Cry Me a River by Mack_Attack22, sexylove91
Summary:

We weren’t always like this. We used to be best friends. We used to do everything together. We used to talk about everything. But then, something changed…

A Trace Ayala Story

ON HIATUS


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Group, Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Celebrity/Celebrity, Drama, General, Humor
Challenges: None
Series: Are You Gonna Be There
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 15976 Read: 16460 Published: Dec 31, 2009 Updated: Apr 27, 2011
Story Notes:
As I said before, this story is written from Trace Ayala's point of view. Something new we wanted to try.

1. Trace Ayala to the Rescue by Mack_Attack22

2. Revelation by Mack_Attack22

3. Caught in the Middle by Mack_Attack22

4. Headaches and Dreams by Mack_Attack22

5. Phone Calls and CFTC by Mack_Attack22

6. JC and Justin by Mack_Attack22

7. Bromance by Mack_Attack22

Trace Ayala to the Rescue by Mack_Attack22

If it's one thing I hate the most, I hate having to wake up earlier than I need to. And this was definitely earlier than I needed to be up. I mean, I was on a break from college and the only thing I wanted to do was get some sleep, something I haven’t been able to do since I enrolled at the University of Memphis. I’d rather it be my dog that was waking me up this early, but no, it had to be my cell phone ringing.

"What?" I growled as soon as I picked up the phone.

"Trace? Man, it's me,” a soft voice said on the other line. So soft that I couldn’t recognize who was talking, which only added to how annoyed I was.

"Me who," I demanded, rubbing my eyes and yawning.

"'Me' Justin, idiot," Justin replied. Ah, Justin Timberlake. My former best friend. Former because he woke me up at six fucking AM.

"What's up man?" I yawned again and propped myself up on my elbow.

"What're you doing?" I stared at the phone in my hand. Was Justin really that stupid? He woke me up early in the morning to ask me something as stupid as that. I sear if he were here I'd strangle the guy. He knows as well as I do that I hate waking up before nine. Hell, he’s worse than me when he wakes up. He’s so fucking grouchy that I can’t even say anything to him until he’s had his fucking sacred bowl of damn cereal.

"I was sleeping," I responded, pushing myself up in a sitting position. Once I was awake I was awake, I would never be able to get back to sleep. Some friend you are, Timberlake.

"Your Mom said you're on break from college," Justin continued. I could hear the anxiousness in his voice and I didn't even need to hear him as to know what he wanted. I hate it when he does this to me.

"When do you want me out there?" I asked, looking across my room at the calendar on my wall. I still don’t get why my mom gets me one. I don’t really use it unless I need to work out when I’m getting off break and need to know where I was going. Otherwise I lived each day by the day, I didn’t really look forward to the next one.

"As soon as possible man," Justin sighed. "I really need to talk to you about some stuff."

I groaned and rubbed my face. Of course J would rather me fly across the damn country to talk instead of talking on the phone. I don’t blame him though, he wasn’t a phone person. Neither was I but at this moment in time I would rather stay home and do nothing all day. "Ok man, I'll try and figure out some flight times. Where are you going next?" I questioned, getting out of bed and going over to my computer, scratching my head as I waited for it to boot up.

"Uh, Grand Rapids, Michigan,” he replied after a few seconds of silence. I laughed to myself. Justin traveled so much he never knew when he was in a different state. Once during a show he addressed the crowd as Las Vegas when they were in Los Angeles. He got crap from me and the rest of the guys the rest of the tour. He definitely made sure not to make that same mistake again.

"Ok, like I said I'll get some times and stuff. Once I figure all this out I'll call you back,” I told him as I quickly typed in my password. "Ok, thanks so much man," Justin sighed. Was it relief in his voice or anxiousness?

"Bye."

"Bye."

As I waited for my ridiculously slow computer to load (I really need a new one) I sighed and I flopped back on my pillow, replacing my phone on my bedside table. What could be so important that he wants me to fly all the way to Michigan for? I rolled over onto my side and looked out my window.

In the distance I could see the lake where Justin and I used to always go fishing. I grinned. I was always a better fisherman than Justin was. I’d always catch the biggest fish and I’d catch more of them. Justin would constantly pout and complain about it. A couple of times when he went to the bathroom I would stick one of my fish on his rod and throw it back into the water, making him think he caught it. I always liked to see the accomplished gleam in his eye. I was a better fisherman but he would get me back whenever we played basketball. He always owned me in that game.

I sighed again. I really wanted to stay home in Shelby Forest this time to be with my mom, but if Justin needed me I had to go. At least I'll get a trip out of my vacation and hang out with my best friend. My computer took forever to get to my damn homepage so I laid there thinking of different reasons as to why he wanted to talk to me so bad. I kept coming up with different scenarios but I couldn’t settle on one that was more like Justin. I just hoped to god he didn’t get a girl pregnant or something stupid like that.

“God!” I cried out, jumping out of bed and turning off my computer. It wasn’t worth the stress. I quickly changed my clothes and pulled on my favorite red and white trucker hat. I left my room, went down the stairs, and into the kitchen where Mom was making breakfast. I kissed her cheek and sat down at the table, picking up the newspaper.

“Morning, Trace,” Mom greeted me cheerfully, putting a plate of breakfast in front of me. I put down the newspaper and took a bite out of the bacon, grinning. I don’t care what anyone says, there is nothing like a home cooked meal. “What’s on your mind, honey?” She asked, studying my face as she sat across from me and blew on her cup of coffee.

“What makes you think something is wrong?” I questioned, wiping my mouth with my napkin.

Mom just smiled at me. “Because I know you Trace,” she replied. “I know when there’s something on your mind, you act a little different, like now. You don’t read the newspaper unless you want to talk about something.”

I chuckled. Leave it to Mom to figure out my mannerisms. I sighed. “It’s just…there’s something going on with Justin and I feel bad for not knowing what it is,” I replied.

“What do you mean?”

“He called me about twenty minutes ago saying that he needed me to come to Michigan so we could talk. He usually doesn’t ask me to leave home unless it’s for a very good reason. He has me worried, that’s all.”

“I think you should go,” Mom replied.

“Really? I thought you would want me to stay here. I don’t get to see you,” I pointed out.

“I know, but it sounds like Justin really needs his best friend.” She reached across the table and tapped the back of my hand. “I can see you when you get back.”

I flipped my hand over and squeezed hers. “Thanks so much, Ma.” I stood, kissed her cheek again, and moved to leave the room. I stopped in the doorway and turned to look at her. “May I use your laptop?” I asked. She nodded and shooed me away with a wave of her hand. “Thanks.”

Later that day I finally got online and got myself a flight out to Michigan first thing in the morning. Justin better appreciate this for me flying out this damn early. I spent the rest of the day hanging with my mom, telling her about the things that I went through at college and how, after two years, I still miss everyone at home which is why I come home every chance that I can get.

The next day I woke up and headed off to the airport. Besides waking up early I hate airports. Why? Because everyone’s in such a fucking rush to get on a tin can that can go down in any second. I really don’t get it. It’s not like they’re going to miss the damn plane when they’re two fucking hours early! After about an hour of annoyed waiting I finally got on the plane and managed to take a nap for an hour. The rest of the time I was awake because of the bunch of screaming babies, snoring old men, and overly (hot) cheerful flight attendants that kept asking if I wanted something to drink or eat. Waking up on a noisy plane did not help the mood I was in before I got here.

“Finally!” I practically shouted once the plane set down in Michigan. I was so ready to get off that plane that, as soon as I grabbed my carryon bag, I was shoving my way through the people to get off of the plane. I got a few dirty looks here and a few curses there but I really didn’t give a fuck. You screw up a plane ride for me; I screw up your departure. It’s a fair trade if you ask me. I finally get off the plane and grab my bags at the baggage claim and, to make my day even better, I lost my one of my bags. Note the sarcasm there.

So I was forced to spend an hour with security trying to find it. All to turn out that it was still on the plane. I really want to kill incompetent ignorant people sometimes. "Ooops, sorry kid must've missed that one" the guy laughs. He seriously thinks this is funny, I'm trying so hard not to punch the guy in the face. And kid. I’m twenty fucking years old, almost twenty one! Who the hell is he calling a kid? Damn my 5’6” frame.

"No shit Sherlock" I mutter under my breath, fighting the urge to flip him off.

"What was that?" he asked, turning to me and raising his eyebrows. Yeah, like raising those caterpillars is supposed to intimidate me, asshole

"Nothing, thank you," I say as I walk out to the receiving area, to see Lonnie waiting for me.

"Hey Shorty," he smiles.

"Don't start with the short jokes again, man. I aint in the mod for it," I groaned, rubbing my forehead to try and ease the headache that had suddenly come on.

"Bad flight?" Lonnie asked as he walked next to me. I dodged many little kids that were running around and screaming. Never in my life did I want to attack kids as much as I wanted to right now.

 "Bad is an understatement," I replied. "They claimed to have lost my fucking suitcase when it was still on the fucking plane," I grumbled, shoving my hat down over my head.

"I hope the bus ride makes things better for you,” Lonnie said with a small smile.

"I hope so too." I followed Lonnie outside, around the side of the airport, and to the busses that were in the parking lot. It kinda struck me as odd that they would bring the whole bus with them but they were on a tight schedule.

"You better have a fucking good reason to call me out here, asshole!" I shouted as soon as i saw Justin lying on the couch, although I grinned.

"Thanks for commin' man," Justin said with a big smile as he gave me a hug and the other guys called/nodded their greeting.

"So whats this about?" I ask as I sit down on the couch.

Justin’s eyes shifted, looking around at the other guys before looking back at me. "Can we talk later? In private" he whispered so only I could hear as the rest of the guys were messing around.

"Sure, whatever" I grumble.

"Awww are we grumpy, how was your flight?" Justin grinned.

I sigh, "Oh just great" I said with massive amounts of fake happiness. "I only got a few hours of sleep and then they fucking almost lost my suit case and I had to get on the first flight just to see you because I'm a good friend like that!"

Justin laughs, "Oh man that’s bad, but I'm glad you came." He smiled warmly.

"Yeah, yeah," I mutter.

We (finally) made it back to the hotel and I sat on the couch. “So we’re alone, now what is it you wanna talk about?"

“I think we’re alone now,” Justin started singing under his breath. He stopped when he noticed me glaring at him and he looks at me with worried eyes.

"Oh god, don't tell me you got a girl pregnant!" I cried out.

He looks at me confused, "What? No."

"Then what is it?" I demanded.

He gets up and starts pacing, "I've been thinking about some stuff.”

That’s the only reason he brought me here? Because he’s been thinking? “Oh what kind of stuff?"

"Just where I'm going with the band."

When he says something like this I usually end up thinking the same thing: what the hell is he jawing about?

He didn't disappoint.

End Notes:
I hope you guys liked this. It's our first shot at a Trace story and we hope you enjoy it. Please leave a review.
Revelation by Mack_Attack22

I tilted my head slightly as he messed with the basketball in his hands, his nervous habit. I didn't get it, what did he mean where he's going with the band?

"What do you mean, J? Shouldn't you be talking to the others about this and not me?" I asked, rubbing the back of my neck.

"Because...I mean, I kinda want to do something else. I mean, I like the band I like what we're doing it's just...I want to make a different sound I guess." Justin shrugged and looked down at the floor.

"So why don't you tell them that? I bet they'd understand. That song, Girlfriend right? That had an R&B sound to it, it even reached the R&B charts and you guys are a critic claimed 'pop' group," I pointed out.

"I know," Justin agreed. I could see him struggling to say something, admit something even, as he spun the basketball on his finger. I slapped it out of his hand and he looked at me.

"J, it's me, Trace, your best friend. You can tell me anything, man."

He didn't look at me and looked down at the ground.

I scoffed. "Alright if you can't tell me what the fucks bothering you then this whole trip was useless," I spat as I started to walk away. Then he said the words that made me stop dead in my tracks: "I wanna quit the band Trace."

My eyes widen in surprise as I slowly turn around. He didn’t just say that. I probably didn’t hear him right. "You wanna what?" I asked, not being able to hide my shock.

"I wanna quit the band," he says lowly.

I go over to him, "J, how long have you thought about this?"

"I dunno, a while." He goes over to the bench and puts his head in his hands.

"Wow, J, that's some thought. What are you going to do?" I ask as I sit next to him.

"I don't know, I’m scared to tell the other guys,” he admitted.

"Why? They should understand that this what you wanna do."

"Trace, you don't get it. When Joey and Lance decided to do a movie we felt like they wanted a way out and if I do this they'll feel like i'm betraying them!" he says as tears filled his eyes. I've never really seen Justin cry, so that tipped me off that this really must bother him.

"Look Just, if they're your friends they'll understand and support you in whatever happens because that's what I'll do." I smile.

"Really?" he sniffles.

"Yeah and if they give you shit about it, fuck them."

Justin chuckles, "Thanks Trace."

"Hey what are friends for? Just do what you do and you'll be fine. I mean, did you guys feel that JC was betraying you when he decided to produce for Wild Orchid or TLC?" I questioned.

"Well, I kinda did," Justin admitted. "But my reason is biased." He frowned. "But what if they hate me? I mean, to them this is sudden but I've been thinking about this for a bit."

 "So don't quit," I replied simply.

"What?" He asked in confusion.

"Don't fucking quit," I responded. "Tell them...you want to go on a hiatus. Once you feel you've done what you wanted to do you can go back and make another CD or whatever it is you guys do. I mean, you need a break anyway, right? Weren't you all planning on going on a break for 6 months? Just use that time to do what you want and then get back with them," I suggested.

"That's a good idea," Justin admitted and I beamed. "I just don't know how to tell them."

 "You don't have to tell them yet. You still have...a month and a half of this tour to finish up. Tell them when you're ready. And if you can't, I will."

"It won't be the same," Justin pointed out.

"Yes but I’ll be sure to get the point across," I replied. "Don't feel bad about doing what you want to do. I'm sure they'll support you 100%."

"They always do," Justin admitted. "I don't know, I feel as if they think I'm betraying them because Jive has been pushing for me to be in the spotlight, even though I hated it."

"Well that’s tough shit if you really wanna do this" I laugh. He glares at me. "Look J, you can still think about this fully before making any drastic moves. Just think about it and if you feel you still wanna do this, then do it. Don't do anything to please anyone but yourself because you and I know you want this Justin" I tell him.

He smiles "Thanks man. I appreciate you coming here, I really needed this."

"Hey what can I say? I'm a good person like that."

Justin laughs, "When you wanna be."

"Shut up" I say throwing him the ball. He shoves the ball back.

"Let's see how good of a friend you are when I beat you."

"You’re on, Timberlake."

~*~*~*~

"Getting a little slow, eh Ole Timer?" Justin grinned before squirting water into his mouth from a nearby waterbottle.

"I'm not that much older than you," I pointed out, rolling my eyes as I dribbled the basketball a bit.

"Old enough that you can't keep up with me," Justin replied.

"On the basketball court no, but on the 'playing field' I'm three steps ahead of you," I replied, tossing the ball towards the basket. It went in with a swish.

"Last I checked I was the one with the girlfriend, not you," Justin said as he picked up the ball that rolled back towards him.

"Details," I said with a wave of my hand. "How are you and Ms. Brit doing anyway?" I asked. He threw the ball at me.

"Great," Justin replied. "I...I really love her, Trace," he added. "But are you in love with her?" I questioned, raising my eyebrows. He shrugged and sighed. "She's awesome man, she knows what I'm going through and I know what she's going through. It's just everything seems too perfect, ya know? I mean, we're dubbed the Couple of Pop." He made a face and I laughed.

"What, you don't like your hollywood status?" I asked with a grin.

"I don't want to be known for dating her," he replied. "That's all."

"Did you talk to her about your decision?" I asked, throwing the ball back at him. He caught it easily and spun it on his finger again.

"Yeah, she says she's behind me whatever decision I make, it's always been like that with us," he admitted. I noticed the hint of fear in his voice.

"It'll be fine, man." Justin nodded.

"Hey J, Trace, come on, we're going to get something to eat and then hit sound check," JC called from the window to his hotel room.

"Okay we're coming." Justin shouts. We head in. "Hey Trace?"

"Yeah J?"

"Do you really think I can do this?"

I smile even though I was bit frustrated by how unsure he was. "I know you can. Dude you’re Justin fuckin’ Timberlake you can totally do this."

He chuckles, "Thanks"

"No problem, what are best bros for?" I smile. "Now lets get some food I'm fucking starving," I say as I rub my stomach and he laughs. We head into the lobby to see the rest of the guys sitting down.

"About time you guys got here!" Joey exclaims. "We were gonna leave without you."

"Well we can go now, I'm starving," Justin says.

"Where are we going?" I ask as we leave the hotel and start walking down the street.

"There's a really good restaurant nearby that we go to because it's somewhat secluded. We can eat in peace without being hounded by fans," Lance explained.

I nodded and shoved my hands into my pockets, looking around while keeping tabs on J's behavior. He was talking to Chris about something that happened back when Nsync started, something about an empty airport and pixi stix. Even though J was talking animatedly his eyes were kinda dull, the sure sign that he was thinking about something else. I sighed a bit and kicked at the ground. I don't get why J's so afraid of telling them about his idea. He's not quitting, he's just exploring some stuff. So why is he acting like it's the end of the world? What happened to the J I grew up with? Did the music business really change him that much?

End Notes:
Hope you guys liked this chapter. Please read and review.
Caught in the Middle by Mack_Attack22

Ever since he made it big with the group, he's changed from the J I use to know. Like this one time we were at this restaurant and we ordered drinks. Well when Justin drank his he didn’t like how it tasted, so he told the waitress he didn't like it and she had to go get another drink for him. She came back and he muttered "About fucking time", which he didn't know I heard him, but I was pissed he was acting like a asshole when all she was doing was her job. I felt so bad for her and I couldn't believe he actually did that to her.

Oh and then there was another time some little girls were outside of the hotel the guys were staying at and Justin ignored them completely and I saw the look on their faces as they watch us walk away. I asked him why did he do that and he told me he had no time. The J I knew would always have time for anyone, no matter what.

I wasn't the only one who noticed the change in his behavior. The others noticed it too, I could tell by the worried looks on their faces. I could tell they were itching to talk to Justin about his sudden change in his behavior but he avoided it like the plague, giving an excuse to leave in the middle of their conversation.

JC was taking it the hardest out of all of them, which really didn't surprise me. After me, Justin said JC was his best friend; they talked about anything and everything. JC grew used to Justin constantly going to him for advice or just to talk, but now that Justin was ignoring him and the band he knew, deep down, that Justin's mind was on something else.

"He's just not focused," JC said as he paced the large stage, squeezing the water bottle in his hand so tight his knuckles turned white. "He won't even show up on time to sound check and he's the one who made the most mistakes yesterday."

"Maybe he's getting sick," Joey suggested. "I'll bet that's it. He loves *NSYNC, there would have to be a good reason for him to lose his focus like that." Joey Fatone, always the optimist.  Even I couldn't miss the hint of uncertainty in his voice as he tried to keep up his front.

"We don't need him yet, why don't we try out “The Game is Over” while we wait? No blocking, just singing." Joey smiled when JC nodded.

"Better than waiting for his sorry ass," JC muttered under his breath.

"Trace, could you try and find him?" Lance asked softly. "Before JC blows a blood vessel or something."

I nodded and lightly slapped his arm. "I'll bring J in." Lance nodded and I walked quickly out of the room, pulling my cell phone out of my pocket and pressing 3 on my speed dial.

 "What?" Justin snapped on the other end.

"Justin! You were supposed to be here an hour ago! They're waiting on you for sound check!" I heard him groan as if he had just looked at the clock.

"Oh man. Look, can you stall 'em while I get there?"

"I don't know-" I started.

"Trace, please!"

"Ok, ok. Just get your ass here."

"Thanks man, I owe you one."

I let out a sigh and put my phone in my pocket. He wants me to stall them and as upset I am at him right now, I'm gonna save his ass this time. But he better not do this diva shit again! I go back to where the guys were waiting.

"So is he on his way?" JC asked.

"Yeah, but the car had a flat tire so they had to go and fix it," I tell them as they looked at me.

"Oh okay, well we'll just have to start without him then," Joey says and a huge relief goes through me. Justin so owes me his life now. They start to sing as I watch them; I can't feel but nervous for Justin for when he has to tell them his news. I hope to god they will understand how much he wants this. They all know he has the drive to make it in the music industry, so they shouldn't be surprised he wants to do the solo thing. Right as the finished "Pop" the door opens. While the others muttered something like "It's about time you got here" JC stayed quiet, keeping his eyes on Justin as he slowly paced the stage.

"Sorry guys, I overslept," Justin said as he rubbed his head.

"While he waited for the car to get fixed," I quickly added. Lance, Joey, and Chris nodded while Justin gave me a confused look. I stared hard at him and squinted a bit, letting him know to play along. Justin nodded and smiled a little before turning to the guys, mainly JC.

 "So, um, can we finish sound check? I know it's practically over but..." he let his voice trail off as JC stopped walking and crossed his arms over his chest. Justin looked up at his friend and bit his lip, waiting for his reaction. This had to be the first time I've ever really seen Justin when he was afraid, aside from when he got in trouble with Ms. Lynn when we were younger. It made me so nervous I couldn't even look at him.

"Yeah," JC finally decided, turning his head away from the young boy. "But if you make a mistake-"

"I won't," Justin interrupted. He practically lived to please JC. I swear it was an unhealthy habit.

They all finished practice and started to head out. I noticed Justin didn't move.

"You comin’ J?" Joey asked as he saw Justin standing there still.

"You know what, I gonna practice some more since I missed most of soundcheck. Gotta make sure it’s perfect." All the guys knew he was a perfectionist, so it wouldn’t be strange for him to stay back, but I knew it was something else.

"Alright, just remember we leave for the hotel in an hour."

"I'll stay with him," I say as I approach them.

"Okay see you guys later."

We nod our heads and watch him leave. As soon as the door shuts I spoke, "What the hell Justin?" I say in outrage.

"What?" he says innocently as he started to stretch his arms.

"You made me lie to them. Where were you?" He sighs and closes his eyes,

"Trace."

"Don't Trace me J, where the hell where you?" I demanded.

"I was in a meeting with some producers okay!!" he spat. "For my album" he says lowly not making eye contact. I was surprised at his confession, I knew he wanted to do an album, but I didn't know he was planning it already.

“So you’re really gonna do it huh?"

"Yeah I guess I am" he says nervously running his neck. "I thought about what you said and you were right, I should do what I think is right" he looks up at me.

I smile, "I'm proud of you J"

He smiles, "Thanks man. You’re a good friend you know that"

I chuckle, "I am the best there is" He laughs. We sit down on the edge of the stage. "So who are the producers?" I ask.

"You know that group 'The Neptunes' "

"Yeah, their shit is off the hook."

"I know, so I just had a meeting with them and they said they'd be glad to produce my album."

“Wow J, that's great. Your album is definitely gonna be the shit of the decade"

He makes a face. "Woah let’s not get ahead if ourselves here, I still gotta long way to go still" he laughs.

I laugh as well, "Sorry I got excited"

"I'm excited too," Justin admitted. "I even have a few songs that I wrote that I’d like to try to get on the album," he continued, jumping off of the stage and landing next to me. He frowned a bit. "I don't like that I'm only sharing my excitement with you," he mumbled.

"It's your choice J," I pointed out.

"I know, I know," he said in a dismissive tone.

As we headed back to the hotel Justin shuffled by my side, keeping his eyes to the ground. He suddenly lifted his head and spoke. "Things are getting crazy," he stated. "I don't have time to do anything normal anymore. Hell, I barely have time to catch my momma when she's calling." I nodded but was suspicious. What does any of this have to do with me? "So, I was hoping maybe you'd like to help me out?" Justin asked, looking at me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, you could direct any calls I get and help me get some shoes so I don't get mobbed and stuff."

"You want me to do your shopping?" I demanded, stopping in the middle of the sidewalk. He stopped and looked back at me. Doing his personal work? That's where I draw the line.

"No, I mean be my personal assistant. I could really use the help. I swear I'm going to go crazy trying to balance everything. And we can spend a lot of time together 'cause you'd have to travel with me."

Hmm… he's making a good point. As much as I love school (NOT) his offer sounds tempting. I mean getting to travel with my best friend all over the world sounds better than school any day. The only thing is that I have to break the news to my momma and daddy, who pushed me to go to college in the first place. But they'll get over it eventually…I hope. I look at him, "I'll do it, just one question."

"What's that man?"

"I do get paid for this right?"

He chuckles, "Yes Trace you will get paid."

"Great, guess you can call me your assistant now." I smile.

"Thanks man.” He sighs. “I really need the help but I'm telling you now, it's not gonna be fun all the time, you actually have to do work."

"J, you can count on me. I won't let you down boss," I say with an assuring smile.

"You better not because if you do your ass is fired you hear me Ayala?"

"Got it" I nod. We go backstage to join the rest of the group.

"Wow, I still can't believe it was your idea to wear this getup," I commented when I looked at the 'punk' styled clothing that JC was wearing.

"I like what I'm wearing," he said in a defensive tone as he looked down at the green outfit.

"I always thought he was the more...eccentric one," I muttered under my breath as I passed Justin. He chuckled a bit and pulled a shoe on.

"Oh, guys," he spoke up. "I hired Trace as my personal assistant so he's going to finish up the tour with us." Joey and Lance shared a look while JC remained silent. Chris was the only one who was smiling. Did I do something to them? I always thought we were on pretty good terms.

"Cool, does that mean I can send him out to get me anything I want?" Chris asked.

"Chris, I said he was MY personal assistant. If you want a slave, ask JC," Justin said in a teasing tone as he grinned at the mentioned boy.

"Nah, I'd rather have Joey. JC's too vocal with his thoughts," Chris said with a wave of his hand. JC smiled a bit as he shook his head and chuckled. I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding and laughed along with everyone else.

As Joey, Chris, Lance, and Justin went around teasing each other JC pulled me aside. "Hey man, do you think you could do me a favor?" He asked.

"Sure. What's up?"

"It's J," he replied after a few seconds of silence. "I feel like there's something wrong with him. Well, not wrong, but there's something on his mind that's messing with his focus. I try to get it out of him but he keeps changing the subject. I was hoping you could get something out of him? Just to make me rest my mind. I'm kidna worried."

I could feel my lip twitching a bit. Man, karma was a bitch. Wait, was this even karma? This is what I get for not paying attention in school. "Sure man, I'll tell you anything I find out," I replied.

As he walks away I just stand there. Shit now what am I gonna do? I can't tell anyone about whets going on especially JC now, that’s up to Justin to do that.

"Trace!!" I hear Justin yell. I go over to him on the other side of the room,

"Yeah J?"

"Can you go get me a water bottle?" he asks as he looks at his wardrobe.

"Can't you get it yourself?" I ask.

He chuckles, "I'm busy Trace, that's why I hired you remember. To help me out.”

He's right, well I better get used to this. "Okay." I nod.

"Thanks man."

I walk out to the catering table to find water. I find it and head back as I near the corner I could hear Lance and Joey talking and stopped.

"You know what's going on with J lately?" Joey asked.

"Have no idea man, he’s not definitely acting like himself," Lace says. Shit this isn't good. "Maybe he and Brit are going through something."

"Yeah maybe, he has seemed a bit more cranky than usual," Joey suggests.

Lance chuckles, "Definitely."

Whew that was close. They head in and I let out a sigh. They all know something’s going on, well except for Chris but JC, Joey and Lance are good enough. I have to tell Justin about this.

"Ok guys, ten minutes until show," a stagehand called from the hallway.

"J, hold on a second," I said to him as the other guys left the room.

"What's up?" He asked, a grin on his face, the grin that always came onto his face when he was about to do something he loved, something that gave him energy. It was the same smile that always stopped me from being able to tell him something important, like now. He sure knew how to work that smile.

Uhhh...just have a good show, man," I replied, forcing a smile. It was obvious that J didn't catch it because he grinned, slapped my arm lightly and said,

"Thanks. See you when it's over," and rushed out of the room.

I grabbed my head when I felt a headache coming on. Searching around the room I spotted a bottle of beer sitting on top of a cooler. No doubt Joey's. The guys don't get hammered before a show but Joey likes to take little sips, but not enough to mess up the energy he needs. I grabbed the unopened bottle, pried off the top, and took a long gulp, letting out a satisfied breath when I felt the drink slide down my throat.

This was going to be a long night.

End Notes:
Trace is in quite a predicament. Please read and review!
Headaches and Dreams by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
Ok, Mel, I finally got the chapter up. Hope this makes your day better!

I just spent half of the time pacing back and forth thinking what I was going to tell him. I walked to the back of the stage and watched from the side. They guys were definitely hot tonight and the energy from the crowd was insane. I still don't get how they all can handle this kind of madness. I mean yeah I'd love to have a stadium full of girls scream for me, but I've seen the way they act around them, literally going crazy and doing some crazy shit to get to them. I remember one time one girl climbed up the wall of a hotel where the guys were staying at and actually made it up to one of their rooms through the window and hid until they got there.

Justin freaked out and called security and this girl went on and on about she knew they were perfect for one another and she wanted his babies. Security rushed in and took the girl away, but not before attacking Justin with a kiss and then they finally pulled her away. J, was so freaked out that he had to have double the security that week just to make sure it didn't happen again. I hear shouts from the crowd that send me out of my thoughts and see the guys head backstage. My panic kicks in again, I have to tell him no matter what.

"What's wrong with you? You look like a ruminant in the cross beams of a large truck," Lance commented. The guys stopped what they were doing and looked at him. "A deer in headlights," he corrected himself, dully. I smiled a bit as he shook his head, muttering something about them needing to build their vocabulary.

"I, uh, I feel a little sick, that's all," I replied, holding my stomach. That wasn't a complete lie, my stomach twisted every time I caught a glance that JC threw at me. "I'll be fine in a bit." The guys rushed to grab their things and get on the bus to take us to the next city, New York I think was where we were going to next.

Justin was excited because they were going to meet up with Britney, which meant I could spend a day away from him and try to figure out how to tell him that the others were suspicious. Geeze, I didn't think becoming J's PA would come with a bunch of problems all ready. I mean, the most I thought I would be doing would be transporting all 450 pairs of J's shoes but this was ridiculous!

"You have some grip on that bottle," JC noted as we walked as fast as we could to get to the bus and leave.

"Couldn't leave it behind. A fan could think that it's one of yours and sell it on ebay or something ridiculous like that," I said with a little laugh. JC must've thought the idea was logical because he left me alone after that. The guys were going to kill me with paranoia if not physically. We made it to the bus to go to the next city and I just sat there still trying to figure out how I was going to tell J that the guys know something’s going on.

"Trace, are you okay?" Joey asks as he sat at the table eating.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine. Why?"

"You look nervous."

I chuckle, "What? What makes you say that?"

"You've been tapping your foot for the past ten minutes," he laughs.

Had I? I didn't even know I was and it's giving me away. I do tap my foot when I'm nervous, it's just a habit I have and I gotta stop. "I'm just nervous about telling my parents about dropping out of school and working for Justin that's all."

He chuckles, "I gottcha, but they'll get over it eventually."

"Yeah I hope so"

"They will, well, they should," Joey continued. "Your parents should support you no matter what you do. Besides, you're an adult and you can make your own decision whether they like it or not."

I sighed and leaned back a bit, running my hand through my hair. "Good point," I mumbled.

Joey grinned. "You can talk to any of us if things get a little crazy, all right man?"

"All right." He lightly hit my arm and walked to the back lounge where Chris and JC were yelling about some video game.

"Why did this have to happen to me?" I groan, rubbing my temples when I felt a headache coming on. I checked the fridge for any beer, grabbed one, and dropped down on the couch, flipping through channels, not really paying attention to what was on it 'cause I was making a list for myself.

TRACE'S TO-DO LIST:

1) Tell Justin that they suspect something is going on

2) Give JC some information about why Justin is acting weird

3) Tell my parents I'm dropping out of college

4) Stop playing messenger for other people (aka stop being someone's bitch)

I felt some sit next to and opened my eyes to see Justin.

"Man you okay?" he asked looking at me.

"Yeah, just thinking about some stuff," I sigh.

"Ah, I see. You still trying to figure out how you’re gonna tell them huh?"

"Yeah" I sigh. And the fact that i have to tell you they know I thought. "It'll all be fine, your parents will be so happy you actually got a real job," he smiles as he puts an arm around me.

I roll my eyes, "You’re funny.”

He laughs, "What can I say, I am." He grins. I push him and we both laugh. I guess I'll tell him tomorrow. "So are you dating some chick or what?" He asked so suddenly I almost choke.

"What?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. That seriously came out of nowhere.

"It's been a while since you mentioned dating someone so I asked. Are you dating someone from home? College? or do you swing the other way and you never told me? I'll still be your friend, man," he rambled.

I continued to look at him as if he were crazy. "What would make you suddenly ask me that?"

He shrugged. "You don't seem happy. I mean, you're with ME you should be ecstatic."

"Have you always been this cocky?" I questioned.

He smiled. "They don't call me TrouserSnake for nothing."

I couldn't help but laugh. "That's not what I meant you freak," I mumbled once I was done laughing.

"I know," Justin replied.

"And there is this girl at college I talk to. She's a photography major and she's cool..." I sighed. "I don't know, I kinda feel like the only reason she's talking to me is because I’m friends with you, ya know?" Justin stayed silent but nodded. "I...I don't want to feel this way but I can't help it."

Justin nodded again. "Sorry you feel that way, man," was all he could think of saying.

"So what's this girl’s name?" Justin asked.

"Taylor," I reply.

"Is she hot?"

"Oh yeah, other than workin’ behind the camera lens she works in front of it." I grin.

"Oh a model," he said in a french accent.

I laugh. "Yeah but I know she wouldn't be interested in me because well I'm not you."

"Man don't cut yourself short. You’re a great guy and any girl would kill to have you and if that girl is just using you to get to me than she doesn't have to even consider you as a friend."

I smile, "Thanks man."

"You know I'm here for you anytime you need me," he smiles.

I really miss having J around. He always gave me the best advice and tips to get the girls. It doesn’t hurt that he happens to be Justin Timberlake and every time we go out he attracts all the girls and I can talk my pick of anyone of them. "I know. It just gets to me sometimes,” I continued. "Not knowing if a girl is into me because of me or because she knows I'm your friend. Like, I stress out wondering if she's fake or not and then I ended up driving the chick away in most cases."

"Don't let me be the reason your love life sucks,’ Justin chuckled. "I can't help that the media likes keeping me in the spotlight, you know that." I shrugged and nodded. "You're making me feel like the bad guy here."

“No way man.” I shook my head. "Far from it. I'm just saying that the dating scene is harder for me, that's all.”

"Really?" Justin raised his eyebrows. "Trace, while we were in Europe there were plenty of fine hunnies that I would've loved to meet and get a chance of dating but I couldn't. Why? Because Lou kept us locked up like we were in church or something. You had a normal dating childhood, I didn't. It's harder for me to date because I don't know how to trust people. That's why I'm with B, we've been with each other for so long that I trust her and know she won't ever hurt me or use me for money."

I nod. Him and Brit are the happiest I've seen them. It made me sick to my stomach to see them together. They are the perfect couple, something I wish I could be part of one day when I find the right girl of course. "You guys are the perfect couple," I voice my thoughts.

He grins, "Man we're far from perfect. No two people in a relationship can be perfect especially in this business."

"Well that’s true, but I meant like you guys know how to balance your careers and your lives. I could never be able to do that." I laugh.

"You'll learn," he replied, lightly hitting my knee. "I'm gonna hit the sack before C comes in here and acts all fatherly. You should too. It's going to be a long day tomorrow. Radio interviews and photoshoots take up the time before sound check and the show as well as a meet and greet." Justin grinned. "I'm going to have you running aorund like a little puppy."

I rolled my eyes. "What a great friend," I muttered sarcastically. "Night man." Justin held out his hand and I slapped it.

"Nite,” he replied before moving back to the bunk area. I glanced out the window and strained to see through the dark but all I saw were cars and a long stretch of highway. That's what I felt like sometimes, rushing into the unknown not knowing where i was going to go and how i was going to end up.

* * *

"Trace wake up."

I groan, "No Momma 5 more minutes." I hear the curtain open.

"Man I'm not your momma get your ass up, we gotta go in 15 minutes!" Justin barks.

I groan again and turn my body to get out of the bunk. Justin's stands there with a coffee mug sipping in it. I stretch out and yawn, "What time is it?"

"7:30, now get dressed. The guys are waiting for us and we have a lotta shit to do."

"Yes sir" I say and salute him.

"Don't be a jackass," he tells me shaking his head. Ugh why did I decide to do this? It's too early; at least when I was in school I didn't have to get up til 10. But Justin is my friend and hell I'm getting paid to travel with him, so why am I complaining, fuck school. I get dressed and follow Justin to meet the guys.

"Did you ever tell your dad about you dropping out?' Justin asked casually as he lifted the hood on his hoodie and shoved his hands into his pockets.

"Not yet. I don't want to have to pay for his hospital bill yet," I replied.

He chuckled a bit. "Yeah, he's sure to blow a blood vessel," he agreed laughing a bit before the smile dropped from his face altogether. "Why's he such a hard-ass anyway?"

I shrugged. "He was raised in a way that he thinks you have to focus on one thing and eliminate everything else until you get it,” I replied. "He just doesn't understand that I'm not going to have my mind made up when I'm twenty. I don't get it. He and I used to be so close and now..." I let my voice trail off. I didn't want to think about it.

I knew it would be better to tell Mom instead of Dad about my decision. She'd understand and she would be able to relay the message, I hope. We made it into the building of the radio station without much harm. Lance's sleeve got ripped when a fan wouldn't let go of his arm but that was about it. When they got on their air I watched Justin carefully. He joked and laughed like usual but he let JC do most of the talking, probably to try and shed the image that he was the only leader of the band. They were all leaders in their own way; they each had their own special talents. It wasn't fair that Justin was the one who was thrust into the spotlight.

After they were done with the radio show, they had some magazine interviews a photo shoot and a meet and greet with some contest winners. Justin wasn't kidding when he said I'd be running around like a little puppy. My feet hurt and my head was spinning from running back and forth getting things for Justin. I now have respect for all assistants who have been doing this longer than I have. Around 1 they finally finish.

"Alright guys lets go have some lunch before we head to the arena," Lonnie announces. Thank god, I'm fucking starving. We head out and as soon as we opened the doors the shrill of screaming girls and flashbulbs start. This definitely not helping my headache at all. Lonnie and Rob get in front of us and they clear the way as arms are attacking us trying to reach one of the guys. I swear one of them ripped my shirt and another knocked my cap off my head. I didn't even care to go back and get it; I just wanted to get out of there.

"Here's your hat," Justin said as he held it out to me as soon as we got into the van that was waiting for us.

"Hold on, I think I'm blind," I replied, rubbing my eyes. Those fucking flashes from their fucking cameras were fucking bright. As soon as I could see again I grabbed the hat and looked at it. "Fuck, no! There's a fucking footprint on my fucking hat!" I snarled studying my crushed hat. "Man, your fucking fans are fucking crazy!" I looked up when the others stopped talking and looked at me. "What?" I snapped.

"Nothing," they mumbled their reply and went back to a conversation about how Joey saw this hot chick that he wished he had talked to.

"What's goin' on man?" Justin asked, nudging my side.

"Nothing, man, I just have a headache," I replied clutching my hat in my fists.

"Oh. Well, I'm sure food will help. And you can rest in our dressing room during our show."

"Yeah, if the pounding beats and the screaming doesn't get to me,” I muttered.

“We have a quiet room," Justin pointed out smiling a little. "Everything will be fine.” If I’m getting this headache from what I think I’m getting it then everything won't be fine.

We finished lunch and headed to the venue. While the guys did sound check I decided to take an Advil and lay down in the quiet room.

"Trace," I hear and I groan. Great what does he want now? I turn my head and prop up on my elbows,

"What the fuck do you want do you want now?" I rub my eyes to see it wasn't Justin but it was Taylor the girl from school that I liked. "Holy shit," was all I could say.

She giggles and gets closer to me, "You’re too cute." she smiles.

"Tay-Taylor how'd you get here?" I stutter still surprised.

She laughs again, "Justin invited me, he said he wanted us to hang out." My face sinks I knew it was too good to be true, she’s here for him,

"Oh so your here for Justin."

"Well yes and no, I mean when Justin Timberlake calls you to hang out you have to say yes," she laughs and I lower my head. "But he also told me that you really like me and I might've said I feel the same."

My head went up and I couldn't help but smile, "Re-really?"

She smiles, "Yeah, I really like you too Trace." I get closer to her and our lips meet.

Yes!

I suddenly feel something hit me.

"Trace."

What the fuck? I open my eyes to see it was all a dream, a fuckin dream. "What the fuck man?" I say as I prop myself on my elbows to see Justin laughing.  

"Finally I got you up, you’re like a fucking rock."

"Well sorry I'm not feeling well." He chuckles. I swing my legs to get up and get a bottle of water. I take swig, "So you guys done already?" I ask as I sit down.

"Uh, no, we haven't even started yet," Justin replied.

"Just wanted to make sure things were ok with you."

I stared at him. "You woke me up for that?"

"Hey, I had to check, man. You've been acting funny lately."

"I just..." I let my voice trail off. 'i was thinking about Taylor, that's all," I replied. It wasn't a total lie, I have been thinking about her lately and it was the best i could come up with on such short notice.

“You can bring her out here if you want."

"With Joey around? No thank you."

"He's with Kelly, you know that."

“Yeah, but Chris is worse. He’s an old man and he's alone."

"I heard that, Shorty!" Chris yelled from somewhere on the other side of the door.

"I don't think she'd be able to deal with this hectic pace. Just calling her is fine, it adds more to the imagination if you know what I mean." Justin laughed as I wiggled my eyebrows.

"Like I said man, if you get lonely we can easily fly her out here."

"Thanks man, I appreciate it."

He pats my shoulder, "No problem, we're boys remember? We help each other out, especially when it comes to getting laid," he laughs and he starts heading toward the door.

"Shut the fuck up man," I say as I throw a pillow.

"Hey!!" he shouts as it hits him. “Why were you saying her name when you were sleepin'?"

Was I really talking in my sleep? Shit. "What? I was not."

"Dude I heard you, you were so having a wet dream," he laughs.

"Fuck you man."

"Hey its totally okay man I get it, you’re lonely and get horny nothing to be ashamed about. You can totally take up my offer to bring her here." He smiles.

"Well thanks man," I smile back. "Just warn me when you have your ‘alone time’ okay?" He smirks.

I throw another pillow at him and he starts running and laughing.

End Notes:
Awww, Justy and Trace are such awesome friends. I love 'em to death. Please read and review.
Phone Calls and CFTC by Mack_Attack22

"Trace, buddy, wake up." The next thing I knew I was being jostled around as Justin continued yelling in my ear. I grabbed my pillow and forced it down over my head to try and block him out. He just yanked it out of my hands and beat me over the head with it until I sat up and glared at him.

"What?" I demanded, pushing myself into a kneeling position, well as much as I could in the bunk area.

Get yer ass outta bed. We gotta talk about CFTC." Justin slapped the side of my bunk before pulling the curtains closed. I rubbed my eye.

CFTC, Challenge for the Children for those of you who don't know. This year would be their third time hosting it and from what I've heard and the pictures I've seen it looks like a lot of fun and they're always able to donate a lot of money to different charities. I forced myself to wake up and slid out of my bunk. I was too tired to put any pants over my boxers and shuffled to the front of the bus where the others were spread around.

"Take note, we need to write down the people we want to ask to play," Justin said as he shoved paper and a pen into my hands as soon as i sat down on the couch.

"Mhm," I mumbled sleepily.

"We have to bring Brit back," Justin started. None of them challenged his decision. "We have to ask Christina if she can play, too."

"Can we bring in Beverly? She's been wondering when we'd have another game," Lance spoke up.

"Don't forget about..."

I tuned them out only paying close enough attention to jot down people's names, knowing that I'd have to call them soon and get a definite yes or a no. "Ok, any ticket reservations?" I asked after turning to a blank page and holding my pen ready in case they shouted out names again. After they shouted out names, my hand was cramping from all the writing I did. The list was huge, this was definitely going to be the event of the year. Now I have to make all kinds of phone calls and get started looking at sponsors and venues for the after party. Later that afternoon I start making some phone calls and luckily half the people on the list said they would do it, which made my job way easier. I hear a knock. "Yeah" I call out as I turn away from the phone talking to Brian Mcknight’s publicist. I see Justin get in and lay next to me while I'm sitting Indian style on my bed. "Okay, yeah on Saturday the 25...yeah I'll tell them, thank you and tell him the guys will see him then...alright bye." I hang up the phone and sigh. I turn to Justin, "Brian Mcknight is official."

Justin chuckles, "That man never does disappoint when it comes to wanting to beat me". I laugh. "So what we got so far?"

I look at my list, "Well let’s see...Brian, Shannon, Don, Christina, Usher, Beverly...." I go on with my list and Justin nods. "That's it so far," I sigh as I put my pen behind my ear.

"Wow Trace that's pretty impressive man, great job."

"Thanks it wasn't easy, do you know how many people I had to get through to answer?" I laugh.

"Yeah, it gets complicated, but you’re doing better than I thought you would," he chuckles.

"Hey!" I exclaim.

"Not that I never thought you couldn’t, it’s just that the last assistants I had broke under pressure and couldn't take it," he laughs.

"Well there not me I never disappoint." I grin.

"The fact that the only thing they were expecting was to get into J's pants didn't help much either," Chris commented as he walked by. I looked at Justin and he smiled sheepishly.

"I can't help that most of my assistants were fine," he shrugged. I grabbed my pillow and lightly hit him in the face. He chuckled and grabbed the pillow before letting out a slow breath through his nose. "Thank you," he said suddenly. I looked up from my clipboard.

"For what?" I asked.

"For sticking with me. When MMC got canceled, when I first joined Nsync, through our financial troubles, when we broke a record. You helped me keep my head leveled and you never gave up on me and I thank you for that." I merely shrugged. "No really, man. You're-"

"Although I know it do NOT say I'm the best again. You’re starting to get on my nerves." He smiled. “Not get out of here so I can finish calling all of these people since you all just HAD to invite everyone on the fucking planet," I grumbled.

"You can take two of those names off of that list. JC and Lance are calling their girlfriends themselves."

"That makes my job slightly easier," I muttered, scratching off their names.

"Are they playing or watching?"

"Why would they play?" Justin question.

I shrugged. "You could get them anywhere they want to go, I was just asking."

"Alright man, well I'll leave you to it,” he smiles. He leaves and I dial another number. After two hours more on the phone I'm finally done with the list, which only leaves everything else I have to do before then.

God help me.

I go meet up with the guys inside where they have soundcheck. I watch them for a bit before they call for a break. I head up to the stage, "Looking good guys," I say.

"Thanks we try." JC laughs.

"So how it'd go?" Justin asked.

"Great, looks like everyone you guys wanted will be there." I smile.

"Awesome, Trace you are the man!" Joey says.

"What can I say I never disappoint." I shrug.

Justin puts an arm around me, "See now this is why your my friend, I knew I could count on you.”

"Thanks man, but I'm not done yet I still have a lot of shit to do before then."

"You'll be fine," Lance assures me.

Now I'm feeling the pressure, I can't let them down now. "Well, I gotta check on some other stuff. Don't strain your voices or anything," I said as I turned to leave the big open area. As soon as I got into a hallway. I whipped out my phone and pressed a speed-dial number.

"Hello?"

"Hey Momma," I greeted her, taking off my cap and running a hand through my hair.

"Juan! How are you doing? How's Justin? Are you having fun?" She asked.

"I'm great, Momma. Justin's fine. The tour's fun." I sighed. "Momma, there's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?" She asked, worry creeping into her voice. "Did you get a girl pregnant?"

"What? No!" I cried out. Geeze, what is with people automatically assuming that I got someone pregnant? Geeze? I like chicks but I wouldn't be stupid enough to get one pregnant. I wouldn't want to be attached when I didn't have to. "No, it's something else."

'What is it honey?" I sighed again.

"Momma, I...I'm not going back to school." I bit my lip as I waited for her to say something.

"What do you mean, son?"

"Justin...he's having a bit of trouble with something and he needs me with him. He even hired me as his personal assistant so we can work together and this is the only way I can help him."

"But Trace-"

"Ma, I've all ready made up my mind." I sighed again.

"Can you...can you tell dad for me?"

"You should tell him yourself."

"He wouldn't understand, Ma. He just wouldn't."

There was a pause and I bite my lip waiting for her to respond. She sighs, "Alright"

Yes!

"But I'll only mention it to him."

Shit.

"But Ma--"

"No buts, you have to explain this to him, let him know you want to do this."

I close my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose and sigh, "I guess your right."

"Look sweetheart me and your dad love you and we will support you in anything you do no matter what."

I smile, "Thanks momma, I love you too."

"Anything for you Juanito."

I groaned as I heard my nickname, "Momma" I whined.

She giggles, "Oh now you don't like your nickname, you've had it since you were little."

"Yeah Ma I know but I'm grown now."

"Right you have grown up into a wonderful man, I'm so proud of you!" I can hear her voice crack, she's crying.

“Aww momma don't cry, I like my nickname, just don't cry."

She sniffles and laughs, "I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't." She laughs again, "Okay I'll stop, so how is you new job?"

"It's great, but I have to do all this running around and get things for Justin that I have blisters.”

"Well you’re a hardworker, you can handle this."

"Trace come on!" I turn my head to see Justin. I turn my head away from the phone, "Alright, I'm coming," I shout back. I turn back to the phone, "Momma I gotta go, I'll call you soon."

"Okay mijo bye and be careful and tell the guys I said hello."

"Sure I will Momma love you."

"Love you too, Juanito."

"Bye," I hang up the phone and head to where the guys were.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's time to head in for another sound check," Lance replied, standing and stretching. I nodded and followed them. They immediately navigated their way to the stage as i went to the backstage area in search for something to eat or drink.

"God, is this the only thing they have?" I asked Mike who followed me into the lounge area. The guys had at least one of their bodyguards with me because the fans were beginning to recognize me as J's friend and they said that I need as much protection as I can get, which was true.

"They don't really drink anything besides water and some fruit juice," Mike replied.

No soda either? Man!" I closed the door to the mini fridge. "I need something stronger than fruit juice."

"I can run out and get you something if you want it so bad," Mike said with a chuckle. "Besides, Justin's probably going to run you like a dog so its best if you stay here anyway."

"Ok, get me a root beer or a normal beer, whichever one you pass first," I replied. Mike raised his eyebrows. "What?" I demanded.

"Don't you think it's a little too early for beer?" he questioned.

"With Justin making me run around, I'm going to need it."

He shrugged, "Alright man, if you say so."

"Thanks Mike" I smile. I start making some more calls for sponsors for the game. "Yes it's for *Nsync's Challenge for the Children basket ball game...it has raised over 2 million dollars to help children hospitals all over the country and we are hoping to raise more this year with your help and not to mention the advertising of all the celebrities wearing your gear...You'll really?...Thank you so much sir it means so much you will help us...Is that right?” I laugh. “...Of course I can...once again thank you, you have a good day sir...bye" I hang up the phone and sigh.

I am on a roll.

I feel a pat on my shoulder and turn to see Justin, "Hey man."

"Hey J." I say as I write down in my notebook. He goes over to the refrigerator takes out a bottle of water.

"I see your hard at work," he says before taking a swig of his water and laying on the couch and lets out a sigh.

"Yeah, I just got off the phone with a sponsor and your welcome.”

"No shit whoddya get?"

"Nike."

"Nike as in the shoes?"

I can’t help but laugh at his expression, "Yes that Nike."

"How did you manage to get them?"

"Well I just explained to a representative that CFTC has raised a lot of money for children hospitals and all the advertising they’d get and it didn't hurt that his daughter is a fan too, so I told him we'd fly her out here to watch the game."

Justin smiles, "You my man are awesome, good work.”

"I am a genius."

Justin laughs, "I'm not calling you that."

"You know I'm a genius, you just won't admit it." I smirk.

"If your head is going to get big I'm not admitting nothing," Justin replied, chuckling. "Hey, do we get to keep the shoes?"

I shrugged. "What’s it matter anyway? You probably own every shoe they've come out with and then some."

"Hey, it's free shoes. Emphasis on the FREE part," he pointed out.

"Justin, people are throwing free things at you all of the time. I'm surprised you even ask what's free and what's not. Hell, i'm surprised you haven't turned into a material boy."

The smile faded from Justin's face. "Don't even joke about that, man! You know I'm not like that."

I held up my hands. "Ok, geeze, I was just kidding. No need to bust a blood vessel."

Justin grunted. "I could easily say the same about you and your drinking."

I frowned. "What's wrong with my drinking? I know when I've hit my limits."

"Not that." Justin shook his head. "It seems to me that every time you get a headache beer is your choice of a painkiller. You're worrying me, is everything ok? Do you need to talk about something?" Justin's blue eyes bore into my face as I scoffed.

"It's not every time I get a headache and I don't have a problem," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Ok." I could tell by his tone that he wasn't thoroughly convinced but as long as he didn't ask me about it anymore I was fine.

After a few more hours of soundcheck we head back to the hotel to relax before going to the concert. I head up to my room when my phone goes off. "Hello?"

"Hey is this Trace?" A female voice asked.

"Yeah this is him, who is this?"

"It's Taylor James, we have a class together." I cannot believe this, is this another dream? "Hello?" she asks and I snap out of my trance.

"Oh yeah h-hi Taylor, how are you?"

"I'm good and yourself?"

"I'm doing pretty good, I notice you haven’t been in class lately."

"Oh uh yeah, some things have come up so..."

"Well class isn't the same without you."

"Re-really?” I squeaked as I tried to clear my throat.

She giggled, "Yeah."

"Can I ask how you got my number?"

"Oh um, Brett gave it to me." Brett is one of my good buddies at school and now he is my savor.

"Oh."

"Is that okay that I called?" she asked hesitantly.

It's more than okay. "Yeah definitely."

"Okay good 'cause I was kinda nervous you didn't want to talk to me."

 "What? why'd you think that?"

"Well you've kinda been ignoring me lately.”

Okay so maybe I have but it's only because I wanna make sure I don't act like an idiot around her. "I'm sorry, I just I don't know--I don't want to act like an idiot around you." I blushed at my confession.

She giggles, "Aww Trace you are too cute."

"You really think I'm cute?"

"Yeah and I was hoping that maybe you'd like to you know.. hang out sometime?"

I made a face. "Ummm, I'd like to, really i do, but it'll be kinda hard to do that," I said as I ran a hand through my hair.

"Oh? Why?"

Good, she sounded more curious than angry. "Well, I'm kinda out of the state right now," I replied.

"Really? Well, that explains why I haven’t seen you around a bit. We can hang out when you get back."

"Well, um, that's the thing, i'm not coming back," I admitted. "I mean I will eventually, but I've dropped out."

"Trace, why?"

Whoa, was she really that concerned about me? And here I thought she didn't know I existed. "I'm..." I couldn't tell her about Justin, not yet. I know she's a huge Nsync fan. "I'm helping out a friend. He really needs me right now and I can't bail on him."

"Don't worry I get it. Maybe some other time."  I

 gotta stop her from hanging up. "Uhhhh, wait!"

"Yeah?"

"Um, can we hang out if I get you tickets to an Nsync show?" It was silent on the other end. "Taylor? Are you still there?'

"Yeah, I'm still here," she replied. "Can you really get me tickets to a show?'

"Yeah, I can. I know some people who know some people who know some people." "

Oh my gosh, Trace you're the best!"

"I try," I laughed. "I'll call you back once i get the tickets, ok?"

"Ok, bye."

"Bye."

I hang up the phone and grin like fool, I can't believe this, the girl that I want actually likes me. Me! Now I just gotta handle her knowing I'm helping out Justin without her freaking out. I hear a knock at my door, "Yeah?" I call out. The door opens and I see Justin peek his head in, his eyes are closed, "Are you descent?"

 I roll my eyes, "Shut the fuck up and come in." I laugh.

"I'm just checkin, don't wanna come in and see something I don't wanna see." He sits next to me on the couch.

"Fuck you dude."

He looks at me, "Well we sure look happy" he points out.

"What makes you say that?"

"You’re grinning, wait did you just...."

"No you perv!" I say as I smack him in the arm.

 "Ow..lighten up, I was just kidding." he says rubbing his arm.

"You deserved it.”

"So why you grinin'?"

"God your nosey!" I roll my eyes and sigh. "I just got off the phone with someone."

"Who?" he says curiously and I start to smile. His face changed, "No way, she called you?" I nod. "Man that’s great, what she say?"

"She asked me why I wasn't at school and she missed seeing me." I grin leaning back.

"Oh reeaally" he says arching an eyebrow.

"Yeah and she said she wanted to know if we could hang out."

"What'd you tell her?"

"That I was helping a friend out so I couldn't"

"What? dude why'd you say that?" he says outraged. "This is your chance and you just blew it..."

I laugh, "Woah, J, calm down, I was going to ask you if you could help me get tickets to a show, I told her I could get her some."

He grins, "Oh smooth move man, sure I can get you some tickets."

I smile, "Great thanks man, I owe you."

"Nah man it's nothin' really. Glad to help out. I just have to warn you about a few things.” I lifted an eyebrow. "We can easily get her backstage stuff so she can come in before the show, but don't tell anyone else. We don't want fans swarming around. Don't leave her alone 'cause she'll get lost. It's easy as fuck to get lost in these stadiums. Don't get followed by fans, try to stay inconspicuous. And the last but final one, don't be stupid."

I hit him with a pillow. "I'm not the stupid one in this friendship."

"You can be when you're around a chick. You either say something stupid that ruins your chances or you do something stupid. In this case, the most stupid thing you can do is leave her alone with one of the others. Trust me; they'll swarm her like bees."

"They really need girlfriends," I said, laughing.

"Joey's fine, he's with Kelly still. It's more of Chris I'm worried about. Lance knows how to respect a lady.”

"And I do too," I pointed out. "Don't forget where I was raised. We Southerners are born knowing to treat women right."

"Yes, but sometimes you have a lapse in judgment," he pointed out as he stood. "We're going to eat and then leave in about a half hour, ok."

"Ok."

End Notes:
Ooooh, Justin's getting supicious. And Trace is head-over-heels for Taylor! Please read and review.
JC and Justin by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
I know, it took us soooooo long to update but after many internet troubles and computer problems we're back on track to continue brining you this Trace story. Thanks for bearing with us.

“Hey man, can I talk to you for a second?”

Justin gulped. JC was standing by his bunk, looking down at him, waiting for Justin’s response. He knew the day would come. It usually never took JC this long to ask him what was bothering him but he knew it was going to come sooner or later. He just wished it was later. He still hadn’t prepared an excuse why he was acting funny and he didn’t know who to actually tell them about leaving the group for a bit.

“Sure,” Justin finally replied, rolling out of his bed. JC backed up a bit so Justin had some room before leading him to the back lounge. Justin gulped again. They usually only went back there when they wanted privacy either talking to someone one-on-one or on the phone. That meant that something was really on JC’s mind. “What’s up?” He asked, hovering by the closed door.

“You can sit down you know,” JC said with a small smile, running his hand through his wild hair. Justin still didn’t know why JC decided on growing out his hair and adding highlights to it. It was such…a girly move. JC said he needed a change but it was still pretty drastic, even for him.

Justin slowly sat down, never taking his eyes off of JC. JC was a hard one to crack, he was an expert at keeping a poker face, no one seemed to know what he was thinking or feeling most times. He never wore his heart on his sleeve.

“What’s up?” Justin repeated.

“I just wanted to know what was going on,” JC replied, leaning back in his seat.

“What do you mean?” Justin asked, lifting his eyebrows.

JC merely smiled. “How long have I known you, J?”

“Umm…nine years, give or take,” Justin replied, looking at the ceiling as if that held his answer. “Why?”

“Don’t you think in the nine years that I’ve known you I’d be able to tell when you’re lying to me?” JC asked evenly, studying Justin’s face. Justin stiffened slightly. Relax, stay calm. JC hasn’t said anything yet so don’t freak out.

“What do you mean? I’m not lying about anything.”

JC crossed his arms over his chest. “Yet every time one of us asks you if you’re ok or how you’re feeling you keep spitting out that you’re ‘fine’ or you’re ‘tired’ when really you have the most energy out of all of us, even compared to Chris.” He paused. “That and you have a very slight eye twitch when you lie.”

“I do not!” Justin denied.

“There it is again,” JC said as he pointed. “Do yourself a favor and stop lying to me. I’ve been able to tell when you’ve kept something from me since day one and I can still do it now and I won’t hesitate to get it out of Trace.”

“How? You don’t know Trace’s weakness,” Justin said with a smug smile.

“Oh I’ll figure it out. If I kill him along the way so be it.” He shrugged.

Justin laughed. “You’re so cruel, man.” He let out a long sigh and rubbed his hands over his buzzed head. It still felt odd not being able to run his fingers through his curls. Sure, at first he hated them because he constantly got teased and Trace always called him a poodle which was why he hated it in the first place, but then it grew on him…literally. It grew so much that it became an entity of its own and then he cut it. “I’m just…tired,” Justin replied honestly.

“Sleep can help that. Trust me, I’d know,” JC joked.

“Yeah you would, King of the Mattress,” Justin laughed as JC winked. “No I mean…tired of touring non-stop. Not getting a break. Not being able to see my family. Not being able to just sit down and relax and do something I want to do.” He let out another long breath. “I just…want a break,” he finally admitted the words he’s always wanted to say. It was close to what he really wanted to tell them but right now it was better to deal JC a soft blow. “I just want to be able to sleep and watch the game and play basketball, man. I just want…I want my old life back for a bit.”

“That’s all that’s been bothering you?” JC asked, squinting.

Justin shifted under JC’s gaze. JC had a way of staring that always freaked Justin out, even when he was younger. He had a particular way of staring hard at someone’s face with his blue eyes that would scare little rabbits when he wanted to get something out of them.

“Yeah, C,” Justin said getting up, pacing. “I mean, think about it. Ever since we started *NSYNC we’ve never had a real break. A few days off here, sure. A few weeks off for holidays, sure. But we’ve never been off for an extended period of time. We’ve never been off long enough for me to feel like I have my head on straight or get it out of its haze. Don’t you feel that way? Ever?”

JC nodded. “I have for a while.”

“And I could see it on your face,” Justin agreed. “So why don’t we just…take a break? After this tour is over, we all just…take a break. No *NSYNC, no music, no nothing. We just go home for, like, six months or something, and do something else.” Behind his back Justin crossed his fingers. Maybe this will be easy…

“Hmm.” JC tapped his chin. “That actually sounds like a good idea. Tell you what; we’ll bring it up during our band meeting, ok?” He patted Justin on the arm and stood.

“Was that all you wanted?” Justin asked.

“Yeah, that was it,” JC replied. “Justin, you’re an amazing dancer and a great singer but you’re bad at hiding something from us.”

“Duly noted,” Justin replied.

The smile slid from JC’s face almost instantly as soon as the door to the back lounge closed and he walked to the front of the bus where the rest of the guys were sitting around Lance’s laptop looking at something. Chris and Joey were snickering like little kids and JC was a little afraid of what they were looking at.

“How’d it go?” Lance asked, looking up.

“The kid still won’t crack,” JC replied. “I don’t know why he keeps lying to my face. I know something’s bothering him.”

“But what if there isn’t anything?” Lance questioned.

JC grunted. “When Justin’s involved it’s not nothing.”

End Notes:
Leave some love. ^_^
Bromance by Mack_Attack22
Author's Notes:
It's been a while, huh? Sorry to keep you all waiting.

 

Two weeks after that I decided to call Taylor. I knew she was off for spring break soon so I decided to call her then.

"Hello?" she answered.

"H-hey, its Trace" I said nervously. God, I gotta stop being all nervous. It’s just Taylor. Hot Taylor…smokin’ hot Taylor…

"Oh hey Trace, I was just thinking about you," she giggled. Music to my ears.

"Y-you were?"

"Yeah, I really wanna hang out with you."

That made me grin like a fool. "Well I was just calling to see if you wanted to come to LA and hang out and catch the concert."

"To LA? Really?"

"Yeah, at the Staples Center on Friday."

"This Friday? I don't know Trace that's two days away, I don't think I can book a flight that fast."

I laughed. "Don't worry about that, I'll take care of it," I assured her.

"Really? Oh Trace you’re the best! I guess I'll start packing the.”

"It's nothing really. Look I gotta go, I'll send you more info later okay?"

"Okay, thanks again and you’re the best."

I smiled, "Your welcome and I'll see you soon."

"Alright,bye."

"Bye." I hang up the phone and sigh. I can't believe this. She actually feels the same way I do. That never happens to me. I’d pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming but I didn’t want to wake up in case it was a dream.

This is really happening! The girl of my dreams is coming to see me! Well hopefully seeing Justin and the guys don't distract her that much. That'll hurt my pride like a slap in the face. I mean, who can compete with them?

"Well, well aren't we happy today," Chris says as he come in the dressing room,

"What makes you say that?"

He laughs, "You've had this stupid smile on your face all day and its kinda annoying me."

 "Well sorry that I'm happy and you’re a bitter old man," I say and he snorts.

"Ha, me old, that’s funny and I'm not bitter. I just wanna know who she is." I look at him. "So who is she?"

"How do you know it's for a girl?" He puts an arm around me and pats my shoulder,

"Dude, I'm a guy and I know the only time us guys have a smile is when we either like a girl or just got laid and well I know you haven't got laid in a while, so I'm guessing its about a girl. You wouldn’t smile that big for a dude. So spill it, who is she? Where’d you meet her and does she have a hot friend or sister you can introduce me to?"

I chuckle, "You have a one-track mind.” I shake my head and get up from my seat.

"Oh come on, help a guy out. I help you out!" He says following behind me into the hallway.

 I look back at him and stop, "When have you helped me out?"

"That time we had that award show and I introduced you to that girl" I laugh,

"You introduced me to her just so you could distract her to get to her friend."

"Well she ended up liking you, didn't she?"

"Yeah to the point where she wanted to suck my face off" I shudder at the thought of it.

"Come on please?" he begs as I start to walk again.

"No," I respond, trying to get away from him, walking faster. I thought at first my height would make a difference but it didn't. He was an inch taller than me (blast my short stature!) and he still managed to catch up to me, even when i was practically running.

"What're you so afraid of?" Chris asked in a joking tone as i tried to get away from him. "What, are you afraid that she'll like me better than you? You have to worry; actually, I am that good looking. C'mon, just tell me her name and I'll leave you alone."

"No! Now leave me alone! It's none of your business!" I snapped as i burst into the bathroom. The guy triggered the liquids in my stomach from chasing me around like that.

"Just her name, that's all," Chris said, appearing next to me.

I gave him a dumbfounded look. "Dude, I'm PISSING here! Go away!" I snapped, trying to relieve myself which was hard seeing as he was staring right at me. He finally left the bathroom and I let out a sigh of relief. "God, J, you have some crazy-ass friends," I muttered to myself, flushing the urinal and washing my hands. "How do you deal with them 24/7?"

"It's pretty easy actually. I’m more worried about you talking to yourself," Justin joked, coming into the bathroom. "Now what's this i hear about you hiding a girl from Chris?" I dried my hands with a paper towel and grinned.

"Taylor's coming to your show on Friday to hang out with me. Me, Juan Trace Ayala. Keep in mind if you tell anyone my first name--"

"You'll skin me alive, I know," Justin said, putting down my finger. "By the way he was screaming I thought you had told him..."

I stared at him in confusion until it hit me. "No. No, man I told you I won't say anything until you're ready."

"Good." Justin smiled. It was quiet for a moment until Justin smiled at me.

"What?" I asked with an eyebrow raised. "Nothin' its just..Traceys gotta girlfriend" he sang.

 I glared at him, "Shut the fuck up man! She’s not my girlfriend."

"Yet" Justin chuckled.

"You know I hate labels. And don't call me Tracey," I snapped and shoved him.

"Hey, okay fine I won't call you Tracey, but you can't blame me to feel happy for you. It's been a while since i saw you this way." He smiled an easy-going smile.

I smiled and ducked my head down and laughed, "Thanks man, I am pretty stoked."

"Ahhh..see now your blushing. Now let’s hope you get laid soon cuz man you've been a little uptight lately," he said making a face.

"I have not been uptight..just a little stressed.”

"A little," he mumbled.

"Okay I'm stressed. You try dealing with your shit for a day and then tell me how you feel"

"That's why I got you" he says putting his arm around my shoulder.

"Asshole."

"And lovin' it, my friend," he laughed, sticking his tongue out.

I shoved him away and shook my head. "Sometimes I wonder why i put up with you," I sighed.

"Because your life wouldn't nearly be as interesting if I weren't in it," he replied.

"Yeah. whatever man," I said, rolling my eyes. "My life would be somewhat normal if I didn't know you."

"Yet you wouldn't have girls throwing themselves at you if you didn't know me," Justin pointed out.

"Sometimes I think that would be good," I admitted.

He looked offended. "Not knowing me?"

"No, not that. You're my bud, Justin. I mean sometimes I think not having girls throwing themselves at me to get to you would be a good thing. I need some stability," i replied.

Justin squinted. "Trace wants an actual relationship?"

I nodded. "It would be nice," I replied. "For once someone wants to be with me because of me. not because I know you."

"Trace," Justin started. I knew what he was going to say. He said the same things whenever I brought something like that up. "I know, J, I know. But it's hard knowing what a girl wants, you know?"

"Have you LISTENED to Christina's song?" Justin tried to joke. I glared. "Sorry," he grumbled. “I get what you’re saying. Look like I said before, if this girl is using you to get to me than she isn't worth it. Tell ya what, I'm going to back off and leave you alone. Better yet I'll give you the day off and you can enjoy the concert" he smiled.

"Seriously? thanks man, but who's going to help you out?"

"Eh I'll find someone. You just focus on your game man. I want details when she leaves and don't leave anything out," he wiggled his eyebrows.

"You’re just like Chris," I told him shaking his head.

"Hey I'm giving you the day off aren't I? I at least need details"

I laughed and shook my head, "You are unbelievable." I looked at my watch. "Shit I gotta go" I got up and walked to the door then I turned to him before opening the door, "Thanks again J." I smiled.

"Anytime, man," he said and smiled. I headed out to the hall. "I still want details," he shouts behind me.

I shook my head kept walking. Sometimes Justin can be much but I admit I love that motherfucker like he was my brother.

End Notes:
Mostly dialouge, but we hope you like it. Please leave some love.
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1658