Money Honey by meggie
Past Featured StorySummary:

You know I appreciate the finer things

But it's not what makes me happy, baby

(I can do without it babe)

Your tender loving's more than I can handle

Never burn out this candle, baby, baby

It's good to live expensive you know it

But my knees get weak, intensive

When you give me kisses

That's money, honey

When I'm your lover and your mistress

That's money, honey

 

'Money Honey' - Lady Gaga


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 24295 Read: 31742 Published: Nov 14, 2009 Updated: Jun 14, 2011

1. Cast by meggie

2. Pre Party Jitters by meggie

3. And so it begins by meggie

4. Friend or frenemy? by meggie

5. A Softer Side by meggie

6. A new reign by meggie

7. Christmas Surprise by meggie

8. Crossing the line by meggie

9. Truce? by meggie

10. Consummation by meggie

11. Fatal Attraction by meggie

12. The Choice by meggie

13. Truce. Take Two by meggie

14. Sure by meggie

Cast by meggie

Mackenzie Jefferson

Preston Timberlake

Justin Timberlake

 

Grace Young

Pre Party Jitters by meggie

"So everything's set?" Mackenzie Jefferson asks the nameless assistant, her hands busy flipping though her planner. "I do not want a repeat of the Thompson event from two weeks ago."

"Yes, ma'am. Everything is ready to go." The young girl says, slightly in awe of the woman standing in front of her. "Mr. Timberlake should be here within the next two hours."

"Should be or will be?" She looks up at the planner, her voice laced with annoyance.

The girls' eyes go wide and she stutters. "Will be. Sorry. He will be."

"Good." She turns and makes her way through the lobby of the hotel. Her mind running a million miles out. Mentally checking and double checking lists. She makes a sharp left turn, last minute deciding to take a look at the ballroom, slightly fearful that the young girl had it wrong when she said everything was set and ready.

She steps into the ballroom and breathes a sigh of relief when her eyes scan the room. Table cloths falling at the right length, flower arrangements impeccable, candles littering the tables. The room looks just as she wanted it to. Like she planned.

"Ms. Jefferson," She turns when the young assistant hurries into the room. "Mr. Timberlake is here early. His car just pulled up."

"Thank you. Please let him know I'll be waiting in here for him." She gives the girl a curt nod as a dismissal.

She surveys the room in silence, trying to run over all the details in her head once last time before he walks in.

"Mackenzie, you've out done yourself this time." A deep male voice speaks behind her.

She allows a small smile to form on her face as she turns to see Preston Timberlake standing beside her, eyes roaming the room.  

Preston Timberlake was the owner and president of several upscale hotels in the Atlanta area and one of the most powerful men in the city. It was something that she both feared and admired. She had never met a man like him before and that was part of the reason why she respected him so much.

"Thank you sir." She says as they walk from the ballroom.

"How many times do I have to tell you? Preston." He smiles down at her and she ducks her head at his teasing tone. "I'm going to head up to my suite to get some work done but I'd like to meet you at six o'clock to go over any last minute details one last time."

"Of course."

"You've really done a great job Mackenzie." He turns to her. "If you keep it up, you'll be running all of my events, both for the hotels and my personal life."

"Thank you sir." The praise from him still sounds like the first time. Acceptance from Preston Timberlake is something no one takes lightly as it doesn't happen often.  

End Notes:
just an intro of sorts. and i swear i'm still working on the others
And so it begins by meggie

Mackenzie smoothed out the front of her dress in front of the mirror. She hadn't the slightest clue as to why Preston wanted to meet with her prior to the awards banquet. He seemed please with the ballroom earlier so she's hopeful that it's just another briefing before the ceremony starts.

Checking the room one last time to make sure she wasn't leaving anything she takes the elevator downstairs to the lobby. She makes her way across the marble floor, planner in hand, but stops when she hears a distinctive laugh.

Her eyes zone in on the front desk where the pretty girl behind the counter is giggling at the name standing in front of her. She scans the back of the name and narrows her eyes when she recognizes the leather jacket.

"Ugh." She groans out before turning on her heel and walking towards him.  She reaches out and taps the name on the shoulder. "What are you doing here?"

He holds a finger up to the girl, who blushes when her eyes meet Mackenzie's. He turns slowly and grins. "Hello to you too darlin'."

"What are you doing here?" The annoyance in her voice evident to anyone who might be listening. The young girl behind the counter quickly moves away.

She can feel the anger radiating out of her. This man has been the very bane of her existence since she started working for Preston. For every good quality that Preston possesses, Justin does not. Where Preston is hard working and determined, Justin was practically handed a scholarship to Princeton at birth. He never had to work for anything in his life and it infuriated Mackenzie to no end. She still had trouble believing that the two men were even related.

"You didn't think I'd miss dear old dad getting his big, fancy award did you?" Justin Timberlake leans back against the counter. "He'd be so upset if I did."

She knew this much was true. Ever since his wife had died several years ago, Preston turned his full attention to his only son. She thought it was the fear of being alone that made him reach out to Justin much more after that than ever before.

She eyes the jeans, t-shirt and jacket he's wearing. "It is a black tie event."

"Ah, that's why I have the monkey suit in a room upstairs."

She can feel her hands shaking in anger.

"Come on Mack, think of how much fun it'll be sitting with me." He wiggles his eyebrows.

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, silently counting to five. "You are not sitting near me."

"Oh contraire!" He leans in close to her and she straightens up. "I just had that cute little thing working for you change up the seating arrangements."

Her eyes snap open, fully ready to let him know that the seating was set in stone and anyone working for her knew better than to make any changes this close to an event without speaking with her. But before she could open her mouth a voice booms behind her.

"Justin!" Preston slides up beside her and brings his son in for a brief hug. "I'm so glad you made it."

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." His smile very much like his fathers. "It's not every day you get Businessman of the Year."

She looks up at Preston as he chuckles and brings Justin in for another hug. "Let me tie up some stuff with Mackenzie here, you go change and meet me back here in twenty minutes. I want to hear all about this new girl you're seeing."

Fighting the urge to roll her eyes when notes Justin's chest puff a little in pride, she turns to her boss. "If you'd like to follow me, everything is set to go."

"Go, go." Preston ushers Justin towards the elevators.

"I'm going." He reaches out and presses the up arrow. Turning his head over his shoulder, "Save me a seat Mack."

She grits her teeth and walks alongside Preston into the ballroom.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The pride that Mackenzie feels as she watches Preston make his acceptance speech is an all consuming one. She knows that he works hard every day to make sure that his businesses operate the way he wants. Nothing but perfection is what's expected. One of the endless traits she admires.

Preston Timberlake was a self-made millionaire by the time he was twenty-five years old. He bought out a small and dying hotel chair with inheritance from his grandparents and rebuilt the chair from the ground up. Changed the look, the practice, the personal, everything became upscale and high end. The cliental went from street workers and drug users to celebrities and socialites and royalty. His name was as well respected any big name in the business world, Gates, Hilton, Walton, Allen, he was ranked amongst them.

She flicks her hand when she feels like there's something on it. A minute later it happens again and she looks down to find a drop of water rolling down the back of her hand. Again she reaches out and wipes her hand dry before turning back to Preston.

Not even ten seconds later there are two more drops of water on the back of her hand but this time she can hear a muffled chuckle beside her.

Her head snaps to Justin as he tries unsuccessfully to cover a smile.

"What is wrong with you?" She hisses at him, careful not to draw attention to them.

"I'm bored." He shrugs, voice just as soft as her. "Let's get out of here."

Her eyes widen in shock. "You cannot leave now."

He glances up at his dad, "He'll never know."

"We are sitting right in front of him."

He can't help but smile at the look of pure frustration on her face. He loves to push her buttons. The simple pleasures in life make him happy.

"Chicken." He grins at her, leaning back in the chair, arms crossing over his chest.

She huffs and turns back towards the stage.

In his mind, Mackenzie Jefferson was as tightly wound as they come. Graduated a year early from high school in some podunk town, on a partial scholarship to Duke University before graduating a year early with honors. She packed up everything to her name and moved to Atlanta. Preston picked her up from a small wedding planner where her talents were being wasted.

Justin didn't understand how someone so young could be so old. Her life revolved around work and Preston's needs. Not to say he wasn't happy his dad found an employee he could trust and depend on but it seemed like every time he saw her, she was on the verge of exploding from stress. He knows he shouldn't but giving her a hard time was his way of getting her mind of work. Even if all it did was anger her.

Several hours later, the guests trailing out of the ballroom until there's just a handful of hotel staff cleaning up. Mackenzie watches Justin flirt with a tall blonde woman in the corner, both their heads close. A faint smile on her lips. She rolls her eyes, annoyed that a woman can be some easily charmed by him.

"Mackenzie, what are you still doing here?" Preston voices from behind her.

She turns, a bright smile on her face. "Just wanted to make sure that you didn't need anything else before I head out."

"You, my dear, work too hard." He shakes his head, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Take off already."

"If you're sure?"

"Go home." He wraps an arm around her shoulder, steering her to the door.

They stop at the door and she sneaks a glance over at Justin. He's now placing his jacket over her shoulders, the two of them heading towards where she knows there's a back door that leads to an elevator.

"I was wondering if you'd like to join for dinner next week?"

She blinks, completely taken back by the question. She had never thought of him like that. Sure she admired and respected him. She enjoyed his company and his stories. But anything other than that never crossed her mind.

He tilts his head to the side a little, almost as if he's trying to snap her out of her daze.

"Oh, yes. Of course." She stutters. She was going to choose the safe route on this one. "Is there another function coming up?" She reaches for her planner, prepared to write anything down.

"No, dear. Not work related."

"Oh." She swallows hard and he gives her a small smile. "Ok, yes."

"Good." His smile widens. "I'll have Tammy call you with the details."

She nods in understanding. So his assistant was going to be planning the date. If she could even call it that.

He helps her slip her jacket on and she can't help but think that his hands linger on her shoulders a little longer.

"Good night Mackenzie." He towers over her.

She's not sure what she's feeling but she can feel a smile tug at her lips. "Good night."

End Notes:
not proofread so get over it! hahaha kidding
Friend or frenemy? by meggie
Author's Notes:
not proofread but someone *coughglowcough* has asked me twice about this. i know, i suck but you still love me! so enjoy and ignore any mistakes that maybe in there.

THREE MONTHS LATER

"Mackenzie, Mr. Timberlake is on the phone for you." Katie, her new assistant's voice comes through the speaker phone.

"Thank you." A small smile tugs at her lips.

So much has changed in the last three months. Starting with her job. Preston has officially made her the head of all public relations for his hotels. This means more responsibility, more work, more money. It was turning out to be everything she wanted in a career. She couldn't remember a time when she had been happier.

Another change is her relationship with Preston. It had started off as what she can only describe as being courted. The diners, the little presents, the places they'd go, the theater, award banquets, openings. It was something she had never experienced before and she was really enjoying the lifestyle he was accustom to.

It did seem a little weird at first for her. The age difference. She had never dated anyone older than her, much less old enough to be her own father but he was always a perfect gentleman with her.  

"Hello." She answers the phone.

"Mack, what's this I hear your dating my old man?"

She inwardly groans at the sound of Justin's voice coming through the other line. It seems that he had finally caught wind of the relationship between her and Preston.

"What's it like banging someone old enough to be your dad?" He cackles.

"Shut up." She snaps. Instantly she feels out of control of this call. And embarrassed that he asked about the intimacy of their relationship. Not that it matters to him, but there was nothing intimate going on apart from a few innocent kisses. And she was ok with that. Sex had never held much appeal to her. "What do you want?"

He chuckles, "I need your expertise. Wanna do this huge New Years Eve thing and since you're the best, I want you."

"I don't think that's such a good idea."

"Why? I know you're not doing anything for the old man." It's true, she wasn't. But she was planning on enjoying that night. Completely alone in her apartment.  "Come on Mack, I really want this done right and you're the best there is. Please help me out."

She sighs. "Fine. But I'm doubling my fees since I'm under contract with Mr. Timberlake."

"I am Mr. Timberlake." He laughs and she rolls her eyes, tempted to hang up on him. "Don't worry about him. How'd you think I knew you didn't have anything going on? I'll give you a call later in the week to talk details."

"There's not some assistant I'm working with?" She asks, voice full of surprise.

"Hell no. Why would I pay someone to do what I'm perfectly capable to do myself?" He's still laughing and she can't help but feel slightly foolish. "Later."

He hangs up the phone before she can respond. She lets out a breath and hangs the phone back up in the cradle.

The last thing she wanted to do was plan an event for Justin. Mainly she didn't want to have to work with Justin. She found him to be obnoxious and self centered and arrogant. She had yet to find a trait in him that was commendable. And not that she would ever admit it to anyone but the revolving door of women she saw him with was something she found offensive and degrading as a woman. Not only that he would use them like socks but that the women seem to enjoy it and allow themselves to be treated that way.

"Mackenzie, there's a Grace Young here for you." Katie's voice sounds through the speaker on the phone again.

Confusion sets in her features as she stands behind her desk and makes her way to the front office. She can see the striking blonde standing by the large window that overlooks downtown Atlanta and she wonders what she's doing here.

Grace Young was a girl she met in college and they were barely friends. They had a few classes together and studied together a few times but Mackenzie never really considered them close friends. Grace, while nice was a little more outgoing and wild that Mackenzie was and she had spent many nights going out to parties and dating where Mackenzie spent those spare hours studying and doing extra credit assignments' for her teachers.

"Well this is a nice surprise." Mackenzie greets her with a smile. Grace turns and opens her arms in a hug. "What can I do for you?"

Grace glances at Katie sitting behind the desk and clears her throat. "Can we talk in private for a second?"

"Yeah, sure. Let's go to my office." She turns to Katie. "Please hold my calls."

The two women settle into their respective seats, Mackenzie behind her desk and Grace in front of her looking slightly nervous.

"I'm really sorry to just show up like this but I heard your office was in this area and figured I'd stop by for a few minutes." Grace says.

"Well I'm glad you did. It's been a few years." Mackenzie nods but has a feeling there's still an underlying reason they're sitting here. "What's new with you?"

"Not too much." She starts. "I was working in public relations for a while but didn't really like the direction the company I was working for was headed. So I quit."

"Good for you. Standing up for what you believe."

"Which brings me here." She hesitates. She shifts in the chair, uncrossing and then re-crossing her legs. "I was wondering if you're looking for any help. Even part time."

"Oh. Well, you caught me off guard here." Mackenzie laughs lightly but she can see the unease in Grace's eyes. "Tell you what, let your number with Katie at the front and I'll see what I've got and give you a call in a few days."

"Really?"

She nods. "I just booked a New Years Eve event that I will most likely need an extra set of hands for. So once I meet with the hosting party and find out what he needs, I'll give you a call."

"That's great!" They both stand and Grace reaches out to shake her hand. "Thank you so much."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The jazz music plays softly in the bedroom and Mackenzie stands in front of her mirror applying eye shadow to her lids. Stepping back from the counter she reaches for the hair clip beside the sink and pulls her hair back before fastening the clip securely at the nape of her neck.  She grabs a pair of black pumps from the closet and slides them on her feet, her legs looking longer under the blue dress.

Hurrying from the bathroom she turns off the music just as there's a knock at her front door. She smoothes out the front of the dress and fluffs her hair before opening the door.

"Hi." She breathes and smiles when she sees Preston standing in front of her, flowers in hand. Red roses.

"These would be for you my dear." He greets her. "It's a shame they are only half as beautiful as you look tonight."

She blushes and takes the flowers from him. "Thank you very much." She opens the door for him to come inside and he presses a quick kiss to her cheek. "Just let me put these in some water and we can go, alright?"

"Take your time." He wanders into the living room but not venturing too far in. "I'm a little early so we have some time."

After putting the flowers into a vase and placing it in the center of her small kitchen table, "Ok, I'm ready when you are."

"Fantastic." He turns to her. "I booked us a table at Rathbun, downtown."

"That sounds delicious." She locks the door behind her and takes his arm as he leads her to the town car where the driver is waiting for them, door already opened.

"Justin tells me that you've to plan his New Years Eve event." Preston turns to her once they've settled.

"Yes. He called the other day and I didn't have a good reason to turn him down." She tells him, the annoyance in her voice coming across loud and clear.

He chuckles deep in his chest and she can't help but shy away from him a little, mostly out of fear that she's offended him. This is his son after all. "That boy is more trouble that he knows. And I don't blame you for not wanting to do this." He grins at her and she relaxes. "But he is my boy and for that I will always love him."

"I'm just hoping it goes smoothly and without either of us killing each other." She returns the grin. "I'm meeting with him tomorrow afternoon at the venue."

"It'll go well." He reassures her in a fatherly manner. "This is the one thing he does all year that matters to him and he takes it very seriously. You shouldn't have any issues with him."

She sits in silence wondering what he met by that. She had never known Justin to take anything seriously. Except for maybe he's next conquest at a party but that's all.

"Anything else interesting happen while I was away?" His voice breaks her from her thoughts.

She bites her bottom lip, contemplating. "I had an old friend from college stop by looking for a job."

He grunts. "Working with friends is always a bad move. It never ends pretty."

"I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about it." She turns to face him fully, always open to his opinion. "We aren't really friends as we were classmates. We never actually hung out and did things together. So I don't really know her that well."

"What was she doing before coming to her?"

"She was working in public relations and she said she didn't like where the company was going so she quit. I know her reputation for work and I've heard her name here and there so she's good. And if Justin's event is going to be big, then I could use the extra help." She shrugs.

He hums as if he's in thought. "You know, you are going to need some extra help with Justin. I remember last year he changed his mind on everything two weeks before the party. The poor guy he had hired almost had a panic attack trying to get everything done in time." He pauses. "Maybe it's a good idea to bring her to the meeting with him and see how they gel. If it doesn't work out then you're off scot- free."

She nods as the car slows to a stop in front of the restaurant. "Maybe I'll do that."

"Good girl." He smiles at her before stepping out of the car.

A Softer Side by meggie
Author's Notes:
not proofread but trust me when i say that i wrote this is 2 hours. no lie. so go me!

She maneuvers the black Honda through the gap created between the metal chain link fence and starts to worry about their safety. This place looks exactly like one of those scary abandoned warehouses where serial killers took their victims to mutilate their bodies.

A large brick building with two oversized metal doors, overgrown and under cared for shrubs and grass scattered all over the ground. That is once you get past the rock scattered parking lot. At least none of the windows were broken. None that she could see at least.

"Do you know what we're doing here?" Grace whispers from the passenger seat, eyes wide in wonderment.

Mackenzie shakes her head, eyes never leaving the car in front of her. "Hoping we aren't about to be killed."

A giggle escapes from Grace as Justin exits his black BMW. "At least he's nice to look at."

Rolling her eyes, "Until he opens his mouth."

The two women climb out of the car, their heels getting dirty with the simple act of stepping onto the makeshift parking lot.

"This is it!" Justin calls, motioning to the building behind him. "What'd you think?"

"This?  You are aware I'm a party planner. Not a miracle worker." Mackenzie gives him a dubious look. "I'm not even God."

"I know that Mack." Justin grins but rolls his eyes. "But you da best. You can make this happen."

"Justin, you've brought us out to what I can only assume is a drug house for bums and you expect me to make it the venue for your New Year Eve party." She stands, hands on her hips, Grace looking back and forth between the two of them, mildly amused at their interaction. "No one can do this."

"Yeah, well, you're going to put your thinking cap on and make it happen." He smirks at her. "Because I bought the place and this is where we're having it."

Both women open their mouths in shock and stare at him.

"Come on." He turns and walks towards the building. "Let me show you want we need to do."

Grace looks at Mackenzie. "Is he serious?"

Blinking, she turns to her counterpart, "It would appear so." She straightens. "He is an utter moron."

"How many days until this needs to be ready to go?" Grace asks in hushed tones as they trail behind Justin.

Doing the quick math in her head, "We have 28 days to make the impossible happen."

"It's not impossible Mack." Justin calls over his shoulder as he pulls both doors toward him. A cloud of sand falls from the top of the doors and both girls step back quickly to avoid getting it on their clothes. "You just need to have a little faith." He brushes the sand off his clothes and looks at her over his shoulder. "And imagination."

She shakes her head but keeps her mouth shut. There is no way that she can make this happen for him. It's not just him that she concerned with. Her name is going to be on the press release for the party and she has a reputation to uphold. When this party comes tumbling down around her, she knows that she is going to be the blame. It's part of her job.

She steps cautiously into the building and surveys the space in front of her. The room opens up into a large area that could easily hold both a proper dance floor and enough tables for the guests. Beyond that there's a landing that would fit a five-piece band or two DJ's with room to spare. The ceiling was contrasted of iron beams that could be disguised with draping cloth and lights.

"See? I told you." Justin smarts off. "I can see it on your face."

"Just because there's a look on my face does not equate to my approval." She snaps and she can see Grace grin out of the corner of her eye. "You'd have to pass a health inspection, get a liquor license, get a cleaning crew to come in, a lighting crew, a plummer-" She cranes her head around the room. "Does this place even have restrooms?"

"In the back." He rocks on his heels, hands shoved in the pockets of his leather jacket. "The health inspector will be here next week. I've got the liquor on speed dial. And the plummer was already here, got a clean bill of health."

"You've done your homework." Grace comments and walks across the room. "You know, once you get this place cleaned up, I really think this could work."

Mackenzie narrows her eyes at her. "It's not enough time."

"You're just a regular Debbie Downer today aren't you?" Justin huffs. He turns to Grace, "She's not usually like this. Maybe she needs to get laid."

"Shut up." She snaps and crosses her arms over her chest, annoyed as both of them laugh at her.

"Speaking of, is that why dad bailed on me for our meeting tomorrow night?" Justin turns back to her. "You got a hot date? Did he pick his girlfriend over his own son?"

She opens her mouth to speak but never gets to say anything.

"Hold it right there!" Grace burst out and hurries back toward them where she stops next to Justin.  "She's dating your dad? You're dating his dad?!?"

"I don't see how that is any of your business. What I do-"

"She's practically my stepmom." Justin gives her a cheeky grin. "Right mom?"

"This is ridiculous." She turns on her heels and stumbles over the rock covered path towards her car. "Let's go Grace."

"Mackenzie, wait!' Grace calls after her and she can head Justin's laughter over the clicking of Grace's heels on the concrete floor.

Mashing the button on her keychain the lights of the car flash and she yanks the drivers' side door open and waiting for Grace to get in. Behind the pretty blonde Justin is still laughing as he locks the metal doors up.

"Sorry." Grace mutters from the inside of the car.

She turns to climb into the car but Justin's voice stops her.

"So I'll stop by tomorrow and we can hash this out."

She slams the door shut and marches over to where he's standing next to his car, "Listen to me, you are going to stop mocking and ridiculing me." She points at finger at him and he's unable to keep a small grin for pulling at his lips. "I'm going to make this happen for you not because of your father but because you're right. I am the best. And because you're my client. So you better start treating me with the professionalism you treat all your business partners. Because that's what we are. And when this is done, you pay me and leave me alone."

Her face flushed from anger she steps back from him and then feels another flush of embarrassment for having gone off the handle at him like that.

Completely delighted at her sudden lashing and the just sudden look of resentment of the outburst, he simply nods his head.

"Good." She retorts and hurries back to her car, her heel turning on a rock and she grabs the hood of her car to steady herself.

A laugh escapes him and turn snaps her head to him, eyes full of anger and he shuts up quickly but brings a hand up to give a little wave with his fingers.

"See you tomorrow princess." He calls as she slams her door shut and throws her car in reverse, sending gravel and rocks flying everywhere.

Twenty minutes into the silent car ride, Grace glances at Mackenzie. Finding her eyes fixated on the road in front of her, she begins to chew on her lip.

"What?"

Grace looks at her, surprised at the harshness in her voice. "Nothing."

"What?" Mackenzie asks again. "You obviously have something to say, so say it."

She licks her lips, "So is that true? About Justin's dad being your boyfriend?"

"Not that it's any of your concern, we are dating. Yes."

"But he's old! He's old enough to be your dad."

"A mouth filter would make an excellent Christmas gift for you."

Grace snaps her mouth close and ducks her head. "Sorry."

Heaving a sigh, "It's fine. I'm sorry."

A quiet moment passes between them. They're nearing closer to downtown at will soon be reaching the office. She's still unsure if Mackenzie was going to offer her a job and as badly as she wanted to keep questioning the Preston thing she knew better.

"I'm going to offer this job as a trail run. Clearly Justin is going to make this an infeasible event so I'm going to need as much help as I can get." Mackenzie starts. "We get through this, see how you do. Evaluate your performance and proceed from there. Can you handle that?"

"Yes. Of course." She nods. "Thank you so much."

Holding up a hand, "It's nothing. I can't stomach him alone and you two seem to not want to kill each other so I'm going to make you second in command for this. You will answer to me and report to me. Every single detail or decision needs to go through me before you do anything. Understood?"

"Of course." She nods again.

She whips the car into her parking spot in the deck and turns the car off. "Be here tomorrow morning at 8 am and we'll go over pay."

"Yes ma'am."

They get out of the car and Mackenzie gathers her stuff from the backseat, stacking it on the hood of the car, "Don't call me ma'am. I'm not that old." She cracks a smile and which Grace returns. "Go home, I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Ok. Thank you again." She backs away from the car. "Good night."

XXXXXXXXXXX

"Mack." Justin enters the office, coffee cup in hand.

"Justin." She nods at him as he pads across the room and takes a seat in the chair in front of her desk. "Thank you for coming."

"As if you'd let me miss this." He slouches down in the chair. "Alright, let's do this. I gotta be somewhere later."

She closes her eyes a second before reaching for a pen and flipping open the planner for the party. "So the health inspector is coming next week. That's great. I'll need to be there when he is."

"Tuesday at ten." He brings the cup to his lips. "He'll be expecting you."

"You'll need to be there as well." She's jotting down notes. "I'll need the phone number to your liquor guy so I can contact him in regards to that."

"He's a she." He leers at her.

"Of course she is." She looks up at him. "I'll need her name and number then. Now since we're waiting to the last minute to book everything, I'll have to contact everyone today. So let's have at it."

"Have at what?" He looks up at her confused.

She lets out a breath, "Cater? DJ or band? Guest list? Florist? Party favors? Sponsor?"

"Oh, I've got the sponsor thing under control."

She curved an eyebrow at him, thinking it was some stupid ‘Girls Gone Wild' magazine. "I'd like to meet with them."

He nods and takes another pull from the coffee cup, grimacing as it goes down. "I'm going this afternoon to tie the loose ends up. You can come with." He pauses. "I'll even buy you dinner if it runs late. But don't tell Preston. I hate to cause a rift in the relationship."

She clenches her jaw but continues, "Have you given any thought to anything else?"

"You're the party planner." He states and rolls his head back. "You're supposed to take care of this."

"I know that." She slams the pen down a little harder than intended. "But please remember this is your party. I'll make this easy for you. Just give me one word answers and I'll go off that."

"Shoot." He sits up in the chair. "I was always good with tests."

Shaking her head, she picks the pen back up. "Food?"

"Light. Heavy hor' dourves at the most."

"DJ or band?"

"Two DJs."

"Florists?"

"You pick. That's a chick thing."

"Any type of party favor?"

"Being invited is enough right?" He asks and she stops writing and looks up at him. "Kidding Mack. God, you need to get laid."

"I thought we agreed that you lay off the lewd remarks."

"No." He shook his head. "You demanded then left. I never agreed to anything."

Knowing she was fighting a losing battle she presses on. "I'll come up with something. Nevermind."

"Nothing too expensive. I've got to pay for this."

"How many guests are you planning?"

"You mean how many have I told?"

She looks up at him, "Excuse me?"

He furrows his eyes, "Huh?"

"You've told people instead of sending out invitations?"

"Yeah." He shrugs. "What's big deal?"

"Oh God." She sits back in her seat and he can see her start to panic. Her chest his rising and falling quickly as she tries to compose her breathing. There's a small twitch in her left eyebrow that he finds slightly endearing.

"I'm kidding!" He leans forward and puts the cup down on her desk. "Relax. I'll email you the list tonight. There's about 200 people on it."

It takes her several long seconds to get her heart rate and breathing back to normal. Fearing this man is going to be the death of her she leans forward, "Not funny."

He chuckles and tilts the chair back on the back two legs, "It kinda was."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The car rolls to a stop and Mackenzie looks up from the Blackberry and her planner. "Where are we?"

"The sponsor." Justin says and turns the car off and getting out. "Let's go. We've got a meeting."

She quickly follow suit, planner clutched tightly against her chest.

They walk into the building and there's a distant smell of clean and copy paper that fills her nose. She looks around the room unable to place where they are. The pale beige walls and standard waiting room furniture giving nothing away.

"Hey there." Justin leans against the desk. A cute red head flashes him a bright smile. "Justin Timberlake for Bonnie Meeks."

"One second." She continues to smile. She types something into the computer and looks back up at them. "If you want to take a seat, she'll be one moment."

"Thanks doll." Justin returns her smile before sitting down in on one of the couches.

"Where are we?" Mackenzie asks, still looking around the room trying to pick up a clue as to where they are.

"Shhh." He puts a finger over his lips. "Just sit back and look cute."

She huffs at his comment and sits back in the seat.

"That was not a come on." He leans in close to her. "Dad taught me better than to make a move on a taken woman."

"You-"

"Justin! So nice to see you again."

They both stand when Bonnie walks into the room.

Mackenzie watches the two embrace warmly and chat a few minutes quietly before Justin turns to her. "Bonnie, this is Mack. My party planner."

She raises an eyebrow at him. "Party planner this year? That's an improvement."

"Last year was so good that I needed an expert this go ‘round."

"Hi, Bonnie Meeks." She reaches out and shakes Mackenzie's hand.

"Mackenzie Jefferson."

"Nice to meet you." She turns to Justin. "Let's head on back."

The three of them settle in around a conference table and Mackenzie pulls out her planner and pen ready to take notes but it seems that the other two would much rather make small talk. She sits there and listens to them for several minutes before Bonnie clears her throat.

"Looks like your party planner is ready to get this show on the road." She motions towards Mackenzie.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Mackenzie shakes her head. "I didn't mean anything."

"She's adorable." Bonnie sneaks a look at Justin.

"Yeah, well she's spoken for." He winks at Mackenzie.

Bonnie lets out a quick laugh. "Good thing. You're a heartbreaker."

"You listen to too much gossip." He shakes a finger at her.

"Maybe so." She straightens up in the chair and opens the folder in front of her. "Alright, let's go over these details, you sign, I sign and we're done."

"Go." Justin nods.

"I...I'm sorry but can I interrupt for a second?" Mackenzie leans forward and they both turn to her. "I don't mean to be rude but I don't even know who you are."

"Sure you do Mack. This is Bonnie." He turns to the older woman. "Short term memory. I should have gone with another party planner."

"You haven't told her?" Bonnie glares at him. "You are the devil."

"You hush your mouth." Justin sasses at her but both women can see the teasing in his eyes.

"I'm the public relations director for St Jude's here in Atlanta." Bonnie tells her. "We work with Justin every year as a sponsor and fundraiser of sorts. He sells dinner plates and there's a cover charge or purchase price for the ticket where all proceeds to directly to St Jude. A vast majority of that going to research and funding. The remainder usually towards toys and trips, mainly the Make a Wish Foundation."

Mackenzie turns to Justin, in complete and total shock. She never would have expected this to be Justin's party sponsor. And even more shocked to find out that they've hosted his party every year. If she remembers correctly this will be his sixth year hosting this party.

She stares at Justin, unable to really process a complete sentence.

"He's a big part of the hospital and the kids love him." Bonnie goes on. "They really light up when he comes in."

She continues to look at him as he sits there, his head bowed towards Bonnie as they finalize the details for the party. This is a side of Justin that she never knew existed, much less find him so open about it. She watches as he interacts with Bonnie, both of them nodding their heads and gesturing with their hands.

She'd never admit it but she can't help but be touched by this other side of him.

End Notes:
well?? two updates in a week!
A new reign by meggie
Author's Notes:
not proofread and a little shorte. sue me. but love me too! hahaha

"Preston, we're going to be late if you don't put a little pep in your step." She grins up at him as he saunters down the staircase slowly.

Chuckling he says, "We are not going to be late. Besides I've got something for you."

Mackenzie watches as he slides the black suit jacket on before reaching into the inside breast pocket and pulling out a small, black velvet box.

"What is that?" She asks him as he steps closer to her with a wide smile.

"Just a little something I saw that reminded me of you." He holds it out in the palm of his hand. "Open it."

Her eyes dance back and forth between the black box and his face for several long seconds before reaching out with slightly shaking hands and lifting the lid. Her breathing catches in her throat when she finds pair of beautiful emerald cut diamond earrings. The size of the each diamond is completely overwhelming to her and in the back of her mind she's a little fearful they'll be heavy in her ears.

"They're 5-carat Harry Winston's." He says softly as she stands there just staring at the box. "They're a brilliant cut and perfect clarity. They're stunning, much like you are my dear."

With wide eyes she looks up at him and finds a warm smile on his face. "I....this is too much Preston. I can't accept this."

"You wouldn't break an old man's heart would you?" He says reaching out and plucks the stones from the box. "I'd be honored if you wore them tonight."

She opens her mouth to object but the look on his face as he holds them out stops her. He looks like if she were to say no and deny him, it would crush him. He looks so happy to be giving her a gift that to him, represents something. What that something is, she's not sure and if she's honest with herself she's not sure she's ready to find out.

"Thank you." She says quietly as she attaches them to her earlobe.

"You're welcome." He leans in and presses a kiss to her cheek. "Now, let's get going before we're late."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Great, we need to get the lighting and ceiling draping up as soon as we can do I can see what else we're going to need before the party." Mackenzie tells Grace, who's quickly jotting down notes as they walk the room. "Also, have he finally picked the caterer?"

Grace opens her mouth but is cut off before she can say anything.

"He, has a name Mack." Justin's voice booms from the doorway of the warehouse. "And yes, I have picked a caterer. Lay off poor Gracie a little bit."

Grace lets out an undeniably girly giggle and Mackenzie can't help but roll her eyes. The last thing she needs is for Grace to get a crush on him. It would only make him more unbearable.

"That only took three days longer than necessary." She mutters under her breath as he survey's the room, slapping a rolled up newspaper in his hand. "Have you picked out your DJ's yet?"

"Yep. I already left a message with the girl at your office." He spins to face the two women. "Lemme ask you something, how do you like your new title?"

"Excuse me?" Mackenzie quirks and eyebrow at him.

"You've been dubbed the new Princess of ATL." He unrolls the paper and points at a photo of her and Preston at the event from the previous night. "I like that. Princess of ATL. Has a nice ring to it."

"Are you kidding me?" Grace snatches the paper out of his hands. Her eyes scan the page quickly and she lets out a laugh. "This is insane! Look at this?" She holds the paper out to Mackenzie who rolls her but grabs hold of the paper.

There right in the middle of the social section is a photo of herself and Preston at the opening for the new wing at Saint Joseph's Hospital. The photo caption read ‘The King of ATL takes a new Queen...or maybe a new Princess'.

"So tell me Princess, where are those new earrings?" Justin smirks. "I'd like to see those bad boys up close."

Grace's head snaps back to the photo and a small gasp escapes her lips when she sees the earrings. "Holy shit Mackenzie. How big are those things?"

Justin leans over to sneak another look at the picture. "I'd take a guess at maybe 4-carats or so. How close am I?"

"Four carats?!" Grace turns to her wide eyed. "Four fucking carats?"

Justin laughs when Mackenzie blushes and says, "Five carats."

"Five!?!" Grace yells and Justin laughs harder. "When's the wedding?"

"There is no wedding!" Mackenzie snaps and quickly moves across the room to double check the bar that has just been installed. "And you, what pleasure are you getting out of this?"

"I just like watching you squirm." Justin shrugs. "Makes my day a little brighter."

"You better stop messing with her." Grace bumps his shoulder. "She's gonna go all crazy girl on you one of these days."

"Mack doesn't have an angry bone in her body. She'd never hurt anyone much less shock anyone."

"I wouldn't be so sure of that." Grace sneaks a look at Mackenzie who's busy flipping through her planner and pulling out her cell phone. "I've known her a long time."

"You sound like you know something that I'd love to know." He gives her a look that she's sure is one he's used before when charming a girl. "How ‘bout you share that information with me? It'll be our little secret."

"I don't think she'd be very happy with me if I did."

He waves a hand. "Hey mom, Grace is gonna fill me in a little on your friendship. You don't mind do you?"

Mackenzie holds up a free hand, the other holding the cell phone to her ear. Waving him off she walks outside still chatting with whoever's on the other line.

"See? Go ahead." Justin grins at her. "Let it all out."

Grace bites her lips and looks at the door where her boss just walked out. "Well, she just, she's not what she appears. She's got a whole other side to her that she keeps wrapped up that it the polar opposite of what you see every day."

"Go on."

"Look, there was one time, after finals our junior year, that she went a little wild."

Justin was practically bouncing with excitement. He's known Mackenzie for a few years now and she has always come off as very straight laced and proper.

"She never went to parties with us or did anything fun. But I had finally convinced her to come out with me this one time and she got hammered." Grace giggles at the memory. "So when the party is slowing down and everyone's leaving? There's just a few of us left, one of the guys suggest we go to a strip club and Mackenzie was all for it. She couldn't get there fast enough."

"Oh my God."

"Oh it gets better." She smiles at him before shooting another look at the door. "They were having amateur night."

"No." He says, eyes wide and a giddy grin forming on his face.

"Yes." She nods. "Just jumps on stage and lets it go. I mean, I have never in my life seen anyone like that. She was just.......she was hurting the next morning but I have never seen a person so happy before."

He lets out a hearty laugh, his head thrown back, hands over his stomach and unable to get control. "That is fucking awesome!"

"You can't ever repeat that!" She scolds him.

He mock zips his lips and hands her the key. "Your secret is safe with me."

"I swear Justin. She'd kill me if she knew I told you that." She chews nervously on her bottom lip. "This can never leave this room."

Justin looks towards the door and cannot help the smile on his face as he watches Mackenzie pacing back and forth outside. The phone pressed to her ear, her black pants snug around her hips and stopping just before touching the ground. The blouse she's wearing covered by a black vest. Sure, she's a pretty girl but she's not exactly the type of girl he pictures dancing at an armature strip.

He knows he's made a promise to never mention this to her but the devil sitting on his shoulder is already thinking up way to torment her.

Christmas Surprise by meggie
Author's Notes:
totally not proofread. bed.

"Watch this." Justin grins at Grace from behind the bar.

"What are you doing?" She hisses back in a whisper, eyes darting to the entrance where Mackenzie stands talking to one of the men from the lighting crew.

The grin turns into an evil smirk and he brings a finger up over his lips. "Just watch."

Grace stands there helplessly as Justin grabs the remote off the bar top and hits a few buttons.

Suddenly, blaring out of the speakers than had been installed yesterday was the stripper anthem heard round the world,   Def Leppard's ‘Pour some sugar on me'.

Grace lets out a giggle that never would have been able to be contained and Justin starts to dance behind the bar. They both watch Mackenzie finish up her conversation and the man walks out towards his car leaving the three of them alone.

"What is this crap playing for?" Mackenzie barks from where she stands, her hands on her hips.

Justin stops dancing and turns to her. "You don't recognize it?" Grace shots him a look but he continues to grin.

"Of course I recognize it." She rolls her eyes. "Why are we listening to it?"

Again Grace gives him a pleading look and he just laughs.

"No reason." He shrugs and turns the volume down. "Just thought it'd put you in a better mood. It is Christmas Eve after all."

"With that said, you can head on home Grace." Mackenzie rolls her neck. "I'm sure you've got somewhere else to be."

"Really?" She asks, not wanting to get her hopes too high. They've been putting in all sorts of hours in at the office and at the warehouse trying to get it ready for the party next week.

"Yeah, go on. We're finished here anyways."

"Great! Thanks so much." She turns to grab her jacket and her belongings. "Wait! Don't you need a ride back to the office?"

"Oh. Yeah." Mackenzie remembers that they rode over together.

"I've got you." Justin speaks up.

Both women turn to him.

"Why?" Mackenzie demands.

He shrugs. "It's Christmas. We're going to the same place. I can drive. No biggie."

"Well I guess that's settled." Grace smiles. "Merry Christmas!"

She hurries out the door and to her car. They both watch as she practically runs outside and to her car. Mackenzie giggles when the sounds of rocks being thrown as Grace peels out of the parking lot.

"We probably should get that paved before the party." She turns to Justin.

"As you wish." He bows down and she lets out a laugh.

He quirks an eyebrow at her. "Was that a laugh? Surely you didn't just laugh at something I said?"

She snorts and waves a hand to dismiss him. "Lapse of judgment. Or oxygen."

"And with a snappy comeback." He nods his head, biting his lip to hide the smile. "What's gotten into you Princess?"

"Are you going to keep calling me that?" She snaps at him.

"Depends." He pauses. "Does it bother you?"

She rolls her eyes and walks to the other bar that had been installed to grab her bag and jacket. Answering that question would only add fuel to the fire.

 "We're leaving now?" He grins at her as she shoves her arms through her jacket. She narrows her eyes at him and he chuckles under his breath. "I'll take that as a yes."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"This is nice." Preston sighs deeply from his spot on the couch, stealing a look at both Justin and Mackenzie. "Thank you both for being here."

Seated beside him, she reaches out and places a hand on his. "Of course."

Justin looks at their hands and fights the urge to rolls his eyes.

Not that he's disturbed or grossed out by their relationship. But more so that it's so very typical of his father as of the last several years. A happily married man for 34 years but after the passing of his wife, Preston started dating women much, much younger than him.

Justin thought it was a phase and it would pass, mostly because the women were flakey and money hungry. None of them lasted more than a few weeks but Mackenzie has been around for almost four months and if he knows his dad, he's thinking it's time to settle down with her.

The very thought makes him choke on his rum and coke.

"You alright?" Preston turns to him.

Couching he nods his head. Taking a breath he swallows. "Yep, all good."

The elder Timberlake eyes him a minute before nodding. "Alright, let's do these gifts now."

"What?" Mackenzie looks at him, eyes wide. "It's not Christmas day. You'll ruin it."

"I think we'll be ok Mack." Justin says with a smile.

She rolls her eyes as Preston reaches under the tree and grabs two boxes, a smaller one and a large, flat one which he hands to Justin.

"I'll need your car one day next week." Justin greedily reaches for the box and tearing into it. "The dealership is gonna install the new sound system." He looks up. "Merry Christmas."

Preston laughs and sits back down beside Mackenzie. "How many times do I have to tell you, I don't need a sound system in the car."

Justin stops unwrapping and looks up at his father. "Yes, that car is a beast and you need something better than that piece of shit factory system they have. Besides, it's a gift and it's paid for."

Mackenzie rolls her eyes as Preston hands her the small box before leaning in and pressing a kiss to her forehead. "Merry Christmas dear."

"You didn't have to." She holds the box in her hands. "The earrings were more than enough."

"Nonsense." He settles back on the couch as Justin starts opening the new laptop box without even glancing in their direction.

She bites her tongue to refrain from saying a smart comment to him about how it was rude to not see what everyone else got since they paid attention to him but this wasn't her home and ruffling any feathers is not what she wants to do on Christmas. No matter how much she dislikes him.

"Go on Mack." Justin opens the laptop and stars pressing the keys. "I already know what it is."

Heaving a sigh she gently unwraps the box and opens it. Inside lays a beautiful diamond cross necklace. It was stunning but big. Entirely too big for her. She looks up at him to protest but stops when she sees the look on his face.

It's hopeful and wishing and adoring.

There's no way she can break his heart.

"Thank you." She whispers.

Preston's face lights up and he visibly breathes a sigh of relief. "There's one more thing." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out an envelope.

"What's this?" She reaches out and takes it from him. He just shrugs and she rips it open. Inside is her every childhood dream come true.

"Well what the hell is it Mack?" Justin barks from the floor.

She blinks at him before looking back in the envelope. Two round trip plan tickets to Greece with an open date range.

She turns to the elder Timberlake and a lone tear slides down her cheek.

"That good?" He grins at her.

She can only nod her head before throwing her arms around him in a hug. "Thank you so much."

"You're welcome." He gives her a squeeze before pulling away.

Suddenly Justin jumps up. "Oh! I got you something too."

Her head snaps in his direction as he pulls a box from under the tree. "Just a little something to....to let you know that I know you a little better than I think you do."

She eyes him skeptically when he gives her a slightly corrupt smile. "I don't want it."

"Mackenzie." Preston chuckles beside her. "it's Christmas."

Turning back to Justin she holds her hands out. "Let's have it."

With a laugh, he hands her the box. "Merry Christmas mo-" He stops when she shoots him a look, already knowing where he's going with that. "Mackenzie." He corrections himself with another laugh.

Pulling the box into her lap she stares at it a second before opening it. Under the wrapping paper is simple black box.

"It's not the box." Justin smarts. "It's on the inside."

She gives Preston a helpless look before pulling the lid off. "Oh God."  The lid drops to the floor and Justin lets out an uncontrollable laugh. "Is this for real?"

"What?" Preston looks in the box. "They're shoes. Women like shoes, right?"

She looks at him and back to Justin who just shrugs. Inside the box was a pair of 6 inch, red, platform, vinyl shoes. "Um, well. Ok then. Thank you."

"Anytime." Justin smiles brightly at her.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Thanks again for the ride home."

Justin watches her from the corner of his eye. He flexes his wrist around the steering wheel. "No biggie." He shrugs. "I was headed out anyways."

""Well, thanks." Mackenzie closes her eyes and rests her head against the back of the soft seat. "Stripper shoes?"

Justin starts laughing again and she cracks an eye at him. "I never said they were stripper shoes."

"They shiny, red platforms. Where would I ever wear them?"

"New Years Eve?" He grins at the thought.

She groans. "You're demented."

"You love me."

"I despise you."

"Come on Mack." He's still laughing. "It was a gag gift. I thought you'd laugh. Clearly you have no sense of humor."

"It was tasteless." She rolls her eyes.

He's still laughing as he pulls into her parking lot and throws the gearshift into park. "Relax mom. I have a real present for you."

She watches as he reaches behind him and pulls a brown flat bag from the backseat floorboard. "What is that?"

"Damn woman." He sits up and hands it to her. "Can't you ever just take a gift and be happy?"

She huffs and crosses her arms over her chest.

"Take the stupid thing." He shoves it at her, highly amused at her childish behavior.

She eyes the package before snatching it from his hand. Sliding her hand into the opening she pulls out a record. Flipping it over her eyes go wide and her mouth drops open. Justin watches with a feeling of pride and pure happiness as she runs her fingers of the record cover slowly.

He spent weeks searching and tracking down a signed copy of ‘Rubber Soul' after he had heard her humming ‘In my Life' one afternoon.

"Justin." She whispers, her eyes never leaving the record.

Something inside him reacts to the tone of her voice and while he welcomes in, it makes him a little uncomfortable.

She suddenly turns to him and her eyes are bright with unshed tears. "You have....no idea." She chokes out and he blushes under her intense stare. "Thank you so much."

Before he can react or say anything she's pressed a quick kiss on his check and climbing out of his car. He can only sit there and watch her walk towards her apartment in a dream-like haze.

Crossing the line by meggie
Author's Notes:

hey- i'm a feature story! woot woot. very excited and hoping i don't mess this up for you guys. thanks glow for using your super power ranger powers to make this happen! *hugs*

Justin watches her from across the crowded room and can't help but appreciate that it's New Years Eve and that means most women shorten the hem lines of dresses. The long legs sticking out of the bottom of the blue dress are only more enticing to him as they stand perched atop a pair of towering black heels that he's sure cannot feel good to her feet. He licks his lips as he watches the woman's hips sway when she walks towards the back of the large and completely lavish warehouse.

Maybe if he plays his cards right, he'll have a companion in his car for the drive home. Unlike his silent and lonely ride here earlier this evening.

"Stare much?" Grace grins as she slides up beside him.

He turns and smiles at her. "I'm just enjoying the view."

With a shake of her head, she laughs. "Well you better not let her catching you staring at her like that."

"Her who?"

"Mackenzie."

His mouth drops open in surprise before he turns to look at the same mystery woman he's been eyeing for the last twenty minutes. Slowly she starts to turn towards the front of the building and he almost swallows his own tongue. The slightly snobby party planner has been replaced by this sexy woman who he had no idea even existed.  

"I told you there was a secret side to her." Grace bumps her shoulder with his. "Need anything?"

He shakes his head, eyes unable to pull away from the brunette who has infiltrated his mind more than a few times in the last several days. He's blaming it on the fact that he's lonely and hasn't been on a date in weeks. Completely out of the norm for him.

And if he's honest with himself, that kiss she pressed on his cheek last week did more than unsettle his nerves.

"You look like a dog in heat." Grace says snapping a finger in front of his face. "What is the deal?"

"Nothing. She just looks....different." He shrugs and forces his eyes to look at the blonde in front of him.

"Different how?" She teases.

He scoffs and pushes himself off the wall he had been occupying for the last half hour. "She's got that stick outta her ass."

He leaves Grace standing there but her laughter rings in his ears.

Making his way through the crowd, it's like his feet have a mind of their own, leading him directly towards Mackenzie. He nods his head and gives a little wave to his guests but doesn't stop until he reaches his target.

"Justin." She says without looking at him.

"Mack." He responds in the same flat, monotone she greeted him with.

"What'd you want?" She rounds the bar and hands the bartender a piece of paper with a list of her large, bubbly handwriting on it.

He watches her speak in hushed tones with the bartender before she sighs and turns back to him. He gives her a winning smile in hopes of making her smile.

"What?" She snaps brushing past him and towards the back of the building where he knows is a room they had converted into a storage room.

"Just checkin' in with my party planner." He trails after her, eyes dipping down to long legs.

She glances over her shoulder and he quickly looks up at her. "What do you want?"

"Damn Mack, relax." She turns the corner to the hallways and he's still following her. "I'm just checking to see how things are going. Do you need anything? Can I help with anything?"

She pushes open the door to the storage room and he steps into the room as the door closes. "The party is fine. Everything is moving well, except we seem to be running low on booze." She side steps a stack of beer cases. "Surprise, surprise."

"Is that a dig at me?" He crosses his arms over his check, watching her head moving behind one of the shelves. "Because I don't take kindly to mocking on a holiday."

"It's not mocking if it's the truth." She mutters, doing a quick tally of the remaining cases of alcohol in front of her. "Shit, I'm going to have to send someone for a restock."

"Ooooh, I love it when you talk dirty." He smirks at her and she rolls her eyes. "Why don't you just calm down. It's not like we're going to actually run out."

"I need to be prepared for whatever might happen." She moves to stand in front of him. "You hired a party planner for a reason, let me do my job."

He can see her quickly losing her patience and it only excites him more.  He loves to push her buttons and get her all riled up and if this conversation continues he knows she's going to lose it. They've found some sort of balance in the last week and have been working together smoothly with no issues but he's missing the spunk she shows when angry.

"I am!" He snaps back. "But calm the fuck down. It's a party and it's almost midnight and everyone will be leaving soon."

She throws her hands up in frustration. "My reputation is at stake here! I cannot just calm down and see what happens."

"You need to pop a Xanax or some shit." He steps towards her and her breath catches in her throat as he reaches a hand out towards her head. "Or take a shot." He waves the bottle of tequila he just grabbed in her face.

She bats the bottle out of his hand, catching him off guard and the bottle shatters on the floor, splashing both of them. "Damn it Justin!"

"Fuck you!" He snaps as they both drops to the knees to pick up the pieces of glass. "You're the one who hit the bottle."

"Because you're such an asshole." She stands and drops the glass into the trash can.  "Why do you have to keep acting like such a child."

"Me?!" He stands and practically throws the glass into the metal can. "You know what, get off your high horse. You are not some fuckin' princess."

"Then stop calling me that!" The anger coursing through her is taking over and she can't seem to get it under control. Before she can stop herself, she reaches out and pushes at his chest. "I cannot stand you!"

He stumbles back, shock settling in. Clenching his jaw, he stares at her. Her eyes wild and flashing with anger, her mouth parted as she's breathing heavily. Before he can take a breath he's pressing his mouth roughly to hers. Moving his lips in an unheeding manner, not noticing her struggling against him until she pushes him away.

"What is wrong with you?" She demands wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. "Have you lost your damn mind?"

He blinks and licks his lips, the taste of her mouth still lingering.

"Guys?" The door opens behind him opens and Mackenzie snaps her head towards Grace. "Sorry, Justin but Bonnie is looking for you to make the speech." Her eyes move slowly between the both of them, confusing marring her features.

Justin swallows hard, giving Grace a curt nod before leaving the small room, not even giving a second glance to Mackenzie.

"Mackenzie?" Grace questions.

Shaking her head, she takes a deep breath before answering. "Nothing. Send one of the waiters to the liquor store for a quick restock, we're running low."

Grace watches her shake her head, as if to clear her thoughts. "Are you ok?"

"Fine." She retorts, annoyance lacing her voice. "Just do it."

"Of course." Grace mutters before leaving her alone in the room.

With a shaky breath, Mackenzie brings a hand to her lips. That was completely unexpected.

And alarming because she knows if she hadn't pushed him away, she'd soon be kissing him back.

Truce? by meggie

 Mackenzie sits in the conference room with Grace staring at her from across the table. Her mind on overdrive after that kiss. The kiss that never should have happened. The kiss that disgusted her. The kiss that she physically fought against him to stop.

The very same kiss that has haunted her every thought since it happened.

"Mackenzie, are you listening?" Grace waves a hand in front of her face.

She blinks. "Sorry, what?"

Grace gives her a weird look. "Justin called and wants you to go with him to take the money to Bonnie."

"Why?" She voice is high and if Grace didn't know any better it'd sound like she was nervous.

"Because you made the fundraiser happen? I don't know." She shrugs. "Maybe he's scared Bonnie's gonna hit on him some more." She giggles at the memory of a tipsy Bonnie making passes at Justin the night of the party.

"What you're deal this past few days?" Grace puts her pen down when the brunette doesn't even crack a smile. "You've been acting like some cracked out zombie."

"Nothing." She shrugs. "I'm fine."

"Come on, don't give me that crap. We've known each other for how many years now? We may not be the closest of friends but I'm not an idiot either. I can tell when something's off."

She lets out a deep sigh and rakes her hands through her hair. "It's just stress."

"Stuff with Preston?" She questions with no respond. "Cause you know, dude's kinda old. Like really old. I mean, it's not normal."

Despite herself, a small smile tugs at her mouth. "Preston is great. It's a very healthy relationship based on mutual trust and respect and....just being a grown up."

Grace watches her talk and something clicks with those last few words. She should have known, of course Justin would be her issue. The two of them are always going at each other and if she didn't know better, she'd say they bicker like an old married couple.

"So, Justin's on your mind then?" She gives her a crooked grin.

Her eyes snap to the blond. "No!" She almost yells and a blush spreads across her cheeks.

"Riiiigh. Whatever you say." Grace laughs.

"Ugh. He's just....I hate him." She rolls her eyes. "He's the most obnoxious, childish, rudest person I've ever met in my entire life."

"He's not that bad. He just likes to push your buttons cause he knows it annoys you. And you let him so of course he's not gonna stop."

"I don't want him to stop, I just want him to disappear." She mutters.

Grace watches her, completely amused at the sight in front of her. Mackenzie is bouncing slightly in her chair, most likely because she's shaking her foot, a nervous habit of hers. She gnawing on her bottom lip and her eyes are darting all over the room.

"Dude, when was the last time you had sex?" She asks.

Mackenzie stops all movement and stares at her. "Excuse me?"

"Sex. When was the last time you had sex? It's a great stress reliever. Just get it out of your system and then Justin will be a non-issue."

"That is none of your business." She starts to stack the paperwork in front of her.

"That's your problem. You need to get laid and the fighting you do with Justin....it's like...foreplay or something. You're getting all hyped up and ready but the big finale never comes."

She stops shuffling the papers and looks at her friend. "Did you really just use ‘The Cutting Edge' as a reference to my stress?"

"What? It's true!" She laughs. "Doug Dorsey was a sexy man back in the day."

Laughing she leans back in her seat, the papers scattering in front of her. "It's not foreplay."

"Then what?"

"I don't know." She closes her eyes and replays the kiss again in her mind. A feeling courses through her that she hasn't had in a long time. It makes her wish she had kissed him back. Maybe push him up against the wall and do more than just kiss him.

Feeling another blush creep up her neck, she shakes her head. "It's nothing. I'm just stressed out."

Graces watches her stand, biting her tongue because this is not the same girl she's known for the last four years. This new girl is like a ticking time bomb and one wrong word is going to set her off. Sure, it's an unbalanced feeling seeing her like this but she's also taking a deep amusement in it.

"So, you've got the job." Mackenzie's voice snaps her out of her daydream.

"Huh?"

"The job. I'm offering you a fulltime job." She tells her. "You were a huge help to me with the party and I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. So, the offer is out there. I'll have a written one ready for you tomorrow morning if you'd like."

"No, no. This is fine." She shakes her head. "Thank you so much."

Walking towards the door, the stack of paperwork in her hands. "You're welcome."

Mackenzie smiles at her before reaching out and pulling the door open.

"You gonna to call Justin back?" Graces calls out to her.

"Yes." She responds, a nervous flutter in her stomach when she heard his name.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The humming of the engine in the black Hummer is the only sound inside the cab of the car. That and Justin's annoying tapping of the steering wheel.

Every time his fingers hit the leather, Mackenzie fights the urge to reach over and hit him. Because that would mean she'd have to touch him and she's not sure she can handle that right now.

He had shown up in the parking deck of her building and she almost swallowed her tongue when she saw him. Dark jeans and a white t-shirt, his trademark black leather jacket hugging close to his body. It was like she was seeing him as someone other than the annoying guy she'd known over the years.

Seeing it and fully appreciating it.

The huge car slows to a stop in the traffic not far from Bonnie's office. Both of them wanting to say something but not really knowing what to say.

"So, that was some party." He finally says and instantly feels like a dumbass. Some party?

"Yeah." She says her vision focused on the car beside them.

He sneaks a look at her and feels guilty because he knows he's the reason she's so completely uncomfortable right now.

He wishes he knew why he kissed her but he truly doesn't. She was standing there, yelling at him for God knows what and she just looking for fucking sexy that he was either going to kiss her to shut her up for slam her up against the wall and really shut her up. He was assuming that the latter would have gone over a lot worse than the kiss.

They didn't speak to each other for the rest of the night as it was. They avoided each other and if Mackenzie needed anything she had Grace talk to Justin or vice versa. This really was the first thing he's said to her since that night.

"Look," He clears his throat when the light turns green. "I want to apologize for last week. I was out of line and never should have done that."

She doesn't respond or even move.

"Really. I'm very sorry. I had been drinking and that, plus the fact that I was dateless, well, that's not really an excuse." He continues, his voice taking a genuine tone. "I shouldn't have done it and I'm sorry for acting like an ass and overstepping my bounds."

She turns slowly to look at him. The way his hands are clenching the steering wheel and how he's refusing to look at her, she knows that he's serious and it's not just something he feels he needs to say.

"I'm sorry too." She says and he glances at her quickly, pulling into the parking lot. "I didn't have been so rude to you."

He grins before turning the car off. "Truce?"

"Truce." She returns the smile as they climb out of the car and make their way towards the building.

They both reach for the door handle, his hand covering hers and her eyes snap to his. Neither of them moves for several seconds before she snatches her hand away and quickly steps into the office.

With his hand still burning from where her tiny hand fit in his, he follows in after her.

Consummation by meggie
Author's Notes:
yeah, i totally named this chapter 'consummation' lmao and again, didn't work today. just updated

One month later

 

"The contract isn't right Denver." Preston sighs, rubbing his forehead. "I need it to be right before I submit the offer."

Mackenzie watches him pace back and forth in the kitchen, her eyes darting to the clock every few minutes.

"Damn it. Look, just do whatever it takes to get it right and have it done by tomorrow morning." He snaps. "No excuses. I'll be expecting it by nine."

And with that he closes the phone and takes a beat before turning to her.

"Everything ok?" She asks him as he braces both hands on the island in front f her. "That didn't sound like a lot of fun."

"It's fine." He shakes his head. "Just trying to get this proposal right for that space I found in Chicago."

She nods, knowing that this is a big deal. This is the first time he's put a bid on property in what's considered one of the big market areas. New York, LA, Chicago, Miami. This is where he'll either sink or swim. The pressure is almost unbearable and he hasn't even broke ground yet.

"It'll all work out." She assures him. "You were made for this type of work and I have complete faith in you."

With a grateful look, he straightens up. "Let's get going. We've got reservations."

"Where are we going?" She asks once they've settled into the back of the town car. "That new Japanese place?"

"No, just sit tight." He reaches out and taps her knee. "So impatient you young kids."

She cringes inwardly when he says that. Hearing it from Grace is one thing but to hear Preston, the man she's dating, say it makes her uncomfortable.

She didn't find anything weird or unusual with their relationship. They have very honest and open communication. They respected and trusted each other. There was a mutual understand that work was a huge priority and that they both tend to be on the workaholic side of things.

The only thing that was lacking was sex.

Not that it was super important to her because she's only ever been with two men in her life. One being her high school boyfriend and the other her long term college boyfriend. While she enjoyed it, she was never the girl who felt the need to have a random hook ups or one night stand.

Preston hasn't even so much as tried to cop a feel. She secretly wonders if maybe Grace is right and he just can't. And that scares her. She doesn't want to be with some sex-crazed guy but at the same time, she does want children one day and sex is an essential part of that.

She turns to look at him, lost in thought and that's when she notices his hand is still on her knee. Chewing on her lip and looking down at his fingers, just laying there on the inside of her knee she shifts her leg allowing his hand to climb a little higher.

Sneaking a glance at him, his head trained on the passing city but his hand stays put. Smiling to herself, she rotates her hips so that she's leaning into him instead of away from him and his hand moves higher again.

This time he turns to her and she flashes a smile at him.

"We're almost there." He returns the smile, his hand still in place.

"Good. I'm starving."

"I forgot." He says as the driver opens the door and he climbs out onto the sideway. He holds a hand out to help her from the car. "Justin's meeting us with a date."

"Date?" She chokes out, her voice catching in her throat.

"Some new lady friend of his that he met a few weeks ago." He tucks her arm under his as staff opens the door for them.

She'd only seen him twice since the day they dropped the check off at Bonnie's office. Both times at Preston's home when Justin was always just leaving as she showed up. Neither of them acknowledging the kiss or the truce they made. It was like the whole thing never happened.

But it did and the lack of sex she was having is the only reason she can fathom she still thinks about it.

"A few weeks?" She raises an eyebrow. "She's lasted longer than one night?"

He laughs and the maitre d' bows his head, leading them silently to a table near the back of the room. "He does occasionally have more than just a fling."

She rolls her eyes before muttering. "Please."

"Justin, my boy." Preston's voice booms over the dull chatter of the room. "How are you?"

He stands, reaching out to shake his father's hand. "Good, you?"

"Can't complain." He settles into his chair after holding Mackenzie's out for her. "And who is this lovely woman with you?"

Mackenzie looks to Justin's right to find a striking blond seated next to him, one shoulder bare in a red dress. Without even knowing this woman, she dislikes her.

"Dad, Mack, this is Tonya." He smiles at the both of them. "Tonya, my dad, Preston and his," He coughs giving her a smirk. "Girlfriend Mackenzie."

"It's a pleasure to meet you dear." Preston dips his head as the waiter leans in and the two men discuss wine selection.

"It's nice to meet you." Tonya directs to Mackenzie. "Justin has told me so much about you."

"That's nice." She forces a smile at the blond before narrowing her eyes at the man beside her. "Don't believe anything he says."

"So much for that truce." He says under his breath, eliciting a curious look from Tonya. "How's Gracie?"

"She's good."

"How are you?" Justin presses, amused at her quick answer.

"Fine."

He laughs, loving the way he's already managed to get under her skin. His eyes drop down to her neck and his throat feels dry suddenly.

The way she's got her hair pinned to the side of her head is showing off the curve of her neck, the black lining of the dress dipping down her collar before coming across her chest. That was also dangerously low.

He reaches out for the glass of water in front of him taking a drink.

Then he's back in that storage room on New Year's Eve, kissing her like his life depended on it. Suddenly he's choking on the water and all three sets of eyes surrounding him have turned their attention to him.

"Oh my God, are you ok?" Tonya asks and places a hand on his arm the very same time Mackenzie reaches over and rubs her hand up and down his back.

He shrugs the both of them off before nodding. "I'm good. I'm good. Went down the wrong way."

"You sure?" Preston asks, eying him.

"Yeah, totally good." He sneaks a glance at the brunette beside him, her gaze holding his eyes for several seconds. Unconsciously he licks his lips and her eyes darken.

"Tell me about yourself Tonya." Preston speaks up and Mackenzie blushes, her eyes dropping away from Justin to the table top. "How'd you two meet?"

Grinning to himself, Justin looks at her for another second before turning his attention to his date.

XXXXXXXXXX

"Hey."

Her head snaps up at the sound of his voice.

"Hey."

"You want a drink?" Justin asks her.

She looks in the direction of the table, where Preston and Tonya are still talking about whatever they were talking about before she excused herself to the restroom.

"Come on Mack." He steps closer to her, pushing himself off the wall. "Just one quick drink."

"Fine." She gives in knowing that she was going to join him anyways.

The both take a seat at the end of the dimly lit bar, neither speaking.

"What can I get you?" The bartender asks.

"Jack and coke, please." Justin tells him. "Two please."

He nods and steps away to make their drinks.

"I don't like whiskey."

"Too bad." He grins at her. "Just sit there, look pretty and drink it."

She rolls her eyes as the bartender slides the drinks in front of them. "We need to get back there."

"Relax." He hushes her. Turning to her, drink raised a little, "To you."

She eyes him. "What's the catch?"

"No catch." She raises an eyebrow and he leans in. "Ok, then how ‘bout we drink to how fuckin' stunning you look tonight?"

Her breath catches at his words and the closeness of his face to hers. But he doesn't move and neither does she.

Then before she can do anything he clinks his glass with hers and downs the contents.

"Drink up." He looks at her.

Swallowing hard she quickly drinks the liquid, burning its way down her throat as it goes. "How do you enjoy that?" She coughs out placing the glass beside his. "It's disgusting."

He laughs and leans in close to her ear. His breath stirring her hair as he speaks, "Makes sex better. No inhibitions."

Without another word he slides off the barstool and heads back to the table.

"Holy hell." She whispers watching him walk away.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

"Tonya was nice." Preston comments. "Seems to have a good head on her shoulders."

"Hmmm." She agrees, her mind preoccupied with other thoughts.

"You ok?" He asks, wrapping an arm around her, his fingers rubbing against her shoulder. "You were very quiet tonight."

"I'm fine." She turns to smile at him.

"Good." He says before dropping his head and pressing a kiss to her mouth.

As he kisses her, she finds herself remembering the way she felt when Justin kissed her and the way he made he feel tonight. Her body on fire, needing so much more than just a kiss tonight.

She pulls away and breathes, "Can I stay with you tonight?"

He untangles himself from her, regarding her slight confusion. "Mackenzie-"

"Please Preston." She runs her fingers down the lapels of his jacket. "I just want to be with you tonight."

He can see the desperate look on her face and he cares for her. Cares for her very deeply but he's worried. She's young enough to be is daughter and it doesn't matter that she seems secure with their relationship, that fact will always remain true. Which is why he hasn't pressed the sex issue with her. He thought it best to let her initiate anything that may happen.

He brings a hand up and runs a finger across her jaw, watching as her eyes close. "Of course you can."

Fatal Attraction by meggie
Author's Notes:
um...yeah. don't hurt me.

"Can I get another one please?"

Grace turns to the brunette sitting beside her. "Are you sure?"

"Yep." Mackenzie nods, her head bobbing in the way that only a tipsy person could do. "I'm off the clock and it's Friday night."

"Ok." She says lowly, biting her lip to keep from laughing.

As they were leaving the office that afternoon Mackenzie asked if she wanted to go to the bar around the corner later and have a night out. She was unsure if Mackenzie even knew what a night out was but as she's been unable to stop putting them down, it's very clear that she does indeed know what it is.

Mackenzie's had two margarita's and doesn't seem to be nearing a stopping point. In fact, she's finishing each new cup faster than its predecessor.

"You know, I'm glad he's out of town." Mackenzie says. "We needed a few days off."

"Preston?"

"Yes, Preston. I mean, I care about him but we haven't had the talk."

"What talk?" Grace asks, a smile on her face.

"You know, the talk. Our future."

She nods. "Is there a future?"

"Of course there is! We're so compatible together. It makes sense and I really care for him." It sounded like she was trying to convince herself more than anything else.

"Mackenzie, I'm going to say something and I don't want to piss you off, ok?" Grace starts, cautiously. "You and Preston are gross. Really, really gross. I like him, don't get me wrong. But he's got a kid older than you. Let's be honest, he technically could be a grandfather to your children if you had any."

"You know, I'll never have kids either." She pouts as another margarita is set in front of her.

"I thought you wanted kids." Grace watches her take big swallow from the drink. "You always said you wanted lots of kids."

"I do!" She says loudly, people sitting in the booth behind them turning to stare. "I do want kids. Lots and lots of babies running around."

"Then what's the problem? He doesn't want any?"

She feels this conversation is getting ready to cross some sort of border that shouldn't be crossed but over the last few weeks, since Preston left for Chicago, the two of them have been spending more and more time together. Grace thinks it's mostly because Mackenzie doesn't seem to have anyone else that's a constant in her life.

Mackenzie chews on her bottom lip, blind to the pain it's actually causing her. The alcohol in her system clouding her brain right now. She's not sure if the answer to that question is something that should be shared but Grace is her friend. They've known each other for years and sure, they hadn't always been close but they're friends now. In fact, Grace might be the only person she's ever really called a friend.

"He can't.....you know?" She finally says, her voice taking a soft tone.

Her eyebrows come together. "Can't what? Take care of a kid at his age?" She shrugs. "Big deal. He's loaded, you hire a nanny. Problem solved."

Mackenzie shakes her head, eyes wide as if to say the words she can't get out.

Suddenly Grace stops moving and her jaw drops. "You mean to tell me he can't get it up?"

"Shhhh!" She reaches out and smacks her in the arm.

An uncontrollable laughter comes out of her mouth and now there is more than one table with people staring at them. The sight of Grace laughing hysterically and Mackenzie with her head on the bar top getting a few laughs from other people, not sure what's going on but enjoying the image.

"Are you kidding me?!" Grace finally manages to get out in a gasp of laughter. "That is....wow. I mean, I'm not surprised. He's like a hundred and four years old. Does he use Viagra? Ew, never mind. I don't want to know."

"Grace, shut up!" She hisses, face a bright red.

"Come on, that shit is funny."

Shaking her head, she reaches out and quickly drinks have the glass in front of her. It's not that Preston can't do it, it's just he needs a little help.

"You need to bail that ship and bail fast." Grace brings her beer to her lips. "Because that is not going to make you happy."

"What's not going to make you happy?" A voice comes from behind them.

"Hey!" Grace smiles at him. "What're you going here?"

"Just grabbing a drink." Justin returns the smile before looking at Mackenzie. Her eyes dart to the floor and he can't hold back a chuckle. "You never did answer my question. What's not going to make her happy?"

The two women look at each other and again Mackenzie's face flushes making Justin that much more curious as to what they're talking about.

"It's just....I'm not sure if she and-" Grace is cut off then Mackenzie kicks her shin. "OW!"

Justin laughs at their interaction. "You know what, I don't care." He turns to her, "Mack. How you doing? Haven't seen you in a while."

"Fine." She downs the rest of her drink. "I need to use the ladies room."

The floor seems a little unsteady under her feet when she slides off the stool. He reaches out and grabs her around the waist to keep her from stumbling into Grace. Quickly she jumps away from him, steadying herself on the back of the stool.

"I'm fine." She snaps and he holds his hands up in defense. "Be back."

Grace just shakes her head as Justin watches her walk away.

"How much has she had to drink?" He asks taking her seat.

"Just finished her third." She turns to him. "Guess I'm the DD tonight."

He nods and orders a beer. "How long are you guys gonna be here?"

She shrugs, looking around him to see if she's coming back. "No clue. I hope not too much longer. I've got to get up early tomorrow for something."

"Oh?"

"The boyfriend." She's unable to hide the goofy grin on her face. It's one of those ‘just fallen in love' smiles that seems to happen at the beginning of a new relationship. "Wants me to meet his family."

"That's a big deal." He nods at the bartender who slides the beer in front of him.

"Yeah, I'm a little nervous." She confesses.

"You'll be fine." He turns to where the bathrooms are, searching. "You're a great girl. They'll love you."

She watches him as his continues to look over his shoulder every few minutes. His fingers toying with the label on the bottle, feet bouncing against the crossbar of the stood.

"You ok?" She questions.

"What?" He snaps his head back to her. She's got an eyebrow raised and he can feel a blush creeping up his neck. "I'm fine."

"I can see that." She laughs and he rolls his eyes. "If you're going to make a move, you need to do it soon."

"What?" His voice is high. "What the hell are you talking about?"

She gives him a knowing smirk. "I'm just saying."

Before he can respond Mackenzie plops into the stool beside Justin and order another margarita.

"Mack, don't you think you've had enough?" He says softly.

"Go away Justin." She waves a hand in his face. "Grace'll drive me home."

They both turn to find Grace with her phone to her ear.

"Yeah, I can see that." He smirks at her. She makes a face at him and his eyes dip to the low collar of her shirt.

"Hello!" She snaps a finger at him. "Stare much?"

He laughs when he sees her cheeks are flushed. He leans in close and whispers, "You know you liked it."

"I do not you-"

"Mackenzie, I'm really sorry but I have to go." Grace throws a few bills on the bar. "Michael's car broke down and I need to go pick him up from the shop."

"I'll go with you." She moves to stand up.

"No, stay. You've still got a drink." She grabs her purse. "Justin can take you home. You don't mind do you?" She turns to him, oblivious to the look Mackenzie is giving her.

"Of course not." Justin says. "Do you need some help getting him?"

"No, it's fine. I just gotta pick him up." She shrugs her jacket on. "He's ready to hurt the guy behind the counter. Every time the guy says something the price estimate goes up so it's best to just get him out of there."

"But-" Mackenzie watches as Grace hurries to the exit.

"Thanks!" She calls over her shoulder before stepping out the door.

Huffing she drops back down on the stool.

"Looks like it's just you at me." Justin grins at her.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 

"You brought me to a strip club?" Mackenzie hisses, eyes narrowing at him.

Justin laughs and throws an arm around her shoulders which she instantly shrugs off. "Relax. We'll get another drink in you and you won't even know it."

She eyes him skeptically but follows after him. He leads her to a booth in the far corner of the dark room. She quickly slides in next to him, her head ducked so that no one sees her.

"What can I get for you?" A pretty redhead wearing very little smiles at the two of them.

"I'll have a jack and coke." Justin smiles at her. "And the lady will have one of those sweet-tart lollipop things." The waitress smiles before turning away. He turns to the woman beside him, hiding his smirk. "Sit back and relax. The girls won't bite."

She rolls her eyes but sits back anyways, wondering what she's doing here and why she agreed to go with him. She tells herself it was all the margarita's she had earlier but that's not really true. She just wasn't ready to say good-bye to him.

Her eyes wander the dark room, discretely looking at the men scattered around. Most of them dressed in suites and ties, nursing a drink, their eyes fixated on the dance stage. She takes a quick look up to see a statuesque blonde moving her body to the music in a slow, seductive way. Feeling slightly uncomfortable, her eyes dart away.

"Thank you." Mackenzie says softly when the waitress places her drink in front of her. She quickly takes a big swallow hoping to relax her nerves.

Justin eyes her, bemused at her reactions. He knew she was a little more than tipsy no matter how much she's trying to hide it. He saw her coming unraveled after the third margarita and the bigger part of him couldn't help but egg her on.

The more time he spends with her the more he's beginning to learn that there's more to her than work and the goody-goody act she's always doing. He caught a glimpse of that at the party when she yelled at him. He could see it in her eyes that she was on the verge of losing it. And he was a little more than turned on by it.

He's still trying to figure out why she's doing this thing with his dad. She seems very open to accepting the gifts Preston showers her with. Not to say she's only with him for the money and gifts but he's very wary of women when it comes to his father.

"Can I get another one?" Her voice snaps him out of his daydream. He glances down to see she's already drained her glass. "Please?"

"Of course." The waitress takes the glass from in front of her. That's the first time he notices her standing there.

He can see Mackenzie's eyes have gone glassy and he knows he couldn't let her drink anymore. But again, that bigger part of him feels she should let go a little bit.

She turns to look at him, her head fuzzy. "What?"

"Nothing." He grins and shakes his head a little.

He turns his head back to the stage and she watches him. He's a good looking guy, there's no denying it. He has this way about him that while she hates it, it draws her in and no matter how hard she tries, she can't help but find him charming and funny. And sexy.

She blushes at the thought and shifts in the booth, her knee bumping his. He doesn't move and she glances up at him. When she sees he never takes his eyes off the stage, she relaxes. She finds herself unable to pull her gaze away from the blonde dancing on the stage. She's not naked but Mackenzie knows it's only a matter of time before she is.

The waitress slides another drink in front of her and she smiles gratefully before taking a sip. Beside her Justin stretches both arms out over the back of the booth, the heat from his arm warm behind her neck. His fingers dangerously close to brushing up against her arm. She licks her lips.

"You doing ok?" He says, voice close to her ear.

She jumps at the closeness and turns to him. His face close to hers and she forgets how to breathe. She nods and forces herself to swallow.

His eyes roam over her face, wanting nothing more than to kiss her. He doesn't. Instead he leans back and turns to the dancer. But he can feel her eyes on him.

Before he can say anything, she's got her lips pressing against his.

She leans her body into his, lips moving in a desperate way against his. He pulls away to catch his breath before it's only for a second before she slides a leg over his lap to straddle him, lips back on his.

He wants so badly to say something, anything but he can't get his brain to process words with her sitting on his lap like this, her lips moving against his. So he slides his hands up her back and to the cradle the base of her head.

She doesn't know what's come over her but she feels like if she pulls away from him, she might be in physical pain. She can't concentrate on anything other than the way he feels against her, his fingers getting twisted up in her hair, his lips soft and wet against hers. She can't help the moan that bubbles in the back of her throat.

It's that very sound that snaps his eyes open.

He pulls away from her and she moves her head to kiss him again but he holds her back. She licks her lips and he shifts uncomfortably under her body and her eyes flutter at the movement.

This time when she drops her lips to his, he doesn't stop her. She's gripping at his shoulders, trying to get him to keep pace with her but she can feel the hesitancy in his lips.

"Let's go back to my place." She breathes against his lips.

His mind stops and he pulls back to look at her. The look on her face is one he knows well. He's been given it more times than a few times. Hell, he's given that look on more than one occasion.

He swallows and slides her off his lap. "I don't think that's a good idea."

She crosses her arms over her chest and pouts. Her lips looking very kissable and he wants nothing more than to be the one doing just that but the feeling that's spreading throughout his chest is one that he hasn't felt in a long time and it makes him nervous.

He cannot get feelings for his father's girlfriend.

He cannot sleep with her.

He shouldn't even be kissing her.

"Why?" She leans into him, the smell of alcohol on her breath still strong. Her lips move to brush against his neck, just below his ear and he clenches his fists together. "It's not like you haven't had a one night stand before."

He scoots back in the booth trying to get away from her before he does something stupid. Letting out a nervous laugh, "You're not allowed to judge, it's an uneven playing field." He reaches out and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear when a look of disappointment mixed with hurt and embarrassment take hold of her features. "I cannot be held accountable for corrupting Atlanta's princess."

The pain of rejections rips through her. She needs to get as far away from him as possible. She snaps her head away from where his fingers are lingering near her face.

"I'm going to go." She stands on wobbly legs, hands gripping the table.

He sighs, annoyed at her for feeling like she has to run away. Annoyed at himself for not knowing what's going on with him.

"Don't go." He tries reasons with her but he can tell by the look of determination on her face that she's leaving one way or another.  Shaking his head, he slides out of the booth. "I'll take you home."

"No." She shakes her head firmly. "I'll just take a cab. I'm fine."

Her voice was laced with anger and he can't blame her. He never should have kissed her. "Please, just let me take you home."

"Fine." She snaps.

He nods wordlessly and leads the way out of the club.

The car ride across town is silent, neither one brave enough or stupid enough to say anything. He keeps sneaking glances at her but her head stays motionless as she stares out the window.

As he pulls into the parking lot she whips the seatbelt off and is reaching for the door handle before he throws the car into park. She slams the car door closed behind her and is practically running towards what he can only assume is her apartment.

She doesn't know that he sat there for another hour, in the parking lot, staring in the direction she headed.

He doesn't know that she was crying when she left his car. Or that she cried herself to sleep as he sat downstairs watching the door.

The Choice by meggie
Author's Notes:
for kate, who i love because i promised her a present before saturday. so yeah, whatever, it's 12:05 so i'm five minutes late. sue me

"And his parents were so great." Grace beams from across the desk. "I mean, they were just so nice and welcoming. I have never felt so comfortable with another boyfriends parents before."

"Mmmmh." Mackenzie nods from behind her desk.

They both know she's not really listening to her talk about meeting Devon's parents over the weekend. Grace could see it on her face when she walked in that morning. Something happened and it's muddling her thoughts. Mackenzie can't seem to concentrate on anything and has a hard time staying focused on the plans in front of them.

"Did something happen?" She blurts out and Mackenzie looks at her confused. "You're floating around in outer space today. What's up?"

"Nothing." She shakes her head quickly.

The blonde narrows her eyes at her. "I'm not buying it."

Chewing on her lip she's contemplates telling Grace. If there was anyone she could talk to, Grace was the one. But that would mean that not only is she letting her in on something embarrassing and confusing, she'd be admitting that she's feeling more than just ‘friendly' with Justin.

After he dropped her off she sat up for several hours, a mix of tears and anger and humiliation. She didn't even realize how much she cared until he turned her down. The way he said it burns in her memory and the hurt is still as fresh as it was when he said it. She knows she shouldn't even care. She's in a relationship with his father for crying out loud. She cares very much for him but he just doesn't make her feel the way Justin does.

It's that thought that terrifies her.

Heaving a sigh she looks at Grace. "If I tell you something, it cannot leave this room. Ever."

"Did you kill someone?" She jokes but immediately wishes she hadn't when she sees Mackenzie's face. "Yeah, ok. Sorry. My lips are sealed."

Her eyes dart to the open office door as she licks her lips. "I slept with Preston."

"Ok? And......so what? I knew that."

"It was bad and it felt....God, it just felt wrong." She finally admits. "It was just bad and so weird. But I really do care about him and I have no freakin' clue how to make it better."

Trying not to make a joke out of the last statement, Grace shifts in the chair. "The sex or the situation?"

"Both." She shrugs. "I guess. I don't know."

There is so much more going on that Mackenzie isn't telling her and while she might be blonde, she's not an idiot. She saw the way Justin looked at her at the New Years Eve party and how he acted at the bar the other night. Something is happening there; a blind man could see it. But those two are too damn stubborn to acknowledge it.

"Does this have anything to do with Justin?" She asks her, hesitantly.

"What? No!" Her cheeks flame bright red and she knows she's given Grace the answer she couldn't own up to. "I'm going to hell." She mutters.

"What happened?" She asks her softly, seeing how much effect this is having on her. "And you're not going to hell. You'd have to kill someone first."

"He may or may not have kissed me at the party." She says so fast it's almost undecipherable.

Almost.

Grace leans back in the chair. "Alright."

Her eyes never leaving her hands that are clasped in her lap, "And then again the other night. And I asked him to come back to my place."

"Whoa." She breathes unable to contain it. This was not what she was expecting. "Did you guys....I mean, did he?"

She shakes her head and the tears well up again. "What am I doing?"

"You're not doing anything." She comforts her. "You were drunk and lonely. It happens."

"No, I wasn't. I mean, I was. But I knew what I was doing." She swallows hard. "I wanted to."

"Ugh. Ok, look. I like Preston, I do. But you just said it, the sex was not good so maybe you were looking for a way to make that seem better." Grace shrugs. "Sure there's been some attraction between you and Justin. Anyone can see it. But that's all it is."

"Are you serious?" Her voice coming tight from her throat. How could she have missed it?

Giving her a soft smile, she leans forward and pats Mackenzie's hand. "I've seen it since day one."

Groaning she lays her head on the desk. This is not good. As if she's not confused enough.

She's got Preston who she cares for and she can see a future with him. He can take care of her and provide for her. He's the prime example of stability and commitment and dependability. He knows who he is and what he wants. He made a career and a name for himself on his own accord. She knows that he would never hurt her or treat her unkindly.

But Justin makes her feel. He pushes her buttons and gets under her skin. The banter they have is quick and funny. Even if she doesn't let him know that. She enjoys spending time with him, regardless of how she acts. But he's completely unpredictable and unfocused. He has no real job or plan for life. She sees nothing in him that would make her say he's a suitable guy for her.

"Have you talked to him yet?" Grace questions. "Justin I mean."

"No." She sits up. "I wanted to call him yesterday and say I was sorry but I couldn't find the guts to do it."

Nodding, "I know this isn't fun and I'm really sorry for that. But, dude, you're going to have to make up your mind. This is a really messed up thing you've got going on. An insane triangle of attraction but you gotta do it. Before it gets out of control."

"Ok." She sighs. "You're right. I can do that. Obviously I'm going to stay with Preston. He's the right guy for me."

Forcing a smile to her face she nods her head. "You are the only one who can make this decision. I love you and all but this is all you."

"You are useless." She rolls her eyes, a smile threatening.

"That's why you hired me." Grace laughs.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The door swings open just as she reaches for the knob. They both stop moving and stand still, neither speaking.

"Hey." Mackenzie finally chokes out. "I didn't know you were going to be here."

"I'm checking the mail while he's gone." Justin takes a step back as she moves forward. They do the awkward shuffle until he finally moves out of the doorway and lets her in. "What're you going here?"

She holds up a folder. "Dropping off some plans from his office."

He nods and closes the door.

"I'll um...I'll be quick." She moves towards Preston's office. "If you wanna wait a second that way you can lock up behind me."

Again he nods and watches her walk down the hallway. He rubs a hand over his face, the frustration running high.

He didn't expect to see her at his dad's house.  Apart from that, he's not sure he wants to see her. The more he lets what happened between them fester, the more he's bothered by it. Sure, he didn't have to kiss her back but she never should have started it in the first place. The feeling of ‘what the fuck?' gets stronger every time he thinks about what would ever happen if his dad found out.

But somewhere in the back of his mind, he can't help but feel like this is a good thing. Because he's coming to realize that he's starting to have feelings for her. But there's no way in hell he'd ever tell her that.

"Thanks." She smiles at him.

"No problem." They both stand there. He's got his hands in his back pocket and she's jingling her keys in her hand. "Um-"

"Look, I'm really, really sorry about the other night." She starts, tripping over her words. "I had too much to drink and clearly had no clue what I was doing."

He's surprised to hear her taking blame for it. Sure, she kissed him but he half expected her to find a way to blame it on him.

"I didn't mean anything by it and I hope that you can maybe, you know, forget it happened?" She shrugs helplessly. "I just don't want Preston to find out."

He feels his body deflate. So she's going to stay with him.

And it stings. More than he ever could have predicted.

"Yeah. Completely forgotten about." He bounces on the balls of his feet. "No harm, no foul."

"You sure?" She eyes him. "Because it was nothing and-"

He holds a hand up. "Never happened.  I get it."

She can sense a change in his demeanor and can't help but wonder what just happened. "Ok....so we're cool? I mean, we've just been getting along without fighting and I don't want to go back to that."

"We're cool. It was a mistake." He says.

"Alright." She drawls out, not believing him.

"Mack, I gotta get going but it's fine." He reaches for the door and pulling it open.

"Oh, right. Sorry." She hurries past him and out the door. "So, I guess I'll see you around?"

He watches her unlock her door and pull it open. "Yeah. I'll see ya."

She waves clumsily at him and climbs into the car.

He stands there and watches her back out of the driveway and can't help but feel like he just got dumped.

Truce. Take Two by meggie
Author's Notes:
sorry. writers block, then real life, then vacation with glow and megan, then real life. but i promised kate. poor, sickly kate. hope this makes you feel better love! enough babble, it's been long enough. ENJOY!

"Thanks again so much for coming." Bonnie reaches out and shakes her hand.

"Absolutely. It's not a problem." Mackenzie greets her with a smile, trailing behind. "I was just a little surprised to hear from you."

"Hmm." She glances over her shoulder at the younger woman as she pushes the button to the elevator. "I was under the impression that he told I'd be calling you."

"He?" The confusion is completely evident on her voice and all over her face. "I'm sorry. I'm just really confused right now."

She chuckles. "He's a little bit of a trouble maker that boy." The elevator dings and the doors open. "The hospital is going to be opening a new wing to the children's ward, largely due to the money that was raised during the New Years Eve party."

"Justin?" She chokes out. "Justin told you to call me?"

She nods, waving at a group of small kids gathering around a TV. Two of them wearing face masks but they waved just as enthusiastically as the others. "To be fair, I have a party planner and won't need much from you. But since you worked with him for the fundraiser, he thought you'd want to be a part of this."

Mackenzie still feels a little shell shocked as they enter a small office. She hasn't really talked to Justin in several weeks, only in passing when they happened to bump into each other at Preston's house.

Things with Preston were in a weird limbo state. After the thing with Justin, she had been pretty distance from Preston, in regards to their sexual relationship. She was always available to him on the phone or when he was back in town after being away in Chicago for so long. But anytime it seemed like he was going to make any kind of advance, she'd find a way to avoid it. He sensed something was different but never mentioned it. A man like Preston knew that his age was a big issue for her, even if she never said anything. But he was happy to have her around, any way she'd allow it.

"So you just need my help?" She sits across from Bonnie.

"Kind of." She flips through some paperwork. "You won't need to be involved in the party afterwards, that's completely under control. But the actually ceremony is where I might need a little help. At the very least, I'd like it very, very much if you were there."

"Um, sure. Anything I can do." She nods.

"Great!" Happiness plastered over her face. "There's going to be so much chaos with the ceremony and all the people, the kids with their families that the only way this is going to work is if I have you and Jackie work together to make sure it all runs smoothly."

She nods, her pen moving across the paper of her notebook. "Anything in particular you're looking for me to handle?"

"Jackie's got a good hold on the logistics of the actual presentation and who's who but there are a lot of families that want to be involved too. Mostly it'll be those whose children have been here the longest. The general consensus is that the kids want to do something for Justin.  This is actually going to be kept a secret from everyone." She pauses and grins. "A few of the kids are really hoping to make him tear up."

Choking back a laugh, "Justin? Cry?" She shakes her head. "That'll be the day."

"I don't know," She leans back in the chair. "I'm sure he's somewhat of a cad but inside these walls, he's a completely different person. Everyone here loves him and all that he does. I'll admit, the first time I met him, I thought maybe he was only becoming involved to hook up with a nurse. But he proved me wrong." She shrugs and Mackenzie is almost in awe at the tone that Bonnie's voice takes as she speaks about Justin.  "He's been amazing for this place."

~*~*~*~*~*~

The door swings up and the man standing in front of her is visibly shocked to see her.

"What is wrong with you?" She demands, hands on her hips.

"Hi Mack, nice to see you too. I'm good, thanks for asking. I was a little under the weather the other day but I'm doing much better now." Justin leans against the doorframe. "How the fuck'd you find my house?"

She rolls her eyes and pushes past him into the house. She tries not to notice the stark cleanliness of the dark hardwood floors and bright white walls. The living room screams of clean and modern living. Everything looks like it's right out of a magazine and it is the farthest thing from anything that she could have ever pictured.

"The call girl working the corner was more than happy to point it out." She whips around to face him.

"First off, I've never paid for sex." The smirk on his face getting harder and harder to hide. "Second, I never bring women back to my place."

"Pig." She mutters, eyes fighting to look him in the face. The sweats and gray t-shirt he's wearing making it very difficult. "Why'd you give Bonnie my name? Don't you know that I have my own job to do? Did you not think I'm-"

He holds up a hand to cut her off. "Breathe." He steps across the room and she holds her breath as he comes close enough to smell his aftershave. Moving past her he settles on the couch. "You're gonna give yourself an aneurysm one of these days."

She huffs and he clicks the TV off.

"I just thought that maybe you'd be interested in being there." He crosses his arms and she swallows hard when she notices the way his arms strain against the soft material. "But if not, you can let the kids down. Break their hearts. No biggie."

"You know that you're an asshole right?" She narrows her eyes at him, both of them knowing that she wasn't going to say no to this.

"So you keep telling me." He grins and in that second they both realize that they're alone.

She does her best to avoid looking directly at him, her brain clouded with thoughts of the kiss. Much as he was angered that she had kissed him like that then in the next second, pushed him away, he can't help but love that he's getting a reaction from her.

"You should go with me." He speaks up.

"Go where?" Her voice coming out with a snap and inwardly she cringes. She hates that he gets under her skin with just a look.

"To see the kids." He shrugs. "I was thinking of going tomorrow afternoon. Might be nice if you got to meet some of them. See all the good you did."

"I didn't do anything." She shuffles, uncomfortable with his praise. "It was your fundraiser."

"Yeah but it wouldn't have happened without you." His voice soft. So much so that if she hadn't be alone with him, she'd have never know it came from him.

She finally meets his eyes and doesn't look away this time. The moment breaks when he unconsciously licks his lips.

Blushing she hoists her purse higher over her shoulder. "I gotta go."

He chuckles and stands but she's halfway out the door. "Let me know about tomorrow!"

If she heard him, she didn't let on. Only closed the door behind her leaving him standing there, wishing she had stayed.

Sure by meggie
Author's Notes:

i'm still not 100% happy with this but it took me this long do write it so i'm just glad it's done. i'm hoping the rest will just flow and write itself.  also, thanks to my love kate for the pep talk. enough of my babble, FINALLY an update!!

oh, yeah, totally didn't proof this. sorry. but i'm just....i struggled with this for months lol

"This is really great." The woman says, her eyes trained on the table surrounded by children. "Allowing the kids to say thank you in their own way."

Mackenzie smiles unable to look away from the kids either. "Bonnie said they wanted to help and I'm more than happy to let them do it their way." She pauses when a little girl turn, her face covered with a blue medical mask but the happiness radiating out of her. She waves to the woman standing next to Mackenzie, glitter and marker all over her hands and forearms. "Besides, this was my secret ploy to be able to wear jeans and use paint markers."

The mother of the girl laughs as Mackenzie joins the table of children. Covering the table are arts and crafts of every kind; markers, glitter, paper, scissors, feathers. The table hardly visible under it all. She's not really sure what possessed her to let the kids talk her into making him things because knowing Justin; he'll probably just throw them away or shove them in a closet or something, never to see the light of day again. But it's what the kids wanted to do; they said they each wanted to give him something. One of the nurses explained that each kid had their own bond with Justin and thanking him as a group wasn't something they were interested in.

"What's Justin's favorite color?" The girl in the mask, Sarah, asks. "Does he like pink?" She waves a marker in Mackenzie's face. "Cause I like pink."

"I'm not really sure boys are a big fan of pink." She reaches out and grabs a green marker. "Try this one."

Sarah grabs the marker and starts to draw something only she can decipher on the thin popsicle stick and it's in that second that Mackenzie realizes just how much she wants a child of her own. Maybe not right now but soon. She reaches up to toy with the necklace Preston gave her for Christmas.

She'll never have children as long as she's with him. Not that he wouldn't be willing to adopt, all she has to do it ask and she knows he'll provide her with anything. But she wants a child of her own. She wants to go through all the struggles and joys of pregnancy. She wants the midnight cravings of pickles and ice cream. She wants to waddle around for so long without seeing her feet that she almost forgets what they look like. To feel the life inside her kick for the first time. There is nothing she wants more than that.

Pushing the thoughts from her head, she turns her attention to the little boy sitting across from her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You know, that dress might be a little too sexy for the children's ward." Grace grins. "I'm not saying you don't look hot but I'm just saying. If you pass any old guys, there's likely to be some heart monitors going off."

"You're full of it." Mackenzie rolls her eyes as they walk into the elevator. She reaches out and jabs the button to the third floor. "It's just a freaking dress."

"Was that almost a curse word?" She feigns surprise. "Well I never!"

Unable to keep the smile off her face she reaches out and swats Grace. "Stop it."

The elevator chimes and the doors open, both of them standing in awe. The entire third floor is covered in bright colors and lights. The place has always seemed welcoming but with all the decorations and the music playing, it is practically a party. It sort of is, a celebration knowing that these kids will finally be able to move into a hospital all to themselves. No longer sharing with other patients. All the money that Justin's helped raise has given these kids something to look forward to and everyone that is healthy enough to attend will be at the groundbreaking ceremony next week.

"Ladies." Justin slides up beside them as they walk through the crowd of giggling kids. "Welcome to the tenth wonder of the world.....a child's happiness."

"There are only seven wonders of the world." Mackenzie rolls her eyes but accepts the glass he hands her. "All that schooling and you're still a dunce."

"Ouch." He holds a hand over his head and Grace lets out a laugh. "Actually, all I really learned in school is the art of drinking," he lowers his voice, "and love making."

"I think I'm going to be sick." She turns away as Grace covers her mouth.

"You are a dirty boy." Grace points a finger at him. "Don't ever change."

"I'm trying not to but you know Gracie dear, I think my dad and stepmom might ship me off to boarding school if I don't shape up soon. All those nuns with rulers." He turns to the dark haired woman. "Where's the humanity mom? I thought you loved me!"

She sighs at his dramatics. "Must you encourage him?" She looks at Grace. "He's bad enough as it is on his own."

"You wish you knew how bad I really was." He whispers in her ear as he turns to get a drink from the table behind them. She shivers at the warmth of his breath so close to her.

"I hear the tiny ones have something special planned for you tonight." Grace looks at him. "Rumor is you might actually shed a tear or two."

He snorted. "I don't cry."

"Care to make a gentlemen's wager on that?" Mackenzie raises an eyebrow at him. "I know what they have planned."

"I'm in." Grace bounces on the balls of her feet, the tips of her heels coming off the floor. "Besides, what's more satisfying then seeing a man cry?"

Mackenzie and Justin lock eyes, both thinking the same thing. She drains the last of her wine, a blush spreading over her face. She hasn't felt this is a long time. The feeling of want and being wanted. Not that she'll ever admit to actually being attracted to him. She just tells herself it's because of the issues Preston has in the bedroom plus he's been gone for weeks and she just wants some companionship.

"Yeah, ok." Justin nods. "I'll take that bet."

"You're money is a good as mine." She reaches out and they shake on it.

Two hours later Mackenzie finds herself standing in the middle of the family room that's been converted into party central. She's not sure how Bonnie managed to get approval from the hospital board but there's a DJ tucked away in the corner playing music to a group of kids who couldn't look happier.

"Everything's set?" Bonnie's voice drags her eyes away from the dance floor.

"Yep, all the gifts are set up in the nurses' station so we're ready when you are." She replies.

"Great." The elder woman claps her hands and hurries towards the DJ. Mackenzie scans the room to find Grace deep in conversation with some parents and Justin on the other side of the room. Some of the smaller kids have surrounded him and it appears they've made their own dance floor. The group of them keep repeating the same movements, hands and feet moving at the same time and there's a boy, maybe either or so, pointing at one of the girls then back at Justin. She watches as Justin copies the movements of the girl. He follows in step for a second before missing a turn and the kids dissolve into laughter.

He might have mastered the art of drinking but dancing he did not.

"Excuse me." Bonnie's voice cracks through the speakers. "I'm really sorry to break up Soul Train 2011 but I've got a few things to say."

The room full of people comes to a slow stop as everyone turns their attention towards her. "First off, I'm so glad that everyone's here, having a great time and I'm going to suggest once we make the movie to our new home, we do this every month!" A chorus of screams comes from the kids. "Well, now that that's taken care of. As you all know we've been raising money for a long time to be able to get us our own building and hospital. A place where all of you can feel at home, complete with separate living facilities for family members and all the utilities needed to make sure that everyone is comfortable and happy and without want. My goal is to see every person that walks through that door smile, every single day. You are the bravest people I have ever met and I couldn't be more ecstatic to tell you that next week, we finally break ground and begin the process of building our new home!"

Mackenzie finds herself caught up in the emotion she feels in this room. The kids with smiles on their face, jumping up and down. The parents with tears shining in the eyes knowing that they've finally found a place where the kids are the priority and not the hospital politics.

"As you all know, none of this could have been possible without all the hard work and dedication that Justin has given. He has worked tirelessly to bring awareness and to raise funds and to just be here with you guys. All of you." Bonnie looks around the room, she stops when she finds him in the crowd. "You will never know the joy and the hope you bring. Not just to the kids but to the parents and the doctors and the nurses. To everyone that you've ever dealt with here. There are no words to express just how much you've meant to us and how truly thankful we are for everything." Justin ducks his head from the praise. "So thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you."

Unable to contain herself, she finds herself clapping along with everyone else and blinking back tears. Justin turns his head to catch her gaze before looking back at Bonnie.

"Now, if you could just stay where you are, there's a little something we have for you." Bonnie motions towards herself and she's instantly surrounded by all the kids in the room. They stretch out across the makeshift dance floor, some still wearing the medical masks, some in wheelchairs or holding onto IV drips but they're there. Smiles on their faces and she knows there's not a thing in the world that could make them leave.

One of the older kids nods at the DJ and he presses a button for the music to start. Some of the adults chuckle when they recognize the song and as completely cheesy as she finds it, Mackenzie loves it. She loved it from the second they picked this song.

"Really?" Grace whispers at her side. "You let them sing this song?"

She shrugs. "I'll have you know, ‘Thank you for being a friend' is a classic."

"Classic cheese."

With a smile, "They picked it. I was only there to supervise with the glue and paint."

Grace just watches her with a knowing smile. It's always interesting to watch a pair of people fight to hide their feelings and fail miserably.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sitting in her car, hands gripping the steering wheel, Mackenzie wrestles with the voice in her head.

Go home. This is stupid.

You're friends, you can just show up.

You are not friends.

Yes we are.

No we aren't.

"Ugh!" She groans and rests her chin on top of the wheel. When she woke up this morning, going to see Justin seemed like a good idea but the closer she got to his place the dumber it felt. She hasn't seen or spoke to him in three days. Not since she said bye at the hospital. His arms full with the box holding all the things the kids had made for him.

She has no clue if he's even home. The blinds are closed and she has no way of seeing inside the house.  For all she knows he could be out doing God knows what.

"I'm leaving. I'm just....leaving." She reaches to put the key in the ignition but the shrill ring of her cell phone scares her and she drops them to the floor.

"Shit." She clutches her hand to her heart, thankful it's still beating.

"Hello?" She reaches down blindly, groping for the keys.

"Are you just going to sit there stalking me or did you plan to maybe, I don't know....get out and knock on the door?"

Her mouth drops. "How....wha-You're insufferable."

"Mack, it's too early for SAT words." Justin laughs through the phone. "Get out of the car and come inside. I've got pancakes."

Annoyed that he's gotten under her skins with just a few words she snaps the phone shut and gets out of the car.

"You are completely predictable." He opens the door before she can knock.

"One of these days, you're going to meet someone who doesn't fall for your charm." She marches past him and towards the smell of breakfast.

"Wait. Are you saying you've fallen for my charm?" He grins from across the marble countertop.

"Give me the pancakes." She holds an empty plate out.

They eat breakfast comfortably, bouncing jabs off each other but neither of them are willing to allow themselves to admit they're comfortable. For Justin it's a new feeling. Usually he ushers women right out of the door at first sunlight. He can't even remember the last time he had a meal that doesn't come with cocktails with a woman. He knows he's treading on dangerous ground but he's unable to stop himself.

"Thank you." She mutters when he takes the plate away and moves towards the sink. She can feel his eyes on her as she draws patterns on the counter. In an effort to distract him she slides off the stool and into the living room.

"I don't even know why I'm here." She calls over the sound of the water and dishes hitting each other.

"Does it matter?" He calls back.

Yes, she tells herself. Preston's due back sometime early afternoon and she wants to meet him at the house to surprise him. It's been weeks since she's last seen him and is nervous how thing will be when he's home.

She moves around the room, stopping to look at some of the books and pictures. Her heart stops when she spots something that doesn't fit in with the rest of the room.

Sitting right in the middle of the bookshelf is a popsicle picture frame, covered in glitter and green marker. The frame that Sarah had made was now sitting as the center piece of the room. Inside holds a picture of Justin and the little girl, both dressed in Halloween costumes, smiling at the camera.

"I know I'm not supposed to have favorites," Justin's voice is soft behind her. "But she's mine."

She nods and turns to him. Something changed in that moment and there's no point in trying to deny it. They'd both be lying.

He starts towards her and she's holding her breath, only realizing it when he reaches out to run a finger along her jaw. Her eyes flutter close and that's all it takes. Leaning in, he kisses her. Softly and hesitantly at first. It's only when she fists the sides of his t-shirt that he deepens it.

His hand slide under the hem of her top, his fingers stopping at her hips before sliding under the top of her jeans before moving around to her backside. This is it. He knows there's no turning back now and if she stops him.....he's praying she won't stop him.

He pulls back when he feels her tiny hands on his bare skin. He watches as she blinks rapidly, almost like coming out of a trace. Before she can speak he presses another kiss to her mouth.

"Are you sure?" He whispers against her lips.

She licks her lips, her tongue accidently touching his. She's not sure of anything anymore. Being with Justin makes her feel things she hasn't felt in a long, long time. He's got a way of keeping her on her toes and pressing all her button. And she'll never admit it to herself but she secretly loves it. She pushes all the nagging ‘don't do this' voices in her head out and just surrenders to feeling.

She answers by grasping the bottom of his shirt and pulling it over his head.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1608