Up Against the Wall by Mack_Attack22
Summary:

Mack Desrosiers: Born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada; raised in Memphis, Tennessee; residing in Orlando, Florida.  She and Justin have been friends since they were in diapers. She's always seen as "one of the guys" or "Justin's little sister"; aways the follower, never the leader, which was how she found herself in Orlando in the first place. As their lives change she finally decides to grab her life by the horns and become the leader, earning the spot of being 'N Sync's choreographer. But everything comes with a price. For her, it's life coming at her like a speeding train and she doesn't know how to get out of the way with her back up against the wall.

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend." --  Albert Camus 

Being edited as of 6/9/19


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Group, Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: What's a Girl to Do?
Chapters: 35 Completed: Yes Word count: 161901 Read: 133907 Published: Jul 29, 2009 Updated: Jul 06, 2010
Story Notes:

stories/1636/images/Up_Against_the_wall_2.jpg

Sequel to Behind Blue Eyes. Part 2 of the What's a Girl to Do? series

Being edited as of 6/9/19

1. The News that Almost Killed Her by Mack_Attack22

2. Two Princes by Mack_Attack22

3. He Likes Me, He Likes Me Not by Mack_Attack22

4. Intense Insanity by Mack_Attack22

5. When Things Actually Turn Out Okay by Mack_Attack22

6. What's so Special about Birthdays Anyway? by Mack_Attack22

7. Strange Feeling by Mack_Attack22

8. Pleasure Island by Mack_Attack22

9. The Catch by Mack_Attack22

10. A Piece of the Puzzle by Mack_Attack22

11. My Lips are Sealed by Mack_Attack22

12. What the Hell Just Happened Here? by Mack_Attack22

13. What Happens in Sweden Stays in Sweden by Mack_Attack22

14. The (Angry) Lion Sleeps Tonight by Mack_Attack22

15. Momma Called the Doctor and the Doctor Said by Mack_Attack22

16. Flirting With Disaster...Or Just Plain Flirting by Mack_Attack22

17. Nothing Endures But Change by Mack_Attack22

18. Hate is a Strong Word but I Really Really Really Don’t Like You by Mack_Attack22

19. I Know the Truth No Matter What You Say by Mack_Attack22

20. Build Your Fences,Set Restrictions by Mack_Attack22

21. Black and Blue by Mack_Attack22

22. The First Cut is the Deepest by Mack_Attack22

23. Hell Freezes Over Part 1 by Mack_Attack22

24. Hell Freezes Over Part 2 by Mack_Attack22

25. I See Gold in Your Future by Mack_Attack22

26. Mother and Child Reunion by Mack_Attack22

27. A Hug Can Make Things Better by Mack_Attack22

28. One and the Same by Mack_Attack22

29. Boys and Belches by Mack_Attack22

30. The One With the Necklace Part 1 by Mack_Attack22

31. The One With the Necklace Part 2 by Mack_Attack22

32. A Plane, No Train, and An Automobile Part 1 by Mack_Attack22

33. A Plane, No Train, and An Automobile Part 2 by Mack_Attack22

34. Memphis Soul by Mack_Attack22

35. Summer of Changes by Mack_Attack22

The News that Almost Killed Her by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 1: The News that Almost Killed Her

 

Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring!

 

The only one that would ring the doorbell that many times in the morning would have to be the one and only Justin Timberlake. He was rocking back and forth on his toes as he continued to jab the doorbell with his finger, waiting for someone to open the door for him. He knew the only one home was his best friend and the fact that he was annoying her early on a Saturday was a lot of fun for him.

 

His grin got wider when he heard heavy footfalls move rapidly towards the door. He knew that he had pissed his best friend off, especially for waking her up at six am, but he had good news to tell her and he couldn’t wait for a reasonable hour.

 

“What the hell is your problem? Do you know what time is it? Obviously you don’t! It’s six fucking a.m. Get a fucking watch!” His best friend shouted at him once the door was open.

 

“You yelling at me so the whole neighborhood can hear you is practically making you a hypocrite,” Justin pointed out. “So can I come in? I have some really important news to tell you.”

 

“Fiiiine!” Justin smiled and stepped into the house. He knew all ready that she would let him in, she always let him in.

 

Mackenzie Desrosiers has been Justin’s best friend since day one. Although she’s French-Canadian, she grew up in Memphis, Tennessee a few doors down from him. They always played together and he even protected her from some bullies. When he decided to move to Orlando to pursue his entertainment business, she begged her father to move so they could stay together and so she could be pushed harder with her dancing. He finally caved in and the two families moved to Orlando, Justin went on to star in MMC while Mack continued with her dancing and competed in many festivals and competitions. Unlike Justin, Mack still attended school at the same time.

 

“Sit, sit! You’re going to be weak in the knees once I tell you my good news,” Justin said as he shoved Mack so she was sitting down on the couch. She pushed her black bangs out of her bright blue eyes and looked up at him, waiting for him to deliver the news.

 

“Ok, I’m sitting. Go ahead,” she said with a wave of her hand.

 

“You know how I’ve been working with the guys all the time?” Justin asked. Mack nodded. “Well, Lou Pearlman singed us to his label. It’s official! We’re an official group now!”

 

A smile slowly formed on Mack’s face as Justin let the words sink in. “JT, that’s so great!” She cheered.

 

“That’s not it. Our first official public performance is at Pleasure Island in October,” he continued.

 

“October? That’s only a month away,” she pointed out.

 

“I know, I know. That’s why Pearlman wants us–me and the guys–to move into one house together, at least until Pleasure Island. I mean, our Moms are going to come to make sure we don’t hurt ourselves or whatever,” he said with a wave of his hand. “We’re going to spend the entire time getting our vocals down, rehearsing our dancing, and promoting our appearance.”

 

“That’s–” Mack started.

 

“I’m still not done!” He jumped onto the couch next to her and grabbed her hands. “We needed someone to make the choreography for us.” If it were possible his smile got bigger. “So, I mentioned that I happened to know a girl who was an amazing dancer who could pick anything up easily and who can teach people any routine.”

 

“Wait, are you talking about me?” Mack asked.

 

“Yeah. Here’s the best part: Pearlman agreed! You’re our new choreographer!” Justin said as he started bouncing up and down on the cushion he was kneeling on. Mack sat, frozen, as she watched Justin bouncing. Suddenly it hit her and she started bouncing on her cushion, cheering with him.

 

“Wait, wait, wait,” Mack said over Justin’s cheers. “How can this be possible? Wouldn’t I have to sign a contract or something? And what about my Dad?”

 

“My Mom is talking to your Dad as we speak. She took him out for breakfast with Paul to explain everything. A contract is being made up today so you two can look over it and eventually agree to sign it,” he explained as he sat down, cross legged. “Oh and there’s a good chance that you’re going to have to move into the house too.” Mack gave him a look. “It’s a lot easier for us all to be there instead of having to move in between places to find time to rehearse. It makes sense,” he told her look.

 

“I don’t think my Dad’s going to go for me living in a house with a bunch of boys,” she said slowly. “And what about my schoolwork?”

 

“You’d have a separate room from the rest of us, obviously. Our Moms will be there too so it’s not like you’re the only girl there. You’re just the only teenage girl there,” he corrected. “And we’re not going to keep you locked up in the house; you can still go to school. Why are you being such a pessimist? I thought you’d be excited for this.”

 

“I am, I totally am,” she said as she grabbed his shoulders and lightly shook him. She dropped her arms. “It just sounds too good to be true.”

 

“That’s the same thing I thought when we started *NSYNC, but look what’s happening. We’ll go through this together, the good and the bad, like always,” he declared. “Promise?” He held out his pinkie.

 

“Promise,” she said as she hooked hers with his. “I’m going to be your choreographer,” she stated, more to herself than to him. “I’m going to be your choreographer?” Her eyes widened before they rolled back and she fell off of the couch and onto the floor with a loud thud.

 

“Mack?” Justin leaned over and peered at her face. “Uh, Mack? Hey, wake up!” He lightly slapped her cheek a couple of times before she came to. “Hey, sunshine! Are you all right?” He grabbed her arm and pulled her so she was sitting up.

 

She rubbed her head. “As good as I can feel when I almost suffered from a heart attack,” she mumbled in response. “Wow, I still can’t wrap my head around this. I’m going to call my Dad.” Justin nodded as she jumped up and went into the kitchen. Her hand was hovering above the phone right as it rang, causing her to jump.

 

“Did you say yes?”

 

“Did you agree to it?”

 

“Have you signed the contract yet?”

 

She pulled the phone away from her ear when three different voices yelled into the phone. Justin must’ve heard it from the living room. In the next second both of their ears was pressed next to the earpiece.

 

“One question at a time, guys,” Justin called over the noise, the smile returning to his face. “She agreed but she hasn’t signed the contract yet. Pearlman’s going to bring it over later so both she and her Dad can sign.”

 

Mack pulled the phone away from her ear once more as the guys on the other end cheered. The guys were JC Chasez, Joey Fatone, Lance Bass, and Chris Kirkpatrick, Justin’s other great friends and the members of their newly signed group *NSYNC. It wasn’t hard for them to come together; they all knew each other one way or another. Justin knew JC from MMC, Joey from random clubs around Orlando, and Chris from random shows. Justin knew of Lance because they shared the same vocal coach. It was basically a case of six degrees of separation that led to them getting together.

 

Mack was surprised that they were that excited for her to help them. Since she still went to school she didn’t see them as much as Justin did. She was either at her house, at school, or at the dance studio all day. Since she met them she’s only seen them a couple of times a month, she still didn’t even know them that well and she honestly couldn’t say that they were her friends, more like acquaintances.

 

“Don’t worry, you’ll like them,” Justin said as he hung up as if he read her mind. “They’re really cool.”

 

“If they’re friends with you, I doubt that.”

 

“Ha ha ha,” Justin laughed sarcastically and rolled his eyes.

 

----

 

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Mr. Desrosiers asked.

 

Mack sighed for about the fifth time in the past ten minutes as she set down my reading glasses and rubbed the bridge of her nose. Couldn't he see that she really wanted to get it over with? She knew what she was getting herself into, she wasn't stupid.

 

They've been sitting at the restaurant for the past hour trying to get her contract signed. Justin, his mother Linda Harless, and his step-dad Paul were with them partly for support and partly to persuade them.

 

“Yes Dad, I’m sure,” Mack responded.

 

“What about school work? You are aware that if you sign this, as their choreographer that means if they ever have to do some traveling you’d have to go with them,” he pointed out. “If your grades fall–”

 

“They won’t,” Lou spoke up. “She’d still be attending school even though she’d be helping the boys with their choreography. If it does come down to her having to travel, we could work out a way to help her continue with her school work so she wouldn’t fall behind.”

 

Please Dad,” Mack said as she fought an eye-roll. “We read over this contract three different times. My school work will be fine and I can dance all of the time. Can I sign now? Please?” She stared at him, not blinking, waiting for his response. He let out a slow breath through his nose and nodded. She beamed as the contract and a pen was slid his way. He paused to look over it once more, earning a sigh from his daughter, before he signed the contract. He put the pen down and slid it over to Mack, who signed it eagerly. As soon as she lifted the pen Lou took it from her and tucked it into his briefcase.

 

“If I end up regretting this–” Mack started in a warning tone.

 

“You won’t, trust me!” Justin said.

End Notes:
Please leave a review. This is my first 'Nsync story and I want to know how I'm doing.
Two Princes by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 2: Two Princes

 

“Explain to me that we’re not going anywhere to celebrate? That we’re just playing basketball like we always do?” Mack asked from the porch steps as she watched the boys run around the driveway.

 

“Well, what else is there to do?” Justin responded as he spun the basketball on his finger.

 

“I dunno. Go to the movies? Go out to eat? Order-in? Have a Friends marathon? Something other than play basketball. I’d even rather start moving my stuff into that house,” she sighed.

 

“Play a game with us so you won’t be bored,” Joey spoke up. “We can do one of those things afterwards. Just play one game.”

 

“Yeah, we’ll do whatever you want once we’re done,” JC agreed as he gave her a charming smile. She sighed and dropped her head, regretting what was getting ready to come out of her mouth.

 

“Ok. Fine. I’ll play,” she sighed. She just wanted to get it over with. She got bored watching them run around playing basketball all of the time. She was actually really bad at the game. She could run pretty fast to get away from someone and she could dribble, she just can’t pass or shoot at all. “Give me the ball.” Justin clutched it in both hands before throwing it at her. It sailed between her outstretched hands and hit her right in the nose.

 

“Ow!” She shouted as she held her head in her hands. The basketball bounced away as Justin burst out laughing. Justin had to hold himself up on his knee since he was laughing so hard. “Justin Randall, I swear to fucking God...” she growled as she walked over to where the basketball had stopped at the edge of the driveway. She picked it up and tossed it at him as hard as she could and they all watched as it bounced on the ground a couple of feet from him. There was a reason she didn't play basketball.

 

“There's a fucking God?” Joey asked with a laugh as he elbowed Chris in the side.

 

“Shut up!” Mack shouted.

 

“It was an accident and watch your mouth,” Justin mumbled

 

“Shut up!”

 

“Whoa. What did you do to her?” They heard Lance ask. He had just walked out of the house and looked curious about what was going on instead of being concerned about the yelling.

 

“I threw the ball at her and it accidentally hit her in the nose,” Justin replied. Lance raised an eyebrow.

 

“For someone who loves basketball so much you have crappy aim,” he said with a sigh, sitting down and loosely wrapping his arms around his knees.

 

“Him? Lansten, you’re the one who can’t even get the ball into the basket,” Chris said as he shook his head and chuckled.

 

“What about my nose? Doesn't anyone care that I'm bleeding?” Mack asked in exasperation, throwing her hands up into the air.

 

“No, not really,” Lance said, grinning. She took her shoe off and chucked it at his head. If throwing shoes at people was a sport, she’d win hands down. “What’d I do?” he whined. She stuck her tongue out at him and threw the other shoe at Justin. Score again.

Ouch!” She shouted when the basketball connected with her again and almost knocked her over. “Give a girl a break! I’m bleeding here.”

 

“Don’t make excuses. Just ‘cause you can’t play–” Chris started.

 

“No, I’m really bleeding,” she said as she pinched her nose. A few drops of blood were on her finger and thumb as she tilted her head back.

 

“Oh man, you are. Come on, we’ll get you some ice,” JC said as he gently grabbed her upper arm and led her into the Chasez house. He led her right into the kitchen and practically shoved her down on a stool. As he was filling a bag with ice his mother, Karen, came into the kitchen with his little sister Heather.

 

“What happened?” Karen asked Mack, noticing that the girl was pinching her nose.

 

“Justin hit me in the nose with the basketball,” she responded in an annoyed tone.

 

“Oh dear. Heather, go get me some tissues please,” she said to her daughter. Heather nodded before rushing out of the room. She came back a few seconds later with a box in her hand and followed by her brother, Tyler. “Thank you,” she said as she took a few tissues form the box and kissed her daughter’s head. “Here, tilt your head,” she said as she pressed the tissues against Mack’s nose when she moved her fingers and tilted her head back. “Josh, did you get the ice?”

 

“Right here,” JC replied as he wrapped the bag in a dishtowel and handed it to Mack, who moved the tissues away and held the ice up to her nose. “Is your nose ok?”

 

“Yeah, yeah, just go back to your game and tell Justin I’ll kill him later,” she responded with a dismissive wave of her hand. He nodded and went back outside as she let out a low growl. “These boys are driving me crazy!”

 

“Well, it’s what you get for not having any friends that are girls,” Karen said with a small smile as she also sat down on a stool. Tyler and Heather climbed up on other ones and sat there quietly, listening.

 

“That’s not true. Brittany’s my friend,” Mack stated. “So is Christina.”

 

“Yes, but you don’t spend as much time with them as you do with the boys,” she pointed out.

 

“I can’t help the fact that they’re working on their music. I mean, I want them to be happy. I’m not going to be that loser best friend who makes them stay and give up their dreams,” Mack said as she threw her arms into the air, causing the bag of ice to fly out of her hand and land on the counter. ‘Might as well suck it up ‘cause I’m stuck with them for a while’ she thought. She slammed her palms down onto the counter and sighed. She raised an eyebrow when she saw Heather and Tyler imitate her.

 

“They’re just boys being boys. Admit it, if they acted any differently you wouldn’t want to be around them,” Karen said.

 

“Well, yeah, that’s true,” Mack admitted as she tapped her fingers on the counter. “Yet sometimes I think my life would be so much simpler if I hadn’t met them.”

 

“Your life would be so much more different if you hadn’t met them. Remember, you don’t know Joseph, Christopher, Lance, or Josh as well as you know Justin. Give them some time; I know you’ll learn to love them. You and Josh all ready have this…connection from doing some work on MMC with him; it’s only a matter of time until you get it with Christopher, Lance, and Joseph.”

 

Mack nodded but remained silent. Her mind was jumbled; thoughts were slamming into her head and giving her a headache, worse than her nose ache. Karen gently patted her on the shoulder and left the kitchen. With Heather’s and Tyler’s help she filled the bag with more ice and monitored her nose swelling. It went down a little bit, but it was still red and very noticeable, “like Rudolph’s nose” to quote Tyler who grinned cheekily.

 

“You’re very charming,” she muttered dryly, ruffling his hair. He made a face and slapped her hands away, immediately smoothing his hair back into place. Tyler stuck his tongue out at her and she returned the childish gesture with her own: putting her finger and thumb up to her head to form a L.

 

They all turned their heads when they heard footsteps moving swiftly towards the kitchen. Roy, Heather’s and Tyler’s father, rushed in holding the phone out at arm’s length in Mack’s direction. She took it from him and barley had the phone to her ear when her father’s voice bleated into the kitchen.

 

“Where are you!?”

 

“Oh, sorry Dad,” Mack lowered her voice and turned her back to the two kids. “After lunch we went over to JC’s place. That’s where I am now.”

 

“I need you home.” His voice was tight and she could practically see the little vein in his forehead throbbing. She guessed that he was pacing the kitchen, his free hand on the top of his head as if something had hit him.

 

“Um, ok. I’ll–” She was cut off by the dial tone buzzing in her ear. She hung up the phone and handed it back to Roy as she slid off of the stool she was sitting on. “I have to go,” she mumbled. “Thanks for the ice,” she added, nodding at Heather and Tyler.

 

“You’re welcome,” Heather chirped. “Hope your nose feels better.”

 

‘Me too.’ She waved to them before rushing out of the house. She ran across the lawn and picked up her fallen bike, straddling the seat while clipping her helmet. “I gotta get home,” she shouted over her shoulder when she noticed the boys staring at her, eyes filled with curiosity. They nodded and waved as she pedaled furiously down the street, trying to get home as fast as she could.

 

Twice, in her haste, she almost ran right into traffic but she managed to break in time, almost flipping herself over the handlebars. She knew she was being pretty reckless but she didn’t want her father to be mad at her, he could easily rip up her contract if she ever got on his bad side.

 

She finally made it to her house, gasping for air as she struggled to keep her burning legs up. She threw her helmet down onto the grass and dug into her pockets as she raced for the front door. Her key was barely in the lock when it swung open and she was pulled inside by her arm. She jumped when the door slammed shut and the bang made her head pound.

 

“What took you so long?” He demanded, still holding onto her arm. She winced and tired to pull out of his grasp but he held on tighter. “Did you forget? Your Mom comes home today; we have to go pick her up.”

 

“Ok, ok, just let go of me!” Mack said as she struggled to pry his fingers off of her arm. He finally let go and she rubbed the red spot. She was surprised that he hadn’t noticed how red her nose was, but he always ignored things that were right in front of him whenever his wife was involved. He was still as crazy about her as the day they first met in high school, him being the sensitive and quiet jock, her being the loud out-going artist.

 

“C’mon, get your shoes.” He practically shoved her up the stairs to her room and stood in the doorway impatiently as she searched for her favorite pair of Vans. Once she had them in her hand he grabbed her arm, flung her down the stairs, out the door, and threw her into the passenger seat of the car. He jumped into the driver’s side and they peeled out of their driveway. Mack clutched onto the armrests as she took deep breaths to calm her racing heart, telling herself that they weren’t going to crash, that he was just excited to see his wife after six long months.

 

She had to practically run to catch up with her father’s frantic pace, apologizing to the wake of disgruntled passengers as he shoved through them. Her father was in love, she couldn’t blame him for that, but she could blame him for embarrassing her at the same time. ‘Same ol’ dad, has a one track mind.’ She crossed her arms over her chest and waited by her dad, who somehow conjured up a bouquet of red roses. She rolled her eyes at the gesture as a scowl placed itself on her lips.

 

“There she is!” Her dad said as he slapped her repeatedly on the arm and grinned. ‘What is he, 12?’ She scanned the crowd to find the raven haired beauty that was her mother. She spotted her easily, adjusting the strap of the bag that was over her shoulder. She looked around before spotting the two and rushed over to them. She threw her arms around her husband’s neck and kissed him hard, her husband lifting her off of the ground with ease. Mack held her stomach as it twisted with a sense of nausea. “I’ve missed you, Charlotte,” he whispered once they pulled away and held out the roses.

 

“I missed you too, dear,” she replied with a bright smile, and then she turned to Mack. “How are you, babydoll?” She asked, using her nickname for her only child as she pulled her into a tight hug. She then held her daughter at arm’s length and studied her face. “What happened to your nose?” She questioned, biting her lip to keep from laughing out loud.

 

“Um, can we talk about it later?” She asked with a small smile of her own. She had to admit it was pretty funny, but that didn’t meant that she would let Justin off the hook that easily. “How was Canada?” She questioned as she grabbed her mother’s bag and the family walked towards the baggage claim.

 

“It’s the same, nothing has changed. David and Julie say ‘hi’,” Charlotte replied as she wrapped her arm around Philippe’s waist and he held his arm protectively around her shoulders. “I might have to go back at the end of the year, but that won’t be decided for a while.”

 

“Go back? Why?” Mack questioned, pulling her suitcase off of the baggage claim and placing it on the ground with the rest of her stuff. “I thought that was it.”

 

“There was some business that we never got a chance to finish there. But like I said sweetie, nothing’s been decided,” she said as she gently stroked her hair. Mack nodded and followed her parents out of the airport and back into the car. She lay down in the backseat and stared out the window as he parents talked quietly, mainly saying how much they missed each other. She eventually couldn’t take the sweet talking and dug around the pocket of the passenger seat and pulled out her CD player. She lifted the hood to her t-shirt to cover her headphones and pressed play. Automatically she relaxed when Two Princes by Spin Doctors filled her ears. It was her all time favorite song. She loved to dream up scenarios of the two boys and the girl of the story, each one ending in different ways once she chose one over the other.

 

Before she knew it they were home. Philippe carried Charlotte’s things to their room and immediately went to the kitchen to prepare her welcome back dinner while the girls sat in the living room in peaceful silence as they watched TV.

 

Charlotte broke the silence when a commercial came on. She muted the TV and turned to her daughter. “How’s school been?” She questioned.

 

Mack shrugged. Same ol’, same ol’. She went to school, did her work, went right to dance afterwards, hung out with Justin for a bit, went home, ate, bathed, did homework, went to sleep, and woke up to do it all over again. She shrugged again. “Nothing new. Even though freshman year’s just started we have a project in English due in two weeks. I’m halfway done.”

 

“You’re never one to procrastinate,” she stated.

 

“Not unless I really don’t feel like it, but Dad says I can’t let my grades fall so…” Mack studied her mom’s face. Her eyes were squinted slightly; she wanted to know something but was never one to get down to the root of the problem. “What do you really want to know?”

 

“What’s this I hear about you being a choreographer?” She questioned.

 

Mack went into the story on how the guys got a gig for Pleasure Island and how they wanted her to help them wow the crowds with choreography instead of just being a singing acapella group. Charlotte listened closely, nodding every now and then. “Dad said I could do it as long as I don’t let my grades drop.” She hesitated. ‘Should I tell mom about moving? She might not like me staying with a bunch of guys, but Lynn and Dianne will be there too so it’s not like I’d be the only girl there.’

 

“Sweetie, I can see the gears moving in your head. What is it you want to tell me?” Charlotte asked, gently nudging her daughter’s arm. Mack sighed; she hated how her mother knew her so well sometimes. It was no wonder she never got away with anything when she was younger.

 

“Lou Pearlman, the guys’ manager, wants them all to move into a house together so it’s easier for them to rehearse and work on their stuff. They…want me to move in too…so it’s easier to schedule dancing times with them.” She bit her lip, studying her mother’s face. It was blank. She let out a breath and continued. “I think it’s a good idea,” she rushed on. “And Lynn and Dianne will be there so I wouldn’t be the only girl in the house and it would be easier to schedule times and to reach each other to get this done. The Pleasure Island show is in October so it’s basically crunch time, we have to get a lot done in a month and being together will make it easier.” She let out a loud breath. She had crammed that all in one breath so she could get it out before her mother stopped her.

 

She looked at Charlotte out of the corner of her eye. She was deep in thought, lines on her forehead showing up as she tapped her chin. Mack waited, holding her breath, for her mother’s answer. “If Lynn and Dianne will be there…I don’t see why not.”

 

“R-really?” Mack’s blue eyes shone in excitement.

 

“Really. This will be a great opportunity for you. I don’t want to hold you back.”

 

“Wow, thanks mom!” She flung herself forward and hugged her mother tight. “We move tomorrow. I don’t have to move everything, they have dressers and beds all ready there, and I just have to move some of my clothes.” She hugged her mother again. “Thanks so much! Now, how was your trip?” She leaned back and waited for her mom to explain. It was Charlotte’s turn to get excited, she acted more like a teenager than a mother sometimes.

 

“It was amazing. My partner, Paul, and I made a lot of great deals for the company.” As Charlotte explained her experience Mack studied her mother’s radiant face as she spoke. Something was off, but she couldn’t put her finger on it. She was talking about Paul and awful lot. ‘You’re just trying to find something wrong. Be happy for her’ she scolded herself as she smiled a little and nodded at what her mother was saying. ‘Everything’s finally going right for you guys.’

End Notes:
So that was my second chapter, did you like it? Hate it? Please review. Constructive criticism is welcome.
He Likes Me, He Likes Me Not by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 3: He Likes Me, He Likes Me Not

“Come on, Mom. I don’t have a lot of stuff to move, can we just go all ready?” Mack called up the stairs the next morning. She was practically up at the crack of dawn that Sunday because she was, well, she didn’t know whether it was because she was excited or apprehensive. Either way she was practically out the door by the time her mother came down the stairs. “What took you so long?” Mack questioned, looking up at her mother. She squinted when she saw that her lipstick was smudged slightly. “Never mind, I don’t want to know,” she said as she held her hands up before her mother could say anything.

 

“Is that all you’re taking?” Charlotte questioned, looking down at the two boxes that were by the front door.

 

“One has my clothes, the other has pictures and posters and stuff, that’s all I need,” Mack replied with a shrug. “Dad, can you help me with these boxes?”

 

“Coming, honey.”

 

--------

 

“Ok, a little to the left.” Justin let out a puff of air as he shifted his grip on the bed. He looked up to see JC’s cheeks puffed out and his face turning red as he struggled to hold up the other side. They took a few shuffle-steps to the left. “No, a little more to the right.” Groaning, the boys shifted their grip again and shuffled to the right. “Hmm, no, back to the left up against the wall.” JC and Justin moved the bed over to the wall and dropped it. JC moved out of the way and helped Justin push the bed against the wall. “Thanks. Hmm, I wonder what this extra mattress is for.” Justin and JC groaned before falling over onto the extra mattress that was on the floor. “I guess it’s for that.”

 

“How’re y’all doin’?” Lynn asked as she came into the room.

 

“I think I killed your son, Lynn,” Mack said with an apologetic smile. “Hey, just be glad that my room’s on the bottom floor,” she addressed the guys as they glared at her.

 

Chris bounded into the room with a fist full of pixie stix. Justin’s eyes widened, all ready knowing that the pixie stix in Chris’s hand wouldn’t last for long if they haven’t been eaten all ready. “Guys, what’re you doin’ lying around? We have a trampoline and a pool!”

 

“You’d be out of strength too if you had a tyrant on your butt,” JC groaned, covering his eyes with his arm.

 

“Depends on who the tyrant is,” Chris said with a grin and shrugs before ripping open a few of the packages and downing it into his mouth.

 

“But this just proves that you’re nice young gentlemen to help her out,” Lynn said as Mack smiled innocently. Justin and JC scoffed as they forced themselves to their feet.

 

“Don’t fall for that innocent act, Mom,” Justin said as he shook his head. “On the outside is this sweet girl but underneath is this devil munchkin that uses young, fragile, good-looking boys to do her bidding.”

 

“You have quite the imagination,” Lynn said as she gently ruffled his hair and kissed his forehead. He made a face and frantically rubbed his forehead with his arm. He glared when he noticed the smirk on Mack’s face as she tried not to laugh when Lynn left the room.

 

“What’s so funny?” He demanded.

 

“You,” she responded. “’Young, fragile, good-looking boys’,” she repeated, deepening her voice to imitate Justin. “You must have a huge head on your shoulders to think that you’re all that good looking,” she chuckled.

 

“We are, and you totally believe that too,” Justin said as he poked her in the ribs. She squirmed and moved out of his reach as he smirked, knowing that she was ticklish. JC watched as Chris bounced up and down in his spot, ripping open more pixie stix and shoving them into his mouth. JC knew that he should being trying to keep Chris away from the powdered sugar, but he was eager to see the result of him eating all of them.

 

“Sorry to burst your ego, but I don’t,” Mack denied.

 

“Ah, but you do,” Justin said as he poked her again, a devilish grin crossing his lips.

 

“No I don’t.”

 

“Yes you do.”

 

“No I don’t.”

 

“Yes you doooo,” he said in a sing-song voice.

 

“Oh my god, no I don’t!” She let out a yelp when Justin started tickling her ribs. She burst out laughing and tried to get away from him. “He…help me!” She gasped, struggling even harder to get away from Justin.

 

“Do you admit that we’re good looking?” JC asked, finally breaking his gaze from Chris. She shook her head as she bit her lip to keep from laughing out loud. “No deal,” he responded. “Chris, help Justin.”

 

“N–no!” She managed to get out of Justin’s grasp but he grabbed her wrists at the last second and knocked her onto her knees. He was laughing manically as Chris descended on her and started to tickle her. He dug his fingers into her ribs so it tickled but hurt at the same time, which made her fight even harder. “Help! Someone!” She shouted in the middle of her laughter.

 

Lance suddenly appeared in the doorway and surveyed the scene. Justin and Chris were practically sitting on top of Mack, who was pressed against the floor, red in the face, laughing hard as she tried to get away from them. JC was moving around the three, a brush in his hands, speaking into it as if he were a referee.

 

“Do I want to know what you’re doing?” Lance asked, standing in the doorway as if he were torn between staying and running. He glanced back and forth between the wrestling group and the hallway, as if torn in making a decision.

 

“We’re trying to get her to admit that we’re good-looking guys that she’d want to date but she won’t crack,” Chris responded, bouncing up and down on her hip.

 

“Wait! Who…hahaha…ever said anything about...hahahahahaha…dating you?” Mack gasped. “You just said…hahaha…for me to admit…th-that you’re…hahaha g-good loo-looking!”

 

“I think that’s a confession!” JC said into his ‘microphone’. “And it’s all over folks! It’s Boys: 1 Girl: 0. Thanks for playing and have a nice day!”

 

“What part…of ‘help’…do you not…understand?” Mack gasped as she stared hard at Lance. He shrugged and gave a sheepish smile. She merely shook her head and punched him on the arm. He blinked and otherwise had no reaction to her punch. When she turned around to look out the window he grabbed his arm as his eyes widened. Chris, JC, and Justin chuckled. She muttered something incoherent under her breath as she placed her hands on her hips. “I’m all moved in,” she announced.

 

“Don’t ya want anything else in here?” Justin asked looking around.

 

“No, if I ever need anything I can always just go back home,” she replied. “So, I’m bored. Let’s do something,” she proposed.

 

“Play on the trampoline!” Chris said as he bounced and down as if he were on one. Justin cringed; he knew he should’ve stopped Chris from eating those pixie stix. He wasn’t at his sugar peak yet and he was all ready starting to bounce up and down. It was only a matter of time until he reached his peak and then he would annoy them to no end.

 

“Hey, you promised that we’d do whatever I wanted to do this time if I played basketball with you last time,” Mack pointed out while shooting a glare at Justin, who averted his gaze so he was suddenly interested in the ceiling.

 

“She’s right, we did make a promise,” JC sighed. “Ok, what do you want to do?”

 

“Ice skate!”

 

“When was the last time you got your butt on the ice?” Justin questioned. Mack didn’t reply. “Ok, just know that we’ll be laughing our butts off when yours doesn’t come off the ice.” She stuck her tongue out at him and he returned the gesture eagerly.

 

The group moved into the kitchen where Lynn, Dianne, and Charlotte were talking and laughing happily. They explained that they were going to go ice skating and would be back later. They then piled into the five-seat car that was in the driveway, but not before a debated over who was going to drive, JC or Chris. They eventually got JC in the driver’s seat because they “wanted to make it to the rink in one piece, not millions of pieces,” to quote Lance.

 

“Where’s Joey? He said he’d meet us here,” Chris said as he jumped up and down to try and see over the many heads of the skaters. He then started jumping around in circles like a dizzy kangaroo. When his arms started flying was when everyone ducked for cover and ran to pay for their skate rentals.

 

“Hey guys, sorry I’m late,” Joey panted as he ran over to where they were lacing up their skates.

 

“What took you so long, man?” Justin questioned.

 

“I was with–”

 

“Kelly,” Lance, JC, and Chris said the same time Joey did.

 

“What’s wrong with him wanting to spend time with his…?” Mack looked up at Joey, waiting for him to supply an answer on their status.

 

“Really really good friend,” he responded.

 

“You mean you’re not dating yet? After all this time you’ve spent with her?” Lance questioned.

 

“Well, we hang out a lot but I never really asked her out in an official way,” Joey explained as he dropped down next to them on the bench and pulling his ice skates onto his feet. “Anyway, who’s ready for me to whoop their butts on the ice in a little race?” He grinned at Mack. “How about you?”

 

“Thanks, but no thanks. I’m going to stick to the wall,” she said as she shook her head.

 

“But you’re Canadian,” he stated with a confused look on his face.

 

“Part Canadian and being an expert on the ice is a stereotype,” she said through clenched teeth. She hated having to repeat that part about herself, she didn’t pronounce about like ‘aboot’ and she didn’t say ‘eh’ at the end of every sentence.

 

“Hey, we’re penguins!” Justin called from the back of the line they were walking, more like shuffling, in to get to the ice. The boys cracked up, as if it were the funniest thing in the world while Mack fought to not roll her eyes. It was obvious that there was a huge lack of maturity in the group. “And you’re a wallflower!” He added as Mack stepped onto the ice but clung to the wall to keep from falling. Justin laughed, earning himself a halfhearted glare. “Relax, Mack,” he said. “We’re here to have fun.”

 

“No, you’re here to laugh as I fall on my butt and make a fool of myself.”

 

Justin feigned surprise. “So you’ve figured it out.”

 

Mack punched her friend in the arm, only to grasp said arm again to keep from slipping. She quickly transferred her hold from Justin to the rim of the surrounding wall, leaning against it for support.

 

“I’ll help,” Lance offered as he held out his arm. Mack stared at it, trying to figure out if it were a trick or not. Lance wasn’t one to make as many jokes as the other guys so she trusted him and grasped his arm. He placed his other hand on top of hers, like a gentleman, and pulled her away from the wall, gliding easily. “All you do is put your weight on one foot and then push off in that direction,” he demonstrated. “See? It’s easy.”

 

“How about I just stick to clinging to you for dear life?” She suggested after she almost wiped out, trying what he demonstrated.

 

He chuckled, “Ok, that’s fine with me.” He increased his grip on her hand before leading her around the rink. He blushed whenever the guys skated past them, calling out and cheering. “Sorry about them,” he mumbled.

 

“It’s all right,” Mack muttered her face also red. “When was the last time they had a girl to ice skate with?”

 

“Good point,” he chuckled. He felt a tug on his arm and turned his head to see Chris shove Mack hard enough that she let go of his arm and fell onto the ice on her butt.

 

“Ahhh, you’re finally falling for me,” Chris said before he burst out in hysterical laughter.

 

“What the hell!? Chris, I’m going to freaking kill you!” Mack shouted at him. She clenched her hands into fists and let out a slow breath before placing her hands on the ice. She tried to get to her feet but every time she managed to get up a little bit they slid out from underneath her and she found herself flat on the ground again.

 

“Something tells me that you shouldn’t yell ‘hell’ when there are a bunch of little kids around,” someone behind her said.

 

“What makes you think I care what you…” Mack turned to see the person behind her and finished muttering her last word. “Think?”

 

Standing behind her, laughing a little, was none other than Tony Lucca. He was on MMC with JC and Justin, but he started the same time JC did, which was the main reason the two became really good friends on the show. She sat there, gaping at him, as Lance introduced himself. Tony always had that affect on her, not that she’d ever admit it.

 

“Mini, wow. It’s been a while, how’ve you been?” Tony asked as he grabbed her hands and easily pulled her to her feet.

 

“Uh…fine,” she mumbled. ‘Curse my lack of intelligence!’ She shifted the weight on her feet nervously, grabbing onto Lance when she almost fell over. “I’m helping Lance and his friends with the group they’re starting. I’m their choreographer.”

 

“Oh, that’s cool. You know, it really doesn’t surprise me that you would be a choreographer. You’re an amazing dancer, I’m really surprised the MMC execs didn’t try and get you on the show,” he said in thought.

 

“Yeah, well, I don’t deal with authority and control well,” she mumbled, lowering her head as her cheeks heated up.

 

“Tony?” Tony turned and grinned when JC and Justin glided up to them. “Tony, my man! How’re you doin’, buddy?” JC asked as they exchanged a guy hug.

 

“I’m doin’ great. How about you?”

 

“Great, man. Justin and I are trying to get a singing group together,” JC replied. “What have you been doing?”

 

“Playing guitar and singing,” Tony responded. “I’m trying to get a recording contract.”

 

“Oh, you totally will. Anyone that tries to turn you away would be kicking themselves later,” Justin spoke up. “Hey, you two loons!” He shouted to Joey and Chris who were wrestling each other down to the icy surface. “Those two idiots over there are Chris and Joey; they’re in our group too.”

 

“Hmm, should’ve known that you wouldn’t be able to sit around and do nothing, even for a while,” Tony commented.

 

“Hey, they’re doing a showcase at Pleasure Island in a month,” Mack spoke up. Her throat locked and the words refused to come out when Tony’s eyes rested on her. She felt her face heating up again and fought to keep herself from twisting a strand of her hair around her ear. “You…you should come.”

 

“That’d be great.” Mack beamed. “I’ll see if Keri can come too.” Her smile faded slightly. Tony glanced at his watch. “I gotta get going. It was great seeing you guys again.” He gave them a little wave before turning around skating towards the exit.

 

“Oh, guys we better go ourselves before my mom calls a search party on us,” Justin said, glancing at the clock on the far wall. “And trust me; she would go through with that.”

 

The group then, clumsily, made their way off of the ice, but they took the time to try and knock each other down along the way. Joey easily knocked everyone over and was able to skate out of the reach of their hands. They went back to their cars, Joey following them. Mack was silent the entire way back, even when some of her favorite songs came on the radio. Usually she’d be singing along at the top of her lungs but she stared out the window.

 

“Someone talk to her,” Lance spoke up. All of the guys were sitting in the hallway right outside Mack’s room. She had gone straight there once they got home and she hadn’t come out since. Dinner was in a few minutes and they didn’t want her to miss it.

 

“Ok, about what?” Justin questioned.

 

“About whatever’s bothering her,” Lance replied slowly, as if talking to a kindergartener.

 

“Do you happen to know what is bothering her?” Lance stayed silent. “Thought so.”

 

“Oh!” JC suddenly exclaimed, causing all of them to jump. “I think I just figured it out.”

 

“Good, now you can talk to her,” Joey pointed out.

 

“Wait, what? I don’t–”

 

Nose goes!” Chris shouted, practically shoving his finger up the nose in the process of placing it on his nose. Justin, Lance, and Joey quickly brought their fingers up to their noses so JC was the only one without a finger to his nose.

 

‘God, I should’ve seen that coming!’ JC groaned as the other guys chuckled and ran away, to play video games probably. ‘Great, now how am I going to make sure she doesn’t get mad at me?’ JC sat there for about a minute longer before he finally got up and knocked on the door.

 

“Go away!” Mack’s muffled voice shouted back.

 

“Mack, let me in. I just want to talk to you,” he called through the door.

 

“I don’t want to talk to anyone! Is it that hard to understand?”

 

“Come on!”

 

“NO!”

 

JC sighed heavily when Charlotte came over to him. She backed away as she knocked on the door. “Babydoll, open the door. Josh is just trying to help you. You don’t have to say anything, just listen to what he has to say.” They waited as silence stretched. “Please, honey?” They waited in silence again. Charlotte lifted her hand to knock again when the door cracked open. “Please get her out, soon. Dinner’s ready in a few.”

 

JC nodded and stepped into the room. Mack was sitting cross-legged on her bed, scribbling furiously in a notebook. He was surprised that it hadn’t caught on fire by how fast she was writing. There was no doubt that there was a lot of friction. “Umm, what’re you doing?” He questioned before squeezing his eyes shut. ‘Stupid, stupid, stupid.’

 

“Are you blind as well as deaf?” She questioned in a harsh tone without looking up.

 

“No.” JC grabbed her swivel chair and sat down, watching her.

 

“Do you want to say something or are you going to keep looking at me?” She asked with a sigh after a few minutes of silence.

 

“I just want to say one thing to you, and then I’ll leave you alone,” he promised.

 

“Ok, go ahead.”

 

“They don’t call it a crush because it feels good.” Mack stared at him, hard. After a few seconds JC moved to get out of the chair but Mack stopped him. She motioned for him to continue. “You like Tony,” he stated.

 

“What makes you say that?” She questioned. Outside she was calm but inside she was sweating and the only thing she wanted was to get out of the room.

 

“If I recall, the first day you visited the MMC set with Justin you wouldn’t stop following him,” he stated. “He didn’t mind, but that was a big clue,” he quickly added. “Valentine’s Day one year, you gave him a massive block of chocolate. You can’t talk when you’re around him. You act, well, basically like a girl around him.” He had been counting on his fingers but he stopped. “Would you like me to go on?”

 

“I’d rather you leave,” she replied. “No,” she quickly corrected herself. “Actually, I’d like for you to answer a question. If you knew about my supposed crush on Tony, why didn’t you say anything?”

 

“’Cause I thought you knew that he and Keri were together,” JC replied honestly. “’Cause I thought it was just a little kid crush and that you wouldn’t do anything about it.” He sighed. “Honestly, I would’ve told you, but like I said I had no clue it would get this far, otherwise I would’ve tried to make you avoid it.”

 

“I can handle it,” she declared. “I may be a girl but I’m not a china doll.” She sounded stern but there was a smile on her face. JC sighed. She was slowly going back to her normal attitude, which was a good sign. “Is it dinner yet, I’m starving?” Her appetite was back, which was another good sign.

 

“I think it is. Let’s go check,” JC said with a bright smile. It seemed that as long as they keep her happy, nothing could go wrong. She did have their lives in her hand, so to speak.

End Notes:
I meant to put a disclaimer before, but here it goes. Disclaimer: I don't own any members of Nsync, any of their managers, or any other celebs/real life people mentioned in this story. I only own Mack, Charlotte, and Philippe.
Intense Insanity by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 4: Intense Insanity

 

“Man, I’m stuffed,” Chris muttered. All the younger people of the house were sprawled in the living room in different positions, but they were all holding their stomachs. The dinner was so good they kept going back for more, now it hurt for them to move so they were lying down talking to each other, waiting for the pain to go away. Suddenly a large burp escaped him. “Oh, I feel better!” he cheered as he jumped to his feet. “C’mon, let’s do something!”

 

“Is that the only thing that comes out of his mouth?” Mack groaned.

 

“Unfortunately,” Justin replied. He groaned when Chris stood above him repeating “Come on! Come on! Come on! Come on!” Justin closed his eyes, reached up, and continually jabbed Chris in the cheek with his finger. “Where’s the off switch?”

 

“Hey!” Joey suddenly shouted, causing everyone to jump. “It’s Blast from the Past/Game Night!”

 

“It’s what?” Mack questioned, afraid to know the answer. She learned to be hesitant about asking questions around the guys, because they almost always resulted in ridiculous answers or actions to occur.

 

“Blast from the Past/Game Night,” Lance repeated. “We have it once every month. See, what we do is we put our names on paper and put it in a hat. Then we get someone, usually a parent, to pick a name. Whoever’s name is picked we look at their pictures or videos from when they were younger up until now. We look at everything, nothing can be hidden. Embarrassing stories have to be explained, stuff like that. Then, they get to pick a board game that we have to play, no matter how long it takes to finish it.”

 

‘I just had to ask.’ Mack sighed and rolled off of the couch, landing on the floor with a thud. Justin laughed lazily without getting up. She left the room but came back quickly with a piece of paper and a pen. She scribbled down everyone’s names before ripping up the paper.

 

“Hey, wait a second,” Justin said as he looked over her shoulder. “How come you’re not on this list? You live here now, you’re included too.”

 

“Yeah, but unlike you guys I don’t have any of my kid stuff with me,” she replied with a smile.

 

“Your mom’s here make her go get it.”

 

“Next time,” she said with a wave of her hand.

 

“You’re just looking for an excuse to get out of thiiiiis,” Justin muttered.

 

Mack ignored him. “Hat,” she held out her hand to Joey. Joey slowly removed his Superman hat from his head and stared at it. Mack wiggled her fingers impatiently. “Joey! I’m going to give it back!” She cried out in exasperation. He finally slapped the hat into her hands and she dropped the papers into it.

 

“Mom! It’s almost time!” Justin yelled from the couch.

 

“Coming!” Lynn called back. A few seconds later she, Dianne, and Charlotte came into the room and settled down in the remaining empty seats. Mack mixed up the folded names in the hat and held it out to Lynn, who pulled out a name. She raised an eyebrow when all the guys leaned forward in their seats and held their breaths. ‘Is this night really that bad?’ She wanted to ask but held her tongue when Lynn read the name and looked at everyone. She opened her mouth and poke, “Josh.”

 

No!” He groaned, dropping his face into his hands as she left the room. The other boys laughed at him as he lifted his head, his face was bright red and he was glaring at the floor. “Shut up!” He grumbled before getting to his feet and leaving the room.

 

“Oh, this I have to see,” Mack said with a big grin as she scooted back onto the couch. Lance swiped a box out of JC’s hands and rushed over to the couch, dropping down on Mack’s free side. He practically ripped off the lid and pulled out a large photo album. Mack pulled it out of his hands and flipped the cover. She sucked in a breath as the corners of her lips moved up and down. “You don’t have a lot,” she muttered.

 

“Most of them got burnt in a fire at my old house,” JC replied nonchalantly. She nodded and continued looking through the album. From his seat in the chair across the room JC stayed quiet, glaring at each of them in case they started laughing at him.

 

It wasn’t that his pictures were bad; it was that they always wanted to hear all of the worst stories that could only be explained because of the picture. He was used to it but annoyed at the same time. Just because he didn’t always act out like the others did all of the time didn’t mean he was the one they could tease. He was usually the butt of their jokes–especially when he didn’t understand the jokes aimed at him–but he dealt with it silently. They were his family now and family always teases each other, he’d just have to suck it up.

 

“Are you going to laugh or are you going to say something?” He finally demanded when he saw the looks on their faces. They were either holding in a laugh or a comment. Both reactions would get on his nerves and he just wanted to get it over with.

 

“You’ve heard every possible thing that we could’ve said about these pictures,” Lance told him, the smile never leaving his face.

 

“Yeah? What about you, little Ms. Blunt?” JC asked, shifting his eyes over to Mack who didn’t lift her eyes from the photo album. “You must be bursting at the seams to make a sarcastic remark.”

 

“No, I’d rather keep it to myself, Beaver Teeth,” she replied with a pleasant smile.

 

He frowned and lightly touched his two front teeth with his tongue and felt the gap in between them. He mentally kicked himself before he started to worry about something else about himself. “Let’s just play game,” he sighed. ‘Healthy competition, that’s all I need.’

 

“Which one? You have to pick, remember?” Lance pointed out.

 

“Well, what are you guys in the mood to play?” JC asked as he pulled open the Game Drawer, colored boxes staring back up at him. He instantly regretted his words once they came out of his mouth, especially when they all shouted out suggestions.

 

“Monopoly!”

 

“Trivial Pursuit!”

 

“Cranium!”

 

“Twister!”

 

“Charades!”

 

“Taboo!”

 

“Ok, we can play a few minutes of each game,” JC suggested as he pulled five boxes out of the drawer and spread them out on the ground.

 

“Twister first,” Joey said as he threw the lid across the room and started to pull out the mat.

 

“Why in the world are you so eager to play?” Lance questioned. “Especially when you always lose first.” Joey just smiled at Lance and it suddenly hit him. ‘Of course, it’s only because there’s a girl here now. God, same ol’ Joey, he’s never going to change.’ But if Joey weren’t being Joey then he wouldn’t be the best friend that Lance grew to enjoy being around. “Joe, don’t bring her into this.”

 

“How in the world did I know that the stupid game was about me?” Mack cried as she threw her arms into the air. “Look, you guys–” she addressed them all before pointing at Joey and Chris, “–you two especially have gotta deal with the fact that I’m living here. Treat me like a sister; I’m sure you wouldn’t be hitting on them.”

 

“Ugh, thanks for the bad image,” Chris muttered as he stuck out his tongue.

 

“Great, maybe now he’ll shut up,” Justin sighed. Chris picked up the mat and dove at Justin, who laughed and jumped out of the way. They watched as Chris chased Justin around the room, the Twister mat billowing out behind him like a cape.

 

“You cannot escape Patman,” Chris said in a deep voice as he stood up on the back of the couch, his hands on his hips like he was superman.

 

“Patman?” Mack repeated, as if asking if Chris were for real. She should know that even when they were joking they took it seriously.

 

“Yeah, from Kirkpatrick, now sssh!” He said with a wave of his hand. “Once again, you cannot escape Patman, Woodpond! Once I catch you, you shall be spanked as your punishment!” He jumped off the back of the couch, the twister mat billowing out behind him in a flurry of color as he tackled Justin to the ground. “Do you surrender, Woodpond?”

 

“Surrender to my Burp of Despair!” Justin replied before burping right in Chris’s face.

 

Mack watched the boys running around the room as the others laughed. ‘Are they serious? I knew Justin was crazy but this? I’m going to need tons of painkillers if I’m going to survive living here. Painkillers…good idea.’ She suddenly jumped to her feet and moved as quickly as possible to get to the kitchen before her headache kicked in.

 

“It took a lot of convincing on my part to get him to agree on letting her stay here. Especially when she’s only thirteen.” Mack stopped when she heard her mother’s voice. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she tried to make her breath quieter so she wouldn’t be heard. “Sometimes I think that this is a bad idea, I don’t want her to get exposed to anything that she’s not ready for.” ‘So much for your faith in me, Ma.’

 

“That’s what I’m here for, Char,” Lynn’s voice reached her ears. “You know that Justin wouldn’t want to go through this without her, that’s why he suggested her being their choreographer. Don’t think of it as a thirteen-year-old moving in with guys, think of it as friends living together with parental super vision. She’s a tough kid but I’ll make sure that they look out for her instead of treating her as ‘one of the guys’ so much. Justin’s young too–fourteen–but I’m still letting him do this, you have to let her go.”

 

“I know, but I didn’t expect that it would be this soon.”

 

“It’s not like she’s going anywhere,” Dianne added. “You’re only a few streets away. You can visit whenever you can, I’m sure she’d like that.”

 

“Hmm, I don’t know. She’s always been a somewhat independent girl.” Charlotte’s sigh reached Mack’s ears. “I talked to Paul about it and he said…”

 

Mack tuned out the rest of the conversation as she slowly backed away. ‘She’s still talking to Paul? He’s her partner, I get that, but she talks to him an awful lot…’ She turned around and jumped when she noticed Joey standing there.

 

“You ok?” he asked, studying her face. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

 

“Or had a heart attack, either way,” she mumbled, resting her hand on her chest as she took deep breaths to slow down her racing heart. “Are we still playing Twister?” She asked, glancing at the kitchen over her shoulder as she followed Joey back into the living room.

 

“No, not since Chris managed to get J tangled in the Twister mat,” he replied with a chuckle. “So, we’re playing Cranium instead. I’m on a team with Chris, JC’s with Justin, and you’re with Lance.”

 

She nodded and sat down next to Lance around the coffee table. The game had all ready been set up and their pieces were on the board. “Who goes first?” She questioned.

 

“Um…the team who has a player who’s birthday is coming up,” Lance said as he looked at the instruction manual. “So, I guess that’s Chris.”

 

“No it’s not,” Justin said as he grabbed Chris’ wrist as he reached across the board. “Her birthday is next,” he nodded at Mack, “it’s the sixteenth. So she starts.”

 

“Really? So, how old are you turning?” Lance asked as he rolled the colored die, moving their game piece to the color.

 

“Fourteen,” she replied. The boys’–minus Justin’s–jaws dropped as they turned to look at her. “What?”

 

“You’re only thirteen!?” Chris choked out. “Dang, I thought you were older than that by how you carry yourself.” He flinched when Justin hit him on the arm. “Sorry,” he grumbled as he shuffled the deck of red cards.

 

“I don’t see why you’re making such a big deal about it. I mean, Justin’s fourteen yet you seem fine with it,” she pointed out as she reached for a Word Worm card. She nodded at JC who flipped the timer. “Spell snorkel backwards.”

 

“L-e-k-r-o-n-s,” Lance recited easily, grinning at the guys who groaned. He rolled the die and moved them to the next spot before answering. “It’s not that, it’s just that you’re…more mature than most young teens are.”

 

‘Trust me; you don’t know the half of it.’ She merely shrugged and drew a blue card and held it out to Joey. He grinned and rubbed his hands together when he saw that he had a Sensosketch card. Joey picked up the pad of paper and a pencil, a large grin was on his face. Justin turned the hourglass over as fast as possible to try and catch Joey off guard. Joey squeezed his eyes shut and started scribbling on the paper as Chris looked over his shoulder.

 

“Cat…dog…elephant…Jell-O!” Chris shouted as he peered at the drawing.

 

“How in the world does this look like Jell-O?” Joey questioned without opening his eyes.

 

“How in the world does it look like an object?” Chris shot back.

 

“Times up!” JC shouted happily.

 

“Hey, no fair!” Chris pouted as he pointed at Justin. “He cheated.”

 

“How could I possibly have cheated? It’s not my fault Joey can’t draw to save his life. It’s not my fault you can see,” Justin shot back defensively as he crossed his arms over his chest. “I mean, Jell-O? C’mon, that picture is so obvious!” he added with an eye roll.

 

“Thank you!” Joey beamed.

 

“It’s vomit,” Justin concluded.

 

“It is not!” Joey huffed. “It’s a rabbit! See, can’t you tell?” He held the pad out for everyone to see. All they could see were random squiggles with a little cotton ball somewhere near its nose.

 

“No,” they all replied in unison.

 

“Just go!” Joey growled, throwing the pad down on the table.

 

“Hey, don’t be such a sore loser, Joe,” JC spoke up. “Or in this case, a sore drawer.” They landed on green and JC picked up the Star Performer card.

 

“Dang, Joe, why couldn’t you pick up that one? It’s so much easier,” Chris grumbled.

 

“Get over it,” Joey grumbled in response.

 

“This one’s Copycat,” JC told Justin who nodded. Chris turned over the timer as fast as he could to catch them off guard. JC stood for a few seconds, looking up at the ceiling as he thought. His face lit up as he bent his knees forward slightly and placed his hands on his knees, a small smile coming onto his face. Lance and Mack immediately cracked up, knowing that he was portraying Marilyn Monroe but Justin, Chris, and Joey sat staring at him, blankly. “Oh come on it’s not that hard!” JC groaned, standing straight up.

 

“Thirty seconds,” Lance called out.

 

“They’re not going to get it,” Mack told him. “They’re not as smart as we are.”

 

“Wait a second, are you calling us dumb?” Chris demanded as Justin shouted out random people as JC steadily got more and more frustrated. “I’ll have you know that I got straight As when I was in high school.”

 

“Did you forge them?” She questioned with a smirk.

 

“No, but if I ever need to get anything forged I’ll just go to you.” She cocked an eyebrow. “You thought you could get away with forging your mom’s signature on that Science quiz you failed?”

 

“Have you been looking through my stuff?” She asked, alarmed. If her mother heard him then she could go total lockdown on Mack.

 

“Course not,” Chris scoffed. “Joey did,” he said as he punched Joey on the arm.

 

“Ow! Hey man, I did no such thing,” Joey said as he held his arms up in defense.

 

“Times up!” Lance yelled over the noise.

 

“I was trying to be Marilyn Monroe,” JC said as he glared at Justin.

 

Justin wrinkled his nose. “You’re doing a very bad job of it.”

 

“Excuse me for not being a girl,” JC muttered sarcastically.

 

“You’d be pretty,” Chris spoke up.

 

“Yeah, pretty ugly,” Justin deadpanned. Lance covered his mouth to keep JC from seeing the smile that crept onto his face. Everyone else burst out laughing as a smile tugged Justin’s lips. JC sat there, staring blankly, before it finally sunk in. he grabbed a pillow and hit Justin over the head with it, hard enough to knock the younger boy over.

 

“How do you not go nuts?” Mack quietly asked Lance who observed the unfolding scene: JC and Joey attacking Chris and Justin with pillows.

 

“You get used to it,” he said with a shrug. He tilted his head back and looked at the wall. “Hey guys, it’s close to 11.”

 

“We should head to sleep, guys,” JC said as he held Joey away from him by keeping his foot pressed on Joey’s chest. He took a serious tone to his voice which signaled the guys that he meant business. “We’re going to have to work early and you have school.”

 

“Ugh, don’t remind me,” Mack groaned getting to her feet. She looked back and forth between the guys and the hall. “The bathroom’s mine!” She declared before rushing to the hallway. She heard their pounding footsteps behind her as she moved as fast as she could. “Huh? Hey!” She cried out when she felt someone grab her belt and easily pull her back. “Pumpkin eater!” She shouted at Chris who darted into the bathroom.

 

“Babydoll, I want to talk to you before I leave,” Charlotte said as she came into the hall. Mack grumbled under her breath as the boys laughed and retreated to their rooms.

 

“Great, now it’s going to take me forever to get to the bathroom,” she mumbled. “What is it, Mom?” She asked, turning to face her mother. She raised an eyebrow when she noticed her mother’s bottom lip trembling. Before Mack could move Charlotte pulled her close and into a tight hug. “Aww, Mom…too tight,” she groaned, trying to pull away from her mother.

 

“Sorry,” Charlotte apologized as she let her daughter go. “It’s just…you’re growing up so fast,” she commented as she smoothed down the top of her daughter’s hair and smiled. “You’re not a little girl anymore.”

 

“I could’ve told you that,” Mack said with a little smile. “Mom, relax. I’m with Justin and Lynn’s here too. Nothing can go wrong. You’re a few streets away; I’ll drop by every day after school. Now you can use this time of me being out of the house so you can spend it with Dad.”

 

“What makes you think I haven’t done that all ready?”

 

Mack made a face. “TMI, mom.”

 

Charlotte laughed and hugged her daughter again. “Please, please, please stay out of trouble. The last thing I want to hear is a call from school, especially when it’s only your third week in.”

 

“Ok Mom. I promise.” ‘Just as long as you promise to pay more attention to Dad.’ Mack closed her eyes briefly when Charlotte placed a kiss on her daughter’s forehead. She followed her mother to the door and gave her a hug. She watched as her mother walk to her car and drive away. Only when she was out of sight did Mack close the door and let out a sigh. ’Freedom!’ “Ok, get your butt out of the bathroom before I make you!”

 

----

 

Knock knock!

 

Mack paused as she pulled her hair back into the ponytail to glance at the door. She jerked her head, signaling that Justin could come in. he sat down on the foot of her bed and smiled at her. “So?”

 

“So what?” She questioned as she gathered her hair into her hands.

 

“Aren’t you excited?” He asked as he rocked back and forth. “I mean, we’re actually doing what I’ve always dreamed of and you’re right there next to me. I wouldn’t want to do this without you.” He lightly slapped her knee to emphasize his point.

 

“Mhm. While you get to live your dream I still have to go to school, do homework, and deal with a bunch of annoying boys. My life is complete,” she said, sarcasm dripping from her words.

 

“If we ever get as big as…The Backstreet Boys or New Kids on the Block I promise we’ll take you with us. Honestly.” He placed his hand over his heart to emphasize his point.

 

“I believe you,” she said as she pulled her ponytail tight. “I’m goin’ to bed now. You ready to pray?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

They always prayed together before bed, it became a ritual for them once they turned seven. They prayed over the phone whenever they couldn’t physically get together to do it. One would stay up and wait for the other to call so they could pray. They couldn’t do it without the other.

 

Justin scooted forward and then leaned forward until their foreheads were touching. They smiled a little and closed their eyes; silence engulfed them as they prayed.

 

‘Dear Lord, please give these boys the best that they deserve. They’re working so hard and I would hate to see their hard work go to waste. Please watch over them and help them through this journey. Amen.’

 

 

End Notes:
A small note about the ages so you're not confused: for this story (at the begining) Justin and Mack are 14, Lance is 16, Joey is 18, JC is19 and Chris is 24. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please read and review.
When Things Actually Turn Out Okay by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 5: When Things Actually Turn Out Okay

 

Chris bounced out of his room the next morning, following the smell of chocolate chip pancakes into the kitchen. He woke up to his stomach growling and he couldn’t wait to fill it with as many pancakes as he could.

“Wow, you’re awake…and you cook?” Chris asked in astonishment as he pulled a plate full of pancakes towards him. He didn’t hesitate to grab a knife and began eating. A disgusted look crossed Mack’s facial features as he chewed so fast some pancake bits fell out of his mouth. “Oh ma gah, theesh ah so goo!” He exclaimed with a fully mouth so his speech was almost incoherent.

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” she said with a smile as he put another stack of pancakes on a plate. She dumped sausage and bacon onto a separate plate and filled cups with orange juice. Once she was sure that she made enough she turned to Chris and asked, “Could you wake up the guys for me?”

Chris stood and saluted. “Ma’am, yes ma’am!” He cackled evilly as he rushed out of the room, plotting ways to wake up his friends. Since Joey decided to stay at his parents’ place Chris only had to wake up Justin, JC, and Lance. Justin and Lance he had an idea for but JC would be the hardest. He’s the heaviest sleeper out of all of the boys. He even had a conversation with his sister in his sleep once so Chris knew that his plot would have to be sophisticated and extremely devious.

Chris slowly pushed open Lance’s door and tiptoed in. He leaned over Lance to check if the bass singer was still asleep. Chris smiled and rubbed his hands together as an evil grin crossed his face. He backed up as much as he could before taking a running leap and landing on Lance.

“Ooof!” Lance groaned in pain once Chris landed on him. His eyes shot open so green eyes locked with brown ones. “What…are you doing?” Lance asked slowly.

“Waking you up,” Chris explained, his words dripping with ‘duh’. “Chocolate chip pancakes are for breakfast. Come on, up and at ‘em! We gotta get ‘em before Joey gets here and eats them all.”

“Ok, ok. Just get off me!” Before Chris had a chance to move Lance shoved him to the floor. He landed with a loud thud but bounced back onto his feet. Lance took his time stretching before he forced himself out of bed. He raised an eyebrow when he saw that Chris was still in his room, but was pacing and talking to himself. “I know I’m going to be afraid of asking this…but why are you talking to yourself?” Lance asked as he squeezed his eyes shut.

“Because I’m trying to find a way to wake up Curly,” Chris replied. Lance sighed and opened his eyes. He didn’t know what he’d do if Chris admitted that he was actually having a conversation with himself. He was known to doing that. “Do you have any ideas?”

“Tickle his foot, that always gets him awake,” Lance replied with a yawn. “Now get out.” He shoved Chris out of the room and closed the door behind him. Chris tiptoed to Justin’s room and slowly pushed open the door. He spotted a tuft of blond curls poking over the top of the blankets that was pulled up to the young boys head.

Chris slowly walked over to the sleeping boy and checked to see if a foot was sticking out of the covers. ‘Man, he’s making this so much easier for me!’ Chris thought happily as he knelt. He kept an eye on Justin as he reached out, grabbed his friend’s ankle, and started tickling his foot. Justin woke automatically, trying not to laugh. Justin was always unpleasant when he woke up and he hated waking up laughing more than anything, only because he couldn’t stay mad because he’d be laughing too hard.

“S-stop!” Justin managed to get out in between his laughter. His face was red and he was twisted in his blankets as he tried to get away from Chris, but the grip on his ankle was too strong. “Let go! Let go!”

“Ha! Two out of three done!” Chris cheered as he punched his fists into the air.

“What…are you…talking about?” Justin asked, taking slow breaths to calm himself down. He rubbed his eyes and yawned as he waited for Chris to explain why he was rudely awakened.

“I was given the assignment to wake you, Lance, and JC up. I all ready woke you two, now I have to get Chasez up,” Chris explained in a rush. “Any ideas?” Before Justin could open his mouth Chris’ eyes widened. “Oh, I have a great one!”

“Hey, I want to watch this!” Justin, suddenly wide awake, jumped out of his bed and rushed after Chris.

Chris led Justin into the kitchen where Lynn and Dianne were carrying the plates to set the table. “I need that,” Chris said as he grabbed the whipped cream container off of the counter. He turned around and was hit by the stern gaze of Lynn. “I promise no one will be hurt,” he told her. She nodded and he beamed.

“Wait, I want a part in this,” Mack said as she followed the two boys to JC’s room.

“What if we get caught?” Justin whispered.

“We’re in this together,” Chris replied.

They quietly twisted the knob and pushed open the door. JC was fast asleep, snoring, half falling out of his bed and half tangled in his sheets. Justin stood by the door as Mack and Chris tiptoed in. Chris knelt by JC’s hand that was open and lying off of the bed. He slowly pressed on the nozzle until whipped cream came out onto JC’s hand.

Justin held his hands over his mouth so tight no one could hear his laughter but his shaking shoulders gave him away. He watched as Mack moved to the other side of his bed, holding her hand up to shield her face from the sun that seeped through the blinds. She tapped her chin before grabbing a large blue feather that was on the stool in front of his little desk. She grinned evilly and held a finger to her lips, reaching her arm across JC and lightly tickling his nose.

Chris let out an audible giggle when JC scrunched up his nose in his sleep before relaxing and letting out a slow breath. Mack reached out her hand a little further, holding her breath as she tickled his nose again. Her foot slid and she shut her eyes, waiting for the impact of hitting JC. She slowly opened them and looked up when she saw that Chris had grabbed the back of her t-shirt, keeping her up. She nodded her thanks when she regained her balance and tickled JC’s nose hard. She and Chris threw their arms into the air when JC slapped his face, causing whipped cream to go flying everywhere.

Justin burst out laughing and had to lean against the doorway to keep himself up as Chris and Mack high fived. “What the heck?” JC muttered sleepily as he blinked rapidly, wiping the whipped cream from his face. “Who–?”

“Run!” Chris practically yelled, shoving JC back down onto the bed before he, Justin, and Mack tore out of the room. They were laughing hard by the time they made it into the kitchen. Lance was all ready at the table eating as was Joey, who had a confused look on his face. He and Lance exchanged a look as Justin, Chris, and Mack slid into their seats and shoveled food into their mouths.

“Do I want to know?” Joey questioned, breaking the silence. Justin lifted his fork to his mouth and coughed a little, pointing towards the doorway as they heard rapid footsteps. Joey and Lance both looked up as JC approached. Their faces looked like they had eaten something sour: their lips were pulled in to hide their grins but their eyes were sparkling. JC was furiously wiping whipped cream off of his face as he came into the kitchen. Lynn and Dianne stayed silent, watching the scene with interest. “Looks like Sleepy can’t eat in his sleep like he can when he’s awake,” Joey quipped, causing everyone to laugh.

JC glared at the table, mainly Lance who was laughing the hardest. “Sorry, man. But you do have a tendency to eat so fast you don’t chew,” Lance shrugged.

“I didn’t do this. This has Chris’ name written all over it,” JC said as he directed his glare to the dreadlocked boy who had sprayed whipped cream straight into his mouth.

“Ok,” Chris sighed, putting the can back onto the table. “I’ll confess.” He glanced around the table. “She made me do it!” He pointed an accusing finger in between Mack’s eyes.

“What?” She cried out, shoving his finger out of her face. “You little squealer!” She hissed. “What happened to ‘we’re in this together’?”

“You actually believed that?” he asked with a laugh. “It was her, it was all her.” He held his hands up as if in defense, which it probably was. Mack looked as if she was going to lunge across the table to fight him.

“Well, would you look at the time,” she said with a nervous laugh, glancing at her watch. “I have to get to school.” She jumped up and ran out of the room as fast as she could; JC was close on her heels. She managed to grab her backpack without slowing down, flung the front door open, and ran down the stairs. JC wouldn’t go outside in his pajamas, especially since they had little ducks all over them (she swears those boys don’t ever grow up). “See you later,” she called over her shoulder as she hopped onto her bike and pedaled hard down the street.

She smiled a little as she glided down the streets of Orlando, taking in the beautiful and calming sights around her. People walking with their kids, their pets, riding their bikes, laughing, or talking. She loved the friendly nature of Orlando, well, it was paradise to some people and the vacation-like feel of the city added to the citizens’ spirits.

Mack’s spirits went downhill once she moved her bike into the bike rack. School always had that effect on her. She didn’t know whether it was because she didn’t like school as a whole or because she hated having to spend 8+ hours around ignorant peers. Either way she constantly found herself balling her hands into fists and willing herself not to punch anyone when they spoke to her.

She sighed and started towards the school. ‘Today’s going to be a long day.’

 

-------

 

“Go! Go! Go! Go!” Joey shouted as Justin furiously pressed buttons on the game controller. His eyebrows were knitted together and his tongue was sticking out of the corner of his mouth as he kept his eyes glued on the TV screen. “C’mon, Curly, you can beat this guy!”

“I’m trying,” Justin growled. “And don’t call me Curly!”

“Oh, I forgot. You’re so sensitive about your hair,” Joey said as he pinched a curl between his finger and them and pulled it away from his head. Once he let go the curl bounced back and regained its normal position.

“Ok, Youngster.” Joey smiled innocently as Justin paused the game and glared.

“Honey, could you turn off the game for a few minutes?” Lynn asked as she and Diane came into the living room. Lance put down the book he was reading and peered at the two women who sat down in the empty seats of the room. “Diane and I were thinking of ways to get more people than Orlando citizens to come to your Pleasure Island showcase and we think we came up with a great idea,” she started. “We got the rest of the fan mail that was sent to Justin and Josh from MMC. We thought that we could take every address on here and send them flyers to give you guys a bigger audience. They would want to know what Josh and Justin were up to so they would most likely come.”

“Also, Lou says that it would be a good idea to get a video of you dancing or a demo of you guys singing to prove that this is serious and that you really want to do this so we can send it to record companies to try and get you signed,” Dianne added.

“Lou said he’ll pay for the rental space of a studio too. He’s all ready contacted a vocal coach for you guys. The only thing left is to decide what songs you’re going to showcase and tell Mack so she can think of choreography for you.” Lynn studied the boys’ faces as they sat, listening to the women. “There’s going to be a lot of cooperation on your part and we’re also going to have to give you a schedule every day so this all works out right.” She paused. “Is that ok?”

“I think that’s a great idea,” Lance was the first to speak up, which didn’t shock the rest of them. He was the group proclaimed “business man”; he was the one they turned to when they needed to make important decisions. Take their logo, for instance. They spent three hours arguing over whether or not to choose an apostrophe or a star to mark the omitted ‘i’ in *NSYNC. Also, he was the one who suggested that they add flames to the logo to spice it up a bit.

“I do too,” JC agreed. The other boys nodded their agreement. “I have actually been making a list of songs that I think we could do. One of them being an up-tempo dance version of the Beatles song We can Work it Out.” Lynn and Dianne smiled at each other before quietly leaving the room so the guys could talk. Justin grabbed a piece of paper and wrote down JC’s suggestion.

“I want to do I’ll be Back for More by Natural,” Joey suggested.

“I want to do that Backstreet Boys song…um…Dreaming I think it’s called,” Chris added. He paused. “How long will this showcase be anyway?”

“I’m assuming…a half hour? Maybe a little more? New groups don’t get that much time on stage at PI,” Lance explained. “I think at least four songs will be good. A fifth might be pushing it but we can try it with four songs and with five.”

“Do you think we should have an original song on here?” Justin asked, staring at the list. “I mean, it would appeal more to any execs that might come. I would want to show them that we could write our own songs too and not just have to only sing and dance to covers.” He tapped his pen against the paper as he thought. “Hmm…maybe we should hold off on that for a bit. Otherwise we do have a few really good songs to use for our showcase.” He reached over and grabbed the phone.

“Who’re you calling?” Joey questioned.

“His girlfriend probably,” JC said with a teasing smile. Justin paused with his thumb hovering over a button as he glared at JC. “You have to admit that spent a lot of time with Britney, more time than any other guy and girl on set…aside from Tony and Keri.”

“She’s not my girlfriend,” Justin grumbled.

“So why’re you getting defensive?”

“I’m not!” Justin all but yelled which made JC’s smile get larger. “Shut up!” He pressed the last few buttons and waited. He made a face when the guys made kissing noises and swatted at them, unsuccessfully trying to hit them. “Hey Mack. We’ve decided on some of the songs we want to use for the showcase…Yeah, we want to perform We can Work it Out, I’ll Be Back for More, and Dreaming…No, we’re going to get some sound people to make a dance mix for that…Yeah, you can hear it when you get home…no…no…ok. See you later.” He hung up the phone and threw it as hard as he could at JC, who quickly grabbed a pillow to block his face. The phone bounced harmlessly off of the pillow.

“What was that for?”

“I can throw a phone faster than I can throw a fist,” Justin replied with a shrug.

“And hurt this pretty face?” JC asked as he pointed to himself. “I’m glad you didn’t.”

“You’re so weird.”

Me!? I’m not the one who has to dunk every little piece of cereal in milk before they eat it.”

“Hey, grandma, grandpa, chill out,” Chris called out, a grin on his face. He high fived Joey as the two laughed. Justin reached behind the chair and pulled out a super soaker. Before Chris or Joey could react, he pumped the bottom handle of the gun and hit them with a powerful spray in the water…right as his mom walked by.

“Justin Randall! Not in the house!” She sighed as she pointed towards the front door.

“Randall?” Lance snickered. Justin glared at Lance before turning to look at his mother. She had her ‘I-mean-it’ look on her face. Justin sighed but went outside with the rest of the guys anyway. He shielded his eyes from the bright sun. The next thing he knew he felt a stream of water hitting him in the chest.

“Victory!” Chris shouted as he punched his fists into the air, one hand was holding onto the hose which he had just used to shoot water at Justin.

“Ohhhh, is it a war that you want?” Justin asked, raising an eyebrow and keeping his super soaker up just in case Chris decided to spray him again.

“Bring it on, Curly!” Chris called.

“JC and Lansten are on my side. You get Joey.”

“Why do you get one more person?” Chris pouted. Yes, he actually pouted. Hands on hips, bottom lip out, right knee cocked and everything. He basically took on a girl’s pose, whether he knew it or not. But that’s Chris for ya, he’s unpredictable.

“’Cause I’m the youngest and I always get my way.” Justin gave an innocent smile before shoving JC and Lance to the garage where the rest of their water guns were. While in there they came up with a plan of attack: JC would move around the back of the house, Lance would take a route through the house, and Justin would go around the front using the cars as a shield.

Justin waved his arm, giving them the signal, and they took off. Justin stayed close to the ground as he moved swiftly across the front yard, glancing over his shoulder constantly to make sure he wasn’t being followed. He pressed himself up against a car and looked in the rearview mirror on the opposite side of the car.

He stood up and quickly rushed to a tree for cover. He was almost there when he heard Joey’s unmistakable shout. “I’m going to put the ‘lake’ back in Timberlake!” before he was drenched with water from behind.

“Aaaah! I’ve been hit!”

“Don’t worry; I’ve got your back!” Lance called as he charged out of the house, spraying Joey in the process. Chris ran, seemingly out of nowhere, and soaked Lance as he laughed maniacally, which quickly changed to a scream of shock when JC ran out and started soaking him. Soon they were getting whoever was closest to them, laughing hysterically, faces lit up with genuine happiness that only a group of boys could have.

By the time dinner rolled around the boys were tired from their day of running around, pulling pranks on each other, and getting on each other’s nerves. Lynn and Dianne were surprised that the boys hadn’t grown tired of each other, especially living in close quarters. It was the fact that they were living with each and other and had to learn to deal with each other that made them want to stick it out. Sure, there were times when Lance just wanted to sit down and read while Chris wanted to play a video game with him so he’d constantly beg, but they’d find a compromise and everything would be settled just like that.

“How much longer do we have to wait?” Chris groaned, staring at the pile of mashed potatoes that was stacked up his plate next to his fried chicken. His chin was resting on the table as he stared longingly at the steaming food.

“Until Mackenzie gets home,” Lynn replied. As soon as the sentence left her mouth the sound of the front door opening and closing was heard. They all turned to the doorway as Mack rushed in and took her seat in between Justin and Lance.

“Sorry,” she apologized breathlessly. “I got held up at home.” She wordlessly held out her hands, everyone following suit to say grace. Chris quickly dropped Joey’s and JC’s hands and dug into his chicken. “What did you guys do today?”

“Normal stuff,” Justin said with a shrug. “Robin came over. You remember Robin Wiley, right? She’s helping us with our vocals. Then we heard some stuff that the sound guys made for us which is really cool. The songs should be done by the time school’s over tomorrow so we can start choreography stuff tomorrow.”

“How was school today?” Lynn asked.

“Eh, comme ci comme ca,” Mack replied making a face.

“Huh?” Joey asked.

“So-so,” she replied. “Nothing new happened, it’s just the same old thing. Go to school, do work, and come back.”

“How’s Heather dealing with being a freshman?” JC questioned.

“Don’t you ever talk to your own sister?” Mack asked with a teasing smile.

“Man, since she started school she’s been an emotional mess!” he exclaimed, throwing his hands into the air. “One minute she’s fine, the next she’s yelling and me and Tyler. I have no clue what we even did to her.”

“She’s a girl, get used to it,” Dianne said with a knowing smile. “Just wait until she turns sixteen and gets interested in boys.”

“That’s not gonna happen,” JC said seriously as he shook his head. “Even if I have to lock her in her bedroom and barricade her door there is no way that she is ever going to go on a date.” He paused before looking across the table at Mack. “Same goes for you, too.”

“How did this suddenly turn around on me? And who said anything about me wanting to go on a date? I’d stay single until I’m dead if I had the chance,” she said with an eye roll.

“You say that now. Just know that the guys and I will screen every guy that even tries to talk to you.” He smiled. “Just to make sure.”

“Thanks but you can save your energy,” she said with an eye roll. “I can take care of myself.”

 

----

 

Mack growled as she forced herself to sit up in bed. She didn’t even have to look at the clock to know that it was late. She just couldn’t get to sleep after waking up with a headache from her nightmare. She rarely had nightmares anymore, but when they came back they returned with a vengeance. Most cases they actually scared her from going back to sleep, which wasn’t what she needed right then.

She sighed and got out of bed, slowly opening her door and looking down the dark hallway. She waited until her eyes adjusted to the darkness to make out the site of Justin’s door being wide open. She slowly made her way down the hall, keeping her hand out to make sure she didn’t trip over anything. She tiptoed into his room and leaned over his sleeping figure.

“J,” she whispered as she shook him. “J.”

He groaned, reached out blindly, and turned on the lamp. He opened an eye and took a look at Mack’s face before sitting up. “Bad dream?” he asked, even though he all ready knew the answer. She nodded and he moved over, letting her have room to sit down. “What was it about?” He questioned as she rested her head on his shoulder.

“My parents getting into a car crash,” she replied.

“That’s not that bad.”

“They hit you guys. You all died.”

“Ok, that’s bad.” He sighed and gently stroked her hair. “It was just a dream. It doesn’t mean that it’s going to come true.”

“I know, but it still scared me,” she admitted. “Something like that could happen, you never know.”

“But it can’t. Joey’s Superman, remember? He’d get us out before anything happened,” Justin said while chuckling. It was a joke between them all to call Joey Superman because that was his favorite super hero. He was so obsessed that they were surprised that he didn’t believe that Superman was real.

“He wouldn’t if his kryptonite came along,” she added, smiling a little.

“A hot girl?”

“Duh.” Justin burst out laughing and quickly covered his mouth. The two waited, giggling quietly as they waited to see if anyone else woke up. “That was close,” she muttered. A few seconds later the two jumped at a loud clap of thunder. She instantly grabbed Justin’s arm and buried her face into his chest. She has never been a fan of thunderstorms, especially since they have a tendency to get really bad.

“Come on,” Justin said as he pushed back the covers to his bed and grabbed his pillow. “We’re sleepin’ with Lance.” Mack grabbed his other pillow and followed him out of the room. They slowly made their way back down the hall to Lance’s room. He stirred when Justin accidentally walked into his dresser in the dark.

“Ouch! What the heck?” He hissed. “Who puts a dresser in the middle of the room?”

The two blinked rapidly when Lance suddenly turned on the light. A few seconds later it flickered out and was followed by a loud bang of thunder. He reached into his bedside dresser and pulled out a flashlight. Turning it on he saw Justin making himself comfortable on the extra mattress that was on the floor while Mack climbed into the bed next to him. “What’re you doing?” He asked sleepily.

“We can’t sleep,” Justin replied simply.

“So you decided to sleep with me?” He asked, raising an eyebrow although he moved over so Mack could have more room. “Is this going to become a habit?”

“Only when it’s storming,” Mack replied, settling down next to him.

“Great,” he sighed. He turned off the flashlight, only to look up in another beam of light that practically blinded him. “Hey, turn that thing off!”

“Sorry,” JC apologized as he held the light under his chin before moving it down to Justin then to Mack. “Hey, are you having a sleepover without me?” He demanded, putting his free hand on his hip.

“These two decided to sleep with me ‘cause they can’t sleep,” Lance replied.

“Well, move over, I’m staying here too.”

“Yeah! We’ll all sleep on the bed with Lance!”

“Oh no. No no no!” Lance groaned. Before he could do anything he felt two extra bodies on the bed. “Ow!” he cried out when an elbow hit him in the face.

“Sorrr-eeeee!” Justin whispered from somewhere at the end of the bed.

“I can’t feel my legs,” Mack mumbled.

“Get over it, princess. This is the only chance you’ll get sleepin’ with all of us like this. It must be a dream come true,” Justin replied.

“More like a nightmare.”

“Shut up, the both of ya,” Lance grumbled. “Might as well get Chris in here too,” he added.

“Ssssssh!” JC hissed. “I’m trying to sleep!”

“Hey, what do you want for your birthday?” Justin asked suddenly. That seemed to grab Lance’s and JC’s attention too because the next thing she knew she was being blinded by two flashlights pointed at her face. She sat up and squinted, thinking.

“Nothing really,” she replied making a face.

“Not even a CD? Or a new walkman?” he pressed.

“I don’t know. Maybe go to SeaWorld. I haven’t been there in a while. If not there do something with water, like go jet skiing or tubing. The humidity’s been gettin’ to me lately.” She flinched when there was another boom of thunder and hid under the covers when a bright flash of lightning lit up the night sky.

“Are you really that afraid?” JC questioned.

“Shut up, Joshua!” Mack’s muffled voice responded.

“Oooh. She went full name on you,” Justin said with a teasing smile.

“She’s right, though. We should get some sleep,” Lance mumbled, rolling over so he could settle into sleep. A few seconds later he heard the distinct sign of JC drifting off to sleep. Justin’s relaxed breathing followed suit so the only sound that filled the room was the rumble of thunder in the distance and JC’s snoring.

Mack listened to the boys’ snores as they gently lulled her to sleep. She was still a little afraid of going back to sleep because she didn’t want to have the nightmare again, but she felt somewhat protected with the guys there.

 

End Notes:
Please read and review!
What's so Special about Birthdays Anyway? by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 6: “What’s so special About Birthdays Anyway?”

 

Which is worse: waking up to someone prodding you in the side or waking up to music playing at top volume? Either way, Mack wanted to kill whoever it was who thought it was a bright idea to prod her awake and with thumping music.

The past couple of days have been hard on her, though she tried not to show it. She’s been in and out of the house rushing around for school, dance practice, helping the guys, helping her dad at work, and babysitting in short notices. The only thing she wanted to do was sleep in a bit, especially since it was her birthday and luckily it was a half day.

“Poke her harder!” Someone hissed, probably Joey, Mack was too sleepy to distinguish the voices.

“Touch me and die,” she groaned sleepily. She forced herself to roll onto her back and rubbed her eyes. Only when she sat up all the way did she open her eyes and looked suspiciously at the grinning boys who were standing around her bed. Before she could open her mouth to say something they broke out singing Happy Birthday, badly might she add, but she knew they were only doing it to make her laugh. Their acapella was jaw dropping. “Thanks,” she said, forcing a smile. She was still ticked about her rude awakening. As if sensing her discomfort Justin turned off the radio. There was a reason that he was her best friend.

“Here’s a smiley-face breakfast to start your day–hey! Where’d the smile go?” Justin stared down at the plate in his hands. Two eggs–prepared sunny-side up–were supposed to represent the eyes. The smile was gone. He squinted then glared at Joey who had taken a sudden interest in the ceiling.

“Sorry,” he sighed. “I got hungry on the way here.”

“A staring breakfast, how appetizing,” Mack muttered before taking the plate. “Now leave so I can change.”

The boys didn’t hesitate to leave. Once they were out of ear shot they began talking about plans for her party. They were convinced that she didn’t know a thing and they were pressed for time now that they knew that she only had a half day.

“As soon as she leaves we’ll hit the store and get her party stuff,” Justin told them. “We should be in and out as fast as possible so we can decorate the place. Lance, were you able to contact the water rec. sport people?”

Lance nodded. “We have jet skis, tubing, and a banana boat for our use for a few hours.”

“Good. Joey, JC, what about the cake?” Justin asked, turning to them.

“We can pick it up while we’re out,” Joey replied. Justin stared at him. “I won’t eat any of it, I promise,” he sighed with an eye roll as Justin beamed.

“Good. Chris, you’re going to wrap the presents, right? And get the ones from her parents here,” Justin added, looking at Chris.

“Yup. I got the wrapping paper picked out too,” he said as he pointed to the paper sitting on the kitchen table.

“Christmas trees?” Justin asked as the other guys laughed. “You want to use a Christmas themed wrapping paper in the middle of September?” Before Chris could reply they heard her footsteps coming in their direction. “Quick! Get rid of it!” he hissed, throwing it at Chris, who practically dropped them all. He quickly ran out of the room as Mack came in.

“Where are Lynn and Dianne?” She questioned, looking around.

“They went…shopping,” Lance said as he smiled a little.

“Uh huh,” she muttered, not believing him.

“Is that what you’re wearing today?” Justin questioned.

“Yeah, what’s wrong with it?” She asked, looking down. She was wearing a hooded t-shirt with the number 22 on the front in red. The rest of the shirt except for the hem, sleeves, and hood were white. She paired it with red shorts that stopped at her knees and black mid-cut vans. She decided to pull her jet black hair back into a ponytail although her bangs still fell into her eyes.

“Wouldn’t you want to wear something more…special?”

“Stop being a girl, you’re starting to scare me.” She shook her head. “I’m splitting early. I’m going to meet Heather and I won’t be back until, like, two, I have to help dad at work.”

“Have a good day,” the guys chorused before pulling her into a group hug. She stood in the center stiffly. She hated group hugs, they felt fake to her. She knew the boys only did it to bother her. They watched as she grabbed her bike and pedaled down the street.

“Ok, let’s go!” Joey said as he grabbed his keys. “Chris, you stay here.”

“Me? Why me? Why can’t I go with you?” He whined.

“We need someone to be here in case she comes back early so you can lie for us,” Joey explained impatiently. “You’re the best liar. We don’t believe half of the things you say now. You’re an expert.”

Joey closed the door in Chris’s face and ran down  to his car where the other guys were all ready sitting, fighting over what radio station to listen to. Joey declared that since it was his car, it was his rules so they had to listen to whatever he wanted to. That meant they were stuck listening to the Grease soundtrack.

They practically catapulted themselves out of his car once they pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store. JC grabbed a cart, ran a bit, and jumped onto it as the cart rolled across the parking lot. Justin and Lance grabbed the sides and pulled him along, running as fast as they could to help him pick up speed. JC quickly dropped to the ground, using his feet to stop moving. He turned and glared at Lance and Justin. “You did that on purpose,” he stated before pushing the cart though the automatic doors, the same doors which he would’ve crashed into since he was moving so fast.

“What is it that we need exactly?” Joey asked as they navigated the aisle.

“Umm, soda, chips, punch, streamers, lights, tiki torches, confetti, balloons, and the cake if I’m not forgetting anything else,” Justin listed off. “How about we split up so we can get this done faster? Lance and I will get the food stuff; you guys can get everything else.”

“Should we get the cake now?” Joey questioned.

“No, we should get it last. That way it won’t be crushed after we get everything else,” JC replied.

“What is a balloon going to do to a cake?” Joey asked in exasperation. “Come on, let’s just get it last. J conveniently forgot that we need burgers, hot dogs, and fries.”

“But that’s not on the list!” JC said as he followed Joey, pushing the cart as fast as he could to keep up with his friend.

“What kind of birthday party doesn’t have barbecue?” Joey questioned without turning around.

“But it’s not on the list!”

“Who cares about the dang list?” Joey cried, throwing his arms up into the air.

I do,” JC replied. “If there isn’t any sort of organization this surprise party would flop and who do you think would get blamed for it?”

“Justin,” Joey replied without hesitation.

JC opened his mouth to say something but paused, pondering over his answer. “That’s true,” he admitted. “But we’d be pulled into it by default. Now, unless you want a pissed off girl on your hands, we’re following the list.”

“Why do you do that?” Joey questioned, following JC down an aisle.

“Do what?” JC questioned, annoyed.

“Whenever we have to do something you stick to it until you work it to death,” Joey replied. “Like…like our Pleasure Island audition? You wouldn’t let us take a break until we have every pitch perfect.”

“So sue me for growing up learning to finish one task before starting a new one.” JC paused in front of a selection of streamers, tapping his chin. “Which one is better?” He asked as he held up the two bags. “This one’s cheaper,” he said as he lifted the bag that was in his right hand. “But this one has more variety,” he said as he lifted the other.

“Get both!” Joey said as he grabbed them and threw it into the cart.

“But the budget–”

“You know what?” Joey interrupted him, grabbing the cart out of JC’s hands. “Let me deal with this, man. You go and get the cake. I’ll meet you at the cash registers.” Joey then took off running down the aisle before JC could do anything.

JC grumbled under his breath as he navigated to the desert section of the store. He waited patiently in line for his turn. A few young girls came up to him, recognizing him from MMC, and asked for his autograph. He was pleasantly shocked but signed the autographs with a smile and a thank you.

“Next!” The lady behind the counter called.

“Hi. I’m here to pick up a cake, under the name Timberlake,” JC informed the man. The man went to a refrigerator nearby and took out the cake. JC peered at the cake through the plastic cover and his mouth fell open. “Uh oh.”

 

--*--*--

 

“I’m so glad we only had a half day of school,” Heather commented as she threw her arms into the air and tilted her head back so the warm Florida sun rays beat down on her face. “So, birthday girl, you have any plans?”

“Nah, I’m just going to hang at the house,” Mack replied as they reached the bike rack.

“I still don’t get how you can deal with living with all those guys 24/7,” Heather said as she unlocked her bike and pulled it out of the rack. “I mean, Lance is really nice, he can’t really get on your nerves. But everyone else and Josh? I’d be tearing out of there in a millisecond.”

“They’re all fine by themselves. It’s when they’re together is when I have to have a lot of patience,” Mack said as she swung her leg over her bike. Heather followed suit and soon they were leisurely pedaling into the city to get to Philippe’s studio. “I mean, I like their energy but sometimes I want to kill them. I’m glad that they use some of their energy for dancing and singing–you should see them, they’ve improved a lot–but it’s like they never run out of it.”

“That should be a good thing,” she pointed out.

“Yeah, is great that they always try to get on my nerves. The worst part is that it works…all the time!”

Heather laughed as Mack fought the smile that was coming to her face. She’s been living with the boys for about two weeks now. She’s gotten used to their high jinks and their habits, but there was something about them that still irked her, she just couldn’t put her finger on it. It was either that they always wanted to do something with her, as if they were clingy, or that they always wanted to know what she was up to, when what she really wanted was to be left alone at times. She understood that they were just looking out for her, or spying on her for her parents’ sake, but she still needed time by herself.

“This is it,” Mack announced as she parked her bike right outside of the photo studio. She waved to her Dad through the window who waved back and motioned the two inside. “You’ll get used to the smell,” she added once they stepped inside. “Dad!” She called. He held up a finger to a woman before crossing the room and pulling her into a hug. “Dad, this is Heather. JC’s sister, she’s in my class,” she said pointing to Heather who waved.

“It’s nice to meet you Heather,” Philippe greeted her with a big smile. “It’s a nice change to see her hanging out with other girls instead of guys all of the time.”

“It’s only ‘cause girls are high maintenance and I’m not,” Mack said with an eye roll. Heather shot her an offended look. “Except her,” Mack quickly added. “What do you need help with?”

“Getting the orders ready for pick up, that’s all I need today, sweetie,” he replied before going back over to the woman who stood by waiting.

“’Kay, Dad. You want to help? It doesn’t take long to get the orders ready,” Mack said as she moved into the back room. “All we have to do is check the list,” she picked up a clipboard, “and take the ready photos and put them in the right frames and envelopes so they’re ready to be picked up.”

“Wow! Your dad took these? These are amazing!” Heather commented as she picked up a random family picture that was sitting on the counter.

“The best ones are the water side shots with the natural light,” Mack said in a distracted tone as she gently framed a separate picture. “Can’t beat natural light, but artificial light works well too, only if you have the right exposure.”

Heather couldn’t help but notice the tone of pride that was in her voice. Usually she stayed away from talking about her parents but when she does it’s as if they were the best thing on the planet. She idolizes them, she’s the only person that Heather knew who would actually want to hang out with her parents if she ever go the chance. But lately it’s been a somewhat touchy subject with her, as if she was ashamed of them or something.

Heather hasn’t known Mack long–only about two years only ‘cause they met through JC and Justin during MMC–but she considered Mack her best friend, especially since the two girls always hung out during school, passing notes and talking about the other girls and ignoring the immature boys. She would even go as far as saying that they were close, she knew what got on Mack’s nerves, she knew her secret dream of being a star, whether by dancing or singing, which no one knew that she does, she also knew that Mack had a thing for singers. The only thing that she couldn’t figure out is why Mack was keeping something from her and acting so down, especially when it was her birthday.

“So, uh, what’re you going to do for your birthday?” Heather asked, breaking the silence. She all ready knew that the boys were planning a party; she just needed to make sure that Mack was still clueless about it.

“Stay home. I’m not really big on doing huge stuff for my birthday,” she replied with a shrug, gently sliding a few pictures into an envelope before sealing it and writing on the front.

“You don’t ever go out for dinner? Or go see a play or something?” Heather asked while raising her eyebrows.

“Nope. I’d rather stay home and do some intimate stuff with my Mom and Dad. I could go to a restaurant or to a play any other time,” she replied with a small smile. It seemed forced but Heather couldn’t tell. “Hmm, I finished early today. We can head out now. You want to come back to my place or should we go to yours?”

‘It’s way too early for her to go back to her place.’ “Mine!” Heather blurted out. “My Mom wants to give you your present anyway.”

“She didn’t have to get me anything.”

“Yeah, well she sees you as a second daughter so she couldn’t resist.”

“Hey Dad, we’re done,” Mack called as the two girls went to the front of the store. “The ready photos are labeled and laid out on the counter ready for pick up. If there’s nothing else you need me to do, Heather and I are going to split.”

“No dear, you can go,” he said with a smile. “Hug first.” He held out his arms and Mack eagerly rushed to give him a hug. He easily picked her up off of the ground and held her tight as she laughed.

“Don’t squish me, Dad!” She laughed as he put her back down on the ground. “I’ll see you later. Have a good day.”

The two girls left the store and grabbed their bikes, pedaling towards the Chasez home as they talked about which teachers they liked and didn’t like. By the time they reached the Chasez home they were in a debate over which teacher was better to get away with anything.

“Mom! I’m home and Mack’s here too,” Heather shouted as she pushed open the door to the home. Mack slipped in behind Heather and quickly took off her shoes, remembering the house rule. A smile came to her face as she took in her surroundings. The house had signs of people living in it, not like the other homes she went to that were so neat that it looked like no one lived there. Pictures were hung up on almost every inch of the walls, showing the growth of the Chasez children over the years. “Mom?” She shouted again.

“I’m in the kitchen!” Karen shouted back.

Mack followed Heather slowly, studying every picture as she walked towards the kitchen. She tried to ignore the pang that was beating at her heart but it got harder the longer she looked at the pictures of the children. She was with Justin so much that she rarely ever felt the effects of being an only child but when she did it hit her hard, like now. She envied her friends so much sometimes it scared her. She felt as if they were her brothers, but it wasn’t the same. They had siblings to go home to, she didn’t. She shook her head. ‘It’s in the past now, get over it.’

“Hi Karen. Hey Tyler,” Mack greeted the two with a smile.

“Hi!” Tyler greeted back with enthusiasm. “I didn’t know you were coming.”

“Last minute thing.” She shrugged and sat down on a stool. “How’ve you been, Ty?”

“Good, I guess. School’s boring, but that’s not surprising,” he said with a shrug. “History is getting a little tough though,” he added, dropping his gaze. “Do you think you could help me? I mean, if you ever have time.” He blushed in embarrassment as Mack chuckled.

“Sure. Whenever you need help, just ask.” Heather shared a smile with Karen who chuckled and shook her head. It was obvious that Tyler liked her; he just wouldn’t admit it even though he went out of his way to try and be around her. “You said something about a gift? I have to get it and go before the guys destroy the house.”

“I’ll get it,” Heather offered.

“How are the boys doing, anyway?” Karen asked.

“They’ve improved so much in only a week, it’s amazing,” Mack replied. “By the time the showcase rolls around they’re going to knock everyone off of their feet. The choreography is still a little shaky, but that’s only because I still haven’t gotten a full idea on what I want them to do for a specific song. I’m still working it out in my head. Their vocals are perfect, it can’t get any better. I’m telling you, their acapella is amazing it’ll make a crowded room fall silent at the first note. Once everything is put together they’re going to be a hit.”

“How is Josh doing about the performing aspect?” Karen questioned. “I realize that he did the MMC show for a while but as soon as that was over he reverted back to his old ways.”

“Basically he’s a wuss,” Tyler filled in.

“Tyler!” Karen scolded as Tyler shrugged and turned his attention back to his homework.

“He’s fine now, it’s when the fact that they’re going to do the showcase dawns on him is when I’ll be worried,” Mack admitted. “His perfectionist ways will end up being his downfall and I’m trying to get him to realize that he’s human but that’s a challenge in itself but I can break him one way or another.”

“I don’t doubt that,” Karen said with a laugh.

“Here you go,” Heather said as she held out the wrapped box. “Call me once you open it.”

“Ok, see you later and thanks.”

 

--*--*--

 

“This is bad. This is so bad,” JC muttered as he stared down at the cake on the table.

“Relax. We can’t panic in this situation,” Lance replied. “So they got the flavor wrong, big deal. It’s not like it’s a disaster.” He rubbed his chin. “We could always make a new one. She wouldn’t know the difference.”

“Ok, that’s the only thing we can do I guess,” Justin sighed. “How much time until she gets here?”

Joey opened his mouth but stopped when he heard the sound of a key in the lock. “None,” he announced with a smile.

“Now you can panic,” Lance told JC, who nodded and started taking deep breaths. “It could be my mom,” he suggested lamely.

“Guys? Where are you?” Mack shouted.

“You wish she were your mom,” Chris commented.

“Hide the cake!” Justin whispered. JC grabbed the cake and ran out of the room right as Mack came in.

“Hey. How was your day?” She asked and immediately went over to Justin to give him a hug, like she always did when she got home.

“It was all right. But now that you’re here we can go out. We have a surprise for you,” he replied as he pushed her towards the door.

“Thanks, but I have to study for Geometry and–” she started to protest.

“Do it later. Come on, you’ll have fun. Trust us.” Despite her protests Justin managed to direct her out the door and to the cars right as Lynn and Dianne pulled into the driveway. “We’ll be back later,” he told the two mothers. He gently shoved Mack away from him before lowering his voice. “We’ll be gone long enough to get everyone here but we have a small problem. The cake is chocolate and we need a vanilla one. Do you think you could…?”

“Sure, sweetie. Be back about…six?”

“All right.”

Justin jumped into the car and squished in the backseat with Chris, Mack, and Lance. He waved to his mother as they backed out of the driveway and drove towards their destination. The guys smiled to themselves as Mack kept asking questions, trying to guess where they were going, but they wouldn’t budge, which frustrated her. She crossed her arms over her chest and pouted, causing them to laugh.

“Come ooooon,” she whined. “Tell me.”

“That’ll ruin the surprise,” JC pointed out.

“So? For all I know you could be kidnapping me,” she pointed out.

“This would be too easy, though,” Joey pointed out without taking his eyes off of the road. “Kidnappers usually go through an even more elaborate plan then letting Lynn and Dianne know that we’re just taking you somewhere.”

“That’s comforting,” she muttered sarcastically.

The rest of the way to the unknown destination Justin and Chris kept complaining about the other elbowing them in the face. Eventually they got into a fight and started elbowing each other in the ribs whenever they had the chance. That, eventually, turned into them trying to hurt the other as much as possible in the cramped space, which meant that Lance ended up being on the receiving end of most blows.

Finally they reached their destination, which was the marina. Spending a few hours at the marina was part one of her present, which made her slightly afraid to know what part two was. After getting briefed on how to run the wave runners they pulled on their wetsuits and took off. Soon they made a game to see who could splash the others the most.

They spent most of the time having races on the waveruners and riding on the inner tubes. They decided to take one long ride on the banana boat before heading back to the house. They got Lance and JC to sit in the front, Mack and Justin in the middle, and Joey and Chris in the back to balance out the weight.

“Everyone ready?” Lance asked as he gripped the handle in front of him. They nodded and he waved to the boat driver, signaling to get the ride started. The boat quickly picked up speed and pulled them across the top of the water. It only took one sharp turn for Chris to lose his balance and grab onto the handle in front of him to stay on.

“Guys! We have a dangler!” Joey shouted as he glanced over his shoulder. Everyone else turned around to see Chris half on the banana and half dangling in the water.

“Figures Chris would find a way to do something stupid,” Justin commented.

“It is Chris you’re talking about,” JC pointed out. “I say leave him. If he wants to have a thrill, I say let him.”

“I say we get him back on,” Mack spoke up.

“What’s going to happen to him? His skin turns wrinkly?” JC questioned with an eye roll.

“He could get hurt!”

“From water?”

“JC, she has a point,” Lance said as he turned around.

“Guys! Come on! I’m slipping!” Chris shouted from the back of the banana. He coughed and spluttered from the spray that constantly hit him in the face.

“Ok. Lance, you get the drive to stop. JC, you, Justin, and Joey turn around,” Mack instructed as she turned around herself. Justin, Joey, and JC did as they were told, grasping the handle in front of them. “Ok, Joey grab Chris’s hands. Justin you grab the belt strap on the back of his life vest, I’ll grab yours, JC will grab mine, and we can all pull Chris back onto the banana. On three! One…two…three!” Almost automatically Joey, JC, Mack, and Justin were pulled towards the water from Chris being pulled across the water surface.

Joey! Pull him up!” Justin shouted.

“Lance, stop the freakin’ boat!” JC yelled, pulling hard on Mack’s life jacket to keep her from sliding off the banana. “God, what’d you eat today?”

“Are you insinuating something?” Mack yelled back, turning her head to glare at him properly.

“Yeah, you gotta lay off the Oreos!” He grunted as he struggled to pull them all back onto the banana.

“We have bigger problems than Mack’s Oreo addiction!” Justin groaned, trying to pull Joey.

“It is not an addiction!”

“Sneaking into the kitchen in the middle of the night constitutes as an addiction!” JC added.

“How’d you find out about that?” Mack questioned.

“I can hear the bag crinkling all the way down the hall!”

“Hey you two! Stop flirting and help us!” Joey shouted. They took another sharp turn and everyone, except Lance, was sent flying off of the banana and landed in the water with a splash. “Never mind,” he groaned once his head broke the surface.

“I got the boat to stop,” Lance called from the banana. The wet teens glared at him and splashed him as best as they could.

 

--*--*--

 

“My lady,” Lance said with a deep bow before straightening up and holding out his hand to Mack. She laughed a little and took his hand, allowing him to help her out of the car. She had to hold in her excitement of getting out of the cramped car. Being stuck next to Chris on the way back wasn’t good for her anger management. The fact that he wouldn’t drop Joey’s flirt comment was reason enough for her to want to knock his lights out, but the guys needed him so she refrained.

“What’re you doing?” Mack demanded as Lance placed his hands over her eyes.

“Trust me,” was his only reply as he led her around the back of the house as the guys rushed in through the front door. “I won’t let you trip and this isn’t a trick.” His smooth bass voice instantly calmed her. Her tense shoulders dropped and she allowed him to lead her wherever he was taking her.

‘They’ve proven time and time again that you can trust them. Relax,’ Mack told herself. Despite repeating that to herself her heart was racing a mile a minute. She was ready to jump up and race out of there in case it actually was a trick, it wasn’t beneath them. Pranks are their form of entertainment when they were bored and she was usually the target.

And they got bored very easily, unfortunately for her.

“Almost there,” Lance told her as he placed his hands on her shoulders, stopping her from walking. He checked to make sure her eyes were still closed before taking her hand. “Ok, you can look now.”

She opened her eyes and blinked rapidly, as if not believing what she was seeing. The backyard was decorated with different colored streamers, balloons hung off of chairs that were moved into the backyard, and it was filled with people, some from MMC, some were friends from Memphis, some were family from Canada, some from school, and the others were the family of the guys, whom she also considered family.

“You…but…I…when…?” She stuttered.

“You’re welcome,” Lance said simply before hugging her as everyone burst into cheers.

“I thought I told you guys I hated parties,” Mack mumbled.

“Like we’d believe that. Everyone loves parties,” he replied, giving her hand a squeeze. “But this isn’t it.”

“It’s not?” She questioned. “What else could there be?”

“Go to your room,” Joey replied suddenly, causing Mack to jump. “Go to your room,” he repeated when she didn’t budge. She sighed and did as he said, going into the house. “Wait for it,” he said as he held up his finger. “Three…two…one.” As soon as he said ‘one’ girls screams filled the air and the two broke into a smile. “Ok. Chris, go get the last thing,” he called across the yard as he kept his eyes on the door.

“I’m on it,” he said before running towards the front yard, JC and Justin followed close behind. As soon as they left the backyard Mack came back into the backyard with Christina and Britney at her hells, laughing about something that girls would find funny.

“Ok, we have one more present for you…kinda. This is part two,” Lance announced. “Please sit in this chair,” he said as he took Mack’s hand and pulled her to the middle of the backyard where a solitary chair sat in the middle of the yard. “Close your eyes.”

“I’m beginning to not trust you, ya know,” she replied instead of closing her eyes. “First I say I don’t want a party and then you do all this. What’s next, you’re going to shove me off a cliff?” The guests chuckled although Lance knew that she was being serious with her accusations.

“Just do it,” Joey sighed, wanting to get this over with. She had a record of being stubborn until she got her way, which almost always happened in her case. Joey thought it was only because she was a girl and the youngest that she got her way a lot whereas she says that it’s only because she works for what she gets.

She let out a heavy breath and closed her eyes. Once they made sure her eyes were closed Lance and Joey waved their hands. JC, Chris, and Joey came back into the backyard, each carrying something. Smiles immediately came onto the guests’ faces and they pressed their lips together to make sure they didn’t give away the guys’ present.

Mack waited impatiently on her chair, tapping her toes against the ground and drumming her fingers against the bottom of the chair. She bit her bottom lip doing everything she could to stop herself from jumping out of the chair. She was getting antsy and paranoid, which wasn’t a good combination for her. The slightest sound would cause her to go rocketing out of the chair at any moment.

‘This could be a trick,’ she told herself then instantly squashed the idea. ‘What could they do in front of all the people without getting in trouble? You have to stop jumping to conclusions.’ She let out a breath. ‘So what could it be? The boys are very unpredictable. What if it’s a snake? Or a lizard? Or…what the heck?’ She opened her eyes and looked down, only to have her eyes locked with the bright brown eyes of the white Maltese puppy that was sitting on her lap.

“Awww,” the guests cooed before applauding and started singing Happy Birthday. Mack’s smile was so big her cheeks started to hurt. She couldn’t remember the last time she was ever that happy and the fact that the guys were the cause for it made the day even better.

After the song was finished everyone started talking, music started pouring out of speakers that was brought in, and the air was filled with the cries of little kids as they ran around the older guests. The night was filled with laughter of stories told from her past, some of which included Justin and their friend Trace Ayala, which caused bigger laughs to come from Lance, Joey, Chris, and JC while Justin blushed in embarrassment. Someone came up with the idea of karaoke so people got up and started singing random songs, come caused them all to laugh while others got them up to dance.

“What’re you going to name it?” Britney asked as she scratched the dog’s head. She, Mack, and Christina had taken a break from dancing and were sitting at one of the tables. Ryan Gosling and T.J. Fantini had joined them and were helping her think of names.

“How about Fluffy?” Ryan suggested.

“That’s too cliché,” Mack said as she shook her head. “I want it to be unique or clever.”

“How about Salt?” T.J. questioned.

“Vanilla,” Christina suggested.

“Ghost,” Britney suggested. “The guys are very sweet to do this for you.”

“By ‘guys’ do you mean Justin?” Mack asked with a teasing grin as Britney hit her on the arm. “Ow! What? I’m only asking a question here. You don’t have to get defensive…unless you like him.”

“Shut up, I do not,” Britney protested.

“I never said you did, I’m just suggesting you are.”

“Your reaction practically confirmed it though,” Christina added, grinning as Britney grew frustrated. “You can’t hide it, Brit.”

“Yeah. You made it so obvious on set,” Ryan spoke up. “I’m surprised he hasn’t caught on.”

“Well, he is a boy,” Christina pointed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” T.J. questioned an edge to his voice although the girls knew that his anger was false.

“She means that you’re very oblivious when it comes to girls liking one of you,” Mack replied.

“Like you and Tony?” Britney spoke up.

“Hey!” Mack cried out as they laughed and she tightened her grip on her puppy as he tried to climb out of her arms. “Excuse me, Ms. Spears, but I never had a crush on Tony,” she declared, causing the others to laugh again.

“Really? ‘Cause I seem to remember someone following him around every time they visited the set,” Ryan said with a teasing grin.

“Coming from the guy that had a crush on a different girl every week.”

“You were the longest, just so you know.”

Mack’s lip twitched as she fought a smile. Ryan was known for flirting with any and almost every girl he met, so it never surprised her when he said something like that. He was like another Joey, but more naïve and able to bounce back after a rejection. She opened her mouth to reply when the screeching sound of feedback filled the air.

“Sorry,” Justin apologized as he tilted the mic down to his mouth. “The guys and I have one more present for Mack. It’s a song we’ve been working on and we’ve spent hours recording it and getting the dance moves right. I hope you all enjoy it.” He backed up a bit and nodded at the guys who were waiting. Suddenly a beach-feeling song started to play in the background. Once the intro played a bit JC stepped up to his mic.

 

Oh oh ooh oh ooh...

She stood out just like a
diamond baby
Amongst the tourists in a crowded room
I took a walk along the sandy
beaches
Under a silver Caribbean moon
That's when she...

Justin, Joey, Lance, and Chris joined in once it hit the pre-chorus.

She promised that (I promised this)
And I promised this
And 'til this day I can still
picture it

She took my hand (I took her kiss)
And I took her kiss
So temporary these moments of bliss

Some dreams just fade away
Like yesterday's sunset
Some dreams are made to stay
She's one dream I'll never forget

Oh oh ooh oh ooh...

Justin and JC pulled their mics off of the stand and smiled at each other before singing.

Everyday just seemed to go too quickly
And every night just passed us in a blur
I never noticed the blue skies and water
Because I only had eyes for her
And so when...

Joey, Lance, and Chris came back in.

She promised that (I promised this)
And I promised this
And 'til this day I can still
picture it
She took my hand (I took her
kiss)
And I took her kiss
So temporary these moments of bliss

Some dreams just fade away
Like yesterday's sunset
Some dreams are made to stay
She's one dream I'll never forget

Stroll back, those crazy summer days (Oh yeah)
Stroll back
I'll find you through the haze

 Some dreams just fade away
Like yesterday's sunset
Some dreams are made to stay (Some dreams will stay)
She's one dream I'll never forget

Some dreams just fade away
Like yesterday's sunset
Some dreams are made to stay (Some dreams will stay)
She's one dream I'll never forget

 

--*--*--

 

“So, did you have fun?” Justin asked Mack that night. She looked at him in the mirror of the bathroom she was standing in front of. Having her mouth filled with toothpaste foam she nodded as she continued to brush her teeth. “I think I outdid myself this time,” he said with a grin as he rubbed his knuckles on his shirt and she rolled her eyes. “How am I going to top myself next year?”

Mack pushed her hair out of her face and spat into the sink before wiping foam off of her mouth and looking at him. “I don’t want any parties next year. I say that every year and you don’t listen.”

“That’s because every year you don’t mean it,” he responded.

“How’d you manage to get all my MMC friends here anyway?” She asked, not being able to hide her curiosity as she ran water over her toothbrush and put it back in the holder with the five others.

“Ah, now that’s going to be my little secret,” he replied as he lifted a finger in the air. He looked down when he felt something cold touch his ankle. “What’re you naming him anyway?” He asked, scratching the puppy’s head.

“I don’t know,” Mack said with a shrug. “For now I’m calling him Little J.”

“Why?”

“’Cause he follows you around and he’s hyper all the time,” she replied with a laugh. He looked at her in surprise. “Yes, I’m naming him after you. It’s the least I could do.” She paused. “You should be glad I’m not punishing you for that chocolate thing.”

“Hey, that wasn’t my fault!” he said as he brought his hands up as if to shield him. “Blame the cake people at the store.” He put down his hands and opened his arms for a hug, which she instantly gave him. “Sorry about your parents not making it,” he mumbled into her hair.

“They had to work late. It happens,” she said with a shrug.

“You going to bed?”

“Not yet. I’m going to talk to Brit and Christina for a while. We’ll probably crash around 3 AM if we’re lucky,” she replied, turning back to the sink.

“Ok. See you in the morning.” He kissed her cheek and left the bathroom. His words stayed with him. She was actually really annoyed that her parents couldn’t show, for her birthday of all days. Her parents just don’t forget, even if they were going to be late getting home they’d call her. They wouldn’t leave her thinking something had happened to them.

‘They didn’t call at all to tell me they had to stay at work late,’ she thought as she brushed her hair. ‘Mom staying late makes sense, but Dad? He’d at least be home for my birthday. But both of them missing it? Something must be up.’ Her smile faded a little. ‘What’s so special about birthdays anyway?’

 

End Notes:
I don't own any people you recognize, I only own my own characters. Wow, this was the longest chapter I've ever written, minus the lyrics. Please read and review.
Strange Feeling by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 7: Strange Feeling

 

The girls stayed up late that night, catching each other up on what’s been going on in their lives. After MMC was cancelled Britney and Christina decided to go back to their normal lives, attending school and being normal teenagers, going to parties and hanging out with friends. The two also spent the night grilling Mack about living in a house with the boys, which Christina and Mack easily turned the conversation around on Britney liking Justin, which caused them all to get into a huge pillow fight, Little J ran around the room barking, wanting to stay in the action.

Eventually they just lay down, fighting off sleep as they talked about how they would see themselves in the future. Eventually they fell asleep and only woke up the next morning ‘cause Mack had to go to school and they, unfortunately, had to leave while she was gone. They promised to call each other as much as possible and Mack didn’t feel as bad as she thought she would when she had to leave.

The next couple of weeks flew by for her. They were filled with every spare moment used for dancing and singing and, in the boys’ case, staying away from Mack when she was in one of her ‘moods’. She didn’t have her ‘moods’ as much as she used to when she first started being their choreographer, but when it came up they knew to stay away from her.

When they weren’t practicing they were spending a lot of time together to create “a better connection in the band” to go along with what Pearlman says. The downside to that was that Mack was with them a lot more than she could tolerate at the time. Now she could tolerate their antics, and sometimes joins in, but otherwise she’d stand back shaking her head asking herself what she got herself into.

A lot Lynn or Dianne would always reply. As it got closer to the Pleasure Island date the boys got calmer and more focused, which surprised Mack greatly. Between three and seven, and sometimes much later, the boys would actually listen to her and follow her lead instead of going off on a tangent and making her want to pull her hair out. Sometimes she even had to force the guys to stop practicing because they wanted to make sure everything was perfect. Seeing that side of the boys made her sure that they would make it big because they had the drive and the focus to do it.

During that time she got to understand what made the boys tick–which she used to her advantage–and how they worked. Lance wasn’t as good as a dancer as the rest of them so she spent one on one time with him. She got to know him better and considered him another best friend, not on the exact same level as Justin but very close. He always listened to what she had to say and was always the first to make sure she wasn’t insulted by what the other boys said or did.

Joey, she found out the hard way, was a huge flirt but it was also a comfort to her. She always woke up expecting him to say something about her now. It always made her day start off on a better foot and she woke up with a better mood, the guys have noticed. Joey claimed that it was because she was secretly attracted to him and she laughed it off politely. They both knew that she wouldn’t go for a guy who was so…friendly, to put it nicely.

Chris may have been older than her but it also meant he knew all of the best tricks to play on people, which Mack loved about him. Whenever she was in the mood for revenge she’d go to him to get a good idea. Usually the butt of her pranks would be Justin, Joey, and sometimes even Lance or JC, who had the right idea to leave her alone most times. With Chris’ help her pranks became more “mature”. She was surprised that they hadn’t found out that Chris was behind it, but it didn’t matter. As long as Chris gave her good prank ideas she’d supply him with the candy that was taken away from him which she took back.

The only one she didn’t get along well with was JC, but that was mainly his fault, or so she says. If they were staying up trying to finish a board game he’d make them finish it early because they had to get to sleep for the next day. He’d also stop them from doing something he classified as dangers while they thought it was fun–such as jumping off the roof and into the pool. He started acting so much like a dad that the boys dubbed him “Big Daddy” while Mack preferred to call him “Party Pooper” or “PP” for short.

That–her constant name calling, being blunt, and sarcasm–was the main reason the two ended up fighting. She was loud, blunt, sarcastic, and very opinionated while JC was quiet, took everything to heart, sincere, and willing to listen to different sides of a situation. She always had a sarcastic comment ready to be shot out if JC commented on something, which easily got JC annoyed which got them into a fight. They fight over the smallest things.

“Hey! Change it back!”

Such as fighting over what to watch on TV.

It was a few days before their Pleasure Island showcase and, instead of having one more run through, the guys decided to take that day off so they wouldn’t overwork themselves. Mack was busy watching TV with Justin and Lance when JC came in and joined them. A few minutes into the cartoon JC grabbed the remote and changed the channel, causing Mack to yell at him.

JC just ignored her as he continued flipping the channels before leaving it on the History Channel. He didn’t want to waste his energy fighting with her, he didn’t get any sleep that night and he wasn’t in the mood for a headache.

“I was here first,” she continued, oblivious to the waves of frustration that was coming off him like a radiator.

“I’m older,” he replied simply. It was a lame excuse, they all knew it, but it actually worked sometimes. Unfortunately, today wasn’t one of those days.

“Not by much,” she said as she reached across Justin to grab the remote from JC’s hand. JC quickly switched it to his other hand and held it out so she couldn’t get to it. He smiled to himself. ‘I knew being tall would come in handy one day.’ “JC!” She huffed. “Give it back!”

“What’s the magic word?” He asked.

Now!” She snarled.

“Guess again!”

Lance sighed. He could see what was going to happen next before it even happened. Mack would jump across Justin to get the remote, hitting Justin in the process. JC would hold his arm out as far as he could, knowing that she wouldn’t be able to reach it. Then she would get up, chase him around the house as they yell at each other, find their way into the back yard, she’d tackle him, grab the remote, and they’d act like nothing happened.

He didn’t understand their friendship at all, if you could call it that. One minute they were on good terms, even getting along with each other and the next they’d be at each other’s throats because he would say something about her height and she’d have a sarcastic remark on the tip of her tongue. They’d be fighting like brothers and sisters would fight and the boys found it amusing so they hardly ever did anything to stop the two. Their fights would diffuse on their own.

“’Kenzie, let’s go for a walk,” Lance spoke up, getting to his feet. He didn’t wait for her response as he went to his room to grab his shoes. He slipped them onto his feet and went back into the living room where Mack was waiting by the door. She was glaring at the back of JC’s head as he and Justin watched Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. He lightly placed his hand on the small of her back to lead her out the front door.

“Where are you two going?” Lynn asked, coming into the living room.

“We’re just going for a walk, Mommy Lynn,” Mack replied, tilting her head towards the door.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea,” she said as she glanced at the clock. “Dinner will be ready in a moment and I would like some help with setting the table.”

“That’s what your wonderful, caring son is for,” Mack said with a big smile as Justin’s head whipped around, eyes squinted in annoyance. “We’ll just go around the block; we’ll be back before you know it. I promise.” She quickly pulled open the door and shoved Lance outside before stepping out herself. She flinched when the thick feeling of humidity wrapped around her. She loved the constant warm weather, but the humidity she could do without.

The two walked in a comfortable silence down the street, the only sound filling the air was children’s’ screams in the distance and their shoes connecting with the sidewalk. Mack was walking with a bounce in her step, as if music were playing in her head while Lance took a leisurely pace. She glanced over her shoulder and slowed down, noticing the thoughtful expression that was on his face. It was laced with a little bit of uncomforted, which she was surprised to see. Sure, he had only met the group a few months ago and he was still fairly new to their mannerisms, but they did the best they could to help him fit in.

“Penny for them,” she said as she poked him in the ribs suddenly, causing him to jump. She laughed as he blushed in embarrassment and looked down at his feet. “C’mon, out with it Bass. What’s on your mind? You know you can tell me.”

“I know…it’s just…” he let out a breath and continued to look at his feet as she peered at him in curiosity. “I don’t feel like I fit in here.” He finally looked up at her, his forest green eyes locking with crystal blue ones. “It’s been a few months but…I can’t shake this feeling.” He shrugged and sighed again. “I mean, I can’t do any of the choreography right. I’m surprised you still want me around. I understand that you need my voice but…”

“James Lance Bass, stop right there,” Mack said as she flung out her arm to stop him from walking. “If you think the only reason the boys chose you is ‘cause of your voice then you’re wrong.” He raised an eyebrow, as if silently challenging her. “Your voice is perfect for the group, sure, but they also chose you ‘cause you all clicked. I was there when they auditioned those other bass singers; none of the boys liked them. They would want to be with someone they would want to hang out with and to call a friend. That’s why you’re here, because they want to share this experience with you.” She casually wrapped her arm around his waist and starting walking again, making him walk with her too. He hesitated but wrapped his arm around her shoulders. “As for the choreography thing, a little more one-on-one sessions and you’ll catch up with the guys. They’ve had more time to work with choreography than you, it’s no big deal. They weren’t born perfect, trust me, I would know.”

Lance stayed silent but he nodded and smiled a little. She may be rough around the edges but she spoke the truth when it needed to be heard, even if someone didn’t want to hear it. “Can I ask you a question?” he asked after a few minutes of silence.

“Go ahead,” she replied.

“Why do you hate JC?” Lance asked, his voice laced with curiosity. “I mean, far as I can see he hasn’t done anything to you. I couldn’t help but notice that you are quick to fight with him so…”

“I don’t hate JC,” she stated after a couple of minutes in thought. “Hate’s too strong of a word. We’re just…different.”

Lance couldn’t argue with that. They were different when it came to their behavior and their personalities, but when it came to work they were exactly the same. They strived to make something as perfect as possible and wouldn’t give up until it happened. They were the reason that some practices ran over and Lynn eventually had to come and drag them all back to the house.

“But why don’t you two get along?” Lance pressed. “You get along with everyone else just fine…why not him?” Mack looked towards the sky in thought. “I mean, Justin considers JC one of his best friends, right? As Justin’s other best friend I’d think that you two would try and get along for his sake.”

“I’d do anything for Justin,” Mack replied after a few minutes of thinking. “But I can’t lie to myself just to make him happy.” Lance gave her a look. She sighed and rolled her eyes. “But I’ll put forth an effort if that’s what you want.”

“For Justin, not for me,” Lance corrected, steering her up the driveway and to the house. She nodded in agreement before taking a look at the driveway. An extra car was sitting there, one that hadn’t been there when they left on their walk. “What’s Lou doing here?” Lance mumbled, asking the question that was on Mack’s mind.

“Probably checking in again,” she replied. The two walked back into the house to be greeted with the smell of spaghetti sauce and garlic bread. “Great, dinner’s ready. I’m starved.” She rushed to take off her shoes so she could get into the kitchen to start eating.

Justin practically ambushed them at the door. It was a *NSYNC family rule not to eat until everyone was sitting at the table. Since they left and after he finished setting the table he had been waiting by the door like a lion stalking its prey. He tried to play a little bit of basketball to forget about his hunger but no one would play against him and he hated being by himself.

It gave him time to think about JC and he was a little worried. JC was quiet, which was normal for him, but he was quieter than usual. He worked himself too hard during practices and voice lessons that he usually went to bed sore and hoarse. Everytime Justin talked to him about it; JC dismissed it with a shrug and said that he was fine. Justin went along with the answer but he knew it wasn’t true.

They all finally sat down for dinner and had Lou joining them this time. He had swung by often as it got closer to the showcase date, but this was the first time that he was with them for dinner and it made JC nervous. He was the one fueling their careers and he could easily take it away from them if Chris decides to curse his mouth off or Justin decides to act his age for once.

“I know it’s your day off,” Lou’s voice broke the silence that settled over the table. “But I would really like to see how far you boys have come.” The boys all looked at him before glancing over at Mack who was staring hard at Lou. She was like another Lynn, she was the one who told them whether or not they would be practicing and she gave them strict orders to not practice that day. JC held his breath, praying that she wouldn’t shoot a sharp comment at Lou. She had to understand that he was the one giving them the chance, right? She couldn’t say no to him, none of them could. “What’s wrong? Do you think you need more practice or something?” he asked, looking at them.

“It’s not that,” Mack finally spoke up, stabbing a tomato from her salad before looking up at him. “I told them not to practice today. They need to rest.”

“This close to the show?” Lou questioned as he raised an eyebrow. “It would be better for them to dance every chance they get so they can make sure they have enough stamina to make it through a show.”

“I understand that, but I would rather them not practice so they won’t end up hurting themselves before the showcase,” Mack said slowly. Her voice was tight as if she were holding in the urge to yell at him. JC sighed and continued eating, happy that she decided to hold her tongue.

“Just one song, what could it hurt?” He asked, staring hard at her. She wanted to tell him no, she really did, but something about the way he was looking at her made her afraid to answer. “It’s settled then. After dinner we can meet in the backyard and then I’ll take you guys for ice cream.”

“Ice cream?” Justin repeated, his blue eyes lighting up as a grin spread across his face. Everyone chuckled at his enthusiasm. He reacted as if he hadn’t had ice cream in his life. “We can go, right Mom?” He asked, turning to her.

“I don’t want you to stay out too late,” Lynn replied, looking pointedly at Justin and Mack. Justin sighed, knowing that she only wanted them back home in time for curfew. Lance, JC, Joey, and Chris didn’t have curfews; he couldn’t understand why those two still had them.

“I promise not to keep them out too long, Lynn,” Lou said with a smile. “If that’s settled, once you’re finished meet me outback so I can see where you guys are in terms of being ready.”

The boys nodded in agreement as Lou pushed himself away from the table. As soon as he was gone it was as if the tension lifted the boys started acting like themselves. Chris and Justin started arguing about if Chris cheated when they played basketball before, Lance was asking Joey about his previous job working at Universal, and JC was sitting there listening to both conversations, speaking up to comment from time to time.

Mack sat silently, glaring at the wall at the pushed her spaghetti across her plate. She hated Lou. She didn’t really like him in the first place, he was too…smiley and helpful. It was borderline creepy. Now he was talking to her like she didn’t know what she was doing. She’s been dancing since she could walk, she’s been training the boys and knew their limits, he didn’t. Who’s he to come and talk to her like she’s a little kid?

Justin looked at her out of the corner of her eye. Her jaw was clenched and she hadn’t touched her food. He knew that Lou was out of line talking to her that way, but he couldn’t do anything about it. It was Lou Pearlman, the only reason they have gotten this far. Even if he wanted to tell Lou to back off, he knew he couldn’t, but he hated seeing his best friend that upset, even if she tried to hide it.

“Hey Mack. Remember that time when we were seven and it was Halloween and we tried to have that monster movie marathon?” He asked as he lightly poked her in the side and smiled.

“Yeah,” was her only mumbled response. He knew that she wouldn’t forget that night, the two and Trace were too afraid to go to sleep and they freaked out at every sound they heard a small sound. He just wanted her to smile, laugh, something instead of sitting there. Usually when she heard that they’d start talking about all of the stupid things they did when they were little, it was like a tradition. She pushed back her chair and it made a loud sound against the floor, causing everyone to turn to her. “You guys better finish eating. You wouldn’t want Lou to wait.”

“She’s right,” JC spoke up, and blinked. Chris, Joey, Lance, and Justin all turned to JC, shocked looks on their faces. He had just openly agreed with something Mack had said. He even surprised himself but he quickly brushed it away. “Come on.”

The boys followed him out to the backyard. Lou was sitting on the patio, waiting patiently as the guys took their positions. Mack was standing by the back door, a boom box by her feet. She waited, giving them time to get ready and get the nerves out.

Lance stood in his position, taking slow deep breaths to calm his heart. It was pounding so hard against his chest he could hear it in his ears. ‘Relax, Lance, relax. You’ve done this plenty of times before. Just pretend that Lou isn’t there and you can get through this. Just relax.’  He nodded to Mack, who was waiting for his signal before pressing Play on the boom box that was by her feet and the beginning of We Can Work it Out poured out of it.

If Lou was impressed or not he didn’t show any emotion at all, he just kept his eyes glued on the moving boys as they slid, spun, kicked, and moved to the music. It was obvious that Justin and JC were the best dancers and they put more energy into the routine so they stood out the most, but as a group the boys were very good and deserved the attention they got.

Once the song finished the boys, who were panting slightly, looked up at Lou, waiting for his reaction. Lou slowly stood and held the boys’ gaze, as if enjoying their nervousness. A smile slowly broke onto his face as he applauded. The boys let out a collective sigh and let smiles appear on their face. “Wonderful. Simply wonderful. You boys have made great progress since you’ve started. The vocals are great the steps are a little weak, though.” He said the last part as he looked at Lance, who blushed and looked down at his feet.

“This is one of our harder dances,” Joey said as he nudged Lance and smiled at him. “We’ll get the steps down.”

“Oh, I don’t doubt it,” Lou replied, offering a smile to Lance as if apologizing without saying anything. The boys then turned to congratulate each other so Lou walked over to where Mack was kneeling by the boom box to take the CD out of it. She looked up when he stood over her, smiling that smile that irked her. “You’re doing a great job, even for someone so young. I knew it was a good idea to hire you.”

“Thank…you…” she mumbled slowly as she shot to her feet. “They’re the ones you should be praising though. They’re doing all the hard work; I just show them what to do.”

“Yes, but it takes a lot of patience and diligence to be able to work with them and live with them without having your job and your personal life cross,” he replied.

“What’re you talking about?” She questioned in confusion before bending down to pick up Little J who was licking her ankle.

“I wouldn’t want…anything personal to interfere with your obligation to the boys. Especially if one of them is the reason for the interference…”

A disgusted look crossed her features as she glanced out at the boys who had started a game of tag in the grassy area by the pool. It wasn’t that she was oblivious to their looks–they were all pretty good looking in their own way–it’s just that she didn’t see any of them as someone she’d date. Not even Justin, whom people said they would end up in a great relationship since they knew everything about each other. “Trust me, that’ll never happen.”

“Good.” The way he said ‘good’ didn’t sit right with her. Her stomach churned slightly as she kept her eyes on the boys, watching them have fun playing a childish game that they’ve stayed away from for years.  Her breath got caught in her throat when she felt his heavy hand on her left shoulder. “Tell the boys I’m ready to go, ok?” He gave her shoulder a little squeeze before letting it gently trail down her back before removing it, causing a shiver to roll down her spine. She swallowed the lump in her throat and clutched Little J tight, burying her face in his fur.

“Hey, are you ok?” She looked up when she saw Joey standing in front of her, looking at her curiously.

She nodded and swallowed again, making sure her voice came out strong when all she really wanted to do was run to her room and hide. “Lou says to get ready to go.”

“Oh, alright. Hey guys, come on! Lou’s ready to go!” Joey called; cupping his hands over his mouth to make sure the running boys heard him. “Are you sure you’re ok? You seem kinda…off?”

“I’m fine,” she lied. “Just a little tired,” she explained, running the necklace along the chain that was around her neck. She hadn’t taken it off since the guys gave it to her for her birthday. It was a metallic blue tied eighth note which held a double meaning–they got it because she loved dancing to music and she loved listening to music so it seemed fitting.

“Oh. If you want to stay here I’ll stay with you,” he offered. “We could watch a movie; I’ll even let you decide.”

“No. I’m fine. I want to go.”

“Ok, if you’re sure.”

 

~*~*~

 

“I’ll order for you if you want to sit down,” Justin offered as he and Mack walked into the Dairy Queen. She was moving a bit slower than usual. She’d normally be the first person to their destination because she naturally walks fast but this time she was the last one. Justin heard her saying something about being tired so he figured that was it. “Strawberry, right?”

“Thanks J,” she said as she forced a smile. He smiled in return before rushing to the counter with Chris, arguing over who got there first. She chuckled at the two, it was as if arguing became a sport for them but she knew it was Justin’s way of bonding with Chris so they could ignore the age gap.

She looked around the place before finding a booth that would fit them all and went towards it. At that time of night Dairy Queen was practically empty so she knew she wouldn’t have to wait long for her Blizzard. She briefly glance up when JC slid into the booth across from her but then continued staring at her hands that were lying on the table top, as if they were the most interesting thing in the world. Only the sound of JC clearing his throat for the fourth time grabbed her attention.

“You might want to get that checked out,” she commented as she lifted an eyebrow. “You wouldn’t want to mess up your perfect voice, now would you?”

“If we’re talking about getting help then you should enroll in a school to help you get a better attitude,” he replied calmly. It wasn’t one of his best jabs but he could tell that it struck a nerve.

“Ordinarily I’m all for beating your ass at one up’s but you’re up to something and I don’t want to beat around the bush,” she stated, staring hard at him, trying to read his mind. “What do you want from me?”

“Someone has a big head,” he commented.

“And for some reason it’s the girl in this conversation,” she replied with a smirk as his cheeks tinted a light shade of red. “Out with it, Chasez. What do you want to know?”

“What’s wrong?” His question was so blunt that it startled her, which wasn’t something she was used to. She was used to being one step ahead of others with a reply ready for obvious questions. His sudden curiosity laced with what seemed to her as genuine caring wiped out every sarcastic remark that forced its way into her head. “You’ve been quiet all day, which is unlike you. Usually we can’t get you to shut up, to put it nicely.” She just shrugged and stayed silent. “Is something going on at school?” he tried. She shrugged again. “Friends?” She shook her head. “What’s been bothering you the past couple of days? Don’t try to deny it, we can tell when something’s going on in your head.”

“Haven’t gotten much sleep, that’s all,” she replied. It wasn’t a total lie; she had been waking up a lot more frequently each night and would stay awake for hours listening to everyone else sleep peacefully. “My schedule’s a little tougher than I thought,” she admitted.

“We can cut it down if you’re running around too much,” he offered. “You do enough for us all ready.”

“Nah, I can handle it,” she replied with a wave of her hand.

“One strawberry milkshake, medium thickness,” Justin announced as he slid into the booth next to her. Eventually everyone else sat down with them which caused her to move and have to sit in between Justin and JC at the bend of the booth at the head of the table.

Silence fell over the table as they all dug into their deserts. Chris intentionally sucked at his milkshake with the straw halfway in so it made an annoying sucking sound. He watched everyone’s expressions carefully, waiting to see which one would crack first. He was guessing that it would either be Justin or Joey.

“Arrgh! Stop it! Stop it! You’re driving me nuts!” JC finally shouted. Chris simply lifted his mouth from the straw and wiped it with the back of his hand, grinning.

“You didn’t last long,” Chris commented calmly.

“Funny, that’s the same thing your last girlfriend said about you,” Justin shot back. Chris glared while the others burst out laughing. Lance, JC, and Mack had all turned red in the face by his comment, which amused the other three into teasing them and calling them ‘prudes’ and ‘goody two-shoes’. JC glanced at Lou out of the corner of his eye, holding his breath. He couldn’t believe Chris and Justin were acting like that in front of the man that was potentially fueling their careers. Lou didn’t seem to mind because a faint smile was on his lips, as if he expected something like that to happen. They were boys after all so it was only a matter of time before they cracked their ‘innocent little boy’ act.

“Are you not thirsty?” Lou asked, looking at Mack who was stirring her milkshake with her straw, her eyes glued on the windows across from them.

“Lost my appetite,” she replied, pushing the cup away from herself. She stared down at her hands again, keeping quiet as Chris and Joey fought over who got to take her milkshake.

“We should head back,” Lance suddenly spoke up, breaking up Chris’ and Joey’s argument. “We have to get those two back.” He nodded at Justin and Mack. Justin groaned and rolled his eyes but slid out of the booth once he got the chance.

“You ok?” He asked as he held his hand out to Mack. She took it and allowed him to help her out of her seat.

“Yup. Just tired,” she replied as she forced a smile. He seemed to buy her lie ‘cause he dropped the conversation. She felt a shiver roll down her spine and turned her head slightly so she could look out of the corner of her eye. She bit her lip and stepped closer to Justin when she noticed Lou staring at her as she and Justin walked towards JC’s jeep. She hated the way he looked at her.

 

~*~*~

 

“It wasn’t that funny,” JC muttered as he shook his head, his dark hair lightly hitting his face every time he turned his head. He had a smile on his face despite not seeing the memory amusing. Justin and Mack didn’t see it that way as they were doubled over laughing hysterically.

After they got back from their ice cream run the boys played video games while Mack watched, giving out instructions to the loser here and there. Chris claimed she was cheating, only ‘cause he was winning at the time, while she innocently explained that she was merely helping even the playing field. After a few board games they all went to their rooms to go to sleep. Justin was too wide awake from his sugar intake so he decided to bother JC and their commotion was what kept Mack awake so they all gathered in JC’s room talking about past MMC experiences.

“You’re right. That wasn’t as funny as Mack’s first day visiting,” Justin agreed.

“In my defense no one told me not to go through that door,” she said as she slapped his arm playfully.

“The cheering on the other side of the door should’ve been a clue that it was the stage,” JC commented dryly.

“Anyone can make that mistake,” Justin jumped in, trying to stop their impending argument before it got worse. He hated when his best friends fought, but it was something they did since Mack first spoke to him, which coincidentally was an insult.

He remembers the day perfectly. It was Mack’s first day visiting. She had a day off of school and Justin convinced her mother to let him go to the set with him so she could take a tour. She was practically bouncing out of her seat on the way there. If it were possible his MMC friends were more excited to meet her because Justin talked about her a lot.

“This is my dressing room. As you can see I share it with Ryan and T.J.,” twelve-year-old Justin said as he pointed at the sign that was outside the door. Justin opened the door and stuck his head in and looked around. “Ok, come on.” He held out his hand to Mack and pulled her into the room. “Guys, I want you to meet my best friend Mack Desrosiers. Mack, this is Ryan Gosling and T.J. Fantini.”

“Hi,” Mack greeted them with a small wave.

“Oh, we get to finally meet you,” T.J. spoke up with a warm smile. “Justin doesn’t stop talking about you,” he added, nudging her now red-faced friend. “But it’s all good stuff,” he added. “He said that you dance, right?” Mack nodded. “From what he said you’re amazing. Why didn’t you try out for the show?”

“My mom didn’t think it was a good idea,” she replied while shuffling her feet.

“Hey Justin, is she your girlfriend?” Ryan suddenly spoke up. Justin’s face turned redder while Mack blushed.

“No, she’s my best friend,” he mumbled.

“So why’re you holding her hand?” Ryan pressed. He quickly dropped her hand. “So…if you’re not dating her, can I?” he asked as he looked back and forth between her and Justin.

“I’m still standing here, idiot,” she said with an eye roll.

“So, will you?” He questioned.

She merely glared at him and he backed up a couple of steps as if he was getting burnt by her stare as Justin and T.J. laughed. “Can we go see Britney and Christina now?”

“Yeah, let’s go,” Justin replied.

“I want to come too,” T.J. said as he followed Justin. The two boys stopped by the door and turned to see if Ryan was going to come. His eyes shifted over to Mack, as if he were afraid of her reaction. She sighed and nodded, smiling to herself as he eagerly got up and followed them.

“Christina and Britney share a dressing room with Nikki, another new girl on the show, but she’s older than us,” Justin explained as they walked down the hall. “Everyone decent?” He called from outside the door.

“Yeah, J. Come in!” A female voice called back.

“Guys, this is Mack. Mack, that’s Christina and Britney,” Ryan spoke up before Justin could say anything. “She’s my future girlfriend.”

“How’d you like a future broken foot?” She growled and he backed away as the girls started laughing.

“It’s great to finally meet you. I’m Britney,” the girl with the southern accent said as he held out her hand to shake Mack’s. “That’s Christina,” she added, pointing at the blond haired girl who got off of her chair and walked over to them. “How old are you?”

“Twelve,” Mack replied.

“Me too,” Britney said with a smile. “Christina’s thirteen.”

“Have you seen any other part of the studio yet?” Christina asked.

“Not yet,” Mack replied.

“I was just about to show her if you guys want to come to. We can get lunch before we have to start taping,” Justin offered. The girls agreed and followed the boys out of the dressing room. Mack was rushing ahead to look at the pictures and posters that were on random walls. She turned a corner and crashed into something, causing her to fall to the ground.

“Watch where you’re going!” She yelled as she got back to her feet. She ignored the hand that was held out to her as she checked herself for injuries.

“You were the one that ran into me,” the boy replied with a slight frown. He glanced up and looked at the group as they came rushing over. “Is she a new cast member or something? It’s kinda late to add her, don’t you think?” He looked down at her. “Not that I’m complaining, it’s great to have another kid on set,” he added with a smile.

“No, she’s just visiting for the day,” Justin spoke up. “This is Mack.”

“Oh you’re the girl he keeps talking about,” the guy said, the smile never leaving his face.

“Looks like it,” Mack muttered.

“I’m JC,” he introduced himself.

“Does that stand for janitor’s closet? It’d be pretty fitting seeing as your hair resembles a mop,” she stated. Ryan bit his lip to keep from laughing as T.J. elbowed him, signaling that he was trying hard not to laugh either.

Justin’s, Christina’s, and Britney’s eyes widened as JC raised his eyebrows. JC then chuckled and walked off, calling over his shoulder that he’d see them later. No one had ever spoken to JC like that before, mainly because no one had a reason to. He was one of the nicest guys on set and the younger ones looked up to him.

“Let’s get something to eat before you insult a director too,” Justin sighed as he directed her down the hall.

“Take that back or I’ll break your arm!”

Justin groaned and dropped his head on his arms. He waited for JC to shoot back another witty comment but his next sentence surprised them both.

“No you won’t,” JC said calmly although his eyes were showing annoyance. “You always give out threats but you don’t ever follow through with them. If that were the case almost all of my known body parts would be broken in the span of two years. You’re a coward. You say you’re tough and you fire off insults and threats to keep people away from you when really you won’t carry any of those threats out because you don’t want anyone to know that you’re a scared little girl looking for attention.”

Mack sucked in her breath, her eyes showing pure anger as her hands clenched into fists. Justin moved, as if getting ready to hold her back from attacking JC. JC merely held her gaze, waiting for her to do something. She just turned on her heel and stomped out of the room, slamming the door shut behind her as hard as she could. She was going to feel Lynn’s wrath any minute, it was a rule not to slam doors in the house, no matter how angry you were at someone.

“Why is she like that?” JC asked Justin, his eyes squinted as if something bright was standing in front of him. “Why is she always so mean and quick to jump at anyone that insults her?”

Justin sighed. “That’s just her. She’s been like that since I can remember. Sometimes it comes in handy but other times…it’s hard for her to trust people. Please, just keep trying to get through her wall. It took me a bit, but it was worth it. She’s one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met. Please give her another chance. Please? For me? For your best friend?”

“Ok, fine,” JC said with a sigh, hating the pleading look on Justin’s face. “Although I don’t deserve her verbal abuse, I’ll give her another chance.”

“Thanks, you’re the best.”

“I know.” JC gave him a cocky smile. “Now get out so I can sleep.”

 

~*~*~

 

Mack sat up and sighed heavily. She didn’t have to look at her clock to know that it was early. She tried to go to sleep but she felt Lou’s hand on her shoulder every time she closed her eyes and it scared her awake. She wanted to tell someone, anyone, about it but she didn’t want them to worry about nothing. Also she didn’t want anyone to think she was trying to get attention, to quote JC. There were times she felt left out because of the boys’ drive for success, but knowing that she was helping them get there covered the jealousy for a bit.

She shoved back her covers and went to Justin’s room. He was fast asleep but was sleeping on one side of the bed, leaving the other open in case she came in the middle of the night. She slid in next to him and pulled the covers up to her neck. She listened to Justin’s slow breathing, which eventually lulled her to sleep, feeling protected.

 

End Notes:
Please read and review!!
Pleasure Island by Mack_Attack22
Chapter 8: Pleasure Island

If Chris hadn’t been jumping around the house that October morning the guys wouldn’t have remembered that it was finally the day of their Pleasure Island showcase. They’ve been so hard at work they actually forgot when the date was, until Chris woke them up by jumping on them at least. The best part was that they got to go to Disney World and spend the few hours before sound check doing whatever they wanted at the park.

“Whoa, what’s with the sour face, Curly?” Chris asked with a grin as Justin trudged into the kitchen. Justin merely glared at Chris and raised his middle finger at him. Ordinarily he wouldn’t have gotten away with it, but Lynn was out getting groceries so he knew he wouldn’t get in trouble. “Awww, wittle Justy’s cranky.”

“Knock it off, Chris. You know how he is in the morning,” Mack said as she put a box of cereal and milk in front of Justin before continuing eating her eggs and toast.

“Stop babying him all ready,” Chris said with an eye roll. “His mother does that enough all ready, you don’t have to do it too.”

“I don’t baby him,” she denied. “But it’s unfair. It’s all of you older people against us young ones.”

“Life aint fair, girl,” Chris said somewhat bitterly as he smacked the cereal in his bowl with the back of his spoon. He could feel Justin and Mack starting at him but he ignored the two as he pushed back his chair and got up from the table.

He didn’t mean to snap at them, but he meant what he said. Life wasn’t fair, life was…life and you had to deal with it. That’s what he had to do. He remembered skipping lunch most days of high school because he didn’t want others to know that he was part of the free lunch program. He didn’t have to live off welfare anymore, but it was still a part of him and it still got to him sometimes. He found himself back in his room, his phone up to his ear as he waited for someone on the other end to pick up.

“Hello?” A girl’s voice spoke up.

“Hey Em,” Chris greeted his sister with a smile. Chris, at twenty four, was the oldest and only male in the family. He has four sisters, Molly (21), Kate (19), Emily (13), and Taylor (2). A lot of people thought that he would hate having sisters around all of the time when he was the only guy but he enjoyed every minute of it. “How are you?”

“I’m great. Molly took us to the park yesterday. I can finally do a double cross while jump roping!” Emily replied happily. Chris smiled to himself; he could practically see the smile on her face as he said that.

“That’s great, Em. Can you put Mom on the phone, please?”

“Ok. I love you, Chrisy.”

“I love you too.” Chris waited patiently for his sister to give the phone to his mother. Once he was sure she was on the line he started talking about how things have been going for them, how it was harder than he thought, and how he was excited for their show that night. “You guys can come, right?”

“Of course. We wouldn’t miss it for the world,” Beverly Kirkpatrick replied. “The girls are excited to see their super star brother onstage.”

“They don’t call me that, do they?”

“Yes they do. They brag to their friends about it, you should hear them.”

“I’m no super star, Mom.”

“To me you are, and that’s all that matters.”

The warm and fuzzy feeling that always washed over him whenever his mother talked to him returned and a cheesy grin came to his face. He leaned back against his bed, talking to her for a few minutes before hanging up and joining everyone in the kitchen. JC was in the kitchen wide awake, which was shocking to Chris. Usually they’d have to get him up at the last minute and had a blast watching him running around trying to get ready for the day. He and everyone else were looking at a map of Disney World deciding which section to go to first and what order to go on the rides.

“We can’t go to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and the Animal Kingdom if we need to get to sound check in time,” JC was saying as Chris took a seat at the table.

“Aww. Why not?” Justin whined. “I want to go on Space Mountain.”

“It’s not possible, J,” JC said as he shook his head. “We have to stay in Downtown Disney the entire time.”

“But what if we–” Justin started.

“It’s not possible,” JC repeated.

“But what if–”

“No.”

“Why don’t we–”

“Either way you spin it, it won’t be possible,” JC said with a sigh as Justin pouted and slumped in his seat. “J, Downtown Disney has a lot of cool stuff we could do, too.”

“But it doesn’t have Space Mountain.”

“We could at least try,” Lance spoke up. “The show isn’t until…seven or so. Our sound check is at five and it’s…” he paused to look at the clock on the wall. “Nine now. Mrs. Harless should be back in about fifteen minutes and it takes about that long to get there. We could go to a few of those places, head to Downtown Disney at about…four to eat and then get ready for the sound check and stuff.”

They all gaped at him as he sat patiently, waiting for his opinion. How Lance knew that much about their day amazed Chris. He didn’t even know what time their sound check or their show was, yet Lance was able to figure out how long they could take at each place and get to where they needed to be on time.

“If it works out, then I guess we can,” JC said with a shrug. “Anyway, there’s something I want to talk to you guys about,” he said as he placed the plate he was holding on the counter behind him. “I was talking to some friends about the Pleasure Island showcase and I invited someone to spend the day with us. Only if it’s all right with you guys, I wouldn’t want to make you feel weird,” he said as he bit his lip and looked at everyone.

“It’s fine with me,” Joey replied with a shrug. “The more the merrier. Who’s the person anyway?”

“Umm…Nikki DeLoach,” JC mumbled as his face turned red.

“Nikki DeLoach?” Mack and Justin repeated in unison, their mouths falling open while Chris, Joey, and Lance looked at each other in confusion.

“Nikki DeLoach? Peaches? That Nikki DeLoach?” Justin asked as he blinked rapidly, trying to understand what JC said.

“That’s the one,” JC said with a nod. “It’s ok, right? She’ll understand if you wouldn’t want her to come. I mean, I figured it wouldn’t make a difference since Mack would be there and all,” he rambled.

“It’s fine. Just…why her?”

“She’s been my girlfriend for the past three years so…”

“Girlfriend!?” Justin and Mack shouted.

“Which part of this are you two having trouble understanding?” JC questioned, raising an eyebrow. “Yes, Nikki DeLoach, my girlfriend of three years. If you don’t want her there then I could tell her, it’s really no big deal.”

“Ok, you can–” Justin started but stopped when Mack elbowed him hard in the side.

“You can call her and tell her that it’s all right with us,” she interrupted him. Justin glared at her but she ignored it as she went back to eating her breakfast. JC quickly left the room to go call her as Chris, Joey, and Lance talked about which ride they wanted to go on first.

“Hey, could I get a hand with this?” Lynn asked as she came into the kitchen, her arms filled with bags of groceries. Justin and Mack raced over and took some out of her arms and laid it on the kitchen table. “Thanks. Did you eat breakfast?” She asked as she looked around the kitchen. “We leave in about twenty minutes if you still want to go to the Park for the day,” she added as she started to unpack the groceries.

“Lynn, let us do this. You sit down and rest,” Mack said with a smile as she placed her hand on the woman’s.

“That’s mighty kind of you, dear, and thanks,” Lynn said as she kissed Mack’s forehead and Justin’s forehead before going into the living room to sit down.

“Ow!” Mack cried out when Justin slapped her arm. “What the heck did you do that for?”

“Well, I can’t punch you and I really want to do that right now,” he replied as he stacked cans of food on the counter. He stayed silent for a few more seconds before slamming a box of Cheerios down on the counter. “Why’d you do that?” he demanded.

“Do what?” She questioned, opening a cabinet to put up some boxes.

“Tell JC that he could bring Nikki,” Justin replied. “You shouldn’t have done that.”

“I shouldn’t have been nice to him? Gee, I thought that’s what you wanted.”

Justin ignored her. “Now he’s going to want to spend the entire day with her when he should be with us. You ruined this for me, ya know.” He threw the rest of the boxes onto the counter and stomped out of the kitchen.

“What? What did I do?” She shouted after him. “Justin!” She let out an angry sigh and attacked the paper bag that was in her hands. Justin was being a big baby for no reason at all. He frustrated her so much sometimes that she wanted to pull every single curly hair out of his head sometimes.

The other boys knew something was wrong between the two friends. For the rest of the time spent at the house they would be on opposite sides of the room, not making any eye contact and pouting as if their lives depended on it. When they finally left they made sure to get into two different cars, Justin with his mother, Chris, and Joey while Mack went with Lance and JC. As soon as they set foot in the park their spirits lifted a little bit, until they found out that they needed to stay with Lynn because they were the youngest.

“This is so not fair,” Justin grumbled as he watched Joey race Chris towards an attraction while JC and Lance took their time. The two followed behind Lynn as they made their way through the park. Even at nine-thirty in the morning it was pretty crowded and filled with a bunch of little screaming kids wanting to go on this ride or that ride.

“C’est la vie,” Mack muttered, more out of habit than an actual response. Justin, out of habit, turned to her and raised an eyebrow. “That’s life,” she replied. “Gosh, I really gotta get you guys an English-to-French Dictionary.”

“Or maybe you gotta start speaking English like the rest of us.”

“Which version: the normal-human-being version or the chicks-basketball-video games version?”

Justin’s lip twitched as he tried to think of a comeback. Up ahead, Lynn was smiling to herself at their antics. She knew that their fight wouldn’t last long. Over the course of the day she made the two go on rides together when it was obvious that they would rather spend the time arguing with each other. After a few hours of going on rides (and bickering) the two kids grew hungry and they went in search for a place to find something to eat. Lynn ate silently, waiting to see which one would crack first from the other’s silent treatment.

The two looked up when they heard a little girl’s scream. She ran over to Goofy who was waving to a bunch of kids and almost tackled him as she tried to hug her. A few feet behind him some little boys were talking excitedly to Jafar. A smile tugged at the corner of Mack’s lips. She turned and locked eyes with Justin to see that he was fighting a smile as well.

“Remember when we came here with Ryan–” He started.

“–and we went around attacking all of the Disney characters,” she finished, chuckling. “Wasn’t the brightest idea on your part. I could get away with it, of course.”

“Until my mom told your mom–”

“–and we got grounded from the park for a week!” The two shouted at the same time before dissolving into hysterical laughter as Lynn smiled slyly behind the sandwich she was holding. She glanced at her watch and said something about having to call Charlotte before walking a few paces away.

“I didn’t know your Mom was coming,” Justin said as he picked the lettuce off of his sandwich.

“I didn’t either,” Mack admitted. “She said she was busy with work. I guess she finally wanted to see the hard work we put in the last couple of weeks.” She shrugged and took a bite of her sandwich, studying him. “So why are you so mad at me?” She finally asked once she swallowed.
“I’m not mad,” he denied with a shrug.

“You wanted to punch me this morning,” she reminded him. “You don’t ever say stuff like that unless I really pissed you off.”

Justin stayed silent a few more seconds before finally looking up at her. “You shouldn’t have invited Nikki.”

“I figured that had something to do with it. I thought you liked Nikki.”

“I do…it’s just…I wanted this to be the six of us, that’s all.”

Mack chuckled. “Woody, we’re together all the time. We live in a dang house together, how much more time can we spend together?”

“We don’t ever spend time together when we have days off,” he corrected. “The rare moments you have a day off of school when we’re off we don’t ever do anything together. Chris, JC, and Joey always go to some club and you, Lance, and are stuck at home.”

“You don’t want them to have their own lives?” Now she was really confused. Justin was never this clingy to people.

“No!” he sighed in frustration. “JC’s my friend,” he finally declared.

“Ohhhh.” Mack put down her sandwich. “J, I’m only saying this ‘cause I love you.” He nodded. “You’re a complete idiot.”

Justin blinked. “Huh?”

“J, how do you think I feel when I’m at school while you get to hang out with them all day long?” She questioned, never breaking eye contact with him. “Sure, I have Heather to talk to and she’s awesome, but she’s not you.” She paused and took a deep breath. “Sometimes I feel like they’re taking you away from me, but I don’t say anything about it. You want to know why?” he nodded. “Because I know that, even though you’re my best friend, you have to have your own life and other friends besides me. It still bothers me when you want to do ‘guy stuff’ with them and leave me out but I learn to deal with it. JC wants to do some things that you can’t do, like go to a club, but that doesn’t mean that he still doesn’t want to be your friend. He has his own life too.”

“When did you become so smart?” Lynn asked as she gently ruffled Mack’s hair.

“Since I’ve been stuck with Trace and Justin for my whole life,” she replied. Justin picked up a fry and threw it at her, a smile on his face. Lynn laughed before telling them that they had only an hour left to go on rides or check out shops before sound check.

“An hour? That’s it?” Justin whined.

“If you didn’t spend most of the day sulking…” Lynn’s voice trailed off.

“What can we do that kills an hour? We still have to get to Downtown Disney,” Mack mused.
“I have an idea!” Justin practically shouted with a grin. “But I know I’m going to need your permission,” he added sheepishly as he smiled at Lynn. “I promise that no one would get hurt, physically or emotionally. Neither will anyone’s feelings. It’ll be a harmless prank.”

“Harmless and prank coming out of your mouth doesn’t really convince me,” Lynn said dryly with a knowing smile.

“Oh, come on Momma. I just gave you my word. What else do you want?” Justin asked as he glanced at the nearby clock, his fingers twitching.

“Just a kiss,” she replied as Mack laughed when his face turned red. He grumbled but kissed her cheek anyway. “Meet me at the stage in an hour!” She shouted over the noise as Justin and Mack ran away as fast as they could.

~*~*~

Joey bit his lip to keep from laughing out loud but the annoyed look on JC’s face was worth laughing at. JC’s cheeks were practically puffed out because of how much air he sucked in to keep from yelling at whoever it was that kept throwing peanuts at the back of his head. Nikki kept telling him to ignore it, laughing all the while.

Lance and Chris were hiding their smiles, all ready knowing who the culprit was, or in this case, who the culprits were.

“Chill, JC, they’re just kids. Let them have fun,” Chris told him as soon as Nikki left the table to go to the bathroom.”

“I’m going to have fun shoving my foot up their butts,” he muttered.

“Relax. They just want attention,” Lance said as he spun his straw in his soda. “Think about it, being fourteen and having to stay with a chaperone? At Disney World of all places?”

“Why am I the target?” JC questioned with a raised eyebrow.

“Like I said, they want you attention. Well, Justin mainly.” Lance pushed away his soda and looked up, noticing the confused look on JC’s face. “Remember how you told me that Justin and Ryan used to follow you around on your MMC set?” JC nodded. “It’s ‘cause they look up to you. He still does. He still likes having your attention. He’ll grow out of it soon.”

“I don’t see why they worship you of all people,” Chris commented.

“As oppose to…I don’t know…you?” JC asked.

“Exactly! I mean, I’ve been around the longest. I know how to get out of trouble. I have experience–”

“Crashing cars, running red lights, turning onto an interstate at the last minute at 60 mph, shoving little kids to get to a front of a line, yelling back at movie screens,” Joey listed as he counted off his fingers. “Need I go on?”

“You need to shut up,” Chris shot back.

“What we really need to do is get to sound check,” JC interrupted before the two started arguing. “Hey, sweetie, we have to get going. I’ll see you after the show, ok?” JC said as soon as Nikki got back to the table.

“All right. Break a leg,” she said giving him a hug and a kiss.

“What was that for?” He asked with a smile.

“For good luck.”

“Can I have more luck?” he asked with a cheesy grin.

“No time, Romeo!” Chris shouted as he grabbed the collar to JC’s shirt and dragged him with Lance and Joey. The boys walked through Downtown Disney to get to Pleasure Island. They reached the building where they would perform later that night and followed the hallways until they got to the large room. Justin was all ready on stage dancing around and singing in time with the music as Mack sat in a chair and watched closely, commenting from time to time.

“You’re a little too fast on that part. Slow it down a bit and you’ll be in time with the song,” she told him and he nodded.

He wiped sweat off of his forehead and waved at the guys. “It’s about time you got here. You older guys are so slow!” His grin faded when JC lifted an eyebrow. A split second later Justin was running around the stage trying to get away from JC who was chasing after him.

“How long did it take?” Mack whispered to Chris, nodding towards the running boys.

“Three minutes,” Chris replied. “JC usually has more patience than that, but it was worth it. He ended up looking like a puffer fish.”

“It makes my job as the honorary little sister worth it,” she said as she leaned back in her chair and held out her hand for him to slap it. “Now get your ass on that stage. You gotta practice.”

“Me!?” He cried out as if he had been personally offended. She nodded. “Me? I’m, like, the best one out of these losers,” he said as he jerked his thumb in JC’s direction. He and Joey had managed to hold Justin down on stage as JC dangled a loogie in front of Justin’s face as he tried to get away.

“And yet you still stop in the middle to laugh at Lance trying to do a body roll,” she replied while squinting at him.

“’Trying’ is the key word there, Canada,” Chris said as he flicked her nose. “You try having to dance near him and keep a straight face.”

“I have to use every ounce of self control I have to stop myself from laughing whenever I see you,” Mack said with an eye roll. “Now go.” She placed a foot on his butt and kicked him forward when he didn’t move. He grumbled under his breath as he rounded up the other guys.
“Joshua, suck in that loogie!” Chris ordered.

JC looked up and did as he was told. Justin made a face as he shoved JC away from himself, scrambling to his feet as JC and Joey high fived. Justin grumbled something under his breath as he brushed himself off.

“Ok guys. Start with Dreaming,” Mack called as she signaled for the sound guy to start the track. They took their places on stage and waited for the track to kick in. Once it started they moved around effortlessly, as if they were dancing in their sleep. There were only a few noticeable flaws here and there, mainly where Lance would miss a step, other than that they were spot on.
The smile on JC’s face after sound check was so big they were surprised that it fit. He couldn’t help but smile at how much they’ve improved in only a few short months. They hardly had to stop and catch their breaths anymore.

“We still have about an hour and a half,” Lance commented.

“We should get home and shower,” JC said as he wiped sweat off his forehead.

“Yeah,” Justin agreed as he pulled his damp shirt from himself. “You need one too,” he added as he nodded at Mack.

“Me? Why? I’m not the one drenched in sweat,” she commented. Before she could move Justin jumped off of the stage and pulled her to his chest, hugging her hard and successfully getting sweat on her. “Eewwwwww! Get off, you freak!” She shouted as she tried to get away from him.
“Why? I’m just showin’ some compassion here. You are my best friend after all.”

“Don’t try and take the innocent route, Timberlake. Let go!” She finally managed to pry his hands away from her and backed away from him. “Great,” she muttered. “I’ll meet you guys back here. I’m going home to shower.”

“Uh…we kinda live in the same house, dumbnut,” Chris pointed out.

“I meant my house, Old Timer,” she shot back with a smirk as he glared. “I just gotta tell Lynn I’m going.”

“How’re you going to get there?”

“By car, stupid.”

“Hey, there’s no need for name calling, young lady,” Chris said in a fatherly-like tone.

“Seriously though, if Lynn and JC drove here, how are you going to get back?”

“I could take you back,” JC offered. “I have to drop of Nikki anyway.”

Mack raised an eyebrow. “She’s not staying?”

“No. She has stuff to do.” She studied his face as he said that. His tone was nonchalant but his eyes were telling a different story. She decided not to call him out on it, it wasn’t her business anyway.

“All right.” She turned towards Justin and pointed a warning finger. “No sugar. The both of you,” she added looking at Chris who was snickering but stopped when he noticed that she was looking at him. He stuck out his tongue and she returned the gesture.

“All right kids, knock it off.”

~*~*~
“JOSH!”

JC jerked his head up to see Heather standing in the doorway. She had her arms crossed over her chest and had an eyebrow risen. He pulled the headphones off of his ears.

“What?” he questioned.

“Shouldn’t you be leaving? You wouldn’t want to be late,” Heather said as she looked at the clock on the wall. JC jerked his head in the direction of the clock and his mouth fell open. “Same ol’ JC, always the last one there,” she muttered as he jumped off of his bed and rushed around to find his shoes.

“Same ol’ Heather, still not being helpful,” JC shot back playfully as he pulled his shoes onto his feet and tied them as quickly as possible. “Are you ready to go”–he looked up and stared at what his sister was wearing–“back into your room and change clothes?”

Heather looked down at the clothes she was wearing: a red tank top and black capris. He would’ve been fine with it if the shirt was a little bit longer and covered the exposed sliver of her stomach. She shrugged. “There’s nothing wrong with what I’m wearing and you don’t want to make yourself later than you actually are.”

“Ok, but if you wear a jacket,” he replied, staring hard.

“It’s eighty-seven degrees outside.”

“Heather…”

“You’re going to be late, Joshua.”

JC grumbled under his breath but shoved Heather out of the door and down the hall anyway. Tyler, who was on the living room floor drawing on a piece of paper, looked up when the two came into the living room. “Shouldn’t you have left all ready?” He questioned.

“Yeah yeah. Mom, we’re leaving,” JC called as he grabbed his car keys off of the table.

“Where’s Nikki? I thought she was going too,” Tyler spoke up.

“She’s busy.”

‘That’s weird. Usually she’s glued to your side,” Tyler commented. “I mean, you’d have to use a crowbar to separate you two.”

“I get it!” JC glared at Tyler who smiled innocently as Karen came into the living room. “I’m going to be late. After the show they’re going to keep a club open as an after party thing. We might go to that. If not I’ll call you.”

“Keep an eye on Heather,” Karen said as she hugged him. “Don’t let her out of your sight.”

“Moooom!” Heather whined. “I can take care of myself. I don’t need Josh watching me.” Karen gave her a stern look and she sighed. “Can I give you an ultimatum?”

“Can you give it in the car?” JC asked as he glanced back and forth at his sister and the clock on the wall. Desperation clung to his voice. He knew he’d get his head chewed off if he waited any longer to leave.

“I stick by Mack the entire time,” Heather continued, ignoring him. “That way I’m with someone I know and Josh wouldn’t have to worry about where I am and who I’m with.” Karen clicked her tongue as she thought it over. She nodded and Heather hugged her hard. “Thanks mom! You’re the best!”

“Once the show starts come find me.”

“Ok. I–“She was interrupted by JC’s jeep horn and him shouting for her to get in the car. “I liked it better when he was quiet,” she grumbled as Karen chuckled.

~*~*~

“Moooom! Come on!” Mack shouted from the bottom of the stairs. She spun the hat that was in her hands as she sighed heavily for the sixth time in five minutes. She hated having to wait for her mother to take her places; she always took forever to get ready. “Mom!”

“Hold on, sweetie. I still have to put on makeup,” Charlotte shouted down the stairs.

“Ugh! I was supposed to be there ten minutes ago!” Mack groaned. “Justin’s going to be mad.”
“Sweetie, I’m sure your boyfriend will understand.”

“Boyfriend!?” Mack laughed as Charlotte came down the stairs putting earrings in her ear. “Justin? My boyfriend? There is no way in this life that that would ever happen, Mom.”

“Why? You two are around each other all the time,” Charlotte said as she put her hands on her hips.

“Yeah, ‘cause we’re friends,” she replied putting as much emphasis on the word friends as she could. “That’s it. He’s more like a brother anyway.”

“Ok, so what about JC?” She asked as she gently pushed Mack out the door.

“Ugh. Mom, I don’t like any of ‘em. They’re too…weird for my taste,” she replied lamely as she got into the passenger side of the car. She put her headphones over her ears, ready to cancel out anything Charlotte was going to say to her. She paused with her finger over the play button as she took in what Charlotte had just said. “What?” She questioned.

“I said Paul is going to come,” she responded as she backed out of the driveway.

“You dressed up because of him?” Mack questioned, raising an eyebrow as Charlotte chuckled. She knew her question was weird. Charlotte ‘dressed up’ every time she left the house. Still, something about her attitude struck a nerve.

“No, honey. It would’ve been for your father”–Mack tried not to gag–“if he didn’t have to work late tonight.”

“What’s up with you and Dad?” Mack questioned, lowering her headphones. Charlotte gave her a confused look. “You and Dad are working late all of a sudden. It’s not like you two. You even missed my birthday.”

“Honey, you know that we wouldn’t miss it unless we had a good reason,” Charlotte said as she reached out to stroke her daughter’s head but Mack moved out of the way. “And we made up for it the next day.”

“Yeah, I remember,” she sighed. They had made up for it by taking her to one of her favorite restaurants, but the night ended up slightly ruined when her Dad had to leave the table three times to take a call. Then, when they got home, he accidentally dropped the cake. While it was funny at the time she couldn’t help but notice that he was off that night.

~*~*~

Justin took one look around the backstage area as he kept his hands glued to his microphone. Chris, for once, was silent as he leaned against the wall. The shade of green his face was taking spoke volumes about how sick he felt. Lance was calmly sitting in a chair taking random sips of the drink that Lynn and Diane had provided for them. Joey was talking to some random stagehand girl and JC was sitting in a chair, eyes closed, and his lips moving as he sang the songs in his head.

“C’mon, where are you?” Justin whispered to himself as he glanced at the clock on the wall. He let out another frustrated sigh before taking a bottle of water off of the table and chugging it.
“Are you boys ready?” Lynn asked as she came into the room, a big smile that only a parent could get was on her face.

“No. Mack’s not here yet,” Justin replied. As if on cue she burst through the door, panting heavily. “About time,” Justin commented.

“Yeah yeah, we got stuck in traffic,” she said with a dismissive wave of her hand. “There are a lot of people out there.”

“Thanks for that,” Chris groaned, holding his stomach.

“How many?” Lance spoke up.

“A few hundred, give or take,” she replied. “Most of them are girls, which doesn’t surprise me. I guess Lynn’s flyer idea worked.” She suddenly clapped her hands, causing all of them to jump. “You guys ready to do this?”

“I’m ready to hurl,” Chris replied.

“You guys are so ready for this, and I wouldn’t say that if it weren’t true. You’ve worked really hard and you’ll do amazing, trust me.” She opened her arms and Justin pulled her into a tight hug. She blinked but laughed when Joey came over and hugged the two. Soon they were all in a group hug, laughing with each other, their nerves floating away.

“All right guys.” Justin let out a breath. “Let’s do this.”

~*~*~

“I still can’t believe they were that good. I mean I knew they always were…but wow. They were so great. Their timing was perfect and their styles complimented another so well. I…I just can’t believe it,” Heather rambled as she and Mack walked with the large crowd towards the open club that served as the Pleasure Island Showcase After Party, or PISAP as it was called. Heather wanted to get away as soon as possible after the celebratory hugs were given out so she could see if some guys from their class showed up like they said they would. Of course, she didn’t want JC to know this so she claimed that she was going to try and find a good table for them.

“Heather, shut up all ready!” Mack cried out although a smile was on her face.

“You should be congratulated too. You’re the one who came up with the dance moves,” Heather continued.

“Nah, it’s their night.” She shrugged then her eyes practically popped out of her head when she took in her surroundings of the club. Strobe lights were flashing; a disco ball hanging from the ceiling caused tiny colored squares to circle around the room, the electric pulses of bass music bounced around them and moving bodies were on the dance floor all ready. Being underage, she, Justin, and Lance constantly wondered what it was like inside and it was better than she ever imagined.

“Come on, let’s find a table!” Heather had to shout over the music to be heard. Before they could move they faintly heard someone yelling “Mini” before it got louder and they found the source of the yelling.

“Tony!” Mack gasped. Her heart started working in overtime and she was grateful for the dark club hiding her red cheeks. “You came,” was all she could muster.

“I said I would,” he replied with a smile. “Heather, right?” He asked as he looked at her and she nodded. “Nice to see you again.”

“You too. How’ve you been? How’s LA?” Heather asked calmly, which made Mack envy her.
“Great. I’m still looking around for a company to sign me but I take odd singing jobs here and there,” he said with a shrug. “So, Mini, want to dance?” He asked, using the MMC Cast’s nickname for Mack.

She silently raised her eyebrows as she looked at Heather who quickly said, “Go ahead. I’ll find a table and flag the guys down once they get here.” She watched as they disappeared in the moving crowd before turning to find a place to sit that hadn’t all ready been taken.

Once she found a place to sit she looked through the crowd and finally found her friend dancing. Heather marveled at how she made dancing look like a walk through the park. Heather didn’t like to dance because she felt weird about it.

Heather kept her eyes glued on the couple as they danced through song after song, the smile never leaving Mack’s face. Once a slow song came on Tony leaned close to her ear and said something before the two pushed their way through the crowd.

“It’s about time we got there,” Joey’s voice caused her to jump. “There are so many hot chicks around; I don’t know where to start.”

“Try a cold shower,” JC suggested as he punched Joey on the arm and the others started laughing.

“What took you guys so long to get here?” Heather asked as she moved over to give them room at the table.

“Lynn wouldn’t let us go,” Lance replied. “She hugged each of us for a good ten minutes.”
“I think I cracked a rib,” Chris added. “Your mom is stronger than she looks,” he added as he nudged Justin.

Justin smiled faintly before looking around. “Hey, where’s Mack?”

“Yeah. I thought you told Mom that you’d be with her the entire time,” JC added, flagging down a waiter to take their drink order.

“Well, I figured it’d be fine if she were with Tony so–” Heather started.

“Tony!?” JC repeated, interrupting her. “She’s with him?”

“What’s wrong with that? Tone’s a great guy,” Justin said with a shrug. “Why’re you so worried?”

“Why aren’t you? You two are joined at the hip.”

“Maybe so, but that doesn’t mean I go crazy when she’s out of my sight for more than five minutes,” Justin said as he stared pointedly at JC, who flushed. “She can take care of herself.”

“Not if he’s been drinking.”

“He’s underage.”

“So’s Joe but that doesn’t stop him whenever he gets the chance,” JC pointed out.

Justin frowned. JC was right, but he didn’t want to admit it. Joey managed to drink even though he was underage. Probably because he looked older than he was. When Joey drank enough he turned into a different person, someone that Justin didn’t want to be around. If that could happen to Joey…

“I still don’t get what’s wrong,” Heather spoke up.

“Tony…when he drinks he’s more…courageous,” JC sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. “He doesn’t think straight.”

“Wait…” Justin said slowly as he squinted at JC. “That time Tony came to set with a black eye?”

“He tried to get with a girl and she punched him,” JC confirmed. Before he could say anything else Heather jumped up from the table and shoved her way through the dancing crowd. “You check by the bathrooms, I’ll check outside,” JC told Justin before he jumped out of his seat.

~*~*~

“Are you sure you don’t want any?” Tony asked as he held out his glass, shaking it lightly so the golden liquid spun around the bottom.

“I’m fourteen. I’m way too young,” Mack replied as she pushed it away from her face.

“I was your age when I first tried it. It’s not that bad, really,” he said with a shrug as he put the glass down on the counter. “I have to say, I’m impressed,” he told her suddenly.

“By what?” She asked in confusion.

“By you. I mean, staying in a house with those guys 24/7 and you haven’t pulled out your hair?” He chuckled as he reached forward and gently tugged the bangs that fell into her eyes. “You shouldn’t hide behind your hair,” he continued, pushing her hair back behind her ears. “Your eyes are a beautiful shade of blue, you should show them off.”

A smile formed on her lips as she twisted on her stool a little bit. Everything she wanted to hear come out of his mouth was her reality, but something was off, she just couldn’t put her finger on it. It was either the way he was looking at her with clouded eyes or the nagging fact that he was still with Kerri.

“I…have to find Justin,” she mumbled as she slid off of the stool.

“What’s the rush?” he asked as he grabbed her wrist to stop her from moving.

“He’ll get worried.”

“One more dance, please?” He asked, flashing her a smile. “Please?” He placed a hand on her cheek and gently stroked it with his thumb, causing her knees to tremble.

“Ok, fine.” Her heart lurched when he grabbed her hand, squeezing it a bit as he pulled her onto the dance floor where other couples were holding each other and swaying to the music. She practically got a heart attack when he placed his hands on her waist. She put her hands on his shoulders and looked anywhere but at him, as someone would turn their head so they wouldn’t look directly into the sun.

She still couldn’t believe that Tony was paying any attention to her. It was something that she and Britney talked about on set and on the phone. It felt too good to be true. Mack was snapped back to reality when she felt a hand that was on her waist start to travel south.

“What’re you doing?” She demanded as she placed her hands on her chest and shoved him.

“Relax,” he muttered as his eyes turned hard. He reached out to her again but she backed away, bumping into a couple. “Would you quit acting like a little baby?” He growled through clenched teeth. He grabbed her waist, trying to pull her closer, as she pounded her fists on his chest to try and push him away. He kept a strong grip on her waist, a hand snaking its way under her shirt and across her flat stomach. “If you’d just relax, you’d enjoy this!”

“Let go!” Her voice was muffled over the loud music. Her heart jumped into her throat when she felt his hand start to higher. All of a sudden she felt herself being shoved a bit. She looked up to see a nervous look on Tony’s face but he was looking over her head. She turned to see what he was looking at and a feeling of relief washed over her.

“Hey Jace. What’s goin’ on?” Tony asked as he shoved his hands into his pockets. He glanced around when the techno music filled the air again before looking at JC.

“Not much, Tone,” JC replied. He looked at Mack who was staring at the floor as if it had suddenly grown interesting. “We have to go,” he said as he gripped her upper arm. “We can’t stay out too late.”

“Always have to be the father figure, eh, Josh?” Tony asked with a smirk.

JC turned hard eyes on his friend. “Someone has to be responsible,” he muttered. Tony held his gaze, as if the two were in a staring contest. Finally Tony turned away and disappeared into the crowd. “Are you ok?” JC asked as he shifted his arm to lay it across her shoulders, hugging her to him. She nodded. “Let’s go home, kid.”
End Notes:

I don't own Disney World, Tony, Nikki, or any mentioned Disney characters. I only own the plot and my character. Please read and review! Constructive criticism is accepted!

The Catch by Mack_Attack22
Chapter 9: The Catch

“I still don’t get why you have to leave.”

Lance sighed as he folded another t-shirt and laid it on top of the pile in his suitcase. Joey was sitting on Lance’s bed, watching the blond as he packed the rest of his suitcase. He tried everything he could to get Lance to stay, but Diane won over in the end.

After the Pleasure Island showcase the only thing they could do was wait to see if they would get picked up by a record company. In that time Lance could be finishing his education back home in Mississippi and if they ever needed him back in Orlando he would be on the first flight out. Once Diane’s mind was made up it was impossible for them to switch it back. Joey and Lance both tried to convince her to let him finish school there but she declined. So they spent the last day relaxing by playing video games, swimming in the backyard pool, going to the arcade and watching movies. It was a very low key way for them to say goodbye to him but he wouldn’t want it any other way.

“I need to go back,” Lance replied as he tried to shove the lid down on his suitcase. “Mom is right, there really isn’t a reason to stay here waiting for a call. If it comes, I’ll fly right back out. In the meantime I need to finish school.”

“They have perfectly good schools here you could attend,” Joey pointed out.

“I know, but I miss my family,” he admitted, giving up on the lid of the suitcase and sitting down on his bed. “Time will fly by, man,” he continued smiling a little. “I’m always reachable by phone. I’ll be around so you have someone to talk to about your latest flirting conquest.”

“Or failure,” Justin called as he passed by the door, carrying a box. Lance would have been moving his own boxes to the large moving truck that was waiting to go but he decided to take Joey’s advice and make the “little ones” do it for him. After all, he was two years older than the youngest ones so that mean that he had some sort of seniority over them.

Lance rolled his eyes but smiled anyway. He knew that Justin was just teasing Joey; it was their own special way of saying that they care for each other without having to say it out loud. In the small amount of time they all knew each other they could honestly say they were each other’s best friends, brothers even. Lance was excited to go back home but he didn’t want to leave them behind. They could all tell what he was feeling so they amped up on the teasing and name calling, making sure he had a smile on his face instead of pondering over the fact that he was leaving.

“Honey, do you have everything packed?” Diane asked as she came into the room.

“I think so,” Lance replied as he looked around the now empty room. He grabbed the last box that was in the room and carried it out the front door. He was surprised to see a few Rolls-Royces sitting in the driveway. He still wasn’t used to Lou spending so much money on them, taking them around town in limos and treating them to dinner at upscale restaurants. “Yeah, this is the last one,” he announced as he lifted the box higher and shoved it into the back of the large truck.

“Everyone to the cars,” Lou ordered as he opened the door to a Rolls-Royce.

“Wait, I haven’t said bye to Mack yet,” Lance said as he looked around the yard. His eyes rested on the guys, Lynn, his mom, and then Lou. “Where is she? It’s not even close for her to leave for school,” he said as he looked at his watch.

“She’s probably still in her room,” Justin said with a shrug. “I’ll check.” Lance followed the young boy back into the house, his eyebrows knitting together in worry. It was odd; Mack was always the first one awake. Now she was nowhere to be seen… “Huh?” He heard Justin utter. “She’s not here. Her room’s empty.” His eyes widened. “What if something happened? What if someone broke in and took her? What if she’s being held against her will? What if–”

“Whoa, Justin, chill!” Lance said as he grabbed Justin’s shoulders and shook him a little. Justin immediately quieted down and looked up at Lance with fear-filled eyes. “You gotta stay calm. Now, when was the last time you saw her?”

“Carrying boxes to the truck,” he replied.

It suddenly dawned on Lance. “I know where she is.” He turned and went straight back out of the house, making a beeline for the moving truck. He lifted himself into the back and walked past many boxes. He found Mack sitting by a big box, holding his Taz plushie in her arms. “We’ve been lookin’ all over for you. You had Justin go crazy with theories of your whereabouts.” She didn’t respond. “Why are you hiding?” He asked as he sat down next to her.

“I don’t want you to go,” she mumbled in response. “You can stay here in Orlando with us. You can go to school here with me, or get home schooled like Justin.”

“I have to go home to my family. I can’t just bring them all here,” he pointed out.

“We’re your family too. You’re leaving us behind,” she replied in a small voice as she held the toy tighter.

Lance was surprised by how childlike she was acting. She was only fourteen but she constantly acted more like a mother than her actual age. Seeing her act like a kid was actually really weird to see. “I’m still reachable by phone. We’re only an hour behind so you can call me at any reasonable time.” He emphasized reasonable because he knew that Justin would call at some ridiculous hour if she didn’t stop him. “Like I said I’ll come back for any *NSYNC business that you need me physically here for. We just have to wait to get signed and there’s not much I can do here.”

“Who am I going to have a philosophical conversation with now?” She whined.

“Talk to JC,” he replied. “He knows a lot more than I do. Remember, he actually went to a normal high school for a bit. He knows more than the rest of them. Even though Chris and Joey went, I’m pretty convinced that they didn’t pay that close attention in class.” He smiled when she burst out laughing and hugged her to him. “Tell you what, you can keep my Taz so it’s like I’m always here. Everything will be fine. You still have the other guys here; they’ll take care of you.”

“Now you know I’m the one doing the taking care of around here,” she said as she stood and stretched. “If it weren’t for me Lynn would go off the wall.”

“That’s true,” Lance agreed, chuckling. “While I’m gone promise that you’ll stay out of trouble. I don’t want to hear about you getting a detention or another suspension.”

“That one wasn’t my fault and you know it!” He gave her a stern look and she sighed. “Ok, I won’t get into trouble. I’ll be a little angel.”

“Hey now, I never said anything about you changing completely.” A shocked look came to her face but she smiled nonetheless. “Come on, I don’t want to be late for my flight.”

“My master plan was so close to working too.”

He took her hand and walked back to the open end of the truck. He jumped down and held out his hand to help her down. “I found her,” he called. A few seconds later the guys rushed out of the house followed by Lynn, Diane, and Lou. “There’s a reason why she’s the master of hide and seek,” he added, trying to make the situation light hearted.

“Great. Now that we’re all here we can go to the airport,” Lou spoke up. “But don’t expect to be back in Mississippi for long,” he added, winking at Lance who beamed and nodded.

“Stupid school,” Mack mumbled.

“Remember what I told you,” Lance said before pulling her into a hug.

“Yeah, yeah. I know,” her voice was muffled by his shirt. “Come back soon, ok?”

~*~*~

The days turned into weeks, which turned into months and Lou still hadn’t found a record label for the boys. He claimed that he’s been searching for a while but the boys were slowly starting to lose faith. He would try to get them to keep his trust by making them sing and dance at random events held around the town. Once they even flew to Mississippi to perform a little show at Lance’s school. Their performance went over well with the students and the euphoric feeling they got when they first performed in front of people came rushing back.

Afterwards they found themselves waiting even longer. It had almost been a year, two months short in fact, since they filmed their Pleasure Island demo and the boys were tired of waiting. JC got a hold of Lou many times asking about being signed. Lou constantly told him to not worry and that he should stick with singing and dancing, that Lou would take care of everything.

Lance had returned in January when Lou had said that they would do a huge tour around Orlando. To prepare them Mack had the boys work in a warehouse nearby. It was always really hot in the warehouse. They begged her many times to switch the practice area but she kept them there, saying that they’d thank her for it later.

Lou had gotten in contact with a friend of his named Johnny Wright to become their manager while Lou handled their finances. Johnny knew more people in the business than Lou did so Lou thought it was a great idea to have him as their manager. They even went up to New York a few times to perform for different record companies to see if they would get signed. Each time they came home with smiles on their faces, thinking they aced it, but would only have the rug pulled out from under them with a single phone call.

By the time August rolled around the boys were getting tired of waiting. Mack and Joey tried to be optimistic about the situation but even they were beginning to lose home. Mack “lost” her best friend when Karen, Heather, and Tyler moved back to Maryland while Roy stayed in Orlando. Besides having to deal with their boys and their well being she also had to deal with her parents who were both slowly starting to put her on the backburner while they put their jobs first, both of which made them work a lot more than usual. She claimed that she was glad that they were getting more work and now she could spend more time with her friends and her “second mom”.

Like every Saturday they were bored waiting around for a phone call so they decided to play game to pass the time. Justin and Chris had created a game they liked to call Sweatshirt Slap. Basically they split into two teams of three and put on large sweatshirts (Mack could borrow any one of theirs because she was the smallest). Then they would run around the house, jumping off of furniture, using the long sleeves to slap the other in the face. Of course, they only did this when Lynn wasn’t around.

Currently the teams were split up so Chris, Lance, and Mack were on one side and Joey, JC, and Justin was on the other. They were cleverly dubbed the Shorties and the Redwoods. Chris dove in front of the couch and rolled into a ball, trying to stay out of Joey’s sight as he came tiptoeing into the room. He moved behind the couch, slowly looking around the room. Chris, slowly and quietly climbed onto the back of the couch. Joey whirled around right as Chris jumped into the air and tackled Joey to the ground, frantically swatting Joey’s face with the arms of the sweatshirt.

“Ha ha HA! Guess what tree got knocked down by a shortie!” He cheered triumphantly as he punched his arms in the air, the longer parts of the sleeve dropping down so he looked like a giant M.

“Yeah yeah, get off of me you monkey,” Joey said as he shoved Chris off of him. “Man, why we decided to play this game in a house in Orlando is beyond me,” he muttered as he pulled the sweatshirt off and let out a sigh of relief. “Let’s do something else.”

“You always do that,” Mack said suddenly, causing them to jump. She had hidden in the games chest that was in the corner.

“Do what?” Joey asked.

“You always want to switch games when you’re losing,” she pointed out as she pulled off the sweatshirt and dropped it onto the floor in a heap.

“No I don’t,” he denied, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Yes you do.”

“No I don’t.”

“Yes you do.”

“You do know that they could go at it for hours if you don’t stop them,” Justin said as he came into the living room.

Chris shrugged, “Makes for good entertainment.”

Justin and Chris turned their attention to JC who had walked into the living room talking on the phone. Lance followed close behind, trying to hear what the other person was saying. Joey and Mack momentarily forgot their argument and crowded closer to JC to hear the conversation.

“Who is it?”

“What do they want?”

“Who is it, Jace?”

“Jace, tell us!”

He swatted them away and put a finger in his ear, an annoyed look crossing his features. It quickly faded and was replaced with a surprised look. “OK. We’ll be there in…twenty minutes? We have to wait until Lynn comes back…OK, see you then.” He hung up the phone and put it back in its base before answering any of their questions.

“What’s goin’ on?” Lance questioned.

“That was Lou,” JC replied. “He wants us to go over to his house. He says he has something important he wants to tell us over dinner.”

“Maybe he’ll convince Lance to stay,” Joey said as he pointedly looked over in Lance’s direction.

Lance sighed. “We’ve been through this before, guys. I’m just tired of waiting and if I can finish school while I’m waiting I want to do it. I don’t see why you’re making such a big deal out of this.”

“We feel the same way,” Joey spoke up. “Really, I’m actually starting to get tired of waiting. It’s just…you’re kind of running away, ya know?”

“Running away?” Lance repeated.

“What Joseph means is”–JC quickly spoke up, glaring at Joey who held his hands up and backed away–“that you’re leaving before we can even get an answer. I can see how that seems like you’re running away. I understand that you’re tired of waiting around. I am too, that’s why I took that part time job at the mall but I’m still here. I haven’t left for Maryland. Stick around a little bit longer, we’ll get a call. I’m sure of it, you just have to wait.”

“How much longer are we going to wait?” Lance sighed. “Days? Weeks? Months? Years? What if we wait for a call that’s never going to come and we miss our chance?”

“We’ll just take things into our own hands then,” JC replied with a shrug and a smile. “We have talent, enough talent that that we can’t keep it to ourselves. We have to share it with the world and if we have to make sure it happens by ourselves, well, I’d like that. If we made it big one day because of what we did then it would make everything a whole lot better for us in the long run.”

“Jace is right,” Justin agreed. “Just wait a little bit longer. Please, Lance? Please?” Justin widened his eyes and pouted at Lance, who studied Justin’s face, his lips twitching slightly as if he were fighting off a smile. “Do I have to get on my knees and beg?”

“I’d like to see that,” Chris said as he stuck his hand in the air as if voting for something.

“Ok, fine. I’ll stick around to hear what Lou has to say. Unless it has something to do with us potentially being signed, I’m leaving to finish school back at home.”

“Ok, that’s fine,” Justin said with a smile, feeling successful. “Anyone want to play some basketball?”

“I will. I can finally beat your baby ass,” Chris said as he shoved Justin out the front door of the house.

JC went back down the hall, probably to talk to Nikki without being interrupted, while Joey, Lance, and Mack watched TV and speculated over what Lou wanted to tell them. Eventually the conversation switched to her giving them a French lesson as they ran around the house chasing Little J.

“Ok, how do you say…’you are beautiful’?” Joey asked.

“Well, it depends on if you’re talking to a girl or a boy,” Mack replied. “For a girl you use the word jolie and for a boy you use the word beau. So, for a girl you would say something along the lines of tu es jolie. Now keep in mind that it’s rough translation so you can’t blame me if you ever use it and get slapped.”

“Unless you’re sabotaging me on purpose,” Joey said as he squinted at her.

“Moi? Never!”

“I wouldn’t put that beneath you.”

“Did you hear that, Little J? Joey just insulted me,” she said as she picked up the white ball of fur and turned him around so he was facing Joey. “Go get him. Go attack him.” Little J calmly walked over to Joey and licked his outstretched hand, causing them all to laugh.

Lynn came home and a few minutes later they all left the house to go to Lou’s place. The boys have been there a couple of times before but they were still in awe when they drove up the long, u shaped driveway. Justin bolted out of the car as soon as the doors were opened and ran straight to the backyard where a basketball court was along with a large pool.

“Justin! You could at least say hi to Lou before you start playing,” Lynn scolded from the back patio.

“It’s all right, Lynn. Let him blow off some energy,” Lou said with a laugh as he watched Justin taunt Chris who joined him on the court.

“I’m in the mood for some billiards. Joey, I bet you twenty bucks that you can’t beat me,” Lance said as he lightly slapped Joey’s chest with the back of his hand.

“You’re on!” Joey replied, shaking Lance’s hand. “JC, you want in on this? I really need the forty bucks.”

“Sure,” he said with a shrug, tearing his eyes away from the view the backyard had. “I’m in the mood to see Joey get his ass kicked.”

“Thanks for the support, buddy,” Joey muttered sarcastically as JC smiled innocently.

Mack sighed as she looked around the backyard, seeing if there was anything for her to do. Finding nothing she went inside the house, amazed at how large and spacious it was. Once the shock wore off she went in search of entertainment.

Being around the guys for so long made her feel offended whenever they wanted to do something with each other. She knew they weren’t trying to leave her out on purpose, but it still hurt her nonetheless.

She settled on watching TV, although she couldn’t pay attention. Shows were too boring without Justin’s or Chris’s commenting, followed by Lance’s and JC’s growls of “shut up” and Joey’s hysterical laughter. She let out a loud annoyed sigh for the fifth time in two minutes when Lynn walked by.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” She asked, leaving over the back of the couch.

“I’m bored,” Mack replied. “There’s nothing to do.”

“Why don’t you play basketball with Justin and Chris?” She suggested.

Mack stared at her for a couple of seconds. “That would be great if I didn’t suck.” Lynn gave her a hard look. “Stink,” she quickly corrected herself.

“Play billiards with the other boys.”

“They wouldn’t want me to play,” she grumbled as she crossed her arms over her chest.

“Uh-oh. I get it, you’re suffering from Little Sister Syndrome,” Lynn said with a smile as she walked around the couch. She sat down next to Mack and pulled her into a hug, gently rocking her and stroking her hair.

“Little Sister Syndrome?” Mack repeated.

“Mhm. You’re feeling left out because the boys want to do boy things and you’ve been around them so long you don’t know how to do things by yourself,” she explained. “I went through the same thing about my brothers when I was younger. I didn’t have a lot of friends that were girls when I was your age so I went with them all of the time. When I was by myself I didn’t know what to do so I eventually took up sewing and other odd jobs. That’s what you should do.”

“Sewing?” Mack chuckled nervously. “That would work if I didn’t hate needles.”

“I mean you should do something that you’re good at,” she replied, her eyes shining. “I bet if you asked Lou, he would let you in his kitchen to make dinner. You still like to cook, right?”

“You know I love it, Lynn. I’m pretty damn good too,” Mack replied. Lynn sighed. “I’m pretty dern good too,” Mack corrected herself, using a thick southern accent, causing Lynn to laugh.

“Why don’t you use your accent? It’s really cute when you use it,” Lynn said.

“Thanks, but I don’t want to give the guys another reason to make fun of me. They all ready tease me about being afraid of Clowns and having to have my food separated on a plate. They even make fun of me saying ‘eh’ all the time. Not that I don’t love the South, but the accent I could do without.”

Lynn chuckled as the two girls stood and went in search for Lou. He was standing on the back patio, watching as Justin went one on one with Chris. Justin called out to Lou explaining certain maneuvers as he continued to beat Chris. Chris hid his annoyance by making fun of Justin’s hair, which was a soft spot for the young boy.

“Lou, she wants to know if she could use your kitchen to make dinner for everyone,” Lynn called as she placed a hand on Mack’s shoulder.

Lou turned around and rested his eyes on Mack. She looked back but shifted her gaze under his stare. His eyes were crinkled in the corners and something was shining in his eyes, something she couldn’t put her finger on.

“Let her, Lou. That’s where she belongs,” Justin called as he spun the basketball on his finger. He flinched when Mack’s piercing blue eyes locked with his and she scowled. He gulped and stopped spilling the ball, holding it to use it for self-defense if needed. She could knock the shit out of him when she was mad, he knew that from experience.

“Justin Randall!” Lynn said in a scolding tone as he shrugged and went back to playing.

“You can use it,” Lou’s voice cut in.

“I’ll clean it when I’m done, I promise,” Mack said before turning back into the house, suddenly wanting to get away from the boys before she ripped off their heads for belonging to that gender.

She stood in the doorway in awe. The kitchen was huge. The light in the room reflected off of the shiny oven and stove. She rushed over to the large refrigerator and her eyes got wide at the selection of food. She then opened the freezer and stood in front of it, scanning the food to see what she should prepare.

She eventually decided on steak, mashed potatoes, rice, and broccoli. She snickered to herself knowing that Justin would be complaining his mouth off. He hated broccoli, absolutely hated it. He’d rather eat brussle sprouts than eat broccoli and he wasn’t very fond of the sprouts either.

“Hmmm, how much water do I need?” She muttered to herself as she held the container of rice in her hands and shifted it, trying to see if there were instructions. She shrieked and threw some rice in the air when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around and felt her stomach drop when she noticed that it was Lou. “Sorry about the rice. You…you startled me,” she mumbled as she backed away from him, keeping her hands on the bag of rice.

He didn’t reply, he just let his eyes wander. She shivered under his gaze, glancing around to see if there was a way she could escape. She was considerably smaller than him and she ran cross country for years, she could easily run past him if she wanted to. It’s just that her feet seemed to be glued to the floor.

“How do you do it?” he finally asked.

“Do what?” She demanded, taking slow deep breaths to calm her racing heart.

“Get muscles like that,” he replied, nodding at her arm. He reached out and gently touched the muscles in her arm and she flinched.

“Don’t touch me,” she snapped. Lou merely smirked and grabbed her upper arm with his large hand and started squeezing it. She gritted her teeth as pain shot up her arm. He could probably break it if he wanted to try. “What do you want from me?” She asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Lou merely smiled. “You’re smart, you figure it out.”

Her eyes widened and it seemed as if her heart stopped. She finally caught her breath and yelled loudly, “Laaaaaaaance!”

Lou immediately let go of her arm and backed away from her as Lance came rushing into the kitchen. “What? What’s wrong?” He asked, looking around. His eyebrows knitted together in confusion when he noticed Mack’s knees shaking. “Are you ok?” he asked, rushing over to her side, placing a hand on the small of her back.

“I feel sick,” she mumbled, leaning against him, dropping the rice on the floor.

“I can help,” Lou offered.

“No! I want Lynn!”

“Ok. Ok, come on, I’ll take you to Lynn,” he said as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and walked with her out of the room. She shivered, feeling Lou’s eyes burning holes in the back of her head.

~*~*~

“So I bet you’re all wondering why I brought you here today,” Lou said as he put down the spoon he used for his dessert. He waited until they finished decorating their ice cream the way they liked it but that proved to take a while.

First Chris had to cover every single space of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup. Then he had to sprinkle nuts on in a certain way along with the sprinkles. He had to make a mountain out of the whipped cream and had to have the cherry sitting directly on top of the mountain. Only when he took a large spoonful and was smiling happily did he let Lou continue.

“I just wanted to say that I am very impressed with your work and your dedication towards your singing and dancing. You’re going to be huge…huge.” Justin beamed as he kicked his legs back and forth, like a happy child. Joey and Chris were also smiling big smiles. JC and Lance were the only ones who didn’t show any emotions on their faces as if they were calculating what Lou was telling them before they chose to react. Lynn and Mack stayed silent, watching them all.

“Johnny Wright, as you know, went looking around for record companies,” Lou continued. “He has succeeded in finding a representative from BMG music. BMG wants to sign you. BMG Ariola Munich, a branch of BMG, wants to fly you to Germany to record there since boy bands are big in Europe right now.”

Justin’s and Chris’s eyes got as wide as saucers. Lynn covered her mouth with her hands as tears welled in the corners of her eyes. Mack’s eyebrows rose, Joey started punching the air with his fists and Lance’s jaw was dropped. JC was the only one who didn’t react. He was squinting at Lou, as if sensing something was off. “What’s the catch?” JC questioned.

“Josh! What the hell? We got signed and you think there’s a catch?” Justin cried out, ignoring Lynn’s scolding look when he said ‘hell’.

“JC is right,” Lou sighed. “There is a catch. They want you to change your name and…they want you to get rid of Lance.” Automatically everyone’s eyes turned to Lance, whose face turned pale. He looked down at his bowl and slapped his ice cream with the back of his spoon, not saying anything. “They don’t think his dancing is up to the same level as the rest of the boys.”

“And they want to drop him just like that?” Mack spoke up. “That’s bullshit!”

“Mackenzie!” Lynn hissed.

“I’m sorry Lynn but that is bullshit. I’ve worked with him, he’s doing a hell of a lot better than he’s been doing before. They can’t just drop him like that.” She shoved her bowl away from herself as she shook her head. “Tell them that I’ll personally help Lance get on the same level as these guys.”

“She’s right, we’re not going to drop Lance just like that,” JC spoke up. “We’re a team, if one of us won’t get signed then none of us will be signed,” he said as he patted Lance’s back. Lance lifted his head and smiled thankfully at him.

“What about the name?” Lou questioned.

“We’re called *NSYNC for a reason,” Justin spoke up. “Because that’s what we are. We’re in sync with our singing and our dancing. We can’t change it. I won’t change it. They’re going to have to accept us as is or not sign us at all.” He crossed his arms over his chest and pouted slightly, a look that everyone knew meant that he wasn’t going to give up without a fight.

Lou clasped his hands together and let out a breath. “I’ll Johnny about it. Now, I can’t promise you anything but I will let you know later tonight if you’ve been signed or not.”

The boys stood, thanking him for inviting them over. Justin was bouncing off of the walls as they made their way back to the cars. He was the only one who was still really excited about the fact that they could get signed. “Come on guys. We’re going to get signed.”

“How do you know?” JC spoke up, shoving his hands into his pockets. “They could change their mind.”

“Only ‘cause you don’t want to leave Lance out? That’d be stupid,” Mack said as she nudged Lance with her elbow.

“Say how you really feel,” he muttered sarcastically with an eye roll.

“Don’t get her started,” Justin called from where he was standing behind the open door of the passenger side of the car.

“Hey!” Chris suddenly shouted. “I called the front seat on the way back.” He stomped his foot on the ground and crossed his arms like a little kid.

“Chill, Old Man, the seat’s not for me, it’s for her,” he said as he nodded at Mack who lifted an eyebrow. “Well, get in,” he said as he motioned to the seat. She silently did as she was told and sat down in the front. He closed the door behind her and got into the back part of the van, sitting in between JC and Chris.

“Lynn, can we listen to the radio?” Joey asked after a couple of minutes of silence. It was starting to drive him crazy. He knew what everyone was thinking and he didn’t want the silence to allow them to think about Lance’s predicament. She nodded and turned it on, a country song immediately filling the air.

“Ugh! Anything but this,” Joey groaned, leaning forward to change the station.

“No, let Mack pick,” Justin said as he slapped Joey’s arm. Joey turned around and raised an eyebrow at him. His mouth parted before a smile formed on it and he wiggled his eyebrows. An annoyed look immediately crossed Justin’s features. “No,” was the only thing he said.

“Are you sure?” Joey pressed.

“What’s he talking about?” Lance questioned, turning around himself.

“Joey’s suggesting that Justin has a crush on me,” Mack replied from the front seat without turning around, surfing through radio stations. She left it on one that was playing I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) and she started bouncing in her seat, despite feeling a little sick to her stomach.

“Ok, so why are you so calm about the accusation while Justin looks like he wants to rip out Joey’s throat?” Chris questioned.

“I have to deal with it from my mom all the time. She thinks we’ll eventually get married. Actually, she hopes for it,” she explained. “I just deal with it ‘cause I know that J and I are too close to get married in the future. We wouldn’t be able to stand each other. Our habits get on each other’s nerves all ready. If we were married we’d be fighting day in and day out.”

“Yes, but I would love it if you were my daughter,” Lynn commented.

“I’m close enough. I spend more time at your house than I do at mine back home.”

Except for the radio the rest of the car ride was silent. Justin broke the silence after a while by shouting out Beatles and JC replied with Sixpence None the Richer and Chris shot back Rancid, starting up a game that lasted until they got back to the house.

“Umm…Roxy Music,” Joey blurted out as they pulled into the driveway.

“Quick, JC, last one! Five seconds,” Justin said as he dove over Chris to get out of the van.

“Cheap Trick,” JC replied instantly, seemingly not having to think about it.

“How do you always do that?” Justin demanded. JC merely shrugged and started into the house. “I bet I could beat you in a video game!” Justin challenged as he looked up at JC expectantly.

He really wasn’t in the mood to play. He wanted to call up his family, maybe talk to Nikki, and then get to sleep. He looked down at Justin and saw that his eyes were wide with hope, practically silently begging him. JC sighed and put on a smile, nodding. Justin cheered before rushing into the house to set up the game. JC slowly shook his head although the smile never left his face. “Are you ok?” He turned around to see Mack slowly getting out of the car, holding her stomach. Lance held out his hand and she grasped it, her hand shaking. “You don’t look so good.”

“Are you talking to the same girl who lives with us? She’s hot, man. Even for a fourteen-year-old,” Joey commented, chuckling. He stopped immediately when he saw the glare that she was shooting at him. “If you weren’t as pale as a piece of paper I’m sure you’d appreciate that compliment.”

“Let me see.” JC walked over to where the two boys were standing. He placed his hands on her neck and used his thumbs to lift her head. She stared at him with dull blue eyes. He shifted her head from left to right before moving it back to the center. “Yeah, she’s sick.” He dropped his hands. “Hey Lynn, can you set up a pillow and a blanket on the couch?” Lynn nodded and JC moved to help Lance walk with her into the house.

The couch set up, or the Sick Couch as they dubbed it, was perfect for anyone who was feeling sick. That way Lynn could easily check up on the one who was sick and they wouldn’t keep the others up by coughing or sneezing.

“What’s wrong with her?” Justin asked from a chair, watching curiously as JC and Lance gently laid Mack down on the couch.

“She came down with something,” Lance replied. “She said she felt sick earlier, while we were at Lou’s. I thought she was fine but I guess it came back.”

“What’re her symptoms?”

“Umm…she’s pale, she has a high fever, she says she feels like she’s going to throw up and she shivers every now and then.”

“Ah, the flu. Could be a twenty-four hour one, she never stays sick for too long. Just let her sleep it off, she’ll be fine tomorrow,” Justin said in a dismissive tone as he turned his attention back to the fighting game he was playing. “JC, come on! I’m bored waiting for you to pick up the damn controller!”

“Will you hold on a second? I have to take her temperature,” JC replied, walking back into the living room with the thermometer in his hand.

“Why are y’all treating her like a damn baby? She’s fine!”

“Yeah she is,” Joey commented as he dropped down on the couch, lifting Mack’s legs and putting them on his lap. She smiled a little but it dropped when she made a face as JC held the thermometer in front of her mouth. She turned her head every time JC tried to get the thermometer close to her mouth. She eventually grabbed the blankets and pulled it over her head. “What the heck? C’mon girl, do you want to get better?” he asked as he massaged her calves. The form under the blanket nodded. “Then open your mouth and let JC take your temperature.”

“Won’t work. She’s too stubborn when she’s sick,” Justin called from his chair.

Mack suddenly yanked the blankets down, glaring at him. “Listen, Timberflake, you say one more thing I’m gonna–mmf!” JC cut off her threat by using that opportunity to shove the thermometer into her mouth.

“What brought on your sudden illness anyway?” Chris asked. He had been quiet while sitting on the floor. He tilted his head back to look at her and she shrugged. He then looked at Justin for information.

“She has a weak immune system,” he replied simply. “If someone’s sick she’d catch it at least a few hours later. She keeps a cough for a few weeks after she’s over it, too, but that’s only ‘cause she has asthma and being sick triggers it.”

“You want to tell them my whole life story?” Mack asked sarcastically once JC pulled the thermometer out of her mouth.

“Ooh! Story time! Story time!” Chris cheered, turning off the video game and the TV before turning around, a large smile was on his face.

“Yeah, tell us how you met J,” Lance said as he leaned forward in his seat.

Her eyes shifted from each boy who was giving her their full attention, except for Justin who had a bored look on his face. He was there for most, if not all of her life, so he’s heard everything. A slow smile formed on his face. “Hold on!” He called, jumping out of his chair. He ran into his room and pulled a photo album from underneath his bed. He ran back into the living room, squishing onto the couch with Joey, JC, and Mack, forcing her to sit up and slump in her space.

“Where’d you get that?” She demanded, eyeing the cover of the book.

“I got my mom to get your mom to bring it over,” Justin replied, sticking out his tongue. “Ok, start the story,” he said as he kept his hands firmly on the shut book just in case she wanted to snatch it away from him.

“Fiiiine. I was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. That’s where my Dad was born and my Mom lived for a while. That’s how they met each other, through school. Mom attended school in Quebec and went back to his home, Memphis, in the summers. Anyway, like I said, I was born there and I lived there until I was about…two, two and a half maybe? Then I moved to Memphis and I was a few doors down from Justin. We met ‘cause of our moms setting us up on ‘play dates’. Actually, he was the one who helped me learn how to walk–”

“Stop,” Chris called, holding up his hand. “How did he teach you how to walk?”

“Oh, well, Justin used to hate getting his shoes dirty so he would crawl around keeping his feet in the air so they wouldn’t touch the dirty carpet. I would used to hold onto his ankles and crawl behind him, but it would be hard to keep up ‘cause he moved faster than me. So, one day, I just stood, held onto his ankles, and walked after him.”

“And here’s the picture to prove it!” Justin said as he opened the book and pointed at a picture. Mack’s eyes widened and she covered her face with her blanket as the other guys leaned forward and started laughing.

“What the heck is goin’ on with your hair, girl?” Joey questioned.

“Ugh, Justin, I’m going to kill you,” she groaned. Justin merely laughed, flipping the pages of the photo album. He stopped laughing suddenly and held the album as close to his face as possible.

“Dammit! You have this picture in here?” He cried out.

“What? What? I want to see!” Chris said as he dived onto the couch, successfully hitting JC in the face with his foot as Justin tried to get away from him.

“No, get away!” Justin said as he held the book out of Chris’s reach. He jumped off of the couch and ran away as fast as he could. Chris followed close behind. “Thought you could run faster than that, old man.”

“Don’t tempt me, pipsqueak!”

With that ass the perfect distraction, Mack got off the couch, after falling back down twice, and shuffled to her room to shower and change. Her head felt heavy as if she was congested, but she wasn’t. She felt sick to her stomach thinking about Lou’s hand touching her arm. She jumped into the shower and waited until the water warmed up before grabbing the soapy loofah and scrubbing her arm until it turned red.

She then stood under the water, letting it run down her head and over her body, mixing with the tears that were falling out of the corners of her eyes. She was glad the roaring sound of the shower drowned out her sobs. A knock on the door pulled her back to reality.

“Are you trying to drown yourself in there?” Joey’s muffled voice came from the other side of the door.

Sighing, Mack turned off the water and stepped out of the shower, quickly drying herself off and pulling on her pajamas. She looked in the mirror to make sure her eyes weren’t red or puffy before opening the door.

“Are you feeling any better?” He asked, leaning in the doorway. She nodded silently. He frowned and placed his large hand on her forehead. “You still feel a little warm. Maybe it’s the steam. I want to check your temperature again anyway.” He reached out to take her hand but she quickly snatched it away. His eyebrows knitted together and he opened his mouth to say something but she quickly brushed past him, mumbling something about wanting to go to sleep.

She had settled on the couch trying to calm her stomach by thinking of the old days when she, Trace, and Justin would run around their front yards playing cowboys and Indians. She spent the next twenty minutes tossing and turning, sleep was evading her for the fifth night in a row.

“Want some company?” She lifted her head and squinted in the darkness. Once her eyes adjusted she noticed Justin kneeling above her, resting his arms on the armrest of the couch. She nodded silently and shifted forward, allowing him space to slide in between her and the couch. He lightly wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder. She stiffened in his arms but slowly relaxed and cuddled against him. “Sorry about that kitchen thing,” he mumbled.

“It’s ok,” she replied.

“No, really. I was just frustrated by how long we have to wait to see if we get signed.” His frustrated breath tickled her ear. “I mean, how much longer do we have to wait?”

“Even if nothing comes out of this you could go a long way by yourself, Just,” Mack replied, struggling to keep her eyes open as she listened to his heartbeat.

“Nah, I couldn’t do that. It’s all or nothing. I wouldn’t want to do this without the other guys. I couldn’t do this without the guys,” he mumbled, fighting off sleep himself. Mack grunted her agreement, her eyes slowly sliding shut. “Mackie?”

“Hmm?”

“I’m glad you’re here with me. I couldn’t do this without you.” He lightly kissed her cheek and shifted his head so his forehead was on her shoulder. They both fell asleep with small smiles on their faces.
End Notes:
Whew. So, they got the news about Germany, finally! Stay tuned to see what happens next for the boys. Please read and review.
A Piece of the Puzzle by Mack_Attack22
Chapter 10: A Piece of the Puzzle

“Awwww, isn’t that cute?”

“They’re so sweet.”

“And they say they’re not dating? Please, that’s evidence!”

“Quick, get a camera!”

“You get a camera!”

“Ssssh, don’t wake them up! Just go get it!”

“Did you get the picture?”

“Yeah, I got it. Hey, when do you think we should wake them up and tell them they want to sign us?”

“WHAT!?” Justin shot straight up, accidentally hitting Mack in the process. She groaned and held her head, sitting up to glare at Justin, before looking up to see Lynn, JC, and Chris smiling at them. “I’m not in the mood for small talk,” Justin growled before JC could say anything. “What did you just say?”

“I said they want us to sign to BMG,” JC replied calmly. His eyes widened before he was tackled to the ground by Justin, who cheered loudly. JC covered his ears as best as he could as he laughed at Justin’s excitement. “They want to meet up with us at Lou’s around four.”

“Why?” Mack demanded, leaning against the back of the couch.

“To sign the contract! Gosh, you’re slow!” Chris replied, shoving a spoonful of Fruit Loops into his mouth.

“No, I mean why Lou’s place? Why not a restaurant or something?” She demanded.

“’Cause his house has the most space. What, do you not like going there or something? I mean, we can leave you behind if you want.”

Mack glared at him. “Leave her alone, Chris,” Lynn chuckled. “I’ve all ready called your parents and they want to come to read over the contract as well. Be dressed by 3:30 and please look nice,” she added looking pointedly at Chris. He noticed her look and rolled his eyes, although he nodded and continued chewing. Once she left the room Mack flipped him off and started folding the blanket that was on the couch.

“Feeling any better?” JC asked once he managed to get back to his feet and pry Justin off of him.

“I was,” Mack replied. ‘Until you mentioned going back to Lou’s’ she told herself, slightly shaking her head and letting out a sigh. ‘Be happy for them, Mack. Just be happy.’ “I’m fine,” she continued, noticing his concerned stare. “Call up Joey and tell him about the meeting. I’ll get Lance.” She looked up when he didn’t move. “Now!” She barked, causing him to jump and rush to do what she said. She ran into Lance’s room and jumped onto his sleeping figure, successfully waking him up. Before he could say anything to her she jumped off of the bed and ran out of the room.

She went into the kitchen to get something to eat. She was surprised to see that Lynn had laid out every breakfast food imaginable. Even with all of the pastries and warm food Justin still had to have his daily bowl of cereal. Lynn set a plate of eggs, hash browns, and grits into front of Mack and she grunted her thanks.

“Ok, what’s the deal?” Justin demanded, pushing his cereal away from himself and reaching for a muffin. He took a bite and looked up at Mack, waiting for an answer. He had waited until Lynn left the room to speak.

“What are you talking about?” Mack mumbled.

He sighed. “I’m your best friend, right?”

“Right,” she replied, looking at him as if he were crazy for asking.

“And we tell each other everything right?”

“Right,” she repeated.

“I mean everything, right?”

“Right!” She was slowly started to get annoyed of him beating around the bush.

“So why won’t you tell me the truth? What’s been bothering you? You haven’t gotten this ‘sick’ since we got home from the Pleasure Island gig.” He put finger quotes around the word sick. “Come to think of it, you’re only that ‘sick’ whenever something is really bothering you. Like, your mind makes you get sick.”

“How do you think I got out of school so many times?” She asked with a grin, pleased with her ability despite the circumstances.

“I was always mad about that,” he mused. He blinked and smirked. “Don’t change the subject. What is it? You know you can tell me, I won’t tell anyone. Unless…” he paused.

“Unless what?” She questioned.

“Unless…it’s a girl thing or an eating thing or…something,” he mumbled, his cheeks turning red.

“What, you think I’m pregnant or something?” She asked calmly. His eyes got wide when he started choking on his food. “Chew and swallow, Timberlake. I’m not pregnant. Who could I have been with anyway?”

“I don’t know, but I’d kill anyone that touches you,” Justin replied.

‘Can you kill Lou?’ Mack smiled before she continued eating. “I’m fine, Just. Honestly, it was just a little cold. I feel much better now. Especially with Dr. Timberlake here to help me get better faster.”

“Ah, it was nothing. A prescription of chocolate ice cream and a mini marathon of Friends will cure anything,” he replied with a wave of his hand. He glanced at the clock on the wall. “Do you still want to go by your parents’ house? Mom can drive you.”

“Ok. I just gotta get changed first.” She shoved a forkful of eggs into her mouth and jumped up from the table chewing. She raced to her room and pulled out the drawer, throwing clothes out as she looked for something to wear. She settled on a blue and white cap sleeved shirt with a peace sign in the middle, brown capris, and black vans.

She picked up her comb and ran it through her hair frantically as she walked into the living room where JC and Chris were playing Super Mario Kart. Chris tilted his head back and studied her. “Where’re you goin’?” He questioned.

“Home, ow,” she cried out, reaching a tangled chunk of her hair. “She wants me to meet Paul,” she continued with an eye roll. “I don’t get why they want me to meet their business partners–ow–all the time. I mean, they don’t–ow–stay that long. I see new business partners than–ow–my own family. OW!”

“You’re going to rip out your hair if you keep doing that,” JC sighed, getting off the couch. He yanked the comb from her hand and used it to point at the space on the floor in front of the chair. “Sit.”

“I’m not a dog,” she growled, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Well, your attitude begs to differ. Sit.” She huffed but did as she was told, sitting down in front of the chair. He sat down and started parting her hair around the knot. “Don’t move,” he spoke up after a couple of minutes of silence.

“I’m just going to play without you,” Chris called in a warning tone. When he saw that JC wasn’t going to do anything, he un-paused the game and tried to get to the finish line. “Yes, yes, that’s it. Closer…closer…NO! Damn banana!”

“That’s what you get for cheating,” JC called.

“Mack, come on. Mom’s ready to go,” Justin said as he and his mother walked into the living room.

“Finally!” She cried, moving forward to get to her feet. The comb was still in her hair and she jerked forward so fast that there was a painful tug. “Ow! Crap!” She shouted, clasping her hands behind her head.

“I told you not to move,” JC sighed.

“Ah, shut up, Chasez.”

“Hey hey, stay away from the arguing. Just for today,” Justin said as he grabbed her hands and pulled her to her feet.

“Only ‘cause you’re my friend,” Mack replied, following him and Lynn towards the door.

“I know. It’s practically the only reason Trace and I are alive,” he muttered before closing the front door behind them. They got into the car and sang along to the songs that were on the radio all the way to the Desrosiers house. The two raced up the stairs to the home. They were about to crash into the door but it swung open and they ran inside.

“How’d you know I was coming?” Mack asked, hugging her dad.

“’Cause I’m smart,” he replied. “How are you doing, Justin? I heard about the record company. You must be excited.”

“Excited is an understatement. He’s been bouncing around the house all morning,” Mack said with an eye roll and punched his shoulder. He flinched and rubbed his shoulder as she smiled innocently. “Where’s Mom?”

“In the kitchen waiting,” Philippe replied.

She ran into the kitchen and flung her arms around her mother’s neck. “Hey Mom!”

“Hey, Babydoll,” she greeted her daughter back and kissed her forehead. “Mackenzie, this is Paul, my business partner. Paul, this is my wonderful daughter Mackenzie and her best friend Justin.”

Mack eyed the man that was sitting at the table, sipping coffee from a cup. He put it down and smiled warmly at her. His jet black hair was slightly scruffy and his face was clean shaven. His eyes were mint green and were bright against his Crest Whitestrip smile. Justin nudged her side a few times before she blinked and shook the hand that he was holding out.

“It’s nice to finally meet you. Charlotte tells me a lot about you,” he said as his smile got bigger, causing wrinkles to form in the corners of his eyes.

“How much?” She demanded, squinting at him.

“A fair amount,” he replied with a shrug.

“What do you know?”

“That Justin here is your best friend. You grew up in Memphis. You’re French-Canadian. You love to dance. You speak French fluently although English is your first language and you’re a huge fan of the Spin Doctors song Two Princes.”

Mack’s eyes were squinted so much she was glaring at Paul with her arms crossed over her chest tightly. “You know too much,” she mumbled.

Paul shrugged. “Blame your mother on that one. She has to be proud of you to talk about you so much.”

Charlotte laughed a little as Paul beamed. Mack grunted before tilting her head in the direction of the living room and Justin followed her silently. Justin could tell she was fuming by the way she was tapping her fingers against her arm rapidly to an unknown beat. She was sitting slumped on the couch, arms crossed, feet up on the coffee table. Although one of her favorite shows was on she wasn’t paying attention to it.

Justin watched her, studying her face as she let out a huff of annoyance whenever she heard Paul’s laughter floating from the kitchen. He bit his lip, trying to find a way to coax the information out of her without getting his head bitten off. Should he just talk to her about it? Should he bribe her with one of her favorite snacks? Maybe this was a situation best left to the girls.

“What’re you doing?” Mack asked, looking at him out of the corner of her eye as he grabbed the phone and started dialing a number.

“What does it look like?” He questioned, holding the phone up to his ear.

“Who’re you–?” She started. He held up his hand to stop her from talking and randomly looked around the room before someone picked up on the other end. He stared at her as he talked to the person on the other line. Suddenly he held the phone out to her and tilted it back and forth until she grabbed it.

“You’re welcome,” he whispered, noticing that she was fighting a smile. “You have any cereal?”

“Pantry,” Mack whispered back. “But don’t eat it all.”

He waved her off in search for the perfect cereal that would satisfy his growling stomach. He could practically hear his mother scolding him for eating so much, but it wasn’t his fault he was a growing boy. So what if his appetite got bigger? He shouldn’t be punished for it. He was about to walk into the kitchen when he heard Charlotte’s worried voice.

“I hope my daughter’s behavior didn’t hurt your feelings or anything,” he heard Charlotte say.

“No, it’s all right. My son is the same way with any woman I let him meet,” Paul replied, chuckling. The sound of clinking dishes and running water filled the otherwise silence. Justin crouched down and peered around the corner. The once occupied table was now empty. Charlotte and Paul were the only ones in the kitchen washing dishes.

“Oh. Are you divorced?” Charlotte asked, shaking a plate to get some water off of it before handing it over to Paul to dry it.

“No. I’m a single father. John, that’s my son’s name, his mother left after she gave birth to him. I didn’t want to give him up for adoption so I decided to raise him with my parents’ help. He’s hated any woman that I was slightly interested in. I think it’s because he’s waiting and hoping that his mother will come back one day. He’s been holding onto that hope since I told him the truth about what happened.” Paul sighed.

Justin knitted his eyebrows together when silence suddenly fell. He slowly peered around the corner and his eyes practically popped out of his head at what he saw. He backed away from the wall as quickly as possible; keeping his hand over his mouth in case he made any noise that would give him away. ‘Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. What do I do?’ Justin let out a breath and frantically paced the short width of the hallway, racking his brain.

Should he tell Mack what he saw or keep his mouth shut? Be a good friend or pretend he didn’t see anything? Should he run away to Mexico and change his name and grow a beard so no one would find him?

“Hey J, do you want to–?” Justin interrupted Mack’s question by jumping and screaming in shock. “What the heck is wrong with you?” She asked, eyeing him.

“Nothing! Nothing’s wrong!” He replied, forcing a smile. “I was just on my way back. I wasn’t hungry. I guess I ate too much for breakfast, which is surprising. Usually I can get a whole lot and then you’d get mad at me and call me a pig. You’re overdue for that you know.” He stopped when she gave him a puzzled look. “What?” He questioned, keeping the smile on his face.

“I was going to ask you if you wanted to talk to Brit before I hung up,” she said as she waved the phone that was in her hand.

His eyes shifted back and forth from the phone in her hand to her face. “Um, no. I’ll talk to her later,” he mumbled.

Mack relayed the message before hanging up. “Are they done talking yet? I want to get back.”

“Why?” Justin asked sharply, sliding to stand in front of her as she tried to get around him.

“Whenever I’m not back at home I have a feeling that Chris is going through my stuff and I want to make sure everything is in its place,” Mack replied.

“Don’t you think you’re a little too paranoid?” he asked, chuckling a bit.

“No, because I know that Chris is going to do it and I want to catch him. I know it’s him that always goes into my room. You and Joey don’t really ever go into it unless I’m there and JC and Lance know better than to just barge in. It has to be him.”

“For all we know it could be Lou,” Justin joked with a shrug. He flinched when Mack glared at him.

“Don’t even joke about that,” she growled.

“Ok, ok. Sorry,” he apologized, holding up his hands as if surrendering.

“Hey Baby Doll, I was wondering if you’d like to come to lunch with your father, Paul and I instead of going back to the house,” Charlotte proposed, coming into the hallway as she dried her hands.

“It’s all right. I’ll just get lunch back home,” Mack replied.

Justin’s eyebrow rose. Charlotte had briefly clenched her fingers against the dishtowel when Mack referred to the other house as her home. He looked back and forth at the two girls who were staring at each other, as if having a silent conversation in their heads. Charlotte sighed. “Fine. We’ll just meet you all at Lou’s house.” She turned and walked back into the kitchen. “That is, if your father’s not busy,” she muttered somewhat bitterly. Justin glanced at Mack, waiting for her reaction. He was sure they weren’t supposed to hear that.

“Why’re you looking at me like that?” Mack questioned, looking over at him.

“No reason. Let’s go find my Mom so we can get back. If we have to get to Lou’s by four I’d rather get the bloodshed for the bathroom over now.”

~*~*~

“Do I have to wear this?” Justin grumbled, tugging at the lapel on the jacket he was wearing over his shirt and tie. “I look like a penguin.”

“A good looking penguin,” Lynn corrected, kissing his cheek. He made a face, backed away, and rapidly rubbed the lipstick stain off of his cheek as Lynn chuckled. “Are you too old for a kiss from your mother now?”

“I’m fifteen, Mom!” Justin replied with an eye roll. “Fifteen-year-olds don’t get kissed by their mothers anymore. It’s uncool.”

“So you might as well let Lynn kiss you anyway ‘because you’re not cool,” Mack commented with a smirk, lightly slapping his shoulder.

“Ah ha ha ha,” he laughed sarcastically. “Remind me not get you a birthday present this year.”

“That would only give me a reason to give you a bad present like Christmas ’91.”

“Please, I wouldn’t want a repeat of that,” Lynn sighed. “Now tell the rest of the boys to hurry up. Lou has cars waiting for us.”

~*~*~

“Mom, are you ok?” Justin asked lightly grasping Lynn’s elbow and shaking it. She blinked and looked at him. Justin was sitting in between Lynn and his step-father Paul at the large table where everyone’s family was sitting. His dad Randall was also there with his step-mom Lisa and his step-brother Jonathan.

“Yes, I’m fine sweetie,” Lynn replied gently stroking his hair as he smiled a little. “I was just looking over the contract one more time. I didn’t want to sign before I looked at everything.”

“Lynn, I assure you that letting your son sign this contract would be the best decision of his life,” Lou spoke up from the head of the table, looking at everyone in turn. “These boys will be big…huge. You wouldn’t want to stand in their way.”

“Could you run this by me again? One more time? Why has my daughter been given a contract?” Philippe asked, tapping his fingers on the table.

“Essentially I want the boys to work with people they are comfortable with,” Lou explained. “This is why I’ve hired Johnny Wright to be their manager,” he continued, nodding at Johnny who was sitting to his left. Johnny nodded but stayed silent. He had observed the parents’ reactions since he passed out everyone’s contracts. He wasn’t surprised to see some skepticism on some of the mothers’ faces. “Robin Wiley I have hired to be their vocal coach. She has sung praises about the boys all ready and I wouldn’t want them to work with someone different, someone who could potentially change their sound.”

“And my daughter?” Philippe pressed.

“Actually, Justin was the one who approached me with the idea of hiring her as the boys’ choreographer,” Lou continued, ignoring Philippe’s tone. “She has been able to get the boys to learn the steps and perfect them in a short period of time. And, from what Justin has told me, she has taught before. She seems like the perfect candidate. I understand if you have any qualms about having someone so young working with the boys, but she has given me her word that her relationship with them during their scheduled hours would be strictly professional.”

“If they sign this that means they’re going to Germany, correct?” Philippe asked.

“Daddy!” Mack hissed through clenched teeth. “What’s with the third degree?”

“You’re not going around Germany without supervision. You’re only fourteen and your mother and I definitely can’t get off work,” he said, turning to her. Mack huffed and slumped in her seat, pouting with her arms crossed.

“Phil, you don’t have to worry. If they’re sending my son off to Germany then I’m going with him. He’s a minor; he can’t go by himself, even with the other boys being of age. I’ll gladly be her guardian while in Europe. She’s like a daughter to me anyway.”

“We can’t impose on you like that,” Charlotte spoke up.

“It’s not imposing. I’d be glad.”

“Do I get a say in this?” Mack asked, raising her hand as if she were in school. “Dad, Mom, please let me go. You said if I ever wanted to do anything, like really wanted to do something, you’d let me do it no questions asked, no holding back. Well, this is a great opportunity to improve my dancing skills and maybe meet some of the top choreographers of all time.”

“What about school?” Charlotte asked.

“Justin, Lance, and Mack would all get a tutor to keep up with their studies,” Lou replied. “It’s up to the tutor to put the rules on their work. If at any chance one of them has to miss a show because of a failing grade then it is their responsibility to get their grades up.”

“Although I’m sure nothing like that would ever happen,” Randall said as he stared hard at Justin who gulped and nodded rapidly.

“If everything has been covered,” Joey spoke up, causing the attention to shift to him. “Dad, Mom. I want to sign this contract.”

“Go for it, Joe,” Joe Fatone Sr. said as he clapped his son’s shoulder.

“C’mon guys, this is what we’ve been waiting for!” Joey said, noticing the hesitant looks on JC’s and Lance’s faces. Chris eagerly dove across the table to grab a pen and scribbled his name down on the contract.

“That’s one of five,” Lou announced as he took the contract that Chris was holding out to him. Joey quickly wrote his name down on his contract and handed it over to Lou. “Two.”

“JC?” Joey asked, leaning across the table to look hard at JC, biting his lip and waiting for a response.

“You’re treating me well so far…what the heck?” JC said as he held out his hand. Joey eagerly slapped the pen down into his hand and wrote down his name on the contract and slid it across the table to Lou. Chris, JC, and Joey all turned to look at Lance and Justin who were reading over the contract once more.

“I’m in,” Lance said with a smile before writing down his name.

“Now, honey, are you sure you know what you’re getting yourself into? This means that we won’t be able to go to Memphis as much as before and you’ll be working 24/7,” Lynn said as Justin held the pen over the line where he was to sign.

“I know, Mama. But this is what I want to do,” Justin replied. “I’ve been dreaming about something like this since I started singing. This is what I want to do. I’m sure of it.”

“Then don’t keep us waiting! Sign the damn thing!” Chris shouted down the table, smiling a little when his mother slapped his arm for using a ‘bad’ word.

Justin chuckled and scribbled his name on the line. Almost instantly Lou reached forward and yanked it out from underneath his pen, looked at all of them, and handed the contract over to the BMG representative, Jan Bolz.

“Welcome to the BMG family,” Jan said with a small smile as he paper clipped the contracts together.

“Robin has all ready signed her contract,” Lou said before looking down the table at Mack. The boys followed his gaze and stared hard at her, as if begged her to sign with only the use of their eyes.

“Please? Please?” She asked her Dad, shaking his arm. “I’ll be on my best behavior, always. I’ll listen to Lynn all the time.”

“Will you call at least once every day?” Philippe asked, finally turning to look at her.

“Yes, I’ll–?” She stopped in the middle of her sentence and grinned. “I can do it?” He nodded. “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You won’t regret it, I promise!” She grabbed the leftover pen that was on the table and carefully applied her signature and initials to the document before sliding it across the table to Lou, the smile never leaving her face.

“You boys need to be packed and out of the house by tomorrow morning,” Johnny explained, looking at a piece of paper. “By about…5.”

“AM!?” Joey shrieked.

“In this case it’ll have to be by four,” Mack corrected. He gave her a confused look. “It’ll take about an hour to wake up Sleepy,” she continued, jerking her thumb in JC’s direction.

His upper lip twitched slightly, a retort was on the tip of his tongue but he held it in, smiling peacefully, which earned a confused and frustrated look from her. He just smiled triumphantly before saying, “I’ll set an alarm clock.”

JC: 1 Mack: 0

~*~*~

“Joshua?”

“Yes, Mom?” JC asked as he stuck his head out the bathroom door. “What is it?”

“Your friends are going to be here soon,” she called from the kitchen.

“All right.” He closed the bathroom door and turned back to the sink. He picked up the clippers and turned them on one last time. After taking away the last part of his long hair, which he dubbed his MMC hair, and ran a brush over it, he stood back to admire his new short hair. He left the bathroom and bounded down the stairs and went straight to the kitchen where Heather and Tyler were putting snacks on trays to move out to the table in the backyard where the party was going to be held.

As soon as the groups went their separate ways to celebrate over a late lunch Karen, who had come down with his siblings for the occasion, told him that they were having a celebration part that night. “Mom’s got you working too?”

“Mhm. She wants everything to be perfect,” Heather responded before looking up. “Joshie, I love your hair. Did you just get it cut?”

“Yeah, I did it myself,” he responded. “What do you think of it, Ty?”

“It’s cool,” was his only reply.

“You should’ve expected that,” Heather said in a singsong voice. JC smiled a little before picking up a tray himself and ushering Heather and Tyler into the backyard to help finish setting up. He appreciated all that his mother was doing for them, but it wasn’t as if they had a record yet. The people from BMG could easily change their minds so the celebration didn’t seem as necessary to him. He welcomed the praise and support of the parents but sometimes he thought they went a little too far. In the back of his mind he knew that it could all come crumbling down but he didn’t dare bring down his friends’ optimism, especially Chris’ or Joey’s.

“I’ll get that, Mom,” JC told Karen when they heard the doorbell ring.

“Thank you, dear.”

He went back into the house and navigated towards the front door. He opened it and blinked, staring at all of the people who gathered on his front porch. “Did you all plan on coming at the same time?”

“No, it was just a coincidence,” Justin replied as he stepped through door, leading everyone in. JC smiled politely and greeted the parents before giving them directions to the backyard. Justin watched as JC quickly counted. Before JC could open his mouth Justin spoke up. “I called her as soon as I was leaving. She’s taking a walk with her Mom I think. She’ll be over soon.” He stared at JC. “You cut your hair,” he stated.

“Yeah, I just did it.”

“Why?”

“Well, it started to get annoying having to constantly move my hair out of my eyes every five minutes so I cut it. Why, is it bad?”

“No, it really suits you,” he said with a smirk before going to the backyard. JC rolled his eyes before following them. He hovered in the doorway that lead to the backyard, watching everyone talking to each other and laugh over a joke. Heather and Tyler were sitting around; talking to Chris’ sisters but one of Heather’s eyes was on Justin. She’s always been smitten with him; JC never heard the end of it whenever he left the place. He felt bad for Tyler being the only young boy there but he had fun with Heather so at least he’d be entertained. He spotted Lance lying down on the hammock underneath the trees. He hadn’t said a word when he came in, which was odd because Lance usually told him a completely random fact to keep him “educated”, as Lance put it.

“What’s up with Lance?” JC asked Joey over the snack table where Joey had a handful of cookies and was in the middle of stuffing one into his mouth.

“I don’t know. He’s been like that since we left Lou’s,” Joey responded, spraying JC with cookie crumbs in the process. “Sorry man.”

“That’s all right. But did he say anything? At all?”

“No man. I wanted to ask him about it but I decided to wait for him to come to us,” Joey shrugged. Suddenly a grin crossed his face. “Ah, there’s Hot Chick again.” JC turned to see who he was looking at. A blond, no surprise there. “My Mom invited her. She’s my Mom’s friend’s daughter.”

“Go man,” JC said with a laugh. “I’ll go check on Lansten.” He patted Joey on the shoulder and turned to where Lance was. He had to dodge a couple of the little kids who were running around, moved around the dancing couples, and avoided a run-in with a dog before he reached Lance. “Hey,” he greeted. Lance looked up at him as he leaned against the tree that held the top portion of the hammock up. “What’s goin’ on?”

“Nothing,” Lance replied, looking back up at the clear sky. “I’m just not in the mood to party.”

“Come on, man. My mom and dad put a lot of work into this. They even got Tyler and Heather to help.” Lance didn’t reply. “What’s bothering you?”

“It’s nothing, really.” He had an edge to his voice, which was rare, but it was also a signal that he really wanted to be left alone so JC complied, going to play keep-away with Justin and some of the neighborhood little kids.

Lance let a slow breath out through his nose. He knew he was overreacting, and over the smallest thing too. JC and Justin were his friends and they proved that many times. He didn’t know why he was still jealous of their close friendship; he was close with all of the guys. But their friendship was closer and Lance wanted that.

“Hey Lance.” He blinked and looked at Mack who settled down on the grass next to him. She pulled out random blades of grass as she let out a small sigh.

“What’s up?” he questioned. “Why were you late?”

“I was taking a walk with my Mom,” she responded, locking blue eyes with green. “Yeah, she’s kinda mad at me.”

“For what?” he asked, curious about what she said. From what he’s seen the two were more like friends than mother/daughter and they rarely got mad at each other.

“I was kinda…rude…when I met her business partner,” she replied slowly. “You can’t blame me, though,” she quickly added. “The guy was pretending he wanted to be my friend. I mean, come on! People only do that when they want approval, like he wants to date my Mom or something.”

“Well…what if he does?” Lance asked slowly, studying her face. “I mean, it’s not uncommon for people to chase after people who are taken, especially if they’re lonely.”

“Have you been watching Oprah?” She asked with a smile.

“My mom does,” he mumbled, blushing a little as she laughed. He shook his head. “I’m probably putting things into your head. I take it back. He just wants to make a good first impression.”

“Yeah, probably.”

“Hey, Shortie!” Justin yelled from across the backyard. “Can you throw me the ball?” He asked, pointing to the basketball that had rolled over to her. He shook his head, laughing, and walked over to them. “Never mind, I might as well get it myself. You throw like a girl, no offense ‘because, you know, you are one.”

“Ta gueule!” Mack shouted in French, throwing the basketball at him as hard as she could. Almost automatically her eyes widened and she slapped her hand over her mouth. Lance guessed by her reaction that it was a bad word, or phrase, that was never allowed to utter. She glanced at her mother and sighed with relief when it seemed as if she didn’t hear. “Dammit, Justin–”

“I’m sorry,” he quickly apologized, widening his eyes. “I didn’t mean it, you know that. Please, don’t be mad.” Mack’s lip twitched as she tried to fight off his patented ‘Timberlake Charm’ but it was proving to be hard. She let out a breath and nodded. He grinned and pulled her into a hug, kissing her forehead. “Thanks! You’re the best. Don’t…mention this to my Mom, ok?” Before she could reply he ran back to the basketball courts where Chris and Tyler were waiting.

“If you don’t mind me asking a question,” Lance started, gaining her attention, “why do you let him walk over you like that?”

“What’re you talking about? He doesn’t,” she replied, her eyes narrowing slightly as she turned to look at him in bewilderment.

“Yes he does. He always does that. He makes you mad about something and he charms you right out of being mad at him. He makes you stop studying because he wants you to play a video game with him. A few times that’s gotten you pretty bad grades on tests, if you don’t remember.”

“He doesn’t walk over me,” she denied. “He just…he knows I’m the only one who’ll do stuff with him. You guys are busy a lot of the time.” Lance opened his mouth. “I don’t want to talk about this anymore. I’m going to go find Heather.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you,” he said as he jumped to his feet.

“I know,” she replied turning around. “Just…don’t talk about Justin like that again, ok? He doesn’t deserve it.”

“Ok.”

The rest of the party went by without a hitch. A cake war between the kids erupted all because of Chris still being a sore loser over a basketball game against Justin and Tyler. After talking, eating, and playing a few more games everyone gathered together for a group prayer before going their separate ways.

Lynn, Justin, JC, Chris, Lance, and Mack decided to walk back to their home. Lance, Chris, and JC were walking ahead, talking about what could happen while they were in Germany. Justin was walking in between his mother and his best friend, holding both their hands, swinging their arms as he walked with pep in his step.

“I can’t wait until we leave!” Justin said with a wide smile.

“Now, don’t get your hopes up, honey,” Lynn said in a warning tone.

“Aw, Mama. Everything will work out fine,” Justin said as he squeezed her hand. “As long as I have the guys and my two favorite girls with me, everything will work out fine.”

End Notes:
The boys head to Europe in the next chapter! Please read and review.
My Lips are Sealed by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 11: My Lips are Sealed

 

Justin groaned when he felt something hit his face. He squeezed his eyes shut a little bit more when he felt a bright light close to his face. ‘Whoever that is, they’re going to die!’

 

“August 5th, 1996, early morning. We leave for the airport in about…an hour and they’re still not awake,” Justin heard Joey mutter.

 

‘That makes it so much better.’ Justin forced his eyes open and squinted when the bright light from his camera invaded his line of vision. Once his eyes adjusted he reached out a hand and shoved Joey’s camera out of his face. “God, Joe, way to be an annoying asshole,” he mumbled, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and yawning.

 

“For someone who’s all gung-ho for going to Germany you’re pretty cranky,” Joey commented, turning off the camera. “What, did you guys have a sleepover and not tell me?” He asked, looking at the scattered bodies on the living room floor. Justin had fallen asleep on the couch, Lance and Mack fell asleep on the floor, and JC fell asleep in the recliner. Only now he was half hanging over the armrest and half in the chair.

 

“No, we fell asleep listening to JC,” Mack mumbled from her position on the floor without opening her eyes.

 

“He bores everyone to sleep, you’ll get use to it,” Joey said as he grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet. “Wake up! Come on! Don’t you know we have to leave in an hour? You can sleep in the cars!”

 

“Ok, ok,” she groaned, rubbing her eyes with her free hand. “Our stuff is all ready packed. We just have to get it to the cars. We spent most of the night packing. Or, in JC’s case, talking our ears off.”

 

“You’re not awake yet?” Lynn asked as she bustled into the living room, her head tilted slightly to put an earring in her ear. “We leave in an hour. Get up. Up.” She started clapping her hands, causing Lance to flinch and wake up but JC continued to snore. “You need to brush your hair, your teeth, and eat something.” Justin merely grunted before shuffling into the kitchen. “Someone wake Josh.”

 

“That’s easier said than done, Ma’am,” Joey said with a small smile. “This is JC we’re talking about. He could probably sleep through a bomb blast.”

 

“Ok. Joey, you help get everyone’s stuff to the cars and I’ll wake up JC,” Lynn instructed.

 

Joey groaned when he saw the many bags and suitcase by the door. He then looked over at Lance who was trying to leave the room quietly. Joey raced over and grabbed Lance’s collar, pulling him over to the front door where the bags were. Lance groaned but went back and forth from the house and the car, carrying the bags.

 

“Hey look,” Lance said, nodding towards the back seat of a Rolls-Royce. Justin, who had just finished his daily bowl of cereal, moved over to where Lance was standing. He shifted the bag that was in his arms as he peered through the window. He grinned when he saw that JC had fallen asleep in the back of the car after setting up ‘his seat’. How Lynn got him to wake up was amazing but they should have known it wouldn’t last that long

 

“Do it,” Joey muttered, coming up behind them.

 

“No, it’s too mean,” Mack said as she shook her head. She paused. “Who’m I kiddin’? This’ll be worth waking up early. Do it. Do it.”

 

“And you wonder how we always got in trouble with my Mom, with you being so convincing,” Justin said as he carefully put a bag down on the ground. He kept his eyes on JC’s still figure as he slowly opened the car door. The driver, who was standing on the other side smoking, caught Justin’s attention. The driver raised an eyebrow and Justin silently brought a finger to his lips. The driver nodded and turned away, as if he didn’t see anything. Joey and Chris snickered while Lance and Mack held their breaths, waiting for Justin to finish his job.

 

Justin grinned while biting his lip as he held his fist over the steering wheel. He looked at JC once more before slamming his fist down on the horn. JC shot awake instantly, sitting up so fast he bumped his head on the roof of the car.

 

“Man, I totally got you!” Justin laughed, pointing at JC as he rubbed his head.

 

“Ha ha ha,” JC laughed sarcastically. “Remind me to kill you when I’m more wide awake.”

 

“You’re in luck. We’re done moving the stuff so we can go,” Lance told him.

 

“The one time sleep has helped me,” JC said with a sleepy grin.

 

~*~*~

 

“How much longer now?” Justin asked, rolling his neck to look at Lance who was sitting in the seat next to him. They had arrived at the airport twenty minutes ago but still had to wait about two hours to get on their plane.

 

“Still an hour and a half,” Lance replied, looking at his watch. “Why don’t you take JC’s lead and sleep a bit?” He asked, leaning forward to look at JC. He had laid his suitcase on the ground and was sleeping on top of it.

 

“I’m too wired to sleep,” Justin replied, tapping his fingers on the arm rest.

 

“So go bother someone else,” Lance mumbled, trying to return his attention to his book.

 

“You’re no fun,” Justin huffed. He placed his hands on the arm rest and lifted himself into the air, his legs still in sitting position. He entertained himself for a bit as he rocked back and forth in the air, looking around. Lynn, Lou, and Johnny had all left in search for their morning coffee while Joey took Chris to look at some of the souvenir shops. Having a hyper Justin and a hyper Chris in the same area was bad news. Mack was sitting across from Lance and Justin, reading a book and scribbling notes in a notebook from time to time. “What’re you doooo-ing?” Justin asked.

 

“Homework,” she replied without looking up at him.

 

“Homework!?” Justin dropped onto the chair with a thud. “Homework?” He repeated. “What in the world are you doing homework for?”

 

Mack finally lowered the book that was held up to her face and glared at him from behind her reading glasses. “Becauuuuuuse I don’t want to fall behind. I realize we still have a few days until this is due but I’d rather get it done now so I don’t have to worry about it later.”

 

“Wait until we get to the hotel. Do something with me. Please? Please?” He begged, sticking out his bottom lip. She silently stared at him, studying his face. She then glanced at Lance who looked back at her with raised eyebrows as if saying ‘I told you so’. She shook her head. Lance didn’t know what he was talking about. She pulled off her glasses and shut the book, sighing, as Justin cheered and jumped to his feet. “We’re practically the only ones here,” Justin observed, looking around the scarcely populated airport. “There’s less of a chance of us getting in trouble as long as we avoid Mom, Robin, Johnny, and Lou.”

 

“You all ready have a plan forming?” She asked.

 

“Not yet,” he replied, rubbing his hands together. “It has to be something good.” He looked around before finally resting his eyes on JC. A slow smile formed on his face. “And I just got it! Help me.” He moved as quietly as he could over to where JC was sleeping on his suitcase and slowly walked over to JC. He leaned close to JC’s face to make sure he didn’t wake up before motioning Mack over. He grabbed onto the handle of the suitcase and waited for Mack to do the same before pulling it a bit. They paused to see if JC had woken up before they continued to pull him. Lance watched them from over the top of the book he was reading, slowly shaking his head.

 

He sat in comfortable silence, getting through a large section of his book when Joey and Chris came running back, grinning. They started talking to Lance about this older chick that genuinely seemed interested in them. Leave it to Robin to ruin their “fun”. Lance chuckled as he closed his book, stretched, and looked at his watch.

 

“Hey, where are the twins?” Joey asked, referring to Justin and Mack.

 

“They went to play a trick on JC. They should be back soon. Our flight will be called in a few minutes,” Lance replied, putting his book back into his carry-on bag. “I still can’t believe we’re doing this,” he mumbled.

 

“I know, man! I’m so excited!” Joey said as he dropped into the seat next to Lance. “Music. European babes and beer within my reach.”

 

“I thought you had to be 21 to drink,” Lance said in confusion.

 

“Not in Germany.” Joey grinned. “That’s why I love the country. See, when you’re sixteen you can drink wine and beer and when you’re eighteen you can drink spirits.”

 

“Ghosts? You can drink ghosts? I knew Europe was different, but that’s crazy!” Chris jumped in with wide eyes. “I mean, I always thought ghosts went through you. Imagine what that would be like.”

 

Joey and Lance looked at Chris as if he had grown a second head while Chris continued to ramble. Justin and Mack came back, chewing some candy, and stared at Chris as well. “What’s he babbling about?” Justin asked.

 

“Drinking in a loose sense,” Joey replied. He then looked at Justin and smiled, lowering his voice. “Once we get to Germany we’re going to hit a club and have some drinks.”

 

Justin’s eyes widened. “Oh, cool! Let me come with you.”

 

Mack elbowed him hard. “J, you know you’re underage.”

 

“Not really,” Joey corrected. “Minors are allowed to drink in Germany as long as they’re under parental supervision.”

 

“And I’m sure Lynn would smack you sideways if she ever found out you’ve been drinking.”

 

“Who said that my Mom had to know?” Justin asked, looking at Chris. “Chris is technically an adult. I could drink in front of him.” He paused and stared at Mack, hard. “And I know my best friend wouldn’t sell me out,” he continued, his voice slightly threatening. He used his new found height to tower over her as she stared up at him defiantly. He was pushing 5’9” now and he was still growing. With Mack only being 5’2” he tried to use his height as intimidation as much as possible. “’Cause I know that my best friend wouldn’t want a pissed off friend on their ass.”

 

“Depends on the situation,” Joey jumped in. He and Chris laughed and high fived while Lance rolled his eyes.

 

“Um…what are you two doing?” Robin asked as she, Lynn, Johnny, and Lou walked over to the teens.

 

“Staring contest,” Mack and Justin replied in unison, not breaking their glare.

 

“Where’s JC? We’ll be boarding in a few minutes,” Johnny said as he looked around.

 

“He’s taking a ride,” Justin replied, smiling a little. “How long is this flight anyway?”

 

“About 9 hours non-stop,” Lou replied.

 

“Nine hours!?” Justin cried, whirling around. Almost automatically he squeezed his eyes shut and groaned when Mack cheered. “Nine hours?” he repeated. “Are you serious? I have to be on a tin can for nine hours?”

 

NOW BOARDING! FLIGHT 256 ORLANDO TO MUNICH, GERMANY. A woman’s voice over the PA system bleated through the air.

 

“Finally we can go!” Chris cheered.

 

“Not before you say bye to your parents,” Johnny said as he pointed across the airport. They turned around to see that their parents had gathered at the other end of the airport.

 

“Momma!” Chris shouted, jumping out of his seat and running across the airport and into his mother’s arms. His sisters, who had also came, started bawling as they pulled him into a group hug. No one was crying harder than his mother. “Don’t cry, Momma. I’m doing this for you and the girls. Don’t think I’m doing this for fame and fortune.” He let out a shaky breath. “I just want to make sure we’re all ok, Mom.”

 

“Christopher, we’re going to be fine,” his mother said as he held her tight. “Go and make your dreams come true. We’ll be rooting for you back here.”

 

“I love you, Momma. I love you all,” Chris mumbled, wiping his eyes. He glanced back when their flight was called again. He gave them another hug before sighing and went back to get his things. Lance placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled. Chris smiled back, picking up his things, and following everyone to the gate. He paused by the door to look back and wave before going down the long hallway that took them to the airplane.

 

He looked back and forth between his ticket and the numbers above the seat. He found his seat and dropped down in it, grinning happily when he saw how the plane was set up. Usually planes could only fit three people on the left, three in the middle, and three on the right. However, this plane was significantly larger so it fit three people on the left, five in the middle, and three on the right. Now all he had to do was wait and see who his plane victim would be. It was common knowledge that Chris could never sit still when they had to be stuck in a car for an hour so being on a plane gave him more options to annoy someone. “Yes!” he cheered when he saw that Lance would be sitting next to him.

 

Lance smiled weakly as he took his seat next to Chris. Sitting next to him would allow Lance to be entertained for a while. But he also knew that Chris would annoy him as much as possible just because he could and Chris always took the opportunity to annoy Lance. “Can you believe this plane? It’s huge.”

 

“I know. I’ve never been on a plane this big before,” Chris agreed, looking up as Justin slowly made his way down the aisle. “What’s wrong with Bounce? He looks sick,” He whispered to Lance.

 

“Oh, Justin hates being on airplanes,” Lance whispered back as Justin took the middle seat in the three-seater across the aisle from them.

 

“Why?”

 

“I dunno. But most people who hate being on airplanes are either afraid it’s going to crash or he hates the confined spaces.” Lance shrugged.

 

Chris leaned forward and watched with a small smile as Justin took slow deep breaths, his eyes sliding shut and he clutched the armrests so hard his knuckles started to turn white. He really wanted to say something about his fear but he held his tongue. He could get Justin another time, right now he had to focus on annoying Lance as much as possible during the nine hour flight.

 

“Ah, man,” Joey whispered before sitting down on Chris’s other side and JC sat next to Joey, next to the other aisle. “Not that I didn’t want to sit next to you, Chris,” he quickly added, “but I was hoping to get some sleep on this flight.”

 

“You’re not my target, Joe,” Chris said as he tilted his head in Lance’s direction.

 

Joey smiled. “Don’t bother him too much. We don’t want him to quit on us.” He then turned his attention to JC who was sitting with his eyes closed, letting out a slow breath. “Why were you late?” JC opened his right eye and looked at Joey. His blue eye seemed to broadcast JC’s annoyance, which Joey picked up on easily. “Ohhhh, J and M getting on your nerves, huh?”

 

“I don’t get why I’m always the butt of their pranks,” JC mumbled, closing his eye again.

 

Joey tilted his head in thought. He squinted a little before speaking up, “Did it ever occur to you that they want your attention?”

 

JC let out another breath and slowly opened his eyes. “They have a stupid way of showing it, if that’s the case.” He paused. “Although it would make their sudden behavior change make a lot of sense,” he admitted. “Justin wanting my attention doesn’t really surprise me. The kid’s been following me around since we met, not that I’m complaining. I kinda figured he’d grow out of it by now, seeing that he’s almost sixteen. But for Mack...” he shook his head, “that’s the confusing part. I don’t know why she’d want my attention since she claims I bore her to sleep.”

 

“That’s not really a claim, you’ve done that,” Joey pointed out.

 

“Still, it doesn’t make sense. Not for her.”

 

“It does if Justin is the one who convinces her to do the stuff he does, which isn’t so farfetched. Justin could easily convince her to jump off a cliff, so convincing her to pull pranks on you wouldn’t be so hard. Besides, she lives for tricking people.”

 

“So you’re saying that Justin is a bad influence?” JC asked with raised eyebrows.

 

“I’m not saying that. I’m saying…I’m saying that she easily gives into what Justin wants her to do. But don’t go off what I said, her reasoning could be completely different. She’s a girl and girls are confusion creatures.”

 

“Aint that the truth.”

 

“…please fasten your seatbelts and thank you for choosing to fly with Lufthansa.”

 

JC buckled himself in and sat a little straighter so he was able to look over the seats to check on Justin. He was clutching both Lynn’s and Mack’s hands in a death grip, eyes squeezed shut, letting out slow breaths. He was probably praying that they would make it to their next destination in one piece, although he’d probably separate their hands from their wrists by the time they land in Munich.

 

JC looked across the aisle and out the window as the runway moved by them at high speed before they tilted and were taking off into the air. It was then that the emotions hit him all at once: fear, excitement, apprehension, nervousness, and hope. Germany would make or break them, but it would also give him the opportunity to express himself in the one way he knew how.

 

~*~*~

 

Lance stretched his arms above his head and yawned as the plane finally touched down on the runway. He rubbed his eyes and looked around at his friends. They, like him, still looked sleepy but they had smiles on their faces.

 

Man…that flight was fun,” Chris said with a lazy smile as he stretched.

 

Lance fought to roll his eyes. “Only because you entertained yourself my bothering me.”

 

“I know. That was the fun part. That and getting Mack in trouble with the stewardess,” he added as he stood.

 

“Because of you I have my desert taken away for a week,” she said as she jabbed him in the side with her finger.

 

“So you can’t eat Oreos for a week, big deal. You’ll just have to find another addiction.”

 

“I’m not addicted.”

 

“Sure you’re not, fatty.”

 

Mack mumbled something in French before shoving her way past people to get off the plane. Lance turned to look at Chris with wide eyes but he merely shrugged. It wasn’t his fault the girl was PMSing, he was just poking a bit of fun at her like always. She just takes things too seriously.

 

“Chris, you gotta stop doing that,” Lance sighed.

 

“Why?” He asked, genuinely confused as he stood to grab his bag. “It’s not like I called her a bad word or anything. And I was just kidding; she’s as thin as a stick. It’s not my fault she has a stick shoved up her butt.”

 

Lance remained silent, slowly shaking his head. He grabbed his bag and started to follow Chris off of the plane but stopped when he felt that something was off. He looked around and laughed. JC was still asleep in his chair. Lance was sure the crazy landing would’ve woke him up but he was out like a light.

 

“JC. Wake up, man. You’re the last one here,” Lance said as he shook JC’s arm. “C’mon, Jace, you can sleep once we get to the hotel.”

 

JC finally stirred and blinked. He yawned and looked up at Lance before looking around the empty plane. “Dammit,” he muttered to himself before unbuckling and stretching. He grabbed his bag and followed Lance off of the plane. Once they reunited with the group they made their way to the baggage claim area. Once Chris saw his bag he ran and jumped on top of it, moving around the circle path as he made fake engine noises.

 

“Pretend we don’t know him,” Joey muttered when he noticed strangers giving Chris odd looks.

 

“Easier said than done, unfortunately,” Lance replied.

 

“Hurry and get your things. The limo is waiting,” Lou called, eyeing Chris as he went around the circle once more.

 

“Limo?” Justin repeated, his eyes lighting up. “We get to ride in a limo? A real limo?”

 

Lou chuckled and nodded. “Only the best for you boys.”

 

“The sun roof is mine!” Chris shouted.

 

“Not unless I get there before you,” Justin challenged before tearing across the airport, Chris close at his heels.

 

“We should’ve seen that coming. Now we have to carry their stuff,” JC suddenly spoke up.

 

“Make sure those two don’t share a room,” Joey groaned.

 

~*~*~

 

“Whoa. There is no way we’re staying here,” Mack whispered in awe as she looked around the 5 star hotel.

 

“Are we actually staying here?” Justin asked in excitement. Mack chuckled at his happiness. He gets excited over the smallest things. Seeing him there was like seeing a little kid in a candy store. Lou nodded. “Aww, yeah man!” He suddenly had a though. “I wonder if they have a basketball court.”

 

“Ok, room assignments,” Robin called as she walked over to the group. “Justin you’ll be with your mother, of course.” She paused and looked up at Justin who elbowed Chris who started to laugh at him. “Anyway, Justin will be with Mrs. Harless. JC will be with Lance; Joey will be with Chris, and Mackenzie you’ll be with me.”

 

“Can’t I room with her?” Justin asked, tilting his head in Mack’s direction and staring with wide eyes at his mother. “Please, Mama? What if she needs me?”

 

“I’m not a porcelain doll,” Mack growled.

 

“Justin, you don’t need to room with her,” Lynn replied. “She’ll be fine with Robin. Don’t you trust her?”

 

“Well, yeah, but…” Justin let his voice trail off when his mother stared hard at him, daring him to say another word. He bit his lip and tore away from his mother’s gaze.

 

“It’s for the best,” Lou said as he placed his hand on Justin’s shoulder although he looked right at Mack. “We don’t want you to be distracted.” Mack made a scoffing sound and crossed her arms over her chest but otherwise remained silent. “Ok, get to your rooms and get some rest. I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

 

The boys got their keys and went to the elevator to take them up to their rooms. As soon as the elevator doors closed JC’s feet started to ache, his eyes felt heavy, and the only thing he wanted to do was drop down on the bed and get some much needed sleep. The excitement of the day finally wore off and it left him tired and barely able to keep his eyes open.

 

Lance took the key from JC’s hand and opened the door himself. His jaw dropped when he saw how elegant the room was. It was the most beautiful hotel room he has ever seen. Two large lams were on the bed side tables. The beds were covered in a pile of pillows that seemed inviting. JC dropped his suitcase by the doo, stumbled over to the bed, and dropped face down onto the pillows, letting out a loud sigh as he grabbed a pillow and held it tight in his arms.

 

“I can see that you’re relaxed,” Lance laughed as he dropped his suitcase by the bed and laid down himself. “Mmm, these beds are so comfortable.”

 

“I knoooooooooowwwwww,” JC agreed with the hint of a smile on his face. Quiet settled over the two boys as they slowly drifted off to sleep. It was shattered by the sound of rapid footsteps, a loud bang, and a cry of pain. A second later the door that connected their room to the one next door burst open and two bodies fell to the floor.

 

“Aren’t these rooms awesome?” Chris asked, immediately jumped to his feet and ran over to the alge window. “Look at the view! This place is so cool!”

 

Mack glanced at Lance and JC who were still lying down on their beds. The serene look that was previously on their faces were replaced with a face of annoyance. “Hey Chris, let’s go bother J and let these two rest,” she called to him. “It is Justin’s turn, right?”

 

“You are so right!” Chris agreed, moving away from the window. “Come, let’s bother little Tim-Tim.”

 

“I’ll be there in a second. Go start without me.” Chris dashed out of the room and closed the connecting door behind himself.

 

“You’re an angel,” Lance muttered into his pillow as Mack sat down on the end of his bed.

 

“I honestly don’t get that enough,” she said with a smile.

 

“Don’t tell her that too much. It’ll inflate her ego,” JC called from across the room without opening his eyes or turning around. Mack stuck her tongue out at him and he flipped her off, as if sensing what she was doing. He groaned when the silence was once again broken, this time by his phone. “Could you answer that please?” He asked.

 

“Nah, I’d rather let it ring, that way I know it’s bothering you,” Mack replied as Lance chuckled.

 

“Pleeaaasseee?”

 

“OK, fine! Don’t beg!” She got off Lance’s bed and dropped onto the floor near his bag. She dug through the side pockets before pulling out his ringing phone and answered it. “Joshua Chasez’s phone, Mack speaking,” she chirped.

 

“Hi, it’s Nikki.”

 

“Hey Nikki. How are you doing today, Nikki?” Mack stressed her name as she watched JC waiting for his reaction. She expected him to jump off of the bed, eager to talk to her, but he stayed where he was. His breathing was slowing down and becoming even, signaling that he was close to falling asleep.

 

“I’m…ok,” Nikki replied slowly. Mack’s eyebrows knitted together at the tone she was using.

 

“Is something wrong? Do you want to talk to JC? I think he’s asleep right now but I can wake him.”

 

“No!” Nikki practically shouted into her ear. She chuckled a bit and cleared her throat. “No, let him sleep. You know how he gets when someone wakes him up. But, um, I would like to talk to you, if you have time.”

 

“Yeah, that’s fine. Just hold on a second.” Mack gave the phone an odd look, as if making the face at Nikki herself. Mack tiptoed out of the room and into the bathroom, making sure the door was shut and locked behind her before sitting down with her back against the door. “Ok, what’s goin’ on?”

 

“Look, I know we aren’t close and I wish that was something we could change. The small amount of time we spent together when you visited was something that I’ll cherish.” Mack scoffed silently. “I’m not lying,” Nikki continued. “I regret not getting a chance to know you, but the show ending and all…”

 

“Ok, I’m pretty sure you have something else on your mind otherwise you would have called my phone for this little heart-to-heart and not JC’s,” Mack finally spoke up.

 

Nikki was silent for a moment. Mack thought that the phone had disconnected. “I’ve tried to talk to JC about this but…something would always get in the way. His music, family, or something along those lines.” A knot formed in Mack’s stomach before Nikki could get the words out. “I love Josh…but I don’t think it’s going to work out between us anymore so I’m planning on breaking up with him.”

 

Mack was floored. ‘Nikki wants to break up with JC? And not even to his face? How can she do that to him?’ “Wh…why? I know it’s not my business…even though you’re kind of making it my business by telling me…”

 

“I know and there’s a reason for that,” Nikki continued. “I’ll admit I was going to ask you or Justin to break the news to Josh for me but it wouldn’t be fair to him.”

 

“Breaking up with him over the phone isn’t fair, either!” Mack cried out.

 

“I know, but it’s something that needs to be done. I just hope he’ll understand…considering the circumstances.”

 

“Just tell me that you’re breaking up with him because of the distance and not something stupid like you’re cheating on him.” Nikki’s breathing was the only sound on the other line. “Nikki…”

 

“That’s…” Nikki paused to try and keep her voice from shaking. “That’s…between me and Josh. I had to get this off of my chest. I’m glad he didn’t answer. But please, don’t tell him about this. Let me do this in my own way, OK?”

 

Mack groaned. ‘I’m going to hell for this for sure.’ “My lips are sealed,” Mack promised. “If you prolong this, it’ll only hurt him even more.”

 

“I know, I know.” Nikki sighed. “I have to go. Thank you for listening.”

 

“No problem. Bye.”

 

“Bye.”

 

Mack used her thumb to hang up the phone. She groaned and held her face in her hands. ‘What have I gotten myself into this time?’ She had a knack for attracting trouble.

End Notes:

 

I had a lot of fun writing this chapter and I hope you guys enjoy reading it. I have two one-shots coming up soon, one that I'm writing for MsTimberlake18 and one just for fun. Also, I have a new story in the works and I have a challenge up if you guys want to check it out. Please read and review! Reviews make me update faster.

 

What the Hell Just Happened Here? by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 12: What the Hell Just Happened Here?

“Please tell me that we don’t have to go to another airport any time in the near future,” Justin asked Lou before reaching towards his soda that sat on the table in between the two. Lou chuckled and shook his head, earning a sigh of relief from the boy.

“No. We’re staying in Stockholm because it’s where Cheiron Studios is located,” Lou explained over the loud techno music that was playing in the club they were currently occupying. “No more flights, I promise. Well, not for a while. Not until you guys get big.”

Justin smiled at the thought of being big in Europe. Lou had taken then around the city to look at the sights before they were shut in at the studio all day long. Afterwards, by Joey’s persuasion, he took them to a teen club. Joey and Chris immediately went to find someone to dance with; after all there were a lot of beautiful girls there. Lance went with them, only because he wanted to test if he could actually get an alcoholic drink while they were there. JC and Mack were at a store down the street to get a soda or something.

“So, when do we get to go into the studio?” Justin asked, his eyes shining bright at the thought of recording in an actual studio with professionals.

“Tomorrow, but you won’t be recording until next week,” Lou replied. He chuckled when he saw Justin’s face drop. “Don’t worry, I don’t want you recording for the first week so you can get comfortable with the producers and you know what direction they want you to go in.”

“I can’t wait a week,” he whined.

“Trust me; it’ll be worth the wait.”

Justin smiled and nodded although his eyes showed uncertainty. He knew he should believe the man; he has made them a known name all because of their Pleasure Island show. Justin mentally slapped himself for being a skeptic. He looked up when JC and Mack joined them at the table. “Where have you two been?”

“Do you know how hard it is to buy a freaking soda here?” Mack all but exploded, slamming the soda bottle onto the table.

Justin turned to JC with a questioning look in his eyes. JC sighed. “She’s just upset because she didn’t realize that they also spoke French here. Basically her fuse is too short to be patient with anyone who speaks a different language.”

“Stuff it, Chasez.”

“C’mon,” Justin said as he held out his hand to her. “Let’s dance, it’ll calm you down.”

“I don’t wanna,” she grumbled, sounding like a five-year-old. She suddenly stiffened as if something had touched her before jumping up, grabbing Justin’s hand, and dragged him onto the dance floor, shoving through the moving crowd.

JC scanned the crowd amazed by how beautiful everyone looked the women and the men. The dance floor was covered in blond haired people. Their skin was so fair that it seemed to reflect the colored lights of the club. He also couldn’t help but notice that most of the women were well endowed and didn’t seem to have a problem with it. Most women he knew who were also well endowed were self conscious about it, yet here they embraced it.

He chuckled when he spotted Joey, Chris, and Lance push their way onto the dance floor. They stuck out like sore thumbs as they each started dancing with a blonde girl. He was amazed how their dancing styles shifted depending on the environment. Justin was still the smooth dancer that he worked to be. Lance was still self conscious about the way he looked when he was dancing (only because he wasn’t as good as the others, but he was still working on it); it was Joey and Chris who stood out. Joey had a cheesy smile on his face, dipping his head every now and then to feed a cheesy line to the girl, causing her to giggle. Chris didn’t have to do much to get the girl he was dancing with to laugh at him.

JC tore his eyes away from the dance floor to look over at Lou who was staring hard at something, or someone, on the dance floor, a faraway look in his eyes. “Excuse me, Lou.”

Lou broke his gaze and turned to look at JC, flashing lights reflected off of his glasses. Lou chuckled a bit and stated, “I thought I told you boys to call me ‘Papa Lou’.”

“Ok, um, Papa Lou, um,” JC stuttered. “How long are you planning on staying here exactly? I mean, um, we shouldn’t stay out too late. We need some sleep after flying around a bit. Jet lag is going to set in soon and we’ll crash badly, especially the younger ones.”

Lou laughed a bit again. “Did Lynn call you to ask where we were? I told her that I’d look out for you boys.”

“No,” JC shook his head and cleared his throat. “She didn’t call. I’m just worried about the others, that’s all.”

“I appreciate your concern, Joshua.” JC winced slightly. The way Lou called him by his full name was unsettling, it sounded weird coming out of his mouth. “If you want to leave you can. You are an adult after all and I promise to bring them back before midnight,” he concluded, looking at his watch.

“I don’t know,” JC sighed. “I don’t want to leave Justin and Mack here. I know Joey will stick by Lance but those two could get into trouble they’re not ready for.” He looked at his watch himself. “I think I’ll just take them back with me.”

“Get some sleep, Joshua; you need to relax a bit.”

JC forced a smile and walked onto the dance floor, avoiding behind hit by arms that were swinging high in the air. His eyes practically bulged out of his face and his mouth fell open at the scene in front of him. He shoved the rest of the way through the crowd and reached out his hands once he was close enough. His finger and thumb latched onto Justin’s and Mack’s ears respectively before he turned and pulled them out of the club, the two screaming in pain the entire way.

“Ow! What the hell’s your problem?” Justin demanded, rubbing his sore ear that was finally released from JC’s grasp.

“I should be asking you that,” JC shot back.

“What’s the big deal? We were just dancing like everybody else,” Mack said as she rubbed her red ear.

“This is exactly the problem. You two are too young to be dancing like that,” JC replied, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring down at the two who stood I front of him, wincing every now and then.

“I’m fifteen thank you very much,” Justin pointed out.

“I’m almost there,” Mack added. “Just a month and a few days.”

“Yeah? Well, you two are acting more like you’re ten, copying everything that you see.” He scoffed. “C’mon,” he muttered, tilting his head to signal for them to follow him.

“Where are we going?” Justin mumbled, his face matching the shade of red his ear took on. He hated being yelled at, and being yelled at in public by his best friend was worse, even if people couldn’t understand what was being said.

“Back to the hotel,” JC replied. “You have a curfew, remember?”

“Don’t remind me.”

“Wait! I want my soda,” Mack spoke up. Her feet were planted where she was standing.

“Get another one at the hotel,” JC said as he turned to look at her. “It’s probably cheaper anyway. It’s probably free.”

“I want the one I paid for!” She crossed her arms over her chest and gave him a challenging look. JC grumbled under his breath before going back into the club. The two young ones stood outside in silence, huddled close together to stay warm from the biting temperature. The only sound was of their teeth chattering

JC came back out of the club, practically shoved the soda bottle into Mack’s chest, and directed them in the direction of the hotel. He kept his hands on their shoulders as if he were waiting for them to run away or something.

Justin and Mack let out soft sighs of relief once they stepped into the lobby of the warm hotel. It felt as if their cheeks were thawing. “I want to play pool,” Justin declared, walking past the elevator that JC was moving towards.

“Aren’t you going to tell Lynn that you’re back?” JC questioned, pressing the up button.

“You can do that while we go play.”

JC stared at the young boy, dumbfounded over the fact that Justin was starting to walk all over him. What was worse was that JC kept convincing himself that Justin was merely trying to get out of doing stuff he hated to do, such as reporting to Lynn whenever he came back from going somewhere.

“I think you should just go back to your rooms,” JC said slowly, trying not to sound like a scolding parent. “You can play pool tomorrow. Besides, J, Lynn’s going to give you a half hour until she’s going to make you go to sleep. Same with you and Robin, Mack. And you two are horrible at pool so it would take you hours to finish one game.” JC smiled to himself as the two groaned and complained but followed him into the elevator. The ride up to their floor was quick and they separated and went into their own rooms.

“Did you have fun, honey?” Lynn asked, pulling Justin into a hug and the two settled onto the couch that was in their extravagant room.

“Mhm,” Justin replied, resting his head on her shoulder as she ran her long fingernails through his hair. He smiled at the ‘massage’ he was receiving and curled into her side, suddenly feeling really tired. He let out a long yawn and Lynn chuckled, squeezing him a bit.

“Long day?”

“Yeah. Mama, the city is beautiful. Lou said that we’ll be going into the studio starting tomorrow but we won’t be singing until next week. He wants us to trust the producers first and have a feel for what kind of songs we’ll be singing before we actually start doing anything.”

“I think that’s a good idea,” Lynn agreed, gently rocking him like she used to when he was younger. “Remember, just because they’re older than you don’t mean that you can’t speak your mind. If you don’t agree with something you can always say no.”

“I know, Mama, I”–he yawned again–“I know.”

She kissed his forehead. “I’m proud of you, honey.”

“I know Mama,” he smiled sleepily as he struggled to keep his eyes open.

 

~*~*~

 

“Come in! The door’s open!” Mack yelled without moving from her position on her bed. She was hanging upside down, her hair lightly touching the ground. She lifted her arm and pressed a button on the remote, flipping through channels. “Heyyyyy, its Joshie!” She exclaimed, looking at him upside down. She lifted her other arm and waved at him as if signaling for help.

“You shouldn’t hang upside down like that,” he told her.

“Why not?” She questioned.

“Because all the blood will rush to your head and you’ll get light headed,” he replied. “Come on, sit up.”

“Yes sir!” She saluted him and swung herself up and onto the bed. She sat up and turned around to face him. She squeezed her eyes shut and brought a hand up to her forehead.

“Told you,” JC said with a smug smile.

“What brings you to my home sweet hotel?” She asked as she flung her arms out and let them drop onto the bed.

“Robin wants me to watch you,” JC replied. “She said she’d be back in about a half hour but she wanted me to make sure you actually got ready for bed like she told you to.”

“I’m ready,” she replied, bouncing up and down a bit, the smile never leaving her face. “I all ready changed, brushed my teeth, and my hair. I’m just not sleepy yet.” She continued to bounce up and down as JC watched her, an eyebrow raised.

“Why’re you acting so funny?” He asked, squinting as he crossed his arms over his chest. She shrugged and continued bouncing. “Did you eat or drink anything since you came in here?”

“Just my Sprite,” she replied.

“Huh. Can I see it?” He held out his hand and waited for her to give the bottle to him. Once it was in his hand he watched her bounce a couple of times before turning his attention to it. He opened the bottle and held it under his nose. He made a face before taking a little sip of it. The taste was unmistakable. “Damn,” he whispered, recapping the bottle. “Hey.” She turned to look at him. “Stop bouncing and get under the covers and go to sleep.”

“I can’t sleep until I pray with J and then I can’t sleep until I talk for a few minutes,” she replied even though she listened to him and got under the covers.

“Ok, fine, just let me call someone first.” He picked up the phone and dialed the number to Joey’s room. ‘He has to be back by now.’ After a few rings Joey finally picked up. “Hey Joe,” JC whispered, keeping an eye on Mack who was rapidly flipping through TV channels and giggling for some unknown reason. “We have a little problem.”

“What’s up?” Joey asked, concern oozing out of his voice.

“Well, somehow Mack’s soda got spiked with vodka and I think she’s drunk,” JC replied.

“What!?” Joey shrieked.

“Sssh!” JC hissed. “The soda’s barley been dented so she didn’t have much, but a small amount probably would have an effect on her.”

“Ok. Just…give her aspirin and water; she’ll need it in the morning. The only thing we can do is make her sleep it off. Oh, and don’t mention anything to Robin, Lynn, or Lou.”

“I was thinking the same thing.”

“She’ll be fine in the morning.”

“Ok, thanks man.”

“No problem.”

JC hung up the phone and dialed the number of the Timberlake room. He got Lynn who said that Justin had fallen asleep and she didn’t want to wake him up so they’d have to make up for it later. JC agreed, bid her goodnight, and hung up the phone. He turned to see Mack watching him.

“Talk to me about something,” she urged. “You’re an expert about talking people to sleep.”

JC ignored her jab and sat down on Robin’s bed, wracking his brain to find something to talk about. “Ok. Umm, are you happy about not having to go back to school?”

“Totally,” she replied. “I hated going to school I didn’t have any friends.”

JC blinked in confusion. “What’re you talking about? You had Heather.”

“Yeah, she was my only friend,” Mack replied, tugging, a loose thread that was on her shirt sleeve.

“You went to birthday parties all the time though.” His eyebrows knitted together.

She shook her head so hard her ponytail lightly slapped her face. “Uh-uh. I lied,” she replied simply. “People hated me at that school, the girls especially. Probably because I knew you and Justin and they loved you on MMC. They made fun of me every day, hung signs on my locker, pushed me down, and threw stuff at me.” She shrugged. “Heather was great about it, she got the same treatment out of association but she kept going like nothing happened. She’s the best friend ever.”

“Does anyone else know?” JC questioned. He knew the answer before it came out of her mouth. There was no way she would’ve told anyone else, not even Justin because she hated it when they worried about her. Alcohol did seem to have a thing about it that it made people say something without thinking of the consequences.

“Nope, just you and Heather. You Chasezs are special,” she said with a grin. “Usually I don’t keep anything from Justin but he doesn’t deserve that. I hate making him worry.” She sighed heavily and flopped back against her mountain of pillows.

“There had to be one good thing about going to school,” JC said slowly.

“The only good thing about school, besides Heather being there, was when Trace visited from time to time,” she replied. “Trace was like my human shield. Everytime he was around no one would say something so he made it a point to stick with me the entire day. What made it even better was that he and Heather got along really well.” Her smile faltered a bit as a tired look crossed her features. “I fell badly though. J and I just left him behind. He wasn’t upset about it, at least not as much as I thought he would be. He seemed cool about it but I know that he’s still upset about us just packing up and leaving him behind. That’s why I make sure I call him at least once every day.” She pulled her covers up to her chin and yawned.

JC noticed that her eyes seemed to light up when she was talking about Trace. “What do you think of him?” JC questioned.

“Trace is a great friend. I don’t give him enough credit.” She paused to yawn again. “I miss him a lot. He’s the type of guy I’d date.” JC looked at his watch again and stood. “What’re you doing?” She asked, suddenly alarmed.

“Leaving. Robin should be back soon,” he responded.

“Don’t leave my here by myself.” She pleaded him to stay by widening her eyes and sticking out her bottom lip. He sighed and walked over to her bed. She shuffled over to make more room for him and he sat down next to her. She smiled up at him as she settled down and got comfortable. “Sorry.”

“Hmm?” JC asked, looking down at her.

“Sorry,” she repeated.

“For what?” He asked in confusion, back tracking in his brain to think if she did or said anything to him that needed an apology for.

“Being mean,” she replied scooching closer to him so she could rest her head on his chest. She paused a bit, listening to his heartbeat. “Calling you names. Insulting you. Being sarcastic. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it,” he shrugged. “I get it a lot from my brother and sister so I’m used to it.”

“Am I like a sister to you?”

“Mhm. That’s why we worry about you so much.”

“Not just ‘because I’m a girl?”

“That’s part of it,” JC admitted. “It’s that, the fact that you’re younger, and we see you as little sister. We just want to make sure you’re safe and happy.”

“Ok.” She nodded a little before her eyes moved to something. “Do you usually get a hard on whenever you’re talking to your sister?” JC blushed and shifted, trying to hide what she had just noticed but it was hard. “Hey, can I touch it?” She asked, reaching out her hand. Before he could even move she had placed her hand on his bulge and gave it a squeeze. Every thought instantly cleared from his head as he bit his lip to keep the groan of pleasure from coming out of his mouth. He bit his lip harder as she massaged him through his jeans. “Can I see it?” And, suddenly, the voice in his head started yelling at him until it sounded like he was being yelled at in both ears.

JC jumped off of the bed, landing on the floor with a thud as his face flamed. Is she serious? It wouldn’t surprise me if she were; words were falling out of her mouth because of the alcohol. “I…you…n-no! Why would you ask that?” She shrugged. “Let me ask you this, would Justin let you see his if you were sober?”

“I wouldn’t have to worry about that, I’ve all ready seen his,” she responded, turning on her side and curling into a ball. “That’s what you get when you grow up down the street from him. Don’t worry, it’s not all that impressive but my opinion shouldn’t really matter.” She let out a slow breath and closed her eyes. “’Nighty night.”

JC stared at her as she drifted off to sleep. ‘What the hell just happened here?’

What Happens in Sweden Stays in Sweden by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 13: What Happens in Sweden Stays in Sweden

“Mackie? Pleaaaaaaase? Please? Please?” Justin begged.

Mack tried to ignore him but it was hard with him elbowing her in the ribs every few seconds. Also he was tapping his pencil against the table sounded like gunshots in her head. She used her free hand to rub her temples which were throbbing in pain. This was the worst headache she’s ever had and she still didn’t understand how she got it. All she knew was that it was making it hard for her to concentrate on her homework assignment.

“Justin! Stop! I’m not going to do your homework for you, ok?” Mack finally snapped at him, wincing at the sudden throb in her head. “Gosh, you’re making my headache even worse.”

“Ok, fine, don’t do my homework for me. I’ll just fail history and then I won’t be able to record and my hopes and dreams will be shattered because of you,” he said as he dropped his pen and crossed his arms over his chest. He studied her face waiting to see if she bought his guilt trip but it didn’t seem to be working. A slow smile formed on his face as he thought of a plan to get her to do the work for him. It was a low move, even for him, but the guys were waiting on him to finish his homework so they could go record. Lance had finished before them at least twenty minutes ago and Justin was itching to get into the studio. “Fine, don’t do my homework. I’ll just tell the guys how…frisky you were last night.”

Mack looked at him as if he had just told her that the moon was made of marshmallows. “What the heck are you talking about?” She asked a little afraid of what the answer would be.

“JC told me an interesting story last night,” he replied, a devious smile forming on his face as Mack squinted at him. “Seems like you got very handy last night.” She continued to stare at him for a few more seconds before her eyes widened at what he was suggesting. She opened her mouth to say something but he quickly interrupted her. “Let’s make a deal, hmmm? You finish my homework for me and I won’t tell the guys of your little episode. OK?” He waved his paper in front of her face and she watched it as if she were hypnotized. She closed her eyes and let out a sigh as Justin grinned in triumph.

“Fine,” she growled through clenched teeth, snatching the paper out of his hands. “I’ll do your damn homework if you keep quiet.”

“Thanks, Baby Girl,” he said with an affectionate smile as he stood. “I’m going to tell the guys that I’m ready. We’ll leave as soon as you’re done.”

Mack grabbed a pillow that was by her head and chucked it at him. He easily caught it and threw it back at her. He chuckled while stepping into the hall and pulling the door shut behind him. She was too easy to get to; Justin figured he’d be able to get her to do anything he wanted if he tried hard enough.

“You’re finished all ready?” Lynn asked as soon as he stepped into his room where everyone else was waiting. She squinted at him as if trying to get him to confess to something. He calmly looked back as if daring her to say something. “How are you finished before Mackenzie?” She finally asked.

Justin shrugged. “She kept saying something about having a bad headache…” he let his voice trail off as he smacked JC’s legs. JC was lying down on the couch in the room, watching TV. He glanced up at Justin when he smacked the older boy, sighed, and sat up giving Justin space.

“Is she ok?” Lynn asked in concern. Justin smiled to himself when he successfully changed the subject of the conversation to her.

“I don’t know, she kept mumbling something about how it was hard to concentrate. I think you should check on her.” He watched as Lynn got out of her seat and left the room. He shook his head and sighed. “Man that was too easy.”

“Did you just lie to your mother?” Lance asked, looking over at Justin.

Justin scoffed. “Heck no. Mom would have my head if I lied to her. I’m not stupid, I want my life. Besides, I didn’t lie. She does have a headache.”

“You don’t seem too concerned,” Joey pointed out.

Justin merely shrugged and turned his attention to the TV, but he couldn’t focus for long. The shows were all in a different language. He looked around to see if the others had noticed it (“They had to,” Justin muttered) but they kept their eyes on the screen as if they knew what was going on or understood what was happening. They even laughed at something that had come on screen but Justin didn’t understand what had happened and that made him frustrated.

It was as if they were leaving him out of something cool, like always. He hated being the youngest sometimes, even though he wasn’t the youngest in the whole group he felt like he was the one being left out the most. Mack had formed a different bond with each of the guys, something that Justin couldn’t understand or was willing to accept. She was his friend first; the others couldn’t just take her away from him. He wouldn’t let them.

“Whoa, J, what’s wrong with you? You look like you want to attack something,” Chris commented, looking over at Justin. That caused everyone else to look at him too. His eyes were hard and his teeth were clenched, his bottom jaw was sticking out so he looked like a pit-bull.

Justin’s eyes shifted to everyone’s faces and he pulled a relaxed face, or what he hoped was a relaxed face. “I’m fine. I’m just ready to go.” As soon as the words left his mouth the door opened again and Lynn and Mack came into the room. Lynn had a stack of papers in her hands and was looking over it, their homework from what Justin could see. He gulped and stared hard at the expression on his mother’s face before looking around the room. Unfortunately his only exit was through the front door, which was what they were currently blocking unless he wanted to throw himself out of the window but he wasn’t caught. Yet.

“Ok, you boys can go now,” Lynn finally declared as she paper clipped the papers together.

“Finally!” Justin jumped off of the couch and rushed to pull on his shoes. “Let’s go!” He was out the door before the other guys had even moved from their positions around the room.

“Someone ate speed for breakfast,” Chris commented as he rolled onto his back and rubbed his eyes. He sat up and flinched under Lynn’s ‘that wasn’t really funny’ stare. “Heh heh, sorry Ms. Harless. That wasn’t funny.”

“Glad we’re on the same page,” Lynn said with a smile as JC chuckled. She glanced over at Mack who was rubbing her temples with her fingers. “Are you sure you want to go, sweetie? I’d feel better if you stayed here.”

“I’m good, Momma Lynn,” Mack replied as she dropped her hands and smiled a bit. “I just need some Advil and I’ll be fine.” Lynn studied her for a couple of seconds before disappearing into the bathroom. “Why’d you tell Justin?” Mack asked, her voice was so soft and barely above a whisper that JC almost didn’t hear her.

“Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t he your so-called best friend?” JC replied with a trace of a snide quality in his voice.

“He doesn’t need to know everything about me.”

“You mean he doesn’t know every single little miniscule thing about your life?” JC placed his hand over his heart in mock shock. “Someone call the newspaper.”

“Asshole,” she hissed under her breath as soon as Lynn came over to her with a glass of water and two painkillers JC threw his arms into the air as if saying ‘I tried’ and followed the other guys out of the hotel room. She took the glass and the painkillers from her, popped them into her mouth, and took a long drink. She nodded her thanks and wiped her mouth with the back of her hands. “All right, let’s go. I think Justin’s about to blow a blood vessel from waiting. But I can honestly say it wouldn’t be the first time that happened.”

The two girls chuckled and followed the eager boys out of the hotel room. They took the elevator and as soon as the doors opened to reveal the lobby Justin jumped out of a lobby chair yelling, “Finally!” He turned around and grinned like a Cheshire cat when Lou walked up behind him, bidding them all good morning. “We’re ready to go.” Justin started bouncing on his toes. “What’re we taking to the studio? A Rolls-Royce? A limo?”

“Justin!” Lynn and Mack scolded him in the same time.

Justin immediately dropped back on his feet and blushed. “Sorry,” he apologized. “I’m a little excited.”

Lou laughed. “Excitement is a good thing, my boy. You should be excited, you all should be excited. I let some of the producers at Cheiron studios and they’re eagerly awaiting your arrival. They all ready have some songs ready that they want you to sing.” He smiled as he looked at them all. “The studio is close though, it’s in walking distance. So if you boys don’t mind the exercise–”

“Well, let’s go all ready!” Chris said impatiently. He walked next to Lou talking animatedly about being able to record in an actual studio and what their schedule was going to be like and what they should expect when they got big.

Justin couldn’t help but notice that Lou always used the word “when” not “if” whenever he referred to them getting big. He could practically see fans screaming their name, liming up to get autographs, coming to all of their shows, basically taking the time out of their lives to see him and his friends. He vowed right then and there if they ever got big he would do everything he could to let their fans know how much he appreciated their support.

“Whatcha thinking about?” Mack asked as she poked him in the side at the same time, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“What this recording session is going to be like,” he replied as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her to his side. He kept his protective grip on her shoulder as they walked down the street, looking around at the city around them. Joey kept glancing around, probably trying to see if there were any bars or nightclubs around. Joey loved the nightlife; it made everyone come alive to him. You could be whoever you wanted to be at night while going back to your normal work in the morning and no one would know a thing. That and he was sure it was going to be filled with a lot of beautiful women, such as the ones they passed on their walk.

“Whoa!” Joey hissed as his head followed a leggy blonde. “Did you see that chick?” he asked, nudging Lance. “She was very…whoa.”

“Joey, she’s a pair of breasts with legs,” Lance commented, looking at the woman who passed them himself.

“Exactly!”

Lance just chuckled and playfully punched Joey on the arm. Chris, not wanting to be left out, ran up behind JC and kicked him in the back of the knee, causing his leg to buckle. He grabbed Justin’s sleeve out of instinct which brought him and Mack down with him.

“Wow. Chain reaction,” Chris said while laughing gleefully.

“I’ll give you something to laugh about in a second,” Mack threatened under her breath as she checked her throbbing knee for any bruises. It was just really red and it hurt a bit. The fall brought her headache back which was starting to go away.

“Are you ok?” Joey asked as he grasped Mack’s elbow and easily pulled her to her feet. “Wow, you’re so light it’s no wonder you took a beating with that fall. Are you sure you’re not anorexic or something?”

“I love food too much to not eat it or throw it back up,” she replied, brushing off her clothes for any dirt as they continued walking down the street. “’Sides, I wouldn’t have the energy that I need to dance.”

“How’d you get into dancing anyway?”

As she told him the long story she occasionally would look around at her surroundings and would find herself glancing over at Justin who would scowl from time to time before turning to look at Lynn and ask her something. Mack tilted her head slightly in confusion trying to figure out what his problem was. Soon they had made it to the studio and were greeted by the doorman who nodded at them as they passed.

“Wait here for a few minutes, would you?” Lou said as they gathered around in the lobby. “I would like to speak with the producers a little bit before I bring you in.”

Loud smiled as they nodded, letting him know that they would be obedient. Chris sat down in his chair but only sat still for the first few minutes. After a bit he started tapping his fingers on the arm rest, then he started kicking out his legs so they made a thunk-like noise on the table, and then he started humming. He was sure he was about to get on one of his friends’ nerves when Lou came back announcing that the producers were ready to meet them.

“You ok?” Mack asked noticing Justin licking his lips and his twitching fingers.

“Yeah, just a little nervous,” he mumbled before following everyone down the hall. Lynn trailed behind them, looking at the many gold and platinum records that were on the wall. They were finally brought into a room with a large table and chairs surrounding it. Two men were sitting at the head, waiting with smiles on their faces. Johnny Wright, their manager, was all ready in the room.

“Hey Johnny!” Mack greeted him with a big smile and a wave.

“Hello Little Lady,” he chuckled at her enthusiasm. “Are you enjoying Sweden so far?”

She nodded. “It’s really beautiful.”

Lou cleared his throat and stared hard at her. She bowed her head and scurried to a seat in between Lynn and Lance. Once she sat down Lou spoke up. “Boys, this is Dag Volle and Martin Sandberg, also known as Denniz PoP and Max Martin. They are going to produce your debut album while Johnny is going to be the executive producer. They’ve produced many European hits, including the Backstreet Boys. They can make you as big as the Backstreet Boys, or maybe even bigger.”

Justin’s eyes slowly widened at the thought of being as big as the Backstreet Boys or even bigger. Since they’ve gotten to Europe the only thing he’s heard was The Backstreet Boys this or The Backstreet Boys that. He couldn’t deny that they were good, some of their songs were amazing even, and he desperately wanted to get to that level.

“We have heard a few demos of yours and we are blown away,” Denniz spoke up after Lou took a seat. “We all ready have a few songs that we would like you to sing. I understand that you have brought your vocal coach with you?” Robin nodded and smiled. “I would like you boys to sing a little bit for us, just so we know what vocal range you have and what type of voice you have.” He looked down at his notepad. “Let’s see…Justin Timberlake? Ah yes, Justin. My, you’re a very young boy. Only fifteen. Anyway, let’s start with you. Sing the scale please.”

The boys each took turns singing whatever scale he wanted them to and singing other sections of songs. After that he got them to sing a five-part harmony to see how their voices blended together. All the while Max was writing down their information on a notepad:

August 6th, 1996

‘N Sync Vocals:

Justin Timberlake, 15, Alto, *Two-octave range

Lance Bass, 17, Bass

Joseph Fatone, 20, Baritone

Joshua Chasez, 19, Midrange Tenor, *Four-octave range

Christopher Kirkpatrick, 24, Countertenor

“Like Denniz said, we all ready have a few songs lined up that we would like for you to try and record. If you would follow us into the recording room, please.”

The guys eagerly followed Denniz and Max back out of the room and into another room where the recording booth was located. A couch was resting against the wall closest to their right. To their left was the system board that the producers would sit behind and in front of it was a large glass window that held the microphone and a stool inside. As Lynn introduced herself to Denniz and Max everyone else took any seat they could get to in the room.

“Get your elbow out of my liver,” Mack groaned as she tried to shove JC.

“Tell Chris to get his hand out of my face before he pokes me in the eye,” JC grunted as he tried to shove Chris. Justin let out a yelp of pain when his hip was pressed against Lance’s, who in turn was pressed into the arm of the couch. Joey was the only one who didn’t go for the couch itself so he sat on the arm rest.

“Ok, the smallest one has to get up!” Lance finally blurted out.

Automatically all of their heads turned to Mack. “That’s so not fair!” She pouted and crossed her arms over her chest.

“You’re taking up the space we need, sweetie.”

“Don’t try and get off my bad list by calling me a term of endearment,” she snapped. “I’m not that much younger than you.”

“Would Fatso be better?” Chris asked dryly. He groaned in pain when Justin managed to elbow him in the side. “Come on…”

“You know what? Have your damn couch. We girls don’t need to sit. No, we can stand. After all, we’re just the lowly gender. Do you want something to eat? I’ll fetch it for you so you don’t have to get off your lazy asses!” Mack growled; finally get to her feet and successfully getting off of the couch. Everyone was looking at her. She blushed under their gaze. The silence was finally broken by Lynn trying to conceal her laughter.

“Momma!” Justin said in a scolding tone.

“I’m sorry baby,” Lynn said as she grinned. “It’s just…she has a point.” She then started laughing all over again while Justin looked at her in confusion. The confused expression on his face intensified when Mack started laughing along with Lou and Johnny. Denniz and Max stayed in their chairs. They weren’t laughing but they had smiles on their faces.

“What? What point? I don’t get it.”

“You wouldn’t.” Mack rolled her eyes and sat on the ground in front of the couch.

Denniz and Max, with prompt from Lou, broke the uncomfortable silence by playing a couple of the songs they wanted the boys to sing. A few of them bobbed their heads to the beat on some songs, a few kept thoughtful looks on their faces, and when some were played again they tried singing along with it. The one they all agreed on liking the most was one called I Want You Back.

“JC, Justin, we think it would be best if you two sang the lead vocals in the group,” Denniz announced.

“You two have the strongest voices that will get you noticed,” Lou added, nodding.

“If its ok with you guys,” JC said as he looked over at Chris, Lance, and Joey. They had been there for a few hours all ready and he could tell that all they wanted to do was to get some food and then go back to the hotel. It was dark outside all ready and he knew that the fading daylight was taking its toll on their moods.

“’Course man,” Joey replied with a smile.

“Have you heard yourself sing? You deserve it,” Chris replied.

JC blushed but smiled. Justin grinned and nudged him in the side. Justin knew that he had a good voice, he constantly reminded the others (of course he was only teasing), but he didn’t know it was good enough to sing lead. And he was singing lead with JC, his best friend, his older brother, his role model. If they had to pick one person to lead he’d pick JC in an instant. As Justin told him many times before JC could “out sing anybody in the whole damn world.” JC never believed anyone when they told him that. Justin just thought he was fishing for attention but he finally found out that JC truly thought he could be better than he all ready was.

“Thanks guys.” JC beamed.

“It’s getting late,” Lynn finally spoke up, looking at the clock. “We should be heading back to the hotel.”

“Whyyyyyy?” Justin whined.

“Because it’s almost your curfew,” she responded. Justin opened his mouth. “I don’t care if you’re in a different country or the time is different, you still have your curfew and that’s not going to change!” She said sternly. Justin closed his mouth and his eyes widened. Either because he was afraid of his mom or because she knew what he was going to say.

“See you boys bright and early tomorrow,” Max said with a smile as he shook their hands.

“Hey, Sleeping Beauty, it’s time to go,” Justin said as he nudged Mack with his foot. He looked over at Lynn when he felt eyes on the back of his head. She was glaring at him and slowly shaking her head. He sighed and crouched near Mack, shaking her shoulder.

“You might as well let her sleep, she barely got any last night, complaining about a headache and all,” Robin spoke up.

“She has a headache?” Lou asked, suddenly interested. “Is she ok?”

“Mhm, just a headache. It was gone for a while but I guess it came back,” Justin replied as he maneuvered her. He slid her onto his back and stood, hooking his arms under her knees so she wouldn’t fall. She rested her cheek on his shoulder and didn’t stir as he gently moved her a little bit. “She’s usually quiet or knocked out like this when she feels bad.”

“I hope she feels better soon. She’s your choreographer, yeah?” Denniz asked. They nodded. “She seems kind of young…”

“She’s the same age as Justin but she’s very skilled. She’s been dancing since she could walk,” Lou told him and Denniz nodded, eyebrows raised. “But he is right.” He looked over at Robin and Lynn. “If you could make sure she feels better by next week?”

“Next week? Why?” Joey asked.

“Denniz and Max want the first song to be recorded by then so they can release it as a single to see how you do,” Lou replied. “If it does as great as I know it will then you’re going to need to get choreography done to get your first video shot.”

“All ready?” Chris was a little skeptical about how fast everything was going.

“Yes, you’ll want to hit the scene fast and hard.” Lou smiled. “Don’t worry; I know what I’m doing. Like I always say, you’re going to be big.”

“Some of us all ready are,” Joey said to Chris. The two cracked up while Lance smiled.

Their laughter caused Mack to stir and squint her eyes open. “Whuz goin’ on?” She asked sleepily, blinking rapidly because of the bright light.

“Ah, she lives,” Justin joked. “We were going back to the hotel to get something to eat,” he replied as they filed out of the room. “It’s yours and JC’s turn to decide,” he added. ‘Please agree on something for once.’

“Hmmm,” JC and Mack mumbled in unison, thoughtful expressions coming onto their faces. They thought all the way down the hall, back down the stairs, through the lobby, and out the front door.

“Come on! I’m starving!” Chris whined.

“How about…” JC started.

“Pizza?” JC and Mack suggested at the same time before looking at each other. Lynn, Robin, and Lou kept walking but everyone else stopped and gaped that them.

“Quick, tell me I’m not hearing things. Did those two just agree on something?” Chris asked.

“Yeah,” Justin replied nodding. “That’s one for the record books.”

“Oh come on! Stop making such a big deal about it. That’s not the first time JC and I agreed on something,” Mack said with an eye roll. “I mean, it was probably a coincidence. I was going to say Chinese but I changed my mind.” She looked at JC. “What was your second choice?”

“Well, Chinese was first but I changed my mind too,” he replied with a shrug.

“Wait, I gotta test this out,” Chris said as he looked back and forth between the two. “Ok, favorite color?”

“That’s a stupid question,” Joey interrupted. “A blind monkey could tell that her favorite color is blue.”

“Answer it anyway,” Chris said with a wave of his hand.

“Blue,” Mack replied the same time JC said, “Orange.”

“Favorite Spice Girl?”

“Mel B,” the two replied in unison.

“What in the world are you trying to prove?” JC asked. “The world isn’t going to end over the fact that we like the same thing, OK? Get over it.”

“Boys? Hurry up!” Robin yelled over her shoulder, finally noticing that they weren’t being followed.

“Ok, you gotta get off,” Justin said as he stopped again after a couple of paces and knelt so Mack could slide off his back. He then kept a hand on his lower back and Mack slapped his arm. “Ouch!” he shouted. Hard. “What the hell was that for?”

“I don’t weigh that much you wimp!” She snarled.

“I didn’t say you did!”

“You’re insinuating it!”

“I’m what?” A genuinely confused look crossed his features.

“Wow, it’s a good think your mom is making you get tutored,” she mumbled.

“I heard that, Shrimp!” Justin slapped her arm.

“Don’t call me Shrimp, Brillow-Head!” She slapped him back. The others just watched in amusement, seeing who would win the argument. Ordinarily it would be Mack since she never backed down, but since Justin knew her longer he knew how to deal with her fighting and probably knew a way to win.

“Hey! Lay off the curls!” Justin said as he poked his finger in her face. She grabbed it and bent it backwards and he screamed in pain.

“Kids, knock it off!” Lynn called although she was hiding a smile that was on her face.

“Race you back to the hotel.”

“You’re on.”

Before anyone could say anything the two took off down the street. Justin had longer legs than her so he could cover more ground but she’s run cross country for a few years so she was able to catch up with him and get a slight lead. They passed by Lynn, Robin, and Lou who were chuckling at their childishness.

Justin suddenly skidded to a stop. “Wait!” he shouted.

“I’m not going to fall for it, Timberwimp!” Mack called over her shoulder.

“Not that, you idiot! We don’t even know where the hotel is!”

She stopped and stuck out her tongue at him.

 

~*~*~

 

“Ohhhhh mannnnn, I’m stuffed,” Chris moaned, rubbing his stomach.

“You would be, you ate practically two pizzas by yourself,” JC replied before taking a bite out of the crust that was still left in his hand.

The two were sitting off by the side of the pool table that was in the center of the game room they were in. Lance and Joey were playing against Mack and Justin. Their prize was bragging rights and the losing team had to do whatever the wining team asked for one whole day. JC and Chris were smart enough to back out of it but Joey wanted to take Justin’s cockiness down a peg or two and he knew that his only partner would be Lance. Mack was dragged into it because Justin claimed she had a good shot, which was proving true so far.

“Get out of my way, fatty,” Mack said as she poked Chris in the side with her cue stick.

“Make me, Smallfry.”

“No, win us the game first,” Justin replied, pointing at the colored balls on the table.

“She can’t make that shot, it’s practically impossible,” Joey said as he shook his head.

“Don’t underestimate me,” Mack said as she knelt and looked really close at the table. She walked around it a couple more times before sighing and lining up her cue stick with the white ball. She brought back her cue stick and was about to hit the ball when they were all plunged in darkness.

“Aww, man!” Justin whined in the darkness.

“Chris, what did you do?” JC demanded.

“I didn’t do anything!” Chris replied in shock. “God, why do I always get blamed for stuff?”

“’Cause your name is Chris Kirkpatrick.”

“Merde,” Mack cursed under her breath in French as she tried to control her breathing. She hated the dark. She’s always hated the dark. She wasn’t afraid of the dark itself, it was what could be in it was what scared her.

Justin waved his arms in front of his face, trying to find Mack. He knew how much she hated the dark. Was she ok? She wasn’t saying anything. Did she faint? Is she hiding? Did something happen? He brushed someone’s hand and they jumped. He grasped it and leaned forward slightly. The smell of vanilla hung in the air. That’s what Mack’s hair smelled like. “You ok, Mackie?” He asked, softly squeezing her hand to let her know he was there.

“I’ve been better,” she admitted.

“Why’d the lights go out?” Chris asked.

“If we knew that the lights would be back on, wouldn’t they?” JC asked.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.”

“No, someone woke up period,” Joey corrected.

“Oh, hold on.” Justin fumbled for his ringing phone in the darkness and brought it up to his ear. “Yeah?...Hey Momma…yeah, we’re still in the game room…mhm….mhm…she’s fine…yeah…ok.” He hung up the phone. “Momma says the power is out in the whole hotel and we should stay where we are until the lights come back on.”

“How long will that take?” Chris asked.

“Could be hours,” Lance replied.

“That’s too long.”

“So we’ll play a game,” Justin suggested.

“What kind of game?” Joey asked.

“A truth game. Trace, M, and I play it all the time its fun. Sit in a circle.” Justin laughed to himself when he heard the other guys grunting and complaining as they tried to sit down in a circle. “Ok, everyone here?” He asked in the darkness.

Suddenly his eyes were filled with light. He slammed his eyes shut until the light was taken away from his eyes. “Sorry,” Lance apologized as he sat down; a lit flashlight was in his hands. “I saw this on our way in,” he explained to their confused faces. “So what’s this game?”

“All you do is go around the circle and confess to something that you’ve done; something that you’ve seen someone do but never repeated, an embarrassing moment, and stuff like that,” Justin explained. “But in this case, to make it more interesting, the person who says something has to pick someone else and then they pick someone else after they’ve answered. You have to answer honestly, I’ll find out if you don’t.”

“Ok, who goes first?” Joey asked.

“Ladies first,” Justin replied, lightly slapping Mack’s shoulder.

“Joy,” she uttered sarcastically. “Ummm…oh, I used to hate Santa Claus until I was ten,” she replied.

“You were afraid of Santa until you were ten?” Chris repeated.

“No, I hated him. There’s a difference.”

“Why?” Lance asked.

“Would you want a man coming down your chimney and break into your house to do God knows what?” She replied with a raised eyebrow. Lance shrugged. She had a point. It was kind of weird believing in a man that technically breaks into your house and eats your cookies and drinks your milk. “Anyway, Joey you go.”

“Ok. Ummm...I regifted a ring I gave Kelly a few years ago,” Joey admitted turning red. Everyone’s eyes got wide.

“Are you stupid?” Mack finally asked.

“Apparently. Everyone knows you’re not supposed to give a girl jewelry after you all ready gave it to someone else!” Chris agreed, lightly smacking the back of Joey’s head.

“Does she know?” Lance asked.

“He’s alive isn’t he?”

“No, she doesn’t know, and she’s not going to know because I’m going to replace it with a better ring,” Joey said as he glared at everyone as if daring them t say something to Kelly.

“Replace it with what?” Mack asked,

“An engagement ring, probably.”

“Wait, what?”

“Oh, she doesn’t know about ‘the plan’,” Justin said with finger quotes. “Kelly and Joey have been together for about two years so far. They’re testing to see how long they can stand each other, basically. If they can date for ten years they’re going to get married.”

“I still think that’s stupid,” Chris muttered.

I think it’s a good idea, Joey,” Mack said as she cut her eyes at Chris who rolled his. “Ok, Joey, you choose now.”

The game went on with them spilling as many embarrassing or undisclosed stories they could think of or they felt would eventually get out anyway because of the ones involved. Such as Lance accidentally ripping the back of his Homecoming date’s dress open during a line dance, JC successfully blaming the writing on the wall in his house on Tyler who wasn’t able to write a complete sentence at the time, Chris getting sung happy birthday to in the middle of a date by his mother and sisters (whom the date thought were ex-girlfriends), and Justin having gone out with a girl and not knowing her name for weeks.

When they weren’t asking each other questions from time to time they would gang up on Mack. Their intentions were good, so they claimed. They just wanted to get to know her better, yet she saw it as a way for them to make fun of her simply because she was the only girl and the youngest and it came with the territory of having five “older brothers”. She eventually had them all laughing by the ways she managed to get out of trouble for one ridiculous reason or another.

“Aww, man,” Justin whined when the lights flickered back on, causing them all to groan.

“What’s so bad about the lights coming back on? Now we can shower and watch TV,” Lance commented.

“Now I have to go to bed,” Justin replied with an eye roll. “You too, youngster,” he added, nudging Mack who was chuckling. She stopped laughing as soon he called her ‘youngster’. “You’re lucky the lights came back on, you missed your last turn.”

“Aww, what a shame.” She smiled innocently and walked out of the room. She sighed with relief and rubbed her forehead. It would only be a matter of time until they realize that she was making up half of her stories just so they wouldn’t get closer to the real secret she’s been keeping. Ever since she intercepted Nikki’s call for JC she’s been on edge and did anything she could to make sure a conversation never went her way, which was why she amped up her sarcasm/teasing. When it got closer to JC’s birthday she started to panic as she tried to figure out what to do. She couldn’t just tell him on his birthday, she had more tact than that but she was running out of time. There were only a few hours left in that day and she still hadn’t thought of a way to tell him in a way that he’d believe her instead of thinking she made it up or, worse, thought she was jealous of the two.

‘Cause she wasn’t.

“And you call me the spacey one?” Mack blinked and looked up at JC who fell into step with her. She looked back over her shoulder to see where the others went. “They’re arguing over who won the game or not,” he supplied as if reading the question that was on her mind.

“You gotta stop doing that,” she muttered, slightly freaked out. “Did you want something?” She asked, lifting an eyebrow.

“Yeah, I wanted to talk,” JC replied, blushing slightly. “About what happened last night.”

“Whoa there, Cowboy,” Mack interrupted as she raised her hands as if blocking whatever he was going to say. “Nothing happened. I got drunk, and that wasn’t my fault so don’t go telling Robin, or worse, Lynn about what happened…’cause nothing happened. Nothing can happen between us, I’m fourteen, almost fifteen, and you turn twenty tomorrow. Let’s just forget it.”

“Um…ok, but that’s not the only thing I wanted to talk about.” He paused to jab the elevator button with his thumb and shoved his fists into his pockets and rocked back and forth on his feet. “Look, we’re going to, inevitably, spend a lot of time together, you being our choreographer and all. I don’t want to spend the entire time arguing.”

“I’m not going to change who I am for you,” she started, “but I’ll tone it down. If I disagree with you on something I will say it, if you haven’t figured it out yet I’m very opinionated.”

“I noticed,” he replied, chuckling a bit as he stepped into the elevator. “Are you ok? Something on your mind?”

‘Why don’t you just send me in for interrogation at a police station?’ “Nope,” she replied, lying through her teeth.

It was times like this she hated how she always ended up being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

She guessed she had a knack for it, now she thinks God hates her to an extent.

The (Angry) Lion Sleeps Tonight by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 14: The (Angry) Lion Sleeps Tonight

“Ok, so what’re we going to do?” Mack asked, jumping up and down on the bed.

“About what?” Justin asked, distracted, as he flipped the channels on the TV. The two really should’ve been asleep but Lynn let them stay up a little bit because Justin was expecting a call from his step-dad, Paul Harless.

Lynn was sitting under the covers of her bed, reading a book as she waited. She didn’t seem bothered whenever Mack would jump back and forth from her bed to Justin’s, jostling them both. Mack was like the daughter she never had and she knew that it was inevitable that she would end up picking up on Justin’s and Trace’s habits so she kept her mouth shut.

Mack took a large bite out of the Toblerone bar that was in her hand before bouncing back over to Justin’s bed. He kept his chin propped up by his hand, keeping his other arm pointed straight out so he could change channels better. He put the remote down and sighed when Mack sat on his lower back. “Ok, you have my undivided attention,” he announced. “What’re we going to do about what?”

“JC’s birthday,” she replied, taking another bite out of the candy and chewing rapidly. “I mean it’s…” she paused to look at the clock, “…in thirty minutes and no one has said anything about a plan for a party.” She paused to swallow the chunk she had been chewing. “I mean, you wouldn’t want him to think you’re bad friends, would you?”

“We don’t have time to plan a party in one day, half a day, really,” Justin pointed out.

“I can do it. I’ve planned a party in thirty minutes once, and that turned out great.”

“Yeah, if Trace were eighty years old.” Justin rolled his eye.

“I didn’t hear him complaining.”

“Not to your face.” Mack lightly smacked him on the back of the head as he chuckled. Lynn chuckled quietly as he rubbed the sting off of his head. “I’m not saying it’s impossible, Boo, I’m just saying that it will be hard.” He paused. “Since when do you want to do stuff for JC anyway? I thought you two hated each other.” He went back to flipping channels.

Mack just kept her mouth shut. There was no point in trying to get any of them to understand her relationship with JC. No, her friendship with JC. It was a weird one, she’ll admit, but it made sense to her. She wasn’t going to get along with everyone she met, especially since she was so headstrong, but they were alike in many ways too. As long as she understood their friendship, that was all that mattered.

“Lynn, you’ll help me, right? We can go shopping while the guys are at the studio. It shouldn’t be too hard to find stuff for a party here. I mean, I’ll bet if we explain this to Mr. Pearlman he’ll send a translator with us,” Mack said as she turned to the woman who had been listening to their conversation. “Or, if they speak French, I can translate. What do you think?”

“I think that’s a great idea,” Lynn replied, putting her book down on her lap. “Do you have a theme in mind?”

“JC’s twenty! He wouldn’t want a themed birthday party!” Justin jumped in.

“Everyone likes themed parties,” Mack replied. “Now let’s see…how about a…” she suddenly snapped, causing Justin to jump a bit. “How about a Lion Sleeps Tonight party?”

“What the hell?” Justin questioned.

“Justin Randal!!”

“Sorry Momma,” he quickly apologized. “I mean what in the world? A Lion Sleeps Tonight party? How in the world are you going to pull that off?”

“Have some faith in me, for once in your life.”

Justin just looked at her in confusion, trying to find out what it was that suddenly made her ticked off. It couldn’t have been something he said, right? He looked over at his mother, silently asking for some clarification. Lynn merely shrugged and responded with a look that said “fix it on your own”.

Before anyone could say anything there was a knock on the door. Mack jumped off of Justin’s back––ignoring his cry of pain––and bounced over to the door. She pulled it open and frowned when she saw Robin standing on the other side. “Time for bed, kiddo,” Robin told her with a tiny smile.

“Aww,” Mack sighed. “Ok. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” Lynn and Justin called back in unison.

“Momma?” Justin asked, turning off the TV.

“Yes?”

“Will I ever understand girls?”

“Never.”

“That’s what I thought.”

~*~*~*~

“Honey, you have to stop eating those things,” Lynn said the next morning. She was looking at Mack through the mirror in the bathroom, shaking her head when she took another bite of the peak of the Toblerone bar that was in her hand.

“They don’t have any Oreos here, I need to make a substitution,” she replied with a full mouth.

“Sometimes I think it was a bad idea to introduce you to Justin,” Lynn said with a chuckle. “You’ve picked up a lot of his habits.”

“It’s not my fault all of the girls in Memphis are a buncha wimps,” she replied with a shrug. “Besides, I have more fun hanging out with the guys.”

Lynn couldn’t deny that her statement was true. Back at home when they were younger every time she’d look out the window she would see Trace, Justin, and Mack tearing across the backyard and towards the woods. Trace and Justin would be running ahead of her, yelling, and making fun of her for being slower. She, in turn, would yell at them back and run faster, starting the race that they almost always seemed to get into.

Mack was never good at making friends with girls. She thought they were strange because they wore skirts and dresses all of the time while she preferred to wear pants and shorts because it was easier for her to move around in. She could hit a ball further than most guys and could keep up with them whenever they played a game. Even thought football wasn’t her strong point she could tackle with the best of them and run fast enough to beat them to the end zone, if she didn’t have to catch a ball, that is.

Lynn couldn’t help but wonder if the only reason she was around boys a lot was because she didn’t have an older sister to look up to or a mom to really teach her the ways of being a girl. Charlotte’s job caused her to be at the office a lot and to travel many times in one year. She was surprised Mack had any chance to talk to her mother at all. She never seemed to affected by her traveling mother, they were always seen together as soon as she came back to the States and they talked on the phone every day, but there was just something off about their relationship and Lynn couldn’t put her finger on it.

Maybe that’s why she decided to look after the young girl herself as she got older. She needed some womanly guidance and if Charlotte wasn’t there to do it, Lynn was next in line. Mack was like the daughter she never had and always wanted. Mack knew how to get Trace and Justin to stay in line, but sometimes she found herself on the other side of it, in trouble just like them.

Lynn smiled as she packed up her purse and got ready to leave the hotel in search for birthday supplies. She was proud of her honorary daughter, she always put people before herself, it’s probably the main reason she stuck by Justin and Trace for so long. As quickly as her smile appeared it faded, thinking about his son’s and his friend’s friendship. Over the years it started to become clear to Lynn that Justin was slowly taking advantage of her, weather they knew it or not. Mack was always one to please people and she knew that was what she was doing whenever she helped Justin, but Justin was slowly starting to cross the line. She couldn’t say anything about it, they’re fifteen after all, and they had to learn to fix their own mistakes, right?

“Momma Lynn!” Mack called from down the hall. Lynn smiled at the name and picked up her pace a bit, to catch the elevator that had just arrived. “You know, I’m surprised,” she continued when the elevator doors slid shut. “How’d you manage to get out of J’s clutches?” She had a teasing smile on her face and Lynn lightly slapped her on the arm.

“A better question is how you managed to get away with not going to the studio. Justin was whining about it all day,” Lynn replied as the bell dinged, signaling that they had made it to the ground floor.

“It wasn’t easy. I had to promise him I’d help him study for a History test, even though he and I both know he doesn’t study, he whines. All the freaking time.”

“You know he only does that to get your attention, right?”

“Lynn! Not you too.”

Lynn merely smiled.

 ~*~*~*~

Justin looked around the room. The quiet room. They were in the studio and they were quiet. The silence was getting on his nerves. He had to do something. Anything. But he knew he couldn’t. He could see it on everyone else’s faces. They were worried about JC; he hadn’t said anything to them since they woke up that morning. He promptly fell back asleep in the car on the way to breakfast (Lance wanted to try some Swedish food) and had sat down and stayed quiet as soon as they had gotten into the studio.

All of them wanted to say something to him but they didn’t know what to say. He just looked up whenever Denniz, Max, Lou, or Johnny said something, only spoke when he was spoken to. Afterwards he promptly shut up and it was ticking Justin off.

“Will you please say something?” He finally shouting, stopping Chris in the middle of a story about a gorilla and orange paint.

JC lifted his head and looked at Justin as if he had just grown a second head. “What?” He finally asked his voice soft and slightly hoarse.

“I can’t take the silence. Why aren’t you saying anything?” Justin demanded.

“Is it a rule? Do I have to talk? Believe it or not I have nothing to say,” JC replied with a trace of irritation in his voice. He was having a bad day so far and he really didn’t want to talk about it. But Justin, as usual, had to butt into the situation. He knew that Justin was trying to look out for him, but he didn’t need a fifteen-year-old to do it.

“You always have something to say. You’re…you. You have to comment on everything. Even though it’s annoying, I’m starting to miss it.”

“Thank…you?”

“Oh…you know what I mean!”

JC’s face didn’t change but his eyes lit up and Justin could tell he changed his friends’ mood, even if it was a little bit. Justin turned his attention back to the crossword puzzle that Lance and Chris were trying to figure out. Even though it was in Swedish they were giving it a shot and coming up with weird results.

“Ok, this one is…diaper!” Chris shouted, pointing at a blank.

“Diaper?” Lance repeated, raising his eyebrows.

“It’s in Swedish! How am I going to know what the heck the answer is?” Chris asked in defense. “Just put it down anyway.”

“Well, this is a crossword puzzle I’d like to show my mom…diaper, candlestick, toothpaste, gum, car, and slime,” Lance muttered sarcastically as he wrote in the word.

JC chuckled a bit from his chair as he listened to them arguing over what word to put in a space. It was amazing how being around them easily turned his crappy day into an amazing birthday.

He knew as soon as he woke up it would be a pretty bad day. His head was pounding from Chris and Justin bursting into his room in the middle of the night, yelling something about mutant chickens. Then, to top it off, Nikki broke up with him over the phone. He didn’t even pick up the phone. She broke up with him over a message. A short message at that.

JC, I just wanted to see how you’re doing. Umm, I know it’s your birthday but…I don’t think we’re going to work. Good luck with your album. Peaches.”

Good luck with your album.

That was it. That was all she said. She didn’t even have the decency to give him an explanation about why she wanted to break up with him. Then, to top it all off, they guys didn’t even say happy birthday to him. Not one, not even Justin whom he thought cared the most, and that hurt. They have only been with each other for about a year but they never forgot each other’s birthday. JC was pretty livid about his whole day, choosing to stay quiet and stew in his misery and anger quietly. But it immediately vanished when Justin came in with a bright smile and excitement radiating off of him like, well, a radiator.

“Ok boys, are you ready to sing?” Lou asked as he clasped his hands together and rubbed them.

“We can’t sing yet,” Justin replied.

“Why not?”

“Mack’s not here.”

“You need your girlfriend around to sing?” Chris snickered.

Justin huffed. “She’s not my girlfriend, ok? And I just thought she’d want to be here to watch us make history, excuse me.”

“She went shopping, I think,” Lance spoke up.

“Shopping? Her?”

“Yeah, she and shopping don’t go together in one sentence,” JC agreed. “Who’d she go with?”

“Lynn of course. Robin has to stay here and I’m pretty sure she doesn’t want to go shopping with Lou or Johnny,” Lance replied without looking up from the newspaper in his hand. “’Sides, she said something about getting help on Algebra.”

“How do you know this and we don’t?” Justin demanded. Lance raised his eyebrows. He detected jealousy in Justin’s voice. Lance knew better than to call him out for it.

“Do you need to keep tabs on her or something? She’s a person, not a dog,” Lance replied. “And she just supplied the information, it’s not like I interrogated her.” Lance chuckled as Justin fumed.

“You boys heard what the track sounded like, right?” Max asked, breaking the silence that fell over them. They nodded. “Ok, first I would like all of you to get in the recording booth so you can sing your intro and sing the chorus.”

“All of us?” Justin repeated. “Why?”

“That way once we get to the verses that you and JC are going to sing we can overlap your voices, it will sound better, trust me.”

Justin knew better than to argue and did as Max say. It took a little bit for them to get situated in the room, it felt smaller because they were all in the room. That and Chris ended up in a little ‘fight’ with the headphones that got Justin whacked in the side of the head a few times and got him and Joey tangled in the chord.

“Ok, is everyone ready?” Denniz asked. They nodded. “First, Justin, I need you to sing the intro. Don’t hesitate to give it all you’ve got.”

Justin nodded, swallowed, and licked his lips. He drummed his fingers against his legs as he waited. ‘This is it. This is what we’ve been waiting for.’ He glanced over to the guys who nodded and smiled encouragingly. Justin took another deep breath and started.

You're all I ever wanted
You're all I ever needed, yeah
So tell me what to do now
'Cause

“Ok, stop there,” Max interrupted Justin. “I want you to do that again, but this time I want you each in turn to come in singing the ‘I’ part and holding it out before you all sing ‘I want you back’ in that pitch? Ok. Lance you first, and then Joey will come in, then Justin, then JC, and finally Chris. Ok? Let’s try it.”

You're all I ever wanted
You're all I ever needed, yeah
So tell me what to do now
'Cause I, I, I, I, I

I want you back

Justin grinned. He felt shivers roll up his spine as soon as they stopped singing. Judging by the smiles on the other guys’ faces they felt the same way. The continued singing the chorus bits of the song, along with random vocal inputs, mainly them goofing around and singing something that would make the others laugh.

Around new Justin was still working on his verses when there was a knock on the door. Chris looked up from the card game he was playing with the rest of the guys and stared at the door as if it were going to open by itself. Since he was the closest to the door Lance, Joey, and JC stared at him, pointedly. He sighed heavily, reached back, twisted the knob, and pulled open the door.

“How are my boys doing?” Lou asked as he came back into the room. As soon as they got started singing Denniz and Max had asked Lou to leave the room, thinking he would make the boys nervous. It was evident by the smile on his face that he had been itching to get back into the room.

“Good,” Chris replied. He paused and laughed happily as he slapped a card on the pile. “Diamonds,” he added, grinning when Lance sighed.

“I have good news for you boys,” Lou continued. “You’re going to your first photoshoot today.”

“Huh?” was all Joey got out.

“With Fryderyk Gabowicz. He has heard about you guys and wants to be the first one to give you a photo shoot.”

JC’s mouth fell open. He didn’t know if he should be happy or confused. He was happy about the fact that they were moving so fast to achieving their dream of being known and making a record. But he was also confused as to why someone would want to offer them a photoshoot when they were still in the beginning stages of everything. Johnny did say that Lou always worked fast and had great connections and there was no doubt that it was true now, but he was still skeptical.

“Umm, when?” JC finally asked. “'Cause, um, Lynn wanted to take us out for dinner later.”

“A silly dinner won’t get in the way of your road to stardom,” Lou said with a wave of his hand.

JC looked through the glass that separated them from the recording booth to check if Justin was listening. It was obvious that he was because his lips were pressed against each other tight and his blue eyes were filled with the fire that always surfaced whenever someone spoke poorly about his mother.

“And in two days you’re going to perform in Munich, Germany for the Pop-Rockey-Summerparty,” Lou continued.

“What!?” Justin’s voice floated over the speakers and into the room. Lou turned his dark eyes to the young boy. “How can we perform all ready? We don’t even have a stage show or a completed song. We just started recording.”

“You’re an a capella group, correct?” Lou asked, keeping his eyes on Justin. “All you have to do is sing a few a capella songs. That’s it. That’s not too hard is it?”

Justin kept his mouth shut and shook his head, lowering his eyes. JC glanced around at the other guys to check their reactions. They, too, had shocked looks on their faces. Lou hadn’t spoken to any of them like that. It was usually “my boys” this and “my boys” that. Not once had Lou raised his voice at them, no matter how rowdy they were.

Lou looked at his watch. “Your photoshoot is at four. A car will be around to pick you up at 3:30.” He then turned and walked right back out the door.

~*~*~*~

“I’m soooooo tired,” Justin mumbled as the boys trudged through the front doors of the hotel. His voice was slightly raspy from singing so much in that day alone. He hasn’t sung that much in one day, he usually had a few hours of vocal rest but as soon as they got out of their photoshoot Lou made them choose which two songs they were going to perform and then practice those songs for hours on end. Robin eventually made them stop in fear of giving them sore throats, Justin especially since his vocal chords were younger than the others’.

“I just…I just wanna sleep,” Chris agreed, lazily reaching up his arm to push the button to call an elevator.

“I hear ya,” JC agreed, giving a sleepy smile. “I just want to sleep for days.”

“I’m sure you’ll achieve that too,” Joey joked. JC lightly punched Joey on the arm and rested his forehead against the wall as he waited for the elevator to arrive. “Ahhh, you were worried about us, I guess?” Joey asked. JC forced an eye open and saw Mack step out of the elevator.

“It’s about time y’all got here!” She huffed, a trace of her southern accent seeping into her voice. “You were supposed to be here an hour and a half ago! Lynn’s worried.” She turned to Justin. “And J, you’re in trouble because you didn’t call her.”

Justin groaned as the others chuckled. “Aww, the Baby’s in twubble with his Momma,” Chris joked.

“Fuck off!” Justin snapped, shoving Chris away from him who was going to pinch his cheek.

“What’s wrong with you guys?” Mack asked, her eyebrows crinkling together in concern as she looked at the group.

“We’ll explain later. Just let us sleep for a bit,” Lance replied with a yawn.

“Yeah, I can’t let you do that,” she replied. “Lynn says there’s something in the game room who wants to speak with us. Apparently we broke something…?” She let her voice trail off and they all looked over at Chris, who was currently messing around with the leaves on the tree by his head.

“Ugh. Way to go, Chris,” JC groaned, pushing himself off of the wall and stretching. He was the first one to walk in the direction of the game room, which didn’t surprise him in the least. He was dubbed the father of the group by the rest of the guys so it didn’t surprise him that they would let him handle the potentially angry hotel manager. Lance would’ve done it himself but he was too tired to deal with someone yelling at him in a language he didn’t understand. “God, Chris, why did you have to go and–”

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JC!

JC blinked rapidly at the screaming guests, the streamers, the confetti that was falling everywhere, the balloons, cake, candy, and stack of presents at the end of a table. Behind the table Lynn, Johnny, Robin, Lou, Tyler, Heather, Roy, and Karen stood, grinning from ear to ear. The room was also decorated with fake inflatable plants, flowers, and other jungle-like things. There was also a giant stuffed lion sitting in the corner with a crown on its head.

“Huh?” Was all JC managed to get out of his mouth. His shock had momentarily stopped his brain from producing any thought. “But…I thought…and Chris…” he stammered. “Huh?” he finally asked again, causing everyone else to laugh.

“I told you I throw the best surprise parties,” Mack said as she jabbed Justin in the side with her finger, a large smile was on her face. “He didn’t even see it coming.”

“Josh!” Heather ran over to her brother and wrapped her arms around his neck. JC, in turn, wrapped his around her waist and easily lifted her off of the ground and squeezed her tight. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too,” he replied genuinely, putting her down on the ground. “How’d you guys get here?” he asked, moving over to his mother to hug her and give her a kiss.

“It’s called an airplane, stupid,” Tyler replied with an eye roll and a teasing smile.

“It’s called a rhetorical question, idiot,” JC shot back with equal amounts of teasing, pulling his brother in for a hug before he hugged Roy. “When’d you get here?”

“A few hours ago,” Roy replied. “We got a call last night asking if we’d come over to surprise you for your birthday, that you needed some cheering up. So we got the earliest flight we could and came out here.”

“What happened?” Heather asked so quietly that JC barely heard her. He looked down at her and saw concern flashing through her eyes. He glanced up to see that the other guys were preoccupied with the cake that Karen and Lynn were cutting. If the two weren’t in the way JC would guess that they would jump at the cake and eat it with their hands if they had the chance.

He lightly took her hand and pulled her into the corner of the room. He lowered his voice to make sure the others didn’t hear him, although he spoke softly anyway. “I got a phone call from Nikki. Well, it was actually a message. She…well…she broke up with me,” he admitted. It was the first time he was admitting it to himself and he could feel the pinch behind his eyes that signaled tears. He blinked rapidly to try and keep them away. The last thing he wanted to do was cry at his own birthday party, that would only get everyone concerned and he didn’t want to ruin their fun. It’s just…he’s known Nikki for so long; she’s been an important part of his life. Now that she’s gone it was like he was missing a limb.

“Oh,” she replied. JC looked at her in confusion. Oh? That’s all she could say. She must’ve read his mind so she continued, “It’s just…I thought it was something else,” she replied with a shrug. She paused. “Wait, did you just get this call? I thought you all ready knew.”

Now JC was really confused. “Knew what?”

“About her breaking up with you,” she replied as if it were obvious.

“Wait…you all ready knew?” JC asked, trying to understand the conversation. “How did you know? Did Nikki tell you or something?”

“No, I heard it from Mack and…oh…you didn’t know!” Heather gasped, clasping her hands over her mouth. Her eyes got wide as JC’s heart clenched. “Oh no, oh no.”

“Heather, what’s going on?” JC asked slowly, stopping himself from yelling at her or…do something out of the rage that was slowly starting to rise in him.

“Um, she, um…”

Heather.”

“Ok! Ok! Don’t yell at me,” she said as she held up her hands in defense. “A few days ago Mack called me telling me that she had intercepted a call meant for you. That Nikki was going to break up with you, but she couldn’t do it. Nikki was going to get Justin to do it but she thought it wouldn’t be fair. That’s why she left the message; she didn’t want to tell you to your face, er, ear.”

“How come neither of you two told me?” he demanded, letting out a slow breath from his nose, trying to keep his composure.

“Because it wasn’t our place!” Heather practically wailed. “That’s why Mack called me. She was going nuts. She wanted to tell you, really she did, but she knew it wouldn’t be fair and she thought you’d turn your anger on Nikki on her.”

“I wouldn’t have done that,” JC denied. Heather raised her eyebrows. “Ok, I might have,” he admitted.

“Are you…mad?” Heather asked after a few minutes of silence between them.

“Hmmm…no, I’m not mad. More disappointed and hurt than mad,” he admitted, running a hand over his hair.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.”

“Ok, so can I say that your hair cut makes you look like Caesar?” Heather asked with a smile.

JC smiled in return. “Shut up.”

End Notes:

 

Please read and review. I don't want to sound like I'm begging, but I would really like to know what you guys think, and it only takes five seconds to drop a review.

Momma Called the Doctor and the Doctor Said by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 15: Momma Called the Doctor and the Doctor Said

The boys got right to work in the studio recording song after song as the weeks go by. Soon they found themselves getting busy without being in the studio. Lou had them booked for photo shoots and a couple interviews with a few German magazines through the rest of August. They had to relocate to Germany so it would be easier to reach the magazines for the interview, going first class all the way of course. On the 28th they were tipped off by Lou to watch a certain channel and they were shocked to find out that they were a news story for that night.

August turned into September and they found themselves getting increasingly busy. Lance had convinced his mother, Diane, to join them on tour so they had another mother figure with them telling them when to get to sleep, when to wake up, and to make sure they were where they needed to be. Of course Mack had a hand in that, she loved being able to boss the boys around without getting backlash for it. And if she did get backlash, Lynn was there to quickly scold the boys. Now that it neared the end of September Denniz and Max announced that they wanted to release their first single “I Want You Back” in early October Mack could finally put her dancing to good use.

Being the early bird that she was, Mack quickly ate breakfast, packed a few of her things, and asked their hired driver to take her to the rented out dance studio. She listened to the master copy of “I Want You Back” and “Tearin’ Up My Heart” thinking of a few combinations that could fit into the tempo of either song. By the time she got to the studio ten minutes later she had both songs memorized and a few combinations worked out. The challenge was to make it look good and effortless.

Mack thanked the drive for the ride with a nod and pulled open the shiny door of the building. She walked up to the counter and rested her arms on it as she waited for the man behind it to get off of the phone. “Ah, you must be Ms. Des…Des…” he hesitated.

“Desrosiers,” Mack offered before waving her hand. “It’s hard to pronounce, I know. Mack’s fine.”

“Ms….Mack, I have awaited your arrival. Lou has selected a room for you to practice in. Allow me to show you.”

“Thank you…” she leaned forward to peer at his name tag, “…Andreas.”

He smiled and motioned for her to follow him down a hall of doors. She looked at the walls that were filled with pictures of dancers and troupes. Some were pictures catching the group in action and some were pictures of groups holding up medals, plaques, or trophies.

“Ah, here we are, studio 7,” Andreas announced, pulling out keys and unlocking the door. “I hope the studio is to your liking.” He pushed open the door and took a step back, allowing her room to look inside. She stepped into the doorway and flipped on the light. The sight easily made her jaw drop. She was standing in her own piece of heaven. The hardwood floors were so shiny you could see your reflection. Mirrors lined the front and back walls and a couch rested on the wall closest to the door, the left hand side, next to an impressive looking sound system. A speaker was mounted in each corner. “Also, through that door,” Andreas pointed at the door that was a few feet away of the couch, on the front wall where the mirrors and the hardwood floor met with linoleum, “it takes you to a little locker room area. If you ever need to leave something here over night you have the liberty to.”

“Thanks.” She looked at her watch. “Could you send the guys in as soon as they get here? Just look for a curly haired kid.” Andreas nodded and closed the door behind her. She walked to the center of the room, taking in the faint pinewood-meets-lemon smell before sitting down Indian-style, taking everything in. It hit her like a ton of bricks. She was finally getting to do what she was signed up for. She finally got to dance and was paid for it.

After a few minutes of sitting and letting reality sink in she popped the master copy out of her walkman and put it into the stereo system. She then pressed play, turned up the volume, and laid down on the couch, waiting for the music to start playing.

The sound came out clearly and easily filled the room. The bass beats were a little louder than the rest of the song, and the guys’ voices for that matter, but it sounded pretty good nonetheless. She closed her eyes and listened to the song, taking in every word and trying to apply the dance moves she thought of to the song. She figured it would be better to have the tougher dance moves during the verses or the breakdown when not all of them sang, and have the easier stuff during the chorus so they wouldn’t be too tired.

After listening to the song two times she pulled her notebook out of her backpack and scribbled down different combinations for different parts of the song, also drawing pictures to go along with it. Once she had that done she decided to test it out and see how it looked.

She stood in the let out a couple of breaths to relax herself and pressed Play on the mini remote that was in her hand. As soon as Justin’s voice was heard she put her dance moves into action. She blocked everything out and only focused on breathing and moving her body in time with the music. She tried the whole dance a few more times before taking a break to get some water. Then she switched CDs to a dance mix she had made and fully let loose, getting lost in the music. Only when she turned around at the end of the song did she notice that she had been watched.

“See? I told you it was a good idea to hire her,” Justin said with a grin as he, Lou, Diane, and Lynn clapped and Mack shut off the music.

“How long have you been standing there?” She asked her eyes shifting to each person.

“About five minutes,” Justin replied. “How long have you been here?”

“A few hours.” Justin’s eyes widened in shock. “I couldn’t sleep and I couldn’t find a gym so I figured I might as well finish what I’ve been working on before you guys got here. I just told Robin where I went and the driver took me here no problem.”

“I would appreciate it if you called me next time, sweetie,” Lynn said with a small smile, letting Mack know that she wasn’t in trouble.

“Sorry,” Mack apologized. “I’ll tell you next time. I promise.”

“So you have the entire song worked out?” Lou spoke up, eyeing her. She nodded, shifting under his gaze. “I would love to see it.” A smile came onto his face and she fought the urge not to throw up.

“You have to wait for the rest of the guys though. They’re around here somewhere. Wait here, I’ll go find them,” Justin said eagerly before rushing out of the room as Lynn and Lou took their seats on the couch. Mack sat down where she was standing and started to stretch out her legs.

“How long have you been working on the routine?” Lynn asked, breaking the silence.

“Physically or mentally?” She asked, leaning forward to touch her toes.

“Physically.”

“Any free time I had,” Mack said. “Let me rephrase that, any time I wasn’t loaded down with homework and I wasn’t running around getting things for the guys ‘cause they’re too damn lazy to get it themselves.” She chuckled a bit. “I think I work this out…about four hours a day, give or take an hour on a few random days.”

“Don’t you think you’re overworking yourself?” Lynn asked, her voice laced with concern. “I mean, as you said you have homework to do as well. And you try and help out the boys a lot. You’ve gotten pretty sick twice in the past few months.” She sighed. “I think you’re wearing yourself thin and you’re not taking care of yourself properly. What’re you going to do once I go back home? I’m going to be out of my mind with worry. For you and for Justin.”

“Momma Lynn, you need to go back to work,” Mack said as she bent her leg and leaned all the way back so she was looking at the ceiling. “You know you can trust us. If Justin gets out of line I’ll make sure to put him back in his place.”

“Ok, but what about you?” Lynn pressed.

Mack sat up a bit and grinned at her. “I have five ‘brothers’ with me.” She put finger quotes around the word brothers. “Trust me, with them being all…protective 24/7 you have nothing to worry about.”

“Yet every time you or Justin say that it just makes me worry even more,” Lynn said softly as the door burst open and Chris ran in, laughing hysterically as Joey chased him around the room.

“Guys, knock it off!” JC called to them, glancing over at Lou who was sitting patiently on the couch. JC sighed when Chris and Joey continued running around, yelling at each other. He couldn’t believe after all of this time they were still making fools of themselves in front of Lou, the one person who made sure they got to where they were.

“Don’t worry about it JC,” Lou said as he chuckled a bit. “You might as well let them burn off their extra energy.”

“Yeah. Trust me, you guys aren’t going to have any after I’m through with you,” Mack joked.

“Are you insinuating something, sweetie?” Joey suddenly asked, wiggling his eyebrows. She rolled her eyes and shook her head, getting to her feet. “So, you ready to dance for us Twinkle Toes?” he asked, sitting on the floor in front of the couch. Lynn lightly hit him on the back of the head and he grinned innocently.

“Just remember that I can take anything you say and punish you for it,” Mack pointed out as she rolled her shoulders. “Now remember, this may look kind of weird with only one person dancing to the song but it’ll look a lot better once the guys know the moves.”

“Quit stalling!” Justin called good-naturedly.  Without waiting to see if she was ready he pressed play on the stereo system and blushed a bit when he heard his voice pour out of the sound system and fill the room. Pushing her slight nerves aside she started moving to the music and didn’t finish until the song had ended; a small smile was on her face the entire time.

She turned red when everyone in the room burst into an applause and she shifted her weight from foot to foot. “Aww, don’t be shy now,” Justin said with a grin. He still couldn’t wrap his head around why she always gets embarrassed whenever she gets praise or compliments for her dancing. She rocked, simple as that, but she kept saying something about still needing to get better.

“We should leave so the boys can get to work,” Diane spoke up as she stood. “You did a wonderful job, honey,” she added, smiling at Mack.

“Thanks Mrs. Bass,” she said with a small smile.

“Call once you’re done,” Lynn said, giving Justin a hug.

“I will, Momma,” Justin replied, hugging her back. He glared at Joey and Chris who, behind Lynn’s back, was making faces at him. He flipped them off but quickly retracted his finger when Lynn let him go and he smiled sweetly. “By Momma,” he called. As soon as the door shut he rounded on Chris and Joey. “Do that again, I dare you!” He snarled.

“Relax, they were just kidding,” Mack said as she placed a hand on his shoulder. “Before you guys start any dancing at all I want you to work out a bit.”

“Like…?” Chris asked, raising his eyebrows.

“Well, for starts, give me 50 pushups,” she responded, sitting down in front of the mirrors, resting her back against it.

“I’m sorry, did you say 50?” Chris asked. She nodded. “Are you crazy or do you just enjoy watching us in pain?”

“A little bit of both,” Justin said in a stage whisper. He ducked when Mack threw her shoe at him and chuckled a bit, giving her his patented Timberlake Charm smile. “I’m sorry.”

“I know but you still owe me 50 pushups. Good pushups. Go.” The boys grumbled to themselves before getting in pushup position and started doing their pushups. She scanned over them, making sure they were doing it right. “You don’t have to go fast, just get all 50 done, even if you have to take a few breaks in between.”

“Ha! Only wimps have to take breaks!” Justin called from where he was doing quick pushups, obviously trying to show off.

“Jace, put your ass down,” Mack called. She instantly regretted what she said because Justin, Joey, and Chris all looked at her with large grins on their faces. “Oh no,” she muttered. She really had to learn to keep her mouth shut.

“Is this the first time you’ve looked at JC’s ass?” Chris questioned, shifting his weight a bit. “Or have you been admiring it for some time?”

“What ass? C has no ass,” Joey commented as he looked over at JC who was staring at the ground, continuing with his pushups, trying to ignore them.

“And why’s JC suddenly so special?” Justin added. “I’ve known you longer?”

“Which means I won’t hesitate to put you on a three mile run in a few seconds,” Mack commented dryly. Automatically Chris, Joey, and Justin went back to their pushups. “Yeah, that’s what I thought.” She glanced up when Lance sat down next to her. “What’s up, Lancelot?”

“I like what you have in mind for the song,” Lance started. “I just don’t think I can do it. I’m a terrible dancer.”

“No you’re not,” she said shaking her head. “You’re almost as bad as Joey.”

“Hey!” He cried out in mock anger. “Just because I wasn’t dancing when I was coming out of the womb or I wasn’t turned into a sparkly dance boy like some Mouseketeers I could mention doesn’t mean I’m a bad dancer.”

“No, you’re a hammy dancer,” JC corrected, getting onto his knees and rubbing his arms a bit.

“A hammy dancer?” Joey repeated. “What the hell’s a hammy dancer? How am I a hammy dancer?”

“Have you seen your face when you dance?” Lance questioned, raising his eyebrows. “You have this…pursed lips thing going on.”

And you have a funny look in your eye,” Chris added.

And you exaggerate dance moves too,” Justin agreed.

“You all have your equal share of dancing problems,” Mack called over the shouting.

“Yeah? Like what? What’s mine?” Justin demanded.

“For starters, you like the spotlight way too much so you always try to be in it,” Mack replied. “JC you, like Joey, exaggerate the moves so you end up being off by half a beat which is noticeable. Chris, you spend too much time worrying about the audience than you do about the actual performance and Lance…um, you kinda cheat on some dance moves and that’s noticeable too.”

“Well, damn, do you want us to tear you apart too?” Justin asked sarcastically. “I have years worth of stuff on you that I’ve been waiting to unload.”

She jumped to her feet and stood in front of him, glaring. Although he was pushing six feet and she was a mere 5’2” her glare still got to him but he held his ground. “Oh yeah? I’m just dying to hear it.”

“Knock it off, you two,” JC said as he forced his way into the glaring friends. “I don’t know what’s gotten you two to be at each other’s throats lately but whatever it is you have to put it aside whenever we’re working or else we won’t get anything done.” She and Justin crossed their arms over their chests, not willing to let JC know that he was right. “Just relax, ok? You can talk it out after practice is over.”

“Fine,” they said in unison.

“I’m going to break it down into an eight-count to make it easier to transfer from one motion to the next, ok?” She said. They nodded. “Ok, Lance I need you to stand here…”

For the next two hours she taught them the dance all the way through the chorus, stopping every now and then to correct their position or to change a part of the dance if it looked wrong. The guys even came up with their own suggestions, some that had to be put aside but some were used, such as Justin’s suggestion of doing a flip or something when transferring to the next chorus.

“Sorry,” Just muttered so softly that Mack barely heard it. “Sorry,” he repeated. “I was just kidding around. I know you were only trying to help us.” He ran a hand through his short curls. “It’s just…you kinda take things to heart too quickly. We were just teasing you. You know I wouldn’t make you mad on purpose.”

“I know,” Mack said as she pulled the drawstring on her bag. “And you’re right.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t catch what you just said,” Justin said as he placed his hand behind his ear, bending it forward a bit. She playfully swatted him on the arm and he grinned. “You’re working too hard,” he suddenly stated.

She shook her head. “I’m doing fine. Just be glad I’m not on my period.”

“God, then you’d be a total bitch.” He chuckled a bit. “But seriously, you do so much for us. You should take a break. Relax a bit.” Mack shook her head. “Well, at least get some TLC.”

“Timberlake Loving Care?” Mack guessed.

“Actually in this case I’m talking about Tray,” he said as he waved his phone in front of her face. “He complains about not being able to reach you and it’s really starting to get on my nerves. That’s my prescription for your short fuse.”

“Ok, Dr. Timberlake. I’ll take that to heart,” she said with a roll of her eyes and a punch to his shoulder.

He grinned and draped his arm around her shoulders before leading her out the door. “Have you been avoiding Trace?”

“No, he just never caught me at the right time. I’ve been so busy doing your homework.”

“I’m surprised no one’s caught on to that yet,” he said as he rubbed his chin. “I’ll pay you back. I promise, as soon as I get enough time…or I understand what we’re learning.”

“Take your time. It’s not like I’m holding it over your head and know that you owe me exactly 67 favors,” she said with a shrug. He looked at her and she smiled innocently.

“Excuse me.” They stopped walking to see Lou coming towards the down the hall. Justin felt Mack tense under his arm and he took a peek at her face. Her jaw was clenched and her breathing was slightly erratic. “I would like to talk to Mackenzie for a second, if it’s not too much to ask.”

Justin dropped his arm. “They guys and I will wait in the lobby ok?” He nudged her arm, his way of asking what was up. She lightly pinched his palm, letting him know she’ll explain later. He nodded slightly and backed away, turning and jogging towards the sound of Chris’ maniacal laughter.

“I just wanted to let you know I think you’re doing an amazing job and I think I made the right choice in hiring you as their choreographer,” Lou started, smiling a little so the corners of his mouth were upturned. Mack merely nodded and turned to walk away but he grabbed her shoulder, giving it a little squeeze. “Also, about halfway through October is your final show for a bit. You guys can take a vacation and go back home for a bit. You can come over to my place anytime.” He paused and slowly moved his hand from her shoulder to her neck, his thumb grazing her cheek. “All of you, I mean. You have to go back to Germany right around New Years for a TV performance and then you can come back home, but then you need to be back in Europe halfway through January to get ready for your first tour.”

She tried to move again but he moved his hand back to her shoulder and squeezed hard, his fingers biting into the bone. She squeezed her eyes shut and bit her lip to keep herself from crying out in pain. Her stomach was churching and her mind was telling her to run, punch him, kick him, do something but she was frozen in place. “Your dancing is really working for you,” he commented, looking her over as she trembled slightly under his stare. He brought his other hand up and rubbed them over her biceps. His left hand traveled down to her stomach, lightly rubbing her sculpted abs. “Mmmm,” he muttered. Mack felt like she was going to gag. “Now remember, don’t tell anyone about this,” he muttered after what felt like an eternity to her. “If you do, I can easily take away everything those boys worked for. And that would be a shame, knowing that you were responsible for their demise. How would Justin look at you the same way?”

He could tell that he had hit a soft spot when she let out a gasp that was soft but audible and he grinned victoriously. He quickly let go of her and looked up when Lynn walked around the corner. Mack turned at the sound of clacking heels and noticed the stony look on Lynn’s features, which signaled that she was furious about something.

“Lou, we need to talk,” Lynn started.

“What seems to be the problem, Mrs. Harless?” Lou asked politely, keeping his eyes on the younger girl who stood next to the fuming woman.

“It’s about the boys and this young lady,” Lynn replied. “I think you’re working them too hard.”

“Mrs. Harless, they are all responsible for the hours they work. They’re the ones who put this much effort into their work, I’m not there telling them how long they have to practice or to sing,” Lou pointed out.

“Yes, but you’re not stopping them either,” Lynn continued, crossing her arms over her chest.”I’ve been watching them since they’ve started this daily routine and I have to say that I’m shocked. They’ve lost a significant amount of weight that you can tell just by looking at them. Also, they’ve visibly tired. They barely get a good night’s sleep as it is but with you taking them out to parties all of the time it’s just adding to their exhaustion.”

“What would you like me to do, Mrs. Harless?” Lou questioned.

“If these boys don’t get a day off every week I’m taking my boy and going home,” Lynn threatened. Mack smiled a bit when she saw a look of pure fear in Lou’s eyes. But as quickly as it appeared it disappeared.

“You got it,” he responded. “Their free days will be predetermined, though, so it won’t clash with potential interviews or show appearances.” He gave her a reassuring smile. “Is there anything else you’d like to talk to me about? Are there any other concerns?”

“No, there aren’t any,” Lynn replied.

“Good. You can always come to me if another concern arises,” Lou said with a pleasant smile. “I just want to help these boys. They’re all ready on the fast track to success; you wouldn’t want to slow them down would you?” He didn’t give Lynn a chance to answer. “Don’t worry about a thing.”

Lynn nodded and motioned for Mack to follow her back down the hall. “We’re going out to eat tonight; the boys don’t want to stay in the hotel. There’s a pizza place a few blocks from here and a restaurant near the hotel that I hear is amazing, but the boys can’t decide.”

“So they want me to decide?” Mack questioned, lifting an eyebrow. “Either way it should be three against two so what does my opinion matter?” She glanced over her shoulder and was filled with relief when she saw that Lou wasn’t in the hall anymore.

“I honestly don’t see how it does, they’re just insisting on your input,” Lynn admitted. “But you should be happy that they want to include you on this.” Mack gave Lynn a confused look. “I can see it whenever we’re at the studio. You’re lonely because the guys are always together, right?”

Mack nodded, surprised at how well Lynn had read her. “Do you think…we can get Trace out here for a couple of days?” She asked.

Lynn smiled. “I think that’s a great idea.”

End Notes:
Please read and review. Comments make me update faster.
Flirting With Disaster...Or Just Plain Flirting by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 16: Flirting With Disaster…or Just Plain Flirting

Justin woke up one morning in October rubbing his eyes. Everything suddenly came flying back at him. On October 7th they had released “I Want You Back” as their first single and he had to admit it was his favorite track that they’ve recorded so far. They had performed the song at a couple of shows to see their audience’s reaction, and so far it was positive. Two days ago, on the 15th of October they found out that their single entered the German charts and they had gone to Switzerland for the day to appear on the show Coom. Now, the 17th, Justin was excited for three reasons: 1) It was Chris’ 25th birthday and they had managed to get his family to come and celebrate 2) ‘N Sync were going to be the opening act for DJ Bobo in Cologne, Germany, and 3) Trace was finally coming to visit.

“Hmmm, I wonder if Room Service can bring up some cereal,” he muttered to himself as he looked over the menu. He grinned when he saw it located under the breakfast section. He grabbed the phone and quickly dialed the extension number for Room Service. “Hi, I was wondering if you had any cereal you could bring up.” Justin asked the person on the other line. “You do? Great. Um, do you have any Captain Crunch cereal? Good. Now, if it’s not too much trouble could you put it in the biggest bowl you can find? Thanks so much! Room 712. Thank you. Danke schön!”

Justin glanced at the door when a knock sounded. He hung up the phone, rubbed his eyes again, and shuffled to the door quietly as to not wake up his mom. “What the heck? Trace, we weren’t supposed to pick you up for another three hours,” Justin said happily as he hugged his friend.

‘That Lou guy arranged for me to get here early,” Trace replied, coming into the room. “I mean, the guy picked me up in a Rolls-Royce. How fly is that?”

“It is pretty dope,” Justin replied.

“Ok, so what’s the day going to be like?”

“We open for DJ Bobo today so we’re going to spend part of the day practicing in the dance studio.” Justin ran a hand through his hair. “Then we’re going to celebrate Chris’ birthday. That’s about it. Oh, in between the rehearsal and the show we have time to hang out.”

“Sounds cool.” Trace nodded and looked around. “Where’s the Dancing Queen?”

“In here.” Justin pointed at the door connecting their rooms. “Robin, our vocal coach, used to room with her but she had to help some others back in Orlando.” Justin put a finger to his lips and pushed open the door. The two quietly crept into the room and over to Mack’s bed, which she and papers were occupying.

“1…2…3!” Trace counted. On three the two boys ran across the space of the room, jumped, and landed on her bed, earning a groan of pain from the girl.

“Get…off!” Mack growled without opening her eyes.

“Aww, not that aint the way to treat your best friend who flew this far out to see you,” Trace commented in his southern drawl.

Mack forced her eyes opened and smiled sleepily at him. “Mornin’.”

“Morning, Sleepy Head,” Justin chirped.

“Whoa, you’re up before me?” Mack asked in shock, rubbing her eyes. “And when’d he get here?” She added, glancing at Trace.

“A few minutes ago,” Justin replied. “Anyway, I have a bowl of cereal being brought up. Go change so we can eat and get to the studio.”

“Ok,” Mack said as she climbed over Justin to get out of the bed. “Tray, are you going to watch.”

Trace shrugged. “I have nothing better to do.” Mack flipped him off before going into the bathroom. A confused look crossed his features as he watched her move around the corner. “J, when did Little Mackie…change?” He questioned, following Justin back into his room.

“What do you mean?” Justin asked, picking up the large bowl of cereal that had been pulled into the room. “She hasn’t changed.”

“Besides the obvious,” Trace said with an eyeroll. “You can’t tell me y’all haven’t noticed.”

“Notice’ wha?” Justin asked with a full mouth, bits of cereal falling back into the bowl.

“She…she has hips now. And an ass and…boobies,” Trace finally got out with a bit of difficulty. Justin looked at him as if he were crazy. Before he could say anything the bathroom door opened and Lynn stepped out. “Ms. Lynn, it’s great to see you!” Trace said with a charming smile. “Did you do something different to your hair?”

“Aren’t you sweet? How are you Trace?” Lynn asked, pulling him into a hug which he eagerly returned.

“Glad to be out of Shelby for a bit,” he admitted. “The language I could do without, though.”

Lynn grinned as Mack came into the room. Trace glanced at her and flinched visibly, half because of the way her shirt hugged her body and half because of the sliver of abs that were shown as she pulled her hair back into a ponytail.

“Are the others awake?” She asked Justin.

He shook his head and swallowed. “Yes and now. Everyone but JC is awake.”

She rolled her eyes. “Be right back.” She checked if her key was in her pocket before leaving the room.

“Oh this’ll be good.” Justin put down the bowl. “C’mon, we have to check this out.” Trace and Justin followed Mack into Lance’s and JC’s room.

“Everyone’s up but him,” Lance said as he pulled his shoes on. Mack nodded and crouched by JC’s head.

“Jace, wake up sweetie,” Mack said softly as she stroked his hair. He didn’t move an inch so she grabbed the side of his mattress and pulled upwards. JC let out a cry of surprise before landing on the ground with a thud. “You have five minutes to change and get to the lobby,” she announced.

 

~*~*~*~

 

“Ok, so Justin and Joey will get on their backs with their knees up,” Mack explained as she paced a bit. “Then Chris and Lance will semi-sorta sit on your stomachs with their knees on your pelvic bones. They’ll pull the hems of their shirts down over Justin’s and Joey’s knees so you look like smaller versions of yourselves.” The four nodded. “C, you’ll just be on your knees imitating every arm or leg movement they do, ok?” he nodded. “Ok, do the dance all the way up to that part and I’ll show you the rest.”

They got into their positions and Mack sat down next to Trace on the couch before pushing a button on the remote, starting the music. Trace watched in amazement at how easily and flawlessly they seemed to make their dancing but he knew a lot of work went into it.

“You’re doing such an amazing job,” Trace said as he lightly patted Mack’s hand.

“Thanks. But they’re really doing all of the work,” Mack replied, never taking her eyes off of the dancing boys as she mentally scrutinized them.

“Are you sure you just turned fifteen?” Trace asked in suspicion. “Because you’re talking like you’re thirty.” She just shrugged and smiled a bit and that’s when Trace realized how much he really missed her. He missed her smile, her laugh, her attitude. Her. He had to admit he thought about her and Justin a lot, but his mind traveled to her the most.

“Ok guys, you can take a break,” Mack said to the panting, sweating boys. “You’ll blow the audience away tonight.”

“If Chris’s farts don’t do that first,” Joey said as he waved his hand in front of his face. Chris punched him in the shoulder. “So, Trace, is it?” Trace nodded. “I hear you’re the pain in our girl’s finely sculpted ass.”

“Joey,” Mack said in a warning tone and he smiled innocently.

Trace chuckled. “Yeah, I used to be pretty annoying.”

“’Pretty’?” Justin repeated. “You two were always at each other’s throats,” Justin said with an eye roll. “If I didn’t like either of you then you wouldn’t even be here.”

“So you want us to be happy that you’re arrogant?” Mack asked with a teasing smile.

Justin glanced at her with a mischievous look in his eye. Trace jumped in before they did something they would eventually regret. “Justin mentioned that you have a break in between this rehearsal and your show. I’d like to take a closer look of Germany. Anyone up for it?” He got mixed reactions from them. “What?”

“Well, lately we’ve been recognized from magazines and stuff and it’s hard to go somewhere without being…harassed,” JC replied. Trace couldn’t tell if he was bragging or not about the recognition but the strain in his voice alerted him that he was only telling the truth, bragging or not.

“You too?” Trace asked Mack, his eyes darkened slightly.

She scoffed. “No way, the fans don’t give a rat’s ass about me, which I have to say I’m relieved. Aint no way in this world I want to get any of my clothes ripped or torn.” She paused. “And J can’t go.”

“Why not?” Justin and Trace asked in unison.

“Because you all ready promised me and Lynn that you’d come with us to the hair salon, remember?”

Chris snorted as Justin glared. “You’re going to a hair salon? Are your nails that long?”

“No, he’s getting his curls bleached,” Mack replied. “Which I still don’t understand why.”

“Brown hair is so boring,” Justin replied. “No offense,” he quickly added to JC, Joey, and Chris.

“Ok, what about you guys?” Trace nodded towards Lance.

“Joey and I were going to go to a bar, actually,” Lance replied.

“Lance, you’re 17 you can’t drink beer yet,” JC pointed out.

“We know. We just want to see if we can get away with it,” Joey laughed as the two high-fived.

“And you two?” Trace asked Chris and JC.

“I was going to stick with Chris to make sure he stays out of trouble,” JC said as Chris huffed and mumbled something about where JC could stick his idea.

“Ok, I’ll just go with you guys,” Trace told Justin.

“We’ll meet you guys there later,” JC agreed.

 

~*~*~*~

 

“Are you ok?” Trace asked with a laugh.

“Shut up!” Justin snapped through clenched teeth.

“Careful you might mess up your perm.”

“Shut up you fu-“

“Justin Randall!” Lynn called from her seat, stopping her son from finishing his sentence.

“How’re you doing over here?” Trace asked, leaning over the sink to see Mack’s face.

“Good, unlike Whimperlake,” she replied. She, liked Justin, was getting her hair bleached but she was only getting strips of it bleached. On an act of impulse she decided to get blue streaks in her hair. Lynn tried to talk her out of it, saying that she might regret it later but Mack wouldn’t listen and Lynn gave in.

“Are you sure?” Trace pressed. “You don’t need me talking to you to take your mind off of the pain? Or hold your hand maybe?”

“Juan Trace Ayala, are you flirting with me?” Mack asked with a teasing grin.

Trace blushed. “Maybe, maybe not.” He turned towards the door when the rest of the guys walked in.

“What do you think of them?” Mack asked Trace. “And be honest because I care about your opinion.”

“I like ‘em,” Trace replied. “They’re kinda wild, even for you, but they take care of you so I can’t complain.”

“’Take care of me’?” She repeated, lifting her head so the woman doing her hair could wrap it up in a towel. Trace nodded. “Get this straight, Trace. I don’t need anyone taking care of me. I can take care of myself.”

“I get that, really I do,” he said as he picked up her hand. “It just puts my mind at rest knowing that they’re around to potentially take care of you.” He glanced down and quickly let go of her hand. “I worry about you, ya know? Since you left for Orlando three years ago. You’re not the same Little Girl that I teased and made fun of but…I worry that you’re growing up too fast and, I don’t know, you won’t have time for me anymore…or something.”

“Just because I don’t come running to you with my problems anymore,” she paused as the woman rubbed her bangs between the towel, “doesn’t mean I don’t need my T-Rex around.” Trace grinned at his childhood nickname.

Justin squinted across the salon as the woman dried his hair. Paying attention to his two friends kept his mind off of the slightly burning feeling on his scalp as the woman prepared to trim his hair.

“What’s wrong with you?” JC asked, sitting in the chair next to his now blond friend. “You look like a pit-bull.”

“There’s something weird about those two,” Justin replied, pointing. “I just…can’t put my finger on it. I mean, they don’t fight like they used to. They don’t tease each other like they used to. I just don’t get it.”

“It’s called growing up,” JC chuckled. “You know, it’s like how you turned into a freak when you started noticing girls.”

“I wasn’t a freak.”

JC laughed, “Sure, TrouserSnake.”

Don’t call me that ever again!” Justin said in a warning tone. “Besides, growing up can’t be it. Mack’s already as mature as a chick can get and Trace won’t ever grow up.”

“Well, the only other explanation that makes sense to me is that one of their feelings have changed for the other,” JC suggested.

“What!?” JC blinked rapidly and rubbed his ears. “No, that can’t be it.”

“Why not? It’s becoming more and more common for friends to start dating. That’s how Nikki and I started.” JC shrugged. “I’m not saying it is, but if that is the case, don’t become your crazy overprotective self.”

“I don’t do that,” Justin denied.

“Yes you do,” Joey jumped in, looking up from his magazine. “You do it all of the time. You practically blow a blood vessel every time a guy just so happens to look her way.”

“I do not!

“Yeah you do. You practically made me deaf when I suggested that they liked each other,” JC replied.

“Because they don’t and I’ll prove it.” Justin turned his attention across the shop. “Hey Trace! Mackie, come here!” He yelled.

“What am I, a dog?” Mack demanded once she was standing in front of Justin, her arms crossed over her chest.

“Do you like Trace?” Justin demanded

“Don’t do thiiiis,” JC said in a sing-song voice.

“Duh, I like Trace,” Mack replied, looking at Trace in confusion.

“Do you want to date him?”

“No!”

“Trace, do you want to date her?”

“Uh, no,” Trace replied.

“See? It’s all settled then.” With a wave of his hand he added, “You can go back to what you were doing.”

“Justin,” Lynn walked over to her sun, fluffing her curls with her fingers. “If anything were to happen between them you’d want to want to be a good friend to them, even if that means supporting them when you don’t think it’s right.”

“I won’t have to worry about it because they won’t get together,” Justin said firmly. “I’ll make sure of it if I have to.”

Justin spent the rest of the day before the show running around trying to keep Trace and Mack apart, which only made them think that something weird was going on with him. It got so bad that Justin ended up running late to get to their show.

“Where is he?” Chris demanded.

“If you don’t know then we don’t know,” Joey pointed out. “But I’m sure he’ll be here soon.”

Just then the door to their dressing room burst open and Mack rushing in, panting, and carrying a large bag. “Sorry…I’m late,” she managed to get out.

“Where’s Baby J?” Chris asked.

“He and Trace are being lectured,” she replied. “They got into a fight.”

“Over what?” JC asked. She paused and gave him a pointed look. “Oh.”

“Yeah. So, I thought you guys would want to wear something different so I managed to get these.” She pulled a yellow jersey-like shirt out of the bag. It had the initials NY on the left side of the chest. “They’re the same but in different colors I got hats too if you want them. Lance, you’ll look good in the dark one, Chris you get yellow, and Joey you get orange. Jace, you can choose between the red and the blue, I didn’t know which one you’d want. The other will go to J.”

“Let J have the blue. It’s his favorite shade and he’ll have a fit if he doesn’t get it,” JC replied. She nodded and set Justin’s clothes down on the table. “Why are they fighting exactly?”

“Justin’s a paranoid lunatic, but that’s not really new,” she replied. “He’s been so freaked out about Trace and I hanging out ‘cause he thinks we’re going to start dating.”

“Do you like Trace like that?”

“No, but J won’t believe me when I tell him so.”

“He is jut fifteen after all.”

“Watch it. I just turned fifteen you know.”

“Yet you have the mature of a thirty-year-old on a good day. They’re boys, just let them fight it out of they need to.” He smiled and lightly flicked her forehead. “Now leave so we can change. He added, “Unless you like what you see.”

“Ha, don’t flatter yourself, Chasez. I’ve seen better.” Just then Justin came flying through the door.

“I know I’m late, I don’t need to hear it from you too,” Justin said as he quickly pulled off his shirt and pulled on the jersey-shirt. “What’s the setlist again?”

“Here We Go, I Thought She Knew, then the dance break, and you’ll end with I Want You Back,” Mack said from where she was tying Joey’s shoe as he fixed his hair.

“Oh, what about Chris’ cake?” Lance asked quietly as Chris put on the yellow hat.

“I got it taken care of,” Mack said with a wave of her hand. She stood and stretched a bit. “Get going and have fun,” she ordered, hugging them all.

“Yes ma’am!” Chris saluted. She ginned while the boys eagerly rushed out of the room.

Chuckling, she started picking up random articles of clothing off of the floor. Thinking a bit, she pulled out her cell phone and dialed Trace’s number. “Hey, do you have the cake?”

“Mrs. Bass and I are returning with it right now, Little Lady,” Trace replied. “Be there in a bit.”

“Ok, bye Trace.” She hung up the phone.

“What’s your relationship with Trace?” Lou asked, coming into the room. Mack whirled around, eyes wide in fear, cursing herself from always getting herself into this situation with her back against the wall. Her eyes darted around the room as she gripped the discarded shirts in her hand. “Don’t you know it’s rude not to reply when someone asks you a question?”

“And don’t you know what you’re doing is against the law you sick pervert?” She asked in a slightly shaky voice.

“As much as you know that, if you tell anyone about us…” he passed and lightly ran his hand up and down her arm, “…then this dream that your little friend has will be over…and it’ll be your fault.”

In a split second she threw the clothes in his face and ran towards the door. He whirled around and closed a fist on her ponytail, yanking her back. She let out a cry of pain, her hands flying back to her head. Lou grabbed her by the elbows and pulled her against him. “Do you see what you do to me?” He muttered into her ear.

Something triggered in her and she suddenly found herself gasping for air as her eyes water. Lou shoved her away and she fell onto her hands and knees. “What’s wrong with you?” he demanded. She continued to make retching sounds as she gasped for air. He looked down at her before rushing out of the room.

“Oh my god.” Trace put the cake down onto a nearby table and rushed to her side. “Mack. Mackie, look at me,” Trace said as he held her face in his hands. “Take slow, deep breaths and tell me where your inhaler is.”

“Momma…Lynn,” she gasped.

“Ok. Stay here and keep taking deep breaths. I’ll go get it.” Trace rushed out of the room and ran down the halls, searching for Lynn. He finally found her and Mrs. Bass standing backstage, waiting anxiously. “Miss Lynn, I need Mack’s inhaler. It’s urgent.”

“Is she ok?” Lynn asked as she dug through her purse.

“Yeah, she’ll be fine.” As soon as the inhaler was in his palm he rushed back to the dressing room. “Here.” Trace knelt by her side and forced the inhaler past her lips, pressing down on the top, giving her her medicine. “It’ll be ok, sweetie,” he mumbled as he pulled her to him, hugging her and gently rocking her as she buried her face in his neck. “Everything will be ok.”

Trace looked up and locked eyes with Justin, who stood in the doorway. Trace held Justin’s faze as he visibly fumed. Trace opened his mouth to say something but Justin left before he could. Trace decided to wait before he went after him, Mack needed him more.

End Notes:
I hope you all had a great Christmas, mine was amazing. Have a happy new year and stay 'n sync.
Nothing Endures But Change by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 17: Nothing Endures But Change

“What’ve you been doing? You haven’t been paying any attention to the movie,” Justin commented when it switched to a commercial. Trace broke his stare and turned to look at Mack as well. The girl didn’t lift her head from the little book that was in her lap. Her glasses were perched on her nose and the end of her pen was in her mouth. When she didn’t answer Justin grabbed one of the many pillows that was behind his head and threw it at her. He grinned when it connected with her head and she glared at him. “Geeze, you’re almost as spacey as C. I asked you a question.”

“I heard you,” she replied, finally lifting her head. “I’m making sure I have this schedule down right.” She motioned to the book in her lap. “As soon as Lynn leaves that practically makes me responsible for you guys because I know that you’re not going to be able to get up and get ready yourselves. Otherwise I’m trying to figure out how to get the guys to Memphis, which you want so bad, but I’m getting stuck.”

“Stuck how?” Trace asked, crossing the small gap between the two hotel beds, sitting next to her and leaning over her shoulder so far that his chin was practically resting on it.

“They’ve expressed different times when they want to be with their families and where. JC and Lance want to spend Thanksgiving in Memphis with us and Christmas at their homes with their families. But Joey, Chris, and Justin want to switch it so they can have Thanksgiving with their families in their homes and have Christmas with us in Memphis,” Mack replied. “I’m trying to find a way around it but the only thing I can think of is the weeks leading up to a certain holiday they can spend in Memphis with us and use both holidays to go back home to be with their families but J really wants to be around them during either holiday.” She let out a growl of frustration before glaring at Justin. “You boys are so finicky.”

Justin gave her a blank stare. “Are you complimenting me or insulting me?” He questioned after a bit.

“A little bit of both, I’ll admit,” she replied, slamming the book shut with a sharp snap. She yawned and looked at the clock. “When do we leave?”

“Around seven,” Trace replied. “That means we’re going to get back around 1 AM because of the time difference.” He looked at the clock himself. “It’s 1 now; you might want to get some sleep.”

“God. It’s all ready 1? How aren’t you tired after the show, J?” Mack asked, taking off her glasses and rubbing her eyes.

“Too much adrenaline,” he replied, shrugging, turning his attention back to the TV. “The energy from the audience and all of that birthday cake got to me. I probably won’t crash until we get on the plane.”

“Whatever, I’m going to sleep like normal people.”

“I’ll walk you to your room,” Trace offered. Mack didn’t know whether to smile at his offer or to punch him in his face. Ever since her asthma attack, or what he likes to call her ‘Panic Episode’ he’s been stuck by her side offering to walk her places as if he were expecting her to drop dead at any moment. It was both endearing and annoying to her.

“Thanks but I think I can walk three feet without something happening,” she replied. He nodded and watched her leave the room.

As soon as the door closed Justin let out a scoffing sound. “What?” Trace asked.

“Why don’t you just run after her and profess your love for her instead of staring at her like some love-sick puppy,” he responded.

“What the hell is your problem lately?” Trace demanded. “I come over here to spend time with my two best friends and the only thing you’re doing is treating me like crap. What have I done? Tell me, I really would like to know.”

Justin jabbed his thumb into the power button and turned to Trace. “If you’re dating her…I want you to tell me right now,” he finally spoke up, locking eyes with Trace.

“I’m not dating her,” Trace groaned, holding his head.

“Bullshit,” Justin shot back. “I saw you two in the dressing room, hugging. That wasn’t a normal hug, Trace.”

“She was having an asthma attack, J,” Trace cried out, throwing his arms into the air. “I was trying to get her to calm down before she passed out from panicking or something.” He sighed heavily and shook his head. “Geeze, if you’re this paranoid around me I’m afraid to see how you’ll get once we get back home and she has the chance to date.”

Justin glared at him before getting underneath the covers. “That won’t happen,” he declared, punching his pillow a bit before settling down.

“What? Her dating or you getting paranoid?” Trace questioned, moving to his roll away bed which was brought up earlier.

“Her dating,” Justin replied, ignoring Trace’s jab.

“What makes you say that?”

“Just…because.”

Trace rolled his eyes. “It’s going to be inevitable, you know. I mean, remember Jake Murphy?” Justin looked at Trace in confusion. “He’s in our class. About this tall, blond hair, green eyes, freckles across his nose.” Justin got a look of recognition on his face. “He has a crush on her.”

That asshole?” Justin demanded and Trace nodded. “No fucking way in hell is he getting anywhere near her. Not if I can do anything about it.”

Justin then grabbed his covers, pulled them over his head, and turned so his back was facing the other bed in the room. Trace stared at his friend for a few seconds before shaking his head and settling into bed himself. He couldn’t remember if Justin had always been that overprotective and that paranoid or if it was just an effect from Trace mentioning that Mack had grown up and Justin hadn’t noticed before. Trace wanted to believe the first one but deep down he knew the answer was the latter.

~*~*~*~*~

“You glad the flight is over?” Lance asked, picking up his carry-on bag and waited in the aisle for Mack to step in front of him.

“You have no idea,” she answered. The flight from Germany to Orlando was nonstop for them, which meant another nine hour flight she had to deal with the guys’ antics. They toned it down a bit since both Lynn and Diane were there. However, as soon as the women fell asleep the guys went back to their annoying ways. Justin’s ways were amplified because he had his partner in crime with him. Add those two with Chris and you get non-stop hilarity for the boys, annoyance for her. Add a heightened paranoia since Lou was sitting a seat away from her so she eventually resembled a shaken bottle of soda ready to explode. “I’m just glad you’re actually sane and know when to leave a chick-who-is-running-on-a-few-hours-of-sleep-alone.”

Someone has to be the smart one of the group,” he said with a grin.

“I’m glad it was you. You’re the only one who can help me with math and not make me want to pull my hair out.” Lance laughed a bit and followed her out of the terminal.

“So what’s the plan again?”

“We’re all going to stay in Orlando,” Mack replied, suddenly having a pep in her step.  “Trace and I came up with the idea early this morning. Everyone’s families are all ready there, if not a part of it so it would be easy to fly the rest of them in. This way we can spend Halloween together as well as Thanksgiving and Christmas.” Mack squinted at the harsh light of the airport. She followed Lance out of the way of the others that were trying to get to their families. “Do you see my mom or my dad?” She asked, standing on her tiptoes, but it didn’t do much to help her look over the heads of the others around her. “Where are they?” She whined, stomping her foot on the ground. Lance chuckled at her childishness and lightly ruffled her hair. She made a face and slapped his hands away, smoothing her hair back into place.

“God, it’s about time we got here,” Justin commented as he dropped his bags by a set of chairs and stretched his arms over his head. “I’m ready to get some sleep. What time is it anyway?”

“A little after 1:15,” JC replied, rubbing his eyes and yawning. “Man, I could crash right here if I wanted to.”

“I don’t think your body needs permission,” Mack replied, lightly poking him in the side. He tumbled into a chair and let out a long breath, closing his eyes. Justin and Lance smiled sleepily as JC got comfortable in the chair.

“I have to say this is the first time that Chris is ever quiet,” Joey said as he lightly nudged Chris on the shoulder.

“Shu…” he paused to yawn, “Shut up.”

“Momma, can we go home now?” Justin asked as soon as Lynn and Diane came into view.

“I think you’re going to want to wait for a few minutes,” Lynn replied, smiling a little.

Justin was about to ask why when he felt small arms wrap around his legs. He looked down and instantly the tired look on his face was replaced with a look of excitement. “Jonathan!” He exclaimed, picking up his little (half) brother and hugging him close. “Oh, I missed you so much, Little Man,” he mumbled, squeezing his brother.

“Justie let me go!” Jonathan giggled as he tried to get out of Justin’s grasp.

Justin let out a fake gasp. “I’ve been away for a few months and all ready you hate me?”

“Maybe,” Jonathan giggled again.

“I know how to fix that.” An evil grin crossed his features. “I can make you change your mind by…tickling!

“Nooo!” Jonathan gasped before dissolving into giggles as Justin’s fingers flew across his stomach. The others smiled at the cute exchange as they searched the terminal for their own families. Chris spotted his mother and jumped over the sets of chairs as if they were hurdles to get to her. Joey’s mother found him and pulled him into a bone crushing hug. Lance found his family when he recognized Stacey’s shriek of happiness, and JC met with his family when Heather almost tackled JC to the ground once she spotted him.

Trace tapped Mack’s shoulder. “I see your dad.” He pointed in between a few people. She followed the direction of his finger and saw her dad standing a bit away from the sitting area, holding a dog carrier, and waving.

Daddy!” Mack threw down her bags and ran towards him, practically shoving people out of her way as she made a beeline for her dad. He put the carrier down on the ground and held out his arms, scooping up his daughter, easily lifting her off of the ground and swinging her around as he hugged her tight. “I missed you so much, Daddy.”

“I missed you too, Baby Girl,” he replied, putting her down and held her at arms’ length. She grinned as he stared at her head. “I like the dye job.” He nodded his approval and Mack beamed. “May I ask why you did it?”

“I needed a change,” she replied. “I was going with Lynn and J to a salon anyway and I thought, what the heck, why not dye parts of my hair blue?” She paused. “Do you really like it or are you just trying to make me feel good.”

“A little bit of both,” he admitted before pulling her into another hug. “I have a surprise for you, sweetie,” he said as he motioned to the dog carrier where barks were coming out of.

“Little J!” She exclaimed, dropping to her knees, reaching for the latch.

“Before you open it, you have to know something,” Philippe started but she had all ready tugged on the latch. Little J burst out of the cage and jumped onto her knees, reaching up to lick her face. Following it was a black and white puppy and a ginger and white puppy, yipping happily.

“Whoa. You got me more dogs?” Mack asked, scratching Little J’s head.

“Not exactly,” Philippe replied. “Turns out Little J had adopted a few lost puppies that we had found. Your mother and I decided to give some of them away. We wanted you to decide on what to do with the last two. If you want to keep them we can and if you want to give them away you get to decide who to give them to.”

“Cool.” Mack put down Little J and scooped up the small black and white puppy. “Hey cutie,” she cooed. The puppy looked at her with big eyes and gently licked her nose. “I want to keep this one. We’ll call”––she paused and looked under the dog–– “We’ll call him…Oreo! Yeah.” She then picked up the other puppy as Philippe ushered Little J back into the cage.

“What do you want to do with the other one?” Philippe asked.

“Hmmm.” Mack thought about it as she walked over to the guys who were conversing in a group with the other parents. “Hey guys, look!” They turned their attention to the puppies that were in her arms. “Little J ‘adopted’ some puppies. This one is Oreo,” Mack said as she held out the black and white puppy.

“Puppy!” Jonathan cooed, reaching out his arms. Justin gently transferred the puppy into his arms so Jonathan could reach him. All the while Philippe was taking pictures of the group cooing over the dogs.

“Did you name the other one?” Chris asked, scratching the head of the brown and white dog.

“Well, I thought JC could do it,” Mack replied, turning to him.

“Huh? Me? Why?” He asked.

“I remember how you said that your dog died a few years ago, Grits, right?” She asked. He nodded. “Mom and Dad said I could decide what to do with these two dogs. I decided to keep Oreo and I want to give the other one to you and your family. I know she won’t replace Grits but I figured this would be the perfect time for you to get a new one.”

“Can we keep her?” Heather asked Karen.

“Yeah, please?” Tyler begged. Heather grabbed onto Roy’s arm while Tyler looked at Karen with pleading eyes.

“I think that’s for JC to decided,” Karen replied lightly running her hand through Tyler’s hair. She chuckled when Tyler jerked his head away and ran over to his brother.

“Please take the puppy. Heather and I can take care of her when you’re gone, we promise,” Tyler begged, clasping his hands together and looking up at his older brother. “Please? Please?”

“You know if I say no to them they’ll be on my case until I make it up to them somehow, right?” JC asked Mack. She grinned and nodded. “Ok, but you have to clean up after her,” he told Tyler, “and you have to feed her,” he told Heather. They nodded eagerly and cheered, causing JC to chuckle. “Thanks Mack,” he turned to her.

She shrugged. “It’s no big deal. I’m sure my mom and dad wouldn’t want to have to look after two new puppies while I’m gone.” She then turned to Johnny. “Unless there was some way I could take them with me,” she added in a hope filled voice.

“We’ll talk about it later,” Johnny replied, laughing. “I expect you all to get the rest you need while you’re here. Too soon you’ll be back in Germany going on tour and I need you all as alert and ready to go as possible. If hear about any of you going clubbing into the wee hours of the morning–”

Joey!” Justin fake coughed making Jonathan laugh.

“I won’t hesitate to keep you guys on lockdown from any outside form of entertainment on your off days,” Johnny continued. “Is that clear?”

“Yes sir,” the boys chorused.

“Good. Ok, get out of here and enjoy your break. You deserve it. Just have your phones ready just in case I need to reach you.”

The boys agreed, gathered their things, and made their way to the baggage claim, suddenly quiet as their drowsiness washed over them. Even Chris was too tired to make a comment on how much JC resembled a Zombie because of the way he was walking and how puffy his eyes were. Trace was the only one out of all of them who seemed to be the most awake so he took Jonathan from Justin so he could walk with his mother, which ended up being him leaning against his mother since he was so tired.

“As soon as I get home I’m going to sleep and not wake up until dinner time,” Mack mumbled from Philippe’s side. He chuckled and kept his arm around her shoulders. “Daddy, why isn’t Mom here? Was she too tired to come?” She asked after a few minutes of silence. She looked up when she heard, more like felt, her father suck in his breath. “What is it?” She asked, searching his face for an answer. “Is something wrong?”

“No, sweetie,” Philippe replied. “It’s just…your mother’s not there,” he replied.

Mack looked at him in confusion. “She’s not?”

“No, she’s in Memphis.”

“Is something wrong? Did something happen to Gramma and Pop-Pop?” Mack asked, her eyes wide in alarm. The sudden rise in her tone caused Oreo to wake up and frantically look around and she struggled to hold onto him.

“No, nothing happened,” Philippe replied. “She just wanted to take a break from the hustle and bustle of Orlando, that’s all.”

“But why?” She asked, holding onto Oreo tighter while he pulled her suitcase off of the slow moving track. “She loves Orlando.”

“She does,” Philippe reassured her. “She just wanted a break, that’s all.”

“But couldn’t she wait until I came back?”

“She’ll be back soon. She can’t wait to see you.”

“Ok,” Mack sighed. She studied her father’s voice when he wasn’t paying attention to her. Something about his tone made her worry. It was like he was uncertain himself, like there was something wrong. She wanted to ask him about it, to demand that he tell the truth but she knew he wouldn’t tell her anything. He would just feed her some sugar-coated fact and she was too tired to put her foot down. She nodded when Justin said something about calling her so they could do something later. She wasn’t paying much attention, the only thing that had her attention were her drooping eyelids.

~*~*~*~*~

“Ok, on a scale of 1 to 10, are these shoes better?”

“Is get the hell away from me before I punch you in the kidneys a choice?” Mack mumbled without opening her eyes. “How’d you get in anyway?”

“Your dad let me in,” Justin replied, sitting down at the end of the couch that she currently occupied. Little J and Oreo were sleeping in the small bed directly beneath her. “How can you still be asleep? It’s one in the afternoon. Come on, I want to do something,” he begged, grabbing her hand and tugging it like a little kid.

“Jus, if she wants to sleep let her,” Trace’s voice came from somewhere above her head.

“No, no, I’m up,” Mack said as she sat up, rubbing her eyes. “I have to go to the pet store anyway.” She took a look at the shoes that were in Justin’s hands. “The blue ones are better.” He nodded and dropped the other pair. The thud caused Little J and Oreo to wake up. “Oh no, you don’t want to do that.” Before Justin could ask why Oreo and Little J jumped out of the bed and started gnawing on his dropped shoes. “They like to chew on shoes.”

“They can have those, they’re old.” Justin shrugged and tied his shoes. “Hey, let’s call Jace and bring him with us. He’s going to need some dog stuff too.” He reached for the landline.

“Don’t!” Mack called so suddenly it caused him and Trace to jump. “I’m expecting Mom to call,” she continued.

“You have a cell phone, she’ll call that,” Justin said as he picked up the phone and dialed the Chasez number.

“Whatever.” She folded up the blankets that were on the couch and placed her pillow on top of it. She hummed a random song as she climbed the stairs and put the blankets and pillow away in the closet. She turned and jumped back when she saw Trace standing near her. “What the hell, Trace? Are you trying to give me a heart attack?” She grumbled.

“I wouldn’t want to be responsible for your death,” he replied. “Are you ok?” He squinted a bit. “You seem on edge.” He got a little smile.

“Didn’t sleep well,” she replied, rubbing her eye with her palm. “I was waiting for Mom to call. She knew I was getting back today. I just don’t get why she hasn’t called yet.”

“Why don’t you try calling her?” He suggested.

“Goes straight to voice mail and whenever I call Gramma’s house she says that Momma’s out doing stuff. Come on, what can she be doing back home? She doesn’t have much to do except talk to some people down at the diner but even then she told me that it gets boring listening to the town gossip all day.” She paused. “Why would she suddenly leave without telling me?” She shook her head. “Something’s going on, I know that for sure. Dad won’t tell me anything either.”

“Maybe they’re planning a surprise for you,” Trace suggested.

Mack shook her head. “They’re too…obvious when they’re planning a surprise. I’m actually surprised they haven’t found out that I know when they’re planning one. No, they’re acting too secretive.” Her eyes suddenly widened. “Maybe Gramma or Pop-Pop has cancer!”

“I’m sure they would’ve told you if that were the case,” Trace pointed out. “You’re worrying over nothing, I bet.”

“Maybe you’re right,” she agreed.

“Of course I’m right. When am I ever wrong?” Trace asked.

Mack lifted an eyebrow.”That time you convinced Justin and me to mix soda with mentos.”

Trace laughed at the memory. “It’s not my fault you two were young and stupid.”

“You’re also the one who convinced J to pee on an electric fence, throw a flaming hair dryer into a full bathtub, jump off of the roof with a blanket, jump on a trampoline with bowling balls, throw a mini fridge out a window–”

Trace waved his hands, interrupting her. “I get it. But I’m right this time. Trust me.”

“I don’t think I want you. You’ve given me plenty of reasons not to,” she said with a teasing grin as the two headed back to the living room where Justin was trying to wrestle one of his shoes away from Little J. Oreo ran back and forth, barking as if to cheer them both on. She slowly shook her head as she chuckled.

“What?” Trace asked.

“Justin’s too cute sometimes.”

“Oh.”

“Heyyy.” Heather rushed over to Mack and pulled her into a hug which Mack eagerly returned. “C’mon, Josh is waiting in the car with Coco.”

“Of all the things to name that dog JC named it something as lame as Coco?” Justin snorted, rolling his eyes. Heather just shrugged and pulled Mack out of the house, leaving Trace and Justin to round up Little J and Oreo.

 “So how’s Maryland treating you?” Mack asked Heather as the group walked down the isle of Petsmart.

“Same as always,” Heather replied, shrugging. “It’s not like Orlando, that’s for sure. I actually had to get used to the cold again.” She laughed a little. “The only thing I didn’t get used to is being able to talk to you every day.”

“Yeah, I know. I miss hanging out after school all the time,” Mack agreed, keeping a tight grip on Little J’s leash with one hand and a tight grip on Oreo with her other hand. “Remember how we used to go to ride jet skis every day?”

“And then we’d go to the Sweet Factory and buy pounds of candy?” Heather continued, laughing a bit.

“And the candy we didn’t finish we’d give to little kids at the park and some of the parents gave us those evils looks because–”

“Their kids would be hyper for the rest of the day!” The two finished in unison dissolving into laughter. The guys paused to look back at them before shrugging and continuing their search.

“Man, we were some wild kids,” Heather said as she dabbed at her eyes which were beginning to tear from laughing so hard.

“Hey now, don’t make me sound old. I’m only fifteen,” Mack pointed out.

“Yeah.” Heather stayed silent for a bit. “So, I have a boyfriend now.”

Mack lifted her eyebrows. “Really?” Heather nodded. “When did that happen?”

“Uh, about a year ago. I would’ve told you but with the time difference…” Mack nodded. “His name’s Liam. He’s a lacrosse player. He’s really nice; you’d like him if you two met. I sent you some pictures.”

“Yeah, he’s…ok.” Mack shrugged.

“Ok?” Heather repeated. “Mack, he’s cute and so nice and…perfect. Even Josh would approve of him and he can’t seem to deal with the fact that I’m growing up.”

“I know what you mean,” Mack grumbled.

“What, you have a boyfriend and you didn’t tell me?” Mack laughed out loud. Her, have a boyfriend? Mack and boyfriend were like pickles and ice cream, they just don’t seem to work. “I guess not.”

“I mean the growing up thing,” Mack said. “Lance seems to be the only one who actually acknowledges the fact that I’m not the same fourteen-year-old they seem to want to hold on to. I get that they want to protect me and stuff but you know me, all I need is my sharp tongue and my ass-kicking feet and I’m good to go.”

Heather chuckled. “Same ol’ Mack.”

“Thank God I’m the same. I don’t think I’d be able to stand it if something else changed,” she muttered under her breath but Heather caught it.

“What do you mean?”

“Justin’s been acting funny lately and he won’t tell e why, which is weird since he always tells me stuff. Trace is acting funny but not in a way that Justin’s acting funny. My dad is acting funny whenever I mention Mom and my mom went back to Memphis without telling me and won’t answer whenever I call her. Basically, something funny is going on and I want to know what it is but nooooooo, no one will tell me anything!”

Heather laughed a bit at the frustrated look on Mack’s face when she realized she couldn’t throw her hands into the air in frustration. “It seems to me that Justin just doesn’t want you to grow up. For your parents, something may be going on that they don’t want you to know about yet. Parents are weird like that. For Trace, well, how weird is he acting?” She lowered her voice in case he heard her.

“He, I don’t know, he’s being more helpful even when I don’t need it. And, um, he kinda sticks around a bit more, not that I’m complaining. And he, um, he checks in from time to time to see how I’m doing, saying that he’s there to talk and stuff,” Mack replied.

“Damn, Macks,” Heather commented.

“What?” She asked in alarm, struggling to keep a tight hold on Little J’s leash as he tugged against it to bark at the tanks filled with fish.

“I hate to say it…but I think he has a crush on you.” Mack whipped her head up and Heather shrugged. “That’s what it sounds like to me. Guys don’t pay that much attention to a girl unless they’re interested and Trace is interested.”

“But–he–I…no!” Mack spluttered. “No. There is no way that Trace likes me.”

“Wanna bet?”

“Yeah, how much?”

“Twenty bucks says he asks you out today.”

“That’ll be an easy twenty I’ve ever made.”

They managed to shake hands, both of the girls smirking at each other thinking that they’ll easily get twenty dollars. After spending twenty more minutes in the store they finally picked things out and made their way back to the car to get back to their respective houses.

“Hey, no barking you two,” Mack scolded Oreo and Little J as she carried them in their bed to the front door. “You’re going to be sharing that space, you know.”

“Uh, Mack, wait up a sec,” Trace called, moving up the steps behind her. She stepped, holding her key up in the air, and looked at him, a questioning look in her eyes. “I was wondering if you’d, maybe, want to hang out with me tonight? If you’re not busy, that is. I mean, we never really got a chance to talk. I want to know how’re you’re doing with your dancing and stuff.” He rubbed the back of his neck. “So, um, will you?”

“Uhhhh…” Mack’s eyes shifted from Trace’s face to the car that was waiting in the driveway and back. She sighed. “Sure, Trace. Sounds like fun,” she said with a small smile.

He beamed. “Great. I’ll get you around seven, ok?” She nodded and he nodded in return, gave a small wave, and ran back down the stairs.

Mack managed to balance the bed in her arms and open the door. She closed it behind her with her foot, leaning against the door as she heard the muffled sounds of the car driving away. “Well guys,” she sighed, looking down at Oreo and Little J, “looks like I lost the twenty dollars.”

End Notes:
Now, you can only expect Justin to go crazy once he finds out about them...if he finds out that is, you'll never know unless you check back in. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please read and review.
Hate is a Strong Word but I Really Really Really Don’t Like You by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 18: Hate is a Strong Word but I Really Really Really Don’t Like You

“So, um, I was wondering if you’d do me a favor, Miss Lynn,” Trace said as he watched her move around the kitchen, preparing dinner for everyone. It was a family dinner/farewell dinner thing. The Chasezs, the Kirkpatricks, and the Timberlakes were going to go back to Maryland, Pensylvania and Memphis, respectively, the next day and Lynn was making a huge dinner for everyone. She had been working in the kitchen all day, refusing help whenever Karen or Heather offered, saying that she would rather do it herself.

“What is it, honey?” She asked, wiping her hands off on a dish towel as she looked around the kitchen as if searching for something else to prepare.

“Well, um, Mack and I are going to hang out tonight,” Trace started, wiping his sweaty palms on his pants. “And, um, it’s kind of a big deal since I haven’t been able to hang out with her in a while.” He paused to clear his throat and Lynn looked at him with raised eyebrows. “J doesn’t know that we’re hanging out and, um, I was wondering if you could keep it that way.” Trace cleared his throat again and a slow smile formed on Lynn’s face. “J’s really paranoid and he wouldn’t understand why I wanted to hang out with her by myself so…I was hoping you’d tell him I was out getting groceries or something.”

The smile never left Lynn’s face; it only got wider as Trace continued talking, well, more like stammering. Once Trace finally stopped talking he noticed the smile on Lynn’s face and blushed as he shifted under her gaze. “Ok,” Lynn replied, nodding, turning her attention back to the pot that was on top of the stove. “Just get back by eleven. Even though you’re not my son I can still ground you/”

“Thank you so much, Miss Lynn. I’ll be back before eleven, I promise,” Trace said as he started to leave the kitchen.

“Trace?”

He stopped at the door and turned around. “Yes?” He asked.

Lynn turned from the stove top. “She likes white roses.”

Trace smiled. “I know, Miss Lynn. And thanks.”

Lynn chuckled as she checked on the food once more. She always thought that Justin and Mack would end up together but she had a feeling that Trace had liked her all along and he practically confirmed it for her. She had her suspicions ever since their fishing trip of ’90 when Trace had carried her all the way back to the campsite after she had hurt her ankle. Since then they’ve been protective of her; Justin was protective in a more hands-on way whereas Trace was protective in a subtle way, but he had a different motivation than Justin did.

“Hey Momma, is it dinnertime yet?” Justin asked walking into the kitchen. He paused, sniffed the air, and smiled. “Smells really good. Do you need some help setting the table or anything?”

Lynn put down the dishtowel that was in her hand and placed her hand on his forehead. “You don’t have a fever. Are you sure you’re my son?” She joked.

Justin grinned and moved away so her hand fell to her side. “It’s still me, Momma. I just got tired of beating everyone at video games and they wouldn’t play basketball with me. I even asked Mack if she would but she said she was busy, which was weird because she usually comes and plays with me anyway.”

Lynn sighed. “Justin, you know she can’t always go running at your beck-and-call.”

Justin paused as he set a plate down on the table. He sighed himself; shaking his head he continued setting the large table. “You know, I’m getting tired of you guys telling me that. I mean, it’s not just you. It’s JC and the other guys too. It’s not my fault she likes spending time with me and helping me out when I ask for the help.”

“Yeah, but sweetie, you have a tendency to whine and plead until you get your way,” Lynn added. “I’m not saying this to hurt you or anything, you know that sweetie. It’s just something you need to know.”

“Yeah yeah,” Justin mumbled in a dismissive tone as he finished setting the table. He looked up and saw Jonathan wandering through the doorway, looking around. “Hey buddy.” Justin picked up Jonathan and held him against his side. “Do you want to help me set the table?”

“Yeah!” Jonathan replied, nodding his head.

“Ok, you can help me put out the napkins.”

Lynn watched with a smile as Justin showed Jonathan how to fold the napkin and then let Jonathan put the napkin down next to each plate. Lynn was worried that the two wouldn’t get along at first because Justin was a little bitter about the fact that his father was having another child with a different woman. After Justin held Jonathan for the first time Lynn’s fears went away, especially when Justin showed eagerness in helping out as Jonathan grew up.

“Is everything ok, Lynn?” Paul asked his wife, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Lynn nodded and dabbed at her eyes. “I just never noticed how much Justin has grown up, that’s all,” she replied. “To me he’s still my little boy.”

Paul pulled her into a hug and kissed her temple. “He’s going to have to grow up sooner or later.”

“I know. I just wish it weren’t this soon. I won’t be able to protect him for long and, to be honest, it really scares me.” Paul kissed the side of her head before calling everyone for dinner. Justin helped Jonathan into his seat before sitting down himself. He stared longingly at the food that was being put on the table that he could hardly contain himself. He slowly reached out a finger to take a little scoop of mashed potatoes but a hand slapped the back of his. “Be patient,” Lynn scolded as Justin waved his hand.

JC chuckled as he sat down in between his brother and sister, across from Justin. Justin waited until Lynn wasn’t looking and flipped him off. Justin sighed heavily as everyone made their way into the room. They were taking too long. “Momma, where’s Trace again?” Justin called. “Can we start without him?”

“We don’t have to wait,” Lynn replied, sitting down herself. “He called and said the line at the store was long so he won’t be home for a bit.”

Justin was about to nod when something in the corner of his eye caught his attention. He turned his head slightly to look out the window and counted the cars in the driveway. They were all there. Justin’s eyebrows crinkled in confusion. Wouldn’t someone take a care to get to the store? Especially in Orlando, he knew Trace wouldn’t walk there.

Justin tapped his chin, ignoring the curious look that JC was shooting him. Trace wouldn’t randomly go to the store. At night even. Not even if Lynn asked him, Trace hated going to the store. So why was Lynn acting funny? Come to think of it, Mack had been acting funny as well. Justin immediately picked up on the distracted tone in her voice, as if she had her mind on something else or she was going to go somewhere. So, both Trace and Mack weren’t at home…

Justin’s mouth slowly fell open as it dawned on him. How could he be so stupid? All of the questions Trace had asked, him being so “helpful” lately? How could he not see it? Trace was crushing on their best friend. Justin’s lower lip twitched slightly.

“Jace, I need to talk to you,” Justin said as he jumped up.

“Can it wait?”

“No!”

Justin jumped up, rushed around the table, and grabbed JC’s arm, easily pulling him out of the chair and into the hallway. “What’s up?” JC asked, rubbing his arm.

“My two so-called best friends are what’s up,” Justin replied, crossing his arms over his chest and rapidly tapped his fingers against his arms, looking like an angered parent.

“What’d they do?”

“They sneaking around behind my back, that’s what!” Justin hissed, throwing his arms into the air. “Momma said that Trace went out for groceries. Come on! At night? Trace hates shopping; I don’t see why he would go, even if my mom asked him to.”

“People do go shopping at night,” JC pointed out.

“Ok, then what about Mack? She wouldn’t tell me what she was doing later tonight, why she couldn’t play some basketball with me. She tells me everything.”

JC studied his face. “Are you sure she tells you everything?” He questioned. Justin nodded rapidly. “Are you sure? ‘Cause it really wouldn’t surprise me if Heather knows more things about her than you do, heck, it wouldn’t surprise me if Britney and Christina know more about her than you.”

“That’s impossible,” Justin denied automatically. “Here’s the thing, when you go shopping for groceries you usually take a car, right?” He didn’t wait for JC to answer. “Trace didn’t take a care. And it’s too far of a walk between here and the city to carry groceries. No, they’re doing something behind my back and you want to know what I think?”

“You’re not going to let me eat otherwise so let’s hear it,” JC responded.

“I think they’re out on a date,” Justin replied. JC lifted an eyebrow as Justin continued to rant. “It would explain why Trace has been acting so funny lately. I mean, he’s been so…protective of her.”

“You do the same thing,” JC pointed out.

“That’s beside the point,” Justin said with a wave of his hand. JC made a scoffing sound but Justin ignored him. “Do you know what this means? What happens if they do get together? Then they’ll be spending more time with each other than she will with me. And what if they break up? Then their friendship will be ruined and I’ll be stuck in the middle of their fighting.”

“Ok, for one thing, you’re going crazy over nothing,” JC finally spoke up. “2) She doesn’t have to report to you whenever she does something or goes out with someone. 3) So what if they start dating? You should be happy for them. And that doesn’t mean that she’ll spend more time with him. I mean, you’re her best friend and she finds time to spend with each of us separately.”

“Mhm,” Justin said in a distracted tone as he pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number. JC muttered something that sounded like ‘you’re going to regret this’ but Justin ignored it. “Hey Joey? What are you doing right now? I need you to meet me by the Hard Rock Café. Oh, and wear dark clothes and bring comfortable shoes. Call Lance to pass on the message.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

‘Calm down Trace. There’s nothing different about this. You’re just hanging out and having dinner like usual. She’s still your best friend…you’re very cute best friend, but your best friend nonetheless. There’s nothing different about it.’ Trace groaned and grabbed his head as he continued pacing on the front porch. ‘Who’re you kidding? You’re about to have a heart attack just thinking about it. Just knock on the damn door all ready and stop pacing like a moron!’

Trace dropped his hands from his head and let out a breath. He looked at the white rose that was in his hands and lightly ran a finger across the petals. He still couldn’t believe that he had asked her out. He still couldn’t believe she had said yes, even though there was a good chance she didn’t realize he was asking her out. But it didn’t matter to him. She said yes and that was good enough for him.

He’s been dreaming of that moment for years, well, since he first visited her after she and Justin moved to Orlando. She was a cute twelve-year-old, her eyes were still the same bright blue, but something about her was different. Something that Trace couldn’t put his finger on but he was dying to find out what it was. But he liked the mystery.

“If you keep pacing you’re going to wear a hole in my porch,” Philippe commented so suddenly it caused Trace to let out a little shriek and jump. “A little nervous, eh?”

“Uh, well, no,” Trace stammered. “I just…”

Philippe held up his hand and stopped him from speaking. “I trust you since I’ve seen you grow up, but that won’t excuse the fact that if I find out that you’ve hurt my daughter–”

“Mr. D, I assure you that is the last thing I would ever do is hurt your daughter,” Trace replied. “She’s my friend; I wouldn’t want to risk our friendship like that.”

“Don’t you think you’re doing that by asking her out?”

Trace’s mouth fell open but nothing came out. He had to admit that Philippe had a point, but it was a risk that Trace was willing to take. He could see himself being happy with her, they all ready knew each other and they could trust each other. And all great couples started out as friends first, right?

“Papa, ne fais pas peur emmené,” Mack commented, appearing at the door, grinning up at her father. “Ce n'est que trace, il ne serait pas mal à une mouche.”

“Je voulais juste vous assurer que vous ne serait pas se blesser, ma petite fleur,” he replied, kissing the top of her head. She chuckled and ushered him back inside the house.

“Um, what was that about?” Trace asked.

“Dad just being the worry-wart that he is,” she replied with a little shrug.

“Ah.” Trace nodded and suddenly remembered what was in his hands. “Oh, here.” He held out the flower.

“Thanks. Oh, and it’s my favorite kind too.” She beamed and Trace was instantly calmed. “I’ll go put this in water and then I’ll be right out.”

“Take your time.”

Mack went back into the kitchen, found a vase in the pantry, and filled it with water, all the while her father was watching her. “What is it, Dad?” She asked without looking around.

“Just noticing how grown up you are, that’s all,” he replied, coming behind her and kissing the top of her head.

“I was forced to, remember?” She asked, turning around and locking eyes with him.

“Yeah, I remember,” he replied. “Don’t keep your friend waiting,” he said after a couple of seconds of silence.

“Curfew?” She asked.

“11.”

“Ok, bye Dad. Tell me if Momma calls.”

“I will, have fun.”

Mack finally stepped out on the porch and closed the door behind her. She checked her pocket for keys before smiling at Trace. “Ready to go?”

“Yeah.” Trace nodded and they started their walk into the city. “I was thinking we could just go to a diner or something and talk. I’m really not in the mood to go to a movie or anything.”

“I know a good ice cream place that serves frozen yogurt and snow cones,” Mack offered.

“Ok.” Trace nodded again. “So how was Germany and Sweden?”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Why are we doing this?” Lance asked, crouching down behind some bushes.

“Because Justin is a paranoid freak,” JC replied, shifting a bit and moving the rock that was under his stomach.

“Which part of a messed up friendship do you not understand?” Justin hissed.

“What part of you should be happy for them do you not understand?” JC shot back. He let out an annoyed breath. “I hate to say it J, but you’re being selfish.”

“C has a point,” Joey agreed. “You’re setting a double standard.”

Justin lowered the binoculars that were in his head and looked around at all of his friends as if they were crazy. How could they not understand that his friendship was on the line? He was happy that they were getting along really well (maybe a little too well for his liking) but he was only doing this because he didn’t want their strong friendship to break.

That’s what he feared the most. For their friendships to just dissolve into nothing and they stop talking to each other. It would be like if ‘N Sync suddenly broke up and they all stopped talking to each other, he wouldn’t be able to deal with the hostility, the glares, the silence. If he was going crazy, then he didn’t want to be sane. He felt that what he was doing was right and if that meant making his friends miserable to keep them as friends than he’d do anything that acme to his much, such as spying on their date, or whatever it was they were doing.

“Guys, you just…you just don’t get it,” he muttered shaking his head. “I’m not crazy, I’m not setting a double standard, and I’m not doing anything but being a good friend.”

“Explain how you trying to sabotage a date is you being a good friend,” Lance spoke up.

“Because Trace and I are the only friends she has!” Justin blurted out. “Back home, everyone hated her. The girls hated her because she was ‘different’ than them, she wasn’t made in the same mold so to speak. The guys hated her because she was better at sports than they were. That’s why she hung out with Trace and I only. Then when she came here and started school, sure she was friends with Heather, but everyone hated her here because she knew me, she knew JC, and because they thought she thought that she was better than them because she was going to Europe to choreograph stuff for us. They bullied her all of the time, no matter where she goes she gets bullied. Trace and I…we protected her from that. We’re, like, the only ones she feels comfortable around aside from you guys. If those two get together and for some reason they break up, that’s it. Their friendship is ruined, my friendship with them is ruined, everything I’ve worked hard to build between us is ruined and I don’t want that.”

“So why don’t you just talk to them?” JC asked.

“Because they’re both hard headed, I figured you would’ve figured that one out by now,” Justin explained. “I know I sound crazy, but I have to do this. I know that she’s going to be mad at me for a bit, but I’m trying to get them to see what this could possibly do.”

“Whatever, J,” Joey said, shaking his head. “But if we get caught–”

When we get caught–” Lance interrupted him.

“Right, when we get caught, you’re going through this alone because this was your stupid idea.”

“You’re not even going to stick by me?”

“Not when you’re doing something so stupid,” JC replied. “But we don’t expect you to understand, you’re only fifteen after all.”

“Almost sixteen!” Justin added.

“Whatever.”

Justin lifted his binoculars to his face again and searched the crowded area before spotting his best friends sitting at a table. He couldn’t hear what they were saying over the other conversations that were around him but it was obvious by Mack’s laughter that Trace had said something funny to her. He smiled, a proud smile, as if he were glad that he was able to make his friend laugh. Justin itched to use the water balloons that he had brought but something stopped him. He didn’t know what but the force was strong. He couldn’t bring himself to order the guys to launch the balloons.

Maybe the guys were right…

Justin sighed and dropped his binoculars. “Guys…let’s go home,” he mumbled.

What?” They cried out in unison.

“You’re telling me that you made me miss dinner and dress in black, fill up balloons with water, and come out here just for you to say we should go back?” Chris demanded. Justin nodded. “Screw that, I’m using at least one of these balloons.” He reached into the bag they brought and pulled out a large water balloon. He squeezed it a bit in his hands, grinned, and got up on his knees, getting ready to throw it.

“Chris, no!” Justin cried, grabbed his wrist with his hands to try and get Chris to let go.

“Lay off, Kiddo! I have to throw one of these!” Chris said as he tried to pry Justin off of his arm.

“Don’t! Just leave them alone!”

“Chris can’t ever resist the temptation,” JC pointed out, his voice laced with worry as he, too, got to his knees. “Chris, drop it!”

“Oh come on guys! I can’t pass up this opportunity!” Chris grunted, trying to pry the curly-haired squirt off of him (squirt in a younger sense, of course ‘cause Justin’s towered over Chris since he hit his growth spurt).

JC, Justin, and Chris all struggled to get control of the water balloon as Joey and Lance tried to shush them so they wouldn’t attract attention, but they were doing a bad job. A guy at the counter had spotted them and was making their way over to them. As soon as the guy reached them and opened his mouth to tell them off Chris had pried his hand away from JC and Justin, but the force of it made him accidentally swing his hand forward and hit the guy with the water balloon. The guy stumbled backwards, crashing into a couple who were happily sipping their milkshakes. ‘N Sync watched in horror as the milkshakes went flying and landed on the ground. That, in turn, caused a different customer to slip in it, hitting the back of Trace’s chair. The force of the hit caused him to knock his own milkshake onto Mack’s lap. She backed up her chair to go to the bathroom but that, in turn, hit a girl who was passing by and she dropped her sundae bowl all over Mack’s head.

“Oh no,” Justin whispered, covering his mouth with his hand.

“Justin, look what you did,” Chris muttered.

Me? I’m not the one who threw the fucking thing!”

“If you didn’t try and stop me then this wouldn’t be a problem!”

“What…the hell…are you guys…doing here?” The guys froze before slowly lifting their heads and locking eyes with Mack’s piercing glare. She broke it for a split second to wipe the milkshake that was dripping down her nose. “The one time your lives you’re actually quiet,” she muttered sarcastically. “One of you better answer me before I kick your asses.”

“It was his idea!” Chris said as he shoved Justin a bit.

“Should’ve known, only you’d pull a jackass move like this,” she muttered, squeezing her hair.

“Now, wait a minute, let me explain–” Justin started.

“Explain what? Explain why you were following me? Explain why you feel the need to have to know where I am 24/7. Explain why you think I need to report to you?” If possible her glare hardened but her voice was shaking slightly as she took in a breath. “The only thing you need to explain to me is why the hell you’re being such a sucky friend.”

“Mack–”

She held up her hand and stopped him from speaking. “I knew you were protective of me, but this is ridiculous.”

“I’m sorry!” Justin blurted out. “I just…I wasn’t thinking straight.”

“No fuck,” she replied. “And you.” She glared at the others. “You went along with this stupid plan?”

“No!” Lance cried out. “We were trying to stop him, honest.”

“You know what…? Just…stay the fuck away from me. All of you.” She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. Trace gently placed a hand on her shoulder and started to lead her away. He paused to look at Justin. Justin nodded, as if being able to read Trace’s mind, and Trace walked away with her.

Justin slumped back and held his head in his hands.

“Are you ok?” JC asked softly.

“No,” Justin mumbled. “Because I hurt my best friend and that was something I was trying to avoid. And you know what’s worse?” He didn’t wait for them to answer. “I made her cry.”

End Notes:

Looks like Jusitn finally learned something but messed up his friendship at the same time. But you know J, he won't let their friendship break so easily. Please read and review.

Also, ollow me on twitter, under the name Mack_Attack22 if you have an questions or anything. 

I Know the Truth No Matter What You Say by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 19: I Know the Truth No Matter What You Say

Trace didn’t say a word the entire walk home. He didn’t say a word when Philippe gave him a questioning (or was it an intimidating) glance. He didn’t even say a word as soon as he got back to the Harless place and went straight to the room he was sharing with Justin. He could feel Justin’s eyes boring holes into the side of his head as he moved around getting himself comfortable. Well, as comfortable as he could be, trying to maneuver around the elephant in the room.

Justin had a million questions running though his head but he didn’t know how to ask them. Were they dating? Were they a couple? How come they didn’t tell him? When did it happen? Why? He didn’t know which one to ask first but something decided to tumble out of his mouth.

“Er…sorry.” It came out more as a question than an apology but at least he said something. Trace looked up from the book he was reading and locked eyes with Justin, not saying a word. “About overreacting I mean,” Justin continued. “It’s just…I can’t accept that Mack isn’t the same seven-year-old that would always come to me to kill a spider. I can’t accept that she doesn’t need my help with anything anymore.”

“That’s not true,” Trace finally spoke up. “She gets you to help her kill the spider, and when you can’t do I step up. It’s always been like that.” Justin cracked a smile as Trace put his book down on his lap. “Seriously though, water balloons? At your friends? Geeze, I’d hate to see what you would do if she actually dated someone.”

Justin’s ears perked up, much like a dog, which Trace obviously found funny because he started laughing a bit. “So…you two aren’t dating?”

“No.”

“You don’t like her? I mean, more than a friend.”

Trace sighed and leaned back, resting his arms behind his head. “That’s the thing…” he let out a breath and locked eyes with Justin. “I really like her, J, and I didn’t realize it until now. I mean, I really missed her while you guys were gone. Not that I didn’t miss you either, but I missed her in a different way, you know?” He rubbed his face.

“So…why don’t you tell her that?’ Justin asked, picking at a random thread on his bed spread.

“I tried, I just can’t.” Trace tilted his head back and looked up at the ceiling. “I don’t want to freak her out or anything. I know she doesn’t feel the same way and…” he scrunched up his nose as he thought, “I love her, I’ll admit that, but I’m not in love with her.”

“I don’t get the difference,” Justin said.

Trace lowered his head and grinned. “You will when you’re older.”

Justin huffed as Trace grinned that superior grin. Trace may be a few months older than him, but he constantly treated Justin like he was years younger and it got under Justin’s skin. He knew that Trace did it to annoy Justin on purpose, but that didn’t mean that Justin couldn’t retaliate.

Justin looked around for a weapon he could use but the only thing he could use was his pillows. He grabbed one and threw it as hard as he could. Trace wasn’t prepared to be hit by a pillow and he fell off of his bed. Justin then pointed and started laughing as Trace rubbed his head.

There was a sharp knock on the door before Lynn opened it and stuck her head in. “Is everything ok in here?”

“Yeah, Mom. Trace just fell off of the bed. What a klutz,” Justin said with a smile still etched onto his face.

“I heard about what happened,” she continued.

The smile fell from Justin’s face immediately and he turned away from his mother. The last thing he wanted was for her to find out, but he should have known she would eventually. He knew Trace wouldn’t say anything so that left only Chris and JC and Chris didn’t care enough to tell so that meant JC had to have said something to her. Out of concern probably. She came into the room and sat down at the end of Justin’s bed, keeping her eyes on him. Trace got up off the floor and dashed out of the room. ‘Thanks for leaving me alone with her, traitor.’ “Don’t, Momma.”

“Why’d you do it?” Lynn asked, reaching out and lightly running her fingers through his hair. Justin closed his eyes at her touch. He let out a breath but didn’t say anything. “Justin, you’re going about this the wrong way.” He opened his eyes and looked at her. “If there’s something on your mind the best way to deal with it is to talk to her, to them. You’ve followed that idea before, why’d you change it now?”

Justin’s mouth formed words but no sound came out. He finally closed his mouth let out another breath, and opened it. “I just…can’t deal with the fact that she’s not the same anymore,” he replied, pitifully. “It kills me to know this is making me sound like a bad friend but, I just can’t do it. I mean, she’s not the kid I’m friends with anymore. She doesn’t come to me for help, she doesn’t follow me around, and she…likes…boys. Well, a little bit, but I just…I just can’t do it, Momma.”

Lynn wrapped an arm around his shoulder and pulled him to her, his head fitting under her chin perfectly. She gently rocked him and held him tight, like he was young again. “Justin, you’re growing up, that’s all there is to it. I know you don’t want it to happen, but it’s inevitable. You’re actually taking it better than most people. When I was growing up my brothers went off the wall, they did everything they could to make sure no guy came near me. It got annoying, really.”

“Really?” Justin asked, lifting his head. “What did you do?”

“I talked to them about it. I told them that it was good that they were looking out for me but they need to release their hold a little and let me make my own mistakes. And you know what?” She lightly tapped Justin’s nose with her finger. “You need to do the same.”

“I know, Momma, I know.” Justin glanced at the clock. “Momma, do you think I could–?”

“Come back as soon as you’ve made up,” she said in a stern tone. “I’m not kidding, Justin. It’s past your curfew.”

“I know. I’ll be back soon, I promise.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Dad, why won’t Mom come home?” Mack asked taking a bite out of the Oreo cookie that was in her hand. Little J and Oreo were sitting in her lap, their heads on the table, sniffing the cookies every now and then.

Philippe sighed and put down the cookie he was about to put in his mouth. “I all ready told you. There are some things she needs to take care of.”

“And she couldn’t put it down to see her own daughter come back?”

“You know your mother. As soon as her mind is on one thing she doesn’t change it until she’s finished with whatever it was that occupied her in the first place.” He reached across the table and ruffled her hair. “That’s where you got your stubborn streak from.”

“So she’s being stubborn and she won’t come home?” Mack demanded, squinting. “What happened while I was gone?”

“Nothing!” Philippe sighed. “Maybe you should go to your room. I know you’re just being angry with me because of what Justin did.”

Mack grabbed a few more Oreos and glared at him. “Don’t say the ‘J’ word about me,” she snarled before leaving the kitchen.

Philippe couldn’t help but chuckle. She wasn’t fooling anyone with her anger, he could see right through her as if she were a window. She wasn’t mad at what he did, she was more mad at the fact that her mother seemed to not want to have anything to do with her and she was taking her anger out on him.

He leaned back in his chair when he heard a sharp knock on the kitchen door. He locked eyes with Justin who waved frantically, motioning for him to open the door. Smiling to himself, Philippe got out of his chair and opened the door. “I was wondering how long it would take for you to get here, Mr. Timberlake,” he commented, moving out of the way so he could come into the house.

“Thanks Mr. D,” Justin muttered. “Is Mack around? I made a really big mistake tonight and I really want to talk to her about it, if it’s ok with you I mean, I don’t want to intrude,” he said all in one breath.

“She’s in her room,” Philippe replied, closing the door. “Go through this door, out the den’s door, down the hall, up the stairs, and it’s the third door on your right.”

“Thank you sir.” Justin bolted out of the kitchen and followed his instructions. Loud music was pouring out of her room. She was probably glaring at the ceiling cursing him at the very moment. He took a breath, grew some balls, and knocked on the door. “Mack?” He shouted. He didn’t get a response so he knocked again. “Mack, c’mon, open up! It’s J! I want to talk to you!”

Justin pressed his ear against the door. It sounded like her music had been turned down a bit but it was still pretty loud. He pounded his fist on the door again, yelling her name, his voice getting more and more desperate with each pound on the door.

After banging on the door for five minutes straight his voice was slightly hoarse, he had a dull headache, and his red fist was throbbing. He lifted his hand to knock again but stopped himself. He let out a shaky breath and swallowed the lump in his throat. Was she really going to throw away their friendship that easily? What she really going to throw away years of their unbreakable friendship over a small mistake that he’s made? He’s made plenty of mistakes in the past, of course none on this level, but they always found a way to make up in the end. He couldn’t, no, wouldn’t accept the end of their friendship like that.

He sat down and rested his back against her door. He looked at his watch and pulled out his cell phone. “Hey Momma, I’m going to be home a little bit longer than I expected. Yes, I’ll get Mr. D to drive me back. Momma, I’m prepared to sleep in front of her door until she talks to me. Ok, I’ll talk to you later…I love you too. Bye.” He hung up his phone and let out an impatient breath. “Mackie, come on! Talk to me.”

“Go the hell away, Timberjerk!” her muffled voice finally came through the other side of the door.

Justin shrugged. ‘She could’ve called me something worse and she spoke so now we’re getting somewhere.’ “C’mon! Please?”

“I don’t want to talk to you!”

“Then listen. Please!” Justin waited, holding his breath. Everything turned silent when the music suddenly shut off and Justin let out a sigh of relief. “I get it, ok? I’m a horrible friend. I keep setting double-standards for you and it’s not fair. I just…I can’t hate knowing that you’ve grown up, ok? I still see you as the seven-year-old that followed Trace and I around all the time. The one that always set out to prove that she could do better than us. The one who…who came to us whenever she needed us to beat up the boys who got her on the brink of tears.” He sighed and ran a hand through his short curls. “I know you’re not the same little kid, but to me you always will be because that’s when life was easier. I…I don’t want you throwing away our friendship like this. I won’t let you. I’m…I’m prepared to sleep here in front of your door and stay here until you forgive me.”

“You have a rehearsal for your new single tomorrow.”

“I’m willing to follow you around until you forgive me,” Justin quickly corrected himself. “I messed up, I admit that. I just…” he let out a breath. “I just want my friend back.” He sniffed and brought his hand up to brush his nose and was a bit shocked to feel that his cheeks were damp. He let out a little cry of surprise as he fell backwards. The next thing he knew he was staring up at the ceiling.

“You’re being overdramatic you know that,” Mack commented, looking down at him.

“I needed to get you to listen to me somehow,” Justin replied, getting onto his knees and shuffling forward so he could hug her around the knees. He looked up at her with big, wet eyes. “I’m so so sorry. If you want to date Trace you can, I won’t stop you. I just want you guys to be happy.”

Mack rolled her eyes towards the ceiling. “I don’t want to date Trace.”

“Ok, if not Trace then some guy off of the street. I don’t care.”

“Yeah you do.” She grabbed his hand and pulled him to his feet. “And I appreciate that you care, just…give me some space, ok?”

“Ok.” He then spread out his arms and grinned his irresistible grin. “Um, this is the part where you’re supposed to hug me and we make up and forget that this ever happened and be friends again.”

“No, this is the part where you promise me you won’t be stupid and let me deal with my own problems,” Mack replied, crossing her arms over her chest. “Unless I ask for help.”

“Ok, I promise,” he said quickly. “Now can I have my hug?” he wiggled his fingers. “C’mon, my arms are getting tired.” Mack let a smile show on her face and allowed him to pull her into a hug. “I really am sorry,” he said once he let her go.

“I should apologize,” she replied, turning to sit on her bed and pulled Little J and Oreo onto her lap. “I’ve been stressed out lately. What with trying to come up with a routine for Tearin’ Up My Heart and watching these two and–”

“Your mom not talking to you?” Justin guessed. She lifted her head. “Your dad was saying that you were probably taking your anger out on me from what she was doing, or not doing in this case.” Mack opened her mouth but he held up his hand to stop her. “Don’t apologize, I get it. I was horrible when my parents split and I was only four, I didn’t understand it then. You’re just worried about her, don’t sweat it. Just tell me about it next time, ok? You can always come and talk to me. And if you can’t do that you can talk to Momma, she’s a good listener y’know.”

“I know.” Mack glanced at her clock. “You should get going before Momma Lynn starts freaking out.”

“Ok.” He hesitated. “Sorry.”

Stop apologizing!” Mack threw a pillow at him and he caught it easily. “Tell the others I expect you all at the warehouse by 10.”

“10?” He repeated. “Not 6?”

“Nah, I’m letting you all sleep in. You can’t say I haven’t done anything nice for you.”

He chuckled, threw the pillow back, and moved towards the door. He paused, turned, and merely pointed at her, smiling. She returned the gesture, chuckling. He closed the door behind himself and she scooped Little J and Oreo into her arms, kissing the tops of their heads. “Well, if she won’t call me I’ll call her,” she decided out loud. “Is that a good idea?” Oreo let out a little yip, his tail wagging in approval. “I’m glad I have your approval,” she laughed, scratching their heads. “Now, off my bed. Go to yours.” She waved her hands and leaned over to grab the phone and brought it up to her ear.

“When are you coming back?” Philippe’s voice poured over the line. Mack was about to hang up but the cold voice on the other end stopped her.

“I all ready told you I’m going to be out here for a while.”

‘Mom?’ Mack kept the phone by her ear and tried not to breathe loudly so she wouldn’t be caught.

“You said you would be here for when Mackenzie got home,” Philippe continued. “Then you said you’d be here a couple of days ago. She keeps asking about you. Why the hell won’t you even answer the damn phone whenever she calls?”

“Because–“

“Because you’re afraid that she’ll find out you’re a lying, cheating, bitch?”

Mack swiftly brought her hand up to her mouth to snuff the gasp that was trying to come out of her mouth. Had her father really called her mother such a name as that? What happened to the high-school sweethearts that they used to be? What had happened while she was in Europe? She knew she should put the phone down there but a twisting feeling in her stomach told her to keep listening.

“Don’t ever call me that again!” Charlotte hissed.

“Why? Because you know it’s true?” Philippe demanded. “What do you want me to tell her? I can’t keep lying to her.”

“I don’t know. But there was something invented called the truth.”

“I’m surprised you know the definition of the word seeing as you can’t tell it. ‘Sides, I can’t just say right over breakfast ‘oh, by the way, your mother moved out and is now living in Memphis with Paul, her business partner. Oh, and we’re getting a divorce too’.”

“Sounds perfect to me.”

“Do you even care about what this could do to her? What happened to you? You two used to be so close.”

“Yeah, well, I hated living a lie.”

‘Was she talking about their marriage or me?’

“You’re being really immature about this,” Philippe pointed out.

“Whatever. And this is coming from the guy who won’t even admit that this relationship isn’t going anywhere. Trust me; I’m doing you a favor.”

The dial tone reached Mack’s ear signaling that Charlotte had hung up. She waited to hear her father hang up before she put her phone down. She was stunned. Too stunned to make any noise. Too stunned to cry. Too stunned to even comprehend what had just happened. She let out a shaky breath. Little J lifted his head and looked at her. He jumped out of his bed, jumped onto hers, and curled up in her lap, licking her cheeks.

“What’s going on, Little J?” She asked, scratching his head.

End Notes:
Please read and review. I would really like to know what you guys think.
Build Your Fences,Set Restrictions by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 20: Build Your Fences, Set Restrictions

January 12th, 1997

“Shit!” Mack shouted once she saw the clock when she woke up one morning in January. She didn’t realize how tired she was but the time displayed on her clock confirmed that she was going to be the one late for their last minute video rehearsal for once. Usually it was JC who was late ‘cause he was still sleeping. ‘Am I going to get it’ she said to herself as she rushed around to get dressed, fighting off the feeling of drowsiness that still enveloped her.

 It’s been a long three months filled with rehearsing for the music video for their next single, making a set list for their upcoming European Tour, rehearsing for the tour, flying back and forth between Orlando and Europe for shows and interviews, performing in Disney World, and flying back and flying back and forth to see families on the holidays they had off. Halloween they all spent in Orlando, Thanksgiving they went to their respective hometowns, instead of Mack going with Justin and Trace to Memphis she visited family in Canada, and Christmas was spent back in Orlando, everyone’s families together. New Years they had to spend in Europe taping two different New Years shows in one day.

Now she not only had to deal with the stress of making sure every little dance move was perfect but she also had to take over some shifts at the photo shop because of his frequent “sick days”, work a bit more about the house to keep it clean and to get food on the table, and continue to go around pretending like nothing was wrong and her life was perfect, even though it was the complete opposite. She was losing sleep from staying up and listening to her parents arguing over the phone. She really wanted to confront them and tell them she all ready knew what was going on, but she was too mad to do anything about it. So she decided to just keep her mouth shut and wait for them to tell her about it, no matter how long it took.

“Dad, why didn’t you wake me?” She asked as she moved down the stairs while trying to tie her shoes. “Dad?” She called, lifting her bag over her shoulder and moving into the kitchen. She frowned and let out a sigh when she saw him sleeping on the couch. “Oh, Daddy.”  She put down her bag and pulled the blanket off the back of the couch, covering him with it. She took off his glasses and placed it on the coffee table. Just then the doorbell rang. “Who the heck could that be/’ She muttered as she rushed to the door. “Man, I’m going to be so late and–aaahhhh!” She screamed before slamming the door shut. She stared at the door as if she didn’t believe what was behind it.

“You know it’s rude not to open the door for someone.” Mack shuddered at the voice on the other side of the door, swallowed the lump in her throat, and opened it. Lou smiled a bit and Mack fought off the urge to barf on his feet. “Are you ready to go?”

“What’re you talking about?” She kept her grip on the doorknob, ready to slam the door in his face again if she needed to.

“Your father called me and said that he wouldn’t be able to take you to rehearsal so I offered to take you and he said it was ok. So now I’m here.” He studied her face. “Hurry up; you don’t want to be late.”

When she didn’t move he grabbed her left upper arm and gave it a hard squeeze. She let out a little gasp in pain and tried to pull her arm out of his grasp but he held on tight. He easily yanked her out of the house, pulling the door shut, and led her to his car. Mack’s heart sank when she saw that there was someone in the driver’s seat of the Rolls-Royce so that meant she’d have to sit in the back with him.

“How are you doing today, Ms. Desrosiers?” The chauffeur asked as he opened the door.

“I’ve been better,” she muttered under her breath, getting into the car. She slid across the seat, all the way to the other side until her thigh was pressing up against the door. She bit her lip when she felt her seat sink slightly when Lou got into the car. She could feel his eyes boring holes in the side of her face but she didn’t move. She kept her cheek pressed against the cool glass and fought to keep the bile that was churning in her stomach down.

“I still can’t believe you did that to your beautiful hair,” Lou broke the silence the fell over the car. “You shouldn’t have done that. You have such beautiful hair.” She practically jumped out of her skin when she felt his fingers tug at the bright blue strands in her hair. Her breath came out shaky; her heart beat against her ribcage so hard she thought it would burst right out of her chest. Her palms flooded with sweat, she started shaking when Lou trailed a finger down her cheek. “You shouldn’t change anything about yourself, no matter who tries to convince you.” He rubbed his thumb across her cheek and she shivered. “You’re very beautiful.”

As soon as the car parked she kicked open the door, grabbed her bag, and ran towards the dance studio’s doors. She didn’t care that she had knocked over the chauffeur, she didn’t care that she probably had ruined part of the car’s interior, she needed to get away from him as fast as her legs could carry her. She pushed open the bathroom door with her shoulder, threw her bag into the corner, and dropped down in front of the toilet, finally letting the contents of her stomach pass her lips and splash into the bowl.

Her body shook and gasps of air mixed with the throat clenching sound of sickness. When her stomach finally emptied she shakily got to her feet and made a face at the taste in her mouth. Once she steadied herself she made it to the sink, ran the water a bit, splashed some into her mouth, spitting out the water-bile mixture and looked up at her reflection. She was pale––her skin was milky in color––but she now resembled snow.

She splashed water in her face and gave herself a little pep talk before finally seeing the faint pink tint return to her cheeks. She closed her eyes briefly, shook her head, trying to shake away the nausea that was left over and pulled open the bathroom door.

The first thing that she saw when she stepped into the dance studio was Chris running around the length of the room; Justin’s basketball was in his hands. He was yelling over his shoulder, something about Justin needed to let go of his security blanket and man up. Justin was chasing after Chris yelling something along the lines of “You gotta move faster than that, Old Man!” Lance was sitting in the corner, watching them run around, not adding to the chaos but not stopping them either. She caught bits and pieces of a story Joey was telling JC about some hot chick on the beach he was trying to impress with disastrous results.

“You want your ball back so bad?” Chris demanded, finally stopped running. “Catch!” He chest-passed the ball to Justin as hard as he could, trying to catch him off guard. It worked and Justin ducked. The ball smacked Mack right in the face, causing her to stagger a bit. The ball landed on the ground and bounced a few times before rolling over to Lance, whose eyes were wide and his mouth was open a bit. Chris slowly lifted his head and Justin slowly turned around, as if afraid to see what was behind them. JC and Joey whipped their heads around at the sound of the bouncing basketball. Everything seemed to halt when she got hit in the face, it was dead silent, and it was the quietest the boys have ever been when she was around.

“I thought I told you to leave your basketball outside,” Mack said as she rubbed her nose gently. She dropped her bag and kicked it towards the stereo. “Did you guys stretch yet?” she asked, looking at them. They shook their heads. “What do you need to wait for me to tell you to do it?” She demanded, putting her hands in her hips and doing her best to give her no-nonsense stare.

They immediately gathered in the middle of the floor and dropped onto their stomachs to start their pushups. She sat down with her back resting against the wall of mirrors as they competed to see who could do the most pushups in a certain time frame. She tried to keep her focus on counting for the boys to see which one would reach the goal but her mind kept wandering.

She couldn’t believe how inappropriate Lou was being, but she also couldn’t believe that she always found herself frozen in the situation. She was just…letting Lou touch her and there were huge warning signs going off in her head every time he got her cornered, but he had power and she was afraid. Not for her own safety, but for the guys’ future. It could all come crashing down in one moment because of her and she didn’t want to be responsible for that as well as be seen in a different light because of the inappropriate circumstances.

And what would her parents think if she told them? With their minds being somewhere else she wouldn’t put it past them if they thought she was spitting tales for attention. And that only made her feel worse.

“Hey Space Cadet, I’m talking to you!” Chris practically yelled in her ear, causing her to jump. He snickered, pleased with her reaction. “We wanted to know what you wanted us to work on.”

“Uhhh.” She blushed. Her mind’s been jumbled so lately she hasn’t been able to create a set regimen for them. She then thought about it for a bit, telling herself to calm down and focus on the task at hand. “Well, your music video shoot is tomorrow but the tour is coming up. Which one seems more important to you guys?” She finally asked.

“You want our opinions?” Joey asked slowly.

“Yes.”

“Since when?” Chris demanded. “You usually just tell us what to do. Since when do you want our opinions?” his voice was laced with suspicion as if he expected her to shape shift into a monster or something.

“Since I felt like asking for it,” she replied, not in the mood for Chris’s crazy antics. “Video or tour? Majority wins.”

“I think working on the tour is a better idea,” Lance spoke up. “I mean, we all ready know the dance to Tearin’ Up My Heart. I could do it in my sleep; we don’t need to work on it any longer. The tour, however, we still have to work out some kinks with the band for song transitions.”

“Don’t worry about the band just yet.” Mack sighed and crossed her arms over her chest. “Johnny told me that Lou wants to set you guys up with your tracks playing in the background before using an actual band.”

They all started protesting at once.

“He knows how good we are.”

“We’re worked really hard to prove ourselves.”

“This isn’t fair!”

“Haven’t we proved ourselves?”

“How much harder do we have to work?”

Mack covered her ears at their sudden screaming and waited for them to stop. “You want to deal with this, talk to Lou yourselves. I’m just passing on a message, ok? Don’t shoot me.” She grabbed her bag and pulled it closer to herself. “Do you want to see the setlist or not?” They nodded and gathered around her as she placed a piece of paper on the ground and they all gathered around her to take a look. “You guys did a good job finding a balance between up-tempo and low-tempo songs.”

Nsync 1997 European Tour Setlist:

1.      Here We Go

2.      I Thought She Knew (Acapella)

3.      Tearin’ Up My Heart

4.      I Want You Back

“Why is it so…short?” Justin questioned.

“Because Johnny says that Lou says he doesn’t think you guys are ready for a longer set yet. He wants to make sure you guys have a solid fan base,” she replied.

“How do you know so much?” Chris demanded.

“It’s called learning, you should try it, maybe this way you won’t strike out with girls all of the time,” she replied, deadpan. The other guys laughed as Chris scowled. “Ok guys, take it from the top.”

She watched them dance through the entire set with a critical eye. They were making fewer mistakes than they did when they started out but there were a few missteps here and there. Most of them belonged to Lance but a few belonged to Joey and Chris. JC and Justin barely made mistakes but a slight change in their facial features tipped her off that they knew they had made a small mistake and not to mention it. They were perfectionists and they beat themselves up about it all the time, no need for her to do it.

She clicked her tongue and looked over the notebook that was in her hands. She always kept tabs on what they needed to work on; sometimes she even went as far as videotaping their practice so they could see their mistakes. They were flopped out on the ground, panting a bit as they watched her, waiting to hear what she had to say.

“You’re looking a lot better,” she started. “But that doesn’t mean you can’t improve, but I’m not saying that you can be perfect either. No one’s perfect.” She looked back down at her notes once more. “That being said, Lance you have to stop second guessing yourself. If you make a mistake, go with it, and then jump right back in. Sure, someone might notice, but if you make a mistake with a smile and you ooze confidence then no one will care.” He nodded and wiped sweat off of his brow. “Joey, you’re getting a little too eager in the breakdown part of “I Want You Back”. So eager, in fact, that you’re a bit early. Slow it down a bit and you’ll be fine.” Joey raised his thumb in an OK gesture. “Chris you’re doing fine, just put a little more energy into the performance, I know you’re tired now but you’re going to be even more tired when you tour but you don’t want the audience to know it. JC and Justin, you guys are basically there, you just have to stop beating yourselves up if you make a little mistake because we can all see it here.” She waved her hand in front of her face. “As long as you play it off no one will notice.” She looked at her watch. ‘You guys did great today; I’ll let you off early.”

“You…are a sweetheart,” Joey said.

“Careful, her head’ll get big,” Justin teased.

“I have a question,” Chris said as he waved his hand in the air as if he were in school. “Why is it when Joe, C, and I do the one-handed back flip part why does JC land before us?”

“’Cause JC is two inches taller than you,” she replied instantly.

“Yeah, but Joey’s taller than C and he lands the same time I do, at least a split second after C if not two,’ Chris continued.

“JC has more momentum when he flips.” She put down her notebook, stood, and stretched her arms. “See, you and Joey do more of a cartwheel flip thing while JC does and actual back flip. He keeps his body more centered” She waved her hands and ushered them out of the way. “Like so.” Counting a bit out loud she crouched down, placed one hand behind herself, and used her leg muscles to flip herself backwards and landed on her feet effortlessly. “The reason yours comes out more like a cartwheel is because your weight is slightly off balance and you use your other arm to guide yourself in case you fall.” She crouched down and started to bring herself back once more, imitating what they did. Something in her left arm gave out and she found herself falling straight towards the ground. She brought down her right arm to try and turn it into a normal backhand spring but she landed on it too hard and hit the floor with a thud and a groan of pain.

“Oh my gosh. Are you ok?’ Lance asked as they rushed to her side.

Using her left hand she pushed herself back into a sitting position and held her right wrist as her hand fell limp. “No,” she replied, her voice strained. “My wrist really hurts.”

“Jus, go get Johnny,” JC ordered. Justin nodded and darted out of the room. “Honey, can you move your hand at all?” He asked, lightly holding her fingers.

Her face scrunched up in pain when she tried to move her hand. “No,” she replied, her voice barely above a whisper. Her eyes were squinted, she was trying to keep the tears from spilling but her wrist really hurt. This was the worst pain she has ever felt before. “It hurrrrts.”

“I know, honey, you’ll be fine,” JC said as Lance, Joey, and Chris rubbed her back and hugged her. She tensed a bit but relaxed soon after. “Everything will be ok.” He looked up when Justin came back into the room with Johnny and Lou behind him. Mack tensed again once her eyes rested on Lou. Chris noticed but shook the thought away thinking that it was only because Joey had jostled her.

“What exactly happened?” Johnny asked, taking her hand.

“She was showing us the difference between JC’s flip and ours,” Joey explained. “I guess her arm gave our or something because she fell on her wrist pretty hard and now she can’t move her hand.”

“Sounds like a broken wrist to me,” Lou commented.

Johnny nodded and took her hand. “Little Lady, this is going to hurt a bit,” Johnny said as he gently took her limp hand. Mack grasped Justin’s hand and turned her head into JC’s shoulder. She sucked in her breath and squeezed Justin’s hand when Johnny tried to move her hand a bit to the left. “Yeah, that’s definitely broken. C’mon Little Lady, we’re taking you to the hospital.”

“No!” she practically shouted.

Johnny blinked. “You have to if you want to keep the use in that hand.”

“No1 I can’t go to the hospital. Justin, don’t let them take me!” She begged, clinging to his arm.

“You have to,” Justin said softly, pushing her hair out of her face, noticing that her eyes were wide and filled with fear. “We’ll be with you, ok? Nothing will happen to you, I promise.” She nodded and he easily pulled her to her feet.

“I’m sooooo sorry,” Chris suddenly blurted out causing all of them to jump. “It’s my fault. I’m sorry. Don’t punish me with pushups!”

Mack chuckled a bit. “I don’t blame you Chris. It’s not your fault.”

“But I’m really sorry.”

“I know.”

Justin continued to hold her hand as he led her out the door. The others gathered their things and followed them at a brisk pace down the halls, through the lobby, and out the door to their cars. Justin nudged her. “You look like a tomato. It’s ok to cry, you know.” He gave her hand a little squeeze. She then let the floodgates break and tears streamed down her face as she let out a shaky breath.

 

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

 

Mack tapped her fingers rapidly on the waiting room chair as he eyes darted around. Justin was sitting next to her, holding her hand and rubbing his thumb against the back of it to calm her down. Johnny and Lou had gone off to find some coffee, JC was looking through a Sports Illustrated, Joey was trying to hit on a nurse, and Chris and Lance were sitting in wheel chairs, rolling themselves forward and backwards a bit.

“Where’s Daddy?” Mack asked in a small voice.

“He wouldn’t answer the phone,” Justin replied. “We left a few messages. I’m sure he’ll be here soon.” He looked up when he heard the glass doors of the hospital swing open. “Hey Momma,” he greeted her with a small wave. “Thanks for coming. Did I call you at a bad time?”

“No, you didn’t,” she replied, kissing his forehead before turning to Mack. “How’re you doing, sweetie?”

“I feel like my hand got run over by a truck,” she mumbled, resting her head on his shoulder. Her eyes were burning from crying the entire car ride to the hospital and the only she wanted to do was go to sleep.

“Are you Mackenzie Des…Des…?” a doctor asked, looking at a piece of paper.

“Yeah, that’s her,” Justin said, pointing. “We’re pretty sure she broke her wrist,” he added.

“I’m Doctor Hewitt,” he said as he smiled a bit. “May I see you hand?” Mack nodded and held out her arm. Dr. Hewitt took her hand, causing her to wince. “Yeah, that’s broken, but we’re going to take some x-rays anyway and then put your hand in a cast.”

“How exactly are you going to do that?” she asked slowly, eyeing him.

“All we’re going to do is take pictures of your arm and then we’re going to put your arm in a plaster cast.”

“Will it hurt?”

“No, we’re going to numb your wrist.”

“How do you usually do that?” Mack asked, slowly turning pale.

“With a needle usually.”

What!?” She tried to jump out of her seat but Justin yanked her back down.

“She hates needles,” Justin explained as the doctor watched her struggling with a raised eyebrow.

“Ohh. Would you feel better if they came with you?” Dr. Hewitt asked, nodding towards the others. “They’ll have to wait here while you get your x-rays; the room is too small for other people. But as soon as we get you in a bigger room I’ll send someone out to get everyone else.”

Mack stayed silent but nodded. Letting out a breath she stood and followed the doctor down a few halls before entering a small room. She hopped up on the small table and kicked her feet back and forth as the doctor asked her the basic questions and got the full story about what happened. Then he pulled down a square machine and held it over her arm. “This won’t hurt; it’s just going to take pictures of your arm.” She just sat there, staring at the wall while he asked her to turn her arm over so he could get pictures from different angles. “Ok, your wrist is definitely broken. You’re going to have to wear a cast for six to eight weeks, ten tops.”

“10 weeks!?” Mack cried out in disbelief. “I can’t have this one for ten weeks. I have to dance.”

“I suggest you don’t dance for the next four weeks to be safe,” Dr. Hewitt said as he motioned for her to hop down off the table. She sighed heavily and followed him to another room. “You said that your arm gave out on you suddenly?” he brought up. “Did you do anything to your arm? Bump it? Hit it against something hard enough to cause discomfort?” Immediately Mack’s thoughts flashed back to the way Lou had grabbed her arm that morning. She forced herself not to pull a face and shook her head. Dr. Hewitt studied her face a bit. “Ok. I’m going to go get your friends and then we’ll put your arm in the plaster.”

She let out a breath that blew her bangs off her forehead. ‘No dancing for four weeks? I can’t even go a day without dancing, how the hell am I going to survive four weeks?’ She looked up and flinched when Chris rammed into her, hugging her tight. “I’m so sorry!” He cried, rocking her.

“Chris, it’s ok,” she said as she patted his arm. “Ok, you gotta let go, I’m fragile.”

“But I want you to know I’m really…really…really sorry!”

“I get it, stop apologizing,” she said as she held her hand in his face as the others came into the room.

“Whatever you want I’ll get it for you, I’ll do anything you want for the next two weeks to. I’ll even do the laundry around the house,” he continued.

“You might not want to stop him, this is getting good,” Justin said with a smile. “Can you include us in this?” he asked.

“No chance, youngin’,” Chris said with a wave of his hand.

“Ok, are you ready?” Dr. Hewitt asked as he turned around, holding the needle in between his index finger and them. JC’s face blanched as soon as his eyes rested on the needle and he darted out of the room.

“Someone go get him,” Lou said, looking in the direction that JC had run.

“Ok, this will only hurt for a few seconds.” Dr. Hewitt pressed the needle against the skin on her arm before it sunk in. Mack pulled a face as he pressed down on the top before pulling the needle out. Five minutes went by before she announced that her forearm on down was numb. He then went through the work of putting her hand in plaster and asked which color she wanted her cast. He automatically assumed she wanted pink. The disgusted look on her face caused everyone in the room to laugh. “Now, you can’t get this wet, but if by under any circumstances you need to go in the water you have to wrap it really well with saran wrap so no water and leak in. Also, it’s going to itch but you can’t scratch.”

“Great, I can’t dance and I can’t scratch,” she muttered. “Is there anything I do get to do?”

“You can get a sticker and a lollipop,” Dr. Hewitt replied.

“It’s better than nothin’.”

 

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

 

“Chris, I don’t need my pillow fluffed, ok?” Mack said in annoyance as she tried to watch TV later that night. Ever since they left the hospital he’s been at her side asking if she wanted anything and he would go do it or bring something back for her. And since they learned that her father wasn’t home (without leaving a message no less) she was waiting for him at Lynn’s place and had to deal with it even longer.

“Are you sure?” He asked, hovering behind her.

“Chris, sit down before I rip off your hands!”

He scurried and sat down on the love seat, glancing at her out of the corner of his eye every now and then. A small frown was on her face but it was so slight he barely caught it. The only way he could tell was that the corners of her mouth was turned down slightly. It was slight but it was enough for him to notice.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, tilting his head to the side a bit.

She glanced at him without turning her head. “What makes you think something is wrong?” She asked.

“You’re snappier and I’m not the only one who’s noticed it. The guys have noticed too, they’re just too much of pussies to say anything. You’ve been like this since, like, October, what’s going on?”

“Nothing,” she denied, turning up the TV. Chris pursed his lips, knowing that she was trying to drown him out. He stood, grabbed the remote out of her hand, and pressed mute. “Hey!” She cried out in protest. “I was watching that.”

“And now you’re not,” he stated evenly, sitting down on the coffee table and crossing his arms over his chest. “Mack, you have more strength in your body that an elephant has in one foot. There is no way you could’ve fallen like that. You’ve done those flips many times before. How’d you fall?” he demanded, not wanting to beat around the bush.

“My arm just gave out,” she mumbled, avoiding his gaze.

“Bullshit. You can do a walking handstand longer than anyone I know and randomly your arm gives out?” Chris scoffed. “That’s not like you at all, especially since you’re on such a strict workout regimen. You’re the only chick I know who actually gets up before six everyday just to go run and workout.” She didn’t say anything. “Did you hit your arm on something earlier? Did you hurt a muscle or something?”

She clenched her teeth. She couldn’t tell him the real answer, he wouldn’t understand at all. He would only see her in a different way and that wasn’t what she wanted. Besides, he wouldn’t be able to handle the truth, or even accept it for that matter. “I’ve just been working out too hard. It’s not your fault.”

“But I feel like it is,” he replied. “You’re like my sister and I saw one of my sisters on the ground holding their wrists. I saw them in pain and knowing that I, potentially, was the one who caused it kills me.”

“Chris, I’m not mad or anything, all right? Just drop it,” she growled through her clenched teeth.

He slowly shook his head. “Why do you do that?”

“Do what?” She snapped.

“Put up a wall,” he replied. She blinked as if to ask ‘huh?’ “You do it all the time. One minute you’re joking around with us and you’re smiling sweetly and you’re actually acting your age. And the next you’re snapping at everyone, you have a short fuse, and you have a maturity level of, well, my mom.” He paused. “What I really want to know is what’s going on? I can see in your eyes you have, like, the weight of the world on your shoulders and you’re letting it drag you down. You’re just a kid; you shouldn’t have to go through too much at this time.”

She stayed silent but something he said triggered something in her ‘cause the next thing he knew tears were falling down her face. “Uh, I didn’t mean to make you cry,” he stammered.

She waved her hand as if saying ‘don’t worry about it’. “I just…that’s all I’ve learned as I grew up,” she replied. “Keeping things to myself. I mean, I did talk to J and to Trace but when I felt they wouldn’t understand something I never said anything to them. I just kept it inside.”

“You shouldn’t bottle stuff up though,” he said softly. “It’s good talking to people every now and then. Like now, you can talk to me. Unless you say otherwise, I swear I won’t tell the guys anything you don’t want me to. It’ll just be between you and me.” He paused and listened to see if he could still hear the sound of Justin’s basketball bouncing on the pavement of the driveway where he was playing with JC. He nodded when he heard the sound. “What’s been bothering you for so long?”

Mack brought her free hand up to her chin and tapped it, contemplating on whether or not she should tell him the truth. Her heart was telling her to do it but her mind was saying otherwise. “You know how you can’t explain death to a child, especially a young one?” She started hesitantly. Chris nodded. “I was four when it happened. I’ve always wanted a sibling, I’ve always hated being an only child ‘cause I had no one to play with when I was sick at home or on vacation or something. My mom was pregnant and I was so happy. I kept going around telling anyone I met that I was going to have a little brother.” A sad smiled formed on her face. “Then came the day that my baby brother was supposed to be born. I was more excited than my parents were, on the due date I woke up my parents saying we had to go to the hospital as soon as possible to get my brother.”

She stopped and let out a shaky breath. “We went to the hospital and my grandparents were watching me in the waiting room so I wouldn’t get into trouble. But I was obedient. Impatient maybe, but obedient. Then my dad finally got me and told me I had a little brother, Aaron was his name. Aaron Michael. I got to pick out his name. Aaron has always been my favorite name.” She chuckled a bit. “I named every stuffed animal I got Aaron; actually, I loved the name so much. Anyway, I went in and hugged my mom and saw my baby brother in her arms. I climbed in bed next to her and asked if I could hold him. As soon as I held him he opened his eyes. He had the biggest beautiful eyes I’ve ever seen. They’re the exact same shade of mine and I remember looking up at my mom and dad and saying ‘yep, he’s my brother’.” She stopped and slowly shook her head.

“What happened?” He urged.

“I had to go back home with my grandparents while Momma and Dad stayed in the hospital. Later Grammaw told me that something was wrong with my brother and they were going to keep him overnight. It was late and I wanted to stay up all night for when they brought him home but they made me go to sleep. I woke up the next morning and went into the kitchen where Grammaw and Pop-Pop were. Pop-Pop kissed my hand and rubbed the back of it like he always did when he had to say something important. Grammaw pulled me onto her lap and told me that Aaron had gone to Heaven. At the time I didn’t know what death was and I didn’t get a firm grasp on what Heaven was either but I knew enough that I actually asked ‘can I go with him?’.” Mack wiped a stray tear that fell from her eye. “I kept asking myself if I was the reason he’s dead. I was the last to hold him from what Momma told me. As soon as I had to leave and I gave Aaron back to the nurse something went wrong. He couldn’t breathe or something. All I know was that he was dead the day after.”

“Have…have you talked to anyone about this?” Chris asked slowly.

“No one,” she replied.

“Not even your parents?”

She shook her head. “They took away my thoughts about him. I started to worry about them. I mean, my parents were always lovey-dovey, so much it made me sick. But at the same time they were so lovey-dovey that it made me think they were that way to hide something. I mean, they’re so much in love that it seemed unnatural. I haven’t seen anyone else’s parents as in ‘love’ as my parents are. They’re on a different degree. Like, they’re trying to convince me or something. I’ve been suspicious about this for a while. They never argued, they never raised their voice at one another, and if they ever got annoyed it seemed more like it was playful. Then something about my parents started to change, about the time MMC had ended was when I first noticed it. Momma took more and more trips for her job and Dad spent more time at the shop. I just thought it was because they were trying to make more money to help send me to college, I didn’t think it had anything to do with each other.”

“What do you mean?” Chris asked, even though he had a pretty good idea what was going to come out of her mouth.

“They worked so much to stay away from each other,” Mack replied dully. “I was blind to it ‘cause I was so used to their façade. It was when Momma didn’t come see me at the airport that it all started to make sense to me. I thought Momma didn’t want to see me, like she blamed me for Aaron’s death or something, but it was me and Dad she didn’t want to deal with. Back in October I overheard a phone conversation between them and they were yelling at each other and accusing each other of stuff. And then Momma said something that’s been on my mind since then. Dad wanted to know what happened to our friendship and then Momma said that she ‘hated living a lie’,” She made finger quotes as a scowl crossed her features. “Then she said that she was doing Dad and I a favor by just getting up and moving out and going back home to Memphis to be with her freaking business partner.” She suddenly slapped her hand against the couch causing Chris to jump a little. “What kind of a mother does that?” She demanded, tears coming out of her eyes like waterfalls. “What kind of mother lets her kid think she killed her brother and then just throw her away like that? What kind, Chris?”

Chris knelt by her and gently wiped the tears off of her face. “The scared kind,” he replied. “Mackie, my dad left my mom when I was only six months old and I turned out fine. I understand that I didn’t have to go through the same amount of pain because I didn’t understand at the time, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not still mad about what happened, but I didn’t let it stop me from doing what I wanted to do and you shouldn’t either. If your parents split, they split; you can’t do anything about it. Stop trying to control it and just let life happen, ok? You don’t need to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, you do too much anyway.” He pulled her into a hug, being careful not to hit her hurt wrist. “You’re just a kid; you don’t need to go through this shit. Let us worry about that, ok? We won’t be your fences, but we’ll be your buffers, ok?”

“Ok.” She nodded. “Don’t tell them what I told you, at least not yet. I’m not ready.”

“Hey, don’t worry about it. We’re around to listen whenever you want to talk.” He patted her knee. “You want some desert? I know where Lynn hid the candy.”

“Ah, now that’s the Chris I need,” she said, finally breaking a smile. He grinned and went off into the kitchen and the smile dropped from her face. ‘I didn’t lie, that has been on my mind for a while.’ She sighed and ran her hand across her face, rubbing her tired eyes. ‘God, what did I do to deserve this hell?’

End Notes:
Phew, that was a long one. Now you have a bit more insight on why Mack acts the way she does. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please read and review.
Black and Blue by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 21: Black and Blue

January 13th 1997

As soon as a hint of sun peeked into Justin’s room his eyelids flew open and a smile crossed his features, despite the fact that his alarm clock had been blaring for the past five minutes keeping him awake. Today was the day they were going to film their music video for Tearin’ Up My Heart and later that day, if not early the next, they were going to fly out to Germany to start their European tour. Johnny had given them the good news the previous day that their CD was doing so well that it was expected to reach Gold by the end of the month.

Gold! Justin still couldn’t believe it. They had topped the charts as newcomers, which was unheard of in the US, but in Germany anything could happen. Europe was like their dream world, everything they worked for was starting to go the way they wanted. Heck, they went to #1 on the charts on the second day their CD was released. Now he knew what it felt like to be a Backstreet Boy. Johnny was the Backstreet Boys’ manager as well and he constantly told them to expect the success that the Backstreet Boys were having.

He threw off his covers, stretched, and looked around his room. They had to be at the warehouse by nine––that’s where they were shooting their video––and it was only six thirty now. He frowned, knowing that he wouldn’t be able to take pleasure in waking Chris or JC up just yet, he had to let them continue to sleep. But it wasn’t fair, he was always up hours before them and he never had anyone to talk to or watch cartoons with.

Sighing a bit, he put on some clothes––a simple baby blue t-shirt and black basketball shorts––and moved as quietly as possible out of his room, down the hall, and to the kitchen. The last thing he needed was a sleepy and pissed off JC on his ass in the morning.

He moved on autopilot, grabbing his favorite cereal (Cap’n Crunch), got the largest bowl he could find, and used up the rest of the milk pouring it over the cereal. Then he found a spoon, carefully carried the large bowl into the living room and sat down on the couch, happily watching cartoons as he ate.

His thoughts turned away from the cartoons and over to his friend, who was acting funny currently. She was hanging around with Chris. Chris. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Chris, quite the opposite. Actually, he liked hanging around Chris so much it ended up coming out that all he wanted to do was annoy Chris. Chris was like his cool big brother, he could get his hands on anything since he was legal and he even owned a motorcycle, something that Justin always wanted but knew his mother wouldn’t approve of. Chris was untouchable.

He just couldn’t understand why Chris was suddenly so interested in what she did. Sure, he always joked around about wanting to date her or keep her for himself but he was never serious about it. Justin thought that he only felt guilty about Mack breaking her wrist, it was technically his fault. But waiting on her hand and foot? Driving her home later that night? Calling practically every hour to make sure she was ok? They were all like big brothers to her, but he suddenly switched to overprotective mode over night and that wouldn’t fly with Justin.

That was his job.

“Hey,” Chris greeted Justin cheerfully. Justin watched him with a  raised eyebrow as he jumped over the back of the couch and landed next to him, jostling him a bit but not enough to spill his cereal. “Usually you’re still as dead as a door. What’re you doing up so early, Curly?” Chris grinned and reached out to mess up Justin’s hair but he jerked his head out of the way. “Seesh. I think you’re a little too dependent on that sugar bomb you call breakfast.”

“Shut up,” Justin grumbled.

Chris chuckled and scratched his neck. “Can I ask you something?” Justin merely grunted. “Why’re you so protective?”

“Why’re you on my case?” Justin shot back.

Chris rolled his eyes. “Chill, kid. It’s just a question. But since you’re so afraid of giving me the freakin’ answer–”

“I’m not afraid,” Justin snarled through clenched teeth.

“Oh really?” Chris raised his eyebrows. “Then why do you avoid the answer like the plague?”

“I don’t! And you don’t know anything so shut the fuck up!” Justin chose to yell this harsh comment at the wrong time as Lynn had just come around the corner and into the living room to ask who’s shirt was in her hand. She dropped the shirt and the laundry basket, quickly walked over to her son, and grabbed his ear. “Ow! Ow!” he immediately cried, almost dropping his bowl of cereal and tried to bend his way out of her grasp. “Momma, I’m sorry!”

Chris snickered. Justin was such a Momma’s Boy that he only thing Chris could do about it was laugh. He knew by experience never to make fun of him for it, something about him and his mom being best friends, but Chris couldn’t help it. The kid was whipped…by his own mom.

“Mhm. Justin Randall you are going to apologize to Chris and after that you’re going to the laundry room and fold all of the clothes that are left in there which is approximately…two baskets.”

Justin’s eyes got wide as Chris’s smile got bigger. Lynn used three pretty big laundry baskets––one for each of them––and she put all of their clothes into it once it was done, lights and darks. Having to fold even one basket took a while, but two? “But Momma–“

“No buts, Justin, now apologize.”

Justin scowled before turning to Chris. “I’m….sorry,” he struggled. Lynn let go of his ear and he practically slammed his bowl of cereal down onto the coffee table, jumped up, and walked in the direction of the laundry room. “Happy now?” he questioned before disappearing around the corner.

Chris snickered. “It’s about time he rebels.” Lynn shot him a look. “You know what I mean, Mrs. Harless. He always tries to act like he’s twenty or something. He’s only fifteen, almost sixteen, it’s refreshing to see him finally act his age. He does too much to prove that he can do anything he wants. I’d rather him be a little kid than be something that he’s not.” Chris shrugged and turned his attention back to the TV. He burst out laughing at the cartoon, slapping his knee, holding his sides, tears streaming down his face.

Lynn chuckled, grabbed the laundry basket, and turned around only to bump into JC. “Josh, sweetie what’re you doing up? It’s only a quarter to seven.”

“It’s hard to stay asleep with hyena boy laughing his butt off,” JC replied in a hoarse voice. His eyes were barely open and the area around his eyelids was slightly puffy, signaling that he didn’t get much sleep. He let out a yawn and rubbed his eyes. “What time do we have to get to the warehouse again?”

“Nine o’clock,” Lynn replied.

JC grunted. “I’m going back to sleep. Don’t wake me.” He turned and went straight back to his room. Lynn chuckled a bit, shaking her head and went to Chris’ room to put his things away. Chris, bored, tapped his fingers against the armrest of the couch he was sitting on. He was itching to get this video filmed. He wanted to know what idea the director had for them. He wanted to know what they could do in a warehouse. He already had a million ideas running through his head but none of them seemed to fit the theme of the song.

“Hey.” Justin’s voice suddenly caused Chris to jump. Chris looked up and saw that Justin was holding a couple of books and a notebook in his hands. “Momma says I have to finish my homework before we go. Since JC’s asleep I figured…” his voice trailed off as he shifted his gaze.

“Sure. Sit down Young One.” Chris smiled and patted the seat next to him. “So what do you need help with? Math? Science?”

“History,” Justin replied dropping a text book onto the coffee table. “I need to know information from chapters 6 and 7 ‘cause I have a test tomorrow but I…I just can’t…” he let out a frustrated breath and glared at the book.

“Say no more. You’ll know this stuff in the next half hour, an hour tops. All you have to do is use the Kirkpatrick Method,” Chris said as he took the book and started flipping to chapter six.

Justin wrinkled his nose. “What’s the Kirkpatrick Method?”

Chris merely smiled. “You’ll find out in a few minutes. Now, tell me everything you know about World War II.”

Justin’s face dropped every emotion it held. He scratched his head. “Uh…it was a war?” he supplied. Chris merely stared at him. “And…uh…it was the second war.” He snapped his fingers and smiled. “And it affected the world.”

“Thanks for reestablishing the name,” Chris stated acrimoniously, peering at Justin over the top of the text book. “Is there anything else you know…or would like to repeat?”

Justin scratched his head again. “Hitler was the leader, right?”

“Of which side?” Chris asked.

“There were two sides?”

“There’s always two sides to a fight, otherwise there would be no point. Who else would you fight, yourself? Yeah, that’ll go along great.”

“I’m trying!” Justin protested.

“Well you’re not trying hard enough!” Chris shot back. “C’mon! I knew this stuff when I was ten. Now, which side was Hitler on?”

Justin let out a short breath, his features scrunching in concentration. “Hitler was on…the…Axis side?” He looked at Chris who nodded and urged him to keep going. “And, um, he hated the Germans? No, he was a German. He…he didn’t like anyone that wasn’t like him. But he didn’t like the Jewish people the most.”

“Right.” Chris smiled. “Which countries were on his side?”

“Germany, obviously.” Justin squeezed his eyes shut and scratched his head. “Umm…Japan?” Chris nodded and rolled his hand, telling Justin to continue. “Annnnd….ummmmmm.”

“Think of Joey,” Chris offered.

“Not funny?” Justin suggested.

“That’s not a country!” Chris sighed.

“But it’s true.”

Chris shrugged. “Yeah…but a country, give me a country. C’mon, think of Joey.”

“Italy?”

“Yes!” Chris smiled and closed the book. “Have you read this stuff before?” Justin nodded. “Ok, follow me.” Justin’s eyebrows knitted together in confusion but he followed Chris outside anyway. Chris stopped on the nearly empty driveway and spun the basketball on his fingers. “Ok, we’re going to play a little game. I ask you a question and if you get the answer right you can take a shot, if you get it wrong, I take a shot. The first person to twenty points wins. Each basket is one point.” He smiled. “And I’m sure you wouldn’t want everyone to know that I beat you…again.”

Justin glared. “You didn’t beat me last time, ok? The sun was in my eyes.”

“Oh, boo hoo, the sun can’t touch your precious eyes, you baby.” Chris rolled his eyes and grabbed the ball. “Your excuses won’t work this time. Either you know it or not. Now, what year did WW II start?”

A challenging look suddenly came to Justin’s eye.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

JC slapped his hand against his alarm clock. He couldn’t hit the snooze button anymore, the shrill beeping was starting to give him a headache. He forced himself out of bed and quickly changed his clothes. He started to walk towards the kitchen to get his much needed morning coffee when he stopped in the living room.

“Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Justin supposed to be studying?” JC asked Lynn who walked by him.

She stopped, looked out the window, and smiled. “He is studying.” JC gave her a look of confusion. “Justin was never one to be able to sit around and study, he had to do something with the information. He is a very bright kid; he just doesn’t like staying still. Chris came up with the idea of combining studying with basketball. It’s working so far since he aced his past two tests this way. The beauty of it is that Justin doesn’t realize that he’s studying while he’s playing.”

“Ahhhh.” JC turned and went into the kitchen, pouring himself a cup of coffee. “Lynn, can I ask you a question?” he asked as he poured milk into his coffee.

“Of course, Josh,” Lynn replied, giving him her attention.

“Do you think you’re ready to let go?” JC asked. Lynn looked at him in confusion. “You said yourself that as soon as Justin turns sixteen you’re going to go back to work. That’s only a few weeks away. Are you ready to let go of him?”

“I’m going to have to sooner or later,” she replied. “But, to be honest, I don’t think I am.” She sighed. “He’s my baby. I can’t get over the fact that I won’t be able to see him every day, I won’t be able to see him perform and do the one thing he loves. I go to sleep knowing that he’s happ y and seeing that one smile he gets on his face when he’s performing. I know I’ll have memories and I can come out and visit a lot, but it’s not the same.” She paused. “Josh, will you look after Justin, to make sure he’s ok? Not just him, but Mackenzie too. Will you make sure they don’t get into trouble?”

“Those two will be together practically 24/7 and you want me to make sure they stay out of trouble?’ JC repeated, lifting his eyebrows. “Lynn, those two invented the word trouble.”

“Don’t exaggerate,” Lynn said with a small smile.

“Who’s exaggerating? I kid you not, they’re angels around you ‘cause they don’t want to get on your bad side. However, once you’re gone, cue the psycho music. The fact that they have Chris and Joey to egg ‘em on is worse.”

“Half of the things Justin does is to get your attention,” Lynn told him. JC nodded and took a sip of his coffee. “Although Chris can easily manipulate him you can put him back in his place because he respects you. Mackenzie, on the other hand, likes to defy people when she can.” JC grunted as if to say he all ready knew that. “But she always listens to Lance. As long as you get him on your side she’ll listen to what you say.”

JC put down his mug. “Why doesn’t she listen to me?”

“Because you’re five years older than her and Lance is only two years older,” Lynn replied. “To you that’s not much of a difference but to her it’s like a whole generation. Don’t ask me to explain because I don’t even fully understand.”

“I don’t think I want to know either,” JC admitted. “But I will keep an eye on them for you. I just have one question?”

“What?”

“How do you do that glare that they’re afraid of? Something tells me I’m going to need it.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Ok so here’s what we were thinking,” Stefan Ruzowitzky, the video’s director, said once the guys all gathered in their dressing room and had his attention. “We want this video to be as low key as possible, so it’s easier on you boys. We know that you are going off to Europe soon to do a tour and we don’t want you to be too tired before you leave.” He then turned to the story board that was behind him. “So we decided to go with six simple shots. One is where you all are dancing in white shirts and dark pants for the whole song. Another is where you’re in all black. Another is when you’re in more casual clothes. Then the solo parts we were thinking of having JC sitting up on one of the beams and then Justin by a window. Keep in mind those two are subject to change,” he quickly added when he saw the look on JC’s face.

“So…this is going to be as simple as possible?” Lance asked. “There’s no way we can get injured?” he added, looking around at the large space.

“Exactly,” Stefan replied, smiling. “The last thing I want is a lawsuit on my hands.” He chuckled a bit before clapping his hands. “Ok, we’re going to start out with your group shots. Head on over to wardrobe and we’ll get started.”

The boys eagerly got up and went to the wardrobe room. Chris and Justin looked through the clothes that were left out for them while the others sat down and watched Chris and Justin go through the clothes commenting on a random shirt or a pair of pants they stopped on.

“Haha, Chris this shirt’s yours,” Justin laughed as he held out a shirt to Chris. He turned around and pulled a face. The white shirt that was assigned to him was like a peasant shirt.

“Well, you’re wearing this!” Chris said as he shoved a white wife beater into Justin’s hands.

“I’m not only wearing this am I?” Justin asked, his eyes widened.

“That’s for a later shot,” the wardrobe woman, Michelle, said as she came into the room. “It’s for your solo shot. We were thinking of having you on this bed just lounging around singing with a girl draped across your shoulders, like she isn’t willing to let you go.”

Justin’s face was a mixture between excitement and apprehension. Chris and Joey gave each other looks and glared at the back of Justin’s head. Lance’s face remained neutral but JC’s eyes scrunched up a bit.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” JC finally spoke up. Michelle looked at him. “Justin’s only fifteen.”

“I turn sixteen in two weeks,” he quickly corrected. JC turned and glared at him. Justin’s eyes widened a bit. He closed his mouth and sat down instantly.

“I don’t think his mother would go along with that idea. I don’t even like the idea,” JC continued. “I’d rather you have his solo shots by himself. If you could speak to the director about my concerns I’d appreciate it.”

Michelle smile. “Sure thing, cutie.” She lightly tapped JC’s chin before walking out of the room. He blushed and turned around only to see the rest of the guys grinning at him.

“Don’t,” JC said in a warning tone.

“Someone’s in loooooooove,” Chris laughed.

“Stop it.”

“JC and Mi-chelle sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” Joey and Justin sang.

“Knock it off,” JC growled.

“So when’s the wedding?” Lance asked, joining in on the fun. JC’s eyes widened as he looked at Lance. Lance was the last person he expected to join in on their teasing, especially at his expense.

“I just have one thing to say to you,” JC said, turning to Justin whom he blamed for the whole thing. Justin waited. “Britney.” His face instantly flamed as JC smirked.

“Shut up man,” Justin grumbled, walking quickly out of the room. He ignored the other guys laughing at him and walked around the warehouse. A set like a photo shoot was set up, it wouldn’t surprise him if they had to do one while they were there or even do a magazine interview. Johnny never said anything to them but he wouldn’t put it past them. They had to keep their name big in Europe after all.

He was amazed that they had a lot of things there for them to use if they ever got bored: acoustic guitars, books, skateboards, magazines, and CDs. A table of food was put into a corner near some couches. His stomach growled when he saw that pizza was sitting on the table. He desperately wanted a piece but he knew the rules: cheese and other dairy products coat you’re your vocal chords in mucus and phlegm. But they weren’t really singing, they were lip-synching so they could have pizza, right?

“Don’t even think about it, Timberlake.” Justin whipped his head around to see Mack sitting on top of a coffee table, staring intently at the book in her hands. He laughed and walked over to her. If she didn’t have to sit in a chair she would always sit on a table. For some reason she was comfortable that way.

“Why do you address me by my last name?” he asked, walking over to her.

“’Cause it’s the only way I know you’ll listen to me,” she replied without looking up.

“So what’s the game plan for the day?”

“What makes you think I know something?”

“’Cause you didn’t deny it and you’re always full of information.”

She finally looked up at him smiling a bit. “Good point.  Aside from your video shoot you’re also doing a photo shoot and a magazine interview for some German mags. That’s why they’re going to make part of your video you guys having a mini photo shoot while you’re dancing to the chorus of the song.”

“I knew it.” He sat down on the arm of the chair that was sitting behind her and leaned over. “Math test?’ he guessed, looking over her shoulder.

“Mhm,” she replied. “It’s going to be a killer, although Mr. Yerger wouldn’t say that but I know how hard his tests can be.”

“Only ‘cause you suck at math.”

“Well you suck at history.”

You suck at life.” Instead of firing back with a clever comeback she fell silent, causing him to frown. He gently nudged her shoulder with his own. “What’s goin’ on with you lately? You’re not laughing as much as you usually do and you don’t call me names?” he placed his hand on her forehead. “Is everything ok?”

She slapped his hand away and nodded. He was about to question her when Lance called his name. He looked up and Lance continued, saying something about the director wanting to talk to him. Justin sighed and went off in search for the director. Lance too his place on the armrest of the chair. “I’m fine,” Mack spoke suddenly.

“How’d you know what I was going to ask?” Lance question.

“You boys are too predictable,” she replied, turning the page. “No, I don’t feel ready. No, I don’t have any confidence in myself ‘cause this stuff is hard. Yes, I did study last night with the tips you gave me.”

“Ok, now that you’ve cleared all of my important questions out of the way why’re you being so defensive?” Lance asked. She grunted. “Let me reword that, why’re you being so secretive?”

“I’m not,” she denied.

“Yes you are. For one thing, you’re avoiding the question. Another, you don’t wear your hats forward. Ever.” He flicked the brim of the blue cap that was pressed down against her hair which was pulled back into two braids. “And, lastly, you’re not looking at me.” She didn’t move. “Look at me,” Lance said gently, but firmly.

“You’re going to freak out,” she muttered.

“No I won’t. Just look at me so I know everything’s all right and we have no need to worry.”

Sighing, she pulled her cap off her head, brushed her bangs out of her face, and turned to look at Lance. His mouth fell open once she looked at him. A bruise had formed around her right eye and it was a little shiny in the light. “Oh my gosh, what happened?”

“I told you you’d freak out,” she sighed.

“I’m not freaking out, I’m asking.”

“I was play fighting with my dad,” she replied looking back at the math book in her hands. “We got a little too into it and he accidentally punched me in the eye. It was worse yesterday, I’m fine now. Really.”

“Ok.” Judging by Lance’s tone he wasn’t convinced but he decided to accept her answer anyway. He hugged her around the shoulders. “You’re going to ace that test, ok? Stop worrying. Once you’re done we’re going to do our group shots so you can yell at us like when we make a mistake like you usually do.” He earned a laugh out of her which caused him to smile. “See you later.”

She nodded. Once he was finally out of sight and earshot she let out a long slow breath. Her head still hurt from last night. In reality she had Chris driver her home when it got too late. She, stupidly, decided to stay up and wait for him. He finally came home around two in the morning drunk off his rocker and screaming at the top of his lungs. She tried to get him to calm down and help him up the stairs to his room but she tried to get out of her grasp which resulted in her getting hit in the eye and falling down the last few stairs. It seemed to instantly sober him up ‘cause the next thing she knew he was by her side apologizing profusely.

She flinched when she felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Mr. Yerger. “Are you ready?” he asked with a kind smile.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.”

End Notes:
Oooh, Lance is getting suspicious. Please read and review, I love to know what you guys think of the story.
The First Cut is the Deepest by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 22: The First Cut is the Deepest

“Pencil down.” Mack groaned and did as she was told. “I’m sure you did great,” Mr. Yerger said as he collected her papers and calculator. “You always psyche yourself out and then you do better than you think.”

“Math’s just not my strongpoint, Mr. Yerger,” she replied, standing. “Seriously, when is math ever going to be important to me?”

“Seeing as you’re a dancer it should be very important.”

“Ah, you got me there.” She stretched. “I’ll leave you to your grading. Don’t be too harsh.” Mr. Yerger smiled as she skipped off to find the guys. She hummed along to Tearin’ Up My Heart which was being played for the thousandth time (at least that’s what it felt like to her). She headed over to where Joey and Lance were standing, looking up in the air. “Whatcha looking at?” She asked, looking up as well.

“Chris and Jace,” Joey replied. “They’re making them sing while on that beam up there.” Joey snickered. “Chris won’t admit it but he’s terrified of heights.”

“So why doesn’t he say anything?” Mack questioned.

“I said he doesn’t want to admit it. He has this whole go big or don’t go at all type deal whenever he has to do something he doesn’t want to do.”

“Ok, but if he falls off that beam and breaks his neck I’ll kill him.”

“Oh, that’ll be effective.”

Lance lightly elbowed Joey in the side and grinned. “How’d your test go? You’ve been over there for a while.”

“Mr. Yerger gave me ten extra minutes ‘cause I was struggling,” Mack replied. “My head’s just not in it today, I guess.”

“Did you get any sleep last night?” Joey asked.

“Barely,” Mack admitted. “I guess I was excited for you guys.”

“I’d be excited to get down,” Chris called from where he was.

“Stop being a baby, Old Man!” Justin shouted at him. Chris muttered some choice obscenities as crew brought a ladder and positioned it in the corner of the beams the two were perched on. Chris practically shoved JC off of the beam to get to the ladder first and hurried down. Once he was on the floor he looked over at Justin and in an instant the two started running around the warehouse.

“Did Justin get into sugar again?” JC asked, walking over to them.

“No, but there’s some food over there that he probably helped himself to,” Mack replied, tilting her head in the direction of the food table.

He nodded. “What happened to your eye?”

“She was play fighting with her dad and it got a bit out of control,” Lance spoke up, obviously pleased that he knew something the others didn’t. (He didn’t have the nickname Scoop for nothing). She nodded in agreement.

JC’s eyes narrowed a bit but he dropped the subject. “Anyway we still don’t know what to do to start the song or fill in that one breakdown before we hit the chorus again at the end of the song. Got any ideas?”

“What have you tried?” She asked, walking over to one of the spaces where they were going to do their group shot.

“Nothing really. We’ve only done our solo shots. I’m more worried about the intro than the breakdown, though.”

Mack nodded and tapped her chin, starting to pace. “Let…me…think…” she suddenly snapped. “I got it. Ok, Jace stand there,” she said pointing in front of her. He did as he was told. “And Lance stand back there, on the left side.” Lance moved to where he was told. “Joey’s going to stand behind you, Jace, but back at Lance’s level, and Chris will stand next to Joey. That way you’re blocking Joey and it’s like only you three are standing there. You’ll sing the whole intro. Then we’ll put Justin in your place and move Joey out and let him sing the intro as well. The shots can be mixed together in a flash sequence. Then we’ll move Joey back in with Justin standing in front of him and Jace standing in front of J. you two will move off in different directions to reveal you guys in a way.” She paused. “Does that make sense?”

“In my head, no, but I’m sure it will once we try it out,” Lance admitted.

“I like the idea,” JC agreed. “We might be able to use it if you talk to the director.”

“Err…no, that’s ok,” Mack mumbled.

“Why not? You have a good idea and the director was open to our suggestions.” She hesitated. “I’ll go with you if you’re that scared.”

“I’m not scared,” she said through clenched teeth.

“Prove it,” JC replied simply.

“Fine.”

Lance chuckled as she stomped off in search for Stefan. “You know she’s going to eventually figure out that you’re tricking her into doing this she normally won’t do.” JC just smiled as the two walked over the food table where Joey was eagerly biting into a pizza. “So what do you guys think of the tour? About how short our set is, I mean,” he asked, sitting down and reaching for a piece of pizza. “You think it’s fair?”

“Considering how hard we’ve been working? I’ll be honest and say no,” JC replied, picking up a guitar that was lying on the ground. “But what can we do? Beg for them to give us more time?” He played a random chord and made a face at the sound. “I say we just perform and let them decide whether or not we get more time.”

“But it sounds so unfair,” Joey jumped in. “We’re getting big over there. Johnny says we’re on our way to going Gold. It’s obvious we’re popular. Don’t you think we should get more time?”

“I do,” JC admitted. “But like I said we can’t do anything about it except perform and that’s what we’re going to do.”

“What’re we going to do?” Justin asked, sitting next to him, the basketball was spinning on his finger. Chris sat down next to Joey.

“Perform the best of our ability,” JC replied. “So that way we can get more time for our shows.”

Justin nodded and spun the basketball so it was moving faster on his finger. “How much longer?” he groaned. “There’s a game on that I don’t want to miss.”

“I’m sure your mom taped it for you since it means so much more than your job,” JC stressed. Justin made a face prompting JC to slap the basketball off of Justin’s finger. It bounced on the ground a bit before rolling away. Michelle stopped it by placing a foot on top of it. Shifting the pile of clothes in her hand to the other arm she picked up the basketball.

“You gotta be careful guys or someone’s gonna get hurt.”

She tossed it at JC and he quickly caught it before it hit him in the face. “Something tells me she’s talking about you,” Chris said in a loud stage whisper. JC glared at him while Michelle smiled.

“Anyway for your group shots you’ll start out in these”––she placed a stack of white shirts and black pants on the table––“then you’ll wear these with those black pants”––she put a stack of black shirts onto the table––“and then you’ll wear these for your casual group shot. JC, Chris, for the casual group shots you’re going to wear what you’re all ready wearing so the director wants to film that first.”

The boys nodded and reached forward to get the clothes labeled with their names. “Guys! Guess what?” Mack shouted running over to them. She jumped over the back of the couch and almost landed on Joey who moved out of the way at the last minute. “Stefan liked my idea for the intro and the breakdown section,” she announced, her eyes shining.

“Something tells me that’s not the only reason you’re happy,” Lance commented.

“Huh? Oh yeah, I got an 82 on my math test.”

“All right!” Lance leaned over and they high fived. “See? I told you that you would do well. You have to have more faith in me and in yourself.”

“Yeah yeah,” she said with a wave of her hand. She then looked up at Michelle who was standing there, listening. “Michelle, right?” She asked.

“Yes,” Michelle replied curtly.

“You got a little something right here.” Mack pointed to the side of her mouth.

Michelle brought up her hand and rubbed the spot. “What is it?”

“Drool.” Mack smirked. Michelle turned on her heel and walked off quickly. They all watched her leave. “Sheesh, she’s acting like she hasn’t been around boys before,” she muttered, picking at her nail. She then looked up and saw the guys staring at her. “What?” she asked innocently.

“Nothing,” they chorused. She squinted in suspicion but didn’t say anything. They finished the rest of the pizza in silence before changing to finish up the rest of the shots for their video. They performed in the music video as if they were performing on stage; almost every move was flawless despite having to do it many times to get different angles. Although they were joking around and having a good time Mack could tell by the looks in their eye that they were taking the video seriously nonetheless.

She couldn’t help but feel like a proud parent as she watched them all land their moves. She had convinced Stefan to let some of the guys do a few foot working moves that led into a side-spin, something that JC and Justin all ready knew how to do, but she wanted someone else to do with them. Since Joey and Chris got to do back flips she made Lance learn the moves and he nailed them perfectly for the video. The big smile that formed on his face once Stefan yelled “cut” was worth it.

It was four o’clock in the afternoon by the time their shoot was over, which surprised them greatly but they were happy nonetheless. So they decided to spend the rest of their day going into town and hang around by the pier or go to Downtown Disney.

“I still can’t believe he let me keep this camera,” Mack gushed as she turned it around in her hands, careful not to drop it.

“Watch where you’re moving that thing, you might poke my eye out,” Lance said as he shifted her weight as she clung to his neck. He had offered to give her a piggy-back ride as they headed into town ‘cause she was slowing them down, according to Chris. “Unlike Michelle, you practically gouged hers out.”

“I didn’t do anything,” Mack said innocently although she was smirking.

“You were being pretty rude to her,” Joey spoke up, looking over his shoulder.

“It’s not my fault she got in my way,” she said innocently, her eyes widening. “How the heck ‘m I supposed to do my job when she’s constantly––what’s the word?––fawning over JC like that? Seriously, brings disgrace to the female population.”

“I hardly call it fawning,” JC sighed.

“Call it whatever you want but that girl was sweet on you like white on rice,” she said with a hint of her southern accent. Justin laughed and high fived her while JC rolled his eyes. They walked the rest of the way talking about everything and nothing.

“Lance,” Mack suddenly spoke up after being quiet for a few minutes. “Could you please get me some ice cream?”

“You don’t have any money?” Lance laughed.

“Unlike you boys I don’t get an ‘allowance’,” she said with finger quotes. “My parents say I have to work for my money and seeing as I haven’t gotten paid yet…”

“Ok. I’m getting hungry myself.” He put her down and walked over to an ice cream stand that was up. JC, Chris, and Justin followed him. Joey and Mack sat down on a bench and waited. Mack lightly flicked the cast that was on her arm; as if not believing that she had it while Joey watched her.

“When’re you going to let us sign it?” He asked her.

She looked at him. “Why?”

“Why am I asking or why would we sign it?”

“The latter.”

Joey shrugged. “That’s what everyone does when someone they know breaks something. To wish them a speedy recovery or just to let them know that they’re there for ‘em. Why, do you not want us to sign it? We are friends, aren’t we?”

Are we?” she asked evenly, looking out at the water. She squinted a bit. “I’m going to be honest when I say sometimes I don’t think of you guys as my friends, with the exception of Justin, but that’s only ‘cause you guys get on my nerves sometimes.” She paused and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “But other times I think to myself that you don’t want to have anything to do with me aside from paying me to create dances for you. I mean, I’m only fifteen after all. I feel like a tagalong a lot and I feel that you don’t want me there,” she admitted.

“That’s not the case at all,” Joey denied. She didn’t say anything. “Really,” he insisted. “If we didn’t want you there we wouldn’t have asked you to be our choreographer in the first place. True, it was Justin’s idea, but he wanted our say in it before he suggested it just in case we weren’t cool with the idea. Chris, Lance, and I agreed to it ‘cause we wanted to get to know you better. I mean, a few months ago all we knew about you was that you’re Justin’s age, you’re from his hometown, and you dance.”

She shrugged. “That’s usually as far as people get.”

“’Cause you don’t let them get to know you?”

“No ‘cause people don’t like me.”

I like you,” Joey stated. “Really, I do. I like how you don’t take shit from anyone. I like how you can stand up for yourself. I like how you can easily bring us in line. I also like how you carry yourself. Sure, you’re just a kid, but you act like you’ve seen the world and that’s refreshing.” He looked at her face. “No, I’m not just saying that either. If we didn’t like you we wouldn’t put up with you when you’re in a bad mood.”

“You do realize that you guys are the reason for my bad mood every once in a while,” Mack said.

“I know.” Joey smiled. “But that’s what we do to show that we are, big brothers annoying their little sister.” He nudged her shoulder until she started to smile and slapped him on the arm. “Was that a smile I saw?” He asked.

“No,” she quickly denied, wiping traces of her smile off of her face.

“Yes it was. C’mon, smile. You can do it,” he said in a fake high pitched voice as he poked her in the side. She bit her lip to keep from smiling as Joey started to tickle her side. She finally burst out laughing as Joey grinned in triumph. “There’s the smile that I love to see!”

“Strawberry on a cone. Strawberry’s your favorite, right?” Lance asked as he held the ice cream cone out in front of Mack.

“Yeah. How’d you know?” She asked, taking it from him. Lance just smiled and sat down on the other side of her Chris, JC, and Justin sat on the bench next to them. “Gosh, I can’t believe you’re going to tour Europe soon.’

We,” Justin corrected. “You’re coming too.”

“Yeah but I’m not really doing anything. You’ll be the ones going around promoting yourselves and doing shows.”

“You could go shopping with Momma.”

There you guys are.” They all lifted their heads to see Lou walking towards them, a large smile on his face. “What’s going on guys?” He asked cheerfully, looking at them all.

“Not much, Lou,” Justin replied jumping up to give him a ‘man-hug’, which the rest of the guys quickly followed suit. “We finished the video shoot so we decided to just relax and hang out.”

Lou nodded. “How did the shoot go?”

“Very well,” JC spoke up. “We worked really hard and I’m sure the video will show that. I’m really proud of the way it turned out.”

“And we have you to thank for that,” Lou said, turning to smile at Mack.

“Mhm,” she mumbled, shoving the rest of her cone into her mouth and chewing rapidly. Lance’s eyebrows knitted together as he watched her. A few seconds ago she was relaxed, happy, smiling even. Now her posture was stiff and her fingers were twitching as if she were looking for an escape route or something.

“How’s your wrist?”

“Fine.”

“Are you doing good in school?”

“Yes.”

Now Lance was even more confused. She usually gives more than one word answers. What was going on with her? She looked like she wanted to run away.

“Good.” Lou nodded. “Your flight has been booked and the company is taking care of your expenses. Once you reach Germany you’re going to be taken to your hotel. You’ll stay there for that day but as soon as you wake up the next morning you’re going to be put on your tour-bus which will be your home for the next few months.”

“Cool,” Chris and Justin said in unison, smiles stretching across their faces.

Lou smiled at their excitement. “I’ll leave you to enjoy the rest of your day. But don’t stay out too late or anything. I’m sure you’ll make sure of that, right JC?” He asked, winking at the blue-eyed man. JC smiled a bit and nodded. Lou gave them a small wave and walked away. Lance turned and was about to ask Mack a question when she jumped up suddenly.

“I have to go,” she blurted out furiously wiping her face with a napkin.

“What? Why? We just got there,” Justin said in confusion.

“I know. But I, uh, forgot that my dad needs my help at home,” Mack said as she started to back away. “House stuff, like changing the vent filters and I promised him a while ago that I would and I get paid for it so it’s worth it I guess.” She shrugged. “Bye.” She turned and ran off, darting in between the people on the crowded walkway.

“She’s been acting so strange lately,” Justin mused.

“I was hoping one of you would say something,” Lance said as he turned to face them. “Did you notice her posture? She was relaxed but as soon as Lou came up she tensed up and was all stiff. Come to think of it, she’s always like that around him.”

“You think something’s wrong?” Chris asked, his voice laced with concern.

“The only way I’d know is if she would say something but…” his voice trailed off.

“There’s nothing wrong with her,” Justin said, shaking his head.

“How do you know?” Chris demanded.

“’Cause I know my girl,” Justin replied as if it were obvious. “I know her inside and out. My momma said that there’s something going on with her family. Someone must be sick, that’s it.”

“What makes you think that’s it?” Joey asked.

“’Cause she tells me everything,” Justin stated proudly.

“Yet she wasn’t the one who told you that something is going on with her family,” JC pointed out. The smile slowly fell from Justin’s face. “She’s not going to come right out and say what’s wrong, I know that for sure. Let’s just give her some time and if she doesn’t come out with whatever it is that’s bothering her we can ask her about it, ok?”

They nodded but Lance couldn’t knock away the feeling that something was really wrong.

* * *

“Dad?” Mack called, panting a bit as she closed the door to their house, sighing at the cool air that reached her skin. She wouldn’t be surprised if she were burnt tomorrow. She always got bad sunburns if she stayed out too long. “Dad, are you here?”

Little J and Oreo dashed around the corner, bouncing on their hind legs to reach her. She scooped them up and kissed the tops of their heads as she walked through the house. She stopped in the living room and sighed, seeing him lying on the couch. More like passed out. A few bottles of beer were lying on the ground beside his hand.

She sighed and carried the puppies up to her room. As soon as she let them go they ran around before jumping onto her bed and resting on the mountain of pillows. She grabbed her cell phone and went to the bathroom, pressing speed dial. She flicked on the light and looked at her black eye as she waited for the person on the other end to answer.

“Hello?” Someone finally picked up.

Mack sighed. “Hi Momma.”

“Hello dear. How are you?”

Mack squinted. How in the world could her mother act like everything was ok when she was in a different state and refused to come home? “Pretty good,” Mack replied slowly. “I, uh, I kinda got a black eye.”

“From fighting boys again, right?” Charlotte asked, sighing.

“Not exactly,” Mack mumbled, opening her medicine cabinet.

“Mhm. Where’s your father?”

“Sleeping.”

“Why isn’t he at work?”

‘Oh, like you really care.’ “Day off I guess. Look, Momma, I have a reason for calling you.”

“Go ahead, baby.”

“Why aren’t you home?” She finally demanded. “And why have you been ignoring my calls? And why did you just up and fucking leave?”

“Don’t take that tone with me, young lady?”

“Well, I’m pissed as hell that you’d leave for no fucking reason and pretend that everything is ok between you and Dad when it’s clear as hell not.” She grabbed an ointment container and pulled off the cap.

“My job–”

“Don’t even try to fuckin’ lie to me, Momma.”

“I said don’t talk to me like that!”

“Then tell me the damn truth all ready!”

“Fine! Your dad and I are getting a divorce, happy? I figured you’d be smart enough to figure that out. I guess you’re blind to the fact since you’re running around with those boys all the time.”

Mack slammed the ointment container on the counter, making a face when it squirted out and hit the mirror. “I didn’t call for you to shove your failed marriage on me! I called because I need you!” She then made a face at the desperate tone in her voice. She never admitted it until now but she did need her mother.

“Your father can take care of whatever you need.”

‘Is she for real?’ “Fine, if you can’t make any time to talk to your own daughter ‘cause you’re too busy fucking your ‘business partner’ then fine! I won’t talk to you ever again and waste your precious time!”

“Baby–”

Mack hung up the phone and threw it across the bathroom wall. It hit the wall with a loud smack before sliding to the floor. Mack gripped the counter only to bring her hand back when she felt a sharp stab. She looked down and saw part of her broken razor sticking out of her finger. She sighed, pulled it out, and looked at the blood that began to grow like an inflatable.

She started at the blood on her finger before licking it off. Her eyes rested on the pale skin of her underarm, the blue veins faintly visible and racing up her arm. Slowly, as if detached from her body, she lifted the blade, pressed the tip against her wrist, and dragged it across her porcelain white skin. She bit her lip at the pain as she slowly dragged the blade. When she finally removed it her skin was clear for a second before a thin line of blood rose to the surface.

All of sudden she started smiling.

She’s never felt better.

End Notes:
Hope you guys liked this chapter. Wow, I'm so close to 100 reviews! Thanks so much guys, I'm so glad you're enjoying the story. Please read and review.
Hell Freezes Over Part 1 by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
This chapter was so long I had to split it up into two parts. Here's part 1.

Chapter 23: Hell Freezes Over Part 1

January 16th 1997

The next two days were spent going over their set list with a fine tooth comb making sure they got their cues right and they put in every ounce of energy they had. Those two days were the longest two days ever, according to Justin, who couldn’t wait to get on the road and finally do what he wanted. The last few months were a blur to him but all he had to do now was concentrate on the task ahead of them: perform a good show night after night. He was so eager to leave that he, personally, wanted to wake up his very best friend in the world the only way he knew how.

They dropped by her house early that morning and he practically tore out of the car, banging his fists on the front door. Philippe opened the door, took one look at him, and pointed out of the foyer. Justin ran out of the room, down a small hall, up the flight of stairs, and into Mack’s room. He pushed open the door slowly to make sure he didn’t wake her up. He tiptoed across the room, quickly took off his shoes, and smiled. He suddenly jumped into the air and landed on her bed, jumping around, jostling her.

“Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!” He chanted as he jumped around. He could feel her legs moving through the blanket, probably trying to trip him.

“Ow! My wrist!” She suddenly cried out.

Justin instantly stopped jumping. “Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean it.”

Mack grabbed the pillow that was under her head and hit him hard, causing him to fall to the floor with a thud. “Sucker,” she snickered, sitting up. “You didn’t even land on me.”

“That hurt,” he whined, rubbing his head.

“Suck it up you damn baby,” she muttered, tossing back her covers and getting off of her bed, her hands instantly flying up to her hair and fixing it. “I knew you were going to do that.”

“How?” Justin lifted his eyebrows.

“I heard your incessant banging you moron.”

“Stop calling me names and get dressed all ready,” he ordered, glancing at her t-shirt and lounge pants. “We gotta leave, chop chop!” He started clapping.

“Stop rushing me and stop clapping for fuck’s sake. I’m not a dog!” She growled.

Justin stopped clapping and watched her move around the room, pulling open drawers to find a t-shirt and then move to her closet to grab a pair of pants. “What’s gotten you so pissy?” He asked then he made a face. “Oh. Is it…um…did your ‘Aunt Flow’ come to visit?”

Mack paused what she was doing and looked at Justin. It scared her to know that the guys knew about what girls went through every month, it was something they should never know nor ever understand. The fact that he was comfortable talking about it freaked her out. Silently she shook her head and retreated to her bathroom.

Justin walked around the room as he heard water start to run. He looked at her floor noticing balled up pieces of paper along with clothes strewn everywhere. He smiled to himself. She amused him. One minute she wouldn’t mind a mess but the next second she’d harp at the guys about cleaning when they all knew she wanted to do it to just get it over with. Sometimes Lance and Chris helped, which confused him to the brink of insanity. Why they were being so helpful all of a sudden, at least. It was like they knew something he didn’t and that bugged him.

He picked up a balled up piece of paper and slowly started to open it. It wasn’t invading her privacy, technically, it was balled up and it was going to be moved to the trash soon anyway…Justin unfolded the piece of paper the entire way and read what was written on it.

Is it enough to love?

Is it enough to breathe?

Somebody rip my heart out

And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die?

Somebody save my life

I’d rather be anything than ordinary, please

 

Justin’s eyebrows crinkled together in confusion and concern. He looked up when he felt another presence in the room. He sighed with relief when he saw that it was just his mother. Lynn didn’t say anything; she just raised her eyebrows in a questioning way, a look that Justin has seen a lot as he grew up. Silently he held out the piece of paper and she looked it over, before looking back at him and he shrugged. She nodded and shoved the paper into her purse as the bathroom door opened.

“Hi, sweetie,” Lynn greeted Mack with a smile.

“Hi Lynn,” Mack replied, closing her bathroom door behind herself. Justin lifted his eyebrows and looked at Lynn who had the same look on her face. Since when did she address Lynn simply as that? “I think I have everything,” she said, breaking the silence and looking at her large suitcase which was sitting by the door.

“You aren’t going to bring that?” Justin asked, nodding to her blue acoustic guitar that was sitting in the corner of the room. Mack stared at it for a few seconds, as if in a trance, before crossing the room and grabbing it by the neck. Dropping to her knees, she pulled out its case and put it inside, closing the lid and safely securing it. “Do you need help?”

“You can get my suitcase. Thanks.” She smiled a bit and Justin smiled in return. He then, eagerly, grabbed the handle of the suitcase and tried to pull it but it didn’t budge. He tugged a few more times and then huffed.

“What the heck do you have in here? Shoes?”

“No, that’s you. I don’t own more than three pairs. You’re the one who practically busy out entire stores whenever you go shoe shopping.”

“Hey, there’s no need to rip on me this early in the morning.”

“Yet you’re as chipper as a wood one. Why’re you so perky any way? It’s too early for you to have eaten anything yet.” The two grabbed onto different ends of the suitcase and lifted it into the air, shuffling slowly to the door as Lynn followed them carrying her guitar case.

“Am I not allowed to be happy to see my best friend?” he asked.

“Not this perky. It’s starting to scare me.”

He shrugged a bit and yawned. “How’re you so wide awake anyway?”

“I don’t sleep,” she replied simply, letting go of her end of the suitcase so it fell against the floor. “Ok, Daddy, this is it,” she said, turning to him. He scooped her into his arms and hugged her tight. “Are you sure you’ll be fine running the shop without me?”

“Yes,” he laughed a bit. It sounded forced to Justin. “Go, travel Europe, live your dreams, have fun, meet a boy.” He put heavy emphasis on the last order.

Mack made a face. “Like that’ll happen.”

“You never know, sweetheart.”

“Whatever you say.” She waved her hand before squeezing him again. “I’ll call you once we land, ok?”

“Ok, I love you.”

“Je t’aime aussi.”Philippe kissed her forehead and let her go. Mack looked down when she felt tiny feet step on hers. “Oh, I don’t want to leave them behind,” she muttered, kneeling and scooping Oreo and Little J into her arms. “Can I take them with me?”

“I don’t know, sweetie,” Lynn replied. “It would be hard for them to live on a bus and I don’t think hotels allow pets.”

“Pleeeeeeease?” She begged.

Justin noticed the hint of desperation in her voice and joined in.”Yeah, Momma, please?”

Lynn sighed. “We’ll talk to Johnny along the way, ok? Grab their carriers and if they have to come back here–“

“I’ll pick them up,” Philippe finished. “Take care of my daughter,” he addressed softly to both Justin and Lynn.

“She’s in good hands,” Lynn told him, smiling.

His facial features relaxed and he smiled in return. He stood in the doorway as they slowly carried the suitcase out of the house and put it in the trunk of the van that was waiting to take her to the airport. Mack ran back up the steps and hugged him one more time, picked up Oreo and Little J, and got into the van. He waved until the van turned a corner and drove out of sight.

He sighed and rubbed his face with his palm. “Now both my girls left me.”

* * *

It seemed to be their luck that they got to the airport earlier than they needed to which meant they had to spend two hours trying to find things to do. Justin and Chris had disappeared ten minutes ago but they haven’t been gone long enough for the others to worry. Lance was reading and JC was asleep on top of their carry-ons

Joey stared hard at the pieces on the board in front of him. He rested his elbow on his knee and propped his chin on his palm. He used his free hand to drum his fingers on his other knee. Smiling, he grabbed the black piece, moved it forward a bit, and knocked the white knight off of the board. “Ha!” he cheered triumphantly.

“You can’t do that! That’s not a real move!” Mack pointed out.

“Oh, you actually wanted to play?” Joey asked in realization. “I thought that was just a façade so the others wouldn’t bother you.”

“Façade for…?” Mack looked down at her pawn and moved it before leaning backwards, putting her weight on her palms. “I usually have a reason for not wanting you guys to bother me. Aside from the normal reason of not wanting you to bother me.”

“What?” Joey asked in confusion.

She made a face. “Yeah, I didn’t really get it either,” she admitted before the two started laughing. “And for the façade thing, it’s just…hmmm…you guys don’t seem to want to accept when I say that I’m ok and there’s nothing bothering me yet you all pry and press on the subject that it gets on my nerves.”

“Well, it’s hard not to worry about you,” Joey admitted looking back down at the board. “And it’s not just ‘cause you’re the youngest and you’re a girl. With everything that’s happening to us we don’t want you to think that we’re leaving you out or we don’t want to spend time with you. ‘Cause we do. You do so much for us and we rarely get a chance to thank you.” He moved a piece.

She waved her hand. “It’s no big deal.”

“Yes it is,” Joey insisted. “Justin says you dream of being a professional choreographer or dancer of some sort. I mean, you have to put up with us ever day just to get one step closer to your dream job and you have to work for it.” He paused. “Not that we don’t,” he quickly added. “I mean…um…well…”

“I get it,” Mack interrupted him. “And I appreciate it.” She looked down, smiled, moved a piece, and said, “Checkmate.”

“What!?” Joey grabbed the board and held it at eye level. He closed one eye and widened the other as he stared hard at the pieces. The look on his face caused Mack to burst out laughing. Lance put down the book he was reading and leaned over Joey’s shoulder. “There’s no way!”

“No, she beat you,” Lance said, looking over the pieces. “Were you even trying, Joe?”

“Nah.” He put the board down, shaking his head. “After playing against JC I don’t try anymore.” Lance chuckled and returned his attention to his book only to drop it a couple of seconds later in reaction to Chris yelling in his ear.

“You’re too easy to scare,” Chris chuckled as he and Justin sat down on either side of him. Lance muttered something incoherent under his breath as Justin and Chris unwrapped candy bars and prepared to take a bite.

“Justin, where’d you get that?” Lynn asked, stopping them.

“Candy place,” Justin replied simply.

“Where’d you get the money?” She asked, her voice laced with suspicion.

“Well, Chris and I got bored so we decided to see if anyone would give us extra change if we sang some songs. We made five dollars in change so we bought this candy.” He beamed, obviously pleased with his idea.

“You should’ve let me film that,” Joey said as he grabbed his video camera and turned it on, holding it up to his eye.

“Yeah, give the security guards a reason to tackle you and hold you for questioning. That’lll be entertaining,” Mack said as she gathered the pieces of the game and put it back in the mini box that they came out of. “More fun than holding a contest to see how long it takes for JC’s drool to reach his ear.”

“Who’s winning?” Justin asked.

“Lance is so far.”

“I don’t know what’s worse, the fact that you’re watching drool slide down JC’s face – which is disgusting by the way – or the fact that you’re betting on it,” Chris muttered, looking at the wrapper of the chocolate bar in his hands and then snorted. “Serves two people? Yeah right, buddy!” He then shoved the rest of the candy bar into his mouth and started to chew. He chomped down only about three times before his eyes widened, he made a gagging sound, and coughed the moist chocolate on the floor while the others groaned.

“I guess the companies are right when they tell you the serving size,” Lance muttered.

“Shut up!” Chris snapped, rubbing the base of his neck.

“I’m not the one choking to death.”

“I’m going to sue.”

“For not listening to them?”

“For not warning me.”

“It says on the wrapper that it serves two.”

“For all I know it could mean serves two bites.”

“Do whatever, but I’m not paying for your funeral.”

“That’s ok, you can just write my obituary,” Chris said with a dismissal wave of his hand.

“Do you know how much those cost?”

“No, how much?”

“$650 for a paragraph.”

“What!? That’s ridiculous.”

“Yeah, so I’m not going to add a picture but I’ll put two words.”

“Oh yeah? What?”

Lance looked at him and smiled innocently. “Ignorant fool.”

Chris laughed sarcastically and flipped Lance off. “God, how much longer until we can go? I hate waiting around.”

“We all know that. I guess you missed your much needed nap, Old Man,” Justin mused.

“You’re all going to want to take a nap once you get there ‘cause you’re going to need as much energy as you can get for tomorrow,” Johnny commented as he sat down in a chair near them.

“They’re that busy?” Mack questioned.

Johnny nodded. “Very busy with promotion. As soon as they wake up tomorrow they’re going to a TV interview, then they have a radio interview, and then after that they have a radio interview as well as a photo shoot and a show that night.” He chuckled when he saw the shocked and amazed looks on their faces. “It’s the price you pay when you get popular. You guys were a hit over night, might as well ride on the success before it goes down, well, if it goes down.”

“Johnny, what am I going to do?” Mack asked quietly so the others couldn’t hear her. “Not that I don’t like hanging out with the guys all day. I just want to do something different for once.”

Johnny thought about it for a couple of seconds. “Well, the Backstreet Boys have a show for this festival during the day tomorrow. I have an extra ticket for it if you’d want to catch that. This way you can see them and see the guys perform and you’re not missing much.” He paused. “If you’re into the Backstreet Boys that is.”

Mack shrugged. “To be honest I’m not fully into them but it’s better than following the guys around all day.”

“Huh. I thought you’d be one of their fans. They’re the same as Nsync in many ways, they just have a few more ballads.”

“That’s the main reason why I’m not into them. I’m not a ballad person, no matter how heartfelt they are.”

Johnny laughed. “Just wait, Little Lady, soon you’re going to become one of their fans.” He shrugged. “Maybe even get a crush on one of them.”

“Ha! The day that happens is the day Hell freezes over.”

* * *

Mack flopped down on her hotel bed and let out a sigh before it switch to a cry of pain when Justin landed on top of her. “Justin! Get off!” She groaned, poking him in the side.

“What’d you say? I can’t hear you, I’m asleep,” he muttered.

“You don’t talk in your sleep!”

“Yes I do.” He then proceeded to let out a loud, fake snore.

“Je te déteste,” Mack muttered.

“No you don’t,” Justin said, rolling onto his stomach so he was looking right into her eyes.

Her eyebrows crinkled. “How did you know what I said? You don’t understand a lick of French.”

“I understood that. You’ve been spitting it at Trace and I since you could talk.” He smiled. “You’re not that hard to figure out.”

“Thanks for establishing that, now lâche-moi.” Justin stared at her. “Get off me.” She shoved him and he hit the floor with a thud.

“You’re so abusive,” he whined, rubbing his back.

She merely shrugged and smiled innocently. “Blame Trace, he’s the one who taught me to fight back.”

“Remind me to tell him that I hate him.”

“Hey Justin! Come quick,” Chris shouted as he burst into the room. “We’re dropping water balloons from the balcony.”

“So? C’s going to stop us in a few minutes anyway,” Justin said, shrugging.

“Not this time. He’s dead asleep in his room.”

“Oh, I am so there!”

Mack’s plams itched. She really wanted to join them in throwing water balloons but decided against it. The lsat thing she wanted as JC scolding her like he was her dad or something. Shaking her head a bit she went to go find Lynn who was in the bathroom brushing out her hair, saying something about how altitude messed it up. Mack wanted to call her out on it, asking how altitude could really do that but she chalked it u to being a Lynn thing so she didn’t say anything.

“Are you ok, sweetie?” Lynn asked once she noticed Mack leaning against the doorway to the bathroom.

“I’m bored,” she replied. “The guys are doing something stupid and JC’s sleeping.”

Lynn chuckled. “Why don’t you come with me to the store? I want to pick up some things before so we have some food to eat while on the tour bus so we don’t have to keep stopping at fast food places.”

“Sure.” She shrugged and backed out of the bathroom so Lynn could leave herself. She quickly scribbled a note and left it on the TV, sure that Justin would see it once he got back into their room. She grabbed her purse and the two went down the hall, into the elevator, down to the lobby and out to their rental car. “How the heck do they expect people to read these maps?” Mack mumbled as she turned the map upside down and sideways trying to figure out where they were.

“Well they expect people to know German,” Lynn pointed out.

“Not everyone in the freaking world knows German! Geeze! It’s not that hard to put stuff in English!” Lynn laughed as Mack continued to rant about how Germany was trying to get Americans lost on purpose instead of helping them when they finally made it to the store. Her rant somehow changed to something about Kaiser Rolls. “And do they have to be so damn hard? I practically broke a tooth on one of those.”

“Quiet down, you wouldn’t want to upset them,” Lynn finally laughed, shushing the girl almost automatically. Her hands were shoved in her pockets and her shoulders were slumped as she followed Lynn quietly, only speaking up to stop Lynn from buying something that one of the guys hated or disliked. “May I ask you something?” Lynn finally broke the silence.

“Sure, Lynn,” Mack replied in a distracted tone, reading a box of cereal.

“I wanted to talk to you about that. Why do you call me Lynn?” She questioned, looking at the young girl.

She replaced the box on the shelf and looked over at the woman. “That’s your name,” she replied simply.

“I know, but you don’t call me Lynn. You usually call me Momma Lynn. Why’d you stop?”

Mack shrugged but stated simply, “You’re not my Momma.”

Lynn suddenly stopped walking. It finally clicked. “That’s what this is about?” Mack stayed silent. “Why you’re been so quiet lately? Why you’ve had a shorter fuse than usual? It’s about your mother, isn’t it?” Mack shrugged. “Sweetie, come here.” She pulled Mack towards her and held her tight. Mack tensed at first, he could feel it, but she finally relaxed so much it was as if her body went limp. “I know what you’re going through his hard, especially since you’re older, but you have to know that your parents splitting up isn’t your fault nor were you the cause of it. They’re splitting up because of their own problems.”

“I know.” Her words were choked and slightly muffled. “It’s just…they think I couldn’t see this happening and they won’t say anything to me.” She pulled out of Lynn’s grasp and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. “I mean, I’ve always had this weird suspicion ever since I was younger that they were too perfect, you know?” Lynn nodded and rubbed her back in between her shoulder blades. She sniffed and hastily wiped the tears from her eyes and Lynn smiled a bit at her reaction. She never liked to let anyone see her cry, it made her feel vulnerable. “If I got tears in this thing…” she muttered, turning her attention to her cast.

Lynn chuckled and finished up the rest of the shopping and they went back to the hotel. Lynn raised an eyebrow when she saw Justin sitting cross legged on his bed, looking at her as soon as she came through the door, a sheepish smile was on his face.

“Oooh, what’d you do this time?” Mack asked eagerly, a grin spreading across her face.

“That’s for Justin to say to his mother,” JC replied, standing over him, arms crossed.

“No way am I leaving now.” Mack put down her bags and rubbed her hands together. “What’s his punishment this time?”

Lynn sighed. “JC…”

He nodded and lightly grabbed Mack’s upper arm. “Hey! I want to see what happens!” She protested, trying to wiggle out of JC’s grasp but he propelled her right out the door. “JC! Come on!” She whined.

“You have the weirdest sense of humor, you know that?” JC asked as he jabbed the down button with his thumb.

“But that’s just one of my many charms.” JC made a scoffing noise and let go of her arm as soon as they stepped into the elevator. He rocked back and forth on his feet, his hands in his pockets, whistling as he waited for the elevator to get to the bottom floor. “Where are you taking me?” She finally demanded.

JC stopped whistling and merely smiled. “You’ll see.”

“Oh my gosh, you’re kidnapping me!” She exclaimed pointing an accusing finger in his face.                        

He just laughed. “I’d go to greater lengths if I were kidnapping you. This is too easy.”

End Notes:
I loved writing this chapter so much but it was so long that I had to split it up into two chapters. Please leave a review.
Hell Freezes Over Part 2 by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
Here's part two!

Chapter 24: Hell Freezes Over Part 2

JC could feel her eyes boring holes into the back of his head as they walked down the busy street of Munich, Germany. Probably wondering where he was taking her. Truthfully he didn’t know; he just knew he had to get her away from Lynn and Justin, she wasn’t needed there.

“JC Chasez! Vous me dire où tu me prend maintenant! (You tell me where you are taking me right now!)” She finally barked.

JC stopped in his tracks to look back at her. “If I didn’t understand French three years ago what makes you think I understand it now?” She just crossed her arms over her chest and ‘humph’ed. “You gotta stop doing that.”

“Why?”

“’Cause it’s not attractive.”

She squinted. “You’ve been talking to my dad.”

“What does your dad have to do with anything?”

“He wants me to get a boyfriend while I’m on the road.”

JC laughed. “Doesn’t he realize that we’re not going to stay in the same place every day? And besides long distance relationships don’t work.”

“Wait a second.” JC raised his eyebrows. “Are you saying that I can’t get a boyfriend?”

“No, I’m saying that it would be hard to keep one,” JC replied. “Geeze, why do you always turn everything I say into something offensive?”

“’Cause you like to get on my nerves.”

“I don’t like to, I just do it but it’s your own fault you’re quick to jump the gun.”

“FYI I’ve had a boyfriend before.”

“That’s news to me.” JC turned and continued walking down the street. She had to run a bit to catch up with his long stride.

“And you don’t care?” She asked.

“Not really, it’s your life you can do whatever you want with it.”

“What the heck is wrong with you? Usually you guys attack me whenever I mention hanging out with a guy other than you.”

“That’s just Justin, Chris, and Joey, I could really care less. As I said it’s your own life you can do what you want with it as long as you don’t hurt. Then I’ll kick the guy’s ass.” He paused. “Why’d you break up?”

She smirked. “So you do care?”

“Just a little,” JC admitted before lightly grabbing her elbow and pulling her into a café. They ordered hot chocolate and apple cider and sat down at an unoccupied table.

“What is it you really want to know?” Mack asked.

“Are you really that cynical?”

“I’ve learned to keep my guard up even when it comes to you guys so you might as well spill you beans. I can tell when you guys are hiding something from me, believe it or not.”

“I could say the same about you,” JC replied, leaning back in his chair. “What’s going on?” Mack merely raised her eyebrows. “You’re easily irritated, I know that, but lately you’ve been irate. You blow up at the smallest things like Chris not screwing the top of a milk container on all the way.” She stayed silent. “Justin says something’s going on with your family.”

“Justin has a big mouth,” Mack finally snapped.

“He’s just worried, we all are.”

“How many times do I have to tell you–”

“That you can take care of yourself?” JC interrupted. “Look, honeybee, you’ve been telling me that since you were twelve. I didn’t believe you before and I don’t believe you now.”

“Honeybee?” She questioned.

“Don’t change the subject.”

“I’m honestly curious. Why honeybee?”

“’Cause you claim that you hate when I call you honey, which is a reflex since I’ve been calling my sister that for years and it stuck. I knew I wouldn’t be able to stop saying it just like that, especially since I don’t realize I do it most of the time, so I figured honeybee is appropriate seeing as you can be sweet one minute and have a sharp tongue the next.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.”

“In some cases it’s not but when people are trying to get to know you it is. You have this wall protected around you that you won’t let anyone in. Why is that?”

She shrugged. “Momma always told me that I had to be strong and not let people walk all over me. If they see an opening they’ll keep doing it and push me around and control my life and I don’t want that.”

“Yet you let Justin use you like a doormat,” JC pointed out. She let out a short breath, one of her annoyed ones and JC knew to back off of the subject. “We’ve been noticing some stuff…”

“Liiiike?” She asked before taking a sip of her cider.

“Well, you’re acting funny.”

“So does Chris but you don’t call him out on it.”

“Well, no you’re right, but you’re not acting funny in a way that you’re trying to get people to laugh. You’re acting funny in a way that’s not like you at all.”

“What are you, my psychiatrist?”

“You have a psychiatrist? I knew you were weird but crazy…”

“Funny, Chasez.”

“Seriously, though”–he paused to pinch at a marshmallow and dropped it into his mouth–“Lance says you become tense whenever Lou is around. He’s not the only one to notice it, I’ve noticed too. And you seem to hate talking to him and avoid him like the plague. What has he done to you?”

A better question is what hasn’t he done to me Mack though bitterly but didn’t say a word. She tossed a few excuses around in her mind before settling on, “Something about him is weird to me. Like, he’s too eager to help you guys out.”

“What do you mean?”

“Like…he takes you guys out to dinner for no reason on some occasion. He takes you places in his best cars. He’s even offered to let you use his private jets on some occasions. It’s just…weird. It’s like he strives to please you guys so much more than a normal person should. It freaks me out.”

“He’s just being nice,” JC replied, but he hesitated when he said that. Of course he noticed Lou’s generosity and thought it was weird as well but he didn’t want to say anything about it. Lou could easily take away everything they’ve had and JC didn’t want that, not when they worked so hard to get where they were. True, they weren’t big in the US yet but over in Europe it was obvious that they were doing well. Their single was on its way to the top and that was saying something for a new group.

“Whatever you say,” Mack sighed, sipping the rest of her drink and crushing the Styrofoam cup in her hand. She stood abruptly and turned to go to the nearest trashcan when she bumped into something. Not something, someone, but all the registered in her mind was that she hit a brick wall made of muscle.

What the heck? She took a step back and looked up to apologize whoever it was that she had ran into when her words got stuck in her throat. Her eyes met with a pair of breathtaking blues that was set on a slight baby-face which had produced a bright white smile.

“Sorry about that,” he apologized. “Are you ok?” His eyes and voice were laced with concern. She could only nod. “Good,” he sighed with relief before tilting his head a bit. “Wait, I know you.”

“Huh?” Was all Mack could get out.

“You’re that Mackenzie girl, right? ‘N Sync’s choreographer?” The blond haired Adonis asked. She nodded dumbly. “I knew it! The guys are going to flip.” She continued to stare at him in confusion. “Oh, sorry, where are my manners? I’m Nick. Nick Carter.” He held out his hand.

That’s when it hit her. Of course! The hair, the eyes, the smile, the damn face. How did I not notice? She shook her head a bit and shook his hand. “I’m Mack, that’s JC,” she said while pointing.

“One of ‘N Sync’s lead singers,” Nick said, nodding and holding out his hand to JC. JC shook it.

“You heard our stuff?” He asked.

Nick nodded again. “Johnny plays your stuff all of the time to show us our ‘competition’.” He laughed and made finger quotes. JC tensed. “Don’t worry, he don’t call you guys our competition. We like what you’ve been doing so far, it’s really impressive. I see you’ve taken the entertainment route.”

“What do you mean?”

“Johnny and Lou wanted us to focus more on our voices than our dancing ability, not that it’s a bad thing for you guys to be doing the later. I think your dance moves are amazing.” He then smiled at Mack. “Which is thanks to you, I hear. How long have you been dancing?”

“Since I could walk,” she replied automatically. She didn’t even have to think about the answer anymore. It always came out that way when she talked.

“Johnny’s been telling us about you too. How we should think about hiring you to come up with some moves for our next video and stuff,” he replied, continued his eyes twinkling. “Would you be interested?”

“Uhh…”

“She’s going to have to talk with Johnny about it before she gives you a flat-out answer,” JC jumped in. “Speaking of which we better head back of Johnny will have our heads. Sorry.”

Nick laughed a little. “It’s cool. I’ll just catch you guys later.”

JC nodded, gripped Mack’s shoulders, wheeled her around, and pushed her out the door of the café. “Hey Mack.”

“What?”

“You might want to close your mouth before you catch flies.”

“Shut up,” she mumbled.

JC laughed. “You were star struck, admit it.”

“I was not,” she denied. “I was…disoriented.”

“By his blinding white teeth?” JC guessed.

“Shut up!”

“So when’s the wedding date?”

“I hate you.”

“No you don’t.”

“Yes I do.”

“Keep telling yourself that.”

“You’re such a nuisance.”

“But I’m your nuisance.”

“Ugh.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Can we go back to the hotel now?” Mack asked, yawning a bit. They’ve been out for a while, just walking and talking but now Mack’s feet were starting to hurt and she wanted to eat something but JC kept dragging her to different stores to look at stuff.

“Not yet, I want to do one more thing,” he replied, glancing at his watch.

“But Jayceeeee, I’m freeeeeziiiiing,” Mack whined. She could barely feel her nose it was so cold and she was sure her cheeks resembled tomatoes by now. She blinked when he held out his sweatshirt to her. “Thanks,” she mumbled, pulling the heavy material over her head.

JC tried to fight the smile that was coming to his face but he couldn’t help it. She looked like she was drowning in the sweat shirt ‘cause she was so small. The bottom reached her knees and the sleeves hung well past her hands. She made a face and wrinkled her nose, what he secretly called her Rabbit Face.

“Are you laughing at me?” She demanded.

“No,” he denied.

“Won’t you be cold?”

“I’ll be fine.” They walked down the street in silence but it was comfortable. It was as if their silence was speaking volumes even though they weren’t saying anything. Mack was glad that the sweatshirt was so big; she could scratch around her cut now without being asked about it. It itched like crazy. She still wasn’t sure what made her cut herself and she knew better than to talk to anyone about it. Then they would ask her tons of questions give her those pity looks and maybe even send her to some insane asylum or something. She was pulled out of her thoughts when she crashed right into JC. Today’s not my day. “We’re here,” JC announced. Mack looked at him before looking at the large fountain that was in front of them, spitting out water that silently landed in the pool below. “Here.” JC held out a closed hand. Mack opened hers (well, move like opened her hand I the sleeve) and he dropped pennies into them. “Make a wish,” he said, lightly nudging her with his elbow then closed his eyes tight.

Mack looked back and forth between the pennies and JC wondering if he was being serious. She decided he must have been ‘cause he started flicking pennies into the fountain rapid fire. Sighing, she closed her eyes. What can I wish about? More wishes are lame. Happiness has been done too many times and I don’t need to wish for it. What. To. Wish. For. She sighed again and opened her eyes, letting out a little shriek and stepping back when she realized how close JC’s face was to hers.

“You’re taking too long,” he whined. “Just make a wish all ready.” Then he grinned wickedly. “Or I could just throw you into the fountain with them and wish for you.”

“Don’t even think about it,” she snarled.

“Ok, fine, just give me some of yours as a penalty.” Before she could say anything he grabbed half of the pennies in her hand and closed her eyes. He suddenly open his eyes, threw the pennies and yelled, “I wish that Mack would listen to us and accept the fact that we’re worried about her.”

“You’re a freak,” she muttered when people looked at JC as if he were crazy.

“But I’m honest,” he pointed out. “And I figured if you wouldn’t accept it by hearing me say it you’d accept it by me embarrassing you and by how red your cheeks are it worked.”

“I’m as pale as a ghost, you moron, my cheeks always turn red when it’s cold,” she replied, putting heavy emphasis on the last word. She quickly closed her eyes, flicked her pennies into the water, and opened them. “Now come on. I want to get warm.”

“Yes ma’am.” He jumped off the edge of the fountain and walked with her in the direction of the hotel. “Do you believe me now?”

She sighed and rolled her eyes. “Yes I believe you now.”

“Good.” A sudden gust of wind caused Mack to shiver. JC instinctively draped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her to his side.

“Why’d you take me out?”

“Because it was my turn for one thing and I felt like you needed it or else you would’ve slowly gone crazy,” he responded.

“I thought it was Joey’s turn this time.”

He shook his head. Mack frowned. She made it a point to spend time with the guys individually as much as she did with all of them and she set up a certain order to give them the same amount of her attention (why they craved her attention so much was still a mystery to her). Last time it was Chris’, the time before that was Lance…oh, he’s right. ‘Cause Joey is after JC and Justin is after Joey. “I’m right, aren’t I?”

“Shut up.”

JC faked a hurt tone. “And here I thought we were friends. How could you forget about me like that?”

“I didn’t forget! Usually you guys tell me when you want to do something in advance! You don’t kidnap me.”

“I did not kidnap you.”

“Yes you did. How was I supposed to know you wanted to do something today? You didn’t inform me and that’s kidnapping.”

“Quiet down before people think I’m abducting you.”

“They don’t even speak English!”

JC laughed. “That’s still getting to you? Goll-ee, you’re so uptight.”

“Remember I’m the one that’s making you guys look good, I could easily set you guys up for disaster,” she pointed out.

“But you would never do that.”

“Well, I hate you so I could.”

“You don’t hate me.”

“Yeah, I know.”

I See Gold in Your Future by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
Special chapter: Justin's birthday!!

Chapter 25: I See Gold in Your Future

January 31st 1997

“Will you get that smile off of your face? It is seriously creeping me out.”

Justin stuck his tongue out at Chris and stretched his arms above his head, purposely waving his hands in Chris’s face. Chris leaned from side to side, trying to move away from the fingers that was obstructing his vision as Justin cackled evilly. Joey grinned and took the opportunity to move his race car across the finish line as Chris’s car swerved.

“Ha! In your face!” Joey cheered, throwing his arms into the air.

“No fair! Curly was obstructing my vision,” Chris protested. “You could get a ticket for that.”

“You can’t be mad at me. It’s my birthday,” Justin said as he yanked the controller from Chris’s hands. Chris muttered something about lame excuses under his breath as Justin took his turn battling Joey. Chris grinned and slowly slid his hands in front of Justin’s face, obstructing his view such as Justin did a few minutes before. Next to Chris, Mack chuckled but didn’t shift her attention from the planner that was lying out in front of her, tapping a pen against her chin. JC and Lance were lying down on the other bed watching Justin and Joey play the game quietly.

It was the first time in a while that their morning was free and they were spending it the way they wanted: doing nothing. Later in the afternoon they had an interview to do on BMG’s website and would probably perform one of their songs (the latter was still undecided). Either way their day was free and that’s the way they liked it.

“Are you sure that we only have the interview today?” JC asked, tilting his head a bit. “It feels weird having nothing to do.”

“Yes, JC, for the tenth time, the only thing you have scheduled today is an interview for BMG,” Mack replied, pulling the cap off of a highlighter and highlighted something. She tapped her chin a again before switching the highlighter with a pen. She was gathering every shred of patience she had inside of her and was preparing them for the ride of their lives.

In the next few weeks, after watching one or two shows Lynn was going to go back to work which meant that would leave Mack all alone with a bunch of boys that could easily grate and grind at her nerves. It was going to be more of a challenge for her than for them. She was the one who had to make sure she was somewhat pleasant or else they wouldn’t be able to work together at all. And the last thing she wanted was for them to be out of focus because of her.

She closed her planner with a snap, rolled off of the bed (rolling over Chris in the process) and walked towards the door once her feet reached the floor. She left the room—remembering to move the little door stop handle over so she could get back into the room easily—humming to herself as she looked at the notes that she had scribbled into her planner.

“Hey Little Lady, do you have a second?’ Johnny asked, sticking his head out of a door. She looked up at him and nodded, walking into the room. She hovered by the door and raised her eyebrows when she saw the large dark skinned men sitting around the room. They each looked up when she walked in. “Mack this is Randy Jones, Todd Dukes, Eric Burrows, Michael Greaves, Lonnie Jones, Wesley Long, and Andre Persons. They’ve been hired as ‘N Sync’s body guards.”

“Bodyguards?” She repeated. “They need bodyguards now?”

“Yes. Their fanbase has grown rapidly once their single came out,” Johnny replied. “It was the same as when the Backstreet Boys started. Soon a lot of fans showed up wherever they were and tried to get to them and get their things signed or just to touch them. They slow us down, especially if we’re in a rush to get somewhere. They even jump in front of cars. We’re using the bodyguards not only for the safety of the boys but for the safety of the fans.”

“Wait, there are seven guys and five of them. These guys are big, I’m sure they’re only going to need one bodyguard per person.” The bodyguards chuckled at how blunt she was being.

“Two of them are for you,” Johnny replied.

“Huh?”

“If you haven’t noticed you’re tiny. You’re 5’2” and pretty small. These girls are going to eventually put two and two together and realize that you’re their friends, especially since you go out with them all of the time. They’re going to want to know every single thing about you and they’re going to want to go through you to get to them. That’s why there are more bodyguards here, we want you safe as well and I’m sure the boys agree with me.”

“Ok, now you’re scaring me,” she muttered causing the bodyguards to laugh.

“Could you go get the boys for me?”

“Sure.”

Mack went right back out of the room and back to the boys’ room. She pushed open the door only to be met with a pillow to her face. Why do I always get hit in the face? She scrunched up her nose a bit as the guys stopped and stared at her. “Johnny wants to talk to you guys.”

“About what?” Justin asked.

“I can’t read the guy’s mind. Go and figure it out, lazy ass!”

“God, fine!”

They jumped down from the beds they were having their pillow fight on and left the room. Mack quickly closed her planner and tossed it on a bed. Then she opened the closet and pulled out saran wrap (why it was in the closet she still didn’t understand). She quickly pulled out sheets and taped them to the open door.

“What’re you doing?” Lynn asked with a smile as she came into the room from the connecting one next door.

“Playing a trick,” she replied, quickly applying more tape and inspecting it to make sure the saran wrap was pulled tight. “Now sit back and act like nothing’s wrong.” Mack jumped onto the bed and started to change the channel as she tried to hide her smile. It only got bigger when she heard their voices getting louder and louder. “Justin! Hurry! You have to see this!” Mack called, jumping off the bed, grabbing Joey’s video camera and turning it on.

The sound of pounding footsteps filled the hall and got louder and louder as he got closer. Justin appeared in the doorway and he turned to go into the room. He was moving fast enough that when he smacked into the saran wrap and stumbled backwards and fell into the other wall. Mack cracked up as well as the others who pointed and laughed but Justin just sat there, stunned.

Joey reached out his hand and laughed harder as he took down the saran wrap that covered the doorway and stepped into the room. “Did you get that on tape?” He asked. Mack was laughing so hard that the only thing she could do was nod. “Awesome!” He held out his hand and they high fived. “Being around Chris has definitely rubbed off on you.”

“I’ve taught you well,” Chris said in a fake crying voice as he hugged her.

“How could you do this to me on my birthday?” Justin asked, sticking out his bottom lip.

“’Cause you do stuff to me when it’s not my birthday,” she replied, finally being able to stop laughing. Her face was still really red, through. “Besides my limbic system made me do it.” Lance and Mack looked at each other and cracked up.

“Your what?” Justin asked in confusion.

“I’ll explain later,” she said with a wave of her hand. “So what’d Johnny want?”

“He wanted to introduce us to our new bodyguards. Then he was telling us how we’re going to get to the interview and what we should wear.”

“Do they still want you to match?”

“Mhm.”

“Ok, Lynn and I will come up with something.” She looked at her watch and gave Joey his camera back. “See you later, boys.”

“Where are you headed?” Joey asked.

“I want to play with Oreo and Little J for a bit.”

“Want some company?”

“Sure.”

“Do you guys really think we need bodyguards while we’re here?” Chris asked flopping down on the bed and holding his chin in his hands. He wasn’t looking at the TV scree, he was looking past it at the wall, a faraway look was in his eyes. “That’s kinda weird.”

“Johnny says to expect Beatlemania with our fame,” Lance replied. His voice was laced with some hesitance though, as if he didn’t believe it himself. He still couldn’t believe that something like that was actually happening to them. He kept thinking that everything that was happening to them was a long dream that he couldn’t wake up from. The others stayed quiet letting it all sink in. “That’s kinda freaky,” he finally spoke up. “I mean, the Beatles were huge.”

“Johnny says the Backstreet Boys were the same way,” JC spoke up.

“I hate how Johnny always talks about them,” Justin muttered.

“Can you blame him? He’s their manager too.”

“I wish he was only ours.”

“You can wish for that when you blow out the candles on your cake,” Chris commented dryly. “Get over it, whiny-ass.”

Justin didn’t even retaliate like he normally would. He just rolled off of the bed and went over to the door that connected the room to his and his mothers’. Lynn was going through her purse, probably making sure she had enough money to go out shopping later. Lynn always ended up shopping for them if they needed to wear matching clothes (something Justin still didn’t understand but he thought it was funny at the same time). She looked up when Justin dropped down on his bed and let out a slow breath.

“Is everything ok, sweetie?” Lynn asked.

“Everything’s fine,” Justin replied honestly. “I’m just gearing up for the interview. I’m trying to imagine responses to questions that they could possibly ask.” He tilted his head. “Shopping again?”

She nodded. “The funny thing is you guys are going to go home with more clothes than you came here with.” She smiled and Justin chuckled. “I know I say this a lot but I’m really proud of you, honey.”

“I know, Momma,” Justin replied, smiling. “I know.” Lynn walked over to him and placed a kiss on his forehead. “Momma, when you go could you put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door? I want to get some rest before the interview.”

“Ok sweetie.”

Justin watched as she bustled around the room for a few more minutes before leaving and closing the door behind her with a click. He closed his eyes, let out a slow breath, and let his mind wander. He was finally sixteen. He smiled to himself. That meant he could drive and do other things that sixteen-year-olds could do. Like…drive a date somewhere or…drive anywhere they wanted. Basically he wanted to freedom to be able to go anywhere whenever he wanted to. He just needed a car…

He rolled over onto his stomach and hugged a pillow to his chest. Sixteen-years-old and he was all ready living one of his dreams: to become a successful respectful recording artist. And the fact that he was doing it with his four best friends was a bonus. No. not best friends, brothers. He didn’t think he’d be able to do it alone, he wouldn’t do it alone. Being ‘N Sync and having their support was the only way he knew how to live now. If they were ever taken away from him for any reason at all…he didn’t know how he’d be able to live.

He grabbed the phone by his bed and dialed Trace’s number. As soon as Trace picked up he bid his friend a happy birthday at such high volumes that Justin had to jerk the phone away from his ear. Chuckling Justin thanked him and then they talked about what was going on on either ends.  Trace said something about two of their old friends getting together and then he mentioned something about Veronica Finn wanting to get into singing and Justin’s heart soared.

Justin never told anyone but he had been dating Veronica (Huckleberry Finn to him) for a bit. Trace had set the two up and they instantly had formed a bond. They started dating a few weeks after they met and they were still going on strong. He called her late at night so the others wouldn’t disturb them or make fun of them. He always knew that Veronica had a great singing voice and always said she should peruse music (so they could have something else in common) but she never went for it. Now that she was he was really excited for her.

He talked to Trace for a few more minutes, managed to get Veronica on the phone and talked to her a bit, and then hung up. He stayed awake thinking a bit and fell asleep because the next thing he knew he was being woken by his mom shaking his shoulder.

“Wake up, honey, you have to get changed so we can go,” she said as she held out a plastic bag. He took it and went into the bathroom. He pulled out a pair of black pants and a shimmery, silver silk shirt. He quickly showered, changed into the clothes, and was brushing his hair when Chris yelled through the door about him taking forever staring in the mirror. Justin just shook his head and set his brush down on the counter and opened the door.

Finally!” Chris sighed, shaking his head as he tired a bandana around his forehead. “Geeze, what do you do in there?” He paused. “Never mind, I don’t want to know.”

“Get yer mind out of the gutter,” Mack muttered, rolling her eyes. Chris just smiled innocently. She shoved him and he stumbled a bit but caught his balance. “What’s with that smile?” She asked, raising an eyebrow at the grin that was on Justin’s face.

“Huckleberry is pursuing singing as a career,” he replied, following everyone out of the room.

“Yay.” Mack tired to sound enthusiastic but it failed although Justin didn’t notice.

“This is so cool. Now we can talk about music. Not that we couldn’t before but now…” She tuned him out as he went on and on about is beloved Veronica. She tried to like Veronica, honestly she did, but something about the Finn girl irked her but she couldn’t put her finger on it. Veronica was really nice and pretty, in a way, but she just didn’t like her and she didn’t like them together. Of course she would never say that to their faces, she didn’t know how she would even if she tried.

As they walked down the street in the chilly January air, flagged on all sides by their bodyguards, the noticed that Justin had a bounce in his step. Chris chuckled and started calling him out on it wondering what it was that had gotten him so happy. Justin just said that it was because he was happy about it being his birthday.

“Yeah, right, that can’t be it,” Chris said as he rubbed his red nose.

“No, really, I’m just happy that it’s finally my birthday,” Justin replied.

“Yeah, sure, whatever you say, Bounce.” Chris said it in a dismissive tone but he continued to stare at the back of Justin’s head as if he’d be able to read the young boy’s mind.

“Will you stop staring at me like that?” Justin asked without turning around.

“Tell me the truth and I will.”

“Stop looking at me you freak.”

“Tell me the truth, then.”

“Leave me alone!”

If you leave me you’re going to spoil a dream we shared…” Joey sang under his breath. JC smiled and joined in on singing the song, shoving his cold hands into the pockets of his jeans. He and Joey started bouncing a bit as they walked as if the song was playing out loud. Lance smiled and joined in on their singing. Chris stopped in the middle of his and Justin’s argument to correct Lance, JC, and Joey about the song lyrics before singing himself. Justin, not wanting to be left out, sang along with them as Lynn and Mack smiled and shook their heads.

“Please don’t go. PLEASE DON’T GO!” Chris sang, well, screamed at the top of his lungs so he could be heard over the others.

YOU’RE THE ONLY ANGEL I KNOW!” Justin practically yelled in Mack’s ear, slinging an arm across her shoulders. She was getting ready to grab his arm and throw it off of her yelling something at him but the sparkle in his eye stopped her. Ah, hell it’s his birthday. Might as well let him enjoy it, she told herself, smiling a bit as she jabbed him in the side with her fingers. He squirmed away from her as she reached out and tried to tickle him. “Aaah, stop!” he laughed as the others kept singing.

“You were sent from heaven above to love me forever!” Mack joined in. The guys grinned and had a little celebration in her joining in on their antics. She jumped onto Justin’s back and he hooked his arms under her legs. She slid her arms around his warm neck and rested her chin on her arms. “Do you feel any older?”

“Not really,” he admitted. “I feel the same. I guess it just hasn’t hit me yet.”

“Don’t sweat it, I still feel like I’m thirteen.”

“That’s ‘cause you act like you’re thirteen.”

“Hey.” She lightly flicked his ear and he smiled. “You’re mean,” she mumbled into his neck.

“I’d rather be the only one who’s mean to you. I don’t want anyone else hurting you,” he replied.

“Thanks.” She paused. “I love you, just wanted you to know.”

“I know.” He smiled. “I love you, too.”

“Race you there!” Chris suddenly yelled, shattering the peace of their world.

“Go! Go! Go!” Mack laughed, pointing after Chris. Justin laughed as well and ran after Chris, ignoring the shouts of the bodyguards from behind them. Their laughter filled the otherwise still, cold air.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Justin tapped his feet against the ground as he waited for the room to be set up and filled with some fans. The interview was going to be filmed, maybe even put on TV, and they wanted some of ‘N Sync’s best fans to be in the audience supporting them.

He swallowed and suddenly noticed how dry his voice was. Why was he so nervous? It was just an interview like usual, just with a more intimate setting. But something inside of him was buzzing. He only felt that buzz whenever something really good was going to happen to him but what was it?

He blinked when a flash went off in his face. He looked up and locked his eyes with his small reflection. Mack grinned as she lowered her camera. “Sorry, it was a good shot that I couldn’t pass up. Did I blind ya?”

He shook his head. “I’m ok; you just scared me a little.” He nodded his head towards the camera. “Following in your dad’s footsteps?”

“You could say that,” she replied. “I just get a little bored so I figured I’d take pictures of everything so we could make, like, an ‘N Sync scrapbook every year. I know it’s kinda dorky but–”

“I think it’s a good idea, BabyGirl,” he interrupted her. “All of your ideas are good ones. Well, not all of them but…”

She playfully swatted him on the head. “You’re the one who puts those ideas in my head, you know.”

“Me?” He widened his eyes innocently. “I do no such thing.”

“Yeah yeah, keep lyin’ Timberlake.”

“C’mon Jusitn, it’s time to go,” Lance said as he stuck his head around the corner.

“Have fun!” Mack chirped.

“Wait a second.” Justin grabbed her wrist and looked at her. “You’re up to something. Spill it, what do you know?”

“I know nothing,” she replied.

“Well, that’s true.” Justin let go of her wrist and ducked out of her swinging arm. “See ya,” he called over his shoulder before following the boys down the hall towards the sounds of screams and cheers. Justin kept his hand wrapped around his mic, licking his lips and slowing his suddenly racing heart. The next thing he knew he had stepped onto the stage, bright lights hitting his face, cameras moving into a ready position, screams reaching his ears. Everything made  a genuine smile form on his face. This was what he lived for.

For the next hour, which felt like an eternity for the boys (in a good way) they sang, danced, and answered questions. They even took time to sign things for the fans that were screaming during the interview. All the while Lynn and Mack were videotaping and taking many pictures. The man giving the interview waved his hands a bit to get the audience to quiet down before he spoke.

“Now, ladies and gentleman, congratulations to JC. Chris. Justin. Joey. And Lance. ‘N Sync.” The guys waved and bowed as the audience cheered again. Mack grinned when she saw the question marks in their eyes as the man started talking in German before switching over to English. “Today we are here to congratulate the boys on their success.” The boys looked at each other as Johnny took the stage and took the microphone from the man.

“Their single was released a few months ago but it was because of you, the fans, that they have done well so far,” Johnny said with a smile never taking his eyes off of the boys. “Because of you fans I have the privilege to announce to you, ‘N Sync, that your debut Single “I Want You Back” has reached Gold certification. Congratulations guys.” Their eyes widened as a few fans walked onstage and presented them each with a plaque that held their Gold record and the audience applauded for their success.

Justin grinned as he looked at his Gold plaque. He knew today would be a good day and it’s gotten better. He would be able to celebrate his birthday with his best friends in the entire world and their single went Gold! He didn’t know what to do but smile. He didn’t even remember what he said when a mic was passed to him to thank everyone for getting them the Gold. He was sure that he wasn’t making any sense he was so delirious with jubilation.

JC was staring at the Gold plaque as well but there was no facial expression on his face whatsoever. Is this a dream? Is this really happening right now? He felt a pinch on his elbow and saw Chris grinning at him. JC smiled as well. This is real. We did it! We actually did it! That’s one step towards our ultimate goal and we’ve reached this one. We can do anything now. JC leaned forward a bit and waited until Mack looked up from his camera and nodded at her. She nodded back, handed her camera to Lynn, and pushed her way through the crowd.

“Ladies and gentleman I want to thank you all again for helping us achieve such a wonderful feat. It’s because of you, the fans, that we were able to reach Gold so thank you once again,” JC said into his microphone. “Now, today is a special day because we got Gold. Not only that, but today happens to be Justin’s sixteenth birthday.” Chris and Joey took turns slapping Justin’s arms and ruffling his hair as he smiled and blushed. Chris moved out of the way so Mack could come on stage and present the red, thin, circular cake to Justin, the candles on top were standing tall and bright.

“Make a wish!” She said as she held onto the cake.

Justin tapped his chin as the people in the audience cheered. He leaned forward, sucked in a breath so his cheeks bulged, and blew it all out. He raised his arms into the air in triumph before leaning forward and taking a bite out of his cake. “Mmm, that’s good,” he said as he wiped a bit of chocolate off of his chin. “Thank you so much. I can honestly say that this is my best birthday ever. Now, I want you all to know that now that I’m sixteen I’m going to take every advantage of being sixteen to drive as much as I can when I can.” He turned to Lynn. “And yes, Momma, I’m going to drive fast, I’m letting you know that now.” He smiled innocently as everyone else laughed. “Also, if you fans ever see a really fast car coming up behind you, don’t panic. Just move over and I’ll go around you.”

“C’mon, man! Finish the speech all ready!” Joey said as he nudged Justin in the side and he laughed.

“Ok, ok. Thank you once again, I love you all.” Justin kissed his fingertips and waved to the audience who burst into more applause.

“Now, who wants to sing Happy Birthday to Justin?” Mack asked, taking his microphone from him. “Me”s and a few “Hell yeah”s were heard over the noise. “Ok, we’ll sing but this Happy Birthday song is a little bit different. We figured that Justin deserved a different version of the song and we’ve been working really hard on this for the past couple of days so we hope you enjoy it, J. You just have to stand over there.” She gently pushed him to the other side of the stage as Lance and Joey joined her.

“Wait, you’re going to sing?” He asked her.

“Yup. But only for you.” She looked at the other guys nodded and started snapping to count them in. “One…two…one, tow, a one two three four.” They brought their mics to their mouths and began to sing.

Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday just for you. Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday…

Justin’s cheeks started to hurt from how much he was smiling. He looked down at his red cake and suddenly it started to change shaped. It swirled and shifted as if going down the drain. He blinked and felt two tears roll down his cheeks.

Tears of happiness.

I have the best friends in the entire world.

End Notes:
Well, what do you think? Please leave some love.
Mother and Child Reunion by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
Oooh, drama.

Chapter 26: Mother and Child Reunion

February 6th, 1997

Justin stirred to the sound of clacking of keys early one morning. He rolled over in his bed and saw Mack hunched over, looking hard at the laptop screen. He lifted his wrist to his face and saw that it was only six in the morning. Grumbling something he sat up and rubbed his eyes. “What are you doing?” He snarled. “Do you have any idea what time it is?”

“Get the stick out of your butt, Timberlake, I haven’t done anything to you,” she muttered without looking at him. Her voice was kinda phlegmy but he ignored it.

“How about waking me up when I don’t have to be up until ten!”

“Hey, I have work to do and you wouldn’t let me do it last night. It’s your own fault, you sour-ass!” She snapped, putting her laptop down at the end of her bed and walked to the bathroom. Justin heard the sound of the sink running and lied down the end of his bed so he could see into the bathroom. He raised his eyebrows when she saw her heard upside-down underneath the sink.

“What’re you doing?”

“I’m washing my hair,” she replied.

“Why don’t you just get in the shower and do that?”

“And have you guys burst in since you don’t know anything about manners? No way, ‘sides I showered last night but I was too tired to do my hair so I’m doing it now.”

Justin grunted and got off his bed, stubbing his toe on his suitcase. He cursed under his breath and rubbed his eyes. He chuckled a bit when he noticed that his half of the room was strewn with clothes while hers was clean. How he managed to convince his mother that they could share a hotel room with nothing happening between them was beyond him but he was glad he was able to do it. Now he didn’t have to worry about keeping anyone up when he felt like talking to her in the middle of the night. Plus he wanted to get used to it for when his mother left in four months twenty days, nine hours, and twenty-three minutes.

Not that he was counting.

“Can you sing me something?” Justin asked, playing with his fingers once the water turned off.

“Uggggh, Justin, I told you singing that Happy Birthday song for you was the first and only time I’ll sing. Ever. Got it?” She demanded before turning on the hair dryer, drowning out whatever he was going to say.

She knew it was a bad idea to sing with them. She just knew it. She knew she had a good voice, she’s been told that for years. She even won a few talent shows in Memphis when she was younger. How she managed to make sure that Justin didn’t see her or hear about it took so much out of her and now it had crumbled down because of one little birthday present for him. Now he wouldn’t shut up about it. He was shocked to say the least and begged her to sing something for him on a daily basis and it was slowly driving her insane.

“You know…” Justin tapped his chin, waiting for her to look up and at him through the mirror as she wrapped up her hair to try and squeeze out the water. “I think…you should…talk to Johnny.”

“Why?” She questioned, somewhat suspicious.

“Well, with a voice like that, you could get a recording contract,” he finished, kicking his legs on the bed.

“Just drop it, Juppy,” Mack ordered squeezing the towels and turning on the blow drier once more. She bent over at the waist and started combing the underside of her hair. Justin watched her combing for a few minutes before getting up and walking into the bathroom.

“You need a touch up,” he commented over the sound of the blow drier, lightly tugging at a strand of blue hair which was starting to take on a sea foam color.

“Well, I was thinking that I’d let it come out and then dye something else,” she said, standing up so suddenly her hair lightly smacked Justin in the face. “Like maybe my bangs, or the tips of my bangs or–oooh!–I can do this blue wash thing so my hair is all blue! That’d be so cool!”

“If you wore a wig,” he commented.

She rolled her eyes. “It’s not like you’d notice it. The only way you’d be able to tell is if I stood underneath a bright light. Come on, you think it’s a good idea too.”

“It doesn’t matter what I think, now does it?” he asked crossing his arms over his chest. “You’re just going to do it anyway.”

“See! You catch on quick!” she playfully slapped his arm. “Now get out so I can change.”

“I’ve seen you nekkid before, it’s not going to make a difference now,” Justin pointed out.

“1, don’t say ‘naked’ like that ever again. You’re white, not black. B, I’m not changing in front of you. Now get out.”

“Fiiiiiine.” Justin backed out of the bathroom and she slammed the door in his face. He rolled his eyes and dropped onto his bed, grabbing the phone, and dialed a number. “Hey man,” he greeted Trace once he answered the other end. “Did you know that our girl could sing?” He demanded before Trace even said anything.

“Uhhhh, no?” Trace replied.

Justin’s eyebrows knitted together. That sounded more like a question than a statement. Justin’s eyes widened. “You knew?” he demanded. He could practically see Trace’s mouth opening and closing rapidly. “Don’t you try and lie to me, man.” Justin’s accent shined through. “You knew, didn’t you?”

“Yeah,” Trace admitted, sighing. “I’ve known for a while. Trust me, J, I would’ve told me but she wouldn’t let me.”

“What did she do threaten to hang you by your thumbs in the middle of town?” Justin asked sarcastically.

“No,” Trace mumbled.

“Threaten to punch you in the stomach?”

“No.”

“Threaten to rip off your balls and force-feed them to you like meatballs on spaghetti?”

“You have an overactive imagination, you know that?”

“Trace!”

“Justin, calm down,” Trace begged.

“How can I calm down when I just found out my two so called best friends have been keeping this secret from me?” Justin demanded.

“Well, for one thing you’re being a hypocrite,” Trace replied in a strained voice, he was probably rubbing his temples like he always did when he needed to calm Justin down from one of his crazy conspiracy theories. “You have a few things you’ve kept from her, a few of which she still doesn’t know about, yet when she did find out about some of she didn’t freak out like you’re doing.”

“I’m not freaking out,” Justin denied. Trace stayed silent. “It’s just…I don’t get why she would keep something like that from me. If she sang and got a contract we could travel together all of the time.”

“Justin did it ever occur to you that the reason she didn’t tell you is because she didn’t want to take your attention away from what you are doing or she didn’t want to barge into your dream?”

“But she won’t be–”

“That’s what you think but what she thinks is something completely different.” Justin heard muffled talking in the background. “Look, I gotta go. Mom’s kida mad that I’m on the phone.”

“What? Why, it’s only six,” Justin said as he looked at his watch.

“There. Its twelve here.”

“Oh, I’ll call you later.”

“Ok, bye.”

“Bye.” Justin hung up the phone as the door to the bathroom opened and Mack came out pulling her hair up into a ponytail. “Trace knew!? Trace knew before me!?”

“Oh, here we go,” she muttered,

“Why wouldn’t you tell me about this?” He demanded, ignoring her.

“Because it doesn’t matter!” she replied. “You want to know the only reason I sang in the first place?” He nodded. “’Cause my mom made me. She kept forcing me to do it, she said she wanted to get my name out or whatever; wanted me to get into the entertainment business like you. She kept forcing me to do it and it slowly made me hate which is why I dropped it all together and never told you. It doesn’t matter and I didn’t want to bother you with it.” She sat back down on the bed and pulled her laptop back onto her lap.

“What’s the schedule again?” He asked, sitting next to her. He wanted to talk to her about her outburst but knew it wasn’t going to go anywhere. When she changed a subject, especially a touchy one, it was hard to get her back on it and he really wasn’t in the mood to get an earful

“At eleven you have an interview with a German show and then your sound check is at six and the show starts at seven thirty. Since you have free time between noon and six Johnny says you can spend the day doing whatever you want as long as you have a bodyguard with you. They’re setting up this Meet and Greet thing at six-thirty that lasts ‘till seven. Since you don’t really have much of wardrobe to worry about they’re giving you a half hour to get ready and get warmed up. Then immediately afterwards we get on our new mobile home and head off to the next city to start your tour.”

“I still can’t believe we’re going to live on a bus,” he commented, getting off the bed. “That sounds so weird. I mean, who lives on one?”

In one,” she corrected. “And you do, apparently.” She closed her laptop. “:Let’s wake the others.” An evil glint was in her eye.

“You have an idea?”

“Always.”

-*-  -*-  -*-  -*-

The smile on Joey’s face got bigger as another woman came in through the hotel room door. The boys were sitting, squished really, on a hotel room bed waiting for the interviewer to arrive. While they waited a hairdresser arrived to “fix” their hair and a makeup artist came to give them some makeup on their faces so they wouldn’t look washed out. Whatever the reason for them being there, he didn’t care, he was surrounded by beautiful women and that was all that mattered.

“Keep droolin’ like that and I’ll tell Kelly on you,” Chris warned.

“Go ahead, she gives me permission as long as I’m looking and not touching,” Joey said in a smug tone. Chris stuck out his tongue and rolled his eyes. “Now if Danni trusted you–”

“Hey! Don’t bring Danni into this. And she doesn’t have to worry about me cheating on her or anything. Unlike you I can keep my eyes in my head.”

“But you can’t keep a filter in your mouth,” Lance spoke up.

“Or a phone off of your ear, Albino Boy.”

JC leaned back against the headboard of the bed and listened to their bickering as he let out a slow breath. Them bickering was like breathing now, they couldn’t go one day without play fighting and Chris was usually the one who instigated it. Usually it was directed towards JC, calling him names such as ‘Party Pooper’ or ‘Spoil-Sport’ or, Chris’ favorite term, ‘Fuddy-Duddy’. It was natural for them, what wasn’t natural was when someone wasn’t talking at all. That was usually because one of them as mad at another, one didn’t get sleep, one’s sick, or one has something on their mind.

Which was what he suspected was wrong with Justin ‘cause he wasn’t even fighting the hairdresser that was coming at him with a curling iron. Usually he’d jump away and avoid it like it was the plague but now he barely moved every time the hot cylinder got close to his head.

“Hey Baby J, better watch out or you’ll leave here with an afro.” Apparently Chris had noticed the quiet young boy as well. Justin didn’t even stir, he kept his chin resting in his hands and his elbows rested on his knees. His eyebrows knitted together when Justin didn’t respond. He glanced at Joey who shrugged before turning his attention back to the hair dresser. Chris frowned and tried again. “Hey J, don’t let your mind wander too much, it’s too small to be outside by itself.” Again Justin didn’t say anything. Chris sighed and racked his brain for something excellent to say, something that would get his attention and act somewhat normal instead of sitting there in a dazed state as if his brain had gotten sucked out of his ears. “So, I was talking to Lynn earlier and she suggested adopting me.” Chris crossed his arms over his chest. He was sure that one was going to work.

Chris scrunched up his face when he was suddenly blinded by a circle of cottony puff that hit his face. He coughed when a little bit of dust filled the air and went into his lungs which got him into a coughing fit. “What the heck was that? Are you trying to smother me with dust or something?”

“It takes the shine off of your nose,” Justin finally cracked, smiling at Chris’s reaction. “It’s so it doesn’t look oily.”

“Do I want to know why you know that?”

“We had to go through it for the MMC, idiot. It’s so our faces didn’t look washed out under the lights and stuff. But if you want to look like a snowman go right ahead.” Chris made a face and Justin made a grotesque one in return.

“What was with the space cadet routine just now?” JC asked, flinching slightly when the hairdresser ran a brush over his hair.

“And you would recognize that easily,” Chris spoke up.

“Seriously, you need a mouth filter,” Lance commented.

“And you need a girlfriend.”

“Stop it,” JC said in a warning tone. Chris immediately shut up and slumped against the headboard of the bed. It didn’t matter that Chris was significantly older than JC, whenever JC used that serious tone of his all of them knew they better shut up and listen to him or suffer the consequences later on. “What were you thinking about, J?”

“I just—I just still can’t wrap my head around this,” Justin replied. “I’ve always wanted this guys. To entertain people I mean…and I’m doing it. At sixteen not many people get this chance, you know? I’m just…words can’t describe it.” He paused. “Also I’m thinking forward to the show, I want to make sure everything is perfect since it’s our first one.”

“Nothing can go wrong, not with our new good luck charms,” Joey replied, looking down at the gold necklace that hung around his neck. On the night the boys got their Gold record Johnny had presented each of them with an ‘N Sync necklace so they could have a piece of their gold with them. Since then they’ve never taken them off in hopes that only good things would happen to them if they were wearing them.

“You never know. One wrong move and your ankle could dislocate which is why I constantly tell you boys that you should stretch before every show,” Mack said as she stuck her head in the doorway.

“I thought you were going to hang out with Momma,” Justin said, turning to look at her.

“I’m gone; Lynn just wanted me to tell you to call her if something’s up. We’ll be back around noon so we can go out to lunch.”

The boys called out random forms of farewells before chatting amongst themselves once more. As they waited for the interviewer to arrive they talked about anything that came to mind from a TV show that they watched to a movie that they wanted to see. Sometimes their conversations were interrupted with singing a random song that was inspired by a word or a phrase and then they’d continue with the conversation like nothing had happened.

Once the interviewer came they introduced themselves and got to work. They each took turns answering questions but Chris, Lance, and Joey left it up to JC and Justin. They all ready agreed on letting those two take the questions if they knew a better way to answer it to protect the image they were building.

Justin felt uneasy during the interview because Lou had slipped in and was staring at them intently as if daring them to make a mistake. JC had to save Justin a couple of times because of the way Lou was staring at them it messed Justin up.

He relaxed a bit when Johnny came into the room, relaxed enough to joke around the with guys as if Lou wasn’t there, but the way his eyes were boring holes into his head freaked him out. Why was Lou so worried about them? They haven’t done anything to tarnish the reputation they’ve built, so why was he so worried? Haven’t they proved time and time again that he could trust them?

He stretched and yawned when the interview was finally over. It had taken longer than they expected. Really, why do they film so much stuff if they’re not even going to use all of it? Justin grumbled in his mind as he rubbed the sudden feeling of being tired out of his eyes.

“Finally we can eat,” Chris groaned, rolling off of the bed. “It’s been hours.”

“Chris, it’s only been one hour since we last ate,” JC pointed out.

“A growing man needs to eat.”

“Growing sideways maybe,” Justin said, looking around and standing on his toes as if searching through a crowd.

“All right guys, knock it off,” Johnny called over the yelling, immediately quieting them. “You all are free until six so do whatever you want but you can’t go anywhere without your bodyguards or telling me where you’re going. Is that clear?” He looked at all of them as they nodded. “Good.” He smiled. “Now get out of here, enjoy your free time.”

They didn’t say anything and didn’t move until Johnny and Lou left the room. Them they collectively let out a breath of air as if sighing in relief that they were gone. “I’ll call Momma and see where she is so we can meet up with ‘em,” Justin announced, pulling out his phone. The others made a noise to signal that they heard him before going to their own rooms to use the bathroom and get their shoes. Justin kicked his feet back and forth over the edge of the bed as he waited for his mother to answer. “We’re done here, Momma. Where are you? Chris wants to meet up so we can eat somewhere.”

“We’re just walking down the street. Once we find a place I’ll tell you. Why’d the interview take so long?” Lynn asked.

Justin shrugged even though she couldn’t see him. “I guess Lou asked him to ask us more questions to fill time or whatever. I don’t know.”

“Oh.”

Justin’s eyebrows crinkled together. “What’s wrong?”

“What makes you think something is wrong?”

“You have that worried tone in your voice. Did something happen to Paul? Or Dad? Is the baby ok?”

“Yes, they’re all fine. Nothing’s wrong with them.” She let out a breath.

“Buuuut,” he prompted.

“All I’m going to say is when you get here you’re going to need to be there for Mackenzie.” She hung up before he could even say anything else.

He pulled the phone away from his ear and looked at it before putting it back in his pocket. He stood and turned, jumping slightly when he saw Lance standing behind him, his eyebrows were raised. “What?” Justin finally asked.

“What’s goin’ on?” Lance questioned. “Don’t even try to lie,” he quickly added before Justin could even move.

“Momma just called. She said something was wrong with Mack and we need to be there for her but she wouldn’t tell me what’s wrong.”

Lance frowned. “Someone’s sick?”

He shrugged. “Dunno, but whenever Momma says that something big has happened. Like when we were little when her granddad on her mother’s side died or when her aunt got cancer.”

“Well, let’s just do what your mother says. If something has happened she’s going to want to talk to someone.” Justin snorted. “I know but she’s going to have to talk sooner or later. She’s going to explode with everything she’s kept inside for who knows how long.”

-*-  -*-  -*-  -*-

As soon as the boys sat down at the table they could feel tension radiating off of Mack. She was glaring down at the table, didn’t even say anything to them when they arrived. Not even when Justin sat in the booth seat next to her and greeted her happily.

“What is it?” Justin finally asked, looking at his mother. Silently Mack held out a piece of paper to him. He took it and instantly recognized the slightly-slanted neat handwriting of her mother. “Why do you–?”

“Read it,” she interrupted him. “Out loud.”

“Are you sure?”

“Do it!”

“Ok, ok.” Justin looked at the others before clearing his throat and reading the letter out loud as, next to him, Mack furiously spun her straw around in her ice-filled drink.

Dear Mini D,

I am so sorry, for everything. I have to get that out first, because I'm afraid if I don't, you'll rip up this letter without so much as a glance. Please, Mini, don't. This might be our last chance to communicate before our worlds and our lives take our attention away from each other. I know how you get when you feel angry, or hurt, or, heaven forbid, betrayed, but I need you to understand.

It's been awhile, hasn't it? A few months at least. It may not feel like a while to you but it has felt like an eternity to me Things have changed a lot for me, and for you as well. It’s time for me to finally fess up to my actions and clear the air between us.

I started this letter because of a dream I had last night, which has really been a longer version of other dreams that have plagued my reality. In it, we were friends again and spending time together at home or in town, like the mother-daughter power friends we were. Nothing had changed between us, the past was still there. But still, we were starting a new friendship, a new relationship, tentatively, but we both saw it had a great deal of promise.

I want you to know that I never meant to hurt you. Me loving him- that was my cross to bear. I shouldn't have kept this from you. I should have told you, I know that now.

I miss you. And though I won't be so presumptuous to think that you may miss me, I will say that nothing’s the same anymore. Maybe part of the reason I'm writing this is in the belief and hope that someday we could be friends again… mother and daughter again. I've forgiven you for those things you've done against me countless times, I’ve never held a grudge against you. Never thought an ill thought, never brought it back up again. And I hope that you can forgive me for anything I have done to you, though you never said anything to my face. You bottled it, like always, but I didn’t expect any different. That’s just who you are.

I've thought about you—about us—a lot over the past couple of weeks. As for the blunt manner of our falling out, I'm sorry if it hurt you and your father. My only intention was stepping as far back as fast as possible from you, and I knew no other way. I had to do it in a way that it would hurt less for you, but I guess it went the wrong way. As for your father, it was a long time coming but I should have dealt with it in a better way, I know that now. I know how close you are to your father and I know I hurt you so much. However, I want us to be close again, like we were, so badly that it hurts.

I can't help but to foretell your anger at me, and the possibility that you may not be ready to mend anything or want to talk to me at all. Which is fine. I write this letter with no expectation of a response. I'm writing it because I have to get through what I feel, and because I think you need to read it. If you’re willing to listen…I’ll come and visit you. I want to visit you. Lynn told me that you’re in Germany for a few days; I guess I’ll see you then.

Love always,

Charlotte, your loving mother

P.S. You probably don’t want any of my help, but remember when you were younger and you said you wanted to be an actor and we put you through acting classes and let you go to the MMC audition even though you begged them not to accept you? Well, I found an agent and there’s an audition for a movie coming up if you’re interested. We can talk about it once I’m there.

“Who’s Mini D?” Chris questioned. The boys turned and stared at him hard. His eyes shifted back and forth between each of their faces before it dawned on him. “Ohhh….”

Mack stayed silent, her hands were clasped together and her fists were pressed against her mouth. She was looking over their heads, staring off into space. Justin could tell by the way her eyes were crinkled in the corner that she was thinking really hard.

“Are you ok?” he whispered.

“I’m fine,” she replied. There was nothing in her voice at all, her voice was expressionless.

Justin glanced back at the letter. That’s when something stuck out at him. MMC audition. He couldn’t remember a time when she auditioned. He never even knew she auditioned. They could’ve been on the show together, why’d she turn it down? Justin looked at JC to see that he had the same confused look on his face. “When did you–?”

“Does it matter?” She interrupted him.

“Well, no but…” he let his voice trail off as the waitress came over and took their orders. Once she left Justin finally asked the question that was on all of their minds. “Why’re you so mad?”

Mack froze all together while they held their breaths. There was one of two ways she would respond: 1) She would just explode, screaming at the top of her lungs while her face turned red from lack of oxygen and then she would storm out or 2) She would start calmly, explaining herself, then she would slowly start to talk faster and faster, her words becoming more harsh, and then she finished her last sentence practically spitting out the words as she glared as if the person or the thing that her anger was directed towards was standing right in front of her.

Justin bet her reaction would be the latter.

“Because my lying, conniving, jerk of a mother decided to fuck up her entire life and her family by allowing herself to fall for her freakin’ coworker and she thinks that she can bring herself back into ours and God’s good graces by trying to fuckin’ apologize and she probably doesn’t even know what she should apologize about!” If her fingernails were sharper there would be scratch marks in the table.

The rest of the lunch was filled with silence, not because Mack’s anger was scaring them but because they didn’t know what to say to calm her down or at least cool her off a bit. Not even Justin who always knew what to do and that’s what upset him the most.

It felt like, to him, that he was just seeing his friend for the first time. She was different, hurt, vulnerable, and that wasn’t like her at all. Her mother must’ve done something really wrong, aside from the cheating and the lying, to do this to her.

“So…what do you want to do now?” Lance finally broke the silence as they left the café and looked around the somewhat crowded streets.

“I’m going back to the hotel,” Mack said, starting to walk down the street, not bothering to check if anyone was following her. “Alone,” she stressed before any of them could even move.

“Momma.” Justin turned to look at his mother.

“Yes, I’ll see if she’s ok. In the meantime you guys should enjoy your break. It’ll probably be the last one you have in a while.” She swooped in to kiss his cheek. Chris snickered as Justin hastily rubbed the area where she kissed him. “Stay out of trouble.”

“Justin.” He turned around to look at the other guys. They were watching him, studying him, waiting to see what he would do.

“I can’t help it,” Justin said as if reading their mind. “She’s like my sister.”

“You have to let her go sometime. You can’t make everything better for her,” JC said softly.

“I know,” Justin replied.

That was the one thing he never wanted to admit.

-*-  -*-  -*-  -*-

“Lynn, I told you I’m fine,” Mack sighed as the doors to the elevator opened up to their floor. “I’m just…tired. I want to get some sleep before the show. Maybe talk to Trace for a while. Ok?” She looked up at her ‘second-mother’ and waited for her response.

“Ok,” Lynn finally sighed. “Just…don’t do anything you’re going to regret.”

Mack gave her an odd look before nodding and walking her quick pace to her room. Letting out a sigh she shoved her keycard into the door and shoved it open. She flicked on the light and sighed again, stepping into the room. As the door closed behind her she looked up and stopped what she was doing all together.

“What’re you doing here?” She asked slowly, eyeing her mother who was sitting on the end of her bed.

End Notes:
Please leave me some love. This chapter was really hard for me to write, maybe it's 'cause I wouldn't imagine talking to my mother like that, even if I was mad at her.
A Hug Can Make Things Better by Mack_Attack22

Chapter 27: A Hug Can Make Things Better

“What are you doing here?” She repeated through clenched teeth. Anger pulsed through her body. She knew if she didn’t keep her grip on the keycard that was in her hand then her hand would connect with something and, inevitably, break it.

“I came to talk,” Charlotte replied. “That’s what we really need to do, just sit down and talk. You got my letter didn’t you?”

“Unfortunately,” Mack replied bitterly. “If Lynn had given it to me on time I would’ve been able to stop you from coming here.”

Charlotte shook her head slowly, not taking her eyes off of her daughter. “I would have come anyway.” She paused and looked around the room, more importantly looking at Justin’s things that were on the floor. “I see you’re not staying here by yourself.”

Mack stayed by the door and shook her head, crossing her arms over her chest. “Justin and I decided to share a room so the guys wouldn’t have to shove five in one. Last time that happened they threw Lance into a wall and had to pay for the damage. Johnny wasn’t happy.” She paused and lifted her eyebrows. “Do you have a problem with that?”

Charlotte couldn’t ignore the sharp edge to her voice. She forced a smile and shook her head. “I can trust you two.”

“Too bad I can’t say the same.” Mack walked past her and dropped down on her knees in front of her bag. Charlotte watched as she pushed her hair back over her ears and started digging through it. She sighed heavily and sat back down on the bed waiting for her daughter’s attention. When she didn’t receive it she started talking.

“Look, sweetie…we need to talk about this…”

Her daughter suddenly shot up and glared at her. Charlotte actually flinched under her glare. Her otherwise soft eyes were hard and were filled with hatred. Charlotte sighed. Did she really cause her own daughter, her own flesh and blood, to hate her so much? She just didn’t understand…

“Oh now you want to talk. Ok, let’s talk about how you fucking abandoned Dad and I and how you decided to just fucking shut me out of your life!” She snapped, tapping her fingers against her arms rapidly.

“Don’t take that tone with me young lady!” Charlotte said sternly. “I’m still your mother.”

“Ha!” Mack laughed bitterly. “You’re not my mom.”

“Yes I am.”

“Biologically maybe but what you’ve done recently, you don’t have the qualifications of being my mother.”

Stop it!” Charlotte was on her feet now and was staring down at her daughter. The distance in their height wasn’t that great, maybe an inch or two, but it was still enough for Mack to feel like her mother was towering over her. “You don’t understand what happened.”

“Then enlighten me. Tell me why my mother fucked up her whole life!” Mack shot back.

“Sit down and I will.” The two women held each other’s gazes before Mack slowly sit down, sitting at the head of her bed, keeping her distance. Charlotte ran a hand through her ink black hair – the hair she shared with her daughter – and sat down as well. “I was in a tough place,” she started slowly. “My job required me to work more and more so I saw your father less and less.” She paused when her daughter made a snorting sound but continued quickly. “I was getting lonely. I would arrive home after he went to sleep and I would wake up before he would leave for work. I missed having a companion I guess. Then Paul came along and….we got along so well. I saw your father in Paul and we would spend so much time together at work and he was so nice and–”

“And you fell for the punkass and decided to shove a sword into Dad’s back by fucking his brains out?” Mack interrupted dryly.

“Mackenzie Charlotte!” She gasped. “If I had known being around those boys would do this to you–”

“Do what to me?” Mack interrupted. “Give me space? Gave me room to actually figure out who I was? Give me the attention I need when I needed it and left me alone when I asked for it. Actually felt like my family? Oh yeah, Mom, they’re bad. They’re evil. They’ve brainwashed your perfect daughter.” She rolled her eyes. “Newsflash Mom! I’ve always been like this!”

“What happened to my sweet little girl?” Charlotte asked pitifully.

I’m not little anymore!” Mack shouted, punching the pillow that was next to her. The pillow caved underneath the force of her punch. “Don’t you get it? I’m not the same girl I was when I was five, Mom. The guys know that and they accept it! Why can’t you? Oh, that’s right, it’s because you’re banging your coworker!”

Charlotte stayed silent and waited for her daughter to calm down a bit more. “I know you’re upset. I was too when it really hit me what I was doing. I talked to your grandparents about it. I knew I had to tell your father so I did, but we didn’t want you to know. You were having a good time and we didn’t want to bring you down.”

“I all ready knew,” Mack informed her. She looked at her daughter in confusion. “The day I got home–the day you weren’t there–I overheard you and Dad fighting on the phone.” She slowly shook her head. “I knew something was funny but I didn’t want to admit to myself what I all ready knew. And yet, you took the cowards way out.”

“It’s not like your father is the innocent one!” Charlotte said, exasperated.

Mack stared. “What?” She asked dully.

“Your father isn’t as innocent as he perceived to be. It seems that he turned you against me.” Charlotte chuckled a bitter laugh. “Your father has a few problems of his own. His best friend is becoming his beer bottle. That’s why I took the extra shifts in the first place, so I wouldn’t have to deal with his abuse. He’s the one that drove me away, I didn’t choose to leave.”

Mack turned her head away from her mother’s gaze. No, she has to be lying. Dad wouldn’t do anything like that. God, why is this happening? Why the hell is my family falling apart? It’s not fair! She bit her lip to keep the tears that crept up on her from falling. Be strong, don’t let her see you cry.

“I did come here for another reason,” Charlotte spoke up. Mack turned towards her once she was sure her tears went away. Keep a stony face, she told herself. Charlotte reached into the big bag that was by her and pulled out a stack of papers that was held together by a large binder clip. It hung in the air of a couple of seconds as Mack eyed it before she took it from her.

Titanic,” she muttered the title. “Hmm, didn’t expect them to make a movie about it.” She flipped through the pages and whistled under her breath. “What part?”

“A seventeen-year-old girl named Rose, one of the leads,” Charlotte replied.

“Ok, so who’s this so called agent of mine?”

“His names Rick Carpenter. He was a talent agent for MMC for a bit. I managed to get in contact with him, told him a bit about you, and gave him a few of your old audition tapes.”

“He wanted to be my agent without having new material?” Mack asked skeptically.

“He says even back then you had potential which could only get better with time.” She paused. “Give it a chance. Filming starts in July and you have a break in the middle of May, right? Just come home and audition.”

“Depends, do they all ready have this…Jack character set?”

“Mhm.” Charlotte nodded and waited as if wanting Mack to press who it was. When her daughter didn’t say anything she continued. “It’s Leonardo DiCaprio.”

“He was in that Growing Pains show wasn’t he? And in that Romeo and Juliet movie?” Mack asked, not being able to hide her excitement.

Charlotte nodded. “I thought you’d like it.”

Almost immediately the smile and the happiness Mack had drained from her and she was filled with fury. How dare she try to pull one over on me! She thought, gripping the script in her hands tights. Charlotte noticed her sudden change in behavior and prepared herself for another outburst but it didn’t come. “You know I’m not the type of person to forgive and forget easily,” Mack commented.

“I know,” Charlotte agreed quickly, I was just hoping. She looked down, noticed her daughter’s cast and quickly changed the subject. “What happened?”

“I fell,” Mack replied simply. “Dancing. Broke my wrist, have to wear it for a few more weeks.”

Charlotte slowly shook her head. She reached forward and pulled up the sleeve of Mack’s t-shirt. She tried to wiggle out of her mom’s grasp but she held on tight. “I meant this,” she replied, studying the bruises on her arm.

How’d she see that? Mack looked back and forth between the black/purple bruises as Charlotte sat there, waiting. “I fell,” she replied lamely.

“You’re not clumsy.”

“Missed step, I’m fine,” she said as she pulled her arm away. “One of the guys grabbed my arm to break my fall. I guess they grabbed too hard.” Charlotte didn’t say anything but she didn’t let go of her mother’s arm. “If the only reason you came here was to interrogate me–”

“I told you I came to talk,” Charlotte sighed, dropping her hand. “I don’t understand why you’re making this so difficult.”

“Mom, tell me this, has Dad forgiven you?” Charlotte didn’t say a word. “Right. If Dad hasn’t then I sure as hell am not forgiving you either.”

Charlotte sighed once more and stood, gathering her bag. “If you decide to take the audition give me a call.” She walked towards the door and hesitated, gripping the handle. Turning back she said, with tears in her eyes, “I didn’t want us to end up this way.”

Mack replied quietly, “You can’t always get what you want.” She barely winced when the door slammed shut behind Charlotte. Letting out a long sigh she flopped backwards, covering her eyes with her arms. The next thing she knew her body was shaking with sobs that she tried to keep inside but was having trouble stifling.

Faraway she heard banging on the door followed by the sound of a little click, footsteps, and then her bed sagged. Her nose was met with the smell of papaya, pineapple and jasmine before a warm arm was wrapped around her waist and hugged her tight.

“You gotta lay off that cologne,” Mack muttered without moving her arm.

“But you like it, I wear it for you,” Justin replied, propping his head up on his hand. “Are you ok?”

She let out a breath. “No point in me lying anymore you guys always call me out on it: no, I’m not fine. Nothing’s fine. Everything sucks.” She let out a shaky breath. “Can I have a hug?”

“Why do you think I’m here?”

She could practically see the smile on his face.

One and the Same by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
I'm rushing to put this up 'cause I'm leaving for a trip soon which is why I didn't use spell check. Please leave some love.

Chapter 28: One and the Same

February 6th, 1997: That night

“Nooo! What’re you doing? You’re supposed to jump over the barrels not get hit by them!” Mack shouted while whacking Joey’s arm as they stared intently at the game’s screen.

“I would jump over them if you’d stop yellin’ in my ear!” He responded through clenched teeth jiggling the joystick in his hands and slapping his palm against one of the many buttons.

“I’d stop yelling if you’d play right.”

“Stop backseat playing, woman!”

Lance chuckled from his chair where he tossed a baseball into the air, caught it, and threw it up again. He and the other guys were waiting for the show to start. They had all ready changed into their matching outfits for that night: orange-red, blue, and white basketball type clothing. Justin pitched the idea and he was surprised that the rest of them agreed to go along with it.

Justin was bobbing his head to whatever song was playing on his walkman, JC was lying down on the couch, eyes closed and meditating, and Chris was talking to Danielle on the phone. Joey and Mack were playing the Donkey Kong arcade-style game that was sitting in the corner of the room.

“Jump! Jump!” Mack ordered. Joey let out a cry of frustration when Mario was blasted off the screen. “Ooooh, you shoulda jumped,” Mack said, shaking her head slowly.

“Imma jump you!” Joey replied with a small smile on his face.

“Oh you’d like that wouldn’t ya?”

“I know I would,” Chris said as soon as he hung up the phone.

“And you conveniently say that once Danielle can’t hear you,” Mack teased, rolling her eyes. Chris just smiled and lightly slapped her leg as she passed him. “Ok guys, vocal warm-ups,” she ordered, glancing at her watch.

Lance, Chris, and Joey groaned. “Again? Didn’t we just do that, like, an hour ago?”

“Yeah, at sound check. Your voices could still suck. C’mon, do your warm-ups before you have an angry mob of teenage girls on your hands.”

“Are you referring to yourself? ‘Cause you can be as scary as an angry mob.” Chris let out a yelp when a shoe connected with the back of his head. He rubbed the throbbing area and picked up the small shoe. “Jesus, girl, you have one heck of an aim,” he muttered holding out the shoe to her.

“Yeah, well, when you can’t play basketball or football you have to make it up with something so baseball was it. I can only throw though, I can’t really hit that well,” she replied, keeping a hand on his shoulder so she could balance herself as he put her shoe on.

JC then opened his eyes, glanced at her, and easily shoved her to the ground. He gave her a lazy smile when she glared at him with accusing eyes. He merely shrugged and closed them again, yawning. He cracked a grin when she grumbled something under her breath and walked off. Probably curses, that’s usually the only thing that came out of her mouth if she and Justin weren’t in a mini argument or she was eating. He finally sat up and stretched. “Ok guys we should do warm ups,” he announced, swinging his legs to the floor.

“Ok,” they replied, standing from their various positions around the room.

“I hate you,” Mack stated before walking out, closing the door behind herself.

“Yeah like I don’t hear that all the time. Ok guys, let’s start with the scales.” JC led the guys in their vocal warm ups, noting whether or not they were too flat or too sharp. They sang a few of their songs to make sure their harmonies were right and to see if they were pitch perfect. Then they went through a few dance moves that they had trouble with earlier but stopped when Lou came into the room.

“Before you go on I want to talk to you boys about something,” Lou said, motioning for them to sit down. “I have to say that I am very proud of you boys.” Justin sat up straighter and beamed. “Your hard work has paid off and now you can finally share you talent with the world. Have fun, be safe, and don’t let me down.”

Justin frowned at the dangerous edge that suddenly appeared in his voice. Lou looked each of them in the eye. Justin relaxed a bit when a smile returned to Lou’s face. Justin jogged in place gearing himself up for the show. He bounced on his toes and let out a slow breath before looking at his watch. “7:07,” he announced. He looked up and flinched when a hacky-sack hit his forehead and fell lamely to the ground.

“Sorry,” Lance apologized, picking up the little saggy ball.

“Lance can’t kick for shit,” Chris said as Lance tossed the hacky-sack back to him. “We can barely keep it off of the ground.”

“I’m trying.”

“Let me play,” Justin said eagerly. “JC, you in?”

JC glanced at them. “Nah, but you guys go ahead.” Justin frowned and looked at Chris who was tossing the hacky-sack into the air, caught it, and repeated the process. Chris frowned as well, but not because Justin was upset. He was used to that. Justin always pouted when he didn’t get his way or if JC was being a fuddy-duddy and didn’t want to do things with them. Justin always took it personally, something Chris still didn’t understand nor wanted to understand.

What bothered Chris was that JC was distancing himself from them. He probably didn’t think he was but Chris could see it. He was young once, like them, he knew that behavior when he saw it. He caught the hacky-sack again, gave it to Lance to start without him, and then quickly followed JC out of the room.

Chris grabbed JC’s arm and pulled him back. “What’s goin’ on, man?” He demanded.

JC looked at him blankly. “Nothing, I’m just taking a walk,” JC replied, pulling his arm out of Chris’s grasp and tried to walk down the hall but Chris blocked him.

“JC, I hate it when you lie ‘cause I can tell what’s wrong with you but then I hate not knowing what to do,” Chris told him.

“Chris, honestly, there’s nothing wrong,” JC said slowly never taking his eyes off of his friend’s face.

Chris shrugged. “Fine, if you want to keep lying to me, that’s fine, I just thought after all this time you’d think we were friends and actually want to talk to me but whatever.” He turned on his heel and walked back towards the dressing room.

JC sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He didn’t mean to upset Chris, but he didn’t feel like the older boy would understand what he was going through currently. Sure, they were all going through the same thing but for JC he knew that either this worked or that was it for him. Chris was in the same boat but Chris had something that JC didn’t which he didn’t want to admit: Chris had optimism.

Everything that they were doing freaked JC out, but he didn’t want to admit it to them in fear that they would tease him. He was always the butt of their jokes and they didn’t know when to stop, with the exception of Lance.

JC wasn’t even freaked out in a good way. JC was always one to please anyone he could, he tried to make anyone happy and the thought of there being a chance that Lou could be disappointed in him really messed up with his stomach to the point if he even thought about the twisting he was sure he’d puke.

JC paced around in circles as he took slow deep breaths. His heart pounded in his ears and his fingers twitched. He mumbled his apologies when he bumped into a few stage hands that tried to get by him but was hit by him while he was in his trance. Finally, a few minutes before show time, Justin went to get him so they could do their group prayer. JC had a lot to pray for but one thing stuck in his mind:

Please, Lord, don’t let us screw up!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“He’s off a half step,” Mack muttered under her breath, not taking her eyes off of the stage. “He’s off. He’s off.” She was gripping the rail in front of her seat so hard her knuckles were turning white. If she leaned over the rail any further then she would fall over it. “Come oooon, get back into step. Look at the others, come on!” She groaned and rested her forehead against the cool metal as the song ended. “You’re killing me!”

“Relax, Little Lady, they’re doing fine,” Johnny said to her over the sound of cheers and applause.

“Right. Fine. They can’t do fine they have to do well or awesome, or superb even. Fine is not a word in my vocabulary,” she replied, slowly shaking her head.

“You gotta relax.”

“I am relaxed.”

“Really? ‘Cause you look like a pitbull the way you’re clenching your jaw.”

She ignored him as he chuckled a bit at his own joke. She glanced at her watch and looked back at the stage. They were on their last song. It was surprising how they could make their four-song set take more than a half hour. It wouldn’t surprise her if the audience asked for encores. The boys would do it, they loved to please.

“Johnny, I’m going to make sure everything is ready to be shipped out,” Mack yelled over the screaming, standing on her toes so he could hear her.

“You don’t want to stay for the rest?” He asked, finally looking at her.

She shook her head. “I’m getting a little headache anyway. I need to get away from the noise.”

“Ok, I’ll get Lonnie or someone.”

She shook her head again. “I’m fine, I don’t need anyone. I know where I’m going.”

“I told you–”

“I’ll be fine. You have my cell number if you get paranoid for one reason or another, which I don’t doubt you will be, you can reach me easily.” She shoved her way through people before Johnny could object to what she was doing. ‘Sheesh, it’s like having another JC on my back,’ she though, jumping down some stairs and pushing open a door. As soon as it swung shut the noise behind her ceased and she sighed knowing that she was finally by herself in the hallway.

She shoved her hands into her pockets and walked slowly, trying to clear her mind but she couldn’t erase her mother’s visit. It bothered her the rest of the day but she was an expert on putting on a mask that the others didn’t think anything was wrong except for the small cracks where she would snap at one of them if they were off a half step or their pitch was off in practice. It felt like a weight was pressing down on her chest, suffocating her.

She made a strange gulping noise as it felt the weight was rising into her throat. The gulping quickly switched to a sob and then she was flat out crying, hysterically even. She tried forcing herself to stop but it didn’t work. Her body had a mind of its own.

She just sat there, her back against the cool stone wall, crying her eyes out. She always told herself that crying was a sign of weakness. And crying in public? Suicide. But she didn’t care. She felt like her life was over anyway and it wasn’t like anyone around knew her.

“Hey, it’s Dimple Girl.”

Scratch that.

“Why’re you cryin’, Dimples?”

She sucked in a breath, taking everything in with it and trapping it inside, replacing her face with a mask. She hastily wiped her eyes and was aware of someone sitting down next to her. She then turned and made a snorting sound. “What’re you doing here? Don’t you have a tour of your own?”

“Johnny asked us to come. I was the only one who wanted to, though,” Nick replied, shrugging. “But you didn’t answer my question.”

“I’m not going to reply to your question since you ended it with a ridiculous name,” she replied, rolling her eyes.

“Dimples? What’s wrong with that? You have them you know,” he said in confusion.

“Really? I haven’t looked in a mirror my whole damn life so I wouldn’t know.” Sarcasm was practically dripping from her eyelids. He merely smiled, reached into his pocket, and held out a tissue to her. She eyed it, as if wondering if it were a trick or something before accepting it with a barely audible thank you. “What’re you really doing here?” She asked before blowing her nose.

“I told you, Johnny asked us to come. He wanted us to see how they were doing.”

“You wanted to see your ‘competition’?” She asked with finger quotes.

“About that, I don’t get why people think we’re in a rivalry,” he said shrugging.

“’Cause you guys basically do the same thing. Although they’re more for entertainment but…”

“That’s like saying we’d be in a rivalry with NKTB if they were still around,” he pointed out, shaking his head and letting out a little breath. “It’s stupid, really.”

“I agree.”

“So why were you crying?”

“You’re not going to stop asking me that are you?” She muttered, crumpling up the used tissue and tossing it at the trashcan across from her. It fell to the floor in the middle of the hallway and she didn’t move to pick it up.

“No.”

“Life,” she replied. “Some family problems, that’s all.” She shrugged.

“You downplaying them isn’t going to make them go away you know.”

“Yeah yeah, like I haven’t heard that before,” she said with a wave of her hand.

“How’d you get the cast?” He tilted his head.

“If you don’t leave me alone I’m going to shove a pumpkin ball up your butt!” She declared, suddenly annoyed, jumping to her feet and started to speed walk down the hall.

“A what?” He asked, following her, easily catching up to her. He had a goofy smile on his face, one that was starting to irk her. It was the same smile that Joey got whenever he had a perverted joke brewing in his mind. “Do you always run away from your problems or do you just have a confrontation problem?”

“Listen, you–” She stopped when Nick visibly stiffened and his eyes widened. She lifted an eyebrow and turned around, only to flinch when she noticed that Lou had stepped out into the hallway.

“Uh, hi Lou,” Nick stammered, shifting his weight from foot to foot. “What brings you here?”

Lou merely smiled. “I think the question is what brings you here?”

“Um, an airplane, a taxi, and my feet,” Nick replied innocently. Mack quickly turned her laughter into a strange sneeze/snorting sound as Nick smiled slightly. Their smiles instantly faded when Lou narrowed his eyes at them. “Sir,” Nick quickly added. Lou’s eyes slowly shifted back and forth between the two as Nick licked his lips and Mack looked everywhere but at him.

“Did Johnny bring you here?” Lou finally asked.

“Yes, but it was my idea. I just got him to help me get here,” Nick said quickly holding up his hands as if to shield a blow.

Lou nodded and clasped his hands behind his back. “What’re you doing here?” He turned his eyes to Mack who stared at the floor.

“I was watching the show and I got a headache and then I decided to check if our things were where they needed to be,” she mumbled. She could feel the weight pressing down on her chest again; she needed to get out of there before she did something she’d regret. “I’ll be going now.” Keeping her head to the floor she walked away from them, feeling their stares on her back. She rushed around the halls of the building before finally finding her way to the front. She glanced over her shoulder, sighing when she noticed how crowded. She finally let out a slow breath and tried to calm her racing heart. She practically jumped a foot in the air when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“C’mon, it’s time to see our new home,” Justin called over the noise. Lonnie was hovering near him, keeping hi guarded. A large smile was on Justin’s face and it was shiny with sweat. His smile was so bright she practically needed shades to look at him. “C’mon! C’mon!” He grabbed her hand and tugged her through the crowd, following Lonnie to the back of the building, out the back door, and to their new ‘home’. “C’mon, slow poke!”

“What’s the big rush?” She asked as Justin dragged her up the stairs of their tour bus. “Whoa,” she muttered when she looked around. “We actually get to live here?” She asked, walking through the bus slowly. She paused at the back. “What’s in here?” She asked, pointing to the door.

“Don’t know, open it,” Chris replied, sticking his head out of a bunk. She pulled open the door and flipped on a light, taking a look at the area. She looked up and grinned at the mirror that was on the ceiling. “Looks like another lounge.”

“There’s another level of the bus as well,” Lynn called from upstairs. “You boys better come and take a look at this. The view is amazing.”

The guys dashed out of the bunk area and ran up the stairs, shoving each other to try and get there first. Mack shook her head slowly, wondering how they possibly had a lot of energy left over from their show. She turned when she felt a tap on her shoulder and looked up at Johnny.

“Here,” he said simply, holding out a piece of paper to her.

She took it and nodded her thanks, unfolding the paper and slowly walking up the stairs so she wouldn’t fall. On the paper was a phone number and a simple note written underneath it:

(407) 376-4831

If you ever want to talk --Nick

“You ok?” Justin asked her as soon as she set foot on the top level of the bus. “You had one heck of a day.”

Mack clutched the paper in her hand and nodded. “Yeah, somethin’ tells me I’m gonna be fine.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Where did you disappear to?” AJ asked as soon as Nick set foot in his hotel room.

“I was with Johnny,” Nick replied.

“Did you get her number?”

“About that. Lou came by and started talking to me a little bit about what we were doing and I didn’t–”

“Did you get her number?” AJ interrupted, glaring hard at Nick.

Nick gulped. “No,” he admitted. “But I gave her mine,” he quickly added. “Sayin’ if she ever wanted to talk then she could just call me. I caught her when she was upset about something so…”

AJ grinned. “That wasn’t the way I wanted it to happen but good job, Frack, good job.” He patted Nick on the shoulder and went through the door that connected their hotel room.

Nick sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “Whatever man,” he mumbled.

End Notes:
Ooh, I'm pilin' on the drama, hahaha. Please leave a review.
Boys and Belches by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
I'm a few reviews away from 100. Thanks so much guys. Also, I may not update in a bit 'cause my computer's going in to be fixed and I don't know when I'll get it back. So please leave some love that I can come back to, it'll make me smile. Thanks!

Chapter 29: Boys and Belches

February 14th, 1997

“Hey, look what day it is,” Howie said as he glanced at the calendar on the bus’s wall.

“A Wednesday?” Kevin guessed without looking up from the book he was reading at the table. Nick sat across from him, bored, pulling at a rubber band that was on his finger and thumb and let it go, causing it to slap against his palm.

“No,”–AJ leaned over Howie’s shoulder–“It’s Valentine’s Day.” AJ exchanged a look at Howie before they both turned to look right at Nick. Nick was too busy pulling back the rubber band to pay attention to them. Only when Brian let out a scream of pain when the rubber band hit his neck did Nick laugh and turn to look at the two, his smile instantly fading.

“What?” He asked.

“You know what you have to do,” Howie replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

Nick blanched. “I…I don’t want to,” he muttered, looking at his hands, acting like the young boy he could be sometimes.

“Why the hell not?” AJ demanded, glaring at him.

“It’s…it’s not fair to her,” he replied, slowly. “Kev and Bri will back me up on this,” he added, looking at them desperately.

“He’s right, we’re dealing with someone’s emotions here,” Kevin said, finally putting down his book. “It’s not fair for her or for Nick.”

“And it’s not fair that Johnny decided to abandon us and take on that new group! It’s not fair that they are riding on our coattails whenever we turn down an appearance. And it’s definitely not fair that we’re being left on the backburner! All’s fair in war and business,” AJ growled, slapping his palm against the wall of the bus. The others must’ve been used to it because they didn’t jump, didn’t even flinch. “They’re taking over our territory, what we worked hard for and I’m not going to stand for that! Now, do it unless you want to be kicked out of this band!”

“You can’t kick me out!” Nick said, jumping to his feet and standing in front of AJ. Nick was only one inch taller than the other but it felt like he was towering over him. “I’m not going to mess with her feelings just because you’re insecure!”

AJ merely stared at him. “You like her, don’t you?”

Nick blinked. “No! I don’t even know her!”

“So what does it matter if a heart gets trampled in the process?” AJ asked stoically. He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket. “Call her,” he ordered.

“I don’t have her number,” Nick replied.

AJ pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket, not taking his eyes off of Nick. “Got it from Johnny. Now call her.” He held the paper out to her but Nick didn’t budge. AJ smiled a small, sadistic smile. “If you don’t I’ll just get Lou over here and–”

At the mention of Lou’s name Nick’s hands flew out, grabbing the phone and the paper, and he rushed off to the back lounge. Howie laughed and slapped AJ on the back while Kevin and Brian sighed.

“What?” AJ snapped.

“Nothing,” The cousins replied in unison.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Where are we now?”

“Don’t you pay attention to anything at all?”

“Everything looks like a blur we’re moving so fast.”

Mack sighed as she listened to Lance and Chris start to argue. It seemed like that’s all they were doing lately. Since their tour kicked off two weeks ago it seemed like tension was rising between them and she was caught in the middle. Justin seemed to snap at JC almost every time he opened his mouth, Lance would jump down Chris’s throat for not being serious, and so on. It must’ve been the close quarters, she decided, they haven’t been stuck with each other this long ever.

Johnny seemed to have caught on as well because he had to stop a few fights before they started over something as simple as eaten food or a book that had been moved to sit down. Seriously! JC went ballistic when Justin moved his Diary––correction––“Thought Journal”. And she thought girls were bad.

What was worse was that her mother called her every night just to check in and make sure she was ok or if she needed anything. She saw through it in a second. She could tell that her mother was grasping at strings that she didn’t have. Her father, on the other hand, didn’t talk to her much which made her worried, especially because of the role-reversal. Her father used to call her all the time jus to hear her voice, even just to tell her she got a letter in the mail. Now she barely caught him. She didn’t want to believe what her mother said but maybe she was right…?

She was pulled out of her thoughts when her phone started ringing. Her eyebrows slid together at the number she didn’t recognize. JC looked at her, tearing his eyes away from the game that Justin and Joey were currently engrossed in. She ignored it and tossed it onto the couch. Probably her dad calling from some random hotel or something. Her mother said he was traveling lately…

“Hey Space Cadet.”

A soft voice brought her back to reality. She blinked and looked over at JC, smiling slightly. “That’s the name I use for you. You can’t give me that one.”

“I figured it called for it because of the circumstances,” he replied, shrugging. “What would you rather me call you?”

“Uh, my name?”

“No, you need a special name. Like, Munchkin, or Shrimp, or Smallfry or–” he stopped when she threw a pillow at him. He caught it easily and lightly tossed it back.

“I can see where this is going,” she grumbled.

JC looked shocked. “What, no comebacks? No smartass remarks? Nothing?” She shrugged. “What’s wrong?”

“What’s not wrong?” She replied, glumly, propping up her head on her palm and let out a little sigh. She turned her attention to the TV, chuckling a bit when Joey and Justin made a mistake in the game they were playing as they cursed under their breaths.

“Do you want to talk about it?” He asked quietly. She shook her head. She turned her attention to Little J and Oreo who had jumped onto her lap and licked at her free hand. “You can’t just keep avoiding this…”

“I’m not avoiding anything,” she said, scooping her dogs into her arms and standing. “Do you think the driver will let us stop somewhere for a bit? I need to walk these guys.” Without waiting for an answer she left the back lounge and closed the door behind her.

“Geeze, I hope she perks up by tonight or else the surprise will be ruined,” Justin muttered.

“Justin you can’t just expect her to be fine with the way her parents are dealing with their marriage,” Joey commented, not taking his eyes off of the screen. “You know you’re being kinda selfish.”

Justin paused the game with a jab of his thumb. “How the hell am I being selfish? I didn’t even do anything.”

“All you care about is the party you’ve planned. You don’t even care about what she’s doing trough. I mean, you know she hates this holiday so why are we even celebrating it on her behalf?”

“’Cause she needs to be happy,” Justin replied without looking at them. “Listen, I get it, her parents are getting divorced. I had to go through it too, although back then I didn’t get what it meant but that doesn’t mean I don’t still suffer from the effects now. I’m just trying to help her tae her mind off of it.”

“Maybe that’s not what she needs. Maybe she needs to talk about it,” JC spoke up finally.

“You two are acting like you know her better than I do,” Justin said hotly.

“This isn’t about you, J, so stop acting like we’re attacking you!” JC snapped. Justin whipped his head around and glared at his so called best friend. Justin clenched his hands into fists. Just ‘cause JC was older didn’t mean that he could treat Justin like a baby. “God, you can be such a damn baby sometimes.”

In a flash Justin was on his feet. “You take that back!” He snarled.

“No,” JC said firmly. “I’m not taking back the truth, especially when you know it’s the truth.”

“I am not a baby. Don’t call me that! Ever!”

JC was on his feet now. “Then stop acting like one! Stop being so damn selfish and stop acting like nothing is wrong! Her world’s falling apart and all you care about is a stupid party!? Grow some fuckin’ balls, Timberlake, and grow up!”

“Guys!” Joey jumped up and pushed the two away with his hands. “I think we all need to get out and take in some fresh air. Fresh air will do us some good.” Still standing between JC and Justin he pulled out his cell phone.

“What’re you doing?”  Justin asked, not taking his eyes off of JC.

“I’m calling Lou to see if he knows a place we can go without being attacked. I don’t know about you guys, but I’m starving.” He glanced back and forth between the two and spoke softly incase the other line was suddenly picked up. “It’s the close quarters, guys. You don’t really hate each other. This is all just getting to our heads. The fresh air is what we need.” He turned away when Lou had picked up the other line.

Justin glared at JC before flinging open the door of the back lounge and stomped up the aisle of the bus. How dare JC treat him like a kid still! He was sixteen! Sixteen! Two years away from being an adult, five from being able to drink legally (not that he wanted to; he’s tried drinking before and hated the taste of it. Just don’t tell his mother).

“What’s up?” Lance asked, looking up from the papers that were sitting in front of him. He kept his green eyes on the ‘N Sync Baby as he plopped down on the couch, arms crossed over his chest.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” he grumbled. He grunted when Oreo catapulted himself onto Justin’s chest. A small smile formed on Justin’s face as he scratched the puppy in between his ears. “Where are we?” He asked, looking out the window. That was always his tactic to get out of a problem, changing the subject to something so ridiculous they had to follow along with it.

“Ha! I told you I wasn’t the only one who didn’t know where we were!” Chris said happily, jabbing his finger in Lance’s face.

“Hey guys,” Joey called as he walked to the front of the bus. “I called Johnny explaining how we can barely breathe the same air as each other and not get annoyed. He gave me an address to this restaurant we could go to for lunch that’s about fifteen minutes away from here if you’re interested.”

“I’m interested in food that doesn’t come out of a freakin’ box,” Chris grumbled.

“Hey! If it weren’t for those boxes you wouldn’t even have edible food,” Mack said as she glared at him. Chris smiled sheepishly as she rolled her eyes and lazily scratched Little J’s ears. “What about these two? I can’t leave them here by themselves,” she said, nodding to Little J and Oreo.

“I’m sure the driver would watch them,” Joey said.

 “What kind of food does the restaurant have?”

“Seeing as we’re in Germany? My guess is hot dogs, hot dogs, and more hot dogs,” Chris replied.

“Don’t be ignorant,” Lance said. “They have more than hot dogs in Germany.”

“Yeah, they have pretzels!” Mack added.

“Pretzels are Dutch.”

What!?” Chris and Mack exclaimed in unison, causing Lance to jump in surprise.

“Yeah, you didn’t know?”

No!”

Lance chuckled.

After repeating directions to the driver they finally arrived at the restaurant. The bus driver took the bus to the back of the place so it would be easier to get away in case some fans found out where they were. Their bodyguards stuck close to the boys as they got off the bus and kept them in the center of their circle as they walked towards the restaurant.

“I feel like the President,” Justin commented.

“No one would be stupid enough to elect you president,” Chris said with a roll of his eyes. “We want to save the United States, not rip us apart.”

“What’re you implying, Old Man?”

“Knock it off, guys,” JC called from the back of the group. Justin shut his mouth but glared at Chris who smirked back at the curly haired teen. As soon as they walked into the restaurant they were greeted by the sight of a smiling Lou Pearlman. Justin immediately brightened when he saw the large man who, in turn, was smiling at the large group. “Hi Lou,” JC said slowly.

“I thought I told you that you can call me Poppa Lou,” Lou said with a smile, his eyes trained on JC.

“I’d rather not,” JC declined politely trying to keep himself from making a face. Something about that name he begged them to call him freaked him out but he couldn’t say anything, of course. Not with their careers on the line. He wasn’t that stupid.

“Can we just find our table all ready? I’m starving!” Mack shined and JC squeezed his eyes shut. How he wished she had a filter on her mouth, or a muzzle, that would work better in this case..

“Right this way, I’ll show you were it is,” Lou announced as the group started walking but Mack didn’t budge.

You’re eating with us?” She questioned.

“Yes,” he replied as  if the answer were obvious.

“I gotta go to the bathroom,” Mack announced suddenly, rushing away.

“I don’t get her,” Chris said.

“And you never will, she is a girl after all,” Justin replied before following Lou through the maze of tables and chairs. He stopped so suddenly that Lance had walked right into him. Justin’s smile faded instantly and he stared blankly at the table that was in the back of the restaurant. There, five pairs of eyes were staring back at them, all blank.

“I figured this would be a good time to finally introduce you all,” Lou said, beaming as if it were the best idea in the world. “Backstreet Boys, this is ‘N Sync: Justin, Chris, Joey, Lance, and JC. ‘N Sync, the Backstreet Boys: Kevin, Brian, AJ, Howie, and Nick.” He pointed to each person in turn as he said their names. No one said anything, they just stared at each other. Lou cleared his throat so they all looked at him. “I took the liberty to, I guess, assign you guys a place to sit. JC, you can sit across from Kevin, Joey across from Howie, Lance across from Brian, Chris across from AJ, and Justin across from Nick.” None of the guys moved, they just continued to stand there as if they were glued to the floor.

“You can sit down,” Johnny said as he sat down at the table next to Nick. He seemed to break their trance and they slowly pulled back their chairs and sat down, looking everywhere else but at the boys across from them.

“What about Mack?” Justin asked Lou, noticing out of the corner of his eye that AJ had sat up straighter when Justin mentioned his friend’s name.

“She can sit next to you, of course,” Lou replied with a smile, nodding at the empty seat in between them and across from Johnny.

Justin smiled and relaxed a bit as he lifted his menu and stared hard at the words in front of him. He frowned and turned the menu this way and that as if it would help him figure out what was written on the laminated page. “Dude, what is any of this stuff?” He whispered to Chris.

“Beats me, I figured I’d just order something that sounded better than something else. Or something I can pronounce, whichever comes first,” Chris whispered in response.

“So Johnny,” AJ spoke up, folding his hands on the table. Chris made a face at the black painted nails and looked at Justin who shrugged. “Where’s this dancer girl you’ve been telling us about?”

“She has a name,” Justin snarled. AJ turned his eyes to the curly-haired boy but didn’t say anything. He merely turned his eyes back to Johnny and lifted his eyebrows.

“She’ll be back shortly,” Johnny replied, looking over the menu himself. “Boys, er, Backstreet Boys, why don’t you tell them what you have planned for the future?”

“Do we have to?” AJ groaned under his breath. Brian elbowed him in the side and AJ glared at the Kentuckian. “We’re on tour for a month and then we’re going home,” he said gruffly.

“Man, I wish I could go home,” Joey muttered, spinning his straw in his cup.

“Why?” AJ grinned maliciously. “You tour prudes getting homesick all ready?”

“AJ!” Kevin scolded from the other end of the table.

“Who ya callin’ a prude?” Justin bristled.

“Justin!” JC hissed.

“The angel sitting across from me,” AJ said with an eye roll.

AJ!” Kevin sighed.

“You say that like it’s a bad thing!” Justin barked.

Justin!” JC said in a warning tone. JC glanced at Lou and Johnny to see why they werne’t doing anything. They just sat quietly at the head of the table, talking to each other and glancing at the boys every now and then. Joey, Lance, Chris, Howie, Nick, and Brian just sat there looking back and forth

“If the halo fits…” AJ sang.

“Why I oughtta–” Justin started.

“Hey!” Mack snapped so suddenly it caused everyone to jump. She had her hands shoved into her pockets and she was standing stiffly. “I need to borrow someone’s jacket,” she muttered through clenched teeth.

“What took you so long? Were you peeing a river?” Justin asked, suddenly switching back to his upbeat self, ignoring her question. Howie chuckled and quickly switched it to a cough when Brian turned to him and lifted an eyebrow.

“Just give me the damn jacket!” She growled.

JC pushed back his chair and took off his jacket. As he handed it to her he asked, “Are you ok?”

“Well, let’s just say picking red as a color for Valentine’s Day can be ironic,” she replied, hastily tying the sleeves of the jacket around her waist. She glanced around and tried not to make a face when she noticed she had to sit next to Lou. He looked up at her at the moment and smiled the smile that made her skin crawl.

“Are you sure you’re ok?” JC asked, placing a hand on her shoulder.

She shrugged it off. “Yeah…” She dropped down in her chair and looked up when she noticed everyone was looking at her. “What?”

“So you’re the dancer girl,” AJ spoke up.

“Whatsitooya?” Mack asked defensively.

“Just askin’, girl, since Johnny can’t shut up about you and how wonderful you are.” His words were added with massive amounts of fake enthusiasm as he rolled his eyes. Brian hit AJ again and he sucked in his breath and slumped in his chair a bit.

“You’ll have to excuse him,” Brian finally spoke up turning his attention to the young girl. “It’s the jetlag.” AJ grunted but didn’t say anything. “You have a pretty big rep for being only…sixteen?”

“Fifteen,” Mack corrected. “I, uh, turn sixteen in September.”

“Oh, so you’re still a baby,” Howie said, tilting his head slightly. He flinched when she glared at him.

“I’m no baby,” she hissed.

“I don’t think he meant it like that,” JC spoke up quickly.

“What he means is he thinks it’s, um, impressive how much you’ve done choreography wise and you’re only fifteen,” Kevin filled in. A silence fell over the table and everyone glanced at each other as if daring them to speak. The only sound that filled the nearly empty restaurant was the sound of Nick resting his glass back down on the table. A few seconds later that silence was shattered.

“Sorry,” Nick apologized as the rest of the Backstreet Boys whipped their heads in his direction. “It slipped out.” He glanced at Johnny and Lou, then across the table at Mack, before blushing and looking down at his lap. Joey and Lance had made a face; JC seemed to ignore the loud belch, whereas Justin and Chris were cracking up.

“Wow, how’d you get enough force behind that one?” Justin asked with shining eyes. Nick looked at him in confusion as Justin and Chris waited for an explanation eagerly.

“I think it was how he took in air,” Chris replied, elbowing Justin. “Let’s try.”

“Don’t. Even. Think. About it!” JC said from the other end of the table.

“Gosh, you don’t have to be so freakin’ uptight,” Justin muttered to the table. “Just ‘cause you’re older…”

“My manners fill more than a teaspoon, unlike you.”

“Stop treating me like a baby!”

“I would if you’d stop acting like one!”

Please let the waiter come. Please let the waiter come. Please let the waiter come, Mack chanted in her head as she stared down at the table. It was bad enough she was forced to eat random crap she didn’t know but now she was forced to talk to the Backstreet Boys and sit next to Lou Pervert Pearlman? If Johnny wasn’t sitting across from her or the others weren’t there she’d have jumped up and bitch slapped him for smiling at her the way he was or “accidentally” nudging her foot with his. But she had to sit there and be quiet like a good little girl or risk embarrassing them or JC.

Finally the waiter came by and took their orders. Johnny and Lou started talking to the two groups about the success of NKTB and how they were shaping up to join them in boyband history. It was as if mentioning NKTB brough the two bands together for one small moment in time because they sat there listening as if their lives depended on it. Mack was bored to say the least. That’s the only thing she hated about travelling with them, everything was about work, work, work. They rarely ever got to do anything fun and because of that she had to suffer too. She wished she was with Lynn who was shopping at the very moment, and she hated shopping.

“Mackie!” Justin shouted, snapping his fingers in her face.

She jerked and looked at him. “I hate it when you do that,” she muttered, shoving his hand away.

“If you actually pay attention I wouldn’t have to,” Justin replied. “Johnny was asking if you’d want to take on a new gig.”

“Doing what?” Mack asked, looking at Johnny.

“Choreographing for them,” he replied, tilting his head in the Backstreet Boys’s direction. They all lifted their heads to look at her, then Johnny, and back again. “It’ll be good exposure to a different type of dancing.”

“What about them?” She asked, glancing at ‘N Sync who had mixed looks of alarm on their faces.

“It’s not going to take you away from them permanently. I was thinking maybe you could work with them over the summer? That way your school work isn’t in jeopardy either,” Johnny said. “Also, you would like to build up your choreography resume, don’t you think? Don’t get me wrong, it’s pretty impressive all ready, but choreographing for both of the biggest up-and-coming boybands would really help you out in the future.”

“I have time to think about this, right?” She asked slowly.

“Yes although I don’t see why you would pass up on such a great opportunity,” Lou replied, shifting his left foot slightly so it lightly brushed against her ankle. She jumped up from her chair so suddenly that it fell over backwards.

“What’s wrong?” Johnny asked in alarm.

“Cramps,” she muttered, keeping her head down and rushing into the bathroom. As soon as the door was closed behind her and she checked that she was by herself hot tears poured down her cheeks. She sank to the floor, her knees pulled up to her chest. She was breathing heavy, her head felt stuffy, and the tears were an endless flow.

Finally, through red, stinging eyes, she grasped the edge of the sink above her and pulled herself to her shaking feet. She faced the mirror and winced at the sad sight that was looking back at her. turning on the water, she splashed her face with the cool water. After drying her face she carefully dug around in her right pocket before pulling out the folded cloth. Carefully unwrapping it, she laid it out on the edge of the sink. Finally the cloth lay flat on the edge of the sink and she picked up the small, metallic object that lay in the center.

Gently picking it up and holding it between her forefinger and thumb the razor blade shone brilliantly in the light of the bathroom. Carefully rolling up the sleeve to her shirt she unfastened her watch that hid the single small, puffy, scratch on her wrist. Taking a deep breath she pressed the tip of the blade against her pale skin.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

She jumped and cursed under her breath as blood seeped to the surface where she knicked herself. She carefully placed the razorblade back onto the cloth and brought her arm up to her mouth. She rolled her eyes when the knocking continued. “What?” She called in what she hoped as a calm voice.

“Are you ok? Do you need anything? I can go and get Momma,” Justin’s voice called through the door.

“I’m fine!” Mack called back, turning on the water and sticking her arm under the tap. “I’m feeling better.”

“Ok, the food’s on the table.”

“I’ll be there in a bit.” She stood there, waiting for his footsteps to fade before turning off the water and sighing a bit at the stinging on her arm. She dabbed at it with a paper towel, making sure the bleeding stopped before putting her watch back on to cover up the new scratch. She rolled down her sleeve and then folded up the razor once more and shoved it into her pocket. She glanced in the mirror telling herself that she could go back out there and if anyone asked about her red eyes she’d just say someone was smoking.

Simple as that.

Making a face at her off colored dye, she pulled open the door of the bathroom and went back to the table. Almost automatically every conversation stopped as she sat down. She ignored it and stared at the food that was sitting on her plate. Or what she thought was supposed to be food, to her it looked like a pile of crap but she knew better than to say anything. The combination of having to sit next to Lou and the state of the food made her lose her appetite so she just pushed her food around her plate and listened to them talk. Suddenly a loud belch interrupted all speech. Chris and Justin cracked up once more while the Backstreet Boys, minus Nick who was blushing, groaned. Lou and Johnny stopped whispering behind their hands and turned to look at them.

“Geeze Frack, keep a lid on it!” Howie said as he waved a hand in his face.

“I’m sorry, it just slipped out,” Nick apologized, turning redder.

“I’m sorry, it just slipped out,” AJ mocked. “Keep a lid on it next time. I’d rather you blow up than let one of those out again.”

“At least it didn’t come out the other end this time,” Kevin groaned, holding his face in his hands.

“Sorry,” Nick sighed, looking down at the table.

“Well, then, I guess it’s time for everyone to get going. Boys, you have a plane to catch don’t you?” Johnny asked, looking over at the Backstreet Boys after looking at his watch.

“Can Nick get his own plane? I don’t want to smell those fumes the whole ride,” AJ said as he backed up his chair and got to his feet, causing the others to follow his lead.

“Shut up,” Nick snapped, punching AJ on the shoulder. AJ immediately shot his arm out and punched Nick back.

“Why’re you so embarrassed anyway?” AJ continued, a smirk on his face. Nick, if possible, turned redder as he turned his back on the tattooed man. “Oooh, is wittle Nicky getting embarrassed ‘cause he burped in front of a girl?”

“I said shut up!”

“Can we just go?” Mack asked impatiently, tilting her head back and rolling it forward in annoyance.

“Did you eat anything?” Lance asked, looking at her plate which was still full and sitting on the table.

“I wasn’t hungry,” she replied, shrugging.

“But you were hungry before we came in,” Joey pointed out.

“A girl can change her mind. We do it all of the time. Get off my back,” she snapped, instantly bristling under everyone’s gaze. She could feel Lou’s eyes boring holes into the side of her head. She really just wanted to run to the bus and hide under her sheets but then she’d be questioned for leaving so suddenly. She sighed. How did she always find herself in a lose-lose situation? She practically jumped five feet in the air when she felt something brush her arm. She jerked her head to the side when she noticed Nick standing there. His face wasn’t beet red anymore but it was tinged as if he had sunburn.

“I guess they treat you like the baby too, huh?” He asked with a goofy smile on his face.

“More like I’m fragile,” she replied, shoving her hands into her pockets and glaring at the group that was by the door. Lou and Johnny were standing by the cashier trying to figure out how to pay the bill.

“Um, about what Johnny said, about choreographing for us, I think that would be really cool. I-I mean, uh, being able to work with someone new would…be…cool…” he stammered as Mack eyed him as if he were crazy.

“I haven’t agreed on it yet,” she pointed out.

“I know,” he said quickly. “I’m just saying that it would be cool if you did agree to do it.”

“Somehow I don’t think your merry band of bullies over there feel the same way.”

“It’s just ‘cause they don’t know you.”

“And you do?” She asked, lifting an eyebrow.

“Not that I do, I mean, it’s just harder for them to trust new people. Not that we don’t trust you, it’s just that–”

“You might want to stop before you stick your other foot in your mouth,” she said, holding up her hand and smiling slightly. He stopped talking and gave her a goofy grin.

“You must think I have diarrhea of the mouth now,” he said as he kicked at the ground.

“Nooooo, I don’t think that at all,” she said, shaking her head. He chuckled and ran a hand through his hair.

“Nicky, come on, we’re leaving!” AJ called from the door where the rest of the Backstreet Boys and ‘N Sync were waiting.

“So you guys are going on tour now?” Nick asked as they walked to the front of the place.

“Yup, I finally get my money’s worth,” Mack replied, joking a bit.

“Well, um, if you ever get bored or don’t have anyone to talk to…you could give me a call. If you want to, I mean, I’m not pressuring you or anything…”

She laughed as he smiled shyly at her. The guy was laying it on thick and it would be mean if she didn’t even acknowledge it. “Lucky for you I get bored easily so I might take you up on that offer.”

“Really?” He looked shocked for a second but then covered it up. “Cool. I guess…I’ll just talk to you later then.”

“Right.”

He beamed as the Backstreet Boys pushed open the door. “Bye, then.” He turned to leave as soon as the door closed and walked right into it. Justin and Chris pointed and started laughing as Nick blushed once more, rubbed his forehead, and quickly followed his friends out the door and across the parking lot.

“So boys, what do you think of them?” Lou asked as ‘N Sync made their way out the back with their bodyguards.

“They’re kind of weird,” Justin replied. “I mean who burps that much?” He paused and let out a loud belch.

“Gee, I wonder,” JC muttered sarcastically.

End Notes:
Leave some love!
The One With the Necklace Part 1 by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
Wow, this is a long one for me. The voices in my head wouldn't let me stop though. It's so long that I had to split it up into two chapters. So, I hope you all enjoy it and I'm hitting a milestone. Thirty chapters! (Well, thirty-one now) And to think I started this story a year ago. Thanks to all who read and review.

Chapter 30: The One with the Necklace Part 1

February 28th, 1997

“So where are you guys now?”

“We’re on our way to–”

No way!” Lance’s voice drifted to the bunk area of the bus. Mack sat up straight only to recoil and let out a groan of pain once her head connected with the bunk above hers. She could hear Nick laughing on the other end, probably knowing what had happened to her. “I can’t believe it!”

“Ugh. Nick, I have to go kill a certain deep-voiced singer. I’ll call you back, ok?” She disconnected the call before he could say anything. Her day hadn’t started out that well. She kept forgetting the distance between her head and the bunk above her so for the past week she’s been hitting her head. If you looked close enough you could see random spots on her forehead steadily getting darker with repeated hits. Add onto the lack of sleep from her parents calling her throughout the night and the stress of keeping the boys’ schedule, she wasn’t a chipper person. And now she felt the early signs of a cold coming on. Apparently the others were curious as to what the Mississippi boy was so happy about and joined her to check on him.

“What is it? What’s going on?” Joey asked, tugging his pants up over his hips. His eyes were still somewhat puffy from just having waked up but they were shining with fear. Apparently he practically had a heart attack when Lance started yelling.

“That was my sister, Stacey,” Lance replied, putting down his phone and beaming. “She called and told me she just got engaged to her boyfriend, Ford. They’re going to get married in December.”

“That’s great, Lance!” Mack said, suddenly forgetting how annoyed she was. She sat down at the table across from him. “So, where’s it going to be held? Have they picked a place yet?”

“Not yet but when she was younger Stacey always said she dreamed about having her wedding in the snow,” he replied.

“Excuse me! Is the only reason you gave me a heart attack because your sister is engaged?” Joey demanded. Lance nodded.

“You needed to get up anyway,” Johnny commented from the front. “To take a look at the stage. It’s an outside show today.”

“An outside show?” Justin repeated.

“Yes. The stage is in an outside area. I would like it better if it were in the later hours so it would be cooler but your show is smack dab in the middle of the day today and you get the rest of the night off,” Johnny explained.

“Well, you boys better get your sunscreen on now,” Lynn commented. “You don’t want to look like lobsters by the end of the day.”

“Tell that to Mack. She’s going to need a bucket of the stuff to make sure she doesn’t burn,” Justin said with a grin. Mack fake laughed and gave him a response with her middle finger, ignoring Lynn’s scolding look. “How do you get ready for an outside show?”

“Drink a lot of water and wear a lot of sunscreen and then you’ll be fine,” Lynn replied, running her fingers through his curly hair. “As long as you don’t overdo it. I don’t want you passing out on the stage from the heat.”

“Heat, huh?” Joey commented as he came back to the front of the bus. A grin spread across his features. “You know what that means dontcha?” He asked, nudging Chris. “Hot girls in shorts, skirts, and bikinis.”

Mack let out a sound of disgust and rolled her eyes. “Are hot girls all you ever think about?” She demanded.

“No, beautiful girls is high up on my list as well,” he replied, high fiving Chris who started laughing.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Lynn chuckled, glancing at Mack. “You’re surrounded by idiots.”

“Worse, I’m surrounded by boys,” she replied. Justin stuck his tongue out at her and she returned the gesture. He stuck out his tongue again, this time making an exaggerated gagging noise and she returned that gesture as well. Soon they were nose to nose having a staring contest trying to get the other one to blink first.

“Wow, you can tell their age doesn’t reflect their maturity,” Joey commented biting into an apple.

“My IQ is higher than your maturity,” Mack shot back.

“My IQ is higher than your maturity,” Joey repeated his voice extremely high. It was obvious that he was trying to imitate her but he failed. She grinned but didn’t tear her eyes away from Justin’s. “Hey Johnny, how much time do we have between getting to the hotel and having to go to soundcheck?”

“Three, four hours,” Johnny replied.

“Good. Mack, you and I are going shopping,” Joey announced.

“Uh, what?” She muttered without turning around.

“I said–”

“I heard what you said,” she interrupted him, fighting the urge to roll her eyes. “But why shopping of all things you want to do?”

“Becauuuusssseeee”–he held out the word longer than necessary–“you’re a girl if you haven’t noticed. You can’t go around for the rest of your life dressing like a boy.”

“I’m a girl, really? So that’s why I have melons strapped to my chest. And here I thought they were just there for decoration,” she quipped.

“Melons?” Justin scoffed. “Gurrl, you have golf balls.”

“You would recognize them; although mine are just a little bit higher up than yours.”

Lance struggled to keep the juice in his mouth as Chris hooted with laughter. Joey was doubled over and JC’s face was red as he slapped his knees. Justin pursed his lips and clenched his hands into fists as Mack smirked. She knew she had him backed into a corner where he couldn’t do anything. Especially since his mother was sitting a few feet away. He merely took a deep breath in through his nose and let it out sharply. The noise caused her to jump and blink and he threw his arms into the air in triumph.

“Now that’s not fair!” She protested over his cheers of “I’m a winner, you’re a loser!”

“Fair and square, baby! I win, you lose! Ha ha HA!” He jumped onto the couch and started doing a little victory dance as Mack fumed.

“In the long run you’re the real victor. Golf balls…hee hee,” Chris whispered into her ear before he started laughing all over again. Justin stopped his victory dance and glared at Chris, hands on his hips. Chris merely pointed at Justin and laughed even harder, holding his sides and rolling around. Justin dove on top of him and the two soon found themselves in a wrestling match.

“What’s the matter, Old Man? Can’t pin me down?” Justin asked, laughing a bit as he managed to duck out of Chris’s hold. “Huh? Can’t pin me down? No, ya can’t and you wanna know why? ‘Cause I’m as smooth as buttah!”

“Your little tushy was when you were a baby,’ Lynn remarked. Justin froze as the others grinned and covered their mouths. Chris used that as an opportunity to pick up Justin and pin him to the floor.

“Aww, Wittle Justy got embarwessed!” Chris cooed, pinching Justin’s cheek. He tried to reach up and slap the older man’s hands out of the way but Chris pressed his weight against Justin’s chest. He made a gagging sound as he struggled to breathe.

“Hey hey!” Johnny yelled, finally turning around to look at them. “Knock it off, we don’t want one of you getting hurt before your show today,” he said in a warning tone, looking at all of them in the eye. They stayed silent and nodded.

“Yeah,” Mack spoke up. “Any of you get on my bad side and I’ll easily break your noses.” She held up her casted hand as if to prove a point. The guys rolled their eyes. Her threats were staring to fall on deaf ears since they learned that she never really carried them out, they were just for show to show how ‘tough’ she was and they knew it but they didn’t say anything about it. They knew better; she had trained them well.

Finally they made it to the hotel. Justin jumped down the stairs of the bus and started running around the parking lot. Chris and Joey watched him running around as if he were crazy. Lynn explained to their confused looks that he was getting rid of his pent up energy and that they shouldn’t stop him. They, along with their bodyguards, started unpacking their things from the bottom of the bus but Johnny kept Mack behind.

“I just wanted to know what your plans were for practice today,” Johnny said.

Mack tapped her pen on her notebook absentmindedly for a few seconds before answering him. “Usually I just get them to stretch for a certain amount of time and then get them to run through the entire show without stopping. For the past couple of weeks what I’ve done is focused each practice on a certain person, to see what makes them tick. Lance is the easiest, he isn’t confident in his dancing skills so on some days I focus on Lance a bit more. Some days I focus on Joey more than the others to try and get him to stop playing to the invisible crowd and pay more attention to his moves because he makes little mistakes that could be eliminated if he paid attention, stuff like that.”

Johnny nodded slowly as if thinking things over. “Who were you going to focus on today?”

“The one person who doesn’t need my focus,” Mack replied. “I’m sure you know who that is.”

“JC,” they said in unison. Mack nodded.

“Why JC?” Johnny questioned.

“Because JC always takes everything they’ve learned and brings it up another notch, a notch that the others can’t compete with. He knows it, they know it, but they don’t want to say anything about it.” She leaned back and stretched her arms behind her, letting out a slow breath. “I’m going to teach him a lesson.” She scooped up her notebook and grabbed her bag off of the floor and started to move past him to the stairs of the bus.

“What lesson exactly?” Johnny asked in an amused tone.

“That there’s no ‘I’ in ‘N Sync,” she called over her shoulder. She jumped down the rest of the stairs and went to get her things. She was reaching for the handle of her suitcase when Lonnie stopped her and told her that he would get it. She smiled her thanks and walked with him to the door of the hotel. The first thing she saw when she stepped in was Chris and Justin throwing mints from the receptionist desk and giggling to each other when they hit JC on the back of the head as he sat in a chair. Lynn would scold them and they would stop but as soon as her attention was turned they’d start throwing them again.

“And Chris is twenty-six?” She muttered under her breath.

“You ready to go?” Joey asked her with a big smile.

“Do I have to?’ She whined like a little kid.

“It’ll be fun, I promise. Lonnie can take your stuff to your room.” Joey looked at Lonnie who nodded. Mack hesitated but finally gave up her notebook and followed Joey right back out of the hotel after he motioned to Lynn that he’d be with her.

“Shouldn’t we get a body guard or something?” Mack muttered.

“Uh-uh, trust me if it’s something I’ve learned about celebrities it’s that people don’t think it’s really you if you don’t go out in disguise, we’ll be fine,” Joey said with a wave of his hand as if sweeping the notion away. “Do you want to eat first? I don’t know about you but I’m starving.”

“Food’s fine,” Mack muttered shoving her hands into her pockets. She looked up and down the street and at the people they passed. From time to time she glanced at Joey and laughed when he eyed a few girls that they passed. Even with Joey she couldn’t help but feel tense, as if she was getting ready to jump out of her skin at the smallest disturbance.

“This place looks good,” Joey said after a few minutes of walking around. He pulled open the door and ushered her inside with a flourish of his arm. She chuckled and walked inside, looking around before walking up to the counter.

“Guten Tag! Wie kann ich Ihnen helfen?” The person behind the counter said with a bright smile. Joey looked at him blankly before turning to look at Mack as if she had suddenly understood Germany over night.

“What did he say?” Joey questioned.

“I don’t know! I’m the French speaking girl! I don’t speak German!” She cried out, throwing her arms into the air.

“Sie sprechen Französisch? Ich weiß auch!” The man said excitedly. “Que voulez-vous commander?”

Mack’s eyes lit up. “Je voudrais un cheeseburger au bacon, des frites et un Coca-Cola. Mon ami voudrais la même chose mais un cheeseburger normale et une bière à la place si c'est possible.”

“C’est tres possible. Votre total est 10,49.”

Joey paid the man and they stood by the counter waiting for their food. Once it arrived they carried it over to a table and sat down. Joey watched her as she reached for her Coke bottle and unscrewed the cap.

“Since when do you drink Coca-Cola? I though you only drank Sprite,” he commented before shoving a few fries into his mouth.

“I just didn’t want Sprite,” she replied.

She had the mouth of the bottle to her lips when Joey commented, “I wouldn’t want it either if it ‘cause me to feel up my friend.”

The soda got caught in her throat and she started coughing. Her eyes started to water and she hit herself on the chest, trying to force up a burp. When it finally came she sighed and relaxed in her seat. She finally caught her breath and hissed, “Who told you about that?”

“I got it out of Justin back in Sweden,” Joey replied. “They guy cracked like an egg. We could tell something was up with him but he wouldn’t say anything. I finally got it out of him by sitting on him.”

Mack’s lips twitched as she flushed. “Nothing happened, ok?” She said in a forceful tone.

“It’s between you and Jace anyway, I have no say in anything,” Joey said with a shrug.

She eyed him suspiciously. “But you want to know something…”

“You’re right about that.” He wiped his mouth with his napkin and leaned back. “I want to know about you. I’ve come to realize in the past couple of years that I don’t really know you and I want to fix that.”

“Huh.” She leaned back in her chair as well and regarded him. “Why did it take you this long to ask?”

“I didn’t want you to get mad at me or somethin’. Who knows when you’re PMSing? I could’ve picked a bad day for all I know. I don’t know about you but I wasn’t in the mood to get something thrown at me if I ask something wrong,” he replied. “So, what’s your story, kid?”

“Born in Montreal, raised in Memphis. Met Trace and Justin as soon as I got there but we didn’t really become friends until we were three. They protected me from stuff as we grew up, boys, bullies, life basically.” She sighed and rolled her neck before looking at her hands. “I guess they protected me from my parents’ divorce as well, I think they saw it coming. I was off in my own world that I didn’t see the signs but it was vaguely aware that they were fighting over small things.”

Joey nodded. “And dancing? How’d you get into that?”

“Dance for me is like breathing for everyone else. Momma and Daddy always say that I’ve been dancing before I could walk. As I grew up I did ballet, jazz, tap, hip hop, acro, break, and a lot of line dancing back in Memphis.” She absentmindedly tugged at the metallic blue tied eighth note necklace around her neck. “I just…I don’t know, I like the freeing feeling of dancing if that makes sense…” she glanced at Joey who nodded and took a bite of his hamburger. “I begged Momma to let me go to lessons so much that practically lived at the studio in Memphis. I even started teaching a few kids classes and a few work out classes that had a dance core. It’s just always been a rush that I craved.” She shrugged and shoved some fries into her mouth. Joey snickered at the way her cheeks bulged.

“And this MMC thing? I thought only JC and Justin auditioned,” Joey eased in.

Mack held up her finger, signaling for him to wait. She finally swallowed, took a sip of her drink and responded, “Well, I was always into movies and I would comment on how people acted in some scenes. Momma was the one who suggested I auditioned for MMC once she heard Justin was going to audition ‘because we had gone with them to Florida so I could go to Disney World with Trace. Trace was sick the day Justin went to audition and I went to support him. Some kids were turned down on the spot and I didn’t want them to be upset so I tried to get them to laugh and feel better. Matt Casella, the casting director, saw and gave me an audition right off the bat. Justin was in his audition at the time so he didn’t know I had one. I didn’t want to do it but Momma pushed me as usual.” She paused to roll her eyes and sigh. “I sang, danced, and read a monologue. Long story short they liked me. A few days later, about two days before they called Justin about his success, they called me, told me I had a spot, but I turned it down. I knew that if I had taken it then there was a chance that Justin wouldn’t have gotten it and he wanted it more than I did.” She shrugged. “No big deal.”

Joey smiled and slowly shook his head. “Has anyone ever told you that you have the sensitivity of a thirty-year-old? You have a good head on your shoulders, kid.”

“Momma didn’t raise no fool.”

Joey laughed. The sound of his laughter finally got her to let out a breath and relax her tense muscles. She suddenly got one of those rare warm and fuzzy feelings that washed over her and practically turned her to goo. At that moment she finally realized how much she loves Joey’s company. He always made her laugh and made sure she had a good time whatever they were doing and was one of the first to include her on activities that they did.

“You done?” He asked her a few minutes later. She nodded. “Good, it’s time to max out some credit cards.” They gathered their things and threw it away before leaving the place. Joey held out his hand to her once they stepped onto the sidewalk. She took it and they started skipping down the street, singing songs at the top of their lungs, laughing whenever they forgot words to some songs. By the time they got to a clothing store Mack’s abs were tight from laughing so hard and Joey was singing an off-key rendition of “This is How We Do It”.

They split up and started moving around the room. Mack was absentmindedly dragging her hand across the clothes on the rack, bobbing to the beat of the song that was playing. She glanced at Joey across the room and wondered if she should ask him about Lou and what he thought about him. It could be weird, he was basically providing them with everything but even he had to think Lou was kind of weird sometimes, right? Mack sighed thinking that she might as well ease into it.

“So, what do you think about Johnny being your manager and the manager of the Backstreet Boys?” Mack asked casually as she pulled a hat off of the wall and pulled it down over her hair. “This good?” She turned to Joey.

He looked at her and scrunched up his face. “No.” He shook his head and she took that hat off. “And I think its fine. I mean, he knows what he’s doing, it’s not like he’s sabotaging us and helping the others. We’re doing pretty well if you haven’t noticed.”

“I’ve noticed, my pockets have noticed as well,” she joked. She took a deep breath and said, “What about Lou? What do you think of him?” She held her breath as she waited for his response. Time seemed to slow down. The ticking of the clock at the end of the store seemed to match her heartbeat.

“I can’t complain. He’s practically funding everything,” Joey replied, shrugging, an arm full of clothes. “I gotta admit though, the guy’s a little too clingy. I swear, he pops up wherever we go like he’s watching us or something.” He shuddered at the thought. “Why?” He asked, tilting his head.

Mack let out her breath. “Ah, just curious,” she said with a little smile. ‘You can tell Joey, he’ll help you. He won’t make a big deal about it, she tried to convince herself. She opened her mouth and tried to force the words out but nothing happened. She let out a breath and tried again but something in her brain was stopping her from spilling her secret. She looked down at her feet and bit her lip. Never in her life has she ever felt like such a coward.

“Here. Try these on.” He shoved the pile of clothes into Mack’s arms. There was so many that she could barely see over the top of the stack. He grabbed her shoulders, wheeled her around, and directed her to the dressing room. “And you better model each selection or I’ll barge in there and I don’t care if you’re in the middle of changing either.” With one final shove he reached in and closed the door of the dressing room before sitting down in a chair and waiting.

“No…way!” Mack’s voice came from the other side of the door. “No way! Joey, I’m not wearing this stuff!”

“It’s me you’re talking to, I thought you’d understand what kind of clothes I’d want you to wear,” Joey called back.

“I’m not coming out, Fatone!”

“Maaaaack,” Joey sighed like a disappointed parent. “You’re a girl, which we’ve established before. You’re almost sixteen, you gotta start showing off your assets and, trust me, I’m the master of assets.”

“Yeah? Name one.”

“Your eyes.”

“They’re sitting smack dab in the middle of my face, genius. I can’t just decide I want brown eyes, pluck my eyeballs out, and trade them for yours.”

Joey could practically see her eyes rolling. “Well, your other good asset is your legs. You have sexy legs but you never show them off unless you’re wearing shorts, which further my point in you needing to dress like a girl.”

“But Joeyyyyyy,” Mack whined.

“The faster you get through this the faster we’ll get out of here,” Joey said in a singsong voice. He grinned when he heard her sighing heavily. A few minutes passed by in silence. “I’m waaiiiiiting.”

“Ok ok, fine!” She practically flung open the door and stomped out, arms crossed over her chest. She was wearing a white, knee-length dress with black flowers on it, a single blue ribbon was tied on it separating the top with the skirt part of the dress and black and blue chunky sneakers were on her feet. “Happy now?”

“Ecstatic, now go try on something else,” Joey ordered. Grumbling under her breath she turned around and stomped back into the dressing room. She spend the next twenty minutes going in and out of the dressing room modeling clothes for him as he moved around pretending to take pictures of her as if she were on a runway. She finally convinced Joey to go back when she saw that it was getting closer to having to go to sound check.

“I still can’t believe you bought this stuff for me,” Mack commented as she shifted the bag that was in her hands.

“You needed a new wardrobe anyway; think of it as an early birthday present,” Joey said as he gave her shoulder a squeeze. “’Sides, something told me you needed a day away from them or you’d kill them in their sleep.”

“I wouldn’t wait that long,” she joked. “I’d want to put them out of their misery as fast as possible.”

“At least you’re considerate when you kill us,” Joey sighed in content.

Mack smiled.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“After analyzing how you guys have been working all week I can say that your dancing has improved a lot. You’re barely getting winded, which is good which means me pushing you guys to do pushups and sit ups and stuff has helped get your bodies in shape. Because you guys are doing well with staying in shape and getting your moves down I’ve focused my attention on what each of you needs to focus on to get better,” Mack said as she paced in front of the slightly panting guys who were sitting on the stage.

Chris was lying flat on his back, his arms covering his eyes from the sun. Lance was using the bottom of his shirt to mop the sweat off of his forehead. Joey was guzzling a bottle of water. JC and Justin were the only ones sitting there, listening to her intently.

“For example, I’ve focused on Lance’s er…lack of dancing…consistency,” Mack continued, giving Lance an apologetic look. He responded with a sweet smile and a blink of his eyes. “Another, trying to get Joey to…” she paused and looked at him as he stared intently at his water bottle as he swished the bottle around. She grabbed the bottle and continued as he grinned sheepishly, “trying to get Joey to pay attention! Stuff like that.” She started pacing again. “Now, this time, my focus is on someone but not in a good way.” She stood in front of them with her hands crossed over her chest, looking at all of their faces, making sure to keep hers blank. “So I’m going to make this easy: if the one person doesn’t act with you guys, like one single unit and doesn’t show off, then you’ll be fine. If he does, then you all will be punished until it’s drilled into his brain that you guys are a group first, individuals second. Understand?”

“Yeah…sure…” they grumbled.

Her eyes narrowed. “I said…do…you…understand?”

“MA’AM, YES, MA’AM!” Chris shouted.

Justin turned his laugh into a cough when Mack turned her eyes to him. “Cute,” she muttered. “Ok, run through ‘I Want You Back’ one more time,” she ordered. “Now, remember, this is your last day using a backing track. Once tour kicks off you’re going to use a real band so we might have to change the tempo, but don’t worry about that now.” She walked over to the CD player and waited for them to get in line before pressing play on the music. She watched their footing and their movements intently as she tugged at the necklace around her neck. She suddenly realized that she would need to replace the chain or it would break soon. She returned her attention back to the dancing guys and let out a sharp breath when she saw their downfall. That kick, the one extra kick that JC always adds before the breakdown of the song was their downfall.

The guys slammed to a stop before collapsing on the ground, sweating and crying out for water. Johnny rose from where he was sitting and walked over to Mack who had jabbed the stop button on the CD player.

“Don’t be too hard on them, it’s getting warm out here,” Johnny said as he dabbed at his brow. “I’m worried about the crowd as well, with all the people it’s going to be packed. We’re either going to have to cut it short or find a way to cool everyone off.”

“Leave it all to me, I’ll figure something out,” she said as she pulled her hair back into a ponytail and fanned her neck. “And I won’t kill them, don’t worry, I just have them scared. I’m just going to make them do wall sits for a while until the message sinks in.”

“Ok, see you back at the hotel.” He waved to her and then started to walk away. “You’re doing good guys. See you later.”

Their responses were muffled as they lifted an arm and let it drop onto the stage as they breathed heavily. “Are we done? Can we go home?” Justin asked, pulling his shirt away from his sweat slick body.

“Uh-uh,” Mack replied, shaking her head. “Wallsits, that’s it.” Their groans filled the air. “Five minutes, you guys have done this before. Come on.” She jumped off the stage and backed up a couple of paces, waiting for them to jump off and press their backs against the wall. She turned her attention to her necklace again and frowned at how flimsy the chain felt. With an aggravated sigh she let go of the chain, looked up, and flinched. “Whoa!” She practically yelled. “Uh, you, uhm, you’re gonna wanna, kinda, maybe, um put your shirts back on,” she muttered, looking anywhere but at the guys who were now only dressed in shoes and basketball shorts. “’Cause…’cause…’cause once your, uh, backs touch the wall you’ll fall right to the, um, ground ‘because they’re so sweaty…yeah…” she finished lamely and flushed. Justin had an amused look on her face while the others guzzled water as they waited for her to start the timer. “You might want to think about what you’re going to say. You say one thing that gets on my nerves and I’ll make these the worst Wallsits you’ve had to endure!” She quickly threatened before Justin could say whatever it was he was going to say.

He kept his mouth shut but the smile never left his face as he went into a wall sit. Once she was sure they were all ready she hit the timer on her watch and waited, watching with a smirk of satisfaction on her face when she saw their legs trembling and their faces steadily turning red in agony.

“Who the hell is the freaking’ idiot that pissed you off?” Justin got out through clenched teeth when she called out three minutes.

“I’ll give you a hint, his name starts with a ‘J’,” Mack replied.

“That’s not a fucking hint!”

“That’s all you’re going to get.” She finally called five minutes and they collapsed onto the ground in a heap and she laughed. “Y’all a bunch of sissies.” Justin gave her the one finger salute as she got to her feet. “The show’s in an hour and a half. Johnny says you can either go back to the hotel to shower and change or you can stay here. That building right there,” she jerked her thumb over her shoulder, “they’re letting us use a conference room as your dressing room if you just want to hang out there.”

“Hotel. Me want hotel,” Chris groaned, crawling on his hands and knees in the direction of the hotel.

“Make that two,” Joey sighed.

“Three,” Lance grumbled.

“Ok. Y’all just go and I’ll stay here and talk with the stage crew to try and find a way to keep you guys cool during the show. If you need me I’ll be in there.” She tilted her head at the building. “I have my phone.” They slowly got to their feet, gathered their things, and started to walk off. “Josh, you stay,” she called halting JC in his tracks.

“Oooh, you’re in for it. She used your real name,” Justin commented, lightly patting JC on the arm.

“Um, what’s up?” JC asked once the others left.

“I’m sure you know by now that my little ‘speech’ was directed towards you,” she started. He nodded but didn’t say anything. “I’m not saying that you’re selfish or think that this group revolves around you, but what I am saying is that you need to remember that you’re a group first. You get a rush on that stage, I get that just don’t let it take over your mind. One day, if you try something on a higher scale, it could either throw off your timing or mess up the others’ concentration. I’m not saying stop what you’re doing altogether, I’m saying just…think about the group first, ok?”

“Ok,” he said with a little nod. Really, he didn’t think he was doing anything wrong. Adding something extra to their moves was something that he always did, practically something that he was known for. “Um, is everything ok?” He asked, adjusting the strap to the bag that was over his shoulder.

“Yes, for the thousandth time,” she said, turning her back to him to gather her own things.

“Are you absolutely positively sure?” He asked, following her. “’Cause I know how reserved you can get and you know that you can tell us anything.”

She sighed and clutched the towel in her hands a little bit tighter. “Anything?” She questioned before tossing him the towel.

“Anything,” he repeated.

“Ok.” She hesitated. “Say I told you that someone was…bothering me.”

“Bothering you how?” JC asked, rubbing his head with the towel.

“Bothering me like…” she twisted her hands which JC immediately found odd. She never got nervous. That sent off bells and sirens in his head. “Invading my space in a, um, physical way?” Her voice was small and she was looking down at her feet. Her heart pounded against her chest as she waited for JC’s reaction. The silence was killing her; she was about ready to pass out she was holding her breath so long.

“Please…please tell me I’m wrong when I ask you this.” JC’s voice was hoarse. He cleared his throat and parted his lips, trying to get the words to come out. “Is someone…touching you?”

The words hung in the air like a bad smell. Mack let out her breath, glad to hear the words out loud but then Lou’s words went slamming back into her head and she stiffened. Her brain battled right vs. wrong as fear settled in.

“No,” she shook her head and forced a smile and an accompanying laugh. “I was just making sure that I actually could ask you anything. That was a hypothetical question.” She shoved the rest of her things into her bag and stood. “I really got you going there, huh?” ‘No, JC, don’t believe me!’ she screamed in her head.

“Yeah…” he said slowly. He suddenly put his hands on her shoulders and looked her in the eye. “If anyone ever touches you without your permission come and tell me or Justin or Lance or Joey or Chris or Lynn or Johnny even, OK?”

She nodded. “You might want to go before you get sun burned,” she muttered, turned, and dashed off to the building that held their dressing room. As soon as she got into the hallway of the building she threw her bag down and cursed. “God, I was so close! Why couldn’t I just say it?” she let out a whimpering sound but bit her lip to stop herself from crying. “Well, now he has an idea so that’s better than nothing. If he finds out without me saying anything then I’ll be fine.”

“Talking to yourself again?” Mack jumped and whirled around to see Lou standing in the doorway of the hallway she just passed through. She gulped and darted her eyes around to try and find a way to escape. “I saw you talking to JC; you seem to be getting pretty chummy lately? Anything going on?” Lou asked as he stepped closer.

“No. JC’s just my friend, sir,” Mack muttered, screaming at herself to get away from him but her body couldn’t move.

“And I hope it stays that way. The last thing he needs is a distraction.” Lou smiled what she was sure was supposed to be a calm smile but it was twisted at the corners. His smile dropped from his face and he lowered his voice, getting even closer. “What did you two talk about?”

“Nothing, just the show that’s it,” she whispered.

“What?” He hissed, closing his hand around her neck. Her hands flew up to her neck, trying to pry his fingers away as she gasped for air. “What?” He repeated, his mouth by her ear.

“Nothing, nothing! We were talking about the show, honest! I didn’t say anything to him at all,” she managed to get out despite spots erupting in her visions.

“And you better keep it that way if you know what’s good for you.” He let go of her neck but pinched the tied-eighth note pendant between his thumb and finger. “Where’d you get this?”

“JC gave it to me, for my 14th birthday,” Mack replied.

“How sweet.” He closed his fist around it and tugged. Mack’s hands flew to her neck when she felt the necklace dig into her skin before it gave way. She looked at the necklace through blurred eyes in Lou’s hand. “I think I’ll keep this, to remind you to keep your mouth shut. Not that I think you’d forget, though.” He tucked the necklace into his pocket and walked away. He paused, turned and said, “Oh yeah, we need someone to open for ‘N Sync because the other act cancelled. You go on at 3:30 and you have a thirty minute set, I hope you have something prepared.” The sadistic smile returned, “And who knows? Maybe I can get you a record deal then we can work closely together.”

Mack vomited. She held her stomach as her legs shook, barely being able to keep herself on her feet. She waited until she heard his footsteps faded completely before getting to her feet and stumbling to the bathroom. As soon as her head reached the toilet bowl her lunch splashed into the toilet. Her eyes and nose burned and the smell made her want to gag again but she held it down. She rested her back against the cool wall of the stall and looked at her shoes through her blurred vision. She reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone, dialing a number from memory. She wiped her nose with the back of her hand waiting for the other line to be picked up.

“Hey Dimples!” Nick greeted cheerfully.

“Did I call at a bad time?” Mack asked her voice hoarse.

“No, we don’t have anything planned today. What’s wrong?” He zeroed in on her voice.

End Notes:
Part 1 is done. Now read part 2. I order you!
The One With the Necklace Part 2 by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
Part 2! Read my lovelies~

Chapter 31: The One With the Necklace Part 2

February 28th, 1997

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Lynn asked as she gently stroked Mack’s hair.

“I don’t have a choice now do I?” She muttered, standing at the side of the stage, a microphone gripped tightly in her hand. Her legs still felt weak from throwing up and her nerves were bouncing around everywhere. She had called Nick earlier and he calmed her down for a while but as the time got closer her nerves flared up once more. She talked to the guys about what to do and they convinced her to open for them, going to Johnny with help on the music part. Everything was set up for her, the only thing she needed to do now was sing and sing well. “I just sing for thirty minutes and then cringe at the guys on the sidelines like I always do. No big.”

“You’re one selfless person. Are you sure you’re not thirty-six?” Lynn laughed.

Mack smiled slightly. “I get that question a lot believe it or not.”

“Oh I believe it.” Lynn pulled her into a hug and squeezed her tight. “I know you may not believe it, but your parents are very proud of you. Very proud and I am too.” She pulled away and wiped her eyes. “The boys are proud of you as well, even if they don’t admit it. Always remember that.”

“I know Momma Lynn.”

“You ready to become a star?” Justin asked, rubbing his hands together.

“I’m ready to throw up,” Mack replied.

“You’ll be awesome and I’m not just saying that because I have a biased opinion.” Justin’s smile faded slightly. “Hey, where’s your necklace?”

Mack’s hand immediately flew to her neck, lightly touching the bare skin as she instantly thought of a cover. “Oh no! Oh no!” She cried turning around on the spot. “It’s not here. Oh no, I lost it!”

“I’m sure it’s just in your bag. You can get it after the show.”

“No, I need it now. It’s like…my good luck charm. I need it now!”

Justin tilted his head, looking past her. “Looks like you gotta go out now.”

"No! No, I gotta find it or JC will kill me. I don't want him mad at me, please help me find it!" Mack begged near tears.

“We’ll look while you sing, ok?” Justin gave her a quick hug. “Sing pretty,” he ordered as Johnny announced her. She gave him another hug, let out a breath, and marched onto stage to the polite cheers of the crowd. She looked up and felt like she had run into a brick wall. There were a lot of people staring back at her. She glanced at Justin and Lynn who stood by the side of the stage who nodded at her. She nodded back and then signaled to the band that started playing. She bobbed her head to the beat, smiling at the sound of one of her songs that had come to life. She gripped her microphone a bit tighter, raised it to her mouth, and started singing her song.

Tell me where our time went

And if it was time well spent

Just don't let me fall asleep

Feeling empty again

Cuz I fear I might break

And I fear I can't take it

Tonight i'll lie awake

Feeling empty…

Mack felt alive on the stage as she moved around, rocked out, and head banged to her songs. She didn’t know how good it would feel to get her songs to come alive but the feeling was awesome! She didn’t want it to go away. The crowd was reacting pretty well for an unknown; they were jumping along with her and cheering loud even though they hadn’t heard the songs before. They reacted really well to her covers, especially her cover of Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ On a Prayer”. During some of her more up paced songs she even managed to throw in some flips and spins she learned over the years which really god the crowd pumping.

All too soon her set was over. She bowed, waved to the crowd, and practically bounced off stage, smiling from ear to ear. Lynn scooped her into a giant hug that turned into a group hug when the boys joined in, saying that she was going to be the next rock star of the world.

“Yeah yeah, my moment’s over, this is about you guys. Go, have fun, do your thang,” she said shooing them onto the stage. She sighed as she watched the crowd’s reaction to the guys bounding and jumping onto the stage before launching into their song. She had convinced Johnny to let them perform with a live band the day before their tour so they could get used to the changes. They adapted pretty easily and the heat didn’t seem to be bothering them. They actually brought water guns on stage to get the crowd wet so they wouldn’t be overheated, it was packed the body heat must’ve been unbearable.

And then it happened. They were performing their second to last song on the set list, TUMH, and they were doing a slide in the beginning. That’s when Justin’s hand slipped beneath him. There was a puddle of water on the stage or something. He slipped and landed on his hand but he quickly got back up like nothing happened however Mack and Lynn both noticed, after that, he held his mic in his left hand only.

“He overdid it again,” Mack sighed, shaking her head.

“It’s Justin, he always over does it,” Lynn replied.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“You guys are more like twins than I thought,” JC laughed over his take out container of Chinese food. He shifted his position on the bed slightly and sat Indian style. Next to him Justin was struggling to hold onto his chopsticks with his bulky blue cast. “I mean first Mack breaks her wrist and needs a cast and now you break your thumb and you need a cast. What’s next, you both need your tonsils out?”

“Mine are all ready out,” Mack replied, shaking her head. “He still has his. He doesn’t have his appendix but I do.”

“When do you get your cast off anyway?” Lance asked, tilting his head back to look at her, his gray Taz t-shirt wrinkled slightly.

“Four weeks,” Justin and Mack replied in unison.

“You two have been together too long,” Joey commented from the floor. They had all gathered into JC’s and Justin’s room to have dinner together. They didn’t want to leave the cool room so they ordered in. It was Joey’s idea to have a sleepover of sorts so they were all in their pajamas watching TV.

“It took her long enough to finally realize we’re boys,” Justin commented.

Mack sucked noodles into her mouth, chewed, and swallowed. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Your jaw practically hit the ground today,” he replied. “Admit it; you were admiring how hot we are.”

“Please, there’s barely anything there to admire,” she said, turning her attention back to her food.

“Uh-huh, your stuttering was very convincing that you didn’t care,” Joey joined in on the heckling.’

“I lost my train of thought!” She defended herself.

“We have that affect on girls don’t worry, this just proves you’re human.” Joey patted her knee sympathetically.

“Shut up,” she groaned although a smile was on her face.

“So, now that we know about your, um, little change, which one of us would you date?” Chris asked.

“You have a girlfriend, stupid.”

“It’s a hypothetical question, idiot.”

“None of ya. You’re too weird and you can’t handle all of this,” Mack said as she pointed a finger at herself.

Their laughter was cut when there was a knock on the door. Justin jumped up, almost tripping over his baggy pajama pants, and rushed to the door. “Hey Momma, are we being too loud?’ He asked, moving out of the way to let her in.

“No, I just want to tell you all goodnight,” she replied, kissing his cheek. Once she turned away he made a face and rubbed his cheek rapidly, making sure she left no lipstick. Chris pointed and laughed but it was silenced when she bent over and kissed his cheek. Justin smirked as she went around the room, kissing all of them on the cheek.

“Do you want us to save you anything?’ Justin asked, motioning towards the food.

“No, I don’t like eating this late, you know that,” Lynn replied, playfully swatting his arm. “Oh, Mackenzie, Johnny wants to speak with you.”

“What’d I do?” She asked.

“I’m sure it’s nothing wrong.” Lynn gave her a smile.

Mack nodded and put down her food. “If this is gone when I get back you’ll have a bigger gap in that mouth of yers,” she warned JC who grabbed a pillow and lightly hit her ass on her way out.

"Hey wait," JC stopped her. "Where's your necklace?'

"Um, I lost it somewhere," she said looking down. "I'm sorry I should've been more careful. The chain was loose and I guess it fell off. I'll pay for a new one, I promise."

"It's just a necklace," JC said with a small shake of his head. "Don't worry about it."

"If you're sure..."

"I am."

"Ok, thanks." She closed the door behind her and walked over to Johnny. “What’s up?” She asked.

“I just wanted to say you did an amazing job today on such short notice,” he replied, smiling. “You really have a voice in that small body of yours. Have you ever considered singing professionally?”

“I can’t say that I didn’t see this coming,” Mack admitted. “Justin’s been pushing me to do it. I’ll bet that’s partially how you got the idea in the first place.” Johnny nodded. “I don’t know, it’s kinda sudden and singing’s not really my thing. I’m a dancer and I prefer to be behind the scenes.”

“But you have a gift and we wouldn’t want it to go to waste,” Johnny pressed.

“Answer me this, would you make me go down the pop route?” Mack questioned. Johnny hesitated. “Then no deal. I don’t do pop, it’s not me.”

“At least think about it before you make a decision? We can talk it over with your mother and father if you want. Just…don’t close the door right now.”

Mack sighed. “Fine.”

“Thanks, Little Lady.” Johnny’s smile returned. He turned to leave but stopped. “I almost forgot, this is for you.” He pulled a CD case out of his pocket and handed it over to her.

“What’s this?” She asked, looking at it. Johnny just winked and went back to his room. Mack opened the lid of the case and smiled.

Hey, I heard you were having bad couple of days. I thought this would cheer you up. It’s a mixed CD of dance songs. Dance to your heart’s content, Dimples. =)

~Nick

End Notes:

Joey tries to understand Mack, she gets a new wardrobe, she almost spills her secret, Justin breaks his thumb, and she gets a record deal. Wow, so much happened in one day, lol. Please leave some love.

Song Credit:

"Pressure" by Paramore. (Awesome song, listen to it).

And now, to my "big sis" jersey_tenn: it's your tuurrrrrnnnnn!!

A Plane, No Train, and An Automobile Part 1 by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
Thought journals and roadtrips.

Chapter 32: A Plane, No Train, and An Automobile Part 1

March 1st, 1997

JC was the first one awake the next morning which surprised him but it didn’t surprise him at the same time. He had trouble getting to sleep last night. Not because there were five more people in the room with him snoring their heads off (Joey sounded like a truck on the highway). Not because Chris talked in his sleep and not because Justin sang in his sleep. No, he couldn’t sleep because his mind wouldn’t shut up.

No one asks a hypothetical question like that, but with Mack for all he knew it could have been just a hypothetical question but it didn’t sit right with him. It stayed in his brain all day no matter what he tried to do he couldn’t send it right back out.

He carefully got out of bed and stepped over Chris to get to the bathroom. He closed the door behind himself and turned on the light, flinching at the sudden brightness. He ran water in the sink and splashed some onto his face to wake himself up. ‘Golly, what time is it?’ JC couldn’t help but chuckle at himself. He was the only one he knew who used the term ‘golly’ still.

He went back into the room and peered at the clock. It was only six-ten. Why in the world was he awake? He glanced down at the bed and tilted his head slightly. ‘When in the world did Joey get in bed with me?’ He made a face at the thought but sat back down on the bed (on top of the covers, he didn’t want the others to make fun of him for a misunderstanding). He reached into his bag and pulled out his Thought Journal. He flipped through the pages, looking back on past events, but one passage stopped him. He glanced at the date and felt a little ache in his heart. It was the passage of the day Nikki broke up with him suddenly.

He had thought he had gotten over her but apparently his heart thought otherwise. He hadn’t really thought of her that much since they split up because he was so busy but he had to admit he missed her. A lot. He wanted to see her so badly just to get an understanding on why she suddenly broke it off. He thought they were doing well and then the breakup happened, suddenly slapping him in the face.

JC started writing in his Thought Journal, whatever came to mind, just letting everything swimming around pour out. Around eight Lance finally woke up and took the opportunity to take a shower. Chris woke up from the sound of the running water and was disoriented for a second, screaming something about dinosaurs and protecting his sacred jello. Joey woke up from having rolled off the bed and falling onto the floor. It was about nine o’clock when Chris decided he couldn’t take waiting for Justin and Mack to wake up.

“What’re you going to do?” JC asked without looking up from his notebook.

“Nothing, now ssshhhhh!” Chris replied, backing up as far as he could go.

“They’re not going to be happy with you when they wake uuup,” JC said in a sing song voice.

“That’s a chance I’m willing to take,” Chris replied, saluting him.

“God speed,” JC joked, finally putting down his notebook.

Chris smiled, pressing his back flat against the wall. He leaned forward by the shoulders, bounced a little bit in place, ran, and jumped. He sailed through the air and landed hard on Justin and Mack while yelling, “Wake up, bitchessss!”

JC laughed as arms and legs flailed underneath Chris who was rolling around on top of them. Justin finally managed to get untangled from the covers and started attacking Chris with his pillow as Mack rolled out of the way, landing on the ground with a thud. Lance burst out of the bathroom at the commotion, a towel wrapped around his waist, chest heaving as he panted.  They watched as Chris managed to grab another pillow and start hitting Justin back. They moved around the room, advancing and retreating as if they were fencers, trying to catch the other off guard. Finally Chris managed to hit Justin in the side. He dropped his pillow and grabbed his side, letting out a wail before falling to the ground and Chris threw his arms into the air in triumph.

JC shook his head, chuckling at his friends’ behavior as Chris danced around Justin’s fallen body. Justin then grabbed Chris’s ankle and tugged, sending the older man to the floor. The two began to roll around, wrestling, as Joey turned on his video camera and taped it as Mack cheered both boys on. Lance had come out of the bathroom and JC jumped up, dashing into the space before any of the others tried to beat him in there.

“Hey! That’s not fair!” JC heard Joey yell over the sound of rushing water.

“Fair is for buses!” JC called back before stripping down and stepping into the shower. He stood under the shower head, eyes closed, letting the warm water trickle down his head over his chest and down his legs. He let out a slow breath as the warm water worked at the tight knots in his back and relieved the tension that seemed to sit on his brain.

Thoughts and memories of Nikki came slamming back into his brain before he could even shove them aback out. It was if it was playing in his head like a silent movie, showing clips at a time. By the time he opened his eyes and got out of the shower water was dripping down his face but he didn’t know if t was the shower water or tears of his failed relationship.

By the time he got back out of the bathroom Chris had been wrapped up in a blanket and Justin was doing some war chant as he danced around the moving bundle. Mack, Joey, and Lance were yelling at Chris to try and fight his way out.

Kids, JC rolled his eyes.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

A few hours later they found themselves at the airport to bid goodbye to Lynn who was finally going back home and start up her dream of being a group manager. She gave them all hugs, holding onto JC a bit longer than the others. She always saw him as a son, someone she could trust watching over Justin when she was gone. JC took that responsibility to hear and made sure he didn’t upset her in anyway possible.

“I know I’ve asked you this before but please watch over them for me,” Lynn had whispered into JC’s ear. “They’re going to need someone like you watching over them, keeping them out of trouble. They may not appreciate it now but they will in the long run.” She pulled away and held him at arms length as he smiled at her. “Such a handsome young man. I know you have bodyguards but they’re not going to be around all of the time and you are a grown man capable of making his own decisions. I just encourage you to make the right ones.”

“You can count on me, Ms. Lynn,” JC told her, taking her hands in his and looking her dead in the eye. “I’ll make you proud of me, I promise.” He gave her hands a squeeze, let go, and backed away so Justin could give his mother a proper goodbye. He had been standing to the side, a stony look on his face, not saying anything at all, just watching each of them say goodbye to a woman who became more like their mother than a chaperone over the years.

Justin held onto his mother tight, taking in the scent of her perfume, taking in everything about her like a sponge. It wasn’t as if he wasn’t going to see her again, it was just that he didn’t want to see her go so soon, when things were really starting to pick up for them. He wanted to share every good moment with her. He wanted to be able to see that proud smile she had on her face every day.

“I’m proud of you, Darlin’,” Lynn said, dabbing at her eyes. “Real proud. Randy is proud as well, so are Paul and Lisa. Just remember, if you ever need us, we’re always right here.” She pointed at his chest. He nodded and sniffed, smiling a little. Lynn reached out her hand and beckoned Mack forward, pulling her into their hug. Justin moved his arm and pulled her into their hug, squeezing her tight. “I need you two to look out for each other. Show business is a bitter world, I need you two to remember that you’re each other’s lifeline so to speak. You need to hold onto each other because things are only going to pick up before they slow down and you get comfortable in whatever you’re doing.” She squeezed their hands. “I only want to hear good things about you two, ok? I’m so proud of you both, so proud.” She hugged them again and kissed them on their cheeks before turning to Mack. “I know things are hard for you right now, but you need to let them in. They’ll help you, trust them.”

Mack nodded but didn’t say anything, giving Lynn another hug. They looked up when her flight was called and let out a breath that seemed to shatter the peaceful world they were in. She grabbed her carryon bag, gave all of them another kiss, waved, and disappeared through the door.

“C’mon guys,” JC said softly, placing a hand on both Justin’s and Mack’s shoulders. They nodded and turned to follow the guys out of the airport. Mack glanced back at Justin from time to time, he was walking a bit slower in their group, surrounded by their bodyguards.

“I’m still here,” Mack said with a child-like air. Justin looked up and smiled at her.

“Don’t ever leave me,” he said as he took her small hand in his bigger one. She didn’t know if he was joking or not but didn’t question him. They got into cars and drove back to the hotel to pack their things and make sure they had everything before heading off to Trier, Germany to start their I Want You Back Tour.

There was something hanging in the air between all of them as they moved around their hotel rooms, picking up random things and tossing them onto the piles in their suitcase. Mack was slowly getting frustrated. The boys were walking on egg shells around each other, not wanting to get in each other’s way. Usually they’d talk things out and it would be over in the next minute but now they were acting like girls.

And that agitated her so she got an idea.

“You want us to drive all the way from here to Germany?” Justin asked, making sure he heard her right. Mack beamed and nodded. “Just us six, in a car…together?” She nodded again.

“C’mon guys, you know it’s a good idea,” Mack begged, looking at them all. She set her eyes on JC. “You love roadtrips, I figured you’d jump at the chance.”

“I do but…what about Johnny?’ JC asked.

“We’ll just drive behind the bus the entire time,” Mack reasoned. “Fans are sure to know what bus is yours by now and follow that. If we take an opposite route once we get closer to the venue they won’t follow a little car because they won’t expect us to be in it.”

“But what if they do find out? They might try and run us off the road like that one time, remember?” Lance questioned.

“We can have the bodyguards driving in cars around us,” Mack sighed. “I know I sound crazy right now–”

“Right now? Try all the time,” Chris interrupted.

She ignored him. “But we need this bonding time. I feel…ever since this whole thing started, instead of bringing you guys together, it just drove you apart slowly but surely. You guys might not see it, but I can.”

“You would notice that,” Justin muttered under his breath.

“What?” Mack demanded, turning to look at him.

“Nothing,” he quickly dismissed.

“No, say whatever it is you wanted to say. Be a man and say it to my face.”

Justin clenched his jaw so a muscle twitched. He stood and looked down at her. “I said you would notice that. You would notice that we’re being pushed apart especially because you’re the biggest pusher out of all of us. You’re the one pushing us away no matter how hard we try to help you. You tell me to be a man? Be a woman and accept our help and stop running away!” he let out a breath and looked at them all. “I think the road trip is a good idea.”

“I do too,” Joey agreed.

“That’s three against three, what’re your verdicts?” Justin asked.

“How long is the drive?” JC questioned.

“The drive from Lugano, Switzerland to Trier, Germany is…six hours and eight minutes,” Lance replied, looking at a map he suddenly pulled out of his pocket. “But that’s an approximation. Traffic might slow us up.”

JC nodded slowly, weighing everything in his mind. “I’m in,” he finally agreed.

“Me too. It’s an easier way to get on Curly’s nerves,” Chris said with a hint of a smile.

“I guess I’m in too,” Lance sighed.

“Thank you.” Mack let out a breath and smiled. “You won’t regret it, I promise.”

End Notes:
Please leave some love! This story is almost over, but I'm all ready writing the sequel which I hope you guys check out and enjoy as much as this one. The sequel will be titled Something Like You.
A Plane, No Train, and An Automobile Part 2 by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
Do Run Run anyone?

Chapter 33: A Plane, No Train, and An Automobile Part 2

March 1st, 1997

Lugano, Switzerland

10:37 AM

“My gosh. Only one hour on the road and they’re all ready knocked out,” Mack commented, looking in the rearview mirror. Chris turned to his left to see in the backseat and chuckled at the sight. Joey, sitting on the far left of the backseat, had his face pressed up against the window. It looked like it would hurt if he tried to pull away from it. Lance, in the middle, looked like he had been shot by the way he was slumped over, sleeping. Justin had his head resting on Lance’s shoulder so they all looked like Dominos that had just been knocked over.

“And they’re the ones who jumped at the chance to go on this road trip too,” JC commented, looking in the rearview mirror briefly before turning his attention back to the road.

“Don’t fight it, Jace, we needed this road trip,” Mack said as she slumped in her seat and put her knees up against the dashboard. “’Sides, I hate flying.”

JC gave her a funny look. “You hate being stuck in cars for more than an hour. Why in the world did you suggest this?”

She sighed. “I told you, we needed this road trip.” She jumped when she heard a funny noise and looked to her right only to sigh. “Looks like we lost another one,” she commented, noticing that Chris had fallen asleep as well.

“I’m surprise you’re not sleeping,” JC commented. She looked at him. “You barely got any sleep last night from what I heard.”

Mack stared at the side of his face. “You heard? I thought you were asleep.”

“Well, it’s kinda hard to sleep when you hear talking into the night and someone throwing up by your head,” JC replied, briefly looking at her. He quickly returned his eyes to the road to make sure he could see the bus. It was three cars ahead of them but he told himself it was fine as long as he could see it. If not he’d just wake up Lance, the Map Wizard. He let out a slow breath, something was different about his breathing, Mack noted, it was as if his sigh had all of the words in it that he wanted to say that he couldn’t say. She sat there, staring at the black road, waiting. Finally he parted his lips and spoke. “I’ve spent the past three, almost four, years trying to figure you out. Trying to understand why you were so clingy to Justin but hated the next guy who talked to you. Trying to understand what it is that makes you tick so easily. Trying to understand what it is that drives you to your best and I still don’t get it. I still don’t get why you let some people in but you have a brick wall separating the others. Basically, what I want to know is, why do you do the things you do?” Mack didn’t say anything; she just kept looking out the window. “You know I’m not going to stop asking you. You’re, technically, trapped in this car with no way out.” Still she didn’t say anything. “C’mon, Honeybee,” he said softly.

She looked out the window and squinted. “Can we pull over for a bit? Just to stretch? I’m getting cramped next to Octopus Boy over here,” she said, tilting her head in Chris’s direction. JC nodded, took one hand off of the steering wheel and grabbed his phone, quickly dialing a number.

“You shouldn’t use your phone while driving,” Mack chided. He handed the phone to her, putting his hand back on the wheel and she held it up to his ear.

“We’re going to make a pit stop…no, you don’t have to stop, just keep going we need the band to get there before us anyway…we have a map…yes…yes…yes, Johnny!” He tilted his head slightly. Mack pulled his phone away and ended the call. “Goh-lee!” JC muttered under his breath. He made a face and turned to Mack who made a snorting sound and started giggling. Yes, giggling. “What’s so funny?” JC asked, turning the car onto another road and parked it by a picnic table.

“You are!” She replied. “I mean, ‘golly’? Who the heck says that anymore? You’re like an old man!” She continued to laugh as she reached over Chris and shoved the car door open. She started laughing harder when Chris fell out of the car and landed on the pavement with a groan. “That’s why you wear a seatbelt, Gramps!” She joked, jumping out of the car.

“Seatbelts are for youngins,” Chris replied, getting up and stretching. “What about Sleepy, Snoozy, and Dopey?” He questioned, pointing at Joey, Lance, and Justin respectively.

“Leave them,” JC replied, shrugging. “We’re not going to be here for long, just wanted to stretch my legs a bit.”

“Good idea. I’m just going to sit here throwing food at them to see which one wakes up first,” Chris said with an evil look in his eye.

“Ok, but you’re vacuuming it up once we got to Germany,” JC warned. Chris waved his hand, waving away JC’s threat. JC chuckled as he took off his hat, scratched his head, and put it back on backwards, the bill shading his neck from the sun. “Let’s take a walk,” he suggested. Mack nodded and they started walking, where, she didn’t know, but for the first time in a while she was enjoying his company. He didn’t say anything, which was what she needed. She knew, knowing JC, that they wouldn’t leave until he got something out of her.

“Can I ask you something?” Mack finally asked JC. He was sitting on the edge of the parking lot, shoving a grape into his mouth. She was walking along the edge of the parking lot, putting one foot in front of the other like a trapeze artist on a high wire. JC noticed that her feet were perfectly pointed, much like a ballerina. She spun on her toes and turned to face him. “I was talking to Lynn. She was trying to tell me that people break up for a reason, blah blah blah, and she brought up your situation.”

JC froze with a grape halfway to his mouth. Mack smiled a bit at how distinct the gap between his teeth was. “My situation?” he repeated, lowering his hand.

“Yeah.” She dropped down so she was sitting next to him. “You know, about how you were adopted when you were five.”

“Oh, that.” He put the grape back into the bag and sealed it. “What do you want to know?”

“How’d you deal with it? I mean, you were five. I remember a lot of stuff from when I was five. I mean, your mom just left you somewhere.”

“She didn’t just leave me,” JC corrected. He paused and scratched behind his ear. He hadn’t told anyone this story in a while. The guys new, but they only knew bits and pieces of it, not the entire thing. “I was five, I think, more like five and a half when I was adopted,” he started, squinting in the distance as if trying to see his past in front of his face. “My mom, she was, is,  a wonderful woman. She raised me until I was five, I have a very clear idea of what she’s like from being with her so long and, uh, she knew who my mother and father are because she was fostered by them once, actually.” He paused to scratch his ear and clear his throat. “Things with my mom were complicated. We, uh, wow,” he muttered, laughing a bit, scratching his ear again.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t have brought it up,” Mack said, suddenly noticing how uncomfortable he was.

“No, no, it’s ok,” JC said, shaking his head and rubbing the back of his neck. “You want to know and who better to get the actual information from than me, right?” He chuckled a little before the serious look returned to his face. “As I said, things were complicated with my mom. You know, she…that's it. It's like, it's a matter of, we were like, you know, apartment-hopping and homeless from time to time, and you know, and she, it's like ‘He's five years old. This kid needs to be in school. He needs something steady.’ You know, and she, as much as she loved me, had to make the choice of basically separating herself, you know, as the day-to-day mother in order to give me a better life. And I'm thankful for that judgment as well. It means, to me it means that she loved me even more to do that, you know.”

“Yeah,” Mack said, looking at her feet.

JC continued. “Because uh, you know, she had been through a lot in her life at a young age. And um, so that's how I ended up being adopted, is she reached out to the people that she trusted. And um, so that's how I ended up being placed with the family that I'm with. She reached out to them directly, 'cause she had direct contact with them, and they spoke about it, I guess. And um, so that's, you know, everybody's selection process or how they end up with a family is different. So it really…I was really fortunate.” He smiled. “And you know, any time that she wanted to talk or come by or anything like that, the door - it was like an open door policy. Now, every situation is different, obviously, that was just my situation. I've never met my father. Um, I don't know who my father is or anything like that. I mean, it's been offered to actually, you know? My parents said, ‘Do you want to go look for him? We'll help you.’ Everything like that. But I just never, it's just never been something that has kind of like pushed me, I guess, at this point in my life. I'm content knowing my mother and things like that. But you know the people that raised me, my mother and my father, Roy and Karen, are amazing, amazing people. And, you know, Heather and Tyler, and they are my brother and sister. I love them, you know, I would do anything for them; if I needed to I would stand in front of a bus for them. Whatever it is.” He paused. “So, to me, I’m fortunate to know two wonderful, powerful women in my life who both helped me to get the life I deserved.”

Mack nodded and drew her knees up to her chest, looking down at the cement. JC put an arm around her shoulders and gave her a little hug. “My mom and dad…I don’t…” her voice trailed off.

“It’s not the end of the world, Honeybee, that’s one thing I’ve learned,” JC told her. “Your parents are splitting up because they’re not happy with each other. Don’t ever think that it’s your fault, because it’s not. They managed to have a beautiful daughter out of their relationship. It just run it’s course. If they’re going to be happier apart, don’t stop them and don’t get involved, let them work it out for themselves unless it actually concerns you. I know you’re the type of person who tries to please everyone, but you can’t. You can’t please everyone. You can’t help your parents. Only they can turn their relationship around, if they can. You can’t carry the whole world on your shoulders, no matter how strong you are. Justin and the guys, we’re here for you, and we always will be. We won’t ever leave, even when you don’t need us.” He grinned. “We’ll follow you around day and night if we have to.”

“You guys can be my personal bodyguards,” Mack said with a laugh. “Then you can screen-test them so I don’t have to deal with the idiots or the jerks or the pervs.”

“No, you’d just have to deal with a guy who likes sending you things,” JC replied.

Mack stared at him and then it hit her. “Oh, you mean Nick.” He nodded. “He just heard I’m going through shit right now. He gets me, that’s all.”

“And we don’t?”

“No, ‘cause you’re not the youngest and you’re not a girl.”

“Fair point.” He whipped his head around and looked at Chris who was beating his fists against the steering wheel, causing horn blasts to fill the air. The first one made Justin jump so bad he had hit his head on the roof of the car. JC and Mack burst out laughing. “We should go before Justin strangles him.” He stopped her before she could stand. “Remember, you can tell us anything. Even when we’re split up around the world for whatever reason. Even if it’s 3 in the morning, if you need to call me, don’t hesitate. I’ll be by your side in a flash, OK?” He brought his other hand up to her shoulder and pulled her into a hug. She brought her hand up and hugged him around the waist as he kissed her forehead. “See now, that wasn’t hard to hug someone you hate, was it?” He asked with a teasing grin as they stood and walked to the car.

“JC, I never hated you,” Mack said, seriously. He stopped walking and looked back at her. She shoved her hands into her jeans pockets. “I hate who you are, but it’s not because of you. It’s because of my parents. You’re just like my mom and dad combined, so much it’s like you’re their kid, not me.”

“And you thought…” JC stopped as a look of realization crossed his features. “Ooohhhhhh!” Mack made a face. “Come here.” He held out his hand. She glanced back and forth at his hand and his face a few times before reaching out and taking his hand. She was shocked at how soft it was, considering how much he played guitar when he had a chance. “I’m not their son. You’re their daughter and they’re stuck with you. The only thing you can do is make them proud, which you do all ready, ‘cause you make us damn proud.”

“You cursed!” Mack fake gasped. She brought her hand up to her mouth. “Oh my gosh, call the angles of heaven! We have a sinner here!”

“Shuddup!” JC muttered as they approached the car.

“What’s goin’ on?” Justin asked, looking at the two.

“Nothing, we were just talking,” Mack replied.

“Ok, so what’s with that?” He asked nodding.

“What?”

“That.” He reached out, grabbed Mack’s wrist, and lifted her hand, which was still connected to JC’s. He lifted an eyebrow. “Are you two dating or something?”

“Justin, how old am I?” Mack asked.

“Fifteen,” he replied.

“And how old is JC?”

“Twenty.”

“Right, if we were dating, hell if he wanted to kiss me, he’d be sent to jail,” Mack said. A slow evil grin spread across her face. “Which sounds really funny, actually.”

“Get in the car!” JC barked.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

 Trier, Germay

6:12 PM

“How much longer?” Justin whined from the backseat.

“A little less than an hour,” JC replied, glancing at the clock on the dashboard.

“How did a six hour trip turn into a ten hour trip?”

“Your whiney ass turned it into a ten hour trip,” Chris replied. “You had to pee, you were hungry, you wanted to stretch, the car smelled funny, we need more gas, blah blah blah! It’s your fault! Johnny’s going to have our asses!”

“No he won’t,” Mack replied, looking at her nails.

“What do you mean?” Joey asked, leaning forward in his seat.

“I mean I talked to him earlier about this road trip thing. I told him that we may need to take our time to get there. As long as we don’t get in past 7:30 we’re fine, we’ll be there about a quarter ‘till and you’re still going to have an hour before the show.”

“I love you,” Joey sighed, leaning back in his seat.

“That still doesn’t change the fact that I’m bored!” Justin sighed.

“Then let’s play that Do Run game,” JC suggested.

“Wait, let me get my camera!” Joey said as he turned around in his seat.

“Do Run? What kind of game is that?” Mack asked.

“It’s an improve game. What you do is you sing something in tune to the Doo Run Run song. Then the next person has to sing something that rhymes with the last verse,” JC explained. He noticed the confused look on Mack’s face. “Nevermind, we’ll just start it and you can join in if you want. Joey, you start it off.”

“Wait, wait!” Joey fumbled with his camera and the light finally turned on. “Ok.” He paused trying to think of something. He looked down at his camera and grinned. “We’re video taping and it’s really cool!” He sang.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run,” they boys sang in perfect harmony. It still amazed Mack how they could be pitch perfect any time they opened their mouths.

“Joey’s got the camera and he’s actin’ a fool,” Justin sang as he clapped out the beat.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run. Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“Whoops, a little drool,” Chris sang with hand movements.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“Love the movie Back to School,” JC sang, bobbing his head.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“I…don’t know anything else that rhymes with ‘ool’,” Lance said quickly to fit in with the song ‘causing them all to chuckle.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run.”

“See? Want to play now?” JC asked, nudging Mack.

“Ok, ok fine, I’ll play,” she sighed.

They turned to Justin who paused a second to think. His inspiration came from staring at the back of Chris’s head. “Chris has got some new earrings,” Justin chanted.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run.”

“And these are two of my favorite things,” Chris said, stumbling over the words a little bit.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run. Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“I love…Colarado Springs,” Mack managed to get out.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“I want to eat Burger King’s,” JC chirped.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

Joey turned his camera to Lance who struggled to find something to sing. When Joey deemed that Lance was taking too long he sang, “I like When the Bell Rings.”

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run.” Justin pointed at Chris to indicate that it was his turn to start.

“Well Joey’s got the camera with the really bright light,” Chris sang, bouncing in his seat, a large smile on his face.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run.” As they sang Mack waved her hands signaling to skip over to JC.

“And it light’s up the night…s-starlight, so bright!” JC managed. Joey laughed a little.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run. Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“I fight with all my might!” Lance sang proudly.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“I hope I don’t get in a fight,” Joey sang, lamely.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“That light’s super bright,” Justin sang, blocking the camera’s light from his face when Joey turned it to look at him.

““Da doo run run run, da doo run run.”

“Well…we’re passing…past these big whole thangs,” JC sang, rubbing the side of his nose with his finger. He turned and grinned at Chris who started laughing.

“Things?” Lance asked in confusion, clearly not having heard JC.

“Thangs, Lance,” Justin corrected him,

“What rhyes with…? Oh. In a Beetlejuice show Joey wears fangs,” Lance sang happily.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run. Da doo doo doo, yeah,” they sang collectively.

“I like…” Joey paused to think. “Shania Twain!”

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“I’m going insane,” Justin sang, a grin etched on his features.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“Look, a boomerang!” Chris projected.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run.”

“It looks like I’m…lookin’ right into a train,” Lance muttered when Joey turned the camera onto his face.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run.”

“And if you get hit by that you go: ow, pain,” Joey deadpanned.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run. Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“…I’ll leave a stain,” Justin chirped.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“He’s insane in the membrane,” Chris said, pointing at Justin.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

They skipped to JC. “Because…he didn’t drain.” They laughed at his ridiculous answer.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run.”

“We’re drivin’ in the car and we’re reallllyyy….pumpin’!” Joey blurted out.

Justin laughed and then sang in a funny voice, “I’m rollin’ down the street and the music is bumpin’.”

““Da doo run run run, da doo run run. Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“I want to punch sum’in’,” Chris said, turning to Justin.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“Kick a lil’ somethin’, somethin’,” JC sang, nodding his head.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“Yeah, let’s get it crumpin,” Lance slurred, causing them all to laugh out loud, almost not able to finish that round.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run.”

“Who goes?” Joey asked, pointing the camera at his face. Then he realized. “You,” he said pointing at Justin.”

“Mmkayyy,” Justin sighed. “Man that light is…” he paused. “Ooh! All in ma face!”

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run.”

“I think he’s…thinking of a can of mace,” Chris said deadpan.

“Da doo run run run, da doo run run. Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“Hey man, wanna race?” JC asked with a little accent, turning back to look at Lance.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“I’ll try to keep up the pace,” Lance said smoothly.

“Da doo doo doo, yeah.”

“I’ll win first place!” Mack jumped in before the others could say anything.

Joey was about to sing the ending but Justin stopped him. He said to the camera excitedly,. “Let’s get JC on the finale.”

They all sang the intro, “A doo run run run, a doo run…”

JC took in a deep breath. “RUUUUUUUUUUN!” He screamed, causing all of them to burst into laughter.

“Geeze, you guys are going to kill me one day,” Mack mused, holding her aching abs.

“Oh, that’s good, we know how to kill her before she kills us,” Chris said as he stretched. They all laughed.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Oh my god, I’m beat,” Mack mumbled, flopping onto the couch of the bus later that night. They managed to get to the venue on time and even managed to have time to get a little soundcheck in before changing their clothes and getting their minds set on the show. Now that they were able to add more songs to their set the boys seemed to have more energy once the show was over, tired energy that is.

“You? You didn’t even do anything,” Chris pointed out, passing by her to sit down at the kitchen table.

“I had to put up with your sorry asses all day. That’s doing enough,” she replied taking out her phone as the rest of the guys passed by her.

“I call first shower,” JC announced as Joey, Lance, and Justin went to the back sitting area. She then noticed she had a message.

“Hey Shrimp, it’s Trace. Just wanted to see how you’re doing. Lynn got home safely and she said today was your first day of the new tour and I wanted to make sure you survived. Call me back whenever. I miss you. Tell J I said what’s up. See ya.”

“Who’s he callin’ shrimp? He’s barely taller than me,” she muttered to herself, shaking her head.

“Here you go, Little Lady,” Johnny said, stepping onto the bus. She looked up and saw him holding out another CD case. “Looks like someone is fond of you,” he said in a teasing tone with a wink.

“Don’t even start, Johnny, I get a lot of flak from these guys all ready,” Mack said as she took the CD from him.

“What is going on between you two?” Johnny questioned.

“Absolutely nothing,” Mack replied, looking him dead in the eye.

“It doesn’t seem that way from the other end. He talks about you all of the time from what I hear. AJ can’t get him to shut up,” Johnny reported.

“Well, I am that awesome.” Johnny laughed and turned to get off the bus to make sure they had everything they needed. Her phone vibrated in her hand and she looked down to see who was calling. “You must’ve known my phone was in my hand,” she commented, ignoring Chris who was pretending to read a magazine but was staring at her over the top of the pages.

“No, I just have good timing,” Nick replied, a smile in his voice. “So what’s up? Their tour started today, didn’t it? How’d it go?”

“Really well. We were allowed to put more songs in so they experienced a longer set but I’m sure they loved it.” She flipped Chris off who lowered his magazine and stuck out his tongue. He grabbed a pen and started writing something on the little card in the magazine.

“Hey, they get more of a rush,” Nick said. “They’ll love the feeling.”

“I’ll bet. So what’s going on with you?”

“Well, we finally made it back home.”

“No fair. You’re back in the States?” Mack couldn’t hide the longing in her voice. She really wished she could go back to Orlando, hit the beach and the ice cream parlor without having to worry about getting her hair ripped out only ‘cause she knew ‘N Sync.

“Yeah, we got back earlier today. It’s funny, I missed the smell of Orlando.”

“Orlando has a smell?” Mack asked in amusement.

Nick laughed. “Yeah. I know it sounds crazy but it smells like oranges and, um…”

“And what?”

“You’re going to laugh at me,” he said in a small, kid-like voice. She couldn’t help but smile at the voice.

“No, no, tell me. I won’t laugh, I promise.”

“To me, it smells like…like, magic,” he muttered as if embarrassed. “I know it doesn’t make sense but that’s what it smells like to me.”

“I think I get what you mean,” Mack said, noticing Chris waving the card out of the corner of her eye. She glanced at it and snorted. Written in big, bold letters was: U R A TRAY-TOR!! “Hey Nick, I am going to have to call you back. I need to kill a certain Kirkpatrick.”

“Ok, call me tomorrow?”

“Yeah, but there’s a chance I might screw up the time difference, though.”

“Oh that’s ok, talk to you later. Bye.”

“Bye.” Mack hung up the phone and looked at Chris. “What is your problem? Ce qui dans le monde que j'ai fait pour que vous m'appelez un traître?”

“Uhh…I caught the part with the traitre,” Chris said with a heavy, fake, French accent.

Mack sighed. “Why are you calling me a traitor?”

“Because you’re in cahoots with Pretty Boy of the Backstreet Boys!” he replied, pointing an accusing finger at her.

“Cahoots?” Mack repeated. “Grow up, Chris. Nick and I understand each other, that’s all.” She grabbed her phone. “I’m going to call Trace now if you want to say something about him.” Chris didn’t respond, he just walked to the back of the bus, grumbling under his breath as the bus shuddered and the engine roared, signaling that they were finally starting their leave. She glanced at her watch trying to figure out what time it was. It was about ten there…so it was only 3 PM back in Tennessee. She pressed 3 on speed dial and waited for Trace to pick up.

“Hey Shrimp,” Trace greeted her.

“You’re not the much taller than me, Trace,” Mack sighed.

“Four inches taller, baby, makes all the difference,” he boasted.

“Yeah, whatever Tray.” She rolled her eyes. “So what’s up?”

“Just wanted to see how you were doing and wanted to make sure you didn’t kill Justin.”

“Not yet, but that doesn’t mean I won’t do it later,” she replied, tugging at the end of a blue strand of hair and frowning at it. “I think I called about when school’s over, right? How’s that going?”

“It’s boring without you guys here. Oh, I didn’t tell you, Rachael transferred over to our school.”

Mack smiled. Trace still referred to the town’s high school as ‘ours’ ‘cause he still couldn’t let go that Justin and Mack weren’t with him. “She did? When’d that happen?”

“This year. I’m so glad I know another Sophomore. I swear I was about to go crazy. Everyone I met couldn’t put up with me. Not like you guys, at least. It’s good that she’s J’s cousin or I would’ve driven her crazy by now.”

“Yeah, I’ll bet,” Mack laughed. “Hey, when’s your Spring Break? That’s coming up soon, right?”

“Yeah, in April. Let me check my calendar.” Mack waited as she heard him moving things off of his desk. She laughed, remembering how cluttered his desk was. It was his junk desk, he just threw things onto it whenever he didn’t want to deal with anything. “Umm, our Spring break is from the 6th to the 16th.”

“No way,” Mack muttered.

“I’m looking at it right here.”

“That’s when we finally get a break. That same week. We can finally go home.” Mack was excited now. She sat up on the couch and started bouncing in excitement.

“Really?” Trace asked.

“Yeah! Man, I can’t wait to get back. I miss my bed and the pier and the beach and Disney and–”

“Wait.” Something in Trace’s voice made her stop. “When you said ‘home’ you meant Orlando?”

“Yeah,” she replied. Trace sighed. “What?” She asked, worried.

“Mack, I think…I think you should come home. Your real home. Memphis, home. You haven’t been back in so long and–”

“There’s a reason for that,” Mack interrupted him. “Is my mother there? In Memphis?”

“Yes,” Trace admitted. “But, Mack, before you say no, please just hear me out.” She sighed. “You need to come back. I feel…you lost the Southern in you. You’re not the same Southern Girl as you were before. You need to come back and…find who you are.”

“I know who I am, Trace,” she said.

“Do you? Somehow I think everything you’ve done up until now has been a façade. You don’t have to be someone else around me.” He sighed. “Please? I’m not asking just for me. I’m asking for Lynn and for Momma and for your mother. Please, come home. Your mother needs you.”

“Needs me for what?”

Trace hesitated. “I can’t say, that’s between you and her. Bluebelle needs you too.”

Mack’s heart lurched. “How is Bluebelle?” She whispered.

“She’s not doing so good since you’ve been gone,” Trace admitted. “We need you here to help us figure out what’s wrong. You’re the only one who can get her to calm down and do what we need her to do. Please come back for Bluebelle, for your mother, for me. Please. I…I really miss you.”

Mack sighed and closed her eyes. Don’t make me regret this, Lord. “Fine.”

“You…you’ll come home?” Trace asked.

“Yes Trace.” She beamed. “I’ll come home.”

 

 

 

End Notes:

As I said in the last chapter, this story isn't going on much longer. In fact, if all goes according to plan and I don't have to split chapters up, there will be two more chapters left and this story is finished and then I'll work on the sequel called Something Like You.

It's hard to beleive that only a year ago I was working on this story and now this section of Mack's story is coming to an end. But don't worry, the sequel will be just as drama filled as this one, if not more, and those unanswered questions will be answered as well as new questions arriving. Please leave some love, I like to know what you think.

Also, a note: the part where JC is talking about his mother and being adopted are not my words. It's from an interview I read online. You can read it (and hear it) here: http://jjb.yuku.com/topic/235894/t/JC-talked-about-being-homeless-as-a-kid-and-his-adoption.html

Memphis Soul by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
Note: this chapter hasn't been proofread, I'm too excited to proof read it. I'll go back. Anyway, here's the second to last chapter. Next chapter is the last one before I work on the sequel. Enjoy ^_^

Chapter 34: Memphis Soul

April 6-16th, 1997

(Spring Break)

The I Want You Back Tour was a big success for a the boys, a little bit too big. Every where they went somehow the fans figured out where they were and bombarded them. Of course the boys were nice about it, signed every autograph, took every picture, and accepted every gif. The boys appreciated the fact that their fans took the time to make the guys feel good and tell them that they cared and treated them like people. Well, more like Gods than people, but they appreciated it anyway. And they never let it get to their heads.

Mack, on the other hand, thought that she had slipped under the radar. The fans, they hadn’t known she was there for support, to be somewhat of their daily manager (face it they wouldn’t get where they needed to be on time if it weren’t for her), and their choreographer. Somehow, someway, they found out, and the next thing she knew she was also being chased down streets begging for information about the guys. Some magazines even caught wind that she was their choreographer and asked for some interviews, which the guys, Johnny, and Lou all suggested. Some of the articles went the wrong way, usually turning into a gossip article wondering which one she was dating. They laughed about; she was appalled and disgusted (“why would I date one of you guys?”). Add on the pressure that Johnny and Lou were putting on her to accept a recording contract, and she was about ready for the tour to be over and vacation to start.

It didn’t come fast enough for all of them. By the time it was the end of the tour Chris was about ready to throw himself off of the bus just to get to the airport faster. If he had the power to speed up time they were sure he’d do that as well.

She was still iffy about going back home, to Memphis of all places. She hasn’t been there in years. No one knew the real reason why she stayed away, they just assumed now it was because her mother had moved back there with her new boyfriend while working out divorce with her dad.

That was far from the truth.

“I still don’t get why you’re not coming back with me,” Mack said as she watched Justin grab a t-shirt off of the floor of his hotel room. He stared at it, brought it up to his nose, and sniffed. Mack made a face when he pulled off the shirt he was wearing and put on the shirt that was in his hands. “That’s so gross,” she muttered.

Justin just shrugged and smiled. “And I told you, I want to spend some time with Ronnie,” he said, continuing to fold his clothes and put them in his suitcase.

“You always see her, though,” she whined.

“You know very well that I don’t always see her, ‘cause I’m always with you,” he pointed out.

“Is that a bad thing?”

Justin stopped what he was doing and looked at her when he heard that tone in her voice. She was looking at him as if she was about ready to cry. What the hell did she and Jace talk about? She’s more emotional than usual. “Of course it’s not a bad thing, I love spending time with you,” he said gently. “I just need to see her. I miss her and I need to see if she missed me too.” He closed his eyes. He hadn’t meant to spill his insecurity, but when it came to Ronnie he just couldn’t help it.

“Memphis won’t be the same without you,” Mack said, picking at her nails. “Nor Jace. The one time I finally go back you two decide to go on a romantic vacation to whisk away your lady loves.” She rolled her eyes.

“You’ll understand when you’re older,” Justin advised.

“Who are you, Trace? I’m not that much younger than you.”

“You’re acting like it right now.” Justin grinned. “Speaking of, I think…I think you should give Trace a chance.” Mack looked at him in confusion. He sat down on the end of the bed, taking her hand in his. “Trace really cares about you. I know I was stupid before, ruining your ‘first date’ and all, but I finally get it. Give Trace a chance, he’ll make you happy, I assure you.”

“It’s not that simple, Juppy.”

“Yes it is, you’re afraid he’ll walk out on you. That’s what you think Ms. Charlotte and Philippe did. We haven’t walked out on you. You have to stop being so afraid of love, Mackie.”

“Don’t call me that,” she said making a face. “It gets on my nerves.”

“Oh, I know,” Justin beamed, jumping up. He grabbed another t-shirt off of the floor and shoved it into his suitcase. He then noticed that Mack was starting hard at the pile of clothes in his suitcase. He laughed, “have at it.”

Thank you!” Mack grabbed the suitcase and dumped it over, letting all of the clothes fall to the floor before she grabbed a shirt and folded it. “I don’t know why you bother if you know I’m going to refold them.”

“I just like seeing your weird OCD,” he replied. “You’ll have fun in Memphis without me. You can show Chris, Lance, and Joey the General Store and the lake and the park and all that fun stuff. Don’t forget to hit up Beale Street; the guys will flip when they see it.”

“I won’t. It may have been years since I’ve last been there but that doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten everything about it,” Mack said with an eyeroll.

“It seemed like you were trying to,” Justin said honestly. “You’ve spent more time in Canada than you did Tennessee.”

“I have grandparents in Montreal,” she pointed out.

“And your Dad’s parents are in Memphis, missing you a lot, might I add.” Justin picked up an article of clothing off of the floor. “You’re not going to regret it.”

“Uh huh.” Mack’s eyebrows became one when she noticed the tight hold Justin had on the clothing. “Hey J?”

“Yeah?” He looked at her.

“Let go of my bra.”

He looked at his hand and quickly dropped the bra as if he had been scalded by hot water. Mack cracked up.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Wow, it feels like I walked into a wall of heat,” Chris commented as they stepped out of the airport.

“I told you that you shouldn’t wear black,” Mack said as she shook her head.

“So who’s picking us up?” Joey asked, lowering the brim of his cap.

“My momma,” Mack replied, sitting down on the lid of her suitcase and looked at her watch. “She should’ve been here  a half hour ago.”

“Maybe there’s traffic,” Lance suggested.

Mack didn’t say anything; she just got off her suitcase and started to dig through it. She successfully found the blue bandana she was looking for. She tied it around her forehead to keep the sweat out of her eyes and put her cap back on her head. She needed a distraction before she said something she would regret later.

A sharp honk grabbed their attention and they turned around. “I’m finally here, sweetie!” Charlotte yelled from the driver’s side of the car.

“Sacrebleu,” Mack muttered, lightly slapping her face with her hand. “Tell me she didn’t just do that.”

“She didn’t just do that,” Joey chirped, lightly patting her on the shoulder.

Mack rolled her eyes and finally got a good look at the car. Her mouth fell open and she rushed to the passenger side door, staring at the seats, the leather interior, the wheels, everything. “Momma…where’d you get this car?” She gasped starting at the red and white 1963 Chevrolet Impala Convertible.

“Well, you know Mike. My, uh, new boyfriend,” Charlotte said as she adjusted the red bandana that covered her jet black hair. “He was driving back one day and he found it sitting in someone’s yard for sale. It was in pretty bad shape so it was kind of cheap but he bought it anyway, always said he wanted to fix up a car. So, he spent the last three months buying parts, changing parts, fixing and washing the car. And here it is.” She spread her arms as if saying ‘tada’.

“It looks so new,” Joey said as he opened the trunk and started putting their suitcases into it.

“Mike did a good job,” Mack muttered, lightly touching the sleek side of the car, not taking her eyes off of it. “So when am I going to meet this Mike?” She asked.

“As soon as we get home, so get in.” Charlotte leaned over and opened the door. Mack brought forward the seatback and stepped back to let the boys into the back. Charlotte smoothly pulled the car forward and Mack was amazed at how it practically glided down the street and onto the highway.

As they got closer and closer to Memphis and to her old home the smile on Mack’s face got bigger. She looked around at everything they passed as if she hadn’t been there before, everything felt so new yet memorable at the same time.

“So, you guys are going to be staying at Lynn’s place,” Mack said over the roar of the wind as they turned down a street lined with trees. “Only ‘cause there’s not enough space at my house. Justin lives a few houses down and Trace is on another street but it’s close by. Rachael, Justin’s cousin, lives on the same street as Trace.”

“Wow, they weren’t kidding when they said that families basically live in the same place,” Joey commented.

Mack smiled, leaned back, and stretched. She remembered all of the times they drove down the road, the sun trying to peek through the trees that lined the streets. She waved to a couple of kids that were playing in the front yard, running around in their sprinklers or playing with their puppies. They waved back energetically before going back to what they were doing as if they hadn’t been interrupted.

“Well, this is it,” Mack said as they pulled into the driveway. Joey, Lance, and Chris sat up straighter in their seats and took in the house. The house was white, a Ranch Victorian style with a large wraparound porch. Charlotte passed through the small gates in front of the house and drove up to the side of the house where the garage was. They all got out of the cars and started to take out their suitcases when the screen door opened with a creak.

“It’s about time you get here!” Trace commented as he stepped onto the porch. A smaller girl stepped out onto the porch next to him; her hands shoved into her jeans pockets. Her dark brown hair fell a little past her shoulders and the bangs fell into her honey-brown eyes. “Rachael here was starting to drive me crazy wondering when you would get here,” he complained in his southern drawl.

“Surrre, Trace it was all me,” Rachael said with an eye roll as she walked over to Mack. “Really it was him, he just wanted to make sure he kept his image,” she whispered.

“I kinda figured,” Mack laughed. “So how have you been? Trace said you transferred to Craigmont High.”

“Yup, Memphis Central wasn’t really doing it for me so I figured ‘why not bother Trace for the next four years’?” She laughed and looked at the guys who were pulling their suitcases out of the car. “Ohh, those are J’s bandmates, right?”

“Yeah, I’ll introduce you,” Mack said, pulling her over to the guys. “Guys, this is Justin’s cousin Rachael. Rachael that’s Joey, Lance, and Chris,” she said pointing at each person.

“Hi,” she said with a wave.

“How you doin’, little lady?” Joey asked, a southern accent suddenly finding its way into his voice.

“I’m good,” Rachael laughed. She turned to Mack. “He watches Friends doesn’t he?”

“We all do. It’s kinda like a tradition for us whenever it comes on,” Mack replied. “And that’s a horrible accent, Joe,” she added, grabbing her suitcase. “How long have you two been stationed in my house?”

“Since Ms. Charlotte left for the airport. We figured you’d be back an hour ago,” Rachael replied as they walked towards the stairs of the house. She lowered her voice. “Trace was pacing the entire time, glancing at his watch and growling under his breath. He’s likin’ you somethin’ fierce.”

“You’re not the first to tell me that,” Mack replied, walking up the mini set of stairs and stopped by the side door. She put her suitcase down and walked the few short steps over to Trace. “Hey Midget,” she said with a tiny smile.

“You do know that I’m taller than you right,” he asked, laughing a little.

“Yeah, but Midget is a much better name for you than it is for me,” she responded.

“Will you two hug all ready?” Rachael demanded from the passenger seat of the Chevy. “We have some sights to see!”

Trace laughed. “Gotta do what the lady says.” He held out his arms and stepped towards her, engulfing her in a hug. He rested his chin on her shoulder and held her tight. He let out a slow breath and closed his eyes when he felt her hugging him back. She rested her forehead on his shoulder and took in his cologne as her thoughts raced.

Holy hell, when did he get muscles? I can feel it every time he moves slightly. He’s been working out. And his cologne smells amazing. I wonder where he got it. And since when was his southern drawl cute? Gahh, Mack stop acting like some freakin’ hormonal maniac. It’s just Trace of all people!

“Come on!” Rachael yelled.

Trace smiled shyly at her. “Ladies first.”

“Sweetie, I need you to be back by six,” Charlotte called from the porch.

“But Momma! I was going to go to the Horse Pen later!” Mack said as she turned to look at Charlotte.

“I would like to talk about the opportunities that you’ve been given,” Charlotte replied in a stern tone. Mack opened her mouth to argue but Charlotte stopped her by lifting her hand. “Six o’clock.”

Fine,” she muttered begrudgingly, moving over to the car. Charlotte waved as the six teens jumped into the car, Trace at the steering wheel. She watched as they backed out and drove back down the street.

“I thought we were going to talk about it once she got here,” Mike commented, stepping out of the house and wrapping his arms around Charlotte’s waist.

“I wanted to. But…I know my daughter, she needs some time. This…it’s going to put her in a different head space and I’d rather she know about it at the end of the day so she can sleep on it and not suffer from Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome.”

“Ah, yes, FIMS. That must run in your family,” Mike said with a laugh. “You’ve suffered from FIMS a few times yourself.”

“Don’t remind me,” Charlotte said as she rolled her eyes.

“Hey, it trapped me, didn’t it?”

“And you’re here to stay?” Charlotte closed her eyes. She hated sounding like a little kid.

“Yes, babe, I’m here to stay.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Mack, slow down.”

“Yeah, wait for us!”

Mack laughed as she slowed down and turned to face everyone else. “Why don’t you slowpokes hurry up?” She shouted back, putting her hands on her hips.

“No one has short legs to walk as fast as you, Speed Demon,” Chris shot back.

“You’re closer to the ground then rest of these people,” Mack pointed out.

“And you would know that, Smurfette,” Chris said, marching right up to her. “How’s the view down there?” He yelled at her. She playfully shoved him before dashing into the ice cream store that they finally arrived at.

“Huh,” Lance muttered, following them inside.

“What’s up?” Joey asked, turning to his friend, looking around at the ice cream shop.

“This is the happiest I’ve ever seen her,” Lance replied, tilting his head a bit. He could feel Joey looking at him in disbelief. “I’m not saying it’s the happiest she’s been ever, I’m just saying I’ve never seen her this happy. Look at her, her eyes are brighter, her smile reaches her eyes, and she’s more animated and more open. This is a totally 180 from what she was like in Europe.”

“Maybe she was a little homesick,” Joey said, shrugging.

“No, I don’t think that was it,” he replied, rubbing his chin. “It’s something else.” He called to Mack, letting her know that they’d get a table while they put in their orders, and dragged Joey over to a table, sitting down across from him.

“Since when did you get all detective on us?” Joey asked, lifting an eyebrow.

“I’m not being a detective, I’ve just been very observant and noticing things you guys haven’t,” Lance replied.

“Really? ‘Cause last I checked I was the only one who’s noticed that she’s a girl,” Joey replied evenly. “Don’t say I don’t notice things.”

“Fair enough.” Lance sighed. He waved his arm, motioning Joey to lean forward across the table. “Here are the things I’ve noticed: 1) whenever any of us asked her about something in her past she would utter, like, four sentences then completely shut down, not talking until the subject was changed.” Joey thought back to all of the times they would just be going around talking about how they acted in their past and the numerous stupid things they’ve done (for example, JC jumping off the roof of a two story building) and suddenly realized that Lance was right. Lance continued. “2) she became extremely clingy to Justin while overseas yet once we get here she doesn’t seem to care what he’s doing at all, as if he’s been wiped from her mind. 3) She became quick to anger, sometimes even being hostile, especially whenever her parents were involved. However, as soon as Miss Charlotte picks us up they’re civil to each other when, before, Mack snapped at her and disrespected her. And lastly, the one thing that really grabbed my attention is that she freaks out and seems to pull into herself whenever Lou is around.”

“I’ve noticed that too,” Joey whispered. “But I thought I was seeing things so I didn’t say anything.”

“Same here,” Lance sighed. “She’s been telling me how she hates Lou.”

“I know, she keeps saying how he’s too helpful and a little too smiley. I just thought it was because she had a thing against people being too perky but it’s just him,” Joey agreed. “In a way…she’s acting like a kid in trouble with a parent.”

“I was thinking the same thing,” Lance agreed. “But…something’s amiss about it. It’s a little…off.”

“Yeah.” Joey looked up and quickly dragged his finger across his throat, signaling to cut the conversation. He looked up as the others joined them and gave them their ice cream.

“Chris…what is that?” Lance asked, staring at the mountain of ice cream that was in his bowl. It looked more like a disgusting blend of something someone threw up.

“That’s the special for the week,” Mack explained.

“What makes it special?”

“You don’t want to know.”

“I’ll take your word for it.” Lance lifted the spoon of his Cookie Dough ice cream into his mouth and smiled at the taste. “So, where to next on the grand tour?” He asked, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

“The General Store, then the horse pen, then Beale Street,” Rachael replied. “You’ll absolutely love Beale Street. The music is amazing and the atmosphere is so relaxed the time will fly by and you won’t even know it. The food is great too and there’s no hostility in the air, no arguments about what music is better because we’re all sharing the bond that music brings.”

“You sound like you’re in a fairy tale,” Mack commented, making a face before trying to dig out a strawberry chunk in her ice cream.

Rachael merely let it slid off her back. “I’m not the only one who’s living a fairy tale from what I’ve heard.” Mack looked up at her but didn’t stop shoving her spoon into the ice cream to wrestle out the chunk of fruit. “Word on the grapevine is that you’re getting pretty close with a certain blond haired singer that goes by the name of Nick Carter.”

“Since when is my personal life any of your business?” Mack asked, stuffing the strawberry into her mouth and chewing.

“When it comes to someone I know dating someone famous, it’s always my business,” Rachael replied with a laugh.

“Who said anything about me dating him? Better yet, who said anything in the first place?” She stared hard at Lance, Joey, and Chris who were sitting on the other side of the table. They looked away from her and turned their attention down at their bowls.

“Calm the interrogation act, girl, Justin called me,” Rachael told her. “So, how’d you meet this knight in shining armor? He has to be something special to get past your wall.”

“Rachael, shut up!” Mack hissed through clenched teeth. She could feel Trace tensing up beside her.

“What? What did I say?” She asked innocently.

“Nothing,” Mack sighed. “Let’s just go.”

“Ok, fine.” They gathered up their things, threw away the empty bowls and left the store to walk back to the car. Rachael hooked her arm with Mack’s and slowed them down so they were walking behind the guys. “I was just poking fun at you, I didn’t think it’d make Trace this upset.”

“Yeah, suurrrree you didn’t.” Mack rolled her eyes.

“I didn’t!” Rachael insisted. “Honest. I mean, I knew he liked you but I thought that he knew you didn’t feel the same way for him.” She paused. “Unless you do feel the same way…”

Mack slowly shook her head. “That’s the problem, I don’t know if I do and I don’t know if I wan to risk it.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean what if we do get together? What happens after that? One day we could be fine and the next he could be breaking up with me for some ridiculous reason. I mean, I work for these guys and I don’t know how long I will. I told myself as long as they need me I’ll be there for them, no matter what it is which means I might have to drop everything at a phone call and rush out to help them. And I have a potential job choreographing for the Backstreet Boys lined up and a movie offer I might take and a recording contract I might take.”

“Wait a minute. Pause, rewind,” Rachael said, pushing imaginary buttons in the air. “You’re only fifteen and you have four different jobs that are being handed to you and you don’t know which one you’re going to take?”

“Exactly,” Mack replied, nodding. “I wasn’t going to say anything about it unless I knew what I wanted to do but I’m still stuck. That’s everything I’ve always wanted to do and they’re all being offered to me but…I don’t know, I can’t help feeling that somehow, somewhere down the road, it’s going to be a bad decision.”

“Annnnd…you don’t want to get with Trace because of it?” Rachael asked.

“No, I don’t want to get with Trace because it’s an easy way out,” Mack replied honestly.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Are you sure you guys don’t want to ride?” Mack called, steadying her horse, Bluebelle. Bluebelle was a pure white horse with a blond mane. The only other color on it was the grayish blue mark on her nose. Rachael sat on her horse next to Mack, a brown and white mixed horse named Mixer respectively.

“I like having my feet on the ground,” Chris called back.

“Suit yourself.” Mack shrugged and urged Bluebelle forward, Rachael followed at her side. They took off down the marked trail, wind rushing by their ears and creating a whistling sound. Mack smiled at the familiar rocking as she urged Bluebelle to move faster down the trail. She couldn’t describe how good it felt to be back on a horse after abandoning riding for years, it was as if she had never left Memphis at all.

“Race you!” Rachael shouted as Mixer took off ahead.

“Cheater!” Mack shouted, racing after her.

“Loser!” She yelled over her shoulder.

Mack laughed out loud, one of her genuine laughs that hurt her abs when she was done, and the part that surprised her was that she was laughing with Rachael and the fact that she hadn’t laughed that hard in so long. She and Rachael weren’t friends while they grew up; Rachael was one of those types of girls that followed their mothers to become a southern belle. Mack stayed away from them as if they were the plague and she never thought she’d befriend them. Yet Rachael was different now, she was more like Mack…but still girly, just not as much. Maybe it was that she was related to Justin she was fine being around her…

They pulled up at the creek that intersected the trail and jumped off their horses. Making sure they were tied up a bit the girls waded into the creek and sat on a big rock. “Explain this to me again,” Rachael finally spoke up.

Mack sighed. “I’m ‘N Sync’s choreographer. The only time I have to do my job, really, is before a single gets released on video or before a tour. Otherwise I don’t do anything and I get paid per show. While in Europe with the guys I was forced to open for them, to sing a few songs while they got ready. Apparently I did so well that Transcon Records offered me a recording contract. At the same time Momma came to Germany or Sweden or wherever the fuck we were and said that I had a chance to audition for a Titanic movie that’s going into production soon. Then once in Germany while we were having dinner with the Backstreet Boys Lou suddenly brought up the idea of me choreographing for them to make my resume bigger ‘cause I all ready have choreographing for my boys on it but I also have choreographing for some kids here, some kids in Orlando, and winning competitions and stuff. The problem is, while this was happening, I was thinking of coming back to school for a while and leave the hustle and bustle of the entertainment industry.”

“Hell no!” Rachael cried out. “You’re not giving up a fabulous life for Memphis. I love it and all, but you don’t belong in this small town. We all know that, you know that. You can always come back here and find yourself and all that jazz but you, girl, belong in the big world.”

“And you’re dumber than a stump,” Mack responded. “Rach, I didn’t want to do any of that stuff until it’s recently been offered and I don’t like doing things unless I have a passion for it, like dancing.”

“But Mack, think of it this way,” Rachael reasoned. “You said yourself that you only choreograph for a certain amount of time, right? While you’re waiting for another choreography job for either groups you could try your hand at acting or record a CD. Didn’t you say that your friend Britney is starting to record? You’re the same age and opportunities like this come once in a life time. Take it from me, we Memphians”––Mack laughed––“may leave but we always remember where we came from. And don’t forget this, we don’t have a Beale Street for nothing.” She glanced at her watch. “We should get back before the guys worry.”

Mack nodded and the two quickly pulled their shoes back onto their feet and got up onto their horses, turning them to head back up the trail. A thought suddenly struck her. “Hey Rach…when Trace called me to tell me to come home he said my mom needed me. Do you know why?”

Rachael glanced at her and shook her head. “No clue,” she replied. “Even if I did it wouldn’t be my place to tell you, now is it?” She looked ahead. “Do you want to race back?”

“No, I’m going to take my time,” Mack replied. Rachael nodded and took off ahead of her, the thundering sound of footsteps fading into the distance. All at once the silence crashed around her as thoughts shot around in her brain as if shot out of a cannon. The words that Lance had said wouldn’t leave her mind.

“Mack snapped at her and disrespected her…”

“Your parents are splitting up because they’re not happy with each other. Don’t ever think that it’s your fault, because it’s not.”

“You’re the one pushing us away no matter how hard we try to help you. You tell me to be a man? Be a woman and accept our help and stop running away!”

“You can’t just keep avoiding this…”

“Are you sure you’re ok?”

“Why’re you cryin’, Dimples?”

“You downplaying them isn’t going to make them go away you know.”

“You have this wall protected around you that you won’t let anyone in.”

“Do you always run away from your problems or do you just have a confrontation problem?”

“I told you I came to talk. I don’t understand why you’re making this so difficult.”

“I didn’t want us to end up this way.”

“What’s going on? You’re easily irritated, I know that, but lately you’ve been irate. You blow up at the smallest things like Chris not screwing the top of a milk container on all the way.”

“He’s just worried, we all are.”

Bluebelle’s soft whinny pulled her back to the present. She looked up through blurred eyes and saw that she was close to the stables. Her eyes darted around rapidly, making sure Rachael wasn’t there. She wasn’t but she could hear their voices nearby, waiting for her. She led Bluebelle into the stables and slid off her back. She dropped to the ground but held onto Bluebelle to make sure she didn’t fall over because she was shaking so much. Bluebelle gently nudged her with her nose and Mack sniffed.

“Thanks, Belle,” she muttered. She hastily wiped her eyes and made sure Bluebelle was in her stable the entire way before closing the gate so she wouldn’t get out and started brushing her hair coat. She tried to get her tears under control but the more the silence surrounded her the harder the tears fell as thoughts slammed into every corner of her brain. One seemed to scream louder above the others.

Be a woman and accept our help and stop running away!”

Mack shook her head and threw down her brush. She felt everything drain from her except for a feeling of regret. The entire time they were there for her and she’s been pushing and shoving them away when she really did need them.

“Sorry I’m leavin’ early, Belle, but…I gotta make things right.” She patted Bluebelle on the nose, quickly opened her stable door, and closed it and locked it. Once making sure the lock was latched, she ran out of the stables and followed the voices of her friends to the watching area.

“Mack? What’s wrong?” Lance asked, noticing her running towards them. She didn’t respond but threw her arms around his neck and buried her face in his shirt. His eyebrows knitted together in confusion but he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tight as she continued to sob. Joey and Chris moved closer, gently putting their hands on her shoulders which shook as she sobbed. A sudden warm feeling washed over her and she felt at peace. ‘Huh, so that’s where that term came from,’ she thought with a smile. “What’s wrong?” Lance repeated.

“Nothing now,” Mack replied sincerely.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Hey Mack, look what Sadie sent over,” Charlotte said as she walked into the kitchen one night with a pie tin in her hands. Mack looked up from the cards that were in her hands and beamed.

“Pecan pie!” she cheered, tossing down her cards, face down. “The game’s on hold, we’re eating pie,” she announced, reaching out for the pan. Once she had it in her grasp she ripped off the foil and took a deep breath in through her nose, inhaling the sent with closed eyes. “Mmmmm, it’s been ages since I’ve eaten this. The wait better have been worth it!” She handed it back to her mother who took it to the stove to cut.

“I swear you’re addicted to that stuff,” Trace commented, putting down his cards and leaning back in his chair to stretch.

“I don’t blame her. No one can beat Grammaw Sadie’s Picture-Perfect Pecan Pie,” Rachael said proudly as she collected their playing cards.

“Do we get ice cream with that?” Chris asked.

“If you go to the freezer and get it yourself,” Mack replied, taking the deck and started to make a card castle with it.

“Fine, I will,” Chris said as he stood.

“I can get it for you,” Mike said from his spot at the kitchen table. He had been silent the entire time since they started playing their card game, only speaking up whenever he tried to help them figure out who won the hand at poker.

Mack thought he was an odd guy at first, very quiet but he was very intelligent and easy going. He was the type of person who would go with the flow, she could tell all ready. He didn’t seem to mind when she and her friends practically invaded her house and caused a lot of noise. He actually joined in and seemed interested in whatever they talked about be it something in the news or something ridiculously stupid (courtesy of Chris). Mack couldn’t say that she like him but she thought he was interesting.

“Let Chris get it, he’s too lazy all ready,” Mack said, focusing on her castle. Chris got up and intentionally shoved his chair into the table. She stared at her card castle in shock as it fluttered to the table. “You did that on purpose!”

“No shit,” Chris responded, going to the freezer.

“Ugh, fun ruiner,” she muttered under her breath, reaching for her cards once more. Trace suddenly shot out his hand and grabbed hers, stopping her from setting the cards up again.

“I need to talk to you,” he said, standing, not letting go of her hand. She dropped the cards she was holding and allowed him to pull her into the living room. He looked over his shoulder to make sure they were alone before speaking. “I, uh, can’t believe Spring Break’s almost over all ready,” he started, shifting his weight from foot to foot. “It went by too quickly.”

“You can say that again, I didn’t even get to do everything on my list,” Mack agreed with a small smile.

“What didn’t you do? We did practically everything we used to do,” Trace said, tilting his head slightly.

“Yeah, but we didn’t go creek stomping like we used to when Justin was here. Nor did we explore the caves and I didn’t get a chance to see the Gregory twins. How old are they now? Seven? Time flies.”

“Yeah, it sure does, you’ll be sixteen soon. Did you ask for a car?”

“The one thing I want I can’t get from my parents or in a box or anything.”

“Oh?” Trace lifted his eyebrows. “What is it?”

“I can’t tell, I’d rather stay surprised,” Mack replied. “Now what was it that you wanted to talk about because you can’t beat around the bush around me?”

Trace sighed. “Rachael told me about your job opportunities and how you said you would rather go to school. I just wanted to say whatever decision you make I’ll support you. You and Justin, you guys deserve more than this town. Do the best you can, we’re all really proud of what you accomplished so far.”

“Aaannnnddd?” Mack prompted with a teasing smile.

And I just hope while you enter the world of the rich and famous that…you don’t forget me or where you came from,” he finished, his voice barely above a whisper.

“I’m here now aren’t I? Before, you couldn’t pay me to come back home but you convinced me, so that should tell you something,” she responded. She paused. “I won’t ever forget you Trace, you know that. You’re my best friend.”

Trace sighed. “I was kinda hopin’ I could be more than your best friend.”

Mack smiled sadly. “I know,” she said, putting a hand on his shoulder. “But it’s better this way. This way we won’t have a falling out and then our friendship won’t be ruined. Besides…I don’t want to get into anything that my heart isn’t into.”

Trace nodded. “I understand.”

“Good. Now let’s get some of that pie before Chris or Joey eat it all.” Mack started to walk back into the kitchen.

“Uh, Mack?” Trace called, stopping her. She stopped and looked at him. “I just…I wanted to, uh…” his words trailed off as he let out a breath. Mack continued to stare at him quizzically. He took a step closer to her, placed a hand on her cheek, swooped down, and tenderly pressed a kiss against her mouth. She gawked when he pulled away from her, a blush tingeing both their cheeks.

“Hey Mackenzie, we need to…whoops,” Charlotte muttered when she and Mike barged into the room. Trace whipped his head at her and hurried out of the room as if being chased. “Sorry, did we interrupt something?” She asked sheepishly.

“Uh, no, nothing at all,” Mack replied shaking her head. She glanced back and forth between the two of them. “What’s up?” They motioned for her to sit down and she sat on the piano bench as they sat on the couch.

“First I wanted to say that I’m glad you’ve finally taken the time to hear my side of…all of the things that have happened. I understand that you’re still upset but I’m glad you finally gave me the chance I deserve,” Charlotte said as she squeezed Mike’s hand. “I also want you to know that I’ll support you in any decision that you make. I’m sure Mike will too.” She looked at him and he nodded, a smile gracing his lips. “And I hope, in turn, that you’ll support any decision that I make and that I feel is right for you and for our family.” Mack nodded slowly, squinting a bit. ‘What in the world is she getting at?’  She thought as she tried to read her mother’s face. “And, even though we’re going through some changes, your father and I still love you and we’re still a family,” she continued.

“Momma, you were never good at jumping around the truth,” Mack stated plainly. “What’s going on? When Trace had called he said you needed me here?  Are you sick, is that it?”

“Not exactly,” Charlotte replied.

“Waddya mean not exactly? Either you are sick or you aren’t,” Mack said, tilting her head, blocking out the screams that were coming from the kitchen.

“Well, at certain times of the day I’m sick,” Charlotte replied.

“I don’t follow,” Mack said, shaking her head.

“Your mother’s pregnant,” Mike stated. “With…with my kid.”

End Notes:
One more chapter and it's onto the sequel. I can't believe in one month I would've been on this site for a year. Thanks to all who have read and reviewed. I love this community and I hope you all continue to read my stories and continue to enjoy them. Please leave some love.
Summer of Changes by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
The last chapter + the epilogue. Here we gooooo....

Chapter 35: Summer of Changes

April 6-16th, 1997

(Spring Break)

“Hey bro, are you ok?” Justin asked, tilting his head slightly, noticing JC’s hands clenching the armrests of the airplane. “The turbulence isn’t that bad. Think of it like a roller coaster, that’s what I do to help get over my fear.”

It’s not a fear of flying, JC wanted to tell Justin but he just smiled his thanks at the younger boy and took in a slow, deep breath. He was nervous for how his relationship was going to be on the way back home. There was only two different ways this trip could end for him: really well and he and Nikki are back together or really badly and he and Nikki split up for good.

He rubbed his face with his hand and let out the breath he had been holding. It was his idea to take a trip with Nikki to the Bahamas so it would be just them talking everything out so he knew where they stood but now he wanted to just hop on the next plane back to Orlando and hide under his covers. He just didn’t want to admit to himself that he could potentially be making a big mistake.

Justin’s nose was pressed against the window as they began their decent and JC’s heart started to work in over time. He was sure that he was going to pass out any second. Calm down, Jace, it’s just Nikki. You’re just using this time to talk to her and hang out with Justin like you used to. It’s not all about her. It’s about spending time with friends. He repeated that in his head so many times he almost didn’t notice that they had landed until Justin practically sat in his lap.

“Hey J, I love you and all, but I would appreciate it if you got your ass-less ass out of my face,” JC commented, shoving Justin back into his chair and he stood.

“I have an ass,” Justin pouted from behind JC.

JC rolled his eyes at the whinny tone, gathered his bags, and slowly walked down the crowded aisle. He glanced out the window and was marveled at how blue the ocean was. It wasn’t even that blue in Orlando. Just lightly shoved JC to keep him going forward. God, JC, this isn’t the time to be spacey. You have to focus. You’re going to make the biggest decision of your life soon.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Hey Jace, when are they getting here again?” Justin asked, rolling onto his back and staring at the ceiling.

“In three days,” JC replied in monotone. He couldn’t help it. Justin has asked him that question once they landed, once they got into the taxi, once they checked into the hotel, and once at dinner. “How many more times are you going to ask me that?”

“Am I bothering you?” Justin questioned.

“No, not at all,” JC replied in what he hoped was a sincere voice. It wasn’t Justin that was bothering him, it was Nikki. He had been calling her all day. Halfway through the flight he suddenly craved hearing her voice. His mind was still tied, he didn’t know which way the conversation would go, but he did know that he wanted to be around her again, to feel her arms wrap around him and to smell her floral scent.

“What do you have planned with Nikki? A walk on the beach? Taking a helicopter tour? Staying in the hot tub?” Justin wiggled his eyebrows at the last suggestion.

JC laughed. “I told you all ready, I asked her here to talk about where we are. To be honest I’m not entirely sure that I want to get back together with her.”

“What?” Justin jumped off his bed and landed on JC’s, jostling the older man slightly. “Why not? You guys were good together.”

“I know.” JC nodded. “She cheated on me, remember? There must’ve been something I did or something she didn’t like about me to drive her to cheating on me.”

“She made a mistake,” Justin said simply.

JC stared at him. “It was a mistake to hook up with another guy and hug him or kiss him or hold hands or did whatever she did? She accidentally cheated on me?”

“No, that’s not what I’m saying,” Justin said, shaking his head, brushing a few curls away from his forehead. “What I meant was–”

“You need a touchup,” JC said abruptly, looking at Justin’s golden brown hair.

“I know I need one and don’t change the subject,” Justin said with a hint of a smile. “What I meant was that maybe, in a feeling of loneliness she was just…comfortable with a friend?” Justin sighed at the look on JC’s face. “I know, very farfetched but I’m trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. It’s Peaches after all, she’s never done anything to hurt anyone on purpose. She’s a very sweet girl.”

“I know, that’s what I liked about her,” JC muttered.

Like,” Justin corrected. “You still like her. I can see it in your eyes. Otherwise you wouldn’t have asked her here. I think you two are going to get back together. You’ll pick u where you left off. Do you–”

“Want anything to drink? I was getting ready to ask you that, actually,” JC said suddenly, jumping up and going over to the mini fridge.

“No, I’m fine,” Justin replied, shaking his head. “Anyway, do you think–”

“Are you sure? We have root beer and some fruit punch thing,” JC said with his head in the fridge.

“I’m fine, but thanks. So do you–”

“Want to order room service? I’m not in the mood to go anywhere, really.”

“What are you so afraid of that you keep changing the subject, Josh?” Justin demanded.

JC froze at the mention of his first name.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Don’t do anything stupid, I don’t want to have to hear from hotel staff about you two, got it?” JC asked, staring hard at Justin who nodded rapidly.

“You can trust us, C,” Justin said with a little eye roll before turning his bright smile to Veronica who stood by his side. “When have I ever done anything stupid?”

“I don’t have to the time to list it off for you,” JC said, feeling rather than seeing Nikki shifting her weight. “Don’t forget–”

“I’m not a kid! Gosh. C’mon, Ronnie.” Justin took Veronica’s hand and the two disappeared back into the hotel.

“Do you want to just take a walk or do you have something else planned?” Nikki asked, tucking some hair behind her ear.

“A walk is good,” JC replied with a small smile. Nikki brushed some hair out of her face, smiled in return, and the two started walking in the direction of the beach. The silence was awkward and hung heavy over them. There has never been an awkward silence between them before and for the first time in years JC struggled to find something to say.

“So, um, how’ve you been?” He finally asked as they descended the stairs that held the beach directly below them.

“Good,” Nikki replied with a nod. “I tried going back to high school and that didn’t really work out too well. I missed the rush of the lights and the stage and the crowds.” She chuckled. “Once you go into show biz I guess you can’t go back, right?”

“I know exactly what you mean,” JC said, letting out a slow breath, instantly calming down.

“How’s ‘N Sync going anyway?” She questioned, glancing at him before looking out at the ocean that was to her left.

“Really well, actually. We got a Gold single a few months ago and we’re touring around a lot. Our CD comes out in Europe next month,” JC said, trying not to sound like he was bragging. “We’re going to tour Europe the rest of the year, taking breaks every now and then, and we’re setting to bring our music to the US next year.”

“Well, when your CD comes out I’ll definitely buy many copies and send them to my friends and make them listen,” Nikki said. “Anything that has your voice on it is bound to do well.”

“Thanks,” JC said, blushing a little. It was an automatic reaction whenever he got praised for his singing voice. He didn’t think it was good. Well, he did, but he thought that it could be better. “I just…um, wanted you to know on the part where we included the people who we thank I, uh, mentioned you there under the name ‘Peaches’ but…that was back when we were dating.”

Nikki sighed. “It’s a good thing you brought that up because I didn’t know how much longer I could dodge around the subject,” she admitted. She glanced around to find a place to sit down and just plopped down on the sand, JC sat next to her.

“Yeah, I, uh, wanted to know…a lot of things, really,” JC said, scratching behind his ear, looking down at his feet. “Mainly…”

“Why I suddenly broke it off,” Nikki supplied. “Over the phone.” JC nodded. “And not to you.”

“You’re not making things better,” he pointed out.

“Right, sorry,” she sighed. “The truth is I was thinking long and hard about us. You were in Europe starting to live your dream and I guess I was a little jealous. It’s like, right after MMC you and Justin get this great opportunity while the rest of us were left in the dust trying to figure out what to do. Whenever you called and told me about what was happening a little part of me hurt each time because I knew I wasn’t living that life. And then after hearing of your success…I panicked. I was thinking about us in the long run. You going off months at a time, singing and meeting new people…meeting new girls and I’d be here wondering what you were doing all the time. Then I realized I wouldn’t be able to deal with the separation.”

“But Niks, we could’ve worked it out,” JC pointed out. “Set some ground rules or something. You should’ve known I’d want to make it work. And as for the other girls…how could you think I’d be unfaithful? I never cheated on you while we were dating at MMC, not once. Why would you think I would do that on the road?”

“I was scared, I told you that!” Nikki all but wailed. “I was afraid you’d trade me up for someone better or something. In hindsight that was the dumbest decision I made, I understand that now.”

“No, the dumbest part of that decision as calling me about it and when you didn’t get me you told my friend to tell me instead,” JC replied bitterly.

“In the back of my mind I convinced myself that it would be better if you were mad at her instead of mad at me.” Nikki sniffed. “She didn’t like me much anyway.”

“That’s not true,” JC denied.

“It is. She hated me. She didn’t even have to say it, I could tell by the way she looked at me, and she only did it when you weren’t around to say something about it. She was scared of you.”

JC shook his head. “Nikki, I just want to know one thing.”

“Who was it?” She questioned. He nodded, pressing his lips together. “You don’t want to know.”

“Yes I do. Tell me, who was it?” He demanded. She stayed silent. “Was it someone from MMC?” She nodded. “One of my friends?” She nodded again. “Dale?” She shook her head. “Don’t say Tony.”

“It wasn’t Tony, he’s with Kerri, remember?” She said with a sigh.

“So? If you can cheat on me you could easily make him cheat on her,” he said harshly.

“Josh, I can’t believe you said that!” She gasped.

“Nikki, just tell me!”

“It was Marc, ok?” She grabbed his hands. “And I regretted my decision as soon as it happened. I didn’t sleep with him or anything, we just kissed once but after it happened we talked and we said that it didn’t mean anything. And it didn’t, I didn’t feel anything like I felt with you.” She looked him dead in the eye. “I was glad when you called and asked for me to come with you here. I knew you were thinking the same thing: that you wanted to get back together. I do too, Josh, I do too. I’ve missed you so much.” She leaned into him but he leaned backwards, away from her.

He sighed and gently pulled her hands off of his. “Listen, Nikki, I’ll admit I did want to get together. But that was before I actually sat down and gave myself time to think about it and I heard your story.” He licked his dry lips. “I love you, Nikki, and I always will.” She sucked in her breath. “But…I can’t get back together with you. I wasn’t in Germany for long when you cheated on me. Who knows when you’ll do it again? When I’m at rehearsal? In an interview in the next room? The same day I leave? Who knows?” He shrugged. “And you said that you’re getting into the music business yourself. I’m extremely happy for you, it’s what you always wanted and you’re working with an amazing woman who I could call my second mother, but it’s the entertainment business that would make our relationship hard.

“If we stayed together we’d be playing touch and go all the time. I’d be back one day and you’d be gone the same day. We’d constantly miss each other. Telephone calls tie me over for so long, I’d rather you be there, waiting for me when I get back. To be honest, I think I want someone who’s not in the business, to keep me grounded.”

“I can do both,” Nikki said, wiping at her eyes.

JC smiled sadly and brushed her tears away with his thumbs. “It’s not what I want right now. Sure, I might change my mind in the future and if we’re meant to be together it’ll happen. But right now I either need a girl who’s not in the business or I’ll just focus on my work and on the guys. I hope you understand.”

Nikki nodded and smiled a little. “I understand perfectly. I just wish it wouldn’t end this way.”

“Me too,” JC replied. “Do you like me enough to give me a hug?”

“Always.” She buried her face in the crook of his neck and held onto him tight, afraid he’d disappear if she let go. Finally, after minutes past, she let him go and sat back. “Speaking of MMC, I talked to a few of ‘em. Guess who got a recording contract at Jive?”

JC wracked his brain. “Christina?”

“Close, Britney,” she replied.

JC’s eyebrows rose. “This early? Well, I guess that’s nothing new to me.” Nikki gave him a confused look. “You remember Mack, the girl who you claim hates you?” She nodded. “You know how she’s been our choreographer?”

“Yeah, I remember. That girl can dance,” Nikki replied.

“Well, she performed a few of her own songs in a pinch and our record lable is offering her a contract.”

Now Nikki’s eyebrows rose. “She sings?”

“And acts apparently,” he replied. “She’s trying for a movie audition as well.”

“That girl’s ambitious.”

“Always has been. Reminds me of you. Just more headstrong and loud.”

Nikki grinned. “If she’s anything like me you’ll end up falling for her as well.”

JC laughed. “Somehow I doubt that.”

“You never know.” She smiled then glanced at her watch. “Wow, it’s later than I thought. We should get back before they get worried.”

“You’re right.” JC got up and brushed off his pants, grasping her hand and pulling her to her feet. He didn’t let go of her hand as they walked back to the hotel. He wanted her to know that he would always be there for her, no matter what happened between them. He was sure she got the message because she didn’t want to let him go when she hugged him goodbye.

Finally he let her go and stepped into the elevator, giving her a small wave before the elevator doors closed. Leaning against the back wall he let out a breath and convinced himself that he had made the right decision. He waited a few minutes and found that he agreed with himself when his heart didn’t tell him to bust out of the elevator and find her.

He went back into his hotel room to see Justin walking out of the bathroom, his pajama pants on and a t-shirt in his hands. “You just get back? You guys must’ve made up for a while,” Justin commented as he rubbed at the few beads of water that was still stuck to his chest.

JC kicked off his shoes. “We broke up,” he responded. Justin looked at him in confusion. “It didn’t feel right to me and it wasn’t fair to make her wait. We split mutually, we’re not mad at each other or anything. What about you guys?” He dropped down on his bed and rested his hands underneath his head.

“We split too,” Justin replied. “Momma’s taking her into her group, the same one Nikki’s going to be in, and we agreed that the distance would be too much.”

“Sorry about that man,” JC said.

“I’m not upset.” Justin shrugged. “I’m young, I’ll bounce back.”

JC rolled his eyes. “Oh, by the way, Nikki told me some interesting news. Guess who’s getting a recording contract with Jive?”

“Uhhh, Christina,” Justin guessed.

“No, but I guess her as well. No, Britney.” Justin’s eyebrows rose. “I had the same reaction. She’ll be amazing, her voices is killer and so’s her dancing.”

“Christina hasn’t said anything about one but I know she’s gone after some deals,” Justin muttered. “Huh, isn’t that funny though? We have a CD out, in Europe but still, Britney’s getting a contract and Mack is getting one too. Once Christina gets one it’ll be like…we’ll be in a competition but not at the same time because we’ll be aiming to support each other.”

“That’s the way the music business should be,” JC agreed. He turned his head towards the ringing phone and lifted it to his ear. “Hullo…hey, what’s up? Yeah, hold on.” JC reached over and pushed a button on the telephone. “You there?” He asked.

“Yup, we’re all here,” Mack’s voice came in from the white box. “Me and Chris and Lance and Joey and Trace and Rachael.”

“Trace, how are you, you mother fucker?” Justin called as he pulled on his night shirt.

“Glad I’m all the way over here so you can’t come and kill me,” Trace’s southern drawl replied. “What’s eating you?”

“Long story, I’ll explain when we get home,” Justin replied, jumping onto his bed.

“Uh oh, he got dumped,” Rachael’s voice came over the line.

“Waddya know, Miss Nosey?”

“I know when you get all sulky.”

“I’m pretty sure there’s a reason you called,” JC jumped in.

“What, you didn’t want to hear my beautiful voice?” Chris asked in high falsetto.

“Not one that’ll haunt him at night,” Joey spoke up. “Go on, girl, tell ‘em about your decision.”

“Decision?” Justin’s ears perked up.

“Yeah, concerning my opportunities,” Mack’s voice came back over the line. “You two are aware of the opportunities I’ve been given, including the one that you guys gave me choreographing for you guys. I love it, you know I do, but I wanted to look at my other options.”

“You’re quitting on us, aren’t you?” Justin demanded.

“Let me finish.” He could practically see Mack rolling her eyes. “Before I was given some of these opportunities I’ve been taking the time to think about my school work. Before I was given these opportunities I was about 75% sure that I wanted to go back to school for my junior and sophomore year.”

“So you’re going back to school?” Justin interrupted again.

“If you don’t let me finish I swear…” Mack’s rant trailed off as she muttered something in French and then Lance’s laughter came over the line. “Ok, as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted”–JC laughed as Justin rolled his eyes–“I’m going to choreograph for the Backstreet Boys, but it’s only for one song. I’ll see where I goes from there but right now it’ll be the one song. I need diversity and continuity so doing both will be good for me. As for the movie part, I’m talking with my mom about it and she’s helping me get an agent and all that stuff.” She took a breath. “For the recording contract, I decided to turn it down.”

“Are you freaking crazy!? You’re given an amazing deal here!” Justin practically shouted.

“I don’t want to sign to TransCon,” Mack replied.

“But why?” JC asked.

“I just don’t like the whole Pop thing. If I sign to them they’ll make me Pop, I just know it and I don’t want to do something I won’t have fun with.”

“So you’re just going to give up music altogether?” Justin asked. “With a voice like that?”

“Well, I didn’t say I’d give it up completely,” Mack said slowly. “I still want to do it, but under a label I want to be a part of when I feel I have time.”

“What about our tour and stuff?” Justin asked.

“Well, if I find a movie I hope it’ll only last over the summer. Once the fall rolls around I’ll come back as I look for more choreography opportunities. I can fly in and out easily, it won’t be that hard. There’s just two things standing in my way.”

“What’s that?” JC questioned.

“Mr. Yerger’s exam and Justin.” JC looked up and over at Justin who was giving the white box an odd look as if Mack were sitting there. “I know you want me on tour with you guys but I don’t want to only be there if it’s going to stand in my way of doing other things but I don’t want to do other things if I don’t have your support, J.”

Justin twisted his lips to the side of his mouth and sighed. “You know I always have your back. No matter what, Scrappy.”

He could practically see Mack’s illuminating smile on the other end of the line. “I appreciate it, Scooby.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Two months later…

“Why are you nervous? You’re not the one taking the test,” Lance commented as he watched Joey pace up and down the halls. He glanced at his watch briefly before continuing pacing. JC pulled his feet in slightly so Joey wouldn’t tread on them and continued to play with his yo-yo as Chris counted the numerous floor tiles.

“I just feel bad for Justin,” Joey replied. “I mean, he hasn’t been able to concentrate on anything at all since Laura Katherine died. He’s always wanted a little sister and she’s just…gone. I wouldn’t want to study if something like this happened to me.”

“He has a good support system though,” Chris commented, keeping his eyes glued to the floor as he slowly walked the hall.

“I don’t know how to talk to him lately,” Lance admitted with a small sigh. “What can you say to someone whose little sibling died right after childbirth?”

“You could ask Mack, she knows a little bit about that club,” Chris said.

“What do you mean by that?” JC asked, frowning at the knot in his yo-yo string.

“Well, those two are in the club that no one wants to be in,” Chris replied. They looked at him blankly. “The Death-of-a-Younger-Sibling Club. Mack wasn’t supposed to be an only child; she was going to have a little brother when she was four. He died the day after he was born. She didn’t like to talk about it; it took her a while to get over it but she has come to terms with it. It’s like, ya know? You can only control it to an extent.”

“Wait, how do you know about that?” JC questioned, part of the yo-yo string was lodged in between his two front teeth like floss.

“Justin told me,” he sighed. “We’re doing the only thing we can for those two.”

“It sucks, though. Knowing if Justin fails he can’t do ‘N Sync stuff with us over the summer and if Mack fails then she can’t work on her movie,” Joey commented. “She’s lucky, though, being only fifteen and having all of this stuff shoved into her face. It sucks she didn’t get the Titanic role.”

“The directors must’ve liked her audition anyway otherwise she wouldn’t have gotten this role. You are right about her being lucky though, and we’re lucky as well,” Lance agreed. “We get to experience our dreams at the same time she does, even if it doesn’t work out for any of us. At least we all tried, right?”

“Yeah, but it will work out, I know it will,” Chris replied.

The sound of the door creaking open grabbed their attention. They all moved towards the door as Justin and Mack backed out, thanking their tutor, Chuck Yerger, for their time.

“Well?” The four boys asked in unison.

“We have to wait a bit for him to grade the test,” Justin said, shoving his heads into his pockets. He sighed and kicked at the floor, his shoulders slumping under his baby blue North Carolina t-shirt.

“Don’t worry, J, I’m sure you did fine. We studied hard for this and failure is not an option,” Mack said as she reached up and gently gave his shoulder a squeeze. Absentmindedly, she moved the two long braids that were in her hair over either shoulder before looking at JC. “You having a little trouble there, Beaverface?” She lifted an eyebrow at the yo-yo hanging from his teeth.

“I was trying to get a knot out,” he replied, still working at it.

“Did you knock some marbles loose in the process?” She questioned, reaching up and tugging the string out of his mouth.’

“Ow,” he muttered, bringing a hand up to his mouth.

Justin cracked a smile. “How long have you guys been sitting here?” He questioned.

“Long enough for me to find out that there are exactly 2,962 tiles in this one hallway alone,” Chris replied, taking his cap off of his head and scratching at a spot behind his ear. “Do you always take this long to take tests?”

“Do you want to be responsible for ‘N Sync’s failure?” Justin shot back, lifting an eyebrow.

“You’re right. The German girls will start a riot if they don’t get a glimpse of you and that earring, Captain Timberlake,” Chris joked, flicking the unusually large gold earring in Justin’s left ear. Justin slapped Chris’s hand away but his smile was bigger than before. “Hey Tater-Tot,” Chris said with a grin, ruffling Mack’s hair.

“What’s up, Small-Fry?” She questioned, snatching his cap off of his head and placing it backwards on her own.

“Are we basing our put-downs around potatoes?” he questioned.

Mack shrugged and smiled. “You’re the one who brought it up, spud, I mean bud.” She suddenly started bouncing on her toes. “Lance! Lance! Did Stacey and Ford decide on a place to have the wedding yet?” her eyes were wide and shining as a grin split across her face.

“No, not yet, they haven’t found the right one,” he responded, watching her bounce up and down with his eyes. “Why?”

“’Cause I just had a brilliant idea!” She responded, excited.

“You might want to listen to her, those don’t come around often,” Justin teased.

Mack ignored him. “You can have the wedding at my house! In my backyard!”

“Uh, not to be mean, but I’ve seen your house, I don’t think it’ll work,” Lance said gently.

“No, not my Memphis house or my Orlando house. My Canada house! We rent it out to people all the time and we go up there for Christmas. The backyard has this archway thing at the end of it and it has a…um…what’s that thing wthat’s in a circle and it has fancy fencing around it?” She asked, snapping her fingers rapidly. The guys looked at each other and Mack suddenly shouted out the answer, causing them all to jum. “A gazebo! We have a gazebo and other cool outdoorsy stuff too! It’s perfect! Like a…a Winter Wonderland! My house can fit a lot of people and if there’s no room we can stay with my grandparents since they live down the street! They won’t care if I suddenly drop in, I need to visit them again any. And, and the best part is that the snow will create an awesome backdrop!” Mack rattled on as the guys continued to look at her as if she were crazy.

“You’ve been thinking about this for a while haven’t you?” JC questioned.

“What was your first clue?” Justin asked dryly.

“I like the idea, personally, I just gotta pitch it to Stace,” Lance said.

“She’s getting married in December and this is like a girl’s fantasy wedding. Trust me, she’ll go for it,” Mack said with a wave of her hand. “I’m a girl, I know these things. I know everything because I’m a girl.”

“Yet you have a distinct lack of knowledge of when to use tact,” JC pointed out.

“And you have a distinct lack of knowledge of when to shut up!” She shot back with a small head roll. He rolled his eyes as the door creaked open. Justin and Mack instantly jumped to attention and rushed over to Chuck Yerger as he walked out, their tests in either hand. She tried to read his face to see if he was giving out any hints to their grades but his face remained empty. He simply held their papers out to them, the backs facing up. “I can’t look!” She suddenly cried out, her eyes wide in fear.

“I’ll look,” Chris said, starting forward.

“And have you make up a score and give me a heart attack?” her fingers clenched the paper hard at the thought.

“Why don’t we d o this? We’ll hold our scores out to each other, so we each can see it, and then we turn it around so we can see our own scores. OK?” Justin suggested. Mack nodded and the air suddenly became thick with tension. They locked eyes and, with a small nod from Justin, turned their papers around. She fought the smile that was dying to come to her face when she saw Justin’s grade. He had done much better than they both thought. She stole a glance at Justin’s face and saw a very subtle twitch in the corner of his mouth. Oh man. Taking a deep breath the two looked at each other before turning their papers around.

“All right! I got a 93!” Justin cheered.

“Mack?” Lance asked.

“I got, uh, I got a 70,” she muttered before turning to Chuck. “Is this enough to pass? I know it’s not my best but…please give me good news.”

“You needed one point to pass,” Chuck replied. Mack looked crestfallen. Chuck smiled. “You got that point. Your average throughout the year was enough to help you get a passing grade. Congratulations, both of you.”

“We did it, Mack, we did it!” Justin cheered happily before wrapping his arm around her waist and started spinning her around. She laughed and held onto him tight incase he decided to let her go. “The best part is that we don’t have to deal with school for three months!”

“Congrats guys,” JC said, hugging them both at one time. “I knew you could do it.”

“We all did,” Chris said, lightly hitting JC on the arm.

“Thank you so much Mr. Yerger!” Mack said, turning to hug him.

He laughed and lightly patted her head. “You did most of the work, I just helped you along. Have a great summer.” He smiled and went back into the classroom, closing the door.

“Yaaaay!” Mack cheered happily before running down the hall. After gaining enough speed she did a couple of cartwheels, a few backhand springs, and finished with a right-handed k-kick out of happiness.

“I swear ever since you went to Memphis you’re a different person,” Justin commented as the boys walked in her direction. “Did you get hit on the head?” He joked.

“No, but I did get hit with southern hospitality,” Mack replied. “How much ‘N Sync stuff do you guys have to do?”

They all turned to Lance. “A few shows every now and then, a few interviews: radio, TV, and print, and a few appearances. The longest we have to stay in different places is three days but there’s a lot of time in between each appearance so we can still spend most of summer in Orlando and wherever we want to go.”

“So, little Miss Triple Threat which thing are you going to tackle first?” Joey asked, lightly nudging Mack.

“Uhm, the movie I think. They’re trying to get it all done in two months, three at the most and I want to do that before I have to worry about my time being compromised,” Mack replied. She skipped a little bit out of happiness. “Man, I still can’t believe it. I get to choreograph for the Backstreet Boys and I get to work on a movie and on a CD!” She sighed in content. “This is our summer, boys.”

“Don’t you think all those jobs will come with a lot of pressure?” JC asked in concern.

“I can handle it, Jace,” Mack said with a wave of her hand. “As long as I have everything organized and I have your support I’ll be fine. I’ll stay as cool and calm and collected as possible. And if I snap at any of you guys at all–”

Justin put his arm around her shoulders and hugged her to his side, pressing a kiss to her forehead. “We’ll know you’ve gone back to normal,” he quipped.

End Notes:

 

 

What can I say...when I first joined this site I thought I would only be reading these stories. Then I got inspired to write my own and I had this crazy thought: "Hey, why not write a story from the begining of their *NSYNC reign to the end? Maybe even past that?" I decided to go for it but I wanted it to be a little different. Justin was my favorite at first, something about his accent got me, which is why I made the main character, Mack, his best friend. I wanted her to stand out and I wanted her really close with Justin so then I got the idea to make her their choreographer and this story was born.

Orignially, Up Against the Wall was going to be one reallly long story from beginign to end and then I decided to split it up. After befriending some NF girls such as Musicmel and Jersey_Tenn I got inspired by not only their stories, but my twitter convos with them, and the voices in my head to create twists and turns in this story that would leave your biting your nails.

It may feel like the end but it isn't. Mack's only fiften (turning sixteen (I had to add that or she'd kill me, lol)) after all and she's all ready gotten good opportunities. However, she's no superman andI can't just leave her life when things seem to finally be going well. She is tough, yes, and I love her for that but every tough person cracks sooner or later and the sequel, titled Something Like You, is full of cracks, more twists, more turns, and more drama.

Wow, this is longer than I thought. Anyway, I just wanted to thank all the readers for taking the time to read this story and seeing how crappy it was in the begining to how good it is now. (at least i think it's good). I hope you all leave me nice reviews and I hope you all are excited for Something Like You which should be up by the end of the week, if not then, Sunday. Thanks once again!

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1488