The Space Between by azchickadee
Summary:

The space between

What's wrong and right

Is where you'll find me hiding, waiting for you

The space between

Your heart and mine

Is the sapce we'll fill with time

The space between...

-Dave Matthews Band

 

Can three couples survive "The Space Between"?

 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Crazy Love
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 111263 Read: 76972 Published: Jul 14, 2009 Updated: Nov 21, 2009

1. Chapter 1 by azchickadee

2. Chapter 2 by azchickadee

3. Chapter 3 by azchickadee

4. Chapter 4 by azchickadee

5. Chapter 5 by azchickadee

6. Chapter 6 by azchickadee

7. Chapter 7 by azchickadee

8. Chapter 8 by azchickadee

9. Chapter 9 by azchickadee

10. Chapter 10 by azchickadee

11. Chapter 11 by azchickadee

12. Chapter 12 by azchickadee

13. Chapter 13 - part one by azchickadee

14. Chapter 13 part two by azchickadee

15. Chapter 14 by azchickadee

16. Chapter 15 by azchickadee

17. Chapter 16 by azchickadee

18. Chapter 17 by azchickadee

19. Chapter 18 by azchickadee

20. Chapter 19 by azchickadee

21. Epilogue by azchickadee

Chapter 1 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Okay, guys...here we go again!  I promised I wasn't done with these characters, and here's the new story to prove it!  :)  I'm excited to share this continuing journey with you and hope you guys enjoy it as much as the first two stories.  I am going to attempt to tell the story of Rachel and JC, Aubrey and Justin, and Megan and Jackson from the end of "Something Like You" until the epilouge of "Love Song", filling in "The Space Between".  Pretty clever title, huh? Yeah, I thought of it myself...lol...actually, it was inspired by Vikki!  :)

New Year's Eve

"Russia?" Twenty-two year old Aubrey Davis looked up in surprise from the popcorn she had been pouring into a bowl.  Her eyes focused on the girl standing next to her in the kitchen.  "Why in the world are you going to Russia?" She asked.  "In January?"

"Because that's were my fiancé will be for two weeks." Rachel Kline replied with a laugh, as if the answer were obvious.  Rachel reached over and grabbed a handful of popcorn from the bowl and began putting the kernels into her mouth. 

"Okay..." Aubrey drawled.  "Why is JC going to Russia in January?" She asked as she took a second bag of popcorn from its plastic wrapper and stuck it into the microwave.  Hitting the "popcorn" button on the black appliance she turned, folding her arms across her chest as she leaned back against the counter.  "Getting a jump start on the tour?" She teased.  "I know he's a workaholic, but this is taking it a little far I think."

"No." Rachel laughed.  "He's working on that movie part he got a few months ago." She continued as she walked over to the fridge. "Though he can't act to save his life." She muttered under her breath as she opened it and pulled out a bottle of water.  Aubrey chuckled.  Rachel offered the bottle to Aubrey but Aubrey shook her head. "They need him over there to do some scenes before he's unavailable because of the tour." Rachel continued as she closed the refrigerator and came to stand by Aubrey again.

Aubrey watched as Rachel opened the bottle in her hand and took a drink.  "And you're going because..." She trailed off in question. 

Rachel smiled.  "Because I'm addicted." She replied with a shrug and Aubrey laughed.  "What can I say?" She asked.  "I hate being apart from him.  You tell me...if Justin were leaving the country for two weeks and you had the ability to go with him, would you?"

"Probably." Aubrey conceded with a nod as she looked down at the engagement ring on her left hand, a smile coming to her lips as she thought about the man who had put it there a week ago.   

"There you go." Rachel said.  "That's why I'm going to Russia in January."

"Are you guys going to be back for Justin's party on the twenty-eight?" Aubrey asked as the microwave started beeping.  She turned and opened the door.

Of course!" Rachel replied.  "I am helping to plan it after all."

Aubrey smiled, though she rolled her eyes as she emptied the new bag of popcorn into the bowl.  Since she'd mentioned to Rachel a few weeks ago that she wanted to plan something for Justin's birthday at the end of the month, Rachel had all but taken over--quickly jumping into party-planning mode--and all Aubrey could do was sit back and smile.  She knew that more hassle and frustration would come from arguing with Rachel then in just letting her have her way.  How she was finding the time to plan this party with Aubrey while she was still in the middle of planning and putting together her own wedding was beyond Aubrey, but definitely worked to prove that the party planning arena was where Rachel belonged.

"We're leaving next Wednesday and we'll be back on the twenty-second." Rachel continued.   "Have you thought of what you're going to get Justin yet?" Rachel asked. 

"No." Aubrey shook her head as she picked up the bowl of popcorn.  "But at least I know he can't outdo me with anything like he did last week."  She continued as she held up her left hand.

"I still can't believe you two are engaged!" Rachel replied as she shook her head in amazement. 

"What do you mean, you can't believe it?" Aubrey asked with a chuckle.  "You were the one plotting to get us together from the beginning!"

"Yeah, but..." Rachel trailed off and Aubrey looked at her.  "I don't think I really thought it was going to happen." She admitted.  "You and Justin can both be very stubborn when you want to be." She continued as she pointed a finger at Aubrey in accusation.

"Says the queen of stubbornness herself." Aubrey quipped as she picked up the bowl of popcorn.  Rachel laughed.  "Come on." Aubrey said with a smile as Justin suddenly let out a cheer from the other room.  "We're missing all the fun."

 ~~~~~~

"Yeah!  Eat that!" Twenty-eight year old Justin Timberlake taunted in triumph as he turned and pointed a finger at his friend and band mate JC Chasez.  He laughed as JC groaned.

"Don't you ever get sick of being good at everything?" JC asked he turned his attention back to the flat screen in front of them--returning the game they'd been playing to the main menu. 

"Nope." Justin shook his head, puffing his chest out in pride.  "Can't say that I do." He replied.  JC chuckled as Justin pulled the small plastic guitar over his head.  "One of you girls want a turn?" He asked, turning to look at Aubrey and Rachel as they walked into the family room.

"I do." Rachel replied with a smile as she skipped walk towards him. 

"Careful," Justin warned in an exaggerated whisper as he handed her the guitar.  "His ego's been bruised." He gestured his head towards JC.  "He's a broken man so go easy on him."

Rachel laughed as she playfully pushed Justin away.  "Get out of here." She said as she turned towards her fiancé.  "You're going down, Chasez." She threatened as she pulled the guitar strap over her head.

"We'll see about that, Miss Sassy Pants." JC replied as he selected a song.

"Hey, no fair!" Rachel exclaimed.  "I don't know this song!"

"So?" JC shrugged.  "If you're really the champion you think you are, you shouldn't have any problem with it, right?"

Rachel stuck out her tongue at JC and Justin laughed as he turned away from the couple--leaving them to continue bickering good-naturedly--and walked towards the couch.  "Hey pretty girl." He said with a smile as he plopped down beside Aubrey.

"Hey." She replied with a grin. 

"You missed it." He told her as he leaned forward and kissed her quickly.  "I totally beat JC's ass with that last song."

"Mmmm...you're going to have to do it again, so I can see." She told him and he grinned as he kissed her again.  

"Why don't you get up there and take a turn?" Justin asked as he slouched down on the cushions and put his arm around Aubrey's shoulders.

"No thanks." She shook her head as she leaned back against him. 

"Why not?" He questioned as they watched Rachel and JC battling in front of them.

"Because it's more fun to watch you guys." She told him.  "And I'm not very good at video games."

"It's not really a video game." He countered.  "You're playing a guitar."

"Yeah, but it's the whole playing-notes-at-certain-times-while-watching-the-screen thing that gets me." She replied and he laughed as he tightened his arm around her. "I'm having fun just watching." She told him as she turned and smiled at him.  "This is a lot better than what I was doing last New Year's."

"What were you doing last year?" Justin asked as he reached over, took a handful of popcorn from the bowl and shoved the kernels into his mouth.

"I was snowed in at home with my parents." Aubrey answered.  Justin made an exaggerated noise of disgust and Aubrey laughed as she slapped his chest playfully.  "Come on." She said.  "It wasn't that bad."

"I'm kidding." Justin assured her.  "Your parents are great."

She smiled.  "What were you doing last New Year's?" She asked.  "Or do I not want to know the answer to that question?" She teased.

"Well..." Justin drawled as he looked at her guiltily. 

"Nevermind." Aubrey replied with a shake of her head as she turned back to watching Rachel and JC.  "Forget I asked."

Justin chuckled as he tightened both arms around her and pulled her back against his chest.  "I was here spending some quality alone time with Buckley and Brennan." He told her as he placed his lips against the side of her neck.  "What did you think I was doing?"

"I don't know." Aubrey shrugged.  "You were still dating Jessica this time last year, weren't you?" She asked.  "I just assumed you two were at some party or event or...something."

"We weren't together for New Year's." Justin told her.  Aubrey was quiet as Justin was reminded of what life had been like twelve months ago.  It was amazing to him how completely everything had turned around is so short a time. 

He still couldn't believe Aubrey had said yes when he'd proposed on Christmas--that she was now wearing his ring for the entire world to see.  He watched as the diamond on her finger caught the light when she moved to grab some popcorn.  He felt tempted at times to pinch himself to find out if he were dreaming. He had come close a few times to popping the question in some of his past relationships, but it had never been the right time.  He knew now that not only had it not been the right time, it had also not been the right girl.

Until now. 

His lips lifted in a smile as he thought about her parent's reactions when they'd found out.  Aubrey's mother had been ecstatic while her father...Justin's smile faltered slightly.  Her father had pulled him aside after dinner Christmas night and the two of them had had a lengthy and serious discussion in his office.

Justin had spent the better part of his life up on stage--performing in front of millions of people--but he never been so nervous in his entire life as he had been sitting in that small room with the Sergeant.  Henry Davis was a friendly, easy going man for the most part, but he could put the fear of God in you faster than you could cross yourself.  If there was one thing Justin was certain about it was that he and Aubrey were going to be together forever.  If the fact that he was hopelessly and completely in love with her wasn't enough, the painful and humiliating retribution promised by her father should he ever break his little girl's heart, was all the reason Justin needed to stay focused and committed to their relationship.

His mom had also expressed some hesitancy about how quickly he and Aubrey had become engaged.  It wasn't that she didn't like Aubrey, but she reminded him of the length of some of his past relationships and how he'd never been ready to take this step so quickly before.  Justin shook his head as he chuckled softly to himself, thinking about the conversation he'd had with his mom a few days ago. 

 

"I love Aubrey, Justin." Lynn said over the phone.  "I've told you before that I think she's a perfect match for you.  That's not the issue."

"Then what is the issue, Ma?" Justin asked as he sat out on his back porch, his long legs stretched out as his feet rested on the wood railing.  "I thought you'd be happy I was finally settling down and getting married."

"Well..."His mother paused.  "You and Jess were together for about two years and you were just beginning to think about maybe asking her to marry you, and then there was Cameron before that.  You two were no where near being ready to get married after the couple of years you were together.  I know you and Britt--"

"Stop." Justin said firmly.  He took a few deep breaths to calm his anger and frustration.  "Aubrey's not Jessica." Justin finally said.  "Or Cameron.  Or Britney."

"I know, Justin." Lynn answered with a sigh.  "I just--"

"Ma, the relationship I have with Aubrey is so completely different than any other one I've ever been in." Justin told his mother.  "It's been different from day one.  It's hard to explain everything I feel for her-I still haven't found the right words--but I know without a doubt that she is the one I'm supposed to be with." He continued with conviction.  "I love her." He stated.  "More than I have ever loved anyone before."

Lynn was quiet for a moment.  "Just promise me one thing." She finally said.

"What?" Justin asked.

"Promise me you won't rush the wedding because of everything going on right now." His mother asked.  "You both have enough that you're dealing with and I think that adding the stress of planning a wedding right now could cause more damage than good."

Justin's brows furrowed slightly as he thought about what his mother had said.  "I promise." He finally said.

"Good." Lynn answered.  "Now...when are you bringing this girl home so the rest of the family can meet her?"

 

"What do you want for your birthday?" Aubrey asked suddenly, bringing Justin out of his thoughts as she turned towards him.  She lifted one arm, resting her forearm on his shoulder as she used it to prop her chin up.  He turned slightly to face her--their noses brushing as their eyes met.  She looked at him expectantly but all he could think about was how beautiful she was.  He still hadn't figured out what he had done to deserve her.

"Well?" She asked with the rise of one delicate eyebrow as he continued to remain quiet.

"I'm sorry." He said as he shook his head slightly.  "What was your question?" He asked, unable to remember what she'd asked him a second ago.

She chuckled, her lips lifting in a smile.  "What do you want for your birthday?" She asked again as she nudged him, her hazel eyes holding his steadily.

"You." He told her without a pause as he closed the small space between them and pressed his lips against hers.

Aubrey pushed him playfully as she shook her head, a slight scowl coming to her face.  "You have me." She told him.  "What else do you want?"

He shrugged.  "Whatever." He said and Aubrey sighed beside him as her scowl deepened.  He chuckled at her obvious frustration as he reached over and grabbed another handful of popcorn from the bowl sitting in her lap.  "I don't need anything." He told her.  "So don't worry about it."

"Oh, I'm going to think of something." Aubrey assured him.  "I'm going to think of something really good." She promised him.  "And it's going to be a surprise."

Justin grinned.  "It always is with you." He told her as he leaned forward, once more pressing his lips against hers as he lifted one hand--his fingers threading through her hair.  "It always is." 

Their kiss was interrupted by JC who suddenly groaned in front of them.  Rachel threw up her arms and let out a triumphant squeal and Justin looked over at the couple standing in front of him--forgetting that he and Aubrey weren't alone in the house.

"Told you, you were going down!" Rachel laughed as she danced around a bit.

"Poor guy." Aubrey commented beside him.  Justin turned to look at her.  "JC can't catch a break tonight.  You two keep beating him.  I should get up there and play just so he can say he won at least once."

Justin laughed. "A think a pity win is the same as another loss.  So really, you wouldn't be doing him any good."

"I'm done with this game." JC said, pulling his guitar over his head.  "Rach, let's go home."

"Awe, come on." Rachel replied with a pout.  "Pick another song."

"No." JC shook his head.  "I'm done humiliating myself in front of you guys tonight.  Besides," He continued.  "We've got to be at the studio early tomorrow morning to start rehearsals." He pointed at Justin.

"I know." Justin replied, fighting to keep from rolling his eyes.  Since the reunion had been announced and the tour had begun to be organized, JC had quickly stepped back into his roll as "father" of the group and Justin had to fight back his irritation and frustration at the guy.  He wasn't a teenager anymore who didn't know what in the hell he was doing.  He had had, and still had his own incredibly successful career and didn't need anyone telling him or reminding him about where he was supposed to be or what he was supposed to be doing all the time.  He was beginning to feel the same sense of entrapment he had felt before he was given the chance to do his own thing and wondered if this whole reunion thing was really such a great idea.

"You guys can't leave yet." Aubrey insisted, once more bringing Justin out of his thoughts and he was grateful for the distraction from the path his thoughts and emotions had been on.  "It's not even midnight yet!" She exclaimed.

Rachel looked at her watch.  "Almost." She said as she sat down on the other couch.  "Come on, popstar." She said to JC as she patted the cushion beside her.  "Come sit by me so I can get my kiss at midnight." She grinned up at him.

"Kiss me at midnight," Justin began singing and Aubrey turned to look at him, an amused smile on her face as his perfect voice washed over her.  "Dance until the morning light." He winked at Aubrey and grinned.

"That's right!" Rachel said as JC sat down beside her.

Justin reached over and grabbed the remote lying on the coffee table.  Flipping through the stations he found the annual and traditional Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve celebration and turned the volume up slightly.  They watched the group performing for a moment until Justin spoke up.

"Jace, you remember when we preformed on this show that one year?" Justin asked as he slouched down further on the couch.

"Yeah." JC answered.

"Man it was cold!" Justin continued.

"I remember watching you guys." Rachel supplied with a smile. 

"Of course you do." JC said as he put his arm around her. 

"Is there a performance of ours you didn't see?" Justin asked Rachel.

"Possibly." Rachel replied, looking thoughtful for a moment.  "But I doubt it." She smiled.

"When did you guys perform on this show?" Aubrey asked, looking first at Justin then across the room at JC in question.

"2000." The guys and Rachel all said almost in unison. 

"Well, that explains why I don't remember see it." Aubrey replied with a laugh.

"Why's that?" Justin asked.

"That's when we were living over in Germany." She told him. 

"I'm sure I have a copy of it taped somewhere." Rachel offered.

"I'm sure you do too." JC teased as he rolled his eyes. 

Rachel playfully slapped JC's shoulder.  "That was when Justin still had all his curls." She grinned at Aubrey.  "You should definitely see it!"

Justin groaned.  "Heaven only knows what kind of blackmail that girl's got on all of us." Justin muttered under his breath, just loud enough for Rachel to hear him.  "She's one of those crazy girls that made it necessary for us to have all the security that we did." He told Aubrey.

"Careful what you say about me, Timberlake." Rachel replied, tossing a pillow at him.  Justin chuckled as he dodged it.  "Or some of that ‘blackmail' I have may just happen to find its way into a magazine somewhere or into the hands of your fiancé there.  I've got a few pictures of you that may make her rethink her decision to marry you." Rachel threatened from her spot on the couch.

"Oh yeah?" Justin asked.

"Yeah." Rachel replied as she folded her arms across her chest.  "Do the words buffalo skin coat, mean anything to you?" She asked with a devious smile and a sassy lift of one eyebrow.

Justin and Rachel stared silently at each other from across the room for a moment until Aubrey spoke up.  "I want to see the pictures." She told Rachel.  "They can't be that bad." She said, placing a reassuring hand on Justin's arm.  "You should see some of my junior high and high school pictures.  We all go through awkward phases."

Rachel laughed.  "What are you doing tomorrow?" She asked Aubrey.  Aubrey shrugged as she looked over at her.  "Come over and I'll introduce you to a whole other side of Mr. SexyBack there."

Aubrey turned to look at him as Justin groaned beside her.  "Please don't hold whatever she shows you," he said, glancing hard at Rachel and then turning his blue eyes on her.  "Against me." He pled.

Aubrey smiled at his worry and concern.  "I won't." She told him as she chuckled, once more placing her arm on his shoulder as she leaned towards him.  "I promise." She said as she kissed his cheek then laid her head on his shoulder.        

~~~~~~

"How do I look?" Justin asked Aubrey over his shoulder as he straightened the tie around his neck in the mirror Monday night.  Before she could answer, Rachel scoffed from across the room.

"Please." Rachel said.  "You're Mr. SexyBack. When don't you look good?"

"I look good?" Justin asked Aubrey as he turned to look at her, a mischievous glint in his blue eyes.

"You look great." Aubrey said, her eyes running over the white shirt and black vest he was wearing.  If there was one thing Justin wore well it was vests, and Aubrey couldn't help the smile that spread across her face as she looked at him.  "Better than those pictures Rachel showed me last week, that's for sure." She teased, giggling when he growled and put his arms around her-pulling her close.

"You promised you weren't going to hold those against me." He reminded her. 

"I'm not holding them against you." She replied, shaking her head as she ran her hands up and over his shoulders.  "I told you, you look great." She said, leaning forward to kiss him quickly.

"Don't stroke his ego." JC said as he came into the room.  "It's already too big.  It doesn't need any more help from you." He pointed at Aubrey.  "Or you." He said in reference to Rachel.  Aubrey laughed as she looked over her shoulder at the other man.

"Ignore him." Justin whispered as he tightened his arms around Aubrey.  Aubrey turned back to face him.  "You can stroke my ego anytime you want." He told her, his eyebrows wagging suggestively as he once more pressed his lips against hers.  Aubrey chuckled as she playfully pushed him away, feeling a little uncomfortable kissing him when she knew anybody could walk through the door behind them.

"The fun has arrived!"

Case in point.  She thought as Justin turned his head as Chris suddenly bounded into the room, loudly exclaiming his presence.  "Awe!" Chris exclaimed as his brown eyes took in the four people already in the room.  "Am I interrupting couple time?" He asked.

"If I said yes, would you leave?" Justin asked, moving his arm to rest around Aubrey shoulders as she turned slightly.

"Nope." Chris shook his head as he walked towards Aubrey.  "When are you going to leave this kid," he gestured his head towards Justin, "and let me show you what a real man can do for you?" He asked as he took a hold of her hand and pulled her away from Justin.

"I uh...well I..." Aubrey paused, completely flustered.  She didn't know what to say!  "I-I don't..." She looked back at Justin, silently begging him to help her out and Chris chuckled at her obvious discomfort.

"She's speechless in my presence." Chris continued with a grin.  "That's okay." He replied, soothingly.  "When you're ready, you let me know." He lifted her hand to his lips then turned and walked over to JC-the two men shaking hands and hugging in greeting.

"Where are Joey and Lance?" JC asked as Chris plopped down on the couch beside Rachel.

"Joey called me as I was driving in." Chris said as he put his arm around Rachel's shoulders, pulling her to kiss her cheek.  "He said he was almost here, but I haven't heard from Lance this morning."

"I'm here." Lance said as he walked into the room. 

"It's about time, slacker." Justin teased as he jumped up on the counter below the mirror he'd been looking in a few moments before.

"Just because I'm not OCD and insist on being everywhere and hour early doesn't mean I'm a slacker." Lance replied.  "Hi Aubrey." He said in greeting as he smiled at her.  "How are you doing?"

"I'm good." Aubrey said, giving him a hug.  She'd met Chris, Lance and Joey a few months ago when the guys had all been in town to announce their reunion and had been surprised at how quickly and easily they had all seemed to accept her in Justin's life and as a part of the group.  She smiled.  Less than a year ago she'd been struggling with feelings of loneliness and wanting to leave California to go back home and now where was she?  Engaged to one of--if not the--most eligible bachelors in the world, and a part of a close, tight knit group of friends.  Yes, life had gotten a little more complicated for her since the group had gotten back together and yes, she sometimes wished Justin wasn't who he was, but for the most part life had turned out pretty good. 

Not too bad for a simple country girl. Aubrey thought as she watched everyone talking and laughing together.  Not too bad.

"N SYNC to make-up."

Everyone looked up or turned around as a knock came at the door.  A producer stuck his head into the room.  "Time for make-up." He said then disappeared as quickly as he'd arrived.

"Well," Chris said, slapping his hands on his thighs as he stood up.  "You heard the man.  Time to go get pretty.  Where's Joe?  He said he was almost here."

"I am here." Joey said, finally walking into the green room.  "Sorry guys." He shrugged.  "My flight was delayed this morning and then we ran into traffic..." He took a deep breath.  "But I'm here."

"Alright." JC said as the five guys walked towards the door.  "Let's do this."

End Notes:

Let me know what you think, and if it's even worth it to tell this part of their story...

Chapter 2 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
I know you guys just want to read about Rachel/JC and Aubrey/Justin, but Megan is going to be a bigger part of this story and this chapter is setting that up.  Without all this background information the rest of the story isn't going to make much sense...

"The guys were great last night." Megan Taylor said, her voice coming over the phone Tuesday night.

"Yeah, they were." Rachel answered with a smile as she bent her head, holding her cell phone between her ear and shoulder as she folded the clothes in front of her and put them into her suitcase.

"I forgot how much I missed seeing and watching them all together.  Justin was cute when he got all tongue tied when Conan asked him about Aubrey." Megan chuckled.

"If you thought that was cute, you should have seen Aubrey's blush!" Rachel laughed.

"How's she doing with all the publicity?" Megan asked.

"Well..." Rachel chuckled.  "There really hasn't been a whole lot up until now.  Everyone's just starting to hear about their engagements and ask questions and now with the tour kicking off...I don't know." She sighed.  "Honestly, I'm a little worried about her." Rachel turned and sat down on the bed.  "She's so sweet and naïve.  I don't want her to become jaded by everything, you know?"

"You did okay with the transition." Megan offered.

"Yeah, but let's be honest." Rachel laughed as she flopped back on the bed.  "Not that many people were really interested in Jace anymore before he released his CD last year."

"True." Megan chuckled.  "But you still had to make a transition.  She'll be fine.  She's got you to show her the ropes." She continued and Rachel smiled.  "So are you packed?" Megan asked.

"No." Rachel laughed.  "Did you really just ask me that?" She asked.  "Don't you know me at all?"

Megan laughed in response.  "Well, you know..." She drawled and Rachel could picture her friend shrugging.

"I've still got..." Rachel lifted her head slightly and looked at the clock on the nightstand.  "Almost nine hours before our flight leaves." She continued as she lay back again.  "I'm fine.  I've got all night."

"Oh, okay." Megan laughed.  "Where's JC tonight?"

"Rehearsing." Rachel answered, brushing her hair back from her face.  "He was supposed to be home a few hours ago, but he's not which means he's going to be tired and cranky when he gets home." And so much fun to travel with tomorrow. She thought with a roll of her eyes.  "But enough about me." She said, waving her hand through the air.  "Tell me about you.  Have you talked to Jackson yet?"

~~~~~~ 

Megan sighed as she sat down on the couch in her family room.  "No." She shook her head, though Rachel couldn't see her.  "We haven't...he's been busy."  Megan finished lamely as she picked at an invisible thread on her flannel pajama pants.  She didn't really want to talk about this right now and had been hoping Rachel wouldn't bring up the topic of them moving to California.  She was bound to ask questions that Megan didn't have the answers to or want to talk about. 

"Megs..." Rachel whined.  "You said you were going to talk to him!" Megan rolled her eyes and fought the smile that came with the mental picture of Rachel pouting. 

"I know." Megan sighed.  "I know.  There's just been...a lot going on lately.  I'll talk to him." 

"I've got an appointment to talk to a loan officer when I get back at the end of the month." Rachel told her.  "So, not to pressure you or anything, but I kind of need an answer on whether you're going to do this with me by then."

"I'll talk to him!" Megan repeated, the answer coming out a bit harsher than she anticipated.

"Okay." Rachel chuckled in surrender at Megan's frustration.

Megan took a deep breath.  Getting angry was only going to make Rachel ask more questions.  "You'll have your answer by the time you get back, I promise." She said, forcing a smile as she leaned her head against the back of the couch and put her free hand over her eyes.  "I saw your Dad yesterday." She said, changing the subject.  She bit her lip, wondering if she was going to be able to keep the promise she'd just made to Rachel.  While moving to L.A. and helping Rachel in her new business endeavor was something she really wanted to do, there were more important things she needed to worry about at the moment. Like, where exactly my husband is right now.   

"Oh, yeah?" Rachel asked, bringing Megan from her thoughts.

"Yeah." Megan nodded. "I was over at my Mom's with Scotty yesterday and I saw him when we were out taking a walk."

"I need to call him." Rachel stated.

"Yes, you do." Megan replied.  The girls talked for another thirty minutes until Rachel finally admitted she should probably finish packing.  "Have fun." Megan told her wistfully.  "And know that I'm completely jealous."

"Don't be too jealous." Rachel laughed.  "I looked online today and the average temperature over there right now is 16."  She said and Megan laughed.  "What is so funny?" Rachel insisted.

"You!" Megan replied.  "Miss I-wear-socks-in-the-middle-of-the-summer!"

"Yeah, well..." Rachel trailed off.  "I can't help it if my feet are always cold.  Besides, I'm traveling over there with my own personal space heater." She replied.

Megan burst out laughing at Rachel's definition of JC.

"Now what are you laughing at?" Rachel asked with a chuckle.

"I don't think Jace has enough body fat to be considered a space heater." Megan answered.

"Body fat or not, he makes me hot." Rachel stated firmly.

"And what are you going to do while that space heater is gone all day filming?" Megan asked.

"Stay as close to the fireplace in our room as possible." Rachel answered with a laugh and Megan joined her.

"Alright..." Megan drawled.  "Just remember it was your idea to tag along with him.  Don't come crying to me when you're freezing your butt off over there."

"I won't." Rachel promised.

"And if you do, promise you'll figure out the time difference before you call?" Megan asked.

"I promise." Rachel replied.  "And I'm going to bring you back something really cool!" She promised.  "I don't know what yet, but I'm going to search the city to find the perfect souvenir."

"Okay." Megan smiled.

"Alright," Rachel said.  "I really should go and finish all this packing.  Plus I've still got a couple loads of laundry I need to do tonight.  I'll talk to you later?"

"Yeah." Megan nodded.

"Okay." Rachel laughed.  "Bye."

"Bye."    

Megan ended the call and looked down at the phone in her hands, her smile fading.  It had felt good to laugh with Rachel.  There hadn't been a lot to laugh about recently.  Her eyes strayed to the clock hanging above the entertainment center across the room from her. 9:45. He should have been home by now.  Her brows furrowed and she fought against the loneliness threatening to overwhelm her.  The sudden suffocating emptiness of the house felt like it was closing in on her.  She heard what she thought was a car door closing and her heart leapt.  Her eyes went to the garage door, silently willing it to open--for him to be there.  After sitting there for a few minutes--with no indication that it had been Jackson's car she had heard outside--the melancholy soon returned and Megan stood up.  She debated whether or not to call him but decided not to.  What good would it do?  She asked herself.  Slowly she made her way through the house, turning off all but the porch light and one lamp in the living room, as she made her way down the hall. 

She peeked into Scotty's room, the sight of her son sleeping quietly and peacefully in his bed lifting the corners of her lips slightly. It was had to believe he was almost a year old!  He was learning to walk and jabbered non-stop in his effort to try to talk.  She stepped towards the crib, her smile spreading as she looked down as his sweet, round face and she wished for time to slow down.  She wasn't ready to give up her baby quite yet.  As soon as he started walking in earnest and talking, it wouldn't be long before he was ready for school and before she knew it, he wouldn't need her anymore.

With a sad sigh she turned and tiptoed out of the nursery and continued toward her own room.  Not even bothering to brush her teeth, Megan turned out the light as the depression she's been battling the last few months grabbed a hold of her heart.  She crawled beneath the covers. 

Alone. 

Again. 

 ~~~~~~

Rachel turned her head as she flipped her cell phone closed and looked over at the open suit case lying on the bed next to her.  She sighed as she thought about everything she had to get done before she and JC left in the morning.  Alright, Rachel.  She told herself, taking a deep breath then releasing it.  Focus.  All you've really got to do is-

"Oof!" She exclaimed in surprise as JC suddenly appeared out of nowhere--the air leaving her lungs as he pounced atop her.  "Jace?" She laughed as he bent his head and started kissing her.  "What are you doing? Get off me!" She exclaimed as she put her hands on his chest and tried to push him away.

JC laughed as he pulled back and looked down at her, resting his weight on his elbows.  "I couldn't resist." He told her.  "You were just lying here with your arms wide open in invitation." His blue eyes sparkled as he grinned down at her. 

"Normally it would be." She told him, still trying to get him to move.  "But right now you're sweaty and gross."  She tried to catch her breath.  "And crushing me."  JC laughed again as he bent his head and nuzzled her neck.  Rachel finally gave up and relaxed back against the mattress.  "Fine," she said, throwing her arms out to the side once more in surrender.  "Have your way with me." She declared dramatically.

"Now, that's more like it." He replied, his lips beginning to roam over her skin.  Rachel sighed and wound her arms around his neck as his mouth finally connected with her own and she wondered if it would always be like this between them.  Would she always feel this excitement and the quickening of her pulse whenever he was near?  Would he always be able to leave her breathless with his kisses?  Would the love they shared always contain the same delicious mixture of lust and desire?

I hope so.  She thought as he finally released her mouth and looked down at her once more.  Rachel slowly opened her eyes--her lips lifting in a smile at the look in his blue eyes.  She lifted a hand, combing her fingers through his dark hair. 

"I need to finish packing." She told him.  "And cleaning."

"Why don't you forget about packing for a while and come help me clean up." He replied with a smirk and she laughed as she pushed at his chest once more.  "Come on." He said, finally moving to stand up.  Rachel leaned up on her elbows as she watched him--one eyebrow cocked.  "You know you want to." He continued with a seductive grin, walking backwards a few paces as he slowly removed the T-shirt that had been clinging to him. 

Damn!  She thought, her stomach beginning to quiver as her eyes roamed over his chest.  JC had always had a nice body but now, after being on tour with his own album last year and working with the rest of the guys for the N SYNC reunion tour starting in a couple months he was in incredible shape.  He stopped as he got to the doorway to the bathroom and looked at her-the electricity sparking hotly between them.  Slowly he lifted one hand and crooked a finger at her. 

Rachel had no choice but to stand and follow him. 

JC smiled triumphantly as she walked towards him and she laughed as she shook her head.  "It's really not fair, you know." She said as she stopped in front of him.  "How you can affect me so easily, and after all this time that we've been together."  She sighed in appreciation as her eyes once more traveled over his naked torso.

"All's fair in love and war, right?" He asked.

Rachel chuckled.  "Right." She replied.  JC lifted a hand, his fingers going beneath her chin as he stepped forward and lifted her face--pressing his lips against hers. 

"And this is definitely love." He said. 

Rachel laughed as she rolled her eyes.  "You are so cheesy sometimes!" She exclaimed.  He grinned and she smiled as she put her hands to his face, her lips finding his.  She gasped in surprise as JC suddenly broke the seal of their lips.  Leaning down, he wrapped his arms around her legs and lifted her--placing her over his shoulder.  "JC!" She exclaimed with a laugh.  "What are you doing?!  Put me down!"

JC just laughed as he turned and walked into the bathroom.  "Shower time!" He said as he opened the glass door to the shower and finally set her feet down on the tile.  He stepped in with her and shut the door. 

"Don't you dare!" Rachel warned pointing a finger at him as his hand slowly reached to turn on the water.  "I'm still dressed!  Jace...I'm warning you.  Wait...no!" She exclaimed as she crossed her arms in front of her face and turned away when he turned the water on--letting out a purely evil laugh.  Rachel gasped and took a step backwards.  Pushing her hair back she wiped the water from her face as she stepped out of the way of the spray of water.  "Joshua Scott Chasez!" She fumed as she put her hands on her hips.  "I can't believe you just did that!" 

"Ah, lighten up, Sass." He told her as he took a step towards her.  "A little water never hurt anyone."

Rachel glared at him for a moment fighting to keep a straight face but he was so damn adorable standing there in his basketball shorts dripping wet that she couldn't help but smile. 

"Atta girl." He grinned.  "Now," he said, as he took a step towards her.  "Let's work on getting you out of these wet clothes." He continued as he backed her up against the tile wall.  He placed his hands on either side of her--caging her in--as he leaned over her. "What do you say?" He asked, the low, seductive quality of his voice making her shiver as he bent his head, his nose nuzzling her ear as his lips nibbled at her jaw line.   

"I'd say you're damn lucky I love you so much." She told him breathlessly, fighting hard to keep her knees from buckling.  Steam from the hot water began rising around them as JC pulled back to look at her in question.  "This little stunt of yours," she continued with a gesture between them, "could have cost you big time." She finished.  He chuckled.

Rachel poked his chest playfully with one finger before placing her palm against his warm, wet skin.  The other hand soon followed and she watched as her fingers slid up and over his shoulders.  Rational thought left her head as instinct kicked in and before she knew it she bent forward, her lips beginning to follow the path of her hands--up his chest and the column of his neck. 

A low groan escaped JC--rumbling deep in his chest-as she took his earlobe into her mouth and Rachel thrilled in triumph, knowing that she was the one causing him to feel this pleasure.  It still blew her mind sometimes that she was with him; that this was real.   His hands came down suddenly.  Tightly gripping her hips he pulled her towards him and his mouth seized hers hungrily.  Rachel wound her arms around his neck--her fingers sinking into his dark hair--as she willingly surrendered to him.  Once again she thanked whatever god in heaven had orchestrated their lives to coincide so perfectly.  What she and JC shared was unbelievable and if it hadn't of been for some divine intervention in the form of Jackson Taylor, falling in love with her best friend, she may never have met the man that was now currently kissing her senseless. 

Rachel lifted her arms as JC peeled the wet T-shirt from her body and shivered as he let his hands skirt down her arms and sides, once more coming to rest on her hips.

"I love you." JC vowed as he captured her mouth once more. 

"Even though I beat you at Guitar Hero last week?" Rachel teased. 

JC laughed.  "Even though you beat me at Guitar Hero." He nodded and she smiled.

"Good.  I love you, too." She told him. 

"So, why are we still wearing clothes?" He asked, his eyes narrowing in question as he cocked his head to the side.

"You tell me." She replied, looking up at him through her lashes.  Even though she knew she looked like a drowned rat standing there half naked and soaking wet, JC stood there looking like she'd never been more beautiful to him.  She went up on her toes as she pressed her lips against his.  "Come on, pop star." She said, placing one hand against his face.  "Let's get this party started."  JC grinned as he bent slightly.  Wrapping his arms around her waist he picked her up as he turned and stepped beneath the spray of water.    

~~~~~~

Jackson Taylor quietly opened the front door and stepped inside the dark, silent house.  Shutting and locking the door behind him he turned off the porch light as he dropped his computer bag by the end of the couch and began loosening his tie. Out of habit he walked into the kitchen, flipped on the light, and opened the fridge.  His eyes landed on a foil covered plate on the top shelf and he took it out.  Lifting the foil he peeked beneath it.  A large portion of Megan's delicious chicken enchiladas greeted him and he felt a twinge of guilt. 

He turned, looking around the kitchen but everything was spotless-as usual.  All evidence of her cooking had been wiped off and put away.  He knew how much time and energy went into these and he wondered what had prompted her to make them today.  She usually only made them for his birthday or their anniversary, but his birthday wasn't until June and they'd celebrated their anniversary back in September.  With a shrug he put the plate back in the fridge and shut the door.  Turning the kitchen light back off, Jackson made his way down the hall--stopping briefly to check on Scott.  He hoped Megan was still up, reading or something, and he could tell her he was sorry for being late and missing dinner but as he continued towards the Master bedroom he was met with only quiet darkness. 

Stopping just inside the doorway, his eyes took in the curled up form of his wife beneath the covers, her quiet breathing almost imperceptible.  With a sigh of disappointment he unbuttoned the white dress shirt he was wearing and took it off, tossing it in the clothes hamper as he walked into the bathroom and shut the door.

Five minutes later, Jackson slid beneath the covers and lay staring up at the ceiling.  The two feet separating himself from his wife felt could have been the Grand Canyon and Jackson stayed awake, hoping for the inspiration he needed to fix his marriage.  He turned his head and looked over at Megan as she continued to lay with her back to him-wanting so badly to just reach over and touch her, but not daring to.  He was unsure of what her reaction would be and that scared him.

For the last month they had been like ships passing in the night.  She was usually in bed by the time he got home and was still sleeping when he left early in the morning.  She had quit calling him during the day just to say hi and, he admitted, he had stopped calling her as well.  It had been a few days since he had kissed her--and even then it didn't count as a real kiss--and he couldn't remember the last time he'd made love to her. 

He missed her.  He missed the sound of her voice.  He missed her smile.  He missed hearing her laugh.  He missed the way she smelled, the way she felt in his arms, the way she tasted. 

He was losing her. 

They'd fallen into a rut.  Every day he felt her pulling farther away from him but he didn't know how to fix it.  Please help me fix this.  He pled silently.  If he didn't, he was afraid his worst nightmare was going to come true.  One day he was going to come home and find her gone and he would be left alone again.  His heart constricted painfully at that thought and he turned on his side.  The separation from her was suddenly too much and Jackson reached out--wrapping his arms around Megan as he pulled her back against his chest.  If the action woke her up she showed no reaction, but Jackson didn't care.  All he cared about was being close to her.

He couldn't lose her.

~~~~~~ 

Megan's eyes opened as Jackson suddenly wrapped her in his strong embrace and pulled her close and she fought to keep from gasping in surprise.  She had been lying in bed, awake, since she had heard him open the front door.  She could smell the lingering aroma of his cologne and wanted to turn around and snuggle into his warm, protective embrace.  Something inside kept her from doing so, however and she reminded herself that she was still mad at him. 

Why hadn't he called to tell he was going to be late?  For that matter, why didn't he call her anymore, period?  Was work really that important?  There had been a time when he couldn't wait to get home and be with her.  What had changed?  And why hadn't he tried to do anything more than give her a quick, cursory kiss as he left in the morning for weeks? 

She bit her bottom lip to stop its trembling.  She knew the house was sometimes a mess when he got home, but it was hard taking care of Scott all day and keeping up with all the household chores by herself.  She hadn't gotten back down to the size she was before she'd gotten pregnant, but she was trying.  Was he just not attracted to her anymore?  She closed her eyes to stop the tears from falling and sniffed suddenly before she could stop it--the noise seeming to echo in the quiet room.  Her heart pounded nervously in her chest.

"Megan?" Jackson asked quietly from behind her.  The sound of concern in his voice went straight to her heart and she clenched her eyes closed tightly as tears leaked beneath her lashes.  She remained quiet however, not trusting her voice, and waited to see what he would do.  Jackson tightened his arms around her and whispered the three words she'd begun to think she'd never hear him say to her again--it had been so long. 

"I love you." He breathed and Megan finally allowed herself to relax in his embrace.  Maybe everything is going to be okay.  She told herself.  Maybe she was just blowing everything out of proportion and she needed to get a grip.  They'd been together for almost four years now.  They had a son.  He wasn't going to leave her.  This was just one of those rough patches that every couple goes through.

But if that were true, why the nagging doubts at the back of her mind that this was more than just a rough patch?          

~~~~~~

Justin Timberlake Engaged!  That's right ladies, you heard correctly.  The man who found sexy and subsequently brought it back is officially off the market.  Rumors began circulating last week that JT and his girlfriend of five months, Aubrey Davis (a receptionist and student and UCLA) were engaged. Sources claimed Aubrey had been spotted wearing an engagement ring after she and JT returned from visiting her parents in Virginia for Christmas.  When we contacted the Timberlake camp earlier this week Justin released the official statement that he and Miss Davis were in fact engaged.  No word yet on when the wedding will be and we have to ask: can this girl up to the challenge?  Does she have what it takes to be the fiancé of Mr. SexyBack? And why such a hasty engagement?  Are they trying to hide something? Should we perhaps be on the lookout for a baby bump?  Only time will tell...

 ~~~~~~

"So are you pregnant?"

"What?!" Aubrey asked in surprise Wednesday morning.  That hadn't been what she'd been expecting Rachel to say when she answered her cell phone.

"Are you pregnant?" Rachel asked again, a hint of a smile in her voice.

"No." Aubrey replied, still confused on where this line of questioning was coming from. "I'm not pregnant." She said as she lifted her shoulder and cocked her head, holding her phone in place so she could continue stapling together the marketing packets she had been given a few minutes ago.

"I can keep a secret." Rachel continued prodding.  "I won't tell anyone the rumors going around are true.  I just need to know if we're going to have to get your dress altered for the wedding."

"I'm not pregnant." Aubrey assured Rachel.  "You don't need to worry about having my dress altered.  I can't get pregnant." She finished under her breath. 

"Yeah, right now isn't really the best time for that." Rachel agreed.  "I wouldn't suggest trying for a while."

"No, I-" Aubrey started then stopped.  She didn't really feel like explaining to Rachel right now that she literally couldn't get pregnant.

"What was that?" Rachel asked at Aubrey's silence.

"Nevermind." Aubrey shook her head.  "Why are you calling me right now anyway?" She asked, quickly changing the subject--praying Rachel would take the bait.  "Aren't you supposed to be on your way to Moscow?"

"Layover." Rachel explained. "We're in Chicago for another hour.  I was at the bookstore browsing and came across the latest headlines involving you and your celebrity lover.  So when do you think you will be having the heir to the SexyBack fortune?" Rachel giggled.

Aubrey rolled her eyes, though she let out a chuckle.  "Good-bye, Rachel." She said.

"Bye." Rachel laughed as Aubrey ended the call.  She laughed as she shook her head and went back to her work.  She looked over a few minutes later when her phone vibrated.  Picking it up, Aubrey read the text she's received. 

~~~~~~ 

Hey, pretty girl.  What are you doing for lunch? 

Aubrey smiled as she read Justin's text and typed her response.   

I was planning on eating the tuna sandwich I made this morning...unless you have a better idea...

She only had to wait a moment for him to answer. 

I'll pick you up at noon. I love you.

Aubrey sent her reply, letting him know she'd be waiting and began counting down the hours until she would be seeing her sexy fiancée.

End Notes:

As always, I'm anxious to read what you guys think...

Chapter 3 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
this is a long one, but has a lot of "set up" info in it, so pay attention  :)

"Do you know what I love about you?" Justin asked Aubrey as they lay in bed Saturday morning.  He leaned up on one elbow-resting his head in his hand as he looked down at her. He couldn't resist reaching over with his other hand to caress the small bit of her stomach showing beneath the hem of her T-shirt. 

"What?" She asked.  She giggled as his fingertips moved over her soft skin and squirmed slightly to move away. Reaching down, Aubrey took his hand in an effort to stop his tickling, and laced their fingers together.
"I love that you don't care if Buckley and Brennan are in bed with us." He told her and she laughed.  Justin smiled.  He loved the sound of Aubrey's laugh.  She was always beautiful to him, but when she laughed she was downright irresistible.

"That's a weird thing to love about someone." She told him as she looked down towards the end of the bed at the two boxers who were laying there.  Brennan lifted her head, her short tail thumping the bed as she looked at Aubrey.  "I love those two." She told him.    

"Not everyone has been as...understanding as you are about them being in my life." He told her as he turned her hand in his and began massaging her palm with his thumb.  Aubrey turned back to look at him, her hazel eyes meeting his.  He held her gaze as he brought her hand to his mouth and pressed his lips into her palm.  She moved her hand slightly, placing it against his cheek.  "I just wanted to tell you that."

~~~~~~ 

"You're cute," Aubrey told him with a smile.  She ran her thumb over his bottom lip as she continued looking up at him.  She loved being like this with him.  It made it easier to push aside the fears that had begun nagging at her--wondering when this honeymoon phase they were in was going to wear off and real life was going to intrude on their relationship.  The press had already taken several jabs at her--publicly flaunting the fact that she was below the usual standard of girls Justin had dated in the past-and a small part of her wondered if he was going to wake up one day and realize that fact for himself.    

"Cute enough to tell me a secret?" He asked innocently. 

Aubrey narrowed her eyes in suspicion as she looked up at him.  "A secret?" She asked.  "What kind of a secret?"

"The secret of what you're getting me for my birthday." He continued a mischievous sparkle in his blue eyes.

"I'm not telling you that." She stated with a shake of her head. 

"Damn it!" Justin exclaimed with a scowl and Aubrey laughed at the frustrated look on his handsome face.

"Nice try, super star." She told him.  "But you're going to have to do better than that at buttering me up to get that secret out of me." 

Justin looked at her for a moment, one eye brow slowly rising and Aubrey chuckled, though her stomach began quivering at the sudden look of determination in his blue eyes.  She was in trouble!  She'd issued him a challenge, and one thing she'd learned about Justin in the time they'd been together was that he couldn't resist a challenge.

He turned his head slightly towards her hand that was still pressed against his face, and kissed her palm once again.  Lifting one of his hands he placed it against hers as his mouth moved down to her wrist-his lips caressing her skin.  He leaned over her as he laid her arm out on the mattress and began slowly kissing his way toward her shoulder.  Aubrey closed her eyes and couldn't help the breathy moan that escaped.  Justin chuckled softly. 

"Is this enough butter?" He asked.

Aubrey shook her head, unable to find her voice for a moment.  "No." She finally managed to squeak out.  Justin's low laugh sounded in her ear and she shivered as he moved atop her--one of his legs sliding between her own.  Instinctively hitching one leg over his hip, Aubrey fought to focus her mind on something other than the way Justin was nearly devouring her neck.  If she gave in to the delicious sensations coursing through her at his skillful and purposeful kisses, he was going to win.  She didn't want him to win.  She had thought long and hard on what she was getting him and she wanted to keep his birthday present a surprise. 

"Can I ask you a question?" Aubrey inquired proud of the steady quality of her voice.  She bit her bottom lip as one of Justin's hands moved down her side--his fingers slowly slipping beneath the hem of her shirt. 

"You just did." He replied, his response muffled as his lips continued to travel down her neck and throat. 

Aubrey rolled her eyes at his smart-aleck remark though he wasn't looking at her.  Her back arched slightly in reflex as he lifted her shirt higher and moved his lips down to her stomach.

"It's hard to believe sometimes that you're going to be twenty-nine in two weeks." She told him, breathlessly--her eyes closing. 

He was winning.

"Aubrey Janae!" Justin said, sitting back and looking down at her in mock horror.  "Such dirty words coming from your beautiful mouth." He tsked as he shook his head in reproach.

"Dirty words?" She asked with a confused chuckle.  "What are you talking about?  Twenty-nine?" She guessed and grinned as Justin gasped.  He put his hand to his heart as if she had physically wounded him and closed his eyes as if he were in pain.  She laughed as she put her hands to his bare chest.  Justin narrowed his eyes as he glared down at her.  "Don't worry." She told him.  "You'll always be sexy to me."

Justin lowered himself back down so he was closer to her--his palms resting on the mattress on either side of her head.  "What did you want to ask me before you insulted me?" He asked, his blue eyes staring into hers, and she smiled as she reached a hand up, her fingers running over his short hair.  She wondered briefly what it would have felt like to run her fingers through his hair when he had had his longer curls.  As promised, Rachel had shown her some of the pictures and videos she had from when the guys had been at their peak and that was the thought that had run through Aubrey's head the most.  She suddenly wanted to ask him if he would ever consider growing his hair out again, or if this was all the longer he was going to let it get. 

"Are you going to answer me, or just lay there staring at me all day?" Justin asked, bringing her back to the present.   

"Sorry." She smiled up at him.  "Since you brought them up, I was just going to ask what you usually do with Buckley and Brennan when you go out on tour."

Justin twisted his body as he looked down toward the foot of the bed.  Both boxers lifted their heads, sensing their master's stare.  "It depends on where I'm going." Justin said, rolling off of her as he lay on his side once more--head propped in his hand again.

Aubrey tugged her T-shirt down as she sat up, leaning back against the headboard.  Justin moved closer to her, laying his head in her lap.  Aubrey smiled as she began running her fingers through his hair.  "What are you going to do with them this time?" She asked looking at the dogs, both of which had quickly wiggled and barked their way into her heart.   

"I was actually going to talk to you about that." Justin told her. 

"Me?" Aubrey asked.  "What did you want to talk to me about?"

Justin sat up and looked at her.  "I was going to see if you wanted to move in here-while I was gone-to keep an eye on them." He gestured with his thumb toward the dogs. 

Aubrey stared at him in shock.  "Y-you...you want me to move in with you?" She asked.

He grinned.  "Well, you're going to be moving in here eventually." He told her as he picked up her left hand, twisting the diamond ring on her finger a bit.  "Why not sooner rather than later?" He asked.

"I..." Aubrey paused, a million thoughts running through her head.  "No." She shook her head.

"No?" Justin echoed, his brows furrowing in complete confusion.  "What do you mean, ‘no'?" He asked. 

"I don't want to stay here all by myself." She told him.  "Your house is too big."  Justin relaxed next to her as he let out a sigh of relief. 

"You're not going to be here by yourself." He replied.  "Buckley and Brennan will be here." He reminded her with a grin.

"I don't know..." Aubrey hesitated as she looked around the room.  "Why do you have a house this big anyway?" She asked him.

"Because I can." He replied with a shrug.  Aubrey looked at him, in question.  "What?" He asked.

"Nothing." She shook her head as she moved to get up- trying to convince herself the doubts that had come with his flippant attitude were ridiculous and unfounded. 

"Wait a second." Justin said, leaning across the bed to grab hold of her arm before she could walk away.  Aubrey turned to look down at where his hand lay against her then met his blue gaze.  "You're mad at me." He stated.  "Why?"

"I'm not mad at you." She replied. 

"Yes you are." Justin said as he stood up before her.  "What did I say?"

"I'm not mad." Aubrey assured him.  "I'm just..." she sighed, searching for the words to express her thoughts and feelings.  How in the world were they going to make this work?  She wondered as she looked at him.  He was used to a completely different way of life and way of living than she was comfortable with--a life that most of the time seemed excessive to her.  Was it really necessary for him to have six cars, a dozen motorcycles and live in this huge house all by himself?  She'd always pictured herself living a quiet, unassuming life in a small town somewhere but those plans went right out the window the moment her life had become entwined with that of the one and only Mr. SexyBack and she was still struggling with the change. There was more to it than that, but she couldn't pinpoint why the idea of moving in here was suddenly making her so uncomfortable and she didn't really want to analyze it at the moment. 

"Don't." Justin said, suddenly pulling her from her thoughts.  Aubrey looked at him.  "Don't." He shook his head as he stepped closer to her, his blue eyes holding hers steadily.  "Don't sabotage this." He pled quietly.

"I'm not--"

"Yes you are." He interrupted.  "I can see it in your eyes.  I love you." He stated emphatically.  "And I know you love me and that's all that matters.  This is just a house." He told her, spreading his arms out wide.  "I can sell it and we can get one that's smaller; one that you like.  Whatever you want.  Just please," he put a hand to her face, his thumb caressing her cheek.  "Please stop thinking that this isn't going to work.  That means you've still got some doubts about us." He put his other hand on her face as he leaned down, gently pressing his lips to hers. 

Aubrey sighed as Justin's lips lefts hers and he rested his forehead against hers. She kept her eyes closed as their breath mingled.  She opened her eyes to find him watching her--his clear blue eyes serious and intense. 

"It's going to work." He told her firmly.  Aubrey nodded as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him towards her--begging him to kiss her again.  It was easier to forget about her worries when he kissed her.  As their lips met again Aubrey pushed the lingering doubts from her mind.  He was right.  They loved each other and that was all that mattered.  She just needed to trust him. 

~~~~~~

"Stop!"

Rachel stopped at the harshly spoken Russian command Friday morning.  She watched as an older man wearing what she assumed was a security uniform approach her as she stood beside the fenced off section of town where JC's movie set was.  He began speaking to her in Russian, and Rachel took the security badge JC had given her a few days ago out of her pocket and showed it to him.  "I'm here to see my fiancée." She told him, though she knew he probably didn't understand her.  He looked at the badge then let her walk past the barricade that had been set up to keep the general public out of the filming area.  "Thank you." She smiled at him but he said nothing--just returned to his post manning the barricade. 

Rachel shoved her hands further down into the pockets of the heavy winter coat she was wearing and hunched her shoulders--attempting to cover her ears from the cold air.  They'd been in Moscow now for about a week and a half and she was counting down the days until they returned to Southern California.  Not only was she bored but she missed the sun and warmth of her home state.  She missed being able to wear sandals in the middle of the winter.

"Can I help you, ma'am?" She looked up as a young man--who was probably close to her same age--inquired in heavily accented English.  She grimaced slightly at being called "ma'am."

"I'm looking for JC Chasez." She told him, once more pulling the security badge from her pocket to prove she had the right and authority to be there.  "He's one of the actors--"

"Middle trailer." The young man answered pointing in front of her. 

"Thank you." Rachel smiled as she hurried towards her destination.  As she approached his trailer--the sound of the generators running the heaters around the set humming in the background--Rachel ran her fingers through her hair and knocked on the door.  When he didn't answer right away she tested the door handle.  "Jace?" She called out as she opened the door.  She shivered, once again wondering why she'd been crazy enough to think she could handle the frigid temperatures in this crazy country.

"Rachel?" He asked, his voice coming from the back of the trailer.  "Is that you?"

"Yeah." She answered as she stepped inside, shutting the small door behind her.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, sounding excited and happy to see her. 

"I was bored and I--" Rachel began as she turned around then stopped, her jaw dropping at the sight of him.

~~~~~~

"You, what?"  JC asked with a chuckle at the stunned expression on Rachel's face.  "Are you okay?" She nodded mutely.  "What's the matter with you?"

Hearing her voice and seeing her beautiful face had been a nice surprise.  They'd been working all day on the same scene over and over again, trying to get it perfect and he was tired.  He'd spent years as a kid doing this, but eight hours of filming now--at thirty-two--were a hell of a lot longer than they used to be when he was a teenager.  I'm getting old.  He thought, suddenly questioning the soundness of the decision for the group to go back out on tour.  

"I-I..." Rachel stuttered, bringing him from his thought.  She swallowed hard, her eyes raking over him as if she'd never seen him before.  He looked down at himself but he couldn't figure out what was wrong.  There really wasn't anything unusual about the tan Air Force uniform he was wearing.  He looked at her expectantly, with his eyebrows raised in question.

"I don't..." She shook her head.  "Is that what you're wearing for your part?" She asked, pointing at him.

"It's one of the outfits." He replied as he walked towards her.  "Why?" He asked as he opened the small fridge under the counter in the kitchen area and grabbed a bottle of water.  He turned to look at her.  He began opening the bottle but paused as Rachel began sauntering towards him-a definite glint in her brown eyes.  He watched her closely until she stood right in front of him. 

"I'm not sure I like the idea of you wearing this onscreen." She said as she cocked her head to the side.

"What?" He chuckled.  "Why not?"

"Because, only I should be able to see you looking this damn good." She answered as she put her hands on his chest.

A slow smile spread across his face.  "Hmmm...So, you like me in uniform, huh?"

"No." She shook her head slowly as she leaned towards him.  "I love you in uniform." She whispered in his ear.  "You," she said leaning back and running her hands down his chest and around his waist.  "Should definitely wear this more often." She looked up at him through her lashes and JC felt his heart start to pound.  She knew just how to get his blood pumping.

"If I'd known it would get this kind of rise out of you I would have had you come to the set everyday." He replied as he placed his water bottle on the counter next to them than lifted his arms.  Brushing her long hair over her shoulders and away from her face, he cupped her face.  JC leaned down and pressed his lips against Rachel's softly, careful to hold back and not let it go too far--they were in his trailer, after all and he was waiting for his call back to shooting.  Somebody could walk in on them at any moment, but foreplay was definitely something that was under-utilized in their relationship.  What was the harm of warming her up a bit for when they could really do something later on?. 

He pulled back after a brief moment, chuckling to himself when she followed him then opened her eyes and looked at him in disappointment.  He took a few steps-walking her backwards--until she was pressed back against the small closet door opposite of where they were standing.  Putting his hands on the wall to either side of her head he looked at her for a moment before leaning over and pressing his lips to the corner of her jaw. 

~~~~~~

Rachel whimpered as JC pressed his weight more fully against her and couldn't help it when her head dropped back against the door behind her.  Who'd have known she'd have such a strong reaction to seeing her fiancé dressed up in uniform?  But, hot damn, was he sexy!  She'd walked into the trailer completely unprepared for the pure and unadulterated lust that had shot through her at seeing him in costume.  She had wanted nothing more than to rip the uniform off of him and have her way with him, but she had to admit--as his lips roamed down her neck--she didn't mind that he seemed intent on taking his time in seducing her.  She knew there was a chance that they could be interrupted but there was something exciting about the thought of doing this with him here.   

JC pulled back slightly, his chest rising and falling deeply and Rachel felt an evil smile spread across her face as she put her hands on his chest and pushed him away from her.  JC's brows furrowed in confusion and disappointment but she took his hand and led him towards the small couch against the back wall that she'd seen out of the corner of her eye.  Pulling him in front of her, she put her hands on his chest once more and pushed him to sit down, then sat down herself--straddling his lap.  A lazy grin spread across his handsome face as his hands slowly moved up and over her jean clad thighs and hips.  Rachel put her hands on his face as she placed a series of quick kisses to his lips.  Moving her hands up his slightly roughened cheeks-the light scruff needed for his character's part tickling her palms--she ran her fingers through his hair, tousling his heavily gelled dark locks.

"Wendy's going to kill you." He breathed as he leaned forward, brushing his lips across her jaw line.

"Who's Wendy?" Rachel asked, her eyes narrowing in question as she pulled back slightly and looked at him.

"The lady who spends two hours each morning doing my hair and make-up." He replied, his hands gripping her hips as he pulled her more fully against him.

"I'll fix it." She promised as she wrapped one hand around the back of his neck and drew him forward to kiss him again-surrendering willingly as he took charge of the kiss.  She moaned as he deepened the exchange, their tongues dancing together slowly and seductively.  She loved the way he tasted!  There was nothing she could compare the taste of his kiss to.  All she knew was that she couldn't live without it. 

Rachel was suddenly burning up and pulled away from JC in order to remove the coat she was wearing.  JC groaned as she came back to him.  Her lips quickly finding his again and she couldn't hold back the moan that escaped as his hands slipped beneath her shirt.  She pulled away from him.  Her lungs were screaming for oxygen, but he seemed perfectly content to keep going.  Rachel gripped his shoulders, her head falling back as JC's lips burned a slow trail down her neck and throat-his fingers running over her back and slowly traveling upwards. 

A knock came at the trailer's door suddenly and Rachel jumped in JC's arms.  A voice called out; informing JC he was needed on set and Rachel groaned as he pulled away from her.  A slow smile spread across his face as he brought the fingers of one hand beneath her chin, his thumb caressing her bottom lip before he kissed her softly again. 

"How late are you going to be tonight?" Rachel asked breathlessly.

"I shouldn't be too late." He answered.

"Good." She replied as she put her hands to his face and kissed him firmly then removed herself from his lap and stood up.  JC reached out and swatted her rear as he stood as well and Rachel turned to look at him sharply. 

"I'll call you when I'm leaving." He told her.  "Be ready." He said as he tucked in his shirt and smoothed his hands over his hair. 

"Is that an invitation?" She asked with a grin.

"It's a promise." He replied with a wink and Rachel smiled, her stomach quivering in anticipation.  JC put one arm around her waist and drew her towards him again-his lips pressing against her own warmly--and Rachel sighed in contentment. 

~~~~~~

"What do you mean he's acting weird?" Rachel asked Megan over the phone that evening.  Though it was already five o'clock in Russia, with the time difference and the dateline between them, it was only eight am in Phoenix. 

Rachel bent down to examine the jewelry in the display case in front of her.  She glanced around the store for a salesperson.  When one caught her eye and came over, she pointed at the ring she wanted to look at.

"He's just...weird." Megan sighed. 

"Details, Megs." Rachel chuckled as the saleswoman handed her the silver, flower shaped ring.  Each petal was set in a different color of amber and Rachel smiled.  Megan would love it!  Nodding she handed the ring to the woman who put it in a box for her.  She gestured that she was going to look around a little more and would come back to pay for the ring.

"He comes home late every night and he's usually gone by the time I get up in the morning." Megan replied. 

"Okay..." Rachel shrugged.  "So, he's working a lot.  That's really not that weird."

"No, but it's more than that." Megan continued.  "He's been making a lot of weird phone calls lately and whenever I come into the room he'll hang up quickly or walk outside to keep talking.  He's being so secretive about things.  Whenever I ask him who he's talking to he makes up some answer that I know is a lie or he'll just change the subject." 

"Maybe he's planning a surprise party for your birthday next month." Rachel supplied as she continued to walk through the gift shop browsing. 

"Is he planning a surprise party for my birthday?" Megan asked inquisitively.

"I don't know." Rachel answered honestly.  "If he is he hasn't talked to me about anything."  Megan sighed heavily on the phone.  "What else." Rachel prodded.  "There's got to be more going on to make you this suspicious of him."

"I don't know, I just...what if he's..." Megan trailed off.  "What if he's cheating on me?" She asked quietly.

"There's no way." Rachel replied firmly with a shake of her head, unwilling for even a second to consider the idea. 

"How do you know?" Megan asked.

"I just know." Rachel stated.  "There's no way that he--"

"We haven't had sex in almost a month." Megan confided.

"What?!" Rachel exclaimed.  The other shoppers looked at her in surprise at her out burst.  She quickly ducked behind a row of shelves and lowered her voice.  "Are you serious?" She asked.  "How is that even possible?"

"Not all of us are engaged to sex addicted pop stars, Rachel." Megan replied bitterly.

Rachel laughed.  "He is not an addict." She insisted with a roll of her eyes.

"Uh-huh." Megan replied, sounding unconvinced. "Right."

"Have you talked to him?" Rachel asked, turning the subject back to Jackson, instead of JC.

"No." Megan answered.

"Why not?"

"Because, as I previously mentioned, he's never home!" Megan exclaimed in frustration.  "And when he is, he's always on the phone with someone."

"You need to talk to him." Rachel insisted as she spotted an old antique wooden chest shoved back in one corner of the store.  She walked towards it, her designer's eye already thinking about how and where she could use it.  The old wood was intricately carved and Rachel knew she had to have it.  She didn't know where she was going to put it or what she was going to do with it, but she knew she'd regret it if she didn't get it.  I wonder if they can ship to the States. She wondered as she looked at the price tag and grimaced.  And if I can talk them into lowering the price!

"And what am I supposed to say?" Megan asked, interrupting Rachel's train of thought.  "Are you having an affair?" 

Rachel scolded herself for becoming so distracted while talking to Megan.  She stood and put her hand on her hip, focusing on the conversation she was having with her best friend.  "No." She answered.  "But you need to talk to him.  I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for everything going on but you'll never know and you'll worry yourself sick over assumptions and speculations unless you talk to him.  Or better yet!" Rachel said, suddenly remembering her earlier encounter with JC.  "Go surprise him at work!" She smiled, proud of herself for coming up with the idea.

"I'm going into the office today." Megan replied. "I can't just go surprise him."

"So, go surprise him with lunch." Rachel told her.  Megan was quiet for a moment.  "What are you thinking?" Rachel asked.

"You don't want to know." Megan replied.

"Yes I do." Rachel insisted.

Megan sighed.  "I'm thinking that this is all reminding me about when my Dad left." She admitted softly. 

Rachel was silent.  She didn't know how to respond to that statement.  Megan's Dad had left her family when she was ten because of an affair he was having.  Rachel had always admired Megan's strength and determination in overcoming what that had done to her emotionally and psychologically but she was suddenly very worried about her best friend. "Megs..." she trailed off. 

"I'm sure you're right, though." Megan interrupted.  "I'm just blowing everything out of proportion.  It's probably nothing, right?"

"Right." Rachel replied, trying to sound confident and reassuring. 

"Right." Megan echoed sullenly. 

"So..." Rachel prodded.  "What are you going to do?"

Megan took a deep breath.  "I'm going to go talk to him over lunch." She replied.

"Good." Rachel smiled.  "I think that's a good idea."

"Of course you do." Megan chuckled wryly.  "You thought of it."

"That's right!" Rachel laughed.  "And my ideas are always good."

"Always?" Megan questioned.  "I seem to remember a certain high school Halloween dance and your ‘good' idea to dye your hair bright red.  Remember how that idea turned out?" Megan laughed.

"So I picked up the green hair dye box by mistake." Rachel shrugged.  "Big deal."

"Your hair was green for a month!" Megan exclaimed.  "Remember?"

"So what?" Rachel asked with a laugh.  That was ten years ago."  The girls both laughed at the shared memory.  "ListenI have to go." Rachel finally said.  "I found this awesome antique chest that I want to buy at this store I'm at and they're about to close."

"Yeah, I've got to feed Scott and finish getting ready for work." Megan replied. 

"Call me later and tell me how lunch went, okay?" Rachel asked.

"Okay." Megan said again. 

"It'll be okay, Megs." Rachel told her.  "I know it."

"Thanks." Megan said.  "I'll call you later."

"Okay." Rachel said then ended the phone call.  She pursed her lips in thought as she looked at the small phone in her hands.  She had half a mind to call Jackson up and give him a sound talking too about the emotional stress he was putting her best friend through but resolved to just stay out of it.  For now.   For better or worse Megan and Jackson were married and they needed to work out their problems together.  She'd done what she could a few years ago to get them to stay together...now it was up to them to pull together and make it through this rough patch. 

Putting her phone in her purse Rachel walked up to the counter.  Through the limited knowledge of English that the saleswoman had and a lot of hand gestures, Rachel told the woman she wanted to buy the chest along with the ring she had picked out earlier.  She had her own problems to worry about right now.  She pulled out her credit card and handed it over to the woman.  Like explaining to JC why I just bought a $2000 wooden box!  She blew out a breath as she signed the receipt and asked the woman if they offered shipping services.  She smiled when the lady nodded.  What he doesn't know won't hurt him. She reasoned and began filling out the necessary shipping documents. 

~~~~~~

"Aren't you afraid of your wife finding out?" A woman's quiet voice came through the slightly opened office door.

"No." The man inside answered firmly. "She has no idea what's going on."

"What are you going to do if she finds out about all of this?" The woman asked.

"Nothing." He answered firmly.  "Because she's not going to find out until I'm ready to tell her."

~~~~~~

Megan stared blankly ahead of herself as she leaned back against the wall beside the partially opened door to Jackson's office.  The whispered conversation she'd just overheard between her husband and an a woman who's voice she didn't recognize, echoed through her head and she found herself praying she was in the middle of some horrible dream. 

Wake up!  She told herself, but it did no good. She put a hand to her chest as she suddenly found it hard to breathe.  As she stood there, concentrating on breathing evenly, she was suddenly reminded of a conversation she had inadvertently overheard between Jackson and his mother years ago.   When they had been first been dating, Jackson had taken her to his family's condo in Aspen, Colorado for the weekend to teach her to ski.  Unbeknownst to them, his parents and two younger siblings had also gone up there for the weekend and through a rather embarrassing moment where they had been caught making out, Megan had been quickly introduced to his family.  That night she had overheard Jackson and his mother talking.

"Does she know everything, Jackson?" Megan heard Karen ask as she approached the kitchen.

"No." Came Jackson's quiet response.

"You need to tell her, sweetheart."

"I know." He answered with a hefty sigh.

Megan peeked around the corner and saw Jackson lean back against the counter as he put his hands into his hair.  "I know." He looked up at his mother.  "I just don't know how to tell her.  I should have told her at the beginning, but now..."

Karen came to stand in front of him and put her hands on his shoulders.  Megan quickly ducked back around the corner and leaned back against the wall, her ears still tuned to the conversation taking place between mother and son.  "That girl loves you.  And it's obvious you're pretty taken with her yourself.  You need to tell her." Karen stated again.

Tell me what? Megan thought thoroughly confused.  What does he need to tell me?

"I'm afraid." Jackson said.  "I-I..." He cleared his throat then continued.  "I never thought I would have to explain this to her.  I don't know what she'll do when she finds out."

A door opening further down the hall snapped her out of her thoughts and she straightened and looked at his office door--her heart and head battling whether she should march in there and confront him.  She took a step forward, then stopped--fear and uncertainty stopping her.  Did she really want to come face to face with her husband's mistress?  Wouldn't it be easier if she didn't have a face to but with the voice?  Besides, she didn't know what to she would say or do once she was in there and the secret was out, so she left--silently cursing Rachel and her ‘good idea' to come surprise her Jackson at work for lunch.  

Megan slid into her car and sat, staring out the windshield--too stunned and in shock to feel any sort of emotion.  She leaned forward--resting her forehead against the steering wheel as another painful memory assaulted her.

"You're...MARRIED?!?" Megan exclaimed as she looked at him in shock.  Out of all the scenarios she'd thought up when she'd heard Jackson and his mother talking a few weeks ago, Jackson being married was not what she had been prepared to hear. 

"It's not what you think." He said as he placed a hand on her face.

Megan pushed his hand away and stepped out of his arms.  She turned and looked at him unable to speak; unable to react.  In her mind she knew how she should react to this revelation.  She should be yelling, calling him names and throwing him but she just stood there-stunned into silence. 

"Megan?" Jackson took a step towards her.

"Why?" She asked quietly as a single, silent tear slipped down her cheek. "Why didn't you tell me?" She asked.

"I wanted to." He said.  "So many times.  But it...it never came up."

Megan bit her bottom lip to keep it from trembling as she nodded slowly then walked towards the door, pulling it open.  "You need to leave." She said, the calmness in her voice belying the emotions raging through her.

"Megan." He walked towards her.  "Listen to me.  There's more to this than--" 

"No." She shook her head and stood her ground, despite the tears falling from her eyes.  "Leave.  Now."

He stepped through the door but turned to look back at her.  "I love y--" 

Megan shut the door in his face before he could finish his statement.  She slid down the door, drew her knees up to her chest and sat, staring straight ahead as her body slowly went numb.

Although Jackson had been right-it wasn't what she thought-it had still hurt and the revelation that the man she was in love with was married to someone else had driven a wedge between them for a while.  When Rachel had finally tricked her into seeing Jackson again a month later and he finally got the chance to explain that his wife had disappeared six months after their marriage, that he had reported her as a missing person, and that he had to wait the necessary timeframe to have her declared officially dead, Megan realized it wasn't as bad as she had assumed. 

"It's nothing." She said aloud as she gripped the steering wheel tightly.  "It's nothing.  I'm just overreacting."  He could have been talking about anything!  She reminded herself.  Except for that nagging voice in the back of her mind she could almost believe it. 

Almost. 

She felt her shoulders slump as she started her car and left the parking lot, her heart unwilling to accept what her mind was telling her.  Too many little things were beginning to add up and she didn't like the solution she was coming up with. 

~~~~~~

Megan let out a tired sigh as she opened the front door and stepped into the house that evening.  Closing the door behind her, she kicked off her shoes and ran her fingers through her hair.  After overhearing the incriminating conversation at Jackson's office, her day had quickly gone from bad to worse with nothing going right.  Not only was she dealing with suspicions of her husband cheating on her and all of the emotions that went along with that, but the publisher and author she was currently working on hadn't liked any of her ideas for the cover of their book and she was now forced to redo the entire thing in less than two weeks!  She didn't know how she was going to do it.  It had taken her nearly a month to get the original design to where she was happy with it, and now they wanted something completely different in half the time in order to be ready to print on time.  She was going to have to work quickly and she hated doing that.  She put her heart and soul into every cover she designed and having to do sub-par work went against who she was and the reputation she had built for herself.

She was pulled from her thoughts as she heard someone rattling dishes around in the kitchen.  Her brows furrowed in confusion.  "Mom?" She called out as she walked towards the noise. 

Since having Scott last year, Megan had been able to stay on at the publishing company she worked for part-time.  Her job as a graphic designer really only required a computer and the necessary designing software so she was able to do most of the work from home, but she still went into the office a couple days a month to meet with her clients.  Her mom had volunteered to watch Scott on those days and would drop him off after Megan got home.  Apparently her mother had decided to come by a little early today and was now doing something in the kitchen. 

"How was--" Megan stopped as she walked into the room.  "Jackson?" She asked, surprised to see her husband standing at the stove.

"Hi." He said a hesitant smile on his face as he turned to look at her.  Brushing his hands on the dishtowel tucked into the front of his pant that was serving as a makeshift apron.

"What..." Megan looked at him, speechless.  "What are you doing?" She finally asked as she set her purse down on the counter and looked at him in question.

"I'm cooking." He answered simply.  "I hope you're hungry." He smiled.   

"I-I don't..." Megan paused.  "What are you doing home so early?" She asked as she looked at her watch, her mind starting to spin with all of the reasons why he would be home so early.  And cooking dinner!

He shrugged.  "Do I need a reason to be home?" He asked.

"No." She replied with a shake of her head.  "I just...I'm...I'm surprised.  That's all." She told him.

"That was my plan." He stated with a smile.  She watched him with wide eyes for a moment, her heart beating painfully in her chest.  She turned slightly, her eyes landing on a vase of pink roses--her favorite flower--sitting on the kitchen table.  "She's not going to find out until I'm ready to tell her."

A snippet from his conversation she had heard earlier suddenly popped into her mind and her knees almost buckled.  She gripped the countertop tightly--her knuckles turning white--as the meaning behind those flowers and his bizarre behavior suddenly made itself clear.  He's ready to tell me.  She thought in distress as she continued to stare at the flowers.  He's ready to tell me he's leaving.  She didn't even know she was crying until he said something.

"Megan?" Jackson asked looking at her in question, his brows furrowed in concern.  "Are...are you okay?" He asked hesitantly.

"I'm fine." Megan insisted as she straightened and brushed away her tears.  "I just..." She turned to look at him again, her heart constricting painfully in her chest at the thought of losing him to someone else.  "It's been a long day." She finally said, her bottom lip trembling.  Jackson took a step towards her but Megan turned.  "I'm going to go change." She said, and quickly left the room before he could stop her. 

Once in the bedroom she sat down on the bed a single sob escaping before she could keep it in.  As if it were all the permission she needed, that sob opened up the floodgates.  Falling over on her side Megan grabbed her pillow and hugged it tightly to her chest.  Curling up tightly, her heart broke with every tear that fell. 

What had she done to make him stop loving her?  What had she done to push him into the arms of another woman?  When had she stopped being good enough for him?  Did the years they'd been together mean nothing to him?  And what about Scott?  What was going to happen now?  Was she destined to live her life the way her mother had?  Raising her child alone?

"Megan?"  Jackson questioned as he knocked on the door, interrupting her thoughts.  "Dinner's..." he trailed off as he stepped into the room.  She opened her eyes as she looked up at him.  "Why are you crying?" He asked his dark brows furrowed as he looked at her in concern.  "What's going on?"

"What did I do wrong?" She asked through her tears as she sat up and looked at him.  "I don't understand." She said, swinging her legs over the side of the bed.

"W-wha..." Jackson looked at her in bewilderment.  "I, uh...what do you mean?" He finally asked.

"If you'll tell me, I'll fix it."  She continued.  "I know I've been kind of moody lately and the house hasn't been as clean as it used to be, but I'm trying." She told him.  "It's just harder than I thought it was going to be working and having Scott.  I just...I can't keep up with everything and I'm sorry."  She put her face in her hands.

"Megan." Jackson said, stepping towards her.  "Sweetheart, look at me."  Kneeling down in front of her, he took her hands in his and pulled them away from her face.  "What is going on?" He asked his blue eyes full of questions as he set her hands in her lap and placed his hands on her face--his thumbs brushing away her tears.

"I can do better." She told him, suddenly desperate to keep him from walking away.  She would do anything as long as he promised to stay.  She could change.  She could do whatever he wanted her to do.  "I can." She nodded.  "Just give me a chance..." She trailed off as her emotions took over once again.  She bent her head and closed her eyes, but Jackson lifted her chin with one hand.

"Look at me." He pled quietly.  Megan slowly opened her eyes.  "Please stop crying." He begged.  "I hate it when you cry.  The house is fine!" He insisted and Megan sniffed as she tried to control her tears.  "And as for you being moody, I haven't noticed anything.  Maybe that's because I haven't been home as much lately as I should have been, and for that I'm sorry, but Megan..." He trailed off as he looked at her.  "You're kind of scaring me here.  I don't know what's going on.  Where is this all coming from?"

"I thought..." She hesitated.  "You're never home." She told him.  "You don't call me.  You hardly touch me anymore.  I thought...I thought..." She trailed off, unable to actually say the words.  Jackson let out a heavy sigh and hung his head.  He dropped his hands from her face as he set them on the bed on either side of her.  Megan watched him, her bottom lip trembling.

"I'm sorry." He said quietly.  He slowly raised his head--his blue eyes meeting hers.  "If I've given you the idea that I..." He shook his head as he gently lifted one hand to her face--his thumb caressing her cheek.  "I am so sorry." He told her.  "I love you."

~~~~~~ 

Megan let out another sob as she threw her arms around him-her face pressed against his neck.  Jackson knelt up, wrapping his arms around her waist as he held her tightly.  Megan continued to cry on his shoulder as he tried to calm her down.  He'd never seen her this worked up before and like he'd told her--he was a little scared.  What in the world was going on?  If he'd known cooking dinner for her tonight was going to set off this reaction he never would have done it.  But there was more than just dinner causing her to cry like this.  Running his hand over her hair Jackson bent his head, his lips brushing against her temple. 

"I'm sorry." He whispered.  "I'm sorry."  Finally, her tears began to quiet but she continued to cling to him almost desperately.  "I just wanted to surprise you." He told her.  "I didn't know..."

Megan pulled back, looking at him--her blue-green eyes cautious.  Jackson put his hands to her face--brushing her hair back.  Her eyes were red and her cheeks were tear stained, but she was still beautiful to him.  How he'd been able to survive without touching and being close to her this past month, he suddenly didn't know and he was kicking himself for being such an idiot. 

"I know I haven't been around a lot lately, and I'm sorry." He said as his thumbs caressed her cheeks, brushing away the remaining moisture on her skin.  "I called your mom this afternoon and asked her if she could watch Scott tonight because I wanted to surprise you.  I didn't mean to make you cry."

Megan remained quiet so he continued.  "I've got something to tell you." He told her.  "But I was waiting for the right time."  Megan's eyes followed him as he stood.  "I'll be right back." He said then turned and left the room. 

~~~~~~

Megan sniffed and lifted her hands to wipe her face as Jackson disappeared down the hall.  She had been able to release a lot of her stress and anxiety through her tears--and the feeling of Jackson's arms around her had been what she'd been needing for a long time now--but she was anxious about what his "surprise" was.  He could still be planning to deal her out some bad news.  What exactly had he been "waiting for the right time" to tell her?  She stood and walked into the bathroom, knowing that she probably looked a sight. 

Flipping on the light she grimaced as she saw her reflection in the mirror.  Red eyes, tear stained cheeks and a stuffed nose--not exactly the most flattering.  She turned on the faucet and splashed some cold water on her face.

"Megan?" She heard Jackson call.  "Where'd you go?"

"I'm here." She said, walking back into the bedroom.  She gathered her hair in her hands and pulled it back behind her shoulders as he held a handful of documents out to her.  She hesitated a second, then took the papers from him.  "What's this?" She asked, looking at him.

"Look at it." He told her. 

Megan looked at him for a moment longer than dropped her gaze to the papers in her hands.  Her brows furrowed as she glanced through everything then her eyes flew back up to his when she realized what she was holding.

"Surprise." He told her with a hesitant smile. 

"Hawaii?" She asked, dumbfounded.  "We're...we're going to Hawaii?" She looked back at the plane tickets and hotel reservations he had printed out.  "Why?"

"Because we need some time alone." He told her.  "Away from everything.  And because you're birthday is coming up and I wanted to take you somewhere you've always wanted to go."

Megan felt tears forming again.  "What about Scott?" She asked her voice shaky as she tried to contain her emotions.  Anymore surprises today and she would probably pass out.  She didn't know how much more she could handle.

"Your mom is going to watch him while we're gone." He told her.

"For ten days?" She asked, finally looking back up at him.  Jackson nodded. 

"It was actually her idea." He told her.  "I mentioned to her at Christmas that I wanted to surprise you with something special for your birthday and she suggested that I take you somewhere and volunteered to watch Scott so we could go alone."

"What about work?" She asked.

"That's why I've been gone so much lately." He told her as he took a step towards her.  "I've been putting in some overtime so I could take the time off."

Megan was starting to feel ridiculous for jumping to all the crazy conclusions she'd been jumping to, but there were still a few questions nagging her.

"I know I haven't been the best husband and father lately." He told her as if he could read her mind and knew what she wanted to ask.  "I've let work get in the way of what I should be doing and I've been taking a lot of things for granted--you especially."  He took another step towards her, the space between them all but gone.  Megan looked up, searching his dark blue eyes.  Jackson reached out and put a hand to her face.  "Will you go to Hawaii with me?" He asked his expression hopeful. 

She nodded and he let out a sigh of relief.  He tilted her head slightly as he pressed his lips to hers.  The papers in her hands dropped to the floor and Megan wrapped her arms around her husband's neck.  What started as a simple kiss soon turned into a heated and driven exchange as they were both suddenly reminded of just how long it had been since they'd last shared anything more than a simple kiss.  Jackson gathered her up in his arms and turned-carrying her to the bed--and Megan pushed the lingering doubts from her mind. 

He still loved her.  He wasn't leaving.  

Chapter 4 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
here's the next chapter  :)
"Justin, I can't keep taking off time from work to go places with you." Aubrey stated as she sank down onto the couch in Grams' living room a few days later.  She'd just gotten home from work and was about to start working on some homework when Justin called.  "I'm on thin ice as it is with all the time I've taken the last six months," she continued.  "And with going to Tennessee with you in a few weeks.  I just...I can't."

Justin was quiet but his disappointed sigh came through the phone loud and clear. 

Aubrey closed her eyes as she laid her head back on the cushion.  He didn't know it, but she was taking the week off to go to Tennessee with him with no pay because she'd used up all her saved up vacation and sick time with all the places she'd gone with him since they'd started dating.  "Are you mad?" She asked him.

"No." He told her.  "Just...disappointed.  I really wanted you to come with me to New York this week.

"I know." She nodded, though he couldn't see her.  "But do you want me to come to New York with you, or do you want me to go home with you next month?"

"I want you to do both." He answered honestly.  "But if I can only have one, then I want you to come home with me." Aubrey's lips turned up in a small smile.  "When we're married, though," he continued.  "You're coming with me wherever I go, understand?"  

"I am?" She asked as she kicked her shoes off and curled up on the sofa. 

"Yes." He answered firmly.

"And how exactly is that going to work?" She asked.  "My situation isn't going to be any different when we're married." She told him, her heart fluttering at the thought of actually being married to him. "I'm still going to be working and going to school."  She reminded him as she held her left hand up and looked at the ring he had placed on her finger last month.  She still couldn't believe she was engaged! Last year when Andrew had shown up in her life again and her mother had been pressuring her to make it work with him, marriage had been the furthest thing from her mind.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she continued staring at the diamond ring.  Now, however...

"We'll figure something out." He insisted, pulling her from her thoughts.  "I can't stand being away from you." He told her.

"You seemed to manage alright for the first twenty-eight years of your life without me." She teased.

"It was a lonely road full of darkness and misery." He replied solemnly. 

Aubrey rolled her eyes.  "Oh, brother!" She exclaimed with a laugh.  "You are so full of it!"  Justin laughed.  "I don't believe anything in your life has ever been miserable or dark."

"How do you know?" He asked with a chuckle.

"I just do." She replied.  "So tell me about Tennessee." She said, changing the subject.  "What exactly are we going to be doing while we're there?"

"Are you going to tell me what you're getting me for my birthday?" Justin asked.

"No." Aubrey laughed. He was worse then Brennan or Buckley when they had a bone.  He just wouldn't let this go! 

"Then I'm not going to tell you what the plan is for when we're back home." He replied.

"Brat." Aubrey murmured as she rolled her eyes again.  Justin chuckled.  "Why do you want to know what I'm getting you so badly?" She asked.

"I just want to know." He told her.

"And you will." She told him.  "On your birthday.  That's how it works.  This is good for you." She observed.

"How is this good for me?" Justin asked.

"It's teaching you that you don't always get everything you want." Aubrey replied.

"Yes I do." He answered confidently.  Aubrey raised one eyebrow.  "Eventually, I always get what I want.  Take you, for example." He continued. 

"You didn't always want me." Aubrey stated.

"Maybe not the very first day I met you," He conceded.  "But it wasn't very long after that."

"When was it?" Aubrey asked, suddenly curious. 

"What?" Justin questioned. 

"When was it?" She repeated.  "When did you first want me?"

"Cabo." He told her without hesitation and a shiver skirted down her spine, remembering that fateful weekend.  "That's when I knew I was falling in love with you." He told her. 

Aubrey suddenly wished they were having this conversation face to face.  She wanted to be able to lay her head on his chest and feel his arms around her.  She loved just being close to him--hearing his heart beat, smelling the familiar and comforting scent of him, feeling the security that came with knowing he loved her. 

"Of course, then you made me wait another four months before I was actually able to have you..." he trailed off and Aubrey chuckled.  "But, like I said-eventually I always get what I want."

"Not this time." Aubrey shook her head.  "You're not going to find out what I'm giving you until I'm ready to give it to you.  On your birthday."  She reiterated.

Justin let out a growl of frustration.  "Patience is not one of my virtues, Aubrey Janae."

Aubrey chuckled.  "That's why this is good for you."

"Please?" Justin begged.  "I'm leaving in the morning and I'm not going to see you for almost a week!"

"No!" Aubrey laughed.

"What if I ask you some questions?" Justin asked.  "If I guess, will you tell me?"

Aubrey thought about it for a second.  "Maybe." She answered.  She was pretty sure he wouldn't be able to guess what it was, but there was always a chance...

"Is it something I can wear?" He asked.

"No." Aubrey shook her head.

"Is it something I can eat?"

Aubrey paused.  "No." She finally told him.

"Hmmm..." Justin hummed on the other end of the line and Aubrey giggled. 

"You're never going to guess it." She told him.  "You might as well just give up and work on being patient."

"Are you taking me somewhere?" He asked, continuing as if he hadn't heard her.

"Nope." Again Aubrey shook her head, though he couldn't see her.

"Okay, I can't eat it or wear it and it's not somewhere you're taking me..." Justin trailed off.  "Is it something I can drive?"

"You think I can afford to get you a car?" Aubrey exclaimed with a laugh.  "I don't think so, and even if I could you don't need another car."

"Birthday's aren't about needs, Aubrey." Justin informed her.

"They're not?" She asked.

"No." He replied.  "They're purely about wants." Aubrey's stomach quivered at the provocative comment and Justin's seductive tone of voice as he said it.  "Am I going to want what you're giving me?" He asked, his voice low in her ear.  She shivered.

"Yes." She replied.  "You want it." There was a heavy pause between them and again Aubrey wished he were sitting next to her as she had a very strong and sudden need to kiss him.

"I'm going to figure this out." Justin warned.

"You can try." Aubrey told him.  "But right now, I need to go."

"Why?" He asked.

"Because." She laughed.  "I have some homework I need to work on."

"Okay." He sighed heavily and Aubrey smiled, picturing the pout that was on his handsome face.  "My flight leaves at like six am, or some ungodly hour like that." He told her.  "I don't want to wake you up so I'll call you tomorrow when I get to New York."

"You can wake me up." She smiled.  "I don't mind."

"Okay." He replied. 

Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, suddenly hesitant to let him go.  Although she had more than enough to keep her busy in the time he was going to be gone, she still hated the fact that there was going to be an entire country separating them for almost a week.  Better get used to it.  She told herself.  When he starts touring this is going to be your life

"I love you."  She told him, wanting to make sure he knew before he left.

"I love you." Justin replied. "I'll call you in the morning." 

~~~~~~

"I can't believe I'm doing this." Aubrey mumbled under her breath as Rachel stopped her car outside of the small strip mall the Saturday before Justin's birthday.  She glanced around a bit nervously.  She knew Rachel wouldn't tell Justin what they were doing, but if there were any rouge paparazzi in the area, what she was about to do would be all over the entertainment world by tonight and the cat would be out of the bag. 

"Me neither." Rachel chuckled beside her.  "Are you sure about this?"

Aubrey took a deep breath, seeking to calm her nerves.  "Yes." She said with a firm nod. She'd thought long and hard about what she was going to get Justin for his birthday and although she'd had several good ideas, this was the one that kept coming back to her.  He had been right, the other day, when he'd accused her of still harboring some doubt about their relationship but she'd made up her mind that day. She wasn't going to allow her doubts to control her.  She had made a commitment to him and she was going to stick with it, and this was the best way she could think of to let him know that she was one hundred percent committed to him.

"Does Justin know about this?" Rachel asked as they walked towards the front counter. 

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "It's a surprise.  He has no idea I'm doing this."  Rachel lifted a curious brow as she made a noise of interest as the girls finally got out of the car.  "Promise me you won't tell him?  It's for his birthday."

"I promise." Rachel smiled.  Aubrey followed her in to the small shop, the sound of a doorbell ringing coming from the back of the store.  

"Hello.  How can I help you ladies today?" The guy who stood behind the counter asked.  Aubrey almost turned and bolted from the door at his menacing appearance, but the friendly tone of his voice calmed her fears a little where his green Mohawk and multiple piercings didn't.

"Go on." Rachel nudged her and Aubrey stepped up to the counter.

"Uh..." Aubrey cleared her throat as she withdrew a small folded piece of paper from her pocket.  "Can you, uh...can you do this?" She asked, placing the paper on the counter and pointing at it.

The guy smiled.  "First time, huh?" He guessed.

"Yep." Rachel supplied from behind Aubrey.  "It's a surprise for her boyfriend." Rachel told the guy.  "Shhh." She lifted her index finger to her lips.  "Don't tell anyone."

"No problem." The guy smiled.  "I'm Seth, by the way." He said, extending his hand across the counter to Aubrey.

"Aubrey." She told him, taking his hand. 

"Is this all you want?" Seth asked.

"Yeah." Aubrey nodded.

"And where are we putting it?" He inquired.

"Uh..." Aubrey glanced over at Rachel then looked back at Seth.  "My hip." She told him.  Her face like it was on fire and she once again considered leaving.  

"Alrighty." He said, reaching underneath the counter.  He withdrew a large three-ring binder and opened it up on the counter between them.  "First, you have to read and sign these consent forms," he told Aubrey as he pulled a document from the front pocket of the binder.  He slid the form across to her and handed her a pen. 

Rachel leaned against the counter as Aubrey read through the small print.  "Do you have any design books?" Rachel asked Seth.

"Here you go." He said, handing over a different binder to Rachel.  "If you want to get one too, I can give you guys a deal."

"What kind of a deal?" Rachel asked.

Aubrey looked over at her.  "You're going to get one?" She asked in surprise.

Rachel shrugged as she flipped through the binder.  "Maybe.  Depends on what kind of deal Seth here is willing to give us." She smiled.  "It might be fun to get another one."

"Another one?" Aubrey asked, looking at her in question.  Rachel pulled her shirt down over her shoulder and turned slightly, showing Aubrey the design on her right shoulder. 

"When did you get that?" Aubrey asked.

"A long time ago." Rachel replied and Aubrey could tell she didn't really want to say anything more about it.  "That one's cute." She observed, pointing out a small butterfly design.  "So what kind of deal are we talking about here, Seth?" Rachel asked, turning the conversation back to the real purpose they were there as she continued flipping through the binder.

"Ten percent." Seth replied.

"Hmmm..." Rachel hummed.  "I'll think about it."

Aubrey finished reading through the disclosure statement and signed the release form.  "Here you go." She said, sliding the document back across the counter to Seth. 

"Okay" Seth said, filing the form in the notebook.  "Come with me."

Rachel smiled encouragingly at her and Aubrey took a deep breath as she followed Seth towards the back of the shop. 

~~~~~~

"What's all of this?"

Rachel gasped as JC came up behind her and put his hands on her shoulders. 

"Oh!  You scared me." She told him as he kissed the top of her head.

"Sorry." He chuckled.  "So..." He drawled.

Rachel blew out a frustrated breath.  "This...is my business plan." She replied.  "Any my loan application." She spread her arms wide, gesturing to all the papers spread out in front of her on the kitchen table. "I'm meeting with the loan officer next week but I..." she shook her head.  "I don't know about all of this." She leaned her elbows on the table and scrubbed her hands over her face.  "I'm still trying to figure everything out and Megan hasn't given me a definitive answer on if she's going to do this with me...And then!" She told him, leaning back in her chair and looking up at him.  "I found out I may have to get certified.  Certified!" She exclaimed.  "Who knew you had to get certified to be an event planner?"

JC chuckled as he began rubbing her shoulders.  He leaned over and kissed her cheek.  "Deep breaths, Sass." He told her.  "We have enough money." He told her as he sat down in the chair next to her.  "You don't have to go through all of this you know.  I can just have Jackson--"

"No." Rachel shook her head as she looked over at him.  "I need to do this.  I need to know I can do this." She told him.  "On my own." Their eyes met and Rachel reached a hand out, placing it against his face.  "But thank you." She said as she caressed his cheek with her thumb.  JC turned slightly, placing his lips against her palm. Rachel smiled as she then went back to studying the documents in front of her.

"You're cute when you're all serious and intense." JC remarked after a few minutes of quietly watching her. 

Rachel glanced over at him.  "I'm not serious and intense." She told him dryly.  "I'm irritated and confused."

"Why are you confused?" He asked his dark brows furrowed in genuine concern.

"Because I don't know what the hell all of this means!" She exclaimed, holding up the loan application she was trying to fill out. 

"Do you want me to take a look at it?" He asked.  "I have looked at and signed my fair share of contracts over the years." He grinned.

"This is why I love you." She smiled at him. 

"I thought you loved me because of my good looks," he lifted his chin and puffed out his chest proudly.  "And the way I was able to make you swoon at sixteen with my just the sound of my voice." He teased.

Rachel laughed.  "Well, there's that too." She shrugged and JC laughed. 

"Hand ‘em over," He said holding one hand out.  "Let's take a look at this."

Rachel handed him the application then scooted her chair closer to him as he began looking over the document.  She wrapped her arms around his left arm, leaning her cheek against his forearm as he read over the documents silently.  "See, that line?" She asked pointing at the document. 

"What line?" He asked.  "There are a lot of them." He teased.

She playfully slapped his arm.  "That one right there." She replied with a chuckle, pointing at the particular line she was referring to.  "What does that mean?"

JC looked over at her and smiled.  "It's outlining the terms of the loan for you." He told her.  He cleared his throat and began explaining all the legal terms in the document to her.  Rachel listened for a moment but soon found herself watching JC more than listening to him.  There was something intriguing and...sexy about the way he made all those confusing terms and numbers make sense.  His years in the music and entertainment business had turned him into a very valuable source to have when going over legal documents.  She smiled, her eyes roaming over his profile as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth.

JC paused in his reading and explanation and looked over at Rachel with a questioning look.  "Are you listening to me?" He asked a teasing sparkle in his blue eyes.  "I'm sitting here, taking the time to explain all of this to you and you just want to sit there and stare at me."

"I can't help it." She told him.  "It's your good looks, and the sound of your voice." She replied, struggling hard to keep a straight face. "It's making me want to swoon."

JC laughed as he set the papers he was reading down on the table then turned and placed his hands on her face as he kissed her.  "I'm trying to help you here." He told her.  "Do you want my help or not?" He asked.  "Cuz if you don't I can just leave..." He began to stand up.

"No!" Rachel exclaimed, putting her hand on his arm. "Stay." She told him.  "Help me.  Please?" She begged.  "I'll try and control my urge to swoon around you." She vowed, looking at him through her lashes.

JC narrowed his eyes at her as he sat back down.  "That's all I ask." He told her. 

Rachel laughed as she pushed him playfully.  "Oh come on!" She said.  "You love that I still swoon around you, admit it." She smiled.  "What are you going to do without me when you're out on the road?"

"There'll be other girls around willing to swoon." He told her matter of factly.

Rachel pulled back, one brow rising as she looked at him pointedly.  "Excuse me?" She asked.  "I don't think--"

She was cut off as JC put his hands on her face again and kissed her once more.  "I'm kidding." He told her with a smile, her blue eyes holding hers.  "You're the only girl I want swooning.  You know that." Rachel smiled and JC chuckled.  "Now, let's get back to all of this." He said looking at the documents spread out in front of them.  "Why don't you show me what you've got so far on your business plan."

End Notes:

I want to know what you guys are thinking.  How am I doing? 

Chapter 5 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
This one's a little longer than the last couple...
"Come on!" Justin whined as he got out of his truck.  "It's almost eight o'clock." He reminded Aubrey.

"So?" She asked, as she began walking towards the building she'd had him drive across town to.

"So..." he drawled as he set the alarm on his Escalade and followed after her.  "In four hours my birthday will be over." He stated.  "And you have yet to give me my present."  His eyes roamed over the back of her. 

Damn, she's hot!  He thought as he watched her hips move and her hair bounce slightly as she walked in front of him.  Her dark jeans, black shirt and heels were simple but the silver necklace she wore--along with delicate hoops in her ears--made the outfit classy and he smiled.  That was Aubrey: simple but classy, and he loved it!  The diamond on her left hand suddenly sparkled--catching the light from the building--and an excited thrill went through him.  He couldn't imagine a better feeling then the one that came with knowing that it was his ring she was wearing--a public symbol to the entire world that she was his.  He'd been gone for a week, due to his responsibilities with his record label, and he was looking forward to spending tonight with her. 

~~~~~~

"Relax." Aubrey chuckled as she shook her head at Justin's whining.  He was worse than a kid sometimes!  His eyes met hers as she looked over her shoulder at him.  "I just have to pick up this one thing for Rachel," she told him as they approached the back door to the club.  "Then we can go home and I will give you your present."  Her heart fluttered nervously as the muffled sound of loud music playing inside coming through the metal door.  She wondered if he'd figured out where they were yet.  She'd kept him talking as they driven over here, hoping to distract him, and had brought him to the club from the opposite direction--winding through different streets--and had him park in the back, but Justin was smart and she was afraid he was going to figure out what was going on and ruin the surprise.

Justin reached out reflexively as they arrived at the back door and opened it for her.  "Thank you." Aubrey smiled at him.  "This isn't going to take long." She lied. 

"Promise?" He asked as they walked down a short, darkened hallway, the sound of the music playing in the main room growing louder.

"I promise." She told him.

~~~~~~

Justin continued following Aubrey, his brows furrowing in question as he looked around--a sense of déjà vu enveloping him.  He'd been here before.  He just couldn't quite but his fingers on where they were...

"Where are we--" he began but stopped as they rounded a corner.  He looked around in surprise as everyone in the room turned to look at them.

"Happy Birthday!"  The cheer went up.  Several people held up their glasses in salute to him and he laughed.  He knew where they were now, but the club had been completely transformed.  The lights were dimmed but there were stands of white lights strung up all over, helping to give the room a magical feeling.  Different groupings of chairs and tables were set up around the room, and servers walking through the crowd carrying trays of hors d'oeuvres, while a DJ was set up in the back corner of the room spinning the music.

"Surprise." Aubrey told him.  Justin looked down at her.  "Happy Birthday." She smiled up at him, her hazel eyes twinkling. 

"You little sneak!" He grinned as he put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close.  He pressed his lips against hers.  "What happened to picking up something that Rachel needed and then going home?" He asked as he pulled back and they walked farther into the club.  He nodded his head in greeting and shook a few hands as Aubrey slipped her hand into his--her fingers threading with his.

"We can spend a quiet night at home any night." She told him.  "It's your birthday!  It's time to celebrate." She smiled up at him. 

Justin looked at her for a moment then drew her off to the side of the room--away from the majority of the people that were there.  "Thank you." He told her.

"You're welcome." Aubrey smiled. 

"This isn't my present, is it?" He asked his blue eyes narrowing as he looked at her.

Aubrey laughed as she stood up on her toes and pressed her lips against his.  He was just getting into it when she pulled back, turned him around and pushed him back towards the center of the room.  "No." She whispered.  "Now, go have fun.  I'll come find you in a few minutes."

~~~~~ 

"This place looks great!"

Rachel looked up as Aubrey approached her.  "Hi!" She smiled as she gave Aubrey a hug.  "You like it?" She asked, looking around them at the club that she'd worked to transform for the evening's festivities.

"Yeah!" Aubrey nodded as she looked around.  "I love all the lights.  That was a great idea. "

"Thanks." Rachel replied, brushing the hair back from her face.  She put her hands on his hips as she looked around.  The place did look great.  When Aubrey had told her last month that she wanted to do something for Justin's birthday and wanted her help, Rachel's mind had immediately started racing with different ideas and plans on what they could do.  Aubrey had told her she wanted to do something classy, but fun; something that would be the perfect way to celebrate Justin's twenty-ninth birthday without going overboard.  After tossing around a few ideas, Rachel had suggested the idea of renting out a club. 

"That's a little bigger than I was planning on." Aubrey replied reluctantly as Rachel told her the idea she'd had for Justin's party.

"What were you planning on?" Rachel asked as she looked at Aubrey in question.

"I don't know." Aubrey shrugged as she thought for a moment.  "A club?" She asked.  "Really?"

"It's the perfect place!" Rachel insisted with an excited smile.  "If we were going to only be inviting a few people we could have it here." She said, in reference to the house she shared with JC.  "But we both know Justin knows everyone in L.A. which means we're going to need some place bigger.  We can hire a DJ, get a caterer, people can come and go as they please.  They can eat, mingle and dance.  It's perfect!"

"A DJ?" Aubrey replied.  "And a caterer?"  Rachel nodded.  "How much is this all going to cost?" Aubrey asked.

"Oh, don't worry about that." Rachel told her with a wave of her hand. 

"What do you mean, ‘don't worry about that'?" Aubrey exclaimed.  "Of course I'm going to worry about that.  How are we going to pay for all of this Rachel?" She continued.  "I don't make that much and you're not working right now.  I don't think--"

"I can get JC to pay for it." Rachel interrupted firmly.

Aubrey pulled back, lifting one brow in question as she looked at Rachel in silence.  "And how exactly are you going to do that?" She asked, folding her arms over her chest. 

"It's a great way to network and with the guys getting ready to head out on tour in a few months, it'll be good publicity." Rachel told her. 

"With that way of thinking we should talk to the guys' label and have them pay for all of this." Aubrey mumbled under her breath.  She sighed.  This whole party idea had begun to get a little crazy.  She no longer felt like she was in control.  Rachel had taken hold of the wheel and was steering this car to places Aubrey wasn't sure she was comfortable with.

"What?" Rachel asked.

"Nothing." Aubrey replied.  "You still haven't said how you're going to get JC to agree to pay for all of this." Aubrey replied.

"I have my ways." Rachel replied with a mischievous smile and an evil glint in her eyes.  "You just worry about how we're going to let everyone know while keeping it a surprise from Justin."

How she'd done it, Rachel wasn't sure, but somehow Aubrey had been able to steal Justin's Blackberry.  She had brought it over to Rachel's house one Saturday.  A few texts and emails later and everyone in Justin's contact list had been made aware of the party tonight.

"So are you going to tell me how you managed to convince JC to shell out for all of this?" Aubrey asked as she once more raised her glass to her lips.  Her eyes slid over to Rachel but Rachel continued watching the crowd of people in front of them.

"Nope." She replied, her lips turning up in a secret smile.  She waved at someone out on the dance floor then turned back to Aubrey.  "Excuse me." She said.  "I have to go check on the food.  The caterer was supposed to be here twenty minutes ago and the last time I checked the cake hadn't been delivered yet.  If it's still not here, somebody's going to die..."

~~~~~~ 

Aubrey rolled her eyes as she watched Rachel leave, continuing to mumble to herself.  She turned slightly, her eyes scanning the crowd.  Finding Justin, she watched him for a moment, taking in the picture he made.  The black button down shirt with its sleeves rolled up to his elbows and the black tuxedo vest he was wearing with his jeans was classic Justin.  She sighed in appreciation.  She wasn't sure how he was able to do it, but somehow, no matter what he was wearing, he always managed to look incredible.  Must have something to do with bringing sexy back. She mused with a smile.  She saw Rachel again, and watched as the other girl ran around, making sure everything was perfect and going according to the elaborate plan she had inside her head.

Aubrey grabbed a drink from one of the waiters walking through the crowd and slowly made her way across the room.  She wound herself threw the crowd, finally coming up beside Justin as he stood talking to JC.

"Hey, pretty girl." Justin smiled at her as she slipped her hand into his.

"Hi." She smiled in return.  "Did you miss me?" She teased as she took a sip from the drink in her other hand.

"Immensely." Justin replied his blue eyes sparkling.  He squeezed her hand as he brought it up to his lips.  Aubrey smiled.

"Awe!" Chris exclaimed suddenly coming up to join them.  "That was touching, J." He commented.  "Really sweet.  But you've got to quit saying things like that to Aubrey, or she's never going to leave you for me." He winked at Aubrey.

"Why would she want you when she can be with someone from her generation?" Justin asked dryly as he took a swig of the beer in his hand.

"Ooh!" JC exclaimed with a laugh. 

"Shut up!" Chris exclaimed, turning on JC with a death glare. 

"Oh, relax." JC replied with a roll of his eyes.  "You've always been the old man in the group.  It's just now it's...a little more obvious." He teased. 

Aubrey could tell Chris was about to pounce on JC when Joey came up and put his arm around Chris' shoulders. "Happy Birthday, J!" Joey grinned, holding his drink out to him. 

Justin clinked his beer bottle against Joey's glass.  "Thanks, Joe." He smiled.

"Hi, Aubrey." Joey grinned as he greeted her. 

"Hi." She replied with a smile. 

"How are you?" Joey asked.

"Not too bad." She told him. 

"Not too bad?" Joey questioned.  "Means not too good, either.  What are you doing to her, J?" He teased.

"I think the question is: what is he not doing to her." Chris interjected.  "If he's not doing it for you, Aubrey, I can--"

"I can assure you," Aubrey finally replied, cutting Chris off.  "Justin more than does it for me, Chris, but thanks for the offer." 

Justin pulled back, looking at her in surprise--a grin slowly spreading over his face as the other guys all laughed at Aubrey's rebuttal.  "And that's why I call you my Warrior Princess." Justin told her as he tugged on her hand, pulling her close as he pressed his lips against hers.  "You're amazing!"

"Alright, come on." JC commented as Justin wrapped both arms around Aubrey.  "This is a birthday party not a romantic, sap fest."

Justin pulled away from Aubrey and narrowed his eyes at JC.  "It's my birthday party which means I can do whatever the hell I want." Justin informed him with an arrogant tilt of his chin.  "And if I want to make out with my fiancée then that's what I'm going to do."

Aubrey looked up at Justin briefly, her eyes then sliding over to JC who stood with his arms folded across his chest. What was with the tension between these two suddenly?  The two friends stood staring at each other as if they were two dogs fighting for the alpha status in the pack.  Joey and Chris stood by, silently watching as well--waiting to see who was going to be the one to back down first.  

"He's right you know." Rachel commented as she walked past the group--unknowingly breaking the tension between Justin and JC. 

Aubrey didn't miss the fact that JC was the first one to look away or the smug look on Justin's face when it happened.  She narrowed her eyes as she studied her fiancée.  What in the world...

"It is his birthday."  Rachel continued as she stopped for a moment, her hands resting on her hips.  "And this is his party."  Rachel's eyes traveled around the circle of N SYNC members and Aubrey could see the questions in her friend's brown eyes at the guys' stiff stances.  When she finally looked at JC, Rachel held out her hand to him.  "I need your help with something." She said as she wiggled her fingers and smiled at him.

"What--" JC began but Rachel cut him off by reaching out and grabbing his hand. 

"Come on." She said then led him away from the group. 

Joey and Chris breathed an almost audible, simultaneous sigh of relief as the awkward tension around them dissipated.  Aubrey's mind was spinning with questions as the conversation between the band mates soon picked up again.  She wanted to talk to Justin about what had just happened and ask why he and JC seemed to be fighting for dominance.  She soon gave up trying to figure it out and pushed the questions away.  She focused on the conversation going on around her as Justin, Chris and Joey continued talking and teasing each other. 

Their circle expanded and contracted whenever a party-goer made their way over to wish Justin a happy birthday.  Lance-who finally arrived an hour late-Timbaland, Ellen, Trace, and several other celebrities that Aubrey couldn't name but recognized, stopped by and Aubrey stood by Justin's side in amazement.  So many people knew and loved him.  She'd been surprised at the length and breadth of his contact list when she'd stolen his Blackberry a few weeks ago, but the more she thought about it, the more it wasn't really that much of a surprise.  She looked up at him--her eyes running over his profile.  Justin was just one of those guys whose genuine honesty and Southern charm made it easy for people to like him and want to be around him.

And she was no different.

~~~~~~

"What do you need my help with?" JC asked as he followed after Rachel.  She led him through the maze of people crowding the club and into a back room.  Closing the door she let go of his hand and turned to look at him--her hands coming to rest on her hips.

"I need you to help me understand what's going on between you and Justin." She told him.

JC dropped his gaze from Rachel to the drink in his hands.  "I don't know what you're talking about." He mumbled, unable to meet her gaze.

"Cut the crap, Jace." Rachel replied firmly.  "What was that out there?" She asked.  "I know I wasn't there for the entire conversation but the tension between you two was thick enough to cut with a knife.  What's going on?"

"You wouldn't understand." JC replied, still stubbornly refusing to look at her. 

"Try me." Rachel replied.  JC finally looked over at her as she folded her arms across her chest. 

"I don't know if this was such a great idea." He finally admitted.

"You're not sure what was such a great idea?" Rachel questioned.

"This." He replied.  "The group getting back together.  I just..." He sighed, searching for the words to articulate the thoughts running through his head.  "I don't know if I can go through it again." Rachel cocked her head to the side, her brows furrowing as she looked at him closely--waiting for him to continue.  When he didn't she took a step towards him.  "I don't know if I can stand back in Justin's shadow again." He finally admitted.

"I thought we cleared all of this up a while ago." She told him.  JC looked down as she placed her hand on his arm.  "Why are you still holding on to this?" Rachel asked.  "Let it go, Jace.  It's not healthy to hang onto all this resentment towards him.  You guys are going to be out on the road together for the next couple months.  You need to get this out of your system."

"I know." JC replied, turning his head to look away from her.  "I know." He sighed.

"Look at me." Rachel said placing a hand on his cheek and turning his face back to hers.  "You're not standing in anyone's shadow.  You just had your own very successful solo album and tour last year.  You have a movie coming out the end of this year.  You just released a new N SYNC CD.  You're getting ready to go back out on tour with the guys and..." She paused for effect.  "You're engaged to me." She smiled and he chuckled softly.  "I don't see any shadows." She told him.  "Let it go." She whispered.  "Please." She said as she lifted her hand, her fingers brushing through his hair.  "Just let it go."

JC turned slightly and placed his drink down on a chair that just happened to be conveniently set up against the wall beside them.  Turning back to Rachel he wrapped his arms around her waist.  Closing his eyes he leaned his forehead against hers.  She was right.  He needed to let this go. He hadn't expected to get so defensive when Justin had responded like he did to his comment earlier.  It was like he'd been thrown back in time ten years and all the pent up feelings and emotions he'd hidden back then came back.  Justin was just naturally gifted and talented and it was frustrating to see him get what JC had always wanted with almost no effort at all.  But, Rachel was right.  He'd had his own career separate from Justin for the last little while and he was engaged to a woman who was beautiful, and sexy; who could see through the masks he wore and didn't put up with any of his crap.  What else did he need?

"What would I do without you, Sass?" He asked.

Rachel smiled, her brown eyes sparkling.  "I'm pretty sure you'd die without me." She replied as she wound her arms around his neck. 

"I'm pretty sure you're right." He said as he leaned down, pressing his lips against hers. 

After a few more kisses, Rachel pulled back-placing her hands against his chest.  "I don't have time for this." She told him.

"What?" He exclaimed.  "You're joking, right?"

"No." She shook her head as she attempted to wiggle out of his arms.  JC tightened his hold on her-not willing to let her go.  "I have to go check on the food." She told him.

"That's the caterer's job." He told her as he bent his head and began running his lips along the column of her neck.

"And the music--"

"Is the reason you made me hire a DJ for this thing." He reminded her, his lips moving up to brush against the sensitive spot below her ear.  Rachel shivered slightly in his arms and he grinned. 

"Jace..." She breathed.  "I have to--"

"You don't have to do anything." He told her, pulling back slightly to look into her beautiful eyes.  "Except kiss me."

"Right now?" She asked him, reading the desire in his eyes.

"Right now." He nodded once.

"Here?" She asked, her eyes glancing around the small room they were occupying.

"Here." He nodded again, watching as the corners of her lips twitched. 

"You're insatiable." She told him as a smile slowly spread across her face.

"Only for you." He replied as he leaned down to kiss her.  "Only for you."    

~~~~~~

As the conversation began to die down, Justin began walking away from the group of people they had been talking to.  Aubrey stood where she was until he tugged on her hand, making it clear he wanted her to come with him.  She followed as he began walking around the club, mingling, his eyes sparkling proudly every time he introduced her to all people he knew.  He squeezed her hand affectionately and kept her close to his side as they continued moving through the crowd, finally bumping into someone that Aubrey had been hesitant about inviting, but had done so anyway at Rachel's assurance that it was okay.

"Cameron!" Justin exclaimed in pleasant surprise as he let go of Aubrey's hand to give the blonde a hug. 

"Hi!" Cameron smiled as she put her arms around him.  "Happy Birthday!" She told him as he pulled back and looked down at her. 

"Thanks for coming!" Justin smiled as he took a step back from the actress.  "How are you?"

Aubrey stood behind Justin as he and Cameron talked, awkwardly wondering if she should leave them alone while they attempted to catch up.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and clasped her hands together--unconsciously beginning to twist her engagement ring as she watched Justin laugh at what his ex-girlfriend had just said.  A flash of jealously shot through her as Cameron reached out and put her hand on Justin's arm as they continued to talk and laugh.  She was the one who was supposed to make him laugh like that--touch him like that--not her.  Cameron had had her chance and, like all the other women in his past, had given Justin up for something or someone else.  Aubrey fought the urge to reach out and take Justin's hand--possessively staking her claim on him in front of the other girl.  She wanted to...but held back, not wanting to appear as insecure as she suddenly felt.

"...and you're engaged now!"

Aubrey finally forced herself to listen to the conversation going on between Justin and Cameron.

"Yep." Justin replied proudly, a huge smile on his face as he turned to look at Aubrey.  He reached out and took her hand, pulling her next to him.

"Congratulations." Cameron offered as she smiled, her eyes sliding back and forth between Justin and Aubrey.

"Thank you." Aubrey replied feeling her jealousy and insecurity melt away as Justin put his arm around her shoulders and leaned down, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.  She looked up at him, her eyes meeting his, and her heart skipped at the look in his blue eyes.  It was a look that was becoming familiar to her and she smiled up at him.    

"Have you guys set a date yet?" Cameron asked. 

"Not yet." Justin answered with a shake of his head as he finally tore his eyes away from Aubrey and looked at Cameron.

"Well," Cameron replied.  "You make sure and let me know when the big day is, okay?" She asked. 

"I will." Justin promised. 

"Good." She smiled then did something that took Aubrey by surprise.  Cameron reached out and put her arms around Aubrey's neck, hugging her.  "Hold onto him." She whispered.  "He's one of the good ones." She pulled back and looked at Aubrey.  "Call me sometime." She said.  "We can do lunch and talk." Cameron smiled. 

"O-okay." Aubrey stammered, not really sure how to take the sudden invitation.  She felt bad for her initial reaction at meeting the girl.

"Only if you promise not to talk about me." Justin said. 

"Well, of course, we're going to talk about you!" Cameron laughed.  "Obviously." She winked at Aubrey, causing Aubrey to chuckle.  "I'm going to go get a refill." Cameron stated as she took a step around Justin.

"Okay." Justin replied.

"I'll see you two later."  She smiled then turned to leave.

"I like her." Aubrey found herself stating, a smile on her face as she watched Cameron disappear into the crowd.

"You sound surprised." Justin chuckled as he looked down at her.

"Well, you know." Aubrey shrugged.  "She is one of your exes." She reminded him.  "And I've never met her before.  I didn't know how this was going to turn out."

"Cameron and I broke up because we ended up wanting different things from our relationship." He told her.  "But we've stayed friends." He smiled sadly.  "I think of all the break-ups I've had over the years, ours was the cleanest and most amicable." 

Justin reached a hand up, cupping her cheek.  Aubrey smiled as she looked up at him and closed her eyes as he leaned down, intent on kissing her.

"There you are!"

Justin groaned softly and Aubrey jumped slightly at the suddenly exclamation.  They both turned to see Justin's mother walking towards them.  A surprised smile spread across Justin's face. 

"Ma?" He asked as Lynn stepped up to them. "What are you doing here?" Justin questioned as he gave his mother a hug.  "Couldn't wait a few more days to see me?" He teased as he drew back.

Lynn smiled as she reached out and pulled Aubrey in for a hug.  "Aubrey here called and invited us last week." She said as she released Aubrey.  Justin smiled at Aubrey as he reached for her hand once more.  "And you know me," Lynn continued.  "I love a good party!"  They all laughed.  "Paul couldn't come because of work," she told him as Justin began looking around for his step-dad.  "But he said to tell you he's excited to see you guys next week.  Especially you." She smiled at Aubrey as she reached out and took her other hand, giving it an affectionate squeeze.  "He's anxious to finally meet you." 

Justin smiled and Aubrey felt her cheeks warm slightly as Lynn pulled a long, skinny, white box from her purse.  She reached up and tucked it into the front pocket of Justin's shirt. 

"Ma," Justin drawled as he reached for the gift.  "You didn't have to--"

"Happy Birthday." She said with a smile as she put her hand against his cheek. 

"Thank you." Justin replied sincerely as he gave his mother another hug.  Aubrey watched them, a smile tugging at her lips.  She loved the relationship Justin had with his mother.  Though he was independent and self-sufficient, he still relied on her input and valued her opinions on the choices he made in his life.  Lynn had done an amazing job raising Justin as he'd grown up in the spotlight and the courtesy and compassion she'd instilled in him from a young age had carried through to his adult life, making him the incredible man he was today.

Justin turned as Lynn left as suddenly as she had appeared.  As she disappeared into the crowd, he pulled the box his mother had given him from his pocket and looked at it.

"What is it?" Aubrey asked him as he released her hand. 

"I don't know." He replied, lifting the lid.  "It's a...a pocket watch." He said, removing the item from the box and holding it up for her to see.  "This looks like my grandpa's." Justin remarked as he turned the watch over in his hand.

"Really?" Aubrey asked.

Justin nodded.  "I remember he always had it with him..." He trailed off as he flipped open the case.  "It is his." He smiled.  "See the initials?" He asked, showing her the inside of the watch case.

"Can I see it?" Aubrey asked.  Justin handed her the watch.  She turned it over in her hands.  "I like it." She smiled, looking up at him.

"Yeah?" Justin asked.

"Yeah." She nodded as she looked up at him.  "It suits you." She reached out, slipping the watch into the front pocket of his pants then stood back and looked at him.  "Now you're is complete." She remarked with a grin.  Justin watched her closely, a serious expression on his face.  Aubrey's smile faded and her stomach fluttered at the intense look in his blue eyes.  "What?" She asked, with a confused chuckle at his continued silence. 

"Dance with me." He said simply.

Justin held out his hand to her and Aubrey smiled as she slipped her fingers into his.  She hadn't even been paying attention to the music playing in the club, but as he took her hand and she followed him out onto the dance floor she listened as the tempo slowed.  Justin stopped and pulled her in front of him, his blue eyes met hers as he put one arm around her waist and Aubrey felt her stomach quiver as it did each time he pulled her close.  She put one arm around his shoulder, as her other hand was held securely in Justin's.  He pulled their clasped hands up--tucking them against his chest as he bent his head.  Aubrey felt Justin's warm breath on her neck as his lips barely brushed along the sensitive skin.  She shivered slightly, goose bumps rising, and he chuckled softly in her ear at her reaction.

"You are amazing." He told her quietly, pulling back slightly to look at her as he continued leading her in a gentle sway.  "You know that, right?" He asked, his blue eyes searching hers.

Aubrey simply smiled as she tightened her arm around him and rested her head against his chest.  Justin bent his head slightly so his cheek was resting against her forehead and Aubrey let out a soft sigh of contentment.

~~~~~~

Justin closed his eyes as Aubrey's sigh brushed over his neck.  They were in a room full of people, but as far as he was concerned the only one that mattered was the girl in his arms.  When he held her, he held everything.  He loved her--so much it hurt sometimes-and he silently thanked God once again for placing her in his life.  She was incredible!  The way she felt in his arms, the way she loved him, the way she made him feel...it was hard to put into words, but as he'd been standing there talking with Cameron earlier, he'd realized how lucky he was to have found Aubrey.  What he felt for this girl far surpassed anything he'd ever felt before in his life. 

"I love you." He whispered.  Aubrey lifted her head from his chest and looked up at him.  He stopped dancing, placed both hands on her face and leaned down-finally pressing his lips to hers like he'd wanted to do all evening.  "Thank you for this." He told her, his lips moving against hers.  He watched as Aubrey's beautiful eyes fluttered open. 

"You're welcome." She replied quietly, a soft smile lifting the corners of her mouth.  "Happy Birthday." 

~~~~~~  

"When do I get my present?" Justin asked a mischievous sparkle suddenly in his eyes.

The romantic mood between them fled and Aubrey playfully smacked his chest as she stepped away from him.  The slow song they had been dancing to ended, an up tempo one taking its place, as she folded her arms across her chest. 

"Is that what that was?" She asked him, trying to look hurt but knowing she didn't succeed.  She wasn't a great actor and Justin saw through her stern expression-a laugh escaping him.

"You're cute when you're trying to be stern." He told her with a grin.

Aubrey rolled her eyes and looked away from him in an attempt to keep from laughing.  "Here I thought we were having an incredibly sweet, romantic moment, and you were just trying seduce a secret out of me." She lifted her chin and tightened her arms across her chest. 

"Hold on." Justin said with a laugh as he put his hands on her upper arms. 

"No." Aubrey shook her head as she turned around. 

Justin wrapped his arms around her from behind.  "Look." He said, holding out the pocket watch he'd just been given and flipping open the case.  "It's almost midnight."

"And?" Aubrey asked, fighting the tingle that ran down her spine as he pressed his lips to her neck. 

"And..." He drawled, his warm breath on her skin wreaking havoc on her senses.  She was suddenly reminded of the length of time it had been since they'd had a chance to be together and she wanted nothing more than to turn around and beg him to love her as only he knew how.

Justin pressed another lingering kiss to the side of her neck and Aubrey swallowed as she melted back against him.  He brushed his nose up to her ear then turned her in his arms.  Aubrey looked up into his clear, blue eyes. 

"You promised." He reminded her.  "I think I've been more than patient last couple weeks." He continued as he ran his fingertips along her jaw then tilted her chin up a bit. 

"Yes, you have." Aubrey nodded, closing her eyes as he brushed his nose against hers seductively-his lips a mere breath away.  Aubrey felt her heart pounding in her chest and her knees felt suspiciously weak as Justin continued teasing her-slowly driving her insane. 

"So I think it's time for you to finally give me what I want." He told her, his voice low and rough.

Aubrey's eyes opened and she looked at him.  She could feel the heat between them as he held her gaze intently and she shivered as he brushed the pad of his thumb along her bottom lip.  She thought about what she had gotten for him and her stomach began quivering in anticipation of his reaction. 

"It's not something I can give you here." She told him.  "So, it's up to you.  We can stay and continue to party or we can go--" Aubrey was cut off as Justin suddenly took her hand and began pulling her back towards the door they'd entered the club through four hours ago. 

"Let's go." Justin replied and Aubrey smiled as she followed him outside and towards the Escalade.

~~~~~~

"What's going on between you and JC?"

Justin looked over at Aubrey as they drove through L.A. towards his house.  "What do you mean?" He asked, turning his eyes back to the road.

"Things got kind of intense between you two tonight." Aubrey continued.  "It was kind of weird."

Justin shifted in his seat slightly, leaning his left arm on the door rest while he gripped the steering wheel with his right hand.  "JC likes to think he's in charge." Justin finally replied, fighting to keep his irritation in check.  This was killing the mood they'd left the club with and he wasn't very happy with the topic of this conversation. 

"What does that mean?" Aubrey questioned.

"The guy is one of my best friends, don't get me wrong." Justin stated.  "It's just..." He sighed and leaned his head against his left hand--running his fingers over his hair.  "I don't know.  Ever since we got serious about getting the group back together he's slipped back into the role he played fifteen years ago when we were just starting out." He finally turned to look at Aubrey when they came to a red light.  His eyes met hers in the darkened interior.  "I'm not fourteen anymore." He told her.  "I'm not a kid who doesn't know what he's doing and needs someone to keep an eye on him and hold his hand." 

"Have you told him how you feel?" Aubrey asked. 

"No." Justin shook his head as he turned his head-concentrating once more on the road as traffic began moving again. 

"Maybe you should." She offered.  "He probably doesn't even realize he's doing it." They were both quiet for a moment.  "Snapping at him isn't going to make things better." She continued.

"I know." Justin nodded with a sigh.  "I know."

"Will you talk to him?" Aubrey asked, leaning across the center consol towards him.  Justin turned to look at her briefly.  "Before you snap at him again?"

"Yes." He nodded as he shifted again, putting his left hand on the wheel as he took her left hand with his right.  "I'll talk to him." He promised, giving her the answer she wanted while he gave her fingers a squeeze.

"Good." She smiled as she put her other hand on his arm. 

"But right now I want to talk to you." He continued, his thumb caressing the back of her hand.

"What do you want to talk about?" Aubrey asked.

"About my birthday present." Justin answered.

Aubrey laughed.  "Have you figured it out yet?" She asked.

"No." He shook his head.

"Good." She replied with a smug smirk on her face.  Justin's eyes moved between her and the road and he wanted nothing more than to kiss that smirk off of her beautiful face.

"I can't for the life of me figure out what you could have gotten me." He told her and Aubrey's smile grew.  "You're really proud of yourself, aren't you?" He asked with a chuckle.

"You bet I am!" She exclaimed.  "Do you know how hard you are to shop for?" She asked.  "You have everything.  Literally.  And yet, I have managed to get you something you don't have and haven't been able to guess." She smiled triumphantly.  "I think that gives me some bragging rights, don't you think?" She asked.

Justin laughed as he brought her hand up to his mouth.  "I love you." He said as he kissed the back of her hand.  "But you're driving me insane!  Just tell me already!"

"Nope." Aubrey shook her head with a laugh.  "This is too much fun and we're not home yet."

~~~~~~  

A shiver went through Aubrey as Justin's blue eyes connected with hers--the playful mood of seconds before becoming suddenly intense.

"Home?" He asked quietly, his blue eyes delving into hers as they stopped at another red light.  Her heart fluttered nervously in her chest.   "Have you..." Justin paused.  "Have you changed your mind?" He asked a veiled look of hope in his eyes.

Aubrey remained silent, swallowing the sudden lump in her throat.  Since he'd asked her a few weeks ago to move in with him and she'd protested, she had been hoping and praying the subject wouldn't be brought up again--even though she knew it would be.  She cleared her throat.  "Justin, I..."  She hesitated, wondering how to tell him what she was thinking and feeling without ruining anything between them.  "I can't." She shook her head. 

She watched as his brows lowered--furrowing in thought--and wanted so badly to reach out and smooth the worry lines away.  He sat silently, just looking at her, until someone honked behind them.  They both jumped slightly and Justin moved the car through the intersection.  A heavy silence filled the SUV as he turned on his street.  Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth.  This evening hadn't turned out at all like she had been anticipating.  How was she supposed to give him his present when she'd gone and crushed his hopes of her moving in with him?  I am officially the worst girlfriend ever. She thought with a dejected sigh.  Why does he love me?

Justin pulled into his driveway and parked the Escalade in his garage.  Turning off the car, Aubrey expected him to let go of her hand and get out, but he didn't move.  Instead he just sat there--silently staring at the steering wheel.

"I don't understand." He said finally.  He slowly turned to look at her.  "We love each other.  We're engaged.  You practically live here as it is." He paused and Aubrey hung her head, unable to look at him.  "Why don't you want to move in with me?"

"It's hard to explain." She told him quietly as she pulled her hand from his. 

"Try." He urged.  "Help me understand."

Aubrey sighed.  She sat for a moment, searching for the right words and Justin remained silent-waiting.  "I've moved a lot in my life." She told him.  "I've never really..." she swallowed again.  "Nothing was ever permanent for me growing up." She continued, clasping her hands together to keep her nervous trembling from showing.  "Every time we moved, I knew it wasn't worth it to make friends or try to fit in because pretty soon we'd be moving again and having to leave behind people I'd grown to care about would make it that much harder when it was time to leave."  She hated the way her voice cracked--evidence of her emotion.  She hadn't realized she was crying until she felt Justin reach over and brush away the tear slipping down her cheek.  She looked over at him.  "To me, moving means that eventually everything is going to end and I'm going to have to leave." She blinked back her tears, but it did no good--they fell anyway.  "I don't want this to end."

"Aubrey..." Justin drawled.

"I know it's irrational," she interrupted him.  "And I know you're probably thinking I'm crazy and wondering what the hell you're doing with me...but that's how I feel." She told him.  "That's why I can't move in with you right now.  I'm getting there...but not yet." 

Justin said nothing as he leaned across the center consol and wrapped his arms around her.  "You're not crazy." He whispered in her ear.  Aubrey put her arms around him, hugging him tightly--soaking in the love and comfort he so freely offered her.  He pulled back just enough to look her in the eyes.  He brushed the remaining tears from her face. 

"I'm sorry." She said, chuckling wryly as she shook her head.  "You didn't know I had so many issues when you decided you wanted to marry me, did you?" She teased.  "If you don't want--"

"Stop." Justin interrupted her, by placing his lips against hers.  Aubrey leaned against him as he kissed her deeply.  "What I want," Justin said, pulling back slightly.  "Is for you to be happy." He lifted one hand, his thumb brushing over her bottom lip.  "And if the thought of moving in with me is causing you this much stress and anxiety, then you're not happy and I don't want it." He shook his head.  "But eventually, you will have to move in with me." He told her.  "Somewhere.  Wherever we decide to live." He smiled as he tucked some hair behind her ear.  "I am not," he lowered his head slightly so he was looking directly into her eyes, "living in a separate house from my wife.  That is unacceptable."

Aubrey let out a quiet laugh and nodded in agreement. 

"Now," Justin said, his blue eyes sparkling.  He looked down at his watch.  "You've got twenty minutes until midnight so let's stop wasting time, shall we?"

Aubrey smiled.  "That's plenty of time." She told him then got out of the car.  Justin followed suit and grabbed her hand as they walked towards the door to the house.  She could hear Buckley and Brennan on the other side of the door, whining in excitement of their arrival home.  Aubrey laughed as the two boxers attacked them as they walked into the house. 

~~~~~~

"Knock it off, guys!" Justin commanded as he shoved his way past the dogs. 

"Awe, be nice." Aubrey told him as she greeted the dogs.  "They missed you."

"They missed you." He replied as he turned to look at her from where he stood in the kitchen.  "Look who they're attacking right now." He laughed.  "They don't get this excited when it's just me coming home." Aubrey smiled at him.  Justin crossed his arms over his chest as he watched her return her attention to his dogs and he wondered if she knew how adorable she was and how much he loved her.

What he had just learned about her in the car--what she had admitted to him--had broken his heart and made him that much more committed to making this relationship work.  Although he hadn't exactly had a normal childhood, he couldn't imagine what it felt like to never have a permanent place to call home or friends to hang out with. 

As she finally disentangled herself from Buckley and Brennan and walked towards him, Justin vowed that that was going to change.  Wherever she wanted it to be, he would make sure she had the permanent, stable home she'd always wanted growing up.  When she finally moved in with him, she would never have to move again.   

"What are you thinking about so hard?" Aubrey asked coming to stand directly in front of him. 

"You." He answered honestly.  She smiled as she put a hand to his face.  Leaning up on her toes she pressed her lips against his.  "You've got fifteen minutes." He told her as she pulled back and she rolled her eyes. 

"You're making a really big deal out of all of this." She told him.  "I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed when you finally find out what I got you."

"Let's find out." He said. 

Aubrey stood looking at him for a moment then sighed.  "Alright." She said with a shrug as she turned.  "Follow me."

~~~~~~

"Has it been hiding in here the whole time?" Justin exclaimed as Aubrey led him upstairs and into his bedroom.  "Man!  You are good!"  He looked at her in admiration.  "Okay," he put his hands together, rubbing them in anticipation.  "Where is it?"

"I'm wearing it." She told him. 

Justin's eyes narrowed and his hands dropped as he looked at her in surprise.  "What?" He asked as if he hadn't heard her.

"I'm wearing it." She told him again.  She watched as one of his eyebrows slowly rose and her stomach quivered at the lust that darkened his blue eyes. 

"Is that so?" He asked, taking a step towards her.  She nodded.  He eyes slowly traveled down her body and back up and Aubrey felt her knees weaken slightly--the anticipation was killing her.  She'd been waiting what seemed like forever to finally reveal her surprise and see his reaction.  "What are you wearing?" He asked.

"That's for me to know and...you to find out." She told him.  Aubrey tried to quell the nervous butterflies swarming inside her as Justin walked around her slowly--taking her in. 

"And you've been wearing it all night?" He asked, coming to stand in front of her again.  She nodded.  He remained silent as he studied her and finally she couldn't stand it anymore.

"Are you just going to stand there looking at me all night?" She asked.  "Or are you going to try and figure out what it is?  You've been pushing me for weeks to tell you what I got you and now that I'm telling you, you're just standing there!  I don't--" She let out a startled gasp as Justin bent down suddenly.  Wrapping his arms around her legs he stood, put her over his shoulder, and walked the few steps toward the bed.  She laughed as, without ceremony, he plopped her down in the middle of the bed.  Aubrey pushed the hair away from her face as she looked up at Justin--quickly scrambling backwards as he crawled up next to her, a predatory look in his blue eyes.

Before she knew it, his lips were on hers-his fingers making quick work of the buttons on the shirt she was wearing.  When he spread the sides of her shirt open, he tore his lips away from hers and looked down at the skin he had just exposed.  Aubrey took a few deep breaths, attempting to calm her racing heart--her mind scrambling to catch up with his sudden and heated attack on her.  She watched as his eyes scanned her body, disappointment flashing across his face briefly as he didn't find anything new or unusual.

Justin lowered his head, his lips pressing warmly against her stomach and Aubrey shivered as he expertly popped the button on her jeans and began tugging them over her hips inch my torturous inch.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth to keep from moaning in protest.  He was going too slow!  This was taking too long!  His blue eyes darkened suddenly and a slow, seductive smile spread across his handsome face as he finally uncovered the prize he'd been seeking. 

"Is this real?" He asked, his warm hands gave her hips a squeeze and he ran his thumb over the small heart now adorning her left hip.  Aubrey nodded, unable to speak.  Justin lowered his head-pressing his lips against her new tattoo--and Aubrey closed her eyes, melting back against the pillows with a breathy sigh.  He had always had the ability to reduce her to a puddle with a single touch and tonight was no different.  Aubrey opened her eyes as she felt the bed move--watching as Justin crawled back up her body.

"I have never," he said, lowering his head and pressing a kiss to the corner of her jaw.  "Been more turned on," he lifted his head briefly before moving to the other side and kissing the opposite side of her jaw.  "In my life." He finished, propping himself up on his forearms as he looked down at her.  "Who are you?" He asked.  "And what have you done with my innocent little fiancée?"  Aubrey laughed as she wound her arms around his neck.  "What about all of your commitment issues?" He asked, his eyes sparkling teasingly.

"You were the one who said I had commitment issues, not me." She reminded him with a smile.

"What made you decide to get it?" He asked rolling over on his side next to her. 

"I wanted to surprise you." She told him.

"Sweetheart, you surprise me every damn day." He replied with a laugh as he reached his arm out, across her, running his thumb over the heart again.

Aubrey flinched slightly and he looked at her in question.  "It's still a little tender." She told him.  "So be careful."  He lowered his head, softly brushing his lips against the mark that, for all intents and purposes, now branded her as his.  Aubrey reached out as he lifted his head once again, running the fingers of one hand through his short hair. Justin turned his head slightly and kissed the inside of her wrist. 

"This is..." he shook his head and he looked at the tattoo again and then back up at her.  "Thank you."  He said simply and she smiled at the look in his clear, blue eyes.  He knew what this meant.  He knew what it had taken for her to get the tattoo and what the symbol represented.  "I love you." He told her, the look in his eyes and the intensity of the words he had spoken going straight to her hear.

"I love you, too." She replied with a smile her hand coming down to rest against his cheek.  "Happy Birthday."

Justin moved atop her again and Aubrey closed her eyes, willingly surrendering as his lips once more found hers. "This is the best birthday I've ever had." He told her as he released her mouth and began scattering kisses across her face and down her neck and throat.  "I don't know how you're ever going to top this." He stated, resting his weight on his elbows again as he looked down at her. 

"Me neither." She confessed. 

"What are you going to do for Valentine's Day?" He asked.

"I have no idea!" Aubrey exclaimed with a laugh.  "I accepted your ring for Christmas, and I permanently marked my body for you for your birthday.  What else is there for me to do?" She teased. 

He was quiet for a moment as he looked at her.  "Marry me." He replied.

End Notes:
reviews: I'm addicted to them :)  Let me know what you think! 
Chapter 6 by azchickadee
The laughter bubbling up inside of her died on her lips at the look in Justin's eyes.  He wasn't kidding!  "Justin..." Aubrey paused, her mind reeling.  "I...uh...y-you can't be serious." She stuttered.  "Are you serious?"

"Yes." He nodded.

Aubrey looked at him in stunned surprise.  "T-two weeks?" She finally exclaimed.  "You want to get married?  In two weeks?!"

"Why not?" He asked.

"Why not?" Aubrey echoed then shook her head in dazed confusion as she pushed him away from her.  "Why not...Justin, I can't even believe we're having this conversation." She told him as she sat up.  "I can't marry you in two weeks!" She continued as she stood and began pacing in front of the bed. 

"Why not?" Justin asked again and she stopped moving as she looked over at him. 

"Because nothing is planned, Justin!" She reminded him.  "You just asked me to marry you a month ago!"

"Rachel can help you." He replied as he stood and took hold of her upper arms.  "That's what she does, right?"

"Rachel is in the middle of planning her own wedding right now." Aubrey reminded him.  "And starting her own business!"

Justin rolled his eyes.  "If I know anything about Rachel, she's had that wedding planned since she was sixteen and first decided she was going to marry JC. Was else is left for her to plan?"

Aubrey laughed in spite of herself at Justin's response and the absolute ridiculousness of the situation she was currently in.  "This is crazy!" She told him, shaking her head as she folded her arms across her chest and looked at him.  "We can't--"

"Marry me, Aubrey." Justin said pulling her close and pressing his lips against hers insistently.  "Marry me." He breathed as he rested his forehead against hers.

"Justin..." Aubrey hesitated and closed her eyes as the opposing sides of her personality warred against each other internally.  The spontaneous and fun-loving side that Justin was slowly but surely bringing out in her was jumping in excitement at the idea, while the practical and cautious side was screaming at her that she was crazy for even considering this and was going to regret it.  "It's too fast." She told him.  "I don't--"

"Listen to me, Aubrey Janae." Justin said, interrupting her.  "I love you." He stated firmly, the fire in his blue eyes causing her heart to skip.  "You love me.  We know we're going to get married one day, so why not in two weeks?  What's the difference?  What are we waiting for?"

Aubrey looked at him for a moment, her eyes searching his.  As crazy as it was, he had a point.  What were they waiting for?  To have extra time to worry and stress out about everything?  All they really needed was a church somewhere that would hold their families and a few close friends and someone to marry them. Aubrey had never wanted a huge wedding and she knew, the longer they waited, the more hype the media was going to put out about them getting married.  This would be the perfect way to bypass all the frenzy.  Nobody in their right mind would be expecting them to get married six weeks after getting engaged! 

"What do you say?" Justin asked interrupting her thoughts, a hopeful expression on his handsome face. 

Aubrey remained quiet as she continued looking at him.  Was she seriously considering this?  Was she ready to marry Justin?  To become Mrs. SexyBack?  An excited thrill went through her and before she could stop it the answer to both his question and her own came out. 

"Yes." She told him. 

"Yes?" Justin asked in surprise and she nodded.  "Yes!" Justin exclaimed.  A huge smile lit up his face and Aubrey let out a surprised squeal as he suddenly picked her up and spun her around.  "I love you!  You're beautiful!" He exclaimed as he let her down and smothered her with kisses.

"You're crazy!" She laughed. 

Justin placed his hands on either side of her face.  "Absolutely, certifiably, and one hundred percent crazy about you." He replied as he kissed her lips, his arms going around her as he held her tightly. Aubrey's arms wound around his neck and she prayed that they were making the right decision; that this wouldn't come back to bite them in the butt. 

Her worries and concerns soon left however, as Justin once more picked her up and carried her over to the bed--his lips never leaving hers.  Aubrey pushed aside the questions and the nagging voice in the back of her mind, focusing all of her attention on this man who--in a few short weeks--would be her husband and she smiled.  This was by far the craziest and most impulsive thing she'd ever done, and she knew her mother was going to have a fit when she found out, but she'd never seen Justin so happy.  It was like she had granted him his life-long wish when she told him "yes" a moment ago and Aubrey knew, if she had it to do all over again, she would give him the same answer. 

They were getting married!

~~~~~~

"You have cute feet."

Megan giggled as she twisted slightly where she lay on the bed in their hotel room and looked at Jackson. 

"What?" He asked innocently as he looked at her from where he lay across the foot of the bed.  His head was propped up with one hand and he reached out, taking a hold of her left foot with his other hand.  His eyes sparkled and a mischievous grin lit his face. 

"You're delusional." Megan replied with a smile as she relaxed back against the pillows, her arms spread out on either side of her. They'd only been in Hawaii for a day but already she felt happier than she had in a long time.  Jackson was trying-they were both trying--and things were slowly getting better between them at home but Megan was counting on the next nine days giving their relationship the final boost it needed to get back on track.  

"It must be all this tropical sun," Jackson responded as he lifted her foot higher. "It's all going to my head." He finished, his lips pressing against the inside of her ankle.

"If you're like this after only one day..." Megan shook her head as she looked down at him again, a smile on her face.  "I'm a little worried about what you're going to be like when we leave." She continued with a laugh. 

"It's good to hear you laugh." Jackson commented quietly.  "I've missed it." 

An odd mix of nervousness and excitement filled her as Megan watched him press another kiss to her ankle.  It had been a long time since Jackson had made her nervous and her stomach quivered as his blue eyes met hers.  She swallowed as he lowered her foot back down, the intense look in his eyes making her heart begin to race. 

"Come here." She beckoned softly.  Jackson put his hands on either side of her on the bed as he crawled above her.  Megan reached her hands up-her fingers combing through his dark hair as she looked up at him.  One hand came to rest at the back of his head, while she pressed the other to his face-her thumb brushing over his cheek.  "If I tell you something, will you promise not to freak out?" She asked him after another few moments of continued silence.

"That depends on what you're going to tell me." Jackson responded as he looked down at her.

Megan took a deep breath.  "I want to move to California." She told him then waited for his reaction.

"California?" Jackson asked, his blue eyes registering his shock.  "Why?  I thought...I thought you loved living in Arizona."

"I do." Megan nodded.

"Then why do you want to move to California?" Jackson asked.

"Rachel is starting up her own business." Megan explained.  "And she's asked me to help her with it."  Jackson let out a heavy sigh as he rolled off of her.  He sat on the bed, his arms resting on his raised knees.  Megan sat up as well, crossing her legs as she sat looking at him from the side.  "Tell me what you're thinking." She said as she reached out, placing her hand on his arm.  He looked at where her hand rested on his arm then finally turned to look at her. 

"I'm thinking..." he paused then shook his head.  "I moved away from California for a reason, Megan." He told her.

"I know." Megan nodded as she tucked her hair behind her ears and scooted closer to him.  She knew why he had moved away five years ago.

"I moved away with every intention of never going back there." He continued.

"I know." She repeated.  "But things are different now." She reminded him.     

"What about your mom?" Jackson asked.

"We'll come back to visit." Megan replied.  "And I'm not saying this is going to be a permanent move.  I just...I really want to do this, Jackson.  I've been thinking about it for a long time and I feel like..." she paused, hesitant to voice her feelings. "I feel like I'm stuck," he looked at her sharply.  "Like we're stuck." She finally quickly amended.  Jackson lowered his knees as he turned to face her.  "It's like we've gone as far as we can go where we are and if something doesn't change then I'm afraid..." She trailed off, not wanting to voice her fears.  She looked down, unable to meet his intense stare any longer. 

Jackson reached out, his fingers lifting her chin--forcing her to look at him.  "You're afraid of what?" He asked, his blue eyes delving into hers but she remained silent, the answer was on the tip of her tongue but she kept quiet--hoping that by not actually saying the words she could prevent them from ever coming true. 

Megan looked away from him again--closing her eyes against the guilt she felt and the tears beginning to prickle.  Jackson leaned forward slightly, resting his forehead against her temple.  He let out a heavy sigh.

"You really want to do this?" He asked her.  "You really want to pack up everything, leave our friends and your family, and move to California?"

"Yes." Megan replied. She turned to look at him.  "I really want to." 

Jackson remained silent-his eyes holding hers as he sat, deep in thought.  "Okay." He finally breathed. 

"Really?" She asked, hope and excitement flaring in her chest. 

"If this is what you want." He nodded and she threw her arms around his neck. 

"Thank you!"  Megan exclaimed.  "Thank you!"

~~~~~~

Later that night as Megan slept Jackson lay awake--unable to sleep. 

California.  He blew out a breath.  Could he do it?  Could he move back there?  He'd moved away not only to escape from the mess he'd made of his life and the memories of his ex-wife, but also because he had gotten tired of all the pettiness and hypocrisy that abounded in the state.  He couldn't stand it anymore.  He knew there had to be more to life than constantly searching for what was bigger and better and he'd moved away in search of a different way of life and to protect his sanity.  But...

He turned to look at his wife, resting his head in his hand as he lay on his side, watching her sleep.  If this was what she wanted, then he would do it.

As he continued to watch her, the question Megan hadn't answered earlier continued to haunt him.  What was she afraid of?  The answer he'd seen in her eyes troubled him and twisted his heart painfully.  Did she really think he would leave her?  That he could leave her? He reached out, brushing the hair away from her face--his fingertips trailing over her skin.  She let out a soft sigh.  Didn't she know how much he loved her?  How much he depended on her?  She was his wife, his lover, his best friend and the mother of his child.  How could she think that he could live without her?  He leaned closer to her, his lips pressing against hers gently. 

Megan's eyes fluttered open at the contact, focusing on him in question.  "I love you." He told her, suddenly needing to reassure her of the fact and make sure she knew with absolute certainty that it was true.

She blinked once then pulled her arm out from under the covers and placed her hand against his cheek.  Urging him closer she kissed him with a level of passion that he hadn't felt from her in a while.  His hand found her hip and he pulled her towards him, his body reacting to the feel of her against him.  She finally pulled away, the sound of their labored breathing filling the quiet room, and he watched as her tongue darted out--licking her lips.  He groaned as the action made his body cry out for hers.  A seductive smile slowly spread across her face and Jackson didn't know how much longer he could hold on to his restraint as she lowered the hand that had been on his face.  Slowly her fingers slid down his chest and stomach as she scooted even closer to him.  Jackson's eyes closed reflexively and he swallowed hard as her lips found his ear.    

"Love me." She breathed and he was powerless to deny her.  As he captured her mouth with his and rolled her onto her back, Jackson prayed for time to stand still.  He didn't want this vacation to ever end.  He just wanted to stay like this, with her, forever.  No worries.  No stress.  No questions.  No doubts or insecurities.  Just the two of them and the love they shared.  That was all he wanted.

That was all he needed.

~~~~~~

"Are you insane?"

Aubrey sighed as her brother, Michael, began lecturing her over the phone Saturday morning.  She slumped down in her seat as she pulled her car to a stop at a red light.  "Michael--" she began but he cut her off.

"No, Aubrey, this is crazy!  What are you thinking?" Michael asked.

"I don't have to explain my decision to you." Aubrey replied stubbornly as traffic began moving again. 

"Well, you're going to have to explain it to Mom and Dad, so why don't you practice with me?" Michael countered and Aubrey was starting to regret the decision to tell her family about her wedding.  We should just elope.  She thought.  But even as she thought it she knew she couldn't do that.  Her mother was going to throw a fit when she found out about the hurried wedding, yes, but if Aubrey were to get married without telling her she knew her mother would never speak to her again.

"You and Justin got engaged a month ago!" Michael continued, bringing Aubrey out of her thoughts.  "What in the world makes you think getting married in two weeks is a good idea?"

"Because, I don't want my wedding to be the topic of every news cast across the country for the next three weeks." Aubrey told him.

"Well, you should have thought about that before you went and got involved with Justin Timberlake!" Michael reminded her.

"You're right." Aubrey agreed.  "But I can't change that now." She told him.  "I love Justin and I'm going to marry him and I would like for my family to be happy about it."

Michael remained silent on the other end of the line but Aubrey could hear his labored breathing as he fought to keep his temper in check.  "Two weeks?" He asked.

"Yes." Aubrey nodded though he couldn't see her.  "Two weeks.  On Valentine's Day."

"Why?"

"Because nobody will be expecting it." Aubrey told him.  "And we can do it without a million photographers and journalists making a huge deal about it.  This way we can do it with just our families and really close friends there--instead of the entire world." She paused and Michael remained quiet.  "Will you come?" She asked him.

"Yes, of course." Michael sighed.  "I'll be there."

"Thank you." Aubrey smiled.

"But I still think you're making a huge mistake." He continued.  "I hope you know what you're doing, Freckles." He added.

Me too. Aubrey thought as she pulled up into Rachel's driveway.  Me too.

~~~~~~

"Oh my goodness!" Rachel exclaimed as she opened her front door.  "I am so glad you're here!" She opened the door and stepped back.

"What's the emergency?" Aubrey asked with a laugh as she walked inside.

"I am going crazy here!" Rachel replied as she shut the door.  "Come with me." She told Aubrey. "I'll show you." She led Aubrey downstairs.  "This," she said, stopping and spreading her arms wide.  "Is the emergency."

"What is all of this?" Aubrey asked with a chuckle as she surveyed the boxes of what looked like cards and envelopes spread out on the floor and coffee table.

"Our wedding invitations and announcements." Rachel sighed in exasperation.  "I'm not sending them out for about a month, but with the tour starting in a few weeks, and everything else going on right now, I wanted to get them done today so all I have to do is drop them in the mail when the time comes." 

"And you have to get them all done today?" Aubrey asked as she sat down on the couch and picked up one of the envelopes Rachel had addressed earlier from the coffee table. Rachel nodded.  "How many of them do you have?"

"Five hundred." Rachel replied as she knelt down next to the table.

Aubrey about chocked.  "Five hundred?" She replied.

"Don't look so surprised." Rachel chuckled.  "Remember who I'm marrying." She smiled.  "Your list is probably going to be twice as long." She teased.  "I hope you're ready."

Aubrey's heart fluttered nervously in her chest at the mention of her wedding.  She wondered what the media backlash would be to her and Justin getting married without telling anyone as she looked down at the invitation in her hand.  She ran her thumb over the words printed on the cream paper--a pang of disappointment hitting her.  She wasn't going to have wedding invitations.  There wouldn't be anything printed and sent out, announcing that she was getting married and to whom.  Until a few months ago she had believed that marriage was a long ways off for her and she hadn't thought anything about all of the preparations that went into planning a wedding.  But now, as she sat there, holding one of Rachel and JC's invitations in her hands, Aubrey suddenly felt cheated. By agreeing to marry Justin so quickly, she was missing out on the normal preparations that went into planning a wedding and she didn't want to.  She wanted to spend weeks looking at dresses and picking out flowers.  She wanted to argue with Justin over what type of cake to get or where to have the ceremony and reception.  She wanted--

"Are you okay?" Rachel asked, startling Aubrey from her thoughts.

"I'm fine." Aubrey replied automatically as she tucked her hair behind her ear and returned the invitation to the stack on the coffee table.  She looked over at Rachel who sat, looking at her in question.  Aubrey smiled, hoping to reassure Rachel and keep her from asking any questions.  "You still haven't told me why all of these have to be done today." Aubrey reminded Rachel.    

"Because this is the only day I have to do them." Rachel replied as if the answer were obvious.

"Okay." Aubrey said with a smile.  "Well...what do you want me to do?"

The girls spent the next several hours assembling Rachel's wedding invitations and stuffing them into envelopes, talking and laughing, until Rachel decided to turn on the TV and find a movie to watch.   After flipping through a few channels, she let out an excited gasp--startling Aubrey.

"What?" Aubrey asked, looking at the screen in question. 

"Have you ever seen this movie?" Rachel asked, pointing at the screen, an excited smile on her face. 

"I don't think so." Aubrey shook her head, not recognizing the opening credits scene.  "It doesn't look familiar.  Why?"

"It's Model Behavior." Rachel stated.

"Okay..." Aubrey drawled, wondering if the name of the movie should mean something to her. 

"Your fiancée is in this." Rachel giggled.

"Justin?" Aubrey asked.

"Do you have another fiancée?" Rachel teased.

"No." Aubrey laughed and Rachel smiled as she turned back to face the TV.

"When did he do this movie?" Aubrey asked as she continued to watch the beginning of the movie. 

"Mmmm...ten years ago?" Rachel guessed.  "I think it came out in like 2000 or 2001, something like that.  I love this movie!" She giggled again.  "Reminds me of my first year of college.  Every once in a while Disney re-runs it and it makes me smile.  Justin is so adorable in it!"

Aubrey continued to assemble the stack of announcements in front of her on the coffee table as she watched the movie.  She couldn't help rolling her eyes at the ridiculous and cheesy movie. "This is really bad, Rachel." She commented.

"I know." Rachel conceded.  "But see!" She exclaimed as Justin finally made his appearance on screen.  "Isn't he adorable?"

Aubrey laughed at Rachel's giddy behavior.  "Do you want me to leave you alone in here?" She teased.

"No." Rachel replied, reaching back to slap Aubrey's leg playfully.  "Just admit that he's adorable."

"He's adorable." Aubrey laughed.  Rachel was right-Justin was adorable in the movie.  Ridiculous and horribly cheesy, but adorable.  "Grad school?!" Aubrey exclaimed as his character explained that he was only in modeling to save money.  "Oh brother!" Aubrey rolled her eyes again.

"I know, I know." Rachel replied with a laugh.  "Not very believable, huh?"

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "And especially not for astronomy!  They couldn't come up with something better than that?"  She asked.  The girls both giggled as they continued to watch the movie-Rachel's wedding announcements forgotten for the moment. 

"You know what I love about Justin?" Rachel asked as the movie continued. 

"What's that?" Aubrey asked.

"That he's really like that." She said, pointing at the screen.  "He's not acting.  He really is that sweet and charming in person."

"Yeah, he is." Aubrey smiled as she watched the younger version of her fiancée on screen.  "But thankfully it doesn't come off as that cheesy all the time!"  She laughed.  Justin flashed his trademark grin and she felt her heart flutter in her chest.  He was sweet and charming and romantic and funny and everything else she could have ever asked for in a guy and suddenly, she didn't care that she wasn't going to be able to send out her own wedding announcements.  In two weeks she was going to be married to him and an excited thrill went through her.  "We're getting married." Aubrey voiced the thought out loud before she could stop herself.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and her eyes widened slightly as she looked over at Rachel--wondering what the girl's reaction would be to that statement.   

"Duh." Rachel replied with a smile as she turned to look at Aubrey over her shoulder.  "I know that, silly."

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "We're getting married, Rachel."  She took a deep breath.  "In two weeks."       

~~~~~~ 

Rachel sat, looking at the television in stunned silence for a moment.  Finally, she turned off the TV and slowly turned to look at Aubrey--one eyebrow raised in question.  "You're joking, right?" She asked.  "Please tell me you're joking."

Aubrey shook her head, her hazel eyes watching Rachel closely.

"What in the hell do you mean, you're getting married in two weeks?!" Rachel exclaimed.  "Are you out of your mind?  I can't plan a wedding in two weeks!"

"Rachel--"

"No." Rachel shook her head, cutting Aubrey off.  "This is insane, Aubrey!"  Rachel's head was spinning.  I don't have time for this!  She thought.  "I don't...wha..." She stopped, unable to spit the words out.  She took a few deep breaths, trying to calm her suddenly racing heart and thoughts.  Not only was she stressing out about getting her business started and all of her own wedding plans but now she was going to have to help Aubrey plan her wedding in fourteen days?!  How was she going to do it?  When was she going to find the time?  Her thoughts suddenly jumped to the conversation she'd had with JC Thursday night at Justin's party and Rachel groaned.  Covering her face with her hands she closed her eyes.  JC wasn't going to take this news very well.  Rachel knew how he was going to react and she wasn't looking forward to having to calm him down.  Again. 

Rachel looked up at Aubrey again and felt a slight pang of regret for reacting so harshly to her news.  Rachel watched as Aubrey sat on the couch with her head lowered-her eyes focused on her clasped hands.  Rachel took a deep breath.  It'll be okay.  She told herself.  Everything will be okay.

"When did you guys decide this?" Rachel asked, trying to keep her anger in check.  Maybe there was a good explanation.  Maybe they'd been planning this all along and had just decided to let people in on it...

"Last night." Aubrey answered softly.

"Last night?!" Rachel exclaimed-all attempts at controlling her emotions going right out the window.

"I'm not expecting you to help with anything." Aubrey continued.  "I just thought you would want to know about it." She said, lifting her head to look at Rachel.  "You and JC are invited, of course."

"JC is going to kill Justin over this." Rachel told her, voicing her earlier thoughts on the matter.  "You realize this, right?  Are you prepared to be a widow so soon?"

Aubrey looked at her in confusion.  "I figured this would solve everybody's problems." She admitted.

"How?" Rachel asked.

"It'll be done and over with.  The media isn't going to find out until afterwards so it's not going to be the big new story." Aubrey sighed.  "I know Justin and JC are working out some issues right now and this way...it'll be your wedding that everyone is talking about.  Not mine."

Rachel sat, watching Aubrey for a moment.  "The media is still going to find out about it." She replied.  "They always find out about things like this."

"We're only telling our parents and siblings and a few close friends." Aubrey told her.  "All of which we trust and know will keep quiet about it, so if it leaks it won't be until after it's over and even then, we're not planning on telling anyone right away."

"And what do you think is going to happen when Justin is suddenly spotted around town wearing a wedding ring?" Rachel asked.

"Then we'll say something about it then." Aubrey replied.  "Rachel," she sighed.  "I don't want my wedding to be plastered all over every magazine and new channel around the world.  I want to marry Justin and have it actually mean something, you know?  I don't want it to be public.  This is private and personal and the longer we wait the more fuss everyone is going to make about it.  If we do it now, no one is going to find out about it until we're ready to tell them."

Rachel sighed as she looked down at the floor.  "Where are you guys planning on doing this?" She asked, looking back up at Aubrey.

"Probably in Tennessee-away from everyone here." Aubrey answered.  "We're going to talk to his family about it when we're there next week."

Rachel blew out a sigh of resignation.  "That doesn't give us much time, now does it?" she asked, and a tentative smile spread across Aubrey's face.  

This was all a huge mistake.  Rachel could sense it.  She didn't doubt that Aubrey and Justin really loved each other--she'd been observing them from day one and knew that their feelings for each other were genuine.  What she did doubt, was that Aubrey was really ready for this.  Did she fully understand what being married to Justin was going to entail?  Was she ready to live the life of a celebrity wife?  Rachel sighed.  There's no way in hell she's ready for this. She thought as she looked at Aubrey.  She has no idea what she's getting herself into. 

"You don't have to do anything." Aubrey began, pulling Rachel from her thoughts.   

"Of course I do!"  Rachel insisted forcing a smile and pushing aside her doubts about this whole situation.  If this was what they wanted, then who was she to stand in their way?  "You think I'm going to pass up the opportunity to help plan Justin Timberlake's wedding?" She teased and Aubrey laughed.

"I don't want anything fancy." Aubrey told her.

"In two weeks you ain't gettin' anything fancy, girlfriend." Rachel shook her head as she put a hand on her hip.  "But I think we can still pull together something beautiful." She smiled.  "The most important thing is the dress." She continued.  "How much are you looking to spend..."  

~~~~~~

"I can't believe this!" JC growled angrily.  Rachel stood by the bed, watching him anxiously.  She'd just spilled the beans to him about Justin and Aubrey's Valentine's Day wedding and she had been right.  JC looked like he wanted to kill a certain blue-eyed pop music icon.

"Once!"  He told Rachel, holding up one finger.  "Just once, why can't I have something without Justin coming in to steal the spotlight away?"

"Jace..."

"Why?!" He yelled suddenly throwing the water bottle in his hand across the room.  Rachel watched as it hit the bedside table, knocking the lamp over and breaking it.  She looked at him in shock, stunned at his sudden outburst. 

"Joshua!" She scolded.  She understood his anger--she'd been expecting it--but he didn't need to get so violent about it.

"I'm done." He continued as if he hadn't heard her.  He leaned against the dresser, his fingers gripping the edge tightly as he hung his head, his chest rising and falling deeply.  "I'm done.  I knew this was going to happen." He muttered to himself.

"Josh." Rachel stepped up to him and placed her hand on his back in a comforting gesture.  She'd never seen him this angry before.  He was so upset he was shaking!

"I'm done, Rachel."  He told her and she wondered what exactly he was done with.  She wanted to ask, but feared another outburst like the one he'd just had-she didn't want to have to replace anymore furniture than she had to.  Instead she simply wrapped her arms around him and laid her head against his back. 

"They're doing this for you." Rachel stated quietly, alluding to what Aubrey had told her earlier.

"They're doing what for me, Rachel?" He yelled at her as he turned in her arms suddenly.  "Ruining my life?"

"Don't yell at me, Joshua!" Rachel told him firmly, folding her arms across her chest.  "Or I'm going to walk right out that door." She turned and pointed behind her.  He clenched his jaw tightly as he glared at her--his blue eyes blazing. "Now," she said taking a deep breath.  "You need to calm down.  You're acting a bit irrational here.  Are you even listening to yourself?" She asked, throwing her arms out to the side.  "Ruining your life?  How the hell is Justin getting married, ruining your life?"

"He's doing it again." He told her.  "Every time I have something good, Justin comes in and takes it over." 

"He's not taking me over." She replied with a smile, hoping to lighten the mood.

"You know what I mean." JC replied angrily, with a roll of his eyes.  Rachel lifted one brow at that.  Normally she would have called him out on that blatant show of disrespect, but decided to bite her tongue instead.  That really wasn't a fight she wanted to pick with him right now.  She watched as he jammed his hands into his hair and walked over to the bed--sitting down with a heavy sigh.  "I can't do it anymore." He said, shaking his head.

"You can't do what anymore?" Rachel asked walking over to him.  She took his hand as she sat down beside him.  JC remained silent.  "You can't do what?" She asked him again, this time nudging him with her shoulder. 

JC finally looked over at her.  "The reunion." He stated simply, his voice reflecting the sudden weariness she could see on his face.  "I'm out."   

End Notes:

thoughts? questions? suggestions? comments?

I want them all :)

Chapter 7 by azchickadee
"He said yes!" Megan exclaimed over the phone Monday afternoon.

"Really?" Rachel asked, sitting up on the couch in excitement.

"Mmm-hmm." Megan replied.  "I talked to Jackson the other night and we're moving to California!"

"Ahh!" Rachel exclaimed.  "I'm so excited!  This is going to be great!  Megan and Rachel: Back in Action." She stated, as if reading off the title of the latest summer blockbuster.

Megan laughed.  "Cross your fingers that we can sell our house quickly and find something there that we like."

"They're crossed." Rachel promised.  "And I'll keep my ears and eyes open around the neighborhood."

"Thanks, but I'm not sure we can afford to live in your neighborhood." Megan replied with a chuckle.

"Oh, please!" Rachel scoffed.  "You've got the money."

"That doesn't mean I want to spend it all on a house." Megan told her.  "Plus we have Scotty." She reminded Rachel.  "I want to find a house in a more...family-oriented neighborhood, you know?"

"Good point." Rachel nodded.  "Unfortunately." She grumbled.

Megan laughed.  "This isn't college, Ray.  We can't live together again." She said, reading Rachel's thoughts through the phone line.

Rachel pouted.  "I know." She sighed and Megan laughed again. 

"Have you talked to the loan officer yet?" Megan asked.

"No." Rachel replied.  "Tomorrow."

"Good luck." Megan told her.

"Thanks." Rachel smiled.  "I'll let you know how it goes.  So how's Hawaii?" She asked. 

"Incredible!" Megan sighed.

Rachel chuckled. "That good, huh?"

"Let's just say, we've had a hard time leaving the room." Megan admitted with a giggle and Rachel laughed.  "It's been like a second honeymoon.  This place is amazing!"

"Good." Rachel smiled.

"We're leaving in a little bit to go tour some of the volcanoes on the island." Megan continued. 

"Oooh!" Rachel exclaimed.  "That sounds a lot more fun that what I'm dealing with today.  How about we trade places?" She asked.  "You can come deal with JC and I can go lay on the beach in Hawaii, how does that sound?"

"What's wrong with JC?" Megan laughed.

"He's downstairs in his studio, pouting." Rachel rolled her eyes at JC's childish behavior.  He'd gone to bed angry last night and had been downstairs since waking up this morning.  She had tried going in to talk to him a few hours ago but had found the door locked.  Tempted to try and pick the lock, she had decided to just leave him alone and let him cool off.  At least he won't break anything in there. She thought.  Although technically he could, she knew he wouldn't-all that sound and recording equipment was too expensive to destroy in an irrational fit of anger.

"Why is he pouting?" Megan questioned.  "What did you do?" She teased.

"This time it wasn't me." Rachel promised. 

"What's going on?"

"He's upset about something Justin did.  Last night he threw a fit and told me he was pulling out of the reunion tour." Rachel replied.

"What does he mean, pulling out?" Megan asked.  "Is he serious?  Is he really pulling out?"

"I don't know." Rachel replied with a sigh.

"He can't pull out!"  Megan exclaimed.  "They haven't even started the tour yet!"

"I know." Rachel agreed. 

"They've already released their CD!" Megan continued.

"I know." Rachel replied.

"And they've been doing promotion for it!" Megan reminded her.

"I know, Megs!" Rachel chuckled, at her friend's insistence. "Believe me, I know."

"Well, have you talked to him about this?" Megan asked.

"Remember how he's locked himself down in the studio?" Rachel replied.  "I tried talking to him about it last night but...I've never seen him that upset before, Megs.  It was like...it was like he turned into this completely different person.  It was very Dr. Jekell and Mr. Hyde and kind of scary.  I thought we'd worked through all of his issues with Justin, but apparently not."

"What did Justin do?"

"He and Aubrey are planning on getting married on Valentine's Day." Rachel told her.

"Really?" Megan questioned.  "So soon?"

"Apparently." Rachel nodded.

"Hmmm..." She hummed as if in thought.  "And JC is upset about this because..."

"What I got out of him last night was that he is tired of Justin stealing everything away from him." Rachel told her.

"Stealing everything away from him?" Megan questioned.  "Does he want Aubrey?"

"I hope not." Rachel laughed.  "Otherwise we've got some bigger problems on our hands."

"Then what exactly is Justin stealing from him?" Megan asked.

"The spotlight?" Rachel guessed.  "Honestly...I don't know what's going through his head right now."

"Do you want me to have Jackson punch some sense into him again?" Megan asked.

Rachel laughed.  "Hmmm...tempting.  But no." She shook her head.  "He just needs some time to cool off and think things through.  He'll realize what a baby he's being and things will go back to normal in a few days."  I hope.  "Are you sure you don't want to trade places?" Rachel asked.

"Um...yeah." Megan replied.  "I'm sure.  I'm going to stay here with my husband, and you're going to stay there with your cranky fiancée."

"Fine." Rachel huffed in exaggerated irritation. 

Megan laughed. "Good luck, though." She offered.

"Thanks." Rachel replied.  I'm going to need it.

After ending the call with Megan, Rachel set her phone down on the coffee table, took a deep breath and stood up.  Enough is enough.  She thought.  Walking downstairs she made her way down the hall, finally stopping in front of the door to JC's home studio.  Raising her hand she knocked on the door. 

"Jace?" She called out.  Nothing.  She leaned forward, pressing her ear against the door, hoping to be able to hear something though she knew it wasn't likely.  JC had had that room soundproofed so well the house could explode around him and he'd never hear it.  "Jace?" She called out a little louder this time.  Still nothing. 

Rachel stood back and put her hands on her hips as she stood, glaring at the barrier separating her from what she wanted.  She raised her fist and began pounding on the door.  "Open this door, Joshua Scott Chasez, or you are sleeping on the couch for the next month!  This is ridiculous!  You need to stop pouting and we need to--"

She stepped back in surprise as he suddenly opened the door.  "To talk." She finished, looking up at him.  His eyes met hers and her heart fell as an unwelcome sense of déjà vu washed over her.  She'd seen that look on his face before and she suddenly cursed Justin though she knew it wasn't entirely his fault.  JC was holding on to his anger and resentment for reasons she didn't understand, but Rachel was determined to make him let go once and for all. 

"We need to talk." She told him.

"There's nothing to talk about." JC replied as he looked away from her--the lack of expression on his face and in his voice spurring her on.

"That's a big, fat lie if I've ever heard one." Rachel informed him.  "And I don't like it when you lie to me, Josh.  The choice is yours--you can either let me come in there and talk to me about what's going on in your head right now, or I'm going to take you downtown and have you admitted so you can get some professional help." JC looked back at her sharply.  "The choice is yours." She stated again.  "But either way you're going to have to talk."

~~~~~~

JC stood, looking at Rachel in silence for a few moments-her threat hanging in the air between them.  He wasn't entirely convinced she would really force him to talk to someone, but he didn't know if he wanted to take a chance and find out her threat wasn't empty.  He finally opened the door wider, allowing Rachel to step inside the room.  Nobody else was going to understand everything he was feeling and going through as much as she would.  And if she was serious about taking him to a shrink somewhere, he didn't really want it getting around that he was mentally unstable and unable to cope with life. 

JC shut the door to the studio and stood for a moment with his back to Rachel.  He could feel her eyes on him and finally turned to look at her.  She stood, watching him intently, and he swallowed the sudden nervousness he felt.  Walking over to the couch that sat against one wall, he sat down-his arms resting on his knees as he bent over.  Rachel sat down next to him, but he kept his eyes focused on his feet.

"What's going on, Jace?" Rachel asked softly.  "You and Justin have been friends since you were kids." She stated.  "I don't understand why you suddenly hate him."  JC remained quiet as she continued.  "Why does it matter so much that he's getting married in two weeks?"

JC rubbed his hands together, as he tried to put his thoughts and feelings into order.  He glanced over at Rachel and recognized the stubborn glint in her beautiful eyes--she wasn't going to let this go without a satisfactory answer and while part of him was scared to open up and tell her everything that had been going through his head the last couple weeks, another part of him was ready to let it all out.  He was tired of carrying it all around and wanted to be done with it once and for all.

Taking a deep breath he looked back at his hands and began talking. 

~~~~~~    

"My earliest memory is staying in shelter with my mother." JC began softly.  Rachel looked at him in surprise at his beginning statement.  "We move around a lot--apartment hopping--and often wound up in a homeless shelter somewhere." He continued.  "We never really had a place to call home or anything that was ours." He paused and Rachel quietly slipped her hand into his.  "When I was five, my mother finally reached out to Mom and Dad and asked them to take care of me.  She knew I needed to be able to go to school and that I needed to have a stable family and home--things she couldn't give me."

Rachel sat, looking at JC--stunned into silence.  To say she was shocked was an understatement.  He had never opened up to her about this part of his past before.  Yes, she knew he was adopted, but she'd never heard him speak about what life had been like for him before being taken in by Roy and Karen Chasez.  She knew this was a topic that was very personal to him and one he liked to keep private and she wondered why he was talking about it now.  What had happened to bring up these old memories and what was making him willing to talk about them?

"It wasn't until Mom and Dad adopted me that I had anything I could call mine." JC continued.  "And it took me a while to realize that the things I had weren't going to be taken away, or that I wasn't going to have to leave it all behind and move somewhere different in a few weeks.  I went from having nothing, to having everything, and it was a big adjustment for a little kid to make.  All my life, up until that point, I had been taught that nothing was permanent, that nothing lasts, and that sooner or later someone is going to show up or something is going to happen and its all going to be taken away from you."

Rachel put her free hand against her chest, her heart breaking for the little boy he used to be, and who he still was from time to time.  JC finally looked up at her.

"I don't think I've ever talked to anyone about this before." He confessed--the vulnerability in his blue eyes breaking her heart even more than his words were and she blinked back her sudden tears.  She bit her bottom lip to hide it's trembling as she reached up and combed her fingers through his hair, brushing it away from his face as she leaned towards him and pressed her lips to his cheek.  "Sometimes I still have nightmares about being back in one of those shelters." He admitted quietly.

Rachel let go of his hand as she put her arms around him, laying her head on his shoulder.  "Why haven't you talked to anyone about this before?" She asked him.

"I didn't want to." He told her.  "When I was adopted and I finally realized that I'd never have to go back to living on the streets, I...I pushed away all the thoughts and fears that used to be my constant companions."  He paused then continued quietly.  "You don't know how frightening it is as a child to live like that-to have no sense of stability--and when that changed I just wanted to forget about everything that had happened before.  The last thing I wanted to do was talk about it.  Besides," he told her.  "Like I said, everything was better now.  I had a home and a family.  I wasn't hungry anymore and I had clothes that were mine and a bed that I knew nobody else had ever slept in.  What did I need to go dredging up the past for?"

"What's changed?" Rachel asked.  She felt him tense up and she pulled back to look at him.  "Why are you talking about it now?" She questioned, watching him closely.

"Everything was fine." He told her.  "Until I met Justin.  The Club was my thing." He told her, the vulnerability from seconds before melting away as his anger began to build slowly.  "You know?  It was...it was something that I loved doing and it was the thing that helped me realize what it was I wanted to do with the rest of my life.  I wanted to perform.  I wanted to sing.  And everyday I got to do that.  I was on top of the world...and then Justin joined the group.  Before I realized it I was pushed to the background with everyone else while the spotlight was given to this kid who had more singing and acting ability in his little finger at the age of eleven than I have in my entire body now!" 

JC stood up suddenly and Rachel sat on the couch, watching as he began to pace back and forth.  She was amazed at the things she was hearing him say and couldn't imagine the weight that all this emotional baggage must have had on his soul for all of these years--but things were beginning to make sense and she was glad that he seemed intent to keep talking.  Thirty-three years of holding this all inside was coming to an end today.  She hoped that once everything was out in the open, and he'd said what he needed to say, he would be able to set it all aside and finally be able to leave the past in the past.

"It was frustrating, that everything came so easy to him, but you couldn't help but like the kid," JC continued, "He was funny and fun to be around and he was just someone you want to be around.  He became one of my best friends.  But then, what little spotlight I did have was taken away when the show was cancelled."

"Why did you work with him to put the group together if you were holding a grudge against him?" Rachel asked.

"I didn't really understand what I was feeling are what was going on." He told her.  "When he convinced me to put together a group with him I thought, here's my chance!  Here's my chance to show everyone what I can do!  And for the first little while it was great!  We had a long road starting out, and when things finally started rolling I was elected as kind of the spokesman for the group--mostly because I was the most serious one and I had the most singing parts--but pretty soon that changed.  Everyone started pushing for Justin to be the lead and I had to step back.  Justin was the funny one that everyone wanted to talk to.  Justin was the cute one that everyone wanted to take pictures of.  Justin was the talented one that was suddenly being labeled as the lead singer of the group.  Then he got offered the opportunity to do his own thing and left the group--once again taking something from me.  Only this time," JC held up a finger as he stopped and looked at Rachel.  "This time it was more.  He took away any chance I had at my own solo career."

Rachel opened her mouth to protest--to remind him that he had a solo career, but he stopped her.

"I know what you're going to say." He held up a finger.  "You're going to say that I'm wrong--that I did have a solo career--but it's not the career that I wanted it to be.  It's not the career that it could have been.  While Justin was singing and playing to sold out arenas, I was doing outside amphitheaters because who would you rather go see?  Me?" He asked, putting a hand to his chest.  "Or the guy who brought sexy back?  Then there was the whole ‘wardrobe malfunction,'" he made quotation marks in the air with his fingers, "And the fiasco that resulted from that."  JC sighed as he ran his hands through his hair.  "I'm sick of having things taken away from me." He stated.  "By him."

"Jace, I..." Rachel paused, unsure of how to respond to everything he'd just told her.  "He's not doing it on purpose."  She finally told him, feeling the need to stand up for Justin since he wasn't here to do it himself.

"I know." JC nodded. "And that's the most frustrating part of this whole thing!  He has no idea what the hell he's doing!  He's just...being Justin."  JC exclaimed as he sat down beside her once more.

Rachel was quiet for a moment, taking everything in.  "I don't understand." She finally said and JC looked over at her.  "If you've been holding all of this in all these years, why have you been working with him so hard to get the group back together?" 

"Because I thought maybe things would be different this time around." He admitted.

"Why would you think that?" She asked.  "What's changed?  Why would it have been different?"

"I don't know." JC shook his head.  "I don't know what I was thinking.  I guess...I guess I was hoping that I had changed.  That it had been long enough, and that I had put it behind me, but I guess not."

"So, what are you going to do about it?" She asked him.  He was quiet.  "You can't pull out, Jace." She told him.  "You signed a contract."  He remained quiet.  "And besides that, I've worked way too hard to get you all back together." She continued, hoping to make him laugh. His lips twitched up slightly and she smiled.  "I saw that." She told him and he looked at her.  Rachel put a hand to his face--her thumb caressing his cheek.  As she sat there, looking into his blue eyes, she felt another piece of the puzzle that was JC Chasez fall into place.  All of his insecurities involving Justin suddenly made sense.  All of the times he had freaked out when she had teased him about leaving him for Justin suddenly took on a different meaning.

Finally, she leaned forward and pressed her lips against his, needing to reassure him of one thing.  "Whatever you feel that Justin has taken from you over the years..." She began, pulling back just enough to look into his eyes.  "He's never going to take me away."  JC wrapped his arms around her tightly and Rachel wound her arms around his neck.  "Let them get married.  The press will die down, the tour will go on, and then we'll get married.  And our wedding," she told him.  "Is going to blow theirs out of the water!"  JC laughed.  "With them sneaking off to get married privately, ours is the one that everyone is going to be talking about."

"I love you, Sass." He whispered in her ear.  Rachel hugged him tightly for a moment then pulled back.  She put her hands on his face as she kissed him again.  She wanted to suggest that he talk to someone about all of the feelings he had been holding on to and keeping silent about for all of these years, but she knew he wouldn't do it.  That would require opening up about his private life to someone he didn't know and that wasn't something this man did.  You had to earn his trust.

"Are you going to stay in the group?" Rachel asked. 

He was quiet for a moment then, "Yes." He nodded. 

"Is Justin still going to be your best man?" Rachel questioned. 

JC sighed.  "He has to be." He replied.  Rachel's brows furrowed in question as she looked at him.  "The only other option is Tyler." He told her.  "He's my brother and I love him, but I'm not sure him I trust him with that." He replied, a teasing glint in his eyes.  Rachel smiled; relieved to see his mood was improving. 

"Are you going to stop throwing tantrums and acting like a child whenever Justin does something you don't like?"

"I do not throw tantrums." JC insisted. 

"Um...remember that lamp you broke last night?" Rachel asked him and he scowled at her.  "That was a tantrum."  She laughed as he tightened his arms around her suddenly and swung her around, pulling her onto his lap. 

"No more tantrums." He promised her, brushing his nose against hers before placing several quick kisses to her lips. 

"I'm going to hold you to that." Rachel informed him, returning each kiss.

JC's lips moved across her jaw and Rachel sunk her fingers into his dark hair.  His hands circled her waist as he kissed her ear.  "Ever made love in a recording studio before?" He asked, changing the subject suddenly. 

Rachel pulled back and looked at him in surprise then shook her head.  "You're the first musician I've ever been with." She reminded him. 

"Then I think it's about time I introduce you to the experience." He replied with a seductive grin.  JC pulled her back to him--his lips once more finding her ear.  Rachel shivered, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth to keep from moaning out loud.  "And do you want to know the best part about it?" He asked, his sinful mouth continuing to tease her.  "You can be as loud as you want," he breathed, his warm breath fanning against her neck, "and nobody can hear you." 

"Joshua Chasez!" Rachel scolded, putting her hands on his chest and pushing back from him.  "How many other women have you seduced this way?" She asked him and he chuckled.  "How many other women have been in here with you?" She narrowed her eyes as she looked at him closely.  "Nevermind," she said quickly at the look in his blue eyes.  "I don't think I want to know the answer to that question." 

JC put both hands on her face as he looked at her.  "It's in the past." He told her.  "And it doesn't matter.  What matters is that you're the only one who's going to be in here with me from now on."  A slow smile spread across her face as she read the honesty in his blue eyes.  "Now," he said, capturing her mouth with his.  "Let's make some noise."              

~~~~~~

"Absolutely not!" Lynn Harless exclaimed, putting her hands on her hips as she stood looking at her son and his fiancée Tuesday evening.  "I'm not going to let you two make a mistake of this magnitude."

"You're not going to let me?" Justin asked, folding his arms across his chest.  "You're not going to let me?  I'm twenty-eight, Ma!  I think I can make my own decisions and this isn't a mistake." He continued, putting an arm around Aubrey.

Lynn watched as Aubrey looked back and forth between mother and son--indecision was clearly written all over the younger woman's face--and she sighed.  She knew her son.  She knew how charming and convincing Justin could be when he wanted to be.  And she knew that, while she may love him, Aubrey was not ready to marry Justin.  The confusion in Aubrey's eyes said it all.

"Yes it is." Lynn nodded.  "You two are not ready to get married and if you would look at your fiancée there, Justin," she said pointed at Aubrey, "and talk to her, you would see that I'm right."

Justin turned his blue eyes to Aubrey and Lynn watched them for a moment.  "I'm going to go check on the laundry." She told the couple.  "And when I come back, I don't want to hear anymore crazy talk about you two getting married next weekend, ya hear?"

~~~~~~

Aubrey tried not to squirm uncomfortably as Justin continued to study her intently.

"Did you change your mind?" He finally asked.  Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she looked up at him.  "Aubrey?" He asked, clearly expecting, and needing, an answer. 

Aubrey let out a sigh as she looked around the kitchen.  Her eyes landed on the door leading out to the back yard and took his hand--pulling him outside.  "Why isn't anybody happy about this, Justin?" She asked him as they stepped outside and stood on the back porch.

"What are you talking about?"

"What do you mean, what am I talking about?" Aubrey asked in disbelief.  "Were you not just in there with me listening to your mother yelling at us?" She asked, pointing towards the house.  "Everyone that I've told has reacted the exact same way!"  She watched as Justin blew out a breath and turned from her.  He stood, looking out across the yard, and Aubrey stood, looking at him.  "Maybe we're making a mistake." She told him, slipping her hand into his. 

Justin looked down at their entwined fingers and then up into her eyes.  "Do you love me?" He asked.

"You know the answer to that question." Aubrey replied. 

"Do you want to marry me?"

"Yes." Aubrey assured him.  "Just...not under these circumstances." She told him.  "All I've gotten the last couple days has been shock and disappointment."  She paused.  "Nobody is happy about this.  I haven't even told my parents yet because I'm afraid of what they're going to say and how they're going to react.  I don't think I can handle one more person telling me I'm crazy and calling me insane." 

Justin turned and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her against him.  Aubrey put her arms around his waist and laid her head against his chest-listening to the beat of his heart.  Justin lowered his head-his chin resting against her forehead.  "What do you want?" Justin asked.  "Tell me what you want and I'll do it."

Aubrey pulled back to look up at him.  "I want to marry you." She told him.  "But I also want our families and friends to be happy and supportive about it."

"And that means waiting." He stated as he lifted one hand--tucking her hair behind one ear.

Aubrey took a deep breath.  "And that means waiting." She nodded.  She closed her eyes as he leaned his forehead against hers. 

"How long?" He asked.  Aubrey opened her eyes and looked at him. 

"I don't know." She replied honestly. 

"You're always making me wait." He stated with a teasing sparkle in his blue eyes.

Aubrey smiled, a sense of relief lifting the weight of talking to him about this from her shoulders.  "But it's worth it in the end, isn't it?" She asked. 

Justin chuckled as he pressed his lips against her.  "Yes." He sighed.  "Damn it." He muttered under his breath, causing Aubrey to laugh.  "So far..." he bobbed his head back and forth as if thinking it over. "It's been worth the wait." He finally relented with a smile.

"And so will this." She assured him as she put a hand against his chest.  She leaned up on her toes slightly and kissed him.  "Trust me."

End Notes:
tell me what you think...
Chapter 8 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
this week's update is a little early because the rest of the week is going to be CRAZY for me! 
"Justin!"

Aubrey let go of Justin's hand Tuesday evening as he put his arms around a tall, skinny teenager. 

"Hey, Jon!" Justin greeted his brother.  Aubrey stood back, watching the two in front of her-a smile on her face.  She knew that Justin and Jonathan had different mothers but the resemblance between the two of them was more than evident.  There was no doubt these two were brothers.

"Who's the babe?" Jonathan asked, looking over Justin's shoulder at Aubrey.  Justin smacked the back of his head and Aubrey felt her cheeks warm as two sets of Timberlake Blue eyes looked at her.

"This is Aubrey." Justin informed his brother as he reached for her hand.   "The woman I'm going to be marrying--and your future sister-in-law--so you better apologize and show her some respect."

"Sorry." Jonathan apologized to Aubrey.  "It's nice to meet you." He said, extending his hand.  "I'm Jon, the better looking Timberlake brother." He said, puffing out his chest a bit.

"Hi." Aubrey replied with a chuckle as she shook the boy's hand.

Justin snorted in derision beside her.  "The most conceited, he means." He corrected the seventeen year-old under his breath.

"I wouldn't be too sure about that." Aubrey teased, turning to look at her fiancée.

Justin released her hand and put his hands on his hips as he looked over at her.  He narrowed his eyes as he pointed a finger at Aubrey.  "Watch it." He cautioned.

"Or what?" Aubrey asked with a grin.  "You don't scare me."

"Or you ain't getting none of this, girl." Justin waved a hand down his body then cocked his hip to the side as he snapped his fingers. "Mmm-hmm, that's right.  You heard me."

Aubrey laughed.  Leaning up on her toes she pressed a quick kiss to Justin's cheek. 

"Ahem." Jonathan cleared his throat.  Justin and Aubrey turned to look at him.

"Are Dad and Lisa inside?" Justin asked, changing the subject as he put his arm around Aubrey's shoulders.

"Yeah." Jonathan nodded then turned towards the door.  "Come on.  Mom said dinner was almost ready."

Aubrey's stomach fluttered nervously as Justin lowered his arm from around her shoulders and she followed him and Jonathan inside--the pressure of meeting the rest of his family eating at her. Relax. She told herself as they walked farther into the house.  It's no big deal.  Just relax.  They walked into the kitchen and Jonathan announced that they were there.

"Justin!" A middle aged woman with shoulder length auburn hair exclaimed as she turned from her place at the counter.  She greeted Justin with a big smile and a hug. 

"Hey, Lisa." Justin greeted his step-mom. 

"And you must be Aubrey." Lisa smiled at her and gave Aubrey a hug as well.  "Welcome!" 

"Thank you." Aubrey smiled as Lisa pulled back-her nervousness from moments ago dissolving in the face of Lisa's genuinely warm reception. 

"We've been waiting for you two to get here." Lisa continued as she turned back to the counter and picked up a bowl.  "Your dad and Steven are out back grilling," she told Justin.  "But the steaks should be almost done.  Come sit down.  Jon," She asked as she began walking away.  "Grab the salad from the fridge, will you?"

"Yes, ma'am." The teenager answered. 

Aubrey watched as the woman disappeared around the corner and smiled.  This was what she loved about Justin-he was normal.  Yes, he was worth more than she could calculate at the moment, and his face and voice were recognized around the world, but take all of that away and he was just a normal guy, with a normal family.  No pretenses, no superiority complexes, no judging, just regular people ready to welcome her in with no questions asked.

Justin took her hand, interrupting her thoughts and Aubrey looked over at him.  "Come on."  He said, giving her hand a tug.  "I'm starving."

~~~~~~

"Lord we thank you for this food.  We thank you for the bounty that is ours and for the love we share.  We thank you, Lord, for Aubrey..." 

Aubrey's head lifted and she opened her eyes in surprise as Justin's father mentioned her name in the blessing he was giving.  Justin squeezed her hand beneath the table and she looked over at him--their eyes meeting.  He gave her a quick wink then bowed his head again as his father continued.  

"We are blessed to have her as a part of our family now and ask that you watch over her.  Amen."

"Amen." Aubrey answered quietly.

"Amen." The chorus of echoes went around the table and Justin gave her hand another squeeze before he let go.  A strange feeling washed over her.  Nobody had ever prayed for her before.  Who were these people?  She wondered.  She turned to look at Justin.  Are you for real? She wanted to ask.  

"Have you two set a date yet?" Justin's father asked, pulling Aubrey from her thoughts.  She turned to look at him as he reached for the bowl of mashed potatoes. Her eyes slid back over to Justin wondering if he was having the same thoughts as she was--wondering what his family's reactions would be if they hadn't changed their plans last night.  His blue eyes held hers for a moment before he answered.

"Not yet." Justin answered.  "But hopefully soon." He continued, tearing his eyes from hers to look at his dad.  He smiled and Randy nodded as he passed the potatoes to Aubrey.

"Thank you." She told him, taking a helping and then passing them on.

"So, Aubrey," Lisa began from where she sat across the table from her.  "Justin told us you're going to school right now."  Aubrey nodded.  "What's your major?" Lisa asked. 

"Elementary Education." Aubrey answered as she continued to fill her plate. 

"She's going to be a Kindergarten teacher." Justin supplied proudly and Aubrey smiled as she looked at him. 

"That's great!" Lisa replied.  "Are you graduating this semester then?"

"No." Aubrey shook her head.

"How much longer do you have?" Randy asked.

"Too long." Aubrey replied with a chuckle.  "I've only been able to take a few classes at a time so it's taking me longer than usual." She explained. 

"Well, that's okay." Lisa assured her with a smile.  "Everybody has their own road in life and the path they're supposed to take.  At least you're working towards a degree--that's more than a lot of people can say right now."

"Yeah, look at Justin." Jonathan piped up.  "He didn't even graduate high school!" He teased.  Twelve-year-old Steven giggled from his place at the end of the table.

"Yes, I did!" Justin countered, flicking a piece of his dinner roll across the table at each of his brothers.

"Justin." Randy said firmly from his place at the head of the table.  Aubrey looked back and forth between father and son shared a tense and silent look. 

"Sorry." Justin mumbled, putting his roll back on his plate.  "I did graduate." He said, turning to look at Aubrey.  "It may not have been in the most traditional way," he looked at Jonathan pointedly then turned back to Aubrey.  "But I did.  I can have Mom show you my diploma when we get home." He continued.

"It's okay." Aubrey laughed.  "I believe you." She promised. 

"Is your family in California, Aubrey?" Randy asked, changing the subject.

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "Just my grandmother." She continued as she took a bite of her dinner.  "That's who I'm living with right now.  My parents and brother are in Virginia..."

Aubrey told Justin's family about her family and dinner progressed with easy conversation and teasing banter between Justin, Steven and Jonathan.  Randy and Lisa Timberlake continued to ask her questions, genuinely interested in getting to know the woman who was engaged to their son and step-son, and told Aubrey about themselves and their family.  She laughed as Justin and his brothers teased and played with each other through the meal and watched as her fiancee seemed to transform before her eyes.  He had gone from a world famous celebrity and pop star to just a brother and son in the last hour.  He may be comfortable up on stage, performing in front of thousands, but this was his element.  He was home and she was finally getting to see the real Justin Timberlake-a man that only a few chosen people had the honor of knowing. 

By the time they were ready to leave, Aubrey could hear a very subtle Southern drawl creep into his voice--which she thought was incredibly sexy--and she wondered what he would have been if he hadn't have grown up to be The Justin Timberlake.  What had he dreamed about being when he was a kid?  What had his answer been to the question that everyone asks, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Aubrey pushed her thoughts aside, though, as Justin took her hand and they said their good-byes--promising to come over again before they left at the end of the week.  Without Justin being who he was, they never would have met and she probably would be married to Andrew right now.  She shivered at that thought.

"Are you cold?" Justin asked as they walked towards the big black truck he had rented at the airport. 

"Nope." Aubrey shook her head as she smiled up at him.  "I'm perfect."

"Well, I can't argue with that." Justin smiled as he released her hand--putting his arm around her shoulders as he pulled her against his side.  "You are pretty damn perfect."

Aubrey chuckled as she put an arm around his waist.  "Your family is really great." She told him as they stopped in front of the truck and he opened the door for her. 

"Yeah, they are." He smiled as he looked back at the house they had just left. 

"You're very lucky." Aubrey continued.

"So are you." He told her as he looked down at her.  "They're your family now, too." Aubrey smiled.  "And if, God forbid, anything should happen between us, I'm sure that Jon would step up to keep you in the family."

"What?" Aubrey asked with a laugh.

"Oh, I saw they way he was looking at you during dinner." Justin teased, his blue eyes sparkling.  "I think you've captured another Timberlake heart, Aubrey Janae."

Aubrey rolled her eyes, though she smiled and could feel her cheek warm.  "He's seventeen."

"Which is a lot closer in age to you than I am." Justin countered.

"What are you saying?" She asked, looking at him in question.

"Nothing." He shook his head and shrugged-appearing to act innocent, but she could still see the mischief in his eyes.  "I'm just pointing out the facts, that's all."

"Hmmm..." she hummed, pretending she was thinking it over.  "You're right." She nodded.  "He is closer in age..." Justin's smile disappeared and his brows furrowed as he watched her and Aubrey smiled.  "Good thing I like older men." She told him.  "Always have." She went up on her toes and kissed him.  "Always will." 

Justin put his hands on her face as he kissed her fully. Aubrey melted against him and was just getting into the heated exchange when he released her suddenly and turned her away from him.  "Get in the truck, woman." He told her playfully slapping her rear end as he helped her up into the cab.  "I'm getting cold standing out here and there's a warm bed at home calling my name." 

Aubrey laughed as she got into the vehicle and he shut the door.  She watched as Justin walked around the front of the truck and smiled as he opened his door and sat down beside her.  "Can I tell you something?" She asked as he started the truck.  She slid across the bench seat towards him and Justin turned to look at her.  "Your accent is cute."

"What accent?" He asked turning to look over his shoulder as he pulled away from the curb.

"It's subtle." She told him.  "But it wasn't there yesterday when we left L.A.  This is a different side of you I haven't seen before." Her lips turned up in a smile as her eyes roamed over his profile.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as Justin turned to look at her briefly before turning his eyes back to the road. 

"And what do you think of  this ‘different side'?" He asked, glancing back and forth between her and the road.  Aubrey's smile widened. 

"I love it." She breathed as she leaned closer and kissed his cheek.   Justin smiled and Aubrey settled against him.  Slipping her hand into his, she threaded their fingers together, and laid her head against his shoulder as he drove.  "What do you think you would be doing right now," she asked, her mind returning to her earlier thoughts.  "If you hadn't gotten into the entertainment business?"

~~~~~~

Justin thought about Aubrey's question for a moment--silence filling the space between them.  "Uh..." He cleared his throat, watching the road in front of them. "I don't know." He answered honestly. 

"Come on." Aubrey prodded, nudging his shoulder with hers.  "What did you want to be when you grew up?" She looked up at him with a smile.

"Honestly?" Justin asked.  "Music has been my thing since before I can remember.  Dad was the choir director at church so I was introduced to it from the beginning.  I guess you can say it's in my blood.  I remember being teased about it when I was younger." He admitted.

"You were teased?" Aubrey asked.  Justin nodded.  "Why?"

"Because I didn't fit in." He told her.  "Before everything happened and I got the spot on MMC, I was the weird kid at school who didn't like football." He chuckled.  "I was kind of a loner."

"Really?" She asked.  He turned to look at her and nodded at the disbelief on her face.

"Really." He said.  "I guess...I guess if I hadn't been given the chance to do what I'm doing now...I probably would have stayed here and become like the music teacher at the high school or something." He paused, his mind wandering down some of the different paths he could have taken in life.  It had been a while since he'd thought about all the different possibilities life could have offered him.

"Do you think you would have been happy doing that?" Aubrey asked, pulling him from his thoughts.

"Maybe." Justin answered.  "It's hard to say, but I think..." He thought about it for a moment.  Would he have been happing doing that?  Staying here and being a music teacher?  "Yeah." He nodded.  "Yeah, I think I would have been happy.  Why?" He asked as he turned into his mother's driveway.

"I was just curious." Aubrey replied with a shrug and a smile.  "It's kind of fun to think about ‘what if?'"

"Except that we wouldn't have ever met." Justin reminded her.  "So in that regard it's not that much fun to think about it."

Aubrey smiled and gave his fingers a squeeze.  "It could have happened." She told him.  "You never know.  I could have finished my degree and decided to take a teaching job here.  We could have run into each other at a district meeting or something."

"Hmmm...I like that scenario." Justin smiled as he turned off the truck.

"Would you have asked me out without Rachel around interfering?" She asked as they both got out and began walking towards the front door. 

"I told you that I thought you were cute the first time we met." He replied.

Aubrey stopped and turned to looked at him, putting one hand on her hip. "Thinking I'm cute and asking me out are two entirely different things." She reminded him.  "Be honest." She told him.  "Would you have asked me out if someone like Rachel wasn't around meddling?"

"Yes." Justin nodded.  Aubrey raised one eyes brow as she looked to him.  "Eventually."  He admitted a bit sheepishly.

"That's what I thought." Aubrey replied with a smile and a shake of her head.  She turned to start walking again but Justin reached out, placing a hand on her arm to stop her.

"Okay, so maybe it would have taken a few district meetings for me to work up the nerve," he admitted. "But I would have eventually asked you out." He assured her. 

Aubrey put one hand on his face as she leaned up and kissed him. "You don't think you would have already been married to somebody else?" She asked as she took his hand and they began walking again towards the front door.  "Your high school sweetheart, perhaps?"

"Well, I don't know for sure." Justin answered.  "But no--at least I hope not." He smiled as he took her hand again.  "But let's not focus on ‘what if' anymore." He continued.  "I like things just the way they are." He told her.  "And I don't want anything to change.  Except for your last name." He grinned and Aubrey laughed.  They came to a stop on the front porch and Justin just stood--looking at her.  Aubrey looked up at him with her beautiful eyes and he reached a hand out, tucking her hair behind her ear--one question coming to mind.

"If I had been the high school music teacher and we had met at that meeting...would you have married me next weekend?" He asked.

"Maybe." Aubrey replied as she took a step closer to him--closing the space between them.  She put her arms around his neck and leaned up on her toes to kiss him.  "Anything's possible when you're pretending."

~~~~~~

"I don't think I really buy you as a high school teacher." Aubrey stated later that night as she crawled up on the bed in the room she and Justin were staying in at his mom and step-dad's house.

"Why not?" Justin asked, flopping down on the mattress beside her. 

"I don't know." She replied, crossing her legs beneath her as she turned to face him.  "I just...have a hard time seeing it for some reason."

"What do you see?" He asked as he put his hands beneath his head and stretched out his long legs.  Aubrey's eyes traveled over his body in appreciation before meeting his eyes once more.  Sometimes he was far too tempting for his own good!  Justin grinned smugly at her, a knowing gleam in his eyes, and she unfolded her legs--pushing at his hip with one foot.

"I don't know..." She chuckled.

"What do you see?" He asked again.  "I'm curious now."

Aubrey pulled her legs beneath her again as she chewed on her bottom lip in thought.  She cocked her head to the side as she studied him.  "A bartender?" She guessed.

"A bartender?!" Justin exclaimed with a laugh.  "Really?" He asked, one eyebrow raising in question.

"Well," Aubrey began.  "You are a restaurant owner...a bartender isn't that different and hard to believe, is it?" She asked with a laugh.

"I guess not." He conceded.  "Is that all you see me doing?" He asked.  "Working in a bar somewhere?"

"Well, I'm sure you'd find time to go golfing once in a while with your parents." She teased.

"And?" He prodded with a chuckle.

"And..." She drawled.  "I can see you trying to break into the music industry.

"Yeah?" He asked with a grin.

"Yeah." Aubrey nodded.  "But I'm not sure that making the rounds at all the karaoke bars is going to get you the big break you're looking for."

"And what kind of music do you see me playing at these karaoke bars?" Justin questioned.

"Mmmm..." Aubrey mused.  "Country." She smiled as Justin rolled his eyes.  "I can see you--looking pretty hot I might add--up on that stage with just your voice and a guitar..." She trailed off at the mental image in her head of her fiancée--savoring the idea. 

Justin moved--sitting up and rolling off the bed--and Aubrey watched as he walked towards the closet.  "A guitar like this?" He asked, pulling out an acoustic guitar.

"Yeah." Aubrey nodded with a smile.  "That's the one.  Where did you..."

"I keep it here for when I come to visit." Justin told her as he walked back towards the bed and sat down on the edge--propping the instrument on his knee.  "You never know when inspiration is going to hit."  She watched as he spent a few seconds tuning the guitar then put his fingers on the frets and strummed a few chords.  He closed his eyes as he began humming out a song she didn't recognize-goose bumps breaking over her as he began to sing. 

When the ground beneath you starts a-shakin'
And you forget the place we came from
When you're lost and lookin' for you're way home
You're way home to me
I'll come out and find you
When the world around you starts a-movin'
And you should wonder if I still love you
If you feel the darkness comin', risin' inside
I'll make a light to guide you back home

And after all the sky is fallin' down
And after all the water's washed away
My love's the only promise that remains

When your doubts have got you thinkin'
Nothing's ever really sacred
And you're afraid you might believe in...
Believe in me  
  

Aubrey watched Justin in awe as he continued to sing to her-her stomach quivering as his eyes met hers.  She'd listened to him sing before--on CDs, on the few talk shows he'd been on with the rest of the guys since they'd gotten back together, and he was always singing to himself either at home or in the car-but this was the first time he had sung specifically to her; with nothing but a guitar and his beautiful, clear voice.  She wondered why he hadn't done more songs like this one in his career.  Songs that really showcased the talent he possessed.

And after all the sky is fallin' down
And after all the water's washed away
My love's the only promise that remains

The last note faded away and Aubrey sat, looking at him in awe.  "That was amazing!" She breathed.  "Did you just make that up?" She asked.

"No." He shook his head as he turned--setting the guitar down against the wall.  "You told me you saw me as a country artist....that was a song I wrote and did with Reba a few years ago for her Duets album.  What'd you think?" He asked turning back to look at her.

Aubrey put her hands on his face--kissing him warmly.  "One way or another," she said, pulling back to look at him.  "You would have been a musician." She told him.  "You're right.  It's in your blood.  It's who you are." She finished, feeling a twinge of jealousy.  She didn't feel like she could say the same thing about herself and she envied him the fact that he was so comfortable and confident in who he was and what he wanted in life.  While Aubrey knew that teaching was what she wanted to do, lately she'd begun to wonder who she was as a person.  She didn't feel like she could answer that question with any sense of certainty.  And it made her wonder--about herself and about their relationship.  How could Justin be so sure that she was what he wanted when she wasn't sure of even who she was? 

Justin's blue eyes held hers steadily as he sat looking at her.  Without a word he lifted both of his hands--brushing his fingers through her hair before pulling her in for another kiss.  Aubrey closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck as she fully participated in the warm and passionate exchange--allowing him to push the questions from her mind as he laid her back against the pillows.  She was trying so hard not to dwell on the insecurities she felt that she almost forgot where they were.

Almost.

"Justin!" She exclaimed, pushing him away suddenly.

"What?" He asked, looking down at her in confusion--a dazed look in his eyes.

"We can't do this here!" She insisted.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Because." She replied, exasperated that he didn't see the inappropriateness of the situation.  "We can't have...we can't do this in your parent's house!"

"Why not?" He asked again.

"What if..." Aubrey trailed off and looked at him, silently willing him to understand what she was saying so she wouldn't have to say the words.  She rolled her eyes and blew out a frustrated breath as he continued to just look at her uncomprehendingly.  "What if they hear us?" She asked.

Justin began laughing.  "You plannin' on screamin' out my name tonight, baby?" He asked with a cocky grin on his face.

Aubrey slapped his chest.  "Not now." She told him as she pushed him off of her and rolled over to the edge of the bed.

"Awe, come on." Justin pled as he reached out for her and pulled her back to him.  "I can be quiet, if you can be quiet." He challenged, wrapping his arms around her from behind.  Aubrey shivered involuntarily as his warm breath caressed her neck

"No." She told him.

"No?" He asked, his lips brushing softly against the sensitive skin below her ear.  "Are you sure?" He breathed, one of his hands beginning to wander as he gripped her hip then moved down her leg.

"No." Aubrey echoed, barely holding onto her sanity.  "I mean yes!" She quickly corrected herself.  Justin nipped at her earlobe playfully and she bit her lip to keep in the moan that wanted to escape.

"See." He prodded quietly.  "You can keep quiet." 

Aubrey wanted to turn around and wipe the smirk from his face that she could hear in his voice but stayed put.  She knew that turning around would be her undoing.  Justin would have full access to every one of her weakness when it came to him if she did that.  Instead she shook her head.  "Not here." She told him. 

"We're going to be here for a week." He reminded her-his hand becoming bolder.  Aubrey released a tiny whimper, though she fought hard to keep it in.  "Are you sure?" He asked again.  She closed her eyes and nodded.  Though her body was begging her to give in to him, she couldn't.  She couldn't give in to him and allow him to love her knowing that his parents were only a few rooms away! 

"Damn it!" Justin exclaimed quietly as he released her and turned on his back.  Aubrey chanced a look over her shoulder at him.  "I really need to get my own house out here." He murmured.  His eyes met hers and she smiled sympathetically at the frustration written all over his face.  "Either that or we're getting a hotel room for a couple of nights."

"I'm sorry." Aubrey offered turning and snuggling up to his side.  "I just...can't."

"It's okay." Justin replied pulling her closer as her placed a kiss to the top of her head. 

"No, it's not." Aubrey shook her head.  "I'm always pushing you away and telling you no--that we have to wait.  I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Justin assured her.  "I'll survive." He smiled.  "This isn't the first time I've gone to bed sexually frustrated because of you." He teased and Aubrey could feel her cheeks warm. 

"I'm sorry." Aubrey apologized again.  "You don't deserve this." She shook her head in self recrimination.  What kind of a girlfriend and fiancee was she?  He didn't deserve everything she put him through and he didn't deserve always being rejected and pushed away.  "You should--"

"Kiss me." Justin interrupted her as he turned on his side.  Aubrey looked at him in question.  "Kiss me." He said again.  "We haven't made out in a while." He continued.  "There's a lot to be said for just kissing." He grinned.  "And I do love kissing you." 

Aubrey continued to just look at him for a moment--her question from earlier at dinner coming to mind.  Are you for real?  She wanted to ask.  What kind of man was okay to settle for simply kissing when there was so much more he wanted to do?

"Kiss me, Aubrey Janae." Justin commanded quietly, his blue eyes scorching her with their heat.

Aubrey leaned forward and pressed her lips against his--the kiss slowly building in passion and intensity as their lips blended together perfectly.  If Justin knew one thing, it was how to kiss her.  He knew how much pressure to put in to it, how to slant his lips at the perfect angle, and when to release and give her time to catch her breath.  Aubrey ran her fingers through his short hair as she wrapped her arms around his neck and allowed him to once more press her back against the pillows.  One of his hands rested at the back of her head--his fingers massaging her scalp as they worked to move her into whatever position he wanted and needed--while his other hand rested on her hip

"Justin..." She breathed as his mouth released her own for a few brief seconds.

"I'm here." He answered as he placed several feather soft kisses along her jaw line.

"I love you." She told him, forcing her eyes open to look at him.  "Don't ever leave me." She stated, suddenly needing his reassurance that her insecurities from earlier were unfounded; that no matter what, he wouldn't walk away one day.

"Never." He vowed and sealed his promise with a heated and driven kiss--leaving Aubrey completely breathless and tingling from head to foot.  "Never."      

~~~~~~

"The wedding's off?" Rachel exclaimed as she and Aubrey sat, having lunch a week later back in California. 

"Postponed." Aubrey corrected, dipping a chip into the salsa sitting on the table and putting it in her mouth. 

"I should have kept my mouth shut." Rachel murmured under her breath as she picked up her diet Coke and took a sip.  I shouldn't have said anything. She thought, thinking back to everything that had transpired between herself and JC since she'd told him of Aubrey and Justin's hurried wedding.  If she had just kept quiet, he wouldn't have gotten so angry and upset.  But he also wouldn't have opened up like he did.  She reminded herself. 

"What?" Aubrey asked, bringing her from her thoughts.

"Nothing." Rachel shook her head.  She couldn't change the past, and all things considered, she was glad that it had finally forced JC to open up to her and talk about his past.  "Why are guys postponing it?" She asked, picking up a chip and dipping it in the salsa.

"We talked about it." Aubrey told her.  "And decided that now's not the right time."

Rachel sat, looking at Aubrey for a moment in amazement.  "You're my hero." She told the other girl.

"What?" Aubrey chuckled, confused.

"I don't know how you do it." Rachel continued, shaking her head.  "How in the hell do you say no to him?!" She asked, unable to comprehend her friend and the relationship she had with Justin.  Aubrey looked at her in confusion.  "I gotta tell ya," Rachel said, leaning across the table.  "I love JC, with all my heart, but there have been a few times when that man of yours has turned his charm on me..." Rachel trailed off with a sigh--the memory of the first time she'd met, and danced with, Justin at the club JC had taken her to for her birthday a few years ago coming to mind. "I don't know how you're able to withstand that!  How do you have the will power and self-restraint to tell him no?"

"I think the fact that I was going to marry him this upcoming weekend is evidence that I don't always tell him no." Aubrey chuckled.

Rachel laughed.  "True." She nodded.  "But how did you get him to change his mind?" She asked.  "From what I know about Justin, and from what I've observed, he's very stubborn.  When he sets his mind on something he goes after it a hundred and ten percent."

"We talked about it.  I told him I wasn't sure it was a good idea and he asked me what I wanted to do." Aubrey replied.  "He told me whatever I wanted, he would do and I told him I wanted to wait."

Rachel lifted one brow as she looked at Aubrey.  She chuckled as she shook her head.  "I told him." She remarked feeling a smug sense of satisfaction and wishing Justin were there so she could rub it in his face.

"Huh?" Aubrey questioned, her brows furrowed in question. 

"Before you two met," Rachel began.  "Justin made some comment about how JC and I were so cute together we made him sick." She smiled at the memory.  "I turned to him and told him that one day he was going to meet a girl who would turn his whole world upside down and he was going to find himself in the middle of sickeningly sweet relationship, and loving every second of it."  Aubrey smiled and Rachel chuckled.  "Oh, how the mighty have fallen!" She teased.  "Who knew I was so good at predicting the future?" She mused and Aubrey laughed.  "So realistically," Rachel asked.  "When do you think you guys are really going to get married?"

"I don't know." Aubrey shrugged.  "I think...we're probably going to wait until after the tour is over.  We're not making any plans right now." She answered. 

Rachel nodded, sitting back as the waitress came to deliver their food.  "Can I ask you another completely unrelated question?" Rachel asked as she picked up her fork and took a bite of her taco salad.

"Sure." Aubrey replied, cutting into her chicken burrito and taking a bite.

"How come you're only going to school part-time?"

~~~~~~

Aubrey looked at Rachel as she chewed the bite she'd just taken.  "Because I can't afford to go full-time." She replied.  Hadn't they already had this conversation? She thought, trying to think back, but she couldn't remember. 

"That's what I don't understand." Rachel continued, reaching for a chip and popping it into her mouth.  "Your dad's in the Army, aren't there a million scholarships out there that you can get because of that?"

"If you're going full-time." Aubrey nodded. 

"What's stopping you from going full-time?" Rachel asked, as she took another bite of her food. 

Aubrey looked at her for a moment.  She could see the wheels spinning in Rachel's head and wondered what she was thinking--what she was trying to get at.  "My car payment." Aubrey replied.  "And my insurance."  She took a sip of her water and another bite of her burrito.  "Plus I help Grams out with grocery money and I have a couple credit cards that I've had to use in the past and I'm working on paying off.  Why?" She asked.

"How much do you need each month to pay your bills?" Rachel questioned.

"Um..." Aubrey thought about it for a moment.  "To just pay the bills?" Aubrey asked.  Rachel nodded.  "Seven hundred." She replied. 

"And what do you think your schedule would be if you were going to school full time?" Rachel asked.

"I'd probably be in class from eight to twelve every day." Aubrey answered.  "Rachel...what's going on?" She asked, completely confused. 

Rachel smiled as she put down her fork.  "I'd like to make you a proposition." She began. 

"A proposition?" Aubrey echoed.  "What kind of a proposition?" She looked at her friend in question. 

"I'd like to offer you a job." Rachel stated and Aubrey looked at her in surprise. 

"A job?" Aubrey asked.

Rachel nodded.  "You can work from one to six Monday through Friday--with a possible, occasional weekend every now and then depending on what events we have going on--and I'll pay you twelve dollars an hour.  That'll give you more than what you need for your expenses and give you time to go to school full time so you can finally be done with your degree.  What do you say?" Rachel asked.

Aubrey sat in shock as she looked across the table at Rachel-everything she had just been offered running through her head.  "What would I be doing?" She asked, needing to have all the details so she could make an informed decision.

"Basically what you're doing now." Rachel told her.  "I know you don't want to be a receptionist your entire life, but I need someone to be there to answer the phone and make appointments and help with all the little projects that come up.  Plus I think it would be really fun to be able to work together again and you'd be doing me a huge favor." Rachel smiled, looking at her with a hopeful expression.

"Can I think about it?" Aubrey asked, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth.  It was tempting to jump at the offer, but she wanted to really think about it.  Rachel nodded. "When would you need an answer?" She asked. 

"As soon as you have one." Rachel smiled. 

"Okay." Aubrey replied.  "I'll let you know in a few days."

"Great!" Rachel exclaimed.

"So I take it things with the loan officer went well last week?" Aubrey asked as she took another bite of her lunch.

Rachel nodded as she sipped her Coke.  "I've just got to find the right location to set up shop and then we'll be open for business." She explained, with an excited smile on her face.  "I thought we were going to have our first event this weekend," she gave Aubrey a pointed look, "but it fell through."

"Sorry." Aubrey offered with a chuckle.

"Don't worry about." Rachel replied.  "We'll have our first client in no time!  I've already got Megan working on some marketing designs and I've been passing out my business card to everyone I meet.  The phone should start ringing any day now."

End Notes:
I love reviews  :)  *wink, wink*
Chapter 9 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Happy Labor Day!
Jackson sat, looking at the computer screen in front of him Wednesday evening, in disbelief.  The words were there before him, but he didn't want to believe them.  He couldn't.  Their existence threatened everything.  He'd just begun to put his relationship with his wife back on track and now this.  If Megan finds out...He trailed off, resting his elbows on the desk and putting one hand over his mouth.  What am I going to do? He thought.  She's not going to take this well.  What am I-

"Dinner's ready!"

Jackson jumped in his chair as he turned around quickly.  "Oh!" He breathed, putting a hand to his chest.  "Damn it, Megan!" He exclaimed, turning back around and quickly exiting his email account.  "Don't scare me like that!"

"What's going on?" Megan asked as she walked over to him.

"Nothing." Jackson insisted-his heart racing as he fought to act as though nothing really were wrong. 

"Why are you so jumpy?" She asked. 

He glanced up at her and swallowed nervously at the suspicious look in her eyes.  Had she seen?  Had she seen what he had been looking at before he'd closed it?  Could she sense his nervousness and fear?

"I haven't seen you jump that high since..." She trailed off and Jackson pushed away from the desk.  "Well...never." Megan remarked, watching him closely.  "What's going on?" She asked again.

"Nothing." He replied.  "You just...scared me, that's all.  What's for dinner?" He asked, changing the subject.

Megan continued watching him--her hazel eyes studying him closely-as she remained quiet.  Jackson forced a smile, hoping to calm her suspicions.  "Enchiladas." She finally answered, her eyes narrowing slightly as she folded her arms across her chest.  Jackson fought not to grimace.  It was never a good sign when Megan folded her arms like that.  She wasn't buying it.  

"Did I miss an anniversary or birthday?" He asked with a nervous chuckle as he leaned down and kissed her, a slight sense of relief filling him when she accepted the kiss instead of pushing him away.

"Nope." Megan answered with a shake of her head.  "Just had a craving."

Jackson watched as her eyes slid over to the computer and then back to him.  She opened her mouth to say something and his heart began hammering in his chest.  What was he going to tell her?  He couldn't keep lying and saying that nothing was going on.  This affected her too--in a big way--but he didn't want to lose her and he was afraid that when she found out what he had just found out that that was what was going to happen. 

"Ma!  Ma!  Ma!"

Scott's baby chatter suddenly came from the kitchen, interrupting them, and Jackson breathed a quiet sigh of relief.  He needed time to think this through.  He needed time to figure out what he was going to do and how he was going to fix everything before he told her what was going on. 

Without saying anything, Megan finally turned and walked out of the den.

~~~~~~     

Megan was unnerved by what had just happened and she couldn't shake the suspicious feeling surrounding her at Jackson's odd behavior.  What was her husband hiding?  He'd been sitting in there for the last thirty minutes, intently staring at the computer screen, and when she'd gone to get him for dinner he'd about jumped out of his skin.  She'd never seen him so jumpy and on edge before and it scared her.  He was hiding something.  She could see it in his eyes and she didn't like it.  She didn't like knowing that he had stood there and lied to her--telling her that nothing was going on when she knew that something was up.

She went to the oven as it started to beep and opened it.  Pulling out the pan of enchiladas she had made she set them down on the counter a little harder than she'd anticipated in her agitation and Jackson looked over at her in question.

"Sorry." She offered out of habit.  She watched as Jackson turned and began playing with the baby--making funny faces and causing Scott to laugh.  What are you hiding?  She wanted to ask.  Their relationship had been torn apart before because of something that he had kept hidden from her, hadn't he learned that honesty was what she wanted from him?  The sudden feeling of secrecy that had descended between them made her sick to her stomach and the insecurities she'd been fighting a few months ago began to creep back in. 

Turning off the oven, Megan carried the casserole dish over to the table and set it down.  Pulling out her chair she sat down and looked across at her husband, wondering if she should try to pull this secret out of him or just let it go.  Did she really want to know what was going on?  Did she really want to know what he was hiding?  Jackson turned to look at her, a smile on his face and a sparkle in his blue eyes and Megan had to fight the sudden urge to slap him. 

"I think, besides you," Jackson winked at her as he poured himself a glass of water from the pitcher on the table.  "This is my favorite smell." He pointed at the enchiladas.

Megan said nothing, just reached for his plate and began dishing some up for him.  Don't try to be all sweet and charming.  She told him in her head.  It's not going to work this time. 

"Are you okay?" Jackson asked his brows furrowing as he took the plate from her. 

"I'm fine." Megan lied.  If he could do it, so could she, right?  Jackson studied her for a moment then picked up his fork and began eating.  So much for Hawaii.  She thought bitterly.  They were right back to where they had been before with secrets and silence.

"Ma, ma, ma, ma..." Scott began repeating as he picked up the spoon and began hitting it against his high chair tray.  Megan picked up the bottle of baby food she'd set out for Scott.  Feeding him a few bites of the pureed sweet potatoes she spent the rest of dinner trying to avoid making eye contact with her husband. 

"I talked to a few real estate agents in L.A. today." Jackson finally said, breaking the deafening silence between them.  Megan looked up at him, meeting his eyes.  "I was thinking," he continued hesitantly.  "Maybe we should go out there for a few days and start looking for a place.  What do you think?"

"Sure." Megan replied, the shear hypocrisy of the moment making her want to throw up.  If they couldn't be honest and talk with each other and fix what was wrong between them, how was moving to California going to change anything? 

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this then needs to be.  She thought, trying to grasp onto any sliver of hope that she could as she continued to listen to Jackson and the plans he was making about their move.  She didn't want to let go of the happiness they'd experienced in Hawaii.  She didn't want to believe that her husband was cheating on her, but what else was she supposed to make of his jumpy and secretive behavior?

She couldn't handle sitting there across from him, acting like a happy family when her heart was breaking, any longer!  Megan stood and began cleaning up, ignoring Jackson's intense gaze.

~~~~~~

Jackson watched as Megan stood and began cleaning up the table.  She was mad.  Her jaw was clenched and her chest was rising and falling sharply as she fought to breathe evenly.  He knew he needed to talk to her but, instead, acting the coward, he cleaned up Scott then took the baby into the front room--hoping that by giving Megan some space he would be able to come up with the words to say to diffuse his wife's anger.

If he didn't, all his hard work the last couple weeks was going to go right out the window and was going to be sleeping on the couch.

~~~~~~

Jackson flipped off the hall light as he walked into his and Megan's bedroom later that night.  Megan was sitting up in bed, reading and he stood--watching her for a moment.  A few tendrils escaped the messy ponytail she'd pulled her hair back into, and her glasses were perched on her nose, but she gave no indication she even knew he was there.  Jackson's brow furrowed as he continued to watch her-wishing he were a mind reader.  He'd give anything to know what she was thinking right now.  He cleared his throat, hoping it would finally draw her attention, but she didn't even flinch.  How was he going to talk to her, if she wouldn't even look at him? 

A sudden and crazy thought went through his head and, before he could talk himself out of it, Jackson walked over to her side of the bed.  Without a word he took the book from her hands and tossed it towards the end of the bed. 

"Hey!" Megan exclaimed as she finally looked up at him--surprise and irritation written across her face.  Jackson placed his hands on either side of her face and, before she could say or do anything else, he kissed her.  Good and hard. 

She protested for a moment--putting her hands on his chest to push him away--but slowly she began to relax and he felt her begin to kiss him back.  Tilting her head to the side, Jackson deepened the kiss--hoping to take away all of her anger and frustration.  There were much better ways to put this fiery side of his wife to work.

Megan's hands slowly slid up his chest and into his hair as she wound her arms around his neck, lying back against the pillows as he crawled up on top of her, never breaking the seal of their lips.  When at last she tore her mouth from his, her lungs desperately pulling in oxygen, he opened his eyes and looked down at her.  Her cheeks were flushed, her lips were red, and the angry fire that had been in her eyes all evening was starting to go out. 

"I'm sorry." She told him as she brushed her fingers through his hair.  "I know I've been acting like a bit--"

"I'm sorry." He said, cutting her off.  He rested his weight on his forearms as he hovered above her.  "I didn't mean to snap at you earlier." He cupped the side of her face--his thumbs caressing her cheek as he leaned down and kissed her softly.  "I hate it when you're mad at me." He breathed.

"Then quit doing things that make me mad." She replied matter of factly.  Jackson watched her for a moment until finally, the corners of her mouth twitched upward slightly.  A sense of relief filled him as he noticed the teasing glint in her beautiful eyes. 

"Have I ever told you how irresistible you are when you're wearing your glasses?" He asked as he settled his weight more fully atop her. 

"You've mentioned it a few times." She replied with a smile.

"Then why don't you wear them more often?" Jackson questioned as he lowered his head and began nibbling along her jaw line.  Megan let out a breathy sigh as her arms tightened around his neck and he grinned in triumph.  His crazy idea was working.

"It would take all the fun out it." She replied as she turned her head to the side to grant him better access to her neck.  "I don't want you to become desensitized to them."

He chuckled as he nipped her playfully then pulled back to look at her once more.  "That won't happen." He assured her.  Their eyes met and he studied her for a few moments.  "Are you okay?" He asked, sincerely wanting to know.  Since they'd returned from Hawaii he had noticed that she became emotional over things that before hadn't bothered her, and her mood seemed to change at the drop of a hat.  He had a hard time most days keeping up with her and was tempted to believe that it was just the stress from trying to get things packed and the house ready to sell that had her overwhelmed...but he wasn't one hundred percent sure about that.

"I'm fine." She told him.  Jackson's eyes narrowed slightly as he looked at his wife, doubting her answer.  "Are you going to kiss me, or what?" She asked.  "I was in the middle of a really good chapter when you came and interrupted me." She continued.  "So either kiss me, or give me back my book--"

Megan let out a quiet giggle as Jackson captured her mouth and he pushed away his doubts and questions.  If something were wrong she would tell him.  Like you're telling her?  His conscious argued.

Jackson forced the thought away--refusing to listen to that annoying voice in the back of his mind.  It was better to keep quiet, he reasoned.  Megan was already stressed and finding out would only add to her anxiety.  He wanted to keep his wife as calm and as happy as possible. 

Life was easier for him when she was happy. 

~~~~~~

Taking, and releasing, a deep breath, Megan pulled her hair away from her face, secured it back with a ponytail holder and sat back--looking at the computer screen in front of her a few days later.

Since she and Jackson had gotten back from Hawaii,, Rachel had asked her to start working on a logo for the business she was starting and to work on some marketing materials.  Megan had been excited at the new challenge but was quickly becoming frustrated because Rachel had rejected every design idea Megan had sent her the last couple days.  Tapping her fingers on the desk Megan sat for a moment, waiting for inspiration to come.  She'd known Rachel her entire life!  Why couldn't she come up with a design her best friend would like?

She was distracted--that's why.  All she could think about lately was her husband.  She had been half tempted yesterday to hire a private investigator to follow him and hopefully appease her curiosity, but had decided not to--convincing herself she was being ridiculous and paranoid.  Beyond his jumpy behavior a few nights ago, Jackson hadn't given any other indications that anything was wrong.

Pushing the keyboard off to the side, Megan opened one of the desk drawers and took out her colored pencils.  Maybe she'd be able to come up with something for Rachel if she stepped away from the computer and went back to the basics.

"Where's my sketchbook?" Megan wondered out loud, looking through the drawer that held her drawing supplies.  It wasn't where it normally was.  Her brows furrowed as she began rummaging through the piles of papers stacked on the desk top-her irritation growing.  Why isn't anything ever put away? She thought, suddenly frustrated with the unorganized mess she was looking at.

"None of this even needs to be kept!" She exclaimed, looking at the scraps of paper with random notes and numbers scribbled on them.  Finally, pulling the small trash can from beneath the desk--and figuring she'd get a start on organizing the office in order to pack--Megan began throwing away the papers she was going through.  She was about halfway through the first pile when the computer beeped, startling her.  Megan glanced over at the monitor as a new email popped up on the screen.  Reaching for the mouse to minimize the screen Megan stopped, blinking unbelieving at what she was looking at.  Convinced she must be wrong, she glanced over her shoulder briefly, even though she knew she and Scott were the only ones home.  Looking back at the computer screen, Megan began reading through Jackson's emails--the evidence only compounding in front of her.

Her heart began to pound painfully in her chest and Megan put a hand across her mouth, as the urge to get physically sick almost overwhelming her.  Megan's breath came in shallow gasps as she tried to make sense of everything.  What did it all mean?  Why was Jackson keeping this all from her?  Did he think this could all be swept under the rug and forgotten about? 

Pulling her phone from her pocket Megan dialed quickly and lifted the phone to her ear, waiting for the call to be picked up.

~~~~~~

"Sign here."

Jackson looked at the document that was slid across the table at him and picked up his pen.  "I really appreciate you doing this for me, Brett." He said looking at the guy he'd known since high school.  "I always knew you being a lawyer was going to one day come in handy for me." Jackson replied with a forced smile.

"Just sign the damn form, Taylor." Brett responded, with a roll of his eyes.  "And pray nobody finds out about this."

"I thought you said this would take care of everything." Jackson replied, looking at the other guy in question.

"Technically, it will." Brett nodded.  "But it's not exactly the most legal way to go about doing this.  What is your wife--"

"She can't find out." Jackson cut him off.  "You have to promise me you won't say anything to Megan about this."

Brett blew out a breath.  "I promise." He replied with a roll of his eyes.  "But she's not the one you really have to worry about." He continued.  "If anyone decides for some reason to look at your information and starts comparing dates..." Brett shook his head as Jackson slid the paper back across the table.  "You could be in some serious trouble my friend."

"Well, then I'm just going to have to make sure that nobody has a reason to look at any of my information, now aren't I?" Jackson replied as he looked down at his phone as I began vibrating on his hip.  Megan's name flashed across the screen and his heart jumped in his chest.  He sat looking at the electronic devise, unable to answer the call.  Somehow, he knew what she was calling about.  The call transferred to voicemail and Jackson pushed his chair back and stood up. 

"Good luck." Brett answered, standing as well.  Jackson looked up at him as he clipped his phone back on his belt.  The two men shook hands and Brett opened the door of the conference room they had been in.

"Thanks." Jackson said.  "I'll see ya."

~~~~~~

Megan sat on the couch, her arms folded across her chest--her legs crossed as she watched the front door intently.  After finding Jackson's emails and trying to call him--with no answer--Megan had called her mother and asked her if she could watch Scott this evening.  She was going to confront her husband with the information she had discovered and she didn't want her son in the house in case it turned ugly.

Looking at her watch, Megan's anger grew.  He was late.  Finally, after several more tense minutes, she heard Jackson's car pull into the driveway and took a deep breath--steeling herself against what was coming.

~~~~~~

Jackson inserted his key into the lock and opened the front door of the house, anxious about facing his wife.  After her initial call earlier, Megan hadn't tried to call him again.  He knew the fact that he hadn't called her back wasn't going to go over very well with her, but he couldn't ignore her any longer.  Walking into the house Jackson stopped as his eyes met Megan's--his heart stopping momentarily at the angry fire that was once more in her beautiful eyes.  Closing the door he cleared his throat nervously.

"Hi." He offered tentatively.  "What's going on?" He asked looking around nervously.

"You tell me." Megan replied tightly.

"What--"

"I found these today." She said, cutting him off as she stood.  She picked up a stack of papers from the coffee table and walked towards him.  "Care to tell me what they're all about?" She asked holding them out to him. 

Jackson took the papers from her and looked down at them.  When he finally realized what he was holding his eyes flew back up to hers.  "Megan--"

"Don't ‘Megan' me!" She demanded.  "What does it mean, Jackson?" She asked, her voice rising in anger.  "I want the truth.  Right now!  No more lies.  No more secrets.  What the hell is going on?  Was it all rouse?" She asked.  "You weren't really going to take me to Hawaii, were you?  That was just something to throw me off, wasn't it?  I knew something was going on!  All this time, I knew!  How could you?" She accused, her bottom lip trembling. 

"Megan." Jackson stopped her.  "Would you stop and let me explain?"  Megan folded her arms across her chest and tilted her chin up.  Jackson jammed his left hand into his hair as he took a deep breath.  "I found Kate." He stated simply.  "But you already know that." He continued, holding out the emails she had printed out.  Megan nodded.  "When she disappeared on me and I couldn't find her, I waited the regulated time and had her declared officially dead so we," he gestured back and forth between them, "could get married."

"But she's not dead." Megan stated, giving him the information those damn emails contained. 

"No." Jackson shook his head.  "She's not dead." He looked down at the emails he'd received from the private investigator he'd hired several years ago when his first wife had left him and disappeared.  "I never thought I would ever get this email." He told her, lifting his hand, his fingers crumpling the papers as he clenched his fist.

"What does it mean?" Megan asked.

"Well..." he drawled and cleared his throat.  "Since I was married to her first and...she's not dead..."

"We're not married." Megan finished for him. 

He nodded.  "It's just a technicality." He rushed to assure her.  "I've already taken care of it."

"How have you taken care of it?" She asked incredulously. 

"Do you remember my friend Brett?  The lawyer?" He asked.  Megan nodded.  "I had him draw up some papers.  That's where I was this afternoon--meeting with him." He explained.

"Is that legal?" She asked, looking at him in question.  He hesitated and she closed her eyes, shaking her head. 

"Don't worry about." He told her.

"Don't worry about it?" She asked him.  "Don't worry about it?!  Are you serious?  Jackson, our marriage wasn't legal!" She exclaimed, throwing her hands up.  "You're still married to your first wife!  How am I not supposed to worry about this?!  And what about Scott?  What are we..." She stopped and he watched as she blinked rapidly--her bottom lip trembling slightly.  "What's going to happen?"  She asked him. 

"Nothing." He answered.  "Nothing's going to happen.  I told you, everything's taken care of." He stated as he stepped towards her.  He lifted his hand to brush her cheek but she pulled back and looked at him like he was crazy.  "It's just a technicality." He told her again.  "But if it will make you feel better we can get married again."

"I'm not sure I want to marry you again." She told him and Jackson felt the air rush from his lungs.  His knees almost buckled and he had to remind himself to breath as the pain from her words cut at his heart.

"W-what do you mean?" He asked frantically.  "W-why..." He trailed off, unable to form a complete sentence.

"I can't live like this anymore, Jackson!" She told him.  "The secrets, the silence, always wondering...I can't do it!  It took me finding those stupid emails for you to even tell me what was going on!  If I hadn't found them, would you have said anything to me about all of this?"  Jackson looked at her, wanting to give her the answer she was looking for--but he couldn't.  Not without lying to her again.  "That's what I thought." Megan replied.  He watched as a tear ran down her cheek and he wanted, more than anything, to reach out and wipe it away.  Megan lifted her hand and brushed it away instead then turned and grabbed her purse from where it sat on the coffee table.

"Where are you going?" He asked as she walked past him and put her hand on the door handle.

"My mom's." She told him as she yanked open the door. "That's where Scott is right now."

"Megan, wait." He called out in desperation, putting a hand on her arm.  She stopped but didn't turn around.  "Please don't do this." He begged.  "I...I'm sorry." 

She turned around to look at him and he felt like his heart was being ripped from his chest.  She looked down at where his hand was resting on her arm then slowly met his eyes. "Let me go, Jackson."

He released her--his arm dropping limply to his side--and watched as she walked out to her car and drove away.  He stood in the doorway for a long time, his eyes focused on where Megan's car had disappeared around the corner, gripping the doorframe for support--his mind unwilling to accept what had just happened.  A stupid, reckless, immature decision almost ten years ago had ruined the best thing that had ever happened to him.  Because of his fear he had just lost the one person who meant the most to him--the one person he loved more than life. 

If she was gone, what reason did he have to continue?

Finally he stepped inside and shut the front door.  Leaning back against it, Jackson slid down until he was sitting on the floor and put his head in his hands-an eerie sense of déjà vu enveloping him as his tears fell.  He'd lost Megan once before because of Kate.  He obviously hadn't learned his lesson about honesty then and so history was now repeating itself.  I should have told her.  He thought.  "I should have told her!" He screamed out angrily as he hit the door behind him and looked at the ceiling.  He leaned his head back as he continued to cry.  Why hadn't he told her what was going on?  Why had he been so stupid?  Why had he thought that keeping it all quiet and trying to take care of everything without telling Megan would be okay?  How could he just let her walk away? 

The regret and self-recrimination was almost suffocating, but it was the look in Megan's eyes when she had told him she didn't know if she wanted to marry him again that hurt the most.  Didn't she love him anymore?  His heart twisted painfully.  And what about Scott?  Jackson couldn't imagine not being able to see his son everyday.  Was he now going to be relegated to only seeing Scott on holidays and special occasions?  Every other weekend perhaps?

He couldn't do it. 

He couldn't stand by and be an onlooker to his son's life.  He needed to be there everyday and he needed Megan--more than anything, he needed Megan.  He wasn't complete without her.  They belonged together.  But how was he going to convince her of that fact when she didn't want to have anything to do with him?  Jackson pulled his knees up and, resting his elbows on them, clasped his hands together and began to pray for the inspiration he needed on how to win Megan back.     

~~~~~~

"Why aren't you ready?"

JC looked up from his bowl of Cap'n Crunch-his eyes meeting Rachel's Wednesday morning.  "I don't have to be at the station for another hour." He told her, looking at the clock on the wall.

"What?" She asked, looking at him in question.  "What are you talking about?"

"What are you talking about?" He asked, taking another bite of his cereal.

"We've got an appointment in twenty minutes." She told him.  "I thought you were down here because you were ready to go."

"Go where?" JC asked, utterly confused.  "What appointment?"

"To pick out flowers." She told him.  "I told you about this last week!" She exclaimed.

"That was today?" He asked, and Rachel nodded.  JC slumped down in his chair as he blew out a breath.  "Rach, I can't..." He shook his head.  "I can't go."

"What do you mean you can't go?" She asked, putting her hands on her slender hips.  He watched as her jaw clenched and he swallowed nervously.  Rachel was a force to be reckoned with when she was angry about something.

"I can't go." He repeated dumbly.

"Why the hell not?" She questioned.

"I've got like three radio interviews with the guys today," he began, telling her his plans for the day.  "And Tyler's in town.  I don't get to see him very often and I--"

"Fine." Rachel cut him off as she turned around sharply and began walking towards the garage door.  "Forget it."

"Rachel, wait!" He called out as he stood and walked around the table. 

"Save it, JC." She told him slinging her purse over her shoulder and he stopped short in surprise.  She never called him ‘JC' anymore--it was weird hearing her say the name now and he knew it wasn't a good sign.  "Have fun." She offered, the sarcasm all but dripping from her words.  "I'll see you later." And with that she left. 

JC stood in the middle of the kitchen looking at the garage door for a moment then finally turned and went back to the table.  It was moments like this that made him regret not hiring another personal assistant when Sarah had left last year.  At the time he had figured that with the group getting back together, Jive would once more be hiring someone to keep track of their schedules and, with Rachel around, he didn't need one more person around telling him where he needed to be everyday. 

Boy, was I wrong.  He mused.  He felt bad about bailing on the appointment she had set up but there honestly wasn't anything he could do about it.  Reaching for his phone lying on the table he flipped it open and quickly sent Rachel a text.

I'm sorry.

When she didn't answer in her customary timeframe he sent another one.

I love you.

Again, no answer. 

Picking up his spoon, JC finished his cereal then stood and put the bowl in the sink.  She just needs time to cool off. He reasoned with himself. Grabbing his phone he headed upstairs to hop in the shower.  He would give her a few minutes--enough time for him to take a shower and get dressed--and then give her a call.  He'd make it up to her.  How, he wasn't quite sure yet, but he was confident he'd come up with something.  It'll give me something to do while everyone talks to Justin. He thought with a roll of his eyes as he stepped into the shower.  I don't know why they even have the rest of us there...

End Notes:
as always, I LOVE to hear what you guys have to say  :)
Chapter 10 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

Another chapter!  Are you shocked?  I am...lol...

I think this is my favorite chapter so far.  Lots of drama...I hope you guys like it as much as I do!  :)

"Answer your phone, Megan." Rachel breathed as she drummed her fingers against the steering wheel of her Jetta.  She let out a growl of frustration as the call switched over to Megan's voicemail.  Again.  "I don't have time for this today, Megs!" She exclaimed as she looked down at her phone and dialed Megan's number again.  This had been the day from hell and Rachel was quickly loosing patience with her best friend. 

After leaving the house upset at JC that morning, things had gone from bad to worse.  The florist she'd had an appointment with had made her wait almost thirty minutes before coming out to talk with her and had then proceeded to tell Rachel that the ideas she had were "all wrong," and had started going off with her own ideas.  Rachel had tried to tell her that she was an interior designer and knew what she was talking about, but the florist wouldn't listen to her.  At which point, Rachel had gotten up and walked out--fuming. 

"Why don't I just do my own damn flowers?!" She exclaimed as she had gotten into her car and slammed the door.  "I'm doing everything else anyway, so why the hell not?!"

After the confrontation with the florist, Rachel had gone to meet with the realtor who was helping her find a store front for her business.  However, after driving all over the valley, there had only been two shops Rachel had liked enough to even consider thinking about putting an offer in on.  Feeling disappointed and little anxious about her first upcoming loan payment, Rachel had left her realtor with the promise to make a decision by next week.  Getting into her car once again, Rachel had driven across town towards her final destination.  The whole time she'd been running around though, Megan had been on her mind.  Something was going on--she could feel it--and the fact that Megan wasn't answering her phone made Rachel even more concerned.

"Pick up your phone, Megan." Rachel murmured as she looked over her shoulder and changed lanes.  "Damn it!" She breathed as Megan's voicemail picked up once more.  "Listen," Rachel began, leaving her friend a message.  "I don't know what's going on, but I know something's wrong.  Call me back.  Please?  I need to know that you're okay."

With a sigh, Rachel ended the call.  She picked up her phone, intent on calling Jackson--to assure herself that everything was okay--but was interrupted as a yellow Hummer suddenly cut her off.  "What was that?!" Rachel exclaimed as she put on her brakes.  "Been driving long?  Sheesh!" She blew out a frustrated breath.  "Stupid, California drivers." She grumbled.  This traffic wasn't doing anything to help her mood.  She was getting more frustrated by the second. 

I've got to get off this freeway! She thought as she looked over her shoulder, signaled, and changed lanes.  Before I either die or kill someone.  Taking the next off ramp, Rachel took the surface streets to the shopping center that held the store she needed to make her last stop of the day.  Walking into the cell phone store, Rachel forced a smile as the overly eager salesman greeted her. 

"How are you today, ma'am?" He asked, holding out his hand.  "My name is Demetrius.  How can I help you today?"

"Hi." Rachel replied, shaking his hand.  "I need a new Blackberry." She informed him.

"Certainly." Demetrius nodded and put his hands together.  "Have you seen the new I-phones?  We just got in a shipment--"

"No." Rachel shook her head as she cut him off.  "I just want a Blackberry."

"Okay." Demetrius replied.  "The Blackberries are over here.  We have a great special right now--ninety-nine dollars with a new two year commitment."

Rachel shook her head.  "No commitment." She replied.  Demetrius just blinked as he looked at her in surprise.  "I don't want to add to my contract."

"Are you eligible for an upgrade right now?" He asked.

"I don't know." Rachel replied.  "And," she continued quickly as Demetrius opened his mouth to reply.  "I don't care about when I'm eligible.  I just want to buy the phone.  No commitment.  No contracts.  Just the phone."

"You want to pay retail?" Demetrius asked sounding a bit shocked.

"Yes." Rachel nodded.  Taking a deep breath as she felt her frustration flaring again.  "I want to pay retail.  I understand it's going to cost me more, but I really don't care--cost isn't the issue right now.  What is the issue is that I need to get my fiancée a new phone.  One that I can set up for him and program some important dates into the calendar so that he won't forget about them and bail out on me again.  Is that something you can do for me, Demetrius?  Because if not, I'm sure I can find another--"

"This is the newest Blackberry we have." Demetrius responded holding out the floor model for her.  Rachel took a deep breath as she took the phone and continued to listen to Demetrius' sales pitch.

She nodded as he finished.  "Thank you." She told him.  "I'll take it."

After paying for the phone, Rachel left the store and walked outside.  Putting her sunglasses on she walked across the parking lot towards her car--startling as a rogue paparazzi suddenly appeared out of nowhere and began snapping a few pictures of her. 

"When's the big day?" He asked. 

Rachel glanced at him but kept her mouth shut.  She really didn't want to have her wedding date broadcast to the entire world.  The guest list is big enough already.  She thought sarcastically.  She tried to ignore the guy as he continued to follow her. 

"Have you guys thought about doing a double wedding with Justin?"

Rachel stopped as she got to her car--her hand on the door handle.  "No." She told the guy as she got into her car. 

"Are you pregnant?" The guy asked as Rachel shut the door.

Why do they always ask that?  She thought.  Don't they have anything better to do then sneak up and ask me stupid questions?  Honestly!

~~~~~~

Rachel finally let herself into the house forty-five minutes later with a sigh.  Five more hours. She thought, looking at her watch.  Then I can go to bed and end this stupid day!  She set her purse and the bag from the cell phone store on the counter as she walked over to the fridge--the thought of having to make something for dinner leaving a bad taste in her mouth.  Cooking was the last thing she wanted to do right now.  She closed the fridge, her eyes landing on the pan of brownies sitting on the counter that she had made last night.  Cutting off a small piece, she put the chocolate in her mouth and opened up the drawer that held the take-out menus they had.  I wonder if Jace would be okay with Chinese tonight.

"Jace?" She called out as she closed the fridge.  "You okay if I just order out tonight?" 

Silence. 

"JC?" Rachel called his name again as she took her phone from her purse.  Again, no answer.  She pursed her lips as she walked into the other room--hoping he was asleep on the couch or something.  No such luck.  Dialing his number, Rachel put the phone to her ear. 

"Hey it's me." His recorded voice greeted her after only one ring.  "You know what to do."

Rachel sighed in disappointment.  After their less than loving parting this morning, and her terrible day, Rachel had been looking forward to seeing him.  She needed a hug--and she needed JC to give it to her. 

"Hi." Rachel began, leaving him a message.  "It's me.  I miss you." She sighed.  "When are you going to be home?  I need you.  Call me.  I love you."

Rachel hung up the phone then dialed the number to the closest Chinese restaurant that delivered.  Placing an order for one she then went upstairs.  Rachel changed into her favorite pair of grey sweats and a black tank top, pulled her hair up in a messy ponytail and walked back downstairs--through the empty house.

We need a cat.  She thought as the silence began to get to her.  Loneliness suddenly overwhelmed her as she thought about living here all alone once JC was out on tour with the rest of the guys.  She stopped and looked around.  She loved this house--it was the perfect combination of herself and JC but, as she looked around, Rachel wasn't sure she would be able to handle living here alone.  I don't know how he did it.  She thought, thinking of all the years JC had lived by himself. 

Her thoughts were interrupted as the bell rang at the gate.  Looking outside, Rachel pressed the button that opened the gate from inside to allow the delivery guy entrance.  When he came to the door, Rachel paid him and then took her food into the Family Room.  She picked up the remote as she sat down on the couch--hoping to find something to take her mind off her stress and frustration, and make her forget she was home alone. 

"Perfect!" She exclaimed as she found Interview with a Vampire playing on one of the movie channels.  Pulling her knees up Rachel sat back against the couch with her Orange Chicken and Chow Mien and settled in to watch one of her favorite movies. 

~~~~~~

An hour later, Rachel suddenly realized with a start that she wasn't at home anymore.  Instead of sitting on her couch watching a movie, she was sitting in a chair in an unfamiliar room.  Her brows furrowed slightly as she looked around, taking in her surroundings.  A huge fireplace took up most of one wall, while the multiple candles spread around the room, flickered against the gray, stone block walls.  I must be dreaming.  She thought, at her medieval looking surroundings.  Am I in a castle?

Looking down at herself, Rachel smoothed her hands over the luxurious red fabric of the dress she was wearing.  Spreading out one arm, Rachel admired the intricate embroidery on the sleeves of the dress then ran her fingertip along the low neck line.  She stood and twirled around--smiling as she watched the skirt of the dress flair out around her.  The sleeves of the dress fell off her shoulders in a style that she was convinced was entirely too scandalous and would never have been worn by someone back in the thirteenth century, but she didn't care.  She'd never felt more beautiful and suddenly wished JC were with her.  She fingered the cord hanging from the belt sitting low on her hips as she once again looked around the room.  Her eyes landed on the huge, canopy bed that sat against the wall opposite the fireplace.  She walked towards the bed, running her hand along the cream colored bed spread and let out a sigh of longing.  I really wish JC were here. She thought. What good is this bed when I'm here by myself?

Suddenly she stopped, overcome with the feeling that someone was watching her.  A shiver went down her spine and she lifted her head, cocking it to the side as she listened.  She heard a slight rustle behind her and her heart fluttered nervously.

"I know you're there." She said quietly, finally speaking.  She wanted to turn around, but something kept her glued in place.  All she could do was listen, as a pair of slow and steady footsteps made their way towards her.  She closed her eyes and swallowed as she felt him stop behind her.  She didn't need to see to know who it was and she couldn't stop the goose bumps from enveloping her as his breath hit her neck.  Letting out a breathy sigh, Rachel closed her eyes as she felt his warm lips press against her skin. 

"I've been waiting." He whispered as his nose brushed up her neck before he kissed just below her ear. 

Rachel looked down as one of his arms came around her waist--his hand pressing against her stomach as he pulled her back against him.  His other hand went to her neck, tilting her head to the side as he began placing several warm, lingering kisses to the exposed skin of her neck and shoulder.  Rachel lifted one arm, her hand going up and into his hair, as she willingly surrendered to him--whispering his name.

~~~~~~

"Joshua."

JC looked down at Rachel as she lay sleeping on the couch, his lips turning up slightly as she suddenly whispered his name.  She was dreaming about him and--judging by the soft noises of pleasure she was making--it was a very good dream.  He had gotten home moments ago, expecting her to be waiting for him.  After the desperate sounding voicemail she had left him, he had tried to call her, but she hadn't answered.  He had been concerned at the time, but realized now that she had fallen asleep. 

He felt a twinge of jealousy as she suddenly let out another breathy moan.  As much as he liked knowing he could affect her this way, even in her dreams, what he really wanted was to make her cry out his name for real. 

Glancing at the television, he picked up the remote and turned off the movie that was playing.  JC crouched down next to the couch.  Tentatively he reached out his hand and softly brushed his fingertips against her cheek, expecting Rachel to wake up.  But she didn't move. 

~~~~~~

Rachel turned in his arms, needing to see him; to kiss him.  As her eyes met his, her breath caught in her throat at the purely predatory look in those sapphire orbs.  Part of her wanted to step away--a sense of fear washing over her at the evil she could see in his eyes, lurking just beneath the surface-but a larger part found herself being drawn in, unable to look away.  The arm that was still around her waist tightened as he drew her closer, while he lifted his other hand--his fingertips tracing along her cheekbone.  As he lowered his head, his lips finally touching hers, Rachel relaxed against him.  Her fear fleeing. 

What had started as a slow, seductive kiss soon turned into a passionate and heated exchange and Rachel had to tear her lips from his as she desperately sought for air.  Winding her arms around his neck she sunk her fingers into his dark hair.  As his lips burned a slow trail down her neck Rachel felt her head falling back, allowing him access to her throat--her eyes closing. 

He stopped suddenly, pulling his lips from her skin, and she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth--waiting.  She knew what was coming.  Somehow, she knew what was coming and she wanted it. 

"Rachel?" He breathed, his nose brushing along her throat.  The question in his voice made her stomach quiver.

"Yes." She replied, giving him permission.  "Yes."

Suddenly, he sunk his teeth into her tender flesh and she let out a gasp--her arms tightening around his neck.  If he hadn't been holding her up, she would have collapsed as her knees gave out.  "Yes." She breathed.

"Rachel?" He asked again, as he released her and pulled back-their eyes meeting.  The sight of the blood on his lips should have repulsed her, but instead she found herself more aroused than she'd ever been before.  She watched as his tongue darted out, licking the blood away and she groaned. 

"Rachel?" He repeated.

"I'm here." She told him, pulling his head back down to her throat.  "Take me."

"Rachel!" He replied insistently, pulling away from him. 

"What?" She asked.

"Wake up."

~~~~~~

"No." Rachel murmured, her brow furrowing as if she were in pain. 

"Come on, Sass." JC whispered as he brushed his lips against hers.  "Wake up."  He couldn't handle it anymore.  Watching her in the throws of an intimate and incredibly passionate dream was driving him crazy.

"No." She whimpered.  "Please..."

"Wake up." JC breathed as he kissed along her jaw line.  "I need you." His lips pressed against her neck.  "Please...wake up."  He pulled back and watched as Rachel finally opened her eyes and looked at him.  He smiled.  "Hi.  I--"

But before he could get another word in she threw her arms around his neck and kissed him fiercely.  JC was taken back by her sudden attack on him, but his surprise only lasted a second before he was quickly taking advantage of the situation.  She let out a seductive moan as he moved a top her on the couch--their lips moving together as their tongues battled for supremacy.  Slipping his hands beneath her shirt he lifted the fabric, suddenly needing to be as close as possible to her.  When she had left this morning mad at him, JC hadn't been sure what he was going to come home to but now he was regretting he hadn't come home sooner! 

"Bite me." Rachel breathed.

"What?" JC asked, pulling back to look at her in question.  Rachel opened her eyes.  "Bite you?" He questioned.  She nodded.  He narrowed his eyes as he looked at her. 

Rachel closed her eyes and arched slightly beneath him--exposing her neck to him.  JC lifted one brow as he continued to look down at his fiancée.  His lips twitched upward as he lowered his head.  He wasn't sure what exactly had gotten into her tonight, but he liked it. 

He really liked it. 

~~~~~~

"That..." JC panted as he rolled over, lying on his back on the floor.  "Was hot!"  He breathed heavily, as he attempted to catch his breath.  "What do I have to do to get that again?"

Rachel giggled as she rolled over and draped herself across his chest.  "Become a vampire." She replied leaning down to kiss him then ran her fingers through his hair.  She wasn't sure exactly when they had ended up on the floor, but she honestly didn't care.  She'd never experienced anything like what had just happened between them and ending up on the floor next to the couch was a small price to pay.

JC put one arm around her--his hand pressing against her back as he held her close.  "Is that all?" He teased as he pulled her back down for another kiss. 

"Mmm-hmm." She nodded as she licked her lips.  "You're already pale enough." She remarked with a grin as she reached her hand out--running her fingertips over his bottom lip.  "And let me tell you..." she lowered her head as she placed her lips against his bare chest.  "You are one. Hot. Vampire."  She remarked, punctuating each word with another kiss.

JC let out a groan.  "I have never..." He sighed as he shook his head.  "That was hot."

"Thank you, Paris Hilton." Rachel laughed with a roll of her eyes. 

JC chuckled as he lifted a hand and brushed her hair over her shoulder.  He cupped the side of her neck with one hand--his thumb running over the bite he had given her.  "How in the world did I survive without you, Sass?" He looked at her in amazement.  Rachel's stomach quivered as their eyes met--a comfortable silence surrounding them.  "You're going to have a mark for a while." He informed her quietly as he looked at her neck.  "It's starting to bruise."

"Good." Rachel replied as she put her hand over his.  JC looked at her in question.  "It'll give the paparazzi something else to speculate about instead of whether or not I'm pregnant."  JC chuckled.  "Besides," She replied with a smile.  "I kind of like knowing you've marked me and everyone can see it." She leaned towards him, barely touching her lips to his--their eyes remaining locked on each other's.  "It's hot." She breathed. 

JC lifted his head slightly to capture her mouth with his.  The hand that had been on her neck moved up, his fingers tangling in her hair as he rolled them--laying her back against the floor.  Their lips met again and again with increasing passion.

"Warn me the next time you're going to watch that damn movie." He murmured against her lips.  "So I can be prepared, okay."

"Okay." Rachel laughed as she put her arms around his neck and kissed him soundly.  "I promise." 

~~~~~~

Aubrey sat at her grandmother's kitchen table, running the middle finger of her right hand around the lip of her glass in a rhythmic motion.  Her left elbow was propped up on the table, her chin resting in her hand, as she stared at the wall--a million thoughts racing through her head.  She had homework she needed to be working on, but she just couldn't concentrate.  Every time she sat down to read, her mind began to wander.  Everyone around her was looking and waiting for an answer from her. 

The week in Tennessee with Justin and his family had been incredible!  Aubrey had discovered another side of Justin that she adored--the sweet and simple country boy--and she had begun to fantasize about them moving back there when they got married.  His hometown was the kind of place she had always wanted to live in; the kind of place where you knew everyone and your neighbors felt more like family.  Justin wasn't a superstar when he was home.  He had taken her around--showing her all of his favorite places and Aubrey had begun to forget about the attention always surrounding him back in California.  Reality had been intruded however, as soon as they had stepped off the plane in L.A.  The paparazzi were starting to get more intrusive as the N SYNC reunion tour got closer to kicking off and Aubrey knew--as long as she was with Justin--the normal life she had always planned for herself wasn't going to happen. 

Since they had gotten home--and she'd called a halt to their hurried wedding plans--Justin had hinted a few more times about her moving in with him and Aubrey didn't know how much longer she could keep putting him off.. It wasn't that she didn't love him and didn't want to be with him, but something was holding her back.  Something she couldn't quite put her finger on.  Rachel was also still waiting for an answer about the job she'd offered last week, but Aubrey couldn't make up her mind on that either.  She wanted to take the job--it would give her the chance to finish her degree quicker--but again, there was something holding her back.  Something was keeping her from giving everyone the answers they were looking for. 

"You want to talk about it?"

Aubrey sat up and shook her head, snapping out of the daze she'd been in as Grams sat down beside her at the table.  She picked up her glass and took a sip of the apple juice she had poured herself earlier.  "Talk about what?" She asked.

"Whatever it is that's got you looking so troubled." Grams replied.  Aubrey looked down at the table.  "Is everything okay between you and Justin?" Grams asked.

"Yes." Aubrey nodded, looking over at her grandmother.  "Why?  Everything's fine."

"I'm just trying to figure out what's got you so quiet and serious this evening." Grams replied.  "You look like you've got the weight of the world on your shoulders.  Plus," she continued.  "Justin hasn't been over here in a few days and you haven't been over at his house at all this week."

Aubrey sighed as she once more placed her chin in her hand.  She didn't need to be reminded of how long it had been since they had seen each other--she was all too aware of the time apart.  "He's been busy." She replied, absently drawing a figure eight with her fingertip on the tabletop. That was only partially true.  The truth of the matter was, until she was able to figure out what was going on inside of her, she felt like she was just leading him on and being with him, under these circumstances, made her feel like a horrible person.  Why couldn't she give him what he wanted?

"What's going on, Aubrey?" Grams asked.

"I don't know." Aubrey sighed.  "I just...I don't know what to do anymore.  Justin wants me to move in with him and he hasn't asked-in so many words--but I know he wants to set a date for the wedding.  Rachel's offered me a job that will allow me to go to school full-time and is waiting for me to get back to her, but I can't seem to give either of them the answers that they want." Grams remained silent and Aubrey scrubbed her hands over her face.  "I don't know what my problem is!  Why can't I give them the answers they want?"

"What do you want?" Grams asked.

"I want to give them the answers they want." Aubrey replied.

"Do you?" Grams asked.

Aubrey blew out a frustrated breath as she lowered her hands.  "I don't know!" She exclaimed--her voice cracking at the tears that suddenly formed.  "I don't know." She repeated quietly.  Grams was quiet for a moment and then stood up.  Aubrey watched as her grandmother walked over to the counter, opened a drawer and pulled out a small notepad.  Grabbing a pencil from the jar by the telephone, Grams returned to the table and set the paper and pencil in front of Aubrey.

"I think it's time to figure that out."  Grams said.  "Close your eyes.  Clear your mind.  Listen to your heart and make a list of the things you want, Aubrey."

Aubrey picked up the pencil and pulled the notepad in front of her.  Glancing up at Grams who gave her a nod of encouragement, she then turned back to the pad.  Taking a deep breath Aubrey began to write.

I want...

~~~~~~

Megan rolled over in bed the next morning, her arm reaching out reflexively for Jackson.  When her hand only met empty space she opened her eyes and sat up slightly.  As the last remnants of sleep fled, she fell back against the pillows and turned back over.  He wasn't there.  Megan closed her eyes and curled up into a ball beneath the covers of the bed that--until she had moved out to go to college ten years ago--had been hers.  She pulled the old purple comforter under her chin as she stared at the wall.

It had been two days since she had confronted Jackson about Kate.  Two days since she had walked out on him.  Two days since she had seen or spoken to him or anyone for that matter--besides her mother and Scott.  Not that he hadn't tried.  Her eyes moved over to the pink roses sitting in a vase on the dresser across the room.  He had come over yesterday, wanting to talk to her but Megan had stubbornly stayed in her room.  The flowers had arrived an hour later with a card that simply stated: I'm sorry. 

Her cell phone vibrated on the bedside table.  She looked over at it as it continued to alert her to an incoming call, but made no move to answer it.  She knew who it was and she didn't want to talk.  Talking would lead to crying and Megan knew as soon as she started that she wouldn't be able to stop.  The phone went silent.  A moment later it beeped-alerting her to yet another voicemail message waiting for her.  Tucking her chin beneath the comforter and burrowing further under the blankets, Megan closed her eyes--wishing with everything inside of her that she could somehow wake up from this nightmare that had become her life.

What had she done to deserve this?  Why was she now faced with the daunting responsibility of being a single parent?  She had tried so hard to avoid becoming like her mother, and now here she was--alone with a baby depending on her.  But what hurt the most, was knowing she had lost her heart.  The man she had foolishly believed was her soul mate and Prince Charming had taken it and she knew she wasn't ever going to get it back. 

A knock came at the bedroom door suddenly, and Megan sniffed--lifting a hand to wipe away the tears that had leaked from beneath her lashes.  She turned and sat up in the bed as the door opened and her mother poked her head into the room. 

"Rachel wants to talk to you." Rebecca Harris told her daughter as she held out the phone.  "She's called a dozen times the last couple days.  I can't keep putting her off."

"I don't want to talk to her." Megan shook her head as she looked down at her hands in her lap.  She heard her mother sigh as she assured Rachel that Megan was fine and would call her back and then hung up the phone.  Rebecca walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge, facing her daughter. 

"How did you do it, Mom?" Megan asked, still looking down at her hands.  "How did you pick up and keep going after Dad left?"

"I didn't have a choice." Rebecca replied.  "I did what I had to do for you and your brother." 

"I tried..." Megan began, but her voice broke.  She swallowed the lump in her throat.  "I love you, Mom but I don't want to be like you."

"You're not, Megan." Rebecca insisted.  She reached out and lifted Megan's chin.  "You're not."

"Yes I am." Megan replied, as her tear fell.  "I'm alone now."

Rebecca shook her head.  "You're not alone, Megan.  Jackson loves you.  Why else has he been calling you," she reached over and picked up Megan's cell phone, "and me non-stop for the last two days."  She placed the phone in Megan's lap.  Megan looked down at the screen.  42 missed calls. "Why else has he been over here the last two days trying to see you?  To talk to you?  Why else would he send you flowers?  If he didn't love you, your walking out wouldn't have phased him in the slightest.  But it has.  Honey, he's as broken up about this situation as you are.  Jackson is a good man." Rebecca continued.  "He is not your father."

"But the secrets, Mom!" Megan exclaimed as she looked at her mother.  "He kept everything about Kate hidden!  Why didn't he tell me what was going on?"

"I don't know." Rebecca answered.  "But have you tried to see it from his point of view?  Why do you think he kept it from you?" She asked.  "He knows your past.  He knows what happened with your father."  Rebecca placed her hand on Megan's cheek.  "Did you stop to think that maybe he didn't tell you because he didn't want to hurt you more than you've already been hurt?  That he was trying to save you from the pain it would cause you knowing?" 

Megan was quiet as she thought about what her mother had just said.  Had she overreacted in just walking away?  She hadn't stopped to think about it from his point of view-she'd been too angry and upset over finding out.  Had he kept it from her because he knew how she would react and he had been trying to protect her? 

"Your husband was doing what he thought--"

"He's not my husband." Megan interrupted quietly.  "We're not married anymore." She continued, her bottom lip trembling as she voiced the one thought that hurt the most.  She looked down at her wedding ring.  "We never really were."

"Then get married again." Her mother countered.

"I don't know if I want to." Megan admitted.

Rebecca was quiet for a moment.  "Sounds like you have a decision to make." She stated.  "But don't let your fear keep you from the one you should be with."  She stood to leave but turned back around and handed the wireless handset to Megan.  "And please call Rachel back before she has a nervous breakdown and decides to drive out here to check on you." 

~~~~~~

"Justin?" Rachel's brow furrowed in question as she opened her front door.  She put her cell phone into her pocket.  She'd been trying to call Megan since yesterday.  Megan was still avoiding her.  Even though Rebecca Harris had just told her that Megan would call her back, Rachel wondered if she would. "What are you doing here?" She asked, turning her attention to the man currently standing on her front step.  "JC's down at the studio--"

"I know where he is." Justin interrupted her.  Rachel stood looking at him--one hand on the doorknob, as her other hand came up to rest on her hip.  "I came to see you." He informed her.  Rachel's brows lifted in surprise.  "Can I come in?" He asked.

"Sure." Rachel replied, stepping back as she opened the door further.  She watched as he walked inside then stood in the foyer--looking nervous and uncomfortable.  Rachel shut the front door then turned to look at him.  "What's up?" She asked, studying him closely. 

"I need to..." He stopped.  "Can we go sit down or something?"

"You know where the couch is." She replied, holding her hand out.  Justin nodded once then turned.  Instead of heading into the front room as she expected, Justin walked back towards the great room.  Rachel followed after him--confused at his odd behavior.  What in the hell is going on?  She wanted to ask as he sat down on the couch.  She watched as he leaned over, resting his arms on his knees.  His hands were clasped together and his left knee was bouncing slightly in agitation. 

"Are you on something right now?" She asked suddenly as she sat down beside him.  In the two years that she'd known him, she'd never seen him act this way before.

"No." He replied as he turned his blue eyes on her. 

"Then what in the hell is going on?" She questioned.  "You're acting really strange--even for you."

Justin swallowed and looked back at his hands.  "Has..." he stopped and cleared his throat.  "Has Aubrey...talked to you...in the last couple days?"

Rachel's brows furrowed again in confusion.  "We talked a few days ago at lunch." She replied.  "Why?"  She had to lean close to him as the next words out of his mouth were barely whispered. 

"I think she's getting ready to break up with me."

End Notes:
well...what'dya think??  I told you...lots of drama...
Chapter 11 by azchickadee
"What?!" Rachel exclaimed.  Justin glanced over at her, wondering if coming to talk with her had been such a great idea, but he had to talk to someone.  He had figured, since Rachel and Aubrey were friends, that Rachel would know if his fears were founded.  "That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!  What in the world makes you think Aubrey is going to break up with you?" Rachel asked. 

Justin shrugged.  "It's just this...this feeling I have.  I don't know...it's like..."  He lifted one hand, his fingers running over his short hair.  "She's avoiding me." He stated.  "Every time I call her, she has some excuse as to why we can't spend time together."  He sighed.  "I haven't seen her in over a week!  Ever since we got back from Tennessee she's been...different." 

"Different, how?" Rachel asked. 

"She's...quiet.  She's not really talking to me.  She's pulling away from me and I don't know why!  It's happening again." He murmured.  "What is it about me that scares them all away?" He asked looking over at Rachel.  "Everything's great and then...something happens and they all leave."

"Have you talked to her in the last couple days?" Rachel asked. 

Justin shook his head.  "I told you--every time I call she has some excuse.  I can't..." He stopped, scrubbing his hands over his face.  "I can't go through this again, Rachel.  Not with her." He pinched the bridge of his nose, embarrassed at the tears that were suddenly burning in his eyes. I've done it again.  He thought.  Am I destined to never have a lasting relationship?

"Look," Rachel said, scooting closer to him.  She reached out and put her hand on his knee.  "There's a lot going on right now.  Between you busy getting ready for the tour starting in a few weeks, to her being in school and working, to your guys' on--again, off--again wedding plans..." Rachel sighed.  "There's a lot going on.  Plus," she hesitated and Justin looked up at her.  "You two got engaged really quickly and this is all brand new to her.  From what I know about Aubrey you are her first real relationship." She continued.  Justin nodded.  "Put yourself in her shoes." Rachel offered.  "How would you feel if the roles were reversed?  How would you feel if the first woman you truly loved was a gigantic superstar?  How would you feel if you had spent your whole life as just a regular, normal person and then suddenly your life was thrown into the spotlight and you had to change your entire way of doing things?"

Justin blew out a breath. "I would feel...overwhelmed." He admitted, trying to put himself in Aubrey's shoes.

"Overwhelmed." Rachel nodded.  "Scared, nervous, afraid you're not going to measure up, and maybe a little bit unworthy?" Rachel added.  "Of the love and attention."

"I don't know how to make her understand." Justin replied.  "I'm the unworthy one.  I'm the one who doesn't measure up." 

"Talk to her." Rachel stated.  "When was the last time you two went out on a date?  When was the last time you two spent some quality time together doing something fun?"

"We spent all week together in Tennessee." He answered.

"Before that." Rachel replied. 

"It's been a while." Justin admitted.

"Well, there you go!" Rachel exclaimed.  "Take her out and remind her why you two are so perfect for each other."  She smiled.  "She's just scared right now, Justin." Rachel continued.  "I remember what that felt like.  You don't how intimidating it can be to suddenly find yourself involved with a celebrity--especially one that's as popular as you are.  There's a lot of...self-worth issues that come up when you're suddenly being examined and analyzed by anyone and everyone."   

"I don't care about what anyone thinks." Justin replied.

"This isn't about you." Rachel told him, shaking her head.  "This about her and you need to realize where she's coming from and what she's feeling right now.  But you can't do that unless you talk to her!  Don't just assume things, alright?"  He nodded.  "Aubrey loves you." Rachel smiled encouragingly.  "She's just...letting her fear get the best of her right now.  Everything will be okay."

"Thank you." Justin said as he sat up and put his arms around her.

"You're welcome." Rachel said, hugging him back.  "Now," Rachel continued as he pulled back and they both stood up.  "I need you to do me a favor."

"What's that?" Justin asked as they walked back towards the front door.

"I need you to help me remind JC about our appointment tomorrow afternoon with the caterer." Rachel told him.  "I don't want to nag him about it, but I don't want him to forget about it.  I figure, since you're the best man, this is one of your responsibilities." She grinned at him.  "I need you to help me to keep him on track and focused."

Justin chuckled.  "What time is he supposed to be meeting you tomorrow?"

"Two o'clock." Rachel replied as she opened the door.

"I'll do my best." Justin nodded once as he stepped outside. 

"Thank you." Rachel smiled then watched as he walked out to his Escalade and drove away.  Alrighty, one crisis averted.  She thought to herself as she pulled her cell phone from her pocket.  Why hadn't Megan called her back yet?  She was half tempted to catch the next flight to Phoenix to force her best friend to talk to her, but Rachel knew this was how Megan worked.  When she was really upset about something she pulled away and isolated herself until she was able to process everything.  She would call when she was ready to talk. 

At least I know she's alive. Rachel thought as she walked into the kitchen and looked at the mess of papers waiting for her on the table.  She had to make a decision about which shop space she wanted to put an offer in on and she was putting it off.  But time was running out.  She was going to have to start paying back on her business loan pretty soon and she didn't have any revenue coming in.  It was time to get the ball rolling.

~~~~~~~

Justin took a deep breath before reaching out and knocking at Aubrey's door later that afternoon.  After talking with Rachel, he had decided she was right.  He needed to stop assuming things and take Aubrey out--remind her that they were just a regular couple.  They needed time to be together and he needed to show her that they could have a normal life despite the popularity his chosen career garnered him.  He needed to reassure her that everything was going to be okay; that whatever it was she was afraid of, could be overcome as long as they remained open and honest with one another.    

He heard the doorknob jiggle and straightened slightly, his heart skipping.  Though they had talked on the phone almost every day, he hadn't seen his fiancée in over week and he was anxious to be able to touch and kiss her once again.  His excitement faded a bit however, when Grams opened the front door. 

"Hello." The older woman greeted him with a smile. 

"Hi." Justin answered.  "Is, uh...is Aubrey home?" He stuttered--stumbling awkwardly as if he were there on a first date. 

Grams smiled as she stepped back, opening the door wider.  "She's back in her bedroom." She replied.  "What took you so long?  That girl has been driving me crazy, moping around here all week without you."  She continued as Justin stepped into the house.  "I hope you've come to fix that." She said as she closed the front door.

Justin smiled.  "Well, that's the plan." He replied.  "I hope you don't mind if I kidnap her for a few hours."

"Take her!" Grams exclaimed, and Justin chuckled.  "As long as you bring her back with a smile on her face, I don't care how long you two are gone."

"Can I get that in writing?" Justin teased and Grams laughed. 

"Go get her." She said, shooing him down the hall.  "Second door on the left." She informed him.  "And don't let her give you any sass."

Justin couldn't help chuckling as he walked down the hallway to Aubrey's bedroom.  Grams was something else.  He hadn't spent a whole lot of time with the woman, but every time he interacted with her, he grew to like her more and more.  It gave his confidence a boost to know she was rooting for him.  He stopped outside the specified door and raised his hand.  He paused before knocking--taking a deep breath and sending a prayer of supplication heavenward.  He needed tonight to work.  Releasing the breath he had been holding, Justin tentatively knocked on Aubrey's bedroom door.

~~~~~~~

"Come in." Aubrey called at the knock to her bedroom door.  She glanced up from where she sat cross-legged on her bed in front of her laptop--her brows furrowed slightly.  Grams usually knocked and then came in--she didn't wait to be asked.  Her breath caught and her heart skipped a few beats as a familiar pair of blue eyes met hers.  "Justin." She breathed, setting aside the textbook and notepad that had been in her lap, and stood.

"Hey, pretty girl." He smiled at her.  Aubrey walked over to him and put her arms around his waist--resting her head against his chest as she hugged him tightly. 

As much as she hated herself for feeling like she was leading him on, the fact of the matter remained that she loved him.  This last week apart from him had been torture.  As Justin put his arms around her--holding her close--Aubrey hungrily soaked in the love and comfort she gained by once more being in his arms.  She took a deep breath, inhaling his familiar and intoxicating aroma.  He had a smell that was all his own, and she hadn't realized until that moment how much she had missed it.  They stayed that way--wrapped in each other's arms--for a few moments until Justin lowered his head, his lips brushing against her temple. 

"I missed you." He whispered, sending a tingle running down her spine.

"I missed you, too." She replied, tightening her arms around him. 

"I came to ask you out to dinner." He informed her. 

Aubrey pulled back and looked up at him.  "Dinner?" She questioned. 

"Yes, dinner." He replied.  "You know--the meal you usually eat after lunch but before you go to bed." His lips lifted slightly in a grin and Aubrey's heart skipped at the teasingly sparkle in his blue eyes. 

"I'm not dressed." She told him.

Justin pulled back slightly--his eyes traveling over her slowly then once more meeting hers.  "You look dressed to me." He remarked. 

"You know what I mean." Aubrey replied, slapping his arm playfully.  "I'm not ready to go out anywhere."  There was no way she was going to dinner with him with her hair up in a messy ponytail and wearing her worn-out jeans and the old, gray Army T-shirt she'd had since high school. The press had already said some nasty things about her and she didn't want to give them anymore ammo.  

"You're perfect." He insisted.  "Where we're going...it's just going to be the two of us."  Aubrey looked at him in question.  "Please?" He begged softly as he lifted one hand to cup her cheek.

"Do you promise?" She asked.

"That you're perfect?" He questioned.  "Absolutely!" He exclaimed with a grin.

Aubrey chuckled.  "No." She shook her head.  "That it's just going to be the two of us?"  He nodded.  "No paparazzi?" She asked.  "No cameras?"

"No cameras." He echoed as he lowered his head, finally placing a soft kiss to her lips.  Aubrey closed her eyes, a quiet sigh escaping her.  "Just the two of us." He promised-his warm breath fanning over her lips.

"How is that even possible?" She asked, wanting to believe him but finding it difficult.  She opened her eyes once more to look at him. 

"Trust me." He replied, his blue eyes delving into hers.  Her stomach began to quiver from the intensity of his gaze.  Justin's lips lifted into a smile a second before he pressed them against hers.  Aubrey sighed once more as she melted against him, returning his kiss fully.  "Is that a yes?" He asked, pulling back after a few moments. 

She was quiet for a moment as she looked up at him then finally nodded.  "Yes."  Again, he smiled and again he captured her mouth in a hungry kiss.  He lifted his other hand, his fingers sinking into her hair as he tilted her head to the side to deepen the kiss.  Aubrey's hands rested on his slim hips, her fingers fisting the material of his shirt as she pulled him closer and allowed him to completely ravage her mouth.

"It's been too long, Aubrey Janae..." Justin groaned as he finally came up for air--resting his forehead against hers.  Aubrey slowly opened her eyes, meeting his.  "I always seem to be waiting for you." He mused quietly as he brushed one thumb along her cheek bone.  "Let's go." He said.   

"Can you at least let me do something with my hair?" She asked. 

"No." He shook his head.  "I told you." He said, kissing the end of her nose.  "You're perfect." He pulled back to look at her.  "All you need is a sweatshirt or a jacket for later.  Maybe a blanket.  It might get cold." 

"A blanket?" She questioned.  "Where are we--" But Justin cut her off with a shake of his head and a finger against her lips.

"Don't ask questions, Aubrey Janae." He replied.  "Just trust me.  Trust me, and put this on." Aubrey watched as he pulled a long scrap of fabric from his pocket. 

"Is that a blindfold?" She asked, taking a step back.

"Ah!" Justin held up a finger and looked at her pointedly.  "I said no questions.  Now, turn around." Aubrey narrowed her eyes as she looked at him for a moment, then slowly did as he requested.  She closed her eyes as Justin put the blindfold over them and secured it at the back of her head.  "Trust me." He breathed in her ear, a shiver running down her spine as his hands ran down her arms. 

"Do I have a choice?" She asked, tilting her head to the side as he slid his fingers in between hers.  Goosebumps broke over her as he wrapped both of their arms around her--their fingers still entwined.

"Nope." He answered, placing his lips against her cheek.

Aubrey smiled as she leaned back slightly against him.  "My sweatshirt is in the closet." She told him, disappointment filling her as he released her and took a step away. "Or there's a blanket there on the end of my bed." She said, pointing towards were she knew her bed was.  She listened as Justin moved around her room.  She turned when she heard the closet door open and lifted her hand to the blindfold to peek beneath it, but Justin suddenly placed his hand over hers. 

"Uh-uh." He scolded.  "No peeking.  I'll tie you up if I have to." He threatened.

"Promise?" She asked, the word escaping her before she could stop it.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, though it did nothing to hide her smile. 

"Girl..." Aubrey jumped slightly as Justin suddenly growled in her ear.  She giggled. 

"Justin?"

"No questions." He replied as he took her hand.  "Let's go."

~~~~~~~

"I feel ridiculous." Aubrey exclaimed.  She gripped Justin's hand tightly as he led her blindly from his truck to wherever it was he was taking her.  She stubbed the toe of her tennis shoe on a rock and bumped into him--grabbing onto his arm with her free hand.

"You okay?" He asked as he stopped walking. 

"Yeah." She nodded.  "Where are you taking me?"

"The best restaurant in town." He replied.  Aubrey could hear the smile in his voice and it made her own lips turn up. 

"However did you manage to get reservations?" She teased.

"I brought sexy back." He stated simply, and Aubrey laughed.  After a few more moments of walking, Aubrey felt the solid ground they had been on, give way to what felt like sand.  Finally, they came to a stop. 

"Can I look now?" Aubrey asked. 

"Not yet." Justin replied as he let go of her hand. 

"Am I just supposed to stand here?" She asked with a chuckle.

"Yes." He answered. 

"Did I mention, I feel ridiculous?" She questioned with a laugh.

"Nobody's here." Justin assured her with a chuckle as he placed his lips against hers in a quick kiss.  "Now be quiet for a minute."

Aubrey did as he asked, standing quietly as she listened to the sounds he was making, trying to figure out what he was doing.  She knew they were at the beach somewhere and the anticipation was starting to get to her.  When he'd shown up at her house, asking her out to dinner, she had assumed he was going to take her to some fancy restaurant somewhere in town but as she listened to him set up dinner she had a hard time containing her smile.  It made her feel special--knowing he had put so much time and thought into this whole thing. 

She felt it as he came to stand in front of her and she tipped her head up towards him.  She reached her hands out, feeling for his shoulders.  When she found them, Aubrey slowly slid her hands up to his face then--going up on her toes slightly--she pulled his head down and pressed her lips against his.  Justin reached behind her as she continued kissing him and untied the blindfold.  As they pulled apart, Aubrey blinked as she looked at him.  He leaned down and kissed her again then took her hand and pulled her over to the blanket he had taken from her bed and laid down on the sand.

Aubrey looked around as she sat down.  The strip of beach they were on was secluded--surrounded by the trees and overgrowth that separated it from the highway--and very private.  It was the perfect little hideaway and he had followed through with his promise--there wasn't a camera in sight.  "How did you find this place?" She asked as she sat down and looked out over the expanse of ocean in front of them. 

"By accident." He replied.  "I found it one day a few years ago when I was trying to get away from..." he paused.  "Everything going on around me."  Aubrey watched as Justin gazed out at the water.  "I come out here sometimes when I need time alone to think.  There aren't any fans or paparazzi around." He continued as he turned to look at her.  "I can just be me."

Aubrey leaned over and placed her lips against his.  "Thank you." She told him, putting a hand against his face.  He smiled as he pulled her back, kissing her again.  As the kiss began to heat up, Aubrey's stomach suddenly rumbled embarrassingly loud, causing Justin to pull back with a laugh.

"Hungry?" He asked with a smirk.

"Starving." She replied with a smile.  "What did you bring?" She asked, gesturing towards the duffle bag sitting next to him on the sand. 

"Food." He replied.

"Smart ass." She replied, nudging him with her shoulder.  He chuckled as he placed his hand against her face again, pressing his lips against hers once more.  "Really." Aubrey asked, pulling back once more.  "What did you bring?"

~~~~~~~~ 

Justin's eyes stayed locked on Aubrey's for a moment then he turned and opened the bag he'd brought with the food in it.  "BLT's." He told her, pulling out the sandwiches and handing one to her.

"Did you make these?" Aubrey asked. 

He nodded, glancing over at her as he pulled out the bottle of wine he'd brought.  "Here," he said, handing her one of the wine glasses he'd brought.

"Glasses?" She asked, looking at the glass and then at him in amazement.  "You really went all out here."

"I told you this was the best restaurant in town, didn't I?" He asked with a wink as he uncorked the wine.  She smiled, nodding as he held up the bottle, silently asking if she wanted some.  Justin poured some of the red liquid first into her glass, then into his, and then stuck the bottle in the sand next to him.  He turned and watched as Aubrey lifted her glass, pressing to her lips as she took a drink.  He watched her closely--the image before him suddenly reminding him of the first time he had realized he had feelings for her.  It was hard to believe that that fateful birthday party where he had sat at Rachel and JC's table, watching Aubrey sip her wine, had been only a year ago. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked, breaking him from his thoughts.  "What are you thinking?"

"I was just thinking..." He paused as he scooted closer to her.  "I was thinking about your birthday last year." He admitted. 

"My birthday?" She asked setting her glass down between her legs and unwrapping the sandwich he had given her.  "Why were you thinking about that?" She asked looking over at him as she took a bite.

"I think about it a lot, actually." He confessed as he bit into his own sandwich.

"Really?" She asked and he nodded.  "Why?" She questioned. 

He took another bite before answering.  "I always wonder what would have happened if I had followed through on the thoughts and feelings I was having that night and kissed you." He told her.   

"You did kiss me." She reminded him as she took a sip of her wine. 

"Only on the cheek." He replied.

"Well, it was still a very special kiss." She told him, smiling at him.  "Good thing I'm having another birthday in a few weeks." She continued.  "And this time...you can kiss me all you want."

Justin laughed.  "Oh, I'm planning on it." He replied.  "After the party you threw for me and that tattoo you got...you're going to have a very happy birthday this year."

"Oh yeah?" She asked with an excited sparkle in her eyes.  He nodded.  "Are you going to clue me in or is it a big surprise?" She asked taking another bite of her sandwich.

Justin pursed his lips for a moment as he thought about it.  "It's a surprise." He finally said, wanting to keep his plans a secret.  After all it was only fair; she had surprised him now it was his turn to return the favor.  

"Well, I know it can't be anything too extravagant." She informed him as she picked up her wine glass again and took another sip. 

"How do you know that?" He asked, curious.

"Because you're going to be out on tour." She reminded him.

"I do have a few days off here and there." He replied.  "Plenty of time for us to..." He stopped as she looked over at him in sudden interest.  "Plenty of time for a good birthday surprise." He finished and Aubrey narrowed her eyes at him.  "Trust me." He grinned and gave her a wink.

"Okay." Aubrey giggled.  "Whatever you say." 

~~~~~~~  

They continued eating-talking and laughing-as the rest of the world went on without them.  For that hour, she was able to forget about the fact that in a matter of days now, Justin was going to be gone and she wasn't going to see him for weeks at a time.  Aubrey was able to forget about her fears and insecurities and pretend that they were just a regular, normal couple out on a date. 

As the sun began to dip lower in the sky Justin finally stood, brushing the sand from his pants. "Are we leaving?" Aubrey asked, looking up at him in disappointment.  She didn't want the evening to end.

"No." He answered.  "Unless you want to?"  She shook her head and he smiled.  "I was just going to look around and see if I could find some driftwood so we could build a fire." He told her.  "It's going to start getting cold now that the sun is setting."

"Can I help?" Aubrey asked as she stood next to him.

"Yeah." Justin nodded.  "You can find a couple of good roasting sticks." He told her. 

"Okay." Aubrey smiled. 

"Meet back here in ten minutes?" He asked.

"Deal." She nodded.  They parted with a kiss and each went in search of what they were looking for.

It took her longer than she thought to find two "roasting" sticks, but eventually, Aubrey found two that she thought Justin would approve of and made her way back to the blanket.  She stopped as she approached their picnic spot, cocking her head as she watched Justin setting up a small campfire.  For some reason it surprised her that he knew how to build a campfire, but as she continued to watch him, her lips lifted in a smile.  It was moments like this that she craved--moments when he was just a regular guy; where she could forget about the cameras always following them around and just enjoy being with him.

She watched as he took a book of matches from his back pocket.  He struck one match and lit the tinder he had gathered then leaned over the pile of wood.  A shiver ran down her spine as Aubrey watched him blow on the flames, trying to coax them to life.  That simple, innocent action suddenly caused her mouth to go dry as her body suddenly reminded her how long it had been since they had been together.  Her eyes became fixated on his lips as her mind was flooded with images and thoughts about what that beautiful mouth of his was capable of doing to her.

"Hey, pretty girl." He said, turning to look over his shoulder at her. 

Aubrey swallowed and shook her head, trying to clear it of the distracting thoughts.  "Hey." She smiled as she walked over to him.  "Will these work?" She asked, holding out the two sticks she had found.

"Perfect." He grinned.  "Come here." He said, patting the spot next to him. 

"What are these for?" She asked as she sat down next to him. 

"The marshmallows." He replied as he reached over and grabbed his duffle bag again.  Aubrey grinned.  She shivered slightly as a breeze picked up around them.  "Here." Justin said, reaching over, handing her the sweatshirt he had grabbed for her. 

"Thank you." Aubrey smiled.  She handed him the sticks and put the sweatshirt on. 

"Do you want one or two?" He asked opening the bag of marshmallows he had brought. 

"Uh..." She drew her knees up and wrapped her arms around her legs.  "Two." She told him.  She watched as he speared two and then handed her one of the sticks.  Aubrey held the stick out, over the flames, and watched as the marshmallows began to toast.  Silence fell between them as Justin held out his own stick next to her.  Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as her thoughts began to wander.  She didn't want tonight to ever end.  She hated that she couldn't just enjoy this time with him.  Why did her thoughts always have to intrude?

"Make a wish." Justin told her quietly.

"What?" Aubrey asked, turning to look at him.

He pointed up at the sky.  "Make a wish." He said, pointing out the first star of the evening.  Aubrey closed her eyes.

~~~~~~~

Justin watched her closely.  "What did you wish for?" He asked as she opened her eyes again. 

"If I tell you, then it won't come true." She told him quietly.

"If you don't tell me, I can't help it come true." He replied, nudging her with his shoulder.  Aubrey smiled.  "Come on, Aubrey Janae..." he prodded.  "What did you wish for?"

Aubrey was quiet for a moment.  He watched as she chewed on her bottom lip.  "I wished..." she began the paused.  She sighed.  "I wished it could always be like this between us." She confessed.  Again there was silence between them as he sat there, trying to work up the courage to ask her the question he needed an answer to.

"If I ask you a question," Justin began hesitantly.  "Will you give me an honest answer?"  Aubrey turned to look at him, her expression unreadable.  She was quiet for a moment--her eyes meeting his--and he wished, once again that he were a mind reader.  He would give anything to know what she was thinking; to know what she was afraid of and to be able to give her the reassurance she needed. 

Aubrey finally nodded, giving him permission to ask his question.  Justin turned to look at the fire in front of them--unable, suddenly, to meet her gaze any longer.  He swallowed nervously then forced the words out, bracing himself against the pain he knew was sure to come with her answer. 

"Do you still want to be with me?"     

~~~~~~~

Aubrey's knees dropped at Justin's question and she dropped her gaze from looking at him.  She folded her legs beneath her and pulled the roasting stick from the fire.  Nervously, she began to pick at the toasted marshmallows--her heart beating painfully in her chest.  He had sensed her hesitancy and withdrawal this last week and was calling her on it.  Why did he have to ask that question?  She wondered. Why did he have to bring their enjoyable evening to a screeching halt?  Why couldn't they just enjoy this time together? 

Why did she have to think so hard about her answer?

"I just need an answer." He continued.  "One way or the other.  I just need to know."

Aubrey remained quiet for another minute.  She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "I made a list." She finally told him.  "A few days ago...of the things I really want in life."

"Am I on the list?" Justin asked quietly--the vulnerability in his voice causing her to finally look at him.

"Yes." She told him. 

"But?" He questioned, sensing her hesitancy.

"But..." Aubrey took a deep breath as she looked back at the marshmallows on her stick. "I don't want everything that comes along with you." She confessed.  "And lately..." She stopped, chewing on her bottom lip-fighting against the tears that wanted to fall. "Lately, I feel like all I'm doing is leading you on."

"Aubrey, I--"

"Just," she cut him off as she held up one hand and turned to look at him again.  "Just let me talk, okay?" She asked.  He nodded.  "I never imagined living this kind of life, Justin.  I'm not cut out for it.  I'm not..."  She shook her head and closed her eyes, swallowing against the sudden lump in her throat.  "I love you." She stated as she looked at him.  "More than anything, but I hate that you're a celebrity.  I hate that we can't have a normal relationship.  I hate that I constantly doubt myself around you.  I don't want to have my picture continually in the newspaper or on TV.  I don't want everybody talking about what I wore to dinner last night or to the last awards show and how it's not what I should be wearing.  I don't like being the center of attention and I don't want to have to sit and wait patiently at home while you're off traveling the world, performing every night."

"What do you want?" Justin asked, the look in his blue eyes making her have to look away--she couldn't stand the hurt and disappointment there, knowing she had been the one to cause it.

"I want to have a normal life." She told him.  "I want to teach.  I want to have a home and a family and a husband who comes home every night and helps me put the kids to bed.  I don't want my children growing up in the spotlight--being exposed to that kind of lifestyle-and I don't know..."  She paused, fighting against her emotions.  She took a deep breath.  "I don't know if you can give me any of that." She told him, her voice cracking. 

"How do you know?" He asked, his voice strained.  "You haven't even asked me."

Aubrey turned her body so she was facing him.  "Can you give me those things, Justin?" She asked, unashamed of the tear that slipped down her cheek.  "Can you give me a normal life?"

"Yes." He stated emphatically.

"How?" She asked, incredulously.  "How in the world can you give me a normal life?  Do you know who you are?"

"I can sell the house." He told her, a desperate look in his blue eyes.  "We can move wherever you want."

"And what about your career?" She asked him.  "What about the tour?  And the guys?"

"I don't care about any of that." He insisted.  "Do you know how much money I have?  I don't have to work another day in my life if I don't want to!"

"You can't just walk away!" Aubrey insisted.  "You have the group and your record label and--" 

"I can." Justin cut her off as he reached out, putting his hands on her upper arms.  "I can and I will." He insisted, his eyes holding hers steadily.  "You just say the word."

"Justin..."

"I've done it before." He continued.  "And I'll do it again if I have to."  She shook her head.  "I don't think you're understanding me, Aubrey." He continued, before she could say anything.  "You are more important to me than anything!  You are my everything, Aubrey Janae.  If you want a normal life, then that's what I'll give you.  You want kids?  Let's start the adoption process going.  You want to move?  Let's start looking at houses.  We can move back to Tennessee or Virginia if you want to be close to your family or wherever the hell you want to move.  You want a husband who's going to be home everyday?  Let's get married and I'll stay home.  Whatever you want, tell me and I'll do it!"

Aubrey sat there looking at him, stunned.  "You...you're willing to give it all up?" She asked, her bottom lip trembling.  "For me?"  He nodded.  "Why?" 

"Because I love you!" He answered.  "Because you're the only one who truly understands me-the only one I've told all of my secrets to.  I will do anything for you, Aubrey." He continued.  "Why don't you believe me?" She looked at him, unable to stop the tears from falling.  Justin lifted both of his hands, placing them against her face.  "I love you." He breathed.  "When I put that ring on your finger it was with the promise that I would do whatever it took to make you happy; to make you smile.  If me walking away from everything will do that, then that's what I'm prepared to do." 

Aubrey sat there in stunned silence.  He was willing to walk away from everything that made him who he was?  Everything he loved?  For her?  What had she done to garner that level of devotion and commitment from him?  "Justin, I..." She trailed off, not knowing how to respond or what to say.  She hadn't expected his passionate response to her admission and had to mentally take a step back. Slowly, she was finally beginning to understand how much he truly did love her, and it took her breath away.  Why was she so afraid of loving him in return?  Why was she holding back, unwilling to completely trust him, when he was prepared to turn his back on everything and everyone tonight just to make her happy?

"I don't want you to walk away from everything." She heard herself telling him.  While a part of her was ready to jump at his offer, the logical side of her knew that he would eventually regret this decision to leave everything and in the process grow to resent her for forcing him to make this choice.  She couldn't do it.  "That's part of what makes you who you are.  I don't want to take that away from you."

"But?" He questioned. 

Aubrey shook her head.  "No, buts." She told him.  "Just a question.  Did you mean what you said about moving to Tennessee?"  He nodded.  "And...adopting?  Did you change your mind about wanting to have kids?"

"Change my mind?" He asked.  "What do you mean?"

"The first time I asked you about whether or not you ever wanted to get married and have kids you got this terrified look in your eyes and you lied to me-telling me ‘maybe.'  Do you remember?"

He looked at her for a moment, his eyes narrowing as he searched for the memory.  "It was after we had gone paint balling?  Right?" He asked.  Aubrey nodded, impressed that he had remembered.  Justin stroked his thumbs across her cheeks.  "In that case, yes.  I changed my mind.  I want to have kids, but only on one condition."

"What's that?" She asked, trying not to get her hopes up.

"Actually, I have two." He clarified.  "Number one." He dropped his hands from her face and lifted one finger in front of her.  "We first look into if there's any possibility that we," he gestured back and forth between them, "can have our own baby. And two," he continued quickly, holding up another finger when she opened her mouth to respond.  "You have to marry me first.  Call me old fashioned, but any baby we bring into our family is going to have the same last name as both of its parents."

"Have you thought about this a lot?" Aubrey questioned, taken back at his conditions.

"Some." He shrugged, his cheeks warming slightly.  Aubrey felt her lips turn up in a smile and butterflies suddenly appeared in her stomach at the knowledge that Justin had thought about having a baby with her. 

"Okay." She told him.

"Okay?" He questioned. 

"Okay." She nodded.  "I accept your conditions." A slow smile spread across Justin's face.  "I'm sorry." Aubrey offered.

"About what?" He questioned.

"About freaking out on you just now." She replied.  "I know I've been acting weird lately, and I'm sorry.  I just..." She shrugged.  "I still find it all hard to believe--the way my life has turned out.  I don't handle change very well and there have been a lot of changes recently." 

"Come here." Justin said scooting around so he was facing her, and opening his arms.  Aubrey crawled over and curled up between his legs, wrapping her arms around his waist as she laid her head against his chest.  Justin put his arms around her, holding her tightly.  "Just keep talking to me." He pled as he lowered his head, placing his lips against her forehead.  "If this is going to last we've got to work on our communication."  Aubrey nodded against him.  "And you have to trust me."  He pulled back slightly and Aubrey looked up at him.  "Do you trust me?" He asked.

Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth.  Here was the test.  She could see the question in his eyes-what was her answer going to be?  "Yes." She told him, feeling the truth of that one word throughout her entire being.  For the first time, she could honestly say that she trusted him.  They had both been brutally honest with each other tonight and because of that, Aubrey felt more secure in their relationship than she ever had.

"Then here's my next question." Justin continued.  "Will you move in with me?"

Aubrey's heart skipped a few beats and her stomach quivered at the look in his blue eyes.  Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and stepped off the edge of the cliff she had been walking since she had met him.  "Yes."   

End Notes:

the drama continues...stay tuned for the next installment...

Chapter 12 by azchickadee
Rachel crossed her arms over her chest the next afternoon.  She looked at her watch and took several deep breaths, trying to calm her flaring anger.  He was late.  Damn it, Joshua!  She cursed.  Where are you?

"Rachel?"

She looked up as a middle-aged woman called her name.  Rachel stood up, turning to glance out the front windows as she slung her purse over her shoulder--hoping to see JC.  She let out a sigh of disappointment when he was nowhere in sight.  She forced a smile on her face as she introduced herself to Melissa, who was going to be her contact with the catering company.

"Is..." Melissa looked down at the clipboard she was holding.  "JC, going to be joining us?"

"He was supposed to," Rachel replied.  "But it looks like he's been held up somewhere, so let's just go on without him."

"Okay." Melissa smiled.  "Don't worry," she continued.  "Most grooms aren't really into all this planning stuff anyway.  All that matters is that he shows up at the church on time, right?" She laughed.

"Right." Rachel replied, laughing politely though she didn't find anything funny about the situation. 

"Alright." Melissa began as she led Rachel into a small office and sat down behind a desk.  "Why don't you tell me what you're planning and thinking about?"

After talking with Melissa for the next forty minutes about different menu options and ideas, Rachel had almost forgotten she was upset at JC for missing another wedding appointment--until her phone vibrated and she saw his name flash across the screen. 

"Do you need to get that?" Melissa asked.

"No." Rachel replied, sending the call to voicemail.  She slipped the phone into her purse.  She didn't want to talk to him right now--it would be an angry conversation and she didn't feel like getting into it with him right now, especially in front of the caterer.  "I'm sorry, what were we talking about?" She asked, her train of thought from before completely gone.

"We were going to set up our next meeting." Melissa reminded her. 

"That's right!" Rachel exclaimed, digging in her purse for her day planner.  Her phone vibrated in her purse and she looked down at it.  Seeing she had received a text she flipped it open.

I'm sorry.  I'm stuck in a meeting.  Call me.

Rachel pursed her lips as she read JC's message then jammed the phone back into her purse. A meeting?  She replied flippantly in her head.  Really?  Couldn't come up with a better excuse than that?  "Sorry." She said, pasting a smile on her face and forcing the angry thoughts from her head as she flipped the calendar open. 

"The wedding is May twenty-second, right?" Melissa asked.

"Yes." Rachel nodded.  I hope.  She replied in her head.  With the way things where going with JC at the moment she didn't know what the plan was anymore!

"Alright, then let's plan to meet about three weeks before that to finalize everything and then we'll stay in contact with each other over the phone after that up until the big day."

"Sounds good." Rachel replied.  "So do you want to meet on the twenty-eighth of April?"

"That will work for me, if that works for you."

"That works." Rachel smiled, penciling in the appointment.  She flipped back a few pages in the day planner, glancing over the weeks between now and the wedding.  There's still so much to get done!  She thought.  She was about to close the book, when her eye caught something that made her heart skip a beat.  Frantically she turned back a few pages, hoping she'd misread the information.  She fought to breathe as she hurriedly counted the days again.  "Damn it!" She breathed.

"Is everything okay?" Melissa asked.

Rachel's head snapped up, her eyes connecting with the other woman's--suddenly remembering where she was.  "What?  Yes." She replied, standing quickly.  "I-I'm sorry.  I...I have to go." She stuttered as she grabbed her purse.  "Thank you." She said, shaking hands with Melissa.  "I'll see you in April."

Rachel turned and quickly left the office, hurrying outside.  She put a hand over her mouth as the urge to throw up suddenly overcame her.  Stubbornly she fought the feeling back as she all but ran to her car.  Slipping behind the wheel and closing the door Rachel gripped the steering wheel as she fought to breath.  Passing out right now wasn't going to do anybody any good. 

"I can't do this right now." She said aloud.  "How in the hell am I supposed to deal with this right now?!" She exclaimed.  She leaned forward, resting her forehead against the steering wheel, and closed her eyes.  Why was everything falling apart?  She was trying so hard, but no matter what she did it seemed that for every two steps she took she got knocked back one.  And this was a huge step backwards.  Why hadn't she caught this before now?  She'd been so busy lately with everything going on but that was no excuse.  How did this happen? She thought. 

The urge to throw up once came once more and Rachel was about to open her car door when she heard her cell phone vibrating in her purse.  Reaching for it out of habit she prayed it wasn't who she thought it was.  How was she going to explain this to him?  She sat back in surprise as a different name flashed across her screen. 

"Hi." Rachel breathed as she put the phone against her ear. 

"Hi." Megan replied hesitantly. 

Rachel felt tears start to form in her eyes at the sound of her best friend's voice.  She blinked them back as she swallowed.  She wanted to cry like a baby to Megan about everything going on right now but she held her emotions back.  Now wasn't the time to fall apart.  She didn't know exactly what was going on right now with her best friend, but instinctively, Rachel knew that Megan needed her to be the strong one right now.

"Did I call at a bad time?" Megan asked at Rachel's continued silence. 

Rachel cleared her throat before answering.  "No." She shook her head, though Megan couldn't see her.  "You have perfect timing, as usual.  I just got out of a meeting with our caterer and I now have the rest of the day free."  She dug in her purse again, finally pulling out her Bluetooth.  Turning it on and putting it in her ear, Rachel started her car and pulled out of her parking spot.  "Are you okay?" She asked, needing that question answered before anything else was said between them. 

"I don't know." Megan replied, her voice wavering.

Don't start crying, Megs.  Rachel pled with her silently.  She was holding onto her emotions by a thread and she knew it wouldn't take very much to send her over the edge right now.  "What's going on?" Rachel asked as she left the parking lot and began driving towards home. 

~~~~~~~

JC walked into the house later that afternoon, knowing he was in trouble.  He had missed the appointment with the caterer.  It wasn't that he had forgotten--Rachel had had the date programmed into the Blackberry she had bought for him last week, and even Justin had reminded him about the appointment--but he had been stuck.  He had tried to leave the meeting they had all been in but hadn't been able to.  He had tried to call her--to tell her he hadn't forgotten--but she hadn't answered.  JC had left her a voicemail, explaining everything and had sent her a text, but both had gone unanswered and he knew there was going to be hell to pay for missing another appointment.

"Rachel?" He called out tentatively, but she didn't answer.  He knew she was home--her car was in the garage.  Closing the door behind him he went in search of her, prepared to grovel and beg her forgiveness.  As he walked through the house--first downstairs then up--calling her name, JC began to get a little worried.  She didn't seem to be anywhere. 

"Rachel?" He called out as he walked into their bedroom.  The room was beginning to darken as the sun went down and at fist glance she didn't appear to be in there either.  As he turned to leave, however, he heard a sound and stopped.  "Rach?" He asked, walking further into the room.  JC walked around the bed and finally found her, sitting on the floor against the bed with her knees drawn up and her head buried in her arms--crying. 

"Rachel?" He asked, suddenly concerned.  "What's wrong?" He questioned as he sat down next to her.  He couldn't remember the last time he had seen her cry this hard and it worried him.  Something terrible must have happened.

"Everything is falling apart." She sobbed, her voice muffled as she kept her face hidden from him. 

JC put his arms around her, and she fell against him-her arms going around him as she buried her head against his chest and clung to him desperately.  JC held her close as she continued to cry.  He rubbed one hand up and down her back as he lowered his head, his lips brushing against her forehead.  "What's going on?" He asked quietly.  He hated seeing her cry.  Knowing she was upset and hurting was the worst feeling.  It made him feel like he had failed in some way; like he wasn't living up to his unspoken promise to her to always make her happy.  Her tears started to calm, but Rachel remained quiet as she stayed curled up against him.  "Tell me what's wrong, Sass." JC pled.  "Please?"

Rachel slowly sat up, moving out of his arms.  Her eyes were red and her cheeks were tearstained as she looked at him.  JC's heart broke as he saw the pain and sadness in her eyes.  "Megan and Jackson have separated." She told him.  JC pulled back slightly, blinking in surprise, but she continued before he could say anything.  "Justin thinks Aubrey is about to break up with him, you and Justin still haven't really talked to each other since his birthday and I...I think I'm..."  She looked down at her hands.  "Everything is falling apart." She repeated, her voice cracking with emotion.  "I can't do it anymore."  She shook her head as she leaned her head against him again.  "I can't do it anymore."

~~~~~~~~

Rachel tightened her arms around JC's waist, wishing they could just stay like this forever.  She had reached her breaking point today and she didn't want to deal with anything anymore.  She didn't want to deal with the stress of planning a wedding anymore.  She didn't want to worry about finding a space to open up shop for her business.  She didn't want to think about the fact that her best friend and her husband weren't married anymore and possibly wouldn't be again. 

"Do you want to go get some ice cream?" JC asked quietly, breaking her from her thoughts.  Rachel sat back as she looked at him. 

"Ice cream?" She asked, looking at him in question.  "Are you crazy?"

"What?" He asked with a shrug, looking at her innocently.

"I'm sitting here crying and all you can think about is food?  Really?!" Rachel replied hotly.  His apparent disregard of her feelings, making her angry.  Didn't he realize that she needed to talk--not eat--right now?  "Do you want to order some take-out while you're at it?" She asked sarcastically.

"No."  JC replied with a chuckle.  Rachel glared at him.  "I'm just suddenly having a craving for some mint chocolate chip ice cream." He informed her as he stood.

"I'm pretty sure we have some in the freezer--"

"I don't want that ice cream." JC said, cutting her off as he reached for her hands and pulled her to her feet.  "I want some different ice cream."

"Some different ice cream?" Rachel asked, looking at him like he was crazy.

"Yep." He nodded.  "And you look like you need some different ice cream right now too.  I know the perfect place." 

"I don't want to go get ice cream right now!" Rachel exclaimed as she pulled her hand from his.  "Look at me!  I'm having a nervous breakdown here, JC!  My best friend finally called me back this afternoon, after I've been worried sick about her for the last three days, only to tell me that she and her husband aren't even married anymore because apparently he's still married to his first wife whom he thought was dead!" She began pacing in front of him.  "Justin came over the other day to inform me that he thinks Aubrey is going to break up with him and he doesn't know what to do about it, but apparently I have all the answers and am the only one who can tell him what he needs to do!" She threw her hands up in the air.  "You're getting ready to leave in a few days and I'm trying not to think about how much it's going to hurt to have to say good-bye to you and stay here all by myself while you're gone!  I still can't find a place to open up shop, which means I don't have any customers, which means I don't have any money coming in, which means that I'm not quite sure how I'm going to start paying back on that stupid loan I just got and you," she pointed at him, "want to go get ice cream right now?!"  She stopped to look at him.  "Really?!"  She asked, her chest rising and falling dramatically as she put her hands on her hips--anger coursing through her system.

JC stood looking at her in silence for a moment, his blue eyes taking her in.  "You're stressed out." He stated.

"Oh, really?  You think so?" Rachel replied sarcastically as she crossed her arms over her chest. 

JC took a step towards her, putting his hands on her upper arms.  "You're upset, I realize this." He began.  "Let's just get into the car and take drive somewhere.  You need to get out of the house for a little while." He told her.  "Get some fresh air and take a step back from everything.  Please?"

Rachel looked at him for a moment, her blood still pumping.  "Just get into the car?" She asked, as if she didn't believe it was that simple. 

The corners of JC's mouth twitched up as he fought a smile and Rachel saw a spark of mischief before he began singing, "Hop in the car and go with me.  You don't have to pack everything.  Don't you wanna feel the breeze?  And forget everything, baby."

Rachel pulled back, one eyebrow raised as she looked at JC.  She fought the smile she felt coming to her face despite the fact she had been crying and yelling only moments before.  "You're a dork." She told him.  "Really?" She asked as she put her hands on her hips once more.  "You're going to stand there and sing one of Justin's songs to me right now?"

"Whatever works." He shrugged with a grin and Rachel allowed him to pull her towards him.  JC wrapped his arms around her waist as he bent slightly, resting his chin on her shoulder as he hugged her close.  Rachel put her arms around his neck, blinking back the sudden tears that came as she inhaled his familiar and comforting scent.  This is what she needed.  She didn't need to get out of the house, she didn't need to get in the car and go for a ride, she just needed someone to hold her and tell her everything was going to be okay. 

As if he had read her mind, JC's arms tightened around her and he turned his head slightly, nuzzling her ear.  "Everything will be okay, Sass." He whispered.  Rachel tightened her hold on him as she attempted to get as close as possible to him even though she knew it was an empty promise.  He had no way of knowing anymore than she did how things were going to turn out!

"I look terrible." Rachel stated with a sniff as she pulled back slightly.  "You really want to be seen around town with me right now?" She asked.

"You look fine." He said as he brushed his thumb against her cheek, wiping away the remaining moisture.  "We can do the drive-thru thing and you can wear your sunglasses.  No one will know you've been crying." He smiled.

"Right." Rachel chuckled as she stepped back from him-running her fingers through her hair.  "They'll all just think I'm drunk." She replied dryly.

JC laughed as he put his hands on her shoulders and leaned forward, kissing her forehead.  Rachel smiled up at him.  "Come on." He said with a wink as he reached for her hand.  "Let's get out of here."

~~~~~~~~

JC looked over at Rachel as she sat, eating away at the chocolate peanut butter ice cream cone she had ordered.  He watched as she licked around the cone and wondered if she had any idea how sexy she was at the moment.  She had pulled her hair back into a ponytail and slipped on a black hoodie before they had left the house and he watched as she innocently crossed one long leg over the other--her tongue still working away at the ice cream.  She wasn't even trying and she made him hot.  He wanted nothing more than to just lean over and...

He shook his head and looked away.  His intention in this impromptu date tonight had been to distract her not to seduce her!  He looked out over the panoramic view of the valley below them--watching as the sky darkened and the lights flickered on--as he took a bite of his own ice cream.  He knew Rachel was going to want to talk about everything she'd told him earlier, but for the moment she seemed content to just sit there in silence.  So he waited.  When she was ready, she would let him know.

~~~~~~~

Rachel sat beside JC, taking a bite of her ice cream and feeling a little like she was doing something naughty.  She could hear her mother's voice in her head, scolding her as a child.  "Don't eat that right now.  You're going to spoil your appetite."  She smiled at the memory--a light breeze brushing over her.  She caught the lingering scent of the man sitting next to her.  Rachel turned to look at JC, her smile remaining as her eyes roamed over his profile.

She hadn't realized it until right now--sitting here with him--that she missed him.  Sure, they lived together, but they were each so busy with their individual projects and responsibilities right now that she felt like she hardly saw him anymore.  It was like they were living separate lives with only occasional visitation rights.  She sighed as she took the last bite of her ice cream cone and looked back over the valley spread out below them.  The next two months before the wedding with him being gone were going to be hard.  Especially now.  She thought as she sub-consciously placed a hand over her stomach.

"I think I'm pregnant." She blurted out before she could stop herself.

JC choked beside her.  "Excuse me?!" He asked, coughing as he looked at her in surprise.  Rachel looked over at him, chewing on her bottom lip.  "Pregnant?" He asked.  Rachel nodded.  "Are you..." He paused, coughing once more.  "Are you sure?"

Rachel shook her head.  "That's why I said, ‘I think.'"

JC cleared his throat as he looked down at his feet.  "Okay...what makes you think you're pregnant?  Aren't you on the pill?" He asked, looking back at her.

"I was." She told him.  He looked at her sharply.  "I am."  She clarified.  JC looked at her in confusion and she sighed.  "Okay, look.  I know you don't want a big explanation about how birth control works, and you probably don't give a damn anyway as long as it does, but every month I'm supposed to take a placebo that makes it so I can have a normal period." She paused.  "I think the placebo is stupid and I don't usually take it.  I just go back on the pill after my cycle ends only..." She looked down at her clasped hands in her lap.  "Only, I haven't started yet.  I'm late." She told him.

"How late?" JC asked.  Rachel gathered her courage and looked up at him, meeting his blue eyes once again.

"A week and a half." She answered, watching him closely--trying to gauge his reaction.  She couldn't tell if he was mad, upset, excited or just plain shocked.  His face was completely unreadable at the moment and Rachel felt like she was waiting for a bomb to explode as he remained silent. "I didn't realize anything was wrong until today."  She scrubbed her hands over her face, her shoulders dropping.  "I've been running a million miles an hour, trying to get everything taken care of, that I didn't even stop to think about it.  I was setting a follow up appointment with the caterer today and was taking a close look at my calendar when I figured it out." She explained.  "I thought we were safe.  I'm sorry." She murmured, not sure why she suddenly felt the need to apologize.  He was just as much to blame for this as she was! 

"Why are you sorry?" He asked, setting his dish of ice cream on the bench beside him.

"Because." She replied.  "This is my fault.  I should have been paying more attention.  This is a really bad time to have a baby.  I'm trying to get my business started, you're going to be gone, we've got the wedding to finish planning, and I don't want to be a pregnant bride." She confessed with a pout.

"Rachel." He stopped her with a chuckle, putting his hands on her arms.  She looked at him, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth.  "Take a deep breath." He told her, his lips lifting slightly as she did as he requested.  "I'm not mad." He stated. 

"You're not?" She asked.

"No." He shook his head.  He lifted one hand--cupping her cheek.  "A little shocked." He admitted.  "But...I'm not mad."

"Why not?" She asked, puzzled.  A baby was going to change everything!  Why was he okay about this?  Why wasn't he freaking out?  Why wasn't he-

"I told you this is what I wanted." He replied.  She looked at him in question. "I told you when I asked you to marry me that I wanted to have a family with you."

"But right now?!" She asked.  "We're not--I'm not--ready!"

"The timing's not exactly great," he admitted.  "I'll give you that, but it'll be okay." He assured her.  "I promise." He continued as he lifted his other hand--gently framing her face as he leaned forward to press his lips against hers.  "It'll be okay."

Rachel's hands came up, wrapping around his wrists as he continued to kiss her.  The overwhelming anxiety she'd been feeling since making the discovery this morning finally beginning to relent.  JC pulled back slightly but Rachel kept her eyes closed as he rested his forehead against hers-their breath mingling. 

"We need to celebrate." He told her, sitting back to look at her.  He dropped his hands from her face as he grinned excitedly.  "I'm going to take you out somewhere for dinner."

"Not tonight." She told him. 

"Why not?" He asked.

"I just want to sit here with you tonight." She told him as she slid her hand into his, lacing their fingers together, and scooting closer to him.  "I miss just being with you." She admitted quietly as she laid her head against his shoulder.  "And we're running out of time to be together."

JC gave her fingers a gentle squeeze.  "Okay." He replied.  Rachel felt him press a kiss to the top of her head.  "But tomorrow night," He told her.  "We're going out, so be ready." 

~~~~~~~~~

Megan slowly opened the front door of her house and peeked inside the next afternoon.  The front room was quiet and still, giving her the permission she needed to enter.  She needed to grab some more of her and Scott's things, but didn't want to face Jackson.  She wasn't ready to see him yet and had purposely decided to come over in the middle of the day--knowing he would be at work.  Closing the front door behind her, Megan walked through the front room and down the hallway--her eyes stubbornly avoiding the pictures all over the walls that seemed to be mocking her.  The happy couple and family the portrait portrayed were a lie and it broke her heart.

Stopping first in the baby's room, Megan began gathering up the clothes and other items she needed for Scott--putting everything into the tote bag she had brought with her.  Opening the top dresser drawer her eyes fell on the picture frame sitting on top of the unit and, against her better judgment, she reached out with her left hand and picked it up.  Her thumb brushed over the face of the man pictured as she looked at it longingly. The photo had been taken right after Scott had been born--her mother perfectly capturing the moment when Jackson had held his son for the first time.  Megan loved that picture.  The wonder, amazement, and love on Jackson's face as he looked down at the newborn had always made her smile and her heart swell with love.  Now...it only made her sad. 

Letting out a heavy sigh, Megan put the picture back on the dresser but felt reluctant to let go of the picture frame.  When her eyes moved to her wedding ring, Megan finally pulled her hand away from the photo, instead grabbing her left hand with her right as she looked down at the diamond ring.  It had only been four days but Megan had been through every emotion in the book in the last ninety-six hours--the most dominant being confusion.  She didn't know what to think or feel anymore.  All she knew was that somewhere along the way the security she had felt in her relationship with Jackson had disappeared. 

Megan had thought long and hard about what her mother had said--pondering the reason behind why Jackson had kept everything quiet about Kate.  She realized that she had jumped to conclusions and accused him in anger instead of letting him explain his actions, but the reality was she still felt betrayed.  She still felt that his going behind her back was just more evidence to the fact that they had stopped being a couple and had started living separate lives.  No matter his intentions, his secrecy still hurt.

Slowly she took off her wedding band and placed it on the dresser beside the picture--her hand feeling strangely naked.  She blinked rapidly against the tears forming.  She suddenly felt sick to her stomach but she stubbornly squared her shoulders and went back to the task at hand.  She stopped as a sudden sharp pain on her right side took her breath away.  She put her hand against the area on her lower abdomen and bent over slightly. 

"Are you okay?"

Megan gasped in surprise, whirling around at the sudden question.  "Jackson." She breathed.  Her eyes hungrily took in the sight of him and she cursed the fact that her heart skipped a beat as his blue eyes met hers.  Her knees felt a little unstable.  "How long have you..." She trailed off as another sharp, stabbing pain came.  Once again she placed her hand against the spot, her shoulders hunching slightly as she closed her eyes--trying to breath through the pain.  What the hell is going on?  She wondered.  She had felt a little nauseous the last couple days but had passed it off as being stress, but the pain was new.  She didn't know how to explain that.

"Megan?" Jackson asked, stepping towards her.  Her eyes lifted to his once more.  His worry filled blue eyes watched her closely.  "What's wrong?"

Megan shook her head.  "I'm fine." She insisted.  "It's nothing." She straightened as she turned back to the dresser.  "I just..." She cried out suddenly, her hands grabbing on to the dresser as the pain worsened.  Her knees buckled but Jackson quickly covered the distance between them, catching her as she fell.

"You're not fine!" He told her.  Megan shook her head, closing her eyes against the pain.  She bit her lip as she curled up into the fetal position.  "Megan?" Jackson asked.  "Megan, look at me." He pled as he ran his hand over her face, his voice filled with frantic worry. 

"I can't..." she shook her head as she tried to catch her breath.  "I can't...breathe.  It hurts." She told him, tears leaking out from beneath her lashes. 

"I'm going to go call 911." He told her as he moved to lay her down on the floor.

"Don't!"  She reached out to him, gabbing onto the front of his shirt as she finally opened her eyes.  "Don't leave me."

"I'll be right back." He promised.  "I have to go call for an ambulance and my phone is in the other room."  He leaned down, pressing his lips against her forehead.  "I'll be right back."

Megan closed her eyes and let go of his shirt as he stood.  She wrapped her arms around herself, curling up as tight as she could--hoping it would alleviate the pain.  She head Jackson's voice, talking on the phone, as he hurried back to her.  She wanted to open her eyes and look at him--to reassure herself that he was really there--but as another wave of pain washed over her, her body couldn't handle anymore and she willingly surrendered to the darkness.

Chapter 13 - part one by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
so...this chapter turned out longer than I was expecting...here's the first half...and I should have the rest of it finished in a few days  :)
"Rach?" JC called out as he walked through the front door and hurried up the stairs the next evening.  "I'm going to take a quick shower," he continued as he walked into the bedroom, hoping she could hear him wherever she was in the house.  "Then we can go.  Are you--"  He stopped as he walked into the bathroom, pulling up short at the sight of Rachel sitting on the edge of the tub, looking down at her hands in her lap.  "Hey!" He smiled.  "Are you ready to go?  I'll be quick." Rachel slowly looked up at him, tears brimming in her brown eyes. "What's wrong?" He asked, suddenly concerned, as he walked over to her.  She looked back down at her hands.  JC crouched down in front of her and reached out, lifting her chin slightly so she would look at him.  He thought they had talked through everything last night, but here she was upset and crying again.  She must be pregnant.  He thought.  How else was he supposed to explain all the sudden emotional outbursts from her recently?  "Talk to me." He stated.  "What's going on?"

"I'm not pregnant." She told him quietly, her bottom lip trembling slightly. 

JC dropped to his knees as he felt a distinct sense of disappointment fill him.  Her admission last night had taken him by surprise, but after the shock had worn off JC had found himself actually excited at the prospect.  Sure, the timing was horrible, but they would have worked it out.  He put his arms around Rachel as she fell against him, wrapping her arms around him. 

"I must have...counted wrong." She told him, her voice wavering slightly as he tightened his arms around her.  "It was probably just all of the stress lately." She continued, trying to explain. 

"I'm sorry." He told her, turning his head to brush his lips against her temple.  He heard her breath hitch softly and her arms tighten around him. 

"It's okay." Rachel insisted, pulling away from him.  JC watched her with suspicious eyes as she sniffed a few times and squared her shoulders.  "It was bad timing.  It's...it's better this way." She told him--her words of assurance to him completely contradicting the sadness and disappointment he could see in her eyes.  For all her tears and worry last night, she had wanted to be pregnant.

JC placed his hands on her face and pulled her close.  Pressing his lips against hers he kissed her warmly.  "After the tour," He told her when he pulled back, looking into her beautiful eyes.  "After everything settles down and I'm home, and you won't be here by yourself, we can start trying for real.  Okay?"  She nodded and he kissed her again.  "We're still going out tonight." He continued.  Rachel looked at him in surprise.  "I've got it all planned and it's been way too long since you and I have gone out on a date."  He stated.  Rachel's lips lifted slightly, though the smile didn't quite reach her eyes.  "We need to get out and have some fun." He smiled.  "Will you go out with me tonight?" He asked, brushing his thumbs across her cheeks.  She nodded.  Letting go of her, he stood then reached down and pulled her to her feet in front of him.  "I'm going to take a quick shower." He told her.  "Then we can go."

"What should I wear?" She asked.  "Where are we going?" 

"We're going to this great jazz restaurant I heard about." He replied as his lips lifted suddenly in a devilish grin.

"What?" Rachel asked, warily.

"You know that blue number you wore last year to that dinner when I signed the deal for my solo album?"  He asked.  She nodded.  "That's what I want you to wear."

Rachel's eyes narrowed as she cocked her head to the side and looked at him.  "Okay." She replied.  "But only if you do me a favor."

"Anything." He promised, willing to do whatever it took to make her happy.

She smiled, this time a spark of mischief lit up her eyes and he couldn't help smiling in return.  "Wear your glasses tonight." She requested.

"You got it, Sass." He replied as he leaned forward, capturing her lips once again with his.  "You got it."  

~~~~~~~~

Rachel turned and slid her hand into JC's, allowing him to help her from the car.  JC let go of her hand as he shut the car door then put one arm around her waist and pulled her firmly against his side--his lips brushing against her ear.

"Vous etes tres belle" You are beautiful.

A shiver ran down her spine as she pulled back to look at him.  "You are dangerous." she answered.  JC smiled as he leaned down, giving her a quick kiss.  Over the last couple years Rachel had taught him a few phrases in French, and he understood some of the basics, but every once in a while JC would surprise her with something she hadn't taught him--making her feel like he truly loved her.  Why else would a guy go to the trouble of learning to speak a foreign language when he didn't have to?

JC kept his arm around her--his fingers lightly gripping her waist--as they walked towards the front door of the restaurant.  Rachel turned to look at him, her heart fluttering in her chest as she took in his appearance again.  As she had requested, he had worn his glasses tonight instead of his contacts, and she smiled.  He didn't wear them nearly often enough in her opinion and the black leather jacket he had on just added to his appeal.  He was a very attractive man and she still couldn't believe sometimes that they were getting married; or that she had believed she was going to have his baby.  Until a few hours ago.  She thought with a sigh. 

When she had come to the realization yesterday about how late she was, Rachel had been shocked and overwhelmed, believing there was no way she could handle having a baby right now--and it had only been a few days ago that she had been complaining about that paparazzi assuming she was pregnant!--but then when she'd discovered she wasn't pregnant, she had been surprisingly let down.  JC's promise as he had knelt on the bathroom floor in front of her that, once things settled down and he was done with the tour, they could really try to have a baby made the disappointment not as hard to handle. 

Rachel paused as JC reached out, moving his hand to rest at the small of her back as he opened the door for her.  Rachel smiled up at him and then walked into the restaurant.  She stopped as they stepped inside--looking around in amazement.  "This place is great!" She exclaimed.  The subdued lighting and rich, warm colors on the walls and decorations--along with the live music being played by the musicians up on the stage--all added to the ambience and Rachel decided, on the spot, that this was now officially her favorite restaurant. 

"I knew you'd like it." JC replied as he kissed her cheek.  He turned and gave his name to the hostess who smiled and led them back towards their table.

"Thank you." Rachel told him, reaching for his hand as they were seated across from each other at the small table. 

JC gave her fingers a squeeze as he lifted her hand and pressed his lips to the back of it.  "I'm sorry you've been so stressed out and overwhelmed lately." He told her.  "And I'm sorry I missed the appointment with the caterer yesterday."

"It's okay." Rachel replied.

"No, it's not." JC shook his head.  "I let you down and I'm sorry." Rachel looked down at the table.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth--wondering if she should ask the question currently spinning around in her head.  "You okay?" He asked.

Rachel looked up at him, meeting his blue eyes.  "Jace, do you..." She paused.  "I'm going to ask you a question and I need an honest answer.  Do you want to marry me?" She asked. 

"What kind of question is that?" JC asked, looking at her in surprise.  "Of course I want to marry you!  I asked you, didn't I?" 

"Yes." She nodded.  "But lately...lately it just seems like..." Rachel paused, trying to gather her thoughts.  "A lot of the time it seems like you could care less about everything."  He sighed as she continued.  "I ask for your opinion on stuff and you tell me you don't care, or to just do whatever I want but I want to know what you want." She told him.  "It's not just about me.  This is your wedding too and if you don't want to get married then just tell me." She watched as his eyes dropped down to the table and mentally kicked herself for ruining their night out before it had even started.  They hadn't even ordered drinks yet and here she was causing trouble.

"I don't want a big wedding, Rach." JC finally admitted, glancing up at her hesitantly.  "Before you came along, I never really thought about getting married.  But when the thought did cross my mind, I just assumed it would be a small family event with a few close friends invited--not the entire music industry and anyone and everyone I've ever talked to in my entire life."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Rachel asked, looking at him in question. 

He shrugged.  "You started planning and...weddings mean more to girls and I figured it's your day, so you can do whatever you want."

"It's not my day." Rachel replied, leaning over the table towards him.  "It's our day.  I don't want to do something that's going to make you miserable or uncomfortable."

"You've already sent out all the announcements, though." He stated.  "So we're kind of stuck with things how they are."

"No we're not." She countered with a shake of her head. 

"We're not?" He questioned.

"No.  I haven't mailed them yet.  I was going to do it yesterday, but then everything happened and I just didn't get around to it.  We can still change things."

"You're okay with changing things?" He asked. 

"Everything except my dress." She replied with a smile.  "That's the only thing I've bought that I can't really return and I don't want to."  JC looked at her--relief written all over his face.  Rachel hadn't realized until right then that he had been just as stressed about the wedding as she had been--it was just for different reasons.  Of course he didn't want a big wedding!  The man was practically a hermit--preferring to stay home and out of the public eye unless it had something directly to do with his career.  She should have known that he wouldn't be happy or comfortable with a big event, and truth be told she felt a giant sense of relief wash over her knowing that she didn't have so much to plan anymore.

"But you've gone through so much trouble already planning everything." He said.  "Are you sure--"

"I'm an event planner, Jace." She smiled.  "Planning is what I do.  It's not like we're calling the whole thing off--I'm just going to be making different plans now."  JC smiled.  "Only this time," she continued as she let go of his hand and finally picked up her menu.  "I want your help.  When I ask you what you want I need you to be honest with me."

"Deal." He nodded as he picked up his own menu. 

"For starters," Rachel began.  "Where do you want to get married?  Since we're not going to do something big anymore, we can change the place.  What are you thinking?"

They discussed different wedding venue options--tossing around ideas on everywhere from the beach to doing it back home in Maryland--as they each looked over the menu, ordering their food when their waiter appeared.  But soon the conversation left the topic of the wedding and moved to the tour starting soon, Rachel's trouble finding a place to open up her shop, different current events going on, and anything else they felt like talking about.  As Rachel cut into the steak she had ordered and took a bite, she smiled.  Just like last night, when they had gone out for ice cream and then had sat and talked like a normal couple, she realized how much she had missed just being with him like this.  With everything going on in their lives, it was hard to remember that they really were just a regular couple that enjoyed and needed to spend time with each other.  He made her laugh, he wasn't afraid to challenge her opinions, and they never had a hard time coming up with things to talk about.  Aside from Megan, JC truly was her best friend and at the end of the day he was the one she wanted to spend her time with. 

~~~~~~~~~

JC wiped his mouth with his napkin then placed it on the table as he took the last bite of his salmon.  He picked up his wine glass, his eyes watching the woman seated across from him, as he took a sip.  She was breathtaking.  The dress she was wearing was one of his favorites--the dark blue of the material looked amazing against her skin and the fabric clung to her beautiful curves perfectly.  She had pulled her hair up, allowing a few tendrils to frame her face and his mouth watered as his eyes roamed down her neck and across her shoulders.  She was incredible, and she was his!  He wanted to pinch himself sometimes, to assure himself that he wasn't dreaming; that this actually was his life and he really had found her--a beautiful, sexy, smart, funny and sassy woman who loved him as much as he loved her.  All the struggles and heartache he'd been through in the past had been worth it, to get to her.  Rachel's eyes met his and she smiled softly.  JC sat back in his chair as he continued to watch her.    

"Do I have food on my face?" Rachel asked with a self-conscious chuckle as she brought her napkin up to her mouth.

"No." He shook his head.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She questioned.

"I'm trying to convince myself that this isn't a dream." He told her.  "Have I told you lately how beautiful you are?" He asked.

"Yes." Rachel smiled as she nodded.  "And in a foreign language, too." She reminded him. 

"Dance with me?" He asked, holding out his hand to her.  It had been a while since they had last dance together and JC wanted to hold her close; to feel her body moving with his. 

Rachel looked around the restaurant.  "Are we allowed to dance?" She asked.  "No one else is."

"I don't care." JC replied.  "I'm sitting here with the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.  We're in a romantic restaurant with some great jazz music playing and I want to dance."

Rachel smiled, her cheeks warming slightly as she placed her hand in his.  "You're a terrible liar." She told him as she stood in front of him.

"I've never lied to you." JC replied as he put one arm around her waist as he took a hold of her hand with the other and began to dance with her right there by their table.  "Why would I start now?"

"There is no way that I am ‘the most beautiful woman' you've ever seen." She told him as she would her free arm around his neck, her fingers beginning to play with his hair.  "That's impossible."

"How do you know?" He asked.  "Have you seen every woman I've ever seen?"

"No." She shook her head with a laugh, their eyes remaining locked on each other.  "But I've seen the women you've dated and been pictured with in the past."

"You're the one, Sass." He told her as he pulled the hand he was holding up and tucked it between them.  "Although..." He drawled and she looked up at him sharply.  "There was this brunette I met a few years ago at this wedding I went to." He mused, looking suddenly thoughtful.  He watched as the corners of her mouth twitched up slightly.  "She was the best friend of the bride and the Maid of Honor..." he let out a sigh as he shook his head.  "I had a hard time keeping my hands off of her."

The smile that Rachel been trying to hold back broke out as JC tightened his arm around her--pulling her more fully against him.  "I've wanted you from the moment I met you, Rachel." He confessed, his eyes boring into hers.  "You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen."

Rachel pulled him down to place a warm kiss to his mouth.  "Mon destin est dans des vos bras." She breathed, her lips moving against his. 

"I don't what that means," JC replied, nibbling at her lips.  "But I love it when you speak French." He all but growled quietly.

Rachel giggled as she kissed him again.  "Roughly translated it means: my destiny is in your arms." She told him then rested her head against his shoulder.  JC lowered his head as he closed his eyes, his nose brushing against hers.

"I'm going to miss you, Sass." He told her quietly.  She tightened her hold on him.  "Are you sure you don't want to come out on the road with me?"

~~~~~~~

"Don't make this harder than it already is, Joshua, please." Rachel pled, pulling back to look at him.  "We both know I can't be your permanent groupie the rest of my life."  No matter how much I want to.  She thought.

"Why not?" He asked.  "I've got my own bus this time." He released her hand, bringing his fingers up to touch her face.  "What am I going to do every night after the show?"

"Call me." She stated. 

"It's not the same." He replied, the look in his blue eyes making her stomach quiver.  "There's only so much you can do over the phone..."

Rachel rolled her eyes though she couldn't help the smile that came to her lips, or the blush she felt warming her cheeks.  "You'll survive." She assured him.

"I don't think I will." He shook his head.  "Six weeks is a long time..."

"Then I'm just going to have to surprise you now and then, aren't I?" She replied.  JC quirked up a brow in sudden interest. 

"I like the sound of that." He told her, his arm pulling her against him more fully.  "I like finding you in my hotel room when I least expect it." He grinned mischievously. 

"I know you do." Rachel laughed as she reached a hand up, her fingers brushing through his dark hair.  "The six weeks are going to go by quicker than you think," she told him.  "Then we'll be getting married and be on our honeymoon and you're going to be home until the end of July." 

"But then I'm going to be over in Europe." He reminded her. 

She placed her fingers over his lips.  "I don't want to think about that right now." She told him.  They continued dancing quietly--just looking at each other, until the musicians up on stage finished their set.  As he stopped dancing Rachel smiled as she put her hand on his face.  "You're amazing." She told him.  "Everything I ever dreamed of, and so much more."  JC lifted one hand as he brushed his thumb across her cheek, his blue eyes full of nothing but love and adoration as he looked down at her.  "I love you, JC Chasez." She stated.  "More than I ever thought it was possible to love someone."

"The feeling is mutual." He replied as he placed a soft kiss to her lips.  "Let's go home." JC said as he finally pulled away from her.  "I want to make the most of the time we have left together."

Rachel smiled, her heart skipping in her chest as he signaled for the waiter to bring their check.  As they left the restaurant, she pulled her phone from the small clutch she had brought, to check for messages.  One missed call. She followed JC to the car as she put the phone to her ear to listen to the voicemail she had received--the feeling of contentment evaporating as Megan's mother's voice came through the phone.

"Stop." Rachel breathed.  She reached out, grabbing onto JC's arm.

"What?" He asked, turning to look at her as she tightened her grip on him.

"Megan..." Rachel breathed as she let go of JC and put her hand to her chest to stop the sudden pain as she finished listening to the message.  I have to wake up.  She thought as tears came to her eyes.  This has to be a bad dream. 

"Rachel?" JC asked at her continued silence.  "What's wrong?"

She finally looked up at him, her eyes meeting his.  "Take me to the airport." She told him.  "I have to get to Phoenix."

~~~~~~~~

"Megan?"

Jackson's voice cracked as he said her name aloud.  The sterile silence of the hospital room they were in was the only response to his question.  He stood up from the chair he'd been sitting in all night and stepped towards the bed where she lay. 

"Megan?" He asked again--his hand reaching for hers-but she remained still; her beautiful eyes remaining closed to him.  Jackson closed his eyes as well, in an attempt to keep the tears at bay.  He brought the hand of hers that he was holding up to his chest as he reached his other hand out--his fingers brushing across her cheek.  "Stay with me." He pled quietly as he leaned down, pressing his lips against her forehead.  "I need you." He whispered.

Jackson pulled back and looked down at the woman who had stolen his heart the first time he'd seen her almost four years ago.  He felt a tear slip down his cheek as the doctor's words from earlier ran through his head.  Ruptured ectopic pregnancy...emergency surgery...extensive blood loss...

He choked back a sob. 

When Megan had collapsed in his arms last night he had been terrified.  He had gotten home early, his heart jumping in his chest at seeing her car parked in the driveway.  When he had found her in Scott's bedroom--standing in front of the dresser--he had been glued in place.  He watched her, wishing he could read her thoughts.  He had tried, every day since she had walked out on him, to get her to listen to him--to give him a chance to explain and apologize--but she had refused to see him.  Jackson had been at his wits end, trying to come up with a way to see her, to talk to her, and suddenly she was standing right in front of him.  He had sent a silent prayer of gratitude heavenward at being given this answer to his prayers.

His heart had dropped to the pit of his stomach though, as he had watched her take off her wedding ring and set it on top of the dresser.  His hopes of being able to reconcile with her fading as he looked down at his own ring--how was he supposed to win her back if she was so ready to write him off and be done with him?  His moment of self-pity however, evaporated as Megan had suddenly bent over in pain.  And now, here they were--ten hours and one emergency surgery later.  She had been pregnant but neither one of them had known about it or the danger she had been in.  The realization still left him reeling.

Jackson sunk down in the chair again--his hand still clutching Megan's.  He rested his elbows on the bed as he raised her hand to his lips, his other hand reaching out to once more touch her face.  Jackson sniffed and wiped away the tears that had fallen, pinching the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger. 

"I am so sorry." He told her, his voice quiet as he scooted closer to her.  "About everything.  I love you and I have been miserable without you."  He was quiet for a moment fighting back his emotion.  "Please don't leave me." He pled.  He couldn't survive without her.  She was his life--his very reason for living.  "I need you." He continued.  "Megan..." he paused, chocking back his tears.  "Please."  He leaned his head down and rested it against her shoulder finally allowing the tears to fall. 

~~~~~~~~

"Jackson?" Rachel asked as she reached out and shook his shoulder slightly the next morning.  She watched as he woke up--his hands scrubbing over his face as he sat up--looking at Megan before he looked up at Rachel in confusion. 

"Rachel?" He asked, his brows furrowed.  "What...how did you..."

"Megan's mom called me." She told him as he stood up.  She put her arms around him, hugging him tightly.  "I got here as quickly as I could.  How is she?"

"She hasn't woken up yet." He replied as he stepped back.  "I don't..." His voice cracked and he rubbed his hand across the back of his neck as he turned and looked down at Megan.  "I don't know." He finally said.  "The doctor said she lost a lot of blood, but her vital signs are all okay." He said, trying to sound optimistic.  He looked back at Rachel and she smiled tremulously at him.

"You look terrible." She told him honestly.

"I feel terrible." He replied.

"Why don't you go home and take a shower?" She asked.  "You've been here all night.  I'll stay with her."

"I can't--" he began, shaking his head--panic clearly written across his face. 

"I'll call you if anything happens." Rachel assured him as she put her hand on his arm.  "You're not going to do her any good by not taking care of yourself.  Besides," She continued.  "She's not going to want to wake up to see you looking like this." She teased, and Jackson let out what sounded like a cross between a cry and laugh.  "Go home." Rachel told him.  "Get a few hours of sleep, take a shower, put on some clean clothes then you can come back.  You need to get out of here for at least an hour or two."

"You have my number?" He asked. 

"Yes." She replied with a reassuring smile.  "I'll call you the second anything happens, I promise."

Jackson nodded then turned to face Megan once more.  Rachel watched as he reached a hand out, brushing her hair back from her forehead then leaned over and pressed, first his lips and then his own forehead against hers.  "I love you." He whispered, and Rachel had to blink back the tears at the raw emotion contained in those three little words.  After another moment he finally turned to looked at Rachel again.  "Thank you." He said and she nodded, not trusting her voice at the moment.  She knew how hard it was for him to leave her right now and knew he was only doing it because he trusted Rachel and knew she loved Megan as much as he did.

"I'll see you in a few hours." She finally said.  Jackson nodded then turned and left the room, leaving Rachel alone with Megan.  "Jackson is a complete mess without you." She told Megan as she stepped up to the side of the bed and took her friend's hand in hers.  "I know you two are having some trouble right now, but you should see him." She chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.  "You'd be embarrassed to be seen with him right now."  She stopped, as her breath caught in her throat and a tear fell down her cheek.  "Oh, Megs." She sighed.  "You have to wake up.  You have to be okay.  I can't...I'm not going to be able to handle it if you're not okay." She continued honestly as a tear slipped down her cheek.  "I'm getting married in a few months and I refuse to do it without you there." Rachel sniffed as her tears began falling in earnest.  She wiped them away as she slowly sat down in the chair Jackson had been sitting in moments before, still holding Megan's hand.

She looked around the hospital room, suddenly assaulted with memories of losing her mother.  She hated hospitals and avoided them for that reason--too many painful memories.  She looked back at Megan, praying that this wouldn't turn out to be another painful memory.  "I can't lose you, Megs." She whispered.  "I can't lose you."

~~~~~~~

Jackson stepped out of Megan's hospital room and into the hallway, quietly closing the door behind him.  He scrubbed his hands over his face as he began walking towards the elevators.  As hard as it was to leave her, he knew Rachel was right.  He wasn't going to do Megan any good by not taking care of himself.  He needed to go home and get cleaned up; get something to eat.  He hadn't eaten since lunch the day before and was about to pass out. 

He stopped however as he walked past the small waiting room located on the floor he was on.  He couldn't go home!  He'd ridden over with Megan in the ambulance.  He didn't have his car here, or any way to get home.  Shaking his head he turned to go back to the room but again stopped as his eyes fell on the lone occupant of the waiting room.  The man stood up from the hard plastic chair he had been sitting in and Jackson looked at him in shock. 

"JC?" He asked, watching as the other man walked over to him.  "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here for moral support." JC replied.  "Need a ride?" He guessed as he held up a set of car keys.

Jackson nodded.  "Yeah." He cleared his throat.  "I uh...I came over in the ambulance...last night..." Jackson paused, trying to hold back his emotion.  He suddenly remembered the first time he had ever met JC Chasez.  Never in a million years would he have ever guessed that day that the two of them would become connected like they had over the last couple years, or be standing together in a hospital waiting room one day while the woman he loved fought for her life. 

JC reached out, putting his hand on the other guy's shoulder as he turned Jackson around and led him towards the elevators.  "Our rental car is downstairs." He said.  "Let's go."

End Notes:

to be continued...

I love hearing what you guys think!  It motivates me to keep writing *hint, hint*  :)

Chapter 13 part two by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
here's the rest of chapter 13...hope you guys like it...
She felt like she had been run over by a truck.

As Megan slowly began to gain consciousness that was the first and only thought that went through her head and she began to wish she could stay asleep forever.  She tried to move, but her entire body felt strangely heavy and she couldn't seem to get any of her limbs to cooperate with her.  Weird flashes of memory from the awful dream she'd been having began assaulting her and Megan slowly opened her eyes, blinking against the light.  She turned her head slightly, looking around the room--her brows furrowing as her eyes landed on the figure standing by the window.  "Rachel?" She croaked, her voice hoarse.  I must still be dreaming.  She thought.  Why else would her best friend, who lived in California, be standing in her room?

Rachel turned around in surprise.  "Oh, thank God!" She exclaimed as she walked over to her.  "You're awake!"

"Wh-what are you...what are you doing here?" Megan asked, trying to shake the fog in her head.  She lifted her hand to scratch at her nose but felt something tug her skin.  Turning to investigate she was surprised to discover a needle attached to the back of her hand.  Following the line up, she saw the IV bag hanging above her and more flashes of memory came, causing her head to spin.  Megan desperately sought to separate fact from fiction. 

After collapsing in Scott's room, and hearing Jackson's frantic voice as he called 911, her memories of what had happened next were fuzzy and disjointed.  Waking up inside the ambulance...being wheeled down a long hallway...lying on the table in the operating room...waking up in post-op and not knowing where she was or what had happened...being transferred to the bed she was in now...

She turned back to look at Rachel.  "What..."  She stopped, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.  "What happened?" She asked, opening her eyes once again.  She tried to sit up, but again, couldn't quite get her body to do what she wanted it to do.

"You had surgery." Rachel told her, pulling a chair close to the bed as she sat down. 

"Surgery?" Megan asked in confusion.  That would explain the operating room.  "Why?"

"You were pregnant, Megs." Rachel replied.  "But the baby...it was an ectopic pregnancy and it ruptured." She reached for Megan's hand.  "It was a really good thing that Jackson was there at the house with you when it happened." She continued.  "Otherwise..." Rachel paused, blinking rapidly against the tears that Megan could see in her eyes.

Megan's brows furrowed again as the memories from last night began to get a little clearer as the remaining anesthesia continued to wear off.  She remembered regaining consciousness in the ambulance, and the feeling of Jackson's hand gripping hers tightly.  She remembered the panic she had felt--not know what was going on--but also the comfort and reassurance in knowing that he was there with her.  He stayed by her side as they arrived at the hospital and wheeled her in--the doctor beginning his examination.  He had kept a tight hold of her hand and had only stepped aside after being threatened with being thrown out if he didn't get out of the way.  Megan's heart did a strange flip in her chest as she remembered the terrified look in his blue eyes, along with the overwhelming love and concern for her, and began to feel a little guilty.  Why was she holding on to her anger towards him when it was obvious how much he loved her?  How much he was willing to do for her?  He wouldn't cheat on her!  Deep down she knew this, but for some reason it was easier to fear than to trust.   Facing a life threatening situation made a person re-evaluate the choices they had made in their life however, and suddenly, all Megan wanted was to see him; to feel his arms around her and know that he would always be there to love and take care of her. 

"Is he..." Megan paused.  "Is he here?" She asked, looking around the room. 

Rachel shook her head.  "Jace took him home about an ago.  He'd been up all night sitting in here with you and I told him he needed to go home and sleep."

"JC came?" Megan asked in surprise.  Rachel nodded.  "Isn't he on tour?" Megan asked, confused as to why he would have come to Arizona with Rachel.

"Next week." Rachel replied.  "Remember?  When I got your mom's message last night I told him what had happened and that I needed to get to the airport and he came with me.  I told him he didn't need to, but he said he wanted to be here."

Megan smiled at the thought that JC Chasez--the man whose music and poster Megan has worshiped growing up--was in Arizona right now because of her; had left on short notice while he was no doubt busy with last minute tour preparations because of her.  If her sixteen-year-old self could see how her life had turned out, she would be having an absolute fit at the moment!  Who would have thought? Megan thought as she closed her eyes, suddenly feeling exhausted and tired. 

"Megs?" Rachel asked, sounding worried.

"Hmmm?" Megan hummed but kept her eyes closed.  "I'm tired." She murmured, her body demanding that she sleep.

"Oh...okay." Rachel replied, sounding slightly disappointed. 

"Sorry..." Megan trailed off as whatever pain medication they had her hooked up to, suddenly kicked in--her body relaxing completely as she willingly surrendered.    

~~~~~~~~~

Jackson stood, leaning back against the wall in the shower as the water falling on him slowly turned cold.  He had gotten home about forty-five minutes ago--the car ride mostly silent as JC drove the ten miles from the hospital back to the house--and had forced himself into the shower, hoping the water would wash away his pain as easily as it did the grime from his body.  His head was pressed back against the tile wall, his eyes closed, as he relived the nightmare of the last twenty-four hours.  Having Megan walk out on him was one thing, but watching her lying on an operating table, bleeding to death in front of him, was entirely different.  In both cases he was the one to blame for her pain and the guilt was beginning to eat him alive.  If he had just been honest with her she wouldn't have walked out on him.  If he hadn't gotten her pregnant, she wouldn't currently be fighting for her life. 

As the water turned too cold for him to handle-goose bumps beginning to break out over his body--Jackson finally turned it off and got out.  Reaching for his towel he wrapped it around his waist and went to stand in front of the sink.  His hands gripped the countertop as he hung his head.  Please.  Help her to be okay.  He prayed.  If she lives through this, I'll step back and give her what she wants. I promise.  He found himself bargaining with God.  It had been obvious last night when she had taken off her wedding ring that Megan wanted him out of her life, so that was what he was going to do.  It would kill him, but at least he would have the assurance that he couldn't hurt her anymore.  If he truly loved her like he claimed he did, then he needed to do whatever it took to make her happy--even if that meant stepping aside and letting her move on without him.

A sudden knock came at the bathroom door, startling him.  Wiping his hands across his face to remove the tears, Jackson reached for the doorknob. 

"She's awake." JC said.  "Rachel just called me."

~~~~~~~~

As Jackson and JC stepped off the elevator and began walking down the hallway towards Megan's room, the men could hear laughter floating through the partially opened door.  Jackson slowed down, watching as JC reached the door first and raised his knuckles to knock before opening the door wider.  JC turned to look at Jackson in question, but Jackson motioned for him to go ahead.  He was suddenly nervous about seeing Megan again and needed a moment to gather his courage.  She was awake--he could hear her talking to Rachel and JC--and he steeled himself against seeing the anger and pain fill her eyes when she saw him.  Finally, taking a deep breath he squared his shoulders and walked into the room. 

~~~~~~~

Megan and Rachel both turned as a knock came at the door and Megan's heart fluttered nervously in her chest.  She was only slightly disappointed to instead have JC walk into the room.  Megan watched as Rachel's face lit up with a smile and she observed her best friend affectionately greet her fiancee, once again wondering what her teenaged self would say and do at the scene in front of her. 

"It's good to see you awake." JC said as he turned and smiled at Megan.  "We've all been pretty worried about you." 

Megan felt her cheeks warm slightly as she smiled back at him.  "Thanks for coming." She told him.  "I know you didn't have to and it...it means a lot."

"Where's Jackson?" Rachel asked, looking back towards the door.  "I thought he was with you." She told JC.

"He is." JC nodded.  "He was right behind me." They all three turned to look at the door again as the man they had been speaking of finally made his appearance.  Megan's breath caught in her throat as she looked at him and she suddenly wished she could walk over to him and throw her arms around him.  He looked about as bad as she felt, but she'd also never wanted to kiss him more than she did right at that moment. 

Rachel quietly cleared her throat, breaking the tense silence that had descended in the room.  "We're going to, uh...leave you two alone." She said, grabbing JC's hand and pulling him towards the door.  "We'll be back." She promised as she and JC walked past Jackson--who remained immobile in the doorway--and disappeared, closing the door behind them.  Again, a tense silence filled the room.  Megan attempted to shift slightly from the partial sitting position she was in, but sucked in a breath as the pain from her incision caught her off guard. 

"Are you okay?" Jackson asked in concern, finally speaking as he took a step towards her. 

Megan nodded.  "Are you just going to stand there in the doorway?" She asked.

"I don't..." He paused.  "I don't know what you want me to do right now, Megan." He finally admitted and Megan's heart broke with the knowledge that his hesitance and uncertainty were entirely her own doing.  She didn't blame him for not knowing what she wanted when she had been throwing so many mixed signals at him that last couple days.

"I want you to come here." She told him quietly, her eyes never leaving his.  Slowly, Jackson walked towards the bed, finally coming to stand next to her.  He watched her, his blue eyes studying her carefully.  "Hold me?" Megan whispered, the tension between them intensifying.

"I can't." Jackson replied.  "You've got to stay in bed."  Megan gingerly scooted away from him--closer to the far edge of the bed-watching as Jackson's brows furrowed in concern.  "Megan..."

"I seem to remember," she began as she lay back against the pillow, her heart pounding and her breathing heavy at the energy and exertion it had taken to move that small distance.  "We were able to both fit in a hospital bed once before."  She saw something spark in his blue eyes and knew he was remembering the time when he had been in the hospital after a car accident a few years ago and had wanted her to get in the bed with him.  "Please?" She asked.  "I promise I won't tell the doctor."  She finally saw the corners of his lips turn up in a small smile and knew she had won. 

Jackson glanced over his shoulder at the closed door then gingerly lay down on the narrow bed beside her.  Turning on his side he reached out, sliding one arm underneath her head while putting his other arm around her waist--being careful of where her incision was-and rested his head on the pillow next to her.  Megan closed her eyes, a shiver running down her spine as she felt his warm breath against her neck.  She turned her head slightly as she relaxed against him. 

"I'm sorry." She whispered and she felt his arm tighten slightly around her. 

"Kate means nothing to me, Megan." Jackson quietly stated.  "You have to know this."

"Then why all the secrets?" She asked, not wanting to ruin this moment between them, but needing some answers.

"Because I knew how you would react if I told you." He admitted.  "You threw me out of your life once before because of her and I didn't want it to happen again.  But it did anyway."  He remarked.  They were both quiet for a moment.  "Why don't you trust me anymore?" Jackson asked finally breaking the silence.  Megan opened her eyes, looking up at the ceiling.  "What did I do?"

Silence again fell between them until, "Nothing." Megan breathed out.  "It's not you, it's me." She finally admitted.  "I don't know what's happened lately but..." she paused, swallowing against the sudden lump in her throat.  "I've been struggling the last couple months," she began again, her voice wavering slightly.  "Feeling secure in our relationship." Jackson's arms tightened around her again as she continued.  "I feel sometimes that I'm...that I'm not good enough for you; that I'm not the wife you deserve.  I know I can be moody and irritable, I haven't lost the last ten pounds of my baby weight from having Scott last year--and I don't think I'm going to--and sometimes I really hate cleaning the house, so I don't.  You started working more and staying at the office later and later every night and we quit...you didn't seem to want to touch or be close to me anymore and my insecurities multiplied.  Then all the secrets started and I just couldn't handle it.  I went to your office one day to surprise you and take you out to lunch but when I got there I heard you talking to another woman about what some plans you were making and how I wasn't going to find out about anything..." she trailed off, trying to gain control of her emotions.  "That was the night I was crying in the bedroom and you told me about Hawaii, but the damage was already done.  I started having flashbacks of when my father left and I..." She sniffed, bringing a hand up to wipe at the tears streaming down her face.  "Then I found all those emails about Kate and how you were trying to set up a time to meet her.  I know I should have asked you what was going on instead of yelling at you but I got scared and I couldn't...I couldn't be the one that was left again, so this time I did the leaving-thinking it would make things easier.  But it didn't." She told him, her voice thick with emotion.  "It didn't."

"Megan," Jackson began.  "You have no idea--" his voice cracked and he cleared his throat.  "No idea-how much I love you, and how sorry I am that I have done anything to make you question that.  Ever since that day we met at the bookstore, I haven't been able to look at or even think about another woman.  When you walked out last week..." he stopped, trying to gain control of his own emotions.  "I sat down and cried like a baby." He admitted.  "I don't care that the house isn't spotless-it's a house, not a museum!  And you're wrong.  You don't need to lose any weight.  I can't lose you, Megan." He bent his head, his lips brushing along her temple before he rested his forehead there.  "Please, tell me I haven't lost you."

"I think we need some help." Megan told him.  "But I want to try."  She pulled back slightly and turned her head to look at him.  "Would you be willing to go to counseling with me?" She asked.

"Yes." He nodded.  He removed his arm from around her waist, instead placing his hand on her face-cupping her cheek.  "I love you." He vowed.  "And I'm ready and willing to do whatever it takes to get us back to being ‘us'."  Megan blinked back the tears that came at his admission, her heart skipping at the intensity of his gaze.  They stayed like that for a few moments, their eyes never leaving each other's.  "Can I..." Jackson trailed off as he stroked his thumb across her cheekbone.

"Yes?" She breathed, instinctively knowing what he was going to ask her.

"Can I kiss you?" He asked hesitantly.

Megan swallowed nervously as butterflies suddenly appeared in her stomach then slowly nodded her head.  She closed her eyes as he leaned towards her and softly pressed his lips against hers.  Her heart momentarily stopped at the contact, but Jackson pulled back after only a second and Megan opened her eyes to look at him in question.  "You can kiss me more than that, if you want." She told him. 

"I don't want you to overdo it." He replied.  "You just had surgery and I know you're tired.  I just--"

"Shut up and kiss me, Jackson." Megan interrupted him and he took no time in doing just that.  The kiss was slow and sweet as he moved his mouth against hers-slowly building in intensity and passion-and Megan knew, in that moment, that everything was going to be okay.  They had a long road ahead of them, there was no question about that, but the love was still there between them and, with a little professional help, she knew they could overcome this and become stronger.  Together.   

End Notes:
well?  what did you think?
Chapter 14 by azchickadee
"Hello, Los Angeles!"

The audience around her--that had already been full of excited energy--erupted around her at those three words, making her thankful for the earplugs she had been handed a few hours ago.  As the music began, Aubrey looked around her in amazement.  To be honest, she hadn't really expected the arena to be as loud and crowded as it was.  While the guys had found success with the release of their album six months ago, secretly she had wondered if anyone was really going to show up for the concert.  Buying a CD was one thing, but were the fans still devoted enough to purchase an actual concert ticket?  After an almost ten year absence?  She had gotten her answer when she and Rachel had taken their seats.

Yes.  They were still willing to buy concert tickets.

Since leaving the guys backstage a few hours ago, Aubrey had never seen so many crazy and devoted fans in her entire life--and the craziest and most devoted was currently standing next to her, screaming as the guys finally made their appearance on stage.  Aubrey couldn't help laughing at Rachel--it was like she was sixteen all over again. 

"This is crazy!" Aubrey exclaimed. 

"What?" Rachel yelled, over the noise around them. 

"This is crazy!" Aubrey repeated as she leaned closer to Rachel. 

"I know!" Rachel smiled brightly.  "Isn't it great?" 

Aubrey smiled as she turned her attention back to the stage, her eyes finding and staying on Justin--though it turned out to be a more difficult task than she would have thought.  The boy never stayed still for more than two seconds--none of them did!  She watched in amazement as Justin, JC, Joey, Lance and Chris moved all over the stage while they sang, impressed at their stamina.  People had made fun of them over the years for being a "boyband" and had criticized them heavily the last couple months about getting back together--throwing out jabs whenever they could--but the talent these five guys possessed blew her away.  She'd like to see their critics get up on stage and sing flawlessly while dancing and moving around as much as they did.  She would put money down that they wouldn't be able to do it.  That would make them shut up.  She thought, chuckling to herself at the image of a bunch of middle-aged news anchors trying to replicate the guys' dance moves.

"What's so funny?" Rachel asked, turning to her. 

"Nothing." Aubrey replied.  "Nothing."  

~~~~~~

She had died and gone to heaven.  Every fan's dream over the last eight years had been to have the chance to relive this moment one more time.  And here they were--all a little older, but reliving the dream!

Rachel looked around the arena; a huge smile on her face a she took in the familiar sights, sounds and feelings.  The only down point was the fact that Megan wasn't there with her as they had originally planned.  Luckily, the guys were going to be in Phoenix in a few weeks and Rachel had already bought a ticket for that show and had a backstage pass with Megan's name on it as a surprise.  As the guys finished their first song and smoothly transitioned into the next number in the set, Rachel focused her attention back on the stage--not wanting to miss a single moment.  She could still vividly recall her first N SYNC concert and wanted to remember this one equally as well.

"I can't believe we're here!" Seventeen-year old Megan squealed as she grabbed Rachel's hand excitedly. 

"I know!" Rachel replied, equally as excited--still not believing they'd actually done it!  The girls had found out that N SYNC was starting their U.S. tour here in Vegas, had bought tickets as soon as they had gone on sale, and had successfully traveled the six hours separating the famous city from their hometown of Phoenix--all without their parent's knowledge.  They both knew there was going to be hell to pay when they got home and faced their parents, but neither of the girls was thinking about the consequences of their actions at the moment.  All they could think about was that in a few short hours they would be within feet of their teenage idols.

"Do you think we'll see any of them?" Megan asked, looking around as they pushed their way through the crowd of people headed towards the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

"You never know." Rachel replied.  "Keep your eyes open for any big guy that looks like he could be security."  They both giggled as they finally made it to the doors and presented their tickets.  With an excited squeal the girls made their way inside.

After standing in line for what seemed like forever, they had both purchased their souvenir T-shirt and went to find their seats, constantly looking around for any glimpse of the five guys whom they had come to see--hoping against hope that they would miraculously run in to one of them.  Rachel had been practically hyperventilating in the car as they had been driving--she was so excited--and had made it her personal mission to find her way to JC and somehow slip him her number, knowing that if he only met her he would realize that she was the girl of his dreams.

Rachel was pulled from her memory as an explosion of sparks burst out across the audience as another song ended.  She couldn't help laughing at herself and wondered what seventeen-year old Rachel would say and do if she were somehow able to see that her dream had become reality.  It had taken a few more years but she had finally been able to give him her number--although he had then promptly lost it--and JC had finally realized that she was the girl he wanted.  She giggled as she watched JC up on stage, a shiver going through her as she watched him move and smiled as their eyes connected.  Logically she knew their eyes hadn't really connected--there were way too many people around her and Aubrey for any of the guys to pick them out of the crowd--but she liked to think that they had.

As the guys took a break to change costumes--the band continuing to play--Rachel was again taken back to that first concert experience.  She remembered singing along to every song with Megan, waving her arms--believing that they could actually see her from their nosebleed seats--and thinking they were the five most amazing guys ever!  She remembered feeling jealous of the girls that were in the front couple of rows and feeling like every moment was a new high she had never experienced before.  Neither of them had wanted the evening to end and when it did--the lights of the venue coming back on--she and Megan had almost cried.  They had rushed outside as quickly as possible and stood, watching as the tour busses had pulled away-wondering if they would ever have the chance to see the guys in concert again.  They would, of course, a year later at Madison Square Garden, but in that moment Rachel would have done anything for the chance to rewind time and relive the experience all over again.  

"What do you think so far?" She asked, turning to speak to Aubrey--yelling over the noise around them.

"They're amazing!" Aubrey exclaimed.  "I had no idea it was possible to sing and dance like that at the same time!" 

Rachel laughed.  "They are pretty amazing."  She clapped her hands and yelled out as the opening for Pop began.  "You'll love this!" She said to Aubrey.  "This is Justin's chance to show off his beat-boxing skills."

Rachel and Aubrey danced and sang along as the guys continued to perform for the next hour, thoroughly enjoying themselves.  When the last notes of Bye, Bye, Bye faded and the lights came back up, Rachel again felt that overwhelming sense of sadness at having the night end, but it was quickly trumped by the fact that she had in her pocket the one thing she would have given her right arm for ten years ago.  She caught Aubrey's eye and knew the other girl was thinking the same thing--they wanted to get back stage as quickly as possible to congratulate their guys.  They had been lucky so far, in that nobody had recognized who they were, but Rachel knew the longer they stayed in the arena the more likely it was the someone was going to recognize either herself or Aubrey and begin questioning them on where the guys were and if they could get backstage. 

Trying to be a sneaky as possible, the two girls quickly made their way towards the nearest set of doors marked Personnel and, sliding the key cards they had been given earlier that afternoon over the security pad, opened the door.  The back halls were just as noisy and crowed with staff members and food service workers as the public areas were with fans, but Rachel and Aubrey wound their way through the chaos, excitedly chattering to each other about the show they'd just seen.  As they got closer to the rooms that had been designated as the guys' dressing rooms, they were stopped by a couple of security guards.  After showing their ID badges and were allowed to continue on.

Rounding a corner, Rachel caught sight of JC as he stood in the hallway, talking to one of the stagehands.  She let out an excited squeal as she ran towards him.  He turned at the sound, his face lighting up with a huge smile as he saw her--laughing as he caught her around the waist as she jumped into his arms. 

"You guys were fantastic!" She exclaimed, wrapping her arms around his neck as she kissed him enthusiastically.  "Congratulations!"

JC kissed her back as he let her slide back down his body until her feet hit the floor.  "Don't get too close to me." He told her as he released her and tried to take a step back.  "I haven't showered yet." 

"I don't care." Rachel replied with a laugh as she put one arm around his waist--tugging him close as she kissed him again.

"Where are the girls?" Justin's voice preceded him as he walked out of the room they were closest to.  "They should be here.  Jace, have you seen..." He stopped--JC, Rachel and Aubrey all turning to look at him.  "You." He said, pointing at Aubrey, his blue eyes sparkling mischievously. 

"Me?" Aubrey asked innocently, pointing at herself.

"Come here." Justin demanded, crooking his finger at her and then pointing at the floor by his feet.  Aubrey walked over to him, letting out a squeal of her own as Justin put his arms around her, picked her up and spun her around.  "What did you think?" He asked. 

"Best concert I've ever been too!"  Aubrey replied with a smile as she put her arms around his neck.  "I think my favorite part was you beat-boxing." She told him.  "How come you didn't tell me you could do that?" 

"I don't know why you're so surprised." Rachel replied dryly.  "I haven't found anything yet that Justin can't do."

"I can't knit." Justin informed them.  There was a moment of silence before JC, Rachel and Aubrey all began to laugh.  "I'm serious." He continued.  "I can't knit."

"How in the world do you know that?" Rachel asked, still laughing. 

"My grandmother tried to teach me once." He replied.

"And?" Aubrey questioned with a giggle. 

"And..." Justin drawled with a shrug.  "It wasn't pretty."

"Alright." Rachel said with a laugh.  "Now I can start a list of the things Justin Timberlake can't do.  Are there any other activities you want to fess up to not being able to do?" She teased.  "Or am I going to just have to figure them out for myself?"

"Nope." Justin shook his head.  "That's the only one."  Everyone laughed again. 

"Come on, slowpokes!" Chris exclaimed, suddenly poking his head out of the room Justin had just come from.  "Get changed.  We got a party to get to!" He stepped out into the hallway, holding the door open wider.  "Ladies." He said, gesturing in towards the room.  "You can wait in here with me while these two pansies primp in front of the mirror."

"No thanks." Rachel replied.  "I think I'm going to go help this pansy primp." She replied, putting her hand on JC's chest as she smiled up at him.  JC bent his head, pressing his lips against hers. 

"Aubrey?" Chris questioned as JC began leading Rachel towards the room he had been given.

"Um..." Aubrey looked back and forth between Justin and Chris.

"Don't even think about it." Justin responded as he reached out and shoved Chris back into the room.  "We really need to find him a girl." He remarked, making Aubrey laugh.  "Come on." He said, taking her hand.  "Like the man said, we've got a party to get to." 

~~~~~~

"Wait."

JC stopped as Rachel tugged on his hand.  He looked at her in question as he pulled her into his dressing room and closed the door.  "What's up?" He asked.

"I have something," Rachel began as she let go of his hand, "that I've been waiting ten years to give to you."

JC watched with curiosity as she reached into the back pocket of the jeans she was wearing and pulled out a small piece of paper.  Stepping towards him, she reached out, tucked the paper into the front pocket of his jeans, then looked up at him through her lashes coyly.  "W-what was that?" He asked; suddenly wanting nothing more than to push her back against the wall.  She knew just how to get his blood pumping...

"My number." She replied. 

JC laughed.  Lifting his hands he placed them on her face as he leaned forward and kissed her.  "Reliving your teenage fantasies tonight, Sass?" He asked with a chuckle.

"You bet!" Rachel replied with a smile.

"Well," JC stepped back, putting his arms out to the side.  "Here I am.  Have your way with me." He grinned.  "Please."

"Um...I hate to break it to you, Pop star, but it wasn't all about sexing you up when I was seventeen." Rachel replied.  JC felt his smile fade and she chuckled.  "Now? Yes.  But then?  No." She shook her head.

JC looked at Rachel in surprise, one eyebrow rising at her answer.  "I don't believe you." He said. 

"Of course you don't." Rachel laughed.  "Why?" She asked.  "Because you've been conditioned to think that all that girls want to do is throw themselves at you."

"That's because they do." He countered. 

Rachel gasped as she put her hands on her hips--pursing her lips, trying to look upset.  He winked at her and her arms dropped to her sides.  "You didn't think about me like that?" He asked.  "At all?"  He questioned. 

"I didn't say that." Rachel replied as she lifted her chin slightly.  Damn he wanted her!  She was downright irresistible when she was teasing him like this.  "I said it wasn't all about sexing you up." She clarified, her lips twitching up as she tried to keep a straight face.

JC narrowed his eyes as he looked at her for a moment then shrugged.  "Okay." He said as he stepped farther into the room.  He crossed his arms over his chest as he grabbed the hem of his shirt and pulled the material over his head.  "So, if you didn't want my body ten years ago," he asked, tossing the shirt onto the couch sitting against one wall.  "What did you want?"

~~~~~~~ 

"To..." Rachel cleared her throat.  "To be your friend." She swallowed, her stomach quivering and her hormones running wild as she watched JC remove his shirt.  Her eyes ran over his chiseled and toned body, barely suppressing groan.  She shook her head.  What the hell is wrong with me? She wondered.  Why was she suddenly getting so weak kneed being around him--as if they didn't live together, weren't engaged, and didn't share a bed every night?!

His blue eyes slid over to meet hers.  "Friends?" He asked, suspicion clouding his eyes.  Rachel nodded.  He turned to face her fully as he crossed his arms over his bare chest and again, Rachel swallowed--trying to ignore the sudden urge she had to attack him and have her way with him.  "You mean to tell me," he began as he cocked his head to one side in disbelief.  "That if things had worked out, and we had had a chance to meet ten years ago, all you would have wanted was to be friends?"

"Well, it wouldn't have been...all that I wanted." She admitted.  "No.'

"That's what I thought."  JC replied with a smirk as he turned to head towards the bathroom to take a quick shower.

"Hang on!" Rachel replied, stepping towards him as she reached out for him.  She put her hand on his arm, stopping him.  JC looked down at her hand and then back up at her.  "I really did want to be your friend." She told him.  "If we had...I just wanted to meet you, and tell you how much I loved listening to your voice."  She smiled up at him.  "It wasn't all about trying to kiss you or getting you to ask me to go back to your hotel room with you.  You just seemed like a really nice guy," she shrugged.  "And I wanted to get to know you; to maybe hang out." 

JC turned, put one hand on her face, and kissed her.  "As fun as that would have been," he replied, a sparkle of mischief in his eyes.  "I don't think I could have handled being friends with you."  He told her. 

Rachel looked at him in question, her brows furrowing.  "Why not?" She asked, feeling suddenly let down and rejected.  Why wouldn't he have been able to handle being friends with her? 

"Rachel," JC turned to face her fully.  "When we met for the first time I spent the majority of the night at that reception trying to come up with some way to get you to come home with me."  Rachel felt her cheeks warm at the blatant lust burning in his eyes.  "I wanted nothing more than to get you into bed because I knew that we'd be amazing together.  The chemistry we share blows my mind and I know for a fact that, had we met ten years ago, there is no way in hell that I would have been able to survive being your friend.  I would have lost my mind."

Rachel blinked up at him for a moment then threw her arms around his neck--their mouths meeting in a hungry and heated exchange.  She gasped as he turned her slightly, pushing her up against the wall.  His hips pressed into hers as she dug her fingers into his dark hair.  His hands seemed to be everywhere and she finally tore her lips from his, gasping for air as he continued to devour her neck.  She let out a moan as she felt him nip at her, his tongue then soothing over the area and raising goose bumps.  He pulled back all too soon and disappointment coursed through her as he rested his hands on the wall on either side of her as he breathed deeply--his head hanging down, his chest rising and falling heavily. 

"You wanna skip the party tonight?" She asked, running her fingers through his hair as she began nibbling along his jaw.  She loved the feel of his weight pressing her against the wall; of being completely possessed by him but she wanted more.  She arched against him slightly, her body crying out for his.  She knew she wasn't going to be satisfied until they had finished what they had started.  "We could just go home..." She left the invitation hanging, pulling her bottom lips between her teeth as she waited for his response.

"I have to go." He told her, his voice hoarse with restrained desire as his blue eyes met hers.  "It's part of the job.  Everyone else has probably already left without us."

"We could just stay here and have our own party." Rachel offered as she tightened her arms around his neck. 

"Don't tempt me, Sass." He warned. Rachel suppressed her desire to pout as he pulled away from her.  Her arms dropped from around his neck and she watched as he jammed his fingers into his hair.  "Just...just sit here." He told her, pointing at the couch.  "I gotta...I gotta take a shower and then we can...we can go."  He looked dazed and Rachel grinned at his flustered state.  She knew him well enough to know he was fighting an intense internal battle right now between his desires and his sense of obligation.  Rachel sank unsteadily onto the couch, her eyes following him as he walked into the small bathroom.  Normally she admired his sense of obligation and his commitment to always keep his word, but right now she cursed his dedication.  What about me? She wanted to ask.  You got me all worked up and now you're just going to walk away?

"Joshua." She called out.  He stopped, keeping his back to her. 

"Rachel..." He pled, quietly begging her to not make this any more difficult than it already was for him.

She stood and walked towards him.  Wrapping her arms around him she rested one hand against his chest while her other arm went around his waist.  She pressed her lips to the back of his left shoulder and felt him shiver slightly and heard him groan.  "I'm glad we're not just friends." She whispered, her lips lingering once more against his smooth, warm skin.  "I wouldn't have survived it either."

Without warning JC turned and grabbed her hand.  Pulling her into the bathroom with him he shut the door.  Rachel giggled. They were already late.  What the hell were a few more minutes? 

Chapter 15 by azchickadee
Rachel groaned as she began to wake up.  She turned her head as she put one hand over her eyes, trying to block out the light filtering through the curtains.  She tried to roll over--to put her head under her pillow--but found she couldn't move.  Her brows furrowed as she slowly opened her eyes, groaning again as the light in the room made the pain in her head multiply exponentially.  Turning to investigate the cause of her immobility, Rachel came face to face with JC, who was passed out beside her on the bed.  He had one arm flung across her waist as he lay on his stomach--his head turned towards her--while one of his legs lay tangled with hers.  She closed her eyes as she relaxed back against her pillow.  With him half on top of her like he was, she wasn't going anywhere for a while. For a man who was so blasted skinny he was deceptively heavy.  All of the work he'd been putting into getting ready for this tour the past six months had turned his entire body into muscle and Rachel didn't have the strength right now to move him.

She couldn't remember the last time she'd gotten as drunk as she had last night, but--despite the pain in her head and body--she smiled.  The after party last night had been amazing.  Everyone had teased her and JC for showing up late, but the teasing had soon stopped as the party had gotten underway.  Rachel didn't remember much of what happened after her third martini and second shot of tequila, except the fact that they had had the sense enough to call a cab to take them home.  How they'd gotten upstairs in one piece, she wasn't exactly sure but they had and then had promptly passed out.  She prayed that there hadn't been any embarrassing pictures taken of them as they had stumbled out of the club at two a.m.

Rachel was almost asleep again when her alarm clock began to go off.  JC didn't stir beside her and Rachel groaned as she put her arm out, her hand searching for the ‘off' button.  "Make it stop..." She grumbled out loud, her head threatening to split in half at the continued buzzing.  Opening her eyes when she couldn't find it right away, Rachel gasped when she saw what time it was. 

"Damn it!" She exclaimed, her heart racing in panic.  "Jace.  Jace, wake up."  Rachel turned off the alarm but still JC didn't move.  The man could sleep through anything.  "JC!" She pushed at his shoulder but all he did was let out a grunt as he turned his head away from her.  "Joshua, wake up!" She insisted.  Reaching over she pinched his upper arm--hard. 

"Ow!" He exclaimed, removing his arm from where it lay on her.  "Damn it, Rachel, leave me alone!"

"Get up." Rachel replied, pushing him off of her.  "You've got to be at the airport in an hour." She told him, finally sitting up as she slung her legs over the side of the bed.  "Whoa."  She reached out for the nightstand--grabbing onto it to steady herself as the world seemed to suddenly tilt around her.  "The car's going to be here to pick you up soon."

"Shit!" JC exclaimed.  He groaned and she turned to look at him over her shoulder.  He slowly went up on his knees and elbows--his head buried in his pillow as he groaned again. 

"Oh, my head..." He trailed off.

"Get in the shower." Rachel said as she stood finally.  "I'll go make some coffee."  Pushing the hair back from her face, she slowly made her way out of the bedroom and downstairs to the kitchen. 

Before they'd left last night she had had a stroke of inspiration and had decided to set the alarm for this morning--knowing that she would probably forget to do it when they got home.  And she had.  Luckily, most of JC's stuff had already been packed and sent on ahead with the tour buses, which had left last night and would be meeting up with the guys in Portland tonight.  Rachel grabbed the coffeepot and rinsed it out.  After adding water to the coffeemaker and pouring in some new grounds, she turned the machine on and sat down at the kitchen table.  Leaning over, she rested her head on her arms as she waited for the coffee to brew, and prayed for her headache to go away.  This was not the send-off she had imagined for JC as he left to go out on the road for the next six weeks but there wasn't anything she could do about it at this point. 

Dozing off for a few minutes, Rachel startled as the coffee maker beeped.  She stood and shuffled back over to it.  Opening a cupboard she pulled down the travel mug she used to take with her to work in the mornings.  Inhaling appreciatively, Rachel poured the dark liquid into the mug as JC finally made his appearance--hair still slightly damp from his hurried shower, and dark circles under his eyes.  Setting the pot back on the burner, Rachel snapped the lid onto the mug and turned to look at him as he dropped the small duffle bag he was carrying on the floor.  Rachel winced as the sound echoed in her head. 

"Ready?" She asked as she held the mug out to him. He shook his head as he took a sip.  Rachel turned back around, opening up a different cupboard this time, and pulled out a bottle of aspirin.  "Here." She said, shaking out two of the white pills.  She handed them to JC and watched as he put them in his mouth, tossed his head back slightly, and washed them down with the coffee. 

They heard a honk outside and JC turned, bending down to pick up his duffle bag.  He began walking towards the front door, Rachel following after him.  As he opened the door he put on his sunglasses as he turned to face her.  

Rachel put her arms around him as she went up on her toes to kiss him.  "Call me when you get there."

"I will." He promised as he kissed her back. 

"I love you." Rachel told him, putting a hand to his face. 

"I love you, too." He replied, as he kissed her once more.  "I'll call you tonight and I'll see you in a few weeks."

Rachel nodded, trying to hold back her sudden tears as she let him go and watched him walk away from her and towards the town car waiting for him.  She squared her shoulders and forced her emotion back, smiling as she waved at him.  It was only for a couple of weeks, she told herself.  They'd done this before when he'd been on his solo tour last year, and they could do it again.  But after this tour is over I want him home for good.  She thought as she finally closed the front door and leaned back against it.  She didn't like having to say good-bye to him.

Taking a deep breath and then releasing it, Rachel locked the front door and slowly climbed the stairs back to the bedroom.  Crawling back into bed she reached out, grabbed JC's pillow and hugged it to her chest.  She buried her head into it, inhaling his scent--and began counting down the days until she would see him again.

~~~~~~~~~

He reached his hand out, the back of his fingers gently stroking her soft cheek.  She shifted slightly, her lips parting with a soft sigh.  His blue eyes ran over her features--trying to memorize every freckle.  Reluctantly he turned and got out of bed, being careful not to wake her.  The next six weeks were going to be tough being away from her--now that she'd finally agreed to move in with him--and he knew an emotional goodbye would only make this harder on both of them.  Being as quiet as possible Justin quickly dressed, grabbed his duffle bag and-with one last longing look at the woman sleeping in his bed--left the room.

~~~~~~~

Aubrey woke with a start as she heard a door close downstairs.  She sat up in bed, her heart pounding as she looked over at Justin's side of the bed--knowing it would be empty, but hoping she were wrong.  Frantically she threw the covers off of her and jumped out of bed.  Hurrying downstairs she all but ran to the front door, hoping to stop him before he left.  He couldn't just leave without saying goodbye!  They weren't going to see each other for six weeks and he was just going to walk away without so much as a word?  She fumbled with the lock in her hurry to open the door but finally yanked the door open.

"Stop!" She cried out.  But the driveway was empty.  Quiet.  Her bottom lip trembled and she put a hand over her mouth as a tear slipped down her cheek.  Closing the door she leaned back against it and hung her head--hurt beyond words that he hadn't woken her up before he had left.  Why hadn't he woken her up?  How could he just--

"Aubrey?"

She gasped in surprise.  Her head snapped up, her eyes meeting his, and she sobbed as she threw her arms around his neck. "You were just going to leave?" She questioned through her tears.  "Without saying goodbye?"

Justin's arms went around her waist as he bent his head, his chin resting on her shoulder.  "I didn't want to make this harder than it already is." He replied quietly as he hugged her tightly.  "I hate saying goodbye."

"Six weeks, Justin!" She told him.  "You're going to be gone for six weeks and you were just going to leave?!"  She pulled back to look at him. 

"I'm sorry." He told her, lifting one hand to wipe away her tears.  "I didn't...I didn't want to make you cry."

"Too late." Aubrey replied. 

Justin cupped her cheek and looked at her for a moment--his eyes searching hers--then leaned forward, capturing her lips with his own.  Aubrey responded to the kiss, feeling almost desperate as she clung to him.  His mouth moved against hers in that perfect way that he had of kissing her and Aubrey prayed for time to stop.  She wasn't ready.  They had only been living together for a week and here he was leaving her.  She knew this was part of the deal she'd agreed to when she accepted his ring last Christmas and had moved in with him, but she wasn't ready to let him go. 

A honk sounded outside, causing her to jump slightly and pull away from him. 

"That's my cue." He told her, his thumb caressing her cheek.  She swallowed as she dropped her arms from around his neck--nodding, though her tears continued to fall.  "This is for you." He said, pulling a long white envelope from his back pocket.  "I was going to leave it on the table, but..."  Aubrey reached out and took the envelope from him.  She looked down at it for a moment then back up at him. 

"What is it?" She asked.

"It's a plane ticket." He told her.  "In one month." He continued.  "You're going to get on a plane and come see the show in Orlando.  After that I've got about four days off-just in time for your birthday."  He smiled and Aubrey's heart skipped a beat.  "There's a list in there of what I want you to pack." He bent and picked up the duffle bag Aubrey hadn't noticed in her hurry earlier.  Justin put his hand on her face again as he pulled her in for another kiss--groaning as another honk sounded, interrupting them.  "One month." He muttered, though she wasn't sure if he was trying to reassure himself or her that it wasn't that long of a time till they would see each other again.  He took a deep breath then took a step past her. 

Aubrey turned as he opened the front door.  "Justin, wait."  He stopped and turned back around to look at her.  She put her arms around him as she kissed him one more time.  "I love you." She told him.

"I love you." He replied.  "I'll call you tonight." He said.  Aubrey nodded and stepped up to the door, leaning against the wood as she watched him get into the car that had come to pick him up.  He blew a kiss to her as he got in and she clutched the envelope he'd given her tighter.  One month.  She told herself as the car left the driveway and disappeared down the street.  One month.          

~~~~~~~~

"Ma!"

Megan looked up from her laptop the next afternoon as Jackson walked into the bedroom with Scott on his hip.  She smiled, forgetting about the current book cover she was working on as Scott's face lit up at the sight of her. 

"Hi, baby." Megan held her arms out for him.  Jackson handed him over and Scott went to her eagerly.  Megan cuddled her son close--closing her eyes as she inhaled his familiar baby scent.  "Can I have a kiss?" She asked, pulling back to look at Scott.  The baby leaned forward, placing his open mouth against her cheek--leaving a slobbery kiss--and Megan laughed as she hugged him again.  Scott didn't want to stay still for long however, and was soon wiggling out of her arms.  Megan watched as he began crawling around the bed.

"How are you feeling?" Jackson asked.

"Better." She replied, looking up at him.  Her eyes followed him as he sat down on the edge of the bed. She readjusted the glasses on her nose and tucked her hair behind her ears.  It had been a week since she had been released from the hospital, but today was the first day she could tell her body was on the mend.  She had more energy and had begun feeling a little restless--wanting to get out of the house, or at least out of the bedroom.

"You haven't taken any pain pills today." Jackson observed, gesturing to the two white pills he had left on the nightstand for her this morning. 

Megan shook her head.  "I haven't needed them today." She turned to watch Scott once more, feeling nervous and unsure of herself around him.  Since being released from the hospital, Megan had made the decision to go home--hoping to show Jackson she had been sincere in her desire to work on their relationship.  Jackson had voluntarily decided to sleep in the guest room and--beside the kiss they had shared at the hospital--he hadn't made a single move to touch her since before everything had blown up between them.  He was attentive and doting-bringing her whatever she needed so she didn't have to get up and could rest--but Megan had begun to feel that maybe it was too late for them to fix anything.  Jackson was acting more and more like a "friend" everyday instead of a man in love and it broke her heart. 

Scott crawled over to his father and Megan watched as Jackson picked the baby up then stood.  "Come on, Scotty." He said, bouncing Scott on his hip and making him giggle.  "Let's leave Mommy alone while she's working.  Dinner will be ready in about an hour." Jackson said, looking down at her.  "Would you...would you like to come and eat at the table tonight?" He asked, a hint of hesitancy in his voice.  Megan watched as hope filled his blue eyes.  Maybe she was giving up too easily, her heart whispered.

"Yes." She nodded, her heart skipping a beat as she watched a smile spread across Jackson's face.

"Good." He replied, releasing what almost sounded like a sigh of relief.  Megan smiled.

"You said an hour, right?" She asked.

"Yeah." He nodded.  "It should be ready by then."

"Okay." She replied. 

"Okay." He echoed.  Jackson stood there, his eyes locked with hers, until Scott began wiggling in his arms.  The baby seemed to snap him from the daze he had been in and he turned to leave. "We'll, uh...we'll leave you alone."

Megan opened her mouth to respond-ready to tell him that they didn't have to leave--but Jackson beat a hasty retreat out of the room and down the hall.  She looked at the clock on the nightstand.  One hour.  She thought.  Reaching over, she saved her artwork on the laptop and closed the screen.  She may feel like she had more energy, but Megan knew it was going to take her a while to get ready for dinner.  She hadn't showered yet today and she wanted to before she made her appearance for dinner.

"Might as well get started." She muttered under her breath as she moved her legs over the edge of the bed and stood--turning to look at the nightstand again when her cell phone vibrated.  Megan grabbed the phone and flipped it open, reading the message she had received.

How are you feeling today?

Sitting back down on the edge of the bed Megan responded to Rachel's text.

Better. 

Rachel was quick with her reply and Megan laughed as she read the text.

Better? You've been waited on hand and foot by a handsome man for the last week and all you can say is, better?

Megan typed out her response.

And that handsome man just told me dinner is going to be ready in an hour.  I have to go.  I haven't showered yet today...

Setting the phone back on the nightstand she walked into the bathroom and closed the door. 

~~~~~~~

"What's all of this?"

Jackson turned from where he was standing at the stove at Megan's question.  She looked at the table he had set--complete with tablecloth and napkins--then back at him with curious eyes. 

"Dinner." He replied, trying to fight the desire he had to pull her into his arms and kiss her soundly.  She stood looking at him in stunned silence. 

"You should have told me this was going to be a formal event." She replied, a hint of teasing in her voice as she sat down at the table.  "I would have worn something besides my sweats."

He grinned as he turned back to the pasta boiling on the stove.  "You look great to me." He told her.  And it wasn't a lie.  She did look great to him.  He snuck another glance over at her--taking in the pair of grey sweats and black T-shirt she was wearing.  Her hair was still damp from the shower he had heard her taking, and she had pulled it back into a loose ponytail.  Jackson wanted nothing more than to pull her close and inhale the clean, familiar scent of her shampoo. 

He had been surprised when she had been released from the hospital and she had told him she wanted to come home.  Surprised but grateful.  He had taken her home and had done everything he could to make sure she had everything she needed and was taken care of while she was recuperating.  He had noticed a difference in her today--she seemed to have more energy and just looked healthier--and had decided, now that she was healing physically, it was time to start healing their relationship. 

"Where's Scott?" Megan asked, bringing him out of his thoughts. 

"Your mom came by a few minutes ago and picked him up." He replied, taking the pot of noodles off the stove and draining them into the colander he'd placed in the sink.  Once drained he placed the pasta back into the pot, added a little bit of olive oil to keep them from getting sticky, and added the jar of spaghetti sauce he had opened earlier to them.  Mixing the pasta and sauce together, Jackson then transferred the spaghetti into a bowl and walked over to the table. 

"So it's just the two of us tonight?" Megan asked, her hazel eyes watching him closely as he sat down across from her.

"Yeah." Jackson nodded, suddenly feeling nervous-wondering what she was thinking.  "Is that..." he hesitated.  "Is that okay?"

"Yeah." She smiled hesitantly, the barest hint of a blush on her cheeks as she looked down at the table.  Jackson smiled at her reaction.  He knew it was going to be slow going--earning her trust back--but he was confident he could do it.  He knew she still loved him...all he had to do was remind her of that fact and prove to her that they belonged together.

One step at a time.  He thought as he took the plate Megan held out to him and put some spaghetti on it.  One step at a time. 

~~~~~~~~

"Dinner was great, Jackson." Megan said as she finished the last bite of her salad and put her fork on her now empty plate.  "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He replied with a smile and Megan's stomach quivered slightly.  She had been afraid that dinner was going to be awkward, but there hadn't been an uncomfortable moment yet.  Jackson had kept the conversation going--asking her about the latest cover she was working on and how things were going working on the designs Rachel wanted for her company--and Megan had felt herself relax.  It had felt sort of like a first date all over again which she had thought was kind of weird, until she realized that that was exactly what it was.  Because of all of the secrets and lost trust between them it was like they were starting over from scratch--having to get to know each other all over again.  She pushed back from the table, intent on taking her plate to the sink until Jackson stopped her.

"Let me do that." He said, standing and taking the plate from her. 

"I can help." She insisted. 

"I don't want you to overdo it." He shook his head and she watched as he took the dishes to the sink. 

"Jackson..."

"This won't take me long." He continued, as if he hadn't heard her.  "Go sit down on the couch and rest."

That's what I've been doing all week! Megan thought with an irritated sigh as she turned and walked into the family room.  She was getting bored of "resting."  Sitting down in the middle of their large leather sofa she turned on the television and began flipping through the channels until one caught her attention. 

N SYNC is doing it again. 

The group that once shattered sales records with their CD, "No Strings Attached" back in 2000,  is taking everybody by surprise again.  It's been almost eight years since they were all on stage together, performing, but the guys-Justin, JC, Joey, Lance and Chris-look like they never took a day off.  With sales of their latest album reaching almost five million in the last four months, the group kicked off their U.S. tour with a show last week in L.A. to an almost sold-out crowd.  Once again these five guys are showing the world they have what it takes to be successful and they're reminding all of us why we fell in love with them in the first place. 

Megan sighed as she leaned back against the couch and continued watching Entertainment Tonight.  She had been planning on going to the guys' first show in L.A. with Rachel until she'd found herself in the hospital last week.  Rachel was coming to Phoenix and they were going to go to the show here together, but it wasn't going to be the same and she couldn't help feeling disappointed.  She loved Rachel like a sister, but sometimes Megan found herself envying her best friend the life she had--living in L.A., starting her own company, living with and engaged to her teenage idol...

"Is there anything good on tonight?" Jackson asked, drawing Megan from her thoughts as he came into the room.

Megan turned to look at him.  "Not really." She replied as she began flipping through the channels again.  "You'd think that with all of these channels we have that something interesting would be on." She remarked dryly.

Jackson chuckled.  "Makes me wonder sometimes why we even pay for satellite.  Do you want to watch a movie?" He asked.

"Sure." Megan nodded. 

"What do you want to watch?" He questioned, walking over to the shelving unit that held their DVD collection. 

"I don't care." Megan replied.  "Surprise me."  She watched him as he perused through the movies for a few moments, finally selected one and put it into the player.  Megan's eyes followed Jackson as he came to sit down next to her--making himself comfortable against the arm of the couch.  "What did you pick?" She asked.

"You told me to surprise you." He replied with a glint of something almost mischievous in his dark blue eyes.  "Watch and see."

Megan looked at him for a few more seconds then turned her attention back to the television.  She smiled when the opening menu appeared on the screen.  "While You Were Sleeping?" She asked, turning back to look at him.  "Did you pick this just because it's my favorite?" She questioned.

"No." He shook his head.  "I picked it because it's one of the first movies we ever watched together." He told her.

"I remember." Megan smiled, a tingling sensation beginning in stomach and spreading throughout the rest of her body as Jackson continued to look at her intently.  "Valentine's Day, right?" She asked.  He nodded.  She remembered being surprised to discover he owned the movie and laughing at his admission that his sister had made him buy it so he would have a chick flick for when he ever had a girl over.  "We fell asleep on the couch together and then I woke up the next morning and you had carried me to bed." She continued, reliving the memory in her mind. "That's when I..." she trailed off, suddenly nervous about telling him that that had been the night she had known she was falling in love with him.  They had only been on a few dates prior to Valentine's Day, but that night had solidified her feelings for this man sitting beside her. 

"When you, what?" Jackson asked. 

"Nothing." Megan shook her head as she turned to look at the screen once more.  Pushing play, she set the remote aside and tried to ignore the fact that Jackson was staring at her--and the way her heart was pounding nervously in her chest. 

~~~~~~~

Jackson sat, watching Megan as she concentrated on the movie.  He wanted to reach out and touch her, but didn't want to push her farther than she was comfortable with right now.  He felt certain he knew what she had been about to say earlier, but again--he didn't want to push her.  Pushing wasn't going to earn her trust back.  With a sigh he finally tore his gaze away from her as he stretched his legs out in front of him, one arm going up on the back of the couch--praying for the inspiration he needed to know what to say to her that would put him back in her good graces. 

He was surprised when Megan suddenly shifted and leaned against him.  His heart leapt in his chest as she put her head back against his shoulder.  He turned slightly, to make it more comfortable for her and she nestled against him.  He couldn't help the hope that flared to life in his chest.  Hesitantly, he dropped his arm down from the cushions and wrapped it around the front of her shoulders--wondering what she would do.  When she didn't pull away or ask him not to touch her he leaned his head back and closed his eyes-sending a silent prayer of gratitude heavenward. 

They stayed like that for the rest of the movie and it wasn't until he reached over for the remote to turn off the TV that Jackson realized Megan had fallen asleep.  He moved--transferring her from laying against him, to lying down on the couch--thinking she would wake up but she stayed asleep.  Walking towards the hall he turned on the light then walked back to the couch.  He stood looking down at Megan for a moment then bent slightly.  Sliding one arm beneath her head and the other beneath her knees he lifted her into his arms.  She let out a quiet sigh as she rested her head against his shoulder and he wanted nothing more than to keep her in his arms like this forever; to know that she was safe and that she trusted him was all that he wanted. 

He knew he couldn't just stand there holding her all night however, and began walking down the hall towards the Master bedroom.  Intent on putting her to bed and then leaving her to go sleep in the guest room where he had taken up residence, Jackson placed Megan down on the mattress.  He couldn't resist reaching out to caress her cheek with the back of his hand, and gave in to the desire to kiss her--leaning down to press his lips against her forehead.  Finally forcing himself to take a step back Jackson turned to leave the room. 

"Jackson?"

Megan's sleepy voice caught him by surprise and he turned to look at her.  "I'm here." He answered, stepping back towards the bed.  "What do you need?"

Megan reached her hand out, grabbing one of his.  "Stay." She requested and he wanted to pinch himself to see if he was asleep.  She let go of his hand and he watched as she scooted towards the middle of the bed and turned on her side facing away from him. 

Jackson stood rooted in place, trying to decide what to do.  He wanted to crawl in bed beside her, but did she really know what she was saying or was she still asleep?  Would she be upset to find him in bed with her in the morning?  His head and his heart argued for what seemed like forever until finally he decided to throw all caution to the wind. 

Stepping back out into the hallway, Jackson turned off the light--the streetlight outside providing the only illumination in the bedroom.  Peeling his shirt off over his head, he walked over to the dresser and pulled out a pair of cotton pajama pants.  Trading them for the jeans he was wearing, Jackson walked back over to the bed.  Taking a deep breath, and praying this wouldn't come back to bite him in the morning, he lifted the sheets and slipped beneath them.  Rolling over on his side next to Megan--molding his body around hers--Jackson wrapped his arms around her. 

"I love you." Megan breathed and he felt like crying.  Jackson pressed a kiss to her shoulder and tightened his arms around her--attempting to get as close to her as possible.

"I love you, too." He choked out, his voice cracking with emotion.  "I love you, too."  He heard her breath out a quiet sigh and knew she had fallen asleep again.  Closing his eyes, Jackson relaxed like he hadn't been able to in weeks and quickly followed her.

One step at a time...

Chapter 16 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Happy Monday :)
One month later...

"The only things he told you to pack were a swimming suit and your black dress?" Rachel asked Aubrey as the girls worked at putting together the desk spread out in front of them.

"Yep." Aubrey nodded.  "Can you hand me that screwdriver?" She asked, pointing to the tool by Rachel. Rachel had finally found a retail space she liked and felt like she could afford and had put a bid in on it a few weeks ago. Last week she'd been notified that her bid had been accepted and, after signing the papers yesterday, the two of them had begun to set up the office.

"What do you think he has planned?" Rachel asked as she flipped through the instruction book that had come with the desk.  "I don't think that part goes there." She remarked, looking back and forth between the directions and the pieces Aubrey was putting together.

"Yes, it does." Aubrey replied, wiping the back of her hand across her forehead.  "See?" She pointed at the illustration on the page.  "A and B go together like this." She gestured at what she was doing.  "And that's what I'm doing."

"Okay..." Rachel drawled sounding unsure.

"Trust me." Aubrey chuckled.

"I do." Rachel replied. "But I'm also glad this is going to be your desk." She teased.  Both girls laughed.

"To answer your question." Aubrey said as she went back to work assembling.  "I have no idea what Justin is planning.  I never know what that boy is planning." She sighed.  "All the men who say women are hard to understand, haven't lived with the one and only Justin Timberlake."

"I hope they haven't lived with him." Rachel giggled.

Aubrey laughed as she rolled her eyes.  "You know what I mean."

"I know." Rachel chuckled.  "Believe me.  JC can be so irritating and confusing sometimes, but..." she smiled and shrugged.  "It's a small price to pay."

Aubrey smiled.  "What is there to do in Florida for four days wearing either a formal dress or a swimming suit?" She asked.

"I don't know." Rachel replied with a shake of her head.  "I've never been there, but I'm planning on finding out this weekend."

"You're going to Florida this weekend?" Aubrey asked in surprise as she looked over at the other girl.

Rachel nodded.  "I thought I told you."  Aubrey shook her head.  "Oh," Rachel remarked with a shrug of one shoulder.  "I'm going to Florida this weekend." She told Aubrey making her chuckle.  "The guys have a couple days off--as you know," she grinned at Aubrey.  "And it's been a couple weeks since I saw JC in Phoenix.  I figured it was time to surprise him.  Besides...I'm dying to see what Justin has planned for your birthday."

"JC doesn't know you're coming?" Aubrey asked.

"Nope." Rachel shook her head.  "And if he finds out, I'll know who told him." She continued, picking up a pair of pliers and holding them out towards Aubrey threateningly. 

"My lips are sealed." Aubrey chuckled.  "Too bad we can't fly out together." She mused.  "It's a long flight from L.A. to Orlando."

"We are." Rachel replied. 

"Really?" Aubrey looked at her in question.  "How in the world did you swing that?"

"I know a guy." Rachel shrugged, a mischievous smile on her face.  Aubrey continued to look at her and she finally broke down laughing.  "I called Justin and got your flight information from him last week." 

"If JC finds out you're coming you can blame Justin." Aubrey told her.  "His mouth sometimes gets him into trouble."

Rachel laughed.  "We should go shopping." She stated.

"Why?" Aubrey asked.

"Because we're going to Florida." Rachel replied as if the answer were obvious.  "It's the perfect excuse to buy some new clothes, and I want to get a new bikini, don't you?"

"Uh..." Aubrey hesitated. 

"You have a bikini, right?" Rachel asked.  "Please don't tell me that you're going to  bring a one-piece."

Aubrey felt her cheeks warm slightly.  "There's nothing wrong with a one-piece." She defended.  "Besides, I don't think you want to see this," she waved her arm down her body.  "In a bikini." She teased, trying to laugh her way out of the awkward situation.

"Justin does." Rachel replied confidently. 

"I can't." Aubrey shook her head, focusing her attention on the desk. 

"Why not?" Rachel prodded.  "Aubrey, you're not fat."

"It's not that." Aubrey answered. 

"Then what is it?"

"I'm just not...comfortable...showing off my body like that." Aubrey replied.  "I never have been."

"It's time to break out of your shell, Aubrey." Rachel told her.  "And this is the perfect time to do it.  If Justin's never seen you in a bikini, imagine what he's going to do when you put one on." She grinned.  "Come on..." She begged with a smile on her face. 

Aubrey looked at her for a moment, thinking.  "I don't know..." She drawled.

"You'll be fine." Rachel assured her.  "Come on."

Aubrey took a deep breath.  "Fine." She replied with a sigh. 

"Yea!" Rachel exclaimed, excitedly clapping her hands together then stood up. 

"Where are you going?" Aubrey asked. 

"Shopping!" Rachel replied.  "Come on."

~~~~~~~~~

"Do you think you and JC will ever have kids?" Aubrey asked Rachel that evening.  After spending the afternoon shopping for their upcoming weekend trip, the girls had gone back to Rachel's house, ordered some pizza and were going to watch a movie.

"Yes."  Rachel answered as she sat down on the couch next to her.  "Some day.  That was a random question." She chuckled as she picked up a slice of pizza and took a bite.

"I was just curious." Aubrey shrugged.  She kept her eyes focused on the plate sitting on her lap.  "Do you think..." Aubrey paused.  "I mean...with JC's past, do you think you guys would ever adopt?"

"I don't know." Rachel answered as she took another bite.  "We haven't really talked about it.  Why?"

"No reason." Aubrey replied as she took a bite of her pizza, wishing she had just kept her mouth closed.  She knew she had piqued Rachel's interest--she could see it in her friend's eyes-and once her interest was piqued, Rachel wasn't one to let something go without getting the answers she felt she needed.

"Are you and Justin talking about having kids?" Rachel asked, watching Aubrey intently.

"We've talked about." Aubrey nodded.  "But I can't."

"He's not going to be a super celebrity forever." Rachel told her.  "One day everyone's going to forget all about Justin Timberlake and he'll be just a regular guy."

Aubrey looked at Rachel skeptically.  Somehow she doubted Justin would ever be a "regular guy."  She shook her head.  "That's not what I mean." She remarked.  "That's not the reason." She said, wracking her brain trying to remember if she'd ever divulged her medical history with Rachel.

"Then what is the reason?" Rachel inquired.

"I...can't have kids."   Aubrey told her. 

"Rachel looked at her in question.  "What do you mean?" She questioned.

"I can't get pregnant." Aubrey's confession was met with silence for a moment.

"At all?" Rachel asked.  Aubrey shook her head.  "So...are you guys planning on adopting?"

Aubrey sighed as she picked at the pizza crust on her plate.  "I don't know.  He says he wants to have kids and I've always wanted a family but adopting..." Aubrey hesitated.  "I want to have Justin's baby." She confessed quietly, voicing the thought aloud for the first time.  "Not somebody else's." She said, feeling guilty as the words left her mouth.  She knew that no matter how she and Justin had children she would love them but--since they had discussed having a family and Justin had told her that if she wanted to they would start looking into adopting--all Aubrey could think about was having a baby with Justin's curls and bright blue eyes.  She knew it was an impossible dream, but she couldn't deny the longing she felt to be able to have that part of him forever--to know they had created a child together.

"Have you thought about getting a surrogate?" Rachel asked.  Aubrey looked up at her in surprise.     

"A surrogate?" Aubrey questioned.

Rachel nodded as she took a sip of her Diet Coke.  "A little something from you, a little something from Justin, and viola!  You've got yourself a baby!" She grinned.  "You just need somebody else to carry it but it would be yours." Rachel told her.   

"I hadn't thought about...would that..." Aubrey paused, trying to adjust to the idea.  "Do you think that would work?" She asked, a sliver of hope beginning to flicker in her chest.  Maybe her dream of having Justin's baby wasn't as impossible as she thought.

"Why wouldn't it?" Rachel asked.  "Unless there's something wrong with Justin..." She left the question open and looked at Aubrey expectantly. 

"No." Aubrey chuckled, her cheeks warming.  "No.  There's nothing wrong with Justin."

"Then it'll work." Rachel smiled as she nodded her head confidently.  "Now that we've solved that problem," she said, grabbing another piece of pizza.  "On to the next one!" Aubrey chuckled.  "What movie do you want to watch?"  

~~~~~~~~

"This airport is insane!" Rachel exclaimed as she and Aubrey walked through the Orlando International Airport Saturday afternoon.  "Look." She said pointing, as she adjusted her purse on her shoulder.  "There's a hotel right in the middle of it!  Are we renting a car?" She asked.  "Or what's the deal?"

"I talked to Justin last night." Aubrey replied.  "They guys are all at sound check right now, so he said he was going to send somebody to pick us up."

"Somebody?" Rachel questioned.  "Did he say who?"

"Nope." Aubrey shook her head.  "He just said to look for someone at the pick-up area after we got our luggage." She looked over at Rachel as her phone began to ring.

"It's JC." Rachel told her.  "I don't know how much longer I can keep lying to him." She remarked as she flipped open her phone and pressed it to her ear.  "Hey, pop star." She greeted JC with a smile and Aubrey chuckled as the girls kept walking.  "How's sound check going?"

Aubrey tuned Rachel out as she continued talking to JC--explaining to him again about why she couldn't possibly come see him this weekend because of needing to get everything set up at the office now that she had a place--and kept an eye out for the "somebody" Justin had sent to pick them up as they approached the baggage claim and passenger pick-up area.

"...why don't you come home this weekend?" Aubrey heard Rachel ask JC.  "You're perfectly capable of getting on a plane, just the same as I am." Aubrey laughed again and Rachel winked at her.  Rachel sighed dramatically as she went back to her conversation.  "I know it's been two weeks, Jace, believe me."  She was quiet for a second.  "Of course I miss you!" She exclaimed.  "What kind of question is that?  Why are you being so whiney today?  Is everything okay?"  The girls stopped in front of the baggage carousel designated for the flight they had been on and waited for their bags.  "Look," Rachel said after a few minutes of listening to what JC was telling her.  "There's still a lot to do to get ready for the wedding but...maybe I can re-arrange a few things and meet up with you guys in Chicago next week, how about that?"  She listened again, nodding a few times.  "Yes...okay.  Good luck tonight.  Call me after the show, okay?"  She smiled.  "I gotta go." She said reaching for her suitcase as it came around on the carousel.  "I love you, too."  She ended the call and slipped the phone into her purse.

"You're going to be in trouble." Aubrey remarked as she grabbed her own bag and the girls turned to leave the area.

"What?" Rachel asked.  "Why?"

"Aren't you worried at all about the fact that you've been lying to him about this weekend?" Aubrey questioned.  "What is he going to do when you suddenly show up at the venue in an hour?"

Rachel laughed.  "He's going to stand there speechless for a minute." She said.  "Then he's going to kiss me and forget all about the fact that I've been lying to him for the last week.  Look," she said, pointing out a sign with Aubrey's name on it.  "I think that's for us."

Aubrey took in the man standing by the exit, holding a little white sign with "Aubrey Janae" printed on it, and couldn't help feeling slightly disappointed.  Though she knew it was impossible, she had hoped that Justin was just trying to be sneaky and he was actually going to be the one to pick them up.  But the man standing there waiting wasn't Justin.  Though his eyes were covered by a dark pair of glasses and his head covered with a black hat--completing the chauffer's uniform he was wearing--the thick blonde mustache covering his upper lip solidified the fact that it couldn't possibly be Justin.  The girls walked towards him and stopped.

"Are you Aubrey?" The man asked in a thick Russian accent.

"Yes." Aubrey nodded, her eyes narrowing slightly.  Though he spoke with an accent, his voice sounded suspiciously like Justin's.  She stood looking at him in silence for a moment, trying to convince herself she wasn't going crazy, until she saw the man's lips twitch up slightly at her continued staring.  "Justin?" She asked quietly. 

"Shhh!" He replied lifting his hand and lowering his sunglasses slightly--revealing his sparkling blue eyes.  He winked at her.  "My name is, Randy." He told her, putting the glasses back up on his nose and pointing to the name tag he was wearing.

"A Russian named, Randy?" Rachel asked with a laugh.  "You need to work on your undercover skills."  Justin grinned.  "How did you manage to get away from sound check, Randy?" Rachel asked with a chuckle.

"Very quietly." Justin replied, keeping the Russian accent.  "I think if we hurry we can get back before anyone notices I'm gone."

"And I think you have way too much time on your hands." Aubrey remarked with a laugh as she reached up and tugged lightly at the mustache he was wearing. 

"Careful." He told her, smoothing his fingers over the facial hair.  "You're going to give me away.  The car is this way." He said.  "Follow me."

Aubrey and Rachel looked at each other as Justin began walking away and laughed.  "Are you sure you want to have his baby?" Rachel asked as they began following him. "He's a little crazy." She laughed.

"Yeah." Aubrey smiled, her eyes staying on Justin's back as he walked in front of them.  "He keeps life...interesting."

"I know you're talking about me." Justin said over his shoulder.  "I would suggest you stop if you want a ride."

"I wouldn't be making threats, Randy." Rachel replied.  "If you don't want us blowing your cover and getting you in even more trouble than you're going to be in when you get back to the venue."  

Justin shook his head and Aubrey heard him sigh dramatically which made her chuckle.  "I'm glad you're here, Rachel." Justin stated but Aubrey couldn't tell if he were being sincere or facetious. 

"Why's that?" Rachel asked.

"Because JC has been in a bad mood ever since you left him in Phoenix." He replied, turning around to look at the girls.  "Especially today.  I'm really hoping you can cheer him up."

"What did you do to him this time?" Rachel teased.

"Me?" Justin asked, stopping and putting a hand against his chest.  "How come whenever JC's in a bad mood everybody automatically assumes it's because I've done something?" Rachel and Aubrey looked at each other and then back at him.  "Don't even say it." He said pointing a finger at them, guessing what they were both thinking.  Both girls began laughing and he turned back around, grumbling under his breath as they walked out into the parking garage.  He finally stopped next to a black Lexus and opened the trunk. 

Aubrey stood next to him as he put the bags in.  When he shut the trunk he turned to look at her.  Reaching up she took off the hat and dark glasses he was wearing and set them on the trunk of the car.  Justin put his arms around her waist--pulling her tight against him-and leaned his head down to kiss her. 

"Uh-uh." Aubrey shook her head, placing the fingers of one hand against his lips as she leaned away from him. 

"Are you kidding me?" He asked.  "Four weeks, Aubrey Janae." He all but growled.  "I haven't been able to see you, touch you, or kiss you for four.  Whole.  Weeks.  I flew you here, I spent the last two months planning your birthday present and you're going to stand here and deny me?  Really?"

Aubrey laughed.  "I just want you to take off that stupid mustache first." She told him.  "I can't take you serious while you're wearing it."

Justin narrowed his eyes at her as he lifted one hand, ripped the mustache from his face and--before she could blink-bent her back over his arm as his mouth captured hers in a heated and driven kiss.  Aubrey wound her arms around his neck as she kissed him back enthusiastically--quickly becoming lost in the exchange. 

Rachel cleared her throat and Justin reluctantly pulled away from Aubrey--glaring at Rachel.

"Look, I know you two are excited to see each other," Rachel began.  "But I'm kind of anxious to see my man."  She folded her arms over her chest. "Do you think maybe we could get going?" She asked, gesturing towards the car. 

Justin placed one more, hard kiss to Aubrey's lips before straightening.  Aubrey giggled as he unwound his arms from around her, tugged on the black suit jacket he was wearing, grabbed his hat, and turned towards Rachel as he put the hat back on his head.  "JC better be in one hell of a good mood after this weekend."  He told her, jerking the back seat door open.  "Or else..."        

~~~~~~~~

Rachel followed Aubrey and Justin into the venue, keeping an eye out for JC.  Her heart was skipping in her chest.  True, it had only been about ten days since they'd spent the weekend together in Phoenix, but she was anxious to see him again.  The three of them wound their way through the chaos going on backstage until Justin opened a door and let them into a large room. 

"Aubrey!" Chris exclaimed, jumping up from the couch where he had been lounging.  "You're looking lovely today." 

"What exactly is this strange fascination you seem to have with my fiancée?" Justin questioned Chris as he slung his arm over Aubrey's shoulders.

"I'm just hoping that when she realizes you can't give her what she wants, that she'll see that I can." Chris answered, puffing out his chest arrogantly. 

"Sit down, old man." Justin replied, reaching out and shoving Chris back down on the couch. 

"Where's JC?" Rachel inquired, looking around the room. 

"I think he's out on his bus." Lance answered.

"His bus?" She questioned.  "Why is he out there?"

"He wasn't feeling well during sound check." Joey supplied. "Said he was going to go out there where it was quiet until the show started."

"Where are the buses?"

~~~~~~~~

"JC?"

JC groaned as someone called his name.  He heard the door of his tour bus close and a set of footsteps walk back towards the bedroom at the back of the bus where he was.  "Is it time to go on, already?" He muttered, trying to gather the strength to get out of bed.  He felt like he'd only barely lain down.  He felt terrible and wanted nothing but to just stay in bed, but...duty called.

"JC?"

Again his name was called and he slowly sat up, leaning his legs over the side of the bed.  Leaning his elbows on his knees he put his head in his hands and prayed for the strength he needed to make it through the show tonight.  He had been feeling sick all day and had barely made it through sound check a few hours ago.  If he could just make it through the next few hours he could sleep for the four days they had off until their next show.

"Jace?"  The voice called out again.

"I'm up." He mumbled.

"Josh?"

He turned his head towards the door and opened his eyes.  "Rachel?" He questioned. 

"Joshua, what's wrong?" She asked in concern as she walked towards him.

He placed his head in his hands again.  "I must be sicker than I thought." He muttered.  "I'm hallucinating now."

"You're not hallucinating." Rachel said, coming to kneel down in front of him.  She put her hands on his face and lifted his head to look at her.  "You're burning up!" She exclaimed, putting her hands on his face and brushing his hair back from his face.  Her beautiful brown eyes were clouded with fear and worry as she looked up at him.  He leaned into her touch, her hands feeling cool against his heated skin and closed his eyes.  "You can't go on stage like this."  

"I have to..." JC trailed off.

"No." Rachel stated.  He opened his eyes and watched as she shook her head.  "I won't let you."  She stood up.

"Where are you going?" He asked, reaching for her hand and looking up at her.  He didn't want her to leave.  He didn't know how she'd gotten there or how she had known that he needed her, but he didn't want to let her go.

"I'll be back." She assured him, putting her other hand on his face--her thumb stroking his cheek.  "I have to go find someone to tell them that you can't go on tonight and they need to cancel the show."

"No." JC shook his head.  "I don't...I don't want to cancel the show." 

"JC." Rachel replied, putting her other hand on her hip.  "I'm not letting you go out on stage tonight when you can't even get out of bed!"

"Who are you, my mother?" He asked with a teasing smile though he was secretly glad she was insisting he stay in bed.  He knew he wasn't going to be able to perform tonight.  He put his hand over hers where it rested on his face and looked up at her.

"No." She replied with a quiet chuckle.  "But in two weeks I am going to be your wife, and I don't want you killing yourself before we have a chance to say I do."  He chuckled.  "Especially after all the time and hard work I've put in to planning everything.  Now please," she pled.  "Lie down.  I'll be back."

JC lay back down, reluctantly letting go of Rachel's hand as she stepped away from the bed.  "I'll be back." She promised.  He watched her leave the room then closed his eyes, grateful for the miracle of her appearance.  If he wasn't so sick he would be excited at the prospect of being able to spend the next four days with her, showing her around Orlando.  As it was all he wanted was for her to come back and put her arms around him.  As he allowed himself to fall asleep, JC willed Rachel to come back as quickly as possible.

~~~~~~~~

"Well..." Justin turned from watching Rachel leave to look at Aubrey.  "It appears we have a free night, now that the show's been cancelled.  What do you want to do?"

"I'm starving." She replied. 

"Step one." Justin stated as he put one arm around her waist and pulled her close.  "Feed the hungry fiancée."  Aubrey giggled as she looked up at him. 

"You guys want to come over to the house?" Chris offered.  "I can put out the call and we could have a party going in about forty-five minutes."

Justin looked down at Aubrey in question.  She shrugged.  "Whatever you want." She told him.  "As long as I get something to eat soon."

"I think we're going to go our own way tonight." Justin told Chris.  "But thanks."  He said.

"Your loss." Chris replied.

"What do you want to eat?" Justin asked Aubrey as they were left alone again. 

"I'm easy." She replied. 

"We'll get to that later." Justin smirked and Aubrey smacked his chest playfully. 

"You know Orlando better than I do." Aubrey stated.  "Surprise me."

Justin pursed his lips as he thought for a moment then grinned.  "Alright, come on." He said, grabbing her hand.  "Let's go.  I'll show you some of the sights."

~~~~~~~~

"Is it weird?" Aubrey asked as she reached for Justin's hand a few hours later--lacing her fingers with his as they left the restaurant.

"Is what weird?" He questioned as they began walking through the courtyard of the resort they'd come to and down to the beach. 

"Being back here--performing in Orlando again?" She clarified.

"A little." He nodded.  "I did spend a good portion of my childhood here."

"Do you miss it?" Aubrey asked, reaching up with her other hand to brush the hair from her face.  She watched as he looked around. 

"No." He finally shook his head.  "Don't get me wrong," he continued.  "I have a lot of great memories tied up here, but that doesn't mean I want to move back." They stopped as they reached the sand and Aubrey let go of his hand.  Reaching down they both took off their shoes then, holding them in one hand, laced their fingers together again.  "Was there a reason you asked?" He questioned as they continued walking. 

"No." Aubrey replied.  "I was just curious."  She smiled up at him and Justin gave her fingers a squeeze.  They were quiet for a moment as they walked along the beach.  Dinner had been amazing and, though she wouldn't wish the flu on anyone, Aubrey was secretly glad JC had gotten sick and the show had been cancelled.  She leaned her head against Justin's arm.  "I really missed you." She confessed quietly. 

Justin stopped and turned to look at her.  Dropping his shoes to the sand, he lifted his hand--tucking her hair behind her ear--then trailed his fingertips along the curve of her cheek.  "I missed you too, Aubrey Janae." He replied.  His fingers went under her chin as he lifted her face to his, their lips meeting in a warm kiss. 

Aubrey dropped her shoes then wound her arms around his neck as she kissed him back.  His lips moved against hers with the perfect combination of softness and strength that was all his own.  His nose brushed against hers as he tilted his head and deepened the kiss and Aubrey's entire body was tingling by the time he pulled back-both of them struggling for breath. 

"I love the way you kiss me." She sighed.  Justin leaned his forehead against hers and she closed her eyes. 

"What did you wish for?" He asked quietly.  Aubrey opened her eyes and looked at him in question.  "Last year." He clarified.  "What was your birthday wish?"

Aubrey was quiet as her eyes remained locked with his--her stomach quivering at the intensity in his blue eyes.  "I wanted you to see me." She told him, her fingers toying with the small hairs at the back of his neck.  He shivered slightly in her arms.  "As more than just a friend." 

Justin brushed his thumb back and forth across her bottom lip before closing the distance between them again, kissing her softly.  Aubrey closed her eyes, melting against him.  "And this year?" He asked his voice low, his warm breath hitting her lips.  "What are you going to wish for?"

She shook her head.  "I don't know." She replied honestly, opening her eyes once more to look at him.  "I feel guilty wishing for anything else when I have so much.  I just want you." She continued.  "I don't know what you have planned for the next few days, but all I want is to be with you."

He smiled.  "Your wish is my command."

Chapter 17 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
becuase I love you guys...and because there's nothing good on TV tonight!

"Coconut and shrimp..."

Rachel turned from her laptop that rested on her outstretched legs and looked down at JC as he lay sleeping beside her on the hotel bed.  He muttered something else under his breath that she couldn't make out and she chuckled quietly.  She reached over and brushed the hair back from his forehead.  After convincing the rest of the guys last night that he was too sick to perform, Rachel had booked a hotel room close to the venue and JC had been asleep ever since they'd checked in.

Thirteen hours and counting. Rachel thought as she looked at the time on her computer screen.  She put her hand against his forehead.  His skin was still warm but his fever wasn't as high as it had been.  JC shifted in his sleep, putting one arm across her lap and scooted closer to her.  Rachel smiled as her fingers combed through his hair. 

"Mmmm...what time is it?" JC muttered sleepily. 

"Eight." She told him.  "Go back to sleep." 

"I'm sorry." He apologized.

"For what?" Rachel asked. 

"I didn't know you were coming, but you probably weren't planning on spending the entire weekend stuck in a hotel room with me." He replied.

"Actually," Rachel grinned and JC looked up at her.  "I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend then to be stuck in a hotel room with you." She told him with a wink.  He chuckled weakly as he laid his head back down.  "How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Worn out." He replied.  "I haven't been this sick in a while."

"Time to take it easy for a few days?" She remarked.

"Apparently." He answered.  He removed his arm from around her and rolled over. 

"Where are you going?" Rachel asked as he swung his legs over the side of the bed and sat there for a moment. 

"Bathroom." He replied as he stood slowly. 

"Do you need help?" Rachel asked in concern, setting her laptop on the mattress beside her.  He didn't look very steady on his feet at the moment.

"I'm fine." JC replied, turning to give her a reassuring smile.  "Just...give me a few minutes."

"Okay." She nodded.  "But if you're not back in ten minutes, I'm coming in after you." She pointed a finger at him. 

JC laughed.  "Okay."

Rachel chuckled as she watched him walk into the bathroom and shut the door.  She looked over at her laptop as it suddenly chimed.  She picked it up and set it back on her legs as Megan began IM-ing her. 

 

Megster: Hey!  Didn't expect to see you online.  I was just about to send you an email.

Sassypants82: Good morning.  Isn't it kind of early where you are?

Megster: Yes...but I couldn't sleep. How's Florida?

Sassypants82: Well...our hotel room is nice...

Megster: lol

Megster: Have you not done anything yet?

Sassypants82: nope :(

Sassypants 82: JC is sick

Megster: That sucks!  What's wrong?

Sassypants82: I can't decide if it's the flu, or just the fact that he's been running at full power for the last month without any breaks.  I think he's getting kind of old for all this touring and rock star business but don't tell him I said so...

Megster: lol...wasn't he just out on tour last year?

Sassypants82: yes, but JC on tour as a solo artist is completely different than JC on tour as a member of N SYNC.

Sassypants82: he just barely got up a minute ago after sleeping for the last thirteen hours

Megster: sorry...I know you were planning on this trip going differently...

Sassypants82: It's okay.  I really just wanted to spend time with him, and I am :)

Sassypants82: Why were you going to email me?

Megster: Oh!  Because I just found out that one of our favorite fan fiction writers from back in the day is writing again!

 

Rachel laughed out loud as she read Megan's response. 

 

Sassypants82: Who?  And do I want to know how you know this?

Megster: I was bored yesterday.

Sassypants82: lol...so you decided to go look for old stories online about the guys?

Megster: Something like that  :)

Sassypants82: So who is it?

Megster: fictionlyn

Sassypants82: Really?! 

Megster: Yep...she's finishing that last story of hers that she left undone.

assypants82: Send me the link!

Megster: lol, she's not posting it anywhere online.  She's emailing the updates out to people.  I was going to send you the file of the story up to where she stopped and the new updates she's sent out the last couple weeks.

Sassypants82: Send it!

Megster: K, give me a second.

 

Rachel waited--giggling excitedly when the notification of a new email popped up on her screen. 

 

Megster: There you go :)

Sassypants82: You're the best friend ever!!

Megster: lol...don't let JC catch you reading it.

Sassypants82: He's sick.  I'll tell him he's hallucinating.

Megster: LOL!!

Megster: Good luck with that!  And tell me what you think of the story...

 

~~~~~~~~

"A yacht?!" Aubrey exclaimed.  "Justin, are you serious?"

Justin watched Aubrey closely as she looked back and forth between him and the boat sitting at the dock in front of them.  "Are you...upset?" He asked, trying to guess the reason for her startled reaction. 

"No." She shook her head.  "Just...surprised." She told him.  "Out of all the...I didn't guess this!" She finished. 

"Good." Justin grinned.  "That's two." He told her, holding up two fingers.

"Two?" Aubrey asked with a confused chuckle.  

"I've been able to surprise you twice now." He continued. 

"You're always surprising me." Aubrey laughed.  "Do I want to know how much this cost?" She asked.

"No." He shook his head. 

"Justin..." She drawled.  He reached over and put his finger against her lips.  Aubrey looked at him--one eyebrow rising in question.

"I know I promised you a ‘normal' life and renting a private yacht for the weekend doesn't really fall into that category, but in my defense," He said, putting his other hand against his chest.  "I already had this planned and paid for when we had had that conversation a few months ago." Aubrey smiled.  "Happy Birthday." He said, replacing his finger with his lips.  She sighed as he pulled back slightly.  "Let's go." He said, grabbing her hand.  "I want to get this party started!"  

~~~~~~~~

JC looked over at Rachel where she sat on the bed next to him.  She had her laptop open, resting on her legs, and was completely focused on whatever was on the screen in front of her.  He felt bad that she had come all the way here to surprise him this weekend and they hadn't been able to do anything the last couple days.  She had told him several times that she didn't mind--that she was happy just to spend time with him--but he still felt bad.  Luckily, he was feeling almost a hundred percent better and was already planning what they could do tomorrow to try and make up the time they'd lost being stuck in this room.  He turned back to watching the television set up across from the bed, flipping idly through the channels until he found one that caught his interest.  JC rested his left arm across his stomach as he lay stretched out on the bed and bent his right arm, resting it behind his head as he began watching a rerun of The Office.

"What are you working on?" He asked Rachel casually, turning his head once more to look at her. 

"Huh?  What?" She asked, looking at him as if she had forgotten he was there. 

JC chuckled.  "What are you working on?" He asked again, making sure to enunciate each word. 

"Nothing." Rachel replied.  He narrowed his eyes slightly at the spark of--was it guilt?--he thought he had seen in her eyes. 

"You seem pretty interested in that ‘nothing.'" He remarked.  "Are you trying to hide something?" He asked with a teasing grin.

"No." Rachel insisted with a shake of her head and looking at him innocently. "See?" She turned the computer so he could see the screen.  JC went up on his left elbow to see more clearly.  "I'm doing some research for work." She explained.  "Trying to figure out who has the best prices on things, stuff like that."

"Hmmm." JC hummed as he went back to lying down.

"What?" Rachel asked, pressing him.  "What does, ‘hmmm' mean?"

"Nothing." He shook his head.  He reached out and took her hand, lacing their fingers together as he brought it to rest against his chest.  "It means nothing."

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Rachel looked over at JC, her heart fluttering nervously in her chest.  That was close. She thought.  She felt a small pang of guilt for lying to him just now, but she pushed it aside--rationalizing that it was better that he didn't know she was currently reading a fan fiction story that featured him as one of the main characters.  Since they had first begun dating Rachel had done nothing to hide the fact that she was a huge fan of his.  She had worked hard to keep that part of herself out of the equation as they had been getting to know each other, but she never denied the fact or lied about how she had once idolized him.  However, this particular aspect of being an N SYNC fan had never come up in any of their conversations and secretly she was glad.  It was one thing to tell a musician and celebrity that you owned and had seen everything they had ever done or been in...it was another thing to tell that said musician and celebrity that you read made-up stories on the internet that people had written about him.  She wasn't quite sure how to explain it to him, and didn't know how he would react if she did. 

When he seemed distracted enough by the show he was watching, Rachel turned back to her computer.  Minimizing the fabric distributor website that she had been looking at earlier, she went back to reading the story that Megan had emailed her.  Her intentions of keeping an eye and ear turned to JC--so she wouldn't be caught off guard by him asking her a question again--going right out the window as she once more got sucked back into the drama unfolding in the story.

~~~~~~~~ 

When the episode of The Office he had been watching ended, JC began flipping through the channels again--feeling restless.  He wanted to get out of this hotel room.  He knew Rachel had a love for the ocean and was probably dying to see the Atlantic.  Maybe they could go for a walk.  He was just about to ask her if she wanted to go out for a little bit when she withdrew her hand from his and punched him in the arm.

"Ow!  What the hell?!" JC exclaimed, rubbing at his shoulder as he looked at her in question.  "What was that for?"

"You broke up with her?" Rachel replied hotly.  "I can't believe you broke up with her!"

"What?!" JC asked, completely confused.  "Broke up with who?"

"Miranda!" Rachel answered.  "You know, you can be a little thick sometimes but I didn't think you were that stupid." She continued, though he had no idea what she was talking about.  "How could you break up with her?"

"Rachel, what the hell are you talking about?" He asked, sitting up and turning off the TV.  "I don't know anyone named Miranda--let alone dated anyone with that name--so how in the world could I break up with her?  Are you crazy?" He asked, genuinely starting to wonder and worry about the fact that maybe she was. Maybe all the stress the last couple weeks over the wedding and starting up her business had finally gotten to her and she'd snapped.

"You're the crazy one." She told him.  "You two are perfect for each other!"  She shook her head as she looked back at her laptop.  "I can't believe you broke up with her." She muttered under her breath. 

JC reached over and took the computer off of her lap, ignoring her outcry and shouldering her away when she tried to get it back from him.  When he saw the document she had been looking at on the screen he scrolled through a few pages.  Recognizing it for what it was he turned to look at Rachel--one eye brow raised in question.  "Fan fiction?" He asked.  "Really?"  He watched as her cheeks warmed.  He rolled his eyes as he handed the computer back to her.  "What?  I don't do it enough for you in real life?  You have to go find it somewhere else?  You know..." he paused.  "It's a good thing I love you so much." He told her.  She dropped her gaze from his, her cheeks blazing in embarrassment.  He shook his head as he moved to get out of bed. 

"Wait," she said reaching out and placing a hand on his arm.  He looked down at her.  "Is that..." she looked at the computer screen then back at him.  "Are you mad?" She asked.

"No." He shook his head.  "I'm not mad. I am a little..." he thought for a moment, searching for the right word.  "Okay, a lot little weirded out that my fiancée is reading sexed up, fictionalized stories written about me by crazy fans on the internet, but not really mad." He told her standing next to the bed and looking down at her.

He watched as she opened and closed her mouth a few times before finally finding her voice.  "I thought you'd be really upset if you found out." She confessed.

He sighed.  "I know stuff has been written about me--about all the guys--since we started, I'm not stupid.  I know it's out there.  I just..." He paused.  "I just didn't think you were reading it."  

Rachel grimaced then hung her head for a moment.  "Okay," she said, nodding in acceptance of his criticism.  "But, in my defense." She said, setting the laptop aside as she moved over to where he was standing and kneeled in front of him.  "I used to read fan fiction all the time, but I hadn't read anything since before we started dating."

"Why?" He asked.

"Why did I read it, or why did I stop?" She questioned.

He was quiet for a moment as he looked at her.  "Both." He stated, interested to see what her answers would be.

She blew out a breath.  "I read it because it was the only way I had of feeling close to you."  She began.  She laughed in self-recrimination as she shook her head.  "I know, I know, it sounds crazy," she conceded.  "But," she shrugged, "When I was younger all I wanted was to get to know you and I felt like I was able to with those stories.  I stopped, because I quickly realized that reality is a million times better than fiction." She stopped, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth as she looked up at him-her brown eyes imploring him to accept this part of who she was.

JC reached his hands up, tucking her hair behind her ears.  "So, why are you reading it again?" He asked, his fingertips brushing along the curve of her cheeks.

Rachel sighed.  "It's not because you don't do it for me." She told him.

"Well that's good." He remarked, teasing her.  She scowled at him

"Megan sent me the document yesterday.  It's a story that my favorite writer began a few years ago but never finished.  She decided to finish it and I have to see how it ends."  She looked at him, once more begging him to understand.

JC couldn't help but laugh at the pitiful look on her face.  "You are something else, Sass." He told her.  

"I promise." She told him, scooting closer to him.  "Once I see how this story ends, I'll never read anything again.  Cross my heart." She said, drawing an "X" with her index finger over her heart.  Again he chuckled.

"You've never hidden the fact that you were a fan." He mused as he placed his hands on her face.  "I guess I should have known this was part of that."   

"I'm sorry I hit you." She offered.   "I guess I was getting a little too involved in the story."

"Did I deserve it?" He asked his lips twitching upwards as he fought to keep a straight face.

"Hell yeah!" She replied as she put her arms arm around his waist and leaned into him.  "You're being kind of an idiot right now." She told him, turning her face up towards his.  He watched as her lips parted slightly and bent his head--capturing them between his own. 

"Well, I don't know about you, but this idiot is tired of being cooped up in this hotel room." He remarked as he pulled back slightly.  "Think you can tear yourself away from your computer long enough to go for a walk with me?" He asked.  "I know a couple of great spots on the beach that you'll love."

Rachel smiled.  "You know me too well." She replied. 

"And I did it all without reading a single work of fiction about you." He stated smugly, kissing the end of her nose.  Rachel laughed as she hugged him tightly and kissed him. 

"Oh, I love you." She told him.

"Even though I'm being an idiot right now and I just broke up with..." He paused, thinking.  "Who did I just break up with?" He asked.

"Miranda." She supplied with a smile.

"Even though I just broke up with Miranda?" He asked, finishing his earlier question.

"Yes." She nodded, once more placing her lips against his.  "Even though you just broke up with Miranda." 

~~~~~~~~~

Justin felt his jaw drop as Aubrey stepped out onto the upper deck of the yacht the next afternoon.  He watched as she lifted her hand, shielding her eyes from the sun and looked around--smiling timidly when she saw him.  He straightened from lounging in his chair and watched as she walked towards him.  His eyes ran over her incredible body--the body he had spent the last eight months memorizing every delicious inch of.  He felt tempted for a moment to feel embarrassed at the obvious and almost painful way his body had reacted to seeing her in the black bikini top and light blue scrap of material she had wrapped around her waist--until he reminded himself that it was his ring currently glittering on her finger in the tropical sun which meant he had every right to be mesmerized and aroused by her.

Aubrey came to stop next to his chair.  He had somehow managed to close his mouth so he didn't look like a complete idiot, but he still couldn't find his voice.  Who was this goddess standing in front of him?  While she had worn a few pieces in the past, Aubrey wasn't really one to wear lingerie.  He knew she was self-conscious about the scar she carried on her lower abdomen and she wasn't the type to flaunt her body, so how in the world she was currently standing in front of him wearing what she was he had no idea. 

"It was Rachel's idea." Aubrey supplied with a nervous chuckle as if she had heard his thoughts and read his mind.  She waved her hand over her body indicating the lack of clothing she was currently wearing.

God bless you, Rachel!  Justin thought as he reached his arm out.  Putting his hand against the small of her back he drew Aubrey towards him then placed a kiss to the expanse of skin now exposed between her breasts and her belly button.  He heard her breath hitch slightly as he reached out--running his finger along where the blue wrap around skirt lay against her skin--and smiled.

"Do I get to...see the rest of it?" He asked, finally breaking his silence as he looked up at her.

~~~~~~~~~

Aubrey's heart felt like it was going to beat right out of her chest and she kicked herself for being so ridiculous.  This wasn't the first time Justin had seen her wearing next to nothing.  Hell, they had been naked in bed together just a few hours ago! Why was this affecting her so much?  Her hands trembled slightly as she reached for the tie of the skirt on her hip--his blue eyes watching her expectantly.  Rachel had been right.  Justin's reaction to seeing her in the bikini had been priceless.  He had been completely speechless--staring at her like he'd never seen her before.  Her stomach quivered as she removed the fabric covering the bottom part of the suit she was wearing, watching as his eyes darkened in that familiar way she'd come to recognize. 

He wanted her. 

But mixed with the lust and desire were equal parts love and adoration--a combination that continued to take her breath away every time she saw it.  She laughed as Justin put both hands on her waist and pulled her down onto his lap.  Aubrey put one arm around his neck, the other reaching up to run through his hair.   

"Why do I suddenly feel like it's my birthday?" He asked, his incredible eyes holding her captive. 

Aubrey smiled.  "I take it you approve?" She asked, running her index finger along his bottom lip.

"Approve?" Justin questioned, looking at her in surprise.  "Sweetheart..."  He exhaled as he shook his head slightly, his eyes once more traveling over her body.  "I know I've said this to you before, but this time I really mean it.  I've never been more turned on." He confessed, making Aubrey's entire body tingle.  "Just when I think I have you figured out, Aubrey Janae, you go and do something like this and completely blow me away."

Aubrey's smile grew as she leaned forward, pressing her lips against his.  "I love you, Justin Timberlake." She told him, opening her eyes to look at him.  He lifted one hand, cupping her cheek as his thumb caressed her skin, and smiled as he drew her back in for another kiss. 

"I love you more." He replied, kissing her deeply--his lips moving against hers seductively.  "I love you more." 

~~~~~~~~

Aubrey let out a contented sigh.

Her head rested between Justin's neck and shoulder as she sat, leaning back against his chest.  He had one knee bent, his elbow propped against it while his hand rested against the top of her head.  His other arm was stretched out over hers, his fingers playing with hers as they sat, looking up at the night sky. 

"These stars are amazing!" She breathed, taking in the night sky above them.

"Reminds me of being home." Justin replied.  "You forget how incredible the night sky is when you're in the city for too long."  They lapsed back into silence for a moment.  "Did you have a good birthday?" He asked.

Aubrey smiled.  "Yes." She nodded against him.  "Thank you." She told him.  "This has been..." she paused, searching for the right word.  "This has been an unbelievable weekend, Justin."

"Good." He replied, pressing his lips against her temple.  Aubrey closed her eyes, trying to soak in and remember every detail of this moment--the way the breeze carried the scent of the ocean, the way the boat felt as it rocked gently on the water, the warmth radiating from Justin's body as they sat entwined. 

"To quote someone I know," she remarked with a giggle.  "I don't know how you're going to top this."

Justin laughed as he bent his head, nuzzling her ear.  "I'll think of something." He replied softly but confidently, his warm breath raising goose bumps on her neck.  Aubrey shivered.  "Are you cold?" He asked, lowering the hand that had been resting on her head.  Putting it around the front of her shoulders, Justin took the hand of hers that he'd been paying with and wrapped it around her waist--hugging her close. 

"Not now." She responded.  Silence again fell between them--both of them content in enjoying the moment and the company they were with--until Aubrey remembered something she had wanted to talk to Justin about all weekend but hadn't found the right time to.  "Do you remember the picnic we had on the beach before you left?" She asked him.

"Mmm-hmm." He hummed and she felt him nod his head. 

"We talked about having a family but you gave me two conditions." She continued.  "Do you remember?"

"Yes." He replied. 

"Why..." she paused.  "Why did you stipulate that you wanted to see if we could have a baby first before adopting?" She asked then waited for his reply. 

Justin was quiet for a moment.  "Because I want our children to look like you." He told her softly.  Aubrey blinked.  She didn't know what she had expected his response to be, but for some reason that answer had caught her off guard.  Justin sighed.  "Last summer," he continued.  "When everything was going on with Nikki and that damn paternity suit..." he paused, resting his chin against her shoulder.  "The part I struggled with the most was knowing that if it was true, my baby wasn't going to look like you--the woman I love."

"Justin..."

"I know," he interrupted her, continuing on before she could say anything else.  "I know it's not possible and I don't want you to think that I won't love a baby if we adopt it, but I--"

"There may be a way." She said, this time interrupting him.

Justin was quiet for a heartbeat.  "A way for what?" He asked hesitantly.

"For us to have a baby." Aubrey replied.  Justin put his hands on her shoulders and sat her up.  Aubrey turned to look at him, pushing the hair away from her face.  She met Justin's questioning blue eyes.  "I can't carry a baby." She told him.  "But that doesn't mean I might not be able to have one." She said.

"A surrogate?" Justin asked, catching on quickly to what she was saying.

Aubrey nodded, watching as a spark of hope lit his blue eyes.  "I know it's not the most conventional way of having a baby but it may be an option.  I hadn't thought of it until a few days ago." She told him.  "It may be the answer we're looking for." 

"We?" He questioned. 

She smiled.  "Ever since we had that conversation," she told him.  "I haven't been able to get a particular image out of my head." 

"What image is that?" He asked, watching her closely. 

"A baby." She told him.  "With curly hair like his daddy." She continued as she reached out, running her fingers through his short curls.  "And bright blue eyes."

"And freckles?" He asked his eyes softening as he looked at her.  He reached a hand out, brushing his thumb across her cheek.    

Aubrey smiled.  "And freckles." She added.  "But not too many.  Freckles aren't really manly." 

Justin chuckled.  "Who said it's going to be a boy?" He asked and Aubrey laughed.  "So how do we do this?" He asked.

"I don't know." She replied with a shrug.  "I guess when I get back to L.A. I can start looking into it and see what the first step is."

Justin reached out, putting his arms around her and gathered her close--tucking her under his chin and against his chest.  Aubrey put her own arms around his waist, listening to the steady beat of his heart as she snuggled close to him.  He startled her a moment later by letting out a laugh.  She pulled back and looked at him in question.

"For the first time in my life," he told her with a smile.  "I'm actually...excited about the thought of being a dad." He finished, looking at her as if he couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth.

Aubrey smiled as she put a hand to his face and leaned forward--pressing her lips against his.  She kissed him warmly for a few moments then pulled back, her mind and heart suddenly set on a decision she had been trying to make for what seemed like forever. 

"Do you remember the other condition you gave me that night?" She asked him.  Justin looked at her, the thinly veiled hope in his eyes giving her his answer.  He remembered.  "I want to get married." She told him.

~~~~~~~~~

Justin stared at Aubrey for a moment, trying not to let his hopes get the best of him.  "You want to get married, meaning next month when I get home?" He asked, trying to figure out what her timeline was.  "Or tomorrow when we get back to Orlando?"

"Tonight." She replied.  "I want to get married tonight."

"Tonight?!" He asked, his eyes widening in shock.  He looked around them.  "Aubrey...I-I...you..." he paused, struggling to form a complete sentence.  "We're in the middle of the ocean." He reminded her.  "It's only us, the captain, the first mate and the cook on this boat.  I don't have a ring for you.  None of our friends are here and your mother is going to kill me if we get married tonight.  I don't think--"

He stopped as she put her hands on his face.  "Justin." She said, her beautiful eyes holding him captive.  "I want to marry you.  I'm done waiting.  I want to be your wife." She paused and he felt his objections completely dissolve at that word falling from her lips.  Wife.  "You asked me a couple days ago what I was going to wish for, for my birthday this year." She reminded him.  "This is it."

He opened and closed his mouth a few times before finally finding his voice.  "Aubrey... there is nothing I want to do more, than to make your wish become reality tonight but we're out in the middle of the ocean!" He reminded her once again.  "There isn't anyone here that can marry us."

"What about the captain?" She asked.  "Aren't captains supposed to be able to marry people?"

He chuckled.  "I think that's only in the movies and on TV." He replied, putting a hand to her face.  "We can wait till we get back to shore tomorrow then we can go down to the courthouse if you want and--"

"I don't want to wait until tomorrow." She replied with a shake of her head.  "Tomorrow I have to share you with the world again but tonight..." she leaned forward, looking at him through her lashes as she pressed her lips against the corner of his jaw.  "Tonight you're still mine." She whispered.  Justin groaned as he closed his eyes and leaned his head back, giving in to her.  He reached out, his hands gripping her hips as she moved to straddle him--her lips continuing to slowly nibble their way down his neck.  Her hands moved in between them, unbuttoning his shirt and then caressed his chest.  Her warm, sweet mouth moved across his throat and began trailing up the other side of his neck.  She was pulling out all the stops tonight in her effort to get her way.  Justin groaned again as she took his left earlobe into her mouth, her teeth grazing the sensitive skin.  His hands tightened on her hips as he pulled her flush against him. 

If it was within his power he would give her whatever the hell she wanted, but he couldn't-no matter how damn seductive and tempting she was!  The fact of the matter was there wasn't a minister on board the yacht.  No matter how much she wanted to get married, they would have to wait.  Damn it, I'm always waiting for her!  He thought as her lips finally found his once more. 

Justin soon took possession of the kiss, completely dominating her as he moved her back, laying her down on the bench they were sitting on.  Her arms wound around his neck, her fingers threading through his hair as he moved atop her. 

"A-hem."

They broke apart, startled at the interruption and looked over at the first mate who was standing awkwardly a few feet away--embarrassed at having interrupted the intimate scene. 

"Sorry to interrupt." He stated.  "But is there anything else you will be needing tonight, sir?"

Justin looked down at Aubrey.  Her eyes met his and he stared into their hazel depths for a moment, trying to read her thoughts; see into her soul.  He smiled then looked back at the first mate.  "Yes." He said.  "Will you tell the captain I need to speak with him?"  He asked as he sat up, bringing Aubrey with him.  "I need to ask him a question."   

End Notes:
so??  what'dya think?  :)
Chapter 18 by azchickadee

"Megan?"

Megan turned from looking at her reflection in the bathroom mirror Tuesday evening as Jackson came into the room.

"Are you..." He trailed off as when he saw her.  "Ready?" He finished, his eyes running over her.  Megan fought to keep a straight face at the look in his blue eyes.  She had spent a lot of time planning her outfit for this evening and it was having the desired effect.  The black, spaghetti strap dress fell to just below her knees and Megan watched as Jackson's eyes ran over her again.  She was wearing a pair of strappy, black heels and had pulled her hair up.  She knew she looked good-his blatant staring was proof of that.

Over the past four weeks, they had been making strides towards repairing their relationship--thanks in part to the therapist they were seeing on a weekly basis.  Megan was finally getting the help she needed to confront the emotional wounds she'd been carrying around most of her life, since her father had left, and she was slowly beginning to feel like she could trust again.  Tonight she had decided to take a leap of faith, hoping Jackson would be there to catch her when she fell.

"You look..." Jackson paused, interrupting her thoughts.  He blinked a few times.  "You look great!" He told her, smiling. 

Megan looked down at herself, then back up at him.  "Thank you." She replied.  "Are you ready to go?"  She asked.  He nodded.  "Okay, I just want to put on this necklace," she said, turning and picking up a silver chain that had been lying on the counter.  "Can you help me?" She asked, watching him in the mirror as she unclasped the necklace--holding both ends around her neck.

"Yeah." He walked towards her and took the ends of the necklace from her.  Clasping the ends together Jackson adjusted the necklace against her chest, the tiny silver snowflake resting against her skin just above the neckline of her dress.  Megan watched Jackson's reflection closely, wondering if he would remember the necklace; understand the significance behind her wearing it.  It had been a while since she'd last worn it and as his dark blue eyes met hers in the mirror, her stomach quivered.

He remembered.

Placing his hands on her shoulders, Jackson turned her around to face him.  His eyes dropped to the snowflake charm and Megan's heart fluttered in her chest as he reached out-his fingers brushing against her skin as he picked it up.  "Aspen." He whispered, his eyes lifting to once more connect with hers.  She nodded, unable to speak.

They had only known each other and been dating a month when Jackson had asked her to go to Aspen with him several years ago.  His family owned a cabin there and he had been determined to teach her how to ski.  Megan had agreed and, though her first adventure down a ski slope was one she tried to forget about, the rest of the weekend had been a turning point in their relationship even though it hadn't gone at all like they had expected.  When they'd returned from their day of skiing they had been met by the unexpected arrival of Jackson's parents and two of his siblings--Megan's first introduction to his family.  The trip had been marked by another first as well.

As Megan quietly opened the door of the bedroom she had shared with Jackson's sister, Lindsay, last night, she tip-toed out of the room and softly closed the door behind her.  Making her way downstairs in the quiet early morning, she walked into the kitchen and put some water on to boil.  Pulling a mug from one cupboard and a container of hot chocolate mix from another Megan waited for the water to heat.  She stood in front of the sink watching out the window as the sun began peaking over the mountains to the east.  She felt more than heard Jackson come into the room, so she didn't jump as a pair of strong arms wrapped around her waist, a stubbled chin tickling her neck as he placed a kiss there.  She leaned back against his chest, resting the back of her head against his shoulder.

"What are you doing up so early?" He asked his voice low and gravely from having recently woken up.

"I could ask you the same thing." She responded quietly.

"I couldn't sleep." He answered. 

"Bad dreams?" She asked.  She closed her eyes and tipped her head to the side as his lips began roaming along the skin of her neck and shoulder.

"More like unfulfilled dreams." He said tightening his arms around her waist.  Megan smiled as a shiver ran up her spine.  "I wasn't exactly planning on sharing a room with my brother last night." He said.  "The disappointment was a little hard to swallow."

"Who were you expecting to share a room with?" She asked a teasing tone to her voice.

"I'll give you two guesses." He said, turning her in his arms.  "And the first one doesn't count."

Megan smiled up at him.  Reaching a hand up, she brushing the dark hair off his forehead--once again deciding she really liked the sight of Jackson Taylor first thing in the morning.  Heaven knew he was a sight to behold in his suit and tie, and she loved seeing him in just his jeans and a T-shirt, but right now--with his hair mussed from sleeping, the dark stubble covering his jaw, and wearing a simple undershirt and a pair of flannel pants--he took her breath away.  A tingling sensation began in the pit of her stomach, slowly spreading out to other parts of her body.  The hand that had been in his hair lowered to cup his cheek, urging him forward. 

As his lips connected with hers, she sighed, wrapping her arms around his neck.  One hand slid into his hair while the other stayed at the back of his shoulders.  Jackson's arms left her waist; his hands coming up to gently cup her face as his mouth moved seductively against her own.  Jackson used his hands to tilt her head the opposite direction of his as he deepened the kiss between them, pressing her back against the counter as her entire body seemed to catch fire.  She momentarily forgot his parents and siblings were sleeping upstairs as she ran her hands down his chest eliciting a groan from him.  She smiled to herself, reveling in the power she had over him.  Just as she was about to throw all caution to the wind and beg him to end this slow dance they'd been torturing themselves with for the past month, the water she had put on to boil began popping and hissing as it began jumping out of the pot.

Megan tore her lips away from Jackson's, her breath coming in shallow gasps.  She freed herself from his arms and turned the stove off, moving the pot of boiling water away from the hot burner.  She stood facing the counter, her hands on the granite as she tried to steady her breathing.  She could hear Jackson doing the same behind her and as much as she longed to turn around and pick up where they had left off, the fact of the matter was, they weren't alone in the house.  At any moment his parents or Mark or Lindsay could wake up and walk in on them.  "Sorry about that." She said not exactly sure what she was apologizing for as she reached into the cupboard and withdrew another mug.  "You want some cocoa?" She asked. 

He didn't answer.  Instead, Megan's breath caught as he reached around her and placed a silver chain around her neck.  She looked down; picking up the small silver snowflake charm that hung from the necklace as he worked to fasten the piece of jewelry then placed a kiss to the back of her neck.  Megan turned to look at him, her head cocked to the side, her eyes curious.  "What...?"

"I wanted to get you something to help remember this trip." He said, his eyes fixated on the snowflake as he took it from her and held it between his fingers. 

"Jackson..." Megan stopped, words escaping her at the moment.  Her heart skipped a beat as he placed his fingers against her lips, his eyes following the movement as he traced the outline of her mouth.  When at last his eyes lifted to connect with hers, her stomach flipped at the emotion she saw in his sapphire eyes, and--even though she knew what he was going to say before the words left his mouth--the reality of hearing them still sent a jolt through her system.

"I love you, Megan." He said with all the conviction he had, bringing his hand up to cup her cheek.  He caught the lone tear that escaped and rolled down her cheek with his thumb.  "I love you." He repeated, softer this time.    

Megan threw her arms around him, hugging him tightly.  She buried her face in his neck, inhaling the scent that had come to mean everything to her in the last few weeks: him.  "I love you, too." She whispered, drawing back to look at him.  She marveled at the feeling of freedom those words gave her.  Suddenly the world seemed a brighter place.  Knowing Jackson Taylor loved her made her feel like she could take on anyone who stood in her way and win.  She giggled as he wrapped his arms around her waist, picking her up so her feet barely touched the floor.  Kissing her several more times, Jackson slowly lowered her back down, his arms still around her as he just held her.  Megan sighed.  She loved being held by Jackson, feeling his arms around her she laid her head on his chest.  She listened to the steady beat of his heart, and marveled at the fact that she now knew it beat solely for her. 

"That was the first time you told me you loved me." Jackson stated, watching Megan closely.  His heart was beating wildly in his chest, wondering if this meant what he thought it meant--what he hoped it meant. 

The last couple weeks had been rough.  He had sat quietly; listening as Megan confessed to him and to their therapist everything she felt and had been holding on to in regards to her father leaving as a child, and her insecurities in their marriage--finally understanding what his actions a few months ago had done to her; the pain his stupidity had caused.  While he had kept things quiet about Kate and tried to hide them from her thinking he was protecting her, all he had done was shatter what had been left of Megan's broken heart.  Though he hadn't known it was broken at the time, it still didn't excuse what he had done. The hardest part though, wasn't sitting in that room--watching and listening to her crying--it was being so close to her, yet still feeling so far away.

Though he had continued to sleep in the same bed as Megan since the night she had asked him to stay, there could have been a ten foot wall down the middle of the bed for all the good it was doing.  Jackson had watched the sparkle begin to appear once more in her beautiful eyes over the last month, and he had heard her laughing more this week than he could remember hearing in a long time, but she was still guarded when it came to physical affection between them.  He tried to touch her in some small way whenever he could--grabbing her hand as they were walking, brushing her arm as they passed each other in the hall, wiping away the smudge of flour she always seemed to get on her cheek whenever she was baking-but it wasn't enough.  He was dying.  It was torture sleeping next to her every night, wanting to touch and hold her close but being so unsure of her reaction that he couldn't bring himself to do anything.  If she rejected his advances he knew it would kill him. 

"It was the first time you told me, too." Megan said quietly, startling him from his thoughts and bringing him back to the present. 

Jackson placed the silver charm back where it had been resting, his fingertips brushing against her soft, smooth skin causing an obvious physical reaction.  He loved her.  He wanted her--more than anything he could think of at the moment.  It had been too long since he had been able to kiss her the way he wanted to--with no fear or restraint getting in the way.  It had been too long since he had felt her incredible body next to his; heard her cry out his name.       

"Megan..." He breathed, taking a small step towards her to close the space between them.  He heard her breath hitch slightly as he brought his hand up--the back of his fingers brushing against her cheek.  He ran his fingers along her jaw until, reaching her chin, he tilted her face up towards his.  "Is it still true?" He asked, his eyes boring into hers.  She had said it to him only once since the night she had walked out on him-but had been half asleep when she uttered the words.  "Do you still love me?"  He watched as she swallowed then nodded slightly.  "Say the words." He begged as he lowered his head, his lips barely touching one corner of her mouth.  Her eyes fluttered closed, her breath coming in shallow gasps as he brushed his lips along the opposite side of her mouth.  "Say the words, Megan." He coaxed, taking another step.  The space between them disappeared as he wound his other arm around her waist, bringing her flush against him.  "I need to hear you say them out loud."

"I love you." She finally breathed.  She opened her eyes.  Their breath mingled as they stood there in the bathroom, looking at each other.  "I love you, Jackson.  I love yo--"

His lips cut her off as he captured her mouth in a warm, passionate kiss--the kind of kiss he had been wanting and waiting to give her since seeing her alive and awake in that damned hospital bed six weeks ago.  Megan let out a quiet moan as his mouth continued to move insistently against hers and he thrilled when she put her arms around his neck becoming a full participant in the exchange--taking as much as she was giving.  He turned them slightly, pressing her back against the wall as he tried to gain stability and leverage.  Her fingers dove into his hair and when she tore her lips from his, desperately seeking oxygen, his mouth continued to devour her sweet flesh-burning a trail along her jaw and down her neck. 

"Jackson..." She groaned, her head falling back as she granted him further access to her throat. 

"I love you." He vowed as he continued to worship her neck with his mouth.  "You have no idea how much I love you." He murmured.  She let out a moan of pleasure as he hit her sweet spot and he felt her knees buckle--the fact that he was pinning her to the wall the only reason she was still standing.  "I wish we didn't have to go to this stupid awards banquet." He confessed, referencing the reason she had gotten dressed up in the first place.  "I'd much rather stay home and snack on you." He told her, nipping her playfully.  Megan giggled--the sound going straight to his heart.  He pulled back to look at her, completely taken away at her beauty.  Her eyes sparkled as she opened them and looked at him, her cheeks were flushed with desire and her lips were deliciously red from his kiss. 

"Do we have to go?" She asked. 

Jackson thought about it for a moment.  Was it absolutely necessary that he be at that dinner?  No.  Would his boss be upset if he didn't show up?  Probably, but it wasn't anything Jackson couldn't smooth over in the morning.  What's more important right now? He heart questioned.  Your job or the woman standing in front of you?  The woman. He answered, once more capturing Megan's tempting mouth with his.  Definitely the woman.    

"Scott's already asleep." He told her.  "Give me five minutes to tell your mom that plans have changed and we don't need her to stay." He said, taking a step back.  Megan nodded but Jackson couldn't resist giving her one more kiss before finally releasing her.  "Five minutes." He repeated.

"Five minutes." Megan echoed, her lips lifting in a smile.  "But no more." She told him.  "I don't think I can wait even that long."

"You're killing me, Megan." Jackson groaned, leaning in for another kiss.

She giggled against his lips, her hands coming to rest on his chest.  "You better hurry." She told him.  "You're wasting your five minutes."

"I'm going." He stated, quickly turning to leave the bathroom.  Doing a quick one-eighty he lifted a finger, pointing at her.  "Don't change."

"Okay." Megan replied. 

"I'll be right back." He promised then left the room, feeling like he was flying.  She was back!  His sweet, beautiful, sexy Megan was back! 

~~~~~~~~~

"How was your weekend?" Aubrey asked Rachel Wednesday morning as the girls left the check-in counter at the Orlando airport and headed towards their gate.  "Did you end up stuck in the hotel room all weekend?"

"No." Rachel shook her head.  "We went out yesterday and the night before.  Jace took me on a tour of the city--showing me all the places he used to hang out--and we drove by the house he used to have down here.  What about you guys?"  She asked.  "What was Justin's big birthday surprise?" She grinned excitedly.

Aubrey smiled. "He rented a private yacht." She told Rachel who made a noise of interest as she looked at Aubrey with a smile.  "And we spent the last four days cruising around the Caribbean."

"Well...Mr. Timberlake doesn't play around, does he?" Rachel chuckled.

Aubrey giggled as she shook her head.  "No, he doesn't" She sighed. 

Rachel looked over at Aubrey as they continued walking.  "You seem awfully happy." She remarked.  "Even for a person who just spent the last four days cruising around with Mr. SexyBack."  Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, her cheeks warming as if she had been caught at something.  "What's going on?" Rachel asked, sensing there was more to the weekend than what her friend was telling her.

"It was just a...a really good weekend." Aubrey smiled. 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

She could feel Rachel's eyes on her and knew the other girl could sense the secret she was keeping, but Aubrey wasn't going to be dishing anything today.  The feelings and memories were still too new to share with anyone.  Besides, she'd made a promise not to say anything--as had Justin.  Her phone vibrated in her pocket and she pulled it out, smiling when she saw the object of her thought's name on the screen.  "Hello." She said, answering the call. 

"Well, hello, Mrs. Timberlake." He replied, making her giggle.  She closed her eyes briefly and sighed happily--loving the sound of her new name, especially when he said it.  As it turned out, the captain had been able to marry them last night.  They had talked to him and he had told them that due to the number of requests he had gotten over the years to marry people on his yacht, he had become a notary in the state of Florida--thus giving him the power to marry them--and the rest was now history.

"We said good-bye ten minutes ago Justin." She reminded him.  "Miss me already?" She teased.

"You're kidding me, right?" He asked.  "I missed you the second you left.  That honeymoon we had last night was way too short." He continued, his voice lowering seductively.

Aubrey's stomach quivered.  "Ten days." She reminded him.  "You'll be home in ten days.  We'll get Rachel and JC married," Aubrey looked over at Rachel who smiled at her.  "Then we can do a little celebrating of our own." She promised.

"You drive a hard bargain." He replied. 

"Will you call me tonight after the show?" Aubrey asked as she and Rachel got into line at the security checkpoint. 

"Yes, dear." He replied, making her laugh.

"I love you." Aubrey told him. 

"Whew!" Justin breathed a dramatic sigh of relief.  "I'm glad you said something." He told her.  "I was a little worried.  I was actually beginning to wonder..."

"You are such an idiot." She replied with a laugh, shaking her head.  Justin's laughter came through the phone, making her heart skip at the happy sound.

"Get used to it, babe." he responded.  "Now that we're married I don't have to worry about constantly trying to impress you anymore.  I can let my guard down and just be myself."

"Don't let it down too much." Aubrey replied teasingly.  "Or I may end up regretting my decision last night."

"We wouldn't want that happening." Justin stated.

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "No, we wouldn't." 

He was quiet for a moment and she felt the tone of the conversation change slightly.  "I love you, Aubrey." He stated simply, warming her heart.  "Thank you."

"For what?" She questioned.

"For loving me."  He replied.  She blinked at the sudden tears that appeared in her eyes at his sincerity.  "For allowing me to love you."

"Justin..." Aubrey's voice cracked and she cleared her throat.  Rachel looked at her inquisitively but Aubrey waved her hand, indicating everything was okay.  The line moved, forcing them closer to the checkpoint.  "Justin, I...I have to go.  We're...we're about to go through security."

"I'll call you tonight." He told her.

"I'll be waiting." Aubrey replied. They said good-bye and Aubrey ended the call.

"What exactly will you two be ‘celebrating' in ten days?" Rachel asked, leaning towards her and whispering conspiratorially.

"None of your business." Aubrey replied, with a tilt of her chin.  Rachel's jaw dropped as she looked at Aubrey and Aubrey fought to keep a straight face. 

"I'm going to find out." Rachel threatened pointing a finger at her as Aubrey went through security. 

"I'm sure you will." Aubrey replied with a smile and a roll of her eyes.  "Just promise me that when you do, you won't rat us out to the media." She said to the other girl as they grabbed their bags and continued walking.

"You know I wouldn't do that." Rachel answered.    

"I know." Aubrey smiled.  "But I just want to make sure all of the bases are covered."

"Does it have anything to do with what we were talking about on Friday?" Rachel questioned.

"About the surrogacy thing?" Aubrey asked and Rachel nodded.  "No." Aubrey shook her head.  "Although we did talk about that."

"And?" Rachel prodded.

"And..." Aubrey drawled.  "We're going to look into it."

"That's so exciting!" Rachel exclaimed, surprising Aubrey as she gave her a hug right in the middle of the walkway.  Aubrey laughed.  "So if it's not the whole baby thing," Rachel wondered out loud as they continued walking.  "What else could you two be celebrating?" She mused.

Aubrey chuckled.  "My lips are sealed.  You're not going to get any more information out of me on this.  You're going to have to figure it out for yourself."

"I think you're forgetting I was a spy in another life." Rachel replied.  "I have ways of getting the information I want."

"We'll see."  Aubrey laughed.  "We'll see."

~~~~~~~~~~

Megan put her arms above her head Wednesday morning, stretching.  She sighed, a smile coming to her face.  She felt completely content and thoroughly satisfied--two feelings she hadn't experienced in longer than she cared to think about.  Jackson rolled over next to her, throwing his arm across her stomach. 

"You're an animal." He growled quietly, nuzzling her ear.  "And I like it."  Megan giggled.  "I had no idea you could move like that." He continued, his lips brushing against her skin.

"Mmmm."  She hummed, her eyes remaining closed as she turned slightly towards him.  "Baby, I've got moves," she wiggled her shoulders slowly.  "You haven't seen yet."  Jackson nipped at her shoulder and she laughed, finally opening her eyes as he moved atop her--his hands coming to rest on the mattress on either side of her head.  His lips captured her own before she could do or say anything and Megan moaned into his mouth--her arms winding around his neck as she became lost in his kiss.

"Ma!"

Megan gasped in surprise as their son suddenly called out for her.

"Ma, ma, ma, ma, ma."

Jackson groaned, releasing her mouth and pressing his forehead to her shoulder as Scott continued babbling from down the hall.  "Remind me why we decided to have him?" He asked her.

Megan chuckled, running her fingers through his hair and kissed his cheek.  "Give me five minutes." She said, pushing at his shoulder.  Jackson rolled off of her and Megan sat up, pushing the hair from her eyes.  "Five minutes." She promised then got up and walked towards the door.

~~~~~~~~

Jackson rolled to his side, propping himself up on his elbow, and watched as Megan walked away.  His eyes lingered where the hem of the white dress shirt he had been wearing the night before barely covered her backside.  She stopped, turning and leaning against the doorframe-smiling knowingly as she caught him ogling her. 

"See something you like?" She asked coyly.

"You're wasting your five minutes." He replied.

Megan smirked, stuck out her tongue and left the room.  Jackson chuckled as he lay back on the bed-his arms coming to rest behind his head.  He couldn't help the smile that spread across his face and he closed his eyes, reliving every moment from the night before.  The feel of her skin against his, her intoxicating scent, the sounds of her pleasure, the taste of her kiss-it was all like some sort of fantastic dream, only it was real.  He had loved her like he never had before, the renewal of their relationship strengthening the bond they shared. 

Ask her.

Jackson's eyes opened at the thought, his heart beginning to race.  Turning to look at the nightstand on his side of the bed, he rolled over on his side--reaching out towards the drawer.  He was stopped, however, as the mattress shifted behind him and Megan's arms suddenly stole around his chest, her hands smoothing along his skin as she placed a kiss to his shoulder.

"Miss me?" She asked as he lay back, looking up at her. 

"Terribly." He replied, lifting a hand to cup her cheek.  She smiled at him.  "Where's Scott?" He asked, excepting her to have brought the toddler back with her.

"I gave him a sippie cup and some Cheerios and put in Wall-e for him." She answered.  "Does that make me a bad mother?" She asked. 

He laughed as he pulled her down for a kiss.  "No." He assured her.  "That doesn't make you a bad mother because that's exactly what I would have done."

"Good." Megan smiled as she kissed him again.  Jackson rolled her over, pressing her back against the pillows. 

"Megan?" He asked as he scattered kisses along her jaw. 

"Hmmm?" She hummed, her arms tightening around him.

"Can I ask you something?"  He questioned, pulling back slightly. 

Her eyes fluttered open.  "Of course." She smiled. 

Pushing up and away from her, Jackson once more reached out towards the nightstand.  He saw Megan sit up out of the corner of his eye and tuck her hair behind her ear.  Reaching into the drawer he withdrew a small object then turned to face her.  She smiled at him, her eyes watching him expectantly.  Jackson took a deep breath, showing her what he had pulled out of the drawer.  Megan's breath caught when she saw the ring. 

"Will you marry me?" He asked, his heart threatening to beat out of his chest.  "Again?"

She looked at him for a long time, remaining silent.  He watched as a single tear escaped and slid down her cheek.  Acting on instinct he reached for her left hand and slowly slid her wedding ring back onto her finger.  "I thought about getting you another ring." He told her, studying the solitaire diamond he'd given her four years ago.  "But I decided that I couldn't.  This is your ring." He continued.  "This is the ring I gave you when I first asked you to marry me, and this is the ring I hope you're still wearing eighty years from now."  He reached out with his other hand, smudging away her tears.  "I love you, Megan, and I will love you till the day I die.  Please tell me that you'll be my wife." He pled.  "I can't live--"

Megan silenced him by placing her finger against his lips.  "Yes." She breathed, leaning forward to press her lips to his.  Jackson breathed a heavy sigh of relief as he gathered her in his arms, kissing her deeply.  "Yes."

Chapter 19 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: you might need a tissue for part of this chapter...I got a little teary writing it...

"Lucy, I'm home!" Justin called out in an exaggerated Cuban accent as he opened the front door of his house in L.A. and dropped his overnight bag to the ground.  Buckley and Brennan rounded the corner of the hall--their paws skidding along the tile as they fell over each other in their excitement, trying to stop.  "Hey, guys!" Justin greeted the boxers, earning excited barks from both of them as they tried to attack him.  He laughed as he scratched them both behind the ears. 

"Where is she?" He asked.  Brennan cocked her head to the side as she watched him.  "Where's Aubrey?"  Brennan barked then took off back down the hall towards the kitchen with Buckley close on her heels.  Justin chuckled and followed the dogs.  "Aubrey?" He called out.  He was beyond anxious to see her.  Their last night together out on the yacht seemed like a dream now.  He needed to see her, to touch her, to convince himself it had really happened--that they had really gotten married; that she was really his wife.  He stopped, standing in the doorway of the kitchen, Buckley and Brennan sitting down beside him as he took in the scene before him. 

Aubrey had her back to him, her hair hanging loose around her shoulders as she danced around the kitchen.  So that's where my shirt went.  He thought, a smile spreading across his face as he recognized the blue plaid flannel shirt she had on.  He thought he had left it in one of the hotel rooms he'd been in the last couple weeks.  He never would have suspected Aubrey of swiping it from him.  He cocked his head to the side as his eyes ran over her--knowing for a fact that that shirt had never looked that good on him.  He leaned against the doorway as she suddenly began singing along to what she was listening to on her I-pod.

You better take it from me, that boy is like a disease

You're running, you're trying, you're trying to hide

And you're wondering why you can't get free

He's like a curse, he's like a drug

You get addicted to his love

You wanna get out but he's holding you down

‘Cause you can't live without one more touch

Justin laughed as she reached over, grabbing a wooden spoon from the jar on the counter and used it as a microphone as she continued singing.

He's a good time cowboy Casanova

Leaning up against the record machine

Looks like a cool drink of water

But he's candy-coated misery.

He's the devil in disguise

A snake with blue eyes

And he only comes out at night

Gives you feelings that you don't want to fight

You better run for your life.

 

I see that look on your face

You ain't hearing what I say-

"Justin!" Aubrey exclaimed with a startled gasp, as she turned suddenly and saw him watching her.  She placed her hand against her chest.  "When did you get home?  How long have you been standing there?" She asked, setting the wooden spoon on the counter and removing the ear buds from her ears.

"Five minutes." He answered, straightening as he began walking towards her.  Aubrey's eyes lit up, a smile spreading across her face as she met him halfway, throwing her arms around his neck as he picked her up--spinning her a couple of times. 

"Welcome home." She told him, pressing her lips to his.

"Mmmm..." He licked his lips when she pulled back.  "Can I get this kind of welcome home whenever I come back?" He asked with a grin.  He set her feet back on the ground, but kept his arms around her. 

"A kiss?" She asked.  "Well, I don't know..." she drawled.  "I'll have to think about that." She continued, a teasing sparkle in her beautiful eyes.

"No, a concert." He told her, playfully nibbling at her lips.  Her cheeks warmed and she laughed. 

"You caught me off guard." She told him, her lips moving against his.  "I wasn't expecting you home for another couple of hours.  I was making cookies."  She waved her arm towards the counter and the ingredients she had set out.

"I was able to catch an earlier flight." He replied, kissing her fully--not caring at all about whatever it was she had been making.  "I wanted to surprise you." He finished as he pulled back. 

~~~~~~~~~

Aubrey smiled, leaning back slightly to look at him-her eyes hungrily taking in the sight of him.  She reached up, running her fingers through his hair.  "It's getting longer." She remarked as it curled slightly around her fingers.  It had only been a week and a half since she'd last seen him, but it felt like it had been years!  "And what is all of this?" She asked, running her fingers over the whiskers covering his jaw.  "Too lazy to shave this morning?" She asked, teasing him. 

"I had more important things to do." He replied, his arms tightening around her waist. 

"Oh yeah?" Aubrey asked.  "Like what?"

"Like getting home to my wife." He answered, lowering his head as he captured her mouth in a heated kiss. 

Aubrey tightened her arms around his neck-trying to get closer to him.  Justin tilted his head slightly, deepening the kiss, and Aubrey couldn't hold back the moan that escaped.  He released her mouth finally, resting his forehead against hers--their noses brushing against each other. 

"I didn't dream that, did I?"  He asked.  "Please tell me that really happened.  Are you really--"

"Yes." Aubrey replied, reaching up to silence him with a finger.  "You're stuck with me now, Justin Timberlake." She told him.  "For better or for worse, I'm yours."  He breathed a heavy sigh of relief as he kissed her again.  "And speaking of that." Aubrey said when he pulled back.  "I have something for you.  Come with me." She said, stepping out of his arms and taking his hand.

She led him towards the stairs and up to their bedroom.  She let go of his hand as she walked towards the dresser.  She could feel Justin's eyes on her as she opened one draw and withdrew the item she had bought for him a few days ago.  Her heart fluttered nervously as she turned back around to face him--hoping he would like it. 

"Come here." She said, crooking a finger at him.  Obediently he walked towards her.  "Hold out your hand."  She requested.  He held out his right hand.  "No.  Your other hand." She told him.  Justin put out his left hand--his blue eyes narrowing as he watched her closely. 

"What is it?" He asked.

Aubrey held up the wedding band she had purchased and watched as a smile slowly slid across his face.  Taking his left hand in hers she slid the ring onto his finger.  "Now it's official." She said with a smile.  "You're mine."

Justin looked at his hand for a moment then lifted his eyes to meet hers.  Placing both of his hands on her face he leaned forward.  "I've been yours since the first day we met, Aubrey Janae.  I admit, it took me a little longer than it should have to realize that fact, but it's the truth."  He brushed his thumbs across her cheeks.  "Since that day...there's never been anyone else for me but you, and there never will be.  I love you, with all my heart and soul and I can't wait to spend the next ninety years proving it to you." 

Aubrey wrapped her fingers around his wrists, trying to hold back her tears.  "Kiss me, Justin." She requested.  "Before I die of happiness."

He chuckled quietly as he leaned his forehead against hers.  "You can't die, till I say you can." He told her.    

"No?" She asked with a chuckle, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth.   

"No." He shook his head.  "You're bound to honor and obey me now." He continued, a smirk on his face.  "Which means you have to do what I say..." He turned them and began walking backwards towards the bed.  "When I say."    

"Oh..." she smiled.  "I see." Aubrey replied, her stomach quivering at the predatory look in his eyes.

Justin nodded, stopping as they came to stand next to the bed.  "Like right now..." He drawled as he brushed his nose against her seductively, his lips a breath away from her own--driving her crazy. 

"Right now?" She asked, closing her eyes as he ran his nose along her jaw to her ear.  Aubrey shivered, a breathy sigh escaping her.  She gasped as Justin suddenly turned her and tossed her back onto the bed.  "Justin?" She asked, sitting up as she looked at him in question.  She watched as he crossed his arm, grabbed the hem of his T-shirt and lifted the material over his head.  Aubrey couldn't help the smile that spread as she unabashedly took in his incredible body.

"Right now..." he said, crawling up on the bed over her.  "I want you to make sweet," he pressed his lips against hers.  "Sweet love to me." He finished, kissing her again.

Aubrey giggled as she put her arms around his neck, accepting his weight as he rested his body atop hers.  "Whatever you say, Mr. Timberlake." She replied, her hands sliding down his chest between them.  Justin groaned.

"Oooh...Mrs. Timberlake..." He growled in her ear.  Aubrey giggled again, her back arching as his hands stole beneath the shirt she was wearing.  "You're pretty hot wearing my shirt."

"Oh, you like that?"  Aubrey asked, her fingers threading through his hair as she kissed his ear. 

"I thought I lost this shirt." He said, pulling back slightly to look down at her.  He ran his index finger down her nose, over her lips and chin, and along her throat and chest, stopping when he hit where the shirt was buttoned--his eyes following the path of his finger.  "I didn't know my wife," his eyes met hers again, "had stolen it." He smirked. "It looks good on you, Aubrey Janae." He chuckled.  "Hell, who am I kidding?  It looks great on you.  You can keep it." He said, pressing his lips to hers.  "But right now," He said, unbuttoning the top button, his lips making their way down her neck.  "I'm going to need you to take it off.  You can put it back on later." He promised.

Aubrey smiled.  Feeling a sudden surge of confidence she put her hands on his shoulders and used all her strength to roll them so she was now on top.  Justin quirked a brow in interest as his hands came to rest on her thighs, watching as she sat up and pushed the hair back from her face.  It was amazing what knowing that this man loved and adored her--had married her!--made her feel.  She felt free.  She felt powerful--like she could take on the world and win.  She wasn't afraid anymore.  She let out a laugh at the feeling.

"What's so funny?" Justin questioned.

"Not funny..." Aubrey shook her head.  "Just..."  She looked down at him.  "Do you remember the list I told I made?" She asked him.  "Of the things I wanted in life?"  He nodded.  She brushed her hair back over her shoulders and smiled as she unbuttoned another button on her shirt.  "I wrote down a lot of the things that you already know that I want." She told him.  "A family, a house, as normal a life as possible," she chuckled.  "And I want to finish my degree.  But I also wrote down that I wanted to overcome my fears." She slid her fingers down to the next button, watching as Justin's eyes moved back and forth between her face and her hands.  "I wrote down that I wanted to be able to trust you." This time his eyes stayed focused on hers.  "I wrote down that I wanted to be able to look in your eyes and know, without a shadow of a doubt, that when you tell me you love me, you really mean it."  Her fingers stilled as she looked down at him, blinking as she was suddenly overcome with emotion.  "You've given me everything I have ever wanted, Justin.  Everything.  Even the things money can't buy-the things I didn't even tell you I wanted." 

Justin sat up beneath her.  Aubrey scooted back so she was now straddling his lap instead of his stomach, her hands resting on his shoulders.  He placed his hands on her face, gently cupping her cheeks as he kissed first one corner of her mouth and then the other.  "You are my everything, Aubrey." He told her.  "I love you."

"I know." She nodded, smiling through the tears the blurred her vision.  She put a hand to his face as she pressed her lips to his.  "I know.  I love you, too."  She wound her arms around his neck as his slid around her waist.  "I love you, too."    

~~~~~~~

"I hate you."

"What?" Rachel questioned as she looked over at Megan.  "Why?  Why do you hate me?"

"Because you're making me wear heels," Megan stated, pointing down at the shoes on her feet.  "While you get to be barefoot for this whole thing."

Rachel chuckled.  "It's my wedding." She shrugged.  "Which means I get to do whatever the hell I want and you have to do whatever the hell I say."

Megan laughed as she looked back at the compact in her hand and continued applying her lipstick.  "Are you ready to do this?" She asked, closing the compact and looking over at Rachel.

Rachel shook her head.  "No." She answered honestly.  "I've spent the last year, almost, planning this day and now that it's actually happening..." she stopped.  "I'm so nervous I'm afraid I'm going to throw up.  How romantic would that be?" She asked dryly.  Megan laughed again as she put her arms around Rachel.  "Don't mess up my hair!" Rachel commanded. 

"Sorry." Megan replied, pulling back.  "You'll be fine, Ray.  I promise.  You're not going to throw up.  It's just all the anticipation and excitement building up, but once you're out there--and you see him," she sighed.  "Everything just kind of melts away and it's just the two of you." 

Rachel watched the dreamy expression spread across Megan's face as her friend became lost in thought.  "I'm really glad you're here, Megs." She said.

"Me, too." Megan smiled.  "This is the first celebrity wedding I've ever been to." She whispered conspiratorially.  Rachel laughed then closed her eyes and took a deep breath.  "You'll be fine, Ray." Megan assured her.  "You look gorgeous!  JC's going die when he sees you."

"You really think so?" Rachel asked, looking down at the dress she was wearing.

"I know so." Megan nodded.

The girls both turned as Aubrey poked her head into the tent.  "Everyone's here." She smiled. 

Rachel took a deep breath.  "This is it." She stated, reaching for Megan's hand once more as the butterflies in her stomach multiplied exponentially.  "Okay." She nodded.  "Let's do this."

~~~~~~~~

JC fidgeted nervously, straightening his tie for the tenth time in the last five minutes.  This is ridiculous.  He thought, dropping his hands to his sides and taking a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves.  "I've been on stage in front of twenty thousand people before." He reminded himself, under his breath.  "Why the hell am I so nervous right now?!"

"Because you're getting married."  JC looked over as Justin leaned towards him, whispering.  Justin put his hand on his shoulder.  "You're supposed to be nervous.  Relax."

"Wait till it's your turn." JC replied.  "Then you can tell me to relax."  Justin just smiled.  "I can't believe I'm doing this." JC stated, his eyes scanning the small gathering of friends and family.  His mother was already dabbing at her eyes as she sat on one of the chairs that had been set up on the sand. 

After all their talks and discussions about where to get married, they had finally decided to have the ceremony on the beach.  Sure it was a bit windy and the sand was inconvenient, but the water and the setting sun behind them made a fantastic backdrop.  He had to hand it to her--Rachel knew what she was doing when it came to designing and putting together the perfect event. 

"I can't believe you're doing this either." Justin confided, breaking JC from his thoughts.  "I thought for sure you were through with being in a relationship after..." He paused.  "Well...after everything that's happened."

"I was." JC nodded.  "I was." 

Further conversation between the men was halted as the minister stepped up next to JC and Aubrey started the music playing from where she was standing at the back.  Megan made her appearance, walking down the aisle toward them--stopping and standing a few feet away from JC and Justin.  She smiled at them, then looked out to the audience, smiling at her husband who sat in the second row. JC too, looked over at Jackson-suddenly blown away by the fact that if he had never met Jackson Taylor, if he had never decided to get an investment broker to help manage his money, he may never have met Rachel and wouldn't be standing where he was standing right now about to take a huge step he never thought he would take. 

Aubrey switched songs and everybody turned, then stood up as Rachel appeared--accompanied by her father.  JC's eyes met hers and his nerves suddenly disappeared as she smiled at him.  She took his breath away.  The strapless bodice hugged her tightly, while the full skirt flowed down from her waist.  The material was a soft cream color that coordinated perfectly with the light pink roses in her hair and bouquet.  He had given her a set of diamond earrings and a matching necklace for Valentine's Day this year and he could see the jewels glittering against her skin.  He felt like pinching himself--to assure himself that he was truly awake and that this was really happening.  He still found it hard to believe sometimes that she loved him but as she stopped a foot away from him--her beautiful brown eyes staying locked on his--and her father placed her hand into his, JC sent a silent prayer of gratitude heavenward.  He didn't know how it had happened, or how he had managed to convince this beautiful creature to marry him, but he had.  And who was he to question it?

~~~~~~~~~~

Rachel gave JC's fingers a squeeze as she stepped up next to him and stood before the minister they had hired.  Megan had been right.  As soon as she had seen him, all of her nervousness had disappeared.  A small part of her had worried that he wouldn't show up and was going to back out at the last minute.  She knew it was an irrational fear and as she had walked down the aisle towards him-watched the way his eyes had lit up at the sight of her--every worry and concern had vanished. 

The minister spoke for a few moments about love and the ceremony that was about to be performed then handed it over to Rachel and JC, informing their friends and family that they were going to recite the vows they had written.  Rachel turned to face JC.  He stood, looking at her for a moment--his blue eyes searching hers--then he opened his mouth and began to speak.

"Three years ago," He began, taking her other hand in his as well.  "I had given up on a lot of things.  I had given up on my career.  I had given up on myself and I had given up on love."  He stopped, blinking a few times.  Rachel saw the tell-tale sheen of tears in his eyes, which prompted her own to start forming.  He swallowed hard and squeezed her hands.  "Then I met you." He said, his voice cracking slightly.  He cleared his throat and Rachel bit her lip to stop its trembling-though she could do nothing about the tears that fell and slid down her cheeks.  "You sassed your way into my life, Rachel, and rearranged everything.  Literally." He joked and she laughed through her tears.  "Because of you I was able to do what I love once again.  Because of you I was able to be myself once again and because of you, I was able to love and trust once again.  Our relationship has been anything but smooth at times.  I've made some stupid mistakes and I know I've hurt you in the past but you've forgiven me and shown me that true love is unconditional.  I don't deserve you but I love you and I promise--today, in front of God and these witnesses-that I will do everything in my power to be the man you want and need and I hope that someday I can prove myself worthy of you."

Rachel's tears were flowing freely by the end of his speech.  She didn't know how she was going to be able to recite what she had written.  Megan reached over, handing her a handkerchief.  She released one of JC's hands and took it--blotting it under her eyes. 

"I should have gone first." She said, making everyone laugh.  JC squeezed the hand he was still holding, his eyes never leaving hers.  Taking a deep breath she squared her shoulders.  "I have loved you since I was fifteen years old."  She began.  "But my love for you has changed drastically over the last couple years.  You are no longer the boy I once dreamt about meeting.  You are the man who has seen me at my worst and has helped me become my best.  You are the man who has helped me overcome the obstacles that life has presented me and been there with onion rings when I needed them."  He smiled and Rachel felt her tears falling again as she reached for his other hand.  "No matter what life throws at us next, today I give you my hand and my heart and I promise to support you, to laugh with you, to cry with you, to honor and respect you, but most importantly I promise to love you.  Forever."

When she had finished, the minister asked for the rings.  Justin and Megan produced the rings and Rachel and JC turned to look at the minister. 

"Joshua, please take Rachel by the left hand and repeat after me: Rachel Olivia Kline," The minister began.

JC turned to look at Rachel and repeated her name as he took a hold of her left hand.  "Rachel Olivia Kline." Rachel smiled as she looked up at him.

"With this ring, as a token of my love and devotion," the minister prompted.

"With this ring," JC echoed as he slowly slid the wedding band onto her finger.  "As a token of my love and devotion." He gave her hand a squeeze as he continued to look deeply into her eyes.

"I thee wed."

"I thee wed." JC repeated. 

"Rachel," the minister turned to her.  "Please take Joshua by the left hand and repeat after me: Joshua Scott Chasez."

"Joshua Scott Chasez." Rachel repeated. 

"With this ring, as a token of my love and devotion." The minister recited the next line.  Repeating the line, Rachel slid the silver wedding band he had picked out onto his finger then held his hand with both of her.  "I thee wed." The minister finished.

"I thee wed." Rachel proclaimed. 

"By the powers vested in me by the state of California, I know pronounce you husband and wife." The minister concluded.  "Joshua, you may now kiss your bride."

JC stepped towards her and Rachel looked up at him, her heart ready to burst out of her chest.  They'd done it!  They'd really done it!  JC lifted his hands, gently cupping her face as he pressed his lips against hers softly.  She could tell he was trying to keep it simple because of the audience they had, but she didn't care.  Throwing her arms around his neck, Rachel kissed him enthusiastically.  JC made a noise of surprise but he put his arms around her waist, lifting her off the ground slightly--kissing her back passionately as their friends and family clapped and cheered.

They were married!  The dream Rachel had been harboring for the last fourteen years had just come true.  She had married the man of her dreams and nothing was going to stop her from celebrating that fact.  As she pulled back, JC laughed and hugged her tightly.  Rachel rested her chin on his shoulder, her arms still wound around him.  They stayed like that for another couple moments until people began coming up to congratulate them.  After accepting hugs from his parents and siblings, her dad, and each of the guys, Rachel felt JC put his arm around her waist and pull her close.

"Now what, wedding planner?" JC whispered as he leaned down and nuzzled her ear.

"Now?" She asked, turning to look at him.  "Now, we party!" Rachel replied with an excited smile as she began leading him down the aisle towards where the cars were parked. "Follow me."  

~~~~~~~~

"Aside from being a world famous pop star, you must have some special magical powers I don't know about." Jackson said as he came to stand next to JC. 

JC looked over at him, a confused look on his face.  "What are you talking about?" He asked.

"Rachel." Jackson replied, pointing across the room to where Rachel stood, talking and laughing with Megan and Aubrey.  "The first time I met her was at a wedding reception I went to with Megan when we were first dating." Jackson said, lifting the bottle of beer he was holding to his lips and taking a swig.  "Rachel swore to me that she was never getting married." He continued.  "But if, somehow, she ever did, she was never going to have a reception because they were ‘dumb and expensive.'"  He looked around at the party going on around them then turned back to look at JC who chuckled as his eyes remained focused on Rachel across the room.  "So, how'd you do it?" Jackson asked.  "How'd you get her to agree to marry you?"

JC shrugged as he looked over at Jackson.  "Magic." He replied with a grin.

Jackson laughed as he slapped JC on the back.  "Congratulations, man." He offered, clinking his beer bottle against the glass JC held in his hand.  "Marriage can be rough sometimes; I'm not going to lie." Jackson said.  "But," he paused, smiling when Megan's eyes caught his from where she was standing and she smiled at him.  "It's the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"Thanks." JC replied.  "For everything."  Jackson turned to look at JC in question.  "None of this would have happened if we hadn't met all those years ago." JC clarified.  "Now," he said, lifting his glass to his lips and throwing back his head as he emptied the contents.  Handing the glass to Jackson he tugged at the sleeves of his tux.  "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go dance with my wife."

~~~~~~~~~ 

Rachel watched as JC began walking towards her from across the room, only half listening as Megan told her of the offer they had had on their house and the plans she and Jackson were making to move to California within the next month.  Her stomach quivered at the determined look in JC's eyes and her heart began fluttering in her chest.  He looked incredible!  There was nothing quite like JC in a tuxedo.  The man had had his ups and downs over the years when it came to his choice in fashion, but a tux was something he knew how to wear and had always looked amazing in.

"Are you even listening to me?" Megan asked, breaking through Rachel's thoughts.

"Nope." Rachel shook her head, not even bothering to lie. 

Megan laughed.  "Okay."

Rachel turned to look at her best friend.  "Sorry." She apologized, turning her eyes back to JC.

"It's alright." Megan smiled.  "I know I can't compete with the amazing and talented JC Chasez.  Especially when he's walking towards you wearing a tux."

"I feel like I'm dreaming." Rachel confessed as JC was stopped by some of his relatives that had come in from out of state.  He looked over at her apologetically and she smiled at him.  "Am I dreaming?" She asked turning again to look at Megan.  "Please tell me this is real."

"It's real." Megan replied with a smile.  "You just did what millions of women around the world have been wishing, hoping and praying that they could do for the last ten years."

Rachel let that sink in then let out an excited giggle.  "I just married JC Chasez!" She said, looking at Megan in amazement.  "How...I can't even..." She shook her head, unable to express what she was feeling at the moment. 

Megan laughed beside her then leaned over and gave Rachel a hug as the man they were discussing finally approached them.  "Enjoy the moment." She said, pulling back. 

Rachel's eyes met JC's as he stopped in front of her-barely registering when Megan walked away, leaving them alone.  "Hi." He greeted her--his blue eyes sparkling happily.

"Hi." Rachel replied. 

JC held out his hand to her.  "Dance with me?" He asked. 

Rachel slid her hand into his and followed as he led her out onto the dance floor.  He signaled to the DJ as he pulled her into his arms.  As the opening bars of the song began, Rachel looked at him in surprise.  This wasn't the song they had originally talked about having as the song they would have their first dance to.  "Jace?" She questioned. "What..."

He tightened the arm that was around her waist, pulling her close.  "I made a little change." He admitted.  "I heard this song a few days ago and knew right away that it was our song."

Rachel looked up into his incredible, blue eyes-listening to the words of the song as he led her around the dance floor.

Didn't they always say we were the lucky ones?
I guess that we were once, babe, we were once,
But luck will leave you cursed, it is a faithless friend,
And in the end, when life has got you down,
You've got someone here that you can wrap your arms around.

So hold on to me tight,
Hold on to me tonight.
We are stronger here together,
Than we could ever be alone.
So hold on to me,
Don't you ever let me go.   

Rachel laid her head down on his shoulder, her nose brushing against his neck as she tightened the arm she had around him in her attempt to get as close as possible to him. 

There's a thousand ways for things to fall apart,
But it's no one's fault, no it's not my fault.
Maybe all the plans we made might not work out,
But I have no doubt, even though it's hard to see.
I've got faith in us, and I believe in you and me. 
 
JC bent his head slightly and began singing along quietly--the sound of his voice low in her ear and his warm breath on her neck raising a million goose bumps. 

So hold on to me tight.
Hold on, I promise it will be alright.
Cuz it's you and me together,
And baby all we've got is time.
So hold on to me,
Hold on to me tonight.

There's so many dreams that we have given up.
Take a look at all we've got,
And with this kind of love,
And what we've got here is enough.

So hold on to me tight.
Hold on, I promise it will be alright.
Cuz we are stronger here together,
Than we could ever be alone.
Just hold on to me,
Don't you ever let me go.  

As the song ended, and another began, Rachel lifted her head-her eyes meeting JC's for a moment before he leaned forward and pressed his lips against hers.  She kissed him back, shutting her eyes tightly as she sought to memorize every detail of what had just happened.  She wanted to be able to look back on this moment in twenty-five years and be able to remember how it had felt to be in his arms and know that--although they had had their share of struggles, and she was certain they would have more--no matter what tomorrow held for them they loved each other and would hold on to each other. 

JC's lips released hers, and Rachel slowly opened her eyes as he pulled back.  "I love you." He pledged.    

Rachel felt tears pricking at the conviction he had put behind those three little words.  "I love you, too." She replied, placing a hand against his cheek.  She pulled him down for another kiss--releasing the hand she still held and winding her arms around his neck as their lips met again.  "I love you, too."

 ~~~~~~~~~

"So, are you upset?"

Aubrey turned from watching Rachel and JC as they danced their first dance as husband and wife and looked over at Justin who was sitting beside her.  "What?" She asked, looking at him in confusion.  "Why would I be upset?"

"Because we didn't do..." he waved the fork in his hand around for a moment then took another bite of the cake in front of him.  "This." He finished.  "You didn't get to wear the dress, or have the reception I'm sure you wanted."  He looked at her in apology.

"Maybe not." She replied, hugging his arm as she looked up at him.  "But I got the guy I wanted." She smiled as she kissed his cheek.  "I'm not upset." Aubrey continued, wanting to reassure him that she was perfectly happy with their quick decision to get married a few weeks ago and keep it secret for a while.  "I promise."

"When do you want to tell everyone?" He asked, spearing another bite of cake, but this time holding it out for her. 

Aubrey accepted the bite then shrugged.  "That's up to you." She told him.  "But..." she trailed off as she looked over at Rachel and JC for a moment then turned back to Justin.  "Let's give it a little while." She said.  "I don't want to ruin their moment, you know?"

Justin nodded.  "It's going to be hard keeping my hand in my pocket for too long." He told her as he took the last bite of the cake.  "I don't think anybody's noticed it yet, but it's not going to be too much longer before someone does."

Aubrey chuckled.  "You don't have to wear your ring until we announce it to people, if you don't want." She told him.  "I won't get mad if you're not wearing it."

"I want to wear it." He told her.  "I like wearing it." He smiled.  "It makes me think of you every time I look at it."

"Well, then you're just going to have to go around with your hand in your pocket for awhile." Aubrey replied.  "Or you could tell everyone it's a chastity ring." She teased.

Justin laughed.  He moved the arm she had been holding on to and put it around her shoulders, drawing her close.  "Nobody's going to believe that." He told her.  "Especially not when I've got a ‘fiancée,'" he made quotation marks in the air with his fingers as he said the word, "that looks like you." He finished, turning his head and nuzzling her ear.

Aubrey shivered as Justin pressed his lips to the side of her neck.  "Justin..." She breathed in warning as his lips began to roam. 

"Aubrey..." he replied, matching her tone. 

She slapped his chest playfully.  "Don't be a brat." She told him. 

He sighed and sat up.  "One more question." He stated.

"What?" She replied, leaning her head against his shoulder. 

"Where do you want your tattoo to go?"

Aubrey lifted her head and looked at him in confusion.  "My tattoo?" She asked.  "What in the world are you talking about?"

Justin turned his blue eyes on her.  "You remember." He told her.  "You asked me once how many tattoos I had.  I told you how many and explained them all to you then I told you there was one more I was going to get."  Aubrey's heart skipped in her chest.  She had honestly forgotten about that conversation they had had when he had taken her to Cabo last year but now that he had brought it up, so knew what he was talking about.  "I told you the last one I was going to get was going to be my wife's name." He continued.  "So..." he drawled.  "Where do you want it?"

Aubrey looked at him for a moment.  "I...I don't know." She replied, taken back.  "Where do you want it?" She asked.  "It's your body.  I'm sure you've thought about where you want to put it, haven't you?"

He shrugged.  "There are a few places I could put it, but I wanted to see if you had a preference."

"How big is it going to be?" She asked.

Again he shrugged.  "However big it needs to be to fit the space."

Aubrey studied him for a moment, trying to visualize where he should put the new tattoo.  He stared back, his blue eyes watching her closely.  "What about..." she hesitated.

"Yes?" He questioned. 

"What about on your chest?" She asked, reaching out and placing her hand above his heart.  "Right here." She continued quietly as her eyes stayed locked with his.  "Is that too cheesy?" She asked.  "Putting it over your heart like that?" She chuckled.

Justin placed a hand over hers and she watched as his lips lifted slightly.  "Yes." He nodded.  "It's cheesy, but..." He smiled.  "That's where I wanted to put it." He told her.  "My heart is yours, after all."

Aubrey smiled as she leaned towards him, kissing him then laying her head back against his shoulder.  They watched as the party started winding down and people began leaving.  Before too many left however, Rachel announced she was going to be tossing her bouquet.

"You wanna go up there?" Justin asked.

"Why?" She questioned.  "I'm not single anymore."

"I know." He said.  "But nobody else knows that.  It might look suspicious if you don't go up there."

"No more suspicious than you keeping your left hand in your pocket all the time." She replied dryly, making him laugh. 

"Point taken." He agreed.  They watched as Rachel tossed her bouquet over her shoulder to the small crowd gathered behind her and laughed along with everyone else when they saw who had caught it. 

Chris turned and looked around.  When he spotted Aubrey over the bouquet of pink roses in his hands he gave her a thumbs up.  "This is for you." He told her with a grin.  

"Okay," Justin remarked.  "Enough is enough."  Aubrey laughed.  "We have got to get him a girlfriend." 

End Notes:
Song credits: "Cowboy Casanova" by Carrie Underwood and "Hold On" by Michael Buble. 
Epilogue by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

well guys...this is it.  :(  Sad to say our journey with these characters is over.  It's been a long and bumpy road and, while I could continue writing about their lives, I kind of want to leave while everyone is happy!  lol..

I'm always looking for my next storyline, so if you have an idea or suggestion let me know  :) 

 

Rachel raised her glass of champagne and pressed it to her lips.  Taking a sip, her eyes surveyed the room and the people filling it.  This day had been a long time in coming and the result had brought several people into town that she hadn't seen in a while-not out of neglect, but because life had a funny way of taking over and priorities had changed like they had a tendency of doing.  She smiled as she observed her daughter.  Claire was breathtaking--the perfect bride.  The dress she had chosen was simple with a beaded corset and a plain, white, satin skirt but Rachel had never seen her daughter look more beautiful.  The thick curls she had inherited from JC were pulled back away from her face and cascaded down her back while the diamonds at her ears and throat glittered attractively--drawing attention to the look of absolute happiness on her face.  Rachel watched as Megan and Jackson's son, Scott, came up to Claire, slipped his arm around her waist, and then led his bride out to the dance floor. 

Megan and Jackson had moved to L.A. shortly after Rachel and JC had gotten married, allowing their children to grown up together.  Though Claire was the same age as Megan's daughter Emily, it was Scott that had become her best friend.  The two had formed a strong bond of friendship like their mothers had before them but Rachel had watched, along with Megan, as Scott and Claire's relationship had slowly changed over the years.  The friendship was still there and provided the solid foundation they had needed for the love that had grown between them to succeed.  Rachel had a hard time believing sometimes that the kids were old enough to be getting married but, while she had cautioned Claire about getting married so young, they were both adults.  Scott and Claire were past the age when their parents could tell them what to do and they had decided they wanted to get married. 

Scott had turned twenty-six at the beginning of the year, had finished graduate school and was now working for a large architectural firm in Los Angeles.  Claire, who had inherited a love and talent for dancing from both of her parents, had earned herself a dancing scholarship to UCLA and was in her senior year competing with the school's dance team, teaching three days a week at a private studio, and beginning to earn herself a reputation as talented choreographer.  Thanks to her father and his musical connections, Claire had been in several music videos over the last couple years and had been able to work with some of the best choreographers currently out there--taking what she had learned and putting it to good use both at school and at the studio where she taught.

Rachel smiled as the song ended and Scott handed Claire over to her father for the next song.  Rachel's eyes focused on the man who, for the last twenty seven years that they had been together, had never once wavered in his loyalty and devotion to her.  They were about to celebrate their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary and Rachel felt her heart swell as she watched JC twirl Claire out on the dance floor--the smile on his face crinkling the corners of his blue eyes in the same adorable way it always had.  His hair was now generously sprinkled with gray and he hadn't been on tour or recorded a song in over twenty years, but she loved him more today than she ever had and she knew that he loved her--deeply and without question.  JC wasn't simply her husband.  He was her best friend, her confidant and her partner in every way.  He was a passionate lover and, though he was still able to make her knees weak and leave her breathless when he kissed her, more importantly he was a devoted father; a fact that had made him all the more attractive to her over the years.  Claire and her younger brother Kyle--a replica of his father, and a surprise addition that had come along a few years after Claire had been born--held a very special place in his heart.  JC took his role as father seriously and Rachel adored him for it.

"Rachel?"

Rachel was startled out of her thoughts by someone calling her name.  She turned and looked up, gasping in surprise.  "Aubrey!" She exclaimed as she stood and put her arms around the woman she hadn't seen in a few years.  Aubrey laughed as she hugged Rachel back.  "Oh, it's so good to see you!" Rachel insisted as she pulled back. 

"It's good to see you, too." Aubrey replied with a smile. 

Rachel spotted another familiar face over Aubrey's shoulder and put her arms around his neck as well.  "Hi, Justin."

"Hey, Rachel." Justin greeted her as he hugged her back.  "Long time, no see." He remarked.

"I think I'm going to cry!" Rachel proclaimed as she looked back and forth between Aubrey and Justin.  The couple looked at each other--Justin sliding his arm around his wife's waist-then back at Rachel with smiles on their faces.  "It is so good to see you guys!  Sit down, sit down.  Tell me what's been going on.  How's everything?  Are you two still in Tennessee?  Did you bring Randy?" She asked, looking around.  "I haven't seen him since we were out there for Thanksgiving four years ago."

Justin chuckled at Rachel's string of questions as he held a chair out for Aubrey then sat down next to her.  "Same old Rachel." He remarked under his breath.

"So?" Rachel prompted.  "What have you guys been up to lately?"

"Nothing really." Aubrey replied.  "Just life."

"Are you still teaching?" Rachel asked. 

"Yeah." Aubrey nodded.  "Fifteen years, can you believe it?"

"That's great!" Rachel exclaimed.

Six months after Rachel and JC had gotten married a rumor had begun circulating that Justin Timberlake had married his girlfriend of less than a year, Aubrey Davis.  The story was supported by a picture that had been taken of Justin around town, clearly showing him wearing a ring on his left ring finger.  A week later, in response to the rumor, Justin had released an official statement publicly announcing that he and Aubrey had gotten married at a secret and private ceremony on her birthday.  The media had gone crazy over the announcement, which had only helped in promoting the reunion tour the guys had been on, and Aubrey had found out firsthand what it was like to be a target of the paparazzi.  Being Justin Timberlake's girlfriend was one thing--being his wife was completely different.  Everyone had wanted to see and know about the woman that had finally managed to get the Prince of Pop to settle down and make him do what no other woman before her had managed to.  Once all the questions had been asked and the tour had come to an end the media craze had died down, until a year later when it came out that Justin and Aubrey Timberlake were expecting via a surrogate. 

After the baby-Randy Michael Timberlake-had been born, the couple had packed up, leaving L.A. for good to settle down in Justin's hometown in Tennessee.  Justin was still known and respected in the music industry but, like JC, hadn't released anything new in almost twenty years.  He had continued to stay busy with his clothing line, working behind the scenes with his record label and different charities he was a part of, and playing in an occasional celebrity golf tournament here and there but, like his former group-mate, Justin had mostly taken to being a family man once his son was born--a position that suited him well.  He was still Mr. SexyBack-just with a little gray at the temples now. 

"Sorry we missed the ceremony earlier." Justin apologized as he signaled to a passing waiter.  The man stopped and Justin retrieved two glasses of champagne from the tray he held.  Handing one to Aubrey he took a sip of the other.  "Our flight was delayed."

"That's okay." Rachel smiled.  "I'm just glad you two are here!  It's been too long since we've had a chance to get together."

"Claire looks so beautiful." Aubrey stated.  "She and Scott certainly make a great looking couple.  It's hard to believe these kids are all grown up and getting married."

"I know." Rachel replied.  "The time goes by so quickly."

"Where's Megan?" Aubrey asked.  "I didn't see her when we came in."

"She's here." Rachel said, looking around for Megan.  "There she is." She pointed across the room.  Megan must have sensed someone was talking to her because she turned around at just that moment.  Rachel waved at her and Megan waved back, smiling when she saw Aubrey and Justin sitting with Rachel.  Megan held up a finger, indicating she would be over in a minute and Rachel turned back to Aubrey and Justin as a tall, lanky young man approached the table.  He was the spitting image of Justin--the same curly light brown hair, the same build, the same facial features.  Aside from the hazel eyes he had inherited from his mother, there was no mistaking that this was Justin Timberlake's son. 

"There he is." Justin supplied when he saw Randy, pointing at his son.

"Hi, Aunt Rachel." Randy greeted her with a hug as she stood. 

"Hi, yourself!" She replied, pulling back to look at him.  "It's good to see you.  I was just telling your mom and dad that it's been too long since we've had a chance to see you.  I bet you get this all the time, but you look just like your father did at your age." She told him, feeling like she had stepped back in time twenty-five years as she looked at Randy.

"Yeah." He chuckled.  "So I've been told."

"So, have you been breaking a lot of hearts at Harvard this semester?" Rachel asked as she sat back down.

"Naw." Randy shook his head as he sat down next to Rachel.  "There's no time." 

Rachel watched as Aubrey looked at her son proudly.  Randy had worked hard to get a 4.0 in high school, had graduated last year with honors with an undergraduate degree in biology and was currently in his first year of medical school at the prestigious university.  His parent's were both extremely proud of him and, with his ambition and passion for medicine, Rachel had a feeling the Timberlake name would once again be well known and respected the world over. 

"Don't let school take up all of your time." Rachel replied.  "There's no sense wasting all of your good looks on books."  She smiled when Randy's cheeks warmed slightly.

Justin chuckled.  "He was hoping to see Emily." He supplied.

"Dad!" Randy exclaimed, looking at his father in shock. 

Rachel's smile grew as the younger man's cheeks blazed.  "Ah!" She mused.  "I see."  She nodded.  "Well, you're in luck." She told him.  Rachel leaned towards Randy.  "She's right over there." She said, pointing at Scott's younger sister who was currently taking pictures of the bride and groom as they were dancing once again.  Randy looked in the direction Rachel was pointing.  "Why don't you go talk to her?  Say hi?  I'm sure she'd love to see you."

"In a minute." He replied.

Rachel looked over at Aubrey and Justin who both smiled knowingly at her.  Although their kids knew each other and the three families had spent summers together when they were all younger, it had been five years since the last time they had all gotten together.  As the kids had gotten older and gone off to college, it had gotten harder to find a time when everyone could get together.  The last summer vacation they had taken had been right after Claire had graduated high school.  Scott had been studying for a semester in Italy and Megan and Jackson were making it a family trip to go pick him up.  They had invited Rachel and JC and their kids to come as well as Justin, Aubrey and Randy.  The trip had been amazing, but what Rachel was remembering now was all the time Randy and Emily had spent together as they had been touring the ancient city.  She hadn't thought anything of it at the time but now wondered if that hadn't been the beginning of something between these two.  Emily had grown up and matured into a beautiful young woman and Randy...Rachel chuckled to herself.  Well, Randy's a Timberlake.  She thought.  There was really nothing more she could say about the boy.  He was good looking, charming, sweet, laidback, and had a slight southern drawl that Rachel was sure made all the girls swoon.  Not to mention the fact that he was smart, educated and working on becoming a doctor.  He was the perfect catch and Rachel suddenly wanted to get them together--to see if there was a spark of any sort.

"There's no time like the present." Rachel whispered, trying to be the little devil on his shoulder.  Although he had gotten his father's charm and good looks, he had inherited his mother's temperament.  He was more reserved and quiet than Justin had ever dreamed of being and Rachel knew Randy was going to need a little pushing to get up and walk over to say hi. 

"She looks like she's busy." He muttered, though his eyes stayed locked on Emily. 

Rachel sighed.  "You're as stubborn as your parents." She stated.  Randy turned to look at her in question.  "I could tell you stories about how hard I had to work to get those two together." She told the young man, gesturing towards his parents.  Justin and Aubrey chuckled as they looked at each other.  "Go say hi." She prompted.  "You're going to regret it if you don't."

Randy took a deep breath then finally pushed his chair away from the table and stood up.  Rachel, Aubrey and Justin all watched in interest as he made his way towards Emily--the three adults smiling when they saw him tap Emily on the shoulder and she turned around, greeting him with a huge smile and a hug. 

"Yeah, I still got it." Rachel replied smugly as she leaned back in her chair and folded her arms across her chest.  "Another Timberlake bites the dust."  

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1480