Under the Stage by MrsTimberlake18
Summary: you were childhood pals and suddenly she's lost.you get your dream job but cant share it with the one you love.you search for the one you lost all those years ago.will you ever find her? or will you always wonder about the girl who mysteriously vanished?
Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Group, Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Romance, Suspense
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 10754 Read: 16160 Published: Jun 29, 2009 Updated: Jul 12, 2009
Story Notes:
very bad summary but ive gotten good reviews on other sites so i hope you like it. once we get to chapter5, it might get rocky but i promise you, it'll pick back up. not giving anything away but the suspense will come in pieces, you'll see.

1. my buttercup by MrsTimberlake18

2. chance at stardom? by MrsTimberlake18

3. but why? / lost fan? by MrsTimberlake18

4. Sweet Treats by MrsTimberlake18

5. under the exterior by MrsTimberlake18

6. please no by MrsTimberlake18

7. lost again by MrsTimberlake18

8. Please...let me love you by MrsTimberlake18

my buttercup by MrsTimberlake18

It was a nice spring day in Millington, Tennessee. There were tons of kids, especially the ones too young for school, playing. Lynn helped her five year old son from the carseat and set him on the ground. The little boy with a head full of curls and blue eyes took off across the grass.

“Justin Randall, be careful!” Lynn yelled after him. He immediately slowed down but continued for the slide. He had fun sliding a few times and Lynn sat on the bench with a book in hand so she could keep an eye out.

When Justin reached the bottom of the slide, he saw a little girl in the sandbox a few feet away. He was always a curious baby but still very shy. She was just about to reach for the bucket of sand when she started whimpering. The shy boy walked closer, worried about her, and saw a huge spider on the wood.

He was scared of spiders, even at this young age, but he picked up a toy truck and slammed it on the creature. The girl let out a little squeal before bursting into tears. Looking around, Justin didn’t see anyone come to comfort her. Where was her mommy or daddy? Doing the only thing his little mind knew, he engulfed her in a hug while speaking a mix of words his mom would say to him and babbling. Suddenly he heard his mother calling his name. “Justin, you know better than to run off that far.”

“Sowwy, Momma. She hurted,” he answered, tears welling in his own eyes.

Lynn then noticed the girl in her son’s arms. She couldn’t have been more than a year or two younger than him; big blue eyes that were tear streaked. And she had the most beautiful hair – wavy curls that were a cross between strawberry blonde and dirty blonde. She looked where the boy pointed and made a face before she said, “that was very nice of you, Justin. Looks like you made a new friend. What's your name, sweetie?”

“J-j-a-ane,” the little girl struggled to make her mouth muscles work.

“That’s such a pretty name, Jane.”

“Momma?” Justin asked in a small voice. “I don’ see her mommy or daddy. Can I keep her?” His eyes were wide and innocent.

Lynn chuckled at the innocent question and said they’d look first. She looked over her shoulder when she heard hurried footsteps. “Is this your beauty?”

The woman, no more than 30, nodded frantically. She was out of breath and had another child who looked about eight, clinging to her. “I’m sorry. This one ran off, I didn’t mean to leave Jane alone; I hope she didn’t cause any trouble.”

“Not at all, it looks like our kids made friends.” The two moms looked at the little ones and watched as Justin tipped the bucket over after Jane filled it with sand. And of course he checked it for spiders first.
---
From that day on, the kids were inseparable. Jane was four and Justin was five but they got along just fine. They played just about everyday. Bianca had told Lynn that Jane was born with various problems. She had muscle issues where they were too tight and would spasm; hence her getting small pink leg braces a few months before. She also wasn’t talking much yet, probably due to certain brain damage, but they were assured if they just talked to her enough then she’d catch up.

When Jane would go to the hospital for physical therapy, Justin would wait for her when he got out of school. They then found out that even though they lived in the country and houses were spaced out, they were basically neighbors. The kids would play and end up worn out by dinner time.

When they turned seven or eight, Justin started noticing Jane was different from him. He came home from school, waiting for her small bus to arrive. They went to the same school, E.E. Jeter, but she was in a smaller class for kids with special needs. He walked up to Lynn and Paul and asked, “momma, daddy, why does Jane have to be in a different classroom? Why is she on a different bus? Why can't she run around with me?”

He had such a confused look and the adults wondered how to explain it where he would understand. “Well, son, remember how Jane’s in a wheelchair? That’s because her legs don’t work like yours,” his dad answered.

“And she’s in a different class because she needs a little more help than the other kids. I know you wish you could run with her but she can't, ok? But you guys do other things together just fine,” his mom smiled.

Justin thought for a minute, his little face scrunching up. “Oh, ok! Well, I’ll help her and she’ll be better. Trace will too!” he beamed enthusiastically. He then ran off as the bus pulled up, immediately pushing her chair across the gravel as much as his little body could. They were quickly joined by Trace and the three played and rolled around.

Between the age of 2 to 10 (he met Jane at 5), Justin had always been around music. Going down to Beale street was a regular occurrence for family and friends and he would also sing in church. He sang harmony almost right away and everyone was amazed by the talent the boy possessed. He was entered into all sorts of pageants and little fairs, placing really high scores. Even winning a good amount of them. He would perform for anyone, mostly singing country or blues songs, and all the little girls liked him. Him, Trace and a few other boys entered the school talent show in third grade. The boys lip-synched to New Kids on the Block but when Justin’s part came, he turned on his mic and belted the tune. As soon as there names were mentioned; the crowd roared. Girls chased them in the halls wanting autographs. They were very popular.

Now Jane, she was at every show she could be. Her little face would light up and she wouldn't stop giggling. They always included her. She wheeled up to them after one of the state fairs. “T-that was SO cool, J-j-justy.”

One of the crew nearby looked at the kids oddly but they didn’t notice. They were too young to realize some people looked at her different but Justin accepted her stutter and disability. He helped her with it. “Thanks, buttercup,” he answered out of breath. He hugged her sloppily, almost picking her up and she squealed in laughter. “Ya know, I want to do this the rest of my life. I want to be famous.” He was so confident, this really was what he wanted.

So that night, he sat down and told his parents. They said, “if you want this, we’ll support you. But if it doesn’t turn out, we come home. You’ve to put 110% into it.” He agreed whole-heartedly.
---
Jane looked around the empty hallway. The 11 year old had escaped her classroom while the teacher had been busy with another student. How could someone not notice a wheelchair missing was beyond her. She had to find her friends. Despite her body being disabled, the little girl was very smart. She reached room 131 and lightly tapped on the door. The teacher answered quite surprised, staring at her as her voice stuttered.

“I-I need to talk...talk to Justin. I’m s-s-s-sorry.”

The blue eyed boy immediately jumped up, signaling to Trace that he’d fill him in later. “I’m sorry, Mr Johnson, I’ll get her back to class.”

The man knew Justin was responsible and trusted him to be quick.
End Notes:
i have til chapter3 finished so i'll be adding those to.
chance at stardom? by MrsTimberlake18
“What’re you doing by yourself? Your teacher will be mad,” the 12 year old scolded lightly.

“I’m s-s-sorry.” Jane looked up at him. “I wanted to see y-y-ou b-b-b-b-because you got Star Search?”

Justin sighed, so confused as to what to do. They hadn’t been separated in the last six years and he didn’t know how to leave her. I mean, she was his best girl friend! “Yeah, I was going to tell you after school today. I wasn’t just going to leave you hanging, girl.”

"You sh-should have told me...You know I would b-be hap-happy for you". But her eyes couldn't hide her emotions, she was heartbroken. How couldn't she be? After all, it was Justin – the boy she could count on.

“Look I know this is hard,” he answered, hugging the small girl. “But I’ll be back in a week. Trace and Nick will look out for you until then.”

She thought for a minute. She really was happy, he’d been wanting this dream for forever, so of course she was happy he got it. She didn’t know why she was like this. “O-ok, I’ll see you when you g-g-get back.”

The night he left was especially difficult. Even though it’d only be for a week, it felt like an eternity to the little kids. Trace and Jane spent the day and previous night at the Harless home. Since summer break had started the day after Jane had sought Justin in class, they didn’t have to worry about staying up too late. They ate s’mores, drank soda, pizza, and of course Grandma Sadie’s dinner and desert. They finally fell asleep on the back deck under the stars; the boys teasing Jane with monster stories.

IN THE MORNING, bright and early at 8am, Lynn walked outside. The sight in front of her was too cute. Jane was laying next to Justin; both on their sides and facing each other. They really were close, even in sleep. Trace was in his sleeping bag. His head was buried in the bottom and his feet hung out the top. Snoring could definitely be heard. She chuckled and leaned down. “C’mon kids. Time to get up, Justin has to leave.”

Groans came and each took their time getting up; no one in that house was a morning person. After everyone was dressed, Justin’s parents and Jane’s mom sat watching as they all put on their shoes. The boy gently lifted his friend to her feet, steadying her, and set her in the wheelchair. They were roughly the same age but she was smaller than him and weighed less. And he was so gentle with her; it was amazing.

Justin stood in front of Jane’s wheelchair and looked at her; she was crying and being the tough 12 year old he was, he tried not to. “I’ll be back in a week but I’ll miss you,” he said shyly.

She blushed and giggled. “Th-thanks. I’ll miss you, t-t-too.”

“I’ll call and let you know how things go.” He hugged her tight for a long time before reluctantly letting go.

She watched as he climbed in the car and waved happily. She waved back but as soon as the car was out of sight, a tear rolled down her cheek. Trace didn’t know how to comfort her too much since Justin was the sensitive one, he understood how she felt but tried to keep his cool. So he nudged her shoulder. “C’mon, let’s go play video games. J will be back soon.”
---
Star Search went amazing. Wearing a ten-gallon hat and cowboy boots, Justin sang his heart out. His accent was heavy and oh so cute as he did a country number. He certainly impressed the judges and everyone rooted for him back home as they crowded in front of the TV. But...unfortunately it wasn’t enough to win.

“Anna receives four stars and our challenger, Justin receives three and a quarter stars...” Ed announced.

Justin Randall placed second and the girl before him won the prize. He was disappointed but didn’t let it get him down. This was his big break and he’d take what he could get. As Lynn was walking backstage to pick up her son, someone stopped her. “Hi, I’m Matt Casella, and I’d like to ask you something.”

“Ok.”

“I saw the show and I wanted to say your son Justin is a talented little kid. You're Lynn Harless, right?”

“Yes nice to meet you. What were you saying?” she asked.

“Well, a few lots over, I’m casting some kids between the ages of 10-13 for the New Mickey Mouse Club,” he answered. “I was wondering if Justin would be interested in auditioning?”

The mother thought for a moment. She’d heard about the show because the kids constantly watched it and were in love with it. He’d said his goal was to be on there. If the casting guy thought he was good, why not give it a shot?
---
Justin Timberlake had to be the most excited 12 year old on the planet. He had passed the audition and got all the callbacks; which made him into the cast of Mickey Mouse Club for season six and seven. He got signed to work with Josh Chasez (JC), Tony Lucca, Matt Morris, TJ Fatini, Ryan Gosling and others. He was so psyched! And he really looked up to the older kids. Once he was settled in the hotel room, he called Jane to tell her.

Jane lay on her bed, door closed, tears silently streaming down her face. Things couldn’t have been worse this week. She was excited seeing her best friend on Star Search, he did what he loves to do. But afterwards, her mother pulled her aside. Her condition had gotten worse and she would need surgery to straighten her spine. It was a dangerous procedure and would take a lot of pain and rehab, but it had to be done.

She didn’t want to move to a different state and do this alone, but what choice did she have? She wasn't old enough to choose so she was being forced. Didn’t she have enough to deal with in her short 11 years? The phone rang and broke her out of her thoughts. When she heard the voice on the line, she cried harder. “H-h-hi, Justin.”

“I have AWESOME news to tell you!” he beamed at the same time she said:

“I have s-something to tell-tell you.”

“I lost the contest but guess what! I got an audition on MMC and got through, I’m part of the cast.”

“Oh...” was all Jane could mutter for a few moments. She then cleared her throat and bit a sob. There was no way she could tell him now; it’d ruin his hyperness and she didn’t want that to be their last conversation. So she said, “Th-that’s great, J. It’s what you've been wanting. Just, um, r-r-remember I l-love you, ok?”

“And why wouldn’t I love my buttercup?” he giggled. “I have to go, Janey, ma brought dinner. I’ll call you and then see you in a few months. Bye!”

She sighed heavily as the phone hung up. She’d probably never see him or Trace again. She didn’t want them to know because she already felt like a burden. Maybe she’d come back in a few years if he was home. He probably wouldn't want a cripple for a friend anymore...
but why? / lost fan? by MrsTimberlake18
Justin stepped into Memphis International Airport, fresh back from Orlando. He had a month break after spending six months filming his first season of MMC. He was so happy to be home; he wanted to see his dad and grandparents and friends. But most of all...Jane. He hadn’t spoken to her much since he got his new job and he didn’t know what was up. She never answered his calls and when he asked Trace, even he didn’t know. Jane had pulled away from everyone and no one knew why.

But Justin was determined to find out. If anyone could get her to talk it was him. He followed his mom outside where his dad waited to take them home. The 13 year old had been dropped off down the street at Jane’s house. Something was off, he could feel it as soon as he walked up the ramp. He went to knock on the door, pushing his curls from his face, and the door creaked open.
---
Jane lay in a hospital bed in Kentucky. She wore a backbrace which was uncomfortable and it kept her perfectly still. This prevented her pulling the stitches from the incision along her spine. She looked at the calendar above her head which indicated Justin would be home on summer break by now. She wanted so badly to be there but he could never know what was happening. She didn’t want him to take care of her like he always did; they were kids and he was living his dream. That shouldn’t be ruined.
---
Justin looked around the hallway with a confused look. It was completely empty. Where was Bianca? Where was Jane? Why wasn't the sound of Disney Channel blasting over the tv? He called out, “Buttercup, you home?” No answer came as he moved through the house. “Jane, where’re you hidin’? Did Trace put you up to this?”

Still no answer. Panic rose through his tiny body as he raced to the back bedroom. He skidded to a stop in the doorway, mouth hanging open as he saw the empty room. No bed, no desk, no boombox on the dresser. It was just the baby blue walls, Jane’s favorite color, left. He slid down the wall as his heart pounded hard and he felt sick. Hot tears poured down his cheeks as he asked out loud, “why did you leave without telling me?”

That is how Trace found him; nearly sobbing on Jane’s bedroom floor. The boy looked at his friend, his brother, as he too slowly took in what he saw. He’d gone to Justin’s house only to find out he was here. Hoping to get Jane as their friend again, he rushed over. The boy on the floor looked up at him. “Did you – did you know about this?”

“N-no, dude. I didn’t. She hasn’t been herself lately, hasn’t talked to me in weeks,” Trace answered. “She pulled away and wouldn't even speak to anyone at school. I couldn’t find out what was wrong.”

“W-why would she just leave me? We were supposed to be together forever. Why would her mom move her and not tell a-anyone the reas-reason?” He sounded so lost, tears clouding his voice.

“I don't know, J. I don't know.” In a rare moment, Trace kneeled down and hugged his friend. He’d suspected the young boy had a crush on the girl they knew; she was all he talked about. They really couldn’t figure it out.
---
ABOUT EIGHT YEARS LATER, June 2001 and Justin had just turned 20 years old. Where was he and what had he been doing all these years? Well, sadly, the MMC had ended all too soon and he was devastated. But he’d made great friends and shortly later formed a boyband with co-star JC Chasez. They joined Chris Kirkpatrick, Joey Fatone and Lance Bass to form *NSYNC. They toured around Europe and then struck a U.S. record label in 1998.

After a debut, a few financial problems, and their second album hitting platinum several times, *NSYNC was at the top of their game. They’d moved to Jive for the No Strings Attached record and were now touring for Celebrity.

Jane, or Janine as she had people call her now, was living in Kentucky still. She’d only been home a few times in the last years and that was only to see relatives. And she made sure not to run into Justin or anyone. Now though that sounded bad of her, she didn’t really know what else to do. She’d been effected by having to leave her childhood friend and home at such a young age and just couldn’t face them. Though she was independent now – only using one leg brace and crutches – and living on her own, she still saw looks of pity on some faces.

She knew Justin or Trace wouldn't pity her, but they probably had different lives now. She knew he’d made his dream come true and had made it big as a singer. And she was very proud of him.

But why be called Janine? She didn’t really know, just thought it sounded more proper and gave her a new look. Jane now worked as a secretary in a small office for Warner Brothers. But she wanted something higher-up. That would all change soon...

Justin was lounging around the tour bus and as he dozed off, he couldn’t stop thinking.

“Janey...Jane, don’t leave me...,” he mumbled.

The guys had come through, noisily as always, and looked curiously at him. “Wonder what he’s dreaming about,” Lance wondered quietly.

“I don't know but he’s been having these dreams for awhile,” JC answered.

“Yeah, did you realize he has these every few years?” Chris asked.

“Probably some hot chick he met somewhere.” Joey walked over to him and shook his shoulder.

“Come on, J. Time to get up, we have to roll.”

The young man muttered a few more words before opening his eyes. He blinked and slowly asked, “what's up, guys?”

“You were dreaming again,” Lance answered concerned. He knew these dreams must’ve meant something to him but none of them knew what. “You kept repeating the name ‘Jane’.”

Justin’s brows furrowed and Joey chuckled, “where is she? She hot?”

“Yeah, I thought you were dating Amanda. Who’s Jane?” Chris piped again.

Hands came to slap both of them upside the head and JC watched his best friend lower his head and breath deep. “Is it that girl you told me about on MMC? That Jane?” JC knew something had been between his young friend and this girl, but Justin never said more than they were childhood friends.

He swiped his hand over his freshly buzzed hair and looked up, forcing a smile. “Nah, it’s nothing. Probably something I heard on TV or something...I-I’m fine, guys.”

No one was convinced but let it go. They knew better than to push him. Though they were concerned that this had been happening for almost as long as they knew him...

“Janine, have I got FABOLOUS news for you!” her friend and colleague, Lucy, squealed. That girl was always overly happy, Jane mused. “You know that friend I have at Jive Records over in NYC?”

“Sh-shawn Borden?”

“Yes, him. Well, I was talking to him about how you're looking for something higher-up in this field and he said that one of the managers is looking for a new assistant.”

“Wow...” Jane was stunned. Jive Records was a huge company! “W-who is it, what would I-I be do-doing?”

“He’s a manager for a pop group, forgot their name. I guess you’d be assisting him on their tour. His name is...Johnny Wright I think?” Lucy answered.

Now the young woman was even more stunned. She was 20 years old and going to be working for one of the best managers in the country?! Wow...
---
SEVERAL WEEKS LATER, Jane had moved herself to Orlando, Florida which, trust me, wasn’t easy. She’d worked hard to save up as much money as she could over the years and now it’d taken almost all of it to get here. Jive was in New York City but Johnny had an office set up in Orlando.

She’d heard something curious around town and it struck her. Justin Timberlake, the boy she’d let go, was renting a house here. She knew this had to have happened for a reason; they had to have accidently ended up in the same place for something. She was a fan of his music as always, yes, but it’s not like she knew he lived here.

So here she was, standing in front of his front door, ready to finally see him after eight years. She was extremely nervous, shaking even, but knew it was time to give him an explanation. She didn’t expect him to forgive her – she wouldn’t if it was the other way around – but she wanted to make things right. It was just her luck that it was pouring rain.

Justin and his girlfriend, Amanda, were watching a movie on the couch. It was heavily raining so they figured they’d relax and pop in a comedy. He didn’t have rehearsals until tomorrow. “I’m going to grab some more popcorn,” he told her while pausing the movie. She nodded and he slipped out from where she lay on his chest.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door and the redhead jumped to grab it. In front of her was a soaking wet girl who seemed to be her age and was slightly hunched over. She stood with a crutch and looked up as she tried to speak clearly. “I-is Justin home? I need t-t-to speak with him.”

“Um, sorry, he’s on a day off. Maybe you'll see him at a concert.”

“Look, it’s very i-import-important. Justin!” Jane called.

“Little girl, please get off the property before we call security,” Amanda warned. Who did she think she was? A fan coming to a celebrity’s house? Oh, that’d make the tabloids.

“What’s goin’ on?” the young man asked, hearing the commotion and coming to the door.

Jane stared at him a moment as a smile appeared on her face. Sucking up her fears she started, “J-J-Justin, nice to see you again. It’s been a long t-time.”

He looked confused. “Again? Sorry, but I don't know you. But there’s a hotel down the street, why don’t you go warm up?” He generously gave her a few bucks and smiled.

Amanda rolled her eyes as the girl looked hurt but slowly nodded and left. “Well, glad she’s gone. There was something wrong with her,” she scoffed in distaste.

“She’s probably just a fan who thought she met us at an event. She looked lost,” he answered gently. “C’mon, let’s go finish the movie.”

Jane walked away hurt. ‘Why didn’t he recognize me?’ Not that Amanda really let her get a word in. Did this mean he didn’t want her anymore? She didn’t expect him to wait around for his childhood pal to come back; they were kids, they didn’t even date. But she thought he’d at least remember her...

But as the movie ended, Justin zoned out. His mind was stuck on that mystery girl. But it was nothing right? Just a lost fan or something? Right...
Sweet Treats by MrsTimberlake18
Author's Notes:
thanks Ambs for helping with the banner.

The five guys of *NSYNC headed into the WEG compound which was owned by Johnny. They sat in the spacious lounge and waited for their manager. It wasn't long before they heard him walk in, talking to someone. “Oh, they’ll love you. Don’t worry, Sweetie.”

The boys looked up to see a young woman being directed to one of the couches. She sat in-between JC and Chris, setting her crutch on the floor. They smiled genuinely and warm at her and she eased a bit. Before she could say or look at anyone else, Johnny spoke.

“Guys, this is Janine Ramsey, she’s my new assistant. Janine this is JC, Lance, Joey, Chris and of course Justin.” The boys offered hello’s and smiles; all except the youngest who just stared. The older man shot him a confused glance before continuing. “Now, she may be young but this girl is good. She’s very smart and organized. Being my assistant means she’ll be going on tour with us, learning what ya’ll do, going to meetings, maybe some PR work. Will that be a problem with anyone?”

Everyone said no and Justin paused. Joey kicked him and the leg which caused him to mutter a ‘no’.

“...Ok, then.” Johnny got up and smiled. “Miss Ramsey, get to know the boys and then meet me in my office. We’ll go over things.”

Soon it was just the six of them. Lance broke the silence a minute later. “So, Janine, where’re you from?”

“U-um, originally down south. I moved to K-k-kentucky a few years ago.”

“Aha! There’s that southern accent!” Chris cheered. “Now it’s even.” Meaning there were now three southern people in the group.

Everyone laughed, once again excluding Justin. Jane eyed him nonchalantly, wondering why he was so quiet. He obviously didn’t recognize her...
---
Justin flopped back on his bed in the hotel they were staying at. “I don't know, Trace! I just – she’s got brown hair, blue eyes. She just seems familiar and I don't know why.”

“Well, dude, she does sound familiar. Maybe you met her somewhere?”

“I had to have; I just don’t know from where...”

“Get to know her, you'll find out that way.”

A MONTH LATER, it seemed nothing had changed for Jane or the boys of *NSYNC. She’d gotten close to them and they treated her like a sister. They could all tell she liked Justin; there seemed to be something there. But he...just didn’t seem to like her. Not that she expected him too. Whether he remembered and forgave her or didn’t forgive her, she really wanted to try again.

“Don’t worry,” Joey had said. “Baby J just needs time to warm up to new people.”

One night, on the way to Buffalo NY, Jane sat in the small kitchenette and looked out the window as it rained. She was never one for storms so she curled tighter into the blanket. There were shuffled footsteps behind her and she jumped a little. Though it was dark she knew the voice. “Janine, you're up? Sorry. I thought everyone was sleeping.”

“I-I can leave if you-you want,” she answered. She didn’t want to leave, in many ways she wished she’d never left.

“No, no. I just came for something to drink.” Justin went to the mini-fridge and took out the milk. Before pouring himself a glass, he took the mug that sat in front of her.

She watched as he moved around, heating her hot cocoa, stirring it, and added mini marshmallows. Almost as if he always did it. She smiled softly as he handed it to her, making sure she had a good grip, before he let go. He sat across from her at the small table and looked out as well. A few moments later, Jane spoke. “It’s b-beau-beautiful, isn’t it?”

“Mhm, reminds me of when I was a kid.” She glanced at him curiously and before she could stop him, he continued. “I had this friend since before I could remember. We’d lay out on the back porch and just watch the stars. We’d stay there for hours, talking, sometimes not. And my parents would practically have to drag us inside before we totally fell asleep.” He paused as he stared at her.

“W-what?” she asked self-consciously.

“Huh? Oh, sorry, you just remind me of my friend...I miss her a lot...,” he ended on a whisper. “But that was a long time ago. You don’t want to hear about that.”

She was going to ask who but she unfortunately know whom he talked about. She avoided his gaze and changed the subject. “So, I heard yo-you got caught in the movie thea-theater the other day?”

Justin chuckled, bringing a smile to his companion’s face. “Yeah, yeah I did. Ya know, it was actually kind of funny.” He stood up and reached to a small cupboard above her head. He was so close she could feel his body heat; a once comforting feeling. Shaking her head, Jane listened as he continued. “So, after Amanda said my name, the girls behind us realized who I was. We high-tailed it out of there and I swear to you – do not get chased by a birthday party full of 11 year olds.”

“Amanda’s your gi-r-girlfriend, right?” she asked slowly. Now she felt out of place.

“Well... I don't know...we’ve been seeing each other for awhile now but I’m still thinking of how I feel, I guess you could say. I like her a lot but I don’t really know if it’s right. I mean tour life’s hard, ya know?” When she nodded, he paused. “Man, where are they? Ah here!”

She looked on confused as he sat back down, a package of Oreo’s in his hands. “The ultimate snack. You're never too old for Oreo cookies, Janine,” he smiled. He passed some to her and then dunked one of his own. “If you dip for seven seconds, it’s just perfect. Not too squishy where it completely gets mushed, but just enough to taste good.”

“Oh, is th-at your theory?” she mused as he acted like a kid. Like the little boy she knew...No! She wouldn't confuse herself. If she wanted to tell him the truth and have him recognize her, they had to build on the here and now.

“Yup,” he smiled. They continued on; talking about everything and anything. They discussed their lives, carefully avoiding how she was connected to him. She didn’t want to ruin this moment but she’d tell him soon.

Justin’s eyes began to droop and he knew he needed sleep for the work *NSYNC had tomorrow. Soundchecks, radio interviews, shows, etc. They’d be running around on dead feet if he didn’t get a couple hours. He looked to Jane and saw her curled in an uncomfortable position, figuring he should put her to bed too. A brief thought crossed his mind as he lifted her into his arms; this felt right with her head against his chest. But how? He barely knew this girl. But still he couldn’t shake the feeling.

Slipping Jane gently into her bunk, he carefully took off her brace and set it aside. He pulled the covers up, reached out to touch her face but quickly pulled back. “What is it about you that’s so familiar, Janine?” he whispered.

He then slipped beneath the covers in his own bunk, thoughts in his head as he drifted off. Unbeknownst to the three pairs of eyes watching them...
End Notes:
AN: i'd say 2 or 3 chapters left. have tissues & possbily bats handy for next chapter lol
under the exterior by MrsTimberlake18
Author's Notes:
so my friend, who sometimes writes with me, is practically begging for me to write a "hit story". i dont think im all that good but the few chapters that end this fic are gonna be for him cuz i love his amazing support lol :). and i wouldnt write if it wasnt for our families believing i can do it. so get ready for tissues & drama, everyone!!

Justin watched Jane as she goofed around with the other guys in the empty venue early in the morning. It’d been three days since their late-night chat and he still couldn’t figure out how he knew her. The way she talked, acted, moved. The way he seemed so comfortable and wanted to tell her everything. Damn, he knew she wasn't who she said but then...who was she? And what connection to himself was there?

“Hey, we’re going to teach Janine some of the new moves. You coming?” JC asked as he slapped his friend’s back.

“I uh...” he tried to think of an excuse, not wanting to get closer until he figured out who she was. But as soon as she looked up at him, something pulled him in again. “Fine.” It took him a few minutes to not feel awkward and he was eventually laughing. But somebody was watching them. Make that two.

Trace and Amanda watched from off to the side. Trace was Justin’s assistant now so he went everywhere. He watched with curiosity; also feeling the same tug of familiarity that his best friend felt. Amanda though felt jealousy. Who was this new girl who came to take her boyfriend? She heard the *NSYNC guys being called to start soundcheck for their show later tonight and saw Jane slip out of the room to make a call. She didn’t trust ‘Janine’. If that was her real name; she was probably a gold-digger.

Trace slipped away unnoticed as vocals were being run, he wasn’t needed right now anyways. He saw Jane go into a dressing room and pull something from the bottom of her bag. It looked like a book of some sort and she stared at the pages for a long minute. He snuck in, not being one to get involved n people’s problems, but curious as to who she was. And...were those tears on her cheeks? The young girl obviously didn’t hear him, as she was muttering to herself, and he managed to catch a glimpse of the page before she saw his shadow.

Jane jumped, dropping the photo album as Trace appeared behind her. Oh, God, how she didn’t want anyone to see this. She was in so much trouble. “Why do you have baby pictures of Justin?” he asked slowly and with a hint of accusation. Was this girl insane? Only fans and the boys’ families had photos of them. He took another glance and recognized Justin, himself, and a brown-haired little girl in a pink wheelchair...

“I’m so-s-sorry,” she whispered, the tears not slowing.

Only one person would have that picture...but this girl – no she couldn’t. It was impossible. She couldn’t be her. Justin would be so hurt, he’d been so hung up on that little girl, so attached. He couldn’t let Justin know that’d she could possibly be... He cut off his own thoughts as his voice sounded again. “Who are you and why do you have this picture??”

“My name’s J-jane,” in the same quiet voice. She didn’t want him, nor Justin, or anyone to find out like this. She had it planned, where she could apologize like crazy and show why she never came back.

“No, it can't be. Because the Jane I knew wouldn't’ve put Justin, or even myself, through this. She wouldn't just leave her home, her friends, and never look back,” Trace answered. The anger had started to build. He would never admit it, being the tough guy he was, but all those years ago he did miss their little girl friend. She was like one of the guys and kept them out of trouble. Sure it wasn't like Justin who had become way too attached for his young age, but Trace missed her all the same.

“I’m sorry, Tra-trace. I didn’t mean too. It was just – I le-left and I-I-I didn’t know how to come back. I didn’t know how to make it b-better!”

“So, you just stayed away? Made Justin wonder where you were, if you were alive. Yeah, some friend,” the man scoffed. She didn’t know what else to say because if he didn’t listen, Justin never would.

She grabbed her bag in her non-crutch hand and started for the door. She stopped at a soft voice. One she used to seek for comfort but now sounded of hurt and pain. “Janey? Is it true?” Justin choked. He had come for his mic-pack when he’d heard shouting and this is what he found. He looked into blue eyes, glassy with the tears that were filling his own.

“J, it can't be. We haven’t seen Jane in nearly 10 years. Why would we now? She’s probably just-”

Ignoring his friend, Justin grabbed the young woman’s arm and led her to the doorway. “Get out. You're not Jane and you never will be. Jane wouldn't do this.”

“But Jus -,” she tried using her old nickname for him.

“I said get out! Johnny will be firing you once he’s found out your scam.” The 21 year old’s voice was so full of hated, Jane was actually scared. She left, sobbing harder than ever.

Not noticing where she headed, she crawled into a tiny corner. The strength had been drained and she didn’t want to move anymore. Her body shook painfully as her heart broke.

Justin fell onto the couch in the dressing room and Trace sat numbly beside him. Neither knew whether to believe this or not. I mean, it’d been eight years right? But everything happened for a reason... Justin pulled out his wallet slowly and took out a crumpled photo. He looked at the forgotten album on the floor and his heart broke. The pictures were exactly the same. Even if she was a fan or paparazzi, there was no way she could’ve gotten it. They were private. Unless...

Suddenly there was a loud crash and ear piercing screams coming from down the hall and Justin could have sworn he died right there...
please no by MrsTimberlake18
Author's Notes:
AN: first part of the chapter is in Justin’s point of view. 2nd part is back to normal point of view.

**SONG ADDED**

I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

[Chorus:]
When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

You used to captivate me
By your resonating light
Now I'm bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts
My once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away
All the sanity in me


It was like watching a car crash. You know, the kind where it’s so horrible but you can't look away? Only this wasn’t a car and it wasn’t someone else. It was us, it was her, and it was a stage malfunction. Jane... I felt cold as Chris ran in. I couldn’t hear him, only “Janine...Joey...lift...crash.”

I took off before he could finish and felt Trace run to catch up but my only thoughts were my friends. When I reached the main room, I swear my heart stopped. I literally couldn’t feel it beat. There was twisted metal laying around the huge main stage, smoke in some spots. It looked like one of the hydraulic lift things had collapsed and I could see Lance slowly hefting Joey to his feet. He was a big guy but seemed ok with only a few scratches; he could take it. Lance looked fine too. Then the screams and cries once again filtered to my ears.

A few feet away from Joey, I could see JC leaning over someone. He tried to calm them with no success. Luckily, he didn’t appear to be hurt but as I got closer I faced my worst nightmare. Janine – no she was Jane – lay trapped between the floor and the bottom of a lift. Her left leg was pinned and my eyes blurred with tears as I saw the blood and dropped to my knees. JC shoved my shoulder and I looked at him in shock. “J, stay with her, keep her awake. I have to get the medics.”

I was amazed at how calm he was – he didn’t like anything to do with hospitals or medical but he was always levelheaded. I blindly moved and took his spot, Jane’s head resting in my lap. She was shaking so bad, her eyes pleading for me to help her. But what could I do? Should I move her and try to get her leg out? Should I wait? Another part of me was still in shock from knowing this girl who’d I’d traveled with for two months was my long-lost best friend. I had so many questions; like why she left or never told me who she was. But I had to save her right now. So I swallowed the lump and tears in my throat and spoke to her. “Jane, open your eyes. Come on, look at me.” Her eyes fluttered after a few long moments. “That’s my girl.” I couldn’t help the smile that graced my face as I really looked into her blue eyes.

“J-j-justin,” she struggled. Her stutter made worse from the pain.

“Shh shh, save your strength. We’re getting help and you'll be ok,” I tried to sooth her.

“But...I’m s-s-sor-sorry.”

“I know and it’s ok. Just rest, my Baby Girl. I’m here.”

Jane cried out again as the firefighters freed her leg, the pain increasing. I’m telling you, I’d give anything just to make her hurt go away. I leaned down, whispering soothing words; both to calm her and possibly convince myself. Chris and Trace had to pry me away as they loaded her on the stretcher. That’s when she finally fainted from the pain and I ignored the tears running down my cheeks.

“What’s her name?” one paramedic asked.

“Janine Ramsey,” JC answered.

“No,” I choked out. How did I even have a voice left? “Her real name is Jane McCall.” JC looked to me, knowing what I was saying, and nodded to the EMT’s.

“Tray, I’ll ride with her. You take J in your car. I don’t think he can handle this right now,” my friend of ten years whispered to my other best friend. I wanted to protest, to never let Jane go again, but I was too in shock.

“C, there’s needles,” Lance pointed out. JC’s face paled with brief panic but he sucked it up, saying he’d look away as long as they didn’t stick him.
---
The drive was quiet and fast; Trace and I both lost in our thoughts. This was Jane, our best friend of our childhood years, our girl. Sure neither of us could believe she was really Jane at first, she did hide it, but the connection was there. I felt it; knew deep down that somehow she was who I searched for. And now she was fighting for her life...

I numbly got out of the car before it even stopped and could hear Trace cursing me. He wasn't really mad at me, just the situation. My heart started beating again as I saw Jane being pushed through the ER doors. No, my heart pounded. I think I was panicking now but who could blame me.

“Whoa, Justin, slow down,” Joey said coming up to me. His wrist was wrapped in a thin layer but he was otherwise fine.

“Where is she?” I asked.

“Janine’s hurt pretty bad -”

“HER NAME IS JANE.”

“Jane, sorry. Jane’s hurt but the doctors are going to operate on her leg, ok?” Joey took my shoulders, feeling me shake. “The metal from the lift and the plastic of her leg brace got in there but they’ll get out. It will be ok.”

“Excuse me,” a nurse called. “We need someone to sign consent.”

I shakily signed the paper and then stared as they wheeled Jane up to OR. Suddenly, my stomach twisted and I stumbled towards the exit.

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

[Chorus]

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along

[Chorus]
---
Trace went to go after him but JC announced, “I’ll make sure he’s ok. I need out of here, anyway.”

The shorter man slumped a little but nodded with everyone. They all knew the singer’s fear of hospitals and let him go.

“Should we call her parents or someone?” Chris asked.

“We don’t know her contact number because it’s been so long...but someone should call Lynn.”

“Already on it,” Lance chipped in as he held up his phone, calling Johnny who called Lynn Harless.

Trace stared at the glass doors as he started processing everything. He couldn’t believe all that had happened. How did they not see who she was all that time? “Eight years...” he whispered and sat down.

Meanwhile outside, Justin hunched over the grass at the side of the building. His body ached as it rid of everything he’d eaten. The shock had worn off, the tears hitting full-force, and he just wanted it to stop. His best friend was hurt and he couldn’t protect her. This only made him sob and sick more. His stomach slowly stopped but he continued to cry. “Here,” JC said softly as he handed him a bottle of water. He then wrapped Justin in a brotherly hug.

“She – she’s been here...the whole time, Josh. I’ve been so mean to her and it turns out she’s Janey. Oh god, she’ll never forgive me,” Justin cried.

“Shh, everything will be fine. Just breathe.” After forcing his young friend to keep breathing, he continued. “This is a bad situation but you couldn’t have known she was the girl you were looking for. Why don’t you tell me more about her? I never heard about your childhood together, remember? We met after.”

Justin sniffled, running a hand over his shaved head. “We met in the sandbox, how cheesy is that? Mom says she could never get us apart. I was always with Jane...” He continued on for a few minutes and finally calmed down.

“You feel better now?” JC asked. “Ready to go back?”

“I don't know if I can see her like that, C...she’s in so much pain...but she needs me.”

“Ok, come on. We’re all here to support you.” Suddenly, he stopped and JC almost ran into him. “You ok, Jus? Feeling sick again?”

“A little but that’s not it. You don’t have to come back inside, Josh.” He kept calling him that, like they were kids again. But it was ok by JC, the boy needed comfort right now. “I know you hate hospitals and all that,” Justin continued. “All ya’ll can go back to the hotel.”

“Nah, I’ll be fine as long as the doctors don’t come near me. I told you, we’re going to stay until everyone’s alright."
End Notes:
AN: there's only one or 2 more chapters cuz theres a story i wanna write by august for a friend's aniversary.
lost again by MrsTimberlake18
Author's Notes:
AN: this chapter is for my friend who took the time out to help. he really got into it & i appreciate that alot.
It had been two days. Two days since Jane’s leg had been punctured. They had cleaned it up, wrapped it, and braced it. But due to her already affected muscles and bones from her disability, she’d need a good amount of physical therapy. But it had also been two days since Justin had been away from her. The guys couldn’t tear him away, not even to eat. Once Lynn arrived and was assured none of her boys were hurt, Trace had explained that Janine was little Janey from back home. To say she was shocked was an understatement.

She managed to pry her son away while the doctors were checking the young girl. “She grew up so beautiful. Just like her mother.”

They hadn’t been able to reach Bianca, she’d left once Jane turned 18. “Yeah, but how could I not have seen it? How did I not know it was her these two months, mom?”

“I don't know, honey, but you know now. And she needs you so you have to be there for her if you really want to.”

“But part of me is so mad at her. She left without a reason and now she’s back and I don’t even know why.” Justin’s voice was so quiet, hoarse from crying. But it also held a lot of guilt. Guilt for not knowing it was Jane sooner, guilt for turning her away and having her get hurt.

“Well, once she’s healed then you two can hash that out. But right now you need to eat,” she said in her best ‘mom voice.’ “Trace told me you’ve barely eaten. You're not going to be any good to that girl in there if you just waste away.”

“Go on, dude, I’ll keep an eye on her,” Trace said walking up. Justin hugged him and Lynn took him to the cafeteria. The other guys of *NSYNC had gone to the hotel to rest for a few hours before coming back. After they so graciously explained Jane’s past so Justin and Trace didn’t have to, Johnny had agreed to give them a few days off.
---
Justin had been dozing in the chair next to Jane’s bed since he came back. Trace was perched in a chair in the corner and the other guys had been taking shifts with them; including keeping the press hounds at bay. They’d deal with that once she woke. His head rested on her stomach, hand clutched in his. Weakly Jane’s eyes fluttered and she reached her hand up. She touched Justin’s buzzed hair, knowing this would be the last time before he told her to leave for good. God, he looked so peaceful. Just like when they were kids. Oh, how long she’d waited to see that again.

She shook her head and tried to hold back tears. ‘No, you're not kids anymore!’ her mind screamed. She tried to shift out of the young man’s grip but it was then she felt the shooting pain in her left leg. Her soft cries woke the two men.

“Yo, J, she’s waking up!” Trace called out.

Justin was immediately up and hovering over her as he framed her face with his hands. “Thank God you're ok, Janey. What's wrong? Are you in pain? Why are you crying?”

She sucked in a sharp breath, not having the strength to pull away because she was hurting. “S-s-some.” He put the button for the Morphine in her hand and held it.

“I’m sorry, they can only give you a small dose because of your heart. But it should take the edge off.”

“I’ma go get the doc,” Trace told them. They needed a moment alone.

“Just breathe,” Justin whispered, waiting for the medication to take affect. By the time it did, he opened his mouth. “Jane, I -”

“Excuse me, I have to examine miss McCall,” the doctor interrupted. Justin was forced out of the room and slumped against the wall.

It was then that he heard heels across the hard floor and he half groaned. “Oh, J.J.! Thank goodness you're ok!” the blonde gasped.

He resisted the urge to roll his eyes. “Amanda.” It was...almost 3am and he was tired. He had people to worry about and if she wasn't in immediate danger, Amanda could wait a little bit. Jane was the one in danger...

“One of the stage crew said there was an accident.”She stated as she began fuss over him. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine; Jane is the one that got hurt.” He huffed then swatted at her hands that seemed to be just everywhere when all he wanted was her to leave him the heck alone.

“Who is that?” she asked.

The young man hung his head; this wouldn’t go well. “Janine is my friend Jane...long story short – I lost her a long time ago but I’m not giving her up this time.”

“Who was she, an ex? I don't know what she’s playing, Justin, but she’s conning you,” Amanda answered in disgust.

“Don’t talk about her like that! You don’t know her!”

“Oh and you're sure you do?? What did Trace say, eight years have gone by? For all you know she could just want your money now that you're famous.”

“Cut it out, Amanda,” Lance said, walking up. He threw an apologetic glance at his friend. “J doesn’t need this right now. A friend of ours is hurt and she needs help. Why don’t you come back later?”

“But – ” Justin shot her a cold look that made her huff and turn on her heel.

He stood up, half-hugged Lance in thanks, and went back inside the room. Jane was still on her back but seemingly staring into space. “Are you ok? What did the doctor say?”

“I’m fine,” she answered quietly.

He studied her for a few moments. Something had changed in the last ten minutes but he didn’t know what. “Look, Jane, I’m sorry about - ”

“J-just leave, Justin.” Her voice was so cold.

“What? No, I don’t want to leave. I’m sorry I didn’t believe you. If I had...”

“It’s ov-over and done with. Just l-l-leave!” The tears started again and Jane tried to hide her face.

“I don’t understand, Janey. I just got you back. I don’t want to lose you.”

“Well, I don’t want y-you back. I-I-I don’t even know why I came here. So just do-do what you told me and – and get out!”

The boy felt as if he’d been struck. Why would she push him away a second time? Didn’t she want to be with him? He stumbled out, tears choking him.
---
Justin went back to the hotel and flipped on his CD player. Music always calmed him; maybe it would help him figure out what in the world was going on. He dug through his duffle bag for a clean wifebeater and sweats and as he slipped the shirt over his head, he spotted something. At the bottom of his bag was Jane’s photo album. Trace or JC must’ve packed it so he could hold it for her... Just as a song came on, he started looking at the pages.

I wish I had what I need
To be on my own
'Cause I feel so defeated
And I'm feeling alone

And it all seems so helpless
And I have no plans
I'm a plane in the sunset
With nowhere to land

And all I see
It could never make me happy And all my sand castles
Spend their time collapsing

Let me know that You hear me
Let me know Your touch
Let me know that You love me
Let that be enough


“Oh my, God, this is why?” he mumbled to himself. The book was filled with their baby pictures. But also Jane as a teenager. It showed her in the hospital; like a documentation of her tragedy. One picture showed her on parallel bars, learning how to walk normally. Another one Justin couldn’t keep his eyes off of. He was totally stunned. In it Jane lay on her stomach; a rough scar going down her spine. ‘She had surgery?’ he thought. He checked the date and sure enough, she was only 11.

It's my birthday tomorrow
No one here could now
I was born this Thursday
22 years ago

And I feel stuck
Watching history repeating
Yeah, who am I?
Just a kid who knows he's needy

Let me know that You hear me
Let me know Your touch
Let me know that You love me
And let that be enough


“Now it all makes sense...”
Please...let me love you by MrsTimberlake18
Author's Notes:
AN: again a ton of thanks to my co-writer for his encouragment & ideas. couldn't have done it without him :).
A strangled smile fell from your face
It kills me that I hurt you this way
The worst part is that I didn't even know
Now there's a million reasons for you to go
But if you can find a reason to stay

I'll do whatever it takes
To turn this around
I know what's at stake
I know that I've let you down
And if you give me a chance
Believe that I can change
I'll keep us together
Whatever it takes

She said if we're gonna make this work
You gotta let me inside even though it hurts
Don't hide the broken parts that I need to see
She said like it or not it's the way it's gotta be
You gotta love yourself if you can ever love me


ONE MONTH LATER, Jane had completed another session in her three month physical therapy. It wouldn’t have been so much if she didn’t have previous problems before the broken leg. As she got out of the cab, she grabbed her crutches and walked to her downtown Orlando apartment. She couldn’t go back on tour with her injury so Johnny gave her a job in the office. Luckily *NSYNC was on tour so she didn’t have to face Justin. But she was back on two crutches instead of one til she was healed and her brace could be refitted.

Justin walked down the street to WEG compound. About two blocks away, he saw a cab pull out and a girl on blue crutches walk up to an apartment building. His heart stopped; he hadn’t seen Jane since she kicked him out of the hospital – she wouldn’t let him or any of *NSYNC around her. Though he now knew why, it still hurt him deeply. He kept tabs on her though through Johnny and various others, he couldn’t just totally let her go again. The group had to finish their summer tour but now that they were done, he was here and he would make her realize he truly loved her.

He stood behind the railing where she couldn’t see him because she was so focused on her task. Ok, now he felt stalkerish but could you blame him? He wanted to be with her so bad and this was his chance. Suddenly, Jane slipped in the rain and couldn’t catch her balance as she fell backwards. She braced herself for the breaking blow, cursing picking a place with stairs, but it never came. Warm, strong arms came around her and brought her back up. Her face was buried in Justin’s leather jacket and as she looked up, she saw his sparkling blue eyes. There was just a ghost of a smile on his lips as he gently took her keys and led her inside. Taking her coat, Jane smiled softly at what a gentleman he was; but it was gone when she realized she couldn’t let herself see him. She had to shut herself off to protect them both. Besides, he was a taken man...

He stood awkwardly in the livingroom doorway as she moved around, nonchalantly looking him over. He no longer had the buzzcut and his hair was growing into curls again. He was a bit more muscular she could tell as he took off his jacket. “What are yo-you d-doing?” she asked incredulously as he parked himself on the couch.

“I’m taking off my jacket,” he replied sarcastically.

“I see th-hat,” she replied, “I meant, why – why are you here?”

As he hung his jacket over the arm of the chair, he turned to face her. He knew she would react this way but he was willing to do whatever he needed to, to get her back in his life. He’d lost her once and he sure as heck wasn't about to lose her again. “I needed to talk to you.”

“Why? Won’t A-a-a-amanda have a fit that you’re even h-h-ere with a con?” she asked snidely.

“We broke up.” His voice was calm as he spoke. He had it all planned.

“Well congratulations, now leave.” She turned her back on him and retreated to the kitchen to get something to drink.

“Would you shut up with the attitude?!” Justin suddenly snapped.

“I didn’t let y-you in here, you walked in on your own and – and I don’t need th-this.”

“You left me, not the other way around so don’t do that! But, I know why you left all those years ago.” Justin said watching her as she stopped midstride to the kitchen then turned towards him with tears shining in her eyes. “And I understand why you did.”

Sniffling back the tears at the sudden memory she didn’t want to deal with, she let her eyes train on his face. “You do?” she asked softly.

“Yes,” he answered just as quietly. “I found your album – the guys put it in my bag – and I know you didn’t have a choice. But you do now...”

Closing her eyes, Jane breathed and steeled herself. “It’s not that simple, Jus-t-t-tin.”

“Why not? You're grown, you don’t have to leave, you don’t have to run anymore.”

“Because it’s not, you'll nev-ver understand. Now please l-leave.” She couldn’t let this happen, there’s no way it could go the way they wanted it. He didn’t even want her.

“Jane, I’ve spent 11 years looking for you and now that I have you, I’m not going to let you keep shutting me out. Tell me why you're doing this.” He stepped up and tried to take her hand but she wouldn't. “Stop it, and tell me what is the matter.” Now his voice was firm.

“You don’t get it, do y-y-you?! I CAN'T – can't let you in. As much as I want to let you in, I-I-I just can't burd-de-en you like that.” By the time she finished, her voice was nothing but a whisper and tears.

He waited calmly as she struggled with the stutter. “Oh, Janey...” Justin scooped her into his arms, dropping her crutches and carefully carrying her to the couch. She briefly fought against him, not knowing how to let down her guard, but his arms stayed snug. “Shh, my Baby Girl, listen to me. It’s not like that at all; it never was. You will never be a burden to me. Don’t ever think that.”

“But my mother, ev-everyone, Justin, I –”

“NO! You have to believe me, you were only a child and they never should’ve treated you like that. Yes, you needed those surgeries – look at how far you've come – but no one should be isolated like that.” She looked up and tears were making tracks on his face too. He buried his face in her hair as she lay on his shoulder. “Please let me love you...,” he whispered.

“I love you too, Jus-justin, that’s why I came back. But it – it will take time.”

He could tell she was frustrated with herself and her flaws but none of it mattered to him. “I know but I will help you through it. You'll never be alone again. That is, if you think you can handle me.”

I'll do whatever it takes
To turn this around
I know what's at stake
I know that I've let you down
And if you give me a chance
And give me a break
I'll keep us together

I know you deserve much better
Remember the time I told you the way that I felt
And that I'd be lost without you and never find myself
Let's hold onto each other above everything else
Start over, start over

I'll do whatever it takes
To turn this around
I know what's at stake
I know that I've let you down
And if you give me a chance
Believe that I can change
I'll keep us together
Whatever it takes

End Notes:
Let That Be Enough in chapter7 is by Switchfoot. Whatever It Takes in this chapter is by Lifehouse.

it will be a few weeks til the next fic cuz its a surprise & im waiting til im done.
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1460