Careless Whispers by Nattiekins
Past Featured StorySummary: He was hers. My best friend's boyfriend. I didn't want to feel this way. I didn't mean to feel this way. I didn't even like him at first. It just...happened.
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 12231 Read: 18705 Published: Jan 18, 2010 Updated: Feb 25, 2010
Story Notes:

1. Chapter 1 by Nattiekins

2. Chapter 2 by Nattiekins

3. Chapter 3 by Nattiekins

4. Chapter 4 by Nattiekins

5. Chapter 5 by Nattiekins

6. Chapter 6 by Nattiekins

7. Chapter 7 by Nattiekins

Chapter 1 by Nattiekins
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Justin Timberlake in any way, shape or form although I would like to. However, all original characters are mine. Please enjoy!

"Amber, can you help me please fit into this top!" My best friend Kylie yelled. "Justin's going to be here any minute!" I rolled my eyes at the sound of his name. My best friend was dating a man named Justin Timberlake. Yes, him. They met at a fashion show about a year and a half ago and have been dating ever since. Now you're probably wondering why I rolled my eyes. You see, Justin and I don't have the GREATEST friendship ever. He was all popular and famous while I was the narrow-minded bookworm. We just..never really clicked. 

"Ugh, what's the issue Kye?" I asked while looking at her struggling. The poor girl had her hair all messed up and she was all out of breath. 

"Please...zip this" She said through quick breaths. I walked up behind her and tried to help her zip up. Once I got it all the way up the doorbell rang, I groaned loudly. "Omigosh! I'm not even done yet! Amber please get the door" 

"No, make him wait"

"Amber please don't leave my boyfriend waiting out there" I stared back at her before turning on my heel to make my way downstairs. I walked up to the door and opened it. There he stood with a bouquet of flowers dressed in a white striped long-sleeved shirt with a black vest over it to go along with his black slacks. His hair tousled and curly. I must say, although he wasn't my favorite person, the man could dress. I left the door open for him to walk in. 

"Kylie will be down in a minute" He didn't answer, instead just shut the door. I took a seat on the couch and began flipping through the channels, landing on the Food Network. Justin sat next to me, oddly enough. 

"So, you got any plans for tonight?"

"Uh uh" I answered somewhat coldly. I didn't need him to remind me of the fact that it was Saturday night and I once again was staying in. 

"I'd invite you to come with if Trace was in town and--"

"I don't need your pity invite Justin. I've got some work to get done anyway" I lied. I was going to just stay home and do what I always do. Read, watch a sappy movie, read some more and sleep. Pretty pathetic huh?

"If you say so. You should go out though"

"And what do you care if I do?" I retorted, staring back into his crystal blues. 

"I don't. I'm just saying"

"No need to 'just say' I'm fine here" I heard the heels clicking on the steps as we both turned around to notice Kylie who looked like she could barely breath in that corset black top and jeans. 

"Baby you look amazing" Justin said before getting up and handing her the flowers. 

"Awww honey you didn't have to. Amber can you put these in some water for me? We're already late" She handed me the flowers. That was one thing I didn't like about Kylie. I mean, no defending Justin here but the whole buying her flowers thing was really sweet and she just handed them off to me. It isn't the first time she's done that neither. He's surprised her with chocolates, balloons, food that she doesn't eat or claims 'doesn't go well with her diet'. She just seems a bit unappreciative at times. I'd kill to have a boyfriend like him. Well not exactly like him but the sweetness part of course. 

I placed the flowers into a vase with water and set it on the table. Beautiful yellow lilles that smelled wonderful. I got lost in their scent for a second before I heard the door slam. Walking over to the couch I stubbed my toe on the table leg.
"Shit" I cursed. I sat on the couch and looked through the TV guide for are good movie. The Notebook was on. One of my favorites. Grabbing a bag of nearby chips I settled down and watched it for the umpteenth time. I didn't even notice I had fallen asleep when...

*WHAM*

The door slammed. I looked around and realized the bag of Lays chips, sitting on my chest. I got up and scratched my head before hearing messing around in the kitchen. I looked inside. 

"Good morning sleepyhead" before me stood a cheery Justin washing dishes.

"What the hell are you doing here?'

"Now that's no way to wake up. Kye went to go shopping and I decided to stay around for a bit before heading home, I hope that's okay"

"Whatever" I groaned before heading to the bathroom to wash up. By the time I walked out he was in front of the TV watching Good Burger, laughing his ass off. 

"I'm sorry if you were gonna watch something, I just saw Good Burger was on and--"

"Uh huh" I poured myself a bowl of cereal and he stopped me. 

"Amber there are pancakes on the counter for you" I stared at him then looked back at the counter. There sat a plate with Pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage. Why did he do that?

"Thanks" I muttered before grabbing the syrup and a fork. I sat at the table and he got up and sat in front of me.

"So how was your night last night?" I grilled him as I continued eating. "Amber?"

"Gee Justin I don't know. I watched The Notebook, cried, ate away my sorrows with my trusty friend Lays and woke up to find only you and I here" Okay I admit that was a bit rude but come on! How did he expect my night to be?

"You should come out with us tonight"

"What?"

"You should come out with us tonight. Dancing. I think it'd be good for you. Kylie told me about Charlie" My stomach turned at the mention of his name. Charlie Burke. The guy who broke my heart into trillions of pieces when I found out he had slept with my cousin Rebecca. Not to mention he got her pregnant with twins. I should've known Kye would open her big mouth to Justin. 

 "Look I really don't need you feeling sorry for me Justin"

"Who says I do? All I did was ask you to come out with us" He had a point. I got up and took my plate back into the kitchen as he followed. "Just..think about it alright?" I nodded as he got his stuff together. "I'll pick you and Kye up by 8:30" He said before shutting the door. I took a deep breath as I stripped and stepped into the shower. 
-----

"What do you mean you can't make it? Have you told Justin?" I questioned Kylie. I was already dressed as set to go before she dropped the bombshell that she had to go to a meeting. A meeting at 8:30 at night on a Saturday?

"Just go Amber and have fun. It'll be fine without me"  She insisted. I sighed as I heard the doorbell ring. She went to open it.

"Baby, you're not ready yet" I heard. I tried to listen as she told him why she couldn't make it. "Amber!" She called. I walked out and felt eyes glued to me. He scanned me up and down.From my silver Nine West shoes to my tan legs, glorified by my royal blue dress that hugged me in all the right places. My hair had a medium hump on the top thanks to my lovely Bump-It. I had a pair of silver hoop earrings to complete the look. "You guys can still go without me. Amber honey you need to get out. Go with Justin and he'll help you meet some people" She said while walking over to me and rubbing my shoulder. I looked at Justin who was wearing a light blue dress shirt and grey slacks. 

"Do you still want to go Amber?" He asked while placing his hands in his pockets. NO! My head screamed. 

"Sure why not" I surprised myself with that one. 

"Great!" Kylie clapped her hands. "Have fun you two. Amber, watch him for me" She joked. I let out a small chuckle as Justin and I walked out the door. On the way to his car I mentally slapped myself what must've been a thousand times.

"I can't believe she ditched us"

"Who are you telling?" Justin said in a raspy tone as he started his car. We drove off to the Roseland night club that was packed. I walked out and Justin placed his hand on my back leading me inside. I shivered at his touch. Once inside we met up with a few of his friends and their dates. 

"Guys this is Amber, Kylie's best friend. Kylie couldn't make it" I shook their hands as they all greeted me with smiles. 

"Ooh Justin I see how it is. Your girl can't make it so you bring her friend" His best friend Trace sang. I laughed that comment off while I watched him place his arm over the stunning blonde that was next to him. "So Kylie, tell us about yourself"

"Well um, I don't do this much" I joked. "I'm an accountant. Um, I'm 25" I added. 

"Nice" Was all he said. The night was spent with people buying me drinks and Justin off dancing with random girls. Nothing crazy but he just danced...a lot. I then noticed a sudden music change. 

"We gonna slow it down a bit now ya'll. These are for all those people that came tonight with...let's say people they're not supposed to be with" The  DJ said as he began playing 'Careless Whispers' by Wham! I nodded my head to the song when I felt a hand grab me and pull me to the dancefloor. It was Justin. He placed my hands on his shoulders as his fell to my waist. 

"I was beginning to think you forgot about me" I said as he gave me half a smile. 

"No, it's just that I know you're not my biggest fan, so I decided I would just let you chill for the night" He said as he continued to sway to the music with me. 

"Thanks for bringing me here Justin" I think it was the drinks, but I all of a sudden felt comfortable. A little too comfortable with Justin. I looked into his eyes and noticed that he seemingly does want to be my friend. That he is in fact, trying

"It's no problem. God you don't know how miserable you make everyone when you mope around in that house all day"  I hit him on his shoulder as he let out a laugh. 

"Well, it's not easy" 

"I know" He said as we both focused on dancing with one another. We got a little closer as the song got more intense. There was one moment where I looked up and he was looking straight at me.

"What?" I said, barely audible. 

He leaned in, his lips mere inches from mine. I closed my eyes and swallowed hard preparing myself for what I thought might happen before...
"Let's just say Kylie not being able to make it may have not been so bad"

I'm never gonna dance again,Guilty feet have got no rhythm.

Though it's easy to pretend,I know you're not a fool.

I should have known better than to cheat a friend,

And waste the chance that I'd been given.So I'm never gonna dance again,

The way I've danced with you...

End Notes:

Song: 'Careless Whispers' by Wham!

 

Please review! I hope you guys like! 

Chapter 2 by Nattiekins

"Ughhhh" I groaned as I rolled to the other side of my bed before lifting my body up. I had the WORST headache in the world. I could hear Advils calling my name.

"Good morning Lily. Or should I say Good Afternoon?" I heard as I noticed a smiling Justin walk into the room. 

"Ugh, what time is it?"

"About 12:30. How'd you sleep Lily?"

"Fine I guess. Why do you keep calling me Lily?" I asked, wondering where his sudden nickname came from. 

"Well last night, after we danced you sorta...had a bit too much to drink. On the way home you went on and on about how you thought the Lilies I brought for Kylie were so beautiful and how they're your favorite flower because you always remember your mom smelling like sweet lilies when you are a kid, blah blah" He laughed, I slapped my hand to my head.

"Oh gosh, I gave you my whole life story didn't I?" I asked a bit embarrassed. 

"Just a tad of it" He said with a chuckle. "I didn't mind though Lily, you were interesting" 

"Don't call me that"

"What? Lily? Or interesting?" He asked sarcastically with a smirk. 

"Where's Kylie?" I asked completely ignoring his question. 

"She went out for a run"

"Gosh, why does she keep leaving us alone like this? It's like a secret plot to get us to like eachother or something" I asked while getting up to go to the bathroom. 

"Yeah and it's totally unnecessary"

"Why you say that?"

"Because...I already like you" Justin said with a cheese smile. I rolled my eyes and continued onto the bathroom.Inside I tried to remember just WHY I thought Justin would kiss me. He's my best friend's boyfriend for goodness sakes. I tried my best to shake the thought from my head and continued brushing my teeth. After washing up I walked out to find Justin flipping through the tv. "Wanna watch a movie?" I shrugged and took a seat next to him on the couch. 

"Let's watch Taken" I demanded. 

"Whatever the lady wants" He joked. I stared at the tv as the movie began. When it was over, it was oddly quiet, until Justin began. "Kylie told me you write"

"Huh?"

"You write. You know..take a pen and paper and put words together?" I scoffed. 

"I do. Short stories and poems" I began. "Why you bring that up?" 

"No reason. I mean maybe I would like to read some of them one day" He said honestly. 

"I don't think you wanna do that"

"Why not?"

"Because I suck" I laughed. 

"Oh come on. From what Kylie says, you're really good" 

"Justin, she's my best friend, of course she's gonna say that. She's supposed to" I said while folding my legs pretzel-style. I met eye to eye with him and he smiled.

"Well then let me judge for myself" He blurted. 

"No"

"Come on" He pleaded. I shook my head. 

"Not happening"

"Why not?" 

"Because...I suck"

"I bet you don't suck Lily. Let me just read one. Just one"

"What did I tell you about calling me that?" 

"Nothing, you never really made it clear to me" He's right, I didn't. 

"Ugh, Justin"

"Just one" I stared at him before getting up to go to my dresser. I pulled out my notebook of poems staring at it before turning around. I never let anyone read my work before. Only Kylie and that was only because she threatened to kick me out if I didn't. I don't know why of all people I'd let Justin be the only other person to read. He just seemed...honest. I stopped thinking and handed him the notebook as he opened it eagerly. I sat back down..not making eye contact or watching him as he read. I stared blankly at the tv waiting for him to finish. 

"Lily, this is beautiful" I heard him say. Inside I was doing cartwheels at the thought of someone genuinely liking my work. 

"Thank you. Which poem is that?"

"Almost There" He said. I personally believe that's my best poem. "Who is it about?"

"My parents. They're divorced now. My father cheated on my mom ridiculously. It screwed all of us up. Especially when he--" WOAH! AMBER STOP TALKING! I yelled to myself. His eyes searched mine, waiting for me to continue. 

"Especially when he what Lily?" I took a deep breath. I felt my eyes get teary. Thoughts of that day crowded my mind. The day my father beat my mother. Me and my sister Casey watched it all happen. I just...try not to think back to it. I was so horrified by that and it always brought me to tears. Only Kylie knows what happened that night. And here I was about to tell Justin. "Lily" He called, snapping me out of my daze. "What happened?"

I stared back at him, a tear already streaming down my cheek. "Um..when he beat my mother...in front of me and my sister. When I tried to convince her to leave him, she...she sent me away to live with my aunt " I said. He swallowed and came over to give me a hug. I finally let it out. I cried so hard on his shoulder it was unbelievable. I knew my father had hit my mother before then. But to finally see it was too much for me to bare. He rubbed my back and consoled me with several "It'll be okay"'s. He ran his fingers through my hair and brought my face up to his. 

"You're not alone Lily" He said. 

"I never thought I was alone Justin" I scoffed. 

"Lily, drop the toughness act for once please" He said strictly. My eyes widened."Let someone be there for you" I sniffled, staring back into his eyes. I felt butterflies in my stomach. We were so close once again. I wanted to let him in. But something just didn't let me.  

"I can't" I bit my lip. He wiped my tear with his thumb. I took a few short breaths when I heard the key in the door lock. Justin let me go and turned towards the tv. 

"What's up guys?" Kylie said all sweaty and hyper. She noticed my heavy eyes and Justin's somber tone. "What happened?" 

"Nothing" I said before going to the bathroom. To tell you the truth I don't really know what happened. Justin holding me that close just introduced me to so many things. I couldn't feel this way. I couldn't do this. I heard Kylie questioning Justin about why I was crying. I didn't know what the hell was wrong with me. No one had ever openly told me to let them in. I was a wreck. I started the shower and let the water wash away all of these feelings.

 -----
"Amber..can I talk to you for a second?" Kylie came over to me. I stopped from folding clothes and sat down with her at the table. 

"What's up?"

"It's Justin...he's been acting a little weird lately" I felt my body tense up. Was I that obvious.

"Wha-What do you mean?" 

"Like...I don't know. He's not as open as he was before" My eyes shifted from the floor to Kylie what must've been about a thousand times. 

"Well maybe he's just a little stressed or something?" 

"Maybe...do you think he's...seeing someone?" I took a deep breath. 

"What? No. Never Kye, how could you think that?"

"I don't know. I'm being stupid. Forget it" She said before getting up. I continued folding the clothes. 

"I'm glad you're liking him now" She said with a genuine smile. 

"What? Who?"

"Justin. You guys have been clicking a lot lately. I like it" She said before walking away. We have been clicking lately. And I do like him. Maybe a little bit more than I should...


Time can never mend

The careless whisper of a good friend

To the heart and mind

Ignorance is kind

There's no comfort in the truth

Pain is all you'll find...

End Notes:
Please review! It's moving slowly now but we'll get to the good stuff soon! Lol
Chapter 3 by Nattiekins
Author's Notes:
Thank you for all the great reviews! I'm so glad you guys are enjoying the story so far!

"Lily!" Justin exclaimed as he walked in. His enthusiasm to see me surprised me. 

"Hey Justin" I said while he gave me a quick hug. I walked back over to the couch where I was reading. 

"What are you reading?"

"A Streetcar Named Desire" I said before focusing my attention back to the book.

"Ooh good one. I think Blanche was completely crazy. She totally deserved everything she got"

"Yo-you read this?" I was somewhat, shocked I must say.

"Who hasn't?" He put his hands in his pockets. "That bitch was nuts"

"Okay she may have been crazy but Stanley was horrible as well. He definitely pushed her to her breaking point"

"What? Blanche was going to end up in the crazyhouse either way!"

"So you're telling me that him raping her and treating her like shit was okay?" I was beginning to get agitated.

"Of course it's not okay. I'm just saying that if he raped her or not she was going to somehow end up in a strait jacket"

"Ugh whatever Justin. Stanley was totally nuts and abusive towards Stella. HE was the crazy one!"

"Yeah alright, and that's why Blanche was ALWAYS seen in the light!"

"She didn't want to be seen in the light because she didn't want Mitch to see how old she was!"

"Which makes her crazy and delusional if she thinks she can have an honest relationship in the dark!" He shot back. I scoffed. "Exactly" He teased. 

"You actually payed attention to the book" I blurted. 

"Lily I'm not a complete idiot. I do what I do but I am no airhead" I suddenly felt bad for judging him. His words were forever gonna stick with me. 'I do what I do but I am no airhead'.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like--"

"That's alright. Don't be sorry. You're not the first one to think that way" Great Justin, make me feel even worse!

"I um...I should call Kylie and tell her you're here"

"Go ahead" He just said. I picked up my phone and dialed her number. "Hey this is Kylie. I can't get to the phone right now but if you leave a message--" Wonderful, no answer. I looked over to Justin who was flipping through my book. I decided I'd try calling Kylie again. 

"Hello?"

"Hey Kye. Um, did you know Justin is here for you?" 

"He is? I didn't know he was going over. Damn, I'm actually at an important meeting then I'm gonna head down for rehearsal for tomorrow's show. My models are still confused with the runways and stuff" Noooow she's leaving us again. 

"Oh. I can tell him to leave then"

"No Amber don't do that. Stay and watch a movie or something. Get to know him better" She insisted. I sighed. 

"Kye I don't need to be forced to like him"

"I'm not forcing you. I'm just being...persistant" That made me laugh a little. 

"Alright then. I'll see you later"

"Bye" I hung up and walked over to Justin. 

"She won't be able to make it. She's got a meeting and rehearsal" 

"I know" Wait that confused me. He knew she wasn't gonna be here and showed up anyways. 

"Wait. You knew she wasn't here and still came?"

"Uh huh"

"Why?"

"Because I wanted to bother you" I rolled my eyes.

"Mission accomplished. You may leave now"

"Lily why are you throwing me out so soon? Let's at least finish that conversation we were having"

"About what?"

"Well about you and...and your life"

"Justin I really don't want to get into that" I said while pouncing down on the couch and facing him. 

"See that's your problem Amber. You never want to get into anything. You keep everything bottled up that's why you're so bitchy all the time" He got me with that one. 

"Bitchy? Excuse me Mr. I-Have-Everything-I-Fucking-Want. You don't know anything about me. You expect to just waltz in here and I'm going to open up myself to you? Hell no"

"You won't allow me to know anything about you. I just want to help you"

"Well you can't help me Justin. Nothing can help me!" I yelled. I felt my eyes get watery. Oh gosh I didn't want to cry in front of him again. 

"Why not?"

"Why not, what?"

"Why can't anything help you?"

"Ugh, because"

"Because what?"

"Because no one gives a shit! Dammit Justin why the fuck are you asking so many questions?" I said while wiping my eyes. He just came over and hugged me. Falling into his embrace, my tears went away. As they did I backed up from him. His piercing stare just, glaring at me. 

"Tell me about your mother Lily" He was back to the nickname. 

"What about her?"

"Everything. Whatever you remember" 

"She was so beautiful. Long black hair. Tan skin. She was Venezuelan. Her cooking was amazing. She always wore these beautiful skirts and dresses. Before my father started hitting her, they seemed perfect. He loved her. She always used to sing to us before bedtime. That's pretty much it I guess"

"You forgot something" He said while rubbing my knee.

"Oh yeah and what's that?"

"That she smelled like lillies" I smiled at that thought. 

"That too" I said with a chuckle.

"What happened when you moved with your aunt?"

"Well not too much better. Although I did learn more about my Venezuelan side. Once my dad began to go crazy he didn't want us speaking Spanish in the house. Nothing in reference to my hispanic side. So it wasn't until my aunt took me in that I actually learned how to speak Spanish" 

"Wow. You speak it fluently now"

"Por supuesto que si" I said with a smile.

"Nice" He said as he took my hand. "Now was that so hard?" I thought about it for a second. 

"No. It actually wasn't" Things got quiet after that and a bit awkward. Justin cleared his throat to break the silence. 

"Well I guess I should get going" He said as he got up. I got up to walk him to the door before he turned around. 

"You know you're really something Lily" That was random. 

"Thanks?" I laughed.

"You wanna go out tonight. There's this benefit tonight that Kylie was supposed to come with me to before she said she was busy. It's at 8:00" I bit my lip in hesitance.

"I don't know Justin. I mean--"

"Shh, it'll be fun. Get your most elegant dress and I'll be back here at 7:30" He said before leaving. I honestly didn't know what to think. I did know that this was strictly me filling in Kye's place. Of course, minus the kissing and stuff. I called Justin back to ask him what Kylie thought about this and he said that she actually encouraged it. 

----

Once 7:30 hit, I placed my final dab of Dolce and Gabana Light Blue perfume on. I walked to answer the doorbell which had just been rund hoping my long purple gown was "elegant" enough. My hair was in a sort of messy half-up do. I completed the look with natural make up and a simple necklace. I opened the door to see Justin in a black suit with a grey button-down under. He looked so handsome. 

"You look gorgeous Lily" He said as he stuck out his elbow for me to link my arm through. And that I did. 

By the time we got there, there were so many people eager to see Justin. He greeted all of them and answered their thousands of questions, including if I was his new girlfriend. I had found my self wandering off and ended up in the hor d'oeuvres section. Lost in my own world, I didn't even notice Justin walk over. 

"Enjoying that shrimp?"

"Yeah, sorry" I said as he laughed. He continued laughing as I got myself a napkin.

"Having fun?"

"Yeah it's nice. Everyone was so excited to see you"

"No, more excited to see my money"

"Huh?"

"They all wanna see how much money I'll donate to the charity. They could care less about how I'm actually doing" Wow. Here I go beginning to feel bad for him once again. No one caring about what you're actually feeling, just how fat your wallet is. Must be hard.

"Let's make this fun then" I walked over to the DJ who was playing boring ass music and whispered for him to put on Justin's very own, SexyBack. As the beat began, I never received so many dirty looks in my life. I began dancing over to Justin, pulling his arms to the middle of the floor. 

"What the heck are you doing? Stop it" Justin practically scolded through clenched teeth. He looked around, smiling embarrassingly at all the people who were engaged in whispers and pointing fingers. 

"They wanna make this night all about you? Then we're gonna make it all about you. Come on, Dirty baaaaabe, You see these shackles baby I'm your slaaaaave" I sang. I continued to dance around Justin in circles. Eventually he gave in and danced along as more people got on the dance floor. I had so much fun honestly. Justin just needed to loosen up a bit. I didn't really like the "Mr. I'm-trying-to-impress-everyone" Justin Timberlake. 

I ended up on the balcony overlooking the beautiful city. All the lights and fresh,clean air. I loved how the stars glistened also. 

"Hey you" I heard Justin. I turned around and smiled. "What are you doing out here, the party isn't over yet" 

"I know, I'm just looking at the stars" Corny, I know. But true. He looked up with me. After a few moments he spoke again. 

"Why haven't you tried to get in touch with your mother?"

"What? Justin, not here, please"

"I'm just asking. Whether she knows it or not, she has an amazing daughter. Lily thank you so much for what you did in there. You really made it a heck of a lot easier" I chuckled as his comment. 

"You're welcome. And she's tried to reach me" 

"Oh my god then how come you don't talk to her?"

"She kicked me out Justin. And please, I really do not want to think about that right now. Let's just continue to have a good night okay?"

"Alright" He forfeited. I nodded at him and began to make my way back inside. "Lily wait" He stopped me. I stared at him for what felt like years. 

"What Justin?"

"Thanks for coming with me tonight" He smiled as he kissed me on my cheek. I felt my stomach do cartwheels. I just blushed as I headed back in with him. 

 

Tonight the music seems so loud 

I wish that we could lose this crowd 

Maybe it's better this way 

We'd hurt each other with the things we'd want to say...

End Notes:
Please Review! :]
Chapter 4 by Nattiekins
Author's Notes:
Here's another chapter. Thanks for all the great reviews!

I'm done! I'm officially done! I can't do this any longer. I've begun feeling so uncomfortable. Feeling for Justin is not something I planned on doing. There's just something about him. The way he seems to care for me. I mean I know Kylie cares but this is...different. The next few days really showed me that I needed someone like him all along. This just wasn't who or how I planned for it to happen. Kylie had taken a vacation so she was seeing Justin more. I can't be mad. I mean he is HER boyfriend. There's nothing I can say. It's just the little unappreciative comments she's been making that have been getting under my skin. Like the one she's about to make right now. 

 

"Honey you should have gotten me a blue sweater. I already have a green one" I watched the look on Justin's face. All he wanted to do was impress and surprise his girlfriend. But she didn't seem to care. 

 

"You're right. I forgot, I'm sorry" What? He was apologizing? He never forgot, he didn't know she had a green sweater to begin with. I rolled my eyes and continued onto my room.

 

"Maybe Amber would like this one" Kylie said as she threw the sweater over to me. Lucky I caught it. I looked at Justin who looked upset that she didn't want it. 

 

"It's for you though, Kye" I said, my voice very low.

 

"I know but I already have one like it. Justin won't mind. Right baby?" She turned to Justin for approval. 

 

"No--No. Not at all. Take it Li--Amber" He said almost saying my nickname. He didn't say it around Kylie too much because she would ask too many questions. 

 

"Great!" She said before walking to the bathroom. "I'll go shower babe. Be out in 30" I watched as she shut the door and turned on my heel to head back to my room. I ignored the fact that I heard Justin's footsteps behind me. 

 

"You know you don't have to take the sweater if you don't want it. I can just return it" I turned to face him. 

 

"Are you crazy? Justin, you bought this for Kylie. I can't believe she actually gave it to me. But I'm not letting you return it. I'll wear it" I flashed him a smile as he did the same. "I'm actually sorry she didn't want it. Next time come to me before you buy her anything. I can help" He laughed. 

 

"I don't think I'll be buying her anything for a while" He said. I'm confused.

 

"Why not?"

 

"Nothing. I shouldn't have said that. Nevermind"

 

"No, Justin wait. Why not?"

 

"Because she never wants the things I give her. Or uses them. She throws them to the side like nothing. Like that sweater didn't cost me over $400" THANK GOD HE NOTICED! I really didn't wanna have to be the one to tell him. But wait, what did he just say? That the sweater costs over $400. Holy crap. I've never had a $400 sweater or piece of clothing before. 

 

I swallowed hard before speaking. "This sweater cost you $400?"

 

"Well $468 to be exact" I found myself not able to find air. I just stood up to walk out.

 

"Excuse me while I go smack Kylie" Justin began cracking up. 

 

"Lily you don't need to do that" I turned back around. 

 

"Justin you bought this for her and she doesn't even care. All she cares about is the fact that it should have been blue instead of green" I was really truly upset. This was so nice of him and Kylie was being a spoiled ungrateful bitch about it. 

 

"That's okay" Justin said with a laugh. "I'd rather you have it now. I know you'll appreciate it"

 

"I do" I said while sitting back down on my bed. "It's a beautiful sweater" I said while running my fingers on the stud buttons. The sweater was cashmere with beautiful crystal studs for buttons. How could she not want this? "Thank you" I said. "For letting me keep it" 

 

"Oh, no problem. Here, come on, try it on" Justin said, making me get up. I did as told and put the sweater on. I looked in the mirror as Justin came up behind me. He wiped off some of the lint before getting closer to my ear. "Wanna know something?" 

 

"Hmm?" was all I could say.

 

"I think it looks 10 times better on you than it would've on Kylie. You look beautiful" I couldn't help but blush. 

 

"Honey, I'm ready!" I heard Kylie call as Justin and I both turned around. Justin smiled at me before walking out the room. "What were you doing in Amber's room?" I heard Kylie ask, as I shut my door. This was really happening. 

 

-------

 

"No I am NOT calling her" I said as I placed the phone back down on the table. Things were back to how they were with Kylie going back to her busy schedule and Justin and I spending more time together. Things were weird for that week. And I must admit...a bit lonely. Right now I was fighting with Justin who was pressuring me to call my mother. I didn't want to speak to her. Yet he insisted. 

 

"Just see how she's doing. Let her know that you're alive" He said while picking the phone back up and placing it back in my hands. 

 

"Justin please. She never cared if I was alive before, why would she now?"

 

"Lily. Look at me" I did so. "She realized what mistake she made. Please. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for me" He gave me the puppy dog lip. I for some reason found it irresistible and began to dial. My mother was now living in Florida and had a new husband and a teenage son. 

 

As the phone rang, I looked at Justin, my eyes pleading for him to tell me to forget it and hang up. But those words never came out of his mouth. Instead, he mouthed, "Relax" as he rubbed my arm. Here goes nothing. 

 

"Hello?" It was the voice of a boy. Probably my...my brother. I pressed the speaker button.

 

"Hi, may I speak to Marleny Mendoza or um, Peterson?"  

 

"Hold on. MOM!!!!!" I heard him yell. "PHONE!" I looked at Justin who nodded at me to keep going. 

 

"Hello?"

 

"Um, Marleny?"

 

"Yes"

 

"This is um...this is Amber. Your um...your daughter" I said with my eyes tightly shut. 

 

"Ayyyy Amber! Ay dios mio how good it is to hear from you. I can't believe you actually called. How are you mi hija?" I took a deep breath. 

 

"I'm alright. You?" 

 

"I'm good. Listen, I want you to please come talk to me. Just for a week, you can stay at my place"

 

"I don't know if that's a good idea"

 

"Mi'ja listen. I know I made some terrible mistakes. But please, just come" I looked at Justin.  He nodded. 

 

"Alright. A week. That's all I can stay" 

 

"Thank you so much. I will call you tomorrow with directions and information" She said. We exchanged a few more words before hanging up. 

 

"I can't go out there" I said as I put the phone back on the receiver. 

 

"What? You just told her you would" 

 

"I know, but I can't. Let me just call her back and tell her" I said while picking the phone back up.

 

"No!" Justing yanked the phone from my hand. "I'm going with you"

 

"What? You can't. What about Kylie?"

 

"I'll tell her I got an important meeting in LA. You're not doing this by yourself and Kye is too busy to go out there with you. So I'll go" He said. He was firm with his decision and there was no way around it. We were going to Florida. 

 

--------

 

"You ready to do this?" Justin asked me as we walked out of the airport. We had a smooth flight thanks to the fact that I was knocked out for most of it. 

 

"No. But you're making me so whatever" We waited for a cab where the ride was mostly silent. Justin grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

 

"It's gonna be alright. I'm here for you" Yeah but not the way I'd like for you to be. Oh god, I shouldn't have said that. 

 

"Thanks" We pulled up to my mother's house in Orlando pretty quickly. When I knocked on the door I was greeted by a huge hug from her. 

 

"Amber baby. I've missed you" She said. "Y este? Es tu novio?" I shook my head quickly.

 

"No, he's just my friend Mami" Oh my god, I called her mami.

 

"Nice to meet you. Marleny" She introduced herself. 

 

"Justin" he said while giving her a kiss on the cheek. There was a little moment in between them that I just decided to brush off. We had bigger things to handle. 

 

"Your room is this way. I'm sorry there's only one guest room so you'll have to share" Juuuuuuuuust great! I'm so ecstatic about this. 

 

"Thanks" I said while walking in and looking around. The decorating was amazing. From the curtains on the window to the fabric of the bedsheets. We even had our own bathroom. I placed down my luggage and headed back to the kitchen. 

 

"You all are just in time for dinner" She said. She told us to wash our hands and get seated. On the way to the table I saw a young boy who looked about 15.

 

"Who are you?" He asked.

 

"Alex, that's no way to treat guests. This is your sister, Amber" He looked me up and down. I smiled nervously, thankful that Justin had finally sat down next to me. Alex's eyes lit up as he watched Justin. I forgot the man sitting next to me was rather famous. We said a prayer, before eating. My mother was a complete different woman than how I remember her. Her hair a salt and pepper color. And her husband Jeff. He was a nice man. Conversation wasn't left out at the dinner table by the way. Although I wish it was.

 

"So Amber, what is it you do now?" My mother asked while filling her own plate. 

 

"I'm an accountant" I answered simply. 

 

"That's a great job" Jeff said with a smile while passing me the potatoes. 

 

"I heard you ran away when you were like 15" Alex blurted. I looked up at him and then my mother. 

 

"What?"

 

"You know, you got bullied in school so you ran away" She lied to him. She never told them she had kicked me out. I stayed quiet and decided I'd play along. Just so I wouldn't ruin someone else's life. 

 

"I did" I couldn't believe this shit. 

 

------

 

"You believe she fucking told him I ran away!" I said to Justin who was in the bathroom. I was getting ready for bed and fuming mad. 

 

"I know" Was all he kept saying. But did he really? I don't think so. 

 

"I mean why couldn't she just have been honest. Just let everyone know what a horrible mother she was!" I was flipping the covers over roughly and getting in bed. "Now I'm the bad guy" Justin walked out of the bathroom in nothing but a pair of boxers and a wifebeater. I tried my hardest not to stare. Not to notice the way his muscles were perfectly outlined. The way I just wanted to lick him from head to toe. NO! NO Amber! That's Kylie's boyfriend!

 

"Lily, relax. I know you're upset but you've gotta understand he's only 15. She can't tell him just yet" He got into the bed next to me. "Border?" He asked. 

 

"Huh?"

 

"You know? A border. We take the pillows and put them in the middle to separate. So you won't feel uncomfortable" That was so sweet of him. 

 

"I think I'd actually like to use all those pillows to suffocate myself right now" He laughed. 

 

"Okay so no border it is! Goodnight. Don't kill yourself with me next to you" He placed a kiss on my forehead and laid down. I laid down and looked over to him. Inhaling his scent. I closed my eyes and tried falling asleep before feeling a few tears come down my  face. I kept my eyes closed but I felt Justin turn his body. He grabbed my waist and held me close, saying no words. 

 

"What are you doing?" I whispered. 

 

"You sounded like you needed somebody to hold you" And with his arms wrapped around me, I drifted off to sleep. 

 

We could have been so good together 

We could have lived this dance forever 

But now who's gonna dance with me 

Please stay 

Chapter 5 by Nattiekins
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews! I'm so glad ya'll like it! :]

Okay I shouldn't be here right now. I should NOT be waking up in Justin's arms. This is...wrong. I shouldn't be doing this. I shouldn't like it. Right now I feel his breath on the nape of my neck. He's got his arm tightly wrapped around me. I lifted my head to see the clock. 9:30 it read. I slowly lifted Justin's arm and slipped out of his grasp. He turned to lay on his stomach but stayed asleep. I went to the bathroom to wash up before heading to the kitchen where I smelled lots of food. 

"Hola niña" My mother said while flipping a pancake. I rubbed my head and leaned against the counter. 

"Hey ma" I watched her cook for a bit before hearing running down the stairs. 

"Alex, calmate. It's early" Alex looked at me before rolling his eyes. What was his problem?

"Whatever. I'm gonna go get breakfast with Kelly-Ann" He said. 

"Hijo, I'm making breakfast right now. Why are you going to waste money?"

"Ma, she asked me if I could take her and I told her I would"

"No"

"Ma, let him go" I stepped in. They both just looked at me. 

"I'm sorry Amber but you have not been here. You don't know how Alex will say he'll be back at a certain time and show up three hours later" Alex scoffed. 

"Alright, listen Alex, if you promise to be back by 12:00, she'll let you go"

"Wha-" She tried to protest. 

"Eh!" I stopped her. "Will you be back by 12:00, Alex?" He nodded before running outside with his skateboard. 

"Good Morning!" I heard. Justin came and kissed me on the side of my forehead before giving my mother a kiss. "The food smells great in here"

"Well I hope you like it" She said as she placed pancakes on a plate for him. I sat at the table as Justin joined me. He smiled before digging into his food. He has the cutest smile ever. My mother came and sat next to us, as did Jeff. There was silence, with the exception of the constant clinging of the silverware banging against our plates. I had to bring it up. Justin told me I needed to talk to her. We're four adults. We can handle this conversation. 

"So you told him I ran away?" My mother looked up and so did Justin. Jeff just continued eating. 

"He um..he"

"He what ma? Why couldn't you just tell him you kicked me out?" She stayed quiet. "Is that all I am to you? A lie? A coverup? You told him I ran away so that I'd look like the bad one and you won't look like the worst mom ever?" She blinked and played with her food. 

"He was young. He won't understand"

"He's 15! He already talks back to you and is rude"

"Stop talking about your brother like that!"

"It's the truth! Gosh why won't you realize that!" I was getting angry. I felt my palms get sweaty and I heard Justin clear his throat. 

"Hija. I know I did wrong. And I'm sorry. I want to make it up to you"

"Well you can't ma! The only way we can move past this is if you start telling the truth"

"Okay" was all she said. I stayed looking at her for a long while before putting my fork down. 

"I lost my appetite" I said as I got up from the table. I walked out to the front yard and sat on the porch. I felt the cool breeze blow my hair off my shoulder as I watched two little kids play across the street. A few moments later, Justin came out and sat right next to me. I didn't say anything. Just kept watching the kids. "Do you ever want to be a kid again?" He chuckled. 

"All the time" He said quietly. 

"There weren't many problems. I mean until I got older. But when I was 4 or 5, I had not a care in the world" I took a deep breath and licked my lips. Justin shifted closer to me. 

"You were really strong in there Lily" I just nodded and looked at him. His blue eyes staring at me before speaking again. "You said everything you needed to say to her. Hopefully she'll tell the truth" I blinked a few times before he looked down and laughed a little. When he looked back up, I was still staring. "What? Do I have um..food in my teeth or something?" I couldn't help but smile. 

"Thank you, for coming with me. I couldn't have done this without you" He smiled. 

"Don't thank me Lily. That's what I'm here for" He hugged me and before we parted, our eyes met. I swear he has the most beautiful eyes ever. The crystal blue color drives me nuts. I wanted to kiss him. I needed to kiss him, but before I could...

*RING RING* His phone went off. 

He grabbed it quickly, looking at the caller ID. "It's Kylie" He said and in some strange way, my heart sort of sunk. "Hello" He answered it while I focused my attention back on the kids. "LA is great. I've been so busy though, meetings all the time" I heard her squeaky voice. He rolled his eyes and looked at me before putting the phone on speaker. 

"You always got work to do. Always at a meeting, always this, always that! Never always me!" GOD I had never realized what an annoying girlfriend Kylie could be. I wanted to snatch the phone from Justin's hand and throw it across the street. "Justin? Are you there? Justin"

"Yeah I'm here. I'm sorry. I'll call you later. I'm going into another meeting"

"You see what I'm talking about? Always--"

"Gotta go" He said before flipping the phone shut. I couldn't help but laugh at the stressed-out look on his face. 

"Your girlfriend is nuts" I said in between laughs. 

"Hey that's YOUR best friend"

"Yeah but she doesn't act like that with me" 

"Lucky" He said. I laughed even harder before getting up. 

"Come on, let's go inside" I said as he followed. 

-----------

 

I hate arguing. That's all I've been doing with this lady for the past 3 hours. Jeff and Justin went to go buy some things. Alex isn't back yet and she's blaming it all on me. Always my fault. No matter what. 

"You act like I fucking knew he wasn't gonna listen!" I yelled. 

"Watch your language with me. Remember I'm still your mother. And I told you he wouldn't listen. He has no respect for you. He doesn't know you" She screamed back. 

"And who's fault is that? Not mine" I ran into the room that Justin and I were staying in and grabbed the laundry. "Don't try to blame me for your bad parenting. He's like that because of you" I slammed the door and heard Jeff and Justin get back home. 

"Woah, what the hell is goin on in here?" Jeff's southern accent loud, and stern. Justin walked in to the room as I was pacing back and forth, pissed. 

"What happened?"

"This..lady here! Telling me its my fault that Alex isn't here yet!"

"That kid is crazy" He said. 

"I know! It's not my fault she doesn't know how to raise a kid!" 

"Well, she did tell you he won't be back on time"

"Oh now you're on her side!" I yelled. 

"I'm not on her side, I'm just saying"

"Don't 'just say' Justin. You believe she's fucking right, don't you?"

"I don't!"

"Just say you do! I already see it in your face you do!"

"I don't think she's--"

"You do" And before I knew it there it was. Justin's lips crashed onto mine and it was everything I wanted and needed at that moment. I don't know where this kiss came from. I don't know why he did it. What I do know is that the rage that filled my body now turned into bliss. I was on cloud nine as his tongue traced my bottom lip, begging for entry. His fingers played with my hair as he deepened the kiss just a bit before pulling away. No! Don't pull away! Let's keep kissing!

I swallowed hard as I looked at his smirking face. "Would you please shut up?" He asked. I laughed and wiped my lip. He definitely shut me up with that one. 

I walked into the bathroom not knowing how to perceive the kiss. It was wrong yet right in so many ways. Ways that for sure outweighed the wrongfulness. I peeked out the door and saw Justin flipping through the channels on the tv. I opened the door and walked out slowly as he watched me. He moved over on the bed for me to sit next to him. 

"I'm sorry. For screaming at you. You came all the way over here with me and I shouldn't be yelling at you and--"

"You promised you'd shut up" I smiled. I never did promise but, I'll be quiet for now. 

"Alright..I am sorry though" 

"I'm not" He said, his eyes still on the tv. 

"Huh?"

"I'm not sorry for kissing you Amber" I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to say anything. But I knew I had to. 

"Oh. You're not? Um..how come?"

"Because it was the only way to get you to stop yelling" I laughed, as did he. "And..I've wanted to. For a while now" Alright somebody please wake me up now!

 

I feel so unsure

 As I take your hand

And lead you to the dance floor...

End Notes:
Let me know what you guys think! :]
Chapter 6 by Nattiekins
Author's Notes:
Here's another chapter! I hope you all enjoy!

The next few days were more than awkward. Everything I did, I tried to make look good for Justin to see. Even my mother noticed it. From the way I walked, to the way I cleaned, EVERYTHING. Justin just seemed to laugh everything off though. This whole thing was just really funny to him. 

 

I sat on the cousch, reading a book when I felt someone pounce down next to me. I looked over to see a smiling Justin. 

 

"Whatcha reading now?" He asked being nosy. 

 

"The Bluest Eye" I said sternly. He nodded and tapped his knee. I tried to keep reading, I tried to stay quiet, I really did but the tapping just got so friggin' annoying! "GOD would you please stop!" I shot at him. He looked at me as his hand fell to his side. I looked back over to my book.

 

"You know you've been acting really weird for the past couple of days" I knew I'd have to have this conversation someday. 

 

"What? How?" 

 

"Well you walk around here all sexy. Then when I try to talk to you, you give me some sick attitude" Sexy? Did he just say I was sexy? Oh my gosh!

 

"I don't have an attitude" Justin scoffed. "I don't"

 

"Sure, whatever you say. Don't make me kiss you again" 

 

"Don't do that whenever I don't shut up. Just tell me to be quiet. You can't go around kissing everyone that doesn't stop talking" He laughed. 

 

"Well maybe I just wanna kiss you"

 

"Well you shouldn't" I said while turning to him. "You have a girlfriend. Who happens to be my best friend--"

 

"Lily, we both know it's not working out--"

 

"That's not the point! If you don't wanna be with her, then end it. Don't have me as a side hoe" There I put my foot down! 

 

"I can't end it just yet..."

 

"I'm not asking you to. Just don't kiss me again"

 

"I can't do that either" I rolled my eyes as far back as they could go. 

 

"Nothing. Look do you wanna go out on your stepdad's boat? He told us we could whenever we wanted to" I just looked at him. My stepdad had a boat? I got up and Justin led me to the backyard. We went out this little passage way leading up to a wonderful lake. The fresh clean air was mesmerizing. I just took in the scenery and looked around a bit before I heard Justin calling out for me. I watched him as he set up the boat and got in. He looked back and flashed a smile. 

 

"Come on" He said as he helped me get inside. I was nervous as the boat wobbled a bit but Justin held on tight. "It's okay. I got you" He said. I smiled nervously as I sat down. Justin began paddling and I looked on as the trees flapped away on this somewhat chilly day--at least Florida-wise. 

 

"This is beautiful" I said. Justin nodded. He stopped in the middle of the lake and just looked at me. A flock of geese came and scared the crap out of me and Justin laughed. I gave him what I like to call "the look" and he quieted down. I took a piece of hair and placed it behind my ear.

 

"Your mother told Alex the truth" Justin blurted. I just stared at him. 

 

"How do you know?"

 

"I overheard them talking when she went into his room this morning. He didn't take it so well" I nodded. I expected that. "He thinks she's gonna kick him out" I cleared my throat. 

 

"Do you think she will?" I asked him. He blinked a couple of times. 

 

"Honestly?" I nodded. "No"

 

"Why? What's so different about him? I wasn't half as bad growing up. The kid's a delinquent"

 

"Relax Lily. That's your brother" 

 

"So what!" I yelled. 

 

"So its not his fault! She raised him that way. And let's just say her kicking you out may have been the best thing because look at you"

 

"What about me? I didn't have the love of my mother like you did. I didn't have someone to call to give me advice when I needed it" My voice raised again.

 

"And you turned out amazing anyway!" He yelled back. "You're fucking beautiful and smart and sweet. But all you do is fucking complain and complain over and over cuz your life didn't go the way you wished it had" I stayed shut. "You're an amazing writer and you don't do anything with it! You work in some crappy bank and try too hard to act like you're enjoying yourself. You know what you are? You know what your problem is? You're aloof"

 

"Aloof? I am not aloof" I said in complete denial.

 

"You are. You sit home on Friday nights while everyone else is out. You don't even make the best of that. You also push everyone away who tries to get close to you. Except for Kye. Face it. Aloof"

 

"Oh you're full of shit. Take me back" 

 

"I'm not full of shit. I'm just honest"

 

"No you're an asshole. Take me back!"

 

"No"

 

"Now"

 

"Nope"

 

"AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I screamed as loud as I could in the middle of nowhere. The geese all flew away as fast as they could. 

 

"Oh my god you're so annoying. Let's go!" Justin said paddling back to the dock. As soon as we got there I jumped out and stomped away with my arms crossed. Justin tied up the boat as I headed back inside. 

 

"Hello? Hello" I yelled. "Great" I said to myself. No one was home. I ran up the stairs as I heard Justin walk in and lock the door. I felt warm tears come down my face and I didn't know why. I had always tried hard to belong and there Justin told me I didn't. I had to admit, that hurt. I grabbed my journal as I laid on my bed. This hurt more than it should and I knew it. It wasn't as if anyone had just told me I was aloof. It was someone I cared about someone I--

 

"Lily" I heard. I looked back and wiped my tears. I got up to shut the door in his face but he stopped it with his hand. 

 

"Get out"

 

"Please, can we talk"

 

"I don't know why you would want to, since I'm so aloof" I walked over to the bed and sat down. He walked over and stood at the foot of the bed. 

 

"I didn't..I didn't mean what I said out there"

 

"Oh sure you didn't" I said while getting up. "Oh, and this is the part where you tell me how sorry you are and beg me for forgiveness. Where you tell me that-that I'm not aloof, and I'm the most beautiful person ever. Oh and you also admit that you're in love with me and you couldn't stand to see me constantly down myself when you think so highly of me. Am I right" Justin stayed shut. "Save it" I walked over to the door and waited for him to leave. 

 

"You are" He said quietly. 

 

"What?" I was really irritated. Extremely irritated. 

 

"You are right. That's...that's what I wanted to come up here and do" I swallowed hard. 

 

"Well you can go now" 

 

"No, Lily listen. You can't think that because it seems that your mother didn't love you, no one will" 

 

"Well no one has. I'm sorry Justin, I'm not the whole-hearted person you were opting for me to be"

 

"Just shut up! I'm trying to be here for you Lily. I came all this way with you to support you and be there for you. Then that kiss"

 

"That kiss meant nothing Justin. What about Kye?" 

 

"Kye barely cares for me anymore. But you..you and I actually like the same things. And your writing. Probably the most amazing I've seen. Lily don't push me away"

 

"Justin we can't do this"

 

"Why not. It's right isn't it" Justin took a few steps towards me. I felt my body tense up as his nose barely touched mine. 

 

"We..don't know if..if it's right" I tried to say. 

 

"Then let's see" And that was it. That was the moment that I gave up. I couldn't handle it anymore. At that very second, if I wasn't before, I was now. I fell in love with Justin Timberlake.

 

---------

 

"Amber honey can you ask Justin if he can go to the store?" My mother asked. "I need eggs"

 

"He already went. Check the fridge" I loved that about Justin he knew what was needed, before asked. Since the night we kissed he has been everything I could ask for. 

 

"Hey baby" He said coming up from behind and kissing the side of my forehead. Yes, the pet names started. 

 

"Hi" I smiled. I felt all giddy inside. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I tried to ignore it until Justin noticed. 

 

"Answer that" 

 

"Oh but I don't want to" I said as I wrapped my hand around his waist. 

 

"Get the phone Lily" He laughed. I groaned as I got it out of my pocket. It was Kylie. 

 

"Hello?" I felt like such a horrible person. Here her boyfriend was playing with MY hair, kissing MY shoulder. 

 

"Hey Amber. How's everything?" 

 

"Um, it's great" I brushed Justin off. "I'm with my mom"

 

"I know. Listen I'm sorry I couldn't make it out there with you. I'm booking the next flight out there to be with you"

 

"Kye, that's not necessary--really"

 

"No! No excuses Amber. Plus it's kind of lonely here without you or Justin. All I have is Bryan and I can't stand being around someone so hot and so unable to do something about it. So I'm coming out there" I sighed. I couldn't believe what she had just said. She wasn't coming out here for me. She was coming to prevent herself from cheating. What a best friend. I guess that didn't matter though. What did matter was that she was coming out here, and she'd be here by tonight.

 As the music dies

Something in your eyes

Calls to mind a silver screen 

And all it's sad good-byes 

Chapter 7 by Nattiekins
Author's Notes:
Here's another chapter guys! So happy to now be on the Featured Stories list! Thanks again! :]

"Amber!" I heard from behind me. She was here. I immediately put a fake smile on my face and turned around. 

 

"Kylie! You're here" I said trying to fake excitement. She was smiling at me very brightly before Justin walked in. 

 

"Baby I can't believe you're-" He stopped when he saw Kylie holding me hands. "Here" he finished. She stared at him and then looked back at me. 

 

"Justin" She began. I blinked and swallowed hard. "I thought you were in LA" He cleared his throat. 

 

"I was. But I heard about Amber and I came out here to check on her"

 

"Who did you hear about Amber from?" Justin remained quiet for a few moments. 

 

"You..remember? You told me a couple of days ago" I bit my lip hoping she would remember. She laughed and threw her head back. 

 

"Oh my god you're right. I didn't even remember" Stupid. Sorry, sorry Kylie. I didn't mean that. "Hi baby" She said as she approached him and attempted to give him a kiss. He looked at me with apologetic eyes but for some reason I didn't care. I couldn't care. 

 

"Mi'ja who's here?" My mom came out and asked. She eyed Kylie up and down. 

 

"Hola Mrs. Mendoza"

 

"Kylie. You're so big and beautiful. Come here sweetie" She said opening her arms to Kylie. While they were hugging, Justin stole another glance of me but I just rolled my eyes. 

 

"Oh! I nearly forgot. I have to go visit my friend Janet across town. I'll be back at 12:00" I thought she was here for "me". Guess not. "Is that okay?" I nodded quickly. 

 

"Sure. Go ahead" She gave me a quick kiss and handed me her small bag of luggage. By the looks of it she wasn't staying too long. 

 

"Put these in J's room" She said before leaving. I made my way upstairs to the room and I heard someone follow me. 

 

"Why didn't you tell me she was here?" I turned around to see Justin. 

 

"How was I supposed to know? She didn't say what time she was coming" I turned around and placed her bags down.  

 

"A warning would've been nice"  

 

"It was impossible. But now you get to have sex and be with your girlfriend. Whoopie!"

 

"Are you jealous?"

 

"Me? Of what?"

 

"Oh Kylie coming here"

 

"No. I just...I don't want to look at you right now"

 

"Me? Lily you have just as much fault in this as I do" Justin yelled. 

 

"Don't call me that and don't scream at me! Look just get out"

 

"No Lily. Look there's something here and you know it. You're just afraid to let it happen"

 

"I'm not afraid, it's that it CAN'T happen Justin. What don't you get? My best friend is your girlfriend. This isn't right"

 

"Says who?" Justin came and closed the space between us. Our lips centimeters apart. His breath smelled mint fresh. My lips began to quiver as I searched for the right words.

 

"It's not right" Was all I could repeat. Great job Amber. 

 

"Says who?" He repeated. I looked at him as he leaned in a little bit closer. 

 

"No! Justin!"

 

"What?"

 

"I can't do this" All of a sudden I felt him tightly grab my arm and spin me around. As soon as I felt his lips on mine everything felt okay. This, this was where I was supposed to be. In his arms there was something I hadn't found. But here it was. I wanted to call him mine but I couldn't. He pulled away from me and placed both his hands on the sides of my face. 

 

"This isn't right?" He asked faintly. I felt my eyes flutter. 

 

"Justin" I whispered. 

 

"Shh" He said before lowering his lips to mine once again. 

 

--------

 

"You were out late last night" I said to Kylie who was pouring herself coffee. She didn't say anything and rushed to sit down. 

 

"Janet's brother Jason was there" She said with a smirk. I stared at her.

 

"Ok..."

 

"Well we played a game and we kinda ended up...making out"

 

"What?!?" I tried not to scream too loud. 

 

"Shut up you're going to wake everyone" She whispered. "He's a great kisser"

 

"But what about-"

 

"Shh" She kicked me under the table.

 

"Good morning everyone" I heard from behind me. I turned to see Justin wearing nothing but a pair of sweat pants. His toned body glistening with little shower droplets. He walked over to Kylie and kissed her on the lips. Little did he know he was tasting another man. He kissed me on my forehead before taking a seat next to Kylie. "How are my two ladies today?"

 

"Good" Kylie responded with a smile. She looked at me while I was still in much shock. 1. From the news she just gave me and 2. from what Justin was wearing. Or should I say, not wearing. She widened her eyes as if telling me to act normal. 

 

"Fine" I said. "Just fine" Justin eyed me before I looked away. I wanted to grab him and do so many things to him. Yet he couldn't be mine. 

 

"I have to leave on Wednesday" Kylie blurted out. 

 

"What? But you just got here" Justin said. 

 

"I know honey muffin but I got to get back to work. Bryan is harassing me"

 

"Who's Bryan?" Kylie turned to me. 

 

"My new boss" I just stared at Justin. I could see the look of hurt on his face. I felt so bad for the way he continued to desperately play her game. Here he was making out with me yet he wouldn't leave her. 

 

"Well, I'm going to go out for a run" I broke the silence. 

 

"Oh good, I'm going to go get my nails done. You coming baby?" She said while turning to Justin.

 

"No, I think I'll join Amber for a run" Nicely played, Timberlake. 

 

"Oh, you two have fun on your sweaty adventure" She said while getting up to go to the room. I threw on my sweatshirt while Justin did the same and we were out the door. 

 

I kept my pace nicely as Justin kept next to me, pulling up ahead of me every once in a while. I wrestled the thought in my head about bringing up Kylie or not. I wanted to tell him so bad about her and that Jason guy but I didn't want to see him crushed. Yet, he shouldn't be so crushed because he's doing the same to her, only worse. With me, her best friend. I tried to think about what I was going to do exactly but before I knew it, words came out quicker than I wanted them to. 

 

"Why don't you leave her?" Justin stopped and looked at me.

 

"What?" He said while trying to catch his breath. He placed his hands on his knees. I swallowed and looked into his crystal blue eyes.

 

"Why don't you leave her? Kylie" Justin stayed quiet for about 20 seconds. 

 

"I already told you Lily"

 

"No Justin! She treats you like shit. And you let her!"

 

"What the hell is wrong with you? Just last night you were telling me we couldn't do us because she's your best friend. And now you're telling me to break up with her? You make no sense"

 

"Well...let's just say I realized something overnight"

 

"Realized what? That you're always wanting something you can't have. First your mother now me? Quit cryin' over spilled milk" He snickered. I just stared at him with tears stinging my eyes. Before I could control it a burning sensation overwhelmed my hand as it collided with his cheek. He looked back at me. "I'm sorry"

 

"No" I said as I headed back to my house.

 

Why is it that everytime I want people around to distract me, there's no one there to distract me? Once again I stormed into an empty house and ran up the stairs. I sat on the corner of my bed and opened the drawer. Inside I found an old cd that must've been my mom's. I placed it inside the cd player. There the song "Careless Whisper" began. The same song Justin and I danced to for the first time. The first time I gave him a chance. I should've known I was wrong. 

 

The lyrics of the song had just began to sink in when I heard a knock at my door. "What do you want?" I asked bitterly. I paused the song and got up to shut the door in his face, but he, the stronger man, stopped it.

 

"I'm sorry Lily. I shouldn't have said that. I didn't mean it"

 

"Oh please Justin you know you did. You know since you really felt that way, I don't even know why you came out here with me. Was it because you thought you were gonna get a piece of vunerable, desperate ass? Huh?"

 

"No Lily. I didn't mean that. I was just upset"

 

"I don't understand why. All I did was try to give you advice"

 

"Advice that you know I can't take. I already told you I can't leave Kylie" 

 

"And I don't understand why. You're ridiculous"

 

"Please forgive me Lily. I'm sorry" I sighed and looked at his pleading eyes. 

 

"I still don't get why you won't leave her"

 

"I can't"

 

"Why not?"

 

"Because my little brother needs a kidney transplant. And she's the only one we know who's a match"

 

I was stunned. I didn't know what to think. She was going to do something selfless for once. There had to be a catch. She'd never do something like this just for the hell of it.

 

"There has to be a catch. What do you have to do if she does this?" He looked down at his feet.

 

"I have to marry her" 

 

Time can never mend

The careless whisper of a good friend

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1675