More Than A Memory by April
Summary: Justin Timberlake had been though it all–the struggle with the beginning of NSYNC, the time when he and the other four guys ruled the world of boybands, then his own time at the top as a solo artist. King of the world by all rights in music and acting, he’d lived the life usually found only in dreams and fantasy, fully taking advantage of every second of it. Through the last five years of the ride, his wife Haley stood by him, praised and encouraged, pushed and soothed, then smiled and ignored his many indiscretions.

Then, in a split second, everything he’d known and worked for was gone to him. Will it be a true do-over for Justin or will the past be his downfall, leaving it all to be nothing more than a memory?


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 3432 Read: 5001 Published: Apr 09, 2010 Updated: Oct 31, 2010

1. Chapter 1 by April

2. Chapter 2 by April

3. A/N chapter by April

Chapter 1 by April

Haley skidded into a parking space in back of the hospital, her tires squealing as she slammed on her brakes to narrowly avoid hitting the car in the space in front of her. Jumping out, she barely remembered to grab her keys from the ignition before sprinting to the ER bay doors, her auburn hair flying behind her.

She ran to the information desk and gently shoved her way through the crowd of people winding up their weekend with some type of malady.

"Excuse me," she said, her soft Southern accented voice low so no one but the receptionist could hear. "My name is Haley Timberlake and my husband, Justin, was brought in about an hour ago. I need to know where he is."

A little over month into their separation, calling him her husband was still the most natural thing in the world for her.

"I'm sorry," the receptionist said, giving Haley a suspicious glance, "but I don't know what you're talking about. We don't have anyone here by that name, and if we did, I still couldn't tell you; it would violate a patient's privacy."

Haley sighed and tightened her fingers on her purse. Any other time, she'd be congratulating this woman for doing such a great job. This time, however...

"Look," Haley said pointedly. "I appreciate what you're doing, but this really isn't the time to test me or my patience. Trust me on this. Just tell me where I can find my husband. Now. Please."

Haley could see the flicker of doubt in the woman's eyes, that one second of doubt about whether she should believe Haley or not. This was the moment to strike.

"Haley!"

She turned to see Justin's mother across the room. Haley slapped her hand on the counter on her side of the window as a thank you before running to the older woman. No matter what happened between she and Justin, his parents remained important people in her life.

"Lynn," Haley exclaimed as she hugged her tight. "I got here as soon as I could. What happened? Where is he?"

"He's in surgery. I'm not sure exactly what happened, we're still waiting for Trace to finsih with the police where he's giving the details. Come with me, they have a private waiting room for us."

Haley hurriedly followed her mother-in-law down the hall and past prying eyes.

"I don't see any media outside, Mom."

"No, as far as I know, no one has told he's here. We were waiting until you got here. I don't think any of us want a spectacle and with you being with his PR at one time, we thought you'd know more of what to say."

"Oh, I agree, we don't need to let this get out of hand," she nodded, her mind flashing with images of other over the top celebrity injuries and illnesses.

Haley dropped her bag when they reached the waiting room and gave Justin's step-father a hug.

"Did you get to see him before he went back?" She asked, sitting down next to her in-laws.

"No," Paul shook his head. "Apparently, he was taken back almost the second they got him out of the helicopter."

Haley's eyes widened and her head snapped around.

"What was he doing? Why'd he need a helicopter?"

"He was rock climbing with Trace, Jeff, and a couple of other friends. He didn't tell you?" Lynn asked.

"Heh..no," Haley shrugged. "We haven't actually talked since I left."

"You're here now, where you belong," Lynn said, giving her daughter-in-law's hand a squeeze. "He'll really appreciate that."

"Yeah," Haley said softly, looking down to avoid Lynn's tear-glistening gaze. "I'm sorry this happened. I'm sorry for a lot of things, Mom, and I know there's no way you can understand, but my leaving was for the best."

Haley took a deep breath, preparing to spill everything when she heard a sharp gasp from her mother-in-law and looked up to see Justin's best friend standing just inside the waiting room's door, his clothes covered with dirt and now-dried blood.

"I'm...I....this..." Was all that Trace stuttered out before he broke down in tears. "Oh, God! I am so sorry!"

Haley sat in shock, her eyes blinking a couple of times before it dawned on her that Trace had moved to stand in front of her.

"Haley," he sobbed, reaching to take her hands, then pulling back as if he suddenly remembered something. He looked awkward as he tried to find something to do with his hands. Finally, he shoved them deep in his pockets.

"I'm so sorry," he repeated again as he looked at her. "I...I...I stayed with him. He aksed for you... Your name was the last thing he said."

Haley's bright blue eyes never waivered from his face,but she showed no signs of emotion while she listened.

"We followed all the rules. We were positive the rope was secure in its hold, Haley. Jeff went first, then Cody. I was going after J, but when he was half-way up, the hold gave way and he fell."

In what seemed like a far-off distance, Haley heard another shocked sound from Lynn.

"He..his head...it hit the rock beside me. I heard a crack and his his leg...the bone had broke through."

Trace paused and motioned over his clothes.

"I wouldn't leave him, Haley. I rode in the helicopter and everything with him. You have to know he loved you...he loves you. No matter what else happens, it's you he loves. You have to understand that"

"Trace, son, you're not making any sense," Paul told him.

"Yeah, he is," Haley said softly.

"He made me promise that I'd tell you. He didn't want to die without you knowing..."

"Shut up," Haley interrupted, pushing on the arms of her chair to stand, her balance shakey in that one second before she gained control again. "He's not going to die, just shut up. Have you forgotten who you're talking about? This is Justin fucking Timberlake, there's no way something like this is going to kill him. He's too damned stubborn. So just get that idea out of your head."

"Haley," Trace said again, his voice trembling as he put his hands on her shoulders to turn her toward hm. "He fell thirty feet. I saw it, you didn't."

"I know," Haley's voice suddenly fell cold and flat. She took a step back from him, shrugging off his hands. "And you know why. But you can tell Justin yourself when he gets out of surgery that you gave me the message and that I wish him well."

She walked back to the chairs to get her purse. She meant her vows five years ago when she promised better or worse, in sickness and health. She never really thought that she could leave him in a scenario such as this, but then again, she never imagined anything happening in their marriage like it did. She knew this was not going to be the til death do they part they promised each other, but she also reasoned that everything in the past year voided all of it and freed her of any of those obligations.

"I'm sorry, Mom and Dad," Haley sincerely apologized to her in-laws. "I firmly believe he'll pull through, but Trace reminded me of why I shouldn't be here when he gets out of surgery and I'll just stress him out. Please call me, though, and let me know how he is. "

"You can't go!" Lynn cried, reaching out to grab her arm. "He needs you."

Haley shook her head and gave the woman a sad smile. "No, he doesn't. He hasn't in a long while. He has you and Dad and everyone else. He won't miss me. I do love you all, though."

She turned and walked past Trace, bumping into him when he didn't move. If she could have knocked him flat on his ass for his part in everything, she would have. As she reached for the door, it swung out and a large man in OR scrubs entered.

"Timberlake family?" His booming voice resonated throughout the room.

"Yes?" Haley heard Paul's voice right behind her. "I'm his dad and this is his mom."

Haley took a step to go around the doctor, but felt a firm grip on her arm. She glanced over her shoulder to see Paul give her a level look.

"I'm Doctor Jett. I know you came in with him," the doctor said, nodding toward trace. "But who are you?"

"His wife," Lynn answered for Haley.

"I hope you understand and I asked only for the safety and privacy of the patient in a case like this."

"Of course," Paul agreed. "How is Justin?"

"Please, let’s sit down," Dr. Jett motioned to the chairs.

Haley didn’t have a chance to say anything when Paul turned her and gently guided her with the group. She watched while the doctor pulled a chair from the side and sat in front of them.


"Is he going to make it?" Haley didn’t even realize the words came from her.

Chapter 2 by April
Author's Notes:
Thanks for reading and the feedback. :)
Dr. Jett gave the waiting family a sympathetic expression and nod.

“Right now, the only thing I can say for sure is that Justin is a very lucky man. To fall thirty feet and survive is the first good news I can share. Keep in mind that these next 24 hours are going to be the most important. Right now, he’s in recovery and we’re keeping him closely monitored. He has a broken leg that we had to set with pins. He has broken ribs from the fall and it collapsed his lung. But we were able to go in and relieve the air and his lung re-inflated like it should be. Our biggest worries in the immediate future are going to be the bruising and damage to his spinal colum and the head injuries he sustained. We had to open up a small area in his head to relieve the pressure from brain swelling. As of right now, obviously, we can’t tell if there’s going to be any brain-damage. And like I said, these next 24 hours are going to be the most critical. We will do everything within our ability, but in situations like this, I always suggest that a prayer or two couldn’t do any harm.”

“When can we see him?” Lynn asked, tears choking her words.

“I want to check on him, but I’ll send for you. It’s not a pretty sight, I want you to be prepared for this. If all goes well, he will be moved to ICU where he will have the best care we can provide.”

Dr. Jett gave them a moment to take in everything before continuing. “I understand how this can escalate, given who Justin is. Our hospital has a wonderful spokesperson and will be in here shortly to discuss how, or even if, you want this handled. I’ve got another surgery in an hour, so I will spend this time assessming of how Justin is doing. Should anything change, will we be able to find you here?”

“Of course,” Paul said, releaseing Haley’s arm in order to comfort his wife. “Thank you for saving our son.”

“Thank you for staying,” Lynn said as soon as they were alone again.

“I...yeah,” she smiled wryly and nodded at her. “We need to get the story together to release to the press. We can’t keep it secret that he’s here and I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that by now, the word is already out.”

Haley took a deep breath and stood, her mind racing over what to put in the message. She grabbed a scrap piece of paper and pencil.

“Alright, we won’t lie, but we won’t release everything, either. He was on a rock climbing trip with some friends. He had a minor accident and broke his leg. Please respect his privacy during recouperation...all thoughts, well wishes, and prayers are appreciated. No flowers, gifts, etc. Instead, donate that money to one of Justin’s favorite charities. Or give the cards, etc, to the children’s hospital. That sound good?”

She looked up from the notes she’d furiously scribbled.

“That’s perfect,” Lynn said. “Justin really picked the perfect person for his PR and wife.” She was quiet a moment before she spoke again. “You will go see him, won’t you?”

Haley closed her eyes and sighed inwardly. “For you and Dad, i will.”


The door opened again when a man in an expensive suit walked in.

“Hello, my name is Charles Barrett and I work for the hospital. I understand you have a statment for release?”

“Yes,” Haley said, walking to him. “This is what needs to be read. Obviously, it’s a quick rough draft, but you have the basics of what we want said.”

She watched as the man read over the paper, making little notes and adjustments with his pen.

“We will get right on this,” he told her.

“Thank you so much,” Haley shook his hand. “But if you will excuse us, I believe that nurse out there is here to take us to see my husband.”

She nodded over Charles’ shoulder to the woman in lime green scrubs opening the door. Haley turned to see her in-laws and Trace almost running toward the door.

“I hope all goes well,” Charles said, walking out with them. “If there’s anything you need or that we can do, don’t hesitate to let us know.”

“Thank you,” Haley began, only to be interrupted by a shrill scream.

“Oh my God, Trace! What happened? I got here as fast as possible, but Jeff had to go back to the cabin and get the bags. Where is he? Where’s Justin?”

Haley felt a stab of nausea when she heard that woman speak Justin’s name. The withering look she shot Trace would have been enough to kill him if that was possible. Everyone stopped and looked at the trim and toned raven-haired beauty rushing to Trace.

“He’s...uh...out of surgery?” Trace asked, taking a step back and holding out his hands to keep the woman from touching him. He cast a quick glance at Haley and Justin’s parents, then dropped his gaze, guilt all over his face and posture.

“Oh, thank God, he did survive,” the brunette sighed. “When can I see him?”

“Never,” Haley said, making her presence known.

“Oh...you’re Haley.”

“I’m sorry, who are you? Jeff’s girlfriend?” Lynn asked, confused.

“No, I’m Lindsay. I am so sorry, Mrs. Harless. Can I call you Lynn? I feel as if I’ve known you forever, the way Justin has talked about you. I'm your son's girlfriend, Lynn. Surely Justin's mentioned me to you."

"His what?" Justin's mother asked, blinking a few times.

"Yes, his girlfriend. I was on the trip with him this weekend. We were trying to make a baby, in case the last time didn't work. Isn't that wonderful? A grandchild for you!"

Haley felt her cheeks redden with anger and shame at this being put out in such a manner.

"I don't understand..." Paul said, rubbing a hand over his face.

"There's nothing to understand," Lindsay elaborated in that flinty, irrtating voice of hers, the cadance that of an almost Valley Girl. "Your son and I have been together for six months and we're trying to have a baby."

"You know what?" Haley interrupted, taking a step toward the woman. Lindsay might have been taller than her, but Haley was feisty and that old desire to protect what's heres was flairing to life again. "I'm glad I finally get to meet you, because this will be so much better saying this to you face to face. I don't give a damn who you are, nobody gives a damn who you are, do you understand? I am still his wife and that's what counts right now. Do you know why? It's because what I say goes and honey, I say you go."

She nodded to the nurse. "Call security and have her thrown out of this hospital."

Haley then whipped out her cell phone and dialed a number before bringing it to her ear. She gave a slightly evil grin to Lindsay.

"You best be ready to say goodbye to all of this. I am calling our lawyer and your ass is getting slapped with a restraining order as well as listed as a stalker. And if you so much as think of getting close to my husband, you will go under the jail. I don't care if you could be or even are pregnant with Justin's bastard, he will never know, so you can kiss that little gold digging scheme buh-bye."

Lindsay's dark brown eyes grew huge. She looked at Trace. "Are you going to let her talk to me like that, Tracey? You were the one who introduced us. You said he was over her and she..."

"Hello? This is Haley Timberlake, I need to speak with Mr. Levinson. Yes...Hey, Sol. How are you? Listen, I have a situation I need you to take care of for me. No, you can put that on hold. I'll explain later what's going on, but I need you to draw up a restraining order against a Lindsay...hang on. What is your last name again?"

"You cannot do this!" Lindsay shrieked.

"The hell I can't," Haley shot back before turning her attention to the phone once more. "I also need you to get ready for a possible paternity suit and I wand you to fight that one tooth and nail. And, we need to be prepared for a possible defamation suit. No, this will be us against someone. Yes, this Lindsay whore. I have a feeling this is going to be ugly. I'll have to call you back with more details, Sol. I have the police here now. Thank you."

Haley gave a smug smirk as she flipped her phone shut. "Don't ever tell me what I can't do. Enjoy your trip to jail and stay away from this hospital and my husband."

She watched, the satisfied expression still on her face, as Lindsay was escorted from the hospital by security. Haley knew the police would be downstairs waiting. One thing she had learned from her four years with Justin was when to throw his name around and this was definitely a time when it paid off.

"Now, I want to see my husband."

Haley followed her speechless in-laws and the nurse to the elevator and then up to the recovery room. The doctor met them and gave them a quick run-down on Justin's status. He reminded them again of the severity of the injury and to be prepared of how Justin would look. She braced herself and walked in with her in-laws, leaving Trace to visit after them.

The room was cold and clinical, filled with the emotionless beeping of machines and the whirr of contraptions helping keep him comfortable and alive. Haley had to close her eyes when she heard Justin's mother cry for her only son. Her heart broke for this woman she loved as if she were her own mother. She tried to stay out of the way but felt compelled to go closer when beckoned. Feeling tears fall from her eyes, she wanted nothing more than to look away from the bruised, scratched, and swollen face of her husband. His handsome face, the one that still decorated girls' walls and sold millions of magazines, was unrecognizable.

Haley bit her lip and she leaned down to Justin's ear, hoping he could hear her through the bandage covering it. On instinct alone, she took his hand in his, her thumb rubbing over his.

"Don't you even think about dying on me, Justin. Not after everything you've done, you are not allowed to take the easy way out," she hissed against his ear, only for him to hear from her. "I don't care about me, but don't you dare break your momma's heart. Do you hear me?"

His fingers flinched and barely moved against hers.
A/N chapter by April

I apologize to everyone who was reading this story earlier this year and waited for an update.  My mother got sick not long after I started writing this and I lost her in June, so obviously, my heart and mind hasn't been on fanfics. 

I do, however, plan to re-work this one entirely and go at it from a different angle.  I hope when I do, everyone who read the original will like the revamped one.  

Thank you all so much and I promise, there will be something new soon.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1746