Down on the County Line by Schnessa
Summary:

Out where your troubles can't find you

Out where you leave them all behind

Out where the moon shines sweetly

Won't you meet me

Down on the county line

 

County line-Sugarland


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: The Random Shuffle Series
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3500 Read: 1655 Published: Sep 04, 2009 Updated: Sep 04, 2009
Story Notes:
This little short was inspired by the song County Line by Sugarland.

1. Always the love songs. by Schnessa

Always the love songs. by Schnessa
Author's Notes:

I'm nominated at the NF Awards so go vote!

For Meg.

Friday Night, 6:30pm, Wayside, TX

This is not how you expected to spend your Friday night but you won’t complain. Your best friend, Candice, decided she wanted to go out to the county line with all ya’lls friends and decided she would drag you along with her. Normally you’d politely declined and tell her you had plans with other friends or, if it came down to it, family. You didn’t this time though because she said the one thing that would make you agree to join her.

“Justin’s comin’ too.”

Justin Timberlake is your crush of all crushes! He’s so good looking and in a town of only 500 people he’s also the object of every girl’s fantasy. He’s your typical jock, good at all sports especially basketball. You thought for sure he’d take that scholarship at University of Texas after high school but he shocked everyone when he decided to go to the community college in Amarillo, 45 minutes away from Wayside, Texas.

Unlike all the other girls in your small town you don’t have to admire him from afar though. No, you get to admire him up close and personal. He’s your next door neighbor and ya’ll hang out with the same group of friends. He’s always done little things that makes you think he likes you but he flirts with every female in town, regardless of their age.

“Hey girl. It’s about time you decided to hang out with us. You’ve been hangin’ with all your city friends lately.” Justin tells you as you walk across your lawn to his driveway where everyone is packing up to go down to the county line.

You tuck your hair behind your ear as you toss him a shy smile, “Yeah. They’re so much better than all you country bumpkins.”

Your hands nervously play with your plaid sundress as you realize maybe that little insult might hurt his feelings. Instead his blue eyes sparkle as he laughs at your statement before pulling you into his embrace. You wrap your arms around his waist and rest your head against his chest as you breathe in his scent.

He always smells so clean and like citrus. You take a deep breath as he kisses the top of your head before letting you go.

“I’ll let that slide since you actually made time for us country bumpkins tonight. Go ahead and climb into the passenger’s seat Woman!” He says with a laugh as you flip his off.

“Open my door Jackass or I’m telling Mama Lynn.” You threaten as he rolls his eyes and opens the door for you so you can climb into his Jeep.

You’re greeted by all his guy friends, quickly realizing you’re the only girl in his Jeep and Candice is in a completely different vehicle than you. When he climbs in and winks at you, you don’t care though because let’s face it, she’s a big girl and she can take care of herself.

You put on your seatbelt and get comfortable as he starts up the Jeep and ya’ll take off. You steal a glance at him taking in the sight of his heather gray Harley Davidson t-shirt and rugged blue jeans. He’s been letting his hair grow out from that buzz cut he got a few weeks ago and it’s just the right length that you like on him, not too short but not too long, with short tendrils that you can still run your fingers through, even though you don’t get too.

You turn your attention to the guys in the back and get lost in all the conversations going on around you, laughing at various stories and jokes. Then he takes a hold of your hand and you turn your attention towards him.

“So, what have you been doin’? I only see you at class lately.” He asks and you smile.

“Just studying and workin’. I feel like I hardly have any free time. Every minute is spent doin’ homework. I hate college.” You tell him as he laughs and your heart skips a beat when you realize he’s still holding your hand.

“I understand,” he says as he waves at a truck passing ya’ll before cocking his head to look at you, “so, any of those city boys makin’ a move?” he asks with a rise of his eyebrows and you blush as you nod your head.

“They’ve made moves but I prefer my country boys.” You say as his thumb caresses the back of your hand.

“That’s good to know.” He tells you, making eye contact right before he pulls off of Highway 249 and onto Cemetery Road.

The sun’s starting to set as ya’ll make it to that little spot in the woods that ya’ll like to hang out at. He opens your door for you as everyone climbs out of their respected vehicles and ya’ll start to grab wood for a fire.

You like it out here in the woods away from all the city lights and noise. You finger the small Welcome sign ya’ll put up years ago that’s now covered by Spanish Moss as you watch as Justin unpacks his guitar and an igloo cooler from his Jeep. He would have done good at UT but you’re glad he stayed. You watch as he jokes around with Trace and Marty as they start the fire.

You’re getting tired of standing in the back when you feel a tug on your arm. You turn around, immediately getting tackled by Rachel, Justin’s cousin, and you laugh as you hug her back. She decided to go to college at Texas Tech in Lubbock so you only see her on the weekends. When ya’ll break apart you catch Justin’s eye and throw him a smile.

“Hey girl! I’d like you to meet my friend Carol. She goes to Tech with me.” Rachel tells you and you hands with the girl.

She’s the complete opposite of Rachel, who’s as tall as Justin and has short dark brown, almost black hair. This girl is short about 5’2 and has long curly blond hair. She’s cute though with her pretty green eyes and dimples.

“Nice to meet you Carol.” You say as Justin makes his way over to ya’ll, wrapping his arm around your neck as you lean back into his hard body and placed your hand on his arm.

“Nice to meet you too.” She says but she’s not looking at you.

She’s looking at Justin and you feel jealousy surge through you when you notice Justin staring back at her. His other arm makes it’s way around your waist as he pulls you further against him. You almost want to moan when you feel his breath against your ear.

“She’s creeping me out.” He whispers before he tickles your side with his free hand.

You giggle as you squirm against him and Rachel rolls her eyes at the two of you.

“Justin, this is my friend Carol. Carol, this is my cousin Justin.” Rachel says as Carol giggles when Justin waves at her.

“I’m ready to start drinkin’!” Trace exclaims while ya’ll all laugh at him.

“Well, let’s get to it then!” Justin says as he lets go of you and makes his way to the cooler, handing out beers with the rest of the guys.

When you walk by him to go sit with Candice he grabs your hand and pulls you down to sit by him. You get comfortable on the log, holding your beer bottle in between your hands as he throws his arm around your shoulder and you lean into him a bit more.

The sun is sinking lower and lower and you can see the stars beginning to shine through the tree tops as you take a sip of your beer. You laugh as Trace pulls out Justin’s guitar and starts randomly playing, even though he doesn’t really know how too.

Left a good job in the city,
Working for The Man every night and day,
And I never lost one minute of sleeping,
Worrying 'bout the way things might have been

Trace sings as the sun falls behind the trees and the fire pops and cackles.

Justin still has his arm around your shoulder as ya’ll all join in with Trace.

Big wheel keep on turning,
Proud Mary keep on burning,
Rolling, rolling, rolling on the river

Everyone starts swayin’ to the song as ya’ll all sing. You can hear Justin’s voice ringing out above the rest though. Just then the music stops as Trace sways too hard and falls off the log. Everyone erupts in laughter as Justin lets go of you to help Trace up.

You shiver when he leaves your side and you place your beer on the ground so you can warm up your arms. You watch with silent admiration as he leans over and you lick your lips as he pulls a beer from the cooler and his arm muscles contract. He really is a handsome man. You shiver again when he takes his spot next to you again.

It’s getting really cold now that the sun has set.

“Are you cold?” He asks as he drapes his arm around your shoulder and pulls you close to him.

“A little bit.” You say as your teeth start to chatter.

“There’s a blanket in my Jeep. Do you want me to get it for you?” He asks as he rubs his hand up and down your arm, trying to warm you up.

You practically jump off the log to head to his Jeep though, “I’ll get it.” you call out behind you.

“It’s in the trunk!” He yells behind you with a laugh as you run to his Jeep.

You open his trunk and grab his UT blanket from the back and wrap it around you. He would have made a great Longhorn at UT.

You make your way back over to the log and notice Crystal sitting in your spot next to Justin. You look at his other side and silently curse under your breath when you see Trace sitting there. You really wanted to sit next to him. You walk past him, fixing to make your way over to where Candice and Rachel are sitting when he pulls you down onto his lap.

“Uh huh, you haven’t spent anytime with me lately. You’re not going to get away from me tonight.” He whispers into your ear as his arms wrap around your waist.

“Someone took my seat.” You whisper as you lean back into him and get comfortable on his lap.

“That’s okay. I like you sitting here much better.” He whispers against your ear as his hold on you tightens.

We use to pull off Highway 249

Had a cool little place where we’d go hide on a Friday night

And get away from the city lights

We’d find a little wood and build a fire

Somebody’d always bring a couple guitars

And we’d take turns singin’ song and watching it burn

We’d do “Ramblin Man”, “Proud Mary”, and “American Band”

We’d be singin’ at the top of our lungs

“We should sing another song since Trace fucked up the first one.” Candice suggests and everyone laughs.

“Oh…a love song would be the best!” Rachel says as the guys groan.

It was always the love songs every time

Made everybody feel something inside

With the fire down low held your girl real close

Made you wanna love the one you’re with

Gave you the courage for that first kiss

It was the love songs always the love songs

“Meg, should sing. She hasn’t come with us for awhile. Come on Meggie!” Trace says as everyone claps and you dig your head into Justin’s neck with embarrassment.

“I don’t know….I haven’t sang in so long….really guys, come on! I’m so not prepared for this!” You say as they continue to push at you and try to get you to sing.

“It’s just one song Meggie. Just one song.” Marty pleads and you laugh as try to hide in Justin’s neck again and he just laughs as his hand runs up and down your back in a soothing manner.

“Just one.” You say reluctantly as everyone around you hoots and hollers.

You removed the blanket and get off Justin’s lap, making your way to over where Trace is and getting Justin’s guitar from him. You don’t even know what song you’re going to sing but you know Justin’s going to be watching you and that makes you a little bit nervous. You take a seat on the log across from Justin, if you’re going to sing a love song you should at least be facing and singing to the man that you secretly love, right?

You take a deep breath as you situate the guitar strap around your neck and shoulder, resting the body against your stomach and leg. You look down at the neck as you place your fingers timidly against the frets and start to strum. You close your eyes before opening them slowly and meeting Justin’s across the fire.

Here goes nothing.

What I’d give to bring you flowers

What I’d give to get you alone

What I’d give to bring a smile across your face

What I’d give to take you home

You sing low and deep as your fingers continue to strum at the old guitar. You cock your head to the side as he smiles at you. You smile back singing all the words you could never say to him.

What I’d give to make you coffee

Find out how you like your eggs

Wrapped around you in the morning

A tangled lace of arms and legs

You sing with that southern smirk that you know you pull off so well. They holler at that last line, everyone watching you intently. He’s still watching you too, his gaze never once drifting away from you. You wish you could just tell him that this song is about him but you just keep singing.

What I’d give to let you love me

Find out everything that brings you joy

Wake up to your face above me

I’d be that girl and you could be that boy

Find out why that feeling is

Oh what I’d give

What I give

You voice rings out in the quiet night as you sing to him. Every word laced with emotions that you hope he feels for you too.

A smile pulls across your face as you start in on the next verse.

What I’d give to take you dancing

What I’d give to make you mine

If you got questions I’ve got answers

And my answer’s yes to you every time

You’d do anything for him. You should tell him that you’re going to UT next semester and that maybe he should go too. Maybe you should just tell him how you feel instead wasting so much time worried that he might not feel the same way.

What I’d give for just one minute

What I’d give to count all the ways

If your heart was dark with nothing in it

I’d give you mine and take your place

Your eyes meet his and in the quiet you know that he knows that you’re singing to him and only him.

What I’d give to let you love me

Find out everything that brings you joy

Wake up to your face above me

I’d be that girl and you could be that boy

Find out why that feeling is

Oh, What I’d give

What I’d give

Oh, What I’d give

You finish singing as everyone claps and you slowly remove the guitar from it’s position, sitting on the side of the log.

There was always a line stuck in your head

That was said in a way you wished you could’ve said

But you both knew they were singin’ it right to you

It felt so good those times you had

That feelin’ of wanting somebody so bad

Made you weak in the heart you couldn’t take being apart

Honkey Tonk drinkin’ songs we could do ‘em all night long

But the ones I remember the most

“I think Justin should sing a song!” Carol says with a giggle and you know you’re glaring at her.

You make your way back over to him where he scoots down so you can sit between him and Carol. Trace has long since moved to sit next to Candice, no doubt hitting on her relentlessly the drunker he gets. You cross your legs and raise an eyebrow at him as he reaches behind him and pulls out another on guitar, settling it across his lap as he turns slightly to face you.

“Sing with me Meggie?” He asks and you nod your head.

Only he could make you agree with anything.

He starts strumming out a haunting melody and you know the song he’s playing. You love the song he’s playing. He starts singing and you swear you just got chills.

I wanna drink that shot of whiskey

I wanna smoke that cigarette

I wanna smell that sweet addiction, on my breath

I wanna ride across West Virginia, in the back seat of a Cadillac

You know some cowboys like me go out like that

So I need you

Like a needle needs a vein

Like my uncle Joe in Oklahoma needs the rain

He sings as he looks right at you, his gaze not drifting once as you stare back at him. You lean closer to him as your voice joins his

And I need you

Like a lighthouse on the coast

Like the father and the son need the Holy Ghost

I need you

Your voice shakes as you sing with all the passion and love you feel for this man. You take a breath before you start your verse. Your eyes boring into his dark blue beautiful eyes, letting him know once again you’re singing to only him.

I wanna get lost in some corner booth, Cantina Mexico

I wanna dance to the static of an AM radio

I wanna wrap the moon around us, lay beside you skin on skin

Make love til the sun comes up, till the sun goes down again

Cause I need you

Like a needle needs a vein

Like my uncle Joe in Oklahoma needs the rain

I need you

Your hand makes it’s way to his cheek, softly cupping his face as ya’ll scoot as close as ya’ll can get to one another without hitting his guitar. His voice mixes with yours as ya’ll continue to sing to one another.

Like a lighthouse on the coast

Your arms wrap around his neck as your fingers get tangled in the short curls at the base of his neck, your foreheads touching as you sing your line.

Like the father and the son need the Holy Ghost

You voice shakes as you sing and you see him shiver before his voice joins yours again.

I need you. Oh, I need you

He leans in and your lips meet his for the first time as he ends the song. Your eyes close as ya’ll continue to kiss, your fingers digging into his soft hair. Your mouth moving against his as his tongue slips in and slides against yours. You try to pull him closer and closer until his guitar bumps you. Why is his guitar in the way? Your eyes slowly open when you realize ya’ll aren’t alone, pulling back slowly only to rest your forehead against his as he caresses your cheek and leans in for another short quick kiss while everyone around ya’ll cheers.

It was always the love song every time

Made everybody feel something inside

With the fire down low held your girl real close

Made you wanna love the one you’re with

Gave you the courage for that first kiss

It was always the love song always the love songs

The ride back home is a quiet one, with almost everyone knocked out or just to sleepy to talk. You hold his hand as he drives ya’ll back home not quite sure what is happening between the two of you but knowing that whatever it is you want it to continue.

He parks in his driveway, peering through his rearview mirror to see if any of his friends are awake. He faces you before cupping your face in between his hands and leans in for another kiss before pulling back slowly.

“I’m going to go to UT next semester. I-I want you to be my girl though. We…I don’t know…we could do long distance dating. I would be willing to do that for you. I just….I just wanna know if it’s worth it for you. I promise I’ll call every day. I’ll write you, I’ll email you, I’ll im you.” He starts rushing out and you want to laugh but you don’t.

“Justin.”

“I’ll text you everyday too. I’ll fucking send messages through Trace if I have too.”

“Justin.”

“I’ll fly out here and I’ll buy you plane tickets so you can come see me. I’ll make it work. I promis-”

“Justin stop!” You shout and he shuts up, “Sorry, you just wouldn’t let me talk,” you say with a giggle and he blushes, “I’m going to UT next semester too.”

He doesn’t say anything he just leans in again and presses his lips against yours and you let out a moan. You love his lips against yours and to think it all started with a couple of love songs down on the county line.

It was always the love song every time

Made everybody feel something inside

With the fire down low held your girl real close

Made you wanna love the one you’re with

Gave you the courage for that first kiss

It was the love songs always the love songs

End Notes:

The First song used is Proud Mary by Creedance Clearwater Revival

The Second song used is What I'd Give by Sugarland

The Third song is I Need You and it was orginally sung by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill but I loved the Steel Magnolia version and feeling they put into it when they sung it on Can You Duet so I included a link to that performance too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl8cBnJuaa8

The song used in italics is "Always the love songs" by the Eli Young Band

Feedback is love.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1530