrugs. “You both had valid points.”

“Is he upstairs?” I ask, pointing towards the staircase with my finger.

Trace nods. “He got a little frazzled with your argument and he thought he should at least look good when you two talked it out, so he took a shower.”

I laugh, hanging up my coat in the hall closet and tossing my purse to the side. “I’d better go up and face the music, huh?”

“Made any decisions yet?” says Trace hopefully.

“No,” I mumble. “I’m so sick of making decisions, though. First it was Justin or Sean, now it’s this.”

“Well, you made the right choice last time, didn’t you?”

I fall silent, capturing very faint wisps of song. Justin is no doubt singing a wonderful collection of pop classics up in his shower as he cleans himself. He always sings in the shower, and occasionally dances, no matter how much I tell him it’s dangerous.

“Yes, yes I did,” I reply, smiling softly. Turning to the stairs, the smile becomes less bright. “I’m not trying to be a bitch here, Trace,” I explain, turning to him. “I’m just not the kind of person to give everything up for a guy.”

“I know,” he replies simply. “But this is Justin, Cat. He wouldn’t ask you unless he thought it was worth it.”

“I know,” I reply softly, his words playing on my mind as I slowly took the stairs one at a time.

Gently easing our bedroom doors open, I can’t stop the chuckle of laughter that escapes my mouth as the sound of Justin’s singing strengthens. I lean against the door, trying to pinpoint the song. I think it’s ‘Ain’t No Sunshine When She’s Gone’, but with Justin, you never know, because he constantly throws in “Oh yeah, babaaay” and “Do wop do dee do” amongst the lyrics.

Deciding to wait until he’s out to make my presence known, I flop down on the bed, noting with some pleasure that Justin had made it. Presumably in an attempt to get into my good books, but it was a nice gesture nonetheless.

Feeling a rustle of paper underneath me, I frown and arch my back to feel underneath me. My fingers come into contact with some papers, and I pull them out to take a look at them. It looked like something printed off the internet, with various search engines at the top, with phrases like “newspapers in New York” or “publishing in California area” in them. Beneath this searches were lists of newspapers, with occasional ones highlighted with circles Justin must have done himself.

It must have taken him ages to find all this stuff. As I sifted through the pages, the searches got more specific, and Justin’s markings more advanced. He crossed out the tabloid ones, knowing a job at the National Enquirer is that last thing I would want. He circled companies with available positions, and put stars next to ones with higher salaries or kinder working hours. He had looked up all of this. For me. It made me want to cry.

Suddenly, the bathroom door opened and Justin, still humming an Al Green song, strolled into the bedroom, a pale pink towel wrapped around his otherwise naked body. My eyes unconsciously start to intently focus on the rippling muscles reflecting the light, admiring the thin sheen of water from his shower still on his chest. His hair, still damp, is at the point where he’s threatening to cut it because it’s past an inch and a half long, so it’s not too long, but it’s just long enough for me to want to run my fingers through it.

By emerging from the bathroom half dressed and wet, he just made this situation ten times harder. It’s so much more difficult to concentrate on my anger when he’s looking quite so gorgeous. It’s sort of like when you go on a diet and you try to convince yourself that all processed food is digusting, but McDonalds start doing a buy one get one free deal on the same day and you end up buying ten Big Macs.

“Cat!” he exclaims, as he jumps at the sight of me. “Sweetheart, what are you doing back so early?”

“Got off work early,” I reply simply, putting down the bundle of sheets and trying very hard to tear my eyes away from Justin’s stomach. “I wanted to apologize for blowing up at you earlier on.”

“It doesn’t matter,” he waves off, not bothering to keep one hand securing his towel in place. If that towel falls off, I will not be held responsible for my actions. “Now that we’ve both calmed down, we can talk about it rationally.”

“Right,” I agree, wondering whether he can see I was staring at his chest throughout his entire speech. It really isn’t fair of him to be so naked when I’m trying to think straight. He clearly has an advantage already.

“Alright, let’s talk,” he says, leisurely lying down on the bed, propping his head up with his hand.

Jesus, why am I not having sex with this man 24/7? Did I not see his body before today? “Well Justin…um, yes, well, you know that my main concerns are, er…” I can actually smell him from over here. The overpowering scent of coconut from the lotions in the bathroom hits me as he lies opposite me, that adorably sexy clean smell just pouring out of him and wafting straight over to my sexually aroused senses.

He looks at me curiously. “Is something wrong? You look a little flushed.”

Well no wonder. I’m sure if he had some half naked girl in front of him he’d get a little hot. “Am I?” I question innocently, pressing my hand to my warm cheek.

“Yeah, you look a bit…hot.”

Well guess what, you look extremely hot. Especially now that you’re sitting up and leaning forward in a concerned way, so that your face is now all caring and sexy.

This is going to be one long talk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn’t expecting to see Cat sitting on our bed when I came out of the shower. I thought I had a little more time to perfect my begging speech in which she forgave me for shouting at her at lunch time and also said she’d move to the moon if I asked her. I had already started to try to look good by talking a shower and using all the nice body scent stuff that she loves to smell.

But she got back from work early. Perhaps it’s for the best. This way, we won’t bullshit each other, we’ll just be honest and tell each other how we feel. But she can go first.

“I’m not hot, I’m just…” she trails off and shrugs, one finger attacking her hair and raveling strands of hair around her finger. Doesn’t she seem a little nervous?

“Anyway, what did you want to say?”

“Oh yes, right, of course,” she rambles, bending her head down and hiding her face as her brown hair tumbles in front of it. But even behind the curtain of waves, I can see her eyes steal a quick glance at chest.

Ah, I see. Let's hope my choice to remain scantily clad will influence her decision for the better. “I was talking with Sean about this, and--”

“What?!” I screech, shocking her with the volume of my protest as any 'I'm so sexy' thoughts fled from my head. She talked to Sean about this? Jesus, why don’t I just pay her to dump me. Going to Sean for advice when she was in doubt of our relationship would be like going up to Hitler and saying, ‘Hey, those Jews, what did you think of them?’ I can’t believe she spoke to that stupid twinkly eyed turd about our relationship. All my hopes are ruined.

“Don’t worry, he was perfectly democratic.”

“Was he?” I snort disbelievingly.

She rolls her eyes at me and carries on as though nothing had been said. “I just wanted you to realize what I would have to give up to move. I’ve lived here for almost five years, and in that time I’ve gotten a job, a few friends I won’t just be able to wave goodbye to, and a lifestyle that I’ve grown accustomed to. You can’t just expect me to throw that all up in the air,” she says in an exasperated tone.

“I know what I’m asking of you is a lot, Cat. I truly appreciate the fact you’ve lived here for quite a while now, and that leaving it hasn’t seemed a priority, but I’m just asking you to consider it. You’ve never liked Tennessee that much anyway, and this would be your chance to travel, try new things.” She gives me a feeble shrug. “You always say living in the south is like living the life you’re going to lead when you’re in retirement, but you could leave all of that for a trendier lifestyle with more to do for younger people. Christ Cat, you’re twenty two. When was the last time we went to a club?”

“I just don’t like clubs,” she defends.

“Well, when did we last go out for drinks at a nice bar? When were we last able to go sightseeing? When was the last time there was excitement in this town? Don’t make yourself old before you have to, Cat.”

“Justin, that is not what I’m worried about,” she says. “I’m more worried about going out to some strange place and not being able to find a job, or breaking up with you and being left on my own, unable to support myself. Not to mention the fact we’re far more susceptible to the press.”

I shrug helplessly. “That would happen anywhere.”

“The media is just one small nuisance in the face of far more worrying things. What if I couldn't get a job?"

I snort. “You could find a job easily, and if you couldn’t, then I could always give you a job. In fact, if you weren’t working, then that would make it a lot easier for me to take you with me if I went on tour. That way you’re being productive, but we get to spend time together.”

“Doing what?” she huffs, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I don’t know,” I shrug, readjusting my towel and immediately attracting her gaze to my lower half. “There are always odd jobs like sewing, or…what?”

A horrified expression had crossed her face. “Oh, it’s nothing,” she says sarcastically. “I just can’t believe I’m being given the liberty of sewing.” She lets out a snort and tosses her hair over her shoulder. “Honestly Justin, what is this? 1942? Get the little lady to make a nice tapestry whilst you go out and earn the bacon?”

I roll my eyes. “I didn’t mean it like that. It was just a casual, offhand suggestion.” Although, it was kind of sexist, now I think about it. “My point is, I understand your career is important to you--”

“Very important to me,” she stresses.

“Yes, very important, but so is mine to me. I know I wouldn’t be able to do an album without you Cat.” Reaching out, I gently touch her hand. “I need your support, otherwise I won’t be able to do this,” I whisper, knowing I sound a lot more vulnerable than I wish I was.

“You have my support,” she say quietly. “There are just a lot of things that could potentially go wrong.”

"It wouldn't be our relationship if things didn't."

She smiles slightly, nodding her head in agreement.

“And no matter what happens, if the papparazzi get on our case or you can't find a job, we’ll always have each other to fall back on,” my grip on her hand tightens reassuringly. “And I got some information for you about some newspapers…” I begin, looking around the covers for my stack of papers.

“I know, I got them,” she says, holding up the papers.

“Look, here are the ones that are accepting employees at the moment,” I say, the desperation in my voice not as hidden as I wished it was as I point to the pages. “And these are the ones that balance pressing issues with gossip, which I thought you’d like better than straight gossip or straight spreadsheet,” I ramble helplessly, pointing at the random sheets.

“I know,” she says gently, placing a hand to steady my rapidly moving arm. “I can see you put a lot of effort into those. It was really sweet of you to look these up for me.”

“Cat, I’m never going to leave you in the dark,” I reply, putting the papers to the side and inching forward slightly. “I care about you and your feelings, and I wouldn’t put us at a risk by just throwing us out there.” I shrug. “If this broke us up Cat, then it would be the end of something great.”

“It’s not going to break us up,” she says softly, looking down at the research I found. She sighs. “Alright, I’ll do it.”

My eyes widen with surprise as my heart jumps for joy. “Are you being serious?”

She smiles and nods.

“Oh my god Cat, this is so fucking amazing! You’re so fucking amazing!” I scream happily, running around to her side of the bed to pick her up and swing her around, much to her protest.

“Justin, put me down!” she squeals as I place two feet firmly on the floor. “Don’t get too excited, okay? This is just going to be the beginning of a long line of problems,” she warns, wagging her finger at me.

“Fine!” I declare happily. “We’ll make it through the rain, hot stuff,” I say happily, grabbing her hand and leading her around a crazy waltz in the room. “We’re going to live happily ever after.”

She laughs, holding onto my tightly as I spin us around the room. “Just be warned, Timberlake, if I don’t get a job or you screw something up, I’ll crucify you.”

“You’ll get a job super fast, and I won’t do a thing,” I promise, dipping her down in the classic dance pose.

“I know you won’t," she says, clinging onto my neck as my hands support her back. "And I know you love me, and you know I love you. But for God’s Sake, put some clothes on.”
Chapter 9 by Teeny
“I’m sorry, I just feel that it’s time for a change,” I explain meekly, my hands twisting nervously in my lap in an attempt to keep them away from diving into my hair and creating a Rastafarian look with all the twisting.

“No, I understand,” replies Mr. Karter, leaning back in the black leather chair teetering on its wheels. “We’ll be sorry to see you go, Catherine.”

“And I’ll be sorry to leave,” I hastily add. “I just…” Without even realizing it, I was about to repeat my “It’s just time for a change” line all over again. “I just…I hope I’m able to find such enjoyable work in New York.” I’m such a kiss ass.

“You will,” he says calmly, idly balancing a pen on its tip. “You have a very punchy writing style that is more suited to the city. I think you were somewhat stifled here.”

I shrug. “I wouldn’t say I was stifled. I very much enjoyed my time here.”

“Well,” he says briskly, leaning forward in his chair and bringing it back onto the floor securely, “I wish you all the best, Miss Saunders.”

“Thank you,” I smile and stand up to reach across the desk to have my hand gripped in a formidable shake for at least ten seconds.

“So is Friday your last working day?”

My eyes widen slightly. “Oh…well, I can work for at least two weeks from here. I was just telling you in advance.”

“So when were you planning to leave?”

Jeez, you don’t have to push. Why don’t you just clear my desk for me? “Whenever,” I spit with slightly more viciousness than necessary.

He chuckles slightly, the corners of his eyes crinkling. “I didn’t mean to sound forceful, it’s just so I know when we have to find a replacement.”

“Oh,” I mutter bashfully. “Well, ideally, I’d be working right up until I leave, but I think…” My eyes fly through the glass separator to where Sean sits, calmly tapping away at his computer. “I think personal issues may force me to leave earlier.”

He follows my gaze and smiles. “Yes, Sean will be very sad to see you go.”

My heart jolts at his words. “Excuse me?”

“He was in my office a few days ago discussing a feature and seemed rather agitated. I thought it might have something to do with you.”

“He’ll be very disappointed in me,” I shrug, feeling a wave of guilt sweep over me. “He thinks I’m leaving for all the wrong reasons.”

Mr. Karter coughs uncomfortably and I realize we’re getting into rather personal grounds. “Well, why don’t you organize your affairs and then we can speak about your departure again later in the week?”

I nod and put a hand on the doorknob. “Okay. Thank you for your time.”

“No problem,” he tosses over his shoulder, bending down to search through some files. Why is it the moment I mention I might be quitting he suddenly starts to like me?

Shutting the glass door behind me, I slowly approach me and Sean’s cubicle. Sean stops his typing to look up at me and smile.

“So what did he want?” he asks, leaning back in his chair and scraping a hand through his straight hair.

“Um…” My fingers twist the front piece of my hair. “Nothing important.” I hastily bend down to pick up my purse so he won’t spy my guilty eyes. “Do you want to go to lunch? I really want to talk to you.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Impatiently listening to the monotonous ringing for the last time, I groan and click the off button on my cell phone.

“Is she still not picking up?” asks Trace, turning around and straining in his seatbelt.

“Nope,” I reply, tossing my phone on the dashboard. “She must have gone out for lunch with someone else.”

“Have you tried her office?”

“Yup, but no one picked up. Not even my best friend Sean,” I mutter sarcastically, whirling the steering wheel round to take a left. “I hope she’s okay,” I mumble anxiously, taking one hand off the wheel to adjust my rear view mirror. “She’s supposed to be talking to her boss today.”

“Oh yeah?” says Trace, gazing out of the window at the shivering pedestrians walking by.

“Yeah. Fingers crossed he doesn’t give her a hard time.”

Trace nods and we lull into a silence, our eyes darting around the streets in search of a good restaurant. “Hey,” Trace says suddenly, tapping the window. “Isn’t that Cat’s car?”

Leaning over to peer out of his window, I slowly nod as I see Cat’s Volkswagen Beetle stationed in a small restaurant’s parking lot. “Yeah, it is. Let’s go in,” I suggest, making the decision more or less without Trace’s consent as I pull the car up to the restaurant.

“No, Justin, let’s not. She’ll probably be with her friends from work.”

“So?”

“We shouldn’t disturb her. And I don’t even like sushi,” Trace pouts, pointing up to the sign.

“Stop whining, bitch,” I laugh, opening my door and hearing Trace mutter a few disgruntled words under his breath as he hops out of the passenger’s seat.

Calmly putting my keys into the pocket of my pants, I open the door of the restaurant and keep it held for Trace as he continues to grumble.

“I mean, what is the advantage of raw fish? Would you eat raw poultry? Would you go to KFC and ask them to give you a bucket of uncooked flesh? No, so why would anyone--”

“Oh my god,” I whisper, cutting Trace short.

“What?” he questions, following my gaze to look for the instigator of my outburst.

Cat and Sean sit huddled together in a dark corner of the restaurant, deep in conversation. She nods at what he says and lets out a little laugh, as though he was her boyfriend…

What the hell is going on? Cat was only saying a few days ago that she was actually beginning to dislike Sean. She said he was too judgmental and close-minded, but she didn’t really expand on it and when I asked about it, she just got pissed. I think it had something to do with me, but she probably just didn’t want to make me feel bad about it. I didn’t mind in the slightest, of course. She had found a flaw in Sparkly Eyes’ personality; I couldn’t have been happier.

So what is she doing with him? How long have these cozy lunch dates been going on for? I can picture it all perfectly…a stressful day recording hard-hitting news, flirtatious comments being exchanged over the buzz of computers, accidental touches, little “brushes of the hand” as he tenderly gives her her morning cup of hot chocolate…all leading up to little lunch appointments and rendezvous’ in the copying room when they think no one’s watching…

“She’s cheating on me!” I exclaim in a hushed tone. It’s like having my gut brutally ripped out of my stomach to just see them together.

Trace snorts, his voice teasing. “Justin, are auditioning for some soap opera role or something?”

“This isn’t funny, Trace!” I snap, feeling a churning sensation in my stomach as Cat sips her wine delicately. I was about to march up to the table and scream obscenities at them both, but Trace calmly puts a hand on my shoulder, holding me back.

“Sure it is,” he grins, casting an eye over the rest of the quiet restaurant. “All she’s doing is having an innocent lunch with a co-worker, and already you’ve dreamt up a six week affair in your mind.”

“Do you think it’s been going on that long?” I cry, moving behind a plant slightly so that I can spy on them.

“Justin!” Trace snaps, delivering a heavy punch to my shoulder. “Calm the hell down! You don’t know what you’re talking about!”

“Trace, look at them!” I justify, pointing an accusing finger in their direction. “They look like a couple!”

“So do we,” Trace snorts.

“Now is not the time for gay jokes!” I retort, moving a leaf slightly to get a better view of the them. “Do you think they’ve slept together?”

“Justin, do you know how crazy you sound?”

“I should have known. She was complaining about Sean…it must have been to throw me off the scent…” I think aloud, trying to pinpoint every Sean comment Cat’s made in the last few days.

“Justin!” Trace barks incredulously. “I’m going to have to slap you if you don’t calm the fuck down! He’s her co-worker, for God’s Sake. Of course they’ll have lunch together sometimes.”

“But why doesn’t she answer her cell phone? She must be ignoring me!”

“Justin, seriously,” says Trace sternly, jerking me to face him. “You may think you’re quite the detective, but it’s really annoying.”

“Do you think I should try calling her again? You know, to see whether she ignores it when she sees it’s me?”

“Justin, I could truly kill you right…” he trails of mid-sentence and frowns, staring over my shoulder. “Hey, what’s wrong with her?”

Spinning around, I squint to see Cat’s facial expression become exasperated and she shakes her hands about wildly, as though she’s defending herself. Sean replies, his face set in a frown as he angrily jabs the table with his finger. Cat closes her eyes and leans back in her chair, biting her lip as though she’s about to cry.

“What’s he said to her?” I whisper behind my plant, seeing Cat’s watery eyes avert their direction to the window, staring at the small gaggle of cars.

“Whatever it was, it upset her,” Trace replies, frowning as he stares at them. “Stupid bastard.”

“But what could they be talking about?” I question, pulling a branch up and trying to get a better view. “She looks really upset.”

“Probably how they’re going to break the news to you that they’re getting married.”

My eyes widen and I try to stifle a cry as Trace laughs. “Just kidding…but at least we know she’s not cheating on you, because she sure as hell isn’t having a good time.” He begins to giggle like some stupid little schoolgirl. “Oh man, you were being such a fool…”

Punching him in the shoulder, I scowl. “It’s a biological reaction to think of the worst when you see your girlfriend with her slimy ex. It’s natural.”

“And it’s natural for you to jump to conclusions and act like a drama queen…Remember when it was a little windy last week and you said there was going to be a tornado? Man, you were such a--”

Suddenly, Sean slams his hands on the table, making their glasses shake and Cat jump back in surprise as Trace stops mid-sentence. He begins to say something to her, running his hands through his hair in exasperation, and to my great horror, I see a tear roll down Cat’s cheek.

“Oh my god!” Trace gasps as Cat quickly wipes it away. “What is he saying to her?”

“Oh, no fucking way,” I say, pushing the plant out of my way and shrugging Trace’s protective hand off me. “I’m going to kill him.”

Trace doesn’t even attempt to stop me as I weave in and out of the tables, heading towards the corner of the restaurant to where Sean and Cat sit. My blood begins to boil as they continue to talk, Cat defensively shaking her head and inching back in her seat slightly with a timid look on her face.

No one, and I mean no one, intimidates my girlfriend, or ever worse, makes her cry. Especially not some southern kid who thinks he can get through life by using big words.

It’s about time I gave Sean the ass-whooping I’ve always wanted to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I just don’t understand sushi,” I laugh, my eyes grazing over the hard-to-pronounce names such as Oshi-Zushi or Nigiri-Zushi. I don’t want to sound uncultured, but what the hell?

Sean smiles. “It grew on me when I traveled to Japan a few years ago.”

He went to Japan? The most interesting place I’ve been was France when I was twelve, but I got flu and ended up strapped to a bed with a red nose that would rival that of Rudolph’s. “Oh really?” I pause, trying to use this as a hand to guide us into the topic of moving and exploring new horizons. “Traveling is, um…good, isn’t it?” Oh, fantastic opening, Cat.

He glances up from his menu and raises an eyebrow at me. “Yes, I suppose it is.”

“I think traveling is very important in the maturing of a person’s being, don’t you think so?”

“Definitely. Hey look, we could get raw squid.”

For someone so smart, it’s taking him quite a while to catch on. “I think I need to travel more, wouldn’t you say so?” I push desperately, ready to slap the menu over Sean’s handsome head if he doesn’t pick up on one of my clues.

He looks up to see me gripping the table tightly, staring at him intently. “Are you alright?”

“Oh Jesus,” I mumble, leaning back in my chair and running a hand over my eyes in frustration. “Fine, thank you,” I smile weakly.

He puts the menu down carefully, frowning at me. “Are you sure? What was it that you wanted me to talk about?”

“Um…” Why can’t I just tell him? Just say as proudly as I can, ‘I’m leaving Tennessee to follow Justin around as he makes some weird album about love and self discovery’ or whatever pop stars sing about nowadays.

“Cat, is something wrong?” he asks, reaching across and patting my hand.

“I’m leaving,” I blurt out, causing him to frown.

“What?”

Staring at him for a moment, I slowly admit, “With Justin.”

A brief look of surprise crosses his face, before it fades into slight pain, as though I’ve just slapped him. “Really?” he whimpers in a wounded voice.

“Yeah,” I reply, my eyes darting around nervously. Looking at the faux Japanese decorations hanging all over the restaurant is far more interesting than staring into his hurt eyes. He looks like some little kid who has just been told that The Smurfs were actually a drug dealing Mafia group set out to corrupt children.

“Why?” he asks.

Sighing, I lean over and take a sip of wine, my throat suddenly feeling parched. “Because I love him,” I admit. “And I need to do this.”

“What? Just because he asked you to?” Sean spits angrily, his hurt looking being replaced by a deep frown. “Shit Cat, I didn’t know you were stupid.”

“I’m not stupid,” I whimper pathetically, staring down at the flower designs on the table cloth.

“Then why are you doing this? Are you going to stop working completely?”

I vehemently shake my head quickly. “No, of course not,” I reply exasperatedly. “I plan to look for work just as soon as I can.” I sound like some little chubby kid asked whether they’ve stolen anything from the candy store. Why is Sean making me feel so small?

“And what if that doesn’t work out? What if you just become another stupid stay-at-home girlfriend whilst Justin goes out and fucks random models?”

I lean back in my seat, staring out of the window as I bite my lip to stop myself from crying. Sean sure does know how to pick on someone’s sore spots. Of course that’s what I’m worried about, that’s my chief concern, but everyone has told me I’m just being paranoid and that Justin loves me, blah, blah. Sean is the only person to confirm my doubts. Thanks a lot, pal.

My eyes land on a shiny black Escalade in the parking lot. Justin has one exactly like it. He spent at least an hour talking about how it had a “banging stereo system” and then took me on this off-road adventure over some bumpy terrain he and Trace have been riding on since they were kids. It was petrifying, especially as Justin decided to do ‘wobblies’ every now and then and would veer in a different direction just to scare me.

But it was fun. I have no sense of adventure in my at all, but Justin always seems to drag me out to do things that under normal circumstances I would never do, but then I end up enjoying it. The same must apply for New York, right? And it’s nothing something he’s forcing me into, it’s something I’ve thought about and decided that yes, it is something I want to do. I wish Sean could just appreciate that.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” I reply as calmly as I can.

Sean sighs, taking a drink of his beer. “Look, Cat, I’m sorry. I know you must hate me for telling you this, and I know I seem like the bad guy. It’s just…” he trails off before suddenly bringing his hands down on the table with a crash, causing me to flinch. “Fuck!” he whispers so other diners won’t hear us, putting his head in his hands.

“Sean, you’re supposed to be my friend!” I say defensively. “You can’t just jump down my throat because you don’t like Justin.”

“But you know what the consequences could be, Cat. You know what sort of life he leads, and I would hate to see you wasted on it.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re so much better than him!” He sighs, running a hand through his hair. “And I really don’t want you to get hurt, Cat,” he says gently, his green eyes staring into mine.

Before I can help myself, a lone tear slips from my eyes and smoothly rolls down my cheek. “He won’t hurt me, Sean.”

“How do you know that?”

I shrug. “I have no guarantees, but I know he won’t. We love each other.”

“But is that enough?” prods Sean.

A shadow falls over our table and we turn to look at the person standing by our table, expecting to see some bored teenaged waitress with a kimono waiting to take our order.

You can only imagine my surprise when I saw a fuming Justin and Trace standing over our table.

“Justin!” I screech in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

Justin ignores me and his contemptuous gaze settles on Sean. Trace reaches out and puts a hand on my shoulder.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” I mutter distractedly, looking over at the steady eye contact between Sean and Justin. “Justin, what are you doing here?”

“I think you and I need to have a little talk,” he says through gritted teeth, not even giving me a second glance as Sean stares defiantly back at him.

“About what? The fact you’re ruining your girlfriend’s career?”

Wrong thing to say, Sean. “She’s with me now, get over it,” Justin retorts harshly. “Stop trying to make her feel like she’s making the wrong decisions, because she‘s not.”

Sean pauses, before closing his eyes momentarily and pinching the bridge of his nose. “Alright, I’m sorry. But how can you expect me to just sit and watch as she gives up everything for you?”

“She’s not giving up everything! She’s making a few adjustments that for all you know, could benefit her!” Justin comes back with, crossing his arms over his chest. “And anyway, she’s made her choice, so that’s that.”

Sean grunts and takes a swig of his beer. “So then why are you here?”

“To tell you to back the fuck off,” snaps Justin angrily. “You of all people have no right to upset my girlfriend.”

“I’m not upset,” I interrupt quickly. “I’m just fine.”

Justin turns to me, as if realizing for the first time that I’m even there. “Are you alright, sweetheart? What did he say to you?” he asks, crouching down and rubbing my arm comfortingly, looking at me with sincere blue eyes.

“I’m fine. I think you and Trace should leave,” I suggest quietly, noticing the glances of the people in the restaurant.

“But he made you cry!” he says, sending me an outraged look.

“I asked for his opinion, and he was fully entitled to express it,” I reply calmly, my heart fluttering nervously at the thought of a bust up between the two men.

Justin pauses for a moment, a look of annoyance flickering in his eyes. As much as I know he would love to pummel Sean, I don’t think that’s fair when I fully expected a negative response from him.

“But he made you cry,” Justin repeats adamantly. He crosses his arms over his chest and looks at Sean. “I’m not leaving until you at least apologize.”

“What is this, kindergarten?” scoffs Sean, imitating Justin’s actions and crossing his arms defiantly. “She knows I think she’s doing the wrong thing, I’ve not done anything except told her the honest truth.”

“You upset her.”

He shrugs. “And you don’t think what she’s doing is wrong?” He snorts. “No, of course you don’t, because you clearly only think about yourself.”

“Don’t talk to him like that!” I protest, frowning at Sean. I’ve never seen this side of him, and I don’t like it. He can be a little arrogant and won’t hesitate to persevere his point, but he’s never been this bad.

I know he might not agree with what I’m doing, but whatever I’ve done in the past Sean has always supported me. Glancing between them, I can see from the envious glare radiating from Sean his jealousy of Justin, and I know he’s made twice as angry for the simple fact that it’s Justin I’m sacrificing things for and not him.

“Sean, I’d better go,” I say quietly, bending down to pick up my purse. “I’ll call you, okay?” I will call him, one day, but I think the sooner I’m out of his sight the better.

“Cat,” he tugs at my elbow. “I’m sorry. I just…”
“No, don’t worry about it. I think we just need some time apart,” I reply, throwing down a few bills to pay for my drink. “Bye, Sean,” I say, bending down to drop a quick kiss on his cheek.

“Cat, I really am sorry,” he persists, standing up.

“I know,” I smile at him, before taking Justin’s hand and pulling him away from his protective stance. “Come on, you two, let’s go.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking another glance at her out of the corner of my eye, I tap my fingers worriedly on the steering wheel.

“So when are you going to pick up your stuff from the office?” I ask, breaking the silence.

Cat shrugs. “I have no idea.”

“Trace could pick it up for you,” I offer.

“That might be a better plan,” she mumbles, keeping her gaze transfixed on the scenery whizzing past her window.

“Will your boss mind you leaving early?”

She shrugs in response, resting her head against the cool glass of the window. “He seemed more than happy to let me go. And I can probably finish up anything left to work on at home.”

By the tone of her voice, you would think she’d just witnessed the death of her childhood pet. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” I continue, taking another glance at her. “You’re very quiet.”

“I have nothing to say,” she says simply, folding her hands in her lap.

“Okay, Cat,” I reply, suddenly pulling the car off the road and stopping just to the right of the road. “What’s wrong?”

“Justin, what the hell are you doing?” she panics, glancing behind us to see whether there are any cars about to crash into the back of us. “It’s ever so slightly illegal to just stop driving on a road.”

“I don’t care,” I brush off firmly, turning to face her. “I’m not moving this thing one inch until you stop shutting me out.”

“I’m not shutting you out!” she insists, anxiously checking the rearview mirror. “Can’t we talk when we get home?”

“No,” I reply simply, pulling the keys out of the ignition.

“Justin!”

“It’s your choice,” I shrug. “Either you drop the Ice Queen act, or we get taken from behind from another car.”

She frowns at my crudeness and folds her arms. “I’m fine, honestly.”

I roll my eyes and lean back in my seat. “Baby, is this that thing where you say you’re not pissed, but then you don’t talk to me for three days? Because I’m really not in the mood for that.”

“That just wasn’t my ideal goodbye to Sean, that’s all.”

“It wasn’t for me either. I missed my last chance to just hit the mother fucker,” I smirk.

“Justin, this isn’t funny!” she snaps. “You and Trace made things extremely awkward for me.”

“Cat, the guy was making you cry! You expect me to have just sat there and watched?”

She shrugs grumpily but doesn’t reply, a sure sign she knows I have a point.

“I was just trying to defend you and myself. He would have just carried on badmouthing me if I hadn’t turned up.”

She rolls her eyes. “So? I know for a fact you value Sean’s opinion about as much as you do Paris Hilton’s.” She shakes her head. “You two are so alike.”

“What?”

She lets out a frustrated groan and brandishes a hand to the road in front of us. “Let’s just drive.”

I cautiously place a hand on her lap, praying it doesn’t get smacked away. “Has it changed your mind about anything?”

She shakes her head. “No. That was exactly what I was expecting. He just a little harsher than I thought he’d be and…touched a few buttons, that’s all.”

“Such as?”

She shrugs and looks down at her hands. “You know…just how it’ll affect my career and us…” she trails off and bites her lips shyly.

Leaning over, I quickly press my lips against hers. “You don’t have a thing to worry about, sweetheart.”

She sighs. “I know, I know. I just can’t help but think about everything that could go wrong, and--”

“And what if things go right?” I interrupt. “You said you loved New York, you said your job was getting boring, and you said you loved me. What’s the problem?”

She finally relents and smiles. “There isn’t one.”

“Exactly,” I reply triumphantly, turning back to the wheel. “So, how are fabulous me and Sean the Shithead alike?”

“You are!” she exclaims, laughing. “You both try to be so macho around each other, and more often that not fail miserably.”

“Excuse me, but I am much more macho than that little pussy,” I retort, putting the keys in the ignition. “I bet if I had threatened to punch Sean, he would have squealed like the little bitch that he is.”

She laughs. “Justin, I hate to say it, but he’s more muscular than you are. He‘s probably stronger.”

“So? I could have the little bitch screaming for mercy,” I smile, reaching over and entwining out fingers together.

“Is that your new nickname for him? The Little Bitch?”

“Good idea. Yes,” I nod.

She laughs and leans over to quickly kiss my cheek. “And you’re my little bitch.”

“Hey, I’m your bodyguard,” I tease. “I was valiantly defending you in the face of…um…danger.”

She rolls her eyes jokingly. “Fine, I’ll call you my Little Bodyguard.”

“My big bodyguard,” I correct.

“Why big?” she asks.

Giving her hand a squeeze, I turn to look at her and wiggle my eyebrows suggestively. “As if you don’t know, my dear.”

She laughs and slaps my leg. “Dear God, let’s pray city life cools that enchanting ego of yours.”

“So you’re definitely still coming?”

She turns to me with a shocked expression in her eyes. “I never doubted it for a second.”

Smiling, I pat her leg affectionately. “That’s my girl.”
Chapter 10 by Teeny

Carefully balancing the box of cookies and three glasses in one hand and a bottle of Coke in the other, I cautiously open the door to mine and Justin’s bedroom, immediately setting the contents in my hand on the floor with relief.

As soon as I announced that I was going to go with them, Justin and Trace leapt into action, arguing over which was better, New York or Los Angeles, eventually settling on New York because apparently there were more “babes” there. Oh, and apparently some young producer lives there and it would just make things more convenient for Justin, but what does that matter when there are “babes” to take into consideration?

I was more than happy with the decision. I used to visit my uncle in New York every summer; it was my parents’ attempt to broaden my horizons and make me more streetwise, because apparently the mean streets of Beachwood, Ohio weren’t enough to tutor me in worldly matters. It worked though; when I was fourteen I told a mugger that I wouldn’t hand over my purse and simply turned to walk away. I don’t take bullshit now, and I didn’t take it then.

Justin apparently has some swish bachelor pad in New York, fully furnished and just waiting for him to move into it. I questioned whether this was a tad of a waste, just having property sitting unused, but he gave me the strangest look and said it was “normal”, before proceeding to list all the places he had homes. I swear to God that man gets more spoilt every day.

The only advantage is that we don’t have to worry about packing up all our stuff and shipping it up to the Big Apple, as Trace insists on calling it. The only things we need to take are clothes and a few items around the house, like paintings and photos, because everything is just waiting for us. So, when we woke up to a drizzly dreary weekend day, I suggested we do as much packing as possible. I had been working from home after the little scene in the restaurant, and it was driving me crazy not having anything to do.

Steadying the bottle, I frown. I left Justin and Trace messing around with tape and boxes, insulting each other’s wrapping technique as I hurried downstairs to answer the phone and root out some food. They, of course, were not taking anything seriously, and the room had been full of shouts and abuse.

However, when I reenter the room, it is unnervingly silent and someone has drawn the curtains, plunging the room into darkness. “Hello?” I say loudly. I couldn’t feel more stupid if I tried.

A faint giggle breaks the silence and I roll my eyes. Whatever game Justin and Trace are playing, it’s not funny.

Suddenly, a dark figure jumps from behind a box. “Intruder!” it screams, before rolling on the floor towards the other box and jumping behind it.

Dear God, what have the idiots done now? “Alert, alert!” a high pitched voice shouts, followed by a series of noises that I presume are meant to sound like gun shots. “Pow, pow, pow!”

Shaking my head and sighing, I reach over and flick the light switch, bathing the room with light. Two boxes are set up in the corners with Justin and Trace sitting behind one, pointing golf clubs at me.

“Commander, we have an intruder,” says Trace in a robotic voice. “Possibly female. I repeat, we have an intruder. Do you copy, commander?”

“I copy, T-Unit,” replies Justin into his hand. He makes a crackly noise. “Intruder could be armed, I repeat…intruder could be armed!”

“Justin, shut the hell up,” I mutter, rolling my eyes and advancing towards them, ready to pull their box away from them.

The golf clubs obstruct my path. “Do not come any closer, I am holding…a weapon!”

“What the hell is that on your head? And your face, for that matter?” I smirk, taking in the sight of their haphazardly tied bandanas and brown stripes on their cheekbones. “Did you boys get into my make up kit?” I joke, looking dubiously at the suspiciously eye shadow-esque powder on their cheeks.

“Yeah,” chuckles Justin, lowering the club. “We wanted to look like warriors and the bandanas looked stupid on their own.”

“Oh, because with the war paint they look fantastic,” I retort sarcastically. “What have you guys been doing?”

“We made a fort,” replies Trace, squinting as he aims the club at me. “And we are trying to reclaim no man’s land.”

“What’s no man’s land?”

“The area between these two boxes and the door,” explains Justin, adjusting his bandana. “You can either be an enemy, or an ally.”

Looking back at the box of cookies and soda, I shrug. “Well, people on my team get food.”

“She has…” Trace makes an odd coughing noise into his hand, sounding like a faulty radio transmitter. “Provisions! Do you copy, commander?”

“I copy. Let her in,” they move the box to the side and grin at me, looking like two five-year-olds playing soldiers. Which they are, if you consider their mental age.

“So, I’m guessing you got a lot of packing done when I was on the phone, then?”

They shrug sheepishly. “Not really,” answers Justin, beaming at me.

I let out a laugh, running my thumb along the streak of brown on his cheek, brushing the powder on my pants. “Okay guys, game over. You can play tomorrow.”

Trace jumps up, pulling the bandana from his head and tossing it to the side. “We’ve been playing that game for twenty years now,” he says proudly, looking at the two ‘forts’.

“Oh, so you’ve been this stupid for that long?” I giggle, holding out a hand for Justin to tug as he stands up.

“All little boys play soldiers.”

“But you’re not a little boy anymore, are you Justin?”

He shrugs and smiles. “My inner child couldn’t help it.”

Rolling my eyes, I turn back to my closet, pulling down a shoebox. “It never can, dear. Can you guys come and help me please?”

“What’s in that?” Justin asks, pointing towards the shoebox I had just hauled from the shelf.

“Boyfriend stuff,” I shrug, peering into it. “Mainly stuff from Matthew. I thought I’d thrown that out, actually,” I frown, scratching my head.

“Oh,” says Justin, in a tone suggesting he’s less than happy about me keeping memoirs of my old boyfriends around the house. “What’s in it?”

“Stupid girl stuff,” I reply, shuffling through the box’s contents. “Letters, diaries, our plane tickets out of Ohio.” I smile in memory of all the good times I had with him, before replacing the box’s lid.

“What was he like?” Justin asks, kneeling next to me and looking into the box.

I shrug. “He was a little too sweet for me. Very romantic, very idealistic. Sort of like how you get after you’ve watched Oprah,” I smile. “But he was a good first boyfriend to have. He taught me that at best men are romantics, at worst complete assholes.”

“So he was your first boyfriend?” Justin stresses as he opens a letter, scowls at its words, and hands it to Trace.

“Yes.”

“As in…you know…”

“Amazingly enough, no I don’t know,” I retort, rolling my eyes at his articulacy.

“Was he the first guy you slept with?” asks Trace straightforwardly, his mouth full of cookie.

Blushing, I turn away from them to concentrate on putting the picture frames in protective wrap. “Um…well, yeah…” I mumble shyly.

“He’s not as attractive as me,” says Justin matter-of-factly, pulling out a photo of us at a family barbeque.

“He’s not that bad,” Trace shrugs. “If his nose was just a tiny bit to the right he’d be perfect.”

“And he’d really have to work on his triceps and abdominals,” snorts Justin.

Sometimes I wonder where all the testosterone went from these men. “Hey, girl scouts,” I snatch the picture from their hands. “Stop bitching like a pair of litte girls and get some work done.”

They place the letters back into the box reluctantly, before Justin uses his height to search the top of the closet and Trace unfolds a box.

“Hey, who thinks I can get into this?” he grins, already crouching down into the cardboard.

Laughing, I gently tap his head with a magazine. “Out of there, little man. We need to move onto the kitchen next.”

Trace sticks his tongue out at me and starts to pour the soda into the three cups, doing absolutely anything but work. He hands me and Justin a cup, before sitting cross legged on the floor, watching as Justin and I round up the important items.

“Cat?” he asks in a questioning tone.

“Yeah?” I respond, refilling my glass and pinching a cookie from the box Trace held so tightly in his grasp.

“Did you date anyone between Sean and your first boyfriend?”

I pause my munching to think. “Not really. I went on a few dates, but they were all pretty disastrous. I even think one guy was gay,” I point out, taking a sip of Coke. “Or at least he was by the end of the night. Why do you ask?”

He shrugs. “It just seems like a long gap from Matthew to Sean.”

“Why are we talking about this?” snaps Justin, and I give him a gentle pat on the shoulder.

“It wasn’t the best two years. I just sort of floated around Tennessee until I met you guys and got promoted.”

“We were your saviors,” smirks Justin.

I roll my eyes at him and crouch down next to Trace. “Actually no, Trace was my savior. You were too busy screwing Natasha to care about little old me.”

“That’s not true!” he protests. “I was your friend before Trace was.”

I shrug, slinging an arm around Trace. “He was very supportive through my struggles,” I whimper pathetically, holding back my grin.

“I would have been too!” Justin objects, taking the Coke from me.

“I think what she’s trying to say…is that she likes me better,” says Trace, his eyes twinkling as I laugh.

Justin however, fails to see the amusement. “Is this true, Cat?”

“I love you both exactly the same, now quit wasting time.”

“So there was no one between Matthew and Sean?” repeats Trace.

“No!” I groan. “Why are you asking me this?”

“Well, me and Justin were trying to figure out how many guys you’ve slept with,” says Trace simply, popping another cookie into his mouth.

“Trace!” Justin exclaims, his eyes wide as he throws a balled up pair of socks at Trace. “You’re not supposed to tell her!”

What were you guys trying to figure out?” I squeak incredulously, raising my eyebrows in surprise.

“Well, Justin said three, but I said no way, it must at least six or seven, so I thought I’d just ask you,” Trace shrugs. He’s as nonchalant as though he had just asked me whether I preferred cheese or ham in my sandwiches.

“For your information, you’re both wrong,” I hotly deny, feeling my cheeks burn as I turn back to my closet and start folding my clothes. Those boys can come out with the most unbelievable trash.

“What?” Justin protests. “But who else is there? Me, Sean and Matthew,” he lists off on his fingers. “How many other guys have there been?”

“Justin, stop it,” I order, knowing I’m an unattractive tomato color. “Why do you even care?”

“Because I’m your boyfriend,” he claims, putting his hands on his hips. “I need to know these things.”

“But I don’t know how many girls you’ve slept with!” I complain, busying myself with folding a t-shirt.

“That’s different,” he scoffs, waving his hand. “You know I’ve slept with tons of girls.”

“Oh, how modest you are,” I mutter, rolling my eyes into the wardrobe.

“But you know that,” he insists, walking towards me. “I thought you’d only slept with three guys.”

“Well know you know that isn’t the case, you can just forget about it,” I reply simply, putting a pile of tops into a box.

“Who was closer?” asks Trace, shuffling forward to offer me a cookie. “Me with seven, or Justin with three?”

“Guys, that’s a really personal question.”

“So? I’ll tell you I’ve slept with thirty four girls,” says Trace casually.

“What?” my mouth drops open. “How is that even possible?”

He shrugs. “What else is there to do growing up in Tennessee?”

Shaking my head at him, I start on Justin’s extensive pant collection, carefully folding up each pair. “I can’t believe that.”

“That’s not that much, when you think about it,” Trace defends himself.

“No?”

“No. I mean, it could be a lot bigger.”

“What, the number of girls or your ego?” I tease.

“Back to our original point,” Trace stresses. “Come on Cat, we’re your friends. You can tell us.”

Sighing, I throw a pair of Levi’s into the box. “Fine. I’ve slept with a grand total of five guys in my life, alright?”

Trace waves his hand. “See? That’s nothing. Why couldn’t you just tell us?”

“Five guys?” Justin repeats, his face oddly pale. “Five guys? What? When? Who are these two I don’t know about?”

“Justin,” I laugh. “Calm down. It doesn’t really make a difference.”

“It doesn’t really make a difference? It doesn’t really make a difference?!”

“It’s no big deal.”

“It’s no big deal!”

“Are you going to keep repeating everything I say? Because that gets really old after a while,” I scowl. “I never mentioned these other two guys because they were just casual boyfriends. It didn’t mean anything.”

“But I thought you’d hardly slept with anyone!” he exclaims.

“Well she hasn’t,” says Trace, shuffling the box of cookies to get the crumbs at the bottom. “I mean, five is nothing. Especially compared to our double digit numbers.”

“Still,” Justin huffs. “I just can’t believe there are two other guys out there that I had no idea about. Were they one night stands?”

“That really doesn’t matter. Why are you worrying about it?” I ask, throwing the last of our clothes into the boxes. “You’ve never cared before.”

“I was just curious,” he shrugs, sitting down on the bed. “I thought I knew everything about you there was to know.”

“What’s the matter, Justin? There are things about me that you don’t know, and there are things about you that I don’t know,” I reply placidly, sitting down beside him. “I don’t care how many girls you’ve slept with, because I don’t get jealous about exes like you do. I just accept it’s your past and that, oh dear, my little Justin isn’t a virgin.” I roll my eyes.

“But doesn’t it just make your skin crawl?” he complains. “The idea of someone you care so much about being with someone else?”

“It’s not something I choose to think about,” I shrug. “But it doesn’t bother me too much.”

Justin shakes his head. “I can’t...stand the thought of you being as intimate with someone else as we are with each other.”

My eyes fly to where Trace calmly examines the ingredients to Coca Cola, embarrassingly aware that he is still in the room. “Yes…well…”

Trace glances up and catches my eye, sending me a wry smile. “Are you two going to start talking about your sex life? If so, it’s time for me to make my exit.”

“All I want to know is if Sean was better in bed than me,” says Justin, hiding the fact he thinks making me blush is hilarious not too well by letting out a snort.

“Justin, shut up,” I retort, busying myself with staring at my shoes. Why oh why does he have to ask such a stupid question when Trace is in the room? Couldn’t he just wait until he left before allowing continuous streams of crap to pour from his mouth?

Trace laughs before springing up to answer the ringing telephone. As soon as he leaves the room, I deliver a swift punch to Justin’s shoulder.

He smirks as he rubs his attacked skin. “Ow!”

“You deserved that.”

“I was just asking!” he insists as I rise off the bed and continue folding clothes.

“Justin, if I must reassure you sexually, can’t you at least wait until we’re alone before you pester me?”

“Excuse me, but I don’t need reassurance sexually,” he says, wrapping his arms around me and resting his chin on my shoulder. “I know I can do things to you that that little hillbilly never could.”

I let out a quiet snort before reaching behind me to blindly pat Justin’s head. “Okay, then.”

A strong set of hands grip my hips and whirl me around to face him, almost making me drop the shirt I’m holding. “What are you trying to say?”

I almost want to laugh at the stunned expression on his face. It’s similar to the one he adopted when I insinuated he wasn’t as well endowed as he thought. “Justin, don’t look so shocked.”

“No Cat, seriously, what’s going on?” Justin demands, his baby face contorted into an offended expression. “Was Sean better in bed than I am?”

“As if it matters,” I shake my head. “God Justin, you’re so defensive. Especially when it comes to Sean.”

“Well what made him better?” Justin asks, looking upset. “Am I not attentive enough? Do I not do enough stuff for you? Am I selfish?”

My instinctive reaction was to laugh at Justin’s jump to defense, but it suddenly struck me how often he does this. Trace mentioned something about Justin thinking I was cheating on him when he saw me and Sean together, and that he thought there was a mutual jealousy between the two. Sean wants what Justin has, and Justin wants the compatibility that Sean and I share.

Justin always seems quick to pounce when I mention ex boyfriends or people that I care about possibly threatening his position as the most important person in my life. He seemed genuinely appalled that I had slept with people outside the little trio of my serious boyfriends. I don’t know why it even matters, but he has always expressed an air of dislike for anybody that I’ve cared about. Of course, this is often a factor in most relationships; it’s not exactly a hobby of mine to wonder about how fantastic Justin and Britney were, but Justin takes it to the extreme.

And I suddenly realize, for the first time in the crazy journey that is Justin and I, that I’m not the only insecure one in this relationship.

“Not at all,” I say gently, cupping his face in my hands. “Do you want me to be honest?”

“Yes,” he replies, frowning slightly, as though my reaction is seriously going to affect his self worth.

“Physically, you’re no better or worse than Sean was,” I murmur truthfully, receiving a hurt glare from Justin’s eyes. “But…” the glare softens. “I didn’t feel half of what I feel with you with Sean. With you…it’s like a whole different level,” I say earnestly. “I’ve never felt what I feel with you before, so I can’t even compare you two.”

A boyish smile crosses his features. “Really?” His adorable look is not unlike that of a child that’s just been told their finger painting was the best in the class. It’s as though my approval is held in such high esteem that when he finally gets it, he can’t feel happier.

But why? Why on earth would Justin Timberlake, pop star extraordinaire, the man worth millions of dollars, the face that makes people swoon, care so much about what I think? I barely even value my own opinion, why should he?

I suppose I take it for granted that Justin is just a confident, self-assured guy. He has a cocky exterior, and he will tell you honestly that he is loved by many, hated by none. It never crossed my mind Justin might be like me; he might worry that I think I’ve made the wrong decision by staying with him, he might worry that one day I’ll just change my mind and pack it all in, he might even worry that I don’t love him that much at all.

So perhaps Justin and I aren’t so different at all. Perhaps we’re exactly the same

“Justin, you know that I love you lots and lots, don’t you?” I ask, tipping my head to the side.

He nods his head, moving his hands in circular motions on my hips.

“And you don’t feel, I don’t know…threatened…by what I may have had with anyone else?”

He pauses, before shrugging. “I guess so. I mean, I know I’m different from all your other boyfriends, so I suppose sometimes I feel as though I have to work that extra bit harder for you.”

My heart breaks with every word he says, like when I see those charity programs on TV about sick children in Africa. “Do I make you feel inadequate?” I whisper, ready to denounce my title as a good girlfriend if he say yes.

“No,” he shakes his head. “It’s not you, it’s the rest of the world. I mean, what if they take one look at me and just say I’m no clever, or, or…reliable enough for you?” he stutters. “What if one day, someone tells you we’re two opposites that just don’t work, and you believe them? Obviously, we do work, and I love you to pieces, but what if…why are you laughing?” he asks, stopping mid-sentence to give me a crooked smile.

I shake my head, still chuckling slightly. “We’re exactly the same, do you know that? Everything you've just said is exactly how I feel. You and I…we’re two of a kind.”

“How?”

“We both worry about crap that we don’t have to,” I say, leaning in to rub my nose against his lightly, before dropping a feathery kiss on his lips. “Despite all the odds and logistics, I think this is the most rational relationship I’ve ever been in.”

He smiles. “Good, because you’re going to be in it a while longer.”

Wrapping my arms around his neck, I nod. “I hope so.”

We stay entwined in each other for a moment, before I can feel Justin’s breath tickling my neck as he asks me a question. “So…I am better than Sean then?”

I laugh and pull away. “Well, am I better than Britney?”

He shakes it off nonchalantly. “No contest.”

I giggle and turn back to my packing. “That hoe ain’t got shit on me.”

“Cat!” he exclaims, sending me a surprised look. “Why are you talking like that? I thought you hated ‘ghetto talk’?”

“I do,” I reply calmly, throwing Justin a basketball shirt. “But I figured since we were going to New York, I’d need to get some of that rough talking back in the game.” I tap my chin thoughtfully for a moment. “Yo, um…J-Dawg, wuddup?”

He laughs. “Just chillin’ in the crib, homie.” He rubs his hands together excitedly. “Okay, I’ll call you “my bitch”, and you call me Papa.”

“Papa? As much as I love being an incestuous “bitch”, I really think we should stick to Cat and Justin.”

“All right, all right…” he relents. “You can call me Jizzle Dizzle.”

I can’t suppress my laughter as Justin smiles at me. “Sorry Justin, I just really don’t think I’m cool enough to pull something like that off.”

He waves his hand. “Sure you are. You’re Justin Timberlake’s girlfriend. You can do whatever you want.”

I raise an eyebrow at him. “Well, you’re Cat Saunder’s boyfriend, and that strictly prohibits you from speaking a bunch of crap.” I snort. “And yet you somehow still manage to do it.”

“The language of Snoop Doggy Dog is not crap, Cat,” Justin whispers in a deeply offended tone, widening his eyes. “The language of Snoop Doggy Dog is the word of god.”

“Is it really?” I question disbelievingly, binding a box shut with tape.

“Fo shizzle ma nizzle.”

Placing my head in my hands, I moan in despair. “If you talk like this when we move, it’s over.”

“You’d throw away your kindred spirit just because of the way he spoke?” he asks, laughing.

“In a word? Yes,” I reply, throwing the tape to the ground. “Now finish that shelf, and we can start work on the kitchen.”

“Cat?” he says.

“Yeah?” I toss over my shoulder.

“Why do you think we work?” he asks, inspecting a t-shirt. “I mean, you said we’re two of a kind and stuff…but the only way we’re alike is in our insecurities? Is that healthy?”

I smile faintly. “No, but that’s what makes us us. We’re just human beings. We fret over shit that doesn’t matter, we’re dysfunctional, and we both know it.”

He chuckles. “What could be more perfect?”

I grin at him. “Exactly.”
Chapter 11 by Teeny
“How can you not like flying?”

It was as though that question was on a constant loop in Trace’s mouth and he could say nothing else. “I’m just wild, I guess,” I mutter sarcastically, turning the page of my book.

“But it’s so much fun!” Trace exclaims, propping his elbow on the leather armrest of his chair and leaning over the aisle to talk to me. “You’re like…thousands of feet in the air.”

“Exactly. You’re suspended ‘like, thousands of feet in the air’ with nothing to support you but the clouds, completely dependant on the hope that the little piece of steel you’re locked in doesn’t suddenly plummet down to the ground at a record-breaking speed.”

Trace seem slightly stumped by my less than optimistic outlook on flying and leans back in his chair, frowning. “But flying is four times safer than driving,” he says eventually.

“Right,” I reply distractedly from the book. “I’ll think about that when we’re doing a spectacular nose-dive into the earth’s crust.”

“Cat, you’re going to make him cry,” reprimands Justin, pulling at his headphones. “I know for a fact you’re not scared of flying, so stop pretending that you are just so you can make Trace fear for his life.”

I let out a tiny smile. “As if I would do such a thing.”

Justin shakes his head at me before replacing his headphone and leaning against the headrest, his eyes closed. I return to my book, ignoring Trace’s shuffling in the seat across from me as I hear the rumble of the engines preparing the plane for take-off.

I suppose I should be doing cartwheels or some other form of excited anticipation, but I spent so long fussing over New York and what it will be like to leave Tennessee, any enthusiasm for the move as been vacuumed out. Justin has spent the last few days glued to his cell phone, talking with producers, managers; all those middle-aged had-beens with too much gel in their hair that I love so much. Therefore, his customary zeal has been somewhat lacking as of late, and Trace seems to be on some sort of self-deprecation thing where he doesn’t talk much, except to make a really stupid comment. Justin said it was his way of coping with change.

It was actually less hard than I thought it would be saying goodbye to Tennessee. I had a little bit of a tearful adieu with Diane, but I was quick to be assured she would visit me whenever I felt lonely. I even bid her hillbilly boyfriend a nice goodbye without mentioning the fact he wears cowboy hats in all seriousness, which I thought was an astounding show of maturity when all I’ve ever wanted to do was rip those stupid things off his head.

I’m not completely pessimistic however. Trace (who is actually Justin’s personal assistant--a fact that had completely slipped my mind in a year of knowing him) booked our flight tickets in first class, which meant we were ushered onto the plane by a model-esque flight attendant, and seated in extravagantly leather bound chairs that were about a mile wide. It’s a ridiculous amount of money of course, and I did hold up an admirable three minute dispute that we’d be better off in coach, but it’s sort of fun to be in the company of people who could leisurely burn hundred dollar bills.

“What are you reading?” Trace asks, poking me in the arm.

Ignoring the urge to cut off his finger, I murmur, “Just some stuff about New York,” in response. I hate it when people disturb my reading; I always get this incredible impulse to turn around and smack them, shouting “Can’t you see I’m busy?!” But as we’re seated in first class surrounded by tired Japanese business men, I keep my initial reactions to myself.

“What does it say?”

“It’s quite interesting actually,” I reply, straightening up in my seat. “Apparently, the Statue of Liberty was appointed a National Monument in 1924, forty years after its opening.”

Trace’s bored facial expression does not budge. “Is that so?” He was clearly hoping to hear that I was reading some Harlequin romance where some aging housewife gets involved in an intricate affair with her son’s seventeen-year-old friend.

“Yeah, and look, America reciprocated the favor to France by giving them a replica about a quarter of the size in bronze,” I point to a photograph.

Trace rolls his eyes and reaches over me to prod Justin. “Justin, Cat’s being a geek,” he whines as Justin wraps his headphone cords around his iPod.

“Are you still reading that American History crap?” he asks, stretching.

“Justin, this is not crap,” I defend, jabbing at my book with my finger. “How can you call the Statue of Liberty crap? This is a noble peace-offering from France in the wake of the American Revolution. It’s a milestone marking our ever-steady move towards more national alliances.”

“Cat, what the hell are you talking about?” Justin moans, burying his face in his hands.

“Merely trying to inject a bit of culture into you boys,” I tut disapprovingly, opening up my book. “You can’t just go to a place and not know anything about it.”

“Why can’t you be like the rest of my girlfriends and just read Cosmo?”

My head snaps to look at him and I deliver an appropriately pissed off look. “Oh, I’m so sorry, but my brain isn’t exactly capable of handling some of the important issues addressed in Cosmopolitan.”

He laughs, furthering my inclination to smack him on the head. “You read them sometimes.”

“It’s called boredom Justin, it makes one do crazy things. I don’t make them my staple reading material, unlike your past, and clearly highly “intellectual”, girlfriends.”

He shrugs and smiles, clearly very pleased with himself for irritating me so soon into our flight. “But aren’t they chockablock with helpful hints to make yourself a self-confident, sexier woman?”

“All they do is come up with weirdly wonderful sexual positions that I’m perfectly capable of coming up with myself without the assistance of a magazine, thank you very much.”

“Oh really?” he raises an eyebrow. “Care to share, baby?”

“Care to cease with the irritatingly chauvinistic comments, baby?”

He laughs and pats my leg. “I’m just teasing you.”

“Justin, the drinks person is coming!” Trace suddenly whispers urgently, pointing down the blue-carpeted aisle to the slowly moving flight attendant handing out drinks to passengers.

“He’s not your type, Trace,” I say apologetically, laughing when Trace scowls at me.

“Okay…Cat, ask for a decaffeinated Coke,” Justin says anxiously, glancing down at the man as he steadily approaches us.

“What? Why?” I protest, turning my head to look at him.

“Because he’ll have to go get some out of the refrigerator.”

“So?”

“Just do it,” he whispers through gritted teeth, smiling up at the man who had advance up with a cart of refreshments.

“Can I get you anything to drink, madam?” asks the sickeningly peppy man, smiling down at me.

“Um…yes, do you have a caffeine-free Coke?” I ask, feeling Justin squeeze my leg when I hesitated. I don’t even like caffeine-free Coca-Cola. Hell, I even draw the line at Diet. Where’s the fun in a sugarless soda?

“Of course madam, although I’m afraid I’ll have to fetch it from the refrigerator. I don’t have it in my cart at the moment.” He smiles for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

“Sure,” I beam at him, utterly clueless as the man turns around to get my drink and Trace and Justin dissolve into a fit of giggles. “Okay, what’s going on?”

“Come on Trace, go quickly,” says Justin, standing up slightly to talk to Trace.

Trace nods and immediately unbuckles his seatbelt before diving into the refreshments, rummaging through its contents.

“What the hell are you…” I trail off, suddenly feeling an overwhelming disappointment in the two idiots. “Oh no…please don’t tell me you’re stealing peanuts, Trace.”

“Hey, these peanuts are the shit,” says Trace, emerging with no less than ten packets of salted nuts and throwing a few at me and Justin.

“We have peanut wrappers from like, twenty different airlines,” says Justin proudly, opening a packet and popping a few in his mouth. “They’re high-quality, baby.”

“What an achievement,” I say sarcastically, torn between disbelief and depression in the knowledge that seeing Justin and Trace do mind-numbingly stupid things was the norm.

“Here you go, madam,” says the man, quickly pouring my no-caffeine, no-fun drink into a glass with some ice in it. “Anything for you, sir?”

“Can I have some peanuts, please?” asks Justin, smirking, hiding his previously opened bag

“Of course, Mr. Timberlake,” beams the man, quickly bringing out far more than the customary two-packet-per-person and passing them to him, his wide eyes doing little to conceal his excitement at meeting ‘Mr. Timberlake’. “I hope you enjoy your flight, sir.”

Resisting the urge to roll my eyes, I turn to Justin, trying to block out the sound of Trace asking for even more peanuts. “So this is how you two amuse yourself when you’re working?”

“Yep,” he nods, opening a bag and scooping up at least half of its contents in one handful. “And plus, first class is always really over expensive. They expect you to steal their snacks; it balances it out.” At my frown, he continues. “It’s like when you’re at a hotel and you take the little bars of soap and the bathrobes.”

“You’re not supposed to do that,” I interrupt.

He rolls his eyes, throwing a peanut at me. “Alright, Saint Catherine.”

Laughing, I pull out his iPod, running my finger over the touch-sensitive circle to activate it. “Do you have your album on this?”

He leans over my shoulder to look at it. “Probably. When I’m not listening to myself talk, I like to listen to myself sing,” he grins.

“Alright Justin, that’s enough of the narcissism for today,” I mutter playfully, scrolling down the menu at an alarmingly slow rate. I hate the whole circle thing; it always manages to outsmart me.

“Cat, I’m going to die watching you do this,” Justin snaps eventually, snatching the iPod from my hands. His long fingers expertly dance around the keys, before he hands it back to me, the faint notes of Senorita pouring from the headphones.

I put one headphone in, smirking when I remember Justin teaching me how to play it on the piano., before just begging to kiss me. I would smirk smugly, but it’s really Justin’s job in the relationship to be the irritatingly conceited one.

“What’s with the sudden interest?” Justin asks, rubbing my thigh in a very distracting and yet fantastically enjoyable way.

“I just figured if I have dragged my ass all the way to New York for your career, I may as well know a little about it.”

His eyebrows shoot upwards. “Really? You’ve never shown interest in it before.”

“That’s not true,” I defend. “I went to one of your concerts. I even helped my sister make a freaking banner, for Christ sake.”

“What did it say? ‘I Love You, Justin?’”

“Probably something more along the lines of, ‘Impregnate me, Justin’.”

He chuckles. “I’d be happy to.”

Shaking my head vigorously, I look down to see the song change. “Don’t even joke about it, Justin. The last thing we want to do is bring a human being containing our matching DNA into the world quite so soon. Can you imagine how screwed up that kid would be?”

He laughs. “Well, anyway, you might have to know snippets about me if you’re going to be my girlfriend.”

I frown. “I thought I’d been your girlfriend for the past seven months, or did I dream it all?”

“But ‘publicly’. My manager will think it very odd if you don’t even know what my second group album was called.”

“Let me guess…Let’s All Have Perfectly Legal, Innocent Fun? No? Um…how about, We Are Sexy Pretty Boys, But We Don’t Take Drugs And Neither Should You, Kids.”

As I was chuckling at my own wit, Justin was scowling at me. “No, it was called No Strings Attached.”

I raise an eyebrow in concern. “I hope you don’t mean that in the casual-sex sense of the phrase. Can you imagine the drastic rise in teen pregnancies from all the teenage girls taking your advice and getting in ‘no strings attached’, purely physical relationships?”

“Ha ha, very funny,” he replies sarcastically, folding his arms grumpily.

“Cat, it’s really not interesting,” says Trace lowering his magazine. “Here’s how it goes…skinny kid gets into Mickey Mouse club, skinny kid gets into band, skinny kid releases solo album and tries to be black.” He shrugs. “Simple.”

Laughing, I turn to a very displeased Justin. “Is that how it went, skinny kid?”

“No!” he protests, glaring at Trace. “It’s a really great story, but if you guys don’t wanna hear it…”

“No, no…I’m sorry, please tell me,” I smile at him and rub his arm in what I hope is an encouraging manner.

“Yeah Justin, I could always hear this story for the fifteenth time,” says Trace, tucking his magazine into the little pocket on the back of the seat in front of him.

Justin shifts until his back is to the window so he can face Trace and I, his expression serious. “Well, I started off slowly. Doing things like mall shows, beauty pageants--”

“Aw, did you wear a pretty dress with a tiara?” I ask, sticking out my bottom lip.

He smiles. “No, I wore a white tux.”

“I thought beauty pageants were for girls.”

“They are,” says Trace. “It really says a lot about Justin’s confused youth.”

Justin rolls his eyes before continuing. “The main point is that I won it.”

“Really?”

“Yep. I have tapes of it somewhere. I’ll have to get my mom to root them out for you.”

“Cat, they are the funniest thing,” snorts Trace, scrunching up the bag of what might just be his fifth packet of peanuts. “Justin thought he was this big hotshot with the basketball, and then he goes and freaking drops it before he got off the stage! Oh, and then he wears this really fucked up shirt in the fashion bit which kinda looked like a patchwork of cellophane--”

“Then I did Star Search…” Justin tries to interrupt Trace’s steady flow of criticism.

“Oh yeah, the shirt for that is even funnier…”

“Did you win?” I ask, trying to keep the grin from my face as Trace’s criticism of Justin’s fashion choices lingers in the background.

Justin shifts uncomfortable. “Not exactly. But at least it got me into the Mickey Mouse Club.”

I roll my eyes. “Oh yes, the infamous Mickey Mouse Club.”

“It was the first big thing I had done. It had Britney, Christina, JC…people like that. We sang, danced, acted--”

“I used to watch it,” I interrupt, biting back my smile. “And I think regarding a collage of equally unfunny kiddy sketches ‘acting’ is taking it a bit far, don’t you?” Trace lets out a loud snort and we high five, much to Justin’s annoyance.

“You guys are hilarious, really.” Justin rolls his eyes at us before continuing, “Anyway, when I was about fourteen or so, I got into Nsync.”

“Fourteen? But that’s so young!” I screech. He shrugs in response. “At fourteen I was becoming increasingly more secluded and moody, my only achievement was winning the school Spelling Bee...and you were in a goddamn band?”

He grins cockily. “Yes. And by fifteen, I had an album out in Germany.”

“What the hell could you sing about at that age? Your job at the movie theater and how much you wanted a BMX?”

He crosses his arms defiantly. “I was incredibly mature at fifteen.”

“What, you had your own cell phone?” I say in a mock serious tone. I should really stop teasing Justin, but I’m finding it’s speeding along my journey very nicely.

He sneers at me. “Excuse me, but I was already in a sexual relationship,” he says smugly.

My eyes widen to unattractive proportions. It sounds more disturbing every time I hear that. “What? You were having sex at fifteen?”

“Fourteen, actually. And keep your voice down.”

My mouth gapes open as I stare at him in astonishment. “That’s so…”

“Admirable?” he grins.

“No. Disgusting,” I grimace. “My God, what a scandal. I didn’t even get kissed until I was fifteen, and it was by my lab partner who became a priest after I left, so it really isn’t something to brag about.”

Justin laughs. “Well, I did start a little early.” He shrugs. “But we broke up because I was so busy with the album. It did really well in Germany, and over a lot of Europe.”

“So you were this mega star by the time you were sixteen?”

“You could say that.”

“What were you doing at this point?” I ask, swiveling around to face Trace.

He laughs. “Basically the same thing that Justin was doing with all of those German girls, only I stuck to Tennessee’s own brand.” If the aisle wasn’t so damn wide, I would have reached over and smacked the smirk right off of Trace’s face.

Justin must sense my readiness to launch into a sermon about the women’s rights movement, as he swiftly interrupts me. “But then we came back to the states, and released the album here.”

“And it did great?”

He chews his lip thoughtfully. “Well…no, I guess it didn’t. But then we did this concert for Disney, and it exploded.”

“Would I recognize any of the songs.”

He pauses, titling his head back to think. “Well, what you like to refer to as the “God Song”, um…I Want You Back, maybe?”

“How did it go?”

He grins, before clearing his throat and delivering an embarrassingly loud rendition. “You’re all I ever wanted! You’re all I ever needed…”

“Yeah-eah!” Trace adds, his deafening adlib draw the attention of a few irritated passengers.

“Alright, alright!” I exclaim, blushing furiously at their public display. “That’s enough.”

Justin giggles. “Well, did you like it?”

“It was musical genius,” I mutter, still holding my head down in case anyone thinks I’m with these geeks. “Were you with Britney at this point?”

Justin’s eyes snap to mine in surprise. We’ve never talked about Britney, as I’ve never expressed any interest in her. My sudden curiosity is a little out of the blue. “Um…sort of. We started seeing each other when I was about seventeen or so. Maybe later.”

I nod. “I remember my sister freaking out when you and Britney came to this award show together. She thought you two were the most adorable couple.”

He bends his head to trace a pattern in the salt from the peanuts on his table. “We were, I suppose.”

Knowing I was getting into dangerous ground, I quickly pulled away from the Britney topic. “So, how many albums did you do with Nsync?”

“Three,” he answers. “But with the second one, we had a court battle with Lou because of financial issues, and--”

“Lou Pearlman?” He nods. “The guy that screwed over the Backstreet Boys?”

He frowns. “How do you know?” I shrug nonchalantly, sipping my no-caffeine Coke. “Were you a Backstreet…fan?” he asks quietly, with a hint of a smile on his face.

“No,” I deny hotly, returning my drink to the table with a bang. “I just liked one or two of their songs, that’s all. And I just happened to be interested in what was going on in their careers, for business purposes alone. It wasn‘t like I liked them.”

“Don’t worry Cat, so did I,” Trace says reassuringly. “I just couldn’t tell Justin. He still maintains that his hair is better than Nick Carter’s.”

Laughing, I turn back to Justin, who was looking not unlike his younger brother with his ridiculous pout. “Sorry. Proceed with your heart-wrenching tale of devastating youth exploitation.”

“Well, we were getting our asses sued for hundreds of millions,” at my gasp, he smiles. “But don’t worry, we won, and released No Strings Attached.”

“Which broke a ton of records by selling millions in the first week,” adds Trace.

“Really?”

Justin nods. “Yup. That was stuff like Bye Bye Bye--”

“So if they didn’t hear it the first time, you repeated it twice just to really get that message across?”

He ignores me. “This I Promise You…”

“Promise me what? That you won’t give me an STD?”

“Then we did Celebrity,” he finishes, throwing me an irritated glance.

“Oh yeah. I remember one of your videos. My sister taped its TRL premiere and played it over and over.”

Justin rolls his eyes. “I suppose I should prepare myself for another verbal bashing?”

“No! I actually liked it.” I protest. “I think it was…Gone? Something like that?” He nods. “I loved the way you went straight to the refrigerator for comfort. You’re my kinda guy.” My smile fades as I try to keep a straight face. “But that bitch left you out cold, man. No furniture, no food, no…shoes?”

Trace snorts as Justin smiles begrudgingly. “It was the director’s artistic touch to show how I was left with nothing.”

“Indeed. And what’s artistic about the way her ass fell out of her shorts when you two were frolicking in the meadow?”

He shrugs. “Well, that was a little touch of my own.” He dodges my slap and carries on. “Anyway, after Celebrity, I broke up with Britney and decided to do a solo album.”

“Why?”

He pauses to think about it. “I guess…I guess I just wanted to see if I could do it on my own. And plus, I wanted complete freedom on a record. To say exactly what I wanted to say.”

“And you hired our friends Chad and Pharrell,” I add, proud of my little tidbit of knowledge.

“Exactly,” he nods.

“Yeah, I remember that. Everyone went crazy when you did that scandalous video for Cry Me A River.” I send him a disapproving frown. “That was a little low of you.”

He nods mournfully. “I know. But it was a good video.”

“It was, just a little accusative.” Running my finger over the edge of my glass, I look at him carefully. “Is that actually what happened?”

“When?”

“When you and Britney broke up. Did she cheat on you?” I ask quietly, ready to retract my comment if he got upset or said it was none of my business.

He sighs, looking down at his fold-out table. “Well, yes, but it’s my fault we didn’t get back together. She made a mistake, and I was too pigheaded to forgive her for it.”

Feeling slightly uncomfortable, I turn away to meet Trace’s sad gaze, and it hits me how much this must have affected Justin. Knowing my sister and how she loves to keep abreast of all the latest celebrity news, she was probably right when she said they were the cutest couple. Put two gorgeous people together and you get an even better looking couple. They must have been great together.

Which brings me back to the faint, lingering point always in the back of my mind…what the hell is Justin doing with me after Britney? It would be like driving a Mercedes for four years and then suddenly being downgraded to a Volvo. Or having your local McDonalds shut down to be replaced by a health food shop.

“But you and I work a lot better than me and Britney did,” Justin says, interrupting my thoughts as he shifts in his seat.

My head snaps up. “Really?”

“Yeah, Britney didn’t have any of your fire,” Trace laughs. “You know when you and Justin argue, it’s like World War Three has erupted?” I nod sheepishly. “Well, with those two they had the piddliest of arguments, and then two minutes later it was, ‘love you baby’, and ‘no, no, you have better hair!’”

Justin laughs but quickly tries to scorn him. “We were not like that!”

Trace raises an eyebrow before putting headphones over his ears in a very, ‘whatever’ way.

“So that was your career in a nutshell?” I ask, placing my hand in Justin’s.

“No. He’s conveniently left out all the parts where he wore skin tight velour shirts and used bleach to achieve that natural, sun-kissed hair look,” says Trace over his music, loud enough to get the person in front of his to stop his typing and snort.

Justin blushes slightly, but acts as though he hadn’t heard him. “Yes, a very small nutshell. But we’ll find you a “Justin Timberlake’s whirlwind adventure of a life” program filling you in with the rest. You’ll just die when you see me at the beauty pageant.”

“I know. I can just envision the masculinity pouring off of you.”

“Shut up,” he prods me in the side, giving my hand a squeeze. “Oh! When we land, you’ll get to meet Tiny.”

“Tiny who? Tiny Tim?”

He smiles and brings my hand to his lips, giving it a quick kiss. “No, my security guard. I’m going to need him a lot more in New York.”

I make a face. “Is he going to be there all the time?”

“Pretty much,” he says apologetically. “But he’s really nice.”

“I’m sure he is,” I agree, yawning and resting my head on Justin’s shoulder.

“You tired, baby?” he asks, dropping a kiss on my forehead.

“Mm,” I mumble in response, snuggling up to him slightly.

Justin places another tiny kiss on my forehead, before very slowly pulling out a magazine and turning the pages at an agonizingly deliberate pace, so that the crackling won’t disturb me.

For a moment I debate whether I love him for being so sweet, or hate him for making me buy that caffeine-free crap. A normal, eight-spoonfuls-of-sugar-per-can of Coke would’ve boosted my energy sky-high.

Feeling his warm touch lifting my head to insert a pillow between the stuffed leather seat and myself before smoothing my hair away from my face, I decide on the former.

--------------------------------------------------

“Cat…Cat, wake up.”

My eyes sluggishly agree to open, squinting when the overhead lights blind them. “Are we there yet?” I ask groggily, rubbing my eyes as Justin smiles at me.

“Yes, we’re here.”

Stretching, I buckle my seatbelt and hear a monotonous voice announcing we are “preparing for landing”. My bleary focus adjusts to the light and I peak out of Justin’s window, still only seeing the fluffy white clouds obstructing my view of the city. Justin let out a small chuckle at my eagerness before leaning back in his seat. The plane dipped, causing my stomach to have that strange empty feeling, like the one you get one roller coasters where you’re at the very peak before you hurtle down a vertical drop.

My hand slips into Justin’s and I absentmindedly look over at Trace, who suddenly looks a lot more scared than he did when we took off. Was it perhaps wrong of me to describe exactly what speed the plane would hit the ground at?

“Hey,” I give Justin’s hand a nudge, attracting his attention.

“Hi.”

“You know I was just kidding before, right? When I was making fun of the stuff you’ve done?”

“Everything I’ve done,” he inserts, smiling. “You’ll have a field day if you hear the first album.”

I grin sheepishly. “But seriously, I am really proud of you.”

“Thank you,” he replies, kissing me quickly as the airplane hit’s the tarmac with a slight bump. His lip part to reveal a perfect set of straight white teeth as he smiles. “We’re here.”

I sigh. “Yep, we are.”

As we stepped down from the plane, Justin began frantically waving at someone. I looked in the direction his chaotic arm gestures seemed to be pointed to, to see a large black man smirking at Justin. He couldn’t have been less than 300 pounds, and yet didn’t look so much fat as…firm. His shaved head made him almost look like a convict out on parole, and his black shirt and pants did nothing to suggest anything other than murderous thoughts running through his head.

“Tiny!” Justin shouts, jogging across the asphalt the greet the man. Trace hangs back with me, placing a hand on my back to urge me forward.

I don’t want to go near that man. He could snap me in two. He’s like a big…block.

“Hey Trace,” his deep voice greets as he slaps Trace on the back.

“What’s up, Tiny?” says Trace, his short stocky figure dominated by “Tiny”’s.

“This is Cat,” says Justin, pointing towards me.

I shrink back timidly. What if he suddenly lashes out and kills me? “Hi,” I whisper.

“Hi,” he says happily. “Nice to meet you.”

“Mmmm…” I trail off uncertainly. “So…you’re Justin’s bodyguard?”

“Yup, I’ve been protecting his scrawny ass for years.”

I let out an unsure laugh. “Great.”

“Okay, I got a car for you guys parked out in the front,” he begins seriously, his face set into a frown. “We’d better get going before the paparazzi come.”

I can’t help but giggle nervously. “This all sounds very co-vert op.”

I don’t get the round of laughs I expected. “If the press see Justin, they’ll freak. If they see Justin with a girl…” Trace, Justin and Tiny shudder visibly. “Chaos,” Tiny finishes.

“Really?” I raise an eyebrow in doubt.

“You have no idea,” says Tiny, beginning to take brisk strides towards the car park.

“What about our luggage?” I ask.

“Someone will pick it up for us,” Trace waves off nonchalantly, following Tiny.

“Can’t we do it ourselves?”

“We could,” Justin shrugs. “But my people will do it.”

I stop in my tracks and let my mouth drop open in shock. “Your ‘people’?”

He rolls his eyes and grasps my elbow. “Come on, Cat. This place will be crawling with photogs in half an hour.”

“Can’t I at least get a bottle of water?” I ask, pointing towards the airport.

Tiny lets out a groan. Great, he likes me already. “Be back in fifteen minutes,” he orders.

I was tempted to make a smart remark about how it was “affirmative, commander”, but considering one of his hands is the size of my head, I quickly turned around and scurried into the airport. I wove in and out of the bustling crowd, darting into the nearest shop I could to get something to drink.

I pick up a bottle of water and waited in the queue behind an old man who took the liberty of paying in the smallest change possible. I tap my foot impatiently, thinking about Tiny’s various ways of wrath. Suddenly, a tug on my arm causes me to turn around, expecting to see Trace asking me to buy him some peanuts.

To my surprise, a girl of about fifteen was staring at me intently. “Can I help you?” I ask hesitantly.

“Hi,” she says nervously, peering at me curiously. “I’m Samantha, I’m here on holiday with my family,” she waves behind her towards a man and a woman trying to calm a screaming child. “And I was looking out of the window, and I think I saw you.”

What a weird girl. “Really.” I reply as more of a bored statement. “Is there anything I could do for you?”

“Um...this is going to sound a little freaky,” I haven’t heard that word in a while, “but where you with Justin Timberlake?”

“Yes,” I answer immediately, before realizing broadcasting I was with “The Justin Timberlake” was not the best of ideas. “I mean, um…no.” I am a genius. Give me a Nobel Prize.

“You were, weren’t you!” she exclaims. “See, I heard he was working on another album in New York, but--”

“How the hell did you find that out?” I blurt rudely.

She shrugs. “The internet.”

This must be the most surreal experience of my life. “Well, um…yeah…” Again, I deliver another brilliantly witty piece of banter, and try to turn away, feeling awkward. “Are you a fan?”

She nod. “I love his music.”

“Well, he loves his fans,” I say in the happiest voice I can muster.

“Are you his girlfriend?” she asks, gripping my arm intently.

“Erm…” my eyes glance towards the blonde-haired cashier as he scans my water. “No, no I’m not. I’m his…personal assistant.”

“Is that water for him?!” she exclaims, pointing towards the bottle excitedly.

“Um…yeah, sure.”

“So is Trace still his PA too?”

It took me a moment to understand what a PA was, but I nodded. “Yeah, but he can always use…a helping hand.” God, someone slit my throat before I start talking even more crap.

“Well, it was so cool to meet you,” she says, grinning at me.

“Likewise,” I reply, trying to smile.

“Thanks a lot, bye!” She waves over her shoulder, before running out of the shop and back to her parents, leaving me stunned.

Did that just happen? It was the strangest encounter I’ve ever had with someone, and I’m friends with Trace Ayala for goodness sake.

“She’s one of the good ones,” a rumble of a voice interrupts my thoughts.

My head snaps up to see Tiny standing before me, arms crossed protectively over his chest as he smiles. “You’ll get worse, trust me.”

“That was just…odd,” I complain, leaving the shop with a somewhat dazed expression on my face.

Tiny shrugs. “Hate to say it to you Cat, but it’s something you’ll have to grow to expect.”

“Really?” I ask, unscrewing the lid off of my bottle.

“Yep,” he nods, holding open the door for me. “Most of them are okay, but--”

All of a sudden a bright white flash seared through my vision, making me step back in surprise. My sight blurs momentarily, before I see a man in a white t-shirt and baggy green pants standing in front of me, his face hidden by an obtrusive black camera.

“Who the hell are you?” I demand, rubbing my eyes from the flash.

He doesn’t reply, but instead takes another picture of me. Tiny lets out an angry groan and moves himself in front of me, his overpowering physique obscuring mine from sight.

“Let’s go, Cat,” he says gruffly, pulling on my elbow and speeding towards the car.

I bite back the “What’s going on?” and follow him, bending my head to hide my face from the guy with the camera. Tiny leads me to a black Escalade, just like Justin’s back home, and quickly shoves me into it, trying his hardest to stay in front of me at all times. I crawl into the car, only feeling safe when I slam the door shut and put a protective blacked out window between myself and the man.

“Cat, what’s wrong?” says Justin, putting his hand on my knee. “You’re shaking.”

The car tilts under Tiny’s weight as he throws himself into the front seat, before bringing his door to a crashing close.

“Fucking photographer,” he mutters under his breath, hastily jabbing his key into the starter, missing a few times in his hurry.

Justin frowns, glancing out of the window where the man is doing some sort of crazy dance around the car in an attempt to get a picture through the windows. “Fuck,” he mumbles, leaning forward until his head touches his knees. “Fuck, fuck, fuck.”

My eyes dart between him and Trace, who starts to chew his lip nervously. “Was that a paparazzi?”

Tiny and Justin don’t respond, but Trace nods solemnly. “Get used to it, Cat.”

The car speeds off, leaving tire marks in the airport parking lot, before getting on the main road and racing away at a surely illegal speed.

And I realize with a jolt, that I don’t want to get used to it.
Chapter 12 by Teeny


It’s as though everything in the world is just trying to piss me off. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and an particularly chirpy song by Aaron Carter seems to have been on the radio for at least ten minutes.

I thought things were supposed to match my mood. The sky should be overcast with dark, gray clouds ready to unleash a horrific storm, the birds should have flown away to escape the wrath of the downpour, and gloomy classical music should be droning on in the background. That’s how it always is in the movies. But of course, the day couldn’t be brighter. Nor could the tension in the car thicker.

Trace looks at Cat, Cat looks at me, I look out of the window blankly. Cat looks at Trace, Trace looks at me, I look out of the window blankly. Trace looks at Cat--well yes, you get the idea. The uneasy silence in the car has grown thicker by the second as Tiny swerved the car out of the airport’s parking lot and onto the road, taking a series of razor-sharp turns and speeding quite a bit until there was no sign of any goddamn, mother fucker, paparazzi.

So it’s begun. The moment my foot touched the ground, someone tipped some idiot with a camera off, and they got a picture of Cat. What makes it worse is it wasn’t even me that they caught, it was a girlfriend the world is utterly oblivious to, who in addition, has no idea how to deal with a photographer. I can only pray Tiny got there on time before the creep got any good pictures. As much as I’m sure Cat would just love to have her name slandered in a new city, I can appreciate it might make the situation a little more difficult.

I’m just so pissed off. It makes everything I promised Cat about the press not being that bad and keeping her out of the headlines, her welcome committee to New York had a camera strapped to his face. She couldn’t have had a worse introduction to this new part of our life. She was petrified when she came back into the car; I thought she’d been mugged or something.

She doesn’t look so much sad as nervous now, as her and Trace involve themselves in an intricate eye dance without ever bringing their eyes into direct contact. They seem to be aware that with my less than chipper mood simmering on the horizon, speaking to me is never a good idea. It is most likely I’ll explode at the poor person who attempted contact with me, and go into a three hour sulk with them.

Cat clears her throat nervously, clearly revving up her courage to speak. “Look, the Chrysler building.”

Trace gives a “hmm,”, Tiny nods, I grunt in response and continue to stare blankly out of the window, counting how many tourists are holding cameras. Wouldn’t it be really funny if all the camera spontaneously combusted?

Cat continues, apparently unperturbed by the unenthusiastic response. “The Chrysler building is three hundred and nineteen meters of steel and brick, with seventy seven stories to it. It was the tallest building in the world for a few months in 1930, before it was surpassed by The Empire State Building, which was two hundred and four feet taller.”

My head slowly turns to Cat, torn between disbelief at her disturbingly wide knowledge of New York structural design and the temptation to just kiss her senseless for being so adorable.

“How do you spell Chrysler?” asks Trace, peering out of his window at the building looming over us, squinting at the sun’s rays.

“C-H-R--”

“I was kidding,” he interrupts, rolling his eyes at her.

“Oh,” she slumps back into her seat as silence envelops the car again. “Hey,” she begins again, straightening up, “did you know that The Chrysler Building is considered one of New York’s finest displays of Art Deco, because of its sharp angular design?” I shrug halfheartedly. “Well, the spire at the top was probably there solely for the purpose of making it taller than the Bank of Manhattan’s skyscraper, so originally--”

“Cat!” I interrupt loudly, halting her flow of architectural riddles. “It’s a wonder. We get it.”

“Don’t act like some premenstrual bitch with me, Justin,” she snaps.

“I’m just not prepared to spend the next ten minutes listening to list of facts about some stupid building that barely even serves a purpose.”

“No, you’re just not prepared to do anything except brood in a little funk for a while, and then make pissy remarks at me.” She looks at me for a moment, casting a critical gaze over my frown. “It’s not as though I was the one boogieing around the car trying to get a photo.”

“I’m not angry with you. I’m just not in the best of moods.”

“And why are you taking that out on the rest of us?” she asks, folding her arms across her chest defiantly.

I sigh and rub my head vigorously, trying to pull myself from my grumpy disposition. “I’m sorry, but that wasn’t the best welcome.”

“So?” she shrugs. “I’m over it, and so should you be.”

“You’re not in the slightest bit irritated?”

“Of course I am. I was just thinking about how hellish it’s going to be ‘getting used to it’, as Trace put it. But I’m mature enough to realize I will find a while to deal with it,” she shrugs.

“Well having to ‘deal with it’ for ten years makes it somewhat tiresome eventually!” I retort, regretting the words even as they left my mouth. “Excuse me for not saluting the paparazzi like old friends.”

“There’s no need to dramatize this, Justin. You’re acting like a temperamental teenager,” she says, her words become more calm and thoughtful as mine get increasingly more hysterical and frantic.

“But I thought you’d be furious. This is the one thing you said you were worried about, remember? ‘Justin, I don’t want to deal with a bunch of unwashed forty year olds clamoring to get a highly unattractive picture of me’,” I impersonate in a falsetto voice, trying to capture Cat’s pitch.

She chews on her lips, biting back a smile. Trace lets out a snort beside her, and she finally cracks and giggles, her hand flying to her mouth to stifle the sound.

“It’s not funny!” I exclaim, smashing my fist on the cream leather exterior. “You did say that!”

“I know, I know,” she says breathlessly, still laughing slightly. “But you sounded incredibly funny there. That high little voice over yours was just reaching whole new levels!”

I roll my eyes and push my back into the seat, crossing my arms over my chest. I hate it when people laugh at me, it always makes me feel stupid. Especially when it’s Cat and Trace ganging up on me.

“Oh Justin, I’m sorry. Things just got far too serious there,” Cat says, reaching over to pat my knee. “We were arguing over nothing. Let’s just forget about it.”

“But I’m pissed, Cat!” I complain, shaking my head at the bright yellow taxi beside us.

“I know. Your pout really does leave little to the imagination.” I open my mouth to reply, but she swiftly continues. “Justin, why are we letting one tiny photographer ruin our first day here, huh? I’m in a big city for the first time in at least a year. I don’t want to dwell on something as ridiculous as this.”

I begrudgingly nod, and take Cat’s hand in my own. I let out a small chuckle. “Your hands are tiny.”

She scrunches up her nose the way she always does when she doesn’t like something. “I know. It sort of look like a scarecrow where they ran out of material for my hands because they put so much of it on my thighs.”

I roll my eyes and tap her leg, still examining her hands. “Your thighs are just fine.”

“No, seriously, I think one’s bigger than the other!” she exclaims, pulling her pants tightly so that I can see the apparent difference in size. “See?”

“Cat, they’re exactly the same. And anyway, I spent half of my time in between those thighs, don’t you think I’d notice if they were different sizes?”

A deep red blush creeps into Cat’s cheeks as her mouth drops open in shock. My mood immediately notches up to relatively happy at her embarrassed reaction as Trace recoils in his seat.

“Oh yeah, thanks for that Justin. That mental image was just beautifully…vivid.”

Tiny lets out a throaty chuckle from the front seat and suddenly overtakes the tiny car in front of us, making a Mexican wave of movement as the seatbelts try to keep us in our seats despite the swerve. Apart from Cat’s rigid figure, which remains stationary as she continues to stare at me in shock.

“I cannot believe you just said that,” she says, slowly sinking back into her seat as Trace casts an amused eye over her.

“You know it’s true,” I tease, “so you can put those eyeballs back in their sockets. You know, you haven’t looked this shocked since we were browsing through AP and I suggested that I fu--”

The moment she realizes which certain lingerie shop ‘AP’ stands for, her hand flies over my mouth, clearly remembering that lovely shopping trip just a few months ago and exactly how I was going to finish that sentence.

“Stop right there,” she says, her tiny fingers tightly clamped over my mouth as her blush deepens. “Hey-guess-what-I-met-a-fan-of-yours,” she says quickly, clutching at straws to change the direction of the conversation.

“A fan?” I question, tugging her hand from my mouth after giving her palm the slightest bite.

She nods, scowling as she rubs at her hand. “Yup. Called Samantha.”

“How did she know you had anything to do with me?”

She shrugs. “She said something about seeing me out of the window.”

I smirk and recline in my seat. “Did she gauge your eyes out? Pull your hair? Insult you with a procession of unflattering remarks?”

“Oh no, of course not,” Cat shakes her head. “She was really nice. Actually,” she frowns, looking slightly guilty, “I was the one not being very nice.”

“What did you say?”

“Well I thought she was just some random girl coming up to me, and then she started talking about you and she said she knew you were in New York--”

“How on earth did she know that?” I ask incredulously.

“Exactly!” Cat exclaims. “Anyway,” she shrugs, “I was just saying the first thing that came to my head. I admitted I was with you before I even thought about it, but then had sense enough to say I wasn’t your girlfriend.”

“What did you say?”

She blushes sheepishly. “That I was your personal assistant.”

I laugh, the very thought of Cat catering to my every whim just seeming so preposterous in a ‘never going to happen’ way. I can’t even ask for a glass of milk without Cat telling me she won’t give up her independence for me. “I wish,” I snort, unbuckling my seatbelt.

She smiles and shrugs. “Well, I feel sort of guilty now. I mean, I wasn’t so much rude as just…not welcoming. Do you think she hates me?” she asks, biting her lip nervously.

I hop out of the car and hold out my hand to help her out. “No, of course not. She probably just thinks you’re a bit of a bitch.”

“Really?” she whines in an upset tone, taking my hand and gracefully stepping out of the car.

“Of course not,” I shake my head, smiling at her. I place a kiss on her head. “Hey, what shampoo did you use today?”

She runs a hand through her hair self-consciously. “I don’t remember. Why?”

I press my nose to her head again. “You smell of strawberries today. You normally smell of coconuts.” I shrug and steal a quick kiss. “It’s nice.”

She smiles coyly and opens her mouth to say something, but is swiftly cut of by a, “Jesus Christ Justin, you’re so gay!”

Trace jumps out of the car and smirks at both of us. I was about to retort with a fiery comment about his height, but Tiny got out of the car and turned to us, his frown telling us he was not interested in our verbal bashings.

“Okay, I’m going to tell Johnny you’ve arrived and then I got a few errands to run. Justin,” his stern gaze settles on me. “If you plan to go out, even for a walk, call me. Trace, don’t let his white ass think he can go gallivanting around the city with no form of protection. Cat, don’t let him entice you into taking a stroll into Central Park. You’ll be crucified.”

I don’t miss the amusement flashing in his eyes as Cat gasps and instinctively grips onto my hand a little tighter. I simply roll my eyes. “Already beginning with the dramatics, Tiny?” I turn to Cat. “He’s just kidding.”

“I’m not. And let’s not forget I can kick your ass, so just watch what you say white boy,” Tiny smirks, before getting back into the car. “Nice to meet you Cat, we’ll be seeing a lot of each other over the next few months,” he calls through the open window.

Cat nods and lets out a timid, “Good to meet you too.”

Tiny gives us a wave and drives off, and I give her hand a squeeze. “Don’t worry about him. He loves to tease people who are intimidated by him.”

“How can I not be intimidated? He’s huge,” Cat complains, turning the building. “And so is this.”

The towering apartment block looms over our rather pathetic looking figures with its colossal stature. It’s the same as every other uptown place in New York; ridiculously expensive and simply there for showing off purposes alone. I tug on Cat’s hand, pulling her towards the building. I nod at the vaguely recognizable doorman who graciously opens the door and greets us with a, “Sirs, Madam,” before entering the foyer.

Cat’s heels tap on the rigorously polished marble floor, and the varnished mahogany on the walls literally winks at us as the sun hits it. Upkeep in this place is tip top.

Stepping into the elevator, Trace pressed the button for our floor and we hurtle towards the top floor. “Justin bought the penthouse,” Trace explains to Cat, who was staring wide eyed at the number of buttons on the keyboard.

“Thank god there’s an elevator, then,” she mutters. “There was not way I’d drag myself up and down twenty stories worth of staircases every day.”

We slowly crawl to my floor, and the doors open. I happily pull Cat along to my door, fumble with the keys for a moment, before holding the door open for her and letting her in.

As emotionless as Cat can sometimes appear to be, she certainly does react to things interestingly. If you show her something truly amazing, she’ll shrug and call it cliché. If you show her something truly mundane and boring, she’ll rant on about how amazing it is. And, of course, it you talk about her sex life she goes as red as traffic light and threatens to kill you.

She steps into the apartment, her eyes darting in different directions as she gets used to her surroundings. The house in Tennessee was slightly routine and vaguely lacking in personality; yes, yes, my mother decorated it. Perhaps it wasn’t my most masculine moment, but I was eighteen or something, interior design meant as much as spoons to me.

However, the place in New York is one of my homes I actually took great time and aggravation decorating. I was going through an ever so slightly cocky, ‘I’m young and hot and sleeping with everyone’ phase at the time, so traces of a typical bachelor pad can be found in the black leather of the living room couches or the glazed worktops in the kitchen. As time progressed and I calmed down a bit, it’s a little softer around the edges, with rugs and pictures of my family dotted around the house.

“Justin, this is wonderful!” Cat exclaims, going into the kitchen and running her hands over the counters. “This looks just like an episode of Cribs!”

I laugh and wrap my arms around her waist, giving her a little hug. “I’m glad you like it, babe.”

“Because I love these faucets so much, I’ll let you off for that Freudian slip,” she says, grinning as she turns on the faucet to let a jet of water stream out.

I chuckle and place a kiss on her shoulder. “You’ll like my bedroom.”

“Where is it?” she asks, looking around. I point a finger upwards. “There are two floors?” she exclaims, grinning.

I nod, laughing at her enthusiasm. The normally so cool, calm Cat is actually a complete nerd. “Yup. The bedrooms, music room and another TV room are up there.”

She squeals and runs off in search of the staircase, and Trace and I hear her footsteps above our heads a moment later.

“She’s easily pleased,” he comments, laughing at the various squeals of enthusiasm. “It’s good to see her happy again. She’s been a bit rundown these past few days.”

“I know,” I reply, leaning against the counter. “I think we’re going to be okay here. Even with all the drama we’ve had leading up to it.”

“I hope so,” Trace says, hopping onto the worktop. “She dealt quite well with that camera guy.”

I frown, thinking back to the airport. “I suppose she didn’t run off screaming, which is a good sign,” I comment. “But she was shaken up.”

He shrugs. “She’ll get used to it. She was too busy worrying about your grumpy ass to be pissed off about it.”

“Oh my god…look at this closet space!” a cry from upstairs floats downstairs into the kitchen.

I smile and nod. “That’s my Cat. Always putting other people before herself.”

“That’s true. But…” he trails off and sighs. “Unfortunately, you’re being gay again.”

“Shut up,” I retort, reaching out to punch his arm.

“Justin, you didn’t tell me you had a TV that came out of the freaking ceiling!” calls out Cat, before she rushes into the kitchen. “It’s like being in an episode of Star Trek!” she says, leaning against the island in the middle of the kitchen, breathing quickly from running about.

“Cat,” I laugh, “you do realize you’re acting like a teenager, right?”

She grins and nods. “I think it was that caffeine-free coke. It’s made me go crazy from lack of sugar.”

“Here you go, Cat,” says Trace, pulling out a packet of peanuts from his pocket. “Stock up on salt instead.”

She takes the bag from him and opens it up, quickly putting a few nuts into her mouth. “Think of all the places we can go…Central Park, Times Square, Knicks Games…”

“And we’re in the same city that Friends was based in.”

“Exactly,” she agrees, putting the peanuts down.

“Oh, and on Friday I’m meeting my new producer. Want to come with me?”

“Sure. Who is it?”

I shrug. “This relatively unheard of woman that Johnny says is amazing. She used to be a model, but now she’s in music.”

An uncertain look passes over Cat’s face at the word ‘model’, but she doesn’t say anything. “What’s her name?”

“Amber Sunflower.”

Cat snorts slightly. “She sounds delightful. I can’t wait to meet the inspiration of Van Gogh.”

“What?” say Trace and I in unison, frowning at Cat.

“You know, sunflower…as in his most famous painting? And her name…never mind,” she waves off. She checks her watch. “So, what are we going to do for the rest of the day?”

“Well, we’re pretty much stuck without Tiny, so we’ll have to amuse ourselves here.”

“Great!” she exclaims, grabbing our hands. “Me or Trace can go out and get a pizza, we can put in a good film, and christen the new super-cool TV that, oh my god, comes out of the ceiling!” she says happily, rushing off into the living room.

“Seriously, something must be very wrong for her to act this happy,” remarks Trace, clambering off the counter and leafing through a drawer for the pizza place’s flyer.

I shrug. “I think she’s just keyed up from being in a new place. It does make a refreshing difference to the cynicism though.”

Trace laughs. “Oh don’t get too comfy, that’ll be back as soon as she meets that producer of yours.”

“What do you mean?”

“Justin, a model? She’s going to freak out.”

“No she won’t,” I scoff, shaking my head at him. “Cat’s totally cool about that kind of thing. And for all we know, Amber could just be one of those elongated, stick thin models that aren‘t really pretty after all. She’ll be fine.”

He raises an eyebrow and lifts the phone from wall to punch in the number. “We’ll see.”

I shake my head at him and open a drawer in search of my hidden stash of Twinkies. And Trace calls Cat the pessimistic one.

So far, bar the airport incident, New York has treated us pretty well. Me and Cat have nothing to worry about.

Chapter 13 by Teeny
Today’s going to be a bad day.

I was sleeping quite peacefully in the adorably soft white sheets which honestly feel like I was reclining on a cloud, when I was woken up by this odd…scraping sound. Justin and Trace were trying to make omelet (“for me”, apparently, but I have little doubt in my mind that was a pathetic attempt to get on the better of my worse sides) and it went horrifically wrong. I didn’t even know where to start with the coating of charcoal on the base of the pan, so I left the washing up with them to go and get some much needed hot chocolate.

I always feel cool when I go into Starbucks. Everyone is so busy and wrapped up in their own schedule, but they unknowingly look really trendy as they read the paper whilst sipping away at a caramel frappuccino or an iced Expresso. All you need is one of those little cartons in your hand and you’re definitely “with it”.

I got a weird concoction of ice and chocolate topped with whipped cream and was just debating whether I should be nice and go back into the store to get Trace and Justin some coffee (and one of those ridiculously large chocolate chunk cookies), when one of those infernal, omnipresent yellow taxis whizzed past me and positively drenched me in last night’s rainwater. I stood there in shock for a moment, feeling the murky brown water seep through my relatively thin shirt, before turning around and seeing a homeless person on the side of the street laughing his ass off at my expense.

So I decided my large chocolate chunk cookie and I would have to be united another time and headed off home; not after missing a round of catcalls from a group of teenaged boys hanging outside the record shop because my black bra was clearly visible through the soaking material of my shirt. I was going to turn around and tell them exactly how long it was going to be before they got laid, but I took the high road and scuttled back to Justin’s space age apartment.

Justin and Trace…what a pair. They certainly do know the right buttons to push when you’re just incredibly pissed off. Imagine being utterly humiliated in front of half of New York, and then coming home to this:

“Hey, baby. Whoa…what happened to you?” (Insert appropriately horrified expression--as though I had grown an extra head.)

“Cat, you trying to earn a few extra bucks or something?” snorted Trace, his eyes taking a gander down my saturated front and raising an eyebrow at my clearly visible cleavage.

“Shut up,” I retorted, thrusting my drink into Justin’s hand and stomping up the stairs to soak my top; the last thing I need right now is a huge stain saying ‘I’m the kind of idiot that stands too close to the road’ on my favorite shirt.

“Oh, is this for me?” he asked, already sipping at the melting ice. “Do I have to pay extra?” he called up the stairs.

“Shut up!” I repeated, peeling the cold material away from my skin. “I’m really not in the moods for prostitute jokes.”

Justin’s heavy footsteps pounded up the stairs until he was at our bedroom door, grinning. “Baby, why am I getting the feeling you’re pissed off?”

“Why? Oh, I don’t know why, Justin. Perhaps it’s because you and Trace woke me up at a ridiculous hour this morning--”

“Eight thirty, sweetheart. It’s not that bad.”

“And then I got pissed on by some fucking neon cab, so everyone from here to 59th Street now knows my preferred bra choice!” I snapped, heading into Justin’s bathroom and picking one of the three handles to turn, but no water came out. “And now I can’t even turn on the fucking shower!”

He snorted, but quickly stifled his laugh at my thunderous glare. “Here,” he said, twisting on of the handles and causing a spurt of lukewarm water to pour from the showerhead. He kissed the top of my head. “There you go, baby.”

I pouted. “You’re not supposed to be nice to me when I’m being a bitch.”

“If I was like that every time you were a bitch, how successful do you think this relationship would be?”

He dodged the swat I very carefully aimed at his head and grinned as he shut the door. I stood under the water and felt a little of the muscle tension in my shoulders ease up. It’s terrible to be so wound up at nine thirty two in the morning.

I was feeling relatively relaxed until I got shampoo in my eye and had to have Justin assure me I hadn’t poisoned my blood stream with Pantene Pro-V’s Smooth & Sleek. Hey, it could happen.

So, as I was saying…today is going to be a bad day. It’s a well known fact that the first few hours of your day can be a premonition of whether it’s ultimately going to be one of those “I hate the world and it hates me” days or “Wow, I can fit into those jeans…isn’t life wonderful?” days.

Dressed in my second outfit of the day, I plod down the stairs at an alarming slow rate, my footsteps landing heavily on each step. I drag my feet into the living room to see Justin muttering away on the phone in the corner and Trace watching TV, looking incredibly bored.

“Hey Catherine,” he says.

“Hey…Juan,” I reply, throwing myself down into the plush depths of the sofa.

“How’s your eye?”

“Sore,” I reply, rubbing the red skin for the fifteenth time in the last five minutes. “I think I’ve done permanent damage.”

Justin comes to sit next to me on the couch smacks my hand away from my eyes, frowning at me in disapprovingly.

“Alright…no, that’s fine Amber…sure, okay, bye.” He snaps his phone shut and quickly delves into his reprimanding. “Don’t rub it, you’ll make it worse. And you’ve not done permanent damage,” he snorts.

“I think I have. Look,” I point to my pupil frantically. “That’s not supposed to be that color.”

He rolls his eyes and reluctantly looks in the direction of my finger. His annoyed expression quickly fades into a frown and he peers at me curiously. “Oh yeah…oh my god, Cat. Maybe we should get you to a hospital,” he says.

“What?” I reply in shock, blinking rapidly. “Is it that bad?”

“Oh my poor baby,” says Justin, gently touching the skin around my eye with his thumb. “I hope you don’t lose your sight.”

What?!” I repeat in terror, feeling my stomach knot up. “Am I going to lose my sight?”

It takes one moment for me to spy the undertakings of a smile playing on his lips, before it erupts into a full on grin and I hit him with a cushion.

“You asshole!”

“You’re such a prima donna, do you know that?” he giggles, holding up his hands to fend off my strikes.

“And you’re such an unbearable idiot, do you know that?” I mock, unable to keep the smile from my face as I throw my weapon to the side and sulk on the couch with my arms folded.

He taps at my arms until I lift them up and he can rest his head on my lap. “I know. It’s an endearing quality.”

“Yeah, like herpes,” I retort, before seeing his pout. I let out a little grin and run a finger through his hair. “So, was that the stick thin vegetation on the phone?”

He grins and tries to bite my wrist. “I take it you mean Miss Suflower and yes. We gotta go meet her at the studio today.”

“Oh do we?” I counter, wrapping a lock of wet brown hair around my finger absentmindedly. “Did she sound nice?”

He shrugs. “Yeah, she sounded alright.”

“Are you looking forward to it?”

He grins. “Definitely. It’s been far too long since I’ve felt those cans covering my ears, and the--”

“Sorry, the what covering your ears?”

“The cans. It’s what we of the musically gifted call headphones,” he smirks, receiving a swift eye roll from me. “But yeah, it should be fun,” he yawns, stretching out on the couch. “We’re recording at Electric Lady Studios.”

Is that name supposed to mean something to me? “Really? That’s…nice.”

He smirks and looks up at me from his position in my lap. “It’s the place Jimi Hendrix recorded in. It’s pretty dope.”

My fingers stop running through Justin’s hair and I frown. “I’m sorry, it’s pretty…what?”

“Dope.”

“Dope? As in cool?”

“Cat, no one uses cool anymore,” Justin says in a over the top, diva manner, poking me in the stomach. “Everything has to be “the shit” or “dope”.”

“Sorry,” I smile. “I guess I’m just not up-to-date in the lingo of hip pop stars.”

He smiles and closes his eyes, patting my leg. “That’s okay, my Cat.”

My heart melts at ‘my Cat’ and I continue to fondle with the tiny, soft curls sprouting from his head. As much as I hate those ridiculous Hallmark moments that couples have, I can’t imagine wanting to be anywhere else except on the sofa, my wet hair dripping down my back, with Justin’s head on my lap as I stroke his hair. Perhaps today won’t turn out so bad after all.

-----------------------------------------------------------

“So they actually grabbed his crotch?” says Cat through a throng of giggles, barely able to process the words through her laughing mouth.

“Oh yeah, they went straight in for it,” laughs Tiny, easing the car round a corner.

“Justin was practically crying like a little girl,” adds Trace, lowering his magazine to insert his commended opinion into my degrading story of humiliation. “‘I’ve been molested! I’ve been molested!’ he screamed!” Trace snorts, bringing his pitch to an earsplitting high tone, impersonating me. If I wasn’t such a good citizen, his life would have come to a bloody end long ago.

“Well I was!” I complain, placing a hand protectively over my groin. “That girl was going after the Crown Jewels, man. I don’t let just anyone near those babies.”

“Oh my god, Justin, you’re so protective,” laughs Cat, shaking her head as she sips at a replacement frappuccino from Starbucks. “I’m sure it was just a bit of fun.”

“Cat, if Trace leaned over and put his hands on your boobs, what would you do?”

“Justin, I don’t have ‘boobs’, I have breasts,” she says, rolling her eyes.

“I’m sorry, was there an offer for me to squeeze Cat’s boobs in there?” asks Trace, lowering his magazine and reentering the conversation.

“Breasts, Trace, breasts!” Cat corrects exasperatedly.

He waves his hand. “Yeah yeah, whatever…so if I call them breasts do I get to squeeze ’em then?”

“No,” I interject harshly. “No one squeezes Cat’s boobs except me.”

“I’m going to put aside my extreme sorrow that this conversation is even taking place for a moment to just say last time I checked, these breasts where my own,” Cat argues, pointing towards her chest and frowning jokingly.

“Well, you were wrong,” I reply firmly. “In fact, you should really get some sort of tattoos on those babies…you know, like ‘Justin’s Property’ or ‘No Touchy-Touchy…Unless You’re Justin Timberlake, In Which Case Go Ahead’. It would be a great way to let people know whether they could cop a feel, or whether they should keep their distance, don’t you think?”

“I think you’re insane,” she says frankly, unbuckling her seatbelt and raising an eyebrow at me.

Cat thanks Tiny as he opens the door for us, and Trace and I quickly follow her out of the Escalade that has become the official vehicle to shepherd us around New York in. I remember the first time I came to New York with the guys and we were escorted around the city in a tiny Honda. As much fun as it was having Chris on my lap for three months, I’m more than happy with the upgrade.

“Oh crap,” whines Cat, glancing into the tinted window of the car. “I look awful,” she says, ruffling her hair with her hand and pouting at her reflection.

“No you don’t,” I assure her, wrapping my arms around her mid-section and resting my chin on her shoulder. “You look great.”

She smiles. “You’re like a boyfriend robot filled with appreciative comments and special programming about the right times to say them.”

I laugh and kiss her neck. “And you’re like a complete nerd who always seems to draw parallels between me and things that are smarter than myself.”

“I’m not a nerd,” she protests, slapping my cheek very gently and increasing her pout.

“Sure you are,” I reply, grasping her hand and pulling her away from her self-critical staring competition with the car window. “Remember when Trace messed up your sock drawer?”

“Hey, that was completely justified, okay? He put all my pantyhose in with my socks!” she exclaims, as though it was a federal offence.

“So?” murmurs Trace, opening the door to Electric Lady Studios. “I swear Cutie, that is the last time I do any washing for you.”

“Well, nevertheless, I wish your nerdy girlfriend would have had enough sense to do something with my hair today,” she complains again, stopping to run a hand through her hair once more as she catches sight of her image in the glass doors leading into the studio.

“Come on Cat,” I groan, tugging on her hand and pulling her into the building. “Quit using every reflective surface as a mirror and just hurry up!”

She rolls her eyes and falls in step behind me, grumbling a few choice phrases about me under her breath as we walk through the studio. Her grumbling slowly falters off and when I stole a sneaky glance of her out of the corner of my eyes, I saw her wide eyed gaze darting into the corner of the studio, drinking in her surroundings. She looks neither impressed or disappointed, she’s just…examining.

“Do you like it?” I ask, squeezing her hand slightly and snapping her out of her reverie as Tiny approaches the desk to confirm which studio I’m in.

Her eyes take another gander around the 60s themed building, taking in its dark purple and red velour décor. Finally, she nods. “It’s…dope.”

Laughing, I bend down to brush my lips against hers, tucking her hair behind her ear. “I prefer your hair like that, you know,” I point out, as Tiny and Trace head towards Studio A.

“What, frizzy?” she says, grabbing a strand of brown hair and pulling it before her eyes.

“No, curly,” I reply, pulling her closer to me and slipping an arm around her waist.

“Justin, this isn’t curly. And it’s not straight either, it’s just…blah.”

“Ooh, what an excellent addition to the Webster’s Dictionary--blah.”

“Shut up,” she huffs, contradicting her irritated tone by reciprocating my actions and putting her hand around my waist affectionately. “I’m just having a ‘blah’ day, alright? Look, I think I’ve gained weight,” she says as we step into the elevator and she pinches at her hips.

“Ridiculous,” I mutter, rolling my eyes and looking away. “You don’t look any different at all. Actually…” I lift up my shirt and pat the abs in my stomach. “I think it’s about time I called my trainer and had him put me back on an exercise regime.”

Cat laughs and shakes her head in despair. “Why on earth would you, the only person in the world who doesn’t have fat on their legs, need to have a trainer?”

“I think I’m losing muscle definition,” I whimper, tracing my not-as-evident-as-it-should-be six pack.

“Justin, this only confirms my suspicions that you are in fact crazy,” mutters Cat, rolling her eyes and shaking her head again.

“I don’t know why you’re complaining. You’re the one who’ll be benefiting from my new hot bod,” I grin, slyly bringing my hand to her ass and slapping it.

She blushes and smacks my hand away as the elevator dings at our studio. We are met by the tinkling noises of the piano, and no sooner have we stepped into the room the sight of a woman’s back as she sits at the piano greets us. She stops playing and scoots off the bench, pulling down her short denim skirt that seems to have ridden up when she sat down, and approaches us with a broad smile.

“Hi, I’m Amber,” she says happily, holding her hand out to me.

I return her smile and shake her warm hand. “Justin.” I motion behind me and she shakes hand with Tiny, Trace, and a very dubious looking Cat.

The moment my hand returns to my side, Cat grasps it protectively. Casting a quick glance into her direction, the fiery embers of distrust radiating from her as she stares at Amber.

Returning my gaze to Amber, I can’t imagine why. She certainly has the figure of a model, with a tall, slender frame absent of any spare flesh at all. Her indistinguishable color of blondish-brown hair sits in jagged lengths around her oval face, and her wide set green eyes stare at us inquisitively. Her thin physique is quite skeletal in appearance, with none of the Cat’s curves in sight. The excruciatingly short skirt shows miles of long legs, and a lace white tank top and a multi-colored scarf adorn her upper body, showing the distinct outlines of her collarbone.

She’s pretty, very pretty in fact, but so far from my type it’s ridiculous. Her figure is too…skinny, in a way. I can tell straight away she’s one of those girls Cat might refer to as “lucky bitches”, because she could eat a horse and never gain a pound. But to me, I just find it quite boring. Yeah, so she has great legs. Yeah, I could probably lift her up with one hand. Yeah, her green eyes are very intense. But…nah, there's no excitement. Cat has nothing to worry about.

Judging by the firm grip on my hand, I’m not entirely sure she knows this as well as I do.

------------------------------------------------------------

So her name is Amber, right? And her hair is an amber color, a mixture of browns and blondes and reds. How ingenious to call her after her hair color. Wouldn’t it just be fantastic if my name was Boring Mousy Brown?

I wonder whether anyone has every considered dying her hair a horrific red when she was asleep, just so she would have to change her name to Ginger or something. I mean honestly, Amber Sunflower. What a ridiculous, irritating, silly name. I haven’t heard a name that preposterous since that Spice Girl called her child Phoenix Chi or some other embarrassing term that represented “inner strength”. As far as I’m concerned, Amber Sunflower is the worst name in the world.

Listen to me; rambling like some demented housewife who saw her husband talking to the neighbor. I hadn’t had time to dwell on the “Ex model now producer” extravaganza before this day, otherwise I’m sure I would have spent the far too long fretting over it. You know how dramatic and fussy I get over things that are yet to even happen…I suppose you could call me neurotic.

But I think I have every right to have the urge to flush myself down a toilet at the moment. I knew, despite Justin’s claims to the contrary, that I just wasn’t looking my hottest today. It‘s a simple matter of fact. Some days you wake up and your hair is bouncy and tidy, your eyebrows are perfectly arched, your skin is flawless, your lips look pouty, and you’ve just found the outfit that makes proportions your figure perfectly…

Yes. Well.

Today just wasn’t one of those days.

I had accepted I was not exactly the epitome of gorgeousness, but I got sidetracked when I was talking to Justin and didn’t even trouble over the horrific state of my hair. Well, not for long, at least. In fact, I was in a good mood for once.

But then we walked into the studio and met “Amber”.

When I was in good old High School, contemplating suicide and hating life, there was always this gang of popular girls that were just immaculate. In the way they walked, talked, dressed, did their hair, their makeup, their jewelry... It just didn’t seem fair that I was this awkward geek with glasses and numbingly boring hair and yet they were these wonderfully rounded individuals with great teeth and gorgeous hair. Every time I saw those girls it was as though I had stepped in front of one of those mirrors at fair grounds that contorts your shape and makes you look hideous. I felt ugly and ashamed, it was awful.

But back to present day, where I’m a confident, beautiful, self-assured woman dating Justin Timberlake. As hilarious as that description of myself may be, it was exactly how I didn't feel when I met the walking twig. I was zapped right back into high school again, in front of the same gang of girls, feeling the same depressing things.

She was wearing one of those skirts that guys always look up to see whether the girl is wearing underwear or not.

The type of skirt I would look awful in.

She had this very stylish, trendy haircut, with carefully swept bangs and choppy layers.

I haven’t changed my hairstyle in three years.

She had an aura of bubbly confidence about her, as though she knew exactly how fantastic her life was.

I couldn’t be more pessimistic if I was dead.

So you see? Can you possibly grasp the suffocating feeling of inadequacy I felt the moment I laid eyes on her? I know the second I tell Justin any of this, he’ll launch into some sermon about self-esteem and my lack of it, etc, etc, and I’ll switch off before snapping back with some sarcastic reply. Perhaps I do have low self esteem, but I assure you it’s not by choice. I would give anything to be able to walk up to Amber confidently and feel terrific as I introduced myself. I would love to be a more social, approachable person, and that I didn’t scare off people with my immediate deadpan responses to everything.

But sadly, I can’t change who I am. And I do mean, sadly.

My only strand of confidence was Justin. He seemed a little taken aback with my somewhat fierce hand lock, but I had the awful feeling that if he wasn’t holding me up, I would have just fallen down. Not to mention the fact I was making it very clear to Amber who had priority over Justin. Dogs pee on their territory, I hold its hand. I am more willing to ignore the fact I haven’t been this immature since I demanded a later bedtime when I was seven, but I have been known to act in strange ways in the face of challenge.

“Cat!” A sharp voice jolts me from my thoughts.

I snap to alert. “Yes…sorry…yes?”

Justin frowns at me, before nodding towards a velvet couch in the corner. “I’m going to listen to some of Amber’s beats. Do you want to listen, or sit over there with Trace?”

“I’ll sit over there with Trace,” I reply, so engrossed in my thoughts Justin’s question was slightly hazy.

“Are you okay?” he asks, peering at me curiously. “Do you feel ill?”

I smile. “Yeah, I’m fine. You go…” I point over towards the table of different buttons and switches. “Make music.”

He sends me a confused look, before smiling. “Alright. I’ll talk to you in a few.” He drops a kiss on my lips, in full view of Amber, before sitting down in front of the table and messing around with the buttons.

Feeling ever so slightly smug about my kiss, I saunter over to the couch and collapse next to Tiny and Trace.

The welcoming cushions of the couch support me and remind of Justin’s bed back in the apartment, from which I was cruelly torn from at a ludicrous hour. Settling down into the sofa, I yawn and lean my head back, staring at the red lights above me.

I knew today was going to be a bad day.

Chapter 14 by Teeny
“And I mean…yeah! That beat was just…bangin’! Don’t you think so, Cat?” exclaims Justin as he tosses his jacket carelessly in the direction of the couch, letting it slip off the leather upholstery and fall in a crumpled heap on the floor.

He ignores it and glances in the direction of the mail he didn’t have time to look at this morning, the broad grin on his face never faltering. I smile and pick up his coat, folding and placing it gently on the back of the sofa. Justin is normally never so careless and lackadaisical with his belongings, Trace can often be seen shouting “anal” as Justin meticulously folds his clothing; but today he doesn’t seem to mind in the slightest.

“It sounded wonderful,” I say softly, watching as he opens a letter. He glances up and nods feverishly, grinning at me. He’s so adorable; like a kid who just won first prize at the science fair. He’s full of smiles and laughs and eyes full of happiness.

I wish I could be more like him, or the happy, animated girlfriend I really should be. But of course, I’m not. I sort of dozed in the studio for a few hours, caught between sleep and consciousness, before Trace offered to go out and get everyone some dinner and I tagged along with him, just to get out of the stuffy studio.

But it was interesting to watch Justin work. I’ve never really seen him quite so dynamic and enthusiastic about anything as he was when he was flicking all those switches and pushing various buttons. He has an impeccable ear; he would take one noise that quite frankly sounded like a wounded animal howling out its last words, mix it with another deep bass thumping noise and suddenly, this wonderfully melodic beat would be pouring from the speakers.

As much as it kills me to admit it, him and Amber work quite well together; even a clueless bystander such as myself could see that. They sat for what felt like hours, discussing what they wanted the sound to be like, and using all these weird words like ‘rhythm’ and ‘tempo’ in every sentence. It all sounded like gibberish to me, and yet they somehow produced something amazing. I thought it was finished, but Justin said it was just a tiny sample of something on a much grander scale, which would require lyrics, crescendos, change in dynamics, small noises that would contribute to the finished product…it made my head ache just thinking about it, but Justin can’t wait to get started.

“Did you like Amber?” I ask as nonchalantly as I can, staring down at his jacket and smoothing my hand over the material.

“Yeah,” he nods enthusiastically, putting a letter back into its manila envelope. “She’s very talented, from what I’ve seen so far.”

“Mmm,” I agree, tracing my name into the downy material of his jacket.

“Yeah, I’m going to bring in my guitar tomorrow and we’re gonna see if we can add a gentle strumming tune in the background,” he says gleefully, approaching the couch and kneeling on it, so that he is facing me. “Obviously she’s not going to be the only producer I work with, but she’s definitely a good start.”

Looking up at him, I smile weakly. “I was very proud of you today. You’re so sweet when you work it’s sickening.”

“Really?” he raises his eyebrow, his happy grin turning cocky. “Are you sure I’m not so sexy it’s sickening?”

I pause as though contemplating it, before shaking my head. “No, I think I was right the first time.”

He laughs and snakes his hands around my waist, pulling me closer to him and the back of the couch, which forms a barrier between us. “So, do you like Amber?” I give out a non committal shrug. “Skinny, isn’t she?” he says, wrinkling his nose.

“Malnourished,” I snap, before hurriedly bringing my temper down from its sudden rise. “I mean…she’s a little on the slim side, yes.”

He smirks. “Cat…” he begins in an all-knowing, slightly amused tone.

“What?” I reply defensively. He can’t know that I’ve already planned out a complex strategy to make sure she doesn’t lay one hand on Justin, could he? I thought I was very discrete about my slight aversion to her.

“The answer is no Cat, you didn’t hide the fact you hated her from the moment you laid eyes on her,” he says simply, grinning at my shocked expression.

It appears Mr. Timberlake has another talent to add to his increasingly large list of attributes--mind reading. “I don’t hate her…”

“It’s alright, I was jealous of Sean too,” he interrupts. “It’s just natural to be a little wary of your significant other’s work buddy.”

“Well, exactly,” I reply, amazed by Justin’s sensitivity to the subject. I’m worried; he’s been disturbingly close to being perfect all day.

“And remember how you used to always tell me I was being paranoid and that I had nothing to worry about?” he says, pulling my even closer and looking up at me with sparkling eyes.

“I’m vaguely aware of such conversations…” I mumble, feeling a smile tug at the corner of my lips.

“Well, I can just reiterate the same thing to you, before you get yourself worried about Amber and myself having hot sex in the studio. Just remember that you’re agonizing over nothing, as usual,” he rolls his eyes.

“But Justin!” I whine, placing my hands over his shoulders, “It’s easier said than done. Of course I’m jealous of some anorexic musical prodigy who, let’s be honest, is not exactly suffering from bad looks. And you two are going to be stuck inside a little hot studio, with nothing to do but--”

My complaints were cut off by Justin’s lips crashing upon my own, halting any of the irrational rambles pouring from my mouth. My instinct is, naturally, to kiss him back, and soon our mouths are battling against each other frantically, so used to kissing each other that our lips know exactly how to move at the exact right time. I’m vaguely aware that we were about to have a debate of some importance, but the thought lingers in my mind for a disappointingly short time before leaving again.

After the first wave of urgency, our kiss trails off and Justin pulls away. Oh, just wipe that cocky smirk off of your face, Mr. Timberlake.

“You were saying?”

“Shut up,” I protest, pushing his chest gently. “You think that you can get just anywhere with that stupid animal magnetism of yours.”

“That’s because I can,” he shrugs before crouching to avoid another hit. “Come on Cat, you know Amber isn’t my type.”

“Talented, slim and beautiful? Oh, I know; you’ll be beating her away with a stick.”

“Cat, please don’t do this,” he groans, resting his forehead on a very distracting place in the middle of my chest. “I really don’t want to have to worry that my work is causing strain on you or our relationship.”

“Neither do I, but I can’t help my natural reactions.”

“But you can, Cat,” he says, looking up again. “Isn’t my word enough comfort for you? Can’t you just trust me?”

“I do trust you,” I reply.

“Then why did you look at Amber like she was a leper for five hours?”

“I did not!” I protest. “I just…”

“You know Cat, we can’t keep on having this discussion. When are you going to learn that as long as I’m with you, I’m with you, and only want to be with you, exclusively…alright?”

“But Justin, she was at least twenty five pounds skinnier than I am!”

“So?” he retorts, shrugging indifferently. “Who cares?”

“Me.”

“Well if it bothers you so much, why don’t you do something about it?”

My heart jumped painfully in my chest as I step back in hurt, frowning at him. “Are you saying I should lose weight?”

“No, I’m saying you should do something about your shockingly bad self-esteem and if losing weight would make you feel better, then maybe you should think about it.”

Incoherent thoughts began crashing into each other, one after the other. Justin wants me to lose weight? Was this just the perfect opportunity for him to say so without hurting my feelings? Has he been wanting to say something for a while now?

Wait…perhaps I’m being irrational. Perhaps he’s genuinely just looking out for me. After all, he always does tell me I should do something about my low confidence, even going as far to say he’d pay for me to go to one of those “I love me” workshops with someone in a long white robe chanting about self-worth and the joys of masturbation.

Of course I would feel better about myself if I could get into a gorgeous pair of size four jeans, or if I didn’t find myself slipping quite easily into some stores’ plus sizes. I almost died at Old Navy the other day when I initially picked up a size twelve pair of pants and then found it I had to hold my breath for fifteen seconds before they buttoned up, only to find that breathing wasn’t actually an option once they were tied. Not to mention the cruel, unflattering mirror in the changing room that made me look like Homer Simpson on one of his bad days. It’s all the lighting’s fault, I swear.

“Cat, I’m really not trying to make you feel bad, but I just hate to see you get in a state over the tiniest of things.” He rubs my back reassuringly. “Maybe if you felt more comfortable in your own skin, you wouldn’t have that kind of problem.”

“Well…do you want me to?”

“I want you to do whatever you think is best for you.”

Sounds like a bullshit answer to me. “I’ll think about it,” I say quietly, unlatching his arms from my waist and turning away, feeling an odd tugging on my stomach that lets me know I’m about to dissolve into tears.

I walk into the kitchen, battling a furious war with my lips, which seem intent on drooping and letting out a howl of despair. I hear Justin quickly scramble off the couch and his footsteps follow the pattern of mine, until he joins me in the kitchen.

“Cat, I didn’t mean--”

“I’m fine, don’t worry about it,” I interrupt, bending down to pull a bottle of water from the fridge before pushing past him and jogging up the stairs.

“Cat, why are you--”

Desperately trying to block out his voice, I hurry into our bedroom, swigging the ice cold water to calm myself. I’m not angry at him, I just have that feeling as though someone’s torn out my heart and played volleyball with it. So not too bad, really.

No sooner have I shut the door, it is reopened, and Justin quickly enters our room. “I think you took what I said in the exact way I didn’t want you to take it--”

“I think I got it crystal clear, actually,” I reply in a choked voice, opening the closet door to block him from my sight but also to search for something to wear to bed. Why are women so prone to tears? Why can’t I be as emotionless, cold and impenetrable as I thought I once was?

As my shaking hands sift through the various nightwear, Justin slowly walks up behind me. He makes the wise decision to not touch me; he must have realized if he even tries to pull any kissing or lovey-dovey shit with me right now, I’ll turn around and slap him.

“Why are you making a huge deal out of this?” he asks softly.

“I’m not. I already told you I’m fine,” I snap back, pulling out a particularly unappealing pair of baggy sweatpants and a shapeless white T-shirt. What’s the point in wearing that gorgeous satin slip with lace trim from Victoria’s Secret if I just look like an elephant anyway?

“I can’t believe you’re getting pissed off at me for trying to make you feel better!” he exclaims in indignation.

Gritting my teeth together to bite back a response, I put a hand on my hip, holding my clothes with my other. “Excuse me.”

“Where are you going?” he asks, crossing his arms across his chest.

“The bathroom.”

“Why?”

“To get changed,” I reply, stepping to the left to get past him.

He quickly two steps me, blocking my path. “Now you’re just being ridiculous.”

“If I don’t feel comfortable changing in front of you, then I won’t!”

“Why wouldn’t you feel comfortable around me?” he demands, squinting at me. “I’m your boyfriend.”

“And also the guy who thinks I should lose weight!” I shout in a tone not entirely required, before barging straight through him and heading to the bathroom.

“You are so hypersensitive, do you know that?” he yells, falling into step behind me as I roll my eyes and storm towards the bathroom. “I can’t even talk to you without you freaking out.”

“I don’t freak out!”

“Oh yeah? Then what were you doing when you were fussing over whether you should leave pisshole Tennessee? Or the way you can’t stand me being with another woman who weighs less than four hundred pounds and dream up an affair before I’ve even had the chance to have one?!”

“Says the guy who would call me at work every two minutes to check I hadn’t fucked Sean by the photocopier!” I retort furiously, spinning around to face him.

“That’s different…” he sneers. “You two had a history. You already can’t bear the thought of me and Amber!”

Feeling my mouth dry up with no response, I spit, “Amber and I,” before turning around again and heading towards the bathroom, mentally scolding myself. Did I just use grammar as a way to respond to an argument? Jesus, no wonder I was never on the debating team at school.

“Whatever!” Justin answers, once again pursuing me to the bathroom. “The fact is you have issues.”

“And you don’t?” I reply angrily, resting my hand on the door handle to the bathroom. “You freak out if anyone else even shows the tiniest bit of attraction for me…what the fuck is wrong with this door?” I demand urgently, yanking the handle up and down and leaning into the door, which refuses to budge.

“I’m having a relaxing bath,” calls out Trace’s voice from inside the bathroom. “You’re going to have to go and have your argument somewhere else; I put in a ton of bath crap in here, I ain’t getting out for a while.”

“Shit,” I mutter, shaking my head. My head snaps up to Justin again to see his piercing blue glare staring straight back at me. Am I overreacting? Did he really mean it in a helpful way? No, no…I’m just making excuses for him.

Brushing past him and advancing back to our bedroom, I bite my lip to stop the telltale tears filling my eyes and spilling down my cheeks. Putting on an angry façade is so much easier than admitting I feel like I’ve been run over by a steamroller twice because Justin isn’t happy with the way I look.

Sitting down on the edge of my side of the bed, I carefully refold the undeniably comfortably potato sacks. I can’t help the mist clouding my vision as blurry tears form in my eyes, begging for release. I blink rapidly and let out a telling shaky breath. Although I am obnoxiously facing away from Justin, I can hear him come into the bedroom and slowly close the door, the soft click of the latch assuring me he’s shut out the world. It’s just me and him.

Great.

“Baby…”

Immediately, I know he’s going to stop being horrible and take the different approach of buttering me up. Hence the gentle, ‘baby’. Keeping my back to him, so as not to be swayed by his achingly deep blue eyes, I listen as he takes a deep breath before beginning.

“I wasn’t trying to make you upset, and I’m sorry if you thought I was insulting you. I just…” The bed shifts and he’s obviously sat down on it. “I just hate having to stand by the sidelines and watch you tear yourself to pieces, you know? I can’t bear knowing that you have all these wonderful qualities, that you just….you just can’t see,” he says exasperatedly, his gentle tone an odd lullaby to my ears.

Don’t cry Cat, don’t do it. It’s not worth it, crying really isn’t attractive, so just swallow those tears and--

Oh crap.

“Cat, don’t cry,” he says, crawling behind me and pressing into my back, kneeling behind me. “I hate seeing you cry.”

“I’m sorry,” I splutter through my pathetic tears. “I know you weren’t trying to be mean, I just…” I trail off and feel another bout of watery emotion build up behind my eyes. “I don’t know, I’m sorry. And not just for crying, for being a bitch in the hallway.”

“That’s alright,” he whispers, pulling back my hair and placing it behind my shoulder. “I’m sorry too. I can’t exactly reprimand you about Amber when I was exactly the same with Sean.”

“No, you were right. I don’t even have any grounds to get worried about you and Amber, you guys barely know each other.”

“Well, I didn’t want to make you feel bad by saying you should lose weight. I don’t mean you should, I meant if it’s something that bothers you so mu--”

“No, no, I know,” I interrupt, wiping away the dregs of my tears. “I just think I automatically take anything to do with weight of looks personally,” I reply, smiling weakly and turning to look at him.

He smiles. “I can’t argue with that.”

“Bastard,” I mutter, punching him in the shoulder and wiping my cheeks again.

“Are you okay?” he asks, his large hand working in small circles across my back.

I shrug. “I feel all stuffy from crying,” I laugh, “and I can’t believe we’re the kind of couple who practically run each other over with apologies after arguments.”

He laughs and wraps his arms around my waist, kissing the side of my head. “Well, it was a pretty ferocious argument.”

“One of our best,” I reply, giggling.

He sniggers and begins a trail of butterfly kisses down my cheek to my neck. “You did come up with a pretty pussy reply, though. Amber and I?”

Laughing, I shrug, catching our reflection in the window. “I was desperate.”

“I’m desperate too…” he sighs into my ear, his lips continuing their dance over my neck and shoulders.

“Desperate for what?” I ask, grinning.

“For you, baby,” he whispers huskily, before laughing.

Throwing the sweatpants and shirt to the side, I turn around to face him, getting on my knees to be roughly the same height as he is. “Worst pick up line…ever.”

“Hey, give me some credit,” he shrugs, grinning boyishly. “I slipped it in quite nicely.”

“You’re a dork,” I shake my head disapprovingly, leaning in for a kiss.

He sniggers slightly before slipping his hands up my shirt and rubbing my skin. My fingers quickly go to work at the button of his jeans, deftly working to undo them. He mutters something along the lines of “frisky…are we?” before shutting up all together as my fingers tease by dancing along the band of his boxers. His eyes flutter close and he whispers, “Just do it.”

I giggle. “You’re lucky I’m not selfish in bed.”

His eyes, an oddly darker blue, open and stare at me intensely. “And you’re lucky I’m not going to punish you for being a tantalizer.”

“And how exactly would you punish me?”

He pompously pushes his nose up in the air and crosses his arms over his chest. “I wouldn’t have sex with you.”

Unable to stifle the giggles he so wants to hear, I smile. “Okay, I’m sorry.” He still remains in his statuesque position. “Come on Justin, I can’t exactly do it on my own.”

He slowly turns back to face me, raising an eyebrow. “Well…you could. And I could watch as you did so,” he offers, grinning devilishly.

Genuinely appalled by the porn-esque crap that comes out of Justin’s mouth, I smack him on the chest. “Absolutely not.”

“It might be fun…” he says teasingly, raising his both eyebrows for effect.

“And you might be dead if you don’t shut the hell up,” I retort, waiting until I turn away to let the smile break across my face. One of these days I’ll just agree to one of Justin’s disgusting sexual proposals, just to see the look of shock on his face.

Leaning over to unzip my boots, Justin’s warm touch starts to tug at the bottom of my shirt as his lips return to kiss the sensitive spot behind my ear. Smirking slightly, I kick off my boots and straighten up. As cocky as it sounds, Justin is not one to often pass off sex. Particularly when we’ve just had an argument; it always seems to make things better, and sort of melts away the horrible things we may have said to each other during out disagreement, reaffirming our feelings for each other.

I slowly back up into the middle of bed, letting my shirt fall to the floor thanks to Justin’s ever-smooth moves. I lie among the pillowy heaven of our bed as Justin trickles kisses over my skin, occasionally licking me cheekily and causing me to squirm and giggle beneath him.

“Maybe I’ll do it,” I whisper, feeling his hot breath tickle my lower stomach.

“Do what?” he murmurs distractedly, working the zipper of my pants.

“You know…lose some weight, perhaps get a new haircut,” I reply, reaching down to pull his T-shirt over his head. He looks up at me, resting his stubbly chin on my stomach.

“Do you think that’ll make you feel better about yourself?”

“I know it will,” I mumble looking away from him for a moment. “I mean…I know I’m no different from any other girl out there, I’m not hideously fat, I’m not repulsively bad looking…but maybe that’s what bothers me. I’ve never been different, I’ve never been unique. I’ve always just been…me.” To my great horror, my throat begins to clog up with tears again, and I squeeze my eyes shut before the tears even think of building up.

I don’t see Justin come back up to my eye level, but I can feel him gently kissing my cheeks and the one tear that sneaks out of my eyelids.

“Well, I think you’re wonderful,” he says, his arms wrapping around my waist, enveloping me in his embrace.

“I know you do,” I whisper, placing my hands on his neck and kissing his cheek.

“And maybe one day you’ll see I’m right,” he replies, tilting his head to the side to drop kisses on my neck.

Tracing the Celtic cross tattoo on his left bicep, a warm feeling spreads from the bottom of my stomach through my body. “You know…sex does actually always make me feel good about myself.”

“All the more reason to have it.”

I giggle and grip his arm as a little spasm of pleasure shot through me when he grinded into me. “Seriously though, it’s such a feel-good activity.”

“And good exercise. Hey, why don’t I just forget my trainer and we go at it like rabbits instead of working out?”

Laughing, I shrug. “But won’t Trace feel left out?”

“Well if that’s what you’re into…” he playfully bites my neck very softly.

“But I suppose it shouldn’t take sex to make me feel like that.”

“No, you should just know it anyway,” he replies, descending once more, using kisses as a hiker’s trail down to the top of my panties.

“I do, sometimes. It’s just…there are other times when I feel like I have absolutely nothing going for me. As though everyone in the world has a talent except me.”

“You’re talented,” he whispers, glancing up at me. “You’re good at writing, you’re good at making people laugh, you’re good at making people feel better--”

“Unless I’m the one who made them feel bed in the first place. I mean, I know I can be horrible at times. In fact, I can be such a bitch. Take today…I haven’t told you once that I’m happy for you because of the chemistry you and Amber seem to have, I just spent all my time whining about how slim she was. And I am happy for you, I really am, but I always let my selfish feelings override--”

My rambles are muffled by Justin’s lips crushing against my own, massacring my feeble ramblings.

“Cat, just…shut up, okay?” he whispers against my lips. “And let me make you feel really good, alright?”

He drops one more kiss on my lips, before kissing his way back down my body.

And this time, he stays there.




Chapter 15 by Teeny
I think she’s hot, man. You know I’m more into skinnier girls, so maybe that’s why I like her.”

“I can understand why you would, she is attractive. But boring, you know? As in…where are the curves? How is she any different from a dude?”

“Justin, if you‘re calling me gay…” Trace threatens, narrowing his eyes at me menacingly.

I roll my eyes and click my seatbelt off my, flinging it behind my back. “You know what I mean. Amber’s just a little too on the anorexic side for me.”

“She’s not anorexic,” Trace defends. “That’s her natural body shape, and it looks great on her.”

I shrug. “You’re right. But I want more on the T and A scale.” Thank god Cat’s not with me…I can almost hear the disapproving feminist tone.

“Well, I wouldn’t mind hittin’ that,” says Trace, resting his hand on the door handle as Tiny pulls up in front of my apartment building.

Trace and I hop out, saying goodbye to Tiny, who squeezes in one last complaint about being the ‘fucking designated driver’, before speeding off. As soon as my Nike-clad feet hit the cold gray concrete of the sidewalk, the clickety-click of photos being taken and a bright flash of light in the dark to my right attracts my attention momentarily. The sight of three photographers squatting on the sidewalk outside of the grounds of my home, their faces concealed by the large black cameras strapped to their eyes, greets my gaze. I bow my head and quickly stride into the building, letting the old, camera-wary Justin take over and block out their existence.

“I wonder how long they’ve been there,” Trace says behind me as I get into the grounds of my apartment, resisting the temptation to turn around the paparazzi and say ‘Thanks to privacy laws, you can’t come on my property or I’m legally allowed to shoot you, so ha!’.

“Probably not long after they caught sight of that article this morning,” I mutter bitterly, casting a contemptuous gaze in the direction of the now silent cameras that are hidden behind the gates. “Excuse me, but how long have those photographers been out there?” I ask the wizened doorman standing at the entrance of the building in a dark navy blue suit.

“They came not long after your young house guest left about five hours ago, Mr. Timberlake,” he replies.

I frown. “What…after Cat left?”

He nods. “Yes sir.”

“So they didn’t get a picture of her?”

“No sir, she had already been gone for twenty minutes before they arrived.”

“Do you know what time she came back?”

“I haven’t seen her yet, sir.”

Pausing to jut out my bottom lip in confusion, I shrug. “Okay, thanks.”

He nods and opens the door for us as we walk into the ostentatious foyer of the apartment block. “I wonder where Cat went,” I murmur casually, hitting the white circle with the black twenty on it in the elevator to get up to my floor.

“Shopping?” Trace offers tiredly, tilting his head tiredly against the mirror and closing his eyes. Today was a long day; Amber and I were elaborating on what we had done yesterday and the time sped by without me even realizing. We barely know each other, and yet we have this unstoppable creative energy that just weaves everything together perfectly.

But working in the studio for ten hours can somewhat drain one’s get-up-and-go factor. The constant tweaking and altering that has to be done to every single little thing…it’s exhausting. There’s nothing I want more than to just crawl into bed and have Cat stroke my hair as she talks about random clever crap that I don’t understand. Last night she made the terrible mistake of trying to explain the judicial heresy…she was unsuccessful.

The doors slide open as I shrug in response to Trace’s suggestion. She probably did come back, the door guy just didn’t realize. After all, where the hell could she be at quarter past ten on a Wednesday night? We’ve not even been here for a week, so she doesn’t know the area well enough to go out walking in the middle of a dangerous city late at night.

Trace and I stumble into the apartment, more from tiredness than anything else. “Cat!” I call out, throwing my keys onto a small utterly useless table that was put into the hallway for appearance reasons alone, letting them slide across the polished mahogany surface. “Cat!” I repeat, kicking off my sneakers and plodding up the stairs slowly.

Poking a head around the doorway of our bedroom, I frown when I find it empty and slightly messy. I’m a tidy person by nature and can’t go to sleep if there’s that much disorder to my bedroom, and although Cat isn’t quite as “anal” as I am, she’s not sloppy. The jaunty angle of one of the drawers sticking out of the chest with a bundle of clothes all bunched up and crushed catches my eye. It looks as though someone was rushing through the drawers in such a hurry that they didn’t take much care with the folded clothes or even bother to shut the drawer. That doesn’t sound like Cat. She can rifle through the drawers without making such a mess.

My eyes flit around the room, taking in the rumpled appearance of the made bed. Although the comforter has been placed over the mattress and the corners tucked down, creases and ruffles contour the canvas of white, as though someone’s been stacking things on the bed or…I don’t know, jumping on it?

“What on earth…” I mutter, frowning as I walk into the room and slowly tidy up a bit, straightening out the bedspread and bumping in the drawer before closing the open closet doors. “Trace!” I yell.

“Yeah?” comes a reply from the kitchen.

“Is Cat down there with you?”

There’s a pause, before a, “Unless she’s hiding behind the couch, don’t think so!” is returned. Rolling my eyes, I quickly check all the rooms on the top floor; peaking into Trace’s room, checking the TV room, the music room in case she’s playing around on the piano, the work out room in case she suddenly had a spurt of energy to exercise, and all the bathrooms. I even walk out onto the balcony and up the fire escape stairs to the roof, despite knowing Cat is too scared of falling to her death to go dancing about on the top of a twenty storey building in the dark.

The prickly feeling of panic begins to rise in my throat as I jog down the stairs with a lot more urgency than I had on the way up. That’s what I hate about having a fairly big home--you just can’t keep tabs on people that way that you would like to. You’ll drive yourself crazy with worry thinking that someone you love has been brutally murdered with a pickaxe, until you realize that they are, in fact, reading at the opposite end of the house.

“Trace, she’s gone!” I exclaim, rushing into the kitchen, my eyes darting around for any sign of her.

“Gone where?”

“Gone…gone! She’s just…not here!”

“So? She’s still out. What’s the big deal?”

Why does this always happen? A nerve-racking experience arises and I tear my hair out with anxiety as Trace remains cool, calm and collected. Why can’t I be the level-headed one who never shows his worry? I swear, Trace makes me look like such a chick.

“Out at ten thirty in New York City? She’ll get shot, or raped, or…oh my god, there possibilities are endless,” I groan, clamping a hand over my eyes. “No…no, Cat’s not that stupid. She wouldn’t just go out meandering the streets of New York without letting anyone know. Especially when she doesn’t know the area very well.”

“Perhaps she went to the studio to meet up with us?” Trace suggests, slapping two buttered pieces of bread separated by a slice of ham together and taking a bite out of it.

“I doubt it,” I mumble, chewing anxiously on the skin of my thumb. “And the doorman said she left five hours ago. That’s ample time to get to the studio fifty times over.”

“I don’t suppose in the midst of your overreacting you ever considered calling her cell, did you?” Trace says calmly, taking another bite of his sandwich and staring at me in a way that makes me question my own intelligence.

“Of course!” I exclaim, digging into my pockets for my cell phone. I pull it out and flip it open, seeing a message typed out in black bold letters across the screen--1 New Voicemail. When I’m recording, I put all noise and vibrations of my phone off so as to not distract me. That was why I didn’t get the message. Note to self: don’t do that again.

“That’s probably from her, right?” I question, staring at Trace desperately. He nods slowly, looking at me curiously as though I’ve said something incredibly stupid. Which I haven’t, right?

Just as I was about to press the button that said ‘listen’, a flashing light with the name Cat displayed on the screen.

“Hello?” I answer quickly, bringing the phone to my ear.

“Hey,” comes a small voice softly through the phone line.

“Cat, baby, is that you? Are you okay? Where are you? I came back and you were gone!”

There was a slight chuckle down the line amid Trace’s, “She’s not a dog, Justin…”, but I ignored him and pressed the phone closer to my ear.

“Didn’t you get my message?” she asks in a tired voice.

“I just got it when you called,” I reply. “I haven’t had the chance to listen to it yet. What’s wrong? Where are you?”

She sighs. “I’m in Ohio.”

“What?!” I shout loudly, causing Trace to jump a foot in the air and almost drop the orange juice that he was rooting about in the refrigerator for. “Why the hell are you in goddamn Ohio? Have you left me?”

“Justin,” she snorts, “You really bring a whole new perspective to being melodramatic, do you know that?” At my sigh of annoyance, she continues. “No, of course I’ve not left you. There have been family problems, that’s all.”

“What kind of problems?”

“Do you remember Malcolm? My sister Sophie’s husband? You met him at Thanksgiving; he’s got sort of dirty blonde hair and glasses.”

“Yeah…” I reply cautiously, my heart gradually decreasing its rapid beating to a normal pace.

“Well, he’s left Sophie.”

“What? I thought they were okay.”

“So did everyone. But clearly they aren’t, and he’s left…I don’t know. I’m not aware of all the details; all I know is that Sophie’s got Cam to take care of, work to do…not to mention she’s crushed about her marriage. She needs someone to help her right now.”

“But can’t you’re mom help her?” I demand, before realizing just how selfish I sounded. I suppose I can’t help it. I just want Cat all to myself.

“No, she’s…she’s got my dad to worry about,” says Cat hesitantly, an ever wearier, more depressed tone taking over her voice.

“Your pops? What’s wrong with him?”

She’s quiet for a moment, before a choked sob rips its way out of her throat, startling me.

“Cat, what’s happened?”

“Oh God Justin, it was so awful. I had to go and see him in hospital, and he just looked so helpless on that cold bed surrounded by all those machines…”

“Baby, slow down, I can’t understand you. Just tell me what happened,” I say as calmly as I can, trying to soothe her as she rambles incoherently. Trace frowns and steps closer to me, folding his arms across his chest as he leans against the island and listens.

“He had a stroke.” My mouth drops open wordlessly but she carries on before I can utter a thing. “Not a major one. We were lucky. And I know he’ll be out in a week or so, but it’s just so horrible to see him in that place…” she breaks off into a sob again, her gentle cries hitting every single nerve of mine.

“Oh sweetheart, are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” she splutters through her tears, her voice contorted from her crying. “Everything just happened so…so quickly, and suddenly. I mean, what if he had died Justin…”

“Baby, he’s not going to die,” I firmly establish, the image of her breaking down in tears stabbing my heart like a knife tipped with poison. “Everything’s going to be fine.”

“Really?” she sniffs.

“Of course. This has just all happened so unexpectedly and you’re a little overwhelmed at the moment. Why don’t you go and take a nice long bath, and then go to bed, hmm? Things will seem ten times better in the morning.”

She sighs, her breathing calming down to a less erratic speed. “I suppose so. My head is just buzzing. I’m sorry I left so abruptly, but it’s not like I was doing anything up there and I may as well help out as much as I can before I start looking for work, so…”

“No, I understand. It’s not your fault,” I reply, kicking the soles of my socked feet against the floor. “Do you want me to come up there?”

She pauses, and I can just see her biting her lip like she does when she’s torn between decisions. Finally, she answers, “No…no, I can’t ask you to do that. Not when you’ve just started work on your album and--”

“Sweetheart, you know you mean more to me than a thousand albums. If you need me up there, I’ll be there in a second.”

She sighs, and to my horror I think I hear her crying again. “Oh God, Justin, I know you would…”

Just as I was preparing to hang up and call for the next flight, her voice came through again, more determined. “No, no…I won’t let you do that. I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure? Because I could probably get a flight tomorrow morning.”

“No, honestly, I’ll manage. You just work hard on making musical history up there,” she laughs. “How was the studio today?”

“Fine. Amber and I were doing really well.”

“I will be calling Trace regularly to check that things with you two are purely platonic…”

Her laugh tells me that she’s just teasing and I smile. The grin fades however, as I look down at my feet. “When are you coming home?” I ask shyly.

She sighs. “I don’t know. I mean, my mom needs help with my dad, Sophie needs help with Cameron, it sounds like Dawn is freaking out over the whole situation…I could be down here for a few weeks.”

“But Cat--”

“I’m sorry Justin, but I have to be here. You know I’d rather be in New York sightseeing and taking my first walk in Central Park, but I can’t. My family needs me.”

“So do I,” I whine like some desperate kid left for his first day at preschool.

She laughs. “I know you do, but you have me all the time. It’s only fair that they get a little of me too.”

Smiling, I straighten up. “I can pay you. Whatever they’re giving you to be down there, I’ll double it.”

She giggles, and I pray that her tears are at bay, for now at least. It’s always especially heartbreaking when Cat cries, because it has to be something fairly deep to hit her emotions like that. Apart from when she starts whining about the way she looks or weight, but I’ve come to the conclusion that’s just a universal attribute of women’s.

“You just want to indulge in a little prostitute role play, Justin.”

I let out a throat chuckle, pangs of longing to be with her already striking my chest. “Call me big daddy.”

“We’ve already discussed that particular incestuous nickname more times than I care to count, Justin. Accept that it is never happening.”

Smiling, I lean against the island, ignoring Trace’s questioning look. “I had paparazzi outside my door today. They snapped me walking into the building.”

“Well exactly,” she says sensibly. “This is a good time to let things cool down after that ridiculous article this morning. If they don’t see me for a little while, they’ll just assume they got it wrong and people won’t care by the time I get back.”

“Okay,” I reply. “Listen sweetheart, you sound really tired. Why don’t you go and take that bath and call me tomorrow, okay?”

She yawns. “Sure. I miss you already,” she chuckles.

“I know, I know…you want me in that tub with you, I understand.”

She lets out another laugh. “I certainly do. I could always do with having my hair washed with bubble bath.”

“That was one time, okay? I couldn’t see the label on the bottle!”

“Alright, well I’d better go.”

“Okay. Love you.”

“Love you too,” she replies coyly.

“Call me if there’s a problem, I’ll be up there like a bullet.”

“Will do. Bye.”

Flipping my phone shut with a sigh, I look up at Trace. “Well?” he prods.

“It’s a long story,” I reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The horribly antiseptic smell of the hospital greeted my nose as I stepped back into the dreaded white walls of the building for the second time in the past forty eight hours. I had seen my dad the night before, after shouting at the bitch of a receptionist that I didn’t care if visiting times were over, I was seeing my father.

I hate hospitals, just being inside of one fills me with a nervous anticipation for the worst. Then again, who walks into a hospital thinking “Well, isn’t this just great?”? Something about the way people are either running around, rushing people into surgery or they are settling into those odd lulls of peacefulness, where nobody seems to move at all and it’s just waiting, waiting, waiting.

But I braved it for my dad. I can’t imagine how much he hates being here, strapped to some hard bed that isn’t his. When I was speaking to him he said he thought about just ripping off all of those little wires and stalking off because he was so bored. If there’s one thing my father hates it’s staying still and doing nothing, which is exactly what he’s forced to do as doctors and nurses buzz around him, fussing over him. I know they’re doing their job, but I just wanted them to leave him alone.

Walking along the white corridors with a dark blue strip running through the white, I arrive at his room. I open the door and walk inside, gripping a few books that he wanted to keep him amused. By standards, he’s quite young to be in hospital; he just turned fifty three a few months ago. That just makes the sight of seeing him stuck here even worse.

“Knock knock,” I say quietly, not wanting to startle him as I walked into his room, holding his various books about World War Two to my chest.

“Hey Catherine,” he says, sitting up slightly in his bed at my appearance.

“Morning Catherine,” greets my mom, standing up from the hard blue seat she’s refused to leave ever since my dad went into hospital.

The only people in the world aside from those that don’t know me at all that call my Catherine are my parents. I have no clue why the didn’t pick up on saying Cat like everyone else did, but for some reason it just feels right to hear them call me by my proper Christian name. It’s almost a nickname in itself, as no one ever calls me Catherine anyway.

“How are you?” my mom asks, taking the books from me.

“Fine. How about you two?”

“These ridiculous doctors are keeping me in here,” my dad mutters bitterly, folding his arms across his chest stubbornly.

“These ridiculous doctors are not allowing him to go out and cause himself even more damage by gallivanting around the place,” my mom adds, sending my dad a condescending gaze. “They need to make sure you don’t get another weak leg, Tom.”

My father rolls his brown eyes. “That is exactly the type of superstitious behavior that is dragging down America’s health service.”

“Soph’s got a meeting today, so I’m picking up Cameron,” I interrupt swiftly, recognizing my dad‘s preparation for a lengthy discussion on the health service. “She goes to St. Peters, right?”

“Yes,” my mother replies. “Just like you did.”

“At three o'clock, right?”

She nods. “It’s so kind of you to help your sister out like this, Catherine.”

I shrug. “It’s the least I can do. She is my sister, after all.”

“How are you finding New York? Do you remember it from when you were younger?” asks my father, preparing himself for the chit chat we didn’t have last night because I erupted into tears at the sight of him bed-ridden and he was drowsy from the prescription medicine. It wasn’t a good meeting.

I smile. “Dad, please. When I went to visit Uncle Alex I didn’t do anything touristy, I just went to ghettos to watch people that were a lot cooler than myself get into gang fights.” He laughs. “I haven’t even been to Central Park.”

“Sometimes I wonder whether sending you there ever summer was just a waste of money.”

“Well…it was,” I say cheerfully, sitting down on one of the uncomfortable seats. “But yes, I’m enjoying it.”

“How’s Justin?” my mom asks, a dreamy look coming into her eyes.

I refrain from rolling my eyes. “He’s as wonderful as usual.”

“He’s such a nice boy,” she continues, twisting a strand of her short brown hair the exact same color as mine around her fingers girlishly. “So polite and handsome.”

“Or so he would have you believe,” I mutter.

“And what about that other strange boy that you live with?” asks my father, smiling.

“He’s not a boy, dad. He’s twenty four years old.”

My father shrugs. “He’s still strange.”

“He’s fine,” I reply, grinning. “I talked to Justin last night, actually. He had no idea where I was.”

“I suppose he understands,” says my mother.

“Of course.”

She sighs happily. “I thought he would. You find that southern men are usually the most considerate.”

“Susan, shut up,” my dad says jokingly, avoiding the swat my mom aimed at his head. “No, I agree with your mother there, Catherine. He is a lovely boy.”

I smile. “Oh, I know.” I let out a little gasp of delight. “Things are just so fantastic. We’re at this strange point where we know we have flaws…but it almost doesn’t matter, you know? Because we work around them and it just makes our relationship that little bit weirder…sorry, I’m probably making no sense,” I shrug sheepishly, grinning at them, fully expecting a lecture on how to form a grammatically correct sentence.

“I don’t suppose you two are thinking about tying the knot, are you?”

“Oh God no, dad,” I jump back in surprise, shaking my head. “Absolutely not, no.”

“Just asking,” he shrugs. “I would bet money that you two will be in wedlock within these next two years.”

“Dad, don’t be stupid,” I retort, rolling my eyes at him. My parents like to think they’re perfect matchmakers, but I remember not so long ago them adamantly exclaiming that Bill Clinton would never cheat with ‘that Lewinsky girl’ because he was so dedicated to his wife. I think that is evidence enough to prove my statement.

“Why are you suddenly talking about marriage?”

“Well, I was thinking, what if this had been more serious? What if I had died, or…”

“Dad, don’t--”

“No Catherine, it’s something I’ve had to think about, being in here. What if I never got to see you grow up? What if I never get to walk you down the aisle?”

“Jesus dad, you’re even more depressing than I am,” I groan, burying my head in my hands and massaging my head. “And in case you haven’t noticed, I am grown up.”

He smiles. “No you’re not, you’re still a child.”

“I am not! I’m twenty two!” I exclaim, my head snapping up. I sound like one of those highly irritating teenagers that stomp off to their room after their parents refuse to extend their curfew screaming, ‘I’m not a child!’

“You know what I mean…a proper woman, with children and a family.”

“Hold on…you want me to have a family?” This is a tad ironic. My parents always threatened to kill me if I had a child before twenty five, because children age you. Your youth is supposed to be the most selfish time of your life, but with children you always have to put them first. They always wanted me to have a life before I tied myself down like that.

“No, no, I’m just saying. I think that you and Justin are going to come to the stage where you either take that big leap to be with each other for the rest of your lives, or you don’t.” My dad shrugs. “But that’s just my opinion.”

Your opinion scares me shitless, dearest daddy. Marriage? Children? Of course, one day, but I doubt in the next year or two. If I wanted a promised, stable marriage with adorable children running around by the time I was twenty three, then I would have married Sean.

“Dad, where on earth is this coming from?” I ask in bewilderment, wondering whether they had broken all laws against it and given my father cannabis for medical uses.

“I’m just pointing out that you could be very happy with him, Catherine. Very, very happy. I mean look at you now, even as you’re worrying about me and your sister with her own marriage problems, you’re still in a better place than I’ve ever seen you. Justin has somehow managed to capture a little part of you and made your life worth living, right?”

“Um…”

“Catherine,” he sighs, and I can see him revving up for an inspirational, parental talk with me. “How many times have you been in love?”

“Twice.”

“Right, and presumably the second one is Justin?” I nod. “What does it feel like?”

“It’s not perfect, we have our issues…” I mutter uncomfortable. I suppose this is just the automatic response to a brush with death, but I don’t understand why my father is suddenly delving quite so deep into my relationship. My parents and I acknowledge that my love life and theirs are matters that don’t concern each other; I don’t want to hear about some fling my mother had in the seventies, or vice versa.

“But try to imagine your life without him. Try to picture not waking up beside him every day, try to think of you and Justin just…ceasing to exist as a couple.”

“It would be awful, I would be crushed. But why are you telling me this?”

“Because Catherine, love won’t always be like this. Let’s say you and Justin got married…you would have to work at it, wouldn’t you?”

“Of course.”

“That’s all I need you to remember Catherine, you have to work at it. Things don’t fall into place magically.”

“You’re really starting to make me worry, dad,” I say, eyeing him suspiciously. “You’ve only met Justin a few times. I didn’t realize you two were big buddies.”

“We’re not. I barely know the guy. But I can see the difference in you, and I know that he’s done something to you that no one has ever managed to do before.”

“Um…okay,” I reply slowly, frowning as I look to my mom, who shrugs.

“So just remember, even when things get tough, you must remember that he is worth the work, he is the one you’re supposed to be with, okay?”

“So you’re saying that even when things go bad, I just have to get through them because things will ultimately be beneficial for me?”

“More than beneficial Catherine, they’ll make the ride of your life a lot more enjoyable to take. Just remember that, okay?”

I hate these talks. I hate the times your parents sit you down, eye you with a concerned look, and then say something like, “Honey, life has its ups and downs, and you just have to cling on for dear life as you go over every hill…” It’s such an awkward position, because you want to listen to them and take on their valid advice, but at the same time you really don’t want to have to hear a bad version of Jerry’s Final Thought.

My parents kindly spare me on these talks usually, but…my father has got it bang on. Justin and I know that we’re either at the brink of something great or something terrible with our relationship. What if I encounter paparazzi on a larger scale and freak out? What if Justin’s jealous finally get the better of him and he completely loses his trust in me? Or equally, the other way around?

Is my father saying that for my own sake…for my happiness’ sake, no matter what hits us, I’ve got to stick it out? It would make sense, especially as the thousands of factors that are bound to hit us in the next few months with the release of his album and such could potentially ruin us…perhaps my dad is seeing this as the calm before the storm, so he’s cramming as much advice in as he can.

“Oh sorry, I have to go and pick up Cameron, but I’ll try and come by later, all right?” I say quickly, glancing at the clock.

“Great,” my mom says, standing up to give me a hug. “He’s just had a lot of time to think about things,” she whispers in my ear before pulling away, winking at me before I kiss my father on the cheek.

Justin. I sigh as I walk out of the hospital, kicking tufts of grass as I walk towards Cameron’s school to pick her up. Part of me is unwillingly to admit that yes, I miss Justin already. If he were here, he’d be full of jokes and laughter, but at the same time he’d know when to pull it back and be serious…but I refused to let him leave his work just to come down here and sort of hang around me, cheering me up when I asked him to. I know he would in a heartbeat if I asked him, but I won’t.

Doesn’t mean I don’t still wish he was here anyway.

Leaning against one of the trees in the schoolyard, I take a glance around the school I attended for goodness knows how many years when I was younger. I immediately spot the places that mean something to me; the side of the science building where I tried my first cigarette, the steps where I cried my eyes out on prom night because Matthew had danced with that bitch Sharon Kockanowski, the stream of girls in shorts and t-shirts clutching their sides as the butch gym teacher ordered them to run around the track one more time, just like I had done…

But now I couldn’t be happier. Were those dark, bleak days of my teenage years the price I had to pay for living so well now? Will every unhappy, chubby girl on campus all grow up to have a fantastic boyfriend that seems to offer her the world on a regular basis?

I hope so.

But how long can this last? Justin and I have been together for, let’s see…eight months? Something like that? I guess we could still be classified as being in “the honeymoon period”, and are yet to take off those rose-tinted spectacles. We do argue, we have thunderous altercations at times, but we also participate in those sickening make-ups and tell each other how much we love each other at regular intervals. Things won’t always be like this…in fact, I should probably start counting the days until we get bored of each other and go for weeks without speaking directly to each other.

“Auntie Catty!” A lisped voice screams, and suddenly I spot the bouncy head of curls on my niece’s head in the crowd of running children.

“Hey, Cammy,” I say, holding my arms out to her and grasping her in a hug. Despite my complaints that children are noisy, irritating and Satan’s minions, I love children more than anything in the world. Even chocolate.

How can you not love them? As I take Cameron’s hand and her pink Barbie backpack to lead her back to Sophie’s house, she starts to talk and talk and talk about…nothing, really. She bounces between what happened at school that day, to who her friends are, to how many stickers she has on her reading book. She could talk for days about nothing in particular, and there would be nothing anyone could do to stop her.

“And then Miss Brian said that my drawing was the best in the class!”

“Really?” I smile, gripping her hand as I look both ways before crossing the street.

“Yup. It had a dog, a cat, and a duck.”

“That’s great Cam.”

“My daddy’s gonna real like it, dogs are his favorite,” she says happily, jumping over a crack in the sidewalk.

I freeze, an uneasy, embarrassed feeling taking over me. “Well…he’s not home right now, but you can show it to him as soon as he gets back.”

“Oh yeah,” she pauses, protruding her bottom lip in a pout. “I forgot.”

Biting my lip, we continue walking, and Cameron quickly starts chatting about what happened at recess. She’s so in the dark, it’s horrible. When I arrived yesterday, I didn’t really have the chance to talk about Malcolm with Sophie. I was tired and went straight to see my dad, before falling asleep in Sophie’s spare room without talking to her about it. I don’t know why he’s gone, where he’s gone, or what the chances of him coming back are.

As Cameron starts to sing the new song she learnt at school that day, I try to get my head around the thought of someone leaving their own child. How can they do that? I thought the bond between a parent and their baby was indestructible. Perhaps for some, it isn’t.

When we arrive back at the house, I quickly set Cameron to work on coloring in a piece of paper as I calmly wait for Cameron to finish so I can take her out for a treat. At the same time, the phone rings in the hall and I reach over to pick it up, expecting Sophie.

“Hello?”

“Do you have any idea how many Sophie’s you have in your address book? It’s taken me fifteen minutes to get the right number!”

“Hey Justin,” I smile.

“Hi baby, what’s up?”

“Nothing much. I’m just back from the hospital and picking up Cameron.”

“How’s your dad?” he asks quietly.

I shrug. “He’s okay. Pretending that he’s fine and trying to worm his way out of there, of course. Oh, he told me that we should get married, though. Apparently I’m not going to get any better than you.”

Justin laughs, sending shivers down my spine even from hundreds of miles away.

“So I could be with you for the rest of my life,” I continue. “How depressing.”

“Don’t sound too pleased,” he teases.

“I’m not. Where are you?” I ask, clasping the phone to my ear and sitting down at the table with Cameron.

“We came home for a late lunch and Amber and Trace are still talking away, so I thought I’d give you a call. I found this and a million other numbers in your phone book. Do you know that have somebody called Horatio’s number?”

“Oh yeah. He was a stripper for my friend’s twenty first.”

“I’ll be scribbling out that name, then…”

Giggling, I stand up to get a carton of apple juice out for Cam. “How’s work?”

“It’s okay. We’ve got half of a song already, which is pretty cool for the first three days.”

“Good,” I reply, sticking a straw in for her. “Are there still cameramen hanging around you?”

“Yes,” he groans. “Even more, right on my doorstep. I almost flipped them off this morning.”

“Classy.”

“I was in a bad mood!” he moans, his whining voice tickling my ears. “Do you know how much it sucks not having you sleeping beside me?”

“I can only imagine.”

“Let’s make up for it…let’s have phone sex!” I giggle and hear the smile coming through in his voice. “Say something dirty.”

“Cameron just spilt her apple juice,” I reply with a broad grin, reaching over to get some towels to mop up the liquid.

“Ooh, that’s naughty.”

Laughing, I shake my head. “I’d better go. I can’t tie up Sophie’s line.”

“Okay. Well, I’ll call you later sweetheart.”

“Bye Justin. And Cameron says bye too,” I add, looking at the animated waving five year old.

He chuckles. “Bye to both of you beautiful ladies.”

Laughing, I hang up the phone and return it to its cradle, sighing contentedly as I sit back down with Cameron.

“Catty?”

“Yes?” I respond, turning away from gazing out of the window.

“Was that your special friend?”

A smile eases over my face. “You mean Justin, honey?” See the effect children have on me? I haven’t said honey for about three years, and it was presumably in reference to some bees’ product.

“Yeah,” she replies, frowning in concentration as she shades over the butterfly on the page. “Why isn’t he here?”

“He has to work, sweetie. Up in New York,” I reply, running a finger through her tight ringlets.

“Is he going to be your husband?”

Did Justin and I get engaged and I just forgot about it? Why is everyone buzzing about marriage that includes me and yet I have no clue about?

Then again, the thought of marrying Justin and having a dozen curly haired cherubs running about with high pitched voices is dangerously appealing. In fact, I can imagine nothing more pleasurable than being with Justin forever and ever and ever, until we’re both old and gray and talking about ‘the old days’.

Stop it Cat. You sound like one of those pathetic girls that daydreams about her wedding and picks the church before she’s even got a boyfriend. I must self impose a strict rule of never fantasizing about marrying Justin, no matter how appetizing it may be.

“I don’t know. Um…maybe,” I decide, an involuntary grin once again spreading across my face at the thought of me wearing a stunning Vera Wang creation dares to creep into my mind. “Yeah, maybe. But he would have to ask me first.”

“Are you going to have a baby with him?”

I laugh. “No, not yet.”

“If you have a baby, what will you call it?”

“Oh, I don’t know…” I smile, handing her the pink crayon she was reaching out for. “What do you think I should call it?”

She finishes the final flower with flourish. “Princess Cinderella.”

I stifle the snort and quickly nod. “Good idea. And if it’s a boy?”

She jumps down from her chair and potters over to a drawer, rooting around for some tape so she can stick her picture on the wall. “Usher. Aunt Dawn says he’s cool.”

I laugh and pick her up, her tiny chubby legs wrapping around my waist. “Oh really? And what does Aunt Dawn say about my Justin?”

Cameron smiles and shrugs, her fingers attacking the earrings that Trace gave me for my birthday. “She says he’s got a nice tummy.”

I laugh and spin her around a little, causing her to scream in delight. “So you think me and my special friend should have a baby?”

She nods quickly, the little blonde curls bouncing up and down. “A girl. ‘Cause girls are better than boys.”

“Oh, of course,” I agree, nodding. Smiling, I set her down on the ground and clasp her little hand in mine. “Tell you what…I’ll think about the baby, and we’ll go and get an ice cream. What do you say?”

She giggles and runs into the hall closet, picking out some sandals and trying to work the hook with great determination. Sighing, I bend down and do them for her, feeling her hand immediately returning to mine once I’m done.

“I’ve missed you lots and lots,” she says, standing on her tiptoes to open the front door.

Dropping a kiss on her forehead, I smile warmly. “I’ve missed you too.”

“And if you don’t marry Mr. Justin…can I?”

I laugh at pull out my sunglasses, shielding my eyes from the harsh glare of the sun as we walk along to the ice cream parlor. “Sure.”
Chapter 16 by Teeny
“Seriously, I hate school. I can’t wait until I can just give it all up and leave that fucking hellhole.”

Nodding sympathetically, I prop my head up with my hand. “I know exactly how you feel. I despised school and everyone in it when I was your age.”

“I just feel as though I don’t fit in anywhere, you know?” my sister Dawn complains, swishing an elbow length strand of highlighted light brown hair over her shoulder. “It’s like…I’m not popular, but I don’t qualify to be a total loser, because I do have friends.”

“So you’re just…in between.”

“Yeah.”

“Dawn,” I sigh. “School is the biggest bitch in the world. It’s oppressive, it can suck any vigor that one may have towards their life, and everyone seems to be that little bit better than you.”

“Exactly!” she exclaims. “I mean, it’s just crawling with this pretty, popular bitches who all wear Versace, have flawless hair, and even though they’re all as clever as they are modest, everyone still seems to love them!”

“Schoolyard politics: they suck,” I state simply. “It’s not a just or fair society in most high schools, but that’s just the way it has to be.”

“Will it always be like this?” she asks miserably, falling back into her seat in a slumped position.

I snort. “I can assure you that when those pretty, popular bitches leave high school, they’ll find that being prom queen and having a good looking boyfriend means shit all in the real world. Half of them will be pregnant and living in a trailer by the time they’re twenty.”

“At least they’ve got boyfriends,” she mumbles, picking up a lock of her long hair and idly picking at the split ends.

“Dawn trust me, you do not want to get heavily involved when you’re in high school,” I warn, shaking my head. “I know this all too well.”

“Cat, I’ve never even had sex!” she suddenly exclaims, looking up from her hair to give me an angered look.

“Good!” I reply. “The longer you can put off sex, the better.”

She rolls her eyes. “That’s bull. Everyone talks about how fantastic sex is.”

“Everyone’s full of shit,” I say bluntly. “Listen, I was your age when I first had sex and I can safely say that it did not benefit me at all.”

“Why not?”

“Because I started doing crazy shit like dropping out of college!” I justify, gesturing wildly with my arms as if to show how stupid I had been. “I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, because it’s not. Sex can make a good thing great, and it can really deepen your relationship. But, it introduces you to a whole new lorry load of worries that you never had to think about before, and it would just be better for you if you were at a more mature age to deal with those problems.”

“And what are those problems?” she says in a voice that tells me quite clearly she doesn’t believe me.

“Putting aside practical things such as pregnancy, sexual diseases and the chance you’ll wake up to the other side of the bed being empty; sex can make you doubt yourself to the extreme. Who am I doing this for, me or him? Am I doing this right? What if everyone thinks I’m a whore?” I shake my head. “It really isn’t worth it; not at your age. You’ve got enough to worry about.”

She throws her hands up in despair. “See? Everyone says that, and they’re all fucking patronizing me!”

“Dawn, I am really in no position to patronize; I’m just suggesting that it’s something you shouldn’t worry about at the moment.”

“But you did it.”

I roll my eyes. “Haven’t I ever warned you I’m stupid?”

She sighs. “It seems like everyone else is doing it except me; I’m just so boring, you know? I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t have sex…”

“Hold on a sec there, or I’ll start calling you Sandra Dee,” I grin, only to be met with an icy glare. “Sorry. But you shouldn’t look on the fact that you don’t indulge in teenage habits a bad thing. I know a lot of people your age are having sex and whatnot, and if that works for them, then great.”

“But I thought you said we were too young and immature,” she mumbles from her drooped sitting position.

“Well, a lot of the people your age probably are. I know I don’t regret sleeping with my boyfriend, but I regret what happened later, and I think sex intensified our relationship a lot and made me do things I wouldn’t have otherwise done. I don’t want to see you making the same incredibly stupid mistakes I did.”

Dawn lets out a frustrated sigh. “Well, nobody’s even remotely attracted to me, so don’t get yourself worried in the slightest. The chances of me having sex are about as likely as Christina Aguilera becoming a nun.”

I laugh and reach out to pat her leg. “You are so exactly like me when I was your age, do you know that?”

“Great,” she mumbles sarcastically. “You were a moody bitch.”

Just as I was ready to lash out with an insult, she grins to let me know she’s just teasing and stands up from the sofa, stretching from the sitting position we were in as we sat and caught up. Sometimes I feel so sorry for Dawn, all by herself with just our middle aged parents. At least I had Sophie to talk to, and even when she left for college she would come home and confide in me occasionally as I sat in my PJ’s, listening with wide eyes as she told me about the parties she’d been to or the friends she’d made. But Dawn is pretty much an only child since I left five years ago when she was twelve; Sophie’s got her family, and I’ve been in another state. It was really the worst time for me to leave, just as she was on the brink of the most crushing time of her life--her teen years.

But she’s alright. I know she’s at a horrible point in her life where she’s just finishing the transaction from child to adult, and right now her life probably seems as bleak as her mother’s funeral. I only hope I can somewhat inspire her to believe that she will pull through it. If I did, anyone can.

“You look good,” I comment, eyeing the flat stomach revealed by the riding up of her shirt as she stretches.

“Thanks,” she yawns. “I’ve started jogging.”

I cough in surprise. “What? Jogging?”

She shrugs casually. “Yeah, jogging.”

“But…why? And voluntarily…I don’t understand!” I smile, standing up and brushing off my pants.

She laughs. “Well, I’ve got prom coming up and I really didn’t want to look like a block of lard in my dress, so I decided to shed a few pounds.”

She says it as though being a block of lard is a bad thing. “I’ve been thinking about losing weight myself, actually,” I say, pinching at my hips. “Justin really wants to take one final vacation before his album drops, and knowing him it will be somewhere like Hawaii where beautiful women are as common as those garland things that they put around your neck.”

“You mean leis?”

I roll my eyes. “Whatever. Anyway, I want to be able to wear a bikini or at least a swimsuit without looking like a giant ball of dough.”

Dawn smiles. “You could wear a bikini now and you look just fine.”

I shrug. “I probably could, but I would feel too uncomfortable. I actually think I may be pregnant--there is no other explanation as to why my hips seem to have expanded so much.”

Stifling a laugh, she shakes her head. “Well, you must look half decent naked if you’re bedding Justin Timberlake.”

“True…” I agree, letting a smug grin creep onto my face. “But it’s a bit depressing when your boyfriend’s got a smaller ass than you do.”

She giggles and links her arm through mine. “You could always come running with me. I like to drop into the bakery on the way back and pick up a muffin,” she laughs. “Why burn off those calories if you’re not going to replace them with other ones?”

“That is so true,” I muse, letting her lead me out of the house and into the sparkly new car my parents’ unwillingly bought her for her seventeenth birthday. “Where are we going?”

“Shopping,” she replies, stepping into the silver jeep.

“But I hate shopping.”

“But I have to prepare a welcome home party for dad,” she mocks. “And plus, I kinda…I kinda like talking to you,” she adds shyly. “I don’t really have anyone else to speak with about this stuff,” she shrugs, putting the keys in the ignition.

“Well, I’m not sure if I’m the best person to come to for advice,” I laugh.

She smiles. “You’re okay. I was worried you’d be all Hollywood when you came back, but you’re still the same.”

“And how is that a good thing?” She giggles. “I’m just kidding, I like talking to you too. It must be hard being left with just mom and dad.”

She rolls her eyes and reverses. “Don’t I know it. Mom would completely freak out if she had an inkling that I even knew what the term sex meant.”

“Hence the reason mom still thinks I’ll be wearing white to my wedding,” I grin.

“Speaking of weddings, thrill my virgin ears and tell me how things are with Justin,” she asks, running straight through a red light.

“Dawn, slow down,” I order, gripping at my armrest as the jeep speeds past an old lady looking to cross the road. “And we’re fine, thank you.”

“Just fine? I thought you guys were on the brink of marriage.”

“Why is everyone saying that?” I huff, rolling my eyes. “We’ve never even talked about marriage.”

“Don’t pretend you haven’t thought about it, though,” she grins mischievously, halfheartedly looking to the right to make sure there are no cars coming before speeding on. “Have you ever seen yourself when you mention his name? You go all wistful and start whimpering about how great he is.”

“Do I?” I ask in a surprise. If I’ve turned into one of those ‘isn’t he dreamy?’ girls I may have to gauge out my own eyes with cutlery just to stop some sort of longing expression I possible have when I talk about my significant other. It’s so annoying when people do that; you just want to give them a harsh slap to bring them down to earth.

“Yeah. It takes you five minutes to get back into the conversation.”

“Really?”

“Yup.”

“Well…I can’t help it!” I defend, feeling a grin tugging at my lips. “He’s just so…”

“Cat, please.”

“Sorry, sorry… But back to my point, who started this marriage crap?”

She shrugs. “Well, now that dad seems to be thinking he’s got to dish out as much insightful advice as he can in case he suddenly drops dead, he’s taken it one step further. And after you guys came up for Thanksgiving, everyone was buzzing about how in love you were, blah blah blah,” she rolls her eyes. “Ever since you have been in New York, people are saying you’re either going to break up or get married.”

“That’s what dad said,” I mumble, staring out of the window. “And who are these ‘people’?”

“Sophie, that prick that she married, mom and dad, Aunt Janice, that woman with the weird second name that used to live next door…basically everyone that you guys met at thanksgiving.”

“I hate it when people talk about my love life,” I whine. “It puts on way too much pressure.”

“Don’t feel too bad. They said you might get pregnant too.”

Laughing, I shake my head. “Oh, what a comfort.”

She grins and haphazardly parks the car in the parking lot of the mall. “I know.”

“I just wish people could just leave us as we are and not psychoanalyze our relationship. I worry and think about it enough for everyone. The last thing I want is people backing up my theories.”

“And what are your theories?” she asks, slamming the door shut and slinging her purse over her shoulder.

I shrug. “Well, sometimes with Justin I just…wonder. I mean, we’re both insecure in our own little ways, and we have completely different outlooks on life, we don’t really share the same interests…” I trail off and find myself in Old Navy. “And yet, I just can’t imagine my life without him.”

“How are you insecure?” Dawn asks, sifting through the sizes of a blue t-shirt with a flower design in the corner.

I snort. “How am I not? I get so paranoid and wonder what the hell is he doing with me? He’s a world famous obnoxious celebrity and I’m a judgmental, sarcastic normal girl. How can the two mix?” I sigh and rifle through my own rack of tops with plunging necklines. “Weirdly enough though, I don’t get worried about him with other women like he does with me and men. Well, apart from that emaciated producer of his, but that’s thoroughly justifiable.”

Dawn laughs. “So Justin’s a little jealous?”

“A little?” I laugh. “He seems to think that any man that comes within a two foot radius of me is desperate to sleep with me. And that, as much as I would love for it to be the case, is ridiculous. At the very mention of ex boyfriends he gets so menstrual and catty, saying stupid things like, ‘ugh, well, I bet they weren’t as good in bed as I am’.”

She giggles at my impression. “He doesn’t seem like the kind to doubt himself.”

“It’s only when it comes to me. Otherwise, he’s quite the Narcissus; he spent fifteen minutes staring at his stomach from all different angles in the mirror just so he could see how the light reflected on his abdominals.”

Dawn shrugs. “Well, he has got rippling muscles.”

I sigh and lean against the racks of clothing. “Yeah.”

Before I can completely dip into a delicious Justin-reverie, Dawn turns and slaps my arm. “Cat, wake up. He’s not here, you can fulfill whatever sex fantasy you have right now when you get back to New York.”

“I am not having a sex fantasy!” I hotly deny in a whisper. “You pointed it out, not me.”

She grins. “So tell me, how good does he look naked?”

I can’t stop the smile that swoops over my face. “I could try and get you a picture, if you want.”

Her eyes widen and she whips around. “Seriously?”

“No, but I could describe it in graphic, almost porn-esque detail if you’d liked.”

She smiles and pulls out one of the blue tops, grasping my hand and steering me towards the changing room. “That’ll do.”

“I mean, I guess I could marry him…” I ponder as she slips into a changing room, before shaking my head at myself. “What am I saying…of course I would. But I can’t help but think we must look ridiculous together. Kinda like Beauty and the Beast…and let’s put it this way, Justin isn’t no beast.”

“Don’t be stupid,” she calls out from inside the stall. “Everyone thinks you guys are great together. If they were skeptical of one of you, it would be Justin.”

“Why on earth would it be Justin?”

“Because you’re this high powered intellectual that hates people with an IQ lower than 120 and he’s this pop star whose spelling abilities are limited to his autograph. Or that’s how it may seem.”

“Justin’s quite clever,” I reply, opening the curtain and leaning against the side of the wall, looking at Dawn’s top. “He just doesn’t show it.”

“And you’re quite sexy, but you don’t show it,” she retorts, looking at me in the mirror.

“I’m not sexy,” I snort. “I couldn’t seduce a cucumber.”

She laughs, turning around to look at her reflection from all sides. “Of course you are. You’ve got great boobs.”

My hands instinctively reach up to my chest. “Really?”

“Sure. You should show them off more.”

“I don’t think so, Dawn,” I reply shyly, blushing slightly and looking at the floor.

“Don’t be so prude, Cat. See, you’ve got quite a small waist too. You should wear corsets or something.”

“What?” I exclaim. “Corsets? This is the twenty first century, Dawn. Not the eighteenth.”

“Maybe one of those thingies from Victoria’s Secret. You know, give Justin a little surprise.”

“Don’t be ridiculous!” I snap, my blush deepening, glancing out of the cubicle in case anyone might have heard us.

“But you’d look good.”

“I would look absurd.”

“Don’t you do that kind of stuff for him?” she asks, twirling around.

“What stuff?”

“Sexy underwear, little outfits…I thought all couples indulged in games like that.”

I raise my eyes heavenward and shake my head. “Not exactly. Sex is not quite the whole, ‘Naughty Nurse and Frisky Fireman’ playful outfits that everyone with a fantastically rampant sex life has in the movies.”

“So what’s it like?” she murmurs quietly, looking down and picking at the hem of her shirt.

I smile. “You’ll just have to see for yourself.” Suddenly, years of preaching slapped me in the face and I hurriedly continue. “When you’re older, I mean. And using protection. And not doing it because your friends told you to.”

She laughs. “And in love.”

I grin. “That too.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m cheating on Cat.

It’s true. I, Justin Randall Timberlake, am cheating on Catherine Grace Saunders, and I don’t even feel the tiniest ounce of guilt. In fact, I couldn’t be happier.

My intense love affair with my cell phone started exactly five days ago, when Cat first left. I have grown to worship that phone more than my new album; I’m surprised I haven’t built a shrine to it in my basement or joined some cult venerating the wonders of modern communication. Every day, at seven thirty two precisely, the little silver gadget that always seems to be banging against my leg as it lays in my pocket, starts to rings frantically, and I lose multiple cool points to pick it up hastily. Amber and Trace know not to speak to me, not to touch me, not to even make eye contact with me as soon as that phone greets my ear, but to just leave me alone as I whine into the phone how much I miss Cat.

I hate this. I loathe being one of those guys that becomes the bitch in every situation because they’re just so head over heels for their girl; they let down their guard and forget that they’re supposed to be macho. The sooner Cat gets back, the sooner I can return to my usual, rugged manliness, because I know I’m quite a masculine person by nature. When I tried to tell Trace this, he started to laugh quite hysterically. I wonder why?

“So technically repeating this beat on the hook would--”

“Excuse me,” I quickly interrupt as the shrill ring of my cell phone resounds in the room. It’s time. “Can I take this?”

Amber obviously swallows her frustrated sigh and nods, her layered hair bouncing. “Of course.”

Grinning at her, I quickly snap it open and exit our recording room, shutting the door behind me. “Hey baby.”

“How did you know it was me?” her voice laughs.

“Caller ID. But also you always seem to pick a time to call when Amber’s about to launch into some intricate sermon about music. It really pisses her off.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I always thought I was her sunshine, her only sunshine, making her happy when skies were gray.”

Laughing, I shake my head. “When are you going to let her upbeat surname go?”

“When she changes it.”

“Anyway, how are things?” I swiftly move on, knowing that if I let Cat continue, and I really wish I could, she would point out every single one of Miss Sunflower’s flaws in such an amusing fashion I would never be able to look at Amber with a straight face again.

Cat’s good at that. During one of her hilarious anti-celebrity rants, she was saying something about how ridiculous Hugh Hefner was, and then put in the rather amusing image of him dying on top of one of his exploits in my head. Needless to say, when I passed him in the hall a few weeks ago at a business meeting, accompanied by a bevy of beautiful blonde women of course, I had to bite my lip with brutal force to stop laughing.

“Good. I just put Cameron to bed, and I got to spend some time with Dawn today, which was great.”

“Cool. What did you two do?”

“Just sister things,” she says happily. “Went shopping, talked about men and sex. Girl stuff.”

“She’s not having sex, is she?” I exclaim, somehow not linking the shy, slightly star struck girl I met at Thanksgiving with a cosmopolitan-drinking sexual temptress.

“Sorry, but I can’t break the sister’s rule of silence by telling you that.” She suddenly giggles. “No, she’s not. She was mainly asking things she can’t ask my mom.”

“Mmm, and did you reflect on your own experiences?” I ask slyly, raising my eyebrows.

“Yes, I did. That’s why Dawn has taken a vow of celibacy and has promised to never engage in sexual pleasure with a man, even if his nickname is Trousersnake,” she says, and I can hear the grin on her face.

“Excuse me, but before you were with me you were not having--”

“Justin!” she quickly interrupts. “I was kidding. I said it was a mind-blowing experience and that your admirable prowess was a sexual awakening for poor, virginal me.”

“Really?” I beam.

“No.”

“So how are things with Sophie?” I continue.

She groans. “Complicated. Malcolm’s called her, and I think they’re going to meet up and talk things out, but I’m not sure. I need to take care of Cameron if she leaves.”

“But Cat,” I draw out slowly. “I really want you back here. I need you back here.”

“Why?”

“The press are sort of slowly ebbing away, but they’re still there and okay, I admit I may have given the finger to a few of them…”

“Justin! That is so low class.”

“Don’t pull highbrow crap on me, baby. They are so fucking annoying!” I exclaim, kicking the wall in frustration.

“I understand that, but you’re just provoking them.”

I’m silent, before a whiny, “Caaat, stop being logical!” crawls out of my throat. “It feels good to flip them the old birdie.”

“And I’m sure it feels good when they get an unreasonable sum of money to sell pictures of Justin Timberlake acting like a wannabe hard ass nineteen year old.”

“I am not a wannabe,” I reply quickly. “I really am a hard ass.”

“Of course you are, Justin. And I’m really Mother Theresa reincarnated.”

I laugh. “It’s possible.”

“How’s recording going?” she asks politely. “Come up with any ingenious rhymes such as love, glove and dove today?”

I chuckle. “No, today it was you, blue, and true.”

“Oh, wasn’t there a Madonna song like that? ‘True blue baby, I love you!’,” she sings.

“Yeah, but mine runs along a much deeper, profound line,” I grin. “My philosophical and heartfelt words come have been the poetic creation of Shakespeare himself.”

“And they are?” she asks slowly.

“I love you, so don’t be blue, to you I will always be true,” I make up instantly on the spot. The sad thing is, it really does sound like something I might sing.

A silence falls on the other end of the line. “You are joking, right?”

“Cat, it’s almost as though you’re saying my song lyrics are overused or insincere,” I reply in a shocked voice, trying to hold back my grin.

Another silence envelops her. She always teases me for rhyming stupid words together or writing cheesy lyrics, but if she thinks I’m being serious then she’ll say it’s the best thing ever written. “No, no of course not. I didn’t mean it like that at all, I just meant that lyrics can often contain words that have nothing to do with each other, but people just use them because they rhyme…not that yours do, of course. They’re great, it’s going to sound wonderful, I’m sure…” she rambles, much to my amusement.

“Don’t worry baby, I was just joking,” I smile, hearing her sigh of relief. “My songs are yet to reach that level of crapness.”

“Sorry, did you not hear that God song?”

“That was a good song!”
She giggles and mutters, “I know, I’m just teasing.”
“And what are your plans for the rest of the evening, Miss Saunders?” I ask, leaning against the wall and smiling.

“Oh, it’s funny you should ask that. Well, when I was picking up Cam from a party today I ran into an old friend of mine and we arranged to go out for drinks.”

“Oh really?” I stretch and adjust the navy blue baseball cap adorning my curls. “That’s cool.”

“I know, I haven’t spoken to him in years. He used to be my fr--”

“I’m sorry, what?” I interrupt, my actions frozen as .

“What?” she mimics, oblivious to my concern.

“It’s a he?”

“Yes,” she says slowly, as though there’s nothing wrong with it.

“What are you doing with him?”

“We’re just having a drink, that’s all,” she replies defensively. “It’s not like I’m embarking on a rampant affair with him.”

“How can I believe that when I’m up here and you’re down there, all alone, I might add, with some asshole!” I snap into my cell phone.

She lets out an exasperated sigh of disappointment. “Are you being serious?”

“Deadly serious, Cat. I don’t want you to go out with him.”

“Justin, I’m not going out with him. We’re just having a drink together and catching up, that’s all.”

“That’s what it may seem to you, Cat, but to him, it’s the perfect opportunity to fulfill his high school fantasy. Can’t you see he‘s just trying to get you drunk so he can take advantage of you?”

A high-pitched giggle travels down the line, and I roll my eyes. She’s laughing? She’s laughing? Would she laugh if I were locked in a house with girls running around in little cotton panties? Don’t think so.

I can see it all now; Cat walks into some seedy bar, clutching at her purse, her eyes darting around self-consciously. Some dark brooding man sitting in the corner waves her down. She slides in next to him, and he orders her a double shot of vodka before she can explain she doesn’t really like vodka all that much. Two hours and eight shots later, an inebriated Cat is taken back to the stranger’s home and in his sleazy little shack in the middle of the forest, he does the unthinkable: he takes my girl.

“What is so funny?” I snap.

“Justin, you are too cute. Obsessively possessive, yes, but cute nonetheless.” She sighs. “I have no idea exactly how you’ve managed to conjure up a steamy affair within a two second time allotment, but I can assure you it’s ridiculous, not to mention impossible.”

“Is it?”

“Of course!” she laughs again. “Look, what do you think he was doing at a kid’s birthday party?”

“Probably seducing some young girl with pigtails--perhaps he likes them young.”

She laughs again as my face remains in its stony frown. “Close, but no. He was picking up his son. He’s married, with two children.”

My mouth clamps shut and I raise an eyebrow. “Really?”

“Yes,” she giggles. “And if you had waited for me to finish my story, I would have told you he used to be friend’s boyfriend and how we all wanted her to dump him because he wasn’t the best looking guy. Honestly Justin, you are just so melodramatic.”

“I am not melodramatic,” I scoff, scowling and shifting my hat again. “I’m just protecting what’s mine.”

A gasp escapes her lips. “Excuse me? What’s…yours?”

“You know what I meant,” I roll my eyes. “Look,” I groan, preparing an unwilling apology, “I’m sorry I pounced on you. But I just miss you so much, I can’t help if I’m a little…”

“Crazy?”

“Thanks,” I snort. “It’s just…you’re all by yourself down there. If something goes wrong, I can’t protect you.”

She sighs and is quiet for a moment. “Why would I want anyone else when I have you?” she says softly.

“I miss you,” I mumble, digging the toe of my black sneakers into the floor. “I want you back home, where I can keep you safe.”

“Justin,” she moans, and I can hear her running a hand through her hair. “Don’t make this any harder than it already is. You know I want to come home.”

“When will you, then?”

“You know I don’t know the answer to that.”

“Okay, I’ll back off,” I murmur. “But just to be on the safe side, be careful with your friend. Don’t leave him alone with your drink--he might slip some pill into it.”

She giggles but abruptly stops. “Affirmative, Mr. Timberlake.”

“And make sure you take a cell phone with you in case of an emergency.”

“Of course. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Okay. Love you, baby.”

“Love you too, Justin,” she says with a sigh.

I click the phone shut with a moan, and tilt my head back, banging it against the dark red wall of the recording studio.

When is she coming back?

-----------------------------------------

I’m going to die.

Or perhaps I’m already dead, and my sins have placed me in hell. Damn, I wish I had never stolen that candy bar from the grocery store when I was eight.

The hard concrete of the sidewalk greets the pad of my foot, one after the other, sending a jolt through my leg each time. And because life is the biggest bitch in the world, every time I stop moving a sharp pain runs the bones in my legs; starting at my ankles and finishing at the top of my thighs. My breath comes out as short gasps for air, as though there are a million little hands trying to grab at some form of oxygen to keep my body going.

The sun that seems to have suddenly sprouted from nowhere breaks through the misty dark clouds, slowly pushing them away and shining down onto the back of my neck. The hasty ponytail that my hair was pulled in as I woke up swings irritatingly to and fro, dancing between my shoulder blades. If I had a knife, I’d probably just chop it off. Or perhaps kill myself.

I fucking hate jogging.

“Dawn…” I pant, my feet plodding endlessly on the gray sea of asphalt. “Dawn!” I shout with more vigor.

“Yeah?” she responds, glancing back at me as her painfully long hair swings over her shoulder.

“There’s only so much lactic acid my body can handle,” I groan, stopping and bending over, placing my hands on my knees to steady myself.

“You’re doing great. I thought you’d be more unfit than this.”

I slowly raise my eyes to stare at her, hoping my stony glare is transmitting my “shut the hell up” message. My labored breathing echoes in the still morning air. Christ, anyone with half a brain is still curled up in bed. Why the hell am I spending a Sunday morning hitting the streets of Beachwood, Ohio when I’d rather be buried in the sheets of Sophie’s guest room, watching dreadful morning television?

“How can you do this every morning?” I moan, bring the back of my shin up and stretching my hamstring.

She shrugs and wipes the sweat from her brow. “I use prom as an incentive.”

“And what can be mine?”

She turns it over in my mind for a moment, before replying, “Victoria’s Secret corsets?”

I stare at her for a moment, contemplating a lengthy discussion on women’s independence and femininity, before shaking my head. “Let’s keep on going.”

“So, what time is dad coming back?” she asks, picking up a steady pace.

“Dunno,” I answer. “Three?” I see I’ve had to resort to fragmented sentences. Fab.

“S’at mean you’re going back to New York soon?” she asks.

“Probably,” I reply. “It’s been a week.”

“Oh…no,” she pants sarcastically.

Giving her a shove, I speed up. “Shut up, or I’ll tell Justin you used to call yourself Miss Nsync.”

“Don’t!” she exclaims, racing to catch up with me. “Don’t you dare!”

I manage a short laugh, before my lungs remind me that breathing has priority over jolliness. Finally, Sophie’s white brick house comes into view, and as much as I want to sprint over to it, my legs let me down and I plod pathetically through the brown picket fence to her front door.

“Well hello, my little joggers,” she snorts after opening the door, sipping a cup of coffee in her pajamas. “I was just about to fetch out my camera to catch you two in this wonderful moment.”

I glare at her and push past her to the bathroom, taking one glance at my horrible appearance and sucking in my breath. With my hair slicked back and my skin shiny, I look…vile.

“At least you’ve done a third of your exercise for this week,” Dawn says, leaning against one of the wooden stools in the kitchen and stretching.

“Christ, I am not doing this another two times,” I mutter, splashing some cold water onto my face and cursing the mirror. It’s clearly made me look ten times worse than I really do; yeah, that’s it. It’s the mirror’s fault.

The three Saunders sisters sat down at the table; Sophie ran her fingers over the rim of her cup, Dawn concentrated on her shoelaces, and I contemplated attacking some sort of chocolate pastry in order to replenish any calories I burned on my run.

“Oh, Cat, Justin called while you were out last night,” says Sophie, breaking the silence.

I smile. “What did he say?”

“Actually, he was calling to ask me who your friend was,” Sophie giggles. “Whether he was good-looking, successful, you know. He sounded a little jealous.”

I roll my eyes. “He’s a lot jealous. He always is.”

She nods and sips her milky coffee. “He seems very eager to have you back.”

“I know,” I reply softly. “We’ve never really spent more than a weekend away from each other before; we’re a little reliant on each other’s presence.”

“When are you heading back?”

“Whenever I’m not needed,” I reply, shrugging. “I do miss him.”

“Then why are you still here?” Dawn laughs. “Dad’s fine…Sophie, you’re managing, right?”

She nods and looks at me shyly. “I will be when Malcolm moves back in next week.”

I gasp. “Really? You’re sure?”

She beams and nods happily. “Well, you guys know we’ve been talking it out these past few days, and I think we’ve got things sorted. He was under too much pressure at work, as was I, we were never seeing each other…but we’re going to see how things go. After all, he really misses Cameron, and vice versa.”

“That’s great,” Dawn and I say in unison, reaching over to hug Sophie. I stifle the voice inside of me that says Malcolm is still a stupid bastard and congratulate her. After all, she loves him, Cameron loves him, and he loves them back. I suppose that’s all that really matters.

I also stifle the voice that brings out the party hats because…

I can finally go home.

------------------------------------------

Excitement tingles through my veins, lighting my body with nervous energy.

He has no idea.

Three days after my dad was home, Malcolm was back, and things had somewhat settled down into the weirdness that my home life always had been, I rang up the airline and proudly announced that I wanted to schedule my return to NY, New York City, The Big Apple…

Home.

I didn’t want to leave Ohio like a bolt of lightening as soon as things had gained a semblance of what they had been before, so I hung around pointlessly for a few days, doing odd jobs like going out and buying my dad a chocolate shake and taking Dawn shopping for her prom outfit, which of course we never found, due to our conflicting wardrobe likes.

Two weeks is not a long time. It’s fourteen days, so that’s what…336 hours? Yes, about that. And it’s around a twenty-sixth of a year, if we’re talking fractions. A mere half a month, is another way of looking at it. So, in conclusion, two weeks is not a long time.

Or so I thought.

Being away from Justin certainly had its benefits; I didn’t have to hear his and Trace’s mind-numbingly stupid conversations that always seemed to begin with “You know what’s great about orgasms…” or one of their ‘worthy’ debates that run along the lines of “Oral sex is better than anything else: discuss”. I even got to walk down the street without even worrying a cameraman might suddenly jump out screaming, ‘you’re on candid camera!’ and then strew my face across every magazine cover in the country.

But these benefits…these reimbursements were meaningless when I would wake up in the morning and miss his daily praise of cereal, or would go a whole day without hearing him make some utterly stupid comment such as “You know, homeless people look really short. Maybe it’s because they’re sitting down”. I missed him, having grown so accustomed to his…Justinness. Having him suddenly yanked away from was like being told I wasn’t allowed to breathe anymore; it was just unfathomable.

Hearing the elevator bing its way up through the various storeys, my grin widens. Over the past few days, I’ve been deliberately ignoring his calls–I can never keep a secret and I desperately wanted to surprise. So, whenever the name ‘J-Dawg’ came up on my screen, I smiled and canceled the call.

He has no idea.

Finally, the long black arrow points towards the top floor–Justin’s floor. Almost shivering with excitement, I quickly step out of the elevator and slip my key into the lock, turning it as noiselessly as I can. I caught a flight early in the morning, so that I could catch him before he rushed off to the studio. Hell, if I have my way, he’ll forget the studio and we’ll spend all day together, being a saccharine sweet couple. I think I deserve it; I never even got to kiss him goodbye.

Creeping into the apartment, I lean forward, putting the weight on the balls of my feet, so that the heels on my plum-colored sandals don’t tap on the polished wooden floor. The apartment is oddly still: I don’t hear Trace whistling, or Justin singing, just silence. Glancing at my watch and realizing it’s only eight o’clock, I assume they’re both still asleep. That’s even better; I can think of interesting ways to wake Justin up.

Slowly, I set my bag down and smile, looking around at my surroundings. Things are still the same; in fact, surprisingly clean, seeing as Justin and Trace have been left to their own cleaning devices, as I was gone. I tiptoe into the kitchen, nodding approvingly at the washed dishes and cleaned counters. My boys have been good boys.

The large hanging calendar on the wall catches my attention, and I let out a gentle, girlish sigh at a large red X filling the day that I left. Of course, there was an equally large red arrow pointing to it, proclaiming that Justin was ‘gay’, but I shook my head at Trace’s handwriting and left the kitchen, smiling to myself.

My feet sink into the plush beige carpet on the stairs, and I quickly hop up them, biting my lip in anticipation. At the summit of the stairs, I tug at my tight fitting, ever so slightly cleavage-revealing top that Dawn insisted I have, and smooth down the black skirt that is just a little shorter than I’m comfortable with. Taking a breath, I smile excitedly, ready to cross the hall into Justin’s bedroom.

He has no idea.

As my right foot makes its move forwards onto a dark burgundy rug on the floor, my breath hitches in my throat. My stomach plummets to the floor painfully, and my heart does an agonizing display of acrobatics in my chest. It feels as though someone has poured burning wax into my heart and left it there to congeal and stain my insides forever.

Amber closes the bathroom door behind her carefully, letting it shut quietly. She gasps upon seeing me, and instinctively reaches to cover herself, although there’s little she can do in the large t-shirt I’ve seen Justin don on numerous occasions that hangs over a pair of black panties. Her short, auburn hair is tousled her eyes are bright; there’s no mistaking her radiant morning after glow. She's spent the night here and, even worse, she's spent that night having sex.

I had no idea.


Chapter 17 by Teeny
Ever single cliché that I never thought possible seemed to apply to me. My breath caught in my throat, my heart skipped a beat, my eyes widened. All those silly formulaic lines that are sprinkled over books and magazines were applied to my stunned body. If I hadn’t been struck by my anger so quickly, I would have probably suffered some kind of heart attack due to the absence of oxygen thanks to my lack of breathing.

And when I say my anger struck me, I mean it hit me like a thousand spiked bricks being hurled towards me at lightening speed. Suddenly, any of the hurt or confusion that had abruptly boiled in my system started simmering down to pure, unadulterated…anger. Fury. Rage. Any other noun that possibly describes uncontrollable ferocity. Instead of standing in a shocked daze, my breathing became heavy and fast, as though I had just run a hundred meter sprint.

How could he do this to me? No…really…how could he? I had heard his sob stories about his other girlfriends cheating on him, just like the rest of the world had, and being the complete idiot that I am, I believed him. I truly believed that Justin Timberlake had a quality that few men or women across the globe could boast: faithfulness.

I was wrong. So, so wrong. And I hate him for it. It isn’t helped by the fact I spent the whole plane ride back to New York daydreaming about the warm, fuzzy feeling that would settle in the pit of my stomach if I saw Justin’s smiling face at the end of a church aisle, and how fantastic he would look in a wedding tux. It isn’t helped by the fact my whole family is insistent that I marry him because a) it’s not like I can do any better and b) we’re perfect for each other, in an illogical, nonsensical way. It isn’t helped by the fact my only alternative to bursting into upset tears is to get radically pissed off and shout at someone, only to find there’s no one to shout at.

Amber’s wide set green eyes stare at me, still spacious from the surprise of seeing me. “Cat! You’re back!” she smiles at me brightly, revealing a sparkling row of white teeth. “We weren’t expecting you for quite some time now.”

Clearly.

“How was Ohio?” she asks politely, crossing her arms over her chest, seeming only a trifle embarrassed to be caught in my boyfriend’s t-shirt and not much else first thing in the morning.

Is she crazy? Does she now realize how much I want to tug at her short, fashionably tousled hair until there’s nothing left? Doesn’t she know how much I despise every breath of air she takes? Is she not aware of the hot angry tears that are burning in my eyes, and my devoted refusal to let them fall?

“Are you alright? You look a little…off,” she suggest, peering at me curiously.

I glare at her incredulously. It wouldn’t exactly take a genius to realize that I’ve found her and Justin out. And yet she maintains her nonchalant, polite manner. Ah, I see. So not only is Miss Hobag an immoral whore, she’s stupid too.

Congratulations, Amber, you’re a wonderful asset to the human species.

Although I should probably spare the sarcasm with her; she simply doesn’t have the brains to understand it.

Without saying a word, I brush past her, and when I say brush I mean roughly push, into Justin’s room. I swing the door open, hearing it ricochet off the wall and bang loudly, letting a pocket of light from the hallway flood the dark room. My eyes dart over Justin’s angelic sleeping form sprawled across the bed to the tightly shut curtains, refusing to let in the slightest bit of light.

Furiously exhaling a lungful of angry air, I stomp over to the curtains, brutally ripping them open. The morning sun pours in, bathing the room in light, but Justin simply emits a few groans before rolling over away from the window, draping a muscular arm over his eyes. My eyes take a little gander over his cross tattoo and onto his chest, observing the deep grooves of muscle artfully sculpted into his body, down the little line of downy hair on his stomach, disappearing under the sheet, leading to what I can only imagine is…

No, Cat, no. That is completely off topic and irrelevant. Stop it.

I need to do something. Something that will snap him out of his post-sex slumber and make him as pissed off as I am. If he could only feel the nervous shaking of my stomach, as though someone has simply stuck a knife in my insides and proceeded to turn it in rotation, over, and over, and over again.

Seizing a stuffed toy cat he bought me months ago, when I was angry at him and Sean and stormed off to Diane’s and he bought it as a peace offering…whatever, I don’t remember. Regardless of its origin, I hurl it towards the bed. The small cat bounces off his hard body and lands with a soft thump a few meters away, but provokes a slight stir from him. He shuffles in the bed, rubs his eyes, and turns over towards the window, squinting at the sun.

But it’s not enough. Being temporarily blinded by the morning light cannot possibly create the same gut-churning feeling in my stomach as I stare at him, my perfect little world coming crashing down with a resounding bang. Wedding? Pft, there will be no wedding. There will be no relationship; there will be no Cat and Justin.

There will just be me. Alone. Again.

I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later; I was the chubby little girl that got her ten seconds of happiness. My mind tells me to be grateful, as some people don’t even get as much. I just wish my heart would follow suit.

I wonder whether he was going to tell me he had cheated on me. Would he have just written it off as a one time thing and never spoken of it again? Would he and Amber have embarked on some strictly screwing relationship behind my back? Or would he just have dumped me and started to date the malnourished twig who is named after a particularly ugly plant? It could be any of the three.

The choking feeling of tears creeps up my throat, like ivy wrapping around a tree. I swallow desperately, trying to ignore the stinging sensation in my eyes and channel more energy into the slowly dwindling anger. Hate him Cat, hate him for what he’s done to you. You can deal with the bitch later--just breathe on her and she’ll snap in two.

“Cat?” comes a low grumble from the shifting figure on the bed. “Cat…is that you?”

No. It’s the angel of the Lord. “Yes it’s me,” I reply, in what I had planned to be a confident voice, but what actually sounded like a five year old who had just been told off.

“Baby?” he smiles weakly, trying to sit up as he rubs his eyes again. “Are you back?”

My natural instinct was to run towards the bed and jump on it, engulfing Justin in a hug as I did so, and perhaps shower him with kisses to show him my jubiliation about returning. But I manage to harness my natural instincts and stay frozen by the window, staring at him blankly.

“It looks like it, right?” I manage to strangle out frostily. My hand unconsciously reaches behind me to grip the curtain material for support, much like a child would do if they were crossing the road.

He gives me a confused look, before washing it away with a smile. “Well, c’mere girl,” he says, holding his arms out for a hug.

My grip on the curtain tightens. “I don’t think so.”

He frowns slightly. “Why not?” He grins slightly. “Don’t think I haven’t noticed that that skirt exposes copious amounts of sexy legs, Miss Saunders. And what’s been up with your cell? I haven’t been able to get in touch wit--”

“I suppose you’ve been having your fill of sexy legs lately, huh?” I interrupt, looking down at the carpet.

He opens his mouth to reply, before pausing. “What?”

“Don’t play dumb with me, Justin. I’m not as stupid as you think,” I viciously retort, locking eyes with him. “I mean Christ, you don’t even have the audacity to look ashamed.”

“Ashamed about what?” he asks, kneeling on the bed and letting the comforter slip to reveal little black boxer shorts covered in bright red hearts, which I bought for valentine’s day as a joke.

He’s fucking her in our bed, beneath our sheets, and he’s wearing my valentine’s joke. Bastard bitch bastard. I hope they both die from…looking too good or something.

“Oh wow Justin, I didn’t know you were an actor too,” I snap sarcastically, pushing myself away from the window to pace the room. “Honestly, I was trying to surprise you and all I see when I get back is…”

“Is what?” he asks in a frustrated voice. “I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

“Bullshit,” I reply angrily. “You know exactly what I’m fucking talking about!”

“No I don’t!”

“Honestly Justin, I was taking care of my sick father, and you took that as an opportunity to fuck around? God, that’s twisted,” I mutter, turning away from him and glaring at the very interesting shade of blue on the wall.

“Cat, have you finally gone crazy?” he says loudly. “For some reason, this isn’t exactly how I saw us reuniting!” he says sarcastically.

“Don’t act like this is my fault!”

“Like what is your fault?” he groans in an exasperated voice, shifting his weight on the bed.

“You’re full of shit, do you know that?”

“Cat, just tell me what I’ve done to get this Ice Queen Bitch attitude from you.”

“You know full well what’ve you done!” I exclaim, spinning around. “Jesus Justin, drop the Bible Boy act for just one moment and admit you did something wrong!”

“Fuck this, Cat! I’ve done fuck all wrong, and you know it! Who the hell are you to accuse me of…well, I don’t even know what the hell it is!” he shouts, his once sleepy appearance suddenly alert and angry.

“Don’t speak to me like that!” I defend, narrowing my eyes at him.

“What the hell is wrong with you!” he barks, shaking his head at me. “You won't even tell me what I've supposedly done!"

“You were supposed to love me!” I suddenly scream, silencing him. “And you don’t, you just fucked me over…just like I should’ve known you would!”

“What? I do love you!” he defends, shaking his head.

“Yeah, right,” I scoff, turning away from him as a tear burns its way down my cheek. “I’m sure you were thinking that when you were having sex with that emaciated beauty queen.”

There’s a silence only disturbed by my strangled breathing as I desperately try to keep my hysterics under control. Hastily wiping at my cheeks to remove the rivulets of black, mascara stained tears, I look at the floor.

“It’s oddly ironic, in a sadistic way,” I murmur quietly, a stark contrast to my previous shrieking tone. I shuffle the heels of my high heels together timidly. “You made it seem like I was the only one susceptible to cheating, when really it was you all along.”

“Baby,” whispers a small voice. “I haven’t cheated on you.”

I let out a quiet snort of disbelief, wiping my nose with the cuff of my shirt. “Justin, just don’t bother.”

“I’m being serious. I don’t know who told you or how the hell you got that assumption, but it’s true. I haven’t done a thing with Amber, or anyone.”

My heart flip flops dangerously in my chest, leaping at the chance that I may be wrong. “But I just saw her…out in the hallway.”

“So? She lives way down town. She sleeps over all the time because I don’t like her getting a cab so late at night. We live in New York city, for God's Sake.”

“But…but,” I mumble, turning around, still wiping my face. “She was wearing your t-shirt. With the…the thingy on it…the basketball. And she was all happy--”

“Cat, that t-shirt is from CFTC.” At my blank expression, he continues. “Challenge for the Children. Everyone who participated got a free t-shirt. Me and Trace have got one each.”

I chew my lip. “But she looked--”

“Like she had just had sex?” provides Justin gently. He nods. “She has.”

My heart plummets from its hopeful climb in my chest. “Oh.”

“But not with me,” he says softly. “With Trace.”

My mouth drops open. I pause, as though expecting to have misinterpreted his words as those which I really wanted to hear, but they seem to echo in the room, and I know that I heard correctly. He…he wasn’t cheating on me? Amber and him didn’t…

Oh god. My stomach knots up almost as soon as it loosens; I have just made the biggest idiot out of myself.

Shit.

“Are you telling the truth?” I gasp, looking at him with wide eyes.

“Of course I am,” he says, crawling out of the bed slowly, before standing in front of me, towering over my shocked frame.

"But..."

"Amber and Trace have been all over each other for weeks now. I thought you knew that?"

Relief mixed with embarrassment slowly gushes through my system, producing the odd effect of a sigh of relief and burning cheeks. My mind began to function properly again, and begged the question how could I even think Justin would do something like that? And if he did, he'd be a man and admit it. Why didn't I realize this ten minutes ago? Oh God, I could win prizes with my idiocy.

"Thank God," I whisper, burying my face in my hands as the tension in my body eased. "I was so worried," I say, more to myself than him.

"Baby, you know I would never do that to you. Just like I know you would never do that to me."

“I know, it's just..shit, Amber’s going to hate me,” I mumble suddenly, attacking my bottom lip with my teeth again. “She was trying to talk to me in the hall and I sort of…made it very clear how much the very sight of her despised me. Shit!”

Justin chuckles slightly. “Don’t worry about it, I’ve almost finished the work I have to with her. And then,” his voice drops to a whisper, “she’ll be gone!”

“Not if her and Trace become a couple," I don't suppress a shudder. “I’m getting sick of making jokes about her second name," I say meekly, trying to inject some humor.

He grins. “And I’m pretty sure she’s sick of hearing them.”

I shrug. “So, what’s been going on with her and Trace?”

Justin rolls his eyes. “Same old thing that happens to everyone, really. They flirted so much, sex was just inevitable. I could’ve told you that, had you returned my calls,” he teases, poking me in the stomach.

I grin. “Sorry, but I was canceling them; I wanted to surprise you.”

“Well, next time, just answer your cell phone. And ask me straight out, rather than screaming and then asking," He rolls his yes. "Guessing games suck.”

“Oh God,” I mutter, dropping my head to my hands. “I’m so sorry, Justin. I just saw her and the first thing that came to my head was--”

“Don’t worry about it,” he interrupts. “I know I’ve done my fair share of doubting too.”

"But I feel so stupid," I grumble.

"How do you think I felt everytime I accused you of sleeping with Sean?" he chuckles.

"I'm beginning to think trust is something we ought to work on," I smile, running a finger over his jawline, before sighing deeply. “I must look such a mess,” I murmur, running my hands over my face again.

He grasps my wrists and pulls them away from my face. “You look great.”

I laugh and sniff. “My great seduction return isn’t really going to plan,” I smile sheepishly, wiping at my face.

He laughs and uses his own hands to wipe away the scars of my tears. “I don’t know about that. Somehow the way you were telling me to drop the Bible Boy act really rang my bell.”

I giggle and bury my face in his chest, feeling his skin upon mine for the first time in two weeks. His arms wrap around me, embracing me in a tight hug as I deeply inhale. A moment later, his lips press softly against mine, and his hands slip into their usual position at a respectful place on my hips.

How could I even think about letting this go?

Chapter 18 by Teeny

Alas, the tables did turn for my fairest and I.

Loosely translated: For once, Cat was the one that freaked out, not me.

I can understand why she was suspicious; if I had seen Sean casually stroll around my house one fine Sunday morning in a tiny pair of boxers…well, let’s just say I probably would’ve acted first, asked questions later.

In retrospect, it’s quite funny. But that’s only because things always seem funny in retrospect, when you know that they ended positively. I’m sure Snow White laughed her ass off when she was tucked away with her Prince Charming because she choked on the tiniest piece of apple. Either way, the idea of Cat experiencing the gut wrenching fear of suspicion for once at least balances the somewhat tilted scales of jealousy between us. I’m always the one worrying about someone taking her away from me, I’m always the one frowning at some guy I think is getting too close…basically, I’m always the bitch.

But really, how could she ever think I could cheat on her? As horrifically immodest and boastful as it sounds, I treat Cat like a princess. I’ve only raised my voice at her a handful of times, I’m forever reassuring her, I am extremely generous in every aspect of our relationship and yes, I’m talking about sex here. I streak ahead of the average male in the Best Boyfriend in the World contest.

And why, you wonder? I’ve been in love before, does that mean I showered every girl with the attention and love I liberally bathe Cat in? Of course not. Would you like me to list the dozens of perfectly promising relationships that I’ve ruined with my appalling behavior? I’ve been a dick in the past; I can admit that as freely as I admit my fro days possibly weren’t as fly as I had originally suspected. I’ve cheated, I’ve lied, I’ve been unsupportive. Quite frankly, the more I can hide from Cat about my many indiscretions and mistakes, the better. She would die if she knew I had called girls fat, or once had sex in the bathroom with some chick whose name I didn’t know as my girlfriend sat innocently at the table, picking at her food.

I know what you’re thinking: this doesn’t sound like me. Well, it isn’t me; at least, not anymore. By the time I got to Cat, I think I had realized that perhaps my spiraling love life was partly due to my own actions. How could I blame a girl for cheating on me when I spent my nights stuffing dollar bills into girls’ g-strings? It was just immaturity, and thank god I grew out of it, but I had to realize that relationships weren’t just about me looking good and some girl catering to my every whim. I had to make the effort with her, just as much as she did with me; so that’s what I do with Cat.

All this said, Cat being who she is must be partly responsible for my sudden change of character. She’s so different from anyone I’ve dated before; I’ll never forget her clearly telling me to “stop being an asshole and remember I put on my pants one leg at a time, just like every other guy” when I started listing how many ‘Sexiest Man’ lists I had topped. How could I not fall in love with that?

She hums lightly as she taps into the laptop sitting in her lap, polishing up job applications. Her sock-covered feet bob up and down, causing the small cows patterned on them to nod repeatedly, and the navy blue blanket cushions her as she sits up on the bed, her feet stretched out in front of her. Her insistence to get a job within days of arriving in New York has been thrown off by her journey home, but like the little firecracker that she is, she’s immediately getting back to work on it minutes after emptying her suitcase.

“Cat?” I question, idly running my hand up her leg, hoping to distract her. My eyes come level with her pajama covered thighs, and I immediately snuggle towards the sky blue cotton fabric on her leg.

“Mm?” she responds, not lifting her eyes from the laptop.

“Why are you doing that when you could be talking to me?”

She smirks. “Because talking to you doesn’t get me a job, that’s why.”

“Well, it could. I mean, you could convince me to hire you as…I don’t know…a bag carrier?”

She slowly turns to look at me, throwing me her perfectly tuned ‘shut the hell up’ face. “Oh, where do I sign up?”

We lapse into silence again as I sigh and continue assaulting her leg with my hand. Amber and Trace went to spend the day at The Statue of Liberty, but Cat and I refused their invitation to join them. Not only does Amber throw Cat worried looks as though she’s afraid Cat’s going to suddenly rip her eyes out every five seconds, I just can’t be bothered calling Tiny in to plod around behind me as Cat fills me in with as much stupid information about The Statue as she can.

“Cat?”

She rolls her eyes and stops typing. “Yes?”

“You know how you’re a girl?”

“Brilliant deduction,” she replies, frowning at the screen and tapping backspace a few times, deleting what she had just written.

“Isn’t it annoying wearing a bra all the time?”

She leans back into the cushions on the bed, groaning in frustration. “Justin, if you’re this bored, just find something to do.”

“I’ve found something to do!”

“Annoying me is not an activity, Justin,” she scorns, but I can spy the smile lingering on her face.

Quickly pulling the black box of technology from her lap, I snap it shut and hold it above my head, out of her reaching grasp.

“Give that back!” she cries, leaping forward in an attempt to retrieve her beloved laptop.

“Nope,” I reply smugly, moving off the bed and taking the laptop with me. “This,” I shake the laptop furiously, feeling it slip slightly between my fingers, “is just distracting you from what should really be on your mind…me.” I finish with my trademark “aren’t I fantastic?” smile.

A giggle finally escapes her mouth and she rolls her eyes, trying desperately to look annoyed. “Look…honeybunch…I have work to do, and I need my computer.”

I protrude my bottom lip dramatically, trying to pout. “But I’m bored.”

“Well then--”

The ring of the phone cuts of her suggestion. She pauses, sighs, and then sticks her tongue out as a final response.

She picks up the phone with a grin, brushing the hair out of her eyes. “Hello?”

I place her laptop onto the vanity, (if I dropped it Cat would have my intestines out in seconds) and fold my arms across my chest, waiting to hear who could be on the phone.

Suddenly, a look of slight shock washes over her face. Her mouth drops open in amazement, and her eyes widen. “Here,” she says breathlessly, holding the phone out to me. “It’s…it’s…it’s Ashton Kutcher!”

“Ashton? Cool,” I chirp happily, taking the phone from her, ignoring the fox-caught-in-headlights look she projects as she numbly stares at me. “Hello?”

“Hey man, it’s Ashton.”

“Dude, how you doin’?”

“I’m good, real good, man. God, I haven’t spoken to you since, what…Wilmer’s birthday party?

I cringe at the drunken memory. “And seeing as all I remember from that is one massive keg of beer and a few dancing bikinis, that doesn’t count.”

He laughs good-naturedly, and I can perfectly picture him adjusting a trucker cap set on his wavy brown locks. “Well, the point is, since you went into hiding we’ve not heard one goddamn thing about you. Where did you go, Middle Earth?”

I laugh. “Well, I’m back in the real world now.”

“Yeah, I was going to try and punk you by sending your luggage to Ethiopia or something.”

I shake my head, still smiling. “I appreciate that, thanks.”

“Anyway,” he briskly moves on, in his signature straight forward manner. “The deal is; I’m in New York and, rumor has it, so are you.”

“Yeah, I am. Makes things easier for work,” I shrug. “But what you doing all the way up here? I didn’t know you had property up here.”

He lets out a nonchalant scoff. “You know me; I’m everywhere.”

Chuckling in agreement, I sit on the bed, straightening the comforter before I do so. A frown is thrown in Cat’s directions as she immediately crouches down beside me, listening to my conversation with rapt attention. She peers at me inquisitively as I return her gaze with a raised eyebrow. Cat’s never this interested in anything I’ve ever say, what’s so great about Ashton Kutcher?

“Anyway, I’m in New York checking out this club that I’m thinkin’ of investing in. Suite 16, you heard of it?”

“Heard of it?” I snort. “I’ve been there plenty of times. Great place, if you know how to get in.”

“Exactly,” he replies. “Anyway, I’m gathering a whole bunch of people for a bit of a party there tonight. Demi’s filming in Cali, so, you know…” he chuckles. “I’m out to play.”

I laugh and nod. “I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

“You’re welcome to come along if you’re not busy. I’m gathering a whole bunch of people and everyone’s been asking for you. They think you’ve like, fallen off the face of the earth or something.”

“Sometimes I think I have,” I reply, running a hand through my hair. “It’s amazing to realize the stuff you’ve been missing once you take a big step back from it all, you know?”

“Not well enough,” he answers bitterly. “I admire you man, it’s gotta take balls to just say fuck ‘em and go off on your own.”

“It’s not balls Ashton, it’s frustration,” I laugh.

He chuckles. “So, you wanna bring company? Who’s the hottie that answered the phone?”

I cast a look over at Cat, with pajama clad legs pulled up to her chest and her chin resting on her knees, her wide, captivated eyes still staring at me. She looks adorable, wrapped up in remotely unsexily modest, warm, cotton pajamas; like a coy little girl, only this coy little girl has a woman’s body wrapped underneath that material. I smile and tug a lock of brown hair affectionately, watching as she grins shyly at me and looks down.

“That’s my girlfriend.”

“Oh yeah, I heard you were tied down. Who is it? Anyone I know?”

“No, I found myself an unknown. A diamond in the rough,” I grin, as Cat giggles and swats me with a pillow.

“Great, bring her along. It should be a good night.”

“Okay, we’ll try and check in.”

“Cool man, I’ll see you tonight. Anytime from twelve onwards; you know the drill.”

I smirk to myself. Yes, I know the drill; once it strikes midnight, the celebrities come out to play, safe in the knowledge that most are reasonably trashed enough to ignore your presence. The last thing you want is to go at ten o’clock and then have people gawking at you for three hours, waiting for you to suddenly jump up and perform a spectacular cabaret. I’ll never forget one girl asking me, “Why aren’t you having a dance off?” when I was sitting in the corner of a club, surveying the crowd. They expect you to always be ‘on’.

“No worries. Later.”

“Later,” he repeats, and the click of the phone lets me know he’s gone; presumably off to call up other potential partiers.

Flopping the phone onto the bed, I stand up to stretch, feeling Cat’s stare on me. “What did he say?” she asks excitedly, in a tone normally reserved for when she’s talking about chocolate.

I shrug. “He invited us out tonight.”

“Us? Us? What do you mean by us?” she enquires, gripping onto my forearm as I make a move to walk to the bathroom.

“He invited me, and then he said I should bring you along,” I reply slowly, trying to shake off her tiger-like grip. “They’re all going to Suite 16...I guess you’re not interested, huh?”

“What’s Suite 16?”

I stare at her blankly for a moment. “Oh come on, you must’ve heard of Suite 16.”

She shrugs and shakes her head.

“What about Lotus?”

She bites her lips in thought. “Isn’t that a car?”

“Oh dear, Cat,” I shake my head disapprovingly. “I really need to get you out to more clubs.”

“What’s that got to do with anything?”

“They’re clubs; Suite 16 and Lotus are clubs,” I reply quickly, before I have time to dwell on the fact Cat is such a recluse. “Ashton wants me to go to Suite tonight.”

“Are you going to go?”

I tilt my head in contemplation. “Nah, you just got back. I haven’t got to spend any time with you yet.” With that, I gently unlatch her hold on my arm and bend to kiss her head. “And I know you won’t want to go anyway, so--”

Just as I was making a second attempt towards the bathroom, Cat suddenly yelps, “Oh no, I do.”

“What?” I frown, turning back.

“I do,” she says quickly, a blush tinting her cheeks. “I mean…if that’s alright.”

I pause and fold my arms across my chest. “This hasn’t got anything to do with your little schoolgirl reaction to Ashton Kutcher, does it?”

Her blush deepens. “What do you mean?”

“It’s…it’s Ashton Kutcher!” I gasp, clutching my chest and impersonating her initial teenybopper response. It’s so unlike Cat to have anything other than a purely indifferent response to people, so seeing such an out of character and more the point ditzy one is quite something else.

“Shut up,” she responds, punching me on the arm.

A faint smile lingers on my lips. “So what, you have a…a crush on him?”

“No!” she hotly denies, her cheeks burning a cute crimson.

“You…you do,” I say in disbelief. “But I thought crushes were meaningless infatuations with overrated, conceited wannabes?” I quote, after what she said when Trace and I were discussing the hotness of a certain Ms Jackson.

“They are,” she replies primly, standing up and crossing the room to retrieve her laptop. “I don’t have a crush.”

“Oh really?”

“Justin, why would I like someone who got famous by repeatedly saying the words ‘dude’ and ‘sweet’?”

“I don’t know, you tell me.” I smile and hook my finger on the back of her pajama bottoms, pulling her back. “You’re the one with the crush.”

“Shut up!” she repeats, slapping my hand away and storming back to the bed in a huff. “I just happen to think he’s attractive, that’s all,” she mumbles, opening her screen and making a very poor attempt at pretending she’s interested in her work.

“Ah, so you admit it,” I tease, tossing myself down on the bed beside her.

She’s silent, before turning to me with a smile. “You know what? I do. I can’t wait to pull him in the bathrooms for hot, unprotected, sweaty, raw, animalistic sex in the cubicle.”

My grin vanishes as fast as a kid running after the ice cream truck. “What?”

“Let’s hope the music covers my screams, huh?” she says, turning back to her computer and calmly jabbing at the keys again. “I’m sure Ashton can get to all those spots that other…less fortunate men can,” she finishes, casting me and the sacred area around my hips a pitiful glance.

My brain is foggy with shock as I stare at her wordlessly, my mouth hanging open in shock. “What the fuck?!” I snap suddenly, the fog evaporating instantly. “I will not watch as my girlfriend sleeps with some guy who thinks making me cry is funny!”

“He made you cry?” she frowns, before a look of realization washes over her face. “Oh yeah, I remember that. On his show. Now that was hilarious.”

“It was not!” I bark, jumping off the bed for the sole purpose of stomping my foot. “He is a dick, Cat, a complete dick. And for fuck’s sake, he’s not even that good looking.”

She tilts her head. “Oh, come on, Justin. Don’t be ridiculous. You and I both know that’s not true.”

“Fine, whatever…he’s just some fucking pretty boy with no balls!” I shout. “And how come you never asked me to have sex with you in bathroom? That’s not fair! I’ve known you longer; it’s my turn!”

Suddenly, a giggle that she’s clearly been holding in escalates into a laughing fit. She hunches over, her shoulders shaking rhythmically as she tries to hold a hand over her mouth. It is, of course, to no avail, as she continues to giggle to herself.

Feeling embarrassment wash over me, I roll my eyes. You know that table that turned for Cat and I? It just flipped right back over again.

“It’s not that funny,” I say wearily, folding my arms and waiting for her to calm down.

“Oh really?” she sniggers. “Honestly honey, how many times are you going to fall for that?”

“Sure, call me honey now,” I mutter, stamping towards the bathroom to take a shower. “So are we going tonight or not?” I yell through the beige walls, picking up a lavender colored towel which must be Cat’s influence; I don’t have chick colors like that in my house.

“I think it might be fun. After all, I haven’t been clubbing in about five years.”

“Okay, we’ll leave at half twelve or something!” I shout over the buzz of the shower as I turn it on.

“Great,” she murmurs distractedly, once again engrossed in her work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking good, feeling good. That’s what it’s all about.

Looking good and feeling good. The fundamental keys to party success.

Right, no problem, piece of cake… If you can’t tell, I’m subconsciously rolling my eyes at myself.

I haven’t been to a party since Justin’s birthday, which was what…three months ago? Three and a half? To some, that may seem like too long to have been out of the disco lights but to me, it’s not enough. Why did I willingly chirp, “sure Justin, I’d love to go to some glorified club where a glass of tap water costs five dollars and then watch as a few aspiring strippers tear it up on the dance floor”?

Well…okay…I do know why, (hint: starts with an Ashton, ends with a Kutcher). Like any female with a functioning brain, I find Ashton Kutcher very attractive; I can even look past some terrible films on his part (Dude Where’s My Car…what the hell was that?) and of course, hearing his smooth, cocky tone pour through the telephone made me a react in a very strange way. I clung to Justin, desperate to hear what he was saying, and then made a halfhearted attempt to disguise my crush. Of course, I slipped in an opportunity to tease Justin about sleeping with Ashton; honestly, he just set himself up for it.

Amid all of this, I willingly offered to go to the club with Justin. I know I just got back yesterday and Justin and I won’t be able to speak over the thumping bass of the music, but it should be fun. I must be the only person in New York who is yet to have a taste of its nightlife which, in colloquial tongue, means I’m a loser. I’m sure a evening of drinking heavily and watching people gyrate animatedly will do me good.

Glancing towards the clock, the luminous green numbers of twelve and fifteen flash at me, informing me that I have about a quarter of an hour to finish the dramatic transformation from shy workaholic to tempting sex kitten. Ha.

The glittery blue eye liner that Dawn had to teach me how to apply leaves a discreet streak of color underneath my eyelid, before swooping across the line above my mascara twirled lashes. Blinking a few times and quickly digging at any splinters left by the pencil, I do the same to the other eye and stand back, scrutinizing my shimmering blue eyes. They look…nice. Bigger than usual, and the light reflects off the sparkles in the blue, making my eyes seems almost electric, rather than the wishy washy blue that they usually are. Justin says he loves me eyes and normally I disagree, but I suppose with a bit of make up they look okay.

“Baby! You ready?” comes a shout from downstairs, where Justin lays coolly on the couch. He threw on a shirt and black pants, ran a hand through his hair, adjusted the little beaded necklaces he occasionally dons and that was it. No fuss, no drama, and he still looked like a million dollars.

As for me, well…an hour and a half of careful planning and precision still only make me amount to “um…not bad”. If I adopted Justin’s method I’d probably look like some orc extra from Lord of the Rings.

“Coming!” I reply, sweeping some lip gloss across my lips quickly, spritzing myself with some musky scent, and taking one final glare at my appearance. Fluffing my curled hair with one hand and pulling down the black halter neck with a slightly plunge in the neckline with the other, I let out a shaky breath. The jittery feeling in my stomach tells confirms my suspicions; tonight could be fantastic…or it could be a total and utter car crash.

Let’s hope for the latter.

Trotting down the steps, I carefully formulate the movements of my feet, should I unexpectedly fall head first down the carpeted stairs and land in a tangled heap at the bottom. As hilarious as that may sound, it’s a feasible possibility.

“Wow, you look great,” says Trace, feeling quite free to look my body up and down. “That top makes your boobs look real good.”

“You sound like my sister,” I mutter, rolling my eyes and walking down the rest of the steps. “But I’m going to ignore that typically male comment and say thank you.”

“You look fantastic,” beams Justin, holding out his hand to help me down the rest of the steps.

“Really?” I blush, tilting my head to the side coyly.

“Yep,” he replies, brushing his lips against mine. “And you taste like strawberry.”

“And I refuse to stand hear listening to you two and see who can out compliment the other, so let’s just go, okay?” Trace says, opening the door.

I smile and go first, swishing my hips with relish, much to Justin’s pleasure. He squeezes my waist and winks at me when he returns to my side. I feel like quite the celebrity as Tiny and another bodyguard who looks like Tiny’s equally huge twin, Mike, open the door for the gleaming silver SUV. My jeans slide across the black leather seats smoothly, and I comfortable sit at the window as Justin and Trace hop in beside me. The car quickly rumbles into action and we glide through the streets of New York, weaving through the traffic.

No sooner had Justin and Trace gotten into a discussion on who was the best looking Friends girl, the car pulled up at polished wooden door with a silver 16 above it. On either side of the sidewalk, held off by flimsy red velvet rope, sat a huddle of photographers, their large black cameras poised for action.

I frown. “What are they doing here?”

Justin peers out of the window and groans. “Oh…great…”

“They probably saw Ashton so they know something’s going on tonight,” supplies Trace.

“A day after they left my house, too,” Justin mutters bitterly. There had been a few odd articles of Justin swimming around the past few weeks, but nothing had been printed about me or any other ‘personal assistants’. The cameramen must have gotten bored, as they rarely stand outside Justin’s apartment anymore.

“Let’s go,” orders Mike’s gruff voice. He and Tiny step out first, followed by Trace, Justin, and finally, myself.

Within seconds, I can hear the whirr of cameras and the blinding of flashes. In the spasm of flickering lights, Justin drops my hand and rushes ahead of me inside the building, covered by Tiny. Mike places a firm hand on my back and pushes me towards the door as Trace rolls his eyes and walks in at his own leisurely pace. Cries of “Justin! Over here!” followed by “Are you a friend? How do you know him?” fill the night air, but with the closing of the pale wooden door, their shouts are blocked off and my attention is immediately attracted to my new surroundings.

The club carries the same vibe as Electric Lady Studios; funky, retro, and very cool. Deep reds and lilac curtains hang in the darkened building, with amber lighting shooting in every direction. Bodies appear to be everywhere; spread across the bar, dancing in the crowd, sitting awkwardly on the circular couches. Justin’s hand returns to mine and he pulls me after him, heading upstairs past a heavily manned door into a calmer, less crowded room with people sipping drinks or swaying to the music gently.

“That was fast,” I pant, clutching my chest.

“Sorry,” Justin grimaces, leaning in to speak in my ear. “I wanted to get up to VIP before anyone downstairs could see me.”

“Oh,” I reply lamely. This is hardly a situation I’ve been in often. How am I suppose to react?

“And I didn’t mean to brush you off outside; I just didn’t want the press to get a picture of us holding hands. You know, pandemonium would ensue,” he says, rolling his eyes.

“No problem,” I shrug, trying not to be drowned out by the excited jazz music.

“Hey! Hey, Timberlake!” a voice cries over the music, and the scattered bodies part to leave a pathway for the man approaching us.

His simple black top and washed out jeans held up with a chunky brown belt hang off his lean figure, and a suspiciously stylish messy crop of brown wavy hair sits atop his head. The scruffy beginnings of a beard tickle his handsome face, and naturally pink lips grin at us, showcasing perfectly straight, white teeth.

Hello, Mr. Kutcher.

“Hey Justin!” he says excitedly, grasping Justin in for a handshake and a slap on the back. “How the hell you been?”

“Fabulous,” Justin replies, smiling at him. “Ashton, I want you to meet my girlfriend, Cat. Cat, this is Ashton.”

My hand bravely holds out to shake his, despite the energized hyperventilating of my insides. “Hi,” I gush, unable to stop the spread of a girlish grin.

“Nice to meet you,” he says happily. “Good to see you too, Trace.”

Trace nods in his direction and, to my great amazement, already has a drink sitting comfortably between his fingers.

“So, what do you think of it?” Justin asks, motioning to our surroundings.

Ashton shrugs non commitedly. “I dunno. Seems a little too ‘Page Six’ for my liking.”

Justin nods in agreement. “It probably makes a bomb of money, though.”

“True,” replies Ashton. “So, Cat. That’s an unusual name.”

“Short for Catherine,” I quickly answer.

He waits for me to say something else but when I continue to stare at him with dreamy eyes, he smiles. “Great.”

“Yeah,” I beam, looking at his chocolate colored eyes.

Justin squeezes my hand to attract my attention. When I turn to him, his hurt look does little to hide his jealousy.

“Where’s Demi?” he asks pointedly, sending me piercing glance.

“She’s in Cali man,” says Ashton. “Remember?”

“You guys doing okay?”

“Oh yeah, we’re great,” he smiles. “Best girlfriend in the world; second to yours, of course,” Ashton flirtatiously winks at me, causing a whole new round of coy giggles to erupt from me.

“Well, we’d better go get some drinks,” Justin says, placing a possessive arm over my waist. “We’ll catch you later.”

“Okay. Have fun!” he shouts, waving at us. “Bye!”

“Bye,” I whimper, watching the crowd swallow him up as I stand on my tiptoes, craning my neck to get one final look at him. That man is a God.

“Hey, Googly Eyes,” says Justin, squeezing my waist. “I understand you just met your crush, but do you think you can drag yourself away from your little fantasies long enough to dance with me?”

I laugh. “Sure, let’s go.”

He takes my hand and leads me through the moving crowd, who have suddenly come to life after hearing some 50 Cent song bang through the speakers. We find a space in the cluttered balcony amidst the throng of bodies. Justin immediately clamps a hand over my hips and twirls me around unexpectedly, my heel-encased feet skidding across the floor.

Before I can pivot off into the oblivion on the crowd, he grabs me again, pulling me back to him. He laughs at my surprised expression when I instinctively hold onto his strong biceps for support as I regain my balance. How embarrassing would it have been to cut through the crowd like some wound up toy on ecstasy? Thank God he caught me.

“Justin, I’m not the best dancer. Why don’t you dance, and I’ll clap?” I suggest.

He grins and shakes his head. “Come on little lady, let’s boogy.”

“But I can’t,” I complain. As the words leave my mouth, Justin once again spins me around and his lean torso greets my bare back.

“Everyone can grind, Cat,” he informs me, slowly moving his hips against mine.

“Oh no, not grinding…” I groan. “Trust me Timberlake, I don’t grind. It just ain’t pretty.”

“So?” he snorts. “We’re here to have fun and cut up a rug.”

“I can’t cut up the rug,” I protest, trying to turn around to face him. “I don’t even have scissors.”

He laughs and shakes his head, running his hands over my hips and the tops of my jean-clad thighs. “Just do it, young lady.”

Another objection prepares itself to spring off my mouth, before the stares of three contemptuous girls catch my eye. The look a few years older than me, with perfectly straight hair of varying shades of blonde and red tumble over their bare shoulders. Their sparkly tops that catch the lights flashing in the club cover…well, not much. Let’s just say the same effect could have been achieved with a few bottle caps.

Long legs climb out of their short skirts, adorned with stilettos no smaller than four inches. Green waves of jealous pour out of them, clearly in my direction, as I stand helplessly with Justin. Smirking to myself, I turn around and wrap my arms around Justin’s neck.

“Kiss me,” I order.

He gives me an odd look. “Excuse me?” he shouts over the music.

“Now. Kiss me,” I repeat, my gaze dropping to his glistening lips.

He frowns. “When did you have something to drink?”

I giggle. “Look over there,” I mumble, leaning in and resting my head in the crook of his neck, under the pretence of kissing him, whilst discreetly nodding towards the girls.

“Ooh, envy envy,” Justin laughs, massaging my hips with his hands.

“Exactly. I want to show them you’re mine.”

He leans back in surprise. “Cat, are you in there?”

I roll my eyes. “Just do it Justin, okay? And as ostentatiously as possible, please.”

He pauses, before shrugging. “Okay, but don’t complain when I don’t stop.”

I laugh as his lips greet mine, hungrily seeking my tongue out.

Cat--one. Slutty Clubbers--nil.

----------------------------------------------------

Fear’s talons rip their way through my body. I’m so scared, it actually…it actually hurts. It’s as though someone has brutally ripped through my insides and jumbled them all up.

I stare blankly into the mirror, seeing my made up face drain of any color. The blue eye liner smudges as a tear slips from my eyes, closely followed by another one. No…no. Why is this happening? To me? I’m a good person, I’m healthy, I’m young…the laws of nature don’t let things like this happen. This is supposed to happen to someone older than me, someone who has lived their life. Not me.

The night had been going so well. Justin and I had put on a magnificently dramatic show for disapproving onlookers, I had had a few apple martinis, Justin had chugged a few beers. Even my pathetic attempt at dancing didn’t dampen the evening.

But this…this isn’t just ruining tonight. This is the rest of my life. Or what’s left of it.

Hastily wiping away the tears that have fallen, I try to calm my erratic breathing. Please God, I silently pray, please let me be okay. I couldn’t bear it if I had…no, I can’t even say it.

The curls that I had agonized over earlier in the evening fall limply over my tear streaked face. I shed my halter neck a hateful look; if I hadn’t had to adjust the stupid silky creation, I would’ve never noticed anything.

Shaking my head, I hastily push on the heavy bathroom doors marked with 16. I gulp for air as my eyes scan the room for Justin. I need to talk to someone, I need to have someone calm me down. Justin might make things worse, but at least I’ll be sharing my burden with somebody.

Justin, Trace, and about three guys I only recognize as the men Justin’s been getting gradually more drunk with over the course of the evening, or morning, I should say, sit in a line on a semi circular red couch. Five shot glasses and three empty bottles of Jack Daniels lay on the table as they dissolve into fits of giggles over something that no one else finds funny.

Rushing over to them, I almost trip on the heels on my shoes that were designed to make my legs look longer. I snort, why does it even matter? Who cares about longer fucking legs?

“Justin, I need to talk to you,” I say, tugging at the elbow of his light blue shirt.

“I know, right?!” he responds to one of his friends, slapping his thigh in amusement. “It’s just so fucking hilarious!” His incessant laughter begins again, and I roll my eyes.

“Justin!” I say sharply, trying to be heard over the loud music.

“Yeah, baby?” he answers, turning to me dizzily.

I groan. He’s completely trashed. “I need to talk to you.”

“Go for it, baby cakes,” he grins, draping an arm over my shoulders.

“It’s serious Justin, something’s really wrong,” I try to explain, pushing his arm off me and feeling tears once again build up in my watery eyes.

“Okay,” he says, setting his glass down and trying to look sincere.

“Justin…” I begin shakily, looking into his smiling eyes. He grins at me, as though waiting for some fantastically funny joke. I’m sorry sweetheart, I’m all out of jokes.

I stop myself before continuing; he’s in no state to hear this. He probably couldn’t even spell his name right now, let alone take on something as excruciating as this. It’s just a waste of time, not to mention his dramatics are no doubt increased when he’s had seven shots and a few beers poured down his throats.

“What is it, daaaarlin’?” he says happily, shifting on his seat as he beams at me.

I bite my lip, willing the tears to stay at bay. “Nothing Justin, nothing.”

Chapter 19 by Teeny
1. What Brought Us Here?2. It's Just Emotions3. Beautiful4. A Little Retail Therapy5. Birthday Surprises6. Handcuffs and Hangovers7. Trouble in Paradise8. It's Just The Beginning9. Battle of the Boyfriends10. Two of a Kind11. From Peanuts to Paparazzi12. New York, New York13. A Bad Day14. Feeling Good15. A Sudden Exit16. Back Home17. No Idea18. After The Storm19. Plunging Into Darkness20. Apart21. Truthful To Some, Not To Others22. Keep On Walking23. Searching For The Truth24. Broken25. Almost, But Not Quite26. Still Not There27. Wrong or Right?28. The Messy End29. Feeling the Gap30. No Procrastination31. The Fun of Flirtation32. The Morning After The Night BeforeI sat patiently in the cluttered office room, staring at the various achievement plaques on the wall and gently strumming my hands on my knees. So this doctor went to Harvard Medicine, huh? Impressive. I had a cousin who went to Harvard to do Law; maybe they know each other?

The door suddenly opened and a beautiful black women with smooth chocolate colored skin and jet black hair scraped back into a bun entered the room, flashing me brilliantly white teeth as she sat down.

“Hello, Ms Saunders.”

“Hi,” I said, smiling at her and adjusting my skirt.

“And how are we feeling today?” she asked, shuffling a few white papers in her hand and sifting through them.

Why do doctors say we? Are they referring to my imaginary friend that is apparently sitting in the seat next to me? “W--I mean, I’m fine, thank you.”

“No pain, no nausea?” she enquired halfheartedly, clipping the pieces of paper together and rolling over to the filing cabinet to store them away.

“Not at all.”

“Good, that’s very good,” she said, looking up at me once again to smile. “And how are you emotionally? Do you find yourself irritable, or particularly sensitive?”

“I’m always irritable and sensitive,” I grinned, watching as she smiled politely, clearly not finding my joke as amusing as I did. “No, I’m alright.”

“Excellent.” She clasped her hands together and leaned forward on the desk. “It can be a stressful situation, and I’m happy to see you are coping well with it.”

I frowned at her as politely as I could. “Excuse me?”

“Some women can find themselves reacting very badly and even have to resort to medication. A large number, in fact, take post operation counseling, which is available--”

“What?” I interrupted. “Why would I need counseling? Nothing’s wrong with me.”

She paused, softening her brow and looking at me sadly. “Well, we hope not. Be sure to come back to us in three months so we can run a mammogram…”

“What do you mean, you hope not?” I demand loudly.

“Ms Saunders…” she says gently, casting a sympathetic look down my body. “There are chances of the cancer returning. You are aware of this, yes?”

I quickly inhaled in shock, feeling my lungs swell with apprehension. Cancer? The deadly disease that wipes out millions? I followed her gaze down my body, and gasped when my eyes landed on a deep red stain, splurged over the white cotton of my shirt. I pressed a hand to my chest, only to find a flat, empty space where the curves of my breast should have been. Blood seeped from my top onto my shaking hands as I hastily wiped away the dark red stain, streaking its terrifying color over my clothes.

“What the hell have you done to me?!” I screamed, standing up so quickly the chair fell to the floor with a clatter.

“Ms Saunders, you knew this was going to happen. It was our last option,” the doctor tried to futilely explain to me as I sobbed into my blood-tainted hands.

“How could this happen?” I cried, looking down at my disfigured form. “To me! Why?”

“The lump was cancerous! We had to perform a mastectomy otherwise the cancer would have spread!”

“No, no, no,” I mumbled, stumbling backwards helplessly. “This can’t be true. I can’t be sick. What about my life? What about the kids I wanted to have?”

“Just be thankful you’re alive at all.”

“This isn’t living,” I stuttered, staring down at my blood drenched front. “This is worse than being dead.”


--------------------------------------

My eyelids snap open with a start, as though I’ve suddenly been slapped away from Dream Land and landed back in reality with a thump. My eyes swiveled to the right, blinked, and then swiveled to the left. The blurry image of the room slowly comes into focus as I rub my eyes furiously, surprised to find my face damp from tears.

My heart continues to pound incessantly against my chest, as though its begging to break right through my rib cage and out into the stuffy air of our bedroom. Sighing and glancing over to see the other side of the bed empty, I reluctantly push on my glasses, my nightmare kindly repeating in my head. That was without a doubt the most vivid, disturbing dream I’ve ever had the misfortune of experiencing, including the horrific nightmare I had after seeing Jurassic Park when I was eleven.

The formless white T-shirt pools around my body as I slowly trudge down the stairs. Stopping at the bottom, I close my eyes and press my hand to the side of my left breast, almost erupting into tears when I can still feel the small lump, the size of an M&M, in the crook of my armpit.

I try to calm myself by taking a few deep breaths and rubbing my forehead. My heart rate slows slightly, but nothing can rid me of the fluttery feeling inside of my stomach, as though my internal organs decided to have a house party without notifying me.

“Cat?” calls a voice from inside the kitchen, as the drawling sound of morning radio creeps out of the room underneath the door.

Giving myself a vigorous shake, I push open the door to see Justin and Trace bent over the stove, frowning at the dials.

“Morning,” they greet in unison.

“Hi,” I reply quietly, pulling a stool from under the island to sit down.

“How you feelin’ today?” asks Trace, putting his head into the oven.

“Unless you want to end up like Hansel and Gretal’s beloved stepmother, I suggest you remove your head immediately.”

He pulls his head out and grins. “Got a hangover, I take it?”

I sigh and rub my eyes. “I suppose I do have one, yes. I’m surprised you two aren’t dead with all that crap you drank last night.”

“We’ve wisely inhaled about fifty Advil each,” Justin smirks. “You want one?”

“Sure, why not,” I mutter, holding my head in my hands dejectedly.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Justin asks, patting my back and sliding the bottle of Advil towards me.

“Nothing,” I mumble, tugging at the stupid child-safe lid of the plastic bottle that has somehow managed to outsmart me. I hastily twist it one way, before screwing it around the other way in annoyance.

“You want a hand with that?” Justin offers, raising his eyebrow at my twisting hands.

“I’m perfectly capable on my own, thank you,” I retort with a bite.

Justin recoils. “Okay, don’t have to get bitchy.”

“I’m not being bitchy, you’re just trying to tell me what to do,” I snap, trying to unscrew the bottle cap at the same time as staring at Justin menacingly. “And I don’t appreciate that.”

He holds up his hands in defense and backs away. “I see someone woke up on the wrong side of bed today.”

“Just back off!” I shout, shoving my stool back to stand up. “Stop trying to piss me off.”

“Oh yeah, because I’m clearly doing everything in my power to provoke you!” he says sarcastically.

“Yes, you clearly are,” I reply, shaking my head angrily at him. When one final pull won’t budge the lid, I let out a small scream and throw it on the island’s smooth wooden counter. It skims across it and falls on the floor, clattering noisily in the still room.

The last thing I see before I stomp out of the room and upstairs in a flood of tears, are the confused expressions on Justin and Trace’s blank faces.

----------------------------------------------

“That was the worst PMS attack I think I’ve ever seen,” Trace says quietly, breaking our stunned silence.

“Do you think that’s what it was?” I think aloud as I frown at the door, as though I’m expecting it to give me an explanation as to Cat’s sudden insanity.

“Must’ve been. Not to mention the fact she’s hungover,” Trace nods, bending down once again to inspect the somewhat confusing dials on the oven. You would think that two grown men would have the capacity to deal with a simply cooking aid…apparently not.

“But I’m sure she’s not due for another week and a half,” I frown, tilting my head to the side in thought.

“How the hell do you know?”

I snort. “Trust me; with Cat’s mood swings, you wanna be as prepared as you can; Those bitches are vicious. If I can at least keep a track on when they are, I know when to expect to have my head bitten off.” I shudder in memory. “Remember when she started crying because we ran out of mayonnaise?”

Trace stands up straight and places a hand on his hip, rolling his eyes. “Hey, you weren’t there the time she started shouting at this guy that was standing too close to her in the subway.” He shakes his head regretfully. “She told him she wasn’t in the mood for some homeless pervert to press themselves against her and threatened to call the police if he didn’t move at least three feet away from her.”

“Well, there’s nothing wrong with that,” I reply proudly. “You know there are freaks in the subway; I’m glad she can stand up to them.”

“Standing up to them is one thing, telling them that she would rip out their tonsils if they didn’t get away from her is another.”

“But I was sure it wasn’t for a little while,” I continue, returning to my original point.

Trace shrugs. “Then just put it down to a hangover. You’re no Mary Sunshine when it comes to the morning after either.”

I nod sheepishly. “Yeah, she’s probably just in a bad mood. I‘ll just leave her alone and not bother her.”

Trace turns one of the knobs on the oven and jumps back when it roars to life with an orange glow. “Hey, I think I worked out how to turn the oven on.”

------------------------------------------------------

I wasn’t expecting an appointment so quickly. In fact, I’m surprised I mustered up the courage to book an appointment at all. Granted, my hand was shaking as I dialed the numbers into the telephone, and I did almost burst into tears at the calm voice of the bored receptionist, but that’s irrelevant. At least I managed to call.

I was tempted to leave it. Just ignore it, assume it was a cyst, and move on with my mind-numbingly boring ways. Isn’t that always the way with niggling health worries? If you think you’ve got a cavity in your teeth, who actually rushes to the dentist to get it sorted straight away? It’s much better to let it simmer for a few days before begrudgingly agreeing to see some guy that makes you say, “Aah”.

But I can’t ignore it; I’m not even going to try. I’ve known the lump was there for about ten hours, and already it’s causing me problems. I lost my temper with Justin and Trace over…well, nothing, and I can’t even look at myself in the mirror without feeling a wave of nausea wash over me. I remember reading a book on breast cancer when I was in the ninth grade called, “Don’t Ignore It, It Won’t Go Away”, and the book made it painstakingly clear that if she had gone to the doctor’s before, her case would have been much improved. In fact, she died in the end, leaving behind a son and two daughters. Well, no one can say I didn’t read hard-hitting books at fifteen, or however old I was.

I know breast scares aren’t rare. Sophie had one when Cameron was just born, and it just turned out to be a blocked gland. She was so casual and unbothered by it, as though she knew it was benign from the get go. Why can’t I be like that? Why did five different scenarios which, by the way, all ended horrifically, pop up into my head the moment I felt something? I know I tend to pour over tiny little things that don’t mean anything, like the time I thought I had poisoned my blood stream by getting shampoo in my eye, but this is serious. This is no funny little anecdote that I’ll laugh over in a few weeks. There’s no mistaking that something is very wrong, and I have to find out what it is.

And tomorrow at eleven forty five precisely, in the NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Center, that’s just what I’ll do. I wish I could ask Justin to come with me; just as a hand to hold onto and a comforting voice in my ear. Although Justin does love to indulge in his little melodramatics, I have seen him just mentally give himself a slap and get on with things. Once, we broke down in the middle of the highway; I was in hysterics, but Justin just very coolly called a mechanic and we were rolling an hour later. But when he sees me having lunch with a co-worker, he thinks I’m sleeping with them? Ridiculous.

They say between couples, there should be no secrets, and Justin and I fully abide by that rule. I even described to him in extreme detail losing my virginity (which went along the lines of awkward, painful, and over, all in three minutes), and he has told me every single moment of his rise to fame. That’s a good thing about Justin and myself; we’re both great talkers, especially when it’s one on one. In crowds, I’m definitely more introverted; just a little shy and reserved, and in some aspects, Justin is too. He can be in the limelight, but equally, he can just sit in a corner and have a quiet conversation. Either way, we both have a lot to say, and we say it to each other.

So keeping a secret like this is against the rules. Keeping a secret that could potentially ruin our lives is very much against the rules. But I just…I just don’t want to involve him yet. Involving him would just be another person’s feeling to take in consideration when, quite frankly, I’ve got my own to worry about. Even if he does react well to this, I know I’ll be able to tell he’s worried about me. On the rare occasions that Justin is afraid of something, it’s written all over his face. In his eyes, in his movements, in the amount of times he licks his lips. Everything just ties together to make it crystal clear he’s terrified inside.

I’m not going to do that to him. I’m not going to put him through a battle that isn’t his own. I’ll go to the doctor, find out what I have to do, and just do it. No complications, no problems, no interference, no help.

No Justin.

--------------------------------------------------------


To the right of me, a baby wails persistently. Its mother impatiently waves a pacifier in front of it as she reads a tattered copy of People, too engrossed in her magazine to pay attention to her crying child. To my left, a businessman dressed in a stark blue suit shouts loudly into his cell phone in a tone not entirely necessary, saying, “No, Sandra, tell the client that that is our final offer!”.

In every direction around me, people seem to be coughing, sniffing, limping, bleeding…no one seems healthy. The doctors and nurses who pace the hallways meticulously seem worn out and tired, with dark grooves etched under their eyes and pale, sickly looking skin. It’s as though everyone has been slapped with a dose of depression; nothing is happy or bright. Even the seats are a strange murky blue color, one so drab just looking at it makes me want to crumble in defeat.

Of all the places I wish to never be in in my lifetime, a medical center on the corner of 68th Street is right up there with eternal Hell and the Red Light District. I would give anything to be sitting at home, vegging out in front of the TV or walking through the Park with Justin wearing one of his ridiculous disguises so that people don’t recognize him. Anything, anywhere…but here.

The circular blue clock hanging on the dull white wall strikes twelve, and I groan in aggravation. Well, things would be running late, wouldn’t they? Just to make my day a little better. I want it over with; the sooner I’m in with a doctor, no matter how harsh their words may be, at least I’ll know what I have to do, rather than suffering in this limbo of doubt.

“Saunders, Catherine, please go to surgery five. Saunders, Catherine, surgery five.”

I roll my eyes at the intercom that does not sound dissimilar to a supermarket announcement, and sling my purse over my shoulder, heading to surgery five. A seemingly endless hallway leads me to Surgery five, which a shiny plaque informs me is Dr K. Hardy, and I knock timidly on the hard wood.

“Come in,” says the voice on the other side of the door.

I open the door slowly and send the stranger a meek smile. “Hello.”

“Hello, I’m Dr Hardy,” she greets, standing up to shake my hand. She looks older than most of the young medicine students I’ve seen walking around the corridors; her wiry gray hair is pulled back into a loose bun, and little wrinkles around her eyes tell me she must be at least fifty or so. But there’s a comforting air around her; she looks like a calming grandmother.

I try to maintain my smile as I inhale the clean smell of antiseptic. “Catherine Saunders, nice to meet you.”

She sends me a tight smile and sits behind her desk, adjusting her knee length white coat. “Well, Ms Saunders, what can I do for you?”

“Umm…” For reasons unknown, my throat goes inexplicably tight, and play with the hem of my skirt nervously. “I have some concerns.”

She folds her hand expectantly on the desk, nodding. “And they are?”

“Um…” I stumble again, feeling a panicky feeling rising from my chest up my throat. “It’s just…well, the other night, I….” Paralyzed with fear, I stare at her blankly, trying to knock away memories of feeling the exact same fear when I had to tell my principle at school that it had been me who had set off the fire alarm.

She blinks at me, apparently not unnerved by my choked silence. “Please relax Ms Saunders, I’m here to help.”

I nod and look down at my fiddling hands, a thousand needles pricking my eyes as I try to hold back my tears. “I found a lump,” I mumble, a blush rising to my cheeks. I know she’s a doctor and she must hear this all the time, but she’s still a stranger. Not to mention how bizarre those words sound coming from my own mouth.

“Alright,” she replies calmly, pulling back the paper on her clipboard until she finds the satisfactory page. “And where did you find this lump?”

“Here,” I mumble, pointing to the side of my left breast.

“Is it painful?”

“No.” She checks off something on the page

“And when did you find the lump?”

“Just two nights ago,” I reply quickly, as though I were at some pop quiz. “I just noticed it when I was adjusting my top.”

“Well, you did the right thing by coming to us immediately,” she smiles supportively. “Early detection is the best prevention.” I nod slowly, glancing down at my twisting hands. “And how old are you?” she asks, looking back in her papers, presumably at my insurance to see my birth date.

“Twenty two.”

“Breast cancer in people at your young age is extremely rare,” she says distractedly as some form of consolation as she writes. “80% of patients found with it are post-menopausal, and you evidently don’t fit into that category.”

“Mm,” I halfheartedly agree.

“Is there any history of breast cancer in your family?”

“Not that I know of…” I reply slowly. “I think a great aunt may have had it, but no immediate family.”

Dr Hardy nods and crosses another thing on her sheet. “And you’ve never had problems with breast health in the past?”

“No.”

“Are you breasts painful during menstruation?”

“Er…” I shrug. “They are a little tender, but nothing extreme.”

She continues to write as a thick stillness fills the room. Left with nothing to do, I idly drum my fingers on my crossed legs, hoping for something to take my mind off things. I wonder whether Justin is suspicious of my strange behavior for the past few days? Probably not; it’s not exactly out of character for me to become moody and withdrawn. Maybe he’ll ask me about it? Again, probably not; he and Trace are wise enough to just leave me be when I get too huffy.

“Would you mind stepping behind the screen and undressing so I can do an examination, please?” she asks, writing at lightening speed on the paper and pointing to a small green screen in the corner of the room that was my “changing room”.

I nod and step behind the partition, slowly peeling off my top and unhooking my bra, hanging them on the back of the hard seat in the corner. A few deep, cleansing breaths that are aimed to calm me down slow my racing heart slightly. A feeling of shame quickly washes over me as I come out from behind the screen and let the doctor examine me, her cold hands jolting my skin. I’m no exhibitionist; even getting measured for a bra makes me want to clamp my hands over my chest and run away, but here I clearly have no choice.

I fix my gaze intently on a spot on the wall that had a tiny fleck of red paint on it, and wait for her to finish her check up. I tried to imagine what Justin and Trace were doing right this second; probably in the studio messing around in that stupid way only boys can. Amber sadly went to work with another artist, so her and Trace broke off what was apparently a merely physical relationship and Justin will soon start work with his buddies Pharrell and Chad. He’s so ghetto fabulous around them; he drops into saying this like, “aight” and “that jam’s tight”, as I just sit, trying to figure out what they’re saying.

After my outburst yesterday, I shrugged off their questions as to what was wrong with me, and they relented fairly quickly. They obviously think I’m just in one of my moods, and I don’t particularly care to suggest otherwise. Justin was going to have lunch with Pharrell and Chad to finalize something, and as Trace is friends with them as well, he went too. Justin seemed a little disappointed when I told him that I was going shopping instead of to lunch, but he didn’t press the subject.

With my thoughts rapidly whirling around my head, I was too distracted to pay much attention to Dr Hardy’s ministrations, which was really the whole point of daydreaming. She nodded at me and gave me a reassuring smile, before returning to her desk and jotting down another stream of notes.

I awkwardly returned to the divider and put my clothes back on, before sitting back down on the unwelcoming black chair in front of her desk, anxiously tapping my foot. She finishes writing and places her pen down on the polished wooden desk, returning her gaze to mine.

“Okay, Ms Saunders…”

My head snaps back to the doctor’s face. “Yes?”

“Unfortunately, it is impossible for me to tell you whether the lump is benign or not without having tested the tissue or seeing a mammogram,” she explains calmly, folding her hands again. “So, I am giving you a referral for the nearest breast clinic and, from there, you will be able to see a specialist.”

“Okay,” I nod, trying to sound brave and confident.

“I would advise you not worry however; it could be a number of perfectly harmless things. A cyst, hyperplasia, sclerosing adenosis…” she smiles at me. “Nine out of ten breast lumps are found to be risk-free, and with those statistics, as well as your age on your side, I wouldn’t agonize over it.”

“But what if it is cancer?” I blurt out quickly, my voice rising. “What will I do then?”

“Then we will take the necessary precautions,” she says. “I know the horror stories there are about breast cancer, but it is one of the most researched cancers. There are so many available treatments nowadays, success rates are always on the incline.”

“And what will I have to do at this clinic?” I ask miserably, swallowing hard.

“It depends; they may take a mammogram, which is an x-ray of your breasts to see whether there contain cancerous cells. However, because you are under thirty five, your breast tissue may be too dense, so another alternative is an ultrasound scan.”

“But--but that’s for pregnant woman,” I stutter, squeezing my hands together.

She nods. “It’s the same procedure, yes. Again however, I have my doubts, as they may wish to go directly to the lump and perform a fine needle aspiration cytology.”

“What?” I choke out, my brain wearily soaking up the new information hurled at me with every word.

“This is where cells from the lump are drawn off using a syringe and a fine needle, and the extracted tissue is sent off for laboratory examination. Similarly, a core biopsy achieves the same effects, only it is a larger needle and the patient is given local anesthetic to numb the area. Either test will determine what actions must be taken next.”

“How long does it take for the results to get back to me?” I ask weakly, slumping in my chair.

“A week or so.”

“A week!” I exclaim weakly. “How can I possibly wait that long? It’ll just give me more time to imagine the worst.”

“That is why we recommend having a friend or relative with you when you receive the news; support from loved ones is essential, I’m sure you know.”

I guiltily look at my feet. “Yes, I know.”

“Do you have any other questions?”

I tiredly pinch the skin in between my eyes and shake my head. “No, no I don’t think so.”

“You may have to wait for an appointment in the clinic,” she explains, sliding a piece of paper over the desk to me. “I will send a referral, and they’ll get back to you.”

“How long do I have to wait?” I ask, picking up the piece of paper and checking over the details.

“Anywhere from one week to ten.”

“What?!” I protest once again, my eyes snapping back to hers and staring at her incredulously. “Ten weeks?”

“As I’ve said Ms Saunders, breast health is not uncommon. You are in the same position as thousands of women.”

From the tone of her voice, I realize I’m supposed find this a relief, however it only further depresses me that there are other women and men stuck in this horrible position.

“I’ve made your referral fairly urgent,” she continues, beginning to shuffle and organize the papers on her desk. “So I would hope you won’t have to wait more than two weeks.”

“Thank you,” I murmur quietly, folding the piece of paper and sliding it into my purse.

“If you have any more concerns, please feel free to contact me.”

“I will,” I sigh, standing up.

She holds out her hand for me to shake. “I would advise you try your hardest to just forget about it for the moment, and continue with your everyday life. There are many patient hotlines which--”

“No, no, that’s alright. I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure? Because this isn’t a nice thing to go through by yourself.”

“I’ll be fine,” I repeat more firmly, eyeing her with a cold stare. “Thank you for your help.”

“Goodbye.”

“Bye.”

It isn’t until I’m out of the stuffy clinic and into the open, albeit somewhat smoggy and polluted city air that I can freely breathe again. She didn’t tell me anything I didn’t really know, except for perhaps the long waiting around periods I’ll have. I just want to have everything done, dusted and forgotten. Apparently, things aren’t that easy.

I miserably walk along the streets, feeling the angry shoulders of hundreds of people brush past me, eager to get to their destination. My slow pace is nothing compared to the fervent speed of everyone else in this damn city. Why does everything have to be so fast? Why can’t people just slow down and reflect on what is going on in their lives, instead of rushing off to do yet another thing that will distract them?

As I munch on a one dollar hot dog that I don’t even like the taste of, I meander through the streets, thinking about Justin. Who else would I be thinking of? Should I tell him, should I not…would he assure me things would be okay, whilst really thinking the worst, or would he genuinely be positive about it? Needless to say he’s a little more of an optimist than I am, but perhaps optimism isn’t what I need right now. I need cold, hard realism. Someone who’s going to tell me honestly; well, yes, you may have cancer. Justin would never say that; he just couldn’t do it. Accepting the cold, harsh truth isn’t exactly his forte, and he’d far more likely say “everything’s going to be okay, you’ll be fine”.

I can’t tell him. I just can’t. It’s as though admitting to him that something may be wrong is like admitting it to myself, and I don’t think I’m ready to do that.

I thought I was pregnant the other day. Just for a split second, because I had my dates mixed up…but nothing can express how much that one second of pure elation made me feel. I surprised myself; I don’t want children at the moment, right? I’d just get an abortion and try to forget about it, wouldn’t I? But no, I didn’t want to. For just a moment, raw ecstasy took over me and thrust me into sheer euphoria, and I couldn’t imagine anything more beautiful than having a child.

Of course, then I realized that I wasn’t and laughed at myself a bit, but refused to let go of that feeling. I love Justin, I want to marry him and have ‘a gazillions of babies’, as my niece Cameron might say. I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

But how much life do I have left?

----------------------------------------------------

“Wouldn’t it be really weird if Saturday Night Live was filmed on a Sunday?”

“Dude, what the hell you sayin’?” answers Pharrell inattentively as he sits at the mix board, humming along to something Amber and I did.

“I was just thinking, you know, if they filmed it on a Sunday and the whole thing was a sham. Wouldn’t that be weird?”

“Incredibly,” says Chad, running a hand through his silky black hair as he leans back in his chair. “’Rell, what you thinking ’bout track three? I’m interested in a back hook of some drums.”

“Might overrun the guitar,” replies Pharrell, flicking a button and adjusting the yellow and white baseball cap on his head.

After lunch, we ended up sneaking into the studio to let Pharrell and Chad take a look at what we’ve already done to see whether they can add their little touches here and there. I have no idea where Cat is; she said she was going shopping, but we all know Cat only goes shopping when there’s something specific she or someone else needs, so God knows where she really is. I didn’t even bother pressing her about it;. I’m sick of running after her when something’s wrong, trying to find out what it is so I can fix it.

These past few days she’s been detached and just bitchy, and I can’t be assed with it. I haven’t a clue what is wrong with her, but whatever it is she should sort it out, because it’s annoying me. Why should I always be the one asking her what’s wrong? Why can’t she just come to me and talk to me without being asked? There are supposed to be two people in a relationship, not just one sucker who does all the work.

Perhaps I sound horrible, but am I really? She knows she can come to me whenever she wants, but why she’s chosen not to just confuses the hell out of me, not to mention pissing me off. This is not some PMS thing, this is just Cat being a bitch.

“Okay, well don’t you be thinkin’ I’m gonna get up at the ass crack of dawn for no reason. You guys better be here just as early!”

“We will be,” I assure Pharrell, who I didn’t even know had been speaking. “Catch ya in the morning, boy scout.”

After saying goodbye to Chad and Pharrell, Tiny and Mike kindly assist us home, past the few lingering photographers who for some unknown reason still actually give a shit. Back at the apartment, Trace proposes watching an Indiana Jones film and I begrudgingly agree; you can’t resist some Harrison Ford every now and then.

Footsteps gently coming down the stairs catches my ear, and when I turn into the hallway Cat comes into my view. She looks as though she's sick with the flu or something; her hair is all bunched up in a ponytail, her glasses are on, she’s wearing her pajamas.

“Hi,” I greet, not exactly coldly, but with little enough warmth to suggest I’m angry with her.

“Hey,” she says, finishing the flight of stairs and heading straight for the kitchen without even giving me a kiss and barely privileging me with a direct look in the eyes.

Nice. “How was your day?”

She pauses in her actions of pouring herself a glass of milk. “I’ve had better.”

“What did you do?”

She shrugs. “This and that.”

I roll my eyes at her vagueness. “My meeting went fine, thanks for asking.”

“Oh, sorry,” she replies, shaking her head at herself and putting the milk back in the refrigerator. “How are Chad and Pharrell?”

“They’re good; we’ll start messing around tomorrow.”

“Good, that’s good,” she murmurs abstractedly, taking her milk and brushing past me to go back upstairs.

“Wait!” I stop her on the stairs. She half turns, still depriving me of eye contact. “Do you want to watch Indiana Jones with me and Trace?” As if she can resist that.

She shakes her head. “No thanks. I think I’m going to head to bed.”

I flick back my shirt and look at my watch incredulously. “It’s three in the afternoon.”

“I don’t feel very well,” she explains, proceeding with her walk.

What the hell is wrong with her? “Fine. If you wanna act like this, then that’s just fine,” I retort, crossing the hallway to the living room and slamming the door shut before she can stutter a response.

I’m sick of running after her. If she has a problem, I’m not going to suck it out of her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A few nights of sleepless slumber had taken their toll on me, and I genuinely did just want to go to sleep when I got back to the apartment. It was also a perfect excuse to avoid any confrontation with Justin and Trace, who would wonder why someone who had been out shopping for four hours in New York city had failed to buy a thing. Justin slipped in a few comments that suggested he was less than happy with me, but neither of us were in the mood to talk it out.

Waking from my sleep at eleven thirty and finding that Justin still hasn‘t come to bed does little to console me. He usually likes to go the studio early and a full night’s sleep is essential in functioning in such a small space, so he should be up by now. I don’t blame him for ignoring me; it’s exactly what I’m doing to him, just on a grander scale.

No one has to tell me; I’m being unfair to Justin. God knows what he assumes is wrong with me, but I think in cases like this I can be selfish. I just need some time alone, to think, worry, I don’t know. Just be by myself.

Suddenly, the door opens, and a beam of light flashes in the dark bedroom, before it vanishes with the click of Justin closing the door. His feet quietly pad across the carpet, and the shuffling of him taking off his clothes ensues. After the bang of the closet door as he puts his neatly folded clothes away, the bed beside me shifts as his weight goes onto it. Immediately, his warm body shuffles near mine. There’s still an uncomfortable distance which I know is there on my own account, but it’s not too wide, and a few minutes later, he sneaks a hand around my waist.

“Cat? Are you still awake?” he asks, breaking the monotonous silence.

I consider not replying, before whispering, “Yeah.”

“Are you feeling better?” he responds, also in a whisper.

I close my eyes, calming myself down before I melt into tears at the click of a finger. “Um…not really, no.”

“Is there anything I can do?” He moves closer to me, pressing his lean torso into my back. “I feel bad about being a mean earlier.”

“Don’t worry about it,” I whisper, placing my hand on top of his own.

“Are you sure?” he persists, leaning over my neck and placing a few chaste butterfly kisses along my shoulders.

“I’m sure,” I gasp, feeling his hand glide across my stomach and threaten to go lower. The absolute last thing I want to do is have sex; not only is my libido somewhat diminished by my anxiety, but what if Justin noticed that lump? It would be too awful for words.

“Justin, I’m sorry. I just really don’t feel that great,” I whisper, halting his nurturing kisses.

He lets out a deep sigh and pulls away, reinstating the dreadful distance between our bodies. “Okay.”

“I’m sorry,” I begin, starting to turn over.

“No, forget it. Don’t worry about it,” he mumbles, pulling the blanket around himself and turning his back on me. “Goodnight.”

Tears prick my eyes at his turned back, shunning me out, just like I’m doing to him. Letting out a dejected sigh, I mirror his actions and crawl the edge of my side of the bed, already feeling the cold draft when his body isn’t there to wrap warmth around me. I’m shutting him out, and in return, he’s doing the same to me.

I’m sorry Justin, I truly am. I just can’t bring myself to open up to you, even though you’re probably the only person who could comfort me. I wish I could just tell you all about the hell that has been the last two days, and whatever the future holds; I could use some support during what is sure to be a whirlwind of waiting, anger, hurt, and hopefully relief. But for some reason, I can’t drag you into this. You’re too good for this.

But of course, my silent words fall on deaf ears, and we stay clung to their side of the bed, a giant wedge of secrets in between, in silence. For the first time in months and months…

Apart.
Chapter 20 by Teeny

In my opinion, men are open books that women can choose whether or not they wish to read. We’re nowhere near as complicated and multifaceted as they are; we need food, water, sports, and a little human contact--so basically, sex. Is that difficult? Of course not. Women need all kinds of crap aside from these basics, like friends, chocolate, gossipy chats, compliments, and tampons. I honestly have a lot of respect for any woman that manages to pull through life without having a mental breakdown; all the stuff they have to worry about is just phenomenal.

These little requirements bounce off each other nicely; women can serve men’s minimal needs, and we men can use our spare time to try and help women through their intricate, problematic lives. It’s the way the world works--tit for tat. A woman can give a man a nice cold beer as he watches a basketball game, and he’ll be happy. In return, he can buy her a wide selection of calorific chocolates when she’s going through the whole weird cycle and still tell her she looks like Michelle Pfeiffer. Straightforward, yes?

No. Not at all. Never. If things always worked out like that, Jerry Springer would have nothing to work with.

Cat and I seem to have grasped this mutual respect that should exist between men and women. She cooks for me and lets me watch mindless sports, and I change light bulbs for her and calm her down when she says she has a problem. Of course, this all seems very 1950s and stereotypically sexist, but we accept that her sensitivity and my attraction to Friday night games are small allowances in an otherwise liberal and modern relationship (I mean, how many couples in the 50s had a woman that insisted on being financially independent, and a man that actually cried at the end of Moulin Rouge?). We provide each other with the basic necessities with no hesitation; perhaps that’s the reason why our relationship has been as strong as it has.

So in a balanced and democratic relationship such as ours, if somebody in the partnership starts to slack off in their customarily generous and kind ways, it does not go unnoticed. When Cat decides to close up like a clam and deny me of any kind of contact, be that physical or emotional, I begin to speculate. There’s an expressive girl past those bastard walls protecting her, and once she trusts you, she’ll talk a mile a minute about her problems and opinions; she holds nothing back, and that’s wonderful.

Something is wrong with Cat, but I’m not going to dramatize things (for once), and say that I’m scared for the demise of our relationship, because that’s just stupid. I’ve learnt that, in relationships, things go wrong: simple as that. Love is meaning you can overcome to obstacles, not dodge them. The longer I'm with Cat, the more I accept that I have to get used to things hitting us along the way and putting a momentary rift between us; it's part of maturing to accept that your relationship isn't perfect. Love isn't perfect; lust is sure a blast, but love is hard work.

But Cat’s worth fighting for; that’s why I’m in no doubt that what we have is nothing short of true love, because I’m willing to do anything to keep this going. And I have the utmost confidence that whatever is wrong is something utterly…fixable, if there’s such a word. It would be easier to “fix”, as such, if I actually knew what the problem was, but that’s a mistake on both our parts.

For a week, there’s been an undeniable distance between us; she won’t talk to me, and I’ve been too immersed in recording and working out and being stubborn to push her. Without Cat talking to me and roping me into political discussions and philosophical ponderings, I have a lot more time to think and concentrate on work. There’s no doubt that she distracts me when I’m trying to record or get back into the business mindset. It’s not her fault in the slightest--she does nothing to entice me, but I find myself fascinated by her regardless. In the past, there was nothing that could pull me from my work; there was never anything better than pouring my emotions into music. Until Cat, of course. I'll toss off those headphones without a second thought when she comes into the room, because making music pales in comparison to her. She’s almost too much better, if that makes sense.

So naturally, as a result of this...‘silent argument’ between us and the lack of time spent together, my album has been progressing just beautifully. I even reluctantly agreed to start heading back to the gym to tone up a bit. It hit me suddenly, when I was watching Usher accept some award for Best Solo Male, that in a few months the whole treadmill of being a “pop star” will start again, and I’ll have to don the Justin Timberlake persona that I haven’t used in a long, long time. This includes killer music, a great body, a sparkling personality…everything. Preparation has to begin months before I even go back, and it’s essential if I don’t want my career to fall flat on its face. But these preparations take a huge bite out of my spare time, so unfortunately my moments with Cat have been and will be limited.

I don’t exactly know what she’s been doing with herself this past week. She drifts off into her own thoughts, doesn’t really integrate with myself or Trace, and has just generally been detached. She doesn’t come to the studio with me, so I assume she just hangs around New York and the apartment all day; and I’m not even going to attempt asking her to come to the gym…the phrase ‘wishful thinking’ pretty much sums up the chances of her saying yes.

I was tempted to drag whatever it is out of her, but as I’ve said before…why should I? She’ll come to me when she’s good and ready, and it’s not my job to run after her, begging to be allowed a window into her confusing mind. I’ve tried to do that for months, and it’s just not going to happen.

In the “real world”, the fact of the matter is; shit happens. The longer something goes well for, the bigger you can expect the problem that will eventually arise to be. It’s almost a relief when Cat and I occasionally have thunderous altercations, because it just proves that we’re real enough to be able to disagree, and that there’s something there that makes us want to always come back to each other. If we had a smooth and carefree relationship, something would inevitably come and knock us off our feet, and who knows whether we would want to pick it up again?

I'm positive that whatever is going on is...it's just a minor glitch, right? Ultimately, it will just make us stronger; I'm positive of that. I'll admit that it's not fun to watch a problem bubbling away between us, but I have to accept that relationships are hard work--there's no such thing as effortless love. But it is definitely, definitely not fun.

Not only is Cat emotionally shut off, she is also depriving me of bodily connection. Her kisses are quick and emotionless; she tends to lay in bed, huddled in the corner, rather than snuggling with me like we usually do, and as for sex…it’s just not happening. At all. For a whole week. This may seem like an irrelevant tidbit of too much information for some, but for a couple in their twenties to have a dwindling sex life…it’s not good. Cat may be a little prudish and shy, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t like having as much sex as I do. The girl can be a rampant little tiger when she wants to be, but that probably is too much information…

I could potentially explode over the situation. My girlfriend isn’t talking to me, she doesn’t seem remotely interested in anything going on around her, least of all me, and she has abruptly brought an end to a perfectly healthy sexual relationship. Things don’t exactly look good for me, do they?

But no, I refuse to be “Psycho Justin”; I will instead remain an island of cool, just taking each thing as it comes. This is a new Justin, a 'I am positive and confident my girlfriend is not cheating on me' Justin, a 'I will not fall prey to the title of Drama Queen that Cat gives me after every argument' Justin. A more laid back Justin. A better Justin.

Okay, Cat doesn’t want me to touch her; what am I going to do? Not panic, of course. Stomp out ideas that she's sleeping with someone else (because I admit I thought something was going on between her and they seventy year old doorman, but Trace hit me on the back of the head with a book, so that eliminated that thought fairly quickly), and try my hardest to be as blasé and unaffected by the news. I will slowly lure her back towards me with my irresistible charm and sexuality, and everything will fall into back place, and Cat will start smiling again. No prob.

“Cat?”

“Yeah?” a weak reply from the living room whispers.

I briskly stride into the room, seeing Cat’s slumped form sitting on the window sill, swinging her leg back and forth. “Oh, there you are.”

She turns her head to me and offers a weak smile. “Hi.”

“Hey,” I grin, walking over to her and holding my arms out. She awkwardly accepts my hug for a moment, before gently pushing me away and shuffling further towards the open window.

“How come you’re not in the studio today?”

I shrug and roll my eyes. “Didn’t wanna go. It’s far too hot to be cooped up in a studio today,” I remark, squinting my eyes and peering out of the window at the dazzling sun. The streets are filled with a humid smog, promising rain later on that day. But for the moment, the sun couldn’t be brighter, and people couldn’t be more desperate for a tan.

“It is hot,” she agrees quietly, returning her gaze back down to the sea of surrounding buildings, each of their peaks scraping at the clear canvas of blue.

“Why don’t we go onto the roof?” I suggest, tugging on her arm slightly. “I don’t know what’s up with the AC, but it’s like slowly burning in hell in here.”

She turns to me and frowns in doubt; the most emotion she’s shown all week. “I don’t think that’s very safe.”

“Oh, come on,” I urge, pulling at her elbow a little more urgently. “Me and Trace once hosted a whole party up there, and only like…one person fell to their death.”

Her head snaps around and she stares at me, wide eyed with disbelief. “What?”

“I’m just kidding,” I smile, poking her in the ribcage. At my touch, she visibly tenses, but calmly shakes her head.

“No thanks.”

“It’ll be fun; we can work on our tans,” I wiggle my eyebrows suggestively, as if to say ‘now there’s an offer you can’t refuse’.

She sighs and looks at me, as if contemplating whether she should just give up and say yes or tell me to fuck off, before succumbing and slowly nodding. “Okay,” she says, and immediately pastes on a fake smile as she puts on her sunglasses.

I help her down from the ledge and place a kiss on her cheek, before wrapping my arm around her waist and leading her upstairs. The fire escape leads to the summit of the building, and Cat’s grip on my hand tightens as she peers cautiously over the edge.

“Jesus Christ, I hate heights,” she murmurs, stepping away from the perimeter of the roof and shaking her head.

“I won’t let you fall,” I smile, pulling her towards me and wrapping protective arms around her.

She sends me a small smile, before stretching out in one of the recliners laid haphazardly on the roof. Trace and I really did used to have parties up here, until we realized letting drunken people cavort on the top of a twenty story apartment building probably wasn’t the best idea. So, we just converted it to a general lounging about area with a few chairs thrown in, and occasionally we’ll bring up a stereo or something. It’s sort of like having a backyard, only twenty floors up.

“So,” I begin, sitting myself down and immediately shuffling my recliner next to hers, “How you been lately, baby?”

She sends me a dubious look, doubting my sudden chirpiness. “I’m fine, thank you.”

“I’m sorry I’ve not been around much this week,” I murmur distractedly, leaning back into my seat casually, trying my hardest to project an offhand manner.

“That’s okay,” she replies, scratching at the abrasive surface of her chair. “I’ve been a little preoccupied too.”

“With what?” I ask quickly, my head snapping around to face her.

She raises her eyebrow at the sudden transformation from laidback cool dude to obsessive interrogator. “Nothing you’d be interested in.”

That means it must be something girly, right? What do women always worry about… “Your weight?” I suggest.

She slowly turns to look at me, and I don’t doubt that, behind those dark shades, is a very unimpressed look. “No, not my weight.”

I thought it was a fair guess. “So what is it? You’ve been a little…weird all week.”

She sighs deeply and extends her arms, stretching her muscles. “Don’t worry about it.”

“But I’m your boyfriend, it’s my job to worry,” I reply, sliding a hand onto her lap and resisting the urge to tug up her skirt cheekily. I’m guessing she’s not in the mood to be flirtatious at the moment.

“The only person who you should have to worry about is yourself, and the same goes for me,” she says clearly, reaching down to pat my hand, before gently putting it back on my own territory.

A somewhat awkward silence settles between us as I try to mask my hurt. “Why won’t you talk to me?” I ask quietly, feeling a sting at her refusing my touch.

She remains mute, slowly pulling off her shades and carefully folding them in her lap. “I…I can’t run to you every time I have a problem, Justin.”

“Why not?” I ask stubbornly; I know Cat’s big on all that feminist stuff, but it’s not as though I don’t go to her if there’s something wrong with me. When I thought I saw Trace smoking again, who did I go to for advice? Cat, who consequently told me to slap any cigarette out of his mouth. Who did I go to when I thought one of my songs sounded like a captivated werewolf? Cat, who reassured me it was a great song, I should just stop wailing in the background. It’s just how we work; we help each other.

No, it’s how humans work. We’re not supposed to be able to get through life entirely by ourselves; why would we have friends, family, loved ones, if we couldn’t count on them for support?

“Because I have to learn how to do things on my own.”

“Learn to do what on your own?”

She shrugs. “Support myself. Be alone. Not having to worry about two sets of feelings; yours and my own.”

“I didn’t realize I was a burden,” I huff.

“I didn’t mean it like that,” she sighs tiredly, rubbing her eyes and throwing her sunglasses down into her lap; it suddenly strikes me how exhausted she looks, the dark bags etched underneath her bloodshot eyes and her somewhat diminished appearance are clear as day in the bright sunshine.

“Have you been eating right?” I interrupt, before she can continue. Her usually ever so cutely chubby face looks slightly gaunt and pale; it’s the slightly unhealthy, worn out look I get when I’ve been under a lot of stress and ignore the essentials, like food and sleep. It’s not the normal Cat, with rosy cheeks and bright eyes. It even looks as though she’s lost a little weight.

She pauses and frowns. “Well, I suppose I haven’t been all that hungry these last few days, but I’ve been okay…”

“Have you got an eating disorder?” I whisper in a shocked tone.

She lets out a short burst of laughter. “I wish.” She chuckles darkly too herself as she looks down at the ruffles in her gypsy skirt. “No, I’m fine.”

“Will you just stop bullshitting me? I know something’s wrong, and I’ve gone long enough pretending to ignore it. It’s not fair to keep me in the dark like this, Cat. Whatever this is, it’s causing a separation between us, and I deserve to know what it--”

In a split second, before I can even finish my aggravated speech, Cat quickly jumps from her seat and swings a leg on either side of me, straddling my lap. Her mouth hungrily seeks out mine, greedily biting at my lips as she kisses me heatedly. Before I can budge her off my crotch, the male inside of me places hands on her hips to steady her, and begins to kiss her back.

Somewhere in my mind, my brain was slapping me and calling me a weak man who fell too easily a victim to female touch; however the other, stronger side, was saying, ‘hell yeah, we haven’t seen anything like this in a while!’. In fact, we’ve never seen anything like this from Cat ever; she’s no dominatrix in the bedroom, so her sudden feistiness is a like an alluring poison. I know I shouldn’t be doing it, but it’s just too damn tempting to dismiss.

Her long hair tickles my shoulders as she swishes it to one side, still eagerly kissing me with a ferocity I didn’t know she possessed. It’s not even a ferocity that screams ‘I want you’, it’s more the feeling of…she’s angry, and it’s coming through in her so called ‘affection’. When Cat wants to take charge, she’ll do so, but there’s always something gentle in her touch; always something that maintains that this is no hot one night stand, but rather two lovers needing each other…and okay, a little bit of nastiness thrown in.

But this…this is rough, and demanding, and so un-Cat. “Sweetie,” I muffle, trying to pry her away from me. “Cat!” I say strongly, wrapping my fingers around her arms and roughly jerking her away from me. “What’s gotten into you?”

“What?” she says innocently, her lips red from our violent kiss.

“Why are you acting like this?”

“Like what?”

“Like kissing me is just going to make me forget that you’re keeping something from me.”

She sighs and slumps in my lap, bowing her head. She shakes her head, as though telling herself off, and rubs her forehead. “I’m sorry.”

“I won’t deny that I haven’t noticed you won’t let me touch you lately, but getting some isn’t always my number one concern.”

She smiles slightly. “It usually works.”

I laugh. “I’m just waiting for you to talk to me, and then don’t worry, I’ll be taking full advantage of that.”

She giggles and wraps her arms around my neck, kissing the top of my forehead as I envelop her waist. “I’ve missed you,” she admits quietly.

“What do you mean?” I chuckle, pulling back slightly. “I’ve been here all along.”

She shrugs. “I know; I mean, I’ve just been so bogged down, it’s as though I can’t remember what being with you is like.”

“Never realized how essential sex with me is, huh?” I grin, winking at her.

She taps the side of my head lightly, trying to appear disapproving. “Shut up.”

“So come on, what’s been wrong?” I ask gently, squeezing her waist reassuringly. With the sudden injection of fun into the atmosphere, it suddenly doesn’t seem like such a pressing issue anymore; Cat’s acting as she usually does, nothing really serious could be wrong.

Her smile falters. “I…um…” She groans and looks off to her right, snatching her eyes contact away from me. After a break, she starts slowly, “Justin, things are…they’re complicated.”

“Okay.”

“The problem is…fuck, it’s hot out here,” she moans, pressing a hand to her forehead and letting out a breath of annoyed air.

“Take off your top,” I propose carelessly, more fixated with what she’s trying to tell me than the weather as I throw a fleeting glance at her shirt.

“But I’ve not got anything on underneath it,” she says, her expression suggesting my idea is too preposterous to make sense.

“And?” I shrug casually.

“What…you mean to-topless?”

I roll my eyes. “I think I’ve seen your breasts before, Cat. Why are you wearing such a thick top anyway?” I ask, plucking at the dark shirt religiously covering too much skin.

“What do you mean?” she snaps, pulling away from me and pulling her shirt closer to her body defensively. “I can wear what I want.”

“I know,” I reply, surprised at the sudden self-protective walls she put up. “I’m just saying, why don’t you throw on a cami or something? Something a little cooler.”

“Because I don’t want to, okay?” she retorts viciously, staring angrily at me, as though I had just cruelly insulted her. “And I am not going topless!”

“Okay, it was just a suggestion!” I say defensively, putting my hands up in apology. “Calm down.”

“Don’t tell me to calm down!” she shouts, clambering off my lap and standing on the hot surface of the roof, her eyes little slits as she stares at me angrily.

“Cat, what the hell?” I chuckle slightly, her sudden fury seeming momentarily amusing. “Are you joking with me?”

“No, I’m not fucking joking with you!” she barks, wiping the smile off of my face pretty sharpish. “Jesus Justin, you’re so fucking insensitive!”

“What? Insensitive how?! I just said you could take off your top!”

She shakes her head at me, glaring at me disapprovingly. “And you have the audacity to ask me why I don’t talk to you.”

“Back the fuck off Cat, this isn’t fair!” I shout, feeling the resentment boil up inside of me as I get off the lounger so that I can argue my case in a less vulnerable position. “You just freak out on me for no fucking reason! It’s like your crazy or something!”

“I’m not crazy,” she responds tartly. “You’re being an asshole!”

“And how the hell is that?!” I ask, stepping closer and casting a shadow over her.

“Oh, so you’re trying to intimidate me now?” she scoffs as my tall frame towers over her short one threateningly. “You know what, Justin? This is just pointless.”

She begins to walk away, a slight wind picking at her brown hair and sending it fluttering; it makes her look beautiful. “No,” I refuse, grabbing her arm and spinning her around to face me again. “You’re not walking away from this!”

“You’re hurting me!” she says, trying to pull her arm from my stern grip.

I sigh and let her go, trying to calm my flaring emotions. “I’m sorry, but all this hot and cold you’re blowing all over me is just making me…a little angry,” I reply in a level voice, breathing deeply.

“Hot and cold?”

“Yeah, hot and fucking cold,” I bite. “You don’t talk to me all week, you don’t let me touch you all week, and you shut off any form of communication all fucking week,” I count off spitefully on my fingers, before throwing my hands back in surrender. “So fine, I give you your space and don’t force you to tell me whatever the hell it is that is bothering you, but after a while, you’re all over me!” I sigh heatedly at her, coming down off the high of my argument. “So…decide whether you’re pissed off or not, Cat.”

She shakes her head at me, her gaze full of hatred. “Fine, Justin. I’m very, very pissed off.”

And with that, she spins on her heel and walks as quickly as she can without falling to the steps of the fire escape, before rushing down them. A second later, the bang of the window being shut echoes in my ears, and I stare blankly at the spot where she had just stood.

What on earth just happened? In the blink of an eye, we had gone from awkward, to sexy, to funny, to furious. Wasn’t she supposed to be telling me what was upsetting her? I must’ve said something…but what did I say? Tracing back our conversation, I can’t think of one offensive thing that would have detracted her telling me. And why in hell did I give her that stupid ultimatum of being pissed off or not? It’s Cat, of course she’s going to be pissed.

This could be a bigger problem than I originally suspected.

-----------------------------------------

“Fuckin’ hate him, such a bastard…” I mutter to myself as I storm through the apartment, almost falling down the stairs in my rush to get to the bottom of them. “Inconsiderate species men, all of them.”

On my way to the kitchen to retrieve a soothing glass of water, the front door opens to reveal a struggling Trace, carrying too many bags for his poor little hands. I unenthusiastically help him carry the brown paper bags to the kitchen, before unceremoniously dumping them on the island and turning to leave.

“Thanks Cat,” he breathes heavily as I pause in the doorway, “I had to climb all the stairs because there’s something wrong with the elevator, and it’s just got me puffed.”

“No problem,” I murmur in response, preparing to stomp upstairs.

“Hey,” he continues, breathlessly, steadying himself with one hand on the island and one on his hips. “What’s up?”

“Nothing; I’m fine,” I reply, lowering my gaze to the floor.

He frowns. “You sure? You look a little pissed.” His face suddenly falls. “Oh no…Justin didn’t accuse you of sleeping with the doorman, did he?” He shakes his head. “I told him that was a stupid idea!”

A smile creeps onto my face. “No, but we did have an argument.”

“Oh?” he says, straightening and beginning to unload the groceries from the bags. “About what?”

“Um…” I trail off, almost unsure. “Well, we went onto the roof to talk because…well…I don’t know whether you’ve noticed, but things have been pretty strained between us lately.”

“I’d noticed,” he smirks, putting a jar of mayonnaise into the refrigerator.

I blush, but continue. “Well, anyway, things were going pretty well.”

“Had you told him why you had suddenly slipped into depression yet? Or did that come after?” he asks from the depths of the refrigerator.

“Excuse me?”

He sighs, leaning on the refrigerator door and looking at me sympathetically. “I’m sorry, but it’s true. You’ve been acting so weird these past few days…it’s as though you’re a different person. We’ve been kinda worried about you.”

“You never said anything,” I shrug.

“That’s because we’re giving you space, but honestly Cutie, what’s going on?”

“Trace, nothing is going wrong,” I insist, biting my conscience, which almost let me down earlier on with Justin. “Everyone’s just been busy this week; we haven’t had the time to see each other, that’s all.”

He rolls his eyes and slams the refrigerator door shut. “Look, even I know something’s going on, and you know I’m not one to dramatize a situation.” He shakes his head and scrunches up one of the bags. “You’ve been walking around like you watched someone brutally rip up your favorite childhood toy and then feed its remains to a bloodhound.”

I laugh to myself but surprisingly, the second the laughter rises in my throat, the sobs follow suit. It’s odd how laughter and tears can be such opposite emotions, and yet I seem to be doing both at the same time. Trace’s joke is the first thing that has made me laugh all week, and just by him telling it I can see he has no idea what a crisis I’m in. If he did, I’m sure jokes would be the last thing on his mind.

“Cat, what’s wrong?” he asks with a note of surprise in his voice, as he drops the crackers he was holding and rushes to my side to wrap an arm around my shoulders.

“Justin must be so angry with me right now,” I mumble, burying my head into the crevice of my hands.

“Don’t worry about him. You guys will be fine, it was just an argument, everyone has them…”

“Oh God Trace, I’m so scared,” I whisper, my voice shaking slightly.

“Of what? What happened between you and Justin?"

“No, not that,” I shake my head, as though I’m shaking my negative answer to the suggestion of another thing to worry about. For the first time, me and Justin’s relationship comes second place; my health has to come first.

“Has this got something to do with what’s been bothering you all week?”

I nod and sniff, wiping my eyes. “Yes.”

“Have you spoken to Justin about it?”

“No. I just…I just don’t want to see how he’s going to react.”

“Do you want to talk to me about it?” he asks gently, and even though he sounds like he’s speaking to a five year old, it somehow comforts me.

“Trace, I think I have breast cancer,” I say as quickly as I can, as though the words are too venomous to keep in my mouth.

He gasps and stands back from me in disbelief, frowning at me, waiting for me to take back my words. “What?”

“I found a lump at the club a little over a week ago,” I say helplessly, feeling another tear stain my cheek. “I’ve been to the doctor, but I have to wait for another appointment with this…specialist guy, and I don’t know when it’s going to happen. I could have to wait another month until I get one,” I continue quickly, each bit of information I kept so firmly locked up tumbling out of my mouth in one continuous stream of worries. “There’s nothing I can do until then but wait.”

Trace stares at me blankly as I clamp a hand over my mouth. I didn’t mean to tell him any of that; that was strictly classified information that I was supposed to keep to myself. But it just felt like the second I opened my mouth, every poisonous little secret I’ve been keeping just fell from my mouth before I could stop it.

“Please don’t tell Justin,” I beg, gazing at him with pleading eyes.

“You haven’t told him?” he gasps in a cracked voice. “You could fucking die, and you don’t think this is something he needs to know?!”

“Trace!” I stand back in shock, tears stabbing my eyes. “Please don’t say that.”

He runs a hand through his hair and looks around him confusedly. “I’m sorry Cat, I just…I just don’t know how to take this.”

“I might not,” I offer weakly. “I mean, it’s unlikely for someone my age and all.”

“I know, I know,” he replies, leaning heavily on the island for support. “Shit, I’m sorry Cat. I--I was just expecting something less…heavy. I thought you were pissed about finding a job, or at worst you were pregnant.”

I let out a bitter laugh. “That would be kids’ stuff compared to this.” I shrug. “I didn’t want to get you and Justin involved, that’s why I didn’t tell you guys.”

“And why you’ve not been talking to us all week,” he completes quietly.

“Yeah,” I whisper, tugging at my shirt.

“But,” he frowns, “what did you and Justin argue about if you didn’t tell him?”

I cock my head in thought. “He said something about breasts and it just made me angry. I can’t even remember what it was,” I chuckle. “I just felt as though he was somehow trying to make me feel guilty, and that he was being inconsiderate.”

“How could he do that if he doesn’t even know?”

I bend my head and shrug. “I don’t know.” I hate it when you realize you’ve done something completely wrong.

He rubs his temple with the palms of his hands. “I don’t understand why you’re not telling him. He has a right to know.”

“I can do this on my own,” I snap.

“But why should you do it on your own when Justin would be more than happy to help you through this? Accepting support doesn’t make you any less of a person, Cat.”

“But he’s got a lot on his plate at the moment anyway, with his album and whatnot.”

He rolls his eyes. “Don’t bullshit. You know that stuff doesn’t mean shit compared to you.”

“I don’t want him fussing over me, okay? This isn’t about him; it’s about me.”

“Of course it is, but he’s your boyfriend. Keeping him in the dark like this is just gonna blow up in your face in a big way, Cat, and you know it.”

“Look Trace, I’m not telling him, and neither are you,” I say sternly, wiping any remnants of tears from my face. “This is my secret to tell, not yours.”

He shakes his head in surrender. “Fine Cat, I’m not going to tell him; but I hope you realize the magnitude of what your asking me. Justin’s my best friend, and I have to keep this colossal, gigantic thing from him, which he really ought to know. How to you think that’s going to make me feel?”

“Well sorry for being so selfish,” I retort with a bite. “It’s not as though I relish in keeping things from someone I love.”

“Then why are you?!” he says exasperatedly.

“Because it’s too hard, okay?” I shout suddenly, my voice strained. “It’s too hard to admit that there might be something wrong with me. It’s too hard to accept I might die and never live the fantastic life I’ve dreamt up. It’s too hard to think about giving up things like marriage and kids with someone who actually loves me, because I’m too sick to deal with them. It’s just too fucking hard, okay?”

The room falls into silence. Trace stares at me, his emotion hidden from me as I try to hide my rapidly falling tears. There’s certainly no mistaking how I feel as I melt into the clutches of sobbing, trying desperately to stifle my cries as Trace remains stationary. Slowly, he walks over to me and wraps me in a hug, letting me sob into his shoulder and leave watery tear marks over his baggy basketball shirt.

“I’m sorry,” he says, comfortingly rubbing my back. “I wasn’t thinking.”

He sighs and holds me tighter as we hear the footsteps of Justin above us, angrily stomping around and heading into the shower. He’s probably furious with me, wondering why on earth he picked the girl with the most psychotic tendencies. I sympathize with him in a way.

“You’re gonna be okay, Cat. I’m sure. You’re gonna go for this appointment, get whatever tests you need done, and then we’ll just wait for the results, okay?”

“And what if they’re positive? What if I die, Trace?” I cry, muffling my words into his neck.

“Then we’ll do whatever we can to fight it, and you’ll beat it.” He rubs my back a few times, before pushing me out to face him. “But let’s not worry about that unless we have to, okay?”

“Okay,” I nod miserably.

“You just keep your head tall, okay Cat? And you tell Justin when you’re ready.”

“Are you going to say anything to him?”

He shrugs. “I might suggest he should back off and that you’re going through some women’s problems. That should get him off your case for a while.”

I laugh and wipe underneath my eyes. “Thanks Trace. I really need someone on my side at the moment.”

“Just remember you can make it two people on your side anytime you want.”

I roll my eyes. “If he doesn’t dump me for not sleeping, touching or talking to him.”

“What?”

I shrug. “I just can’t bear him touching me; it’s as though I’m afraid he’ll find out.”

“You do realize this is probably making him more suspicious, yes?”

I bow my head. “I know.”

Trace sighs, rubbing my back reassuringly. “You’ll be okay Cat, I promise.”

I don’t reply, instead forcing my sunglasses over my eyes and heading towards the door. “I’m going to go for a walk; just to clear my head, you know.”

“Sure,” he nods. “I’ll tell Justin where you went.”

“I’ll be back in an hour or so,” I say to him, opening the door. “Try and cheer Justin up for me, would you? He doesn’t deserve to feel like crap just because his girlfriend is crazy.”

“You’re not crazy, you’re just under a lot of stress.”

As I’m heading out of the door, I pause in the doorframe and look back to him. “Trace…if I did tell Justin, how do you think he would react?”

Trace shrugs, exhaling loudly. “He’d probably march you over to the most prestigious, expensive clinic there is and demand that they make you all better.” He laughs. “You know Justin; he’d stomp his foot until he got his way.”

I roll my eyes affectionately and nod. “Well, let’s hope it doesn’t have to come to that.”

Trace looks at my sympathetically. “Yeah, let’s hope so.”

--------------------------------------------

I can see her, even if she can’t see me.

She tosses her house keys onto the table in the hall and pulls off her sunglasses, running a hand through her wavy hair. She stands still for a moment, with her head bent into her hands, and takes a few steady breaths, as though she’s preparing herself for something. Giving herself a shake, she lifts her head up and starts to walk towards the kitchen, her gaze fixed to the floor. Unbeknownst to her, I sit quite comfortably on the island, swinging my legs leisurely.

“You’re back,” I say simply, causing her to jump and look up.

She holds a hand to her chest in surprise. “Justin! I didn’t know you were in here.”

“You didn’t look.”

Her eyes nervously flit around guiltily. “Um…yeah.”

“So,” I begin, hopping off the wooden counter. “How was your walk?”

“Fine,” she mumbles, her fingers interlocking as she anxiously twiddles her thumbs. “I just needed to clear my head.”

“Where did you go?”

She looks at me warily, as though she’s searching for some kind of trap in my words. “Just around, you know…went to Central Park, had a coffee; stuff like that.”

“You were out kind of late,” I reply, lifting a toned arm to check my watch. “It’s seven already.”

“Is it?” she asks, raising her eyebrows in surprise. “Didn’t Trace tell you where I went?”

“Yeah, he did.”

She nods slowly. “Well…there’s no problem then, is there?”

When my mouth stays in a firm line and I deny her of a response, she timidly starts to ravel her hair around her index finger and suddenly finds her shoes fascinating.

“I’m--”

“Sorry about earlier?” I finish for her, with an element of impatience.

She glances up at me, eyeing me cautiously. “Uh…yeah.”

“I thought you would be.”

The chunky brown belt she hung over her hips suddenly finds itself being toyed with. “Well, I am. I think it was the heat, you know…just made me a little crazy.”

“A little?”

She bites her lip. “A lot.”

“You’re right,” I reply firmly, crossing my arms. “I wasn’t doing anything wrong, and you completely lashed out for absolutely no reason.”

“I know, I know…and you have every right to be mad.”

“I know I do, that’s why I am,” I reply in a no nonsense tone.

She slowly shuffles her feet and places her hands behind her back, like a schoolchild being told off for not doing their homework. “I am sorry, I think--”

“What, Cat? You think you’ve almost run out of bullshit excuses for me? Yeah, I couldn’t agree more.”

She looks up at me, her eyes hurt. “I’ve not been bullshitting you,” she says timidly.

“Oh?” I respond disbelievingly. “So why haven’t you been talking to me all week? Why have you suddenly become frigid? Why do you fly off the handle at me at the smallest, most insignificant thing?”

Once again, her top row of teeth attack her pink bottom lip. “It’s…it’s nothing, really…”

“Bullshit!” I shout, cutting her off. “There is something going on, and I don’t know why you suddenly want secrets between us!”

“I don’t want secrets,” she replies weakly.

“Neither do I.”

She twists the cloth of her shirt around her middle finger and looks out of the corner of her eyes at the row of cabinets, avoiding eye contact. “Stop fidgetting!” I demand, clasping a hand over hers. “Just talk to me.”

She shrugs. “I have nothing to say.”

“Yes you do; don’t lie to me.”

“Justin, I don’t know what I can say that will--”

“Baby, all I want is the truth,” I interrupt softly, approaching her cautiously. “You know I’ll be able to help you with whatever this is.”

“Nothing’s wrong…”

“Jesus Christ Cat!” I shout suddenly, slamming my hand on the polished wood of the counter. “Do I look stupid?”

She jumps back at the sudden show of aggressiveness. “Don’t be angry,” she says quietly, twisting her hands again.

I lean against the island, breathing heavily. “I’m not angry, I’m just…upset.”

“Justin…” A hand smoothes over my back gently, rubbing me in between my shoulder blades. “We’re fighting about nothing. I swear, I’m fine. I don’t know why I’ve been so temperamental these past few days.”

At my snort of disbelief, she hurriedly continues. “I think…maybe it’s because I’ve just been feeling so useless lately.”

“What?” I frown, turning to her slowly.

“Well, I don’t have a job, and up until now I’ve always had something to worry about, be it my dad or you and Trace, or whatever…” she takes a deep breath. “With nothing to do, I just feel…like a big waste of space.”

“How can you feel like a waste of space?” I ask gently, nudging towards her slightly. “You know me and Trace depend on you far more than we should.”

She laughs slightly. “I guess just seeing you recording and seeing Trace on the phone to all these magazine guys and stuff…it just makes me realize that I’m not doing anything with myself.”

“Cat, you do lots of stuff. You talk to me and Trace, calming us down when we’re crazy; you religiously check back with your family to make sure that things are okay over there; you keep the house in good shape…and I know cleaning isn’t your priority and you’re not a housewife, so I appreciate it,” I finish, after glimpsing an appalled feminist expression. “You’re taking a break Cat, because you deserve one. You said yourself you’ve been working every weekend since you were nineteen; you need to just slouch around, doing nothing.”

She shrugs noncommittally, not looking me in the eye.

“Is that it? Is that why you’ve been acting like this all week?” It makes perfect sense; I know how frustrating it is watching someone carry on with their life smoothly when yours has reached a crashing standstill. Did Cat think it was easy watching her spin out article after article as I made bread houses with my toast?

She nods quickly; a little too quickly. “Yeah…yeah, that’s it.”

I frown slightly, part of my not believing her. “Because you know if it was anything else, you can always come to me…”

“Yup, I know,” she replies firmly, raveling a strand of hair around her finger.

I gently unlatch it, smiling at her. “You could have just told me.”

“I know, but I just…” she looks up, her eyes crashing on mine. “Sometimes I feel like all I am is a worry to you.”

“I’ve told you before,” I smirk, cupping her face with my hands. “I like worrying about you. You’re like my very own little doll that I get to take care of.”

She giggles, timidly wrapping her arms around my waist. “I thought you were the bitch in this relationship?”

“Nah, I just let you believe that. Really, I wear the pants here.” I gently kiss the tip of her nose and smile at her, as she rests her head on my shoulder. “You seem really tired,” I murmur, stroking her back.

“I am,” she replies softly.

“Do you want to go upstairs?” I ask gently, not masking the suggestiveness in my voice.

She pulls back, her face faltering nervously. “Um…what?”

“You know,” I smile, interlocking our fingers and rubbing my nose against hers, “upstairs. To the bed we share, to do the nasty things we ought to.”

She lets out a hesitant smile. “Well, I don’t know about that…”

“Oh come on, baby,” I whine, dropping my hands to her hips and skimming my fingers just underneath her shirt. “I want you nooow.”

She pulls back slightly, her gaze shifting nervously. “It’s far too early to go to bed.”

I groan and step away from her, hearing Trace’s footsteps pound the stairs as he runs down them. “Okay, but tonight; you owe me,” I grin cheekily, stealing a quick kiss.

“Sure,” she replies weakly.

“Hey, you okay?” I ask, wrapping my long fingers around her delicate wrist before she can run away. “You don’t seem to like the idea as much as I do,” I laugh.

She quickly stands on her tiptoes to kiss me on the cheek and gives me a reassuring smile. “Of course I am. I was just, um, you know…trying to be a tease.”

“Oh,” I laugh, releasing her wrist and placing a kiss on the top of her hand. “Nice try honey, but you know you can never resist me for too long.”

She rolls her eyes and slips her hand away from mine, mumbling something about a shower, before rushing upstairs hastily. Raising an eyebrow at her schizophrenic nature, I shrug and start picking at grapes as Trace enters the kitchen, asking whether me and Cat have made up.

I’m so glad Cat decided to tell me the truth; not that it was that big of a deal anyway. I was stupid not to have realized it before. Cat’s too independent to be sitting at the side all the time, of course it was going to bother her. I’ll just have to get her mind fixed on a project or something, because honestly, I don’t think she should go back to work for a while. She needs a break.

Her behavior is still a little off, especially with how she reacted when I started suggesting we go upstairs. But I suppose I’m just forgetting that she’s a little shy and timid like that; she can’t seriously not want to sleep with me. I mean come on, I’ve been working out tons lately, I look great.

Who wants to bet God will smite me for being such a smartass by turning Cat into a lesbian?

Nevertheless, I’m so happy me and Cat are back on track. All it took was a little communication, and perhaps a little persuading tonight, and we’ll be on fire. We love each other and, better yet, we’re honest with each other. All of her secrets are mine, and all mine hers. No matter what, we can come to each other with whatever is wrong, and we’ll help each other through it; I love that about us.

Honestly, what was I worrying myself about?
Chapter 21 by Teeny
Deprivation of something perhaps not utterly crucial, but pretty important nonetheless, can cause a person to crave that thing with a somewhat sick passion. Take dieting for example; personally, I don’t see what the big hoo ha about chocolate is, but for some women it’s the most important thing in the world. When they try to wean themselves off of it to shed a few pounds, the second you wave the tiniest cube of the stuff in front of them they respond like a pack of ravenous wolves seeking out their unfortunate prey. It’s as though something is psychologically telling them they must have it. And for goodness sake, it’s not that amazing.

So perhaps sex is my chocolate. It’s not that I’m a compulsive neurotic who has to be having sex day and night, but if it there to be had and I’m not grasping the opportunity with both hands, then that bothers me. Why? I have no clue. Maybe I’ve associated sex with how successful my relationship is; if there’s suddenly a drought in that aspect, I think something is horrifically wrong. Not that I think that sex is the magical solution to every problem, but…well…it is.

Trying my hardest to be as gentle as possible, I inch my hand along Cat’s waist as she lays in bed beside me, shuffling every now and then to get comfortable. My fingers skim slowly over her skin, just barely touching her, and it’s only when she gasps as they reach the top of her panties that I know she can feel them.

“Justin…” she starts in a cautious tone, placing her hand on top of mine to stop it continuing its pioneering trek underneath her babydoll.

“What?” I whisper into her ear as I press my torso against her back, ready to start an assault of kisses on her neck. Look, I’m a guy, okay? It’s in my genes to be sex crazed.

She shivers slightly, and the hand restraining mine softens slightly. “You’re very eager,” she says weakly, and I smirk.

“What can I say? I’m a sexually frustrated twenty four year old male.”

She scoffs and turns on her side to face me, subtly removing my hand from her hips. “Your age and gender do little to mask the fact you’re clearly an addict.”

“A week is a long time.”

“No it’s not.”

I pause and bite my lip in concentration, before replying triumphantly, “One hundred and forty four hours of solitude is a long time, babes.”

She smirks and slides out of the bed, picking up the black satin robe hanging on the back of the vanity table chair and slipping it on. “A hundred and sixty eight hours, actually.”

“Shut up, nerd,” I roll my eyes, sitting up in the mass of blankets and pillows that embrace my bed. “And where are you going?”

“Just the bathroom,” she says over her shoulder. “Why don’t you sit here and, I don’t know…”

“Think sexy thoughts?”

She closes her eyes in annoyance for a moment, before looking at me with amused condescension. “Sure, why not.” I grin at her and watch the white bathroom door click shut gently, shielding her from my view.

Thank the Lord above some of that icy exterior coating her from me this past week is gradually being melted away, leaving kind, cuddly Cat in its wake. She’s sort of like a hot drink when you’ve spent the whole day in subzero temperatures; she’s warm, soft, and, if wants to, spreads comfort from your head down to your toes. But when she’s in a bad mood, the nice hot chocolate side of her turns to ice cold bitter coffee, and all I do is wait for her to go lukewarm again. If that makes any sense at all.

I’m sure tonight is all we need to make things better.

--------------------------------------------

I’m sure tonight is the final straw in the journey of my psyche from relatively sane to utterly mad.

What the hell am I going to do? There’s no possible way to deal with this without it resulting in Justin thinking I’m an insanely emotional woman who spontaneously triggered a touching phobia within herself. Or, in other words, a psycho.

It’s not that I necessarily don’t want to have sex; in fact, it could alleviate some of the worries that have been weighing on my mind lately. But that’s cheap, and severely undermines the importance of our relationship. Having sex to momentarily escape the real world is surely the intention of a one night stand, or that whole ‘friends with benefits’ concept that Trace calls “a great idea”.

Casual sex is meaningless and fun, and a pleasant vacation from the real world. It’s not as though you can talk to a one night stand about what’s been bothering you, because chances are they’ll take a run for the hills wondering why they managed to pick up the only unstable, depressive person at the bar. There are no feelings towards you brief companion ; you might not even know them, so there’s no reason to feel guilty if you’re just using them for a bit of pleasure. But there’s no way you can treat someone you love like that, otherwise who’s to say you love them at all?

Oh, but you can lie to them and mislead them into thinking everything’s peachy keen when it’s really on the brink of disaster? Nice morals Cat; now I have hypocritical to add to my ever growing list of flaws.

I wish I could just speak to him. Sit him down, tell him gently that I’m gradually driving myself insane with worry, and see what his response is. Or, better yet, I wish I wasn’t in this situation at all. I wish it was two weeks ago, when my main concern was ensuring Trace never beat me at Scrabble again and idly pondering whether I should go to the gym. It seems years ago that my days were so carefree, but in reality time has just been moving very slowly for me.

A cough from the other side of the door breaks my train of thought, and I sit down on the edge of the toilet seat, anxiously biting my lip. Justin’s no idiot, and the longer I put this off, the worse it will be. Why don’t I just go in there, force my mind to temporarily detach from the functions of my body, and get it over with? That might be faintly plausible, if I weren’t so terrified he’ll pause in his many ministrations and say, “Baby, what’s that?”. I just need to keep his hands away from my breasts. But what explanation can be behind that?

“Unfortunately, because of hormonal reasons Justin, my breasts are a no-go zone tonight. Is that cool? Great. I’m so glad we’re on the same page.”

Somehow, I don’t think that particularly ingenious excuse is quite going to cut it.

“Hey, let’s have sex without you touching me. What’s that you say? That’s like trying to run when you have no legs? Yeah, I can sort of see your point there.”

Hmm…I don’t think that one’s all too good either.

“Is everything okay in there?” a voice calls from the other side of the bathroom door, followed by the shuffling noises on the bed. He’s getting restless.

“Just a second!” I reply, my eyes quickly darting around, expecting to see the answers to all my problems lying before me. Well really, what advice can I extract from a tube of toothpaste?

I stand up and begin to twist the silky material of the bow on my robe around my finger, racking my brains for some sort of conclusion to my jumpy thoughts. Sex would be the simple solution…if I inflicted a no touching rule. No sex would not only piss Justin off, but heighten his already aroused suspicion. This leaves me up that familiar creek without that darn paddle yet again.

Suddenly, my finger stops in its pointless actions and slowly disentangles itself from the knotted bunch of satin it had created. Untying my robe, I pull the long belt from around my waist and stare at it thoughtfully as it lays flaccid in my hands. Is this a potential “eureka” moment? Or am I just about to make a complete idiot of myself?

There’s only one way to find out.

----------------------------------------------------

What is she doing? Powdering her nose at eleven thirty at night? I saw her brush her teeth, so I know it’s not that…

“Hey,” comes a quiet voice from the doorway of the bathroom. Her figure obstructs the beam of light, causing a curvaceous shadow to fall over the bed. The shadow allows the robe to slip from its shoulders and fall to the floor in a nice little pile of silk.

“Hi,” I say cheerfully, watching as she hangs the black robe on the hook at the back of the door. “I thought you’d fallen in.”

She smiles weakly, approaching the bed slowly as one hand tucks hair behind her ear and the other plays with what looks like about a yard’s length of black material. “I was…brushing my teeth.”

No she wasn’t.

“Anyway,” she carries on, her eyes shifting to her fidgety hands. “I have an idea.”

I raise an eyebrow and sit up in the bed, my bare back against the headboard. “An idea?”

“Yeah, like…like a game,” she says quickly, her eyes flying up to mine briefly to gauge my reaction before returning to the floor.

Confusion strikes me momentarily before a slow, cocky smirk creeps onto my face. “A game?” I repeat huskily, my eyes traveling down her body on their own accord. “You mean…a sexual game?”

She hesitantly nods. “Um yeah, yeah you could say that.”

“Well come on, lemme hear it,” I reply eagerly, a broad grin etched across my excited features. It’s certainly not every day Cat Saunders willingly suggests having a little nastiness thrown in between the sheets.

“You can’t laugh,” she warns, looking at me fearfully.

“Of course not.”

“Wait, I have to check we still have them,” she suddenly mutters, frowning in concentration as she heads to the a drawer and starts sifting through its contents. Whatever it is, she doesn’t want people to see it, as it lives in what I like to call the “Goody Drawer”. The Goody Drawer, so called after the special snack drawer my mom had when I was younger that was always full of candy and chocolate, contains any kind of potentially erotic thing she owns. If I buy her a sexy set of underwear or Trace gets her something overtly naughty to embarrass her, she puts it in that drawer to hide from public view and only brings something out if she’s particularly happy with me or perhaps drunk and in the mood to have some fun; these occasions are rare to say the least, but joyous nevertheless. See why I call it the Goody Drawer?

I crane my neck, trying to get a peak over her shoulder to see what she’s pulling out. That pearl thong I bought her which she didn’t stop blushing over for three days? The whip that Cat found and innocently asked whether it had anything to do with horse riding? It’s those edible panties I insisted on buying when we were shopping for that bachelor party, isn’t it?

“Here we go,” she says, pulling something that looks oddly fluffy from the drawer and turning her back on me to fiddle with it.

“What is it?” I ask excitedly, crawling over the bed and kneeling at the edge impatiently, like some little boy on Christmas Day hoping to see the limited edition Power Ranger figurine. Well, that’s what I wanted for Christmas anyway.

She spins around abruptly, her hair flicking her face as she keeps her hands behind her back. “Sit down,” she nods towards the bed, telling me to restrain my enthusiastic position.

I obediently slump back into the pillows, steadying myself against the headboard again and waiting patiently.

“And close your eyes.”

Biting my lip to prevent the telling grin exposing my rows of white teeth, I close my eyes, my last view being Cat standing at the edge of the bed in her little black slip, watching me. Immediately, all my other senses substitute for the lack of sight, and the light crunching of the sheets as Cat climbs onto the bed and slowly crawls towards me seems deafening. After what feels like an age, the comforter covering my legs is pulled back slightly, and the texture of skin against skin jolts my system as she nestles on my lap. Before I can reach out to rip off the stupid babydoll that forms a silky partition between my body and, the thing I want most, her body, her fingers wrap around my wrists.

“No moving,” she orders, letting go of my wrists after a moment and letting them fall to the side. “And no touching me.”

“What?” I protest, my eyes snapping open. “That’s not fair. Where’s the fun in it if I don’t get to touch you?”

She raises an eyebrow mysteriously, her blue eyes holding a spicily tempting mixture of cute playfulness with captivating allure . “You’ll see,” she replies quietly, her voice no more than a soft whisper.

The ready objections waiting on my tongue suddenly fizzle out uselessly as she stares at me intently, a piece of brown hair cast over her face. She looks so…sexy. Her hair is tousled, her eyes are bright, her body is covered in a film of black silk, her tongue keeps on running over her bottom lip, in anticipation or just because she feels like it I don’t know. The air around her seems different; more mature and adult, like an experienced temptress that could handle anything you threw at her, because she’s already done it before. Suddenly, those nice little black creations that she and millions of other women wear to bed every night don’t seem so standard and of the norm, but rather contribute to an overall portrayal of sexy confidence.

Like I said, tonight is going to be…awesome.

She reaches behind her and picks up the black material I saw her toying with early, and runs it through her fingers. “This is to ensure no cheating,” she smiles, bending forward to tie the sash, which I recognize as the belt to her robe, around my eyes. The light fails to put up a fight against the dark material as my vision is shrouded by the belt. Or perhaps I should call it a blindfold.

“As I was saying, the rules are; no looking,” she gently runs a hand over my blindfolded eyes, “And no touching.”
Just as I was about to question how she was going to do that, her fingers close around my wrists gently, as though she’s frightened she’ll snap them if she presses too hard. A moment later, something else closes around my wrists, and it takes a moment for my skin to recognize the ticklish texture as a fluffy, fur-like material.

“Baby, have you…handcuffed me?” a confused but nonetheless delighted question escapes my lips.

Her lips softly meet mine. “Can’t have you cheating now, can we?”

“But what are you going to do?” I ask, fighting the urge to punch my fist in the air and scream, ‘Now this is what I’m talkin’ about!’. This is obscenely out of character for Cat…but who am I to argue?

A throaty chuckle meets my ears and a fingernail grazes over my chest, before dragging itself down my torso, resting at the band of my boxers. “Whatever I want.”

I try to separate my wrists, only to find them tightly bound and constricted. “Cat, what has gotten into you?” I say in delight, my grin stretching across my face unashamedly.

“You don’t want to know.”

And before I can argue, hot breath followed by kisses trailing down my chest forces me to shut my mouth completely, only opening to gasp as Cat’s lips start doing things I can’t remember her being so good at.

I may not know where this is coming from, but I sure hope it stays.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sex is an emotional thing. Of course it is; it’s possible the closest act (both physically and psychologically) one can share with another person. Whether it’s your husband of five years or a cute guy you picked up at a bar, there’s always a churning feeling in your stomach afterwards that dictates your feelings on the situation. Sentiments range from guilty to happiness to sadness to regret to just about anything.

But oddly enough, I’ve never felt like a whore before.

Justin may as well have gone to some seedy brothel and picked up the first cheap girl he laid his eye on; whatever they did together would hold as much meaning as what happened last night. We were like two drunk Spring Break-ers thrown together for one crazy night of wild sex, not a couple that have been dating for near on ten months. There was no difference between us and a prostitute acting out her client’s wildest fantasies for a few dollars.

Of course, Justin thought it was great. Well he would; his typically prudish girlfriend suddenly offers some light bondage and generosity on a platter? Who would refuse? By the time he had actually removed the handcuffs and torn off the makeshift blindfold, he was too feverish to seal the deal with his night of fun to pay much attention to any other part of my body except the part that, he thought, would bring us both pleasure.

It was horrible, just horrible. Not that he was doing anything wrong; he’s Justin Timberlake, wrong isn’t in his vocabulary, but for me it was like a constant reminder of what a horrible person I am. Have I really gone to such great lengths to keep my secret from Justin and keep his suspicions to a minimum that I’m really willing to degrade myself and my principles? Every thrust, every kiss, every touch…it was as though they were all weighing down on my body, suffocating me until I couldn’t breathe. I almost screamed for him to get off of me I just couldn’t bear it so much.

But I can’t tell him now. He’d just ask why I hadn’t told him sooner, and why I had lied to him for so long. It’s as though every word out of my mouth digs a little deeper into the grave of trouble I seem to have placed myself in. I’m almost afraid to immerse myself in idle chitchat with him. What makes it even worse is that he’s utterly oblivious to any of the trouble going on around him, and thinks last night was a fun but beautiful blessing, when it was really me flogging myself to stop him asking questions. God, I can’t even look in the mirror without hating the deceitful, lying, shameful reflection.

Flicking the brush stick over my cheeks in a desperate attempt to inject some color into my pale, drawn face, I try not to look up as the bathroom door opens to reveal a semi clad Justin, fresh from his shower. Before I can dart for the door and run downstairs under the pretense of a sudden craving of toast, wet arms wrap around my torso and a nice big kiss is planted on my cheek.

“There’s my sexy girl,” Justin whispers in my ear, resting his head on my shoulder and catching my eye in the reflection of the mirror as I sit at the vanity table. “How are we this morning?”

I smile weakly. “I’m okay. You?”

“I…am…fan…tastic,” he replies, punctuating each word to a kiss at any available spot on my neck and shoulders. “You wanna know why?”

“Let me guess; they’re doing reruns of Sesame Street on the Disney Channel.”

“No,” he smirks, bringing his kisses up to my chin. “Because I have the best, most sexiest girlfriend in the entire world!”

“Actually, it’s grammatically incorrect to say most sexiest,” I reply automatically, setting the brush back on the table. “It’s either most sexy or sexiest; not both.”

“Cat,” he rolls his eyes dramatically, reaching down to hold up the deliciously small towel from falling from his hips. “You are such a nerd.”

“So you said last night,” I smile, picking up some more foundation and dabbing at it, knowing I’m running the terrible risk of looking extremely Oompa Loompa-esque if I apply more color to my face.

“I don’t think I said much at all last night,” he grins, once again looking at me in the mirror. “Apart from screaming your name and a few profanities.”

A deep blush, deeper than the Mac tint I had just added to my cheeks, leaves my face looking as rosy as Santa’s as I look down coyly. “Well, you know…”

He rests his elbow on the table, looking at me in admiration. “Seriously baby, last night was like having a little piece of heaven right here on earth, wasn’t it?”

I force a smile; I ought to win an Oscar for all these fucking happy emotions I’ve been pouring out lately. “Ye-yeah.”

“And you know what’s even better?”

“What?”

“Tonight, I get to do the same for you!” he proclaims cheerfully, placing one final kiss on my cheek before happily dancing towards the bathroom to shave, singing an animated version of I’m So Excited.

Resisting the urge to throw my head in my hands and liquefy into a pool of tears, I confidently stand up and trudge down the stairs, trying to concentrate on what I could have for breakfast. As my bare feet hit the bottom stair and are imprisoned by the soft carpet, a firm grip tightens around my elbow.

“Where’s Justin?” asks Trace urgently, his eyes widened as though he was an escaped mental patient.

“Upstairs shaving,” I reply, frowning as I shake my arm of his grasp. “Why?”

“Because this came for you today,” he brandishes an envelope in front of me, “and he can’t see it.”

“What is it? Your monthly subscription of Playboy?” I mutter dryly, following him into the living room and rubbing the red mark on my arm.

“It’s from St. Vincent’s Comprehensive Cancer Center.”

The bitchy words still waiting to pelt themselves at Trace dry on my lips immediately. His facial expression is one of sympathy as he hands me the long manila envelope and pats my arm reassuringly, as though he’s ashamed he has to be the one giving me the letter. As if in a daze, my eyes slowly drift down to the oblong paper in my hands, staring at the small stamp of St. Vincent’s, along with my name and address printed on it. Slowly, my fingers creep under the seal and gently pull it open, my heart pounding erratically in my chest.

My eyes scan the page, ignoring the obligatory “Ms C Saunders” and trying to find a date and time for my appointment. “But that’s today!” I cry, my heart flipping vivaciously in my chest.

“I know,” Trace says softly. “It probably came a few days ago; you know none of us every check the mail box.”

“Justin could have found this!” I exclaim, holding the envelope in my clenched fist and shaking it aggressively at Trace, as though it was his fault.

“I know,” he says defensively, his eyes holding an element of alarm at my reaction. “But would that really have been a bad thing?”

I groan softly, lowering the paper. “Not now, Trace.”

“When is it?” he asks, his eyes looking to the somewhat crumpled sheet in my hands.

“In about three and a half hours,” I mutter.

“Do you want me to come with you?”

“No. You stay here and keep Justin busy.”

He looks hesitant. “Are you sure you don’t want me to come? It might make it easier if--”

“I don’t need your help,” I snap, immediately regretting the harshness of my words as Trace’s chocolate brown eyes fail to hide his hurt.

“Well, if you’re sure…”

“I need to figure out where the hell this place is,” I proceed quickly, trying to ignore the guilt settling in the pit of my stomach as I peer at the address. “Do you know where this is?”

“Not a clue. You should ask Justin; he knows New York a lot better than I do.”

His not so innocent suggestion echoes in my ears as my insides churn painfully, trying to ignore the prickly feeling in my eyes. “Don’t try to be fucking smart with me, Trace,” I say sharply, giving him a piercing glare.

“I’m not being fucking smart, Cat. I’m just telling you what the right thing to do is, because you clearly don’t have a clue.”

“I’m sorry, is this your problem or mine?” I retort sarcastically.

“If you’re sick, then it’s everyone’s problem!”

“Ugh,” I groan, shaking my head in despair and turning away from him to fold the letter and replace it in the envelope. “You know what? I don’t know why I even told you.”

“You told me because you knew you had to tell someone,” he responds, clutching my arm to turn me back around. “It was an act of desperation because you, whether you care to admit it or not, are in a bad place right now.”

“As if I didn’t remember,” I reply, rolling my eyes condescendingly. “You’re supposed to be sympathizing with me Trace, not reminding me of my current state of poor health.”

“I think what you’re doing is wrong!”

“And I think you should drop the holier than thou bullshit!”

“Guys, what the hell is going on in here?”

Our heads spin around abruptly to see a confused Justin in the doorway, frowning at us as our increasingly loud shouts linger in the air uncomfortably.

“Why were you two shouting?” he asks naively, his eyes dancing between my body and Trace’s. “I could hear you all the way upstairs.”

“Sorry,” I mumble, stuffing the letter away hastily.

Trace doesn’t respond, instead fixing his eyes in a hard glare towards me and crossing his tattooed arms across his chest.

“So?” pushes Justin in the silence. “What happened? What’s that?” He nods towards the white envelope in my hand as I quickly turn it over to hide the stamp of St Vincent’s.

Another awkward lull makes itself known as Trace stares at me pointedly, making it abundantly clear he has no wish to help me out in this situation.

“I…well, the thing is…” I flounder helplessly, any excuses fleeing my mind instantly.

“Yes?” Justin urges impatiently.

“Trace read my mail.”

Justin’s face falls into a puzzled frown as he looks at us obliviously. “Oh,” he says, clearly failing to see the relevance and offence in this, as there is none to see. “Um…why?”

“I don’t know,” I reply stupidly. “He just did.”

Justin nods slowly, doing little to hide the fact he doesn’t quite know how to respond in these circumstances. “Did you?”

I bow my head ashamedly, but nothing can throw off the feeling of Trace’s disappointed brown eyes on me, boring through my skin. Asking someone to lie to their best friend of their whole life is one of the cruelest things a person could do, and here I am doing it.

“Yeah, yeah I did,” he mutters, his voice almost regretful as he answers.

“Trace, Cat’s mail is her personal property. You have no right to go snooping through it,” he says maturely, sounding like a teacher calming two squabbling five year olds. “What’s so special about it anyway?”

“It’s…it’s a letter from my sister,” I answer feebly, unable to shake off Trace’s hardening glare.

“Dude,” Justin says in disbelief. “I can’t believe you’d act like that. Grow up a little, man.”

I bite my lip as guilt tides over me, each wave stronger than the last. A hurt looks flashes over Trace’s face at Justin taking my side over his, and I half expect him to tell Justin his girlfriend is a heartless liar, as perhaps, he should.

But he doesn’t. Instead, he casts me one last pitiful stare, before shaking his head. “This is fucking bullshit.”

With that, he roughly pushes past me and Justin, only pausing to pick up his blue leather jacket before storming out of the front door, letting it slam behind him.

“What on earth is wrong with him?” Justin laughs slightly, staring at the shut front door. “I mean, why would he want to read that letter in the first place?”

“I don’t know,” I murmur weakly, unfiltered shame streaming through my body.

“So, what do you want for breakfast? I got Chad and Pharrell at one, but until them, I’m all yours, baby!”

“I’m not very hungry.”

My dark voice slices straight through his happy mood. “Oh…well, okay.”

“I think I’m going to go after Trace,” I say suddenly, gripping the envelope tighter and shoving it in my pocket. It’s scary how quickly the lies can roll off my tongue nowadays; of course I’m not going to go look for Trace. This is New York City, where the hell would I start?

Twenty five to one. That’s the time printed onto the paper, coldly informing me when my presence is expected at the clinic. Part of me doesn’t want to go; perhaps I’m secretly wishing that if I ignore the appointment, it’s a way of ignoring my whole predicament. I don’t want to hear what they have to say to me, be it good or bad. I just want to crawl into a corner and curl up into a ball, paying no heed to the forever spinning world in which I live.

But then I get angry at myself. Hundreds of thousands of people deal with cancer every day; they don’t get the chance to overlook it, so why should I? What makes me so special? I’m almost envious of their bravery; I wish I could have their strength, instead of just buckling in the face of something wrong like I always do. For all I know, I might not have cancer at all, and all this lying and worrying and stress has just been for nothing. Either way, I’ve managed to screw things up royally; I’ve lied to Justin, made him think things are even better than usual when really they’re falling apart, put a rift between him and Trace…what else could I do to make things worse?

Forcing myself to stop my tumbling thoughts before I burst into tears, I mentally shake myself. Deal with things one at a time; go to the clinic, see how things are on that front, and then resolve the intricate web of problems I seem to have built in my home life. But how did I do that? Why am I hurting everyone, when really, I was just trying to make things easier for them?

“Why? Trace’s just being moody; ignore him.”

But that’s just it. He’s done nothing wrong, and yet he’s bearing the brunt of my many mistakes. “No, I’m going to go look for him. I won’t be back for hours; you should just go to the studio.”

“I suppose,” he says slowly, slightly stung by my cold, offhand manner.

“Don’t worry about me; I’m just concerned Trace is out there angry and will go and do something stupid, like get crazy drunk in the middle of the day,” I say, rolling my eyes convincingly.

“Well…”

“Have a good day, okay?” I quickly carry on, trying my hardest to keep my face a blank canvas, hiding any of the simmering emotions inside of me.

“Okay, bye baby,” he moves forward to kiss my briefly, and I pull away before it can become anything more than a quick peck.

“Bye.”

Shoving my hand in the pocket of my jeans to feel the texture of the envelope cramped in it, my stomach knots itself up as I hurriedly leave the apartment, no doubt leaving a very confused Justin in my wake. If something is wrong, how am I going to explain it to him? Or would that be yet another impossible secret I would try to keep?

Maybe I should have just told him. At least it would be one less worry off of my mind. In fact, I can barely remember my reasoning behind not telling him…God, what have I done? Should I turn back now, run up the stairs and just let every secret I’ve held for these past few weeks just pour from my mouth? Should I let Justin hold me as I cry into his shoulder, releasing my fears and anxiety in my tears as he rubs my back and says everything’s going to be okay?

Or should I keep on walking with my head down and my eyes fixed to the sidewalk, emotionally cut off and barren, like everyone else in this city? Should I just tell myself to pull it together and stop acting like a whimpering mess? For goodness sake; here I am worrying about my boyfriend and my friend when my health is on the line here.

My feet pound the concrete relentlessly as I head in the direction of the subway, trying to figure out a route in my head. I hope whatever they do to me at the clinic won’t hurt; I’m pretty afraid of needles, and if I remember correctly I’m going to have a particularly big and lethal one stuck into my breast in a few hours.

I wish Justin would be there to hold my hand and tell me when to look away when they inserted the needle. I wish I could have his thumb rubbing in small circles over the back of my hand as we waited patiently for the doctor to tell us it was either a cyst or that he would have to do some analysis on it. I wish I could have him place a gentle kiss on my cheek and whisper reassuringly in my ear whenever he saw me getting scared.

But wishes simply don’t come true, and I kept on walking.
Chapter 22 by Teeny
Nobody talks in here. The deathly still is only broken by the noise of the receptionist drearily tapping in somebody’s information on the computer, or someone’s name occasionally being boomed over the announcer, followed by strict instructions to go to whichever doctor’s room. The clock’s monotonous ticking seems as loud as a pulsating dance beat in the middle of a crowded club, and every time someone coughs, everybody looks up in surprise to see who broke the hush.

Like most silences of this variety, it comes hand in hand with the pale, somber faces of those causing the quiet. If I wasn’t in such a state of depression myself, I would’ve leaped up and started dancing ridiculously just to put a smile on the drawn faces of my companions in the waiting room.

Realizing that this would really not help anyone, I reluctantly picked up the first newspaper within my reach to immerse my thoughts into some reading only to find, to my horror, that it was the National Enquirer. I was tempted to throw it back down in disgust after seeing the front page promising an intricate analysis of Jessica Simpson’s legs continued on page six, but as the only other available magazine choices were a gardening brochure and a tattered booklet on why not to commit suicide, I decided to stick with the Enquirer.

Just as my eyes were skimming an article about a new Harry Potter book coming out in a few months, a voice interrupted my thoughts.

“I don’t see why everybody be thinkin’ that book was the shit, man.”

I glance up to meet the brown eyes of the ghetto fab speaker sitting a few seats to the left of me. My head spins around me quickly, weighing up the chances he was talking to someone else; there’s nothing worse than happily replying to a friendly stranger that you think has kindly chosen you to indulge in conversation with only to find they were actually meaning the person behind you.

“Yeah, I’m talkin’ to you,” he laughs, shifting up one seat. “Harry Potter,” he points down to my newspaper in answer to my dumbfounded face. “Didn’t feel it, y’know?”

“Oh…neither did I. I always thought there was a lot of unspoken sexual tension between Harry and Snape.”

His booming laughter attracts the confused glares of the receptionist and a woman in the corner, who seems appalled someone could actually express any form of joy in a place like this.

“I’m Kyle,” he says, holding out his hand and still grinning, apparently impressed enough by my comment to give me his name.

Ignoring the old mantra of, ‘Don’t tell strangers your name’ because, to be quite frank, Kyle looks about as threatening as a plate of Jell-O, I reply, “Cat.” Instead of shaking my hand, he slaps it enthusiastically, in a way I often see rappers and the hip hop genre greet each other. And it hurts.

He moves up the remaining seats between us, closing the gap as I awkwardly put the newspaper down and rub my slapped hand. Glancing to the left as a red tinge enters my beaten palm, I take a closer look at him. He’s not ugly, but I don’t imagine women are particularly beating down his door either. Dark brown eyes, tinted skin that I would make a stab at is from some sort of Puerto Rican descent, and a slightly chubby physique covered in heavy Sean John hoodie make Kyle’s appearance as he smiles at me expectantly.

“Cat? Like a cat that goes meow?”

No, a cat that barks. “Yeah,” I force a chuckle to appease him, rather than spitting out a train of sarcastic comments.

“Nice to meet ya, Kitty Cat.”

Is this guy trying to kick me when I’m down? Here I am, sitting anxiously in the waiting room of a cancer clinic, and he’s coming up with “witty” nicknames that insult my Christian name? Perhaps I’ll call him Kylie as a subtle way of getting back at him.

He laughs. “I’m sorry; you must think I’m on crack or somethin’.” I don’t hasten to correct him. “Don’t worry, I’m clean. And I’m not hittin’ on you either.” Thank God. Who could be with a guy that never puts g’s on the end of words? “But it’s not often I find someone in the place actually willin’ to talk, y’know? I’m just a lil’ excited.”

I smile weakly. “I can imagine you might have a little trouble finding anyone in here willing to hold conversation.” I gesture around the dull room, my eyes grazing the lifeless color of the green chairs and the tightlipped woman in the corner. It hardly looks like a social landmine.

“You seemed like the only person who wasn’t gonna bust me in the ass for talkin’ to you.”

I try not to snort obnoxiously. “Do I?” I reply flatly.

“Well, you haven’t done it yet, have you?” he grins.

I smile and cross my legs anxiously, checking the clock.

“So, you waitin’ on someone?”

“I’m sorry?”

“Are you waitin’ on someone to get out? Your mom in for an appointment or somethin’?”

“Oh, no. I’m here for myself. My appointment is in a few minutes.”

He frowns at me. “Aren’t you a little young to be all up in this shit?”

I look down at my hands sadly. “I suppose I am.”

“I’m here for my sister,” he says darkly, casting the door that people who are called for their appointments exit.

“Has she got…um…”

“Yeah.”

A feeling of unease falls between us. “I’m sorry,” I reply awkwardly.

“Don’t be,” he waves his hand nonchalantly, but a glaze covers the chocolate of his eyes. “She’ll be okay. I know it.” His dark features morph into a resolute expression as he stares off into space determinedly; perhaps he thinks by saying it out loud it’ll come true.

I tear my eyes from his indomitable face and concentrate on the fashion that my skirt has folded in, clearing my throat uncomfortably as Kyle drops his head to discreetly rub at his eyes. “It’s good of you to support her,” I comment after a silence. “I’m sure she really appreciates it.”

“Why wouldn’t I?” he asks, glancing up at me. “She’s my sister; I’d do anythin’ for her, man.”

“Well, it must be very taxing for you to--”

“Not half as much as it must be for her,” he interrupts, casting another miserable look at the door. “Support is what she needs most at the moment, with all that shit she’s goin’ through.”

My cheeks burn in defiance. “I’m sure she would manage on her own.”

He shrugs halfheartedly, tilting his head back to me. “You here on your own, mami?”

Mami…mami…what does that mean again? Is that how they address strangers here in New York? “Yes, I am.”

“How come?”

It’s none of your business is what I should say, but the politer liar inside of me speaks before my instincts can. “My boyfriend is um….sort of working, you know.”

His raises an eyebrow. “He lets you do go through this on yo’ own?”

Of course he wouldn’t. “He’s very busy.”

Kyle makes an odd “humph” noise before focusing his gaze forward again, apparently losing interest in me.

Noting that I had a good fifteen minutes until the dreaded appointment, (a fact which I hastily pushed out of my mind) I ask in pure desperation, “So, where are you from?” Oh, good conversation starter Cat; almost as great as, “The weather’s been playing up a bit lately, hasn’t it?”

“Born and bred in Detroit, y’know? I’m just visitin’ for my sister.”

“Oh, that’s nice.”

“You ain’t from these parts, are ya?” he smiles, and I jolt at seeing the gleam of a gold tooth. How gangster is this guy? Or is it gangsta?

“Um, no; I just moved here a month or so ago actually.”

“You speak all proper and shit,” he laughs, draping both arms comfortably over the back of my chair and the one to his left.

If ‘proper and shit’ means I can talk without needing to supply the subtitles that would be really useful around Kyle, then alright. “Is that an insult?”

He laughs. “Nah, you cool. How you likin’ New York?”

“It’s wonderful; fast paced, but wonderful.”

“Do you live with your boyfriend?”

I smile instinctively. “Yeah.”

He nods. “That’s cool. How long you guys been seein’ each other?”

“It’s hard to tell, really. We were friends and roommates for so long, I can’t really draw a line where it turned to more. A little under a year, I think.”

“Well, I’m sure he would be here if he could,” he says comfortingly, dropping the street lingo momentarily and gazing at me sincerely.

My heart skips slightly in my chest. “Yes…yes, I’m sure he would be.”

“Where does he work?”

“He works at…at…” My eyes grope for a suggestion, finally landing on the magazine pile. “At a garden. As in, he’s a gardener,” I correct quickly. Oh, just brilliant.

Kyle does little to disguise his disturbed look that says, ‘he’s out pruning roses whilst you’re stuck in here?’. “Oh.”

“So what do you think about this magazine selection?” I continue quickly, gesturing towards the pathetic display of reading material in an attempt to save the dwindling conversation. “Worst range ever?”

He grins. “Definitely. I mean, it’s not like I was holdin’ out for porn, but something better than that gardenin’ shit.”

“Catherine Saunders to surgery two please.”

The smile on my face is wiped off as quickly as my head snaps up, and I tug back my sleeve to look at the hands on my wristwatch. Already? I thought I had been sitting in the waiting room for a little over ten minutes, when really forty five minutes has just flown by; why does time have that pesky habit of speeding on when all you want it to do is stand still? However unintentional it was, Kyle’s brief encounter almost made me forget what I was here for.

“That’s me,” I say, exhaling loudly as I stand up, trying to appear brave.

“Good luck, mami,” Kyle lightly pulls at my elbow, turning me to glance at him, and, for just a split second, I see Justin sitting beside me.

“Thank you. And…thanks. For taking my mind off things, I mean,” I grin sheepishly, feeling the pumping of my heart start to intensify at the prospect of what awaits me in the next few minutes. “I really needed someone to do that.”

“No worries; you just take care of yourself, aight?”

I smile sadly. Justin sometimes says aight, mainly when he’s talking to Pharrell or someone of equal street respect, and it always makes me laugh. I don’t even know why he bothers to dip into the colloquial language used by most rappers when he’s so obviously a white boy from Tennessee, but he tends to sprinkle words like “yo”, “aight” and “ill” into much of our everyday conversation; sometimes he means it seriously, but more often than not he’s just saying it to pull me from a bad mood.

I can’t even imagine the insanely stupid jokes he would be throwing at me to cheer me up if he were here. His endless supply of knock-knock jokes, or perhaps his many tour stories revolving around him, Trace, and a lot of alcohol would surely make regular appearances. Justin’s like that; he can entertain the stiffest crowd with his ridiculous stories. Making me smile in a waiting room of a clinic would be a dawdle for him.

Giving Kyle a wave, I drag myself towards the door, trying to obliterate all thoughts of running in the opposite direction. The sooner I get it over with, the better I suppose. After all, the next time I go through this door, I should know whether I have breast cancer or not. Don’t I sound casual? As though I’m pondering whether the supermarket will have any mayonnaise. By treating is as just another bump in the road, I suppose I’m subconsciously taking the sting out of it. Who wants to admit they’re faced with something possibly life threatening?

I feel as though I’m on trial for a murder I didn’t commit. The evidence is stacked up against me, but it should seem so painstakingly clear that I’m innocent. I just can’t comprehend why it’s me up here instead of someone else. I didn’t do anything wrong, did I? Why am I bearing the burden of somebody else’s mistakes?

As I leave the room, the hush descends again, stilted by the customary noises. The clock starts ticking, the receptionist starts tapping, and Kyle starts to cough. What feels like a monumental step towards a potentially life changing appointment for me is simply someone freeing up a seat in the waiting room.

-----------------------------

“Want to bet a thousand dollars I get this in one take?”

“It’s costin’ us that much to even be in this studio, so just shut up and play the guitar Timberlake,” Pharrell’s voice booms through the headphones.

I smirk and gently start to strum the guitar strings, occasionally looking up to glance at the music sheet. This is one of my favorite songs; it’s about Cat, of course, and is basically one of those simpering ballads about love and trust, how they overcome all obstacles. If Cat wasn’t so considerate about my feelings, she would have told me that it was the cheesiest, most overdone song she’d ever heard when I played it to her at home a few weeks ago. She didn’t, of course; she kissed me on the cheek and whispered very quietly that she loved me.

When my lithe fingers come to a stop a few minutes later, having performed nothing but sheer perfection I might add, I look up to check Pharrell’s expression with a sneer.

“You want me to do that again?” I ask cockily, knowing full well the expected response is ‘no’ due to my flawless playing.

Pharrell mirrors my smirk before slowly leaning forward into the microphone and pressing the talk button. “Er…yes.”

“Why?” I exclaim in outrage. “I was great.”

“I know. I’m just trying to piss you off actually.”

The opening of the door catches my eye before I can retort with a slicing insult and Chad comes in, carrying a few Chinese takeout bags. “Lunch, guys.”

Immediately dropping the earphones and setting the guitar against the wall, all self-righteous thoughts elapsed, I exit the recording booth and join Chad and Pharrell in the mixing room. After making a grab for the egg fried rice that I know Chad tries to steal every time we have Chinese and taking a beer, I make a spot for myself on the heavily cushioned sofa, ready to indulge in the mindless chatter that always exists between the three of us.

“I don’t know what that Sunflower bitch did to you Justin, but these songs are better than anything you’ve ever written,” comments Chad, cursing under his breath as he picked up a noodle he had dropped on his polo shirt with his chopsticks.

“Thanks buddy,” I reply, an arrogant but still appreciative smile spreading across my face. “I think I had a better muse this time too.”

“And there was me thinking after Britney you’d be screwed,” Pharrell remarks, handling his chopsticks with some difficulty. “What could possibly be more inspirational than a blonde gymnast who screwed your head over?”

I laugh, taking a swig of Coors Light (as though that’s going to compensate for having a calorie-filled Chinese). “I know. Remember how I thought I was never going get over her?”

“You were such a chick about it. ‘I cried myself to sleep’; Jesus, what was that all about?”

“Good press.”

“You used to have the most gorgeous rebound girls though,” Chad adds, pointing one of his chopsticks at me in admiration. “That dancer was so hot, dude. Jenna? Jemima? Never figured out why you broke up with her, actually.”

“Because she was trying to get pregnant so I would stay with her,” I kindly remind him, shuddering at the mere memory of what I thought was just a girl with fantastic lips who actually turned out to be a nutcase with a severe fixation with marriage before twenty five.

“Cat’s not pulled any crazy shit like that, has she?”

I smirk, my mind taking a very pleasurable walk down memory lane as I thought to the night before. Handcuffs and blindfolds could definitely be classified as crazy shit. “The only crazy shit Cat’s been pulling lately has been thoroughly enjoyable, actually.”

“What do you mean?”

I pause, staring into my box of rice and flicking a grain with my chopstick. Should I tell them about Cat’s little freaky outburst last night? I don’t usually talk about my sex life, except in those male grunts that all guys do, which only focuses on how dirty it was rather than the sentimental details. Cat will talk about her sex life with her closest friends (as I discovered the day after we first consummated our relationship and Diane wouldn’t stop winking at me) but, although she’s made a few bonds with some of the women living in the building, there’s no one she’s that close to. Except Trace and a few of my friends, but that would just be weird.
Knowing Cat, her face would probably erupt into flames if anyone knew about our little…thing last night. Even this morning she was a little off, but I know it’s just because she was trying to deal with the surprise she must have felt inside. When you do something so wild that it shocks even yourself, it’s weird to handle. Hell, I was surprised enough for the both of us. Cat using bondage in a humorless, genuinely dirty way? Impossible.

I begin slowly, picking my words carefully. “Have you ever like…dated a girl--”

“Amazingly enough, yeah,” Chad supplies with a snort.

“Shut up. Anyway, have you ever dated a girl who you thought would never do something, but then, out of the blue, she like…does?”

They stare at me blankly. “She killed someone?”

I give Chad a patronizing glare. “No. I mean something nice…something fun, just kinda sorta out of character.”

“Kinda sorta out of character?”

“Yeah. As in you would have never expected it from them.”

“What did she do?” asks Pharrell, proceeding to cram as much lemon chicken into his mouth as he could.

I pause and shift uncomfortably. “Um…I can’t really say. I don’t want to embarrass her.”

“Does it follow the theory the quiet ones are always wild in bed?”

I jolt, puzzled not only by Pharrell’s quick logic, but also what a suitable response would be. “Er…”

“So that’s a yes,” Chad grins, raising his beer bottle in a toast to me. “Well, props man; you got some quality ass!”

I snort and shake my head in amusement. “I did not get ass. I just…anyway, whatever, my point is: doesn’t that seem a little strange for Cat?”

Pharrell nods in agreement quickly as he stares into his Chinese box; I think Pharrell would say Cat was strange in any circumstance. They can sit alone in a room and find things to talk about, but their relationship is always a little strained. I guess Pharrell was a little stung the time Cat said Chad was better looking and, just to add insult to the injury, finished with an ‘obviously’.

“So?” Chad says, looking at me incredulously. “Don’t question it for God’s Sake. When we were kids did we ask whether Santa was real? No, we just kept our mouths shut and took the presents with a smile. C’mon dude, be grateful.”

“I guess,” I laugh, setting my food down and relaxing back into the couch. “I think it could be a turning point in our relationship actually.”

“Calm down, brotha,” Pharrell chuckles. “Just because she gave you a blow job or somethin’ don’t mean you gotta be all analytical and deep about it.”

“No, seriously,” I protest above Chad’s giggles. “I think it shows how much she trusts me.”

“And how’s that?”

“Well, I sincerely doubt she’s done that crap with anyone else,” and if she has, I’ll kill them, “so I think by doing…what we did, it illustrates how much she, you know, cares about me and has faith in our relationship.”

“I don’t get it.”

“See, she trusts me, doesn’t she? She’s willing to let down her barriers and try to experiment, do things she’s never done before.”

“You got all that from a blow job?”

“It was not a blow job!” I exclaim, fighting with the grin on my face as Pharrell ducks from the flying cushion I sent his way.

“Alright, alright, I’m sure you’re correct,” he smiles, sitting up properly again. “You guys tell each other everything, right?”

“Of course,” I answer immediately, mildly offended he would suggest otherwise. “We have one of those relationships with no secrets.”

“So where is she now?”

I shrug, twirling my bottle of beer around in my hands. “Well, that I’m not entirely sure about; I found her and Trace arguing this morning.”

“Her and Trace?” repeats Chad in surprise. “Those two never argue.”

“Exactly. And it was about some stupid shit like he read her mail or something, I don’t know…anyway, he stormed off and she went after him after telling me to just go to work. I mean, it’s half twelve now and I haven’t heard from her, so she must’ve found him.”

“But how will she know where to find him? I mean, he could be anywhere.”

I stop, the mouthful of beer from my recent swig fizzling in my mouth. That’s an awfully good point. “Well I suppose she just…knows.” Because if she isn’t with Trace, where else could she be?

“She’ll just find him on his cell, right?” Pharrell shrugs.

“Precisely,” I reply, feeling reassurance course through me. But she did seem pretty hesitant to spend time with me this morning…no, no, I’m just imagining things. She was just upset about Trace: I’m overanalyzing.

“So, how many songs you wantin’ on this album, J?”

I give myself a shake and turn to Pharrell, trying to get into a music mindset again. “Well, I’ve got three with Amber that will definitely be used, a few I’m not sure about, and you know the one we did on Friday? Well--”

The opening of the door and Trace’s shuffling as he fiddles with the zipper of his coat interrupt my sentence. “Hey guys,” he mumbles distractedly, harshly pulling at the fastener impatiently.

“Hey,” I say, frowning when Cat doesn’t come in behind him. “Um…where’s Cat?”

“How the hell should I know?” he snaps, shooting an irritated glance in my direction. “You lost her?”

“Well, yes…she said she was going after you after your argument,” I explain, anticipating a look of recognition to wash over Trace’s features. “She didn’t find you?”

Trace stops and stares at me, his eyes holding some sort of…sadness, sympathy, I can’t pin it down. He slowly removes his coat and hangs it over the back of a chair, before running his hands tiredly over his face. He seems so drained, so upset, so un-Trace. Trace is the one who is calm and rational as I freak out over anything and everything. What could possibly have made him like this?

He leans back against the mixing deck and brings his hands down from his face. “She’s done it again.”

“Done what?”

He doesn’t answer me, only pushes the sleeves of his gray track jacket up to his elbows and buries his head in his hands.

“Where did you go?” asks Chad, attracting Trace’s attention as he brings his head up and looks over at Chad.

“Nowhere, really,” he answers, picking up a stray box of food and poking around its contents. “I went to that little drug store just two blocks away and got some cigarettes, walked to--”

“What?! Cigarettes?” I cry out in surprise.

In the olden days, when Trace and I spent our time partying and drinking, he used to be well known for permanently having a cigarette (whether it contained tobacco or otherwise) hanging out of his mouth or resting between his fingers; in fact, you rarely saw him without one. But when the last serious girlfriend he had, and this was at least two years ago, warned him it was either cigarettes and no kissing or her and plenty of kissing, Trace kicked his habit with impressive speed. Even when they broke up, he grudgingly admitted that he smelled and looked a lot better without smoking so I presumed that he never planned to pick it up again. After all, why would he? No one benefited from it anyway.

“What the hell, dude?”

“Back off, Justin,” he orders, throwing the box of food back down, and suddenly the nauseating smell of smoke hits my nostrils. I can manage that smell in bars or clubs, but not coming straight off my best friend. “I’m a big boy, and I’ll smoke if I want.”

“But why have you started again? You did so well to stop.”

“Because I felt like it, okay?!” As if to prove a point, he pulls a crumpled pack of Marlboros out of the back pocket of his jeans and begins to toss it teasingly between his fingers, as though just daring me to push him to the edge and make him smoke one.

“So where’s Cat?” I ask suddenly, tearing my eyes from the packet of cigarettes and fixing them squarely on Trace.

He lets out a loud, aggravated groan and throws his head back in frustration. “I don’t fucking know!”

“Jesus dude, what is wrong with you?” I back down, trying to ignore the hurt settling in the pit of my stomach.

“Just ask your girlfriend,” he mutters under his breath as he pulls out a cigarette, attaching the long stick of death to his lips and fiddling with the lighter.

“What was that?”

He sighs roughly, whether at me or the broken lighter I don’t know, and starts to push the button on the lighter with more determination. “Nothing.”

“Trace, what did you say?” I ask, a frown slowly etching into my forehead as I rise from the couch.

He emits another angry exhale of air and snatches the unlit cigarette from his lips, looking at me with tired annoyance. “I said: nothing.”

“What is your problem?” I demand, pulling myself to my full height, easily towering over Trace’s short stature. “You’ve been getting at Cat all day; first this morning, now this. She hasn’t done anything wrong, so just leave her alone.”

“She hasn’t done anything wrong?” he snorts, raising his eyebrows at me and tossing his cigarette towards the trash can. “Let me tell you, Justin,” he pokes a finger angrily into my chest, pushing me back slightly, “Cat has done a lot wrong, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.”

I stare at him in disbelief. “What could Cat have possibly done that I wouldn’t know about?”

He lets out another irritating snort; every time he does that, I get the feeling there’s something going on that I don’t know about, and I don’t like that feeling. “Plenty.”

“Oh, good answer,” I retort sarcastically, rolling my eyes. “You haven’t got shit on her, so just admit it; you’re just being pissy, and she’s the closest person to lash out at.”

He shakes his head, incredulity on his face.

“It’s true; I mean, why pick on her? Why not me?”

“It’s because of her that we’re even having this argument!”

I scoff. “Don’t be ridiculous, not it’s no--”

“When will you see, Justin?!” he shouts, a voice so loud and desperate erupting from his body I have to step back in surprise. His eyes widen at me in desperation, as though he wants shake me until I understand. “Cat has been lying, and lying, and lying to you, because she’s too scared to tell you the truth!”

Trace’s words scratch themselves into my mind as the air thickens with tension. “W-what?” I stumble quietly, doubt seeping into my mind like water through a straw.

Trace steps back slightly, straightening from his hunched position and staring at me sadly, breathing deeply.. “Like I said man, you need to talk to her.”

“Tell me what’s wrong with her,” I insist suddenly, the shaky feeling of fear hitting me slowly. Trace wouldn’t be this dramatic over something trivial; whatever’s going on, it’s big. But what could be wrong with her? Is she sick? Has something bad happened to her? Why didn’t she come to me for help, or support, or for someone to talk to?

So many questions, and no answers.

He hitches, staring at me carefully. “I’m sorry J, I really can’t…”

My arms reach out on their own accord and grasp Trace’s shoulders tightly. “No, Trace, seriously. You have to tell me,” I chuckle nervously, “I mean…I’ll just drive myself insane with worry if you don’t.”

He shakes his head. “I can’t.”

“For fuck’s sake, Trace!” I shout, roughly pushing him away and starting to pace the room, much to the disturbance of a wide eyed Pharrell and Chad. “You can’t just casually tell me that something awful has happened to her and then expect me to brush it off!”

“It’s not my business to tell.”

“This is not fifth grade, Trace! We are not ten year olds running around with pigtails in our hair talking about secrets! This is serious.”

He lets out an exasperated breath. “Don’t I know it! I’ve been the one who’s had to balance sympathizing with her and making sure you don’t find out at the same time--”

“What? So Cat’s intentionally been keeping this from me? But…but why would she tell you and not me? I’m her boyfriend, for God’s Sake!”

“Well, I don’t know! Why are you asking me? I’ve just been dragged into this, whether I wanted to be or not a completely irrelevant issue!”

“Oh, Cat trusts you enough to tell you her darkest worries. How simply awful for you,” I snap sarcastically, anger starting to dance its evil way through my blood. Shit, here I was spouting such ridiculous tripe about how honest we were with each other, when really she’s been going behind my back telling everyone but me what’s been bothering her? That’s fucked up, so fucked up.

“Justin, don’t get angry with me,” Trace warns calmly, returning to his usual, non frazzled self. “Go home, cool off, and Cat should be back soon,” he says, glancing over my shoulder at the clock hanging on the wall. “You guys can talk about it alone; this has nothing to do with me.”

“Back from where?”

He looks up at me, his eyes pleading to tell me something but his mouth set in a firm line. “From finding out whether this was all worth the worry.”

--------------------------------------------------


“Do you understand the procedure, Ms Saunders?” enquires Dr Papierma…Paperymal…I don’t know how to pronounce his second name, all I know is that it sounds slightly like papier-mâché.

I blink slowly at him, guilty of every single word that just left his lips having flown straight over my head into oblivion. “Yes, of course,” I reply, nodding.

“If you’d like to just follow me, please,” he says, beckoning me with a tanned, aged hand.

If I’d like to? Of course I wouldn’t like to; I’d rather gnaw my way through the cement in these walls than follow you, but I don’t think that’s necessarily what he means.

Sitting myself on the cold leather of the seat he had motioned to, I anxiously tap my foot rhythmically on the floor, filling the room with the dull thud of my sole meeting the linoleum.

“This is the needle I will be using to perform the FNAC,” he says, glancing up at me when I stare at him blankly. “The fine need aspiration cytology. To drain the lump or extract a sample.”

My eyes dart down to his hands holding the long, thin stem of a needle, and immediately my palms start to moisten. Is this the part where I’m supposed to be brave? Pretend the sight of a fine pointed, razor sharp needle doesn’t scare me? Pretend I don’t realize the fate of my life rests in that stupid piece of medical equipment? Pretend that it won’t hurt?


I didn’t want to be brave. I wanted to curl up in a ball; shelter myself from the cruel, harsh blows that the world gave to me. I didn’t want him to come anywhere near me with that needle; I had been terrified of injections ever since I was seven and I had to get some random shot without the assistance of my loyal companion, Mr. Ears (a childhood toy in the shape of a bunny that my dog eventually devoured) so, when it hurt, I had nothing to hold onto. To this day I still get freaked out if a needle pricks me when I’m attempting to sew one of the many holes in Trace’s jeans.

To be courageous does not mean you aren’t allowed to be scared. It means you’re brave enough to overcome fears, but nowhere in the rule book does it say thou shalt not have a racing heart, sweaty palms and stuttering speech. But I didn’t even feel courageous; I just felt alone, scared, and oddly spaced out. As though I was watching the scene from a million miles away, when really I was right there in the room living it.

Is it childish to look away? Is it immature to not even be able to face my fear straight on? Should I be looking at the needle like a man? Or a woman, but the concept is the same. I remember when I was younger and going through a very strict, “I hate boys” phase, and my mom used to joke, “Are you a man, or a mouse?” and I would always shriek “mouse!” before subconsciously shuddering and saying “Boys equal cooties”.

It’s ridiculous how, even in situations like this, I still manage to think of funny anecdotes. It must be some sort of retaliation mechanism against fear; thinking I can scare it away with a few laughs. If I do have cancer, who will be laughing then? God? Laughing because he hit me when I thought everything was okay?

Lifting up my gown to let him see the lump, I quickly look off to the right, trying to avoid seeing the needle at all costs. I let out a low hiss as I feel a prick on my left side, try to reason with myself that the sooner it starts, the sooner it’s over, and blink my watering eyes. The doctor informed me that general anesthetic to numb any pain was “unnecessary”, so they wouldn’t be using it…I’m beginning question that theory. Do they like the fact that I’m in pain right now? Do they enjoy seeing me bite my lip to stop from crying out?

I wish Justin was here. I so, so wish he was.

“Almost done,” comes the gentle murmur of the doctor, and I nod quickly, closing my eyes as a few tears of pain sneak out and streak my cheek.

“Okay, finished,” he says gently, and a moment later I feel the cushiony texture of a cotton swab brushing against my skin, wiping away blood from the incision.


I hate those awkward moments where you’re just dying to ask something, but you feel it would be inappropriate to do so. At someone’s funeral, for example: for fear of sounding selfish, hundreds of other people stay quiet, keeping their curiosities about whether they were left something in the will to themselves, until someone finally breaks the silence by saying, “Um…let’s have a look at that will, shall we?”

But that’s exactly how I felt; I was literally bursting to pelt queries at the doctor as he disposed of the needle and began to scribble hastily on a piece of paper, but I didn’t want to irritate him by interrupting his work. I could feel the time slowly trickling by and had started to anxiously grind my teeth in anticipation as to what he was going to tell me; I was horrified when he looked up and raised an eyebrow in question to my scraping teeth, silently telling me to stop it. It was a few nanoseconds of silence that elapsed between us, but to my vexed mind it felt like a lifetime.

“Well Ms Saunders, as you can see, we were able to drain the lump.”

I slowly raise a hand and press it gently to the area I have been loyally avoiding for two weeks, as though it was going to burn me if I touched it. My brows furrow into a frown as my fingers trace smooth skin, not skirting over the small, peanut sized lump I had come to hate.

“It’s…it’s gone,” I mutter softly, clutching the side of the leather seat in front of the doctor’s desk to steady myself.

He nods, his gray streaked hair bobbing up and down and clasps his hands on top of his desk, like a business man preparing for negotiation. Sweat prickles at my forehead as my heart rate picks up, thumping noisily against my chest. It’s almost like…painful anticipation.

“Well, what do I have to do?” I ask eagerly, failing to disguise the despair in my voice. “Do you have to analyze the stuff you took out? How long will it take until the results get back to me? Can you possibly tell me now what my chances are?”

Dr…whatever his name is blinks at me slowly. “Ms Saunders, you do know what this means, don’t you?”

I hastily shut my eyes, willing the tears to stay at bay just a little longer. I can only assume that it means the worst, but how the hell am I supposed to know? Did I spend five years in fucking medical school? No, I did not…

My anger subsides almost as quickly as it rose, and I cover my face with my hands miserably. “No…no, I don’t.” The quick beating my heart had adopted suddenly quadruples, and I half expect it to leap right out of my chest as I wait in agonizing suspense for him to continue.

The doctor’s grave face suddenly breaks into a wide grin. “It means it was a cyst of course.”

My fingers slowly melt away from my face, unsheathing my terrified look to the doctor. “I’m…no, that can’t be…what?”

He chuckles slightly. “Well, the odds were always on your side. No history of breast cancer in your family, age obviously not being a factor…you weren’t worried, were you?”

Is that a joke? That’s a joke, isn’t it? Who wouldn’t be worried?

“So I…I don’t have cancer?”

He lets out a laugh and gives me a questioning look, as if to ask why one earth I could fret over something so blatantly obvious. I marvel at his laidback attitude as he swings back in his chair, putting his hands on the back of his head in the most relaxed fashion one can manage in a white lab coat.

“Of course not, Ms Saunders.”


Elation. Relief. Happiness. Release. Blissful euphoria. Liberation. Breaking free from the bonds of doubt. Emotions I couldn’t even describe gushed through my body all at once, so strong I felt as though I couldn’t breathe.

It was one of those moments. One of those, “Fuck you world, I outsmarted you” moments. The kind of moment where you feel as though you’ve suddenly rocketed up into the stars, leaving those who doubted you in a cloud of dust back down in earth.

It was more than a weight being lifted off my shoulders; it was like the burden of a thousand worries that had been resting heavily on my heart had suddenly crumbled as easily as a cookie in milk. I felt a rush of relief that seemed to wash through my body, cleansing me of the aching anxiety that my body and mind had had to support for too long.

I didn’t have cancer. I don’t have cancer. It feels as though someone as suddenly given me back my life again after cruelly snatching it away for a while and juggling my fate carelessly. The overwhelming sensation of helplessness against something that would cripple my body against my will was excruciating, but with a click of the fingers that feeling disappeared.

What am I supposed to do now? There’s no point in telling Justin now that I know I’m in the all clear; it would be senseless to worry him now that everything’s okay, and he would probably just get angry that I had been lying to him. Well, not so much lying as…hiding the truth. I think the best thing would be for me to forget all about this horribly dark stage of my life and take from it what I can: I have to start appreciating things that I previously took for granted. I have my health and I have love; what else could I possibly want?

Oh, but I’ll have to have a long talk with Trace. I only realized how selfish I was being when I saw his upset look this morning; it must be killing him to have to lie…or hide the truth, rather, to Justin. I hope he’s not too mad at me, I hate having arguments with people.

Nodding happily towards the doorman as I walk through the doors of our apartment, my steps seems so much lighter and easier now I don’t have that bogging down on my mind. I’ll just be so happy to put all of this behind me.

The moment I step off of the elevator and into our apartment however, I know something’s wrong. It’s impossible to pinpoint, but the air seems thick with unspoken tension, almost like the waiting room in the clinic. The apartment is void of noise; no Trace blabbering into his cell phone, no distant drone of the television playing a crappy Lifetime movie, no wailing of Justin singing an Al Green song…what could possibly be going on?

The next thing to strike me after the silence is the musty smell of smoke. And not the endearing kind you get off burnt toast, but the intoxicating, filthy smell of cigarettes that hangs around seedy bars and secluded areas of restaurants. Justin doesn’t smoke, I don’t smoke, and Trace doesn’t either. Well, he used to, but he said he would only resort back to it if he was “stressed to the point of suicide”, so that’s irrelevant. Maybe Justin had a friend round before he went to the studio and he let them light up in here; I’ll talk to him about it later.

Slowly slipping my coat off and craning my neck to see if anyone was in sight, I shrug and walk into the living room. Justin is probably still in the studio and Trace must be…oh God, I hope he’s not in some brothel at two in the afternoon, but you never know with Trace. It must be my imagination conjuring up the tension; there’s no one in here to be tense after all.

“Did you find him?”

I startle, jumping back and almost knocking over a vase standing on a small table by the television. Clasping a hand to my heart, I try to calm myself. “Justin, what are you doing here?”

Justin’s stiff frame sits rigidly on the couch, his eyes staring straight ahead of him blankly. If the atmosphere contained any hint of humor I would have made a joke about him resembling Frankenstein in a bad mood, but the taut face of Justin did little to encourage me to do so.

His head slowly turns to me, his penetrating, cold stare sending a shiver through my spine. “Did you find him?”

“Who?”

“Trace. That is, after all, who you were searching for this whole time, right?”

Recognition slowly dribbles into my brain. I told Justin I was out looking for Trace, didn’t I? God, I wish now that I hadn’t lied so much, or at the very least done it better. “Um…no.”

Justin continues to gaze at me, his eyes unfeeling and bland. “Well, of course you wouldn’t. Because he’s right here.”

He motions behind me and I glance over my shoulder, only to see Trace’s stocky figure lurking in the corner. My frown deepens as Trace refuses to meet my eye, only looking down to scuff his feet on the carpet.

“What’s going on?” I ask slowly, my eyes going back and forth between the emotionless Justin and the timid Trace. Jumpy fear starts to filter into my veins; you would only have to say “boo” and I would scream. A churning feeling in my stomach kindly reassures me that something has been said, something had been done, and that something concerns me.

He couldn’t possibly know, could he? Please God, don’t let him know. He’ll be so hurt…and angry, dear Lord very angry.

He takes a deep breath, pressing his knuckles into the couch to lever himself up. Slowly swaggering towards me, I see a tint of feeling enter his cool blue eyes as he walks toward me, my thumping heart audible in the silent room.

“I’m not going to force anything out of you, so I’ll ask this just once, Cat. Is there anything you have to tell me?”

Chapter 23 by Teeny

Britney told me she had cheated on me when we were having a stolen moment together backstage at one of her concerts. People were bustling around us; ushering us into a van to get away from the concert venue as fast as we could, hastily running around to detour smarter fans who knew where we were going, barking orders to each other at the top of their voices. Everywhere you looked there was the frantic pandemonium that always ensues after a concert. Hardly an ideal setting for receiving the biggest blow to your heart of your life.

There had been no build-up, no suspicion, no preparation for the crushing news that I was about to receive; just a, “Justin, I’m sorry, but I’ve made a mistake”, followed by a honest and God help me detailed description of what had happened between her and some smooth-talking asshole with moves as slick as baby oil. Normally, we would wait until we were back at the hotel or at least in the van speeding away before we attempted conversation (our voices were no match for the noisy commotion of people scrambling out of a packed stadium), but I still heard every word Britney said with perfect precision. It was as though the hubbub surrounding us had melted away into nothingness, and all I could hear was the overwhelming impact of her confession.

I think it was better that way. Obviously there is no ‘right’ approach to tell someone that you’ve cheated on them, but at least it was quick, clean and simple, rather than dragged out, messy and even more painful than it was already. I guess I should thank Britney for telling me, because honestly she could have kept that itchy wool pulled over my eyes for as long as she wanted; I would never have suspected a thing. But she had the guts to tell me what she had done and faced the consequences, no matter how hard and “Cry Me A River” they were.

Sometimes I wonder whether I would have believed it if anyone had tipped me off regarding her and that dickwad. Probably not; she was, after all, one of the biggest loves of my life. To me, and a lot of other people I’m sure, she was perfect, she made no mistakes. I couldn’t be apprehensive of someone whose actions had never been anything but pure of heart during all the years that I had known her. She didn’t hide anything from me and even if she tried, it failed miserably; she was the worst actress in the world. I could insert a cruel joke about Crossroads here, but I won’t.

Sometimes I think that I subconsciously chose a girl who was the complete opposite of Britney after everything that happened; the last thing I wanted was history repeating itself. Cat’s a brunette who’s never dared to dye her hair; Britney’s been tampering with colors since she was sixteen. I never really know what’s going through Cat’s mind; Britney was a pretty straightforward girl. Cat’s quite introverted and shy beneath her sarcastic façade; Britney was really a party girl underneath that ha, ‘virginal’ exterior. Cat thinks that today’s youth is corrupted by the revealing outfits displayed by female pop stars; Britney thought it was great when kids started to tie their shirts above their navel just as she had done.

So it only makes sense that their glaringly obvious differing attitudes to life should extend to how they make a confession.

Britney cut to the chase, leaving me no time to second guess what she might be telling me. But Cat? Cat’s approach is somewhat different. She spends at least three minutes looking at the ground, biting her lip, and twisting her hair around her finger, putting me through the torturous pain of wondering what could be on her mind as she fiddles nervously. She’s still doing it now; staring at her feet as though hypnotized by the black leather of her shoes.

Deciding to maintain my icy, aloof exterior rather than succumbing to my natural urges of wrapping her up in a hug, I cross my arms menacingly over my chest and try to exude a manner that disguises the thoughts tumbling through my head. Has she cheated on me? But with who? And when? How many times? Or perhaps she’s done something that she knows I’d disapprove of, like…well, I don’t know. There’s nothing she could do that I couldn’t forgive, so I don’t understand or appreciate this suspenseful wait for her to talk.

“Justin…”

Her apprehensive voice bounces off the towering walls of the living room, breaking the approximately one hundred and eighty eight second long silence.

“Justin,” she repeats more firmly after inhaling calmly. “I…I don’t really know where to start.”

“Start from the beginning,” I say simply, not stopping to soften my tone. Why should I? I may not yet have reasoning behind my anger with her, but the fact that she has been lying to me is motive enough.

She glances up at me, snatching a glimpse of eye contact before hastily reengaging her eyes with her shuffling shoes. “Well…alright then. I guess you could say--”

“I don’t want to guess,” I interrupt harshly, despite feeling an unsettling, rare sensation of guilt at speaking so maliciously to her. “I want to know; I want to know everything.”

She nods and coughs nervously, bringing her hands to her mouth. “Sit down,” she says after a silence, motioning towards the couch that I had angrily risen from a few moments earlier.

Grudgingly, I fall back ungracefully into the depths of the sofa as she delicately sits herself on the opposing arm chair, tucking her skirt under elegantly. Trace mumbles incoherently under his breath about leaving, but I am quick to halt him.

“No, I want you here.”

“This is, you know, between you guys and whatever…” he mumbles awkwardly, glancing between me and Cat.

“Sit down, Trace,” I order, sending him a pointed look that says, ‘I know you’re involved too, so don’t even think about it’.

He uneasily crosses the room and sits in the other armchair to my right, leaving him and Cat opposite each other, and me in the middle on the oblong couch. In our U shaped formation, Cat and Trace accusingly glance at each other as my head turns between the two, like I’m witnessing a fucking tennis match. She’s obviously not pleased he ratted her out.

“It all started at that club,” Cat begins, twisting her hands anxiously in her lap. “You know, the one that Ashton Kutcher invited us to?”

Whatever I was expecting, it wasn’t that. “Um…yeah,” I reply uncertainly, letting my assertive, cold demeanor falter slightly.

“Do you remember that night?” she asks, turning to me cautiously.

Sure I do; how often is it that Cat not only indulges in the “moronic” partying that all young adults do, but also invites me to openly make out with her on a dance floor just to make some girls jealous? To put it mildly: not very often.

“I certainly do.” Up to the point where I got involved in a shot contest with Trace and a few of the guys, that is; my memory was sufficiently wiped from the moment someone said “vodka”.

“Do you remember me coming up to you at the end of the night? I was a bit panicky?”

I look at her blankly, scrambling in the embers of my memory for some recollection of Cat approaching me in a shady manner. “No.”

She sighs, turning the ring adorning, funnily enough, the ring finger on her right hand. “Well, I tried to tell you then, I really did. But you were just too inebriated for words.”

Trust Cat to pull out intelligent words like that at a time like this. “Tell me what? I mean, you can give me as much background as you like, I still don’t know what you’re actually trying to tell me, Cat.”

“I know, you’re right…” she stumbles, meeting my eyes fleetingly before looking away. I’ve held unreciprocated eye contact for a good ten minutes now.

“So what is it?” I probe, propping my elbows on my knees and leaning forward.

Her breathing becomes slightly gasp-like, and to my disturbed surprise, she appears on the brink of crying. Staring at the carpet through watery eyes, her eyelashes flutter furiously, trying to stop the tears. “I--I found a…a lump.”

My mouth dries instantly, and I jump back, suddenly wishing I hadn’t pushed her for those horrible words. “What?”

“That night, at the club,” she explains quickly, finally bringing her eyes to mine. I almost wish she hadn’t; I can see every emotion crystallizing in the blue iris of her eyes, staring at me accusingly. “I was in the bathroom fixing myself up…you know, just redoing my make up and stuff…and when I adjusted my top…” she breaks off, suddenly bringing her hands to cup her face and stifle her cry. “I felt it.”

A gust of fear blows into me, hitting all of my sensitive nerves along the way. Cat? My Cat? No, no…lumps usually mean cancer, and Cat can’t have cancer. She’s young, she’s beautiful, she’s untouchable. These things happen to people who are older, who have lived their lives…

Not My Cat.

“Justin, calm down. I’ve not fin--”

“Cat, we’ve got to…we’ve got to get you to a hospital, they’ll know what to do there…it’s going to be okay…” I hurriedly ramble, my thoughts moving faster than my mouth can cope with. I start to rise from the couch, wondering where I left my coat and whether the traffic is too difficult to drive in, because people will be coming back from work…fuck it, I can walk. A thousand miles, wherever I have to go. God, this is all so overwhelming…

“Justin, sit down,” a slightly shaky, but nonetheless firm voice tells me as a tugging at my left wrist encourages me to sit down. “I’ve not finished.”

“What else is there to say? We’ll take you to the hospital, get that shit taken care of, and you’ll be fine, okay? You’re going to be fine.” Unable to gain control over my emotions, the unfamiliar prickly sensation of my own tears spike my eyes, and I ashamedly try to stop them. I’m a man for God’s sake, it’s my job to take care of Cat. Not break down like some fucking pussy. Why didn’t she tell me this before? Why has she had to worry about this all on her own for what…three weeks? Anyway, that’s irrelevant at the moment. I just have to get her to a hospital.

“Justin, I’ve already been.”

There’s a hospital just a few blocks from here, I’m sure, specializing in… “What?”

“I’ve been,” she explains, staring at me fearfully.

“Been where?”

“To the hospital.”

“What?” I repeat for what must be the fifth time in this conversation.

“Look, just sit down. I still have a lot more to tell you.” I stare at her emotionlessly. “Please?”

I sit back down with a thump, eyeing Cat cautiously, as though she’ll break under my gaze. I couldn’t bear it if anything was wrong with her, I really couldn’t. I’ll pay anything, I’ll do anything, she has to be okay.

“Justin,” she begins, reaching over to gently clasp my hands reassuringly. “I’m okay. The lump was benign.”

“Be-what?”

“Benign: non cancerous. I have nothing to worry about.”

Relief crashes over me, so strong and suddenly it almost makes the tears in my eyes fall down my cheeks.

The moment however, is tainted by confusion. “How do you know that?”

She breathes deeply, biting her lip briefly. “Justin, I’m sorry. I know I should have told you sooner but--”

“You’ve been to the doctor already? Without me?”

She glances regretfully at my nonplussed face, as though this was what she was scared I’d say. “As soon as I found the lump, I booked myself a doctor’s appointment. I had to get a referral to a specialist cancer clinic that could determine whether the lump was malignant or not.”

“You went to the doctor’s,” I echo slowly, my brow furrowing as her words wash meaninglessly over my head. “Without…me.”

She hesitates, seeing the cogs turn in my brain as realization slowly sets in. “Well, yeah…”

“Why? Why would you do that to yourself? Why wouldn’t you let me help you?!” I fire questions at her in panic, my voice rising with each word.

She ignores my questions, gripping my hands tighter as she continues with her story. “I got a doctor’s appointment fairly quickly, but the only thing the doctor could do to help me was give me a referral, and tell me to wait for the nearest appointment.” She takes a shaky breath. “And that was that; I had to wait.”

“But why didn’t you tell me?” I ask desperately. “I could have gotten you an appointment sooner, I could have helped you in some way…”

“Justin,” she says gently, running her thumb soothingly over the back of my hand, “there was nothing you could have done.”

“But…I don’t understand,” I stutter helplessly. “How long did you wait for?”

“About two weeks.” She shrugs. “That’s why I was acting so strangely; I was worried about my appointment.”

“But you said you were just feeling useless, that’s all that was wrong with you,” I remember, confusion setting in. “You told me just yesterday.”

“Well, I…I was…I mean, I had to…”

“Lying, you were lying,” I answer for her, slowly feeling the alarm leak from my body, only to be replaced by the rage that had been simmering ever since Cat entered the apartment.

It all makes sense. All the pieces fall into place. Why she was so distant, why she wasn’t interested in me at all… But why couldn’t she just tell me? I specifically confronted her about her behavior, and what did she say? Oh, I’ve just been feeling a little inadequate lately, blah, blah, but I’m fine. It was a blatant display of dishonesty, and I bought it because I’m just too fucking trusting; I must be crazy, thinking my girlfriend of eight fucking months would actually have the decency to be honest with me. How can I even believe anything that comes out of her mouth now?

“Justin, I was doing it for your own good.”

Ignoring her words, I snatch my hands away from hers forcefully. “I told you, I told you to stop lying to me, so you saw fit to lie a little more? I asked you to tell me point blank what had been wrong with you, and you just spun out some bullshit, making me feel sorry for you! How long have you been dragging me along, Cat?”

“Don’t get angry, you have to understand--”

“So where were you today?” I interrupt harshly, not caring about the hurt look flashing over her face. “God forbid you told me the truth and were genuinely looking for Trace.”

“I was at the clinic,” she replies weakly, diminishing under my glare. “Look, everything’s alright, so why can’t we just forget about it?”

I snort mockingly at her. “Why can’t we forget about it? Because, Cat, you have lied to me about something that could have affected us all!”

“I wasn’t lying!” she defends distraughtly, and it surprises me that the tears still threatening to spill down her face don’t sway me at all. I could care less how upset she is right now. “I was just…I was just keeping things from you, for your own good!”

“Psh,” I grunt disbelievingly.

“You should be happy that I’m okay, not shouting at me because I don’t involve you in every single aspect of my life!”

“We’re together, Cat. A team. We’re supposed to involve each other in ‘every single aspect’ of each other’s lives.”

“Okay, I’m sorry. I should have told you.”

“You’re damn right you should have!”

“What else do you want me to say?!” she cries in frustration, quickly brushing away the tear that dared to sneak from her eye. “This hasn’t been easy for me, Justin.”

“Why didn’t you just tell me? I could have made it easier for you!”

“I didn’t want to worry you.”

“But you lied!” I repeat for the umpteenth time, unable to grasp how she can act so callous in regards to such a despicable act. “I knew something was wrong, and I asked you for the truth. You know, that thing were you don’t lie?”

“What can I say?” she gasps despairingly. “I was confused; it wasn’t as though I was prepared for the situation at hand! I didn’t know how to react!”

“Wait…” Suddenly, a thought so infuriating it makes me want to scream the house down enters my mind, and I slowly turn around at hearing the squeaking of leather.

Trace stops shuffling on the couch the moment our eyes meet, and he looks down guiltily. In the midst of Cat’s revelations and my yo-yoing emotions, I forget the reason I even challenged her in the first place.

I turn back to Cat, a look of disgust on my face. “You told him?” I ask slowly, nodding a revolted head in the direction of Trace.

A frightened look passes her already scared face. “Now, Justin…”

“You told Trace, your boyfriend’s best friend, before you even told your boyfriend himself?” I utter quietly, feeling the anger bubble furiously inside of me.

“Don’t be--”

“Don’t be what, Cat? Angry! Well many apologies, sweetheart, but I’m very fucking angry!” I shout, my voice taking an unexpected rise in volume as I stand up to loom over Cat impressively.

“Justin--”

“Have I ever, ever given you reason not to trust me? And what has Trace done that’s so fucking special, huh?” I ask heatedly, pointing an accusing finger over my shoulder at Trace, who doesn’t even warrant my stare. I’ll deal with him later.

“I just had to tell someone that wasn’t…”

“That wasn’t me,” I finish spitefully, my tone nothing less than cruel. “You’re a real class act, you know that Cat? I do everything for you, everything, and how do you repay me? You fucking lie to me!”

“Would you stop saying that?” she sobs, clutching the sides of her head with her hands. “I’m sorry; there’s nothing else I can say!”

If it were any other circumstance, I would have swooped down on her and kissed her pain away. Even now, when my anger has reached its optimum and I think I could snap something in two, I don’t relish in her tears. But the cut of betrayal just runs far too deep for me to feel any compassion for her at the moment. She should have told me, and that’s that.

“I support you, I make sure you’re okay, I fucking love you every minute, of every day…and it clearly means nothing to you.”

“It does! I just didn’t want to bring you down with my issues…”

“Fuck that,” I snort derisively. “You know I would have been more than happy to help. You fucked yourself and me over, Cat. Congratulations.”

Another cry escapes her lips and she bends her head into her hands, my words fulfilling their purpose of tearing her down.

“Is this what last night was about too?” I ask incredulously, my shouts getting more enraged with each word. “You and all your kinky shit?”

She hiccups slightly and rubs a hand over her face, looking up at me wearily. “I didn’t want you to touch me,” she admits bitterly, as though she’s just too tired to defend herself anymore.

My eyes widen. “I don’t believe…I mean how could you do…I just don’t…” Finally letting out an animalistic groan of frustration, I turn away from her and angrily claw my hands through my hair. I was right; everything she’s done, everything she’s said, just everything has been insincere.

“I practically raped you, for fuck’s sake!”

“No, no you didn’t!” she denies, and for a moment I appreciate her trying to make me feel better. “It was a crazy idea…I just didn’t want you feeling the lump. It was the first thing that came to mind. I knew I couldn’t put you off any longer…”

“If you told me, I would have never pressured you in the first place!” I let out an irate breath of air. “I thought this was a step in our relationship, a way of you to show me how much you supposedly ‘loved’ me!” I cry angrily. “I knew I was getting a bit lucky, seeing as you won’t even let me fuck you in any way that might, God forbid, be exciting.”

“Justin!” she exclaims, her head snapping up to look at me with offended disdain and embarrassment, as Trace groans in the background. “I can’t believe you just said that!”

“What?” I ask in mock innocence. “That I would belittle our sex life by calling it fucking? Don’t get me started, Cat. You’re the one who tied me up just so I wouldn’t feel the lump, or whatever fucked up reasoning was behind your thinking! It really shows how much respect you have for what we do together.” How could she do that? Tarnish something that is, without sounding too much like a chick here, supposed to be sacred with all her lies?

“I do respect it,” she whimpers pathetically, seeming to have given into the shame. I seem to have broken her, but she’s broken me too. I can’t even fathom the shock continuously racing through my body that she was so dishonest with me; it hurts, it actually hurts.

“Yeah, I’m sure you do. And hey, because Trace is all part of this, does that mean you’re banging him too?” Her cries intensify, but I frankly don’t care. “What did you do to him? Dress up as a nurse and stick a thermometer up his ass!”

Trace seemingly comes out of nowhere as he traverses across the room to kneel by Cat’s side, gently rubbing a hand over her knee. His arm envelopes her shoulder and he places a warm kiss on the side of her head, slowly rocking her comfortingly as she cries.

He glances up at me disapprovingly. “Okay man, you’ve made your point. That’s enough now.”

“Trace, you really aren’t in any position to patronize me right now,” I bite scathingly, placing my hands on my hips. Although, I have to admit it, the niggling feeling of remorse is very slowly settling in the pit of my stomach. But it is very much overridden by resentment.

“I’m sorry I told Trace, I just blurted it out…” she sniffles as Trace brushes her hair away from her face. “Justin, I’ve been making a lot of mistakes lately, and I admit that…”

“Good.”

“But I am sorry.” She reaches up to grasp the hands dangling uselessly at my sides, staring at me in desperation. “I really, really am. Please don’t hate me.”

I sigh, knowing her warm voice, husky from crying, was slowly chipping away at the cold, harsh front I had put up in defense. All of the nasty, wounding comments I could still throw at her die on my tongue, and I give her hands the tiniest squeeze of reassurance. I can’t stay mad at her, but I can still be deeply, truly upset with her. Everything just came so quickly, and all of my reactions were balled up into one and came out as an utterly cruel response.

But I can’t be sorry, not right now. I will be, for all the horrible things I’ve said, for how I’ve made Cat feel, for how horrifically this argument went. Maybe in an hour, maybe in a week, hell it might even take a month before I apologize to her. And I know I’ll regret not making it clear just how exhilarated I was that she wasn’t ill. If I had known about it for a while and the results had just come through, I would have reacted quite a bit differently. But this afternoon, I barely had time to register there was even a chance of something being wrong, let alone worry about it; as soon as the idea was put into my head it was snatched away again.

And for the moment, I still can’t get the resounding thumping out of my head.

Cat doesn’t trust me.

Was it something I did? Or something I didn’t?

We’ll have to talk. Cat will probably have a lot to say about her scare with cancer, and I’ll have to force myself to listen even though the thought of her sick makes my skin crawl. But she’s been through a lot, and I’d better become the fucking confidant I should have been all along. I want to get a real explanation as to why she didn’t tell me, rather than a few excuses mumbled through tears. I want her to tell me every single emotion that she felt, so I can kiss it all better. I want to be the hero again.

There’s going to be awkwardness before we reestablish some trust, before I can even look at her compassionately again. God, I don’t even think I want to have sex until this is dealt with.

“Cat, I’m just…I just need to be…alone, okay?” I mumble, feeling the scratch at the back of my throat from shouting. She nods, wiping at the traces of tears on her face and fixing her gaze on her clasped hands, recognizing just as well as I do that we shouldn't be in the same room at the moment.

I need to get away from her before I say even more things I regret, find out even more things that make me angry, or before I have even more time to dwell on the fact that our relationship really isn’t as sturdy as it appears.

Chapter 24 by Teeny
“Please don’t cry,” he coughs gruffly, my emotional state clearly toying with his male sympathy, which, by law, is limited.

“But he hates me!”

“You know Justin says things he doesn’t mean when he’s mad,” Trace says soothingly, as he rubs my back gently. “Everyone does.”

“I-I know,” I hiccup, tasting the salty tang of tears as they ran down my cheeks to hit my lips. “I don’t even care about what he said, I just feel so g-guilty.” And just to punctuate the sentence in the same way that every love-bruised girl does, I let out a pathetic wail of sadness.

He remains silent; this isn’t really the situation where he can rush to my side and say that Justin’s overreacting, because he isn’t. “He’ll get over it, you two just need to talk,” he settles for eventually, after a few seconds of sob-interrupted silence.

“But he’s s-so mad at me, Trace!” I cry, wiping away a few tears with my fingertips.

“Well…” he trails off uncomfortably, propping his elbow on the arm of the chair. “What were you expecting?”

I burst into a fresh round of tears, evoking Trace’s awkward back-patting again. There’s not doubt that he’s still angry with me, but fortunately Trace, like Justin, is a sucker for crying women. He doesn’t have the heart to just up and leave me on my own without an at least feeble attempt at cheering me up, even if his comforting technique is a little unconventional. His words post argument have so far provided an invigorating mixture of consolation tainted by the occasional typical male comment, like, “I don’t know why you’re so upset, it’s your fault”.

“I’m so happy you’re okay,” he says after a lull of quiet. “I don’t know what we would do without you, Cat.”

Smiling weakly, I pat the back of his recently shaved head. “Thanks, that’s sweet of you.”

“It must have been great finding out and letting go of the worry, right?” he continues, grasping at straws.

“Yeah, it was a relief.”

An uneasy still falls between us once again and my mind travels upstairs to Justin, whose footsteps I can hear stomping about grumpily, before the melodic sounds of Coldplay at an entirely unnecessary volume meet my ear. He must hate me, abhor me, detest me. Why shouldn’t he? If Justin so much as lied to me about what groceries he had bought I would go crazy. And if he lied to me about something like this, something of such great magnitude…I don’t know what I’d do.

What can I do to make him see things from my point of view? My words are pointless; no matter what, he’ll still be furious with me. I know Justin, and I know he stubbornly refuses to forgive easily. Perhaps he’ll soften around the edges if he knew I genuinely had his best interests at heart, but how can I make him see that?

“Who the hell has been smoking in here?” I ask groggily, my throat thick with emotion as I try to focus on something other than Justin for a moment. “That smell is getting stronger by the second.”

Trace hesitates, before sheepishly tugging at the collar of his track jacket and holding it out to me. Staring at him cautiously, I lean forward and take a sharp inhale of his top, only to be drowned by the dirty stench of stale smoke.

“Jesus Christ, Trace. Were your clothes washed in an ashtray?”

He sighs and reaches into his pocket, pulling out a seemingly empty packet of cigarettes. “I had an urge,” he shrugs guiltily beneath my infuriated gaze.

What? Do you have any idea what you’re doing to your lungs? Do you know that in younger people, three out of four adults that suffer from heart disease are smokers? Do you know that you could have bronchitis, throat cancer, lung cancer, emphysema--”

“Alright Cat, that’s enough,” he interrupts wearily, rolling his eyes at me. “I don’t need your second hand health class bullshit, I know what the consequences are.”

“Then why are you smoking?” I ask incredulously; I never really understood tobacco-users, how could they do to themselves? “I thought you had quit?”

“I had. I did. Just…not anymore.”

“Trace, that is barely an adequate response.”

“Cat, I don’t need your preaching right now, okay?” he says roughly, slipping away from the somewhat forced reassuring persona. “Your self-righteous attitude is really starting to piss me off.”

“I’m telling you for your own good!”

“Oh sure, like lying to Justin was for his own good too?”

“Exactly.”

“And we can all see how fan-fucking-tastic that turned out.”

“I did what I thought was best!”

“Oh Jesus, Cat,” he groans, turning away from me and agitatedly opening his packet of cigarettes as he mutters under his breath. “I don’t even think you realize how much you’ve fucked up.”

I recoil slightly, frowning at his severity. “What?”

He sighs, closing the rectangular packet upon seeing it empty. “Listen, your best bet right now is to just lay low and wait for Justin to cool off, before doing the groveling of your life. There’s no point in sitting here feeling sorry for yourself, because that’s not going to help anyone.”

Ah, I see his strained consoling air is now truly abolished. “I’m not feeling sorry for myself!”

“Yes you are.”

“No I’m not.”

“Yeah, you are.”

“I am not!”

“Fuck this,” he mutters, steadily approaching the door . “For once in your life Cat, just stop being so fucking proud and admit you’ve done something wrong. Do you think Justin’s going to say, ‘Oh, it’s okay, baby’ the second you bat your pretty eyelashes at him? Wake up and smell the coffee, sweetie. Things are in a bad way.”

“Why are you being so mean to me?” I whisper, my voice unable to mask my hurt. Trace has always been on my side, whether I’m teasing Justin, arguing with Justin, playing with Justin. Those two are the best of friends, of course, but Trace is like the big bear of a brother that I never had. He never turns his back on me.

His hand pauses on the curve of the door handle and he glances down at the floor. “If I screw with my common sense enough, I can understand why you did what you did.” He looks over at me, his brown eyes a whirlpool of disappointment. “But then I think to upstairs, where the best friend I’ve ever and will ever have is doubting everything abut himself because of what you’ve done.”

My head drops to my hands in shame, the tears spitefully prickling my eyes.

“And I have to be the one stuck in the middle of all of this, not knowing who’s side to take,” he finishes softly.

I nod in the cage of my hands wearily. “I know, and I’m so, so sorry.”

He remains silent for a moment, looking down at the carpeted floor again. “It’s just like….you never get it wrong, Cat, but when you do…it’s so wrong.”

As much as I would love to stand up and argue my case, little voices inside of me are vehemently agreeing with him. “I know.”

He glances over at me and sighs, before crossing the room and gently kissing the top of my head. “I need to leave, okay?” he says, locking our eyes in contact. “You guys have to sort this out between yourselves without my interfering.”

“But--”

“Don’t even ask me to stay, you know I can’t. There are supposed to be two people in a relationship, not three.”

“Where are you going to go?”

He shrugs. “I’ll just go to a friend’s house, maybe Pamela’s.”

Before I can try and match the name Pamela to the numerous faces that filtered through our kitchen after a night with Trace, he stands up and pulls his jacket closer around him, glancing out of the window at the somewhat cloudy skies.

“Okay, well text me or something, let me know where you are,” I sniffle, running the back of my hand over my eyes.

“Sure thing,” he replies, taking his keys off the top of the stereo and throwing them in the air. “Good luck.”

“Thanks,” I mumble, running my hands through my hair.

“Cutie, you know I love you, right?”

I laugh and nod. “Love you too.”

He smiles and heads out through the living room door, before doing the same through the front.

It’s just me and Justin.

---------------------------------------------------------

After deciding that forty five minutes was an adequate length of time to have had Coldplay banging loudly from my sound system, I knocked the volume down a few notches. Not that the people in the apartment beneath us would ever have the balls to come up and tell me to keep it down, but it’s the principle of the matter.

Just as I was contemplating a CD change (perhaps some women-bitching Eminem), a gentle knock at the door makes me look up in surprise. Trace? Doubtful: he would never have the manners to knock, especially gently. Cat? But surely she would have realized I’m still in the fuming stages post-argument? I can’t speak to her yet.

“Come in,” I call out, tossing the Encore to the side, letting it land with a soft thump on the made bed.

The door slowly opens to reveal a white plate balanced on a pale hand, followed by the whole body of the plate-carrier.

Cat stands in the doorway awkwardly, looking at the sandwich innocently laying on the plate. “Hi,” she says to the sandwich.

“Hi,” I reply, sitting up a little straighter.

“I er…made you a sandwich,” she says, holding out the carefully cut triangles with ham peeking out the sides. “We haven’t used that ham and it’ll go bad in a few days, and I thought you might be hungry, so…um…here you go.”

Raising an eyebrow, I take the extended plate from her hands and set it on the table to the side of my half of the bed. “Thanks.”

"Its got the butter spread right to the edges, just the way you like it.”

“I’ll eat it later.”

Without the porcelain plate to occupy the actions of her hands, she nervously starts to twist them and looks to her right, through the open window to the towering gray buildings surrounding us. Oddly, seeing her feeling so uncomfortable and nervous has lessened my anger somehow. Maybe I just know I’m the one with the power in the room and it has made me more relaxed, as obsessive as it sounds.

“Perhaps we should talk,” I suggest, sliding up to rest my elbows against the pillows cushioning the bed so there’s room for her to sit down. “And I mean talk rationally, like the adults that we are, and not shouting.”

“Okay.” She gingerly leaves her prop against the wall and walks apprehensively to the bed, delicately sitting down a few feet away from me at the foot of the bed.

“I’m not going to apologize,” I tell her, firmly but not harshly. “I know some of the things I said downstairs were out of line, but I don’t think they were unjustified.”

“I completely understand.”

I take a sharp inhale. “You have to see things from my point of view, Cat. Do you know how I felt down there? Finding out that my girlfriend didn’t deem me a reliable confidant?”

“I do! I just--”

“Cat, let me ask you this,” I interrupt calmly, making sure to capture her blue eyes in a steady gaze with my own, “if you could turn back time, would you have told me in the first place so that we wouldn’t be in the mess that we are right now?”

She looks down at the comforter, biting her lip unsurely. “I…I don’t know.”

I lean back and suck my breath in. I suppose I have to appreciate her honesty on this occasion, and yet... “But why the fuck not!” I shout suddenly, my calm manner shattering.

She jumps and looks at me doubtfully, her eyes already having a thin sheen of moisture. “You said no yelling.”

Shaking my head, I ruggedly run my hands over my face. “Okay, fine, I’m sorry. It’s just…it’s like you’re only sorry because you got caught out. How do I know you would have told me if I hadn’t already found out from Trace? Would you just have kept it to yourself forever?”

“Justin, I don’t know what you want from me,” she says weakly, rubbing her forehead. “I’ve said I’m sorry, do you want it in blood?”

“I want to know why you didn’t tell me the first fucking moment you thought you could be ill. Jesus Cat, you could have had cancer and I wouldn’t have known!”

“I didn’t want you to worry about me!” she replies desperately. “I just wanted to deal with it on my own and not drag anyone else into it!”

“Then why the fuck did Trace know?”

“It just slipped out!”

“Oh yeah, because things like that just ‘pop up’ in every day conversation!”

She drops her head and stands up, pacing the floor despairingly. “We’re shouting again,” she reminds me gently, coming to a stop in front of the window and once again staring out at the sky scraper scarred landscape.

“I just don’t understand why you did it, I really don’t,” I mumble, cupping my face with my hands and resting my elbows on my lap. “I thought we were doing good.”

“To some extent, I don’t either,” she says quietly, keeping her back to me as her curvy silhouette forms in the window. “I mean, I know you’ve probably concocted some completely erroneous idea that I don’t love you enough or something like that…”

I look up guiltily, glad she can’t see me. Of course that’s what I thought.

“Oh God,” she chuckles darkly. “If only you knew how much that wasn’t the case.” She pauses for a moment, speaking in a way that sounds more as if it’s to herself rather than me. “I’m not cut out for this love thing, Justin. I never expected it, never wasted hope on it, never thought I’d have it. Do you have any idea what it’s like to suddenly be with something who makes the whole world pale in comparison?”

I frown at her back, wishing I could see her face to see the emotions running across it.

“I’d give you my life, I honestly would, Justin. Maybe I don’t tell you it enough, and maybe I don’t always show it, but I do love you, and there’s no one in this world that I would trust more.” She taps the window sill before shaking her head and slowly walking around the room aimlessly. “But this was something that neither you nor I had control over. They say love can move mountains, but how can it stop cancer? I had to be realistic; I couldn’t just depend on you saying something nice and making believe that everything was going to be okay. I needed something more solid than that.”

“But I would have helped you,” I insist, putting a hand to steady myself on the comforter and turning around to look at her meandering figure. “I wouldn’t have just fucked around; I do have the ability to act responsibly.”

She turns to me, a raised eyebrow etched on her tired face. “Justin, you would have freaked out and acted anything but responsibly.”

“That’s not true!”

“Look at how you reacted just an hour ago downstairs! It was a perfectly normal response, Justin, all I’m saying is that with all that I was going through, I really didn’t need that on top of it.”

“Did you ever think of my feelings throughout all of this? How it would effect me?”

She rolls her eyes. “Well excuse me if I was being a little selfish at the time, Justin. Funnily enough, I was sort of concentrating on my own well being before anyone else’s.”

“But we’re supposed to be in things together!”

“And Justin,” she says, walking over and kneeling on the bed in front of me, clasping my hands in hers, “we always are. But in that ‘we’, are two different people who both lead two separate lives. We’re as close as we can be, and yes, in many ways we are one, but I’m still Cat, a woman in my own right, and you’re still Justin, a man in his.”

“I don’t understand.”

She groans in frustration. “I’m trying to make you see that in every relationship there has to be independence, I have to do things myself.”

“Sure you do, but those ‘things’ are stupid crap like buying tampons or brushing your teeth; that’s all you. But this, Cat…do you even realize the enormity of what could have happened?”

“Yes!” she snaps forcefully, snatching her hands from mine. “But here’s the big thing--it didn’t!”

“What are you trying to say?”

She sighs and stretches her neck muscles. “I’m saying that we’re moving in circles here. We can go over it a million times; I held something from you that, okay, maybe I shouldn’t have, and you’re angry. Why can’t we just forget about it?”

“I can’t believe you’re trying to brush over this!”

“I’m not, I’m just stating a fact: we can debate and argue and talk and cry as much as we want, but we’re still going to reach a pointless conclusion.”

“And that is?”

“That I’m sorry,” she says softly. “Justin, you can’t possibly imagine what this whole fucked up journey has done to me; I can’t have you against me right now. If there was any time that I needed your help, it’s now.”

“I would have given it to you before, if you had given me the chance.”

“But I didn’t, and the only thing I can say is that I’m sorry. Why can’t you just forgive me?” she whines desperately, looking at me distraughtly.

“But how can I do that? It’s not as though this has just affected me, this has spread to every part of our relationship like a freaking infection. Even our sex life if fucked up, for God’s Sake.”

“Look, last night was…”

“Insane?” I supply spitefully. “How could you let me do that to you, Cat?”

She shakes her head and glances down, hastily wiping away at the tear the dared to escape her eye. “I was scared and I didn’t know what else to do. It was a mistake.”

“I just…I just can’t believe you would do that. Even thinking about it makes me want to vomit,” I spit disgustedly, casting an angry glare towards The Goody Drawer, whose name I’m seriously considering changing.

“The only thing I can say is that I will never do anything like that again, I promise,” she whimpers as she rubs at her eyes with her hands, withholding the last of her tears.

“Why should I believe that?” I ask, eyeing her with trepidation.

“Because I honestly can’t bear the thought of having to lie to you again,” she chuckles slightly. “It was like lying to my mother; I couldn’t do it.”

“I can’t just let things go this easily, you know,” I say carefully. “There’s still so much stuff…anger, hurt…just stuff that needs to be sorted out.”

“And we will, over time,” she reassures quickly, staring at me sincerely. “But right now, I just want to put everything behind me. Never think about it again. It’s all in the past.”

“That doesn’t mean we can just forget about it.”

“But it means we can just try our hardest to…to move on, as cheesy as it sounds. What happened, happened, maybe you can see my way of thinking, maybe you can’t. Why can’t we just put it behind us?”

Lazily reaching forward and gently linking our fingers together, I smile at her. “Promise we’ll be completely honest with each other from now on? No secrets, no lies, no hidden feelings?”

She returns my smile happily. “I promise.”

Giving her fingers a squeeze, I accept her hug as she collides into me, gripping me tightly.

“And I didn’t mean what I said about you and Trace.”

“That’s alright,” she murmurs into my chest as she nestles comfortably against me.

“I mean really, where would you even get a thermometer?” I say with as much seriousness as I can muster, before Cat’s snort finally escalates into a laugh and I can’t help but follow suit.

And just like that, it’s almost as though things are back to normal again. Or, as normal as things ever can be for me and Cat.

Almost, but not quite.

Chapter 25 by Teeny

“Could you pass me the butter please?”

“Of course.”

The tub of butter is past along to the recipient, who gives a nod of thanks before pulling the lid off and discarding it on the smooth kitchen surface.

A silences descends. The scraping of the knife across the toasted bread crackles through the still, accompanied by a cough.

“Did you sleep well?”

“Yeah, thanks.” I remain quiet for a second. “You?”

“Pretty good, pretty good,” she nods approvingly, picking up a slice of buttered toast and taking a small bite. “It was hot last night, wasn’t it?”

“Oh yeah, I had to get up at like, twelve to turn on the AC.”

“Mm,” she murmurs, taking another bite from her toast, just to have something to do. “I wasn’t expecting it to get so humid this quickly up here.”

“It has been rather sticky lately, yes.”

Silence. The clock slowly ticks in the background, striking half past ten.

“Have you heard from Trace?”

“Nah, he’s probably still at Tamela’s.”

“Pamela’s.”

“Yeah, that’s what I meant.”

Another silence. The clock hits twenty nine minutes to eleven.

“Um…going to the studio today?”

“No, Pharrell called to say he had a tummy bug, and Chad says we should just take the day off.”

“Oh, right.”

“Yeah.”

“What did you say?”

“Nothing, I just said yeah.”

“Okay.”

Now, you can call me Captain Obvious, but something tells me this atmosphere is slightly more strained than usual. Cat and I usually spend our time laughing, joking, playfully insulting each other, talking, everything that ensures some form of communication. But now, we’re acting like two strangers struggling to make idle chitchat.

I still don’t know how to respond to the whole…thing. Is that what this is? A ‘thing’? Something that’s going to be constantly plaguing us in the back of our minds whilst we pretend nothing’s wrong? I don’t know whether to turn my back on the entire incident and try to act as if it never happened, or face it head on and accept nothing is going to get better if I don’t make it better.

I don’t want to sound like a pussy, but…ignoring it sounds a whole lot easier.

“Oh, hey,” I exclaim suddenly, hearing the clock tick towards twenty eight to eleven. “There’s something I wanted to catch on TV at ten thirty.”

“What is it?” she asks, slowly stirring some milk into her hot chocolate.

“Some VH1 thingy; Hottest Young Stars, or something.”

“Didn’t we just watch that last week?”

I smile. “Yeah, but they always call their shows that.”

“Why do you want to watch it?” she asks innocently, taking a small sip.

I look at her blankly. “To check that I’m in it, of course.”

She stares at me for a moment, before a giggle escapes her throat, the girly sound chipping at the chilled environment. It’s funny how just a sweet little laugh can lift the mood of a room considerably.

“Can I watch it with you?” she asks timidly, running her finger over the rim of her cup and staring into the swirly brown whirlpool of her cup.

Staying angry at Cat is an option I never have. I may be moody with her for a few days, I may even quite-on-purposely drop my wet towel on the floor after showering because I know it pisses her off, but eventually I seem to forget why I’m mad at her in the first place and let things just slot back to normal. Is that bad? Have we just pushed too much stuff under the rug? Is our lack of real communication how we ended up in this huge mess in the first place?

Then again, there’s no point in adding fuel to the fire by trying to be snippy with Cat. Perhaps an afternoon of mindless TV-watching would do us good, put a temporary band aid on our problems, just for the moment. Cat will make sarcastic comments about the intelligence of every celebrity to grace the screen, I’ll try and defend them and recite an interesting anecdote about the time I met them at an awards show, and she’ll start to point out whose breast implants look weird.

I mean really, who has the energy to face every problem head on? Couples around the world can’t discuss everything that happens between them, can they? I can’t bear the thought of another heart-wrenching talk with Cat, which will inevitably end up with her in tears and me as confused as ever. She’s probably right, maybe we should just try our hardest to forget this ever happened, never speaking of it again.

But why does it feel as though there’s a brick of worries laying nicely in the pit of my stomach that won’t move unless I make it?

I think I’m just sick of it. Sick of analyzing everything that is said between us, sick of wondering whether we’ll ever get back the times where we were just plain silly and had actual fun together, sick of anxiously waiting for something else to go wrong. There are just some times where you have to shrug and let things go, and pray that they don’t come around to haunt you later on. These past few weeks have been cloudy with troubles, and maybe I’ve reached the stage where I’m simply ready to give them the finger and say, ‘fuck it’.

Why can’t we just get back to the old Cat and Justin, the ones that lived an easy, breezy life, and never fought? So we have a few unspoken issues; is it that big of a deal?

--------------------------------------

“Beyonce? Please!”

“And what is wrong with Beyonce?” he asks, laughing as the guy with a green polo shirt and a penchant for ass-kissing comes on the screen, singing Beyonce’s praises.

“Justin, she got famous by inventing a completely ridiculous, and might I mention utterly unnecessary, word. Bootylicious? What the hell is that?”

“It’s a good word! Very…creative,” he chuckles, throwing a kernel of popcorn at me.

“Anyone can add ‘licious’ to something to create another word; it doesn’t exactly take a stroke of genius. And why would we need a word for saying, ‘ample assed’ in the first place?”

He shrugs. “I’m sure Sir Mix-a-Lot would’ve really appreciated it.”

“And I’m sure the rest of the world would have really appreciated it if he hadn’t written that stupid rap song.”

“That’s a great song, baby; I like big butts and I cannot l--”

“Justin,” I interrupt quickly, “unless you want tomorrow’s headline to be, ‘Girlfriend Beats Boyfriend To Death With Cordless Phone’, I suggest you halt that rendition and admit booytilcious is booty-crap.”

“You’re just jealous you didn’t come up with it first,” he says simply, trickling popcorn into his mouth with his right hand.

I roll my eyes. “If I wanted to come up with a word that everyone would eventually grow to hate, than I would do it.”

“Go ahead, then.”

Folding my arms, I pause for a brief minute to produce an adequately stupid word, before replying, “Sud-alicious.”

“Sud-alicious?”

“Yeah, it’s the new word for ‘soapy’.”

Justin stares at me for a moment, as though to gauge the chances of me being serious, before erupting into another train of laughter. “You’re such a nerd, Cat.”

I turn my head back to the TV, catching a glimpse of her Crazy in Love video. “She is pretty, though.”

He nods, shaking the bowl to look for the unpopped pieces of corn. “Yeah, gorgeous in person.”

“How gorgeous?”

“Very,” he says simply, immersed in a completely black piece of burnt corn.

Trying to pretend I’m not in the least bit jealous of Beyonce’s perfect bone structure and Justin’s apparent recognition of this, I cross my legs haughtily. “Yeah, well, she’s got chunky thighs.”

“They look okay to me,” he replies, glancing up at the TV at a particularly flattering shot of her rolling her hips. “She’s really curvy, but toned at the same time. It’s great.”

Oh, so why doesn’t he just build a shrine to her? “I still think her thighs are a little big.”

“Nah,” he shrugs, shaking his bent head as he continues his search in the popcorn bowl. “Perfect proportion, very feminine. She’s a great girl too--so thoughtful and kind.”

“Did you date her or something?” I ask spitefully, unsuccessfully swatting away at my jealousy.

“I wouldn’t call it dating…” he murmurs cockily, before ending a proud smirk. “I’d call it more of an… ‘arrangement’.”

“An arrangement?”

“Yeah,” he shrugs casually. “We wouldn’t seek each other out but when we met at TV shows and stuff, we, you know…”

“No, I don’t know.”

He rolls his eyes exasperatedly. “We had sex, Cat.”

If anyone remembers why I pursued this subject in the first place, please come forth and remind me, because I don’t.

Actually, I’m lying--a habit I’m finding increasingly hard to break. Keeping lighthearted, funny conversation is crucial at this stage of post-argument. If we stop talking, a silence as thick as it is uncomfortable will settle between us, leaving a gap for potential uneasiness and, God forbid it, having to talk about the problems still lingering in the air. No, no, it’s far better to paste on a smile, spin out jokes like there’s no tomorrow, and maintain a bright mood in the room, even if it is a little strained. Whether Justin can sense this strain or not, I have no idea; he probably can, but for the sake of our situation, isn’t saying anything.

It’s sort of like…it’s sort of like when you’re running, and you have to really force yourself to keep on going, because you know that if you stop, that’s it: you won’t start again. Or, even worse, you collapse into a pile of bones on the sidewalk and can’t get up for ten minutes. That’s how conversation after any argument is. As long as I keep on joking, he keeps on laughing, and we keep pretending there’s nothing wrong, I’m sure we’ll be fine.

Trying to push any images of Justin and that slut Beyonce out of my head before I vomit from revulsion, I think about it rationally. “Well, I suppose if I had the chance to have sex with Beyonce, I’d probably take it too.”

He raises an eyebrow impressively. “Oh really? I would have never suspected you were a lesbian at heart, babe.”

Laughing, I stand up and pick up the popcorn bowl, heading toward the kitchen to rinse it out. “Just for Beyonce. And maybe Christina Aguilera--she seems like the type of woman who would have a thing or two to teach me.”

“I thought that was my job,” I hear his voice call from the living room.

Shaking my head with a smile, I splash some water into the bowl and lean heavily against the sink for a moment, catching my breath. Being constantly aware of what you’re saying at the tone that you’re saying it in sure can drain a person; that’s why I try to avoid situations where there are a lot of new people, because it just gets so tiring having to be on constant “funny” alert.

That’s sort of what it feels like. As though I have to perform to Justin, to prove that I’m still a good person; as though he’s some form of stranger who I must impress. I just want him to do something that makes me feel as though I’m succeeding. Sure, he’s laughing at my jokes, but something is still off, a piece of the puzzle isn’t quite slipping into place. When we go to bed tonight, the animosity between us will create a colossal gap between us in our bed, each person stuck to their respective side, just like it was last night. I clung to my half of the bed desperately, almost hoping that Justin would turn over subconsciously in his sleep and lie closer to me, just so I wouldn’t feel so bad.

Things will slip back to normal soon, I know they will. It just feels as though this is something that’s going to hang over our head for longer than I care to admit, ultimately creating a giant wedge of unspoken concerns between us. I don’t know…maybe I’m overreacting?

Or maybe I’ve got it exactly right.

“Cat! Come on in here and check this out! Fergie from Black Eyed Peas is totally humpin’ the floor!”

A burst of laughter escapes my lips before I can even have the time to think about it, and I hurry into the living room to see if Justin’s claims are true.

As I brush against the back of the wide, comfy black leather armchair Justin sits in, he reaches back and gently grasps my arm, pulling me towards him.

“Come sit here, baby,” he says softly, leading me to his lap and placing a soft kiss on the back of my hand.

Gazing at him as he laughs at the image on the screen, an overwhelming feeling of gratitude rushes through me. He would have been entirely in his right to never speak to me again after everything that happened, but he didn’t. His lips part to reveal his brilliantly white teeth (which to this day he still maintains he’s never had whitened) and my fingers idly run over his shorn head, relishing in the slightly stubby, yet still oddly soft texture of his short hair.

How could I even consider putting what we have on the line? I love him too much for anything to pull us apart. Feeling courageous, I lean forward slightly, gently pressing my lips to his forehead. He glances over, smiles, and squeezes my side slightly.

It was the simplest gesture, and yet it’s just enough to rest my aching worries. For the moment, at least.

---------------------------------------------

“What would I even wear?”

“Cat, it’s not a fashion show, it’s the gym.”

“Says the guy with the pristinely white Nikes that have never been worn before,” she snorts, gesturing to my shoes from her position in front of her wardrobe as she agonizes over what to wear.

“Well…” I mumble helplessly, lifting up one foot to inspect the sole of my shoe. “Sneakers are the most important part to any work-out outfit. They have to be in good shape.”

“I don’t think I even own a pair of sneakers.”

I roll my eyes and finally stride across the room to kneel down beside her, as she searches in the very depths of the closet for a pair of shoes. “Of course you do. Everyone has sneakers.”

“Well if I do, I haven’t worn them since gym class ‘98.”

“There,” I point in the corner at a pair of beat up Nikes. “And they’re Nikes too, so we match.”

She groans as she pulls herself out of the wardrobe and stands up. “Hooray.”

“Come on, it’ll be fun,” I reply happily, gently punching her on the shoulder.

Her stony glare makes me recoil slightly. “Justin, we’re going to the gym. If there’s anything it certainly won’t be, that’s it.”

A day in the gym: what could be better? I love the gym, the idea that I can sculpt my body into any shape I want is amazing. I can lose weight, gain weight, add muscle in places I would never dream. The gym seriously rocks.

Cat, however, does not share this opinion.

She works out every now and then, but not so much that it would make a difference. In fact, most of the time, she ends up finding a magazine or book that changes her mind and she reads that instead of doing half an hour on the treadmill. I was shocked when she asked if she could come with me; I mean really, it would be like the Pope saying, “Hey, can I come over to that orgy that you’re having?”.

I know what she’s doing, and it’s exactly what I would do in her position. By spending as much time with me as she can, she’s trying to paint over the events of the past few days, replacing all of the horrible memories with happy ones. It’s the common response to any mistake and sadly, the effect lasts for about twenty minutes before something serves as a reminder of the unpoken-of-yet-still-there bad feeling between us.

“You don’t have to come.”

“No, I want to,” she replies, cramming her feet into the sneakers. “After all, I did say I would try and get in better shape this year.”

“Okay, if you’re sure,” I shrug, opening the bedroom door for her and watching her sashay her hips down the stairs. “You’ll really like Robb, that’s my instructor.”

“What’s he like?”

How can I describe a man who possesses roughly two hundred pounds of solid muscle? “Very…exercise-y.”

“Then I doubt we’ll get on all at all.”

I try to swallow the snort creeping up in my throat. The chances of them getting on well are right up there with the chance of someone saying Hell is a little bit chilly. Robb is the unfortunate breed of person who is perfectly primed for Cat’s merciless yet utterly hilarious teasing, and Robb may well shoot himself after meeting Cat and discovering that yes, there are actually people in the world who hate exercise.

It’s going to be hilarious.

-----------------------------------------

He can’t be serious. There’s no way. Absolutely not. I refuse to believe it.

What can only be described as a muscled engorged gorilla on steroids stands before me, clapping his hands together excitedly.

“Robb,” he says, seizing my hand in a bone-breaking grip and grinning widely at me, managing the inexplicably difficult task of showing both rows of teeth and gums at the same time. “And that’s Robb with two B’s.”

Really? I didn’t think it mattered, because last I checked gorillas didn’t know how to write. “I’m Cat. And that’s Cat with a C.”

“Not a K?”

“No,” I reply, desperate to add a sarcastic comment but feeling Justin’s ‘Be nice’ warning squeeze on my hips.

“You know this is great, it’s really great, seeing more people coming to the gym, because you know in this day and age, there are far too many people thinking it’s cool to stay at home, eating those chips and sitting on their asses and you know what? It’s not cool, it’s not cool at all.”

What? “Uh…yeah, I totally know what you mean.”

“That’s great, Cat, really great. I’m glad we’re the same, up here,” he jabs the side of his head angrily with his index finger.

And I’m glad Justin’s chosen a personal trainer who is so clearly on crack. “No prob, Robb.”

“Hey, you rhymed,” he says, flashing his teeth-slash-gum combo again.

“That I did.” Is it possible to send psychic messages to someone you love; you know, think of something in your head, and then let your significant other know without opening your mouth? If you can, Justin, get me the hell out of here.

“Okay Justin, I’m gonna chat…with Cat,” he pauses to turn to me and smirk, clearly very proud of his own rhyme, “so why don’t you get warmed up with a few minutes on the tread, and then hit those weights, starting with, say…fifty pounds?”

“Sure thing,” Justin answers, pulling the white towel he had on his shoulder and tossing it over his gym bag. “Have fun, Cat,” he says, his eyes laughing at me.

He’s leaving me on my own with him? Well, I’m glad he’s finding this so hilarious, because quite frankly the prospect “chatting” with Robb-with-two-B’s sounds about as appealing as jumping out of an airplane without a parachute.

“Come on Cat, let’s go,” Robb interrupts my thoughts, walking towards a quieter section of the pulsating fitness center with strides as wide as three of my steps.

As we walk through the gym, my eyes begin to linger over the stark white walls, marked with the outlines of giant black, flat screen televisions flashing various music videos mounted on them. Everywhere the eye wanders, figures dressed in skimpy, body-hugging sportswear run furiously on a treadmill, their ponytails swishing from side to side. People determinedly lift weights, their faces strained with resolve as they clearly battle with their instincts to just drop the heavy load in their hands. The smell of sweat and hard work linger in the air victoriously, as a final indicator that everyone in this gym takes it very, very seriously.

I do not belong here.

“Siddown, Cat,” Robb says, motioning next to him as he sits on a bench off to the side of the hysteria, allowing a perfect view of the perspiring bodies.

Did he say sit down? Seeing no other possible option of what he could have meant, I apprehensively slide in next to him, nervously running the palms of my hands over the top of my sweat-panted thighs.

“So, Cat.”

“Yes?”

“What I really like to do with all my clients is to have a real heart-to-heart with them,” he says, looking at me in a such a way that would suggest we were about to spill our darkest secrets to each other rather than discuss exercise.

“Right.” Sensing now would be an inappropriate time to laugh, I bite down on my quivering bottom lip.

“What made you realize it was time to get in shape?”

Probably the same thing that made you realize you weren’t one of those people who had a dazzling personality to fall back on. “Well, a bit of everything, I suppose. Vanity, of course, and I just felt as though I’d feel better about myself if I was a little…different.”

He nods encouragingly, as though expecting me to burst into emotional tears and admit that I had hated myself for years and thought my life would never be complete if I weren’t a size two. This guy has watched far too much Oprah.

“And my dad was ill a little while back, which I guess made me a little more health-conscious. I have a pretty good diet, except for chocolate, my favorite indulgence.” As I smile, he looks mildly disgusted by the mention of chocolate, as though it were a horrible swear word. “I just knew I needed to lead a more active lifestyle.”

“And what do you want to achieve by working out?”

Distracted by a flickering muscle in his arm despite the fact he’s not moving, I try to focus my attention on him. “Um…sorry, what did you say?”

“Do you want to lose weight, gain muscle mass, or just improve your cardio vascular?”

Is he speaking Sporty with me? I can understand a lot of languages, but Sporty is not one of them. “Um…” It’s multiple choice, at least one of the options must be right. “Lose weight?”

“Okay,” he claps his hands together abruptly, making me jump. “That’s cool, that’s great, that’s something we can do.”

“Mm,” I murmur unenthusiastically, trying to inconspicuously see whether the man in the corner lifting weights was Brad Pitt or whether my imagination was just running wild.

“How much do you weigh?”

My eyes snap back to his. “Excuse me?” What a bastard. You never ask a woman how old she is, how much she weighs, or how many men she’s slept with. Did they not teach him this in the zoo?

“I’m just trying to get a rough idea,” he says, laughing at my offended expression and somehow finding enough confidence to slap the side of my thigh jokingly.

Did he dare to touch me? “I have no idea,” I reply haughtily, crossing my legs pointedly. So don’t ask me.

“Guess.”

And why would I want to do that? “Maybe…one…forty? I honestly have no idea, it could be anywhere between zero to two hundred pounds.”

He laughs. “Well Cat, that’s quite a large estimate.”

Well gorilla, it’s a certain fact about myself that I’ve been trying to avoid for the past twenty two years. “Mm.”

“You know what I love about you, Cat?” Before I can mumble an unexcited, “what?”, he continues without taking a breath, “you represent the average American woman. Not skinny, not fat, just right in between.”

“Great.”

“And you know what I can do with that, Cat?”

“Wha--”

“I can mold you into this sexy, healthy, fitness machine! You’ll look, feel and be a different person, and all it takes is a little hard work and trust me when I say the benefits are real good and totally worth it.”

What do I have to do, slap punctuation into him? The man never breathes, I swear. “Well that’s…good.”

He starts speaking a nanosecond after the words leave my lips. “What’s you’re favorite form of exercise?”

“Well, I--”

“Let me guess. Running? Cycling? Kickboxing?”

Dear God, someone give him a valium. “I’m not really much of an exercise person.”

As easy as switching the lights off, his smile disappears. “What?”

I squirm uncomfortably under his scandalized gaze. You would have just thought I had called his mother a heifer. “Er…sorry.”

“You don’t like any of them?”

“Um…I was on the field hockey team for a year when I was eleven,” I offer helplessly.

“That’s…something.” I almost want to take it back, just to remove the hurt look on his face.

“Yeah. I had to quit though, because apparently I was a little too aggressive in defense.”

As my fake laughter rings uncomfortably, Robb makes an odd “humph” noise, and doesn’t question me further. “We’d better see how you’re fitness is, then,” he says, pointing towards a row of running machines.

“It’s non existent,” I laugh, pulling up the baggy sweatpants.

Robb-with-two-B’s turns to give me one more appalled look, before gesturing to a treadmill.

----------------------------------

“Justin, the man was trying to kill me!” she exclaims, throwing down her track jacket angrily. “Why are you laughing? It’s not funny!”

“I’m not laughing,” I snort, trying to stop the corners of my mouth from lifting. “I’m just a naturally happy person.”

She rolls her eyes and tugs at her damp tank top, pulling it off her tired body. “Honestly, he was pissed at me from the second I said I didn’t like stupid fucking shitty exercise! Do you know what he made me do? Forty five minutes. Forty five minutes of running!” she says shrilly. “And he called that a goddamn warm-up!”

“Well, baby, workouts are tough.”

“Yeah, but I would have thought the general idea would be that you were still living at the end of it.”

“You still have enough energy to bitch, so clearly you’re not that tired,” I point out, preparing myself for the slap that is sure to come.

“You know what, Justin? Be quiet,” she orders, pausing in front of the mirror and pulling the tie from her hair out roughly. “And, just to top it off, I look like crap.”

“You look fine,” I remark, tossing my wifebeater into the washing basket. “Kinda post-sex, actually. It’s hot.”

“I look like this after sex?” she says incredulously, motioning to her flushed cheeks and tousled, damp hair. “Why do you ever sleep with me?”

“It has its advantages,” I mutter quietly, trying to block out the thread of unhappy sex memories threatening to dull the happy mood between us. Our sex life is the last thing I want to be thinking about now.

She notices it too, and tenses momentarily. “I’d, er, better get this stuff down into the machine,” she says quietly, bending to pick up her discarded clothes.

“No, I’ll do it. You go take a shower,” I offer, eager to leave the room as quickly as possible.

“Okay, thanks,” she mumbles, turning away from me shyly to remove the rest of her clothing as I hurriedly leave the room.

Just as I thought, the gap between us is ever present. And we had been doing so well ignoring everything, too. It sort of makes me wonder whether we’ll ever get over this; every conversation we have seems to ultimately lead to an uncomfortable situation.

As the hum of the shower being turned on flows through the walls, the penetrating ring of the phone causes me to drop my bundle of washing and rush for the ringing dramatically.

“Hello?”

“Hey Justin, it’s mom.”

“Oh, hey momma.”

“How are you, baby?” she asks warmly, in that parental, soothing tone that sounds like honey.

“I’m great. Just back from working out.”

“That’s nice. How’s Cat?”

“She’s…good too,” I answer, not feeling in any way inclined to delve into the particulars. “She came to the gym with me.”

“Did she? I’ll have to talk with her about that.”

I laugh. “Yeah, her account of it is pretty funny.”

“Anyway, I was just callin’ to ask whether you’d been in touch with Johnny lately?”

“Um…I called him about a week ago because it was his son’s birthday, but not since then. Why?”

From the tone of her voice, I could hear a smile. “Oh baby, you’ll never guess what!”

“What is it?”

“A certain artist whom you have a whole lotta respect for has asked to work with you.”

“Who?” I ask, not getting my hopes up too soon. It’s probably someone like Nick Carter, and my mom’s just trying to be funny.

“Chris Martin!”

My breath catches in my throat, and a tidal wave of shock crashes down on me. “You gotta be shittin’ me!”

She giggles. “I promise I’m not. He heard along the grapevine that you were back in the studio and was trying to get in contact with you.”

“Mom, if you’re lying, I’ll be real pissed.”

She laughs again. “I swear, it’s true! He sounds really eager to get something done with the two of you.”

“It could be so fuckin’ awesome, couldn’t it?”

“Language,” she warns, before chuckling. “But yes, it could.”

“Well, I gotta call him, I gotta say yes!”

“Call Johnny first,” she says logically, “get the number from him, and then call Chris.”

“Wow…Chris Martin, mom.”

“I know,” she says excitedly, and I want to just reach right into the phone and kiss her senseless for being so encouraging.

“Right, I’m gonna phone Johnny. Thanks for telling me, ma.”

“No problem, baby.”

“Love you.”

“Love you too, honey.”

Quickly finding the red button so that I can hang up and call Johhny to get the number, my mind starts to reel out of control. How much would working with Chris Martin rock? I know I may have taken my Coldplay-appreciation a little far at times, but I truly think they’re a great band and listen to them all the time.

Now, note to self: do not act like a complete teenage bitch when talking to Chris Martin, and try not to use the phrase, “I totally respect your music, man”.

----------------------------

“Isn’t that great news?!”

“Three weeks?” I repeat breathlessly.

He nods, still grinning. “Yeah.”

“And you’re definitely going?”

He looks at me incredulously. “Of course. Would you turn down Chris Martin?”

It wouldn’t exactly take a lot of effort. ‘No’ is only one syllable, after all. “What are you going to do there?”

He shrugs happily. “Make music. Can you imagine anything better?”

Unable to respond, I make an odd peeping noise before finding myself wrapped in Justin’s tight embrace.

“I’m so excited, Cat!” he exclaims, his voice full of exhilaration. I can’t help my snaking my arms around his shoulders and hugging him back as he jumps up and down in hysterics.

“Aren’t you happy for me?” he says, pulling back and holding me at arm’s length with his smile still securely in place.

I try to swallow the lump firmly lodged in my throat and nod. “Of course, sweetie.”

“This is going to be my best album yet!” he proclaims, suddenly jumping away and picking up the phone. “I gotta call Trace. The guy must be finished now, right?”

I lean against the frame of the door, watching as he eagerly retells the wondrous tale of the conversation between him and Chris Martin, how there was mutual admiration exchanged, how Chris brought up the subject of them working with each other, which was unusual because generally it’s the artist who is doing the album who approaches another, how they discussed the best place to do it, tossing places like New York and London before finally settling on LA, how that’s where they’d be able to work with some other big shot, blah, blah…

Yeah, that’s right. L-fucking-A. Los Angeles. The other side of the fucking country. And for three weeks, or “maybe more, if we click real good”.

“I know, man! I know! Yeah…yeah, totally…well, I dunno, you wanna come?”

Trace is going? Does that mean Justin wants me to come too?

“Exactly, you can see that girl again. Come home, Short Stuff…naw, naw, me and her are cool now…. Yeah, really…. Of course we did.” He sends a cautious glance in my direction, doing little to disguise the topic of their conversation. “Anyway, this isn’t about that. When am I leaving? Real soon, hopefully.”

But I don’t want him to leave. I want him to stay here, with me. What if he’s in LA and finds some siliconed sex toy who makes him see he should dump my ass sooner than you can say ‘uh-oh’? What if he’s just using this as an excuse to get away from me and our occasionally awkward existence together? What if he’s not really over everything that’s happened, and is thanking his lucky stars he can finally leave? What if I’ve really fucked everything up?

God, I really have to stop worrying about Justin so much. This relationship is going to give me a coronary if I don’t calm down and stop fretting over the most insignificant things. Maybe a few weeks apart would do us good; bar that small trip home I made a little while ago, Justin and I have been permanently attached pretty much from the moment we met, so that adds up to well over a year of constant existence with another person.

A break of sorts might be a good idea, especially with everything that’s happened lately. I could sure use the time to just relax, not think about how well or badly my relationship is going, and have some fun outside of the little circle of me, Trace and Justin. In fact, I think I need that.

“Trace is on his way home,” Justin says, putting the phone down and snatching me from my reverie.

“Oh, okay.”

“Woo!” he screams happily, punching the air. “This is gonna be even better than Justified, I can feel it.”

I chuckle slightly. “I’m sure it will be.”

“So I’ll call Angela to get some flight tickets…we should keep it as secretive as possible, that way it’ll be a huge surprise when people hear Chris Martin helped me for my record!”

“They’ll never expect it.”

“You know, maybe I should ask my mom to come and house-sit for me,” he says suddenly, clearly in that excited state that jumbles his thoughts all over the place.

I glance at our surroundings. “Why do you need a house sitter? You left it empty for over a year.”

“Well now that all my personal shit’s here, I can’t take the chance that it’ll get broken into or something. And plus all my mails’ getting directed to here now, so I need someone in the apartment to pick it up in case I get something important.”

“Does Trace definitely want to go?”

“Oh yeah,” Justin nods, still smiling. “Trace loves LA, he has tons of friends there. He probably won’t even stay with me, he’ll stay at Laney’s place.”

“Who’s Laney?”

“This girl that Trace has been completely in love with since we were in eleventh grade,” Justin snorts, picking up the washing he has discarded after answering the phone. “Every time they see each other, it’s this whirlwind, passionate love affair for a few weeks and then suddenly it’s over.”

I trail after him as he heads into the washing room. “Why?”

He shrugs, piling the clothes into the machine. “I don’t know. They work really well together, but for a limited time only.”

“That’s a shame,” I comment, instinctively reaching down to pull out a white sock from the colored clothes.

“I can’t wait, Cat, I really can’t,” he says happily, putting in far too much powder. “Long days, long nights, going hours without seeing the outside world…recording is the greatest experience ever.”

“Aren’t you recording now?”

He shrugs. “Yeah, but at the moment I’m just kickin’ it with Chad and Pharrell. It’s different when you meet a new producer, because you have to connect with them before you start making music.”

“I see.”

“So you spend hours and days just having midnight talks, sharing secrets…”

“Sounds like a slumber party.”

“It is,” he laughs, fiddling with buttons on the machine before finally stepping aside and letting me do it. “Like with Chad and Pharrell, we became great friends whilst recording; that was the best summer ever. We just had so much fun together, partying, talking about girls, stuff like that.”

“How come you never did that with Amber Flower Power?”

He smirks. “We clicked musically, but we weren’t best buddies. And anyway, how much would you have liked it if I had locked myself in a studio with Amber for three days?”

I stand up, straightening my back. “So you’ll be a complete recluse for the whole visit?”

“Probably,” he shrugs.

“Maybe…” I stare at the washing machine as it slowly bumbles into actions, suddenly churning the clothes around in a circular motion. “Maybe I shouldn’t come.”

Justin stops, as though he was a balloon somebody had just stuck a pin into. He gives me a cautious look. “You don’t want to?”

“Well, it’s not that…” I trail off, uncomfortably. “I just don’t see the point in my being there. You and Trace will both be busy with your own thing; I‘ll have nothing to do.”

He remains silent, waiting for me to finish before he adds his opinion.

“I’m not saying that I don’t want to, it would just make more sense for me to stay home and take care of the house.”

His stare seems blank, as though he’s thinking things over in his mind. “Okay, if that’s what you want.”

“I don’t want it to seem as though I don’t want to go, it just--”

“No, no, I understand,” he nods genuinely. “And there’s more paparazzi in LA too, and neither of us want that.”

“Exactly,” I agree, nodding vehemently. “You’ll probably get more work done without me on your case,” I laugh uneasily.

“Yeah, probably,” he chuckles, tapping the top of the washing machine. “Wow, this will be our first separation. We’ve never had to be apart before.”

“It’s only three weeks.”

He snorts. “You know you’ll miss me,” he teases, poking me jokingly on my stomach.

“Of course I will,” I reply seriously, staring him in the eyes. “I do love you, after all.”

He stares at me, a faint smile lingering on his face. “And despite everything, I suppose I’ll have to love you too.” Oh, very comforting indeed.

I have a plan: why don't I use this time apart to my advantage? I could get a new haircut, splash out on some new clothes, work out as much as I can...I'm sure Robb-with-two-B's would be thrilled to hear I've come back for more of his satanic exercise regimes. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more appealing it becomes. Hopefully it'll make Justin magically forget about the horrible, deceitful things I've done recently, and fall in love with me all over again.

I know it's not a very "Cat" thing to do, but I'm doing this for Justin. I can't bear the halfway state things are in at the moment; by the time he comes back, I will have changed so much, he won't be able to stop himself loving me.

And if that doesn't work, Lord knows what will.


Chapter 26 by Teeny
“Trace, are you ready?” Justin calls up the stairs, failing to hide the annoyance in his voice.

“Yeah!” comes the reply, which is quickly punctuated with a, “I just need to get dressed!”

He rolls his eyes, leaning heavily on the banister of the stairs. “So you’re not ready, then?”

There’s a silence. “Kinda depends on how you define ready…”

“Oh God,” Justin groans, pushing himself away from handrail and walking around the hall impatiently. “How can a guy, who can plan four weeks of nonstop activity for me, be incapable of getting his ass dressed by the time he’s been given?”

Reaching out to calmly stroke his bicep, I smile. “It’s not as though the plane is going to leave without you.” Justin had needlessly wasted a ridiculous amount of money chartering a personal flight for just him and Trace to take them to LA, and no amount of persuasion on my part could convince him that it was an utter waste of money.

“Baby, it’s easier if I get a private jet,” he repeats for the umpteenth time in the last few days. “That way I can avoid the hassle of airports, because, trust me, everyone in LA has got a camera in their hand, ready to take a shot of a celebrity and sell it on Ebay.”

“Well, you are going to Hollywood, the breeding ground for the most fame-hungry people on this earth,” I shrug, rolling me eyes. “Oh, and let’s not forget the only place in the world where it’s normal that the percentage of people without breast implants pales in comparison to the number of those who do.”

He laughs, swinging his car keys on his index finger. “Very bitchy.”

“But very true.” Sighing, I pull down my top nervously. “Just run over the plan one last time?”

He lets out an annoyed breath of air and throws his keys in the air, catching them again. “We’re takin’ the Viper to the airport…”

“Is that some kind of snake?”

“No,” he replies, shaking his head with a smile. “It’s my car. You’ve been in it. The silver one with the button ignition.”

“Oh, you mean the thing that threatened to break my neck as we hurtled down the highway?” At his nod, my eyes narrow. “Are you sure that’s safe to drive?”

He rolls his eyes. “Yes.”

“Justin, I’m being serious. That thing goes at an immense speed, I don’t want you getting carried away and crashing into some other poor soul.”

“Cat, I’ve been driving for almost ten years, I think I can handle it.”

“That’s what everybody says,” I proceed, the panic rising in my voice. “All you boy racers go out there thinking you’re invincible and then, bam, you’ve T-boned a fence!”

“Cat!” he says sharply. “Please, stop worrying! We’ll be fine.”

“But what if--”

“You’re being worse than my mom, so can you please just let it go, okay? We’ll be fine.” Seeing I have no choice in the matter, I let him continue. “Anyways, Mike and Tiny are meeting us at the airport.”

“Okay,” I nod, crossing my arms across my chest, for some reason feeling the flutters of nerves in my stomach. “What time is your plane going to take off?”

“At the rate we’re going at now…” he trails off, checking his diamond encrusted watch. “Probably around three.”

“And you’ll call me when you get into Los Angeles?”

“Of course.”

I bite my bottom lip, drumming my nails against my arm. “Make sure you wear your belts on the plane.”

He rolls his eyes. “Okay.”

“And for Heaven’s Sake, don’t piss off the flight attendants by stealing peanuts.”

Justin grins broadly. “Now, there’s a promise I’m never going to make.”

“Okay, I’m dressed, I’m ready, I’m…I’m shoeless,” says Trace, stopping in his energetic journey down the stairs and frowning as he looks around him, as though expecting his shoes to be within a yard’s distance.

Justin lets out an angry sigh. “Man, we couldn’t be any slower if we were going backwards, now find your fucking shoes and let’s get the hell out of here.”

“Patience, my dearest friend,” replies Trace in a sing-song voice, happily hopping towards the living room and looking for his shoes under the couch.

As Trace disappears into the large living room to search for his footwear, I turn to Justin. “I guess we should say our goodbyes now.”

“Yeah,” he replies quietly, staring down at the bundle of chinking keys in his hands. “I hope you’ll be okay on your own.”

I laugh uncomfortably. “I spent twenty one years on my own before you swept me off my feet, I think I’ll be okay.”

He smiles, still not greeting my eyes as he fingers the keys to the house. “Well, you know where I am if you need me. I’ll come back in no time, or fly you out there, whatever.”

“Sure.”

Just as an awkward silence looms over us, threatening to crash down and linger for the three weeks that we’ll be apart, Trace’s triumphant shout of, “Found ‘em!” is heard, and we break into uneasy laughter.

“I’ll miss you,” I admit earnestly, capturing his gaze as he looks up at me.

“I’ll miss you too,” he says quietly, slowly reaching out to hug me, his strong arms enveloping me into the warmth of his chest.

Taking a deep inhale of the cologne I bought him at Christmas, I nuzzle into him, relishing in the closest contact we’ve had for days. It feels as though he’s inflicted a strict, ‘No Touching Cat’ Rule lately, despite the fact we’re not going to be seeing each other for quite some time. Our sex life is such a taboo I’m beginning to doubt we’ll ever actually sleep together again.

“Love you,” I whisper into his ear, as an oblivious Trace rams his feet into his sneakers behind me.

He sighs, stroking my back and playing with the ends of my hair. “I love you too, Cat.”

“Don’t do anything…stupid, whilst you’re there,” I remind hesitantly. If fraternizing with gorgeous blonde LA models is under the category of “stupid”.

“I won’t,” he promises, giving me an awkward pat on the back before jumping away, as though my body has suddenly burned him. He buries his hands in the pockets, glancing slyly from underneath the slits of his eyes at me and Trace.

Is this a mere insight to the rest of our relationship? His ridiculous blowing of hot and cold; one minute murmuring sweet proclamations of love, and the next snapping away, as though he’s too afraid to get close to me again? He acts as though I’m some form of disease he thinks he’ll catch by standing too near.

“Cutie,” Trace says, holding his arms out to me and playfully twirling me around. “Try not to watch too much Friends whilst we’re away.”

Snorting, I poke him in the arm. “Try not to shrink too much whilst you’re away, Tempt,” I laugh teasingly, “or we’ll just have to slip you right in my pocket!”

“Excuse me, I am the grandiose height of--”

“Guys, really,” Justin snaps wearily, staring condescendingly at the pair of us, as though we were two kindergarteners making trouble by the water fountain. “We don’t have time.”

Trace raises an eyebrow, glances at me and shakes his head. When he came home, I had been expecting some kind of somber talk or lecture from him, at the very least an enquiry about how Justin and I were doing. That’s what he always does, right? But instead, he skipped into the apartment beaming and talking about an incident he had had on the subway, and didn’t make the slightest reference to the events of the past few weeks. It seems as though everyone in this house is trying their very best to pretend it never even happened.

Holding out my arms to him, I wrap him in a hug that, for some reason, holds a whole lot more feeling than me and Justin’s did. “Take care of him,” I whisper into his ear as Justin starts to look around him in case he’s forgotten anything.

“Don’t worry about him,” he replies, rubbing my back. “You just worry about yourself. Make sure you always lock the doors at night and stuff. And don’t let the doorman seduce whilst we’re away.”

Laughing, I pull back, trying to stifle the tears building up in my throat. “I’ll try to control my urges, but there is something about his seventy-year-old self that really rings my bell.”

“We really should go,” interrupts Justin pointedly, putting his wallet into his pocket.

Trace stops mid-laugh and gives him an incredulous look, which Justin returns icily.

“It’s going to be a long trip,” Justin explains in a chipped tone.

“Call me when you land,” I remind them, trying to disrupt their budding argument as I slowly budge them out of the apartment. “Drive safely.”

“Okay Cat, I’ll see you later,” Justin says hurriedly, placing a very small, very awkward, very forced kiss on my lips, and then withdrawing hastily.

He’ll ‘see me later’? What does he think he’s doing, going grocery shopping?

“Bye doll,” says Trace, kissing my cheek affectionately and smiling at me. “I’ll make sure to tell Chris Martin you think Gwyneth Paltrow is way out of his league.”

I giggle and open the door for them, giving them one final wave before watching them jostle each other over who can press the button for the elevator. When it finally arrives and the two doors slide open, they step in and stand with their backs against the wall, Trace short, Justin tall. Trace’s face hinting at sadness at leaving me, Justin’s a picture of relief.

The doors shut, with the two men offering meek waves, leaving me in a city I barely know, in an apartment that’s far too big for just one person, and entirely on my own.

This is exactly what I need.

---------------------------------------------------


“Well, I hate to sound like a prick here, but it sounds total bullocks.”

My grin widens. Chris Martin just called me bullocks. “So how are we gonna make it better?”

He leans back in his chair, tapping a pencil against his lips. “Well, take out that crap guitar for one. It just clutters things up. Secondly…maybe add a soft piano in the background or something. But not overpowering, for Heaven’s Sake, like that blundering guitar that you’ve got now. Just something to free things up.”

“But what about the guitar solo after the third chorus?”

“Take it out,” he says simply with a wave of his hand, “put in a few tinkly piano noises instead. It’ll bring the song down a lot more, to like, chill out, rather than dance.”

“I get you,” I nod, tapping away at a few buttons that could potentially not be what I think they are. “I’ll try and get a piano melody down for that.”

“Cool,” Chris nods, standing up and stretching his back. “Oh, I bumped into one of your friends on the way in here.”

“Which friend?”

“Rebecca something…she had flamin’ red hair.”

My heart froze. Not that psycho. I’m not being disrespectful, the girl genuinely is crazy. We had one night together and she stole my boxers, for crying out loud. She was desperate to have my children just so she could tell everyone that she had been impregnated by Justin Timberlake. “Rebecca Bru?”

“That’s the one. Said you two were great friends.”
I let out a disbelieving snort. “Oh, trust me, that isn’t the case. You see, back in 2002, just after I had released Justified, I--”

“Justin!” I shrill voice suddenly interrupts, as the door to our studio flings open. “How wonderful to see you again!”

Oh no. The crazy, red-haired mental patient is here. “Um…hey, Rebecca. Nice to, er, see you too.”

“How are you!” she exclaims, wrapping me in a somewhat unreciprocated hug and drenching me in the exotic smell of perfume. “I haven’t seen you since, oh, it would be when we slept together in October 2002!”

I stare at her as though she had three heads as Chris makes an uncomfortable noise in the background. “Mm, that must be it.”

“Hey, I hear you got yourself a very special honey,” she says, poking me in the stomach with her brown eyes blazing. “Apparently, you two are practically engaged.”

Psh, as if. “Well, that’s a bit ambitious, I think.”

“Really? Because I heard from Paula Jones who heard from Sara Giles who was at your birthday party that you’d found a real, girl next door sweetheart who couldn’t wait to get married and start a family.”

Where the hell did that come from? “Um, no, that’s not quite it.”

“She said you two were all over each other, practically stuck at the hip, she said.”

I think back to my twenty fourth birthday party, when my mom grinded on Trace and Chris, when Cat spent the evening obsessing over whether people liked her, and then gave me those stupid handcuffs that we thought were hilarious at the time… How could something that was such a good joke taint our relationship like this?

We were attached at the hip at the time. We couldn’t get enough of each other. Where did those days go?

“So, how are you?”

“Oh, you’ll never guess what!” she screeches.

“What?” I mumble indifferently.

“I got a gossip column in Rolling Stone, isn’t that amazing?”

Her? A gossip fiend? Never! “Congratulations.”

“Thanks!” she says happily, looking around the studio and waving at Chris enigmatically. “Well, I’d better go. Great seeing you.” And with that, she leaves the room almost as quickly as she came.

Hallelujah.

Slumping back into my chair, thoughts of Cat invade my conscience. She was so wonderful the night of my birthday, even though I knew she felt uncomfortable in front of so many people. She was there for me, and I loved her for that. So why the hell wouldn’t she let me be there for her? I don’t understand it, and I’m beginning to doubt whether I ever will.

“You alright, mate?” Chris ask, tapping my leg to get my attention.

I glance up at him. “Oh, yeah, fine. It’s just, you know…woman troubles,” I smile meekly.

“Let me guess…you had a supremely amazing relationship, and now it’s suddenly gone arse up?”

I frown. “Um…yeah, that’s it, basically.”

He laughs and hits my shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, it’ll sort itself out.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Take it from someone who’s married,” he says wisely. “Things might appear dark, dark, dark, but they get better eventually.”

I rub a hand over my face. “Yeah…yeah, I hope so.”

--------------------------------------


“Personally, I don’t see the big uproar about the Mona Lisa. There are a million theories; that it’s Da Vinci himself in drag, that it’s some silk merchant’s wife…and yet, I just think it’s a woman who happens to be smiling.”

Ed nods, smacking his lips together after taking a sip of his coffee. “I agree. It’s a nice painting, his use of sfumato is impressive, but nothing particularly leaps out at me.”

“Maybe you have to see it up close to fully comprehend its power,” I shrug, eyeing Ed’s milky coffee with envy.

As part of our, "Get Fit, Healthy and almost as Hyper as me!" regime, Robb-with-two-B’s had suggested I cut all dairy out of my diet. Yeah, right. I cleverly told him that I was lactose dependent (a disease I made up on the spot that is supposed to be the opposite of lactose intolerant), and just had to have cocoa beans and milk in my diet every day, which is, of course, utter crap. He didn’t realize that milk and cocoa beans are actually chocolate, and gave me a sympathetic look and said that he’d heard of this condition and sympathized with me. Brightest flower of the bunch he certainly is not.

Regardless, as part of my new losing weight plan and trying to find things to do, I’ve tried to cut out as much milk as I could, and purged the house of all things unhealthy. In other words, I’ve been hungry for the past two weeks.

“Oh, I’ve seen it,” he says. “I spent a year in Rome during my art history major, and I honestly didn’t find it all that moving.”

“Hold on, what time does the museum open?” I ask suddenly, trying to find my phone to see the time.

Ed checks his watch. “Another ten minutes.”

“Good,” I nod, relaxing in my seat again. “I can’t believe I’ve been in New York for what…two and a half months, and I still haven’t been to the Guggenheim Museum.”

Ed smiles and leans back in the small coffee shop’s armchair, watching as a flood of tourists come in through the swinging glass doors. The light catches his brown eyes, making them sparkle slightly, and his moves his chair in to let people past him easily, rubbing the top of his black curls as someone spills a little ice-cold frappucino on his head.

Ed Carrey, a twenty six year old man who has just moved to New York from Chicago, is officially my friend. Well, it’s actually Elliot Carrey, but he told me that he finds that name far too pretentious and only his appallingly rich parents call him that, and everyone else calls him Ed. I’m not entirely sure how he got from Elliot to Ed, but I’ve learnt to never question anything he says.

He is a genius. And that’s no exaggeration; I’ve been in his tiny attic apartment and seen the hundreds of certificates and qualifications hanging on his walls. There’s nothing he doesn’t know; ask him anything, about art, about math, about history, about Cher, and he’ll be able to tell you the answer. Oh, and I really do mean Cher, “I have two tattoos on my butt cheeks”…I don’t fully understand it, but for some odd reason the brainy intellectual has some sort of fixation with the age-defying singer.

We became friends purely by accident. The day after Justin had left (as I was too busy on the first crying my eyes out and thinking there was some mass murderer maniac hiding in the apartment), I went to this tiny book store to search for that book Michael Moore wrote about Columbine, and found that the only people in the shop were me, this guy with brown eyes and black curly hair, and the shopkeeper, who looked so old I thought she’d die at any moment.

As we were the only two in the store and inevitably kept on bumping into each other, we eventually fell into conversation about whether we found Michael Moore biased or whether his extreme views were justified. We got on well, but nothing particularly extraordinary happened and I thought I’d never see him again. So of course, fate spited me and I saw him the very next day in the same book store, pretty much in the same position as I had left him the day before.

This time we did go out for coffee, and I had the most fun I’d had in weeks. We talked, laughed, had political discussions. It was so…refreshing, I suppose. To not be entangled in the web of problems that surround Justin, Trace and I, to not have to worry about everything I say, should it make any kind of reference to cancer, lies, secrets, or sex. He’s the first person I’ve met in a long time that hasn’t had anything to do with Justin or Trace, and it was wonderful. I wasn’t introduced as, “Justin Timberlake’s Girlfriend” or, “That Girl Who Trace Ayala Is Good Friends With”, I was actually just Cat.

It’s a wonder I can even communicate with any of Justin’s friends, seeing as my personality is so starkly different to theirs, and I’ve found that all of the things that I tend to tone down around them, such as my intelligence, I can fully embrace with Ed. Not that I’m saying Justin’s friends are stupid, but how many times does a guy call Ripper want to talk about communism? Ed’s really the last guy since, well, Sean, that I’ve really had so much in common with.

Now, if your mind works in any way like mine does, you’re very suspicious of this ‘Ed’ character. Here I am, a vulnerable young woman whose relationship is on slightly rocky grounds and I meet an intelligent, nice man with brooding dark eyes and a head of thick curly hair? Not to mention the fact that said intelligent, nice man with brooding dark eyes and a head of thick curly hair is the complete opposite of my boyfriend, whose absence I am grateful for, and who I get on with like a house on fire. Surely we’re having a highly secret, highly intelligent affair?

Not quite.

I idly stir the ice cubes around in my water, trying to crush them into smaller pieces so they don’t keep on banging my teeth whenever I try to take a drink.

Ed shakes the sachet of sugar in his hand before ripping it open and depositing its contents into his cup. In our week long friendship, where we’ve met up every day, we’ve done the exact same thing: met in a coffee shop in the morning, had something to drink and, in his case, something to eat, spoken about a book that we’ve read or something on TV last night, and then gone out to a museum or sightseeing. Our friendship revolves around Starbucks and my book of “Most Interesting Places to See and Visit in New York”.

My cell phone starts to buzz unexpectedly. “Mind if I take this?” I ask, pointing towards my vibrating purse.

“Not at all,” he waves of submissively, and I quickly head out of the noisy coffee shop.

“Hello?” I answer, flipping the phone open and pressing it to my ear.

“Hey Cat, it’s Justin.”

“Justin! Hi, how are you?” I ask quickly, my stomach fluttering at hearing his voice. He’s been gone a week already, and I’ve only heard from him three of four times. That doesn’t sound too bad, but when you’re used to living with someone day in and day out, not hearing from them for more than fifteen minutes can be very disconcerting.

“I’m good, things are going great,” he answers, and I can hear the relaxed tone of his voice. He sounds much better than when I last spoke to him. “You?”

“I’m fine, thanks. Just out for coffee with E--…a friend,” I reply hesitantly, suddenly realizing I had failed to mention Ed to Justin, and knowing Justin’s somewhat overactive imagination combined with his jealousy would concoct a sleazy situation in mere seconds.

“Oh really? Which friend?”

I squeeze the bridge of my nose. “Ed,” I reply, not even daring to venture down that road of lying.

He’s silent for a moment, and I can just imagine his jaw tensing. “Ed who?”

“Ed Carrey?” I respond casually, as though Justin might know him. “Didn’t I mention him? I met him in a bookst--”

“Yeah, well whatever, I have to be quick,” he interrupts brusquely, and I know his male ego is just wounded from hearing I’m out with someone else, despite its innocence. “Basically I was just calling to say I’m probably going to be longer than three weeks.”

“What? But you’ve only been gone one, how can you tell already?”

“There’s too much work to be done in just three weeks,” he says simply, in a tone that one might use when talking to a complete stranger, not a girlfriend of nine months. “I don’t know how much longer, but longer.”

“Well, alright, I understand…”

“And there’s also something I want to ask you,” he continues briskly.

“And what is that?” I ask warily, leaning against the dirty wall of the building as hundreds of people rushed pass me to get to work.

“I was just wondering whether you would mind if I, um…” He coughs uncomfortably. “Um…go to a strip club.”

My jaw drops in surprise. “What?!” I exclaim, forgetting his cold manner and frowning angrily, even though the source of my anger can’t see me.

“Yeah. The boys are going out and I--”

“You want my consent to go visit some sleazy brothel where girls are willing to have sex with you for a few bucks? Wow, you’re so considerate,” I spit sarcastically.

“Don’t be stupid. I don’t do anything, I just watch and laugh with my friends. We’re not allowed to touch them or anything.”

“Oh, you’re a real gentleman.”

“Cat, you’re not my mom, I can go if I want. I thought I’d just be polite and ask.”

“Polite!” I screech incredulously. “This is your idea of politeness?”

“Is that a yes or a no?”

I honestly can’t believe the words coming from his mouth. How can he be so cold? Is this just because of the fact I’m having coffee with another man? “You know what, Justin? Fine,” I reply heatedly. “Do whatever the hell you want, you don’t have to check in with me.”

“Don’t you dare try and make me feel guilty, Cat. You’re the one out on a snug little coffee date with Jed.”

“Ed.”

“What-the-fuck-ever!” he shouts, jolting me with his volume. “Shit Cat, can we not even talk like adults?”

“It appears not,” I reply coldly, hoping I can make him feel as crap as I do.

“Great. What a fucking productive relationship we have,” he retorts, and a moment later, the dial tone lets me know he’s hung up.

Asshole. A real fucking asshole. I hate him. I want to cry, I want to scream, I want to call him back and say we’re both being ridiculous. A malicious argument just spawned itself from nothing. I don’t care if he goes to a strip club, I know Justin just laughs and then leaves, giving the girls a tip. And he knows there’s no way I’d cheat on him, the idea is just ridiculous.

“Cat?” a voice manages to swim into my head, through the jumble of thoughts.

Ed stands in the doorway of the café, letting people past him as he looks at me dubiously. “You okay?”

Taking a breath, I try to shove the lump in my throat back down again. “Fine.”

He frowns and walks over to me, wrapping an arm around my bare shoulders (no one ever warned me that it was so hot in New York in June, so I was forced to wear the only cool top I could, which was a strapless creation that showed more cleavage than I liked). This would be the first time Ed’s even touched me.

“Who was on the phone?”

Shaking my head tiredly, I murmur, “My boyfriend,” unenthusiastically.

“Oh,” he says in surprise, pulling back slightly. “I didn’t know you had a boyfriend.”

A feeling of nausea creeps into my stomach. He didn’t think we were…dating, did he? Have I inadvertently cheated on Justin?

“YeahIdoandwe’reveryhappytogether.”

“Sorry?”

“Yeah, I do, and we’re very happy together,” I reply firmly, moving away from his arm. Fuck, fuck, fuck, I thought it was obvious I just wanted to be friends.

“You don’t look very happy at the moment,” Ed comment, raising an eyebrow. “Sure you don’t want to talk about it?”

“Um…”

“Come on, let’s go get another coffee,” he reassures me soothingly, jerking a thumb in the direction of the slightly quieter coffee house.

“Oh, you wouldn’t be interested…” I stutter uncomfortably, giving him an artificial smile.

“Trust me, I find everything about men interesting. Let’s go in before someone takes our table.”

He stands in front of me, looking at me expectantly as I stare at him wordlessly. “What?”

Ed shrugs, tilting his head to the side. “What?”

“You find men…interesting? What?” I repeat stupidly.

“Oh,” he smirks, “I’m gay. Didn’t I tell you?”

Not from my immediate recollection, and I’m pretty sure I would have remembered that.

“You’re gay?” I reiterate in astonishment.

“Yeah,” he pauses, eyeing me cautiously. “That’s not a problem, is it?”

I vehemently shake my head. “No, no, of course not, it’s just…you don’t find me attractive?”

“Er, what?”

“And you never will?” I smile, as Ed face becomes increasingly more worried. “Justin’s going to be so happy.”

Before Ed could turn on his heel and run five hundred yards in the opposite direction, I laugh and clutch his forearm. “Let’s go inside. We can talk.”


So he was gay. Who would have thought? I should have known that as cruel fate would have it, the female race would be deprived of Ed’s intelligence and chivalry and acceptable looks. Once we were back in the coffee house, my mouth opened and I started to ramble about Justin, starting from the very, very beginning when we first met on that destined day in the grocery store, and running right through to our present state. Conveniently missing out that part that he was a global superstar, of course.

I was going to skimp on the details; I had, after all, only known Ed a week and this was something so private it would be improper to impose so much of my personal life on him. But for some reason, once I started, I just couldn’t stop. I told him of my plans to have changed dramatically for Justin’s return, both in looks and personality, I told him how I was so immersed in the threesome of me, Justin and Trace, that without them I was completely alone, so I wanted to regain some of my independency, I even told him about my cancer scare and that stupid, stupid bondage idea.

He convinced me to call Justin again and apologize for how I had reacted. After all, what’s so bad about a strip club? A bunch of girls dancing around shaking their thing could only amuse Justin for so long. Our conversation was brief and to the point:

“Hi Justin, it’s me.”

“Oh. Hey.” The lingering notes of the piano in the background fade.

“Look, I’m really sorry about earlier. It’s not fair of me to ask you to sacrifice your fun just because I feel a little jealous, and I hope you have a good time.”

He was silent for a moment, before he chuckled. “Well, I actually decided not to go. It didn’t seem right.”

“Oh,” I did a few mental cartwheels, “well, for the future then. You, um, have my blessing.”

“Thanks,” he replied, before I could hear the slightest yawn.

“I’ll not hold you long, because you sound really tired, but I also wanted to talk to you about Ed.”

There was another silent. “Look, I’m sorry too. I know I was out of line, it’s just not cool to hear your girlfriend is chumming up with some other guy.”

“I know, and I understand. But you don’t need to worry; Ed’s gay,” I explained, smiling to myself as Justin let out a gasp of surprise. “He’d probably go out with you before he would me.”

“You’re sure he’s really gay?”

“Yeah. He just hates the gay stereotype and refuses to do any of that crap, like wearing man makeup and calling everyone sister, so most people don’t realize until he tells them.”

Justin laughed. “Oh God, we’re both so stupid, you know that?”

“Sadly, yes.”

There was shouting in the background, a quick playing of some piano keys, and I heard Justin cup his hand over the phone before replying. “Sorry Cat,” he said, returning to me, “I’ve gotta go.”

“Okay. Call me later.”

“Sure thing. Later.”

“Bye,” I replied, hanging up the phone and feeling the tiniest of weights being lifted off my shoulders.

That was our first and, so far, only argument. I’m not going to pretend we’re as close and chatty as we usually are, but at least we’re talking civilly. There are advantages to his being away, like I can spread out on the bed as much as I want in a star formation because I don’t have to make room for anyone else, I don’t have to watch any sports on the television, and I don’t have to listen to stupid conversations that go along the lines of, “Who looked better as Cat Woman, Michelle Pfeiffer or Halle Berry?”

On the other hand, I can’t wait for Justin to get back. He’s my boyfriend, it’s perfectly natural to feel slightly off balance. I see things and make a mental note to tell him about it when I get back to the apartment, or I’ll be shopping and wonder whether Justin said we ran out of Apple Jacks. This all makes it sound as though he was dead and I’ll never see him again, but sometimes it feels like that. The time sure is spanning out.

It’s only when they’re gone that I realize how codependent I’ve become on Justin and Trace; I expect them to do everything for me. I had to make sure I had the house keys before I left, whereas I would usually assume Trace had picked them up before we left. I had to take my purse everywhere with me, because I didn’t have Justin slapping down a gold credit card everywhere I went. I had to catch a cab the other day, and I realized I’d only had to get a cab a few times before, because usually Tiny or someone would always be driving me. I mean, how ridiculous is that? Catching a cab in New York City was a new experience for me.

Before Justin came into my life, I spent a lot of time on my own and was extremely independent. Probably too much, in fact. But now that I’m with him, I barely ever go places or do things by myself, and this time apart has made me realize I need to find an equilibrium, otherwise I’m never going to be happy.

My cell phone starts vibrating furiously, and I quickly put it to my ear. “Hello?”

“Cat, it’s Ed.”

“Hey, what can I do for you?” Today is one of the odd days where we haven’t seen each other.

“I was hoping to invite you to a dinner party. I’m sort of scooping up all the friends I’ve managed to make thus far and putting them all in the same room, whilst feeding them delicious finger foods and making them drink wine.”

“Mm, sounds great.”

“Well, it should be. Anyway, would you like to come?”

“Of course!” I exclaim, rather too quickly. “When is it?”

“Thursday. It may seem a rather odd day to have a dinner party, but it’s the only day a particularly beautiful boy I met on the subway can make it.”

“Ah, I see,” I laugh, making my way to the kitchen where the pathetically empty appointments calendar was hanging on the wall. “Want me to bring anything? Food, wine?”

“Just your sparkling personality, dearest.”

I giggle again and write Ed’s name down for the Thursday. “Fantastic. I’ll be there with polished bells on.”

“Great.”

“Oh shit,” I mutter, catching sight of the clock. “I’ve got the be at the gym in fifteen minutes. Robb-with-two-B’s has delighted me by informing me that we’re working on my gluts, and I don’t even want to know what that means.”

“But you just went to the gym yesterday,” he points out.

I search for a response. “You’re point being?”

“Are you sure it’s good for your muscles to be doing so much exercise? I mean, I know you want to look wonderful for your boyfriend, but don’t you think you’re overdoing it slightly?”

“No,” I respond firmly. “I’m barely wasting away, am I?” With this said, I catch a glance of my face in the reflection of the window and groan at the determined roundness of it.

“Well, alright, but just be careful. You seem to be getting a tad obsessed.”

I roll my eyes. “Yes, yes. I’ll see you later.”

“Bye-bye.”

I admit, I have been going to the gym quite a lot lately. But what’s wrong with that? I haven’t seen any results yet, and I’m brutally determined not to stop until I do. It’s not as though it’s doing me any harm.

“You’re late,” Robb-with-two-B’s says, tapping his watch condescendingly. “I’m not impressed.”

“Yeah, well, I’m not punctual,” I reply, throwing my towel down and quickly taking in the white walls and moving figures in the gym. “How are you today?”

“Great!” I should have known, the guy’s never anything less than bouncing-off-the-walls-happy. “You?”

“Ready to feel the burn,” I reply sarcastically, heavily trudging over to the dreaded black treadmill, noting that an extremely skinny and fit girl was running at athlete-speed right beside me. Great.

“That’s what I like to hear!” Robb-with-two-B’s slaps his hands together loudly, causing people to turn in our direction with an alarmed expression.

Groaning, I try and push every thought out of my head, and step on the machine.

-----------------------------------

I’m jealous of a guy I don’t even know. It’s really quite pathetic.

“Oh Justin, you should have seen this guy. He was one of those stunningly attractive but not quite there type, you know?”

“I’ve met a fair few myself.”

“I swear, he had the looks of a model and the personality of a potato. It’s was appalling.”

“Cut the poor guy some slack,” I smile, reclining on the brown leather couch to lie down. “Maybe he was nervous.”

Cat lets out a disbelieving snort. “No, no, trust me when I say the guy was a no-hoper. The only half interesting thing he said all night was, ‘which was better, Home Alone One or Home Alone Two?’”

“Home Alone One, no competition.”

“That’s what he said, but Ed and I thought that, visually, the second one was better. Perhaps it’s just because it was set in New York and Macaulay Culkin had two years in which to mature and further his acting skills--”

“So the dinner party was fun?” I interrupt quickly, not feeling quite up the task of hearing what a great time Cat’s having without me and with ‘Ed’, her new best friend.

Trace tells me I’m being selfish, and that it’s great Cat’s found a friend that she can relate to so much. He says I’m just used to being the only guy that Cat is close to and admires, and that I just don’t want to share the crown. Hell no, of course I don’t. Why can’t she just be happy having me as a friend? And plus, the guy seems to have a severe case of Seanitis, he’s far too perfect for his own good. Cat tells me he’s some sort of prodigy, has an IQ of two hundred or something, and comes from a rich family that he’s not interested in because he’d wants to make it on his own, rather than accepting his huge inheritance. Perhaps he’s not so clever after all.

In some ways, I’m glad she’s met this guy. Ed seems right up her street, and he’s gay so there’s nothing for me to worry about there. Actually, I did doubt his homosexuality for a while, but Cat told me I was being stupid. And the guy does like Cher, after all. She sounds so much happier, compared to the exhausted mess I left behind when I came to Los Angeles, and I know it has something to do with the fact she’s met all these new people recently. To be honest, I thought she’d just end up miserable and coming out here to indulge in the great fun I would be having here.

So how come she’s back there having a ball and I’m here in Los Angeles having a crap time?

We’ve only had one argument, and I have to admit, it was partly my fault. It’s true the guys asked me to go to Forty Deuce and see some girls shake their stuff in my face, but I just wasn’t feeling up to it. But when Cat said she was cozying up to some other guy over hot drinks, my mind went on autopilot. What else was I supposed to think? So I stuck the old knife in and turned it around a few times, asking whether I could go. In the end, I didn’t go anyway.

Recording’s going great, Chris is great and it’s great to see all my LA friends again, but for some reason I’m still not…right. It’s sort of like that faint butterfly feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you know something’s wrong, or going to happen, but for the hell of you you just can’t pinpoint it. I know it has something to do with Cat, but then again when don’t my problems revolve around her?

It’s because we parted on bad terms. Things were still awkward as hell when I left and, well, to be completely honest, we hadn’t had sex since…you know, that night. God, makes me sick just thinking about it. But our self-imposed celibacy worries me, and I don’t know why. It just seems wrong and unnatural. Sometimes I consider just going straight back to New York, sleeping with Cat, getting it over with, and then coming back again. It probably wouldn’t be all that wise, though.

“Anyway, I’ve gotta go.”

I give myself a shake to waken myself up a bit. The dreary brown colors of the recording studio surrounding me always make me a little spacey. “Sorry?”

“I have to go,” she says, and in the background the faint sounds of her packing a bag or something can be heard. “I’ve got Robb at five.”

Frowning, I prop myself up on the backs of my elbows. “You seem to be spending an awful lot of time at the gym lately.”

“I know, isn’t it great?”

“Well, um…”

“Robb says I’m actually improving, can you believe it? I could even be classified as sporty,” she exclaims happily. “I feel as though I’m finally getting myself together, you know? Like I’m actually moving past all…all of that,” she finishes quietly.

I make a grunting noise, not giving away any emotion. I’m glad she’s getting over it, because I know I’m not.

“Good,” I finally settle for.

“Justin, I know things have been…difficult recently,” she says sincerely, “but we’re going to be fine, aren’t we?”

“I know we are, eventually, Cat,” I murmur tiredly, sighing and rubbing my eyes. “But it’s this part in between that annoys me.”

“I can’t wait until you come home,” she says.

“Me too.”

“How long is it?”

“Another week and a half, darling,” I reply, “maybe more.”

She sighs. “Well, I really have to go.”

“’kay, have a good time.”

“You know I won’t.”

Laughing, I drop my phone on the opposite end of the couch and arch my neck, resting my head on the back of the couch. Only a week and a half to go until I see her again, and hopefully only a week and a half until I can get rid of this weird butterfly feeling.

I just know the next time I see Cat, either something really great is going to happen. Or, something really terrible.

--------------------------------

“Just five more minutes, Cat, keep on going,” Robb demands in what I assume he thinks is an encouraging voice. “In five minutes, you’ll be on that pec deck, and we all know how much you love working those pecs.”

“Robb?” I say through gritted teeth, pulling my arms back and pushing from my legs on the rowing machine.

“Yeah?”

“I hate you.”

“No, you don’t, Cat.”

“Okay, I don’t,” I concede, breathing out harshly in an attempt to get some oxygen in my system. “I want to die.”

“No, you don’t.”

“No, this time I really do.”

“Who is this negativity helping, Cat?” Robb asks earnestly, lowering his eyebrows in question. “It’s not helping me, and we all know it’s not helping you.”

“Actually, it’s making me feel rather…” I let out a loud grunt as I pull the bar back again, “wonderful.”

“Come on Cat, you can do it,” he continues. “Just give me five more minutes.”

“You said that two minutes ago!”

“I added on time for your Cattitude.”

I roll my eyes and lift one hand to wipe the sweat from my brow. Robb may say I’m improving, but I really don’t understand how that can be. Perhaps he means I swear less profusely when I’m doing that fucking four mile run. Well, it’s a jog really, and I still curse at least fifty times.

I actually have a lot more emotion for Robb-with-two-B’s than I let on. He’s a nice guy, no matter how hyper he always seems to be. He would call it energized, I would call it coked up. And for some reason I have been coming here every other day for the past month, trying to get myself into shape. What’s really depressing is the fact that my workout, which almost kills me daily, is actually a piece of piss compared to what most people do in this gym.

I hate it. I hate feeling sweaty, I hate feeling my heart race, I hate feeling as though I can’t breathe. The only time any of those things are fun is during sex, and I’m still waiting for my orgasm from the rowing machine.

“Think, Justin’s coming home tonight, don’t you want to look good for him?”

The bastard… “That is emotional blackmail!” I groan, going a fraction faster nonetheless.

“But it’s working,” he smirks, looking at the small computer screen showing my not-so-impressive stats. “You’re speeding up.”

“I am not,” I respond huffily, furious that he knows his twisted form of encouragement is working.

“So, looking forward to seeing Justin?”

“Oh yeah,” I nod, flicking the sweaty hair out of my eyes. “I mean, for the first few weeks, I didn’t really miss him because I was so busy with my friends and stuff, and shit, this thing is hard!” Another grunt. “But lately time has been going so slowly.”

“Has he had a good time?”

“I don’t really know,” I admit, closing my eyes to block out the pain coursing through my legs and arms. “Every time I talk to him, he sounds tired. I think he’s really been stretching himself with work. He says he hasn't even been to any clubs,” I laugh. “But we'll see how true that is when he gets home...you got a girlfriend, Robb dearest? Or do they interrupt your weight-training time?”

“It’s amazing that you can still talk during your workouts you know. And also a bit of a shame.”

“Oh, just hush,” I remark, as he puts a hand on my back to tell me to stop. “I couldn’t stop my sarcastic comments if I tried.”

“I had noticed,” he comments, handing me a towel to wipe my face. “You know, I’ve also noticed a difference in your body shape.”

My head snaps around to meet his. “Really?”

“Yeah,” he nods, “it’s quite big. You’ve definitely lost some weight, and hopefully gained some muscle along the way. Not to mention your fitness has improved.”

Who gives a fuck about fitness? “Am I really thinner?” I exclaim, spotting the mirror lining one wall of the gym and turning around to examine myself from behind.

“You know what would make you look even thinner?”

“What?” I ask excitedly, pinching my waist.

“If you stopped looking at your ass and got on the pec deck.”

Smirking, I move onto the…pec deck (words cannot describe how much I hate that name), and spread my arms apart, before pushing them together again.

“You know what Robb?”

“What?” he asks, staring at my arms and adjusting the positions of my hands slightly.

“You’re okay,” I smile happily, feeling a searing pain go through my arms, with the pain barrier telling me to stop immediately and go and find some chocolate.

He smiles. “Thank you. I know Justin will be very pleased when he sees you.”

---

“Cat, how the hell am I supposed to know?”

“You’re gay, Ed, you’re supposed to know these things!” I exclaim heatedly, stomping my foot childishly.

He rolls his eyes. “Look, before Queer Eye for the Ugly Guy or whatever it was called came on, we gay men were allowed to be as unfashionable as we wanted. Now, people expect us to look like perfectly made up, immaculate, porcelain faced dolls the whole time.”

“Don’t be so dramatic. It’s a simple question. Red and green, or black and black?”

“You look like you’re going to a funeral.”

“So red and green?”

“Sort of looks like a sprig of holly,” he shrugs from the depths of the beige sofa outside the woman’s changing rooms in Macy’s.

“Okay, so that’s a no,” I sulk, returning to my stall and whipping the curtain shut.

I had to buy something that was new and special, but didn’t look too new and special. Justin was going to be coming off an excruciating plane journey, all he probably wants to do is crawl into bed when he comes home. But that doesn’t mean I can’t look nice for him.

After my morning workout, I had brought Ed along for advice and support to go shopping, and to be honest, he’s been crap. At the hairdressers, I was making the rather pivotal decision over whether to dye my hair a different color (eventually I didn’t, it sounded far too adventurous and likely to go wrong), and all Ed was doing was reading an article in Cosmo about how to improve your cosmic connection to your career, and kept on shouting out phrases like, “an utterly fabricated assumption…” and “they’re not being serious, are they?”.

“What do you think would be better, pants or a skirts?”

“Don’t know.”

“Well, which would you rather see?”

“Men in skirts aren’t all that hot. Unless they’re Scottish.”

Letting out a sigh, I grab another skirt and hold it against my hips.

“This guy better be worth all this effort, Cat,” I hear Ed’s voice float through the cloth partition. “It seems you need to do an awful lot to impress him.”

“Trust me, he is,” I assure him, poking my head out of the cubicle before returning and sliding the skirt up my thighs. “What do you think of this?”

He glances up from his New York Times. “Nice.”

Rolling my eyes, I pursue the subject. “Nicer than the last one?”

“Um…yeah, I’d say so.”

“Good,” I smile confidently. “That’s progress.”

Tonight, I'm going to make that awe-inspiring, fantastic impression that all those bastard hours at the gym and time spent gazing longingly at pizza have been leading up to. And I'm going to make Justin Timberlake fall for me harder than before.

-----------------------------------

The elevator opens, its sliding doors parting to reveal the door to my apartment, standing proudly before me. Behind that seemingly innocent front door is a woman who does things to my head I didn’t know possible, and I mean that in a good and bad sense.

I’m nervous, and I’m man enough to admit it.

I’m also tired, and jetlagged, and eager to get to bed. Of course I want to see Cat, these past few weeks have dragged on like nothing other and thank goodness I had the distraction of work, but the idea of my big, warm bed is the thing most enticing me.

Slowly pushing the key into the lock, I open the door, hearing it creak on its hinges. My stomach seems hung in suspense, partly excited to see Cat again, partly scared shitless things will be worse than before. But really, how could they get any worse?

“Justin,” a small voice says in front of me and as I look up, I see a figure standing in the kitchen doorway, illuminated by the light behind her.

My mouth goes dry at the sight of her. For a second, I think there’s a complete stranger in my house, until the stranger’s lips part to reveal a slightly goofy smile that I know can only belong to one person.

Cat looks entirely different. Her hair, it’s sort of the same but more…I don’t know, fluffy? It frames her face perfectly, coming down in unrehearsed curls, as though she just woke up with perfect tresses. Her face looks quite familiar, only more pronounced in areas. Her cheekbones stick out more, her jaw seems more defined. And her body…her body.

She’s always had a very feminine body, with a small waist and big hips, not to mention a killer chest, and I love her curves. The way that her waist just dips in and then arcs out at her hips, it’s beautiful. There’s nothing more enjoyable than just letting my hands glaze over her body, in search of new curves.

And right now, I really, really wish my hands were on her body.

Every expression of hers seems to be strengthened. Her waist seems just that little bit narrower, the widening of her hips seems more gradual, making the perfect hourglass shape, as though someone had just carved her waist and hips like a knife slicing through butter. The legs climbing out of the surprisingly short skirt are leaner and look lengthened because of it. Her shirt, which in my opinion is far too modest, covers up her bust but nothing appears to have gone down in that department, thank God.

It could be my male senses heightened by a four week absence and an even longer sex absence, but she looks absolutely fantastic.

“Cat, you look amazing,” I manage to splutter out, ignoring the common greetings of hello has I causally drop my bag on the floor unceremoniously.

She runs her hands over her stomach, which looks flatter, and beams. “Really?”

“God yes,” I nod, my eyes still dancing over her newly chiseled body. It’s as though someone’s taking a cookie cutter and just cut out all the slightly lumpy parts, leaving a smooth, defined version of Cat.

“Thank you. It’s all down to Robb’s persistent enthusiasm,” she grins, tugging at the sides of her skirt with a smile still on her face.

“I…I can’t believe it,” I laugh, slowly approaching and very gently placing my hands on her waist, slowly trailing them down over her hips. “I’m speechless.”

She giggles, swishing her hair over her shoulder. “Am I that breath-taking?”

“Yes,” I reply seriously to her teasing comment. “How did this happen?”

She swats me on the chest. “I’m not that different.”

It’s true, she’s not suddenly transformed into some Naomi Campbell-esque supermodel, but she’s definitely lost some weight. I would have never thought a loss of, what, maybe ten pounds? Could make a person look so different.

“I’m glad you like it,” she says coyly, glancing down at the floor before back up at me, her blue eyes glittering flirtatiously at my own.

“I do like it,” I pause to smirk, “very much.”

I bring her forward to me with a slightly more commanding grip on her hips, feeling her lower body press into mine. She smells pretty, just like she always does. The faint lurking of perfume mixed with that sort of baby smell that all women have. Everything about her tonight is perfect.

My lips softly seek out her own, and I almost groan at the softness of them. How does she do that? Every time I kiss her, her lips area always soft. As is the rest of her skin, come to think of it. Every single little inch of it…

And I want to feel every single little inch of that soft skin tonight.

No, but this is wrong. Our relationship is practically in tatters. We can barely have a conversation without slipping into awkward silences or starting arguments. Before I left, we couldn't even kiss. Sure, we can have sex tonight, but what about tomorrow morning? When the light pours in through the window and brings with it a lot of regret and realization that we’re far too often prey to our desires? I shouldn’t sleep with her, I really shouldn’t. It would be wrong…

“Oh, Justin,” she moans, wrapping her arms around my neck and bringing me closer to her, with somewhat of an urgency. “I’ve missed you so much.”

“I’ve missed you too,” I murmur, my lips attacking her neck before I can stop them, skimming down to her collarbone. “I want you,” I whisper teasingly, letting my hand slip from her hips and gently touch the outside of her thigh, ready to cheekily go further up into her skirt.

She giggles and threads her fingers through my hair. “Well, that is most pleasing to hear.”

I laugh and quickly lift her up, wrapping those seemingly longer legs around my torso and bunching up her skirt to her hips, completely by accident, of course. We blindly stumble through the corridors, trying to find the stairs that will lead to the bedroom, her girly laughs making me even more desperate to get her to bed. Her hands run through my hair, her lips caress mine, sometimes aggresively, sometimes softly, her voice emits light chuckles as my fingers try and find her ticklish spots…I can feel her everywhere.

For this moment, I really don’t care if what we’re doing is wrong. I just know I can't stop.

Chapter 27 by Teeny
“Mm.”

The confused grumble of a noise reverberates around the quiet room a few times, before a second, more appreciative, “Mmmm…” escapes the lips of a slowly reawakening gorgeous boyfriend of mine as he comes back to consciousness.

Laughing, I place a hand on his chest. “Wakey, wakey, sleepyhead.”

He groans slightly, stretching his arms upwards. “I thought you promised to only use that sentence when speaking to a person below the age of ten or, you know, Trace.”

“Thought I’d make a special effort for you.”

“Thanks.”

Giggling again, I wrap the sheets around my chest and kneel up in the bed. Everything has gone perfectly. Justin came back home last night, jaw-dropping ensued, and then we…oh, I’m not even going to attempt to describe it, it would undermine the breath taking-ness of it all.

We’re back to normal, we must be: no one can have that amazing sex and still be a little frosty with each other. I mean really, if I had known that losing a few pounds would have such an effect on Justin I would have stopped eating Oreos to cheer myself up every time I saw that commercial about dying children in Africa. It was as though, in his eyes, I was this irresistible goddess who he just couldn’t keep his hands off and damn, has it made me feel wonderful.

Justin cracks open one eyelid wearily. “Why are you smiling?”

“Because I’m happy, silly,” I tease, crawling over him and placing a kiss on his lips. “And you are amazing.”

He smirks. “Well, that we already knew.”

“But last night you were super amazing,” I smile, dropping my lips to his again. “I’m so lucky to have you as a boyfriend.”

He doesn’t respond, but instead props himself up on his elbows and moves his back to the headboard. His eyes quickly dance over my smiling figure, still sitting on his lap, and a thoughtful frown etches itself in his brow, as though the situation in front of him needs analysis. “You’re acting very…different.”

I laugh. “What, I can’t pay you a compliment?”

“No. That’s not what you do. You insult me and make a sarcastic comment about my hair.”

Rolling my eyes, I smack his chest. “Stop being grumpy.”

“Stop being weird.”

I release another laugh, although something in my stomach begins to flutter nervously. “I’m not being weird. Maybe I’m just…changing.”

“Into what?”

I give him a quizzical look. “Um…this?”

Justin’s mouth shuts tightly, and he raises an eyebrow. “Want breakfast?” he asks, skillfully swerving our conversation around to avoid any of the approaching tension.

“Sure,” I reply happily, rolling off of him so that he can get out of bed. After he halfheartedly tugs at the sheets, his version of ‘making the bed’, I grab his hand and pull him down the stairs, relishing in the feeling of his palm against mine.

Perfect.

“I’ll put on some music,” I announce, letting go of his hand to attempt to tackle the ridiculously complicated sound system in his living room as he heads towards the kitchen, rubbing his stomach and mumbling something about eggs and bacon.

Now really, who would want to put in sixteen different CD’s at the same time? “Okay, what do we want? Some Michael Jackson? Some Jay-Z? Or what about our own Justin Timberlake?” I call out, running my fingers down the length of the CD cases Justin had anally organized in order of genres.

“Cat?” comes the confused shout of Justin; the one he makes when he can never find his keys.

“Yeah?” I reply, sifting through the CD cases, musing over putting on some Nirvana.

“Where the hell is all the food?”

No, Nirvana’s a little too heavy at ten in the morning. “Hold on a second,” I balance the cases carefully on a table in the hall, wait for a moment to see if they fall, and then hurry to the kitchen. “What do you mean?” I ask, my eyes scanning the kitchen surfaces.

“Where’s the food?” Justin repeats, one hand on the refrigerator door and the other on his hip as he stares at me enquiringly.

I shrug, blowing air into one cheek. “I just went shopping yesterday, there should be stuff in there.”

“You went shopping…” he bends down and reappears a moment later, brandishing a cabbage, “for this crap?”

“It’s actually not that bad,” I defend, pointing to the cabbage, “once you get past the taste.”

“Cat, since when did we eat cabbage? Or…” he trails off, motioning towards the fridge, brimming with the ingredients I needed to make this Caesar salad only without the horribly fattening dressing. So technically it was just going to be leaves in a bowl. “Salad-y shit.”

“Robb’s been pretty strict with just about everything I’ve put in my mouth lately,” I shrug, waiting for Justin to make some sexual innuendo referring to last night.

“I’m sure Robb’s had quite a few suggestions, but that doesn’t mean you can only live on vegetation for the rest of your life.”

“Justin, stop being so dramatic,” I roll my eyes, lightly hitting him on the shoulder as I pass him. “Just make some toast or something,” I add, tossing the bread in his direction.

“But I wanted eggs and bacon.”

“Well I want a twenty six inch waist, but we don’t all get what we want, do we?” He smiles wordlessly and tears at the plastic bag surrounding the loaf of bread. Banging the cutlery drawer shut, I grab an apple from the fruit bowl and start to peel it carefully with the knife, settling myself against the counter to start conversation. “So, tell me about LA. I got too sidetracked to ask you last night,” I blush.

He smiles again, his eyes lighting up as though he’s about to bound into a long, interesting description of his time there. “It was…fine.”

I glance up, waiting for him to elaborate. ‘Fine’ is a reliable reply when someone you don’t know asks you how you are, or when your mother asks their daily question of, “So, how was school?”. It can’t possible sum up the events of an entire month. What about one of those funny anecdotes that Justin is always full of? “You didn’t do anything interesting, didn’t meet any new people?”

“Nah, not really.” He pauses and raises his head to look at the wall, a smile coming to his lips. “Oh, there was this one time…but I think you had to be there.” With this said, he drops his gaze back down to the bread and puts two slices into the toaster, silence enveloping us again.

Even if you did have to be there, I still would have laughed heartily at anything he said just to fill the quiet in the room. “Did you see lots of your old friends?”

“Yup.” He pulls out the carton of orange juice, gives it a shake, and pours some out in two glasses, offering me one.

“Thanks.” I carefully slide the knife underneath the skin of the apple, my eyes scrutinizing Justin as he leans against the counter, looking at a spot on the floor. “How were um…the shops?” Oh, good one.

“Er…you know…the same,” he mumbles.

“And um…Chris, he’s…cool?” Now really, when was the last time I had to resort to using the word ‘cool’? 1997?

Justin shrugs, scuffing his feet together in boredom. “Yeah. Always has been.”

My items of conversation may be about as exciting as the E! True Hollywood Story of Ronald McDonald, but Justin could at least make an effort to talk to me. I would have thought that after a month I deserved something a little more than “yeah”, which is occasionally promoted to “yup”: the official word to use in awkward conversation when you can’t think of anything else to say. God, it’s like talking to some antisocial teenager.

“Is anything wrong?” I blurt out directly, my hands dropping to my side, the apple in one and the knife in the other.

He glances up in surprise, his eyebrows rising. “No, of course not.”

“You’re very quiet.”

“Well, I’m…” he shrugs, before draining the last of his orange juice in one large gulp. “Tired, I guess.” His strong arms push himself away from the counter and he places his glass in the sink, wiping his mouth with his spare hand.

“Are you sure?”

“Yup,” he nods, looking at me for a moment with a fake smile, as though expecting me to believe it and think everything’s peachy. And maybe I would have believed him, had he not used the forbidden, ‘yup’.

I pause, fear pooling my stomach. The fear that things aren’t going to be as smoothed over as I thought they were. The fear that this break hasn’t done anything but give us a brief timeout, and now we’re back in the ring again. The fear that all my hard work to make myself a better, more attractive person in an attempt to wash away the old, lying Cat has achieved nothing at all.

“Justin, if something’s wrong, just come out and say it.”

He frowns, tilting his head to the side. “What do you mean?”

I place the apple and knife on the tabletop exasperatedly, letting out a desperate breath of air. “What the hell has gotten into you? You’ve gotten more withdrawn as the morning’s progressed and we only got up ten minutes ago.”

“Cat, I haven’t done anything,” he says defensively, holding his hands up innocently.

“Exactly.”

“I’m sorry, am I supposed to be understanding these cryptic messages?”

“I’m saying, Justin, there would be more use in me attempting to engage a brick wall in conversation rather than you,” I reply coldly, folding my arms crossly over my chest. “We haven’t seen in each other in over a month, and all you can manage are monosyllabic answers whenever I attempt conversation?”

“Why are you bitchin’? What, do you want me to describe every minute detail of my trip?”

“That would be nice.”

“You’re being ridiculous,” he says simply, rolling his eyes. “What is it with your insane need to be talking all the time?”

“And what’s with your insane need to be so goddamn difficult all the time?” I shout angrily, feeling my cheeks burn in annoyance.

“Don’t turn this into an argument.”

“Don’t make it one.”

“Well what do you expect? You’re jumping down my throat first thing in the morning acting like you’re my freaking mother! Back off.”

“See? In the past two seconds, you’ve said more than you have since I saw you last night.”

“Is that the point of this?” he asks wryly, his eyes narrowing satirically. “You’re bored, so you thought you’d piss me off enough to argue?”

“All I’m saying is that I don’t understand why you’re being so cut off with me. Why can’t we just talk?”

“We were talking, until you started your stupid harassment.”

“I am not harassing you!” I exclaim defensively, my hurt being overridden by my vehement anger.

“Yes you were, Cat,” says Justin, his eyes lighting with a violent rage so suddenly I step back in fright. “You just never know when to stop.”

I try to regain my courage in the face of his dominant figure. “Excuse me for trying to make this relationship work!”

“How? By pissing me off, by never leaving me alone?”

“I just want things to be back to normal!” I shout, feeling tears creep up to my eyes. “And we’re never going to get there if we don’t even talk!”

“You think I don’t know that?!”

“I think you expect it to be easy.”

He snorts sarcastically. “Well, I’m not the one who fucked things up by keeping secrets in the first place.”

I suppress a scream of frustration. “So we’re back to this again? Because you know what, Justin? I’m getting just a little sick apologizing for it! After all, I’ve only said I’m sorry what, a million times?”

He shoots me a hateful glare of contemptuousness, as though he doesn’t have time for my dramatics.

My bravery starts to mount. “How long am I going to be punished for this, huh? Just…” I let out a groan, fighting the urge to pull at my newly-cut locks, “get the fuck over it!”

“Oh, because it’s just that simple!” His hands run through his hair agitatedly. “God Cat, it’s like you have no concept…no feeling of remorse for what you did.”

As I try to think of a reply, a sudden feeling of tiredness washes over me, and I know we’ve had this argument before. “I can’t keep apologizing for this Justin. We’ll never get anywhere if all we do is dwell on this.” I breathe deeply, trying to calm myself down enough to speak rationally. “If there’s one thing I’ve learned from everything that’s happened, it’s that we have to talk to each other.”

“Maybe now you can feel how I felt,” he says, bringing his voice down to the same deathly tone as mine. “For over a fucking month, Cat, you kept things from me!”

“By doing it to me do you think that you’re making things any better?” I retort, throwing my hand up at him to state the obvious. “Don’t try and scare me with your twisted form of reverse psychology.”

“I’m already scared enough on my own,” he says spitefully. “You think I don’t wonder whether we can ever recover from this? You think I like not being able to talk to you any more?” He voice rises with every sentence, until it’s almost a shout. “You think I don’t worry I might not love you any more!”

For a second, the room absorbs utter silence. The honks of a few cars on the street below and the general buzz of New York begin to faintly drift through the kitchen’s open window in the stillness, and I remind myself that this city is never silent. Everyone down there, too busy with their own lives to notice that mine has just been turned upside down. No one cares I’ve just have my heart broken into thousands of little jagged pieces.

A cry builds up in my throat as my lips trembles, but I refuse to break the stillness with a sob.

“What?” I choke out in an oddly calm sounding voice.

He glances up at me, a scared look in his eyes, as though he didn’t really mean to blurt those words out. “I…I just don’t know about us any more, Cat.”

Before I can help myself, a wail of grief passes my lips, and I quickly clamp a hand over my mouth.

Justin’s eyes lift to the window, his brow furrowing, as though he is confused. “We were stupid…so stupid to think we could ever repair ourselves and get things back to how they were.”

“But, but we can--”

He continues, as though he hadn’t heard me at all, still captivated by the still blue sky picture pouring through the window panes. “We’ve never really known where our relationship was going, Cat…that’s what made it so exciting,” he laughs slightly. “But I think I always knew in the back of my mind that it was special.”

He turns from the window, fixing his eyes on me. “That we would probably spend the rest of our lives together.”

His voice sends chills down my spine. I feel as though I’m suspended above a cliff on a very thin thread, and with each word Justin says, the thread becomes weaker and weaker. Eventually, it’ll just snap.

“I’m sorry, but I just don’t feel like that any more.”

And I fall.

“Why not?” I manage to croak out through my dry throat, my hands balling into little fists and clutching at the cotton material of the T-shirt hugging my body--Justin’s T-shirt.

He shrugs. “You’re not how you used to be. You’ve changed.”

I try to turn away to hide the sobs overpowering my body, but nothing can be done to shield the emotions racing through my body so suddenly. Justin respectfully looks at his feet, blinking furiously.

After a few seconds of choked cries, I manage to compose myself enough to turn around and face him with renewed anger. “How did you figure that one out? You’ve not even seen me for a month!”

“But even before then,” he explains uncomfortably, not meeting my eye. “With the whole secretive, detached thing…and now the whole losing weight kick, you’re just not the same.”

“That is completely unfair!” I exclaim, folding my arms across my chest as a few tears leak down my face. “I lost weight for you.”

Justin looks up at me, shock written on his face. “What? Why the hell would you do that?”

I let out a bitter laugh, shrugging excessively. “I don’t know. To make it up to you for everything that had happened? To make you want to sleep with me again?”

He frowns at me, his brow creased in uncertainty. Slowly, he shakes his head. “That’s exactly what I mean. The old Cat would never have done that. She wouldn’t have sacrificed herself just for me; she would have slapped anyone that would.”

“Oh, but the new Justin sure as hell took advantage of her last night, didn’t he?” I inject angrily, humiliation mingling with shame inside of me. “You didn’t have the same moral protests then, did you!”

“Cat, this isn't easy for me either!" he says heatedly, scowling at me. “But one of us has to admit it isn't working."

"Then how come last night--"

"Last night was a mistake. Neither of us were thinking clearly; if we had been, then we wouldn’t have just rushed into it like we did.”

“Over a month’s wait wasn’t enough for you, Timberlake?” I ask bitterly, tasting the tears on my lips. “God, you really hate me, don’t you?”

“No,” he says sternly, making a move forward, as though he wants to console me in some way. I step back. “I do love you Cat, God you have to believe me when I say that. It’s just…what you’ve become, well I…I barely know you any more. And you don't know me.”

My breath comes in short gasps. “I changed for you, so that you would find me more--”

“I don’t mean physically,” he brushes off impatiently, shaking his head. “Before all of this, you would never have let what happened last night happen.”

“Oh, so now I’m a whore?” He groans and shakes his head, but I continue before he does. “Don’t patronize me, Justin. If this is over, then just tell me it is. Don’t bullshit me into hoping that one day we’ll get back together.”

He pinches the bridge of his nose tiredly. “I don’t know. We’re just so…messy, nothing makes sense like it used to.”

“You’re giving us up because we’re messy?” I bark incredulously, the soft tears running down my cheeks contrasting with the harshness of my voice. “But we’ve always been ‘messy’!”

Justin’s eyes shine with tears, and he draws a trembling breath. “We just don’t fit together any more.”

I bite down on my bottom lip firmly, feeling the sting of pain momentarily help me forget the tearing feeling in my chest. “Well, it sounds like you’ve already pretty much made your decision.”

Trying to preserve any dignity I might still have, I brush the tear tracks from my face with the back of my hand, straighten my back, and walk out of the room, hearing Justin call after me.

“Cat,” his fingers close around my wrist as I climb the stairs, tugging me back down to the landing. “Look, I think that all happened a little fast. Let’s not be rash about this…”

“Let’s,” I reply firmly, snatching my arm away. “As you’ve said Justin, you don’t have faith in our relationship, our future, or me. What’s the point in wasting both of our time?”

I want to make him hurt. If only I could make him feel half of the searing pain wrenching through my body, then maybe he would try and take back all the hateful words he has said.

His hand falls, cutting the last strand of our relationship, and I walk upstairs confidently, every moment expecting to hear his voice calling me back down again, apologizing and telling me that he loves me...but he doesn't.

I pack my bags.

Chapter 28 by Teeny

Ed lives on one of those New York streets that you never see in the movies. It’s not the expensive, ritzy area of the Upper East Side of Manhattan that Justin inhabits, nor the rough, course area of the Bronx. It was just some sort of middle ground in between, comfortable, but still the sort of place that has potholes in the road and a cheap mock-Italian diner on the corner.

It’s not the gloriously shiny, perfected penthouse that Justin lives in, but it’s the only place I can go.

Thankfully, in this quieter section of Brooklyn, I don’t have to battle to cross the road in the midst of hundreds of cars. Keeping my head down to hide my clearly tearstained face from the couples walking down the dull gray sidewalk hand in hand and the confident New York individuals that you just know wouldn’t give you the time of day even if you were on the ground bleeding to death, I quickly run across the street, the few bags I managed to hurriedly pack banging against my leg irritatingly.

I push the button of the intercom to buzz Ed impatiently, feeling suppressed tears welling up behind the huge pair of dark sunglasses I had donned to disguise the redness of my pupils. Thank goodness it’s sunny today.

“Y’ello?”

“Hey, it’s me,” I mumble, chewing my bottom lip to calm myself; no matter how distraught I am, I think I can spare the guy sweeping the street a dramatic outburst.

“Cat? That you?”

Clearly my voice has suffered from the tears. “Yeah,” my voice cracks, and I quickly wipe beneath my eyes under the glasses. “Can I stay with you for a while?”

“What?”

I spare a glance for the man sweeping the sidewalk, who had stopped and was staring at me with his head rested on the top of his broom. “Can I just come up?”

“Oh yeah, sure.”

The buzz lets me in, and the steps leading to the top floor apartment, which is more a loft than anything, pass quickly. Ed stands at his doorway, his skinny, somewhat lanky frame dressed in a stripy shirt and black pants, his entire demeanor so different from Justin’s super cool, hip manner. His dark brown hair is curly like Justin’s is, only a little more “poofy” as Justin might term it. And his eyes, confused and brown, are like Justin’s were, confused but blue, as he told me he didn’t love me anymore.

Without saying a word, Ed takes my bags from me, wraps an arm around my shoulder, and leads me into the apartment.

I sink into his old brown couch, one that literally swallows you up at the slightest weight in an oddly comforting way. Surrounding me are his numerous plaques of achievement, celebrating his intelligence. The furniture is relatively minimal, with a simple couch and armchair around a small television, miniscule compared to Justin’s goodness-knows-how-many-inches-wide Plasma. The kitchen is nothing more than a box, with a stove and a few cupboards and the tiniest refrigerator known to man, Ed’s bedroom has one double bed crammed into it, along with a bedside table and a rather intimidating bookcase…but that’s just about it, that‘s the whole apartment. No spacious cooking space, no television emerging from the ceiling, no designer paint (yes, there is such a thing) coating the tall walls and rich wood surfaces.

No Justin.

“So,” Ed’s voice breaks my thoughts and a glass of water is waved in front of my face.

“Thanks,” I murmur, taking it with a shaky grip and unsteadily bringing the glass to my lips. After taking a sip, I place it on the coffee table covered with newspapers and books with interesting pages turned down at the corner, as well as peeling off my sunglasses and tiredly throwing them on the surface as Ed sits on the armchair to my left.

“God,” Ed mutters upon seeing my pale, completely un-made up face. I can only imagine how terrible I look; without even a flick of mascara and red-rimmed eyes, it’s no secret something is terribly wrong.

“It didn’t work.”

He frowns. “What didn’t work?”

I raise my gaze to meet his. “The plan. The plan to ingeniously change myself to enhance my broken relationship. It didn’t work.”

“I see,” he says, resting his elbows on his knees and nodding thoughtfully. “What happened?”

My lower lips shakes, and I can already feel the tears rising in my throat. A silence draws out as Ed waits patiently, never motioning to interrupt me or hurry up an answer, before I finally reply. “He just…doesn’t love me anymore.”

I collapse into the burrow of my hands, unstoppable tears wetting my hands as Ed moves to sit next to me, rubbing my back comfortingly.

“Last night was amazing,” I cry, the pitch of my voice going haywire because of the lack of control that comes with crying. “And this morning, things seemed perfect, just perfect, but then…God, it just happened so quickly, you know?”

Ed remains silent, not rushing me or inserting a comment, but just sitting, rubbing my back, without complaint. I don’t even stop to think this doesn’t make an inkling of sense to him, but nevertheless he doesn’t say a word.

“I mean, I just…I just can’t believe that this morning I was with someone I love more than, well, anything,” I splutter helplessly, trying to wipe at the never-ending stream of tears. “And now…I’m not. I’m…not.”

No matter how stupid or obvious it may sound to verbally state that as a fact, giving actual recognition like this is just…painful.

“If only I hadn’t pushed him to talk with me and act normal, or…or if only he had just fucking talked instead of giving me some stupid silent treatment!” The anger fails as soon as it starts. “How could this happen?”

Ed pulls me towards him, and my face instinctively buries itself into the crook of his neck, letting out a muffled wail that comes from the pit of my very shattered heart.

I don’t stop crying for hours.

----------------------------------------------

“Okay, so you don’t know where your belt is, what about your shoes?”

Why have I never noticed that Trace’s hair goes sorta…kinda, like…lopsided on one side. Some gel would really just spruce that right up…

“I’duno.”

“What?” he leans forward, straining to understand me.

“I do not knooow,” I repeat slowly, the words feeling like mush in my mouth as Trace goes slightly out of focus in my vision.

Through the haze, I just barely make out a puzzled expression. “How much have you had to drink?”

I wave my arms about haphazardly, trying to tell him to back off. “I dunno…like, like, like, a few…dozen.”

“Oh Jesus,” he mutters, placing his hands under my arms and roughly pulling me off the couch onto my feet. “This is just like the old days.”

“What? No, no, no, no…no!” I shout out, although the words sounds far less crisp than I wish they did. “I’m mush-more grown up and mature and adult and grown up.”

“Of course you are…shit Justin, did you lose your shirt too!” Trace exclaims, frowning at the bare chest beneath my jacket in bewilderment.

“I gave it all to that gay,” I mumble, hooking my arm around his neck as we slowly stumble towards the staircase.

“That what?”

“Guy, I meant guy…”

“What guy?”

“The guy lying down on the er, on the er, on the…” I stop walking and rub my eye in confusion, trying to swathe through the befuddled information in my head to find the right word. “Sidewalk! The guy on the sidewalk.”

“So let me guess,” Trace grunts as my legs give way and I suddenly tightened my desperate grip on his neck. “There’s one well dressed hobo walking around the streets of New York as we speak, right?”

Is that right? It sounds about right. But I’m not sure, I just, I just can’t figure it out, my brain won‘t work… “Mmm.”

“Okay Justin, that’s it,” says Trace sternly, suddenly unhooking my arm from his neck and letting me stagger unsteadily for a moment, before finding the safety of a wall to lean against. “What the hell is wrong with you?”

“I think…I think…I’m a little drunk.”

“A little?” he snaps. “I’ve not seen you this bad since that Grammy party four years ago. And I don’t need to remind you how that ended…”

My eyes squint in bewilderment at him.

He rolls his eyes, making a move to aid my walking again. “In short, you tried to hit on Joey. Now, let’s get you to bed.”

“Ishnot my fault!”

“Yes it is your fault, Justin,” Trace quips, shaking his head as he reluctantly throws my arm over his shoulder. “Please don’t tell me you’ve left Cat stranded on her own in some sleazy nightclub.”

Cat.

Cat.

Cat.

The name echoes in my clouded mind. I’d very almost forgotten about her. Her, Cat, my ex girlfriend. Another discard on the ever-growing pile of old girlfriends who confused me until the point of total anguish.

If someone had told me say, three months ago, that I would be breaking up with Cat, I would have first told them to stop being ridiculous, and then imagined the heart wrenching agony that would ensue from separating myself from her. This is a woman that I could easily see myself marrying, I’d never met anyone like her, we were meant to be, bla, bla, bla.

So why did I feel such an overwhelming feeling of relief when I told her I didn’t love her anymore? I watched her walk out of that door with my own two eyes, and I honestly didn’t think to stop her. It was hard, but it was the best thing for both of us.

I know it’s an overused analogy, but if a person is bitten by a snake, they suck the poison out. Surely it’s the same in life: if someone has become a surplus of negativity on you and your life, you cut them out of it, right? That’s what I was trying to do with Cat. Instead of being a ray of sunshine, if you’ll excuse the overt cheesiness of that term, she had become a dark, sordid corner of my life that inevitably caused me strain. She’s my poison, so I had to suck her out.

It made sense at the time, I swear.

As Trace hauls me up the fourth step, my cracked lips try to form the words. “She’s gone.”

“Gone…” he grunts, pulling me up to the fifth, “where?”

“Away.”

Trace groans and hauls my limp body up another stair, letting out an exasperated breath through his gritted teeth. “That’s lots of help, thanks.”

Just when it seems Trace will finally buckle under my weight, we reach the top of the staircase and he drags me towards my bedroom. Collapsing on the bed and never moving seems the best bet, so I do so, a pounding pain erupting between my eyes.

“Seriously Justin, where’s Cat?” Trace asks distractedly as he wrestles my jacket off me; a task much hindered by my reluctance to move any of my heavy limbs. “It’s not safe for her to be out there on her own.”

For a moment, my impending hangover ceases and I muster the strength to raise my hands to cover my stinging eyes shamefully. The realization of what I’ve just done comes falling down on me painfully; my stomach knots up, tears beg to be released from my eyes, and the hangover returns with full force.

“Justin…” Vaguely, Trace’s voice makes it’s way through my clogged mind. “Justin, what’s wrong? Are you crying, man?”

“No,” I try to force out, but the thickness of my voice is an easy sign of an impending meltdown.

He pulls my hands from my face and his concerned brown eyes float into my vision.

“Do you feel sick? You’ll be alright, dude, we got some Advil in the cabinet--”

“No, it’s not that…” I mutter, pulling myself to a sitting position despite the agonies that it causes me to do so. “It’s me and Cat.”

The bed sinks beside me as Trace sits down on the soft downy blankets of the bed and awkwardly places a hand on my back. He’s never been good at comforting, but bless his little socks for trying.

“We’re over.” I sober up instantly, the reality developing instantly before my very eyes at the harsh sound of the words out loud.

He makes an odd choking noise of disbelief. “But-but…what?” he splutters.

I almost smile at his reaction, but no sooner have the corners of my mouth lifted then my eyes release a few tears, salty reminders of the burning misery in the pit of my chest.

“Things were weird, we fell into an argument and then…it just sort of happened, I can’t explain it.”

“When?” Trace says in an aghast voice barely above a whisper, still shocked at the news. Will everyone be this surprised? Probably; me and Cat were impenetrable, the golden couple that everyone wanted to be. Now, we’re just…two separate people with no connection to link us together at all.

“This morning.” I rub my moist eyes and try to sit up straight, still trying to disconnect myself from the liquor pooling around in my stomach. “Because you see, well, er…”

“Come on man, you’ll feel better if you talk about it.”

I send him a smile sideways, wondering where on earth I’d be without him. “Last night, we sort of, well, we had a pretty passionate night.” Trace nods wordlessly. “And that’s been the first time in ages, because you know, I just haven’t wanted to touch her since everything that happened.”

“Then what made last night different?”

“I don’t know,” I sigh, my shoulders slumped. “I think it was just that I hadn’t seen her in ages, I haven’t been with anyone in even longer, and, oh man, she looks great. She’s lost a ton of weight, by the way.”

“Really?” he says in surprise, his eyebrows lifting.

“Yeah, and all of those things combined…I just couldn’t help myself.” My eyes travel over the rather bland beige color of the wallpaper, perked up by photos proudly put in frames of me and the guys, me and Trace, and of course, me and Cat.

“But then this morning…you know how the morning light just makes things seem so much different?”

“You’re talking to the King of one-night-stands here,” he smirks, nudging me in the side.

I smile weakly. “It was kind of like that. Suddenly, it was like Cat’s weight loss and her happiness just seemed so…wrong. As though she had morphed from my Cat, the sadistically funny one, into this carbon copy of all the other girls I’ve dated.”

I massage my forehead. “I can’t really call it wrong, because there wasn’t anything ‘wrong’ about the way she is now, but…she just went against everything that I loved about her so much.” I fall back, reacquainting my spine with the blue covers on my bed. “So I told her that I didn’t love her any more.”

“And don’t you?”

Don’t I? Can I honestly look at Ms Catherine Saunders and say with faith that I don’t feel any of the violent love that I have for a year?

No. But I can look at the Cat I met last night and that has existed for the past few months and say confidently, no, I don’t love her.

“I--” My voice falters. “I don’t know.”

“Shit Justin, this is really…” he trails off and runs a hand through his short brown curls.

“Fucked up?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, so was me and Cat’s relationship.” A tiny drop of confidence dribbles into my bloodstream. “Yeah…yeah, you know what? I was right in breaking things off with her. That’s what I had to do to move on. Cut the bad out of my life. Make things…not messy again.”

“That’s fucking bullshit.”

My head snaps to the side in surprise, my brain sloshing around painfully. “What?”

Gone is the sympathetic tone he rarely adopts, and back is Trace’s customary aggressive manner. “I’m sorry, but you’re really kidding yourself if you think for one second that Cat is some sort of blemish on your otherwise perfect life.”

“What?” I try to erect my back defiantly to face the challenge of Trace’s menacing face, but find it harder than usual. Of course, the dizziness is back.

“Look at yourself, Justin. Why did you go out and get shitfaced if this was such a good idea?”

“Because it was a difficult thing to do, as the right thing often is! Sure, it would have been easier to stay with her, but come on man, you saw how screwed things were between us.”

“So? Things have always been screwy between you two. It’s your fucking quirk. How could you give up so easily?”

“You’re being stupid,” I reply, standing up on my jelly-like legs that could give way any second. “And anyway, you don’t know how things really were.”

“I had a pretty good idea,” he says, following me as I approach the bathroom, one hand firmly glued on the wall to guide me. “And yeah, things were bad, but you two love each other like crazy. Don’t pretend that’s not true.”

“We used to,” I correct, trying to spin around but ultimately stumbling pathetically. “But I know for sure that I don’t feel for her the way I used to. What was I supposed to do, jerk her around until I got bored and broke her heart even more?”

“You’re a mess,” he says scornfully, eyeing me up and down. “I don’t suppose you spared a thought for Cat, did you? Where did she go?”

“I don’t know!” That sinking feeling that you only get after you realized you’ve done something wrong descends on me, but I roughly push it away. “She just packed some shit and left.”

“And you didn’t stop her?”

“She wanted to leave!”

“Did she really?” says Trace sarcastically. “I know for a fact that girl will be crying her eyes out right this second over you, Justin. She really, really loved you. Why else would she change the way she’s been for her entire life? It was all for you!”

I stagger through the door into the white tiled haven of the bathroom, firmly shutting and bolting the door behind me to block out Trace and his glaringly real words.

“Just get away from me Trace, you don’t understand anything!” I shout drunkenly through the white wooden barrier of the door. But by God, he does. He seems to understand things better than I do.

“Fine, then you can deal with your fucking hangover yourself. I’m going to call Cat and find out if she’s okay, because you clearly don’t give a shit.”

Sitting down on the rim of the bathtub, my nails cling onto the edge unsteadily as tears helplessly fall down my cheeks.

I did what was best for both of us, I’m sure of it.

---------------------------------------------------------

“Cat.”

Ed softly nudges me, waking me from my semi-slumberous state. “What? Yeah?” His face hovers above me from my position sprawled across the couch, half awake and half asleep, vaguely hearing the faint notes of an episode of Friends playing in the background.

“Your purse is vibrating,” he replies, handing me my bag and placing a soft kiss on my forehead.

I smile at him and sit up, rummaging through my purse until I finally find my ringing blue cell phone. Ed slyly sits on the armchair and pretends to be interested in “The One With The Ick Factor”, trying to hide the fact he’s secretly hoping that Justin has decided to call to say he didn’t mean a word he said and realizes he made a terrible mistake and wants me back and will love me forever.

You and me both, kid.

I flip the phone open whilst rubbing my eye and yawning, feeling a slight headache coming on, no doubt from my relentless crying earlier.

The second I see Trace’s name flash on the screen, the phone’s lid is shut with a quick snap and I throw it back in my purse, losing it amongst the sea of crap in there.

“Trace,” I reply, before Ed’s mouth can form the words to ask. “I’m not answering it.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t know,” I murmur, putting my purse on the floor and standing up. I pull up my jeans and pause, my fingers hooked in the belt loops. “I just…no, I can’t speak to him.”

“Okay,” nods Ed, in a way that makes me feel that it really is okay for me to feel this way.

I stumble towards the bathroom, still slightly lethargic from my sort of sleep. Catching sight of myself in the mirror, I almost gag at the horribly pale, tired looking face staring back at me. My newly-cut hair has lost its bounce, and hangs rather limply past my shoulders, looking as dejected as I feel.

I snort as I rinse my hands, eyeing the brown locks that I was just so happy with yesterday. It was all a waste, wasn’t it? Even if I had looked like the exotic lovechild of Brad Pitt and Halle Berry, Justin still would have broken up with me.

God, when will saying that feel normal?

“How are you feeling?” Ed asks as I return to the living room, having tied up my hair with the elastic band on my wrist.

I shrug. “Shell-shocked?”

He smiles as I collapse back onto the sofa, my eyes glazing over as I watch the Friends episode, before his voice floats through my hearing.

“Maybe this is a good thing?”

I slowly turn to face him. “Excuse me?”

“Bear with me before you exude the rushes of incredulity,” he says, and a tiny smile twigs at the corners of my mouth. “I know right now, things couldn’t seem worse.”

“Correct.”

“And you physically feel as thought someone is gashing your heart in two.”

“Correct.”

“But trust me Cat, you’re going to be fine,” he says in a light tone, as though it’s wonderfully clear.

“Ed, I don’t think you quite understand,” I reply shakily. “Justin was involved in every aspect of my life. He was like…glue. He kept everything together.”

“Honey, that’s not true. You can survive perfectly well without him.”

“How?” I ask frantically. “It’s like having three quarters of my life suddenly lopped off. There’s a big…gap in the shape of Justin.”

“Look, I understand that he was an integral part of your life,” his voice rises to overbear my interruptions, “but surely you can see that that was a fatal misjudgment on your behalf?”

I fall silent, frowning in confusion.

“You’ve said it yourself; that you’d become too dependent on your boyfriend, that you needed to separate yourself a little from him.”

“Yes, a little, not entirely.”

“But you managed without him for what, twenty years before he came along? You can do it again.”

I shuffle uncomfortably. “I guess.”

“You will. ” He moves off the armchair and kneels before me, putting his hands on my knees affectionately. “You’ve got everything going for you; you’re young, smart, beautiful, and you live in one the best cities in the world to use these things to your advantage. Why not take this as an opportunity to reacquaint yourself with all the things that you’ve perhaps ignored since you’ve been with Justin? Like your career, or just growing up as a person.”

I sigh and shake my head. “I mean, I know you’re right, of course you’re right, but…it’s just so, so hard to imagine myself without him. He’s not going to be there when I wake up in the morning, he’s not going to be there when I got to bed at night…”

“Cat sweetheart, how old are you?”

“Twenty two.”

“Exactly,” he says firmly, patting my knees before shifting onto the couch beside me. “You’re so young.”

“So?”

“So you can bounce back after this. It’s not as though you’re this forty five year old woman who had her last shot at love. You’ve got years of meeting new guys, falling for them, and then breaking up with them, and then starting all over again.” He sighs, and glances at the floor. “I know we’ve not known each other long Cat, but I really do think you’re an amazing woman.”

“Then why did Justin break up with me?” I ask desperately.

“Something went wrong with your relationship, and you guys couldn’t fix it. That’s just the way it is.”

“But I tried so hard!” My voice shows signs of my slipping into hysteria again, and Ed quickly interrupts with his smooth rationality.

“I know you did, and I commend you, but you’re just going to have to come to terms with the fact that…well…maybe you and Justin just weren’t meant to be.”

His words hit a nerve, and I quickly stand up, eager to get away from him. “No, no, you never saw us together, we were perfect!”

He stands up also. “Cat, don’t get upset, I’m just trying to make you see that you can’t let this drag you down. You should use this as a chance to just focus on yourself for now.”

I sigh deeply again, feeling the tiredness ease its way into my bones. “Maybe.”

“Cat, you’ve been through a hell of a lot lately; more than most people deal with in a whole decade. But you’re single now, you’ve cut all the strings. Time to start afresh.”

“That’s what I was doing by going to the gym and making myself ‘hot’.”

“Yes, but this time it’s not for someone else, it’s for you.”

------

“Really, I’ll just sleep on the couch,” I insist, holding the folded clothes I had worn during the day in my hands, as I had changed into my pajamas right after refusing dinner because I just couldn’t bear the thought of food. Odd, because it used to be such a comfort.

“Of course not, it’s either my bed or I’ll book you into a hotel.”

“You’re a good guy, Ed,” I smile, squeezing his hand gratefully. “At least sleep in the bed with me.”

“One day and you’re already in bed with another man? Tut, tut, Missy.”

I laugh for the first time since I left Justin’s apartment, a real shock to my throat, which had spent all day being congested with tears. I place my pile of clothes on the desk chair and start preparing Ed's bed.

“Did you call Trace back?”

“You think I should?” I ask, fluffing a pillow between my hands.

Ed nods as he pulls back the covers. “Yeah. I mean, it’s not really fair on him to be shut out. He probably just wants to know that you’re okay.”

“I suppose,” I shrug, dropping the pillow and heading to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

It never occurred to me before, but breaking up with Justin is effectively breaking up with Trace. No matter how close we are, and goodness knows how close me and Trace have become, there’s no way in hell Trace could ever pass the loyalty he has for Justin over to me. And I don’t blame him. I’ll miss the little guy, though.

It’s surprising how quickly one can come to terms with something. Humans are more resilient than we give ourselves credit for. I only broke up with Justin what, fifteen hours ago? And already I’m accepting the fact that I may never even see him again. The pain is still there, I’m not going to guess how long it’s going to be there for, but at least I don’t have any hope that we’ll get back together. How can we? After all the things we’ve said, and after everything that’s happened between us in the past few months…no, it’s almost impossible.

But I think I’ve always been like this. I’ve always accepted things rather than spending too long pining for them to be different. That’s what I was doing this past month in my relationship with Justin, wasn’t it? And it proved to be a waste of time. I’m sick of wishing things would go back to the way they were, when they so clearly never will.

After putting my toothbrush back on the rack, I splash a little water on my face, take a painkiller for the horrific headache pounding in my temple, and go back to the bedroom where Ed lies in the bed, reading some French book.

I crawl in beside him and pull the blankets up to my chin, eager to just drift away in to dream world to ignore the problems in my current one.

“Thanks for letting me stay with you, Ed,” I say, my eyes fixed on the ceiling.

He glances sideways, folding down his page before putting his book down on the floor. “That’s okay Cat. You know you’re welcome here for as long as you want.” He reaches over to switch off the lamp, dropping the room into darkness.

My eyes are still transfixed to the ceiling, as though I’m expecting it to open and just pour out a magic solution to make everything better. Noises from the street outside waft through the open window; a car or two passes below, there’s even the shouts of a drunken idiot stumbling down the street. I can’t help but wonder where Justin is, what he’s doing, how he’s feeling. I don’t think I’ll ever sleep again without thinking those things.

“Ed?”

“Yeah?” he shifts slightly beside me, turning over to face me.

“I really loved him.”

The sobs begin to invade my body, and even Ed’s comforting arm around can’t console the horrible dying feeling inside of me.
Chapter 29 by Teeny
 

There are days for mirrors.  You know, special occasions: prom, for example, when you’re wearing a gorgeous dress that fits you perfectly and you’re mom’s spent the whole day teasing your hair to perfection and the only thing you want to do is gaze at your reflection and wish you looked like that everyday. 

Then there are days where, if you happen to catch the hideous sight of yourself in any sort of reflective surface, you might just spontaneously combust in the effort to avoid the stupefying horror of your own face.

Needless to say, today is one of the latter, as has every day of the past two weeks been.  Every day since That Day.   

My complexion has paled so that the splattering of freckles and bruised bags underneath my eyes are highlighted for the world to see.  After washing my newly cut hair, I realized I had made the somewhat catastrophic mistake of getting the type of haircut that, when styled properly, looks fantastic, framing my face perfectly and complementing my features.  However, when left to dry naturally, draped over a cushion whilst watching a rerun of Friends, it curls into a messy Afro not entirely unlike an unkempt garden bush.

For the past two weeks I have almost completely foregone makeup.  Remember the days of childhood, when you could leave the house without a lick of artificial enhancement on your cheeks and people still thought you were cute?  Where did those days go?  I specifically saw the guy packing my groceries at the store vividly recoil as I tied my hair up and revealed more of my unmade face. 

“Cat dear, do you want some eggs?  I can make ‘em poached or in the form of Benedict’s or…poached.”

Poor Ed.  Despite being as emotionally stunted as the average heterosexual man, he’s trying his dandiest to bring out the stereotype in his gay self by cooking meals and buying tubs of ice cream that go uneaten and trying to gently prise me open about the situation by repeatedly asking, “Are you sure you don’t want to talk about it?”.  

But there’s little he can do.  Him, or anyone else.  I had to endure the usual embarrassment of admitting to family and friends (the few that Justin and I didn’t share, that is) that we had broken up, dodging the customary, “Aw, why did y’all do that then?” with an uncomfortable, “Um, yes, well…people just, er, grow apart…”.  I admitted to my little sister Dawn that I had been “dumped”, but she just said it was his loss and his last album wasn’t even that good, so she didn’t know why he was so cocky.

Ed seemed surprised that I spread the news of our relationship-meltdown so quickly, assuming I was keeping the option open in case we got back together again.  But no, procrastination is a flaw that I need to correct, and I’ve decided to be honest with myself for the first time in months.  Justin and I are over, the longer I spend craving him and wishing for reconciliation the harder it’ll be to accept it when that time doesn’t come.

“You’re giving up very easily,” Ed had said, staring at me with a dubious look across his cutely nerdy features.

“Ed, there’s no point in messing around here; I have to get over him. If I don’t admit to myself that we’re definitely over now, then I never will.”

“Still,” he said uncertainly, “you’re being very…swift about it.  I thought you’d go through the normal proceedings of emotionally charged phone calls and begs to get back together.”

I had shrugged.  “And where would that get me?”

But I can’t lie to myself that much; no matter how straight to the point I’ve been about it, my mental state is still in a frenzied torment over the loss of Justin.  I still call out for him, like when I cut myself while shaving my legs (I don’t even know why I was bothering; it’s not as though I have a man to impress now) and instinctively said, “Oh shit…Justin?!”

The nights are even worse.  Ed’s bed is almost too cramped for space to think (that’s what you get for trying to squeeze a six foot man and a rather chubby young woman into a barely-more-than-a-single bed), but somehow I still manage it.  The humidity of the summer keeps me awake at night, staring at the ceiling and feeling an utter emptiness chip away at my heart as I think about Justin, think about Trace, think about how my life enjoyed a period of sheer happiness.

I try to reason with myself—after the true bliss of the six months of our perfect relationship, it only seems fair that I have it taken away from me.  Maybe somewhere else someone just like me is being pulled from the darkness of unhappiness into the lightness of love, and I hope for his or her sake they enjoy every minute of it while it lasts.

My mom called it “a prolonged honeymoon period”, insinuating that our feelings for each other were perhaps not love, but rather a really good friendship fuelled by an attraction for each other.  I’ve given up even trying to figure out the past few months, nothing makes sense, nor do I particularly want it to.  Sometimes I wonder if I was ever even in love with Justin Timberlake at all.

That’s when I know I’m not procrastinating, but I’m sure as hell lying to myself.

--------------------------------
  

“Liar.”

“No, really, we were together almost a year.”

Anna raises her eyebrow.  “You kept that quiet.  Very quiet; how come it wasn’t all over the papers and shit?”

I shrug.  “I was quite far out of the limelight, people were more interested in who Usher was dating.”

“Well, it explains some of these lyrics,” she laughs, casting her eye over the true words of a broken heart angrily scrawled onto a piece of paper.  “These are very…raw.”

“Too raw?”

She nods, flipping out her cell phone and glancing at a message—one of several hundred she seems to receive every hour.  “I’ve got a friend who’s really good with these sort of lyrics…Martin Fuertes, heard of him?”

I shake my head as Anna shoves her phone back into her back and swings it over her shoulder, running her fingers through her bright-as-Barney purple hair.  Even at, goodness, it must be forty-five years of age, Anna still dyes her hair extremist colors and wears anything she damn well pleases.  She’s one of those kooky characters with square shaped red glasses who always looks like she’s just stumbled out of some vintage shop in the back streets of New York with her eccentric clothing.  Odd, that she should be such a successful producer in the pop, R’n’B area when quite frankly she looks like an aged hippy, and, by the way, has managed to color her hair twice in the past week (the last color was apple green, in case you’re asking).

“He’s this bomb of a songwriter, worked with Elton John back in the day and he’s getting back into it now.  Do you want me to take these to him, have him take a look?” she asks, her wrinkled eyes staring at me inquisitively behind her glasses as she brandishes the song sheet.

The lyrics are a written account of the anaesthetizing pain that I’ve endured lately, as though I’ve simply cut out my heart and dumped it on a piece of paper.  Deeply, deeply personal, to say the least, it’s hardly the sort of thing I want shown to just whoever thinks they can match words to a tune.

But I don’t give a shit: those lyrics are dead to me, as is Ms Catherine Saunders.

“Yeah, go ahead, I don’t care,” I mutter, making a point to do an aimless swivel in my office chair to hide the frown creeping onto my face.

“Sure?” she questions, raising a pencilled eyebrow.

“’Course,” I bend over the desk with a pen, trying to look as though I’m writing an important correction on a song sheet, when really I’ve just written Justin Timberbored in capital letters.  “I’ll see you on Wednesday, okay?”

“Sure thing,” she says, before leaving the room in a cloud of sunflower smelling perfume.

I pause in my writing, applying unnecessary pressure on the pen, as though I’m about to break it in two in my anger.  Yes, that’s where I’m at now, that’s the stage I’ve been promoted to after piercing pain: anger.

As any guy does, I had the usual few days after That Day drowning my sorrows and spending time alone in my room.  Through my alcohol dazed mind, I think it at one point occurred to me that perhaps I should pick up the phone and try and get in touch with Cat.  To check she was okay, to see where she was, to try and sort of what was in fact a very messy end.  Relationships don’t usually end in a bang like that; they peter out slowly, almost torturously, you get used to the idea of not being with them anymore.

With Cat, there was no forewarning; suddenly she was just out of my life, even though I had been the one to throw her out.

So, there I was, clearing away the surprising number of empty bottles that had gathered over the days, and just as I was about to reach for my phone and type in the number my fingers were so accustomed to, it rang for me.

“Hello?” I had answered, a whisper of hope in my ear suggesting that it might be Cat.  We used to do stuff like that all the time, as though we were psychically connected; I would call her, only to learn she had just been dialing my number, or I would turn around in the store and see her there, when we didn’t even know the other was shopping.  

“Hey Justin, Ryan here.”

I tried to hide my disappointment.  Ryan is this Australian friend of ours who lives in the city, more Cat’s friend than mine to be honest.  “He-ey,” I replied, my voice cracking uncertainly.  What the hell did he want?

“Just wanted to call and say I’m sorry to hear about you and Cat,” he said casually, as though he was apologising for not being able to attend a cookout I was having.

“What?” I had replied, astonished. 

“Yeah, Cat told me the other day, and I just wanted to say I’m really sorry, if there’s anything I can do…”

He had trailed off uncomfortably, probably unprepared for my muted silence.  I was shocked; I wouldn’t even have known how to respond if I had wanted to.  How would this guy, who as far as I know wasn’t exactly bosom buddies with Cat, know about something so personal?  Why had she decided to go public with our break-up when my own mother didn’t even have inkling that we “might be having problems”?

So…it was over?  It must be, if she was telling people not in our immediate circle of friends that that was the case.  But…we hadn’t even spoken, don’t all couples have at least one customary phone call finalizing or perhaps opening up the chance of the relationship restarting again?  Cat had suddenly slammed the page shut on the book of our relationship before there was even a chance of writing an epilogue; the final chapter had already been and gone and I felt as though I had missed it.

I admit it: the thing that probably hurt the most was my pride.  Here I was, pickling my liver with alcohol in mourning and having dreams about our reunion and she was already banging the nail in the coffin of our relationship?  Was I that easy to get over?

“Well, you know…this things happen,” I had stuttered after a drawn out silence. 

“Yeah…” he trailed off again, unsure of what to say.  “Yeah.”

“So,” I tried to swallow my hurt, “I take it she’s doin’ okay then?  I don’t need to worry about her?”

I was being cold, and I knew it.  But fuck it, if she was going to toss me aside as easily as some chewed up bone then I was going to treat her exactly the same.  There are many things I could say about Cat, but her being heartless would have been the last. 

Had she changed, then?  Or was she always this complex to begin with, only my desperation to be with her blinded me to it?  No, no…I loved her, I really did.  Her flaws were fatal but I adored them and knew their harmless extents; Cat couldn’t do anyone wrong even if she tried.

But what do I know; by the sounds of things Cat’s changed into someone I don’t even want to know anymore.  Furthermore, her interest in me, something I once mistook for that thing called “love”, if you can believe it, has clearly faded to nothingness.  She wants me even less than I want her. 

“She’s...I don’t know, it’s so hard to tell with Cat, isn’t it?  She never gives anything away.”

Damn right, the cold-blooded bitch.  “Mmm.”

“But I guess she’s fine, she’s staying with a friend for a while before she looks for her own place.  In fact, she mentioned seeing an apartment in the newspaper the other day that looked okay, it’s just so hard for people to find places in this city nowadays…”

What’s her heart made out of, ice?  “Well, I’m just staying where I am for the moment…”

“Damn straight, mate.  Beautiful place you have there, don’t let it go.”

Oh yes, because letting go of an apartment would be both callous and cruel…letting go of a year-long relationship?  Piece of cake …at least it is for Cat Saunders.  “Well, I’d better go now, Ryan.  Got a lotta work to do.”

“Sure, sure.  Well, if you need anything, just call.”

How about a chisel, to chip away at her heart of stone?  “Okay, bye for now.”

I hung up the phone quickly and without hesitation.  That was it, we were over for sure.  Quick, simple, and over.

And then, I had started to cry.  And not even for myself, but for the disappearance of My Cat, because I knew I would never see her again.

----------------------------
  

I should have called, why didn’t I call?

Because just hearing his voice would’ve caused you to burst into tears, that’s why.

But this is just plain rude, to turn up unannounced.  I should really just turn around and go back to Ed’s…

Come on, you big pussy.  Look, that ancient doorman’s seen you; see, he’s nodding at you in recognition.  You have to go up now.

Shit.

Having firmly lost this argument with my subconscious, I uneasily push myself towards the towering, therefore increasingly intimidating apartment block.   Collecting my stuff has to be done at some point; it’s not as though I’m leaving behind a sweater or two, there are large items of furniture that I need, kept away in my old home, otherwise known as Justin’s new bachelor pad.  Financially, it would be stupid to leave these just because it might be awkward seeing Justin; I have to be grown up about this.

But it’s proving to be rather difficult.

The time in the elevator ride up to the top floor vanishes, and suddenly I am confronted by Justin’s, not our, looming white door.  My hand pauses, the key clutched in my fingers hovering midair.  I can’t just unlock the door with my key; it’s not my house anymore.  I slip the key back into my jeans (I spent hours this morning choosing an outfit that said, “Hey, I’m doing fine without you but between you and me I cried at an episode of Seinfeld because I remembered it was you’re favorite”…I settled on jeans and a baggy sweater) and knock hesitantly at the door.

The sight of him still knocks the breath out of me.  He’s just as I remembered him; I don’t know what I was expecting, there’s hardly a lot a person can change in two and a half weeks, but it’s still a shock to see him just as I left him.  Curly brown hair, which I teased needed to be cut on what I didn’t realize would be our last night together, clear skin with the beginnings of a tan from the summer sun, an expectant expression on his face.

His eyes are different, though.  They were confused and watery, matching his tone as he explained he just didn’t know about us anymore.  But as they gaze back at me now, my ex-boyfriend and sadly the man I still love framed in the doorway, there’s a coldness, an almost indifference that literally sends a chill down my spine.

He was telling the truth; he really doesn’t love me anymore.

I am comforted by the silence, if he’s as shocked as I am to physically be standing before him then maybe I’m misinterpreting the look in his eyes.  Perhaps it’s not indifference, but I dread to think what else it could be.

“Hey,” I say softly, the familiar lump in my throat wedging itself in its customary position.

“Hi,” he says, his tone giving away nothing about from mild surprise.

“I…I should’ve called, sorry.”

“No worries,” he replies, folding his arms and leaning against the doorframe.  “What can I do for you?”

My breathing becomes shallow, I can hear my heartbeat thumping in my ears and my heart longs to release tears of devastation; no, I won’t let him see me cry.  I can’t, I have to remind myself that we’re over and that’s it, no looking back.  Pining for what isn’t going to help anyone, it’s just going to make moving forward even harder.  Luckily, thanks to being in the school play every year in high school, I have the ability to wipe my face and eyes of emotion, displaying nothing but blankness to the outer world.

But dear Lord, my inner world is crumbling at an alarming rate, right before Justin’s oblivious eyes.

I shove my hands in my pocket sheepishly, mirroring his casual, confident pose.  “I thought we ought to…discuss, um, matters to do with belongings and such.”  That’s right, keep it business-like, keep it simple.

“Oh, yes, you’re right.”  After a moment of consideration, he moves to the side, showing me in.

Ignoring how odd it seems to be invited into a place I called home, in fact still do, I step into the apartment.

Home is just the same too.  Nothing’s been moved, nothing’s changed.  Even the message paper beside the phone has the same scrawled message on it—a message I wrote.  It was the time that the plane was supposed to arrive in JFK airport when Justin arrived in from LA. Was that really only written by my own hand three weeks ago?  Did I have any idea then of the dire state of our relationship, or Justin’s clear shift of feelings from me?  My life with Justin feels like a lifetime ago, as though so much has changed and yet nothing at all.

“Cat, let’s just make this as easy as possible,” he sighs, unconscious of my eyes watching his chest rise and fall in his breathing.  I can’t help it; I can’t tear my eyes from him.  “This is difficult enough as it is without, you know…dragging it out,” he says slowly, as though searching for the right words.  “Well, it is for me, anyway.”

He suddenly locks his eyes with mine, the strange bitterness of his words confusing me.

“It’s difficult for me too, Justin.”  My tone appears defensive, but I am merely stating the obvious.  What does he think, that the past two weeks have been a breeze for me?  That he’s not crossed my mind, that I’ve not gotten silly-drunk just for the comfort of two minutes without him weighing on my conscience?

Oh Justin, if only you knew.  If only we could talk like we once did, but I know it’s my fault we can’t.  Maybe this is why this is so hard, because I know it’s my fault and I can’t blame him at all for his loss of love for me, the only door at which blame can be placed is at my own. 

How did I let this happen?

“Why don’t we just…go through the rooms?  You show me what you want or what is yours and then I’ll get it shipped to you?”

I pause.  “That seems the best idea.”

“Okay,” he firmly strides out and returns a moment later, the message pad left beside the phone in his hands.  His eyes skim over the paper, recognizing his flight details decorated with those stupid flowers I always doodle when I’m on the phone.

He firmly grips the paper and tears it viciously from the pad, hastily scrunching it into a ball in his hand, ready to throw away another reminder of my presence in his apartment.  The only thing that makes it worse is that I know it means nothing to him.

“So, what’s your address now?”  He glances up at me, causing a temporary mind block as I stare at him.  I never believed it when people said you can get lost in people’s eyes, I thought it was some sad phrase invented by the great Danielle Steele to fill gaps in her stupid romantic novels, but it’s genuinely true.  Whether it’s the love of your life or the guy in your Biology class who you think is cute, something happens in the space between their eyes and yours that causes your heart to do a double take.

I rattle off my address robotically, my words falling in the air as cold as bits of snow in the otherwise total silence.  Two lovers, suddenly strangers—nothing can be colder than that.

“Right, how do you want to do this?” says Justin briskly, sliding the piece of paper into his back pocket.

I shrug.  “Well, it’s mostly all yours, except for the bookcase, my bedside table, the laptop…that’s all I can really think of.”

"And personal stuff?  Photos, clothes, toiletries...."

 "Toiletries you can throw out, unless you have any use for Nair Hair Removal cream," I joke awkwardly, and he has the decency to grimly smile.  "I've got most of my clothes, but any more or other bits and pieces I can just put into boxes and take with me to Ed's.  Have we...you still got those spare empty boxes in the attic?"

 He nods.  "And...photos?"

 I want them all; anything to remind me of the good times we had together so I can look back and laugh.  Over the past year and a bit, I've enjoyed some true happiness, and at every available opportunity I whipped out a camera to snap the memory in a picture that Justin and I could look back on.  There must be over a hundred beaming pictures of us, just...existing happily.

 "Split them in half?" he suggests, and I seek some solace in the fact he wants to keep some memories too. 

That solace wanes soon as he promptly continues in the same strict, business-like manner I'm trying to imitate.  “What about the stuff in Tennessee?”

Oh, of course…there’s a whole other house with my belongings in it; that’s why I seem so empty-handed.

“I…hadn’t thought about that…” I fluster nervously, feeling a slight heat rise to my face from the embarrassment of looking so stupid before Justin’s cool gaze.

“What are your plans?  Are you staying up here in New York or are you heading back down south?”

“I…again, hadn’t thought about it…” I chuckle falsely, something I’m sure he notices too.

“Well, I was just thinkin’, because if you’re staying here we’ll have to get it shipped up but if you’re going back to Memphis we can deal with it locally.”

Suddenly, I feel very young, and very lonely.  It’s been so long since I’ve had to make decisions for myself I’ve almost forgotten how to do it; it’s sort of ironic, I took my life into my own hands at the age of seventeen, caring for no one but myself while other people still lived with mom and dad.  And now at the age of twenty two, when most are standing on their own two feet and having someone else protect you from the harsh world is just a memory of childhood, I’m about as independent as a Kindergartener. 

“I guess I’m just staying here, so it’ll need to be shipped.”  In an attempt to salvage what little Justin thinks of me, I quickly assure, “I’ll pay for it, don’t worry about it.”

“No, no, I brought you up here, I owe you it.”

“It’s my furniture, it’s my responsibility.”

He stares at me for a second, a tired look in his eyes.  “Okay, if that’s what you want.”

And that’s it, in a single moment, I know Justin’s given up on me.  He’s tired of me, of the complications I bring, and of having to fight back all the time.  I don’t blame him: I’m tired too.

Then, without any emotion that may resemble regret or relief or love or hatred, we go through the numbingly alien process of going through every room in the house, slowly but surely removing my items from his, sifting through our belongings and sorting them into two organized piles, tearing our united life in half.  All the time retaining a stuffy indifference with each other, feeling as though the person opposite is a total stranger.

Justin, I’m still me, why can’t you see that?  See that I love you, and that anything that I changed about myself was for you, not an act against you.  Why are putting up this charade of civility, like two people meeting for the first time at a business function, forcing politeness and ignoring the awkwardness.  We know each other’s greatest secrets, fears, hopes, hates, loves.

So, Justin, why are you looking at me like you don’t even know me at all?

 
 
 
Chapter 30 by Teeny

Josie is the one with the red beret and black turtleneck, a bona fide ‘artiste’, the splashes of paint from her afternoon session still encrusted in her hair.  From her series of poetically perceptive comments over the course of the evening I can’t seem to decide if she’s admirably insightful or annoyingly pretentious, and have to inwardly voice my bitchy response to some of her stupid lines.

 

“Don’t you think van Gogh’s death represents our dependency on other people?  Our total inability to function by ourselves?”

 

- Why do people always say exactly what you don’t want them to say?

 

“We are merely actors on this stage we call earth.”

 

- A line blatantly based off a Shakespearean poem, if my high school English serves me right. Luckily, as dessert rolled around, she quit with the analytic ponderings and stuck to arguing over which was better, chocolate ice cream or vanilla.

 

Henrietta is the vegetarian one wearing a junkyard’s worth of metal on her wrists—a row of sparkling bangles encircle her arms up to the elbow, hiding the markings on her arms that look much like several suicide attempts but are, Ed told me as he was holding the door to the small Italian restaurant a couple of blocks away from the apartment open for me, scratches from the crazy cat she won’t have put down.  For the duration of the meal, her main topic of conversation has been the mistreatment of animals by humans, a fact made much more interesting by the presence of two large steaks ordered by a hungry Ed and Josie.  She’s been in an amusingly argumentative mood ever since.

 

“Ed, how can you even consider eating the fried carcass in front of you?!” 

“Because I’m…higher in the food chain?”

 

Carolyn is the one most like me, the one best earning the title of “normal”, with a pair of dark jeans hanging on her curvaceous figure accompanied by a simple dark shirt.  She appears totally polite and inoffensive, but those three glasses of red wine have definitely started to take their effect.  As her cheeks darken in her drunkenness, her stories get dirtier and, I admit, a hell of a lot more interesting.  She has somehow gotten from telling us about how her first dog wouldn’t eat meat (Henrietta found this captivating, the rest of us did not) to her one and only encounter with a woman.

 

“And that’s when…” she slurs embarrassingly, setting her nearly empty wine glass down on the table, “I really knew that I wasn’t gay, and never could be.  Back me up here Ed, you’ll know what I mean, ‘cause you’re like, gay…isn’t there something a little weird about going down on a woman?”

 

Oh God, what am I doing here?

 

‘Dinner with a few close friends’ was how Ed described it; conveniently missing out that part detailing my spending the evening with a group of crazies so stereotypical they’re more like caricatures of people.  My and Justin’s friends are…well, absolutely nothing like this.  There’s the collection of meathead clubbing guys, the people we know from Tennessee, the slightly intelligent business types…

 

But no one like this new crowd.

 

“So Cat, tell us a bit about yourself,” Josie proposes kindly, clearly trying to pull me from my shy silence into the conversation and conveniently stopping Carolyn humiliating herself further.  The last thing I heard her say was, “I was born with inverted nipples.”

 

“Oh,” I set my glass of wine down onto the recently cleared table, running my fingers over the messy tablecloth distractedly.  “Well, there’s not much to say.  I came to New York with my boyfriend a couple of months ago, we just, um…we just recently broke up, and here I am.  Making new friends.”

 

“Where are you from?”

 

“Well, Ohio origina-”

 

There’s a bustle as a figure approaches our table; “Freddie”, I assume, some guy that said he couldn’t make it for the meal but would come for drinks later.  He takes off his long brown jacket, kisses Carolyn, Josie and Henrietta all on the cheek respectively, slaps Ed on the back, and sits down in the empty seat opposite me all in one breath.

 

Oh nice, I’m sitting opposite Joey Tribbiani.

 

His hair is dark brown and slightly gelled up, his brown eyes have slight circles under them, hinting at a long day’s work, his little button nose is a tiny bit too small for his face, his teeth, which are quite brilliantly white and straight, telling me he spent a few years in high school with the nickname “Brace Face”, shine at me as he smiles politely…he’s not turn-your-head-in-the-street gorgeous, but satisfyingly attractive nonetheless.

 

“Freddie, this is Cat.  Cat, Freddie.”

 

I hate introductions; they’re always so forced and intense, with that firm handshake and steady eye contact.  I always end up pussying out and staring at the floor as the person shaking my hand wonders why I have such a limp grip.

 

“Nice to meet you.”

 

“And you,” I reply, my smile faltering as I look down at the tablecloth, aware of his eyes on me.

 

“I’ve heard a lot about you,” he says, pulling his seat in as he sits back down. 

 

“And you,” I repeat, before realizing my error and wincing inwardly.  Of all the things to repeat, why would I choose such an unforgettable, ‘and you’?

 

“Cat, Freddie’s a photographer.  He works for the Gotham Gazette, he could get you some work?”

 

Freddie looks between Ed and me as he pours himself a glass of wine, settling down at the table.  “Sure, sure.  Are you a photographer?”

 

I shake my head coyly. “Writer.”  Knowing I am coming off as about as charismatic as a dead fish, I add, “I’ve not worked since I moved to New York though, I just can’t seem to work up the courage to get out there.”

 

“Really?  Writers are usually a bunch of cocky bastards,” Freddie smiles, his foot casually brushing against mine underneath the table.

 

I jolt, the unexpected slight graze of a touch sending a spark down my spine.  His face doesn’t change from its placid canvas of stillness, so I ignore the touch, assuming it’s accidental.  It’s a small table, I must have stamped on Henrietta’s feet fifteen times over the course of the evening…it’s a shame she’s wearing a pair of environmentally friendly hemp sandals, every time I stand on her toes it must be excruciatingly painful.  Painful for her, that is: to me it’s just funny.

 

“The males tend to be; it’s that misleading notion they have that women find being a total prick attractive,” I laugh slightly, raising the glass of red wine to my lips, feeling the tenseness ease slightly.  He’s a nice guy, making an effort for me to open up; I don’t have anything to worry about.  I give myself a shake; I’ve always been shy around strangers, when I really have no reason to be.

 

Freddie chuckles, lifting his own glass of wine to his mouth and pausing before he sips to say, “What about photographers, do you find them attractive?”  He drinks deeply from the glass with his eyes stuck on mine intently, waiting for a reaction.  And once again, a light touch traces the arch of my foot underneath the table, the toe of the foot slyly rubbing my ankle.

 

That definitely wasn’t a mistake.

 

No one around the table seems to notice the deep blush that crosses my cheeks as Freddie’s foot continues to teasingly assault my foot, inching its way up my calf.  Even his aggressively flirtatious comment goes unrecognised.  Josie and Henrietta suddenly spot someone who looks like somebody they know, and Ed starts coaxing the glass away from Carolyn, who is too far gone for words.  For all the company they’re worth Freddie and I may as well be on our own.

 

As everyone else gets distracted, Freddie’s eyes stay on mine, filled with a playful glint that I don’t know how to respond to.  A strange feeling has been sparked in my stomach, one of those jumpy, hesitant but all the same still enjoyable feelings.  He’s flirting with me.  He’s interested.  For the first time in what feels like forever, someone’s looking at me and thinking, “You know what?  She’s pretty cute”. 

 

When was the last time a guy so openly paid attention to me?  It can’t have been for months, maybe even a year; Justin, being the archetypical male, would never have stood by and watched someone playfully tease me without stepping in and effectively saying, “I’m sleeping with her, you’re not, back off”.  Of course Justin and I used to tease back and forth, but it’s just not the same flirting with someone you’re going out with, it’s like betting on something when you already know you’re going to win--kind of pointless, merely a form of foreplay.

 

Flirting is fun.  No matter how attractive or wealthy or influential the other person is, there’s just something contagiously joyful in exchanging words that always have so much more meaning behind them.  Besides, nothing ever actually comes from flirting, at least not the way I do it. I should really just indulge myself this one time; give back a little of what Freddie is so obviously giving to me, take the bait. 

 

But what about Justin?

 

My stomach twinges slightly, snuffing out the spark.  The reason why it’s been so long since I’ve flirted with a guy is because I didn’t want any guy other than my own.  Any even slight advances in my direction were wasted: I just wasn’t interested.  Why would I be?  I had everything I wanted in Justin.

 

Had, Cat, it’s the past tense.  Or maybe it’s pluperfect tense, or preterit, or perfect tense, I don’t know.  Regardless, its meaning remains: whatever I had, I don’t have it anymore.

 

Swallowing any apprehensions and forcing my mouth to form a cute little grin in return, I reply, “You’re not that bad at all.”

 

----------------------

  

“Why are things weird between us?”

 

My head lifts off the cushion and I look over at Trace.  “They are?”

 

“You know they are,” he says matter-of-factly, propping his head up on his elbow.  “We’re not talking.”

 

I smile slightly, and pull myself into a sitting position on the cold black leather of the couch.  Trace sits diagonally from me on one of the armchairs covered in the same uninviting dark material; why did I think that black leather was such a cool look when I was decorating?  The place looks like the inside of a Chevy from the seventies. 

 

“Do I have to make a joke about what we’re doing right now?”

 

“Justin…” says Trace in that annoyed tone people usually reserve for children.  “I’m being serious.  Things have been weird.”

 

“So you said,” I reply, showing my indifference to the conversation by turning on the sports channel. 

 

There’s a silence as we both turn our attention to a repeat of a game that was on a few nights ago.  Kobe Bryant effortlessly slices down the court with the ball towards the net, his long frame dodging the other players as the crowd start to heat up, anticipating his shot, just waiting for the moment where they can release their tension and start chanting “Ko-be, Ko-be!” in triumph.

 

“It’s because of Cat.”

 

The ball drops through the net in a perfect shot and the crowd reaches their climax, erupting into cheers and yells and frantic banner waving.  Every face has a grin on it and the camera pans away to show the Lakers patting Kobe on the back as he beams into the camera, mopping the sweat of his brow and acknowledging the people at home with a wink.

 

Trace and I sit, a deathly silence settling as the crowd cheers, Cat’s name echoing in the airtight room.  It’s so suddenly tense, so suddenly void of oxygen, so suddenly painful to be sitting there with him, her name bouncing between us, knowing a confrontation of sorts is coming next.

 

My relatively jovial mood dims immediately and I wait a moment for the initial pain of unexpectedly hearing her name to subside; that was unfair of him, to just spring her on me like that.  It was too harsh and abrupt, like suddenly pushing a knife through someone’s stomach.  He should have at least given me some kind of warning so I could put on a front to hide my emotions, instead of slapping me across the face with a ‘Cat’.

 

“You have no right bringing her up like that,” I say finally, keeping my eyes fixed on the TV with fierce determination.  If I look over, I don’t know if I’d punch him or start to cry.

 

“Why not?” he says uncertainly, turning his head from the TV to look at me.  “It’s not like she’s dead.”

 

“She may as well be,” I retort viciously, the acidity of my words shocking him.  I regret them the moment they leave my mouth, but that’s the worst thing about words: you can never take them back.

 

“That’s a real shitty thing to say Justin.”  His voice as an element of warning in it, and I know this is my last chance to turn back before this argument erupts as explosively as the crowd at the basketball game. 

 

“I…I didn’t mean it like that,” I stutter, looking down at my twisting hands, ashamed of my harsh words.  “I don’t like to talk about her, that’s all.  I mean, I’m at a place where I know what I did was for the best, but that doesn’t mean I want to talk about it all the time.”

 

Trace frowns at me incredulously.  “Seriously?”

 

“Seriously, I don’t want to talk about it, but seriously, I’m cool,” I shrug, flopping the TV remote down on the couch and standing up, ready to fake exhaustion so I could go to bed and lie awake all night thinking about this conversation.

 

I know I’ve accepted our break up.  I had to, there was no other choice.  But it’s too raw, the wound is still to open for me to be talking so plainly about her.

 

“Justin, Cat’s our friend.  She’s not a taboo subject.”

 

“Oh yeah,” I fake a laugh to cover the sob that threatens to crawl from my throat, “we’re on real friendly terms at the moment.”

 

His brown eyes soften for a moment, and he looks at me with sympathy for the first time in the whole ordeal.  “I noticed a ton of her stuff was gone.”

 

“Yup,” I agree briskly, heading over to pull the window shut and lock out the noise of the angry honks and shouts from the city.  “She picked up her stuff the other day whilst you were still at your sister’s.”

 

Trace is quiet for a moment, digesting this depressing piece of information.  “I miss her.”  He suddenly looks around the living room, as though for the first time noticing her absence.  “I miss her everywhere.”

 

I don’t say anything, but I inwardly scream out in agreement.  The apartment is cold without her, empty.  It feels as though I’ve just moved in to a place where no one’s lived for years.  All of the homey touches that she sprinkled over the rooms have been wiped away, leaving the sterile bachelor pad I stupidly created a couple of years ago when I wasn’t looking at the apartment as a home, but as a shelter to bring girls back to for the night.

 

“Where are all the Friends DVDs?” Trace laughs slightly, scanning the VCR cabinet and the distinct lack of Warner Brothers tapes.  “God, I didn’t realise she was such a massive part of this place.  She wasn’t even here for more than a few months.”

 

I want to clamp my hands over my ears and tell him to stop talking. Doesn’t he see how much this hurts?  Hasn’t it crossed his mind that he’s being insensitive?  I broke up with the girl a month ago but it feels like just yesterday, and just when I think I’ve come to terms with her missing from my life, here he is highlighting her absence.  Everything he says pierces through the sensitive spot on my heart and drives through to the core.  It hurts to hear him say these things. I want him to stop.

 

“And man, I’m sorry I wasn’t here for you with everything happening.  Literally and metaphorically,” he smiles shyly. 

 

After our drunken argument the night Cat and I broke up, his went off to his sister’s place in Queens and partied it up with her and her college-aged roommates for a few weeks whilst I drifted around in a funk.  I think it was his way of showing me that he didn’t support what I’d done, and he was stubbornly saying if it was such a great decision then I’d be fine coping on my own.  Bastard.

 

“I just…I just thought you’d given up too easy, you know?  And I was pissed because when I looked at you guys, I saw what I always wanted.  What any human being wants, actually.”

 

My stomach begins to turn, rolling my emotions into a tight little ball and begging to release them in hot tears of sadness.  “And what’s that?”

 

“A companion.  Someone who makes you laugh.  Love and all that cheesy shit,” he grins, pulling the white hood of his sweatshirt up over his dark brown, blonde tipped curls in embarrassment at his frankness.  “Man, I sound like a chick.” 

 

“It’s cool,” I murmur, smiling grimly.

 

“But maybe you were right.  Maybe things were too far gone for all that.”

 

“Trace,” I sigh, scratching my head.  Shaved, by the way, almost as a rebellion against Cat, who loved my curls.  “She’d changed, you know?  She wasn’t the Cat we knew.” 

 

And this statement is true.  Cat had changed, and the mourning I was doing over her and I as a couple wasn’t for the “us” of the last couple of months, I hated what we had become, but for the “us” back in Tennessee, even back when we were friends.  The Cat that I loved, that for some reason or another got sucked down in this city and in her personal problems, which she just didn’t feel as though she could share with me.  By the time she did, it was too late.

 

Trace nods.  “I know, man.  I mean, cancer.  Why would she hide that from us?”

 

Not us, Trace, she didn’t hide it from us.  She hid it from me.

 

“I don’t know,” I reply aloud.  “Something changed inside of her, and I’m real…” My voice suddenly gives way, but I pass it off as a cough.  “I’m real sad it did.  I loved her.”

 

A quiet moment of reflection envelops the room.  I look into the window and remember Cat’s chubby face standing beside my own, only coming up to my shoulders because she was such a short ass.  I can still envision how we were, who she was, before she lost her weight for me and I lost my trust for her.  Trace slouches on the ugly chair in his baggy jeans, playing with the clasp on his Rolex, flicking it open and shut.  Both of us thinking the same thing but neither wanting to say it.

 

But Trace, ever the more honest of the two, thinks aloud.

 

“She changed because of us, didn’t she?  We’re the ones that ruined her.”

 

“No man, we didn’t ruin her.  She changed herself for us,” I explain calmly, the vision of Cat and myself melting so that I’m just staring out at the apartment block opposite, watching as the lights are turned off and people go to bed.  “And that’s how she ruined herself.”

 

“But why?  We loved her just how she was.  Why would she do that?”

 

I shrug, Trace’s earnest questions making him sound like an upset child, “Whatever it was, you didn’t cause it, dude.  It was all me.”

 

“Justin…”

 

“No, it’s true.  She must’ve felt as though I was…I dunno, asking her to be different then she was.”

 

“Naw J, she always had her own personal shit that we couldn’t help.  All that insecurity?  It was just a matter of time before it fucked things up for her.”

 

There’s a truth to what he’s saying, but I know there’s a part of him that doesn’t like seeing his best friend upset, and he’s just doing his job to cheer me up.

 

“And you never know what the future holds,” Trace says, looking at me hopefully as pulls himself off the couch and walks to where I stand, shoving his hands in the pocket of his hoodie.

 

“Trace,” I sigh, once again feeling like the adult who has to tell Trace the child that Santa doesn’t really exist, “we’re not getting back together.  You have to accept that.”

 

“But…” he stalls, unsure of how to express his confusion as he stares out of the window at the same image as I do, at the dizzying amount of skyscrapers and hundreds of lives happening before us, “but how can it just be…over?”

 

“Things happen, people change.”

 

“And how can you be so brave about it?” he says, turning from the window to look at me.  “You’re normally a real woman about this kind of thing.”

 

I laugh shortly.  “Because I had to.”  I sling an arm affectionately over his shoulder.  “Shit man, it’s like you broke up with her too.”

 

He smiles, turning his gaze away.  “I know, it sucks.”

 

I scruff up his hair jokingly, recognising the hazy look of sadness in his eyes because it’s in mine too.  “We’ll be fine, Trace.  It’ll go back to just being me and you.”

 

He nods slowly, and I know this isn’t the way he wants things to be, but he’ll accept it all the same.

 

Trace turns to me.  “Bar time?”

 

“Let’s get trashed,” I reply simply, turning towards the door with a smile on my face.

 

Yeah, we’ll be fine.

 

----------------------

  

 

Every area of shared skin is tingling with excitement.  His thigh against mine, the hand that occasionally brushes my leg or traces a flirtatious line along my bare forearm, the nudges he gives me with his shoulders as he leans into me.

 

I was right when I thought this would be fun: it sure is.  We’ve spent two hours talking and drinking and laughing, it just feels so good to be interacting with someone new and exciting, who hasn’t had time to judge me and knows nothing about my past.  It’s like starting afresh; I can make myself appear however I want to appear.

 

Half an hour after Freddie arrived, Ed took Carolyn home, saying he might have to spend the night so she didn’t choke on her own vomit on her bathroom floor (the way he set the scene so explicitly was really great), and then Henrietta left too, saying she had some charity function the next day.

 

Josie, Freddie and myself sit huddled around the table, drinking our way happily through the last bottle of red wine and laughing over whatever seemed funny.  Freddie moved seats next to me so that we could all talk and hear each other better, and Josie has proved to be hilarious when she’s not talking about art.

 

“So there I was, looking like a gigantic lump next to this waif, and then to make things worse, no, no…to really shit all over my evening, my boyfriend threw up all over what I thought was my best painting.”

 

“That is awful!” I sympathise, giggling loudly nonetheless.

 

“That wasn’t your best painting!” Freddie protests loudly, holding his glass of wine in one hand and placing his other on my knee.  “Your best piece of work, your ‘masterpiece’ if you will…was the portrait of me.”

 

“She painted you?” I snort stupidly, gesturing between the two of them.  My focus blurs slightly, and if I weren’t having such a good time perhaps I would notice the dizzy feeling in my head.

 

“Oh yeah,” Josie affirms, nodding and grinning mischievously.  “Naked.”

 

I splutter in surprise, almost spitting out a mouthful of wine.  “Naked!”

 

“Don’t yell it,” Freddie laughs, covering my mouth with his hand as the remaining patrons in the restaurant turn to look at us.  “But yeah, naked.  It was about…what, five years ago?  She had to for her Life Form class at college.”

 

“And trust me Cat, I was impressed with what I saw,” Josie winks at me, and I giggle as I feel Freddie’s hand return to my knee, giving my leg a squeeze.

 

What a fantastic evening.  Making new friends, relaxing, drinking.  I haven’t this much fun in a long time; it’s as though the sun is finally breaking through the clouds that gathered soon after I moved to New York. There’s hope that maybe there is life after Justin and Cat.

 

“Oh crap,” Josie groans, pulling her purse onto her lap, “my boyfriend just tried to call me.  I said I’d be home at half eleven at the latest.”

 

“What time is it?”

 

“Almost one,” she giggles, and before I know it so am I.  “I’d better head home.”

 

She stands up and gathers her things, “You’ll make sure Cat gets home okay?” she says as she quickly hugs Freddie.

 

“Sure.  You gonna be alright?”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” she shrugs, turning to me and placing a sloppy kiss on my cheek.  “You, Ms Thing, are incredible.  I’ve got your number so you can come with me and Henri and Carolyn shopping or something”.

 

“That’d be great.  Bye Josie.”

 

“Bye!” she waves behind her back as she leaves the restaurant, stumbling slightly on the terracotta tiles of the small, intimate Italian restaurant.

 

As Freddie and I sit back down after her departure, the restaurant feels more intimate than ever.

 

“So, just you and me Cat.”

 

His face is so close to mine, his eyes looking at me with such intent I feel naked, as though he’s exploring the crevices of my insides just by a look.

 

“It is,” I agree, leaning into him and draining my glass of the dregs of wine, knowing every inch of me is beaming out flirtatious signals to him.  “But I think we’d better leave, the guys behind the bar look ready to throw us out for the night.”

 

Freddie glances over at them indifferently.  “The sign says open for as long as the customer’s want, and I want longer.”

 

I laugh and slap his thigh playfully.  “Come on buddy, let’s go.”

 

He helps me slip my coat on (a task much hindered by the fact I can barely focus my coordination long enough to put my arms through the sleeves) and walks me out of the restaurant into the warm August night air.

 

We walk along the sidewalk, occasionally brushing against each other out of not only flirtation, but our dizzied vision makes everything swirly and nothing straight.

 

“We’re so drunk,” Freddie laughs, placing his hand on the small of my back kindly to guide and steady me.

 

“I know, we went through so much wine tonight.”

 

“Well, you know what they say: conversation always runs more smoothly when lubricated.”

 

I slap his bicep but can’t stifle my smile so easily.  “Don’t be crude.”

 

He stops abruptly and circles my wrist with his fingers, pulling my body to face his.  Illuminated by the orange streetlight above us, his face looks even more handsome than I initially thought, and the last thing I see before his lips are on mine is the darkened brown of his own eyes, filled with a look of sexual longing.

 

Despite an entire evening of flirtatious comments, despite all the touches and grazes and teasing nudges leading up to this moment, a rush of surprise sweeps through me as Freddie kisses me.  I lose my balance, the shock weakening my knees, but Freddie holds me up, pushing me against the post of a sign advertising a Chinese restaurant downtown to support my back as he deepens the kiss.

 

My brain, washy with confusion, shock, lust and alcohol sloshes around inside of my head, unable to act out or respond or do anything.  Freddie, oblivious to anything going on inside of my head and assuming as anyone would that it is what I want, moves his kisses, feathery and light, down my neck.

 

And, despite myself, I don’t stop him.

 

Instinctively, my hand travels to the back of his hair, scratching the straight dark brown hair, such a different texture from Justin’s, wondering if I should feel guilty or glad that this opportunity has arisen.  Guilty that I’m moving on so quickly to somebody else after Justin, guilty that it feels so good and that I want him as much as he wants me, just for tonight.  Or glad that my subconscious allowed me to encourage Freddie, glad that the signs are beginning to show that Justin is in my past, glad that his touch has made me body erupt into tingles, just  like Justin's used to.

 

I almost yelp as Freddie’s wandering kisses reach the top of my bra underneath my shirt.  “How the hell did you get down there so fast?” I pant breathlessly, cupping his face in my hands to tilt his head up.  “Shit, I mean we’re, shit…”

 

“What?” he says, coming up to face level again and capturing my lips in another kiss.

 

“Freddie,” I mumble against his lips, trying to pull away, but my body refuses to comply with my mind.  “Freddie, we’re in the middle of a street, people can see us.”

 

“Do you want to come back to my place?” he asks unashamedly, breaking away to look at me, his eyes still hooded with what I vaguely recognise as desire.

 

Even hearing such a brazen sexual advance makes me blush and I look around, as though to check no one else heard his forward proposition.  I’ll be honest: I’m no guru when it comes to casual sexual situations, and to most women Freddie’s suggestion is just him being honest and to the point, there would be nothing wrong with it. 

 

And there isn’t; I don’t look down on one-night stands in the slightest, why shouldn’t people enjoy themselves as long as it doesn’t jeopardize how they feel about themselves? I’ve even had one myself a few years ago and realized they weren’t really for me.  I didn’t feel guilty or used or anything of the other emotions that stop people giving into temptation, I just couldn’t be bothered with them.  What a waste of time, to spend all that time shaving your legs for one night. 

 

But this…this is so open and shame-free. The flirtation is over, it’s fact: either we sleep together or we don’t.  This is sex of the twenty-first century: forward, matter-of-fact, no time wasted.

 

“You are single, aren’t you?” Freddie reassures during my shocked silence, trying to find an excuse for sudden change of heart.

 

“Yes, I am, but…”

 

"And do you want this?"

 

The tingles, little threads of pleasure inside of me, continue to pulse.  "God Freddie, of course I do..."

 

His thumb dances along my cheekbone, and he leans in to kiss my cheek.  “Then what’s wrong?  You look so…frightened.”

 

I smile sheepishly and blush, aware of the distance no longer than a pen between our faces.  “I’m sorry, I’m just…you know, you’re looking at me like that, and it’s being so long since I’ve been with someone different and I’m just not used to…this.”

 

“To what?”

 

“This,” my blush deepens as I continue to ramble, “like, um, these sort of situations.  I’ve been in a relationship for the past year and a bit, and I…I don’t know.”

 

Perhaps I’m being neurotic, but his face seems to get closer to mine.  “It's not as though we're getting married, it's just fun for one night.  You're not looking for something serious, are you?”

 

“No,” I shake my head violently, like children do when they’re proving their point.  “I need to be on my own right now.”

 

“So what’s the problem?” his head ducks to attack my neck again, biting the soft flesh slightly, evoking a gasp from my lips.  “I think you’re very beautiful, Cat,” he whispers into my ear, so erotically I almost shudder, “and I would love to spend the night with you, if that’s what you want too.”

 

Of course that’s what I want, at this split second, this exact moment in time, the chance to escape from my mind and act through my body for a night with a perfectly nice man.  But what about tomorrow morning?  Can I, for one night, push Justin completely out of my head and enjoy myself with another man, and then continue with my life as normal?  Or will I wake up tomorrow morning with no clothes on, a killer hangover, and the worst emotion: regret, realizing that I love Justin more than ever?

 

 

Chapter 31 by Teeny

I wake up with a bee in my ear.

The buzzing is incessant: shrill and annoying, the last thing I want when my eyes are glued shut and my head thumping in a way that tells me I drank plenty of wine last night.  I reach up, deftly smack the side of my head to kill it, and then throw my arm over my eyes to block out the sunlight that was streaming through the window, waking me up to a beautiful New York day.

“What are you doing?”

My eyes snap open in shock. There, to my side, is Freddie; bleary-eyed and rubbing his face at the brightness of the sun, looking as displeased to be awake as I was.  His brown hair is dishevelled and tousled, the gelled style of last night a distant memory; his eyes are squinted at the light in disdain; his chin is no longer smooth but dotted with black morning stubble.  And his body is naked, very, very naked.

Images of last night begin to flash in my mind incoherently, so quickly that I can’t tell the order in which they came.  Freddie kissing me in the street against the sign for a cheap Chinese restaurant; Freddie kissing me in the corner of the elevator of his building; Freddie kissing me all over my body as our clothes lay in a forgotten trail from the front door to his bed.  

And then suddenly it was all me: I had pulled his hair, bit his shoulder, scratched his back with emotion so strong I almost seemed angry.  My hands had tore at his clothing, covered my gasps and held him to me.  There had been none of the intimacy or familiarity that I was so used to but a carnal lust that ripped through us the moment I had accepted his invitation to spend the night with him.  We took each other with a violence of passion that you can only really experience with someone you don’t know that well and have no inhibitions with.

“I was...” I begin, horribly aware that the sheet I was clutching to my chest didn’t quite cover both breasts, resulting in some areola action.  “I was trying to get at the bee.”

Freddie raises an eyebrow dryly.  “Well, forget the bee for now and answer your cell.”

 My senses, so starkly awakened with the realisation of last night’s events, make a fool of me when I realise the buzzing is not a bee but my phone, vibrating in circles in the corner of the foreign bedroom.  Before even beginning to wonder how it got there, I pull the sheet from the bed and wrap it around myself properly, suddenly self-conscious as Freddie’s eyes bore into the back of me.

“Hello?”

“Cat, where the fuck are you?”

I smile, feeling some apprehension ease away at the familiar voice.  “Ed, I’m fine, I’m sorry I didn’t call.”

“But where the fuck are you?”

I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and take a shy glance behind me at Freddie, who unashamedly rises from the bed and stretches with a yawn.  If I knew him better, I’d tell him to put some clothes on and then ask him if he is circumcised, because something doesn’t look quite right.

“I’m at...Freddie’s,” my voice falters with embarrassment as I scan the room for my clothes that interweave with Freddie’s on the wooden floor.  Where on earth is my bra?

“Well, next time, could you let me know?  I just came back from Carolyn’s fifteen minutes ago and didn’t know what to think when you weren’t here.”

“Yeah, I’m really sorry,” I repeat, seeing my bra hanging off a vase on the bedside table, like a black hangman’s noose.  “Did you have to stay at Carolyn’s then?

Ed sighs with affectionate annoyance.  “Sure did.  I thought with my being gay and all I’d never have to be subjected to drunk and emotionally volatile women, but apparently they’re an unavoidable species altogether.”

I laugh and watch Freddie through the open door as he pads from one room to the other, looking confused and scratching his head.  It’s strange to see another man naked after so long of staring at the same slender, chiselled body; it’s even stranger to witness his refusal to be shy in front of a woman he’s only known for twelve hours.  As my eyes scan his body, I can’t help but notice the ever so slightly chubby roundness to his hips and the blank skin, unblemished by any tattoos or freckles.  Instinctively, my eyes travel to his left bicep to search for the dark Celtic cross etched across the skin; but, of course, it isn’t there.

“Well, I’ll be coming home soon,” I say as I shuffle around the room, cell phone in one hand, makeshift toga in the other.

“Not staying for breakfast?”

I snort as I pull on my underwear with one hand, which is a task neither easy nor graceful.  “No, I think I’ll just leave things as they are.  Isn’t that what you’re supposed to do with a one-night stand?”

“Ask someone who’s having sex,” Ed laughs, and we hang up a moment later.

I rush around the room, picking out my things from Freddie’s and putting them on too quickly.  I latch my bra on the wrong hook, button up my shirt incorrectly and almost forget to pull the zipper up on my skirt.  I doubt Freddie is one of those people who pointedly stares at your crotch and irritatingly says, “Flyin’ low”, but I didn’t really want to find out.

I walk through the foreign halls of his apartment, taking in the dark blue colored walls and blown-up photos of the Manhattan skyline without much interest.  The fluttery feeling in my stomach tells me I still don’t know what to feel about last night: whether to be glad that I took a positive step in the right direction, which is of course away from Justin; or to be heartbroken that I could do such a thing when I’m still so secretly in love with him.

“Well, I’m sure we’ll be seeing each other again soon,” I say to Freddie, leaning against the doorframe of the small kitchenette with my purse slung over my shoulder.  He has, thank God, put on some boxers.

“You’re going so soon?” he says with surprise, turning to me and wiping his hand on a towel.  He points behind him.  “I was going to cook you some breakfast.”

I shake my head, realising darkly that while I can spend the night having sex with Freddie, I can’t sit down and have an unaccompanied, sober conversation with him.  No, that would be too intimate.

“Thanks, but I’m just going to go on home.  I haven’t got any make-up or anything,” I blush, automatically running my hands through my hair to give it some body.  I don’t know why I bother, every strand is lank and alcohol-infused: a punishment for last night’s drinking. 

“Well,” Freddie puts down the towel on the counter and moves towards me, wearing a charming, straight-toothed smile that I recognise from last night.  “You look great to me.”

He circles my waist with his arms and pulls me towards him, capturing my lips with his and pressing his hips against me.  Immediately, I kiss him back hungrily, the feeling of lips on mine too irresistible to ignore.  The mood moves so quickly from awkward to intense that I’m not surprised when he pulls away, his brown eyes and protruding boxers giving me a mischievous look that asks, ‘Wanna go again?’, but I smile my no.   Last night, in all its passionate, drunken lust was wonderful, but to continue it in the sobriety of the daytime would make things more confusing than they already are.  I know I won’t see things clearly until I’m out of Freddie’s apartment: whether I’ll like what I see, I don’t know.

“Thanks for last night,” I blush, coy again as I step away towards the threshold of his apartment.  “I’ll see you around.”

He smiles, rejected and frustrated, but shrugs.  “I had a great time.  And anytime you want to...”  He trails off.  “Well, you know where I am.”

I clutch the strap of my purse with my left hand, masking my horror with a polite smile.  This booty is not for calling.  “Okay.  Well, great.  See you then.”

I bound down the steps of the apartment complex two at a time, suddenly uncomfortable in the murky waters of one-night stand protocol.  The air is filled with clogged pollution of New York’s smog as I navigate to the nearest subway, desperate to get home and think over the evening, which comes to me in flashes when I remember something.

Flash.  Fingers clenched and interlocked.

Flash.  Sweat sticking two bodies together.

Flash.  Freddie’s forehead against mine, lips against mine, body against mine.

Flash.  Brown eyes, not blue.

“Cutie?”

My body jars.  The voice that called that so-familiar nickname floats into my recognition, and before I feel the shock, it strikes me just how much I’ve missed him. 

He’s still the same.  Short, kind of chubby, hair that springs in blonde-tipped large curls from his scalp.  His tattoos, too large and ugly for his small size, scar his forearms; the rest are hidden underneath a casual grey track jacket and jeans. 

My eyes rise to greet the voice of the words numbly, my heart doing acrobatics in my chest at the surprise of seeing him here, now, in this neighborhood.  I struggle to think when the last time I saw him was: it was long before Justin and I met our messy end, even before they went to Los Angeles.  Perhaps two months.  But when had I last spoken to him on the phone?  What were our last words to each other?  “See ya, love ya, miss ya”, like we so often said at the end of our conversations?

“Hey, Trace.”

There is a moment where we say nothing but allow each other to take it in, uneasy on this new ground that we share.  It wouldn’t be inappropriate to hug him, in fact I’d do anything to smell the cologne he and Justin share and wrap my arms around him.  But I won’t: it’s almost as though I’m worried he’ll smell the sex off me.

“What are you doing here?”

Flash. Kissing, kissing everywhere, even in the places I don’t expect him to go.

Flash. Hands all over my body.

Flash.  Gasps meeting moans as one body thrusts into another.

The minute the words leave his lips it seems a ludicrous question.  He knows what I’m doing because he’s doing the same thing; his rumpled clothing and urgency to get moving make it clear he’s on his way from his own one-nighter. “I thought you were living up in Brooklyn?” Trace continues, apparently hell-bent on getting a response from me.

“I am,” I reply, feeling as though the sex is all over me as I try to surreptitiously straighten my blouse and skirt.  I feel sweat prickling at my forehead with nerves, then immediately wish I hadn’t thought about sweat as last night flashed its movie stills in my mind.

He pauses, apparently not in the mood for any shyness.  “So...I guess this means you have another boyfriend.”

I recoil from his hostility; a tone I’m so unused to hearing from Trace.  “No, it doesn’t.”

“You do look different,” he murmurs, his eyes dancing over me so that I run my hands over myself nervously.  “Justin was right.”

I tighten my facial muscles stubbornly, refusing to let his name have any effect on me.  “Really?”

“Yeah,” he sighs, crossing his arms.  “He mentioned you’d lost lots of weight, done shit with your hair.  You look good.”  His compliment comes begrudgingly, as though he wished I hadn’t looked different at all.

“It was time for a change.”  I almost want to laugh and add, ‘Look how great that turned out,’ but the words get stuck in my throat when I realise this situation is not at all funny to me. 

I want to apologise for not being in contact with him, but I have no reason as to why I didn’t call him other than the obvious: I couldn’t put him in the middle between me and Justin.  I want to ask him all about what he’s been doing, who he’s been seeing, how he’s coped with the break up; but it’s as though we’re on two sides of the divider and there’s nothing we can say to break the glass. 

Even though Justin isn’t here, his presence is so strong between us it puts a gag around the great friendship that existed here only a few months ago. 

“So you were out last night?” I ask, eager as ever to move the focus of the conversation from my body.

“Yeah.”  He raises an eyebrow as if to show he knows exactly what I’m asking.  “Justin went home kinda early.  Alone.”

“That wasn’t what I meant,” I respond hastily, disliking so much to be talking to Trace like a stranger but feeling my pride slip away by the second.

“Let’s just...not do this whole thing, okay?” I stare at him blankly.  “I don’t want to argue with you, Cat, or talk to you like you’re the enemy.  I’m only supporting Justin because he’s my oldest friend –”

“I know that, Trace, and I wouldn’t expect otherwise,” I interrupt.  “It’s just...there was no one on my side.  And I really hated losing you like that.”

Trace doesn't reply but looks up and down the street.  I worry that he's sick of talking to me already, that I've put him under too much pressure and he's looking for the nearest subway.

“Wanna get a coffee?” he suggests suddenly, taking me by surprise and grabbing the conversation before it goes into territory too dangerous to approach standing awkwardly on a sidewalk.  “It’s sucked not seeing you, Cutie.  Shit,” he laughs, rubbing his stubbly chin.  “I’ve missed you.”

My pride melts and I couldn’t be more grateful.  “I’ve missed you too.”

“So, coffee?”

I shift uncomfortably from one foot to the next, torn between an answer.  “I just don’t know, Trace.  I mean, it’s great seeing you, really great, but it might be kind of...weird.”

“Cat, we’ve known each other too long for anything to be ‘weird.’  Christ, I was your roommate for a year, nothing can be weird after I walked in on you in the shower that time.”

My laugh erupts before I realise it was coming and I thump my forehead with my hand in embarrassment at the memory.  “That was only weird because you didn’t leave when you realised I was in there.”

“Hey,” he shrugs, “I couldn’t find my razor.”

I pause, biting the side of my lip anxiously, my smile easing. 

“Even if it’s just this once, Cat, I’d really like to talk things over.”  He pauses.  “It’d probably be good for both of us.”

“Okay.”

---------------

“So,” I begin, jamming my purse between my thigh and the side of the red, velvet chair.  “How is he?”

Trace shrugs, staring into his coffee uncomfortably, shoulders hunched; as though he doesn’t know how to tackle the subject now that it’s actually here.  “He’s...fine, he’s fine.  Maybe not where you are yet, but, you know.”

I feel guilty and embarrassed but refuse to show it, picking up my bottle of water to distract from my heated cheeks.   I should have known Trace would ask about Freddie, under the circumstances. 

“Trace, you don’t know where I am,” I say, pulling at the label on my water bottle absentmindedly.  “I know how things look, but...”

He raises his eyes to look at me.  “So you’re telling me that you didn’t spend last night with some guy?”

I pause, wondering whether this would get back to Justin; he probably wouldn’t care if it did.  “Yeah, I did, but you have to understand that Justin and I are in very different positions.  He’s the one that broke my heart, Trace, and the one that called it quits.  Can you really blame me for seeking solace where I can?”

But with some other guy?”

“Well, I can’t exactly go to Justin asking for a shoulder to cry on, can I?” I mutter darkly, wishing that it weren’t the case. 

Trace’s silence shows he gets my point and I pray he’ll drop the subject.  There’s no heavy feeling of regret weighing down in the pit of my stomach like I thought there might be, but just an acknowledgment that sleeping with Freddie only made me feel better for a precious few moments.  That, really, I was just using sex as an escape from feeling so awful about myself because, when Freddie’s eyes were on me, I felt wanted.  I wouldn’t necessarily change last night, but I certainly wouldn’t call it healthy.

As though reading my mind, Trace says, “It’s not like you to turn to men to make you feel better about yourself.”

His comment stings me in a way that I’m sure he didn’t intend it to; probably because I know it to be true.  Justin’s words on the final morning come back to me as I stare numbly at my water, which I know I chose because it didn’t have any calories in it.

“You’re not how you used to be . . . The old Cat would never have done that.”

He had been talking about my losing weight, and it strikes me what a ridiculous plan that was.  Justin had always loved me just the way I was, so why on earth did I think that changing to meet some self-imposed standard would make him happier?

“Oh my God, Trace,” I take a sharp inhalation of breath, not allowing myself to get emotional but feeling my eyes itch to let all the confusion and hurt go, “I really fucked things up.”

His eyes widen, as though he hadn’t expected anything of that sincerity to leave my mouth over coffee.  I keep my gaze stuck on the water bottle, knowing that if I looked at Trace I’d feel worse.

“Well, yeah, the cancer thing was...”

“But it’s everything that came after that, the whole weight thing.”  As I sit, maybe fourteen or so pounds lighter than I had been when Justin and I had been happier, I feel worse about myself than ever.  “I was just so desperate to patch things up that I was going to do whatever it took.”   

“But Justin didn’t want you to try and get down to a perfect size four, Cat, he wanted you to get the trust back on.”

I smile regretfully.  “You know, I am a six now.  On top, at least.”

Trace leans back in the cushion of the chair, arms folded and his black coffee forgotten.  “Well, that’s something.”

“Oh, Trace,” I look away as a tear falls over my cheek and quickly brush it away.  “Where did it all go so wrong?”

He remains silent.

---------

 Last night didn’t quite do the trick.

It was nice to spend time with Trace, feel the tension ease off between us after all that time spent being mad about the way things went up in flames with Cat.  We had a few drinks, talked to a few girls, but I’m so far from moving onto other people that I called it a night pretty early on and went home.  Trace went off with some girl and still hasn’t returned. 

It has been weird getting used to being single again.  There’s just so much spare time that I would have spent shopping with Cat, watching movies with Cat, eating with Cat, in bed with Cat.  Sure, I’ve gotten better at filling up my time without her; I check my mail, email, catch up with people I’ve somewhat neglected when I was loved up and happy, do business, and, of course, record.  But there are always times that I’m on my own and my mind will rest on her or, even worse, all the fun we used to have.  When I think back to my relationship with Cat, I realize just how much time I spent laughing. 

I hear the front door close, signalling Trace’s return.  I let out a call to let him know I’m in the TV room watching some shit without really watching it; a documentary about obesity or something.

“Hey,” says Trace in a somewhat subdued manner as he sits on the armchair beside the coach.

I throw him a glance.  “Hey, man.”

He swirls his set of keys around his index finger.  “I...I don’t really know where to start.”

I raise an eyebrow disinterestedly, eyes fixed on the TV screen.  “You’re gay, I knew it.”

“Shut up,” he mutters, still swinging his keys.  “I saw Cat today.”

It was all he needed to get my attention.  I shift from my lounging position instantly, staring at him.  “Really?”  Strangely, even though we live in the same city, it’s never occurred to me that I’d run into Cat. She knows all the places I tend to be: which stores I shop in, which bars I go to, which streets I have friends at; and I’m sure she’s avoiding all of them so that we don’t bump into each other.  Anyway, she lives in Brooklyn, two subway journeys away and over the bridge...not that I’ve ever wondered how to get to her new apartment or anything.

“Yeah.”

A wave of envy washes over me, strong enough to let me know that the feelings I so often push down for Cat are still there.  I wish it had been me that had bumped into her, seen her, talked to her.  Even if just to see that she’s okay; I’ll never forgive myself for dragging her away from her home in Tennessee where she’d been comfortable for four years, only to abandon her in this bitch of a city. 

“In Brooklyn?”

Trace crinkles his nose in thought.  “Nah, it was Queens. Somewhere in the middle,” he shrugs.

“What was she doing in Queens at ten in the morning?”

Trace gives me a hard stare. “She was on her way home.”

“So, how is she?”

A faint smile plays on his lips.  “Funny, she asked me the exact same thing about you.”

I don’t allow myself to show any outward sign of pleasure to Trace, but can’t stop the inner twang of happiness from my heart.  It feels good to know that, somewhere over the bridge, she’s still thinking about me too.

“Well?”

“It was real good seeing her,” Trace nods, looking down at his keys.  “I mean, just last night I thought I’d never see her again.  And you’re right, by the way, she has lost a lot of weight.”

I roll my eyes, unhappy with this news.  “Probably more than when we broke up.”

Trace shrugs.  “I think she’s realizing how fucked up that whole thing is, though.”  He speaks carefully, perhaps wary not to divulge everything that they talked about.  “She’s got some self-esteem issues, for sure.”

“Yeah,” I agree, thinking back to that morning when she was so different from the girl that I loved.  “It thought they were just quirky insecurities; didn’t know they’d fuck everything up.” I cough gruffly.

“But if she worked that shit out, maybe you two could work things out?” Trace ventures hopefully.

“I told you this last night, man,” the words are painful as they come out of my mouth, “it’s not going to happen.”

 When will that become easier to say?  When will I believe that I’d have the courage to turn down Cat if she showed up and asked for me back?  I know I couldn’t say no to her a second time; I wonder whether she knows too.

“But Justin, she’s changed...and I mean in a good way this time.  She’s real aware of where she fucked up and I think she really regrets it.”

“Trace, unless I hear these words from her mouth, things aren’t going to change.”  But even as I say this, a little, too often extinguished flame of hope rekindles in the back of my mind, and I suddenly remember how great it felt to have Cat by my side all those nights that we spent together.  I have to admit, even if not to Trace but just to myself: I’d give anything to have her back.

“Well, don’t waste too much time being stubborn about it,” says Trace, propping his feet up.  “She’ll move on, man, and don’t think she won’t.”

-----------

I come back from coffee with Trace feeling awful.   Dizzy, unsure, upset: angry at myself for letting a ridiculous thing like low body-confidence ruin a relationship; worried whether I had made the right choice in sleeping with Freddie.  Suddenly all the flashbacks to last night didn’t make me tingle, they made me feel sick: a fuck to make myself feel better has most definitely had the opposite effect.

I hate girls like me.  The ones that aren’t mature enough to let go of the little things and realise their own worth and enjoy themselves.  But worse – the ones that use men to make themselves feel good. 

The vomit creeps into my throat the moment I unlock the door to Ed’s apartment.  I fling my bag into a corner and rush into the bathroom, heaving up all the disappointment in myself and how I had handled things into the white cistern of Ed’s toilet. 

As I sit on the gleaming black tiles of the bathroom floor and rub the imprints the floor made on my knees when I was being sick, I realize just how good the numbing emptiness left by vomiting feels. 

Chapter 32 by Teeny
Author's Notes:

A million thank yous to those that reviewed and welcomed me back.  I really wasn't expecting it but I love reviews so you're all babes =)

 

If only I hadn’t slept with Freddie.  If only I hadn’t rejected his offer to stay for breakfast.  If only I hadn’t rushed out of the apartment so quickly.  If only I hadn’t agreed to Trace’s suggestion to go for coffee.  If only Trace and I hadn’t found a few glowing embers left in the ashes of our friendship. 

If only I hadn’t done all those things, then Trace wouldn’t have put me in the awkward situation of having to reject the invitation to his birthday party. 

Trace’s twentieth fifth birthday had been the last thing on my mind; and I’m sure inviting me had been the last thing on his.  If I hadn’t seen him on the sidewalk that day over two weeks ago in Queens, then I doubt he would have called me to say that Suede, a club in New York that he and Justin had shares in, was the venue in which the beautiful and famous were pouring in to celebrate his special day.

“Trace, are you being serious?”

I suppose the invitation wasn’t totally out of the blue: we had been in touch since our day at the coffee house when he started an inane text messaging relationship that I couldn’t help but participate in.  Who can resist responding to a text saying, ‘I think I just slept with someone with eleven toes, for shiz.’ 

“Why not?”

I sighed down the receiver of my cell phone.  “You know why, Trace.  Justin will be there.”

“So?  There’ll be about two hundred other people there as well.”

“But you just know I’ll run into him; that’s the way karma works.”

“And what’s the biggie if you do?  Man, you’re two adults who are ignoring each other like a pair of eight year olds.  It’s pathetic.”

“He wouldn’t want me there, Trace,” I continued relentlessly, envisioning Justin’s displeased, cold stare when he saw me.  “And I wouldn’t want to make a scene.”

Trace exhaled loudly, in that way frustrated people do when they think you’re being immature.  It’s something I often had to resort to with Trace and Justin when the three of us were living together and whole hours were spent arguing who got the TV remote.

“Okay, so this is how it’s always going to be, is it?  Me, caught between you and Justin and not able to have a normal friendship with either of you just because your relationship bit the dust?”

I recoiled slightly, hurt. “Well, kind of Trace.  That’s what happens when two people break up and they share the same friends.  Things are awkward.”

“Then I guess we’ll have to call it quits, Cutie, because I can’t keep on doing this.”

“Trace, it’s just a party; I doubt you’re crossing all the friends who RSVPed no off your Christmas card list so quickly.”

“But it’s not just the party,” he stressed.  “It’s that you won’t make the extra effort to be involved in my life when I’ve been trying my damndest to worm my way into yours.  Fuck, I even wrote to your editor after reading your first article.”

“You did?” I replied in a saccharine tone. 

Freddie had stuck to his word and squeezed me in as a political correspondent on the newspaper he worked on.  I hadn’t even remembered he worked in the media until he called me up one day to ask if I had time to write a four hundred word article by five o’clock.  My first article was published last week; an introductory piece chronicling our actions in the Middle East with the customary cynicism and regret most Americans feel.  Sure, the article had been reduced by a hundred words and the editor refused to give me a cubicle in the newspaper’s office until I proved to be popular with readers, but it was a start on getting my career back on track.

“Well, I got a eleven-toes to email him from my blackberry. You know I’m fuckin’ shit with words.”

I laughed down the phone.  “Inarticulate, maybe?”

“Whatever,” he had replied, but I knew he was smiling too.  “C’mon Cat, it would mean a lot.  And I’m tellin’ you, Justin doesn’t have a problem with it.”

“Have you even asked him?”

“Hey, it’s my birthday – if I wanted to invite his mom and pay her to take off all her clothes, there’s nothing he could do about it.”  The weird thing is, Lynn probably wouldn’t even need as much convincing as money.  “But, trust me, he won’t mind.  He’d probably be pleased to see you.”

Trace had paused, as though he expected me to read into that statement.  I chose not to.

“Fine Trace,” I conceded.  “I’ll come.  But only to say hi, and then I’m going home to alphabetise my book collection.”

“Can’t wait, Cutie.”

And so, following the results of the phone conversation, I am faced with something far more awkward than rejecting Trace’s party invitation: actually having to go to the damn thing and worry the whole time about seeing Justin.

I take one final look in the mirror.  To my horror, Trace told me it’s a themed party: vintage gangsters, along the lines of Fat Sam and Bugsy Malone.  I borrowed a dark red velvet dress with a jewelled bust line from Carolyn, which she assured me would make me look like Jessica Rabbit’s twin sister.  The dress is fine, doing what a good dress ought to do (push up the boobs and suck in the waist) and the few curls I add to my hair are somewhat Jessica Rabbit-inspired.  Not that I’m all that concerned about looking jaw-dropping – I plan to find Trace, down a shot in his honor, and then scoot – but, in the likelihood that I do see Justin, I want to look avoid looking like a complete wreck. 

I can’t help but criticise the more-recently filled out look to my face.  I’ve been trying desperately to re-evaluate my relationship with food and my body after that day when vomiting after eating seemed a plausible approach to losing weight.  In the past week, I’ve been eating more meat and even allowed myself a hot chocolate on the morning my first article was published, just to prove to myself I don’t have the beginnings of an eating disorder.  It’s almost funny: people think eating disorders only affect those that are under ninety pounds, not those oscillating between one fifty and one sixty.  Anybody passing me on the street would still think I was a little chubby if you asked them offhand. 

I put weight from my mind.  Not tonight, Cat; don’t think about it tonight.  Just think about how quickly you can get to Chelsea and back without incurring too much damage to yourself.

----------

I was waiting for her at the door before Trace suggested we stop meeting and greeting people and go sit at the head table.

When Trace told me Cat was coming tonight, I shrugged as though I could take or leave this little nugget of information.  He had added an unnecessary, ‘Hope you don’t mind, buddy’, with a grin on his face to let me know that he was fully aware that I was excited to see her.  The last time I saw Cat was when she came to pick up her stuff from my place, and I’d been a bit hostile towards her.  I don’t know, I was still hurting and seeing her only made it worse.  But now – it’s been a full month and a half since I broke things off: I’ve really, really missed her. 

The club is full of people: all of Trace’s friends, some from school and others that he’s met through working for me; some southern relatives that look decidedly out of place in their swish surroundings; his old-girlfriends and a few one-night stands, who stand in a cluster near the ladies’ restroom, constantly re-entering to check their make-up.  There are a few minor celebrities lurking that I’m sure Trace doesn’t know and are only here to be photographed by the paparazzi stationed outside the entrance.  In any case, the estimated number of two hundred people is a laughable memory as hundreds of bodies fill the space available.

But I still haven’t seen Cat’s.

 I sit at a table with Trace and about ten other people, where five bottles of champagne sit on the oval table and a banner, reading ‘Happy Birthday Trace’, hangs on the wall above our heads.  At least if I stay here there’s no way I can miss her, as she’ll have to come over and say hi to the birthday boy. 

I don’t know what I’m going to say to her or how I’m going to act.  I broke up with her, and yet it feels as though she has the upper hand throughout this whole thing.  She was the one that did all the changing while I stayed exactly the same; just as ridiculously in love with that girl I met in Shelby Forest General Store a year and a half ago.  In the end, I was left looking like a fool while she did all the moving on before we even broke up. 

I don’t see Cat being led through the crowd, weaving between the dancing gangsters and dolls with their trilbies off to the side of their heads.  All I see is one of the guys dealing with the guest list standing in front of our table, one hand rudely pointing behind him.

“Here she is, Mr Ayala.”

Trace grins, stands up and shuffles around the table with a spare glass of champagne in his hand.  “Hey Cutie, what’s up?”

That’s when I see her.  Cat, in all her velvety, curly-haired glory.  She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, plasters on a smile that only a drunk person would find genuine, and puts her arms around Trace.  Her dress hugs her figure perfectly, showing off slimmer arms, a more shapely behind and a far flatter stomach.  She looks fantastic; but I can’t help but miss that slightly podgy mid-section that I used to rest my head on.

“Everyone, this is Cat,” Trace announces to everyone at the table. 

The table is already too involved in its own separate dialogues to pay her much attention.  They murmur a response and Trace returns to his seat, leaving Cat standing awkwardly at the head of the table with a champagne glass in one hand and her clutch in the other, looking like she doesn’t know what to do.  She hates situations like these: Cat isn’t one of those people who can ease their way into conversation; she has to have someone familiar to guide her in before she can relax.   

With this knowledge, I move over and pat the spot beside me.  “C’mere, take a seat.”

I don't intend to come off so friendly, but it's instinct to save someone when they look out of place.  Even if it is the woman that you loved and lost somewhere along the way.

When her eyes land on me, they widen with surprise.  Perhaps at seeing me, perhaps because I'm being so nice to her.  Nevertheless, she shoots me a grateful look and I want to kiss her all over.

“Thanks.  I –”

“Hate these things, I know,” I smile at her, leaning forward with my elbows on my knees as I twirl my champagne glass between my fingers.  “Nice dress.”

“Oh,” she looks down and brushes down the velvet material, “It was the best I could do at short notice.  Nice trilby.”

I laugh and pick the black trilby off my head, showing her the shaved surface underneath.  I remember she used to hate it when I wore hats, because apparently ‘men in hats are either bald or gay.’

“Bald, not gay.”

“Well, thank goodness,” she takes a gulp of champagne and almost drains the glass.  “Thought I’d put you off women for life.”

My mouth opens a reply but David, Trace’s cousin and the person on Cat’s left, suddenly swirls round and sticks his hand out.  I can’t decide whether he’s saved us from a potentially awkward situation, or ruined my chance to tell her that the only reason she’s put my off women for life is because I only compare them to her.

“Hey, I’m David.”

“Um, hi.  Cat,” she replies, shaking his hand with a confused expression.  Her confusion seems to wane slightly when it becomes clear that guy is already drunk beyond any sense of propriety.

“You lived with Trace, right? And you two,” he motions between us, his southern drawl elongating the embarrassment.

“Well, no, not any-... used to,” Cat answers uncomfortably, making a point of not looking at me.  I wish she would, just so I could telepathically warn her David is looking at her like a piece of meat. 

“Now that’s a mighty shame, because you are fi-ine.” David winks in a horribly lecherous manner and I’m pleased to see Cat’s eyebrow arch in disapproval.

She turns to me in one swift movement, putting her back to David and all her attention on me.  It’s as good as giving the guy the finger.  “Want to go get a drink?”

Ha, sorry Davey, better luck next time.  “Sure.”

The moment we leave the table the bodies press in against us; Cat and I are instantly separated by a couple that are making out and two girls accidentally-but-quite-on-purpose stumbling into me.  I steady them with my hands, reach around the couple and grab Cat’s hand to lead her towards the bar.

It’s amazing how quickly our hands find their place in each other.  My hand shapes around hers protectively, just like it used to, and her fingers grip mine as she is jostled in all directions by people taller than her.  I’m heading towards the bar until she taps on my shoulder, mouthing something that I can’t hear over the pounding bassline of the song playing.

I motion that I haven’t heard her.  She mouths again.  I shrug, as if to say, ‘Nope, not that time either.  Isn’t it annoying when that happens?’

She rolls her eyes and moves forwards, suddenly pressing the full length of those curves against me.  “Wanna head outside for a second?  It’s packed in here.”

--------

“Sorry, it was just too busy in there,” I explain, fanning myself in the cool night air. 

“Yeah,” Justin agrees.  He casually hooks his thumbs into the belt hooks of his pinstriped pants.  “Is this how you got in?”

I look around the quiet parking lot, which has been quarantined from the press’s invasion and contains only a few smoking club-goers.  “Yeah, this is where the non-celebrity entities were allowed entrance.”

“Cool,” he laughs, and it suddenly feels very quiet between us.  “So, how have you been?”  

I shrug and rub my bare arms in the cold.  “Fine.  I got a job. At a newspaper.”

“That’s great,” he smiles.  “When’s your first article out? I’ll have to read it.”

“It was out last week; Trace has a copy of it.”

“Oh.” His voice expresses some shock.  “So you guys have been keeping in contact?”

“Only recently.  I bumped into him a few weeks ago –”

“In Queens?  He mentioned.  What are the chances?”

Is that supposed to be some reference to Freddie?  I never asked Trace whether he told Justin the circumstances under which we met; however Justin’s face shows little sign that he has any idea I’ve had sex since we broke up.

“It was surprising to see him.”

Justin looks uncomfortable, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand and staring at a cigarette butt on the ground.  “I’m glad that you two...I’m glad your friendship wasn’t ruined by what happened between us.”

I pause for a moment, wondering how open I’m supposed to be in this kind of situation.  “To be honest, I didn’t really want to come tonight.  I didn’t know whether you’d want me here.”

“Cat,” he sighs and looks up, meeting my gaze straight on.  “I can’t turn off my feelings for you in a flash; I still care about you.”

My heart had skipped a beat, only to be disappointed by hearing about all the ‘care’ Justin has for me.  I want to smack that trilby off his head and tell him to love me again, but there’s no point.

“So how are you?  How’s your album?”

“Oh, God,” he rolls his eyes to emphasise how frustrating the situation is, “The label keeps putting the release on hold.  Too similar to other albums on the market, or some junk like that.”

“So you have no idea when it’s going to come out?”

“Nope.  But I’m not too crazy about the idea of going on the road right now, so maybe it’s for the best.”

I nod as the silence falls again. It’s a silence full of tension, one that I want to fill with apologies and proclamations of love, but the words die on my lips.  I’m just too scared that I won’t hear what I want to back, and that would crush me. 

“So, you seein’ anyone?”

The question takes me by surprise.  “Oh, no, no.” I fiddle uneasily with my bracelet in spite of myself: Justin will instantly recognize it as a nervous habit.  “There was this guy, Freddie, but it was nothing.”

He seems surprised, but if he’s hurt it doesn’t show.   “Did you guys go on a couple of dates, or...”

I’m afraid, Justin, the answer is ‘or’.  “It was really nothing.”  I break his gaze and stare around the lot, looking for some distraction.  I wish I had never said anything, but the words tumbled from my lips before I could stop them.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t be asking you about your sex life.”  Justin shrugs and smiles unexpectedly.  “It’s been so long since I’ve had sex I’ve lost all etiquette on the matter.  I've heard it's meant to be good."

The joke is enough to break the tension and I laugh, shaking my head.  A quiet sense of guilt that I didn’t know I had is lifted when Justin shrugs off my fling with Freddie.  It’s good to know that he doesn’t judge me for it, even though his opinion shouldn’t mean anything to me.

“I don't want to sound weird or anything...” he begins slowly, looking at me with a mischievous, almost flirtatious look that I haven’t seen in a long time.  “But do you remember when we tried that stupid sex position?”

“Well, I don’t know Justin, we tried a few,” I reply bashfully, hiding the surprise that the conversation has taken this turn.

“What was it called?  The Sleeping Tiger or some shit like that?”

I scramble through my memories, finally settling on one.  Justin and I were watching an indie French film about a fifteen-year old girl from some sleepy town who was sleeping with her tutor in Paris, or something along those lines.  We spent the whole movie wide-eyed at the graphic sex scenes, intricate sexual positions and frankly unnecessary close-ups of nipples.   Apparently that’s how it’s done across the pond.

“That was ridiculous,” I snort, waiving the image of the naked fifty-year old professor from my mind.  “Either my ass was too big, or your Magic Johnson wasn’t big enough.”

Justin laughs, a big, booming laugh that I love to hear from him.  “Do you remember?  We were lying down on our sides, and your legs –”

“Were not made to wrap around backwards,” I interrupt, putting my hands to my face in embarrassment.  The position involved having sex, while lying down with my back to his chest, while spooning, while wrapping my legs around his, while trying to get the necessary stuff in the necessary place so that it could be termed intercourse.  After two minutes we gave up and went missionary, thank goodness.

“Yeah, that was funny,” Justin finishes, smiling and rubbing his eyes, watery from laughing.  “Sorry, I don’t know where that came from.”

I smile and shrug.  “Hey, we got some funny stories between us.”

“Yeah,” he nods, “we sure do.”

“And I’m glad that we can talk like we used to.”

He nods, his eyes holding a sincerity that I find touching.  “It feels like we haven’t talked like this in so long.  Even before we broke up.”

In last five minutes, I had almost forgotten that Justin and I weren’t a couple anymore.  We stay for a moment, looking at each other as if seeing things we hadn’t seen before.  Looking back, Justin’s right; although our break-up was sudden, the final two months of our relationship - one spent together and the other with Justin in LA - were soured because we weren’t talking to each other properly.  Even though that lump wasn’t cancerous, it had a malignancy that took its effect on our relationship to the point of it breaking down. 

The awful thing is, when I look back and ask myself why I didn’t just tell Justin about it from the start, I don’t really have an answer.  

“We should probably get back into the party,” I say, softly.  I want to spend all night out here with Justin, but it’s not going to help any in my quest to stop harboring feelings towards him.  “But I’m glad we talked, I really am.”

“Me too,” he responds, nodding.

I smile and turn to leave, wondering where Trace is so that I can say happy birthday and that I’ve had a good night, but it’s time for me to be heading home.

But Justin grabs me by the wrist, turns my body towards him, and presses his lips against mine.

 

 
Chapter 33 by Teeny
Author's Notes:
Again, thank you so much for the reviews! I love establishing a dialogue with my readers and it just makes my day to read 'em.  I hope everyone enjoys this ridiculously long chapter!

 

My imagination runs away with me before I can stop it.

I imagine wrapping my arms around Cat’s waist.  Sliding my hands up the curve of her back and resting between her shoulder blades.  Pulling the zipper of her dress down.  The strapless red velvet falling to the ground.  I imagine Cat naked.

I imagine pushing her against the door of one of the parked cars.  Picking her up and wrapping her legs around my narrow waist.  I imagine her heels digging scratches into my back, leaving angry, red grooves of passion.  I imagine her scarlet lips pressing against my ear and whispering, ‘Fuck me.’  Entering her with such force that it takes her breath away.

What I don’t imagine is Cat pushing my body off of hers, stepping away from me, and covering her bruised lips with her fingers.   I don’t have to imagine it because that’s exactly what happens.

“Justin – what the hell are you doing?” 

“I-I...”  For some reason, the only thing running through my mind is if she’s wearing any underwear.

Justin,” Cat says harshly, pulling my wandering thoughts to the present.  She stares at me with blue eyes widened - as though I’m crazy, as though I’ve never kissed her before – waiting for an answer.

“Do you wanna go somewhere?”

What?!”

“Sorry, sorry,” I stutter, putting my head in my hands and trying to pull my mind from its passion-infused mush.  “I shouldn’t have said that.”

“Are you drunk?”

“No!”

“Then what are you doing?” she repeats, her features so stained with shock I can’t see if there’s anything else there: anger, offence, or, dare I hope, pleasure.  “You can’t just...I mean, what the hell...”

“Cat, I don’t know why I did that, I’m sorry.”

Cat pauses for the first time in our rapid, awkward back-and-forth, anxiously turning her purse over in her hands.  “You’re sorry?  Is that all you have to say?”

“Isn’t that what you want me to say?” I reply, my voice a few pitches higher.  So many things are coursing through my mind: confusion, embarrassment, surprise at my own actions. 

But, above all this, the animalistic urge to kiss her all over again.

She sighs loudly, throwing her arms up in exasperation.  “How the hell am I supposed to know?  I was hardly prepared for this, Justin.”

I remain silent, not trusting my lips to form anything comprehensible.  In fact, I don’t trust my lips to do anything at all.

Why did I kiss Cat?  I can’t explain it myself.  The moment she turned to leave it felt like the last chance I’d ever have to try and win her back; or to see if there was anything still there; or something, I don’t know.  The night was hitting her just right, reminding me of all the time I spent looking at that face; tracing its outline with my fingers and memorizing every detail.  I’m glad I did, because looking at her tonight brought it all back to me: how Cat’s eyebrows arch slightly over her eyes; how her lips pout quite unconsciously when she’s talking to someone; how her nose, lightly smattered with freckles, falls in a smooth slope from her forehead to a cute button.  It doesn’t matter what weight she is, her face will always be perfect to me.

 “I couldn’t help myself, Cat,” I reply with a shrug.  It’s the only thing I can think to say.

Cat is silent for just long enough to make me uncomfortable. She stares at me but her eyes show nothing, other than the cogs turning in her head.  What she’s thinking, I have no idea.

“Do you want me to come home with you tonight, Justin?” she asks finally, but softly, her eyes still holding mine.

Is there any point in lying?  “Yes.” 

“What will it mean if I do?  Is it just sex?”

“I don’t know.”

“Are we starting something again?” she asks, her voice edged with hardness.  “Because, Justin, I need to know.”

I sigh, shifting the stupid trilby on my head.  “I don’t know, Cat.  There’s still so much to sort out if we even wanted to be friends.  But, then...”  I trail off and run my eyes over her body as she turns her gaze to the ground shyly.  “I want you.”

“I just don’t want to rush into something we’ll regret,” she shrugs, eyes still fixed to the dirty asphalt.

I sweep my gaze over her again, feeling the ache to take her right here in the parking lot set itself in the pit of my stomach again.  It’s so difficult to reconcile all the hurt that Cat caused me in the past with how much I want her in the present.  So many parts of me want to throw this conversation out of the window and act on my impulses, but Cat’s right: what about tomorrow?  When the dress is off and my urges satisfied, how do I know all that hurt won’t just rush back and I’ll remember I can’t be with her?

“I should have remembered that kissing you causes me nothing but trouble,” Cat laughs darkly, shaking her head.  “God, I came to this party all prepared for the brush-off from you, but this...”

“Like I said, Cat,” I breathe in deeply, trying to make sense of all my hazy-edged feelings towards her.  “I still care about you.” 

“Really?” her eyes snap to mine, and I see all the apprehension and self-doubt that I’m so used to seeing in Cat’s expression.  But her face changes, and she shifts uneasily.  “Then maybe spending the night together isn’t a good idea.”

I pause, turning the thought over in my mind.  “Well, can we at least talk?”

“Sure.  What do you have to say?” she asks, folding her arms across her chest expectantly.

“Not here,” I roll my eyes, glancing at the bodyguards at the door and a group of drunken girls helping their apparently soon-to-be-vomiting friend a few feet away.

“Why don’t you come back to my apartment,” she suggests, “It’s, I dunno, neutral ground for the two of us.” 

“Fine,” I shrug, mentally allowing her dress to fall to the floor.  “And if something happens?”

A coy smile creeps onto her face, and she looks away shyly.  “Then it happens.”

----------

When it emerged no cab in New York was willing to drive to Brooklyn so late into the night, Cat and I borrowed Trace’s driver for the trip over the bridge.   I discarded Cat’s suggestion that we “Just hop on the N” immediately: at this time of night?  Even thinking of her making the journey home through the dirty, dangerous New York City subway in the middle of the night makes my stomach turn.

When we arrive at Cat’s place in Bensonhurst, my heart sinks.  I can’t imagine what she’s using to pay rent - her savings, probably, and the little money she’s getting for writing - and it shows.  The building is probably a hundred years old but manages to have absolutely no character, with a dirty, gray exterior and a window on the fourth floor smashed in.  I can’t believe Cat’s living here.

“The lock to my building is busted, so if you have anything valuable, I suggest you swallow it for the duration of your stay,” Cat says over her shoulder as she walks up the stairs to her apartment; which is thankfully on the top floor, away from the busted door lock.

“Isn’t this place crawling with Mafia?” I ask, my eyes fixed on her hips as they move from side to side with each step.  I am concerned for her living in a place like this, I really, I am...but I still want to put my hand up her dress.

“I dunno,” she shrugs, fiddling with her keys as we stand outside her door.  “I only just moved in a week ago.  Excuse the mess.”

Inside, there’s no mess; there’s not enough space for there to be mess.  I recognize the few pieces of furniture that used to be in my house in Tennessee looking decidedly out of place in her new home: the black velvety couch that she admitted to buying purely because it resembled the one in Central Perk from Friends (we put it in the games room); a quilt that she had had to stitch at school begrudgingly hung over the back of a chair (in Tennessee, it lay on the bed in the second guest room); a rich mahogany side table that her grandmother had given her (it used to be in the hall, where we’d dump the mail in the morning); a TV set with a VCR but no DVD – well, that I never used.  Come on, Cat, move into the twenty-first century. 

The apartment smells rich with the sharp smell of antiseptic, and I can only say I’m grateful Cat scoured the place with cleaning fluids.  I have to admit, it looks better inside than I thought it would judging from the exterior; but it’s still strange to see Cat’s life away from me so suddenly reduced down to a few pieces of furniture in a grotty little apartment.  I want to bring her back to my place, where my cleaning lady Sophia comes in once a week and the walls are freshly painted and all the locks work.  I want to save her from this shabby lifestyle, because she deserves so much more.

Cat stands nervously in the doorframe, following my eyes as they settle on the surroundings.  

“Drink?”

“No, I’m fine,” I shake my thoughts from my head and tear my eyes from what looks to be damp in the ceiling corner. 

She twists her hands.  “So, what did you want to t-”

Before the last word can leave her lips, I throw any propriety from my mind.  We can talk; we have to talk, but right now, all I want to do is close the gap between us and pull the length of her body against mine.

And that’s exactly what I do.

-------------

Well, I guess this means the talking is going to come later.

I know it’s not unusual to sleep with you ex.  I also know it’s not particularly healthy.

I wish someone would tell my lips that as they reciprocate Justin’s motions, moving against his like they always used to.  Or my arms, as they snake their way around Justin’s neck, pulling his body closer to mine.  Or my hands, as they quickly work to throw off that trilby with a ridiculous feather stuck in the headband.  Or my legs, as they stumble backwards, unsure of which direction to take but knowing the bedroom is somewhere to the west.

This time, I don’t pull back from Justin’s kiss.  I enjoy the soft but demanding nature of his lips as they play with my own, stirring up memories of hot, passionate clinches between the two of us in the past.  As I allow myself to fall into his kiss, I wonder how on earth I survived two months without it.

I pull Justin into my room and we fall in a tangled heap onto the crisp white cotton of my bed, grasping each other frantically.  One hand smoothes over the downy softness of his shaved head, pressing his lips against mine so that I can get more, more, more of him against me.  The other lies against his chest, feeling his heart beat rapidly beneath the palm of hand, growing more erratic with each passing second.

But my mind is far away from whatever my hands are doing: the only thing they can focus on is his hands, his touch, his body.  I bite his lips playfully in anticipation as his left hand follows the slit in my dress, gliding over my thigh and coming to a teasing stop on the top of my leg. 

A frenzied passion takes over us as we bite, pull and kiss each other to make up for the loss of time spent apart.  But, in spite of the speed of our passion, his hand massages the skin on my thigh at a frustratingly slow speed; rubbing his thumb in small circles, backwards, then forwards. 

And then, that tingling, glittery sensation glows in the pit of my stomach.  That feeling that only Justin can evoke.

“Justin, just...do it,” I moan, out of both pleasure and sheer annoyance.

He smirks.  “What do you want?”

“You know what I want,” I retort with a roll of the eyes.   Pouring my energy into half-hearted dirty talk will only distract from all the talking that Justin and I are going to have to do when this is all over; when we’ve exerted our passions on each other and are only left with the mess that has been there all along.

But that is the last thing on my mind.

His strong fingers slowly dip in between my thighs and start to rub against me, leaving the skin beneath the cotton of my underwear burning with his golden touch.  Without a word, he pushes my panties to the side and slides his fingers into me, eliciting a gasp I didn’t know I was holding in to escape my lips.

“Fuck, Justin,” I hiss, taking a breath for air as I dig my fingernails into his back.

“God, I’ve missed you, Cat.  I’ve missed all of you,” Justin murmurs as his lips drop kisses in the nook of my neck, his fingers still working against me.  “And I can tell you’ve missed me too.”

“Stop teasing,” I demand gruffly, pushing his hands from between my legs.  I immediately feel cold without his touch, but quickly go to work unbuttoning his shirt, sliding it over his shoulders and tossing it thoughtlessly to a forgotten corner in my room.

Justin reciprocates, arching my back to reach between my shoulders and pull the zipper of my dress down more quickly than it can unzip.  I smile slightly at his eagerness, before matching it by grappling with the belt around his middle.  I had forgotten about the torso now exposed to me: so hard and lean, with the grooves of his abs perfectly etched into his tan skin.

His boxers come off with the pants and he waits above me, perched on his elbows, as I shuffle out of my dress.  It’s an awkward and unsexy task to get the damn thing off, but the sooner I can get it to join the crumpled heaps of clothing on the floor, the better.

“Damn, you are wearing underwear,” Justin says with a smirk, casting his eyes over the horrendously ugly nude bra (strapless dresses demand the most disgusting of underwear) and black panties still encasing my body.

I roll my eyes, too frustrated and hasty to have him inside of me to even wonder what that’s supposed to mean.  Reaching behind to unclasp the bra and throw it as far away from me as possible (the one day I don’t wear underwear mildly attractive and I end up in bed with my ex – what are the chances?) , I take one final look at Justin.

There’s no way to describe Justin’s face right before sex.  His features harden with a resolute determination that he's going to perform his task well, but his eyes show nothing but a willingness to be with me; he looks at me, and has always looked at me, like I’m the most beautiful person in the world.  It’s a comfort to see that in a moment where I always feels so vulnerable.

Justin’s solemn expression breaks into a grin when he loses eye contact to dance his gaze over my body.  His eyes finally settle on my panties, before he hooks them with his thumbs and pulls them down my thighs with a wink.  They land somewhere between his socks and my bra.

I feel suddenly shy, exposed to him as I am; but before apprehension can take a hold of me, his hands pull my thighs apart and he pushes inside of me in one smooth movement.

We lay there for a moment.  Still and waiting, allowing our bodies time to adjust to each other before they realize this isn’t something new, but rather something they’re going back to.

And then, he starts to move.  First, slow and gentle strokes that fill me and tantalizingly awaken every unused sensory pore, Justin’s body meeting mine in a very gentle ecstasy.  But then, his movements start to quicken and become more demanding, until our bodies are crashing together in a syncopated, angry dance.  My fingernails etch scratches into the moving muscles of his back as he grunts, pushing deeper and deeper until I put a hand on his shoulder to calm his thrusts.

“God, Cat, you feel amazing,” he whispers roughly into my ear, pausing for a moment to bite at the soft flesh of my earlobe.  “So fucking amazing.”

“You do too,” I reply, bringing my legs round to lock behind his waist.

Justin suddenly slips his hands underneath my back and pulls me up in his arms, until my body is straddling his as he sits on the bed.  I begin to make my own moves on him, alternating between a frantic pace and a slower, more sensual speed that makes him dig his fingers into the soft flesh of my backside.

I know he’s close when his breath hitches in his throat and his eyes clamp shut.  Justin pulls me closer to him than I already am, resting his forehead between my breasts as I continue rolling my hips, moving up and down on his tense body as his fingers dig into my waist.

“Cat –” he begins desperately, his eyes still held shut.

“It’s okay,” I murmur into the softness of his short hair, resting my lips on his head and my hands on the back of his neck.  “I’m here.”

-------

When it’s over, our bodies remain in their closed off, protective hugging position as we cradle each other gently.  I know what I want to say – what I always say after we’ve had intense, passionate sex – I love you.  But I don’t want to ruin the moment of quiet bliss with talk of our relationship.

On a side note: why does the sex have to be so much better when you’re not with the person anymore?  It seems a cruel trick of the Fates that the last twenty minutes with Cat were as good as at least three one night stands put together. 

After keeping that second thought to myself along with the first, we slowly uncurl from our position and lay down beside each other on the rumpled bed, the sea of disheveled clothes bringing the reality of what had just happened to us.     

We give each other time to regain our senses; catch up on the breathing that we had forgotten to do in the heat of climax.  My body groans its thanks to be relieved sexually as my mind laughs its ass off, saying, “You just couldn’t keep your hands off her for two seconds, could you?”

We lay side by side, untouching, in silence; wondering just how long to leave it before one of us has to break the sexual reverie and remind us why we’re really here.  It’s sort of scary as we wait for the other to go first, knowing that once we do start talking we’ll be up all night, because there are just so many things to say.  Should I say I’m sorry for how I broke things off with her?  Should I ask her why she moved on so quickly when I wasn’t ready to?  Should I tell her just how much I’ve missed how things used to be?  Should I ask her to have sex with me again, because it felt so damn good?

“Justin, I’ve had a lot of time to think over everything that happened between us.”   Cat’s voice, smooth but vulnerable, breaks through the dark silence of the bedroom.

Thank God, she’s going first.

“And I know that I was the base for a lot of our problems,” she says slowly, staring straight above her at the slats of wood in the ceiling as she speaks.  “I lied, I tried to be someone I wasn’t, I just...I completely lost myself in our relationship.  I was so involved with you that I completely forgot about me.” 

Cat stops, goes over her words in her head, before rolling her eyes and rubbing them with her hands.  “That sounds stupid.   Our relationship was great and God, did I love you...”

I love you too, Cat.

“But I’ve been fucked up for a long time now, and with all the changing – moving to New York, all this attention on me, the new people that were suddenly involved in our lives – it sparked something off in me.  I just wanted things back to how they used to be, but in the process I fucked everything up.”

“Do you think...” I begin, shifting my gaze from her to the ceiling, unable, as she was, to look at the other while talking.  “Do you think this would have happened if we hadn’t moved to New York?”

“Probably,” Cat responds helplessly.  I feel her eyes bore a hole into the side of my face.  “We were so comfortable in Tennessee, it would have taken something big to shake us.  But it would have happened.”

I shrug a response to show I agree with her.  No one could have coasted along as happily as Cat and I did for much longer than we did; especially not with everything that was going on with her.  No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t help her with all that insecurity.  And I did try, really hard.

I touch on something that has been plaguing me for a long time; something that Cat’s never really offered me an explanation for.  “The lump.”

There’s silence from the left side of the bed.  I swallow hard, hoping she’ll answer and hoping that, if she does, it’ll shed some clarity on a situation that I still don’t understand.  Why didn’t she tell me?

“That was something I was totally unprepared for,” Cat replies blandly, as though there’s no other way to say it.  “I handled it badly, I know.  But I was scared, Justin; I thought I was going to die.  We were the last thing on my mind.”

“Cat, I’m not gonna lie,” I begin, turning my body on its side to face the rigid form lying beside me.  “I wish you had told me.”

“I know,” she whispers, stealing at glance at me from the corner of her eye.  “I wish I had told you too.”

“Did you feel as though you couldn’t?  Did you think I was too immature to deal with it?  Was it me?”  The words fall from my mouth in a stream of desperate, anxious questions, laying my insecurities out for Cat to see.

Cat turns her head to meet my eyes and she slowly shakes her head.  With one hand, she reaches over and cups my cheek with the palm of her hand, scanning my face with her eyes in such a probing way that I feel more than naked beneath her stare.  The smoothness of her skin soothes the rough stubble on my cheek, and I lean into her touch. 

Wordlessly, I place a small kiss on the delicate skin on her wrist.

“Justin...” she sighs as my lips graze against her.

“I can’t help it,” I murmur against her wrist, taking her hand in mine and turning it over to kiss the skin on the back of her hand.  “I want you, Cat.”

“But, Justin –”

“I’m sorry,” I interrupt her hastily, lowering her hand onto the pillow between us, but keeping our fingers entwined.  “For everything.  For not being more supportive after I found out about the lump; for going off to LA when we had so much to sort out; for breaking up with you the way I did.”

Cat stares at me, wide eyed.  “I wasn’t looking for an apology, Justin.  I understand why you acte-”

“But I meant what I said.  I wasn’t in love with whoever it was that you were trying to be when I came back from LA; I don’t know who the hell that girl was.”

“I was confused, Justin.  I could feel my relationship crumbling because of something I had done and I wanted to do anything I could to salvage it.”

“By going to the gym?”

Cat pulls her hand from my grasp and starts to roll away from me.  “It was stupid, I know that now.”

“But, whatever,” I shake my head in confusion and wrap my fingers around her wrist to stop her movements.  “I gave up on us too easy, and I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t have bailed the first time the goin’ got tough.”

“Well...I’m sorry too.  And I hope you know that.”

An easy silence falls between us.  I guess because we had such a long time of not talking that when we did, it all came out pretty succinctly.  The only thing that we haven’t touch on – what happens now.

“So...does this mean we’re friends again?” Cat ventures lightly, hitting the pillow that her head lies on.

“To be honest?” I sigh, disliking the words about to leave my mouth but knowing I can’t stop them.  “So much has gone on between us, Cat.  I don’t think I could ever go back to being one of your friends.”

Her brows furrow with hurt.  I can see it etched all over her expression in the few inches that separate our faces.  “Why?  I said I’m sorry.”

“I know, and we can forgive each other all we want, but... it doesn’t change that there was something really intense here.  How can I go back to seeing you as just one of my friends after everything we’ve been through?”

Cat lowers her eyes, swallowing a lump in her throat.  “So, what are you saying?”

I muster every fiber of strength in my tired, sexed body.  Scenes from our relationship and its demise flash through my head, the memories showing some of the best moments in my life and some of the worst.  But then, that was always how it was with Cat: you took the good with the bad.  I knew that when there was a period where everything was great, an argument that would send us both into spirals of depression for a few days, before we made up and started the whole process over again. 

It was a rollercoaster, and I loved it.

“Do you wanna give this whole thing another shot?”

Cat’s eyes snap to mine in surprise, her eyebrows arched with shock.  “What?”

“Just...I dunno, turn a new leaf.  Start afresh.  Put the past behind us.”

“But we can’t put the past behind us, Justin,” Cat whispers, apparently feeling no need to raise her voice in the still darkness of her bedroom.  “It’s part of us.  We can’t just forget about it.”

“Why not?” I complain, my voice coming out far more whiney than I had anticipated.  “I just want things back to the way they were.”

Cat bites down on her bottom lip, the moonlight that creeps through the window above her bed casting light on eyes glittering with tears. 

“I do too.  But I don’t know if that’s going to happen.”

“Don’t you want to be with me, Cat?” I plead, feeling my heart break with every morose expression that flickers across her features.

“I do.  I did.”  Cat groans and shakes the tears from her eyes.  “I don’t know, Justin.”

“So, what,” I snap bitterly, the rejection causing a defensive surge to pour from me.  I pull myself into a sitting position.  “A goodbye fuck and that’s it?”

“It’s not that at all.  I just...I don’t think we can ever go back to what we were, Justin.  We’re both too different for that; we’ve grown up.”

“Whatever,” I mutter, throwing the white sheet off in disgust as I pinpoint my scattered articles of clothing.  “If that’s how you feel, I’m going home.”

“What?” Cat sits up and watches as I hop ridiculously around her small bedroom, trying to put my boxers on with one hand while picking up my trilby with the other.

“You obviously don’t feel the same way about me as I do about you,” I spit, wishing I could sound more dignified but know that it’s impossible when I’m not wearing pants.  “There ain’t no point hanging around to hear the rest.”

“You’re being a little rash,” Cat sighs in an annoyingly grown up manner, pulling the sheet up around her chest.  “I never said I didn’t want to get back together, I just don’t think it’s as easy as you’re saying it is.”

She trails off and watches me for a moment extricate my clothing from hers, tossing her panties off my shirt in forced annoyance.  Secretly, I kind of want to keep them.

“Stay,” she says, her naked body emerging from the sheets to put a hand around my wrist.  “Just stay the night and we can talk things over in the morning.”

I pause, holding my trilby in my right hand and with one foot successfully in the leg of my boxers. 

“It’s four am, for Christ sake, we can’t think clearly at this time,” Cat reasons, pulling slightly at my arm and pointing toward the clock sitting on her side table.  “Just come back to bed.”

I drop the trilby pathetically, and step out of my boxers slowly.  As much as I hate to admit, leaving isn’t even an option.  I have no cab fare on me, no other person I could catch a ride off...I’m stranded.

“Come here,” she soothes, enveloping me in a hug that puts a balm on my firework temper.  “Let’s just enjoy tonight and sort it all out tomorrow.”

I sigh and nod against her chest as we fold into one of our old sleeping positions, tangling our limbs together in an intricate, vine-like intertwine.  As I rest my head against her chest, I feel her heart beat ease to a more normal rate, telling me our little argument had a greater effect on her than she’s willing to show.   

But I know Cat.  Despite all of her soothing words and gentle kisses, I know that when I wake up tomorrow morning, there’s a good chance she’ll be saying the exact same thing to me.

How can we change everything that has already happened?  I’m sorry, Justin,  I just don’t love you anymore.  It’s over.

Chapter 34 by Teeny

 

It’s funny how things always look so different in the morning. 

 

For one thing, the fall is coming.  When I pull myself out of bed and ease the curtains open, the street is decorated with scattered auburn leaves.  This summer hasn’t brought me much happiness, and I smile as another handful of leaves dance their way down from the trees lining the sidewalk, resting on the dirty asphalt.

 

I take a look around my still so new surroundings, mildly embarrassed that I brought Justin back here last night instead of going back to his nice, clean, sanitary apartment, which in no way violates any New York City health codes.  It was the thought of returning to that apartment: to our bed, our sheets, our bathroom with matching toothbrushes.  The experience would have been too painful. 

 

But still, as clean morning light pours through the passionately scrubbed window (there had been a small army of dead insects resting on the sill that had to be evicted), I can’t help but see my tiny, low-rent apartment through Justin’s eyes.  I’ve never been made to feel as though I have something to prove to him, but who wants their ex to know that the minute they leave them their living standards drop from the Plaza to hobo chic?  I must remember to hide that mouse trap in the bathroom, even if there is some comic value that my current residence is more suitable to vermin that human inhabitation.

 

Oh good, a drunk is pissing in the street below us.  Perhaps I’ll close the curtains after all.

 

Behind me, I hear a shifting motion as Justin sits up, rubs his eyes blearily, and looks around.

 

“Morning,” I offer meekly, suddenly very aware that I slept with him last night and I’d gladly do it again if he so much as suggested it.

 

No.  Sex confuses everything.  Once was fine, excusable even...the man is gorgeous after all...but a morning roll around would just be ridiculous.

 

Even though I really, really want to.

 

“Hey,” he murmurs, and I almost laugh at how childish he looks in the morning.  Like a six year old woken for breakfast when all he wants to do is suck his thumb and return to dreamland.

 

But he doesn’t.  He coughs, runs his hands over his face once more and swings his legs over the side of the bed.

 

“Can you see my pants?”

 

“Um,” I scan the room half-heartedly, my hands closed over a cup of coffee.  “They’ll be in here somewhere.”

 

He bends forward and picks up his shirt, easing it over his shoulders as the muscles in his back dance and flex invitingly.  I want to run my fingers over them.

 

“Are you leaving?” I ask, a note of surprise in my voice.

 

“Are you going to stop me?” he tosses over his shoulder, pausing to cock his head in my direction by the window. 

 

His eyes meet mine defiantly in a look that I am unprepared for.  I almost snap, “Why the attitude?”, but know Justin will still be feeling sore after last night.  It’s funny, for someone who claims to be so confident and at ease with himself, he really doesn’t like someone saying no to him.

 

I shift uneasily, wishing I had put on more than just some underwear and a tank top when I woke up.  “Well, I thought...I thought we were going to talk.”

 

Justin sighs, his head dropping as he runs his hands over his bare legs.  “Sorry.  I don’t mean to be...sorry.  I’m just a little confused, is all.” 

 

“I am too,” I reply, staring into the deep black of my coffee sitting in the white cup.  “But let’s not argue today, huh?  We’re both confused, and getting all het up won’t help anything.”

 

He nods.  “I know.”

 

The hazy, twisted memory of last night’s confrontation emerges from my mind.  Justin’s voice suggesting we leap back into our relationship and this horrible, evil demon in the back of my head telling me to jump back in would be a huge mistake.  Even though getting back together with Justin was all I wanted to do, there’s something stopping me.  Maybe it’s the knowledge of what it is to break up with him: like being torn in two, and I couldn’t do it again.  It hurt too much, too recently.

 

I attempt to articulate the thickness of my jumbled thoughts.  “I just feel so –”

 

“Perplexed?” he offers, again turning his head to meet my gaze over his shoulder.  But this time, his eyes are kind, not confrontational.

 

“Yeah,” I smile, a sense of ease coming over me.  “That’s a big word for a guy who doesn’t have his pants on yet.”

 

He laughs slightly, shrugging boyishly.  “Trace and I have started to do the crossword together in the paper.  Figured that now we’re closer to thirty than twenty we’d better stop being such a pair of dumb asses.”

 

“You do the crossword together?” I raise an eyebrow.  “How sweet, and yet homoerotic.”

 

His smile meets his eyes as he stands up, pulling his boxers quickly over his legs.  I have the courtesy to look down into my coffee, although the temptation to ask whether he’s woken up excited is strong.

 

Oh Cat, for goodness sake.  Stop being so immature.  You’re one step away from calling it a “boner.”

 

“I bet you ten dollars Trace knew this was gonna happen,” Justin smirks, resting his hands on his hips as he surveys last night’s damage.  Clothes are strewn across the floor like forgotten garbage.  “The kid’s smarter than we give him credit for.”

 

I look up from my cup only to roll my eyes.  “Anyone who attends a Halloween costume party dressed up as a pedophile deserves to be credited with no intelligence whatsoever.”

 

“Oh yeah,” Justin exclaims, shaking his head with a boyish smile.  “Jeez, was that a year ago already?”

 

“Coffee?” I suggest brightly, ignoring the question before I dwell on happier times.  “I just put on some organic, freshly ground, genuinely Cuban crap that I bought from Starbucks for too much money.”

 

He frowns.  “But you never drink coffee in the morning.”

 

“I do now,” I shrug, making my way towards the door to take the five steps through the hallway to the kitchen.  I don’t mention to him that the only reason I drink coffee now is to replace the several hundred calorie hot chocolate I used to love so much.

 

“You’re so...grown up, Cat,” Justin muses as he takes a sit in one of the mismatched kitchen chairs.  “So independent.  All of this,” he gestures to the embarrassingly humble surroundings, “I’m so glad that you’ve managed to pull it all off.”

 

“Thanks,” I slide a cup of coffee across the table, remembering briefly Justin’s phase of calling it ‘Jack’ rather than ‘Joe.’  Smartass.  “It’s not much, but...it’s the best I can do.”

 

“No,” he shrugs away my embarrassment.  “It’s great.  Okay, the place could do with being in a safer neighborhood, but it’s really great the way you’ve...pulled yourself together.”

 

I remain silent, sliding into the chair opposite him and circling the rim of my cup with my fingers.  In the time that we spent apart, I must have played over what I wanted to say to Justin a million times in my head.  Sometimes I told him how angry I was at him, at me, at how we let things get so bad.  Sometimes I told him I love him and we reunited with a passionate kiss.  Sometimes we ended up back together, sometimes we didn’t.

 

But now that he’s here, sitting across from me on the wooden, scrubbed pale brown table, and we’ve slept together, and I know he wants to give things another shot, and something still feels so off between us...well, my little pre-prepared speeches seem pretty stupid now.

 

“So who’s this guy?”

 

“What guy?” my brows furrow in confusion, hiding the relief that Justin started what feels like the millionth conversation about our relationship.

 

“The guy, I don’t know his name...” Justin trails off, scratching at the surface of the table.  “The guy you were, you know.”

 

I sigh.  Freddie – I should have known he would come up eventually.  “It was a one night deal.  He’s a friend of a friend.”

 

“Name?”

 

“Freddie.”

 

“Freddie, Freddie...” he turns the name over in his mind, as though memorizing it.  “Stupid name.  Nothing good comes from being called Freddie.”

 

I laugh in spite of myself.  “What about Buffy’s husband?  That actor?”

 

“Freddie Prinze Junior?” Justin raises his eyes to meet mine in contempt.  “You obviously never saw any of his movies.”

 

“I did not,” I admit with a smile.  “I must have been too busy getting an education.”

 

Justin laughs slightly under his breath, before his gaze turns uncomfortable again, returning to look at the wooden surface.   “So you two just...”

 

“Yeah,” I shrug, a blush flooding my cheeks.  Thank God he’s not looking at me anymore.  “We were both drunk, but I knew what I was doing.  I guess I...I don’t know, wanted a release, or to prove I could, or something.  It just happened.”

 

Justin nods in understanding, his eyes glued to the table top.  “I can’t pretend it doesn’t bother me a bit.”

 

“In what way?”

 

“In the jealous way,” he admits somewhat sheepishly, his eyes flitting to mine quickly.  “It’s not just that I haven’t slept with anyone else, but the thought of you with someone...” he sighs.  “I know it’s kinda weird and possessive, but you know me.”

 

I do know Justin, and I know that even at the height of our relationship he was always jealous.  In the most minor of ways: wanting to know how many people I’d slept with, getting all angry when another guy got too close to me.  Sure, most people dislike seeing someone hitting on your significant other, but Justin took it so much further than most people.  It was so stupid and irrational, especially when considering the perfectly formed God that was feeling all that jealousy. 

 

“Of course you’re going to feel a little jealous, Justin, but...”  I pause, unsure of how to phrase my words.  “But you have to grow out of that.  That whole insecure, overprotective thing you did when we were together...it was all so unnecessary.”

 

“So what are you saying, you felt smothered or something?”

 

I shrug.  “No, not really, I just can’t understand why you thought you had anything to be jealous of.  Take Sean – you hated that I still worked with him when we were dating.”

 

“That’s what any guy would feel!” he justifies weakly.  “It’s bad enough that you were friends with your ex, let alone being cubicle buddies to top it off.”

 

“That's understandable, but you would never let it go.  I mean, really Justin, be honest with yourself.  You knew you were never going to lose me to some other guy.”

 

“But I did lose you, Cat,” Justin emphasizes, frowning.  “Okay, I was a little possessive, but only because I knew how fucking gut-wrenching it would be if we broke up.”  He shakes his head.  “I didn’t even imagine it would be this bad.” 

 

“I couldn’t go through it again,” I agree, pulling the dark days immediately following our break up from my memory and wincing.  “It took effort to cry that much.”

 

“Didn’t seem to me like you were having too much trouble,” he shrugs.  “Moving out as quickly as you did and everything.”

 

“I couldn’t be around you, Justin,” I shake my head, my eyes resting on his shaved temple.  “I had to be by myself.”

 

“And what about now?”  The question comes out of nowhere and fast, stinging me.  “Can you stand to be around me now?”

 

“Justin,” I sigh.  “Don’t be like that.  I’m just being honest with you.”

 

He bows his head in apology.  He pauses, pushing the now cold, untouched coffee away from him,  and raises his eyes to meet my gaze straight on.  “Can I be honest with you now?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“I think you have an eating disorder.”

 

It takes a moment for the thought to sink in, and when it does I stifle a laugh.  “Justin, I’m a size eight.  You can’t have an eating disorder at this size.”

 

“What do you mean, ‘this size’?” he says impatiently, rolling his eyes in the way he always does when I criticize myself.  “You’re a totally average weight, you always were.”

 

“You said it,” I shrug off his comments with a flick of the hand.  “If I’m totally average, then I can’t have an eating disorder.”

 

“It’s not just a physical thing, Cat, it’s mental.  And even you can’t deny you are completely fucked up when it comes to your body.”

 

“Everyone has their insecurities,” I begin defensively, only to be interrupted.

 

“Cut the bullshit, Cat, you know what I mean.”

 

A silence hangs in the air between us.  Suddenly, I don’t feel like laughing anymore.

 

“Justin, I’m not starving myself, I’m not bulimic – I’m fine.”

 

“But are you happy?” he probes, staring at me intently.  “I know you were unhappy with your body before, Cat, but at least we could still chow down on fast food without too much fuss. But now you just seem so...bored.  And judging by your diet, I’m not surprised.”  His eyes leave mine and sweep the counters, resting on a two granola bars and an apple.

 

“Well, obviously it’s not the most exciting of things, eating healthily,” I shrug.  “You should know, you watch what you eat.”

 

“Hardly,” he rebukes with a shot of his eyes heavenwards.  “I try to keep the MacD’s to once a week, but that’s about it.  I still maintain a healthy relationship with food.”

 

Now it’s my turn to get angry.  “Keep the Dr Phil trash talk to yourself, Justin.  I do have a healthy relationship with food.”

 

The moment the words leave my mouth, I know they’re a lie.  Food has always been the enemy, be it that I wanted it but couldn’t have it, or hated it but had to eat it.  I could tell Justin exactly what’s in my refrigerator at the moment, and furthermore tell him how many grams of fat is in each meal I’ve planned for the week.  This isn’t something that’s just started recently: I’ve always tortured myself with calorie contents and fat percentages, even if I ate the damn thing anyway.  I’d eat it and then force myself into a shame spiral at having a lack of self control.  I’ve never just enjoyed food for what it is.

 

Justin watches as recognition floods my features.  He doesn’t say anything, even though he’s just been proven right.

 

“Maybe you should get some help.”

 

“Oh God no,” I groan, putting my head in my hands.  “There’s nothing a shrink could tell me that I don’t know already.  Look,” I give myself a shake.  “I know that it could become a – a problem – but I’m keeping an eye on it.”

 

“Good,” he nods, apparently satisfied.  “I care about you so much, Cat.  For something so stupid to ruin your life...it would kill me.”

 

Something tugs at my stomach as I carefully reach across the table to place my hand on his.  “Thanks, Justin.  You mean a lot to me too.  You always will.”

 

The silence is thick and comfortable as the words reverberate between the two of us.  There’s a peace before I break it by clapping my hands together and standing up.

 

“This has all gotten too serious.”

 

Justin’s eyes widen at my sudden movement.  “I guess.”

 

“Why don’t we have some fun?  Get out of the apartment?”  I offer him a smile.  “Unless you want to stay inside on this beautiful fall day and talk about our feelings s’more.”

 

A chuckle escapes and he shrugs.  “I think my feelings have taken about as much as they can in the last twelve hours.”

 

“Then let’s do something; forget all about it.”

 

“Like what?” Justin asks, an amused half-smile creeping onto his face at the sudden key change in the mood.

 

“I don’t know...go for a walk, go to the movies, go to a museum.  Just do something.”

 

Justin’s smirk widens, his eyes dancing over my body.  His gaze rests somewhere between my panties and my thighs.  “Well, if you’re looking for something to do, we could do...it.”

 

My smile reaches my face before my blush does.  “That wasn’t exactly what I had in mind.”

 

“No?” he questions, slowly rising from his seat.  “Because I did notice you noticin’ me this morning.”

 

“I don’t think I was,” I deny hotly, cringing with embarrassment that Justin had caught wind of my juvenile thoughts about his...well, ‘boner.’ 

 

“Oh come on, Cat, we already did it last night.  What’s the harm in repeating it this morning?” he closes the gap between us with a crooked, devastatingly sexy grin on his face.  I almost melt when he places his hands on my hips to pull me towards him, but exert a degree of self-control.

 

“Justin, do you think this is wise?”

 

“Wise?  Wisdom is overrated.”  He bends to kiss my neck.  I can’t even stop him, because to swat Justin away from my body feels so unnatural – we had months and months of touching, kissing, flirting with each other, so there’s a relaxed comfort in being together physically that is yet to dissipate. 

 

“I’m serious.” I push him away unwillingly.  “We can’t just sleep together whenever the mood takes us.  That’s a dangerous game to play with an ex.”

 

“Then, why not un-ex each other,” he says solemnly, the lust leaving his eyes to be replaced with seriousness.  “Cat, it seems so stupid to dance around this thing.  We still care about each other and we want to have sex.  Aren’t those the two components to a great relationship?”

 

“For most, maybe,” I shrug, struggling to have a serious conversation with him in such proximity.  “But not for us, we’re too complicated for that.”

 

“Cat,” Justin sighs, cupping my face in his hands.  “You’ve got your problems, and I’ve got mine.  We’ve talked them over.”

 

“We’ve talked some of them over, and not in particular detail.”

 

He rolls his eyes.  “What else is there to say?  It’s always the same thing: we talk, we get angry, and then we wanna get into bed.”  He smiles hopefully.  “Hell, that’s our entire relationship summed up right there.”

 

I can’t help but return his grin.  “It’s not that simple.”

 

“I get it,” he returns to his serious expression.  “You need your own independence, I can’t be suffocating you all the time.  Before I was a little too...I don’t know, too focused on you.  I wasn’t working, I wasn’t seeing many other people, my whole being revolved around you.”  He shrugs.  “But it’s different now; I can give you your space.”

 

Well, the boy does make a compelling case.  It was only after we broke up that I realized how cocoon-like our existence in Tennessee had been, and how dangerous that proximity became when we moved to New York.  We had nothing but each other to occupy our time with, and so life became entirely about the other person.  Sure, it’s cute and that’s what’s so great about relationships, having that special someone, but they can’t be who you are.

 

That was my biggest mistake, and one I’ve made before with men.  I made my life all about him, so when he was gone there was nothing left.

 

But now, I have a life of my own, a life for myself.  I have an apartment, a job, a group of friends.   I have my own priorities that have nothing to do with anyone else, but are for me alone.  Justin's right: our relationship would be far more balanced, far more stable now that we have other things apart from each other.

 

“And you got your problems too, Cat.  I don’t even have to say ‘em, you know damn well what they are – they’ve been the same freakin’ issues from day one.”

 

I lower my eyes in embarrassment.  He’s right on that one too – no one needs to tell me I need to get a grip on myself and stop this insecure bullshit if I don’t want it to ruin everything...well, that which hasn’t been ruined already.

 

“I just...I just don’t feel comfortable jumping right back to where we were.  I don’t know if I can go back to being your girlfriend right away.”

 

Justin considers this, before nodding and moving away from me a fraction of an inch.  “Well, let’s take it slow.  Start all over.”

 

He holds up a finger before I can interrupt him.  “Only this time we’ll know exactly where we went wrong before, so we won’t make the same mistakes again.”

 

“In theory,” I smile bashfully, a warm feeling settling in the pit of my stomach.

 

“In theory.”

 

A strange sensation washes over me as I search for a label of some sorts; a way to term this new relationship built with Justin – it feels strange building something new on a something that has been there for so long.  Are we seeing each other?  Working things out?  Dating?

 

“So, if we’re starting all over, that probably means no sex,” Justin muses thoughtfully, breaking contact with me to lean against the table.  “Unless, of course, you’re the kind of girl that puts out on the first date.”

 

“Well, we haven’t technically had our first date yet,” I grin, staring at my ex-boyfriend, my friend, and my prospective boyfriend all in one go.

 

“We’ve had coffee!” he insists indignantly, gesturing to the two coffee cups, one lipstick stained and one untouched, behind him.  “That deserves something.  Second base, at least.”

 

I smile, the familiar sensation of Justin flirting with me so shamelessly arousing the giggle that had laid dormant for so long.  “You know I don’t like it when you compare sex to sports.  It just ruins it!”

 

“A kiss, then,” he prompts, a sly grin etching onto his cocky face.

 

I sigh, knowing the battle with Justin's charm has been long lost.  “If I must.”

 

And without any hesitation, or any apprehension, or any unfamiliarity, I wrap my arms around Justin’s neck and bring his lips towards mine.

 

Perhaps this break up was just what we needed to put ourselves back together again, to get to know each other and put right all the things that went wrong.  Perhaps Justin and I will, over time, become a couple again, and resurrect everything that was so right in our relationship.  Perhaps re-entering each other’s lives was the smartest decision we’ve ever made.

 

Or perhaps it really is over, and neither of us are willing to admit it.

 

 

End Notes:

Sorry for the delayed update girlies!  I was out for two weeks with flu (regular, not swine...although the thought did cross my mind) so writing came second to feeling like death.  More importantly, a gorgeous blue ribbon has appeared beside This Love and it's a featured story!  YAY!  Whoever did this own up please, so I can heap adoration upon you.  Thanks for reading!  I hope you enjoyed this chapter =)

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1387