You Get Me Through by Mel514
Summary:

Celebrity life is hard. You go through so much, so fast, until one day you forget who you are. Wouldn’t it be nice if someone, not your typical someone, was there to see you through it?

 [*Short story brought back to life*]  


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 44775 Read: 39597 Published: Jul 22, 2009 Updated: May 01, 2011
Story Notes:

 

 

1. Chapter 1 by Mel514

2. Chapter 2 by Mel514

3. Chapter 3 by Mel514

4. Chapter 4 by Mel514

5. Chapter 5 by Mel514

6. Chapter 6 by Mel514

7. Chapter 7 by Mel514

8. Chapter 8 by Mel514

9. Chapter 9 by Mel514

10. Chapter 10 by Mel514

11. Chapter 11 by Mel514

12. Chapter 12 by Mel514

13. Chapter 13 by Mel514

14. Chapter 14 by Mel514

Chapter 1 by Mel514
Author's Notes:
Something short and sweet! Let me know what you think =)

 

You Get Me Through

By Mel

 

I walk lightly down the hotel hallway, anxious to get to the right room. I’m counting the numbers displayed on the doors, getting closer to the right one. I figured this feeling would have faded out by now but it hasn’t. If anything, I look forward to these days, these moments. It’s almost as if my soul anticipates when I’m going to see her, knowing that in a short time, everything will all make sense. I’ll get some time to breathe, some time to not have a camera shoved in my face, be asked a million and fifty two questions, not have to sing, no nothing. I just get to be Justin.

I finally make it to the right room, marked 702 as I place a light knock on the door. I know she’s waiting for me so it’s not long before it swings open and she’s standing there, smiling brightly back at me. I carefully look down the empty hallway, making sure some spastic fan hasn’t followed me and am relieved to see it’s clear. I make my way into the hotel room and close the door behind me and it’s not even three seconds before her arms are wrapped around me and the soft, feminine scent of her envelopes my senses. She feels good in my arms and I use the opportunity to wrap my own around her frame, letting it all soak in. I’ve waited a long time for his.

We don’t pull away right away, instead, we stay like this for a few moments and I feel her arms tighten a little around my neck and I do the same to her waist. She seriously feels too good to let go. I take some time, savoring this moment, making a mental memory to keep inside my head for when I’m away, back to real life and she can’t be here to make it better. Like I said, these moments are few and far between.

She finally pulls away and my hands slide off her waist but I catch one of her hands in mine, linking our pinkies together and holding on. She smiles again back at me and we walk further into the room, where I kick off my shoes before taking a seat on the small sofa in the make shift living room and already I’m feeling better.

We settle into a comfortable silence as she lays back on the pillows, rolling to her side and holding her arms out for me to join her. I move my body, half on my stomach and half on my side as I drape myself over her, head coming to rest on her shoulder. Her hands immediately go to my hair, gently scratching my scalp and there’s nothing I can do to suppress the moan that escapes deep from my throat. This feels like heaven already. She giggles easily and just the sound of her voice has me grinning up at her. Her hands leave my head before making their way down to my neck and shoulders, where her fingers start massaging my sore muscles. I don’t know how she knows, but she’s always on top of what I need. My eyes slide shut as I let my body get lost in the talent of her hands.

“Feel good?” she says softly.

“Mmmhmm.” I moan, my voice mumbled by her chest.

She laughs as my voice vibrates against her skin but she continues.

“You doing okay?”

I nod, not saying much of anything because she knows what it’s like. We’ve been through these conversations night after night and for once I don’t want to reminisce on the drama that is known as my life. She understands and not knowing every current aspect is fine with her because she’s here to get me through, not to pry.

I could sit here and bitch about how I’m sick and tired of doing photo shoot after photo shoot, having to smile my ass off and pretend like I’m fine with everything. I could tell her about how for the last three weeks, every night of my life is spent dancing and singing on stage for millions of screaming fans and even though I do love making music, it gets so old fast. I could mention all of the interviews I do, and how I roll my eyes as I get asked who I’m sleeping with, who my current girlfriend is and if we’re getting married soon. I could also tell you, not her that she is not my girlfriend.

My girlfriend is overseas right now, shooting a movie.

Don’t sit there and think that I’m cheating on her because I’m not. This has nothing to do with sex.

You see, having a girlfriend is still tied to all of the drama that’s known as my everyday life. She’s in the business to so she obviously has her own. She’s been with me through mine so when it all ties together, it’s like one big giant ball of stress. As much as I love her, she can’t give me what I’m getting right this second. Right now, I’m just Justin. Not Justin Timberlake, singer, actor, fashion extraordinaire, and without a doubt not Justin Timberlake, the worlds best boyfriend.

Because I will tell you that I’m not. I can be an ass hole and I’m so far from perfect that sometimes it’s not even funny. I will say I try to be the best I can be and love my girlfriend with all of my heart but this has nothing to do with her.

Yes, back to the other her. The one who’s got amazing fingers, about to lull me to sleep.

Her hands are now working their way to my back, and as small and skinny as her fingers are, they sure feel amazing against my muscles. She knows the right pressure to use, the right rhythm to keep and exactly where to go when I need it. It’s pretty ironic that she instinctively knows that I needed this because I must have slept wrong last night and my back has been killing me ever since. I swear I didn’t even tell her either.

I try not to think about the busy schedule I have ahead of me for the rest of the week and do my best to push it out of my head because right now is not the time or the place. Right now is my time to be me.

“Did you die on me, Just?”

I laugh softly at her concern but I’ve been still for the last fifteen minutes, my eyes closed, breathing slowly.

“Yes. Just enjoying.”

“Good.” she says before continuing on.

Twenty minutes later, I finally realize she’s stopped her actions and I must have dozed off. I pry my eyes open, looking up at her smiling face and she’s just watching me. My body already feels loose and well rested in just that short amount of time and I know it’s all because of her. Now I know you’re thinking I could get a ‘professional’ massage from whomever I please but this is completely different on so many levels.

“You can stretch out on the bed and we can order a movie if you want.”

I nod, sitting up as she does the same. I take a moment to raise my hands over my head, stretching a little as my shirt rides up over my stomach. I see her eyeing me and I raise my eye at her in question but I know that I can’t keep a straight face and instantly burst into a laugh.

I walk up to her, hands around her waist and I pull her tightly against me again but put enough distance so that I can see her face, my nose scrunching up goofily as our foreheads touch. She’s already laughing at my silly antics and it takes me a second not to crack a joke.

“I’m glad you’re here. I’ve missed you.” I say softy, meaning it.

My statement surprises her a little bit but touches her all at the same time. “You needed me. That’s why I’m here.”

I don’t know what I did to deserve someone like her in my life but I’m thankful I found her. She’s not like other girls. She doesn’t attack my body, begging me for sex or throw her own in front of me, teasing and waiting with want. It’s all simple and drama free. No strings, no questions. Yes we touch, and I’ve even kissed her a few times, just small pecks and tiny busses,  but  it’s never gone further then that. It’s all about comfort and the carefree closeness she gives me.  

“You’re amazing, you know that?” I ask, tucking a strand of her curly brown hair behind her ear.

Her eyelashes blink prettily at me. “Why little ol’ me? I’ve waited so long for you to say those words to me, Justin Timberlake.” She mocks.

“Oh that’s it.” I say eyeing her. She pulls away once she sees mischief in my eyes and begins running towards the bed.

Her laughter echoes through the hotel room as I finally catch her as she runs around the bed, trying to escape me. Once I catch her, I toss her carefully on to the bed, my laughter mixing in with hers and straddle her body.  She looks up at me, chest heaving heavily as I hold her arms at her sides. I let go of one, fingers digging into her stomach and tickling her. Her giggles instantly erupt again as she moves from side to side, trying to escape my grasp on her.

“Uncle.” she calls out, trying to break free, using her one arm to try and push me off of her.

I finally give in, stopping my actions but not moving off of her.

“That was just cruel.” I say.

She rolls her eyes a little, arms crossing over her chest because she’s mad she was defeated. “What did I do? I was feeding your ego, you silly boy.”

I give her a half grin, hand reaching down to move her hair from her eyes so she can see. “Uh huh. I bet you were.”

She looks at me innocently before I feel her shove against my chest and in an instant, I’m on my back, now looking up at her sitting in my lap. I look up at her, stunned.

“It’s not nice to doubt me, Just.”

“I never do, sweetheart.” I tell her, because really I never have.

You see, she always knows exactly what to say to me to make sense of things. And then there are times when I don’t want to speak about work or anything else so I’ll listen to her tell me about her life. She’s been through a lot in such a short time. We’re about the same age but the difference between her life and mine is that she hasn’t lived hers in front of a microscope.

She’s just a normal woman, from a small down in the south and she works, has friends and a family and her own place and lives a pretty normal life. That’s the one thing I need in mine-- normalcy.

I wonder at times what I’d be like if I had never joined MMC and stayed at home, went to college and married some typical girl. I think about coming home from a nine to five job everyday and having my kids attack me with hugs and kisses and greeting my wife in between her making dinner for all of us.

Now she’s not married but she’s had boyfriends before but they’ve never treated her right and in some ways, it hurts me. She’s gorgeous, talented, sweet, loving. I can’t understand what guy wouldn’t want to be with her. I’d be lying if I said I’ve never thought about what it’d be like to take things a little further with her but I care about her too much to do that. I refuse to be that guy who can’t be there for her like she needs, and love her like she deserves. Basically, I can’t be there for her like she is for me. In so many ways, it’s all one big giant ball of unfair.

I don’t know how she does it, other then the fact that she has a pretty mobile career as a writer but all I have to do is call her and she’s here. Thankfully, after a pretty stressful week on tour, we happened to be a few states away from her and I called her spending about two hours complaining about this and that until she promised me she’d have a room at the next hotel stop. I didn’t even have to beg. She just knew. I swear, it’s a gift of hers.

Anyways, back to the now.

She’s looking down at me, playfulness etched all over her porcelain features as I anticipate her next move. She finally relents, hands on her hips.

“What do you want to do?”

“You’re doing it.”

She looks at my questioningly, trying to keep a straight face. “You want me to straddle you?”

I let out a small gust of laughter. “Well now that you mention it..”

Her eyes roll, knowing I’m joking. “Whatever, Justin.”

I look up at her, face somber and serious as my hands go to the exposed flesh of her tanned legs. Her eyes trail to my hands and suddenly she’s silent, smile no longer there.

“You know you’re gorgeous, so stop it.”

She shrugs a little, brushing off my statement. “If you say so. Do want to watch a movie still or what? I could order a pizza.”  she says, climbing off of me.

I sit up, upset that she‘s just brushing this off. I feel this strong urge to make sure she knows exactly what I was getting at. She’s standing in front of the TV, fiddling around with the remote and viewing the pay-per-view movies the hotel provides. I grab the remote from her hands easily, tossing it to the bed across the room. She turns to look at me, question looming large.

“You don’t want to watch a movie?” she asks.

I shake my head, taking a step closer to her. “Nope. Not right now.”

She looks around the room nervously. “Okay..”

I take another step closer. “You need to know something. First of all, you are beautiful. I don’t want you to ever doubt yourself again. You have to be one of the most amazing people I’ve ever met. You care for people, you’re paitient, you’re kind, you’re sensitive, sexy, sophisticated. You listen to people with not only your ears but with your heart. You give honest, helpful advice. You’re the entire package. You’ve got the softest hair I’ve ever felt in my life and don’t tell my girlfriend this but you’re body is amazing. Any guy would be lucky to be with you, to wake up with you in their arms every morning.”

She’s standing there, lip nervously between her teeth. Any normal girl I’d expect to maybe burst into tears, maybe even come at me with some kind of sexual ploy but not her. I can see that deep down, she’s a little surprised but touched at the same time.

“Thank you.” she says, her voice cracking a little bit.

“You’re welcome. Don’t forget it.” I say placing a small kiss on her cheeke. “Now, how about that movie?”

She smiles a little, going back to the bed and reaching for the remote.

I take this opportunity to plop back down on the middle of the large king size bed, leaning against the head of it and adjusting the several pillows to make myself comfortable. She brigns up the movie menu, handing me the remote to choose. I frown as she takes a seat at the edge of the bed on the farthest side of me.

“Why are you so far away?” I ask.

She shrugs a little. “I don’t know.”

I laugh, missing her being close to me already. “Well come over here. I’m not going to bite you.”

She slowly scoots across the bed until shes beside me as I finally pick a movie as the opening credits start up. I slide down on the bed so I’m laying down, head propped up on the pillows as I pull her against me, her back to my chest, my arms wrapping around hers. I feel her instantly relax as a soft sigh escapes her lips. Her hands go over my arms, holding me too and I know that all of her insecurities are gone.

That’s the thing I love about her. If only just for a little bit, I don’t have to worry about who I am. I can pretend that maybe I’m just a normal guy and that to me is a beautiful thing. I feel like maybe I’m meeting up with a friend, perhaps a love interest and I’m just fine with the closeness and the lack of drama and stress in the air. If I wanted to vent about the shit that went on this week, I know she’d listen to every word I said, making her own comments as I went along, making me laugh at her snide remarks or nod in approval at the words of wisdom she chose to give me. It may not be the most recreational away to go about things but I’ve come to realize that nothing in this world is perfect.

As much as I hate some of the things that come along with my career, she always remindes me of the all of the good. The wonderful things too. There are times where I find myself feeling a little guilty for this, for spending random moments with her in different hotel rooms, different cities, and the fact that she will just drop whatever she has to be with me. Then there are moments like these when we’re wrapped up in each other, watching a movie with no conversation needed and that’s when I know that this doesn’t just mean a lot to me, but to her also.

Somewhere along the road, our paths crossed and I believe that she was sent to me to get me through this crazy thing we call life and I was sent to her for reasons that only she knows. One day I’m determined to find out exactly what those reasons are even though I’m pretty sure I know.

Because I know as much as she helps heal me, I think I help heal her too. 

Chapter 2 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

Okay so I started this as a shorty a little over a year ago and was re-reading it the other night, along with the reviews and people had requested a longer story so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm not sure how many chapters it will be but hopefully I'll cover all the bases I have outlined! 

Let me know what you guys think!

You Get Me Through
Chapter 2.

It's been one of the most stressful months of my life. Back to back shows, repeating the same process every night, dancing singing, dancing singing. I've also been helping other artists produce songs on the side too so whatever free time I can squeeze in on my off days from the tour, I'm cooped up inside a studio. My body aches, my eyes are always heavy and I swear one of these nights I'm going to fall asleep on stage during one of my slow songs. Tonight is just another moment of the same process as I come off stage, dripping with sweat and peeling off my clothes. My mind has been on nothing but finding my way to my bed the moment my feet hit the tour buss. We've got a long drive for the next day and a half and I have every intention of using it to sleep my ass off. Once I reach my dressing room, I quickly shower, and nod politely and pass small ‘hello's' and ‘good-nights' to the members of the crew and dancers that are scattered out aimlessly around the arena.

Normally, my body would be on an endorphin high and I wouldn't be able to sleep. Instead I'd stay up bullshitting with my dancers or part of my crew and end up for half of the night. Tonight that's not the case. I set my backpack down on the leather couch of the buss, kicking off my tennis shoes and making my way to the back of the buss to my bedroom. I begin peeling off my clothes until I'm left in the comfort of my boxers and throw myself down lazily, pulling the covers up around me. My eyes are heavy and I can feel myself slowly sinking into the mattress, easily getting used to the feeling of being still. I'm just about ready to drift off into the land of unconsciousness when my phone I tossed on the night stand starts to ring loudly, waking me from the brink of slumber. I sigh in frustration, reaching for the stupid device while answering it, still half awake.

"Hello?" I breathe into the phone.

I swallow any rude remarks as the sound of my girlfriends voice comes floating through my ears. It's been a while since we've talked and I've missed her. She fills me in on what she's been up to with filming some movie she's staring in, about all the amazing people she's met and how beautiful the weather is wherever she's at. By now, I'm half asleep from listening to her go on and on about something that happened on set the other day with so and so and I swear she doesn't stop talking for a least thirty minutes before she finally asks me how the tour's been going. I'm already on edge, wanting nothing more than to just pretend we got disconnected and toss my phone across the room and finally go to sleep but I know I'm better than that. I love her. It's good to hear her voice.

I let her know it's going well and that the fans are eating it up every night and almost every show has been sold out. I tell her about the artists I've been working with and the plans I'm making for the coming year. It's not long before she interrupts me, which I absolutely hate by the way, but instead of reminding her, I lay my phone on ear, carefully rolling to my side and shutting my eyes. I try to add my share of ‘uh huh' and ‘oh that's cool' every now and then to make her think I'm paying attention but really, sleep is the only thing on my mind now. I have no idea how much time has actually passed until I hear her repeating my name over and over again.

"Justin? Are you even listening to me?"

I try to play this cool. "Yeah, I'm here babe. I'm just.. I'm really tired that's all."

"Well if you didn't want to talk, you should have said something." She snides back.

I sigh, in no mood to argue with her. Especially when she's how many billion miles away from me. I hate arguing. I try to avoid it at all costs. It's honestly so pointless with her.

"Babe, stop it. I'm just really tired. We've been doing the show every night for an entire week. I'm just wiped out."

I wait a second for her to respond, almost holding my breath, hoping she doesn't lash out.

"Well then I guess I'll just let you go. Call me back when it's convenient for you Justin."

I roll my eyes even though she can't see me because really, she can be so gullible sometimes.

"Steph, don't be like this. You know I love yo-," But I don't even get the chance to respond because she's already hung up on me. I pull my phone back, starting at it bewildered. I can't believe she hung up on me. It's definitely not the first time but damn. All because I didn't listen to her ramble on and on about some shit that was nowhere relevant to me.

I wonder how long this is going to continue like this- our conversations short and focused mainly on her. I guess it's too much to ask for my girlfriend to understand that I'm exhausted and just want to sleep. We had discussed her coming out onto the tour for a few days but I'm sure that will just be a blast, if it even happens and if not, I'll have to listen to her complain about how I'm not making and effort to see her. Ugh, this night just keeps getting better and better.

It's been over a month since I've seen her and a while since we've talked last and she has to choose now to let her ‘better' sides come out. I tell myself that distance doesn't make this relationship any better at all because well, honestly it doesn't. It's really freaking hard sometimes. I do miss having her beside me when I go to sleep at night, waking up to her every morning, making love to her, having her face across the table at breakfast and just being with her. It's a rare moment for us when things are sane though. She's always off working on some new project and well, the same goes for me. Our relationship hasn't always been the best but we make it work somehow, without tonight being counted into the mix. Tonight was just typical.

I roll over on my back, one hand sliding over my face and I close my eyes. I just need to forget about all of this. All I want to do is sleep. Sleep.. now..please. I'm still for about fifty seconds before someone raps on door, once again waking me from my almost sleep.

"Yo J, you awake?"

I pull the covers off myself about ready to blow a fuse only to open the door to see my driver Zach standing there.

"What's up?" I ask, biting my lip.

"Looks like we got a flat tire. If they can't fix it by tonight we might have to switch buses."

Are you freaking kidding me?

"Damn. Is that going to affect the schedule?" I ask, mentally hoping they can fix the damn tire.

"I hope not. They're trying to get a new one now. I was just letting you know in case. It'll have to be a pretty quick switch though if we can't."

"Okay, thank for letting me know. Keep me posted. I'm gonna go try to catch some Z's while I can though, alright?" I say, hoping he'll just leave.

"Got it." He says, and with that he walks away. Ah! Finally.

I resume my spot on my bed reaching to turn my phone down to low. God for bid I turn the damn thing off and someone try to get a hold of me and I not answer, they'd probably send out a fucking search party. I shut the light off above the bed and am confident that this time, I might actually fall into the state of oblivion.

Yes sweet sleep.

I roll over for what feels like the hundredth time looking at the small alarm clock on the bedside stand. I've been laying here for forty-five minutes and I'm still not asleep yet. I know I'm tired, exhausted for Pete sake but here I am, still conscience. My mind is on overload and I wish like hell that it would just shut up. I prop myself up on the pillows more, running a hand tiredly though my hair. I sigh, reaching for my phone, making sure I haven't missed anything. I scroll through my contacts knowing exactly who my fingers will land on and don't even hesitate to press the send button.

I mentally scan my memory, wondering where she told me she'd be this week. My thoughts are quickly forgotten as a soft voice picks up the phone.

"Hello?" She asks, her voice light and sleepy.

"Hey you. Did I wake you up?"

I can hear her yawn and a smile forms on my lips instantly.

"Mmm. I was watching a movie and I guess I dozed off. What's up Just?"

I don't know why but I love it when she calls me that. I actually get annoyed when someone else tries to do it because it's her thing. I'm weird like that but it means something to me coming from her and only her. It's comforting to me somehow.

"I'm tired as hell and can't for the life of me fall asleep. I was just seeing what you were up to."

"Ugh, that's the most annoying thing. Have you tried counting sheep?" She says, snickering quieltly.

I chuckle. "Actually I have. It didn't work for shit."

"Well dangit. Uh warm milk, sleeping pills?"

"Not really accessible on the bus babe." I tell her but I know if I really needed it, I'd find a way to get it. Yeah, I'm a cocky ass like that.

"Oh I didn't know you were on the bus. Everything on the tour going okay so far?"

I know it sounds silly, but that right there, having her ask the simplest things means so damn much to me. I love how she doesn't press the issue, asking if there is more to my insomnia. She doesn't ask about Steph, knowing that 99% of the time, she's reason for my bad mood. I smile even bigger, just like I always do when I talk to her. She doesn't interrupt me and go on into some pointless story that I didn't ask to hear. She's just simple, carefree. It's one of the many things I love about her.

"It's been pretty good. Most of the shows have been sold out and I've been producing in my non-existent free time. Busy but good. I'm basically a working robot."

She laughs softly again. "Justin Timberlake? Never." She knows me all too well.

"Yeah yeah. So how's work?"

"Good. Things have been pretty light lately. I'm enjoying being able to breathe after last month."

"And you, yourself?" I urge.

"I'm fine, Justin." She says, not dishing out anything else.

"You promise?"

"Yes, I promise. Cross my heart."

I laugh. "Good. You better be."

"Yeah yeah," she mocks me. "are you getting tired yet?"

I roll over on my side again, trying to get comfortable.

"Not really. I enjoy talking to you."

"That's sweet Just, but don't you think you need sleep?" She's always looking out for me.

"Trust me. I've tried. I'm just.. I don't know what I am."

"You just need a good massage or something."

My eyes perk up. "Are you offering?" I ask because she honestly gives the best damn back massages. What I'd give to have one right now.

"Next time I visit, you got it."

I try to remember the states we'll be in this week.

"When's that Carebear?"

She's silent for a second. "When do you want me there Justin?"

Her voice is cool and calm, not like she feels obligated to come to me. She never makes me feel like that.

"Whenever it's good for you, babe. I think we'll be in Virginia by tomorrow morning."

"If you need me Justin, I'll get there."

I'm silent for a second, biting my lip to keep from answering right away and seeming so desperate. I should feel guilty about this but I honestly don't. My girlfriend knows she exists, knows that we're close friends but that's pretty much the extent of it. I don't think she'd take to kindly if she knew about her frequent visits. I think back to our earlier conversation and how lovely that ended and I don't waste another beat giving her my answer.

"I do. It'd mean a lot to me."

"Okay. I'll have to check for a flight in a little bit but I'll let you know, okay?"

"Don't be silly. I can book you a flight." I tell her because she's coming out here for me. Why should she have to pay?

"Justin, I'm a big girl. I can book my own flight."

I sigh. We've been through this same conversation plenty of times before.

"I know you're a big girl Caroline. Just let me do this for you okay?"

She lets out a small sigh and I know I've won her over.

"Okay fine. But don't book me a damn first class ticket again. I don't need all that."

"Girl, everyone deserves the first class experience. Don't argue." I chide gently.

"Okay, whatever. Just let me know details. Think you can get to sleep now?"

I'm about to protest when a yawn interrupts me and we both laugh together.

"I think it's a possibility."

"Good. See you soon Justin."

"Night Carebear. I'll see you soon. I love you."

"Love you too, Justin. Sleep well."

And with that, I hear the line go dead. A sense of calmness and ease rushes over me as once again toss my phone on the night stand and readjust my covers. Sometimes, all it takes is one person for things to just fall into place.

Chapter 3 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

Another Chapter!! Thank you soooo much to everyone who reads this and reviews :)

You Get Me Through
Chapter 3.


I take a deep breath, trying to relieve some of the tension in my body as I wait for the elevator to reach the lobby floor. I adjust my purse on my shoulder, tightening my grasp on my suitcase as the doors ding open and I step in side. I retrieve the key that was left for me a the front desk and slide it into the slot by the numbers, allowing me access to the penthouse floor. I lean against the railing, watching the numbers go up and lean my head forward. Elevators always did make me a little dizzy. My body is a little tired from traveling but I take a deep breath, filling my lungs with air and regaining some energy. I'm here for a reason. I'm here because Justin needs me.

The elevator finally meets my destination as I step out, tucking my hair behind my ears, adjusting my luggage and make my way to the end of the dimly lit hallway. I stop in front of one of the five penthouses on this floor and knock easily. It's late so I hope he's still awake. I had intended to come earlier but something came up and not wanting to break my promise, took a later flight.

I'm here though. That's all that matters right?

I get no answer so I knock again, this time a little louder and I ponder the idea of just using the key he left for me but this is still Justin's room. I don't want to interrupt...anything. I'm about to put my key to use when the door slowly swings open and the site that meets me instantly sends pain to my chest.

Justin is standing there, shirtless, in a pair of black basketball shorts, eyes red and puffy, and a half empty bottle of Jack Daniels clutched to his right hand. As good looking as he naturally is, he looks like shit right about now.

He stands back, allowing me entry and I walk in cautiously, looking around the room and making sure that no one else is here. I set my purse and bags down in the small entry way and instantly turn to him but before I can get two words out he's standing in front of me, pulling me into his arms, his hands now empty. I'm slightly overwhelmed by the light woodsy scent that can only belong to Justin, mixed with the distinct whiff of alcohol. His face is buried in my hair, breathing in slowly and I just let him do this for a few minutes.

He said he needed me. Apparently he wasn't lying.

My hands run easily up and down the warm expanse of his back, feeling his skin shiver in the process. Finally it's too much and I pull back a little, meeting his haggard features.

"What's going on Justin?"

He let's out a soft breath of air but he doesn't let go of me. "Everything's just falling to shit Carebear. Everything."

I smile at his very own nick name for me but am aware that he still has yet to answer my question.

"Why don't we start from the top."

He pulls away abruptly and goes into the living room of the suite and grabs a magazine before tossing it at me and throwing himself down on the couch. I look at him curiously. My eyes land on a very clear photo of his girlfriend looking really cozy with another male actor. I don't really read the small paragraph underneath it but I can quickly point out words like ‘fling' and ‘love affair' and don't miss the distinct question at the end of ‘Is her romantic bliss with Timberlake over?'

I bite my lip, carefully going to sit down beside Justin on the couch.

"Just, do you really think she's cheating? You know Steph loves the hell out of you."

He doesn't miss a beat before I hear him scoff, rolling his eyes and looking away from me.

"Wouldn't doubt it." He confesses.

I shake my head. "Justin, this is bull. You know how tabloids are. They can take the most innocent photo and run with it and make up some line of bullshit."

He looks at me, blinking owlishly. "Yeah Care, I know but it's like.. Steph, she's talked about this guy before. I swear every time we talk, she always finds a way to mention him. I get that their friends and everything but that picture looks like a lot more than just friends." He shakes his head, looking at me sadly. "And when I talk to her, she's just... I don't know. She's different."

"When was the last time you saw her?"

"It's been.. like over a month and a half maybe?"

Okay so that's pretty damn long.

"Okay, that's a long time. Is she coming out on tour?"

He looks back at me, his face falling as he reaches for the bottle again, taking a big gulp and wincing a little as the liquid burns down his throat.

"Yeah right. She's been working on a movie. Anything to use as an excuse."

"Hey, you know the business you're in doesn't make it easy."

"No shit."

My eyes widen a little at the sharp tone in his words. He usually keeps his temper at bay around me, thought I can say easily that I've seen him lose his cool plenty of times.

"Have you tried calling her?" I ask, trying to reach for the bottle from him. He doesn't need to get shitfaced. He'll hate himself tomorrow when he has to perform for a hour and a half under blazing hot lights.

"Yeah and like I said.. somethings just off. I just have this feeling..." He trails off, looking around the room.

"Justin.. just trying not to think about if for now okay? Why don't you go lay down, huh? Get some sleep. Maybe you'll feel better in the morning."

I hope he takes this suggestion. Drunk Justin can be a very very bad thing and I honestly don't know if I'm prepared to deal with that right now.

He looks towards the door of what I'm assuming is the bedroom and begins to stand but wobbles and ends up right back on the couch. I laugh slightly, hoping he doesn't hear me as I stand and reach a hand out to him. He takes it quickly, and trying again. His body is heavy as he leans against my five foot seven inch frame. I quickly grab the bottle from him and place on on the wet bar against the wall just to the left of the living room.

In spite of the situation, I'm just a little overwhelmed with the warm heat of him against me and the overwhelming scent that he gives off. He always smells so good and even though I'm helping his strongly buzzed if not drunk self to his bedroom, I can't help but feel safe by it. I laugh softly to myself hoping he doesn't notice.

"What?" He asks, looking at me confused.

I shake my head. "Nothing. It's just that.. you smell good."

He tries to smile a little, amused by it even though it's definitely not the first time he's heard it.

"Thanks. I love it when you tell me that."

I shake my head as we continue our stumbled journey.

We make it to the bedroom thankfully in one piece as I kick the already half open door, and set him on the side of the bed. I pull his arm up and over my shoulders where it was draped around and go to step back but his hand catches mine softly as bloodshot blue eyes look back at me pleadingly.

"Will you stay with me Carebear?" He asks and I hesitate a second before he adds a desperate "Please?" to the question.

I think for a second, knowing very well that there is another bedroom in this room, not to mention that the couch is fine with me but I know what already what my mind is telling me and I know exactly what I'm going to tell him.

"Alright. I just need to go put on something to sleep in."

He still hasn't let go of my hand yet, holding on to it desperately like a life line.

"You can sleep in one of my t-shirts." He tells me nodding to his huge suitcase in the corner of the room.

I give in, walking over to the corner of the room, digging through the massive pile he has. I pull out something that's light blue and disappear into the bathroom thats connected. I quickly pull my tank top and jean shorts from my body, replacing it with his shirt and my senses are hit hard once again when the smell of Justin comes over me. I curse at my reflection in the mirror, knowing that if i were to go get all my crap out of my suitcase to wash my face, it'd add at least another twenty five minutes to his waiting and I don't want to do that. I make my way out of the bathroom only to find Justin rolled to one side, the lights in the room at the dimmest setting. He's got the covers pulled back, waiting for me and look down at the t-shirt I'm wearing and suddenly like I need to add a little to my wardrobe. The shirt hits my thighs but can't help but feel like my body is overly exposed.

I remind myself this is Justin and that I will be fine. He's never crossed that line. He'd never hurt me.

I crawl in slowly as I turn on my side to meet him looking back at me through glassy eyes. He moves closer and I open my arms, allowing him to take up that space. His head is instantly pillowed on my chest as I use the opportunity to run my fingers through his hair. He shivers at the contact like he always does and I don't miss the soft puff of air that escapes his lips. He's starting to relax.

"It's going to be okay, Jus. It'll all blow over. Just try not to think about it."

"I'm trying Caroline. Trust me. I just have this feeling. Something doesn't feel right."

I really have no idea what to tell him because I myself am not sure of this. Stephanie is an interesting person. She's very Hollywood if I were to explain her. There are times when I honestly don't know what Justin sees in her besides her looks. Sure shes gorgeous but shes not like us. She's not from the south, doesn't know how to just let go of drama and enjoy life. I swear with her, it's always something. There are times when I have no idea what Justin sees in her but I never ask him that because I see the way he looks at her. He loves her and if he's happy, that's enough for me.

"You're just thinking way to much into it. Wait until tomorrow morning and call her and straighten it out. You know tabloids love to run with whatever they can get Justin. Don't beat yourself up over a story. She'd have to be crazy to cheat on you in the first place."

He turns his chip up, meeting my eyes with a grin lazily dancing across his lips.

"You really are the best, you know."

I smile back winking at him for good measure as I begin to massage the tight muscles of his shoulders. He lets out a low rumble from deep in the back of his throat and I can feel his body melt into mine with relaxation. We speak quietly for the next fifteen minutes as he asks me about back home, how my family is doing and how things are with work. I'm sure he's desperate to talk about anything to take away the nagging thoughts in his mind and honestly, I don't mind.

We reminisce on times when we were younger, before he made it big and his random trips home to Tennessee for Holidays, when he could find the free time to make it there. He laughs quietly against me, sending a rumble through my chest and I can't help but smile myself, remembering those times and pleased at the same time that he's in a better mood.

Once I'm done with his shoulders, my nails trail down the path of his back, running up and down the expanse of his spine. He shivers instantly but doesn't tell me to stop. I know this relaxes him because he tells me all the time. This thing with him and I could easily be clarified as weird. I don't even know how to put a word on it exactly so I don't really try to define it. With Justin, it simply is what it is. He needs a break from real life, from all the drama, the gossip, to work so I give it to him and he gives whatever it may be to me back just as much.

We just.. I really can't even tell you. We click. We're friends. Close friends. We've been through a lot together. Maybe one day I'll have the courage to clarify all of that.

He turns a little so he's draped halfway over my side, his stomach now against me and the mattress. My hands come to a still at the base of his neck as he looks up at me, eyes still a little red and hazy but he looks... finally relaxed. Better. A lot better than when I opened the door a few hours ago.

He's got this weird look though. One that I can't even really specify. He looks....confused maybe?

"I'm really glad you're here Caroline. I mean really."

I smile and nod. "It's not a big deal Justin. You needed me."

I'm not really prepared as he leans down closer to me, softly busing my forehead before he places a small kiss there. My eyes close instantly, taking in how gentle he is. He pulls back, just studying me for a few moments. I know he's seen all of me, scars and all so my confusion begins to grow as he continues. He doesn't speak, just looking back at me, taking in the features of my face. Normally that would make me uncomfortable but I remind myself that this is Justin.

I'm taken aback when his head dips down again, only this time his lips land on mine, soft and confident. My first reaction is to remind him who he's kissing, to make sure he's sober and aware of what he's doing but then I think back to all of the times where he's kissed me before. Just simple kisses. It's how we show our love for people right? His lips are warm and soft and I can hardly taste the faintest trace of alcohol as he sips at my lips. I expect him to pull away seconds later but am not prepared as he moves back, only to come back down again and this time, his lips linger.

My heart begins to thud loudly at the initial reality of what he's doing and I curse myself for enjoying it but I don't have time to think as he pulls away, rolling off of me and onto his side as he buries his face in my neck, breath fanning against my skin and one of his arms wraps loosely around my waist. I fight away the urge to remind him of what he just did. He's not a cheater, has never been one and I'm wondering why he'd choose now to start. A kiss isn't really cheating, right? We're friends.

No, you see... Justin's always the one that gets cheated on. He knows how bad it hurts. I've seen it in his eyes first hand.

He's nestled up beside me and I use this opportunity to get more comfortable and drape and arm over his back, still feeling my lips tingle from his kiss. I tell myself it meant nothing. He was just showing gratitude. Love for a friend.

It's quiet for a second because I honestly have no idea what to say right now. I can feel his breathing slow down a little as I feel the vibrations in his chest as he speaks quietly against me.

"You know Carebear, sometimes," He trails off a little. "sometimes I wonder why you're so good to me."

As he speaks, I can feel his lips moving ever so slightly against the skin of my neck as I will myself not to react to it. It's not right, this is Justin for pete sake.

I try to smile and think of something to say back to him but in all honesty, I know that he's not the only one who wonders about this because deep down, I know theirs been times where I've questioned it myself. I push the thoughts to the way side as I tighten my grasp on him, closing my eyes and hoping he'll do the same because right now, I don't really want to get into this. I don't want to question it, define it, ask myself why. I just... need some sleep. Yeah, that's it. Sleep.

Chapter 4 by Mel514
Author's Notes:
Another chapter. I promise this story is moving.. I have new ideas every day ;) Thanks to those of you who are reading. Reviews are nice :)
You Get Me Through
Chapter 4.

I feel... like I can breathe today. There's something about waking up next to someone who's got your back no matter what that just eases all the shit going on in my life. I know a few days ago, I was a wreck but having my best friend show up meant the world to me. Caroline has been on tour with me for about three days now and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

All the shit with Steph... well let's just say I'm trying not to think about it. I've talked to her every day since the night after Caroline showed up and she still denies any wrong doing but I've still got that feeling. For now, I try to just brush it off. I'd drive myself crazy if I sat around and worried about it. Which brings me back to the other female in my life, which to some would say is odd. I mean i've introduced her as my best friend from back home to my crew and they all nod along in acceptance but I really don't get their weird ass smiles they give me when I talk about her. Care and I are friends. I don't think she's ever given me the impression that she's looked at me as more than that.

But yeah, I've actually had some time off so we've been spending time shopping, playing video games, basically just shooting the breeze whenever possible. She's been to my shows every night since she's got here and for some reason, her impute and support for what I do goes a long way. Even though she's seen me on stage before, she's always got something new to say, new comments or compliments, random parts she likes better than others. Having her around is a breath of fresh air and honestly, I have no idea what I've done to deserve her.

But moving on from my radome reverie of the past few days. I'm backstage, getting dressed and ready for tonight's show and she's been popping in and out of my dressing room, having been on the phone with her editor taking care of some business.

"You're hair is a little out of place, Timberlake. We might have to cancel the show."

I hear her voice as she walks into the room, blackberry in her hand. I turn and look at her with wide eyes, hand clutched to my chest.

"WHAT? Please tell me you're joking. I cannot leave this room with my hair out of place!" I mock and she laughs.

"We can't have an arena only half full of screaming girls wanting to have your babies."

I laugh and shake my head, as I pull on my dress shirt over the tank top I'm already wearing. I turn to look at her and wink in a cocky manner, feeding our long running joke.

"Baby, you know that'd never happen. The ladies can't get enough of this."

She rolls her eyes back at me and plops down on the couch in the corner of the room.

"It's a good thing I know the real you or else you'd really be a cocky jackass."

I look back at her hurt, sticking my lip out and pouting. "You love me."

She tries to keep a straight face but it eventually breaks into a smile.

"You're right. We still going out tonight after the show?"

"Yeah that's the plan. The guys are really excited your coming." I tell her, pulling on the gray jacket that completes my outfit. We've been talking about it for a few days now and tonight seemed to work the best with scheduling. Nothing pressing is going on this weekend and I think we both could use a night out to just blow off some steam.

She blinks her eyelashes flirtatiously. "Excited about little ol' me?"

Sometimes, she's seriously modest about herself. She's all naturally beauty. Nothing on her is fake, her hair is still the color she was born with and if I haven't stressed it enough, she's got one of the best hearts out there.

"Shut it Carebear. You know you're gorgeous. You just wait and see how many guys are all over you tonight."

She opens her mouth to say something back, probably sarcastic if I were to guess but someone raps on the door letting me know that I've got ten minutes till show time. I take one more glance in the mirror, nodding in approval and smiling as Caroline's face comes into the view of my mirror. I turn around and take in her standing their, arms crossed and dressed in a pair of faded jeans and a black tank top.

"You still got it Jus. Break a leg tonight, okay?"

I smile at her, wrapping her in a big hug and holding her against me. Her arms come apart and I feel them settle on the small of my back. I lean forward, pressing a soft kiss on her forehead and don't miss how her blue eyes slid shut and open back up to look at me. I smile instantly creeps on my lips and I don't know what it is but whenever she's around, I'm always in a good mood. She just has this thing about her...

I swear it's only sixty seconds that goes by but she's got this curious look on her face and I want nothing more than to know what she's thinking.

"What's wrong?"

She shakes her head, as if clearing out the cobwebs from her mind.

"Nothing. You were just.. looking at me funny."

I raise an eyebrow. "Funny?"

"Yeah. Like you were the other night when you asked me to sleep in your bed. You just..got this look on your face and then-..."

She trails off and I'm growing more curious by the second.

"And then what?"

Her face falls and she bites her lip for a second. "Nothing Jus. You better get going."

Okay, so I'm even more curious now.

"No, tell me." I say, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

She takes a deep breath as if she's gotta build up the courage to say it and for some reason I can feel my palms start to sweat. That hands that were on my back have fallen and are now hanging at her sides but I myself haven't moved. Something tells me not to. I try to do a run down of the night she first got here and mentally curse myself, hoping I didn't do or say something in my depressive state. I remember I was drinking but I swear I knew what the hell was going on.

I have a small notion of what she might be referring to but clearly it couldn't be that.

She takes another deep breath and looks up at me through thick eyelashes.

"You ki-."

And right when she gets out the first syllable, my tour manager pops his head inside my door.

"Come on Justin. Show time in five minutes. They're waiting for you."

I nod at him, quietly cursing under my breath as he exits the room. What the hell was she going to say? Whatever it is, it sounds serious and it'd kill me if I did something to fuck up our friendship. She means way to much to me. I try to give her that goofy flirtatious smile that I do that always seems to make her laugh and it doesn't fail me this time. Her hand comes up to my cheek, thumb moving across it smoothly.

"Get going Mr. Pop star. Your fans are waiting."

I nod, already feeling a void as her hand drops from my face. I really want to stay here and talk to her. Curl up together on the couch and figure out what the hell she was going to tell me.

"Tonight." I say, leaning in again and busing her forehead.

She winks at me, trying to look confident and self assured but I know whatever is going through her mind has her thoughts in a whirlwind. I used to be able to read her at the flip of a switch but right now I'm not feeling so confident. She's matured a lot ever the years because she's had to so reading her isn't always that easy anymore. Tonight...tonight I'll get to the bottom of this.

Chapter 5 by Mel514
Author's Notes:
I am lacking on sleep so excuse me if I have overlooked errors. lol 

You Get Me Through
Chapter 5.

I move through the dark club, the music so loud that I can feel my feet vibrating against the floor and I pull my hat just a little lower, trying to blend in as well as I can. I'm late, as usual so I had told Caroline and the rest of the crew to just go ahead without me and that I'd meet them later. Stupid bullshit rules and safety procedures about always having security with me. She didn't seem to have a problem with it, just nodding and going with the flow like she always does.

I'm still curious about what happened earlier. So curious that it's been on my mind all night. I'm still trying to rewind the night in my head and I can't think of anything I would have done out the the ordinary. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this.

I move towards the VIP area that I had reserved for all of us and greet all of my dancers and crew, happy to to just kick back for a little bit. I look around, not seeing Caroline.

"Have any of you seen Caroline?"

Some of them nod, pointing out towards the dance floor.

"Last I saw her, she was dancing with some guy." One of them tells me.

I nod, grabbing a beer as the waitress comes over to our area and moving my way towards the dance floor. I think twice, wondering if I should just lay low and hang back with everyone else but decide the hell with it. I came here to have a good time with my friends, Caroline included.

I get to the dance floor, closest to the VIP area and to our group, trying to spot her. I find Mike, one of my dancers before I spot anyone else.

I reach for his shoulder, grabbing his attention and asking him loudly over the blaring music if he's seen Caroline. He nods, a smirk on his face as he points to the left of me. There's a girl with long light brown hair, draped loosely over her shoulders. She's wearing a silk black halter top, cut low enough to accent what little cleavage she has. Her jeans are sitting low on her waist and hug in all the right areas. She's got her back against against a guy and his hands are wrapped around her waist. The way she's moving is just screaming seduction.

I stop, swallowing the lump in my throat and gasp in surprise as they turn around, moving closer to me and Caroline's blue eyes gaze back at me hazy. When in the hell? I had now idea it was her.

The only thing I can think that would form somewhat of a sentence is that she-looks-hot. Now Caroline's always been attractive but it's been forever since I've seen her dressed up like this, trying to seduce and accent her real age. Usually she goes for mature trying to gain respect. An uneasy feeling sweeps over me and settles in the pit of my stomach and I know if I admit what I'm feeling, I'll hate myself even more.

I have a girlfriend. No way in hell am I jealous.

I tip back the beer in my hand, hoping to down it quickly and find something else to drink. Suddenly, getting wasted tonight seems more and more appealing.

I can't take my eyes off my best friend and the random guy dancing. They've turned around now so that she's facing him and her arms are around his neck and his are set on her hips, moving dangerously close to her ass. A part of me wants to charge forward and go pull her away from this asshole who thinks he can just grope her on the damn dance floor but I know much worse goes on in places like this. Hell, I'm a guilty participant.

But this is different. This is my best friend. I'm suppose to protect her right?

I gasp, watching as the guy places one of his thighs between her legs, pulling her even closer to him. Her head tips back and then instantly rolls forward to the crook of his neck as his hands finally meet her back side, fingers spread out over her skin.

I fight the slight tingle that runs through my body, or more particularly to the southern region. This is what happens when I don't see my girlfriend for months at a time. I'm human. I'm bound to get turned on by shit like this, right?

I don't even feel my feet move but before I know it, I'm standing in from of Caroline and the random guy as his head pops up, eyes surprised as the guy looks guilty as hell. I almost feel kind of bad for breaking this up. Almost.

"Justin, when did you get here?" She asks, dropping her hands from the guy as he takes a step back.

I tip my beer up to my lips, finishing it. "Just a little bit ago."

"Oh. You get in without any problems?"

I nod. She's always looking out for me.

I look between her and the guy. "You wanna dance?"

She looks at him as if shes honestly indecisive and then back to me as her lips turn up and she smiles.

"Yeah, if you want."

I reach out, grabbing her hand as I pull her into the crowd, not even giving random dance guy a second glance. I take in her outfit once again and can smell the light breeze of her flowery perfume as my hands settle loosely on her hips.

"You look good Carebear."

She smiles back at me, blue eyes dancing. "Thanks."

"I'm really glad we got to come out tonight. It feels good to let loose."

She nods, settling her arms around my neck just as a slow song comes on and it's a little easier to hear. She looks back at me, laughing slightly and leaning in.

"This feels way too much like some kinda jr. high dance."

I smile back at her, taking in all the features of her face, from the odd shade of blue that her eyes are to the perfectly plump texture of her lips.

Shit. Why am I thinking of her lips? Focus Justin. Focus.

"Things were a lot different back then, huh?"

She nods, not meeting my eyes. I shift my hands up higher over her hips, moving up and settling on the sides of her ribs as I pull her closer to me. Her skin is warm and I try to ignore the tiny goosebumps that form on my arms. I move one of my hands to her chin, gently tipping it up to meet my eyes and I grin back at her, leaning in slightly, trying to let her know I'm trying to be serious.

"About earlier in the dressing room..."

She's quick it interject. "You know what, that was nothing. I don't know wh-."

I shake my head. She's not getting out of this.

"Care, you can tell me. It's me."

"I was just over reading something. Really, it's no big deal."

So this is how it's going to be.

I look down at her, making sure I'm looking right into her eyes, trying to be at her level. Trying to understand.

"Did I do something last week? Because if I made you feel-."

"Justin, really. It's not a big deal. You were upset and lonely and I understand."

My eyebrows raise in slight confusion and it's right now that I think I know.

"Is this about when I kissed you?" I ask, swallowing that lump in my throat that has magically reappeared.

She looks away again and I take my hand for the second time, bringing her eyes back to mine. I need to know how she feels about this before I even try to dissect what I was feeling. Or is it why I am feeling. Shit. This could be bad.

"You remember?" She asks, looking confused. I don't know if I should be hurt by this or not.

I pull back a little, getting a full look of her, just to make sure she's really doubting me. The grasp she has on my neck has loosened and I take the opportunity to pull her more tightly against me, refusing to just let her go like this.

I tuck my face in her neck, quickly running my hands up and down her back. I'm taken completely off guard as someone backs into us, causing my nose and lips to smash into her neck. I pull away slowly, not missing the small goosebumps that have formed on her skin. She tries to pull away.

"I think I'm gonna go get a--."

"Caroline. Come back here." I pull her into my arms again before she can move. She's trying to run from me and from whatever this is and for some reason, my mind is telling me not to let her go. Not yet.

This time I reverse our positions, moving her head to my shoulder and I speak right against her ear.

"I remember okay." I don't even realize my voice has taken a soft tone and I swear I can feel her tremble.

Her head moves back quickly and her eyes are wide, almost guilty but she doesn't move. I lean in closer again. Part from the music that's increasing in sound and partly because I can't seem to not be close to her right now. It's weird. I feel like some kind of force is drawing me to her.

I make sure I've got her attention before I go on.

"I remember it wasn't just one of our typical kisses. I just didn't know what to do about it ya know? We're best friends Carebear."

She blinks once, looking back at me stoically. "Right."

I have to be honest here.

"But I'd also like to know why I can't stop thinking about it. And why you were so freaked out to ask me..."

I trail off as I can feel her heart thudding against my own, probably matching the loud beats. I rest my head on her shoulder again, feeling the smooth skin their.

"I--you have a girlfriend Justin. You can't --."

She stutters a little, not really forming a sentence and I can't stop my lips from softly grazing the skin of her neck. I feel her quiver a little and for some reason, this only causes my lips to turn into a smile, still moving.

"I can't what Carebear? I can't find you sexy?" I ask, my lips moving just below her jaw. "I can't find you attractive and amazing like you are?"

I can feel her sinking into my touch and no matter how hard I try or how wrong this is, I can't pull my lips away.

"Justin.." She trails off.

"What? Am I not allowed to feel something for my best friend, hmm? Someone that's always there for me, someone who's always got my back no matter what? Someone that's so gorgeous but she won't even take the time to realize it because she's so afraid of being hurt again?"

My fingers trail to the end of her halter top, tracing just below where it sits against the middle of her back before I feel warm silky skin against my finger tips.

My lips move below her ear, holding still before my tongue darts out and her whole body shivers. "Do you want me to stop?" I ask, waiting for a response, not even realizing I'm holding my breath.

All I hear is a whimpered protest before I feel her fingers at the base of my head, tangling in my hair and holding my head where it is and still she says nothing.

"Caroline." I breath, lightly smudging my lips against her skin, waiting to go any further. "Tell me what you're thinking."

My head is spinning right now, waiting for her to answer. I can feel the warmth of her breath through the thin fabric of my t-shirt before she pulls back a little.

"Justin.." I hear my name against my ear. She has yet to pull away.

I decide to play evil, bringing my mouth back to her neck, moving up to her ear with dry kisses. It's killing me not knowing what she's thinking. I know shes not drunk. Neither am I.

"Tell me." I breath slightly, but not moving any further.

I can feel her resolve melting as her hands drop to my sides, and she grips the bottom of my shirt in her hands, pulling it tight and causing it to bunch up in her hands. "I want you to kis-."

My body tightens as I hear her speak but before she can finish the sentence, I feel someone come up behind me and tap me slowly.

We pull away quickly, as I look back at whoever it is with an irritated gaze to see Mike again looking like he's in a hurry.

"Justin, did you know your girl was coming tonight?" he asks, looking at the distance between Caroline and I.

I'm confused and quick to defend. "What the hell are you talking about?"

Mike uses the hand that's holding a drink to point towards the entrance of the club.

"Stephanie. She's here right now. We just saw her come in."

My mouth immediately goes dry as I look towards the entrance and then back to Caroline as a nervous feeling settles in the pit of my stomach.

Please tell me this is a joke.

End Notes:
Please do not hate for the sort of cliffhanger. I promise I will move along :)
Chapter 6 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

I don't know where my writing mojo went. This is what came out of it's return. Hopefully it's not short lived. Let me know if you're reading and what you think! 

You Get Me Through

Chapter 6.


I tried to stay away. Once Stephanie got to the club, I reluctantly let go of Justin, knowing that this was his own thing to deal with. I can still remember those pleading blue eyes he looked back at me with, torn between wanting me by his side and the actual shock of his girlfriend randomly showing up. My heart was still beating rapidly in my chest, my mind still hazy with the closeness of my best friend as we danced, his soft confessions that still had little to no meaning, to the tingling sensations he left against my neck, my skin still awake and aware.

But instead of stepping up and being there for him like I always am, I stood back and let him have time with Stephanie, letting him do his own thing and be with her or figure out whatever it was he needed to do, as long as it was on his own. Hell, I didn’t own the man. Knowing him for a majority of my life didn’t give me rights.

So in light of that, I pushed my thoughts away and stayed out with the rest of the crew drinking more than I should have and dancing my thoughts and cares away. Technically I was on vacation so I didn’t see any harm in it other than it wasn’t my normal choice of activity but I refused to go back to the hotel suite that I was sharing with Justin. He and Stephanie left shortly after she got there and he went in search of her. I didn’t actually see them leave because I tried to keep my mind focused on other things. Word spread quickly through the crew even in the noisy club.

I glance blearily at my phone noticing it’s 3:45 in the morning. I continue walking cautiously down the hallway to our room, well Justin’s room and find myself contemplating if I should have taken up one of the dancers and roomed with them for the night. I don’t want to step on any toes and walk in on his time with her, not having a clue what’s going on in there and honestly not wanting to know. I check through my missed calls and see a few from Justin but no voice mails so I assume he’s alright. I reach into my small clutch bag digging for my room key and bite my lip, leaning closely against the door trying to hear something- what I’m not sure but waiting for a sign to go in.

My mind is a little too hazy at the moment to really think clearly and I realize I’m way more tired than I think I am, wanting nothing to get into bed. I take a deep breath and slide my key into the designated slot and quickly pull it out and attempt to turn the nob and instead of the door opening, my elbow slams loudly against the door causing a dull thud to ripple through me, causing me to instantly curse.

“Shit.”  I say, dropping my bag as my other arm begins to rub my pained elbow.

I bend over, ready to retrieve my bag and dropped hotel key before the door opens slowly and I stand up quickly, curious to see who’s staring back at me.

I swallow thickly and nothing, nothing could have prepared me for the blood shot eyes, his haggard body language and the hurt that’s written all over his face. I take a cautious step forward, already alarmed, worried and wanting to know who in the hell did this do him but a little voice inside my head tells me that I already know. Moments like these always come back to her. Something tells me that all of these feelings and ideas he’s had floating around in his head were not just made up. Deep down I think somewhere he knew the truth.

I swallow again, becoming completely awake and alert as I move forward into the hotel room as he slowly backs up so we can shut the door. As soon as I hear it click my breath is stolen from my lungs by the pair of long and muscular arms that wrap themselves around my frame and a damp face is buried against my neck. I feel his body tremble and instantly my heart breaks for him. I wrap my own arms around him, one hand reaching up and running through the soft waves of his hair, my own heart breaking but reassuring him that I’m here. I couldn’t leave even if I tried.

We stand there in the entry way of the hotel room, holding each other for what feels like forever as time ticks by until curiosity gets the best of me and I pull back but don’t release him just yet. My hand lingers on his arm as we walk further into the suite. Every step feels like a Déjà vu of when I first got here and found him broken and depressed nursing the bottle of alcohol. My eyes move towards the couch so we can sit and talk about this but his bare feet keep moving before my hand stops him.

“Don’t you want to talk?” I question, looking at him still dressed in the clothes he wore to the club.

“Yeah, but not in here.” He says, his voice thick as he rubs a hand across his distressed face.

He grabs my hand as we move towards his room and I pull back a little, looking around, asking myself if I should be in his bedroom. I still have no clue what the hell happened between the two of them. Hell, Stephanie could still be in this damn room for all I know.

“She’s not here, Carebear.” He says, reading my mind. “She left a long fucking time ago.”

The anger in his voice doesn’t go missed by me as we move into his bedroom and it looks the same as it did this morning when I talked to him as he got ready to leave for the venue. He lets go of me as he tears his shirt over his head, exposing the rippled muscles of his stomach and I have to shake my head to keep from staring. I’ve seen him shirtless before. I need to get a grip.

“So...,” I say not knowing where to begin. “What happened?” I ask softly hoping I don’t hit a sore spot. Broken Justin is never good.

He takes a deep breath before his hands move to his belt and his jeans begin sliding down his slim hips where he pulls them off before tossing them on the chair across his room.

“It’s over.” He says, his voice almost in monotone. “She said it’d be best for us.”

I look a him confused, knowing there has got to be more to the story.

“Just like that?” I ask cautiously.

He laughs, shaking his head almost as if he can’t believe it himself.

“She said she’d become ‘close’ with some guy on the set of the movie but denied any wrong doing. Meaning she’s already done it. I fucking knew it Care. I just had that feeling. It’s the same god damn story every time. I’m never good enough. They’ve always gotta find someone better apparently. Someone convenient. I guess loving me was just too damn hard.”

And right then and there, I watch my best friend, the boy I’ve watch grow into a man, the one guy that got me through the worst times of my life, nearly crumble to the ground in heartache. I’ve seen this happen before with other girlfriends and each time, it hurts more and more but this by far has to be the most painful out of all of them. I see all of his confidence drain from his face, his body hanging there slack and insecure and my heart breaks right along with him.

I barely blink before I take a deep breath and my feet move quickly, catching him right before he collapses to the ground, his body limp with exhaustion. I hang on to him tight, shushing him, letting him know that I’m here as I remind him for what seems like the millionth time in our friendship how amazing he really is. He buries his head in my neck once again, the muffled sounds of his breathing are mixed with the soft sniffles that he doesn’t want to let out. He never wants to show this side of him but I know he knows I’m the last person to judge him.

“Justin, you need to stop beating yourself up about this okay? You did nothing wrong and you know it. She did this on her own and obviously couldn't balance a relationship with distance.”

He scoffs before puling back and shaking his head. “I know she cheated. I told you I’ve had that feeling for the longest time.”

“And Karma is a bitch Justin. If she couldn’t see what she gave up, that’s her own fault. One day it will hit her what an amazing man she gave up. Just you wait and see.”

He says nothing, laying his head on my shoulder again and the ache in my chest builds more and more with every second that ticks by. This girl seriously has no fucking clue what she gave up.

I try as best as I can to muffle the yawn and escapes my lips and fail miserably. He pulls away, regaining his composure, standing their in nothing but his boxer shorts.

“I should let you get to bed.”  He tells me.

I shake my head. “I’m fine. I’m here for you Justin.”

“I know you are Carebear. You’re the only one I can count on a hundred and fifty percent.”

I smile, glad that he knows that there isn’t anything I wouldn’t do for him.

“Ditto.”

“Will you stay in here with me tonight?” He asks, scratching his neck nervously.

My heart thumps quickly against my chest and for some reason, the question in his voice is different but I brush it aside. We’ve been down this road plenty of times but I know right here and now he really needs me. I smile softly, cupping his face quickly before I turn towards the door.

“Let me go change really quick and I’ll be right back.”

I jog across the living room into my bedroom and quickly search for something to sleep in. I don’t even bother with washing off my make up as I quickly begin taking out my earrings and kicking off my shoes and undoing my jeans and kicking them off. I pull my top over my head and toss it onto the bed, as I reach for a pair of boxer shorts. My heart nearly jumps out of my throat as the door squeaks slowly and Justin stands against the door frame in nothing but his boxers, emotion written all over him.

“Sorry, I um, I didn’t mean to scare you.” He says softly.

I look down at myself, noting that I’m only wearing a pair of shorts and my bra and he’s looking at me through hooded eyes. I shake it off, knowing he’s seen me in a lot less and begin to hurry it up a little, taking the pins out of my hair as it falls to my shoulders. I feel his breath against my bare skin before I see him, staring back at me in the mirror, his warm chest pressed against my back and I do everything in my power to will away the goosebumps that form on my skin.

“Why does this keep happening to me Caroline?” He whispers, pain dripping from every word.

I turn around, facing him and he doesn’t step beck so my chest bumps into his as his head falls to my shoulder blade. I do my best to maintaining my balance in my sleep fogged state as my hands go to his head, burying in his hair once again, comforting him.

“I don’t know Justin. Maybe you have to go through all these bad relationships before you find the right one.”

He moves his head up, blue eyes blotchy and red staring back at me, his voice soft.

“You’re gonna let me know when I find the right one right?”

I swallow, the question looming large in between us and the fact that he’s still standing severely close to me and my half naked state is clearly obvious. I blink slowly, a thousand thoughts running through my mind at his words.

“Yes Jus. You know I’ll help you through this.”

He looks deep and thought and attempts a smile that doesn’t meet anywhere close to his eye brows.

“Your amazing. You know that?”  He whispers before I feel one hand on my hips before I feel his lips closing over each of my eyes and then placing a quick kiss on corner of my cheek, just missing my lips.

I try to remember to breathe, the closeness of earlier at the club rushing back at me even though I tried to push it away, tried to forget all about all the things he was saying, the feelings that were rushing at me like a ton of bricks..

But this is about Justin right now and he’s hurt and just feeling vulnerable and is in need of some human contact. That’s all this is. That’s all it’ll ever be. We’re best friends. Each others sounding board. Just friends. I quickly regain my composure, smiling back at him.

“You are too, you know.”

He winks, taking a step back and moving towards the door. “Finish getting dressed. I’ll be wait for you back in the bedroom.”

I finish getting dressed, making sure I’m covered from head to toe, for what reason I don’t know. I count to ten before leaving my room, willing myself that this is about Justin. He’s my best friend. My best friend that’s hurting once again because the women he chooses to get involved with are slightly selfish and don’t have a clue what in the hell they’re giving up.

Who wouldn’t want Justin? I know him through and through and he’s for sure not perfect but at the end of the day, you’ll never find a guy as amazing as him.

I shake the thoughts from my mind as I walk into the dark bedroom seeing him looking out the window and down at the view below providing a soft glow. I try to suppress the yawn as I glance at the bedside alarm clock across the room and cringe. It’s 4:54 in the morning.

“I’m sorry about keeping you up.” He says, turning around and pulling the covers back from the bed.

I shake my head. “Stop apologizing. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t want to be.”

I climb into the huge King sized bed and make myself comfortable under the covers before opening my arms to him. He moves in beside me, his head coming to lay softly against my chest as he lets out a shaky unsteady breath.

“Tell me I’ll be okay Carebear.”

I close my eyes, my hands coming up to run through his hair reassuringly.

“You’ll me fine Justin. Just like you made sure I was all those years ago.”

I cringe, hating myself for bringing up my own past in his time of need but it’s the only way I know how to reassure him. It seems like yesterday that I was falling apart just like this but in a completely different way and for some reason, Justin seemed to be the only one that could hold me together. Not even distance or miles could stand in the way of our friendship. I can’t explain exactly the way I feel when I’m around Justin. There’s a sense of security and safety that comes with him. Something I don’t think I’ll ever fall away from. A love I’ll never be able to explain.

“Just promise you won’t ever give up on me.” He whispers, his head moving up and glossy blue eyes looking back at me.

“Not a chance Justin.” I say, shaking my head and smiling down at him.

He smiles back, or a half of a smile but it’s better than I’ve gotten all night. He stares are me for a few more seconds before his lips slowly close in on mine before pulling back and settling himself on my chest once again.

Instead of letting the rush of questions and feelings rush to my head once again, I quickly close my eyes, giving in to the heavy feeling and wrap my arms around Justin’s shoulders as he tugs me closer by wrapping his arms around my waist.

He’ll get through this just like he always does. Me, I’m not so sure anymore.
End Notes:
Well? Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Chapter 7 by Mel514
Author's Notes:
I haven't forgotten about this story! I've actually been working really hard to get it outlined just the way I want without making it a million chapters. I hope people are still reading. As always, let me know what you think! 

You Get Me Through

Chapter 7

One month later

Things have been one weird roller coaster lately. That’s the only way I know how to describe them accurately. Once news broke about me and Stephanie parting ways, that was the beginning of the drama. The constant tabloids, the paparazzi shoving questions in my face every second they could, being asked in every interview what when wrong. It’s enough to drive any man insane and trust me, it has.

I continued on with the tour, using it as my place to hide, a shield to let out all of my emotions and anger. I even went home once during a little break I had to spend some time with my family and it’s helped a lot. Everyone thinks it’s no big loss for me because “Oh he’s Justin Timberlake, he’ll find someone again” when that’s not even the case. What people fail to see is that I’m just a regular guy. I hurt just like everyone else, hell I even cry.

Relationships are not just some game to me. I take them pretty damn seriously and the love I give is real so it’s going to hurt when they don’t work out. It just seems to be an ongoing pattern for me though. I like to think I treat my girlfriends pretty well but somehow, I always end up hurt. Maybe I’m just not meant to be with someone. My path in life is to be a lonely singer, to sell out arenas, break records, make movies, have my own clothing line, world wide success but throught it all, be alone. And here I go getting all Debbie Downer on myself. I feel like I’ve repeated this part of my pathetic love life once or twice so I should probably stop.

I know that no matter what happens in my life, girlfriends or not, that I’ll always have one person by my side and that’s my one and only rock, my reason for dragging my depressed self out of bed everyday, the one and only Caroline.

I’ve said it a thousand times before that she means the world to me. There is no one out there in this world that cares and loves like she does. She stayed up with me in the middle of the night, the night that Stephanie left and we ended things and she let me vent and get out all of my frustrations. She let me curse and cry and second guess myself, only to remind me that this wasn’t my fault and if women couldn’t see the good in me, that they didn’t deserve to be with me. When it comes down to it, I don’t know where I’d be without her. Yes, I have tons of other friends, but no one knows me like Caroline. No one has that soothing touch that tells me that I’m going to get through whatever it is I’m going through, wake up the next day and keep moving.

Keeping busy has helped me a lot though. It’s one thing when you have nothing to do so you find yourself constantly sulking in your pain, thinking about it over and over again, about where it went wrong and looking back and regretting things to no end but with being on tour, I’m always busy. Sometimes I find myself saying that I hate this busy life I lead but it’s helped me. It’s helped me a lot which is why I’m nervous as hell now that the tour is about to come to an end and I’ll be back home living in LA hoping like hell I can find something to busy myself in besides my self pity.

**

It’s late and we’ve been on the bus on our way to LA for the final show of the tour and it feels like this drive is taking years. I’ve tried sleeping and as always, am wide awake and relentless. I pad my bare feet down the narrow hallway and see Caroline sitting at the table, hair pulled on top of her head, plaid PJ pants, a baggy hoodie and dark square glasses perched on her tiny little nose glued to the laptop in front of her.

She hasn’t left since the whole ordeal with Stephanie, even though I told her I wasn’t holding her prisoner but had insisted that she didn’t mind being here for me. It’s almost past that point now. I feel like we’ve fallen back in our old ways together like when we were young before everything with my career blew up and life got so complicated. She’s one of the few women I’ll ever admit to saying I don’t mind having around. She’s low key, low drama and I honestly love having her around. She gets along with my crew, my dancers, and hell, theirs  just no way you can’t not love the girl, or woman. Yes, Caroline is a grown woman.

My Mom is even constantly telling me how glad she is that she’s out here on the road with me. She even gets all serious and tells me that Caroline is good for me and one of these days I need to stop being so blind, whatever that means.  I don’t think I’ve ever been blind when it comes to her. In fact, I curse myself sometimes for noticing a little too much of her. I find myself having these moments, where we’re together, weather we’re bs-ing around or having one of our deep conversations where I kind of space out get this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. My thoughts always flash back to that night in the club, how dancing with her felt so right and how the look in her eyes said so much more than what her lips would allow. I tell myself it’s just the side affects of everything that went down with whats-her-face- yes, that's the ex’s new name if anyone asks, and it was just me dealing with being on tour alone all that time.

I’m a man and crave human contact. That’s not a curse right?

I shake my thoughts, coming up to the table and sliding in beside her where she doesn’t even blink, her eyes steady on the screen in front of her.

“What’s up Just?” She asks, continuing her work.

I lean forward, trying to read at the speed she’s typing but it all makes little sense to me.

“Nothing. Can’t sleep like usual.”  I say, leaning my head on her shoulder.

I smile as one hand comes up from the computer to pat my cheek in that comforting way she always does.

“Sorry but I’ve gotta finish this. I’m already behind deadline and I need to get this sent in.”

My face falls a little.

“Is being on tour putting you behind?”

She shakes her head quickly. “No, it’s not. They just sent me a new assignment they needed done and I over did my work load. Nothing that can’t be fixed with a little time and determination.”

I nod, watching her bring her fingers up to her lips like she always does when she’s thinking.

“Do you want me to leave you alone?” I question.

She turns blue eyes to me for a second, shaking her head once again.

“No your fine.”

I smile, not really wanting to leave her. It may seem somewhat odd but I like being around her. Even though she’s been with me on tour for a few weeks now, I still have yet to tire of her. We seem to know when the other needs space and she loves doing her own thing with sight seeing with whatever city we’re in. I find it kind of odd to say but we kind of balance each other out.

I tune out the sounds of the keys on her laptop clicking but her voice quickly brings me out of it.

“So you glad tomorrows the last show of the tour?”

I nod, already thinking of new projects and what not I want to take on. I really don’t know how to sit still.

“Yeah. This has been fun and stuff but I’m ready to move on to something else for a while.”

“Like sleeping in for a change?” She quirks.

I laugh slightly. “You know me better than that Carebear. I don’t know how to sleep in.”

“I really wish I had your energy Justin. You just never stop.”

I shrug shamelessly, batting my eye lashes at her, causing her to laugh.

“What can I say? It’s a gift.”

“Pshh, whatever.” She rolls her eyes jokingly and continues back to her work.

I hook my chin over her shoulder, feeling the need to be close to her again.

“You’re going to come out and visit though right?”

She tilts her head, laying it gently against mine and I smile at the contact.

“Possibly. I actually got an assignment that requires me to work out of LA for a few months so...”

My eyes pop open, surprised that she hadn’t mentioned this before.

“What? Really?”

She looks at me confused, laughing slightly.

“Yeah, I just found out about it today actually.”

“And you said yes right?”

“Well not exactly-.”

I cut her off again.

“Why not? You know damn well you could just move in with me while you’re there. I’ve got plenty of room.”

She looks at me, slightly bewildered at my anxiousness. The truth is, I don’t want to go home to an empty house. I don’t want to get stuck in that rut from here to where do I go now and having Caroline around would fix that. I don’t want be alone but I leave that part out. I leave out a lot of what I’m thinking.

“I don’t know Justin. It’s a lot to think about. I told them I’d think about it. I mean the job is a really good opportunity but.” She trails off, looking at me, her brows scrunched up in confusion.

“But what?”

“Aren’t you getting sick of me?”

I pull back, slightly shocked that she’d even think that. You think I would be sick of having a girl around all this time but Caroline’s not just any girl.

“Do I act like I’m sick of you? Girl, come on. I’d love to have you move in with me for a while. Or you could even stay longer if you want.”

“Okay. I’ll think about it.” She says, fingers messing with her keyboard before she closes her screen turning towards me.

“Just say yes already, pleeeeeeeeeeeease.” I beg, wrapping my arms around her, pushing her body across the length of the seat.

She laughs, her arms wrapping around my neck to steady herself from falling back all the way.

“Goodness Justin. Desperate much?”

I stop, my nose an inch away from hers as I look down at her and I can’t keep everything from her even if I tried. She has a way of finding out.

“I just, I don’t want to be alone when I go home ya know? I won’t know where to turn when the tours over and having you there will help me.”

Her face falls a little as one hand comes up to my cheek, feeling the smooth texture of my skin and I try to will away the small goosebumps that I feel from her simple touch.

“I’ll be there for you Just. If it means that much to you that I come to LA, then I’ll be there.”

She smiles slightly, her hand not moving as I let out a silent sigh of relief that I didn’t know what I was holding.

“Thanks.” I whisper, my fingers moving up to tuck some hair that’s escaped her ponytail behind her ear. My fingers move down her neck, moving ever so lightly over her jaw, trailing carefully across her lips, all the while holding her gaze with my own.

“You’re welcome.” She whispers back, her voice equally soft. “I’m not going anywhere.”

My breathing hitches in my throat at her words because she’s right. Nobody loves me like Caroline does. Nobody has seen me through as much as she has. I try to push away all the things flying through my head, the feelings I shouldn’t be having but it’s all so much.

My heart is nearly pounding out of my chest and I’m flashed back to all the other moments we’ve had like this where I didn’t do anything about it, the words failing numb against my tongue. I try to remind myself that she is my best friend, laying in front of me and put a stop to the things running through my brain but some type of force pushes through me and I know it’s pointless to even try and stop it.

My lips move down, hovering over hers until they brush just slightly against her own, before I pull away, already missing the contact as my forehead rests against hers. She doesn’t jump, or pull away or slap me, but her eyes close against her face, lashes fluttering softly.

“Don’t give up on me Carebear. I need you more than you’ll ever know.”

I feel her nod a little, as my hands come up to cover hers against the now warm flesh of my cheeks.

“I won’t Just. As long as you don’t give up on me.”

I shake my head, silently telling her I won’t, all the while wondering how long we can keep doing this. Kisses like this have just been a part of our relationship. We’re close so it’s not out of the norm but I know how women think and if I know Caroline as well as I think I do, I know that each time I do this, I’m probably confusing the hell out of her. Hopefully with her moving in with me for a few months, it will give us some time to breath a little and having her there and working with slowly show me I can get back on my own two feet once again.

We’re best friends. That’s all this is. Two grown adults who have been through a lifetime of ups and downs and who find comfort in the other. I’ll keep telling myself this for as long as I can because once you cross that line between lovers and friends, it’s down right impossible to get back and losing Caroline isn’t something I’m willing to do.

I can shake these feelings. It’s just a phase. It’ll all fizzle out.

I wonder how many times I’ll have to tell myself this stuff before I actually start to believe it. 

End Notes:
Thoughts, suggestions, comments? 
Chapter 8 by Mel514
Author's Notes:
Well, two days later I've finally finished this update. I'm starting to really love these two Characters. Hope you all enjoy :) 

You Get Me Through 

Chapter 8. 


I really don’t know what I was thinking moving in with my best friend, even though he’s Justin Timberlake, or no scratch that- especially since he’s Justin Timberlake. It’s been a little over a week now since the tour was over and I went back home to Tennessee for a little bit, only to have Justin calling me, chomping at the bit and telling me that he couldn’t wait for me to get to LA. Now if I know him as well as I think I do, the boy slept for the first few days and has been going nuts ever since. I reminded him that he always goes through this, ‘the after tour blues’ as I call them but he insists he’s not. In fact, he’s been acting relatively normal after dealing with the whole breakup thing. A part of me really wonders if he’s over it or if he’s just putting up a good front but regardless, I’m finding myself moving my third suitcase full of crap into the huge bedroom that he’s given me as my own.

I thought I’d walk into his house and there’d be constant reminders of his ex all over the place but surprisingly that’s not the case. I haven’t seen one picture of her yet, let alone any obvious traces of her. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me feel a little better that she had never actually moved in with him. She’s been here for periods of time yes, but that’s different than actually making someone elses home your own. And from what he told me, whenever they were ‘together’, when they could make their schedules work, they were mostly at her house. I know I don’t own Justin but when it comes to him, I’m protective. She hurt him like so many of his girlfriends have and I didn’t want a constant reminder of that. Nor did I want to lie with him in a bed that her presence still lingered in. To me, that was just awkward.

This is a little weird for me. I mean, I’ve been here before but something just feels odd. For a majority of the tour, I’ve always slept with him. I know he was hurting then and needed me but I’d be lying if I told myself I didn’t already miss it. My bed back at home felt empty and cold and I got more than a little use to Justin holding me against his chest, his heartbeat lulling me to sleep night after night. And then there was always the kisses. They always happened at the most random times of the day but mostly after we’d just had a really in depth conversation and I’m still trying to convince myself I don’t miss them. That’s what I loved about Justin. With us, I never knew what was going to happen. I just knew we’d be there for each other.

I find it funny that we’re the best of friends, know each other in an out but we’ve never had that dreadful conversation of us if there even is an ‘us’. I know I see something in his eyes when he looks at me, I just don’t know exactly what it is. It could just be gratification that he feels towards me and if I’m going to be in a relationship with somebody, it has to be based on more than that. Then the night of the club flashes back in my head, all the things he said, the way his hands held me close, the chaos that went through my head, my body and it’s all I can do to shake my thoughts.There's no way he could have a thing for me. I’ve seen each and every one of his girlfriends or maybe I’m just selling myself short. As for me, I try not to justify what I feel for him. All I know is that I love him for the man he is and I’d never do anything to jeopardize that friendship we have. All I know is that I’m way too tired from my flight and getting settled that hopefully it occupies the things running through my mind.

Let’s hope moving in with him for a while wasn’t a huge mistake.

**

(Monday)

So it’s the first day of this new job here in LA and I have to say, besides being so busy that I thought my head was going to burst and my eyes were going to fall out, that it’s going relatively well. Lucky for me, this wasn’t a Monday through Friday type of job. I’ve gotten along with just about everyone, which actually surprised me a little. I’ve always considered myself a laid back person, so used to the southern hospitality of back home in Tennessee that I was preparing myself for the snobby, cool attitude of those I’ve encountered on other adventures in LA. Thankfully though, that wasn’t the case. While trying to keep my concentration on my work, the view before me was a little overwhelming. I never expected to be working from a tall glass structure that overlooked all of the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles but could totally see myself getting used to it.

I had made plans with Justin to do lunch on my break but had gotten so far behind that I had to take a rain check. Instead, he told me not to worry and to call him when I was done for the day and we’d get some pizza’s and just go home and vedge out which right now, could not sound more perfect.  

I looked at clock for the tenth time, having hung up with Justin maybe fifteen minutes ago. I tap my pen against the notebook on my desk, hand laced through my hair as Kelly, one of my employees pops her head in my door, looking at me rather confused.

“Um Caroline, theirs a man outside the says he’s here to meet you.”

I breathe out a sigh of relief but not before smirking at her look of pure and utter excitement that she’s trying so hard to contain. I always leave out the fact that Justin is my best friend. Especially here in LA. I’m actually surprised someone I work with doesn’t know him personally already. This company has it’s fair share in the entertainment industry.

“Is it Justin?” I question, standing from my desk and gathering my purse. I flip my hair back over my shoulder, regretting leaving it down today. Apparently curling my hair was only a translation for it to be in my way.

Kelly nods, looking at me for some kind of explanation. “You never mentioned you were friends with Justin Timberlake.” She whispers.

I shake my head, tired from a long day and not wanting to explain myself. “I promise I’ll explain later.” I tell her, making my way out into the lobby. Apparently forty year old women still swoon over Justin.

She nods, following me out as I see Justin waiting patiently and smiling, hands in the pocket of his dark jeans, red hoodie covering his upper body. I think I’m going to get out of here scot-free when another colleague, this one tall, dark and handsome- stops me in my tracks.

“Hey Caroline, great job today.” He tells me, catching my arm softly as I nearly bump into him and my heart skips a little.

Instead, I smile, trying to play it cool. “Thanks Bryce.”

His hand still hasn’t left my arm yet and I’m once again met with the spicy scent of being so close to him. It’s been a long time since I’ve let myself get carried away by a man, well unless you count...

“You bout’ ready Carebear?” I hear Justin ask, as he walks up to me, holding an arm out as that familiar flutter in my heart returns. I don’t miss the way his face tips up, eyeing Bryce up and down.

I nod, shaking my thoughts and excuse myself, happy to finally be leaving the confines of my temporary office.

“So how was your first day?” He asks, quietly, as we climb into his Escalade and leave the parking lot.

“Good I guess. Long, busy, you know.”

He smiles and nods, turning towards me as we come to a red light.

“Who was that guy?” He asks, and my brows move up in question.

“Bryce? He’s one of the people working on this assignment with me.”

“Oh.” was his only reply as he continues to drive. I think he’s going to continue but the car is filled with silence and I’m slightly lost.

“Yeah.. So how was your day?” I question, hoping to ease some of the tension.

“Fine. Putzed around the house. Played some basketball. Worked out in my gym. Nothing to entertaining.”

“No wonder you were eager for me to get out of work.” I say, smirking a little.

He looks at me, this time his eyes holding with mine steadily, his hand coming over to quickly grasp mine but he doesn’t say anything. He just holds on for a second, his callousy thumb brushing over my knuckles. My breath catches in my throat at the tender gesture and I can’t say a word, trying to read him myself.

**

Thirty minutes later, we’re walking into the large expanse of the living room, pizza’s in hand where I graciously kick off my black heels, already beginning the buttons of my high waisted skirt.

“Ahh, whoever invented heels was an evil, evil person.”

Justin laughs quietly, dropping the pizza’s and pop onto the coffee table in front of the big flat screen TV that takes up way too much of his wall.  

“Go put on your sweats babe. The pizza will be waiting for you.”

I give him a sleepy smile before leaving the room to go change. Did he just call me babe? It’s not like it’s the first time it’s happened but he’s just being really different tonight. I can’t put a finger on it. I shake my head, trying to rid my thoughts as I begin changing, already excited to relax after a long day.

When I come downstairs, noting that he’s changed into a pair of gray sweatpants himself and a white t-shirt. He’s got plates and glasses laid out and the pizza already open, flipping through the movies with the remote. He steals a quick glance at me as I tighten my hair, happy to finally have it pulled back before adjusting my tank top and pulling it down more. I plop down next to him on the wide couch, before reaching for a plate and a slice of pizza.

“So what did you want to watch tonight?”

He shrugs, handing me the remote. “You pick.”

I look back at him with wide eyes. We never watch a movie without arguing. Something is definitely up. It’s always the same battle against my cheesy chick-flicks and his plea for some action packed dude movie.

“You okay?”

He looks back at me, his face contorted and confused and I can tell that somethings on his mind but he doesn’t give me any hint that he’s going to spill his guts. “Fine, why?”

“You’re just kinda quiet, even for you,” I shrug, setting my plate down. “Don’t make me drag it out of you, Just.”

He rolls his eyes a little, going to stand and I look up at him confused. “I’m fine.” He says, his voice slightly on edge.

“Justin!” I say, my voice louder then I intended it to. “Sit down.”

Before I know it, I’m standing up and pushing him back down into a sitting position and without even thinking I straddle his waist to keep him in place. My hand comes up to cup the side of his face, making sure his eyes are looking into mine. He looks up at me questioningly as I watch his adam’s apple bob slowly as he swallows.

“Cut the crap and tell me what’s wrong.” I tell him softly as his hand comes up to cover mine, his face turning into the warmth.

He let’s out a soft sigh, falling against my face. “It’s nothing. I’ve just been thinking about stuff and I don’t know Carebear. I’m just a little confused right now.”

My face falls, knowing I’m going to have to drag this out of him. “Are you going to elaborate?”

“I don’t know how. It’s just lately, I’ve been thinking about--about you and-.”

He stops as my cell phone rings on the stand beside him. Dammit.

“Ignore it.” I tell him, hoping he’ll continue.

“Not now babe, alright?” I was about to argue when my eyes widened slightly. He called me babe again. That was my final straw.

“Justin, please don’t shut me out.” I plead, dropping my hand from his face as my forehead comes to rest against his. “You know can talk to me.”

I feel his hands come up and rest on my hips, rubbing soothingly before his kisses my lips quickly before pulling back. “Just give me some time to sort it out and I promise we’ll talk about it eventually, okay?”

I finally give up, climbing off his lap. “Fine.”  If there's one thing I know better about, it’s not to press an issue with Justin when he tells me to drop it. Hopefully he’ll come around.

We’re about twenty minutes into the movie when we’re finished with the pizza and Justin has done just about anything he could to keep the mood light. He’s cracked jokes, belched like the charmer he is and has only made fun of the movie I chose three times now. I fall to the side of the couch, laying my head against one of the plush pillows and it’s not long before I feel Justin press against my back, arm draping over my waist as I shiver from the contact. He reaches behind him, grabbing a fleece blanket and draping over us, arm resuming it’s position as his chin comes to rest on my shoulder.

I sigh, turning to glance at him and he grins back at me in that charming way he’s perfected over the years and winks. I shake my head, snuggling back into the warmth of him as he tightens his grip and we continue to watch the movie and my thoughts wonder.

What was he talking about? Thinking about you and... dare I fill in the blank for him? Justin could be so damn stubborn sometimes but I know better not to press the issue. He’s right. He’ll tell me when he’s ready.  

**
I wake up flat on my back to a dark room, the movie having been long over and the sweet weight of Justin draped over me, his head pillowed against my chest. My eyes come into focus, the only light come from the television and I don’t even try to stop myself as I run a hand through his soft curls, his eyelashes laying gently against his cheeks. I could try to maneuver myself out from under him without waking him up but I know better. He’s a light sleeper. I take a second to just breathe, feeling him, wondering what the in hell is really bothering him and asking myself why he won’t tell me. I think of all we’ve been through together and how maybe things wouldn’t be so complicated if we weren't this close. Maybe I need to step back a little? Give him some space, give myself some and start living on my own two feet and my own confidence like I once did. Maybe distance is the key here.

My thoughts come to a halt when I feel him stir, blue eyes looking around blearily. He turns to look up at me, my hand still in his hair as his face comes down to rest in the crook of my neck where he lets out a heavy breath, arms wrapping around me tighter.

“You alright?” I ask, protective instincts coming out.

He hums against my neck, sending chills down my spine before I feel his breath tickle my skin.

“Mmm. I had a dream you were gone.”

I chuckle softly wanting to ask him more but I say the only thing my heart tells me to.

“I’m right here Justin.”

“Good.” He places a few dry kisses against my neck where his face is still buried.

Silence ticks by as he continues to hold on to me tightly but I know he’s still awake.

“Want to go to bed?”

I hear him groan before he sighs a little too dramatically but he goes to sit up towards the end of the couch running a hand over his tired face. I pull myself up, standing where I take a second to stretch, preparing my bones for the journey up the large staircase to my room. I feel Justin take my hand, his fingers sliding through mine as he pulls me in the direction of the stairway. He keeps me close, not saying a word until we get to the double doors of his bedroom.

“You coming?”

I bite my lip looking between the doors of his bedroom and down the hall to mine. I’m reminded of my thoughts earlier, telling myself that maybe I shouldn't’ allow this to keep happening. Maybe if I stop this now, it won’t hurt so much in the end. But then that voice in the back of my head starts talking, the same one that I swear is in charge of the feelings I get when I’m around him and I know that it’s going to win the battle.

I remind myself to relax. It’s just Justin and your only going to be sleeping.

I nod walking into his bedroom with him and watching as he pulls back the covers. I move over to the other side, sliding in moving under the comforter where I land on my side facing him. He’s looking back at me, sleepy blue eyes peering over his lashes and the look his face has gone from tired to serious. He drapes an arm over my waist pulling me closer so theirs just a few short inches between us. His hand sits on my hip for a moment, rubbing slow circles before it inches up ever so slowly to my face. Maybe it’s just me but he’s been really touchy-feely lately, not that I mind in the least. His hand comes up to rest on my cheek and I mentally tell my heart to stop thudding against my chest. This is just Justin. It’s just how we are.

“I love you Carebear. I wish you knew just how amazing you were.”

I swallow thickly, a little more than touched by his words. Why does he suddenly feel the need to remind me how amazing I am? Did I forget? If that didn’t shock me, the feel of his lips on mine was going to take the cake. Only this time instead of pulling back right away like he normally did, his lips lingered, the pressure becoming more strong but still gentle.

He pulls back, removing the pony tail from my head as his hands begin running through my hair as he eyes me quickly before coming back again, his lips moving with my own again, this time the pressure more sure, more confident.

“So beautiful.” He whispers, his body rolling on top of my own. I look up at him with confused eyes where he stops for a second as if giving me time to reply before he comes down, trailing kissing across my jaw to my neck and my train of thought is lost.

My heart is thudding against my chest as I feel his hands caress the skin under my tank top and it feels to familiar yet so foreign all at the same time. This has gone way beyond our friendly little kisses and part of my mind tells me I should say something and the other part wishes he’d never stop, that he’d never stop making me feel these things.

He moves down, spreading kisses across my collar bone, going lower and outlining the scoop of my tank top, my skin already on fire. I don’t feel my hands move until their inching up his t-shirt, feeling the muscular skin of his back and notice the slight shutter this causes. I make room for him between my legs as moves fully over me, holding his weight as best as he can. He kisses over my breasts, and down to my stomach where my skin pricks with his warm breath moving easily through my tank top. He pushes the fabric up with his nose, his lips trailing seductively behind. My body is not prepared for shock of his lips and tongue skittering across my stomach as I move my hands up, my fingers wrapping in the tight curls at the nap of his neck. I allow him to pull off my shirt, amazed by the rush of nerves that don’t come flooding through me.

His sharp intake of breathe unnerves me and then he looks up at me through glossy, heavy eyes before leaning down and placing a soft kiss between my breasts. “So gorgeous, Carebear.” He whispers.

My heart swells in my chest as I breathe in confidently and I reach up to discard him of his shirt. He’ll never know how incredibly gorgeous he is. I don’t hesitate to reach up feeling the muscular expanse of his stomach and chest as he smiles down at me, before his lips meet mine tenderly. He leans in, hand coming to the side of me face once again as he takes his time to explore my mouth slowly, tongue coming in and tangling with mine as the air is stolen from my lungs. We’ve definitely never done this before. I arch my chest into his, skin meeting skin as we both gasp, pulling away but only for a second.

I feel his fingers come down to the waistband of my sweat pants, not pulling or tugging, just feeling, silently asking. His blue eyes burn into mine, looking heavy and sincere all at the same time. This is Justin, my best friend. He wants to know that this is okay. I swallow again, telling myself that this is my chance to end it all right now, to not cross that line but when I look up at the man leaning over me, passion and love showing in his blue eyes, I know that there's no way I could tell him no, no matter how hard I tried. I could try to convince myself a hundred times that I didn’t feel a thing for him and it the end, the only person I’d be lying to is myself.

I reach my hands up, wrapping them around his neck where my nose bumps into his slowly just nuzzling before I lean in, kissing him with everything I’ve ever felt for him and whisper the one word I know he wants to hear.

“Yes.”
**
End Notes:
Ah!! YES, I finally went there. Comments, suggestions? 
Chapter 9 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

Sorry this chapter took forever to get to you. I had wanted to chose my direction carefully... lol Please enjoy and as always let me know what you think!

You Get Me Through

Chapter 9.


I take a second, trying to catch my breath, looking down and into the hazy blue eyes that look back at me. My brain is slightly fuzzy and my body is on fire as I lean down once again, moving my lips over hers as I tell myself to slow down, to savor this moment. I’ve got so many thoughts running through my mind but none of them seem to matter right now. All I can focus on is the woman laying below me. My best friend in the entire world and right at this moment, she’s more gorgeous than I ever remember seeing her.

My hands are shaking slightly as the tips of my fingers move cautiously over the waist band of her sweats, testing the waters, wondering if she’s going to slap me and ask me what the hell I think I’m doing or if she’s going to allow me to go further, to explore these feelings and musings I’ve had in my head for the past few months now. I close my eyes as I feel her nose nuzzling mine, brushing against it, silently telling me what I think I want to hear. I ask myself if these are just my hormones speaking, looking for an easy lay but I know with every bone in my being that I’d never do that to Caroline. I love her way too damn much to use her like that.

She looks up at me, her arms around my neck, easily running her fingers through the curls at the nap of my neck and she knows damn well how much I love that. My body shutters just a little, still getting used to this new sensation of my bare skin laying against hers so intimately. I lean down to kiss her again, tongue tracing her upper lip before moving in to taste her fully and I realize I’m quickly becoming addicted to the flavor that is so uniquely her. How in the hell did I not know all of this before? All the years that have passed, all the heartache and she was right here in front of me.

Her body arches against mine, silently begging for more as my thumb splays across her hip bone, once again tracing the waist band of her sweats. I try to gather myself, taking in a few deep breathes here and there to calm my body down.

There’s no way in hell am I going to rush this.

I feel as though I’m dreaming as the soft touch of her own fingers trace up the length of my back, leaving goosebumps in their wake. “Yes.” I hear her whisper.

I swallow, blinking as I open my hazed blue eyes, gazing down at her wanting to know for sure.

“What did you just say?” I ask, my breathing shallow.

Her hands come up to my face, cupping my jaw in her palm, her thumb tracing my bottom lip.

“What did you think I just said Jus?”

My forehead comes down to hers, resting against it and sucking air into my lungs.

“I could have swore you just said yes but I thought it was just wishful thinking on my part.”

I hear her laugh slightly, a smile turning the corners of her perfect lips up and my heart begins to beat a little more steady. I need to know she’s still my Carebear, even in the midst of this, whatever it may be. I want her to be comfortable with me, with where we’re about to take things but most of all, I want her to enjoy this.

“Then it must be your lucky night.”

I open my eyes once again, to see her looking back up at me as her hands hold on to the sides of my face, fingers brushing here and there. I can see the wheels turning in her head but I always see the love she’s gave when it came to me. Maybe I was just to blind to see what was right in front of me.

I take a leap of faith, leaning down to kiss her softly at first but quickly building passion, so hungry for the taste of her. My hands skim her body, moving up to the side of her ribs before going across and caressing the ivory swells of her breasts. My lips quickly follow the path of my hands, tasting her sweet skin as I feel her body shutter below me. Her own hands trail down my chest, palms moving over every inch of skin until she settles at my hips and my mind screams inside that I never want her to stop. I shift further, feeling the thud of her heart between her breasts as my lips kiss a wet trail all the way down to where my fingers had teased just moments before. I glance up once again, looking at her chest rising and falling with the erratic pace of her heart and I know she’s right where I am.

On the brink of something wonderful.

I quickly pull her sweats and panties down in one swift move, dropping them to the floor and my breathing nearly stops, stolen from my lungs at the site of her. I can’t stop my hands as they move to their own path, caressing, feeling, brushing, learning, working us both up. I move up to capture her lips once again, where I feel the tips of her fingers sliding inside my own sweat pants and I wonder if she’s got it in her to make this move herself.

She could walk away right now. I don’t want to be that guy that makes her feel obligated. I need her to want me like I want her right as this very moment. Like I always have but never knew.

I feel the soft material of my pants being kicked down my legs by her foot as I reach back, helping her to discard them and when they hit the floor in silence, it’s then that I realize that this is really going to happen. I lean down ever so slightly, letting our skin meet for the first time with nothing between us and it’s almost enough to send me over the edge right now. I’ve been with plenty of women, and I do mean plenty but for some reason nothing feels better than Caroline’s naked skin pressed against mine. I hear her sharp intake of breath as her eyes move over my body, taking me in, as she bites her lip, curiosity running over her face. I know she’s accidentally caught me naked before or been in the room while I was changing but I can tell she’s looking at me for the first time like she’s  actually able to and the fact that we’re now on uncharted territory this time. This goes way beyond seeing your best friend naked.

Her hands feed their curiosity, tracing down my stomach, until she comes in contact where I need her the most. A part of me wondered what she’d be like in bed and deep down something told me that she had this bold side to her. That she gave all she could, as a lover and as a companion. One day, I’d love to see her go wild but right now isn’t the time. This.. this deserves the slowness.

I let myself revel in the feel of her hands on me, reminding myself that this is better than I had ever pictured in my head and that my imagination didn’t even come close to the reality and we haven’t even got down to business yet.  I move her hands away easily, bringing them to lace with my fingers, wanting to feel her all around me.

I catch her lips again, meeting her half way before we take turns kissing, reaching for the other, thirsty for breath but trying to savor every second at the same time.

When I finally pull away, it’s only for a second as I lean up on my forearms, aligning my body with hers and I give her one last chance, glancing back in to glossy love-filled eyes. Her eyes never leave mine but her hands move to my sides, nails digging into my skin just slightly.

“You ready babe?”

She smiles up at me just slightly, and squeezes my hip as I allow myself to slowly slide into her.

I take several deep breaths, reminding myself that this is Caroline and knowing that it’s been a long time since she’s been with a guy. I know her inside and out and I want this to be good for her, for us.

A part of me wants to remind her that love can be so good between two people. I fact that I feel she closed off a few years ago.

I lean down, pressing kisses across her face, her eyes, her jaw, her neck, and finally her lips.

“You okay?” I breath against her skin.

“Yeah.” She breathes glancing up at me, a small grin on her lips as I return the gesture and move in a little bit more. I don’t mind taking my time here but she catches me off guard, her arms coming up and snaking around my neck before she wraps her slender thighs around my waist driving me all the way in.

Our gasps mingle together as I look at her with wide eyes, only to see her own closed against her cheeks, the smile still splayed on her pink lips.

“Stop worrying so much baby.” She breathes as I feel her body arch against mine.

Did she just call me baby? It’s the most simple gesture but damn it if my heart didn’t skip.

I take my time spreading kisses all over her chest, her collarbone before I move up and my head tucks in the crook of her neck. My arms move easily under her shoulder blades,  as we’re pressed together, heart to heart in the most intimate way possible as I begin to move.

My entire body feels as though it’s on fire, on the brink of something wonderful as our bodies continue on, caressing, brushing, gliding together, sharing something we’ve never shared as friends. I take my time, wanting to savor it, wanting to draw out every ounce of pleasure I can for Caroline as well as myself. The only sounds that can be heard in the darkness of my bedroom are the sexy breathy moans that escape her lips and grunts that escape mine all the way from the depths of my toes.

Our eyes don’t miss a beat, staring at one another through all of it, and whispering words and confessions we’ve never let free. When the build becomes too much and our movements become faster, more frequent, our bodies and hands clutching at one another, we both finally let go. The sounds of completion echo off the walls and the thin sheen of sweat is left covering our naked flesh as a reminder of what we’d just experienced but my body can still feel it, feel her all around me.

It feels like forever before I finally allow myself to move, the thudding of our hearts loud enough to hear. When I finally move myself off her, it’s only long enough to move to her side before I pull her against me as our arms wrap around one another. Her eyes are heavy and her body looks relaxed and I pray to myself that the reality of all of this doesn’t choose now to come screaming back. Instead, I place a soft kiss against her temple, as I pull the covers back up around us and whisper the one thing I know is for sure.

“I love you.”

**
I’m barely on the brink of consciousness when my eyes flutter open and I’m suddenly aware of the sweet weight pressed up against me. I look down through my lashes as a smile appears across my lips as I take in Caroline’s sleeping form laying softly against my chest. I’ve been here before, woke up with her but somethings a little different. I shift slightly, remembering that not only is my best friend sleeping against me, but the added warmth is from her naked flesh pressed against mine.

I swallow, as last nights events come flashing back and it’s still so fresh in my mind that I honestly don’t know how I forgot. I can still see her when I close my eyes, smell her the sweet scent of her without even trying. It’s hard to believe but last night we crossed that line. I feel like I should make a bee line from the bedroom but then I’m well aware of the fact that we’re in my bedroom, my house. My hand runs smoothly up her back, seeing her snuggle deeper into the crook of my neck and the feeling that rushes over me reminds me that I have no intentions of bolting from the room or my house, that what took place last night somehow feels right.

I can’t stop myself as I lean down, placing a soft kiss on her cheek and running a hand through the soft tresses of her hair. I take in each of the features on her face, appreciating how she glows with the light of the sun rise floating through the windows of the bedroom. As cheesy as it sounds, a feel a quick flutter move through my chest and it makes me want to hold onto her even tighter. Something for some reason just feels... right.

There are so many things I want to say, once I figure out what the hell ‘those’ things are but all I know is that  I can feel them brimming at the tip of my tongue, waiting to be said.

I know that I want every single word to come out right and I’m terrified more than anything of screwing this up. What if she laughs in my face? I shake my head knowing deep down that there’s no way in hell Caroline, out of all people would do that. Still, so much is at stake here. She’s my best friend. Hell, she’s more that my best friend.. she’s... dammit, I don’t even know right now. I’m getting way to much ahead of myself putting labels on us. All I know is that I don’t want to let go of her.

My thoughts are interrupted by the rather loud ringing of her blackberry on the night stand beside her that I didn’t even realize she’d brought up here last night. I don’t even make an attempt to wake her, knowing that if she wants to, she’ll wake up on here own. The device rings four more times before it finally subsides and I can tell she’s on the verge of waking up.

I keep my arms wrapped around her as best as I can until long lashes sweep open and sleepy blue eyes glance up at me. I swallow slowly, pacing myself for whatever is about to come.

The look on her face is hard to read so I take a brave step, not being able to help myself as I move the short space between us, moving my lips down to kiss her softly.

“Morning.”

She looks up at me questionably, almost shyly and I know there are so many thoughts running through her head. Probably the same ones going through mine.

“Morning.” She breathes quietly as she moves off of me to stretch a little and I immediately feel the loss of her next to me.

“Your phone was ringing just a little bit ago.”

She looks over towards the night stand, turning on her side as the sheet slips from her upper body, leaving the naked expanse of her back and shoulders open to my view and my mouth immediately goes dry.  I slide the short distance behind her as she reaches for her phone.

“It’s work.” She grumbles, scanning through the massive amount of e-mails she’s been bombarded with.

“Ignore it.” I mumble, no longer able to hesitate as I trail kisses along her neck and shoulders. I smile, feeling her shiver and lean back against my touch as my arms snake under the blankets to wrap around her waist, hand splaying across the warm skin of her stomach.

“Justin, we should really talk about last night..”

I suck in a breath, pretending I didn’t hear what she said. I don’t want to talk right now. I don’t want her to think, hell I don’t want to think. I just want to savor what we have right here and now.

“Not now.” I mumble, moving over her and leaning down to kiss the breath out of her. I bring my hand up, brushing the hair from her face before my finger tips trace her jaw, her collar bone, desperate for any inch of skin I can touch.

I feel her moan into the kiss, using this opportunity, brushing my tongue against hers, so hungry for the taste of her once again. I smile, feeling her hands run through my hair carelessly before she clutches them tightly around my neck, letting herself get lost in us. I feel her body writhe against me and my heart skips for a second, feeling her warm flesh pressed against my own.

I trail my hands down further, softly grazing over her breasts, the smooth expanse of her stomach, memories of last night still vivid in my mind, reminding me of exactly how good it was between us. My body screams and tenses immediately as her cell phone goes off, ringing loudly in between the mass of blankets and sheets.

I roll off her as she pulls away, quickly snatching up the damn electronic nuisance and answering it quickly. I take a few deep breaths trying to control the fire running through my body, so desperate to have her again. I see her pad across the bedroom, snatching up my t-shirt that was carelessly thrown about last night before she pulls it over her head, cell phone clutched to her ear.

“Alright. I’ll be right there. Give me a half hour tops.” She speaks before hanging up, her body annoyed and flustered.

I sit up, running a hand over my face, telling myself that this wasn’t how I saw this morning going. Nowhere close in fact. I thought we could linger in bed for the day, perhaps talk about last night.

I reach a hand out as she comes over to the bed, grabbing it for a second and letting go.

“You leaving?” I question dumbly, knowing the answer.

“Yeah they need me in there right away. Some big deadline someone wasn’t on top of.”

I nod as she makes a quick exit into the bathroom, the large wooden door clicking shut and the wall between what we just shared quickly coming up as questions hanging thickly in the air. I quickly kick my feet over the side of the bed, in a quick search for my previously discarded sweats.

Ten minutes later, she shuffles through the bathroom door, towel wrapped tightly around her body as she leaves my bedroom and pads down the hallway. A part of me wants to follow her, to talk about this but the other part of me knows that now isn’t the time to start. She’s already in a bad mood, seeings as she was suppose to have the day off and now has to rush in to fix someone elses mistakes. I find myself asking how she could just shut off what we were just doing in bed. It’s almost like she deleted it from her memory. For the millionth time, I swallow my thoughts, and all the things I want to say and go downstairs in search of coffee, leaving her on her own.

**
I hear the light click of her heels against the tile floor as I look up, seeing her dressed in a black pencil skirt giving me the perfect view of her legs if I might add, a white blouse, her hair blown straight and sitting smoothly against her shoulders, and her face lightly dusted with make-up. Ah yes, the business side of Caroline. She looks professional, so serious and sophisticated but deep down I know what lies beneath that facade. How beautiful and easy going she is.

She comes over to the counter but only to retrieve her briefcase and keys.

“You want a cup of coffee?” I ask, getting ready to pour her a cup, already feeling some kind of awkward tension between us.

“Thanks but I don’t have time. I’ve gotta get going.” She responds as she turns to exit the room.

I sit there stunned, asking myself if this is really how she’s going to leave things between us.

“Caroline,” I say, catching her attention as she stops and turns around. “Come here.”

She looks at me with that nervous, confused glance again before her heels click their way back to me. I set my coffee mug on the island and turn towards her, standing as I slide up against her, my own eyes wide  full of hurt and question. I take in the scent of her instantly, recognizing her signature perfume that she always wears. My eyes burn into hers wondering, trying to silently ask so many questions without actually speaking them. Instead, I say the one thing that’s on my mind right this second.

“Kiss me goodbye,” I say, the tremor in my voice giving away exactly what I’m feeling. “Don’t I at least deserve that?”

She swallows, her eyes roaming over my bare chest intensely. “Sorry.. I was just..in a hurry.”

“S’ok,” I breathe as I watch her hand slid up my chest, stopping under my jaw as she leans in and kisses me gently, her lips warm and smooth. She goes to pull away but I lean back in, desperate for one more taste of her before finally pulling away.

Her eyes are slightly hazy as she pulls back, the look of confusion still there. I pat her hip before winking in her direction. “Much better.” I voice, watching as she slowly flees from the kitchen and as much as I try, I can’t shake the feeling that she’s slipping from my fingers.

All I know is that I’m not giving her up without a fight. Caroline means way too much to me to just walk away and last night solidified that.  Call me a girl but last night was everything to me.
Chapter 10 by Mel514
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone! I promise I haven't forgot about this story! Lots going on with real life and I just want to be sure I'm going in the correct direction. I hope you all haven't forgot about it.. but I'll stop rambling. Enjoy and as always let me know what ya think :)

You Get Me Through

Chapter 10.

 

I bring my hand up, resting it against my forehead before running it through the strands of my hair, trying to focus on the documents in front of me.

Coming to work today was truly pointless. I don’t know what I was thinking accepting someones desperate plea to come help them meet this deadline. I think a part of me was looking for an easy way out, to get some time away from Justin to think but clearly that’s not happening today.

I let out a sigh of frustration, clicking the pen in my left hand for the hundredth time in the last ten minutes and it’s definitely doing nothing to help me focus.

Thoughts of last night are still running through my head non-stop, reminding me of what Justin and I did, of the line we finally crossed and now here I sit gazing aimlessly out my window of a bustling downtown Los Angles, trying to find out how in the hell to move forward from here on out.  

The night had gone nowhere near what I expected, his mood practically normal other then the obvious flustered expressions that had been taking up his handsome face for the last few days. It gave away the fact that I knew something was on his mind. I just had no idea that thing, was me.

We’d always been so open and honest with each other that I figured he’d come right to me and tell me he was feeling something other than friendship but then something deep down wonders if I was just a convenient person to rebound the loss of not having a girlfriend. The other rational part of me knows Justin a hell of a lot better than that, or at least I’d like to think I do.

I want to tell myself that I’d be the last person he’d use- physically or emotionally. Something deep down still holds on to every single touch, every glance, every kiss we shared last night, knowing full well it meant something to him too. This morning flashes back in my mind and it’s almost as I can still feel him and smell him all around me as the sun crept through his bedroom. His kisses were welcomed as they kept me from thinking about the reality of it all, just wanting him to make me mindless with the sensation of his lips against my own. The look in his blue eyes still held something full of wonder and I could tell it was only moments before he’d set them free.

I knew if I were honest with myself that I’d admit that I was nervous as hell to know what he had to say, the other part of me the slightest bit hopeful as I tried to sort out the millions of thoughts running through my own mind.

And as if there was a higher power watching over me, my cell phone continued to ring, saving me from the truth, saving me from the truth of everything and bringing me to my current state of despair.

I’ve been really closed off for most of the day, trying to make an attempt to get things done so they did meet the deadline but it seemed the more I tried to work, to actually focus, the more my thoughts scattered...to a particular man with blue eyes, a voice made to break your heart and the softest lips that I’d just felt against my own a few short hours before.

The look on his face, the stance of his shirtless body sitting at the island, coffee clutched to his hand is still burned in my memory and probably will be for some time to come. I honestly didn’t know what to say to him before I left but I never expected the thick command of his voice to bring me back to him. I figured maybe he just had to ‘get me out of his system’ and that would be that.

I can still remember the tremble in my legs, the urge to pretend I didn’t hear him but like a moth to a flame, I turned around, eyes focused on his, the hurt, the confusion evident on his face, as my heart broke and I knew way down deep that this was what I wanted. I was sure of it as I slid my hands up his warm chest watching as his skin became alive with goosebumps and I felt the thud of his heart against my palm.

I can still remember him asking, so sure and hurt at the same time to kiss him goodbye and there was nothing more I wanted to do then just that. I wanted to say screw the confusion, to call into the office and tell them I wouldn’t be coming in today. I wanted nothing more then to drag Justin back up-stairs and finished what he had started this morning. I wanted to bask in the after sex glow of falling for my best friend knowing everything would be okay but dammit, I didn’t.

Things were just a little more damn complicated than that, especially when I was dealing with my best friend who just happened to be Justin Timberlake.

I close my eyes, running a hand over my face for no reason, begging my mind to shut up, if only for a moment.

I try to think of all the directions this could go in but I know when it comes down to it, I’m scared of getting hurt. Yes, me mature Caroline who can always hold it together for other people but never for myself. I think it’d kill me if anything ever came between Justin and I and while I know deep in my heart that I love him, I’d rather have him by my side as just a friend than lose him as a lover.

That’s just something I don’t think I could ever recover from.

I don’t know what I was thinking, telling myself that moving in with him was a good idea even if it was only temporary. That one day this wouldn’t eventually happen. I feel as though within the last few months, every touch, glance, randomly delivered kiss, and skip in my heart was leading up to last night. I just wasn’t prepared for it. I always told myself that this was just the way Justin and I were together, that we had a really close bond to one another but maybe it was just a way to cover up what we both felt. Both? Or was it just me or him? Hell, I don’t even know anymore.

I think of the possibility of how on earth him and I could even come close to working, with him being gone constantly, that there was no way I could just continue to follow him all over like a lost little puppy. After all, I have a home in Memphis, a job that was of course mobile, yes but it had been a long time coming that I put down some roots and started acting my age. Best friend or not, I couldn’t just keep following him around wherever he went.

I’ve witnessed the insanity of his career all the way from the get go. From the maniac schedules to the lack of privacy and the stress of it all packed into one big cluster of crazy. I’ve dealt with the distance plenty of times but it’d be different I think if we were in a committed relationship. It would be odd to have a right to miss him and not just have to push away the thoughts like I always have. That nagging little thought of wonder...

But deep down, when I push the truth of his career to the wayside, he’s still the same old Justin I’ve always known. He’s still the frizzy-haired boy who always loved to sing when we were younger, who would always do his best to cheer me up, and who never once turned his back on me. At the end of the day, he’s still just my Justin and because of that, it makes me so proud to see the man that he’s become.

I remember back when we were younger that our mothers used to joke around and say how one day we’d wake up and realize what was right in front of us but I never understood what they meant until right now and that scares me to death. The only thing that comes to my mind is that if this thing (whatever it may be) goes wrong with Justin, I’d lose everything we’ve built. A life long of friendship, long talks, of tears, laughter, memories, traveling, heartbreaks, triumphs.. and I could go on forever. In the end, it’d just kill me to lose him even if we remained friends. I know that not all of the pieces would remain.

But then I think back to this morning, to the feel of his lips on mine, his husky voice whispered against my skin and the butterflies that quickly return to the pit of my stomach and know deep down a part of me wants to at least give this ‘thing’ a try...or at least I think I do.

I’m brought out of my reverie as I hear the phone on my desk beep and I quickly pick it up.

“Hello?”

“Line one is for you, Caroline.”

“Thank you.” I respond before hitting line one on the phone console.

“Caroline speaking.”

“Hey you.” I hear on the line, the voice soft and slightly husky and my stomach drops from my body.

“Hey.”

“You must be busy. I tried your cell phone a few times.”

He’s been calling me at work? I curse myself, remembering that I threw it in there when I got here this morning and have had yet to fish it out of the black hole.

“I um, I left it in my purse. Sorry.”

“It’s okay. How’s work going?”

I close my eyes, even though he can’t see me and take a deep breath trying to find the right words other than ‘a mental nightmare.’

“It’s okay. Not really getting a lot accomplished.” Shit, I hope I didn’t say too much. I really don’t want to get into deep conversation at work.

“Are you alright?” He questions, his voice low enough to make me melt into a puddle. Just hearing that tone reminds me that we’ve crossed the ‘best friends’ line. He’s speaking to me on a different level now.

“Yeah. Just thinking.. about things.”

“Have you had a lunch break yet?”

“No.” Lunch was the furthest thing on my mind today.

“Do you have time to get away for a little bit? You know.. grab some lunch and maybe, talk?”

I swallow thickly, my mouth suddenly dry and I try to ignore the little skip my heart does, moving all the way down to my stomach.

“Yeah, I can get away for a little bit.”

“Okay. I can be there in like fifteen minutes. Is that okay?” He says and I can here some rustling of papers in the background.

“Yeah, I’ll be here.”

“Alright. I’ll see you in a few.”

“Okay, bye Justin.” I say ready to hang the phone up before his voice meets my ears once again, this time even lower, more husky.

“I love you, Caroline.”

My heart stops for a second, biting my lip to stop the small gasp from escaping. He’s told me this plenty of times but never like this. Never with this seductive and sure tone. I mentally curse myself as I stumble on my own words.

“I- I love you too.”  

“See you in a bit.” He says before the line goes dead. I hang the phone up, trying to push down these feelings, these butterflies that I’ve never taken the time to acknowledge before last night. He’s my best friend. How in the hell did it get this far?

**
Justin chose a little cafe that he goes to often that happens to be not far from work. The ride here was quick but I couldn’t miss the sincerity in my eyes when he looked at me, the way his hands would brush any part of me they could as we moved. Then there was the soft kiss he brushed against my temple when he first met me at work and the woodsy scent of him that took over my senses with having him so close to me.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s always been a gentleman, but this is different. His caresses are saying so much more than friendship. Maybe I was over thinking his intentions..

If that wasn’t enough, the casual way he’s dressed is enough to steal my breathe directly from my lungs. He’s wearing baggy cargo shorts, a light blue t-shirt that makes his eyes stand out even more and his feet are covered with nothing but a leather pair of flip flops. His gorgeous face shows just the slightest bit of texture, telling me he hasn’t shaved today as the memory of my hand pressed against his cheek this morning flashes back to me.

We’re tucked back in the corner and I say a silent thank you to the brunette who sat us back here. The last thing I want is the world to hear our... well whatever is going on here.

“So..” He says, his voice trailing off.

I look up, tucking my hair behind my ear as I fiddle with the straw in my ice water.

“So..” I mimic him, knowing I’m not brave enough to be the one to start this conversation. A part of me feels like I’m going to be sick.

“I got a call this morning about that movie I was telling you about a few months ago.”

My eyes widen, surprised and thankful at the same time that this is where the conversations going.

“Oh yeah?”

He licks his lips, smiling a little bit as his hands are folded together, elbows leaning slightly on the table.

“Yeah. It’s just a small roll but uh, they want me to go to New York to do it.”

“That’s great, Justin! You’re going to take it right?”

“I want to.” He says, his voice confident and I can see he’s really excited about this. Acting has always been something he’s really wanted to do. “I just wanted to know what you thought?”

I smile brightly at him, a little surprised he’s thinking of me before making his decision.

“I think you should do it. You’ve always wanted to act more.”

“I um,-” He trails off, hand moving up to scratch at his ear timidly. “I’d be gone for about two weeks and they want me to leave as soon as possible because they’re already filming.”

A small part of my heart drops, thinking of being alone in his big house but then I tell myself to be rational. I’m a grown woman for Pete sake. Or is it the fact I’ll be sleeping alone that's gnawing in the pit of my stomach?

“I’ll be fine, Justin...” I say before I even really think about it.

“Will you, Caroline?”

I swallow thickly, the way he asks this causing my heart to beat rapidly against my chest. The way he’s looking into my eyes. I try to choose my words carefully.

“Yeah, I’ve got work to keep me busy.” I say softly, looking anywhere but his eyes.

He nods, bowing his head a little before his hand falls onto the table dangerously close to mine.

“About last night,-”

I interject before he can continue, a practiced defence mechanism.

“You don’t have to explain yourself.”

Instantly I hate myself the second the words leave my lips as I watch his face fall and I feel his fingers caress mine, where it lies on the table.

“Explain myself? Last night wasn’t just some excuse for a lay, Caroline.” He defends fiercely and it still hurts me to look at him. “Is that all you think it was?”

His voice has gotten softer by now and I’m trying so hard to ignore the thudding of my heart, ready to beat out of my chest.

I feel my hand being lifted in his, his long fingers lacing through mine as his warm lips come into contact with my knuckles.

“Babe, I thought you knew me better than that...” He says, looking at me brokenly.

I look back at him, silently willing myself not to get emotional.

“I do.” I say, trying to sound calm.

He leans across the small table, keeping hold of my hand as the other one comes up to brush against my cheek, forcing me to look into his blue eyes.

“Then you would already know that last night never would have happened if I didn’t feel something more for you.”

“You do?” I question dumbly, needing to hear it from him before I let myself get into this any further.

“Yes, Carebear. I’m sorry it had to happen this way but it did.”

My hand comes up to cover his as a tear finally escapes the corner of my eye and as I reach up to brush it away his thumb is already there against my skin. The way he’s saying all of this, like it’s all so easy. Apparently I’m the only one thinking rationally.

“I just hope you’ll accept that I’m.. confused about all of this. I’m going to need some time.”

He nods, his hand dropping from my cheek but still staying close to mine on the table and I can clearly see the small pang of hurt on his handsome face before he whispers.

“Don’t shut me out, babe. Whatever you do, please don’t push me away.”

I nod, thanking my lucky stars as our waitress comes over just in time with our food, saving me from any further conversation at the moment.

**
We’re standing out in the lobby of my office, Justin’s hands tucked in the pockets of his pants, looking around almost lost and I can say that this has to be the most unclear and awkward moment I’ve ever spent with him in all the years of our friendship.

I don’t know what to say, where to turn, silently resisting the urge to close the distance between is and kiss the breath out of him.

I cough lightly, trying to break the silence. “So you have a flight yet?”

He shrugs. “I’ll probably leave sometime tomorrow. I’ve gotta go home and pack.”

I nod my heart already quenching at the thought of him not being around but I try to tell myself that this will be good for me. Give me time to think. Some Justin-free living.

“Okay. I better get back to work.”

He nods, leaning forward and placing chaste kiss on my cheek.

“See ya.” He says vaguely before walking away and the horrible feeling I’m left with is enough to be make me want to crawl in a hole and die.

I know how he gets, how relationships are always a serious matter to him and how hard on himself he is. Shit, it’s about ten times worse when it finally sinks in that I’M the one making him feel like this.

Still.. it doesn’t calm my doubts. I need to bury myself in work or something because going back and forth with this is not something I want to continue doing for the rest of the day. I’ve got to get it together.

**

Tap, tap, tap... an hour and eighteen minutes later, again with this damn pen.

Once again, I don’t know what I was thinking coming back here and who I thought I was kidding telling myself I’d be able to work. Yeah right! My mind is still filled with thoughts of Justin, the feel of his skin against mine, the woodsy scent that belongs to him and only him but most of all, the pained look on his face when he left me after lunch.

If last night hadn’t have happened, I wouldn’t have hesitated to get out of work as quickly as I could to go home and help him pack and soak up all the time I could with him before he left. But no.. instead I’m sitting here dealing with a mental war between myself doing my best to ignore this whole situation, ignore anything that has to do with him.

Finally sick of this, I toss my pen on my desk, reaching for my purse and keys making a quick exit from this damn excuse for an escape.

I need to get out of here.

There are plenty of people in LA I know that I could go visit but I let my heart do the driving as I cross the parking garage and make my way into the car.

The drive feels like forever as I stop at the tenth red light before finally meeting my destination and shutting the car off and getting out. I take a deep breath, shutting off my nerves and worries for once and listening to the soft words in my heart.

Coming in through the garage, I kick my heels off by the door, wiggling my feet happily and tossing my purse and keys on the foyer table. I traipse through the house which is surprisingly pretty silent. Making my way up the stairs, I come to the open door towards the end of the hallway and bite my lip nervously.

His large suitcase is open on his bed and partially filled as he stands in front of it, barefoot, folding a pile of clothes. He looks at me wide eyed, not expecting me till much later tonight and I don’t know if surprise is a good thing or not.

I don’t give him a chance to talk, walking up to him as he turns to me, and I push away all the thoughts from my mind, all the worry, the uncertainties, and I listen to my heart, if only for this moment.

My hands slide up his chest, happy to just feel the thud of his heart beat against my palms before I wrap them around his neck, my forehead leaning against his.

“I’m sorry.” I whisper knowing that even if I can’t say anything else, this is what needs to be said most of all.

“It’s alright.” He says, his voice equally soft like mine as I feel his hands rest on my sides moving up and down slowly, sending a shiver through me.

Taking a deep breath, I allow myself to do what I’ve wanted to do all day, all through lunch and several times during our friendship.

Leaning in slightly, I brush my lips against his, as the air  is instantly stolen from my lungs. He reciprocates quickly but I take control, my fingers tangling in the curls at the base of his neck as I set the pace with confidence. I take my time, tasting, brushing, licking, getting lost in the taste of him all over again. The soft hum I feel against my lips lets me know that for once we’re on the same page.

For once in my life, I think I just might know what I want.
Chapter 11 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

Hey loves! Sorry it's been forever since I've updated. My brain sucks these days.. or maybe I'm just not pushing enough. haha I hope you all are still reading. I kinda love these two! 

Special thanks to my muse for pushing me to get this chapter finished! 

You Get Me Through

Chapter 11


My eyes are heavy as I lean back against the seat, glancing out of the window of the plane and watching the clouds roll by. A part of my heart can’t help but push out the feeling of void, something that began the moment I stepped out of the car early this morning and kissed Caroline goodbye.

I finally give in to the heavy feeling, my lashes fanning against my face as I close my eyes to shut out the rest of the world. Sleep will do the trick right? I highly doubt it. While I’m ecstatic to be doing my first big movie, and or at least have a roll in it, I can’t help but think who I’m leaving behind and all the things that are yet still up in the air.

There’s on thing for sure though and that’s the mere fact that I feel like I’m slowly falling for my best friend.

Yesterday morning was awkward as hell. Watching her walk out of my house after we’d made love then to feel the sudden distance from her all through lunch, through every touch to the point where I could read the hesitation all over her face. I’m still not a hundred percent sure of what’s going on in her mind. For all I know, she could simply be testing out the waters. A part of me still asks myself if I’m even good enough for her.

But all  that uncertainty seemed to fall by the wayside the moment she came home early from work. I swear everything in my world stopped and it reminded me exactly why I love Caroline so damn much.

My mind is flooded back to just a few short hours ago, to yesterday. I was packing, preparing to leave and let this thing with us just work itself out, convinced that it would all be too much and Caroline just wasn’t ready to see where it could go.. or maybe that I wasn’t what she wanted. That was until she came home early from work, walking into the bedroom with her eyes so fierce, so determined, so full of guilt and sorry.  I can still remember the knot in my stomach, wondering if she was going to let me know she was giving up but that didn’t seem to be the case.

Her green eyes watered as she apologized- and for what I’m still not sure but the kiss that followed seemed to push all my thoughts under the rug. That kiss meant everything to me. In fact, it gave me some hope and something to hold on to.

**
“I’m sorry.” She says softly, almost as whisper.

My mind is jarred, wondering if this is going to be the end of us but I’m weak and I know I want the woman standing in front of me.

“It’s alright.” I say, my voice soft but unsure. I just want to know why she’s home early, why she’s standing in front of me and how long it will be until I can kiss her again.

My mind doesn’t wonder much longer as I feel her hands inch up my chest, before they tangle in my hair and not a beat later, her lips are softly grazing mine. The air is quickly taken from my lungs and it’s all I can do to remain up words.

I kiss her back, my lips trying to take control but she quickly lets me know that she’s in charge right now and all I can do is simply sit back and enjoy the ride. My hands go to her hips, wanting her as close to me as I can possibly get.

Her lips take on a mind of their one, going back and forth from a soft brush to a deeper caress. When I feel her tongue graze the seam of my lips, my hands instantly go to her face, holding her to taste her completely. The scent of her is once again all around me and I can’t help but feel whole by it. I can’t help but to keep asking myself why I didn’t see any of this sooner, or why I pushed it aside for so long. Feeling romantic things for your best friend happens to everyone right?  I quickly forget about it, as I feel her tongue brush against mine softly, as a moan escapes my lips. I shiver as I feel her nails scrape gently across my scalp and I know Caroline knows exactly what that does to me.

I pull her blouse from her skirt, desperate for the feel of her skin against my own. My thumbs skim against her hip bones once I get it free as she takes a step back, both of us panting. Her face instantly goes into my shoulder, breathing slowly as my hands move to the small of her back, moving in slow circles.

“You’re home early, Carebear.” I voice, not wanting to ask exactly what this is about.

“I just wanted to spend some time with you until you left.”  She says, her voice muffled against my neck.

“Yeah?”  I ask, my voice unsteady and unsure as I swallow the lump in my throat.

“Yeah. Is that okay?”

I pull back, softly forcing her to look at me, as my blue eyes crash into uncertain blue ones.

“I can’t think of any other person I’d rather be with.”

The shy smile that creeps upon her kiss swollen lips sends that deep thud back to the center of my chest and I can’t prevent it as I lean forward, kissing her softly once again, desperate for the taste of her.

“I need to go change out of these clothes real quick.”  She says, pulling back and turning to the door.

“I can help you with that,” I voice, memories of previous events flooding my memory. “You can um, you can grab a t-shirt and some shorts or something from my closet.”  

She turns back to me, her hand reaching for mine as I take the opportunity to slide my fingers through hers, mentally noting how well they fit together. She pulls me in across the bedroom to my closet, reaching for a light blue t-shirt stacked on top of one of the dressers. Her nimble fingers reach for the buttons of her blouse but I push them away, replacing them with my own.

I can feel her eyes burn into mine and as I look up, I see something in her eyes I haven’t seen before but I don’t know the right words to define it. My hands push the shirt from her body as it falls to the floor and I can’t stop my fingers as they graze her shoulders, to the side of her ribs, to the dips of her abdomen. She shivers slightly as I reach up to unclasp her bra, watching as it falls with her shirt. Her arms come up, shielding her body from me and I quickly reach for them, pulling them away.

“You’re beautiful.” I say, leaning in and brushing a kiss across her shoulder, slowly dotting her skin until I reach her lips.

I smile as she shivers again, her hand going to rest on the side of my face and I take my time, drinking her in slowly, mesmerized by each inch of exposed skin. It’s all so new to me, yet so familiar. I reach for the t-shirt, watching as she holds her arms out, allowing me to slide it over her frame, smiling as I watch it come down to the top of her thighs. My hands reach for her hair, carefully pulling it out, running my fingers through it gently. I watch as she reaches behind her for the zipper of her skirt and it quickly pools at her feet and she steps out of it.

I expect her to search for a pair of shorts but instead, she takes half a step closer, her arms wrapping around my waist, cheek resting against the strong thud of my heart as my arms instinctively come around her.

“Do you need to finish packing?”  She asks, bringing me out of my reverie.

“I was just about done when you got home.”

“Okay. Are you hungry?”

I laugh slightly, seeing her try to fill the void between us.

“We just ate lunch a few hours ago, babe. Why don’t we just chill out?”

I watch as she bites her lip in indecision. “Alright.”

She trails me back into the bedroom as I quickly finish stuffing the last pile of clothes into my massive suitcase before zipping it up and moving it over to by the door.

“Come here.” I say, as she pads the short distance to me, coming underneath the outstretched arm I’m holding out for her.

I walk to the bed, pulling her down with me as I prop my head up on the pillows, her head going to rest against my chest, my fingers going back to run through the strands of her hair as she hums softly. I smile, content to just hold her as silence takes over the room. Neither of us speak for what seems like forever until I break the quiet.

“You awake?”

“Mmmhmm. Just enjoying the moment.”  She says easily.

“Do you want to talk?”  I voice, holding my breath.

She looks up at me slightly from her place on my chest.

“I don’t know if I have the right words, Just.”

“They don’t have to be the right words, Carebear. Sometimes all that matters is that you say something.”

I hear her sigh and feel it graze my arm.

“I’m scared.”

This sounds a little foreign coming from my best friend. She’s one of the most strongest people I know, inside and out.

“Of?”

She sits up, tucking her legs beneath her as she looks down, tucking her hair behind her ear nervously.

“Of us Justin.”

I reach for her hand, lacing our fingers together once again.

“It’s okay to be scared but don’t you think we at least deserve a chance? At least to try?”

“I guess so.” She voices hesitantly.

“Caroline, I need to know that this isn’t just me feeling all of this. I need to know that I’m not dragging you along here.”

Her eyes widen and her next move catches me off guard a little as she crawls into my lap, her legs splayed out on each side, as her forehead comes to rest against mine.

“No Justin, your not the only one feeling this. Your just better at voicing it. I love you more than words can say but I’m wondering if risking this is worth losing everything we’ve built.”

The knot in my throat returns and I’m slowly starting to understand.

I reach up, looking her in the eye, trying to wash away all the fear, the uncertainties, the doubt, as I kiss each of her eyes.

“Can you do me a favor then?” I ask, feeling as though everything is being ripped from under my feet. At her nod, I take a deep breath before continuing. “Can you please give us a try? Just give us a chance Carebear, for me, please. I love you too much to not give us a try.”

I didn’t even realize how shaky my voice had come out until those last few words. I hold my breath, waiting for her to reply.

I feel the firm press of soft lips against mine as I lean forward, my own moving slowly with hers. When she pulls apart, I see blue eyes glassed over with tears.

“Yes Justin. If I was going to risk it all and give this a chance for anyone, it’d be you and you’re right. I owe this to you, to us.”

I can’t stop myself as I kiss her once again, this time all the fear, the worry, the love coming out and pouring into the kiss. I keep it soft but strong as our lips tease and nip at one another, tongues brushing and tasting, feeling the sparks shoot through me from head to toe. My hands creep up under her shirt, caressing the skin of her back and sides, desperate for the feel of her skin against my own. It’s not long before I feel her own fingers inching the fabric of my t-shirt up, tearing her lips from mine to pull it off my head.

I slide down the bed, laying flat on my back as she follows me, laying easily at my side, tucking against my body. Her forehead comes to rest against mine once again, her breath fanning across my face as she leans in smoothly for another kiss like she’s been doing this for a long time. Her hands trace my chest, my sides, my back, before they lock themselves around my neck, holding us closer together.

It’s then that I know that this has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with taking things between us slow. She’s walking on uncharted territory and willing to give us a chance and for that I’ll have to give her the best of my heart in return.

I can’t screw this up. I won’t. I love her too much to throw it all away. Everything we’ve built is on the line for something as silly as love. Deep down, I know she’s worth it. I wouldn’t be here today if it weren't for her. From here on out it’s my job to give her my heart and in return hope she’ll do the same for me.

Placing one more kiss on her lips, her head resumes it’s place on my chest, her ear against the thud of my heart, as my arms go around her, holding her against me, as I begin to dread the fact that I have to leave tomorrow.

I close my eyes, trying to breath her in, trying to savor this silence between us but it’s a good silence. We’re slowly moving forward and even though I can’t predict the future, I know that right now shes by my side and she’s mine.

Hopefully I’ve got what it takes to make this work. I realize that maybe this is why all my past loves have failed. Everything I’ve ever need and all I’ll ever want was standing right in front of me.

**

I smile, gazing out the window once again, reminiscing yesterday with her and I know that whatever happens, it’s something I’ll hold close to my heart forever. To finally feel free to touch her and kiss her and hold her close to me with nothing in between us. And that’s how we spent the evening. Putzing around the house, watching movies, making dinner together and just enjoying the simplicity of being together without having to hold back. Sex wasn’t even brought into the picture last night and that’s fine with me. The fact that we can hold back lets me know that this actually has a chance because it’s not just lust. With us, it’s more about love and I was more than happy to fall asleep with her in my arms.

It kills me that I have to leave her so soon when this is all so fresh and new and so uncertain, but if anyone out there understands my life and the chaos of it, it’d be Caroline. I just hope that in the end, she decides that not only am I her best friend, but also that I’m worth this roller coaster we’re about to ride.

I finally give in to my heavy eyes, reaching into my carry on bag for my iPod before sticking my ear buds in and pressing play. I lean back against my seat, closing my eyes as the faint scent of her still lingers on my sweatshirt as she hugged me goodbye this morning and her beautiful face fills my dreams.

It’s only a few weeks. I can do this.

 

Chapter 12 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

Hey loves! I'm trying to get the ball rolling with this story because I have way too many other ideas and I fear I'll just push this one to the side so I'm trying to finish it. Please stick with me through the more 'less exciting' chapters. It's always hard to write when your characters are never in the same room and or state. lol This chapter is merely to give you and inside look on Caroline's indecision. 

But yes, I'll stop rambling. Please read and enjoy and be sure to leave your imput. I'm always open to suggestions :)  

You Get Me Through

Chapter 12.


Five days, a lot of minutes and some odd seconds later

Things since Justin has been gone have been...interesting to say the least. I thought I would get through this and it wouldn’t even phase me, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ve buried myself in my work, so close to finishing this project and it’s been about the only thing helping me through this even though Justin’s not far from my mind.

I try to work as long as I can, until I can’t keep my eyes open and my colleagues kindly demand I go home. Yes, everything is fine until I get home. I don’t know what I was thinking agreeing to live in this massive house all by myself. When I say massive, I mean it. Whenever I’ve visited, there have always been a handful of people coming or going so it made it feel not so vast. Even having just Justin and I here had once solved that problem but when it’s just me all alone, it feels like I’m living in a mansion.

A lonely mansion with constant reminders of Justin everywhere.

Now I told myself I wasn’t going to be a weepy pathetic girlfri- or I don’t even know what we are but I promised myself I wasn’t going to be ‘that girl.’ Like I said, I’ve buried myself in my work whenever possible, I’ve spent my fare share shopping and wallowing my thoughts and sorrows in buying clothes and make up, but at the end of the day, the void, the hesitation and confusion is all still there. I’ve took advantage of laying out by the pool and sunbathing but that only fills a small amount of time.

I told myself that maybe I needed to stop sleeping in his bed because it’s only a constant reminder of the fact that he’s not here right now and the line we crossed last week. Then there are nights where I feel pathetic and I miss him and his scent is everywhere. Those are the nights I find the most comfort. Even though he’s gone, I still feel him close to me, smell him as I drift off to sleep. A part of me tells myself that I’d still be feeling like this if we were still just friends because even then, I loved him. I still do, it’s just that I love him in a way I’m not sure I’m suppose to right now.

I need to clear my head and stop stressing. I’m starting to annoy even myself.

Glancing in the mirror, I pull my hair into a messy bun wondering why on earth I care about what I look like right now. I’m all by myself. I laugh, glancing at my favorite baggy gray sweats I put on, along with a t-shirt and a red hooded sweat shirt that happens to be, shit.. Justin’s.

Maybe I need rehab or something.

I laugh at myself before leaning down and inhaling it deeply, smiling as the spicy, woodsy scent of him envelopes me and yeah, it’s not the real deal but it will do for now.

I track my bare feet along the plush carpet down the two flights of stairs, through way too many rooms before I make my way to the kitchen to make some tea. Maybe I’ll watch a movie. That’s always a good distraction, right?

Walking into the living room, I plop down on the expensive white leather couch and cross my legs Indian style before flicking on the TV and choosing a movie. I’m not even through the opening credits when my cell phone rings loudly on the coffee table where I’d tossed it when I got home. Hearing the familiar song of ‘Sexyback’ (yes, a sick joke Justin did to my phone before he left), I laugh and roll my eyes as I try to ignore the way my heart skips a beat before bringing it to my ear.

“Hello?”

“Hey babe.” He says, his voice thick and sleepy.

“Hey you. How are you doing?”

I hear a heavy sigh escape him and rustling around in the background. It’s late in New York.

“Fine. Tired.”

“Then why aren’t you sleeping?” I urge knowing how he’ll go until he’s sick if he doesn’t sleep right.

“I will. I just, I wanted to talk to you first.”

I don’t miss the seriousness in his voice, the sleepy tone it’s got to it and I picture him laying there in bed in some hotel.

“Okay,” I breathe.

“How have you been?”

I shrug knowing he can’t see me but contemplate giving him my real answer or the answer he’s going to hear regardless.

“Fine. Just vegging out, watching a movie.”

He chuckles softly after that. “Are you wearing your sweatpants?”

“Yes,” I voice knowing he’s going to make fun of me. “Those are the best vegging out clothes.”

“I figured. I pictured you sitting on the sofa watching movies, your hair pulled up, pop corn by your side,” He laughs as I scoff because he’s right. “So you still holding down the fort?”

Of course all by my lonesome. “Yeah, I guess. It’s still ten times bigger when you’re in it alone.”

“I hear that.” He agrees, cut off by a yawn.

“How’s the movie going?”

“It’s going. I didn’t think it’d be this tiring. Acting is some hard shit.”

I laugh slightly. “That’s what you get for wanting to do it all Mr. Versatile.”

“Yeah, well somebodys gotta do it.” He snides, his voice full of cockiness.

“And it just had to be you.” I laugh, rolling my eyes.

“Well there is only one me.”

“Yes, yield to thy arrogant one, now.” I  tell him because it’s true. He needs to be reminded every now and then.

“You love me anyways, right?” He asks, his voice deep and now serious.

It’s not far from my mind to give him an equally cocky reply but my heart strings pull at me.

“You know I do.”

He yawns once again and I can hear him shifting around again. “Good cuz you know I love you too.”

I hate that my heart skips a little when he tells me this. Not even three weeks ago he’d tell me this on a daily basis as my best friend and it was always nice to hear but before it didn’t have this much affect on me. I think I always pushed it aside. I always told myself I wasn’t suppose to feel like this.

“Shouldn’t you be getting some sleep soon?” I ask, changing the subject.

“Yeah, I’m gonna get going. I just wanted to see how you were.”

“Thanks. Still in once piece.”

He laughs, cut off by another yawn. I try not to picture adorable, sleepy Justin but it’s inevitable.

“Good. I’ll talk to you soon, babe.”

And there’s that darn simple pet name he’s taken to calling me again and I’d be lying if I said it didn’t melt me into a big puddle of goo. I hate that I’m so weak when it comes to him.

“Night Justin.”

And with that, I hang up my phone and resume my movie and when I doze off on the couch halfway through the middle, it’s Justin that’s on my mind as I dream.

**

Eight days, even more minutes and some odd seconds later

I don’t know how much more of this I can take. I’ve just come home from work, the house empty and quiet and I’m fighting the pull of keeping my eyes open. Our conversations have been less and less and when we do talk, it’s always a “Hi, how are things going, blah blah blah.” type of deal.

I told myself that I refuse to discuss our ‘relationship’ over the phone even though Justin drops little hints every now and then but I’m so lost these days. Several of them remind me so much of our shameless conversations before we ‘crossed the line’ as I like to call it. All I know is that this is hard without being face to face. Really hard. I find myself wondering why it had to be now that he had to whisk off to New York to do this movie and why he couldn’t wait and do one that wasn’t already filming.

Then I remind myself that he’s Justin Timberlake and he’s multi-talented and will do whatever the hell he wants. Right now, I want to be selfish and figure out where all of this is going to go between us because I know I can’t keep living here in his house, all by myself wondering.

As much as I love Justin, I guess I never looked at his career from every angle possible if I were to let this thing with him and I continue. Of course seeing him on the front page of some gossip magazine with his co-star didn’t exactly kick my day off to a good start. Then there were clips on TV and random photos of him going here and there with different girls from the movie and for some reason they just rubbed me the wrong way.

Now, yes I know he’s going to be rumored to ‘sleeping’ with every female he’s photographed with and I know deep down that he’s probably not doing anything with them but the question still lingers in my mind when I fall asleep at night. He’s already told me that he loves his his co-stars and everyone on the set but then again he’s a people person. I bet they all flock to him because well- who wouldn’t? He’s one gorgeous man.

I’ve seen the girls he’s dated over the years and how they’ve walked all over him and eventually broke his heart but I guess I just don’t feel like I’m ranked that high in his trophy case of women. Again, here I go doubting myself. I just know that I was always there to pick up the pieces left behind by women who have hurt him and I’m wondering where we turn if anything like that ever came between us. If I lost Justin, I’d lose it all.

Ugh.

I run a hand over my tired face as I lay in bed, trying to fall asleep, trying to will away the questions and concerns that keep running through my head at a speed I can’t keep up with. I’ve made up my mind that once Justin gets home that we’ll finally talk about us. I won’t put it off any longer and look at him with confused eyes. I’m a grown woman and it’s time we get down to the bottom of this.  

I only wish I wasn’t counting down the time every day.

Just two more days. I can do it, right?

**
My eyes crack open, annoyed by my phone on the bedside stand ringing loudly. I glance at the clock and fight the urge to let out a strangled cry. Six twenty-two in the morning. Are you kidding me Justin?

I reach for the nuisance, my voice heavy with sleep as I answer.

“Hello?”

“Morning Carebear. Sorry to wake you so early.”

“Mmmm.” Is the only thing I can voice.

“I love your lack of enthusiasm in the morning.” He laughs knowing I’m not a morning person.

“What did you need?” I ask, wishing I could punch him right now.

“Am I not allowed to call you just to hear the sound of your voice, babe?”

And there he goes, trying to butter me up. Maybe he’s calling to tell me he’s coming home early or perhaps he’s at the airport now and wants me to pick him up.

“Cut to the chase, Timberlake.”

He laughs softly, his voice way too chipper for this hour in the day or morning.

“I just missed you. I wanted to talk.”

My heart goes to him, trying to wake myself up more. I’m reminded of the countless phone conversations we’ve had throughout our friendship. Back in the day when he was on tour with the guys, the first time he went solo and was terrified all the time to the downtime during coutless interviews and photo shoots. I was always there. I was always willing to talk to him. It was always me who saw him through.

I yawn a little, holding my phone up to my ear. “Okay. What’s going on?”

“Not much,” He says softly. “We’re taking a break from shooting right now. I just thought I’d give you a call and see how you were.”

“Well I was sleeping peacefully until now.”

“Cranky are we?” He questions, his voice laced with humor. “If I was home, I’d change that really quick.”

My breathing hitches quickly, wondering if he just made a sexual joke. I mean it wouldn’t be the first time but it’s a first since we- shit. Yeah, since we..

Why is this so hard for me to say? We slept together. Made love. Had sex. There. Still, my usual snarky comebacks are lost. Probably because I never figured I'd be saying these words when it came to Justin and I. That’s not how we were.

“Oh yeah?”

“Yup. I’ve got ways.” He says and I can tell he’s smiling just by the tone of his voice.

“Seriously, did you take an extra dose of cocky today?”

“Speaking of that,...”

“Justin!” I interrupt him, knowing exactly where he was headed. “What’s gotten into you?”

He laughs softly. “I was just messing around with you. Cheer up a little bit, babe.”

I let out a sigh, happy to see he’s in a good mood. “Do you know when you’re going to be done out there yet?”

“Another day or so,” He answers and I can tell there is hesitation in his voice. “I um, there was something I wanted to talk to you about.”

“Oh yeah?” I can tell this is bad news. I can feel that nagging feeling in my stomach.

“Yeah, I got a call asking me to work on producing some songs for someone.”

I feel my heart drop before I find my voice.

“Really?” I ask, trying to sound excited but I fail miserably.
“When?”

“I’d probably have to leave when I’m done shooting out here. They’re writing and recording in Miami.”

Oh so far away from LA. As much as I want to be happy for him, I can’t. Just the mere fact of hearing he’s got another project he wants to do makes me see any and all thoughts of us farther and farther away. I guess I was crazy to think that once the tour ended he would settle down.

“And you’re going to go?”

He’s quiet for a moment and I can hear the hesitation in his voice.

“I think so. I mean, I want to but-”

I use that opportunity to interrupt him which I know he hates.. “Then you should go.” I respond, trying to keep my voice even. And there I go again, supporting him even when it hurts me.

“Okay, but I won’t be long. I few days maybe. I’m just going to do a few songs or something. Mess around and see if the vibes are right.”  

I bite my lip, knowing better. It won’t just be a few days or a few songs. He’ll get wrapped up in another project because he’s Justin and he’s an anal perfectionist. He’s got talent that goes beyond the moon and the stars and he won’t be stopped.

“Sure.”

“Carebear, what’s wrong?” He asks, his voice concerned.

“Nothing Justin. I’m going to get going though. I’ve got to get ready for work.” I say, even if it’s not true. He doesn’t need to know that.

“Okay. I’ll call you back later?”

“Sure. Whatever.”

I try not to picture his face visible with hurt. I try to not think about the confusion running through his mind at the moment because what I’m feeling could easily be multiplied by a hundred. For once I’m thinking about myself.

“Hey..,” He breathes. “I miss you.”

I close my eyes, letting his words soak in as I bite my lip, telling myself to be strong, telling myself for once not to crumble.

“Bye Justin.” I say before ending the conversation and tossing my phone back on the night stand. I can’t keep doing this. I refuse to live my life with hesitation and wonder and waiting to figure these thoughts and I’m never going to know the answer if he’s always gone and I’m always left waiting. There is no reality in that.

Sure, I could suck up my pride and call him back and we could discuss this thing with he and I over a telephone but that doesn’t seem right. We’ve been through so many ups and downs while he was in god only knows what state or city and the telephone was always our main connection.

But this is different. This is about he and I taking or friendship to a not so friendship level and I deserve to see look into his eyes to see if this is real and if it’s what he and I want. I look around the bedroom, still slightly dim in the early hour and all I see are Justin’s things. I smell him enveloped around me as I once again woke up his bed this morning. Maybe I should sleep in a different room but I know the reminder will only follow me wherever I go. I may be crazy but in even in the midst of all this, I still crave his presence around me. He’s my comfort and my sounding board. Only now, I need to do this without him, at least until I know what I really want.

I guess I could have a swallowed my pride and tried to figure all of this out before he left but I honestly didn’t have an answer. I was kind of blind sided by what took place between he and I and though I don’t regret a second of it, I just don’t have the right answer yet. I think Justin knew that too because even though I didn’t have the right words to say and he could still see my hesitation, he was still there and he still held me. He always seems to know what I need even when I don’t know myself.

My daily countdown to when he was going to be home has quickly fallen aimlessly from my mind and right now I don’t even care to think about him and I. I want to be selfish for once. I’ve always been the one there for him and when all I wanted was him home to discuss us, to see if he really had a chance, he’s gone again and off to the next project, just like he always his.

Can I keep doing that to myself? Live with a boyfriend who’s gone a majority of the time? I refuse to keep up my theory of traveling with him all the time. Sometimes I feel it makes me look pathetic and lonely to always be there for him. I have a life of my own. A house, a job, all that I’ve clearly put to the wayside to accommodate being there for Justin. But then I think back to those moments, the phone calls, the late night and early morning flights and I remind myself that he has never forced me to being there. I went because I cared. I went because I love him.

From my toes all the way to the top of my head, I love him. He’s my best friend and has gotten me through some really bad times in my life as I’ve done the same for him. He’s my crutch and my right hand and I’d do anything for him.

Right now, I just feel like there is too much on the line to risk. Almost a lifetime of friendships to possibly toss it away to see if we can do this on a different level.

Then my mind is flashed back once again to the a few weeks ago and the moments we spent making love and how I don’t really regret it. I think about him holding me so carefully the day before he left even when he knew I didn’t have the right words and he could tell I was afraid. I think of his soft caresses and his gentle grazes and his lips against my own. I think about that certain smile that causes my stomach to flutter and the mere scent of him that puts me takes me to a level of comfort no one else can give me. I think about the love I feel whenever I’m around him. I know he loves me...I just don’t know if it’s enough for us.

And here I am, still torn in my own thoughts and emotions. I know deep down that I just need some time to myself. Some time away from this house and all the constant reminders of Justin so I can clear my head and figure out what it is I really want. The revelation hits me quickly as I toss the covers back and walk across the bedroom to find my suitcase. I’m never going to know if this is real if I’m always the one waiting. I’m strong, independent and can walk on my own two feet. It’s been forever since I let a man this close to my heart and it’s a little overwhelming. Love does crazy things to us and I’m not sure I’m ready to be sucked into that again. I need to go home and get back to my normal every day life.

For once, I’m going to be a little selfish and figure this one out on my own.

 
Chapter 13 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

Well, What can I say? I've worked REALLY hard on this chapter trying to get across every emotion I saw for these two. In typical fashion for me, I saw the ending first when I decided to start this story back up. I should have one more chapter after this unless something magical happens and I decide to run with it even longer but we'll see.. 

I hope you all enjoy this because it took me forever to write. Feedback is always loved :) 

You Get Me Through
Chapter 13.

"Hey," I breathed softly. "I miss you."

"Bye, Justin." I hear her say numbly before the line went dead.

All I got was a simple heartless ‘bye' and that was a little over twenty-four hours ago. My mind was still trying wrap around it. I know heart had sank as I pulled my cell phone back from my ear looking at it blankly. I thought I could hear something off in Caroline's voice through out our short conversation but I pushed it aside. I did after all wake her up but I figured her mood would quickly change. Even in her bad moods, she's always given me a ‘Miss you too' or at least an ‘I love you, too' regardless of what was going on between us. There were so many things I wanted to say but I couldn't, so many thoughts that had been running a mile a minute these two weeks I had been away but that didn't matter because Caroline refused to discuss anything to do with "us" over the phone.

In a way I couldn't fault her because everything was so new and up in the air. For a moment I thought we were on the same page right before I left as I held her and she clung to me. It felt so right if only for a little while, but then work called and I had to leave but she's used to it. She knows how my life is. She's use to the chaos. I tell myself that maybe I shouldn't have left so soon but she seemed okay with the idea and even happy for me. Still, I got the feeling there was something she wasn't telling me.

I quickly begin moving around my hotel suite, packing my clothes, thankful that I finished up all my scenes for this movie a little earlier than planned. I slowly regretting even doing this but then I remember how much of a perfectionist I am and how long I've waited for an opportunity to act in a real movie. I wish sometimes that I didn't care so much.

I roll my eyes, pinching the bridge of my nose, already sick of the number of times I've checked my cell phone, silently hoping for a missed call, a voicemail, a text.. something. Something to let me know Caroline is okay. I try to rewind our conversation from this morning, begging my mind to think clearly, wondering what in the hell I could have said. When nothing comes to me, I'm reminded of that fact that I'm a guy and I'll admit, sometimes we're pretty dense.

Doing another quick glance, I walk slowly around my room, making sure I have everything before calling down to the front desk for a taxi. I grab my suitcase and my jacket, making sure my phone is my pocket before exiting my hotel room. Here I go again.. a traveling nomad.
**
I walk through the busy airport at JFK, my red sweatshirt zipped up and hood pulled over my head as I try to blend in. There's a dull ache sitting in my chest that's been there for the last twenty-four hours and it kills me that I can't make it alright, right this second. It's times like this where I really hate what I do for a living. I take a seat at my gate, away from everybody else and jump when I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket.

"Hello?" I voice, holding my breath.

"Hey jackass," Trace replies and I roll my eyes, my heart sinking a little. "How's the movie going?"

"I'm done and uh, it was fine." I say keeping my head low.

"What's next?"

"I'm probably going to work on some songs for a movie soundtrack in Miami."

"Sounds good," He says. "You love the work."

Until now I say silently, cursing myself. My leg bounces nervously, thoughts getting crisscrossed in my head by this whole situation.

"Yeah," I say, just to appease him. "Have you been over to the house lately?"

"I was there yesterday actually, picking up one of my jackets I left over there, why?"

I swallow, taking a deep breath as I try not to give anything away.

"Did you talk to Caroline?" I question, holding my breath as I wait for an answer.

"She wasn't there."

My hands scrub over my face as I sit up a little bit, trying to calm the thudding in my heart. I know she didn't work have to work. I tell myself not to jump to any conclusions though even though a bad feeling is slowly taking over the pit of my stomach.

"Did you get a hold of her?"

"Yeah, she said she was going home." He says and my eyes widen, a heavy pang hitting me hard.

"She went home?" I ask, my voice weak and pained.

"Uh yeah, why? What's going on Justin?"

"Nothing, look Trace, I gotta go. I'll talk to you later." I say, hanging up my phone and shoving it in my pocket.

I grab my duffel bag and stand, slinging it over my shoulder and quickly leave the gate area as my heart thuds loudly in my chest, causing my ears to ring. Am I really this dumb? It seems all my relationships somehow end up falling to pieces and I wonder if all of them are my fault. Did I not give enough? Did I not try? The feeling sits heavy on my chest as a dull ache settles in my stomach. Relationship or not, I refuse to let Caroline go. At least not without a fight.

When I finally make it to the ticket counter, I can hardly form the right words to the lady behind the counter.

"I need to change my flight please."
**
I walk up slowly to the familiar door with a knot in the middle of my stomach. The feeling of fear, anger, love and hurt all still lingering inside of me. Should I just go in like I always do? No, I need her to answer the door and see the look in my eyes. I want her to know what this is doing to me, to us.

I scratch the back of my neck nervously as I hear footsteps coming closer. Holding my breath, all my words die on my tongue the second she appears before me. Her long hair light brown hair is tied back in a messy ponytail, strands that have fallen out frame her face. She's dressed in her usual- black sweat pants and a gray hooded sweatshirt but it's not her attire that causes all words to fail. It's the look on her face. Dark circles lay under her blue eyes and her entire form looks amazingly gorgeous but tired and worn out.

"Justin.." She says in surprise, leaning against the door frame.

I place my hands in the pockets of my jeans, knowing that if I don't keep them occupied, that I'll reach out and pull her against me. I've missed her so badly.

"Caroline," I say, staring at her, my eyes never leaving hers as I don't even ask, stepping through door and into her house.

"Wh- what are you doing here?" She questions looking back at me confused and I'd be lying if I said that didn't sting.

"Do I need a reason?"

"I thought you were going to Miami." She states, her voice chilled, crossing her arms across her chest.

I shake my head, walking into her living room, pulling my jacket off and taking a seat on the sofa, waiting for her to follow.

"There uh, was a change of plans."

"Why?" She asks and I sigh hard, seeing how this going to go nowhere quick as she comes to stand across the room by another couch a good distance away from me.

"WHY?" I ask, raising my voice as I stand, coming to stand in front of her. "Maybe it's because the last time we spoke, all I got was a heartless goodbye and nothing after that. Or maybe because I was about to fly across the damn united states and come home to an empty house, wanting to be with you only to find out you just up and LEFT without so much as an explanation, a phone call, anything. Do you have any idea how much I've been worried about you Caroline?"

She shrugs as if unaffected. "I needed time to think, Justin. I couldn't do that living in your house with a constant reminder all around me. Besides, it's not like you had any intentions of coming home soon, anyways."

I scoff, shaking my head. "So this is about me, isn't it? It's all my fault?"

"I didn't say that. Stop being ridiculous." She voices, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms over her chest again.

"What are you so damn afraid of?" I ask, my voice weak and hurt.

"WHAT am I afraid of? Are you kidding me here Justin or are you just really stupid today?"

I bow my head, shocked by her tone. She's put a wall up between us and I can feel it sitting on top of my shoulders, cold and heavy. I guess it's my job to knock it down. I stand, cautiously taking a few steps closer to her, the urge to feel her somehow overwhelming even though she clearly doesn't like me right now. I take a risk, reaching for her hand and lacing her fingers through mine. She takes a small step back but doesn't object. Slowly bringing her hand up to my lips, I place a soft, dry kiss on her knuckles as I speak against them, my eyes holding hers.

"It's just me, Carebear. Let me in."

Her body language changes quickly as closes her eyes a second before they quickly open and she pulls her hand away from my grasp, as she turns her back to me, hugging her arms over her chest once again, using them like a shield to her heart.

"I'm scared of everything, Justin! Don't you get it? There is so much at steak right now. You are my best friend. You're the one who sees me through every up and down in my life, the one who makes me laugh, the one who's hugs can consume all of me, the one man in my life I've loved consistently for so many years and you're just willing to throw it all away for a chance to see if I'm really what you want?"

I swallow the lump in my throat. "If it means I get to love you the way I've wanted to for the last eight years, then yes."

She turns around and looks at me, wide eyes. "Eight years?"

"Yes," I say, risking a chance at moving closer to her. "The feelings have always been there but I never acted on them because of the reasons you just said but no matter how much I tried, the nagging feeling would never go away. You've always been there for me. Through everything, Caroline and we've always been close. Physically and emotionally. Each time I held you, it's always given me hope that maybe one day-- I'll be able to love you like this one day. You've never showed those kind of feelings for me so I took what I could get if it meant being close to you. I always found a sweet comfort in those moments even if you didn't feel the same. I didn't want to break what we had so I accepted you as my best friend- hell you were more that a best friend. You're like a part of my soul."

I see her bite her lip, a visual that's always let me know she's nervous. "You've also have a few serious long term relationships. Your timing was always off. And how do I go about this whole ordeal without feeling like a rebound? I'm always there and we're close. It's like the perfect opportunity for you."

My eyes widened, my own ears not believing her. "A rebound?" I spit out in disbelief. "You think that's all you are to me?"

She shrugs, tucking her hair behind her ears. "Sure feels like it. It's not everyday you sleep with your best friend with little to no explanation and then he fly's across the country to leave you wondering and guessing."

"Dammit, Caroline. I tried to talk to you about this and you shut me out each time. Do you have any idea how much it hurt that morning after when you left for work and wouldn't even look at me? You are the farthest thing from a rebound. I cannot believe you think I'd treat you like that; one of the people in this world that I love the most but I'm sorry if I made you feel like that."

"There was nothing even leading up to it Justin. It was just like everyday and then you started shutting me out and the next thing I know we're in bed together. No explanation other than you needed ‘time' to sort out what was going through your head. Sleeping with me seemed like a little more than ‘sorting' to me."

I cover my hand over my face, my body tired, my limbs heavy and my heart slowly falling into tiny pieces. "I know I didn't go about that in the best way but I went for what I was feeling in my heart," I step forward, my hand moving up to cover her cheek, tipping her chin up to meet my eyes.

"When I woke up with you on the couch that night I had a million thoughts running through my mind and the urge to be close to you was so heavy. I kept telling myself the next morning that I had no idea how we'd been so close for so damn long and had never done anything like before. It may not have happened in the best way Caroline, but everything was real. I don't think I loved you any more then I did then. Thinking about it still takes my breath away."

Bowing her head, she concentrates on the floor, looking at her bare feet before pulling away and dropping down on the sofa heavily, her hands covering her face. "I'm sorry."

I chance it, my heart pounding heavily in my chest as I kneel down in front of her, carefully pulling her hands away from her face. "Don't be sorry. You've gotta stop shutting me out."

"I don't know how, Justin. You're never home so how is that ever going to work? Do you want me to continue following you around the world like some kind of security blanket? How many times do I have to fly out to god only knows where before you realize I'm going to need that too. I have a job and house and I'd like to put down some roots and stay in the same place for a while. Are you going to be able to come to me for a change because I refuse to do this relationship one sided. For once, I want to be the selfish one."

I take a deep breath, processing her words as several of them jab me right in the heart, taking little pieces along with them each time. "I can't promise you where my career will go but dammit, I'd fly anywhere to get to you if you needed me. Do you have any idea how much you mean to me Caroline?" I ask, standing and racking a hand through my hair. "You are one of the most important people in my entire life. I'm sorry my career is the way it is but I can't change it. It's who I am."

"I'm not asking you to change, Justin," She says softly, looking up at me from her place on the sofa, her eyes red and glossy with tears. "I'm asking you to make an effort and know that this will take the two of us in order to work."

"And that's why I love you so damn much. You've always accepted me, just Justin- that awkward kid from a small town in Tennessee who loved to sing and thought he ruled the world. You know my flaws, inside and out and you still love me, flaws and all. You've been my biggest fan from day one, the only person I could and can always count on," I say, taking a step forward and looking down at her lovingly. "And yes, I know a lot of the giving in this relationship will be from me and I realize that. I'll make it work. I love you too damn much to just let this slip away."

She's silent for a second as if she's processing my words.

"If you break my heart-," She says, her eyes shimmering with tears before she stops, gathering her composure. "This isn't like being just friends. Everything is on the line here, Justin."

Closing the space between us and kneel down on the soft carpet in front of her, my throat stings as I hold back my own tears, taking her hands in mine again, this time lacing our fingers together and holding them on her lap.

"Babe, I can't promise that- but you've gotta know that's the last thing in this world I would try to do. Yes, we were friends first and we have something more special than anything but loving you this way adds a wonderful change to our friendship. We won't have to hold back anymore. No walls between us. I know you've been hurt in the past, really hurt," I say, unlacing our fingers and bringing her hands to my cheeks, relishing in the warm feel of her palms against mine skin. "I know you've felt that same pain I've felt from relationships and there were those times where we held each other and cried ourselves to sleep but I think they've made us better. We have always got each other through it, through everything."

I let go of her hands, and my heart beats deep in my chest as they fall to my shoulders but don't move, they stay. Bringing the tips of my fingers up under her eyes, I glance back into sky blue as I brush away the tears, now escaping freely. "I need you to understand something for me," I ask, my voice thick with emotion and shaky. My hands move up, tucking the escaping strands of hair behind her ear and then settling them on her neck, my thumbs grazing her jaw soothingly.. "No one will love you as much as I do. No one else knows you inside and out like me. No one else can read you like an open book or sense your moods like I can."

I finally let out the breath I didn't realize I'd been holding until I look up, her tears now falling silently against her pale cheeks, her eyes bluer than I've ever seen them before as a soft sob escapes the back of her throat. I don't even realize that my own eyes have done the same until I feel her fingers brushing them away for me as her forehead comes down to rest against mine and her arms wound around my neck, fingers tangling in my hair.

"I do love you, Justin. More then you could ever possibly imagine." She whispers, her soft breath falling against my face, as I close my eyes for a second, savoring the warmth of her, and the sweet scent of her as it consumes me. "But I'm trying to tell you that if this goes wrong, I'm terrified of losing you. You mean so damn much to me to just risk it all on a chance at love. That's why I never second guessed my feelings for you. I'd rather have you by my side as my best friend then risk trying to become more and having it all fall apart."

I let out a strangled sound from the back of my throat, knowing she's right. This is a risk. Hell, everything we do in this world is a risk. It's a part of life but I know deep down, she's more than worth it. Something about this feels right.

"If this doesn't work out, I promise you, pinkie swear times infinity and beyond, that if something should happen where we think we should stop, then we'll slowly step away from the romantic part but you're still going to be close to me. You'll still be my best friend that I love more than anything or anyone in this world. There is no way I'm going to let you go though. No way."

She sniffles a little, her hands stilling in my hair, her head still pressed against mine as I feel the soft sweeps of her eye lashes every once in a while.

"I want to try, Justin- more than you could ever know but that doesn't still mean I'm not scared."

I pull my head away from hers, pulling her knees apart and moving in between them, desperate to be closer to her somehow. "It's okay to be scared. I'm scared too, babe," I look into genuine blue eyes, trying to read all of her. "I'm done with touring for a while so that will be out of the way. I've actually been thinking about taking some time off here soon anyways. I think we deserve it, just the two of us."

"There's no turning back." She voices, grabbing my pinkie.

"I don't want to go back. I want this chance for us, from here on out. I want us to let go of all of our insecurities and all our past relationships that didn't work out. I think we owe it to ourselves. And I need you to do something else for me, too."

"What's that, Justin?"

"I need you--who is at times closed off when I can see right through you, to come to me when you're not sure about something. Talk to me and let me know what you're feeling. We can't work if we don't talk it out."

"I know and I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you." She says quietly, her eyes welling up again as her hands move to my biceps. "When we were friends, I swore I could tell you anything and when I started feeling like this, I just couldn't bring myself to say the words so I pushed them aside."

"You said you'd never give up on me, Carebear. We promised each other." I whisper, looking back at her seriously.

The breath is nearly stolen from my lungs as she pushes herself forward, her body enveloping mine heavily as she wraps her arms around my neck, hugging me to her body, her head resting in the crook of my neck and I swear it's right here where I finally start breathing again.

"I'm not going anywhere Justin. I'm not giving up," She voices, her lips speaking quietly against my ear, goosebumps forming all over my skin. "Not on you."

My arms reciprocate, wrapping around her waist and inhaling the scent of her in as my breathing hitches in my chest once again. It had only been a few weeks but I was still starved for her. The feel of her skin, the weight of her body in my arms, the sweet flowery smell of her hair. Time ticked by slowly as we simply held each other, out heart beats beating loudly against the others.

Finally, I pulled back regretfully. "Can I please do something?"

"What's that?" She asks, quirking and eyebrow in confusion.

I move forward, the short distance between us and leaning against her forehead once again. "Can I please kiss you now?"

The soft, seductive smiles she gives me causes my mouth to go dry but she doesn't answer. She simply lowers her head down to mine, kissing each of my eye's as they slide closed against my cheeks. From there, she kisses my nose, then my jaw, trailing her lips in a diagonal line down to my neck as a shiver runs down my spine, causing me to breathe out a quiet moan. Coming back up, I can feel her face in front of me as I open my eyes, glancing back into glossy blue but there's something different that wasn't there when I first arrived. This time they held a gorgeous sparkle to them. All the confusion and the hurt was gone and I saw nothing but love shining through. My lips turn up, smiling at her before I slowly lick my lips, watching as she does the same.

Meeting her half way, I nuzzled my nose with hers gently before leaning in as I press my lips against hers softly, my hands carefully holding either side of her face. Her fingers find their way to my hair again, gently tugging, trying to bring me closer to her. I take my time, pressing my lips to hers slowly, re-learning the unique flavor of her and while it's still new to kiss my best friend this way, to not hold anything back, it was also familiar. Something about kissing her felt right, felt meant to be.

I move slowly, sipping softly, my hands going to her hips and moving under her sweatshirt to feel the warmth of her skin as she moans against my lips. I take the opportunity, deepening the kiss, swallowing her whimper and I don't want to let go. I try to pour out every emotion I feel for her at this moment, all the love, the excitement, the anticipation for what is to come. My heart swells in my chest as I think back throughout our friendship up until now and this moment and I love her so much and it no longer scares me to feel and think this anymore. I pull back reluctantly, desperate for air as a second goes by before she wraps her arms around my shoulders, hugging me close as her cheek falls against the crook of my neck.

"I love you, Jus." She breathes, warming my skin. "I'm sorry."

I pull back just enough to look at her, tipping her chin up so I know shes looking at me and even though her eyes are red and glossed over with tears, she's never looked more beautiful to me then she does right at this moment.

"I love you, Carebear. I'm sorry too. I should have been better and gone about this in a different way." I tell her as I bow my head in regret.

"Hey," She says, catching my attention as she now tips my chin up to look at her. "We both made some mistakes but that's okay. We'll learn and we'll figure the kinks out as we go. We've got each other and that's all we need to make it through."

"You're right. And I'm not going anywhere. Not without you."

I feel her grip on me tighten as she hugs her body against mine right before I feel her lips right below my neck and my body's reaction is almost immediate.

"Let's go to bed."

I swallow thickly, moving back from her grasp as my hand reaches for hers, tugging her up and walking through the house, down the hallway to her bedroom.

We don't say anything as we walk into her room, the only light coming from the small bedside lamp, causing a soft glow to fill the room. She walks to her bed, leaning down to pull back the bedding and I use this as an opportunity to toe off my shoes. When she stands upright again, I snake my hands around her waist, pulling her back against me. Her head lolls back to rest against my shoulder, as I creep the tips of my fingers under her sweatshirt, dancing them across her stomach as she sighs.

I turn my head, brushing my lips against the exposed expanse of her neck, desperate for the taste of her skin. One of her hands reaches up, sliding across my jaw before sliding it through my hair. I turn her around, my hands going to the hem of her shirt, where she willingly holds up her arms, silently giving me permission as I pull it off.

"Is this my hoodie?" I question, tossing it to the floor.

A small smile creeps across her lips as her head dips down, her gaze leaving mine.

"Maybe," She shrugs, avoiding confirmation. "It still smells like you."

My lips turn up smiling, staring back at her. In all her confusion and reasons to leave L.A. to get me out of her thoughts, somehow makes me feel better to know she still kept a part of me close to her.

I look down, seeing the thin white tank top being her only stitch of clothing beneath the sweatshirt she's wearing as my arms move forward, encircling her waist and pulling her against me. Her hands move around my waist, settling at my hips and I shiver as I feel her fingers cautiously brush the seam of my t-shirt before slowly inching up and caressing my skin. I shiver, my eyes sliding shut as she becomes more brave, snaking the tips of her fingers up my sides before moving them around to my stomach before sliding them up my ribs.

Her hands open and it's not long before I feel the brush of her palms, her fingers spread out across my chest, cautiously feeling, learning new territory as I shutter, relishing in the delicious tingles that run through my body. Her hands come to a pause and I open my eyes to find her staring back at me.

"What's wrong, babe?"

"Does this feel weird to you?" She questions.

"Nope. I think it feels pretty natural actually. Why, does it feel weird to you?"

She looks as though she's thinking, like really thinking and I pray she's not second guessing this.

"No. It feels right. I just never thought we'd ever get to this point, ya know?"

I nod, leaning down to place a few kisses along her jaw line.

"We're there babe. I never knew the one person I needed in my life the most was standing right in front of me all this time."

Her long lashes open and she smiles at me and I feel my heart swell with love all over again.

"Me either."

"Besides," I say, grinning at her seductively. "You don't know how many fantasies I've had about you recently."

Her eyes widen in surprise and her hands begin moving again cautiously.

"Yo- you've had fantasies about me?"

My hands move up the side of her tank top, grazing her skin along the way and I grin wickedly at her before leaning down and placing a kiss just below her ear.

"Oh yeah. Quite a few, actually."

"What about?" She asks, her voice uneven.

I lean in, placing a series of kisses along the sensitive column of her neck as my fingers inch the material of her thin shirt up higher, exposing more and more of her skin. "Oh you know, kissing you-like really kissing you, making love to you, waking up with you every morning, not having to hold back."

I can't help but smile as I see the goosebumps form on her skin as her body trembles as I talk against her neck. "Justin..." She gasps out softly, her head lolling to the side to give me better access.

I pull back, grinning down at her, seeing her eyes hooded and a deep shade of blue, love and lust looking back at me.

"What, babe? Are you gonna tell me you've never had any fantasies about me? Never thought about this?"

"No, I have," She confesses, her fingers bunching up my t-shirt until it's under my arm pits. "I just never thought I'd actually get to do anything about them."

I laugh slightly, leaning down to kiss her sensually, happy to be where I am at the moment, overjoyed that she's here with me right now. "Please, feel free to do something."

Licking her lips, she grins something seductive and sexy and I don't even think she realizes it. Her nimble fingers begin tugging my shirt up even higher as I bring my arms up over my head, letting her discard the shirt and toss it aside. She takes her time, skimming her hands up and across my bare chest, over my stomach, down my sides before leaning forward and placing a series of kisses near my collar bone as I try to breathe in oxygen, my body becoming hotter by the second. I feel her arms snake around my waist before she leans forward, hugging me to her and placing her head just below my heart, feeling it thud against her ear.

My hands work up her back, fingers moving up her tank top as I trace the dips of her spine, before reaching her ponytail and gently pulling out the holder, watching her hair cascade down her back. My fingers don't wait before delving in, feeling the soft tresses as she finally glances up at me.

I can't contain myself as I move in, kissing her deeply, my fingers tangling in her hair. Her own hands do the same, grasping onto my neck before diving into my hair. I pull apart for a second, only to discard her tank top, tossing it aimlessly away as our lips meet again, and again in unrestrained passion. The breath is nearly stolen from my lungs as our chests mesh together, skin to skin, feeling her heart to heart with nothing in between us.

When all the teasing became too much, we stumble to the bed, shedding the rest of our clothes in the process. I make sure to take my time, reminding myself that time is only a small factor when it comes to us and that Caroline deserves to know how much I love her with every touch I give. I want to show her what real love can be like. I want to be the only man in her life.

I hold my weight above her, looking down into one of the most familiar and beautiful faces in my life and I'm overwhelmed with what I feel for her. We take our time, sharing kisses, breath, caresses, savoring in the delicious tingles that move through us. Our bodies move together fluidly, as if they know the rhythm and the only sounds that fill the room are the gasps, moans and whispers that escape our lips. My eyes hold hers, trying to read her and feel her heart beat with mine as our body's move rhythmically with one another. When we reach the end, her arms wrap around me frantically, nails biting into my skin and I can see the love she feels for me with every caress she emits and I feel it so deeply that it's almost hard to breathe.

I close my eyes, my body still shuddering as I go to move off of her slightly but her arms encircle my shoulders, keeping me against her. I give in, letting myself rest my weight on top of her as I tuck my face in the crook of her neck, my breathing coming in soft pants and I can feel the deep thud of her heart against me and the slight tremors that move through her body. I suck in a breath as she whispers she loves me while her hands run idly up and down my back, causing me to sigh in content against her.

I kiss just below her ear, once again smiling at the reaction it has on her. "I love you too, babe. So much."

My heart leaps in my chest a little and I can't help but to think how different this moment is from the first time we made love. Before there were so many uncertainties, so many unknowns and so many risks I took, wishing and hoping that my best friend would have the same feelings towards me and that everything would work out as I'd hoped. I know now things don't always go as planned. I was stupid and selfish for going about things that way and not including her on my feelings.

I had her love then, a simple kind of love that came with no strings and no attachments but at the end of the day, I was left feeling empty inside. I wanted all of her and I wanted her heart. Although it took some time and feelings were hurt along the way, walls were broken down and the light was there at the end of the tunnel waiting for us. Waiting for a love I think we always shared, something we never thought about the first time we met all those years ago and I now believe that everything has it's own place and time, and right now is our time to love each other, not only as friends but as lovers, as two souls on their own path, destined to come together, to become one.

 

End Notes:
Thoughts? Suggestions? 
Chapter 14 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

Well, I have to say I'm sad to see this story come to an end already. *cries* I feel like I accomplished everything I set out to do for these two characters and am happy with where it went. I want to thank EVERYONE who's read and reviewed but most importantly, those of you who nominated me for the NF awards. It means so much to me to be recognized for all the work I put into my writing. 

There is a good possibility that you'll see more of these two in the furture so cross your fingers!

In conclusion, go read, review and enjoy. Also, don't forget to vote for me if you like this story :)  

You Get Me Through

Chapter 14


My eyes are fighting slumber but my body just won’t let me sleep. My heart is still thudding heavily against my chest, and my skin is filled with warmth thanks to the head pillowed against my breasts. The bedroom is dark, only lit by the slightness of the moon peeking through my window. Today took an interesting turn of events and I can honestly say by the smile that won’t leave my lips that I am more than grateful.

Seeing Justin show up at my door was something I didn’t expect but it proved a lot of things to me. I already knew he was an amazing man just from being friends with him, but when its you he’s fighting for, it takes on a name of its own. I told myself that this wasn’t right- this thing with he and I and it would never work but something deep inside of me told me otherwise. I may never know if it was the earnest look in his blue eyes, the way he pleaded his case and his love for me, or the soft caresses he brought upon my skin. I just know that each thing pulled my heart a little bit closer to his and apparently that’s all it took to convince me.

I sigh softly as Justin shifts a little, moving slightly and burying his face in the crook of my neck as his breath fans against my skin and I use this opportunity to wrap one arm around his shoulders, smoothing my fingers down the soft expanse of his back and tangling the other in his hair, running my nails across his scalp slowly, knowing he loves it. The sheet that was covering us has fallen, leaving him as my only blanket and seeing just the smallest glimpse of his backside from where it’s fallen.

His eyes are closed, his lashes fanning against his face, and I can’t help the deep thud of my heart seeing the smile that’s taken over his perfect lips. I thought it would be weird...making love to my best friend but, as it turned out, it’s nothing of the sort. It actually felt almost like second nature. I couldn’t help but think how we moved together, predicting the other as our lips moved flawlessly or the way he knew exactly what to do and where to go, causing me to go breathless and my body reminisces at the rush of feelings only Justin can give me. I tighten my grip on him, thinking about the way he took his time, how his blue eyes never looked away from mine and how his fingers stayed laced with my own if they weren’t busy caressing my skin.

It makes me think back to a few weeks ago to when we first crossed that line from friends to lovers and while I don’t regret it one bit, it makes me thankful for this moment- tonight more than ever. People always tell you that a persons eyes can speak a million words and now believe that’s more than true. I’ve always had a good sense when it came to Justin whether it be what he was thinking or what kind of mood he was in and I can say that with all the ups and downs we’ve had to get us here, tonight when he arrived at my door step that the only thing I saw lingering in his blue orbs was love.

I could feel it when he kissed me, feel it when the tips of his fingers grazed my skin causing my skin to shiver, but most of all I saw it clearly as his blue eyes looked back into mine seeing more that I could have ever imagined. I can’t help but to think how lucky I am to have Justin in my life. I know I’ve not always been the most perfect person but he’s always fought for me. He’s gotten me through heartbreak after heartbreak and never once second guessed me. He’s been my shoulder to lean on and my sounding board when I needed to vent. He’s always believed in me. He knows that when times get tough for me I sometimes run and it makes my love for him that much stronger to know that he fought. He’s pushed down walls I’ve built and really stood by my side no matter what. I didn’t believe that this thing with he and I would work or every go anywhere but for the small amount of doubt that I have left, Justin makes up for it with his constant reassurance. I know there are times when I am weak but for what I lack, he makes up my strength. The only beauty in this particular situation is that he loved me enough to chase after me and that makes what we have that much more pure and genuine.

I hear the vibrations of a soft “Hmmm” against my neck as I begin to skitter my nails up and down his spine, knowing exactly what it does to him and this causes me to smile once again. I have so much to say but at the same time I’m happy with the silence. I’m overjoyed to just hold him and soak up this time we have because I know it won’t always be like this. I know there will be times where he’s away and traveling and even though my career has a certain mobility to it, I won’t always be there. I will myself not to think about those times yet to come and savor the now. It’s enough for me. One moment at a time.

One strong arm is wrapped around my waist, the other laying against my back. His body is draped over me and I can’t help but feel consumed by him and feel him take over me. This must be what it feels like to be in love. Not the kind in the movies but real, one hundred and fifty percent sure of what you want in life and right now, I know I want Justin. For years he’s been right in front of me, the one he ran to when times got tough, the one I went to when I needed someone. He was always that one person and it makes my heart to swell to know he’s still here.

I tried to tell myself for years I didn’t feel anything. We were friends and it was as plain and simple as that. Touchy friends. I mean he’s Justin Timberlake. He’s dated actresses and models and I’m just plain old Caroline. I’ve watched them cheat on him, break his heart, take advantage and it was always  me that got to mend the shattered pieces back together. I look back at every questionable glance  between us, every simple gestured caress, kiss that lasted longer than it should, and hug that seemed endless but swallowed me whole and I know now that all of those moments were building up to now. To what we’ve been too afraid to become and my heart skips a little. I always told myself that I was okay being friends, that trying to take it a step further could either make or break us so I always kept my thoughts to myself. I told myself I’d rather have him by my side as a friend than risk losing him as a lover. I mean yeah, he knew I loved him, I just never let him see past what came naturally to me. In some ways, it was almost like a silent agreement. We’ve always shared a strong bond and a love that no one could interfere with, we just never knew the magnitude of it.

It’s not long before his thick, sleepy voice pulls me from my thoughts, filling the silence of my bedroom.

“You’re thinking too much, babe.”

My hands stop stop their movements.

“How do you know?” I ask softly, unable to stop my smile.

“Your heart is beating really fast.” He says, smile across his lips as he sits up a little, staring back into my eyes.

“Sorry. You seem to have that affect on me.”

“Oh yeah?” He lets out a deep laugh, moving so he’s leaning on his hands, his body pulling away and exposing my nakedness. “Without even trying?”

I reach my hand up, wrapping my fingers through his hair as his face inches closer.

“Without even trying.”

I don’t wait long before his forehead rests against mine and I feel his lips, warm and soft brushing against my own and my heart skips with a deep thud again. He pulls away, just enough space to speak and really look into my eyes.

“Well you should feel my heart right about now too.”

I grin back lovingly, the hand that was in his hair dropping to his shoulder, moving slowly over the curve, feeling his skin warm beneath my finger tips. I trace over his collar bone, moving across his chest feeling the slight dusting of hair before my palm stills, feeling the quick beats of his own heart.

I look up at him once again through long lashes, my hand coming up to cup his cheek and I can’t prevent the rush of happiness that runs through me.

“All from little ol’ me?”

“Stop,” He breaths. “You’re more amazing than you give yourself credit for.”

He shifts a little, coming to lean down against me again, his face still inches from mine. I shiver as his lips graze my neck, trailing up just below my ear where he sucks softly, causing my body to tremble, slowly learning exactly what that small move does to me.

My arms wrap around his shoulders once again as he begins his assault, his tongue snaking out every once and a while to taste my skin and I can’t help but feel whole and loved. I always thought it was a little overrated when people would say sometimes all it takes is just one kiss to bring you to life but right now, I’d be lying if I said I was feeling any less than that.

He trails his lips up to my mouth once again and I’m all to happy to oblige. I love that he takes his time with me, moving slowly, just savoring the moment as if he’s got all the time in the world to love me. One large hand reaches up to cup my cheek, his fingers splaying across my jaw to hold me and it’s times like these where I keep forgetting how to breathe. His tongue teases my bottom lip, flicking the underside of it, looking for access to deepen the kiss and I’m all too happy to allow him entry.

We swallow each others gasp, tongues tangling with the other, sharing breath, touch, and it’s hard to remember my own name right now. He finally pulls back when air becomes scarce, as he rolls over on his back, his hand splaying across my ribs,  pulling me along with him. My head follows suit, lolling against his chest this time as he wraps his arms around my waist, holding me close to him. I can feel myself melt as his hands begin trailing across my back and shoulders, knowing I love this just as much as he does. My ear presses against his chest and I pull away smiling down at him.

“Stop thinking so much.” I tell him, mocking his words from a few minutes ago.

He grins back at me and I swear just the warmth in his voice is enough to steal my breath.

“Can’t help it. You have that affect on me.” He leans forward, his nose bumping into mine softly, nuzzling it. “And I love you, Carebear, so damn much.”

My body shivers, a tremble running through me from head to toe for the millionth time since he showed up on my doorstep and steals my breath all at the same time. I lean forward, not waiting a beat before kissing him, really kissing him like I was never able to before, my lips moving feverishly with his as his hands move up to hold just below my jaw as he sits back and takes it. A deep moan escapes his lips and I let myself get lost in the passion, the feel and the smell of him taking over me, hoping to convey everything I feel for him. Pulling back panting, our breath fanning across on the others face, I lean forward to wrap my arms around his neck, fingers tangling in the hair at the nap of his neck and as I feel him shiver and it only drives me more deeply into this, knowing I have that affect on him.

I love you, so damn much Justin,” I place a soft kiss on each of his eyelids, watching as they flutter, his lashes tickling my nose. “Thank you for fighting for me, for pushing, for helping me see. We always promised we’d never give up on each other.”

I see his eyes gloss slightly, not even realizing that mine have already began to spill over with tears.

“I never will either,” Justin says, swallowing thickly. “I’ll never give you up without a fight. You mean so much to me.”

“You’re the only person who knows me inside and out. You know my demons and my flaws but yet you still cared. You still pushed and you loved me.”

“I love you because of your demons and flaws, Caroline. For your kind heart and your beauty,” He leans forward, placing a small kiss on my chest, right by my heart. “Your sense of humor, your sense of caring, grace, the way you love. There’s a lot of things.”

I laugh softly, a watery giggle escaping past my lips, his words shooting directly to my heart reminding me that loving him is right for me, right for us. I’m overwhelmed with emotions, not able to think about anything except what’s right in front of me and I can’t help but feel at peace with the sense of rightness that overtakes me.

“Thank you.” I breath out, tightening my hold on Justin.

“Yo- you were always there for me. Whenever, wherever, you would find a way. You took on my drama, my hectic life, my fears and anxiety, my bad moods. It didn’t matter, you were always there.” He says, letting out a heavy breath. “It might sound like gratitude but it goes beyond that. Each time you’d fall asleep with me, hug me, lay against me, I couldn’t prevent the feeling of completeness. I couldn't figure out why I never wanted to let you go.”

“Probably for the same reasons I never wanted to leave.” I say sniffling a little.

Reaching forward, gentle fingertips brush the tears away from my face, and I blink, blue eyes gazing back into blue and the look on his face lets me know that everything is going to be okay.

I feel his hold on me tighten as I lean into him a little more, tucking my face just below his jaw as his hands come down, fingers running slowly through my hair. I let out a shaky breath, breathing him in and I know right now that something brought us together for a reason. A comfortable silence takes over us once again as the thudding my heart and his finally dissipates and comes to a slow rhythm.  

I’m finally lost for words, just wanting to savor in the feeling of the man below me as my eyes become heavy by the tender movement of his fingers. My mind no longer wonders if this is right or wrong but finally agrees with the feelings deep inside of me, all the way down to my toes. Some may call it settling but I think your heart eventually comes to learn when there’s no one better for you and Justin... well he’s my best friend as well as the one man I can say I love with all my heart and soul and for that, I believe there is no one better for me in this world.

I tell myself that I won’t worry about he a I,  that we’ll make it through whatever it is in store for us and I’ll be okay with it. I know that what we have between us is real and the love that we share is strong. No matter what tomorrow brings, we’ll weather it together because at the end of the day, I’m here for him and I know he’ll be there for me. Together, no matter what, we’ll get through.
End Notes:
*holds breath*
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1485