How Do You Keep The Music Playing? by DesperateThoughts
Summary:

"If we can be the best of lovers. Yet be the best of friends...If we can try with everyday to make it better...as it grows...Then I suppose...The music never ends."

 

This is a 2-part Series so make sure you check out "The Music Never Ends" once you are done! Hope you enjoy!


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Group, JC Chasez
Awards: Season 1
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 65 Completed: Yes Word count: 112230 Read: 238558 Published: Jan 11, 2010 Updated: Mar 25, 2010
Story Notes:
This is a 2-part Series so make sure you check out "The Music Never Ends" once you are done! Hope you enjoy!

1. Chapter 1 by DesperateThoughts

2. Chapter 2 by DesperateThoughts

3. Chapter 3 by DesperateThoughts

4. Chapter 4 by DesperateThoughts

5. Chapter 5 by DesperateThoughts

6. Chapter 6 by DesperateThoughts

7. Chapter 7 by DesperateThoughts

8. Chapter 8 by DesperateThoughts

9. Chapter 9 by DesperateThoughts

10. Chapter 10 by DesperateThoughts

11. Chapter 11 by DesperateThoughts

12. Chapter 12 by DesperateThoughts

13. Chapter 13 by DesperateThoughts

14. Chapter 14 by DesperateThoughts

15. Chapter 15 by DesperateThoughts

16. Chapter 16 by DesperateThoughts

17. Chapter 17 by DesperateThoughts

18. Chapter 18 by DesperateThoughts

19. Chapter 19 by DesperateThoughts

20. Chapter 20 by DesperateThoughts

21. Chapter 21 by DesperateThoughts

22. Chapter 22 by DesperateThoughts

23. Chapter 23 by DesperateThoughts

24. Chapter 24 by DesperateThoughts

25. Chapter 25 by DesperateThoughts

26. Chapter 26 by DesperateThoughts

27. Chapter 27 by DesperateThoughts

28. Chapter 28 by DesperateThoughts

29. Chapter 29 by DesperateThoughts

30. Chapter 30 by DesperateThoughts

31. Chapter 31 by DesperateThoughts

32. Chapter 32 by DesperateThoughts

33. Chapter 33 by DesperateThoughts

34. Chapter 34 by DesperateThoughts

35. Chapter 35 by DesperateThoughts

36. Chapter 36 by DesperateThoughts

37. Chapter 37 by DesperateThoughts

38. Chapter 38 by DesperateThoughts

39. Chapter 39 by DesperateThoughts

40. Chapter 40 by DesperateThoughts

41. Chapter 41 by DesperateThoughts

42. Chapter 42 by DesperateThoughts

43. Chapter 43 by DesperateThoughts

44. Chapter 44 by DesperateThoughts

45. Chapter 45 by DesperateThoughts

46. Chapter 46 by DesperateThoughts

47. Chapter 47 by DesperateThoughts

48. Chapter 48 by DesperateThoughts

49. Chapter 49 by DesperateThoughts

50. Chapter 50 by DesperateThoughts

51. Chapter 51 by DesperateThoughts

52. Chapter 52 by DesperateThoughts

53. Chapter 53 by DesperateThoughts

54. Chapter 54 by DesperateThoughts

55. Chapter 55 by DesperateThoughts

56. Chapter 56 by DesperateThoughts

57. Chapter 57 by DesperateThoughts

58. Chapter 58 by DesperateThoughts

59. Chapter 59 by DesperateThoughts

60. Chapter 60 by DesperateThoughts

61. Chapter 61 by DesperateThoughts

62. Chapter 62 by DesperateThoughts

63. Chapter 63 by DesperateThoughts

64. Chapter 64 by DesperateThoughts

65. Chapter 65 by DesperateThoughts

Chapter 1 by DesperateThoughts

"...See, now I know you have completely lost your mind!" Laura laughed.

 

"Oh come on! Why not? The two of you are best friends. I'm sure you can work together to write me some hits for this album." he begged.

 

"That's the thing, Jerry...We're best friends," She noted as she leaned over the desk and handed him back the legal documents. "I know him well enough to know that when it comes to us collaborating on something together...It WON'T work. JC is too uptight about his shit." Laura joked.

 

"At least think it over." Jerry pleaded as he stood up and walked around his desk and took a seat in the chair next to hers. "Talk to him about it. See what he thinks."

 

Laura's head fell back in laughter. "He despises you, Jerry! What makes you think that he will do it?  Even if he did decide to work with me on this album, JC would walk out the minute he discovered you were heading up this project."

 

"If you read that sweet ass contract, you will see that you both are getting a big chunk of change there along with SOLE production rights and freedoms." Jerry placed the two contracts in her lap. "And with BOTH of you on this album, it's sure to be a guaranteed Grammy contender. Just your names alone attached to this will make it an instant success!"

 

Laura looked down at the contract and her chuckling soon faded. "From a quick glance this does look like a sweet deal."

 

"And just look at all those zero's at the end there." Jerry pointed out vainly.

 

Laura looked over at him and rolled her eyes. "Oh puh-lease...You know none of that matters to either one of us. JC has more than enough money to keep him comfortable for the rest of his life and then some."

 

"Well he should donate his share to the charity of Jerry Emerson then." He joked.

 

Laura just laughed. "Okay. Okay...I'll talk to him, but I can't promise you anything." she said.

 

"Oh good. That's all I wanted." Jerry smiled as he grabbed her hand and kissed it. He quickly jumped up from the chair and rounded his desk to make a phone call.

 

Laura placed the two documents into her bag and was on the way out of Jerry's office when he called after her.  "Laura, I need your answer by tomorrow morning. So you both need to be here by 9am...At the latest."

 

"You know...You call me over here and beg me to do this project for you, because you were stupid enough to promise your bosses that you could deliver both me and JC on this album...And now you are giving me a time limit to work this miracle for you of all people?"

 

"I know you can do it...I have faith in you, sweetheart....Thanks.

 

Shut the door on your way out? MUAH!" he blew her a kiss right before speaking to the person on the other end of the line.

 

Laura just shook her head and smiled as she walked out of his office. "I'm starting to see why JC doesn't like him." she said to herself.

 

~~~~~~

 

"AWWW...Well hey there, Buddy!" she said excitedly to the puppy that came sliding across the hard wood floor to greet her as she walked in.

 

"Where is your daddy, huh? Where's JC?" She asked as she threw her bag onto the floor and dropped to her knees the pet the canine that was frantically jumping up to get her attention.

 

JC had found the tan colored Chow puppy when he was pulling out of his driveway one morning. Buddy was a newborn when JC found him.

 

The owner simply dumped the dog in a patch of bushes by JC's home. JC could see the puppy was struggling to breathe and had been badly hurt by other animals that must have came across him in the time that he was lying in the bushes. JC immediately rushed him to the vet and they soon found numerous problems with the puppy. The chances of survival were very slim.

 

JC would stop by the vet each day and would check up on him. The dog seemed to light up just a bit more when JC would walk over to him and say "Hey there little buddy" as he pet him. The name Buddy just stuck from there. Within a couple weeks, Buddy had a perfect recovery and was on his way to the humane society for adoption, until JC decided to adopt the pup himself.

 

"Let's go find your poppa." Laura said as she scooped up the puppy in her arms and walked down the hall to find JC. Buddy was frantically tilting his head back to lick her face as she lightly scratched his favorite spot behind his ears. As she rounded the corner she could hear music playing from the living room. She stopped in the doorway.

 

"There's your daddy." she whispered to the puppy before she gently put him back down on the floor.  She quietly walked up behind JC as he was playing and concentrating on the sheet music in front of him. She slowly draped her hands over his eyes. "Boo!"

 

"What's up, Laura?" JC responded as he continued to play without sight.

 

"How did you know I was here?" She asked as she sat down on the bench and leaned back to look at him.

 

"Buddy ran outta here like a bat out of hell." JC said as he took the pencil from behind his ear and scribbled something on the sheet music. "He only does that when you're here. You spoil him too much." JC said as he finally looked in her direction.

 

Laura just laughed. "I spoil him? What about that big ass bedroom you had decorated just for that dog? Buddy has his own castle up in that room. I don't even have a room and I am here just as much!" Laura joked.

 

"Why would you need a room?" JC asked and he stopped playing. "You don't like sleeping in my bed anymore?" JC smiled as he wrapped his arms around Laura's waist. She quickly unwrapped his hands and stood up.

 

"JC...Come on...Stop." Laura said as she went to sit on the nearby couch.

 

JC could sense some tension and quickly changed the subject. "So where were you all afternoon? You're usually here bugging me way earlier than this."

 

"Jerry wanted to meet with me about a proposition he had..." Laura cautiously paused trying to study his reaction before speaking any further. "...For the both of us."

 

JC sighed and shook his head, "No way...nuh uh. Not this cat."

 

"JC, you haven't even heard the proposition." she whined.

 

"I heard Jerry! I don't need to hear anything else!" JC yelled. He quickly stood up and walked out of the room. Buddy jumped up and followed behind him. Laura threw her hands up in the air and got off the couch the find him.

Chapter 2 by DesperateThoughts

As she entered the kitchen she could see JC sitting on top of the counter peeling an orange.

 

"JC, what the fuuu--" Laura quickly caught herself when she saw another body moving behind the counter."---uudgesickles are you doing in here bothering your mom for when she is trying to cook?"

 

Laura shot JC a dirty look and then quickly smiled. "Hi Mrs. Chasez. I saw your car when I pulled up. I assumed you were out reading under that tree you love."

 

JC tried not to laugh at her desperate attempt to recover. His mother simply smiled, "Its OK sweetie. It looked like it was going to rain earlier so I came inside. I'm almost finished here. JC's been working so much lately. I wanted to make sure he got a hearty meal in his stomach. You see how thin my baby's getting?"

 

"Yeah, he is almost just skin & bones." Laura responded as she pinched his side for not warning her about his mother's presence in the kitchen.

 

JC smiled as he tossed a piece of orange in his mouth. "That's not what you said last night....When we were working out--"

 

"In the gym!" Laura quickly added as she slammed the refrigerator door shut and glared at him.

 

"That's a pretty comfortable gym I have isn't it?" JC grinned.

 

"Yes...You know how I get self-conscious when I'm at the public gym." she said as she took her free hand and moved it across her neck to signal that he cut it out.

 

"JC..." His mother said warningly. She never turned around from the cutting board.

 

"What? What'd I do?" he asked defensively.

 

"Stop teasing Laura with your innuendoes." She said as he lifted the knife in the air as she spoke and finished the salad.

 

"I haven't the faintest idea of what you're talking about mom?" JC said as he acted shocked.

Mrs. Chasez turned around with the knife in her hand and smiled, "I may be old, but I am not that old, Joshua."

 

JC laughed. "You're right. I'm sorry mom."

 

"What about an 'I'm so sorry, Laura?' Don't I get one too?" She complained.

 

The door bell rang and JC plopped down off the counter to go and answer it. When he returned his mother asked who it was.

 

"Just the FedEx guy. I ordered some new equipment for the studio."

 

"Okay well my work here is done. Everything for tonight is on the stove. I made enough for you for the week."

 

"It looks like enough for the month mom." JC said as he looked at all the containers.

 

"Well I know how Laura and everyone else likes to come over all the time so I made extra just in case.Wait until these cool and them put them in the freezer till you're ready to heat them up."

 

"Thanks Mrs. Chasez." Laura smiled as she grabbed a plate.

 

His mom grabbed her jacket and purse and headed towards the front door. "JC, Laura told me about how stubborn you are being about an offer she got today. "

 

"Mom, Jerry is heading up the project."

 

"At least listen before you turn it down sweetie."

 

"For you I will hear her out..." JC smiled.

 

"There's my boy." His mom said as she hugged him and kissed his cheek before walking out the door.

 

"I'll call you tomorrow." JC said as he watched her disappear down the driveway.

 

As he shut the door he heard Laura call out for him to bring her bag with him.

 

"I don't know which part of my forehead says 'Laura's bitch' on it..." JC said as he placed the bag in the chair next to her before getting a plate and sitting down at the table.

 

"Oh shoosh. You're just mad cause I told on you." Laura laughed.

 

JC rolled his eyes. "So what's this so called proposition?"

 

She grabbed the contracts from her bag and handed him one to read while she explained it in detail.

"I can tell your curiosity is peaked, JC." Laura grinned.

 

"And how can you tell that?" JC continued to read through the contract, never looking up.

 

"Because you are on page 3 and you are still reading it instead of tossing it aside like you usually do when you lose interest."

 

"You think you know me so well don't you?" JC asked as he sat back and crossed his arms.

 

"I know you better than you know yourself." Laura smiled as she stood up and took both their plates to the sink.  She turned on the faucet and filled the sink with soapy water. Hands soon draped next to hers under the running water.

 

"Laticia will take care of that before she leaves." He said softly in her ear. Laura quickly turned off the water and walked out of the kitchen and back into the living room.  JC looked oddly towards her direction and soon grabbed both documents and followed her.  "Did you read this part here about a 5 month deadline?" JC asked as he sat next to her on the couch.

 

"No...let me see." Laura said as she grabbed the papers to see what he was referring to. "I knew there had to be a catch. The deal seemed too good to be true."

 

"He expects us to pop out 13-15 amazing songs in only 5 months?" JC asked.

 

"I'm sorry. I should have looked this over more before I even brought it to you." she said as she went to grab the papers to throw them away.

 

JC stared off into space momentarily before speaking. "Wait....We can do this." He smiled.

 

"Excuse me?" Laura asked with a shocked look on her face.

 

"Its a great challenge...I like a challenge. We can do this." JC repeated.

 

"How? You know how meticulous you are with every single thing. We are going to be at each others throats in the first week."

 

"We can write a certain amount of songs each by ourselves and then collaborate on 2 or 3. See right here it says that he wants a minimum of 2 songs written collaboratively by the two of us. The rest can be done separately.  See Laura, he just wants our name status on this album. Two well known's sell better than just one well known. This will be a piece of cake.  Plus sole production rights and freedoms? I may despise Jerry, but I am willing to put up with him for this." JC joked.

 

"Are you sure?" Laura asked as she sat back down on the couch. She couldn't believe that she didn't have to beg or bribe him.

 

"Yes I'm sure....Aren't you?" He asked as he leaned in closer, starring down at her lips.

 

"Mr. Chasez?" a voice from behind them called out.

Chapter 3 by DesperateThoughts

JC quickly turned his head towards the doorway. "Yes Laticia?"

 

"I'm leaving now. Is there anything else you need before I go?"

 

"No. Thank you." JC responded. He watched her disappear down the hallway and turned back

around to find Laura standing up and putting her bag over her shoulder.

 

"You leavin' too?" JC asked.

 

"Yeah. I need to drop this by the lawyers office before he closes."

 

"You can't do that tomorrow morning?"

 

"No, Jerry wants them by 9am so I want to get these to Mr. Shapiro so he can be extremely thorough with this before we sign it."

 

JC sighed. "Jerry must have promised the world to his bosses and tomorrow is D-Day for him, huh?"

 

"Yep." Laura smiled. JC stood up and walked her to the back door.

 

"Call me later when you get home?" he asked as he held onto the door frame and leaned out towards her.

 

"Why don't I just walk through our attached backyards, open the sliding glass door you always seem to leave unlocked and come and steal some ice cream like I usually do late at night?" Laura smiled as she poked him in the stomach.  JC's smile grew as Laura leaned up to hug him. She then bent down and patted Buddy on the top of his head and said she would see them later.

 

"Bring back some vanilla ice cream on your way. I think you ate the last bit I had in the freezer." he said as he leaned out the door towards her smiling face.

 

A voice from behind soon startled them both.  "There you are man! I was looking for you in your studio."

 

"Justin, how the fuck did you get in my house! You scared the shit out of me!" JC exclaimed.

 

"Laticia let me in on her way out." Justin said as he went and stood next to him in the doorway. "Hey, girl."

 

"Hey Justin. I gotta get going before I'm late. I'll see you both later. Bye." she said quickly before walking away.

 

JC lifted his hand up to call after her but changed his mind and returned back into the house with Justin.

 

"How's she doing?" Justin asked as JC sat next to him on the couch.

 

"She's fine."

 

"Shit, I know she's fine. I watched her as she walked away. I asked you how she was doing." Justin joked.

 

JC punched him in the arm. "That's my friend. Have a little respect."

 

JC plopped down on the couch next to his friend and turned on the tv.  "Please, JC...Don't tell me you never thought about it, because I remember those times when all 5 of us used to talk about that shit." JC just smiled and thought quietly to himself as they watched the basketball game.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Just breathe, JC. Don't get your panties in a wad." Laura said as she fanned him off with the contracts she was holding.

 

"I don't want to be here! You conveniently left out the part that I had to come with you to drop these off and sign them!" He whispered angrily through clenched teeth.

 

"Shhhh....Awww you look so cute when that vein pops out of your neck like that." Laura joked.

 

JC tried his best to keep his angry face on but cracked a tiny smile the more Laura grinned at him.  "You know I am gonna tear that--" JC started, before he was interrupted by the slamming of the door.

 

"Hey guys!" Jerry said as he walked into the office. "Sorry I'm late. I got hung up in a meeting this morning. Its nice to see you, JC." 

 

"Yeah, Jerry. When was the last time we saw each other?" JC said as he looked towards the ceiling thinking. "Oh yes, it must have been when you stabb--"

 

Laura quickly interrupted JC before he had time to finish his sentence, "Soooo...Jerry...JC and I talked about it and I had my lawyer look over the contracts and we decided that we will do it."

 

"Oh that's great! For a minute there I thought you guys were going to leave me high and dry." Jerry nervously smiled as he sat back in his chair. "All you two have to do now is sign on the dotted line then."

 

"Okay" Laura said as she grabbed two pens and handed one to JC who was glaring at Jerry. Laura shoved the pen in JC's had to get his attention.

 

"Its basically like signing your lives over to me for the next 5 months...Isn't it JC?" Jerry said sarcastically as he folded his hands across the desk.

 

JC quickly stood up and threw the pen and contract at Jerry and stormed out of the office.

 

"Jerry, what the fuck, man?!" Laura yelled.

 

"I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me! Get him back in here and I will apologize." Jerry pleaded.

 

Laura ran out the office and down the hall towards the elevators after JC. "JC! Please, come on. Jerry is sorry."

 

"You know damn well where he was going when he said that!" JC whispered loudly as he pushed the button over and over again waiting on the elevator.

 

"JC please. Who the hell cares what he says? This will be our baby...Not his. He can't claim rights to any of this. Please JC." she said as she grabbed his arm and made him face her. "Do it for me? I want this project. And you know you want it too. If you don't go in on this with me, I won't be able to get the same benefits. Please?" Laura begged.

 

JC stood there for a moment and finally gave in. "Fine!"

 

As they both came back into the office, Jerry quickly stood up and walked over and apologized to JC. He extended his hand out to shake JC's, but JC brushed past him. He walked over to the desk signed the contract and shoved it hard against Jerry's chest. "Laura will clue me in on the details of this meeting later. Good day."

 

Jerry and Laura stood and watched as JC disappeared from the office and then looked at each other before finally sitting down and talking further.

Chapter 4 by DesperateThoughts

After the meeting Laura returned back to JC's to find his car was not in the driveway. She drove around the corner to her house hoping he might be there. But still no luck. She called his cell phone but it went straight to voicemail. She sat around the rest of the afternoon hoping to hear from him but all she got were calls from people who were also looking for him, hoping she would know since they were always together.

 

Evening came, and JC still had not returned home. Laura looked out her bedroom window which faced JC's backyard and noticed that there were no lights on in the house. She decided to give up and go to bed.

 

At around 12am she was awaken by vigorous splashing. Laura rubbed her eyes and looked at the clock again and slowly sat up.  She could see light illuminating in the distance and walked over to the window and could see JC doing laps in the pool.

 

JC reached the end of the pool, grabbing onto the edge to catch his breath.  "Where the hell have you been? Laura asked.

 

"Must you always know my every move?" JC complained.

 

"I was worried. Everyone was worried. Your mom was the most worried...You didn't even bother to return her call, JC!"

 

"I'm sorry. I just needed to be alone. And I called my dad and told him I was running errands. He must not have told my mother whenever she called you." He explained seeing the look of concern on her face.

 

"You could have just called and told me you were Okay. I didn't know what had happened to you."

 

"You were that worried huh?" he smiled.

 

"Oh don't flatter yourself." she said as she leaned down to be closer to his eye level.

 

JC looked her up and down and she continued to talk to him about how the meeting with Jerry went after he left. Her long brown hair was up in a pony tail with a few strands falling down the sides of her face.  JC noticed how her eyes seemed to sparkle from the reflection of the lights off the pool. She had on a silk, green, spaghetti strapped top with matching pajama shorts.

"Are you even listening to me, Moron!?" Laura asked as she leaned out her finger and pressed it against his wet forehead to regain his attention. JC quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her into the pool.

 

Laura's head came crashing up through the water.  Gasping for air she yelled, "Oh you son of a bitch!" She quickly rubbed the water from her eyes to find him. "I'm gonna kick your ass!" she exclaimed as she swam after him. Laura jumped onto JC's back as she tried to dunk him under the water but he would fall back intentionally so that she would go under. Laura got tired of losing and gave in. "Okay you win!" She called out as she moved back and wiped her eyes to see where she was.  He was standing directly in front of her and she was backed into a corner.

"Jerry seemed very confident that I would sign that contract didn't he?"

 

"Yea he did. He was a little too cocky about it. I guess you really scared him when you walked out the first time." Laura joked and she pined the water away from her nose.

 

"Did you tell him that you have me wrapped around your little finger?" JC said as he took her hands and brought it out of the water and entwined them with his own. He then draped her hands around his neck and wrapped his arms around her waist.

 

"What do you mean?" Laura asked as she pushed her hair back with one hand.

 

"Did you tell him that all you had to do was ask me and I would say yes to anything?" JC smiled as he ran his hands down the back of her legs and wrapped them around his waist moving forward so that her back was up against the pool wall.

 

"You are hilarious, JC." Laura laughed.

 

JC moved his head closer to the side of her ear and whispered "Or did you tell him that you would hover that sweet pussy of yours over my face, and I would do anything just to taste you?"

 

Laura couldn't take it anymore. She grabbed his hair in her hands and began to kiss him furiously. JC took one hand and grabbed on to her ass tightly while using his other hand to grab her face to kiss her deeply. He slowly pulled the strap on her shirt down and he kissed her shoulder. He then kissed his way up her neck and licked her ear. She couldn’t help but moan.  Her eyes curled back into her head as ran her nails up and down his back.

 

 

JC's cell phone began to ring and they both jumped back at the sound. He quickly walked up the steps out of the pool to get the phone. While he was talking he grabbed a towel and dried himself off. When he turned around to look at Laura he noticed that she was out of the pool and walking through the gate towards her backyard. When he was finished with the call, he slid open her back door and walked into the house to find her.  "What's wrong?" JC asked as he watched her walk out past him into the laundry room, holding the front of her robe together.

 

Chapter 5 by DesperateThoughts

"Nothing. Why?" Laura asked as she threw the wet clothes in the washing machine.

 

"You've been acting weird lately."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"What do I mean!?" JC asked as he threw his hands in the air. "Like right now! he said angrily as he walked towards her. "You standing here in front of me holding your robe together like you have something to hide from me..." he said as he pushed her hands away and opened up her robe to expose her naked body. "....When you know damn well that I have seen you like this spread out across my bed...across the kitchen table..." He softly continued as he ran his hands around her waist and kissed her neck. "...Pressed against the shower wall...spread out on the carpet...On the chair in my studio...."

 

Laura pushed on his chest to move him away. She closed her robe and tied the strings.  "You are getting to the point where its almost out of control, JC!" Laura yelled. "Yesterday you even made comments in front of your mother about us and our 'work outs'!!!"

 

He chuckled.

 

"I don't think that's funny, JC! And neither did your mom. We both agreed that this was going to stay between the two of us for now."

 

"Yes I know. I was only teasing you." JC said.

 

"Yeah well the entire time I was there yesterday you were trying to either kiss me or make my face turn 12 shades of red! You mom was in the house, Laticia was there, and then Justin pops up out of no where! I don't like to take chances when other people are around. You know that. And you tried anyway! And the whole thing in the pool just now?! We were outside for Pete sakes! Anyone could have seen us, JC." Laura yelled furiously.

 

"Whoa!! I wasn't the one grabbing a chunk of my own hair and attacking myself just a minute ago, Laura!" JC yelled in his defense.

 

Laura looked off to the side remembering what happened in the pool and slowly began to walk towards him. JC extended his arms to hold her, but instead she walked past him and shut the door. He looked at her in disbelief and walked out of the room and into her office to grab a cd he had lent her. Laura followed and slowly walked up behind him and wrapped her hands around his waist and slid them up his chest. JC removed them and turned around to face her.

"Look. I am all for being private about this because it's what you want. I can completely understand why you don't want the whole world to know your business, but I am not going to stop myself from showing you affection when I have the urge. If I wanted to hug you, I should be able to do that anytime I damn well fuckin' please." JC said.

 

He took her hands in his own and pulled them close to his chest as he continued to speak, "I should be able to kiss you when I want, instead of waiting for you to stop looking over your shoulder and then giving me the go ahead. That's bullshit...I mean you don't even want our closest friends or family to know about us. Do you know how hard it is for me to not tell my mother how happy I am? I'm tired of hiding my happiness because its not convenient for you, Laura."

 

"I know. You don't think I want the same things? You don't think I want to shout from the roof some nights and yell out to the world that I have the most incredible guy who is spectacular in bed?" Laura smiled.

 

JC tried not to grin. Laura's smile faded and she looked down at his chest and ran her finger over his skin lightly. "This is all new to both of us. And I don't want to be too quick on the jump and come out with this and it doesn't last but a few more months. I want to know that this was the right step for us before I have other people giving their opinions and trying to tell us how it won't work out. And its not just for me...It's for you too. I don't want us to wake up one morning and see pictures of you & me hugged up in a pool on the pages of an entertainment magazine." she said as she looked up into his eyes.

 

"I'm sorry about the pool. I just got carried away because I missed you. I missed holding you today. I missed my lover...But most of all I missed my best friend." JC said as he leaned down and pushed his forehead against hers.

 

"I missed you too." she said as she rubbed her nose against his before lighting kissing his lips. "You had me so worried." she replied between kisses. The kisses grew more intense and JC frantically pulled at the strings of her robe to gain access to her body. He turned her around and put her on top of the desk. They pushed the papers over to the side so she could lay back. JC pushed the robe open and stood there glancing at her body. He slowly ran his hand down her nose, passed her lips, down her chin, past her neck all the way down to the crease between her breasts. He ran his finger tips along the contour of her breasts until he reached her shoulder and slowly helped her out of one sleeve. He then slowly repeated this on the other side until she laid there completely naked.

 

Laura slowly sat up and raked her fingernails gently up his chest and down his back until she reached the lining of his swimming trunks. She slid her hands past the elastic and grabbed his ass firmly digging her nails in deep as she ran her tongue along his chest. She then used her wrists to push his shorts down past his knees. JC slowly stepped out of his trunks and pushed Laura's hair back so he could kiss her neck. He ran his tongue up to her ear and lightly bit down on her lobe. "What do you want, baby?"

 

Laura couldn't focus. She could feel his hard cock rubbing up against her stomach as he whispered in her ear. She couldn't utter recognizable words. All she knew was that she didn't want him to stop touching her. "Ahhhhh..." She moaned as she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. "Fuck me, JC...I need you inside me." Laura panted as she tried to catch her breath.

 

JC grinned. "In due time, baby."

 

He laid her back out onto the desk and hovered over her as he gently kissed and licked each nipple of her breasts. He then kissed his way down to her thighs. Laura ran her fingers through his hair while he teased her with his tongue. Slowly sliding his tongue up the inside of her thigh, lightly flicking her clit with the tip of his tongue causing her to cry out, and then slowly sliding his tongue down the other thigh. JC could feel Laura's hands pushing him closer to where she wanted him to be. He soon gave in to her needs and began to lightly suck on her clit making sure he sucked harder with each moan she gave.

 

Laura pushed his head even further between her legs. Begging him for more. When she felt his tongue begin to slide in and out of her dripping wet center, she knew she was on her way over the edge. With her free hand, she reached over her head and clutched onto the edge of the desk. JC could feel her body beginning to shake and he grabbed onto her hips tightly as he ravaged her pussy with his tongue. Holding on to her tightly so she could not squirm away from his tongue lashing , she cried out, "Oh God...I'm gonna cum....." A wave of ecstasy rushed over her. Laura struggled to catch her breath.

 

JC smiled and slowly continued to lap up her juices with his tongue until Laura struggled to sit up and brought his head to eye level.

 

"I want to taste myself on your lips." She smiled as she began to kiss him.

 

Without losing touch with his lips Laura slowly stood up and wrapped her arms around JC's neck and the kisses grew more rapid. JC held on tightly to her ass pushing her against his body so his cock would feel some sort of relief. Laura turned JC around and sat him down in her chair and fell to her knees.   She looked deep into his eyes and gave a devilish grin before breathing gently through her mouth up & down the length of his cock. JC's breath shortened as she continued to tease, always threatening to engulf it, but never quite doing it. She peered up at him and saw his eyes start to glaze over. She smiled and carried on. Laura ran her mouth around the base, smelling the sharp scent of him, so familiar yet exotic. JC arched towards her, and she ran her tongue up the underside of his cock, feeling him stiffen in appreciation. He was rock hard now, and she began to play with him with her lips and tongue and finally concentrated on the head of his cock. Slowly, Laura took the whole length of him into her mouth. She swirled her tongue around the head of his cock in the way that she only knew how, to make him go crazy.  She looked up at him and said, "I love the way that you feel inside my mouth."

 

Suddenly JC took her shoulders and pulled her face up level with his and kissed her deeply. His hands roamed and started to tease her nipples. She could feel herself getting wetter. His hands roamed lower, and her hips gravitated towards his hands as if they were magnetic. He caressed his way around her upper thighs, almost but never quite touching her clit. She begged him to touch her...and nearly exploded when he did.

 

Suddenly, JC had Laura bent over her desk and he slid his fingers inside her. She is was so wet they almost slide out again. JC quickly parted her thighs and thrusts his cock deep inside her. She cried out again, "Fuck me. Oh my god, fuck me...You have no idea how good this feels."

 

JC filled her up to the point where she could no longer think. Disjointed thoughts floated around inside her brain as he fucked her. She loved when he was buried so deep inside her. She loved being a woman and being able to feel so totally fucked, so absolutely taken in every sense. JC slowed down and fingered her clit again. She felt him tense on the brink of exploding and she quickly dug her nails into his thighs. JC bit her neck so hard it almost hurt and she could only imagine what he was feeling as he started to cum. JC cried out as he came....Releasing a torrent inside him. Laura slumped across the desk and could feel him lay across her back. They both felt totally at peace as the clamor inside them quelled...for that moment.

Chapter 6 by DesperateThoughts

Awakened by the sound of a lawn mower nearby, Laura slowly opened her eyes. A familiar scent came across her senses and she smiled as she looked up to see JC lying beneath her. His left arm wrapped around her back and the other arm draped behind Buddy, who was curled up in a ball next to him on the other side of the bed. Laura tried to call to mind how they ended up back at JC's but just smiled when she remembered what they had done in her office on the desk.

 Laura slowly lifted her arm from the side of JC's chest and pet the dog before lightly kissing JC's chest. She looked over at the clock and saw it was 10 am and decided to go back to sleep.

 

"JC are you home?!"

 

Laura quickly opened her eyes at the sound. Was she imagining things? She looked over at Buddy for some sort of reaction to what she thought she had heard, but he was completely still. Laura decided she had been hearing things and rested her head back on JC's chest.

 

"JC are you back here?!" the voice drew closer.

 

JC and Laura immediately sat up in bed. "Oh my God!  It's your mother!" Laura whispered as she jumped out of his bed running back and forth like a maniac. "Where the fuck are my clothes?!" Laura whispered to JC as he rushed to put on his boxers.

 

Knock, Knock. "Are you in here?" his mother said as she slowly opened the door. JC stood there stunned with his t-shirt halfway over his head. He quickly turned around to look at Laura, but she was no where in sight.

 

"Ummm...Hey mom...What are you doing here? JC nervously asked while still looking around the room for any sign of Laura.

 

"You don't know how to answer your phone?" I tried calling you late last night and all of this morning. I swear, you could sleep through a tornado if I'd let you. I came by to make sure you were okay. Laura had told me about how you stormed out of the meeting. You had us all worried when you didn't even bother to call, Joshua."

 

"I'm sorry, mom. I called dad. He must not have given you the message." JC said as he kissed her on the cheek.

 

"You were suppose to call me and let me know you were okay. Not your father. I'm a mother. I need to hear my son's voice to set my fears aside." she said as she walked around the room picking up clothes.

 

"Oh mom, you're overreacting as usual." JC said as he took the clothes out of her hands and  walked into the closet to see if Laura had fled in there.

 

"What are you looking for?"

 

JC jumped at the sound of his mothers voice right behind him. "Nothing! My umm...sneaker...I was going to go running."

 

"Did you try under the bed?" his mother asked as she walked over to the bed and lifted up the blanket as she bent down.

 

"Noo!!...I---" JC couldn't think of the words to say to stop her.

 

"Oh my God!!!!" she screamed. JC quickly turned his head away from his mother's direction.

 

"Mom, I can explain..."

 

"Buddy, you scared the living daylights out of me!" she said as she stood back up with a white robe in her hand. "Explain what JC? Here's your robe...what does LC stand for? Is that a company?" she asked as she handed him the robe.

 

"Its ummm....I ummm....I accidentally took it from one of the hotels I had stayed at..." JC quickly explained as he threw the robe onto the bed.

 

"Why are you sweating? Come on and let me make you something to eat. You look so pale." she said as she took his arm and pulled him out of the room.

 

Buddy quickly ran past them back into the bedroom with his chew toy and crawled back under the bed. The toy went rolling across the floor and buddy scampered back out from under the bed after it. Two arms emerged from beneath the bed and Laura slowly slid out watching the door the entire time. She grabbed her robe and put it on and slowly opened the glass door that led to the pool.

 

"Shit. Shit. Shit." she cursed to herself as she walked back into his room and shut the door. "The kitchen faces the pool....Fuck!" she whispered to herself.  Laura stood there trying to think of how she was going to get out of there without being seen.

 

"So where were you all day and night? I hope you at least got in touch with Laura to let her know you were okay." his mother said as she set down a plate in front of JC at the table.

 

"Yeah mom. I saw her last night when I got back." JC said as he brought the bagel towards his mouth and suddenly froze. JC's mom turned around to see what JC was staring at. "Oh, hey Laura...We must not have heard you come in sweetie?" she stated puzzled.

 

"Hi....Yeah...The side door was open so I let myself in." Laura said as she entered the kitchen wearing an oversized Nike shirt and baggy sweat pants. She had rummaged through JC's closet trying to find something to put on.

"Well don't you look....spiffy." Mrs. Chasez said as she looked her up and down and noticed she wasn't wearing any shoes. JC couldn't help but turn his head downward and laugh lowly to himself. JC's mom brushed her hand against his to make him stop.

 

"Its laundry day, so I'm bumming it. I was watering the plants and decided to come and see what was up with duffus here." Laura smiled as she walked behind JC and messed up his hair with her hand.

 

"Oh." Mrs. Chasez smiled. "I was just telling him how worried I was about him. Get yourself a plate, Hun."

 

"Thanks...Yeah I yelled at him last night about that." Laura said as she walked around the other side of the counter to make sure JC's mom didn't see that the pants she was wearing were about to fall down. She quickly rolled pulled at the drawstring to tighten the waist of the pants before grabbing a plate and joining them at the table.

 

Mrs. Chasez noticed Laura didn't have any juice and decided to get her a glass. "I have told JC over and over again to try and keep his personal life and business separate." she said as she opened the fridge to grab the juice. JC took advantage of his mom's back turned to rub his foot against Laura's under the table and make a kissy face at her. Laura smiled and rubbed back before quickly moving her foot away when his mom's attention was turned back to the both of them.

 

"Oh yeah?" she asked looking towards his mother.

 

"Yeah. I know its hard for him to be that way with Jerry, because it didn't happen all that long ago but I would think JC was man enough to put that aside when it came to his career." she said as she handed Laura the glass.

 

"Well, I have to admit that Jerry did provoke him yesterday, Mrs. Chasez. And Jerry knew what he was doing when he said what he said." she stated before taking a sip of the orange juice.

 

"Yeah. I would hope that I raised him well enough to be the better man and put their feud aside and just focus on the work. I mean just last weekend Rachel was over at the house and she and JC were outside talking for the longest time. They even shared a long hug. Didn't you kiss her before she left?" his mother asked as she turned to JC who almost choked on his food. Laura's mouth dropped open.

 

"Food go down the wrong pipe, sweetie?" his mother asked as she patted his back while he coughed.

 

JC slowly looked up straight into Laura's eyes. "It was only a quick peck good-bye."

 

"Yeah but it was on the lips. I think there might still be something there." she smiled to Laura. Laura shoved a piece of bagel into her mouth and quickly smiled back at his mother.

 

"Wow...JC never told me about that." Laura mummbled as she finished chewing the bagel. 

 

"He didn't?" His mother asked puzzled.

 

"It wasn't a big deal. She was only there dropping off some of my old things." JC tried to explain.

 

"You should have seen his face when he opened our front door and she was standing there. She sat with us and talked for awhile and then she asked JC to walk her outside. They were out there a good 45 minutes. I was hoping that maybe they were thinking of reconciling. You remember how good they were together, Laura?"

 

Laura suddenly snapped out of her daze. "Yeah...They were great together...The best...But I figured that after what happened he wouldn't want to see her again." she said as she stood up to take her plate to the sink.

 

"That's what me and his father thought, but they were out there laughing and smiling and seemed to be getting along great. He looked happier than he has been for a long time when he was out there with her. And I love to see him when he is happy. So full of life...." JC's mom smiled as she remembered back.

 

"We were only talking." JC said defensively as he followed Laura to the sink. He tried to touch her but she quickly moved away. "So you think they will get back together after all that had happened?" Laura asked as she leaned against the back of the bar stool.

 

"Oh I hope so...They were so happy together...I think everyone deserves a second chance. Don't you?" His mother asked her.

 

Laura looked down at the floor. "Yes...Yes I do..."

 

"Mom, we're not getting back together." JC demanded.

 

That's not what it looked like to me and your dad." She teased.

 

"What time is it?" Laura quickly asked.

 

Its almost 11." JC said looking at her for some form of reaction.

 

"Oh wow...I better get going. I have a busy day." Laura said as she bent over and hugged Mrs. Chasez good-bye.

 

"You okay Hun?"

 

"Yeah I'm great. I just didn't know the time went by so fast. I have a lot to do today. I will see you guys later." Laura said as she stumbled out of the back door.

 

"Did I say something wrong? I didn't know you hadn't told her you saw Rachel...I thought you two told each other everything...It must be hard for her to be both your friends and not get caught in the middle"

 

"You didn't do anything wrong mom...She is just under a lot of stress with this new project." JC said. He and his mother watched Laura as she jogged across the yard and disappeared into her house. He wanted to go after her, but couldn't. 'How dumb can you be, Chasez' he thought to himself as he watched her disappear through the fence.

Chapter 7 by DesperateThoughts

"Do You Remember" by Phil Collins streamed through the house. Laura sat curled up on the cushions in the window as she watched the rain come pouring down.

 

"Girl, what are you doing in here?" a voice called out.

 

"Nothing...just thinking." Laura said, never turning her gaze away from the window.

 

"Thinking about what?"

 

Laura took the pillow she was holding and tossed it aside before getting up and turning down the stereo. "Nothing much, Rach. Have ideas running in my mind for some songs."

 

"Oh...Well how the heck have you been?" Rachel asked as she went and sat next to her in the window.

 

"I've been OK. It's been hard to get over there and see you lately. So much going on with work...and..." Laura paused thinking about the words that almost slipped out of her mouth about JC.

 

"I understand. I know you feel stuck in the middle. I also understand that you are closer to JC now. You two are neighbors. Its only expected." Rachel answered patting her friends thigh.

 

Laura looked out across the yard at JC's house. "Yeah...I guess you could say that. So what brings you out of your way over here?" Laura smiled at her.

 

"I wanted to see how my best bud was. I heard about the album deal. Congratulations!" she said as she hugged her.

 

"Thanks."

 

Rachel sat there for a moment and turned her gaze out the window. Laura could see her looking towards JC's. "He's okay...Just in case you were wondering."

 

"...Yeah...I know. I saw him last weekend...Didn't he tell you?"

 

"Nope...Didn't tell me a thing." she said sarcastically. "What happened?"

 

"I didn't want to bring his old things over to his house, so I decided to drop them off at his mom's. Well I didn't know he was there until I pulled into the driveway and saw his car. And I didn't want to chicken out so I took a deep breath and knocked on the door." Rachel stood up and walked over to the piano and looked at the photos that were sitting there. Photos of the three of them together. Photos of Laura next to JC and the rest of the group at different award ceremonies....Photos from family gatherings. She remember how close they had all been back then as memories came flooding back. Rachel sat back down next to her friend in the window and continued with her story.  "He answered and was completely shocked to see me. And you know how his mom dotes all over me when I'm there."

 

Laura rolled her eyes while nodding her head in agreement as she remembered her earlier conversation with his mother.  Laura tried not to be too obvious with the jealousy that was  mounting inside her as Rachel continued the story.

 

"She didn't want me to leave but I could see JC felt awkward with me around. I asked him to walk me out to my car. We talked for awhile. I had told him that I had missed things like that. He said he missed the same things. We talked some more and to make a long story short I gave him a hug and left."

 

Laura felt uneasy with Rachel's avoidance. "To make a long story short? You usually give me every single detail, Rach."

 

"Yeah I know, but I didn't want to bore you with the particulars."

 

Laura looked over at her friend and laughed. "Now you know you're lying. Come on in the kitchen while I get us a drink so I can hear all about it."

 

Laura took deep breaths as she walked into the kitchen, trying to mentally prepare herself for what was soon to come.  Part of Laura didn't want to hear anything else about their encounter, but the other part of her wanted to know everything.  She couldn't stand not knowing.  Rachel smiled and soon followed her into the kitchen. "Okay...Now I didn't know how to take a lot of things that he said to me...So I'm hoping you will be able to interpret since the two of you are so close now." Rachel said as she sat on the bar stool and took the lid off the jar and grabbed a brownie.

 

Laura poured a few extra splashes of wine in her glass so that she could deal with what she was about to hear. "Sure...Ask away." she replied slowly while taking a large gulp of her wine.

 

"Well he kept staring at me like he wanted to say something more to me. And when we hugged....It seemed as if we didn't want to let each other go...And the fact that he actually kissed me on the lips and not on the cheek was also something that took me by surprise...But I went for the lips too...So I..." Rachel continued to ramble on about what had happened between she and JC outside his parents house. Laura just sat there wondering how much more of it she would be able to take.

 

"So? What do you think?" Rachel asked, anticipating feedback.

 

Laura cleared her throat and began to speak, "Well...The two of you were together for 3 years. I'm sure it would be impossible for the both of you to just forget all the good times you had together. But as far as anything still being there?"

 

"Oh Laura...Are you trying to be the neutral party? The way he was looking at me brought back feelings of the times when the room could be filled with a crowd of people as we felt like we were the only two there..."

 

"Well I really don't know, Rachel. I was not there. I was only giving my opinion. If you didn't want it, then you shouldn't have asked for it!" she snapped.

 

"What's your problem?" Rachel replied as she placed her hand on Laura's arm.

 

"I'm just confused about what you expect me to tell you. Do you want me to tell you to go ahead and try to get back together with JC? Do you want me to tell you its okay and that everything you did in the past was alright? Because I'm sorry...I just can't. I can't be the one to make it better on your conscience, Rachel. You didn't have to see how he was after all that drama went down. You didn't sit up late at night with him...Consoling him....Knowing that he would be crushed if he knew the real truth. You didn't have to keep secrets from your best friend to protect his feelings. I have to live with that everyday...Not you! You are going on with your daily life and you are leaving everyone to pick up the pieces after you sweep through the area. I'm sorry but I am not going to do it anymore." Laura angrily said as she got up from the table and walked over to the sink.

 

Rachel watched as Laura angrily started running water in the sink. She slowly wiped the brownie crumbs from the side of her mouth and began to speak. "I'm sorry, Laura. I didn't mean to make it seem like I wanted your approval. I was just looking for my friends opinion on what he might have been thinking. I know what I did was fucked up but its in the past. There really isn't anything I can do about it now except hope that he forgives me and pray that you will also forgive me for leaving you to fix things for me."

 

Laura turned around and walked over to the middle island resting her palm against the granite countertop.  "I'm sorry I blew up like that. I just have a lot on my mind and I am very stressed out right now."

 

"I understand...Well enough about me...Tell me what you have been up to! I see you have changed the house around since the last time I was here. Come show me!" Rachel said as she jumped off the stool, grabbed her friends arm and pulled her down the hall.

 

"Oh what's this? Your office? Whoa! What the hell happened up in here?" Rachel joked.

 

"Oh...Ummm..." Laura tried to think of an excuse but was soon cut off when Rachel picked up a pair of swimming trunks off the floor.

 

"And who do these belong to?" Rachel grinned.

 

"No one." Laura quickly said as she grabbed them from Rachel's hand.

 

"Uh huh...sure! You was fuckin' up in here...Ain't no doubt about it by the looks of the desk and papers scattered all over the place...Who's the guy?" Rachel asked as she shook her friend by the shoulders.

 

Laura's face turned red. "No one really. Its too early to tell if it will go anywhere, so I would rather just keep it to myself for now."

 

"I'll get it out of you sooner or later." Rachel laughed. Laura finished showing her the rest of the house and they both decided to go out and have dinner. Laura ran to take a quick shower and let Rachel have free reign over the television while she was gone.

 

"Laura!? Laura...We need to talk. Laur--...Oh, hey Rachel." JC said as he walked into the room.

 

"Hi. She's in the shower."

 

"Oh okay...Been here long?" JC said as he went and sat on the couch across from her.

 

"Most of the day." Rachel said as she turned off the television. "Did you need something in particular?"

 

JC looked at her with a puzzled look on his face then realized what she meant. "Oh...No...I just needed to talk to her about something."

 

"It sounded important by the way you were saying her name."

 

"Not really.' he lied. "I needed to talk to her about the project."

 

"I heard. Congratulations on that. I'm very happy for you."

 

"Thanks." They both sat in awkward silence for a couple minutes before Rachel spoke. "JC? Can we talk about what happened at your parents?"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Laura walked down the hallway buttoning up her shirt and as she was looking up said, "K, Rach, I'm reaaa....dddyyy."

 

She froze in place as she saw JC and Rachel in an embrace. She didn't know how to react. She didn't know what to say. "Should I give you a few more minutes?" she asked. JC looked up at saw her standing there. He quickly stepped back.

 

"No, I'm ready. JC was just leaving. I was saying good-bye." Rachel smiled as she went to get her purse.

 

"Oh." Laura answered as she stared at JC.

 

"I came by to talk to you about something and we bumped into each other." he tried to explain.

 

"So I noticed." Laura replied.

 

"I'll go start the car, Laura. We'll talk later, JC?" Rachel asked as she walked toward the front door. JC nodded his head in reply.

 

Laura grabbed her shoes and jacket from the closet and sat down on the bench by the door.

 

"It's not what you think." JC said as he followed her to the bench.

 

"What am I thinking?" Laura said as she scrambled to put on her shoes.

 

"I don't know...But the look on your face makes me think you're upset with me."

 

"Then I guess you are a good face reader." She said as she stood up to find her keys. JC went to grab her arm. Laura quickly yanked it away, "Don't!"

 

"It was only a hug, Laura..and a quick peck on the lips...Nothing more."

 

"You think I am upset about a hug? You think that is what has me so angry with you? I don't know whether I want to slash all your tires or punch you in the face." Laura whispered loudly as she looked towards the door to make sure Rachel was no where in sight. "You fuckin saw her last weekend!! Which was 5 days ago and you said nothing about it. So that leads me to think that if I wouldn't have found out from your mother, you would have never told me...There was something else going on in your mind about what you just called only a hug and peck on the lips."

 

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, Laura...I need to explain this to you."

 

"Why don't you explain it to Rachel when you two talk later on." Laura snapped back.

 

"Please look at me..." JC said as he grabbed her at the door.

 

"Let go of my arm." Laura said, never turning around to look at him. She gained back her composure and took a deep breath before walking towards the car with a fake smile plastered on her face.

Chapter 8 by DesperateThoughts

"Is something wrong? You hardly touched your food."

 

"Just have some things on my mind, Rach. I just don't have much of an appetite right now." Laura answered as she forked around in her pasta.

 

"Is it about JC?"

 

Laura quickly looked up at her puzzled. "What do you mean?"

 

"I could cut the tension in the room with a knife, Laura. I know what happened the last time with you being stuck in the middle and I promise that I won't do that to you now. Especially since the two of you are working together and are even closer now then you ever have been." Rachel said as she sipped her wine. "I know it must have been a shock to see us hugging. I'm sure you got scared about things happening all over again, but believe me, its nothing like that."

 

"Really, it didn't bother me to see you two hugging. I was just surprised. And yes I was a bit worried about how things with the two of you would affect my working relationship with JC, but its really not a problem." Laura lied.  It bothered her down to her core to see them together.

 

"I hope not. I don't want to jeopardize anything for you and I certainly don't want to jeopardize our friendship again. I appreciate the fact that you kept your promise to me and have never told JC what really happened."

 

Laura sat and remembered back and could feel her stomach churning. She was disgusted with herself. "I made a promise to you. It would do more damage than good if I were to tell him about that now. So lets just leave it in the past."

 

Laura and Rachel finished dinner and headed back to the house. "I'll call you next week after you get back so we can hang out!" Rachel yelled as she was backing out of the driveway."

 

"Okay!" Laura yelled back.

 

As Laura walked into the house she saw a note sitting on the table in the foyer.

 

Laura,

I realize you may not want to speak to me right now, but I really need to explain all this to you. Please call me when you get home.

JC

 

Laura balled up the note and threw it into the trash before changing into a bathing suit and going into her backyard to soak in the hot tub. Laura let her head fall back against the head cushion and gazed up at the stars. After the jets stopped running, she could hear faint laughter in the distance and recognized Rachel's voice. Laura quickly got out and slowly walked over to her tall wooden fence to hear what was going on. As she looked through the crack of the fence she could see JC and Rachel sitting outside at the table.

 

Laura was straining to try and hear them speaking...Any word would have been nice to help her find out what was going on. She would notice Rachel leaning over the table and placing her hand over JC's. Laura could also see that JC was not physically responding to Rachel, which temporarily set aside her fears.  She soon noticed more laughter and looked through the crack and saw the two of them get up and walk inside the house.

 

She watched them walk through the kitchen and down the hallway. There could only be two places they could be going...The piano room or JC's bedroom. Laura's heart was pounding. When the coast was clear she quickly ran across JC's yard to the side of the house to see where they went. A light suddenly came on in JC's bedroom. Laura quickly ducked down.

"I didn't get a chance to get them back to you. They are right here in my closet. I put everything in a box for you." a male voice uttered.

 

Laura noticed that JC's window was open a crack and she continued to listen.

 

"I would have thought you would have thrown all this stuff away." Rachel said as she sat on the bed and looked through the box. "Oh my God. The diamond bracelet you bought me for my birthday?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"I thought I'd lost it."

 

"Buddy actually found it a little while ago. He came in the room with it stuck in his mouth."

Laura could see JC smiling as he watched Rachel continue to go through the box.

 

"What's in here?" Rachel said as she opened up a tiny box. "Oh, JC...I can't keep this."

 

"It's yours Rachel. Even though I gave it to you with the intentions of marrying you...I still gave it to you. You can do what you want with it, but as far as I'm concerned its yours." JC said as he handed the ring back to her.

 

Rachel held it in her hand and got up and walked over to JC. "I love you, JC. No matter what has happened in the past I never stopped loving you. I will always love you." she said as she went to hug him.

 

JC hugged her tightly, "I love you too. But its not the same love that I once had for you. I will always love you, there is no doubt about that Rachel, but its turned into a different type of love. Its going to take me a while to get passed all that has happened. So I need the space and time to heal."

 

"I understand. I just wanted you to know that." Rachel said as she ran her thumbs up his cheeks.

 

"I used to love when you did that to my face." JC smiled as he put his hands over hers and kissed her palms. The sprinklers suddenly came on and Laura was being sprayed with shots of cold water to her lower back. She couldn't hear what they were saying over the noises of the sprinklers. As she went to move closer her foot slid from beneath her "Ahhh.." she cried out as she went to the ground and ended up in a split position in the wet grass which was turning into mud.

Laura noticed she had yelled loudly and quickly got up to retreat back to her house. She ran through the sprinklers and slid again and fell onto her face. She quickly got up and ran to her fence quickly shutting it behind her so she wouldn't be seen.

 

As she reached her sliding glass doors she could see her reflection and scrunched up her face. She was covered in mud. She grabbed a towel from the lounge chair and set in on the floor in the kitchen before standing on it in her muddy flip flops and sliding across the floor to the laundry room where she took off her clothes and threw them in the washing machine.

 

Laura stood in the shower just letting the water run over her head while she thought about what JC and Rachel had said to one another before her snooping was cut short. All she could see was JC kissing Rachel's palms so lovingly. He seemed to look at Rachel the same way he would look at her when they were together.

 

When she got out of the shower Laura threw on her robe and went in the kitchen and made herself some tea. She walked down the corridor to her office and walked in the dark over to her desk to turn on the light. When the light switched on she screamed out in terror.

Chapter 9 by DesperateThoughts

What the hell are doing? Coming up in here and sitting in the dark like that?!" she yelled as she threw her towel at him.

 

Me? Look who's talking." he sat motionlessly staring at her as he continued to speak. "Or should I call the cops and let them know I have a different stalker now.  One who shares your name and has the same necklace with their name across it?" JC slowly leaned forward and placed the necklace on the desk.

 

"What are you talking about?" she asked nonchalantly.

 

"Oh Puh-leez." JC said. "You're actually going to stand there and act like you weren't spying an hour ago?

 

"I don't know what you are talking about." she replied trying not to smirk.

 

"You know...You could have just asked me." JC said as he stood up and walked around the desk and placed his hands on her arms and slid them down to entwine their fingers. Laura quickly backed away and started to clean up the mess they had made the night before.

 

"It's not that easy, JC. I am not one of your groupies that you used to play mind games with. You can't just flash a smile my way and expect me to forget shit. I'm not Rachel either...You can't just buy me a car or a few diamond rings and all is forgiven." she said as she furiously grabbed papers and pens off the floor.

 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa..." JC said, completely at a loss for words.

 

"Look, just don't come in here acting like everything between us is okay when it really isn't. Don't stand there and say I should have just asked rather than spy. Obviously you didn't feel I needed to know that bit of information about you seeing Rachel."  Laura threw his swim trunks at him.  "Here you go...You know the way out." She said as she turned off the light, leaving JC in the dark. She walked into the den and placed a CD in the stereo and sat down looking at sheet music. She could feel his presence in the room but did not turn around to acknowledge him.

 

"I didn't tell you because I was afraid."

 

"Afraid of what?" Laura asked never turning around.

 

"Afraid that I would jeopardize us...But even more afraid that I may still want her back in my life."

 

Laura suddenly stopped reading and looked down at the floor. "I see." she replied trying to choke back the emotions. She had never expected him to say that.  She was completely thrown off guard. 

 

JC walked further into the den and sat on the piano bench and continued to speak. "For a big part of my life, she was everything to me and more. All this other shit isn't that far in the past for me to have just thrown away all my feelings I had for her. I thought I had been doing so well...Especially when you and I were together." he said as he went to sit next to her on the couch.

 

Laura quickly moved away from him and motioned her arms for him to stay back. "Seeing her threw me for a loop. Up until that very moment when I saw her at the door, I thought I was fine. Then all these emotions came rushing back over me. Some good, some bad...But they were there. I didn't want to hurt you. But thoughts of her would always creep back into my mind. I tossed it away and tried not to think of it again. I thought that I was just thinking of her in retrospect...And I was right, Laura."

 

JC got on his knees in front of her. Swaying his body from left to right, he followed her head, trying to get her to look at him. He grabbed her hands and placed his over them.  "This thing between you and me is new. In respecting your wishes not to tell anyone about us, I sometimes feel neglected. Times when I want to just grab you, kiss you, hug you, or hold you, I have to make sure it's okay first.  It's very complicated for the both of us right now...I know. I guess I was just trying to remember the times when my life wasn't such a mess."

 

Laura sucked in her teeth at what he was saying. She could still picture him and Rachel. Rachel's hands on his face. JC kissing her palms....Laura snapped out of her trance when JC brought her hands closer to his face. "But my feelings for you have not changed. I truly believe that seeing her again has made me love you even more...If that's even possible."

 

Laura went to speak but JC covered her lips with his finger. "I'm very sorry that I did not tell you that I had seen Rachel. I didn't want things to get even more complicated between us. I didn't want what you are feeling right now to even exist when you are with me. I should have been honest and told you anyway and I didn't. But I promise you that from this day on, I will tell you everything...No matter what."

 

Laura pulled at JC's arm to get him off the floor. She turned her body to face him on the couch. "I apologize for acting like a 13 year old when I stupidly tried to spy on you and my best friend. But to be honest, you challenged my trust. And that was why I did that. To see or hear what actually happens and then to hear you tell me yourself was what I was attempting to do...Wanting to see if I could trust you with her after you kept that little bit of information from me. Especially to feel stupid in front of people that know I am the 'go-to-girl' when it comes to you. I'm sure if someone asked me how many times you piss during the day I could easily tell them 8." Laura joked.

 

JC smiled. Laura smiled back and slowly leaned forward and kissed his cheek. JC went to return the kiss but she moved back. "I think for right now we both shouldn't continue this relationship.

 

JC never saw that coming. "What?!" he asked loudly.

 

Laura was very calm and was still smiling. "Chill...You are still dealing with some issues with your past, present and future. Rachel is also my best friend. Its hard to hear about you from her and hear about her from you...Now I just confused myself with whatever the hell I just said. But, basically I want to take a step back and evaluate things. We have this album deal to work on together and I don't want things to fuck that up. So I think for the next 5 months we should just go back to how things were and not get sucked into being best friends and lovers.

 

JC started to laugh hysterically. "You really think you can physically hold off for that long?"

 

"Yep" Laura smiled.

 

"Well if that is what you want, then that is what you shall get, baby." JC said as he stood up to leave.

 

"That's it? No argument?"

 

"No. I think its a good idea...Pal." he paused said with a deep grin on his face as he patted the side of her shoulder. "Well my friend, I must be going. I have a big day tomorrow...You know how it is living the single life."

 

Laura stood there puzzled as he walked out of the den towards the back door to leave. The light finally went off in her head and she ran after him. "You don't think I can do it, do you?!"

 

JC turned around with the same deep grin and just waved. "We'll see, baby. You better snuggle up in your bed alone tonight. It's suppose to get chilly around here rather soon. Night!"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The next few weeks were torture. JC and Laura would be in his basement studio and every chance he got, he would make sexual remark or brush up against Laura in just the right ways that he knew would drive her insane.  She would go over to his house to see him at her usual times during the day and he would always end up greeting her wearing just a towel or anything else that showed off his body. Laura just decided to focus her mind on other things...Like just how good his body would feel up against hers. She was in agony and she knew he was literally getting off at the fact that she was becoming stir crazy without his lips and arms around her.

 

JC knew exactly what he was doing and was enjoying every minute of it. He never agreed with the separation, but instead of fighting it, he decided to use it to his advantage. And he was happier and happier each day when he saw her squirm. Laura knew if she fought back in retaliation it would just make the sexual tension even more intense than it already was, and she would be sure to lose the battle.

 

She soon got a break from all of his incessant flirtations when he went away with the guys for a few radio promotions around the states. She would have a full 2 weeks to herself. She had actually survived a month without sex...Without sex with JC. Who would have thunk it?

 

Laura got a great deal of writing done and even got a chance to spend more time with Rachel. At one time she and Rachel were like Siamese twins...Inseparable. She had missed it. She missed being able to really bitch and moan about men and how she always needed excessive amounts of Midol, chocolate and junk food when her period came around. She couldn't sit and veg out with JC when that happened. He would get all weird around her and act as though she were a leper. Laura tried to stay neutral during the entire breakup, but it was hard. She knew the truth behind things and consoled one friend more than the other. It soon caused a rift and the balance in their friendships was altered. She was now trying to salvage the bond she once had with Rachel.

 

Rachel was a big art fan. Anytime a show would come into town, she would be the first to get exclusive tickets to special events and showings. Rachel had sent Laura a pair right before JC left in case they wanted to check it out one day while they were in the city working. JC was away and he had his ticket somewhere. She never stayed on the phone with him long enough to find out. They would start off by talking about their days events and JC's voice would suddenly get a little deeper and his breathing pattern would start to change and she could hear moaning in the background. Obviously a porno he had ordered in his hotel room to get through those lonely nights without her. And right when he would ask her what she was wearing, she suddenly would have to take Buddy for a walk or go to sleep. So instead of putting herself through anymore grief she decided not to waste her art pass and decided to just go alone.

 

She checked her watch as she ran up the cement steps and in through the revolving doors.

 

'Damn, why am I always late?' she mumbled to herself.

 

Stopping in the middle of the lobby, she looked around in awe at the high ceilings that housed skylights and stained glass. On a sunny day this place must be really magical, she thought. The weather outside was still undecided but would probably turn into a storm. The morning had brought a little blue sky and the sun had tried to show itself but it seemed that the dull gray sky had won the battle and now storm clouds were threatening to share.

 

Moving to the Information Desk, she patiently waited her turn. The woman behind the desk appeared to be in the wrong job for customer service. Each question that was asked was given a snippy reply; the only thing missing was her rolling her eyes and calling the person stupid. There should be a law where women who have severe PMS get to stay home from their jobs and torture only the ones who really love them. Finally she stood face to face with the woman across the counter and braced herself for her reply.

 

"I have a pass for the Montgomery Exhibit that was scheduled to leave at 2:00 and I was wondering where to go to meet up with the group." She smiled sweetly thinking that might help.  The woman, who was wearing a name tag that said her name was Lucy, sighed and shook her head as if in total disgust. "And what time is it now?" Lucy asked in her own special way.

"Well, that big old clock behind you says it's 2:23, so that'll be my guess." She figured that sarcasm would be wasted on Lucy, but gave it a shot anyway.

 

"The tour left promptly at 2:00 and if you'll check your pass and read it, you'll see that they do not accept late arrivals." Lucy said, and then added, with a cruel smile on her face. "Perhaps next time we should leave the house a little earlier."

She stared at Lucy and wondered if the woman was worth her time. Actually, since she couldn't join the tour group, she did have some time on her hands but since there was a long line of people behind her just waiting for Lucy's abuse so she just smiled her best smile at Lucy and asked. "Did you used to work for the government?" and then walked away.

 

Laura didn't want to waste her day, so she bought herself a coffee and grabbed a pamphlet that contained a list of other exhibits at the art museum.  She sat on a bench near a huge fountain and read it. After scanning the list she sighed and frowned. This was the last day that the Montgomery Exhibit could be viewed here before it moved on to the next city. She looked down at her pass and considered giving it back to Lucy in a place that wouldn't exactly be comfortable.

 

Crossing her legs and adjusting her skirt, she leaned back and sipped her coffee, watching the crowds of people entering and leaving. She hoped she'd bump into Rachel, but knew her friend was off shooting a fragrance commercial on the other side of town.  Her eyes scanned the long lineup of people who just couldn't get enough of Lucy. She watched as the man in the front of the line listened, shook his head and then turned away from the desk, looking discouraged. He must have felt her eyes on him because he looked up and shrugged his shoulders, smiled and then headed to where she was sitting. He moved with a grace that she had always admired. It was hard to describe the movement but it projected self-confidence, something that couldn't be taught or mimicked, they just either had it or didn't. This man definitely had it.

 

He was a little over 6 feet tall and toned. His dark brown hair complimented his tanned face and added to his rugged good looks. She guessed him to be around 26 years old but it was hard to tell. He had dressed very casually in a pair of jeans and a button down, deep green cotton shirt.

He made a motion towards Lucy with his head, "I'm guessing she was once part of a military operation gone bad," he said in a voice that made her stomach do a flip flop.

"I guessed ex-government employee, but you're probably more accurate." she replied, flashing him a smile. He laughed and asked if he could sit with her. She would have been disappointed if he didn't and she nodded.

 

Leaning back against the bench he crossed his long legs and sighed. "You know, my friend gave me a free pass for the Montgomery Exhibit a month ago and I kept meaning to get here and the day that I finally get back into town and have some time to myself, I miss it! And it's the last damn day to see it too." He looked at her and smiled. "Sorry, just venting here." He held out his hand and added, "My name is Rick."

 

'Hmmm??' She thought quietly to herself.  She was completely confused.  Placing her hand in his she felt a jolt pass through her body that felt like she had just stuck her finger in an electrical outlet. Had he felt it too?  "I'm Laura and I missed the exhibit by exactly 23 minutes. You can ask Lucy, she'll back me up on that one."

 

He laughed and said he would take her word on it.  She shook his hand and looked into his eyes that were staring back into hers. They released hands, reluctantly on both sides and just took each other in, neither embarrassed by their open stares.

Finally he broke the silence. "Well Laura, this is how I see it. We could go over to that security guard that is blocking the entrance to the exhibit and bribe our way in or better yet, you could distract him with that killer smile of yours and I could slip in. Our other option is we could pick another exhibit and view it together, if you'd like."

 

She knew that she would follow him anywhere and suggested another exhibit because the security guard, who was probably about 90 years old, didn't really do anything for her. She handed him the list and watched him scan the other selections with much thought. He asked if she had seen anything that looked remotely interesting but she hadn't and suggested he select one.

"Okay," he said, turning his attention back to the flyer and looking very serious for a moment. "Got it!"

 

"And the winner is?"

 

"Recycled!" he replied trying to hold back a smile.

 

"You've got to be kidding. You want to go from Montgomery to garbage?" She laughed. "Isn't that taking a step in the wrong direction?"

 

"Come on," he pleaded, "you young people these days just can't seem to open your minds to new ideas. Think about it Laura, you put out your garbage once a week and have never viewed it as true art and now you have a chance."

 

She knew he was teasing her and decided to call his bluff, "Okay, let's go then 'Old Timer' and you can show me how my trash can be turned into cash."

 

"You've got to be kidding" he repeated her words, searching her face for a hint of humor. She shook her head and stood up, tossing her half-empty coffee cup into the trash can.

 

"Geeze, maybe I should have kept that." She tried to look serious.

 

He laughed and stood up beside her and looked around for the entrance to their destination. At 5"4 she had to look up at him and decided that the view from down there was just as good.

 

"Whew, thank God, I see it over there." He pointed to the far right. "For a moment I thought you'd have to go ask Miss

Congeniality over at the Information Desk for directions while I waited."

 

He touched her arm lightly and led her over to the gate and while he was purchasing two tickets, he explained that dinner that evening would be on her. The words 'on her' brought all sorts of images to her mind that involved several spreadable foods and she quickly shook those thoughts away. They passed through the gates, picking up a pamphlet about the exhibit and were suddenly surrounded by someone's personal view of the world.

 

The first piece was very interesting, the sign saying that it was called 'Hope'. Apparently "Hope" used to be a bicycle and a lawnmower that had been in a serious accident and it was the artist's hope that there were survivors. She walked around it and touched one of the tire tubes.  He was reading the sign and looked up, "Hey watch it! The 'you break it you bought it' rule applies here."

 

She pulled her hand away from it quickly and laughed. They moved on to the next piece and she watched as he stood back, placing one arm across his chest while resting his other one on it and rubbing his chin. He looked like he was really pondering it. She moved in closer to get a good look at it and wondered what he found so interesting about it. Finally she asked him what he was thinking.

 

"Oh I was just thinking that I threw out some very valuable stuff when I cleaned out the garage a few months ago." He dropped his arms and smiled at her as he jammed his hands in his pockets.

 

As they moved from object to object they talked about themselves with an amazing ease for two people that had just 'met'. Outside the storm had taken over. Lightening flashed and thunder crashed. From inside you could hear the wind whistling and the rain pounding against the skylights. She looked up at the water smashing and then running down against the glass, wondering if there was a broken umbrella hidden somewhere in this exhibit that she would borrow.

 

They entered another room that held the artist's smaller pieces. Several were placed on stands scattered around the room, making it look like an obstacle course.

 

"Wow, look at this one!" he exclaimed. "I've been looking for something to put on my coffee table."

 

"Looks like it used to be one." she commented, leaning over to study it while he stood back and studied her butt.

The piece was valued at five hundred dollars and she told him that she would personally run over her own coffee table with her car and sell it to him for a mere two hundred. He told her she had no appreciation for true art and they moved on.

The lights started to flicker and a voice came over the speakers telling them that if the lights went out the building was equipped with emergency lights that would help them find their way safely back to the lobby. As if on cue, the lights flickered again and then went out, leaving them in total darkness.

 

She could feel him close beside her. Feeling the heat from his body and the familiar scent of his cologne made her head spin. Suddenly his hand took hers.  "I think we are emergency light challenged back here. With the next big flash of lightning we should head over to our right where there is a bench." He squeezed her hand gently.

 

She mumbled 'okay' as she tried to stop her body and mind from reacting to his touch.

 

Seconds later there was a series of lightning flashes that lit the room enough for them to maneuver around the displays and make their way to the bench. She sat down and he sat very close to her, resting his arm on the back of the bench behind her, his fingertips lightly stroking her shoulder.

"There's nothing more romantic than a big storm, a beautiful woman and a room full of recycled garbage, I always say."

 

"You need to get out more" she replied and he laughed.

 

His touch was burning into her skin, setting it on fire. She knew what she wanted to do but wasn't quite sure how to approach the subject. Not being one to shy away but wanting to remain tactful she took a deep breath and said. "I always say, make the most out of every situation."

 

"Funny" he replied "that's the second thing I always say."

 

He moved sideways and touched her cheek, leaning in and kissed her lips softly. Her arms moved around his neck as she turned and returned his kiss, her body melting against his. Their kisses grew from gentle and soft to hard and passionate, each letting the other know that their earlier feeling about each other had been mutual. In the distance they could hear people making their way back to the lobby, chattering about the fierceness of the storm and being thankful for the emergency lights. She could think of two people that were thankful for the lack of light right now.

Chapter 10 by DesperateThoughts

His tongue moved between her lips, ran across her smooth teeth and continued to explore her mouth as her tongue stroked his. He moaned as he put his large hands on the back of her head and wove his fingers into her long brown hair, pulling her closer to him. With their chests pressed together, their hearts pounded so hard that they were both positive that the other person could feel theirs.  Hands explored as their surroundings became irrelevant. The storm continued making it's strength known outside but there was an inner storm between them that would give the one outside a run for its money. He put his hands on her waist and pulled her sideways onto his lap, his fingers moving up and down her bare thighs. She mentally applauded herself for not wearing nylons.

 

"So...Umm..Rick...Why didn't you tell me you were in town?"

 

"I wanted to surprise you, baby."

 

"You just wanted to tease me, JC...I mean...Rick..." Laura grinned.

 

"Don't call me Rick anymore...I feel like we're cheating on each other. I don't know whether to be jealous of myself or mad that you would do such naughty things with a stranger in public." JC said as he paused from role playing.

 

"Tsk..Tsk..Tsk..We're not cheating...We're not even dating right now. So no worries, JC." Laura smiled pulling his head down, she kissed across his cheek to his ear and sucked on his earlobe before capturing it between her teeth and gently tugging on it while her tongue flicked at it.

 

He moaned and whispered, "If you don't stop that Missy, you'll be sorrier than I know you already are for keeping this body away from me."

 

This statement only made her suck and pull harder. He let out a little mock growl and pushed her thighs apart, running the palm of his hand against her inner thigh until his thumb touched her wet panties, which inspired a real growl from his throat.

Lying across him and pressed hard against his body didn't give her a lot of room to explore but the thought of shifting positions was halted by his thumb rubbing against her panties. The harder he rubbed, the more his thumb disappeared along with her panties, between her pussy lips. His lips were in her hair as she moved down a little and licked at his neck, finding a particularly sensitive spot near the base of his throat that made him grip her tighter and rub a little harder.

 

"That's it! God you know where to get me each time!" He growled and grabbed her around the waist and held her up until she was standing on the bench, a foot on each side of his legs. She put her hands against the wall for support as his hands moved up her legs, pushing her skirt up with them until it was around her waist. His mouth was suddenly against the top of her pussy, his warm breath seeping into her skin, causing her legs to shake. He held onto her thighs as he began to suck on her lips through the material, mixing the wetness from his lips with the moisture coming from hers. She closed her eyes and moaned when his fingers roughly pushed the crotch of her panties aside and ran his tongue up her slit. He moaned in apparent appreciation of either her shaved pussy or the taste of her, perhaps both.

 

Moving his head back and forth, he pushed his face in deep and latched onto her clit with his lips and began sucking on it hard, pulling it deeply into his mouth while his tongue pressed against it. His hands moved up to her ass cheeks, spreading them apart and then squeezing them back together. With shaking legs she managed to grind her pussy against his face, loving the feeling of his stiff tongue entering her for a brief second and then lapping mercilessly against her swollen clit. Holding the wall for support, she placed one foot up on the back of the bench, opening her pussy wide over JC's mouth. Her open invitation was not lost on him as he squeezed her ass cheeks, pulling her right down on his face as he fucked her with his tongue. She felt like she was going to fall and leaned her forehead against the wall, shutting her eyes tight and rocking against him. As the wave started to overtake her body, she dug her nails into the wall and scratched downward. Her legs stiffened and every muscle in her body was screaming for release.

 

"Oh God" she moaned and tightened her thighs against his head so hard that he couldn't move. Her body shook and she came hard against his mouth, biting her lower lip to suppress a scream. When the wave lessened her thighs released his head and he happily lapped up the cream. Leaning against the wall and breathing hard, she was startled by the lightning flashing through the room. The fact that someone could be watching them had never crossed her mind until that moment. Of course, that thought turned her on even more.

 

"Should we look for the lobby now?" JC asked from below. Pushing herself away from the wall, she stepped down off the bench and reached down to touch his huge hard on that was struggling to get out from his jeans.

 

"And waste this?" she asked in a shocked voice.

 

It was hard to calculate how much time they had before either the lights went on or before they were arrested for public indecency and carted off to jail. Her fingers worked quickly to undo his button and release the zipper. She pushed the flaps back and pulled his briefs down, pulling out his hard, swollen cock. She stroked it lovingly for a moment, listening to him sigh. She was about to lean over and take him in her mouth when he grabbed her hips again and pulled her back onto his lap, this time straddling his legs. Her knees were on the bench, his cock right below her pussy, waiting.

 

Leaning over she kissed him, tasting herself on his skin. As she kissed him she moved her hips back and forth, letting the head of his cock slide against her soaked lips. He moaned against her mouth and held her hips tightly, trying to pull her down on him. She fought him and continued to tease his cock as it became wet and started to slide between her lips.

 

After a month of torture, self control was no longer one of her strong points and she moved her hips forward until she could feel his cock at her opening and with one quick movement she pushed her knees out and slammed down hard on his cock. They both moaned and held still, embracing the feeling of his hard cock buried deep in her tight pussy.

 

Holding the back of the bench she used it to pull herself up and down, his hands on her hips doing the same. Letting go of the bench, she moved his hands to her ass cheeks and then grasped the bench again, pulling herself up and then dropping hard against him. The zipper of his jeans felt cold and rough against her thighs as she started to move faster and faster, his cock throbbing and twitching inside her as he raised his hips to meet her downward thrusts.

 

His hands pulled her cheeks apart again as he slid a finger between them feeling how wet her ass had become thanks to her dripping pussy. He returned the favor of her previous attack on him and just plunged his finger deep into her ass. She cried out so loud that he had to quickly move his other hand up and clamp it over her mouth as she moaned and stopped moving, her pussy tightening around his cock. He moved his finger out slowly and then plunged it back in again and she bit the palm of his hand but didn't stop moving. She varied between moving up and down and rocking back and forth. Just when he felt like he was getting the rhythm she would change it, driving him insane. This was her ultimate revenge for the month of agony he put her through. He took his hand away from her mouth and made a mental note to discuss her unfair tactics with her later.

She pushed down on his cock and then back against his finger that was furiously fucking her ass. There was no turning back when she felt her orgasm approaching. Releasing her weight off her knees, she sat hard against his cock and rocked back and forth as JC thrust his cock and finger in and out of her at the same time.

 

Leaning her head back, a sound came from deep inside her throat emerged from her lips causing JC's hand to cover it once again. She bit him again as she shuddered and screamed, her orgasm striking like a powerful blow. When she stopped making noise, he removed his hand and slapped her ass hard for biting him.

 

"Oh baby." She whispered, moving off his lap.

 

"Lar....Laura....get back here" he pleaded, reaching out for her and pulling her by her hips back on top of him, realizing then that she had turned around. Bending over and reaching back she placed his cock between her ass cheeks and then slowly backed down on him. She moaned loudly and there was nothing he could do to stop her. The feeling of her extremely tight ass around his cock was enough to make him lose it. He held her hips and pulled her down, driving himself into only once deeply and he couldn't hold it back any longer. She felt his forehead banging against her back as he jerked under her, his fingers digging hard into her hips and his low, deep moans were smothered against her back as he came. He leaned back and they were both still shaking when the emergency lights finally went on. As he looked down to see his cock embedded in between her creamy cheeks he wished they could just live on this bench.

 

She pulled herself off of him and quickly pulled down her skirt, smoothing it down her legs and then ran her fingers through her hair as she watched him stand up, shove his still semi-hard cock back into his jeans and do the zipper back up. Looking down at his crotch she broke up laughing and started to walk away. Feeling a little rejected, he looked down to see that the front of his jeans were soaked from her sitting on him. He looked up to see her standing there, a huge smirk on her face.

 

"Hey, why do I get the wet spot?" he said as he walked towards her.

 

"It's payback sweetie." she started to back up, telling him not to walk with her because she was a little more than embarrassed that he had an 'accident'. He tried his hurt look out on her and found no sympathy there so he pulled out his shirttails and asked if he was acceptable now.

 

Laura laughed as she wrapped her arms around him to finally properly welcome him home. "I missed you."

 

Hand in hand they left the exhibit rooms and walked through the lobby, Lucy's eyes following them suspiciously. As they passed the desk JC looked at Lucy "Interesting Recycled exhibit, but might I suggest getting the emergency lights fixed back there, someone could get hurt."

 

As they left the museum JC looked down at her and said, "While you're buying me dinner, we need to discuss how you think what we just did even remotely compares to the little things I did to you...And who broke the deal first."

 

"Oh no way...It was sooo you!" Laura smiled as they argued. JC quickly grabbed her hand and pulled her outside into the pouring rain.

 

"Just wait till we get home...I'm gonna fix your ass." Laura said as she chased him in the rain.

Chapter 11 by DesperateThoughts

"Your boy, Jerry, called here. He wants to introduce us to some people the day after tomorrow."

 

"What's the day after tomorrow?" Laura said as she continued to type on her laptop.

 

"Its the awards ceremony, duffus."

 

"Ooooh...Sorry I had forgotten it was this week."

 

"Damn...I forgot to tell you that I got you a seat with me and the guys."

 

Laura stopped typing. "I was going to sit with Rachel and Jerry during it."

 

"Why?" JC asked.

 

"I just don't want people to think I'm your date."

 

"Why does it seem like our roles are reversed here? JC said as he put the newspaper down on the coffee table.

 

"What do you mean?" Laura asked.

 

"I'm trying my best to make an effort to make this work. Bend over backwards to please you and make sure that things are Okay for you and I get nothing in return!"

 

"First of all, it's give and take. We both are making sacrifices here. You are not the only one. And second of all...It's not just that...I don't want people to think I am dating any of you. Because I could just sit next to Chris, Joey, Lance, or Justin...I just don't want to be cast as dating any of you. It causes too much chaos. I mean someone could see you or any of the guys with a glass of water in your hand and the very next morning plastered all over the papers, TV and net there is a story about how you are alcoholics."

 

JC choked on his drink trying not to laugh. "I get where you are coming from, but I just get tired of having to hide things anymore."

 

"Yeah I know, but--"

 

"Oh my goodness look how big he's gotten!" JC interrupted as he rushed to the front door to help Rachel carry in a young toddler and 2 baby bags along with a stroller.

 

"Take him for me would you?'

 

"Of course."

 

Laura watched JC as he took the baby from Rachel's arms along with the two bags. She could see how content and happy he was and slightly smiled before looking over at Rachel with concern. Rachel nodded her head in recognition.

 

"How old is he now? One?"

 

"Yeah, last month we had a little party for him. He stuffed his hand into the cake before I could get pictures of it." Rachel laughed. There was chocolate everywhere. All over his face, in his hair, and somehow in his diaper."

 

JC laughed as he bounced the baby up and down gently. "Nikolas, you and me are going to have to start hanging out more. With our looks combined, we could have our pick of a lot of fly hunnies." JC joked. The baby immediately began giggling and putting his hands out towards JC's face. JC brought the baby closer to his face and nibbled on his tiny fingers lightly. "His eyes are crystal blue."

 

Laura quickly shot Rachel a look of concern.  Rachel hesitated slightly, "Yeah I know."

 

"Nobody in your family has blue eyes." JC looked up towards the ceiling as he ran her families faces through his mind.

 

"No one in my immediate family but it could be from back in the gene pool somewhere."

 

"Either that or Jerry's family." Laura quickly added.

 

"You wanna play with Buddy? Can he play with the dog?"

 

"Sure."

 

"What's up, Nik?" JC asked as he looked at the baby's face. "Um, why is he making that face and grunting...Oh good God!" JC said as he moved his face away. "Whew...I think you need to go to your mommy or auntie now. This is uncle JC's stop."

 

Laura walked over and took the baby from JC. "Don't ever grow up to be like that." Laura joked. JC lightly poked her in her side. "I'm going to get Buddy. I'll be right back."

 

"Okay." Laura said as she leaned her head out and quickly stopped. She almost leaned to kiss him and caught herself. JC looked at her and smirked. "See I told you."

 

"Told her what?" Rachel asked feeling left out.

 

Laura shot JC a look.  "Nothing...It's one of those, you had to be there, jokes."

 

"Oh." Rachel watched the two of them with her son. She leaned up to get the baby, but Laura said she would take care of it. She lightly laid the baby down on the changing pad on the floor and began to change his diaper.  "So when are you going to tell him?"

 

"I wasn't planning on telling him at all." Rachel said as she handed Laura a box of wipes.

 

"Rachel...."

 

"Why does he need to know?" she asked as she handed her a diaper.

 

"Why wouldn't he need to know!?"

 

"Do you think it would make things any better?"

 

"Hiding it sure as hell won't help."

 

"If not for him, at least for Nikky, Rachel. I mean come on now."

 

Don't sit there and dictate to me like you are miss high and mighty Lauren Alexandria Charles. You've known as long as I have and I don't see you telling him the truth!"

 

"You asked me not to. I keep my promises to my friends. No matter how much I don't want to." Laura set her small keyboard down on the floor and placed Nikolas in front of it. He quickly began to bang on the keys, becoming more and more excited with each noise he made. Laura could see JC walking towards the back door with Buddy in his arms.

 

"Look all I am saying is that he needs to know. For his own sake and for Nikky's.

 

"Hey look who I got, Nik." JC said as he walked in and placed the puppy in front of Nikolas. Nikolas didn't know how to react to the animal. Buddy began to sniff the baby all over and then started to lick him. Nikolas then started to giggle and began to crawl around the room chasing after the puppy's every move.

 

JC sat on the floor, completely mesmerized.  "He's adorable, Rachel."

 

Thanks." she smiled secretly watching him as he watched her son.

 

"Just a shame." JC muttered to himself.

 

"Huh?" Rachel asked.

 

"Huh? Oh nothing." JC said as he got up from floor and sat on the couch. JC continued to watch the baby and thought to himself that it was shame that Nikolas wasn't his son.  Laura watched him and had wondered to herself why he had said what he said, but soon brushed it off and went back to talking to Rachel about plans for the ceremony.

Chapter 12 by DesperateThoughts

Later that evening JC and Laura were working downstairs in his home studio. They were both sitting at the piano struggling to figure out the melody for a song she had just begun writing.

 

"Its got a really nice slow beat. I got it started off in my head here. He is going to sing this part." Laura pointed out the section with her pencil as she slowly keyed on the piano with her free hand, "How do you keep the music playing...How do you make it last...How do you keep the song from fading...Too fast..."

 

Now I want violins to slowly start to come in when she comes in with her verse. "How do you lose yourself to someone...And never lose your way...How do you not run out of new things...to say." she slowly sang. Laura looked towards JC for feedback and noticed he was staring at her and not paying attention to the lyrics in front of him.  "What?"

 

"I just love to watch you when you sing...I just love watching you period." he smiled as he moved her hair back off her shoulder and lightly kissed it.

 

She could feel her face slowly turning red. "Come on, JC."

 

"Okay, I know how you hate getting compliments."

 

"I don't hate getting compliments. I just feel awkward when I get them."

 

"Well you shouldn't." He kissed her neck.

 

A chill ran up her back when his lips touched her skin. "You seemed to really enjoy it when Nikky was here earlier."

 

"Yeah I did. I love kids." He paused and looked over at Laura with curiosity in his eyes, "How many do you plan on having when you get married?"

 

"I don't know...I never really thought about it till now." Laura replied.

 

"You never thought about having kids?"

 

"I've thought about it, but I would always come to the conclusion that I wouldn't want them to be more screwed up than me." she joked.

 

"I'm serious." he said as he slowly began to play the beginning chords.

 

"Maybe one of each. It all depends on my husband and what he wants."

 

"Well, I can tell you right now that I want a boy and girl. Not necessarily in that order. Whatever you come out with first would be fine." he joked.

 

"So confident that I would actually marry you someday huh?"

 

"You'd probably marry me and then only wear your wedding ring when no one else was around." he said sarcastically.

 

"Funny." she said as she lightly punched his arm. "Okay so back to this song, JC. After their first two verses, it should start off with the bass and then a slow tap on the drums…"  Laura could feel JC's arms inching their way around her waist.  Hey buddy! I'm trying to work here! Cut that out!"

 

JC laughed and shook his head, leaning back. "What am I supposed to play with while you're playing with my piano?" he asked.

 

"You're suppose to be working too you know."

 

"We've been in here for almost 9 hours, baby. My attention span is gone. I need a break."

 

"Oh my God...JC Chasez needing a break from music? What the hell is the world coming to!?" she gasped.

 

He pushed her gently as they walked out of the studio and down the hallway towards the sitting room.  "Damn I forgot to turn the air off...You cold?"

 

"A little."

 

"Want one of my sweaters to wear while it warms up?"

 

"Yeah."

 

JC went to stand up but Laura stopped him. "I'll get it--amuse yourself while I'm gone."

 

She smiled and stepped into the bedroom, closing the door behind her. She leaned her back against the door. Thoughts of how JC had interacted with the baby kept running through her head. How could she not tell him? How would he react if he found out the truth. Laura thought about how much of a hypocrite she was.  She had gotten so angry with JC for keeping his meeting with Rachel a secret and here she was keeping this huge secret from him.  But it wasn't her secret to tell.  It wasn't any of her business.  Or was it.  She needed to tell him.  He needed to know.  But how could she betray one friend for another?  How could she lie to the man she loves.  Well technically she wasn't lying, she thought to herself.  He'd never asked the right questions, so she never lied. 

 

"Find anything interesting yet?" he called from outside the door.

 

JC's voice startled her from her thoughts.  "Ummm, working on it," she said, moving away from the door.

She heard him laugh and moving around -- then suddenly soft music began to play. "I thought you could use some mood music," he commented, leaning against the door and wondering exactly what she was doing.

 

And what were all those snide remarks he made in the studio about her only wearing a wedding ring when they were along.  She could tell that his patience with her wanting to keep their relationship a secret was growing thin.  She wanted to do something special. She had to do something to ease his fears. Tonight she would be the seductress.  He was usually the one to make the first move with her and she wanted to show him that she could be seductive.

 

Laura soon found a white, long sleeved, button up shirt and held it up to look at it. Smiling, she wondered which plan in her head she was going to follow. The feeling of his arms around her and his lips against her neck while she was playing came back to her and she started pulling off her sun dress. She hung it up and then quickly removed her panties and bra before she lost all the courage to make the first move and try and surprise him. Slipping into the shirt, her shaking fingers struggled with the buttons. She rolled up the sleeves, feeling the shirttails hanging down around her thighs.

 

"I poured you some wine," he said as he dimmed the lights.

 

"Wonderful, thanks," she replied, looking in his mirror and trying to straighten out her hair. She put the collar up on the shirt and at the last minute, undid the button that was right over her breasts.

 

"Need any help in there?"

 

Laura took a deep breath and opened the door. She smiled at him and watched his jaw drop.

 

"Well look at you, missy."

 

"What?" Laura asked, trying not to feel self-conscious.

 

"Now why can't I get that shirt to look that good on me?"

 

"You don't have the tits for it I guess." she boldly stated.

 

"Yeah well you surely do." JC smiled. "So what's making you suddenly want to entice me? You know you already do that everyday of the week."

 

"Well I wanted to try and be bolder for once...Make the first move so to speak. You're the one always initiating...I think I need to try and reverse our roles for once."

 

"Well reverse away, my love."

 

"Would you like to dance?" she asked.

 

"Yeah let me just pull down the shades."

 

"Leave them."

 

"Excuse me?"  he was shocked at her words.

 

"Just leave them. I don't think anyone will be up at 3am snooping."

 

"Just remember that you told me that. I don't want you getting upset later."

 

Laura laughed and pulled him closer to her body, entwining his fingers through hers. As they swayed slowly, she pressed her cheek against his, sighing softly in his ear. As he rubbed her back, the shirt moved up and down and JC groaned softly when her back was pointed to a mirror panel beside the couch and he caught a glimpse of the tops of her thighs.

"Are you okay?" she asked, leaning back to look at him grinning.

 

"Oh yeah," he said trying to control himself. He wanted to grab her ass but wanted to let her make the first move.

 

She smiled and moved her head forward and kissed him softly, tasting the sweetness of his lips. The kiss started softly and became more passionate; their lips pressing harder as their mouths parted and tongues explored. She let go of his hand and pushed hers through his hair, pulling his mouth harder against her own. His mouth devoured hers as her body melted against his. They pulled away to catch their breath and stare at each other.

 

He cupped her face, stroking her cheeks with his thumbs. "You have no idea what you do to me," he whispered softly before pulling her back to kiss her again. His tongue traced over her lips, flicking at the corners of her mouth before he sucked on her bottom lip. Laura's grip around his waist tightened as his tongue moved into her mouth and stroked hers. Her body moved against his, still swaying slightly only not to the music anymore, but to the music their bodies had started to play.

 

The shrill sound of his cell phone stopped the kiss and he pulled back, releasing her. "Don't answer it."

 

"I have to, baby." he explained as he left her standing there, panting slightly.

 

"This better be damned important," he said into the receiver, smiling at her as he listened to the voice on the other end. "Could we discuss this tomorrow or something, Joey?" Laura went back to her wineglass and his eyes followed her. "Well I'm kind of busy right now." She sat on the couch and slowly crossed her legs. The shirt slowly crept up her thighs and JC's eyes followed its journey, mesmerized by what it was revealing. "....Yah, I'm still here. Listen Joey, I love you man, but I have to tell you, you're wrecking my social life."

 

He watched Laura dip her finger into her wine and then bring her finger to her mouth, sucking on it. JC felt his cock stirring. "Dude, go ask Justin!" he said and turned the phone off, tossing it back onto the counter. He returned and sat next to her on the couch.

 

"Joey wanted someone to ramble to about his new fatherly issues he is dealing with."

 

"A lot of baby talk today huh?"

 

"Yeah...I want a baby," he said softly, touching her face.

 

Laura almost spit out her wine.  "Whoa...Huh?"

Chapter 13 by DesperateThoughts

"Not now silly...But later on in life...With you."

 

"How are you so sure we will even be together that long?"

 

"I just do."

 

"I'm sure you'd be a great dad."

 

His hand moved up her calf lightly, "I hope so...Now as far as great friend, I would have to argue with you about tonight. I just hung up on my best friend because all I could think about was making love to you."

 

Her arms tightened around his neck and she pulled him down, half on top of her. As they kissed passionately, his hand moved up over her bare hip, stroking her soft skin. Her body arched as he released her lips and started kissing down her neck, sucking on her skin softly. Slowly his hand moved up her side, over her ribs until his thumb brushed against the underside of her breast. He tried to move but found himself trapped in an awkward position. "I do have a bed you know...Well three if you count the guest bedrooms," he said as his thumb moved up and made contact with her erect nipple.

 

JC stood up and put his arm out towards her. Laura stood up and starred deep into his eyes. JC quickly forgot about the bed. Leaning down he kissed her chest as his fingers worked on the buttons of her shirt. He licked between her breasts as he pushed the shirt back, revealing her body to him. He kissed the gentle swell of her breast, taking the time to lick her skin everywhere. His tongue circled her puffy nipple and her back arched. He felt her fingers pushing back though his hair, pulling his mouth harder against her as he continued to trace it with his tongue. Gently, he sucked it into his mouth and listened to her soft moans, feeling them wash through his body. Sucking in, he pulled his head back and teased the tip of her nipple with his tongue. He loved the way her body arched as his hand moved down over her stomach, touching every available inch of her skin. Her fingernails scratched the back of his neck as his fingers slid down over her hip to her thigh and then slowly ventured in between her legs, stroking her inner thigh with the lightest of touches.

 

Laura raised her hips, trying to move his fingers closer to where she ached for them. Trying to concentrate, she moved her hands down his back as far as she could and started pulling at his shirt. She managed to pull it out of his jeans and up to his shoulders before she had to stop. His thumb was brushing over her pussy lips as his mouth made its way over to her other breast, licking and kissing until his lips met with her nipple. His tongue lashed out at it as he tried to keep his hand steady. Laura was moving her hips up and down, anxiously trying to get him to touch her more but he was enjoying the tease and the anticipation.

 

"JC please..." she moaned, pushing herself against him. He moved one leg over hers and immediately felt her knee move up and start rubbing against his crotch.

 

"Laura," he moaned, trying to prop himself up on one elbow. He looked down at her, his heart pounding wildly as their bodies continued to grind against each other. He put his arm under her neck and touched her face with his other hand. "Laura, I need to know something."

 

She reached up and pulled his head down to hers, kissing him hard as she pushed her body against his. Her fingers pulled at his hair as her tongue probed his mouth. JC pushed one arm around her waist and rolled, pulling her on top of him, their legs tangled. His heart was pounding furiously and his body ached for her. With his hands on her head, he pushed her back, panting. "Laura, I really need to know something."

 

"Later," she whispered, trying to move her head forward. "Right now, I want you so badly."

 

"Baby," he pleaded, trying to concentrate on his question and not how her body was rubbing against his. "Earlier today when they were at your place...There seemed to be tension between you and Rachel. Do you think she knows about us? Is that going to cause more problems for you?"

 

Laura stopped moving and looked him in the eye. For a moment she felt extremely hurt that he would be sitting there worried whether his ex-fiancé knew if they were together. But logic told her that if she was in his position she would probably be thinking the same thing. "No, she was just having a stressful day. She doesn't know, JC." She pushed herself up, straddling his waist. "Do you remember a long time ago when the rest of the guys went on vacation and you decided not to go? You came by my house?"

 

He reached up and pushed open her shirt, looking at her beautiful breasts. His finger traced her nipple. "Yes, I do. Why?"

 

Reaching down, she pulled his shirt up so she was sitting against his skin. As she undid the buttons she began to rub her wetness against his stomach. He moaned and rolled her nipple between his thumb and forefinger. She finished undoing his buttons and pushed his shirt back and then started rubbing her palms against his chest. His skin was hot beneath her touch.

"It was the first time we were alone together..Without anyone around," she said softly, pushing down harder until she could feel her clit rubbing against his skin. Her nails dug into his chest as she slowly ground herself against him.

 

"Yes, it was," he said, wondering if she was ever going to make her point; but then again, he really didn't even care if she had one. He could feel her wetness soaking his skin. Cupping her breasts, he squeezed them gently, feeling her nipples hard against his palms. Her nails were digging into his chest harder and scratching downward and she moved faster on him. When she moved back her ass was hitting his cock which was still trapped in his jeans. He wasn't sure how much of this he could take.

 

Laura moaned and dragged her fingers down his chest and then moved them behind her, trying to undo the button on his jeans. After fighting with the button, she released the zipper blindly.  "Your phone rang just like it did a minute ago and I watched you," she said as her hand slipped into his briefs. Her fingertips touched the head of his pounding cock, feeling the wetness that had gathered at the tip.

 

JC moaned and raised his hips, letting his hands slide down from her breasts to her hips. "Talked on the phone...right..." He guided her hips back and forth, pushing up against her. She wiggled out of his grip and moved down over his hips and thighs, sitting on his knees.

 

"And as I watched you walk around my living room, I could feel your voice seeping into my body. It really turned me on, JC."

 

"So my voice turns you on then?" he asked, catching his breath as her nails moved under the waistband of his jeans and briefs and started dragging them down. He raised his hips and watched the intense look on her face as she fought to pull his jeans down. When she had them down to her knees, she lightly ran her nails up his thighs, causing his whole body to shiver.

"It did then -- still does," she whispered softly, her eyes meeting his. "The whole package has always turned me on, JC. Even when you were with Rachel I would find myself having naughty thoughts of you in my head." She smiled and then leaned down, flicking her tongue against the tip of his cock.

 

JC reached down and stroked her hair, feeling her tongue circling the head of his cock. Her mouth was hot and wet as she lowered it, taking him slowly into her mouth. His fingers tightened in her hair as she started moving her mouth up and down his shaft, tightening her lips as she pulled her head back. Her tongue lashed out and then her teeth would graze his skin just before her tongue would start again. Her hair was spread out over his stomach, moving back and forth with her head. Holding the back of her head, he pumped his hips up and down faster, unable to control the urge to fuck her mouth.

 

"God Laura," he groaned, feeling her nails digging into his hips and her nipples brushing back and forth against his thighs as she sucked him harder and faster. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back, talking himself out of exploding into her mouth.

Laura felt his cock lurching in her mouth and slowed down a little. She listened to him moaning her name over and over again, feeling her wetness running down her inner thigh. She sucked in really hard and slowly pulled her mouth back, pulling on his cock hard until only his swollen head was still in her mouth. She circled it with her tongue and then released it, raising her eyes to look at him. She smiled at the look of pure passion on his face and then crawled up him, like a cat on the prowl.

 

She lowered herself against his cock, pressing it between her pussy and his stomach. He moaned and reached for her hands, entwining his fingers in hers as she started to slide up and down his cock.

 

"You're more beautiful to me with each passing day," he whispered, wanting desperately to bury himself in her although the feeling of her wet lips rubbing up and down his shaft was driving him crazy.

 

She smiled and slid forward, the head of his cock rubbing against her clit. Her body shivered as she moved very little, back and forth, feeling the hardness of her clit against his cock. He pulled his hands back, bringing her forward. His fingers tightened around hers as he pulled her down against his chest. She kissed his chest as she pushed against his hands, pushing her whole body back again until his cock was against her ass. Wiggling, she raised herself and pushed back again, feeling his cock slip between her lips. He raised his hips and she moved down, feeling his cock slide forward and then enter her slowly. Their moans filled the room as he slowly began to fill her.

 

"Oh God," she moaned, squeezing his hands as she pushed herself up until she was almost sitting up. Her muscles contracted around his cock, sucking it in and holding it tight. "Mmmmm that feels so good," she whispered.

 

She let go of his hands and placed her hands on his stomach as he moved his hands to her hips. Gripping her tightly, he lifted her up and down slowly at first, savoring the feeling of her hot pussy melting around his cock. As her fingernails started digging into his stomach, he moved her faster up and down, pumping up into her at the same time. He watched her toss her head back and close her eyes, moaning and whimpering inaudible words. His eyes moved down to her breasts, bouncing up and down each time she slammed against him. His eyes moved lower and he moaned as he watched his cock disappear into her pussy and then reappear, wet and shiny.

 

"God yes!" she screamed. She was controlling her own motions now, slamming down hard against him and grinding back and forth. "JC, yes, yes... God yes, fuck.... JC," she whimpered over and over again until he felt her body tense. He reached down and started stroking her swollen clit as her nails bit back into his flesh.

 

"Cum for me, Laura," he said, rubbing his thumb back and forth over her clit and rocking his hips slowly. He watched with total pleasure as her body began to shake uncontrollably, feeling her pussy tighten hard around his cock, contracting several times before he could feel a warm rush surround his cock. He moved his hands to stroke her sides as she tried to regroup. He smiled at her.

 

"What are you smiling for?" she asked teasingly, still panting.

 

"Just thinking how good you look in my shirt, that's all."

 

"Glad you think so because I'm not giving it back," she said as she laid down on his chest.

 

Wrapping her arms around his neck she held him tight and leaned to one side. JC held her and rolled, trying not to squish her. He had forgotten that his pants were still around his knees and tried to steady himself. He looked down at her, so beautiful beneath him. This was the woman who entered his dreams every night and interrupted his thoughts during the day.

 

Laura brought her legs up and wrapped them around his waist, pulling him down hard against her. He put his arms under her back and held onto her shoulders with his hands. As he buried his face into her neck, he started pounding his cock into her waiting pussy. He couldn't believe how wet she was. He kissed her neck, feeling her pulse running rapid beneath his lips. She moved her head and he brought his lips down hard against hers, kissing her passionately, sucking on his tongue and biting at her lips as he hammered into her harder, encouraged by the moans and whimpers against his mouth.

 

Her body became still for a brief second and then started thrashing below him. He pulled his head back and they watched each other through unfocused eyes. He pulled back slowly and then rammed his cock in deep, repeating the thrusts several times before he could see that she was about to cum again.

 

"JC," she screamed out against his ear. She arched her back and tightened her already bone-crushing leg grip around his waist. Her fingernails scratched down his back and then dug into his hips as she started to cum.

 

"Cum with me, baby," he managed to moan before thrusting into her once again. He tensed in her arms and then shuttered as he exploded inside of her, rocking slowly as his cock jerked inside of her. She could feel his cock expanding inside of her and then jerking forward. Suddenly she was filled with his heat and she rocked slowly beneath him, feeling their combined juices running down her ass.

He licked her forehead and then kissed her nose, moving down until he found her lips and kissed her softly, tasting her passion from her lips. He pulled away from her lips and planted little kisses all over her face, finally feeling her leg grip loosen.  "God, I love you," he sighed.

 

Laura smiled and leaned up and kissed his lips softly.  JC sat there and realized that he had never heard Laura ever tell him that she loved him. He didn't want to ruin the evening by bringing it up either. He reluctantly moved off her and pulled off his jeans. Standing up, he reached down and pulled her up and held her close to him, stroking her hair and her back. She held him tight and then he reached down and picked her up.

 

"I think I mentioned earlier that I do have a bed...You remember what it looks like right?" he whispered into her ear as he carried her into the bedroom.

Chapter 14 by DesperateThoughts

 

JC sat alone on the back porch, watching as the sun slowly started to make its entrance once again. He smiled as he pictured Laura curled up in his bed, the comforter wrapped around her body like a cocoon, keeping her safe and warm. His first instinct when he woke had been to reach for her and make love to her again but he stopped himself, deciding that she probably needed the sleep. He had to actually leave the bed to stop himself from touching her. How could one man have so much passion for a woman? He didn't want to ever be far from her again. He wanted more mornings like this one. Waking up with her lying in bed with him.

 

They had talked for hours last night about everything under the sun. JC was finding it hard to remember the last time they actually made love as opposed to wildly fucking whenever they got the chance. They hadn't really ever slowly done anything with each other in a long time. That night, after he had carried her off to bed, they had made love again, slowly, passionately and without any clothing on. He had explored every inch of her body and paid attention to some parts more than others. He sipped his coffee and was sure he could still taste her on his lips and his neck still moved, which surprised him considering the leg lock she'd had his head in.

 

He saw something move out of the corner of his eye and turned to see Laura walking towards him, his button down T-shirt draping over her body. He smiled and held out his hand to her. "Good morning, Beautiful," he said, setting his coffee down as she sat down on his lap. He wrapped his arms around her.

 

"Morning," she whispered, leaning her head back against his shoulder. "What a beautiful sunrise."

 

"Are you okay?" he asked, brushing her hair back off her forehead.

 

She turned her head and looked at him, smiling. "Very okay, just a little dreamy still...And starving."

 

"Damn. Laticia won't be here till later on this afternoon with groceries...How about I run down to McDonald's and hook us up with some egg mc muffins or something?"

 

"Well I do have a taste for an English muffin...Just promise you will hurry back to me."

 

"I'd always come back to you." he said as he lightly kissed her before hopping up and rushing to the store. Laura hoped he meant what he said.

 

Later, as she was laying in bed waiting, she heard JC walk in the front door. She quickly raced down the hallway as though someone had sounded a dinner bell. "What'd you get mmmeeee..."

 

"I think I might have something you could use."

 

"Hi, Justin." Laura said as she stood there trying to pull the shirt down further. "I thought you were JC."

 

"Do you always come looking for JC in that outfit?" he asked.

 

"No." Laura rolled her eyes trying to stall and think of an excuse as to why she was half naked in JC's house so early in the morning. "JC threw me in the pool last night and I accidentally locked myself out of the house so I had to stay here. He gave me his shirt to wear."

 

Justin raised his eyebrows "Uh huh..I'm sure JC gave you more than his t-shirt to wear" he joked.

 

"Funny..But no." she said, smacking him on the back of the head as she walked over to the fridge.  He was totally right, but she couldn't admit that. 'Fuck' she mouthed to herself as she tried to put her best face forward.

 

Laura grabbed the orange juice from the fridge and went and sat in the bar stool and noticed Justin's eyes wondering south as she propped herself up in the chair. She quickly held the shirt down so he wouldn't see anything.

 

"Okay I didn't know if you wanted cheese or not so I got both." JC said as he walked into the kitchen with his eyes buried in the bag. "Oh shit!" JC gasped as he saw Justin sitting at the table and Laura still half naked on the bar stool. "Hey... Justin."

 

"Hey yourself." Justin smiled.

 

Laura looked towards him to try and signal but Justin was on a mission. Justin walked around the counter towards the refrigerator, "So you two have fun last night?"

 

"What do you mean." JC acted clueless.

 

"He means when you threw me in the pool and got my clothes drenched."

 

"Ooohhh. I thought he might have thought something else." JC recovered.

 

"Why would I think that? Unless I should?" Justin questioned.

 

"Oh please. You know better than to think that, Justin." JC answered nonchalantly.

 

"Oh, do I?"

 

"Yeah," JC handed Laura the McDonald's bag and headed over to the cabinet to get some glasses. "Why would you even think something like that?"

 

"Any person would. Your best friends. Your with each other almost every single waking hour. I come in here and see her walking down the hallway nonchalantly as if it was normal for her to be walking around your house in only a t-shirt...A t-shirt that belongs to you might I add. And she has that glow to her that women only get after they have been satisfied to the fullest. I know that look. I've had the pleasure of causing that look myself a time or two." he grinned.

 

Orange juice suddenly began to spray across the table out of Laura's mouth after she heard this. "You okay?" JC asked as he patted her back.

 

Laura wiped her mouth as she tried to utter a response to his statement. "Whatever, Justin! JC really isn't my type and by the looks of him, he doesn't look like he would be able to fulfill half my needs." she laughed, lying through her teeth.

 

JC shot her a look as he handed her some paper towels to clean up the mess.

 

"Aight...Well if you two ain't dating, come out with me this weekend."

 

"We tried that once before, remember? That didn't work out too well."

 

"You didn't even give it a chance, girl! We went to the movies and somebody spotted me and all hell broke loose."

 

"And that's why I ain't going through that drama anymore."

 

"Come on Laura. Just dinner."

 

"Yeah it's just dinner Laura." JC chimed in.

 

Laura didn't understand what JC was doing. 'Why is he trying to coax me into this date?' she wondered to herself.

Chapter 15 by DesperateThoughts

Well if JC was going to throw her to the wolves, Laura was going to at least have some fun with it. "When?" she asked, turning her gaze from JC back to Justin.

 

Justin was surprised.  "How about tomorrow?"

 

"Tomorrow is the awards ceremony." JC interrupted as he walked over to put away some plates that had been drying.

 

"Oh. Well how about just a lunch date later on this afternoon?"

 

"That sounds fine. You can also be my chauffeur for the day and help me pick out a dress to wear."

 

JC stopped moving around the plates long enough to hear her agree to the date. He went back to placing the plates back in the cabinet and sat down at the table across from Justin.

 

"Well I better go home and get changed."

 

"I thought you were locked out?" Justin asked.

 

"Um..Yeah. I have to go and wait for the locksmith to help me back into my house."

 

"Wait, come on. I'll give you a pair of my boxers to wear back so that you aren't standing out there half naked."

 

Laura followed JC down the hall to the back bedroom. Justin leaned back in his chair and followed her every move with his eyes and smiled to himself.

 

"What the hell are you doing, Laura?"

 

"What do you mean?" she whispered.

 

"You are actually going to go out on a date with Justin?"

 

"Well I didn't see you standing there trying to stop me...'It's just dinner, Laura'." she mocked, "Isn't that what you said?"

 

"I was trying to play it off,  I think he is onto us like white on rice!" JC whispered loudly as he rummaged through his drawers.

 

"Well either way I can date whomever I choose, JC. Remember? We aren't together right now."

 

"Ah, I see...What are you trying to prove?" JC grabbed a pair of boxers and walked over to Laura who was standing by the door.

"Not trying to prove anything. At first I was pissed off that you would actually sit over there and try and get me to go out with him."  Laura struggled to put on the boxers.  "Now its just to get Justin off our backs...Why? You jealous?"

 

"I don't have anything to be jealous about." JC said as he turned the lock on the bedroom door.

 

"What are you doing?"

 

"You wanted to be a smart ass earlier huh?" JC said as he moved closer to Laura who was now standing up against the wall.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

He grinned. "Talking shit about how I wouldn't be able to satisfy you."

 

"Ooohhh." Laura laughed. "I was just-" JC suddenly grabbed both cheeks of her ass in his hands and lifted her slightly off the floor. Laura was caught off guard and her arm slammed into the wall in her efforts to find something to hold onto to keep her balance. Laura quickly wrapped her arms around JC as he kissed down her neck. He loosened his grip of her ass as he started kissing lower and lower down her chest. His hands slowly wrapped around the bottom of the shirt she was wearing and he slowly ran his fingertips up her thighs as he lifted the shirt slightly. The thought of having Justin in the next room while she and JC fucked turned her on even more. JC was soon down on his knees.  In one swift move he yanked his boxers down past her ankles and buried his face between her legs. Laura cried out at the sudden touch of his lips around her clit. He slowly wrapped his hands around both sides of her waist to help her keep her balance.

 

"Is everything okay back there?" Justin cried out from down the hall.

 

Laura jumped at the sound of his voice and pushed JC away from her crotch. He looked towards Laura curiously to find out what was wrong.

 

"I'm sorry. I just can't with him here. He's going to catch us, JC."

 

"The door is locked, Laura."

 

"Yeah well I only came back here to get some boxers...Not have my box munched on." Laura commented as she pulled the boxers up around her waist.

 

JC tried not to laugh. "okay, okay." He said as he leaned forward and kissed her deep on the lips.

 

"I taste good." she smiled. JC licked his lips and grinned. "I can't get enough of you....Just make sure my best friend doesn't come back saying the same thing." he replied as he smacked her ass before she walked out of the room.

 

Laura stuck up her middle finger as she continued to walk down the hallway. "Okay Justin. I will see you at noon then?"

 

"OK. You're place right?"

 

"Yep."

 

"K." he said, leaning over in his chair as he watched her walking away.

 

"Thanks again, JC." Laura called out to him.

 

"Anytime." JC and Justin watched Laura disappear through the backyard. "And you're telling me that you never thought about tappin' that?" Justin asked. "Mmmm…Mmmm…Mmmm!" Justin shook he whole body as he closed his eyes thinking about how her ass looked before she put on the boxers.  "I’m serious, JC. That ass is like –- ” His hands squeezed the empty air as if he were squeezing her -- “Nice.”

 

"She's Rachel's best friend."

 

"So? You and Rachel are history."

 

"She's my best friend. She's amazing, and of course the thought has crossed my mind, but I would never want to screw up our friendship."

 

"I would think that might make it just that much better if you were friends and lovers, man. A female who knows you better than you know yourself sometimes. A confidant that you don't have to put up a front for all the time. Someone you trust with your life. Someone who not only turns you on physically, but mentally too. Someone who challenges you. That other person that pushes you to do better when you feel like you want to give up. Someone who is there through good and bad times. That one person you know who will always be there for you no matter what. That last face you see before you go to bed and the face you see when you wake up in the morning...All that shit that we eventually want as we get older.

 

"Well I mean...Yeah...We...We're friends. And with the way things are right now, I don't want to jeopardize anything. The thought had briefly crossed my mind though." JC wanted to tell Justin what was going on but he didn't want to betray Laura. Justin started to bounce idea's around about where he was going to take her. JC tried his best not to become jealous, but something inside him was making him feel uneasy about the afternoon to come.

Chapter 16 by DesperateThoughts

"Wow...You look great."

 

"Thanks. You too." Laura said as she walked outside and began to lock her front door.

 

Justin opened the door for her before walking around the back of the car to fix something that was in the trunk. Laura leaned over and unlocked his door.

 

"Ahhh...very nice."

 

"Oh don't start with that 'A Bronx Tale' stuff again please, Justin. Laura joked.

 

"I need to stop by JC's real fast and drop this synthesizer off before we go. Is that okay?"

 

"Why are you asking me? It's your car."

 

"I was trying to be a gentleman."

 

"I know...I'm just playing. I don't mind." Laura didn't want Justin to know that she felt uncomfortable showing up over there with him.

 

When they turned the corner Laura could see JC outside waxing down his convertible. JC turned his head and saw her sitting in the passengers seat and tried not to let his emotions show.

 

"I'll be right back."

 

"K." Laura slightly waved.

 

Justin took the synthesizer up to the house and JC opened up the door for him. While Justin was inside, JC walked over to the passenger side of the car and leaned down with his arms draped over the door frame. "You look pretty." he commented.

 

"Thank you."

 

"You don't have to do this you know. I wasn't trying to piss you off when I said what I said earlier."

 

"I know, JC. Why do you look so worried?" she asked as she lightly tapped JC's cheek with her palm.

 

"I'm not. I...Please...Just...Just have a good time."

 

"I will." Laura smiled. "Is that look of worry because you don't think you can trust me?" she joked.

 

He hesitated. "...No..."

 

"Why the long pause, JC? I didn't think you would need to think about the answer to that question."

 

JC could see her face turn slightly red and knew that she was getting upset.

 

They were both soon jolted when they heard the car door open and Justin getting inside. "Ready?"

 

"Yeah." Laura said slowly trying to regain her thoughts.

 

"You're all set, JC."

 

"Thanks, Justin. Have a good time guys."

 

"We will!" Justin said as he waved and began to slowly back out of the driveway. Before putting the car in drive, Justin looked over at Laura and noticed her staring down. "Are you okay?"

 

"Huh? Yeah...I'm fine...So where are you we of to?"

 

"Up to you really. I don't know where you would want to go and get your dress so I left it up to you."

 

"Let's just go by Epifanos'. I'm sure I will be able to find something there. I'm not really trying to go all out for this since its not a really big media event.

 

~~~~~

 

"Ah, Ms. Charles, how are you this afternoon. I'm OK Mr. Antonio. This is my friend, Justin."

 

"Nice to meet you. You look very familiar." the short gray haired man said as he squinted his eyes to get a better look at Justin.

"He's part of that group, Mr. Antonio."

 

"Ahh...Back in my day we would listen to Franky Sinatra, Mario Lanza, Louis Prima...I don't know what all this other stuff you kids are listening to these days...That rap sh--"

 

Laura could see where the conversation was heading and decided to interrupt before it got out of control. "You were telling me about a dress you thought would be perfect for me Mr. Antonio?"

 

"Oh yes, my dear. Let me go and get it from the back. I took it off the rack and saved it just for you."

 

"Thank you."

 

Justin smiled as he watched the man disappear behind the curtain.  "He seems nice."

 

"He is. I usually come in here because he doesn't watch TV much so he treats me like I'm a normal human being."

 

"yeah I know what you mean."

 

"You get it about 10 times worse than I do, so I don't know what I'm complaining about."

 

"Yeah but we are basically in the same boat where that is concerned." he commented.

 

"True."

 

Mr. Antonio came out with the dress. "Here it is."

 

"Oh its gorgeous! Can I try it on?"

 

"Of course…"  Mr. Antonio told Laura to make sure she came out and showed him the dress once she had it on.  He wanted to make sure that he documented all the alterations that would have to be made before the ceremony.   Justin and Mr. Antonio continued to talk while Laura was changing. "Well, my mom used to play all of those around the house when I was little and I like a little Sinatra every now and then." Justin smiled. "I even used to listen to the Crew Cuts a lot...toooo..." Justin hesitated as he saw Laura walk into the room wearing a long white dress that had a long V opening in the front that ran down the middle of her breasts to just an inch above her naval.

 

"Just lovely....Is it too long?" Mr. Antonio asked as he stood up and walked over to Laura standing in front of the mirror.

"Just a tad, but I am going to wear heels anyway, so it should be fine with the shoes I have." she said as she continued to talk to him about the dress. In the corner of her eye she could see Justin sitting there gazing at her. Her face began to turn colors and she dawned a quick smile before retreating back in to the dressing room to change back into her clothes.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Okay so where are we and why did I have to be blindfolded to get here?" Laura asked as she held onto Justin's arm tightly as he led her down a path into a clearing.

 

"Trust me."

 

"You are the wrong person to be asking anyone that." Laura responded.

 

Justin laughed. "Come on, stop. You are messing up my whole plan here."

 

"Okay okay, my bad." Laura said catching her breath from laughing so hard.

 

"Stand right here...Ready?"

 

"Yes." she said anxiously trying to peek through the scarf that was covering her eyes. Justin stood behind Laura as he untied to blindfold. Laura slowly opened her eyes and saw the sight in front of her. A large open field out in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere with a blanket and picnic basket. Two plates and all the utensils were set up with two small lanterns on each side of the blanket to give them light. There were no wandering eyes anywhere for miles and that was just how she liked it. "Oh wow...This is beautiful, Justin." Laura started to feel guilty because he seemed to have gone through a lot of trouble just for her.

 

"Hopefully this will make up for our spoiled first date."

 

Laura was speechless. She had no idea what to say. "I thought you weren't listening to me that day." 

 

One their first date Laura and Justin had talked about how their fantasy dates.  She had mentioned wanting to have an evening picnic in a secluded area where she could see the stars at night.  And that's exactly what he gave her.

 

"I'm always listening."

 

"This is amazing. Thank you so much." Laura said as she reached up to hug him.

Chapter 17 by DesperateThoughts

JC paced the floor and kept looking out the back window and over at the clock.

 

"Why the hell isn't she home yet. Its almost 12am, Buddy." he said to the dog who was following him as he continued to paced.

 

JC decided to call Laura's cell phone to make sure things were okay. It went straight to voicemail.

 

"Hey, its me. Where are you? I'm just worried and hoping that you are okay. Please give me a call when you get in so I know you got home safe. Bye."

 

As he hung up the phone he heard the doorbell ring. "That must be her now." JC said as he picked Buddy up into his arms to go and answer the door. "We are going to have to spank her for getting back so late aren't we?" He asked the dog.

"Where the hell were-....Rachel?" JC asked with a puzzled look on his face.

 

~~~~

 

"Oh..I know exactly what you mean!!" Laura exclaimed. She couldn't believe how much fun she was having with Justin...Just talking. They had eaten and laid out on the blanket to look up at the stars and talked about everything under the moon.

 

"So let me ask you something...Seriously."

 

"Okay." Laura responded as she continued to look up at the stars.

 

"You would never get with JC?"

 

Laura turned and looked at Justin and then back up at the sky. She hated lying to him, but she had to.  "I'm not saying that...It's just that things are too complicated in our lives these days. Focusing on a relationship with him, would take a great deal. I would have to consider losing most of my privacy, other people's reactions to the relationship, friends and family, etc. But it would be the same way if it was you too, you know?" Technically, what she said wasn't a lie. 

 

"So you've thought about it huh?" Justin smiled.

 

"Yeah it passed through my head a couple times. But then I would hang out with you and I would remember why it would never work." she laughed.

 

"Why?" Justin asked.

 

"I can't compete with the millions of girls that want your attention. I'm a very jealous person when it comes to relationships. So I know that would definitely not go very far."

 

"Ahhh...I see. I'd have to pull you off of 14 year olds huh?" he laughed.

 

"Hell yeah! I'd be quick to knock a bitch out if she even looked at me wrong." Laura laughed. Justin began to yawn and stretch his arms. Laura could see his watch's blue fluorescent light shining and noticed it was 3am.

 

"Oh my God. I can't believe we have been sitting out here talking for all this time, Justin. I gotta get up early in the morning!" she groaned as she got up to clean up everything before they headed home.

 

Justin took the quickest route back to Laura's house. They had to pass JC's on the way up the street.

"Damn, I see someone else is having a late night like us too." Justin said as he noticed Rachel's car in JC's driveway. Laura noticed that there weren't any lights on inside the house, but all the cars were there.

 

"Thanks for the wonderfully evening Justin. I had a great time."

 

"I'm glad. Maybe we could do it again some time?"

 

"Yeah. That would be nice. We'll see." Laura leaned up and gave Justin a hug and a light kiss on the cheek before he left. When she got into the house, she slowly took off her dress and laid on the bed. She checked her voice mail and listened to the message from JC. She laid in complete darkness and thought to herself.  She desperately wanted to call JC to find out what was going on but was scared that she would find herself interrupting something and wanted to shield herself from it.

 

Curiosity was eating away at her, and she quickly picked up the phone and began to dial. She took a deep breath as the phone began to ring. It rang 8 times and Laura hung up. "What the fuck is going on? He always answers on the 2nd or 3rd ring. Even in the dead of sleep he will get up and answer the phone. The only time he won't is if we are together and he turns off the ringer." she said angrily as she chucked the cordless phone across the bed.

Chapter 18 by DesperateThoughts

Sunlight began to sparkle across the water in the pool. Laura looked over at the clock and noticed it was 8 am. She hadn't been able to sleep all night. She wanted to go over to JC's so badly, but was terrified of what she might find. Once she worked up the courage, Laura went and changed and slowly walked across the backyard. JC's backdoor was unlocked like it usually was. The house was silent as Laura crept through the kitchen. As she turned the corner to walk towards JC's bedroom she stopped and rethought her decision. 'The nerve of him acting like he didn't trust me! That lousy fucker! What am I going to do if I walk in on the two of them? I can't act hurt. Fuck it...I just want him to know that I caught him. I'll think of something later.'

 

Laura took a deep breath. She suddenly jumped at a noise coming from behind her in the living room. She quickly turned around and saw a body lying on the couch.

 

As she inched closer to the sofa she could see Rachel sound asleep with a blanket covering half of her body. She noticed Rachel was fully clothed and a smile slowly crept on her face as she looked towards JC's bedroom. She tiptoed over and pulled the blanket up on her best friend and walked to JC's room. She slowly opened the door and could see buddy standing there waiting to jump on her. Laura quickly pet the dog and locked the door behind her. As she inched her way onto the bed a voice quickly rang out, "How was your date?"

 

"It was nice. How was yours?" Laura teased.

 

"What do you mean? Rachel? She came looking for you and hung out waiting on you. I didn't expect you to be gone all night. She got a little toasted and I said she should sleep it off instead of driving home."

 

"I wasn't gone all night." Laura defended. "I got home at around 3:30," she said as she climbed onto the bed behind him.

 

"What were you doing that you needed to be out till almost 4am? JC spat back, quickly lowering his voice so he wouldn't wake up Rachel.

 

"Talking." Laura answered as she ran her fingers through his hair. JC pushed her hand away from his head never turning around to look at her, "Is that all?"

 

"Yes!" Laura said as she grabbed JC's shoulder to make him face her. "I would have come over as soon as I got back, but you had company." Laura and JC both looked at each other and sighed.

 

"Laura, what the hell are we doing?"

 

"I have no idea...It's scary that we both don't trust one another." She replied as she looked down at Buddy who was lying on his back waiting for a stomach rub.

 

"I trust you...I just know my friend can be rather persuasive." JC said as he moved Laura's hair back over her shoulders.

 

"Mine too." Laura smiled.

 

"I don't want you to think that I don't trust you. I didn't mean to make it seem that way before you left with him and I regretted the hesitation when you asked me. I have no reason to not trust you Laura. You have never kept anything from me, or lied to me all the time that I have known you." His words were like a punch to her gut.

 

'If only he knew how much of a hypocrite I really am,' she thought to herself as he continued to speak, "My main concern last night was whether or not you were okay, Baby. I didn't know if you two had gotten into an accident or something. You weren't answering your phone and neither was Justin. It just scared me because you always answer when I call. And I'm not going to lie and say that your safety was my only concern. I had a hundred visions of you and him together and I feel like such an asshole for even thinking that." Laura laid her head down on JC's chest and looked out the window as she ran her hand across his body. "I just need to get used to this whole idea of being secret lovers and having to put on an act in front of other people." he said as he kissed her head.

 

"Well I am sorry that I thought you and Rachel were together...But on my side I don't think you can blame me," she said as she lifted her head to meet his gaze. "You two almost got married. I told myself I would stop when I made a fool out of myself the last time I tried to play spy with you two. I'm just very insecure where she is concerned. I'm trying. I think I will just have to try harder though." she smiled. JC ran the back of his hand gently down her shoulder to touch her soft skin as she leaned in to kiss him on the lips. The kiss grew more passionate and soon JC's hands were engulfed in her long flowing brown hair as he tried to pull her deeper into his kiss.

 

"Ahhh….Fuck...I want you." JC said with a sigh of frustration as he placed his hands on Laura's shoulders to stop her kisses.

 

"I want you too." she said between gentle pecks on his chest as she tried to make her way back up to his mouth.

 

"We can't, baby. Rachel is in the other room. You know she is more deviant than Justin." he joked as he let his head fall back against the pillow before looking up at the ceiling in pure frustration.

 

Laura chuckled as she let her head fall onto his chest feeling even more defeated. "I guess we better retreat to our opposite corners before we go crazy, sweetie...Which means I probably will not see you until later on at the hall during the ceremony."

 

Laura dragged herself out of JC's bed and slid her feet back into her sandals as he sat up to speak.  "Why aren't you riding with us in the limo?" he asked.

 

"I'm riding with Rachel...Plus you already know why. I don't want to get into another argument about it, so let's just leave it."

 

"I wasn't arguing. I was just curious." he said as he pushed the covers off of his body and stood up.

 

As Laura was fixing her hair into a ponytail she immediately noticed something and her face turned red. JC looked at her quizzically as he saw the direction of her gaze and he quickly smiled. "I'm sorry. I'm about to take care of it in the shower since I'm not going to be able to get any satisfaction from you today."

 

An idea quickly sprang into Laura's mind. "Don't!"

 

"Why not?"

 

"I want to see how long you can go without playing with him." she tease as her hand brushed by his boxers. JC didn't understand what she was up to, but he agreed. As Laura was walking down the hall she heard the water running in the nearby bathroom and figured Rachel was finally up. She went into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of juice before sitting down and waiting on Rachel to come out.

 

"Hey, girlie." Rachel groggily said as she walked into the kitchen yawning.

 

"Sleep well?"

 

"I have the worst headache right now. Did JC tell you I had a few too many?"

 

Laura nodded her head and slid the bottle of aspirin to the other side of the table for Rachel.  "Thanks. You actually went out with Justin last night? Were you high or something?"

 

Laura laughed as she handed Rachel her glass of juice to wash down the aspirin.  "No, he asked and JC talked me into it."

 

"So how bad was it?" Rachel asked as she laid her head down on the table.

 

"Actually, I had the best time."

 

"Get the fuck outta here?!" Rachel asked loudly.

 

"Shhh....I don't want to broadcast it nationwide, Rach."

 

"Yeah, Rach, she doesn't want us all the know the dirty details of her all night rendezvous with Mr. Timberlake." JC interrupted as he walked into the kitchen. JC had on sweat pants and a t-shirt along with a towel around his neck to catch the water that was dripping from his freshly washed hair.

 

Laura suddenly felt uneasy with the conversation, but knew she had to act as though he were immaterial to the topic of discussion.  "Whatever, JC." she said.

 

"Sooo? What happened?" Rachel impatiently asked.

 

"He came and picked me up for a lunch date, which turned out to be dinner..." Laura told Rachel the events of the day before while trying not to make JC's blood boil. Every now and then she would look over at him and would find herself trying to figure out whether his nonchalant attitude were real or put on for show because Rachel was around.

 

"So are you?"

 

"So, am I what?" Laura asked.

 

"Are you going to go out with him again?"

 

"I don't know."

 

"What do you mean you don't know? I remember a time when you used to tell me that you would have to change your thong after one conversation with him because he would make you so wet...And that was only with the hello and how are you's, Laura!"

 

CRASH!! Laura and Rachel immediately turned their heads towards JC who had dropped a plate onto the floor. He was finding it hard to listen to them speak so bluntly. They had always spoken candidly before, but it was different hearing it now because of his involvement with Laura.  Rachel turned back to Laura, whose face was the same color as a ripe tomato and continued to speak, "You mean to tell me that when he is finally sitting there trying to actually get in your pants you didn't get horny at all? You are fuckin full of shit!" Rachel laughed.

 

"Yes." Laura said, trying to motion her to stop.

 

"What? Why are you suddenly shy with this topic? Is it because of you and JC?"

 

Both Laura and JC looked at her quickly and simultaneously asked, "What do you mean?"

 

Rachel turned and looked at him and then back at her. "Jesus...What's wrong with you two? No need to bite my head off. I was just wondering if she felt weird talking about it because you might go back and tell Justin...Damn!" Rachel said as she stood up and handed JC her glass.

 

Laura tried to recover, "Yeah, I guess I feel a little strange about it, but I know he wouldn't say anything…"  Laura needed a way out of this conversation and fast. "What time is it? Don't you think we should get going so we are not running late for the ceremony? We have to get our hair and nails done and I still need to stop by and pick up my dress, and do a whole bunch of other things before we leave."

 

Rachel rushed to get her things as Laura tried to sneak a kiss to make sure things were still okay between she and JC. He smiled and whispered that he was fine. Laura leaned up to quickly kiss him before Rachel returned. JC took his index and middle finger and kissed them right before he placed them on her forehead before walking away over to the table to eat his cereal. Laura un-puckered her lips and looked away trying to figure out what had just happened, but was soon distracted by Rachel pulling her arm to leave.

Chapter 19 by DesperateThoughts

Hundreds of lights were flashing as Laura stepped out of the limo. She looked around and noticed the reporters lined on both sides of the red carpet. She looked ahead and could see Lance. She desperately tried to spot JC but could not see him in the crowd of people lined up to go inside.

 

"I didn't think it would be this crowded here tonight, Rach."

 

"What are you worried about? You look fantastic. I'm going to have to borrow that dress from you."

 

As they walked down the red carpet towards the entrance to the theater reporters called out to Laura for pictures and questions.

"…Tonight I can at least relax. There is no anxiety over whether I am going to win or not because I am not up for an award tonight. I'm just here to support my friends." Laura smiled as she continued with interviews. She glanced over and could see JC talking to an E! reporter and almost as if he could read her mind he turned around and looked directly at her. She slightly smiled as he continued with his interview.

 

"Ms. Charles! Is it true that you and JC Chasez are teaming up to write for the new pop sensation Michael Stewart?"

 

JC heard his named being mentioned and turned to Laura. She was stunned at the question because no one was suppose to know that they were working together on the album until the press release which was a month away.  "--Yes that's right. Ms. Charles and Mr. Chasez are exclusively working with Virgin Records on this album. Its sure to be a smash hit." Jerry chimed in. "Hey JC, why don't you come over and get in a few pictures with me and Laura!" he yelled.

 

JC immediately knew who leaked the information and tried not to let his anger show as he walked over to Laura and Jerry and dawned a smile for the camera's.

 

As they were posing, Laura could hear reporters competing for JC's attention with tons of questions, "Are you going to be a featured guest artist on the album, Mr. Chasez? Have you and Ms. Charles worked together before? Have you and Mr. Emerson reconciled your differences since recent events involving Ms. Stafford?" Laura knew JC could hear the questions and how much the last one must have hurt, but he continued on as though they didn't exist. JC smiled as he spoke to Reba McEntire who had been walking down the carpet to go inside as well.

 

JC tried his best not to hear the press dig into Laura next. He was used to it, but Laura had been a rather private person. People would know and love the songs, but they never wondered who the person behind the music was until she had co-written a few songs for Christina Aguilera. "Ms. Charles, is it true that you and Ms. Stafford are close friends? How do you think that will affect your work with JC? Do you think there will be a possible romance with you working so closely with Mr. Chasez?"

 

While smiling for pictures with his teeth clenched, JC leaned sideways closer to Jerry and said, "If you fuck this up for us, you'll live to regret it."

 

Laura didn't know if JC's comment to Jerry was about their deal or if he was referring to their relationship. He wanted to turn and comfort Laura but knew he couldn't with all the spotlights on him.

 

Laura felt her face becoming hotter and hotter. She wanted to run away but knew she was trapped. Hundreds of questions coming from every direction. Flashes of light that never seemed to end. Just when she thought she couldn't take anymore a hand grabbed hers. "Hey Laura! How have you been, girl?" a voice rang out loudly. Laura looked up and Justin was smiling down at her. He continued to smile as he talked to her. "This is how you work it, hun. Continue to smile and laugh like you are enjoying yourself out here, but at the same time we can talk about all these freaks who are snapping pictures like we were zoo animals."

 

Chris soon joined Laura and Justin in their conversation. "See this geek over here snapping photos. No wonder he is behind the camera instead of in front of it." Chris joked. Laura began to chuckle as Justin and Chris laughed hysterically towards the cameraman who began to laugh along with them out of mere confusion as to what was going on. Through a wide smile Justin looked at her and asked if she was OK. Laura just smiled back and nodded her head and said thank you as they continued with interviews before finally proceeding inside to take their seats.

 

JC and the rest of the guys were seated up front. Laura, Rachel and Jerry were seated almost at the back of the theater. Laura was beginning to regret her decision to sit with her best friend. "Had I known we had the nose bleed seats, I would have taken JC up on his offer to sit with the guys."

 

"Oh hush, Laura." Rachel smiled.

 

Laura and Rachel continued to joke around all evening. The ceremony had become long and drawn out like the Oscars and they were trying their best to keep themselves interested as they sent each other text messages about the people in the rows ahead of them. Jerry had to play baby-sitter as he continuously told the two women to behave themselves.

 

They would pause every now and then when the guys would receive awards. The loudest voices in the back hooting and hollering would be none other than Rachel and Laura pretending to be fanatical teenagers.  "Marry me, Lance!"  Rachel yelled.

 

When the nominees for Outstanding Achievement in Song writing were announced, Laura immediately became silent and sat up. She had received the award the year previous so she was not eligible for it this year. JC had been nominated in the category and she was crossing her fingers for him. When he was announced the recipient of the award, JC dropped his face into his hands in surprise.

 

His first instinct was to find Laura and hug her, but she was no where in sight. Laura sat up in her chair and watched him with a deep grin on her face. As he took the award and shook the man's hand he stood there and looked down at it and let out a long sigh and smiled, "Wow...I just want to thank those who voted for me. I was up against some of the best songwriters around. I don't think of myself as the best of the bunch by any means. I just think I had an angel on my shoulder," he smiled as he looked out into the crowd towards Laura. "I want to first and foremost thank God and my parents. I want to thank the guys...Justin, Chris, Lance and Joey. You're my brothers. And that's eternal...No matter what anyone else tells us, we've managed to stay strong...TOGETHER. That bond can never be broken between us...NEVER. To Rachel, Jenny, Laura, and Rich...I hold you guys right here in my heart."

Upon hearing their names Rachel squeezed Laura's arm and smiled at their honorable mention in his speech. JC continued to thank the record producers and management until finally concluding his speech. "And last but not least I want to thank a very special person. You know who you are. You amaze me. All those times when I would want to throw my hands up and quit, you never let me...You pushed me to keep going. Every time I thought the battle was just too hard to fight, you gave me the strength I needed to win. Every time I told myself that I couldn't do it, you told me I could…And that I would. You've been there for it all. The great, the good, the bad, and the ugly...no matter what."

 

Rachel's smile grew deeper as she listened to JC speak. He had her complete attention. Laura was also sitting there smiling focusing her attention to JC while he concluded his speech, "I know that things haven't been easy and I know that they will only get more complicated, but if you give me the chance, I promise that I will be that solid rock for you, that you have been for me. Thank you so much for everything. I Love You...This is for you...Thank you." he said as he lifted the award up in the air as he tried to hold back the tears that were beginning to form in his eyes.

 

As they were clapping for JC while he walked off-stage, Laura quickly wiped the tears from her face and looked towards Rachel who was also wiping her eyes. Laura figured she was emotional because of the speech and smiled at her. "That was beautiful wasn't it?" Rachel asked Laura. Laura nodded and smiled. Her smile faded as she thought of the repercussions of what JC had just started.

Chapter 20 by DesperateThoughts

Who were you talking about when you made that speech on stage, dude?" Joey asked as the guys sat in the limo.

 

"Who do you think?" JC asked.

 

"I couldn't tell. I am guessing it was for Laura, but then you said 'I love you' and I didn't know if you meant Laura or Rachel…Or Whether that 'I Love You' was the platonic 'I Love You Pal' or the romantic 'OOHH Baby I Love you,'" he stated.

 

JC was sitting next to Lance who slightly turned his head to speak. "Yeah, man, I thought the same thing."

 

"It was for Laura. When has Rachel been there for me lately?"

 

"You just sidetracked us with the 'I love you' because it seemed genuine." Justin defended.

 

JC rolled his eyes before speaking. "She's my best friend. I love her. You're my best friends…I love you all too. I don't see you guys confusing that one up so why this?" he stated sarcastically.

 

Chris' head was in the gutter, "Sometimes I do get confused when you say you love me…But I'm okay with your alternative lifestyle."

 

"Shut up!"

 

"Damn, I'm starving. What are they serving at the hall we are going to for the after party?" Joey asked as he grabbed JC's program from the ceremony for some clue to the menu at the banquet hall.

 

Justin looked at Joey and made a comment about Joey's endless appetite while he took his phone out of his pocket. "I wouldn't even consider it a real party. It's basically just dinner and some music…It's not our usual scene, Joey." he stated as he retrieved a number from his phone's memory.

 

~~~

 

The limo ride to the hall was silent as Rachel, Laura, and Jerry were lost in their own thoughts.

 

Jerry suddenly broke the silence. "Look Laura, it's just P.R."

 

Laura looked over at him and rolled her eyes before turning her gaze back outside.

 

"Why are you and JC getting so upset about this? You know how this business works!" he defended.

 

Just as Laura turned to tell Jerry off, her cell phone began to ring. "Hello?"

 

"What cha doin'?" Justin asked as he scooted down in his chair to get more comfortable.

 

"Arguing with Jerry."

 

"Oh well that explains why you looked pissed as hell." he smiled. Laura looked around and noticed limo's on all four sides of theirs. "Where the heck are you that you can see me?"

 

Justin pushed the button to roll down his window and poked his head out. "Look to your left."

 

"Laura looked and saw Justin smiling back at her with the phone to his ear. JC looked over at him and tried to lean to see her.

"When you gonna to let me see what's under that cloak?" he smirked.

 

JC tried to focus on something else other than Justin's flirtations with Laura. 

 

Laura burst out with laughter. "Why? It's just a dress, Justin…You already saw it yesterday."

 

"Yeah but you were just trying it on. Now that it actually fits your curves more…I want the full effect."

 

JC blood was boiling and all he could think about was lunging across the limo and punching Justin in the face. "Plus I was talking about it so much that everyone else wants to see it too." he continued.

 

Chris pushed Justin's head out of the way to yell out the window to Laura. "Yeah, he said that it looks like that white thing Kylie Minogue wears in her video."

 

Chris, Lance, and Justin immediately began to sing, "Girl, I can't get you outta my head. Your lovin' is all I think about!" All three men paused and looked at each other before, as if on cue, Joey joined in with them, "La La La…La La La La La La La La."

 

Rachel immediately interrupted. "Ya'll are going to get arrested for disturbing the peace with that racket you call singing!"

 

Chris moved back away from the window as he said, "Shut Up, Bitch." making sure he didn't say it lound enough for Rachel to actually hear him.

 

The guys immediately began to laugh. Rachel looked towards the car wondering what was so funny. Laura tried not to laugh when she heard Chris through her phone. She just smiled and shook her head at Rachel. Traffic was backed up for blocks in route to the banquet hall. "Before I forget, I want to thank you for earlier." she stated.

 

"What do you mean?" A group of girls walking down the street spotted Justin and began to scream out their names. Laura laughed and motioned for him to put up his window.

 

"On the red carpet...With all the reporters. I was about to go nuts before you came over and helped me relax."

 

"My pleasure. So are you going to eat with us later at our table?" he asked.

 

Laura sat and thought about it and turned and look back at Rachel and Jerry and then back towards Justin, who had rolled his window back down.

"Well I don't know. It all depends on if its okay with certain people we know."

 

Justin squinted his eyes and tried to figure out what she was talking about and suddenly smiled when he got her point. "Let me find out." Justin looked towards JC who was staring out the opposite window. "JC."

 

"What!" he angrily answered.

 

All the guys were startled. Justin quickly leaned back and put his hand up, "Yo, you better chill with all that!"

 

JC tried to downplay his reaction, "Sorry…That didn't come out right at all."

 

"Do you think you will be able to survive a couple hours with Jerry and Rachel at our table?"

 

"Rachel is cool. As long as Jerry doesn't sit near me, we're straight."

 

"Aight, babes. We're cool. I'll work it out before we get there. Save me a dance?"

 

"Sure." she smiled as traffic began to let up and Justin's limo started to pull away in front of them.

 

The guys arrived at the hall first and waited in the lobby for Laura, Rachel and Jerry. When they pulled up Laura stepped out first and waiting on Rachel and Jerry to follow. The guys noticed that she was standing outside alone, tapping her foot with a look of frustration on her face. She looked inside and saw them wondering what was going on. She put up her hand and moved her fingers up and down connecting them with her thumb while she mouthed that they were arguing. Lance motioned for her to come inside without them.  "What are they arguing about?" he asked as she walked into the building.

 

"I don't know. Right before we pulled up they were talking low to one another. When I get out of the car Rachel tells me to wait a second and Jerry shuts to door behind me and then I hear yelling."

JC looked out the window and wondered what was going on. "You comin' man?" Justin called out. JC turned around and noticed that they all had started walking. Laura looked back at him and saw his attention focused on the car.

 

As they walked to the coat room JC stood behind Laura and offered to help her out of her long flowing white satin cloak. As she stepped out of it and turned around, JC almost dropped the coat along with his jaw. She smiled and took it out of his hand and she handed it to the woman behind the counter who handed her a numbered ticket.

 

"What made you buy that?" he whispered in her ear while the guys were talking amongst themselves.

 

"It was pretty."

 

"Pretty isn't the word for it." he mumbled. Where's the rest of it?" he asked as his cock began to stir as he looked down at the exposed areas of her body.

 

Laura looked at him and smiled and tapped his cheek lightly with her hand. "Chill. I'm sorry if you don't like it…But I do. And that's pretty much all that really matters here."

 

"I never said I didn't like it. You look amazing....I just-"

 

"Are we ready?" Justin interrupted. Whistles began to echo in the hallway from Lance, Joey, and Chris cooing after Laura. Her face immediately began to turn colors as she smiled. "Guys…stop."

 

"Yeah…really…Stop." JC said with a serious look on his face. The remaining four men looked at each other wondering to themselves. Laura shot JC a glare to remind him to take it easy.

 

As they walked into the door they were immediately surrounded by visions of large extravagant crystal chandeliers. All the tables were setup perfectly with large flower arrangements and small lit candles to add a touch of warm atmosphere for those around. There was a stage and dance floor in the front of the room. Everyone's breath was taken away as they all starred at the domed glass ceiling over the stage. It made it feel as though you were dancing underneath the stars. Their table was up front by the dance floor. When they were seated, JC went to hold the chair for Laura, but she proceeded to sit in between Chris and Justin on the other side of the table where the two extra chairs were placed for Rachel and Jerry.

Fifteen minutes later Rachel walks into the dining area with Jerry following behind her stopping to say hello to people he knew. Laura could see Rachel had been crying. Lance stood up to pull out her chair as she sat down. JC looked over from his conversation with Joey to see that Rachel looked upset and her face was flushed.

 

"Are you OK?" Laura asked her friend.

 

"No. Not at all." She replied before looking across the table at JC and saying, "We need to talk later, JC."

 

"Ummm…Okay. About?" he asked puzzled.

 

"Later." She firmly stated.

 

"Fine." JC replied and went back to talking to Joey.

 

"What's going on, Rach?"

 

"Jerry can go out and play Mr. Big shot out there in public, but he isn't going to play that shit with me."

 

"Ooookkkaaayyy" Laura responded as she turned her head the other way and sipped her drink. Laura knew better than to try and get into her best friends line of fire when she was pissed off.

Chapter 21 by DesperateThoughts

After the waiters came over and took dinner orders, everyone began to get up and mingle at other tables. Laura and Rachel retreated to the bathroom to freshen up. When they walked back into the large dining room, they noticed that the music had already began to play. Spandua Ballet's hit "This Much Is True" began to flow throughout the entire room.

 

"This is my favorite song." Laura said excitedly as they started back to their table.

 

They were both immediately startled by Justin who popped up as if out of nowhere, "May I have this dance?"

 

Rachel smiled at Laura. "Ummm...Sure." she said as he took her hand and led her out to the dance floor.

 

JC was sitting at a nearby table talking to a couple of record producers when he noticed Justin and Laura walking towards the dance floor. He tuned out their conversation as he watched them. Laura looked around nervously before entwining her fingers with Justin's as he placed his other hand on the small of her back and pulled her closer to him. Laura rested her free hand on his shoulder as they began to dance.

 

Justin decided to test her. "What movie is this from?"

 

"Hmm...I'm guessing something Molly Ringwaldish...Pretty in Pink? At the end when they were at prom..."

 

"Very good." Justin smiled, clearly impressed by her knowledge.

 

"Yeah, I'm a big movie buff. JC sucks at our games of TV trivia."

 

"Speaking of him...Like his speech he gave earlier?"

 

"It was nice. " She nonchalantly said as they continued to sway to the music.

 

"You know it was for you right?" he said as he looked down into her eyes.

 

"Huh? What do you mean?" she asked. Laura was playing the innocent naive role where JC's speech was concerned.

 

"The part when he said 'I love you'. That was for you."

 

"Oh."

 

"That's the first time he has done that. He never even gave Rachel an 'I love you' when they were dating."

 

"He does it with you guys. Why not with me? We are just as close?"

 

"That's the same thing he said. We were all confused about it at first, but now it makes sense." he replied as he twirled her around slowly to watch her entire body as she turned.

 

"I just don't want people thinking there is anything else there, Justin. I most often times have to defend our friendship to you!" she joked.

 

"I understand. Did you give any thoughts to us going out again sometime?"

 

Laura began to laugh as Justin pulled her closer to his body. "Damn, Justin! It hasn't even been 24 hours since the last time we went out. You have to give me time to miss you." she said, smiling up at him.

 

"It usually doesn't take but 5 minutes for a girl to miss me. I must be losing my touch." he joked.

 

"You really surprise me."

 

"Why's that?" he asked with a puzzled look on his face.

 

"Because you are nothing like you appear to be." she smiled as she looked into his eyes.

 

"What do I appear to be?"

 

"Well most often times you have this player mentality and you seem like you are only about loving em' and leaving em', but that's not what you're about."

 

"How can you tell for sure?" he whispered lightly in her ear.

 

"Because...The extreme amount of effort that you put into our date yesterday...in the little bit of time you had to plan it...was amazing. I don't think anyone would go that far if they were only trying to get a good piece of ass."

 

"Well if you spent half as much time with me as you do with JC, you would have found that out a long time ago. I go to great lengths for things that are dear to me."

 

Laura looked at him, puzzled by what he had just said, but was scared to venture down that road of conversation with him. "So what do you think went on between Jerry and Rachel earlier?" she asked trying to change to subject.

 

"I don't know. Probably the usual. Why are you trying to change the subject, Ms. Slickster?" he grinned as he dipped her back.

 

"Because I don't want to get into that subject with you right now."

 

"You scared to blow up my ego or something?"

 

"No...It's just that-"

 

A man soon interrupted over the loudspeaker and announced that dinner was being served. Justin took Laura's hand and led her back to their table. As he held her chair for her, he curiously looked around and asked, "Where did JC go?"

"The last time I saw him, he was sitting over there." Chris pointed out to the table next to theirs.

"He looked upset when I saw him. He was walking past me out into the lobby by the rest rooms." Jerry stated as held out Rachel's chair. Rachel grabbed her chair and said she could do it herself, before rolling her eyes at him and taking a seat.

Chapter 22 by DesperateThoughts

Laura wanted to go and look for JC but did not want to arouse suspicion. They all sat and talked amongst themselves and Joey noted that their table would have a few minutes to wait till it was served.   "I'm going to run and freshen up before dinner then. I'll be back in a few minutes."

 

"If you see JC out there, tell him that we are about to eat please." Rachel noted.

 

"Okay."

 

As Laura entered the lobby she looked around for JC, but there wasn't a soul in sight. As she walked back towards the rest rooms she heard a whisper coming from a long dark corridor. She stopped and looked down the long hallway but could not see a thing because it was so dark.  "Psstt..."

 

Laura looked around and couldn't tell where the whisper was coming from. A woman walked by and recognized Laura. They stood there for a few moments talking, before she asked for Laura's autograph. She handed her a napkin and Laura proceeded to place it against the wall near the dark corridor to sign it. Once she was done she waved good-bye to the woman, she started towards the restrooms when a hand grabbed her arm and pulled her into the darkness.

 

"Ssshhh...Its me, baby." JC covered her mouth to silence her screams.


"Are you crazy?! I was about to kick your ass, JC!" she whispered loudly. He laughed lightly and let go of her arm. "They're serving dinner so you might want to go inside if you want to eat."

 

"Yeah I'm going in a minute. I needed some fresh air."

 

"Oh." she said. "You OK?"

 

"I'm fine now."

 

"Good...Congratulations on the award." she said as she looked down the hall to make sure no one was there before she cupped his face in her hands and lightly kissed his lips and hugged him tightly. "The speech was beautiful."

 

"I meant what I said, Laura." he said slowly.

 

"I know." she smiled.

 

JC moved in closer while he began to kiss her neck. Laura eyes began to flutter into the back of her head as she felt his soft lips touch her skin. "oooh...God...JC...please..."

He slowly ran his hands up the front of her chest, caressing her breasts as he kissed her passionately. He slowly began to move his hands down to feel the rest of her body. Laura reflexively moved her leg up around JC's waist and the slits on the sides of her dress gave him all the access he needed. As he ran his hands up her thighs to the sides of her waste he quickly stopped kissing her neck and looked at her in shock.

 

"No panties? Not even a thong?" he asked.

 

"I can't wear either with this dress JC. It was either a G-string or nothing. See?" she said as she glided his hand further up her side to a flimsy string going around her waste.

 

"I don't think I can wait until we get home to see this Laura."

 

"You're going to have to, JC." she said with a serious look on her face as she fixed her dress. "Come on. Let's go and eat before someone sees us, please."

 

JC took her arm and pulled her back to him and lightly pushed her back up against the wall. "Who'd you really wear this dress for? Me or him?"

 

Laura was confused, "Him? Who are you talking about? Justin?"

 

"You two seem to be enjoying the night."

 

"He asked me to dance. What was I suppose to say? Oh no Justin, I can't dance with you, because I am secretly dating your best friend and don't want him to get jealous? Come on, JC. Get a grip." she hissed. JC smiled while he thumbed her nipples as she continued to talk. He was amused by the way she tried to not show how turned on she was becoming. "I wore the dress because it looked nice...on...me...Dammit JC...You can't make me any wetter than I already am." Laura flung her arms around his neck and pulled him into her as she feverishly kissed him. JC quickly put one hand around her back and one against the wall to hold his balance. The bulge in his pants was growing by the second. She was so turned on that she didn't care who walked by anymore. All she knew is that she wanted him. She ran her hands down the back of his shirt and he moved the front of her dress aside. He slowly slid her G-string aside with expert ease and began to rub her clit. Her nails were soon digging into the back of his shirt into his back as he continued.

"See, baby...if you would have given me what I wanted earlier this morning we both wouldn't be as worked up as we are right now." he whispered as he ran his tongue down her ear and lightly bit her earlobe as he continued. "Damn, your soaking wet!" JC dipped two fingers into her pussy sending Laura in a state of confusion. To keep herself from crying out she bit down on the closest thing near her mouth...JC's neck. "Ahhh..." he hissed as he bit her in return. "Taste me." she demanded.

JC brought his two fingers up to his mouth and licked them clean of her juices as he looked deep into her eyes. Laura breathed heavily trying to catch her breath. "No...Taste me, JC." she commanded as she placed her hand on his shoulder and pushed down, leading him in the direction she wanted him to go.

He knelt down on his knees and took her right leg and placed it over his shoulder as he pushed her dress aside again before his head disappeared under the white satin of her dress. Laura's arms flailed around as she tried to grab onto something to muffle her screams but could only bit down on her own hand as she felt JC's hot wet tongue enter her. When he began to lightly suck on her now swollen clit, she immediately grabbed a chunk of his hair and pushed him deeper. "Oh, God JC. I'm gonna cum soon...Don't stop."

Being in public made it all the more exciting as he continued his tongue lashing. Laura noticed someone walk by out of the corner of her eye and quickly came back to reality as she pushed JC's head away from her crotch and fixed her dress.

 

JC was startled as he fell backwards onto the floor before bumping his head on the opposite wall. "What's wrong? Did I hurt you?" he asked.

 

"No. We need to stop." she stated as she fixed her clothes. "Someone just walked by."

 

"So? They can't see us down here, Laura."

 

"I'm paranoid, JC. This isn't right at all." she fixed his hair. "I'm sorry sweetie. I just can't." she said as she kissed him on the lips while rubbing his throbbing cock through his dress pants. JC's eyes rolled into the back of his head before he grabbed her hands and brought them back up to his face and kissed them. He took a deep breath and said "Come out a few minutes behind me. I need to go to the bathroom and run some ice water down my pants." he said as he looked both ways and walked out of the dark corridor.

 

Laura couldn't help but laugh out loud. She waited a few moments and then proceeded out the corridor and made a left into the lobby.

 

"What the hell were you doing down there?" a voice rang out from behind her.

Chapter 23 by DesperateThoughts

Laura jumped back in surprise. "Dammit, Justin. What is up with you and this whole popping up everywhere routine lately?!"

 

"My mother always told me that when someone is startled, it usually means they are up to no good." he smiled.

Laura rolled her eyes and pushed Justin as they slowly walked towards the ballroom. "I wasn't 'up to no good' as you and your momma say....I was just....Having some female issues."

 

Justin's face crinkled up as he shook his entire body. "Okay, you can keep that personal shit to yourself. No need to expound any further on the matter."

 

"Whatever!" she teased as she prayed to God that Justin didn't see JC walk out ahead of her moments earlier. She was soon relieved when he went on to gossip about other people who were inside.

 

As they reached the table, Laura noticed that JC was already back and engaged in conversation with Rachel.

 

"JC, what the hell happened to your neck?" Chris asked.

 

With a confused look on his face, JC asked, "What are you talking about?" as he touched his neck. He quickly remembered Laura biting it minutes earlier. "My collar was bothering me. I kept itching in that one spot and couldn't stop scratching it. Its all irritated now." he explained. Laura looked away from the table trying not to smile. Joey was studying the red mark on his neck and was just about to touch it until JC moved his head back "It should be fine in a couple minutes, guys."

 

As their food was being served Laura turned to the waiter and asked for another glass of water. Rachel turned to ask her to request two more from the waiter until she noticed a similar red mark on Laura's neck beneath her hairline.  Laura turned to ask Rachel if she wanted a glass too, but Rachel was staring off into space.  Laura tapped her on the shoulder, "Earth to Rachel? Do you want another glass of water or not?"

 

"Huh? Umm....Yes please." she quickly answered before returning to her own thoughts. Rachel was silent for most of the evening. She just sat back and watched everyone interacting. She noticed Justin leaning in and whispering to Laura and hoped that he was the one that had been the cause of the mark on her neck, but something inside her was telling her she was out of the loop on something.

 

JC has noticed Rachel's observations and knew something was going on in her head since she was so quiet. He also noticed Justin's incessant whispers to Laura, who seemed to be enjoying things way too much. As he was looking around at everyone, he locked eyes with Rachel who seemed to be staring at him. He mouthed 'what' and she just smiled and mouthed back to him, 'later.'

 

The host for the evening got on-stage and stated that while dessert was being prepared he wanted to have people come up and do a little karaoke so he could test out the machine they had just bought for the banquet hall. JC could feel Rachel's eyes stabbing him and decided to take the opportunity to retreat away from her by volunteering on-stage. He jumped up on stage and went through the list before picking a song.

 

When Laura heard the music begin to play she immediately stopped speaking and turned around to see JC standing on the stage. Justin looked at her and wondered what made her turn so quickly, but shrugged it off and looked in JC's direction as he began to sing.

Hey where did we go,

Days when the rains came

Down in the hollow,

Playin' a new game,

Laughing and a running hey, hey

Skipping and a jumping

In the misty morning fog with

Our hearts a thumpin' and you

My brown eyed girl,

You my brown eyed girl.

Laura quickly began to smile and laugh lightly to herself as she watched JC on-stage. It was one of her favorite songs as a child and lately, she'd been singing it all the time. She couldn't seem to get it out of her head. It must have also worn off on JC.

 

Joey and Chris got up and joined him on stage.  As they began to sing, JC motioned for everyone in the room to join in with them, "Do you remember when we used to sing," He pointed the mic out towards the crowd and everyone joined in.

Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da

"Just like that!" he smiled.

Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da

La te da

So hard to find my way,

Now that I'm all on my own.

I saw you just the other day,

My how you have grown,

Cast my memory back there, Lord

Sometime I'm overcome thinking 'bout

Making love in the green grass

Behind the stadium with you

My brown eyed girl

You my brown eyed girl

Everyone in the room sung out in unison together, "Do you remember when we used to sing

Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da. "

As he finished the song everyone cheered as he smiled and got down off the stage.

"Let's give another hand to JC for cheering up the room a bit with his rendition of that Van Morrison classic. Thanks man!" the host announced as he clapped in JC's direction.

 

When dessert was finally served, Jerry stood up and began to speak. "Well guys, I hate to have to leave in the middle of dessert and this great time we're having but I have an early start tomorrow."

 

Chris sarcastically grinned and said "Oh no, please don't leave us...Just when you were starting to liven things up a bit."

 

"Funny Chris...Thanks again for everything guys. You ready Rachel, we need to get going."

 

"You go on without me. I'll meet you back at home later."

 

Jerry looked at her in disbelief. "What?"

 

"You heard me." All eyes were on Rachel and she didn't want to cause a scene. She slowly stood up and hugged Jerry and kissed him on the cheek, "I want to stay with Laura for a bit longer. I'll meet you back at home later." Jerry looked over at Laura and then agreed. As he was leaving he looked back over at Rachel and noticed her staring at JC. A frown formed on his face as he slowly turned and walked away.

 

As they were leaving Joey and Chris decided to catch a cab and go hit a few clubs before they called it a night. Lance, Justin, Laura, JC and Rachel all jumped into the limo and headed home.

 

Lance was the first to be dropped off and Justin would be the last because of where their houses were. When they reached JC's he thanked everyone for the great time and proceeded to get out of the limo. Rachel stopped him and told him to wait for her as he grabbed her purse and stepped out of the van. He had a confused look on his face and looked towards Laura who quickly asked, "I thought you were coming home with me?"

 

"I need to talk to JC for a bit. I'll be over later." she smiled as she shut the door.

 

Laura began to speak but the door shut before she could get a word out.

Chapter 24 by DesperateThoughts

"Hmmm...I wonder what they are going to talk about?" Justin asked as he grabbed a bottle of champagne and began to pour it into his glass.

 

"I guess it must be important. She has been on that topic of speaking to him all night." she mumbled.

 

As they pulled around the corner to Laura's, she leaned over and kissed Justin on the cheek and said goodnight before crawling over him to get out of the limo.

 

"You're not going to invite me in?"

 

"Did you want to come in?" she asked.

 

"Of course."

 

Laura didn't want Justin to try anything, but at the same time she didn't want to be alone to sit and think about Rachel and JC all evening. "Okay, I guess for a bit."

 

"Great." Justin leaned up and told the driver that he could go home and that Justin would call a cab when he was ready to leave.

 

"Damn! Your house is nice!"

 

"Oh yeah, that's right. You've never been in here before."

 

"I knew song writers got a lot of money, but I would have never guessed this much money!"

 

"Oh hush." she laughed.

 

"I got a good deal on this house is all. And everything here looks more expensive than it actually is."

 

"That grand piano over there must have at least cost you a good $16,000, Laura."

 

"And I know JC said you had a specially made one downstairs that had to at least start in the $25,000 range."

 

Laura just smiled, "If you say so."

 

"Well, then who are you fuckin'?"

 

"What?!"

 

"It was joke...chill. I was asking who you must be having sex to have all this expensive stuff if the house if you aren't as rich as I am assuming."

 

"Oh...Well I guess who I am screwing will remain my best kept secret."

 

Justin suddenly grew quiet. "so I was right?"

 

"Right about what?"

 

"You sleeping with someone these days..."

 

Laura didn't want to lie, but she didn't want to get stuck in a situation of Justin trying to guess who. "No, not really sleeping with anyone right now." It wasn't a lie. Right at the moment when he asked, she wasn't. "I was just playing around with you, Justin."

 

They both sat on the couch and Laura grabbed the remote and turned on the television. Justin grabbed it from her hand and turned it off and shifted his body to face her. "The TV doesn't really interest me right now." he said as he leaned in closer to her. Laura suddenly began to feel nervous.

 

"Then what does?"

 

Justin leaned even closer and Laura jumped at the sound of the stereo being turned on. "This does." He said, asking her how to change to the station he wanted to hear.

 

Laura glared at him as he smirked to her reaction. "There are plenty of CD's over there if you don't want to listen to the radio" she said as she stood up.

 

"Where you going?"

 

Laura laughed, "To get changed out of this dress. I feel damn near naked." She started to walk away until Justin grabbed her hand.

 

"One more dance before you change?"

 

"Ehhh....Sure...Why not?"

 

Justin ran over to the entertainment system looking through CD's while Laura stood there waiting. "Oh this is my shit." he said as he took a CD out of a case. Laura leaned to see what it was but Justin blocked her view while he loaded it into the player and ran back over to where she was standing to dance with her. As soon as the music began to play Laura face lit up.

"Ahh, Michael Jackson huh?"

 

"I love this song." he said as he lightly grabbed her waist and brought her body towards him to dance.

 

"That makes two of us." Laura commented as she nervously wrapped her hands around Justin's neck.

 

There'll Be No Darkness Tonight

Lady Our Love Will Shine (lighting the light)

Just Put Your Trust In My Heart

And Meet Me In Paradise, (now is the time)

Girl, You're Every Wonder In This World To Me

A Treasure Time Won't Steal Away

So Listen To My Heart

Lay Your Body Close To Mine

Let Me Fill You With My Dreams

I Can Make You Feel Alright

And Baby Through The Years

Gonna Love You More Each Day

So I Promise You Tonight

That You'll Always Be The Lady In My Life....

 

"I can't understand how you have this whole other side to you that no one else has ever seen, Justin."

 

"We all have things about us that even our closest friends don't know."

 

"True." she agreed as they continued to dance in silence listening to the music.

 

The music had ended but Laura and Justin were still swaying, off in their own thoughts. Justin stood back and looked at Laura.

 

"What?" she smiled as he starred into her eyes.

 

"Nothing."

 

"Okay. Well I'm going to get changed so make yourself at home. You know how to work the remote. I'll be back in a few minutes." she said as she walked out of the room.

 

Laura closed her bedroom door and leaned her head against the wall as she talked to herself, "Get it together, Laura."

She quickly took a shower and changed into a pair of sweat pants and a spaghetti strapped shirt she looked out the window towards JC's. She could see the lights were still on and wondered if Rachel was still there. Laura made it up in her mind that she was going to trust JC and not think about it for the rest of the night.

 

"What you watchin'?" she asked Justin as she walked back into the room with two glasses of ice and soda.

 

"Videos." There's nothing else on.

 

"There's a million CD's over there if you want to check them out."

 

"Believe me I did when you were gone. I wanted to wait for you to get back though."

 

"Oh. Well turn it on."

 

Justin pressed play and soon joined her back on the couch. Luther Vandross' "A House Is Not A Home" began to play. They talked for awhile bout the evening and life in general. As if out of no where Justin chimed in, "So tell me straight up now so that I am not left with any doubts..."

 

"Tell you what?" she asked as she tossed a piece of popcorn towards her mouth.

 

"Do you see this thing between us going anywhere?"

 

Laura stopped chewing. "Any further than friends? Right now, I just can't."

 

"Not attracted to me?"

 

"Believe me, Justin....It's not that at all. My mind just isn't in it right now."

 

"Nor your heart?"

 

"Right now, I can't say that it is...I've got too much going on in my life right now to try and concentrate on a relationship right now."

 

"This doesn't have anything to do with JC at all?"

 

"Part of it does. Your best friends...Just as I am best friends with him. But trust me, I would never lead you on and I would always tell you if I had those type of feelings for you."

 

"So you're telling me that even when we were dancing together tonight you felt absolutely nothing?"

 

Laura started laughing, "Justin, I've had plenty of sexual fantasies about you tonight, but I would never play them out with you."

 

"Ahh, I see." he smirked. "So I can wear you down if I keep at it."

 

"You can try, but I don't think it would do any good, sweetie." she smiled, throwing a piece of popcorn at him.

 

"Let me get my ass out of here before you get me any more sexually frustrated then I already am." he laughed, pulling his cell phone out to call a cab.

 

They both sat and talked some more as they waited for the cab to arrive. Laura walked Justin to the door and gave him a hug and watched him walk over to the cab. He started to get inside and turned around quickly.

 

"Oh damn...I almost forgot to tell you! Rachel called you."

 

"She did?"

 

Justin ran back up the door so he wouldn't wake up the entire neighborhood with his yelling. "You were in the shower. She just told me to tell you he knows."

 

"He knows?"

 

"Yeah that's all she said. I'll see you later." He kissed her cheek and ran back to the cab.

 

With a confused look on her face she waved to Justin and closed to door and she turned off the lights to go to bed. "He knows?" she asked herself. "He knows what?" Suddenly her face turned white as though she'd seen a ghost. "Oh fuck! He knows!" she said in realization. "What the hell am I going to do?"

Chapter 25 by DesperateThoughts

Laura left numerous messages on Rachel's phone to find out exactly what he knew, but only got in touch with Jerry, who told her Rachel would be out of town until the next afternoon.

 

Laura paced around her living room. Looking at the clock. 'Damn its only noon. He isn't up.' she thought to herself. She then looked out the window every few seconds trying to see movement. She was afraid to even step foot outside, but knew she would eventually have to face him.

 

"Later, after a nap." she told herself. She hadn't slept all night and her body was screaming for rest. She went and took a couple sleeping pills to help in the process.

 

Awakened by lips all over her face, Laura squinted her eyes and saw Buddy standing on her bed waging his tail. "Hey you. What are you doing over here so early? Did your daddy not wake up to feed you baby?" she said as she pet the dog.

 

"So early? Its 6 pm." a voice from behind her said.

 

Laura quickly jumped up and saw that it was JC. She lowered her eyes and began to speak, "I didn't know you were here."

 

Laura tried to read JC's face for some form of clue as to what he was feeling. "Are you sick?"

 

"Huh?" she asked.

 

"I said are you sick? You never sleep this late in the day, Laura." he replied as he felt her forehead. Laura moved her head away from his touch.

 

"I'm fine." she stated as she got out of bed and walked into the bathroom to brush her teeth.

 

JC started to read Laura an article in the rolling stones about the group. She was completely confused. 'Why isn't he yelling at me by now? Is he trying to torment me?'

 

"Are you OK, JC?"

 

"I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be, Laura?"

 

"You're not mad at me?"

 

"Why would I be mad at you Laura?"

 

"Because of Rachel, JC. Please don't act coy." Laura went on to explain, but the phone began to ring. "Hello?"

 

"Laura? It's Jerry. Rachel called and wanted me to give you the number for where she is staying tonight."

 

"Oh great. Thanks, Jerry."

 

"Umm, Laura?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"I know....Rachel told me last night...Hopefully you will be able to explain this to me, because I don't understand."

 

"YOU know?" she desperately asked.

 

"Yes."

 

Relief quickly replaced all the anxiety that had been building up inside her.  Rachel must have been talking about Jerry when she said, 'he knows'. She was still confused as to what he knew, but was thankful that it wasn't JC she was referring to. "Whatever you need, I'll help." she replied with a slight smile.

 

Jerry reminded her of a party that she and JC were suppose to attend that evening at a Michael Stewart's house to mingle with different people for promotional purposes.

 

"Thanks, Jerry. I'll let him know." she said before hanging up the phone.

 

JC rolled his eyes and let his body fall back onto her bed. "What does he want now?"

 

"We have to go to some party at 8."

 

JC put a pillow over his face and began to scream. Laura climbed on top of him straddling his chest and she struggled to grab the pillow back away from his face. "We don't have to stay long." she smiled. JC slowly ran his hands up her thighs. "No?"

"Nope." she said as she lightly kissed his lips. JC arched his head up to kiss her more deeply but she pulled away and sprang off the bed to find a dress to wear.

 

"Ya Tease!" he yelled, letting his fist fall to the bed.

 

"Awww...Poor baby." she mocked. While she was at the mirror toying with her hair, JC walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her wait and patted her stomach.

 

"What was that for?"

 

"Just wondering if something would pat back." JC said as he looked down at her stomach in the mirror's reflection.

 

"Like what?" Laura wondered.

 

"Joshua Jr."

 

Laura spun her head around. "Why would you think that?" she asked defensively.

Chapter 26 by DesperateThoughts

"Well you never sleep as much as you have been lately..."

 

"Is this wishful thinking?"

 

"Possibly." he smiled as he lightly nibbled on her earlobe before slowly running his tongue down her neck and across her shoulder.

 

"JC you need to go and get ready." she said as she looked at him in the mirror and patted the side of his face.

JC twirled her around to face him, "I haven't been inside you in almost 3 days, baby."

 

He began to lightly suck on her neck. Laura didn't want him to stop, but knew she had to be the responsible one tonight. "JC stop. Go get dressed. The limo will be here to pick us up at 7:30."

 

"Okay, okay!"

 

Laura followed his movements as he walked across the yard and disappeared behind the fence. She walked over to her bed and grabbed the birth control pills from the drawer in the nightstand.  She starred down at the pill for what seemed like an eternity.  After a few moments of reflection she popped the pill into her mouth and took a sip of her water before talking the glass and pouring it onto her head. "Get the dick off your mind, girl!" she yelled as she disappeared into the bathroom to get ready.

 

At the party JC and Laura kept their distance from one another so as to not arouse suspicions, but every chance they got, they would lock eyes and exchange dirty innuendoes to each other through and gestures and mouthed words. Jerry soon called them both over to talk to a couple top executives. The men were noticeably drunk. Jerry excused himself to schmooze with two lawyers who had just arrived. Not very far into conversation, Laura became uncomfortable with the topic of conversation. "So how does it feel to have to work with that asshole who screwed you over the way he did? And Rachel? How could you give that extraordinary woman up?"

 

The older man soon began to slur his words when he spoke, "I mean what a nice piece of ass she must have been! And your Co-writer? Lauren? I wonder what it would feel like every night to bang away on her keys!"

 

JC wanted to ram his fist into both their faces, but decided it be best to just excuse himself and walk away from the conversation. As he was about to make his getaway, he could see Laura a few feet away.  She was pretending to be engaged in a different conversation with the server who had brought her over another glass of wine.

 

"Oh wow! No offense, little lady." the one man said as they noticed her presence.

 

"Non taken. I am usually only thought of when dicks are sprung and pussy is on the menu." JC's eyes were wide open. So was everyone else's who were in earshot of her remark.

 

"Well aren't you rather eloquent this evening?"

 

"Just as eloquent as the two of you were a few moments ago when you were speaking about my best friend as if she were a piece of meat and about one of your top rated executives whose ass you should be kissing for bringing me and Mr. Chasez in on this project. But instead, you downgrade him to make yourselves feel more important, because you couldn't do it yourselves."

 

Laura proceeded to sip her wine and look around and wave at few people across the room. One of the men began to respond but was soon cut off by Laura continuing with her rant. "Jerry may be a jerk and honestly, an asshole at times, but he gets the job done. That's more than I can say for the two of you. Now if you will excuse me I am a little too drunk and opinionated right now to continue this conversation with you 'supposed' gentlemen. Good evening." she said as she shoved her glass into JC's hand before retreating to the bathroom to cry.

 

Laura looked into the large mirror that was above the sinks. She didn't focus on her face, makeup or even her hair. She only saw the tears that filled her eyes. In less than a minute she would have to go back to the party. She finally forced her gaze to fix herself. She turned to go and caught a glimpse of back of her dress. From the front it appeared to be a typical black dress that suited so many functions of this type. The bodice of the dress came all way up to the base of her throat. From a distance it looked to be all black. But up close you could see that it was black stretchy lace, and looked as if that is all the wearer had on. But in reality, the lace had a lining of the very thinnest flesh colored fabric, in certain places. The dress fit like skin, from the sleeves to just past the knees, where it flared to allow for easier movement. It was back of the dress that was the center of interest. There was no back until you got to right below her waist. Laura left the protection of the bathroom reluctantly. She knew JC, Jerry and those two men would be waiting for her. She decided to leave and tell them later that she had gotten sick to stomach. Her departure was halted as she walked right into JC who had come to check on her.

 

"I'm tempted to find the nearest exit and make run for it, JC."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because I just made an ass out of myself earlier."

 

"No you didn't."

 

"You gained respect. You stood up to them when most would have just stood there and laughed at their jokes and licked plenty of ass. They don't like shit like that. They want to know you have a mind of your own and are not afraid to say how you feel, Laura."

 

She looked over at the two men who were talking in the corner. Both nodded at her and smiled and went back to their conversation.

 

JC tried his best to help her relax more. "Well, if ever I've seen a woman meant for dancing, you are it."

 

She smiled. "Actually, dancing sounds like a great right about now."

 

Laura laughed. "All right. Let's trip the light fantastic, and hopefully I can avoid letting anything else slip out of my mouth." She curled her arm around JC's and started walking towards the lounge where soft strains of music could be heard. JC turned her into his arms and they started dancing.

 

She let her muscles relax and let JC pull her close to his chest. His hand pressed against the bare skin of her back, and she felt her full breasts mash against his muscles beneath the suit. She settled her head into the curve of his neck, not questioning the comfortable and relaxed feelings she was experiencing with him in this crowd full of strangers. As the next song blended into the first, she felt JC's hand slide down her back until it rested at the curve of her back, just above the red bow. Laura looked away from JC for a moment to see if all eyes were on them. He had suspected that the moment of her feeling relaxed with him in a crowd wouldn't last for very long.

 

When she looked back she found JC was still watching her face. She smiled. He took a deep breath and pressed her lower body intimately close. He saw in her eyes the instant she became aware of his arousal, pressed firmly to her soft belly. He expected her to fight and pull away, but she didn't. As he held her gaze, he saw arousal in her eyes. He felt her breath quicken and tongue darted out to nervously lick her lusciously full lower lip. And there was no mistaking the subtle move of her lower body against him in response.

 

Laura felt a roaring in her brain and had to swallow hard to keep from flinging herself at him in front of all those people. It was impossible to keep images of him rising above her and gazing longingly into her eyes as he thrust his cock into her soft, wet pussy. Suddenly, it was hard to breathe. She surprised herself even more when she gently wiggled her lower body back and forth, feeling his hard cock pressed so eagerly against her. What the hell were they both thinking?

 

JC groaned and it reverberated deep in his chest, tingling against her taut nipples. He lowered his mouth to lightly kiss the side of her neck. He whispered to her softly. "I'm surprised you're not stopping me by now."

 

Laura was too aroused to check the room for nosey eyes. She shook her head no, looking up to meet his gaze once again. "I'm surprised you haven't thrown me down and…" She stopped suddenly as she felt him pull her even closer. "...fucked me senseless by now." she whispered.

 

JC abruptly pulled back from her, and grabbing her wrist in his hand, he led them quickly through the crowd, and into a back bathroom. He locked the door. He spun her around and in the next instant she was pressed flat to the wall behind her and he was kissing her.

Chapter 27 by DesperateThoughts

Laura had no time to think. She kissed him back, sliding her arms up and around his neck. She gasped when he finally released her mouth and slid his mouth down her neck. One hand was easing her dress off the shoulder and in the next instant, his mouth closed over the exposed, hard nipple. She cried out, feeling her knees buckle beneath her. She didn't fall because JC had pressed one leg between her own. Her dress slid up and suddenly her wet pussy was pressed against his thigh.

 

Laura tried to tell her body to push him away. They were in public and could be caught at any moment, but her hands didn't listen. Her mouth pressed kisses to the side of his face and down his neck. She didn't care. Especially since she felt his other hand dragging her skirt up, caressing her flesh as he did so. His hand slid around to cup one full, round ass cheek and press her closer to him.

 

JC paused as his hand caressed her ass. He hadn't realized that she wasn't wearing any panties until that moment, and it made him crazy. He reconsidered stopping, but then Laura rubbed her crotch back and forth over his thigh. He didn't give a damn and slid his hand around to her thigh. As he slid his thigh back, his hand moved between her upper thighs. He wouldn't have thought it possible, but he almost lost his control as he felt a completely smooth pussy, wet with her arousal.

 

JC lifted his head from her breast and returned to her mouth. His tongue met hers eagerly as he slipped his fingers between her wet lips. Her legs eased further apart and he slid two fingers up inside her hot, wet pussy even as his thumb zeroed in on her clit. His mouth swallowed her cries of passion as he worked her body with precision and skill. He knew just where to touch her, when to touch her and how to touch her sensitive skin. It happened so quickly, his fingers inside her, massaging, and his thumb never releasing her clit. She started to have an orgasm the very next moment. Her body began to spasm and jerk, thrashing in his arms. He felt her pussy contracting and drenching his fingers with her juices. He lifted his head to watch her face as she lost control. He saw her swollen lips, red and free of any lipstick. He glanced down and saw her breast was jiggling from her motions. And most of all, he felt her aftermath as his hand still cupped and caressed her smooth pussy.

 

JC watched and waited until finally Laura opened her eyelids and saw him staring down at her. She blushed hotly as she realized what had just happened. Before she could react though, JC lightly rubbed his hand over her slick flesh. He withdrew his hand reluctantly, and then licked them clean. He surprised her when he lifted her dress once again, and used his tongue to clean her up.

 

She looked down and saw that he was still hard and stiff in his trousers. She didn't think as she reached out and cupped her hand over his dick. JC groaned loudly and braced both hands flat against the wall on either side of her. He told himself that he would stop in a few seconds, and then he heard his zipper being lowered. Suddenly, two small soft hands were freeing his cock from the confinement of his trousers, only to confine it once again in her grasp. She curled her hands around him, caressing, pulling and tugging. She stared at his cock filling her hands as it oozed drops of pre-cum. She wanted to caress him and please him.

 

Laura felt her knees buckle and in the next instant, she was on her knees in front of him. She heard JC groan above her, and his hands moved to her shoulders. But she resisted and lowered her head to complete her journey.

 

JC was taken completely by surprise when her mouth opened and took his cock inside. He felt her tongue caress the underside of his cock, even as her lips closed and sucked him more deeply. He had to stop her, and he moved one hand from the wall down to her head. His fingers threaded through the brown strands to pull her back. But she slid one hand down and started to fondle and cup and squeeze his balls even as her head started to move. He couldn't pull her head away, so his fingers slid free, dislodging her neatly rolled hair. He knew he couldn't last much longer. He was always so horny with her simplest and most innocent of touches, that now, with her mouth sucking his cock and her hands caressing and stroking him, it wouldn't be long.

 

JC choked back his shout of arousal and his cock jerked within her mouth. Before he could pull free, he exploded and she swallowed it. She pulled back, looking dazed. JC opened his eyes and looked down. He reached down and pulled Laura to her feet. He watched the flush stain her cheeks as she saw his eyes traveling over her. Hastily, she moved and pulled her dress back up. JC stopped her and pressed a light kiss to her nipple. He covered it once again with the stretchy black lace. He started to lower his head to kiss her mouth when a loud knock was heard at the door.

 

"We'll be out in a second!" JC yelled. Laura pinched his arm when he yelled that there was more than one person in there.

 

"Is she okay?" Jerry yelled back.

 

Laura let out a sigh of relief. JC motioned for her to flush the toilet. "Yeah, Jerry, she's just had a bit too many. I think I am going to take her home early."

 

"Oh okay. I'll call for the limo to come around." Jerry said as he looked past JC into the bathroom at Laura who was wiping her mouth. They could hear him explaining to others outside that she was sick. JC went to open the door but Laura stopped him and held his face in her hands and she kissed him gently on the lips. "You are the best."

 

She walked out of the bathroom ahead of him and grabbed her jacket and proceeded to say good-bye to everyone. JC watched her as she went on and pretended that nothing ever happened and that he was no one special to her.

Chapter 28 by DesperateThoughts

The next morning, Laura went over to JC's to dropped off some music she had been working on for the album.

 

"JC! You here?" she yelled as she entered the back door. She walked through the kitchen and noticed three bags of luggage sitting in the hallway. He came down the stairs with a piles of clothes wrapped in his arms.

 

"Going somewhere?" she asked.

 

JC looked up from counting his garments and then bent down to place them in his suitcase. "I have to fly to Vegas this morning...We're taping a tribute performance for a TV special that is going to air soon and we have to do some promotional things while we're there. I should be back in a week or so. I'm going to stay longer to try and get some writing done."

 

Laura was hurt and disappointed that JC had never told her about the trip. "Oh."

 

"I never told you. I know." he said as he continued to pack...He never looked up at her. "I'd forgotten about it until Lance called and reminded me last night after we got back from the party.

 

"Are you pissed at me about something?" she asked.

 

Still never looking up at her, JC proceeded to zip up his luggage, "No. Why would you think that?"

 

"Because you seem rather cold right now."

 

"I'm not being cold, Laura. I just need to hurry up and pack before my cab gets here." he said as he stood up to face her.

 

"Well, I guess I will say my good-byes now then." Laura walked over to JC and quickly hugged him, "Have a safe trip, JC" She turned to leave. "I won't waste anymore of you time."

 

JC ran his hands through his hair and pulled it slightly as if he were going crazy. "Why do you always do that?" he asked.

 

"Do what?"

 

"Make me feel like an asshole when I shouldn't?"

 

"JC, only you can make yourself feel that way. I just didn't want to make you late...If I wouldn't have dropped by just now, I would not have seen you at all." she said, realizing he planned it that way.

 

"I would have called you later. I didn't know you were up."

 

"I guess you were trying to leave without telling me, so you wouldn't feel obligated to bring me along."

 

JC didn't want to admit that he was trying to leave without telling her. When she walked away from him at the party the night before, he had suddenly started to feel used and worthless to her. He felt like she was so loving with him when they were alone together and then treated him almost like a stranger when they were in public. He was growing weary and needed to go and clear his head.

 

"It wasn't that at all. You're always welcome to come if you want to Laura."

 

She wanted to tell him to go fuck himself but didn't want to argue with him right before he left to get on a plane.

 

"That's okay, JC. But thank you for the offer." she struggled to smile.

 

Laura walked back up to him and gave him a long hug good-bye. JC was still hurt about the night before but found it hard to stay angry with her. He closed his eyes and tried to memorize that moment...The way she felt in his arms...The way she looked...The way she smelled...Everything. He lightly kissed her forehead. "I'll call you when I get there."

 

"Okay. Just leave me a message on my voicemail or something. I'll probably be out all day."

 

"Oh...Okay." He was puzzled that she was okay with him leaving her that way. He stood there alone again watching her through the window as she walked away.

 

Later on that afternoon Laura's phone rang. She didn't want to speak to anyone and knew JC would most likely be calling her around that time. She turned down the volume on the answering machine and went back to playing the piano.

Moments later her cell phone began to ring. She looked at the display window and noticed it was JC's phone and let it go straight to her voicemail. She was tempted to pick up but decided to wait. At about 6pm her curiosity had won the battle and she checked her messages:

 

"Laura, its me. It's almost 2pm. I was just calling to let you know that I got in OK. I'm staying at the Luxor Hotel. The number here is 702-262-4102. It's suite 4880. They'll ask for a code. Just tell them LAC and they will connect you through to me...Or call the cell and I'll call you back once its charged up. Umm...I guess that's it...(long pause)...I'm sorry about how I was acting earlier. I was just in a weird mood...And now that I am here, I am really wishing you were here with me. I know you've never been here before and I wanted to show you so many things. Well maybe next time right? You are probably out so I won't keep babbling. I will hopefully talk to you later before I go to bed...(long pause)...I love you, Laura."

 

Laura saved the message and sat back on her couch and wondered if she should call him back or not.

Chapter 29 by DesperateThoughts

JC awoke to the sound of the phone ringing. He felt around the night stand until he finally reached the phone and placed it to his hear. "hello?" he answered in a muffled tone as he moved the pillow off his head.

 

"Yo, man, we're going to hit the strip. You wanna come?" Joey asked on the other end of the line.

 

"What time is it?" he asked as he squinted to find the clock radio.

 

"Its almost 10pm. Get your ass out of bed and come with us!" he yelled trying to wake up his best friend.

 

JC had no interest in leaving his hotel room, let alone his bed. "I've been out in public most of the week either partying or schmoozing with people I don't want to be around, Joey. Plus I got a lot of shit I need to work on before tomorrow. But you all have fun. If I change my mind I'll call your cell."

 

"You're no fun, man. I would have gotten you a few lap dances on me, but suit yourself. Hit me up if you change your mind."

 

JC hung up the phone and tried to fall back to sleep until the phone rang again. He quickly picked it up. "Hello?"

 

"Ha ha ha ha ha, JC, its Chris!"

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Listen at this man. I am standing in the lobby waiting on Joey and this girl and her friends are talking to me and we're taking pictures, etc...and we all start telling jokes. Well this 12 year old had my ass rollin'. Check it out...There was an Nsync fan with a really crappy seat at a stadium. Looking with her binoculars, she spotted an empty seat where the 50-yard line would be at a football game. Thinking to herself "what a waste" she made her way down to the empty seat.

 

When she gets to the seat, she asked the girl sitting next to it, "Is this seat taken?" The girl replied, "This was my sisters seat.

 

She passed away. She was a big Nsync fan."

 

The girl replied, "I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. May I ask why you didn't give the ticket to a friend or a relative?"

 

"They're all at the funeral...JC, I almost pissed myself."

 

JC was un-amused.  "That's so funny, Chris."

 

"Man, forget it. I don't know why I waste these good jokes on you. Go back to sleep!" Chris said before hanging up.

 

JC nodded as he hung up and buried his head back under his pillow.

 

Knock, Knock, Knock

 

By this time JC was infuriated with all the interruptions to his rest. He jumped out of bed and threw the pillow across the room as he walked down the hallway.

 

"What?!" he asked as he rapidly opened the door. He found himself in a state of shock when he looked at the woman standing in front of him.  "And they say there's no heaven on earth..." JC smiled as he opened the door for her to enter.

 

"I thought I would surprise you and see what Vegas had to offer me. So far, I'm amazed that everything I ever wanted is in this room." Laura smiled as she set her bag down on the floor and turned around to hug him.

 

"I see you have already made yourself at home." she laughed pointing out all the sheet music that was piled up on the other side of the bed,

 

"Yeah I know." he chuckled.

 

JC and Laura sat down and talked for a few minutes about her trip and JC decided to run to the lobby and get some information of places to take her. As Laura was relaxing, she decided to go through some of the music JC had been working on. One piece in particular caught her eye. The deep smile on her face soon began to fade as she continued to read the lyrics.

 

Love me when nobody else can see

Touch my soul

Then you treat me

Like I am a stranger

This is not the way I want to feel

Should have known

A love this strong

Would bring some danger

But if it's all in my head

I'll find a way to make it end

It's magic

And it's tragic

Slingshots

Whisper

My tear drops

An answer

What am I to you?

 

Tears continued to fall down Laura's face as she finished reading. She knew the song was about her and knew exactly what she had to do next.

Chapter 30 by DesperateThoughts

Laura rushed to the elevators and impatiently waited for it to reach the lobby. As she stepped out she looked around to find JC.

 

She finally spotted him at the front desk. Laura's stomach was full of knots as she slowly walked towards him.  She looked around and surveyed the area.  She felt like all were on her, even though no one seemed to notice her at all. JC was leaning on the counter talking to a group of girls who had camped out downstairs hoping to get pictures taken with their idols.

 

As Laura neared the front desk JC spotted her out of the corner of his eye as he continued to speak to the 5 girls who were standing there hanging on his every word. His smile grew a little wider as she came walking towards them, but then Laura walked right past him and the girls over to the information desk, never turning her eyes to look at him once. His smile soon faded and he went back to speaking to the girls. Laura pretended as if she were looking for entertainment brochures as she turned around every 3 seconds trying to give herself the courage to do what she had been planning to do every since she bolted out of the hotel room to find him.

 

"Just walk your ass over there, Laura." she whispered to herself, before almost jumping out of her skin in fright.

 

"Hey mamma!" a voice yelled out from behind as two fingers poked her in her side.

 

"Oh my god, Joey, you scared the shit out of me."

 

"Why are you so jumpy?"

 

"Huh? Oh no reason." she quickly stated.

 

"Did you get them yet, Joe?" Lance called out as he walked up to them.

 

"Getting them now. I was saying hi to Laura."

 

"Hey, Laura. How did you get here? I thought you were back home. JC didn't mention you coming with us when we got on the plane earlier this morning."

 

"It was a last minute thing..." she answered as she looked over at JC. Joey and Lance followed her gaze.

 

"Come on, let's go ask JC about the show before we go back out." Lance said as he patted Joey on his back.

 

"I'm coming. Talk to you later, Laura."

 

"Bye guys. Have fun." she called after them.

 

As they walked over to talk to JC the group of girls became more excited at their luck in seeing three out of the 5 men they had been searching for.

 

Laura stood there and continued to watch JC and smiled to herself as she remembered times past. All the times when they were together. Remembering mornings when she would open her eyes and find him staring at her smiling, breakfast in bed, arms wrapped tightly around her, his lips, his eyes, and the way all his emotions exuded show through a simple laugh or glance. Remembering days when she would be cold towards him trying to touch her because other people were around, days when she would act as if he weren't in the room when she were speaking to reporters or walking through a crowded lobby like she had just done earlier. Tears began to fill Laura's eyes again as she realized how hurt JC must have been every time she acted as if he weren't the most important person in her life.

 

Laura placed the brochures back down on the counter and walked over to JC. The girls, Lance, and Joey were still huddled in a group as they talked. Laura inched her way through the small opening.

 

"Excuse me for a moment, everyone." She walked up to JC who was in mid sentence, placing her hands on both sides of his face, pulling him down towards her to kiss him deeply.

 

JC was caught off guard, and could feel her tears touching his face, but as soon as her lips touched his, he couldn't help but grab her face in his hands and kiss her deeper. Everyone in the group dropped their jaws as they watched what was going on right in front of their very eyes. The 5 girls were dumbfounded trying to figure out who this woman could be. Joey and Lance also stood there stunned. Joey finally picked his jaw off the ground and smiled as he nudged Lance with his elbow and whispered, "I guess I can't make anymore cracks about him needing some lovin'."

 

Lance punched him in the arm as he grabbed Joey to leave. Laura and JC slowly stopped kissing. She smiled up at him and chuckled at the shocked look that was on his face. He looked around and noticed the 5 girls still standing there staring at them in silence and pure dismay. "Excuse us ladies. It was very nice talking to you." he said as he grabbed Laura's hand and headed for the elevators.

 

Laura stepped into the elevator first and stood against the far right wall. JC stepped in and stood on the far left side and the button for their floor. He crossed his arms over his chest and waited for the doors to close. The group of girls stood there still staring at them. JC waved to them as the doors began to shut. Once they were closed JC let out a long sigh. "Oh my God! What has gotten into you?" he quickly asked as he walked over to Laura and placed his hands on the sides of her waist. "You always keep me guessing." He placed his forehead on hers and looked deep into her eyes.

 

They were both silent. Laura's heart was beating so fast that she could barely hear the elevator music playing in the background.  JC's slowly leaned down and kissed her lightly on lips. There was still something that was bothering him and he needed to clear up the matter right then and there. Every other time he wanted to bring it up, he would just tell himself that they would discuss it later and he would ignore the matter. But right now it was more important than her courageous actions downstairs in the lobby.

 

He took her hands and brought them up to his chest and he held them over his heart and began to speak, "Laura. I need to ask you something very important."

 

"What is it JC?"

 

Just as JC was about to ask her the biggest question of his life the doors opened and a group of college boys stumbled onto the elevator laughing and talking loudly amongst themselves. Laura looked at JC to see what he was going to ask her but he put his finger up and motioned that they wait till they got off the elevator. Laura was nervous the entire ride. She didn't know what JC was going to ask her and was scared it would be something that would change both their lives forever.

Chapter 31 by DesperateThoughts

As they got off the elevator and headed towards their room, Laura's heart began to beat faster and faster with each step. She knew that once they were inside the room, there would be no interruptions from his question.  As JC opened the door he took the sign that was hanging on the handle and placed it on the outside door knob so that they would not be disturbed. He then walked over to the phone and told the front desk to not allow any calls for the rest of the evening.

 

He slowly walked over to Laura who was standing in the middle of the room and he took both her hands and entwined them with his own.  "Please sit down." he said.

 

Laura sat down on the couch and watched JC's every move as he sat down on the edge of the coffee table in front of her. "Why are your hands shaking?"

 

"Umm...they're not." she said and she grabbed a throw pillow and held it in her hands to stop them from trembling.

 

JC smiled at the fact that Laura was so nervous. "I shouldn't even have to ask you this, but it seems that now I have no choice. I've been waiting for the answer to this question for a very long time now and I think that if I do not ask you now, I will never get an answer."

 

"What do you need to know, JC?" Laura asked as she looked down. She was ready to confess to whatever it was he was going to inquire about.

 

JC pushed her chin up lightly to meet his gaze. "Do you love me?"

 

"Of course I do!"

 

"Then why don't you ever say it?" he asked.

 

"I do say it..." she replied as she tried to remember back.

 

"No you haven't. I have been waiting to hear those words for the longest time now and still have yet to hear them from your beautiful lips."

 

She soon realized that he was right. She couldn't remember a time when she had ever told JC she loved him. He would say it to her all the time, but there was never a time when she uttered the same words back to him.

 

"I'm so sorry, JC." Laura said as she stood up and walked towards the window. "I've had a hard time lately saying things that are important to those I care about."

 

JC hung his head down before looking up at her. "You don't have to say it if you don't mean it, Laura. And if you don't I really wish you would tell me now."

 

Laura rolled her eyes at him. "You know I do, JC."

 

"Then tell me, Laura. I feel as though you do, but I need that reassurance. Hearing it and merely assuming it are two completely different things."

 

Tears began to roll down her cheeks as she listened to JC. The words were there, but they just didn't seem to want to come out. She mouthed the words as she began to cry harder. JC leaned down to be at eye level with her and held her face in his hands. "I see you saying it, but I can't hear you…Please tell me. I need to hear it, Laura…Please." He begged as he gently kissed her right cheek and then her left.

 

"They're just 3 words that I haven't been able to say in a very long time, JC.  If you knew my life before this you would understand, but I just don't even want to think about it myself."  Laura could see her reflection in the window.  Tears were flowing down her cheeks as she tried to gain the courage to tell him how she really felt.  She could see his reflection behind her, gently kissing her shoulder as he held onto her.  "I…I love you JC." She cried as she turned and wrapped her arms around his neck. Afraid to let go, she tightened her grip. She could feel JC's arms around her back and soon felt her feet leave the floor as he spun her around quickly.

 

"Wooooo." He yelled aloud and he let out a deep sigh.

 

He placed her back down onto the ground as he kissed her forehead and then the tip of her nose as he worked his way down to her lips. They both began to kiss very passionately as if they needed one another's lips to survive. "God, I love you." He said in between kisses.

 

Laura felt like a big weight had been lifted from her shoulders and that for that one moment everything in her life was simply perfect.

 

"Damn...I want to make love to you so bad." he kissed down her neck. "But I am so pumped up right now! Let's go out somewhere." he begged.

 

"We can't do both?" Laura chuckled.

 

JC grinned. "Of course...But if I don't get out of this room and let some of this energy go, I'm afraid I may wear you out."

 

"Mmmmm....Sounds very interesting."

 

"Don't worry baby. As soon as we get back, you can trust that all I am going to want to do is make love to you all night." he smiled as he kissed her deeply.

 

They were both so happy and relieved that they agreed to go out and see what Vegas had to offer. JC took her on a tour of the night life in Vegas. They bumped into Joey at one of the casinos and gambled a bit before leaving to go club hopping. The drinks seemed to be flowing non-stop that evening as both JC and Laura lived on the wild side. Even if it was just for that night.

Chapter 32 by DesperateThoughts

Sunlight streamed through the opening in the curtains. Laura slowly opened her eyes and placed her hand on her head in pain. It felt like her brain was about to split wide open. She could hardly remember a thing from the night before. She went to turn over and could feel that she was naked beneath the white sheets. She turned and could see JC's naked body lying next to her. She smiled and soon glanced over at the clock and realized it was almost noon. JC had to be at rehearsals at around 7 pm that night and Laura decided not to wake him up and to let him get as much rest as he could.

 

She took a quick shower before slowly getting changed into her work out gear. Her head was pounding and her body was aching. She wrote down a little note for JC and put it by the phone as she lightly kissed his forehead.

 

~~~~

 

Laura stood at the front desk patiently waiting on the receptionist to see if there was an open slot for a body massage session in the Oasis Spa. "Yes, Miss. There is an opening. I can reserve it for you now with a credit card. Laura felt down to her stretch pants and realized she forgot her card upstairs.

 

"My apologies. I'm so hung over right now that I left it upstairs in my room."

 

"I can bill it to your room if you like."

 

"Could you please? That would be great. It's room 4880." she said as she handed to woman her key card to swipe in the machine for verification.

 

The clerk smiled as she swiped it through the computer. Her smile soon faded as she started to speak, "Ummm..Are you sure this is your room?"

 

Laura had been looking around at people who were walking through the hotel and hadn't been paying attention. "Oh...Well its my friends room. I'm staying with him while he is here."

 

"Who is your friend?" the woman asked discourteously.

 

Laura looked over at her with a puzzled look. "Well what does it tell you there in your computer?" Her head started to pound even more as she started to get pissed off at the girl behind the counter.

 

"Well I already know who the room belongs to. Why don't you tell me so that we are both clear on who you are staying with." she snapped back as she held the car key in her hand before placing it in a nearby drawer.

 

"What exactly are you trying to say..." Laura looked down at her name tag before speaking, "…Kelly."

 

The woman went to speak but noticed someone walking towards them. Laura didn't turn around to see where her attentions was directed. She stood there with her mouth open waiting for the girl to speak. "hellooo??"

 

Two hands went over Laura's eyes and two lips came close to her ear and said "Guess who."

 

Laura recognized the voice immediately and nonchalantly answered "Hey Chris."

 

The clerk stood there dumbfounded and Laura as Chris exchanged hello's.

 

"What's up?"

 

"Well, Kelly here is giving me a hard time about billing a massage session to JC's room." she pointed out.

 

The clerk quickly pressed a few keys and printed out a voucher and placed it on the counter. "Oh no, I was just processing your request through Ma'am."

 

Chris looked puzzled. "One of those again, huh?" he asked Laura.

 

Laura chuckled and nodded her head. The clerk was curious as to what they meant but was unable to ask. Laura and Chris went to walk away before Laura ran back over to the desk. "My key, please." she said as she put out her hand and patiently waited. The receptionist slowly went in the drawer and took out the key and handed it back to her with a disappointed look on her face. "Have a good day, Kelly." Laura said as she went to walk away.

 

Kelly frowned as she responded, "You also, Miss."

 

Chris talked Laura out of reporting the woman to management. She was too hung over to keep pondering over it and told Chris she would see him later as she headed towards the Oasis Spa for her massage and body wrap session.

 

She soon felt 50 times better than she had earlier in the day as therapist gave her their top rated River Stone Massage. It was a combination of a muscle massage that applies light to medium pressure while the entire body is oiled and massaged with warm stones. She then went on to get the Volcanic Salt and Honey Body Wrap. It is an exotic exfoliating mixture of red volcanic salt and pure honey is lightly massaged onto the body followed by a relaxing herbal wrap. She and another woman were getting there's done at the same time. The woman kept looking over at her as if she recognized her from somewhere. She seemed to be in her mid 40's. She looked rather stunning for her age. Her body was toned nicely and she seemed to have a great deal of money to throw around. The two women talked amongst themselves as they were lying there relaxing.

 

"Now I remember when I know you from!" the woman exclaimed.

 

Laura figured she had seen her on television one night at an awards show and smiled.

 

"I never got a chance to tell you congratulations."

 

"Thanks." Laura said as she closed her eyes.

 

After her spa session was over, Laura felt amazingly good. She quickly got dressed to go upstairs and mention the spa to JC so he could feel as good as she did after their wild night.

 

She walked passed the front desk and remembered that JC had canceled all calls for the night before. She walked over to see if there were any messages. The concierge came back over with a few pieces of paper with names and numbers written down and told her there was something else. As he went into the back, Laura stood there going through all JC's messages. The older woman she had talked to at the spa had also come over to pick up messages as well. The concierge came back out front with a flat manila envelope and a small padded envelope that he made her sign for.

 

"You and the gentleman looked so very much in love last night. It's the same way me and my Charlie felt about each other when we first got married 20 years ago...And we still feel that way. It's an amazing feeling that we experience once in a lifetime."

 

Laura was curious as to where the woman had seen her the night before, but brushed it off because she and JC had been all over town the night before. She smiled at her and congratulated her on 20 years and wished her 20 more wonderful years before heading off back to her room.

 

"I thought that you would still be in bed." Laura said as she entered the room and saw JC had ordered them a large breakfast.

"Pancakes, eggs, bacon, waffles? What's the big occasion?" she laughed.

 

"I'm hungry as hell and my eyes were bigger than my stomach when I was ordering." he smiled as he kissed her on her forehead.

 

"You had a few messages last night and this morning." she said as she handed him the papers. "You also got some package and what looks like a document in this one."

 

JC was busy trying to find the channel he wanted on TV and asked her to open the package for him and to see what was inside. As she opened it, a small envelope fell out and Laura placed the package on the table as she went to pick it up. She opened it and read the note out loud to JC:

 

Dear Mr. Chasez,

We greatly appreciated your business at our store last night and have sent over your order as per your specific request. We got them done within 3 hours instead of the 4 that we had quoted you. Please let us know that the merchandise is to your liking. We thank you very much in advance for your purchase. We hope that Mrs. Chasez will be pleased with it also. We wish you endless years of happiness and joy.

 

Sincerely,

Tiffany & Co.

BELLAGIO

 

JC pressed the off button on the TV as he turned around to face Laura. She stood there and read the letter again to make sure it was correct.

 

"What are they talking about?" JC asked as he stood up to get the padded envelope. He took out two small white velvet boxes with the Tiffany insignia on them. He slowly opened them up to find an engagement ring and wedding band in one box and a larger wedding band in the second box.

 

Laura sat at the table stunned. "Is this some type of joke?" she asked JC.

Chapter 33 by DesperateThoughts

"If it is, I wish someone would let me in on it." he said as he frantically tried to remember what happened the night before. He looked at the receipt and sat down at the table in shock. "$556,800.00!  And that's definitely my signature on the receipt." he stated as he handed her the paper.

 

Laura was still in a state of disbelief. 'How could I not remember that?' she thought to herself. JC opened the flat manila envelope to check his mail. He began to mumble to himself and Laura looked towards him to see what he was talking about. He didn't say a word as he handed her the document.

 

Laura couldn't help but laugh. "Certificate of marriage? Hillpoint Wedding Chapel? How clichéd is this, JC?"

 

"What's so funny?" he asked with a confused look in his face.

 

"The one night that I decide to let myself go and be completely free, I wake up the next morning completely hung-over, naked, and married!" she laughed. "The woman downstairs was talking to me and congratulating me and I just assumed she was talking about my music, not my marriage."

 

JC smiled and attempted to laugh with her.

 

"What's the matter?"

 

JC placed the marriage certificate back on the table and looked up at her. "You think being married to me is that much of a joke?"

 

"Of course not, JC!" she exclaimed as she walked over to him. Laura slowly sat down in his knee and wrapped her arms around his neck, "I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons here."

 

JC removed her hands and went to stand up. Laura caught her balance to keep from falling to the floor. "Okay that came out completely wrong." She said as she followed him over to the couch.

 

"Do you remember anything that happened last night?" he asked as he grabbed the two jewelry boxes off the table and held them in his hand.

 

Laura sat back and looked up at the ceiling trying to recollect what they did the night before. "I remember us going out and bumping into to Joey. We hit a few clubs, and after that I remember you saying something about walking home instead of catching a cab."

 

"Right." He agreed. "I remember walking by a wedding chapel in just about every corner we hit and we started to make jokes about it…." JC sat back on the couch and looked towards the ceiling.

 

"How can a person not remember their own wedding, JC?" She asked disappointedly.

 

"I don't know, Hun. We did have a lot to drink last night."

 

"Yeah, but you would think that it would be the most important time of your life. What type of people forget something like vowing their lives to one another?"

 

"It's not like we can't have it annulled." He said as he closed the ring box and placed them back on the table.

Laura brought her gaze from the ceiling back down to JC who was staring at the boxes on the table. "Do you want to have it annulled?"

 

JC turned his head to look at her. "Do you?"

 

"Don't answer my question with a question, JC. Do you or not?"

 

There was a long moment of silence before he answered her question. "No…I know that you are the only person I want to be with for the rest of my life." he stated as he turned to face her. "I can't picture finding anyone else on this earth that knows me better than you do..." JC lightly rubbed the back of his hand across her cheek as he looked deep into her eyes. "...Who can touch me the way you do. Someone who can make my heart beat a million times a second just with a smile. But if you don't want to, I can understand."

 

"You are not scared about what other people will say when they find out?"

 

JC knew that was coming. "What the fuck do I care about anyone else, Laura!?" he yelled as he stood up and raked his hands through his hair before turning around and facing her. "You're it for me. You're the only one I am worried about when it comes to that."

Laura desperately wanted to believe him. She stood up and walked over to him. "Are you sure, JC? Are you absolutely sure this is what you want?"

 

"Yes. And if it's not what you want, then we can go and get it annulled today if possible." He answered as he sat down at the table and began to grab a spoonful of eggs to put on his plate.

 

Laura stood there for a moment and watched him as he continued to pile on the food and started to eat. She looked down at the rings and back over at JC, who never looked up at her. She walked over to the coffee table and grabbed the two boxes and slowly walked back towards the dining table. JC continued to eat as she stood there. She sat down next to him and grabbed his hand and took it in hers. She took the larger band and was about to place it on his finger when she noticed the insignia on the inside. She looked up at him as she slowly slid it onto his finger and said, "Today I marry my friend."

 

He leaned in and kissed her gently on the lips. He opened the second box and took out the two rings and read the insignia inside of her band aloud. "Our song is never-ending." JC slowly slid the band on her finger and then the engagement ring and entwined her hand with his. Neither of them spoke as they stared into each other's eyes. All that could be heard with the clattering of their rings pressed together.

Chapter 34 by DesperateThoughts

"Heck of a performance man!" a voice rang out through the terminal.

 

JC smiled and waved at the man as he, Chris and Joey rode by on an airport security cart.

 

"So...JC..." Joey grinned like a Cheshire before speaking. "You know I was going to eventually ask right?"

 

JC let out a deep sigh.

 

"Ask What?" Chris questioned.

 

"About how he and Laura were playing tonsil hockey in the lobby the other night." Joey blurted out with a smile.

 

Chris' mouth dropped open, "They did!?"

 

"In front of a bunch of fans too. Laura walked up out of no where and just started attacking JC." he exaggerated.

 

JC rolled his eyes and Chris went on asking more questions. "Why wasn't I informed of this juicy gossip earlier?"

 

"Probably because it was non or your business." JC replied.

 

"When did this fling between the two of you start?"

 

"We've been seeing each other for a little while now, so I wouldn't call it a fling," he defended. "We're trying to see where it goes before everyone on earth finds out about it."

 

"What do you think Rachel will say?"

 

JC looked away as they continued to ride through the lobby. "I don't know." He had no idea how he was going to tell them he was married...He was mostly concerned about telling Rachel and as they rode down the tarmac he could not figure out why.

 

~~~~~

 

"Why you being so quiet?" Justin asked as he leaned forward and slapped Laura's knees. She had been sitting near the gate watching the planes taxi in and out of the terminal and got lost in her own daydreams.

 

"Oh..no reason. Just have a bit on my mind."

 

"You always do."

 

"Yeah and lately she has a bit in her mouth too." Lance joked as he winked at Laura.

 

Justin was confused and looked to him for answers. Lance quickly threw his hands up, "Don't ask me. I was only a mere bystander to the events of the other day."

 

"What happened the other day?" Justin asked.

 

Laura looked at Lance and nodded her head no.

 

"I'm afraid to say!" he joked.

 

Laura knew it would get out eventually and speedily said, "I went and kissed JC in the lobby the other day."

"So? What's the big deal?"

 

"This wasn't just a 'hello, good buddy, how are you' kiss. This was one of those 'lets go upstairs and cover a Marvin Gaye classic' type of kiss." Lance interrupted.

 

Laura chucked her orange at him.

 

"Seriously?" he asked as he whipped his head around to look at her.

 

"Lance is somewhat correct in his version. I don't think the kiss was as outrageous as he described though."

 

Justin felt slightly hurt.  "I guess I was definitely barking up the wrong tree then, huh?"

 

"I wasn't dating him when you took me out. Laura said as she put her hand on his thigh. "Please don't be upset with me."

 

"I'm not." he said nonchalantly. "I knew that there was something more there. Both of you did a helluva job talking your way out of situations." he lightly punched her in the arm.

 

The cart soon turned the corner and Laura could see JC, Joey and Chris coming towards them.  Justin glanced at his best friend and then back over at Laura who was smiling at JC.  As they sat waiting for their plane, Laura and JC whispered back and forth to one another as the rest of the guys attention was focused on the television screen.  "Should we tell them now?"

 

"Not yet." he said.

 

"Maybe we should have just worn our rings and let them figure it out on their own?"

 

"And then if someone from the press were to have been here with a camera the entire world would have figured it out too, hun."

 

"I was kidding JC...Damn...You're getting worse than me." she joked.

 

"Whatever you say. I'm just worried that they are going to find out from someone else and not us."

 

JC was about to comment but his cell phone interrupted them. "Hello?"

 

Laura could see JC's face scrunch up. "Oh, hey mom." Laura's eyes widened. "Well Laura is actually here with us, so that's why she probably wasn't there when you called her. She flew in and surprised everyone....Huh? Yeah mom, we're actually at the airport right now waiting to board the plane." JC squeezed her hand to help calm her fears. He stood up and paced the area as he continued to talk to his mother.

 

Laura put her feet up on the chair and cradled them as she watched and listened to JC. "...Well how about I stop by and see them on my way home? I need to come and talk to you about something anyway." he said, looking down at Laura. "Yeah, I'm okay. I just need to tell you something...No mom...I'm great...I'll tell you later when I see you okay? I love you too."

 

He plopped down in the chair and let his body slide halfway out as he blew out a sound of frustration. Laura grabbed his arm and pulled him up as she slid her arm under his and brought him closer to her. "Your mother is going to kill us!" she whispered.

 

"Me? No...Maybe you...For corrupting her baby boy." He joked. Laura pinched him in his side.

 

"When are you going to tell your mom?" he asked her. Her smile soon faded. "Soon…Why?"

 

"I want to clear my schedule so I can come with you. I never met your family yet. I've only spoken to your mom a couple times on the phone."

 

"There's a reason for that. She is rude." she replied.

 

"I honestly doubt that, Laura."

 

Laura wanted to tell him how wrong he was, but decided to leave that subject for another day. As they sat on the plane, JC kept bothering Laura about setting a date to tell her family so he could take the time off. After his endless rants, she finally grabbed the telephone at her side and pulled out a calling card.

 

"You calling her now?"

 

"Yeah. This way you will stop bitchin'!" she said angrily.

 

JC pushed the side of her head lightly before picking up a magazine. She sat nervously as she listened to the rings. The answering machine picked up and she waited for the beep. "Hello? Mom? It's me...Laura. I just wanted to see when you would be home so I could stop by sometime this month. Please call me when you get this and let me know when you will be home so I can book a flight. Talk to you soon." Laura slowly hung up the phone and leaned back in her seat.

 

JC glanced over from his reading and could see Laura staring off into space.  "You okay, hun?"

 

"Yeah...I'm fine." she answered as she turned her body towards the window and pulled the blanket up to go to sleep. JC sat there and watched her wondering what thoughts could be running through her mind. He decided to let her rest instead of interrogating her. He lightly rubbed her back and went back to reading his magazine.

Chapter 35 by DesperateThoughts

"Don't you think you should tell her first before we walk in the door with our wedding rings on JC?" Laura asked as they stood outside of his parents' house. JC rang the bell and dug into his pocket for his ring.

 

"No...I don't want her to think that I was trying to keep this from her if I pull them out later on." He quickly slid his ring onto his finger.

 

Suddenly a door opened and they both looked up and plastered smiles onto their faces. "Ahhh!!! Josh!!" A woman yelled as she grabbed JC and pulled him into the house.

 

The red headed, heavy set woman wrapped her arms around him and hugged JC tightly as she screamed out to everyone in the house that he was finally there. "Hey, Sophia." he said as he kissed her cheek. The woman looked outside the door and noticed Laura standing there. Laura was terrified at the older woman's behavior and also of all the people that were in the house. JC had explained to her earlier that his family was over for a reunion barbecue, but she didn't expect to see his entire family tree in the house.

 

"You must be the darling Rachel that we have heard so much about from aunt Karen!"

 

JC turned around and could see Laura was more uncomfortable than she had been before. "No, Sophia. This is Laura. Laura this is my cousin, Sophia."

 

"Ooohh...I'm sorry. I just assumed you were Rachel." She said as she covered her mouth.

 

"No, me and Rachel are no longer together." he explained.

 

"I have heard so much about you too, hunny. Don't just stand out there...Come on in!" The woman yelled as she grabbed Laura's hand and pulled her inside.

 

Laura walked around and mingled with other family members. Most of his distant relatives mistook her for Rachel while others would ask her why Rachel was not there this year for the party. She was growing tired of explaining who she was to everyone...People who were now her new family and didn't know it yet. Laura wanted to crawl into a hole until the barbecue was over.

 

Besides the uncomfortable moments when Rachel was brought up in conversation, Laura had a pretty good time. She was actually starting to feel more apart of the family when JC's mom would bring her around and introduce her to people and brag about Laura's song writing career and all the celebrities that she had worked with and of course their new deal with Jerry. There were also those too frequent moments when people would ask if Laura and JC were together and his mother would explain that they were only friends and that she was also best friends with his ex-love, Rachel. She knew JC's mother wasn't purposely explaining her away as if she were no one special, but Laura couldn't help but feel sad inside. She pulled her long sleeves over her hands and pretended as if she were cold to keep people from noticing the rings on her finger.

 

Laura helped JC's mom and his sister, Heather, in the kitchen as family members began to slowly head to their homes and hotels. JC had been trying to talk to his mother all night, but she was too busy entertaining to give him a moment of her time. She told him to wait till everyone left so they could talk about what was on his mind.

 

Once everyone had gone, they all retreated to the family room to have tea and relax. Laura, JC, his father, mother, sister, brother, aunt and her husband sat around talking amongst themselves. They had turned on the television and noticed that Rachel was acting on a new show that was coming out. She was again brought up in conversation. Both JC and Laura were noticeably upset as they all continued to speak. JC tried interrupting but his mother kept on talking over him.

 

"Yes, Laura had went to visit her when she was guest staring on General Hospital as an old friend of Carly's. Who did you say Rachel got to do a scene with?"

 

"Anthony Geary...The guy that plays Luke on the show."

 

"Luke!? Luke of Luke and Laura, Luke?"

 

"Yes...That's the one." JC said as he looked over at Laura and leaned his body into hers to try and cheer her up. "Hey mom, can I talk to you for a minute?"

 

"In a second, Dear." she said as she went back to talking.

 

"Its kinda urgent."

 

"Just let me tell your cousin about that time Rachel took me onto the set of that Robert DeNiro movie that just came out.

 

"It's really important, mom."

 

His mother was now frustrated with all the interruptions. "What, JC! What is so damn important that it can't wait?"

 

JC was infuriated with her attitude. Laura closed her eyes and braced herself for what he was about to do next.  He grabbed Laura's hand and raised it up with his own to show off the rings. "This is what was so damn important!!" he yelled. The room suddenly grew silent as everyone starred up in shock at the wedding rings on their fingers.

Chapter 36 by DesperateThoughts

The silence was broken by the ringing of the door bell. JC's mother stood up. "Wow! This is a…a big surprise to say the least. I need to get the door." She said as she went to leave.

 

Heather jumped up and said she would answer it.  Laura pushed JC to go and talk to his mother.

 

"Congratulations, Laura." Sophia said as she leaned down to give her a hug.

 

"Thanks. It was very unexpected." She nervously laughed.

 

After the initial shock was over everyone went back to talking and asking questions about the two of them and how the whole marriage thing came about. Before they had gone to the barbecue, JC and Laura had decided to change the truth to appease everyone as opposed to telling them they got drunk and don't remember getting married, let alone saying vows.

 

"Mom…Will you please talk to me?" JC said as he followed her into the kitchen.

 

"What is there to say? My son is married. Congratulations." Karen continued to cut pieces of cake and place them on saucers.

 

"I know this isn't what you wanted for me. I know you would have rather it be someone else wearing that ring.  I know of your dream for a big ceremony in the church and all of our family and friends in attendance, and I'm sorry, Mom. I still want that. I just followed my heart this past week."

 

JC's mother stopped in mid-slice. "I just wish you would have told me, JC! I didn't know about a relationship let alone a sudden marriage!" She whispered loudly, never turning around to look at him as she continued to slice the cake.

 

JC walked towards his mom and rested his chin on her shoulder. "I love you, Ma. And I am sorry that we kept this from you, but it was better for everyone around us if no one knew. And I promise that you will have the ceremony that you always wanted. I just wish you would have faith in me and realize that I would be the best judge of who I want to be with for the rest of my life."

 

JC's mother turned around quickly with her mouth wide open. "JC, I have tremendous faith in you." She placed her palm on the side of her son's face. "I guess I just feel like you didn't trust me enough to tell me what was going on in your heart. And to a mother…It hurts…And not being able to be there when you took this step hurts even more."

 

JC was about to speak, until his father interrupted them. "Everyone is getting a little antsy waiting on the cake, dear."

 

"I'll be right there. Can you send Laura in to help me please."

 

JC's father returned to the family room and told Laura she was wanted in the other room. She slowly stood up and walked towards the kitchen. Heather crossed her fingers and smiled at her as she pushed the doors open.  "Mr. Chasez said you wanted to see me?"

 

"Yes Laura, please come here." Karen placed the plates on a tray, never turning around to look at her. Laura's heart was beating a mile a minute as she inched her way towards Mrs. Chasez. JC's mom finally turned around and leaned back on the counter. "Well? Let me see it." She said as she looked down towards Laura's hand.

 

Laura lifted up her hand to show her the rings. JC's mom pulled her hand closer to her so she could get a better look at the diamond on her finger. His mother's eyes widened at the sight of the sparkling jewel on her hand. "Well, my son has excellent taste." She said. Laura didn't know if she meant the ring or if his mother was personally referring to her, until she held out her arms to her. Tears began to fill Laura's eyes as she hugged her mother-in-law. Mrs. Chasez ran her hand over Laura's hair. "Let's not mess up that pretty face, before we go back out into the room, sweetie."

 

Laura lightly laughed through her tears as she wiped her face. JC kissed her forehead and wrapped his arm around her shoulder to make her feel better before they returned to the other room with the platter of cakes.

Chapter 37 by DesperateThoughts

"No, they actually took it pretty well. Justin seemed a bit distant afterwards, but I'm hoping it will pass. It's only been about a week since all this happened." Laura said as she talked to her friend on the phone.

 

"What the hell is that noise?" Hallie asked.

 

Laura continued to fill up the ice bucket and open bags of chips. "Oh, I'm just trying to get the guys something to munch on until the pizza and wings get here. They're all watching the game."

 

"So am I the first non-new relative that you have told so far?" she asked.

 

"Yeah...I honestly didn't want to tell you like this over the phone, but I am not going to be in California anytime soon and I wanted you to know before you found out from someone else, Hallie."

 

"It' OK. I completely understand. So what did Rachel say when she found out?"

 

Laura stopped what she was doing and stood in silence.

 

"Judging by your silence, its safe to assume you haven't told her yet, huh?"

 

"Not yet. But I'm going to have to before the end of the week...I'm just...scared."

 

"Why? Losing her friendship is not something that you should be losing sleep over, Laura. After everything that she has done?!"

 

"Look Hallie. She has been my friend since I was a baby. And although she doesn't seem to have her priorities straight, she is still my friend."

 

"I'm sorry. I was just saying that she has put you through a lot. Probably more than you have told me. If she were the great friend she claims to be, she wouldn't have put you in a lot of situations that you have been through in the past."

"I know. And I am glad that you got my back, but no matter what anyone else says, she has been like a sister to me."

 

"Okay. I know Rachel is a sore subject so I will move on with the conversation. What does the ring look like?"

 

Laura laughed as she looked down at the large rock on her hand. "Its amazing!"

 

"How much did he spend on it."

 

"Hallie, please. I think it was half a mil.  He only let me glance at the receipt before snatching it back out of my hand."

 

There was complete silence on the other end of the line. Laura went to ask her friend is she was still there, but was soon jolted by a loud scream coming from the receiver. She held the phone away from her ear. JC walked into the kitchen and saw her looking at the phone awkwardly. She smiled at him and mouthed that it was Hallie.

 

"Hey Hallie." JC yelled towards the phone.

 

"Tell him I said hi and congrats." Hallie said.

 

Laura continued to talk to Hallie as JC grabbed the ice and chips to take into the other room. When he returned to get the sodas, he could hear Laura whispering into the phone. "Oh, trust me, girl...He knows how to use it very well."

 

A grin appeared on his face. JC crept up behind her and placed his arms around her waist and he kissed the side of her neck. Hallie could hear giggles and a lot of activity on the other end of the line. "Should I let you go? You sound way too preoccupied over there if you ask me."

 

Laura laughed into the phone. "JC! Please..." she begged as she tried to break free from his grip. "No, I'm still here, Hallie. JC was just leaving to get back to his friends. So what was I saying before?"

 

He smiled as Laura threw the dish towel at him before pushing him out of the kitchen. "Oh, shit...Hold on Hallie. There's a call on the other line." she interrupted as she clicked over.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Umm, Laura?"

 

She immediately recognized the voice on the other end. "Oh...Hey Rach, what's up?"

 

"I was looking for JC. Is he around?"

 

Laura looked towards the living room and noticed JC and the others yelling at the television.

 

"Yeah he's here. He and the guys are watching the game."

 

"Oh. Well I better call back then. I know how he gets when he is wrapped up in a game."

 

"Is it important? I can go get him for you."

 

"No...well..not really."

 

"You sure?"

 

"Yeah...It can wait. How are you? I haven't talked to you in quite a bit."

 

"I'm splendid." Laura smiled as she looked down at her hand.

 

"Wow...Splendid? You must have finally found a man." Rachel joked.

 

Laura came back down to reality. "Hey, umm...Are you going to be in the area in the next couple days?"

 

"I might be. Why?"

 

"I actually wanted to see you and talk to you about something, Rach."

 

"Is it important? I can come now if you need me."

 

"No...It's not life threatening. I just wanted to tell you about something."

 

"Oh...Okay. Well I think I will be in your area tomorrow or Tuesday."

 

"Good. I have Hallie on the other line so I need to click back over, but I'll tell JC you called and have him call you back or whatnot."

 

"Okay...Thanks. Tell your friend I said hello."

 

"When will you two get along?" Laura asked coyly.

 

"Never." Rachel laughed. Laura smiled as she said goodbye and clicked back over to finish talking to Hallie. She knew that once Rachel found out, life wouldn't be filled with bliss much longer.

Chapter 38 by DesperateThoughts

Later on that evening after everyone had left, JC's mom stopped by to drop off some bridal magazines for Laura to look at. Laura wanted to please Mrs. Chasez and promised her mother-in-law the wedding that she'd always wanted.

 

"Nope. She is sleeping. She was up since early this morning trying to help me with my little party I had. She even cleaned up all this mess before she went to bed." JC said as he pointed to the three large trash bags that were sitting by the back door to be taken out.

 

"Well just give her these to look at. I told Laura I would bring them by tomorrow and look at them with her, but I have to take your cousins to the airport."

 

"okay." he took the bundle of magazines and placed them on the kitchen counter.

 

"She's moved in already?"

 

"No...We haven't worked that detail out yet. She is just spending the night." He explained.

"I guess I should stop that...You're married now, JC. You don't need to explain anything to me anymore."

 

He looked down and smiled. "Yeah I know. I was just trying to be more open with you about my life."

 

Karen sat down at the table and motioned for JC to join her. "Well, can I take this moment to try and do the same with you?" she asked as she looked down the hallway to make sure that Laura was not close by.

 

"Sure." he replied as he sat down next to his mother. Karen put her hand over JC's. "Are you sure she is the one you want to spend the rest of your life with?"

 

"Of course I'm sure." he said as he pulled his hand away. "Why would you even ask me something like that?"

 

"Because I know you." she said as she motioned him to keep his voice down. "You sometimes you act without thinking.

 

"I thought you liked Laura."

 

"I love Laura...And that is why I am making sure that you two aren't making the biggest mistake of your lives."

 

"And what mistake might that be, mother?" he said as he folded his arms and sat back in the chair.

 

"The mistake of trying to hold onto something that was never there to begin with."

 

JC rolled his eyes as he looked away from her.

 

"She is Rachel's best friend, Joshua."

 

"Here we go with that again!" he said loudly.

 

"Let me finish!" she whispered, motioning for him to keep his voice down.  "She is Rachel's best friend as well as yours. Can you honestly sit there and tell me that you aren't clinging to Laura because the two of you have Rachel in common? Isn't that the one thing your friendship was based on to begin with? The link you both share in Rachel? The two of them are so much alike it is scary at times."

 

JC stood up quickly and pushed his chair in. "They are nothing alike."

 

"If that is what helps you sleep at night, then keep saying it to yourself."

 

"You know nothing about how we are together mom. You can't just come in here and pass judgments, because I didn't end up with the one that you wanted me to be with." JC walked into the living room and began to shut off the television.

 

His mother stood in the doorway watching him as he fixed the pillows on the couch.  He stood up and looked towards her. "You should see yourself sometimes, mom. The way you obsess over Rachel. You make Laura feel as if she isn't even in the room when you get on one of your 'Rachel is the best' rants. You compare her to Rachel when you shouldn't. She is nothing like her in the least. But I guess if her name isn't Rachel, she will never be good enough for me." he said as he threw the pillow down on the couch.

 

"Rachel has been around our family for a very long time. I grew very attached tothat girl and yes...I will admit that I tend to talk about her more than I should. But it only comes from missing her. She became part of our family...I still think of her in that manner...Even though the two of you are no longer together."

 

JC was growing angrier by the second. He walked over to the front door and opened it, waiting on his mother to take the clue that it was time to leave. She looked at him and nodded as she grabbed her purse. She slowly walked over to him as she stood in the middle of the doorway. "You are my son...and I would never do anything to hurt you or lead you astray. I know how your mind and heart work. I've observed how you were with Rachel...And I observed your friendship with Laura. And if you think I was naive about you and her...You are way off, hun. The only shock you gave me was the whole marriage in Vegas."

 

He looked away from his mother, but she took his face is her hand and made him look her in the eye. "I truly love you both. All I want is for you to be happy. I don't want you to settle in life. I want you to have everything you have ever dreamed of...Any mother would want that for her child. I also want Laura to be happy. I don't want her to one day realize that she was second best in your eyes. I do not want to see either of you hurt. I'm just trying to make sure that you are with Laura for Laura...and not for remnants of your lost love." She kissed his cheek and walked out the door and down the driveway.

 

JC slammed the door shut. He sat down on the steps and let his head fall into his hands.

Laura was awaken by the sound of fire engines that were racing down the street. She looked at the clock and noticed it was 1am. She slid her hand over to the other side of the bed to touch JC and realized that he was not there. She got up and searched the entire house with no luck. She looked outside and could see his car was still there and wondered to herself where he could be. She walked out into the backyard to see if he was in the pool. The water was still. Laura turned around to go back into the house when she noticed him sitting on the lawn chair staring at the water.

"JC?" she asked with a puzzled look on her face and she walked towards him. He didn't take his gaze away from the water. "Baby? What are you doing out here?"

 

"Couldn't sleep." he said as he lifted his eyes to meet hers. He stared at her as he remembered what his mother had said to him earlier. Laura walked over and sat in the chair next to him.

 

"Is something bothering you? You usually have no trouble sleeping." she joked.

 

JC slightly smiled at her and then turned his gaze back to the water. "I'm just thinking about my life and wondering how I ended up where I am today."

 

Laura was confused. "What do you mean?"

 

JC didn't want to scare her. "Oh, nothing, babe. I'll be in, in a second."

 

"Okay." she said as she stood up to leave. Laura started to walk away, but JC grabbed her hand and lightly pulled her down towards him. He leaned up and kissed her softly on the lips. Laura smiled. "I love you, JC." she said as she kissed his forehead.

 

JC ran his hand down her cheek and smiled. She stood up and reluctantly let go of his hand as she walked back into the house. He looked back towards the pool and quickly realized he was now the one who was afraid to utter those three words.

Chapter 39 by DesperateThoughts

"Did Rachel call here by any chance?" Laura asked as she popped her head in the door.

 

"No...Why?" JC pulled up his laptop's audio program and plugged in the keyboard.

 

"I was hoping to see her today or tomorrow." Laura walked over and kissed JC on his cheek while he shuffled through sheet music.

 

Laura looked at her watch and noticed it was 5pm. She quickly looked through the drawers. "Laticia stocked up the fridge for the week. She told me to tell you that she will see you tomorrow. Which reminds me...Do have to do anything tomorrow?"

 

"Hmmm...Let's see." JC said as he began to play a little tune and started to sing his schedule to her, "I have to go into the studioooo...To work on a few tunes...Then I have to go to Johnny...Cause ya know he's a loooonnn."

 

"Okay...That was corny." she laughed.

 

"Yeah...I know, but I knew it would turn you on."

 

Laura plucked him on the arm as she leafed through more papers.

 

"No, but seriously. Me and the guys have to go into the studio for a bit, then over to Johnny's for a meeting. Then my mom wants me to come and pick up some more magazines and phone numbers to bring to you...And then I have to help my dad around the house with a few things. Why do you ask?"

 

"Well, I had hoped that we could sit down with Rachel and tell her what is going on...with us..."

 

"Are you sure you are ready to do that?"

 

Laura stopped moving the papers around and turned to look at JC. "If you are not ready than we can wait. I just don't want to wait too long. I want her to hear it from us as opposed to hearing it from a reporter on TMZ."

 

"I was just checking, Laura. There's no reason to get an attitude about it."

 

She wanted to argue, but knew it would be pointless. "I didn't have an attitude. Whenever you are ready to tell her, let me know." she said as she went to leave the room.

 

"Hey!" he called after her. Laura looked towards him. "...I'm ready. Just let me know when, so I can make the time to be here with you."

 

"Fine." she huffed. JC could hear her stomping across the hardwood floors and out the door. He spun around in his chair and tossed his pencil across the room. "Women!" he said loudly to himself.

 

~~~

 

JC looked up from the piano and noticed that it was almost 9. He shut everything down and came across some of Laura's sheet music sitting at the top of a stack of papers she had been looking through earlier. He shook his head and smiled as he grabbed it and went upstairs into the main part of the house. He grabbed the cordless on his way to the kitchen and dialed her number. The phone rang 5 times before he gave up and started to dial her cell phone. He was puzzled when it went straight to voicemail, but figured she was somewhere with bad a signal.

 

"Hey baby, it's me. I think I found what you were looking for when you were here earlier. Your sheet music for that song we had been working on a while ago. How do you keep the music playing? Well that's the first line of what you have here. I just wanted to let you know...See you later."

 

JC finished making himself a sandwich and put the phone back on the cradle. He accidentally hit the answering machine button.

 

"You have 3 messages." the mechanical voice uttered. The first message was something short from Justin about their studio session the next morning. The second message wasn't very clear and it sounded as if the person was cut off as they began to speak. The third message was from Laura. She sounded hysterical as she cried into the phone.

 

"Someone called me earlier about my mother. She's in the hospital. My phone kept cutting out and I don't know what is wrong so I am leaving on the first flight out to see about her. Please call me as soon as you get this. It's about 7:30 right now. "

 

JC put down his sandwich and rushed to the phone to call her again. Just as he was reaching out, it rang. He jumped at the sound and quickly picked it up. "Hello?"

 

"JC? Did you get my message?" Laura asked. He could hear her sniffling in the background.

 

"I just heard it a second ago. I was about to call you again. Are you okay?"

 

"Yeah..." she answered lowly.

 

"Where are you?"

 

"Philadelphia International Airport. I just got off the plane a few minutes ago."

 

"Any word about your mother?"

 

"None. I am going to check out the hospital near her house. I think the woman that called me said she was a nurse...I just..."

 

JC sat down on the edge of the couch and could hear Laura struggling to speak past her tears. He hated the fact that he wasn't there to comfort her.

 

"...I just...I don't know what do to...I need to go and get this rental car, though."

 

"Laura."

 

"Yeah?" she said as she got up off the chair and wiped her eyes.

 

"I am going to call and get the first flight out tonight to be with you and then I'm going to call Justin and have him let everyone else know I won't be in the studio tomorrow."

 

"No, JC...You don't have to do that."

 

"Yes...I do." he demanded.

 

Laura was silent. She didn't know what to say.

 

"I will take your silence as your admitted defeat in the argument that we were about to have."

Laura chuckled through her tears as she wiped her eyes. He smiled as he closed his eyes and tried to picture her in his head.

 

"Could you pack me some clothes? I was in such a rush that I didn't bring anything with me except my purse."

 

"Yeah. Of course."

 

"Also, in my night stand by my bed there is a small purple book. It's my journal. I usually write lyrics in it...Could you bring that too?"

 

"Purple notebook...Got it."

 

"And JC?" she called out.

 

"Yes?"

 

There was a long pause. "Thank you."

 

"There's no need for that...You better hurry and get the car. I need to hurry along here myself. Leave your phone on. I'm going to need directions when I get into town."

 

They both said their goodbye's and JC rushed to pack a bag. He called Laticia and told her he was going to be out of town for a few days and that there was no need to come to work. He called Justin and left him a message about what had happened. JC jogged through his backyard and over to Laura's and packed her bag, grabbed her notebook, and made sure both houses were secure before finally jumping into a cab. On the way to the airport, he smacked himself in the head and dialed another number.

 

"Mom? Sorry to wake you so late."

 

"JC? What's wrong?"

 

"I need you to go over to my house tomorrow and get Buddy and take him home with you for a few days."

 

"Why, are you going away?"

 

"Yeah. Something happened to Laura's mother. I am taking the next flight out to go up there and be with her."

 

His mother sat upright in her bed with the phone up to her ear, "What happened?"

 

"She doesn't know yet."

 

"Whoa, whoa whoa...Wait. She doesn't know yet?" she asked as she turned on the light. Mr. Chasez turned over to see what was wrong.

 

"No. There was a bad connection when the person called."

 

"Well, it could be something minor like a twisted her ankle. You're dropping important dates and meetings to rush up there for something that could just end up to be nothing at all?"

 

"What is your problem, Mother?!" he yelled.

Chapter 40 by DesperateThoughts

"I am just saying that you should find out what is wrong with her mother before you go dashing across the states to see about a woman you don't even know."

 

"I'm 'dashing across the states', to be with my wife when she needs me."

 

"Laura, actually asked you to drop appointments to come up there!?"

 

"No...She is very upset and I want to be there for her. And even though I have never met Mrs. Charles, she is in fact my mother-in-law!"

 

JC's dad started to grab the phone from her hand to tell his son to watch his tone but Mrs. Chasez stopped him and turned away to talk to her son. "Okay, JC. Let's just calm down for a second and think about this."

 

JC took a deep breath before speaking. "Mom. I love you dearly. But if this thing between you and I...Or you and Laura isn't settled soon, I am going to have to keep my distance."

 

Karen went to interrupt him, but he continued to speak. "The simple fact that you would try downplay this situation is unbelievable to me! And this decision really doesn't have anything to do with Laura's mother. It has to do with Laura. And if I have to say 'screw it' to a few hours of studio time and some meetings then so be it."

 

"You really this love this girl huh?" she asked.

 

"When you love someone, you'll do anything. You'll do all the crazy things that you can't explain. So if you call me being irrational for once in my life and skipping out on important meetings crazy...Then I guess you can say I do, mom. We're almost at the airport so I need to go. I love you mom. Bye."

 

She slowly put the receiver back down onto the base and layed down. She starred up at the ceiling and watched the moonlight stream through the room and she thought quietly to herself.

 

When JC was seated on the plane he tried his best to relax and get some sleep on the two hour flight. The stewardess came over and offered him a pillow and a drink. She then pointed out the headphones that were located in the seat. "Well it basically plays elevator music. I guess they figured it would be helpful in putting passengers to sleep." she joked.

 

He smiled and thanked her for her help and autographed a napkin for her daughter before putting on the headphones and leaning back into his chair. A familiar Spanish melody began to play and JC recognized Bryan Adams' song "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman." He listened to the lyrics and thought of Laura.

 

JC could feel the cabin rocking and looked out the window and could see it was raining. He smiled to himself as thoughts of Laura raced around in his mind as he continued to listen to the music. He looked inside his bag to get a magazine and came across Laura's purple notebook.

 

He took it out and started to leaf through the book. In the bag were pages and pages of lyrics and musical notes. His eyes widened as he started to read through some of her songs. He was amazed at how many she had written and how incredible some of them were. He was also taken aback at how revealing her lyrics were. For someone who seemed so private and reserved, she let everything flow out through her music.  There were no secrets there.  They all seemed to tell a story about her life or things that she had seen or experienced. He soon noticed that the book was split into two parts. The front half of the book was her personal journal and the back part of the book were songs and music. He looked up and around the as if he were a kid trying not to get caught doing something he wasn't supposed to.

 

He found himself immediately turned on as he read different fantasies that she had of him in dreams. A deep grin appeared across his face as he read how much she had cared for him even before they got involved with one another.

 

"That must be an extremely good book." a voice rang out.

 

JC was startled and quickly shut the book before accidentally dropping it onto the ground. "Yes, I guess you could say that." he answered as he reached for the book. Two sets of hands were on the book. JC looked up and saw the stewardess smiling down at him. "Here you go." she said.

 

"I must have looked like the Joker."

 

"Ehh...You were almost there." she laughed. "I just wanted to see if you wanted to a snack."

 

"Oh...No. Thanks though." He laughed to himself at how childish he was acting when the woman came over and noticed him reading a purple notebook with flowers all over the front of it. "Now she probably thinks I'm gay."

 

JC wanted to go back and finish reading Laura's journal, but knew he had violated her privacy by even opening it in the first place. He set it down in the empty chair next to him and closed his eyes and he tried to fall back to sleep. He slightly opened one eye and looked down at the book. He crossed his arms over his chest and began to tap his finger on his arm trying to play out his little dilemma. 'Well I have already read some. If I am going to be a snoop, I might as well do it right...But these are her private thoughts...I don't want her to not be able to trust me.' he thought to himself.

 

He put the notebook back into his bag and stuffed it under the chair in front of him and started to read his magazine. After a few moments of glancing down at the bag numerous times he threw down the magazine and grabbed the bag again and started to read the journal once more. His smiles continued to grow until they suddenly stopped on a certain date. JC read the entry a couple more times and leafed backwards and forwards through the book for more information. When it turned out hopeless, he read the entry one last time and slowly closed the notebook. He stared down at the journal and found himself lost in his own thoughts until he heard the pilot over the loudspeaker. He placed the book back into his bag and pushed it underneath the seat and buckled his seat belt. He closed his eyes and all he could see were Laura's words burned deep into his memory.

 

~~~~~~

 

JC's mom had been lying awake in bed for two hours thinking of her son and the argument they had earlier. She pulled the covers up over her shoulder and spoke softly to herself. "God I hope you are in love with her, JC. For both your sakes."

Chapter 41 by DesperateThoughts

"Could you tell me where I can get ice for this please?" Laura asked the nurse behind the desk as she held the plastic hospital pitcher in her hand.

 

As the nurse was giving her directions, Laura could see someone walking towards her through the corner of her eye. She looked over and noticed JC and her Aunt Dorothy walking down the hallway.  JC hands were dug deep down in his pockets as he walked through the hospital corridor towards his wife. He was noticeable uncomfortable with his surroundings and was constantly looking around at everything he saw. Laura immediately walked towards him and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. JC was stunned by her reaction but wrapped his arm around her back to pull her closer while his other hand remained in his pocket.

"Thank you so much for coming." she said as she kissed his cheek and looked into his eyes.

He slightly smiled. "Thanks for picking him up from the airport Aunt Dorothy." Laura said as her aunt grabbed her hand tight to show her support.

 

"So how is she?" he asked.

 

"She fell down the steps. She was unconscious when the neighbors found her. She broke her ankle. They had to reset the bone so she was in surgery just a little while ago."

 

"Has she been awake yet?"

 

"No, not yet, but the doctor says she should be coming out of it any minute now."

 

"Laura, you look exhausted. Why don't you and JC go down and get something to eat. I will stay with your mother."

 

Laura doubled checked with her aunt to make sure.  Her aunt nodded her head and brushed Laura's hair back with her fingers and she held her cheek in her hand. Laura put her hand over her aunt's and hugged her before walking over to JC and proceeding towards the elevators. The two of them were silent as they sat in he hospital cafeteria and drank coffee. Laura ran her finger across the bracelets on his arm. "I appreciate you coming here. I know you don't like hospitals very much."

 

JC looked up from his cup. "No, it's not that. I'm just a little worn out."

 

"Do you want to go? I can ask my aunt to take you to the house." she asked.

 

"No. I just got here, Laura." he said as he began to stir the tiny red straw around in his cup.

 

"I know...I just..." Laura stopped talking and shrugged her shoulders as she ran her thumbs across her cup. JC didn't know what to say to her. He didn't know what was going on in her head. He wanted to ask her about the journal, but didn't that it was the time or place to bring it up. But it was eating away at him and he needed an answer and soon.  He sat up and leaned towards her so no one at the surrounding tables could hear them." Laura."

 

"Yeah?" she asked as she ran her hands through her hair before resting her chin on her knuckles. He looked down and started to fiddle with a packet of sugar as he continued to speak. "I...I really don't know how to ask you this, but I am a little concerned about something that I stumbled across a little while ago...And it is probably not the right time to bring this up, but it is eating away at me."

 

"Ask me what?" she said as she took a sip of her coffee.

 

"Are you hiidd---"

 

"Laura, your mother is waking up." a voice interrupted from behind. Laura quickly turned around and saw her aunt standing there motioning for her to follow her. She looked back at JC, who nodded for her to go ahead. She jogged towards her aunt and down the hallway. JC walked slowly towards the hospital room and could see Laura standing over her mother alongside the doctor. Laura's aunt was on the opposite side of the bed.

"Connie? Connie...It's Dorothy! Can you hear me?" she said loudly.

 

JC walked closer and stood up against the wall and watched the doctor flashing a light into the woman's eyes. JC noticed that Laura didn't look like her mother. Her long flowing strawberry blonde hair was neatly placed over her shoulders. Her face showed a woman who had been through a great deal in her life, but he knew that she was not as old as she looked. He remembered that Laura had told him a long time ago that her mother was younger than her aunt. As he looked at her mother and then at her aunt he felt there must have been some sort of mistake, because Laura's mother looked much older.

 

"Mom?" Laura said as she lightly rubbed her mother's arm.

 

"Laura?" the woman mumbled as she squinted her eyes to focus.

 

"Yes mom, its me."

 

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

 

"I came to see about you mom. I was worried."

 

"She took the first flight out to get her to be with you, Connie!" Dorothy said loudly.

 

"Damn, Dorothy! I'm not deaf." Connie mumbled trying to clear her throat. Laura poured her a cup of water and helped her sit up to take a sip. The doctor went out into the hallway to give them a few moments to talk to her alone. Dorothy followed him into the hall to ask him a few questions.

 

Laura's mother was still squinting and looking around as she tried to let her eyes adjust to the lights when she noticed JC standing against the wall. "Who the heck are you?" she asked.

 

"Mom. That's JC."

 

"Oh." she responded.

 

JC walked closer towards the bed to say hello.

 

"Ahh, I remember you."

 

JC and Laura looked at her in confusion. Connie rolled her eyes at their reaction. "I've seen pictures of him and Rachel at Janine's house." she explained. "Damn. I'm not senial yet, Laura." JC went to shake her hand but eventually pulled his hand back when she looked the other way towards the door ignoring his attempts. "Well, I see you here, JC, but where is Rachel?" she asked as she looked back towards them.

 

"She isn't here. JC is my…Good friend." Laura hesitated. JC looked at her as she looked up towards him feeling more embarrassed by the second. Dorothy walked back into the room with the doctor. "Connie, Dr. Grossman says that you will be able to go home in a couple hours. He just wants to observe you for a little while longer and he needs us to fill out some forms before they release you.

 

As the doctor spoke to the them about caring for her ankle, JC looked over and noticed Laura didn't seem herself. He placed his hand on her back to give her comfort. He didn't know if the change was all in his mind from what he read in her journal or if it was real. Dorothy instructed JC and Laura to go home ahead of them. She explained that she would bring Connie home in a while and for them to get some rest until then.

 

It was a very quiet drive to Laura's childhood home. JC would glance over at her while she was driving and could tell her mind was filled with a million thoughts. As they drove down the quiet little street, Laura pointed out a little blue house on the corner that had a small picket fence.

 

"That's Rachel's old house. Her sister Janine lives there now." she said as they passed by. About six houses down they came across a two story home. Laura pulled up into the driveway and turned off the car. She sat completely still as she looked at the bright white house. JC noticed that everything seemed to be so perfect. The grass was a dark, healthy shade of green and perfectly trimmed. The flowers were perfectly spaced from one another. JC felt he had been spun back in time to an episode of "Leave It To Beaver." He looked over at Laura who seemed to be frozen behind the steering wheel. "Are we going inside or did you want to sleep in the car tonight?" he asked.

 

She snapped out of her thoughts and looked towards him. "Huh? No." she smiled. "Come on, let's go."

 

She dragged herself out of the car. JC walked over to the other side with both their bags in his hand as he followed Laura up the steps onto the porch. Laura unlocked the front door and took a deep breath before going in. The inside was just as perfect as the outside. Everything was in its place, the hardwood floors seemed to sparkle. Laura showed JC around the house. As they walked down the hallway towards the stairs JC reached to open a door, "What's in here?" he asked. 

 

Laura grabbed his hand and pulled it away, almost as if she were scared for him to even touch the door knob.  "Nothing! It's just the basement.  Let me show you upstairs."

 

As they walked up the steps he glanced at various pictures of her when she was younger and family portraits of other relatives hanging on the wall. She led him upstairs into the guest bedroom and placed his bag on the full sized bed.  "This is where you'll be sleeping." she said as she went into the closet to get him some towels.

 

"Where is your room?" he asked. Laura smiled at him and shook her head. He followed her down the hallway. Laura stopped in front of the door and ran her hand lightly across the wood before slowly turning the knob and flipping the switch to turn on the lights.

Laura placed her bag on the floor and circled around the room in awe. "Wow. I can't believe she left everything." she said as she ran her hand across a unicorn figurine.

 

"What do you mean?" JC asked.

 

"Nothing...I'm just...I'm just surprised that she didn't get rid of all this stuff. I would have figured she would have changed it into a big sculpting studio by now."

 

JC looked around the room and noticed that there were four shelves covered with trophy's and ribbons. He saw the walls were decorated with different plaques and awards. He saw various pictures of Laura when she was younger at various music competitions. The mirror was covered with photos of her and Rachel from when they were babies up until their high school graduation.

 

"Wow." he said as he continued to look around. Laura sat on the edge of the bed and picked up a stuffed tiger that was laying on the light purple pillow. "You've been playing the piano since you were 4?" he asked in shock.

 

"Yeah" she replied. JC turned around and noticed her petting the stuffed animal. He walked over to her and grabbed the tiger and leaned down so that he was at eye level with her. "You okay?"

 

"Yeah...I'm fine." she said solemnly. "Let's get a bite to eat from the kitchen, she said as she stood up and walked out of the room.

 

JC followed her down the steps and past the stairway towards the kitchen. As they sat in the living room with their tv trays watching television, JC decided to look at more photos that were draped around the room and over the fireplace.

 

"Why doesn't your mother have any pictures of you at different competitions down here? You wanted them all in your room or something?" he teased. "I mean, she must have taken a million pictures of you in front of the piano."

 

Laura didn't speak as she followed him with her gaze. He turned to look at her to see if she was paying attention to him. "My dad took most those pictures." she said.

 

"Daddy's little girl, huh?"

 

"Yeah...At one time I was."

 

JC sat down next to her on the couch and rest his head on his hand. "At one time?"

 

"Yeah. Then I woke up one day and he just....He just wasn't there anymore." she said softly as tears began to fill her eyes.

 

"What do you mean?" JC asked as he placed his hand on her leg.

 

"He committed suicide when I was 9." she replied. JC placed his arms around Laura as she cried softly.

 

"I'm sorry, Hun. I didn't know."

 

"It's ok. It happened so long ago. Just being back here, brings back alot of memories for me is all." she said as she wiped the tears away and stood up to take their plates into the kitchen.

JC wanted to follow her, but didn't know what he could possibly say to her to make her feel better. He knew her father had died, but she nor Rachel never said anything else about it. Laura didn't really speak too much about her family. JC started to realize why when he was at the hospital with Laura and her mother.

 

While he was waiting for her to come back, he noticed a family album that was sitting on the coffee table. Laura came back into the room and looked over JC's shoulder and noticed he was looking through the album. She rounded the corner of the couch and could see him smiling to himself at pictures of her when she was a baby. She sat down on the couch next to him as she went on to explain the history of each and every photo they came across. She would try her best to skip past the embarrassing naked tub photos that everyone seems to have, but JC held her back while he laughed out loud to himself. "See, I knew you were a freak from way back!" he joked.

 

A couple hours later, Dorothy opened the door and helped Connie in with her crutches. They could hear the television was on and walked into the living room. Connie was about to speak until Dorothy motioned for her to be quiet. Laura's mother looked up and could see JC lying on the couch with his foot draped over the side on the floor and Laura lying between his legs with her head on his chest. Laura's arms were wrapped around him. JC's chin was on top of her head and his arm was draped over her back as they both slept peacefully. Dorothy grabbed a blanket from the back of the rocking chair and draped over the two of them. Connie quietly limped towards the two of them on the couch and saw the open photo album sitting on the coffee table. She noticed the picture of Laura's father and stood there for a moment staring at the book before she finally closed it. She went to leave the room and stopped in her tracks where she heard movement. Laura moved her hand and let it fall to the side of couch. Connie immediately noticed the ring on her finger sparkling in the lights reflected off the television.  She covered her mouth in shock. She tried to look at JC's hand but was interrupted by her sister telling her to let them rest. She nodded and limped over to the television and shut it off before leaving the room and struggling up the steps into her bedroom trying to figure out what she had just seen.

Chapter 42 by DesperateThoughts

The next morning JC came downstairs after a shower and followed the smells of bacon and eggs. He stopped right before he went into the dining room and noticed the two women sitting across from each other in complete silence. Mrs. Charles was sitting at the table reading the newspapers. Laura was sitting quietly eating and glancing at her mother and then out the window every few seconds. JC though it seemed strange, but figured it was something normal in their household.

 

"Good morning, ladies." JC said as he entered the room. "How are you feeling, Mrs. Charles."

 

Laura's mom put down her newspaper and sipped her coffee. "I'm in a little pain, but better than I was yesterday. Thanks for asking." she responded as she looked down at his hand.

 

Laura grabbed a glass and filled it up with orange juice and handed it to him. He smiled at her as she started to make his plate. Connie sat back and watched the two of them. She folded her arms and cleared her throat. "So when is the baby due?"

 

Laura had to cover her mouth with a napkin to keep from spitting her orange juice all over the place. "Excuse me?" she coughed as she looked at her mother in dismay.

 

"Well I may be old, but I am not blind just yet." she said as she pointed to Laura's hand.

JC looked down towards Laura's stomach with concern.

 

Laura looked at where his gaze was directed and put her hand in his face. "She means the ring, JC." Laura looked back over at her mother. "I was going to tell you before, but I wanted to wait until you were feeling better. I didn't want to pile on too much too soon, mom."

 

"Is that what you were nagging to talk to me about before? When you left those messages on my answering machine?"

 

"Yes. You never returned my call, so I didn't know if you ever received my message." she said as she looked down in disappointment realizing her mother had been ignoring her calls.

 

"When is the baby due? That is obviously why you would go and get married out of the blue. Especially to someone your best friend was about to marry." she said as she ate a piece of her toast.

 

"I'm not pregnant." Laura replied.

 

"Then what were you? Drunk?" she asked as she went to sip her coffee.

 

The room was completely silent as both JC and Laura looked at one another. "You were, weren't you?" her mother asked. Neither of them replied. "Well that figures." she said nonchalantly as she finished eating her toast.

 

"Does Rachel know?" Connie asked with a concerned look on her face.

 

"Not yet. We were waiting to tell her in person. She's been rather busy lately though."

 

"Yeah, well I guess I would be too when my own best friend was stabbing me in the back."

 

JC was appalled at the way her mother was speaking to her, but he did not want to make matters worse by interrupting. "I wasn't stabbing her in the back, mom." Laura said as she stood up and gathered plates to take into the kitchen.

 

Laura's mother rolled her eyes as her daughter left the room and went into the kitchen. "I don't know how she got you into this mess, JC, but I hope you are fully covered with insurance, cause by the time she is done with you, I don't know if there will be anything left." she whispered as she looked him up and down.

 

JC went to respond but Laura walked back into the dining room to gather the rest of the plates. "We are going to do this right though, mom. We are having a formal ceremony and the whole 9 yards very soon."

 

"Do you honestly think that going in the church and standing before God is going to make all the pain you've caused disappear?" she yelled after her. Laura stood over the sink as she ran water across the dishes.

 

She took in a few deep breaths and looked towards the ceiling to keep from crying. She slowly walked back into the dining room and looked towards JC. "I need to go and get a few things to make dinner with later on tonight. Could you help my mom with anything she needs while I am gone please."

 

"Of course." he replied as he looked at her with concern.

 

"I should be back shortly, mom. I am very sorry if I disappointed you in any way with what I have done." she said as she quickly kissed her mother's forehead.

 

"I kept telling you the path you were taking was only going to lead to trouble...And I was right. Look at you now. You just gotta be more responsible, Laura!" she called after her as she walked out the front door.

 

JC sat there staring at Mrs. Charles and tried to make sense of what had just happened. He shook his head in disbelief and was about to speak, but she spoke first. "So..." she said before pausing. "...Son-in-law..." she shook her head and smiled to herself. "Tell me more about yourself. All I know is what Rachel used to tell me about you and what Laura has said here and there. You are a musician right?" she asked.

 

"Yes, ma'am. I sing...I write...I play."

 

"Just like Laura's father." she said as she looked out the window. "Did Laura tell you about her father?" she asked. Not really looking for an answer from him, she continued to talk. "He used to play his piano all the time around here. I finally had to make him put his piano and his other equipment in the basement. Our neighbors would complain when he would get an idea and be up at 3am banging away at the keys." she laughed in remembrance. She stood up and winced in pain.

 

JC quickly got up, "Are you ok?"

 

Mrs. Charles smiled. "Yeah. Just stood up too fast. Come with me." she said as she limped out of the dining room and down the hall. She opened the door to the basement and put her hand on JC's shoulder to gain balance as she slowly went down the steps. Once they reached the bottom, he followed her to the very back of the basement. There was a big red door with the words KEEP OUT written across it. She asked JC to slide his hand above the door frame to find a key.

 

~~~~

 

Laura sat in the parking lot of the grocery store and finally let the tears fall. She rested her head against the steering wheel and just broke down and cried.

 

~~~~

 

"I might as well show you this now, so that there aren't any uncomfortable questions later on down the road." Mrs. Charles said as she nodded for him to unlock the door. "Laura isn't even allowed in here. So we will just keep this between the two of us, ok?"

 

JC nodded. He gently pushed the door open. He could feel cold gust of wind hit his body and instantly got goose bumps. Mrs. Charles slid her hand inside and flipped up the switch. The bright light illuminated the room as JC slowly walked inside. He immediately noticed the black piano sitting up against the wall. He gazed in awe at all the pictures and posters. There seemed to be hundreds of photos of Laura's father with different singers and musicians all over the country. JC noticed old posters of jazz musicians like Louis Armstrong, Frank Mangione, and Charlie Parker framed in glass with their signatures and personal messages to him.

 

"This is incredible..." he said as he kept looking at photos.

 

He noticed three pictures sitting on top of the piano. One was of Laura and her father sitting at the piano together. The other was of Laura and her mother. Mrs. Charles was sitting on the porch with Laura on her lap as she puckered her lips towards the camera and a 5 year old Laura had her arms wrapped around her neck and her lips planted deep on her mothers cheek. The last photo was of the three of them cuddled together on the porch swing. "She looks like her father a lot." JC smiled.

 

"Yes...I know." she replied never smiling back. JC looked down next to the piano and noticed 4 crates full of sheet music. He looked towards Mrs. Charles who was still standing outside the door.

 

"May I?" he asked.

 

"Sure." she replied.

 

He leafed through a few pages and shook his head. "This is just amazing."

 

He placed the sheet music back into the crate and turned around to find a tiny wooden piano and miniature sized stool in the corner along with a box of toys sitting next to it.

Laura's mother looked in the direction of his gaze. "Laura used to sit down here for hours with her father while he played. I would be all the way upstairs in the kitchen and I could hear her singing along so loudly to the music he played." she said as she starred at the tiny piano. "He used to sit her up at the piano and they would play together. I used to have to drag her upstairs some nights because she would always want to stay up 'help dada' with his songs."

 

JC smiled as her mother continued to speak about Laura's younger years. He noticed 6 radios sitting on the floor piled on top of one another.  "That's a lot of radios." he commented.

 

"Yeah. I don't have a need for music in this house anymore. I've had enough music around here to last me a few lifetimes. " she quickly stated.

 

JC was puzzled by her response, but didn't feel he had any right to ask her why. Mrs. Charles looked as though she were ready to go back upstairs. JC took one last look as he turned off the light. He locked the door and placed the key back where he found it and helped her back upstairs.

 

Laura came home and found her mother sitting in the living room watching television while JC was in the kitchen writing. "Mom. I went and picked up some shrimp to cook for dinner tonight. I know its your favorite." she yelled towards the living room.

 

"I'm going out to eat with your Aunt Dorothy tonight. You and JC can have it." she yelled back.

 

"Oh..." Laura said as she placed the bags onto the counter. "I didn't know you had other plans."

 

"Yeah. You should have asked me before you went and bought all that stuff."

 

'This woman is psychotic' JC's mouthed to himself as he looked towards the living room.

 

"That's ok. We can just have more shrimp for the two of us, Laura." JC said trying to make her feel better. Laura nodded her head in agreement as she began to put the food away.

 

A loud knock came at the front door. "Come in!" Connie yelled.

 

"Mrs. Charles? It's me, Rick."

 

"Oh, hey Ricky! How is your sister doing?"

 

JC looked up from the table and leaned to see who had just come into the house.

 

"Oh she is doing pretty good." the voice said.

 

"Oh, man! Ricky?" JC yelled as he stood up to go into the other room.

 

"What's up man?" Ricky grinned as he walked over to JC and shook his hand before giving him a hug.

 

"I haven't seen you in so long. How are you?"

 

"I'm doing pretty good." Ricky said. "I just came by to pick up a couch Mrs. Charles said we could have."

 

Laura walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. Ricky looked over at her. "Wow." he paused as he scanned her body with his eyes. "Hey Laura."

 

"Hey Rick." she replied as she went over and gave him a hug. JC could tell Laura felt awkward during the embrace.  He noticed Rick hugged her just a little too long and a little too tight. JC suddenly felt uncomfortable.

 

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

 

"I came to pick up a couch your mother said Janine could have."

 

"Oh. Which one?"

 

"The white one in the basement."

 

"The brand new one I had sent over to you a month ago?" she asked.

 

"It's still in the plastic they delivered it in. I don't have any use for it, Laura, so I told Janine she could have it."

 

"Oh," Laura replied.

 

"Why don't you help him with it, JC. Its pretty heavy." Mrs. Charles said.

 

"Sure."

 

"Rachel is on her way into town. She told me to tell you that she will be over as soon as she gets in." Rick told Mrs. Charles.

 

"She is?" Laura and her mother said simultaneously in surprise.

 

"Yeah. She called around looking for you and found out from Justin that you were here. She was worried like we all were so she and Jerry took the first flight they could to get here."

 

"She's such a sweet girl." Mrs. Charles said. Rick nodded. "Well I better hurry up and get back home." he said as he leaned down and hugged Laura's mother. He stopped in front of Laura on his way into the hallway. "It was nice seeing you again, Laura."

 

"You too, Rick."

 

The two men went down into the basement and started to take the couch out of the house.

 

"You and Laura are rather close these days."

 

"We've always been close." JC said as he struggled to climb the stairs.

 

"Yeah...That's true. You two do have Rachel in common. And the two of them are like sisters, so I guess I could see how you two are inseparable."

 

"What's up with Laura and her mother?" JC asked.

 

Rick stopped. "What do you mean?"

 

"Her mother seems kinda....Kinda cold blooded."

 

"Yeah....Let's wait till we get outside to talk about that." Rick explained.

 

Once they were outside and had loaded the couch into the truck, Rick and JC got in and began to drive down the street. "Ever since Mr. Charles died, things haven't been the same in that house…."

 

Rick went on to explain that Mrs. Charles tried everything in her power to keep Laura from following in her father's footsteps. First she locked up his studio where the piano was and forbid Laura to ever go in there. She used to have a large padlock on the door when Laura used to live here. Then she got rid of all the radios in the house. She signed Laura up for other activities that had nothing to do with music. She took down all the pictures that had anything to do with music. She had become emphatic that there be no music in that house. 

 

"...She is still a great lady, but she has never been able to deal with his death properly." Rick said as they neared the house.

 

"I thought I was just imagining shit." JC said.

 

"No. It's good that you are here with her though. I'm sure she wouldn't have been able to handle her without you."

 

"She doesn't seem to really like me much."

 

Rick laughed. "You're a musician. She probably hates you, JC...She seemed rather interested to know you back when Rachel would brag about you. She doesn't know about anything that went down between you guys though. The whole thing with little Nikolas has remained a big secret too."

 

"Nikki? What do you mean?" JC asked.

 

As they pulled up to the blue house on the corner, JC noticed the limo.

 

"Look, the jackass is finally here." Rick said as he saw Jerry grabbing bags out of the trunk. "Look, I'll explain later, JC. Let's just hurry up and get this in the house so we both can get the hell out of here."

 

JC smiled. He hated Jerry, but knew Rick hated him even more. Rick got out of the car and asked the limo driver to move the vehicle out of his way. JC saw Jerry turn around and walk towards him in the truck.  JC quickly looked down at his hand, scared that Jerry would leak the news of his recent marriage to Rachel before he and Laura could.  But he was mostly afraid Jerry would leak the news to the press to gain more publicity. JC quickly pulled his wedding ring off his hand and stuffed it down in his pocket.

 

"JC. What the hell are you doing here? I have been trying to call you non-stop since yesterday."

 

"I came up to see about Laura's mother with her."

 

Jerry seemed far from interested in the condition of Laura's mother.  "Oh. How are you two coming along with the album."

 

"It's moving along. Our schedules have been a bit hectic...Especially with emergencies like this."

 

"Well I need you guys to put some petal to the metal with this. You only have a couple months left."

 

"I know Jerry."

 

"Good. As long as you know our asses are on the line with this." he pointed out.

 

"I could give a fuck about your ass, Jerry." JC laughed.

 

Jerry was not amused. "Well then think about Laura's. She's got a great deal riding on this."

"Look...We'll have it done by deadline."

 

"That's what I like to hear." Jerry said as he walked back towards the house. JC rolled his eyes before getting out of the car to help Rick bring the couch into the house.

Chapter 43 by DesperateThoughts

"Rachel said she would be over in a little while." JC stated as he walked into the house. He went in the kitchen to talk to Laura and noticed there were groceries on the counter but she was no where in sight. He walked in the living room and saw Mrs. Charles sitting there reading a book.

 

"Where is Laura?" he asked.

 

"Upstairs having another one of her dramatic moments." Mrs. Charles responded as she turned the page. JC walked up the steps and rounded the stairwell towards Laura's room.

 

KNOCK KNOCK

 

"Laura? Are you in there?" he asked as he went to turn the knob. He opened to door and saw Laura sitting in the middle of her bed with her legs pressed up against her chest. He saw her eyes were red and puffy. He walked over and sat on the edge of the bed and touched her toes. "What's happened?"

 

"Nothing." she mumbled between her sobs. "I'll be fine in a minute."

 

"Laura. Tell me what happened." he asked.

 

She pointed to a large box on the end of the bed. JC pulled back the flaps and noticed that the box was full of padded envelopes addressed to her mother.

 

"What am I looking at here?" he asked.

 

"Every last one of the songs that I have written to date. She didn't even bother to open them." she said is dismay as she wiped her tears away and breathed deeply. "Anytime I write a song and its recorded, I send her the tapes so she can hear them."

 

"She never opened one?"

 

"Never. There are songs in there from 5 years ago, JC." she cried. He put his hand around her head and pulled her in closer to his chest. He gently rubbed her back and ran his hands through her hair as she sobbed. "She loves you, Laura."

 

"I've tried to send her money to help her out and she refuses it. She had been eyeing that couch set at the store one time and I went and bought it for her as a surprise. She just gives it away, like it were an old sweater she didn't need anymore. I send her newspaper and magazine articles about me and she throws them away, JC." Laura continued to cry.

 

All JC could do was sit and try and sooth her pain. "No one is perfect. And we all have problems. Your mom is just having a hard time dealing with hers. She sees your father in you and I guess that is something she hasn't been able to cope with, so she puts up a defense. But she loves you, Laura. That much you need to know is true."

 

"I know she does...I just wish she would say it." she wiped her eyes. "So I guess now you know why I'm so screwed up.  This is so embarrassing."

 

JC kissed her forehead. "We're all screwed up." he said as he moved her hair out of her face and kissed her lips. "Why should you be anymore special."

 

Laura lightly smiled and let her head fall into his chest.  He sent her off to take a shower and freshen up while he went downstairs to make the salad for dinner.

 

As he was chopping up the lettuce, Mrs. Charles came into the kitchen to get a glass of water and take her pain medication. "So is she done having another of her childish tantrums? I mean, really...They were only a bunch of tapes." she said as she took a sip of her water.

 

JC placed the knife down on the counter and turned to look towards Laura's mother. "How can you be so cold?"

 

Connie stopped in mid sip. "Excuse me?"

 

"How can you wake up every morning knowing that you treat her the way you do? I've been in this house less than 24 hours and I am ready to bolt out of here the first chance I get."

 

"Then leave! No one is stopping you. And make sure you take her with you."

 

"I get here and I see that Laura's a mere shell of the woman I see everyday. She is vivacious and full of life. She doesn't let anyone tell her what she can and can't do. She knows what she wants and she goes and gets it. And she sure as hell doesn't let anyone talk to her the way you have!" he yelled as he looked at her in dismay.

 

JC caught himself and tried to calm down. He leaned back against the counter and continued to speak. "She is an extremely charismatic person. Did you know your daughter can walk into a room and it will light up just because of her smile? Did you know that she is very respected in our industry? And its not because of who her father was.  It is because of who she is..."

 

"Ha...Like that is something I should be proud of? My daughter...The musician. Writing songs about a bunch of crap! Not trying to change anything in this world we live in. Only looking out for that almighty dollar. Being as irresponsible as it comes. Going out and getting drunk and only God knows what else and ending up married? I just can't fathom how many people she opened her legs for to get where you say she is today. And you call her respected?! I guess you would. You're a musician too. Just greedy and hung up in yourselves and your precious music."

 

"How would you know anything? You've never even listened to any of her songs! You don't know what she writes about. You don't know how many hearts she has touched with her music, because you've never been interested enough to find out. You don't know how many lives she may have changed because of a simple line in a song that meant just the right thing to that one person at just the right moment. You don't know how many faces light up when they see her enter the room because they finally get to see the face behind the music that they cherish and love." JC shook his head. "I can't believe you can stand here and talk about her like that. And I'm actually more of an asshole for allowing you to talk about my wife the way you just did! She's your daughter...Your own flesh and blood and you don't even know the first thing about her. That's sad, lady."

 

"I don't need to! She is just like her father. Reckless and irresponsible. She is going to end up just like him if she doesn't straighten up!" she yelled back.

 

"You think she is going to kill herself like your late husband did? Well I guess you would think that." he mocked. "You are probably the one that dro-"

 

"That's enough JC!" a voice yelled out from behind him. JC turned around and saw Laura standing in the doorway.

 

"Yes. That is quite enough!" Mrs. Charles stated as she took another sip of her water.

 

The room was silent as the three of them stood there looking at one another. Laura had on a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt. Her hair was wet from the shower and dripping onto the towel draped around her neck. "Will you excuse us please." Laura asked as she looked at JC.

 

"I don't know what came over me." he tried to explain. "I am very sorry, Mrs. Charles." JC wiped his hands on a towel and started to leave the kitchen. "I'll be upstairs if you need me."

 

The kitchen was silent as Laura and her mother waited. Once she heard the door shut Mrs. Charles began to speak. "Who did he think he was talking to?"

 

"He was talking to his mother-in-law. The only reason I asked him to leave was because I don't need him to defend me to my own mother."

 

"You think he was right in talking to me the way he did?"

 

"I believe he had quite a few valid opinions." she said as she sat down at the table. She folded her hands and looked up at her mother who was leaning on crutches. "Why do you hate me?"

 

"I don't hate you!" Her mother defended.

 

"Ever since daddy died, you don't even seem like you want to look at me. As if looking at me were bringing back unwanted memories. You belittle me every chance you get. You've always tried to make me feel as though my hopes and dreams were nothing but childish fantasies. I tried so hard to make you happy. I did everything I could to please you, mommy, and it never seemed to be enough for you." she sobbed.

 

"Well what do you expect? You are the reason he left us. He couldn't stand the fact that at 9 years old you were a better musician than he could ever be. Showing off every chance you could. Gloating about being able to finish pieces that took your father months to work on. You drove him over the edge. You act and look just like him...Why would I want to look at you, and see him in your eyes?"

 

"Is that what you still tell yourself at night? That I was the one that drove my father to hang himself in the basement?"

 

Connie covered her ears so she couldn't hear what her daughter was saying.

 

"You were so angry that daddy left us the way he did. You got rid of everything that had to do with daddy and music and locked it tight down in that basement where you wouldn't have to deal with it. But I was also a part of daddy! You were always looking for someone to blame. Someone to be responsible for daddy's death. He did it to himself, mom. It wasn't anyone's fault but his own."

 

"You don't know what you are talking about little girl." she said angrily through clenched teeth.

 

"Why didn't you just get rid of me when you could? Grandma and Grandpa Charles wanted me to come and live with them. But I guess you needed someone around to feel just as bad as you. And 16 years later you are still doing it. Growing bitter and bitter by the day."

 

Laura's mother limped over to the sink and turned her back to Laura as she placed her glass down.

 

Laura watched her and stood up and walked towards her. Her mother never turned to face her. She went to touch her but pulled her hands back and stared at the back of her head as she continued to speak. "And every time you treat me the way you do, I try my best to love you even more...Because I am waiting for just that one moment when I can look into your eyes and see some trace of someone I used to look up to as the greatest person in the world...My mother. But I can't even do that anymore." she said softly as she placed the towel onto the counter.

 

"Well good. It will save us both the aggravation of having to deal with one another. I think it is time for you and your new husband to get out of my house." she stated as she turned on the water.

 

Laura pushed in her chair and chuckled lightly to herself. "It's actually my house. My father left it to me in his will. I am just letting you live here. But you are right, mom. I do need to go. Sixteen years is a long time to go without hearing 'I love you' from the person that gave birth to me. I've tried so hard to make you proud of me. And it seems I will never have a moment when you can look at me and be happy that I am your daughter." Laura proceeded up the stairs and grabbed her things. JC was sitting in his room when she poked her head inside the door. "Are you ready to go?"

 

"Go where?"

 

"I'm ready to leave. We can find a hotel near the airport until we get a flight out of here." she said.

 

"Okay." he nodded as he collected his things. "What happened with your mother?"

 

"I don't want to talk about it right now, ok?"

 

"Okay." he agreed.

 

As they came downstairs they both went into the kitchen to say goodbye. "I again apologize for my outburst earlier, Mrs. Charles. I was out of line." JC noticed that her eyes were wet and wondered if she had been crying. "It was very nice meeting you." he said as he stretched out his hand.

 

Mrs. Charles shook his hand quickly and nodded her head before saying goodbye to him and turning back around towards the sink as she continued to wash dishes. Laura made her way to the kitchen and gave him the keys to the rental car and told him she would be out in a second. She looked towards her mother and then up at the ceiling trying not to cry again. "I'll talk to you soon, then..." she said as she turned to leave.

 

She stopped and closed her eyes before opening her mouth slowly and saying, "I love you, mom."

 

Laura walked out the door. Her mother stood in the kitchen still looking out the back window. A single tear fell down into the sink as she heard the car drive off.

Chapter 44 by DesperateThoughts

"No. We are going to stay just another day. Tell Johnny thanks for understanding, Justin...Okay...Talk to you later...I will...Bye." JC hung up the phone and leaned towards Laura who was lying in bed beside him. "Justin says hello." he said as he kissed her neck.

 

Laura nodded her head as she starred at the hotel alarm clock.

 

"You need to get up and get some air, Hun."

 

"I will soon."

 

"You need to blow off some of that steam, Hun.  I, for one, volunteer my services in any way possible…if you know what I mean." he teased as he playfully bit her earlobe.

 

Laura kicked her foot back to push him. JC smiled as she draped his arm around her waist and nibbled on her neck. She pushed her body back against his and closed her eyes feeling safe and comforted by his touch. "Is it horrible for me to feel kinda sad but at the same time extremely free and liberated? she asked as she turned over to face him.

 

"No. Not at all."

 

"Do you know I've never been able to stand up to her until today!?" she exclaimed as she sat up and straddled him on the bed. JC wrapped his hands around her hips and then up her back as she leaned down to rest her chin against his chest. JC kissed the top of her head. Laura smiled at him and ran her fingers lightly across his lips. "My mother has been this overpowering force in my life for so long, I didn't know what it was like to be able to speak freely in my own house. "

 

"Well we all want to please our parents, babe. We don't ever want to disrespect them, or be out of 'place'."

 

"Listening to you defend me to her somehow gave this tremendous feeling of confidence. Like I could finally say what I have been wanting to say for so long, JC. No one has ever done that for me." she softly said as she ran her fingertip down the tip of his nose. "God, I love you so much." She leaned down and began to kiss him deeply. JC ran his hands down to the small of her back. As the kissing grew more passionate, he slid his fingers up the back of her shirt to touch her skin.

 

"You make me feel like I can do anything when I am with you!" she yelled with joy before quickly pecking him on the lips a few more times and jumping up off the bed.

 

JC reached for her wondering where she was going in the middle of their moment. "Did you remember my notebook?" she asked.

 

With everything that happened JC had forgotten about it. "Yeah. Its in my bag. Do you need it right now?" he whined.

 

Laura laughed. "Yeah. I wanted to write a few things in there."

 

He went over and grabbed the bag and took out the notebook and handed it to her. As she was writing in the back of the book he decided to finally ask her. "Laura?"

 

"Yes?" she said as she continued to write.

 

"Please don't be upset with me, but I read your songs."

 

Laura stopped writing and looked up at him. "So? I don't mind."

 

"Well...That's not all I read."

 

Laura was confused. "What do you mean?"

 

"I read the front part of it also...Your journal."

 

Laura's face turned 12 shades of red and she remembered some of the things she had written about him. "Oh Lord.  That's just great." She closed her eyes and began to quote herself. "You read that part before we were even together about wanting your tremendously large cock to slide between my breasts?" she asked as she covered her face with the pillow.

 

JC smiled in recognition. "Yeah. But that's not all I read. There was this one entry back in February of last year."

 

"And?" she asked as she was trying to figure out what he was talking about.

 

He shook his head and took the notebook from her and opened it up to the page and began to read:

 

February 25:

Rachel came over earlier today and we had a very long discussion about things that have been going on lately. I don't know what the hell I am going to do. If I tell him, I stand a chance of losing them both as friends. I just don't know if JC will ever forgive me if he finds out what I did.

 

Laura's head fell back onto the pillow. JC watched her as she looked up at the ceiling and shook her head from side to side.

 

"What were you talking about when you wrote that?" he asked.

 

Laura sat up in bed and put her face in her hands before raking her fingers through her hair and looking at him. "I have been struggling with this for the past year now. And I think now is a better time than any to be completely honest with you...I-"

 

The hotel room phone began to ring. Laura ignored it and started to speak again. JC kept looking at the phone and then at her for an answer.

 

"Let me get this. I think its the woman about our plane tickets." she said as she held her pointer finger up.

 

"Hello? Yes this is she. Oh they are?" As Laura continued to talk JC heard his cell phone ringing. "Hello?"

 

"Where the heck are you guys?" Rachel asked.

 

"At a hotel near the airport. The Radisson. Why?"

 

"I have been trying to see you guys for the past three days." Rachel continued to talk.

 

Laura hung up the phone and whispered that she needed to go and get their tickets before the flight was booked up. They only had a 30 minute reserve on the seats before they were offered to someone else. She told him she would be back soon and grabbed her shoes and ran out the door.

 

"I went looking for you two at the house but Ms. Connie said that you had left and were headed for a hotel. What the hell is up with that? I am actually in the area right now. What room are you guys in?"

 

"Yeah there's been a lot of drama lately. It's a long story. We're in room 314. Laura ran over to the airport to get the tickets but she said she would be right back."

 

"Good. I need to talk to you both about something. I'll be there in a few minutes."

 

Laura returned to the hotel 45 minutes later with two large bags and a carrier tray with two large drinks. "JC, I went and got us some Wendy's on my way back. I know it's not shrimp, buuutttt-" Laura stopped in midsentence as she looked down at the site in front of her.

Chapter 45 by DesperateThoughts

The lamp and two chairs that were sitting near the entrance to the room were tipped over on the floor. Laura called out to JC and looked around the room to find him, but he was no where in sight. She walked towards the bathroom and heard something crack under her shoe. She looked down and saw broken glass on the floor. She leaned down to pick the larger pieces up as she called out to JC again.  As she stood up she was startled by the figure standing in the doorway to the bathroom. "JC? What the hell happened in here? Are you okay?"

 

JC put his hand up on the frame of the door and let his head slightly fall as he looked towards her. He never spoke a word. Laura's heart was beating a million miles a second.  The silence seemed to be deafening. She slowly walked towards him and could see he had been crying. "JC...Talk to me. What happened here?" she asked as she reached to touch his chest. JC stepped away from her and walked over towards the bed and sat down. Wearing only a pair of sweatpants he leaned down and started to put on a pair of socks.

 

"Will you please talk to me!? What is going on?" she asked loudly.

 

JC spoke softly to her. "I don't even know who you are anymore," he answered, continuing to put on his socks.

 

Laura was confused. "What do you mean?"

 

"Don't do this to me. I don't need this shit right now, Laura!" he said as he laced up shoes.

 

"JC. What-"

He quickly interrupted her and began to raise his voice. "A whole year...A whole fuckin' year and you have been in my life everyday and not even said a word about it!"

 

Laura realized what he was talking about and let her body slide down the wall until she was sitting on the floor. "Rachel came by while I was gone, I gather."

 

"Yes. Apparently, she needed to get a few things off her chest."

 

"What did she tell you?"

 

JC's anger was building as he tightly gripped onto his t-shirt to keep from throwing something across the room. "She told me everything you didn't. That's a whole year of his life that I have missed. A whole year that someone else has been taking advantage of, in my fuckin' place!" he yelled as tears began to fall down his eyes.

 

Laura sat against the wall crying to herself as she watched JC and saw how much pain he was in. He started to pack his things up to leave. Laura slowly got up and walked over to him at the dresser.

 

"JC I'm sorry...I didn't know Nikky was--."

 

"Dont' fuckin' lie to me, Laura. Just stop. Don't make shit any worse than it already is!" He walked away from her back over to the bed to pack up his shirts and plane ticket.

 

"She is my best friend. What was I supposed to do, JC? Was I supposed to betray her after I promised I wouldn't say anything to anyone about it? She never told me he was actually yours."

 

"But you knew he could have been. You knew there was a possibility that Nikolas could have been my son!?" JC threw his head back in dismay as he thought back to all the times the three of them were together with the baby. "I mean all those times that we all sat around together and I played with him. You knew how much I loved that kid. You knew how badly I wanted kids. How could you just sit there each time and not be able to tell me that the little blue eyed kid I adored was mine?"

 

Laura kept wondering why JC kept referring to Nikolas as his own. Rachel had only told her there was a possibility. Laura was curious to find out exactly what Rachel said to him. She wanted to make sure that Rachel wasn't up to anything and that she told him before she found out about their recent marriage to one another. Laura was about to ask when she looked down and noticed that JC's wedding ring was not on his finger. "Did she tell you this before or after you told her about the wedding?"

 

JC paused and looked towards her. "I never got a chance to bring it up." He said.

 

Laura rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I guess you must have left that part out." She pointed down towards his hand. JC looked down and remembered that he wasn't wearing his ring. He went to explain but shook his head and said, "Don't try and turn this around on me."

 

He grabbed his bag and walked towards the door. Laura ran in front of JC to stop him. "Where are you going?"

 

"I'm getting the fuck out of here before I go crazy." he said as he started to walk past her.

 

"No, you're not going...You're not leaving." She grabbed his arms to stop him.

 

JC threw his bag down. "What do you want from me, Laura!" He yelled loudly.

 

"I want us to talk this out. I want to explain this to you. I want to know what you are thinking right now."

 

"You don't want to know what I am thinking right now. You don't want to know that I don't even want to be in the same hemisphere as you. You don't want to know that I can't even stand to look at you right now."

 

Laura began to cry even more. "JC, please. I am so sorry." She wept as she inched towards him. With every move she made in his direction JC moved back from her. "I didn't know. I was trying to protect you." she pleaded.

 

"What the fuck? Do I have a fuckin' sign on my back that says protect me? Do I look like I need saving!?" he yelled.

 

"No" she nodded. "I was only trying to be the best friend I could be. I only did it because I love you..." she cried as she went to place her hands on his face. "I just want to be with you."

 

"Don't bullshit me." he said as he grabbed her hands.

 

Laura kept repeating that she loved him. JC pushed her back against the door and continuously pounded his fist into the wall next to her head "Don't bullshit me...Don't you fuckin bullshit me!!!" he yelled. JC slowly backed away from her.

 

"I love you." she cried as she began to walk back towards him. JC pushed her hands away, but she didn’t relent in her pursuit to make him understand. He grabbed her wrists in his hands to keep her from touching him and looked away from her to avoid any eye contact. He eventually let go of her wrists as she placed her hands on each side of his face trying to get him to look at her. He looked down as she continued to speak. "I love you...And I know you love me too. I would never do anything to hurt you. I want to hear you say that you don't love me, JC. Cause if you do, then I won't bother you ever again." she said, taking off her wedding ring and placing it in his hands.

 

Laura moved her face in closer towards his. "Just tell me now, and I will get out of your life." she said as she slowly kissed his cheek.

 

JC looked up into her eyes and they both stared at one another for a brief moment before he calmly stated matter-of-factly, "My mother was right...I don't love you." He quickly leaned down and grabbed his bag and walked out the door.

 

The words hit Laura like a bullet to the stomach. She doubled over in pain as she fell to the floor and began to sob uncontrollably.

 

~~~~~

 

"Ma'am? Would you like a pillow and a blanket before we take off?"

 

"No thank you. But could you please possibly get me a drink?"

 

"Sure. What would you like?"

 

"I would like a-" Laura stopped in mid sentence as she saw JC boarding the plane.

 

They both made eye contact. JC rolled his eyes and slowly walked towards her looking down at his ticket to see where he was sitting.

 

"On second thought, is there any way that I can sit somewhere else?"

 

"I'm sorry ma'am, the entire flight is full. We would have to wait until all the passengers are here and ask if anyone would be kind enough to switch with you." The stewardess turned around and saw JC approaching.  "Oh, Good morning, Mr. Chasez. It's good to see you again." The stewardess said as she moved out of the way so JC could take his seat.

 

JC recognized her from his flight into Philadelphia and slightly smiled before putting his bags in the overhead compartment. He overheard Laura talking to the stewardess about her seat change. He looked around and noticed that alot of people were staring at him and whispering to one another. He knew that if she changed seats he would be at risk of sitting with someone who wouldn't let him get a moments rest until they got an autograph for everyone in their family.  "You don't have to move. I think we can get through two hours together, Laura."

 

The stewardess was surprised that they knew each other. She looked down and noticed that the same notebook JC had been reading a few days before was the same one Laura had been writing in. Her curiosity was peaked.

 

"Did you still want that drink?"

 

"Yes. One..No…Two of those little bottles of vodka would be fine. And a sprite also."

 

JC inched past Laura to the window seat and fastened his belt.

 

"Anything for you?"

 

"Just a pair of headphones like last time. I need to get some sleep." he smiled to her.

 

Laura was under the impression JC wanted to talk to her when he told her she didn't have to move, but soon figured out why when a lady and her two teenage daughters walked by and suddenly stopped when they saw him. JC smiled and talked to them briefly and signed his name on a couple napkins for them before the stewardess came over and instructed the ladies that they needed to take their seats.

 

Neither of them spoke a word to one another during the flight. JC grabbed the airplane phone in the compartment and pulled out his credit card to make a call. "Hey...It's me...No, I'm on my way back now. I should be home in the next couple hours or so."

 

Laura could hear him talking and watched him through the corner of her eye.

 

"When will you be back in town? I want to get together and talk. There's alot I need to tell you...About us...I also want to see the baby." JC continued his conversation.

 

He looked over at Laura every few moments to see if she was listening. Laura was writing in her notebook and seemed to be busy in her own thoughts. In actuality she was writing a bunch of garble to make it look like she were not interested in what he was doing. She knew he was talking to Rachel and she had to try and focus on something else to keep herself from crying. She called over the stewardess and asked her for a pair of headphones. She needed to block out his voice. The stewardess returned with the headphones and Laura placed them over her ears and adjusted the sound so that she could only hear the music.

 

 

After his conversation was over, he leaned his chair back and put his headphones back on and closed his eyes and listened to the music. JC was awaken by a familiar tune playing. His eyes lit up as he listened to the song. He recognized the group was Jagged Edge and soon realized it was so familiar because it was a remake of an old Air Supply song, "All Out Of Love". He smiled to himself at how good the old hit sounded. He glanced over at Laura and could see her staring straight ahead. He noticed the tears falling down her cheeks and his smile faded. He pretended to sleep as he peeped over and saw her wiping the tears from her eyes. She sat there listening to the music playing through the headphones and thought of JC as she listened to the lyrics.

 

I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you

I know you were right, believing for so long

I'm all out of love, what am I without you

I can't be too late to say that I was so wrong......

 

When they arrived in Florida, Laura and JC went their separate ways through the terminal. Once they were outside, they both began to hail down a cab. JC flagged one down first and proceeded to get in. He told the driver where he wanted to go and sat back and looked out the window towards Laura who was struggling to get a taxi of her own. JC took a deep breath and told the driver to pull up to where she was standing. She stood there and was about to walk over until she saw JC. "You comin' or not?" he asked as he rolled down his window. Laura walked over and got into the cab. "She's going to the same place." JC told the driver.

 

The drive home was long and silent. JC looked straight ahead the entire drive. Laura wanted to say something to him, but knew she was better off leaving him alone. When they reached her house she slowly opened her door and started to get out. She leaned in and got her bag and looked towards JC and said, "We'll need to meet soon to get everything situated, so that things are taken care of swiftly and not drawn out too long."

 

JC looked towards her and nodded before turning his gaze back out the opposite window. Laura shut the door and watched as the car drove off around the corner. She picked up her bag and walked up to the door. She took the mail from the mailbox and slowly entered her house. Laura dropped her bag by the door and went and laid on the couch. She stared up at the ceiling trying to figure out what she should do next. She decided to try and forget about her troubles for one day and just use the day to sleep away her sorrows. She leafed through her mail and noticed a card from Hallie. She smiled as she opened it. Her smile soon faded when she saw the card. It had two wine glasses on the cover. She opened it up and saw a special message from her friend:

 

Hey girl,

Sorry this is late, but you didn't give me much notice...j/k. Call me when you get this. Don't laugh at my poem I wrote either. It took me forever to write. =o).

Your best bud,

Hallie

 

~~~~~~~

 

Marriage Doesn't Come Flat Pack

 

Marriage is not an impulse buy.

Like buying flat pack furniture from a life style store.

It’s not something you get to impress your friends,

Because Cosmo said it’s of the latest trends.

It’s not cherry veneer on MDF, with castors and handles to match.

Something you can wheel around with the flick of a catch.

 

It’s more like that old sideboard in the corner supporting the wall.

It has a drawer for odd things like string, hooks, fuses and tape.

Another for old photos, pictures and things that have meaning.

It has solid feet and blocks to prevent it from leaning.

There’s a place underneath for your favorite shoes.

And a nook to store things you don’t want to lose.

 

There’s plenty of space for things you have been given.

That cake stand, decanter, teapot; things best kept hidden.

All the things you can’t use yet.

And the things you have shared since you first met.

There is room at the back for games, toys and prizes,

To amuse children of all shapes and sizes.

 

It’s not held together with clever catches and odd shaped screws.

It has dovetail joints stuck with care and old fashioned glue.

It’s solid and warm with coffee ring stains and edges that don’t catch.

It’s totally unique. No others to match.

It has a familiar bees wax smell,

And you know that it will serve you both well.

 

This thing is BIG.

It can take knocks and scrapes and the odd small explosion.

It can be mended and fixed with care and devotion.

You may decide to have it restored,

A coat of French polish and new liners for drawers.

Hopefully, an occasional rub down is all that’s required…..

 

You can cover it in chintz, velvet or paint.

It can be kitsch, cheesy, tasteful or quaint.

The point is that it’s yours’ to change.

It doesn’t have to fit with the latest range.

It can be grand, outrageous, fun or tame,

Because it’s built on a hardwood frame.

 

This piece has no price tag. It’s not on a list and can’t be bought in a sale.

There’s no receipt, it can’t go back to the shop or be sold.

It doesn’t come in flat pack with a plan and some packing.

It may end up battered, tired and lacking.

But it’s yours. Yours alone. Don’t be tempted to chuck it into a skip,

Because fashion dictates that sideboards aren’t hip.

 

Laura let the tears stream down her face as she finished reading the card. She reached over and grabbed the phone and dialed Hallie's number.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hallie?" she said between sobs.

 

"Laura? What's wrong?"

 

"Can you come to Florida? I need you. I'll book the flight and everything...I don't care. Please just come." she cried.

Chapter 46 by DesperateThoughts

"You didn’t get a chance to explain everything to him?" Hallie asked as she pet her friends head. Laura laid on her friends lap and looked towards the window.

 

"No...He was trying to bolt out the door. I don't know what the hell she told him. He kept acting as if he was told that Nikolas was his son...But Rachel told me she wasn't sure."

 

"Speaking of the devil...Has Satin talked to you yet?"

 

"No. She is still in Philly on some TV & radio interviews. I guess she used the trip to her careers' advantage."

 

"Do you think she knows about the wedding?"

 

"I don't know. And at this point I could care less."

 

The telephone began to ring. Hallie reached over and answered the phone.

 

"Hello? No she isn't available right now, may I take a message?"

 

Laura sat up and looked at Hallie as she continued to speak. "Yes...uh huh...Okay...Yep...I'll let her know. Thanks."

 

"Who was it?" Laura asked as Hallie hung up the phone.

 

"Jerry's secretary. She was calling to let you know they need to see some of the songs you and JC have written so far. They want to get an idea of what direction the album is going in...It's for the marketing team? I'm sorry, I don't know anything about all this music shit."

 

Laura chuckled as she sat up and stretched her muscles. "You got it right."

 

"Speaking of Jerry and this whole other side that you have to think about…What are you going to do about this deal?"

 

Laura stopped in mid stretch and picked up a magazine. "I don’t know what I want to do just yet."

 

Laura grabbed the remote and turned on the stereo. "There is so much on my mind. I just can’t deal with that right now."

 

"You are gong to have to soon, sweetie. But tonight lets just not think about it. Let’s go out…Show me around town. I’m only here a few more days. Lets hit a movie or something…Get our minds off of things.  Let's go to the bar and get fucked up!"

 

Laura didn’t really feel like going anywhere, but agreed.

 

"Good now hurry and get dressed so we can go. And take two showers…You’re my girl and all, but quite frankly…You stink." she joked.

 

Laura threw the magazine at her as she got up and walked out of the room to change.

 

Three days later Hallie had Laura drive her to the airport. She helped Hallie with her bags and gave her a long hug goodbye. Hallie handed her a note and told her not to read it till she got home. Laura agreed and thanked her. She hugged her one last time before getting in her car and heading back home. As she pulled up into her driveway she noticed a car there. As she walked up to her front door she saw JC’s mom standing outside. "Mrs. Chasez?"

 

JC's mom grabbed her chest in fright and yelled, "Oh good Lord, Laura! You startled me."

 

"My apologies." She said as she pulled out her keys. "What can I do for you?"

 

Laura never smiled at her. She hardly even looked at her. JC's mom found it strange but shrugged it off and continued to speak. "I came over to drop off a few books with cake ideas. I was trying to put them in your mailbox."

 

Laura stopped turning the lock on the front door and slowly turned around to face Mrs. Chasez. "JC didn’t tell you?"

 

"Tell me what, Dear?"

 

"We’re no longer together, Mrs. Chasez."

 

Karen was confused. "What?" She let her arm drop down to her side and said, "Oh Lord, I’ve been so busy lately that I haven’t talked to or seen, JC. I assumed that he was still in Philadelphia with you."

 

"We’ve been back for a while. I haven’t spoken to him in over a week." she said as she crossed her arms.

 

Mrs. Chasez wanted to ask what happened but could see that Laura didn’t look like she wanted to talk. "Laura, are you sure this just isn’t a temporary thing? JC really cares for you and I know you feel the same."

 

Laura rolled her eyes and said, "Well, you of all people should know why. He said you were right about him not loving me?" Tears began to fill Laura’s eyes as she turned the knob.

 

"Laura, I didn’t-" His mom tried to defend herself but was soon cut off.

 

"Mrs. Chasez, please. I have always thought of you as the type of mother that I had always wished for myself when I was younger…I don’t want to say anything to you that I will regret later on, because I still consider you to more of a mother to me than mine ever was...So if you don’t mind, I will just have to tell you to talk to you son about everything. Goodnight."

 

 Laura slowly closed the door and let the tears stream down her face. Mrs. Chasez stood outside the door still in shock. She turned around and got into her car and headed for JC’s.

 

DING DONG…DING DONG…DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG

 

"What the fuck?!" JC yelled to himself as he kicked the covers off his body and got up to answer the door. "What do you want?!" he yelled as he opened the door. His eyes adjusted to the light and he noticed his mother standing there staring at him.  "Oh…Sorry, Mom. I didn’t know it was you. I thought you were one of the guys."

 

She nodded at him as she adjusted her purse on her arm. "Are you going to stand in the doorway with your boxers and undershirt on and talk to me or are you going to invite me in?"

 

"Sorry." He said as he moved to the side to let her pass.

 

"You okay, Ma? You look a little pale." JC asked as he felt his mother's forehead.

 

She pushed his hand away. "When did you get back from Philadelphia?"

 

"Last week or so. Why?" he said as he walked towards the kitchen. She followed behind him. "You didn’t call me."

 

"I’ve been really busy…With the album and stuff." he paused.

 

"Oh yeah?"

 

"Yep. Have a deadline to make." he said as he grabbed some juice out of the fridge and asked her if she wanted any.

 

She shook her head and went on with her investigation. "How’s Laura doing? I wanted to give her these catering books with wedding cake ideas in them."

 

JC stopped pouring juice and turned around to see the books. "Oh...Well, you can leave them here if you want. I’ll give them to her."

 

"Well I was going to take them over there myself. I wanted to talk to her about her dress too."

 

"I’m sure she is probably too busy to look at it tonight mom." He said.

 

"Oh yeah?" she asked as she sat down at the table. JC sat across from his mother at the table. "Yeah. We're working hard on this thing."

 

"Right…" she nodded. "What other lies are you going to spout off at me next, Joshua? I just went over there to give them to her and she told me that you two were not together anymore."

 

"She did?" he asked with a puzzled look on his face.

 

Mrs. Chasez smacked his hand. "Yes!! When were you going to tell me? What the hell happened!?"

 

JC grabbed his hand and tried to rub away the pain. "Look now! She kept a very big secret from me!"

 

"What kind of secret?"

 

JC stopped rubbing his hand and looked down towards the floor. "I don't want to talk about it. Let's just say it was big enough to make me reconsider our future together. So there is no need for you to tell me that you told me so. I already know."

 

His mother reached over to grab his hand and squeezed it.  JC sat down at the table and let his head fall into his hands. His mother walked over to him and rubbed his back gently. "You are a grown man now.  I need to learn to stop meddling and let you live your life."  Mrs. Chasez ruffled his hair and pushed it back gently. "Well you still never told me what happened to her mother...Is she okay?"

 

"Broken leg...But the woman was treacherous, Mom!" JC went on to explain the events that

occurred with Laura's mother. Mrs. Chasez sat there in silence when he was done.

 

"You okay, Ma?"

 

"Yeah...It's just something that Laura said to me before she went into the house today. I never knew she had to grow up like that. She stood there and said I was more of a mother to her than her own mother was. I didn't understand it till just now. I feel so bad." she said as tears started to form in her eyes.

 

"Don't."

 

"Well I do. I don't care what she may have done to you. She has never hurt me. What is going on between the two of you is your business." She sat there thinking about what she just said and chuckled.  "I'm a complete hypocrite."

 

"Oh mom, if you only knew."

 

"Well considering the fact that you won't tell me, I will stick with what I just said." His mother leaned up and hugged him. "Whatever it is...You will get through it." she said as she rubbed his back.

 

JC hugged his mother tightly before walking her to the door. As he walked down the hallway back to his bedroom he glanced out the window towards Laura's backyard. Just as he was looking he could see Laura upstairs on her balcony shaking out a small rug. He watched her closely and wondered what she was thinking. As if on cue she stopped and looked down towards the part of the house JC was standing in. He quickly jumped back as she continued to look.

'That's strange. She can't see me through the tinted glass here.' he thought to himself. JC shrugged off the thought and headed to his room to sleep the rest of the afternoon away.

Chapter 47 by DesperateThoughts

A week later Jerry and Rachel finally returned from Philadelphia. Laura made an appointment to go and see him alone without JC. When she arrived at his office she noticed that Jerry seemed sad and was oddly quiet. He looked like he hadn't shaved in almost a week and didn't seem to care that his shirt didn't match his suit.

 

"How you doing, Jerry?" she asked as she walked over to the chair.

 

Jerry stood up slowly to greet her and motioned for her to take a seat as he said, "I'm doing just about as well as you are, Laura."

 

"What do you mean?" she asked. Laura didn't know if Jerry knew what had happened or not.

 

"I'm stressed out. I'm sure she has told you by now. Rachel left me. She took Nikolas with her. She told me that he wasn't my son." he said lowly as he moved papers around on his desk to keep from showing any emotion.

 

"I haven't spoken to her...I'm sorry, Jerry."

 

"It's not your fault. I'm sure if you knew, you would have never told me anyway...Seeing that you and her are like sisters."

 

"More like enemies now." she said under her breath as she looked down.

 

"What did you say?"

 

Laura didn't know she had said it so loudly. "Ummm...I asked what are you going to do now?"

 

"I'll just sit and hope that she will come to her senses and return to me before I have to get a lawyer involved."

 

Laura didn't want to discuss it any further. She knew that if he were to keep talking about it, she would tell him everything. "Well I hope everything works out with that, Jer."

 

"Well I know you didn't come in here to listen to me talk about my personal problems...What's up? Got us some music to listen to yet?"

 

"Yes and no."

 

"Huh?"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Is Mr. Emerson in his office? I brought over some samples for him to listen to for the album."

 

"Yes, he is here, Mr. Chasez. But he's in a meeting right now. Do you mind waiting a few moments?"

 

"No problem." JC went and sat down on the couch and started to read a magazine. Fifteen minutes later the door opened. He lifted his eyes from a book and could see Laura walking out. She saw him and stopped in her tracks.  They shared a brief glance.  She opened her mouth to speak, but shook her head before turning and heading towards the elevators. JC's eyes followed her. He stared at her back until he was interrupted by a voice behind him.

 

"Mr. Chasez? Jerry will see you now."

 

JC cleared his throat and took a deep breath before entering the office. "Look Jerry, before you say anything. I know that there is a great deal going on with Rachel, the baby, and this album. We are both unknowing parties in this and I don't want it to become a vicious battle between us. Business is business and I want to be professional about this and keep the two separate. I brought over my half of the music to let you take a look at." JC stood there waiting for a response.

 

Jerry was very calm as he sat up in his chair and folded his hands on his desk. "There's no need, JC. Laura is walking out on the project."

 

"What? Why?"

 

"She would only tell me that it was too much for her to deal with right now. But don't worry. You're off the hook."

 

"Off the hook for what?" he asked.

 

"The lawsuit"

 

JC's heart started to beat faster. "Lawsuit?"

 

Jerry nodded and said, "Yes. The one the company is going to slap her with for breach of contract."

 

"Yeah, I figured you would do something like that." JC said as he brought his hands up and ran them through his hair trying to think.

 

"Look! It isn't me who is going to do it. The company is going to as soon as they find out. I tried everything I could to get her to stay on. She doesn't seem to care that she is going to be sued for millions of dollars."

 

JC sat on the edge of the couch and tapped his leg trying to come up with an idea. "There is no way to get around this?"

 

"Not unless she changes her mind within the next 24 hours. I have a meeting tomorrow morning at 10am about this album. She read and signed the contract. If I walk in there and tell them that she backed out, they will sue her. Plain and simple."

 

"Give me until tomorrow. I'll see what I can do."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Laura laid on the couch cuddled up under a blanket as she watched television. She could hear the door bell ringing, but continued to ignore it. After the 5th ring Laura was pissed off enough to want to find out who it was and tell them off. Wearing a pair of red flannel pajama bottoms and a white sports bra, she walked up to the door and opened it. She didn't see anyone there. As she stuck her head out the door she saw Buddy running towards her. She knelt down to grab the dog.

 

"Buddy, no!" a voice yelled.

 

Laura stood up with the dog in her arms and she pet him.

 

"I'm sorry about that." JC said as he walked up and reached his hand out for the dog. Laura handed Buddy to him.

 

Not happy at all to see him, she crossed her arms and asked, "What are you doing here?"

 

"I was walking Buddy and he kept pulling me towards your house. He wanted to see you."

 

"Oh." Laura stood in the doorway waiting on JC to leave. Both stood silently. "Did you need anything else, JC?"

 

JC was about to speak, but Laura cut him off at the pass. "That reminds me. I have to give you something." She motioned for him to come inside. He stood in the hallway and waited for her to return. She came back dragging a large box across the floor. She pushed it towards the door and stood up trying to catch her breath. "All that stuff is yours. There are CD's, clothes, sheet music, some of the Buddys' toys, audio equipement, etc. If I find anything else I will just mail it to you."

 

"Laura."

 

She looked around seeing if she had missed anything. "Yes JC?"

 

You don't have to do that." he stated as he followed her over to the piano where she was sifting through music.

 

"I don't?" she asked looking up from the open piano stool.

 

"No..." He paused. "You can just place them by my backdoor if you find anything else."

 

Laura was disappointed with his answer. "Back door...Right."

 

"Listen, I really came over here to talk to you about this project." he said as he walked into the living room towards her.

 

"Then you're wasting your time. I'm not doing it anymore." she said as she walked around the room picking up things trying to look busy.

 

"If you don't they will sue you and win."

 

"You won't be involved so what do you care?"

 

"Dammit, Laura!!" he yelled. She stopped and turned around in shock at his anger. He took a long sigh as he sat down on the couch "Laura...I care."

 

A part of Laura wanted to argue with him and another part of her just wanted him to leave her alone. She leaned against the wall on the other side of the room and watched him as he let his elbows rest on his thighs before leaning down and playing with a snow globe that was sitting on the coffee table. "Laura, what's going on between us has nothing to do with this project. I would have hoped that you would have been professional about it."

 

"That's what I am trying to be, JC. I can't work with you. I can't be in the same room with you and not think about us. I can't sit there and not remember the way your skin feels up against mine, the way your mouth feels on my lips, the way your touch sends me someplace I have never been before. And I also can't sit there and think about how cold your eyes were the night you walked out on me. I can't think about how you don't trust or love me anymore."

 

JC could see the tears forming in her eyes and could hear her emotions catching in her throat. "Look...Let's not go there right now. You can't tell me that you are just going to walk out on the deal that fast, Laura?" She pushed herself off the wall and walked towards the stereo and said, "Why not? You walked out on me that fast. Why can't I do the same?"

 

"Those are two totally different things, Laura, and you know it."

 

"Do I? I don't see how they are different. I can't do it anymore. I can't deal. I'm not going to sit there and have you in the same mess, so I did what I had to do." She grabbed her notebook and sat on the opposite couch. She pointed the remote at the stereo and threw it aside. Music began to softly play through the speakers.

 

"This is your dream, Laura. This is what you have wanted for a very long time. I don't care what is going on between you and I. I wouldn't let anyone stand in the way of my dreams." JC watched her as she began to write. He got up and walked over and sat next to her on the couch. Laura backed away slightly.  "You shouldn't let me or anyone else make you not want to fulfill that dream. We can come up with a plan if need be, but I don't think that giving up is what you want to do."

 

Laura wanted to smack him, and shake him until he understood, but she knew JC would continue until he won the battle. In her heart she knew he was right.

 

"Think about it for a few hours. You only have until 9am tomorrow to change your mind Bab--...Before you are faced with a huge mess."  He watched her on the couch as she pet Buddy. The dog continuously tried to climb up her chest to lick her face. JC sat back and watched her hugging the dog.

 

"He really misses you." JC said as he stared at Laura.

 

She looked up from the dog and locked eyes with him. "I really miss him too." she said as she tried to choke back the tears.

Chapter 48 by DesperateThoughts

The fair had been in town for a couple days and Justin decided to drag Laura out of her house to distract her thoughts for a few hours.

 

"So how long do the two of you have before deadline?" Justin asked as they moved up in line.

 

Laura looked up at him from her bag of cotton candy. "We have two months left."

 

"I'm surprised that you still have the strength to keep working on it."

 

"Well, I hate to admit it, but he is usually right when it comes to things like that." Laura mumbled between bites.

 

"You think you can make it?"

 

"I hope so. It got pushed back two more months for marketing reasons, so in their eyes it should be plenty of time for us to come up with perfection."

 

 Justin and Laura got on the bumper cars and gave chase to one another. They both were laughing as they stepped out of the ride. When they turned around the mood suddenly changed as they spotted JC. Rachel was pushing a stroller with Buddy sitting inside. JC was walking next to her with Nikolas in his left arm and a large stuffed animal in his right. Justin could see how uncomfortable Laura was becoming. She went to turn around and go in the opposite direction, but Justin grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly. 

 

"Hey, Justin...Laura." He nodded towards her.

 

"Yo man. What's up?"

 

"Same as you, checking out the fair."

 

"Hi Laura." Rachel waved. Justin and JC continued to talk. Both were trying their best to keep up a conversation as they watched Laura and Rachel speak for the first time since everything happened. Laura snapped out of her gaze and cleared her throat slightly. "Hey, Rachel."

 

"I haven't seen you in a while. It's been almost two months!" Rachel leaned down and hugged Laura tightly. Laura was caught off guard by the hug and simply stood there with her arms at her side.

 

"I've been busy with a lot of things, since I got back from visiting my mother."

 

"Yeah I never see you at home these days...But I know the feeling, girl. We need to hook up one day and have lunch or something. Nikky misses his auntie." she said as she watched Laura put her finger up towards Nikolas who wrapped his small digits around it tightly and began to giggle. "We need to do some catching up."

 

Laura slowly pulled her hand away and waved towards the baby. "Umm...Yeah...That'd be nice. We'll have to see what our schedules are like." she replied as she looked towards JC.

 

Rachel pulled JC's arm down slightly so she could wipe the drool away from the baby's mouth. "Yeah I know. Me and JC have been rampant lately. It's hard for us to get a moments peace."

 

Laura watched the three of them and a million thoughts raced around in her head. She could feel the emotions piling up in her chest and needed to escape.  She needed to be anywhere by there.  Justin could see her discomfort and decided to step in. He grabbed her hand and looked down at her watch and said, "Damn Laura, is it 3:15 already? We better hurry up before we miss the tiger show."

 

"Yeah, we better get going too. He needs a nap." JC said. He tried to look into Laura's eyes as she was stepping away.

 

"We'll see you guys later!" Rachel called after them. Justin waved to her as he went to catch up with Laura who had started walking away without him. JC watched them closely and saw Justin take her hand tightly in his as they walked towards the other side of the fair. He  quickly stopped and handed Laura his stuffed bear and picked her up. She was startled and wrapped her arms around his neck for support as he swung her around cradled in his arms.

 

"Awwww...Don't they look cute together?" she asked as she patted JC's back and leaned up and lightly kissed Nikky's cheek.

 

"I doubt they are together." he answered dryly.

 

"What are you talking about? Just look at them..." Rachel pointed out. She watched them briefly and turned around and smirked towards JC. "Then again I guess you would say something like that. You're always trying to protect her."

 

"...Right." he agreed as he slowly turned around and lifted Nikolas in the air and swung him around like an airplane as they walked towards the parking lot.

 

"Justin please put me down! I'm getting dizzy and nauseous!" Laura yelled and she tried to shut her eyes even tighter. He almost dropped her in his attempt to remove himself from the line of fire.

 

"Damn!" she laughed as she tried to regain her balance.

 

"You okay?"

 

"I'm okay now that you put me down."

 

Justin rolled his eyes and punched her lightly on the arm. "I didn't mean that. I meant with seeing them here...Together."

 

Laura turned around to see if there were anywhere in sight. After finally looking over at Justin, she said, "No, but I will be...Thanks for the save."

 

"Anytime...So she doesn't know that the two of you are---"

 

"No she doesn't know."  Laura cut him off before he could say it.

 

"Have you thought about what you are going to do about that?"

 

"I have to go and see my lawyer this week about it. I'm hoping we can annul it so that there will never be any existence of of the fact."

 

"Well a lawyer can't brainwash you, Laura..." Justin immediately stopped. Laura looked back and noticed him standing there thinking. With his hand on his chin he looked over at her and said, "Wait...I take that back. For the right price they could do anything."

 

Laura pushed her body into his. Justin wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer to him as they made their way towards his car. He opened her door for her and walked around the other side to get in. He sat there staring straight ahead. Laura looked at him trying to figure out why he hadn't started the car yet.

 

"Do you want to go home or do something else?" he asked.

 

She thought about it for a moment and then asked, "Do you have anything to do today?"

 

"Nope. I'm all yours."

 

"Can we go back to that park you took me to that night? I just don't want to go home right now."

 

"Sure." he said as he started the car.

 

As they drove to the park, Justin wanted to know why Laura hadn't taken Rachel by her hair and pounded her face into the pavement by now.  Laura wanted to but knew nothing good would come out of fighting with her friend.  There'd be no point in trying to tell her and she and JC were married now…Especially since that would be a thing of the past fairly soon.  Laura knew that if Rachel wanted to resort to lying to win JC back, and he was dumb enough to believe her, then they could have each other.  Justin turned into the park and slowly drove down the dirt road.  Laura rested her head against the window as she watched the cards passing them by.  She was tired.  Tired of fighting all the time.  She'd been fighting all her life.  Fighting for her mother's love and affection, fighting for a chance in the business, fighting for respect, people's trust, and now for love?  No one should have to fight for someone else's heart.  It's either theirs to have or it isn't.

 

Justin pulled into an empty spot and turned off the car and turned his body towards her. "You don't think he loves you?"

 

"I just don't know anymore." she said as she opened her door and got out. He opened the trunk and grabbed a blanket and followed her to the spot they had been to before. Once he caught up with her, he could see her huddled in a ball on the grass and shivering slightly. He wrapped the blanket around his body and extended his arm out to wrap her inside it with him. She slowly looked over at him and smiled as she let her head rest on his shoulder. "I want to believe that he loves me, Justin. But everything I see is telling me otherwise."

 

"And what exactly is it that you see?"

 

"I see a man and a woman, baby, and dog strolling through the fair like a happy family. I see how content they look and what I don't see is him attempting to have anything to do with me...I don't see anything that includes me anywhere in that picture."

 

Laura looked up towards the sky as she continued to speak softly. "We have it planned out so that we don't even need to see each other until the very last moment to finish this album. He does his parts alone and I do mine...Alone. Does that point to any faint interest whatsoever in me?"

 

"It could mean that he still loves you and is scared and confused, Laura."

 

"Yeah, well it could also mean that he hates me. You should have seen the look in his eyes that night in the hotel room, Justin." He could see tears forming in her eyes and did not want to upset her even more. He decided to not speak about it any longer. He was just glad to be able to spend time with her. He didn't want to ruin the rest of the evening. They sat there quietly just looking up at the sky and watching a group of kids playing baseball in a nearby field.

 

When it turned dark they both decided to call it a night and head back home. Once there, Justin walked Laura to her front door. As she thanked him he lightly pushed the side of Laura's head. "It was my pleasure."

 

She started to close the door and Justin called after her. "Do me a favor?"

 

"Sure. What?" she asked.

 

"....Quit analyzing everything. Things will work out. You just have to give it time."

 

Laura smiled. "I'll try, Justin."

 

"Just remember...Things aren't always what they seem." he said quickly as he turned and walked away.

 

Laura slowly closed the door and headed towards her bedroom wondering if Justin knew something that she didn't.

Chapter 49 by DesperateThoughts

"When are you going to tell your mother, JC?" Rachel yelled into the room as she was taking a bubble bath.

 

"When I find out if the kid is mine or not." he mumbled to himself as he sat on the bed looking through paperwork.

 

Rachel stopped playing in the water to hear him. "Huh?"

 

"Soon." he yelled back.

 

"Well the sooner the better don't you think? I don't want her to be too upset with you for not telling her."

 

JC looked towards the bathroom in shock and rolled his eyes. Rachel asked him to turn on the music so she could listen to it while she was taking a bath. JC grabbed the remote and pressed the play button. The sounds of smooth jazz could be heard throughout the bedroom. He leaned sideways and looked to see what Rachel was doing. He could see the door opened halfway and her sitting in the tub gliding a large sponge across her arms. He sat up straight and looked towards the telephone. He went to pick it up but stopped himself. He slowly ran his hands over his mouth and down his chin and finally gathered up the strength to make a call.

 

"Hello?"

 

"I didn't think you were going to be home yet."

 

"Me either. But I had to work on some music."

 

JC smiled and rested his free hand under his armpit as he continued to speak. "Oh yeah? Which one?"

 

"Well...It's seperate from our project." she explained.

 

Hurt by her secrecy JC sarcastically said, "Oookay."

 

Laura rolled her eyes. "What did you need, JC?"

 

"I uh....I just ummm...I wanted to know if we could get together and work on that song that you were writing."

 

"Which one?" she asked.

 

"The duet we had been working on a long time ago."

 

Laura remembered back. The last time she had worked on it was with JC in the studio of his house before they made love. "Umm...Sure. If you want to."

 

JC smiled as he played with the piece of string that was hanging from his boxers. "I want to."

 

"When?"

 

"About an hour...But if its too late, I'll understand."

 

Laura could hear a voice yelling in the background, "JC? Can you come wash my back please?"

 

He struggled to cover the phone with his hand, but it was too late.  "Well it sounds to me like you are going to be busy tonight. Maybe some other time, JC. I really need to get back to work. I'll send over what I have later. Goodnight." Laura quickly hung up.

 

JC sat there with the receiver on his ear still trying to catch up with what had just happened. He soon heard a busy signal in and finally hung up the phone. He got up slowly and walked towards the bathroom. He punched and kicked at the air in frustration as he neared the doorway. He stopped and took a deep breath and plastered a smile on his face as he turned to corner to go inside.

 

He walked in and could see Rachel standing there naked. Foamy bubbles were running down her body. She looked over and smiled at him as she poured two glasses and outstretched the second glass to him.

 

Taking the glass from her he asked "What is it?"

 

"Godiva, it's a chocolate liqueur"

 

He brought the glass to his lips, inhaling then tasting it. "Interesting combination, sweet chocolate and intoxicating."

 

"Yes, something like you" she said.

 

It seemed almost in slow motion that she brought her free hand to his face, her fingertips grazing his cheekbone, skimming his lips, and tracing lightly down, over his throat, his collarbone...lower still, gently brushing over his chest through the soft fabric of his t-shirt. He could feel his excitement at being with her once again...Alone.

 

Stepping back, standing and staring at her for a long time, he was quiet, seemingly thinking. This shouldn't be happening. He cleared his throat, turned around, walked over to the toilet flipped down the lid and sat down. "This isn't right." he seemed to be in a trance talking to himself more than her.

 

He seemed to be battling within himself about what he should or shouldn't do. She walked over to him and straddled his legs as she lowered herself to his lap. No matter what he was saying, he was incredibly interested, and she could feel the proof between her thighs, pressing against her crotch. He went to push her away, but before he could, she ground herself against the bulge in his boxers. He seemed to stop breathing for a minute. His eyes were closed and he was gasping for air.

 

She leaned forward and whispered into his ear. "I want you so bad. I know you want the same thing. I can feel it." She slid her hand down and started rubbing it against the fabric of his boxers teasing his cock. She started nibbling on his ear as he groaned. He drew his head back a bit his bottom lip. She ground herself against him again. It felt so damn good, he couldn't possibly expect her to stop now. His hands went from pushing her away, to pulling her closer. His hand slid up to the nape of her neck. Forcing her to look at him.

 

"You do know that this is wrong right?"

 

"What makes it wrong, nothing is wrong when two people succumb to their emotions, giving in to what they are feeling."

 

"You are married to Jerry and I'm..."

 

"That can be changed." Rachel began to kiss his neck. "You're what?"

 

"I'm....I'm under contract with him right now."

 

"JC, I want you so bad right now it hurts!"

 

"Is that so?" His voice had a new ring to it. She couldn't quite describe it but it was different, stern yet teasing.

 

"How bad, Rachel?" he asked, lifting her from his lap. She saw something in those striking, blue eyes. Something...

 

"Extremely bad!" she insisted as she went to kiss him.

 

JC stepped away from her. A smirk crept across his face. "Well, baby. Tonight when you go into your room to sleep, you just keep that in mind. And think back to all those times I had wanted you, and you weren't around." JC placed his hand on his chin and looked up towards the ceiling to think. "Oh yeah that's right. You were too busy cheating on me...With Jerry."

 

JC threw her a towel. "The guest bathroom should be fixed by tomorrow afternoon. I don't understand why you couldn't have used the other 3 bathrooms in the house...Let's make this the last time you use mine." He quickly walked out the door and shut it behind him.

Rachel stood in the middle of the bathroom floor. A devilish grin soon formed on her face as she spoke quietly to herself. "I'll wear you down soon enough." Rachel wrapped the towel around her body and gathered up her things and headed towards the guestroom to finish scheming.

Chapter 50 by DesperateThoughts

"What!? Well, what the fuck is she doing living over there anyway?" Hallie asked.

 

"She left Jerry. She had no where else to go...Or so she told JC. With the whole baby situation, JC wouldn't turn his back on her if she needed a place to stay."

 

"Is he a fuckin moron? This bitch was sleeping with him and Jerry at the same time and he doesn't think to get a paternity test?"

 

"I don't know what is going on over there. I hardly speak to him, Hallie. Joey actually gave me that bit of information when he came over with Justin today." Laura stated.

 

"What else did Joey say?"

 

"He said that Nikolas had been really sick before I went to see about my mother. The doctors couldn't pin point what was wrong with him. So they took blood samples. Well Nikolas has a different blood type than Jerry and Rachel's. They are both blood type O. Nikolas is blood type B."

 

"Damn..."

 

"Exactly...You're a nurse, so you should know." she said matter-of-factly.

 

"Well. it's impossible for two O parents to produce a B child. If Nikolas were Jerry's he would also be an O. I'm sorry, Laura."

 

"Eh...It's cool. I'll live."

 

"Did you talk to your lawyer about the annulment?

 

"yeah...It's so confusing, but basically it can be granted under different circumstances like if one of us never intended to have children, or always intended to have affairs, and other stuff like that. If those apply then it's possible. It can also be dissolved if it is not consummated." she explained to Hallie.

 

"See now if the two of you would have passed out right after the vows, that last one might have worked...But no...You horny bastards just had to sleep together!" Hallie laughed.

 

Laura smiled. "Yeah well after listening to him talk about the annulment process, I think it might be better to just go ahead and get a divorce."

 

"Why?"

 

"The annulment is based solely on what our intentions were on our wedding day. It sometimes takes up to 3 or more months to resolve. I would have the burden of proof, because I am the one filing for it. And we have to go through a million different things like witness statements, testimony, our life histories, and psychological appraisals."

 

Hallie was confused. "Your intentions on your wedding day? What does that mean?"

 

Laura went on to explain. "He gave me examples. Bigamy, marriage under the age of consent, marriage by force, marriage based on fraud, marriage without disclosing sexual impotency, marriage because of a pregnancy, immaturity, lack of true marital commitment, etc. He said annulments have nothing to do with what happened after we got married. It only has to deal with why we got married."

 

"Well none of those apply to you...Unless you lie. Divorce might be your best bet. But then again you both were drunk when you got married. Neither of you remembered even marrying the other till the next morning right?"

 

"I still don't remember that shit!" Laura laughed. "But I'm going to talk to a priest about it today to know for sure if we are able to or not. I'm trying my best to stay away from the D word. Because once it gets out, it's going to be a media frenzy. With the annulment it would dissolve the marriage and treat it as if it had never happened."

 

"On paper only, Laura. But in your heart? It can't dissolve that part of your heart and mind, hun." Hallie said sympathetically.

 

Laura could hear the doorbell and got up from her bed with the cordless on her ear as she went to answer it. "I know. But I don't want any of this to hurt his career." she said as she opened the door to see who it was.

 

"Always worried about him, Laura. What about you? Hello?"

 

"Hello, Rachel." Laura said as she stared at the woman and Nikolas, who was in her arms.

 

"Hey. Can we come in?" she asked.

 

"She's there? Tell that bitch to leave!" Hallie yelled into the phone.

 

Laura moved aside and said, "Sure. Come on in."

 

Rachel carried Nikolas into the living room and sat down on the couch and waited for Laura to join them.

 

"Hallie, let me call you back."

 

"Kick that bitches ass and call me when you're done!"

 

Laura pressed end on the phone and held it tightly in her hands. As she walked into the living room she prayed for strength. They both sat on opposite couches. Rachel placed the baby on the floor and handed him some toys. She turned her body to face Laura and began to speak. "Is there something wrong? Ever since you went to see your mother, you've been staying away and keeping to yourself."

 

"I just have a lot on my plate right now, Rachel."

 

"I'm sorry if I caused trouble between you and JC. I went over to the hotel room that night with the intention of telling him the truth in front of you, but it didn't end up the way I planned."

 

"Rachel, I honestly do not want to talk about it. I don't know what the truth is anymore. One minute you are telling me that you don't know who Nikky's father is and the next minute you are telling JC that Nikolas is his son." She said as she threw her hands up in the air.

 

"Well he is."

 

"You're positive...Beyond a reasonable doubt that JC is Nikolas' father?"

 

 Rachel looked down at her son. "I'm mostly positive." She went on to explain to Laura what Joey had told her earlier about the differing blood types.

 

Laura sat there and pulled gently on the tassels that were hanging off of the throw pillow. "Are you going to take a paternity test?"

 

"Only if JC wants one."

 

Laura looked up at Rachel in dismay. "He hasn't asked for one yet?"

 

"Nope. And we're together every night. Which brings me to the real reason why I'm here."

 

"Which is?" Laura asked as she stood up. She needed to brace herself for whatever was coming next.

 

"I know you are mad at me for telling him that you knew the baby might be his...But he asked and I didn't want to dig us in any deeper. And I am truly sorry, Laura. I don't know what made me bring you into it."

 

Laura walked over to the piano and started repositioning pictures. "In a way I'm glad you told him. It was eating me up inside. I should have told him a long time ago, but my loyalty to you made it impossible. Funny how things happen." she said as she stared at a picture of the three of them together.

 

"What do you mean?" Rachel asked as she watched her slowly turn the picture down on its face so she would not have to look at it.

 

"I was just about to tell him before I had to rush and get the plane tickets...Then I come back and he had found out from you. I guess it was just destined to happen that way."

"I know you probably hate me right now. I didn't know that it would cause problems for you and JC's friendship."

 

Laura didn't want to talk about JC with Rachel.

 

"I shouldn't even be asking you this right now, but I need your help." Rachel said as she grabbed her purse and began to sort through it.

 

"I think I am done helping you out for awhile, Rach."

 

"It's nothing like that Laura."

 

She sat down on the piano stool and asked, "Then what is it?"

 

"JC's been acting ackward lately."

 

"So?" Laura tried to act as though she were not interested.

 

"Anytime we are together he is always staring off into space. Like he is thinking about something...Or someone."

 

She desperately tried to block the thoughts of them together out of her mind but it didn't work. She could see visions of JC and Rachel in his bed making love.

 

"Like last night...I was in the tub and he was on the phone whispering to someone about seeing them that night. I mean when we go to bed I feel as though he is thinking about someone else. Was he dating someone before I moved back in with him?"

 

Laura's mind was overflowing with visions of the two of them in every sexual position imaginable. They were making love in the same bed Laura had spent so many nights with JC in? 'Why is this getting to me?' she thought to herself. 'They used to be together. This is nothing new, Laura. Get a grip!' she thought.

 

Not wanting to lie to Rachel, Laura said, "Well if JC had been seeing someone, I am sure he would have told you."

 

"Yeah, I know. I've found some woman's things in the house. I just would have thought that you would be able to give me an idea of who it might be."

 

"Well my friendship with JC is just like the one I have with you. Whatever is said in confidence between us stays there. No exceptions...Right?"

 

That wasn't the answer Rachel had wanted to hear. "You're right. I just figured since you and I have been friends since diapers you would have told me."

 

"It doesn't matter who I am closer to. If someone tells me something in confidence I am not going to go back and talk about it with the other person. And you know that."

 

"Yeah but it's disturbing to me when I am looking under the bed for my shoe and I find a shoe box that has a thong in it, a tube of lip gloss, and a pair of earrings. All of which do not belong to me." she said as she pulled the items out of her purse.

 

Laura sat there in shock as she looked back at her thong in Rachel's hands. She battled with herself on whether or not she would come out and tell her the truth.

Chapter 51 by DesperateThoughts

Trying her best not to lie, Laura said, "Well I'm sure that whoever those items belong to isn't with him now."

 

"How do you know?"

 

"Well anytime I turn around the two of you are together. So when would he have time to have another woman over at the house without you being there?"

 

Rachel smiled. "I guess you have a point."

 

Laura sat on the floor and began to play with Nikolas as Rachel went on to update her on things going on with Jerry and the divorce.

 

As Rachel was about to tell her about JC, the doorbell rang. Laura went to open it and saw JC standing there. "Hey. I wanted to drop off some sheet music for you to look at. I also wanted to take a look at what you have done so far."

 

"Come in. I'll go and get it."

 

JC began to follow her down the hallway towards the living room. She stopped at the closet and opened it to get out her bag. He watched her as she leafed through it and handed him papers. JC was overcome with emotions when he sniffed the air and could smell the light fragrance of her lotion. He smiled to himself as he looked at her body and remembered back to a time when he held it in his arms. Laura handed him the last paper out of the bag and their thumbs accidentally touched. They both stared at one another while holding on to the paper. JC opened his mouth to speak. "I really need your help with this."

 

Laura was immediately reminded of Rachel's earlier plea for help. She pulled her hand away from his and walked down the hallway. "Let me get the rest for you." she stated. He followed her down the hall and into the living room. He stopped at the doorway when he saw Rachel sitting on the couch. He suddenly became very nervous. She turned around and smiled when she noticed him.

 

"Hey sweetie!"

 

"Hey." he said as he glanced at Rachel briefly and focused his attention towards Laura who was taking music off of the piano.

 

"We were just talking about you." JC's heart began to beat faster and his fingers began to tremble. "Oh were you?"

 

"Yep."

 

"Nothing terrible I hope."

 

"Nope. I was just about to drop the baby off with you so I can go and meet with my attorney about the divorce." Rachel looked down at her watch. "Oh my God. I had no idea the time went by so fast. I need to go right now before I am late."

 

Rachel handed JC the baby's bag and told Laura she would talk to her later. She leaned up and kissed JC on the cheek and headed towards the back door. Laura followed behind her to help with the lock. JC stood and watched them.

 

"Again, Laura. I am sorry about the mess I caused you. I will make this up to you." she hugged Laura and rushed out the door. Laura never hugged her back and stood there stunned as she watched Rachel race through the backyard to JC's house.  Laura slowly walked back into the room and gathered up the rest of the papers. She did everything she could, not to look JC in the eyes. He broke the silence and asked, "Can we work on this tonight?"

 

"I really don't know yet. I have to see if I will have time." she said, never looking up from the piano.

 

"Busy a lot lately I see."

 

"Yeah. Same goes for you." she answered sarcastically as she walked towards him.

 

JC didn't understand what she meant. "I haven't really been busy with much of anything these days."

 

Laura handed him the last of the music. "That's not what I hear."

 

"Well what have you heard?"

 

Laura shook her head and looked away from him. "It's not important, JC. Nikky looks like he is ready for a nap so I think you should get him home before he get's irritable."

 

JC knew that was his cue to leave. He picked up Nikolas and started towards the back door. He stopped and turned his head to speak. "Listen...About what you heard last night on the phone."

 

Laura folded her arms. "You don't have to explain anything to me, JC. We're both adults here. Rachel told me everything. It's none of my business anyway." she said as she walked past him to open the door.

 

He was confused as to what she and Rachel had spoken about before he got there. Before he could ask, Laura said, "Could you please gather up anything that is in your house that belongs to me? I would really like it all back."

 

"Ummm...Okay." he said. "Do you want it tonight?"

 

"Whenever you get a chance." she answered. "She waved goodbye to the baby and slowly closed her back door. She stood there and watched JC and the baby as they disappeared through the fence. Once they were out of sight Laura finally let the tears fall down her face as she dialed Hallie's number to tell her what had happened.

Chapter 52 by DesperateThoughts

A week had gone by and Laura was keeping herself busy by helping Justin out on some of his material and working on her other project. Rachel had been visiting more and more each day. Laura didn't know whether or not it was because Rachel missed her friendship or if she was digging for information.

 

She was dealing with a constant battle each day within herself. How could she hate her? Were they both guilty of the same crime? Were Laura and JC just as bad as Rachel was for keeping secrets?

 

That weekend Justin had invited Laura out for bite to eat. She hadn't told anyone that it was her birthday. No one had mentioned it...Not even JC. She was just too depressed to celebrate. During dinner Justin noticed that something was wrong with her. She had hardly touched her food. When he asked if she was ok she would just smile and nod her head telling him she was fine. After dinner Justin walked Laura to the house. She was feeling very relaxed with the three glasses of wine she had earlier. The night was still young and she invited him in to watch movies. As they entered the house and turned on the lights, Laura was suddenly startled.

 

"SURPRISE!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!" everyone shouted.

 

Laura focused her eyes and could see a large group of people standing around smiling at her. She turned around and looked at Justin who was smiling. "You knew about this?" she asked in shock.

 

He nodded and leaned down and hugged her. "Happy birthday." he said into her ear. Laura kissed him on the cheek and asked, "How did you do this?"

 

"I didn't. Rachel did." he said reluctantly.

 

She turned around and saw Rachel standing there smiling at her. She looked to her left and spotted Hallie walking towards her.

 

"Oh my God!!" Laura screamed as she ran up to Hallie and gave her a big hug.

 

Rachel was a little jealous as she watched her best friend pass her by.

 

"Hallie, I can't believe you are here!"

 

Hallie explained how Rachel sent her a plane ticket to get there. Laura finally turned around and grabbed Rachel's hand and squeezed it. "Thank you for all this." she pointed out. She leaned over and hugged Rachel lightly. Laura still felt uneasy around her friend, but tried her best to show her appreciation.

 

Jennifer Lopez's "Jenny From The Block" began to blast through the speakers. Laura looked over and saw JC leaning against the ledge as he showed Justin where the rest of the cd's were. He looked at her while taking a sip of his drink and lifted his cup towards her. She smiled and nodded. He then went back to talking to Justin.

 

During the party JC's attention was centered on Laura most of the time. Her hair was up with a few spiraled tendrils hanging down her face. He immediately recognized the diamond necklace she had on. He had bought it for her when they first got together and had her name put on it. She had on a white coquet top and a pair of tight low cut jeans with leather strings hanging down the middle of her crotch and a white pair of leather knee high heeled boots. He felt his cock begin to stir as he watched her body and wondered if she had anything on underneath.

 

"Don't let Rachel catch you doing that?"

 

JC snapped out of his gaze and looked towards Justin. "Catch me doing what?" he asked.

 

Justin laughed. "You know what...Staring at Laura like she has something you desperately need."

 

JC looked around to see where Rachel was. He let out a sigh when he spotted her in the kitchen filling up the ice buckets and talking to Lance and Joey who were sitting at the table eating. He took the tiny straw in his drink and began to stir as he looked down into the cup. "I wasn't staring."

 

"Then what would you like to call it, JC?"

 

"I just glanced over to see if she was enjoying the party is all."

 

Justin smiled and shook his head. "Why don't you just kick Rachel out and do the best you can to get your wife back?"

 

JC looked around to see if anyone heard Justin. He nudged him with his elbow. "Watch it, J."

 

"Well that's what she is. Or did you forget that?"

 

"Of course I didn't. I also didn't forget what she did to me. How can you have a relationship when there is no trust or honesty?"

 

Justin knew they were about to start bickering. "It's her birthday so I am not even going to argue with you about this right now, but you need to take a good long look at the situation and do some soul searchin’, dude."

 

Justin got up and walked over to Laura and a group of her friends. JC watched as he interrupted them and asked Laura to dance. She smiled and handed her cup to Hallie. Justin took her hand and pulled her towards the middle of the floor. He wrapped his hands around her lower waist as they both began to dance to the reggae music that was now playing throughout the house.

 

Justin had his knee slightly in between her legs. JC watched as Laura turned her back to Justin and began to sway her arms to the rhythm of the beat. JC set down his drink and folded his arms. He tried not to watch them but found it hard not to. He started tapping his foot in frustration and began to constantly pull at his jeans and fix his shirt. He watched as his friend grabbed the sides of her hips and pulled her back closer to his body. Jealousy and anger started to take over as he watched how close Justin's crotch was to her ass. JC stood up and started to walk towards them when a hand pushed on his chest.

 

"Chill back, man." Chris whispered to him as he removed his hand from JC's chest. "They're only dancing."

 

JC took another glance and noticed Justin sandwiched between Laura and Hallie. He grabbed Chris' drink and gulped it down. His friends eyes widened at the sight. Chris went to speak but JC put his hand up and shook his head from side to side signaling his friend not to say a word.

 

"Oh there you are!" Rachel exclaimed as she walked towards him. "I have been looking for you. Come get out of this corner and dance with me for a bit."

 

The mood suddenly changed. A slow tune had now begun to play. "If I was The One" by Ruff Endz was on. Rachel wrapped her arms around JC's neck and they both began to sway to the music. JC looked over at Laura who was about to go sit down until Justin asked for another dance. She smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck.

 

I see the way he treats you,

I feel the tears you cried,

And it makes me sad, and it makes me mad,

There's nothing I can do baby.

Cause your lover is my best friend,

And I guess that's where they story ends.

So I've gotta try, to keep it inside.

You will never be, never be mine but,

 

If I was the one who was loving you, baby.

The only tears you'd cry would be tears of joy.

And if I was by your side,

You'd never know one lonely night

And if it was my arms you were running to,

I'd give you love in these arms of mine.

If I was the one in your life.

 

Laura looked around at everyone and noticed JC and Rachel close by. She and JC locked eyes and watched each other as they danced.

 

If I could have just one wish,

I'd wish that you were mine,

I would hold you near,

Kiss away those tears.

I'd be so good to you baby.

You're the one I want next to me,

But I guess that's just not meant to be.

He's there in your life,

And he's sharing your nights,

It'll never be, never be right.

 

If I was the one who was loving you, baby.

The only tears you'd cry would be tears of joy.

And if I was by your side,

You'd never know one lonely night

And if it was my arms you were running to,

I'd give you love in these arms of mine.

If I was the one in your life.

 

JC slowly swayed his way closer to Laura and Justin. Her back was now facing him and he did everything he could to get Justin's attention. Justin looked up and saw him dancing with Rachel and gave him a strange look. JC mouthed to him that he wanted to switch partners. Justin took his hand that was wrapped around Laura's back and gave him the okay signal and winked.

 

Yeah, baby.

I wanna reach out and view beside me,

Right here beside me, babe.

Take you in my arms right now,

Scream 'I love you' right out loud.

Some day I pray, that I'll find the strength,

To turn to you and say,

 

If I was the one who was loving you, baby.

The only tears you'd cry would be tears of joy.

And if I was by your side,

You'd never know one lonely night

And if it was my arms you were running to,

I'd give you love in these arms of mine.

If I was the one in your life.....

 

Both JC and Justin slow danced their way towards one another. Justin intentionally made sure that he bumped into Rachel's back.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry, Rach." he said.

 

JC took his cue and said, "Mind if we switch? I haven't gotten a chance to dance with the birthday girl yet." He had already let Rachel go.

 

"Umm....Ok." she responded, obviously caught off guard by the sudden change in partners

.

"Is that okay with you, Laura?" Justin asked looking down at her. She glared at him as she tried to figure out what he was up to. "Yeah, it's fine."

 

Justin took Rachel's hand in his and wrapped his other hand around her back and began to dance with her. JC and Laura stood there momentarily not knowing what to do next. "Time After Time" began to play. He finally gathered up the strength and outstretched his hand for hers. She placed her hand in his as he lifted it up onto his shoulder and wrapped his arms around her back.  "Happy Birthday, Laura."

 

"Thanks, JC."

 

"How's it going so far?"

 

"As good as can be expected under the circumstances."

 

JC didn't know how to respond to her last comment.

 

"How's it going with Rachel and the baby?"

 

"Pretty good." he lied. "They're settling in just fine."

 

"That's nice to hear. She told me about that last week."

 

"About what?"

 

"How it was going to take some time to get back into your old routine...Sexually, I mean. She was saying you seem distant when the two of you are together...As if you are thinking of someone else."

 

JC's head spun around so fast to look at Rachel that he almost caught whiplash. "She said that?"

 

"Yeah. Nothing to be embarrassed about, JC. It happens to the best of us." Laura was clearly drunk and speaking her mind.

 

"What else did she tell you?" he asked as he looked down at her. Laura didn't look up at him. She focused her attention on other couples dancing around them. "Not very much. It was hard to listen at times."

 

"Look, I'm-"

 

"Can we just dance and not talk?" she said as her eyes met his. "I just want to enjoy the song. I at least want to partially enjoy my birthday."

 

"I'm sorry." he said as he looked up towards Justin who was looking for clues as to what was going on. JC just shook his head slightly and closed his eyes. Rachel looked over at Laura and JC and began to feel uneasy.

 

"Something wrong?" Justin asked.

 

"Ummm...No. I think I am just a bit tired from all the running around I did earlier." she responded.

 

"Well I am sure she appreciates it."

 

"You think so?" she asked.

 

"Of course.

 

"I just can't tell these days. She's been very distant."

 

"Laura has a lot going on right now. You just have to give her time to sort through it all. She will come around. What's the deal with you and Jerry?" Justin said trying to take her attention away from JC and Laura.

Chapter 53 by DesperateThoughts

The party started to liven up and things almost seemed like they were back to normal for once. JC and Laura were actually talking more and more. Rachel was also included in conversations that they were all having. It seemed like old times. But so much was going on underneath the surface. JC and Justin would whisper to one another throughout the night. Hallie was keeping a close eye on Laura who was guzzling down alcohol as if it were water. Every now and then she would have to interrupt Laura to keep her from saying something she would regret the next morning.

 

As the party died down and people were beginning to leave, Rachel and Hallie began to clean up. JC walked over to Rachel in the kitchen and said, "Hey, you worked so hard to get this party together today. I know you're tired. Why don't you let me and Justin finish up here? You need your rest."

 

"Are you sure?" she asked.

 

"Yes. It's the least we can do after everything that you have done."

 

"Okay." she said as she placed down the trash bag and wiped her hands. Rachel walked into the living room to say goodnight to Laura who was lying on the couch. "I'm going to get going. I hope you enjoyed your party."

 

Laura looked up from the pillow that was covering her face. "Yeah, it was great, Rach. Thanks so much."

 

"You're welcome. You are going to have a hell of a hangover tomorrow, girl." she joked.

 

Laura gave her a thumps up as she covered her face with the pillow. Rachel went around and said goodnight to Hallie and Justin who were placing the cd's back into the cabinet. She then walked over to JC and started to talk to him before she left.

 

Laura started to feel queasy and slowly sat up to let the feeling subside. She let her head fall to the back of the couch as she looked up at the ceiling. She then turned her head to the side to see who was still in her house. She noticed Rachel hugging JC at the back door. Laura turned her head away in disgust. JC watched as Rachel disappeared through the backyard.

 

Once she was out of sight he looked towards Justin and gave him a signal. Justin then looked towards Hallie and asked, "Can you give me a ride home? I came here with Joey and he left earlier, so now I'm stranded."

 

"I don't have a car."

 

"Can't you use Laura's?" he asked.

 

"Yeah she can use it." Laura chimed in. Hallie and Justin looked towards Laura and saw her body hanging halfway off the arm of the couch. "The keys are over there." she slurred as she pointed towards the stand in the hallway.

 

"Good Lord, Laura. Let's get you to bed." Hallie said as she walked towards her friend to help her up. JC rushed over and stopped her. "Don't worry about it. I'll help her." he said.

 

Hallie looked at him quizzically and then over at Justin. "Sure...Come on, Justin."

 

JC walked them out and locked the door. He shut the blinds and began to clean the kitchen. He took Laura a cup of tea and gathered up more used cups and plates.

 

"Can you please sit for a minute. You're making me dizzy with all this walking back and forth." she stated as she put her hand on her head.

 

"Feeling ok?"

 

"Starting to get a headache."

 

"Well I was surprised you lasted as long as you did. You were putting them back like a champ."

 

"You still love her?" she asked in a whisper.

 

"Huh? That question came out of right field!" he joked looking away.

 

"The question needed to be asked. And now is a more perfect time than any."

 

"Why do you want to know that?"

 

"Why wouldn't I want to know, JC? And since you are avoiding the question, I will assume that you do."

 

"I don't know what I feel right now, Laura."

 

She slowly lifted her hand up and placed it lightly on his cheek and looked into his eyes longingly. "Can you feel this?"

 

JC placed his hand over hers and closed his eyes as he started to move it away from his face. She grabbed his hand and placed it on her chest. "How about this? Can you feel this?" JC could feel her heart beating fast. He looked at her chest and then into her eyes.

"You make my heart race when I am with you." She looked at him for some form of reaction. "How do I make it stop? How do I tell my heart that the piece that makes it whole is never coming back? Tell me what I should do, JC."

 

He slowly stood up and paced the room. "I can't. It's your life, Laura. I can't tell you what to do. I can only go with what I feel inside."

 

Laura nodded her head up and down. "Yeah...what you feel inside..." She stood up and placed the pillow back down on the couch. "I figured that..."

 

As she walked towards the stairs she looked down at the dishes that were scattered around the room.  "There's no need for you to stay. I will take care of it in the morning." she pointed out.

 

She walked upstairs and headed towards her bedroom. JC stood there looking down at the floor. As she walked down the hallway she felt someone grab her arm. Her back hit the wall as she turned to see who it was. JC stood there in front of her trying to catch his breath. He didn't say a word. He merely looked deep into her eyes.

 

 

She waited for him to say something…Anything. "Is this what you feel inside?"

 

JC didn't answer her.   Laura slowly started to pull down the straps off her shirt, baring her breasts. "What do you feel when I do this?" she asked.

 

JC looked down at her chest and could feel his cock begin to stir. Laura stood against the wall and began to run her hands up and down her body. She slowly thumbed her nipples making them even harder than they already were. "Does she satisfy you more than me?" she asked as she started to slowly pull at the strings on her jeans.

 

She pushed her jeans down slowly never breaking eye contact with JC. He watched and noticed the red thong that disappeared between the cheeks of her firm ass. He unconsciously began to lick his lips.

 

Laura walked over to him wearing only a thong. JC backed away from her and found himself pinned against the opposite wall. She ran her hands up the inside of his thighs just barely grazing his cock. "Does she touch you like this?" she asked as she ran her hands up the front of his chest and let her fingernails lightly scratch his skin on the way back down. JC's eyes rolled into the back of his head when he felt her one hand grab his ass and the other lightly rub his cock through his jeans.

 

"Laura, please." he said as he tried to gather up the courage to stop her.

 

"Do her lips feel as soft as mine?" Laura lightly kissed JC's neck right above his lion pendant. She let her tongue slide up his chin and let her lips slightly brush past his as she kissed his cheek.

 

He could feel her bare breasts pinned against his body and her hands rubbing him through his clothing. Feeling her nails grazing the side of his neck and her warm, wet, lips on his skin drove him over the edge. He quickly grabbed a chunk of her hair and pulled her away from his cheek. They stared at each other for a second before they both grabbed at one another's face to kiss. The kisses grew more intense with every passing moment. JC grabbed her ass and pulled her body closer to his.

 

"Oh, God, JC! Don't stop." she pleaded as she wrapped her arm around his neck to bring him down closer to her. His cock was begging to be free as he turned her around and put her up against the wall. JC brought his hand around and twisted her nipple between his fingers as he used his other hand to swiftly unzip his pants and let them fall down around his ankles. As he pushed Laura's thong aside to gain entry, he immediately stopped. Laura turned around trying to catch her breath.  JC's head as he let it fall into her upper chest and looked down. They both stood there looking away from one another as they tried to slow their breathing. JC grabbed his jeans and pulled them up slightly as he backed away from Laura and leaned on the opposite wall. "I can't do this." He looked towards her and saw tears slowly running down her face as she looked towards the ceiling.

 

Laura wiped the tears away and began to pick up her clothes. "Well now that we know what you are feeling inside, I guess we can both rest more easily at night." she said as she brushed past him into her bedroom, slamming the door behind her. JC started to go after her, but heard her lock the door. He refastened his jeans and headed back downstairs to leave. Hallie walked back into the house as he was coming downstairs. She noticed him buckling up his belt. "And who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?" she said sarcastically.

 

JC looked up at her and rolled his eyes as he walked towards the back door. "Tell Laura, I put all her gifts in the bedroom and that I will talk to her in a couple days."

 

"It's either one or the other, JC. You can't have them both!" she called after him.

 

"Get your facts straight before you come at me with that bullshit, Hallie." he said as he slammed the door on his way out. Hallie stood stunned, trying to contemplate what he meant by his last statement.

Chapter 54 by DesperateThoughts

"Why would I lie to you about something like that, Hallie?" Laura asked as she sipped her tea.

"Because you probably wouldn’t want to hear me tell you how wrong it was if you had fucked him last night." She said as she opened the blinds in her friends bedroom.

 

Laura squinted and blocked the sun away with her arm. Hallie pulled the string of the blinds slightly to get the sun out of her face. "How do you consider wanting to have sex with my own husband wrong? I’ll admit that my better judgment was impaired last night, but I don’t think I was wrong to miss his touch."

 

"On the one hand I agree with you completely, Laura. But on the other side of all this I would wonder why you would want to be with him if he is fucking Rachel too." She said as she laid across the bed. "Plus there is the whole issue with that baby over there. JC isn’t one to step out on his responsibilities and if it indeed is true that Nikolas is his son, you know that he won’t want to be a weekend father."

 

Laura looked towards JC’s house and thought quietly to herself as her friend continued to speak. Hallie got up and walked into the bathroom to get Laura some aspirin for her hangover. "Oh shit, I almost forgot. You got a FedEx today."

 

"Probably some record company mumbo jumbo or some lawyer bullshit. I’ll look at it later."

 

"Rick also called."

 

Laura immediately stopped what she was doing. "He did?"

 

"Yeah. He wanted to know what you were doing tomorrow night. He wants us to go with him to some party?"

 

"Yeah, Joey told me about it last night. Who else is going?" Laura asked.

 

"Your usual crew and a couple additions."

 

"Rachel?"

 

"Yep."

 

"Eh. Why not. Last night wasn’t so bad."

 

"It wasn’t so bad because you were drinking like a fish." Hallie laughed.

 

"Then I guess I will have to stick with what I know best."

 

"Whatever happened to you and Rick?"

 

"Nothing really. He got tired of being second when it came to my career…Which is understandable. But other than that we had a pretty good relationship." Laura started to laugh suddenly. Hallie looked towards her to find out what was so funny.

 

"He came by when I was visiting my mom and JC kept making these strange faces anytime we would talk."

 

"Guess I had to be there." She said sarcastically. Laura picked up a pillow and hit her friend with it.

 

"When are you going to open your gifts?"

 

"Maybe later. I’m too tired to do anything but lay down right now."

 

"Okay. Joey called earlier and wanted to go out shopping for a bit so I think I will hang with him today if you don’t need anything else."

 

"I’m fine. Go have fun."

 

"Want me to pick you up anything?"

 

"I’m good."

 

After Hallie left the room, Laura laid back down and snuggled underneath the blanket as she looked towards the window thinking about JC. Hallie’s words ran through her mind over and over again, ‘...he won’t want to be a weekend father.’

 

Laura slowly opened her eyes and looked towards the clock. "Oh shit. It’s 4:00? I can’t believe I slept this long." She said to herself as she slowly got out of bed. She walked downstairs and noticed that the house was immaculate and smiled to herself. She went into the kitchen and fixed herself a sandwich. As she was eating she noticed the FedEx letter envelope on the end of the counter. She reached over and got it and recognized who the sender was. She held the envelope in her hand and tried to decide whether or not she should open it. She set the envelope down and finished eating. She did everything she could to avoid the letter, but the contents of what was inside kept playing on her mind. She’d be in the middle of playing on the piano and she would stop what she was doing to look towards the bulky white envelope on the table. Nine o’clock rolled around and she finally gathered up the strength to grab the envelope and open it.

 

A few hours later Hallie came back home and noticed that all the lights in the house were off. She found it odd that Laura would still be in bed. She walked upstairs and knocked on Laura’s bedroom door. "Lar, you in there?"

 

There was no answer. She turned the knob and opened the door slightly and noticed Laura sitting in the chair by the window looking up at the moon. "You’ve been in here all day?"

 

Laura didn’t speak. "Sweetie? Are you okay?" Hallie asked her friend as she patted her head.

 

"You ever wonder what your life would be like if you made different choices?" she asked.

 

"We all do, Laura. But since we can’t go back in time, we have to live with our decisions. Why?"

 

"I just wish I would have done a few things differently."

 

"Everyone does. But you can’t keep living in the past. You need to let that go and live for today. And if you’re smart, you’ll make better choices tomorrow. That’s what life is all about. Living for tomorrow. Not yesterday."

 

Laura looked towards her friend and slightly nodded in agreement. Hallie placed her hand on Laura’s shoulder to comfort her. Laura placed her hand over it and squeezed gently, "You always seem to know exactly what to say to me when I need advice. And you are absolutely right."

 

Hallie smiled and leaned down and hugged her friend from behind. "That’s what true friendship is all about."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hey, Hallie. Can I talk to Laura please?" JC asked.

 

Hallie rolled her eyes. "Let me see if she is here."

 

"That ‘let me see if she is here’ shit doesn’t work with neighbors, Hallie. I just saw her in the backyard."

Hallie started laughing, "Yeah, true.  But you know what does work?  Me just hanging up the phone.  But I'm in a good mood, so hold on while I go and see if she wants to talk to you."

 

She took the cordless and went down the hallway into Laura’s office. "JC’s on the phone."

 

"Okay. Thanks." Laura said as she went to take the phone.

 

Hallie covered the it and whispered, "I thought you weren’t speaking to him."

 

Laura pushed her friend out the door. "Thanks Hallie." She said as she grabbed the phone and shut the door.

 

Hallie went to speak but was startled by the door almost hitting her square in the face. She shrugged and headed back towards the living room to watch tv.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hey…You left me a message on my voicemail?" he asked as he opened his mail.

 

"Yeah. I ummm…I need to give you some stuff to look over."

 

"Oh, ok. You want me to come over there or you come over here?"

 

"Are you alone?"

 

"Yeah, for most of the day. Why?" he asked as he folded his arms across his chest.

 

"I’ll come over there then. Give me a few minutes."

 

"Uhh…Ok."

 

"K. Bye." She hung up the phone and sat back in her chair, thinking about what she was going to do next.

 

A few minutes later there was a light knock on the front door. JC looked in the mirror and fixed his hair and clothes before taking a deep breath and opening the door."Hey."

 

"Hi." Laura said as she walked into the house.

 

"Why didn’t you come to the back door?"

 

"I drove. I have somewhere to go afterwards."

 

"Oh." He said as he motioned for her to follow him down to the studio.

 

She slowly trailed behind him down the steps into the sound proof room. Memories flooded back into her mind as she looked around. She hadn’t been back to his place in weeks. JC walked over to the sound board and grabbed a stack of papers and handed them to her. "Here are some of the things I have been working on. I looked over what you had and wrote above it with some additions and changes. If you don’t like them you can just cross them out. It was just a few suggestions I had."

 

Laura took them and placed them in her bag. She pulled out a stack of papers and handed them to him. He slowly looked over the first couple sheets and smiled to himself. "This looks good."

 

"Thanks." She never smiled back.

 

"So what did you need to see me about?"

 

"I just wanted to give you these and see what you had done so far. I also wanted to make arrangements ahead of time for when we need to actually work together on this. Once it’s over I can move on and you can get on with your life and your new family."

 

"So she did tell you about it..."

 

"Tell me about what?"

 

"The baby."

 

"What about the baby?"

 

JC looked up towards the ceiling realizing that she didn’t know what was going on. He told her to wait there for a minute. JC ran upstairs and grabbed a piece of paper and returned to the studio. He handed it to Laura.

 

"What’s this?" She said as she opened it up to read it. "Wow…99.9% chance, huh?"

"Yeah." JC sighed as he sat down in the chair.

 

"You yell and scream at me for keeping secrets from you and then you turn around and do the same thing."

 

"I thought you knew. I figured Rachel told you. The topic came up and she fully agreed to have it done as soon as possible. I got the results not too long ago. "

 

"Well, if you hadn’t noticed, I hardly speak to Rachel. It’s hard to look her in the face and not see visions of the two of you running through my head constantly."

 

"Do you really think that I would sleep with her while I am still married to you?"

 

"Well you moved her into your house. And from what I hear, that’s exactly what’s been happening. Or was it someone else who asked you to wash their back…Was it someone else who came over to my house wondering about another woman because you weren’t satisfying her the way you used to?"

 

Leaning back in the chair, JC crossed his arms and said, "I guess you don’t know me at all then."

 

Laura sat down on the opposite chair. "I don’t even know myself anymore, JC."

 

They both sat in silence. Laura placed the paternity papers down on the table and looked towards him. "Last week she told me that you hadn’t even asked for a paternity test."

 

He hadn't.  But after stopping by that same afternoon and listening to Laura throw innuendos his way, he needed to know for himself.  He had to have proof so that he could finally come clean with his mother about what was going on.  He had only told her that Rachel had left Jerry and that he was letting her and the baby stay at his house for awhile.  Which was technically true.  He just couldn't tell her anything else until he was sure.

 

"So what are you going to do?" Laura asked.

 

"I don’t know. I’ve been fighting with myself for a long time about this. And I know you don’t want to hear it, but I need to be honest with you. I still have feelings for Rachel. I have to sort through and find out what exactly it is that I’m feeling…But I am indeed feeling something. And knowing that she is the mother of my child makes that feeling a bit stronger."

 

Laura stomach began to do flips and all she could think about was getting out of there as fast as she could.  She didn't want him to see her as vulnerable and as hurt as she was at that very moment.  She refused to let herself cry in front of him.  As they locked eyes he said, "And then I see you, and…" He paused, leaning up and placing his hand over hers. "...I just need time to figure this out. I don’t want my son to grow up and not have me there. I’ve already missed a year. I don’t want to miss another day. I can’t live like that. And I hope you wouldn’t want me to."

 

"Of course I wouldn’t want you to, JC. I knew a long time ago that if this were the case, we would be no more. I guess that’s why I tried to keep her secret as long as I could. Part of me was trying to be a good friend. And the selfish part of me was trying to hold onto you as long as I could."

 

"I’m just having a hard time dealing with Rachel and the baby. I am having an even harder time looking at you the same way I use to. You kept this huge secret from me for a whole year. That’s difficult to imagine. And with the results proving that he is, it’s even harder to stomach. I can’t help but wonder what else you have kept from me."

 

Laura didn’t argue with him. She knew he was right to feel the way he did. "Then I guess that’s that." She said as she slapped her knees and stood up to leave.

 

JC got up and stood in front of her to block her path. "You're leaving already?"

 

"I can’t stay. I need to go."

 

JC grabbed her face in his hands. "You are an incredible woman. And I hope you know that you have a special place in my heart."

 

Tears began to form in her eyes.  She tried to shake her head away from his grasp but it was no use.  JC took his thumbs and wiped away the tears that had began to fall down her face. Laura closed her eyes and placed her hands over his. "Well I guess the feeling isn’t mutual…Seeing that you own my heart."

 

JC wrapped his arms around Laura and held her tightly. Laura didn’t want him to let her go, but she knew she had to break free before she lost her courage. She lightly pushed on his chest and backed away from his embrace.   He stood and watched her open her bag and grab a small stack of papers. She handed them to him and said, "I need you to sign these as soon as you get a chance. Once you are done just drop them inside the envelope and I’ll take care of it from there."

 

JC took the papers and began to leaf through them. "What is it? Something else from, Jerry?" He flipped through a few more pages and found himself having to suddenly sit down. He looked up towards her. "Divorce papers? What the hell is this!?"

 

"I know…I know…But our marriage can’t be annulled. And this was the only other alternative."

 

"What?" JC was still in a state of shock.

 

Laura went on to explain what the attorney had explained to her about any possibility of an annulment and how hard it was going to be in their situation.  "This seemed to be the quickest and easiest choice considering our careers and busy schedules.  It will be kept confidential. I trust my lawyer completely with this. So you don’t have to worry."

 

JC looked through the papers once more. "Wow. You really put a lot of thought into this."

 

"I was doing everything I could to keep it private, so that this wouldn’t hurt your career. There was nothing else I could do though."

 

"So instead of coming to me and trying to figure this out together you went behind my back and did this?"

 

"What is your problem? I told you I would take care of it and I did.  I thought you would be relieved that I brought these to you."

 

"Relieved? Why the fuck would I be relieved that you want to divorce me, Laura!"

Chapter 55 by DesperateThoughts

"You're fucking psychotic!"  Laura threw down her bag in anger and began to scream loudly. "There was never a marriage here, JC! In fact, there isn't anything here anymore...No relationship…Nothing!" Laura took a deep breath and tried to calm herself down.

She bent down to pick up all the papers that had fallen out of her bag and suddenly stopped. "JC what did you expect?  Did you think that if you just ignored it long enough, the problem would go away?  You just got done giving me the ole' 'You're an incredible' heave ho speech."

Tears were streaming down her face and JC noticed she was trembling. He walked towards her and placed his hands on her shoulders to calm her. Laura pushed him away and picked herself up off the floor.  She placed the messenger bag over her shoulder and pointed towards him, "Say what you want about me, but I've never lied to you.  I may have omitted this secret for a friend, but I've never once lied to you about anything!" 

 

Laura began jabbing her finger into his chest to get her point across, "You can't bring up not one time where I ever fuckin' lied to you.  I've never stolen from you and I sure as hell have never fucked anyone behind your back.  So for you to say that you trust that…that bitch…over me?  Then you deserve each other."

 

"Look, I didn't mean to blow up at you like that...I just thought we would have made this decision together."

 

Laura backed away and looked at him in disbelief. "Together?! We haven't made a lot of decisions together for a while now, JC." Laura picked up her bag and started out of the studio and up the stairs as she kept talking. "That paternity test and the results are a prime example of what I am talking about," she said as she stopped and turned around to look at him. "We could also bring up the fact that you moved Rachel into your house without speaking to me about it first! So don't get all high and mighty with me about not including you on any decisions, JC!" she yelled.

 

"It's my fuckin' house! I can move her in here if I want!" He yelled back.

 

"I'm your fuckin' wife!!" she screamed.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Girl, you are tore up from the floor up!"

 

Laura laughed lightly as she let her body fall down on the couch at the club. "I'm not drunk yet, Rick. I'm working on it though."

 

Rick looked towards Hallie who just shook her head and looked the other way as she tapped her foot to the music.

 

Laura noticed that Rachel and JC hadn't shown up yet. "I wonder where the happy couple is tonight?"

 

"Who?" Rick asked.

 

"JC and Rachel." she replied.

 

Hallie quickly interrupted her from speaking further. "Hey Rick, can you get me a club soda from the bar, please?"

 

Rick agreed and walked over to the bar. Hallie moved closer to her friend who was sipping on a rum and coke. "You need to watch yourself, Lar. I know you are hurting right now but please try and keep a lid on your emotions for the next couple hours or so till this party is over."

 

Laura rolled her eyes and went to take another sip of her drink. Hallie grabbed it from her hand. "Let's try and put the brakes on this too while we are at it."

 

Laura snatched it back and sighed to herself. "You can be such a bitch at times."

 

"Yeah well I'll be a bitch as long as I know I'm looking out for you." she said as she snatched the drink back and dumped cigarettes from a nearby ashtray into it.

 

Rick returned with the club soda and handed it to Hallie. As he started to sit down next to Laura, she grabbed his hand and started to stand up. Rick quickly put out his arms when he noticed she was beginning to stumble.

 

"Damn, I'm fucked up." Laura laughed. "Come dance with me, Ricky." she said as she pulled his arm and guided him to the dance floor.

 

Nelly's "Work It" was playing throughout the club. Rick stood behind Laura as she began to sway her hips with the beat. He began to smile slightly as he watched her closely. He could almost see through her pink floral half top. He licked his lips as he looked down and noticed how tightly her jeans hugged her ass and how the waiste-line was so low. Laura slowly backed up and let her ass brush up against him. He moved in closer to her and they both began to grind. Just as Hallie turned her head away in disgust, Justin walked towards her and wondered why she was making such a weird face.

 

"I'm embarrassed to be associated with this chick right now. Look at her!" she pointed. Justin looked up and searched the dance floor for Laura. His eyes widened and he smiled when he finally spotted her. "She's just trying to have a good time, Hallie. Ain't that Rachel's brother?"

 

"Yeah that's Rick. I know she is having a good time, but come on! There's no need to do all that." she motioned.

 

"That's nothing compared to some of the things I've seen."

 

"Yeah...well the fact that she is doing it, is what is bothering me." she said as she picked up her drink.

 

As Rick and Laura were dancing, the music suddenly changed. Usher's "Yeah" began to play. Justin looked towards the front door and could see Joey, Chris and Lance walking into the club.

 

Hallie watched closely as Lance, Chris and Joey walked towards them. She looked past them and saw Rachel and JC walking in. She looked down and noticed that they were holding hands. Justin noticed the same thing. She looked towards him and saw he was deep in thought as he watched the two of them. He looked at Hallie and shrugged his shoulders. "I'm just as lost as you are right now."

 

They both watched Rachel and JC as they stood at the door and talked to a group of people. The waitress immediately came over and took their drink orders.

 

"So what's up with that?" Justin asked Joey as he looked towards JC and Rachel.

 

"Your guess is as good as mine, man." Joey replied. "I'm just going to mind my business for the moment. I don't want to get caught up in anybody else's bullshit but my own right now."

 

Chris and Justin nodded in agreement and went on to talking about other things. Hallie couldn't help but watch JC, Rachel, Rick, and Laura and wonder silently to herself if she had missed anything that had happened in the past 8 hours.

 

JC and Rachel finally came over and joined them. "Hey Hallie, where is Laura?" Rachel asked as she went and sat down next to her.

 

"Somewhere dancing with your brother." Hallie said as she took a sip of her club soda. Rachel looked up and scanned the crowd in search of Rick and Laura. JC did the same. He spotted them near the middle of the dance floor and noticed that they were grinding.

 

Hallie smiled and said, "I hope they are getting back together."

 

"They dated?" he asked loudly. JC noticed the group was silent and looking towards him. He cleared his throat and re-stated his question in a normal tone.

 

Justin took that as his cue to vacate the area and headed out onto the dance floor to dance with Laura as well.

 

"Yeah." she replied matter-of-factly. "Ever since high school up until right after some of her songs were recorded. They would have gotten married had it not been for other things."

 

"Oh...I never knew they dated." he explained as he turned his head and watched her. 

 

Laura tilted her head back in laughter as she watched Justin try to teach her how to do the air clap from the video.  She was sandwiched between both men and JC did everything he could not to look in her direction.

 

"Yep...The world is just full of surprises these days huh, guys?" Hallie said sarcastically as she stared at JC and Rachel.

 

Justin ran over and interrupted, "Why don't we go upstairs and shoot some pool, JC?"

 

JC was still looking towards Hallie with a scowl on his face. "Sounds like a plan."

 

"Baby, don't be gone too long. I want to dance with you before the night is threw." Rachel added. JC nodded as he went to follow Justin, Chris and Joey upstairs. The four men greeted people as they went upstairs to the pool tables.

 

"What the hell is going on? You fuckin' Rachel too now?" Chris asked.

 

"Just going with the flow right now, Chris. Everyday it's something new." he said as he leaned against the railing holding a pool stick waiting on Joey to break.

 

Justin walked over and stood next to him. "She is really hurting right now, man."

 

JC rolled his eyes. "So? That's what happens when deceit come back to bite you in the ass."

 

"I know you don't believe that...I mean just-"

 

"Look let's just play, Justin."

 

As the guys were upstairs playing pool, Hallie, Lance and Rachel were downstairs talking. Laura and Rick slowly walked back over towards them to take a break. She saw Rachel and tried her best to act happy to see her. They hugged and began to talk amongst themselves until Rachel excused herself to go to the ladies room. Laura leaned over to speak to Hallie while Rick and Lance talked amongst themselves.

 

"How long have they been here?" she whispered to Hallie.

 

"Long enough to see you making a fool of yourself out there."

 

Laura lightly punched Hallie in the arm. "Shut up."

 

Rick and Lance excused themselves to get more drinks. Laura lifted up her head and scanned the room for JC. "Where is he?"

 

"Upstairs playing pool with Justin and them." Hallie pointed.

 

Laura looked up and could see the back of Justin's head and JC standing next to him. She watched and smiled to herself when she saw him laughing and having a good time with his friends. She then spotted Rachel upstairs walking over towards him. They stood there talking to one another. She noticed Rachel say something to Justin who smiled at her and then went to take his shot.

 

As Hallie was setting down her drink on the table she noticed that Laura's nails were digging into the couch. She looked in the direction that Laura was staring and saw Rachel and JC kissing. Hallie grabbed her hand and held it tightly as she tried to get her attention. Rick and Lance returned with drinks. He went to hand one to Laura and noticed she was staring off into space. He called her name a few times until she finally snapped out of her trance and looked towards him. "...Huh?"

 

"You okay?"

 

"Yeah I'm fine." she said as she took the drink from his hands. Jay-Z's "Song Cry" began to play. Laura sat back and thought to herself as she feigned interest in the conversation the group was having. She gulped down her drink and began to drown in her own thoughts. JC, Justin, and Rachel started down the steps and over towards them. They immediately sat down and joined in on the discussion. JC and Rachel sat on the couch across from Laura and Hallie. JC sipped his drink and looked towards Laura who was staring at him.

 

I can understand why you want a divorce now

Though I can't let you know it

Pride won't let me show it

Pretend to be heroic

That's just one to grow in

But deep inside you know I'm so sick, right?

I can't see it comin down my eyes

so I gotta make this song cry...

Can't see it comin down your eyes

Gotta make this song cry...

 

JC's eye contact was suddenly disrupted when he looked towards Rachel who had draped her arms around his neck as she leaned in to whisper something in his ear. JC smiled and stood up and followed her to the dance floor.

 

The night continued and Laura did her best to take her mind off of JC and Rachel. JC did his best not to have to interact with her. He walked around and mingled with various people in the club and danced with Rachel every now and then. Hallie tried everything she could to coax Laura into leaving early. But Laura was determined to show JC and everyone else that he couldn't get the best of her. J Holiday's "Bed" began to play and Rick dragged Laura out onto the dance floor. Laura was so drunk that it was hard for her to keep her balance as they danced with one another.

 

Rick moved the hair away from her face and placed it gently behind her ear so he could look into her eyes. "I know you probably don't even care that I am saying this right now, but you look amazing tonight."

 

"Even when I am a blubbering drunk?" she joked.

 

"Yes," he laughed. "Even when you're a blubbering drunk." The smile faded from his face as he stared at her. "You are even more beautiful then I remember you being."

 

Laura looked away from him. She wrapped her arms tighter around his neck and placed her chin on his shoulder as they continued to dance.

 

JC was on the other side of the room talking to a group of women and doing his best impression of a guy who didn't care as he glanced over and saw Laura with her one leg draped around Rick, her head on his shoulder, and his hand on her ass holding up her leg.

 

Laura looked at Rick's neck and let her fingers glide across his shirt. "I never got a chance to tell you sorry for everything I put you through, Rick."

 

"What did you put me through, Laura?"

 

"I just mean that I am sorry that I put work ahead of you..."

 

Rick covered her mouth with his finger. "Don't apologize for following your dreams, Laura. I didn't understand that then. I ran away from us instead of hanging in there with you...And I don't want you blaming yourself for why we fell apart...I was afraid...It's not your fault."

 

"What were you afraid of?"

 

"That once you got here you wouldn't need me anymore. You'd go and date some singer and forget about me...Mr. Nobody."

 

"There is no way in hell that I would ever forget you." Laura smiled at him. He smiled back at her and kissed her forehead.

 

Laura stared down at his shirt and took a deep breath before asking, "Are you still attracted to me?"

Chapter 56 by DesperateThoughts

Rick laughed at her question. "Why are you asking me this?"

"Curiousity."  she grinned as she looked up into his eyes.

"Well, what do you think?" he asked.

 

"I don't know...That's why I am asking." she said as she lifted her other leg up and wrapped it around his waist. He grabbed her and held on tight as she let her head fall down onto his shoulder. She lightly ran the tip of her nose across his neck.

 

"Well if it's any consolation to you..." Rick struggled to speak. "I have been trying my best to calm junior down all night...You're making it even harder now." he whispered to her.

 

Laura looked down towards his jeans and began to laugh hysterically. Rick looked around and noticed people looking towards them as she chuckled. He smiled at the onlookers and carried Laura back to the lounge area. He sat her down on the arm of the couch and stood next to her as they joined in on the conversation that Justin was having with the waitress about why her skirt was suddenly so incredibly short between her two visits to wait on them.

 

JC was still on the other side of the room talking to the group of girls who seemed very interested in his every word. Rachel was on the opposite side of the club talking to a group of old friends from a show that she had recently taped. As JC continued to talk to the group of women Justin came over to rescue him.  "Can I steal my friend away for a moment ladies?" Justin asked as he grabbed JC's arm and lightly pulled him.

 

"It was nice talking to you." he smiled as he began to walk over to the bar with Justin.

 

"How's it going?"

 

"Going good...Why?" JC asked as he motioned to the bartender for service.

 

"You don't look it." Justin joked. JC pushed him and then ordered a drink. Justin leaned over the counter and began to fiddle with his napkin. "You talk to your girl yet?" he asked.

 

"No, but I am going to talk to her later on tonight when we get home. I need to tell her about Laura once and for all."

 

Justin never looked at him as he moved the tiny straw to the side to take a sip of his drink. "I was referring to Laura."

 

JC noticed his own blunder and wondered to himself why he had said that. "No I haven't spoken to her all night. We had words earlier today."

 

"About?"

 

"I don't want to go into it right now. It's been a long day and I just want to relax for a little while longer before things get chaotic again."

 

Justin laughed. "You call this relaxing? Constantly looking around the club to see where Laura is and trying to keep a lid on all that anger that you have inside right now?"

 

"I'm not angry about anything."

 

"I've known you for how long, JC? I know when you are angry and right now you are fuckin' fuming about something."

 

"Justin, please don't start in on me too."

 

Justin gave in. "Fine." he said as he went back to sipping his drink. They both were silent as they looked around at all the people in the club. "Daammnnn...."

 

JC looked towards Justin to see what was wrong. "Look at what this dickhead is doing."

 

JC looked towards where Justin was pointing and could see Rick's fingers sliding down the back of Laura's exposed thong. JC couldn't hold back his emotions any longer and rushed towards the group and jumped Rick. Both men fell to the ground. "What the fuck you doin' man?!" he yelled as he repeatedly punched Rick in the back of the head. Screams could be heard throughout the club.

 

"JC stop!" Laura yelled.

 

Rachel heard the screaming and rushed over to see what was going on. Rick lifted up his elbow to fight back and hit JC in the nose. Justin and Joey ran over and pulled JC off of Rick. Stunned by what had just happened, Rick stumbled up off the floor and went after him, but was pulled back by three other men. "What the hell are you doing, JC? What's your fuckin' problem!?"

 

"Don't you ever fuckin' touch her like that again!" he yelled as he thrust forward trying to break free from Justin and Joey's grip.

 

"What the hell is going on here?" Rachel asked as she walked up to JC to see if he was ok. Blood was dripping down from his nose over his mouth as he pushed Rachel's hands away from his face.

 

"Right now is the moment when the shit really hits the fan." Chris said before taking a long sip of his drink.

 

"If you ever touch her like that again, I'll fuckin' kill you."

 

"Laura? What happened?" Rachel asked.

 

JC shrugged both men off and started to walk away. Rick was still confused. "And what right do you have to tell me who the fuck I can and can't touch?"

 

JC turned around and started to walk towards him. "Let me tell you something, asshole," He lifted his finger and pointed towards Laura. "I have a million more rights to her than you or any other man ever will." JC pushed past Justin and Joey and headed towards the side door.

 

"What? What are you talking about" Rachel called after him.

 

"What is he talking about, Laura?" Rachel asked her. "What the hell is going on here? What kind of rights does he have to you?"

 

Laura went to run after JC until Rachel called after her and said, "Are you that much of a whore that you can't find your own man?"

 

Hallie went to reach for Rachel but was pulled back by Joey who was close by. Laura turned around and noticed the group of people staring at her in silence. She slowly walked back over to Rachel and stood there and laughed lightly to herself. "Whore? You of all people are calling me a whore? You...The slut who has probably fucked half the people in this club to further her career?"

 

Rachel reached up and slapped Laura hard across her face, jolting her head to the right.  face as hard as she could. Laura quickly put her hand to her cheek.

 

"Uh Oh. It's officially time to go." Chris mumbled as he grabbed his wallet to pay the tab.  "She's gonna kill that girl." he stated plainly. Lance elbowed Chris to be quiet.

 

Laura reached forward and grabbed a chunk of Rachel's hair and started swinging. "You fuckin' bitch!"

 

Rick picked her up and pulled her away from his sister. "No, let her go Rick. I'm gonna kick her ass!" Rachel yelled out.

 

Both women struggled to get their hands on one another. Laura wanted to tell the whole world what Rachel was all about, but instead she held her tongue. She broke free of Rick's grip and backed away. "Well at least when I whored myself out, I was single." she said before turning around and walking away. Rachel rolled her eyes and walked over to see if her brother was okay.

 

Laura walked out the side door and could see JC leaned up against the wall with his head pointing towards the sky.  He held a blood soaked handkerchief to his nose to stop the bleeding.  Laura slowly walked over towards him and stood in front of him. JC's eyes fell down towards her. "Are you okay?" she asked as she pulled herself back from reaching out to touch him.

 

JC didn't answer as he rolled his eyes and looked back up towards the sky.

 

"I appreciate you defending my honor, but he wasn't hurting me, JC." she stated.

 

JC shook his head from side to side and looked towards her as he chuckled to himself, "You know what? You weren't even worth the effort." he said as he brushed past her and went back into the building. Laura just stood there staring at the wall. She turned around to walk back inside and could see Justin standing at the door waiting for her.

 

She slowly walked past him and patted his chest on her way in. She then walked over to Hallie who was standing by the counter waiting for her. "I'm ready to go now."

 

Hallie nodded and wrapped her arm around her friends shoulder as they headed towards the coat-room. Hallie handed the woman their tickets and leaned against the counter as she waited for her to return. She looked down the hall and could see JC and Rachel arguing with one another. The woman returned with their coats and Hallie went and found Laura and headed out the front door.

 

As they stood their waiting on the valet to bring around their car JC and Rachel came outside. There was complete silence in the parking lot. Laura didn't look their way. The man brought around the car and Hallie helped Laura inside and closed her door. On her way around the front of the car she looked towards Rachel who was staring at Laura. Rachel had tears in her eyes and Hallie couldn't help but feel a little bad for her. She looked towards JC who was staring straight ahead.  "Yo, JC!" she called out. He slowly turned his head to see what she wanted. She opened her door and put one foot inside the car and said, "That cake I told you about before...It isn't tasting as good as you thought, huh?" She then got inside the car and peeled off down the highway.

 

 

Chapter 57 by DesperateThoughts

"No Justin.  The other one next to it."  Halle pointed out.

 

Justin leaned up and reached for the box and brought it down and handed it to Hallie.

 

"I think that is all that was on my list." she said as she crossed off some writing on a piece of paper she was holding. "Now all we have to do is checkout and get me some lunch."

 

"Get you some lunch?" Justin asked. "Didn't we just come in here to get all these groceries because Laura's fridge is empty? And now you want me to take you out to eat?"

 

"Yeah. All this shopping has made me hungry." Hallie answered as she sorted through the items in the cart one last time.

 

Justin shook his head and laughed. "Okay. I think there is a Wendy's on the way home."

 

Hallie's mouth dropped open in dismay at the thought of him taking her to get fast food. But deep down inside she knew that was exactly what she wanted.

 

As Justin was about to start the car, Hallie stopped him. "Isn't that Rachel over there at that cafe?"

 

"Yeah it looks like her a little bit." he said as he looked back down to start the ignition.

 

Hallie started to put on her seatbelt. "Who is that she is with?"

 

Justin looked again. "Some chick...Looks like one of those hospital nurses judging by those green pants and white shoes she has on."

 

"I wonder what that's all about." she thought out loud.

 

"Probably some actress from some doctor show she might be appearing in." he said as he adjusted his rearview mirror.

 

Hallie watched the two women closely as Justin pulled out of the parking lot. Instead of driving in the direction of the cafe, Justin turned left and headed towards the main highway never giving Rachel and her friend a second thought.

 

When they returned to Laura's they found her in the kitchen typing away at her laptop and talking to Rick on the phone.  "No, I'll explain everything to you later, okay? I'm just so sorry about what happened..."

 

Justin walked up behind her and leaned down and kissed her on the cheek and walked over and placed the bags of groceries on the counter. Laura wrapped up her phone call and finally hung up. She turned around to watch Justin as he took the groceries out of their bags and started to put them away.

 

"You don't have to do that, Justin." she said as she started to stand up to go and help him.

 

He put his hand up and stopped her. "Just chill. I want to. This way you won't complain when I raid the fridge later."

 

Laura smiled and sat back down. Hallie walked into the kitchen with three more bags of food. "Guess who we saw today?" she said.

 

"Who?" Laura asked as she turned around to finish typing something on the laptop. Justin looked at Hallie and motioned for her not to mention Rachel.

 

"Ummm....Well I think it was Grant Hill's wife, Tamia....But Justin told me that Tamia looked finer than the woman I was pointing out." she lied.

 

"Oh. Well Justin is pretty good with staring females up and down, so he was probably right." Laura stated plainly. "Hey what time is your flight tonight?"

 

"I'm pretty sure it's at 6:30. Why?"

 

"I was just wondering if I could get something done before I take you. But that is going to cut it rather close. That only gives me a few hours. It's 2 right now."

 

"Well me or Joey can take her if you are going to be too busy." Justin interrupted.

 

"No it's not that I am going to be too busy. I just wanted to see if I was going to have enough time to talk to Rick about everything that happened last night. He is also leaving today and I wanted to get that settled before he left, but I can always call and explain it later."

 

"Well I kinda told Joey that he could take me to the airport anyway, Laura."

 

"Oh."

 

Hallie suddenly felt guilty and tried to explain. "Well we didn't get much of a chance to hang out last night with everything that happened so I promised him an early dinner before I caught my flight."

 

"Ooooh." Justin and Laura said simultaneously as they smiled towards one another.

 

Hallie's face started to turn red. "Shut up."

 

Justin took out a bundle of toilet paper and asked Laura where it was suppose to go. She pointed out the spare bedroom as she continued to talk to Hallie.  Justin went and took the toilet paper upstairs. He came back out and leaned over the banister. "Yo, do you know you have birthday gifts in here that you haven't opened yet?" he yelled down.

 

"Oh shit! I completely forgot." she yelled up. "I'll open them later."

 

"The hell you will. You didn't even open my gift. Get your ass up here so you can at least see what I got you."

 

Laura dragged herself up the steps with Hallie right behind her, pushing her up the stairs. When she turned the corner to the spare bedroom she noticed all the gifts on the bed.

 

"Damn." she said as she stood there in awe.

 

Laura began to open her gifts one by one torturing Justin as she purposely went and opened every gift but his first. Justin finally got sick and tired of her games and started to open up his gift to her. Laura snatched the little box out of his hand. "Justin, stop!" she fought.

 

Laura ripped off whatever wrapping paper was left and slowly opened up the small white velvet box. Her mouth fell open in shock. "Oh wow, Justin! You didn't have to do this."

 

"I wanted to." he said as he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. Laura kissed him back and wrapped her arms around him. "Thank you so much." she said as she hugged him tightly.

 

"Well, Damn...What did he get you? Keys to a Bentley or something?" Hallie asked as she leaned up from her chair.

 

Laura took the small ring out of the box and handed it to Hallie. She looked down and noticed the shimmering ring with its ten tiny diamonds in the shape of a single musical note. Hallie couldn't understand what was so spectacular about the ring that it would bring that much emotion out of her best friend until Laura explained. She pulled out her necklace from her shirt and leaned forward so Hallie could see it. "I got this a while ago and I had always wanted a ring to match it. I didn't think anyone was listening to me the night I brought it up." she said. She smiled as she slipped it onto her finger. "I had no idea you would remember something as small as that, Justin."

 

"You remember what I told you right?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Well then you should know by now." he smiled.

 

Hallie wanted to ask what he had told her, but decided it must not be something he wanted her to know if he didn't just come out and say it.  Laura looked over and noticed there were three more gifts in the corner she hadn't opened yet. Justin went and got them and brought them over to her. By the look on his face they seemed to be rather heavy boxes. Just as he was placing them down on the bed, the doorbell rang.  "I'll get it." he said as he walked out the door.

 

Hallie stood up and started to pick up all the torn wrapping paper from the bed and floor. She carried it out of the room to look for a large bag to put it in. She could hear Justin downstairs talking.  "I'm just sayin' that it ain't my house, so I can't just let you walk up in here, JC."

 

Laura was still in the spare bedroom trying to open the large UPS box. She looked around the room for something sharp to break through the tape with, but had no luck. She walked out into the hallway and noticed Hallie looking over the railing at something. She walked up next to her and could see Justin and JC at the door.  "I just want to give her this box. It's the rest of her things. I also need to give her a few of these cd's to work on. Unless, of course, I am interrupting something."

 

Justin rolled his eyes and was about to respond when Laura chimed in and said, "Let him in Justin."

 

JC walked in past Justin and looked upstairs towards Laura and noticed Hallie standing beside her. There was silence as the four of them looked around at one another. Finally Hallie said, "Justin, Can you drive me over to the mall for a bit? I need to pick up a few things before I leave tonight."

 

"Sure." he answered as he looked up at Laura to make sure she was ok. She nodded and smiled at him.

 

Once Hallie and Justin were gone, Laura motioned for JC to follow her. "We can talk about the project while I finish cleaning up." she said as she walked up the stairs. JC followed behind her and agreed. When they walked into the spare bedroom he noticed there was wrapping paper all over the place along with three unopened boxes.

 

"You just now opening your gifts?"

 

"Yeah. Things have been hectic lately to say the least. Justin noticed them and forced me to open them so I could see what he got me."

 

"Yeah. That ring you had wanted." he said as he sat down in a nearby chair.

 

"Yeah...Dammit."

 

"What."

 

"I forgot to go downstairs to get a knife to open this box with."

 

JC reached into his back pocket and pulled out his keychain. There was a small pen knife set attached to it. He slid out the part with the sharp blade and walked over to open the box for her.

 

"Thanks." she said as he backed away so she could see what was inside. "I'm trying to figure out who this is from."

 

JC looked on the side of the box and noticed a sticker and read it aloud. "It says Stanley and Armstrong."

 

"Sounds like an attorney's office. I wonder what the hell they would be sending me." she said as she opened the box.

 

She sifted through all the peanuts and grabbed the first thing she felt and paused when JC started to speak.   "Look, I just wanted to drop off the rest of your things and tell you that there are 7 songs on here that I had been working on. I just wanted you to take a listen and see where you think its going. And pick out what you think are the top 5 out of the group."

 

Laura continued to listen as she slowly began to lift the item out of the box. It felt like a statue or figurine. Her eyes locked in on JC's as she said, "Well that's fine JC. Just leave it on the chair and I will get to it later. I wouldn't want you to have to stay in my presence any longer than you have to.

 

"Dammit, I don't want to figh-....." JC was about to argue back until he looked down at what she had pulled out of the box. Laura didn't notice what she had pulled out of the box until she saw his reaction. She looked down to see why. It was a large golden statue that stood on top of a black platform and seemed to sparkle with any touch of light.

 

JC started to say, "That's a-"

 

"Grammy." Laura finished his statement and looked down at it confused as to why someone would send it to her. "Is it real?" she asked.

 

JC walked over to the bed and gently took it from Laura's hands. He carefully studied the statue and finally handed it back to her and said, "It's genuine, Laura."

 

Laura sifted through the box for some type of explanation and pulled out three more awards covered in bubble wrap. JC picked up a birthday card that had fallen from the box with a bunch of packing peanuts. Laura was still shocked and confused. JC opened the card and read it out loud.

 

Dear Ms. Charles,

These awards were received by your father for some of his achievements throughout his career. We are a small law firm that acquired these from him before he died. It was specifically stated in his last will and testament that you receive these on your 25th birthday along with the letter that we have enclosed. Please accept this gift with our warmest wishes for a wonderful day. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at any time at the address below.

Sincerely,

Attorney's Stanley and Armstrong

 

They both were silent and nothing that had happened in the past few days seemed to matter anymore. Laura sat on the bed staring at the four Grammy awards sitting there. JC handed her the card and the envelope with her name on it.

 

Laura looked down at the envelope and tears immediately began to fill her eyes. "It's my father's handwriting." 

 

Chapter 58 by DesperateThoughts

JC walked over and sat next to her on the bed and desperately wanted to wrap his arm around her should to comfort her, but he just couldn't do it. Laura slowly opened up the envelope and took out the letter and began to read it aloud:

 

My Dearest Daughter,

By now, you have grown into the most amazing woman I had always dreamed you'd be. Probably even more so than I could ever imagine. I write this letter to you today to tell you that Daddy only wishes he was as strong as you saw him. I look at you everyday and know that there is at least one thing that I did right in my life. I can only hope that you will forgive me for leaving you and your mother the way I did. I don't want either one of you to think that this was your fault. It was of my own doing. I know that in my life I caused so many people so much pain and grief. I felt this was the only way that I would be able to free myself and others from the mess I have caused. I don't expect you to understand. I don't even expect you to forgive me. I just hope that you will look back at all the wonderful days you, your mother, and I spent together and smile. Because those were the days that I was truly happy in life. Thoughts of you and your mother were the only things that would keep me going each day. I was a coward.

I am hoping that on this, your 25th birthday, you are sitting around with your husband and your own daughter celebrating life and all the joys it can bring.

 

Laura was so stricken with emotions that she couldn't read anymore. JC picked up the paper, cleared his throat, and began to read:

And if you aren't you will find this family I speak of soon enough. Do you remember when we used to practice together in my studio? You told daddy that when you grew up, you were going to marry a man just like me. Someone who loved music just as much as us. I'm sure he is around there somewhere if you haven't found him already...Tapping away on the piano day and night...Just like you and I used to do.

I am hoping that what I have done has not kept you from following your dreams with music. I can never imagine what pain I have caused you but I am hoping that you are still that incredibly strong girl that I tucked into bed every night when you were little. I am praying that this will only make you that much stronger, make you work a little harder to control your own destiny and not let anyone else determine it for you. I am also praying that this will make your skin a little bit thicker, and make you that much wiser not only to the world but to the industry in which I gave up my life for. I wasn't a fighter, but I am hoping that somewhere in there, I have instilled that champion in you, my dear. In fact...I know I have.

There is nothing I could ever say or write to you that would express how sorry I am for what I've done. I leave you these gifts, praying you will keep them close to your heart. I am hoping that you will have ten times this many throughout your life.

 

JC continued to read as Laura looked down at the four Grammy awards lying on the bed as she listened. I would give you the world if I could, but I remember nights when you and I would crawl up in front of the tv and watch people receiving these, and it seemed to be the most incredible thing you had ever seen.

 

JC cleared his throat again and continued to read. You would say, "It's so shiny, Daddy. If I could get one of those I would be happy forever!"

JC looked towards Laura once he noticed that she had said the same thing at the same moment without even looking at the letter. JC stopped reading and watched Laura wipe the tears from her eyes. She asked him to continue.

When I received these, I dedicated each and every one of them to you...My beautiful little girl. Now that you are older, I felt it only right that you have them. This is as close as I could come to giving you the world, baby. I hope you will look at these and remember all the wonderful times we shared together. I love you my darling princess. I pray that this birthday is only one of the many incredible days that I hope you have in life.

With all my love,

Daddy

 

The room was silent.  Ten minutes went by before JC decided to ask, "Are you okay?"

 

"Yeah...Surprisingly I'm okay...I just never knew my father ever won these."

 

"You need me to stay or do you need some time alone?"

 

"No. I'm okay." she smiled as she wiped her eyes. "It's just a surprise is all." Laura took a deep breath and wiped her face.

 

"No you don't need me stay? Or no you don't need time alone?"

 

Laura looked up at him and wanted desperately to tell him that she would beg him to stay forever if it would make a difference. "Ummm...Either. You seemed to be in a rush when you came by. I didn't mean to keep you for as long as I did."

 

"No..It's not that. I just didn't want to stay too long and get into another fight with you."

 

"Oh...Well, after last night, I don't think that I would be up for a fight with you." she joked.

 

"Yeah. Speaking of that..." JC got up from the bed and walked over to the dresser before turning around to face her. "I was ummm..."

 

Laura jumped in to stop him. "I was drunk off my ass last night and I was feeling very lonely, extremely jealous, very angry, and very vulnerable. I was trying my best to not look at the two of you together. And I won't lie....I was trying my damndest to make you jealous."

 

"I knew you were drunk. I was more worried that he was taking advantage than anything else." JC couldn't even keep a straight face.

 

Laura laughed at his response. "Right."

 

"Yeah well I am not going to give you the advantage of knowing that you got the best of me last night." he stated as he played with different items on the dresser.

 

Laura looked down at the floor and said, "Did you tell her everything?"

 

"Yeah. Mostly. She doesn't need to know everything that went on. But she got the gist."

 

Laura perked up just a bit more and asked, "What did she say?"

 

"Nothing. She just nodded her head and went to her room for the rest of the night."

 

"I have to go and apologize to her brother later before he leaves town. I feel terrible."

 

"Terrible because you tried to beat up a friend? Or terrible because you tried to beat up your future brother-in-law?" she asked.

 

JC quickly looked up at her. "I feel terrible period. I don't get into fights."

 

Laura was trying to dig, but knew it was pointless. She looked up at JC and softly said, "Not that it matters much...But I'm sorry."

 

"It was just a bad night, Laura. Emotions had been running all day."

 

"Yeah well hopefully soon, we'll both not have to worry about that anymore once we finish this project." she said as she stood up to grab the last two boxes.

 

JC noticed his gift sitting on her bed and felt he should leave before she opened it. "I better get going."

 

"Okay." she said as she started to walk him out the door.

 

"Just let me know when you have gone through that cd."

 

"I will." she said as she watched him walk away.

 

Chapter 59 by DesperateThoughts
Author's Notes:

At 4 o'clock Hallie returned in a rush to pack up and get to the airport in time for her fligh

"Are you sure?  You don't need me to stay?" she asked.

"I've kept you here long enough, Hallie. I'm fine." Laura smiled.

 

Something inside Hallie believed her and she smiled back at her friend before giving her a long hug. Laura hurried and helped Hallie get all packed up and a ready to leave. Once Joey arrived she walked them both to the door.  "You know I am only a phone call and a flight away if you need me." Hallie said.

 

"I know."

 

"I love you."

 

"I love you too." Laura said as she kissed her friend on the cheek while hugging her tightly.

 

As Hallie and Joey were walking down the driveway, Laura called after her. "Thank you, Hallie!"

 

"What are friends for?" she smiled as she backed down the driveway waving before she got into the car.

 

Laura watched as they disappeared before going back inside. She noticed that the house seemed so empty and cold without her there. She walked into the living room and placed JC's cd in the stereo before walking over to the piano to grab the remote. She curled up on the couch with the throw blanket and pressed play. She closed her eyes tightly and listened to his voice and pictured him at the piano while he played the tune. She remembered what her dad had written in his letter. "...I'm sure he is around there somewhere if you haven't found him already...Tapping away on the piano day and night...Just like you and I used to do..."

 

She took the letter from her pocket and began to read it over and over again to herself before falling asleep on the couch.

 

At about 10 she woke up to the sound of someone knocking at her front door. She dragged herself off the couch and slowly walked over to the door and opened it. Rachel was standing there soaked from the rain.

 

"Rachel." Laura nodded.

 

"Laura." she nodded back. Laura stood there watching her as the rain kept coming down on her head.

 

"Can I come in?"

 

Laura moved over and opened the door wider for her to enter. "Thanks." Rachel said as she walked past her.

 

 Laura didn't know what to say to break the silence.  "Want something to drink?" she finally asked.

 

"No, I'm fine." Rachel said. "I would just like to talk if that is okay with you."

 

"What's there to talk about, Rachel?" she asked calmly.

 

"What isn't there to talk about!?" she yelled.

 

Laura kept her cool and walked into the living room and sat down on the couch before looking up at Rachel and crossing her arms. Rachel took a deep breath and began to speak. "You were my best friend...Practically my sister. I would have never thought you would have actually went and gotten with JC behind my back. You must have known you were in the wrong because neither of you told anyone."

 

"Don't even talk to me about friendship and stabbing you in the back. You've done it to me too many times to even count on two hands, Rachel. You've continuously lied, stolen, and cheated to get to the top." Laura said as she leaned over to get her laptop. "And just so you know...This was never about revenge. It just happened. We didn't want anyone to know because we didn't even know where it was going ourselves."

 

"JC was suppose to be off limits. But seeing how close you and Justin have become lately, I guess you want to keep it all a family affair."

 

Laura shot her a look. "You may have gotten one off at the club that night, but don't think you will get away with that shit tonight, Rachel."

 

Rachel backed away a bit when she heard the seriousness in her tone. Laura wanted to laugh, but knew it would be prudent to wait. "Don't come into my home talking to me as if I was some snake lying in wait and got with JC while you were still together. I'm not as conniving or as deceitful as you. An entire year went by before anything ever happened between us...And even that wasn't planned. I can't help who I fall in love with, Rachel. It just happened to be JC."

 

Tears were falling down Rachel's face as she looked towards the ceiling and huffed to herself. "Yeah, It just happened to be someone I have loved for a very long time, Laura!" she yelled.

 

Laura was now angry. She stood up and walked towards Rachel and yelled, "Don't you dare fuckin' talk to me about love! If you ever really loved him you wouldn't have cheated on him…Especially with Jerry. You would have never lied about him possibly being Nikky's father either!"

 

"You helped me keep that secret!" Rachel screamed back.

 

"What did you expect? I don't abandon my friends. No matter how wrong they are! I kept your secrets for you and look where it has gotten me...You come through like a hurricane and I am left to clean up your messes along the way. I am left to pick up the pieces and put everything back together. And you just go on about your business as if nothing ever happened. Then, for whatever reason, you decide to come back into his life and the both of you start to reminisce about your past together. And I, again, am left out in the cold to pick up the pieces once more. You screw up my working relationship with Jerry and this incredibly important deal that both me and JC have in the works, and you screw up my friendship with JC and expect me to turn over and say it's not a problem. You do all these terrible things to people and I always end up being the one to blame. I'm sick of it!!" she screamed.

 

Laura paced the floor and tried to calm down. "You lied and cheated and I end up the hated one? What kind of sense does that make? What do you tell people to make yourself look so good in the end? I would really like to know as a future reference. And the fact that he still loves you is beyond me. And since you have his son now, that clinches the deal."

 

"He told you he still loves me?" Rachel asked.

 

Laura walked towards Rachel and tapped her fingers to her temples, "You don't get it do you? When are you going to grow up and think about someone else besides yourself, Rachel?!"

 

"Look who's talking. You weren't thinking about me when you and JC were sleeping together." Rachel said as she rolled her eyes.

 

"You were happily married to Jerry. Why would I think about you? Why would you care either way if you were married?"

 

"It would have been respectful if you would have come to me first is what I am saying."

 

"Did you come to me first when you decided to date Ryan Miller? David Cheswick? Seth Richards? Should I go on with the list of guys I liked? You didn't like any of them, but you got with them anyway. Did you come to me out of respect when you decided to steal the song I had written for our high school talent show and sing it in front of the entire school and I was left out of the competition because I had no backup? Did you even care about me when you went and slept with that record producer I interned with at college. You remember when you dumped him? I got fired!"

 

"Well if you hated me so much for all this time why did you stay me friend? Why did you take me with you when you went places?" Rachel asked.

 

As Laura started to speak Rachel glanced over at the piano and looked at all the pictures of the two of them together...Happy. Laura noticed her gaze and cleared her throat as she continued. "I never hated you, Rachel. I was always afraid to take you anywhere in fear of losing jobs. But I took you, because that's what friends do. They help one another. They support each other. I have fought for you over and over again. And I don't want you to think I'm not happy that you finally got to where you wanted to be in your career. I'm just hurt by the way you went about getting there."

 

"You make me seem like this huge selfish bitch."

 

"Let's be honest...You are. But I've know that since kindergarten when you used to hog all my Barbies. You were a great friend most of the time. There were just moments when that great side of you was missing. Yeah, you were always by my side...Always down for the ride. But somewhere in there I just think that you used our friendship too much to get what you wanted."

 

Rachel shook her head from side to side and said, "I love how you make it seem like I was the only one using our friendship. Look where it got you. It got you into JC's bed."

 

Laura rolled her eyes and walked towards the backdoor and opened it hoping Rachel would get a clue to leave. "Look...It's obvious that you are too hard headed to understand what I am trying to say, so I am just going to stop trying. I'm also through talking about me and JC. That's a dead issue. I've already done what I have to do as far as JC and I are concerned. All he has to do is sign the divorce papers. Then the two of you won't need to worry about me any longer."

 

Rachel stood up and walked towards the door and stopped before leaving, "I'm sorry it had to end up this way."

 

"Well I'm even sorrier that I tried to be more of a friend to you, than you ever were to me." she stated before shutting the door in Rachel's face.

 

Laura pressed her back up against the door. Her body suddenly felt lighter and her mind refreshingly clearer. A smile crept across her face in realization that she finally stood up to her friend of over 20 years. She went and sat down on the couch and relished in feeling good about life for once in the past few months.

 

She looked down at the table and saw her fathers letter sitting there. She reached down and looked at it once more. Something inside her kept dragging her over to the piano. She pressed record on the small tape recorder sitting on top of the piano. She then slowly began to play and sing lowly to herself. She started to pick up the pace on the piano and the singing grew louder. Tears began to stream down her face as she played. She stopped and smiled to herself before rewinding the tape. As she played it back she frantically began writing the lyrics down before going back and writing the music. When she looked up at the clock, she noticed 3 hours had gone by. It was the fastest she had ever written a song in her life.

 

She laughed to herself and a deep grin appeared on her face as she got up and grabbed the phone and dialed.  "...Hey Christina. It's Laura Charles. Remember when we had talked a couple weeks ago about writing a song for your album? I think I have just what you were looking for."

 

She sat down at the piano as she continued to leave a message and sung the chorus as she played. "...Call me back as soon as you get this." she said before hanging up the phone.

 

She let the phone fall to her side as she leaned back on the coach smiling to herself. "Thank you, daddy." she whispered as she looked up towards the heavens.

 

Chapter 60 by DesperateThoughts

Rachel slowly walked across the backyard through the fence and into JC's. She could hear him down the hall in his bedroom singing the rubber ducky song. She inched her way into the bathroom and saw that he was giving Nikolas a bath. Nikky splashed around in the water each time JC squeezed the plastic toy to the tune he was singing. Nikolas recognized his mother standing there and outstretched his arms for her. JC turned around and saw that she was soaking wet.

"It looks like mommy got caught in all that rain outside." JC said to Nikolas. He grabbed a towel from the side of the tub and threw it towards her so she could dry off. He then grabbed another towel and picked up the baby and wrapped him tightly inside it. Rachel watched JC closely as he carried the baby back into his bedroom and laid him out and dressed him. He held Nikky in his arms and grabbed a book and began to read it aloud. Rachel would continuously look towards the ceiling to stop the tears from falling from her eyes. Laura's words played back in her mind over and over again as she thought back on everything that had just happened. She watched as Nikolas kicked his feet and grabbed at the book as he listened to JC reading to him. The baby soon drifted off to sleep and JC carefully took him into the new room he had specially decorated. Once he was finished he headed back down the hallway towards his room where he saw Rachel sitting on the edge of the bed crying.

"What's wrong?"

"I talked to Laura tonight."

"Oh." Trying not to seem too interested, he asked, "What did she have to say?"

"It was just a great deal of mean and spiteful conversation, but at the end she told me that she was just waiting on you to sign the papers so she could be rid of us both."
JC sat down next to her on the bed and looked down at the floor as he thought to himself. "I'm sorry you had to find out the way you did. I had planned on telling you everything last night after the party, but my emotions had the best of me and I couldn't control myself."

Rachel wiped her face and said, "You know for a long time I was scared to death this would happen." She slid off her jacket and began to dry her hair off with the towel.

"That what would happen? I would get into a fight with your brother?" he asked as he looked towards her completely confused.

"No..." She paused. "You and Laura." Rachel got up and walked over to the window and looked out at the sky. "Before I even got with Jerry, I could feel it coming. I could never hold your attention the way she did. She effortlessly took away all your focus on me and I could never understand how she did it. I envied her. I always have." she said as she looked back at him.

JC leaned back across the bed as he listened to her continue.

"She has this aura about her. Everyone that comes in contact with her ends up loving her just for who she is. Just a smile is all she has to give and people are captivated. For a long time I tried to figure out why you were so interested in everything she did. She would come over and you would perk up just a little bit more, and your smile would be just a little bit brighter. When you both spoke about music and about different things like that, it was as if I didn't even exist for those few moments. And when you both had to go away together for work I would be so terrified that you would come back and tell me something had happened between the two of you."

JC stood up and walked over to the dresser to take out his clothes. "You know I would never do that. I'm not you. I don't go around having affairs." he snapped.

Rachel rolled her eyes. "I guess I deserve that. But what I'm trying to explain is that...I had the man. But I was sitting there jealous of my best friend because she had your undivided attention anytime she walked in the room." Rachel got up and walked over to JC who was sifting through his drawers trying to avoid eye contact with her. "She didn't have to dress sexy for you. She didn't have to make sure she looked perfect for you. She didn't have to put any effort into holding a conversation with your friends...She didn't have to do anything at all. I wanted that. I missed having that with you...Jerry gave that to me. All I had to do was walk into a room and I had his attention...Day and night. Whenever I needed it, he was there giving me exactly what I wanted."

"Well then why aren't you there now, Rachel?" JC asked as he slammed his drawer shut and walked over to the bed. He slowly turned around and hesitated before he began to speak. "Is that your reasoning behind cheating on me with him? You were jealous and wanted attention? You threw away years of what I felt was just the beginning of the best times of our lives just for a few moments of attention every now and then?"

"You were always away, JC. Always in this city or that country."

"You understood that coming into this relationship, Rachel. I wasn't the only one who was away. Every chance you got you bolted out of here on any acting job your could get your hands on. You didn't see me sitting around looking for attention from another woman. When I wanted to be with you I got my ass on a plane and flew to wherever you were...No matter how far....Just to be with you. So don't bullshit me about me abandoning you or leaving you lonely!"

"I'm sorry. I don't want to fight with you. I just want to get this out in the open so we can start fresh." Rachel explained trying to calm JC down.

"Do you know how much I loved you? I did anything and everything for you! Yeah, Me and Laura had a lot in common. But whatever you thought you saw between the two of us was simply me being amazed by her talent. I still am. That's just pure insecurity on your part. You had me eating out of the palm of your hand, Rachel." JC said as he looked up towards her. "Opening my eyes and seeing yours gazing back at me every morning was enough to make me melt. I loved everything about you. The way you were so playful, so jovial and excited anytime you would beat me at cards. The long talks we would have every night before we drifted off to sleep in each other's arms."

Rachel walked over and stood in front of JC wanting to touch him so badly. JC let his finger tips lightly graze her face. "The way your cheeks would turn red anytime I kissed you right here." he said as he let his fingertips slide down the side of her neck. "There were so many things I adored about you...So many things I still do."

"Do you still love me?" she asked as she started to unbutton her soaked shirt.

"I love you for giving birth to our son. And another part of me loves you because you are you. Am I still in love with you? I don't know right now."

"I understand...I'll just have to gain it back somehow." she said as she lightly tugged at his pajama bottoms to pull him in closer to her. Rachel slowly ran her hands up his wifebeater and let her fingernails graze his skin as she slid them back down to the waistline of his pants. JC eyes fluttered in the back of his head. She smiled and lightly ran her tongue over his neck and up his chin to his lips. He lightly kissed her back and placed his hands on her sides.

"I missed this." she stated in between kisses.

"So did I." he replied as the kisses grew more intense.

~~~~~~~~~~

"This is so amazing JC!" Rachel said loudly as she looked at him threw the glass window.
"Well we can only mess around for a few minutes until the guys get here, but I wanted to see what you can do." he joked to her.
JC told her to step closer to the mic and to place the headphones over her ears. He pressed play on the cd and told her to go for it. JC tried his best not to laugh when her voice changed pitch 5 times in two seconds. She laughed and cleared her throat and tried again. JC nodded to himself as he listened to her belt out the song. She didn't sound half bad.

"So what did you think?"

"You and Jennifer Lopez could give each other some competition."

"Oooowww. That was cruel." she smiled. JC just laughed and motioned for her to come back into the room. Chris and Joey walked in laughing and soon stopped when they spotted Rachel there.

"Hey." Chris said as the smile slowly faded from his face.

"Hey. What's so funny?" JC asked as he spun around in his chair.

"Nothing we were just talking to Christina. She's down the hall tellin jokes."

"Christina Aguilera?!" Rachel asked excitedly.

"Yeah!" Chris mocked.

"Damn Rachel. You sound star struck." JC joked.

"Well I am!" she yelled. "Is there any way we could sneak down there for a quick hello and an introduction?"

JC agreed. Joey was about to warn him but Chris stopped him and gave a sinister grin. Rachel decided to let JC go in first and wait a few minutes before walking in there. She was going to make it seem like she was looking for him rather than trying to meet Christina. JC mocked her childish scheme and went inside ahead of her.

"Yo, Rob. What's up?" JC said as he leaned over and shook the producer's hand.

"Not much. Just about to lay down a few tracks with Christina." he pointed out.

JC glanced over through the glass and saw Christina standing there talking to 4 other band members as they waited. JC went back to talking to the three men in the sound room. He could hear Christina's voice through the speakers as she joked around with the crew. Suddenly a familiar voice rang out and he immediately turned and noticed it was Laura. He moved to the side so that she wouldn't see him.

"Are we ready guys?" Laura asked. "I only want her to hear what it sounds like first. I'm warning you now, Christina. It's nothing that you have done before. You might need some time to get into it."

Rachel soon walked in and said, "Oh there you are, JC. The guys are looking for you."
JC stopped her, placing his finger over his lip to signal her to be quiet as he pointed towards the booth. Rachel looked and noticed Laura at the piano. They both stood there quietly watching and listening.

"Well I read the lyrics and they are incredible. I heard a bit of it on my answering machine last week. I leave myself in your hands, maestro. Just let me hear it already." Christina demanded.

Rob looked over at the man sitting next to him and said, "Terrence...I want to record this session. Don't tell them though. Just go and stall for me somehow so I can get ready."

"That good huh?" JC asked as he sat down on a nearby stool away from Laura's direct gaze.
"Have you read the lyrics? They were playing just instrumental a minute ago. It's funky as hell." he said as he handed JC the sheet music.

JC looked down and began to read. Rachel leaned over to read over his shoulder, but had no idea what she was looking at and gave up. She walked over and grabbed a stool and went and sat next to JC. She entwined her arm within his as they watched Laura and Christina through the glass.

"Okay. You done checking the guitars, Terrence? Or do we have to shoot you to get some work done around here?" Laura smiled.

She told Christina to come in anytime she wanted to try it out. Christina nodded as she sipped her bottled water. Laura adjusted her mic so she could play and sing at the same time without any trouble. She looked up for a cue from Rob and spotted Rachel and JC sitting to the side. Her heart suddenly began to beat faster and her hands were trembling.

She noticed how close Rachel was sitting to JC, but tried her best to focus her attention back to what she was doing. With a cue from Rob, Laura looked over at the band members and nodded to them as she began to play and speak softly. She closed her eyes and began to sing.

Well I, thought I knew you
Thinking that you were true
Guess I, I couldn't trust
Called your bluff, time is up
'Cause I've had enough

Laura opened her eyes and looked straight towards Rachel as she continued to sing.

You were, there by my side
Always, down for the ride
But your, joy ride just came down in flames
'Cause your greed sold me out in shame
After all of the stealing and cheating
You probably think that I hold resentment for you
But, oh no, you're wrong
'Cause if it wasn't for all that you tried to do
I wouldn't know just how capable I am to pull through
So I wanna say thank you

Rachel rolled her eyes and looked away from Rachel towards Christina who was bobbing her head to the beat.

'Cause it makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter

JC smiled as he remembered her father saying the same thing about her being a fighter in his last letter to her. He watched her intently as she sang her heart out with her head pointed towards the ceiling. He looked over at Rob and Terrence who were sitting there jamming along. He grinned and focused his attention back on Laura. He noticed her gaze was directed at Rachel, who was quietly sitting there glaring back at Laura.

oh, oh, oh, oh
Never saw it coming
All of your backstabbing
Just so you could cash in
On a good thing before I realized your game
I heard you're going round
Playing the victim now
But don't even begin
Feeling I'm the one to blame
'Cause you dug your own grave

Laura sang with all her might as she moved her head from side to side with the beat still focusing her attention at Rachel.  The words Laura sang were all to familiar to Rachel from the night they argued at her house. Rachel noticed JC seemed to be in another world as he stared towards Laura. She looked back over at the band and noticed Christina's fist pounding at the air as she grooved with Laura and sang the chorus with her. Everyone in the room couldn't help but get goose bumps as they listened to the two women sing at the top of their lungs with such force and heart. Rachel rubbed her arms trying to act like none of it phased her.

'Cause it makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
Makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
It makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter

Laura finally looked over at JC as she started to sing the bridge. Memories ran through her brain of all the times he said he loved her. She couldn't help but think it was all bullshit because of the loss he had felt after losing Rachel. Just a guy in denial of his true feelings for someone else. She remember the night when he acted to cruelly to her in their hotel room. She suddenly felt like she had been a temporary fill-in for her ex-best friend.

How could this man I thought I knew
Turn out to be unjust, so cruel
Could only see the good in you
Pretended not to see the truth
You tried to hide your lies, disguise yourself
Through living in denial
But in the end you'll see
You won't stop me
I am a fighter and I
I ain't goin' stop
There is no turning back
I've had enough

Laura closed her eyes. JC noticed the tears streaming down Laura's face as she sang. Rachel couldn't stand to listen to the song anymore and wanted to leave. She went to get JC's attention but knew it was hopeless once she saw the look in his eyes.

'Cause it makes me that much stronger
Thought I would forget
But I remember
I remember

Christina loudly clapped and ran over to the piano and hugged Laura tightly. "You are the fuckin' shit, girl!" she yelled. "You need to go and record that yourself. That was incredible!"
Laura smiled as she wiped away a few tears. "Nah, I'll leave that to you...Besides, I don't have the range you have, and that's how I wrote it."

"You are very fuckin' close to it. I mean, what you just did...That was all heart. You were on some personal type shit there. Everyone in here could feel that!" Christina pointed out.
Laura laughed and tried to minimize it's importance. She didn't look over at JC or Rachel. "This is what I do. I write things people can relate to. It's just apart of the job. That's how I get the big bucks."

Christina knew she was lying, but gave in to her explanation. "Whatever. I do want you to do background vocals with me though. I won't record it unless you agree."

Laura sat there for a moment deciding if she should. She reluctantly agreed. Rachel noticed they were about to enter into the sound room and wanted to get out of there before she had to deal with Laura. She nudged JC and asked if he was ready to go. He nodded in agreement, never looking over at her as he continued to watch Laura. Rachel grabbed his arm and lightly tugged. JC got up and slowly followed her towards the door. Laura looked over towards the sound room and went to speak to Rob and spotted JC starting to leave. He slightly smiled at her before disappearing from the room. Laura just stood there in a daze until Christina nudged her to come into the sound room to hear the song.

About an hour later Jerry popped his head into the room. "Hey, Christina?"

"Yeah, Jer?" She asked as she looked up from the couch.

"Can I borrow Laura for a minute?" he asked.

"Why you askin' me?"

"Well I didn't know if you guys were still working." he replied trying to be polite.

"I'll be back in a minute.  Write down what we were talking about in regards to that verse.  It sounded good." Laura told Christina as she got up to leave the room.

When Laura got out into the hallway, Jerry said, "Follow me please." and walked down the hallway. He stopped about 5 doors down and leaned up, looking through a small window to see which sound room he was at. Laura caught up with him and noticed he was hesitant to go inside.

"What's wrong?" she asked. Jerry didn't speak. Laura looked over his shoulder into the room and could see JC lying across the long leather couch with Rachel curled up between his legs. They both were laughing loudly and looking towards the rest of the group. Laura didn't know how to react. She placed her hand on Jerry's shoulder and was about to speak, but she couldn't find the words. Jerry placed his hand over hers and squeezed it lightly. It was as if he knew she was feeling just as hurt as he was. Jerry took a deep breath and gathered up the strength to open the door. Laura's cell phone began to ring and she turned her back to the door to answer it.

JC looked up when he heard a lightly tap on the door. He could see Jerry standing there and recognized Laura who wasn't facing him. He and Rachel quickly sat up as though they had both been caught in the act.

"Can I speak to you for a minute, JC?" Jerry asked. The room grew completely silent as everyone looked towards Jerry and then to JC. JC nodded and went to remove his leg from the other side of Rachel's body. He walked over towards the door trying to figure out what was going on. Rachel went to follow him, but Jerry stopped her before she could even get off the couch. "I need to speak with him alone."

JC followed Jerry back out into the hallway. Laura was still on the phone. Jerry motioned for her to follow them down the hall. JC could hear Laura giving someone directions to her house and wondered who she was talking to.

"Great, I'll see you at 7 then...I can't wait." Laura said before hanging up the phone and placing it back into her pocket.

Jerry walked into an empty sound room and motioned for them to have a seat. He leaned back on a nearby stool and stood there in silence. Laura and JC were visibly uncomfortable.
"Neither of you have anything to say about this?"

They both grew extremely nervous. "Anything to say about what, Jerry?" Laura asked.
"About the fact there we are less than two weeks away from deadline and I only have 12 songs to work with...Three of which are total shit."

With everything that had been going on, both JC and Laura hadn't noticed that the time had completely flown by them. Jerry continued to speak, "It's like the two of you didn't even work on this together! It looks like one of you would start one half, hand it to the other person to work on, and so on and so on...It doesn't even flow! What the hell is going on here?"

JC sat on the edge of the couch bent over with his elbows on his thighs. "Things have been really hectic lately. We've both been really busy with our own personal issues."

"I don't need you to explain anything for me thank you." Laura interrupted.

Jerry didn't want to hear any excuses. "I don't give a fuck! We all have personal shit going on, but you don't see me slacking off because my wife left me, moved into another man's house, and then took away a baby I've thought was my son ever since he was born. I get my ass up every morning and do my job. No matter how much it hurts to have to deal with those same people...I bring my ass here. So don't give me fuckin' excuses about you and your personal issues. That's bullshit. There is no excuse! You've had more than enough time to meet your requirements."

"You're absolutely right, Jerry. There is no excuse here. We should have had this done by now." Laura said calmly as she tried to make sure things didn't get out of hand.

"I know I'm right. Especially as far as you are concerned, Laura. No matter how much I don't want to admit it, I can feel for JC. I'm sure things are all screwed up right now in his life, but you have no problems from where I am sitting. Just pure slacking on your end."

JC was about to step in and say something in her defense, but found himself stunned when Laura walked over to Jerry and said, "You don't know anything about my personal life, Jerry, so don't you ever fuckin' assume you know me."

Jerry put his hand up, "Ok, I'm sorry."

Laura turned around and went to sit down on the couch until visions from earlier of JC and Rachel danced across her mind. She walked over and stood close to the door. Jerry immediately noticed that the two of them seemed very distant. "Is there something going on here that I need to know about?" he asked.

"No." Laura stated abruptly.

"It's obvious that the both of you have a hard time just being in the same room with one another. I'm hoping that what I have been reading in the tabloids isn't true about the two of you. I need to know now, so that I can make other arrangements if needed."

"You know better than to depend on tabloids for facts, Jerry. Other arrangements won't be necessary." JC said. "We'll have it done."

"I personally don't think we will, Jerry." Laura said as she leaned back against the wall.

"Why not?" JC asked.

Laura looked over at him and then over at Jerry and said, "JC and I have come to a fork in the road. Both of us are going in different directions. Those last three songs are a complete reflection of that. If we keep working 'together' the next few are bound to be just as bad, if not, worse."

"No chance at all that the two of you can get on the same path?" Jerry asked as he crossed his arms.

"No." Laura said as she looked down towards her shoes.

"Yes." JC blurted out.

Laura looked over at him. He glanced over at her and then back at Jerry and asked, "How many till we meet our goal?"

"If you re-write the last three...You will have one more to make it 13. That's all I need."

"No way to extend this at all?"

"It's already been extended. We need this done!" Jerry said loudly.

"We can't do it, Jerry. Plain and simple." Laura stated matter-of-factly.

"You two can't get along for at least a couple hours each day to finish this?"

The room was silent as neither of them answered him. An idea quickly came to Jerry's mind.

"This is what we will do...I need you guys to meet with me the day after tomorrow at 8pm. We'll figure out something."

"Like what?" Laura asked.

"Don't worry about it. Leave it up to me. Just meet me. I'll send a limo to pick you both up. Bring all your material with you."

"Fine" they both stated.

Jerry got up and went to leave the room. He stopped and looked over at the both of them and shook his head. "It's a shame."

JC and Laura looked over at him to see what he was talking about. "The two of you always seemed like a perfect match. At times it was almost like you were destined to work together. Sheet music is no good without the perfect lyrics to compliment it."

Jerry had no idea just how right he was about that.

Chapter 61 by DesperateThoughts
 

Two days had gone by and Laura was frantically trying to focus on finishing up the project. 

 

"When's the limo coming?" Justin asked, looking up from the piano. 

 

Laura was rushing back and forth across the living room.  "Somewhere near 8. I have no idea. Jerry just said he was sending a limo to get us." she answered as she grabbed documents and stuffed them into her messenger bag. 

 

"Oh..." Justin said as he sat down on the piano stool and watched Laura lifting up seat cushions looking for missing papers.

 

In his attempt to help, Justin looked in the stool he was sitting on and found some sheet music. "Is this it?" he asked as he handed it to her.

 

Laura looked over and read the title, "How Do You Keep The Music Playing?" She stood there and remembered the last time she had worked on it. She and JC had been in his studio earlier in the day before they made love later on the same night.  They had talked about how many kids they had planned on having.  It seemed so long ago to Laura.  "No. That's not it." she said as she went back to her search.

 

Justin shrugged his shoulders and looked down at the music and decided to play it. Laura didn't notice it until he started to sing.

 

(Male Voice)

How do you keep the music playing

How do you make it last

How do you keep the song from fading

Too fast

 

(Female Voice)

How do you lose yourself to someone

And never lose your way

How do you not run out of new things

to say

 

(Male Voice)

And since we know we're always changing

How can it be the same

 

(Female Voice)

And tell me how year after year you're sure your heart will fall apart

each time you hear

his name….

 

The music and lyrics on the sheet ended abruptly and Justin couldn't continue the song. "This is a good song so far, Laura. When are you going to finish it."

 

"I'm not."

 

"Why not?"

 

"I can't even be in the same room with the person who helped me write it."

 

He quickly read over the lyrics again. He then noticed the last set of vocals and looked towards Laura and noticed her eyes were slightly wet with tears."

 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

 

She shook her head, "You didn't."

 

"This isn't going to be on the album?"

 

"I don't think so. I think I want to hold off on this one for awhile." she said as she grabbed it and stuffed it into her bag. Justin nodded his head in agreement and went back to helping her with her quest.

 

At 7:30 the limo pulled up to Laura's house. She gathered up all her music and rushed out the door. JC was already inside. They both sat on opposite ends of the car in silence the entire ride.

 

Around 45 minutes later, they arrived at their destination.  As the limo pulled up to the small building Laura and JC noticed Jerry standing outside waiting on them. They both got out and looked around and noticed there wasn't a soul for miles. The building was surrounded by trees and was set very far off the main road at the end of a winding dirt road.  There were hardly any lights on the dirt road leading up to the place.  Laura was slightly apprehensive and JC also seemed uneasy about the situation.  "So what are we doing way out here, Jerry?" he asked.

 

"Come inside and I will explain everything."

 

They grabbed their things and reluctantly followed him into the building. They went passed rooms filled with paint buckets, ladders, rolled up carpeting, plastic drop cloths, and hardware tools, and furniture that was still wrapped in plastic. At the end of the hallway they entered what seemed to be the newer part of the building. Jerry made a left into what seemed to be a large recording studio. Both Laura and JC were taken aback by the room. Everything they laid their eyes on was brand new. The room even smelled like freshly cut wood. There was a large black Baby Grande piano sitting in the corner of the large sound proof booth along with various other guitars, keyboards, drums, and other equipment.

 

Outside of the booth in the other room there were two very large black plush couches, a long soundboard with four computer monitors placed inside the cabinets. There were three keyboards hooked up to three laptops and small stools over in a corner of the room. They noticed a very large cabinet that was stocked halfway with junk food items from chips to Hostess cakes. The studio was completely layed out.  There was even a mid-size refrigerator near the door.

 

Jerry went on to explain that he has recently purchased the building and was going to rent it out to various artists for recording and producing tracks.  He wanted to eventually start his own label if things went as well as he expected them to.  Both JC and Laura walked around the room checking out all the equipment. In those few minutes they weren't two ex-lover's who had been at each other's throat's.  They were two artists in awe of all the newest instruments and tools that could use to further their crafts. They both eventually found themselves in the sound proof booth looking at all the mics and other new equipment. Neither of them noticed the door shutting behind them. JC went to turn the knob to go back into the other room, but noticed it was locked.  He motioned for Jerry's attention. Jerry put his hand out to his ear and mouthed that he couldn't hear them. He walked over to the board and pressed the button. "What did you say?"

 

"The door is locked. Can you open it and let us out?"  JC asked as he pulled at the door.

 

"Sorry. No can do, guys."

 

"What?" Laura asked with a confused look on her face.

 

"The two of you are going to get this project done before the weekend is through. You're not leaving here until the songs are finished."

 

"You're kidnapping us?" JC laughed.

Chapter 62 by DesperateThoughts

Jerry grinned and nodded his head. Laura laughed lightly, "Yeah.  He's got to be kidding."

The smile faded from Jerry's face. "I don't joke when it comes to business, Ms. Charles...I put up my job and my reputation to get this deal. Neither of you are going to screw me over just because, for whatever reason, you can't get along anymore. You better get over it now. I mean, I have all week...Do you?"

JC and Laura suddenly realized that Jerry wasn't joking. JC brought his hands to his head and ran his fingers through his hair trying to think. Laura went over to the door and tried her hardest to pull it open.


"It's no use, Laura. The door is controlled by this remote." Jerry pointed out. "I'm going to let you out of there as soon as I leave this room. There is a bathroom right through those doors. The fridge is fully stocked along with that cabinet. Microwave works perfectly, cause I just had a burrito before you two arrived.  There are also blankets and pillows in the bathroom for the both of you to rest on if you get tired from all the work I know you are going to be doing."

JC rolled his eyes and lifted up his middle finger to Jerry. "Now that isn't the reaction I expected from a professional such as yourself, Mr. Chasez."

"People are going to be looking for us, you know." JC yelled.

"Already been taken care of...Look kids, I would love to stay and chat, but I am on a pretty tight schedule. Have fun...I'll be back on Sunday to see how you kids are doing." He said sarcastically as he went to leave the room.

Jerry punched in a bunch of numbers on a key pad by the door and then proceeded to leave. JC and Laura heard and instant click. JC turned the knob on the door and found it unlocked. He ran over to the other door to catch up to Jerry but noticed the studio door now locked. JC could see Jerry smiling through the glass. Jerry put up his two index fingers at them and winked before turning around and walking away.

They both silently paced the room for almost two hours trying to figure out how to get out of the windowless studio. Both took turns trying to punch in the right sequence by the door, but it was no use. They were stuck there...Together.

After sitting in complete silence for another hour, JC decided enough was enough. "You think we should start working as opposed to just sitting here and sulking?"

Laura looked up at him from the opposite couch and said, "What's the point, JC? It's just going to turn to shit. I'm not even going to waste my time. You can if you want to, but I could care less at this point."

"Come on...Let's just get this done so we can get the hell out of here, Laura." he said trying not to start a fight. "I don't want to be here just as much as you, but we might as well use the time to get this shit done so we won't have to worry about it ever again."

Laura didn't want to admit that JC was right. She just reached down and grabbed her bag and began to take out her sheet music. Her cell phone dropped out onto the floor. She quickly grabbed it and stood up and started to dial Justin's number. JC just sat back and silently watched her struggle to get a signal. He folded his hands across his chest and continued to watch her curse as she walked around the entire room with the phone. In her frustration she threw it across the room onto the couch.

"Are you done?" JC asked.

Laura nodded and placed her hand on her forehead.

"You can't get a signal in here. If you were outside this room, maybe. I figured you, of all people, would know that…Especially after all the times you used to tell me I needed to get a phone installed in my home studio because there is no cell reception down there." he joked.

Laura couldn't help but smirk at her own stupidity. JC smiled when he saw her start to loosen up. The rest of the evening was filled with petty little arguments about song re-writes, melodies, and lyrics. Both were determined to show the other one up.

Laura decided to take a small break from working and walked over to the fridge to get a bottle of water. JC glanced over and spotted few bottles of Coke and politely asked her to hand him one before he went back to humming and writing down lyrics. JC soon felt something cold on his shoulder. "Thanks." he said as he grabbed the bottle. He was about to open it until he noticed it was water. "I asked for a Coke."

"I know. But you get too hyper and there's nowhere for you to go and work off your energy." Laura stated as she sat down next to him at the small table.

Clearly agitated, JC looked over at Laura and said, "I didn't ask for water. I asked you for a Coke. Why didn't you just give me what I asked for?"

Laura stopped in mid-sip when she heard what JC had just said to her. He went back to writing something down and was stunned by a splash of cold water hitting his shirt. "Oh no you didn't!"

"Oh yes I did. I'm not your slave. If you want a Coke then go get it yourself."

JC shook his head from side to side, "Oh no...That's ok...Water seems great right about now." he stated as he opened up the bottle and took a small sip.

Laura went back to reading over the sheet music JC had placed in her pile. A loud scream bellowed from her lips when she felt the icy cold water flowing down through her hair and across her face. Laura jumped up from her chair trying to keep the water from getting all over her clothes.  "Ahhh!! Oh my God...I can't believe you just did that!" she yelled.

JC couldn't stop laughing. Laura looked over at the table and saw her half-full bottle of water sitting on the edge. JC noticed where her gaze was pointed and lunged forward to grab it before she did. The two of them struggled to get the bottle from one another. Laura started to shake it up and down and it squirted all over the both of them. They wrestled their way to the floor and he finally got the upper hand. He straddled Laura and pinned her arms down to the floor and grinned as he said, "Now what you gonna do?"

Laura continued to struggle to break free. "Come on now. You know you can't get away from me." JC laughed.

They both had been smiling at one another, but the smiles soon faded from their lips and the room suddenly grew quiet.  Laura looked away from JC. "Can you please let me up?" she asked.

JC quickly got up and put out his hand to help her off the floor. She ignored his gesture and got up on her own and walked into the bathroom. JC didn't know why he had said what he said.

Laura soon walked out of the bathroom with two towels and handed him one before she walked over to the table to clean up the mess they had made. "Let's get back to work, Josh." she said quietly as she placed the towel on the chair and sat down. He noticed she was soaked and shivering. He took his sweater off the couch and handed it to her before finding his place next to her to continue writing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Geeze, what time is it?" Laura yawned as she looked around for a clock.

JC looked down at his watch.  "It's 5am."

"You want to wrap it up and get some sleep? Start fresh when we both aren't so exhausted?" she asked.

"Sounds good."

Laura got up and stretched before walking into the bathroom to get the blankets and pillows. As she was coming out she didn't notice JC right in front of her and bumped into him.  A shiver ran down her back when she felt his hand touch her shoulder to brace her.  He apologized and walked passed her into the bathroom, gently shutting the door behind him.  Laura walked over and laid out blankets and pillows on both couches. He came out and noticed she had made up a place for a him to sleep. "Thank you. You didn't have to do that."

"I know." she said as she looked up at him. She noticed he only had on a pair of boxers and a t-shirt. She suddenly felt very nervous. "Umm...If you want my pillow it's right there." she pointed out as she breezed past him to go into the bathroom. JC grabbed the extra pillow and went and turned out most of the lights. He then got comfortable on the couch. Laura slowly opened up the door to see what he was doing. When she noticed that his head was not facing her, she turned off the light and quickly walked over to the other couch. JC noticed his sweater was the only thing she had on. His cock began to stir as he watched her. "My clothes got soaked from earlier. I hung them in the bathroom to dry." she explained.

He nodded and laid back on the couch. Laura leaned over and turned off the last light before lying down herself. Five minutes later, the silence was broken when she asked, "What made you want to get together with me?"

JC was puzzled by her question.  "Well why did you want to get with me, Laura?"

"I asked you first."

JC was silent as he tried to come up with right words. Laura burst out and said, "Because I feel as though I were just a replacement or fill-in for you. A temporary thing until Rachel came crawling back to you."

"Why would you ever think that?" JC asked as he let his head rest in his hand.

"I mean just look around. It's like you and I never existed. Everything seems to be back to the way it used to be as far as your life is concerned. You look very happy."

"Well I am." he replied.

Not expecting his reply to be so frank, Laura sat there feeling like the wind had been knocked out of her.   She had wanted him to tell her how miserable he was without her. She wanted him to tell her that he couldn't stop thinking about her. She wanted him to tell her he was nothing without her. She wanted him to feel just a small portion of what she felt the day he walked out on her.

"I guess that's all that should matter then. I'm glad you've found happiness again." she muttered as she turned around to face the back of the couch.

JC turned onto his back and placed his arm behind his head as he looked towards the ceiling.

 "Did you sign the papers yet?" she asked lowly.

JC's eyes drifted towards her and then back to the ceiling. "No."

"What's stopping you?"

"Been really busy with other things."

Laura rolled her eyes. "I see."

"How's life with Justin treatin' ya?" he asked.

Laura turned over and looked towards him as asked, "Life with Justin?"

"Yeah. You two have become very close since...You know."

"We hang out. He keeps me company when I need it...And when I don't. I guess he feels bad for me or something. He's taking pity on me."

JC laughed aloud, "Yeah, I'm sure that's what it is. He's spending all this time with you because he feels sorry for you...Right. Just like how much pity Rick was placing on you when he was at your house all night before he left town a few weeks ago."

'Could he possibly be jealous?' Laura thought to herself. "What exactly are you trying to say, JC?" she asked as she turned her head to look at him.

"Nothing at all...Let's just get some sleep. We have a long day tomorrow." he stated as he turned his body away from her and closed his eyes.

The next day JC woke up feeling extremely good. He hadn't had a good nights sleep ever since Rachel and Nikolas moved in with him. He'd be up half the night tossing and turning because the baby would be crying. He knew it was a new situation for all of them and that the baby missed Jerry. He knew it would take some time getting used to, but he couldn't help but want to jump off the roof when he would be startled awake by the baby screaming at the top of his lungs. JC slowly sat up and stretched out his arms. He looked down at his watch and noticed it was 2 in the afternoon. He looked over at the other couch where Laura had been sleeping and saw she wasn't there. He scanned the room and spotted her at the keyboard with headphones on. He got up and walked over to her and pulled one earphone back. "Why didn't you wake me up?"

Laura stopped playing and took off the headphones. "You looked so peaceful, I just decided to let you sleep."

Even now after everything that happened, she still seemed to know how to warm his heart with the slightest of gestures.  "Oh...Thanks." he said as he walked by her to go to the bathroom.

JC stared at himself in the mirror and shook his head from side to side before turning on the water and washing his face. When he came back out he grabbed a bottle of soda from the fridge and some chips from the cabinet. They both immediately began working on finishing up the project.

The mood was a bit different from the night before. Neither of them really spoke to one another unless it was absolutely necessary. As the day progressed they seemed to be getting along more and more.  The petty arguments from the day before seemed to be non-existent. 

In between her work, Laura's head began to hurt.  She got up to go and find some aspirin in the bathroom. When she returned, JC asked her to hand him the last batch of papers out of his bag. She went over and sifted through his bag and took out the small stack of papers. She placed them down on the table.

"Can you find me all the sheet music for 'Slingshots'?"

Laura looked through and started pulling out music for the song. She suddenly stopped when she came across the divorce papers she had given JC a while back. He recognized the documents. "I forgot to take those out of there the day you gave them to me. You can just stuff them back in my bag." he said before looking back down at the keyboard.

Laura placed it on the table by itself and said, "No, I think I will leave it out so that you won't forget to take care of it before we leave, JC."

He sat that quietly and looked at her and finally said, "ok."

He then asked her if she could sing for him while he played the tune to make sure it sounded good before throwing it in their final stack.
 
Love me when nobody else can see
Touch my soul
Then treat me
Like a stranger
This is not the way I want to feel
Should have known
A love this strong
Would bring some danger
But if it's all in my head
I'll find a way to make it end
It's magic
And it's tragic
Slingshots
Whisper
My tear drops
An answer
What am I to you?
Slingshots
You forgot
My kisses
Don't miss this
What am I to you?.......

While JC listened to her sing the song, he could tell Laura didn't feel comfortable singing it. "Yeah. That's sounds good. I'm sure the rest of it is fine." he said as he stopped playing.

"You sure?" she asked before placing down the music.

"Yeah."

"Okay. Well, I'm going to lay down for a while to get rid of this headache. All that's left is the last song."
Laura walked over and got underneath the blanket on the couch. I don't know what you want to do as far as that is concerned. I am out of inspiration.

JC bounced ideas off her and they both agreed that they didn't want to have to struggle all night long with a brand new song and lyrics.

"Whatever happened to that song we started a long time ago together?" he asked as he got up and grabbed her bag looking for the music
"
What song?" she asked with her eyes half open.

"Umm...What was it called...How do you keep the music playing?" JC leafed through her papers. "Ah, here it is."

"I'd rather not finish that one right now, JC. I think I would rather save it for something else if you don't mind."

"Uhh....Well it's half finished. We both have been writing it. Let's just use it so we can get done."

Laura got up from the couch and walked over to him and snatched the papers from his hand. "I said I would rather not, JC."

He backed off and let her have them.  He knew not to get in her way when she was that angry. Laura went over to place the music back in her bag but instead threw it in the trashcan and laid back down on the couch.

Laura soon drifted off the sleep and JC took the opportunity to retrieve the music from the trash. He noticed a couple pages were missing and snuck over to her bag to find them. As he quietly leafed through her papers he came across a small photo. He picked it up and instantly smiled when he saw it. It was a picture of the both of them dancing together at her birthday party. Hallie had snapped the photo from across the room.  JC smiled one last time before placing it back where he found it. He folded up the music and placed it in his back pocket. He went back over to the keyboard and placed his headphones on and began to work on the final song.

Laura was awaken by the sounds of a soft melody playing. She could hear JC humming and lowly singing along. She couldn't help but laugh at his attempt to sound like a female for the first part of the chorus.
 
[Female Chorus:]
You're the reason
Why I found my way,
And you're the reason
Why I feel this way
(You're the reason)
And you're the reason
Why I have to sing,
I had to let you know
You're my everything

JC stopped singing and looked over at Laura who was trying to hold back her laughter.  "Well if you were awake helping me out, there wouldn't be anything to laugh at." he smiled.

Laura slowly stretched and walked over to him at the keyboard. She grabbed the notebook and had him start it over again. She sang the first part of the song. JC hadn't gotten any further than the chorus. Laura shook her head and grabbed a pencil and agan to write and sing as he continuously played the melody to help her come up with the words he couldn't.

[female:]
So many times I've been alone,
I didn't know what to do
I don't know where I'd be
If I didn't have, I didn't have you
You comfort me
Make me believe,
Give me the strength I need
Since you came into my life
It's been so heavenly, heavenly

[Female Repeat chorus]
You're the reason
Why I found my way,
And you're the reason
Why I feel this way
(You're the reason)
And you're the reason
Why I have to sing,
I had to let you know
You're my everything

He was completely stunned that she could come up with the right words so fast. He'd seen her work like this before, but for some reason it felt like the first time.  He was amazed that she knew where he wanted to go with the song. He sat there completely astonished at how in tune they really were with one another.  He'd missed having that connection with her…With another human being for that matter. The words suddenly came to JC's mind and he started to sing.  Laura struggled to write it all down. He couldn't help but look at her as the words flowed from his lips.

(Male:)
So many things
I wanna say to you,
I give my all to you
Just because
You came around
And gave me

Laura knew exactly where he was going and joined in simultaneously with him as he sang:

(Male & Female)
All your, All your love

[Male & Female:]
I would sacrifice
My very life,
All you have to do
Is say the word (Say the word)
And there would never be
No other, no other girl

They both simultaneously came in and sang the chorus together.

You're the reason
Why I found my way,
And you're the reason
Why I feel this way
(You're the reason)
And you're the reason
Why I have to sing,
I had to let you know
You're my everything

They both couldn't help but grin when it sounded so perfect as they hummed together. Laura jumped in with the bridge to the song and just let herself go.

Don't you know,
that you're my reason
Why I, Why I sing
Oh yeah...
No, I could never do anything
Without you... you, you...

JC and Laura slapped each others hand in recognition of the incredible job they had done…together. They stacked all their completed work in one pile on top of the desk and sat down on the couch giving sighs of relief that they were finally finished.

"What time is it?"

"Almost 10."

"You don't think Jerry would be stopping by anytime soon to check on us early do you?"

"Nope." JC quickly answered. He let his head fall to the back of the couch before cursing to himself.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." he shook his head. "I had just promised Nikky that I would take him to the petting zoo this weekend.  He is too little to understand anyway…But I just feel bad."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"I didn't mean about this. I meant about keeping her secret from you."

JC put his hand up to stop her from continuing, "It's over with, Laura. It's been said already. We can just move on now."

Laura made herself get up from the couch. "No. It's not over yet." she stated as she picked up the divorce papers and grabbed a pen and brought them over to him. "It won't be over until you sign."

JC looked up at her and the papers. "Why don't we just wait till we get out of here to do this?"

"What's the difference in doing it now or later, JC?"

"Because I don't want to do this right now."

"All you have to do is sign you name. It's not that hard. You do it all the time for your fans."

"This isn't just me signing a stupid autograph, Laura. This is me giving uuu...."

"This is you what?" she asked. JC took a deep breath, stood up and walked passed her into the bathroom before slamming the door behind him.

Chapter 63 by DesperateThoughts
 

"Ooww...Stop!" JC yelled as he tried to put his arms up to block himself from the items being thrown at him.

 

Laura ran out of pillows and pens to throw and started hitting him with her balled up fists. "Why won't you just sign the Goddamn papers already!" she cried out.

 

JC grabbed her arms and tried to calm her down. "Shhh...Laura...Stop it!" he said as he pulled her down to the ground and held her arms tightly against her chest so she couldn't hit him anymore.

 

"Why is this so important to you?" he asked as he held her from behind.

 

"I want it over with! I want us both to have our freedom, so that the next time you fuck her, you'll be able to do it guilt free."

 

"Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! What makes you think I'm fucking her?" JC asked as he let her out of his grip.

 

Laura got up and walked over to where the couches were. "Oh please. Are you really going to sit here and tell me that the two of you haven't had sex since she has moved into your house? I wasn't born yesterday, JC. I see how the two of you are together now."

 

JC stood up, pacing the room.  That doesn't mean that I'm fucking her."

 

"Then what do you call it, JC?"

 

"I would never fuck her and still be married to you. That's like me going and doing the same exact thing to you, that she did to me. I would never do that, Laura. I admit that Rachel and I have kissed and that there have been a few times where we almost made love, but I have not had sex with her since she's moved in."

 

Laura cringed at when she heard Rachel's name and the words 'make love uttered in the same sentence'. "Well you've kissed her...So that's enough to make me fed up with the both of you."

 

"Well, there are alot of things that you have done, that make me feel the same way about you."

 

Laura had felt it again, racing through her blood like a fever. It was a feeling of rage, or carnal lust and anger so strong it almost choked her. The need to lash out was overwhelming, irresistible. Lately, all they did was snip and pick at each other every chance they got. Something inside her snapped. It seemed like the final straw. Laura threw her shoes across the room. JC ducked to keep from getting hit in the face.

 

"What the hell is wrong with you?" he barked.

 

A primal urge to throttle him burst in her head, and she knew JC could see it in her eyes. As they stared at each other, Laura could feel something happening between them. Something frightening, urgent, something so raw there was no name for it. is hand curled into fists at his sides, and he whispered, "Try it again, and see what happens to you."

 

His challenging words were like fire on a flame. All the frustration and anger of the past few months seemed to bubble up from deep inside her, and she had no choice but to respond. Laura crossed the room, a low growl in her throat, and tried to slap him. His strong hand gripped her wrist before it reached his face, and with his eyes blazing into hers, he said just one word, "Don't."

 

Laura was past feeling anything but lust and pure anger. She struggled to get her wrist free, her other hand trying to peel his fingers off hers. She scratched him with her long fingernails, and it seemed to push him over the edge. With a fierce sound, JC grabbed Laura's other hand and drug her to the sofa. He pushed her down on it. "Stay," he growled.

 

Laura was too shocked to do anything. But she felt something, a feeling she had never had before. It was a kind of wild excitement shimmering under all her anger. She started to get up, and then he was in front of her.

 

"Get up," he said quietly. Something in his tone made her obey, and she stood on shaky legs. He sat down on the couch, and quickly gripped her wrist again, pulling her down across his lap. The breath was pushed out of her as she landed on his firm thighs.

Laura struggled briefly. "What the hell are you doing, JC? Stop!" Laura yelled as she struggled to break free. He gripped her hair with his hand and pushed her head down. His other arm was like a steel band across her lower back. Pure anger and embarrassment began to build even more and she struggled even harder.

 

The first blow of his hand across her ass, when it struck, startled her, and she yelped. His hand came down so sharply on her ass, that she felt it through her clothes. WHAP, another whack on the other cheek. Her skin felt like it was on fire.

 

Suddenly he stopped, and dumped her onto the floor. She pushed her hair out of her face and glared at him "Had enough?" he asked.

 

Laura crawled across the floor to the opposite couch and sat up slowly. She glared at JC and said, "I fuckin' hate you."

 

The words hit JC like a freight train. Part of him actually believed her. He got down on all fours and started to crawl towards her. Laura started to move away from him until he stopped her. Their faces were only inches apart as JC said, "Those are very strong words, Laura."

 

"And I meant...every....word." she stumbled with her sentence as JC leaned in closer and closer. She knew what he was trying to do. He loved controlling her this way. She knew she couldn't let him this time.

 

Laura pushed on JC's chest and he fell backwards. She let her body glide off the couch and onto the floor.  She sat up on her knees and started to crawl back towards him. "This, 'I'm an injured man', act has gotten old JC. Yeah I kept information from you. I helped my friend lie. Big deal. You help Joey, Justin and the rest of your boys lie when they need you to. I don't see how this is any different. It's just an excuse you can use to go back to Rachel. And if it's not...Get over it or get lost."

 

"I plan to." he gulped down hard when he noticed their lips were centimeters apart.

 

"Then just get up and go sign the papers. What's stopping you? What are you afraid of?" she said as she looked up towards the table.

 

"Fine then...I will." JC said as he lightly pushed her and started to get up. He walked over to the table and looked for a pen. Laura placed it gently in his hand. He leaned down and was about to sign his name until Laura put her hand on top of the papers.

 

"Would you grant me one thing?" she whispered.

 

"What?"

 

She placed her hands flat on his chest and patted lightly before looking up into his eyes. "One last kiss as a married couple?"

 

JC's heart was pounding. He didn't know what he should do. Laura started to lean up towards his face. He kissed her temple lightly. "How's that?" he asked. Laura pointed to her cheek. JC let his lips skim her cheek. She then pointed towards her top lip and then her lower one. JC followed her fingers with his lips. He started to protest but she stalled him. "Please, JC? It's just one last kiss."

 

His breath came in short little puffs. He could never say no when she begged. Laura's eyes fluttered closed. When next his mouth covered hers. Her tongue sought entrance, and he allowed her that intimacy. She gasped a little as her tongue touched his. It had been far too long since they had kissed one another. Her nipples tingled and she hugged him tighter.

The kiss gradually deepened. He held her closer as he drank from her mouth. He was holding her tightly when she ended the kiss. "We'd better stop now," she whispered.

 

She fixed a piece of his hair and gave him one last kiss before walking back over to the couch with a look of pure satisfaction on her face. JC stood their stunned by what had just happened.  JC laughed lightly to himself, "You did that deliberately to fuck with me."

 

"What do you mean?" she asked with a look of dismay on her face.

 

"Getting me all worked up and leaving me here like this." he pointed out.

 

"Seeing that I was 'never worth the effort' as you said one night, I didn't think a kiss would effect you like that."

 

"Laura..."

 

She put her hand up not wanting to hear what more he had to say. "Let's just go to bed. The faster we go to sleep, the quicker tomorrow will come, and we'll be out of here."

 

JC went and turned off all the lights and laid down on the couch. He turned over and rested his head on his hand. "Laura."

 

"What?"

 

"I don't want you to leave here thinking I don't care about you."

 

"It doesn't matter anymore, JC. Let's not get into another argument."

 

"I'm not trying to...I just wanted you to know that-"

 

"Goodnight, JC." Laura interrupted.

 

"Goodnight." he said before turning over and drifting off the sleep.

 

Chapter 64 by DesperateThoughts
 

At about 6am JC was awaken by soft moans in the room. He leaned up to find out where the noise was coming from.

 

"Ahhh...Yes...Right there."

 

JC eyes widened when he realized Laura was having an intense dream. He tiptoed over to the bathroom and turned on the light. He looked up and noticed that all her clothes were hanging on the towel rack. Including her freshly washed thong. He pulled the door shut slightly so that the light wouldn't wake her up. He crept back over to the couch and watched her as she dreamed. He noticed her hands were missing beneath the blanket.

 

JC could feel his cock growing harder by the second. He slowly grabbed the bottom of her blanket and tugged it lightly until her body was exposed to him. She had on his sweater again. The sweater was halfway above her breasts as her one hand fondled her nipples and the other caressed her pussy. His curiosity was peaked as to who on earth she could be dreaming about.

 

"Yes," she moaned out as her touch felt so good against her own body. "Yes, JC," she whispered as she went back and touched her clit. She cooed more as she made circles on her swollen nub. She remembered how he touched her, how he licked her, how he made her feel like a woman. She inhaled sharply as she inserted a finger and began to move it in and out of her wetness.

 

JC's face immediately lit up when he heard her call out his name. He had never seen Laura play with herself. The new experience was almost too much for him to bear. He wasn't used to her new boldness.

 

He slowly made his way back down to the floor near her face. He started to rub his throbbing cock inside his boxers. Laura rolled her nipple between her thumb and forefinger and squeezed it. JC couldn't help but lick his lips wishing her fingers were his own.

 

How she wished that his lips were pressing and sucking it. Squeezing again, only harder, she moaned at that thought. Her other hand moved to the other nipple and gave it the same treatment, and the harder she squeezed, the more wet she became. Pulling both nipples out and turning them gently, she imagined that her hands were his. In her mind she could see his dark hair; his blue eyes were watching her, wanting her as much as she wanted him again.

 

The way he looked at her consumed her, sending shivers down the length of her body. Releasing her breasts, her hands traveled slowly down her stomach. Her skin tingled as she touched it, every nerve ending slowly coming alive. As her fingers touched the top of her pussy for the second time, she couldn't help but shake and moan softly. It felt almost as though he were doing it with her. Slowly her index finger slid between her lips, touching her hard clit, and in her mind, her finger was his tongue. Bringing her knees up and spreading her legs, she rubbed her finger softly against her clit, feeling the moisture spread with each stroke. A small moan escaped her lips as she moved her finger down and dipped into her wetness. She brought it back up to her mouth and tasted her own wetness. She moved her other hand to her breast to pull at her nipple.

 

He was with her now, his tongue lapping at her clit, his nose against the top of her mound as he sucked her clit into his mouth and pulled back on it. As his mouth tugged, he slipped a finger into her pussy and slowly began pumping it into her. She imagined herself running her fingers through his abundance of silky hair. It felt so real...Almost too real. Raising her hips off the couch, she met his finger's thrusts, pushing her pussy hard against his face, wanting him to take more of her into his mouth. She felt his teeth pulling at her skin, the softness of his kisses against her lips, and the pounding of his fingers as he relentlessly jammed them deep inside of her.  She moaned at the touch of his other hand sliding up her stomach and his finger tips gently tugging at her nipple.

 

Laura's eyes immediately jolted open when she realized she was no longer dreaming. She looked down and could see JC's head buried deep between her legs. She went to stop him, but he grabbed her hand and held it tightly as he bit down on her clit. "Ahhh!! JC!!" she screamed.

 

"One last time right, baby?" He whispered as he lightly kissed his way up her stomach to her erect nipple.

 

It wasn't fair.  He was using her own words against her.  As he squeezed her nipple hard, she felt her body begin to shake. His thumb moved harder and faster against her clit and his fingers slapped against her core. His smile made her heart stop for a second and then she could hear it come alive again and start pounding hard in her ears. He held her gaze for what seemed like an eternity. Neither of them spoke but words didn't seem necessary. JC drove his fingers in deeper and faster.

 

Closing her eyes and tilting her head back, she felt her body tense; it was a feeling of total confusion, wanting the release but also wanting to hold the moment. His thumb moved faster, and her thighs tightened against his hand. She could feel herself tightening around his fingers; the contractions were strong and overtook her. As she let out a scream, her body shuddered in the ultimate release, soaking his fingers with her sweet juice. She lay there for several minutes, savoring the waves that washed over her body. Bringing his fingers to his mouth, JC sucked on them and tasted what was only meant for him.

 

Laura opened her eyes and saw his eyes staring back into hers. His voice embedded itself into her mind and spoke softly to her, "I need you, Laura."

 

Whether he truly meant it or not, that was all he needed to say. Laura sat up and pushed JC lightly down to the floor. JC stopped her and grabbed a blanket for them to lay on. Slowly and carefully they both helped each other completely undress. 

 

Laura ran kisses down his chest, his stomach, and then the head of his cock, before she took it in his mouth. She placed her hand on his member, stroking it as she sucked on his head.

 

"Mmm, yes baby," he whispered out as her talented lips worked over his cock. He could feel his orgasm begin as he held her head onto his hardness.

 

JC pushed her head away from his throbbing cock. He took her arm and pulled her up to meet his gaze. She almost lost her balance as he plunged his tongue into her open mouth. She met his tongue and they exchanged their passion and desire for one another.

 

"Lay down," he said as he broke their embrace and got on his knees. He crawled to her knees. Laura gently parted her legs and allowed him to enter. He kissed her right thigh, then left. Her eyes fluttered to the back of her head as he kissed his way up her body. She could feel the head of his cock at her wet entrance. JC slowly thrust himself deep inside her.

 

"Oooo," she cried out as he began to pump in and out of her faster and faster. She shivered slightly as he ran his tongue up the side of her neck and into her ear. He took both her hands and pinned them down over her head. He them sucked down hard on her neck, causing her to scream out his name. This almost drove him over the edge. He stopped, still deep inside her. Laura looked up at him and noticed he had a grin on his face. She tried her best to wiggle beneath him, so that the intense sensations he was causing wouldn't end. Laura whimpered beneath him, and JC's grin deepened. He tried his best to keep her completely still, but Laura knew he wouldn't be able to hold out much longer. She grinned back at him and leaned her head up towards his ear and whispered, "Fuck me, JC."

 

That's all he needed. He furiously began to kiss her as he pumped into her harder and deeper. Laura tightened her legs around his waist and sucked on his tongue as he began to fuck her even harder.

 

"Oh, shit!" he cried out.

 

"Fuck me, baby…Oh God….JC! I need you so bad!" she screamed.

 

"Oh, fuck....Laura...Fuck..." he screamed.

 

"Yes, yes...Right there" The first waves of an orgasm was starting to roll over her. JC could feel her tightening around his cock.

 

"I'm going to cum," was all he could say as he climaxed deep inside her. Laura's nails dug deep into his back causing both their orgasms to be more intense. JC let his body fall down on her. They both struggled to catch their breath. She lightly kissed his neck and ran her hands through his hair as she tried to record everything to memory, knowing it would be their last.

 

They both laid in silence for a few moments. JC's breathing slowed and he mumbled "I love you." into her neck.

 

Laura leaned back to look at JC.  What did you just say?" she asked as she tried to sit up.

 

JC was slowly coming down from his high. "Huh?"

 

"You're a real piece of work."  Laura pushed him off of her and stomped into the bathroom before slamming to door shut.

 

"Shit." He stumbled off the floor and over to the door. "Laura, please. Open up."

 

"Everything was perfect till you opened your mouth afterwards!" she yelled through the door.

 

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to piss you off."

 

"Why would you say something like that to me right now...Of all times. Is that your final act of revenge or something?"

 

"Revenge?" he asked with a shocked look on his face. "That's not what this was about. Come out here and talk to me about this...Please." he begged.

 

"Fuck you!" she screamed as she flung the door open so hard that it hit the wall behind it.

 

JC jumped at the loud sound. She pushed hard on his chest as she walked towards him and he backed away from her. "Tell me why!" she demanded.

 

JC could see the tears falling down her face. "Tell me why you would say something like that to me now! You fuckin' leavin' me for that...that bitch! How dare you fuckin' say you love me, when you know you don't mean it!" He grabbed her hands and stopped her from poking him in his chest. "I don't say things I don't mean, Laura."

 

Laura was stunned momentarily. The tears slowly began to flow. "Then why are you leaving me?" she sobbed into her hands.

 

JC pulled her over to the couch. "I get so confused everyday, that I sometimes just want to jump off the roof. I've got two women, who I really care about. And I love you both in different ways. Then I have this little boy, who I share my DNA with. Do I abandon him and come back to you, knowing that I will be miserable without him in my life everyday? Or do I stay and give it one more chance with Rachel. As much as you might not want to hear this...I love you both. And I hate to say it, but she has more leverage, because she has my son. And I will never be a weekend father. It's unfair to both me and Nikky. I'm not going to lose anymore time with him than I already have. I can only hope and pray that I am making the right decision. And if I'm not...I hope that you can one day forgive me."

 

Tears streamed down both their faces. Laura wiped her eyes and tried to clear her throat. "He better grow up to be the happiest damn kid on Earth." she said as she got up to go and get dressed. JC watched her walk away towards the bathroom. They both stared at each other. She was about to speak, but suddenly shook her head and closed the door.

 

While JC was in the bathroom, Laura cleaned up the mess that they had made of the studio during the weekend. When he came out he only had on his jeans. Laura smiled as she watched his naked chest one last time.

 

He noticed the bottle of juice and the box of Krispy Kreme donuts sitting on the table. "This was all I could come up with for breakfast." she said. JC smiled and went and joined her at the table. As he lifted the donut to his mouth he noticed the divorce papers sitting in the middle of the table. Laura noticed the direction of his gaze and said, "We better get this done before Jerry gets here."

 

JC put down his pastry and turned to face her. He placed his hand over hers in her lap. "As God is my witness, I love you. Nothing will ever change that."

 

Tears began to form in both their eyes. Laura tried to look away from JC. It was becoming too much bear. He lightly grabbed her chin and pointed her face back towards his. He held it in both his hands. Laura reached up and did the same. He leaned forward and kissed her lightly on the lips. "The music between you and I..." JC was finding it harder and harder to speak. Laura took her thumbs and wiped the tears which were now falling from his eyes before lightly kissing him again. "The music between you and I...It will never end, Laura."

 

She immediately wrapped her arms around his neck tightly and hugged him with all her might. "Make it worth it, JC. Please, make it worth it." she whispered in his ear as she held onto him.

 

JC wrapped his arms tightly around her and pulled her in closer to his body. He tried to sooth them both the best way he could. They soon startled by a beeping noise. JC looked up and didn't see Jerry, but had a feeling he was coming. He grabbed the paper and signed his name quickly. Laura couldn't bear to watch. She turned her head and could now see Jerry looking through the door as he punched in the key code. They both tried to regain their composure. JC handed Laura the documents and she hid them deep down in her bag.

 

"Well, kids. How did we do?" Jerry asked as he walked into the room.

 

Laura cleared her throat and wiped her face. "Pretty good."

 

Jerry noticed her eyes were puffy and she looked like she had been crying. "Hope I didn't come at a bad time."

 

"No, not at all." JC muttered as he went to put on his t-shirt.

 

Jerry's eyes immediately fell upon the red lines running down JC's back. Jerry was curious about what happened while he was gone, but was too anxious to see their completed work to really care. He walked over to the table and picked up a few papers and briefly looked through them.  "Hmmm...Very nice..." he said to himself.

 

JC and Laura stood by the doorway waiting on Jerry to follow them. He looked up and noticed he had been wrapped up in his own thoughts, "Oh I'm sorry. We ready? I'll look over these on our way back."

 

JC waited for Laura to get in the car. He stopped Jerry at the door, "You know, if I didn't get a lot of stuff taken care of during this kidnapping, I would have personally cut your dick off and force fed it to you...Then I would have done what you like to do...Sued your ruthless ass off. Just remember that the next time you feel you can treat us any which way you want...Got me?"

 

Jerry was frightened by the tone in JC's voice and knew he wasn't joking. "Yeah, man. But as long as things were taken care of, what's the big deal?" he asked as he slid into the car.

 

The entire way home JC and Laura were subject to listening to Jerry's rants about how great everything was, and how much money they all were going to make from the deal. They both just rolled their eyes and looked out of opposite windows in silence. When they reached Laura's house, JC wanted to say something to her, but couldn't because Jerry was still in the car. She got out and said goodbye to everyone. She leaned down one last time and looked into JC's eyes and said, "Make it worth it." She then shut the door and watched as the limo drove off around the corner.

Chapter 65 by DesperateThoughts
 

"Hey, Ma. Come on in." JC said as he opened the door for his mother. She leaned up and gave her son a hug, "How are you?"

 

"I'm ok. You?"

 

"I'm good. Had a bit of arthritis in my arm this morning but it's better." she said as she looked over and noticed the baby sitting on the floor playing with his toys. "Where's Rachel? I wanted to thank her for the painting that she bought me and your father."

 

"She had to go out of town for a taping."

 

Mrs. Chasez followed JC into the living room and sat down on the couch as JC picked up Nikky to bring him to her. Her eyes lit up when the baby smiled at her as she talked to him. JC sat there and nervously watched them.

 

"Look how blue your eyes are, Nikolas!" she cooed.

 

Ten minutes later Laticia walked into the room bringing in a tray of tea and coffee cake. "Can I get you anything else, Mr. Chasez?"

 

"Could you please put Nikky down for his nap?" JC asked.

 

"Of course." she replied as she leaned over and took the baby from Mrs. Chasez's arms.

 

JC's mom was a bit disappointed that he was having her take the baby away so soon. "Does he really have to nap right now? I just got here."

 

"I need to talk to you about something mom. And I didn't want any disturbances."

 

"What is it, Joshua." his mother was worried.

 

Just as he was about to speak the telephone rang. JC rolled his eyes and got up to answer it. When he returned he stopped short of sitting down and asked his mother to grab her jacket and come with him. They drove a few miles down to the nearby park. They both got out and started to walk around the large lake and talked about work and how his siblings were doing.  "...JC, I know you didn't bring me all the way out here to talk about your brother and sister. What's going on?"

 

JC sat his mother down on a nearby bench and stared out at the water before speaking further. "Do you remember why Rachel and I split up?"

 

"Yeah. Both your careers were keeping you apart."

 

"Well, that's the reason I gave you. The truth is...A year and half ago, me and the guys got back early from a show in Paris and I flew to California to surprise Rachel on the set of that movie she was filming. I went over to her trailer and discovered she and Jerry together."

 

"Oh JC-" JC continued to speak over his mother. "I found out it wasn't the first time they were together. It had been going on for over 3 months."

 

"Yeah, but weren't you in court battling that lawsuit during that time?"

 

"Yes. One of the men I'm battling court is having a good time with the woman in my life. I'm sure he really enjoyed knowing that each day he saw me in court."

 

Mrs. Chasez was stunned by what she hearing, "I can't believe she would do something like that."

 

"Well she did...And I hadn't planned on ever telling you about that, but I need to be honest here.  There have been too many lies and secrets flying around here.  I need you to know so that you understand what I am going to tell you next."

 

"Is he taking you to court again? For custody of the baby?"

 

"No...He can't."

 

His mother was curious.  "Why not?"

 

JC took a deep breath and looked towards his mother and said, "Cause Nikolas is my son."

 

"Oh my God!" she said as she stood up. "And she never told you?"

 

"She says she didn't know. She had only remembered being with Jerry during the time the baby was conceived."

 

"Is this the reason why you aren't speaking to Laura?"

 

"Partly. When Rachel found out she was pregnant, she told Laura there was a possibility Nikky could be mine. Laura never told me. I found out from Rachel when we went away to see about Mrs. Charles. I just couldn't handle the fact that she had this information and never told me the entire time we were together. I just can't understand how someone could do that."

 

"What are the three of you going to do? Make arrangements for shared custody of the baby?"

 

"No. I'm going to do the right thing and marry Rachel. I still have to get a ring, and we still need to discuss things. And-"

 

Mrs. Chasez was confused and stopped JC from going any further.  "And what are you going to do about the issue with your present wife, Josh?"

 

JC took a deep breath and looked over at her. "I signed the divorce papers last week. We're no longer married.  It should be final before I get married to Rachel."

 

With one look, JC could see the anger, frustration, and disappointment in his mothers eyes.  She took a deep breath before finally sitting down next to him and speaking.  "Well it seems I've been missing out on a lot of stuff here. So excuse me if I seem a bit upset. You break up with someone you said was the love of your life. Lie to your parents about why. Then a year later you are having a secret romance with her best friend...You go to Vegas and get married! Come back home and expect us to be happy for you. Then you come back and tell me that you and Laura are not speaking. You move Rachel and her son into your house. You come back and tell me that 'Oh by the way, the baby is your grandchild and that you are not only divorcing one woman but getting engaged to another? This is insane!" she yelled.

 

JC put his hands over his mothers and tried to calm her down.  "I know it is a great deal of information to deal with right now. And I am not expecting you to be accepting of any of this. I would have told you sooner, but I needed to be sure about all this."

 

Mrs. Chasez placed her hand on her son's back. As much of a shock that it was to her, she knew he was in way more pain over all the news than she could ever imagine. "I'm sorry I went crazy a second ago. I'm just upset that I couldn't be there to help you through all this. I feel helpless after the fact."

 

JC let his head fall onto his mother's shoulder as they both sat quietly and watched the ducks.

 

"I feel so terrible," she muttered.

 

"Why?"

 

"I am sitting here, thinking back at all those times where I was talking to Laura about how wonderful Rachel was and how the two of you should have never split up. I must have made her feel so horrid."

 

"You did. But don't feel bad about it. She knew more than all of us about what was really going on. So I guess it was a good taste of her own medicine. We both knew coming into the relationship that by not telling you all what really happened we would have to just deal with the millions of praises from others about Rachel."

 

JC's mom could sense resentment in his voice when he spoke of Laura's involvement. "So you blame Laura."  she stated more as a fact rather than a question.

 

"Blame her for what?" he asked as he looked towards his mom.

 

"For knowing he could have been yours and not telling you. I'm sitting here listening to you talk about this and never once have I heard you lay any blame on Rachel."

 

"I don't know if you can really say I 'blame' Laura. But this wasn't just some small bit of information kept between best friends. This was a large secret. And being that she and I were inseparable after me and Rachel split and the fact that we later became a couple...I just would have hoped that she would have cared enough about me to tell me that the little boy I adored, could have been mine."

 

"JC, I don't think it had anything to do with how much she cared about you, baby. I see it as a woman torn...Torn between loyalty to her best friend of over 20 years.  Torn between telling you the truth or trying to protect you from being hurt in case it wasn't your son. I'm sure there is a great deal going on underneath the surface that neither of us knows about and probably never will. But I have never known Laura to be spiteful to anyone she has come into contact with. I've never known her to intentionally hurt people. She has always been there for you when you needed her…Even when I needed her. That's a large burden to bear when you are depended on so much by so many."

 

"I know all this mom. That's part of the reason why I love her so much..."

 

"I notice that you're still using that word in the present tense."

 

"Yeah. It's so hard for me not to love her. But I won't be a part-time father, so I made a decision."

 

"Do you still love Rachel?"

 

"Yes...This is why it's so damn difficult for me."

 

Mrs. Chasez rubbed JC's back as he let his head fall into his hands. "This is something you and only you can figure out for yourself, honey. And I will be there no matter what."

 

JC and his mother sat there and talked for a little while longer before deciding to head back home. One the way JC turned the corner when he should have went straight ahead to his house. He had an uneasy feeling and couldn't figure out why. 

 

"Where are we going?" his mother asked

 

"I just want to see something."

 

"You mean someone, don't you?" she teased.

 

"Please mom." he said. She put both her hands up and shook her head. When he rounded the last corner he noticed that there was a large 'For Sale' sign posted on Laura's front lawn. He also noticed that there was a man standing outside her house tying balloons to an open house sign near the curb. JC stopped the car and sat there stunned. JC's mother was about to ask what was going on but discovered JC was just as curious. He told his mom to wait there and we would be right back. He walked up to the front door where the man was now standing.

 

"Why hello there, Sir. You must be here for the open house. Please come in." As they walked into the foyer JC looked over at the man and asked, "Is the owner here?" When he turned his head to look for Laura, he was shocked to find that the entire house was empty.

With a glazed look on his face he followed the man around the house. As they went from empty room to empty room JC remembered all the memories that he had shared with her inside those four walls. As they made their way back towards the kitchen, the realtor stopped inside one last room, "This was used as a study and-"

 

"Personal office." JC finished his sentence.

 

"Yes. How did you know that?" the realtor asked as he stared at JC. "Oh wow. You must be the man that lives around the corner. The one from that music group right? I didn't recognize you at first. It's so nice to meet you! That was the one specific thing Ms. Charles wanted me to screen for her."

 

"Which was?"

 

"She wanted me to make sure that potential buyers weren't interested in who their neighbors were. She wanted to make sure they weren't fans. This way you wouldn't be bothered by nosy neighbors, if you know what I mean."

 

"Do you know where Ms. Charles is now?"

 

"That was the one thing that I was not privy to. I was only a number for a Ms. Beckman in California if I had any questions."

 

"Hallie." JC stated to himself.

 

"Right. The last time we spoke was this morning when she was on her way to the airport. Ms. Charles did leave me a box that was addressed to you. She asked me to make sure you received it. I was going to mail it off when I left here, but seeing that you are here now I might as well give it to you. Wait here, I'll be right back."

 

JC stood there praying he was dreaming. The realtor returned with a box that JC immediately recognized as the one in which he had wrapped Laura's birthday gift. He held the box in his arms.

 

"This letter was also attached to the box." he said as he handed the sealed envelope to JC.

 

A coupled walked in behind them and the realtor immediately went over to greet them. As he was guiding them in to look at the house, JC took the time to open the letter there. He set the box down on the floor and opened the envelope to read the letter:

 

JC,

I am sorry this letter is so short. I've been struggling with this for awhile now. And my decision was an extremely hard one to make. I just can't stay here any longer. It's too hard for me to be this close to you and know that I can never be with you. I can't imagine my life without you in it. I lay awake in bed and think of things to come just on the other side of our fences..Birthday parties, family barbecue's, and possibly a wedding reception. Things I find too hard to bear. But I won't go the same route that my father did when things got to hard for him. I know I am stronger than that. I left you some things that I will no longer need. You can do with them as you please. I have no use for them any longer.

You know, I can't get that day in the studio out of my head. The way I looked up as tears rolled slowly down my cheek. I thought about better days and wondered if I'll feel that way again. I remember you looking at me with those eyes I knew so well, always serious, so deep and insightful as though you were always in control. But not that day. You looked so scared, like for once you didn't have the answer. I gazed at you, looking deep into those blue eyes, hoping to understand why. I wondered for a moment if it was all a dream. If I'd wake in the morning and be relieved. You looked at me with a confusion I'd never seen. Slowly pulling me towards you and wiped the tears from my cheek. In that moment I knew it was over. There was nothing else we could say or do that would change things. I don't want to leave without telling you that I will always love you. And I hope that life from this point on will bring you nothing but endless joy and happiness, JC. I'm terrible at goodbye's so I will just say this and be on my way...All my greatest moments have been with you...And the last thing I ever wanted to do was to make you feel anything less than amazing.

Love always,

Laura

 

JC slowly bent down and opened the box. He was surprised to find every single picture of him and Laura inside. They were mostly all the photos she had placed around the piano of the two of them and Rachel together. There were small trinkets and items that JC had given her throughout the time they had known each other. Earrings he had bought her just because he was thinking of her. The necklace with her name engraved in it. At the bottom of the box was his most recent birthday gift to her. It was a dozen real roses preserved in 24kt gold. He noticed the personalized card he had written to her had never been opened. Sitting behind the vase at the bottom of the box was a small box. He opened it up and lifted up the white cottony cushioning and found three rings attached to a necklace. At a closer glance JC discovered it was their wedding rings.

When he returned outside to his car he handed his mother the box to hold for him. She asked what it was but JC would not speak. He seemed momentarily catatonic as he stared back at Laura's house.

 

"Are you okay, hun? What happened?"

 

He took one last look at the house before starting the car and heading home. "She's gone."

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1667