Door Prize by azchickadee
Past Featured StorySummary:

What do you do when it's over?  How do you pick up the pieces and move on with your life when you're not really sure who you are anymore?  Why is it so hard to trust again?


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Chris Kirkpatrick
Awards: Season 6
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: Anyone BUT Justin
Challenges: Anyone BUT Justin
Series: Crazy Love
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 126211 Read: 113242 Published: Dec 11, 2009 Updated: Jun 25, 2010
Story Notes:

1. Prologue by azchickadee

2. Chapter 1 by azchickadee

3. Chapter 2 by azchickadee

4. Chapter 3 by azchickadee

5. Chapter 4 by azchickadee

6. Chapter 5 by azchickadee

7. Chapter 6 by azchickadee

8. Chapter 7 by azchickadee

9. Chapter 8 by azchickadee

10. Chapter 9 by azchickadee

11. Chapter 10 by azchickadee

12. Chapter 11 by azchickadee

13. Chapter 12 by azchickadee

14. Chapter 13 by azchickadee

15. Chapter 14 by azchickadee

16. Chapter 15 by azchickadee

17. Chapter 16 by azchickadee

18. Chapter 17 by azchickadee

19. Chapter 18 by azchickadee

20. Chapter 19 by azchickadee

21. Chapter 20 by azchickadee

22. Chapter 21 by azchickadee

23. Chapter 22 by azchickadee

24. Chapter 23 by azchickadee

25. Chapter 24 by azchickadee

26. Chapter 25 by azchickadee

27. Chapter 26 by azchickadee

28. Chapter 27 by azchickadee

Prologue by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

Okay, so this story is something I never...let me repeat that: NEVER...thought I would write!  It's all Kristen's fault!  lol...

I'm a little nervous and anxious about writing this story.  Normally I wait until I have a few chapters written before I post anything but I'm going to post the first chapter because Kristen gave me the go ahead :) 

Silence.

It was hard to get used to again. 

For the first few weeks after the tour ended the roar of the crowd at that last show had stayed with him--echoing in his head, convincing him it hadn't just been a dream--but now there was only silence. 

There had been silence once before but this time he knew it was going to stay this way.  It was over.  They'd done what they'd promised they would: they had fulfilled their contract, gotten back together, and given the fans what they wanted--one more album and one last tour.  They'd spent a year, almost, out on the road--trying to make it so everyone who wanted to could come to one of the shows.  It had been different from the last time they'd been on tour, but it had still been incredible.  He had lived for the rush that came with getting up on stage each night and being able to perform with his "brothers" again.  Everyone was older this time around and had gained a lot of experience and maturity with everything that had happened to them in their lives.  The dynamics of the group had changed some over the hiatus they had taken, but the chemistry that the five of them shared when they were singing and performing together was just as strong as it had always been.  But it was over now and as he lay in bed staring up at the ceiling, unable to sleep, he feared that all he was left with now was the silence.

He could feel his demons raising their ugly heads--the old urge to drink and party returning, calling to him, but he fought it back.  He wasn't going to go down that road again.  He didn't want to see the look of disappointment on his friend's and family's faces if he were to give in again.  He was too old to be making the same mistakes he'd made the last time.  This time was going to be different. 

This time he wasn't going to let the silence get to him. 

Chapter 1 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Totally posting this at work...hope I don't get in trouble for this!  lol

March

Orlando, Florida

 

The steady pounding of her feet matched the beat of the song she was listening to.

Thirty-two year old, Orlando native, Kristen Miller, closed her eyes and focused on the music streaming through the ear buds she was wearing as she pushed her feet to keep running. 

So, so what
I'm still a rock star,
I got my rock moves,
And I don't need you,
And guess what,
I'm having more fun,
And now that were done,
I'm gonna show you tonight,
I'm alright,
I'm just fine,
And you're a tool,
So, so what,
I am a rock star,
I got my rock moves,
And I don't want you tonight.

No, no, no, no
I don't want you tonight,
You weren't there,
I'm gonna show you tonight,
I'm alright,
I'm just fine,
And you're a tool,
So, so what,
I am a rock star,
I got my rock moves,
And I don't want you tonight!

The words echoed the thoughts running through her head as Kristen fought not to think about him.  She didn't want to even think his name, or about his blue eyes, or the fact that she had wasted five years of her life with him.  She didn't need him, she told herself.  She was better off without him and she was going to show him he hadn't won.   He may have hurt her--broken her heart and wounded her pride-but she was determined to have the last laugh.

As the last notes of the song faded away, she took the ear buds out of her ears-shoving them into her pocket--and slowed to a walk as she attempted to cool down.  She grabbed the white hand towel slung over one of the arms of the exercise machine.  Wiping the towel over her face, she looked around at the other gym members who were crazy enough to be up at this early hour, torturing themselves.  Her eyes met those of the girl a few treadmills away and Kristen nodded a hello.  Normally she was one who preferred to run outside--enjoying the sights and sounds around her--but it had been raining the last couple days and she had been forced to make better use of her gym membership. 

She turned her attention to the bank of television screens set up on the wall in front of her as she continued walking--the local morning news playing.  She watched as the weather report came on and felt her spirits lift a little at the forecasted sunshine.  If she could get through today, the rain was supposed to let up and they'd be back to enjoying the beautiful, sunny weather that Florida was famous for.

Finally, the timer she had set on the treadmill beeped and the machine came to a stop.  She reached for her bottle of water and, unscrewing the top, took a healthy swallow of the cool liquid--feeling it slide down her throat.  She took another drink then replaced the cap on the bottle.  Wiping her sleeve across her forehead and stepped off the treadmill.  She did a few leg stretches then, grabbing her water bottle, Kristen took another sip and began walking towards the door.  Her pocket suddenly vibrated and she reached in, retrieving her I-phone, and read the text she had received.

Michael's already in a mood today.  Make sure you're not late to the meeting this morning.

"Great." Kristen muttered under her breath with a roll of her eyes.  She looked at the time and swore as she hurried towards the exit.  She wasn't sure she was going to make it in time.  She still had to shower and get ready before making her way across town to work.  She prayed for no traffic as she made her way through the parking lot and got into her black Jeep Wrangler.  As she backed out of her spot and pulled out of the parking lot, Kristen flipped on the radio--the sounds of the DJ's talking filling the interior of her car.  She reached out, intent on changing the station--not really in the mood to listen to them rambling on about celebrity news and gossip this morning--until a specific name caught her attention and made her perk up slightly.  Kristen listened to the show as she continued driving towards her apartment complex--the wipers moving rhythmically back and forth as the rain beat against the windshield.  She reached over and turned the radio up slightly over the noise from the rain.  

"For those just tuning in, we have our old friend Chris Kirkpatrick in the studio with us today." Johnny stated.

"Careful who you're calling old, man." Chris joked, making everyone in the studio laugh.  "It must have been a slow news day for you guys to call me in to come down." He teased.

"Maybe we just missed seeing you."Jayde replied. "You used to come in all the time, now we hardly ever see you."

Kristen couldn't help but roll her eyes at the woman's flirtatious tone and comment as she looked over her shoulder and changed lanes. 

"Okay, so you just got done doing the reunion tour with N SYNC." Johnny said.  "What are you going to do now that it's over?"

"I'm going to Disneyland!" Chris exclaimed excitedly.

Again everyone laughed.  "Seriously man," Johnny continued.  "The album you guys put out last year was great!  Are you going to be releasing another one?"

"Not that I'm aware of." Chris replied.  "You know, we had fun getting back together and we gave our fans one last album and tour like we always promised we would, but I think we're officially done now.  Everyone's doing their own thing now."

"Don't say that!" Jayde chimed in.  "Are you guys really done?"

"Yeah, you know, JC and Justin have both gotten married and JC just had a kid--"

"That's right." Johnny interrupted him.  "Didn't you report on that last month?" He asked Jayde.

"Yep." Jayde replied.  "Just a couple weeks ago actually, right?" She asked Chris.

"Yeah." Chris agreed.  "Everyone's growing up so fast!" Chris commented with an exaggerated sniff and a quiver in his voice as if he were about to start crying.

"Any chance you're going to be following them and getting married yourself?" Johnny asked.

"Hell no!" Chris exclaimed forcefully then laughed.  "I mean, they're all happy and everything and the girls are terrific and I love ‘em.  I'm happy for Justin and JC-they've both found the person they want to spend the rest of their lives with--and Joey too, for that matter...hmmm..." he paused.  "Is it a coincidence that all the J's are married?" He mused with a chuckle.

"I'm sure there's some hidden meaning there." Jayde agreed with a laugh.  "We should get an astrologer or something in here to tell us what that means."

"Anyway," Chris continued with a chuckle.  "They're happy, they're doing their thing but...that's not for me.  Marriage isn't my cross to bear." He teased.

"Alright." Johnny said.  "So the group is over, you're not getting married or having any kids--"

"You're making my life sound so depressing!" Chris interrupted him with a laugh.  "I'm going to die old, fat and alone.  Is that what you're saying?"

"I'm not saying it." Johnny defended.  "You are!"  They both laughed.  "Are you dating anyone right now?"

"Nope."Chris answered without hesitation.

"Are you interested in anyone?  Anyone got your eye at the moment?" Jayde prodded.

"At the moment?" Chris asked.  "No."  He chuckled.  "Are you kidding me?  There are too many good lookin' girls here in Orlando to tie myself down to just one and I just don't ever see myself settling down with one girl, you know?"

 "You've still got your foundation, right?" Johnny asked.

"Yeah." Chris replied.  "We're doing stuff all the time for the foundation and I've been doing some other charity work around town as well.  I'm actually doing a golf tournament next week for the Give Hope Foundation." He continued.  "It's a tournament I've done before."

"At one point you were working on putting together another group," Jayde commented.  "Is that still a possibility?"

Kristen pulled her Jeep into the parking lot of the apartment complex she lived in, but stayed in the car, listening to the radio--strangely intrigued and wanting to hear the rest of this interview.  She sat in the Jeep, the rain falling against the metal top of the covered parking structure she was under and listened to the voices coming through the radio. 

She had grown up amidst the hype of "Boyband Central" that was Orlando in the late 90's and early part of the new millennium.  Though she had been a little older than the majority of the fans at the time, she had still been caught up in the phenomenon that was N SYNC.  She had bought the CD's, and had gone to one of their concerts, but once they had faded from the music scene so had her devotion to them.  Sitting here, though, listening to Chris talk and laugh with the DJ's Kristen smiled as she thought back on those days. 

Justin had always been the cute one that all the girls went crazy for, with JC running a close second but Chris had been the one she had found herself attracted to the most.  There was just something about his smooth, clear voice and his incredible brown eyes that had drawn her in.  She remembered his goofy and crazy antics--his love for life and sense of adventure--and had always wanted to meet him, wondering if he would be as fun to hang out with as he appeared.  Somehow, she knew it would be near impossible to be bored while in the company of the one and only Chris Kirkpatrick and suddenly Kristen wanted to meet him--to see if her theory was correct.

"Anything's possible at this point, man." Chris replied.  "I'm always messing around in the studio and I've worked with a few other artists in the past, producing." He paused for a moment.  "I guess I'm just waiting to see what's going to happen next.  I'm not closing any doors and I'm open for whatever comes my way."

"Sounds good, man." Johnny said.  "If you ever want a job hosting a radio show, let me know.  Alright, Chris is going to be in the studio with us all morning.  Up next..."

Kristen jumped and let out a startled gasp as her phone began vibrating in the cup holder she'd put it in earlier.  She picked it up and looked at the text message she'd received then swore under her breath as she quickly got out of the Jeep and hurried up the stairs to her second floor apartment.

She was going to be late and Michael wasn't going to be happy about it.

~*~

"Thank you for joining us, Ms. Miller." Michael Davenport, Senior Public Relations Director for the Florida Children's Hospital, remarked dryly as Kristen slipped into the meeting that was currently underway an hour later. 

"Sorry." Kristen apologized as she quickly took a seat next to her friend and co-worker Amie Kerrington.  "Traffic." She replied.

"Like I was saying..." Michael picked right back up where he had left off and Kristen tuned him out as she reached for one of the bagels sitting on the tray in the center of the conference table. 

"Thanks for the text this morning." She breathed to Amie as she sat back in her seat, picking at the cranberry bagel.  She put a piece in her mouth and began chewing.

"A lot of good it did sending it to you," Amie remarked quietly from the corner of her mouth.  "You were still ten minutes late."

"That's better than it would have been without it." Kristen replied with a smile as she flipped open her notebook and began jotting down notes as Michael continued to drone on about policy reminders and proper name tag etiquette.  Amie glanced over at Kristen and rolled her eyes at one point and Kristen had to bite back the laugh that wanted to escape at the look on the other girl's face. 

Being a part of the public relations team at the hospital had its perks--being able to be the liaison between the community and the hospital, helping to brainstorm and organize fundraising projects, and being able to spend time with the kids who were staying there--but these bi-weekly staff meetings definitely weren't one of them.  More often than not, they were a waste of time and Kristen could list half a dozen things she could be doing right now that would be a bigger benefit to the hospital instead of being in this meeting.

"Now, I'm going to turn the rest of the time over to Michelle for some brainstorming and strategizing." Michael remarked and Kristen watched as he sat down, his extensive girth encased in an obnoxious sweater that was straight out of a Cosby Show episode.  Bill would be proud.  Kristen thought with a quiet chuckle.  Her eyes then turned to Michelle--the petite blonde who was old enough to be her mother and who had been a part of the fundraising and special events staff here at the hospital for the last twenty years. 

"Alight guys, like Michael said, it's time for a little brainstorming." Michelle began, setting a large pad of paper up on the easel in the corner of the room.  "I want us to come up with some really unique and spectacular ideas for some events for the coming year so let's put our heads together and come up with some ideas that will really energize people and make them want to participate and donate.  What do you have?"  She stood ready, black sharpie in hand, to write down any and all ideas they could come up with.

"A golf tournament." Kristen replied.

"We do that every year." Mark, the guy sitting to Kristen's left stated. 

"What about a celebrity golf tournament?" Amie asked.

"Like that's never been done before." Came the sarcastic comment from down at the end of the table.  Amie leaned forward and gave a death glare to Paul, the intern who had dared open his mouth to disagree with her.

"Uh-uh." Michelle shook her head.  "We're brainstorming, remember?  Which means any and all ideas can be put on the table and nobody can say anything negative about them." She said as she wrote down the words "celebrity golf tournament" on the pad of paper.

"What about a different kind of celebrity ball game?" Kristen supplied.  "Like baseball or basketball?" 

"Ooh, I like that idea." Michelle smiled as she wrote it down.  "What else?"

They spent the next twenty minutes throwing out ideas on everything from a carnival to celebrity cook-off challenge.  "Somehow, it always comes back to celebrities." Kristen muttered under her breath.

"Of course." Amie replied leaning towards her.  "Don't you know?  They're the only ones who can afford to donate their time and talent and the ones that will make regular people pull out their checkbooks for a chance to see." She grinned.  "How else do you expect Molly Housewife to donate unless you can get Justin Timberlake to hit a few golf balls out on the course?"

"You forget, he also did a benefit concert that night." Kristen remarked.  "Which was a big draw for fans."

"There's an idea." Amie smiled then turned back to the group.  "How about a benefit concert?" She put the idea out on the table.  "We contact some of the musicians who live in the area and see if they'd be willing to put on a benefit show."

"Who?" Kyle, the newest member of their staff asked with a derisive laugh.  "Former, washed-up boyband members?" He rolled his eyes.  "Who would pay to see them perform?"

"Uh, how about all the thousands of fans who went to their reunion tour last year?" Kristen remarked, glaring at Kyle from across the table--not sure why she felt the need to protect a couple of guys she'd never met and had no personal interest in. 

"Benefit concert." Michelle said, speaking the words as she added them to the list they had been making.  She snapped the top back on the marker she had been using and looked at the list for a moment then turned and faced the group.  "I think we were able to come up with some really good ideas today." She smiled.  "Amie, I want you and Kristen to run with this benefit concert idea.  See what you can come up with for our next meeting in two weeks."

"Awesome!" Amie exclaimed.  She and Kristen smiled at each other. 

"Kyle," Michelle said, continuing to hand out assignments.  "I want you and Mark to work on some sort of ball game idea and I'll be looking to what we can do for some sort of community carnival for next fall." She sat down then and Michael stood again--dismissing them. 

"Want to go with me down to the cafeteria?" Amie asked as the girls left the conference room. 

"I'm not hungry." Kristen replied. 

"I didn't ask if you were hungry." Amie stated with a chuckle.  "I asked if you wanted to go down with me."

Kristen smiled.  "Okay.  Let me stop by my desk first to set this down," she lifted the notebook in her hand. "Then I'll go down with you."

~*~

"So, how are you?" Amie asked as she leaned back against the counter, waiting for the coffee she had ordered to be prepared-her blue eyes regarding Kristen intently.

"I'm fine." Kristen nodded, forcing a smile.

Kris..." Amie drawled, clearly seeing through her ruse.

"Don't." Kristen said, shaking her head once as she looked at her friend.  The girls' eyes met for a moment, a tense silence falling between them as Kristen silently begged her friend not to bring it up.  She was trying to forget about what had happened and move past it.  It didn't help that everyone she knew kept asking how she was and if there was anything they could do for her.  "I'm fine." She insisted. 

Amie narrowed her eyes slightly, unconvinced, then sighed in resignation.  "You're going to have to talk about it at some point." She said.  She turned around as the girl that was working the registers reappeared with her cup of coffee.  She paid and turned back to face Kristen.

"Someday." Kristen nodded in agreement.  "But not today."

"Fine." Amie said as the girls began walking back towards their offices.  "So, if you're not going to talk about Ke..." she trailed off at the sharp glare that Kristen threw her way.  "That." She finished.  "Then let's talk about this whole benefit concert idea." She said with an excited grin.  "What kind of connections do we have from past events with people in the music business?  Which musicians would bring in the biggest crowds?"

"That is a good question." Kristen mused.  "All the big names I can think of are almost too big, you know?  I mean, why would they want to come to Orlando to do a benefit concert for our hospital when they can do something for the hospital where they live." She sighed.

"Okay...so, we go with my idea from earlier and contact musicians who already live here." Amie stated.

"The only ones I know off the top of my head are the ones that Kyle's going to laugh at us for bringing up." Kristen replied.

"I don't give a flying flip about Kyle right now." Amie stated making Kristen laugh.  "Those ‘former, washed-up boyband members' as he referred to them, are frikin' hot!" She exclaimed, again making Kristen laugh. "The fact that they're mostly all married now with kids makes them even hotter.  And they can sing and they're great performers.  Let's see if we can get them on board with this."

Kristen smiled.  "One of them was on the radio this morning." She said as the girls walked into the back administration area of the hospital and down the hall to their offices.  

"Which one?"

"Chris Kirkpatrick." Kristen replied.

"He's always around town supporting some charity or another.  Think he'd be willing to be part of a benefit concert?" Amie questioned.

"I don't know." Kristen shrugged.  "I'll text him and ask." She teased with a chuckle.

"Brat." Amie replied under her breath.

"He's got his own foundation that deals with kids." Kristen continued with a smile.  "Maybe we can do something that would benefit both him and us." She offered. 

Amie nodded.  "I like the way you think, Miller.  Okay, let's see what kind of contacts we have and what favors and strings we can pull and regroup for lunch?  Want to go to Firehouse?" Amie asked.  "About eleven-thirty?"

"Sounds like a plan." Kristen grinned.

"Awesome!" Amie replied.  "Betcha I can pull more strings than you can." She challenged.

"In your dreams, Herrington." Kristen laughed.  "You're goin' down!"

~*~

Chris pulled his sunglasses down from where they had been resting on the bill of the black ball cap he'd been wearing and slipped them over his eyes.  He stood for a moment outside the radio studio then, pulling up the bagging cargo shorts he was wearing, he walked across the parking lot towards his car. It had been fun being back in the studio again with Johnny and Jayde.  Before the reunion tour last year he had been a regular on their show-usually coming in on Friday's to put in his two cents on whatever the hot topics were.  He liked to talk, and everyone seemed to like hearing the stories he had to tell and the comments he made.  He pulled his cell phone from his pocket as it vibrated and read the text as he opened the door to his Escalade--surprised to see it was from JC.  Though it was mid-morning in Orlando, it was still pretty early in LA.  JC was never one to call or text before noon in whatever time zone he was in.

Don't ever have kids.

Chris laughed as he slid behind the wheel and put the key in the ignition. 

Not planning on it.

Chris sent the reply then pulled out of his parking spot.  His phone vibrated again as he exited the station's parking lot and began driving through downtown Orlando. 

Three am feedings, and a baby who won't go to sleep unless you're holding her are worse than any tour schedule we ever had.

Chris chuckled as he read JC's text.  "Come on, Big Daddy." He muttered under his breath--using the nickname JC had been given years ago.  "Suck it up."  He typed the words coming from his mouth and sent them to his friend and band-mate as he sat, stopped at a red light. 

Don't ever have kids.

Chris laughed as JC repeated his earlier text.  He replied, telling JC to give Rachel a hug for him then looked up at the traffic light that was still red.  "This is the longest damn light in the history of long lights!" He exclaimed, though he was all alone in the car and nobody was around to hear his complaint.  Definitely a sign you've been alone too long. He thought with a roll of his eyes and a shake of his head at his talking to himself.  He hadn't had people over in a while.  Maybe it was time to put the call out and see who was up for a party tonight.  The light finally changed and he drove forward--only to be stopped by the next red light. 

He groaned as he shifted in his seat--putting his right hand up on the steering wheel as he leaned his left arm on the door-and looked out his window.  A black Wrangler pulled up beside him and he suddenly found his attention drawn to the occupant of the Jeep.  The woman was tapping her hands against the steering wheel-her curly brown hair moving along with her head and body to the beat of whatever song she was listening to.  Chris found his lips turning up in a smile as he observed her.  She was cute and he liked the fact that she wasn't afraid to let loose and have fun--singing and dancing in her car and not paying any attention to who may be watching her.  Suddenly her lips began moving as she began to sing along and he wondered what she was listening to. The light changed though, and he watched as she pulled out ahead of him and turned down the next street.  He had half a mind to follow her--to ask her what she had been listening to that had put her in such a good mood.  He shook his head at the thought, dismissing it as quickly as it had come and continued driving straight. 

Definitely been alone too long.  He thought.  When he found himself wanting to stalk beautiful strangers it was time to let loose and get a little crazy.  Either that or I need to get laid.  He mused with a chuckle as he flipped on the radio.  Probably both. He mused as he picked up his phone again.  Both could be solved easily enough.  All he had to do was send a few texts, make a few calls, and he'd be set to go. 

I've got a feeling...

Chris couldn't help the chuckle that came as the Black Eye Peas' song started playing.  He reached over, turning the volume up higher and began singing along.

I've got a feeling

That tonight's gonna to be a good night

That tonight's gonna be a good, good night...

End Notes:

Song credits: "So What" by Pink and "I Got A Feeling" by Black Eyed Peas

Chapter 2 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

just a fair warning...not all of my updates are going to come so close together!  lol...this next chapter just came together really quick :) 

"A benefit concert?" Chris asked a week later as he stood leaning back against his PT Cruiser at the gas station.  He watched as the digital numbers on the pump continued to climb, while his cell phone was pressed against his ear.

"I got a call about it a couple days ago." Joey said, his voice coming through the phone.  "The Children's Hospital is trying to put something together as a fundraiser.  What do you think?"

"Are they wanting all of us there?" Chris asked, his free hand reaching up as he rubbed the back of his neck.  "I don't think C's really in a position to be leaving Rachel right now with the baby and all and Justin can't keep his hands or eyes off Aubrey for more than two seconds.  Those last couple weeks there on the tour with those two were ridiculous." He chuckled.

"No.  I think they're just looking for local musicians and celebrities." Joey interrupted him. 

"Why?" Chris asked.  The pump shut off and he straightened.  Sandwiching the phone between his shoulder and ear he pulled the nozzle out of the car's gas tank and returned its resting place.

"Why, what?" Joey asked.

"Why do they want us?" Chris asked as he grabbed the receipt that the machine spit out then walked around the car.  He opened the driver's side door and slid behind the wheel. 

"Because we're local musicians and celebrities." Joey replied in a tone that indicated the answer should have been obvious then chuckled. 

"Oh, really?" Chris replied sarcastically. "Yeah thanks, Joe.  I didn't know that."

"You're the one who asked, doofus." Joey replied with a laugh.

"We sing back-up, Joe." He said as he pulled away from the gas pump and out of the parking lot.  "That's what I meant.  We sing back-up, so why do they want us?"

"I don't know, man." Joey replied.  "But it's a good cause.  Think about it, okay?"

"Sure." Chris nodded as he continued driving.  "I'll think about it.  You still coming over tonight to watch the game?"

"Yeah, I'll be there." Joey said. 

"Great."  Chris said, pulling the phone away from his ear as another call buzzed through.  "Hey listen, I've got another call coming in but I'll see ya tonight, okay?"

"Yeah, see ya man." Joey said. 

Chris ended the call with Joey and answered the other one coming in. "Mike!" He greeted the caller.  "What's happenin' my brother?"

"Long time no talk, Kirkpatrick." Mike answered.  "What are you up to?"

"Wasting time, why?" Chris answered. 

"Just wanted to give you a call and see if you wanted to mess around in the studio for a bit today.  Dave and Ernie and I were about to head down there."

Mike--a friend and guitar player that Chris had met several years ago--had, at one point, tried to put together their own group.  They sounded pretty good in the studio and had fun writing and messing around with different songs but the group had never really gotten off the ground.  Johnny's question to Chris last week about this other group when he'd been on the radio show had gotten him thinking though.  Maybe it was time to focus and put his energy into this other venture.  Music was his life and passion and he constantly had words and melodies floating around in his head.  This other group was a different sound and feel then N SYNC was, and he wasn't sure how people would react to it--or to him being the lead singer instead of just backup--but he suddenly wanted to see if they could finish the album they'd begun a couple years ago.

"Sure." Chris nodded, though he was alone in his car.  He switched lanes and quickly made a U-turn as soon as he could.  His phone buzzed again, indicating another incoming call.  Chris pulled it away from his ear and looked at the number, his brows furrowing slightly.  Not recognizing who it was, he ignored the call--letting it go to voicemail--and went back to his conversation with Mike.

"Awesome!" Mike exclaimed.  "I've got some new stuff I've been working on that I want to show you.  I think it's the sound we were looking for a few years ago but couldn't ever find."

"Give me fifteen minutes." Chris said.  "I'll meet you there."

"Sounds good." Mike replied.  "I'll see ya there."

~*~

"Any luck?"

Kristen looked up as Amie popped into her office that afternoon.  She hung up her desk phone and turned in her chair.  "No." She sighed.  "I've only been able to leave messages all week.  Nobody's answering their phones or calling me back." She said as Amie sat down on the edge of her desk.  "What about you?"

"I talked to a few of the vendors we've used before," Amie said as she pushed some of her dark hair away from her face.  "Everyone sounds like they're willing to jump on board with this project but nobody's really committing yet." She reported as she turned slightly and picked up one of the pictures Kristen had sitting on her desk.  "I love this picture." She commented with a grin as she looked at the photo in her hand. 

Kristen sat up, looking at the picture Amie was holding, then leaned back in her chair. It had been taken of the two of them about six months ago when they had gone down to Key West for a "Girl's Weekend."  They'd found an awesome hole-in-the-wall bar on their last night down there that had been doing karaoke and had had a blast.  "Me too." Kristen nodded.  "Me too." 

She smiled sadly as she thought about that weekend. Those three days were really the last time she could honestly remember being happy.  She and Amie had gotten home from that trip and everything in Kristen's life had then fallen apart.  The last few months had been one giant crap shoot and right now she would give just about anything for the ride to be over.  She was physically and emotionally drained and she wasn't sure how much more she could take. 

"We haven't done any karaoke since that night." Amie mused as she replaced the picture and looked at Kristen.  "We should go out tomorrow night." She grinned excitedly.  "I know this great place, what do you say?"

"Sure." Kristen nodded. "Sounds great." She smiled.  "It's only Thursday but I already need a drink.  Or two." She replied dryly.

"Or three." Amie laughed.  "Especially since I just found out Kyle and Mark already have half a dozen celebrities committed to the baseball game they're organizing." Amie rolled her eyes and stuck out her tongue.  "Stupid boys."

"Already?" Kristen asked.  "But how..."

"I don't know." Amie shrugged. 

"Maybe they're lying." Kristen suggested.  "They could just be lying to throw us off and make us think they're being more successful than they really are."

"Maybe." Amie said with a nod.  "But I don't think so." She shook her head.  "Mark really isn't that great of a liar and he was the one I was talking to."

"Well, shit." Kristen replied as she blew out a frustrated breath.

 "Don't worry.  Our concert is going to be better." Amie assured her.  "I can feel it." She grinned.

"Whatever you say, Ames." Kristen replied with a slight roll of her eyes.  "Whatever you say."

"Alright." Amie said as she hopped off of Kristen's desk and put her hands on her slim hips.  "I'm going to go make some more calls.  We've got to have something to show Michael and Michelle next week or we're screwed."

"Yeah, let me know how it goes." Kristen said as Amie left.  She sat for a minute, leaning back in her chair then, with a sigh, she sat back up and turned to face her computer.  Opening up a new internet browser window she began surfing, trying to find some more contacts--any and everyone who might be interested in helping them put together this concert.  She spent the next hour and a half making numerous calls to managers, PR reps, venue coordinators and radio stations--leaving a lot of messages, and generally just finding herself becoming more and more discouraged as the afternoon wore on.  What had started out as an exciting idea was turning out to be a giant pain in the ass.  This event wasn't coming together quite as easily as she and Amie had thought it would. 

Somehow I need to meet one of these guys.  She thought, staring at the list they had put together of all the local musicians and even those who had ever once called Florida home.  Somehow I need to meet one of them, become their friend and then convince them to help me put this together.  She tapped her pen on the desk as she stared at the list.  But how...

She jumped slightly when her phone rang. 

"Marketing, this is Kristen." She answered a bit distractedly, still studying the paper in front of her.

"Did you forget about our appointment?" An all too familiar voice came through the phone lines and Kristen's heart dropped to the pit of her stomach.  She looked at the calendar hanging on the wall beside her desk in surprise and then at her watch and swore as she pushed back from her desk.

"Shit." She muttered under her breath.  "No." She stated, standing up.  She sandwiched the phone between her ear and her shoulder as she hit a few keys on the keyboard--locking her computer and bent down to retrieve her purse from the bottom drawer.  "I'm on my way." She lied.  "I got...I got tied up with work but...but I'm coming.  I'll be there."

"Same old Kristen." He chuckled.  "Couldn't be on time to save your life."

Kristen bit her tongue to keep from saying anything to him she might later regret.  "I said I'd be there, Kevin." She replied tersely then hung up on him.  "Bastard." She breathed.  She stood for a moment in her office--her jaw clenched slightly and her eyes closed--as she fought to regain her composure.  She didn't want him to see her anger.  He didn't deserve it and she didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing he could still affect her so easily.  Finally, when she could feel her blood pressure leveling off she slung her purse over her shoulder and left her office.  Trying to devise someway to meet and befriend a celebrity would have to wait until tomorrow.  Besides, she thought.  That's never going to happen anyway.

As she stepped onto the elevator Kristen pressed the button that would take her down to the ground level.  She'd lived here her entire life and hadn't once run in to anyone famous.  Ever.  Now that she needed to meet someone what were the chances her luck would change? Slim to none. She told herself.  Those are the chances-slim to none.  When had luck ever been on her side? 

Kristen's shoulders slumped slightly as she leaned back against the wall of the elevator.  When had she become so bitter?  She had always been a positive and optimistic person.  When had she stopped seeing the glass as being half full?  Maybe it was when you came home to find your husband and your best friend in bed together? A small voice in the back of her mind whispered.  Kristen closed her eyes and bit her bottom lip as her heart constricted painfully at the memory. 

That was it. 

That was when her hope and faith had been shattered. 

She wiped at the lone tear that had escaped from beneath her lashes and straightened as the elevator came to a stop and the doors opened.  Stubbornly she squared her shoulders and sniffed back the tears that wanted to fall as she walked out of the hospital.  She smiled at the girls behind the front desk--her carefully constructed mask of self-control slipping easily back into place.  To those who didn't know her well, there was no hint of anything being out of place in her world.  She still said hello to them every day and went about her normal job duties around the hospital with a smile on her face.  They didn't know that she now went home alone to a small one-bedroom apartment or that the girl she had once considered her best and closest friend had betrayed her in the worst possible way.  They didn't know that in the past six months Kristen had cried herself to sleep more often than not or that she wondered constantly about what it was she had done that was so wrong. 

Kristen exited the hospital and walked across the expansive parking lot to her Jeep that was waiting patiently for her--again, sniffing back the tears.  She was sick of crying over this whole situation.  She was sick of crying over him.  She felt like that's all she'd been doing for months now and she wanted to know when it would stop.  When would she stop crying over someone she didn't want anymore?  When would she stop mourning the loss of "what could have been?"  When would she stop feeling lost and confused?

When would she be happy again?       

~*~

Gone away, far from good
Left alone again

In the dark
Hoping to find, something that I can hold
To take away some of the pain

Who am I, lost at the first sign
Why am I, letting go at the worst time
Where will you be when the last train has

Gone away, I feel cold
Yesterday, has gone

If I look
Maybe I'll find, something that I can hold
To take away some of the pain

Who am I, lost at the first sign
Why am I, letting go at the worst time
Where will you be when the last train has

Left you with nothing there's no more that I can do
Caught up in circles there's no one can see me through
I never believed that the grass wasn't greener
The sky isn't falling, I didn't stop breathing

I didn't stop breathing

Who am I, lost at the first sign
Why am I, letting go at the worst time
Where will you be when the last train has

Left you with nothing there's no more that I can do
Where do we belong

Chris sat in the sound booth of the studio where he'd met up with Mike and the other guys a few hours ago, listening to the tack they'd just laid down.  He nodded his head and tapped his foot along to the beat of the song as he swiveled back and forth in the chair he was sitting in.  It needed to be cleaned up quite a bit but, Mike had been right.  This was the sound they had been looking for a few years ago when they had tried to put the group together before but for some reason they hadn't been able to find it until now.  Chris felt a sudden surge of excitement over the prospect of putting together this album.  It was going to take a lot of hard work but he had spent the last fifteen years in the music business.  He knew all about hard work.  He knew the ins and outs of putting together an album.  He had more knowledge, skills and connections now than he'd had before and those things were what were going to turn this dream into a reality. 

"I think we got a real shot at doing this." He said, turning to Mike. 

"Me too." Mike said with a smile. 

Chris shifted in his chair as his phone vibrated in his pocket.  He looked at the screen and stood.  "I gotta go." He said as he looked at Mike. 

"Okay." The other guy nodded.

"I'm having some people over tonight to watch the game.  You wanna come over?" Chris asked as he shoved his phone back into his pocket and pulled his pants up.  The shorts settled back where they had been sitting low on his hips as he lifted his arms above his head and stretched.

"Sure, what time?" Mike asked.

"The game starts at six-thirty but I'm going to be grilling about six.  Just come over whenever you want." Chris replied as he pushed up the arms of the black hoodie he was wearing. 

"Alright, man." Mike nodded. 

"Thanks for calling me today." Chris said.  "I'm excited about this." He gestured to the soundboard in front of them.  The guys shook hands and Chris left the studio.  He looked at his watch, mentally judging the time it would take to go to the store and get what he needed for tonight.  He didn't need to get any alcohol--he'd already restocked after the party he'd had last week--but he needed to get stuff to eat.  His fridge had been looking a little bare recently and he'd been putting off going to the store--ordering take-out a bit more than he should have the last couple days.  Pulling out of the parking lot of the studio, Chris drove towards home-musing about how his life had changed over the last couple years.  There had been a time, not too long ago, where he hadn't been able to drive around town like this to meet up with some friends at a recording studio alone--much less go to the grocery store for himself. 

He was grateful for everything that had happened in his life, and all he had been blessed with, but he was even more thankful that he didn't have to rely on other people to do simple things for him anymore.  At first he had thought it was cool--having people who were around that would shop for him-but he'd soon begun to miss it and wish he could just go to the store himself when he needed some toothpaste or a case of beer or felt the need for a bag of Doritos at two am.  He'd grown up with practically nothing and almost overnight had been given everything.  Literally.  However, the more time had gone by the more he'd begun to feel bad about having to rely on someone else to do simple, everyday things.  Though he had traveled the world several times over, had sung in front of sold out stadiums, and had more money now than he ever dreamed of having as a kid he was determined to never take the simple things in life for granted again. 

He had been blessed and he had worked hard.  Though he did enjoy a lot of the finer things in life, the strong work ethic that had been seen him through the poverty of his childhood, and had helped make his dreams a reality, refused to let him be lazy.  Spoiled was a word that had never and would never be used to describe him. 

Crazy?  Yes. 

Immature?  Sometimes. 

Fun-loving?   Most definitely. 

Spoiled?  Never.    

Chris put his sunglasses on as he turned his car west and began driving towards home.  A quick stop at the grocery store, then home to get things ready.  The Magic were playing the Lakers tonight in LA and a grin slid across Chris' face.  He knew Justin was going to be at the game tonight--he often was whenever he was home and the Lakers were hosting--and Chris couldn't wait to rub it in the younger man's face when his team won.   That phone call was going to be fun.  

~*~            

Kristen angrily slammed the door of her Jeep as she climbed in and slid behind the wheel.  After spending two hours with her soon to be ex-husband and their divorce lawyers, her disappointing afternoon at work had quickly gone from bad to worse.  She put her hands on the steering wheel and leaned forward--closing her eyes as she rested her forehead there as well.  How had she never known what a jackass Kevin truly was?  How had she spent five years with the guy--the last three being married to him--and never known what he was really like?  Kristen had sat there, across the conference room table from him, speechless as he had begun playing the victim.  Stating that it was all her fault; that she had pushed him and Andrea together because she was never home, was always working, and she wasn't a good wife.  He was a man, he had stated, and he had needs and if she wasn't going to fulfill them like their marriage certificate said she would then he had no other choice than to look elsewhere.

"What about my needs?" She had angrily shot back at him.  "What about all of the promises you've broken?  What about all of the times you've left me alone to go on your ‘business trips,' hooking up with God knows who?  It's a miracle you haven't given me anything." She spat, shuddering slightly.  When she'd found him and Andrea together, she was soon to learn that her best friend wasn't the only one Kevin had been with.  She had finally gotten her husband to admit to her that there had been numerous other women over the course of their relationship.  Kristen had felt sick and had left--walking out, though she knew she should have been the one to kick him out.  She couldn't do it though.  She couldn't stay in that house and be constantly bombarded by all of the memories that were now tainted by his lying and cheating. 

"Why?" She had asked him before she had left that night.

"I was bored." He had shrugged casually.  "It was fun at the beginning, but..." again he had shrugged and Kristen had felt like strangling him.  "Then you just got boring."  She heard the crack of her hand against his cheek before she realized she had slapped him.  His head jerked back and he looked at her with fire blazing in his blue eyes.  "Hmmm..." he commented, rubbing his cheek with his hand.  "Maybe there's still some spunk left in you, after all." He said, his eyes running over her appreciatively.

"You make me sick." She spat out.  "Don't look at me like that.  You've lost the right to ever look at me like that again!  I'll see you in court." She said, then angrily opened the door and walked out. 

With a heavy sigh, Kristen sat up--her head falling back against the head rest.  She had hoped they would be able to settle the divorce quickly and both move on, but she should have known that would too easy.  Nothing in her life ever went the way she wanted it too and Kevin was determined to drag this out as long as possible--to make it as messy as possible.  For what reason, she had no idea but he was fighting her on every request she made. 

She leaned forward again as she put the key in the ignition and started the car.  She reached a hand back behind her to grab her seatbelt.  Pulling it across her chest Kristen buckled it at her hip, her eyes landing on the plastic grocery bag and case of beer sitting on the passenger seat.  After leaving the meeting Kristen had stopped by the store.  She normally didn't shop on this side of town, but it was the nearest store to her lawyer's office and there was only one way to end a day like the one she'd had: she was going to get a head start on the weekend by eating things she shouldn't and getting drunk--fully prepared to call out sick in the morning.  Maybe then she could forget about the absolute mess her life had become.  Maybe then she could forget about the fact that she had supposedly pushed her husband into cheating on her and that she was boring. 

Kristen scoffed.  Boring was a word that had never been used to describe her.  Logically she knew it wasn't her fault.  Kevin was the one with the problem, but it still hurt that she hadn't been enough to keep him satisfied--that there had been something about her and their relationship that had pushed him to go looking for it somewhere else.  With another sigh she shifted the Jeep into reverse and quickly backed out of her parking space.    

She heard the car horn blare behind her a second before she felt the jolt and heard the sound of metal colliding.  Her heart leapt into her throat as she quickly slammed on her brakes and turned to look behind her.  "Damn it!" She swore as she saw the car she had just hit.  Putting the Jeep in drive she pulled back into her spot, put the car into park and turned it off--laying her head against the steering wheel again.  "Why?" She cried out.  "Why?!" She hit the steering wheel with one hand then undid her seatbelt.  With another sigh--this one of resignation--Kristen opened her door and got out, prepared to face the responsibilities of her actions.  She hadn't been paying attention.  She hadn't looked behind her before she'd started backing out and this was all her fault.  She ran a hand through her hair and took a few deep breaths as she walked around the car.  I'm not going to cry.  She told herself as she came to stand at the back of her Jeep.  I'm not going to cry.  The owner of the other vehicle was already out, bent over, examining the area where their cars had met.  Kristen grimaced as she saw the large bumper shaped indent now adorning the back passenger side door and fender of the PT Cruiser.  She looked at her Jeep, but couldn't see any damage. 

"I am so sorry." Kristen apologized to the man.  "I...I have a good insurance policy, so...so don't worry about it." She continued.  "It'll be..." she trailed off as the man stood.  He removed the sunglasses he was wearing and Kristen's heart stopped beating for a moment.   His brown eyes observed her intently while she felt her own brown eyes widen in shock.  She stood there, staring at him--her jaw hanging open--and wondered if she was somehow asleep.  Was it possible that this whole day had just been one giant nightmare?  Please, God...she prayed. 

She pinched her arm and felt the sting.  "Perfect." She muttered under her breath, her resolve to not cry slipping quickly.  I said I wanted to meet him.  She thought.  Not total his car. She took a shaky breath as she ran her hand through her hair again. 

Why were the fates never on her side? 

End Notes:
song credit: Who Am I by Nigel's 11
Chapter 3 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
leaving this weekend to go to California so there won't be another update for a few days...

Chris stood, looking at the woman standing in front of him--intrigued.  She stared back at him, her brown eyes wide with surprised and recognition.  She knew who he was.  He silently braced himself for the inevitable reaction that was coming.  He was a bit unsure what she was going to do once she got over her shock and that scared him a little.  He watched, warily, as she ran a hand through her thick curls.  He didn't miss the way her fingers trembled slightly, or the look on her face that stated she was on the verge of tears.  He was used to girls shaking and crying around him but he got the sense that he wasn't the reason for her emotional state. 

He was caught off guard briefly at a sudden flash of memory.  A black Jeep pulling up beside him, the woman behind the wheel singing and dancing along to her radio, her curls bouncing around her shoulders...

Was it possible...

He looked back and forth between the girl and the Jeep in front of him then surprised them both when he chuckled.  What were the odds he'd run into--literally--the same girl again?  They had to be a million to one.  Too bad I don't play the lottery.  He thought to himself.  Today could be my lucky day.

"Are you okay?" She asked, looking at him in question.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He said, his initial anger over the accident completely dissipating.  "You?" He asked.

"No." She stated.  He looked at her sharply.  "I mean, yes." She quickly amended and he felt himself sighing in relief.  Neither of them had been going very fast but there was always the possibility of injury in any car accident.  "I'm fine." She nodded.

Yes, you are.  Chris thought.  He shook his head.  Knock it off. He told himself.  You don't know this girl and you don't need to rattle her even more than she already is by leering at her. 

"I'll go...I'll go get my insurance information." She said, gratefully interrupting his internal dialogue.

I've really got to stop talking to myself.

"Do you want to call the police and file a report?" She asked.

"I don't think there's any need to get them involved." Chris shook his head as he turned to survey the damage to his car once again.  He grimaced.  It was going to take a lot to fix this.  Maybe he should just trade in the old thing and get something new?

"Are you sure?" She asked, looking at him in question.

"Yeah." He nodded, turning back to look at her.  "Unless you don't feel comfortable just exchanging information.  You look like I can trust you." He stated.  "You're not going to give me bogus information are you?" He teased, trying to get a smile out of her.  He couldn't stand the sad and pitiful look on her face anymore.

"No.  I swear." She replied seriously, her eyes silently pleading with him to believe her.  "Maybe you should call the police."

"Relax." He smiled.  "I was teasing."  He chuckled.

"Oh." She replied.  "Right.  Uhm..." She trailed off, gestured silently over her shoulder, then turned back around towards the Jeep muttering something under her breath.  Chris pushed the sleeves of his sweatshirt up farther on his forearms as he followed her.

"What was that?" He asked. 

"Huh?" She jumped slightly and turned to looked at him, her hand on the door handle of the Jeep. 

"I didn't hear what you said just now." He told her. 

"Believe me, you don't want to know what I just said." She answered with a roll of her eyes.

"Bad day?" He guessed with a smile.

"You have no idea." She breathed as she yanked open the door of the Jeep.  "And this," she waved her hand in the air, "is just the icing on cake." She continued as she leaned into her car. 

Chris' head turned to the side slightly as his eyes ran over her from behind.  He felt one eye brow rise in appreciation as his thoughts began wandering again.  She straightened and he quickly averted his gaze--rubbing the back of his neck as he looked down at his shoes, hoping she hadn't caught him checking her out.  He looked back up at her, their eyes meeting again and once more he found himself intrigued-fascinated by her eyes.  "It can't be that bad, can it?" He asked, the urge to reach out and hug this woman once again coming over him. 

"Yes." She stated with a nod.  "It can.  Let's just say...the last six months have been on long, extended vacation to hell. But enough about me," she plastered a ridiculously fake smile on her face.  "Do you have anything to write with?" She questioned.

"Uh..." he turned towards his car, pulling his hands from the pocket of his hoodie and patted the sides of his shorts--searching for a pen.  "Yeah." He said, turned around.  "I'm sure I've got something."  She followed him this time as he opened the passenger side door of his car and ducked inside. He found a pen on the floor and opened the glove box, hoping to find some scrap of paper or something to write on.  "Here." He said pulling out of the car and holding his hands out to her.

"A napkin?" She asked, one dark brow rising as she looked at him.

"It's all I've got." He shrugged with a smile.  "It works though, right?"

"Sure..." she drawled, taking the pen and the napkin from him.  She turned, placed the napkin against the hood of his car and bent over slightly as she began to write down her contact and insurance information for him.

She was beautiful. 

A little messed up, perhaps, but beautiful none the less.  From her curly hair, to her sad brown eyes, to the tailored blue shirt she was wearing and the black slacks covering her perfect curves...

Besides, who isn't a little messed up?  He thought with a chuckle.  She glanced over at him and he smiled at her. 

"I'm Kristen, by the way." She told him. 

"Chris." He replied.

"I know." She stated with a nod of her head as she went back to writing.  "I know who you are." 

"Really?" He asked.  "Hmmm..." He mused.  "Could have fooled me."  She looked over at him again as she straightened.  Her brow furrowed slightly and he grinned.  "You didn't scream or pass out when you saw me." He told her. 

"It's not every day I run into a celebrity's car." She told him as she held out the pen and napkin to him.  "It kind of took me by surprise but I can scream at you now if you'd like." She offered and Chris laughed as he took the napkin from her.  He could see the hint of a teasing sparkle in her eyes.  His smile widened.

"That's okay." He told her.  "I actually prefer it when girls don't scream." She smiled.  "Unless we're in bed, of course."  He added.  Her eyes widened slightly and her brows rose in surprise.  There was an awkward pause and Chris mentally kicked himself.  He really needed to work on his filtering system.  Sometimes things just came out without any thought and his mouth had gotten him into trouble on numerous occasions as a result of that.  She blinked a few times then finally spoke. 

"Wow." She cleared her throat.  He could see a tinge of pink on her cheeks.  "Okay.  Well, I'll, uhm..." she nodded.  "I'll definitely keep that in mind." She told him with a chuckle.  Her chuckle soon turned into a giggle and then a full laugh and he couldn't help but join her--though he wasn't sure what had struck her as being so humorous.  Her laugh was so cute and contagious.  They stood there laughing for a few moments--the shoppers coming and going from the store giving them weird looks--until she finally took a deep breath and composed herself.  "That should be all of the information you need." She told him.

"Aren't we supposed to exchange information?" He asked.  "I think I'm supposed to give you my number and stuff."

"I don't know." Kristen told him.  "This is the first accident I've ever been involved in.  I'm not really sure what we're supposed to do.  I assume that you'll call and make the claim against my policy and then they'll contact me, right?  I mean, there's no damage to my car so I'm not going to be filling a claim or anything." 

"Let me give you my number, anyway." Chris said.  "You know...just in case." 

"You really want to?" She asked.  "I mean, you don't have to.  I know it's got to be hard being who you are and giving out your number to strange women who run into your car in the parking lot at the grocery store might not be the wisest decision you could make." She teased. 

He chuckled.  "I trust you." He said.  I don't know why...he thought, trailing off as he studied her again.  She smiled and he was glad to see that a majority of the sadness that had been in her eyes when she'd first gotten out of her car was gone.  A few more hours with me, baby and I'd make you forget all about him. He thought, barely biting his tongue and keeping the words from escaping.  What is your deal? He chastised himself. It's like you've never seen a pretty girl before!  Need I remind you, you've been around the world and seen beautiful women in every country!  What's so special about this one? 

He couldn't answer that one.   

Besides, how do you know it's a guy causing all her troubles?

He looked at her.

It's a guy.  He answered himself.  That was the only explanation for the look of betrayal and hopelessness in her eyes.  He watched as Kristen pulled a sleek black cell phone from her pocket.  She hit a few buttons then looked up at him.

"Ready." She smiled.  He gave her his number and waited while she saved the information.  Her eyes met his again and an awkward silence fell between them.  "Well..." She began, rocking back on her heels slightly.

"Yeah." Chris replied, scratching at his chin.  "I got to get going." He said, gesturing towards the store.

"Yeah." Kristen nodded.  "Me too." They looked at each other for a moment.  "Listen, I know...it doesn't mean a whole lot, but I'm sorry." She apologized again.  "I wasn't looking where I was going and had my mind on other things."

"It's okay." He smiled, reassuring her.  "I hope your day gets better." He offered, genuinely hoping she had a better night than her day seemed to have been.  You could come over and I'd make sure you it got better.  The thought came and he again mentally kicked himself.  Dude!  Leave the girl alone!  You ain't getting' any of that.

"Some beer and pizza are going to guarantee that it does." She answered as she tucked some of her hair behind her ears. Chris felt his brows rise in pleasant surprise.  A girl that appreciates the finer things in life.  He mused with a small smile.

"You're not going to be alone, I hope." He asked.  "I don't know if I trust leaving you alone right now.  You've had a pretty emotional day." He winked at her. 

She smiled.  "It's best if I'm alone right now." She chuckled.  "Trust me.  I wouldn't be very much fun for anyone to be hanging around with right now."

"Alright..." he drawled as he turned and walked around the front of his car.  "But if you change your mind," he said, looking at her over the top of the Cruiser as he opened the door.  "You have my number." He smiled and she nodded.  Chris looked at her for a moment longer then, not knowing what else to say, got into the car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen stood beside her Jeep and exhaled the breath it felt like she'd been holding even since Chris had stood and their eye had met for the first time.  Damn, that man is sexy! She thought as he drove away.  The eyes, the smile, the laugh, the teasing looks and flirty remarks...

Kristen couldn't help the dreamy sigh that escaped her lips.

Justin ain't got nothin' on that man right there.  She thought as she finally turned and got back into her car.  Whew!

It was a miracle she was still able to stand up straight--much less walk.  Why wasn't she a puddle right now on the ground?  She couldn't help the excited giggle that came out as she looked down at the phone still in her hands and the latest entry added to her list of contacts: Chris Kirkpatrick.  She'd handled that a lot better than she ever thought she would have. 

When she had first been introduced to the phenomenon that was N SYNC ten years ago, she had dreamt--like every other fan out there--of one day meeting the guys, but had always been a little anxious about what her reaction would be like.  Fearing that she would just stand there and hyperventilate and not be able to speak coherently, Kristen had been secretly glad she'd never met Justin, JC, Chris, Joey or Lance thus saving herself from acting like a complete idiot in front of them.  But now that she'd met him she could help but feel like she was back in college--listening to those beautiful harmonies, watching those effortless dance moves, her heart skipping every time a certain pair of brown eyes made their appearance on screen. 

Though she truly was sorry that she'd run into him and damaged his car, Kristen knew she'd do it again in a second if it meant he would look at her the way he had been just now.  If he would smile at her like he did and laugh and tease her again she would run into his car a million times over.  With a smile still plastered on her face, Kristen finally started the Jeep.  The inevitable hike in her insurance premiums were a small price to pay for having met him and not having acted like a complete moron--jumping and screaming in his presence.  As she looked over her shoulder this time to back out again, her eyes landed on the groceries she'd purchased earlier.  She didn't feel the need to go home and get drunk anymore.  Ten minutes in the presence of the one and only Chris Kirkpatrick had made her forget all about Kevin and the misery he had and was continuing to cause her.  She glanced in her rearview mirror as she left the store, a small voice in the back of her mind telling her turn around and take him up on his offer to not leave her alone tonight.  She shook her head at the thought and forced herself to keep driving.  Her life was complicated and messy enough right now without adding in one famous and incredibly attractive musician into the mix. 

Her phone rang, startling her from her thoughts and Kristen reached for it-pulling it from the cup holder she'd placed it in.  Her heart skipped several beats, wondering if it was Chris calling her.  She knew it probably wasn't, but a small part of her hoped it was.  Her shoulders slumped slightly when she saw Amie's name on the screen. 

"Hey." Kristen said, answering the call.

"Hey." Amie replied.  "So, where'd you go this afternoon?  You like, disappeared."

"I had a meeting I totally forgot about this afternoon." Kristen told her friend.  "Sorry I left without saying good-bye but you're never going to believe what just happened to me..."

~*~

"Oh, come on!" Chris yelled at the TV as the referee called a foul on the Magic.  "You've got to be kidding me!  I think someone paid off the ref tonight." He muttered.

Joey laughed from where he sat on the couch, watching as Chris yelled at the television.  "Easy man." He remarked.  

"Did you not see what just happened?" Chris asked him as he turned to look at his friend and former band-mate. 

"I saw." Joey nodded.  He shrugged.  "It was a good call."

Chris growled as he flopped back on the other end of the couch.  The camera panned the crowd.  "Don't look so smug, Timberlake." He muttered as Justin's face filled the screen--sitting next to and holding hands with his wife.   

Joey chuckled as he rolled his eyes.  "You still have a thing for Aubrey?" He asked.

Chris looked over at Joey with a withering look.  "I never had a ‘thing' for Aubrey." He shook his head.  "I was just trying to offer some opposition to prompt Justin along.  We all know the boy doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to women."

"Right." Joey replied with a smirk.

Chris stood as the game cut to commercial.  "Want another beer?" He asked, looking at Joey. 

"Sure." Joey nodded.  He stood as well and followed Chris into the kitchen.  Chris opened the fridge and took out two bottles.  He popped the top off of one and handed it to Joey.  Taking the top off the other bottle he raised it to his lips and took a sip.  "What's this?" Joey asked.

Chris turned--the bottle still pressed to his lips--his eyes landing on the napkin he'd stuck on the fridge when he'd gotten home.  He lowered the bottle and couldn't help the smile that spread.  "I got in an accident today." He said.  "That's the other driver's information."

"A napkin?" Joey asked, looking at Chris in question.

"It was all I had." Chris shrugged.  Joey looked at him for a moment.  "What?" Chris asked.

"Is that why you've been distracted tonight?" Joey questioned.

"Wouldn't you be if you had seen your whole life flash before your eyes and the left side of your car was caved in?" Chris asked.

"Was she hot?" Joey asked.

"What?" Chris replied with a laugh--cursing the warmth he could feel spreading across his face.  He'd always had a hard time hiding his feelings.  "Dude, you're married." He said, trying to throw Joey off.  "What would Kelly say if she heard you ask that kind of question?  Hmmm?"

"She was hot." Joey nodded as he took a swig of his beer--a satisfied smirk on his face.  "You forget how long I've known you, Chris." He chuckled.  "I can read you like a book right now.  When are you gonna call her?"

"She ran into my car, Joe." Chris reminded him.  "Why would I call her?" He asked, trying to play it cool.  Truth was, though, he'd thought about calling Kristen several times since their run-in at the grocery store.  He found himself strangely obsessed with the girl-unable to shake her image from his mind and a part of him wanted to see if she truly was okay being alone tonight.

"Cuz you think she's hot?" Joey supplied, looking at him with raised brows-a sparkle of mischief in his eyes. 

"I meet hot girls all the time." Chris replied, waving his hand through the air-dismissing Joey's reason.

"But how many of their contact information do you have written on a napkin and stuck to your refrigerator?" Joey questioned.

Chris opened his mouth to respond but was interrupted by the doorbell.  "Mike's here!" He exclaimed with a sigh of relief as he hurriedly left the kitchen and Joey's knowing looks.  So, he thought Kristen was hot?  What was wrong with that?  And it was perfectly normal for him to have her information on his fridge.  She had run into him after all and he hadn't had a chance to call the insurance company yet.  He didn't want to lose the policy information so he'd stuck it on the fridge when he'd gotten home to remind himself to call in the morning.  Nothing wrong with that.  He reasoned with himself as he opened his front door--greeting Mike as he let the guy in. 

With the arrival of Mike, Chris was spared from anymore of Joey's remarks about the information he had tacked on his fridge.  He didn't, however, miss the pointed and knowing looks that his friend continued to give him through the remainder of the game.  Chris pretended to ignore them--along with the continued thought to call Kristen--concentrating instead on the game.  The guys talked and laughed and cheered as the Magic finally got their act together and managed to squeak by with the win: ninety-seven to ninety-five. 

After Joey and Mike left, he called Justin and ribbed the younger man mercilessly.  Justin had spent all of pre-season going on and on about how good the Lakers were this year, but every time Chris had seen them play they'd lost and he couldn't pass up the opportunity to rub it in Justin's face one more time. 

"Alright, alright!  You've made your point." Justin finally admitted with a chuckle.  "I was wrong.  They're not so hot this season.  I'll keep my mouth shut from now on."

"No you won't." Chris replied.

"You're right." Justin laughed.  "I won't."

Chris chuckled.  The two men talked for a few minutes, catching up on what they'd been doing since the tour had wrapped up a few weeks ago.  Chris wandered around the house as they talked--unable to sit still for too long.  "Tell Aubrey I said hi." He said as the conversation began to wrap up. 

"She's here, do you want to tell her yourself?" Justin asked.

Before Chris could answer the phone was passed and Chris smiled as Aubrey came on the line.  "Hey, baby." He remarked.  "Given anymore thought to you and I running away together?"

She laughed.  "I love you, Chris." She said.

"But?" He questioned, sensing there was more.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think I could handle you." She replied. 

"What do you mean?" He asked with a laugh. 

"Just between you and me?" She whispered, her voice lowering slightly.  "I can barely handle, Justin, sometimes." She told him.

"I heard that!" Justin's voice came from the background.  "And she's right.  Sometimes I am too much for her.  Ain't that right, baby?" He giggled.

"Would you be quiet?" Aubrey shushed him with a laugh.  "Chris and I are trying to have a conversation here." She continued, attempting to sound stern.

"Or what?" Justin asked, taunting her.  "What are you going to do to me?  You don't scare me, little girl."

"Or you're sleeping alone tonight." Aubrey replied authoritatively and Chris laughed as he listened to the exchange between the couple.  He could picture Justin puffing his chest out in pride at being "too much" for his wife and the deflated look that was undoubtedly on his face after Aubrey shot him down.     

"I'm sorry." Justin said, his voice becoming louder as he got closer to Aubrey in an attempt to get back on her good side.

"Anyway..." Aubrey laughed.  "Like I was saying.  You don't want me.  I don't think I'd be able to keep with you.  You need someone who can match your level of adventure and energy.  But don't worry," she continued.  "You'll find the right girl.  She's out there."  Chris wandered into the kitchen and came to a stop in front of the fridge.  "You'll probably run into her when you least expect it." 

"Who said I was looking for someone?" Chris asked as he stared at Kristen's name.  "I'm not." He insisted, wondering who he was trying to convince more: Aubrey, or himself. 

"Okay." Aubrey replied.  "But when you do find her, I'm going to say I told you so."

End Notes:
reviews are my crack...I want to know what you think!! 
Chapter 4 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
I totally made up the bar where this chapter takes place....

"I still can't believe you ran into him!" Amie exclaimed Saturday night.  She shook her head as she lifted the shot glass in front of her to her lips.  She tipped her head as she threw back the alcohol, hissing slightly as the liquid burned on its way down.  She set the glass back on the table and looked over at Kristen.

"Me, either." Kristen replied.  "Talk about making a great first impression." She added dryly as she rolled her eyes.  She looked around the bar as she lifted the beer she'd ordered to her lips and took a drink.  Amie's "great place" to do Karaoke had turned out to be Sullivan's, a fantastic Irish pub downtown.  Kristen had never been there before but had immediately fallen in love with it.  This was her kind of place.  Comfortable and laid back and enough anonymity that she felt free to just be herself.  She didn't know anybody here and they didn't know her.   What did it matter if she got up on stage and made a fool of herself singing some ridiculous song?

"Who did you run into?"

The girls looked up as they were suddenly joined at their small table by a third person.

"Kris here ran into a local celebrity Thursday night." Amie supplied as Heidi--a mutual friend of both of the girls and Amie's roommate from college--slid into the booth across the table from them.  "Literally."

Heidi looked at Kristen in question, her dark eyes burning with curiosity.  "I ran into someone in the parking lot of the grocery store." Kristen explained.  "Turns out, the guy's famous." She shrugged.

"Turns out the guy's Chris Kirkpatrick!" Amie all but squealed. 

"Shh!" Kristen shushed her friend, her eyes traveling around the bar.  Luckily no one had paid Amie any mind. 

"Chris Kirkpatrick?" Heidi asked in sudden interest.  "From N SYNC?" She questioned.  Kristen nodded.  "You ran into Chris Kirkpatrick at the grocery store?" Heidi asked, her brows lifting in question.  Again Kristen nodded.  Heidi laughed.  "You have all the luck." She teased.

Kristen rolled her eyes again and sighed as she took another drink.  "Don't remind me." She grumbled--still embarrassed to think about the whole situation.  Sure, she'd gone to bed last night with a smile on her face--thinking about those incredible brown eyes and his adorable smile--but she was also extremely horrified over the fact that she had wrecked his car.  Who does that?! She questioned, though it really didn't come as much of a surprise to her that something like this had happened.  After all, she had felt from a young age that the fates were conspiring against her.  This was just one more situation to add to her growing pile of evidence to back up her theory. 

"I still say you should call him." Amie said as she reached for the plate of nachos the girls had ordered.

"Call him?" Heidi asked, her hand pausing midway to her mouth--a chip dangling in mid air.  "You got his number?" She asked, looking at Kristen in shock.

"Yeah." Kristen nodded.

"Girl!" Heidi tisked.  "Get your phone out right now and call the boy!" She commanded, her voice rising dramatically.

"Shh!" Kristen replied with a chuckle as a few of the other patrons this time turned to look at the three girls sitting in the corner. 

"Don't shush me!" Heidi replied.  "You've got that man's number and you haven't called him?  What's wrong with you?!"

"I ran into his car." Kristen stated.  "Remember?  Not really the best first impression to make on a guy, no matter who he is!"

"So?" Heidi replied with a shrug.  "May not be the best, but its lasting, that's for sure." She teased with a grin.  "He's not going to be able to look at the car without thinking about you." She said, pointing a chip at Kristen before placing it in her mouth and chewing.

"That's what I've been saying!" Amie jumped in.  "Call him, call him, call him..." she began chanting, Heidi soon joining in as well.

"Stop." Kristen insisted with a laugh.  "Stop!"

"Call him, call him--hey!" Amie said, as a waitress appeared, setting a glass down on the table in front of Heidi.  "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure." The woman smiled.  Kristen put her elbows on the table and buried her face in her hands in embarrassment.  I have not had enough to drink yet for this to be happening. She thought.

"If you were in a minor car accident," Amie said, talking to the waitress.  "And it turned out the guy you hit was a well known musician and you ended up getting his number..." Amie paused.  "What would you do?"

"Call him." The woman answered.

"Call him!" Amie and Heidi echoed in celebration as they both lifted their glasses--clinking them together before they each took a drink. 

Kristen laughed.  "You guys are ridiculous!" She exclaimed, taking another drink of her own beer.  "And I'm not nearly drunk enough yet to call him." She told them, voicing her earlier thought aloud. 

"Girl, you need to let go!" Heidi said with a shake of her head.  "Have some fun and do something crazy for once in your life."

"I do crazy stuff all the time." Kristen insisted as she reached for and ate some more of the nachos.  Heidi and Amie both gave her a disbelieving look.  "What?" She asked with a laugh.  "I'm crazy."

"Oh, we know you're crazy." Amie replied and Heidi giggled.  Kristen nudged Amie with her shoulder as she laughed.  "You haven't been the same since--" Amie stopped as Kristen gave her a pointed look. "Don't look at me like that." She insisted.  "This isn't Harry Potter, Kris." Amie continued.  "Kevin isn't Voldemort.  It's not going to kill you to say or hear his name spoken out loud."

Kristen couldn't help the chuckle that escaped at Amie's comparison between the fictional villain and her estranged husband.  "I just..." she sighed as she slumped back against the booth and looked down at the table.  "I don't want to think about him." She told her friends.  "It hurts to think about him."

"He's a jackass." Heidi stated authoritatively.  "Let him go, Kris.  Don't let him hold you back from living your life and moving on." There was silence between the girls for a few moments.  "So when are you going to call him?"

Kristen laughed.  "As soon as I'm drunk." She replied, lifting the bottle in her hand and taking another swig. 

"You don't want to be drunk when you call him." Amie stated.  "What if you say something stupid?"

"That's probably going to happen regardless of how much I've had to drink." Kristen teased, making fun of the fact that she always somehow managed to make a fool of her self-no matter who she was talking to.

"Well, that's true!" Amie replied with a wink.

"Gee, thanks, Ames." Kristen replied dryly.  Amie giggled as she leaned over, putting her arm around Kristen's shoulders in a hug.  "I just want to have fun tonight." Kristen said.  "I want to drink more than I should, eat stuff I shouldn't, and not think about any guy-jackass or celebrity."  The girls all raised their glasses to each other.

"And sing!" Amie insisted.  "You promised you'd get up and sing tonight." She reminded Kristen of the promised she'd made earlier that afternoon when they'd been firming up their plans for the evening.

"After another one of these." Kristen said, finishing off her beer.  She lifted the bottle, signaling to one of the waitresses standing by the bar to bring her another one. 

"So tell me about this concert you guys are putting together for the hospital." Heidi said.  Kristen and Amie looked at each other then began filling the other girl in on their ideas and plans.  They spent the next hour talking and laughing, killing time until the karaoke officially started--completely unaware when the subject of their earlier conversation entered the bar.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris pushed the sleeves of the long sleeved T-shirt he was wearing beneath his black and white plaid shirt--his eyes scanning the crowd at Sullivan's.  A few of the regulars saw him and greeted him with smiles and handshakes.  This was what he loved about living in Orlando.  He had been around the world and had once been chased--literally--by girls, but when he was home he was just Chris.  Orlando was full of great bars and clubs and he was a frequent visitor to many of them--not because he was a celebrity and they treated him as such, but because when he was there he was allowed to just be himself.

"You gonna get up and sing tonight, hot stuff?"

Chris smiled as Denise, one of the women who had been waitressing here as long as he'd been coming here asked him.  "You don't want to hear me sing." He said.  "I can't carry a tune in a bucket." He finished, making a face as if he had tasted something bad.

Denise laughed, pushing at his shoulder playfully as she picked up a tray of drinks.  "Didn't your Mama ever tell you, you'll go to hell for telling lies like that?" She asked.

"She did." Chris nodded.  "But that's not the reason I'll be going." He replied with a devious grin.

Denise shook her head as she laughed again.  "It's a good thing you're so damn cute." She told him. 

"You think I'm cute?" He asked in exaggerated excitement.

"Always have." Denise replied with a wink.

"Why have you been holding out on me?" He asked putting his arm around her shoulder.  He kissed her cheek.

"Because I'm old enough to be your mother." She replied with a chuckle. 

"I've always had a thing for older women." Chris told her in a conspiratorial whisper, his brows wiggling suggestively.

"Oh, you are a smooth one." Denise remarked with a smile and a shake of her head.  "But don't waste that smile on someone like me."  She told him, patting his cheek.  "There are more than a few girls closer to your age here tonight.  Use your charm on one of them."

Chris smiled as Denise walked away.  He turned back to the bar, ordered a beer then turned back around as the karaoke DJ got up on the small stage set up in the far corner and greeted the small crowd that had gathered.  Chris leaned back against the bar, occasionally lifting the glass in his hand to his lips as he watched and cheered on--along with the rest of the bar--those brave enough to get up.  He grimaced as one guy got up and began to completely butcher Michael Jackson's Billy Jean.  Chris turned back to face the bar, praying for the song to end but, that was the risk with karaoke.  Most of the people who got up couldn't sing to save their lives and for a professional musician it was torture-plain and simple-having to listen to them. 

"Thank, God." He muttered as the song finally ended.  He tipped his head back as he downed the rest of his drink.  He signaled to the bartender for a refill, wondering what the next song would be.  Another bad singer and he was prepared to get up there and show them how it was done.  He perked up when he hear the starting measures of the next song and looked over his shoulder.  His brows rising in surprise.

If I could escape I would but,
First of all, let me say
I must apologize for acting stank & treating you this way
Cause I've been acting like sour milk all on the floor
It's your fault you didn't shut the refrigerator
Maybe that's the reason I've been acting so cold?

If I could escape and recreate a place that's my own world
And I could be your favorite girl (forever), Perfectly together
Tell me boy now wouldn't that be sweet? (sweet escape)
If I could be sweet, I know I've been a real bad girl (I'll try to change)
I didn't mean for you to get hurt (whatsoever)
We can make it better, Tell me boy wouldn't that be sweet? (sweet escape)

Turning fully, Chris watched-his lips twitching upwards slightly as he watched the woman up on the stage.  He'd always had a crush on Gwen Stafani, he'd made no secret of that fact over the years.  However, as he stood there watching the girl up on stage--listening to her clear voice-he was suddenly having a hard time remembering what Gwen looked like. 

Kristen looked great!

She had pulled most of her hair back from her face-the rest of it falling down her back.  The simple black tank top and jeans she was wearing were nothing special but, for some reason, they looked fantastic on her.  Chris found he had to swallow back the sudden excess moisture in his mouth as he watched her hips sway seductively as she moved up on stage--singing her heart out and having fun.  He was reminded once again of the first time he'd seen her, singing in her car, and he felt his smile widening.  The crowd was getting into her performance and Chris found himself moving to the beat as she continued singing.  She had a great voice and excellent stage presence but what really impressed him was the fact that she wasn't looking at either of the monitors for the words. 

She knew the song word for word.

Beer and pizza are her comfort foods and she knows Gwen Stafani by heart? Chris mused.  Where have you been all my life? He chuckled to himself as he lifted his glass to his lips and took a drink--his eyes riveted on her. 

You held me down, I'm at my lowest boiling point
Come help me out, I need to get me out of this joint
Come on let's bounce, counting on you to turn me around
Instead of clowning around, let's look for some common ground
So baby, times get a little crazy
I've been gettin' a little lazy, waitin' on you to come save me
I can see that you're angry by the way that you treat me
Hopefully you don't leave me, wanna take you with me

If I could escape & recreate a place that's my own world
And I could be your favorite girl (forever), Perfectly together
And tell me boy now wouldn't that be sweet? (sweet escape)
If I could be sweet (sorry boy)
I know I've been a real bad girl (I'll try to change)
I didn't mean for you to get hurt (whatsoever)
We can make it better
& tell me boy now wouldn't that be sweet? (sweet escape)

Everyone clapped as Kristen finished and Chris watched as she bounced off the stage--a huge smile on her face-and slid into a corner booth.  He stood, transfixed for a moment longer--trying to figure out what exactly was going on.  He couldn't remember the last time a girl had captured his attention so completely in so short a time.  For all intents and purposes he didn't know Kristen anymore than he knew half the people in this bar.  He'd only spent about twenty minutes in her presence but for the last two days he hadn't been able to stop thinking about her. 

Quickly, before he could talk himself out of it, Chris signaled to one of the waitresses closest to him and turned back towards the bar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That was fantastic!" Amie squealed as Kristen slid back into the booth beside her.  She threw her arms around Kristen.  "Did you see how everyone was getting into it while you were up there?" She asked.

"Yeah, that was awesome." Kristen laughed as she pushed back a few errant curls that had escaped her clip as she had been up singing and dancing.

"Girl, you could be recording albums, I swear." Heidi supplied as she took a drink of her beer. 

Kristen rolled her eyes at her friends' gushing.  She chuckled.  "You guys are drunk." She replied.  "Everyone sounds good to you right now."

"That may be true." Amie said pointing at Kristen.  "About being drunk." She giggled.  "But you sound great all the time, Kris."

Kristen smiled.  "Thanks, Ames." The girls continued watching and listening-along with commenting and laughing-at the people who got up to sing after Kristen.  The girl that had been their waitress all night appeared suddenly, sliding another bottle in front of Kristen.  "Oh, no," Kristen shook her head.  "I didn't--"

"It's from the guy at the bar." The girl said with a smile then left.  Amie and Heidi both immediately sat up and turned to look behind them at the bar.  Both girls quickly turned back to Kristen, excited giggles coming from both of them.

"Is he good or bad?" Kristen asked, afraid to hear their answer.  She grimaced.  She'd had a few guys in the past buy her drinks after she'd gotten up to sing.  More often than not they were the ones she wasn't attracted to and she felt bad accepting the drinks--giving the guys any kind of false hope. 

"Good." Amie and Heidi exclaimed at the same time-both girls nodding their heads excitedly.   They both looked at each other. 

Kristen narrowed her eyes as she saw a look pass between her two friends.  "Wha--" she glanced over her shoulder, a gasp escaping her lips as he lifted his glass and smiled towards her.  "Oh my gosh!" She exclaimed as she quickly turned back to the table.  Her heart beating out of her chest.  She rung her hands, her chest rising and falling rapidly as her breath came in shallow gasps.  "What do I do?"  She asked.  "What do I do?!" 

"Go talk to him!" Amie exclaimed, pushing her out of the booth.  "Go, go, go."

"Amie!" Kristen replied, trying to keep from being moved.  "Amie, I can't...Amie, stop..."  Kristen grabbed on to the edge of the table, but Amie was surprisingly strong and Kristen soon found herself with no option but to stand.  It was either that or find herself sitting on the floor.  She pulled at the hem of her tank top, tugging it over her hips, and gave Amie a death glare. 

"Go."  Amie said, shooing Kristen with both hands.  "Go."

Kristen looked over at Heidi, but she was no help.  She did the same thing.  Amie held out the bottle the waitress had brought over.  Kristen looked at her friends for a second longer.  "I hate you both." She whispered.  Amie and Heidi just grinned at her. 

Finally,wWith a sigh, Kristen took the bottle, squared her shoulders, and turned to face him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris straightened as Kristen began walking towards him and couldn't help the grin that slowly spread across his face.  He had chuckled to himself as he'd watched first her friends and then her turn around and look at him after his offering had been delivered. 

"Hi." She said, smiling hesitantly as she came to stand in front of him.

"Hi." He grinned. He looked over her shoulder and could see the two girls she had been sitting with watching them closely--excited smiles on both of their faces.  His eyes turned back to the woman in front of him and they stayed focused on Kristen.  "You didn't call." He stated.  "I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever see you again."  She blinked up at him, clearly caught off guard by his teasing and he chuckled as he took a drink from the glass in his hand. 

"I..." she hesitated.  "I wasn't sure you ever wanted to see me again." She replied.  "After the way I plowed in to you the other day."

"I gave you my number, didn't I?" He asked, watching as a smile slowly spread across her face. 

"Only after I gave you mine." She replied as she lifted the bottle in her hand.  Chris watched as she pressed it to her lips and took a quick swallow.  "You could have called me." She told him, looking up at him through her lashes--smiling coyly. 

"Touche." He acknowledged, clinking his glass against her bottle.  "You were great up there." He told her, nodding his head towards the stage. 

"You saw that?" She asked, her smile faltering slightly.  He watched as her cheeks warmed slightly.  Her eyes dropped as she looked down at the floor.  "Another great impression." She muttered under her breath. 

"What was that?" He asked though he had heard what she'd said. 

Kristen looked back up at him-rolling her eyes as she sighed.  "Nothing.  I just..." she shrugged.  "Can't catch a break, is all." She said.  "I swear I'm not really this messed up.  I don't usually get in car accidents and make a fool of myself singing karaoke."

"Why not?" He asked as he watched her closely, trying to figure her out. 

"Why not, what?" She asked, looking at him in confusion.

"Why don't you usually make a fool of yourself singing karaoke?" He clarified.  "It looked like you were having fun up there."

"I was." She agreed, her smile coming back.  "But it's not really something...I'm kind of too old to be up there doing stuff like that."

"You're never too old to have fun." He replied.  "Take it from me." He grinned, leaning towards her as if to impart some secret pearl of wisdom.  "Life's too short to not have fun."

She nodded.  "So..." she drawled as she stepped around him and sat down on the bar stool beside him.  Chris turned slightly, leaning his side against the bar as he watched her.  She placed her beer on the bar then turned to look at him.  "Do you come here often?" She asked a teasing sparkle in her brown eyes. 

Chris laughed. 

"Not as much as I used to." He said.  "But if there's a chance of possibly running into you again, I'll be here every night." 

Kristen laughed.  "Do you always flirt this shamelessly?" She asked.  "I thought Joey was supposed to be the playboy of the group."

"He was." Chris nodded.  "Till he decided to have a kid and get married."

"Ah." Kristen nodded as she took another drink from the bottle in front of her.  He watched, mesmerized as the muscles in her neck worked while she swallowed.  "And you decided to pick up the torch?"

"It was the least I could do." He replied with a causal shrug, his eyes meeting hers once more.  She laughed again and he decided he liked the sound of her laugh. 

"Are you going to get up there and give it a whirl?" She asked, looking over her shoulder at the karaoke stage. 

"Nah." He shook his head.  "Don't want to give anyone an inferiority complex."  He stated.

"That's very kind of you." Kristen chuckled.

"What can I say," he shrugged, a grin spreading across his face.  "I'm good like that." She smiled then turned to look at the bottle sitting in front of her.  His eyes roamed over her profile and Chris found himself wanting to reach out and touch her hair--to see if it was a soft as it appeared to be.  Instead he turned, placing both hands against the bar as he leaned against it and cleared his throat. 

"Did you call the insurance company yet?" She asked.

"No." He shook his head.

"Why not?" She questioned.  He turned to look at her, their eyes meeting. 

"I'm still trying to decide if I want to get the car fixed or just trade it in and getting something new." He told her.  "Have you, uhm..." He paused, surprised at the thought running through his head.  Figuring, what the hell, he continued.  "Have you eaten yet?" He asked.  He watched as her brows furrowed slightly as she looked at him in question then shook her head.

"I mean, I ate something before we came tonight, but..." she looked down at her watch.  "That was four hours ago."

"Do you want to go get something to eat?" He asked.  "I'm starving." He stated as he pushed away from the bar.  "I know this is kind of out of the blue, but...do you want to go with me to get something to eat?" He asked again, hating the fact that he sounded like a broken record.

"Yes." She nodded. 

"Great." Chris replied, smiling.  "But, I'm driving, okay?" He winked at her and she laughed.

"Okay." She nodded again.  "Give me a second." She said, getting off the bar stool and standing.  "I'll be right back."

He watched as she walked back to the table she had been sitting at.  One of the girls handed her her purse then with what he assumed was a whispered promise to fill them both in on what transpired between them for the rest of the evening, Kristen turned and began walking back towards him.  He smiled as she stood in front of him again then turned and held out his arm, indicating she should proceed in front of him.  His eyes fell to the back pockets of her jeans as she began walking towards the door and he could help but admire the way the material hugged her just right.  He wanted to reach out and touch her.  Instead, he reached out for the door, holding it open for her and she smiled as their eyes met.  She was certainly beautiful, this Kristen he found himself intrigued with, and he suddenly found himself excited about the prospect of spending the next little while in her company. 

He hoped this evening would work to help in getting her out of his system.  Surely, once he got to know the girl some of the mystery and intrigue that surrounded her would wear off and he could get on with his life--move past her.  As they walked out to his car, though, and he helped her up into the cab of his Escalade, Chris couldn't help noticing how her hand seemed to fit perfectly in his.  Their eyes met and he wondered if he would be able to move past her. 

Something whispered no and suddenly he was scared.    

End Notes:

song credit: "Sweet Escape" by Gwen Stefani

tell me what you think, I want to know :)

Chapter 5 by azchickadee

"No way!" Kristen shook her head as she quickly swallowed the bite she'd taken.  She looked across the table at Chris--ready for a fight.  "The Bears are amazing!" She insisted, arguing his statement regarding how his favorite NFL team was the best there was.  She couldn't remember how they'd gotten on the subject of sports teams but now that they were she hoped he was ready for a fight.  She wasn't going to back down from this one. "Do I need to remind you of all the times my Bears have beaten your Steelers' butts?"

"They haven't-"

"Ah." Kristen held up her hand, cutting him off.

"You can't-"

"Ah." She cut him off again with a shake of her head.

Chris narrowed his eyes as he glared at her.  "Shut up and eat your waffle." He grumbled good-naturedly, pointing at her plate.

"No defense?" Kristen asked with a giggle.  "It's okay." She consoled as she speared another bite and lifted the fork to her mouth.  "We all make mistakes.  There's still time to choose the right side to cheer for."

"Listen," Chris replied, setting his fork down.  Kristen couldn't help laughing--delighted over the fact that she had gotten him so rattled over this subject.  He pointed his finger at her as he leaned across the table.  He opened his mouth as if to say something and she waited expectantly for his rebuttal.  She was slightly disappointed, however, when he seemed to change his mind.  He shut his mouth, pulled back from her and picked up his fork once more.  "Let's just...agree to disagree on this." He said.

Kristen smiled.  For as long as she could remember she had been cheering for Chicago-the Bears, the Bulls, the Blackhawks, the White Sox...Her father had begun indoctrinating her in the world of sports from almost the moment she'd been born and she'd been hooked.  That early education had led Kristen to play volleyball, softball and basketball all through junior high and high school and to watch and cheer her beloved players on in almost every single game.  Some of her favorite memories were of watching football on Saturdays with her dad and she suddenly missed him.

"Why are you such a fan of Chicago?" Chris asked.  "Is that where you're from?"

"No." Kristen shook her head.  "I've lived here in Orlando my whole life." She told him, continuing to eat the plate of breakfast food she'd ordered.  After leaving the bar, Chris had driven her a few blocks away, pulling into the parking lot of IHOP.  She'd been surprised-assuming that because of who he was he was going to take her somewhere a little more upscale--but, as she sat there across the table from him, she could see that beneath all of his fame and money he was just a regular guy.  She admired the fact that he wasn't embarrassed about eating in a pancake house.  The restaurant had been mostly deserted when they'd arrived because of the late hour--except for a group of teenagers in the far corner--and it was still empty, allowing them to talk and laugh and not worry about disturbing the other patrons.  After being seated Chris had promptly ordered a cheeseburger, fries and a chocolate shake, and Kristen hadn't been able to resist ordering her favorite--waffles.  With lots of butter, syrup and powdered sugar.

"My dad was originally from Chicago." She supplied as she cut another bite and put it in her mouth.  Moaning softly.  It had been a while since she'd allowed herself to indulge like this and she was making sure to enjoy it fully.

"Ah." Chris nodded.  "That explains it, then.  Are you an only child?" He asked, voicing the question most people did when they found out about Kristen's love of sports.  They assumed she had been the unwilling recipient of her father's love of sports because she had no brothers.

"Actually, no." She replied with a shake of her head.  "I have three brothers."

"Mmm..." he hummed as he pulled his glass towards him and took a sip of his shake.  "We have something else in common."  He mused.  Kristen furrowed her brows as she looked at him in question. 

"Something else?" She asked.

He nodded.  "We're both outnumbered in our families." He replied.  "You have three brothers and I have four sisters.  Are they older or younger?"

"Older." Kristen answered.  "What are the other things?" She asked.

"Other things?" Chris questioned, his brown eyes watching her closely.  Kristen almost forgot what it was she had been asking as he looked at her.  He dangerously attractive and she couldn't help just wanting to sit there and stare at him.  She had been surprised when he'd asked her if she wanted to leave the bar to go get something to eat, and shocked at how quickly she had agreed-the words leaving her mouth before she could stop them.  She wondered if he had any idea how incredible his eyes were.  "You said we had something else in common." She told him, forcing her thoughts away from him and tearing her eyes from his.  "What are the other things?  I'm curious how you know we have anything in common as this is the first time we've ever really talked." She smiled.

"Well, we both like sports." He stated.  "Although, I'm not sure I can over look the fact that you're a Chicago fan..." He drawled and pursed his lips as if deep in thought.  "That may be a relationship breaker right there." He said, his eyes sparkling mischievously.  Kristen couldn't help the smile that spread across her face or the way her heart flipped slightly at his using the word ‘relationship' in reference to whatever this was, starting between them.  And there was definitely something starting.  She could feel it and she hoped he could too.  "Mmm...come back from the dark side, you should." He nodded once again pulling her from her thoughts, trying to convince her. 

Kristen laughed.  "Nice try, Yoda." She replied, taking another bite.  "Is that it?" She asked.  "Sports?"

"No." He shook his head.  He looked at her for a moment and Kristen wished she could read his thoughts.  She could almost see the wheels turning in his head as he looked at her and she desperately wanted to know what he was thinking.  "You knew that song you sang tonight by heart which leads me to believe you've listened to it more than once so I'm assuming you're a fan, like I am, of Gwen."

"You know what happens when you assume, right?" Kristen asked with a grin.

"Oh, I'm well aware of the affects of assuming." He nodded.  "But I don't think that applies to this situation."

"Hmmm..." she mused, their eyes meeting again.  She nodded.  "I'm a fan.  I have all her albums.  Nice deduction, Sherlock."

"Elementary, my dear Watson." He quipped with a smile.  "What else do you listen to?"

"Pretty much everything." She answered.  "My friends refer to me as the music whore of the group." She admitted and Chris laughed.  "I listen to just about any and everything and spend way too much on CD's and downloads.  It's an addiction.  I always have to have music playing--at home, in the car, at the gym, sitting at my desk at work..." she trailed off.  "It's kind of disgusting really, but I love it.  So there you go.  Sports and music--that's pretty much all you need to know about me." She smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~           

Christ sat, looking at Kristen in amazement.  The more he learned about her, the more he liked her.  "If you say you have a dog I may be in love." He said, only halfway teasing.  If she did say she had a dog he knew he was going to be in trouble.  This girl was like a gift from the gods or something.  She was beautiful, funny, loved sports and music and wasn't afraid to eat in front of him.  He was tempted to accuse her of putting on an act in order to gain his approval because of who he was, but something about her led him to believe she was being completely honest with him.  Chris had met and been with numerous girls over the years who had tried to convince him that the things that had been published as his favorite things were their favorite things as well.  He had learned, as a result, to recognize those who were just trying to get into his pants.  It was hard to fake the kind of enthusiasm Kristen had shown about something you truly didn't like.   Besides, he thought.  If she was really just trying to win me over she would have said she was a fan of the Steelers, not the Bears. 

"I don't have a dog." She shook her head, pulling him from his thoughts.  "Yet." She grinned and he felt the same zing go through him that he'd been feeling all night each time she smiled at him.  "My hus--" she stopped herself and cleared her throat.  He looked at her in question-curious as to why she'd stopped herself so suddenly from saying whatever it was she had been about to say.  "I wasn't able to have one in my last place." She said.  "But, now that I've moved," she smiled.  "I'm looking at getting one.  The two German Shepards we had when I was in high school died a few years ago and I want to get another one."

"German Shepards?" He asked, impressed.  He had assumed she would want a smaller dog like a lot of girls preferred.  He was quickly learning he couldn't assume anything about this girl.

"Mmm-hmm." She nodded as she took a sip of her orange juice.  "Felony and Misdemeanor."

Chris laughed as she told him the dogs' names.  "Those are the best names I've ever heard!" He exclaimed. 

Kristen smiled.  "My dad was cop." She told him in explanation.  "My brothers and I thought it was only appropriate."

"Your dad's a cop?" He asked. 

"Was." She nodded.  He looked at her in question and she smiled sadly.  "He died last year." She told him and he felt horrible for unknowingly bringing up such a touchy subject.

"I'm...so sorry." He said in condolence.

"Thanks." She smiled.

"What did he die from?" He asked.

"Cancer." She told him.  He watched as she looked down at the table, her index finger absent-mindedly running around the rim of her glass.

An awkward silence descended between them and Chris fought for something to say that would lighten the mood and get them back to the playful banter they'd had going on earlier. "So..." he began and she looked up at him.  "You...you have three older brothers?" He questioned.  She nodded.

"Jack, Ryan, and Lance."

"You have a brother named Lance?" He questioned with a giggle.

"Yep." She nodded with a smile.  "He's actually the one I'm closest to."

"That's cool." He nodded.   "But you do realize that this isn't looking too good for me here, right?" He grimaced--suddenly feeling nervous about spending any time with this woman.  Three older brothers?  Once wrong move and his life would be over.  Kristen chuckled as she pushed away her plate.  She wiped her mouth with her napkin then looked at him. 

"They're all a bunch of softies." She told him.  "You don't have anything to worry about."

"Right." He drawled, not convinced in the slightest.  "So, what is it that you do?" He asked, curious to find out more about her.

"I work for the Children's Hospital." She said, picking up her glass.

"Are you a nurse?" He asked.  She shook her head as she took a drink.  "A doctor?" He questioned though she looked too young to be a doctor.  Maybe she's an intern? He thought.  Or a resident.  Which comes first? He questioned, trying to think back on the few episodes of ER and Grey's Anatomy he'd seen.

"Public Relations." She told him.  "And fundraising."

Chris made a noise of interest.  The conversation he'd had with Joey a few days ago suddenly came back to mind.  "Are you the one putting together that benefit concert I heard about?" He asked.

"Trying to." She nodded.  "But so far..." she shook her head.  "We're not really having a lot of luck contacting or getting people to commit to it.  We've only been working on it for about a week, though." She smiled.  "I'm sure it'll all come together in the end.  I hope." She chuckled.  "Running into you was actually all part of my plan to get you to sign up and agree to help with it."

"I knew it!" Chris exclaimed, slapping his hand on the table.  "You looked like you were up to something." He winked at her.  She laughed. 

"So tell me about you." She said.  Chris watched as she put her elbows on the table--resting her chin atop her linked fingers.

"What about me?" He asked. He didn't really want to talk about himself.  He felt like he'd been doing nothing but talk about himself for the last fifteen years and in his opinion, he really wasn't all that interesting of a person.

"What are you doing now that N SYNC is officially done?" Kristen asked.

"Sleeping." He answered honestly and she chuckled.  "Touring's a bitch." He told her.  "Especially since I'm not a kid anymore."

"It's got to be boring, though, isn't it?" She asked.  "Being home again after being constantly on the go like that for so long?"

"At times." He admitted with a nod.  "But, I try not to be home long enough to be bored."

"So what do you do?" She questioned.

"Hang out in karaoke bars and take beautiful women out for waffles at eleven o'clock at night." He replied with a grin.

Kristen laughed.  "Seriously." She said.

He chuckled.  "Uhm..." He rubbed the back of his neck, his left knee bouncing with nervous energy.  Though, what he was nervous about he didn't know... "I'm actually working with a couple friends of mine in putting together another group."

"Really?" She asked, her brows lifting in interest.  He nodded.  "Another boyband?" She asked with a smile and a teasing sparkle in her beautiful brown eyes. 

Chris rolled his eyes.  "No." He replied.  "That stage of my life is over."

"Oh." Kristen pouted slightly and he felt a sting of lust go through him--his eyes fixated on that plump bottom lip of hers.  He suddenly wondered what it would taste and feel like between his own.  Cool it.  He told himself.  He cleared his throat and shifted a bit uncomfortably as he looked down at the table, averting his eyes from her.

"So is this friend of yours a girl?" She asked.

"What?" He asked, looking up at her in question.  Completely taken back by her question.  "No.  Why..."

"Well, you said you weren't doing another boyband, so I just assumed that this friend of yours that you're working with must be a girl."

Chris grinned.  "You know what happens when you assume, right?" He asked, folding his arms and leaning them against the table--throwing her earlier question back at her.  Kristen pursed her lips together as she glared at him and Chris's smile grew as he saw a bit of pink tinge her cheeks. 

Finally she rolled her eyes and smiled back at him.  "So it is another boyband?" She asked with a chuckle.

"Well..." he drawled.  "I guess...I guess that depends on your definition of what a boyband is." He replied. 

"Two or more guys up on stage together." Kristen answered.

Chris thought about it for a moment then nodded.  "Then, I guess by that definition, it's a boyband." Kristen grinned.  "But!" He continued quickly.  "Not really.  We're not going to be dancing in synchronization while we're singing."

"Oh, okay." She giggled.  "So what is it?  Really?"

"It's kind of..." he trailed off, not really sure how to describe the sound of the songs he and Mike were working on.  "Sort of rock, sort of alternative...hell...I don't know what it is." He laughed.  "But it's good."

"I bet it is." She smiled.  "Can I tell you a secret?" She asked.  Chris nodded as he looked at her, curious to hear what she was going to say.  "I always thought you had the best voice of the group."

He laughed.  "Are you drunk?" He asked. 

"No." She insisted with a laugh of her own.

"I think you're drunk." He nodded.  "That last beer I bought for you must be finally kicking in." He looked down at his watch--intent on teasing her about how long it took her to get drunk, but was surprised to see how much time had actually elapsed since they'd left the bar.  He looked back up at Kristen.  Had they really been sitting here talking for almost two hours? 

"I'm serious." She told him with a chuckle.  "I always thought it was a shame that you were only featured on a few of the songs you guys did.  Your voice is amazing.  I hope you're not just singing backup again with this new group."

"No." He shook his head.  "I'm actually singing lead."

"Really?" She asked in excitement.  "When do you think you'll be releasing something?"

He shrugged.  "We're just really getting started.  Could be months.  Could be years."

"Well," she said, lifting her glass.  "Here's hoping it months instead of years." She smiled and clinked her glass against his as he lifted his own then downed the rest of her orange juice. 

Chris worked on his chocolate shake, his eyes never leaving Kristen's face.  Silence descended between them again but it wasn't awkward this time and he couldn't help thinking that it had been a long time since he'd completely lost track of the time while talking to a girl.  He was usually too busy moving around from one pretty face to another to ever really stop and talk to any of them.  He wasn't sure what had made him stop and take notice of this particular girl, but he was glad about whatever it was.  "Are you ready to go?" He asked.  She nodded and he wondered if he had just imagined the hint of disappointment in her eyes.  He watched as she reached for her purse sitting beside her and pulled out her cell phone.  "Who are you calling?" He asked though he really had no right to question her like that.  It wasn't any of his business who she felt like calling in the middle of the night.

"I'm going to call for a cab." She told him.

"A cab?" He asked.  "Why are you going to call for a cab?  I'm going to take you back to Sullivan's so you can get your car." He told her.  "I'm not going to just leave you here." He chuckled.

"I didn't drive to the bar tonight." She told him.  "I went with Amie, so you taking me back there really isn't going to solve anything." She teased. 

"Then I'm going to take you home." He stated as he slid out of the booth they had been sitting in and stood at the end of the table.  "Come on." He said holding his hand out to her.  Kristen looked at him for a moment, then at his hand, and then back up at his face.

"You don't have to--" She began but he cut her off by reaching over and grabbing her hand.  He tugged gently on her arm.

"I told you." He said, as she finally stood in front of him.  "I'm not going to just leave you here.  I'm not that kind of guy." Again there was silence between them, only this time it was charged with something that made his mouth suddenly go dry and his palms begin to sweat a little.  Kristen stood looking up at him and he watched as something sparked to life in her brown eyes.  Her tongue darted out to lick her bottom lip and Chris had to forcefully bite back the groan that wanted to escape at her teasing.  Why did girls always do that?  Didn't they know that was one of the moves that brought all guys to their knees?  It was always done so innocently but he had often wondered if it was really innocent at all.  He was convinced there must be some secret book on teasing that girls were given once they hit a certain age that let them in on all the secret little ways to drive guys crazy. 

"What kind of a guy are you?" She asked, moving towards him slightly as she closed what little space remained between them.  Her fingers moved to twine with his on the hand he was still holding and he was again caught off guard at the perfect way their hands fit. 

"I..." he cleared his throat as he looked down at the entwined fingers then back up at her beautiful face.  "I-I..." he stammered, unable to form a complete sentence as she stood there looking at him like that.  He lifted his other hand, intent on touching her face-needing, suddenly, to find out if her skin was as soft as it looked--knowing that if he leaned forward just a few short inches he could taste that mouth of hers that had been teasing him all night. 

A loud crash came from the kitchen behind them as a tray of dishes was dropped and Chris jumped back, dropping his arm and releasing the hand of hers that he held.  "I'm the kind of guy who doesn't make a girl take a cab home." He told her as he grabbed the receipt their waitress had lain on the table earlier--thankful for the interruption that had prevented him from making a huge mistake just now.  He began walking towards the registers, not bothering to make sure that Kristen was following him.  He knew she was.  He could feel her behind him though he was too scared to turn around and look at her--afraid to see the reaction to what had almost just happened between them in her eyes.  What kind of guy was he? He mused, shaking his head slightly in disgust as he paid for their food.  The kind of guy who almost just took advantage of you in the middle of IHOP.  That's what kind of guy I am.  He thought.  He took a deep breath as he shoved his wallet back into the back pocket of his jeans, finally turning to look at the woman standing behind him.  She watched him with guarded eyes and he mentally kicked himself for ruining the good time they'd been having.  He walked towards the front door and held it open for her.  She stood for a second before finally walking past him. 

Chris followed a few steps behind Kristen as they made their way towards his car.  He unlocked the vehicle as they got closer and followed Kristen to the passenger side-intent on helping her in.  However, she yanked open the door and climbed into the Escalade before he could open the door for her.  She shut the door and he stood for a moment, unsure of what to do.  He had the distinct impression that she was mad at him, which confused him.  He walked around the truck and opened the driver's side door.  She should be glad I didn't follow through with what I wanted to do to her in there.  He thought.  Why the hell is she mad at me?  He looked over at her but she sat in rigid silence, refusing to look at him.  With a sigh he inserted the key into the ignition and started the car.  He was almost forty and he wondered if he would ever understand women and all the shit they put men through.  Did they have any idea how maddening they were at times or how confusing? 

"Where do you live?" He asked, finally breaking the stony silence between them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oak Ridge." Kristen told him.  She watched out of the corner of her eye as Chris nodded then put the truck into reverse.  He put his right hand up on the side of her chair as he looked over his shoulder while he was backing up.  He shifted the car into drive and left the parking lot.  As they waited for a break in traffic, she could feel his eyes on her and her heart skipped in her chest--wondering what he was thinking about her brazen and forward behavior earlier in the restaurant. 

"What kind of guy are you?"  She was embarrassed at her poor attempt at flirting with him.  She wanted to just crawl into a hole and disappear.  He had looked uncomfortable as she'd been standing there, trying to come on to him.  He had stammered, trying--she knew--to find a way to tell her he didn't want to kiss her.  Kristen could feel her cheeks blazing in humiliation and was grateful the interior of the car was dark.  It had been a while since she had felt the desire to flirt with anyone and it was painfully obvious she had no idea what she was doing.  Instead of catching his interest she'd just managed in making an even bigger fool of herself in front of him. Congratulations.  She told herself with a roll of her eyes.   

As they continued driving in silence Kristen finally braved looking over at her companion.  Her eyes roamed over his profile and she couldn't help the smile that came to her face as she recalled their easy and comfortable conversation from earlier.  She had forgotten what it felt like to be with a guy who was actually interested in what she had to say--not someone who made you feel like he was only with you out of obligation.  She had forgotten what it felt like to laugh, tease and be teased, and completely lose track of the time because you were enjoying the company and conversation so much.  She had forgotten what it felt like to have someone look at you with interest and desire sparkling in their eyes. 

Kristen's brow furrowed and she turned away from Chris in confusion.  The looks he had been giving her while they had been talking and eating had led her to believe he was more than interested in her.  But why did he pull away so quickly and look so relieved when those dishes were dropped?  She wondered.  She suddenly felt like she was back in high school and she hated it.  She hated the fact that she was being thrown back into the dating pool.  She hated the fact that she was just as confused about guys and their behaviors as she'd ever been.  As they neared her apartment complex, Kristen gave Chris the directions he needed.  He finally pulled into the parking lot in front of her building and pulled into an empty space.  She reached for the door handle as she turned to look at him.  Her heart skipped and her stomach did a somersault as she found him looking at her.  It was dark and hard to make out his features, but she could feel the intensity of his gaze on her. 

"Th-thank you." She stammered.  She swallowed.  "I...I had fun."  He said nothing and she sat for another moment then turned slightly and opened the door.  She got out and was surprised when he turned the truck off and got out himself.  "You don't--" she began but he cut her off.

"I've come this far with you.  I can walk you to your door."  He smiled.  "I want to make sure you get in safely."

Kristen smiled then with a nod turned and began walking towards the building.  She could feel him behind her as she began climbing the stairs that would take her to her second story apartment and tried to breath evenly though her heart was suddenly jumping around in her chest.  "This is me." She said, as they stopped outside her door.  She looked over her shoulder at him as she dug in her purse for her keys.  Finally finding them, she inserted them into the lock and opened her door.  Turning she looked up at Chris--quickly becoming lost once more in his eyes.  He stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked down at the ground--scuffing the toe of his shoe against the concrete.  Kristen looked at him for a moment then took a step towards him.  Placing one hand on his shoulder she pressed her lips against his cheek.  Chris lifted his head sharply at the contact and she pulled back as he looked at her-his eyes suddenly blazing.  "I-I'm sorry." She stammered.  "I don't--"   

She wasn't allowed to finish her apology. 

Removing them from his pockets, Chris placed his warm hands against her face as he suddenly captured her lips with his own.  Kristen's breath caught in her throat and she felt certain she was going to pass out.  He pulled back as quickly as he had kissed her and her eyes popped open to look at him in shock.  She swallowed hard.  She knew there were a million reasons why this was wrong-why she needed to just turn around and walk into her apartment alone--but she couldn't think of a single one at the moment.  The only thing she could think of was the way his lips had felt against her for that brief moment, how his hands were gently cradling her face, how his body felt pressed against hers...she bit her bottom lip to keep from groaning and closed her eyes.  Chris titled her face up towards his and Kristen's heart all but stopped as his soft but firm lips pressed against hers once again.  She wound her arms around his neck as the exchange began to heat up.  She took a few steps backwards, blindly guiding him into her apartment.  She wasn't sure exactly where this was all headed, but she was going to hang on and enjoy the ride.    

End Notes:
don't kill me for the cliff-hanger...
Chapter 6 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
hope everyone had a Happy New Year's!  Here's to an awesome 2010 :)
Silence.

It was a sharp contrast to the sounds that had filled the room he was in a short time ago.  Chris sat, leaning back against the headboard--chewing on his right thumbnail.  It was a bad habit of his--something he'd done for as long as he could remember.  Most of the time he didn't realize he was even doing it.  It helped him think, or helped take his mind off what was bothering him.  Problem was he couldn't decide what he wanted to do right now. 

Think? 

Or forget?

His eyes ran over Kristen's sleeping form as several different thoughts and emotions battled for supremacy in his head and heart.  Thinking it is.  Chris thought with a heavy sigh. 

She had innocently kissed his cheek as they had stood outside her apartment earlier and what had followed had been one of the hottest hookups he'd ever had.  He cringed when his mind used that word to describe what had just happened.  Hookup?  He had a hard time believing that was all this had been.

When his lips had touched hers for the first time, Chris had known immediately that he was in trouble.  Getting this girl off his mind and out of his system like he had hoped, was going to take a lot more than he had naively thought it would.  Any other girl and he would be able to get up and walk out right now without looking back.  But Kristen...Kristen was different. 

He could feel it.

Chris blew out a breath as he laid his head back against the wall.  He scrubbed his hands over his face.  What have you gotten yourself into?  He thought.  Kristen shifted beside him on the bed and he looked down at her.  Her full, perfect lips--those lips that had tasted just as sweet as he had thought they would taste, and felt like heaven between his own--parted slightly, a soft sigh escaping her.  He had to forcefully restrain himself from reaching over and touching her.  All he wanted to do was caress her cheek--to feel her skin against his and convince himself that she was real; that what had just happened was real. Instead he folded his arms tightly across his chest.

What is it about you?  He silently asked her as he sat, watching her sleep.  Why are you so special?  He'd met girls in the past that he had things in common with--girls he had a good time with and enjoyed kissing-but none of them had thrown him for a loop like she had.  What made her so special?  Why was he suddenly finding himself in a tangle of confusing thoughts and emotions?  What gave her the power to affect him like this?

Finally, feeling overwhelmed and not really wanting to examine his feelings any closer at the moment, Chris turned.  Being careful to move the bed as little as possible he stood.  He didn't want to wake Kristen.  He didn't want to face her until he could figure out what he was thinking about all of this.  Picking up his discarded clothes from her floor he dressed as quickly and quietly as possible.  Slipping on his shoes he looked at Kristen for a moment then turned and left the room.  Quietly opening and closing her apartment door--making sure to lock it as he left--Chris stood for a moment outside, taking a few deep breaths of the chilly night air.  Then, squaring his shoulders he made his way down the stairs and towards his truck.  As he got in and slid behind the wheel of the Escalade his eyes looked up at her window.  After a few more silent moments, Chris started the SUV, threw it into reverse, and then left her apartment complex.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen sat, absent-mindedly running her finger around the rim of her glass Wednesday morning--only half listening to Kyle and Mark as they droned on about the celebrity baseball game they were having so much success in putting together.  She hadn't been able to focus on anything that had been said all morning.  Hell, all week!  Her mind was a swirl of confusing thoughts and emotions-the most prominent at the moment being guilt.  She leaned forward, her elbow leaning on the table while she rested her cheek in her hand. 

She was no better than Kevin and that fact stung and left a bitter taste in her mouth.  Yes, they were separated but legally she was still married and Saturday night she'd done what she'd gotten so upset at him for doing. 

She'd slept with someone who wasn't her husband.

The guilt had been such that Kristen hadn't been able to work up the courage to go to church Sunday morning.  Fearing that she would be struck down as soon as she stepped through the door for being a hypocrite and breaking the sixth commandment, she had stayed home instead--curled up on the couch, the scene from the previous night repeating itself over and over in her head.

They stumbled through the door and Kristen turned, bringing Chris in front of her, as she reached behind blindly to shut and lock her front door.  Chris still had his hands on her face, his thumbs stroking her cheeks as his lips moved determinedly against her own.  As she closed the door he pressed her back against it--using it as leverage to deepen the already intense kiss they were sharing.  Kristen finally tore her lips away from his, desperately sucking in the oxygen her lungs were screaming for, but he kept right on going.  Her head fell back against the door and her fingers moved to sink into his dark hair as he lowered his own hands from her face-his lips burning a trail along her jaw and down her neck.  His hands came to rest on her waist her heart, which was already beating out a steady and frantic beat, sped up a bit as he pulled her roughly against him.  She couldn't hold back the moan that escaped as his delicious mouth moved back up to her ear, his lips beginning to toy with the sensitive flesh there.  She shivered.

All evening she'd wanted to pinch herself, to see if this was really happening.  It had been so long since a man had shown any sort of interest in her that she wasn't really sure what to do with that interest.  All of the flirting, all of the looks and all of the feelings swirling inside of her had led her to take a chance and kiss his cheek--never guessing in a million years that he would react the way he had.  His lips captured hers once again and Kristen tightened her arms around his neck, wanting to be as close as possible to him. 

Chris pulled back suddenly and looked at her.  His brown eyes met hers as they both struggled for breath.  She could see his desire for her burning in his incredible eyes and she felt goose bumps rush over her.  Slowly, she removed her arms from around his neck--her fingers slipping out of his hair--and lowered them to her sides.  Their eyes stayed locked on each other.  No words were spoken but they both heard the silent question hanging in the air between them loud and clear.  She had a choice to make and it was totally up to her whether or not this was going to happen tonight. 

Although, she was instantly bombarded with a million thoughts and voices as to why they shouldn't, Kristen wanted to push them all away and throw caution to the wind.  Every female hormone she possessed was screaming at her to do this.  It had been so long, she couldn't remember the last time she had done this.  Her and Kevin's relationship had been anything but intimate for longer than she cared to think about and suddenly here she was, standing in her apartment with an insanely attractive and sexy man who wanted to be with her and everything inside was screaming for release. 

Her knees suddenly felt a bit unsteady as Chris continued to stand there looking at her.  Finally, pushing all of the thoughts and voices in her head away Kristen took a step around Chris and began walking away from him and farther into her apartment.  Chris turned to look at her, watching her curiously and Kristen fought to keep a straight face-delighted over the fact that she had him so intrigued and captivated.  With slow and measured precision, Kristen crossed her arms in front of her, grabbed the hem of her tank top and lifted the material up and over her head.  His dark eyes darkened even more and Kristen's stomach flipped.  She let the tank top fall to the floor at her feet then took a step backwards.  Trying her best to be as seductive as she could Kristen lifted her hand and crooked a finger at him, beckoning him towards her. 

Kristen shifted in her seat and picked up her pen.  She began idly doodling in her notebook to put on the appearance that she was listening and taking notes.  Why did he leave?  The question had been rolling around in her head since waking up to discover she was alone.  A disconcerting feeling when she knew she had gone to bed with someone.  To her the night had been incredible, Chris had been amazing and she'd fallen asleep with the look of pleasure and absolute satisfaction on his face fresh on her mind.

She had gone over every detail, searching for the fatal flaw.  The reason that would have made him disappear like he had--leaving her to wonder if it had all just been a dream.  The only answer she had been able to come up with was that Kevin had been right.  She was boring.  Why had she thought she held any power over him at all?  What had made her assume that the spark in his eyes was more than just temporary lust?  What had made her think that maybe their flirting and open conversation with each other that night had been anything more than just his ploy to get her into bed as quickly as possible?  What had made her believe he was more than just some spoiled celebrity used to getting his way?  Kristen bit her bottom lip to hide its trembling and closed her eyes against the tears that were starting to form but one slipped from beneath her lashes.  She angrily wiped it away, hoping no one had seen it.  She refused to cry over him.  He had used her and proven he wasn't worth it.  She wasn't going to waste her tears on one more man.  She was done.  No more.  He was the last one.     

"Kristen and Amie?"

Kristen looked up in surprise as Michelle called on the two girls.  She sniffed and looked around the conference room. 

"How are the plans going for the benefit concert?" Michelle asked.

"Kristen and I have spent the last couple weeks making a lot of phone calls." Amie said.  "We've been able to get a commitment from a few vendors and we're in talks with a couple different arenas to see which one will work the best."

"Which musicians have signed on so far?" Kyle asked.

Kristen and Amie looked at each other then at everyone else who were all looking at them expectantly--except Kyle who just sat there looking smug, somehow knowing that he and Mark were several steps farther than the girls were in their event plans. 

"Well..." Amie hesitated.  She cleared her throat.  "None." She answered honestly.  "But," she continued quickly.  "Kristen has recently had a few...conversations," she looked at Kristen and Kristen felt her cheeks blush at the knowing look and smile that her friend gave her, "with the one and only Chris Kirkpatrick and I'm sure--"

"You really think anyone's going to pay to see his ass up on stage?" Kyle cut in.  "A guy who sang backup for a boyband?  What's he going to do up there?  People aren't going to want to see and hear one-fifth of a song or dance."

"For your information," Kristen stated, feeling her defenses rise.  Despite her earlier despairing thoughts about the man, she couldn't just sit there while he was being slandered.  "He's actually working on putting together a new group."

"Is he?" Kyle asked, clearly not impressed.

"Yes." Kristen nodded, glaring at the man.  What exactly was his deal about this whole thing?  Why was he so set against Chris being a part of this event?  "And I got him to agree on Saturday to be a part of the concert."

"Really?" Kyle asked, one brow rising as he cocked his head to the side and looked at her-his arms crossed over his chest.

"Really?" Amie echoed, turning to look at her with a shocked expression on her face.  Kristen met her friend's eyes and nodded slightly, wondering what on earth had possessed her to lie like that.  "Why didn't you..." she trailed off.  "Nevermind.  That's great!  So, we've got one act signed up." Amie smiled as she turned back to the room.  "The first one's always the hardest, but now that we've got Chris others will hear about it and want to sign up as well." Amie smiled confidently. 

"Very good." Michelle nodded.  "Let's move on..."

Again Kristen tuned out, her eyes falling to her notebook again as her heart began skipping nervously in her chest. 

"You little sneak." Amie whispered quietly as she leaned over towards her.  Kristen looked over at the girl.  "Why didn't you tell me that you got Chris to agree to do this?" She asked with an excited smile. 

"Because I haven't." Kristen admitted. 

Amie looked at her in confusion.  "B-but you just said..." She trailed off as the meeting finally ended and everyone stood to leave the room.  Kristen, however, stayed sitting and Amie continued to look at her, patiently waiting for an explanation. 

Kristen sighed.  "I couldn't handle Kyle's badgering anymore." She said.  "I..." she shook her head.  "I spoke without thinking.  I just wanted to shut him up." 

Amie frowned as she sat back in her chair.  Kristen could see the wheels turning in the girl's head and stayed quiet--waiting.  "Well." Amie finally said, gathering up her things as she stood.  "It's a good thing you and he have become so close." She winked at Kristen.  "Keep using that charm of yours on him and he'll agree to do this sooner or later, right?" She asked. 

"R-right." Kristen agreed as she looked down at the table once more, unable to meet her friend's gaze.  She had told Amie about what had happened after she and Chris had left the bar Saturday night, but she hadn't told her that he had snuck out sometime during the night while she had been sleeping and that she hadn't heard from him since.  Amie left the room and Kristen leaned her elbows on the table and put her head into her hands.  You've really stepped in it this time, Kristen, haven't you?  She berated herself.  You and you're big mouth.  She rolled her eyes as she let out a heavy sigh, gathered her notebook and stood.  Just had to try and upstage Kyle, didn't you.  Well now what?  She asked herself.  Now what?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Earth to Chris."

Chris jerked back in his chair as an empty water bottle suddenly came sailing his way.  "Ow!" He exclaimed as the plastic made a direct hit and connected with his temple.  "What the hell was that for?" He asked, turning to look at Mike.

The other man laughed as he tipped back in his chair.  "We've been sitting here for the last hour and I've been trying to talk to you for the last twenty minutes, but all I get is this blank stare from you." Mike explained.  "What's wrong?"  He asked.  "If you don't like the song, all you have to do is say so."

"No, it's not...it's not the song." Chris shook his head.  He sighed as he leaned forward, placing his elbows up on the edge of the soundboard in his home studio and scrubbed his hands over his face. 

"What's going on?" Mike asked.

Chris shook his head.  "Nothing." He said, pasting a smile on his face--hoping to convince the other guy that he was being truthful.  He had no desire to air all his thoughts right now to anyone.  "Sorry.  I'm focused now.  Play it again." 

Mike looked at him for a moment then finally turned and hit a few buttons, the opening measures of the new song they had been working on coming through the speakers of the recording equipment in the room.  Chris forced himself to work, though his mind continued to wander.

His eyes widened slightly as he watched her reach for the hem of her tank top and pull the shirt over her head.  His mouth suddenly went dry as she let the material fall to the floor, took a step backwards and beckoned him with a finger.  He was powerless to deny her and quickly closed the space between them--his arms wrapping around her waist as he pulled her against him and captured her mouth once more with his.  His hands ran over her smooth, warm skin as she continued walking backwards, leading him back to what he assumed was her bedroom, eliciting another moan from her.  Chris couldn't help the smug smile that came at hearing her sounds of pleasure because of his touch.  He had been with numerous women in the past--some more recent than most--but he suddenly couldn't remember any of them as Kristen's hands ran down his chest and slipped beneath his T-shirt.  He pulled back, looking at her as his chest rose and fell sharply.  She glanced up at him through her lashes and Chris all but groaned as she smiled coyly at him then pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she moved her hands up his chest--the material of his shirt moving upwards as well.  She soon rid him of the material then stood looking at him, waiting for his next move. 

Chris reached a hand up-his finger running over her lips and chin.  Kristen tipped her head back slightly as his finger continued running down her throat and chest, finally coming to rest at the junction of her bra.  Her chest rose and fell sharply and he found his eyes lowering to where his finger lay against her skin.  She was incredible!  Beautiful!  Her head came forward again, her eyes meeting his as he leaned towards her.  Their lips met in another heated exchange--the rest of their clothes soon joining their shirts on the floor.  They fell into bed in a tangle of arms and legs and Chris soon found out they had something else in common.  She was as passionate and energetic in bed as he was.  In that regard, they were a match made in heaven in his opinion.  Not once, but twice, he made her cry out and she him until they had both collapsed back against the mattress, panting for breath.

Chris shifted uncomfortably in his chair as Mike suddenly cleared his throat beside him.  He glanced over at the other man, relieved to see that his friend hadn't seemed to catch on to Chris's sudden state of...arousal, courtesy of the memories he had been indulging in. 

He wanted to see her again.  And it wasn't just because of the incredible sex they had shared.  He hadn't been able to stop thinking about her.  Her smile, her laugh, her beautiful brown eyes, and the way she smelled...he wanted to find out what else they may have in common.  He wanted to find out what had put the sadness and utter hopelessness in her eyes that first day they had met.  He wanted to know why she lived alone-why she hadn't been snatched up before now.  She was smart, funny, and incredibly sexy.  She was every guy's dream--a beautiful and educated woman who had a good head on her shoulders, enjoyed letting loose and having a good time, liked dogs, music and was into sports. 

Regardless of the fact that she cheers for Chicago. 

Chris couldn't help chuckling to himself as that thought crossed his mind-recalling the passionate way she had defended her beloved teams.  He couldn't wait for football season to start.  He could only imagine what watching a Steelers/Bears game with her would be like then he caught himself.  Football season?  He questioned.  That's...six months away!  Six months was a hell of a long time.  Anything could happen in six months and suddenly the thoughts and questions that had chased him away from Kristen's early Sunday morning came back with a vengeance.  Why was he so infatuated with the girl?  Why, after all this time of being alone and committing himself to the life of a happy bachelor, was he beginning to question that life and wonder if there was something he had been missing out on.  Something he had overlooked and brushed aside in his arrogance and selfishness.   His ears suddenly tuned in to the words of the song Mike was working on and he wondered if someone other there was trying to tell him something. 

I've got this problem in my head
I can't remember what was said
I probably made a fool of myself

Well I had too many beverages
To overcome the shakes I had
I get so nervous when there's no else

Around but me and you
The space on what to do
I've got to find the answers
To the questions that I'm just to scared to ask

Ok, here goes
Will you be mine?

If you say that you will
Every footstep that I feel
Will be falling in a line
Running straight to you
If you're real
Would you feel the way I feel?
Then we'll be fine.

Again, Chris shifted uncomfortably in his seat--this time because the words of the song were hitting a little too close to home at the moment; voicing thoughts he was too scared to at the moment.

I need some clarity,
Someone to comfort me.
When the sum of one and one is three.

If you say that you will
Every footstep that I feel
Will be falling in a line
Running straight to you.
If you're real
Would you feel the way I feel?
Then we'll be fine.

If you're real
Would you feel the way I do?

Who was he to think Kristen would want to have anything to do with him--an out of work musician?  He was a playboy.  He wasn't the type to settle down in a relationship.  It had been more than a decade since his last serious relationship.  He wasn't sure he even knew what the first step was to start one.  It's certainly not sleeping with the girl your interested in before you've even had a real date with her and then sneaking off in the middle of the night because you're too afraid to face her in the morning.  He rolled his eyes as his conscience yelled at him.  What kind of man did that? 

"What kind of man are you?"  Kristen's question from Saturday night came back to taunt him. 

The kind of man you're better off without.  He answered. 

However, regardless of the fact that he believed she was better off without him, Chris pulled his cell phone from his pocket and looked at the small device.  He tapped the phone against his leg as his heart and his head battled one another for a few moments.  Finally, deciding to take a chance, he stood--completely ignoring Mike's inquisitive gaze as he left the room.  Chris pulled up his list of contacts, selected her number, and leapt-his heart pounding as he pressed the phone to his ear.

End Notes:

so...how am I doin' so far??  Reviews are like crack to me...

 

song credit: Say You Will by Nigel's 11

Chapter 7 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
For those of you reading this, you may have already figured out that this is a sort-of continuation of my other three stories (we're just focusing on a different member of our favorite group!).  With that being said, some of my other characters may pop in from time to time...

"Hi, this is, uh...this is, Chris.  I just wanted to call to see if...if you...listen, I'm sorry about...about leaving like I did.  I don't know why...okay, you know what?  Let me start over, cuz I'm really starting to sound like a moron here.  I was calling to see if maybe you'd like to go out sometime.  You know, for real this time?  So uhm...if you want to...to go out, if you're not busy next Thursday night, uhm...call me.  I thought maybe we could go to the Magic/Bulls game. I've got tickets. You, uhm...well, you have my number..."

Kristen lowered her phone after listening to Chris' voicemail for the third time.  She leaned back in her chair and stared at the wall.  When her phone had started buzzing and his name had flashed across the screen that afternoon, she had ignored his call--letting it go to voicemail.  She didn't want to talk to him and hear whatever lame excuse he had for his disappearing act over the weekend.   She wondered if he would even leave a message, but he had.  And now she didn't know what to do about it.

The first time she'd listened to the message Kristen had smiled, imagining him pacing around somewhere a she left the disjointed message for her.  His nervousness was cute at the beginning but her earlier thoughts soon intruded. 

She was confused. 

She was hurt. 

And he was playing dirty. 

He had taken the information she'd given him on Saturday--appealing to her love of sports--and Kristen was upset that she was even considering taking him up on his offer.  What happened to being done with men?  She asked herself.  She blew out a breath as she leaned over her desk. 

"What are you thinking about so hard?"

Kristen jerked up quickly in surprise as Amie plopped herself down on the edge of her desk.  "Let me ask you a question." Kristen said, suddenly wanting and needing another opinion on this situation.

"Shoot." Amie said, looking at her expectantly as she took a sip of the diet Pepsi in her hand.

"Let's say," Kristen began, leaning back in her chair again.  "Let's say that you went out one Friday night with some friends."

"Okay." Amie nodded.  "Where did we go?"

"A karaoke bar." Kristen supplied and Amie smiled.  "And let's say that you met someone while you were at this karaoke bar and you ended up leaving the bar with this someone." Kristen continued.

"Hmmm...I don't know..." Amie drawled as she took another sip of her Pepsi.  "That doesn't really sound like something I would do." She said, pursing her lips and playing at thinking it over really hard.  Kristen couldn't help chuckling at her friend though she rolled her eyes.  "Continue." Amie grinned.

"Let's say you ended up going out to eat with this someone and you ended up talking with him, and laughing with him and feeling like you really made a connection with him." Kristen said.  Amie nodded for her to continue.  "And let's say that this someone ends up taking you home and...and you end up sleeping with this someone." Amie smiled as Kristen kept talking.  Kristen looked down at her lap.  "And then, let's say that this someone calls you a few days later and asks you out on a date."  She looked back up at Amie.  "Would you go?"

"Hell yeah!" Amie exclaimed.  "Are you kidding me?!"

"What if I told you that this someone snuck out in the middle of the night after you fell asleep and this is the first time he's called you in four days?" Kristen asked.  "Would that change your answer?"

"He...he left?!" Amie asked in shock.  "Are you serious?"  Kristen nodded.  "Just left?" Amie continued.  "Without saying anything?"

"I fell asleep and he was there.  I woke up and he was gone." Kristen stated. 

"He..." Amie looked at her for a moment.  "Why didn't you tell me this earlier?" She asked looking a bit hurt that Kristen had left information out of her story about her weekend with Mr. Former Boyband.

Kristen shrugged as she looked down and began picking imaginary pieces of lint from her pants.  "I didn't want to ruin the story for you."  She grumbled and Amie groaned.  "I didn't think he was going to call me again so I didn't think it was a big deal." She explained. 

"He left, Kris!" Amie exclaimed.  "That's a big deal!"

"So I take it that changes your answer." Kristen chuckled humorlessly as she looked back up at her friend.

"Damn right, it changes my answer!" Amie replied hotly.  "The douche doesn't deserve you.  No matter who he is or how long you may have had a secret crush on him.  Just leaving?  Not cool." She stated, bringing the Pepsi bottle up to her lips again.

"I have not had a secret crush on him!" Kristen insisted.  Amie just looked at her.  "Yeah he's cute, and I'll be the first to admit it, but it's not like I've been walking around her every day talking about how much I love him." She replied bitterly. 

"You're right, I'm sorry." Amie apologized.  The girls were both quiet for a moment.

"Maybe he had some kind of an emergency come up?" Kristen asked.

"Do not start making excuses for him!" Amie stated, giving Kristen a hard look as she pointed at her.  "Girl," she shook her head.  "No.  What's to say he really wants to go on a date with you?  Hmmm?  What if he's looking for just another hookup?"

"Maybe I want ‘just another hookup.'" Kristen replied flippantly.  Amie lifted one brow as she looked at her friend in disbelief.  "What?" Kristen asked-folding her arms across her chest defiantly.  "Is that so hard to believe?"

"How long have we known each other, Kris?" Amie asked, tilting her head to the side as she studied Kristen. 

"Four years." Kristen muttered, looking away from the other girl.  "Why?"

"And in all that time, how many ‘hookups,'" she made invisible quotation marks in the air with her fingers, "have you had?"

Kristen rolled her eyes.  "One." She replied.  Amie looked at her in question and Kristen rolled her eyes as she sighed in exasperation.  "Last weekend!" She exclaimed, reminding Amie what they were talking about. 

"Oh.  Right." Amie replied.  She waved her hand through the air.  "I meant, excluding this weekend, how many hookups have you had?"

"None."

"Exactly.  Don't turn into a slut just because he's rich and famous." Amie told her.  "He's not worth it and you're better than that."

"It's just a date, Ames." Kristen argued--sick of the flip-flopping emotions in her chest.  One minute she was upset about the whole thing and the next she was ready to pick up the phone and call him back--desperately wanting to see his face again.  Her heart fluttered in her chest as she thought about his smile, his laugh, those incredible brown eyes of his, and the way he had kissed her--touched her...

She swallowed hard and shook her head, fighting back the memories and trying to ignore the tingle running down her spine. 

"Do whatever you want, Kris." Amie said as she stood and walked towards the door of the office.  "But remember," she said as she stepped out into the hall.  "You deserve better than to be some C-list celebrity's booty call." 

Kristen chewed on her bottom lip.  Amie was right.  He had left that night, giving no indication that it had been anything other than a one-night stand to him and she was disgusted with herself over that fact that she had been such an easy lay for him.  And now he wanted to do it again!  And was dangling something in front of her that he knew she wouldn't be able to resist! 

Where do I find these guys?  She wondered bitterly with a shake of her head as she forced herself to go back to work.  How come I only attract losers and jackasses? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris was restless--unable to sit still or focus on anything for longer than a minute.  Walking out of the house, he walked around his backyard aimlessly Friday afternoon.  He stopped at the edge of the pool, becoming hypnotized for a moment as he watched the sun sparkle off the water.  He thought about jumping in.  Maybe a swim would help work off all this anxious energy he had.  But finally, deciding it was still too cold to be swimming, he walked away from the water. 

Squeezing the small, blue stress ball in his right hand a few times, Chris continued walking around.  He tossed the ball into his other hand then tapped it against his leg.  Sitting down in one of the chairs that surrounded the fire pit he had, Chris adjusted the black hat on his head.  Blowing out a breath he closed his eyes as he leaned his arms on his legs--his head hanging down.  Leila and Billie Jean walked over to him and he lifted his head as he heard the jangle of their tags.

"Why hasn't she called?" He asked.  The dogs just looked at him as they sat down--a bored expression on both of their faces.  His left leg began bouncing slightly as he continued to sit there--questions and thoughts bombarding him. He had called Kristen on Wednesday, leaving the most ridiculous and scattered message he'd ever left in his life, and had waited. 

Forty-eight hours later, he was still waiting. 

Was this normal?  What was the customary waiting period between phone calls when you didn't want to appear desperate or be called a stalker?  He couldn't remember any of these dating rules and frankly, he'd never really been any good at playing this particular game.  I'm getting too old for this shit.  He thought and, with a groan of frustration, Chris stood up--walking back into the house. 

Weren't they both old enough to not have to play games?  He liked Kristen.  He wanted to see her again.  He wanted to really get to know her.  He had put himself out there-making the first call.  Why couldn't she just be honest and tell him she didn't want to go?  Why couldn't she just put him out of his misery?  If she called and said, no, then he'd be able to leave this state of limbo he was in and move on with his life.

"I shouldn't have left." He muttered under his breath as he threw the ball in his hand across the room.  It hit the wall then landed on the couch.  The regret of sneaking away and leaving her like the coward he was, was coming back to bit him in the butt.  If he had stayed, they would have been able to talk.  He would have been able to see in her eyes and hear in her voice whether or not she was interested in seeing him again.  It was hard to ignore someone when they were lying in bed next to you. 

His eyes caught sight of his car keys lying on the counter and he stopped--the thought of driving over to her apartment and just confronting her running briefly through his head.  Chris rubbed his chin, thinking.  Would that succeed in doing anything?  He wondered.  Just solidify the fact that you're crazy and desperate.

With a roll of his eyes, Chris turned and continued walking--making his way downstairs.  The silence surrounding him suddenly made him want to scream.  He'd never been affected by the quiet and emptiness of his house before, but the last few days it had felt like the walls were closing in on him and he was suffocating.  Opening the door to his home studio, Chris pulled his cell phone from his pocket.  Placing it where he would be able to see and hear if he received a call, Chris sat down.  He hit a few switched on the soundboard in front of him, put a pair of headphones on, then turned and picked up one of his guitars.  Listening to his new song, Chris began humming and strumming the guitar--picking out a harmony to the track he had laid down yesterday. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After an hour of accomplishing nothing, Chris put the guitar back on its stand and took off his headphones.  He closed his eyes as he tipped back in his chair--scrubbing his hands over his face.  The image of Kristen's face occupied his thoughts and he cursed the woman.  What was this power she held over him?  Was she a witch of some kind?  He was almost to the point of believing she had cast a spell over him Saturday night.  How else was he supposed to explain his inability to forget her and live his life as he had before he'd first met her two weeks ago? 

His doorbell rang suddenly and Chris sat up abruptly, his brows furrowing.  He wasn't expecting anyone and there were only a few who knew the combination to get past his security gate-none of whom had told him they were coming over or were in town.  Grabbing his phone, Chris left the studio and walked upstairs.  Maybe whoever it was at the door would be able to distract him.  The bell rang again and his dogs barked as they hurried to beat him to the door.  He pushed them aside as he opened the door.  He stood in surprise for a moment when he saw who his visitors were but a smile soon came to his face. 

"Thanks for the warning." Chris teased as he greeted the couple.  "I wouldn't have answered if I'd known it was you."

"Nice to see you, too, man." JC replied with a chuckle. The men greeted each other with a hug and brotherly slaps on the back. 

"Not to be rude." Chris said as he turned and gave Rachel a hug.  "Cuz I love you, but why are you here?" He asked pulling back from her.  He looked back and forth between the couple. 

"It was her idea." JC said, pointing to Rachel as he switched the car seat he was holding from one hand to the other.  Chris stepped back--allowing JC and Rachel to step into the house.

"I was going stir-crazy." Rachel explained.  "I've been cooped up in the house for the past month."  She ran her hands through her hair.  "I had to get out and when we got Joey's call about Briana's birthday party this weekend I figured it was the perfect excuse."  She smiled.

"And you brought the munchkin." Chris stated the obvious as JC set down the car seat.

"I tried to leave her." Rachel replied with a smile as she looked at her husband then back at Chris.  "But she's got him wrapped completely around her little finger," she said, gesturing with her thumb at JC.  "He can't leave the house for more than ten minutes without calling me to check on her." She teased.  JC glared at Rachel, his cheeks warming slightly in embarrassment.  "I didn't think he'd be able to survive an entire weekend without her."

Chris laughed.  "Let's see her." He said.  "Let's see this little lady who's got C completely whipped."

"I'm not completely whipped." JC insisted as he bent down and reached into the car seat. 

Chris looked over at Rachel who nodded and mouthed, "he is," behind JC's back.   Chris cleared his throat to hide his chuckle as JC stood again and faced him--Claire tucked under his chin and nestled against his chest.  The baby squirmed in JC's arms, her head turning as she yawned and opened her little eyes and Chris smiled as he observed his friend in his new role as father.  In all the years they'd spent together, having kids wasn't something he'd ever pictured JC doing, but JC had taken to it like a fish to water and it made him chuckle to see this different side of the man.

After they had finished the tour with their last show in Vegas, the guys had all made one last stop in LA to greet the newest member of their extended family before disbanding to their own homes.  Claire had been a week old when she'd met the members of N SYNC and Chris was struck at how much she had grown and changed in the weeks since he'd first seen her.  She let out a little cry and JC shushed her--bouncing her slightly in his arms as he lowered his head, brushing his lips against the top of her fuzzy head. 

"See what I mean?" Rachel asked as she folded her arms across her chest and leaned towards Chris.  Chris looked over at her, returning her knowing smile.  "Completely wrapped around her finger.  He's never looked at me like that."  She confessed to him with a teasing glint in her eyes. 

"Where are you guys staying?" Chris asked as he turned, Rachel and JC following him as he walked back towards his Living Room. 

"The Mariott downtown." Rachel replied. 

"You could have stayed here." Chris offered as they all sat down.  JC handed Claire off to Rachel then put his arm up on the back of the couch behind his wife. 

"Trust me, it's better this way." Rachel said with a chuckle as she cradled the baby in her arms and began rocking her gently to get her back to sleep.  "She's pretty loud when she wakes up five times during the night.  You wouldn't have ever wanted us to come back for a visit." She teased.

"We can put her down in the studio." Chris offered.  "It's soundproof."

"Already tried that at home." JC laughed.  "Didn't go over so well with this one." He said, nodding his head towards Rachel. 

Rachel chuckled as she jabbed JC in the ribs with her elbow.  "You know what we've been doing the last three weeks." She said, lifting Claire slightly.  "What about you?" She asked with a smile.

"Sleeping." Chris replied, giving his customary answer whenever anyone asked him the same question. 

"Lucky bastard." JC muttered under his breath. 

Chris laughed as he slouched down farther on the couch--stretching his legs out in front of him.  "I'm not the one who decided to have kids." He replied.  "You made your bed with that one, C." He continued.  "And now you have to sleep in it."

"Did you use the bed analogy just to rub it in some more?" JC asked and Chris giggled. 

"Maybe." Chris replied with a casual shrug of his shoulder, a grin on his face. 

"Not even JC here can sleep for three weeks straight." Rachel interjected as she placed a once more sleeping Claire against her shoulder.  "Even if he could.  What's post-tour life offered you so far?" She questioned.

Chris lifted his hand, rubbing the back of his neck as he thought about what he'd been doing the last month.  "Well, let's see..." he drawled.  "I did a radio spot a few weeks ago," he began ticking items off on his fingers.  "I've been working with Mike on putting some songs together, watched the game with Joey last week, had some people over and partied like old times, got in a minor car accident in the grocery store parking lot, and I've gone out to a few clubs." He said, giving a brief synopsis of how he'd been spending his time since the last time they'd seen each other.  He'd purposefully avoided saying anything about Kristen because he knew Rachel.  He knew that once he brought up anyone by name--specifically a woman--she would begin interrogating him and want to know everything.  He'd seen her at work and had heard JC complaining--albeit good-naturedly--about her interfering and match-making schemes and he did not want to be the recipient of any of her attention on that front.

"What happened with your car accident?" JC asked.  "You okay?"

"Oh, yeah." Chris pushed his hand through the air.  "It was nothing.  This...this girl just backed into me.  No big deal.  Oh, and the children's hospital here is trying to put together a benefit concert.  They contacted Joey about doing something and he told me about it."

"What do they want you to do?" Rachel asked. 

"I don't know." He shrugged.  "I really haven't heard any more information on it.  I was going to talk to Joe about it some more tomorrow but it got me thinking..." he hesitated. 

"About what?" JC asked.

"You ever think about getting everyone back together to do our Challenge for the Children basketball game?" Chris asked JC. Rachel immediately perked up--an excited look on her face--while JC looked thoughtful.

"I...haven't." JC answered honestly with a shake of his head.

"Why did we stop?" Chris asked.

They were both quiet for a second and then, "Justin." Both men said in unison with a laugh. 

"He's why we stopped everything, isn't he?" JC asked with a smile and a roll of his eyes. 

"You should totally start again!" Rachel exclaimed.  "That would be...awesome!"

"Calm down, Rach." JC chuckled. 

"No, you can't tell me to calm down after dangling something like that in front of me!" She replied.  "Oh, I always wanted to go to one of your guys' games but I was never able to." She pouted.  "But if you guys started doing the games again I could go!  And get front row seats!" She giggled. 

Chris and JC looked at each other.  JC rolled his eyes at her excited ramblings.  "If you're lucky." Chris said.  "You might get more than front row seats." He told her.

"What could be better than front row seats?" Rachel asked, looking at Chris in question.

Again Chris' eyes met JC's and he grinned.  "How's your game?" He asked.  Rachel looked at him in confusion for a moment until it clicked what he was saying.  She sat up and looked at Chris and then JC--her head swiveling back and forth between the two men a few times before she was able to speak. 

"You mean...I could...I could play with you guys?" She asked.  "Actually play with the members of N SYNC at Challenge for the Children?!" She squealed.  "That would be awesome!"

JC laughed.  "You'd never know she was actually married to me and just had my baby with the way she's carrying on right now, would you?" He remarked dryly.  

Chris chuckled.  "She's not your wife right now." He stated.  "Right now, she's a fan.  Be careful, C." He teased.  "She may start trying to rip your shirt off or something."

"You're the one who just told her she could play with us." JC said, pointing a finger at him.  "I blame you for this." He said, pointing back at his wife. 

"I love how you two are talking about me like I'm not here." Rachel stated with a laugh. 

"Welcome back, Rachel!" Chris exclaimed with a bright smile. 

Rachel rolled her eyes at him, though the smile remained on her face.  "Whatever you have to do to get the Challenge going again," she said.  "Do it.  But I have one request." 

"What's that?" JC asked her. 

"I want to be on Justin's team."        

End Notes:
alright, show the love people....I know you're reading this...let me know what you think :)
Chapter 8 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
the plot thickens...

"Have you called her yet?"

Chris choked on his drink as Joey sidled up next to him Saturday afternoon.  He looked over at Rachel who was standing nearby--and who was now looking at him in interest--then back at Joey.  Chris looked at Joey, silently begging him not to say anything more.  He'd seen her perk up at Joey's question and she was now watching him closely. 

"She's not going to wait forever, you know." Joey continued and Chris wanted to kill him. 

"Joe." He whispered out of the side of his mouth as Rachel took a step closer to them--her attention pulled from the party going on around them and now entirely focused on him.  Chris turned slightly towards Joey and coughed, trying to grab the other man's attention but Joey was completely oblivious.  Rachel was now standing right next to him and Chris swallowed nervously at the look in her eyes.  So much for keeping her out of this.  He muttered glaring at Joey--silently plotting the other man's sudden demise.  Kelly wouldn't mind if he killed her husband, right?  Chris had heard her complain about some of the things Joey did that she couldn't stand and he figured that she'd probably thank him in the long run. 

"I'm going to take your silence as a no." Joey continued as he lifted his own drink to his lips.  "What's it been?" He asked.  "Two weeks now.  You're losing your edge, man." He teased.

Chris felt his jaw clench as he fought not to do or say anything to Joey that would give him away.  He watched Rachel out of the corner of his eye and knew she was waiting for him to admit there was someone he was interested in.  All it would take was one acknowledgement and she'd start plotting and scheming--he knew it. 

Maybe if I just ignore him, and act like I don't know what the hell he's talking about she'll leave it alone.  He scoffed, knowing that wasn't going to be the case.  Rachel was great and he was happy that JC had found her but during the last year when they'd been on tour, she had tried to hook him up with almost every single woman who crossed his path or whom he'd shown even a slight hint of interest in. 

At least, that's what it had felt like. 

In reality, she had only tried to set him up on two or three dates but that was two or three dates too many in Chris' opinion.  At first he had thought it was just all the pregnancy hormones making her act like that until Justin had filled him in one night on how Rachel had worked so hard to push him and Aubrey together at the beginning of their relationship.  Chris had soon learned to not even look at or mention a girl whenever Rachel was around--fearing that before he knew it she'd have them married.  She had decided somewhere along the way that since she had managed to get the one and only Justin Timberlake to settle down, her next project was going to be Chris--the confirmed bachelor of the group.  He had purposefully not mentioned Kristen at all last night for this very reason and now Joey was blowing everything.  Without thinking about it he reached over and punched Joey in the arm.

"Ow!" Joey exclaimed.  "What the hell man?" He asked, finally turning and looking at Chris in question.  Chris gave Joey a pointed look and nodded slightly towards Rachel.  Joey's eyes looked at who he was gesturing towards and grimaced slightly.  "Sorry man." He muttered under his breath as he took another sip of his drink.  "But the cat's out of the bag now."

Chris sighed heavily and rolled his eyes.  "I just want you to remember that I know where you live and where you sleep." He threatened as he turned and looked at Rachel.  "And you," he said pointing at her. 

"Me?" she asked innocently.

"Don't give me that innocent look, missy.  I don't need any help from you." Chris stated as he glared at her. 

"You don't scare me." Rachel smiled as she put her hands on her hips.  "But what does scare me is the fact that you've had some girl's number for two weeks and you haven't called her." She stated.  "You better have a good reason for that."

 "I don't need to justify anything to you." He reminded her.

"You're right." Rachel nodded.  "You don't have to justify anything but..." she shrugged.  "Indulge me." She grinned.  "Do you like her?" She asked, an excited sparkle in her brown eyes.  He sighed--which she took as the sign of resignation that it was--as he looked over her shoulder and around the backyard, searching for JC.  He needed to come control his wife and keep her from butting into his personal life.  "Why haven't you called her?!"  She exclaimed, tucking some of her blonde hair behind her ears then folding her arms across her chest. 

"I never said I haven't called her." Chris replied, giving up his search for JC.  He might as well accept the fact that this was going to happen.  The sooner he gave her all the information the sooner this torture session would be over and he could leave.  If he didn't she would keep pressing him for the information she wanted until she was satisfied.  Chris sighed again as Rachel looked at him in question.  "The car accident I told you about last night?" He asked and she nodded.  "She's the girl that hit me." He explained.  "I uh..." rubbed the back of his neck and shifted his weight from foot to foot uncomfortably.  If he had been wearing a tie he would have been tugging on it and trying to loosen it in nervousness.  This is ridiculous!  He thought.  I've been in the spotlight for almost half my life but I can't stand here and talk to Rachel about this?  Why? 

He turned and walked the few steps to sit down at the nearest table.  He hoped-even though he knew it was futile-that Rachel would get the hint and leave him alone but, like he knew she would, Rachel followed and sat down next to him.  "Don't you have a baby you should be taking care of?" He asked still fighting the fact that she was going to get this information from him.  Although, now that the beans had been spilled and she now knew there was someone he was interested in, part of him wanted to tell her everything that had happened and get someone else's opinion on the situation.  Another woman's perspective might help him figure out what he had done wrong and what he needed to do to make it right. 

"JC has her." Rachel replied, waving her hand through the air.  "He's showing her off to everyone."  They were both quiet for a moment.  "What's going on?" She asked.

His leg began bouncing and he rubbed his hands on his thighs as he swallowed.  "I really like her." He finally admitted--finally giving voice to the feelings that had been swirling around inside of him all week.  "But I don't..." he stopped, biting his lip and tapping the fingers of one hand against the table--trying to get his thoughts in order.  "We met again last weekend at a bar downtown.  We ended up going out to get something to eat and then I took her home and..." he trailed off as he glanced over at Rachel who was watching him with a smile on her face.

"And?" She questioned, prodding him to continue. 

"And..." He paused.  "I don't know why I'm explaining any of this to you." He muttered under his breath.

"Because obviously things aren't going the way you'd like for them to be going and you need someone to tell you why." She stated, voicing his earlier thoughts.  He looked at her in amazement.  "Am I right?" She asked.

"What you are, is scary." He admitted and she giggled. 

"Just get it out." She told him, placing a hand on his arm.  "What happened last weekend?"

"We really hit it off, you know?" He asked, picking at the table cloth.  "Or at least I thought we did." He mumbled.  "We sat and talked for a while, getting to know each other then I took her home."

"Yes, we're past this point already." Rachel teased and Chris rolled his eyes at her making her laugh.  "What happened after that?" She asked, nudging him with her shoulder.

"She kissed me." He replied. Rachel made a noise of interest and he continued.  "And then we...well we...you know."

"You hooked up?" Rachel guessed.

"It wasn't a hook up." Chris insisted with a shake of his head.

"Okay." Rachel acknowledged.  "Then what was it?"

"We slept together." He admitted.  "But it wasn't a hook up."  Rachel remained quiet, waiting for him to continue.  "Anyway," he sighed.  "I left and it's now been a week.  I called her a couple of days ago but--"

"Wait." Rachel said, cutting him off.  "Rewind.  You left?"  She asked.  He nodded.  "What does that mean?"

"What do you mean, what does it mean?" He asked, looking at her in question.  "Do you not understand English?" He asked, getting irritated with all her questions.

"I'm going to choose to ignore that last remark." She said under her breath.  "When did you leave?" She clarified.

"Why?" He questioned.

"Because that may be an important piece of information." She explained.  "And if you want me to tell you what you did wrong and how to fix it, I need to have all of the information.  Now, Mr. Kirkpatrick." She said, placing her elbows up on the table and resting her chin in her hands as she looked at him.  "When did you leave?"

"While she was sleeping." He replied.

"Stop!" Rachel said putting her hands up in front of her.  "I've heard enough.  That's it." She pointed at him.  "That's the reason why things aren't going the way you want them to go with this girl." She told him.  "See, I told you that that was going to be an important piece of information!" She leaned back in her chair, folded her arms across her chest and looked at him.

"What?" He questioned, feeling a bit uncomfortable with the way she was looking at him but not saying anything.

"Why did you leave while she was still sleeping?" She asked.   

"I--" He began, but she cut him off again.

"You said you really like this girl, right?" She asked.  Chris nodded.  "Did you decide that before or after you slept with her?" She questioned.  He waited to say anything, not knowing if she was going to cut him off again.  "Well?" She prodded when he remained silent.

"Before." He said.

She looked at him for a moment and he once again began to squirm uncomfortably in his chair.  He wondered how JC was ever able to keep anything a secret from her.  She could pull the truth out of anyone and he gave his friend major props for being able to keep their reunion plans from her as long as he had in the past.  "Do you think she liked you?" Rachel asked.

"I hope so." Chris replied, looking down at the table. 

"Okay, listen to me." She said leaning towards him.  "You wanted my help so I'm going to give it to you."  Chris opened his mouth to remind her that he hadn't asked for her help--she had volunteered it--but never got the chance.  "You kind of screwed things up leaving like you did." She told him bluntly.  "You claim it wasn't a hook up, but yet you got up and left like it was.  I know," she said, putting up her hands to stop him when he opened his mouth again to say something.  "I know it can be awkward waking up with someone you don't really know all that well, but if you guys really connected like you say you did and if there were mutual feelings between you and she's anything like me," Rachel put her hand against her chest and Chris found himself praying that Kristen wasn't like Rachel.  He didn't know if he could handle that.  He was perfectly fine leaving JC to deal with Rachel's loveable but crazy ass.  "Waking up without you there would have hurt.  A lot.  And it would have made me think that it was just a one-night stand." 

Chris sighed, letting Rachel's words sink in.  "So what do I do?" He asked. 

"Well..." she paused and he looked over at her.  "What have you done?"

"I called her on Wednesday and asked if she wanted to go out with me next week." He stated.

"And?" Rachel questioned. 

"She hasn't returned my call." He muttered, slumping down in his chair.   

"Okay." She nodded.  "Uhm..." Chris waited as she thought for a moment.  "Do you know where she works?" She asked.

"Yeah." Chris nodded.  "We talked about it while we were eating.  She works at the children's hospital."  Rachel lifted an interested brow and Chris wondered if she had made the connection to the conversation they'd had last night about the hospital putting together the benefit concert.  He saw something spark in her eyes.  "What's that look for?" He asked as a grin spread across her face.

"I'm going to give you a little piece of advice." She said as she leaned towards him.  "JC never gave up."

"What?" He asked with a confused chuckle. "What the hell does JC have to do with any of this?" 

"Just listen to me." Rachel smiled.  "He never gave up.  He knew what he wanted," she pointed at herself, "And he went after it.  Every time I turned around it seemed like he was there--showing up when I least expected.  I went out to a club with some friends one night and he was there." She told him.  "He found out where I lived and showed up when I was feeling sick one day and there was more than one time that he surprised me by showing up where I worked."  She leaned even closer to him.  "It's kind of hard to ignore someone when they're standing right in front of you." She whispered conspiratorially. "You could just show up at her house, but there's the chance that she can slam the door in your face or just not answer or call the cops, but at work..." she trailed off.  "She might not be able to avoid you so easily without causing a scene."

"So I'm just supposed to show up there and ask to see her?" He asked.

"What does she do at the hospital?" Rachel asked.

"Public Relations and Fund Raising." Chris answered.

"Perfect!" Rachel grinned.  "This is what you're going to do..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kristen?" Michael called out Monday morning as she walked past his office on her way to hers.  Kristen closed her eyes, groaning.  She wasn't ready to talk to anyone yet this morning.  It was just one of those mornings where she didn't feel like dealing with anybody and now wished she'd called out instead of coming in.  She stopped and turned around.  "Are you busy this morning?" Michael asked. 

Kristen tugged the strap of her purse higher on her shoulder as she took a sip of the coffee in her hands as she fought not to roll her eyes.  Am I busy this morning?  She questioned.  What kind of lame ass, stupid question is that to ask on a Monday morning?  She wanted to throw back at him.  And love today's sweater. She thought as she took another sip of her coffee.  Did your bowl of fruity pebbles explode all over you this morning?  She wanted to ask as she took in the outrageous and colorful design he was sporting today.  Where in the world do you get these things from?  She questioned internally. 

"I don't think so." She finally said, answering his question.  "I'll have to look at my calendar when I get to my desk but I think my morning is pretty clear.  I was just planning on finishing some paperwork and returning some calls.  Why?"

"I got a call from a new potential donor this morning." Michael told her.  "He's coming in at nine.  I want you to meet with him and give him the tour."

"Why me?" Kristen whined with a roll of her eyes before she could stop herself.  Michael looked at her in disbelief for a moment and Kristen's eyes widened as she clamped a hand over her mouth.  She looked at Michael with wide eyes and hurried to cover up her show of disrespect.  "I mean, of course." She smiled, feeling her cheeks warm in humiliation as he continued to stand there in stony silence--his arms folding across his chest.  She swallowed nervously, wondering what he would do.  She couldn't believe she'd actually stood there and questioned him like that!  She never done that before.  Thought about it?  Sure, all the time.  But actually said the words she was thinking out loud?  Never. 

"Nine o'clock." She nodded.  "I'll be down at the reception desk waiting with a smile on my face." She assured him before turning and quickly making her way to her office.  Sinking down into her chair Kristen moaned as she covered her face with her hands.  "That was brilliant." She berated herself.  She shook her head.  "Piss off your boss first thing Monday morning and make him think you don't like or want to do your job.  Way to go Kristen!" She said, raising her fists in a sarcastic cheer for herself.  She rolled her eyes.  "And I've really got to stop talking to myself." She finished as she lowered her hands.  Reaching for and wrapping her fingers around the paper cup she'd been carrying earlier, Kristen took another sip of the Caffe Mocha she'd gotten on her way in this morning. 

She closed her eyes and let out a quiet moan of pleasure as she savored the familiar taste and felt the warmth of the liquid spreading through her.  She prayed that the caffeine would kick in quickly--waking her up before she had to schmooze this new potential donor.  She didn't want to offend whoever it was and make a fool out of herself like she'd just done with Michael.  He now probably thought she didn't want to do her job when in reality, she was excited to meet with someone new who was interested in donating and getting involved with the hospital.  She loved showing people around, talking with them, introducing them to some of the kids, and letting them see the incredible staff and volunteers the hospital had in action.  It was a rewarding experience being involved with the organization she was a part of and Kristen hoped that whoever it was that was thinking about donating would be able to catch the vision and enthusiasm that each person who worked here had. 

Taking one more sip of her coffee, Kristen set the cup aside, locked her purse up in the bottom drawer of her desk, started up her computer and began attacking the stack of papers on her desk-keeping an eye on the clock.  It wouldn't do to make a bad first impression by being late.  Finally, at 8:45, Kristen stood up.  Grabbing one of the information packets she kept in her desk she took the final sip of her coffee and left her office.  Clipping on her name badge, she made her way out towards the reception desk at the main entrance of the hospital.  Kristen ran her fingers through her hair--mentally running through all the points she wanted to cover and trying to decide where she wanted to start the tour.  She smiled as she turned the final corner and entered the waiting area.  A man off to her right stood as she appeared and Kristen stopped short-her smiling fading as she met a very familiar pair of brown eyes. 

He looked incredible and Kristen feared her knees were going to give out at any moment as he stood there in a pair of dark, loose fitting jeans, a white dress shirt and a dark grey suit coat.  Her eyes ran over him and she noticed that he'd shaved.  When she'd been with him last Saturday, his jaw had been covered by the short beard he'd been wearing lately but now...she swallowed--her mouth suddenly dry, and her heart skipping in her chest.  He was once again sporting the simple goatee she'd always thought was insanely attractive on him.  He stepped towards her, a delicious smile on his gorgeous face and Kristen took a step backwards as he continued to close the space between them.    

"W-what are you doing here?" She asked-surprised she could speak at all.

"I came to see you." He replied and Kristen had to bite her bottom lip to keep a moan from escaping at hearing his voice once again--that seductive voice that had been in her dreams all week.  The voice she had listened to repeatedly on the voicemail she couldn't convince herself to erase. 

"I-I..." She trailed off, wanting to smack herself for allowing him to affect her so easily.  Don't let him get to you.  She told herself.  She shook her head as she stood up straighter and squared her shoulders.  "I'm sorry." She told him, resolving to remain strong.  She didn't know why he was here.  She didn't want to know why he was here.  She just wanted to forget about him.  She didn't want to hear his voice, or see his beautiful face, or dream about his kisses...his touches...the way his skin felt...the way he tasted...

"Why are you sorry?" He asked, breaking her from her dangerous thoughts. 

She shook her head.  "I'm very busy this morning."  She told him.  She cleared her throat.  "I don't have time--"

"I know." Chris replied, nodding his head as he took another step towards her.

Kristen narrowed her eyes as she took another step away from him.  "I have a potential donor coming in that I'm going to be busy showing around." She continued.  "He should be here any minute." She said, forcing her eyes away from him as she looked down at her watch.  "And I don't want him to think I'm slacking on the job standing here talking to you--"

"I'm here." He said.  "And I don't think you're slacking on the job by talking to me."

Kristen's head snapped up as she looked at him in surprise.  He grinned as he held up a visitor badge he had been given by the girl at the front desk and clipped it on the lapel of his jacket.  He grinned. 

"I want to see what this benefit concert you're putting together is going towards."  He told her.  He rubbed his hands together as his grin widened.  "Show me what you got."

~~~~~~~~~

Chris stood, trying to hide the smile that came at seeing Kristen so obviously flustered.  She was completely caught off guard at his admission but he had seen the flash of desire in her eyes when she'd first seen him before she'd tried to hide it-which gave him hope.  She was acting like she wasn't affected by him at all but he had the sneaking suspicion that if he were to push her back against the wall behind them and have his way with her, she wouldn't put up much of a fight, if any.  He made a mental note to thank Rachel for her help and ideas over the weekend.  As much as he hated to admit it, she had been right.  Kristen couldn't avoid him at work without causing a scene.  Even though he didn't know her real well, Chris sensed she wasn't one to cause an unnecessary scene.

He shoved his hands into his pockets as he rocked back on his heels slightly as his eyes ran over the woman standing in front of him in appreciation.  The black heels and slacks she was wearing showcased her incredible long legs and the bright pink, short-sleeved blouse she was wearing fit her perfectly--accentuating the curves he had become acquainted with last weekend and making his mouth go dry.  Her thick curls hung loose around her shoulders and he suddenly itched to sink his fingers into them while pulling her against him--kissing her beautiful mouth.  Her brown eyes regarded him cautiously and he winked at her, chuckling to himself when that simple act caused a blush to spread across her cheeks.  He watched as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and looked down at the folder she was clutching against her chest.

"If you wanted a tour," she said so quietly he had to step closer to her to hear what she was saying.  "You just had to ask."  She looked up at him again and sighed.  "You didn't have to lie."

"Lie?" He questioned, his brows furrowing.  "Who says I'm lying?  What have I lied about?  I haven't lied about anything." 

She dropped her arms to her sides in defeat as she looked at him.  "A potential donor?" She questioned and he fought the desire to squirm under her gaze.  Why did he suddenly feel like a kid who'd been caught with his hand in the cookie jar?

"I make charitable contributions to different organizations all the time." He told her.  "Especially ones that involve and help kids.  When you said you worked here and that you were putting together the benefit concert I wanted to see the place." He looked around the front waiting area.

"So...so this is all just a coincidence?" She asked, looking at him in question.  Her eyes met his, an unreadable expression on her face, and Chris wished he could read her thoughts.  He needed to know if this was working or not.  This wasn't exactly going the way he'd planned.  He had seen her as being excited to see him and eager showed him around the hospital.  Now it seemed like she was about to tell him good-bye.  If she brushed him off then his plans of talking to her and getting her to listen to him--to give him another chance--were ruined.  She turned from him and he took a quick step towards her. 

"Kristen, wait." He said, placing his hand on her upper arm.  She stopped, looked at where his hand rested against her skin then looked at him over her shoulder.  "I just..." he hesitated.  "I just wanted to see you again and...you never returned my phone call and I wasn't sure..." he sighed as he released her arm.  She turned to look at him, arms folded defensively as she held the folder across her chest.   "Look, I didn't mean to make you upset this morning." He stated.  "That wasn't my intention.  I am honestly interested in finding out about the hospital and hearing more about the show you guys want to put together.  I called this morning and talked to some guy..." he paused, searching for the name of the man he'd talked to.  "Michael?" He questioned.  "I think that was his name." He looked at her for validation and she nodded slightly.  "Anyway, I talked to him this morning and asked if you were available today because...because I thought about showing up at your house but figured you'd call the cops and have me arrested for stalking you but here at work you wouldn't be able to ignore me so easily.  I'm sorry." He apologized.  "I'll..." he sighed as he looked down at the floor.  "I'll go now." He said as he turned to leave.  "And I promise I'll quit bothering you."  He promised. 

He began retracing his steps towards the front door--mentally kicking himself.  No wonder he'd decided to remain a bachelor.  He had absolutely no game whatsoever when it came to women.  Rachel could try all she wanted but it was obvious he was fated to remain alone.  How else-

"Stop."

Chris almost tripped over his own feet as he quickly turned at that one word coming from her mouth.  He watched as her arms relaxed slightly.  He lifted his brows in expectation, waiting for her to speak. 

"I've already cleared my morning for this." She said with a shrug and shake her head and he couldn't help the smile that tugged at his lips.  "Might as well show you around." She said as he walked back towards her.  "I wouldn't want my boss to find out I turned away a potential donor." She finished, her lips slowly lifting in a teasing grin and Chris felt his own smile widen.  "I already pissed him off this morning and if he found out you left without getting the grand tour I'd be out looking for a new job before lunch."

"I don't want that to happen." Chris shook his head. 

"Me neither." She said.  She took a deep breath then released it.  "So." She said, turning slightly and gesturing down the long hallway in front of them.  "Shall we?"

"After you." He replied, holding his arm out to her.

~~~~~~~~

Kristen began walking and Chris quickly fell in step beside her.  She still couldn't believe he was here.  She wasn't convinced that he was really only looking for a new charity to support but, who was she to pass up the possible donation he was offering?  They walked silently, side-by-side, for a moment while Kristen tried to forget about the fact that she could practically feel his body heat beside her and she could smell the clean, intoxicating scent of his cologne and aftershave.  She clasped her hands together in front of her to hide their trembling as they continued walking down the corridor, trying to ignore the way her heart was fluttering in her chest; the way she just wanted to throw herself at him and beg him to take her and make her his again and again--like he'd don't last week...

"So..." Chris began, jarring Kristen from her thoughts. 

She cleared her throat and reached up to tuck some of her hair behind her ears, feeling as if her cheeks were blazing.  Did he know what she had just been thinking?

"How--" She turned to ask him a question-hoping to pull her thoughts out of the gutter-but was startled to find him so close.  Had his eyes always been deep and...and...she struggled to find a word worthy enough to describe his eyes.  She felt her breath coming in shallow gasps, her knees wavered slightly as he continued looking at her.  "How..." she cleared her throat again and tried to shake the mental images bombarding her.  It was very hard to concentrate when the memory of their...date...last week was still very fresh in her mind.  She closed her eyes and prayed for the strength to get through this.  "Uhm...how much do you know about the hospital?" She asked. 

"Not a whole lot, I'm ashamed to say." He replied honestly with a shake of his head.  He rubbed the back of his neck in a gesture she'd begun to suspect he did when he was nervous.  She thought about his voicemail message from last week and bit her bottom lip to hide her smile.  She made him nervous.  She couldn't remember the last time a man--an incredible and unbelievably sexy man-had been nervous around her.  Hell, who am I kidding?  She thought with a quiet chuckle.  When has a man ever been nervous around me?  Never!     

"Alright." She said as they approached a set of elevators.  Kristen reached out to press the ‘up' button.  "Then we'll just start at the beginning."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You haven't answered my question." Chris said as he and Kristen stepped onto an elevator after getting the full tour of the pediatric rehabilitation center.  He watched as she looked at him in question.

"What question?" She asked, her brows furrowing slightly.  She was cute when she was confused.  "I'm sorry." She said.  "I must have not heard you.  Did you want to go back and look at something?" She asked reaching out to stop the elevator and return them to the floor they'd been on. 

"No." He said, grabbing her hand before she could press any of the buttons.  He heard her breath hitch at the contact and he smiled.  "You've shown me everything I want to see and answered each of my questions..." he paused and he wondered what she would do if he were to just kiss her right now.  She watched him closely, waiting for him to finish what he had been saying.  "You've answered each of my questions except one." He told her. 

"What question didn't I answer?" She asked, her eyes looking down at their clasped hands and then meeting his once again.

"Are you going to go to the game on Thursday with me?"

~~~~~~

Kristen released the breath she'd been holding since he'd reached for and grabbed her hand and looked away from him.  "I..." she pulled her hand from his and nervously reached up to tuck some hair behind her ear as she looked down at the floor.  "Chris, I..."

He blew out a breath beside her and she turned to look at him.  "I understand." He said, with a nod of his head. 

"No, you don't--" she said, turning to look at him.

"It's okay." He assured her.  "You don't want to go.  That's fine.  I understand--"

"Stop." Kristen said as she reached out and placed a hand on his arm.  She closed her eyes as she sighed.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth--the thoughts and emotions that she'd been struggling with all week returning in earnest.  "Chris..." She looked at him, not wanting to say the words but knowing he deserved to hear them.  "I'm married." 

End Notes:
well??
Chapter 9 by azchickadee

"Bullshit!" Chris exclaimed as he looked at Kristen--her words seeming to hang in the air between them.  "Now, who's lying?" He teased with a chuckle.  What else was he supposed to do with that?  The only reaction he had was to laugh.  He knew she couldn't be serious.  "Look," he said, still chuckling.  "If you don't want to go out, just say so.  I'm a big boy, I can handle it."

"I'm not lying." She replied softly as she stood there looking at him, her eyes meeting his. 

The smile slowly left his face and Chris felt his brows furrow in confusion as he stared at her.  He didn't want to believe the truth he was seeing in her eyes but the honesty behind her words and expression couldn't be denied.  He watched as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth--waiting for his reaction--and his heart dropped to the pit of his stomach.  Married?  He thought.  How could she be married?  She lived alone.  In a one bedroom apartment.  He'd been there!  His eyes dropped down to the hand that was still resting on his arm--her left hand--and noticed the obvious absence of a wedding ring.  "What do you mean, you're married?" He asked, finally finding his voice.   

"I--" she began, but the ding of the elevator as it stopped and the doors opened cut her off.  She dropped her hand from his arm as she looked at the people waiting to get on then back at him.  "I can't talk about this here." She whispered out of the side of her mouth before she took a step and walked out of the elevator. 

Chris stood there for a moment then quickly took off after her.  He wasn't about to let her go without an explanation.  After the spell she'd cast on him last weekend and all the time he'd spent consumed with thinking about her, it was the least she could do.  Kristen continued walking down the hospital corridor a step or two ahead of him and he let her do so--expecting her to stop and turn around at any moment.

But she didn't.

Finally, unable to stand it any longer, he hurried his step and reached out.  Grabbing a hold of her arm he stopped her.  Kristen turned quickly to look at him but he was busy looking around them to see her questioning expression.  Spotting what he was looking for, Chris pulled her into the nearest--and conveniently empty--room, ignoring her words of protest.  Kristen looked at him in shock as he shut the door and left her standing in front of the closed door--facing him.  He dropped her arm.

"Start talking." He said.  She stood there in silence, her brown eyes looking everywhere but at him.  Chris felt his frustration levels rising.  "You know..." he chuckled.  He looked down at the floor as he shook his head.  His hands fisted at his side.  I'm an idiot.  He thought.  Why did I think...

He looked back up at her and met her brown eyes with his.  "I spent all week last week trying to convince myself that what happened last weekend between us wasn't a fluke." He stepped towards her and she backed away from him-her back hitting the closed door.  He closed the distance between them and heard her breath catch as he stood, inches away from her.  "I was beginning to think..." he paused as he looked at her, his eyes running over her features-from her incredible eyes to her beautiful mouth.  He leaned forward slightly and she closed her eyes, her lips parting slightly in anticipation.  "Guess the joke's on me." He stated as he pulled back from her.  Her eyes shot open.  "And I guess I finally have my answer."

~~~~~~~~~

"Chris, wait." Kristen said, reaching out to him as he stepped away from her.  She swallowed--trying to push aside the butterflies that had swarmed inside of her when he had pressed her back against the door a moment ago-l-ooking like he had every intention on kissing her.  "Can we...can we not do this here?" She asked.  He sighed and looked down at the floor again, shaking his head.  "Okay, look." She said, a sense of panic enveloping her.  She didn't know why she'd just blurted out her marital status to him-aside from the guilt that had been eating her alive the last week-and she wished she could go back in time and stop herself from saying anything but, the cat was out of the bag now and he was waiting for an explanation.  She could see the hurt and confusion in his eyes and she wanted to do whatever she could to change that.  "Yes." She said, in exasperation.  "I'm married." She told.  "Technically."

"Technically?" He asked, raising one brow at her. 

She sighed.  "I came home one day and...found him in bed with my best friend." She told him, folding her arms across her chest and looking down at the floor.  "I've been trying for the last six months to divorce him but for some reason I don't understand he's fighting me on every request and dragging this whole process out to the point where I'm up to my eyeballs in debt because of the damn attorney fees and I can't get rid of the bastard!"  She exclaimed as she let out a growl of frustration.  She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to get control of her sudden emotional outburst.  She hadn't expected the anger to overwhelm her like it had.  "I'm sorry." She said shaking her head.  "I'm sorry."  She pulled all of the courage she could from within and braved looking up at him. She met his eyes but his expression was unreadable and she didn't know what was worse--having him look at her in hurt and confusion, or having him look at her with no emotion whatsoever in his eyes. 

"I dated, married and lived with a man for five years only to find out he'd been lying to me the whole time and I had no idea who he really was.  He cheated on me the entire time we were together and I have no idea why he even married me in the first place."  She took a step towards him, feeling a spark of hope when he didn't retreat but instead stayed where he was.  "Last weekend wasn't a fluke." She told him.  "At least...I hope it wasn't.  I didn't call you back not because I don't want to see you again but because I was mad at you for leaving like you did and also because you don't want to get mixed up in my crazy life right now."  He opened his mouth but Kristen hurried on before he could say anything.  "I can't guarantee or promise anything right now, Chris.  I'm in the middle of a very messy and expensive divorce and I have no idea how long it's going to be until it's final and I'm single again and able to be in a relationship with someone else.  I also don't want to be in another relationship where lies are told and secrets are kept and I have been feeling guilty all week about not telling you from the beginning that I was married and for doing exactly what my husband did.  I'm sorry." She apologized.  "It's just that...everything happened and I...I found myself forgetting all about the drama going on in my life and I ignored the fact that I shouldn't have done what I did."  She paused and a heavy silence fell between them. 

After waiting for him to say something Kristen took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and held out her hand to him.  "With that all being said," she began hesitantly.  "If the offer is still open and if you can accept the fact that we can only be friends for the time being..." she paused again.  Her heart was pounding and she wished he would give some indication as to what his thoughts were at the moment.  She didn't know if her outburst of honesty was helping or hindering whatever it was they had going on together.  "Then I would love to go to the game with you on Thursday." She smiled tremulously at him and waited for his answer.   

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris stood, looking at Kristen as she waited for his response.  Whatever it was he had been expecting her to say, what she'd just told him hadn't been it.  His earlier anger and frustration at her melted as she stood looking at him--the vulnerability in her eyes and the courage it must have taken to tell him all of that raising his opinion of her.  To be going through what she was currently going through and yet show no outward appearance of it?  That was pretty amazing.  She was pretty amazing.  His eyes dropped from her face to the hand she still held out to him--waiting for him to either take it and accept her conditions or walk away from her. 

It only took him a second to decide. 

Reaching out her took her hand and pulled her towards him.  She was clearly surprised by his actions and stiffened slightly as he wrapped his arms around her, hugging her close.  "I'm sorry." He said, the words muffled slightly as he turned his head slightly and spoke against her hair. 

Kristen relaxed in his arms and his heart skipped slightly as she leaned against him and put her arms around him, returning the hug.  She released what sounded like a sigh of relief and he tightened his arms slightly.  Though there had been an undeniable attraction and sexual tension between them from the moment they'd met the physical contact they were sharing now held none of that.  Sure, he was still insanely attracted to this woman and wanted nothing more than to shove her back against the wall and pick up where they'd left off last Saturday, but what was overriding his lustful thoughts and desires at the moment was his sudden overwhelming need to comfort her.  How long had it been since someone had just given her a hug?  Told her everything was going to be okay?  Offered a shoulder to cry on and a listening ear? 

He understood now the sadness and look of hopelessness he'd seen in her eyes in the parking lot that first day and wondered who this jackass was that was her husband.  How could anyone treat the person they were with like he had been treating Kristen?  He may be a confirmed bachelor, and dead set against ever getting married, but there was one thing Chris had always stood firm on: love the one you're with.  Completely and without reservation.  He didn't understand how people could cheat on their significant others.  He particularly didn't understand how anyone could cheat on the woman in his arms.  He'd only gotten a small taste of what being with her was like and it blew his mind that someone would feel the need and desire to look anywhere else for what she was willing to give. 

Kristen pulled back a moment later and looked at him.  "Thanks." She said with a small smile.  "I needed that." She said in reference to the hug he'd given her. 

Chris smiled.  "Anytime you need another one, let me know."

"Okay." She nodded.  "So, what time should I be ready on Thursday?" She asked.

"Well that depends." He replied.  "Do you want to do dinner before or after the game?"

"What time does it start?" She asked as she turned and opened the door. 

"Six." He answered as he followed her out of the room.   

"Why don't we eat after the game?" She said.  "That is...if you aren't completely embarrassed about being with me." She chuckled.

"Embarrassed?" He asked.  "Why the hell would I be embarrassed to be with you?"

"You haven't ever seen me at a sporting event." She told him as she tucked some hair behind her ear.  "None of my friends will go with me anymore." She confessed.   "I get a little carried away sometimes."

Chris laughed.  "You may end up being the one embarrassed Thursday night." He warned.  "There's a reason I seldom actually go to games anymore and watch them at home instead."  Kristen chuckled again and he grinned at her.  She stopped walking and he was surprised to realize they were back at the front reception/waiting area where they'd started a few hours ago.  "That's it?" He asked feeling disappointed.  "The tour's over?"

"Afraid so." She nodded.  "You've seen the entire hospital, Mr. Kirkpatrick." She told him as she clasped her hands in front of her.  "What did you think?"

"I think it's great." He told her, his eyes holding hers steadily.  She smiled.  "I'm glad I came."

"Me too." She replied with a nod of her head.  They stood there for a moment.  "Okay," she said, finally breaking the silence.  "I...should probably get back to work." She told him. 

"Right." He nodded. 

"But I'll see you on Thursday." She continued and he grinned.

"I'll pick you up at five." He told her and she nodded.  He then hesitantly turned and began walking towards the front doors.  Before leaving he looked over his shoulders and smiled when he found Kristen still standing where he'd left her.  She smiled at him and he turned back around--a definite spring to his step and a goofy grin plastered on his face.  He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt like this and he prayed Thursday would get here quickly.  He couldn't wait to see her again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen nervously checked her reflection in the mirror one last time as she waited for Chris to arrive Thursday night.  She ran her fingers through her hair and tugged on the jersey she was wearing over her white T-shirt.  She smiled.  "Hope he doesn't mind walking in with me wearing this." She laughed to herself as she turned and left the bathroom.  She walked into her room and was just putting on her favorite pair of tennis shoes when she heard a knock at her door.  Her heart leapt in her chest and began fluttering nervously as she finished tying her shoes and walked towards the front door. 

Ever since he'd left the hospital Monday morning Kristen hadn't been able to stop smiling and she had anxiously waited for this evening to come--sometimes fearing it wouldn't.  She hadn't expected to tell Chris everything she had, or expected him to react the way that he had.  She still got tingly remembering the hug he had given her and the way it had felt to have him hold her--to feel the sense of comfort she had gained from it.  She had been in his arms before but this time it had been different.  She knew he wasn't expecting anything from the contact and had given her the hug as a friend, which was something she desperately needed at the moment.  She had forgotten what this felt like--to have a guy actually be more interested in and concerned about her rather than himself.  Reaching the door she opened it and smiled when her eyes met his.  Her heart which had been beating steadily since he'd knocked seemed to double its pace when he grinned back at her, his brown eyes sparkling.  He groaned when his eyes left hers and he noticed the Chicago Bulls jersey she was wearing. 

"You just had to, didn't you?" He asked as she opened the door wider and he took a step inside the apartment. 

Kristen laughed as she walked over to the kitchen table to grab her purse and her keys.  "Of course!" She exclaimed.  "You really didn't expect anything less, did you?" She teased as she turned to face him again.  Damn he looked good!  She took a moment to take him in.  A comfortable looking pair of worn jeans, a simple white T-shirt underneath the unbuttoned, blue plaid shirt, the couple of silver chain necklaces and the ever present earrings he wore, his dark hair spiked and gelled to perfection.  She had to stop herself from sighing in appreciation.  She'd never thought of herself as being the kind of girl who was attracted to the "bad boy/rocker" type but here she stood--three feet away from one very sexy "bad boy" and she was about two seconds away from forgetting about the game and the condition she'd given him that they could only be friends for the time being. 

"You ready?" He asked.

You have no idea. Kristen groaned at his innocently posed question.  Her stomach quivered as he looked at her-as suspicious gleam in his eyes as if he knew where her thoughts were.  A smile played at the corners of his mouth as he watched her and Kristen felt a blush creep across her cheeks.  She cleared her throat and slung her purse over her shoulder.  "Ready." She smiled.  He turned and held his arm out towards the still open front door.  Kristen walked outside, waited for him to join her on the front step then closed the door and locked it.  They walked down the stairs--Chris asking her how her day had gone and Kristen filling him in on all the stupid and mundane tasks she'd done all day until they got to the parking lot.

"Are you kidding me?" Kristen asked as Chris continued walking towards the sleek silver and black Harley Davidson sitting where she had expected his Escalade to be.

"What?" He asked turning to look at her in question. 

A motorcycle?!  Is he doing this on purpose?  She wondered.  "Where's your car?" She asked him as he picked up the helmet that had been sitting on the seat. 

"This girl ran into it in the parking lot at the grocery store a few weeks ago." He replied evenly as he held the helmet out to her.  "I'm stuck with this while it's in the shop."  He looked at her straight faced but she could see the mischievous sparkle in his eyes and couldn't help from smiling.

"That's a lie." She stated as she walked towards him.  She laughed.  "I know you have at least one other car.  I've ridden in it, remember?"  He shrugged as a smile finally spread across his face.  Kristen stood--just looking at him for a moment--then with a sigh and a roll of her eyes she lifted the strap of her purse over her head so it was now resting across her chest and took the helmet from him.  Chris winked at her as he moved to straddle the Harley.  "You're making this very difficult." She muttered under her breath as he brought the bike to life. 

"What was that?" He asked her, speaking loudly above the noise of the motorcycle. 

"Nothing." Kristen shook her head as she put on the helmet he'd given her.

"Hop on." He said, gesturing with his head towards the small spot behind him where she was supposed to sit.  Kristen's heart fluttered in her chest as she did as he requested-her arms instinctively sliding around his waist as he walked the bike backwards out of the parking spot.  I've died.  She thought as she moved closer to him.  She let out a little laugh and clutched onto him tighter as they took off-leaving the parking lot of her apartment complex behind and moving down the street.  I've died and gone to heaven.               

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Did you see that last play?" Kristen exclaimed as they left the Amway Arena.  "Did you see it?!"

"Yeah, I saw it." Chris grumbled good-naturedly.  He looked over at her.  "You can stop gloating now."

"No, I don't think I can." Kristen replied with a laugh.  "That was amazing!  Double overtime, five seconds to go and Rose shot that last three-pointer right at the buzzer! That deserves at least another good ten minutes of gloating." She giggled.

Chris rolled his eyes as he shifted the helmet he was holding to his other hand and slung his arm around her shoulders--pulling her close.  She looked up at him with a huge smile on her face--her brown eyes sparkling excitedly--and he laughed.  "Okay, you can gloat." He relented.  "I admit it; it was a pretty amazing play."

"Yes!" Kristen exclaimed as she spun away from him and did a little victory dance around him. 

He laughed as she began walking next to him again.  "I need to bring you to all the games I go to." He stated.  "You're fun."

"I'd be okay with that." She replied as she tucked some of her hair behind her ears.  "But you haven't really seen me at my best.  Wait till football season starts." She giggled again and he couldn't help thinking how beautiful she was or how much he just wanted to grab her and kiss her soundly--put this good mood she was in to much better use...

Without thinking he reached over and grabbed her hand as they continued walking across the courtyard and towards the parking garage.  Half of him argued he had done it so they wouldn't get separated in the crowd that was exiting the arena, but the other half knew he'd been dying to hold her hand all night and had finally run out of excuses not to.  Kristen smiled as she slipped her fingers between his and he got that same fluttery feeling inside that he'd gotten when she'd slid behind him on his bike and wound her arms around him. 

Since her confessions to him a few days ago Chris had had to be completely honest with himself and decide if he could do this.  Could he begin something with Kristen knowing how complicated things could get?  Did he want to get involved with someone who was still in the middle of ending their previous relationship--a marriage, no less--and there was apparently no end date in sight?  Could he handle being "just friends" with her as she'd requested until everything was finalized?  Kristen gave his hand a slight squeeze as they crossed the street. 

Yes.  He thought as he squeezed back. He knew it had the potential of getting messy but he also knew it was worth it.  He had expected to feel scared--terrified even--at the thought of getting into a relationship again but instead all he felt was a nervous sense of excitement.          

"Where are you taking me for dinner?" She asked, pulling him from his thoughts as she looked at him expectantly. 

He smiled.  "Have you ever been to Bar Louie?" He asked.  She shook her head.  "It's great.  It's one of my favorite places to go.  I hope you're hungry."

"Starving." She replied. 

"Good." He nodded.  "I was hoping all that gloating hadn't ruined your appetite." He teased.  She laughed as she pushed him with her shoulder. 

"Gloating just makes me hungrier." She told him.  "Don't you worry."

Chris chuckled as they entered the parking garage and walked towards where he'd parked the bike.  They both got on again and he smiled as Kristen's arms once more slid around his waist.  He felt her press up against his back and tried to ignore the shiver the skirted down his spine.  It was no use though, there was no denying the affect she had on him--or the way his body reacted to her touch.  "Hang on." He told her unnecessarily as he pulled forward on the bike.  Kristen's hold on him tightened and his smile increased.  They finally got through all the traffic in the parking garage and he took off down the street, secretly glad she'd never been to the restaurant he was taking her to.  She'd never know he was purposefully taking the long way there-selfishly wanting to feel her arms wrapped around him for as long as possible.  He wasn't sure what her "just friends" rule included as far as physical contact so he was playing it by ear, taking his hints from her and following her lead.  He wasn't going to push her for anything.  However, he was still a guy and as such, was going to take advantage of whatever he could.  Ten extra minutes as they drove across town wasn't much, but it was all he had at the moment and he was going to take it.   

~~~~~~~~~~

"So tell me," Kristen said as she took a bite of the chicken club sandwich she'd ordered.  She leaned across the table towards Chris.  "What's something I should know about you?" She asked as she took a sip of her Diet Coke.

He sat for a minute looking at her then leaned over the table as well.  "Okay," he said, lowering his voice and looking around nervously at the people sitting at the tables surrounding them.  "You have to promise not to tell anyone but..." he paused dramatically and Kristen found herself leaning closer towards him-expecting him to reveal some deep, dark secret that nobody knew about him.  "I'm chronically immature." He whispered.

Kristen laughed as she sat back against the booth.  She rolled her eyes.  "I meant something I should know that I don't already know about you." She said, playfully throwing her napkin across the table at him.

He chuckled as he dodged the flying napkin then wrapped his hand around the glass sitting in front of him and brought it up to his lips-taking a sip of the Coke he'd ordered.  "Oh, something you don't know." He replied.  "I'm sorry." He teased.  "I must have heard you wrong.  Okay.  Uhm..." He placed the glass back on the table and Kristen waited, folding her arms and leaning her elbows on the table.  He took a bite out of one of the tacos he'd ordered.  "Well..." he said as he chewed.  "I don't know what you tell you." He confessed.  "I've been pretty open about who I am and my life since the group started way back when and everyone in the entire world suddenly became insanely curious about every little think about me.  I don't really have any skeletons in my closet if that's what you're looking for." He looked at her with a shrug.  "I like to party and have a good time.  I don't like being alone.  I've traveled around the world more times than I can count.  When given the choice I will nine times out of ten choose to watch a cartoon over anything else.  I spent ten years in a boy band and I'm in the middle of putting together another one as someone was so quick to point out to me a week ago." He gave her a pointed look and Kristen chuckled.  He leaned back against the booth and looked at her.  "I grew up with basically nothing and now have everything I could ever want.  My favorite sports teams are the Steelers and the Penguins.  Music is my life and passion.  I have two dogs.  I'm afraid of heights and I'm a recovering alcoholic."  He paused.  "Anything else you want to know?" He asked.  Kristen shook her head.  "I've got a question for you then." He said. 

"Okay." She smiled.

"How did you get into Public Relations?" He questioned, taking another bite and finishing off one of the three tacos on his plate.

"I love talking to people." She told him.  "And getting involved with a good cause.  I interned with a few non-profits around town but I was drawn to the hospital and did what I could to make sure I got a job there when I graduated.  I love being around and interacting with the kids.  They are so amazing and are such examples on how to have a positive attitude through all the crap that life throws at you.  It's bad enough when adults get cancer or have to deal with debilitating and chronic diseases but to see a child have to go through it is a hundred times worse.  The research that's being done nowadays is amazing but it's not enough, you know?" She questioned and he nodded.  "Nobody should have cancer but especially not a child.  So that's why I do what I do.  I want to make sure that people are made aware of the fact that there is still so much more research that needs to be done in order to cure these diseases."

"Why didn't you just become a doctor or something?" He asked, watching her closely.  "Then you could have been the one doing the research and making sure it got done."

"I couldn't do it." She shook her head.

"Sure you could have." He countered.  "You're intelligent and passionate about it.  Medical school would be a piece of cake for you."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." Kristen smiled.  "But I can't." She shook her head.  "I'm afraid of needles and the sight of blood makes me pass out." She confessed.

Chris laughed.  "Yeah, not so good." He shook his head. 

"No." Kristen agreed with a chuckle.  "I didn't think so either.  So, I just do what I can do with trying to raise funds and awareness."  She took another sip of her Diet Coke.  "Plus, I really like planning and putting together the fund raising events we have." She smiled.

"If you ever decide to change jobs, let me know." He said.  "You could come work with my foundation or if you ever want to just focus on the events part I could put you in touch with an amazing events planner in LA." He smiled.

"I'll keep that in mind." Kristen chuckled.  "Should I ask how you know an events planner in LA?" She questioned.

"That's what JC's wife, Rachel, does." Chris explained. 

"Ah." Kristen nodded.  "Well, like I said, I'll keep it in mind but for right now I'm happy where I am." She smiled. A comfortable silence fell between them as they continued eating.  "So, about the concert we're putting together..." Kristen drawled and Chris looked up at her.  "What are the chances you and your new group would be willing to sign up as one of the acts?" She looked at him expectantly, hoping he'd say yes.  Otherwise it would be kind of embarrassing to go back to everyone and tell them she'd lied about Chris signing up. 

"They might be pretty good." He nodded with a smile on his face.  "But there's actually something else I wanted to talk to you about along that same line." Kristen looked at him in question and he continued.  "Do you remember the charity basketball games that the guys and I did back in the day?" He asked her. 

"Yeah." Kristen nodded.

"Well, I've been thinking about getting everyone back together and doing it again."

"Really?" She asked.  "That's great!  I know you guys were always able to raise a lot of money with those games for the charities you supported."

"Yeah." He nodded.  "If we do it, I want the hospital to be the one that gets the majority of the funds."

"Really?" Kristen asked, looking at him in shock.  "I...that would be...that would be great!" She exclaimed. 

"So would you be willing to work with me on getting it all set up and put together?" He asked.  "I don't know a whole lot about what goes into planning something like that." He admitted.  "We did it for what...five or six years but I never really paid attention to all the behind the scenes stuff." 

"Of course!" She nodded. 

"I don't know what all the legalities would be, but we can talk to whoever we need to talk to about getting everything ironed out legally and I figure if we pool our resources in regards to contacts and sponsors we could put together a kickass event."  He stated. 

And blow Kyle and Mark's stupid baseball game right out of the water!  Kristen thought, but kept it to herself.  She laughed.  "I can talk to Michael tomorrow and see what he thinks and let you know what he says." She replied. 

"Great." He nodded.  "Then I can talk to the rest of the guys about it."

"You haven't talked to them about it?" She asked, some of her initial enthusiasm wearing off.  If he hadn't talked to them yet there was no guarantee that this would even get off the ground. 

"I talked to Joey and JC last weekend and they were both in.  Justin's the one I'm worried about but I think I can get his wife to help me convince him and I'm not worried about Lance.  He'll do it." Chris replied confidently. 

As they finished eating, they continued talking about what would need to happen to get this project started.  They exchanged ideas and Chris filled her in on all the activities that had been a part of the events in the past.  Kristen began to worry that this might turn out to be bigger than she originally thought and wasn't entirely sure she had the knowledge and skill base necessary to pull it off, but the look in Chris' eyes kept her from voicing her concerns.  He was so keyed up over this and she didn't want to ruin his excitement.  She was just going to have to take it one day at a time and do the best she could and with any luck they'd be able to put together the "kickass event" that he wanted.

End Notes:
remember to review  :)  it keeps me motivated...
Chapter 10 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

enjoy!  :)

"Marketing, this is Kristen." Kristen picked up the phone as it rang Friday morning.  She'd been keeping an eye and an ear out for Michael since she'd arrived, wanting to talk to him about Chris' idea about he and the guys doing another basketball game, but he hadn't gotten in yet. 

"Hi, this is Shelby at the front reception desk." The unfamiliar female voice said over the line. 

"Hi, Shelby." Kristen greeted her.  "What can I do for you?"

"You have a visitor." Shelby informed Kristen.  "I wasn't sure if you wanted me to send them back to the offices or if you wanted to come out here."

"A visitor?" Kristen asked.  "Who..." she paused, wondering who it could be.  Her heart flipped when she thought about Chris.  Could he have decided to just drop by the hospital again to see her?  They had talked for almost two hours over dinner last night, though she couldn't remember anything they'd talked about except for his basketball plans.  Their conversation had been silly and inconsequential but it made Kristen smile.  She loved the fact that she could spend time with a guy and completely lose track of time talking about stupid stuff.  She'd never been able to talk to Kevin about the pros and cons of pirates versus ninjas--and which would win in a battle--or whether Honey Smacks or Lucky Charms were the best cereal ever made.  Chris made her laugh.  He made her forget about all the stress involving her divorce and he made her feel like she was the most interesting person he had ever talked to, even though she knew she wasn't.  How could she be?  He had met and talked with people all over the world.  There was no way that she was the most interesting, but that didn't stop her from smiling. 

"Kristen?" Shelby questioned at Kristen's prolonged silence.

"Yes?" Kristen answered absently--a goofy grin on her face as she continued to think about the man accidently run into a few weeks ago and who was slowly but surely beginning to bring her out of the funk she'd been in the last six months. 

"Did you want me to send--" Shelby began, but Kristen cut her off.

"Oh!  I'm sorry.  Uhm..." Kristen ran her fingers through her hair.  "No, I'll come out.  Tell him I'll be there in a minute." She said then quickly hung up--not giving Shelby time to answer.  Reaching into the bottom drawer of her desk Kristen pulled out her purse.  Setting the bag on her lap she rummaged through it searching for her chap stick.  Pulling out the small tube she applied a generous layer to her lips, returned her purse to the drawer and left her office.  Had she grabbed her cell phone before leaving she would have received the text that Chris sent her, realized that he was not the one waiting for her in the waiting room, and might have been more prepared for who it was that had come to see her.    

Kristen pulled up short, her smile falling as she entered the front reception area.  "Andrea?" She asked as the redhead stood and took a step towards her.  "Wha--" she looked at the woman who stood in front of her.  The woman that up until six months ago had been one of her closest friends.  The woman who had been her roommate the first two years of college.  The woman who had slept with her husband.

She hadn't seen or spoken to Andrea since this whole nightmare that had become her life had started. She had gone through almost every emotion imaginable from grief to anger to betrayal to resentment to feelings of inadequacy and wondering what it was she could have done better.  She had slowly come to the point of realizing that even though this was a life lesson she hadn't ever wanted to learn, she was glad it had happened.  She didn't know how long she would have gone on looking like an idiot--playing the part of the devoted wife--while Kevin continued to work his way through every woman, it seemed, in the country.   She never thought about what she would do if she ever saw Andrea again. 

The thought of running into "the other woman" had been too much for Kristen to contemplate, so she didn't have a plan on what she was going to say or what she was going to do.  Naively she assumed that she would be angry--livid, even--and was tempted to turn and tell Shelby to have security on standby but as she stood there looking at the woman she had once known, but who now seemed like nothing more than a stranger, Kristen was perplexed. The anger was there, to be sure-and she would like nothing more than to give Andrea a black eye at the moment--but overshadowing the anger was a sense of gratitude for the woman.  Without her incredible act of betrayal, Kristen might have gone years before finally coming to her senses and finding out what her husband was up to. 

"What are you doing here?" Kristen finally asked, breaking the tense and awkward silence between them. 

"I wanted to..." Andrea hesitated.  Kristen saw the fear and trepidation in the other woman's green eyes.  "I wanted to apologize." Andrea finally said, looking back up at Kristen.  She reached up and tucked some of her hair behind her ear.  "I know, it probably sounds trite, but...I feel awful about everything that's happened and I..." she paused again.  "I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am.  For what I did."

Kristen lifted one brow as she looked at Andrea in disbelief.  "You wanted to apologize?" She asked incredulously.  "Couldn't you have just sent a text?" She asked.  "Or an email?" Kristen's voice rose in volume as her irritation and anger quickly overshadowed any gratitude she may have felt for Andrea.  "Why did you come to my work--in the middle of the day--to apologize to me about sleeping with my husband?!" She exclaimed.  The few other people sitting in the waiting room looked up in interest.  The soap opera playing on the television set up in the corner was forgotten in the face of this real-life drama unfolding.  Kristen felt her cheeks warm slightly in humiliation and embarrassment, and clenched her jaw tightly as she fought to control her anger.  She folded her arms across her chest to keep herself from reaching out and slapping Andrea. 

"It's hard to express emotion through an email." Andrea replied.  "And a text...look, can we take this somewhere a little more private?" She asked, looking around at all the people watching them closely. 

"I'm working, Andrea." Kristen replied in irritation.  "Hence the reason you're here at the hospital right now."  She threw up her arms in exasperation.  "I can't believe you came here to interrupt my work day to apologize to me and now you want me to take time off of work so we can go somewhere more private to talk!  I mean, really?  Are you kidding me?  Did you even think this plan through, or did you just wake up this morning and decide to do it like you decided to do my husband?" Out of the corner of her eye Kristen saw two elderly women lean over and begin whispering excitedly to each other-no doubt about what Kristen had just said.  "You know, that's always been your problem, Andrea.  You never think things through.  You just do whatever the hell you want to do-screw the consequences.  This is great!" She exclaimed sarcastically.  "First you ruined my marriage, and now you've ruined my job.  Now all these people know about the shambles my life is in right now and are whispering to each other about how crazy I am!" She put her arms out to indicate the audience they had.

"We don't think you're crazy." One of the white-haired women spoke up from her chair.  Her companion shook her head in agreement.  "Don't stop because of us!  You go right on ahead and let her have it." She continued, cheering Kristen on.

"I can't believe you came here like this." Kristen hissed as she turned back to Andrea.  The two little, old ladies leaned forward slightly in their chairs as Kristen lowered her voice.   "It's not bad enough I have to see and deal with Kevin this afternoon but you had to come in and ruin my morning as well?"  Kristen shook her head.  "I don't want to see you or talk to you again.  We're through.  You did what you did and it's over now.  You made your choice and now you're going to have to live with the consequences like I am." She turned to leave.

"Kris--"

"Why?" Kristen asked, turning around to face Andrea once again.  The other woman took a step back at the look of fury on Kristen's face.  "Why?  That's the question I've been asking myself for the last six months.  Why did you do it?  Why did you sleep with him?"

Andrea sighed as she looked down at the floor again.  Well, at least she has the decency to at least appear to be contrite. Kristen scoffed internally-she'd give her points for that.  "I don't know." Andrea finally answered.

"You don't know?" Kristen replied.  "You don't know?!  What the hell do you mean, you don't know?!" She practically screamed.  The rational part of her brain knew she was going to regret this-that this whole incident was going to be reported to the powers that be and she was going to get reprimanded for allowing her personal life to affect her professional life but right now she didn't care.  Right now the rational part of her brain was being beat into submission by the irrational side--the side that was out for blood.  "How do you justify sleeping with someone else's husband?  How does that become something that is okay to do?  I don't understand."

"Kevin is--"

"I don't want to hear what Kevin is." Kristen cut her off.  "I want to know about you." She said folding her arms across her chest again.  "I know what Kevin is but I didn't know what you were.  How could you?"  She asked.  "How could you do this to me?"

Andrea sighed. "I didn't just wake up one day and think to myself, ‘oh, I think I'll go sleep with Kevin today.'  That's not how it happened." She shook her head.  "Other things led up to it."

"Other things?" Kristen questioned.  "What other things?"

"He found me online last year." Andrea replied.  "He friended me on Facebook and we...we chatted and emailed back a forth for a few months."

"This is why I've told my granddaughter not to put her information on the internet." Came the whispered comment from the two women keeping a close eye on Kristen and Andrea.

"Facebook?" Kristen asked.  Andrea nodded.  "How do a few chats and some emails add up to you jumping into bed together?"

"The emails led to some phone calls." Andrea continued--unable to meet her eyes anymore.  Kristen could see the stain of embarrassment on the woman's face as she was being forced to admit all of this in front of an audience and Kristen felt a smug sense of satisfaction in seeing this.  For all the hell that she was being put through because of her, Andrea deserved to feel a sense of humiliation for what she had done.  "We talked." Andrea said.  "Sometimes for hours.  I thought...I thought he just needed a friend.  He sounded so depressed some days but by the end of our conversations he was always laughing.  I thought I was helping."

"Helping?" Kristen replied in disbelief.  "Don't you think ‘helping' would have been letting me know if you thought my husband was depressed?"

"He told me you guys were having problems." She confessed.  "And I thought--"

"You thought that the way to help us get through our problems was for you to have lengthy phone calls with my husband?" Kristen questioned.  "How the hell does that make sense?"

"I didn't say any of this makes sense." Andrea countered as she growled in frustration as she pushed a hand through her hair.  "Look, Kristen.  I came here wanting to apologize.  I realize now that what I did was wrong.  I never should have let it go as far as it did and I'm sorry."

"Why now?" Kristen countered.  "Why are you coming here and telling me this now?  It's been six months, Andrea!" She exclaimed.  "Why are you just now coming to the realization that what you did was wrong?"  Andrea didn't reply right away and Kristen watched her closely--realization dawning.  "He's moved on, hasn't he?" She asked.  Andrea's eyes dropped giving Kristen her answer.  She chuckled bitterly.  "That's what happened, isn't it?" She questioned.  "He's moved on to someone else and now you're all alone and the guilt and regret is eating you up inside, isn't it?" She moved a step closer to Andrea.  "He left and you realized that whatever he told you--whatever he made you believe--wasn't true.  He's gone and now you're alone again.  How does it feel?" She asked.  "How does it feel to find out you've been played by a master manipulator?  How does it feel to know you've lost a friend forever because you were too stupid to realize that what you were doing was wrong?"

"Kristen, I--"

"We're through, Andrea." Kristen stated firmly.  "I never want to see you again, or speak to you.  While part of me is glad that this whole situation has forced me to see Kevin's true character, I don't know if I can ever forgive you for your part in it."  She turned to leave.  "And if you don't leave in the next two minutes, I'm going to call security and have you escorted out." With that she squared her shoulders and continued walked away--the applause coming from her elderly cheerleaders following her as she turned the corner towards her office.

Once out of sight and earshot of the patients sitting in the waiting room, Kristen stopped and leaned heavily against the wall beside her.  Her hands were shaking and her knees felt like jell-o.  She closed her eyes and took several deep breaths as she tried to calm her racing heart and the anger still coursing through her.  She couldn't believe that Andrea had just shown up like she had and tried to apologize for what she'd done. 

Apologize! Kristen fumed as she straightened and continued down the hall towards her office.  As if a few simple words would fix everything that's gone wrong in my life!  Walking back into her office, Kristen sat down heavily in her chair, put her elbows up on the desk and scrubbed her hands over her face.  She lowered her hands as she blew out a breath--hating the fact that she was beginning to feel guilty about how she had just acted and treated Andrea.  Kristen had never been one that was confrontational or nasty to people and the little angel on her shoulder was pricking her conscience--reminding her about how mean she had just been to the woman. 

"Damn it!" She muttered.  "I should not be feeling guilty about all of this!" She exclaimed-talking aloud to no one but herself.  "She's the one who-oooh!" She growled, leaning back in her chair.  "Damn it, Kevin, why?" She questioned.  "Why did you--"

"Kristen?"

Kristen gasped in surprise and turned quickly in her chair as Amie suddenly appeared, standing in the doorway.  "Amie!" She exclaimed.  "I was just...talking...to myself..." she stammered. 

Amie grinned as she folded her arms and leaned against the door jam.  "Sounds like you were cursing someone." She remarked.  "And if it's who I think it is that you're cursing, I want in!"  Kristen sighed as she swiveled around in her chair.  "Was, uh..." Amie paused and Kristen looked over at her friend.  "I hate to ask, but was that who I thought it was out front?" She asked gesturing with her thumb over her shoulder.  Kristen nodded.  Amie came and sat down on the corner of the desk.  "Interesting turn of events this morning."  She remarked.  "How did it go?" She asked.

"Did you not just hear me cursing in here?" Kristen asked with a chuckle.  Amie smiled. "She came to apologize." Kristen replied with a roll of her eyes as she looked down at her hands in her lap. 

"Apologize?" Amie asked.  "Seriously?"  Kristen nodded.  "Bitch." Amie remarked.  "Why did she come to apologize?"

"Because apparently," Kristen sat up in her chair.  "Kevin has moved on already and she's realized what she's done and what it's cost her."

"What did you do?" Amie questioned.  "Or do I not want to know?" She teased.

Kristen chuckled.  "I listened."  She bobbed her head back in forth in thought.  "Mostly." She admitted with a roll of her eyes.  "Then I got angry and told her that I never wanted to see or speak to her again and told her if she didn't leave I was going to have security escort her out."

"Good for you!" Amie exclaimed. 

"Yeah?" Kristen questioned as she looked up at the other girl.

"Yeah." Amie nodded.  "I bet it felt good to say that to her."

"For a second." Kristen agreed.

"But?" Amie questioned, sensing Kristen's hesitancy. 

"But now I feel guilty about being so mean to her!" Kristen replied as she folded her arms across the top of her desk and buried her face.  "Why do I feel guilty about being mean to the woman who slept with my husband?" She asked, her words muffled as she spoke.

"Because you're too nice a person." Amie replied.  "It's okay to be angry, Kris." She continued.  "It's okay to yell and scream and cry about what's happened.  Don't feel guilty about anything, okay?  Nothing that's happened is your fault and you don't have anything to feel guilty about."

Kristen nodded as she took a deep breath.  "I know." She said.  "I know."  Amie leaned down and put her arms around Kristen's shoulders.  Kristen returned the hug and silence fell between them for a moment as Amie sat back on the desk, until Kristen's cell phone vibrated.  She picked it up and groaned. 

"What?" Amie asked as she tucked some of her short, dark hair behind her ears.  

Kristen shook her head as she hit the button to ignore the calendar reminder that had popped up.  She had an hour before she had to be across town in order to meet with Kevin and their lawyers.  "I'm meeting with Kevin this afternoon." She replied.

"Can you cancel?" Amie asked.

"I just want this to be over, Ames." Kristen sighed.  "I'm so sick of this." She sniffed as a sudden prickling of tears caught her off guard.  "If I cancel it's just going to prolong it even more and I don't want to do that.  Why can't he just let go?" She asked-voicing the question she didn't have an answer to. 

"I don't know." Amie replied, putting her hand on Kristen's shoulder.  "I wish I had the answer you're looking for but I don't."

"It's okay." Kristen replied. "I know you don't know the answer anymore than I do.  I just..." she sighed.  "I just want to be able to move on with my life."

"Speaking of that..." Amie drawled.  "How're things going with Mr. Former Boyband?"

Kristen could help the giggle that escpaed at the thought of Chris. Instantly the anger and frustration she had been feeling dissolved.  "We went out last night." She stated.  Amie made a noise of interest and Kristen smiled, feeling her cheeks warm slightly as she thought about last night's game and dinner last night--not to mention riding on the back of the motorcycle with one of the sexiest men she'd ever met.  Kristen giggled.  Amie begged for the details and Kristen gave them to her.

"I'm so jealous!" Amie exclaimed.  "You get all the luck!" She laughed.

"Oh yeah," Kristen replied with a roll of her eyes.  "I have all the luck--hence the reason I have women who've slept with my husband coming to see me at work to apologize and almost weekly meetings with my divorce lawyer."

"But look what you've gotten out of the deal." Amie replied with a mischievous sparkle in her blue eyes.  "A hot, famous musician who likes the same crazy shit that you do!" She laughed.  "I say, do whatever the hell you have to do to get rid of slimeball Kevin so you can focus on Chris.  The best thing you can do is show Kevin you don't need him-that you're moving on without a second thought about him.  Give him back what he's been given, you know?"

Kristen nodded.  "I know." She replied.  "It's just...easier said than done sometimes.  I mean, I can be strong and independent here with you but as soon as I step into that conference room and he's sitting across the table from me it's like I forget who I am and I have a hard time putting my thoughts together.  As soon as I leave I can think of a million and a half comebacks to the comments he makes but in there?" She shook her head.  "Nothing.  I wish...I wish I could just really tell him off." She stated.  "I wish I could just walk away from all of this but I can't.  I want what's mine and he's going to give it to me, if it's the last thing I do."

"Atta, girl!" Amie cheered.  "Make him pay."   

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Four hours later, Kristen found herself wandering aimlessly up and down the aisles of the grocery story.  The same grocery store where she'd first run into Chris two weeks ago.  The thought had briefly crossed her mind that there was the ever-so-slight possibility that they might run into each other again, but she quickly dismissed it.  She'd gotten a random text from him earlier that morning asking how her morning was going, but he hadn't responded to her reply.  Even though she was disappointed, she reminded herself that he was busy trying to get his new group put together, and had lost track of the time.  She had wanted to call him after her run-in with Andrea and subsequent pep talk by Amie but she had had to focus on finishing a few important tasks before leaving early for her meeting with Kevin.  Whatever pep Amie had talked her into was now long gone and Kristen wanted nothing more than to just go home, crawl into bed and not come out again until Monday morning. 

She continued to walk through the store--running on autopilot.  Items somehow appearing in the basket she was pushing around though she really wasn't paying attention to what she was picking out.  Her ears suddenly tuned in to the song playing overhead and she felt a smile come to her face as a familiar voice mad her heart skip a beat and her stomach quiver slightly. 

Lying in your arms

So close together

Didn't know just what I had.

Now I toss and turn,

Cause I'm without you

How I'm missing you so bad.

 

Where was my head?

Where was my heart?

Now I cry alone in the dark.

 

I lie awake,

I drive myself crazy.

Drive myself crazy,

Thinking of you.

Made a mistake

When I let you go baby,

I drive myself crazy

Wanting you the way that I do.

She didn't realize she had begun singing along softly until someone passing her in the chip aisle gave her a funny look--which only made her sing a little louder.  The guy chuckled as he turned the corner and disappeared down the next aisle but Kristen kept singing as she turned the opposite direction and began making her way down the freezer aisle.  She continued singing along with the radio as she stopped a few feet in, opened the door in front of her, quickly grabbed a box of blueberry waffles and put them in her basket. 

Moving down the aisle she made her way towards the frozen dinners, not at all sure what she was going to make tonight.  The last thing she wanted to do was to cook anything and she was hoping she could find something that would be quick and easy, as well as at least semi-nutritious.  She stood for a moment in deep concentration, staring at the choices in front of her, for what seemed like forever. 

"How hard is it to make a decision, Kristen?" She asked herself as she put her hands on her hips.  "Chicken nuggets with corn and that stupid brownie that's either over cooked and chewy or still doughy and burns your flippin' tongue off, or fish sticks?"  A couple of teenagers passed her by, giving her a wary look and she laughed.  "Yes, that's right.  I sing along with the radio at the grocery store and talk to myself about what I want for dinner.  You got a problem with that?" She asked them.  The kids snapped their head forward and quickly walked down the aisle away from her as if they were scared she was going to start throwing things or something else crazy.  "Screw it." She said pushing her cart further down the aisle.  "I want ice cream for dinner."

~~~~~~~~~

Chris chuckled quietly to himself as he watched Kristen--listening to her scare the couple of kids that had dared to give her a weird look a moment ago.  He had swung in here on his way back from golfing with a couple of friends to pick up a few groceries.  He had intended it to be a quick stop--the sound of his own voice greeting him as he'd walked in convincing himself this was going to be a very quick stop-until he'd heard someone begin to sing along to his old song.  Curious, he had grabbed the bag of dog food he needed--slinging it up over one shoulder-and cocked his head to one side, following the sound of the woman's singing around to the next aisle.  He had stopped when he recognized the backside he was looking at.  Damn, she was hot.  It had been less than twenty-four hours since they'd seen each other but it suddenly felt like it had been a year at least.  He suddenly felt bad for ignoring her text from earlier, even though he hadn't meant to ignore it.  He had thought his phone was in his pocket.  Turned out it had slipped out when he'd gotten out of his car at the club house and he hadn't gotten her reply text from that morning until about twenty minutes ago.  He was going to respond and then had just decided to wait until he got home to call her and see what she was doing tonight and if she wanted to come over.  Now he didn't have to. 

He smiled as he followed her as indiscreetly as possible down the chip aisle--nodding in approval as she grabbed a bag of Cheetos and placed them in her cart as she continued singing along as Justin took over and sang his verse.  He pulled back slightly, hiding behind the end of the aisle as she stopped sooner than he had expected to grab some frozen waffles.  Then stood in front of the selection of pizza that the store offered as she debated with herself over what she wanted for dinner.  He had to bite his tongue to keep his laughter from giving him away but she was just so damn adorable he didn't know how much longer he could keep away from her.  When she finally huffed--vocally declaring that she was going to have ice cream for dinner-and pushed her cart towards the end of the row of freezers, Chris gave up.  He walked towards her. 

"You don't really strike me as a vanilla kind of girl." He said in reference to the box she was picking up as he lowered the bag of dog food he was carrying into her cart.  Kristen screamed out in surprise--the freezer door banging shut as she let go of the handle and looked at him wide-eyed. 

"What the hell are you doing here?!" She exclaimed, placing her hand over her chest in an effort--he assumed--to calm her now racing heart. 

He grinned as he placed his hands on the edge of the cart and leaned towards her.  "Came in to grab some dog food and beer, and found this cute little thing singing along with one of my songs playing on the radio and talking to herself."  Kristen smiled as she stood looking at him.  "I just had to introduce myself and see if she was busy tonight." He continued.  He watched as she tried to force a straight face and act the part of the uninterested stranger. 

"Well, that depends." She replied. 

"On what?" He questioned, leaning closer to her-wanting to kiss her. 

"On what you're offering." She quipped.  She put her hands on her hips.  "Whatever you got has to be better than the night I have planned." She replied, gesturing at her cart of mostly junk food. 

"I can rock your world." He replied confidently.

"Oh, I know you can." She replied under her breath with what sounded like a sigh of longing. 

Chris felt a smirk slide across his face.  "What was that?" He asked, though he'd heard her loud and clear. 

"Nothing." She replied, composing herself once again. 

He chuckled. "Come on." He said, walking towards her and taking control of the cart.  He began walking towards the front of the store.

"Where do you think you're going?"  She asked.  "I still want ice cream." She insisted, standing where he'd left her.

Chris turned around and looked at her.  "Forgive me, your majesty." He apologized and she laughed.  "I think I'm out actually, so I should probably get some more if you're coming over."

"Am I coming over?" She asked, looking at him in question.

"I thought we had this settled." He replied.

"I remember you mentioning something but I don't recall you actually asking me..." She trailed off and Chris narrowed his eyes as he looked at her. 

"Do you want to come over?" He asked.

"Yes." She replied with a happy smile.

"Good." He chuckled.  "But I don't allow vanilla ice cream in my house." He stated as he turned the cart around.

"Why not?" She asked with a laugh as he walked back to her.

"I'm morally opposed to it." He replied evenly, making her laugh even more. 

"You're crazy." She shook her head. 

"You have no idea." He responded.

"Okay, then."  She put her hands on her hips again.  "You're morally opposed to vanilla and you said I'm not a vanilla girl?" She asked.  He nodded.  "What kind of girl am I?"

"Do you really want me to answer that question?" He asked, lifting a brow and looking at her suggestively--smiling as her cheeks warmed slightly. 

"What kind of ice cream girl am I?" She clarified with a smile. 

"Hmmm..." he hummed as he stepped back and made a show of looking her up and down.  Kristen rolled her eyes though he knew she was enjoying this just as much as he was.  "Hmmm..." he hummed again as he turned and looked back at the selection of ice cream in front of him.  He looked back and forth between her and the freezer a few times to draw it out until he finally opened the door to the freezer and pulled out two pints of Ben & Jerry's.  "You look like a Peanut Butter Cup kind of girl." He replied as he stuck the two containers in the front seat of the cart. 

"What was the other one you chose?" She asked as he began walking again.  She fell in step beside him and Chris looked over at her. 

"Chubby Hubby." He replied, telling her the name of his favorite ice cream flavor.  Similar to the Peanut Butter Cup but with the addition of pretzels." He explained. 

"So, what's for dinner?" She asked as they continued shopping.

"Hmmm..." he hummed again.  "I've got some chicken we can put on the grill and I think I have a bag of salad in the fridge."

"Sounds great." She smiled as she looped her arm through his.  Chris felt his heart give a skip when she did that-the movement seeming so natural and easy between them.  They continued walking in a companionable silence as she allowed him to grab the few items he needed then stood in line at the checkout.  Finally he couldn't hold back the question that had been nagging him since he'd startled her earlier.  "Vanilla?" He asked turning to look at her and she laughed.  "Seriously?"

End Notes:
tell me what you think...I'm dying to hear....
Chapter 11 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

hope this helps your bad day end better than it began  :)

 

and no, I'm not stalking you....

"Mmmm...you were right." Kristen said, as she licked her lips and stuck her spoon back into the container of Ben & Jerry's she was eating.  "I'm not a vanilla girl." Chris chuckled as he turned to look at her.  "This," she said, taking another bite and then pointing at the ice cream with her spoon. "This is just what I needed tonight." She smiled at him. 

"Good." He replied, lifting the bottle he held in one hand to his lips.  He winked at her before turning back to the grill he was standing in front of and the chicken he was cooking.

Kristen pulled her legs up in front of her on the chair she was sitting in as she took another bite of the ice cream.  Chewing on a piece of a peanut butter cup, she looked around.  Her eyes took in his amazing patio and backyard.  "Your house is beautiful." She exclaimed. She felt like she was sitting in the middle of some fantastic, tropical resort instead of someone's backyard.

"Thanks." He replied with a smile as he turned the pieces of chicken over then looked at her.  "I kind of like it." She smiled again. 

After checking out at the grocery store they had walked out to their cars and Kristen had followed Chris over here--her heart fluttering nervously in her chest over the fact that she was actually to his house.  Her mind was still reeling over the serendipitous events the last couple weeks that had led her path to cross his.  After putting the few frozen items she had purchased in his freezer until she left later, she had helped him put his groceries away and had then followed him out here-taking in the house and now the backyard in amazement.  Chris Kirkpatrick may not be the most famous member of N SYNC, but it was obvious he hadn't done too bad for himself. 

Kristen watched as the lights from the house and the patio reflected off the water in the pool and felt a sudden impulsive desire to jump into the water.  Her eyes slid over to the man standing a few feet from her--her eyes wandering appreciatively over him--and she wondered what he would do if she were to suddenly jump in his pool.  Probably jump in after me.  She thought. 

She chuckled and Chris turned to look at her in question. Kristen just smiled at him as she took another bite of her ice cream. He turned his attention back to the grill and Kristen moved the ice cream she'd eaten around on her tongue.  Her eyes wandered over the man standing a few feet from her as she stuck her spoon in her mouth again, taking another bite.  The playful teasing and easy laughter they had shared earlier at the grocery store had disappeared.  In its place, an awkward silence had fallen between them and she was suddenly reminded of the fact that she really had no idea who this man was.  She wanted to argue with herself that yes, she did know him, but she took a step back that wasn't entirely true.  Beyond the small amount of time they'd spent together, the majority of her background knowledge on Chris Kirkpatrick came from what she remembered reading and hearing about him in the media.  She felt like she knew a lot about him, but it was just surface stuff--stuff than anyone with a computer and internet access could look up and know about him.  Sure, they'd gone out a few times, but did a few casual dinners and one night of incredible sex give her any right to feel like she knew him?

Kristen set the ice cream down on the table--her appetite gone as a combination of confusion and anxiety filled her.  She wrapped her arms around her legs and rested her chin atop her knees as she began worrying her bottom lip with her teeth.  What am I doing?  She questioned.  Why am I here? 

She turned her head to look at Chris--who had been unusually quiet the last few minutes--and wanted to ask him why she was there.  He seemed to act like he liked her and wanted to spend time with her, but was that it?  Last night at the game the only move he'd made had been to hold her hand when they were leaving.  He had been quick to accept her condition of only being friends and Kristen began to wonder if that was because that's all he wanted from her.  They hadn't talked about the night they had spent together and Kristen had no idea if he even wanted that again with her.  Had he been quick to accept her condition because that was all he wanted from her?  Kristen's brow furrowed slightly and she tucked her chin down, against her chest, as heavy disappointment filled her.  She didn't want to just be his friend.

I shouldn't have said that.  She chastised herself.  I should have just kept my big mouth shut and not said anything.  We could have just gone our separate ways instead of prolonging the agony- 

"So..." Chris drawled.  Kristen's head snapped up as she was startled from her thoughts.  She'd forgotten for a moment where she was startled from her thoughts.  She plastered a smile on her face to hide her inner disappointment.  He lifted the bottle of beer in his hand to his lips once again, taking a healthy swallow.

Kristen's eyes followed the movement of the bottle and she felt a stab of jealousy towards the inanimate object--wishing she could press her lips against his.  He heart began pounding as she allowed her eyes to linger on his lips.  She felt a shiver shirt down her spine-her skin tingling at the memory of how those lips felt against her skin.  Her stomach quivered and she swallowed hard.  Stop it!  She scolded.  You're only making this harder on yourself.

"How was work today?" Chris finally asked, pulling her from her thoughts.  Kristen's eyes moved up to meet with his and her heart fluttered in her chest as those incredible brown eyes of his stared back at her.  Why did I tell him we could only be friends?  He watched her closely--intently--waiting for her answer. 

Kristen cleared her throat and shook her head as she lowered her legs.  "Shitty." She replied honestly as she blew out a breath and ran her hand through her hair.  "It was...well..." she paused.  She waved her hand through the air.  "You don't want to hear about my day." She forced a smile as she looked away from him.  "Believe me." She chuckled wryly.  "It would just ruin your appetite." She joked.

"Well, now you've got me curious." He replied as he came to sit down next to her at the table.  "And I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know.  Spill the beans, girl." He commanded with a grin.

Kristen sighed.  "Well, let's see...I waited most of the day for Michael to come in so I could talk to him about your idea for the basketball game." He nodded and she watched as he set his bottle down on the table, reached for her abandoned ice cream, and took a bite.  She lost her train of thought as she watched him put her spoon in his mouth.  "He, uh..." Kristen blinked a few times and cleared her throat as she tucked her hair behind her ears.  She tore her eyes away from him and took a deep breath to compose herself.  "He never showed up." She finally said, glancing over at him again.  He sat watching her, expectantly as he took another bite, waiting for her to continue her story.  "Anyway," she said.  "I,uh...then I got a phone call from the front reception desk telling me I had a visitor.  I thought for a second that it was you," she confessed with an embarrassed chuckle.

He grinned.  "Thought I was coming in for another tour or something?" He asked with a chuckle.

"Something."  She nodded.

"It wasn't me." He observed unnecessarily.

"No." She shook her head with a chuckle.  "It wasn't."

"So, who was it?" He asked in extreme curiosity, as if this were the most interesting story he'd ever heard. 

"The woman who used to be one of my closest friends and who decided to sleep with my husband." She told him.  He whistled in surprise.  "Yeah." Kristen replied with a nod.  "We had a, uh...well, I guess you could call it a ‘heated discussion' in the lobby.  She wanted to apologize.  I told her I never wanted to see her again then my day continued, ending with another meeting between my estranged husband and our divorce lawyers." She told him.  "Hence the reason my grocery cart was completely full of junk food when you surprised me and why I wanted to have ice cream for dinner." She finished.   

"Hmmm..." he mused as he took another bite.  "You're right." He nodded as he pointed the spoon at her.  "Your day was shitty." He agreed and Kristen chuckled. "What I can do to make it end better?" He asked.

Kiss me.  She thought.

She angrily pushed the thought away.  Not gonna happen. She reminded herself.  Just friends, remember?

"So far, you're doing pretty good." She told him with a smile as she leaned across the table towards him.  She watched as a grin spread across his handsome face and felt her cheeks warm slightly as he continued looking at her--a tiny quiver appearing in her stomach at the look he was giving her. 

What does that look mean? She wanted to ask. She didn't know him well enough yet to be able to read his expressions and she was dying to know what this one meant.  She felt a small spark of hope in her chest as she continued staring into his beautiful brown eyes.  A friend wouldn't be looking at her like this would he?

He mirrored her body language as he leaned over the table as well, lessening the space between them.  Kristen's heart skipped a beat or two as it sped up and she took a deep breath to try and calm her racing thoughts and pulse.  However, all it did was inundate her with the scent of him--her thoughts immediately returning to the night they had spent together--and her mouth was suddenly dry.  This man was altogether too dangerous to her well being at the moment as he continued to sit there, looking at her like that.  Kristen wanted to lean over and kiss him--to take back what she had said about being friends--but she held back.  She knew where a kiss would lead and, while a part of her desperately wanted to go there with him again, a larger part of her didn't want this to turn out to be just about sex between them.  Deep down she did want to be friends with him.  They were good together, there was no arguing that fact, but Kristen wanted more than that.  Being married to Kevin had shown her that she wanted more from a relationship than just the physical.  She needed someone she could share all aspects of herself with.  Someone she could connect to and relate to.  Someone who would accept all of her quirky habits and not expect her to change. 

She also needed someone she could trust.

As the silence stretched between them, Kristen stared into Chris' eyes-searching.  Can I trust you?  She wanted to ask him.  How did she know--if they ever took this relationship past the friend stage--if she could trust him to be faithful.  She wracked her brain for any hidden memories of news stories involving the man sitting in front of her.  Had there ever been any rumors of cheating on his part in the past?  She couldn't remember anything, but that didn't mean they weren't there.  He was a celebrity.  Celebrities were famous for their romantic indiscretions.  She knew it was unfair to judge him based on the actions of others, but she couldn't help it.  Being cheated on made a person wary of trusting again.

Chris' eyes seemed to be begging for that trust.  She wanted to give it, but she'd been fooled before.  She wasn't going to be fooled again. 

Her cell phone suddenly chimed in her pocket-breaking the silence between them.  Kristen sat back--putting space between them--and Chris cleared his throat as she pulled the phone from her pocket.  Glancing at the text from her brother, reminding her about the dinner they were having for their mother's birthday tomorrow night, Kristen looked back at Chris.     

"The, uhm..." She cleared her throat  and ran her fingers through her hair.  "The chicken smells good." She said with a smile as she looked over her shoulder at the grill.  "Is it almost done?"

~~~~~~~~~~

Chris was confused.

Confused and frustrated.

This woman had no idea how confusing and frustrating she was.

One minute she's leaning towards me, all but begging me to kiss her and the next she's pulling away asking about the damn chicken.  What the hell just happened? He questioned.  He sat, watching her, waiting to see what she was going to do next, but she just sat there quietly.  He finally pushed back from the table and stood. 

"Yeah." He said, answering her question.  The word sounded more terse than he had anticipated.   "Should be done." He stated as he walked over to the grill.  "Do you wanna eat out here or inside?" He questioned as he pulled the chicken off and placed the pieces onto the plate he had brought out. 

"Can we eat out here?" She asked hesitantly.  "It's a beautiful evening."

"We can do whatever you want." He told her as he turned to face her, plate of chicken in hand.  He watched her closely, wondering if she had caught onto and understood the meaning behind what he'd just said.  If she wanted him to kiss her, all she had to do was ask.  He was dying to feel her lips against his again and he attempted to send that message to her telepathically--letting her know that he was okay with whatever she wanted to do.  She just continued to sit there though and finally, with a sigh of frustration, Chris set the plate of chicken down on the table in front of her and walked back into the house, towards the kitchen--completely missing the look of confusion Kristen had given him. 

After their frank and honest conversation earlier in the week at the hospital, Chris had convinced himself that he could handle being with Kristen without actually being with her.  He could be her friend, no problem he had decided.  Now, however, he was questioning the strength of his resolve to step back and pretend that nothing had happened between them.  She had had a bad day because of the shit that her husband was putting her through and he wanted nothing more than to just take her in his arms and show her that not all men were major scumbags.  She had sat there across from him, her beautiful eyes holding him captive as she searched his for some answer she was looking for.  He wanted to give her the answer though he had no idea what the question was.  He wanted to show her that there was at least one man alive who thought she was amazing and wonderful and beautiful and just wanted to love her; to be with her; to make her laugh and keep her from eating vanilla ice cream. 

She deserves so much better than just plain old vanilla. He thought to himself. 

He realized he didn't know her all that well, but what he had learned he liked.  A lot.  Kristen was the kind of girl he had always wanted to find.  She was smart, beautiful, driven and motivated but she also knew how to let loose and have fun.  Last night at the game she had been more crazy and enthusiastic cheering for her beloved Bulls than he had anticipated, but he had loved it.  Finally!  He had thought.  A girl who understands what it's all about! 

He had taken a few girls to sporting events in the past, but had wound up just getting frustrated because he had had to spend the whole night explaining the game instead of watching it.  Not with Kristen.  She was cheering and yelling at the refs like a pro all night and the memory made him smile. 

Oening up a cupboard and grabbing two plates then moving over to the silverware drawer, Chris was so wrapped up in his thoughts that he didn't hear Kristen come in to the kitchen.  "Did I do something wrong?" She asked, startling him.  Chris almost dropped the plates he was holding as he turned around quickly in surprise.

"What?" He questioned.

She looked at him with confusion clearly written in her face.  "You just kind of threw the chicken at me and disappeared in here in a huff." She explained.  "I wasn't sure if it was something I had done or something I said that made you upset.  I warned you didn't want to hear about what happened to me today but you asked and I--"

"No." He said, cutting her off as he stepped towards her.  "No.  That's not the reason I'm upset."

"So you are upset." She stated, watching him closely.

"Yes." He nodded.  "But it's not...it's not what you think.  I just..." He set the plates down on the counter and leaned over them as he hung his head with a sigh, trying to gather his thoughts.  "I don't know if I can do this." He finally admitted quietly, the confession slipping out before he could stop it.  Kristen remained silent and he looked up at her, his heart twisting painfully at the slight tremble he caught of her bottom lip.  She was quick to cover the emotion though and he felt like a heel.  All of his earlier thoughts of wanting to love her and show her that not all men were out to hurt her and what had he done?  Hurt her. 

This is why I'm single.  He thought.  It was easier being single.  There was no chance of him causing unnecessary pain by not doing or saying the right thing all the time.  He didn't like hurting people and keeping to himself saved him the guilt and remorse of doing just that. 

"I understand." Kristen answered softly, nodding.  "I, uh..." she cleared her throat as she tucked her curls behind her ears.  "I'll...I'll just grab my things and...and I'll go." She said in resignation as she walked past him, her eyes averted as she made her way towards the fridge to grab her groceries.  "I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have come over tonight.  I--"

Chris reached out and grabbed her arm, stopping her.  He pulled her around in front of him, her hands coming up reflexively to rest against his chest as the momentum pushed them together.  "That's not what I meant." He said roughly-his frustration level making his words harsh and angry.  She looked at him in surprise, her brown eyes connecting with his as he took a deep breath to compose himself.  "I don't want you to go." He said, calmer this time.

"B-but, you just said..." She trailed off in confusion as she continued to look at him.  "I don't--"

"I said I don't know if I can do this." He stated as he lifted his other hand and hesitantly placed it against her cheek.  He heard her breath catch slightly and his heart thumped in his chest at the contact.  "What I meant was: I don't know if I can just be your friend." He admitted as his thumb brushed back and forth carressively over her soft skin.  He watched, fascinated-as if it was someone else's hand on her face instead of his own.  "I know that's what you want right now because of everything that's going on in your life, but I don't know if I can pretend that nothing's happened between us." He continued, his eyes sliding down to her lips.  "I don't know if I can pretend that I don't know how you feel." His voice lowered slightly.  "Or how you taste." He swallowed hard.  "I...I don't know if I can do this." He repeated as he shook his head slightly, his eyes meeting hers again.  "I need to know what you want.  I need to know what the ground rules are here.  I've...I've never been in this situation before and I don't know what to do.  We're friends, but..." He trailed off as he moved closer to him.   

"But?" She questioned, the word escaping softly.

 "But I've never wanted to kiss one of my friends like I want to kiss you right now." He confessed. 

~~~~~~~~~

Kristen's heart was thundering in her chest.  Her eyes were locked on Chris', unable to look away.  His thumb brushed across her cheek again and she felt a flutter of butterflies in her stomach.  When his gaze became too intense she looked down-her eyes resting on the sight of her hands against his chest.  Her fingers splayed out slightly.  She could feel his heart beating rapidly beneath her palm and heard his almost imperceptible groan as he hands moved against him.  His hand on her arm tightened slightly as he drew her closer. 

"I need to know what you want."  His words kept echoing through her head, causing a wave of goose bumps to envelope her.  How in the world did I get here?  She wondered.

"Do you read minds?" She asked him, blurting out the thought as she had it.  His brows lowered in instant confusion.

"What?" He questioned.

Kristen looked at him for a moment longer then began laughing.  She couldn't help it.  She knew it was a completely inappropriate response to the situation, but it was either that or cry and she really didn't want to cry in front of this man.  Chris released her as she stepped away from him, scrubbing her hands over her face then running her fingers through her hair as the emotional roller coaster ride she had been on all day finally caught up with her.  The anger over Andrea showing up at work, the frustration of dealing with Kevin, the excitement when Chris surprised her in the grocery store, the confusion and disappointment she'd experienced out on the patio earlier as she wondered whether Chris had any romantic feelings for her, and now the desire flooding through her and the overwhelming need she had to kiss the man standing two feet away from her.  It was too much.  She was on overload. 

"Kristen?" He questioned. 

Kristen looked at him.  "You're funny and sexy and incredibly talented when it comes to music and I'm just wondering if you can also read minds." She told him as she cocked her head to the side.  "Do you have that super power and have been keeping it hidden?" She asked.  She knew she was beginning to ramble-the words falling from her lips faster than she wanted, but she couldn't stop them.  "Because I was just sitting out there," she pointed behind him towards the patio where they had been, "wondering to myself if the reason you had agreed so quickly to my condition was because that's all you wanted--to be friends.  I know we haven't talked about that night but I had convinced myself that we were pretty damn amazing together but then I got to thinking, he hasn't said anything about it so maybe it wasn't.  I mean I've been told in the past, that I'm boring and maybe I am.  But then you stand here and tell me that you don't know if you can be my friend because you can't stop thinking about me and I just--"

Her verbal flood was cut off as Chris stepped towards her, putt his hands on her upper arms as he crushed his lips against hers.  Kristen's knees buckled at the heated attack--the only thing keeping her upright was the fact that Chris was holding onto her so tightly.  She kissed him back, her heart beating dangerously fast in her chest as she felt the swipe of his tongue along her bottom lip before he tilted his head and deepened the kiss.  She wound her arms around his neck--his hands dropping as he wound his arms around her waist and drew her against him tightly.  Why did she think she could just be friends with this man?  Why did she think, after knowing what it was like to be loved by him, that she could ignore that and pretend it hadn't happened?    

"He's an idiot." Chris murmured against her mouth as he tilted his head the other direction and continued kissing her. 

"Who?" Kristen asked, though she didn't really care what he was talking about.  All she wanted was for him to keep on kissing her.  Her fingers ran through his short hair and she tilted her head back as his lips left hers and began roaming down her neck. 

"Whoever told you, you were boring." He said, pulling back enough to look at her.  Kristen opened her eyes, meeting his, and wanted to cry.  "You're not boring." He told her.  "Who told you that?"  He questioned, his brown eyes delving into hers. 

"My husband." She told him--reality coming crashing back down on her.  Chris scowled.

"Then he's a bigger douchebag than I thought." He replied.  "I'm glad you're getting rid of him."  He stated.  Kristen took a deep breath as she pulled out of Chris' arms.  He looked at her in question. "What...?"

"I don't know if you...do you ever...how can I..." Kristen stopped, trying to put her thoughts together.  How in the world was she supposed to explain what she was thinking and feeling when she didn't even completely understand it herself?  She took a deep breath.  "I'm sorry." She said as she closed her eyes and hung her head.  "I know I'm being completely confusing right now and you're probably really frustrated with me but I just..." she paused and took a deep breath.  "I like you, Chris." She said, looking up at him again.  "I like you a lot." She confessed.

"But?" He questioned, watching her closely.

"Do you...go to church?" She asked.

He shrugged.  "It's been a while." He stated.

She nodded.  "I want to be with you, but when I am I get this overwhelming sense of guilt over the fact that I'm still legally married and I am basically doing the exact same thing that my husband did to me.  I'm cheating." She told him.  "And I don't want to be a cheater."

"You're not--"

"I know." She told him, cutting him off.  "We're separated and getting divorced, but it's not final yet and I just...I don't know what to do." She confessed.  "I don't know what to tell you about what the ground rules are here because I've never been in this situation before and when you kiss me like that..." she trailed off, a wave of goose bumps enveloping her as she thought about the kiss they had just shared. 

"What?" He questioned.

"A little voice keeps whispering in the back of my head that I'm going to hell for being with you, but when you kiss me like that I tell that little voice it can go to hell." She replied.

Chris laughed as he reached out and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her in for a hug.  Kristen chuckled along with him as she accepted the hug--resting her head against his chest.  It was the second time this week he'd given her a hug and Kristen was quickly becoming addicted.  She loved the way it felt to be held by him--his strong arms around her and the feeling of protection and comfort she got from the contact. 

"We'll figure it out." He said and she pulled back to look at him.  "Neither of us have been here before." He told her.  "So we'll just...figure it out as we go along.  I've never been one that was big on plans anyway." He grinned.  "They interfere with all the fun you can have along the way.  However," he continued.  "The last thing I want to do is send you to hell so we could just hold back on the whole kissing thing--"

"No!" Kristen exclaimed.  Chris grinned and she felt her cheeks redden at the force of her objection. 

"I said ‘hold back', Kris not ‘hold off.'  Hey wait a minute..." He trailed off as he cocked his head to the side--his brows furrowing slightly in deep concentration. 

"What?" She asked with a chuckle.  "Don't hurt yourself, thinking so hard." She teased. 

He laughed.  "I just realized our names are the same.  Chris and Kris."

Kristen laughed.  "You just now figured that out?" She asked. 

"I've been a little distracted lately." He confessed, his cheeks warming slightly. 

"Oh, really?" She asked, lifting one brow as she eyed him closely.  She watched his blush deepen and grinned.  "By what?" She asked, though she had a sneaking suspicion she knew what his answer was.

"Like you don't know." He replied, leaning down to press a quick kiss to her lips.  "Now come on, smarty pants." He said turning and putting his arm around her shoulders.  "Let's go eat.  The chicken is getting cold."

End Notes:

well?  well? well?  do you love me?  told you, you would  :)  I accept cash, credit card, or reviews...lol...

Chapter 12 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

Better late than never, right?  Sorry this one took so long...life kind of took over the last couple weeks, but this story is never very far from my mind and I work on it every spare second I have.!  :)

Happy Valentine's Day!! 

"Who are you texting?" Kristen asked as she sat down on her mother's couch Saturday evening.

"No one." Her fifteen-year-old niece, Delainey, answered. 

"Her boyfriend." Delainey's nine-year-old brother, Preston, supplied as he sat on the other side of his sister.  His attention was focused on the Game Boy in his hands but he couldn't pass up the opportunity to torment his sister.  Kristen smiled as she looked over at her nephew-his tongue sticking out as he concentrated on whatever game he was playing.

"Shut up!" Delainey exclaimed as she reached over and shoved Preston away from her.

"What's his name?" Kristen asked with a grin.

"Travis." Preston answered.

"Preston!" Delainey hissed.  Kristen chuckled as she watched her niece's face flush brightly.

"What?" Preston asked, his eyes still focused on the game he was playing.  "She asked." He stated matter of factly with a shrug.  Delainey sighed heavily as she rolled her eyes.

"Is he hot?" Kristen asked, leaning closer to her niece.  Delainey glanced at her.  The girl didn't say anything but the deepening blush on her face gave Kristen the answer she was looking for.   

"No." Preston snickered.  Delainey reached over and smacked her brother upside the head.  "Ow!" He exclaimed, finally looked up from his game as he rubbed the back of his head.  "Mom!" He called out.  "Lainey hit me!"

"Delainey." Michelle, the kids' mother and Kristen's sister-in-law, called out from the kitchen.  "Be nice to your brother.  Please."

Preston stuck his tongue out at his sister in triumph. 

"You're dead!" Delainey stated as she lunged for her brother.  Kristen reached out and pulled Delainey back as Preston jumped off the couch and scurried from the room with a laugh.  "Ugh!  I hate him!" She stated forcefully as she pulled her knees up in front of her.  She wrapped her arms around her legs and lowered her head, pressing her forehead against her knees.

"I know." Kristen replied, trying to hold back her laughter. She took a sip of water from the cup she was holding to hide the chuckle that escaped despite the fact she was biting her tongue.

"He makes me so mad!" Delainey continued as she lifted her head and turned to look at Kristen.

"He wouldn't be doing his job as your brother if he didn't." Kristen told her.  "At least you only have one." She continued.  "I had three growing up." She reminded the girl with a laugh.  "And your dad was the worst of the bunch!" She said in reference to Jack, her oldest brother. 

"Really?" Delainey asked, her blue eyes watching Kristen closely. 

"Mmm-hmm." Kristen nodded as she took another sip of her water.  She tucked some hair behind her ears as she brought her legs up beneath her and turned towards her niece.  "All I had to do was look at a boy and I never heard the end of it!" She chuckled.  "I swore I was going to be permanently scarred and traumatized, but..." she shrugged.  "I turned out okay and so will you." She smiled.  "Don't let him know he's getting to you and eventually he'll get tired of teasing you." She counseled.  "Now...tell me about Travis." She grinned excitedly.  Delainey's cheeks flushed again and the girl dropped her gaze as she began telling Kristen about her latest crush--extolling all of the boy's virtues and declaring with a sigh that she was certain they were destined to be together forever.

"He's the one, huh?" Kristen teased with a chuckle at the dreamy look in the younger girl's face.  Delainey nodded.  "You're lucky you found him and you're only fifteen!" She nudged the girl with her elbow as she grinned teasingly. 

Delainey chuckled as she dipped her head and tucked her hair behind her ears.  "I know.  Don't worry, Aunt K." She said, looking up as she placed her hand on Kristen's arm.  "You'll find your soul-mate one day." She nodded confidently.  "I know it."

Kristen smiled.  She wondered if she should feel offended about a fifteen-year-old giving her advice on love, but she loved her niece too much to ever be offended by anything the girl said.  "Thanks, Lainey." She said, reaching over and giving the girl a hug.  "What do you say, we go see if dinner is ready?"  Delainey nodded and the two of them stood and made their way into the kitchen.

Kristen stopped as her cell phone suddenly vibrated in her back pocket.  She stopped and pulled it out-a smile spreading across her face as she read the text she'd received.

Hey, Vanilla!  ;) What are you up to?

She chuckled at Chris' sudden nickname for her--his dig at her choice of ice cream flavors making her laugh.  She set her water down on the end table closest to her as she then typed her answer.

Family dinner for my mom's birthday.

He was quick to reply, making Kristen's smile grew.

Great!  I'm starving.  What are we having?

Kristen laughed.

Lasagna, salad, garlic bread, some wine (juice of course for the kiddos) and brownies with VANILLA ice cream :)

She picked up her glass from the end table and took a drink as she waited for his reply--her thoughts returning to last night and the passionate kisses she and Chris had shared in his kitchen.  Her knees felt a bit unsteady as she remembered the look in his eyes when he'd told her that she wasn't boring and that he couldn't stop thinking about her.  Her!  He was rich and famous, had traveled around the world and back, and had been chased and adored by millions of girls but he couldn't stop thinking about her.  Kristen Miller.  Children's hospital fundraiser, Chicago sports fan, drunk karaoke singer, and ice cream lover.  She didn't know what made her so special as to have caught his attention but somehow she had and she wasn't going to argue with it.  If he wanted to think about her, and if thinking about her led to him kissing her the way he had last night, then Kristen was more than okay with it. 

Her phone vibrated in her hand, bringing her out of her thoughts and she looked down at it, reading his text.

Again with the vanilla ice cream!  I just don't understand.

Kristen laughed as she typed out her reply.

Come over later and I'll explain it to you...

Her heart fluttered as she waited to see what he would say to that invitation.  They had decided not to set any ground rules when it came to their relationship--deciding instead to just take it day by day and see what happened between them.   She still felt guilty about being with him, but she couldn't stay away.  She was quickly becoming addicted and knew she wouldn't be able to stay away from him for long. 

When should I be there?

Kristen smiled as she read his text and typed her response. 

Might be kind of late. Once my family gets going sometimes there's no stopping us! Lol

She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she sent the text and waited. 

"Kris?" Kristen looked up in surprise as her brother Jack walked into the Family Room.  "Dinner's ready." He told her. 

"I'll be right in." She told him, looking down as her phone vibrated in her hand. 

Tell me when to be there, Vanilla, and I'll be there.

Kristen smiled. 

I'll text you when I'm leaving :)

She looked up as she shoved her phone back into her pocket.  Jack was watching her and she smiled as she picked up her glass of water. 

"Who are you texting?" He asked as they walked into the kitchen.

Kristen glanced over at him.  "No one." She said, chuckling as she gave him the answer his daughter had given her earlier.  "No one."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"How you holding up, Peanut?"

Kristen moaned and rolled her eyes as her brother plopped down next to her on the couch.  His weight on the cushions caused Kristen to roll over against him and Lance chuckled as he put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her even closer to him. 

"Don't you think I've outgrown that nickname?" She asked, as she put a hand against his chest and looked up at him.  "I am thirty-two after all." She reminded him unnecessarily.  "It's kind of ridiculous that a woman my age still has a stupid childhood nickname.  Can we just drop it?"  She begged.  "Please?"

"Never." Lance grinned, his brown eyes sparkling teasingly as he gave her shoulders another squeeze.  "You'll always be, Peanut, in my book." He stated with a wink.

"Great." Kristen rolled her eyes again as she laid her head against his shoulder.  "One of these days I'm going to burn that book of yours." She mumbled under her breath.  Lance just chuckled again as Kristen turned her attention back to her mother as she sat in one of the chairs across from the couch, opening her presents.  Kristen's five nieces and nephews were all seated close as they watched and waited for Grandma to open their individual gifts to her.  Kristen smiled at the scene, chuckling as two-year-old Grace kept scooting closer and closer to her grandmother, wanting to "help" unwrap the presents. 

"Seriously." Lance said quietly, intruding on Kristen's observation of her family.  She looked up at him.  "How are you?"

He didn't have to elaborate as to what he was referring to--she knew, and her heart warmed at the genuine concern on his face.  Lance had always been the one she was closest to out of her three brothers.  While she loved Jack and Ryan equally as much, Lance just understood and "got" her.  He was the one who always laughed at her jokes and seemed to know what she was thinking.  He knew when she needed to talk and when she needed to be left alone.  He had been the first one in her family she had told about Kevin's cheating and she had had to physically hold him down by sitting on him to keep him from going to kill her now estranged husband.  She laid her head back down on his shoulder and put her arm around his waist, hugging him.  

"Today is a good day." She told him honestly.  "And...things have been getting better." She smiled as she once more thought of the dark haired, brown eyes man that had suddenly become a fixture in her life. 

"Does that have anything to do with whoever it was you were texting earlier before dinner?" He questioned.  Kristen felt her cheeks warm and kept her face pressed against his shoulder so he couldn't see her blush.  Lance chuckled--taking her silence as the answer he was looking for.  "Good." He stated and Kristen looked up at him in question.  "Don't let Kevin hold you back if someone better has along." He counseled. 

"Even if I'm still technically married to the slimeball?" Kristen asked, needing someone else's opinion on the state of her eternal salvation.  As her brother looked at her--his eyes searching hers--Kristen was suddenly caught off guard by how much he looked like their dad-though it didn't really come as much of a surprise.  Lance had been the only one of the boys to follow their father into law enforcement and sometimes when she saw him in his uniform, Kristen had to blink back the tears--like right now. I wish you were still here, Daddy.  She thought.  She would give anything to be able to have her dad give her a hug and tell her everything was going to be okay--even though she knew he had no control over the situation.  She missed the safety and security she had always felt having her dad around.

"You were always the one who insisted on coloring inside the lines and cried when you didn't, thinking you'd ruined the picture." Lance remarked.  "It's okay to break out of the box once in a while, Kris, and this may be one of those times.  I think God understands."  Kristen gave him a tremulous smile as she blinked at the tears once again.  "You've got that special Kristen spark back in your eyes." He continued.  "Whoever he is, he must be pretty special."  He smiled.

"I hope so." Kristen nodded.

"Do you want me to run a background check on him to make sure?" He asked and Kristen laughed.

"No." She shook her head.  "You don't need to run a background check on him.  He's..." she trailed off, wondering what her family would say if they found out whom she was beginning to spend time with.  "No." She said shook her head again.

"Okay." Lance replied with a shrug.  "If you change your mind, let me know."

"Thanks." Kristen smiled.  "I won't."

Lance laughed as he pulled her close again and kissed the top of her head.  "Make sure he treats you right." He continued quietly.  "I don't want to have to hurt him."

~~~~~~~~~~

"E..."

Don't say twelve.  Don't say twelve. Don't say twelve.  Kristen chanted in her head as she and Chris sat cross-legged on the floor of her apartment on either side of her coffee table, staring each other down.  She had left her mother's house an hour and a half ago and had texted Chris like she'd promised she would.  He had shown up shortly after she'd gotten home and, since nothing good was on TV, they had decided to play a game.  Kristen watched as Chris tapped his chin with the small red game piece in his hand as he narrowed his eyes at her.  They were currently in the middle of an intense game of Battleship and he was one move away from placing the final blow and winning.  His eyes looked down at the board in front of him then back up at her. 

"Are you going to make a move, or what?" Kristen asked him. 

"I'm thinking." He replied, his eyes never leaving hers. 

"About what?" She questioned with a smile.  "It's not that difficult of a decision to make." She chuckled.  He looked down at his board once more.

"Twelve." He said as he looked up at her again.

"Damn it!" Kristen exclaimed.  She crossed her arms and rested them on top of the coffee table as she laid her head down--a groan of defeat escaping her. 

"Yes!" Chris put his arms up in the air as a huge smile lit up his face.  He laughed and Kristen peeked up at him.  "Say it." He said.

"Why?" She countered.  "You know you won.  Why do I have to say it?"

"Say it." He commanded, a teasing sparkle in his brown eyes.

Kristen pursed her lips together as she sighed heavily.  "Fine." She relented.  "You sunk my battleship." She said, delivering the trademarked line.

"You bet I did!" He exclaimed with another laugh.  "That's twice." He told her, rubbing in the fact that he had won two of the three games they had played and now had bragging rights over her.  "I win!"

Kristen couldn't help laughing over his excitement.  He was acting like Preston whenever she played a game with her nephew and he won.  "Best out of five?" She asked.  She needed to regain her dignity.  Battleship was her game!  It always had been and it had been a long time since someone had beaten her twice in a row. 

"Sure." He replied with a shrug of his shoulder.  "But first," he said, placing his hands on the table and standing.  "Where's your bathroom?" 

Kristen smiled.  "Down the hall on the left." She told him, gesturing over her shoulder.  Chris disappeared down the hall and Kristen stood then made her way into the kitchen.  Dinner had worn off and she was feeling a little munchy.  I wonder if he's a sweet or salty snacker.  She wondered as she began rummaging through her pantry.  Deciding to play it safe she pulled out the half-eaten bag of Hershey Kisses she had and the bag of Cheetos she'd gotten at the grocery store Friday night.  "Now....drinks..." she muttered under her breath as she set the food down on the counter.  Opening one cupboard she went up on her toes slightly and reached up for two glasses. 

~~~~~~~~

"So explain to me your love of vanilla ice cream." Chris said, coming into the kitchen and startling Kristen.  "I still don't..." He trailed off as his eyes focused in on the small expanse of skin showing from where her shirt had ridden up as she was reaching for whatever was in the cupboard.  He swallowed hard as she looked over at him, lowering her feet back to the floor as she set the glasses in her hands down on the counter.  He wanted to peel the shirt off her and run his hands over her smooth, warm skin again.  He wanted to forget about the Battleship tournament they were apparently having and play and entirely different game with her.  He brought his eyes up to meet hers and felt a shot go through him as she stood, watching him closely.  Her cheeks warmed slightly and he wondered if she could read his mind; if she knew what he was thinking. 

Help me out here.  He silently begged her. 

They had decided not to set any ground rules regarding their relationship, which was fine, but at the same time he hated flying blind.  He didn't know what he could and couldn't do--which advances she would accept and which ones would be rejected.  In past relationships they had built up to sleeping together.  He hadn't slept with a girl first and then tried to build a relationship with her.  All he knew was, the longer she stood there looking at him, the harder it was to remember why he couldn't just push her back against the wall and have his way with her.  Maybe it had been a bad idea to come over here tonight.  When he had walked out of the bathroom a few minutes ago, he had caught sight of her bed, through her open bedroom door, and the memory of that night two weeks ago had returned. And then he walked in here and was confronted with the sight of her stretching out in front of him--her beautiful body on display...

The playful teasing they had shared earlier over the game had been replaced with the thick tension currently between them and Chris felt like he was ready to scream.  It had been two weeks and he was wound tighter than he could ever remember being, which was ridiculous.  He'd gone longer than that before in the past, but for some reason he was suddenly at his breaking point. 

And it was all her fault.

His mind and body still vividly recalled how this woman standing in front of him felt, wrapped around him, and he knew she was the only one who could provide the release he was suddenly desperate for. 

"It's, uh..." Kristen finally spoke, breaking the silence between them.  She tucked some of her hair behind her ear as she turned towards the fridge.  "It's versatile."  She told him.

"Versatile?" He questioned, trying hard to remember what question he had asked her that she was now answering.  He could barely remember his name over the haze that had settled over him.  He shook his head and stepped farther into the kitchen, leaning back against the counter as he watched her. 

"You can..." she cleared her throat and he felt his lips twitch upwards slightly.  Maybe she had read his thoughts.  She was suddenly extremely flustered and he felt a smug sense of satisfaction come over him.  It was good to know that he rattled her as much as she rattled him.  "You can, uh...you can make it into whatever you want it to be." She said as she opened the fridge and stood, looking inside of it for a moment. 

"Kristen." He said, needing her to look at him again.  He didn't care anymore what her reasons were for liking vanilla ice cream.  He wanted to see if what he was beginning to suspect was true. 

"Do you want water or beer?" She asked, refusing to look at him.

"I want you." He stated.  He waited what seemed like an eternity as she stood--statue still--in front of the fridge.  Slowly she closed the door and turned to look at him.  Pushing away from the counter, Chris took the few steps towards her.  He watched as she swallowed hard and her chest began rising and falling rapidly.  Finally he stood in front of her--their eyes locked on each others.  "I want you." He said again. "I." He lifted his hand as he tucked some of her curls behind one ear.  "Want." He lifted his other hand and did the same thing on the other side.  "You." He finished as he placed both hands on her hips and tugged her closer.  "I'm dying here." He confessed quietly as he lowered his head, his lips a breath away from hers.  Kristen's lips parted slightly as she closed her eyes and exhaled a soft sigh.  "Put me out of my misery." He begged.

Kristen would her arms around his neck as she pressed her lips against his.  Chris groaned as she seemed to be giving him the answer he wanted.  Her fingers tangled in his hair and he bent down.  Putting his arms around her hips he straightened.  Kristen jumped, locking her legs around his waist as their lips remained locked in a heated exchange.  She combed her fingers through his hair as he turned--setting her down on the counter.  She let out a moan as he dug his hands into her thick curls and Chris was positive it was the sexiest thing he'd ever heard. 

He pulled back, finally breaking the seal of their lips and Kristen slowly opened her eyes, giving him a dazed look.  He gripped her hips and shuddered as she flicked her tongue out, wetting her bottom lip.  She combed her fingers through his hair as she leaned forward, taking his bottom lip between hers. 

"The feeling is mutual." She told him, looking at him through her lashes.  Chris groaned again as he took full possession of her mouth.  She tightened her legs around him and, with an arm under her for support, he pulled her off the counter and turned, walking out of the kitchen and down the hall to her bedroom--finally deciding that it had been a good idea to come over here tonight.

~~~~~~~

Kristen rolled over.  She smiled as she felt the bed move behind her.  Chris put his arm around her as he pulled her back against his chest.  He pressed his lips against her shoulder and Kristen felt a rush of goose bumps as his warm breath fanned over her skin.  His lips moved slowly up her neck until her nuzzled her ear.  She giggled quietly as his goatee tickled her.  His arm tightened around her as he placed one more kiss below her ear then settled down behind her.  Kristen pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she listened to his breathing even out and deepen. 

Please don't leave this time.  She pled as she finally closed her own eyes--succumbing to sleep.  I don't want you to leave... 

Chapter 13 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

Two chapters in one week?  I know, I know....don't fall out of your chair in excitment now!  lol....you can blame this on the 16 hours I spent driving by myself last weekend.  It gave me a lot of time to think and plot and come up with dialogue. 

So....with that being said....here's to, ahem, "attacking" our favorite former boybanders  :)  It's kind of a long one so, enjoy! 

Chris groaned as he stretched his arms above his head the next morning--consciousness slowly taking him over.  He reached over, blindly searching for his phone on the bedside table.  When he couldn't find either the table or his phone, he opened his eyes-immediately disoriented at finding himself not at home.  He sat up--the dark blue sheet he was tangled in falling down to his lap.  Blinking a few times he looked around the strangely familiar room, his brain struggling to wake up.  Where the hell...He trailed off as he spotted a familiar lacy, black bra at the end of the bed and everything finally clicked into place.

Kristen.

He looked over and frowned when he discovered he was alone in her bed.  Where was she?  "Kristen?" He called out.  The silence of her apartment greeted him.  Chris turned, lifting the sheet and bedspread as he swung his legs over the side of the bed.  His eyes caught sight of a bright pink piece of paper taped to the wall beside him. 

Went for a run.  Be back soon.  Don't leave.  -K

Chris stretched again as he yawned--a smile coming to his face as he allowed his thoughts to wander back over the events of last night.  He hadn't been expecting to get end up in bed with Kristen again when he'd come over to hang out, but he didn't regret it.  She was amazing--incredible--and he was quickly beginning to realize that she was becoming very important to his happiness.  It had been a long time since he had found himself walking around with an almost permanent grin on his face because he couldn't stop thinking about a particular girl.  Kristen was never far from his thoughts and the last two weeks had begun to show him just how much he had been missing out on by swearing off relationships.  Life after the spotlight of being a part of one of the biggest pop sensations in music history didn't seem so dull since he'd met her.

Chris rolled his eyes and scoffed at his thoughts.  "Getting kinda sappy and sentimental there, Kirkpatrick." He chastised himself under his breath as he got out of bed.  "Careful, you're going to start skipping around throwing flowers in a minute." He chuckled as he bent down, grabbing his camo--patterned cargo shorts from the floor.  He zipped them up and was just pulling his black T-shirt over his head when he heard the front door of the apartment open and close.  With a smile on his face, he walked out of the bedroom in search of the curly-haired, brown-eyes beauty who had seduced him so thoroughly last night.

~~~~~~~

I'm not a beauty queen

Traveling in a limousine

I'm a girl but don't call me baby

 

Who the fuck is VIP?

Never alive in luxury

I don't care so just call me crazy

Kristen bobbed her head along with the strong dance beat pounding through her as she entered her apartment Sunday morning.  She'd woken up about an hour ago and, after laying in bed for a few minutes--starting appreciatively at the incredibly gorgeous man who had stayed the night and was sharing her bed, and watching as he slept--she had quietly gotten up, changed and left to get a quick run in before he woke up.  It had been a few days since she'd gotten her normal exercising in and decided, as long as Chris appeared content to sleep the morning away she could get up, go out and be back before he noticed she was gone.

As she entered her quiet apartment she sat down to stretch--the wires from her ear buds bouncing as she continued to move her head along with the beat from the song she was listening to. 

Don‘t stop just take it to the limit
Watch me boy it‘s spinning around this time
Hush, hush, running to the night, feel alive

I just can‘t get enough when I‘m with you
‘Cause your fever makes me feel so good
Turn it up boy you make your move
See I‘m burning but it feels so good

Can‘t get enough when I‘m with you
You got fever but it feels so good
Turn it up baby make your move
Keep me burning ‘cause it feels so good

She smiled as the words suddenly reminded her of last night and brought the memory of once more being in Chris' arms immediately to mind.  A shiver went through her as she bent over her left leg, stretching her back, then switched and stretched out over her right leg.  She could honestly say she'd never been loved the way Chris Kirkpatrick loved her.  It was an amazing and beautiful experience and she wondered now, how she'd ever been content to spend the rest of her life allowing Kevin to be the only man who ever touched her that way.  But the truth was, she didn't know what she had been missing until now.

She had been relatively inexperienced when she'd met and married Kevin--the night of her Senior Prom and her first boyfriend in college her only sexual exploits--and that inexperience had prompted her to begin believing the things he'd told her.  Maybe she was boring when it came to sex.  During the past year as Kevin had withdrawn from her and had all but refused to touch her anymore she had begun to wonder if she were perhaps broken in some way, unable to provide adequate sexual satisfaction that would keep a man committed to her.  Maybe it had been her fault Kevin had cheated. 

The last two weeks had changed her way of thinking, however.  She knew it wasn't her fault.  She wasn't the one with the problem.  If it were true-if she truly was boring in the bedroom--Chris wouldn't have given her a second look after their first night together, let alone confessed to her last night that he was "dying" because of her and needing her to put him out of his misery.  If she were incapable of keeping a man's interest, Chris wouldn't have stayed last night. 

Kristen smiled as she sat up then lay back down on her front room floor, her eyes closed as she continued listening to the song and waited for her breathing and heart rate to return to normal.

I don‘t need no superman
Trying to tell me who I am
Know it all‘s a driving me crazy

Nothing ever is for sure
I can‘t take this anymore
All I want is yes or no baby
Can you give it out?

Don‘t stop just take it to the limit
Watch me boy it‘s spinning around this time
Hush, hush, running to the night, feel alive

~~~~~~~

Chris stood, arms folded over his chest and a smile on his face, as he leaned against the wall and watched as Kristen stretched.  She seemed to be completely oblivious to the fact that she had an audience and his eyes ran over her appreciatively as she put her legs out in front of her--her fingers reaching out and grabbing the toes of her running shoes. Her body moved slightly in rhythm, he assumed, to the song she was listening to on her I-pod.  When she laid back on the floor with her eyes closed he couldn't resist walking over to her.  He waited for her to hear him, to recognize she wasn't alone in the room, but she didn't.  Must be one hell of a song.  He reasoned as he moved to stand over her--one leg planted on either side of her.  He chuckled quietly as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, her head still moving to the beat.

~~~~~~


It‘s so hot - Do it, do it real good
Can‘t stop - Do it, do it real good
It‘s so hot - Do it, do it real good
Can‘t stop - Do it, do it real good

"It's so hot.  Do it, do it real good.  Can't stop.  Do it, do it real good.  It's so hot.  Do it, do it real good.  Can't stop..." Kristen tapped her hand against the floor as she sang aloud.

"If you want to go back into the bedroom, I'll do it real good for you again." He said.  Kristen let out a startled yelp as her eyes flew open to find Chris standing over her, laughing. She reached out and smacked his leg. 

"Don't do that!" She exclaimed as she pulled the ear buds from her ears. "You scared the shit out of me!  How long have you been standing there?" She asked as she continued to lay, looking up at him. 

He shrugged.  "Couple minutes."  He stepped back as she moved to sit up.  He held his hands out to her and she accepted his help as he pulled her to her feet in front of him.  "Did you have a good run?" He asked as he gave her hands a squeeze.

"Yes." She replied with a smile.  "But don't get too close to me." She warned, putting her hands on his chest as he moved to pull her closer.  "I stink." 

Chris made a show of sniffing exaggeratedly.  "I don't smell anything." He replied, a teasing sparkle in his brown eyes.

"Trust me." Kristen laughed.  She turned to walk away but he kept a hold of her hands and she looked back at him in question. 

Chris just smiled as he tugged her closer and pressed a quick kiss to her lips. "Good morning." He said as he pulled back. 

"Mmmm...good morning." She relied with a smile.  "I, uh....I was going to make breakfast...if you want to stay." She offered. 

"I never turn down food." He stated and her smile widened. 

"Good." She nodded.  "I'm going to go jump in the shower really quick." She said, gesturing over her shoulder towards her room.  "Then I'll come out and get it started." She told him.  "Make yourself at home.  The TV remote is there on the table and if there's nothing on all my movies are over there." She turned and pointed at the bookcase next to the TV. 

"Alright." Chris nodded. 

"'Kay." She smiled as she pulled her I-pod from her pocket and wound her ear buds around the devise.  "I'll be quick." She promised.    

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Gwen Stefani, No Doubt, Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, Nickleback..."

Kristen tucked some hair behind her ear as she looked over at Chris, who was currently sitting at her kitchen table reading off the names of the artists she had on her I-pod.  She smiled at him as he looked up at her.  She chuckled as she shook her head and turned her attention back to the bacon that was popping and sizzling on the stove.

"Britney--she's good." He commented, going back to evaluating her music collection.

"She's a must." Kristen replied with a nod.

Chris chuckled.  "If you say so." He teased.  "Hmmm...N SYNC.  You know, I heard those guys were pretty good." He mused and Kristen laughed as she looked over at him.  He winked at her and she felt her heart stomach quiver slightly, wondering if he knew how completely adorable he truly was.  When she'd finished with her shower and walked back into the front room she had found him sitting on her couch, watching and laughing at Spongebob Squarepants and she couldn't help but laugh at the picture he made--a grown man completely enthralled with a ridiculous children's show.  He was just a giant kid and she loved it.  Everything she learned about him only endeared him to her more. 

"Lady Gaga," he said, continuing his perusal.  "Pink...you've got a little bit of everything in here, I think." He stated, sounding impressed. 

"I told you I was a music whore." She teased, reminding him of the conversation they'd had when they'd gone to dinner for the first time.  "People think I'm kidding when I tell them, but I'm not." She chuckled.

"Only thing missing is some country."  He said as she pulled the cooked bacon from the frying pan and added a few more strips to the hot pan. 

Kristen laughed.  "I don't do country.  I think the only time I have ever watched CMT was when you were on Gone Country a few years ago."  She stopped--a piece of raw bacon hanging from her fingers in midair.  Her heart fluttered nervously in her chest as she realized what she'd just said.  Had she said too much?  She didn't want to scare him away with admissions of being a fan. 

"You actually watched that?" He asked with what sounded like an embarrassed chuckled. 

Kristen looked over at him.  "Yeah." She nodded.  "I watched." 

"Why?" He asked.  

She paused, debating whether to give him her honest answer or just make something up.  Finally, she decided to go with honesty.  Might as well let him know.  She thought.  "Because you were on it." She replied.  "And I've..." she rolled her eyes as she felt her cheeks warming.  "I've always kind of had a crush on you." Kristen watched as a purely evil grin spread across his face. 

"Is that right?" He asked. 

"Yes." Kristen said turning back to the bacon.  "But don't let it go to your head." She cautioned.  "I mean I wasn't like a...a super fan, or whatever you want to call it." She told him.  "I went to one concert back in the day and I went to your guys' reunion concert last year but I didn't, like, have your picture plastered all over my walls, or hang out at the back of the concert venues trying to get a glimpse of you, or scream and cry whenever I saw you on TV.  I just..." She shrugged.  "I just always thought you were the cutest one of the group and I...I had a crush on you."  She rolled her eyes.  I sound like the biggest idiot.  She thought.  And this is the part where he says he has to go, walks out the door and I never see him again.  You couldn't just keep your mouth shut, could you Kris?  She asked herself.  You had to-

"Do you still have a crush on me?" He asked, breaking her from her thoughts. 

Kristen turned to look at him in surprise.  "What?" She asked.

Chris stayed where he was sitting at the table, his brown eyes watching her intently.  "Do you still have a crush on me?" He asked again.  "Now that you've met me and we've hung out a few times and we've..." he trailed off.  "You know."

"Slept together?" She asked, finishing his question. He nodded.  Kristen felt her lips turn up slightly as she caught the slight glint of vulnerability in his eyes as he looked down at her I-pod he was still holding then back up at her.  She appreciated that he wasn't arrogant and cocky--puffing his chest out, assuming he was the best she'd ever had--but he had to know he was good.  She smiled as she turned back to the bacon.  "Yes." She told him.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she glanced over at him.  "I still have a crush on you."  She knew her cheeks were blazing and she kept her attention focused on the bacon sizzling in front of her. 

Chris remained silent and Kristen finally forced herself to look over at him, needing to know what his reaction was to her admission. He sat, watching her closely and Kristen's heart began pounding in her chest as he smiled at her.  "I think I have a crush on you, too." He told her.  Kristen felt a ridiculously huge smile spread across her face and her cheeks warm at his admission.  She stood there, eyes locked with his, and her smile faded as the tension between them thickened.  Wanting nothing more than to walk over and kiss him, Kristen moved to do just that--completely forgetting about the bacon she was cooking.  Until it popped, hot oil jumping out of the pan and landing on the back of her hand.

"Ow!" She exclaimed, pulling her hand back.  "Damn it!"

"What happened?" Chris asked, as he pushed back from the table and walked over to her. 

"Damn, bacon." Kristen told him.  "Popped on me.  I'm okay." She insisted.

"Are you sure?" He asked.  "Let me see." He said, grabbing her hand-not waiting for her to give it to him.  Kristen watched as he inspected her hand, brushing his thumb over the little red spot.  Her breath caught as he brought her hand up to his mouth, his lips pressing against her skin.  His eyes rose to meet hers.  "Go sit down." He said, gesturing with his head towards the table.  "I'll finish this up."

"I'm okay." Kristen insisted.  "I've been burned worse than this before." She chuckled.  She lifted the sleeve of her T-shirt revealing an inch long, thin, horizontal scar on her upper forearm.  "I'm kind of a klutz in the kitchen.  See?" She said, showing it to him.  "Got that from a cookie sheet last year."

"How..." he trailed off, looking at her in question.

"Don't ask." She laughed.  "All I'm saying is that this," she pointed to the back of her hand.  "Isn't even going to leave a mark. It's nothing." 

Chris just smiled as he nudged her out of the way and took over cooking the bacon.  Kristen put her hands on her hips as she stood watching him for a moment, then finally turned and opened up one of her cupboards and took out two plates.

"So what's the plan for today?" He asked. 

She turned to look at him, plates in hand.  "Well..." she said, leaning back against the counter, holding the plates against her chest.  "Sundays are usually a pretty lazy day for me.  I usually end up having a CSI: New York marathon, and making cookies or something."

"What kind of cookies?" He asked as he took the last piece of bacon out of the pan, laid it on the plate with the other pieces and turned to look at her.

"Oatmeal chocolate chip, of course." She replied enthusiastically with a grin as she pushed off the counter and walked towards the table.  "Is there any other kind?" She asked as he follower her. He chuckled and she smiled as she set the plates on the table then turned and walked back into the kitchen.  Grabbing the eggs that had been cooked earlier and keeping warm on the back burner, Kristen took those to the table as well then sat down across from Chris.  "Dig in." She told him with a smile.    "We could always have a Battleship rematch." She told him as she began putting food on her plate.

"You really want to embarrass yourself again?" He teased as he put a piece of bacon in his mouth.

Kristen gasped. "Excuse me." She laughed, pointing a finger at him.  "I didn't embarrass myself.  You cheated."

"Cheated?" He replied with a grin and lift of one eyebrow.  "How the hell did I cheat?"

"I...haven't figured it out yet." Kristen conceded and Chris shook his head as he let out a laugh.  "But I know you did."

"Mmm-hmm..." he nodded as he turned his attention to his plate.  "It's not my fault if you put your battleship in the exact same spot both times." He muttered under his breath, but loud enough for her to hear.  Kristen narrowed her eyes then balled up her napkin then threw it across the table at him.  Chris chuckled as he dodged it.  "Wanna go see a movie or something?" He asked.

"Sure." Kristen shrugged as she took a bite of her eggs.

"There's that new horror movie that came out last weekend that I've--"

"No." Kristen cut him off with a shake of her head.  Chris laughed at her insistence. 

"Not a fan of scary movies?" He asked.

"No." She replied.  "I don't...no." She shook her head.  "Can't do it."

"Not even if I'm there to hold your hand and keep you safe?" He asked with a grin.

Kristen shook her head.  "No.  Because what happens when I'm left here all alone by myself tonight?  Whatever alien life form/psychotic serial killer/mental health patient is out to kill everyone is going to come get me.  Where are you going to be then?  Not here to hold my hand and keep me safe."

"If you want me to stay I will." He offered, lifting his glass of orange juice to his lips.  "I don't have a problem with that."  Kristen smiled.  "Does that smile mean we can go?" He asked, watching her closely.

"Hell no."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Step inside, walk this way
You and me babe, Hey, hey!

Love is like a bomb, baby, c'mon get it on
Livin' like a lover with a radar phone
Lookin' like a tramp, like a video vamp
Demolition woman, can I be your man?
Razzle 'n' a dazzle 'n' a flash a little light
Television lover, baby, go all night
Sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet
Little miss ah innocent sugar me, yeah

Kristen laughed as an all too familiar song began playing from Chris' I-pod that he had set up on its stereo base.  This song brings back memories.  She thought wryly.

After breakfast that morning, she and Chris had gone over to the mall to see what other movies were playing.  They hadn't been able to decide on a movie and instead had spent the day just walking around window shopping, talking and laughing.  Every second Kristen spent in his presence she questioned whether she was just setting herself up for heartbreak and disappointment.  She was allowing herself to fall for him, and it had only been two weeks! 

"What's so funny?" Chris asked as he walked around the pool table set up in his basement.  They had left the mall an hour ago and, after he had dropped her off at her apartment, Kristen had followed him over to his house. 

Kristen smiled as she leaned against her pool stick as her eyes followed him.  She watched as he brought his stick up, leaned over the table.  "I pole danced to this song once." Kristen confessed as Chris took his shot.  She couldn't help laughing as he missed--his eyes flying up to meet hers in shock. 

"What?" He asked, sounding like he was choking. 

Kristen giggled.  "You heard me." He replied as she focused her attention on the pool table.  She stopped across the table from him.

"Pole danced?" He asked.

"Mmm-hmm." Kristen nodded as she bent over, lining up her shot. 

"Do you..." He cleared his throat.  "Do you think I could...I think I need to see this." He stated. 

Kristen grinned as she took her shot.  She stood as she watched the balls move around the table.  "Yes!" She exclaimed as she watched the 5 ball fall into the corner pocket.  She turned to look at Chris, who stood watching her expectantly.  "Okay." She grinned as she laid her stick down on the table.  She put her hands on her hips as she looked around the basement, her brows furrowing slightly.  "You don't really have a pole..." she trailed off.  "I guess..." The song ended and Kristen held up a finger.  "Got an idea." She grinned.  "One second." She told him as she walked over to the I-pod.  Hitting the back button, Kristen waited for the song to start again then walked over to one of the beams supporting the ceiling above them.  She tossed her hair and laughed--rolling her eyes--as she began working the beam.  "When I did this I was drunk, I'll have you know." She told him, looking over her shoulder at him.  "I feel completely ridiculous doing this sober."

~~~~~~~~~

Chris leaned back against the pool table as he watched Kristen.  He felt his jaw drop and knew he probably looked like a complete idiot but he couldn't help it.  She had him completely mesmerized.  

Take a bottle, shake it up
Break the bubble, break it up

Pour some sugar on me
Ooh, in the name of love
Pour some sugar on me
C'mon fire me up
Pour your sugar on me
Oh, I can't get enough

I'm hot, sticky sweet
From my head to my feet yeah

He watched as she flipped her hair around as she sang along. Talk about ‘hot, sticky sweet.' He thought as he swallowed hard, his eyes running up and down her incredible body as she continued dancing, using the pole like a professional--not that he really had a lot of experience when it came to professional pole dancers, but he knew enough to know that Kristen could put a few of them to shame.  How the hell was her husband not worshipping the ground she walks on and doing everything he could to make sure he always stayed in her good graces?!  He didn't understand, but one thing was sure: her husband's loss was Chris' gain.

Pour some sugar on me
Ooh, in the name of love
Pour some sugar on me
C'mon fire me up
Pour your sugar on me
Oh, I can't get enough
Pour some sugar on me
Oh, in the name of love
Pour some sugar on me
Get it, come get it
Pour your sugar on me
Ooh
Pour some sugar on me
Yeah! Sugar me!

Chris folded his arms across his chest as the song finally ended and she stood facing him-her chest rising and falling deeply as she struggled to catch her breath. 

"Whew!" She blew out a breath and ran the fingers of one hand through her curls.  "That's a hell of a workout.  I should do that every day!" She laughed.

"Yes, you should." He agreed, nodding his head and grinning like a fool as she put her head back and laughed.  "And I want to watch."

"I can't believe I just did that."  She admitted, a blush tinging her cheeks.   

"That..." Chris shook his head and blew out a breath.  "Girl...you are crazy!" He laughed. 

"Is that good or bad?" She asked with a chuckle as she walked towards him. 

"It's good." He assured her.  "Where have you been all my life?" He questioned with a teasing grin.

"Oh you know, I've just been--oh my gosh!" She exclaimed, letting out a laugh as she turned around and looked towards where his I-pod was sitting on its stereo base across the room.  "Are you serious?" She exclaimed as the next song started. 

"What?" He asked, confused as "Sexy Bitch" starting playing. 

"Have you been stalking me?" She asked, turning and narrowing her eyes at him.

"No." Chris shook his head.  "Why?"

"First with Def Leppard and know with Akon?" She asked him.  "Are you kidding me?"

"Did you pole dance to this one, too?" He asked with a chuckle.  Her cheeks flushed hotly which instantly piqued his interest.  He watched her closely, waiting.

"No..." she trailed off, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth, dropping her gaze from his.  She looked back up at him.  "Lap dance." She admitted.

Chris laughed as she began dancing again, moving towards him--a sudden determined look in her eyes.  He felt one eyebrow raise as she quickly closed the space between them and ran her hands up his chest.  His arms dropped, his hands reaching out to grip her hips as she turned around, grinding back against him.  She put lifted one arm, her fingers sliding into her hair to keep it out of her face as she turned to look at him over her shoulder.         

The way that booty movin I can't take no more
Have to stop what i'm doin so I can pull up close
I'm tryna find the words to describe this girl without being disrespectful

Dam girl
Dam you'se a sexy bitch
A sexy bitch
Dam you'se a sexy bitch
Dam girl

"Are you trying to kill me?" Chris asked as he leaned over her slightly--his lips trailing over her neck.  She laughed as she turned again in his arms.  She shook her head as she took a step back.  Pulling her bottom lip between her teeth she beckoned him with a finger.  He couldn't resist her even if he wanted to.  Chris followed after her until she placed her hands on his shoulders and he found himself being pushed down on one of the overstuffed chairs that sat facing the big screen he had. 

He groaned and his eyes rolled back in his head as Kristen sat down on his lap--her hands still on his shoulders and her hips continuing to grind against him--and trailed her tongue up his neck.  Akon was still singing in the background but the music seemed to disappear as her teeth nipped at his earlobe and her lips closed over it.  It was all he could do to remember how to breathe.  Why was his bedroom so damn far away?!  It was going to take a million and a half years to get from where they were in the basement up two flights of stairs to his room.  He didn't know if he could make it that far. 

No. He shook his head.  He knew he couldn't make it that far. 

With the state he was currently in, he wasn't going to be going anywhere anytime soon. It's gonna have to just be here on the floor. He thought.  He hated doing it on the floor--it cheapened the entire act and made him feel like he had no self-control.  What?  You couldn't keep it in your pants long enough to walk upstairs?  But, there was no way around it this time.  He'd make it up her, he promised himself.

Kristen continued to move on his lap and his hands tightened on her hips as she ground against him.  She had switched sides and was now working on his other ear and he let out a deep groan as her hands slid down his chest between them.  He had been with some hot women in the past but none of them could hold a candle to the one he was currently with.  She was a firecracker--completely unexpected and full of crazy fun--and he wondered how the sparks shooting between them at the moment hadn't completely engulfed them in flames.  How had they not spontaneously combusted with the heat they were generating?  Suddenly, needing to feel her skin, Chris slipped his fingers under the hem of her T-shirt and lifted the material.  Kristen sat back and took over, grabbing the shirt and pulling it off, over her head.  She ran the fingers of both hands through her hair as she looked at him and Chris was positive he'd never seen a more beautiful picture than the one she made. 

Her brown eyes were dazed with lust and desire, her lips were kiss-reddened and swollen, and her incredible body was calling out to him.  He reached a hand up, cupping her left breast, and Kristen tipped her head back--his name escaping her lips with a breathy moan as her hips bucked against him.  Winding his other arm around her back he brought her closer, bending his head as he placed his lips above where his hand was kneading her-feeling the rapid beating of her heart in her chest.  She arched her back slightly--pressing herself more fully against his palm.  Her fingers dove into his hair, keeping his head pressed against her as he moved his lips up her chest and the smooth column of her neck until he reached her ear. 

He kissed along her jaw line, until she was all but purring in his arms--the moans and mewls of pleasure escaping her beautiful mouth, as she continued to arch and grind against him, were like music to his ears.  He'd never been so confident that he was fully and successfully pleasing a woman before and suddenly his focused changed.  He forgot about the almost excruciating pain he was in--it no longer mattered.  All that mattered was Kristen.  He wanted to please her; to love her so completely, so thoroughly.  He wanted to hear her cry out his name and know that he had satisfied her like no one ever had before.  She had gone far too long being neglected and not being given the love and attention she deserved and he wanted to make up for it.  He wanted to make up for all the times her husband had cheated on her; for all the times he suspected she had gone to bed alone or had cried herself to sleep.  He wanted to show her what it was like to be loved by someone who cared about her, who was thinking only of her; someone that would never hurt her the way she had been hurt. 

She shuddered in his arms and her grip on his hair tightened.  "Chris..." she panted, her head dropping until her forehead was resting against his shoulder.  "If we don't..." she swallowed hard as he pulled her impossibly closer-their hips still moving together.  "I'm...I'm going to--"

"Let go." He replied.  She lifted her head and looked at him.  "Just let go." He told her again as he dropped his hand from her chest to the hem of her jeans.  Her eyes glazed over as he popped the button, slid the zipper down, and slipped his fingers inside.  Her breath caught and she let out deep moan at the intimate contact--arching against his hand.  "I'll catch you." He promised.  Their lips met in an explosive collision and he kissed her deeply and thoroughly until finally, Kristen tore her lips from his, a cry of pleasure escaping her as her head fell back--her entire body trembling in his arms.  Chris placed his lips against her throat and down her chest as until she melted against him--her breath hot against his neck as she lay limp in his arms.

"I'm sorry." She finally whispered.

"About what?" He questioned, as he wrapped his arms around her and bent his head slightly to kiss her forehead.

Kristen sat up and looked at him.  "I'm the only one who just--"

He shook his head, cutting her off as he put his hands on her face.  "I'm okay." He told her.  "That was about you." He said as he leaned forward, kissing the tip of her nose.  "I can't make up for everything that's happened in the past, but...if you're happy then I'm happy." He continued.  She sat looking at him in awe.  "Are you happy?" He questioned. 

"Happy doesn't begin to describe what I am feeling right now." She replied as she wound her arms around his neck and pressed her lips against his.  She moved her hips against his as their lips connected again and again in increasing heat and passion and he was reminded of his earlier pain.  He was so close that it wasn't going to take much to push him over the edge.  But he didn't want that.  He wanted the release that would come from being inside her.  Placing his hands on her hips, he pushed her back slightly.  Her lips left his and she looked at him in question. 

"Forgive me." He said as he slid them off the chair and onto the floor.  He kissed her once.  "I'll make it up to you, I promise." He vowed as she lay down and he hovered above her.  He kissed her again, letting loose with a groan as she hitched one leg up around his hip, pulling him closer.

"Let go." She whispered, giving him the line he'd spoken earlier as she willingly accepted his weight that he settled atop her.  She reached up and ran her fingers through his hair as she pulled him in for another searing kiss.  "Just let go.  I'll catch you."

~~~~~~~~~~

"I still feel like I need to apologize." Kristen admitted later that night as she and Chris lay in bed together.

"Why?" He asked with a chuckle as he pulled her close and pressed his lips to the top of her head.  "You don't have anything to apologize for, girl, I can assure you." He told her with a satisfied grin.  "I have never...no." He shook his head as he kissed her lips.  "No apologizing.  For anything." 

Kristen smiled as she kissed him back.  "I feel like we're uneven." She told him.  "I got the first one and the others tonight were a, uh...joint affair, if you will.  I'm sorry.  There, I said it."

He laughed.  "You're crazy." He told her as he tucked her hair behind her ear and cupped her cheek.  "And, you're more than welcome to even the score if you'd like." He offered with a suggestive wag of his eyebrows and Kristen chuckled.  "But I told you, as long as you're happy," he said as he kissed her once.  "Then I'm happy." He kissed her again.  "We don't have to keep score and worry about everything being even." He finished with a third kiss. 

Kristen sighed as she laid her head on his chest and snuggled up against him. "You're really not helping me get over my crush on you." She teased. 

Chris chuckled, the sound rumbling in his chest beneath her ear.  "Maybe I don't want you to get over it." He replied as he took her hand that had been resting on his chest, laced his fingers with hers and brought it to his mouth.     

"Well." Kristen replied with a smile on her face.  "You're well on your way to assuring that I never will."

"It's all part of my evil plan." He told her.

"I knew it!" She exclaimed, her laughter making him laugh in response.  She tightened her arm around him as she hugged him close.  Her eyes caught sight of the clock sitting on his bedside table and she felt a wave of disappointment sweep over her.  A few more hours and this incredible weekend would be over and she was going to be forced to return to "real life" and all the drama that contained.  Kristen lifted her head, her eyes connecting with Chris'. 

She wanted to thank him for the last couple days, but felt like an idiot for wanting to do so and instead said nothing.  He smiled as if knew her unspoken thoughts and Kristen felt her heart warm in her chest.  She leaned forward, pressing her lips against his softly, then lay down again--her head once more resting against his chest as she closed her eyes.  Was she happy?  Hell yeah!  Happier than she'd been in longer than she could remember and it was all because of the one and only Chris Kirkpatrick. 

She let out a sigh of contentment as sleep finally overtook her.

End Notes:

ok, so uhm....this chapter was a lil more steamy than what I've written in the past.  *blushes*  Hope I did okay with it!  lol....lemme know what you think  :)  Reviews are what keep me going!!

 

Song credits: 

"Fever" by Cascada

"Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard

"Sexy Bitch" by David Guetta ft. Akon

Chapter 14 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
alright, for those of you reading this who also listened to the radio interviews Chris did this week will know that part of this chapter isn't true but in my defense I had this idea planned out before Chris had to go and ruin it!  lol...anyway....hope you enjoy!  :)

"Looks like someone had a good weekend." Amie remarked in a singsong voice Monday morning.

Kristen looked over at her friend above the rim of her Caffe Mocha as she walked down the hall towards her office.  She couldn't help the grin that spread across her face.  "If by ‘someone' you mean me," Kristen said as Amie followed her into her office.  "Then, yes." She nodded, her grin widening, as she set her coffee and purse down on her desk.  "Someone had a great weekend!"

Amie gave an excited noise as she made herself comfortable on the corner of Kristen's desk.  "Details, girl!" She exclaimed.  "Who? What? When? Where?"

"Hmmm..." Kristen tried to force a straight face as she sat down in her chair.  She reached for her coffee and took several sips, closing her eyes to savor the flavor. 

"Arg!  You're killing me, Kris!" Amie growled as she reached out, pushing at Kristen's chair with her foot. 

Kristen giggled.  "That's what Chris said Saturday night." She said as she opened her eyes to look at Amie.  Amie gasped, her eyes widening in excitement.  "And last night." She continued, a full-fledge grin returning to her face.

"Chris?" Amie asked.  "As in...Chris?"  She questioned.  Kristen nodded.  "All weekend?"

"Basically." Kristen replied with a shrug as she leaned back in her chair with a smile and a dreamy sigh. 

Amie laughed.  "That good, huh?" She questioned.

"Oh." Kristen replied.  "You have no idea."  She giggled--the last two days with Chris replaying in her mind.  "He's..." she trailed off, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth.  She closed her eyes and shook her head.  "He's...amazing." She finally stated.  "I had no idea what I was missing out on being with Kevin."

"Details, Kris!" Amie exclaimed with a frustrated laugh.  "Details!" Kristen leaned her head back as she twirled around in her chair.  "You've answered the who and the when." Amie stated.  "Pretty sure I can figure out the what." Amie continued making Kristen giggle again.  "How about....how many--" Amie was cut off as Kristen held up all five fingers of one hand and two fingers on the other.  Amie made a sound like she was choking and Kristen sat up, looking at her friend.  "And you're able to walk right now because...." Amie trailed off with a teasing glint in her eyes. 

Kristen laughed.  "Mr. SexyBack, Justin Timberlake, ain't got nothin on the one and only Chris Kirkpatrick." She stated confidently and Amie giggled.  Kristen's phone beeped from her purse and she reached for the bag.  Opening it, she pulled out her cell phone and read the text message she'd received.

You left without saying goodbye :(

Kristen smiled. 

"Is that Chris?" Amie asked.  Kristen nodded as she hit the button to reply.  "Then I'll leave you alone." She said, standing.

"‘Kay." Kristen replied, distractedly as she typed out her response.

Had to leave early to get home and get ready for work and I didn't want to wake you.  Figured you could use the rest...you looked pretty worn out after last night ;)

Amie chuckled.  "Wanna do lunch today?" She asked.

"Yeah.  Sure, whatever.  Sounds good." Kristen replied, waving her hand at her friend as her phone beeped again with an incoming message. 

Worn out? Are you saying I'm old?

Amie laughed again as she left Kristen's office.  "I'll see you later."

"Yeah..." Kristen replied as she typed her reply.  "Later..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

You said it, not me, old man :p

Chris chuckled as he read Kristen's text.  He held his phone up above him as he lay in bed, typing out his reply.

Old man? Old man?!  I didn't hear you say anything about my age yesterday when we were getting freaky, Vanilla. Or the night before.  Do I need to remind you how many times I've made you scream out my name over the last couple days? And all without any Viagra...

He grinned as he sent the text. 

Tossing the phone next to him on the bed, Chris sat up--throwing back the covers and swinging his legs over the side of the bed.  He puffed his chest out, a smug sense of arrogance filling him as his mind wandered back to the events of yesterday.  From the day they had spent together talking and laughing and walking around the mall, to Kristen's pole dancing, to the lap dance she had given him, to the floor, to his bedroom...the last two days had been great and he knew he'd been good.  Kristen had been amazing and he was disappointed he had woken up without her this morning-but he was glad she wasn't here to see him gloating.  He chuckled as he turned and looked over his shoulder at the bed; his eyes taking in the place Kristen had fit into so comfortably and easily last night.  He was learning there were many sides to the woman and each one intrigued him more than the other, yet he suspected that each and every side of Kristen Miller would tear him down if she could see the smug look on his face at the moment.

His phone vibrated on the bed.  Chris twisted as he leaned over and reached for it where he'd tossed it a moment ago.

Cocky much?

He laughed as he read Kristen's text, proving his earlier thoughts correct.  Chris quickly typed out a response and sent it to her.

If you want cocky, Vanilla, I can give you cocky. I know how you like it...

Chris set the phone down on his bedside table then stood.  Scrubbing his hands over his face he let out a groan as he stretched his arms above his head.  He grinned as his phone vibrated again. He picked it up, laughing as he read her text.

Dirty old man.

With a simple smiley face sent as a reply, Chris left his phone on the nightstand and walked into the bathroom.  He stopped in the doorway as he was hit by a sudden bolt of inspiration.  He could hear the beginnings of a melody in his head as some lyrics began coming to him.  He grinned as he rubbed his hands together.  There was nothing quite like the rush he got from creating music-being with Kristen was a rush all its own, but creating a song was an entirely different and incredible experience.

This is gonna be good.  He thought.  I wonder what Mike's doing today...

~~~~~~~~~~

"Michael?" Kristen asked as she knocked on his office door later that afternoon.  The man looked up from his desk and motioned her into the room.

"What can I do for you?" He asked as he set his pen down and folded his hand atop the papers spread out in front of him.

"I, uh..." Kristen stalled as she sat down across from him.  "I want to talk to you about a fundraising idea that a friend and I have discussed and come up with recently."

"What kind of idea?" He asked.

"Well, it's a, uh..." she rubbed her hands nervously over her thighs.  "Do you remember about seven or eight years ago the music group N SYNC that was really popular?" She asked.  Michael gave her a blank stare.  Of course not.  Kristen thought.  Why would you know about N SYNC?  "Anyway, they used to hold an annual charity basketball game." Kristen went on.  "Then they went on hiatus and they stopped holding the games.  I'm friends with one of the guys that was in the group and he mentioned to me last week that he was thinking about getting the rest of the group together and starting them back up again.  He knows that I work for the hospital here and he was asking if we wanted to help in promoting it and getting some of our sponsors and donors on board with it and we would get some of the proceeds from the game.  I told him I would talk to you about it and see what you thought."

Michael sat, regarding her silently for a moment and Kristen wasn't sure if it was a good silence or a bad silence.  With Michael you never could tell until he opened his mouth and began to talk. 

"It has the potential of being huge." Kristen continued.  "The guys have a fantastic fan-base that supports them one hundred and ten percent in anything they do.  When they did their basketball games back in the day it was a huge event and people came from all over to watch and participate."  She paused, watching Michael for any sign as to whether or not he was liking the idea or not.  "Chris--that's the guy I'm friends with--has a charity foundation of his own, and some of the proceeds would go there as well.  It'll be good publicity for the hospital and he's willing to offer his contacts to us to get this all set up and going.  So what do you think?" She asked, her heart fluttering nervously in her chest.  She really wanted him to say yes.  She knew this was going to be a great opportunity for the hospital and an amazing event to be a part of.  She mentally crossed her fingers as Michael opened his mouth.

"I..." he paused as he leaned back in his chair-his hands crossing over his wide girth now, instead of the papers on his desk. 

"I like your sweater." Kristen commented, surreptitiously--hoping to win herself some brownie points, even though the black and yellow monstrosity made him look like a huge bumble bee. 

"I...like it." He finally nodded. 

"Yeah?" Kristen asked, excitedly.

"Yeah." He nodded.  "I'd like to speak to Chris about it--did he have a hand in planning any of the games in the past?" He asked.

"I don't know." Kristen shook her head.  "But I can find out." 

Michael nodded as he leaned forward in his chair.  "Set up a time when he can come in and we can all talk about it." He told her. "Get some of the logistics ironed out."

"Okay." Kristen smiled.  "Thank you!"

"How's the benefit concert coming?" He asked. 

"Well," She swallowed.  "We haven't been very successful in signing artists up, but we're still trying.  Amie and I--"

"Why don't you talk to Chris about that." Michael stated as he picked up his pen and began looking over the papers in front of him.  "He's got to have a lot of connections in the music world if his group was as big as you say it was."

"I don't want to use him for his connections." Kristen replied, her brow furrowing slightly. 

"Of course not." Michael answered as he looked up at her.  "But you just told me he was willing to help by offering the contacts he's got.  Let's dig into that a little further, okay?" He asked. 

"O-okay." Kristen replied, though she suddenly felt funny about this whole situation and wondered if it had been a good idea to talk to Michael and bring Chris into the mix. 

"That's all." Michael said as he bent over his paper work again--dismissing her as if he had been the one to call her to his office instead of her coming by herself.  Kristen looked at him in confusion for a moment.  What the hell?  She wondered as she stood. 

Walking out of his office she paused in the hallway and looked over her shoulder-wondering what had just happened and how Chris was going to feel about Michael wanting her to "dig into" his list of contacts.  With a sigh she continued walking down the hall towards her office.  She wasn't going to worry about that right now.  She had done what she'd promised Chris she would do: talked to Michael about the basketball game.  Michael liked the idea and Kristen smiled as she thought about what this opportunity would mean for her and for the hospital.  This had the potential of being huge, as she'd expressed to Michael, and--aside from being able to work closely with Chris over an extended period of time--helping to put together this event was only going to add to her resume and make her even more valuable asset to the hospital.

Kristen pulled up short when she stepped through the door of her office, her eyes immediately spotting the foreign object waiting for her on her desk.  She smiled as she walked towards the desk, her fingers reaching out to brush over the petals of the bouquet of daisies that were sitting in a bright yellow vase.  She regarded the blossoms for a moment, wondering who they were from until she saw the card that had been delivered along with them.  Her smile grew as she read the short message. 

Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and missing you.

She sat down in her chair as she continued staring at the flowers--the small note pressed against her chest.  How did he know?  Kristen wondered in awe.  How in the world did he know daisies are my favorite?  Or that I love the color yellow?  She and Chris had talked about a lot of things over the last couple weeks, but they hadn't moved into the territory of favorite flowers in any of their conversations.  It was either an amazing coincidence that he had happened to pick out her favorite flowers and have them sent over in a vase that was her favorite color, or it was a huge sign that she needed to take notice of.

Kristen didn't believe in coincidences.

Reaching for her cell phone that she'd left laying on her desk when she'd gone to speak to Michael, Kristen leaned back in her chair as she dialed his number and waited-counting the rings until she heard his sexy voice come over the line.

~~~~~~~~~~~

She likes to party and she never comes home.

Wherever she may go she never ends the night alone.

I must confess, she's irresponsible.

She knows she's beautiful.

That's why she gets away with it all

 

I gotta tell you, she's a handful all the time.

But she's my baby.

She's a crazy girl.

She's a crazy girl.

 

She's not a stripper but you'd never know.

The way she works the pole, you'd throw your dollars on the floor.

She may get into the occasional fight, at the end of the night

Because she likes to put on a show.

 

I gotta tell you, she's a handful all the time.

But she's my baby.

She's a crazy girl.

She's a crazy girl.

Mike leaned over, holding his hand up towards Chris.  Chris responded-slapping his hand against the other guy's.  "You're a genius!" Mike proclaimed as he listened to the rough track they had laid down.  "These lyrics..." he trailed off as he read over again the words Chris had scribbled down and brought over to the studio today.  His eyes slid back over to Chris.  "What's the story behind ‘em?"

Chris felt a broad smile take over his face.  "What else, man?" He asked with a shrug and a shake of his head.  "A crazy girl I met." And whom I'm becoming obsessed with.  He added silently.  He chuckled to himself as he leaned back in the chair he was sitting in and stared at the ceiling, his thoughts once again returning to the events of the past weekend.  He had taken some artistic liberties in creating this musical interpretation of Kristen, but from what little he knew about her--combined with the sense he got from being around her--he was certain he'd been able to perfectly capture the essence of her personality.  Though he'd only been given a small taste of it Saturday evening, she was a handful when she chose to be. 

She was a crazy girl. 

She was his crazy girl.

His phone vibrated and he sat up as he pulled it from his pocket.  Speak of the devil.  He thought as he saw Kristen's name flash across the screen.  "Hi." He said, answering the call.  He pushed his chair back from the soundboard and stood, walking out of the studio.

"You are incredible." Kristen stated.

"Yes, that's what you kept saying last night." He teased, and she laughed. 

"Thank you." She said.

"For last night?  You're welcome." He replied.  She laughed again and he smiled as he leaned back against the wall beside the studio door.  He loved the sound of her laugh.  Kristen had the cutest and most contagious laugh he'd ever heard and it never failed to make him smile and laugh along with her. 

"So I was wondering," she began.  "If...if you're not sick of spending time with me after this weekend, do you want to maybe go to dinner tonight?" She asked.

"Yes." He quickly agreed.  "And by the way, I'm not sick of spending time with you."  He heard what sounded like a quiet sigh of relief coming from her and smiled.  "Where do you want to go?" He asked. 

"Do you like The Cheesecake Factory?" She asked.

"Who doesn't?" He replied.

"Awesome!" Kristen exclaimed.  "Wanna meet there at six?" She asked.

"How about I pick you up?" Chris asked.

"You don't have to pick me up." She insisted.  "It's out of your way to come get me. We can just meet there."

"It's not out of my way." He lied.  "I'm picking you up." He stated firmly.  He wanted to see her again as quickly as possible and this was the way to do it.

"Okay."  She agreed.  There was silence on the line for a moment until she spoke up again.  "I talked to Michael about the basketball game idea." She informed him.

Chris straightened slightly in interest.  "And?" He asked.

"He liked the idea." She replied.  "He said he wanted to set up a time for you to come in and the three of us talk about everything."

"That's great!" Chris exclaimed. 

"Have you talked to Justin about it yet?" Kristen asked.

"No." Chris answered honestly.  "I've been a little preoccupied lately." He admitted.

Kristen chuckled.  "That seems to be a favorite excuse of yours." She teased.

"I can't help it that a beautiful woman one day appeared out of nowhere and took me completely by surprise." He replied.  Kristen chuckled again.  "I'm a guy.  We're easily distracted by beautiful women." He stated.  Kristen went silent on the other end of the line and Chris could feel the mood between them change instantly.  He was confused as to why for a moment until what he had just said registered.  Damn it, Chris! He chastised himself, as he lifted one hand and smacked it against his forehead.  Way to stick your foot in it.  "Kristen, I...I didn't mean to...I..."  he groaned as he closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the wall.  "I'm sorry." He apologized. 

"It's okay." She replied, all earlier evidence of her laughter and happiness completely gone.  Chris felt about two inches high and wanted to kick himself for being so thoughtless and insensitive.  How could he just carelessly throw that statement out there--completely forgetting the reason she was in the middle of a messy divorce was because her husband had been easily distracted by other women?

"No it's not." He told her.  "I wasn't thinking.  I'm sorry.  We're not all easily distracted like that.  I promise.  That was a stupid thing to say, I shouldn't have said it.  I--" 

"It's okay, Chris." She insisted, cutting him off, though he could still sense she had pulled away from him slightly with that verbal reminder of the pain and betrayal she had gone through, and was still going through. 

"How ‘bout I try and make it up to you by taking you to dinner tonight?" He asked.  "Cheesecake Factory?  I'll pick you up about six?" He left the invitation out there, hoping he hadn't blown it and she still wanted to see him tonight.

She was quiet for a moment then, "Okay." She agreed and he could hear the hint of a smile returning to her voice which made his heart skip hopefully in his chest.  "But you may have to buy me two pieces of cheesecake." She warned.

"I'll buy you whatever the hell you want." He replied and she chuckled. 

"I'm going to hold you to that." Kristen stated.

"Good." He nodded.

"Okay then.  So I'll see you later?" She questioned.

"I'll be there." He promised.  They said their good-byes and Chris ended the call.  Once more shaking his head at the faux pas he'd committed.  With all the years he'd spent in the spotlight, and all the media training he'd had, he would have thought he would have learned to think before speaking.  A lot of good all that training did.  He mused as he pushed off from the wall.  He was going to have to be more careful at what he let slip out.  He liked Kristen--he liked her a lot--and he didn't want to do or say anything that would risk whatever it was they had going on between them.  Pacing down the hallway and back up, Chris looked down at his phone as he scrolled through his list of contacts.  Finding the name he was searching for, he hit a button to call the long distance number and lifted the phone to his ear.  A familiar voice answered on the second ring and he smiled.

"Aubrey, my love!" He exclaimed, making the younger woman chuckle.  "I'm so glad you answered.  You're just the woman I need to talk to.  I need your help..."

~~~~~~~~~

"Dinner was great." Kristen said as Chris held his hand out to her, helping her out of the car.  He squeezed her hand.  "Do you...want to come up and," she lifted the bag in her hand, "share this second piece of cheesecake with me?" She asked, with a grin and a lift of one eyebrow.

Chris kept a hold of her hand as he pulled her against him, pressing his lips against hers.  "Where do you put it all?" He asked, narrowing his eyes slightly as he pulled back to look at her.

"What?" Kristen asked with a chuckle as she lifted her arms and put them around his neck. 

"All the junk food." Chris explained as his arms went around her waist.  "I'm impressed that you're not the typical girl obsessed with what you're eating all the time and so concerned with counting calories and carbs that you miss out on all the great food life has to offer but..." he drawled.

"But?" Kristen asked her fingers twirling the hair at the nape of his neck, her lips lifting at the teasing sparkle in his brown eyes. 

"But how come you don't weigh like three hundred pounds?" He laughed.

Kristen laughed.  "That's the benefit of having a high metabolism." She replied.  "I can enjoy life without constantly worrying about what I'm eating but don't get me wrong," he continued as she leaned forward slightly--kissing him.  "I run so I don't have to worry about what I eat."  Chris bent his head as his mouth covered hers and Kristen willingly let him lead her in a heated exchange--completely forgetting the fact they were standing in the parking lot in front of her apartment building.  "Mmmm..." Kristen moaned when he pulled back a moment later, her tongue darting out to lick her lips-the taste of Chris Kirkpatrick still heavy upon them.  "So?" She asked as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth. 

"So?" He echoed.

Kristen smiled.  "You coming up, or not?"

Chris kissed her once more before stepping back.  Kristen dropped her arms from around his neck.  Chris put his arm around her shoulder as they turned and began walking towards her building.  He lifted the key ring in his other hand, pointed it over his shoulder and pressed a button--setting the alarm on his Escalade. 

"You should consider yourself very lucky." Kristen commented as they continued walking. 

"And why is that?" Chris asked with a chuckle.

"Because I don't share my cheesecake with anyone." Kristen replied as she looked at him. 

Chris laughed as he hooked his arm around her neck, pulling her closer as he bent over and kissed her. Chris dropped his arm from her neck.  He took her hand as he followed her up the stairs--bumping into her when she stopped suddenly at the top.  "What--"

"Kevin?" Kristen asked, the bag in her other hand dropping to the ground as the man that was standing at her door turned to look at them.  "What the hell are you doing here?"

End Notes:
don't hate me....
Chapter 15 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

*gasp* two updates in three days?  what is the world coming too?!  lol....it's short, but I felt bad about leaving the last chapter the way that I did. 

also, these characters have kind of taken on a mind of their own.  I am no longer writing this story, they are.  So if you ever don't like anything, blame them.  Not me.  lol...so, with that being said, here we go....

"That was quite the display down there."

Kristen's jaw clenched as she fought to control her anger.  "What are you doing here?" She asked again as her eyes watched Kevin closely, trying to decipher his motives for being here.

"I was hoping we could talk." He stated.

"Talk?" Kristen questioned.  "Why the hell would I want to talk to you?  I think we've said all that needs to be said to each other."

"Don't be like this, Kris." He began, taking a step towards her but she shook her head and he stopped.  "Didn't you get my flowers I sent this afternoon?" He questioned.

"Your flowers?" She asked, looking at him in shock.  "B-but I thought..." She trailed off as she looked over her shoulder at Chris.  His brown eyes met hers inquisitively.  She could read the silent question his eyes were conveying to her: What do you want me to do?  Tell me what you want me to do about this and I'll do it.  Kristen turned back to look at her husband.  She should have known Chris hadn't sent her the flowers earlier today.  It was just too big of a coincidence him somehow knowing her favorite flower and favorite color without them ever discussing it.  She should have known that it wasn't the gigantic sign from some higher power she had assumed it was.  There I go assuming again and making an ass out of myself.  She mentally kicked herself.  She sighed in defeat as her shoulders slumped slightly.  "How did you find me?"  She asked him.  Since they had separated six months ago, he had made no attempt to try and find out where she had moved to.  Why now? 

Kevin smiled patronizingly and sighed as he shook his head, looking at her as if she were a child he was having to explain something to for the fifteenth time.  "It really wasn't that hard, Kris. It was pretty easy." He replied.  "Much like you've turned out to be, I see."  He cocked his head to the side as he delivered the jab and Kristen felt her anger flare.  Her breathing quickened--her chest rising and falling heavily as she fought the desire she had to rip all of his hair out.  She wanted to-more than she'd ever wanted anything in her life--but she knew if she did anything to him it would eventually come back on her.  Kevin would find some way to use whatever she did to him against her in their divorce proceedings.  "My wife, the apartment complex slut, everyone." He clapped his hands as if introducing her at some event.

"That's enough." Chris stated, finally breaking his silence.  He moved to take a step around her, but Kristen turned and placed a hand against his chest--keeping him where he was. She appreciated his willingness to stand up and fight for her, but she didn't want him to get involved.  This was her fight.  She was the one who needed to tell Kevin to step off or he was never going to leave her alone.   

"Who is this?" Kevin asked.  Kristen looked at Chris-her stomach quivering slightly as his beautiful brown eyes stayed locked on hers.  She felt him give her fingers, on the hand that he still held, a squeeze--offering her his silent support and she gave him a small smile as she sent a silent prayer heavenward that he was there.  She didn't know what she would have done if she had been here alone tonight when Kevin had shown up. 

"Why do you care?" Kristen asked, turning to look at Kevin again.  She watched as he folded his arms across his chest as he looked at Chris over her shoulder--his blue eyes shooting daggers at Chris.  Kristen felt the need to protect Chris so she took a small step to the right to try and block him from Kevin's view.

"I think I have a right to know who my wife is spending time her with these days." Kevin replied, his eyes sliding over to meet hers.

Kristen laughed bitterly.  "Yet who you spend your time with, is none of my business." She stated.  "As you've pointed out on several occasions, isn't that right?" She asked.  Kevin's blue eyes narrowed dangerously and Kristen's heart pounded nervously in her chest.  "You lost the right to know any of my business a long time ago Kevin." She told him.  "I no longer have to answer to you about anything."

"Does he know who you really are?" Kevin inquired.

"What does that mean?" Kristen asked, taken back by his question.  "Who am I?" Besides the fool that was stupid enough to fall for your lies? She thought, once again wondering how she could have been so blind all the years she had known this man.  How had she allowed herself to be so duped by him?  To play along in this sick, twisted game he was playing? 

"Does he know you're selfish and lazy and all you care about is work?" Kevin asked as he took a step closer to her.  "Does he know you're a lousy housekeeper and you can't cook to save your life?" He continued as he took another step towards her.  "Does he know you're a failure when it comes to performing in the bedroom?"

Kristen lifted her hand and slapped him before she could stop herself.  The sting of her hand as it connected with his skin matching the sting of the words he hurled at her.  "How dare you." She hissed.  "Why are you here?" She asked him again.  "What made you decide to find out where I'm living," she questioned, her voice rising sharply, "show up unannounced, and then stand here and insult me in front of a friend of mine--someone you don't even know?  Why the hell are you here?!" She exclaimed.  "Why?  Why do insist on continuing to make my life miserable?  Why can't you just--"

"Hey! Keep it down out here, or I'm callin' the cops."

They all turned to look at the man who opened the door of the apartment across the landing from Kristen's in surprise.  Kristen felt her cheeks warm in instant humiliation.  Before she'd married Kevin and had been living on her own, she'd always looked down on the people in the apartment complexes she'd lived in who had no self-control and fought and yelled at all hours of the night, their arguments often spilling outside of their apartments--making their neighbors unwilling participants in their loud and dysfunctional relationships. 

She was now one of "those people" and she wanted a giant hole to open up and swallow her whole. 

"I am so sorry." Kristen apologized to her neighbor--a man she'd never met before and one whom she would forever be embarrassed to run into after tonight.  She put her head down as she reached for Chris' hand that she had dropped when she'd slapped Kevin, and pushed past her jackass of a husband--walking towards her door.  Her other hand dug into her purse searching for her keys.  She fumbled with the lock for a moment before finally opening the door and all but pulling Chris inside with her as she turned around to face Kevin.  "I want you to leave." She told him firmly.  He opened his mouth to say something but she cut him off.  "I want you to leave or I'm calling the police." And with that she slammed the door in his face.      

~~~~~~~~~

Chris stood in silence in the middle of Kristen's front room--still trying to process what had just happened.  One minute they had been kissing and teasing each other, the next she was getting yelled at and verbally attacked by her estranged husband.  He watched as Kristen slumped back against the door.  She covered her face with her hands and it was hard not to miss their trembling.  Her heavy breathing filled the silent apartment as she fought to control her anger and emotions and Chris wanted to just wrap his arms around her, kidnap her and take her back to his house-vowing to protect her and keep Kevin from every getting to her again. 

But he knew he couldn't do that.

This was a battle she needed to fight and she amazed him.  She had told him briefly some of what her husband had done, and was doing, but it wasn't until right now that Chris really understood what she was going through.  To have to constantly put up with the nasty head games that Kevin was playing with her and still be able to laugh and enjoy life was an amazing feat.  But Chris wasn't sure how much more Kristen could take.  There was a limit to what a person could withstand mentally and emotionally take.  Hell, he had been ready to jump over her and pound the guy into the pavement when Kevin had had the nerve to call her a slut. 

It's a good thing she's blocking the door right now.  He thought as he looked around and finally set the bag from dinner that Kristen had dropped earlier on the coffee table.  Walking over to her, Chris put his arms around her and pulled her against his chest.   She didn't resist and, as he felt her trembling in his arms, he knew she was at her breaking point.  What is his deal?  Chris wondered as he lowered his head--his lips brushing against her temple as he ran his hands up and down her back, hugging her close.  Kristen burrowed against him, desperately seeking the comfort he was offering. 

"I'm not a slut." Her whispered words tore at his heart.  "I'm not a slut." She repeated, shaking her head slightly as if trying to convince herself of their truth.

"No." Chris said, placing the fingers of one hand under her chin as he forced her to look up at him.  The sight of the tears in her beautiful brown eyes made his chest hurt.  "You're not." He insisted. 

She looked at him for a moment, as if she had never seen him before.  "Why are you here?" She asked him, her question catching him off guard.  Had she somehow developed amnesia in the last five minutes? 

"I, uh..." He stalled, as he looked at her closely--wondering what he should say.  What kind of answer was she looking for?  "Well...you offered to shared your cheesecake with me, remember?" He teased with a grin, hoping that humor was the way to go.  If he could get her laughing again, maybe she would snap out of this funk she was now in and be the happy, sparkling-eyed girl he was falling for once again.

"No." Kristen shook her head as she pushed away from him.  Chris' arms dropped to his sides and he shoved his hands into his pockets as he looked at her.  "I mean, why are you here?" She asked as she brushed her hands over her face then folded her arms over her chest.  "You just saw firsthand how crazy and...and...messed up my life is."  She looked at him--her brown eyes pleading for understanding while her bottom lip trembled slightly.  "Why are you here?  Why haven't you run screaming in the other direction yet?  Why do you want to be with me?"    

Chris sighed and looked down at the floor.  He took one hand out of his pocket and lifted it-pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger as he closed his eyes.  The answer to her question was on the tip of tongue but he wasn't sure he could say the words.  He had vowed a long time ago that he would never be in this situation again--that he would never have the need to say what he was about to say to her.  Oh how quickly the mighty fall.  He mused with a wry chuckle.  Served him right for thinking he could just opt out of life and somehow evade fate. 

Slowly he lifted his head and looked at her, their brown eyes connecting.  His heart was pounding in his chest and he wondered if Kristen could hear how loudly it was beating.  Time to ante up, Kirkpatrick.  A voice in the back of his head stated.  Are you playing or are you going to fold? 

Kristen sighed as she ran her hands through her hair.  "I just don't understand why--"

"Because I love you."

~~~~~~~~~

The room was spinning. 

Kristen's hands paused in her hair and her jaw dropped as the words left his mouth.  Words she hadn't heard in a long time.  Words she didn't think she would ever hear again.  Words she never expected to hear from the man currently standing in front of her.   Her eyes widened as she looked at him.  I need to sit down.  She thought but they both remained standing--staring at each other, unable to move.  The words he had uttered hung between them as he waited for some kind of reaction from her. 

And he looked terrified. 

Kristen could see the fear and vulnerability in his eyes and she knew how much courage it had taken him to say those three little words.  She had a hard time uttering them herself.  Three little words.  Eight simple letters that alone meant nothing, but when combined as they had just been, had the power to forever alter and change the course of human life.  The silence stretching between them was deafening, but Kristen couldn't move.  She couldn't speak.  She couldn't breathe.  Out of all the reasons he could have given as to why he had decided he wanted to spend time with her, this was the one that had been at the bottom of the list.  He was a self-proclaimed bachelor--happily content to spend his days jumping from party to party as he'd said himself on numerous occasions, never wanting to be tied down again in a relationship. 

Yet somehow, she had managed to tie him down.

"I, uh..." Chris finally broke the silence between them as he chuckled nervously--one hand lifting to rub the back of his neck.  "I-I..." he pursed his lips tightly, his brow furrowing as he looked down at the floor. 

Kristen took the step that separated them and reached out.  Placing her hands on his face she forced him to look at her.  His eyes met hers hesitantly and she could see the flush of embarrassment on his cheeks. 

"I-I didn't...I didn't mean for it to just...come out...like that." He stuttered.  "I...I just..."

Kristen silenced him as she leaned forward, pressing her lips against his.  She could feel his surprise in her reaction but he was quick to cover it up as he kissed her back--his hands lifting to gently brush against her face as he threaded his fingers in her hair.  Kristen pulled back slightly, her forehead resting against his as she took several deep breaths. 

"Is it too soon?" Chris asked quietly.

She lifted her head and opened her eyes to look at him.  Kristen shook her head.  "It's too...." She trailed off as she tilted her head to one side.  "Complicated." She finally stated with an incredulous chuckle. 

"Well, we agreed to no rules, right?" Chris asked as he kissed her again.  "So that means anything goes."

Kristen laughed again as she put her arms around his neck and hugged him.  "For not having any rules things just got really complicated."

End Notes:
thoughts? reactions?   I love each and every one of you who are reading this and leave me awesome reviews!  :)
Chapter 16 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
I'm on a roll...go me!  This chapter was kind of fun to write.  It's mostly a filler chapter, but we get to see a little bit more of Kristen's personality  :)
"Dude, for real?" Justin's incredulous voice carried over the phone Saturday morning.  "You called my wife and tried to talk her into seducing me into going along with this plan of yours?"

"Damn, she told you?  She wasn't supposed to...I mean...what?" Chris asked innocently as he flopped down on his couch a few days later.  "I don't know what you're talking about.  She's crazy."

"Yeah.  Right.  Whatever, Kirkpatrick." Justin replied and Chris could almost picture the younger man rolling his eyes and shaking his head.

"For real." Chris insisted.  "I've been trying to tell you all along, J.  Aubrey?  She's crazy, man!  I don't know why you married her..."

"Careful." Justin warned with a laugh.  "Don't dig a hole so big you can't get out of it.  You insult her anymore and I'm going to have to fly down there and beat your ass up."

"Think you can take me?" Chris chuckled as he stretched his legs out in front of him and leaned his head back against the couch--staring up at the ceiling.

"I own you!" Justin replied.  "Do I need to remind you how many times I've beaten you over the years?"

"That's because I let you." Chris told him. 

"Let me...oh, hell no!" Justin exclaimed.

"You were young and I didn't want to bruise your fragile ego." Chris continued.  "So I let you win."

Justin laughed.  "You keep telling yourself that, old man, but we both know that ain't the truth."

"So, did it work?" Chris asked.

"Yeah, just change the subject..." Justin trailed off and Chris chuckled. "Did what work?" Justin questioned.  "Aubrey seducing me?  Hell, man!  She does that every day.  If you really wanted her to talk me into doing something for you, you should have told her to hold out on me.  Then I really would have known something was up. And I would have done whatever the hell she wanted me to do!" He confessed with a chuckle. 

"I'll remember that for next time." Chris promised, laughing.  "You do realize that you two have been married now for almost a year, right?" He asked.  "Isn't the honeymoon stage supposed to be over by now?"

"Shit, I don't know." Justin replied with a chuckle.  "I've never been married before.  I have no idea how this is supposed to go, but I'm not complaining that's for sure!"

"I wouldn't be complaining, either." Chris remarked.

"That's right, I know you're jealous." Justin countered, still laughing.  "Ever think of breaking out of bachelorhood and finding a girl again?  Or a guy," he teased.  "Whatever may be the case.  I know you've dated some in the past but since Danielle..." Justin trailed off.  He cleared his throat.  "Anyway...you're missing out." 

"Yeah, actually, I--" Chris began, a smile coming to his face as he thought about Kristen.

"You really want to do this again?" Justin asked, cutting Chris off.  Chris chuckled to himself as he rolled his eyes.  He put one hand behind his head as he shifted on the couch--settling lower into the cushions.  He had always been the one in the group that had been accused of having A.D.D. but if anyone had trouble focusing on one thing at a time and sitting still for long periods of time it was the baby of the group.  If it wasn't singing, it was acting.  If it wasn't acting, it was golf.  If it wasn't golf it was the clothing line.  Or the record label.  Or the restaurant. Chris didn't know how Aubrey put up with Justin's constant need to always be on the run and doing something.  They boy didn't know when to stop sometimes.   

"Yeah," Chris replied.  "Yeah, I do."  He nodded.

"Why?" Justin questioned. 

"Because I think it would fun." Chris answered.  "And I've..." he paused, wondering how to give Justin information but not too much information. 

The more he said about Kristen the more he was opening himself up for being teased.  He'd spent the better part of his life around Justin and the other guys in the group.  The five of them were worse than women when it came to gossiping about each other and the teasing between them could get ruthless at times.  If he said too much about Kristen, Justin could get suspicious.  If he knew anything about Rachel, Chris would put money down on the fact that she had said something to Aubrey, when she and JC had gotten home a few weeks ago, about the girl that Chris was interested in.  Aubrey may or may not have passed the information on to Justin and if Chris said anything to substantiate the rumors all hopes of keeping his relationship with Kristen quiet went right out the window.  Aside from having A.D.D. Justin had the biggest mouth out of all of them.

Why are you so concerned about everyone finding out? A small inner voice asked.  You love her, don't you?

Yes. He answered himself. 

Then why keep it a secret? The voice asked again.

Because I don't know if she loves me. Chris thought, a sense of disappointment filling him. 

After the admission of his feelings to her a few nights ago, Chris had been waiting for Kristen to tell him how she felt about him.  But she hadn't.  She hadn't thrown him out of her apartment and their relationship really hadn't changed any, but the absence of those three words coming from her mouth made him wonder.  He really couldn't blame her for not saying them--he'd seen firsthand the emotional abuse she'd been suffering at the hands of her husband--and he knew, though she hadn't said so, that he had probably been too hasty in telling her he loved her.  Who says they're in love after only three weeks?  He scoffed internally.  Another aspect in which he and the rest of the guys of N SYNC were worse than women: they all seemed to fall fast and hard for the significant others in their lives.

"Chris?" Justin questioned, his voice shaking Chris from his musings.  "You still there?  Did we get disconnected?  Damn T-Mobile." Justin grumbled.  "I told Aubrey I didn't want to switch providers but she insisted..."

"I'm here." Chris chuckled.  "Calm down."

"What happened?" Justin asked.  "Where'd you go?"

"Nowhere." Chris replied.  "I didn't go anywhere.  I was just...thinking.  What was I saying?"

"You were telling me why you want to get us all together again for another charity game." Justin stated.

"Right." Chris nodded.  "I've, uhm...well I've met someone who works for the Children's Hospital here in Orlando." He continued.  "And she...well we were talking one night and she was telling me about some of the events they're working on and planning right now to raise funds and I mentioned I was thinking about getting our Charity For The Children games going again."  Chris went on to explain the conversations he and Kristen had had about putting together the event to raise funds for the hospital.  Justin seemed to be interest in the idea so he asked, "What do you think?" 

"I don't know, man." Justin said with a sigh.  "It sounds great and you know me-I'm always up for playing some basketball but..." he trailed off.  "When...when are you thinking this is all going to happen?"

"Why?" Chris question with a laugh.  "You gone and made some big ass plans or something since we ended the tour last month?" He teased.

"Something." Justin agreed hesitantly.

Chris' brow furrowed in question.  "What?" He asked.  "Another solo tour?" Chris teased with a laugh.

"Maybe someday but, no." Justin replied.  "That's not it.  I just..." he sighed.  "Look, keep this quiet, okay?" He asked.

"Sure." Chris agreed, his curiosity piqued at Justin's hesitance.  "What's going on?" 

"Aubrey and I..." Again the younger man paused. 

"Aubrey and you?" Chris echoed.  "Just spit it out, Timberlake." He said.  "What's going on?"

"Aubrey and I are, uhm...trying to...have a baby." Justin finally admitted. 

Chris' eyebrows rose in surprise.  That's it?  He thought.  "Congratualtions, man!" He offered.

"Thanks." Justin said.  "It's, uhm...it's going to be a bit unconventional and I'm not really sure how everything's going to work so I just need to know kind of the timeline for this whole thing.  Then I can talk to Aubrey about it and see what she thinks."

Chris was confused.  "What do you mean unconventional?" He asked, the words leaving his mouth though he wasn't sure it was his place to question his friend.  What business was it of his if Justin and his wife were working on starting a family? Or how they were going to do it.

"Aubrey's going to kill me." Justin muttered under his breath.

"Well, I don't want that." Chris replied with a chuckle.  "I don't want Aubrey going to jail for manslaughter." He teased.  "She's too sweet and innocent, she wouldn't last an hour in a place like that."

"You got that right." Justin agreed with a chuckle.  "It's, uhm...we're doing it via surrogate." He stated.

"Surrogate?" Chris questioned. 

"Yeah."

"Okay.  Whatever." Chris mused then shrugged his shoulders.  "It's, uhm...it's probably going to be sometime early summer.  May or June--something like that.  Will that work?"

"I'll have to talk to Aubrey about it." Justin said.  "I'll give you a call in a few days and let you know, okay?"

"Sounds good." Chris nodded.  The two men talked for a few more minutes about random and inconsequential things until Justin said he had to go.  They ended the call and Chris tossed his phone from hand to hand.  He was one step closer to getting this whole thing off the ground.  He knew Justin would agree--Chris had heard it in his friend's voice, and he had Aubrey on his side who thought it was a great idea and had promised to do what she could to convince Justin to participate.  Now I've just got to go talk to that guy at the hospital.  He thought, and with that thought his mind turned to the subject that had been a constant topic of his for the last three weeks. 

Kristen. 

With a grin lifting the corners of his mouth, Chris quickly dialed her number and lifted the phone to his ear.  He had a sudden need and desire to hear her voice-to see how her day was going so far-and see if she wanted to go out tonight. 

"Hey, you!" She said in greeting when she answered his call. 

"Hey, Vanilla." He replied, using the nickname he'd given and taken to calling her.  She laughed and his smile widened.  "What are you doing tonight?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not surprised, not everything lasts
I've broken my heart so many times I stopped keeping track
Talk myself in, I talk myself out
I get all worked up then I let myself down

I tried so very hard not to lose it
I came up with a million excuses
I thought, I thought of every possibility

"And I know some day that it'll all turn out." Kristen sang out as she began to dance in front of her kitchen counter.  She snipped open the bag of chocolate chips in her hand with a pair of scissors and poured them into the bowl in front of her.  "You'll make me work so we can work to work it out.  And I promise you, kid, that I give so much more than I get.  I just haven't met you yet."  She continued to sing along as she began stirring the chocolate chips into the oatmeal cookie batter she was making. 

I might have to wait, I'll never give up
I guess it's half timing and the other half's luck
Wherever you are, whenever it's right
You'll come out of nowhere and into my life

And I know that we can be so amazing
And baby your love is going to change me
And now I can see every possibility

Somehow I know that it'll all turn out
You'll make me work so we can work to work it out
And promise you kid I'll give so much more than I get
I just haven't met you yet

Her lips turned up in a smile as she kept dancing and singing along to the song that had become a recent favorite of hers.  For the first time in over a year she felt like herself again.  She felt free--like a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders.  Nothing in her life had changed.  Kevin was still bent on making her life hell and she was still no closer to seeing the light at the end of this divorce tunnel she was in, Chris loved her and that fact had changed everything.  She hadn't realized, until he had said those three little words to her, how smothered and suffocated she had been with Kevin.  She had changed so much of who she was in her attempt to gain her husband's approval over the years they had been together that she had lost pieces of herself.  The changes had happened little by little--so slowly she hadn't realized until now-and she was disappointed in herself.  She shouldn't have to change.  For anyone. 

They say all's fair in love and war
But I won't need to fight it
We'll get it right and we'll be united

And I know that we can be so amazing
And being in your life is going to change me
And now I can see every single possibility

And someday I know it'll all turn out
And I'll work to work it out
Promise you kid I'll give more than I get

"Sing to me, Michael!" Kristen exclaimed as she took a spoon out of the silverware drawer.  She danced around as she ate a huge bite of cookie dough.  Sliding across the kitchen floor in her socks, Kristen giggled as she almost fell over.  "Woah!" She laughed as she grabbed onto the counter.  "How about we just concentrate on making cookies instead of dancing around like an idiot, trying to kill yourself?" She said out loud.  "Oh brother." She rolled her eyes.  "If Chris should see me now..."  She shook her head at her herself--still laughing-as she dropped spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto a cookie tray then put the tray into the oven.  She had just set the timer when there was a knock at her door. 

"Ooo!" She said, doing an excited little skip as she left the kitchen.  "I wonder who that is!"

Walking towards the door Kristen shivered, suddenly feeling cold.  She looked down at herself and stopped dead in her tracks.  "What the...brilliant, Kristen!  Brilliant." She said, smacking her hand against her forehead.  A second knock came at the door.  "Hold on!" Kristen called out as she did a quick turn and ran back towards her bedroom.  "Be right there!"  She grabbed her basketball shorts from the clothes hamper and pulled them on then walked back out to the front door.  "Can't believe I almost answered the door in just a T-shirt, my underwear and a pair of socks!"

Kristen ran her hand through her hair as she opened the door, signed, and accepted the box the FedEx guy gave her.  "Thank you." She said, closing the door.  "What did I order?" She wondered aloud as she set the box on the kitchen table.  Skipping into the kitchen she grabbed the pair of scissors she had used to open the bag of chocolate chips and went back to the table.  Opening the box Kristen squealed excitedly.  "Boots!!"  She exclaimed as she pulled the pair of black leather, knee-length boots she had seen online a few weeks ago and had ordered.  She hugged the shoes to her chest for a moment then sat down on the floor and pulled them on.  She wasn't normally one to buy shoes over the internet--how did you know they fit and that they looked good on you unless you were able to actually try them on?--but when she'd seen these she knew she had to get them.

"Now that's sexy!" She proclaimed as she leaned back on her hands and put first one leg than the other up into the air--admiring how the boots looked on her.  She stood up and looked down at herself and giggled.  "Basketball shorts and boots.  Damn right, I'm hot!"  Her phone rang and she turned to grab it from off the counter behind her.  She smiled.  "And speaking of hot...." She murmured as she saw Chris's name on the screen. 

"Hey, you!" She said in greeting as she answered the call. 

"Hey, Vanilla." He replied, using the nickname he'd given and taken to calling her.  Kristen laughed.  "What are you doing tonight?"

"I didn't have any plans," she replied as she pulled out a chair and sat down at the table.  "Except finding somewhere to wear these fantastic boots I just bought!" She said as she stretched her legs out so she could admire them some more.

"Boots?" Chris asked, making a noise of interest. 

"Mmm-hmm." Kristen hummed. 

"What do they look like?"

"Sexy." Kristen replied.  "Four inch heels, black leather, knee-length..." Chris groaned and she giggled. 

"Wanna go out tonight?" He asked.  "Put those sexy boots to some good use?"

"Definitely." She nodded.  "What are you thinking?"  The timer went off on the oven and she stood and walked into the kitchen.  Sandwiching the phone between her ear and her shoulder she opened the oven door, inhaling appreciatively as the smell of oatmeal chocolate chips cookies escaped.  "Mmmmm...." She moaned as she set the hot tray on the stove top.

"What?" Chris asked.  "What's going on over there?" He inquired.  "First with the leather boots and now with you moaning in my ear...I'm beginning to wonder about you." He teased.

"Mmmm...I just pulled a tray of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies out of the oven." Kristen told him.  "Wanna come over?"

"Be there in ten." He said and she laughed as the call was immediately disconnected. 

Kristen moved the cookies from the tray over to a couple of cooling racks with a spatula, put more dough on the tray and stuck the tray back into the oven.  Setting the timer once more Kristen took a warm cookie and shoved it into her mouth as she hurried into her bedroom, jumping as she tugged the boots off her feet.  She didn't want Chris to see them until she figured out the outfit she was going to wear them with tonight.  She was just pulling her hair back, securing it with a ponytail holder, when a knock came at her door again.  She smiled as she hurried to the door. 

"Twelve minutes." She told Chris as she opened the door and leaned against it-looking over her shoulder at the clock on the wall.  "You're losing your edge, Kirkpatrick." She teased, turning her eyes back to him.

Chris narrowed his eyes at her as he stepped into the apartment.  "It was that damn light on Sand Lake.  It has it out for me.  Take it up with the city." He replied.  Kristen chuckled as she closed the door then turned to look at Chris. 

"I'll do that." She said as she stepped towards him.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she wound her arms around his neck.  Chris put his arms around her waist and tugged her close--his lips meeting hers.  Kristen moaned as she kissed him back.  What was it about this man that got her so hot and bothered all the time?  It wasn't like it had been a million years since the last time he had kissed her.  Hell, they'd spent time together almost every night this week but ever since Monday night, when he'd told her he loved her, it was like someone had turned the fire up a notch inside her when it came to Chris--she couldn't get enough of him. 

"You started without me." He said as he pulled back slightly. 

"Huh?" Kristen asked, blinking a few times as she looked at him in question.  He lifted one hand, his thumb smudging over the corner of her mouth.  He then held his thumb up in front of her--showing her the chocolate he had removed from her skin.  Kristen's stomach quivered as she looked at him.  She wrapped her fingers around his wrist and brought his hand closer.  Putting his thumb in her mouth, Kristen closed her lips around his finger--sucking the chocolate off as their eyes remained locked.  Chris released a groan that made her body temperature rise about ten degrees as she pulled his thumb out of her mouth.

"Damn, girl." He exclaimed, exhaling heavily.  "You really are trying to kill me, aren't you?" He asked.

Kristen laughed.  "You're the only hope I have of putting together this kick ass, N SYNC reunion, basketball charity game to help raise funds for my hospital." She grinned.  "Why would I want to kill you?"

Chris threw back his head as he laughed.  "You're crazy." He remarked. "Now, show me the cookies."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you want to dance?"  Chris asked, his voice rose above the music pounding through the club that night.  Kristen shook her head as she pressed the glass in her hand to her lips.  "In a minute." She told him.  "After I finish my drink." She smiled as she took another drink.  Crossing her right leg over her left, Kristen leaned towards him--her hand resting on his leg.  Chris leaned towards her, his lips easily connecting with hers and Kristen moaned as the alcohol on his tongue mixed with what she'd already drunk.  She set her glass on the table as she then put both her hands on his face.  Chris put his arm around her--pulling her closer.  Kristen tilted her head to the side as the kiss deepened between them.    

"Crazy girl." Chris growled quietly, his lips releasing hers as they both struggled for breath.  Kristen giggled as she slowly opened her eyes.  She licked her lips as she looked at him.  Damn, he's sexy.  She sighed in appreciation as she stroked his cheek with her hand.  Her eyes delved into his--her heart pounding in her chest.  She kissed him again then leaned her forehead against his. "I lo--"   

"Hey, is this guy bothering you?"  Kristen jumped in surprise at the masculine voice interrupting her and Chris.  She looked over her shoulder then turned around fully when she recognized the man talking to her-her jaw hanging open slightly.  "Because he's been a pain in my ass for about the last twenty years."

"Oh, shit." Chris exclaimed with a laugh.  "Don't listen to a word he says about me." He told her. 

Kristen looked at Chris as Joey Fatone sat down next to her in the booth then turned back to look at the man who had been Chris' bandmate and friend for years.  "Hi." He said, extending his hand to her--his brown eyes sparkling as he smiled at her.  "I'm Joey."

"Kristen." She said, slipping her hand into his.  She felt Chris shift beside her.

"Kristen?" Joey said, one eyebrow quirking up as he looked past her to Chris as he released her hand.  

"Yeah." Kristen nodded as she tucked some hair behind her ear.  Joey continued looking at Chris as he lifted the glass in his hand to his lips.  Kristen turned to look at Chris as well, her brows furrowing in question.  "Have we..." she turned back to Joey.  "Have we met before?" She asked, wondering what all the weird looks between the guys were for. 

"No." Joey said shaking his head, his attention turning back to her.  "But I've heard a lot about you." His grin widened.  "It's nice to finally meet you."  He said. 

Kristen turned to look at Chris again, her eyes narrowing slightly as their eyes met.  "What exactly have you heard about me?" She asked Joey, though she kept her eyes locked on Chris.  Kristen couldn't help grinning as Chris' cheeks warmed slightly.  She watched as he lifted the bottle in his hand to his lips, his eyes turning to look out over the dance floor.  He lifted his arm, draping it around her shoulders, and Kristen settled back against him as she turned to look at Joey again. 

"All good things, I promise." Joey replied. 

"Uh-huh." Kristen nodded.  "Well, uhm...what...what are you up to?" She asked, knowing the question was dumb but she didn't know what to say to the guy.  She had gotten past the fact that Chris was a celebrity--she'd spent enough time with him on an intimate (sometimes very intimate) basis that he was just a regular guy to her now--but Joey still had that superstar quality surrounding him that flustered her slightly. 

"Yeah, Joe." Chris piped up.  "What are you up to?"

"Havin' a drink, doin' some dancing, partying like a rock star." Joey replied.  "What about you guys?"

"Havin' a drink, doin' some dancing, partying like rock stars." Chris echoed. 

Kristen chuckled.  "I'm here to show off my new boots!" She supplied, the alcohol she had previously consumed beginning to kick in--loosening her tongue and her inhibitions a bit.  Chris laughed and Joey leaned back as he looked under the table.

"Mmmm..." Joey hummed, looking back up at Kristen.  "Sexy." He nodded, smiling in approval as he took another drink.

"Careful, man." Chris commented, his arm tightening slightly around Kristen.  Kristen smiled at his show of possession.  Normally she didn't like it when guys went into caveman mode, but with Chris it was different.  She liked the feeling of knowing he was publicly staking his claim on her.  "What would Kelly say?"

"She'd say they were sexy, too." Joey answered with a grin, his brown eyes sparkling teasingly.  Kristen laughed.  "What is it with girls and boots?" He asked with a laugh.

Kristen shrugged.  "You can never have too many pairs of boots, I always say."

"Really?" Chris asked.  "You always say that?" He questioned.  Kristen chuckled as she nudged him with her elbow.  "So...how come this is the first time I've heard you say it?" He asked as he leaned closer--his lips brushing against the sensitive skin below her ear.  Kristen shivered as he rested his chin on her shoulder.   

"I'm sure there're lots of things you haven't heard me say yet." She replied, turning her head slightly to look at him.  He kissed her cheek. 

"Are you done with your drink yet?" He asked.  "I want to dance."

Kristen chuckled as she reached for her glass on the table.  Taking a healthy swallow she finished off the alcohol then put it back down.  "Done." She told him. 

"Then let's go." Chris said, nudging her out of the booth. 

Kristen looked at Joey in apology as he had to move to let them out.  "It was nice meeting you." She said as the three of them stood beside the table. 

"You too." Joey said.  "You two should come over sometime." He offered.  "Briahna's been asking about you." He told Chris.  "Wanting to know when you're going to come over next to play Wii with her."

Chris chuckled.  "She's a monster at Mario Kart." He told Kristen.  "The little stinker almost beat me last time."

"You guys want to come over tomorrow?" Joey asked.  "You can meet the family." He said to Kristen.  "And you can defend your high score." He told Chris.

Chris looked at Kristen in question.  She shrugged, giving him a small smile.  "Sure." He said, turning to look back at Joey.  "Sounds good."

"Awesome." Joey replied, he turned and waved as someone called out his name.  "I'll see you guys later." He said then disappeared into the crowd. 

"Let's dance." Chris said.  Kristen turned to look at him but didn't move.  "What?" He asked, lifting one brow in question.  "Are you okay?"  He questioned.  Kristen continued to look at him.  She was starting to feel a little fuzzy from the alcohol, but one thing she was certain about: she'd never been so quickly and easily accepted by a man and his friends before.  Joey had spent all of ten minutes, if that, with her but Kristen got the feeling that she had been accepted just the way she was--hell, the man had just invited her to come over and meet his family!--and that acceptance meant the world to her.  She knew Chris wouldn't make her change, wouldn't expect for her to change, and she loved him for that. 

She loved him.

Her heart fluttered in her chest.

Kristen put her hands on Chris' face as she leaned forward and kissed him.  He grunted in surprise but wrapped his arms around her waist as he kissed her back enthusiastically.  Kristen pulled back after a moment and he looked at her in question. 

"Not that I'm complaining or anything," he said.  "But what was that for?"

Kristen grinned as she kissed him once more.  "I love you." She said.  Chris looked at her in surprise and she giggled as a smile spread across his face.  "Come on." She said, grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the dance floor.   "Let's dance."        

End Notes:

song credit "Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael Buble (damn, I love that man's voice...sigh...)

tell me what you think!  I love reading your reviews  :)

Chapter 17 by azchickadee
"Say it again." He breathed, his lips roaming over her neck and shoulders.  The intoxicating scent that was unique to her, surrounded him.  She let out a breathy moan, her back arching as his hands slipped beneath the green halter top she was wearing and his desire flared. His hands caressed her smooth, warm skin as he shifted atop her--the sheets rustling along with their movements. 

When she'd said those words to him earlier, before leading him out onto the dance floor, Chris had been certain he was hearing things.  He hadn't expected it to mean as much as it did to hear those words from her, but it had.  He had wanted to hear her say them again all evening--hoping to convince himself she had really uttered them--but the loud music and crowd of people around them at the club had prevented any more intimate moments between them.

Until now.

Kristen had followed him out of the club almost an hour ago, more than a little bit drunk, and he had taken her home.  Much like the first time he had done so, Kristen had kissed him on her doorstep and now here they were-tongues and limbs tangled as pieces of clothing were subsequently being removed. 

"I love..." Kristen trailed off, another moan escaping as she moved beneath him.  Her lips pulled at his ear.  Chris pulled back slightly to look down at her.  He rested his weight on his forearms as he waited for her to finish that statement-anticipation filling him.

"Mmm..." she hummed as she wiggled slightly and Chris closed his eyes--chewing on his bottom lip as he hung his head slightly--a sweet mixture of pleasure and pain filling him.  If she doesn't stop moving I'm going to--

"I love..." she trailed off again, her words cutting off his thoughts.  Her hands slid up his chest and around his neck.  Once again she sucked his ear into her mouth.  He felt her left leg hitch over his hip and he groaned as that movement brought them even closer together.  He opened his eyes and looked down at her once more.  Slowly her eyes opened as she looked up at him coyly through her lashes--mischief sparkling in the chocolate depths.  Devilish little minx.  He thought as he brushed his fingertips over her cheekbones.  She knows exactly what she does to me...

"I love..."

"I would love it if you would finish that statement." He finally replied, his frustration apparent in the clipped tone of his words.  Kristen giggled. 

"I love...these boots!" She exclaimed as she lifted her left leg straight up in the air--her head moving slightly to admire her footwear.   

Chris groaned as he slumped against her-his head coming to rest on her shoulder.  "I hate you." He muttered under his breath.  "You and your damn boots!"

Kristen laughed as she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed the side of his head.  "No you don't." She replied confidently.  "You love me.  You said so yourself and once you say it, you can't take it back."

Chris lifted his head, his eyes meeting hers.  "Is that right?" He asked.

"Mmm-hmm." Kristen hummed as she nodded.  Her eyes moved up slightly as she combed her fingers through his hair.  Chris fought the desire to close his eyes and give in to her touch.

"So..." He drawled and her eyes flicked back to his.  "When you said the same thing to me earlier..." he trailed off, the question hanging between them.  Her smiled faded slowly as the tension between them thickened.  "You can't take it back." He said quietly, echoing her words as a reminder.  He watched as her tongue flicked out, wetting her bottom lip, and noticed the way her breathing had picked up.  "Say it again." He coaxed as he bent his head, his lips brushing against hers softly--his eyes never leaving hers.

"I love you." She told him, her words escaping with a soft sigh--her warm breath fanning across his lips.  The short distance between them disappeared as he captured her mouth.  Kristen moved beneath him--her hands pushing against his chest-and Chris soon found himself with his back against the mattress as she straddled him.  The seal of their lips never broke.  He smoothed his hands up and over her legs and hips then up her back until he wound his fingers through her thick curls, keeping her pressed against him--their tongues dancing together.  He could taste the alcohol she had consumed and that, combined with the flavor that was all her own, soon had his head spinning in a cloudy fog.

She finally pulled back.  Chris opened his eyes.  He looked at her as she sat up--both of them struggling for breath.  His hands fell down to grip her hips as she crossed her arms in front of her and pulled the green halter top up and over her head.  His fingers itched to reach up and remove her bra, but he groaned instead as she shimmied her way down his legs a bit and slipped her hands beneath the hem of his T-shirt.  Their eyes remained lock as she slid the material upwards--her fingertips grazing his skin and raising goosebumps--as she uncovered his chest. 

Once his shirt was removed, and she had tossed it off the side of the bed, Kristen placed her warm mouth against his.  Their lips met in the perfect way he had become addicted to over the last month and he wondered how he had gone so long without feeling this kind of connection with another person.  It had been years since he had given in to his emotions so completely--had given up all sense of control and had thrown caution to the wind--and he suddenly couldn't remember why he'd decided he didn't want to bother with relationships anymore.  He had forgotten what it felt like to be with someone who loved you--who accepted who you were and wanted to be with you.  He had become so focused over the years on all the negative aspects of being in a relationship that he had forgotten all the good that came.

Kristen's lips left his a moment later and he frowned slightly in disappointment, until she began moving down his body-her mouth burning a trail down his neck and throat and over his chest.  His hands came up, his fingers once more tangling in her hair, as she continued to render him completely helpless to her whims.  He wondered if she knew the amount of power she had over him.  For a man who had once prided himself over the fact that he didn't need to be in a relationship to be happy...he was pretty damn happy at the moment.  Kristen moved up, her lips connecting with his again.  Chris rolled them again--pressing her back against the mattress.  He pulled back and looked down at her.  Her eyes slowly opened and he found himself completely hypnotized by her. 

A fact that didn't scare him like it used to.

"Have I ever told you how much I love your tattoos?" Kristen asked, interrupting his thoughts.  He chuckled as he leaned back, propping himself up on his elbow. 

"No." Chris shook his head.

"Well, I do." She replied.  She ran her fingers over the arm that he had draped across her stomach, tracing the design of the Celtic cross he had tattooed there.  "They've always been my weakness." She confessed.

"My tattoos?" He questioned teasingly.  "They've always been your weakness?" 

"Yes." She nodded.  He looked at her in question and she laughed.  "I mean..." she shook her head.  "Not yours specifically-although I love yours and I think you're incredibly sexy--but tattoos in general." She clarified.  He shivered slightly as her fingers kept brushing over his arms and she grinned when she saw his reaction.

"Yet, you don't have any." He pointed out--his eyes roaming over her body that now laid spread out before him.  His lips lifted slightly as he imagined her getting a tattoo.  Talk about sexy.  He thought.  His hand gripped her waist as he tugged her closer to him.

"No." She shook her head.  "I don't think I could actually get one, but I always seem to find myself attracted to guys who have them."  Chris' brows furrowed in question as he thought about what she'd just said.  "What's that look for?" Kristen asked as she reached up--smoothing away the crease between his eyes with her fingers.  "I thought you'd like it that I found your tattoos sexy." She teased, trying to make him smile.

"No, it's not that." He shook his head.  "I just..." He trailed off--hesitant to voice the thought he'd had.  He didn't want to ruin the moment between them.  "You say you like guys with tattoos but..."

"But?" Kristen asked, looking at him expectantly.

He was quiet for a moment, debating.  "Kevin..." He began. 

"Kevin isn't the tattoo type, right?" She asked, cutting in and guessing his thoughts. 

He nodded.    "I know it's...it's not really my business, but..." He trailed off again.

She sighed heavily.  "But why did I marry him?" She asked--again guessing his thoughts.  Chris nodded again.  The silence stretched between them as they looked at each other.

"When he was here the other night," Chris said, breaking the silence.  "The way he treated you--the things he said to you--I just don't understand.  Why?" He asked, lifting his hand to brush the back of his fingers across her cheek.  "Why did you...why were you..."

"Why was I stupid enough to be with him?" She asked.

"I didn't say you were stupid." Chris countered.  "You know what?"  He shook his head.  "Forget I asked.  Like I said, it's none of my business and I--"

"It's okay." She assured him.  She put her hand on his face as she looked up at him.  "It's, uh...it's no more than I've wondered and asked myself over the last six months."  She looked at him for a moment and he could almost see the thoughts tumbling around in her head.  "He, uh..." she shrugged and broke eye contact with him.  "He was different...when we first met.  He...he was different than most of the guys I went out with and was attracted to.  I, uhm...I thought I loved him but, uh...the more..." she cleared her throat and shifted slightly in embarrassment.  "I look back on everything now--now that I know who he is and that he was lying to me the whole time-and I wonder...how could I have been so blind?  You know...I'm an intelligent human being.  I talk and interact with people all day.  I used to think I was good at reading people but now..." she shook her head and closed her eyes in self-recrimination. 

"I shouldn't have...brought it up." He told her as he put his fingers beneath her chin.  She opened her eyes and looked at him.  "We all have our pasts and God knows I've made more than my fair share of mistakes.  I just..."  He leaned down and kissed her deeply.  "Kristen." He sighed, resting his forehead against hers.  "When he said those things to you.  When he called you a...a..."

"A slut?" She supplied. 

He winced as the word left her mouth.  "You're not a slut." He told her, leaning back just enough to look into her eyes.  "I wanted to kill him."  He admitted.  Kristen looked at him--eyes widening and mouth hanging open slightly.  "I've never been a violent man." He stated.  "But that night...that night I wanted to kill him."

"You would have done that?" She asked.  "Seriously?  You would have killed him?"  He nodded.  "You would have risked going to jail?  For me?"

"Darlin' I'm willing to risk just about anything for you." He confessed.  Kristen's lips turned up slightly. 

"Mmmm....you're a smooth one." She drawled as she lifted her hand and stroked it over his cheek.  "How many girls have you sweet talked into sleeping with you like this?"

Chris was tempted to feel offended, until he saw the teasing sparkle in her beautiful eyes.  He grinned as he moved atop her again.  "Girl..." he growled as he bent his head, devouring her neck.  Kristen giggled as she wound her arms around his neck.  "You're the only one I've ever considered going to jail for." He told her, his lips moving along her jaw.  "And you're the only one I will go to jail for." He stated as his lips found hers.  "I love you."

"Mmmm..." Kristen moaned as he kissed her deeply.  "I love you." She replied.

"Enough to go to jail for me?" He asked as he continued kissing her. 

"Mmm-hmm." She hummed.

"Show me." He demanded.

"Take off these boots of mine and I will." She promised. 

Chris laughed as he kissed her once more.  "Think you can bear being separated from them?" He teased.  "I know how much you love them."

"It's going to be difficult." She agreed with a nod of her head.  "But I think I can handle it." She replied with a smile.  "Let's find out, shall we?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're going down, Short-stack!" Chris exclaimed the next afternoon as he sat on the floor in the Fatone's Family Room.  Kristen chuckled from her spot on the couch as she watched him--his tongue sticking out and a look of intense concentration on his face as his body moved, mimicking the movements of the car he was controlling on the screen.

"I'm in first place!" Ten-year-old Briana stated with a giggle. 

"Not for long." Chris replied.  "Ha-ha!" He laughed.  "Now I'm in first place!" He stuck his tongue out at the child.

"Dang it!" Briana exclaimed a moment later when the race ended.  She tossed her controller aside and laid down on the floor.  "I thought I was going to beat you this time." She told Chris. 

"You were close." He acknowledged with a grin.  "But...not today!  Muahaha!" He laughed evilly.  "I remain the Mario Kart champion!" He put his arms up.  Briana tackled Chris--pushing down as she jumped on top of him.  Chris laughed and Kristen chuckled again as she watched the two of them wrestle and roll around on the floor.  The couch shifted next to her and Kristen smiled as she looked over at Kelly. 

"Aiy, they're at it again!" Kelly rolled her eyes with a smile on her face. 

"Are they always like this?" Kristen asked with a laugh as she turned back to watching her boyfriend rolling around on the floor like a child. 

"Yes." Kelly replied with a laugh as she tucked some hair behind her ears.  "Although this," she gestured with her finger at what was going on in front of them, "is tame.  You should see him when he and the rest of the guys get together."  She snorted. 

"That bad, huh?" Kristen asked.

"Let's just say, when they all get together...it makes me wonder why I ever married Joey." Kelly laughed.  Kristen laughed with her.

"I heard that." Chris piped up.  The girls both turned to look at him.  He rolled over onto his stomach, pushing up on his forearms.  Briana straddled his back.  "And I'm gonna tell Joey you said that."

"He knows." Kelly replied with a sassy lift of one eye brow. 

"Damn!  Foiled again." He remarked. 

"Let's play again!" Briana exclaimed, jumping on Chris.  He groaned as he rolled over.

"You want to be beaten again, Munchkin?" He asked, looking up at the little girl who was smiling down at him. 

"This time I'm going to win." She told him, confidently as she scrambled off of him and grabbed the controller she had tossed aside a few moments ago.

"Team Fatone for the win." Joey said as he came into the room and sat down on the floor in front of the TV.  Briana climbed into her father's lap and handed him the controller. "You're going down Kirkpatrick."

"So..." Kelly drawled.  Kristen turned to look at the other woman as Chris and Briana became preoccupied with their video game again.  "How did you and Chris meet?" She asked, pulling her legs up beneath her. 

"I ran into him." Kristen replied.

"Literally." Chris supplied, over his shoulder though his eyes stayed glued to the screen in front of him-intent on winning again. 

Kristen chuckled as she looked at him and then back at Kelly.  "Literally, like the man says."  Kelly looked at her in question and Kristen filled her in on the first time she and Chris had met.  "Then I went out to a bar with a couple friends for karaoke, Chris was there and...one thing led to another...and here we are."

"Go, daddy!  Go!" Briana cheered her father along as he passed Chris' kart.   

The girls looked over at the three sitting on the floor in front of them.  Kelly smiled as she turned back to Kristen.  "I'm glad you ran into him." She stated. 

"Me, too." Kristen nodded as she turned her eyes back to Chris.  "Me, too."       

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And in celebrity gossip today: the last member of N SYNC may be off the market.  That's right, ladies, Chris Kirkpatrick--the self-proclaimed bachelor of the group--has been spotted around Orlando recently with a new flame.  We would like to be happy for him, but sources reveal that Kristen Miller, the brown-haired beauty who's been keeping the popstar company the last couple weeks, is married.  Yep, you heard me correctly: the lady is married.  We tried reaching Chris for comment but none of our calls were returned which leaves us to wonder: is it true?  Or just an April Fool's joke?  For E! News, I'm Katy Scott..." 

End Notes:

anyone else smell the drama that's coming?  lol....tell me wha tyou think....

:)

Chapter 18 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
another one already?  yep!  :)
"You failed to mention to me that she was married!  What the hell are you thinking, Christopher?  I can't believe--"

"I don't need you to lecture me, Rachel." Chris replied hotly, cutting off the woman's verbal attack on him.  "That's what my mother is for." He grumbled.  Ever since that damn "news report" had aired this morning, his phone had been ringing off the hook.  Magazines and newspapers wanted a statement.  Radio and TV shows wanted a statement.  And now Rachel wanted a statement.  He wasn't sure what had possessed him to answer her call, but he had.  And he regretted it.  He was now stuck, sitting on the couch while she proceeded to yell at him long distance.

"You're right." She agreed, trying to rein in her anger.  "I just..." she trailed off.  "I'm disappointed." She confessed.  "I never thought you would do something like this."

Chris groaned as he put his head back against the cushions.  She was pulling out the guilt card, but he had nothing to feel guilty about!  "Rachel," he sighed.  "You, of all people, should know by now that the story that gets reported isn't always the truth."

There was silence on the line for a moment.  "So she's not married?" She asked.  Chris grimaced, though she couldn't see his face.  "Damn it, Chris!" She swore, taking his silence for the answer that it was.  "How could you...I can't believe I helped you try to win over a married woman!" She exclaimed. 

"You don't understand." Chris countered.

"Then help me understand." She pressured.  "Help me understand why I helped you break up a marriage just because you couldn't stop thinking about this girl and just wanted to get into her pants!"

"I didn't know she was married when we first met." He defended.

"But you do now." She stated.

"Yes." He agreed.

"Then why?  Why would you continue seeing her, knowing that she's married?" Rachel questioned.

"I don't have to explain myself to you, Rachel." Chris stated.

"The hell you don't!" She replied.  "You drug me into this and I--"

"I didn't drag you into anything!" Chris shot back angrily, his temper flaring.  "It was you and your nosey ass that just had to burrow in to my life--pry into my affairs--and--"

"Huh, affairs." She snorted, jabbing at his use of that particular word.  "Nice choice of words there, popstar."

"You know what?" Chris shouted.  "I didn't ask you for help!  I didn't ask you to put your nose into my business but you did.  Like you always do."

"What is that supposed to mean?" She asked.

"It means exactly what it means." He replied.  "You can't keep your nose to yourself.  You have to have your ass in everyone's business and you're not happy unless you're messing around with people's hearts and emotions--causing trouble and stirring up what doesn't need to be stirred up!  You're lucky things worked out with Justin and Aubrey."  She was silent but Chris knew she was fuming on the other end of the line. "I honestly don't know why JC married you." He continued.  "Or why he would want to have a child with you." Rachel gasped in offence but he didn't stop.  "You're a crazy, nosey, stubborn, pain in the ass woman and I--" He was cut off mid-rant as she suddenly hung up on him.  "Gah!" He growled in frustration as he tossed his phone to the other end of the couch.  He closed his eyes and scrubbed his hands over his face then jammed his fingers into his hair.  Trying to gain control of his anger he stood and began to pace in front of the couch.

It wasn't Rachel's fault that he had fallen in love with Kristen.  Yes, she had given him the push he needed when he needed it--had given him the idea to surprise her at work--but truth be told he was already head over heels for Kristen at that point and it wouldn't have taken long for him to break down and seek her out on his own.  And it certainly wasn't Rachel's fault that their relationship had been leaked to the media.  He trusted each of the guys implicitly and knew it hadn't been any of them or their significant others who had ratted them out.  He had known that wind of his involvement with Kristen was eventually going to end up in the news--it was one of the downfalls of being who he was--but what he hadn't counted on was Kristen's current marital status being brought up as well.

Or that everything was going to be leaked so soon.

Walking over to the couch, Chris grabbed his phone and called the person he should have been talking to.

"Hey, this is Kris.  Leave a message."

Chris growled.  Ending the call he continued pacing.

He was angry and frustrated and completely overwhelmed over this whole thing.  And he didn't want to admit how much the fact that Kristen hadn't answered scared him.  He wasn't at the level of fame and popularity that Justin or JC had been and were and it had been a long time since the media had been so focused on his personal life.  Even ten years ago when N SYNC had been in their hey-day he was able to fly under the radar for the most part and go unnoticed--a situation that had followed him into "life after N SYNC"--but not anymore.  This story had caused ripples in his life and in the media world in general and he was afraid that it was going to scare Kristen off.  They hadn't had a need to discuss the fact that their relationship could cause heads to turn around the world--and now they couldn't escape that fact.  Would she understand?  Was she upset?  Would this make her rethink her decision to be with him?  Chris growled in frustration again as he pushed his free hand through his hair. 

With a heavy sigh Chris looked down at his phone in his hand.  Now that he had calmed down a bit he felt bad about the things he'd said to Rachel.  Hitting a few buttons he called her, pressed the phone to his ear, and waited--though he knew she wasn't going to pick up.  When his call was kicked over to voicemail he sunk down onto the couch.

"Rachel, listen.  I'm sorry.  I just...look, I'm upset over this whole situation." He said, continuing on with his voicemail message apology to Rachel.  "It just kind of...blew up in my face this morning and I took it out on you.  I'm sorry.  You are stubborn and nosey but those are two of the things I love about you and they're what make you, you.  JC is a very lucky man to have you in his life.  I know how much he loves you.  We all love you and I...I'm sorry."  He paused, wondering what else to add but couldn't think of anything else and so he ended the call with a promise that he would call her back later.  He needed to apologize to her for real, to actually say those things to her and make sure she understood that he didn't mean them and had just been speaking out of anger.  He felt terrible about what he'd said and he knew JC was going to be breathing down his neck until he apologized and made things right. 

When did things get so damn complicated?  Chris wondered as he set the phone down next to him.  He leaned over, his arms resting on his knees as he hung his head.  He thought back to when he had first met Joey and JC and then had been introduced to Justin and Lance.  He thought things had been hard when they were touring and making music literally 24/7 but once they all started adding spouses and significant others into the mix things suddenly became a hell of a lot more complicated.  Guys were guys and fights between them--when they did break out--were quickly gotten over with a few punches and a wrestling match or two on the floor.  Before too long someone would crack a joke and they'd all be laughing again, completely forgetting what it was they had been fighting about seconds before.   

Girls were a completely different breed of animal however, and arguments and hurt feelings weren't easily forgotten--or forgiven.  Add on the additional pressure of having to appease whichever one of the guys she was with for having upset "his girl" and the situation became instantly more complicated and intense.  Now, instead of apologizing to just one person, you had to apologize to two.  Twice the number of people mad at you and twice the humiliation when you had to say you were sorry.    

"Girls make everything complicated." Chris muttered aloud.  And speaking of girls...he sat up and reached for his phone.  Hitting a few buttons he dialed Kristen's number again and waited, praying she would answer this time.

There was a lot they needed to talk about...   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen sat in her jeep.  Her eyes--which were covered by a pair of dark sunglasses--stared at the front entrance of the hospital.  She sunk lower down in her seat, hoping nobody could see her.  She wasn't normally one that shied away from difficult situation, but she honestly had no idea how to handle this particular situation.  How the hell did they find out where I work so quickly?  She wondered as she surveyed the group of people milling around outside the entrance. 

 The news report linking her to Chris and putting her marital status out in the open for everyone to gossip and speculate about had been released an hour ago.  Kristen had stared dumbly at her television--her toothbrush dangling from her mouth--as pictures, that had been taken of her and Chris around town the last couple weeks, were broadcast.  She hadn't seen any photographers around when she had been out with Chris and, while part of her was impressed that they had managed to get such good photos unbeknownst to her, she felt her anger flare as one photo in particular was flashed on the screen.  That one picture gave away who the "source" was that had fed the story to the media and Kristen instantly saw red.  However, that was the least of her worries right now.  Right now, she had to figure out a way to get past the twelve guys with cameras strapped around their necks that were blocking her way to work.  They were going to corner her, ask questions, and she had no idea what to say.  She had no idea what she was supposed to say.

Reaching for her purse, Kristen pulled out her phone-surprised to see she had two missed calls.  When did it...

"Kris?" He asked as he answered her call. 

"I never heard my phone ring." She apologized.  "I'm sorry."

Chris breathed what sounded like a sigh of relief at hearing her voice.  "Are you okay?" He asked. 

"They found out where I work." She replied.

"What?" Chris questioned.

"There are twelve guys with cameras currently standing outside the main entrance of the hospital." She told him.  "We don't currently have any celebrity patients so I can only assume they're here for me." 

"Damn it!" He sighed heavily.  "I'm sorry." He apologized.

"Why are you apologizing?" Kristen asked. 

"Because, if I wasn't who I was this wouldn't be happening." He replied as if the answer should have been obvious to her. "If I were just a regular guy nobody would give a flying flip who I was dating, or the fact that it can be seen as you having an affair and me breaking up your marriage.  I'm sorry.  I don't know--"

"This isn't your fault, Chris." She insisted, cutting him off.

"It's not?" He questioned.

"No." She shook her head.

"Then whose fault is it?" Chris asked.

"You don't want to know." Kristen muttered under her breath as she rolled her eyes--thinking back on the photo she'd seen earlier.  She clenched her jaw as her anger returned.

"What was that?" He asked.

"Nothing." She shook her head, taking a deep breath--hoping to calm her anger.  "How do I get past them?" She asked.

"Uhm...is there a back door?" He asked.

"Not one that's easily accessible." She replied.  "What do I do?" She asked.  "I've never...I've never dated a celebrity before.  I don't know what to do.  I don't know what the proper way to act in this situation is.  What am I supposed to do?  What am I supposed to say?  Help me out here." She plead.

"There's nothing you're supposed to do or say." Chris answered.  "No matter what you do, they're going to take what you said or didn't say and what you did or didn't do and somehow twist it around so they can make a boring story into an exciting one for the ten o'clock news."

"I don't want to do anything that's going to hurt you." She told him.

There was silence between them for a moment then Chris chuckled.  "You're amazing." He told her.

"What?" Kristen asked, confused his laughter and comment.

"Your life and the fact that you're in a relationship with me, along with your current marital status, just became public knowledge and you're worried about doing or saying something that's going to hurt me?" He questioned.  "Are you for real?"

"My life has been nothing but one giant shit storm until I ran into you, Chris." She stated.  "Twelve guys with cameras and a report on the morning gossip show are nothing compared to what I've been through the last six months.  I'm just sorry that my messed up life is now causing you bad press.  You haven't ever done anything to garner bad publicity like this until now.  Until you met me.  You're trying to start up your new band and bad publicity isn't going to help anything.  I just--"

"Stop." He said, cutting her off.  "You can't take it back." He stated firmly. 

Kristen pulled back slightly and raised one brow in confusion until it clicked as to what he was referring to.  "I'm not taking anything back." She assured him.  "I love you.  I just wish my life wasn't so messed up and that it wasn't affecting you like this."

"Would you stop?" He asked.  "I don't give a shit what people say about me!  I've been the brunt of people's jokes and ridicule since before I can remember.  You tend to grow a pretty thick skin when you grow up poor and dealt with everything I had to deal with.  Add on becoming part of one of the biggest pop groups in history and I've seen and heard it all--and then some.  You should have heard some of the rumors that went around about me and the guys back in the day."

"But this isn't a rumor, Chris." She reminded him.  "This one is true."

"I know." He answered. 

"So, what do we do about it?" She asked.

"I don't know." He replied.  "I wish I knew who their ‘source' was." He murmured.  "I don't know who else knows about you and I, besides the guys, and none of them knew about your...situation.  I don't know--"

"I do." She cut him off.

"You know who the ‘source' is?" He questioned.

"Yeah." She nodded, though he couldn't see her. 

"Who is it?"

"Kevin." She answered.  Again there was silence on the line but Kristen could almost feel the heat from Chris' anger through the phone. 

"Are you...are you sure?" He asked-the clipped tone of his words giving away the fact that he was trying to hold back his anger.  "What makes you think--"

"Did you see the pictures they had of us?" She questioned.

"Briefly." He answered.

"There were a couple of us at the mall last weekend but then there was another one of us kissing." Kristen told him.  "In the parking lot outside my apartment building."  She waited for him to put the pieces together. 

"He took a picture of us while he was waiting for you last week?" He asked.

"That's my guess." Kristen replied, nodding.  "It's the only explanation that fits."  She sighed.  "I don't understand why he's doing this!" She exclaimed, hitting her hand against the steering wheel and then combing her fingers through her hair as she rested her elbow against the window of the Jeep.  She felt angry tears form but held them back.  She didn't want to cry right now, damn it!  "Why won't he just leave me alone?" She questioned, though she knew Chris didn't have the answer anymore than she did.

"Because he's miserable." He stated.  "And misery loves company."  Kristen's brow furrowed slightly as he continued.  "He's seen firsthand now, that you don't need him--that you've moved on.  Sooner or later everything he's done is going to catch up to him and my guess is, it's starting to.  If he's any kind of man he knows he had a good thing going with you and he fucked it up and he can't stand the thought of you being happy without him."  Kristen was quiet as she digested what he had just told her.  His theory made sense and explained all the shit Kevin was putting her through. "I know," Chris continued, his voice dropping slightly.  "If I ever did anything to lose you it would kill me to see you with someone else and I would do whatever I could to get you back."

Kristen pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, her heart swelling at his admission.  "Things could get pretty ugly." She said.

"I know." Chris stated.

"Are you sure--"

"I meant what I said the other night." He replied, cutting her off.  "I'm willing to risk just about anything for you."

Tears again stung her eyes.  She blinked rapidly, trying to stop them from falling.  She sniffled as she laid her head back against her seat and swallowed.  Why does he love me?  She questioned.  Why does he want to still be with me?  "This could turn into a pretty big ‘anything.'" She stated, her voice wavering slightly.

"Bring it on." He stated firmly making Kristen smile.  She wished with everything in her that he were sitting there with her right now.  She desperately wanted and needed him to hold her in his arms, to kiss her, and tell her that everything was going to be okay.  "Everything will be okay." He said as if he had read her thoughts.  "I've spent the last...fifteen years dealing with the press.  We'll get through this.  Somehow...we'll get through this.  Together.  Okay?" He asked.

"Okay." She nodded as she wiped away the tears that had escaped as he'd been talking.  Her phone vibrated, indicating the receipt of an incoming message.  "Hold on." She told him as she pulled the phone away from her ear and opened the text. 

You're late... :)

She quickly typed out a response to Amie, letting the other girl know she was in the parking lot and about to walk in, then put the phone back to her ear.  "Enough hanging out in my car." She told Chris.  "I gotta...go, try and get past these guys.  I'm late for work."

"Just don't say anything to them." He advised.  "And don't listen to anything they say to you." He continued as she got out of the Jeep, grabbed her purse and locked the car.  "They're going to try and bait you--to get some kind of reaction from you.  Don't listen to anything they say.  I'll come over tonight and we can talk about whether or not we should release a statement or something, okay?"  He asked.

"Okay." Kristen nodded as she stood beside her car.

"Do you want me to stay on the phone with you while you walk in?" He asked.

"If I say yes, will you think I'm a wimp?" She asked with a nervous chuckle.  Now that she was about to walk through the photographers she was terrified. 

"Absolutely not." He replied.  "I just wish I was there to hold your hand and pull you through to the other side." He told her.

"I don't think you being here would be such a great idea right about now." She teased as she began walking hesitantly towards the hospital.

"Would you quit worrying about me?" He asked with a chuckle.  "I'm a big boy.  I can handle myself.  I've been put through the ringer a time or two.  It's you I'm worried about.  How close are you?" He asked.

"Almost there." She replied, her stomach doing summersaults.  "I can't breathe." She admitted.    

"Just hold your head up and walk in there like you own the place." He told her.  "Don't let them get to you and you'll be fine."

"Here we go." She warned him under her breath. 

"There she is!" Someone called out and all eyes turned on her.  Flashes started going off and the group surged towards her.  Kristen gritted her teeth and pushed through them as they called out their questions and jostled to get close to her.

"Kristen, is it true you're married?"

"How did you and Chris meet?"

"When did this all start?"

"Care to comment on the photos that have been released of you and Chris kissing?"

"Is this just an April Fool's joke?"

Kristen had never really thought about what a panic attack would feel like, but she was pretty sure she was having one right now.  Difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, chest pain, dizziness, trembling, overwhelming nervousness and anxiety, the urge to throw up...

"You're doing great." Chris' voice soothed and she focused her attention on him as she took the final steps through the front doors.  She stopped once the automatic doors closed behind her--shutting the photographers out.  She breathed a sigh of relief-her heart rate slowing down--until she noticed that every eye in the waiting room was watching her.  Her chest tightened again and she felt like she was choking.  "What's going on?" Chris asked, bringing her attention back to him and away from the panic that had set in. 

"Everyone's looking at me." She whispered into the phone as she straightened her shoulders and began walking towards her office. She kept her eyes looking straight ahead--making eye contact with nobody.

"That's because you're gorgeous." He stated simply. 

"That's not the reason." She replied with a roll of her eyes. 

"It's the reason I'm always looking at you." He told her.  "So why isn't that the reason everyone else is looking at you?"

"Because." She laughed as she turned a corner and entered the administration part of the hospital where her office was located. 

"‘Because' isn't an answer." Chris stated.   

"Yes it is." Kristen argued as she walked down the hall past Michael and Amie's offices. 

"No, it's not." He insisted.

"Bite me." She sassed with another roll of her eyes as she entered her office.  She set her purse down on her desk as she collapsed onto her chair.

"Glady." He replied.  "And I will.  When I come over tonight.  If you'll tell me where and how hard you'd like me to."

Kristen laughed for a moment, but her mood soon dampened slightly and she sighed.  "Thank you." She told him.  "I don't know if I would have been able to get through that without you."

"You wouldn't have had to go through it at all if I hadn't--"

"Stop." She cut him off.  "No more regrets and no more apologizing--from either of us." She stated.  "What's done is done and neither of us can, or is going to, take anything back, remember?"

"Yes, ma'am." He replied. 

"We just...have to come up with a plan of attack." She continued.  "Kind of like a giant game of Battleship." She grinned, liking the analogy she'd just come up with.

"We'll sink their battleship." Chris affirmed.

"Exactly."  Kristen nodded.

"And we'll come up with our battle plan tonight!" He said, sounding like he was really getting into the idea.

"Perfect." She smiled.

"What time do you get off?" He asked.

"I should be home about six." She told him.

"Pizza or Chinese?" He questioned.

"Hmmm..." she hummed as she chewed on her bottom lip, trying to decide.  "Pizza." She finally chose. 

"Then I will see you at six, with pizza in hand, to begin planning our attack."

End Notes:
review, review, review!  I want to know what you guys are thinking.  What do you love?  What do you hate?  What do you think is going to happnen?  I listen and take everything into consideration :)
Chapter 19 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
the story continues....and it's a long one :)
"The trick with the press is to be as boring as possible." Chris stated later that evening.  Kristen looked at him in question as she picked up another piece of pizza from the box on the table between them. 

"And how is you having an affair with a married woman boring?" She asked as she took a bite.  She closed her eyes briefly and moaned in satisfaction.  There was nothing quite like the combination of melted cheese, pepperoni, and tomato sauce.  It had been a few weeks since Kristen had allowed herself the indulgence of having pizza but, after the day she'd had today, this was just what she needed.  Chris chuckled and Kristen licked her bottom lip as she opened her eyes to look at him.  "What's so funny?" She asked him as she set the piece of pizza on her plate and reached for her beer.

"Not funny." He shook his head, a smile playing on his lips. Kristen narrowed her eyes and looked at him in question over the bottle as she took a healthy swallow.  "You just...you make me happy." He admitted.  "I laugh when I'm happy." 

Kristen couldn't help the smile that came at his admission and felt her cheeks warm slightly as she set the beer bottle back on the table.  She lowered her hands to her lap and pinched her arm under the table.  It was still hard for her to believe that anyone wanted to be with her--thought she was worth spending time with--let alone the man currently sitting across her kitchen table from her.  He was funny, smart, beautiful, and talented.  Why did he want to waste his time on her? 

"But let's get back to the problem at hand." Chris said as he cleared his throat and looked down at his plate. 

"Our relationship is hardly ‘boring.'" She reminded him.

"You can say that again." He replied, with a wag of his eyebrows and a suggestive smirk on his face. 

Kristen laughed as she wadded her napkin up into a ball and threw it across the table at him.  "Be serious." She told him.

"Being serious is not one of my strong points, Vanilla." He replied as he picked up his piece of pizza and took a huge bite.

"Obviously." Kristen sassed as she took another bite.   "So, what are we going to do?" She asked him as she reached for and took another swig of her beer. 

"Pray that Justin decides to announce he's releasing another solo album?" Chris asked with a shrug. 

Kristen laughed.  "And if that doesn't happen?"

He sighed and sat back in his chair.  His eyes stared at the napkin in his hand that he was currently crumpling.  "The only thing we can do is ride it out." He said, his eyes lifting to meet hers again.  "Eventually something bigger and better is going to come along and everyone will forget about us."

"Right." She replied with a nod, not at all convinced that that would happen.  Kristen was enough of a tabloid follower to know that rumors and stories involving any type of sexual scandal were quick to come and slow to leave the headlines.  If the paparazzi at the hospital today were any indication, she had a feeling this was going to be something that people were going to be talking about for a while-regardless of whether or not Justin announced anything.  "And in the meantime?" Kristen asked as she put her piece of pizza down on the plate in front of her, her appetite suddenly gone.  "What am I supposed to do?" She questioned.  "Michael was fielding calls all day, because of me." She began ticking items off on her fingers.  "There were a dozen paparazzi blocking the main entrance of the hospital all day, because of me.  Security finally had to be called in to protect our patient's safety, because of me.  You," she pointed at him "Are now dealing with a lot of bad press, because of me."  She sighed as she slumped back in her chair and looked at him.  "I wish..."  She shook her head as she looked down at her hands in her lap.

"What?" He asked.  Her eyes rose to meet his.  "What do you wish?"

Kristen looked at him for a moment in silence, then sighed again.  "I wish I never would have married him the first place.  Then maybe we could have avoided this whole mess."

"Am I doing the right thing?" Kristen asked as she looked at her reflection in the full length mirror she was standing in front of.  She had always wondered what this day would look and feel like but as the hands on the clock on the wall continued to tick closer and closer to the final hour, she wondered if she was supposed to feel like this. 

"With your hair?" Andrea asked.  "Absolutely!"  Kristen looked at the girl who had been her roommate her first two years of college and who had remained a close friend over the last decade. 

"No." Kristen replied, turning to playfully smack Andrea's arm. 

"Ow.  Bitch." Andrea replied with a laugh as she rubbed her arm.

"With Kevin." Kristen clarified as she turned back to look at her reflection.  She turned slightly to look at the white dress she was wearing.  It had taken her three weeks of shopping with her mother to find the perfect dress and she had to admit--for a tomboy who preferred to be in basketball shorts and T-shirts--she looked pretty damn amazing in this dress!  "Am I doing the right thing marrying him?" She asked.

"Everybody gets cold feet, Kris." Andrea told her as she stood next to her and fussed with her hair. 

"I've only known him for two years!" Kristen reminded her friend as she swatted Andrea away from her hair.  "Is that enough time to know you want to spend the rest of your life with someone?" She asked as she turned.  She reached down and grabbed handfuls of the dress, lifting the hem, and walked over to one of the chairs in the hotel suite they were in.  She sat down, the satin of the dress rustling and billowing around her.  "I mean, I've really only been in two other relationships before I met Kevin and both of them were longer than two years and I never thought about marrying either of those guys.  I don't even know if he wants kids." She continued, the anxiety beginning to overtake her making her ramble.  "There are so many things we haven't talked about and I'm just now realizing it.  Why haven't we talked about those things?  Can you really marry someone if you don't know everything about them?  I don't think--"

"Kristen." Andrea cut her off as she knelt down in front of Kristen and took a hold of her hands.  "Do you love him?" She asked.  Kristen thought about it for a few moments.  Did she love Kevin?  Yes.  She nodded--though the fact that she had to think about it, raised a tiny red flag that she chose to over look.  "Does he love you?" Andrea asked.  Again Kristen had to think about it.  Kevin was the perfect boyfriend-turned-fiancée.  He always remembered her birthday and their anniversary.  He always seemed to know when she was having a bad day and would send her a big bouquet of daisies to make her smile and brighten her day.  He didn't always get her jokes, or like the movies she did.  He had rolled his eyes more than once and had told her on numerous occasions that she was childish and immature.  He didn't appreciate sports the way she did and Kristen could never watch a game when he was home because he was constantly telling her to keep it down, but when he looked her in the eyes and told her he loved her she could see the sincerity of those words in his blue eyes. 

"Yes." She finally answered.

"Then the other stuff will work itself out." Andrea replied, with a pat on her hand as she stood.  Kristen watched as the other girl walked over to the mirror and tugged at the neckline of the sleeveless red dress she was wearing.  Andrea adjusted the dress then turned and looked back over her shoulder at her reflection then turned and looked at Kristen again.  "Think I have a chance with Kevin's best man?" She asked.

"Troy?" Kristen asked.  Andrea nodded.  "He's engaged." Kristen shook her head as she stood.  A small voice in the back of her head still whispered that she was making a mistake.  The voice questioned her decision to marry Kevin but Kristen stubbornly shoved the voice away.  Andrea was right.  The other stuff would work itself out.  All that mattered was that they loved each other, right?

"...did you see those arms?" Andrea sighed dreamily, pulling Kristen from her thoughts.  "And those green eyes..."

"Did you not hear me say that he's engaged?" Kristen asked. 

Andrea shrugged with a smile.  "Details." She replied waving her hand through the air.  "Nothing's final till there's a ring on his finger and even then, well..."she shrugged and giggled.  "Nothing's final."

"Kristen?" Chris asked, pulling her from her memories.  She lifted her eyes to meet his, startled.  She had momentarily forgotten where she was and who was with her.  Chris' brows furrowed slightly as he looked at her--concern clouding those beautiful brown eyes of his.  "Kristen?" He asked again.  "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." She shook her head and looked down at the table. "Yeah, I'm...I'm fine."

"I don't believe you." He stated and she looked up at him. 

"I was just...thinking." She replied-the feelings that flash of memory had stirred up overwhelming her.  Something had warned her that marrying Kevin was a bad idea three years ago.  Why hadn't she listened?  Why hadn't Andrea's flippant remarks about Troy and his relationship status raised a red flag?  Why had she let Andrea convince her that everything would "work out?"  She should have lifted her skirt and run--as fast and as far away as possible.  She should have done so many things differently.  Maybe then her life wouldn't be in the mess it was.

"You can't beat yourself up over past mistakes." Chris said, once again breaking her from her thoughts.  "Believe me.  All it does is make you even more miserable and it prevents you from being able to move forward." Kristen just sat, looking at him--wondering if he was psychic or if she was just that easy to read.  "I've made my share of mistakes over the years and there is so much I wish I could take back," he confessed.  "But I can't.  That's life.  Things happen.  We make mistakes and we have to move on."  He was quiet for a moment then, "Let it go." He implored her--his eyes boring into hers.  She wanted to look away but couldn't.  Those dark brown eyes were holding her captive and she was powerless to resist as they pulled her in.  "He's not worth your time or your tears." He said.  "So why are you giving them to him?"

Kristen pushed back from the table and stood quickly--her breath coming in shallow gasps and her heart pounding painfully in her chest.  She turned and walked into the kitchen.  Her reaction to his words surprised her, but she couldn't sit there under his intense gaze anymore--the guilt and remorse threatening to eat her alive.  Putting her hands on the counter she hung her head and tried to gain control of her emotions.  She'd been pushing the hurt and pain down for so long she'd become an expert on avoiding her feelings.

But for some reason she couldn't get a handle on it tonight. 

She knew she was about to really lose it and she was embarrassed.  She didn't want Chris to see her so weak and broken.  He was right.  She knew he was right and she agreed with him.  Kevin didn't deserve her time or the tears she had cried over him.  She knew this.  She didn't want to cry over him, but she didn't have the power to hold it back any longer.  She was tired.  She was tired of holding it all in.  She was tired of pretending everything was fine when the truth was she didn't understand.  She was tired of having everyone tell her she just needed to move on and let it go.

A sob escaped as she felt a hand on her shoulder.  She turned and buried her head against his chest as the painful tears she had been holding back broke free. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Chris wrapped his arms around Kristen, holding her as she cried.  Her sudden change in mood had taken him by surprise.  He had sat for a moment, wondering what he had said to upset her then quickly followed her into the kitchen to apologize.  As she melted against him, collapsing into tears, he had a sneaking suspicion that whatever memory had been triggered tonight was the real culprit behind her sudden outburst of emotion.  She burrowed against him as her tears continued, her hands fisting in the material of his T-shirt as she pulled him closer.  He tightened his arms around her and dipped his head, his lips brushing over her temple-wishing he could make everything better.  He wished he had the power to erase every bad thing that had happened to her in the past--everything she had been dealing with--but he couldn't.  And truthfully, he didn't want to because the selfish part of him knew that if he erased it all there was a good chance they would never have met.    

Slowly he walked them out of the kitchen and over to the couch.  As he sat down, Kristen curled her body up against him--her tears continuing to fall.  He kept his arms around her and let her cry, knowing that the tears were painful but necessary.  She put on a brave front, and she smiled and laughed and told him that she loved him, but she was still broken inside.  He knew what it felt like to give your heart to someone only to have it given back.  You were left with a lot of questions.  Feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness filled you--threatening to choke you with their intensity--and you were left having to force yourself through every day.  She may not like her husband, but she was still grieving a loss and the grief of a lost relationship could be overwhelming and smothering at times.   

"Why wasn't I enough?" The quietly voiced words--her voice thick with emotion--broke his heart.  He didn't know what to say.  Anything he said now would only seem trite--like he was just patronizing her.  What were the secret words that would heal and mend her broken heart?  He had no idea.  He would give anything to know what to say that would make everything better.   

"I don't know." He finally answered, opting for the truth.  Honesty was always the best policy--no matter how much the truth hurt.  "I don't know."  Chris ran his hand over her back and drew her closer. 

"Why won't he let me go?"

"Because you left him." He stated.  Kristen pulled back and looked at him in question.  Chris reached his hand out and cupped her cheek.  Even tear-stained and red-nosed he couldn't get over how beautiful she was.  It was still unfathomable to him that her husband had done the things he had done to her--had gone around behind her back shacking up with countless other women.  Was he blind?  Kristen was gorgeous!  Her eyes, her smile, her body, her sense of humor, her warm and caring nature, her playfulness and passion, and all the other things he had come to know and love about her since they'd met.  He was just as clueless as she was as to why Kevin had cheated on her.

"What do you mean?" She asked with a hiccup.  She sniffed and Chris dropped his hand as she wiped her hands over her face. 

"Kevin's a cheater." He stated.  Kristen rolled her eyes and looked at him like he was an idiot.  "Just hear me out." He said, holding up his hands.  "He's a cheater and cheaters are the ones who leave.  I'm not an expert in psychology, but I've seen it enough to know what these guys are like.  They go from girl to girl and get some sort of sick pleasure out of being the one to leave first.  Gives them a sense of power, or something, and in this instance you took that power away from him by walking out.  You played him and he's not happy about it.  Like I said the other night, he's miserable and he wants to get back at you for leaving him.  Which is ridiculous, because the first time he slept with someone else he lost all rights and privileges he may have had with you.  He screwed himself, but he doesn't see it that way.  He sees himself as the victim and he's doing everything he can to tear you down so that he can feel like he's on top again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen sat, staring at Chris in amazement as he broke down the reasons behind Kevin's behavior so easily.  Her embarrassment over having completely lost it and crying all over him was forgotten. 

"What?" Chris chuckled, a bit uncomfortably as she continued to stare at him.  He lifted a curious brow as he looked at her in question.

"They never gave you enough credit." She responded in awe.

"Who?" He asked, confused.

"The media." She replied.  "And the fans.  You were always tagged as the crazy, immature one in the group--and you certainly have your moments of both of those, don't get me wrong--but you are so far from that image that they painted of you it's not even funny."  She watched as his cheeks warmed slightly and he dropped his eyes from hers.  Kristen reached out and pulled his chin up.  "Don't be embarrassed." She shook her head.  "You..." she trailed off as she looked into his eyes.  His wisdom and insight astounded her.  "You're amazing." She finally breathed, unable to put into words all that she was thinking and feeling. 

Before he could respond she leaned forward and pressed her lips against his.  She felt his surprise for a moment before he became a willing participant in the warm exchange.  Kristen felt him lift one hand, his fingers tangling in her hair, while his other arm snaked around her waist and pulled her closer.  After a long, slow kiss she pulled back, struggling to catch her breath.  She pressed her forehead against his and closed her eyes.  "I've spent the last six months trying to figure everything out and you just summed it all up in less than a minute." She observed.  She pulled back and opened her eyes.  "You're brilliant." He opened his eyes as she placed both hands on his face.  "How did you become so brilliant and insightful?" She asked, though she had a feeling she already knew the answer.    

This man--who the majority of the world took at face value--was so much more than the image that had been portrayed over the years.  She was beginning to realize that--while he knew how to let loose and have a good time, and he enjoyed being with people and throwing parties--it had mostly just been an act.  He had been typecast into a role and he had played that role well, all the while hiding away the fact that he was smart, serious and insightful.  The childhood he had had and the years he had spent in the music business had given him a wealth of experiences to draw from--all of which had helped mold him into the man he was now, sitting here on her couch, holding her while she cried and making everything suddenly make sense.

"Well, I am the only one in the group with a college degree." He replied with a teasing sparkle in his eyes-his lips lifting slightly. 

"Really?" Kristen asked.

"Mmmhmm." He nodded.  It was a fact that hadn't been widely published about him, and it wasn't a very advanced or difficult degree but for what it was worth he was the only one in the group who had done anything beyond high school.

"Was it all just an act?" She asked, wanting to know if her theory was correct. 

"Was what all just an act?" He questioned.

"The crazy antics and immature behavior."

He chuckled.  "You know me enough by now to know I'm pretty crazy and immature sometimes." He stated and she laughed in agreement.  "It wasn't all an act." He confessed quietly.

"I knew it." She replied with a smile.

"Knew what?" He asked, his eyes never leaving hers.  His expression was unreadable but she detected a flicker of something in his eyes.  Fear?  Vulnerability? 

"That you're hiding behind the image." She told him, her hands stroking over his face.  She leaned down, pressing her lips against his softly.  "You're really smart, intelligent, and incredibly gifted when it comes to reading people and understanding their motives and behavior.  Why have you hidden that part of yourself?" She asked. 

"Being a nerd doesn't get you girls." He stated simply.  "Being the fun and crazy party guy does." 

"You're not a nerd." Kristen replied as she moved to straddle him.  She continued to hold his face in her hands as she proceeded to place a series of small kisses on his soft, perfect lips.  She felt his hands glide up her legs until they came to rest on her hips.  She could feel the tension in him beginning to build and she smiled.  "Being smart and intelligent doesn't necessarily make you a nerd.  But regardless, nerds are sexy." She told him.  His hands gripped her tighter and he groaned as she trailed her lips over to his ear. 

"Nerds are a type of candy." He stated and Kristen laughed as she sat back.  She ran a hand through her hair as he slowly opened his eyes and looked at her in disappointment.  "That's it?" He asked. 

"What?" She asked, playing innocent and fighting not to laugh at the expression on his face.  She gloated inwardly at the power she held over him.  She would never abuse that power, but it was fun playing with him from time to time.  She enjoyed seeing the effect she had on him and how quickly she could turn him on-make him do whatever the hell she wanted.

"You just said nerds were sexy." He reminded her. 

"Mmmhmm." She nodded as she wiggled her hips slightly.  Chris' fingers dug into her hips in an effort to keep her still and she caught the quiet moan that escaped him.  "They are, but you said you're not one."  She put her hands on his chest, dropped her head then looked up at him coyly through her lashes.  "Did you change your mind?"

His eyes narrowed a second before he let out a growl and Kristen squealed as he flipped her so she was lying on her back across the couch.  "I may not be a nerd," he said as he moved atop her.  "But you are a devilish little minx." He proclaimed as he dipped his head and began attacking her neck.  Kristen giggled as she wound her arms around his neck.  She hitched one leg over his hip--her back arching slightly as she willingly surrendered to him. 

"What I am," she began, a quiet moan slipping past her lips as he expertly used his lips and tongue to render her completely helpless.  "Is...is..."

"Is, what?" He asked as he switched sides. 

"I have no idea." She confessed as goose bumps broke out in waves across her body.  "I can't think when you're..." she swallowed.  "When you're doing...that...I can't...I can't..." A shudder ran down her spine and Kristen lost her train of thought as his hands slipped beneath her shirt-his fingers gliding across her skin as he lifted the material up and over her head.  She pulled and tugged at his shirt, needing to feel his skin against hers.  He sat back for a brief moment as he pulled his T-shirt over his head and Kristen almost came at the sight of him, she was so close. 

"You're so beautiful." He confessed as he looked down at her.

"You took the words right out of my mouth." She replied.

He leaned down--his hands resting on the couch on either side of her.  He pressed his lips against her stomach and Kristen felt her eyes roll back in her head as she melted against the cushions.  Her hands reached down--her fingers tangling in his dark hair as he slowly trailed his mouth up her body.  Her hips rolled against him, desperately seeking the friction she needed for her release.  "I will never," he spoke, punctuating his words with hot kisses across her exposed abdomen.  "Understand," another kiss, slightly higher.  "How he could ever," his mouth was right below where her bra lay against her skin and Kristen felt like screaming.  She needed him to touch her.  Somewhere!  Anywhere!  Everywhere!  The kisses were incredible, but she needed him to touch her.  To bring her to that sweet release that she'd only ever known with him.  "Leave your bed." He finished and Kristen opened her eyes as she felt him hover above her.  "I will never understand." He shook his head as he looked at her in adoration.    

Her fingers were still lost within his soft hair and she pulled him down to capture his lips with her own.  He would never know the extent to which his words and soft, gentle caresses helped to mend her broken heart and sooth the sting of the wounds that had been inflicted. 

"I love you." He whispered.  The intensity of those softly spoken words when straight to her heart and Kristen felt tears gather behind her closed eyelids.  Only this time, they were tears of happiness and she felt no remorse or embarrassment over them.  She didn't know what she had done to deserve his love, and at times she felt less than worthy of his affection, but she couldn't stop herself from loving him back. 

Even if she had wanted to. 

He was amazing and she felt incredibly privileged to be among the few who had the opportunity to really know him.  To see past the image and know the man.  To look him in the eyes and see and understand the depth of his character-to see who he truly was.  To have earned his trust and captured his heart.  It was an awesome and indescribable feeling and as he kissed her again--slowly, deeply, passionately--Kristen prayed nothing would ever happen to change what they had, or come between them.  What had happened with Kevin had been painful and she was still dealing with the after affects but she knew, if Chris ever left her or gave her cause to leave him it would kill her.

"Promise you won't ever hurt me." She begged as he released her mouth and trailed hot, sweet kisses down her neck and throat. 

"I promise."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We still don't have a game plan." Kristen observed later that night as they lay in bed together.

"Hmm?" Chris hummed in question, the sound rumbling in his chest beneath her.  Kristen chuckled as she lifted her head and looked at him.  She lay across his chest--smiling as he opened his sleepy brown eyes.  "We're going to ignore them and be boring, remember?" He yawned.

"That's not a game plan." Kristen replied, poking him in the chest.

"Sure it is." He insisted.

"For you maybe." She told him with a good-natured roll of her eyes.  "Mr. I-don't-have-to-deal-with-going-to-work-every-day-and-can-hid-out-at-home." Chris laughed.  "But what about me?" She asked, watching as he put his arms behind his head.  "I can't hide out at home.  I have to go out.  I have to go to work.  People are going to talk to me, and ask me questions, and take pictures.  What do I say?  What do I do?"  He remained quiet and Kristen could almost literally see the wheels turning as he thought through the situation.  "Come on." She prodded.  "Use that brilliant, intelligent mind of yours and tell me what we're going to do."

"Well," he drawled.  "We can release a statement."

"What would that entail?" She questioned.

He sighed as he sat up and leaned against the headboard.  Kristen sat facing him on the bed and ran a hand through her hair.  "We tell the truth." He said.  "We write up something, explaining everything, and send it to all the media outlets.  We let them know that you've been separated for the last six months and in the process of getting a divorce, and that we only met a month ago.  People are still going to be curious and they're going to dig, trying to trap us-to find the hole in our story."

"But we don't have any holes in our story." Kristen replied.  "We're telling the truth."

"Yeah." He nodded.  "But the truth is boring." He stated.  "They're not going to believe it.  They're going to think we're saying you're separated as a convenient cover up.  And there's Kevin." He reminded her.  "He's the unknown variable in this whole thing.  We can't control him, or what he may or may not say to people.  And if he really is the one who leaked the story and the photo of us to the press, you can bet he's not going to go along with our boring, truthful story." 

Kristen sighed heavily as she turned and sat next to Chris.  She leaned her head against his shoulder. "So we're back to just ignoring everything and hoping it all just goes away?" She asked, feeling a sense of disappointment fill her.  Chris reached for her hand and Kristen watched as his fingers slid in between hers. 

"We'll do whatever you want to do." He said.  "You tell me what you're comfortable with and we'll do it."

Kristen closed her eyes and took a deep breath.  "Let's release a statement." She told him, lifting her head to look him in the eyes.

"Okay." He nodded.  "What about Kevin?" He questioned.

"Kevin can go screw himself." She replied hotly.  "We have the truth on our side and he has a lot of bad karma coming his way.  Payback's a bitch." She observed.

Chris grinned as he released her hand and put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close.  "I love it when you get all badass!" He exclaimed, kissing her soundly on the lips. 

"The douchebag deserves whatever he gets." She continued.  "And I'm going to give it to him big time.  I'm done letting him control me."

"Atta girl." Chris commended, kissing her again.  "So when does all this payback begin?" He asked, his mouth moving against hers as he spoke.    

"Mmmm..." Kristen moaned as she turned slightly, allowing him to deepen the kiss.  She put one hand on his face.  "Just as soon as we're done here." 

End Notes:

tag....you're it!  :) 

lol....leave me a review...let me know what you think, what you like, and don't like....

Chapter 20 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:

ok, so it was a little more than an hour, so sue me.  Also...tag, you're it....again! 

uhm....this chapter is kinda long....hope you like it :)

 

When Kristen awoke the next morning she was exhausted.  Mentally, physically, and emotionally she was spent.  She lay in bed, her eyes closed, trying to enjoy a few more minutes of sleep.  However, her thoughts wouldn't let her.   

During the last twenty-four hours she had felt and gone through just about every human emotion possible from surprise and shock, to confusion, anger, fear, anxiety and uncertainty.  She had been overcome with sadness, humiliation and embarrassment.  Hopelessness, worthlessness, disappointment, grief and inadequacy had smothered her at times.  She had been amazed, filled with gratitude and had given in to an overwhelming love, passion, euphoria and ecstasy, finally falling asleep feeling happy and content.  It had been a whirlwind to say the least and she wasn't sure she had the strength to get out of bed; to face another day where anything could happen and any number of emotions could be triggered and released.

Can't I just stay in bed today and sleep?  She asked-throwing the question out to whomever in the universe may be listening to her.  I don't want to deal with it anymore.

It had been a crazy rollercoaster of emotions she'd ridden since yesterday morning and she was hesitant to get out of bed this morning.  She didn't want a repeat.  She had survived the flood of emotions that had come her way but she wasn't sure she would be able to survive another day of conflicting and overwhelming thoughts and feelings.  She wanted to stay home--snuggled under her covers--hiding from the rest of the world.  She didn't want to deal with any more questions, speculative looks, rumors being spread and photographs being taken.  She didn't want to have to release a statement.  She didn't want to have her life put on display and have to justify her actions to millions of strangers who really had no right to that information. 

She didn't want to have to try and beat Kevin at his own game.  

The mattress shifted and Kristen opened her eyes.  She turned her head-her lips lifting slightly as Chris turned over, his body now facing her.  Her eyes roamed over his sleeping features and her smile widened as he let out a soft snore.  She wanted to reach out and touch him--to prove to herself once again that he was real-but she didn't want to wake him up.  They had stayed up most of the night talking, trying to decide what to say in the statement they were going to release, finally falling asleep just a few hours ago.  Kristen snuggled closer to him, the same feelings of happiness and contentment that had filled her last night returning in force as he instinctively put his arm around her and pulled her towards him.  He ducked his head, nuzzling her neck for a moment then stilled, letting out another soft snore as he continued to sleep. 

Kristen lay in his arms for a few blissful moments--soaking up the love and security she felt just being close to him.  It was amazing what he was able to make her feel when he was doing nothing more than just sleeping beside her.  She couldn't help but compare what she was feeling at the moment with how she had felt in her last relationship.  The difference was like night and day and once again the questions that had assaulted her so forcefully last night returned.  The peaceful, content feeling she had been experiencing disappeared and Kristen closed her eyes tightly, desperately wishing for it to return--for the questions to leave her alone.

Chris was right.  There was no use dwelling on past mistakes.  What was done was done.  She just needed to set it all aside and move past it.  She needed to recognize it for the blessing it was.  She had only given Kevin five years of her life when it could have been a lot more.  And, though her husband had slept with almost every woman he came in contact with, Kristen thanked God every day that he had had some sense of responsibility and had used protection.  She shuddered to think of all the countless diseases she could be dealing with right now, on top of finding out about her husband's infidelity. 

Things could be worse.  She reminded herself, thinking of the countless other variables that could have been involved--complicating things further.

"At least you two hadn't started having kids yet."

Her mother's words from a few months ago popped into her head and Kristen added that fact to her list of things to be thankful for.  Though Suzanne Thompson had been after her daughter from the moment things got serious with Kevin to give her some more grandchildren, Kristen had always found a way to evade the topic when it came up.  She knew how much it would break her mother's heart were she to know that Kristen didn't want to have kids and she could never bring herself to tell her mother the truth. 

Working where she did, at the Children's Hospital, Kristen was confronted every day with all the horrible and senseless diseases that children were subject to and had to go through.  She saw their frail little bodies and--though a lot of them went through each day with a smile on their face--Kristen had seen the tears on their parent's faces as they watched their child endure countless operations and procedures, sometimes being able to return home once again, but often to only be met with disappointment and eventual death. 

She couldn't do it. 

She knew she wouldn't be able to survive the death of a child.  Besides, there were too many children in this world already who were forced to live in deplorable conditions, and often had no one to love them.  What was the point of bringing yet another child into the world, when there were so many who needed help?  Thoughts of having a child made her feel guilty for all the kids she knew were in need.  She should spend her time helping them before being selfish enough to bring her own child into the world. 

And now that I'm thoroughly depressed.  Kristen thought to herself with a sigh. 

She opened her eyes and looked at the man next to her.  She wondered what his feelings were on the subject of kids and if it were too soon to broach the topic.  She had been scared to talk to Kevin about it and had put it off the entire time they had been together-never finding the "perfect time" to bring it up.  She didn't want to make the same mistakes again.  She was determined to be completely honest this time around.  She wasn't hiding anything, and she wasn't changing anything about herself just to please someone else.  If Chris couldn't handle the fact that she didn't want to have children then at least she would know and not constantly be wondering and stressing over it. 

With another sigh Kristen pressed her lips to the corner of Chris' jaw then turned and, sliding out from under his arm, rolled out of bed.  She stretched as a yawn escaped.  As much as she wanted to, she couldn't stay in bed any longer.  She had a job and responsibilities that couldn't be pushed aside just because she was dating a celebrity and their relationship had now become public knowledge.  She couldn't stay home and hide, ignoring everything going on and the way her thoughts were going just now she didn't want to stay in bed wallowing any longer.  She needed to get out of the house and focus on something other than herself, if only for a few hours. 

Pulling the T-shirt she'd slept in over her head as she walked into the bathroom she quietly closed the door and started the shower.  Stepping out of her shorts and panties she tossed them, along with the previously removed shirt, into the clothes hamper then reached her hand into the shower.  Satisfied with the water temperature, Kristen then stepped into the tub and beneath the spray of hot water as she pulled the shower curtain closed behind her.  The jets of water from the showerhead massaged her shoulders and Kristen moaned quietly as she dropped her head forward, allowing the water to knead her sore muscles. 

"Mmmm....I need a massage." She muttered to herself. 

"Turn around and I'll give you one."

Kristen let out a scream as she opened her eyes in surprise.  Her feet slipped beneath her and she would have gone down if he hadn't reached out to grab hold of her arms.  "Careful there, Vanilla." He observed with a chuckle, his brown eyes sparkling.  "It's just me." He grinned.

"Chris!" Kristen remarked, her heart still racing in her chest.  "Don't scare me like that!" She exclaimed as she pulled away from him.  She ran her hands over her face, pushing the water from her eyes then ran her fingers through her hair.  How the hell had she not heard him get in here with her?  "What are you doing here?" She asked with a nervous chuckle as her heart started fluttering in her chest.  She knew it was ridiculous, but she suddenly felt very exposed standing in the shower with him.  He had seen her naked countless times, but there was something different about what they were doing right now.  She'd never showered with anyone before.

"Here, as in life in general," he asked, his eyes narrowing slightly as he coked his head to the side.  "Or here, as in here in the shower?" He questioned, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. 

"Smart ass." Kristen replied with a roll of her eyes.  Chris laughed.  "Here in the shower." She clarified as the water continued to fall on them.  "What are you doing here in the shower with me?" She asked, fighting the sudden desire she had to fold her arms across her chest in an effort to cover up. 

Mischief sparkled in his eyes as he took a small step towards her, closing the space between them.  Kristen swallowed as she kept her eyes focused on his.  He lifted a hand, his fingers curling beneath her chin as he ran his thumb along her bottom lip.  Goose bumps broke out along her skin, despite the stream of warm water she was standing under, and a shiver skirted down her spine.  "I wanted to take a shower with my girlfriend." He stated as he dipped his head, his lips hovering above hers.  "Is that a crime?" He asked, his nose nuzzling hers seductively.  Kristen closed her eyes as he warm breath fanned over her lips--the sensitive skin tingling as she waited anxiously for his kiss. 

"Only if you don't kiss me right now." She replied.  He chuckled quietly before doing just that.  Kristen's hands instinctively moved to press against his chest.  Her fingers wandered over his warm, wet, slippery skin as Chris kept his one hand beneath her chin--using his thumb to open her mouth so he could slip his tongue inside.  He snaked his other arm around her waist, drawing her towards him until their bodies were flush with one another.  Kristen wound her arms around his neck as he continued kissing her--his kiss unlike anything she had ever experienced or tasted before.  Her fingers dug into his hair and she completely forgot about her earlier feelings of discomfort and nervousness as he took a step forward, guiding her back--farther under the spray.

Chris tilted his head slightly, slanting his mouth over hers in an effort to deepen what was already a deep kiss--the hand that had been under her chin moving to the side of her neck and then to the back of her head as his fingers tangled in her wet curls.  Kristen pulled back a moment later, gasping for breath.  Her arms tightened around his neck, hugging him closer as he trialed his lips along her jaw and down the column of her neck.  She dropped her head back, granting him access to her throat and shivered as he nipped at her collar bone.  Steam began to fill the bathroom and she felt beads of sweat begin to dot along her upper lip--courtesy of the combination of the hot water and the heat being generated between herself and the dark-haired, brown-eyed, incredibly sexy, tattooed, singer currently seducing her senseless. 

He pulled back a moment later and Kristen shook her head, her mind in a complete haze of need.  "No..." she whined, tightening her arms around him.  "Please?"  She begged, willing him to continue the sweet torture.  He chuckled, the sound low in her ear as his lips brushed against her lobe.  "Stop teasing me." She plead.

"Now you know how I feel all the time." He remarked as he placed a lingering kiss to her lips. 

"I don't tease you all the time." Kristen replied, somehow finding the strength to open her eyes and look at him.  Her fingers played with the short hairs at the back of his neck.  He shivered in her arms. 

"So you admit that you do tease me?" He questioned, a teasing sparkle in his eyes.

"Of course." She replied with a shrug.  "I'm a woman.  It's my job to tease." She stated, her lips lifting in a grin.  He chuckled.  "But I don't do it all the time." She clarified.

"Hmmm..." he hummed, dipping his head to place a single kiss at the pulse point on her neck.  "I beg to differ."  She swallowed heavily and tightened her arms around his neck as her knees wobbled a bit.  What this man was capable of doing to her...

"Turn around." He said suddenly, as he lifted his head. 

"What?" Kristen asked, looking at him in question. 

"Turn around." He repeated, twirling a finger in front of her to indicate what he wanted her to do. 

Kristen looked at him for a moment, confused, then did as he requested.  The water continued to fall from the showerhead, rivulets running down her body.  She wondered for a brief moment what he was going to do.  She heard him open a bottle behind her and turned to investigate, only to have him place his hands on her shoulders and turn her back towards the water.

"I said, turn around." He reminded her. 

"What are you doing?" She questioned. 

"I told you." He replied, speaking right behind her ear.  "I'm taking a shower with my girlfriend."  With that she felt as he squirted out some of her shampoo--the familiar apple scent invading her senses as he began working it into a lather.

Kristen moaned as his fingers massaged her scalp and she closed her eyes as she leaned her head back slightly, giving in to his ministrations.  "Mmmm..." She moaned again as his hands moved down her neck and across her shoulders, working the tense muscles there and completely relaxing her.  "I could get used to this." She murmured.  "Who needs a masseuse when I've got you?" 

Chris just chuckled as he dropped a kiss on one shoulder.  He continued working and massaging her neck and shoulders for several minutes, until Kristen felt so relaxed she wondered how she was still standing.  His fingers made their way back up into her hair and she let out a few more moans of pleasure until he told her to turn around again.  She did so, tilting her head back beneath the spray of water--her fingers joining his as they both worked to rinse out the suds from her hair.  When the job was done she straightened and opened her eyes, looking at him.   The nervous, anxious feeling from before returned as they stood facing each other. 

"That was amazing.  I've never...I've never done this before." Kristen admitted to him. 

"Showered?" He teased as he lifted his hands to brush his wet hair back.

"No." She laughed.  "I've showered before, obviously." She rolled her eyes.  "I've just never showered with someone before."

He stopped as he was reaching for the bar of soap sitting on the soap dish and looked at her in shock.  "You're kidding me, right?" He asked as he straightened.

"No." She shook her head.  "Why?"  He looked at her in stunned silence for a moment.  "What?" She asked.  "What is that look for?"

"You've never showered with anyone before?" He questioned and Kristen shook her head.  "I find that incredibly hard to believe." He admitted. 

"Why is that so hard to believe?" She asked with a confused chuckle. 

"Oh, I don't know." He replied as he began running the bar of soap over his arms.  "You tell me, Miss I've-poled-danced-and-given-lap-dances-before."

"It was one time!" Kristen exclaimed with a laugh.  He lifted one eye brow as he looked at her.  "Okay, two times." She admitted.  "But before you it was one time." She stated in self-defense.

"Whatever you say, Vanilla." He replied with a wink and a grin.

"Punk." Kristen muttered under her breath as she rolled her eyes and shook her head. 

"I'm honored, though." He continued. 

"You should be." She replied with a chuckle.

"First you shared your cheesecake with me last week." He leaned forward and placed a quick kiss to her lips.  "And now I'm the first guy you've ever showered with."  Kristen smiled at him.  "What else haven't you ever done before that I'm going to get to be the first?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out." She sassed as she reached out and took the soap from him.  He looked like he was going to protest for a moment until she took over where he had left off.  She watched as the soap moved over his skin, lathering and cleaning.  He lifted one hand, his thumb brushing across her cheek then closed his eyes as she continued washing him.  Kristen pulled her bottom lip between her teeth finally deciding she liked this showering together thing.  The groan of pleasure that rumbled in his chest emboldened her and gave her a boost of confidence.  I could definitely get used to this.  She thought to herself as she leaned forward--pressing her lips to his chest.    

Chris turned her in his arms, his hands covering hers as he began guiding the soap over her body.  Kristen leaned back against him, her head falling back against his shoulder as she closed her eyes.  She surrendered to the seductive mood surrounding them.  Giving in to his sensual touches she did something she never would have pictured herself doing until she had met Chris.  Letting the soap drop to the bottom of the tub she turned back around to face him.  Before he could ask her what she was doing she kissed him--her arms going around his neck as their lips and tongues moved together.  Hoping up slightly she wrapped her legs around his waist.  Chris let out a noise of surprise as he turned slightly--pressing her back against the wall for support. His lips soon left hers as he braced his hands against the wall at either side of her.  Kristen's breath came in shallow gasps as she leaned her head back, allowing him to completely ravish her neck and throat. 

"I-I...I thought of...something else I've never done." She told him, her fingers becoming tangled in his dark hair.  His mouth moved along her jaw toward her ear.  Kristen let out a groan as she tightened her legs around him--drawing him impossibly closer.  "I've never..." She swallowed, fighting to overcome the fog surrounding her and threatening to take her over.  Chris pulled back and she opened her eyes.  The look passing between them told her he knew what she was getting at.  "You want to be the first?" She asked.  Kristen couldn't help the giggle that escaped as Chris growled at her, before once more attacking her mouth with his.  Their tongues battled for supremacy as he swatted her ass--urging her higher up his body for a moment.  When she came back down she was sure her neighbors could hear the loud groan of pleasure they shared as he slid into her. 

But she didn't care.  

The world and all the people who were suddenly so interested in her life and their relationship could go on their merry way without them.  All she cared about was the man currently working on bringing her closer and closer to her release.  The man she was helplessly, head over heels, in love with and who she knew loved her back just as much.  The man who's name she cried out moments later and who then collapsed against her--his mouth trailing kisses along her neck and shoulder as they both struggled for breath. 

"That was..." he panted as she unwound her legs from around him and slid down his body. 

"Incredible." She supplied, kissing him.  He hummed in agreement, nodding his head as he kissed her back.  "Amazing." She continued with another kiss.  Again he hummed and nodded, his hands coming up to frame her face.  "Earth shattering." She kissed him again.

"All of the above." He remarked and she smiled as their eyes met.  "I love you." He proclaimed. 

"Because I shared my cheesecake and let you be the first to make love to me in the shower?" She teased.  He rolled his eyes as she reached over and turned the water off.  "I love you, too."  She told him.  "I love you, too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

She's my cherry pie.

Cool drink of water,

Such a sweet surprise.

Tastes so good,

Make a grown man cry.

Sweet cherry pie, oh yeah.

"Oh my heck!" Kristen exclaimed a few minutes later and she and Chris were vying for space in front of her bathroom mirror.  "I love that song!" She smiled at him, watching as he stood moving back and forth slightly as he sang the Warrant song.

"Did you just say, ‘oh my heck'?" He laughed as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"And what if I did?" She asked, bumping him with her hip.  He just laughed again and shook his head. 

"Who says that?" He asked, continuing to laugh.

"Cool people." She countered.  He continued chuckling and she stuck her tongue out at him then continued singing the song he had begun.  "She's my cherry pie/Put a smile on your face, ten miles wide.  Looks so good/Bring a tear to your eye.  Sweet cherry pie." She turned around, doing a dance as she moved out of the bathroom and into her bedroom. She only took a few steps however, when Chris grabbed a hold of her arm and spun her around to face him.  She laughed. 

"You're my cherry pie."  He stated as he pressed his lips against hers. 

"Mmmm..." Kristen hummed as she wrapped her arms around his neck.  She licked her lips as she kissed him back.  "I like cherry pie."

"So do I." Chris replied as he put his arms around her waist and pulled her close.  "I really like cherry pie."  Kristen grinned.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as they stood looking at each other.  "I like this, too." He observed.

"What?" She asked.

"This." He nodded, gesturing between them.  "You and me.  Going to sleep and waking up together.  Getting ready together.  You know...this."

Kristen fought the smile that wanted to break out across her face at his admission.  She saw the tinge of pink on his cheeks and she leaned towards him--kissing him softly.  "I like it, too." She admitted, nodding her head.  Chris tightened his arms around her as he kissed her back.  "I like it, too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kris?"

Kris turned as Amie walked into her office a few days later.  "One second." She mouthed as she held up one finger then went back to the conversation she was having over the phone.  "Thank you." She said to the man she'd been talking to for the last forty-five minutes.  "I'm very excited to have the opportunity to be working with the group.  I'll be in touch with all the final details in the next few weeks."  The conversation ended and Kristen hung up the phone.  "Guess who I just got to sign on for the concert?" She asked, turning to look at her friend.

"Have you seen this?" Amie asked, holding out what looked like a folded section of newspaper.

"What is it?" Kristen asked, taking the paper from the other girl--her excitement over having someone finally commit to the benefit concert dissipating.  Amie's somber expression and concerned eyes made Kristen's heart begin fluttering anxiously in her chest.  "What's going on, Ames?"

"You'll see." Amie remarked as she sat down on the edge of Kristen's desk. 

Kristen looked down at the paper, her eyes scanning over the articles.  "Am am I looking...for..." she trailed off as her eyes caught an all too familiar name printed on the page in front of her.  Her jaw clenched and her fingers crumpled the edges of the paper as she continued reading the article that had been printed in the Entertainment Section that morning.

In response to the report earlier this week that he is currently involved, romantically, with a married woman, Chris Kirkpatrick (of N SYNC fame) release the following statement yesterday: "While the reports that I am dating Kristen Miller are true, some of the particulars of our relationship and her marital status are not.  Kristen has been separated from her husband for the last six months and for the last six months has been in the process of getting a divorce due to reasons that will remain between us out of consideration for her privacy.  She and I only met about a month ago.  She has been nothing but honest with me about the situation involving her soon to be ex-husband and the status of our relationship has nothing to do with her divorce."

We were curious and contacted Ms. Miller's "soon to be ex-husband" as Chris refers to him, to get his side of the story and were shocked to hear his response.  "I feel it is my duty," Mr. Kevin Miller, Kristen's husband said, "To let everyone know that the statement that was released yesterday by Mr. Kirkpatrick is a complete lie. It is true my wife and I are separated but it only happened recently and, until I went to the apartment where she is staying one night to try and talk with her-to try and work things out-I wasn't sure why she had left me or why she was insisting on getting a divorce.  That night I found my wife and Mr. Kirkpatrick together and finally understood why she was leaving me.  My wife and I have only been together a few years but I have worked hard to give her a good life.  We have a nice house and cars and more luxuries than we can really afford, but it was never enough for her.  Somehow she met and became involved with Mr. Kirkpatrick and decided that his lifestyle was more to her liking than the one I could give her working an honest day's work.  I feel hurt and betrayed.  It's difficult living and being in love with someone only to find out they're not who you think they are.  I also feel I should warn Mr. Kirkpatrick that he should get out now.  As soon as something bigger and better comes her way she will leave you like she left me."

Kristen was fuming. 

She crumpled the newspaper up and angrily slammed it down on her desk.  Grabbing her purse she stood and stormed out of her office.

"Kris?" Amie called out as she quickly followed after her.  "Kristen, wait--"

"Tell Michael I had to leave early." Kristen said as she left the administration area.  "I'll make up the time tomorrow."  She gritted her teeth as she stalked out into the front area of the hospital and out to the parking lot.  "I have to go kill my husband."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Good afternoon.  Welcome to Shuster and Baldwin Architecture, how can I help you?"

Kristen glared at the petite brunette sitting behind the desk at the architectural firm Kevin worked for.  "Is Kevin in?" She asked.

"Do you have an appointment with Mr. Miller?" The receptionist asked, hitting a few keys on her keyboard.

"No." Kristen replied, shortly.

"I don't know if Mr. Miller is available today for any walk-ins.  He--"

"He's my husband." Kristen said, cutting the girl off.  The receptionist looked a bit startled-at Kristen's tone of voice or the words she had said, Kristen wasn't sure.  And she really didn't care.  "He has time." She continued.  "I just need to know if he's here.  Is he here?" She asked, quickly losing her patience.  She knew she was beginning to make a spectacle of herself and the few people waiting in the lobby were staring at her.  But again, she didn't care.  She only had one thing on her mind at the moment and she wasn't going to let anything or anyone stand in her way right now.

"Y-yes." The girl replied hesitantly.  "B-but I--"

"No buts." Kristen said, holding up her hand as she once again cut the girl off.  "He's either here, or he's not.  I just--"  A movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention and Kristen's jaw clenched tightly.  She spotted Kevin down the hallway and her anger quickly took over.  "Kevin!" She called out as she began stalking towards him.  He stopped and looked at her--his eyes widening slightly.  "You low-life, good for nothing, lying, cheating, sorry ass, son of a bitch!" She exclaimed.  People stopped talking and head's started popping out of offices as she quickly covered the distance between herself and the man in her sights.  Kristen kept her eyes locked on Kevin's. 

"Kristen." He chuckled nervously, a phony smile plastered on his face.  His eyes darted around the office and then back to her.  "Sweetheart, what are you--"

He was cut off as Kristen's open palm connected with his cheek.  His head snapped to the side and Kristen heard someone behind her gasp in surprise.  "Don't sweetheart me, jackass." She spat out.  "How dare you!  How dare you say those things and make up that ridiculous story!  Have you completely lost it?  What the hell is your problem?!  I don't--" Kevin grabbed a hold of her arm and pulled her forcefully into the closest empty office.  "Let me go!" Kristen exclaimed, fighting against him.  He squeezed her arm painfully as he closed the door behind them and pushed her back against the wall. 

"What the hell is your problem?" He hissed, leaning over her.  His hand was still on her arm and Kristen knew she was going to have bruises in the morning in the shape of his fingerprints.  "What the hell give you the right to waltz in here and start yelling like a lunatic, calling me names and slapping me?!  I should call the police and have them haul your crazy ass downtown and lock you up for a few days." He threatened. 

Kristen finally wrenched her arm free from his grasp and shoved him away from her.  "What the hell gives you the right to say what you said about me to the media?!" She yelled, completely forgetting that there were a couple dozen people probably standing right outside the office door, listening intently to what was going on inside that room. 

"They called and asked me what my response was to the statement that was released about us." He replied simply.

"And so you decided to make up that bullshit of a story!?" She exclaimed.  "You're crazy!  You're completely crazy!  You need to be locked away somewhere in a padded cell.  You are not going to put this all on me.  I am not the reason we are getting this divorce and you know it." His eyes narrowed dangerously and she saw his jaw clench as he attempted to stare her down.  Kristen laughed.  "You don't scare me."  She said taking a step towards him.  He countered by taking a step backwards.  "I'm not afraid of you."

"You should be." He replied. 

"What's that's supposed to mean?" She asked.  He remained silent so she took another step, backing him up even more.  "I have put up with your bullshit for long enough, Kevin and I'm through!  I want you to stop."

"Stop what?" He asked.

"Stop this!" She exclaimed continuing to walk forward.  "Stop everything."  Kevin continued backing up as she advanced towards him, until he ran into the desk in the center of the room.  "No more taking and sending pictures of me to the tabloids.  No more bullshit statements about how I'm doing you wrong and walking out on you because I'm money and fame happy.  No more sad stories about how you're the one that's been betrayed.  No more fake smiles and sending me flowers and showing up unannounced at my door and trying to get back into my good graces.  We're done.  Move on."

"You're making a mistake, sweetheart." He replied.

"Wrong, Kevin." She stated, folding her arms across her chest.  "You're the one who made the mistake.  You made your choice a long time ago, and now you have to live with the consequences.  I've moved on.  I'm with someone else now and I want you to leave me alone.  We're done." She repeated.  "It's over.  Are we clear?" She asked.  Kevin remained silent.  "Are we clear?" Kristen repeated.

"Crystal." He finally ground out through clenched teeth. 

"Good." She replied as she straightened and stepped back.  She tugged on the hem of her shirt.  "Then I'll see you at our next meeting."  She looked at him for a moment then, statisfied that she had made her point, she turned and walked out of the office.  She squared her shoulders as she walked back down the hall towards the front of the office--aware of the stares she was getting, but making eye contact with nobody.  She had done what she'd come to do and she was leaving, feeling stronger than she had in a long time.  A smile tugged at the corner of her mouth as the lyrics to one of her favorite songs suddenly came to mind--a very fitting illustration of what she had just done and how now she was feeling. 

Hush, just stop
There's nothing you can do or say, baby
I've had enough
I'm not your property as from today, baby
You might think that I won't make it on my own
But now I'm...

Stronger than yesterday
Now it's nothing but my way
My loneliness ain't killing me no more
I'm stronger

Than I ever thought that I could be, baby
I used to go with the flow
Didn't really care ‘bout me
You might think that I can't take it, but you're wrong

Cuz now I'm...

Stronger than yesterday
Now it's nothing but my way
My loneliness ain't killing me no more
I'm stronger

Kristen stepped out into the warm afternoon.  She put on her sunglasses as she took a deep breath--a sense of freedom filling her.  She'd done what she'd wanted to do since first finding out about Kevin's infidelity.  She'd stood her ground, told him to leave her alone, and hadn't allowed him to bully her into silence or tears.

A smile slid across her face as she walked across the parking lot--too busy reveling in her newly discovered sense of empowerment to feel the eyes that were following her, boring into the back of her head with an angry intensity. 

~~~~~~~~

Kevin Miller watched from his office window as his wife got into her Jeep and drove away.  Anger filled him--his jaw clenching and his hands fisting at his sides as he thought about what she had just done to him.  How dare she show up like that and humiliate him in front of his boss and co-workers!  How dare she think she could just walk in here and talk to him like she had--demand that he leave her alone!  She was his wife, damn it, and they weren't done until he said they were.

"Better watch your back, sweetheart." He muttered under his breath as he turned and sat down behind his desk.  "We're far from over."

End Notes:

sooo.....whaddya think?? 

Song credits: "Cherry Pie" by Warrant and "Stronger" by Britney Spears  :)

Chapter 21 by azchickadee

"Come on, Paulie!" Kristen yelled at her television a few nights later.  "Don't let the Indians win.  You can do this!"

Chris chuckled as he leaned back against the couch and watched Kristen.  She was crazy and he loved it.  He lifted the bottle in his hand to his lips and took a swig of his beer as the White Sox's player Kristen was yelling at took the plate. 

"Paulie, don't let me down!" Kristen exclaimed.  "I love you, now show me you love me and cream these guys!"

"Should I leave you two alone?" Chris teased.

Kristen scowled as she looked over her shoulder at him.  "Tonight will be a true test of our relationship." She replied as she turned back to the TV.

"How so?" Chris asked as he watched her, his eyes running over her from behind.  Damn, she's hot.  He thought.  She had distracted and mesmerized him from the moment they had met, but watching her get all worked up over her favorite sports team was getting him kind of worked up.  I hope they win.  He found himself thinking.  He knew things would be better for him tonight if Kristen was happy and in the mood to celebrate...

"If you can handle me while watching a White Sox game then we were totally meant to be." She proclaimed, turning to smile at him over her shoulder.  Chris grinned back at her, lifted his beer bottle in salute then took another swig as she went back to watching the game.

"Are you kidding me?!" Kristen screamed.  "What the hell was that?"  Chris watched as she continued throwing curses at the screen, along with a few soft, stuffed baseballs that he had seen her get out earlier and had wondered at their purpose.  "How about we actually play some ball, boys?  Huh?"  She yelled.  "Shit!" She flopped down on the couch, and slumped down, folding her arms across her chest as she pouted beside him as a commercial break came on.  Chris turned to look at her.  "What are you looking at?" She grumbled as she turned to look at him. 

"You're really cute when you're pouting." He remarked.  He leaned towards her, intent on giving her a kiss but Kristen pushed him away.  He lifted one eyebrow in question but before he could say anything she stood up and began cheering again.  He chuckled to himself and leaned back against the cushions--settling in for a long evening.

~~~~~~~~

The White Sox had won their first game of the pre-season and, after a lot of jumping around celebrating in her living room, Kristen had turned to finally give Chris the kiss he'd been waiting for all evening.  She felt bad for pushing him away earlier but it had all been part of the test.  She had been telling him the truth when she told him that the future of their relationship depended on how he reacted to her reaction to the game tonight.  Kevin had never understood her love and devotion to her beloved Sox and one more than one occasion had prevented her from watching a game by sitting down and claiming the television on game night just to spite her.  She had often wondered if he had done it out of jealousy, so she had made an effort to curb her inner sport fanatic and bite her tongue whenever he threw out a jab or an insult at one of her teams.  But no more.  Standing up to Kevin last week and being with Chris this past month had given Kristen a renewed sense of self.  She wasn't going to conform to someone else's image of who she should be.  She knew who she was.  She wasn't going to give up this part of her or try and hide it anymore.  She liked sports.  A lot.  Chris had mentioned before that he liked how she wasn't a typical girl and tonight she had shown him just who she was. 

"You are crazy, girl." Chris remarked as they lay in bed together.  Kristen chuckled as she took a deep breath and snuggled closer to him.  The kiss she had given him had soon escalated and heated up between them, leaving them deliciously sated after an incredibly enthusiastic session of lovemaking.  The ceiling fan in her bedroom rotated above them, cooling their overheated skin.  "Did I pass the test?" He asked. 

Kristen smiled as wound her arm around his waist.  His arm tightened around her as she lifted her head slightly to look down at him.  "You passed the first test." She replied. 

"There's more than one?" He questioned as he looked at her.  Kristen nodded her head.  "What's the next one?  I can take it." He replied confidently. 

"I don't know..." She drawled, looking down as she began running her fingers over his chest.  "Tonight was kind of an easy one."

"Like you?" He teased, mischief sparkling in his dark eyes.  Kristen smacked his chest playfully, making him laugh.  "I didn't say that was a bad thing." He stated as he lifted his head enough to give her a kiss.  Kristen couldn't help the grin that came as she kissed him back.  When he lay back on the pillow she licked her lips, loving the way the taste of him lingered there. 

"The next test is when they lose." She told him.  "We'll see if you still want to be with me then." She chuckled.  "Tonight was nothing compared to what I do when those boys lose.  My mom thinks I need to go see someone about my anger issues involving sports." She confessed.  Chris laughed.  "It's true." She nodded her head.  "Actually, lots of people have told me that." She told him, thinking about all the friends and family members who had ever watched a game with her and then promptly declared that she needed psychiatric help. 

"I think it's great." He stated. 

Kristen narrowed her eyes and cocked her head to the side as she looked at him in question.  "Why?" She asked.  This was new territory for her: being with someone who actually liked her sports addiction.

"Because when you get all worked up it ends up working out very nicely for me." He replied, wagging his eyebrows suggestively.  Kristen laughed.  "And besides," he said as he leaned up to kiss her again--rolling them until she was lying down.  "I think you're hot when you're cheering and throwing insults at the players."

Kristen's smile grew as she lifted her arms, her fingers combing through his hair.  "Oh yeah?" She questioned, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth.

"Yeah." He nodded, kissing her again.  He pulled back slightly, their noses brushing, as he looked down at her.  "I've never seen anyone get into a game as much as I do when I'm cheering my teams on.  It was hot." He said, kissing her again lightly--his eyes never leaving hers.  Kristen's stomach quivered as he remained above her, teasing her with his mouth.  One of his hands slid down to caress her thigh, his fingers gripping slightly as he hitched her leg around his hip.  Kristen's back arched reflexively and she dropped her head back, giving him access to her throat as he lowered his head.  Chris' lips smudged over her skin, raising goose bumps and Kristen's arms wound around his neck--keeping him pressed against her.  "I'm just glad you're a girl." He confessed, his lips brushing over her ear.  "Otherwise I would have been in trouble."

Kristen laughed, her eyes opening as Chris pulled back--chuckling along with her.  He propped himself up on his elbows as he placed his hands against her face.  His thumbs brushed back and forth across her cheeks as his eyes ran over her features, seeming to memorize her.  She watched as the smile slowly left his face and when his brown eyes met hers again, Kristen felt a tingle skirt down her spine. 

"Don't ever be afraid to be who you are around you." He told her.  Kristen swallowed and nodded slightly.  She was surprised at the tears that were suddenly prickling behind her eyes and pulled her bottom lips between her teeth again to hide its trembling.  "What's that look for?" He inquired, watching her closely.

"I, uh..." she cleared her throat and looked away from him for a moment, embarrassed at her sudden display of emotion.

"Kristen?" He questioned.  She looked back at him.  "What's the matter?" He asked.

"Chris, do you..." Kristen paused, not wanting to ask the question running through her mind at the moment, but needing to.  "What did you think about Kevin's statement last week?"

His brows furrowed slightly, obviously taken back at her question.  "It just confirmed to me how much of a douchebag he is."

"No, that's not..." Kristen sighed.  "You just told me to be myself.  What if....what if that's who I am?" She questioned.  "What if I am only with you because of your celebrity status and lifestyle."

"You're not." Chris replied confidently. 

"How do you know?" She questioned, studying him closely. 

"Do I look like an idiot?" Chris asked.

Kristen shook her head.  "No." She replied.  He looked at her pointedly and she sighed. "I just...I mean...we've only known each other for a short time and...you've really only gotten my side of the story.  Maybe I am just after your money and the fame that will come from being with you.  How do you know?  How do you--"

She was cut off as his lips connected with hers.  "Listen to me, Vanilla." He said.  "I've been in show business long enough to spot those people who have ulterior motives.  You," he said, kissing the tip of her nose.  "Don't have any."

"I don't?" She asked.

"Nope." Chris shook his head.  "Beside the fact that I can see the truth in your eyes every time I look at you, if you had ulterior motives and were just in this for the money and fame you would have tried to sleep with me on the first date."

"Uhm..." Kristen drawled then giggled.  "We did sleep together on the first date, remember?"

 "Oh yeah." He conceded.  "We did, huh?" He asked.  She nodded.  "Right, well...what I meant was..." he paused.  "Okay, look that doesn't matter." He shook his head and Kristen chuckled at him.  "What matters is the fact that I think I know you pretty well by now." He stated.

"You do?" She asked.

"Yeah." He nodded.  "I do.  And I'm confident you don't have any ulterior motives." And with that he leaned down once more, pressing his lips to hers.  "If you did," he said pulling back after a moment to look at her.  Kristen's eyes met his as she waited for him to continue.  "You would know that cheering for Pittsburg would get you a hell of a lot further with me than you continuing to cheer for Chicago."  He stated with a straight face.

Kristen laughed and Chris' lips soon lifted in a smile as well as he rolled over beside her on the bed.  "The day I cheer for Pittsburg is the day Kevin and I are going to get back together." She told him, rolling on her side.  "It ain't gonna happen." She stated as she snuggled up against him--her head coming to rest against his chest. "In this life or the next." She promised.

"And that's how I know you don't have any ulterior motives, Vanilla." He told her as he put an arm around her, pulling her close.  "You don't do things just to impress me.  You're just you.  And that's what I love about you."

Kristen smiled as she felt him kiss the top of her head.  She closed her eyes as she listened to the sound of his heart beating beneath her.  She took a deep breath, inhaling the now familiar and incredibly sexy scent that was all his own, as she tightened the arm she had slung around his waist.  They stayed that way for a few quiet moments, enjoying the silence and the simple act of just being together, until an idea popped into her head and she spoke the words aloud before she could think about it.

"Do you want to come with me to my Mom's house for dinner on Sunday?" She asked.  "It's my brother, Jack's, birthday."  Chris was so quiet it sounded like he had even stopped breathing.  Kristen lifted her head to look at him.  "Do you have plans already?" She questioned, wondering if that were the cause of his hesitance.

"No." He shook his head.  He lifted his free hand and tucked some of her hair behind her ear.  His fingers then cupped her cheek and Kristen leaned into his touch.  "That's a big step." He remarked.

"I know." She smiled.

"Are you sure?" He asked.  "I mean, I would love to meet your family, but only if you're sure you're ready for that."

"I am." She nodded.

"Do they...do they know about..." He left the question open.

Kristen nodded.  "They know everything about me and Kevin-well, the adults know everything.  The kids know I'm getting a divorce and that Kevin and I aren't together anymore.  They know I've been seeing someone new.  I haven't told them anything about you," she continued.  "But that's not really going to cause any issues.  You're not going to get attacked or anything when you walk in.  I mean," she chuckled.  "It's not like you're Justin Timberlake, or anything.  No offence."

"And yet another reason I know you have no ulterior motives." He teased with a chuckle.  "You're with me."

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked with a laugh.

"If you were really in this for the celebrity status and money you wouldn't be with me, the odd man of the group." He clarified.

"Stop it." Kristen laughed again as she nudged him.  "I told you, you're the one I always had a crush on."  She leaned over and kissed him softly.  "And don't you think Lance is really the odd man of the group, what with being gay and everything?" She asked.

"Yeah, I guess." Chris conceded with a chuckle. 

Kristen smiled.  "Besides," she shrugged, her smile turning into an evil grin.  "Justin's married.  He's not available right now anyway--even if I wanted him."   Chris growled as he narrowed his eyes at her and tightened his arm around her in a mock threat.  Kristen just laughed.  Their eyes met for a moment and her laughter quieted. "Please come." She said.  Placing her hand over his that still rested against her face she turned her head slightly and kissed his palm.  "I want you to come with me."

He nodded.  "I would be honored." He said, smiling up at her. 

Kristen grinned in excitement.  "Good." She proclaimed with a nod then laid her head back down on his chest.  Chris put both arms around her as he hugged her close. 

"What time is dinner?" He asked after a quiet moment.

"Six."

"I love you, Kristen Miller." He said quietly.

Kristen smiled as she tightened her arm around him.  "I love you, too." She said as she closed her eyes--finally giving in to sleep.  I love you, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"He's hot."

Kristen looked over as her niece Delainey sat down next to her on the couch Sunday evening.  Kristen smiled as she observed the teenager.  Delainey's eyes were focused on Chris and Kristen recognized the look in her niece's eyes--it was the same look that had been in her own eyes from the day she had met the man that was currently sitting in front of her mother's television, playing a video game with her nephew, Preston.  "You think so?" Kristen asked the girl as she went back to watching Chris and her nephew.

"Mmm-hmm." Delainey nodded.  "He's way cuter than Uncle Kevin." She admitted.  Kristen looked over at her niece.  Delainey's cheeks reddened as she looked at Kristen sheepishly.  "Sorry." She apologized.

"Why are you sorry?" Kristen asked.

"Mom said we..." Delainey paused.  "She said we shouldn't say anything bad about Uncle Kevin even though he's not going to be our uncle anymore."

Kristen smiled as she leaned over.  Putting her arm around Delainey's shoulders, Kristen pulled her close and pressed a kiss to the top of the girl's head.  "It's ok." Kristen told the girl.  "He is way cuter than Uncle Kevin." She admitted in a whisper.  Delainey giggled as she leaned her head on Kristen's shoulder.  "So..." Kristen drawled.  "How are things going with that boy, Travis?  Still just texting each other or has it moved on to...other things?"  Delainey giggled again and ducked her head.  "Ah!" Kristen chuckled as she nudged her niece.  "Does that giggle mean what I think it means?"

"They've kissed." Preston supplied, suddenly jumping into the conversation the girls were having on the couch.

"Preston!" Delainey exclaimed.

"Kissed?" Chris asked, turning to look at Kristen and Delainey over his shoulder.  "You're too young to be kissing anyone, aren't you?" He teased.

"I'm fifteen." Delainey replied in defense.  She straightened and pulled away from Kristen slightly.  "I'm old enough to kiss someone if I want to."  Kristen smiled at her niece's attempt to show how mature she was. She and Chris shared a knowing look.

"Have you and Aunt Kristen kissed?" Preston asked Chris. 

Chris' eyes met Kristen's.  She lifted one brow at him and waited, curious to see how he was going to answer the boy's question. 

"Uh..." Chris hesitated.  "Yeah."

"Of course they have!" Delainey insisted.  "That's what you do when you're in love." She continued.  "You kiss." She stated authoritatively.  Kristen smiled as she looked at Chris.  Chris winked at her, his own lips lifting in a smile.

Preston nodded as if he were thinking hard about what his sister had said.  "So does that mean you didn't love Uncle Kevin?" The little boy asked. 

"Preston!" Delainey hissed.  "You don't ask things like that!"

"It's okay." Kristen told her niece. 

"Cuz, I never saw you guys kissin'." Preston continued as if he hadn't heard his sister's reprimand. 

This time it was Chris' turn to look at Kristen in question, curious as to how she was going to answer.  "I did love Uncle Kevin." Kristen told Preston.  "But then I stopped loving him."

"Why?" Preston asked, the video game he had been playing with Chris forgotten for the moment.

"Because..." Kristen drawled, wondering how to explain this to the nine-year-old.  Delainey looked at her, waiting for Kristen's answer and Kristen felt the pressure build.  She looked at Chris, silently pleading for him to help her out.  He just shrugged and she nodded.  It wasn't his place to say anything about her relationship with her soon to be ex-husband.  Kristen took a deep breath as she looked first at Delainey and then over at Preston.  "Sometimes..." she hesitated.  "Sometimes you just...stop being friends with people and that's what happened with Uncle Kevin and I.  We were in love and then we just...stopped being in love."  Preston looked at her with his big blue eyes and Kristen looked at Chris again.  "I know it's hard to understand, but someday you will." Kristen assured him.

"You stopped loving Uncle Kevin," Preston said.  "And now you love Chris?" He asked. 

"Yes." Kristen nodded, smiling as her eyes met Chris'. 

"So," Preston turned to look at Chris.  Chris looked down at the little boy.  "Does that mean you're going to be my uncle now?"

Chris' eyes shot up to meet Kristen's and she was sure her own face mirrored the look of shock that was on his.  Her heart began pounding in her chest as she waited to see what he was going to say.  "I-I...uhm...well, I..." He swallowed hard and lifted one hand, rubbing the back of his neck.  He chuckled nervously.  "Well, I guess that's, uhm...that's up to your Aunt Kristen, there." He said, nodding and pointing at Kristen. 

Preston nodded again.  "I think you'd be a cool uncle." He said as he shifted and turned his attention back to the television screen.  "Nobody else ever plays video games with me." He muttered under his breath. 

Chris chuckled as he reached over and tousled Preston's hair then began playing a new game with him.  Kristen and Delainey stayed on the couch talking and laughing until the rest of the family members they were waiting on arrived and everyone was called to the dining room for dinner.  Chris stood up as Kristen walked over to him, a smile on her face. 

"What's that look for?" He asked as she slipped her hand into his-their fingers threading together as she leaned towards him. 

"You handled that very well." She told him as she pressed his lips to his. 

"So did you."  He said.  "Although, I have to say," he blew out a breath as he shook his head.  "That was more intense than any interview I've ever done!" He exclaimed.  "And I've done some pretty intense interviews over the years."  Kristen laughed as she kissed him again.  "He's a good kid." He nodded.  "They both are."

"Yeah." Kristen smiled.  "They are."  She took a deep breath.  "So..." She drawled. 

"So?" He echoed. 

"You ready for this?" She asked gesturing towards the dining room where the noise of the family gathering could be heard. 

"Psh!" He waved a hand through the air.  "If I can handle ‘Preston the Inquisitor,' I can handle dinner with your family." He stated confidently.

Kristen smirked as they left the Family Room.  "We'll see."  She muttered under her breath.  "We'll see."   

~~~~~~~~~~

"Come on, Aunt Kristen!" Preston cheered a few hours later.  "Beat him!  Beat him!  Beat him!"

"Quiet, Preston." Kristen laughed as she tried to stay focused on the screen in front of her.  "You're throwing off my groove!"

"What groove?" Chris taunted beside her.  "Do you see how many steps you're missing?" He asked with a laugh.  "You ain't got any groove, baby."  Kristen reached over and smacked his arm as she continued dancing but, she missed one too many steps and she lost.  "Yes!" Chris threw his arms up in the air in victory.  The audience they had of Kristen's family all cheered and taunted from their seats around the room.

"Damn you, Kirkpatrick!" Kristen said with a glare though she was anything but mad.  Dinner had gone better than she had expected.  Her family had welcomed Chris in with open arms and the conversation over dinner had been light and easy.  Once it had been revealed who he was, Chris had kept everyone laughing and entertained with stories of life on the road as a member of one of the biggest pop music groups of all time.  After dinner they had had cake and ice cream, and Jack had opened his gifts, then everyone had moved into the Family Room.  Preston had quickly challenged Chris to a game of Dance, Dance Revolution on his PlayStation.  Chris had beaten Preston which had led to Kristen now playing for dominance.   

"Do it again!  Do it again!" Preston encouraged.  "You almost had him."

Kristen put her hands on her hips, her chest rising and falling as she tried to catch her breath.  She looked at her nephew--his big blue eyes pleading with her--then looked at Chris--his brown eyes sparkling with mischief--and she threw her hands up.  "Oh, all right.  One more time."  Preston cheered and Chris smirked.  "What's that smirk for?" Kristen asked him.  "You're going down." She threatened as she jumped up and down lightly a few times to get ready for another dance battle. 

Chris laughed.  "Do I need to remind you that I was in a boyband?" He asked.  "If anyone's going to win this little dance-off..."

"It's gonna be me!" Chris and Kristen both said at the same time.  They looked at each other and immediately began laughing.  No one else seemed to understand what was so funny, which just made them laugh even more. 

"What's so funny?" Preston asked.

"Nothing." Kristen said as she wiped the tears from her eyes.  "Let's go." She said to Chris.  He selected the song and they set the difficulty level for the dance moves they each wanted then began the game. 

"Good job!" Preston cheered as Kristen seemed to be beating Chris. 

"Ha!"  She taunted.  "You see that?" She laughed as she continued to hit the right arrows on the mat they were standing on in order.  "This is how you do it!"  She reached up and tucked some hair behind her hears.  Chris bumped her with his hip, intent on throwing her off.  "Cheater!" She laughed as she pushed him back.   

"Oops, I slipped." He replied with a laugh as they continued dancing.

"Slipped my ass." Kristen muttered under her breath.  He did it again, bumping her harder this time and Kristen reached over and smacked his arm hard.

"Ow!" He exclaimed. 

"That's what you get for cheating!" She replied with a laugh as she stuck her tongue out at him.  Chris narrowed his eyes and the game was soon forgotten as they each tried to now knock the other one down.  "We're supposed to be dancing!" She laughed, trying to stay away from him as much as she could.  "Not playing Twister!" Chris just laughed as he reached out with his left foot just then and slid it behind her feet--knocking her down.  Kristen squealed as she reached out and grabbed a hold of his shirt.  She wasn't going down unless she brought him with her. 

They went toppling down onto the floor in a laughing and tangled mess of arms and legs while everyone in the room was laughing.  As they landed, Chris tried to catch himself as much as he could from landing on top of her by bracing his hands on the floor.  However, he still landed mostly on top of her--knocking the wind out of her.  Kristen was able to catch her breath a moment later, but bit her lip as a sharp, searing pain shot up her leg.  She closed her eyes, but tears quickly came and she cried out as Chris moved from on top of her.  

"What's wrong?" He asked, looking her over fantically.  "What?  What happened?" The laughter in the room silenced as everyone quickly realized something bad had happened.

"My ankle." Kristen ground out, biting her lip so hard she thought she was going to bite clear through it.  "Shit, it hurts!" She cursed.

"Jack, go call an ambulance." Kristen's mother said as she came and knelt down beside her.

"No, I don't need--ow!  Damn it!" Kristen exclaimed, crying as she tried to move her leg.  The tears became heavier and she fisted her hands as the pain overwhelmed her.  She turned her head and opened her eyes-looking at Chris who sat beside her on the floor.  The look of fear and concern on his face made her cry even more.  She reached out towards him and he took her hand, gripping her fingers tightly. 

"I'm sorry." He apologized.  "I am so sorry.  I didn't mean to hurt you.  I just--"

"It's okay." She said, grimacing as another wave of pain hit her.  She tightened her hold on his hand-squeezing his fingers tightly as she closed her eyes.  "It was...an accident." She breathed out, trying to focus on breathing evenly, hoping it would help take her mind off the pain.

"They're on their way." Jack said coming back into the room.  "What do you need, Kris?" He asked as he came to stand beside her. 

"A drink." She replied.  Chris squeezed her fingers in silent support and she turned to look at him as Jack left the room.  "Leave it to me, to ruin the night." She laughed bitterly, trying to laugh about her situation.

"It wasn't you, it was me." Chris stated.  "This is my fault."

"It's nobody's fault." Kristen's mother interjected.  "It was accident, like Kristen said."  She reached over and patted Chris on the shoulder.  "Don't beat yourself up about it.  Kristen's a tough girl.  Has she filled you in yet on all the injuries she's had over the years playing volleyball and softball?" Suzanne laughed.  "I swear, there was a time there for awhile that every nurse and doctor in the ER knew us by name.  Her dad used to joke around that he was just going to start having his paychecks sent directly to the hospital to cover our monthly tab." 

Kristen chuckled through her pain and tears.  "But I never broke a bone."  She sniffed.  She looked over at Chris.  "This is another first of mine you get to experience." She laughed, thinking of their conversation from last week. 

"Not funny." He said, shaking his head.  He looked close to tears himself and Kristen knew if he started crying she was really going to lose it.  "This isn't funny.  I don't want to experience anymore firsts like this." He said as the doorbell suddenly rang.  "Okay?"

"Okay."  She nodded.  "But that means you have to stop cheating when we play games." She teased, finally making him laugh. 

"Deal." He replied as the paramedics appeared and began working on her ankle.  "No more cheating."        

End Notes:
so....like it?  hate it?  leave me a review and let me know what you think!  :)
Chapter 22 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
better late than never, right?  I'm sorry it has taken me so long to update.  Thumb surgery, buying a house, moving into my parent's house until I close on my new house, starting a new online class, ridiculous drama at work, and the list goes on and on....
One surgery and a sleepless night later Chris walked down the hall of the hospital wing where Kristen was staying and hesitantly knocked on her assigned door.  He heard a voice call out, inviting whoever it was, in to the room.  Taking a deep breath Chris opened the door and walked in.

"Good morning." Kristen's mother, Suzanne, greeted him from the chair she was sitting in. 

"Morning." Chris nodded his head in greeting.  He watched as she stood, stretching her back muscles.  "How is she?" He asked, his attention turning to Kristen who was still sleeping.  He stepped towards the bed and reached out, his hand brushing across her forehead as he moved some hair from her face.

"The surgery went fine." Suzanne reported.  "She's going to be in a walking cast for the next six weeks at least."  Chris' eyes left Kristen's face and moved down the bed to her legs.  He could see the bulkiness of the cast she was now wearing under the blankets that were covering her and cringed slightly--the guilt and remorse he'd been battling since the accident coming back full force.  He looked back at her face, his eyes tracing over her features as her mom continued her report--repeating back to him what the doctor had told her a few hours ago.  "She's woken up once or twice since coming out of surgery, but she's been pretty out of it both times.  She asked for you though," Suzanne said, placing a hand on Chris' shoulder as she came to stand next to him.  "Said something about needing to get you back for sinking her battleship."  Chris laughed in spite of himself and looked over his shoulder at the woman.  Suzanne smiled as she squeezed his shoulder comfortingly.  "It was an accident." She said, reading his thoughts and the guilt in his eyes like all good mothers could.  Chris nodded his head silently as he looked back at Kristen.  "I'm going to go walk around for a minute." She continued.  "Pull up a chair." Suzanne invited.  "She should be waking up soon."  She didn't even wait for him to say anything before she left the room. 

Chris sighed heavily as he pulled the chair her mother had been sitting in closer to the bed and sat down.  Reaching out he took Kristen's hand in his as he leaned towards the bed.  He watched as Kristen continued sleeping--losing track of the time-until she finally began to show signs of waking up.  He stood as she opened her eyes and smiled down at her as she blinked a few times. "Good morning." He said quietly as she seemed to look right through him. 

"I feel...fuzzy." She mumbled, her words slurring together and barely discernible. 

"What?" He chuckled, leaning towards her.

"Hmmm?" She hummed, glancing around the room and then back at him.  "What are you doing here?" She asked as she looked back at him--her eyes glassy and unfocused.  "Where am I?"

"You're in the hospital." He told her, wondering what kind of pain medication the doctor had put her on.  She seemed completely out of it.  "Do you remember?" He asked.

Kristen nodded as she ran a hand through her hair and swallowed a few times.  "I need a drink." She declared.  Chris looked around for a cup.  Spotting one on the bedside table he filled it up with water from the small sink that was in the room then brought it back to her.  "Thanks." She said as she accepted the cup from her.

"How are you feeling?" He asked as she looked around the room again trying, he assumed, to orient herself to her new surroundings. 

"I feel fuzzy." She repeated. "My whole body feels fuzzy.  I can't really remember anything after we got here last night and I just feel....weird." She said finally turning to look at him again. 

"Your mom said everything went okay." He told her, pulling the chair over next to the bed and sitting down.  "You're going to be in the cast for at least six weeks though, and my guess is that you're going to have to do some physical therapy as well."  Kristen groaned.  "I feel horrible." He admitted.

"Why?" She questioned, looking at him.  "You're not the one in the cast." She stated.  He looked down at the ground.  "It was an accident." Kristen said, guessing where his thoughts were.  "Everything's okay."

"No it's not." Chris shook his head as he looked up at her again.

"What do you mean?" Kristen asked.  "I'm fine."

"You're not fine." He insisted. 

"I'm not?" She questioned, looking at him in confusion. 

"No." He replied.  "You're not."

Kristen was quiet for a moment as she tried to follow what he was saying.  Finally she gave up.  "They must have me on some kickass drugs right now," she remarked.  "Because I feel fine.  Why aren't I fine?"  She asked.  "I'm confused.  Help me out here.  The drugs are obviously messing with my head."

~~~~~~~~~

Kristen lay on the narrow and extremely uncomfortable hospital bed, looking at Chris--waiting for his response.  She never got tired of just looking at him.  From his incredible eyes to his perfect lips, he was beautiful to her and she counted her lucky stars that he had come into her life when he had and had decided to stay. 

"I broke your damn ankle, Kristen!" He exclaimed, jarring her from her study of him.  He pointed at her left foot as he stood up in agitation.  "And we weren't even doing anything kinky!" He said, his eyes meeting hers once again.  "You're lying in bed right now, immobile, because of me."

Kristen felt a giggle building up, wanting to escape, and she tried her hardest to keep it in.  She could see how much this was bothering him but she couldn't stop the words that left her mouth in response to his statement.  "Just like I was a couple nights ago?" She asked.  "Baby, you always leave me immobile in bed.  That's just the way we roll." Kristen fought the smile that wanted to break out but finally lost the battle.  Unable to contain her laughter anymore she laid her head back against the pillow and put her arms across her stomach as she struggled to contain herself. Chris rolled his eyes and glared at her as she continued giggling. 

"Yeah, laugh it up." He muttered under his breath with another roll of his eyes.  "I feel horrible." He admitted again, tearing his eyes from her and looking down at the floor.

"It was an accident, Chris." She replied reaching out, placing her hand against his arm.  "Look at me." She requested.  He kept his eyes focused on the floor.  "Chris." She said, tugging on his arm slightly.  He still wouldn't look at her.  "Christopher." She stated.  Finally, his brown eyes lifted and connected with hers. 

"I hurt you, Kristen." He told her, as if she weren't aware of what had happened.  "Something I promised I'd never do."

"Did you do it on purpose?" She asked him.  "Did you set out with the express intention of this happening when we started playing the game?"

"No." He shook his head.

"No." She repeated.  "It was an accident." She reiterated.  "Please stop beating yourself up about it?" He remained quiet.  "Do you want to be the first to sign my cast?" She asked with a grin.  Chris looked down towards the foot of the bed, then back at her.   "Come on," she prodded with a smile.  "You know you want to..."

"Do you have a pen?" He asked and her smile grew. 

"Uhm..." she looked around the room.  Of course there wasn't a pen anywhere in sight.  It was a hospital room. 

"Maybe there's one in here."  He said as he reached down and picked up what looked like her mother's purse from off the floor. 

"Is my mom here?" Kristen asked, a little confused about the purse's presence in the room.

"Yeah." Chris nodded.  "She left for a minute to go walk around.  She should be back soon." Kristen looked inside the purse, finally pulling out a pen and handing it to him.  "What do you want me to say?" He asked as he took the lid off the pen.  He stepped down towards the end of the bed, pulled back the blanket covering her.

"Whatever you want." She smiled with a shrug of her shoulders.  "Surprise me.  But," she continued and he looked at her.  "Make sure it's legible so I can sell it on E-bay later." She teased.  Chris chuckled as he rolled his eyes and Kristen giggled as he bent down slightly and began writing.

"There." He said straightening and snapping the lid back on the pen.

"What did you say?" She asked trying to move so she could see her leg.

"It's a surprise." He replied, dropping the pen back into her mother's purse.  "You said you wanted me to surprise you." He told her, mischief sparkling in his brown eyes. 

"Punk." She declared as she stuck her tongue out at him.

"Don't stick your tongue out at me unless you intend on using it." He cautioned.

"Come here and I will." She sassed.  Chris made a noise of interest as one of his dark brow rose slightly.  He bent over her and Kristen wound her arms around his neck as their lips connected.  He placed his hands on the bed on either side of her as she deepened the kiss.  He pulled back a moment later, resting his forehead against hers, and Kristen struggled to control her ragged breathing.  She licked her lips as she moved her arms-her hands coming to rest on his cheeks, framing his face between them.  "What did you write?" She asked him. 

He chuckled quietly, pressed his lips against her forehead then stood up.  Kristen put her arms down, resting her hands against her stomach.  "I just signed my name." He told her.

"That's boring." She declared.

"You said you wanted to sell it on E-bay later." He reminded her.  "I didn't want to make it too mushy or personal." He teased.

Kristen rolled her eyes.  "Did you really only sign your name?" She asked.

"I might have said that I love you." He replied, acting nonchalant about it.  Kristen smiled.  "And I might have put my phone number on it."

"What?" She laughed.  "Why would you have put your phone number on my cast?" She asked him.  "I know your number."

"I know you do, but whoever buys this on E-bay isn't going to have my number." He remarked.  "They may be hot."

Kristen laughed.  "They may be crazy." She told him as she reached out, playfully slapping his arm.  "I mean, who would buy someone's old, nasty cast just because it had a celebrity's autograph on it?  You really want to give your number to someone like that?"

Chris grimaced with worry.  "You're right.  I didn't think about that." He told her. 

"Great." Kristen teased.  "Now I can't sell it.  There goes the fifty bucks I was going to make."

"Fifty bucks?!" Chris exclaimed, looking hurt.  "Is that all I'm worth now?"

"Well, let's face it babe." She replied, fighting to keep a straight face.  "It's been awhile since you were topping the charts and...you're no Justin Timberlake." She giggled. 

Chris narrowed his eyes as he looked at her.  He reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet.  Kristen laughed as he threw some money at her.  "There's your fifty bucks." He said. 

"Awesome!" Kristen exclaimed, gathering the bills up as she continued laughing.  "Now I can buy that leopard print snuggie I've always wanted!"

"You're going to trade me for a snuggie?!" He replied.

"Well, not anymore." Kristen giggled.  "You just gave me money so now I don't have to sell my cast."

"You know," he remarked as he jammed his wallet back in his pocket and sat down heavily in the chair beside the bed.  "It's a good thing you're so damn adorable."

Kristen laughed.  "Come here." She said, holding out her hand to him.

"No." He said with a pout as he folded his arms across his chest and turned his head away from her.

"Stop being a big baby and come here." Kristen laughed.  "Please?" She asked. 

He turned to look at her.  "I'm right here." He said.  "What do you want?"

"I want you to come here." She said, crooking her finger at him.  He just narrowed his eyes as he looked at her.  "You are such a child sometimes, I swear!" She remarked with a roll of her eyes.  "It's a good thing you're so damn adorable." She sighed. 

Chris stood and stepped closer to the bed.  "What do you want?" He asked. 

"Come here." She said, beckoning him closer.  He bent towards her slightly and Kristen put her arms around his neck as she pulled him down-kissing him soundly before he could object.  "I love you." She declared. 

"Even though I'm only worth fifty bucks?" He asked with a teasing sparkle in his eyes.  He kissed her and Kristen giggled.

"That's one of the reasons." She told him, kissing him back. 

"What are the other reasons?" He asked.

"Well, you're not conceded." Kristen replied dryly.  "I mean you never fish for compliments or anything like that.  That's one."

Chris puffed out his chest slightly.  "I would have to agree with that one." He said, nodding in agreement.  Kristen laughed, shaking her head at him.  "What else?" He asked.

"Oh, come on!" She exclaimed.  "Are you serious?  You really want me to list off all the reasons I love you?  Right now?  While I'm lying in a hospital bed with my foot in a cast?"

"You're not going anywhere." He replied.  "So now is the perfect time."  He grinned. 

Kristen laughed.  "I don't think I have enough pain medication in me to do this." She muttered with a good natured roll of her eyes. 

"I'm waiting." Chris stated, folding his arms across his chest. 

"And you're going to keep waiting." Kristen told him.  "I don't think--"

"Oh, good!  You're awake!"

Chris and Kristen both looked towards the door of the room as Kristen's mother suddenly appeared.    

"The doctor is on his way in to check on you." Suzanne informed her daughter.  "How are you feeling?"

"Fine." Kristen replied.  "Until this doofus started bothering me." She stated, pointing at Chris. 

"She loves me." Chris told Suzanne matter-of-factly.  "And she was just about to tell me all the reasons why.  Weren't you?" He asked, turning to look at Kristen.

"I was not!" Kristen exclaimed with a laugh.  "You punk."  She stuck her tongue out at him.

"I believe we already had a conversation about that." Chris said, pointing at her. "Are you intending to use that thing correctly?" He asked.

Kristen glanced over at her mother then looked at Chris pointedly, silently telling him to shut up.  She felt her cheeks warm slightly.  She did not want to get into this particular conversation again with her mother standing in the room. 

Suzanne laughed and patted Chris on the shoulder.  "You are a special man if you are able to put up with this girl's sass and attitude." She stated.  "Are you sure you don't want to leave now since she can't really chase after you?"

"Mom!" Kristen exclaimed, shocked at what her mother was suggesting. 

Chris threw back his head and laughed.  "No." He shook his head, his eyes meeting and holding Kristen's.  "I don't want to leave."  Kristen felt her stomach quiver as he winked at her. 

"You're a good man." Suzanne commented.  "A good man." 

"Actually, the jury's still out on that." Kristen muttered under her breath then looked at Chris with a teasing grin. 

Chris gasped and placed his hand over his chest.   "Kristen..." he paused, cocking his head to the side-his face scrunched up as if deep in thought.

"Don't hurt yourself." Kristen commented with a chuckle.

"I don't think I know your middle name." He said looking at her. 

"Nicole." Suzanne supplied.

"Kristen Nicole Miller." Chris said, in mock sternness.  Kristen's stomach quivered again at hearing him say her full name.  "You wound me."

"You had your chance to run." She replied with a smile.  "You didn't.  So deal with it."

"I told you." He said, reaching for a grabbing her hand.  "I don't want to leave." 

~~~~~~~

Kristen smiled at him and Chris couldn't help smiling back.  She was something else. There she was--laughing, joking and teasing around with him while she lay in a hospital bed after he had tripped her, fallen on top of her and broken her ankle!  And all because he had wanted to beat her at a stupid video game!  She should be upset with him.  She should have banned him from the room and from ever seeing her again, but instead her eyes sparkled happily as she looked at him adoringly and her beautiful smile made him feel like a putz.  He didn't deserve her.  He knew this.  She was too nice, too beautiful, too good.  With everything he had seen and done in his life...how was it he was standing here now?  With her?  What the hell had he done to deserve her? 

The doctor came in to check on her and Chris stepped back as the man pulled the blanket away from Kristen's leg to examine the cast.  "Are you feeling any pain yet?" The doctor asked.

"Not yet." Kristen shook her head.  "Should I?"

"You probably will start to feel something in the next couple hours." The doctor stated.  "But there's really no reason to keep you here any longer.  The surgery went well and I don't foresee any complications.  It was a clean break.  We had to put a couple screws in to hold everything in place but I don't think you'll have any problem getting back to full range of motion once the cast comes off."

Chris grimaced in pain at the doctor's words.  She now had screws in her ankle because of him.  What kind of man are you? He was caught off guard as the question Kristen had asked him during their first date came back to his mind.  The kind of man who puts his girlfriend in the hospital apparently.  He thought in self-recrimination.  Kristen's eyes flicked to his-holding his gaze unwaveringly as if she had heard his thoughts.  He could feel her arguing with him, though she wasn't saying a word, telling him once again that it had been an accident and she wasn't blaming him for what had happened.

He sighed. What did I do to deserve you?  He asked her silently.  A small smile lifted her lips as if she had again heard his thoughts.  She continued looking at him for a moment before turning her attention back to the doctor.

"If you'd like to go home I can have your discharge papers written up." The doctor said.

"That would be great!" Kristen exclaimed.  "I was thinking I was going to have to spend the night on this awful bed but if I can go home that would be awesome."

"I'll go get them put together and write you out a prescription for some pain medication." He said as he turned and began leaving the room.

"Make sure it's the good stuff." Kristen told him.

The doctor chuckled as he left the room.  "I'll see what I can do for you." He said.

"Well," Suzanne said, picking up her purse from the floor.  "I'm going to go get the car and pull it around front."  She said.  "Then I'll take you--"

"To my house." Chris said, cutting Kristen's mother off.  Kristen and Suzanne looked at him in surprise.  The words had surprised him as well but once they left his mouth he was suddenly determined. 

"What?" Both women said.

"I'm going to go get my car and then I'm going to take you to my place." Chris stated.

"Chris," Kristen said, shaking her head.  "You don't have to--"

"Yes, I do." He said, stepping up to the side of the bed and taking her hand again.  "You live on the second floor." He reminded her.  "And you drive a Jeep with a stick shift.  How are you going to get to your apartment or drive your car?" He asked.

"I..." Kristen trailed off.  "I hadn't thought about that." She admitted. 

"She can stay with me." Suzanne offered.  "That's where I was going to take her-home with me."

 "All of your guest rooms are on the second floor, Chris." Kristen stated.  "What are you going to do?" She asked.  "Carry me up there?" She chuckled.  "I don't think so.  Just let me stay at Mom's." She continued.  "You can come see me every day." 

"Please?  Let me do this." Chris said, looking back and forth between the women.  "Let me take care of you?" He asked, looking at Kristen imploringly.  "I want to take care of you.  I know it was just an accident but...it's the least I can do.  And I want to do it."

Kristen looked at him for a moment then at her mother.  Finally her brown eyes returned to his and Chris saw her nod slightly.  "Okay." She smiled.  "Your place it is."

Chris smiled then leaned down and kissed her.  "I'll go get my car." He said then quickly left the room.

~~~~~~~~

Kristen watched as Chris disappeared through the door of her hospital room.  A smile spread across her face as she replayed the last few minutes in her head.  If he wanted to take care of her, who was she to tell him he couldn't?  She chuckled quietly to herself as she shook her head.  Normally she wasn't one who liked being dependent on others, but something about the thought of that man taking care of her made her insides feel all tingly and fluttery.  Kevin never would have volunteered for something like that if this had happened when they had been dating--further proving just how different Chris was from her soon to be ex-husband.   

"He's a good man." Her mother's words drew her from her thoughts and Kristen's smile grew.

"Yeah." Kristen nodded in agreement as she looked at her mother.  Suzanne smiled at her daughter.  "He is.  He really is."

"You hold on to him." Her mother counseled. 

"Oh, I plan to." Kristen replied with a sigh.  I plan to.

~~~~~~~~

"Stop, stop, stop!" Kristen giggled a few nights later.  She wiggled beneath Chris where she lay on his bed, trying to get away from him. 

"Get back here." He chuckled as he blocked her from leaving.  "What is your problem right now?" He asked as he propped himself up on his arms and looked down at her.  "Don't you want me?" He pouted.

Kristen pushed the hair back from her eyes as she looked up at him, laughing.  "I haven't...you know...been able to...shave my legs all week because of this stupid cast." She replied.  "It's not very sexy." She shook her head.

Chris laughed, collapsing onto the bed beside her.  "I haven't shaved my legs ever." He said, lifting one leg over her.  "But you still find me sexy, right?"  He asked.  This time it was Kristen's turn to laugh.  "Don't you?" He asked.  "Hmm..." he hummed, rolling over on top of her again, when she still hadn't given him an answer.  "Don't you think I'm sexy?" He prodded.

"No." Kristen replied with a straight face and a shake of her head. She reached up and ran her fingers through his hair.  "Not at all."

"You know, you can go to hell for lying." He told her as he looked down at her.  Kristen just smiled as she reached up-winding her arms around his neck. 

"That's not all I'm going to hell for." She confessed.

"That's because you're my crazy girl." He said with a grin as he dipped his head.  Kristen moaned in agreement as his lips met hers.  "Speaking of which." He said, pulling back suddenly.

"Yes?" Kristen asked, looking at Chris expectantly. 

"How would you feel about being in a music video?" He asked, leaning down to kiss her again.

"Are you kidding me?" Kristen exclaimed, pushing him away.  "Are you..." She paused, looking at him, her eyes searching his.  "That would be awesome! Amazing!  Who...what...where..."

Chris chuckled at her stuttering.  He rolled over on his side beside her.  Propping his head in one hand he smiled at her. 

"Details!" Kristen demanded, reaching out to shake him.  Chris laughed again.  "Are you...this better not be a joke." She told him.  "If it is, we will cease to be friends."

"I, uhm...I kind of wrote a song about you." He told her hesitantly.

"What?" Kristen asked.  "Really?"  Chris nodded.  "You wrote a song about me?"

"Yeah."

"I..." She looked at him.  "I don't know what to say." She told him.

"Say you'll be in the music video." He prodded.

"Is this like a...a real music video or just something that you're doing for the hell of it?" She asked. 

"It's a real one." He chuckled. 

"Well..." She paused, sitting up and tucking her hair behind her ears.  "Can I...can I hear the song first?" She asked.

Chris looked at her for a minute then turned and rolled over and out of bed.  Kristen looked at him, smiling when he held out his hand to her.  "Come on." He said.  Kristen put her hand in his and he helped her stand up.  He released her hand and turned his back to her.  "Come on." He said again.

"Come on, what?" Kristen asked.

"Get on." He said bouncing slightly, indicating he wanted her to get on his back.

"Are you serious?" She asked.

"This is going to be the quickest way to get you down to the studio to listen to the song." He replied.  "Come on."

Kristen climbed up on his back.  He put his arms around her legs as she wrapped them around his back and bounced her slightly--getting her into a more comfortable position.  Kristen started laughing as a song started playing in her head. 

"What's so funny?" Chris asked as he turned, walked out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

"I just have these lyrics going through my head right now." Kristen giggled.  "Ride it, ride it, ride it, ride it, ride it, ride it, ride it, giddy up, giddy up, giddy up now." She sang, as he began bouncing down the stairs.

"Tried to get a hold of you last night." Chris began, singing the first verse the song that Kristen remembered first hearing when she had accidently found their Disney Channel Concert on TV twelve years ago.

"Called you on the phone." Kristen supplied. 

"Thinkin' to myself something ain't right." Chris sang the next line.

"Girl were you alone?" Kristen sang, lowering her voice dramatically to imitate Lance's bass.

Chris laughed.  "Nice!" He commended.  "Girl, you could give Lance a run for his money.  Where were you when we were originally looking for a bass singer?" He asked as they finally made it down to his home studio.  Kristen slid off his back and chuckled as she tucked her hair behind her ears.   "You're a hell of a lot prettier than Lance, that's for sure." He grinned and winked at her as he sat down behind what she assumed was the soundboard. 

Kristen shook her head.  "Having a girl in the group would have ruined the whole ‘boyband' thing." She said.

"Yeah, I guess." He conceded.  He reached out and pulled out the chair that was next to him, gesturing for her to sit down.  "But if Lance can't come for this whole reunion thing you're planning--"

"We're planning." Kristen corrected him as she sat down beside him. 

"We're  planning." Chris repeated with a roll of his eyes.  "If he can't come, you are totally singing his part in that song." He stated. 

Kristen laughed.  "We'll see." She said.  "But enough about me." She said.  "I want to hear your song."

"That's about you?" He asked.  "I can't let you listen to it if you want to stop talking about you."

 Kristen laughed as she reached over and smacked his arm playfully.  "Punk." She proclaimed.  Chris grinned as he leaned over and kissed her.  "Just play the song." She said as he pulled back.  She grinned--an excited flutter filling her.  She couldn't believe that he had written a song for her!  Chris looked at her for a moment then turned and flipped a few switches on the board and turned a few knobs. 

"It's not completely finished yet." He told her as the song started.  "So...just keep that in mind."

Kristen's smile grew as she looked at Chris.  He was trying to hide it but she could tell he was nervous about having her listen to the song--which just made her smile more.  She leaned back in her chair as she listen to the song, cursing the fact that her ankle was encased in the huge, ugly plaster cast she was sporting now.  If her ankle wasn't broken she would totally be up dancing to this song.  She laughed at the pole dancing reference he had put in there and by the end of the song she had decided that she was more in love with Chris than ever before.  She's always been a sucker when it came to hearing his sexy voice but now that he was singing about and had written this song about her solidified the fact that she was madly, passionately, and hopelessly in love with this man. 

"Yes." She said as the song ended.  Chris turned to look at her.  "Yes." She nodded as she leaned towards him, pressing her mouth against his.  She combed the fingers of one hand through his dark hair as she kissed him warmly.  "When do we start shooting?"

End Notes:

Song credit:  Giddy Up by N SYNC (duh!) 

read and review and I'll love you forever!  :)

Chapter 23 by azchickadee
"Does this sound like my life right now or what?"

Chris looked over his shoulder at Kristen Saturday morning.  Kristen's attention was focused on the magazine in her hands, talking to herself.  His eyes ran over her--his lips lifting at her casual appearance.  Her hair was pulled back in a sloppy ponytail and couldn't remember ever knowing a woman to look so adorable in a simple white tank top and basketball shorts.

"What?" He asked with a chuckle as he turned and went back to the waffles he was making.  He chuckled to himself, remembering the way Kristen's face had lit up when he had suggested making her favorite breakfast this morning.

"Hmmm?" Kristen hummed, pulling him from his thoughts. 

Chris glanced over his shoulder again.  "What is your like right now?" He asked, looking at her. 

Kristen looked at him in question for a moment then, "Oh!" She exclaimed, realizing what he was asking.  She looked back at her magazine.  She chuckled.  "I was just reading my horoscope in here and it's very..." she paused.  "It kind of scares me how right on these things are sometimes."

"What's it say?" Chris asked as he pulled that last waffle off the iron.  He picked up the plate of waffles and walked over to the table. 

"I don't really put a whole lot of stock in these things." Kristen prefaced before she started reading.  "But this is actually kind of...well...just tell me what you think." She said.

"Okay." Chris replied with a chuckle as he put a couple waffles on his plate and began drizzling syrup over them. 

"Ahem." Kristen cleared her throat then began reading.  "Things aren't exactly the way you want them to be right now." She began.

"There not?" Chris cut in.  "I made you waffles, girl." He said, looking at her with an exaggerated look of hurt on his face.  "I'm letting you stay here in my house, I'm taking care of you.  How are things not the way you want?" He teased her.

"Stop." Kristen laughed.  "I'm not saying this." She reminded him. "It's written in the stars." She told him dramatically.  Chris laughed in spite of himself. 

"You can't argue with the stars." He said, as he speared another bite of waffle then put it in his mouth.  "Keep reading." He told her.

Kristen shook her head with a chuckle as she went back to reading her horoscope.  "Things aren't exactly the way you want them to be right now, but that's okay-in fact, you may get a chance to show off a little!  If you can adapt to circumstances, someone important is sure to approve." She looked at him over the top of the magazine and Chris was hit again with how beautiful she was.  Her brown eyes sparkled excitedly and a happy smile lit her face.  He wanted to just lean over the table and kiss her.

"How is that ‘right on'?" He asked, confused, as she closed the magazine and put it down on the table.

"Well," she said, as she put a waffle on her plate, loaded it with butter and syrup, and took a big bite.  "My ankle is broken, which isn't necessarily something I wanted." She continued, talking with her mouth full.  "Not that I'm complaining or blaming you." Kristen added quickly, taking another bite.  "Because I'm not."  Chris grinned as he watched her.  It was good to know she was comfortable enough around him she was able to be herself--talking with her mouth full and speaking her mind.  It let him know this relationship was the real deal. The relationships he'd been in, in the past had lacked a full measure of trust between himself and the girl.  Beside the relationships he'd been in prior to being thrown into the limelight and becoming a pop idol, the girls he'd been with in the past had only been with him because of who he was, his money, his connections in the music business, and whatever other excuse girls had for being with guys in his position.  "It's just..." Kristen paused, swallowing.  She reached for her glass of milk and took a drink.  "It's kind of put a kink in things, you know?"

"If by ‘kink' you mean the fact that we can't do anything ‘kinky,'" Chris replied.  "Then I know exactly what you mean." He said and Kristen laughed. 

"Believe me," Kristen said leaning over and doing what Chris had been thinking of doing just moments earlier.  Chris eagerly accepted her kiss as she pressed her lips to his, returning it warmly.  "No one is more aware of that than me." She assured him when she pulled back. 

Chris grinned as he kissed her again. "What else?" He asked.

Kristen narrowed her eyes slightly as she looked at him--her brown eyes holding his steadily.  "What else am I aware of?" She asked, a teasing sparkle in her beautiful eyes.  "I'm aware of the fact that you're incredibly sexy and the fact that you made me waffles has never made me want you more."

 Chris chuckled.  "I meant, what else in your horoscope is ‘right on?"" He clarified.  "That other stuff is all a given." He said, with a smirk and a wink as he took another bite. 

~~~~~~~

Kristen laughed.  "Well, you asked me a couple days ago to do that video with you." She grinned--a fluttery excitement going through her at the thought.  She still couldn't believe he had written a song about her, much less wanted her to be the girl in the video!  It was like a dream come true.  Granted it was something she hadn't known she had wanted until he had offered the opportunity to her, but it was still a dream come true. "So I'm going to get to show off in a way I wasn't expecting." She told him.  "And hopefully you'll approve."

Chris grinned.  "Just do that pole dance thing you did downstairs a few weeks ago and we'll be good." He told her.

Kristen chuckled, feeling an embarrassed flush beat her cheeks.  "I can't believe I'm going to do this." She said.

"You don't have to." Chris countered, finishing the waffle on his plate and reaching for another one.

"No, I want to!" Kristen quickly assured him.  "I just..." she laughed incredulously.  "I never thought any of this would ever happen to me." She told him, sitting back in her chair. "Life's never boring, is it?" She asked him. 

"Not with me around." He stated with a grin as he wiggled his eyebrows, making Kristen laugh. 

"That's the truth." She replied.

"Speaking of life never being boring." Chris said, taking a swallow of his orange juice.  "What does life have in store for me?" He asked gesturing to the magazine Kristen had set down earlier. "What's written in the stars for me?"

"Mmmm." Kristen hummed as she swallowed the bite she had taken and sat up-reaching for the magazine.  "What's your sign, baby?" She asked, batting her eyelashes at him in a flirty manner. 

Chris laughed at the old and over-used pick-up line.  "Libra." He told her, taking a bite.

Kristen scanned the horoscopes looking for his.  "Here we go." She said.  She cleared her throat then began reading.  "This is a very strong month for close relationships.  A partner may need some extra attention--"

"You have been pretty needy this week." Chris interjected teasingly, cutting her off. 

Kristen stuck her tongue out at him.  "What do you expect after breaking my ankle?" She replied.

"I think I've spoiled you this week." He mused.

"I'm not complaining." Kristen assured him, smiling at the teasing sparkle she saw in his brown eyes.

"That's the problem." He chuckled.  "This week's almost over." He pointed out, his smile faltering slightly.

"And your point is?" Kristen asked, looking at him with raised eyebrows.  She didn't see any problem with the way things had been this week.  Chris had been the most doting and attentive nurse she'd ever had.  It seemed like all she had to do was think about something and he would show up seconds later with it.  She was getting used to seeing and being with him all day.  She enjoyed spending time with him--not because he was incredibly sexy and had the ability to render her completely senseless in less time than it took for him to drop his pants--but because he was sweet and thoughtful.  He made her laugh and they had a lot in common.  They were lovers, yes, but they were also friends.  He was the one she found herself wanting to talk to when she had a bad day or when something exciting had happened.  He was the one who knew how to make her laugh or could distract her when she was upset.  He appreciated her obsessive love of sports and--though he teased her good naturedly about her choice in teams--didn't make her feel guilty or like she was neglecting him when she watched a game.  Most of the time he was right there with her cheering the teams on.

"I don't think you're spoiling me." Kristen told him.  Her eyes strayed to the horoscope again and she chuckled.  "Besides, listen to this last part." She said.  "Balancing intimacy and friendship is the goal now, and you are likely to succeed." Kristen read the last of his horoscope and closed the magazine.  She smiled triumphantly at him.  "That's what we're doing--balancing intimacy and friendship.  And we're succeeding."  Chris smiled at her but Kristen's smile faded as she noticed his smile didn't reach his eyes.  He looked down at his plate and Kristen's brow furrowed.  "You don't agree?" She questioned, watching him closely--curious over his reaction.  What was going on? Had she done or said something wrong? Kristen quickly scanned back over the whole conversation they'd just had.  They had been discussing their horoscopes and then-

"Are you done?" He asked, interrupting her thoughts. 

"What? Oh, yeah." She nodded.  He stood and reached for her plate.  "Thanks." She said.  He nodded then turned and walked into the kitchen.  "Chris?" She asked.  "Did I--"

"I'm going to be over with Mike at the studio all day." He said.  "Are you going to be okay here alone?"

Kristen looked at him for a moment before answering.  Up until he had said he was spoiling her they had been laughing with and teasing each other over the waffles he had impulsively decided to make this morning.  She was confused.  She didn't understand why his saying he was spoiling her had led to this awkward and silent tension between them.  She noticed his eyes didn't meet hers as he stood by the sink, waiting for her answer.  "Yeah." Kristen nodded.  "I'll be fine."  She said, forcing a smile--hoping to get him to talk about whatever it was that was suddenly bothering her.

No luck. 

With a nod, Chris drained the orange juice that remained in his glass, put the glass in the sink, and then left the room.  Kristen she sat back in her chair.  "What did I do?" She muttered under her breath.  And how the hell do I fix it?

~~~~~~~

Chris' cell phone rang as he walked up the stairs to his bedroom.  He pulled it out of his pocket, eager for the distraction.  He felt guilty about what he had just done to Kristen.  He'd completely shut down and freaked out on Kristen.  She had no idea why and he was struggling to put words to his thoughts and emotions as well.  He knew he should probably turn around and go back into the kitchen to talk to her, but he couldn't.  Not until he understood himself what was going on.  One minute everything had been fine--great even!--the next, everything changed.  He wasn't sure what had triggered it and he didn't know how to explain it. 

He loved Kristen.  He loved that they had had this chance to spend the last week together.  He loved that he had gotten the chance to take care of her.  He loved that she had allowed him to spoil her but in the process he himself had been spoiled.  What he had said downstairs had been the truth: this week was almost over and he wasn't sure what he was going to do when she went back to work and to her own apartment.  Maybe it hadn't been a good idea for her to stay here this week as she began to heal from her surgery.  Maybe he should have just let her mother take her home and then just gone to visit her.  Maybe she just needed to move in with him.

Chris tripped over his feet at that though as he reached the top of the staircase.  He reached out with his free hand for the railing reflexively.  Move in with me? He questioned as he stood rooted in place in shock.  Where the hell did that come from?!

"Hello?" He answered his phone distractedly while a fierce internal battle commenced place between his head and his heart.  Kristen had moved into his heart and into his life quicker than any other woman he'd ever known or dated.  In the space of a few short days she had shown him how empty his huge house really was.  How had he lived here alone all these years and never noticed how lonely it had really been?  Sure, he had people over all the time, and had a reputation for throwing some wild parties, but after the food and alcohol ran out everybody would go, leaving him once more alone with the silence. 

He'd never asked a girl to move in with him before.  He'd never felt the level of trust and commitment before that he felt with Kristen.  He'd never wanted to share his life so completely with another human being.

Why her? 

Why now?

"Chris?" The person on the other end of the line interrupted his thoughts.  "Are you there?"

"Yeah." He said, shaking his head.  He couldn't think about this right now.  He didn't want to think about this right now.  "Sorry." He apologized.

"You okay, man?"

"Yeah." He said.  He pulled the phone away from his ear-glancing at the screen to see who he was talking to.  Justin.  "What's up, J?" He asked as he forced himself to continue into his bedroom.  "Aubrey finally decide she's going to leave you for me?" He teased. 

Justin chuckled.  "From what I hear she's too late." He replied.  "Although, I also hear your taste nowadays seems to run towards married women," he teased.  "So I'm also keeping her as far away from you as possible."

Chris laughed at the younger man's good-natured ribbing.  "That's probably a good idea." He conceded.  The two men joked back and forth for a few minutes, teasing each other in the same manner they had from the moment they'd first met fifteen years ago.  "So why'd you really call me?" Chris asked as he stepped into his bedroom.  He stopped as he passed through the doorway and saw all of Kristen's belongings intermingled with his.  Her clothes were thrown in with his in the dirty clothes hamper, her pillows were next to his on the bed, her toothbrush, toothpaste, and numerous other toiletries sat among his on the bathroom vanity and the funny thing was that none of it seemed out of place to him.  He had lived alone for how many years now?  This had been his room, his domain, for longer than he could remember, yet seeing his girlfriend's things scattered across the room didn't feel awkward or unusual.  It felt normal and familiar to walk in and see her presence and influence around the room.  One would think they actually were living together, instead of her just staying at his house for a week while she was recovering from surgery.  

"I can't call just to say hi?" Justin questioned, sounding hurt.

"Sure you can." Chris said as he walked into his closet.  "But you never do." He chuckled.  "What's up?"

"I'm in." Justin stated as Chris slipped on his favorite pair of Vans and placed a black Ed Hardy hat on his head. 

It took Chris a second to figure out what he was referring to.  "Really?" He asked, sounding more surprised and incredulous than he wanted.  After talking with Justin originally about his and Kristen's idea of getting the guys back together for the basketball game, Chris hadn't held out much hope of the younger man agreeing to do it.  Justin had quickly moved on to doing his own thing again after their reunion tour wrapped up and Chris had assumed--especially after hearing from Justin about him and Aubrey looking into a possible surrogate situation--that Justin wasn't going to do it. 

"Yeah, really." Justin chuckled.  "I talked it over with Aubrey and she basically told me I had to do it, or else."

Chris laughed.  "I knew there was a reason I liked that girl." He replied as he walked out of the closet and sat down on the edge of the bed. 

"Just send me the details as soon as you have them and I'll be there." Justin promised. 

"Thanks, man." Chris said.  "I know how busy you always are and now with the whole baby thing-by the way, how's that going?" He asked.

"Interesting." Justin answered.  "There's, uhm..." he chuckled.  "There's a lot that goes in to making a baby when you're not making it the traditional way, let's just leave it at that." The younger man stated.

Chris laughed.  "You never could do things the traditional way." He observed.  "So it's only fitting that your kid not be conceived normally, right?"

"I guess." Justin replied with a chuckle.  "I just hope it works."

"It will." Chris answered with certainty.  "You've never been involved with anything that wasn't a success in some way."

"There's a first time for everything." Justin mused.  "My luck is bound to run out one of these days."

Chris rolled his eyes, though Justin couldn't see him.  The day your luck runs out is the day the worlds ends.  He thought.  He knew how smart and talented Justin was.  He wouldn't have been able to get as far as he had in the entertainment business on looks alone.  Part of it was luck, yes, and being in the right place at the right time, but it also took a lot of business sense and street smarts to be able to do what Justin had done and achieved in his personal life and career. 

"Anyway." Justin said.  "I told you I'd call after I talked to Aubrey and made a decision."

"Thanks." Chris said again.  They talked for a minute more about inconsequential things then said good-bye.  As Chris ended the call he sat there for a moment staring at the electronic devise, biting his bottom lip.  A nagging voice in the back of his mind had been pushing him to ask Justin about his crazy thoughts earlier about asking Kristen to move in with him but he had pushed the thought away each time it came up. 

What kind of man are you?  The damn question Kristen had asked him months ago returned to taunt him.

He was scared.  That was the plain and honest truth.

He was scared because he knew what the younger man's answer would be and he was scared because he knew what he wanted Justin's answer to be.

With a sigh Chris stood up, walked out of his bedroom and down the stairs.  Grabbing his keys from off the table in the entryway he left without saying good-bye to Kristen.  He knew it was low and cowardly of him to do that but he needed to get out of the house and away for a little while.  He needed to clear his head and organize his thoughts and feelings and he couldn't do that with her around.  He needed a distraction and spending some time in the studio with Mike and the other guys would allow him time to think about and process everything.  When he got home later he would apologize to her and they would talk but until then he needed some space--it felt like the walls were suddenly closing in on him.

What kind of a man are you?

"I'm a coward." He muttered under his breath as he got into his Escalade and slid behind the wheel.  "A complete and utter coward."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen skimmed her hand over the bubbles filling the warm tub of water she was sitting in later that evening.  Her left leg was propped up on the edge of the tub, keeping her cast out of the water, as she sat staring at the wall in front of her.  Chris had left right after breakfast--almost ten hours ago--without even saying good-bye to her and he hadn't been back since.  He hadn't called.  He hadn't texted.  He had said he was going to the studio to work on some songs, but he could be anywhere.

She still had no ideas what she had said to set him off and make him completely shut down on her.  She had spent all day thinking and worrying about it.  She had called Amie--who had told her she was being ridiculous and was spending too much time worrying about something she didn't need to worry about--and her mother-=-who told her the same thing Aimee had--but Kristen was still worried. She had no idea where he was or who he was with and she hated it.  She hated that thoughts of Chris cheating on her had begun to creep in to her mind.  She pushed them away angrily--refusing to entertain them.  He's not Kevin.  She reminded herself.  He's not Kevin.

"He's not Kevin." She repeated out loud, hoping that actually hearing the words spoken would help engrain them in her head and heart.  She hated thinking she couldn't trust Chris--that she obviously didn't trust him as much as she wanted to believe.  If she really and truly trusted him, she wouldn't be sitting here now, questioning his fidelity.

With a sigh she closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the tub, allowing herself to sink a little lower into the lavender scented bubbles, trying to relax--forcing the destructive thoughts away.  This was the reason she had decided to take a bath, despite the fact her leg was in a cast.  She needed to relax and normally this was the way she was able to unwind and de-stress.  Several gallons or warm water, a few capfuls of lavender bubble bath--an ingredient she was surprised to discover Chris had under his bathroom sink, and something she was going to question him about later--and she was quickly on her way to forgetting all about her troubles.  Only this time, her troubles had followed her and refused to leave.  It was hard forgetting her troubles when she was sitting in the tub of the man she was currently worried and stressing out about.

Kristen groaned in frustration and scrubbed her hands over her face.  "I should have just gone with a tub of ice cream and tried to drown myself in chocolate." She muttered under her breath as she shook her head, staring up at the ceiling.

"You could drain that tub and we could fill it with chocolate."

Kristen gasped as Chris' voice interrupted her depressed musings.  Her heart skipped several beats as she looked at him.  Their eyes met as he stood, leaning casually against the doorjamb--his arms folded across his chest.  Kristen lifted one arm out of the water, brushing some stray curls from her face. 

"Hi." She said. 

"Hi." He answered.

They stayed staring at each other for a few moments, the air thick with tension, as Kristen waited for him to say something; anything.  Finally she couldn't stand the silence anymore.  "Chris, I don't know--"

"I owe you an apology." He said cutting her off.  He sighed as he pushed off the wall and walked towards her.  He shoved his hands in his pockets and Kristen tried to sit up as much as she could as he came and stood next to the tub.  She looked up at him, waiting for him to continue, and watched as he sat down-leaning against the wall facing her.  He smiled at her hesitantly.  "I was an ass for leaving this morning without saying good-bye." He admitted.

"A little bit." Kristen agreed with a nod.

Chris looked down at his lap.  "I'm sorry."  He said, lifting his head to look at her again.  "For that.  I'm sorry."

"What did I do?" Kristen asked.  "I..."  she paused, fighting back the sudden tears that threatened to spill over her cheeks.  She cursed her female hormones.  She cleared her throat.  "I've spent all day trying to figure out what I did wrong.  What did I do?  What did I say?"

Chris shook his head.  "It wasn't you."  He assured her.  "You didn't do anything wrong."

"What happened?" She asked.  "We were having breakfast, talking and laughing and then you just...froze.  What happened?"

~~~~~~~~~~

Chris sighed as he sat on the bathroom floor, looking at Kristen.  He watched as he reached up and brushed another errant curl off her forehead then met her eyes--guilt filling him for the way he had treated her today.  The worry, concern, and fear was etched clearly on her face and they were all there because of him. 

"I'm a coward." He muttered under his breath as he hung his head, unable to face her gaze anymore.

"What?" She asked, not hearing him. 

Chris lifted his head and swallowed.  "I said, I'm a coward." He told her.  "I, uhm...I freaked out this morning and I ran because I'm a coward."  She watched him closely.  He could see all the questions she wanted to ask burning in her eyes.  "I'm old." He said.

Kristen looked at him, a look of absolute confusion on her face.  "What the hell does that have to do with anything?" She asked, not understanding the correlation he was trying haphazardly to make.

Chris sighed.  "I'm old.  I'm almost forty." He reminded her. 

"So?" She questioned.  "I'm still not understanding what that has to do with what happened at breakfast." She told him.

"You know that saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks?" He asked her.  Kristen nodded.  "I'm an old dog." He told her then chuckled ruefully.  "In more ways than one." He muttered under his breath.  "There's a new trick I want to try...but I don't know if I can."  Kristen remained silent and he felt frustrated.  This wasn't coming out the way he had planned.  He'd spent all day rehearsing what he was going to say to her and already he'd screwed it all up.  Taking a deep breath, Chris closed his eyes and just let everything out.  "I told you this morning that I've spoiled you this past week, but in reality I'm  the one who's been spoiled."  He opened his eyes and looked at her.  She cocked her head to the side slightly as she watched him closely.  "I have a hard time letting people in." He confessed.  "As a kid I was...I was always the one everyone picked on.  I had to put up walls and I became ‘The Funny Guy,'" he made air quotes with his fingers, "as a way to fit in and try to cover up how embarrassed I was about my family situation and the fact that we had no money and I was always hungry and wore dirty clothes.  When everyone figured out how funny I was everyone suddenly wanted to be my friend, but I..."  He fisted his hands in his lap and clenched his jaw, breathing heavily as he fought his emotions.  Chris swallowed.  "I've been alone for a while." He continued.  "I've been a bachelor for most of my life and I was comfortable with that."

"But?" Kristen questioned quietly as silence stretched between them. 

"But." He said, looking at her.  "I started thinking about this past week, with you being here and I...Kristen, I don't want you to go home tomorrow." He told her.

Her jaw dropped slightly as she looked at him in shock.  "Are you...wait.  Are you..." She stuttered, trying to get her words out.

"I haven't ever done this before." Chris told her, scooting across the floor so he was closer to her head.  "I haven't ever let anyone in as far as you are right now.  Nobody's ever gotten to me the way that you have." He paused for a moment and cocked his head to the side thinking.  "Is that a song?" He asked.  "That sounds like a song."

Kristen let out a quiet laugh that sounded suspiciously like a sob as she reached out a smacked his arm lightly.  "You're getting sidetracked." She scolded. 

"Sorry." He apologized, focusing his attention on her once again.  He could see the tell-tale sheen of tears in her eyes and had to swallow past a lump that had suddenly appeared in his throat.  "I love you." He proclaimed.  "Move in with me."

End Notes:
tag!!
Chapter 24 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
it's short, but I didn't want to leave ya'll (yes, I just said ya'll) with a cliff-hanger for too long!  lol...just a little something to tide you over till the next chapter.  enjoy!! 
Kristen sat in the tub, silently staring at Chris.  She had heard the words he had said--had seen his lips move, forming the words--but she was having a hard time understanding and comprehending what he had said.  Move in with me.  The words echoed in her head as she continued to look at him, his brown eyes holding her captive.  She could see the fear and uncertainty in those incredible eyes of his and she wanted to calm his anxiety but he had left her completely speechless.  The seconds stretched into minutes and Chris finally broke the silence and the spell over them by tearing his eyes from hers. 

"I guess that's my answer." He muttered quietly as he hung his head. 

"Wait." Kristen said, finally finding her voice.  She sat up, as much as she could and reached for him.  He stood and turned as if he hadn't heard her.  "Christopher Allen Kirkpatrick." She said forcefully, attempting to get out of the tub.

He stopped.  "Don't call me that." He said, turning to look at her over his shoulder.  "Only my mother is allowed to call me by my full name."

"Don't walk away from me and I won't ever have a reason to use your full name." She replied.  She tried for a few more seconds to get out of the tub, but with no success.  Her leg was still propped up on the edge of the tub and she was slippery now from all the bubbles.  "Damn it!" She exclaimed, holding her arm out to him.  "Stop standing there and help me." She demanded. 

Chris turned back to her and reached down.  Grabbing her hand he bent down, put her arm around his shoulder then stood--pulling her from the tub.  He set her on her feet then reached for one of the towels hanging on the rack on the wall. 

"Thank you." Kristen said.  She wrapped the towel around herself, tucked the end into the top of the towel then brushed the hair from her face.  "Why are you walking away?" She asked, putting her hands on her hips.  "Why do you always just walk away?"  Chris looked down at his shoes and shoved his hands in his pockets.  Kristen reached out, put her fingers around his chin and pulled his head up.  "Look at me." She said quietly, her forcefulness from earlier fading.  His eyes met hers hesitantly and Kristen released his chin--cupping the side of his face instead.  She lifted her other hand and placed it on his other cheek, framing his face between her hands.  Leaning forward, Kristen pressed her lips against his.  She kissed him warmly, allowing him to put his arms around her--pulling her against his chest.  "You're getting all wet." She remarked with a teasing grin, her lips moving against his. 

Chris chuckled.  "That's supposed to be my line to you." He told her. 

Kristen laughed as she pulled back and slapped his shoulder playfully.  "You are a dirty, dirty man." She replied as she continued laughing. 

Chris grinned.  "I can't help it." He said, leaning down to kiss her again.  "You bring it out in me."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" Kristen asked with a chuckle. 

"It's a good thing." Chris assured her.  "It's a very good thing." He said with a suggestive wiggle of his eye brows. 

Kristen smiled as she wound her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly.  Chris hugged her back, his arms around her waist.  He nuzzled her neck.  They stayed that way for a few quiet moments until Kristen couldn't hold her thoughts inside anymore.  "I don't want to leave either." She told him, hugging him tighter to hold him in place against her.

"But?" He asked, sensing there was more she had to say.

Kristen sighed and reluctantly released him.  Pulling back she looked into his eyes.  "But I don't think now is the right time for this, do you?  Honestly?"

Chris looked down.  He reached up, rubbing the back of his neck with one hand.  "Why?" He asked, looking back up at her. 

"Why isn't it the right time?" Kristen questioned.  He nodded.  "Because I don't trust Kevin." She replied as she turned and hobbled her way out of the bathroom and into his bedroom. 

"What does he have to do with any of this?" Chris asked.

"You saw how he took everything and flipped it all inside out and upside down when it came out we were dating." Kristen told him as she bent down slightly to pick up her pajamas from where she had tossed them on top of her duffle bag that morning.  "Can you imagine what he would do if it came out that we were living together?" She questioned.  She stepped into her favorite pair of basketball shorts and shimmied into them--keeping the towel wrapped around her.  She looked over at Chris.  "I don't trust him."  She continued.  "Until I'm legally done with him, I don't want to do anything else that's going to throw him off the edge." 

Chris sighed and Kristen watched as he sat down on the edge of the bed, hanging his head.  His shoulders slumped in defeat and she wished she could give him the answer he wanted.  She let the towel drop to the floor as she pulled on her white tank top.  Tugging the top down over her hips, she bent down and scooped up the towel from the floor.  Chris remained quiet as she walked over to him.  Kristen laid the towel on the bed next to him then stepped over in front of Chris. 

"Look at me." She said quietly as she reached out, putting her hands on either side of his face.  She tugged his head up, forcing him to look at her.  Kristen looked at him for a moment, her eyes running over his features.  "I love you." She told him, holding his gaze steadily.  "I know how much it took for you to ask me to move in with you and there is nothing I would like to do than to tell you yes--"

"All you have to do is say it." He said, interrupting her.

Kristen sighed.  She ran her hands up and through his hair as she leaned down and kissed him.  Chris put his hands on her hips, tugging her closer.  She pulled back just enough to rest her forehead against his.  "Remember my horoscope this morning?" She asked him.  Chris opened his eyes and Kristen straightened.  "Things aren't going the way I want them to go right now." She reminded him. 

Chris groaned.  "I hate horoscopes." He stated vehemently.  "Don't ever read mine again." He told her.  "Ever."

Kristen chuckled.  "I promise." She said.  "Don't you hate me?" She asked, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth.

"No, of course not." Chris replied, shaking his head. 

"Promise?" She asked.  She let out a surprised squeal as Chris wrapped his arms around her waist and twisted suddenly, laying her down on the bed. 

"I promise." He told her as he lay above her.  He lowered his head and kissed her warmly.  "How much longer until we're done with him?"

Kristen chuckled wryly and shook her head.  "I pray every night that I'll get the call from my lawyer saying this whole thing is over." She replied.  "But the call never comes."  Chris pulled back and Kristen reached up, scrubbing her hands over her face.  "I don't know what else to do!"  She exclaimed.  "I don't know what he wants from me, or why he keeps me hanging on.  I wish he would set me free, but he won't."

"What are you fighting him for?" Chris asked.  "Do you have a big inheritance?  I know there's the house, but...what is it that you guys are really fighting over?"

"I..." Kristen stopped.  Her brow furrowing as she thought about it.  What were they fighting over?  "You know...I don't know." She admitted.  "There's the house, yes, but...other than that...I don't know." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"I just..." Kristen sighed in frustration and Chris rolled off her.  Propping his weight up on one elbow, he put his head in his hand and looked at her as she continued.  "I feel like he's taken so much from me, you know?" She sniffed and Chris saw a sheen of tears cloud her eyes.  "He took my time these last five years, he took my love, he took my trust..." she sniffed again, her voice becoming thick with emotion.  Kristen swiped angrily at the tears that began escaping down her cheeks.  "I don't want him to take anymore from me.  He's taken so much from me already and I just--"

"You're letting him continue to take those things from you." Chris said, reaching out with his free hand.  He gently smudged away her tears with his thumb.  Kristen looked at him in question, her brows furrowing slightly.  "How much time have you spent meeting with him and your lawyers the last six months?" He asked.  "How much money are you spending on lawyer fees?"  He could see the wheels beginning to turn as he questioned her.  "You say you don't want him to take anything else from you but look at what you're giving him.  I don't..." he paused, wanting to get this out right.  "I don't want to tell you what to do, and I know it probably sounds like I'm just trying to get my way to convince you to move in with me but...things just aren't adding up here."

"Damn you and your brilliant mind." Kristen cursed with a small chuckle that turned into a sob.  "Why am I so stupid?" She asked, her tears falling again. 

"You're not stupid." Chris insisted.  "That's not what I was saying--"

"I am." Kristen insisted, cutting him off.  "I am." She nodded.  "Every day I realize more and more how stupid I am.  I'm giving him exactly what he wants.  He wants to take everything from me and I'm just handing it all to him on a silver platter." She sat up suddenly and Chris followed her, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Kristen..." He drawled, regretting the fact he had even brought it up and voiced his opinion.  It was her life.  He knew she was stressed enough as it was and here he was basically throwing salt on her wounds and making everything worse.  Kristen got up and without thinking Chris reached out to stop her.  Putting his hands on her hips he pulled her down onto his lap, wrapping his arms around her waist to keep her in place.  He didn't want her to leave until they finished talking about this.  "I'm sorry." He told her, resting his chin on her shoulder.  "I shouldn't have said anything.  It's not my place to question how you and Kevin are handling this."  She relaxed against him slightly, leaning back against him.  "It's none of my business."

"But it is." She insisted.  "It is your business.  They very fact that I'm sitting here right now with you makes it your business.  I just..." She hung her head and covered her face with her hands.  "I hate that once again it's been point out that I'm an idiot." She chuckled humorlessly.  "How can you handle being with someone who's as stupid as I am?"

"Stop." Chris replied forcefully.  He pushed her off his lap and turned her to face him-his hands gripping her hips.  "You're not stupid." He looked at her pointedly.  She looked down, stubbornly refusing to meet his gaze.  "Are you listening to me?" He asked, shaking her gently.  He hated when she put herself down.  She was so quick to believe the worst about herself.  Why?

Because that's what she's been conditioned to believe by her husband. A voice inside his head answered.

She had had a strong and healthy upbringing.  He had seen firsthand her relationship with her family and, truth be told, he envied her the steady home-life she had had growing up.  The last five years, however, had changed all of that.  Kevin had worked hard to undermine all of that and Kristen had let him.  She had allowed his negative words and actions to influence her self-esteem and now, any slight nudge from him and she was quick to think the worst of herself. 

"Did you hear me?" He asked again.  She nodded slightly.  "Say it." He said.  She remained quiet.  "Repeat what I just said, Kristen." He demanded, his anger rising.  He saw her jaw clench and heard her labored breathing.  He let out a groan of frustration.  "You are the most infuriatingly, stubborn woman I've ever known!" He exclaimed.  He lifted one hand, grabbing her chin and forcing her to look at him.  He gave her a hard kiss then pulled back.  "Repeat what I said."

Kristen looked at him in shock for a moment.  "I'm...stubborn?" She repeated.  Chris narrowed his eyes at her.  She sighed in resignation.  "I'm not stupid." She mumbled. 

"You're not stupid." He repeated.  "That is not what I was getting at by bringing all of this up and asking those questions.  You're being manipulated.  You've been being manipulated, sounds like, from day one with this guy.  I was just trying to make you see that.  I was just trying to show you that you're giving him exactly what he wants.  You're playing his game and as long as you're playing he's not going to want it to end.  Why would he?  As long as you're playing, there's no reason to stop."

Kristen looked at him, tears brimming in her brown eyes again.  He softened his tone and his expression.  "You're better than that." He told her.  "Don't let him manipulate you anymore."  She hiccupped and crumbled against him--resting her head against his chest.  Chris wrapped his arms around her and held her close.  "As long as you keep playing the game he's always going to be there between us, keeping us apart."   

"How do I stop it?" Her question came, her words muffled as she spoke against his chest. 

Chris looked down at her as she lifted her head slightly, peeking up at him hesitantly.  He lifted one hand, brushing the back of his fingers against her cheek.  He leaned down, pressing his lips against hers.  "Stop fighting him." He told her when he pulled back. 

"Let him win?" She asked, looking at him in question. 

"He's winning now." Chris replied.  "Every time you meet with him and your lawyers, he's taking more of your time and your money and your energy.  Every time you meet with him he gains another victory." She pulled back and he put both hands on her face, his thumbs rubbing the tears from her face.  "I don't know what your financial situation is right now, but it can't be good." He remarked.  She shook her head, agreeing with him.  "Is there something sentimental that you really don't want him to have?" He asked.  She thought for a moment then shook her head.  "What would happen if you just stopped?  What would happen if you just called your lawyer and told him you were done and that whatever Kevin wanted he could have?"

"I...I-I...he..." Kristen stammered for a second then stopped.  "I'd be done with him." She said, looking at him as if he had just given her the answer to the meaning behind life and the universe.  She looked down for a moment in thought then back up at him, a cautious hope shining in her eyes.  "Can it really be that easy?" She asked.  Chris shrugged.  Kristen threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly.  "Have I told you recently, how much I love you?" She asked as she kissed him warmly. 

Chris chuckled.  "Don't say that until you talk with your lawyer." He replied.

Kristen shook her head.  "Whatever he says, I still love you." She told him, kissing him again.  "Nothing will ever change that." She promised. 

Chris smiled as their lips met once again, reeling internally at the range of emotions they had both experienced during the last twelve hours.  He was worn out.  All the worry, all the questions, all the uncertainty and fear...Chris bent down slightly, wrapping his arms around her hips, he stood.  Kristen jumped slightly, wrapping her legs around his waist as their lips remained locked.  Chris turned, taking the few steps toward the bed blindly.  His legs met the edge of the mattress and he bent over--Kristen dropping down onto the mattress--finally breaking the seal of their lips.  She struggled for breath as he remained standing, looking down at her.  A small smile played across her lips and he watched as she crossed her arms.  Reaching for the hem of her tank top she pulled the shirt up and over her head leaving her laying there in nothing but those damn basketball shorts she always wore to bed. 

"You gonna keep standing there?" She asked, a mischievous sparkle in her beautiful eyes.  "Or are you gonna show me what you're made of?"

Chris couldn't help the smirk that spread across his face.  "What I'm made of?" He asked, crawling up on the bed and on top of her. 

"Mmm-hmm." Kristen nodded, her hands sliding up his arms, over his shoulders and finally up-her fingers tangling in his dark hair.  He bent his head, his lips hungrily attacking her neck.  She shivered and let out a moan as she arched her back beneath him.

Chris grinned, relishing in the way he was able to affect her so easily.  "So, if I told you Justin called me this morning and told me he was in for this reunion, basketball game..." Chris trailed off as he switched sides and began devouring the other side of her neck.  "What would you say?"

"Are you serious?" Kristen asked, pulling back.  She lowered her hands, placing them against his cheeks, and pulled his head up to look at him.  Chris's smile widened.  He nodded.  "Are you serious?!"  She all but squealed in excitement, her eyes lighting and a smile spreading across her face.  "He said yes?" 

Chris nodded again. 

Kristen giggled in excitement then surprised him as she hooked one leg around his hip and flipped them so she was now on top.  "I would say," she said leaning down to kiss him enthusiastically.  "That you are going to get very," she kissed him again.  "Very." Another kiss.  "Lucky tonight." 

"Mmmm." Chris hummed, his hands sliding up her legs.  "Justin said yes." He told her, just to make sure she knew. 

Kristen laughed.  "Prepare to have your world rocked, pop star."  She told him, kissing him again.  "Prepare to have your world rocked."

End Notes:

leave me a review...let me know what you think

oh, and tag!  you're it :)

Chapter 25 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's been a couple weeks since I last updated.  I've had the idea for this chapter in my head for a while but just haven't had the time until today to sit down and write it out.... 
In celebrity news today, Orlando's own Chris Kirkpatrick is back in the news.  The former member of N SYNC, who until recently has been a relative stranger to the media--keeping his private life just that: private-has become a regular on the gossip lines these past few weeks.  The report came out last month that the woman Chris is currently dating is married.  Chris released a statement following the report clarifying the fact that she's separated from her husband and is in the middle of a divorce. We contacted Ms. Miller's supposedly estranged husband and got an entirely different take on the story leaving us all to wonder who's right and who's wrong.  We did a little more digging into the matter to satisfy our curiosity and discovered that Ms. Miller is indeed in the process of divorcing her husband.  However, the timeline as to when she first met and started dating Chris Kirkpatrick and when she filed for divorce is not clear.  Much like the proverbial, "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" we are left questioning which came first, the dating or the divorce? Whichever it was, Chris and his girlfriend have made plans to move in together, according to our source.  Chris has stepped out of his normal pattern of behavior with this one and we're all curious to see what happens.  Is it possible the founding member of the biggest pop group in music history is following in the footsteps of the other members of the group and settling down?  If things go the way they're looking, N SYNC could be adding one more married member to the group leaving Lance as the only single one.  Time will only tell...

~~~~~~~~~

"Please sign the first and last page and initial that you've read through each of the pages that I've marked."

Kevin Miller looked up from his cell phone a few days later as Kristen's divorce lawyer placed a stack of papers in front of him one afternoon.  "What's all this?" He asked, leaning forward to investigate the documents.  "Where's Kristen?"

"Mrs. Miller has declined to appear at anymore of these meetings.  She has decided to drop all of her previous requests and is granting you sole ownership of any shared property and assets." The older man replied. 

"I don't..."Kevin flipped through the pages he was supposed to sign and initial.  "I don't understand." He finally said, looking up from the document and meeting the eyes of Kristen's lawyer across the table.  "Where's my wife?" He demanded. 

"As I just explained," the man replied.  "Mrs. Miller will not be coming to anymore of these meetings.  She has already signed the documents," he continued.  "As you can see.  Once you sign the divorce will be finalized."  The man pulled a pen from the inside pocket of his suit coat and reached across the table, handing it to Kevin.  "Please sign the first and last page and--"

"I heard you the first time." Kevin retorted in anger, refusing the pen.  His lawyer put a calming hand on his shoulder but Kevin shrugged it off.  What was going on?  What was Kristen up to?  Why was she suddenly giving up and letting him get his way?  This wasn't like her.  She'd been fighting with him over this divorce for the last six months and now she was suddenly just giving up?  No.  Something had happened. 

Or someone.  A voice in the back of his head interjected. 

Kevin's eyes narrowed as he looked down at the paperwork in front of him.  His hand fisted tightly as it lay at on the table beside the documents.  It's that damn washed up boyband member she's screwing.  He thought.  He's talked her into this.  Somehow he's got her brainwashed to believe that he's the one she wants.  She wouldn't have just given up all on her own.  He wants her all for himself and he knows this is how he can take her from me.  Well I'm not going to let him.  He's going to realize he can't always get everything he wants regardless of how much money he has or who he used to be. 

"Mr. Miller?"

Kevin looked up as his wife's divorce lawyer interrupted his thoughts--his chest rising and falling rapidly in anger.  He glared at the man.  "No." Kevin shook his head.

"I'm sorry?" The lawyer asked.

"Kevin?" His lawyer questioned.  Kevin turned his eyes to the man who he had hired to help him win this case.  A lot of good you've done me.  He thought.  Damn if I'm paying you anything after this stunt she's pulled.  He'd hired the man because he had a reputation for being the shrewdest divorce lawyer in Orlando and what had the man done?  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Kristen was walking away.  Even though she was giving everything to him, Kevin wasn't satisfied.  He had wanted to take it all away--to see the defeat and hopelessness in her eyes--not be given it all willingly.  The bitch needed to learn her place.  She needed to know that she's not going to win this thing so easily.

"I'm not signing." Kevin stated firmly as he slid the documents back across the table to Kristen's lawyer.  "Not until I talk to my wife." He said as he stood.

"Kevin." His lawyer began.

"Mr. Miller." Kristen's lawyer responded.  "Mrs. Miller wants to be done with this.  She has already signed and made her intentions to end this marriage clear." He slid the papers back across the table towards him.  "Please, just sign the papers then we can all leave and you're free to go about your day."

"Not until I talk to her." Kevin repeated.  He glanced back and forth between the two lawyers who were looking at each other across the conference table.  "Until I talk to her." Kevin said.  "Until I see her again.  I'm not signing." And with that he turned and stormed out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I miss you." Chris said later that evening, his voice coming over Kristen's cell phone.

She smiled.  "I miss you, too." She acknowledged as she pulled into her apartment complex's parking lot. 

"No really." He replied.  "I miss you."

"It's only been nine hours." She reminded him with a quiet chuckle.  He "humphed" and Kristen could almost see the pout on his handsome face. 

"Remind me why you're sleeping at your apartment tonight instead of here with me." He requested. 

"Because you need to focus on finishing that CD." She reminded him.  "And I'm distracting you by being at your house." Kristen told him as she pulled into her designated parking spot and put her Jeep into park. 

"I'll make you waffles in the morning." He offered, as if he hadn't heard her.  Kristen laughed. 

"The sooner you get that CD done, the sooner I'll come back." She countered.  They had talked about this this morning.  He had done hardly any work with Mike on the CD they were trying to release because he'd been focused on helping her recover from her broken ankle and subsequent surgery this past week.  While Kristen loved being with him twenty-four hours a day, she felt guilty about taking him away from his work so she had made him a deal: as soon as he finished the CD she would move in with him.  Until then, she was going to spend the majority of nights at her apartment like she had before her surgery.  Though she wondered who was going to be suffering more from this new arrangement, him or her. 

"I'll do whatever you want me to do to you." Chris continued, drawing her from her thoughts.  "You know I know how you like it." He stated, his voice low and sexy. A shiver ran down her spine at the instant mental image his statement evoked.  His masterful and skillful hands and mouth running over her body, the seductive look in his dark eyes as he loved her...

"Damn you." Kristen groaned, closing her eyes and putting her head back against the driver's seat.  "No." She stated firmly.  "I'm not giving in to you this time."

"You're not?" He questioned. 

"No." She repeated, trying to convince both herself and him.  She finally turned off the Jeep, grabbed her purse and opened her door.

"I need you, Vanilla." He whined.  "You're going to just leave me here to my own devises tonight?"

Kristen chuckled as she got out of her car and shut the door, locking it.  "You had me this morning, Kirkpatrick." She reminded him.  "You can last a day or two." She assured him as she hobbled towards the sidewalk--she was still getting used to the walking boot the doctor had given her yesterday.  She crunched through the gravel and up onto the cement as she walked towards the stairs that would take her to her apartment.  She heard a rustle behind her but paid no attention to it as she put her foot up onto the first stair and grabbed for the railing with her free hand-thinking it was one of the many cats that roamed around the complex, sneaking around in the bushes.  "Why don't you--"

Her words were suddenly cut off and Kristen left out a muffled scream as someone put a hand over her mouth and grabbed her from behind-roughly pulling her back against them.  Her heart began racing and she squirmed, trying to get out of the arms holding her, pulling her backwards.  "Let me go!" She yelled, but her response wasn't heard due to the strong hand still clamped over her mouth.  She struggled, but the arms holding her only gripped tighter. 

"Stop squirming." Her captor demanded harshly.  Kristen bit down on the hand covering her mouth--eliciting several harsh curses from her abductor.  He turned her around forcefully and backhanded her across the face.  Kristen saw stars as the hit caught her off guard.  She stumbled slightly and blinked a few times against the tears that formed in response to the pain.  She lifted a hand to her throbbing cheek.  "Are you going to shut up, or do I need to hit you again?"

Kristen lifted her eyes, but the shadows from the trees and buildings surrounding her masked his face.  She opened her mouth to scream--hoping to alert someone to her plight--but her assailant guess at her actions and hit her again before the noise could escape her.  Again Kristen stumbled backwards.  He attacker followed, taking a step towards her and hit her again.  Before the blackness that was threatening overtook her, Kristen thought she head Chris's voice coming faintly over the phone lines. 

"Kristen?  Kristen!"

~~~~~~~~~

"Kristen?  Kristen!" Chris yelled into the phone.  "Kristen, answer me!  What's going on?"  Chris's heart raced as he listened to the sounds coming through the phone--trying to figure out what was going on.  One minute she had been talking to him and the next it sounded like she was in the middle of a fist fight.  She refused to answer, or maybe couldn't, and Chris got to his feet.  He kept the phone pressed against his ear as he grabbed his wallet and keys and hurried towards the garage door.  "Kristen, baby, if you can hear me, I'm coming.  Hold on.  I'm coming."  The noise on the other end of the phone quieted as he got into his Escalade.  He paused, his hand halfway to putting the keys into the ignition as a low, gruff voice came over the line. 

"She's mine."  The voice hissed.  "She's mine."

The line went dead--the call disconnected.  Chris sat in stunned silence for a moment than jumped into action.  Throwing the car into reverse he screeched down the driveway.  The tires squealed as he reached the street and shifted into drive-his heart racing.  "Hang on, Vanilla." He told her, knowing that she couldn't hear him but hoping that God would convey his message to her.  "Just hang on." Chris lifted his cell phone that he still held in his right hand and dialed 9-1-1. 

"911, what is the nature of your emergency?" The operator answered. 

"I need to report a kidnapping in process."

End Notes:

don't hit me!  don't hate me!  I didn't plan this!  I'm just doing what the voices in my head tell me to do!! 

Chapter 26 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
it's a long one....hopefully that will make up for the cliff-hanger ending on the last chapter and the time it took me to get this one written :)
"911, what is the nature of your emergency?" The emergency operator's voice came over the line. 

"I need to report a kidnapping in process." Chris said, an overwhelming sense of panic enveloping him as he drove across town towards Kristen's apartment. He gripped the cell phone to his ear as he looked over his shoulder and changed lanes, passing a blue minivan that was driving way too slow.  Didn't they understand what kind of a rush he was in?

"A kidnapping in process?" The operator questioned. 

"Yes." Chris replied as he continued to weave in and out of traffic.

"Who is the victim, sir?"

"My girlfriend!" He exclaimed, becoming frustrated.

"And how are you aware of the attempted kidnapping?" The operator asked, while the sound of someone typing came over the line.

"I was on the phone with her!" Chris replied hotly, not liking the fact that it sounded like this person didn't believe him. "I'm not drunk."  He added for emphasis.

"I didn't--" The operator began but Chris cut her off.

"My girlfriend and I were talking on the phone." He explained, his chest tightening as he relived the last few minutes of the conversation he had had with Kristen.  "She, uh...she let out a muffled scream," he related, his breathing becoming quick and shallow.  He swallowed and fought past the lump forming in his throat.  "It sounded like she was fighting with someone then a deep voice came on the phone and said, ‘She's mine' and then the call was disconnected."  Chris paused, trying to gain control of his emotions.  He shouldn't have let her leave.  If he had fought harder to have her stay with him she wouldn't now be in the hands of a madman.  Chris put the brakes on as he came to a red light.  Anger and fear bubbled up inside of him.  "Damn it, I should have made her stay!" He exclaimed as he hit the steering wheel with his free hand.

"Sir?" The operator asked in question to his outburst.

Chris growled in frustration as the light he was sitting had seemed to have no intention whatsoever of changing to green.  He looked left and right.  No traffic was coming.  Why the hell won't this light change? No one is coming! 

"Sir?"  The emergency operator asked again.  "Sir, are you still there."

"Look," Chris said angrily as he made a snap decision--gunning his Escalade through the empty intersection.  "Send the SWAT team to the Oak Ridge apartments." He demanded as the familiar sound of a police siren suddenly caught his attention.

"Sir, the SWAT team doesn't--"

"Just do it." He said then disconnected the call as he looked in his rearview mirror at the red and blue flashing lights behind him.  Where the cop had come from, he had no idea, but Chris wasn't going to question it.  He knew he was being followed because of driving through that red light, but he wasn't stopping until he got to Kristen's apartment.  He stepped on the gas a little more and the Escalade's speed increased.  If that stupid 9-1-1 operator wasn't going to send anyone over to help him then Chris knew this one cop was his only hope.  "Follow me." He muttered under his breath as he began to once more weave in and out of traffic.  "Let's see if you can keep up."

~~~~~~~

By the time he made it to Kristen's apartment complex, the one cop that had begun following him after he had run the red light had turned into three.  He knew he was going to be in a shitload of trouble when he finally did stop, but he also knew that once they realized what was really going on, the police would turn their attention from him and focus it on where it really needed to be: on Kristen's abductor. 

Chris pulled into the apartment complex's parking lot and screeched to halt behind Kristen's Jeep--the cops right behind him.  Leaving the Escalade running, Chris opened his door and jumped out, running over to the car.  He heard the ordered command from the police for him to stop but he ignored it.  He looked inside the Jeep, but she wasn't there.  His heart racing he ran toward the stairs though he knew it was futile.  He knew she wasn't here.

Chris suddenly found himself shoved up against the side of the building, however, before he ever had the chance to make it up the stairs.  "You don't understand!" He exclaimed, fighting against the police officers who held him.  "You don't understand!  My girlfriend..." he continued to struggle as they pulled his arms back behind him.  "My girlfriend has been kidnapped!  I have to find her.  You have to help me find her!"  He continued as they zip tied his hands behind his back and pulled him away from the wall.  "Please," he pled.  "You--"

"You're under arrest." The officer holding him said as he led Chris toward one of the patrol cars.  A crowd had gathered to see what was going on and Chris thought he heard a helicopter.  He looked up, but the office forced his head back down.  "Reckless driving, criminal speeding, resisting arrest, driving under the influence--"

"I'm not drunk." Chris insisted as he was forced into the back of a patrol car. 

"Yeah, and I'm the Queen of England." The officer said as he looked down at Chris. 

"You don't understand!" Chris replied, trying to reason with the man.  "I--"

The officer slammed the door in his face, cutting off him off.  Chris let out a growl and then a yell of frustration and began throwing a fit--as much of a fit as he could throw in the backseat of a police car with his hands tied behind his back.  He looked out the window at the other apartment complex residents who were standing around watching the drama in interest.  Once of them had to have seen what had happened to Kristen.  If he could only get out and go talk to them he knew he would be able to show the police that he wasn't the bad guy.  Chris twisted in the backseat, putting his back to the door and tried to feel around for the door handle.  He grabbed it and tried to open the door but it wasn't budging.  He had to get out of this car!  He had to find Kristen!  He leaned back against the door, hoping that by adding some weight to it he would be able to get it to open.  It still wouldn't open.  No matter how hard or how many times he pushed against it, the door remained still. 

Finally, he gave up.

Collapsing back against the seat Chris felt the fight drain out of him.  There was nothing he could do.  He was stuck.  Of course he couldn't get out of the police car.  They designed these things to hold aggressive prisons and keep them from getting out.  Closing his eyes, Chris hung his head.  "I should have made her stay." He lamented as tears start to burn in his eyes.  "I should have made her stay."

~~~~~~~~

The phone call had come at just after midnight.  The voice on the other end of the line was familiar but the situation was so foreign that at first he hadn't believed what was being said. 

"This is a joke, right?" He asked, chuckling.  "How much have you had to drink tonight, man?"

"Why does everyone think I'm drunk?" Came the angry and frustrated reply on the other end of the line followed by a heavy sigh.  "Can you come get me, or not?  I can pay you back.  You know I'm good for it."

Joey's brows had furrowed as the reality of Chris' situation finally sank it.  "Yeah." He answered as he rolled out of bed.  "I'm coming."

Giving a kiss and a quick explanation to Kelly as to where he was going in the middle of the night, and grabbing his keys, Joey Fatone left his house, got into his car and drove across town to go bail one of his best friends out of jail.  When he arrived at the police station he checked in with the front desk, paid the required amount for Chris' release, and was then led back into the holding area.  He still couldn't believe this was real.  Even in their heyday when they had been partying and living up the unbelievable fame and fortune that had come their way, none of the boys of N SYNC had even done anything to warrant being arrested. Ten years later, Joey never would have suspected he would one day be standing here--looking at one of the men that he considered almost a brother behind bars.  Chris sat on a small bench that jutted out from the wall.  His arms were resting on his thighs and his head was bent. 

"Kirkpatrick." The detention officer called his name as he opened the holding cell.  Chris looked up, his eyes meeting Joey's for a brief second before darting away in humiliation.  "You're free to go."  Joey watched as Chris stood and walked toward the opening of the cell.  Joey smiled, hoping to lend the other man some support and comfort but Chris refused to look at him.  "Your wallet and keys are up at the front desk." The officer told them as he closed and locked the cell door behind Chris. 

"What about my car?" Chris asked.

"You can pick it up from impound in the morning." The officer informed them.  Chris sighed and nodded in acceptance. 

Joey put a hand up on Chris' shoulder, squeezing slightly.  "Come on." He said.  "I'll take you home."

~~~~~~

Chris followed Joey out of the police station and out into the parking lot.  Both men remained silent as they got into Joey's car and began driving across town.  Chris sat, staring out his window as Joey drove.  The silence stretched between them until finally, Joey cleared his throat.

"What happened?" Joey asked.  Chris remained staring out the window, watching the cars they passed.  "This..." Joey paused.  "This isn't like you, man.  What's going on?"

Chris turned to look at his friend who's eyes bounced back and forth between him and the road.  "Kristen's gone." He finally said, saying the words he'd been fighting back all night. 

"Did you guys break up?" Joey asked, sounding surprised.

"No." Chris shook his head.  He sighed.  "She was taken."

"Taken?" Joey asked, his eyes lingering on Chris.  Chris pointed out the windshield, reminding his friend that he was still driving.  Joey went back to watching the road.  "What do you mean she was taken?"

Chris relayed what had happened a few hours earlier.  "...which led to me being arrested and calling you." He finished. 

"Dude, you..." Joey shook his head as he searched for the words to say. 

"I know." Chris nodded.

"We need to go back to the police station and report this!" Joey exclaimed, slowing down the car.

"Won't do any good." Chris insisted with a shake of his head.  "They all think I'm crazy.  I told them that was why I was speeding.  I told them what happened a hundred times but they all just thought I was a drunk, raving, lunatic!" Chris threw his hands up in frustration.  "I've never felt so helpless in my entire life, Joe!  I just..." He jammed his fingers through his hair and huffed in frustration.  He turned to look at out the window.  "She's out there, Joe.  Someone has her and I don't know where she is or what to do."

~~~~~~~~

Kristen struggled to open her eyes.  Her head was a foggy, hazy cloud and her entire body felt like it was weighted down.  As she slowly climbed out of unconsciousness, her memory began to return. 

The arms grabbing her from behind.

The harsh slap across her face.

The crazed and evil look in his blue eyes.

The final blow that rendered her vulnerable to him.

Kristen's heart sped up and her breath hitched in her throat as she finally opened her eyes.  The room was dark, but she instantly recognized where she was as she looked around.  She had decorated this room.  She had hung those curtains.  She had slept in this bed for three years.

Kevin had brought her home.  But why?  Why had he attacked her?  Why had he hit her?  He had never hit her before.  Though he had turned out to be a cheating, low-life, scum bag he had never once raised his hand to her.  She slowly brought her hand up to her cheek, wincing slightly.  She knew she must have one hell of a black eye thanks to Kevin's recent bought of insanity.  What had she done to provoke the assault?  And why the hell had he brought her home? 

Moving slowly, Kristen rolled up and sat on the edge of the bed.  Reaching for the phone sitting on the nightstand she turned on the wireless headset and placed it against her ear--a sense of anxiety filling the pit of her stomach when she realized there was no dial tone.  She replaced the headset and futily patted her pockets, searching for the cell phone she knew wasn't there. Scrubbing her hands over her face, Kristen fought against the panic welling up inside of her as she tried to think of what to do; how to get out of this situation.  Don't panic.  She told herself.  You need to think.  Think, Kristen.  Don't panic.   She stood and walked around the bed and toward the door.  She stopped, however, as the door opened and Kevin appeared. 

"Oh good." He smiled brightly, opening the door wider and stepping fully into the room.  "You're awake."

"Have you completely lost your mind?!" Kristen asked him.

Kevin stopped and stared at her.  "I don't--"

"What the hell is your problem?!" Kristen exclaimed, her earlier panic completely giving way to full blown anger.  "Where the hell do you get off attacking me in the parking lot outside my apartment and bringing me back here?" She asked, stepping towards him. 

"Kristen, sweetheart--"

"Don't ‘sweetheart' me!"  She yelled.  "I am not your ‘sweetheart' anymore.  I never was your ‘sweetheart.'"

"That's not true." Kevin replied.  "I--"

"It is true, Kevin." Kristen nodded, cutting him off as she took another step towards him.  "It is true.  You want to know why?  Because if I had ever been your ‘sweetheart' you never would have done what you did to me." She told him.  "You never would have slept with every damn woman on the planet--including one of my closest friends!  What made it okay in your head to do that?"  She asked, her words coming faster and faster as her anger grew.  "I don't understand how you are able to act like you've done nothing wrong.  What happened to all those promises you made me?  Promises made in front of God."  She reminded him.  "You're mother is rolling over in her grave knowing what you've done and what kind of hell you've confined yourself to.  I just don't understand how--"

Kristen's rant was cut off as Kevin stepped toward her, closing the space between them as he roughly grabbed her upper arms. 

"Don't." He hissed, his blue eyes hardening. 

"What?" Kristen asked with a laugh.  "Are you afraid of what mommy would say if she were here?  Does the thought of her knowing what you've done scare you?  You don't scare me.  I--"

Her head snapped to the side as Kevin backhanded her like he'd done earlier outside her apartment.  Her face throbbed--pain radiating from the abused flesh--and tears stung her eyes but she refused to cry in front of him.  She gritted her teeth as she pulled her shoulders back as much as she could and slowly turned back to face him.  "Cheating on me not doing it for you anymore?" She asked.  "You've moved on to hitting me now?"

"You asked for it." Kevin informed her.  "You never did know when to stop that mouth of yours.  I warned you a long time ago that it was one going to get you into trouble.  That day has come." 

"You're a bastard." Kristen spat.  "And I hope you rot in hell.  You are a weak, spineless, manipulative, power-hungry, ego-maniac who needs to be locked away in a padded cell!  You're delisional and completely psychotic--"

She was cut off as he hit her again.  Kristen blinked and shook her head, her stomach rolling--the pain making her want to throw up.  She fought against the black spots beginning to blur her vision.  She wasn't going to faint again.  She had no idea what he would do to her if she was unconscious again.  "You have no right to hold me here against my will." She told him, struggling to free herself from his grasp. 

"You're my wife." He replied, his grip on her tightening.  "Legally, I can do whatever the hell I want to you." He informed her.  Kristen's stomach turned at the look in his eyes.  The fear was starting to overshadow her anger again and her breathing picked up speed as she began to realize how precarious her situation really was.  Kevin wasn't a big guy, but he was strong.  He was a lot stronger than she was and Kristen knew he could kill her if he wanted to. 

"Why won't you let me go?" She asked, voicing the question that she had been asking since this whole thing started.  "Just sign the damn papers and we can both get on with our lives!  I'm giving you everything." She told him.  "Let me go."  She pled.  She hated that she was reduced to begging this man for anything, but if it would get her out of this situation she would do it.  She would beg. 

"Kristen, Kristen, Kristen." Kevin tisked, shaking his head as if he were talking to an unruly child.  "You just don't get it, do you?  It's not over until I say it's over." He told her.  "I don't want you to give me everything."

"Then what do you--"

"I want to take everything from you." He continued, talking over her. 

Kristen's brows furrowed as she looked at him.  He really was crazy.  He had completely lost his mind.  She was trapped inside this house with a man who had gone completely off his rocker and no way to call for help.  Her heart began to race and she swallowed--trying to come up with some way to get out of this mess.  If she could find her cell phone she could call Chris and he would come.  She knew he would. 

"This popstar that you're screwing has messed around with your head, my dear." Kevin continued in a condescending tone.  "Why do you want me to let you go, when I'm the only one who's willing to overlook all your faults?  Do you honestly think that other guy is going to marry you?" He laughed.  "He could have any woman on the planet!  Why would he settle for you?"

"You tell me?" Kristen countered.  "You've had every woman on the planet."  Kevin's eyes narrowed dangerously.  "Why did you marry me?  Because I was naïve?  Because I was the cover you needed to look like a decent guy when in reality you're a man-whore who can't keep his dick in his pants for more than ten seconds.  You need some serious help, Kevin."  She continued.  "This isn't normal behavior.  It isn't normal to constantly be sleeping with a different woman every night."

"You don't think your new boy-toy hasn't?" Kevin replied.  "When he was living the life of a rockstar, you don't think he had a different woman in his bed every night?" 

Kristen shook his head.  "No." She told him.  "I don't think that."

"Because you are naïve." Kevin stated.  "You're naïve if you think you are anything special to him.  I love you." He insisted, pulling her closer.  Kristen turned her head away from him and tried to pull back as much as she could. 

"You certainly have a funny way of showing it." She told him.  She finally succeeded in putting her hands on his chest between them.  She pushed away from him with all her strength and finally succeeded in breaking his grip on her arms.  Her skin burned from the friction of his hands being pulled away and she looked down-not surprised to see bruises beginning to form beneath the reddened skin.  "Look, the bottom line is:  I don't love you anymore, Kevin." She stated firmly.  "I don't love you and I don't want to be married to you anymore."  He stepped towards her and she backed away.  He continued to advance and she continued to retreat, moving back around the bed. 

"I'm not letting you go." Kevin informed her.  Kristen put her hands behind her, trying to feel for the wall.  She didn't want to be trapped with nowhere to go.  "You're mine." He told her, a look of determination in his eyes and Kristen knew, if she didn't get out of the house he was going to kill her. 

Kevin continued backing her toward the wall and she stumbled slightly as she ran into the nightstand.  Her hand bumped against the lamp and she grabbed it tightly, praying for strength.  Swinging her arm around as forcefully as she could, she hit Kevin in the head with the lamp.  He stopped, looking at her dazed--surprised registering in his blue eyes for a brief second before being replaced once more with the malicious glint that had been there for the last thirty minutes.  Kristen hit him again before he could stop her and he stumbled back, away from her. 

"How does it feel?" She asked, moving forward and raising the lamp in threat again.  "To be hit?" She brought the lamp down on him again.  She'd never been more thankful for the heavy, metal lamp that Kevin had insisted on buying when they'd first gotten married and moved in to the house. 

"You're going to pay for this, bitch." Kevin spat as he fell to his knees. 

Kristen bent down so she was looking in his eyes.  "I don't think so." She told him.  She hit him once more and watched with a sick sense of satisfaction as he fell completely to the floor--unconscious.  She stood there for a moment, the lamp slipping from her hands as the adrenaline began to die down.  Her hands began shaking and she jumped in surprise as a dog suddenly began barking outside.  That jolt was all she needed to get her body moving.  She hurried from the room--stepping over Kevin's still form--wrenched open the bedroom door and literally ran down the stairs.  She ended up in the kitchen, searching for her cell phone.  "Where is it?" She asked, her voice rising in panic.  Her breathing was reaching the point of hyperventilating as she continued to search, finding nothing.  She tried the kitchen phone-same as the bedroom: no dial tone.  Finally, she walked into the family room, keeping an ear trained the whole time for if Kevin woke up.  She spotted Kevin's Blackberry sitting on the coffee table and sent up a quick prayer of gratitude.  Picking it up, she dialed the first number that came to mind.

"Hello?" His hesitant voice came over the line--obviously confused about the strange number calling him. 

The tears she had been holding back since she'd awoken began falling.  "Chris." She sobbed, unable to get out anything else.

"Kristen?" He asked, instantly alert.  "Kristen, baby, is that you?  Where are you?  What's going on?"  She collapsed on the couch as she continued crying, clinging to the phone that was her only connection to him at the moment.  "I'm coming to get you." He said.  "Where are you?" 

Somehow she managed to tell him the address of the house and he assured her he was in the car and would be there in minutes.  "Call the cops." She told him.

"You might want to do that." He told her with a laugh that sounded more like a sob.  Kristen's tears increased at the evidence of his emotion.  "They kind of think I'm crazy.  I'll explain later." He assured her. 

"Okay." She replied, her tears calming slightly.  She gasped in panic as she heard a noise coming from upstairs.  "Hurry."  She plead.

"I am." He reassured.  "Call the police.  I'm almost there.  I promise."

Kristen begrudgingly ended the call and did as he requested.  She called 9-1-1, the operator assuring her that help was on the way then she waited what felt like an eternity for someone to arrive.  Her heart was pounding and her breathing rapid and shallow as she sat on the couch, her eyes closed, praying for Chris to show up before Kevin woke up.  She didn't know if she had the strength to fight him again.  She jumped and let out a scream when someone began pounding on her front door. 

"Kristen?" She heard Chris' muffled voice yell through the door and she scrambled off the couch and all but ran towards the front door.  She fumbled with the lock-her shaking hands preventing her from opening it as quickly as she wanted to-and threw herself into his arms when she finally succeeded.  She cried against him, her body shaking with the almost painful sobs that consumed her, and he held her tightly.

"Oh thank God, thank God, thank God." He kept repeating over and over again as they stood there in the doorway, neither one moving.  "I love you." He told her.  "You're safe.  I'm here.  I'm here." He soothed, his hands running over the back of her head before tightening his arms around her in a death-like squeeze.  Kristen could hardly breathe as Chris held her in his strong arms but she didn't care.  All that mattered was that he was there.  He had come to save her.  She didn't hear the police sirens as they approached and didn't realize law enforcement had arrived to take care of Kevin until they came up to her and Chris.

"Ma'am?" One of the officers cleared his throat, finally drawing Kristen's attention to the fact that she and Chris were no longer alone.  She looked up at him.  "We got a report of an intruder?" He asked. 

Kristen stepped out of Chris' arms and moved aside.  "Upstairs in the master bedroom." She pointed.  The officer nodded and waved at the others behind him.  Kristen watched as they hurried up the stairs, guns drawn, and made their way into the bedroom.  Chris put the fingers of one hand beneath her chin and turned her face back toward his.  His brown eyes ran over her face, taking in the bruise she was sure covered most of it and he frowned--his lips pulling downward and a crease appearing between his eyebrows.  He lifted his hand and gently placed it against her tender and sensitive skin.  Kristen winced slightly but put her hand over his, holding it in place against her.  "It will heal.  I'm okay." She assured him.  "I'm okay." 

Chris said nothing, just put his arms around her again and pulled her against him.  "I thought I lost you." He admitted, his voice quiet and shaky.  "I didn't know..." he had to stop and Kristen's tears began falling again.  She tightened her arms around him.  "I didn't know what I was going to do without you." He confessed.  She looked up at him and he kissed her--the desperation he had been feeling pouring into her with every move of his lips against hers.  The desperation and pain gave way to a deep passion as they both clung to each other. 

Once again they were interrupted by the police as they came clunking down the stairs, Kevin secured between them with his hands behind his back.  He turned as if to speak to her as he passed by but the officer closest to him put his hand on Kevin's head and forced it back down so he was looking at the floor.  Kristen felt Chris tighten his arms around her and turn them slightly in a protective stance so that he was between her and Kevin. 

"I want to go home." Kristen said as the police and their prisoner left the house. 

Chris shook his head. "I don't want you staying at your apartment by yourself tonight--"

"No." Kristen said, cutting him off.  "I want to go home."  She repeated.  "With you.  Take me home?" She asked. 

Chris looked at her for a moment, his brown eyes registering his shock and disbelief.  "You...are you... for good?"  He questioned and Kristen could see he was battling not to get his hopes up.  "Or just for tonight?"

"For good." She replied.  Chris let out a heavy sigh of relief and once more gathered her in his arms.  Kristen laid her head against his chest.  "For good."

End Notes:

uhm so, I believe that's THREE now....you owe me...lol...TAG! 

Read and review and tell me what you think! :)

Chapter 27 by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
it's a long one :)  I had some trouble writing this one, but it finally all came together thanks to my bff, "Rachel".  Hopefully y'all like it and please, don't laugh too hard if my basketball references and terms aren't 100% right...lol.... 
Three months later...

"Thank you." Kristen said as she tilted her head to the side, sandwiching her phone between her ear and shoulder.  "Yes, I just got the fax." She continued as she grabbed a stack of papers from her fax machine at work.  She flipped through the pages, a combined sense of relief and freedom flowing through her.  She scanned over the words printed on the paper.  "I really appreciate everything you've done for me these last three months, Mr. Jacobson."

"You're welcome, Kristen." The man replied as Kristen put the papers in her hand into a manila folder she grabbed from one of her desk drawers.  "I know you've been waiting a long time for this."

"Yes." Kristen agreed.  She twisted her wrist, looking at her watch.  "Damn!" She swore under her breath when she saw the time.  She was late!  But what else is new?  She mused with a roll of her eyes.  Grabbing her purse and clutching the file folder to her chest, Kristen turned and left her office.  "Thank you, again." She said, not meaning to be rude.  "I'm sorry.  I really have to go." She apologized.

"I understand.  Give me a call if you have any questions about any of those documents." Mr. Jacobson said with a chuckle. 

"I will." Kristen said.  She ended the call as she hurried down the hall and out towards the front doors of the hospital.  She looked at the time again on her cell phone and let out another curse.  She hadn't planned on being at the office so long.  The ten minutes she had promised Amie had turned into forty-five and Kristen knew the other girl was probably freaking out right now and was going to completely chew her out when she finally showed up. Kristen blew out a harried breath as she got in to her Jeep, pulled out of her parking space, and began driving across town.  As she glanced over her shoulder to change lanes, her eyes caught sight of the manila folder she'd filled earlier and a smile lifted the corners of her mouth.  This was the fax she had been waiting for, for almost a year.  A part of her couldn't believe it was finally over and she was bringing the papers along as evidence because she knew Chris wasn't going to believe it either. 

A familiar and favorite song began playing on the radio, making Kristen's smile widen.  "Yes!"  She exclaimed, reaching over to turn up the radio.  "This day just keeps getting better and better!"

This time I wonder what it feels like
To find the one in this life
The one we all dream of
But dreams just aren't enough
So I´ll be waiting for the real thing.
I'll know it by the feeling.
The moment when we´re meeting
Will play out like a scene straight off the silver screen.
So I`ll be holdin' my own breath
Right up to the end
Until that moment when
I find the one that I'll spend forever with.

Kristen turned the radio up even more then gripped the steering wheel with both hands as she took a deep breath and began singing along with Chad Kroger at the top of her lungs.

`Cause nobody wants to be the last one there.
'Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares.
Someone to love with my life in their hands.
There`s gotta be somebody for me like that.

`Cause nobody wants to do it on their own
And everyone wants to know they´re not alone.
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere.
There`s gotta be somebody for me out there.

She stopped singing along as the lyrics of the song suddenly got to her.  She'd heard and sung along with this song more times than she could count but she couldn't remember it hitting her like it was right now.  Her mind flashed back over the last year of her life--cataloguing everything that had happened.  There had been a time, not so long ago, when she had wondered if she would ever be able to find someone who could truly and completely love her.  Someone who would cherish all of the little things that made her who she was.  Someone whom she could trust.  Someone who would make her happy; make her laugh; make her smile.  Kristen pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she thought about the man who did all of that-the man who had given her his heart.  Kevin had shattered her sense of self and confidence but Chris had given it back to her.  If she hadn't have run into him that day in the parking lot....she didn't know where she would be right now.

You can´t give up!
Lookin´ for that diamond in the rough
You never know but when it shows up
Make sure you´re holdin` on
‘Cause it could be the one, the one you´re waiting on

‘Cause nobody wants to be the last one there.
And everyone wants to feel like someone cares.
Someone to love with my life in their hands.
There has gotta be somebody for me
Ohhhhhh.


Nobody wants to do it on their own
And everyone wants to know they´re not alone.
Is there somebody else that feels the same somewhere?
There`s gotta be somebody for me out there.

Nobody wants to be the last one there
'Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares.
Is there somebody else that feels the same somewhere?
There has gotta be somebody for me out there.
 

The last three months had been incredible.  After that horrible night at the house with Kevin, Kristen had moved in with Chris and nothing had been the same since. The move had made gossip column headlines for weeks afterwards--especially once everyone got wind of Kristen's abduction and imprisonment by, fight with, and the subsequent arrest of her husband.  The publicity was a double edged sword: their privacy was gone for a while as everyone wanted to get their side of the story and were constantly hounding them for the latest development of the ongoing drama, but it also gave them the exposure they needed for their combined charity event. 

The fans had found out that N SYNC was getting back together for their once annual Challenge for the Children basketball game and things had exploded.  Tickets had sold quickly and vendors had readily stepped in to offer their services once they got wind of the event.  Everyone remembered when the guys had done these games before and, thanks to all the contacts that each of the guys had, Chris and Kristen had been able to put together the "kickass" event they had originally talked about when they first started dating.  Both the Children's Hospital and Chris' foundation were receiving sizable donation checks--to be presented later today as part of the ending ceremony--and Kristen couldn't be more excited about the success of this venture. 

Once he had seen the competent and professional way Kristen had been able to pull everything together in so short a time, Michael had offered her a raise and a promotion and Chris had asked again if she wanted to be in charge of marketing and fundraising for his foundation.  Kristen had thought long and hard about both offers but--as tempting as the idea was to work for Chris--she had finally decided to go with Michael's offer.  Kristen had heard it was never good to mix business with pleasure.  She didn't want anything to come between them.  Kristen loved the concept behind Chris' foundation and she knew, after this successful joint venture bringing N SYNC back together and raising funds for both organizations, Kristen knew there would be many more opportunities down the road that would give her a chance to work with The Chris Kirkpatrick Foundation again.  She loved the idea of actually getting to interact with the kids she was trying to help on a regular basis--playing and having fun with them--instead of going to stuffy black tie affairs trying to coax stodgy millionaires out of their money.  She wanted to interact with the kids they were helping--to see the smiles on their faces and hear their excited giggles. 

Kristen smiled as she entered the parking lot of the Amway Arena downtown.  She was amazed at the amount of cars that were already there and her smile grew as she remembered the game Chris had taken her to a few months ago: their first official date and the night Chris had talked her into helping him get this event organized.  Oh, how far they'd come since that night!  Kristen drove around to the back of the arena, slowing down and showing security her ID badge.  They waved her through and she parked in between Amie's red Mazda and Chris' Escalade.  She checked her watch again and swore.  Even though traffic had been light and she'd gotten here in good time, she was still late.  Grabbing her purse and the manila folder setting on the passenger seat, Kristen scrambled out of the Jeep and hurried towards the building. 

Kristen flashed her ID badge once again at security and was let through the back doors of the arena.  Walking through the halls, Kristen pushed her hair back from her face.  She looked down at the folder in her arms and smiled.  She needed to find Chris; to share the good news with him.  She was free!  She was finally free!  After being arrested, Kevin had been placed in a psychiatric hold for 72 hours.  His arrest and sentence in regards to his kidnapping of her and the charges of assault that Kristen had brought against him, had allowed Kristen to finally put her petition for divorce before a judge. 

Three months ago, Kristen had made the decision to walk away--to stop fighting and give Kevin everything.  Today she had the papers showing that she had been given everything.  The house was hers, to do with what she wanted, and all of their joint assets and bank account information were now under her control.  Tomorrow morning she was going to contact a realtor and put the house up on the market, but right now all she wanted to do was find Chris and tell him the good news.      

She was sidetracked, however, and stopped--a smile coming to her face when she rounded a corner and saw Amie talking with Joey, Justin, and JC.  Amie laughed at something JC said and reached out, putting her hand on his arm in an obvious and flirtatious manner.  Careful, Ames.  She thought with a roll of her eyes as she recognized her friend's attempt to get the guy's attention.  Don't get too attached to him, he's married. 

"Amie." Kristen called out, drawing the other girl's attention away from the guys. 

"Kristen!" Amie exclaimed.  She said something to the three guys then turned and hurried over to Kristen.  "Where the hell have you been?" She asked, grabbing Kristen's arm.  "I've been looking everywhere for you."

"Mmm-hmm." Kristen hummed as she looked over Amie's shoulder at the retreating backs of Joey, Justin, and JC.  "I can see that." She teased as her eyes went back to Amie. "You do realize he's married, right?" Kristen asked, in reference to JC.

"Of course." Amie replied as the girls continued walking down the hall. 

"You realize those three are all married, right?" Kristen continued with a laugh. 

"Yes, bitch." Amie answered with a slug to Kristen's arm. 

"Ow." Kristen exclaimed with another laugh, rubbing her arm.

"But just because they're married doesn't mean I still can't do some harmless flirting, does it?" Amie asked innocently.

"I'd be careful if I were you." Kristen warned with a chuckle as she shook her head.  "I only met her a few days ago but JC's wife, Rachel, isn't the kind of girl that's going to take too kindly to you flirting with her husband."

"I can take her." Amie replied confidently.

"I wouldn't be too sure of that." Kristen mused under her breath.  "And Aubrey may be quiet," she continued. "But she's not going to stand for it either so don't think about going after Justin, in fact...don't think about going after any of them.  Justin, JC, and Joey are married and I'll kill you if you even think of going after Chris that only leaves you Lance but since he's gay I don't really think--"    

"What took you so long?" Amie asked with a laugh, cutting Kristen off and changing the subject.  "You said it was only going to be ten minutes."

Kristen looked at her friend knowingly.  She smiled.  "I know, I'm sorry." She  apologized. "It was only going to be ten minutes, but then I got a phone call and had to wait for a fax to come through and...you know how it is.  I'm sorry." She offered again. 

"It's okay." Amie said.  "You're here now." She smiled.  "Let's get this show on the road!"    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris stood in the dressing room he'd been given, waiting for the game to start.  He gripped the counter he was standing in front of him and hung his head.  Closing his eyes he counted to ten then looked up--meeting his reflection in the mirror.  He stared into the eyes of the man in the mirror for a long time.  It was a strange feeling to be standing there, looking at yourself, and yet not recognizing anything of what you were looking at.  It wasn't long before the questions started coming to his mind--something inside trying to break down his walls of confidence and his assurance.

What are you doing? The voice questioned as he looked into the brown eyes looking back at him. 

Not this time.  He answered back, shaking his head slightly.  His grip on the edge of the counter tightened. 

What makes you so sure about this?  The voice questioned.  This is going to change everything.  Are you ready for that.  Are you ready to-

The door behind him suddenly opened and Chris jumped in surprise as Justin poked his head into the room. 

"You ready, man?"  Justin asked, giving him a weird look when he saw Chris' reaction.  "Everyone's waitin' on you.  You okay?" 

"Yeah." Chris nodded.  "I'm fine."  He looked at his reflection one last time as he took a deep breath and then blew it out.  He clapped his hands together and smiled as he looked back at Justin-pushing the questioning voice from his mind.  "Let's do this."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies and Gentlemen...welcome to N SYNC's Challenge for the Children celebrity basketball game benefiting the Florida Children's Hospital and the Chris Kirkpatrick Foundation."

The crowd's cheering in the Amway Arena in downtown Orlando increased in volume as the lights went down and the announcer's voice came over the P.A. system--signaling the beginning of the game.  Rachel grinned and let out an excited squeal.  With everything that had happened over the last couple years, she was still amazed and giddy whenever something involving N SYNC happened.  All of her secret hopes and wishes had come true since she'd met JC: they had dated and fallen in love, he had released a second solo album, he had proposed to her, she had become close friends with Justin Timberlake, N SYNC had gotten back together and released a fourth and final album, she and JC had gotten married, she had had JC's baby and now she was sitting in the audience as her favorite group of guys played their charity basketball game once again.  She wasn't sure how much better life could get. 

It would be better if Megan were here. Rachel thought with a disappointed sigh.  She wished her best friend had been able to come with her, but Megan had declined Rachel's offer of a ticket to the game insisting instead that she would watch Claire so Rachel and JC could have some time alone together.  Rachel balked at the offer at first--not believing that Megan didn't want to come.  How could anybody not want to come to this game?!  Rachel worried that Megan felt like she had received the short end of the stick.  Although Megan's husband, Jackson, was an incredible man who loved Megan more than life itself, he was no pop star.  Rachel wondered if that was why Megan didn't want to come--because she didn't want to have the fact that Rachel had married JC and was now intimately connected to their favorite musical group and she as not rubbed in her face yet again.  Megan had assured her that that was not the reason she didn't want to go--trying to convince Rachel that she simply didn't want to go.  It wasn't that she didn't still love the guys, but...she had reached the point where she was over her high school obsession with them.  Megan didn't need to go to anymore events or concerts.  She was married and, with her second child, Emily, having been born last month, Megan was even abusier now being a wife and mother.  Rachel had finally accepted Megan's answer and her offer to watch Claire for the weekend but that didn't erase the fact she still thought this game would have been made better had Megan been here with her. 

"What's wrong?"

"Huh?"  Rachel asked as she turned to look at Aubrey who sat beside her.  Aubrey looked at her in question, having obviously heard her disappointed sigh a moment ago.  "Oh...nothing." Rachel assured the other girl with a smile.  "Nothing." 

"Playing for the Knights...number 29: Justin Timberlake!"

Both girls turned towards the court as the announcers called out Justin's name and he ran out onto the floor.  The girls around them exploded, yelling and cheering.  Rachel smiled.  "Justin looks good." She commented, glancing over at Aubrey with a smile. 

Aubrey let go an appreciative sigh. "He always looks good." She replied and Rachel giggled.  The girls looked back at the court.  Justin waved at the crowd, turning around to wave at everyone.  He spotted the girls in their seats and blew a kiss to Aubrey.  The girls sitting around them, however, assumed the kiss had been given to them and they all erupted into cheers and excited squeals.  Rachel and Aubrey looked at each other and laughed.  Aubrey waved back and blew Justin a kiss in return.  Rachel smiled as she observed her friend--the look of pure happiness on Aubrey's face and the complete love and adoration Rachel knew Aubrey shared with the man whose ring and last name she wore with pride gave Rachel an immense feeling of satisfaction.  She sat up a little taller in her chair and puffed her chest out slightly in accomplishment.  She had known from the moment those two had met in her kitchen after Justin had surprised her and Aubrey had dropped her soda and brownie all over the floor that they were meant to be together.  Aubrey had been the perfect cure for all of Justin's past heartbreak and she was the perfect counter balance to his crazy life in the spotlight.  She provided him the stability and sense of normalcy he needed-much like Rachel did for JC. 

And Kristen for Chris. Rachel thought as she caught sight of the woman who had been the one behind making today a reality down on the sidelines.  Rachel had been dying to meet Kristen since Chris had started dating her and she'd finally had the chance to a few days ago.  She had been curious as to what kind of woman this Kristen was.  Kristen had done what no other woman before her had been able to do: convert Chris from his bachelor ways.  Rachel again felt a smug sense of satisfaction as an arrogant grin spread across her face.  She leaned back in her chair-folding her arms across her chest.  If she hadn't convinced Chris to go after what he wanted and surprise Kristen at work earlier this year they wouldn't all be sitting here right now and Chris would not have the permanent, happy grin on his face that he was sporting now.  When you're good...you're good. Rachel thought.  I should have gone into the match-making business not the event planning business.  She mused as the announcer continued calling out the other players on Justin's team.  Joey and Chris were on Justin's team, along with Timbaland, Justin's friend and Tennman artist Matt Morris, Trace, the guys from Chris' new band he was putting together, LeBron James, and Dwight Howard from the Orlando Magic.

"And playing for the Daze...Lance Bass and JC Chasez."

Rachel sat up and cheered loudly as JC jogged out onto the court.  "Okay, I'm sorry.  I have to take it back." She said, talking to Aubrey though her eyes never left JC.  "JC is the one who is lookin' good!  Mmmm...hot damn, that man is beyond sexy!"

"Control yourself." Aubrey commented with a chuckle.  "The game is just starting.  Don't get all hot and bothered now.  You got a couple hours before you can jump him." Rachel laughed as she pushed Aubrey playfully and looked at her in surprise.  "What?" Aubrey asked at the look on Rachel's face.

"Is it me or Justin that's been the  bad influence?" Rachel asked.  "Cuz the Aubrey I met a few years ago wouldn't have just said what you said to me."

Aubrey chuckled as she shrugged and turned her attention back to the game.  "It's a toss up."

Rachel laughed again as the rest of the players on the Daze came out: Derrick Rose from the Chicago Bulls, Kobe Bryant, T.I., the guys' long-time manager Johnny Wright, a couple of the guys from the N SYNC band, and a player that caught everyone by surprise-AJ McLean from the Backstreet Boys

"This is gonna be good." Rachel exclaimed as she rubbed her hands and grinned excitedly as Justin and JC came up the center of the court for the tip off.  The ref threw the ball up.  Both guys jumped for it.  Justin had a slight height advantage on JC which gave him an edge and allowed his team to gain control of the ball first.  "Game on!"

The girls watched as the game continued, ribbing each other every time their man missed a shot--something that Aubrey was able to do a lot more than Rachel.  "I'm beginning to realize that Jace really isn't a good basketball player." Rachel laughed as she watched her husband take and miss his second free throw after Dwight Howard was given a personal foul while JC had been trying to make a shot.

Aubrey laughed as Justin quickly took possession of the ball again and easily made another basket for the Knights.  She cupped her hands around her mouth for a second as she cheered then clapped.  "Go, Knights!"  She turned to Rachel.  "That's my guy." She said, pointing down at the court--rubbing in the fact that Justin really was the basketball champ he claimed to be.  Rachel humphed as she folded her arms, and slouched down in her chair, though she couldn't help the chuckle that soon escaped.  She rolled her eyes as she shook her head.  It shouldn't surprise her that Justin was turning out to be the star of the show.  He had always been the star of the show--the one that liked to put on a show and be the center of attention.   

Rachel sat up quickly, cheering loudly as JC stole the ball from Chris and began running the ball down to his team's end of the court.  "Go, go, go!" She yelled, standing up to cheer.  "Yes!" She exclaimed, jumping excitedly when JC made the basket.  "Yes, yes, yes!  Great shot, honey!"  She yelled out-ignoring the looks she got from the girls around her.  "I love you!"  She exclaimed loudly.   "I want to have your baby!  Oh wait, I already have!"  She said with a laugh. 

"Would you sit down!" Aubrey demanded as she tugged on Rachel's arm, forcing her to sit down.  "You are ridiculous." Aubrey told her, unable to keep from laughing at Rachel's antics. 

"That's why you love me." Rachel replied with a grin.  Aubrey just shook her head as she continued laughing. 

"Excuse me.  Sorry.  Excuse me."

Rachel and Aubrey turned to looked down the aisle.  They smiled as they saw Kristen moving towards them-stepping over and trying to scootch past the other people sitting on their row.  "Can I sit here?" She asked as she finally made it to Rachel and Aubrey and the empty chair beside them.

"Of course." Rachel smiled.  "Sit your ass down and come join us as we oogle and make fun of the guys."

Kristen chuckled as she sat down next to Rachel.  "We were just trying to decide who the better player is: Justin or JC." Rachel told her. 

"How about Chris?" Kristen asked as the three of them watched the oldest member of N SYNC jump and easily make a three point shot.  "Whoo!"  Kristen yelled, clapping.  "That was beautiful, did you see that?!  That was beautiful!  That was beautiful, baby!"  She called out.  "Damn, that man is hot.  Don't you think he's hot?" Kristen asked, fanning herself.  "He's hot!"

Rachel laughed as she put her arm around Kristen's shoulder.  "You're going to fit in just fine around here." She proclaimed.  "Just fine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen watched from her seat as Michael came out onto the court and presented both Chris and the hospital director with the checks at the end of the game.  The audience around her clapped and cheered as he explained that they had been able to raise fifty thousand dollars which was going to be split between both organizations.  Kristen smiled in excitement.  That amount would do so much for the kids here in Orlando that needed it.  Everyone started to get up after the check ceremony, assuming that the event was over.  She felt a sense of sadness and disappointment sweep over the crowd and she sympathized with them.  She'd like to be able to say that this was going to happen again next year, but she wasn't sure.  She'd love to be able to get the guys to all sign contacts saying they would do this every year from now on, but she knew that wasn't realistic.  Hopefully, the stars would align again in the future and they'd be able to get back together to play some basketball for a good cause, but that wasn't something she could guarantee at this point.  Kristen took a deep breath and stood--intent on making her way down to the floor to start cleaning up.

Until she heard a very familiar voice come over the P.A. system. 

~~~~~~~

Chris quickly grabbed the microphone from Kristen's boss as everyone started getting up to leave.  "Before everyone starts to leave," he began, making the crowd stop and quiet down.  Everyone turned to look at him in question at this unexpected turn of events.  "I want to thank you all for coming out and supporting us." He continued as people began sitting down again.  "It's meant so much to us that you all are still out there supporting us and listening to our music." The crowd cheered and Chris waited for it to quiet down again.  "You just saw the money we were able to raise today because of you and I wanted to personally say thank you to each and every one of you."  His eyes scanned the arena, searching for a familiar face.  Where is she?  "There's one more person I want to personally thank.  Vanilla?"  He called her out.  "Where you at girl?" He waited, turning to look at each side of the court.  "Kristen?"  He called out again.  "Come out, come out, wherever you are."  He continued in a sing-song voice.  Finally he saw her stand up from her seat and began walking down towards him.  "There she is!"  He exclaimed, making a show of pointing at her.  The crowd applauded and Chris grinned as he saw the blush spread across her cheeks.  She smiled and waved at everyone as she walked across the floor to him. 

"What are you doing?" She hissed, looking at him pointedly. 

Chris just smiled as he put an arm around her shoulders and began speaking to the crowd again.  "The only reason we're all here today is because of this woman." He told everyone.

"That's not true--"

"Don't interrupt." Chris said, cutting her off.  "As I was saying, the only reason we're all here today is because of this woman.  A few months ago I told her I was thinking of getting this game going again.  I don't even know why we stopped, but it doesn't matter.  I told Kristen I wanted to get this going again.  We talked and, well...you can see what happened." He said, spreading his arms wide.  "Kristen was able to get this whole thing pulled together in three months--a feat I'm not sure even the most seasoned of professionals can do--and I think she deserves a round of applause." 

The crowd erupted and Kristen turned to look at him--her cheeks blazing and a warning look in her beautiful eyes.  Chris just grinned at her as he stuck the microphone under one arm and put his hands together, clapping along with everyone else in thanks for everything she had done.  She turned back to the crowd, smiling and nodding, graciously accepting the praise being given her.  He had watched her the last three months and marveled at her talent and abilities.  His heart began pounding in nervousness as he took the microphone in one hand again, his other hand slipping into the pocket of the shorts he was wearing. 

"Now, I just have one more thing and then everyone can leave." He said.  Kristen turned to look at him again--questions burning in her eyes.  Chris took a deep breath, his heart about to beat right out of his chest. Here goes nothing.  He thought, ignoring that voice from earlier that was trying to convince him not to do this.  Kristen continued looking at him, waiting. "Kristen?"  He said, slowly lowering down to one knee.  Kristen's eyes went wide as dinner plates as the crowd around them erupted in cheers and squeals of excitement.  Kristen lifted a hand to her chest, her breath coming in quick shallow gasps as he pulled the diamond engagement ring he'd purchased last week from his pocket. 

"Oh my go--" She gasped.  She lifted the hand from her chest and put it over her mouth.  She shook her head slightly, staring at him in disbelief. 

"Kristen, will you marry me?" He asked, blurting the words out before he talked himself out of it.  The noise from the crowd was almost deafening as he said those four little words and waited--his heart in his throat--unable to breath.  If someone had told him he would one day be in this position, he would have laughed right in their face.  Chris Kirkpatrick was never getting married!  Chris Kirkpatrick loved to party and drink and didn't have the time to be tied down to one woman for the rest of his life.  Chris Kirkpatrick was scared of getting married.  He had seen what his parents and others--including the woman standing in front of him--had gone through by being married.  He didn't want to open himself up to that kind of pain.  He didn't want to open himself up and be that dependent on another person, yet here he was: knee bent, ring extended, question asked...waiting.    

~~~~~~~~~

Kristen stood, completely shocked and speechless--staring at Chris.  This couldn't be real.  She kept telling herself over and over again.  This couldn't be real.  There was no way this was happening.  She hadn't even had a chance to talk to him about the finalization of her divorce this morning.  Everything had been so hectic and crazy and they hadn't had any time alone together.  He was proposing to her, still working under the assumption that she was legally bound to someone else.  He had no idea when she was going to be free to actually marry him, yet he was asking her anyway.  And what the hell made him change his mind?! She wondered, as she continued looking at him.  She knew how he felt about marriage.  They hadn't really had a discussion about it because she knew it would be an open and shut topic.  Chris Kirkpatrick wasn't getting married.  Ever.  He had said it more than one time over the years and Kristen knew that marriage was probably something they were never going to share and she as fine with that.  She'd just gotten out of the marriage from hell and she remembered the struggle Chris had had just asking her to move in with him!  Yet, here he was: knee bent, ring extended, question asked...waiting.

She saw his fingers trembling slightly as he continued to hold the ring out to her.  His brown eyes looking up at her-pleading for an answer, begging her to put him out of his misery, imploring her not to make him look like an idiot in front of all these fans.  Kristen felt a smile slowly spread and had to blink a few times as tears began to blur her vision.  She nodded.  "Yes." She said, her hand lowering from her mouth and Chris almost collapsed to the floor in relief.  "Yes!" She exclaimed, with an excited laugh.  The microphone dropped with a loud thud that echoed through the arena as Chris jumped up and threw his arms around her.  He spun her around as their lips connected over and over again while everyone clapped and cheered.  "Yes, yes, yes!" She told him as she put her hands on either side of his face and looked into his eyes.  "A million times, yes!" She said as she kissed him, her arms locked around his neck.

Chris finally put her back down and Kristen watched as he slid the ring onto her finger.  The ring was simple: a single square cute diamond on a platinum band, but she instantly loved it.  It wasn't anything flashy or fancy, just simple and elegant.  Her eyes met his again and this time she couldn't stop the tears from falling.  Chris put his arms around her and she hugged him tightly.  She couldn't believe she was going to do this.  After everything that had happened with Kevin, she couldn't believe she was really and truly about to do this again.  Her divorce hadn't been final for even a day and here she was accepting someone else's ring!  She had to be crazy.  But this time was different.  This time was going to be different.  This time, there was no hesitation.  There were no questions in the back of her mind.  She and Chris had been through more in the short time they'd been together than most couples experienced in a life time.  She was fortunate in that way.  Because of everything she'd gone through--everything he'd been there for and seen her go through--she was a stronger individual now then she was a few years ago.  She was more confident in herself as a woman and as an individual.  She knew what she wanted and needed in life and she wasn't going to let anyone stand in her way or try to put her down or convince her she wasn't good enough.

Kristen pulled back and looked at Chris again.  "I love you." She said quietly.  He grinned and lowered his head, capturing her lips with his once more. 

"Welcome to the family!"

Kristen and Chris were interrupted and pulled back as Rachel quickly came up to congratulate them.  She squealed excitedly as she gave the couple each a hug then put her arm around Kristen's shoulders and started drawing her away before Kristen could question how Rachel had gotten down from her seat and onto the court so quickly.  "Now, we need to start planning.  It's going to be kind of difficult since you live here in Orlando and I'm in LA, but we can make it work."  She stated confidently.  Kristen looked at the blonde, and couldn't help but laugh over the way she automatically assumed and just stepped right into the action of planning the wedding.  "I'm just starting to pull things together in my head, but here's what I'm thinking so far..."

~~~~~~~~

The rest of the guys came over to congratulate him, teasing him about all the comments he'd made over the years about never getting married and being a bachelor for life.  Chris accepted their ribbing and laughed with them.  He watched as Rachel led Kristen away.  Kristen looked over her shoulder at him--an amused look on her face as Rachel kept talking to her animatedly--and Chris just shrugged in apology.  He knew enough to stay out of it.  When Rachel got an idea in her head there was no stopping her.  If she wanted to plan the wedding, he was going to let her.  It meant less for him to do and he knew it was going to be a spectacular event.  Rachel didn't do anything less than spectacular.

A strange feeling washed over him. 

He was getting married!  His mother was going to be ecstatic.  He knew she worried about him being alone-like all mother's did about their children-but he also knew she understood where his reservations and bachelor stance had come from.  She had met Kristen for the first time last month and had fallen in love with her.  The two women had hit it off immediately which only served to convince Chris even more that what he had just done had been the right decision. 

Kristen was amazing.  They mirrored each other in so many ways and their differences balanced each other out.  She was smart, funny, incredibly beautiful and amazing in bed.  She loved sports as much, if not more than he did, and he didn't even mind that she cheered for the wrong teams.  It just made game time at their house more interesting.  She was kind, sweet, genuine, and made him feel like he could take on the world and conquer it with just her smile.  He was crazy, full of life and energy, and he thanked his lucky stars every day that she had run into him that day at the grocery store and knew if she hadn't have backed into him, he wouldn't be standing here right now. 

Kristen had discovered, shortly after moving in with him, that he'd never gotten his car fixed.  The back fender on his PT Cruiser still held the indentation from her Jeep's bumper from that fateful day in March.  She had questioned him on it, and he had been honest with her.  Why hadn't he gotten it fixed?  Because it was a reminder to him of the first day they had met.  It made him smile every time he saw it and he didn't want to get it fixed.  She had softened at that answer and had thrown her arms around him, kissing him warmly, in response.  Chris grinned at the memory. 

He stood, shaking hands with everyone as they left the floor and waving as the fans in the audience left.  Soon he was left in silence.  The empty arena echoed as he walked to one end and retrieved a ball from one of the racks.  Dribbling it down the court, he stood at the free throw line for a moment then lifted the ball and made the shot.  He watched as the ball landed easily through the net.

"Nice shot."

He looked up, a smile coming to his face as Kristen walked towards him.  She bent down and picked up the ball he had just thrown.  "Think you can do it again?" She challenged as she toss the basketball at him.  He caught it, his eyes never leaving hers. 

"Probably." He replied as he bounced the ball a few times in front of him.  "What do I get if I do?" He asked. 

Kristen stopped a few feet in front of him.  She put her hands on her hips and cocked her head to the side as she looked at him for a few moments.  "If you can make that shot again, I'll marry you." She offered. 

He made a noise of interest as one brow quirked up.  He looked at her for a minute, as if weighing the offer, then turned and focused on the basket in front of him.  He lifted his arms, threw the ball, and watched as it bounced off the backboard and ricocheted back towards them.

"You missed that on purpose!" Kristen accused with a laugh. 

Chris turned to look at her.  "Sorry, sweetheart." He shrugged.  "I'm a confirmed bachelor. Haven't you heard? Marriage really isn't my thing."  He saw her narrow her eyes at him and he couldn't stop laughing. 

"You are so dead!" Kristen proclaimed as she lunged towards him.  Chris turned his back but Kristen jumped on him, locking her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist from behind as she began to laugh with him.  "Marriage isn't your thing?!" She questioned him as he tried to shake her off.

"Nope." He shook his head, still grinning.

"Then why the hell did you just make me go through the last twenty minutes listening to Rachel as she planned out our wedding?" Kristen asked as she finally slid off his back.  Chris turned to look at her.  "That wasn't very nice." She continued with a playful sparkle in her eyes.  She pouted.  "You owe me."

"You're right." Chris nodded, forcing a straight face.  "That wasn't very nice."  He agreed.  He looked around them for a second.  "Tell you what." He said as he jogged over to where the basketball he had been shooting lay about ten feet away.  "If I make this shot, I'll take you home right now and make it up to you."

Kristen looked at him in interest.  "And how to you propose on doing that?" She asked.

He grinned, feeling wicked.  "There's this spot." He told her.  "And I know how to hit it." He continued, watching as one brow of her slowly raised.  "Real good." He promised.  He heard her breath hitch slightly and felt a smug sense of satisfaction sweep through him at the way he was able to so easily affect her.     

"And if you miss?" She asked. 

"I'll still hit it." He replied.

She laughed.  "That's not..." she shook her head.  "They have to be different." She reminded him.  "I mean, I'm all for you hitting it, believe me." She reassured him.  "But there's got to be something more added if you make it."

"Okay." He nodded as he began dribbling the ball in front of him.  "How about: if I miss I'll take you home and make sure you can't walk for a week." He winked at her, grinning at the desire he saw burning in her eyes.  "If I make it," he began walking around her, dribbling the ball as he went.  "I'll still make sure you scream my name more than a few times tonight, but I'll also marry you." 

"I accept the terms." Kristen nodded, her eyes following his.  "Show me what you got."

"That's later." He winked at her and she laughed. 

"Just shoot the damn ball, Kirkpatrick." She demanded with a smile and a roll of her eyes.  "The sooner you do, the sooner we can go home and you can get to work on hitting that spot you claim you're so good at." She continued, with a sassy tilt of her head and a hand on her hip. 

Chris held the ball in his hands as he leaned over and kissed her. "Nothing but net." He said as he pulled back and threw the ball back over his shoulder without looking.

Kristen gasped as she watched the ball's progression over his shoulder.  "No way!" She exclaimed as the ball swished through the net.  "Did you..." she looked at him in astonishment then back at the basketball net.  "That was amazing!"  She proclaimed.  "How did you...how did you do that?!"

"Practice." He shrugged as he put his arms around her and pulled her close. 

Kristen laughed as he kissed her.  "Well, now you're stuck with me." She told him.  "Now you have to marry me."

He grinned as he gave her an affectionate squeeze.  "First things first."  He stated.  "I believe you've got some screaming to do for me, my love." 

Kristen's smile grew as she wound her arms around his neck, her fingers toying with his hair.  "Think you can make me scream, do you?" She asked.

"I know I can make you scream." He replied confidently as he lowered his head, his lips hovering above hers.

Kristen sighed as she closed her eyes and he grinned.  Damn, she was beautiful..."Then I say again," she said, her lips brushing against his lightly.  She opened her eyes and looked at him and Chris felt a shot go through him.  He had made the right decision.  "Show me what you got."

End Notes:

well.....sad to say, but....this is the end, folks :( 

This story has been a very interesting experience to write.  I never in a million years ever thought I would write a Chris story but, when Kristen told me that's what she wanted for her "door prize"  I couldn't resist the challenge.  I've had a chance to learn more about Chris through my researching and become good friends with whitesoxluvr9 in the process. :)  I love you, you're crazy, and...TAG, you're it!!!

song credit: "Gotta Be Somebody" by Nickleback

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1628