The Music Never Ends by DesperateThoughts
Summary:

JC and Laura find themselves trying to deal without one another in their lives.  Will they both succeed at moving on...Or will it come back and slap them in the face?

NOTE:  Sequel to "How Do You Keep The Music Playing?"

 

 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Group, JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 73319 Read: 87626 Published: Jan 29, 2010 Updated: Jan 30, 2010
Story Notes:

NOTE:  Sequel to "How Do You Keep The Music Playing?"

 

 

1. Chapter 1 by DesperateThoughts

2. Chapter 2 by DesperateThoughts

3. Chapter 3 by DesperateThoughts

4. Chapter 4 by DesperateThoughts

5. Chapter 5 by DesperateThoughts

6. Chapter 6 by DesperateThoughts

7. Chapter 7 by DesperateThoughts

8. Chapter 8 by DesperateThoughts

9. Chapter 9 by DesperateThoughts

10. Chapter 10 by DesperateThoughts

11. Chapter 11 by DesperateThoughts

12. Chapter 12 by DesperateThoughts

13. Chapter 13 by DesperateThoughts

14. Chapter 14 by DesperateThoughts

15. Chapter 15 by DesperateThoughts

16. Chapter 16 by DesperateThoughts

17. Chapter 17 by DesperateThoughts

18. Chapter 18 by DesperateThoughts

19. Chapter 19 by DesperateThoughts

20. Chapter 20 by DesperateThoughts

21. Chapter 21 by DesperateThoughts

22. Chapter 22 by DesperateThoughts

23. Chapter 23 by DesperateThoughts

24. Chapter 24 by DesperateThoughts

25. Chapter 25 by DesperateThoughts

26. Chapter 26 by DesperateThoughts

27. Chapter 27 by DesperateThoughts

28. Chapter 28 by DesperateThoughts

29. Chapter 29 by DesperateThoughts

30. Chapter 30 by DesperateThoughts

Chapter 1 by DesperateThoughts

A great deal can happen to a person in the course of a year. Stronger friendships can be built, a romance can bloom into something that neither person expected...It felt just like it was yesterday when they kissed for the first time.

~~~~

Well it's more than a feeling

When I hear that old song they used to play

And I begin dreaming

Till I see Laura Charles walk away

 

Laura smiled at JC's quick improv and began to play another song to see if he could catch what it was within the first few bars. She tried her best to change up the beat to throw him off, but he was too good at their little game. JC smirked and proceeded to sing the next song.

 

You drive a pretty car, you know how fine you are

And nobody needs to say it, no way

They love the clothes you wear, they compliment you

And I just love the way you play it

 

JC slowly walked over to Laura who was banging away at the keys as she smiled at him. He sat next to her at the piano and poked her in the side as she continued to play. He decided to tease her a bit more and leaned over and sang right into her ear. A tingle passed right through her spine when she felt his warm breath brush passed her ear.

 

But the only thing you dream of

Money can't buy for you, oh

And in my dreams I'll make your wish come true

For the girl who has everything, I bring you love

I bring you love

'Cause the girl who has everything can't get enough

Of my love

 

Laura struggled to finish the song.  It was becoming harder and harder with each shot of hot air near her ear and neck. She stopped playing and slid off the edge of the piano stool to stand. JC decided to mess with her even more and mimic an old Michael Jackson video as he followed her around the house singing the last part of the song acapella.

 

Why do you run and hide, say what you feel inside and

Why must you always fake it, oh yeah

 

Laura rolled her eyes as she tried to ignore him. She reached the refrigerator and opened the door to block him from being close to her. When she closed the door and walked over to the counter with a few strawberries in her hand JC decided to corner her.

 

Girl you need to understand

Your heart's safe within my hands

 

JC placed his hand over the middle of Laura's chest as he continued to belt out the tune while staring deep into her eyes.

 

I promise I'll never break it, oh

I know that you still dream of

What money can't buy for you

And in my dreams I'll make your wish come true

 

Laura pushed JC out of the way and walked into the living room and sat like a pretzel in the middle of the couch as she flipped the channels on the television.

 

"I guess this is your way of cowering in defeat" he said as he looked in the fridge for something cool to snack on.

 

Laura continued to flip through the channels, never looking his way. "No. You just decided to make the game all about pop acts tonight. You planned that out so that you couldn't lose this time. You must have used a two headed coin or something when we were deciding the theme."

 

JC laughed lightly to himself as he opened up the freezer door. Laura turned up the volume on the television and yelled out, "Oh yeah baby! Lower the camera just a centimeter...Damn!!! I have got to go and buy the "Fight Club" later and just fast forward to this part so I can go to sleep satisfied with thoughts of you and only you, Brad!"

 

"Yo, have you seem my little container of sorbet?" JC asked as he rummaged through the freezer.

 

"I ate it earlier when you were in the shower." she said quickly as she tried to get back into the movie.

 

"You did what?" he asked in dismay.

 

"I'll buy you another one. There was only like two spoonfuls left in there anyway."

 

"That's not the point, Laura. The point is that they were my two spoonfuls...I hate when you do that shit!" he yelled, slamming the freezer door shut.

 

Realizing he was serious, Laura looked away from the tv and over at him. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you would get so upset over a little jar of ice cream."

 

"You do it all the time! I get so psyched about a certain dessert or treat that I am going to let myself indulge in late at night...And then when I go to get it, it's gone!" he yelled.

 

Laura was upset over his reaction to something as trivial as a dessert. She turned the tv off and stood up, "Well if it's that important to you I'll go and get you one right now so you'll shut the hell up about it."

 

"Forget it now! The moment is gone. I'm not craving it anymore!"

 

"Then why are you still acting like I shot your dog? Get over it. Quit yelling at me over something so dumb."

 

"Dumb? What's dumb in wanting to be able to open up my own refrigerator and having food I bought for myself in there so that I can eat it? Why can't you just eat before you come over here?"

 

"Why don't I just make it easier on the both of us and just not come over here anymore." she said as she slid her feet into her flip flops and headed towards the back door.

 

JC stood there momentarily before calling after her. "Laura, wait!"

 

It was too late. She had already slammed the door shut behind her. JC stood there with his palms planted on the counter as he cursed himself. He glanced over at the end of the counter and could see her keys sitting there.

 

A few moments later Laura stormed back into the house and noticed JC standing by the counter looking down. "I left my keys." she stated she walked over to grab them. JC got to them before she could and held them behind his back.

 

"What are you doing?" she asked, trying to reach around his back to grab her keys. "Just give me my keys so I can get the hell out of here."

 

JC smile at her as he put his hand up high over her head. She reached up for them but he switched hands. Laura was already visibly upset with tears running down her face. She had, had enough of JC's games and tried to kick his legs from beneath him so she could recover her keys. That didn't seem to work either. He held the keys out of reach once more. She looked up at him and asked, "Dammit JC! Why are you always playing these games?"

 

He leaned his head down quickly and began to kiss her full on the lips. Laura feverishly kissed him in return, wrapping her arms tightly around his neck.  The keys fell to the floor and he brought his hands around her waist and pulled her closer to his body. A moment later, Laura pushed JC away from her and gasped for air. "This isn't right. We shouldn't be doing this." she panted.

 

BANG BANG BANG

 

Startled by the loud noises coming from her front door, Laura was awaken from her dream. She dragged herself out of bed and walked to the door and opened it slightly. "yeah?" she asked letting her eyes adjust to the light.

 

"Yeah? I fly all the way over here to see if my friend is dead or alive and all you can say is 'yeah'?"

 

"Hey, Hallie. I'm not dead. Sorry you had to waste the trip." she said sarcastically.

 

"Why do you smell and look like utter and complete shit?"

 

Laura rolled her eyes and she motioned for her to come inside. "I think I'm coming down with something."

 

Hallie waited for Laura to lay down on the couch before she checked her forehead to see if she was hot. "Well you feel a little warm. What are you symptoms?"

 

"For the past week I have been really tired. No matter how much sleep I get, it's never enough. I don't have an appetite...I just feel really weak. And I am always dehydrated."

 

"Are you about to start your period?"

 

"Nope. My schedule is weird. I'll go three months normally and then I will go a whole month without it...Which used to be a good thing when I wasn't single.  I stopped taking my birth control pills and I know it takes a while for things to get back to normal."

 

"You could be getting the flu. It also could just be fatigue and stress from the move and everything else going on right now." Hallie told her to lay back down and wondered where the closest store to her new apartment could be found. After getting directions she told her best friend she would be right back.

 

Laura sat back against the pillows and remembered the last time she had seen Hallie. It was during the time when her life was going straight down the tubes. She started to daydream again and found herself back in time to that night at the club.

 

"...You weren't even worth the effort..."

 

The words kept resonating inside her head. She must have been daydreaming for awhile because she was soon brought out of her daze when she heard the front door open and Hallie walked back inside with a large bag. She got up and followed Hallie into the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

 

"Okay, I got some Tylenol, Nyquil, vitamin C, soup, and a few other things." Hallie called out as she placed the items on the counter.

 

Laura stood next to her friend and sipped her water as she watched her unload the bag.

 

Hallie slid a small box over to her, "Here. Go and pee on the stick."

 

Laura looked down and noticed it was a pregnancy test. She lightly chucked and asked, "What's this for?"

 

"Just to make sure all your symptoms aren't attributed to something else." she said as she looked down towards Laura's stomach.

 

Laura slid the box away and waved her hands.  "I don't think so."

 

"Well, didn't you say you stopped taking your birth control pills?"

 

"Yeah, but I haven't slept with anyone lately." 

 

"Then I will have just wasted ten bucks.'  Hallie smiled. 

 

Laura quickly covered her mouth right after she spoke.  "Oh shit!  That night at the studio, before I left town…"

 

"You slept with him?  And you didn't tell me?"

 

"Because I knew you were going to give that judgmental look that you are giving me right now"  Laura pointed.

 

Hallie put her hands up defensively, "I'm not giving any looks over here."  She pushed the box over to her friend.  "Just do it...This way we can be sure and we can rule it out and move onto other reasons why you look and feel like shit."

 

Laura knew there was no arguing with Hallie once she got into nurse mode. She took the pregnancy test and went into the bathroom. When she was done she placed the tester on the sinks edge and sat down on the toilet staring at it.

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

"...Maybe one of each. It all depends on my husband and what he wants."

 

"Well, I can tell you right now that I want a boy and girl. Not necessarily in that order. Whatever you come out with first would be fine." he joked.

 

"So confident that I would actually marry you someday huh?"

 

"You'd probably marry me and then only wear your wedding ring when no one else was around…."

 

~~~~~~~~

 

"You okay?" she questioned as she leaned up against the doorway with her arms folded across her chest.

 

Laura snapped out of her daze. "Hmm? Oh yeah. Just waiting for the 5 minutes to pass."

 

"You've been sitting there staring off into space for the past 10 minutes already. I'm pretty sure it's done by now."

 

"Have I really?"

 

"Yes, goof-ball."

 

Hallie walked over to the counter and looked down at the test. Laura tried to read her face for the results but Hallie showed no expression whatsoever. She looked back over at Laura and asked, "How would you react if you weren't pregnant? Would you be relieved or disappointed?"

 

Laura sat there and thought about it for a moment. "A part of me would be briefly disappointed, and the other part of me would be extremely relieved."

 

Hallie picked up the test and walked over to the toilet where Laura was still sitting and crouched down in front of her

. She went to hand Laura the test and said, "Well it's official. You are positively pregnant."

 

Laura thought she was going to say 'you are positively right for feeling relieved'. The words didn't sink in until much later when she finally looked down and noticed the light blue plus sign in the display window. She dropped to test onto the floor and immediately covered her mouth with her hand. "Oh my God…What am I going to do?"

 

She looked over at Hallie who was rubbing her back and again asked, "What am I going to do?"

Chapter 2 by DesperateThoughts

"I wanna see some pussy tonight!" Joey called out as he, Chris, Justin, and JC walked through the red curtains.

 

"Joey!" Justin called over to him.

 

"What?"

 

"Welcome to the Pussycat Dolls review, gentlemen. Please follow me to your seats." the hostess said as she greeted the men.

 

The guys were invited to a benefit in Las Vegas that would aid in more funds for Cancer research. At $5,000 a ticket, it seemed like it should have been the best show on earth. The founders decided to put a twist on it this night. Instead of having celebrity guest stars such as Gwen Stefani, Carmen Electra, and Christina Applegate, they decided to put a few not so popular artists on the stage as well.

 

JC leaned over and whispered something to Justin before being interrupted by Rachel who had chased Nikky into the room to find JC.  She picked up the toddler and headed back outside into the banquet hall to wait on the adult oriented show to end.  As she was leaving she took one last look over at JC, who barely paid her any attention and was enjoying his discussion with Joey and Justin.

 

When everyone was seated Christina Aguilera walked out and grabbed the mic. "Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to the Pussycat Dolls Review. Tonight we are going to do it a bit differently than usually. We've gone and picked out some great artists for you to see tonight. Although you may not see all of them in front of the camera's or the mics...Know that they are there. We decided to put them in our shoes for a night to see if they could handle the pressure. So let's show them some love when they come out to perform." she yelled into the mic as she tried to get the crowd revved up.

 

Justin was sitting on the end of the isle in the front row and turned around to talk to Bruce Willis who had just sent his daughter out of the hall back into the banquet room to wait until the show was over. Justin scribbled down his autograph and handed it down the line to the guys to sign for Willis' daughter.  Christina went on to explain to everyone all the work that went into training everyone for the show.

 

"Do you know who's performing?" Joey asked JC.

 

"I have no idea. It didn't say anything on the invitations and there aren't any programs so I am thinking it's one big surprise."

 

Christina waited for the applause to die down before yelling out "With no further ado, I would like to present our first performer. She has become a very good friend and mentor. I am very proud to say that she has worked with me on my albums."

 

Justin quickly looked up to find out who the woman could be. JC was too busy whispering to Joey to notice what Christina has said. Justin poked him in the chest with his elbow.

"Not only can she write the most amazing music, but she can also sing her ass off. Please give a big welcome to Ms. Laura Charles everybody!

 

Justin's eyes widened as he tried to look past Christina to see Laura. The curtains were still closed as Christina disappeared offstage. The band began to play as the curtains opened revealing a scene any man would die to be in. There were three red plush circular couches scattered onstage. At the top of the couch was a small platform with a pole that reached all the way to the ceiling. There were 9 women onstage. Three on each couch...Wearing only lingerie. JC immediately recognized the moans of the singer who was hidden somewhere onstage. Justin kept grabbing at JC to get his attention before finally being punched in the arm. "Stop. Dickhead! I know! he whispered loudly.

 

Mmm. . .my lips hurt

Mmm

Uhh

Oooh

 

The couches mechanically circled around and sitting on the couch in the middle of the stage was Laura. Wearing a Fedora hat cocked to the side and a pair of headphones as her mic, she cocked her hands on her hips and looked out into the crowd with a come-hither expression that raised male blood pressures for kilometers in every direction. The lights that were pointing to the stage were so bright that it was hard to see out into the audience...Laura took pleasure in knowing that she couldn't see how people were reacting to her. Her body was covered with a long red feather robe and a velvet rope hanging down on her shoulders.

 

Uhh-ooh

Ooh

Uhh

Ooh

Oh

 

She stroked the blood red velvet rope draped over her shoulders before standing up and walking to the edge of the stage with two other women. She looked over at them longingly and licked her lips. They leaned their faces close to hers as they took the edges of her robe in their hands and pulled it off her arms quickly as the chorus began to play.

 

(tie me)

Tie me up, tie me down

(make me moan real loud)

Make me moan real loud

 

Laura was wearing a bright white satin renaissance corset with garter belts and thigh highs along with feathery white Marabou high heeled slippers. She ran her hands up her body as she continued to sing.

 

(take off my clothes)

Take off my clothes

No one has to know

Whisperin I wanna feel a soft rope burn

(no one has to know)

Wanna feel a

 

Laura stopped and looked out into the audience and quickly slid the velvet rope back and forth across her shoulders to the beat as she whispered "Rope burn."

 

A hard beat from a drum punched the air, and she kicked her leg up and walked backstage to dance with the other girls. She played around with the rope as her shoulders worked back and forth, moving her ample breasts to and fro. Joey called out to her in encouragement, "Work it, girl! Work it!"

 

When you walked into the room you knew just what to do

Ya coulda gone from door to door but you knew just where to go to

 

Another drum punch, another kick, and one of her hands reached to her neck and rested on the top of the satin corset.

 

Come into my velvet room and tell me your fantasies

(tell me your fantasies)

 

When the lighting changed she could see the audience more clearly and spotted Justin, who was frozen, his mouth gaping. She was terrified to see who was sitting next to him, but her eyes drifted there anyway and she noticed JC. She looked next to him and eyed Joey and Chris, who were slack-jawed. She looked back over at JC who was sitting there stunned.

 

The passion in your voice I wanna hear as you start to tell me

While you take the blindfold and tie it gently on me

Don't wanna see but feel the things you're gonna do to me

(wanna feel it)

 

A smile crept across her face as she sang. She would use this night to show him exactly what he had given up. She would torment him with the thought that she no longer belonged to him. Confidence began to ooze out of her pours as she walked up closer to the edge of the stage and started down the steps. Stopping at the last step, she began to sing the chorus with the other girls while swaying her hips to the rhythm of the beat.

 

(tie me)

Tie me up, tie me down

 

She finished down the steps and walked up and down the middle isle as if she were looking for someone to sing to. Justin clapped, hooted, and whistled, egging on Laura's performance. Everyone in the crowd pointed his way because he was the most boisterous of them all. She smiled as she walked over to him. Chris hid his smile behind his hand. JC twitched when he felt her arm accidentally bump into his, in her attempts to drape the velvet rope around Justin's neck.

 

(make me moan real loud)

Make me moan real loud

(take off my clothes)

Take off my clothes

No one has to know

 

She ran her hand along Justin's cheek and under his chin, giving him a pleasant case of goose bumps.

 

Whisperin I wanna feel a soft rope burn

(no one has to know)

Wanna feel a

 

She then slid the rope back and forth on the back of his neck and got really close to his face and whispered, "Rope Burn." while he mouthed it to her with a deep grin on his face. 

 

Laura turned around with her back facing Justin as she sat down on his lap and sang. A hand caressed down her back and then pinched her lightly on the ass. She glared back at him before curling up into his lap for a second before moving on.

 

One in the mornin I'm feelin so free and sensual

Lyin here wearin just my imagination for you

Sensation will do

 

Laura stood up and danced in front of Justin and swayed her hips from side to side. Everyone was now hooting and pointing to JC who was still sitting there stunned. She walked up and ran her hands down JC's arms and back up his sides, avoiding any sensitive areas.  She wasn't going to give him that satisfaction.

 

Can you feel the warmth of the fire

Candlelight embrace your body

I'm feelin the hot candle wax drippin down the small of my back

 

She sat down on JC's lap and wrapped her arms around his neck as she sang. JC was trying everything in his power to think of anything else but how good she looked in the outfit to keep his member from rising. He breathed in deeply and could smell the scent of her perfume. She leaned back and let her head fall almost into Justin's lap and winked at him. She scooted over back into Justin's lap locking her ankles behind his legs. Justin reflexively placed his hands on her back to hold her steady. She looked deep into his eyes and sang, "You wanna know what my tongue feels like?" She leaned forward and nibbled on his neck. The crowd went crazy as they watched. Justin's eyes rolled into the back of his head. JC sat there and watched in utter dismay. He didn't know how to react. On the one hand he was jealous but at the same time, was extremely turned on as he watched her with his friend. He knew exactly what it felt like and knew Justin couldn't help but be hard from her touch. She let her tongue slide from his collarbone to his ear, digging in a little.

 

Mmhmm

You like that?

 

"Hell yes!" Justin yelled as he high fived Bruce Willis. Laura smiled at him as she got up off his lap and made her way back up onto the stage. She and the rest of the dancers walked back towards the couches. Laura and two other girls found themselves on top of the small platform holding onto the poles.

 

(tie me)

Tie me up, tie me down

(make me moan real loud)

Make me moan real loud

(take off my clothes)

Take off my clothes

No one has to know

 

Laura and the two other girls wrapped their velvet ropes around the pole as they danced around.

 

Whisperin I wanna feel a soft rope burn

(no one has to know)

Wanna feel a........

(tie me)

Tie me up, tie me down

(make me moan real loud)

Make me moan real loud

(take off my clothes)

Take off my clothes

No one has to know

 

The crowd went ballistic when they noticed the girls had started swinging around on the poles. When Laura stopped her body was almost upside down and she was holding onto the pole with only her legs and her hand. With her free arm, she slid the rope from her breasts all the way to right below her belly button as she whispered, "Rope burn."

 

When the song ended everyone in the room stood up and began cheering. Laura's face immediately turned red when all the lights came on and she noticed all her peers watching her in the scantily clad outfit she had chosen to wear for her performance. Christina came back out clapping and leaned over and hugged Laura and whispered that she did a great job. She waved to everyone and looked down at Justin and mouth, "Thank You." Justin lifted his two hands up clapping towards her and nodded before she disappeared behind the curtain.

 

"Ahhhh." she screamed as she jumped up and down backstage with a few other dances. "I can't believe I just did that!" They sat around and talked briefly before the girls motioned for her to go and get changed before other people took over the bathrooms which would prevent her from freshening up for the dinner party that was to follow the show.

 

"You okay, dude?"  Joey looked over and asked Justin, who was slouched back in his chair.  Sweat beads were running down his face as he let out a deep sigh, "Whoooo."  He took out his handkerchief and wiped his face and started to fix his pants nervously. 

 

"What's wrong?"  Chris asked.

 

"I think I just came."  Justin said in shock.  JC rolled his eyes as they all started to laugh at Justin's little joke. 

 

Joey yanked Justin out of his seat and made him switch places, "Shoot, this has got to be the best seat in the house!"

 

The show continued on, but JC's mind drifted off completely with thoughts of Laura.  He wanted to get up and go backstage and talk to her, but knew Rachel would be two steps behind him.

 

Laura had never gotten a chance to get into the bathroom and decided to head back to her dressing room in defeat.  She could hear the hosts wrapping up the show and knew that it was almost time for the dinner party.  She began to take her earrings out when she heard a knock on the door.  She tied up her robe and yelled, "Come in!"

 

Justin pushed the door open and looked over at her smiling, "Hey girl! That was...Words can't describe what that was." he muttered.

 

She leaned up and hugged him gently, "Thank you...I don't know if I would have been able to do that without you. I was so scared about doing that with a complete stranger...Then I spotted you and was like, 'phew'."

 

Joey popped his head in the door and said, "Girl! Can I just say..." Joey frowned at her closed robe until she opened it so he could get one last look before she changed. He stared her up and down and then yelled, "...Got Dammmnnnn!!"

 

Laura blushed and went over to hug him. She noticed Chris pushing JC towards the dressing rooms and smiled slightly towards him as she went to hug Chris. The five of them talked briefly until Chris and Justin spotted Christina and went to talk to her. Joey had wandered away somewhere to find an old dancer that toured with them a couple years before. She and JC found themselves alone for the first time in months.  They stood there with an uneasy silence before he finally told her, "That was a great performance."

 

"Thanks. I was really nervous. I hope I didn't suck too bad."

 

"No no...Not at all. It was very...Very stimulating to say the least." he chuckled.

 

Laura smiled and then looked behind him out the door to make sure that no one was around. "JC...There is something that I really need to tell you."

 

"What is it?" he questioned.

 

"Umm..." Laura took a deep breath and gazed up into his eyes. "I'm more than positive that I am  pp-"

 

"Da...Da" JC quickly turned around and noticed Rachel carrying Nikky into the room. He had his arms outstretched towards him.

 

"Hey, big boy. What are you and mommy doing? Checkin' out the ladies?"

 

Rachel smiled as she handed him the baby. She looked over at Laura and noticed her outfit and her smiled soon faded.

 

"Daddy was just coming to see about you. I needed to say hi to Aunty Laura." JC pointed out.

 

Nikky looked over and recognized her instantly. He outstretched his arms to her. Laura wanted to hold him, but knew she shouldn't. Instead, she waved at him and said hello. She looked over at Rachel and greeted her.

 

"Hi. Congratulation on the show. I heard it was very good." Rachel said.

 

"Thanks."  Laura watched the three of them and noticed that JC looked so happy with Nikky.

 

How could she be the one to come in between that? Rachel looked up at JC and said, "We better get going back up front before they start serving, Honey."

 

"Ok." JC went to leave, until he stopped in his tracks and turned around to Laura and asked, "What was it that you needed to tell me?"

 

"I just wanted to say..." she looked at him and then over at Nikolas before plastering a fake smile on her face and saying, "I'm more than positive that they are going to start recording the album this month. I just wanted to give you a heads up just in case you hadn't heard."

 

JC found it strange that she would tell him that. She seemed like it was more important than just business. "Oh..Okay...Thanks."

 

Laura watched as the three of them walked down the hallway back towards the banquet hall. She watched how JC wrapped his arm around Rachel's shoulder and held Nikolas in his free arm. She slowly shut the door and started to change thinking about how happy he seemed.  In that moment, she decided to skip dinner and head to the airport to catch an earlier flight home.

Chapter 3 by DesperateThoughts

"You miss her." Justin stated matter-of-factly as he looked over at JC who was starring off into space.

 

"No...It's not that." He replied as he looked down at the mixing board.

 

"You don't have to lie." Justin commented as he wrote something down in his notebook.

 

JC brought his hands down away from under his chin. "I just wish I could have talked to her more. I was curious as to where she was living now. How she was doing...Things like that."

 

Justin watched his best friend as he fiddled with buttons and faders trying to seem like he was unfazed by what was going on his personal life. "JC...You are really going to sit there and tell me that not one piece of you misses Laura in the slightest?"

 

"I miss her. But it's something I am going to have to deal with."

 

"Well only for the rest of the month. The two of you have to go into the studio with Michael Stewart soon right?" Justin asked.

 

"Yeah. It's around the same time you go up there to work on your stuff right?"

 

"Yeah, Rachel was interrogating me earlier about it. You must have her really paranoid." he laughed.

 

"I don't know why. I don't go anywhere unless it is for work. I don't do anything unless I am working...And she is right in toe every time I turn around. Part of me wants to believe that she missed me and that she is trying to make up for lost time. But another part of me thinks she is trying to keep tabs...Like I am the one who is prone to cheat out of the two of us."

 

Justin never looked up from his work, when he asked, "You fuck her yet?"

 

JC looked over at Justin in shock. "Where did that come from?"

 

Justin rolled his eyes at JC's ignorance. "You knew I was going to ask."

 

JC got up and looked out the door and up the steps to see if anyone was around. He shut and locked it behind him before sitting back down. Justin was steady writing when JC leaned in close to him and said, "We didn't start sleeping together till very recently. And the second time...it was terrible."

 

"What did she do?"

 

"It wasn't her...It was me."

 

"What? You couldn't get it up?"

 

"Noooo!" JC defended. "I'm in bed...Doin' my thing...And I call out Laura's name."

 

Justin covered his mouth his balled up first and exclaimed, "Ooooooo….You didn't?!"

 

JC nodded his head. Justin's mouth dropped wide open as he let his pen fall. "What did she say?"

 

"She stopped me and asked what I said, and at the time I really didn't notice that I had said Laura's name. So she told me and all I could do was apologize, but she wasn't havin' it. She went on and on all night about how I must still be fucking around with Laura...knowing damn well that I have no idea where she is right now...And she starts in on how I must still be in love with her, and all this other bullshit to try and make me feel bad."

 

"Were you thinking about Laura when you were with Rachel?"

 

JC sat there in silence for a few moments and nodded. "I mean, I know I was wrong for doing that. I was so used to being with this one person that we had our own groove. It's hard for me to get back into the old groove with Rachel. I'm trying my best to erase the visions I have of Rachel and Jerry in my head. And to keep myself excited I have to visualize certain things. All guys do it. I just made the mistake of calling out the wrong name. I know I am wrong, and I've been trying to make up for it, but she is taking this guilt trip to the extreme...She's acting like she is some fuckin' angel, and you and I both know she is far from getting her wings."

 

"Then why are you with her?"

 

"Nikolas."

 

"That's a sorry ass reason to be with someone, JC. My parents tried that before they got divorced. It didn't work. It caused more harm than good."

 

"My biggest fear is that my child will have to grow up without me in his life everyday."

 

"Yeah...It's well and good what you are trying to do, but you forget that he is going to be without you when we go on the road and do promotion and things like that. We are gone months at a time. So either way he is going to be without you, man."

 

"I only want to be away from him if it is absolutely necessary. There is such a thing as bringing him on the road with us. I see how you are your dad aren't as close as either of you would like and I just don't want that. I just need time to get back into the swing of things. Learning to forgive and forget. It's not like I don't still love Rachel."

"Yeah but are you in love with her is the bigger question. I could never see myself spending the rest of my life with someone that I am not in love with. I'd be miserable."

 

Justin went on to explain his ideas of love and marriage. JC kept fading in and out of the conversation into his own thoughts. Justin had noticed his constant gazing off into space and asked, "Are you okay?"

 

With a disturbed look on his face he said, "Something just doesn't feel right today."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Laura let her head fall against the steering wheel as she sobbed quietly to herself. After a few minutes she looked up into the rear view mirror and wiped her eyes. She pulled down the brim of her baseball hat and grabbed her small duffle bag before getting out of the car and walking towards the building.

 

"Ma'am can I speak to you for a minute?" someone called out from the sidewalk.

 

Laura didn't look towards the woman and just kept walking up the path.

 

"It will just take a moment, Ma'am!" she yelled over.

 

Laura ignored her and opened the doors to go inside. She rang the bell and waited for someone to answer. A larger man opened the door and asked her name. He looked down the list and check it off and allowed her entry. She walked up to the front desk and waited for the receptionist.

 

"Good morning. You'll need to fill these out for me and I also need a urine sample." The woman handed her a little plastic cup and a clipboard with a small stack of papers attached to it.

 

Laura disappeared into the bathroom. When she returned, she placed the cup into a plastic bin and went and took her seat and started to fill out the paperwork. As she read through everything, tears began to slowly trickle down her face. When she was done she returned the papers to the woman and re-took her seat. She looked around at the other women sitting in the waiting room and noticed a couple quietly speaking amongst themselves. The man was leaning in towards the female whose head was on his shoulder. He let his fingers slide in between hers and held her hand tightly before kissing her lightly on the top of her head. She tried her best to focus her attention towards the television but her mind couldn't help but wander.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How many?"

 

Laura looked up at the ceiling thinking quietly to herself. "Maybe two. I think a girl and a boy would be nice."

 

"Oh yeah?" JC asked as he let his fingers walk along her stomach. Laura looked down at him and smiled, "Yeah."

 

"Have you ever thought of what they would look like? Color of their eyes? Hair?" he questioned as he looked up at her while letting his lips graze her abdomen.

 

"You know I am ticklish there..." she giggled. JC smirked and blew air out of his mouth over her navel as he waited for her answer. "Hmmm...I never really put anymore thought into all that detail."

 

"The girl would most likely have your eyes. Maybe long curly hair and the cutest dimples. And of course the boy would have deep blue eyes..." he stated confidently.

 

"Oh really?" she grinned as she ran her hands through his hair as he kissed her sides and worked his way back to her stomach.

 

"My princess will have to be as beautiful as her mother and of course my little prince charming will inherit his father's good looks and charm."

 

"Just as long as he doesn't inherit your cocky attitude." Laura joked.

 

JC dawned a shock look on his face before tickling Laura almost to tears. Buddy hopped up onto the bed and began to playfully tug at JC's shirt to protect her. She then got the upper hand and returned the favor before losing her balance and falling on top of JC's chest. They both laid there starring deep into one another's eyes while struggling to catch their breath.

As JC was watching Laura, her face suddenly turned red before she let her head fall into his chest.

 

JC pushed her hair back trying to look at her face as he asked, "What? Did I scare you with all the baby talk?"

 

"No. It's just..." She finally looked up at him"...Everyday that I am with you, I become more and more dependent on these moments..." She then slowly ran her index finger across his lips. "...You're like coffee to me. I can't get through my day without you."

 

JC leaned up and kissed her gently on the lips while he turned her onto her side so they could face one another. Laura let her nose rub up against his as she closed her eyes and let the warm feeling of his tongue on her neck soothe her. "Mmmm." he moaned. "Our daughter will never be allowed to hang out with you alone...Ever."

 

Laura laughed, "Why not?"

 

"With all these lines you are throwing my way, she will all the boys in the playground eating out of her hand by the time she is 6."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Laura?" The nurse called out into the waiting room.

 

Laura grabbed her bag and followed the woman into the back. They went into a small room and sat down on the couch. The woman went over everything that was going to happen during her appointment and handed her a Valume to take.

 

"No one pressured you into coming here today right?"

 

"No, ma'am. No one really knows except my best friend."

 

"You did not inform the father of your decision to terminate your pregnancy?"

 

"Well it's a long story, but I don't want to disturb his life with this, and I am not ready for the added responsibility right now. My job keeps me on the road a lot..." The nurse could see Laura was having a hard time discussing the matter.

 

"If you need more time, we can always re-schedule your appointment."

 

Laura cleared her throat trying to push back the tears. "No. I've had plenty of time to think this through."

 

With that, the nurse took her into the lab where another nurse drew blood. Laura was then instructed to go and change into a gown and wait for the doctor. She sat on the edge of the table and looked around nervously. Her fingers were trembling and she was doing everything in her power to keep herself from crying. The nurse came in and took her blood pressure. The doctor soon walked in and greeted her. The nurse then instructed her to lay back on the table. The loud sounds of the paper underneath her made Laura jumpier than usual. The doctor asked her to scoot down more while the nurse helped her put her feet in the stirrups.

"Okay, now this is going to be cold against your belly." he said before pushing the gel substance from the tube onto her lower stomach. He pulled the equipment cart closer and took the device and slid it across her stomach as he looked at the screen. "Yeah, this seems to be showing you at about 14 weeks now."

Laura nodded in agreement that he was right. He looked at the screen again and said "I think I might be seeing two sacs here...Let me look again. This machine has been giving me trouble today."

 

Laura's eyes lit up. 'Twins?' she thought to herself.

 

"Ah, no it's just one baby." The doctor almost stopped in mid sentence at his mistake in saying baby. "Right now, I need to double check with you, because by law we have to inform you on the status of your pregnancy before we conduct the procedure. Are you still sure you want us to proceed?"

 

Laura laid there for what seemed like an eternity as she looked up at the ceiling and thought to herself. Tears were rolling down the sides of her eyes when she looked over at the doctor and said, "Yes, I'm sure." She shut her eyes tightly and tried to take her mind to another place as he told the nurse to prepare to start the procedure.

Chapter 4 by DesperateThoughts

JC laid across the bed as he watched Nikolas sleep. There were pillows on all four sides of the baby to keep him from rolling off onto the floor.

 

"What cha doin'?" Rachel asked as she leaned over the bed and kissed him gently on the cheek.

 

"Just spending a little more time with him before I head out of here to go to Chicago."

 

"You'll only be gone a few days...Right?"

 

"Yeah, but I just feel bad that I have to go." he said as he laid on his stomach and buried his head into the mattress.

 

Rachel climbed onto his back and started to give him a massage. She slowly leaned down towards his ear and whispered, "Why don't we use the quiet to our advantage?" Letting her tongue glide along his outer ear, Rachel said, "Let me give you something to want to rush home to."

 

With a grin on his face, JC reached back and ran his hands up Rachel's thighs. "I wish I could, but Justin should be here any second." he said as he tried to scoot out from under her. Rachel sat on her knees on the bed as she watched JC finish zipping up his bag. "Is it because you are going to see her?"

 

"See who?"

 

"You know who I'm talking about."

 

"No." JC shook his head. A car horn startled the both of them. "I told you earlier he would be here any minute." he said as he pointed out the window.

 

Rachel pouted out her lips at him. All JC could do was smile at her before picking up his bag and walking towards the bed where she and the baby were. He leaned down and placed his hand under her chin as he kissed her gently on the lips. "You have all my numbers right?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"He walked to the other side of the bed and brushed Nikolas hair back with his hand. He watched how peaceful he looked. Buddy was curled up in a ball close by. "Daddy loves you."

 

JC leaned down and kissed the baby on his forehead. "You take good care of Nikky now, Buddy. You're in charge while I am gone."

 

Buddy wagged his tail when JC pet him. JC went and opened the front door where Justin was waiting. He handed him his bag and turned around and looked towards Rachel once more. "You sure you are going to be okay."

 

"We'll be fine. Call us when you get into town."

 

JC hugged her tightly before kissing her once more on the cheek. "Okay." As they were pulling out of the driveway, JC noticed Rachel lingering in the doorway watching them and smiling. He grinned to himself as they drove off towards the airport.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"You and Rachel seem to be back to normal." Justin commented.

 

"Eh...Almost. Still a few things that need to be worked on, but other than that I would have to agree with you."

 

"So nothing is going to change once you see Laura then, huh?"

 

"No." JC replied never looking up from his magazine. Justin studied JC's face for some type of emotion. The stewardess walked by with bags of peanuts for them. He then looked down and started to leaf through the Sports Illustrated. "Hallie says she isn't doing too well these days."

 

"When did you talk to Hallie?"

 

"I didn't. Joey did."

 

"Oh..." JC paused momentarily before closing his magazine and looking towards Justin. "Did Hallie tell him what was wrong with Laura?"

 

"No. But it's not like you care or anything."

 

"I never said I didn't care."

 

"You're surely acting like it."

 

"How am I suppose to act? Especially since I'm finding out more and more each day about everything she was hiding from me for all that time."

 

Justin rolled his eyes and looked towards his friend. "And who is giving you this information? Rachel?"

 

JC nodded. "Rachel wanted to clear the air about everything so we could make a fresh start."

 

"I see." Justin said. "I can't believe my best friend is such a gullible prick."

 

"A what?"

 

Justin could see JC was angered by his last statement. "Look, I ain't got nothin but love for you, bro, but you really need to sit back and look at the big picture here."

 

"I see the big picture fine."

 

Justin couldn't help but laugh to himself. "Yeah...Okay. I hope you get your head out of your ass soon."

 

JC let out a long sigh as he shook his head and went back to reading his magazine.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"She's not here yet?" JC asked one of the studio workers.

 

"No, sir."

 

"She's usually early." JC said to himself.

 

Justin walked over and sat down next to him. "Something wrong?"

 

"No. Laura just isn't here yet. I guess she is on her way." he said as he grabbed a small box that was about the same size as a cigarette case and pressed the button and began to speak. "Hey Michael. You might as well go ahead and start your vocal warm-ups. We're going to give Laura about 5 more minutes until we go ahead without her."

 

Michael nodded and proceeded to warm-up. JC started to go over things with another producer when he heard Justin yell, "Hey girl!" JC turned his head and noticed Laura walking in. She had on a slightly oversized black velour outfit and pair of dark sunglasses. Her hair was covered with a large silk scarf and a hat. "Hey." she said lowly as she went to place down her bag.

"You've been hanging out with Christina too much." Justin commented as he leaned down to hug her. He lifted her off the ground slightly and started to twirl around. "Justin, please put me down." Laura begged. Justin noticed the color had left her face. "Are you okay?"

 

Laura looked towards JC and could see him watching. "Yeah...I'm fine. I just have a stomach flu or something."

 

Justin backed away from her quickly to ensure he wouldn't be caught her in crossfire if she did decide to blow chunks. She walked passed JC who was leaning against the edge of the sound board with his arms folded. "I'm sorry I'm late. I haven't been feeling very well lately."

 

JC nodded and waited for her to get settled so they could start work. During the studio session JC noticed that Laura was very frustrated and seemed uncomfortable. Even Justin noticed that something was wrong. She was snapping at Michael Stewart anytime he made the simplest of mistakes. JC decided to try and put an end to it. "Hey Mike? Why don't you take a break." he said over the intercom. Michael nodded and took off his headphones and disappeared out of the room and down the hall.

 

"Could you guys excuse us please?" JC asked Justin and the other producer. Laura let her head fall into her hands knowing an argument was about to insue. He walked over and leaned back onto the sound board before leaning towards her and asking, "Do you need to go back to the hotel?"

 

"No...I'm fine."

 

"No...You're not." he mocked. "You've been lashing out at every little thing since you got her. I've never seen you act like this before."

 

"I was up all night and this morning sick. I'm just a bit cranky today."

 

"You should have called me. We could have rescheduled this for a later date."

 

"No. Jerry is on my case enough as it is about getting this recorded. I didn't want to delay it any longer...I have a slue of other projects I need to concentrate on after this is all over."

Laura grabbed her stomach and started to take short quick breaths as she winced in pain.

 

JC could tell there was something wrong. "You need something?"

 

Laura put her index finger up for him to wait. She continued to take shorts breaths and swallowed back her saliva a few times. "No, I'm okay" she said, giving a sigh of relief.

 

JC was about to say something when Laura got up and walked out of the studio down the hall towards the lounge to get a bottle of water. He sat down in the swivel chair and spun around slowly thinking to himself as he ran his fingers through his hair. A few moments later Justin, Michael and Laura walked back in together talking amongst themselves. He smiled to himself when he heard Laura apologizing a million times to Michael for her earlier behavior. After that, things seemed to be back to normal. Laura and JC worked together to get as much as they could done within the allotted studio time for the day, and they seemed to be flowing together creatively like they used to.

 

The next day was even better than the first. JC and Justin showed up to find Laura already hard at work. Justin wasn't with them much that day because he was working on his own material in nearby studio B, but they would all pop in on one another throughout. When Justin was done he went back to join JC. He found himself back in familiar territory when he heard JC hysterically laughing at something Laura had said. He sat back and smiled as he watched his best friend. He hadn't seen JC laugh like that in a long time.

Chapter 5 by DesperateThoughts

On the third and final day of recording, Justin decided to take matters into his own hands. Right before they were about to leave Justin invited Laura out to dinner with him and JC that evening. She reluctantly agreed before hopping into a limo and disappearing down the highway.

 

Reporters were somehow tipped off that JC and Laura were in the studio with Michael Stewart and had been camped outside all day waiting for an interview.

 

Rumors had been flying around about the two of them ever since JC jumped Rick at the night club. There were tons of bogus stories about them in the tabloids. There were even reports that Rick and JC were having a affair and that Rachel found out and sent Laura in to seduce Rick away from him. JC was used to the frenzy of lies, but Laura was not accustomed to having her personal business put out in the street and all over newspapers...Even if most of it was false.

 

JC was mysteriously quiet during dinner. Justin and Laura were deep in conversation while JC sat back an watched them.

 

"Are you saying I look fat?" she asked as she punched Justin in the arm.

 

"Hell nah. I was saying that the outfit you have on makes you look like you actually have skin on these bones." Justin joked as he lightly pinched her arm.

 

"Well at the rate I am puking up everything I eat or drink, I'm sure I will be back to my old self in no time." Laura smiled.

 

"Did you see a doctor about it yet?"

 

"Yeah." she said as she looked towards JC. He was not looking towards them, but was intently listening to every word as he tried to make it seem like he was very interested in the dessert cart that had just been wheeled by. Before taking a sip of her water, Laura muttered, "...It's been taken care of."

 

Justin rushed through the dessert and apologized to the both of them stating that he promised a few friends he would see them before he left town. He told JC and Laura to enjoy the rest of their dessert and said he would make sure to see her before they left town. Without Justin there, Laura and JC felt very uncomfortable being alone with one another again.

 

After 5 minutes of silence, she decided to break the ice once and for all. "So how have you been?"

 

"Pretty good. Yourself?"

 

"I'm okay...How's the baby?"

 

JC smiled as he thought of Nikolas. "He's really good. He's starting to talk more. He and Buddy are inseparable."

 

Laura sat and played with her napkin as she nodded her head, "That's good. How's Rachel?"

 

"She's been pretty busy with filming a few shows. But other than that, things seem to be back to normal."

 

Laura looked away towards a couple at a nearby table. She didn't want to look at JC. She knew that if she did, he would see right through her act. JC sat up and took a small bite of his cake before asking, "So where are you living these days?"

 

"Why does it matter now?" she snapped at him.  She hadn't meant to but he had a way of pulling at her true emotions.

 

"I was just curious. You just left out of the blue...Without a trace."

 

"You didn't get my letter?"

 

JC looked down and started fiddling with the butter knife. "Yeah I got it...I just wouldn't have expected you to leave like you did."

 

"I didn't want to move...I loved that house. But the way things were, I just couldn't see an alternative. The apartment I have now is nothing compared to that house." 

 

"Apartment?"

 

"Yeah. It's just temporary until I decide on a house."

 

"Are you..."

 

"Am I what?" she asked.

 

JC looked down at his cake and softly asked, "Are you happy?"

 

Laura looked up towards the ceiling and shook her head, "Hmmm...Am I happy?" She wiped a single tear away from the corner of her eye before looking directly at him. "You were happiness to me. I experienced so many things with you that just the simple thought of you brought me joy..Bliss...heaven...And any other word you can think of...So you ask me if I am happy?" Laura leaned forward so that he could hear her clearly. "No, JC. I'm not happy."  She paused and asked the waiter for another glass of water before looking back over at him. "Are you happy?"

 

"Almost…Day by day." he lied.

 

"When are the two of you getting married?"

 

"I still haven't given her a ring yet. We have been taking our time. I'm finding out a great deal of things that I didn't know before though."

 

"Oh yeah? That's good."

 

"Yeah, she's opened my eyes to a lot of things about both you and her." he said.

 

"About me?"

 

"Yeah. Certain plans you helped her come up with. Things of that nature."

 

Laura could hear the sarcasm in his voice and couldn't help but laugh to herself. "Yeah, one can never be too careful around me."

 

"I don't want to fight tonight. I haven't seen you in a long time. I don't want it to turn out to be this way."

 

"Trust me...I won't let it get to that point." She motioned for the waiter to bring the check. "So how are the guys?"

 

"Joey is busy playing daddy to his baby. Lance is busy studying for the space thing. And Chris has been taking it easy lately. He had hurt his back a while ago and now he isn't as active as he used to be. Playing a little golf here and there. What about you?"

 

"Busy working on this album with Christina. Then there are about 4 other projects that I just got...One of them is for a soundtrack to a movie that is coming out soon. Hmm...Let's see...Ducking and dodging reporters left and right. I'm surprised they haven't found out where I live yet. And lastly, I'm house hunting almost everyday when I'm not puking up a lung."

 

JC laughed lightly. The waiter came back around and placed the check down on the table. "It's all been taken care of. Mr. Timberlake had me bill it to his room before he left. He asked that I give the receipt to you Mr. Chasez." JC looked up at him and said thank you. The waiter nodded and left.

 

"I'll have to thank him later for that." Laura said as she took her napkin from her lap and placed it on the table. "Are you leaving?" JC asked disappointedly.

 

"Yeah. You can stay and eat the rest of your cake. I'm not feeling very well and I have a long ride back to my hotel." Laura was feeling a bit dizzy and the smells of the food around her were making her queasy.

 

"Come on. You can come upstairs for a little while till you feel better." he said as he stood up to leave.

 

"No. I don't think so."

 

He placed his napkin down on the plate and said, "Well then just for a minute. I have something of yours that I need to give back to you."

 

"What is it?"

 

"One of your photo albums. It's the smaller one with the picture of your grandmother on the front?"

 

Laura was hesitant to follow him up to his room. They were both quiet the entire trip up the elevator. When they reached his room, Laura stayed close to the door. JC was looking through his messages when he noticed her nervously looking around. "I'm not going to bite." he smiled.

 

Laura smiled back and walked over and sat down at the desk. They both talked briefly as JC dug into his bag to find her photo album. Judging by their laughter, the two of them seemed to be having a good time. JC finally retrieved her book and walked over to where she was sitting and handed it to her. Laura's eyes lit up as she leafed through the book. "I thought I had lost this. I had no idea where I'd left it."

 

As she reached the back of the book she came across a picture of her and JC. They were both sitting on the couch facing one another with their mouths wide open in laughter. They were starring at one another and seemed incredibly happy in that moment. The next picture was from the same day, but this time JC had Laura's head locked underneath his arm and Joey and Lance leaning over to save her, while Chris took advantage of the moment to tickle her. Laura couldn't remember when they took those pictures. "It was when the guys came over to watch the football game...After we came back from Vegas." He muttered.

 

"Oh" she paused remembering back. "Do you want any of these?"

 

"They're yours. I'm sure I have the doubles somewhere." he said as he went and sat down on the edge of the bed across from her.

 

Laura could feel her stomach doing somersaults. She placed the book down on the table and rushed to the bathroom. JC ran in after her and found her leaning over the toilet. He grabbed her hair and held it up behind her head. Laura flushed the toilet and knelt down beside it. JC took a damp rag and placed it over the back of her neck before sitting next to her on the floor. "I'm sorry." she apologized.

 

"Sorry for what? You're sick. There's nothing to be sorry about." JC's cell phone began to ring. He pulled it out of his pocket and checked the caller ID before finally answering. "Hello...Hey...How's the baby?"

 

Laura quietly got up and walked over to the sink to wash out her mouth. A hand soon reached past her. She looked in the mirror and saw JC standing behind her. He reached into the cabinet and grabbed a brand new toothbrush and handed it to her. She mouthed a thank you before watching him leave the bathroom and closing the door. As she was brushing her teeth she could hear JC's voice getting louder and louder. She walked over and leaned towards the door to hear him more clearly. "...All I'm saying is that I am not you. Don't accuse me of some shit that only you would do. There was no date. We had dinner with Justin. So calm down!"

 

Laura went back over and finished cleaning herself up before she opened to door. JC was standing by the window starring out into the city. "Everything okay?" she asked.

 

JC spun around and looked towards her. "Yeah. Everything's cool. She is just a bit nervous because we are working together again. She'll get over it."

 

Laura smiled as she walked over to the desk and grabbed her photo album. "Well I better get going." she said as she headed for the door.

 

Laura struggled with the lock and couldn't seem to get the door open. JC walked up close behind her and took a deep breath in of her shampoo. Laura could feel him close to her and could smell the light scent of his cologne and closed her eyes and breathed in the air around her. She could feel his warm breath on her ear and knew his head was next to hers. "Let me get that." he said.

 

Laura was still struggling with the lock when JC placed his hand over hers and turned the latch all the way to the right. A jolt of electricity passed through both their bodies when their hands touched. JC hadn't touched her in so long that he had almost forgotten how soft her skin was. He had almost forgotten how incredible she smelled. The door was unlocked but neither of them was making a move to open it. JC slowly slid his hand up her arm. Laura quickly backed away. JC was startled by her sudden movement. "Something wrong?"

 

"Nothing. I just really need to get going." she said nervously.

 

Laura turned the knob and opened the door. They both stood in the doorway not knowing what to say to one another. "So I guess I will see you around then?" he asked as he went to give her a hug.

 

Laura backed away and put out her hand. "Yeah. Cya round." she mumbled.

 

JC looked down at her hand. "I can't even give you a hug good-bye?"

 

"As much as I want to be in your arms right now...I can't."

 

"It's just a hug."

 

"To you maybe." Laura looked away from him down the hall. Tears started to fall down her face as she sobbed, "I just can't stand here and pretend that you choosing her over me doesn't matter. I can't act like I am not hurting. I can't put on a show and say that things are great now that you are not in my life anymore...I know damn well that half the reason I am going through what I'm going through right now is because of you...Things you'll never know."

 

JC was confused. "What are you going through?"

 

Laura wanted to tell him everything that had happened since she left town, but decided it was best if she didn't. "I had a nice evening considering the fact that I 'm sick. I don't want to ruin it. Let's just leave on good terms." she said as she outstretched her hand to his.

 

JC reluctantly started to shake her hand. Laura patted the side of JC's arm and told him she would see him soon. He watched her as she walked towards the elevator. Something was bothering him. He didn't know what, but he ran down the hallway after Laura who was about to step into the empty elevator. "Laura!" he called after her.

 

He stood in front of her trying to catch his breath as he placed his hand on the doors to keep them from closing. "Is there something that you need to tell me...Something I should know?"

 

Laura starred into JC's eyes debating whether or not she should tell him. She thought of Rachel and the baby and what JC had said at dinner and looked up at him. The doors started to close when she said, "No...There's nothing you need to know about anymore."

 

He starred at his reflection on the elevator doors and said to himself, "But there is indeed something."

 

Chapter 6 by DesperateThoughts

 

"So how was working with him again?" Hallie asked.

 

Laura stood over the stove as she mixed the soup that was warming. "Both incredible and horrible at the same time. Justin thought he was clever by leaving us alone together. I, of course, ended up getting sick in front of him."

 

"You should have puked on him. I'm sure that would have made you feel a hell of a lot better!" Hallie laughed.

 

Laura smiled. "Yeah, I may have."

 

"Are you ever going to tell him?"

 

"I almost did after I left. I called the house and his answering machine...Oh excuse me...Their answering machine picked up. I got scared and hung up when I heard Rachel's voice on the recording...I know I have to tell him. I just don't know how."

 

Hallie was silent. Laura listened hard into the phone, "You still there, Hal?"

 

"Yeah...Maybe you shouldn't tell him, Laura."

 

"Why not?"

 

"Well I was going to tell you this as soon as I found out, but you had enough to worry about."

 

"Tell me what?" Laura asked as she sat down at the table and began to dip her spoon into the creamy soup.

 

"I talked to Joey the other day"

 

"Yeah?"

 

"He went ring shopping with JC."

 

Laura sat there frozen with the spoon at her mouth. She placed it down lightly and got up from the table, walking towards the balcony. "Oh yeah?"

 

"Yeah."

 

She leaned across the railing and watched how the moonlight hit the water in the river. She took a deep sigh and said, "Well no matter what the circumstance, I have to tell him. I don't want to be guilty of the same crime twice."

 

"Well I know you are going to tell him...Question is, when?"

 

"Probably when I hang up with you. I'll give him a call and see where he is going to be next week or something. I want to tell him in person, but if it doesn't come to that, then I'll have to settle for the phone."

 

Laura and Hallie talked for another hour before they hung up. Laura sat back on her chair and watched the boats sailing by in the water as she thought of what she would say when she called. She finally grabbed the phone and started to dial JC's number.

 

"Hello?" a female voice answered.

 

"Hey. Is JC home?"

 

"No. May I take a message?"

 

"It's Laura, Rach."

 

"Oh...Hi. What do you need?"

 

"I needed to speak with JC about something."

 

"Well he's not here. I'll tell him you called though."

 

Laura tried to say thanks, but Rachel had already hung up the phone. Almost the same thing happened for nearly 2 more weeks. Laura would call and leave a message on the machine or with Laticia. She even sent him a letter asking that he contact her. It was sent back "Return To Sender."

 

"Did you try calling Justin to get in touch with him?" Hallie asked.

 

"No. I don't want him involved...And I don't want you telling Joey either." Laura demanded.

 

"You don't have to tell him anything...Just that you need to talk to JC." She suggested.

 

"Well obviously he has gotten my messages and my letters. He just doesn't care. Asking Justin would only make me look like more of an idiot than I already am...Plus I just want to keep this between JC and I. I don't want Justin being my messenger to get in touch with him. If I can't on my own, then I will just take as he doesn't want to speak to me."

Hallie kept brainstorming, "What about his cell phone? Did you try that one?"

 

"It's been disconnected."

 

"Well, what if I could get you the number."

 

"If it has to do with you asking one of four people, the answer is absolutely not." Laura knew her friend had the best of intentions, but she wanted to do this on her own for once. "Look, Hallie, I know you mean well and all, but I just need to deal with this in my own way. If he doesn't want to deal with me, then he won't have to."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"God, I love you." Rachel whispered as she kissed the side of JC's neck. He smiled at her and went back to reading his book.

 

"Did you want to have a small engagement party back at your old house in Philly while we are there?"

 

"Well I was thinking about it, but we don't have to. I can just invite everyone down when you're up to entertaining people."

 

"I don't mind...We can have two if you would like. A small one in you home town and then a bigger one back at the house with all our friends and family."

 

"That sounds nice too." she smiled deeply gazing down at the large diamond ring on her left ring finger.

 

When they reached the Philadelphia airport, Rachel used JC's cell phone to call her brother to get a ride to the house. As they waited in a nearby lounge JC found himself sitting at the bar watching Entertainment Tonight, while Rachel went to the ladies room.

 

"Well it seems that Christina Aguilera is going to be in for an incredible ride when her new album titled, Stripped, is released. One song in particular is receiving rave reviews from critics. It seems that working with the talented of Laura Charles is going to pay off yet again. Maria Menounos has our story..."

 

JC asked the bartender to turn the volume up just a tad so he could hear.

 

"The song is entitled 'Fighter' and it is set to be the women's anthem of the year as far as critics are concerned. Christina has teamed up once again with the talented, not to mention sexy songwriter and producer, Laura Charles."

 

JC smiled when he recognized the clips of Laura when she did the Pussycat Dolls show at the fundraiser. Christina then appeared on the screen sitting in a chair across from the camera's and spoke. "Well I actually had talked to her one day about wanting to do an empowering song, but when she came back with this...I was just floored. I almost didn't want to record it. Laura took me into the studio to check it out, and I was like 'wow' when she started belting it out. She has the whole package."

 

JC could hear the Maria Menounos' voice again talking about Laura. "Yes, not only is she absolutely cute as a button, can she write the most amazing songs, play the most soulful music you have ever heard, but she can also sing like an angel...So why doesn't this musician, songwriter and producer want to try her hand at performing?

 

"To tell you the truth, I've never really thought about it till recently. Writing and playing is what I've loved to do ever since I was a little girl....."

 

Rachel came out of the bathroom and slid onto the barstool next to JC. She noticed his gaze was pointed at the television. When she looked up to see what he was so interested in, she immediately recognized Laura's face. She called over to the bartender for a drink. JC looked over and saw her smiling at him. He leaned down and kissed her gently on the lips. "What are they talking about?" she asked as she nodded towards the television.

 

"Nothing really. Just that song that we heard them playing in the studio a while back." he answered nonchalantly.

 

"Oh."

 

JC could feel the atmosphere beginning to become tense and he didn't want to ruin their time together. "I'm going to run and see what the gift shop has. I wanted to get Nikky a little something before we went back home."

 

"Something more besides the whole two big boxes of toys we had to ship out when we were in Hawaii these last few days?"

 

"Yeah." he cut back. They both laughed lightly before JC headed out of the lounge.

 

Rachel sat there and finished watching the segment.

 

".....To know that the words I write down on a piece of paper could help someone going through a bad time in their life, make her day a little brighter, or give him a reason to keep pushing on, or even be the cause of why a couple conceives their first baby...That's what I want to be remembered for...My words..my melodies. Not because that guy thought I was hot to look at onstage." she joked.

 

The scene changed back at the ET studios and Rachel looked at the large tv screen behind Maria Menounos of Laura hiding from the cameras and running into her hotel. "And speaking of babies...Rumor has it that Ms. Charles may be having a baby of her own soon enough. Insiders say they have noticed that Ms. Charles seems to have all the signs of a soon to be mother. Morning sickness, weight gain, and many say that they have noticed a small bulging out in her stomach. Every time we caught up with Ms. Charles she was running inside or wearing baggy clothing where no one could really tell for sure. Could this rumor be true? We'll be working on that story on more in the coming weeks."

 

"So that's why you keep calling..." Rachel mumbled to herself as she looked at Laura's photo on the tv screen.

Chapter 7 by DesperateThoughts

"Ms. Connie! How are you doing?" Rachel yelled out as she ran to the front door to greet the older woman.

 

JC turned around and recognized Laura's mother immediately.

 

"Why look at you. You dyed your hair?" Mrs. Charles asked as she hugged Rachel tightly.

 

"Yeah. Just a hint of red. I had to do it for a part."

 

"It looks good." She said as she held the sides of Rachel's arms and got a good look at her.

 

JC was stunned by what he was seeing. Laura's mother seemed totally different from when he first met her. Maybe the arguments they all had months before helped with the metamorphosis. Mrs. Charles walked over to JC and hugged him lightly before whispering in his ear, "I see you found your way back to where you belong. I knew my daughter would be too much for you to handle."

 

'Nope. Same old Connie.' JC thought to himself. He watched the two women as the party went on and couldn't help but wonder why Mrs. Charles treated Rachel better than she treated her own flesh and blood. As the night progressed JC noticed Rachel and Rick in the corner arguing. He walked over to see if everything was ok. "I'm not doing it, Rachel. Get someone else to do your dirty work."

 

"Everything ok?" JC asked as he approached the siblings.

 

Rachel was startled. "Yeah, yeah...Everything is great." JC noticed Rick nod to him before walking away and heading towards the kitchen.

 

Mrs. Charles had noticed the same thing from across the room, but shrugged it off as a brother and sister not getting along as usual. A few minutes later Connie made her way into the kitchen with a few plates and glasses. She noticed Rachel's sister Janine sitting at the table drinking from a small glass.

 

"Hey Janine."

 

"Hey, Ms. Connie."

 

"You okay? I didn't see you much out there."

 

"Yeah. I'm okay." Janine decided to focus the attention away from herself momentarily. "How's Laura?"

 

Connie looked down at the floor thinking quietly to herself. "I honestly don't know. I haven't spoken to her in a long time."

 

"Busy with work huh? I saw her on tv the other day. She looks good."

 

"Well that's nice. I'm just glad that JC came to his senses and picked the right woman."

 

Janine started to laugh uncontrollably. "Geez...I didn't know you were this clueless about my sister."

 

Mrs. Charles watched Janine continue to laugh hysterically before finally asking her, "Are you drunk, Janine?"

 

"I most certainly am." she answered. "But trust me when I tell you...My sister is so conniving...That a lot of the things she has done would make even the devil himself blush."

 

"Why would you say something like that about your sister?"

 

"Because it's the truth..." Janine got up and started to pour herself another drink. "She uses people. And when she is done with them, she just throws them out as if they were garbage."

 

"I've never know her to do such a thing."

 

"That's because Laura would never let you ever see that side of my sister. Do you know how many things Laura has taken the blame for because of Rachel? How many jobs she has lost?" Janine began to give Mrs. Charles examples of what she was talking about.

 

Midway through the conversation, Rick came in and noticed Janine's blubbering. He walked over to her at the table and tried to help her up so he could take her to her room to sleep it off. Mrs. Charles just sat there stunned at everything Janine had told her so far. Janine hadn't even hit the surface of all of Rachel's endeavors.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Mom? You home?" Laura called out as she opened the front door. "Momma? It's Laura! You here!"

 

There was no answer. The car was still in the driveway, but no one was at home. She figured her mom and went out with her aunt. She placed her bag by the door and proceeded up the stairs to make sure that her mother was indeed out and not in distress.

 

When she finally reached her mother's bedroom she stood in the middle of the room and smelled the air. A light scent of vanilla filled the room. Her mother loved vanilla. Memories flooded back into her mind of when she was a little girl and would spend her Saturday afternoon's in her mother's room playing dress-up with her clothes and jewelry. She walked over to the large bed and sat down gently and remembered all the times when she would use it as a trampoline. She let her head fall back against the pillows and could smell her mother. She held the pillow tightly. Hoping that it would magically hug her back and tell her everything was going to be alright. She quickly came out of her daydream when the phone began to ring.

 

"Hello? No she isn't here right now can I take a message? Wait.  Let me get a piece of paper." Laura shuffled around in the nightstand for a pen and pad to write on.

 

She closed the top drawer and opened the small cabinet below to search. She found a writing tablet and pen attached to it. After she hung up she ripped the paper off and went to place it back inside the cabinet. A large album slid out and fell onto the floor along with a large stack of CD's. Laura was surprised to see music of any kind in her mother's room...Especially CD's. She knelt down on the floor beside the cabinet to put everything back and noticed a small CD player inside. She pulled it out and shook her head wondering why her mother actually had a radio in her room. She pressed play to see what her mother had been listening to. She was shocked to find out it was a Krystal Harris CD. She had written a song entitled "Angel" for her album. She lifted up the large book and looked through the CD's that had fallen. A deep smile grew on her face when she noticed that each and every CD had songs she had written on them. She grabbed the oversized album and opened it up to the first page. Her mouth dropped open in surprise when she saw herself at 8 years old holding a trophy in her hand and smiling at the camera. She leafed through the pages and found tons of newspaper articles about herself inside. She flipped to the back and found the most recent ones with news of her deal with Michael Stewart. She flipped back and decided to start from the beginning and go through each page.

 

About 15 minutes later Laura was startled by a voice from behind her. "Laura? What are you doing here?" her mother asked as she walked into the room. She noticed that everything in her cabinet was out scattered across the floor.

 

"You have almost every single clipping of me in here." Laura commented as she looked up at her mother.

 

Mrs. Charles noticed that Laura had tears in her eyes. "Did you think that I was that heartless?" she asked.

 

"I didn't want to believe you were." Laura sobbed.

 

Connie didn't know how to react. She hadn't held her daughter in her arms in years. She slowly walked over to her and placed her hand on her child's back. "You're my baby...No matter how badly I have treated you in the past." her mother started to break down.

 

Laura lifted her arms towards her mother to hug her. Connie fell to knees onto the floor and embraced her daughter for the first time in years. All either of them could do was cry. Mrs. Charles repeatedly begged for her daughter's forgiveness.

 

"It's ok mom...Everything is going to be alright." Laura found that their roles had somehow become reversed in those few minutes.

 

Connie began to wipe the tears from her eyes and then jokingly said, "I see you have been gaining a little weight there." Connie poked Laura in the stomach and noticed that it was very hard. "Laura?"

 

Laura looked away from her mother towards the bed. Her mother grabbed her chin and made her look her in the eyes. "Are you....?"

 

"Yes." she replied with tears falling down her cheeks.

 

"What are the two of you going to do?"

 

Laura looked down at her stomach and said, "Well, me and the baby are going to-"

 

"I meant you and JC, Laura."

 

"There is no me and JC anymore, momma."

 

Connie got up and sat on the edge of her bed. "I know."

 

"How?" Laura asked as she went and sat next to her mom on the bed.

 

"I just came back from Janine's. They're having a small get together...To celebrate their engagement."

 

Laura looked down at the floor. "Oh."

 

Connie was shocked to find out that JC would just run out on her. "He doesn't want to have anything to do with the baby?"

 

"He doesn't know about it. I've tried getting in touch with him, but he won't return my calls and he sent back my letter I had written asking that he call me right away. I'm just going to have to do this on my own. Which doesn't seem like a bad idea anymore...Given the circumstances...How is he?"

 

"He seems fine. I didn't speak to him that much. I actually came home early."

 

"Why?"

 

Connie got up and paced the floor before looking at her daughter.  "Answer me this, Laura...And be completely honest with me. When you were about 14, my favorite necklace went missing and you told me that you had accidentally worn it and lost it...Had you really done that?"

 

Laura was puzzled as to why her mother would ask her something that happened so many years ago, but decided to humor her. "No. Rachel had taken it. I didn't find out till after you had asked me about it. She told me she wanted to wear it for an audition for a play we had at school. I don't know what happened to it after that. She told me she lost it."

 

Connie reached down into her purse and took out the necklace. "I found this in her bedroom. You actually let me punish you for something she did?"

 

"I felt it was my fault to begin with. You really didn't give me a chance to explain either, so..."

 

Connie thought back and remembered that she didn't have much patience with her daughter after her father died. "I left early because Janine had told me a few things that I hadn't known before. I just didn't feel right being there, after I heard those things."

"What did she tell you?"

 

"Things that had happened when you guys were younger. Rick stopped her before she got a chance to get into your college years." her mother tried to joke. Laura smiled slightly. Well I hope it doesn't mess up your relationship with her. She has always thought of you as a second mother.

 

"I don't even know half the things she has done to you in the past and you still manage to be a friend?" her mother asked. Laura got off the bed and walked over to the rocking chair by the window and sat down.

 

"I just don't want my problems with her to affect your relationship with her. Those are two separate things."

 

"You're my daughter...What affects you, affects me. All the things that I have said about you...Things I thought you had done...How I even believed that you were capable of such things is beyond me. I've been looking for excuses to shut you out of my life more and more. Trying to erase the memory of your father from my heart and mind...What was wrong with me?" Connie was thinking out loud at this point.

 

All Laura could do was sit and listen to her mother ponder over all those years. She didn't want to tell her that it was ok that she had done what she did...As much as she wanted to, she couldn't. They both spent most of the night talking. Connie did her best to try and catch up on so many years that she had lost with her daughter.

 

The next morning Mrs. Charles woke up and found Laura curled up in a ball next to her. She smiled and kissed her daughter's forehead lightly, before heading downstairs to cook breakfast.

 

On her way towards the stairs with the breakfast tray there was a knock at the door. She placed the tray down on the table and went to answer it.

 

"JC...What are you doing here?"

Chapter 8 by DesperateThoughts

"Rachel wanted me to check on you and make sure you got home ok." he replied as he walked passed her into the foyer.

 

JC looked over into the dining room and noticed a tray of food. He had noticed the extra car sitting in the driveway and was curious as to whether or Connie had company. "Rachel said you left early last night. She just wanted to make sure that you were alright."

 

"Yeah...I'm fine." She replied as she watched him gazing around her house. "Are you?"

 

"I'm great." he replied, forcing a smile.

 

"I didn't get a chance to really talk to you last night. When is the big day?"

 

"We haven't really set a date yet."

 

"Taking it slow, I see." Connie motioned for him to have a seat in the living room. She sat down in the recliner and found herself starring at him. JC felt her eyes searing through him like knifes.

 

"So...How is Laura?" he asked, trying to break the silence.

 

"I have no idea. I was going to ask you, but when I found out about your engagement, I figured it wasn't the right time...Did the two of you split amicably?"

 

"We parted on good terms...."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Laura woke up feeling refreshed. She hadn't had a good night's sleep in ages. She smelled a faint scent of eggs and bacon and hoped that her mother was cooking for her. When she neared the stairs she heard her mother speaking. She thought she was talking to herself until she heard a familiar voice. She quietly inched her way down the stairs to get a closer listen.

 

"...Why did the two of you break it off?"   Connie's attention was pointed out the window at a group of kids riding by on their bikes.

 

Being in the same room with her made JC's blood boil. He wondered to himself how she could be such a hypocrite. One minute she is basically telling him he made the right decision in leaving her daughter and the next minute she is suddenly acting like a concerned mother. JC rolled his eyes. "I'd rather not say." he replied.

 

"None of my business...Fair enough. Is it hard for you to being neighbors with her now?"

 

"Not hard at all. She moved."

 

Connie was completely shocked. "She moved?!  I thought she loved that house?"

 

 Laura hadn't gotten around to telling her mother and winced when she heard her reaction.

 

"She did." he replied as he looked around trying not to make eye contact with Mrs. Charles. He was doing everything in his power to keep his cool. He didn't want a repeat of what had happened the last time the two of them were alone together.

 

"Do you miss her?"

 

Laura bent her ear down more towards the room to hear what JC had to say in response. He didn't know if Mrs. Charles was sincerely asking him or if she was going digging for information to go back and tell Rachel. From what he had seen the night before, he was scared that she would tell Rachel if he confessed that he indeed missed Laura.

 

"No...I don't miss her." he stated with a blank expression on his face.

 

Mrs. Charles could tell he was lying.  "You have a good poker face. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time you are down and we all decide to play some cards." she joked.

 

JC got up from the couch and didn't say a word.

 

"I won't keep you any longer." Connie said as she slowly got up from the recliner to walk JC to the door.

 

Laura quickly tip-toed upstairs so that she wouldn't be seen.

 

JC told her he would see her at the wedding if she decided to come. As he was about to make his way towards the porch stairs, Mrs. Charles called after him. He walked back towards her as she closed the front door slightly behind her. "I don't know what went on between you and my daughter, and frankly I don't care. But what I witnessed between the two of you in those 48 hours that you were here is not something that can't be reproduced...No matter how hard you try."

 

"Why are you telling me this, Mrs. Charles?"

 

"I know it seems far fetched for me to be coming out of nowhere speaking to you like this, but it's the truth. And I know just how stubborn Laura is...When she had made up her mind about something, that is it. I just...I just don't want you to miss out on anything..."

 

JC was completely confused. "What are you trying to say?"

 

"I'm just trying to say that...Our lives are based solely on choices and decisions we make. I just want you to be sure that this choice is the right one."

 

"You really are something else, lady. One minute you are scolding me and your daughter for being together, the next minute you are pretty much congratulating me on dropping her like a bad habit, and now you are wondering if I am with the right one? Now I see where Laura get's her logic from. You're whole family is screwed up." he said as he threw his hands up before making his way off the porch."

 

"Oh JC!" she called after him again. He stood there with his back turned to her and waited for her to say something. "I forgive you in advance." she smiled.

 

JC got into the car and slammed the door before speeding off down the street.

 

Mrs. Charles went back into the house and leaned against the door thinking to herself. "You didn't tell him did you?" Laura asked.

 

Connie was startled by her daughter's presence on the stairs. "No sweetie. I kept my word."

 

Laura smiled and thanked her mother before she headed back upstairs to lay down.

 

"Laura?" Her mother called after her. Laura turned around to see what she wanted. "I love you."

 

Laura smiled as she jogged down the steps and hugged her mother tightly. She had gone so many years without hearing her mother say those three words to her. In time, she convinced herself that she didn't need to hear it. But when her mother uttered the phrase she couldn't help but feel as if the weight of the world had temporarily been lifted form her shoulders. She sobbed quietly as her mother rubbed her head and held her tightly. "I love you too, mom."

 

Later on that night, while driving to the airport, Rachel leaned her head back on the seat, watching JC by the dim dashboard lights while he drove. She loved watching him. Thick brown hair, piercing blue eyes. She found him incredibly attractive with each passing day. Being with him again made her almost forget what she had given up so long ago. The way he moved, the way he talked. Chemistry. She felt it again. That chemistry that only she and him shared. JC glanced at her, and smiled.

 

"Where's our exit again?" he asked as he navigated with ease. "This seems like a longer drive back than it was coming here.

 

She nodded. "We get off at the next exit." She grinned at her mischievously. "If you're going to get me off by the time we get there, you're going to have to put in a little more effort."

 

JC rolled his eyes at her. "All I did was look at you."

 

She shook her head. "Yeah, but your eyes said it all...you want me. Just make a move."

 

"Not while I'm driving." He glanced at her.

 

She looked at him in surprise. "Why? I've gotten off while driving before."

 

"Yeah, but I don't know this area well at all. I don't want to kill us just because you have the sudden urge to cum, baby."

 

She nodded, imaging what that might feel like. She slid her hand into the thickness of his hair, toying with it while thinking about what he had said. The more he denied her, the more she was intrigued by the idea. They had many make out sessions in the car before. She snuggled up next to him, still thinking about it. It was late and dark, not very many people were on the highway. They still had a good thirty minutes before they reached the airport. She wondered when the next time they would be this completely alone together. She thought of Nikky and knew probably not for a long time. It took her five more minutes to make up her mind. She slowly slid her hand over his thigh, moving between his legs, pressing her hand against the bulge in his jeans, rubbing against him. He looked at her, raising his eyebrows at her. "What are you doing?"

 

She grinned at him. "Well, it is nice and dark out here."

 

"So?"

 

"So I miss him." she looked down towards his cock. "And I'm more than positive that he misses me...I can feel it." She fumbled with his belt and the zipper on his jeans.

 

JC wanted to stop her, but his body was begging to do the complete opposite. He eventually gave in and helped her unhook his belt and unbutton his jeans. She watched as he pulled his cock free of his jeans and boxers.

 

"Just promise me you won't wreck the car," she said as she wrapped her hand around him, loving to touch him.

 

She moved her hand up and down on him, watching his face in the dim light. She loved watching him as she touched him. He closed his eyes briefly as her hand caressed him. He couldn't stop himself from lifting his hips into her touch. Her touch felt so good. Her hand slid up and down his cock, paying special attention to the spot below the head where she knew he was the most sensitive. He was content to let her touch him that way. Rachel leaned up while still stroking him in her hand and licked his ear lightly before whispering, "You want to be in my mouth don't you, baby."

 

The words were like fire to a flame. He couldn't help but get chills down his spine and swallow hard trying to concentrate on the road. She smiled coyly when his reaction showed her just how much he wanted her.

 

Rachel leaned over and licked the tip of his cock, feeling him move his seat back a bit to accommodate her. Slowly she slid her mouth down his cock, taking him deeper into her mouth. She swirled her tongue around him, sucking gently, loving to feel him in her mouth. With a moan, he placed his hand on the back of her head, encouraging her. He had to fight himself from closing his eyes while he drove.

 

"You want me to take him all the way?"

 

He moaned softly as her warm wet mouth moved farther down, taking him as far as she could, all the way to the base. She had become a pro with his cock. She claimed it as her own so many times before. She squirmed in the seat, tightening her mouth on him, moving her mouth faster on him. She loved being in control. It always made her so horny to know that she was calling all the shots. Still she preferred being on her back with him on top of her, his cock inside her, their arms around each other, his chest against her soft breasts, her face pressed against his warm neck. She felt so close to him then. He ran his hand through her hair as her mouth slid up and down on him, her hand moving up and down. He squeezed the back of her neck as she moved her mouth on him, her teeth lightly dragging across him like she knew he liked. He lifted his hips up, forcing more of his cock into her mouth. She struggled not to choke as more of his cock entered her mouth. She was anxious to make him cum, to make him happy, to please him.  She didn't want any of his thoughts drifting off to Laura and prayed that wasn't who he was thinking about as she pleasured him with her mouth.

 

She squirmed in her seat. And she was so turned on herself. She wanted to be touched, she wanted his cock inside her, thrusting inside her. His hand moved to her breast, pulling her bra up, then cupping them, handling her roughly in his excitement. He caressed her breasts, crushing them in his hands. He heard her moan around his cock. She was so aroused she thought she would start whimpering if she didn't get relief soon. She closed her eyes as his fingers found her nipple, pinching it between his thumb and finger. She heard him say her name, knew he was close and started moving faster on his cock, tightening her mouth around him. She loved making him cum.

 

Feeling him starting to orgasm, she kept her mouth locked on his cock, swallowing it all. She tried not to laugh when she felt the car swerve to the right. After she licked the tip of his cock once and sit up, he slid an arm around her, squeezing her to him and kissing the top of her head.

 

As he continued to drive Rachel knew she wouldn't be able to cool off. She laid back in her seat and unbuttoned her jeans. She smiled at him as she played with herself through her panties. "You're crazy if you think I was going to let you have complete control here." he smirked as he pulled her hand away and slid his hand down her pants, touching her.

 

She spread her legs, leaning against the car door to give him better access. She moaned as his fingers slid between her lips, touching her clit. He rubbed it gently, feeling her lifting her hips up into his touch. He took his eyes off the road for a moment to look at her. He continued to rub her, the jeans getting into his way. She whimpered in frustration. At this angle with her jeans on, he just couldn't touch her the way she wanted him to. She looked around. It was nice and dark. Pulling her hand away, she slid her jeans and panties down, and then leaned back against the door, spreading her legs. He went back to rubbing her, alternating between watching the road and watching her. After a moment, he sunk two fingers into her warm and wet center, his thumb finding her clit, feeling her instantly lift up, taking his fingers farther into her. He started thrusting his fingers in and out of her slowly, then picking up speed. As usual, his touch felt incredible. She loved being with him again.

 

She sunk farther down in her seat, closing her eyes, her mind totally blank except for the pleasure he was giving her. She moaned with ecstasy. After having JC in her mouth, it didn't take her long to get to the edge of orgasm. He pressed his fingers inside her deeply, rubbing her clit faster and faster, his fingers thrusting harder. She was soon writhing against his fingers. Feeling her tighten around his fingers, he knew she was close. "Cum for me." he commanded. His fingers combined with his deep voice telling her to cum was all that it took to push her over the edge. She cried out as the waves of pleasure washed over her. She leaned her head back against the window, trying to catch her breath. Slowly he pulled his hands away from her, smiling as he licked his fingers clean and watched her fix her clothes. All the frustrations of the day had disappeared...It had been a good night. After she had fixed her clothes, she laid her head down on his arm, taking his hand. Completely content, she whispered, "I love you." Snuggled up beside him, she led him to the entrance of the airport to head back home...Their home...Together."

Chapter 9 by DesperateThoughts

"Hey Momma, are there anymore tacks in the...Rick."

 

Rick smiled when he saw Laura enter the dining room.  He noticed she was dressed in baggy sweats and a pink t-shirt. He also couldn't help but see the small bulge in her stomach.  Rick did his best to look away from the sight. "Hey, Laura. How ya been?"

 

"I forgot that Rick was coming over to help me with the new blinds I bought for the dining room." her mother explained.

 

"It's ok. I could come back later or something." Rick said as he pointed back towards the door and was about to leave.

 

"No, no...It's ok. It will only take a minute, Rick. I wouldn't want you to have to come all the way back over here later on to do a 5 minute job." Mrs. Charles explained.

 

Laura sat at the dining room table and give directions to the two of them as they struggled to get everything centered over the window. Once they were finished Connie asked if Rick could run with Laura over to the store.

 

As Laura was driving she noticed his gaze was towards her abdomen. "What's wrong? Never seen a pregnant woman before?"

 

Rick shifted in his seat and watched her as she drove before asking, "Does he know?"

 

"You, Hallie, and my mother are the only ones who know...And I am hoping to keep it that way."

 

"Come on now..How long have you known me?"

 

"I'm sorry. I just don't know who to trust anymore."

 

After they stopped off at the store Rick took over the driving and brought Laura to a place she hadn't been in years. As they drove down the long pebbled pathway Laura's mouth dropped open in awe. They soon found themselves in the middle of a large clearing in the woods. When they were younger, it had been turned into a park and picnic area for the locals. She recognized the gazebo that was sitting near the large lake. Rick slowly pulled up in reverse almost to the edge of the hill that led to the lake and turned off the car. It was too cold outside to go and sit anywhere, so they decided to just sit in the car and watch the ducks from the back of the SUV.

 

He laid out the back seats and had Laura sit between his legs so she could lean back against him to be more comfortable. They both were silent as they just watched the still water and listened to the ducks squawking outside.

 

"You seem very deep in thought right now." he said as he rubbed the sides of her arms to keep her warm.

 

"I am."

 

"About?"

 

"Hmmm...It's not just one little thing...It's everything. My whole life up till this point."

 

Rick understood exactly what she meant and decided to reflect on his own thoughts. "My sister is a living, breathing, and walking train wreck."

 

Laura chuckled a little before leaning back against him more and saying, "It's not completely her fault. I can't blame her for everything that is wrong in my life."

 

"Yeah, but she has a big part in it, Laura."

 

"Ehhh...I dunno about all that."

 

"Even when you two are enemies you find some way to defend my sister."

 

"It's not that, Rick. You're sister is a good person...Underneath it all. She has a fucked up sense of reality, but besides that, she is pretty cool. We are inseparable when it's just the two of us, one on one.  But when money and popularity get thrown into the mix, some people just become obsessed with having it and keeping it...No matter what."

 

Rick knew his sister had always fantasized about having the best in life and he knew just how determined his little sister was when it came to having what she wanted.  He tried to remember back to the good old days before both women started the ride of their lives in the entertainment business.  "You remember that time back in high school when Daryl Woodward told you that you couldn't play the piano for shit?"

 

Laura laughed at the memories racing around in her head. "And Rachel came out of no where and tackled him? All anyone saw was this tiny chick kicking this huge football players ass! It was hilarous!  Or that time when..."  Laura continued to recollect things from the past with her ex-love. 

 

Once their laughter died down, Rick went to ask her a more serious question. "Do you think that one or both of you were in the wrong somewhere along the lines in this whole mess?"

 

"I go over it about a million times in my head everyday...Was I wrong to keep her secret? Was it right to betray one friends trust for another's. Should I have done the right thing...No matter what? Why did I cross that sacred line of friendship by getting involved with JC in the first place?" She took a deep breath before continuing. "I think in our own way we thought we were doing the right things. Rachel genuinely thought that the baby was Jerry's. But when Nikky was born and he had the blue eyes and the thick dark brown hair like JC's we both were worried. But by then it was too late for her to say 'hold on guys, I think there was a mistake.' JC had already kicked her to the curb and Jerry would have definitely thrown her out on her ass if she even mentioned doubts of paternity. Then you have the fact that she seemed to genuinely love Jerry. I don't know if it was because he spoiled her to death with all the attention and gifts or if it went beyond materialistic things. But either way, she adored him. At that point I didn't think that it would have upset her too much if something happened between me and Josh...Especially since it had been a year since they split. Being that your sister is an actress, pretending comes naturally to her. So while she is off pretending that life is perfect, I am trying to hold everything together and help JC deal with the breakup, help myself deal with these feelings I am not starting to have for him, and to top it off learning how to deal with this huge secret she begged me to keep."

 

"Seems extremely stressful." he sympathized.

 

"It was...It got worse when JC and I started seeing each other, cause now I had another secret that I needed to keep."

 

"He wanted to keep you a secret?"

 

"No, he wanted to tell everyone. And I was a big hypocrite for telling him that I didn't want all of that attention focused on us when the media found out, or having to hear our friends and family's opinions. Because it mostly was a fear of what Rachel would say. Dating your best friends ex-fiance is not something that is taken lightly between women. I knew I was in the wrong. But I couldn't help the way I felt about him...It just happened."

 

"So what you are saying in so many words is that JC walked out on you to go back to my sister because you kept a promise to a friend?"

 

"Yeah, that and the fact that he doesn't want to be a part-time father."

 

"Yeah, but what about this one?" Rick asked as he gently rubbed the side of her stomach. "He can't be a full-time father to both of them."

 

Laura shook her head, not really knowing what to say.

 

"Laura, he's going to find out about him or her sooner or later. A kid isn't something that you can really hide."

 

"I'm not trying to hide the baby at all. I'm just not going to chase someone who doesn't want to have anything to do with me. Rick, I tried calling and writing him. He won't return my calls and he sent back my letters. So what else can I do, but move on? I'm not going to spend the rest of my pregnancy stressing myself out over this...It's not good for me and it surely isn't good for the baby."

 

"I think if you really wanted him to know you'd try harder?"

 

"What? You want me to show up on his doorstep and point down and say surprise?"

 

"Honestly? Yeah."

 

"Well it ain't gonna happen. If he doesn't want to have anything to do with me then so be it. I'm not going to be the fool here."

 

Rick decided to back off the issue for a while. He didn't bring her out to the lake to argue. "You remember when we used to come here?"

 

"Yeah." she smiled. "I used to love coming here with you. It was so peaceful. Not to mention romantic as hell when it was spring time and the nights weren't too cold or too hot."

 

"Yeah, you ruined it when you brought my sister out here drinking one night. We weren't able to get rid of her after that." he laughed.

 

"Yeah we were wild back then."  she grinned.  "We always had each other's backs." Laura drifted off thinking back on their friendship.

 

"You miss her?"

 

"Well in my own way I do. I love your sister...Besides the fact that she sometimes reckless with her life and most often times doesn't make the right decisions and I am left trying to bail her out..."

 

"That's what I could never understand about you...Why did you keep bailing her out?"

 

"When you do something for so long, it just becomes common place. I didn't have any brother's and sisters. I didn't have many friends. I was always being teased because I was considered different or stuck up because of all the attention on my family or music...She knew how I felt. She could relate. And even now I don't hate her. And I miss Nikky like crazy."

 

After Rick updated her on how the baby was doing, they both decided to sit there and just watch the sun go down. They remembered back to better times. Times when they had been so happy with one another. Rick wondered what his life might be like had he not been so afraid of losing Laura to the business. He then asked himself if this could be his second chance at happiness with the girl he had always loved.

Chapter 10 by DesperateThoughts

"Mmmm...I love being lazy with you on Sundays." Rachel mumbled as she moved her body back closer to JC's in bed.

 

He wrapped his arms tightly around her waiste and kissed her shoulder lightly. "I can get my mom and dad to take Nikky with them to the church picnic and then we can really stay in bed for the rest of the afternoon."

 

Rachel smiled at thought of spending the entire day in bed with her fiance. "I wish I could. I have to run a few errands today. Then I have to meet with Jerry to retrieve the rest of my things with our lawyers."

 

The divorce became rather ugly after Jerry found out about the paternity results. He didn't want to give her any of her belongings. He had made threats to have a bonfire with all the expensive items he had acquired for her in his backyard. The lawyers made arrangements to have them both go through what was to be split between the two of them. The only thing Jerry did not object about were Nikky's things. He personally made arrangements with JC to hand over what belonged to the baby.

 

"How long do you think you'll be?" JC asked as he slid his tongue across Rachel's ear lightly.

 

"I don't know....Not too long though." she giggled. "I'm mostly worried about all my files that are in the house. My portfolio is there. I have audition tapes that I really need to look over. You know I have that big audition in Chicago soon."

 

JC was barely listening to her as he continued to run his tongue along her collar bone, letting his hands slowly slide down the sides of her thighs as he gently rubbed himself into her ass. Rachel could feel herself becoming rather wet when she felt his cock growing harder and harder with each touch. Her eyes began to flutter as she struggled to talk, "....Speaking of Chicago. Are you coming with me?"

 

"Yeah, Joey was invited to some big Escalade show there. I said I would tag along with him while you were doing your thing. I have to make sure that Laticia can come with us so that Nikky is taken care of while we're both out."

 

"I talked to her yesterday about it. She said it would be fine." Rachel stretched before getting up out of bed.

 

JC whimpered when she moved away from his touch.

 

"I have to hurry up before I am late, baby. We'll have plenty of time for that later."

 

After finally getting out of bed himself, JC turned on the radio before putting on a pair of sweatpants and tidying up the bedroom. Jodeci's unplugged version of "Lately" was playing softly throughout the room. JC sat on the edge of the bed and started to put on a pair of socks. He then sat there and studied Rachel as she went through the closets searching desperately for something to wear. He wondered why she was taking so much time to pick out an outfit and perfume. She was only going to see Jerry. His insecurities got the best of him as his mind drifted back to when he caught Jerry and Rachel together.

 

Far more frequently you're wearing perfume

And with you saying 'No special place to go'

But when I ask, will you be coming back soon?

Saying you don't know, never know

I'm a man of many wishes

Hope my premonition misses

But what I really feel

My eyes won't let me hide

Cuz it always starts to cry

Cuz this time could mean good, goodbye.

 

JC shook his head and blocked out the visions that were running around in his head. He reminded himself that he wasn't going to go there. They had made a promise to each other that things from the past would remain in the past. He got up from the bed and headed down the hallway to make breakfast.

 

The doorbell rang about 45 minutes later while JC was setting the table. When he opened the door he noticed a woman standing there nervously smiling at him.

 

"Hi. Can I speak to Rachel please?"

 

Just as JC was about to ask who she was, he heard Rachel say, "Cassandra? What are you doing here?"

 

"I need to talk to you. It's very important."

 

Rachel noticed that JC seemed curious about the woman who was standing in their doorway. "JC this is Cassandra. I met her while working on that Lifetime movie last week. Cassandra, this is my fiance, JC."

 

"Nice to meet you." they both said in unison as they shook each others hand.

 

"Could you excuse us for a minute, honey?" Rachel asked.

 

JC nodded and headed back towards the kitchen. He was surprised when he heard the door shut and saw both women on the other side of it.

 

"I thought I told you never to come here."

 

~~~~~~~~

 

"How did you get my number and address?"

 

"I have endless connections, Laura."

 

"Well I'd appreciate it if you kept this information private. What is it that you need, Jerry?"

 

"I just need you to sign some consent forms for some footage that we have of you and Michael in the studio and various other places. We're putting together a DVD for his album release."

 

Laura was very upset over the fact that Jerry had tracked her down the way he did. "Well just FedEx it to me. I'll send it back the same day."

 

"I also wanted to see if you and JC would get together for a few tapings. We just need some short interview clips and a mock up studio session. A lot of the video we have of you from the studio is unusable. You were cursing like a sailor."

 

"No. I can't. It's nothing against you at all, Jerry."

 

Jerry could sense the emotion in her voice. "Well, just thought I'd ask. I'll just stick with JC then."

 

Laura felt bad that she was being so short with him. "I'm sorry Jerry."

 

"It's okay, Laura. I understand."

 

"How have you been by the way?" she asked with concern.

 

As much as Jerry tried to put on a front, she knew that he was a big teddy bear down deep inside.  She knew how much he adored Rachel and Nikky and knew he was having just as hard a time as she was with recent events.

 

Jerry slightly smiled as he turned in his chair and stared out the window. "Been okay. Trying to keep busy with work. How about yourself? Chicago treating you right?"

 

"Yeah, it's ok. Still haven't decided whether or not I want to make it permanent."

 

"I heard you got offered your own studio there."

 

"Who else knows?" Laura asked nervously.

 

"No one else knows. I talked to Frank. Why are you being so secretive these days?" he questioned.

 

"I need to be by myself for awhile. I don't want the attention right now from the media. I'm still surprised that they haven't tracked me down yet like you have."

 

"Yeah I've read all the tabloids..." They both were silent until Jerry came back and said, "Well I won't take up anymore of your time, Sweetie. I just wanted to send you over that information. I'll talk to you soon."

 

"Hey Jerry?" Laura called after him.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Thanks for calling."

 

"I was only trying to talk you into helping me out again." he lied.

 

"Yeah, but you didn't have to. I'm obligated to do this whether I want to or not. And you actually saying it's ok, is a really huge thing for me right now...So thanks."

 

Jerry smiled. "You're welcome. Just remember that time heals all wounds, Laura."

 

Her smile faded as she thought about the advice he had just given. "Nah...The wounds are still there. They're just below the surface."

Chapter 11 by DesperateThoughts

You look absolutely amazing." Rick said as he placed his arm out for Laura's. She fixed her dress and pulled up her elbow length black satin gloves. Her long dark red dress was reminiscent of the one Julia Roberts wore to the opera in "Pretty Woman."

 

Laura was very self conscious about the small bulge in her stomach. She and her mother had gone out and bought special underwear that would help minimize the growing size of her abdomen. "Remind me why are we here again?" she asked as she held onto his arm tightly.

 

"You were given a special invite by the curator of the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame Museum."

 

Laura took in a deep breath as they walked through the doors into the large banquet hall at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. The band was playing Otis Redding's "Try A Little Tenderness."

 

When Laura and Rick reached their table her mother leaned over and said, "I think I saw that Justin boy that you know. The one who always has the weird curls in his hair and that schnoze he calls a nose."

 

Laura giggled at her mother's reaction to Justin. "Come on mom. Don't be mean. He's a cutie pie."

 

"I'm not being mean. I was just speaking my mind, Laura."

 

"Mrs. Charles, I think Laura doesn't want us embarrassing her tonight." Hallie whispered as she leaned up to take a sip of her water.

 

"Then she shouldn't have invited us." Mrs. Charles joked.

 

She and Hallie began to laugh lightly to themselves as Laura rolled her eyes at the both of them. While taking a sip of her water, she let her eyes scan the room before they happened upon a man who was smiling and laughing with another group of gentlemen. A smile grew across her face when she saw him and remembered how he used to smile at her that way.

 

She continued to stare over at the group of men talking at their table. One of them must have said something funny, because they all burst into laughter. She lightly laughed to herself when she saw one in particular double over with glee before he took a sip of his drink. He looked around the room before their eyes finally met. A smile crept across his face when he saw her for the first time in a long time. He waved and mouthed hello, before their gaze was interrupted by a familiar voice saying, "Laura, did you want the chicken or beef?"

 

Laura looked over at Hallie and then up at the waitress who was patiently waiting for her reply. "The chicken would be fine, thanks." she said quickly before looking back towards the gentlemen who had caught her eye earlier.

 

To her disappointment, he was no longer in his seat. She scanned the room but could not find him anywhere. "How's everybody doing tonight?" a voice rang out from behind her. She quickly found herself becoming extremely nervous.

 

JC bent down and hugged Laura's mother before she could get up to meet his embrace. "You look fabulous Mrs. Charles." JC was rather excited to see her there with Laura...Especially at an event that was dedicated solely to the music industry.

 

"Why thank you, Joshua." Mrs. Charles replied.

 

The smile faded from Laura's face when she realized that this was the same man who had been ignoring her phone calls and letters. She looked towards Hallie who was giving her a questioning look as to what the hell she was doing smiling at him of all people.

 

JC knelt between Laura and her mother's chair. He looked over at Laura who was looking straight ahead with her elbows on the tabled and her hands underneath her chin. JC began to stutter when he saw her dress. "You...You..You all look incredible."

 

JC looked over towards Hallie whose arms were crossed as she glared at him. The smile faded from his face when Laura did not speak. "Well I better get back to my table before the show starts. It was nice seeing you all again."

 

Once JC got back to his table Chris leaned over and asked, "She looks...healthy."

 

"I'm surprised she decided to show up after everything you...." Justin stopped short of completing his sentence.

 

All 5 men got rather quiet when Rachel returned to the table. She had noticed JC over at Laura's table earlier and had been studying him ever since. She smiled at everyone before taking her seat and leaning over kissing JC lightly on the lips.

 

During the show there were many artists inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Museum, along with outstanding performances by the artists themselves and those paying tribute. At about mid-show, Phil Collins made his way on stage as everyone cheered. He waited patiently for it to die down before he continued to speak. "A long time ago, I had the great pleasure of working with an incredible man. He was a talented writer, producer, musician, as well as a loving father, husband and friend."

 

Laura's mother gasped when she saw a picture of her husband appear on the large screen.

 

"Nathaniel Charles was known to most as an innovator...A magic man of sorts...." Phil went on to talk about Laura's father before they played the video on the screen. Pictures and video footage Laura had never seen played. Laura smiled to herself when she say footage of herself as a little girl with her father at various studio sessions with her dad. There were even pictures of Laura and Rachel. She and Rick laughed at one in particular where the two girls were dressed up as famous singers while her father laughed and played the piano for them. She looked over at her mother who was starring up at the large screen with tears rolling down her face. She grabbed her mother's hand and held it tightly, smiling at her as they continued to watch different interview clips of other artists paying homage to her father's career. "It gives me great pleasure to announce that Nathaniel Charles has officially been inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame. I am hoping that Connie Charles or her daughter will come and say a few words on his behalf."

 

The spotlight went through the crowd till it reached their table where Laura and her mother were hugging one another. Mrs. Charles pushed her daughter up and told her to go ahead. Rick rushed over and pulled her chair out for her to stand. As she made her way to the stage, she waved and shook hands with various people in the audience. Phil hugged her and handed her the trophy. Laura stood there looking down at it while the audience clapped. "Oh wow...This is...This is completely unexpected." She looked over at the screen and saw a picture of her and her father when she was little sitting at the piano playing. "My father passed away when I was young and I did not get the opportunity to discover the extent of his career or how many lives he had touched in so little time. I got a chance to see things I've never seen, reminisce on memories of my father when I was just a child." Laura cleared her throat trying to choke back the tears.

 

JC looked over and noticed Rachel wiping her eyes and thought quietly to himself.

 

"It was very beautiful and sad at the same time. Up until this very moment, I never knew just how much my father was missed not only by his family and friends, but by his peers. My mother and I would like to thank those who were apart of this, and we would also like to give our deepest gratitude for this induction. I don't know what else to say...Thank you so much!"

 

Phil walked up and rubbed her back lightly as he leaned towards the mic and said, "As many of you already know, Laura is following in the footsteps of her father. She seems to have inherited his incredible talent along with her mother's beauty. I had the honor of working with Nathan right before he died on the soundtrack for a movie called, 'Against All Odds'."

 

The crowd began cheering. Phil spoke up louder as he continued to speak, "I will never forget the time that Nathan brought little Laura into the studio while we were working on the song of the same title. She sat in the corner coloring just singing her little heart out. I was suppose to perform the song this evening, but I am hoping that Laura will help me out a little like she did so many years ago."

 

Laura and Phil whispered back and forth to one another before she finally looked around for a place to set down the trophy. Rick jogged over to the stage and gently took it from her hand. She walked over to the mic and adjusted it before she took a few deep breaths as Phil walked over to the piano and began to play.  He started off with the first verse:

 

How can I just let you walk away, just let you leave without a trace

When I stand here taking every breath with you, ooh

You're the only one who really knew me at all

 

Laura couldn't help but think of how the lyrics fit so perfectly to what she was feeling. She couldn't help but look over at JC, who was staring up at her, as she started to sing.

 

How can you just walk away from me,

when all I can do is watch you leave

Cos we've shared the laughter and the pain and even shared the tears

You're the only one who really knew me at all

 

"She does so look like she's pregnant." Joey whispered to Chris.

 

"She does not. Her stomach would be poking out more than it is right now." Chris argued.

 

JC looked over at the men talking and rolled his eyes. "Stop trying to make something out of nothing. You're worse than a couple of reporters." Justin whispered loudly before motioning for them to shut up.

 

Both Phil and Laura sang the chorus

 

So take a look at me now, there's just an empty space

And there's nothing left here to remind me,

just the memory of your face

Take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space

And you coming back to me is against the odds and that's what I've got to face

 

Laura tried to focus her attention away from JC as she looked over at Phil playing the piano as he continued to sing before she soon followed. 

 

I wish I could just make you turn around,

turn around and see me cry

There's so much I need to say to you,

so many reasons why

You're the only one who really knew me at all

So take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space

And there's nothing left here to remind me, just the memory of your face

So take a look at me now, cause there's just an empty space

 

Laura let her hands and her voice soar high towards the heavens, hoping that someone would hear her desperate cries. Everyone in the audience had the chills as they listened to her belt out the song.

 

But to wait for you, is all I can do and that's what I've got to face

Take a good look at me now, cause I'll still be standing here

And you coming back to me is against all odds

That's the chance I've gotta take

 

Laura looked over at JC as she sang the last few words of the song. She then closed her eyes and bowed.

 

Take a look at me now

 

Everyone in the audience stood up and cheered. Rachel looked over at noticed JC quickly wiping his eyes and he vigorously clapped for her. Right at that moment she knew that Laura and JC had something together that she never would.

Chapter 12 by DesperateThoughts

"If I may be so nosy, JC. What are you working on over there? You seem obsessed."

 

"Oh, it's just some music. I can't get this song out of my head for some reason. I woke up with a sudden burst of energy to work on it."

 

"Have a title for it yet?"

 

"Yeah...How Do You Keep The Music Playing..."

 

"Sounds nice. Good luck with that." the woman said before turning her attention back to her computer screen.

 

"Thanks, Gina."

 

JC went back to working on the song. He went over to the copy machine and made copies of the original sheet music before going back to the couch and continuing to scribble down lyrics. Gina sat and watched him as he hummed the melody and mumbled a few lyrics here and there. She watched JC trying to write with the paper against his thighs. She then started giggling as he changed positions on the couch 5 times before finally sitting on the floor and placing the sheet music on the table and frantically writing. About 10 minutes later Gina was interrupted from her game of solitaire with the ringing of the telephone.

 

"Jc...Jerry's ready for you now." she called over to him.

 

"Thanks Gina." he said as he got up and walked into Jerry's office.

 

JC noticed Jerry looking through files in a nearby drawer. "Have a seat, JC." Jerry said as he continued to search through the files. Jerry smiled when he found the folder he was looking for before sliding his chair back to his desk.

 

"How's Nikky?"

 

"He's good. Still a little temperamental, but hopefully he will be ok in time. The offer is still open if you want to come see him, Jerry."

 

"I don't think that would be the best thing for him. I don't want to add to his confusion right now."

 

JC dug down into his wallet and pulled out three photographs and handed them to Jerry. "Here you go."

 

Jerry's eyes immediately lit up when he saw the little boy staring back at him with the deepest smile across his face. "He got so big!" Jerry laughed.

 

JC gave him a quick update on the baby before they got into business. "I signed the consent forms that you needed." JC said as he handed him the stack of folders.

 

"Good...Good. When do you think we can get you to do some more tapings for us?"

"Ummm...Anytime this week. Next week I have to go to Chicago. But I'll be able to do whatever it is that you need when I get back."

 

"Ok." Jerry said as he starting writing the info down on his calendar.

 

"Is Laura going to be doing any taping with us?" JC curiously asked.

 

Jerry didn't look up from his writing, "No. Unfortunately she declined."

 

"So you've spoken to her?"

 

Jerry stopped writing when he noticed the curious tone in JC's voice. He smirked slightly before looking up at him. "Why are you so curious?"

 

"I'm not." JC lied.

 

He could feel the questions coming on and got off-topic as quickly as he could. He went over his schedule once more with Jerry and signed a few more papers before finally leaving. Jerry sat at his desk and checked the forms to make sure that JC had singed each page. He stumbled across three sheets of paper that were stuck to the bottom. He sat back and started reading the pages carefully before smiling and picking up the phone.

 

"Gina. Get me Rick Danley on the line please."

 

Jerry sat and waiting for Gina to connect him to one of the downstairs offices. "Yo, Rick. I need to come down there and have you play something for me. It's extremely important."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Cheryl Lynn's ''Got To Be Real" blared throughout the backyard as the large crowd of people mingled amongst themselves. Rachel grabbed a wine glass from a server's tray and continued to smile and talk to JC's aunt as she showed her the rather large engagement ring.  JC was in the house trying to calm Nikky down, while Laticia rushed to get his baby food.

 

The house was packed with friends, family, friends of friends, of other various people that JC didn't know. He was relieved when he saw Justin walking through the front door with his parents. Lynn walked over and hugged JC before taking the baby from his arms and bouncing the boy up and down to quiet his cries. Justin looked around at all the people in the house and looked over at JC with one eyebrow raised, "You know any of these people?"

 

JC laughed, "Naw, but they apparently know me well enough to come in here and eat up all my food."

 

"Speaking of food...Where is it?"

 

JC pointed towards the backyard and asked him to get him a soda while he was out there.

 

"Hi JC." a tiny voice called out from behind him.

 

JC turned around and smiled slightly. "Cassandra, right?"

 

"Yep."

 

"Nice to see you again."

 

"Congratulations." she said softly. JC pointed her towards the food and Rachel before mingling with a few more guests.

 

"Any fine ladies here?" Justin asked as he sat down next to JC on the patio.

 

"There are a few. Rachel's friend, Cassandra, isn't too bad looking. They met a few weeks ago on the set of that Lifetime thing she did."

 

"Which one?" Justin asked as he looked around.

 

"You see the one over there sitting on the edge of the pool talking to Lance? That's her." JC pointed out.

 

Justin immediately recognized the girl and found himself very confused. "Are you sure Rachel met her just a few weeks ago?"

 

"Yeah. Cause I know most of Rachel's friends and she showed up at our door unexpected. I thought she was a crazed fan or something when I saw her. Why do you ask?"

 

"You must be mistaken with that, cause me and Hallie saw the two of them together months ago."

 

JC looked over towards Cassandra and then back over at Rachel who was laughing with a few of her friends.

 

"Hallie spotted Rachel and was being nosey as usual...This was way back before Laura moved." Justin reiterated.

 

"Maybe I am mistaken." JC said before taking a sip of his soda.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

"What the hell are you doing here?" Rachel hissed as she grabbed Cassandra's arm and pulled her off to the side where no one was looking.

 

"I came to celebrate your engagement."

 

"Excuse me?"

 

"Well I assumed my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. I know you would never pass up your best buddy like that."

 

"Let's get one thing straight. We are not buddies." Rachel stopped talking and plastered a fake smile on her face as JC walked over towards the two women.

 

"Hey, baby. My mom needs you to come over and take a few pictures."

 

"I'll be there in a second, Hun."

 

"Okay. You're more than welcome to join in Cassandra." JC noted.

 

Cassandra put down her wine glass, "Oh that would be great. Come on, Rachel." she said as she grabbed her arm and pulled her away.

 

JC watched as they joined the rest of the women for pictures. Curiosity was looming in his brain as he wondered why Rachel would have told him she only met Cassandra recently. JC didn't have much time to concentrate on it during the party. He was too busy trying to entertain all him guest and please his mother with a million pictures.

 

Rachel and Cassandra dipped off into the house. Justin noticed the two of them and decided to say hello. Rachel introduced Cassandra to him and they spoke briefly before Rachel interrupted and told Justin she needed Cassandra's help with something. He found it odd that she was so short with him before pulling to woman into the back bedroom, but brushed it off as chaos from the party.

 

"I want you out of here...Now."

 

"Wow, Rachel. Why are we so uptight today? pre-wedding jitters?"

 

"You don't belong here. You weren't invited."

 

"Well that hurts. I come to wish my friend the best of luck in her new marriage and I get slapped in the face with the insults." Cassandra acted hurt.

 

"We aren't friends...Get it straight."

 

"Well I would have thought we were. Since we have saved each other's asses time and time again."

 

"A favor for a favor...That's all it was. I've helped you more than enough. So grab your jacket and get moving out my front door pronto."

 

"Okay...I'll just go and say a few words to JC and I'll be on my way."

 

Rachel grabbed Cassandra's arm. "You won't say a thing to JC."

 

"Who's gonna stop me? You?" Cassandra laughed.

 

"What do you want from me?"

 

"A few grand and a few encouraging words for this part I am auditioning for."

 

"I just gave you four thousand dollars a few weeks ago."

 

"Well I need more...Maybe I can go out there and ask JC for the money. Small amount to pay for all the information I hold up here." Cassandra said as she tapped the side of her head.

 

"You're the one that screwed up here...Not me. I saved your ass when you got my son's blood type wrong. Jerry was trying to have you fired and if given the chance he would have definitely found some way to sue you if it wasn't for me."

 

"Messing with paternity test results is a much bigger favor than my little screw up with blood types in a lab...And we both know your heart isn't that big. You had motives of your own when you stepped in and 'helped' me. You owe me way more than I owe you, Rachel...And your going to pay. Cough it up, or I'll be changing my career from aspiring actress to stool pigeon."

Chapter 13 by DesperateThoughts

"Joey, grab me a soda while you're in there." JC yelled out from the car as he started to pull off down the street to make a u-turn.

 

Joey walked into the small convenience store and straight into the back where the refrigerated section was. After he got the soda's, he stopped in the isle where the chips were. He could hear a woman laughing and talking up front with the clerk. Her voice sounded familiar, but Joey didn't take much notice of it over his hunger pains.

 

"Ha Ha! Well afterwards, I don't know if I will be coming in as often as I am now, Mr. Alfonso. I'll need to go on a diet to get rid of my gut."

 

"Oh, pish posh. You are beautiful either way."

 

Joey slowly made his way to the front of the store. As he was walking up behind the woman he stopped and turned around to look at a stack of ho ho's that were on sale. The woman finished up her purchase and proceeded out the store just as Joey turned back around to face the counter. The older, short, balding clerk told him he would be right back, before bolting out the door yelling, "Laura! You forgot your change!"

In his curiosity Joey followed to see who the woman was. He squinted his eyes slightly as the tinted back window of the black Lincoln came sliding down. He walked over slowly and leaned down a bit to get a closer look at the woman who was reaching her hand out the window. "Laura?"

 

"Hey Joey." Laura immediately rolled the window up slightly. He smiled and got closer to the car as Laura rolled the window down just a bit to lean her head out and give him a peck on the cheek.

 

"How have you been?" he asked.

 

"I've been okay. Yourself?" The two talked very briefly. In the midst of their ten second conversation Laura interrupted Joey and said, "I hate to have to do this, but I’m running late, Joe. I should have been at the studio 15 minutes ago."

 

"Oh okay, sweetie. I'll catch up with you later."

 

"Give the baby a kiss for me." she called out as the car started down the road. JC pulled up just as they pulled off. "Where's my soda man?"

 

Joey was starring down the road towards the black Lincoln as it disappeared around the corner. He looked over at JC and placed up his index finger, signaling that he would be right back. Joey finished up his purchase and got in the car, handing JC his soda. Joey looked down the road again. JC looked in the direction he was staring and then back at his friend, "What are you looking at?"

 

"Laura..."

 

JC almost got whiplash when he turned his head around to look for her, "Where!?"

 

"She was just here a second ago. I was in there getting our stuff and the dude that works there went bolting out the door calling out her name to give her change."

 

"He knew her by name?"

 

Joey was still trying to make sense of it all himself, "Yeah. But she said she was on her way to the studio so maybe it's right down the road from here. I guess she must go in there a lot."

 

"Or maybe he just met her and she told him her name." JC suggested.

 

"I don't think so. When I was in the store they were talking as if they had known each other a while, cause she said she needed to stop going in there."

 

"Oh..." JC was very curious about the encounter, but didn't want Joey to know. "How is she?"

 

"She seems like she is doing really well."

 

"Did she know I was just up the street?"

 

"I didn't get a chance to tell her. She was in a big rush to leave."

 

"Did she say what studio it was?"

 

"Nope." Joey could tell that JC was dying to get more information.

 

He smiled to himself and relished in seeing his friend squirm. He was a bit disappointed when JC stop his inquiries and changed topics during the drive to the car show. The entire time they were there, Joey noticed that JC was unusually quiet and keeping to himself most of the night. On the way home, Joey decided he couldn't stand the silence any longer. "What's on your mind, JC?"

 

"Nothing. Just tired, I guess." He replied as he came out of his daydream.

 

"Are you sure all this silence doesn't have anything to do with me seeing Laura earlier?"

 

"No. I hadn't given it a second thought."

 

Joey rolled his eyes and sucked in his teeth, "Yeah...Right. All I have to do is say her name and I automatically have your attention. Rachel isn't here. You don't have to put up a front with me. I know you still care about her."

 

"I'm not putting up a front. I still care about her, and it would be nice to know how she’s doing, but that is as far as it goes."

 

Joey shrugged his shoulders and looked out the window as JC continued to drive them back to the hotel. As they were driving up the third level of the parking lot to find an empty spot, Joey found himself going back to the subject of Laura. "You really can sit there and say that you don't love her anymore?"

 

JC was quiet as he pulled into a spot and turned off the car. "How can you continue to love someone after they continuously lied to you for a year about only God knows what. I can't even fathom it after she hurt me the way she did."

 

"Lied?"

 

"She lied about knowing that Rachel was cheating on me with Jerry, she lied about not knowing who the baby's real father was, and she lied about a shitload of other things."

 

"Did she admit all this to you?"

 

"No. Rachel told me."

 

Joey let his head fall back as he looked up at the roof of the car. "You gotta be fuckin' kidding me. And you can seriously look me in the eyes and say you believe Rachel over Laura?"

 

Joey shook his head and looked towards his friend in disbelief, "In all the time that I have known Laura, I have never know her to blatantly lie...especially about something like that...She doesn't have a spiteful bone in her body, JC."

 

"Do you know how long I went without knowing my son, Joey? A whole year...You know why? Because Laura felt it was her duty to keep that from me. What type of human being would do that to someone else? If that isn't spiteful then I don't know what is, Joe."

 

JC got out of the car and walked to the back to get some things out of the trunk. Joey followed behind him. "You've never kept a secret for a friend?"

 

"That's not the type of secret that any person should keep. She was dealing with my life here." JC said loudly in his frustration.

 

"You remember that time that I went away for the weekend with Gina when the mother of my child was sitting at home waiting for me? Remember who kept that secret for me? You remember when your boy David got Nick's girl, Robin pregnant? Do you remember who drove her home from getting the problem taken care of? Do you remember at all who stood in Nick's face and told him that you bumped into her at a restaurant and saw that she wasn't feeling well and decided to bring her home?"

 

JC looked down as Joey was refreshing his memory. "I don't see how your situation is any distinct from those, JC. But I guess it's different when the roles are reversed and it's you that the secrets are being held from."

 

"I shouldn't have helped either of you."

 

"And she shouldn't have helped Rachel, but she did. You can't forgive her?"

 

"I can't trust her."

 

Joey balled his fists up and started punching at the empty space around him to keep from hitting his friend. "I told them that I would keep my mouth shut, but fuck this."

 

"Who is 'them'?"

 

"The guys! JC, you can't be this fucking dense! Have you lost your goddamn mind? I'm trying to be as understanding to your situation as I can be, but listening to you say some of the shit that you are saying is making me literally sick to my stomach, man!"

 

Joey went to speak and stopped himself. He mumbled under his breath and let out a deep sigh trying to calm down. JC looked around the parking lot to see if anyone was watching them.

 

"You sit on your soap box preaching about how Laura did this to you and how Laura did that to you, but never have I once heard you rant about any of this blame falling into Rachel's lap...Because let's face it, JC...Rachel is the one who lied, cheated on you and fucked Jerry behind your back, got pregnant, and didn't know who the daddy was. She most likely went to her best friend at the time and said 'I have something I need to tell you, but you have to promise you won't say anything to anyone about it...especially JC'." Joey started hitting his hand against the car to get his point across as he kept repeating, "Laura kept a promise. She kept her word to her best friend."

 

"I was supposed to be her best friend."

 

"And you were. I'm not applauding her for what she did. I'm simply trying to say that she is a woman of her word. In her own way, Laura must have felt that by telling you, it would not help the situation. You were really fucked up after everything that happened. The lawsuit, the cheating, the broken engagement, the tour. It was alot to deal with. You were at your wits end. I think if she would have told you that, it would have sent you over the edge, JC."

 

Joey placed his hand on JC’s shoulder but it was quickly shoved away. "Rachel has fucked you up big time, bro. Who can't you really trust? Why are you placing all this blame on Laura? Why are you back with a woman who had sex with another man, kept your son away from you for an entire year, and sabotaged your friendship with Laura? And don't give me that ‘I don't want to be a part-time father' bullshit. You’re scared."

 

A car pulled up beside them and Joey decided it was time to go and made his way over to the elevators. JC grabbed his bags and followed behind him. "What exactly am I scared of, Dr. Joe?"

 

"You are terrified of how happy you were with Laura. We could all see it. We didn't know the extent of your relationship at first, but it was obvious that she was the reason you had a smile on your face day in and day out. That flaming burst of inspiration when we were working. That extra passion in your voice when you sang...It's gone now. She loved you. Up until the very end, she loved the shit out of you, and you straight up dogged her. You took all your anger with Rachel out on the one person who stood by you..." Joey paused momentarily as they got into the empty elevator. "In the end you weren't that solid rock for her that she was for you..."

 

JC glared at Joey for using his own words from his acceptance speech against him. "I didn't take out all my anger on Laura."

 

"The hell you didn't. You still are. But I can see why...People only fight this way with the ones they love." Joey got off the elevator and started walking down the hall towards their rooms.

 

JC rolled his eyes and went to speak but Joey interrupted him as they reached his door. "Just take your head out of your ass long enough to see what is going on right in front of you, JC...You're my brother, and I love you. But Rachel has got you messed up."

 

"How so?"

 

Joey placed his hand on his friends shoulder and looked into his eyes and smiled, "You never used to be this much of a dumbass."

 

JC punched him in the arm and Joey braced himself while laughing. JC walked down a little further across the hall to his room. Joey called out to him. "In all seriousness...I apologize if I said anything disrespectful earlier. I just needed to get that off my chest. But no matter what you do, you know I'll always be here."

 

"I know, Joey. I love you too." JC snickered before going into his room."

Chapter 14 by DesperateThoughts

 "How was the show?" Rachel asked as she continued to leaf through her magazine.

 

"It was cool. I saw a few things that I want to get. Joey had a field day though. He was like a big kid in a toy store." JC said as he leaned down onto the bed and kissed Rachel lightly on the lips.

 

"See any people you knew there?"

 

"No, but we saw Laura before we got there-"

 

"What? Where?"

 

JC was puzzled by her reaction. "Well I didn't see her. Joey did."

 

"Oh. So you didn't see her?" Rachel was relieved.

 

"No. I just told you I didn’t see her." JC was growing very curious at her reaction.

 

Rachel decided to change the subject, "Jerry called."

 

"Oh yeah? What did he have to say?" JC asked.

 

Rachel could sense the attitude in his tone. "I don't know. I didn't speak to him. He had left a message downstairs. It's over on the coffee table in the other room."

 

JC realized he was being short with Rachel and tried to change his mannerism by playfully grabbing her ankles and lightly biting his way up to her knee. He then took off his shoes and jeans and walked into the other room to get the small envelope from the table. He grabbed his cell phone and started to dial.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hey. It's JC. I got your message. It said to call no matter what the time. What's up?"

 

"I need to talk to you about something extremely important. You remember that day you brought in those release forms I needed you to sign?"

 

"Yeah. Why? Did I miss one?"

 

"No. After you left I found some sheet music mixed in with it. I had a guy play it for me and the song & arrangements are incredible."

 

JC couldn't figure out what he was talking about. "What song?"

 

"It says 'How Do You Keep The Music Playing'"

 

"Oh no, Jerry. That shouldn't have been in there. It was something personal that I was working on."

 

"Well at the top it says submission for Michael Stewart. It also has both you and Laura's names on it."

 

"Yeah, but we decided to scrap the song."

 

"Well I sent it upstairs to the exec's and they love it."

 

"You did what? That song was not supposed to be submitted, Jerry. It's not even finished."

 

"I know. That’s why I’m calling. They want you to finish the song."

 

JC knew Laura didn't want that song to be used on the album.  "Please, Jerry. That song was not a submission. It was trashed and I decided to work on it behind Laura's back. She didn't want it on the album. I am trying to follow her wishes."

 

"Then you shouldn't have left it in my office. I just assumed that you wanted it added."

 

"You are so full of shit. You knew I left it there by accident. You know, I had almost forgot why I didn't like you, Jerry. But it’s all coming back to me now."

 

"It's business, JC. And since you are in this business you should know better than to leave music lying around my office. I'm giving you a big opportunity here. They want you to finish this song."

 

"And if I don't?"

 

"They will get someone else to finish it. But your reputation and your name are going to be all over this puppy. I would think that you would want to make sure that this is given extra special care."

 

"You have to give me a day to think about this." JC muttered.

 

"Fair enough. But...."

 

"But what?" JC asked rubbing his head trying to prevent the headache that was sure to ensue after their conversation.

 

"That's not the only reason I needed to speak with you."

 

"What are you leaving out?"

 

"They want you to perform the song."

 

"Oh come on now, Jerry! With what singer?"

 

Jerry was silent. JC couldn't tell if he had gotten disconnected or not. "Hello? Jerry?"

 

"Laura...They want you to perform the duet with Laura."

 

"Give me a hit off that crack you're smokin’, Jerry. There is no way in hell."

 

"Why not?"

 

"For one, she doesn't want the song released. And you already know the second reason."

 

"I'm sure if I sit down and talk to her, she’ll come around. When I called her earlier, she hung up on me. I need someone to help me persuade her to do it."

 

JC decided to use the conversation to his advantage. "Well, Joey bumped into her earlier today."

 

"Oh yeah?"

 

"Yeah. I didn't get a chance to see her, but Joey said she was on her way to the studio."

 

"You guys must have been over by Dam Recording Studio then. She lives right near there."

 

"She lives here!?"  JC fell back onto the couch trying to gather his thoughts.

 

Jerry got quiet. "You didn't know that? I thought you guys talked to her today?"

 

"Yeah, but I never said she told us she lived in the area. I just assumed she flew into town to work."

 

Jerry cursed to himself lowly, "She asked that I specifically keep that information to myself."

 

"Well now that you have, maybe I can get her to do the duet. Just gimme her number and I will see what I can do."

 

"No way. That will definitely screw up any of my chances of getting her to do this. I just can't, JC. I promised her."

 

"I won't tell her it was you who gave it to me."

 

"She'll find out. I can't jeopardize it."

 

"Fine then." JC said in defeat.

 

He was satisfied with knowing that she was in the same city. The two men briefly spoke for a few more minutes about how Nikky was doing before finally hanging up. JC sat on the couch and starred out the patio window towards the skyline. All he could hear was Joey's words playing back over and over again in his mind.

 

"Aren't you coming to bed?" Rachel asked as she stood in the doorway wearing only his t-shirt.

 

"I'll be there in a second. I just need to make one more call to Joey about something."

 

"Okay." Rachel said before going back to bed. JC grabbed his phone and called his friend.

 

When he got in bed Rachel rolled over to face him and lightly kissed him on the lips. She talked about her day briefly and started to rub JC's chest slowly working her way down. He stopped her just shy of his boxers and said, "I'm really tired tonight, baby."

 

"This is the third time you have done this to me, JC." Rachel whined.

 

"Well I'm sorry that my sexual appetite isn't as strong as yours. I'm sorry that I am too tired to give you something to help you fall asleep. I work my ass off almost everyday." JC fluffed up his pillow and turned his body to face the window.

 

Rachel was about to protest but instead sat back and thought quietly to herself.

Chapter 15 by DesperateThoughts

"Now explain to me again why we are back here."

 

"I want to ask the man inside about Laura." JC said as he parked along the curb and started to take off his seatbelt.

 

"Why?"

 

"I need to see her."

 

"Why?" Joey asked like a 5 year old.

 

"Because I just do." JC said as he got out of the car and walked inside the convenience store. The older man was sitting behind the counter reading a newspaper when JC walked up.

 

"How can I help you?"

 

"Well, I'm hoping you can. My friend came in yesterday and bought a few things from your store..."

 

"No refunds."

 

JC smiled, laughing lightly to himself.  "No, I'm not looking for a refund. I am looking for someone who came into your store yesterday." JC gave the man a description of Laura and then said, "My friend says you ran after her and called her by her name...Laura. Does she come in here often?"

 

"Are you a cop?"

 

"No. We're old friends. I was trying to catch up with her and see how she was doing."

 

"How do I know you aren't a cop?"

 

He tried bribing the man with money, but it was useless. JC stood there trying to think of how he could prove to the man that he was a friend. He smiled and reached back into his pocket and got his wallet. He dug down into a compartment and pulled out a small photo. It was an old picture of Rachel, JC and Laura. It was folded on the one side so that only JC and Laura were showing. JC had been carrying it around in his wallet. He handed it to the man and pointed out Laura next to him.

 

Two teenaged girls walked into the store and were chatting together in the candy isle. JC and the man were still going back and forth over whether or not he was really a friend of some crazy stalker. The two girls took double takes at JC and started whispering to each other.

 

"My name is JC Chasez. I am a musician. Sound familiar at all? That's the two of us out at a record label barbeque." he pointed out.

 

The man had him move to the side so he could care of the two girls. As he was ringing them up, they asked JC for his autograph. When they were slowly leaving the store the older man said, "How do I know you didn't pay those girls to come in here and ask you for your autograph? You could be anybody."

 

One of the girls ran up an isle and came back to the counter with a box of fruit snacks. She turned the box over and pointed out JC among 4 other guys on the cover. The older man looked at him and then back down at the box 5 times before he caved. "You swear that you are friends?"

 

"I swear, sir. I'm only trying to say hello to her. That's all. I was just curious if you knew where she lived or if she comes in here a lot so that I could possibly be here the next time."

The old man looked out the window and could see Joey outside speaking to the same two girls who had just been in the store. "You see that big building over there?"

 

JC looked out past his best friend across the street. "Yes. The one with the man standing by the door?"

 

"Yes....She lives over there." he nodded.

 

JC's eyes lit up.  "Thank you so much sir. What do I owe you?" JC asked as he took out his wallet to at least buy something in the store.

 

The man went over to the clear cabinet on the side and grabbed two Danishes and placed them in a bag and handed them to JC. He pushed JC's hand away signaling him not to give him anything.

 

"She gets one everyday. She hasn't come in yet today. You can take this over to her for me." The old man said.

 

JC thanked the man again and went to leave the store.

 

"Hey."

 

JC turned around.

 

"You must be a very special friend to go through all this trouble to find her. I just hope I'm right."

 

JC slightly smiled and walked out the door. He rushed to the edge of the sidewalk and looked both ways before crossing the busy city street. Joey wrapped up his conversation quickly and ran after JC. "Where are you going?"

 

"She lives in there." JC pointed out before rushing off towards the front door. Joey grabbed his arm and turned him around, "What are you about to do?"

 

"I'm about to go and see her." he replied matter-of-factly.

 

"Why the urgency, JC?"

 

"I don't know. Something is just pulling me in this direction. I just need to see her."

 

"What are you going to get out of this? Its not going to change anything. Why are you going to start some more shit with her? She left Florida, she has a new life here, she isn't chasing you down...Why don't you just leave her alone?"

 

"Because I can't. Either you are going to be here for me or not." JC started to walk up the steps.

 

Joey stopped in his tracks and said, "Then I'm not. I'm not going to help you with this one, JC. You're on your own."

 

JC threw up his hands and said, "Fine."

 

As JC walked into the building the first thing he saw was a very large marble desk sitting close to the elevators. He took a deep breath before walking over the counter. There was a very well dressed man standing behind the counter talking on the telephone. He whispered that he would be with him in a moment. JC couldn't help but wonder what the man's sexual preference was by the very feminine tone in his voice. Once the man hung up he asked, "Can I help you, sir?"

 

"I hope so. My name is-"

 

"I know who you are, Mr. Chasez. I'm a big fan." he smiled.

 

"Well thanks...I'm actually here looking to surprise a friend of mine. Ms. Laura Charles. Could you tell me what apartment she lives in?"

 

"Sorry I can't give out that kind of information, Sir."

 

"No way you can bend the rules a little?" JC asked.

 

There was no emotion in the clerks face when he bluntly stated, "No."

 

JC knew that this man wasn't going to budge, but he was going to try anyway. He started offering money, gifts, autographs, clothes, concert tickets, as well as free plane trips...Nothing seemed to be working. Just as JC was about to give up hope and go home Joey walked up to the counter and introduced himself to the clerk.  The clerks eyes immediately lit up as Joey continued to make small talk with him. JC walked over towards the front door and waiting for Joey to join him in his defeat. Two minutes later Joey walks over to him and whispers, "Ninth floor. Apartment 9102...You owe me big time."

 

JC put both his hands on the sides of Joey's face before planting a large kiss on his cheek and thanking him. The clerk at the desk smiled seductively at the two of them as he adjusted his tie. Joey looked towards his friend for help but JC was already on his way to the elevator.

 

Once on the ninth floor, JC couldn't pull himself out of the elevator. He felt as though his feet were nailed down to the floor. He started breathing deeply, giving himself a pep talk. As he walked down the hall, he rehearsed what he was going to say when she opened the door.

 

The gold plated numbers on the door were shining back at JC. He lifted his hand up to knock and stopped himself. "What the hell am I doing here?"

 

DING DONG

 

Laura grabbed a box and headed towards the living room. "I'm coming!" she yelled out.

 

She grabbed an invoice and placed it in the box and walked towards the door in hopes that it was the FedEx driver picking up a package she needed sent off. She left the chain on the door just to be sure. Standing behind the door as she slowly pulled it open just a tad the smile completely disappeared from her face as she asked, "What do you want, JC?"

Chapter 16 by DesperateThoughts

 

"Well I was just in town and wanted to drop by and say hello."

 

"How'd you find out where I lived?"

 

"I have my ways." JC said as he tried to look past the door at her.

 

"Did Jerry tell you?"

 

"No, no. He didn't me tell me anything. I asked around after Joey saw you in the shop across the street." He said trying to hand her the Danishes.

 

"You guys are like roaches. When I see one of you, I always know there are four more close behind somewhere."

 

"Are we going to keep talking between the door or are you going to invite me inside." he smiled dangling the bag of Danishes in front of her face.

 

"Well you just came to say hello. So hello, and goodbye."

 

Laura grabbed the pastries and went to shut the door but JC put his hand up, "Wait. Can I please come in? I really need to talk to you about something."

 

"About what?"

 

JC thought for a moment and then said, "The song...I need to explain this to you so that there are no misunderstandings later on."

 

Laura stood there and looked at him for a minute before shutting the door. JC stood on the other side waiting to hear the chain being removed, but instead he heard silence. A few moments later, his eyes lit up when he heard the chain and the door sliding open just a crack. He pushed the door slowly and looked around for Laura. He walked in and shut it behind him. He looked to his left and noticed two bar stools up against the other side of the kitchen counter. He saw Laura washing off some lettuce and tomatoes in the sink and went to sit down on a nearby stool. Laura moved up closer to the sink and continued to wash dishes.

 

"It's all my fault really. I dug it out of the trash that day...in the studio." JC hesitated as he thought back. "He accidentally got a hold of it when I went to take in my release forms for the video. I was working on it while I was waiting and I must have mixed it in with the forms by accident."

 

Laura rolled her eyes and continued to wash and separate the lettuce as JC tried to explain his side. He noticed that she seemed nervous.  Her hands were shaky as she started to cut veggies and she barely moved from the spot she was in. She just continued to cut and never responded to anything he said. The only thing that could be heard in the apartment was the knife as it hit the cutting board.

 

"Why are you so quiet? You'd be down my throat by now." he smiled.

 

Laura looked past JC and out the patio window. He turned around to see what she was looking at. When he looked back towards Laura, her back was turned to him and she was looking in the fridge.

 

"Will you please talk to me?"

 

Laura never turned around. JC got up from his chair and made his way around the counter into the kitchen. She turned her body sideways and started looking at the soda's that were sitting in the door of the refrigerator. He walked up behind her and begged, "Laura, say something...Anything. You're scaring me with this silence."

 

Laura slowly turned around and JC's face turned completely white. He took a few steps back and leaned against the counter to keep from falling to the floor. "You're...." He said as he starred down at her protruding abdomen.

 

"Pregnant?" Laura asked as she watched JC's reaction.

 

"Is it...Is it..."

 

Laura looked up towards the ceiling in shock as she let her jaw fall open in disbelief that he would even think to ask her such a question. She pushed past him and walked over the her front door and opened it. "I think it's time for you to go."

 

"Wait, wait, wait...I'm sorry. It's just." JC took deep breaths before finishing, "Why didn't you tell me?"

 

Laura slammed the door shut. "Well lets see..." she walked over to the couch and sat down. "I called you about ten times. I left messages for you and received no call back. I even resorted to sending you a letter, which was returned to me as refused...I got the point that you didn't want to have anything to do with me after that, JC."

 

"I doubt you ever called. I never received your messages."

 

"Well I figured the messages I gave to Rachel would have slipped through the cracks, but I never would have thought Laticia would disregard my calls...Unless you told her to!"

 

JC paced the room. He glanced over at Laura through the corner of his eye and he tried to make sense of it all.

 

"Can you please stop pacing? It's making me nauseous." Laura complained.

 

JC went and sat down on the couch next to her. Laura tried to wiggle over to the far end to get away from him. "How far along are you?"

 

"Just about 6 months now." Laura replied as she shifted a pillow that was behind her back.

 

JC rubbed his forehead, "Why didn't you call one of the guys to get in touch with me about this?" The more he thought about it, the more pissed he became. It felt like he was living out the past all over again.

 

"I wasn't going to chase you down. When my letter was returned 'refused' I took that as my cue to not bother you anymore. I didn't want anyone else involved. This is between you and me."

 

The anger inside him was bubbling to the surface, struggling to get out. "I've seen you more than three times in the past six months, Laura. You had plenty of opportunities to tell me!"

 

"I didn't have intentions of continuing the pregnancy." she blurted out.

 

JC whipped his head around to look her in the eye. "What?!"

 

"Did I stutter? I was trying to tell you that night at the Pussycat Dolls show. But when I heard Nikky calling for his 'Da Da', I didn't want to put you in a difficult position again. You were with your new family...You seemed happy. I didn't want that to change."

 

"So you figured you would run off and disappear out of sight forever while you raised that baby?"

 

"No...I wasn't going to have 'that baby.'" she mocked.

 

JC let his head fall into his hands. "An abortion? Wow...That says a lot about how much you cared for me."

 

"You know what...Let's not get into all that fuckin shit about how people feel. I'm sure to puke if you do." Laura got up from the couch and made her way over to the table to finish preparing the box for FedEx. "I don't want anything from you JC. I don't want to have anything to do with you from this point on."

 

"Well that's going to be impossible, Laura."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because that is my child you are carrying. We're going to have to deal with each other for at least the next 18 years."

 

"No. I don't want that."

 

"What about what he or she wants?" JC asked as he pointed to her belly.

 

"I'm sure the baby will agree with me that its not fair that they won't be the one who gets most of your time and affection. I'd rather not have you in his or her life at all, then just every other weekend. And judging by everything you have done since you found out Nikky was your son, I'm sure you'd agree with me. So all you have to do now is get up and walk out that door and never look back."

 

"Who are you?" JC asked in disbelief.

 

"The same person, I've always been." Laura said as she placed the box on the table near the front door. She walked back into the living room and started to fold a basket of clothes that had been sitting near the hallway to the bedrooms.

 

"I guess I am starting to see your true colors now. It was hard to see the real you through all that bullshit you were feeding me." JC commented.

 

Laura continued to fold clothes and sucked in her teeth at everything he was saying. But she did not fight back. JC walked over next to her and lowly talked into her ear, "I wonder if that was your plan the entire time. You and all your lies and deceit. You probably talked Rachel into going with Jerry."

 

Laura turned towards him and brought her hand up and smacked him across his face as hard as she could. The sound of her palm hitting his face seemed to echo throughout the apartment. "If turning me into the villain is what helps you sleep with her at night, then so be it."

 

"So you're not denying anything? Not going to deny that you lied to me...Just like you did a few months ago when I asked was there something I needed to know."

"I could stand here for hours and try to prove that I never lied to you. I didn't know Rachel was with Jerry until you came over to my house, shaking and sobbing when you caught them together. I didn't know she was seeing him again behind your back until you came and told me. I found out she was pregnant when Jerry blurted it out to you during an argument after court. She told me that she was pretty sure the baby was Jerry's. She begged me to keep it to myself, and I did...If you would have asked me, I most likely would have told you. But you never questioned it. And I was saved from having to see you hurt all over again." Laura threw the shirt that she had been folding back down into the basket and crossed her arms before looking up at him. "But I'm just wasting my breath here. You are going to believe what you want to believe. And I don't like being called a liar in my own home." Laura walked over to the front door and opened it for him. "Now, get the fuck out before I call security to remove you."

 

"Laura, we need to work this out. If not for us but for the baby." JC walked over to her and tried to touch her stomach. Laura pushed his hand away and looked out into the hallway so as not to make eye contact with him. Tears were falling down her cheeks.

 

"We have squash it all and think about this instead of our own problems." he pointed out as he touched the top of her stomach.

 

"I don't want you here. Just go, please." Laura begged as she finally looked up at him. JC reflexively placed his thumbs on her cheeks to wipe her tears.

 

"I want to be here. I wouldn't have went through all this trouble if I didn't. It's like something was pulling me here. And now I know why. We've gotta deal with this right now."

 

"I'm dealing with this everyday on my own. And that's how I want it from now on. You don't trust me. You think I'm full of shit all of a sudden. I don't want my child growing up discovering that daddy secretly hated mommy."

 

"I don't hate you."

 

"Then what do you feel, JC?"

 

"I care." JC tried to hug her. He got one arm around her and Laura momentarily let her head rest on his chest, before pushing him away. JC tried again to put his arms around her. But Laura started pushing him. "Please get out...Get out!" she started to raise her voice, but JC continued to try and console her. "Just get out!!" she yelled.

 

The woman across the hall opened her front door to see what was going on. JC knew that was his cue to leave before someone called security. "Okay. I'll go. But just know that this isn't the end."

 

As soon as JC stepped out the door, Laura slammed it in his face and screamed through the walls, "It never began, asshole!!!"

 

JC went to yell back at her through the door, but grew silent when her heard her loud sobs. He saw her shadow through the crack of the bottom of the door and noticed that she had slid down to the floor crying to herself. He touched the door and looked up towards the heavens and prayed that things would become more clear soon before heading back downstairs.

 

Laura sat on the floor and cried aloud. The woman across the hall lightly tapped on the door and asked if she were okay. She struggled to get up and opened the door slowly. She was just about to utter that she would be fine until she doubled over in pain holding her stomach. "No. I think there is something wrong."

Chapter 17 by DesperateThoughts

Laura doubled over in pain again. Her neighbor ran and called for an ambulance. The pain was excruciating. Laura held onto her stomach trying to relieve some of the pain, but it was too much to bear. It felt like knifes were being plunged into her gut. A loud blood curdling scream could be heard throughout the halls of the apartment complex. The neighbors next door came rushing out to see what was going on.

 

JC banged his fists against the steering column of the rental car and cursed to himself. "You fuckin' idiot!"

 

He took a deep breath and leaned his elbow against the window frame of the car and let his head fall into his hand before running his fingers through his hair to think. He then pounded his fist into the steering column again. This routine went on for about 3 more minutes until he finally started the car.

 

As he was pulling off he could see an ambulance far in the distance coming down the street. He missed the light and sat there waiting on it to turn green. He silently watched as the ambulance went through the light. He turned his head in curiosity to see where it was headed. He looked back at the light to see if it had turned green yet. He then looked into his rear view mirror and saw that the ambulance had pulled up the front doors of Laura's apartment complex.

 

"Oh shit..." he said to himself as he watched the two EMT's get out of the ambulance. One carrying bags to the back of the vehicle while the other pulled out a stretcher. He prayed to himself that they weren't going into her building, but when he saw the man from the front desk rushing outside to help them in, he knew he needed to find out what was going on.

 

JC ran through the light and made an illegal u-turn and raced back down the road towards Laura's building. He threw the car into park and raced to the front doors. He pressed the button on the elevator and waited impatiently. He noticed it was still going up. He crossed his fingers hoping that it wouldn't stop on the ninth floor. When it did, JC let his head fall back as he yelled, "Oh God. Please. No!"

 

He ran to the stairway and dashed up nine flights. He ran down the hallway to the crowd that had gathered in front of Laura's door. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up when he heard her screaming. He pushed his way through the small crowd of neighbors and tried to gain entry into the apartment to see about Laura. A security guard pushed him back.

 

"Laura!! Is she okay?"

 

"Please, sir. You are going to have to stand back." the guard insisted.

 

"What's going on? Laura!! That's my friend in there! Laura!" he yelled trying to again, push his way through past the guard.

 

An EMT asked the guard to make a path so they could get to the elevator. He had heard JC and said, "Sir, We are going to be taking her to the hospital. You can follow us there, but right now we need to get her out of here."

 

"Is the baby ok?"

 

"That's what we're tying to find out, Sir. Please stand back and make room for the stretcher." he announced to the JC as well as onlookers.

 

As they were wheeling Laura out into the hallway on the stretcher, JC noticed that she was holding onto her stomach and moving her head from side to side in pain. Her yells were muffled by the oxygen mask on her face, and tears were streaming down her face. JC walked along with the stretcher and tried to get Laura's attention.  "Laura? Sweetie, I'm right here. I'm right here."

 

Laura lifted her hand towards JC. He reflexively went to hold it, but was jolted when she pushed it away and waved her hand signaling him to leave. Stunned JC slowed down in his pursuit to keep up with the stretcher and watched as it disappeared into the elevator. He then took the stairs back down and followed the ambulance to the hospital.

 

JC's head was in his hands as he impatiently waited for some word from a doctor or nurse about Laura's condition. His eyes were blood shot from crying and his face was pale. He paced the room over and over again getting jumpy each time someone walked in.

 

Two hours had gone by and JC found himself laying on a couch watching the news. His eyes were heavy and he started to drift in and out of sleep.

 

"Mr. Chasez? Sir?"

 

JC opened his eyes quickly and noticed a nurse was lightly tapping him on the shoulder. He sat up and tried to adjust his eyes.

 

"Ms. Charles has been moved into a private room now."

 

"Is she okay?"

 

"Yes. She will be fine. She is still sedated from the medication, but you are welcome to see her."

 

"Is the baby okay?"

 

"You will have to speak to the doctor about that. Since you aren't in her immediate family, I don't know if he will give you that information, but when I spoke to her mother over the phone, she gave consent for you to be updated on her condition." she stated as she led the way to Laura's room.

 

The room was very dim and JC could hear sounds of various machines. One was a beeping noise that sounded off about every ten seconds. The other was a constant thumping sound.

"What's that noise?"

 

"Oh, that's just the baby's heart beat. They are monitoring it."

 

"Is it suppose to be that fast?"

 

"Yes. If it were slower, then we would be worried." the nurse replied as she checked the reading of a machine and wrote it down on a clipboard.

 

JC turned and looked past the curtains towards Laura. He stood at the end of her bed as the nurse pushed back the curtain to gain access to the other side of the bed. He lightly touched her foot which was covered by a thin off white blanket. Tears started to fill his eyes when he noticed the small oxygen tube under her nose and three different IV's in her arms along with various cords that disappeared under the blanket where her stomach was protruding out. He slowly walked up towards the head of the bed and placed his hand just over her belly. It took everything in his being to stop his hand from trembling before he lightly let it rest on her stomach.

 

JC looked towards Laura face and could see she was in a deep sleep. He moved a few strands of hair from her face and tucked them behind her ear before letting the back of his hand slide down her cheek.  "God, Laura...This is all my fault..." he sobbed.

 

"She is under a lot of medication so she might not wake up or respond."

 

JC was startled by the sudden presence of another nurse who had entered the room. JC moved a nearby chair up next to Laura's bed and sat down. He leaned forward and let his chin rest on the edge of the mattress as he looked up at her. He picked up her hand and entwined his fingers with hers. The nurse stood on the other side of the bed and took her blood pressure.

 

"Hey Donna. How is she doing?"

 

"Her blood pressure was a little high before. But it's at 130 over 80."

 

"Good. Good." the doctor said as he looked down at her chart. He looked up and could see JC sitting by her side. "You must be Mr. Chasez."

 

JC looked over at the doctor and wiped the tears from his eyes before getting up to shake his hand. "I'm doctor Phelps. My daughter has you plastered all over her walls at home."

 

"Nice to meet you. Is she going to be okay?" he asked as he looked back towards Laura.

 

"We're still waiting on some test results to come back. We don't know if the pain she is having is due simply to stress or if its Preeclampsia."

 

"What is Pre...clampsia?"

 

"Pre-eclampsia is an illness that occurs most often times during pregnancy or immediately after delivery and can affect the mother and the baby. It is quite common, affecting about one in every 10 pregnancies. Woman are at a high risk if it is their first pregnancy or if they are pregnant for the first time by a new partner."

 

"What is the cause of it?"

 

"There are differing opinions on the cause, so for the most part it's unknown. But when a woman has it, she develops problems in her circulation, which normally show up as high blood pressure, protein in her urine, swelling, and sharp abdominal pains. For most woman the illness remains mild. But in some cases it becomes serious and affects other parts of the body, such as the liver, brain, lungs or blood clotting system. It can get worse very quickly - and it can be dangerous."

 

"What could happen to her or the baby if she does in fact have that?"

 

"The baby may grow slowly or have other problems because he or she can't get enough food or oxygen from the placenta."

 

JC placed his hand on his head and the other on his hip and began to pace to room.

 

"Has Ms. Charles been having severe headaches? Rapid heartbeat? Dizziness? Excessive nausea? Ringing or buzzing on her ears? Things of that nature?"

 

"I really wouldn't know. I haven't seen her in a long time."

 

"I'm waiting on her doctor to return our page. I was hoping to get as much info as I could from you." the doctor said as he felt around her stomach and applied pressure in different areas. "Do you know if she has been under a lot of stress lately?"

 

JC watched him carefully and said, "Well, we're both in the same business. And it can get pretty stressful. She's always working, constantly on a deadline from one project to the next. She recently moved here from Florida."

 

"I'm hoping it's just a simple case of stress. The test results should be back in the next couple hours, so we'll know then."

 

"This is all my fault."

 

"Why do you say that?"

 

JC went and sat down on the chair, letting his head fall into his hands. "We argued right before she was brought here."

 

"What did you argue about?"

 

JC didn't want to tell him. "We used to be really close. But before she moved, we were no longer getting along. I was in town with my fiance and a friend of mine bumped into her. I wanted to see how she was doing. She wasn't happy to see me."

 

The doctor knew there was more to the story, but knew it wasn't his business to pry. "It's not your fault. You couldn't have known that this was going to happen. Let's just hope that all this is just a stressful reaction.  I can treat things like that, but Pre-eclampsia is something that really can't be helped."

 

With that, the doctor finished checking her chart and left JC and Laura alone. JC resumed his position in the chair next to her bed. He snaked his fingers lightly up and down her hand. "I'm just the biggest asshole known to man, Laura. I didn't mean for this to happen. I'm so sorry, baby."

 

A couple hours later, JC awoke to the sound of a new noise.  It wasn't like any of the other machines that had been beeping, but it was rather a buzzing with a tone that was not pleasing to the hear. He looked over and noticed Laura was still sleeping. A nurse came in and went straight to the machine that was causing all the noise.

 

"Is everything okay?"

 

"Yes, everything is fine. I just need to replace her fluids with a new bag. This one is almost empty."

 

JC's stomach was rumbling and growling. The nurse looked over at him and smiled. "You should go down the cafeteria and grab something to eat. She isn't going anywhere."

 

JC took her advice and ran down to the cafeteria to grab a cup of coffee and a muffin. When he was walking down the hall towards Laura's room, he could hear the nurse talking to another female.  "...He's been here since you were brought in. He's really worried."

 

As he rounded the corner he could see Laura sitting up and looking over at the nurse while she checked her blood pressure. He lightly knocked on the door to get her attention. She slightly turned her head to see who it was. The nurse smiled and looked back down at her watch.

 

JC walked into the room slowly and stood at the foot of Laura's bed and just starred at her nervously. She glared back at him before directing her attention back towards the nurse who asked, "Are you still having pains?"

 

"No. Right now it just feels like I have a cramp in my side."

 

"That's good. That feeling will go away over the next couple hours. I'm going to go and get Dr. Phelps so he can check you out. I should be back shortly."

 

Laura thanked her. She and JC were silent as they watched the nurse leave the room and close the door. Laura didn't speak. She turned over on her side with her back towards JC.

 

"I'm not going to stay." he said.  "The doctor said this may be a stress reaction and I'm sure my being here is causing just that. I just needed to know you were okay."

 

"Well we're fine, JC. You can go back to your family now."

 

"Laura..." JC wanted to argue but knew it wouldn't be any helpful to the situation. "I'm going to go. But when you are well enough we need to sit down and discuss what's going to happen after you have the baby. Because I want to be apart of his or her life. I swear to you that I had no idea that you called or wrote me about this. As God is my witness, I was not ignoring you Laura. I don't think I could, even if I tried…"  He waited for her to say something…Anything.  "...And I don't care if you believe me or not, but I really want to be apart of yours...I would love for us to be friends again. And I would hope you do too."

 

Laura didn't respond. She just looked towards the window. Tears were forming in her eyes.

 

"I better get going. Hopefully I will talk to you soon?"JC lingered for an answer but knew it was pointless. He started towards the door and suddenly stopped short of opening it. "You had asked me earlier why I showed up at your apartment the way I did...Well I lied about needing to talk to you about that song...The real reason I had to see you was because..." JC took a deep breath and looked back towards Laura whose back was still turned to him. With a quiver in his voice, he said "Somewhere along the way, I think you became home to me...And today I just felt a little homesick."

 

"Why does he always do this?!" she thought to herself.  "One minute he is a complete and utter asshole and then the next…" She wiped the tears away from her eyes and looked back to respond, but JC had already left the room.

Chapter 18 by DesperateThoughts

Mrs. Chasez waited patiently outside her son's front door. She could hear him speaking to someone on the phone and smiled at him when he opened it for her and motioned for her come inside.

 

"Well I really need to speak to Attorney Harper as soon as possible, so an appointment next week just won't do. Is there anything else any sooner than that? I don't care how early or how late it is."

 

Concern dawned across Karen's face as she watched her son walk into the living room with the phone stuck to his ear. She could hear the stress in his voice and watched him hang up the phone, throwing it down on the couch.

 

After taking a deep breath he looked over at his mother and said, "Hey."

 

"Everything okay? You guys don't have to go back into court again do you?"

 

"No. It's nothing like that."

 

"What is it then?" she asked as she took a seat on the couch.  She reached down and picked up Nikky who was on the floor playing with some toys and placed him on her lap. 

 

"Just when I think that things are getting better, they go and get ten times worse." JC looked over at his mother and noticed she seemed extremely worried. "Well, before I get into all that...How are you, Mom?"

 

The two of them sat and talked briefly about how the rest of the family was doing. Mrs. Chasez watched her son as he played with Nikki and still managed to keep his attention focused on what she was saying

.

Karen looked around the area and asked, "Where's Rachel?"

 

"Out and about with that new friend of hers."

 

"Oh. How was your trip to Chicago?"

 

"Very eye opening." JC mumbled as he pulled a toy car out of Nikki's mouth.

 

"And what exactly does that mean? You didn't have fun?"

 

"Well, me and Joe went over to that car show, which was pretty cool. Rachel was off doing her own thing...as usual. But the thing that sticks out the most was when Joey bumped into Laura."

 

"Laura?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Was she in town for the car show too?"

 

"No."

 

"Recording?" Karen was getting tired of guessing.

 

"No...She lives there."

 

Karen was shocked, "What?! Why Chicago?"

 

"I really don't know."

 

"Did you get to see her too?"

 

"Not initially...You know when you get a certain feeling in the pit of your stomach pushing you to do something?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Well, something was pushing me to see her."

 

His mother couldn't stand it when he danced around a conversation.  She just wanted him to tell her the entire story already, but he always had to add the dramatics.  "And I am assuming that you finally did?"

 

"Yea."

 

"And? What happened?"

 

"She's in the hospital."

 

"What?! Okay...Where did this story suddenly take a sharp turn? What happened? Is she okay?"

 

"When I left she was doing better."

 

"What was wrong?"

 

"Probably too much stress." He looked up at his mother and slowly said, "She's pregnant, Ma."

 

Karen's mouth dropped wide open. "Holy shit!"  she quickly covered her mouth remembering that the baby was still in the room.  "What are you going to do?" she whispered.

 

JC hardly heard his mother curse around him or anyone else for that matter.  It sounded so strange coming from her lips and he couldn't help but slightly grin.  He got up off the floor and started cleaning up,  "She doesn't want me around. I don't even think I want me around."

 

"I'm going to pretend that I didn't hear you say that. What does Rachel think about all this?"

 

"I haven't told her yet."

 

"Well that should've been the first thing you did. She is going to be your wife very soon. You can't keep secrets from her.  You should have learned that by now."

 

"I'm going to tell her. I just need to find out what my options are before we discuss this together...That's why the emergency meeting with my lawyer."

 

"Does anyone else know?"

 

"No. So please don't say anything just yet to dad or anyone else."

 

"I won't."

 

The three of them spent the rest of the afternoon together. Mrs. Chasez did her best to take her son's mind off of current events in his life before she headed back home. JC would have a meeting with his lawyer in a few days and she knew he was going to have to make a huge decision.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

"Get off my back, Jerry! I'm pulling into the parking lot now." JC said before flipping down the screen of his cell phone.

 

Once he was upstairs he scurried into Jerry's office.  "Why the hell are you so late?" Jerry asked.

 

"I had another appointment earlier. It was longer than expected."

 

"Well, have a seat." Jerry motioned as he sat down at his desk and leafed through some documents. "I spoke to Laura today."

 

"She's not coming to meeting?"

 

"No. She says she can't make it. Medical reasons or something." he shook his head.

 

"Oh."  JC pretended to not know anything.  Jerry was standing in the corner at his small machine, running off copies. "She faxed over a list of what she will and won't agree upon as far as this duet goes."

 

"Which is?"

 

Jerry handed him a copy of the hand written sheet. "All footage of full body shots must be edited to only show the shoulder up. Why? I don't know, but whatever..." Jerry continued to read through the list. " She also states that she will only be spending a week here to get all this done. Recording, editing, production, video, taped interviews, etc. No outside press or photographers. Just our in house people. She wrote down a few names for us as well."

 

"And you're agreeing to her terms?" JC asked in disbelief.

 

"Yes. The big boys upstairs have approved it. They wanted it like yesterday. We're trying to play off of your popularity in the media right now. With all the rumors back and forth about what is going on behind the scenes, we thought this duet enhanced CD footage would sell like hot cakes."

 

"Anything to make money." he said as he shook his head.

 

"Yep. And you are on the 'make check payable to' list, so don't act all self righteous with me, JC." Jerry rolled his eyes.

 

Rather than start an argument with Jerry, JC decided to move on, "When do we start recording?"

 

"Next week."

 

"Seriously?"

 

"Yeah. She says she needs to get all this done before she starts a new project. She wouldn't give details, but the sooner the better is fine with us."

 

JC thought about Laura's pregnancy and how people might react.  "Wow. I would have thought she'd wait till..."

 

"Wait till when?"  Jerry asked.

 

"Nothing."

 

"Well call me with the actual date that we will be in the studio and I'll be there."

 

"Great."

 

Once the meeting was over JC headed home. The house was pretty quiet. He called out to Rachel, but there was no answer. As he closed the fridge he noticed the usual sheet of paper with messages on it. He went to sit down at the table with the newspaper and was startled by someone walking in through his back door.

 

"I didn't mean to startle you, JC."

 

"It's ok, Laticia."

 

Laticia leaned down under the sink and placed the bucket and gloves back in their place.  "I just finished cleaning off the back patio area. Is there anything else you need done before I head out for the day?"

 

"Nope. Thanks though."

 

"No problem. I'll see ya tomorrow." she said before heading out of the kitchen to leave. JC looked over at messages on the fridge and a light went off in his head. "Hey Laticia?" he called after her.

 

"Yes?"

 

"Do you remember ever taking messages from Laura awhile back?"

 

"Yes. That was months ago though. There were quite a few. I posted them on the refrigerator like I usually do. Laura seemed urgent to speak with you and I even asked Rachel if you had received them and she said you did. Is there something wrong?"

 

"Oh, no no no. It's okay. I was just double checking something. That's all I wanted to know. I'll see ya tomorrow."

 

"Okay."

 

JC had never remembered getting any messages off the fridge during that time. He didn't even recall seeing any messages posted there."

 

When Rachel returned home a few hours later, she struggled with the door. She had Nikki in one arm. His diaper bags in another. As well as five large clothing store bags. She looked around and noticed the house was quiet, but had seen JC's car was in the driveway. She called out to him, but there was no answer. She figured he must have went out with one of the guys. She got Nikki ready for bed and put him down for bed and decided to take a hot bath before settling in for the night. When she reached the bedroom she saw JC lying across the bed, seemingly fast asleep. She smiled at her fiance and just basked in how peaceful he looked, before heading towards the bathroom to run her bath water.

 

"We need to talk." JC spoke clearly.

 

"Jesus! I thought you were asleep." Rachel yelled in surprise. "What do we need to talk about?"

 

"Sit down." he said as he lifted his body up off the mattress to face her.

 

She sat next to him on the bed and started rubbing his thigh. "What's up, babe?"

 

JC removed her hand and looked her straight in the eye.  Her pulse was racing with fear. 

 

"A few months ago, Laura called here and left me a few messages. You know anything about that?"

Chapter 19 by DesperateThoughts

Rachel tried to come up with something fast. "Yeah. I remember her calling."

 

"Why didn't you give me the messages? Laticia even posted them on the fridge for me. I would have remembered getting a message from her."

 

"Well, with everything that was going on, I didn't want you strung out even more. She was just rude when she called here. I didn't want her to cause any more problems between us. Why? Did she call again?"

 

"No. When we were in Chicago, I went to see her the afternoon you went to that movie premiere and after-party."

 

"Why didn't you tell me?"  Rachel asked loudly.

 

"I didn't want to ruin the trip."

 

"So what happened?"

 

"We argued. She kicked me out."

 

"Was there anything different about her?"

 

JC was very curious as to why she asked that particular question.  "Why do you ask?"

 

"Just curious to find out if she has changed at all. Or is she just the same old Laura we both know?"

 

"She's pregnant."

 

"You've got to be kidding me! By who?"

 

"Me."

 

Rachel pretended to act upset. "So you've been seeing her behind my back? You wanted to make us even or something? How could you do something like that?!"

 

"Okay, stop the dramatics, Rachel. She is 6 months pregnant. This happened a long time ago, before you and I got back together."

 

"I've been living with you for longer than 6 months, JC!"

 

"So? We weren't dating, and we definitely weren't sleeping together. Let's not go back and forth on this. The point is, she is pregnant. And I don't doubt that the baby is mine."

 

"But you doubted me."

 

"I didn't say that."

 

"Yeah...You didn't have to." Rachel got up and walked out of the room towards the kitchen. JC got up and followed after her.

 

"She says she sent me a letter after all her calls went unanswered. You remember a letter coming here from her?"

 

Rachel didn't know whether to lie or tell the truth. "Hmmm...I don't know. I have seen a few letters that come in here from unknown addresses. I assume that they are fans who somehow got our home address. I just write 'RTS' and throw it back in the mail. You don't want a billion letters coming here from God knows who do you? I may have accidentally sent hers back without looking."

 

JC had a feeling she was lying, but her story did make sense. "Why did you give me any of her messages? Why did the fridge notes that I get from Laticia suddenly disappear anytime her name was on them?"

 

Rachel sat down at the table and looked down into her glass before making eye contact with him. "To be honest, I didn't want her disrupting our lives. The project was over. Your divorce was final. What more did the two of you have to discuss? She would not say over the phone, and I wasn't about to let her turn our lives upside down again."

 

"I see."

 

"That's the honest to God truth, JC."

 

And it was. When Laura was calling, Rachel had no idea what she wanted until she heard about the pregnancy rumor on television. By then, the calls had stopped.

 

Still only half-way believing her story, JC sat down and explained most of what happened the night he went to see her.

 

"So what do you plan on doing?" Rachel asked nervously.

 

"I don't know. I wanted us to make this decision together...As a couple. This will affect both of us. Not just me."

 

"Well, whatever decision you make, I will stick by you. If you want full custody then we'll fight for it. If you want visitations rights then we'll go for it. It's up to you."

 

JC leaned over and kissed Rachel and headed down into his studio. Rachel wanted the kiss to progress into a long night of endless love making, but knew JC had a lot on his mind. And when that happened, he needed to go and vanish into his music for awhile. Rachel retreated to the bedroom and let the water out of the tub. She was too stressed out to relax. She had to come up with a new plan of action to secure her future.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Sitting in Johnny's office with Lance, Joey, Justin and Chris, JC was finishing up some loose ends. They were preparing to do a show at the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa for an upcoming tv broadcast. Johnny had everyone come in to go over set lists and costumes for the event. Johnny's daughter, Marissa had come and tapped on the door, poking her head into the room. "Josh, Rachel is on the phone. She wants to talk to you."

 

He took the phone from her hand and brought it to his ear.  "Hey, JC…I hope I'm not disturbing you."

 

He had been having such a long week with meetings and choreographers that she was a pleasant change to the pace...Especially since it was going to start all over again in a matter of two days. "No. You know you could never disturb me." He smiled before getting up to go out into the hallway for privacy. The guys just rolled their eyes at him. Chris simulated a strangulation on himself to mock how sick JC and Rachel's relationship made him. JC gave him the middle finger before lightly shutting the door.

 

"Well I was thinking that we could spend a quiet night home alone. Just relaxing and taking it easy. Your mom already took Nikki for the night."

 

"That sounds like a wonderful idea."

 

"And maybe I'll give you one of my special massages." she teases.

 

Rachel heard him take a short breath before answering, "Mmmm that sounds like a wonderful idea. I really am very tense." he said with a hint of sexual playfulness in his voice.

 

"I'm going to leave here in a the next 20 minutes."

 

She spoke seductively into the phone, "I'll have a nice warm bath waiting for you."

 

"Good. I'll be fresh and clean for my massage."

 

After hanging up, JC found it difficult to concentrate on his work thinking about Rachel stroking his body later on that evening.

 

Rachel stood in the kitchen smiling to herself. She came out of her gaze and scurried to make the preparations. Finding some candles and incense, she arrange them around the room. The sweet smell of incense fills the room as she lay a sheet over the bed. She put soft romantic music on the CD player. She place the massage oil on the nightstand. Looking around the room, she could see that everything was ready. Now all she needed to do was wait for JC to come home.

 

Rick called and they talked about how each was doing. They got into a brief argument about why he never told her Laura was pregnant earlier. Rick scolded his sister on her cheap tactics to seduce JC and keep his mind on her as opposed to Laura, who would be in town in 48 hours. He laughed and told her that she must know that her relationship isn't as stable as she claimed or she wouldn't be resorting to such maneuvers.

 

After hanging up with her brother she prepared some margaritas and brought the pitcher and glasses back into the bedroom. She listened to the music, sipping a margarita and smelling the sweet fragrances of the incense, while watching the light from the candles dance on the walls and ceiling.

 

She heard the door open and the sounds of JC's footsteps as he put his things away. "Anybody home?" he called out.

 

"I'm in here, baby!" She could hear his footsteps approaching the bedroom. "Well you've certainly been a busy girl, haven't you?" he asked as he looked around at the decorated room.

 

"I wanted to have everything ready for you since I know you've had such a tough week." she said smiling, then standing to walk over to him.

 

Rachel gave him a soft kiss on the lips with her tongue tracing the outlines of his lips...Her arms pulling him against her. His arms encircled her body, pulling her body hard against his. Their bodies molded together. Their kiss deepened. His hands slid up and down her sides before resting on her hips. She let her hands slid through his hair and then her tongue slipped gently into her mouth. His tongue responded, pushing outward and softly touching her tongue. His tongue swirled around hers, touching the tip and underneath...then pushing more urgently further into her mouth.

 

Pulling her lips away, his tongue gently licked at hers before their lips met again. She loved the feeling of his sweet butterfly kisses against her lips. He slid his hands to her ass and pulled her body taut against his. Feeling her hips move slightly in a slow rotating motion, her breasts touching, pushing against his chest, made his cock twitch with desire. Their kiss ended, leaving them both slightly gasping for air. They continue to kiss each other's cheeks, neck, their bodies pushing against each other.

 

"It's time for your bath. I want you nice and clean" Rachel whisper.

 

"What about you? Are her going to share this bath with me?" her ask.

 

"I'll be there in a minute. You go ahead and soak for a few minutes. Take a margarita into the bath with you. It will help you unwind." she responded.

 

"Don't be too long," he said.

 

"Oh, I won't be." she smiled before leaving the room. Rachel checked to make sure everything was in place. Satisfied, she stripped off her clothes and walked into the bathroom. Rachel watched JC lying there in the tub, surrounded by thousands of tiny bubbles. His head resting on the edge, eyes closed, letting the hot water soak into his pores with the half-full margarita glass resting on the edge of the tub. His open with the sounds of her entering the room. Looking her up and down, smiling, "Rachel bring that beautiful body in here so I can help you get all sparkling clean too."

 

Slipping into the water facing him, Rachel felt a shiver run up her spine as the warm water covered her body. They both sat sipping margaritas, letting the feel of the warm water refresh them. JC moved her closer to him, pulling her legs over his thighs, wrapping her legs around his back. "It's time to get you clean all over." JC said as his hands reached out and began roaming over her sud covered breasts.

 

The soap bubbles slid through his fingers as JC rub gently in small circles over and under each breast. "Mmmm that feels good" she mutter.

 

 JC applied a little more pressure as he squeezed them softly. Taking the nipples between his fingers, JC lightly pinch them bringing another moan from her lips. His cock twitched and hardened from the thought of playing with her nipples and breasts. Her hips move slightly, letting his cock rest against her mound. The feeling of her hips slowly undulating on his cock sends more shivers up and down his body.

 

"And what do we have here?" she asked putting her hand below the water and grasping his hard member.

 

"Ohhh" JC moaned, closing his eyes and feeling the sensations from her fingers. "That is my hard cock and he is all yours to do with as you wish" JC whisper.

 

Smiling into his eyes with a devilish grin, she slowly stroked his cock, getting it harder and said, "I know a place where he will be safe and warm".

 

Her words brought another groan from his lips as her hand moved up and down his cock, driving him crazy.

 

"I think I know where that place is" JC responded dipping his hand below the surface and touching her pussy. JC slid his fingers up and down her opening made slick by the water and soap. When he slipped a finger inside, her moans of passion filled the room. JC pushed it in deeper and felt her muscles squeeze around his finger. Her hand squeezed his cock tighter, the deeper JC ventured into her. Their heavy moans mixed together as they pleasured each other.

 

"I want to fuck you, Rachel." JC whisper hoarsely as his finger moved in and out of her cunt. His thumb rested on her clit as his fingers moved slowly in and out. He applied a gentle amount of pressure to her hard nub and felt her body push harder against his hand. His other hand slowly twisted and pulled on her erect nipple. As JC pulled out, he slid his finger to her clit, replacing his thumb and slowly rubbed small circles around it. "Mmmm ohhh...that feels so good."

 

His hand moved from her clit as he grabbed the side of the tub. Her hand pulled his cock against her pussy and JC could feel her rubbing the head up and down the length of it. He sighed as he let the hot sensations course through his body. Rachel devilishly grinned at him as she put the head of his cock again her opening and pushed downward to draw it inside. He wiggled his hips pushing it against her opening until he felt it slide inside.

 

Their loud groans of pleasure filled the room as his hips pushed down driving his cock deeper and deeper into her pussy. The warm sensation of his cock buried deep inside her filled his brain. Grabbing her by the ass JC pulled Rachel's body closer to his as they settled into a nice rhythm. JC put his head between her breasts and kissed her wet slippery skin. She threw her head backwards feeling his cock buried to the hilt inside her.  Her thighs tightened around his waste, holding on as she slowly and deliberately rose and fell on his cock. The water in the tub rises and falls with each thrust. JC kissed his way up her neck and chin until his lips kissed hers. Their tongues sparing with each other, licking, tasting, wanting. JC captured her tongue with his lips and sucked on it.

 

Grabbing onto the back of his neck, she rode his cock, lifting up until it was just inside her pussy and then accelerating downward until it was deep within her, and finally wiggling her ass in a circular motion to make the feeling even more intense for the both of them. Her breasts crush against his chest, her hard nipples scrapping against his skin, her pussy moving up and down and then rotating on his shaft. JC felt his cock begin to throb when her muscles contracted, trying to suck his juices out. "Ohhh fuck baby, ride me harder" JC called out.

 

Her body responded and her thrusts quickened, making some of the water in the tub spill over onto the floor. JC felt her hold tighten around his neck with each thrust of her hips, pulling him tighter against her breasts as she rubbed her body against his. His moans increased.  Wiith each thrust on his cock, it began to throb uncontrollably. "Ohhh baby I'm cumming" JC shouted thrusting harder.

 

"Cum baby cum. Cum inside me." she yelled pushing down harder and then speeding up her motions.

 

The sensations became unbearable as they continue fucking each other with abandon. JC yelled out as he began to cum inside her, feeling her muscles tightening around him, milking it from him. "Ahhh fuck baby I'm cumming ... fuck..." he yelled as her orgasm hit with full force.

 

Her hips drove up and down harder and faster, racing to the finish of his climax. Their breathing quickened as their desire is finally released.  Their bodies continued to grind against each other as their orgasms began to subside. Slowly they came back to reality and lay back in the warm water looking at each other with contentment. They slip what is remaining of their margaritas and then after a few minutes of soaking, JC informs her that it's time for his massage. "Mmmm I hope I can do it as much justice as what just happened here." she joked.

 

"Why don't we go and find out." JC respond as he put out his hand to help her out of the tub.

 

As they reached the bed, JC agreed to give her a massage first and then she could work her magic on him. As he started to warm up the oils in his hands the phone began to ring. They both rolled their eyes and decided to ignore it. But after 7 rings, enough was enough.

 

"Hello?" JC answered with frustration in his tone. "….Oh. Hi. Are you okay? Hold on." JC covered the mouth piece of the phone and whispered to Rachel, "Cassandra is on the phone. She sounds upset."

 

Rachel let out a long sigh before taking the phone from him. "Cassandra? What's up?"

Rachel could hear her crying as she started to speak.

 

"My boss came in with a million questions for me today. Your case in particular seemed to come up a great deal. Someone close to you is snooping around for information. You better nip it in the bud before I do." Cassandra swiftly said before hanging up.

Chapter 20 by DesperateThoughts

JC arrived bright and early at the studio Monday morning. When he walked in, he could hear laughter coming from down the hallway.

 

"Ha, Ha! That's when he told her to kiss his crusty ass, Jimmy!"

 

JC turned the corner and was surprised too see an unusually happy, Laura Charles, sitting on a swivel chair in front of the mixing board. "Hello everyone." he said looking straight at her.

 

"Hey, JC." Laura grinned uncontrollably.

 

JC turned around and looked back and out the door to make sure she wasn't grinning at someone else. "Am I in the wrong place?" he questioned.

 

"My sediments exactly," a voice called out from behind the left side of the room. JC looked over and noticed Hallie sitting on the couch eating a pretzel.

 

"Hi, Hallie."

 

"MmmHmmm." she nodded.

 

"How are you?" he asked, focusing on her stomach.

 

"We're fine...Anxious to get to work so we can go back home and relax." she smiled rubbing her stomach.

 

"We're going to get started as soon as Jerry gets here to drop off a few things. Let me go and double check on something so that there aren't any hold ups when we're ready."

 

After Jim left, JC looked toward Laura again and said, "Not that I'm not ecstatic to you in good spirits, but why the sudden change of attitude towards me?"

 

"Hormones." Hallie interjected. "One minute she's an angel, then the next...Lucifer."

 

"Oh hush, Hal." Laura laughed.

 

JC sat down next to her and started adjusting audio levels.

 

"Ahhh! Shit!" Laura winced in pain. JC and Hallie rushed towards her. "What's wrong?" they both called out in unison.

 

Laura put both her hands up to shield herself, "Damn, you guys. The baby is only kicking. See." Laura took JC's hand and placed it on her stomach. He couldn't feel anything at first, but moved his hand back quickly when he felt something poke at his palm. He watched the two women laugh at his jolt backwards and made his way back over to feel the baby kicking again.  "God, this is amazing." he smiled.

 

Laura watched how happy he looked as he felt his child pushing his or her feet up against her abdomen. The pain didn't seem so strong once she saw the joy on her ex's face. He looked up at her and she could see his eyes were glistening more than they usually did. 'Is he about to cry?' she thought to herself. As she opened her mouth to speak, Jerry walked in, "Okay ladies and gents. Let's get to wor....kkkk..." Jerry stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Laura's stomach. He was speechless. He looked down at JC who's hand was still in place over her gut.  "Whoa!"

 

"Hey Jerry. How the hell are ya?" Laura gleamed.

 

"The better question would be how the hell are you, Laura?"  he smiled, leaning down to give her a hug.

 

"I'm doing good."

 

"JC didn't tell me that you were...With child. I would have postponed this whole thing for a later date..."

 

"Well it wasn't really his place to tell you anything." she said as she used JC's shoulder as a brace to get up from the chair.  JC wanted to protest but felt Laura arm dig into his shoulder even more.

 

Jerry looked over at JC and said, "Well, I just assumed that-"

 

"Well you assumed wrong." Laura interrupted.

 

Jim could feel the tension beginning to build in the room and decided to step in, "Okay people, let's get to work. I'm only blessed with Laura's presence for a short time today and I need to get as much as possible from her before she jets out of here. Jerry handed Jim some documents as well as a box. His cell phone rang and he answered it. As he was talking to his secretary he leaned down and hugged Laura lightly, "Congratulations, Sweetie. You're going to be an incredible mother."

 

Laura smiled and kissed his cheek and said thank you.

 

"The camera crew are here and right down the hall, so they should be in here momentarily. I've given them strict instructions, so there's nothing to worry about. I get all the tapes when they are finished and I will be overseeing all the editing."

 

JC and Laura nodded to him and yelled goodbye as he headed out the door. He lingered in the hall and watched the two of them before grabbing his phone and making some important calls.

 

"Okay, today is mostly a brainstorming session of sorts. Hopefully we will be able to lay down the first track, but I don't want to push things. Especially since the song isn't complete. I wanted to give the two of you time to bounce ideas off each other as far as the lyrics go. I need to sit over here and play around with these melodies to perfect what we already have so far.

 

It was just like old times. JC and Laura dove straight into work. Hallie sat back and watched the two of them. When they were working together, it seemed as though nothing could come between them. It was all about the music for them. If only they could feel that way about each other again.

 

"…Hmmm...Where did I leave off at?" Laura asked herself out loud.

 

She then started humming the melody and softly sang to herself, "...And tell me how year after year, your sure your heart will fall apart...Each time you hearrrr his name..."

 

JC eased in, singing the chorus that he had written for the song. Laura smiled to herself as she read along.  "I knowwww, the way I feel for you...It's now or never. The more I love the more that I'm afraid. That in your eyes, I may not see forever..."

 

JC looked towards her as they both sang "Forever."

 

Laura nodded with a smile of recognition. She hadn't worked on the song in so long it had almost seemed foreign to her when they were initially going over everything, but the memories were all coming back to her like an overflowing sink.

 

JC leaned over and pointed out where he had started to complete the song. "If we can be the best of lovers. Yet be the best of friends. If we can try with everyday to make it better...as it grows. With any luck then I suppose...The Music...Never ends." he sang softly.

 

Laura found herself in that all too familiar state of euphoria she felt anytime she was with him. She'd find herself having to shake out of a daze when he would look over to ask her something...Even after everything that had happened, the man still had a hold on her heart so strong that if he were to ask her right then and there to come back, she wouldn't think twice. Before the week was through, she would find the offer more appealing with each day. 

 

She was very self conscious when the crew came in to tape. She didn't want them to catch anything that would reveal her thoughts and feelings towards JC, but with her hormones taking her on an emotional roller coaster every other day, she couldn't help herself.

 

At the end of the day when they were walking through the parking lot to leave, JC pulled Laura to the side to talk to her. Knowing that leaving them alone together would only stir up more trouble, Hallie did everything she could to be a thorn in his side.  But she saw that look in Laura's eyes and knew it was no use.  She stormed off and went to get the car instead.

 

With her arm draped under his, she walked with him over to his car. He unhooked their arms and leaned back against his car before taking both her hands in his and saying, "I don't want to bring this whole creative mode that we have going here, to an end with bad vibes, or arguments. I just want to get an idea of when we'll be able to talk more about the baby and what's going to happen when he or she is born."

 

Laura could see the deep concern in his eyes and placed her hand on his cheek lightly, while moving his other hand to her stomach. "If you want to be apart of the baby's life when its born, then great. I just don't want her to grow up with broken promises of you coming to visit, or feeling left out because she might not be as close to you as Nikki...since he lives with you. For right now, I just want to focus on getting this recording stuff out of the way. Once that is done, then we'll sit down and talk about future plans as far as this baby is concerned."

 

"Her? She?"

 

Laura noticed the gleam in his eyes and had to clarify. "No." She smiled. "Just wishful thinking on my part."

 

JC brushed Laura's hair out of her face and let his hand fall slightly behind her ear as he moved her hair away from her earrings.  Instead of protesting or moving away, Laura closed her eyes and lingered in his touch.  "You have this glow this about you.' he smiled.

 

"Yeah?" she asked, opening her eyes slightly as she looked towards him.

 

"Yeah." he said as he stood up straight, bringing his lips inches away from hers.  "You seem really happy."

 

"I am." she smiled looking up into his eyes.  "I've come to realize that even if I can't have you." she looked down and adjusted his necklace so that it was straight. "I'll always have a part of you with me."

 

Hallie pulled up behind JC's car and beeped the horn just as JC was leaning his head down towards Laura's face.  They both looked up, startled.  Hallie motioned for Laura to come on.

 

"You gotta get rid of your guard dog"  JC smiled.

 

"No way…She keeps me outta trouble." Laura chuckled.

 

As she moved to walk to the car, JC grabbed her hand and pulled her back over towards him.  "I'm serious about what I said earlier…"  He placed his hands on both sides of her belly once more and said, "Please don't push me out of our baby's life."

 

She looked up at him and said, "I'm just trying to look out for the baby's best interest here, JC. I'm not trying to be spiteful, hateful or conniving. No matter what you may think, I don't have that capability." She slowly removed his hand away from her stomach and patted it gently before turning around to walk away. "...Although, at times, I wish I did."

 

Midway, Laura turned around to finish her thought, but was startled again by the car horn. Hallie put both her hands up to her friend. Laura glared at Hallie and made her way around to the passenger side of the car.

 

"Why?" he called after her.

 

Laura opened up the passenger side door and looked over the top of the door and said. "Because if I did...I wouldn't have such a hard time not loving you."

 

JC stood there momentarily stunned by her words. He watched as she got into the car and dashed over to the car and asked, "Where are you staying?"

 

Laura didn't want the week to be ruined by surprise visits, so she decided to give an answer that wouldn't be too revealing. "I'm staying with friends."

 

Hallie wasn't going to let them hold up the rest of her afternoon. She threw the car into gear and darted down the street. It was then and only then that JC noticed the car they were in looked very similar to one that Justin owned.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"I was about to hurl from watching how she was acting towards him, Justin. For the past three days that we've been here, they've been acting as though nothing had happened...All buddy, buddy again and shit. It was sickening!" Hallie vented.

 

Justin just laid silently on the couch listening to her. He and Laura were both opposite one another on the long beige leather sofa. Justin was rubbing her ankles and feet while she read US Weekly. Her ankles had been swelling up pretty badly and the only thing that seemed to help were foot and ankle rubs.

 

"...And JC is sitting there grinning from ear to ear, like the dumbass he is."

 

"Hey!" Justin scolded.

 

"I know he's your boy and all, but he's got some serious issues. You know it. You just don't want to admit it." Hallie teased as she flipped through the channels.

 

Justin was about to speak when Laura started to talk, "I'm just trying to make good out of a bad situation. We have to work together till this song is fully recorded and edited to its fullest potential. It's a beautiful song and I don't want to go into the studio and have it turn to shit because I can't get along with...with..."

 

"Just your baby daddy?" Hallie sang.

 

Justin couldn't help but snicker.

 

"Well yeah...That too. Just because I am not reacting in the way that you want me to doesn't mean that I don't feel a certain way about this entire situation. And since he is the father of my unborn child, I have to find some way to get along with him."

 

"I don't think that Hallie wants you to go around starting arguments or proclaiming that you will never speak to him again. I think she-"

 

"No. That's exactly what I want." Hallie interrupted.  "Why should she be all friendly with him? Pretending like he didn't break her heart, by dropping her for Rachel's slutty ass? He needs to know how it feels."

 

"I'm not trying to stick up for JC for what he did, nor am I trying to bash him either. I personally think that's this has been a lot for any one person to handle. He's confused. He's got this woman who he has dated for..." Justin tried to count in his head. "…Four Years...She cheats on him with his mortal enemy, begs him to forgive her while she is still slapping the skins with Jerry, then she runs off and marries the asshole and has a baby. That fucked him up royally. Then there was you." Justin looked toward Laura who wasn't really listening to either of them. She had heard the story before. "This angel who had come to save him from all that. Counseling him through his depression, pushing him to get on with his life...Then out of nowhere you guys are together? To compare years of love-"

 

Hallie was about to protest but Justin put his hand up to her, "Yes I do believe they both truly loved each other up till the last 6 months of the relationship...To compare years of a lasting relationship to Laura's...It wasn't even a year was it?" Justin looked to her for an answer but Laura didn't respond. "Especially when you take into consideration that the two of them were so secretive about it...Like it was only about the sex. Someone to warm the sheets at night. You mix Nikolas into it and I could see why he chose the path he did. Was it the right path? I don't think it was, but I am not in his shoes."

 

Laura nodded in agreement. Hallie rolled her eyes. Justin could see he wasn't winning any points. "Yo, seriously. I hate that bitch. That I agree with you on 100 percent. I think Rachel is low, manipulative, and deceitful. But I don't got to live with her. If Nikky wasn't in the equation, I don't think we'd be having this discussion. JC is a family man. Always has been. Always will be."

 

Hallie threw her hands up in the air and said, "Well what about Laura and her baby? They aren't family to him?"

 

"He made a choice before she was even pregnant. What's done is done. All we can do is live with it." Justin spat back.

 

Laura could see the two of them getting frustrated with one another and decided to jump in. "I'm very lucky to have a friend who would fight for me the way you do, Hal. But you just have to understand that it's not about how I feel anymore. I have to look out for this baby. And fighting with JC or deciding to never see or speak to him again would only harm our child. I don't want my child growing up, thinking that mommy hates daddy or vice versa."

 

Their debate was shortly interrupted by a call from Joey to Justin. He took the phone into the other room, while Hallie and Laura started up a movie. Minutes later, Justin walked back into the room with a worried look on his face.

 

"Something wrong?" Laura asked.

 

"Depends...JC is on his way over here. Joey is with him. He was calling to make sure I was home before they wasted the gas."

 

"It's cool." Laura smiled before attempting to get off the couch. Justin grabbed her hands and lightly pulled her to her feel. "We're going to bed so we won't be in your way."

 

"You don't have to go."

 

"No. No. It's your house. I don't want to disrupt your weekly routines. I was grateful enough that you offered for us to stay here instead of some unfamiliar hotel."

 

"Are you sure? You really don't have to go. You won't be intruding on anything. All we do is sit around and watch sports."

 

"I'm sure."

 

Hallie grabbed the movies they had rented and headed towards the back bedrooms with Laura. JC and Joey arrived 15 minutes later.

 

Justin noticed JC was curiously looking around the house. "Hey Joe. Did you bring the Corona's?" Justin asked, still watching JC through the corner of his eye. Joey lifted up two six packs and nodded. "Cool. Let's just try and keep it down a bit though. Laura and Hallie are in the back and I don't want to disturb them too much."

 

"Hallie and Laura are here?!" Joey asked excitedly.

 

"yeah. In back." Justin pointed behind himself. Joey shoved the beers into Justin's arms and bolted off to see them. JC followed Justin into the kitchen to grab some chips. Justin went through the cabinets, starting up idle conversation with his best friend. "You want the sour cream and onion dip or the salsa?" Justin asked.

 

"I knew it!  Why the fuck didn't you tell me she was staying with you?" JC asked starring Justin square in the eyes.

 

Justin shook his head and started to pour the chips into a large bowl. "Was I suppose to?" he asked.

 

"Hell yeah. I would have expected you to at least drop me a line to let me know." JC whispered loudly.

 

"Why? Jealous? It's none of your business where she stays or who she stays with."

 

"I didn't say it was any of my business. And I'm not jealous." JC defended.

 

"Well, you're sure as hell acting like it. I offered her the guest room...I actually insisted on it. She asked me not to tell you or anyone else that she was staying with me."

 

"I thought we were brothers?"

 

"We are. I would lie down in traffic for you, bro. But that doesn't make me any less her friend. She asked me to do her a favor and I did it." Justin pointed out.

 

JC thought about for a minute and apologized. "I'm sorry. I don't know where my head is at lately. I'd never ask you to betray her trust for mine."

 

Justin started to laugh mockingly.

 

"What?" JC asked.

 

"It's just funny that you would say that."

 

"Why?" JC asked, watching Justin grab up a couple bowls and round the corner towards the living room. "Because that is exactly what you expected Laura to do when she kept Rachel's secret."

 

JC was so stunned by what he said that he couldn't respond. He just stood there with his hands on the counter, looking down at the shiny marble counter top, thinking to himself.

Chapter 21 by DesperateThoughts
An echo of music filled the large football stadium. Justin, Joey and Lance were on the far left side of the stage harmonizing parts of "I Thought She Knew." JC and Chris were on the other side of the stage going over choreography while the band practiced. A few moments later a crew member came up with a tall stack of pizza boxes. Everyone immediately stopped what they were doing to grab a bite to eat. JC sat on the edge of the stage and sipped his water.

"You ain't hungry?" Chris asked.

"Nah. I'm too worked up to eat." JC fiddled around with a string on his pants.

Chris placed the extra plate of pizza down next to JC just in case he decided to change his mind. He watched his friend's eyes gaze down onto the field where Laura and Hallie were sitting on a large blanket talking and laughing with one another.

"How's she doin?" Chris nodded towards the two women.

"Pretty good." JC responded, turning his gaze back town at his pants. "She's staying with Justin till the end of the week. Then, it's back to Chicago." he sighed.

"What have you two discussed about the baby?"

"We haven't really discussed anything. I'm not trying to spark any tension between us right now. Especially in the midst of recording this song."

"I thought you were done recording the song. Justin told me that the only thing left was editing."

"Yeah, but we have to do interviews and some extra footage for Jerry's little enhanced CD or DVD he's putting together. Chris nodded in agreement while he stuffed his face with a slice of pizza. He watched JC looked over to the right side of the stadium where Rachel and Cassandra were sitting in the stands reading magazines. Nikky was laid out in his stroller taking a nap.

There was an awkward silence between the two men. Both went to speak and stopped short of interrupting one another. Chris looked out at Laura and then back over at his friend, "I know that I'm a clown half the time, but can I ask you a serious question?"

JC looked over at Chris, "Am I setting myself up for another one of your great Chris moments?"

"No. I'm serious."

"Ok. I'll humor you. Ask away."

"What are still doing with Rachel?"

JC looked at his friend in shock, "What?"

"I mean in the beginning, it was mostly about your son and trying to keep a stable environment for your only child, but now that you have another on the way...There's no reason for you to stay with that...That woman."

"It could never be because I love her, huh?"  JC grabbed a slice of pizza and took a small bite.

"No. Because you don't. And as far as I am concerned...Once a liar. Always a liar."

JC placed the slice back down on the place and wiped his hands across his pants, "What makes you say that I don't love her?"

"Just looking at you. The way you look at Laura when she's around. The way the two of you interact with each other."

"Well you must be seeing something that no one else see's...Including me. And just because your a cynic doesn't mean people can't change."

"Yes, people can change. But parasites don't. And that's what Rachel is. It just doesn't make any sense to us."

"Us?"

"Did I stutter? It's an old pattern starting all over again and we just don't want to see you hurt again. You seemed so happy with Laura. You both looked like you were so deep in love. And now that Laura is about to give birth to your baby, I would have thought you'd reconsider this 'marriage' you have planned."

JC looked straight ahead towards the empty stadium seats.  He never looked Chris in the eye.  "Well I made this decision before I even knew about all that. Certain things may have changed, but that won't change the outcome. I made a promise and I'm going to keep it."

"But at what price, JC?"

JC never answered him. He grabbed his bottle of water, stood up, and walked over to sit with Justin and Joey.

While they were eating, Laura walked up to the stage and called out to their music director.  "Hey, Kevin? Can I bang away on the guitar for a minute? I want to try some of my dad's old stuff out."

"Bring it on. Let me see what you got." Kevin teased. Laura attempted to climb to steep steps to get on stage. JC grabbed her hand right as she began to loose her balance and fall backwards. "I got you" he said as he pulled her close to his body to keep her from falling.

"Yeah...Thanks" she said, still lingering in his embrace.

Kevin brought over a chair for Laura to sit on. He helped her attach the guitar around herself and they both laughed at how awkward it looked against her protruding belly. Laura still managed to play though.

~~~~~~~~

"That doesn't piss you off?"

"What are you talking about now, Cassandra?"

"The fact that your fiance is all over your ex-best friend." Cassandra pointed out. Rachel looked up from her magazine and saw JC helping Laura up the steps. She watched for a moment longer and looked to her companion and said, "He's just helping her up the steps. Look at her. Add another couple pounds to her and she'll tip over."

"Yeah, but why is she even here?"

"Justin invited her. JC and I, have already discussed it. He said I could either come along like originally planned, or stay home."

Casandra laughed. "You mean argued about it...I guess you made the right decision then. This way you can keep an eye on the two of them."

"I trust JC."

"Right. Sure you do." she mumbled.

Rachel rolled her eyes at Cassandra and went back to reading her magazine, but kept it down below eye level so that she could check on them without anyone noticing.

~~~~~~~

JC and Justin were in their own world concentrating on harmonies for the upcoming show. "I want to do a bluesy version of 'I Want You Back'. Change it up a little...you know?"

"Yeah...Yeah, I see what you sayin'." Justin replied before starting to sing the first verse.

He abruptly stopped and called out to his little brother, "Hey Jonathan! Don't ride the scooter near the stage, ok? The crew is setting up and I don't want you in their way. It's too dangerous to ride over here."

~~~~~~~

"La, la, la...La, la, la, la....Mmm,hmmm,mmm,hmm-"  Rachel hummed to herself.

"You know that song?" Cassandra asked.

"What song?" Rachel questioned as she looked up from her magazine.

As if to say 'duh' to Rachel, Cassandra said, "Your humming along with the beat the girl's playing."

Rachel hadn't noticed what she was doing. She looked up and could see Laura playing the guitar. She watched Laura squint to see what was written on the sheets and asked Kevin to help her. Rachel leaned over the railing slightly to hear them.

"I know this can't be your handwriting, Laura."

"No. It's my dad's."

Kevin got quiet. "Oh."

"He wrote this a long time ago when I was little. My mom finally decided to go through his things and she gave me all his music. This was in there. I remember when he was working on it. I used to hum the melody all the time."

Rachel smiled remembering back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Come on, girls! I need your help with something...There's an ice cream cone in it for the both of you."

"Okay daddy! We're coming!" Laura yelled back to her father. "Just bring the Barbie's on the porch so we can play later, Rachel."

The two young girls dashed into the house and down the stairs into the basement. Laura grabbed her two tiny chairs and placed them in front of her father. He was sitting down on a fold up chair tuning his guitar. Rachel sat next to her and looked toward Mr. Charles with a smile on her face.

"Alright, girls. I need the two of you to sing a small part of this song for me, ok?"

The two girls looked at each and giggled before looking at Mr. Charles and nodding.

"It goes like this...La, la, la. La, la, la, laaaa....La, la, la. La, la, la, laaaaa...I know its not much, but I don't have a sweet angelic voice like the two of you." Mr. Charles' pitch in his voice went up about 2 times the norm and he sounded like a chipmunk. He then let the bass in his voice shine through more as he stuck out his chest and tapped it with his fist like Tarzan and said, "I've got this big deep manly voice."

The three of them started to laugh hysterically. Mr. Charles sang along with the girls and began to play his guitar. He never really sang any lyrics to the song. He looked as though he were trying to let them come to him naturally. After about three minutes of the girls singing the same thing over and over again, they silenced themselves when they heard him sing softly , "Tell the kids about me, when they're old enough to...understand...Tell them that their daddy was...A good man..A good man."

He immediately stopped playing and rushed over to his desk to grab a pencil and paper to write down what he had just sung. The girls watched in amazement at how quickly he was writing.

"Wow. Your daddy is so cool. I wish my daddy was like him." Rachel said to her friend.

"Your daddy is great, Rachel. He gets to fly those big airplanes!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, but your daddy gets to meet all those famous people and he takes you along with him. My daddy doesn't take me anywhere with him." Rachel said sadly.

Mr. Charles overheard the girls speaking and stopped writing. He watched Laura pat her friend's back before looking at her and saying, "Maybe you have to be a big girl to go with your daddy on the planes?"

Rachel hung her head and looked down at her rainbow bright sneakers. "No...Samantha down the street goes with her daddy when he flies out with my daddy."

Laura bent down to look into her friends eyes, "Don't be sad. Maybe when your daddy is away, you can share my daddy with me."

Rachel's eyes lit up. "Really?"

"Yeah!" Laura exclaimed.

The two girls thought for a minute and yelled out in unison, "That means we can be sisters!"

Laura's father smiled to himself. He then scooped up the two tiny girls in his arms and ran up the stairs towards the front door. Mrs. Charles was walking in with a bag a groceries and noticed to two girls dangling in his arms at his sides.

"Where are the three of you off to?" she asked.

"I promised my girls some ice cream for helping me downstairs. We're off the Dairy Queen. We should be back in an hour."

The two girls put their arms out as if they were flying through the air. Mrs. Charles smiled at how happy they were and hated to spoil their fun, "Honey, they haven't even eaten dinner yet. I don't think Rachel's mom would appreciate her eating dessert before a healthy meal."

The girls immediately stopped what they were doing and both adults noticed the looks on their faces. Laura's father winked at the two girls and looked up at his wife and asked, "How about if they promise to eat all their vegetables as soon as we get back?"

The two of them nodded their heads vigorously in agreement. "Oh, please mommy?"

"Please Mrs. Charles?" Rachel begged.

"Yeah, please mommy?" Mr. Charles pouted at his wife.

Laura's mother hesitated before giving in to their pitiful faces, "Well, okay. But make sure you're back in an hour."

"Yay!" They all yelled. Laura's father gave his wife a peck on the cheek and dashed down the porch steps with the two girls still in his arms. "Now let's see if the two of you can fly all the way to the car...Oh no! There's turbulence! Are my two girls going to make it?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What the hell are you grinning about?"

Rachel came out of her daydream. "Huh?" She looked over at Cassandra whose face was bunched up in disgust. "Umm...Nothing. Just thinking to myself."

"Must have been a good thought by the way you were smiling like a little girl."

Rachel ignored Cassandra and went back to listening to Laura go over the lyrics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Who's the song for?" Kevin asked as he looked down at the sheet music.

"Well, I haven't really decided yet. A few artists are interested in recording it, but I don't know if I want to give it up. It's personal to me...It's about a woman remembering back to times with her husband and an agreement they had made."

"Why don't you record it yourself?" he asked.

"I don't know. I just...I may. I haven't decided if I really want to take those few steps from behind the boards to in front of a mic, you know?"

"Yeah, I know. Well, how bout you just sit in front of me so I can hear what it's suppose to sound like...Just in case you change your mind about releasing it, and its sits collecting dust for another few years." he joked lightly.

Laura was hesitant, but noticed that no one seemed to be paying much attention to what they were doing anyway. Lance and Chris were off to the side, still eating pizza. Joey was off talking to his brother and a few crew members, while Justin and JC were on the field talking to the pyrotechnics guy.

"Alright." she agreed.

Kevin smiled before counting it off, "...Three, four."

Rachel let her eyes close slightly as she sang, "La, la, la. La, la, la, laaa....La, la, la. La, la, la, laaa."

I remember the first day
I met you
we were so young
you were a blessing
and there was no guessing
you were the one
Love was so crazy
We had a baby

JC's attention was suddenly all hers when he heard her say 'we had a baby'.

and said our vows
That's when you told me
should anything happen
I can hear you now
You told me

Laura started to snap her fingers.  JC tuned out the two men and watched Laura as she sang.

if the sun comes up
and I'm not home
be strong
If I'm not beside you
Do your best to
carry on
Tell the kids about me
when they're old enough to understand
tell them that their daddy was
a good man
Yeaaaahhhhh

Rachel mouthed the words as she watched Laura. "La, la, la. La, la, la, laaa..."

First anniversary
remember we
chose a star
And as I stand under it
I can't help but wonder if
You see it where you are
For whatever reason
We don't see the seasons
Change again
Go there with peace of mind
We'll meet on the other side
Cause true Love don't end

JC smiled as he listened to her sing.  Kevin added his voice with hers and it seemed to sound perfect.

and baby
if the sun comes up
and you're not home
I'll be strong
If you're not beside me
I'll do my best to
carry on
I'll tell the kids about you
when they're old enough to understand
I'll tell them that their daddy was
a good maaan nnnn
La, la, la. La, la, la, ooooohhhh
La, la, la. La, la, la, ooooohhhh

Two eyes
looking
up at me
Pointing to the picture like where is he
Mamma are you OK
What did the paper say
To make you cry that way
It said your Daddy lived for you
and your daddy died for you
and I'll do the same

Now baby
if the sun comes up
and I'm not home
be strong
If I'm not beside you
Do your best to
carry on

Rachel lowly sang to herself as she listened to Laura finish the song. 

Tell your kids about me
when they're old enough to understand
tell them that your daddy was
a good man, a good man
La, la, la. La, la, la, la, laaa…

"How do you know that song?" Cassandra asked.

"I was in the basement with her when her father first started writing it. It was so funny, cause he had us sitting there just singing and humming 'la, la, la, la's'. Then he scooped us up and took us for ice cream. He used to always do that. That was the day Laura and I decided that we were going to be sisters-" Rachel paused and starred down at the ground as memories of their friendship came flooding back to her.

"And all this strife over a guy? Tis' a shame. I guess if JC weren't in the picture the two of you would still be inseparable." Cassandra shook her head nonchalantly before returning to balance her checkbook.

Rachel looked down at her engagement ring and over at Nikky and then towards her ex-best friend. "No. I think we will have still ended up here."

"Why?"

"We just...I guess we just grew apart." Rachel lied.  She looked at her son who was fast asleep in his stroller.  "Nikky adores her though."

"Speaking of which...I found out more about your fiance asking questions around the clinic."

"I already told you, he said he was never there."

"Well, somebody was there. The girl I work with told me that the guy had dark brown hair and he was tall and slender. Sounds like JC."

"Yeah, but he's not a good liar. And I think your friend would have recognized him, if it were JC."

"Well, all I am saying is that someone is asking questions. But I can take care of it for you if you like."
Cassandra got up and stood in the isle and pointed towards JC and said, "I'll just go over there and tell him everything. This way everything will really be out on the table...No more questions will have to be asked." she smiled dryly before walking away.

Rachel called after her, but Cassandra kept going. She sat there for a minute and told herself that the girl wasn't going to do it. But when Cassandra disappeared around the corner, Rachel bolted from her seat and raced after her with Nikky in his stroller.

Jonathan was strolling around the inside of the stadium on his scooter. He passed Rachel and waved to her as she was bolting down the hall. When he turned around to go the other way and head back to the field he could hear two people yelling. He stopped and noticed Rachel and Cassandra talking on the corner.

"Look. I'm already under enough stress as it is, getting ready for my wedding. I don't need this added stress of you going back and telling him weighing on my mind right now, Cas. Just tell me how much and I will give it to you to handle this. I don't need JC coming to me asking a whole lot of questions-"

Rachel could see Jonathan through the corner of her eye and looked towards him and smiled. "Hey Jonathan. You shouldn't be riding your scooter in here. Why don't you go back out to the field where your brother can see you sweetie. We wouldn't want to worry him."

Jonathan nodded and slowly headed back towards the field. But not before he heard the rest of Rachel's conversation.

"Look Cas, I just don't need him asking that Nikky have another paternity test."

Jonathan strolled his way onto the field where he saw his brother on the stage waving to him. He put down the scooter and made his way onto the stage, over to his brother. "Where have you been?"

"I was inside riding. I can't go fast in the grass, Justin."  he whined.

Justin kneeled down to be at eye level with his brother. "Please just stay where I can see you, Jonathan."

A look of worry dawned on Jonathan's face. "Are you going to make me take a pattern test?"

"A what?"

"Aunt Rachel was talking to that lady about giving Nikky a pattern test. Do I have to take one too?"

Justin didn't understand what his little brother was saying. "No. Why don't you go over and ask Joey to let you play the drums for a bit."

Justin watched his brother skip over to Joey and thought to himself. "A pattern test? A pattern test..." he kept saying it over and over again until it clicked. "A paternity test." he snapped his fingers.

He wondered if he should go and tell JC, but decided not to. He didn't hear what was said and he didn't want to jump to conclusions. But something deep inside him, told him that he should look into things. But he knew he would need help. He looked around at everyone working. He then noticed Rachel walking with Nikki in her arms towards JC, who was still on the field talking to a group of men. He could also see that Hallie was glaring at her. A grin appeared on his face as he walked over to Hallie and leaned towards her ear and whispered, "I think I have some new info on our happy couple over there."

Hallie looked at him questioningly. Justin didn't want to speak on it until they were alone. He noticed Cassandra walking un towards the stage and asked, "Doesn't she look familiar to you?"

Justin could see that Hallie didn't recognize her. "Try picturing her with a nurses uniform on."

Hallie's mouth dropped open slightly. Justin smiled and patted her back gently and said "We'll talk at home," before walking away to finish rehearsing.
Chapter 22 by DesperateThoughts

A muffled argument could be heard from outside the quaint house. If someone were to walk by, they would be tempted to call the cops. A stranger would never believe that the couple inside those four walls were just months away from wedded bliss.

 

"Whatever! Fuck you!" JC slammed the front door behind him with such tremendous force that his body seized up in fear that the glass would shatter.

 

As he reckslessly backed out of his driveway, a car horn sounded, forcing him to jam his feet on the brakes...Stopping just inches away from hitting a car that was coming down the street. JC drove down the street and pulled over into a gas station to make a call.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hey, Lance. Can I come crash at your place tonight? Me and Rachel just got into a huge fight."

 

"You know I would, man, but I have someone over right now."

 

Is wasn't often that Lance brought a woman home, so JC knew that his timing was terrible. "Ooooh..."

 

"Why don't you try calling one of the guys?"

 

"Yeah, I will. Thanks though." JC pressed end on his phone and leaned his head back against the seat. After taking a deep breath, he looked down and pressed 3 on his phone and waited.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Joey? You there?" JC could barely hear the person on the other end of the line. Thinking it was his reception, he started off down the street.

 

"JC! What's up?"

 

"Nothin. Where are you?"

 

"Me and Chris are on our way to Tampa for the night. Why?"

 

"Ah, Never mind. I was hoping I could crash with one of you tonight. Rachel and I aren't getting along right now."

 

"You're more than welcome to meet us here."

 

"Nah. I'll just go to a hotel."

 

"Call Justin. He's home."

 

"I might. Talk to you later." JC and the guys didn't live that far from one another. It was about a 10 to 15 minute ride between their homes. He stopped at the 7-11 just down the road, before heading to the entrance of Bay Hill. Once he passed the golf course and the small apartment community that was just across the street, he turned the corner and stopped at a set of large gates.

 

A tall, lanky man came out and smiled, "Hello, Mr. Chasez."

 

"Hey. Is Justin around?" he leaned his arm outside the car and started to type in a code on the keypad.

 

"Yeah. He just came back from hitting a few balls around the course."

 

"Thanks." JC waved as he slowly drove ahead. When he turned the corner, he noticed a golf cart sitting in the driveway and pulled up next to it. The front door was still open and he decided to knock instead of just walking in like he usually did.

 

"What the hell you knockin' for?" Justin called out to him from the other side of the door. JC could see him standing in the hallway with a towel draped over his neck.

 

"Thought I would be courteous for once." JC commented sarcastically as he entered the house.

 

"You want a beer?"

 

"Thanks" he replied as he took Justin's. Justin grabbed another beer from the fridge and plopped down on the couch in the living room. He noticed JC's silence and asked what was up.

 

"Rachel is trippin'. She is on this cock and bull about Laura. One minute she is being supportive and the next, she doesn't even want me talking to her. I came home late today from the studio and I didn't even get one foot in the door before she started interrogating me. She needed to know every little thing I did today from the minute I walked out the front door till the minute I came home."

 

Justin smirked. "Yeah, she called over here earlier looking for you." He brought the bottle to his lips and took swig.

 

"See what I'm sayin?"

 

"She's just paranoid, JC." Justin seemed to be the only person that knew why at this point. He had been trying to come up with a plan of his own on how to catch Rachel in another lie, but knew he needed some help. He didn't want to let JC know of his suspicions until he had some sort of proof.

 

"...So can I crash here tonight?"

 

Justin had zoned out of the conversation. "Oh. Sure. You don't think that would enrage Rachel even more?"

 

"Fuck what she thinks."

 

"Ooookkkayyy. Me and Hallie are about to go out and catch a movie. Laura wasn't feeling up to it, so she's staying here. Can I trust you two by yourselves?"

 

JC ignored his question and headed back towards the guest room. Hallie was walking down the hall as JC was headed up. "What are you doing here?" she asked ignorantly.

 

"Not like you care, but things aren't going well back at my place so I'm crashing here tonight."

 

Hallie stood there looking up at the ceiling, "ummm...You're right, I don't care. Just don't bother Laura. I'm specifically here to make sure the stress is at a minimum. Don't mess up my evening." she ordered.

 

JC just rolled his eyes and went into the bedroom and shut the door.

 

About an hour later he heard a glass shattering. He walked into the kitchen and noticed Laura trying to kneel down on the floor to pick up the broken glass. "Don't. I'll get it." JC walked over and grabbed a broom and dust pan from the laundry room. "You should get out of the kitchen before you step on a piece of glass."

 

Just as sure as he said it, she did just that.  "Shit!" she hobbled out of the kitchen and over to the couch.

 

JC finished cleaning of the shards of glass and headed over to see if she was okay. When he saw her tipping over on the couch and struggling to pick her foot up off the floor, it took every bit of self-control for him not to laugh out loud. "Here, let me help you, Laura."

 

"Thanks." she chuckled.

 

JC sat on the edge of the coffee table and gently took her foot in his hand and searched for the embedded glass. He gently grabbed it and pulled it out slowly, wiping away the blood with a tissue. "I think that was it. But let's make sure" he said. He gently ran his hand up the sole of her foot checking to see if she felt anything. Laura closed her eyes, and lost her self in his touch. He hadn't touched her like that in a long time. She had grown used to not having his arms to hold her at night. But seeing him taking the most delicate care with her foot, made memories flood back through her mind. She had been lying to herself the entire time they were apart. For months, she had told herself that she was better off without him, and she had actually started to believe it.

 

"Anything?" he asked.

 

"Huh? No," Laura stuttered.

 

JC sat down on the far end of the couch beside her. They both sat in silence, not knowing what to say to each other. She looked around the house and noticed that it was unusually quiet. Too quiet. "Not to be rude, but Justin and Hallie went out...Why are you here?"

 

"I asked Justin if I could crash here tonight. Needed some time to myself."

 

Laura knew those words all too well. She had heard them so many times before during the course of JC and Rachel's first attempt at a relationship. "You and Rachel got into a fight." she pointed out.

 

"I sometimes forget that I can't hid anything from you." he admitted with a smile.

 

Laura changed the subject and the two of them sat and talked briefly about the next day's studio session. Jerry wanted to finish up with a mock studio session and then end the day with an interview. This would be the last time the two of them worked with one another.

Saddened by the thought, Laura decided to turn on the tv to create a distraction. JC's cell began to ring and he rustled through his pocket to find it. After looking at the number on the screen he turned the phone completely off and went back to watching the show. Laura knew it was Rachel by the troubled expression on his face.

 

After about 45 minutes, Laura decided to retire to her bedroom. She thanked JC again and said goodnight before getting up and leaving the room. JC sat there deliberating on whether or not he should talk to Laura about their unborn-child's future.

 

KNOCK KNOCK

 

"Yes?"

 

JC pushed the door open slightly and could see Laura sitting up in bed writing in her journal. He looked down and noticed a set of headphones wrapped around her stomach. Laura noticed where his gaze was pointed and smiled, "It's soothing. When I play the music the baby doesn't kick as much."

 

A smile crept across his face. He eased into the room and stood there in silence. Laura looked confused as to why he was there. She opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off.

 

"I figured, I might as well take the chance to talk to you about this now before your bodyguard returns.

 

Laura laughed. JC walked over to the other side and sat near the foot of the bed. "So what are we going to do once the baby's here?"

 

Laura set down her journal and crossed her arms before looking his way. "I'm ready to take care of the baby on my own. It would be nice if you want to be apart of our child's life, but if not, that's fine too."

 

"And you're ok with that?" he asked in disbelief.

 

"No. But I have to face the reality that there might not be any room in your new family for this baby."

 

"That's kinda harsh.."

 

"It's a harsh world, baby." She no longer cared what he thought of her anymore. But those blue eyes had a way of pushing through all the lies she was telling herself. Underneath it all, she loved that he was just a few feet away from her. The light scent of his cologne filling her bedroom with a familiar aroma. She had remembered waking up to it morning after morning.

 

"Laura, I need to set up some form of visitation with you before the baby is born."

 

"As much as you don't want to hear me say this, I have to. You aren't the average Joe Blow, JC. We can't decide on every weekend, or every other weekend, for you to see the baby. Because I know there will be plenty of times when you aren't going to be able to make it. To set up certain days when you will see the baby and then call and say you can't make it, is unstable for our child." Laura could see the hurt in his eyes. She leaned over and sympathetically rubbed his hand, "These are things that we both have to think about, JC."

 

"So you're saying that you would rather me not be in my child's life then?"

 

That's exactly what she was thinking. Laura could feel the tension starting mount. "No. Not at all. Let's just not designate weekends knowing the reality of our lives and schedules. When you have the time and you aren't working, call me and we'll set something up. I know that you want to be there for the baby...I can see it in your eyes. But it's unrealistic to say that you will be there when you know you can't."

 

JC knew she was right. He just didn't want to admit it to himself or, most of all, to her. But he couldn't complain. This was the life he chose. Spending hours on end in the studio, traveling from city to city, country to county, for months at a time...It's what he loved to do. He would have no problem taking Nikolas and Rachel out on the road with him. That would be soon be his family and knowing that Rachel didn't want him to have anything to do with Laura was weighing heavily on his mind. "Do you honestly believe that this will work?"

 

"Only if you want it to, JC." Laura could feel that there was something else bothering him. He couldn't look her in the eyes. He just sat there staring down at the pattern on the bed spread. "What does your fiance think of all this?"

 

"One minute she's gung ho, by my side all the way...The next she is completely against me having anything to do with you. And if we can't communicate, I can't I see my baby. I refuse to involve lawyers."

 

Laura was stunned. It was as though she were sitting there with a completely different person. This wasn't the Joshua Chasez that she had loved and respected. This was a mere shell of the man that she had adored for so many years.

 

"I'm in a lose to lose situation here, Laura. I'm in love with this woman...This incredible woman..." Laura rolled her eyes as she thought of Rachel. "And I can't be with her unless I give up everything I've just found." JC searched her eyes for some form of reaction to his outpouring, but found nothing. Laura picked up her journal and went back to writing. Did she not understand who he was talking about?

 

"I'm going on like I have been for the past 7 months."

 

"When are you going back to Chicago?"

 

Laura went on to tell him that she wasn't planning on leaving at the end of the week. Justin had talked her into staying a few more days to look at homes in the area. Justin felt she made a dumb move by leaving town. She and JC also discussed the offer she was given for a partnership in a record company that was set to open soon. She could tell by the tone in his voice that he wasn't thrilled to hear the news of her possibly permanency in Chicago.

 

The silence between them became deafening. JC could hear his own voice coming from somewhere and looked over noticing that it was originating from the headphones around her belly. He immediately perked up. She wasn't paying much attention to his presence in the room until he grabbed the headphones to hear what song it was.

Shock loomed on his face as he looked towards her and asked, "Where did you get this from?"

 

"Last year, your mom had let me borrow a few old tapes of you on the show. I liked a few songs and recorded them."

 

"Now and forever...I will be your maaannn." he sang along.

 

"So my voice is soothing to our baby, huh?" he smiled.

 

Laura sheepishly grinned, knowing the satisfaction he was feeling from realizing she played his music for the baby. Even when he wasn't there, he was. It was comforting to know. He leaned dangerously close to her ear and whispered, "Thank you." before lightly kissing her cheek.

 

Laura was startled by his closeness and turned her head towards him, their lips just barely touching. "You're welcome…Ow ow ow ooouch!!"

 

"What's wrong? What's wrong?"

 

"I got a cramp in my calf." she whined flexing her toes to try and ease the pain.

 

JC grabbed her leg and began to massage the tight and tensed muscles in her right calf. Laura's head fell back on the pile of pillows and she let out a long sigh of relief.

"Remember that time we were in the pool and you got that charlie horse?"

 

"God, don't remind me."

 

He started to laugh uncontrollably, "You were practically drowning while I was sitting on the lawn chair sleeping my ass off!"

 

Laura gasped and started to bash him in the head with a nearby pillow. A small pillow fight ensued and she was the first to give up, feeling utterly spent. She found herself wrapped in JC's arms. Realizing the situation their smiles slowly faded. Laura didn't want him to let go. She wanted to spend the rest of her life in those arms, but knew they now belonged to someone else. She moved forward slightly to free herself from his grasp, but his grip suddenly became stronger. Neither of them said a word. The baby began to kick at Laura's left side. She put her hand over his and moved it down so he could feel their child.

"Will we ever, regain the friendship, we used to have?" he whispered.

 

"We can never truly be friends again, JC."

 

He pushed his head against her back and asked himself why. They both were slowly drifting into slumber, but Laura managed to give him an answer, "It's so hard to be around you and not show I'm hurt. It's impossible for me to act like we never were."

 

She could hear JC's breathing was heavier and she knew he was on his way to dreaming. His hand was still on her stomach. She gently rubbed it, burning the impression of the three of them in her mind. This would probably be the only time that they all would be this close to one another again. And in a whisper so low not even a mouse could hear she faintly said, "We'll never be friends...Cuz I'm still in love with you," before closing her eyes and drifting off to sleep in the safety of his arms.

Chapter 23 by DesperateThoughts

Sleep well last night?" Justin asked his friend, spooning scrambled eggs onto JC's plate.

 

"The best I've slept in a long time." he yawned before grabbing a fork and digging in.

 

"Yeah, I went in to check on Laura and discovered you had already taken care of that." Justin popped a grape into his mouth, staring at his friend.

 

A light shade of red filled his cheeks. He didn't know why he was blushing. He didn't even understand why he felt he should justify why he slept in Laura's bed the night before. A small part of Justin was happy to see them together the night before, while the other part of him was upset. He couldn't figure out what JC was trying to do. He decided not to mention it anymore and focused on the plans he had put into motion with Hallie the night before.

 

~~~~~

 

"What the hell were you doing?" Hallie scolded.

 

"We fell asleep. Nothing more. Calm down."

 

"Did you talk to him about the baby?"

 

"We discussed the situation. I don't think we got very far with it. The plan right now is for him to call when he wants to see the baby. I don't want pre-set dates. It will never work given his career. Why are you more upset about this than me?"

 

"Guys are such jerks. I sit here and see how miserable you are without him, and want to kill him. And since we've come back here, you've perked up just a little bit more, and your smile is wider. But it's like you are trying to live a false reality. And he isn't helping the situation at all. Especially after last night." Hallie was visibly upset and Laura couldn't understand why.

 

Hallie hated that JC was bouncing back and forth between Laura and Rachel like a yo yo. "He get's into an argument with the wife-to-be and knows there will always be room for him with his other baby's mom. It's not right."

 

"You weren't here last night, so don't pass judgments about what did and didn't happen. It's taking every bit of strength I have to be here. And I asked you to come along to keep me from stressing out, but lately you are only adding to it. I am by no means living a false reality, Hallie. I know, we're threw. You don't have to fuckin' remind me every time he and I are in the same room together." Laura stormed out onto the balcony to be alone.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Laura awoke from her nap to discover that she was home alone again. Justin and JC had gone out to the local bar, while Joey took Hallie out to dinner and a little dancing. She used the time to her advantage. She took a long hot shower and made her way into what Justin liked to call his "great" room. 

 

There was a pure white baby Grande piano sitting on the side of the room near to window.  Along with a black leather couch that wrapped around the room.  It was the one room in the house that hardly anyone went into because it was so clean, and almost everything in the room, including the carpets, were white as snow.

 

"Tell the kids about me, when their old enough to...understand...Tell them that their daddy was a good man."

 

Laura couldn’t help relate to the song. It could have been due to the hormonal roller coaster she was on, but the song seemed to predict her future. Deep down inside she knew that JC might not be around for their child. She knew her ex-best friend like the back of her hand. Rachel would do whatever it took to prevent it. And just as if she swung a magic wand in the air, Rachel came rushing through the front door, calling out to JC. Laura got up and followed the sound of her voice until they were face to face in the foyer. "Where is he?"

 

Laura was in disbelief over how Rachel barged her way into the house and was demanding to know where JC was. "He’s not here."

 

"Don’t give me that. His car is outside." Rachel looked her over, robe and disheveled hair, automatically assuming something was awry.

 

Laura could see the fear on Rachel’s face. Just at that moment you would think a commercial was going to prolong the climax of the moment.  Laura found it ironic that Rachel believed they’d had sex. As much as she wanted to make her squirm, Laura decided not to stoop to her level by leading her on. "He’s out with Justin. They left earlier this afternoon."

 

Rachel didn’t believe her. She walked past her up the stairs to search for him in all four bedrooms of the house. She descended back down the steps almost disappointed to not find him naked upstairs.

 

"You mind stopping the soap opera dramatics and tell me what you are really here for?" Laura asked with arms folded across her chest.

 

"I was looking for my fiancé. That’s it."

 

Still not believing her little act, Laura walked over to the door and opened it. "Ok. Well now you know he isn’t here, you can go."

 

Rachel brushed passed her towards the front door and was confronted by Justin and JC as they were walking in.

 

"What are you doing here?" JC demanded.

 

"I should be asking you the same question." She blasted. For the next 5 minutes a shouting match occurred. Justin stood back against the wall like an eager spectator. It raged on for a few more minutes before Hallie and Joey found themselves in the middle of "shut the hell up’s" and vigorous hand gestures. Hallie and Joey walked over to Justin who was still standing there, and asked what was going on. He explained and the three of them stood side by side and observed. Hallie spotted Laura out of the corner of her eye. She was leaving the kitchen with a cup of warm milk and seemed unfazed by what was going on.

 

Embarrassed to have Laura see her being as nosey as the other two, she whispered that she was going upstairs.

 

The word ‘slut’ and other expletives started flying around. Hallie had enough. "Slut?" She started back down the steps. Laura tried to call after her tp stop her, but it was too late. Joey lunged to stand between the two women who were flailing their arms towards one another. JC wrapped his arms around Rachel to pull her back. In his struggle he looked up and saw Laura standing there blowing into her cup. He was confused by her indifference towards the whole situation. Rachel and Hallie yelled back and forth to one another through Joey and JC’s bodies which were shields to keep them from fighting.

 

"I got your number, bitch!"

 

"Hallie…"  Justin shook his head for her not to say anything. "Stop…Hallie."

 

"Why don’t you tel-"

 

"HALLIE, SHUT UP!!" Justin’s voice was so loud that it echoed throughout the entire house. Everyone froze. Even Laura stopped in her tracks and had to look over at them.

 

"Hey Laura. Why don’t you fight your own battles instead of having your girlfriend fight them for you?"

 

Laura grinned at her and calmly stated, "These people don’t know you like I do, Rachel. So this act that you are putting on doesn’t phase me in the slightest. I’ve seen this charade a thousand times in the past. It gets old."

 

JC’s looked at her questioningly. Rachel began to spout off more accusations and curses her way, but Laura wasn’t going to sink to her level. "I don’t know what you are up to, nor do I care. Just take your fiancé and go home, Rachel. Just go home."

 

"He is my fiancé. You just make sure to remember exactly that."

 

"Take out an ad. Put up a sign. Take a picture. I don’t care." Laura said goodnight to everyone and continued off to bed.

 

"Let’s go." JC pulled Rachel’s arm and looked towards Justin, "We’re going. I’m sorry about all this."

 

Justin nodded and followed them to the door. They could hear the two of them shouting in the driveway and everyone remained quiet trying to listen.

 

"That bitch is whacked out." Joey commented. Hallie, Joey and Justin remained downstairs discussing what had just occurred and their plans of discovering the truth about Rachel.

Chapter 24 by DesperateThoughts

Yeah. Just a little over 8 months now, Mrs. Chasez…My mom is coming to Chicago in a couple weeks to help out during the last month…" Laura laid across the bed with the phone propped on her shoulder as she turned the pages of a binder full of homes for sale. "Yeah, she said she had something really important to take care of, so she is away…She’ll be back sometime this week, so I’m all covered in the help department, but thanks."

 

The two women ended their conversation and Laura was relieved to know that Mrs. Chasez was anxiously awaiting her grandchild’s arrival into the world. They seemed to be the only ones. She hadn’t spoken to JC since their conversation at Justin’s. He hadn’t even called. She knew that he had Justin checking up on her for him. She also knew Rachel had something to do with the lack of contact. But every fiber of her body was praying that Rachel didn't have that much control over him.

 

RING RING

 

"Hello?" Laura could hear someone breathing, but they never spoke. This had been happening almost everyday, since she got home from her trip.

 

"Hello," she huffed. "Why do you keep calling me if you aren’t going to say anything?" Still no one responded. She decided to play along and sat there breathing into the phone. She continued to read her magazine. "I can do this as long as you can." She stated.

 

Laura faintly heard a tiny voice in the background say, "Da." The phone suddenly went mute. Was it Nikky’s little voice she heard?

 

"JC?" Still nothing. "If this is you. We’re doing okay." Three seconds later she heard a click and knew he'd hung up.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Rachel threw down her napkin and looked across the table. "How long are you going to give me the silent treatment, JC?"

 

"I’m not giving you the silent treatment. I’d just like to eat in peace for once."

 

"You never home anymore. It’s like any chance you get to leave the house, you bolt out the door and don’t come back till late at night."

 

"This is nothing new to you, Rachel. That’s how my life is."

 

Rachel dropped her fork onto the plate making a loud clanking noise.  "Well, you seem to have all the time in the world for Nikky, but no time for me."

 

"Would you rather it be the other way around?"

 

"No. I just think that we need to figure out a plan before we get married. Because I don’t want this to be a problem for us in the future, baby."

 

"We will." JC went back to eating.

 

"Is this because of how I feel about Laura?"

 

JC stopped in mid-chew. "I don’t want to talk about it. You’ve voiced your opinion and I am trying to make a compromise by not calling her right now. But next month don’t expect me to not keep in touch with her on a regular basis. I refuse to not be there when my child is born. You’ve already deprived me of that once. You’re not going to do it again."

 

JC got up from the table and went into the living room to finish his meal. Rachel sat at the table starring down at her plate, forking through her potatoes.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"I can’t find any information on that girl, Justin. I need to know where she works or has worked and then I can get my friend to look her up in the system." Hallie said trying to prop the phone up between her ear and her shoulder.

 

"I can find out from Rachel."

 

The two of them began to bicker back and forth about the consequences of Justin asking too many questions about the new friend in her life. He quickly came up with a plan to act interested in Cassandra to gain more information. All the investigative work over the past month had led them back to square one. They had no idea who this woman was or what part she played in Rachel's deception. Justin was beginning to feel that his suspicions were incorrect.

 

"What if this Cassandra person only turns out to be an actress?"

 

"Then I'll be wrong about everything. For Rachel to pull something like that off, she would need an actual nurse."

 

"Do you know how psychotic we must seem?"

 

"I don't think wanting to know the truth is psychotic, Hallie."

 

"Yeah, but this isn't any of our business."

 

"JC is my family...He is my business." Justin defended before focusing back on their plans.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It was 3am and Laura had awaken for one of the 12 routine bathroom trip. As she lifted herself off the bed she could feel warm liquid running down the inside of her thighs.

"Don’t tell me that I just pee'd on myself!" She whined to herself.

 

She went into the bathroom and cleaned herself up. When she returned into the bedroom, the liquid started to run down again. "What the hell? I just went to the bathroom."

 

Laura felt embarrassed that she couldn’t even control her body anymore. She went back into the bathroom and stayed there for 10 minutes, hoping that her bladder would be empty soon. Still having no luck she grabbed a stack of towels and retreated back into the bedroom. She set the towels down on the chair and sat down rubbing her belly. "You just won’t be satisfied till mommy has a nervous breakdown huh, little one?"

 

She grabbed the phone and decided to call Hallie, but there was no answer.  She then dialed her mom. "What’s wrong? You okay?" Mrs. Charles asked frantically.

 

"I’m fine, mom. I'm sorry to wake you up so late, but I just needed to know if it’s normal for someone to lose control of their bodily functions during pregnancy."

 

"What happened?"

 

Laura explained everything to her mother. Mrs. Charles had never really heard of anything like that happening to anyone she knew. She told Laura to call her doctor to make sure everything was ok. "Call me back as soon as you talk to them."

 

Laura hung up and dialed her doctor but only got in touch with his service. She left a message for him and went on to call the emergency room.

 

"...You say you are in your eight month of pregnancy right?"

 

"Right."

 

"What I would suggest is that you come on over so we can check you out and make sure that everything is ok." The triage nurse took down most of her information to be prepared for her when she arrived.

 

A simple trip to the emergency room turned out to be a mission. They sent her from one room to another until eventually sending her over to the maternity ward. One of the head nurses came in a did an examination.

 

"Well, you aren’t going home today."

 

"Why? What’s wrong?"

 

"There is a tear in your sac." The nurse could see the worried look on her face and tried to calm her fears. "It’s ok. It just basically means that your water broke. You're in labor. We're having a birth in here soon!"

Chapter 25 by DesperateThoughts

JC was fast asleep with his head resting on his folded arms. He had been down in his studio all night writing. There was a low melodic beat playing through a set of headphones that were lying next to the baby monitor near his head. A small line of saliva slowly trickled down the side of his lip as he snored.

 

"Hello?" Rachel answered JC's cell phone that had been ringing to the beat of "take me out to the ballgame" for almost a half hour. She had tried to ignore it, but after the tenth call, she'd had enough.

 

"Is JC there?"

 

Rachel squinted over at the clock and noticed it was almost 5am. "Who is this?"

 

"It's Hallie. I need to speak to him right away." Rachel turned over in bed to nudge her fiance, but there was only an empty space. It had been like that for awhile. She sat up in bed and looked towards the bathroom to see where he was, but it was pitch black.

 

"Rachel? Hello? Can you put him on the phone please?"

 

"I don't think he is here." She spoke groggily.

 

Hallie automatically assumed she was lying. "Where would he be without his cell phone then, Rachel?"

 

"I don't know. Gimme a minute to find out!" she snapped back before swiftly hanging up.

 

Rachel walked down the hallway towards Nikki's room and found the baby sound asleep in his crib, but JC was nowhere in sight. She pulled the blanket up to cover the baby and was startled by the phone ringing once more. She tried to cover it up, so as not to disturb her toddler. She walked out into the hall and closed the door before answering the phone. "Didn't I say to gimme a minute? What the fuck is so important that you need to call here at 5am, Hallie? Did Laura break a nail?"

 

Just as Hallie was about to curse her out, Rachel started again, "Look, he's not here. But I'll make sure to let him know that you called."

 

"Yeah, just like you let him know Laura had called."

 

"Look-"

 

Rachel immediately jumped when she felt a hand touch hers. JC snatched his phone from her hand, "Hello?"

 

He looked over at his stunned fiance and he continued to speak to Hallie. The only light was that of the moon gleaming in through the windows of the hallway. Rachel could hardly make out his face to see if he was glaring at her, but she could feel he was. "Seriously? I'm on my way." JC hung up and jogged down the hall towards their bedroom. He grabbed a pair of jeans and a shirt and threw them on before grabbing his wallet and rushing towards the front door.

 

"Where are you going?"

 

"Laura's in labor. I gotta go."

 

Rachel just stood there and watched him frantically dial a number in his phone. After his call ended, he ran out the front door, never looking back to say goodbye to his fiance. Rachel stood in the middle of the hallway with tears flooding her eyes. Just as she was about to fall to the floor and let her tears flow, JC rushed back in the door. She looked to him anxiously only to find he had left his keys. "I'll call you later." he yelled.

 

She stood on the walkway and waved, "I love you."

 

JC just muttered "yeah, me too." before hopping in his car and speeding off down the street.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"I'm trying to get a flight out now, Laura."

 

"It's okay, Hallie. You don't have to go through all that. I'll be fine."

 

"I don't want you to be alone during this, girl."

 

"My mom should be here in a few hours or so. They say I have a long way to go before I'm fully dilated."

 

"Well I still want to be there. I called JC and he is on his way."

 

"Oh...Okay."

 

"When I called to get his number, Justin told me something about a private jet that they use, so he might be there before your mother."

 

A contraction started to kick in. "I need to hang up, Hal. I'm in too much pain to be holding up a conversation with you buddy. I'll see you when you get here. Love ya." Laura handed the nurse the phone as she gripped the railing of the bed and winced in pain.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Wow. 8 1/2 centimeters. You're making good progress. How's that epidural treating you?"

 

"God, it's awesome." Laura breathed deeply as she smiled at the nurse. She sucked on a crushed piece of ice and wiped away a few beads of sweat that running down her face.

 

KNOCK KNOCK

 

The door opened slightly and Laura turned her head to see who it was. JC stood there nervously looking inside the room.

 

"You can come in, JC."

 

"I wasn't sure I was in the right place. It's like night and day. I walk in here and it's like a plush hotel room in here." he laughed nervously.

 

Laura smiled and introduced him to the nurse. "Nice to meet you, Betty."

 

"Are you going to be with her during the delivery, daddy?"

 

"Ummm...Only if she wants me to."

 

"It's up to you, JC. Do you want to-"

 

He didn't even let her finish. "Yes."

 

"Well that's settled." Laura smiled towards nurse Betty.

 

JC found a seat in a rocking chair that was near her bed. Laura was busy changing channels on the tv to notice him staring at her. "Oh look, Friends. You still like this show, right?"

 

She looked to him for a response and found his eyes centered on her face.  Self consciously, she pushed her damp hair out of her face.  "What?"

 

"You're so beautiful."

 

"I look like shit, but thanks. Just don't let your wife hear you say that."

 

"She's not my wife."

 

"It's just a technicality at this point." Laura turned her attention back towards the tv. JC just sat quietly and watched the show with her as they waited together, for their child to enter the world.

Chapter 26 by DesperateThoughts

"She's gorgeous, Ma." JC grinned from ear to ear as he spoke to his mother on the phone.

 

He held the baby girl in his arms, touching the side of her small cheek with the tip of his finger. "She's got Laura's hair and nose. Her lips are perfect. And her eyes...We don't really know yet, but the nurse thinks they are going to be blue like mine."

 

He gently rocked the baby the in his arms. "Well they said not to check and that all ten fingers and ten toes were there, but I had to see for myself...Yeah, they're all there." he laughed as a tear rolled down his cheek. "Lacey Karen Chasez...Yeah I know. Everything I'd wanted. Laura was amazing...Yeah my hand is still recovering. It's going to take at least a week to regain my blood supply." he chuckled.

 

He and his mother talked for another 5 minutes before he reluctantly hung up. He walked around the room with the baby in his arms. She was born 5 pounds, 6 ounces and was so tiny that JC was almost afraid to hold her at first. But he was now having a hard time letting her go. He sang softly to the newborn as she slept and looked over at Laura, who was sleeping after her long and arduous labor.

 

"There are a few nurses in the hall that say you do that professionally." Betty commented as she crept into the room to take Laura's vitals.

 

"Yeah." he smiled. Nurse Betty gently took the baby from him and placed her back in the bassinette. She explained that she needed to take her down the hall for a few tests and she would bring her back shortly. JC walked out behind them to grab himself a cup of coffee. He bumped into the Laura's mother as she coming in. They briefly hugged and JC explained everything to her and told her to wait there for them to bring back her granddaughter. When he returned Mrs. Charles was by her daughters side, rocking her grandbaby back to sleep.

 

"She was a champ." he whispered.

 

Mrs. Charles smiled. "Well she would be. She's my daughter." JC was pleased to see how things between Laura and her mother had completely changed. He didn't know why and was curious to find out.

 

"Can I ask you something?"

 

"Sure."

 

"When we first met, you hardly hugged your daughter. And now it seems like you are a completely different person. Don't get me wrong, I love this side of you, but I've been wondering...Why the sudden change of heart?"

 

"Well, just like yourself, Joshua, someone pulled the wool over my eyes. It took me a very long time to figure out what was really going on. I also felt I needed someone to blame for every single thing that happened to me and she was an easy target. Now all I can do is hope that the time I am spending now will somehow make up for the time that I stupidly lost."

 

JC asked her what she meant about him also being fooled by someone. She desperately wanted to tell him, but knew he needed to find out on his own. But by then, it probably would be too late. Just as she was about to speak, Laura spoke her mother's name. Mrs. Charles got up and kissed her daughter's forehead, leaving JC once again without any answers.

 

The decision was to stay with Laura until she was safely out of the hospital and home settled in with their daughter. He'd been gone an entire week and the anxiety within Rachel was building by the hour. When he returned home, he talked about Lacey for days on end and had millions of pictures of her sprawled all around the house. Rachel even had to admit to herself that the tiny baby was adorable. But the constant deluge of calls to Laura was making her feel uneasy. Especially late at night, when JC would leave the room to talk to her on his cell phone. She didn't like it at all, and this was yet another topic of argument between them.

 

JC was fed up. He couldn't stand the constant bickering and wondered out loud if this was going to be the norm after they got married. It led to an eight hour discussion of their future and eventually a reconciliation. Day by day, things seemed to be getting back on track between the couple. They were doing last minute planning for the wedding and searching through a million brochures to figure out the perfect spot to spend their honeymoon together.

 

"How are my grandchildren?" Karen asked as she and her son took their ritual Sunday walk in the park.

 

"Their good. Lacey is lifting her head up now. Laura says it may take 6 months or more to find out her true eye color. But right now, they are bluish. I'm not worried. As long as she is healthy. Nikki is talking and walking more. Rachel and I may take him to Disney World for his birthday. He's obsessed with Goofy right now."

 

Karen smiled and listened to her son continue to tell her stories of his two children. "When am I going to be able to see her? She's almost two months old now."

 

I had planned to go up there next week, but work has me stuck here. Laura promised to bring her here though. She's starting to get like me and guys now." he laughed. "She went and chartered a private jet for her and baby. Something about too many people."

 

"Well if I had the money, I would too. You don't know what kind of germs people are carrying these days."

 

JC was usually distant from the conversation; Always staring off into space or zoning out on the conversation. She could sense that there was something bothering him. It was as though he were waiting for her to ask him what was wrong, because the moment she did, he broke down. With his head on his moms shoulder he looked up at the trees and said, "I feel like such a jerk."

 

"Why?"

 

"When I went to the hospital to see my baby, everything felt right. I was complete. I am totally connected to my baby girl. But ever since Rachel has told me Nikki is my son, something's been a little off. I haven't been able to connect with him, the way I have with Lacey. And I feel like shit, cause that's my son. But something doesn't feel right in my heart.  I didn't notice the difference until after she was born.  It just doesn't feel the same."

 

"I don't know what to tell you sweetie. It could possibly be because you weren't physically there when Nikky was born, so that feeling of excitement and joy is lost to you with him. And that isn't your fault."

 

"No, I don't think it's that, mom."

 

"Then what?"

 

"I don't know. I just don't the feel the same."

 

"That might change as the two of you start to bond more. You've been away from each other during the most important year of his life. It's hard to make up for lost time."

 

JC explained the same thing to Justin later on that same week. "Well, JC, all I can tell you is that if you feel something isn't right, then you should go with that gut instinct and figure out why."

 

"What the hell do you mean? I know he's my son. I got the papers to prove it."

 

As of that day, Justin didn't have any proof to the contrary. "I just mean that you need to look within yourself for the answer to that question, JC. It could just be that instead of living the life you've always dreamed of, you are living the life you feel you have to."

 

"Yeah, bro. I appreciate this thing you call a pep talk, but it's not helping me with my problem. Don't you have date with Cassandra you need to be getting ready for?"

 

Justin looked down at his watch.  "Oh shit, you're right! I'll talk to you about this later." He grabbed his phone off the top of the piano and headed out the door, before popping his head back into the living room, "Yo JC, I'll help you figure that out soon, Bud."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Hallie stood in the kitchen by the stove boiling some water. She didn't hear a thing when she was suddenly lifted off the ground and spun around by someone who was howling. She looked down and recognized Justin's watch and sprung free from his grasp. "What the fuck, Justin! You almost gave me a heart attack!"

 

"I think I got it!" he exclaimed kissing her hard on the cheek.

 

"Well how many dates did it take?"

 

"Two, but I think I have hit the jackpot now, baby."

 

"What are you two yelling about in here?" Laura asked as she walked into the kitchen holding the baby close to her shoulder. Hallie nudged him with her elbow and knew they would need to do something to avert the topic.

 

"Ohhhh. Gimme my neice." Making a goofy face, Justin took the baby in his arms and walked into the other room talking to her. "...Yes, cause you daddy, as great as he may be, is kinda...well...stupid at times, Lacey."

 

"Justin." Laura scolded.

 

"What? She doesn't know what I'm sayin'."

 

"But I do. Now stop!" She threw a towel at him and handed Hallie two bottles to place in the water.

 

The next day, Laura decided to take the baby out to the studio with Justin to see JC. He wasn't expecting them until Friday, but they had gotten a earlier flight in on Wedsnesday.

 

"Oh my God, look at the baby!" Tom yelled out from his chair before getting up to greet Laura and the newborn. "No you don't have the baby in a matching Juicy Cotour outfit! I didn't know they made them this small!"

 

"Hallie had one of her friends hook us up."

 

"Hey, Tommy." she leaned up and gave him a hug.

 

JC walked out of the bathroom and was pleasantly surprised to see the two of them standing there. "Isn't she a little princess, Tom."

 

"Yes, she is. I'm upset about this outfit. Is Juicy written on the butt like yours is?"

 

Laura smirked as she moved the blanket away and showed him. The baby even had on a pair of matching white Nike's with the logo in light pink to match the outfits. "Ha Ha. That's so cute! I see you got your figure back rather quickly."

 

"Oh please, my fat ass was in the gym day and night trying to work all that off."

 

"You look incredible." Tom commented as he twirled her around to see the rest of her. JC was thinking the same thing as his eyes ran up and down the length of her body. Laura handed him the baby and found a seat on a nearby stool. JC gave the tiny baby a million light kisses on the cheek, "Muah, muah, muah...Daddy missed you so much. Come on, let's go show you off to everyone else."

 

Laura was too busy catching up with Tom and a few other producers to notice JC slip out of the room and down the hall passed Hallie and Justin who were busy talking. "Was that ugly uncle Justin and mean Aunty Hallie with the loud mouths?"

 

As he was making his rounds in the gloating department, JC bumped into Jerry, who was in a neighboring room working with a new group. He noticed the baby right away and congratulated JC. But being the businessman he was, he decided to take care of a little business while he had him there. JC followed Jerry to his car to discuss a production deal that he'd gotten wind of a few days prior. While the two men were talking, Laura made her way outside to find out where the heck he had run off to with their daughter. She said a quick hello to Jerry before taking the baby inside for her scheduled feeding. As she was walking away she heard little Nikki yell, "Da da! Da da!" and watched Rachel and Nikki walking up from the parking lot.

 

Almost simultaneously Jerry and JC turned around. Nikki rushed over to the them and grabbed a hold of the tall man's leg and put his arms out to be picked up. Laura looked on in embarrassment for JC as he stood there and watched his son clinging to Jerry for dear life.

Chapter 27 by DesperateThoughts

Everyone was stunned to silence. Justin had walked outside to find Laura just as Nikki had called out to Jerry as 'Da da'. Rachel had even stopped midway up the parking lot holding a bag of Wendy's in her hand that she was bringing JC for lunch. She could see Laura through the corner of her eye. It felt like her eyes were searing right through Rachel's entire being.

 

Jerry's first reaction was to scoop the child up in his arms and hug him with all his might. Shaking his head he lightly pushed the little boy towards JC, "Take him...Take him."

 

Laura walked over and grabbed Lacey from JC's arms so he could get Nikki. "Just take him...Please!" Jerry stood off to the side and watched them.

 

JC tried to get a firm hold on Nikolas, but he was pushing against JC's chest to break free to get to Jerry. Jerry couldn't watch anymore. He rushed past Justin back into the building wiping tears from his eyes.

 

Nikolas began to move his body around violently in hopes of gaining back his freedom. When that too failed he began to cry.  Seeing there was nothing she could do, Laura took Lacey and left JC and his fiance alone in the parking lot with their son. Justin opened the door for her and then went in the opposite direction down the hall after Jerry. He found him in one of the back office.

 

"You alright, man?"

 

"Yeah. I'm cool." Jerry wiped his eyes once more and took a deep breath.

 

"Must be hard."

 

"It is. But I'll get through it okay. I just hope Nikolas will."

 

"He must be really confused. Not knowing who he should call daddy and have that be the truth." Justin commented finding a seat behind the desk.

 

"With time he'll know."

 

"Your friend said the same thing."

 

Jerry got off the desk and turned around to look at Justin, "What friend?"

 

Justin whipped out a business card and handed it to Jerry. "Thomas Whitfield. Private Investigator."

 

Jerry looked down at the card and wondered how Justin found out about Mr. Whitfield. Justin got up from the chair and made his way around the desk, pacing the room like Matlock in a courtroom, "Yeah. I caught him following me home the other night."

 

"He wasn't suppose to be following you. He was suppose to be following-"

 

"Cassandra?" Justin whipped his head around to see the reaction in Jerry's face.

 

Jerry looked down trying to think of a story to feed him, but Justin knew how he operated. It was too late. "Look, Jer, you don't have bullshit me. If you have this guy following her for what I think, then I need to know everything you know...Before it's too late."

 

"What do you know?" Jerry questioned.

 

"What do you know?"

 

"I asked you first..."

 

"I believe that a certain 'friend' of ours and Rachel has been playing God in the lab with test results...Not just once either...I think Rachel is trying to pass off Nikky as JC's kid when he might be someone else's flesh and blood."

 

"Yeah, well, she's done a hell of a job covering her tracks, cause we can't get shit on her. And I have no rights to Nikky anymore so I can't request another paternity test, nor do I have proof to dispute the results JC has."

 

"What can we do to change that?"

 

"JC has to make that move. And that's like begging your ex-girlfriend to put on some underwear...It'll never happen."

 

Justin couldn’t help but laugh.  "Can't hurt unless we try, Jerry."

 

"Yeah, but what if we are wrong? I don't want to put Nikolas through anymore of this, Justin. I just can't." Jerry crossed his arms and thought about that beautiful little boy he had to push away just moments ago. "It was the hardest thing he ever had to do."

 

Justin thought back on his childhood and how he slightly resented his father for not being there for him when he was younger. "And if we're right? You'd want him to go through the rest of his life without knowing you? Especially if you are his true father?"

 

"I love him more than life itself and rather than see him being flung from family to family, I am just going to have to walk away knowing that JC will love him just as much as I do."

 

He was beginning to take what Jerry was saying personally. All these things he had heard his father say to him just years ago when they started their relationship anew. "Well I can't do that Jerry. And if you really loved that kid, you wouldn't be able to either. You'd fight to the death to be with him.  You'd fight till you couldn't fight anymore...Just for him." Justin stormed out of the room slamming the door behind him, leaving Jerry alone to think long and hard about what he had said.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

JC returned back into the studio...Alone. Rachel had decided to take the baby with her to a friends house while she read over a script. He looked around to ask Justin if he could hitch a ride home but learned from Laura that Justin had left early with Hallie. He claimed a migraine was keeping him from concentrating and that they would start up again fresh the next morning. The only person left was Laura. She had her rental car and agreed to drop him off. This also gave him a chance to spend a little more time with his daughter. He called his mom from the car on his way home. Mrs. Chasez jumped at the opportunity to see her newborn grandchild and rushed over to the house to greet them once they arrived back at JC's.

 

"Oh my God! She looks just like you did when you were born!" Karen said smiling at JC.

"Are you trying to say I looked like I girl?" he joked. "I think she looks more like Laura, Ma." 

 

The three of them sat around and talked as she doted over the baby. With every blink it was like a new experience for Karen. She was reluctant to leave when 6 o'clock rolled around, but she had been there three hours and the baby was fast asleep. JC was lying the baby down on his bed while Laura walked Karen out to her car. She kissed Laura on the cheek, "I feel honored that you thought of me enough to give the baby my name."

 

"Well I had told you a long time ago that you were like a mother to me. That's never changed. No matter how you may feel about me now." Laura was still hurting over her broken relationship with JC's mother.

 

"Laura. I-"

 

"It's ok, Mrs. Chasez. I understand." Laura kissed her ex mother-in-law and made sure she got out okay before starting back towards the house until she heard a faint moan coming from over by the fence. She followed the sound and found Buddy sticking his head out from underneath the gate.

 

"Buddy? What the heck are you doing down there baby? You stuck?" Laura went to rescue the dog. His mane had gotten caught between parts of the gate.

 

"JC!" Laura called out to him. He met her in the foyer. The dog was feverishly clawing his way up her body to lick her face. "Buddy was caught in the gate. Why is he so dirty?"

 

"He's outside most of the day. He doesn't really like Rachel, so instead of having to deal with him when she is home alone, she let's him out back to terrorize the place." JC started to go through the mail as Laura chased after the dog into the living room. She sat on the floor and wrestled with him briefly. JC sat back and watched the two of them together.

 

Buddy was excited to have her back in the house. He kept sniffing and licking her, as if to make sure he wasn't dreaming. "He sleeps under Nikki's crib. And every time Rachel walks in the room, he's got this low protective growl that he does to piss her off. It's too funny."

 

Laura laughed and praised the dog. JC leaned forward with elbows resting on his knees and said, "He seems to have missed you a lot though."

 

Laura fell back as Buddy jumped onto her chest, "God I know. I missed him too. Didn't I, baby! You've gotten to be such a big boy, while I was away, huh?" she ruffled up his hair and scratched the back of his ear lovingly.

 

JC starred at her and accidentally blurted out, "He's not the only one that misses you, Laura."

 

Laura was taken aback by his frankness. He too was caught off guard. He'd meant to keep that bit of information to himself, but now that it was out there, he decided to go with it and see where it led.

 

"JC, please." Laura looked down at the dog, cradling his little face in her hands and pushing back his enormous amount of hair.

 

"Please what?"

 

"Please don't start. I can't take all these compliments that you are throwing my way." Laura crawled over to other side of the couch and started to clean up. She couldn't sit still and talk to JC. She had to keep busy or she would likely let something happen.

 

"A friend can't tell you that he misses you?"

 

"No." Laura let her hand fall and slap against the side of her thigh in frustration. "Because I tend to want to twist it around to suite my needs and my heart can't take it.

 

"And what is it you need, Laura?"

 

"You already know what I need. And I'm not going to stand here and tell you, just so that you feel satisfied in hearing it come from my lips." Laura grabbed her shoes and sat on the couch to put them on.

 

"What if it's something that could be."

 

"It can never be, JC...Not anymore." She looked up at him from tying her laces. "Don't you understand that?"

 

"What if I'm saying that I miss you more than just a friend. Do you understand that?"

 

They were just inches away from each other on the couch, but it felt like thousands of miles to Laura. She slapped her knees as she stood up ad grabbed the baby's diaper bag. "Then I would tell you to save that for your fiance when she comes home to you. You can't keep doing this." Tears were beginning to fill her eyes. "You've made up your mind. Now you have to live with your decision, Josh. This back and forth bullshit is ridiculous. And I am sure as hell not going to be the other woman."

 

"I don't want you to do be." JC went to grab her hand but Laura moved back away from him. "Well, I am sure as hell not going to be second choice...Especially to Rachel. A year down the road you may realize that she might not be the person you thought she was. Something may happen that will change your relationship forever. It may even cause you two to separate forever. But I am not going to be there waiting on you with open arms when and if that day finally comes."

 

"And what if I am feeling that way right now? It's not too late...Is it?"

 

Laura walked over and grabbed the baby's burping blanket that was resting on his shoulder.  She smoothed out his collar. "This is just pre-wedding jitters talking. You'll feel very differently soon."

 

JC took her chin in his hand and lifted her face towards his, "And if I don't."

 

Laura smiled at him as tears rolled down her cheek. She cradled his face in her hands, just as she did Buddy's moments earlier. Looking deep into his solemn, crystal blue eyes she said, "I know you love me. And I'm more than positive you know that I would die for you, but as I stand here in front of you, looking around this house and at how everything in here and-" She paused bringing her hands down in between their chests and clasping them together, trying to choke back the emotional that was screaming to get out. She took one hand and balled it up near her own chest and placed her free hand flat upon his chest, "...And in here have changed. I feel it's too late for us. Because you may love me." She began to sob lowly, "But you didn't love me enough." she took his hand and brought it to her chest, placing it over her heart. "And that's why this is so empty right now. Because you're no longer there...It may not ever be as complete as it once was, and I'll have to live with that."

 

They both were surprised by the sound of keys in the front door. Laura sniffled and wiped away her tears. She moved away from JC and looked around to make sure she had gathered up everything. Rachel entered the house and Nikki ran over to Laura holding out his arms for her to hold him. JC picked him up and Laura let him hold onto her finger as she said hello. The baby leaned towards her face and let his mouth fall onto her cheek in his own attempt to kiss her.

 

"Just wait until you really learn how to give kisses, Nik Nik. You'll have the girls all over you, baby." Laura gave him a quick kiss on his chubby little cheek before walking back into the bedroom and grabbed the baby.

 

Rachel didn't know what to make of it all. Laura looked as though she'd been crying and JC seemed to be stunned about something. She decided to try and be the understanding fiance today and just give JC his moment of privacy with his daughter. She grabbed up Nikolas and took him into the kitchen to feed him his supper.

 

JC walked Laura to the car and kissed his daughter goodnight as he buckled in her car seat.

JC walked over to the passenger side of the car where Laura was standing. With one hand in his back pocket and the other hand going through his hair he took a deep breath and asked, "Can we please talk about this more tomorrow?"

 

"No. The whole 'Let's be friends' thing isn't going to work. For her sake, I know we can still be friendly towards one another without actually being friends. I've moved on, JC. You should too." she gently patted him on the chest before getting into the car.

 

"You've moved on? With who?  Your ex, Rick?" he spat back

 

Laura never responded and JC didn't understand why.  But as she was pulling out of the driveway things seemed to become more evident with each passing second. Right up until that very moment, he hadn't noticed the diamond encrusted ring that was planted solidly around her ring finger. The realization hit him like a freight train.

Chapter 28 by DesperateThoughts

"Ricky!" Rachel cooed as he brother walked in the front door and hugged her. "You're two whole weeks early for the wedding."

 

"I know. I came to town with Laura. She had some business to take care of with Jerry. She asked me to tag along."

 

"Oh..." Rachel acted as though she didn't care.

 

JC walked down the stairs from his private gym, "Rick."

 

"JC."

 

Never smiling, both men gave each other "The Nod". You know the one. Where men mentally say hello or acknowledge each other without waving.

 

Rachel and her brother sat down on the couch and caught up on with one another while JC tried to make himself scarce. Things between the two men hadn't been back to normal since their fight at the club. Even though it was in the past and apology upon apology was handed down, the two were never the same. JC went off to the bedroom to take a quick shower.

 

As he was in the kitchen grabbing himself something to eat, he could hear his fiance and her brother loudly talking in the other room. His ear perked up just a little bit anytime Laura's name was mentioned.

 

"...Yeah, she wanted a small one, but I personally thought she should have a larger one."

JC assumed they were talking about engagement ring sizes and decided that was not the conversation he wanted to eavesdrop in on. He grabbed a bottled water from the fridge and headed towards closet to grab his jacket and keys. As he was walking into the living room to say goodbye he heard Rachel laugh lightly at something her brother had said before digging for more gossip, "So are you and Laura...You know...yet?"

 

"Well I want to wait till after we get-"

 

To spare himself anymore details JC interrupted, "Rachel. I'm going to pick up the baby from Laura to take her to see my dad. I'll be back in a little while."

 

"Ummm...Okay, swetie."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Yo, Laura!" Justin called to her from down the hall. "I'm running out for a bit. When Hallie get's out of the shower tell her that I couldn't wait any longer. It was imperative that I left now. She'll understand why."

 

"What's with the cryptic messages?" Laura asked.

 

"Not cryptic. I just don't want to waste anymore time explaining. See you later." Justin mooshed up Laura's hair before heading out the front door.

 

Not even ten seconds later the doorbell rings and Laura takes her time to answer it, "See Justin, being a smart ass will get you nowh-"

 

"Hey." JC smiled down at her.

 

"Umm..hi." Laura almost smiled back at him but remembered the last time they talked.

 

She looked down and recognized that he was wearing the shirt she had bought him for his birthday back when they were still together. She looked back up at him and was about to speak, until memories of his smile rushed through her mind of happier times. Times when he would walk in the house and he'd be awaiting a much needed hug and kiss. Times when just his smile could brighten up her day or cause so much heat between them that the only thing they could do was give in to their needs. Times when his smile was the first thing she saw when she opened her eyes most mornings. And of course times when it spoke volumes to her about the way he felt. Was it the same smile? Or was it just wishful thinking on her part?

 

He noticed what appeared to be a confused look on her face, "I'm here to pick up Lacey. Taking her to see my father...Remember?"

 

"Oh...Yeah" she replied snapping out of her gaze. She motioned for him to come in and went through all the instructions for the day as she packed the baby's bag. JC was overwhelmed by it all. How many hours between feedings, how to heat up bottles, what type of formula that she was only allowed to drink. It was all too much for his as he sat on the couch delicately placing his three month old daughter gently down in her car seat.

"So what do you have to do at two o'clock, JC?" she quizzed.

 

JC looked up towards the ceiling trying to remember, "Put her down for a nap?" he guessed.

 

"Josh, please. She get's a bottle a two."

 

"You're going to have to come with me, Laura. I'm not going to remember all this."

 

"Yes you can. You're mom will be there. She'll know what to do."

 

"No she went out shopping with her friend. You know how she is when she goes shopping, I don't know when she is coming back."

 

Laura stood there for a minute struggling with the decision of whether or not she should go with him. Reluctantly she grabbed her jacket off the couch and placed the diaper bag over her shoulder and followed JC to the door. He stopped short and placed the blanket over the baby before turning to Laura and thanking her for coming with him.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Where is my niece!" Heather called out as JC and Laura entered the front door of his parents' house. As they walked into the family room, both Heather and her father were surprised to see JC ad Laura there together. Heather got up from the couch and gave Laura a long hug before scooping the baby up from her car seat and taking Lacey back over to the couch to meet her grandpa.

 

The four of them sat around talking mostly about the baby and work, trying to skate past the issue of JC's upcoming wedding to Rachel. But it was hard to get past the subject when there were wedding magazines and arrangements spread across the room. Laura could tell that Karen was going all out to help Rachel plan the wedding. She gave a good impression of a woman who wasn't phased by it all, but deep inside she was dying to get out of that room and away from reminders of his upcoming nuptials.

 

An hour later, JC's mom walked into the living room with about 7 bags in her arms. Laura jumped up to help her and found it refreshing that Karen hugged her tightly and kissed her cheek as she said hello.

 

"I ordered us some lunch from Gaetano's deli but I forgot that you were coming over sweetie, so you might as well run out and get you and Laura something to eat."

 

JC turned around and asked Laura what she wanted. JC had forgotten that she was a picky eater, but soon remembered when she gave him a run down of what she didn't want to eat. Just as JC was about to open his mouth to speak, Laura cut him off, "I'll just come with you."

 

The two of them shared a few laughs while driving around trying to find a place they could agree on to eat. They finally agreed on pizza and stopped at a small pizzeria nearby. They sat in a booth by the window and both ordered personal pan pizza's and sat talking more and more as they waited on food.

 

"Need anything else?" the waitress asked as she set down JC's pizza.

 

"No, this is perfect," he smiled looking over at Laura.

 

JC finished his pizza almost in an instant, while Laura struggled to cool off the hot cheese by continuously blowing on it. He sat back against the seat and watched her, "Can I ask you something?"

 

"Shoot." she replied.

 

Defeated in her attempts to eat the slice like it was intended, she grabbed a knife and fork and went to work. he smiled to himself, watching her. "Would you think of me as an asshole if I told you I wanted you back?"

 

The fork stopped short of her mouth. "You're joking right?"

 

"No." he said as he wiped his mouth.  "I am as serious as I was the last time we talked."

 

Laura placed down her food, "You're getting married in less than a month, JC. This is just pre-wedding jitters talking. I'm sure you're nervous, but don't be. Everything is going to be ok." she smiled patting him on his knee.

 

He grabbed her hand and held it there.  "I'm not nervous about anything. I've had these thoughts for a long time now."

 

Laura looked around and noticed that there were many ears around them and didn't want to get into that discussion out in public. "Let's talk about this later." she stated looking around.

 

JC reluctantly agreed. 

 

The drive back to his parents' house quiet. And the ride home was the same until JC pulled into Justin's driveway. The baby was in the backseat fast asleep. JC turned the car off and turned to face Laura who was about to get out of the car. He grabbed her arm lightly to stop her.

 

"What is it?"

 

"I need to know what you think about what I asked you earlier."

 

"What do you want to know, JC?" she asked, turning her body to face him.

 

"I want to know if you'll be there for me afterwards..."

 

Laura shook her head and huffed to herself, "What happened, JC? Did she cheat on you again? Things not going well at the Chasez ranch?"

 

"Nothing like that at all. I finally realized what I want now. And it's you and my daughter."

 

Laura was infuriated by the fact that he was just not realizing what he wanted.  Like this was all a game of trial and error and he figured out that the grass wasn't that much greener on the other side.

 

"There is no guarantee that you won't change your mind again tomorrow, JC. This had happened before so you can see why I don't believe you!" she whispered loudly, not trying to wake up Lacey.

 

JC lifted his hand to touch her face, "I love you, Laura."

 

When he said those three words, they seemed genuine. Laura didn't know if it was her heart  only what it wanted to hear or if he was indeed true in what he'd said. She didn't want to take any chances with another heart break, "And? You love Rachel as well. That's nothing new. You've made your bed, now lie in it, JC."

 

Laura turned to leave again, but JC hit the lock button on the doors. She turned around glaring at him. Hallie could see them from the window and decided to go outside to retrieve the baby before things got out of hand. She walked over to the car and gently knocked on the window.  JC unlocked the back door. As she opened the door, she could hear Laura up front almost yelling, "Yeah right, the fuck you care...Especially about anyone except yourself.  Selfish bastard!"

 

Neither had noticed Hallie much as she took the baby back into the house. They were too busy going back and forth with one another. JC was very calm as he tried to explain his side. Laura was the only hostile one, as she cursed him out about his behavior throughout the entire ordeal. She got out of the car and walked around the trunk waiting for him to open it so she could grab the baby's bag. He walked back and stopped short of turning the key and looked deep into her eyes. Laura looked up towards the sky to avoid any eye contact, "Look JC, this will be the last thing I say on the matter. This back ad forth bullshit is old and tired! You can't keep doing this me...I won't let you. What's going to happen the next time Rachel decides to show up on the doorstep needing you? I can't take that kind of chance. For my sake and for Lacey's sake. Now I'm sure this is just wedding jitters. You'll be fine once the two of you walk down the isle." Laura lightly pushed his hand away and opened the trunk herself, grabbing the bag and slamming the trunk closed.

 

Leaning her weight against the trunk of the car, she took a deep breath closing her eyes, trying not to envision the two of them in a church. JC moved in closer to her. His face now inches away from her ear, "You invade my thoughts every day, Laura. I love you. Please tell me that when I go home and tell Rachel it's over, I can leave knowing that you will be there."

 

Trying to compose herself she looked at him and said, "I won't be there waiting for you, JC."

 

"I can't live this li-"

 

Laura cut him off and said, "It's too late." before making her way up to house.

 

She hurried into the house and shut door, before leaning up against it and trying to catch her breath. She so desperately wanted to run outside and stop him from leaving.  Her heart was pounding against her chest like it was trying to break free to run after him. 

 

Hallie walked out into the living and could see her best friend sitting on the couch with her face in her hands.  "What happened?"

 

Laura looked up at her friend with tears running down her cheeks. Hallie found a seat next to her and rubbed her back gently. "He wants me back." Laura cried.

 

"Then why are you crying?"

 

"I have a daughter to think about now. He can't just come and go in and out of my life as he pleases, Hallie. One minute he can't stand to be in the same room with me and the next he loves me?"

 

"You keep overlooking the fact that the main reason JC went back was because they had a son together. He wanted to be a real father. Now that Lacey is here. Things have changed. This whole situation could be something completely different from what I am thinking, but that's how I see it right now."

 

Laura rolled her eyes, "He's probably having problems with Rachel and is looking for a way out."

 

"Maybe he is, but do you see the way he looks at you? You can't mistake that for anything else but love."

 

"He doesn't love me."

 

Hallie shook her head standing up to leave the room.  Laura wasn't trying to listen to what she had to say and Hallie wasn't going to continue to talk to a brick wall, "No one is perfect. We make mistakes. Don't let your pride get in the way of what you feel."

 

"I can't"

 

Hallie left her in her own thoughts and went to check on the baby. As she was walking back into the kitchen, she heard Justin walk into the front door yelling, "Hallie! We got that bitch now! Just wait till JC see's what I got."

 

Hallie motioned for him to shut up, but it was too late. Laura walked out towards the two of them and asked, "Wait till JC see's what?"

 

Justin stopped dead in his tracks, "I thought you were still out with JC."

 

Hallie smacked herself in the head looking off to the side. "You might as well tell her now."

 

"Tell me what?" Laura asked.

 

Justin and Hallie had her sit down. Laura was confused, "What the hell is going on here, guys?"

 

Justin sat down across from her holding a large manila envelope in his hand, "Back before you moved to Chicago, me and Hallie were out at the store and saw Rachel talking to some woman."

 

"So?"

 

"Hallie was curious about Rachel's friend, because she had on a nurses uniform."

 

"Well Rachel did tape an episode of ER back then." she stated matter-of-factly.

 

"I didn't think about it anymore until I was at JC's engagement party and he pointed her out and told me that Rachel had only met the girl a couple weeks ago, when it reality I'd seen them together months ago."

 

Hallie and Justin went on to explain everything about what little Jonathan had heard up to the day that Justin confronted Jerry's private investigator after his date with Cassandra. Justin opened the envelope. "We don't have proof that she and Rachel tampered with those results. She covered her tracks well, but the investigator took these, " he said placing the black and white photos on the table.

 

Laura looked down at the assortment of surveillance photos with her jaw hung open in shock. There were stills of Rachel handing Cassandra an envelope full of cash on 4 different occasions, as well as photos of Cassandra leaving work from the same clinic that JC and Rachel had the baby tested. There were also pictures of Rachel and Cassandra arguing in that same parking lot. The last set of pictures were of Cassandra following closely behind Rachel on different sets and finally ending up in different small parts for shows and movies. Justin continued to speak, "We can't be positive about this until JC gets the baby re-tested somewhere else. I am going to call him to meet up so he can sees these himself. He has to know the truth."

 

"No. You can't do that, Justin!" Laura demanded.

Chapter 29 by DesperateThoughts

You could see the confusion and anger in both Hallie and Justin's eyes. "Why the fuck not?" he asked bitterly.

 

Laura stood up and paced the room before looking to the two of them to speak, "For as long as I've known, Rachel, other people have cleaned up her messes. If you go and tell him about this, all she is going to do is run away again, leaving us to pick up the pieces. It's going to yet again, be an unresolved issue between the two of them. He needs closure. If this is true, he needs to hear it from her lips, not ours."

 

"You know she will never tell him the truth, Laura." Hallie spat back rolling her eyes.

 

"Look, she is not my favorite person, but I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. If she doesn't tell him the truth, go ahead with your plan."

 

"They are going to be walking down the isle together in less than two weeks. You really expect that bitch to go up to JC and be like "Oh honey, by the way, Nikki's not your son? Come on Laura!" Justin was pissed.

 

After all their efforts, he couldn't figure out why she wasn't bolting out the door to tell JC the truth. This was her chance to get back the love of her life. From where he and Hallie stood, she was letting the opportunity slip through her fingers. Laura knew deep down inside that the chances of Rachel confessing the truth to JC were slim to none. But she also knew that Rachel wasn't completely heartless. She had to figure out a way to make her see the light.

 

~~~~~~Two Days Later~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Lance sat at the table in the small cafe, messing around with his two-way pager before shutting it off and returning to his burger. He and JC had decided to have lunch together that afternoon before both of them became too busy with other things to hang out alone together. Lance was as serious as JC when it came to business. The two of them could always talk about things going on with the business. Between all the pranks and immaturity of the other three men, they balanced it all out. Lance glanced over occasionally during conversation and noticed that JC seemed to be somewhere else, just nodding and agreeing with him anytime Lance would speak. "Something wrong, JC?"

 

JC just shook his head and continued to fork around in his food. He hadn't been able to think of anything much except Laura for the past 48 hours. Lance assumed it was women troubles. That was the only time JC got that lost and confused look on his face.

"Are you going to tell me what's bothering you, or are you going to mope around for the rest of the afternoon."

 

"I'm living a lie, dude..."

 

Lance sat back and listened to JC vent about the current events in his life...About how lately when he's sitting home with Rachel, all he can do is think about how much he wishes she were Laura. He explained to his best friend that even though he cared about Rachel, he was truly in love with Laura. "I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to get back together with her. I know I was trying to do the right thing by being with my son, but I have a daughter now."

JC's whole mindset for marrying Rachel had been thrown out the window the moment he found out that the love of his life was pregnant. "I don't want to have any regrets 20 years from now, because I gave up the best thing that ever happened to me. Kids feed off of emotions and they sense things that we don't even know exist. I don't want him growing up miserable because deep down inside, that's how I feel. I love Laura. But she doesn't want me anymore. She's so over me, that she and Rick went out and go engaged."

 

Lance set down his burger and sipped his coke before speaking, ""Well what did you expect JC? That she was going to pine over your forever?"

 

Lance felt he needed to reiterate the fact that at the slightest sign of trouble, JC ran out the door...Never giving Laura a chance to explain her side, nor giving her a chance to defend all the accusations that were being thrown her way. "Instead of focusing your anger on the person responsible for this whole mess, you took it out on the one person who stood by you through thick and thin. You said some pretty hurtful shit to her and about her for that matter. If I were her, I wouldn't want you back either, Josh."

 

JC just sat there nodding his head in agreement as he fiddled with his napkin. "Well, at least I tried right?"

 

A small wad of foreign material flew across the table, hitting JC square in the nose. "Try harder! That is, if you love her like you claim. She and Rick aren't married yet. Do whatever it takes to make her see that you are willing to do anything to get her back. You can't just throw up your hands after one failed attempt."

 

JC just sat there only half-heartedly listening to his best friend's advice. Lance could tell that JC was taking it all with a grain a salt. If Laura didn't come around, he knew that JC would stay with Rachel...If only to make sure that at least one of his kids had their father around.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Rachel continued to gossip with her makeup artist as she was getting ready for the next take on set. The trailer door flung open and neither woman noticed until it slammed shut, almost making the trailer shake at the force behind it. "Can you excuse us please?" Laura asked the woman, while glaring over at Rachel.

 

The woman could tell that she meant business and was about to walk out until Rachel called after her to stay.

 

"I need to speak to Ms. Stafford alone!" Laura yelled, her face red with anger.

 

Rachel was frightened by her tone and nodded for the woman to go. Laura locked the door behind her and walked over to the chair, starring at Rachel in the mirror.

 

"Who the hell do you think you are coming into my dressing room, like you own the place?" Rachel glared as she brushed her hair.

 

Laura put her hand on the back of Rachel's chair and spun her around to look her square in the eyes. "How long did you think you could keep up your little act? You didn't think I'd eventually find out what you were up to?"

 

Rachel rolled her eyes and went to turn back around and finish her make-up by herself. "What are you talking about now?"

 

"You've done some low down and dirty shit, but this is heinous. I would have thought you loved your son enough, not to pull him into any of your games."

 

Rachel spun around in her chair and lifted her brush towards Laura, "Don't you talk about my son."

 

Laura snatched the brush from Rachel's hand and threw it across the trailer. "Why not? You obviously don't care about him or you wouldn't be trying to push off JC as his real father!"

 

With that, Rachel froze. She didn't say a word. The look in her eyes said everything and it was all the confirmation Laura needed to know that Nikolas was not JC's son. She needed to sit down. In her heart Laura prayed she was wrong. She hoped that Rachel would be adamant about Nikolas' paternity. Almost in a whisper, Laura looked up at Rachel and said, "How could you do something like that...Not only to JC but to your own son?  What have you turned into?"

 

Tears were forming in Rachel's eyes. But as if by magic they never fell down her cheeks. She took a deep breath and starred at her own reflection in the mirror and then over at Laura's, "I'm not going to try and sit here and explain it to you. You'd never understand, but just know I had my reasons. You may think of them as idiotic, but to me they aren't."

 

"You are so fucked up it's not even funny. Do you know how many lives you've ripped apart because of this? And as much as I want to kick your ass right now, I think that this is punishment enough for you. To know that you are waking up every morning, telling lie after lie to the person that you claim you love so dearly. You actually are going to let your son grow up without ever knowing his real father. And God have mercy on you if Nikki ever finds out that his own mother, the main person he seeks for answers in life, is a liar...Well I just can't think of what that will do to him."

 

Laura stood up and was about to show Rachel the surveillance photos, but decided against it. She didn't need to show them to her anymore. Rachel had already confirmed the questions looming in her mind. She also wanted to ensure that if Rachel did confess the truth to JC, her reasoning wouldn't be to tell him before everyone else did. She stuffed the envelope in her bag and walked up behind Rachel, who was breathing deeply and struggling not to shed any tears. She starred at her ex-best friend's reflection in the mirror and said, "You've done some terrible things to me in the past, and somehow, I can still see the good in you. I just wish that when you looked in the mirror each day, you could see it too. You need to tell JC the truth or in the end that good will disappear."

 

Rachel watched her as she walked towards the door and asked, "He'll hate me. I can't bear to let that happen. So, what do you expect me to do?"

 

Laura was now halfway out the door, her foot inching off the last step, "I expect you to be a real woman and tell him the truth. For once, I just want you to deal with the consequences of your actions." Laura replied softly before leaving Rachel alone in the trailer.

 

 

PART 2

 

Justin and Hallie were getting antsy. It had been three days since Laura had talked to Rachel and there was no sign of her having a guilty conscience about anything. Justin went to call JC, but Hallie stopped him, explaining that JC and Laura were about to hop on a plane to perform their single together and it wouldn't be the right time to lay all that information on him. Justin reluctantly agreed before packing his bag to go with them. JC had asked the rest of the group to tag along. This was the first solo effort on JC's part and he needed all the support he could find.

 

He walked into the house leafing through the mail. He noticed a couple suitcases sitting by the door and wondered to himself which movie Rachel was acting in this time. He walked into the kitchen and grabbed a soda before making his way into Nikki's room to say hello. But there was no sign of his son. He walked into the back bedroom to change and noticed that they were not in there either. He needed to talk to Rachel before she left and knew that if she didn't come home soon, their conversation would never happen or be rushed along as she booked it to an awaiting limo for a flight. As he walked back into the living room, he jumped when he saw Rachel sitting on the couch.

 

"Hey." he greeted.

 

"Hi." Rachel responded almost in a whisper.

 

"Rachel, I need to talk to you before you head out of town. It's really important. So please let me get all this out before you have to rush out of here for work again."

 

Rachel nodded her head and waited for him to speak. He found it rather odd that she was so quiet. JC went and sat down next to her on the couch, "I love Nikki very much and would do anything for him, but I can't…I can't marry you. I'm not in love with you. And I would think that you wouldn't want to commit your entire life to someone who didn't share the same feelings you have. As much as I've tried to do this, I just can't, Rachel. I love Laura. I will till the day I die."

 

Tears began to stream down her face. JC placed his hands on the sides of her head and wiped away her tears with his thumb. "What we shared was incredible! And I love you, but I'm not in love with you."

 

Rachel nodded and sniffled, grabbing a tissue to wipe her eyes. This seemed to be way too easy. JC pushed her chin up to look into her eyes. "You don't have to worry. Nikki will be well taken care of. I'll get you guys a place until you're able to find something you like. We'll set something up so that Nikki can be with me as much as possible."

 

Rachel got up from the couch and cleared her throat, "There no need for that."

 

"I know you can manage on your own, but this is something that I want to do."

 

"I know...But no. There is really is no need. I need you tell you something as well, JC...Nikloas..."

 

JC automatically assumed something had happened. Rachel was way too quiet and agreeable on everything he'd said. "What's wrong? Did something happen? Where is he?"

Rachel tried to calm his fears. "He's fine. He's with my brother at a hotel. I've got to meet them there in another hour." She cleared her throat once more, choking back the tears. JC...Nikolas isn't your son."

 

"What?" The words kept playing back over and over like an echo in his head as the reality of it all sunk it.

 

His instincts had been right, when he hadn't felt as attached to Nikolas as he'd become with Lacey. Anger pulsed through his veins like fire as he sat there thinking back upon everything that had happened. And everything she had said. All the lies. All the smiles and laughter. His face flushed of all its color and suddenly turned bright red, as if all the blood had rushed to his head.

 

Rachel could see that JC was about to go off, "I know you have got to be extremely upset right now, but please try to calm down and hear my side."

 

His legs shook and he let his head fall down below his shoulders as he clasped his hands together, breathing deeply to prevent himself from becoming violent. She found a seat next to him and tried to console him by placing her hand on his back. JC jumped up and began to pace the room, taking deeper breaths this time, shaking his head from side to side. "Don't you fuckin' touch me."

 

"I knew."

 

"You knew what?!" He asked loudly.

 

"I've always known about you and Laura. I just diluted myself into thinking that it was all in my head. If I didn't see it, then it wasn't true...Until I heard your speech and until I sat back and really watched what was going on right in front of my face. The marks on your necks, the exchanges of loving glances, the whispers when I was around...I knew...Ever since we were young I have envied her. I've always been jealous of how talented

she is. Her talent is almost effortless. With me it's been a major struggle. I felt if I could just hold onto her, maybe that thing she has would rub off on me. But it never did. I was jealous and I wanted to prove to her that she wasn't going to have you too. You were mine. You were the only thing that I didn't have to work at. Loving you was effortless. And if I wasn't with you anymore, she surely wasn't going to be. Plus problems with Jerry. I wanted out..."

 

JC couldn't believe his ears. Rachel went on to explain it all from the moment Nikolas became sick. She and Jerry had been at the clinic waiting for some word on Nikki. When the doctors came back and said Jerry's blood type didn't match the baby's. Jerry adamantly stated he was going to sue everyone within earshot for their mix-up. Because it had to be a mix-up. There was no way that the little boy he'd raised as his own, belonged to another man. Rachel had walked down to the fountain to get a sip of water and overheard a woman talking on her cell phone about how she'd screwed up their test results. Rachel confronted the woman about it and discovered that the woman who JC now knew as Cassandra, was actually on her way to tell the doctor and lose her job once Jerry found out. But Rachel stopped her. This was the open door that she needed. Cassandra was her key. Rachel instructed her to keep her mouth shut and saved her job. As repayment for her favor, Rachel had Cassandra change JC's paternity results to read that he was Nikki's real father. "You should have seen the hatred in Jerry's eyes when he saw those results. He just suddenly went cold."

 

JC couldn't help but chuckle sarcastically to himself. "And here I thought I was angry about the entire part where you lied to me about Nikolas. But the reason why you did it? Are you fucked up in the head?!" he yelled, pushing the coffee table over to clear a path to go after Rachel who was suddenly scared to be in the same room with him. She'd never seen so much anger in her entire life.

 

JC charged at Rachel, who was walking backwards to get away from him, until she found herself against a wall with nowhere to run. "You're a fuckin' psychopath! I fuckin' gave up Laura for you? What the hell was I thinking?!" He pounded his fist into the wall next to her head. The force behind it was so strong that he eventually pounded a hole into the wall, causing his knuckles to bleed. Realizing his own strength, JC retreated to the other side of the room, fearing that he would do damage not only to the rest of the house, but to Rachel as well.

 

Running his fingers through his hair with one hand and the other pressed firmly against his hip, he looked out the window and over at the house that Laura used to call her own. "And now I can't even get her back. She fuckin' doesn't want to have anything to do with me. I have to be away from my daughter because some…WHORE...Decided she was jealous of her best friends life and wanted it for herself. She's even fuckin' engaged to your brother. How ironic is that?" he laughed to himself, shaking his head.

 

"I love you, JC. I'm so sorry for what I've done. It was ne-"

 

Tears were streaming down his face as he looked at her and turned away, resting his hands on the fireplace, "Just go, Rachel. Just leave, before I kill you."

JC had never been so cold, and something in his voice told her that he was serious. She walked over to the front door and grabbed her bags and looked back over at JC who was holding a picture of him and Nikki in his hands. She needed to say something, but couldn't find the right words. All she could hear was the sound of Laura's voice in her head saying, "Be a real woman and tell him truth..."

 

"They're not engaged."

 

His whipped his head around, "Huh?"

 

"Laura and Rick...They're not engaged. They're only friends. The ring that you saw belonged to her grandmother. It's a family heirloom. I had stolen it from her mother's room when we were little. I recently returned it to Mrs. Charles. That's the only finger it would fit on until Rick gets a chance to have it resized for her."

 

Laura leaned down and picked up her bags and glanced over at him, "She loves you too much to move on with anyone else...Or to even let someone like me continue to hurt you the way that I did. I truly am sorry, JC." she cried before turning and walking out the door.

 

Chapter 30 by DesperateThoughts
The large studio was packed with fans and reporters waiting to get their first listen at the brand new single written, produced, and recorded by two of the hottest names in the music industry. Rumor upon rumor had been flying around about this duo and the fans as well as the public wanted to know what the real story was. But they would all soon be disappointed. During the set-up, while JC and Laura were backstage going through make-up and wardrobe changes, public relations and management for both sides came out with a list of questions that could not be asked during the special, live, nationally broadcast "Wayne Brady Show."

This show was said to be one that would set his proper place next to his predecessor, Rosie O'Donnell. The show was to run as follows. Michael Stewart would come out and do an interview with Wayne.  Then both JC and Laura would come out and go through the whole question and answer interview as well. The fans and press members would then be given a chance to ask a few questions of their own, before Laura and JC would end the show with the performance of their single. Seemed like a piece of cake. Oh but how wrong we would be…

Wayne, of course, started the show with his usual comedic banter about current events before giving a preview of the show to come. He also raced out into the audience to show the viewers at home that not only was JC there on the show, but his four other band mates were there as well. Wayne, Justin, Lance, Joey, and Chris had a few laughs before they cut to a commercial and got ready for the interview section of the show.

After Michael Stewarts interview, JC was the called out on stage. He was somewhat dressed up, wearing a casual style Armani outfit that was picked out for him by the wardrobe team for the show. He and Wayne sat around joking and laughing about different incidences on tour with Nsync as well as talking more about JC's other independent projects and artists he'd been working with recently. And with that came the introduction of Laura. JC hadn't seen her since 8am the previous morning when they breezed through a rehearsal of the song.

He again tried to express his love for her. She rolled her eyes at the nerve he had to come up to her and say that while still being engaged to Rachel. "...You're so fucking selfish, JC! It's always about you. Never about anyone else. 'I'm in pain. I'm hurting. I've been betrayed...Well what about me, JC?"

After that Laura made herself scarce, so as not to bump into him, causing another argument. Matter of fact, JC thought to himself, Justin and Hallie were also suddenly unavailable. The next morning, they'd all arrived at the studio separately and had been in different dressing rooms the entire time. Justin and Joey went backstage briefly to wish him good luck. JC informed them of his breakup with Rachel and Justin felt relieved that he didn't have the be the bearer of bad news.

Being the loud mouth he is, Justin went back and told the rest of the guys as they were sitting in the audience waiting for the show to start. Hallie wanted to go backstage to tell Laura, but was unable to leave her seat once they got started. "Does she know yet?" Hallie whispered to Joey who was sitting next her.

"No. He didn't get a chance to tell her yet. He will after the show." Joey smiled.

When Laura walked out on stage, Wayne began to whistle loudly. She was wearing a long green gown that had a long spilt coming up the front side of her thigh. She blushed as she hugged Wayne lightly. JC got up and moved to the right so that Laura could sit on the couch closer to Wayne's desk. He didn't waste anytime showing everyone a clip of her performing at the Pussy Cat Dolls benefit show. The camera panned over to Justin who was now turning red at the sight of Laura sitting on his lap, seductively teasing his ear with her tongue.

They talked a lot about her recent work with Christina Aguilera and talked about the decision to get out of the studio and behind a microphone.
Wayne looked down at his cards and smiled, "Performing isn't the only new thing in your life though. I hear that you also have entered the world of motherhood?"

"Yes. I have a baby girl in my life now. Her name is Lacey."

Wayne went on to congratulate her and they exchanged a few stories about how he and Laura both were new to parenthood. JC wanted to get in on the conversation, but knew that he was specifically instructed by Laura not to mention that Lacey was his daughter.

Soon came questions from the audience. One question in particular focused on Laura and JC's working relationship as well as their friendship. "Has your friendship suffered because of the stress involved in working closely together?"

Laura answered first, "Well, we occasionally disagree and bicker like any other person would with their close friend. But I personally think that because he is my friend and I know him very well, I don't have the problems that most people have when they sit down and try to work with people they may have just met."

"Yeah, I agree." JC chimed in looking over at Laura. "Our personalities may clash at times, but the tiny things that are different about us is what makes the music so enjoyable. And the fact that no matter how big of an argument we may get into, in the end...The music will always bring us back together."

Laura knew that JC was hinting at something and didn't want him to think he could gain an inch with her, "I'm not saying that it was all cookies and cream working with JC. Because at times he did have that 'It's all about me,' rock star mentality. The one that screams, 'I know everything and it needs to be done my way or else'."

"Yeah, Laura has felt the need to call me selfish on a few occasions." he said sarcastically remembering back to the day before.

The girl in the audience jumped at the chance to ask a second question, "Oh. Oh. Oh...Speaking of which. That is my favorite song. Do you think I could hear you sing a few bars from it? Acapella?"

"I can do you one better." JC smiled at her before looking over at Laura. "But I think I need to ask the guys if they will come up here and help me with this one."

With that Justin, Joey, Chris, and Lance reluctantly made their way down onto the stage while crew members dashed around to get things prepared for the impromptu performance.

 Laura wondered to herself why JC had looked at her the way he did. Wayne entertained the audience and spoke to Laura a little more while the other four men got hooked up to mic's.

After the commercial break, Wayne did a quick recap and introduced the guys, "This is an unexpected treat ladies and gentlemen. We are getting two acts for the price of one. We have Nsync here live performing a song that JC actually wrote for their 'Celebrity' album. It's called 'Selfish'."

Everyone began to clap and scream loudly as the music began to play. Laura relaxed a little, happy that the camera's were briefly focused on the guys, instead of her. She swayed along to the music as Justin began to sing, "I just don't understand..."

Every now and then he would turn and look at her and she couldn't help but wonder if Justin were personalizing the song to her. Once the chorus was over it was now JC's turn to take over lead vocals. A few bars into the second verse, it was quite evident that his attention was no longer focused on the audience and cameras, but solely on Laura.

Justin, Joey, and Chris looked at each other with confusion in their eyes. Lance seemed to be the only one, who knew what was happening. He had that look in his eyes. The one where you can tell that he is really in the moment. His hand frequently lifted up from his side and towards her as he moved to the beat. That all too familiar romantic move he does to the audience and camera's any chance he gets.

"...Cause if love is a crime, Hey yeah
Then punish me
I would die for you
Cause I don't want to live without you
what can I do

JC closed his eyes and let the music take over as he lifted his head towards the ceiling and belted out the song. During the chorus JC hand gestures were pointed towards Laura and Justin could see everyone's curiosity in what was going on before their very eyes. He decided to step in to make it all seem deliberate. He looked towards Joey, Chris, and Lance to follow his lead as he walked towards Laura, singing the bridge, "Why do you keep us apart? Why won't you give up your heart? You know that we're meant to be together!"
Laura and Wayne sat there frozen as Justin made his way up the steps and over to Laura, who was sitting on the couch glaring at him. JC made his way to the front and took Laura's hand in his. The audience went banana's.

And why do you push me away
All that I want is to give you love
Forever and ever and ever

Justin went and took a seat next to Laura who was now covering her face which was now 10 shades of red from all the attention not only from the guys but the audience and cameras.

You can call me selfish
But all I want is your love

Wayne sat back smiling at how well the performance was going, never knowing what was really going on underneath the surface. JC got down on his knee's and let his head fall into her lap while he lightly tugged on Laura's dress. He looked deep into her eyes, as if he were begging, and let his eyes drift shut as he sang his heart out to her.

you can call me hopeless, hopeless
Because I'm hopelessly in love
You can me unperfect
But who's perfect
Tell me what do I gotta do baby
To prove that I'm the only one for you
Ohhh
Selfishly I'm
In love with you…

Justin, Lance, Chris, and Joey all made their way out into the audience to find a special girl to sing to. JC stayed where he was and looked longingly at Laura. All she could do was stare back. He was on national television, in front of millions of people, making a fool out of himself.

Selfishly I'm
In love with you
Cause I've searched my soul

JC slowly stood up looking down at her smiling at her as he chimed in, "I've searched my soul down deep inside."

Selfishly I'm
In love with you

JC leaned back, with his eyes shut tightly and lifted the mic towards his lips and blasted the song away, "I'm so in love with you!"

I'll prove that I'm the only one
For You

Coming down from his high he looked down at Laura and let the back of his hand slowly glide down her cheek and under her chin, "So what's wrong with being selfish, selfish selfiiiish..."

The girls in the audience went crazy as they watched him touch her the way he did at that very moment. A teenager, who looked to be about 16 or 17, had to sit down and fan herself when Justin knelt beside her chair on the steps and repeated the final line of the song.

Wayne stood up clapping as the five men gathered together onstage in front of his desk, "Give it up for Nsync ladies and gentlemen. Wooo!" he walked over to JC and patted him on the back, "JC Chasez, everyone...That was incredible man! We'll be right back!"

Laura sat on stage quietly as JC and Wayne talked while make-up was reapplied during the commercial break. Joey and Lance had taken seats next to Laura on the couch, while Justin and Chris sat on the floor. Justin tilted his head back, smiling at her, to make sure she was okay. She just ran her hands over his almost bald head and lightly pushed him.

Once they returned, Wayne continued to rave about the earlier performance and looked over at Laura and asked jokingly, "So what's wrong with being selfish, Laura?"

"After all that hoopla, I can see where it may have its advantages." she laughed nervously.

"Did you know that he was going to do that?"

"Nope. He and his cronies up here likes to be unpredictable…A lot!" she commented as she leaned her body into Joey's. "You never know what's coming next."

"Well thank you for being such a good sport about it all."

Laura grinned as Wayne went on to point to the audience members for their last set of questions before the two of them disappeared backstage to prepare for their performance. Wayne felt it was a great opportunity to also do an interview with the remaining four members while they were setting up.
 
JC sat in his dressing room singing lowly to himself when he heard a knock, "How do you keep the music playing...Come in!"

Laura stormed into the room, locking the door behind her. JC smiled and stood up to speak until he was jolted by the palm of her hand smacking his face as she yelled, "Bastard!! Are you fuckin' out of your mind, JC! What the hell was that little stunt you just pulled out there?"

PART 2

Rubbing his cheek and moving his jaw around to ease some of the pain, he walked up to her slowly and touched her arm lightly. "That was no act. I love you, Laura. And if I need to prove it to you in front of millions of people, I will. I don't care anymore."
There was honesty in his tone as well as his eyes, and she couldn't deny it. "You're all I've ever wanted since the first day I met you. And you can't stand here and tell me that you didn't feel the same."

Holding up her dress slightly, Laura paced the room shaking her head, "It doesn't matter how I feel-I mean, may have felt about you. It's over, JC. You are going to be married in a week. Just drop it...Move on." Laura went to turn the knob to leave.

"I'm not engaged anymore." JC called after her.

Laura slowly turned her head to look at him. JC sat down on the chair and looked down at the floor. "I guess nice guys always finish last. I try to be a stand up guy and do the right thing and it blows up in my face."

"What do you mean? What happened?"

"We both realized that we couldn't live a lie anymore...Nikolas isn't my son and I am once again a bachelor."

"JC, I swear I didn't kn-"

"It's ok. Justin told me everything...Not like it would have mattered. I was stupid for blaming you in the first place." he said looking down at his hands.

Laura sat down next to him on the small couch and rubbed his back gently, "Are you okay?"
"Yeah. Surprisingly, I'm fine." he smiled and patted her bare leg to reassure her.

It was at that moment when Laura saw something different in his eyes. It was that familiar look that she'd remembered so long ago. The one of true longing, warmth and sincerity. She found herself lost in them...Paralyzed by feelings she'd been trying to bury for months. A smile crept across JC's face as he gazed back into her eyes. "I never told you how beautiful you look."

She stumbled over her words as he moved in closer to her. "Th-...Thank you." she said slowly looking down at his lips.

JC noticed a small piece of lint in her hair and reached for it. He accidentally brushed his hand past her cheek and Laura closed her eyes and leaned her face in closer to his touch. JC slowly rubbed her cheek and ran his fingers through her hair gently while pulling her face closer to his own. With lips slightly parted they both just starred at one another. "I miss you more than words can say, Laura."

With that, Laura lightly brushed her lips up against his. It started out with light kisses and suddenly grew intense. JC had handfuls of her hair in his grip and Laura was holding his face so tightly that you could almost see the outline of her hands on his cheeks. And just as quickly as it started, it stopped. Laura pulled her face away from his and shook her head, "What am I doing?" she asked herself out loud, standing up.
 
JC stood with her and tried to kiss her once more, but Laura put up her hands to block him. "I knew this was going to happen. Justin tells you the truth about Rachel and now you are back here with me...The safety net.  The fool."

"That's not how it is, Laura. Rachel told me the truth on her own."

"You find out that your fiance is a lying, conniving, deceitful slut who's pushed off someone else's son as your own for almost a year, and now you've suddenly had an epiphany about your feelings for me? She confesses the truth and you leave her...Now you want me back? It seems all too convenient, JC."

They were both startled by a knock at the dressing room door. "Mr. Chasez? Miss Charles? Wayne is still interviewing the group. You have ten minutes till we are back on the air with your performance. We need to have you retouched in makeup."

Laura looked at her own reflection in the mirror and tried to fix her hair. JC walked towards her, "Laura, I-"

"Please, JC. I have to run back to my dressing room to get ready. I don't want us going onstage angry. Just leave it alone. There's no more us. You didn't believe in what we had."

Laura rushed down the hallway and was startled when she discovered Rachel standing in her dressing room. The woman from makeup followed behind Laura and touched her up before rushing back out. Both women were silent for what seemed like an eternity, but only turned out to be a minute.

"I told him the truth." Rachel over behind Laura who was trying to fix her hairdo back the way it was before her small tryst with JC in his dressing room.

"Good. He needed to hear it from you."

Rachel grabbed a brush and took Laura's hair in her hands to help her. Laura was dumbfounded by it all. "Is that all you came to tell me?"

"No. I also came to tell you that Joshua loves you more than anything in the world. And if you can't see that, then you are just as screwed up as I am."

"No...You confess your sins and he still thinks he can fall back on me."

"That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I could have come up with a better lie than that, Laura...He didn't tell you did he?"

"Tell me what?"

"That he broke off the engagement before I told him about Nikolas."

"What?"

"He came home and told me he couldn't live the rest of his life married to me, knowing that his heart belonged to you. He'd already left me, when I told him about that baby."

Laura sat there silent as a mouse.

"I'm trying to make amends here, Laura. You had been a sister to me through thick and thin and I shit all over you. All because of my own stupidity and jealousy."

Laura found that hard to believe.  "You? Jealous of me?"

"Yes...I envy you." Rachel smiled, placing her hands gently on Laura's shoulders as she looked at her in the mirror.  "Because even now after everything that I've done to you, you still seem to care about me. You haven't kicked me out of here yet and you're not trying to murder me." Rachel nervously laughed.

"As much as I wish I could just write you off, Rachel, I can't. I know that somewhere deep inside you, there is greatness that is just itching to get out. You just have to decide if you want to let if free."

"Do you think we could ever be friends again?"

Just as Laura was about to answer, there was a knock at the door, "Two minutes Miss Charles."

"I have to go…"  Laura leaned over at hugged Rachel tightly.  "...But thank you."

In those brief moments Rachel knew the answer to her question and tears began to stream from her eyes.

"I'll see ya." Laura patted Rachel's back before walking out of her dressing room and towards the stage.

A crew member rushed over with a microphone and handed it to her as two other women checked her hair, makeup and dress to make sure everything was perfect. Laura could hear Wayne talking to the audience and took deep breathes and she stood there thinking about JC and what Rachel has told her.

"Now to perform their new single together for the first time, here are JC Chasez and Laura Charles."

The audience clapped and screamed loudly as the lights went up and onstage was JC sitting at the piano, playing the tune. He slowly shut his eyes and began to croon for the audience. Laura stood backstage watching him intently. Her hands were trembling as she waited on her cue to come out onstage.

[JC]
How do you keep the music playing?
How do you make it last?
How do you keep the song from fading too fast?
 
The audience clapped as they watched Laura enter, stage left. Violins softly played. All she could see was JC. He could instantly tell she was nervous. She'd never sang in front of millions of people on television before.

[Laura]
How do you lose yourself to someone?
And never lose your way
How do you not run out of new things to say?

JC threw a supportive smile her way and looked back down at the keys as she walked up to the piano.

[JC]
And since we know we're always changing
How can it be the same?
[Laura]
And tell me how year after year
You're sure your heart will fall apart
Each time you hear his name

He slowly got up from the piano and met her mid stage. Laura's free hand was resting on the top of the shiny black instrument as she sang. JC slid his hand over until it was resting gently on top of her hand.

[JC: CHORUS]
I know the way I feel for you
It's now or never

He gently squeezed her hand and brought it up to his chest and leaned his head back to croon out the tune.

[Laura]
The more I love the more that I'm afraid
That in your eyes I may not see forever..
[Both]
Forever…

With tears forming in her eyes she slid the back of her hand down the side of his face.

[JC]
If we can be the best of lovers
Yet be the best of friends
[Both]
If we can try with everyday to make it better as it grows
[JC]
With any luck, then I suppose
[Both]
The music never ends

Each of them were smiling at one another...They didn't need words to express what they were feeling...They never did.

[Both interlooped: CHORUS)
I know the way I feel for you
It's now or never!
[JC] (How do you keep the music playing?)
The more I love the more that I'm afraid
[JC] (How do you make it last)
That in your eyes I may not see forever
Forever...
[JC] (How do you keep the song from fading, keep the song from fading too fast)
[Both]
If we can be the best of lovers
Yet be the best of friends
If we can try with everyday to make it better....as it grows
[JC]
With any luck, then I suppose
[Both]
The music never ends

Tears were streaming down Laura's face.

How do you keep it playing baby...oooh
ooohhhooohh (female)
I wanna know...how do you do it...how...do you keep the music playing
over and over....
 
She brushed a tear away from JC's face before reaching up and wrapping her arms around him tightly. He leaned down and held her close in his embrace, slightly lifting her off the ground and kissing her cheek. Reluctantly letting go of one another they faced the crowd and put their heads down giving thank you's all around before looking over at each other. JC smiled down at Laura, who was now wiping tears away from her eyes. She stopped and leaned up, kissing him square on the lips. The crowd went bizerk when JC reciprocated and held her face in his hands. Wayne's mouth even dropped open as he watched the sight in front of him. The stage manager had to tap him to close out the show. Neither Laura or JC seemed to care about what was going on around them. "Well on that note ladies and gentlemen, that's the end of our show. A big thank you to all our guests..."
Laura tore herself away from JC's lips to thank Wayne for having them on the show. They both smiled and waved up at fans as the credits rolled and the band played.

PART 3

"Where the hell are they?" Hallie wondered as she came out of JC's empty dressing room in search of her friend. A makeup artist walked by and said, "They bolted out of here into a limo as soon as they came offstage. I couldn't even stop her to get the dress back."

"Mmmm...I missed you so much!" Laura said between kisses in the back of the limo. She was frantically trying to take off JC's shirt as she straddled him on the seat. JC tried to reach over to the door to put up the divider window so the driver couldn't see what was going on, but as having a hard time moving underneath Laura's tight grip.

She caught herself when she felt the car slightly swerve, knocking her off of JC's lap. She turned around and could see the driver focusing his attention in the rear view mirror instead of the road. She seductively smiled his way as JC pushed the button and all they could see was the black of the divider.

If either were having second thoughts, this would be the perfect time to express them. Laura was so excited that she was shaking in anticipation and simply nodded at JC with a growing smile.

The pounding through her veins was like a tribal drum beating out a mating dance as he advanced toward her. JC took a deep breath at what he was about to do, before gently taking Laura's arms and moving them behind her back. Crossing her wrists, he deftly bound them together firmly with her shaw, but not too tight.

Satisfied with his work, he circles back and sits in front of her on the opposite seat and noticed that her head was down. Half afraid they may have already taken everything too far too fast, he quietly asked her if she was okay. Laura's head immediately rose, her eyes collided with his, and you could see the wild carnality that was there. This time his breathe escaped him as he realized that she was probably trying to get herself in check. Her eyes close for a moment, her head lowers slight. When she looked at him again, the wild look has been replaced with one of pure abandon...Abandon to him.

The sight takes him aback completely and causes his already-hardened cock to throb painfully. JC was in awe of the look, and he knew she didn't give it to many people. He'd missed that look. He dropped to his knees in front of her and said "God, I love you so much!" before he reached up to pull her head down to claim her mouth, searing her with his heat, tasting her with your tongue.

Her moan was his undoing and he caught her hair in his hand to lure her head back as he blazed a trail down her neck with his lips.  Laura quietly cried out his name as each touch of his mouth on her skin sent an electric shock to her very core. Her nipples tightened into a delicious pucker and goose-bumps formed on her skin. He trained his tongue over the them as he moved down over the swell of her breasts. His tongue trailed over the creamy skin and, without teasing her more, flicked against her pebble-hard nipple. She can't stop the cry that escapes her throat as her head fell back. The void between her legs was achingly empty. It had been ever since they'd conceived their daughter together. Anything he would do next, would simply be very, very, sweet torture.

JC followed with a gentle scraping of teeth of the stiff nub. Laura squealed. JC almost lost it when she whispered "Harder." He gladly complied. He circled the edge of her areola with his teeth and bite firmly as she slowly pulled his head back, stretching her nipple, causing a scraping sensation as it slowly slid from between his teeth. Laura groaned the entire time at his assault, whimpering when he freed her from his torment.

JC leaned back and looked at her now-quivering breasts. Not wanting to neglect the other, he rose his thumb and index finger to gruffly pinch and twist the other. She cried out and whispered her assent at the sharp pleasure and pain he was giving her. Her clit was throbbing, and her juices were spreading to her inner thighs.

He released her nipple and applied pressure to her legs with his hands, urging them apart. He positioned himself between them-- not enough to be tempted to gratefully slide inside her, but close enough to have plenty of access. He raised his hands to again stroked her breasts before he firmly slid his hands down her sides, enjoying the feel of her soft skin and curved beneath his touch again. He'd almost forgotten how she felt. He slowly brought his mouth to her sternum and kissed his way down her belly and further.

JC's hands slid back to grasp her ass as his mouth found her heat. He simply kissed his way down over her and she sighed in amazement at the simple feeling. Then his hands urged her legs further apart and she gasped as his tongue found its was between her folds and into her wetness, gently moving up to part her lips and to find the base of her engorged clit. He pulled back before going any further, making her sigh in frustration, letting out the breath that she'd held while concentration on the feeling of his actions.

And then...Just a touch...On her clit...And she cried out his name in hot amazement. "JC!"
He doesn't tease long, but he did enjoy flicking his tongue lightly over her a few times as her gasps filled his ears. Finally, his lips settle gently around her core and he lightly sucked on her.

Laura came almost immediately at the simple gesture. Her body went rigid and he hears her hoarse cried as spasms rake through her body.

JC backed off, waiting for her orgasm to subside. Her breathing finally began to slow. But before he could continue, Laura leveled her hot gaze at him and told him to sit on the seat beside her. Unable to resist. JC did just that. Laura bent down into his lap and bit gently at his cock through the material of his pants. He knew what she was up to and unzipped his slacks to give her access to his pulsating member. Once free from his briefs, his cock finds itself sealed inside her mouth and JC growls at the gently suction that just began. He glides her head up and down the length of his cock before he feels himself about to release.

He abruptly pulls away, not wanting it to end yet..especially not this way after all this time. JC leaned over and kissed her before telling her that it isn't time for that yet. Laura smiled back at him, knowing how much he enjoyed her mouth, knowing how difficult it was for him to pull away.

He again kneeled down between her legs and dropped his attention to her pussy. He slid his hands up her inner thighs, his thumbs catching the skin to either side of her lips, spreading them so that her clit was in plain view. Such and small little thing, but such a powerful bundle of nerves. Oh so gently, he brought the tip of his relaxed tongue to it.

He took a quick taste and her body tensed at the intense pleasure. He immediately retreats and breathed hot air over her, relaxing her again. He changes his tactics, using the flat of his tongue to blanket the little knob. Her pleasure-filled sigh/moan tells him to continue. And continue he did--barely moving the blanket of his tongue over the nub, caressing, stimulating, and comforting at the same time. It's almost more than she could take. All she could do was moan out his name and tell him how incredible it felt.

Encouraged, he let a single hand take over the task of spreading her open for him and drop the other to her steamy wetness, to slowly slide one finger, then two deep inside her. She groans, and he starts to thrust his finger into her. Laura whimpers. He adds a third finger to the thrusting, filling her as he gives her a pseudo-fuck. All she can do is gasp, in awe of the amazing feeling of what he's doing and of the speed in whick her next orgasm was building.
He watched in enjoyment as her eyes closed, and her head fell back, moving from side to side. Her breasts were still stretched taut and her nipples were still puckered. And her cried were filling the air like sweet music to his ears.

"Please..." she managed to utter and then glanced at his wet fingers.

JC raised his fingers to her mouth. One by one, Laura cleaned his moist fingers. "I need you inside me." she begged.

He slowly slid his hands over her hips, his lips slowly working up her body and he guides himself deep inside her. A loud rush of air escapes her mouth and JC immediately feels her muscles testing him...It felt incredible.

He stayed completely still for a moment, enjoying the warmth surrounding his engorged flesh. "Ohhh…Yesss."  He hissed.

And then he pulled back and rammed back home, making her scream at the fierce pleasure. JC retreated again and then slid back in, looking for that single spot.

And he knew he hit it by her intense reaction...Her body went taut for a moment and she wordlessly exclaimed. He withdrew and slowly tried again, prompting her for direction. "A little forward, no back a bit, shift a tiny bit to your right... OH...JC!!!!" And he knew he'd found the spot. He kept the pressure there, moving very slightly to stimulate the spot, and she rewarded him with moans and half-formed cries. And then her back started to undulate in front of him as her pussy clamped down on his cock and her body begins to shudder again and again.

That was his breaking point. JC proceeded to recklessly pound into her body, enjoying the friction of the slide, the jolt of hitting home, and the rush of each withdrawal. His blood was pounding through his cock and he could feel himself swelling to an amazing size as her pussy milked him, begging for his juices... and then he thrust one last time, savoring the flow of his juices filling her heat.

They both lied there, desperately trying to catch their breath. Laura ran her fingers through JC's hair and smiled to herself with reminiscent thoughts about what had taken place. The limo pulled to a stop and Laura lifted her head to look out the window. They had arrived to the hotel where fans were anxiously waiting outside. JC reluctantly lifted himself off of her and fixed his hair and clothing. Laura searched around the floor for her panties and stuffed them down into her purse to save time. As she went to open the door to exit the car, JC grabbed her hand, "Wait!"

She slowly turned her head to face him. She could tell he was struggling to grab something from around him neck that was tucked down into his shirt. "I have something that belongs to you."

As he pulled out the necklace, Laura recognized the rings immediately. He unclasped the chain from around his neck and took off the engagement ring he'd originally purchased for her from Tiffany's. He got down on both knees and held the ring up to her. "I should have never let you take this off. You and I share something deep and sacred. I was so scared of it, that I ran as fast as I could away from us...Knowing I would never get far. I was a stupid jackass. I love you and Lacey more than life itself, Laura. All I want is to spend the rest of my life with the two of you...My family. Please tell me you want to spend the rest of eternity with me."

Laura fixed his hair and held his face in her hands, "You know that I love you to death. And all I want to do right now is say 'Yes JC. But I can't."

He let his head fall into her hands, gently rubbing his cheeks against her palms and lightly kissing her wrists. He looked into her eyes, pleading with her, "Why not?"
 
"I need more than just your words to calm my fears. You have to show me you're willing to take the time to get to know me again. I'm not the girl I used to be so many months ago. I've changed...Hell, you've changed too. And if you can't wait and see where this new chapter leads us, then we've been wasting each others time since the day we met."

Laura sat there silent, waiting for some reaction from him. But nothing. JC just looked down to the side. She reluctantly opened the door and got out of the car, walking slowly towards the entrance of the hotel, signing autographs and taking picture with the awaiting fans.

"How about a date then?" a voice shouted from behind her.

Laura shot her head around to find JC standing on the curb with the door to the limo still wide open. The cheers and screams around them seemed to instantly grow silent. "When?" she called back.

"How about right now?" he grinned.

A smile slowly crept across her face before she finished signing one last autograph and rushing back over to the car.

Once inside JC proceeded to tell the driver where he wanted to go. He frantically searched his pockets for his wallet and could only find a a ten dollar bill that he'd stuffed inside the inner pocket of his jacket. He'd forgotten that he'd asked Joey to hold it for him hours earlier. He looked out the window and spotted the closest restaurant he could find. "Take us up here to McDonald's. We're starving."

Laura dropped her mouth open in shock. "I can't believe that you are taking me to Mc-"

"Just shut up and come here." JC smiled and covered her mouth with his own, kissing her deeply on the lips.
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1694