The Letter by meggie
Summary:

Give me a ticket for an airoplane

I ain't got time to take no fast train

Oh, the lonely days are gone

I'll be right home

 

'The letter' - Lee Dewyze


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Celebrity/Celebrity, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3381 Read: 1075 Published: Jun 01, 2010 Updated: Jun 01, 2010

1. The Letter by meggie

The Letter by meggie
Author's Notes:

for kate (sorta) this song really doesn't really have a whole lot to do with the story but it's what was playing when i had my idea. hahaha so yeah. here you go.

ps- not evenclose to being read over. at all. hahaha

She sighs as the movie ends and he smiles knowing that she's misty eyed.

"I love this movie." She cradles the phone between her ear and shoulder. "Did you like it?"

He clicks on the speakerphone and yanks the t-shirt over his head before climbing under the covers. "Yea, it was ok."

"Just ok?" She asks, voice full of skepticism. "It was soooo good. Come on, they fall in love without ever meeting. And the letters! So beautiful."

"I write songs." He grunts.

Laughing, "I know you do and they're very pretty-"

"Pretty?" Justin laughs. "Pretty?"

"Yes, pretty." Laurel flicks on the lamp before grabbing the empty popcorn bowl. "You know, I love that we still have date night even when you're three thousand miles away. Sorta makes this distance thing seem a little more bearable."

"Next week, we're watching something I want to see." He pauses. "Tropic thunder."

"Nooooo." She groans and he chuckles, closing his eyes.

"Yes."

She listens to him, knowing that he's settling into yet another hotel room bed. Alone. The sound of him breathing is comforting.

"Got a busy day tomorrow?" She leans against the kitchen counter.

There's a tug at her heart when he lets out a series of yawns before answering. "All day. Interviews in the morning, a photo shoot, studio time. I'm going to need a vacation after all this."

"We'll go on one. I promise." She reassures him. "Look, you're exhausted and you have a lot going on tomorrow. Get some sleep."

"No, I'm good." Another yawn.

"I love you and I will talk to you tomorrow." She smiles when he mumbles he loves her too before hanging up the phone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Hello my loves." She calls out to the dogs as they greet her at the door, almost knocking her over in the process. She calls to follow after her as she makes her way to the kitchen, her bag, her keys and the mail all slipping from her grasp once she gets there.

After fighting the dogs to grab her stuff off the floor, she glances at the mail quickly. Mostly bills that make her roll her eyes but there's one envelope addressed to her with no return address. She looks to see where it's postmarked but no luck, the stamp has been smeared.

One of the dogs barks.

"Yes?"

Both dogs bark this time as she laughs as they start bouncing up and down. "Freaks." She reaches for the letter and tearing into it.

Inside there's a hand written letter, the tiny scrawl almost illegible. But she'd know that hand writing anywhere.

Laurel,

  I don't understand the hold you have over me to make me write you a sappy love letter but here I sit, with a pen and paper about to pour my heart out to you. Damn that stupid movie and you're crazy obsession with grand gestures!

  Ever since you came into my life, you've had this light about you that I find myself drawn to. And I know that we haven't had the easiest go at this but I want you to know that I will do whatever I can in my power to never let you go. Like Darth Vader, who, as you know, was an evil Sith lord. He couldn't leave his only song to die at the end of Return of the Jedi.

  You make me feel safe and warm. I want to crawl inside of you. Like Luke Skywalker crawled inside his tauntaun to protect himself from the sub-zero temperatures of Holth to hide from the Rebel Alliance.

  I'm not in a position to make you promises of always being there to hug you when you've had a bad day, or laugh with you during a movie, or take you to dinner to celebrate milestone. Because, let's face it, in my line of work, while not exactly Jedi like, doesn't always allow me that freedom. But I can promise you this, I promise to love you and protect you and be there for you.

  I love you Laurel. And I believe I always will.

~Justin

PS- are you crying yet?

She laughs at the last line, a lone tear sliding down her cheek. He always does this to her. Make her feel loved without being overly dramatic and sappy. And always with a smile.

She reaches for her phone to call him but stops when she realizes she has a three day weekend coming up. Four if she takes off Friday.

"Trace." She says, voice full of excitement when he answers his phone.

"Yes?" He drawls out.

"You going to be in town this weekend?"

He pretends to ponder the question. "Why?"

"Traaaaace!" She pouts, knowing he can't see her. "Please. It would mean the world to me."

"What's in it for me sister friend?"

"My undying love?"

"Nope, you gave that to me last year when you FORGOT my birthday." He pauses. "Asshole."

Laughing, "Um, I'll take you to dinner?"

"Still not worth what I'm assuming will be watching the devil dogs. It does involve watching them doesn't it?" He asks. "You know? I still swear that you guys trained them to hate me. That's exactly something that fucker-"

"Trace!" She laughs. "Can you please just watch them? Pretty please?"

"Is the boy gonna get laid?" He asks with a sigh. "Cause he's all mopey and Debbie Downer. I almost wanna slit my wrists listening him to drone on and on about-"

"Thank you Tracey." She squeals. "I love you!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Excuse me, excuse me!" She all but yells pushing her way through the sliding door of the airport. Her hair falling out of the ponytail and suitcase bouncing behind her. "Move out of the way!"

The older couple standing in front of her quickly part and she pushes through. "Thank you!" She yells over her shoulder praying like hell they aren't terrorist that will be on her flight.

"Hi! Hi, yes, I'm here." She slams her ticket on the counter and drops her bag to the floor. "Laurel Hall. Flying to La Guardia."

The ticket attendant takes a step back, confused by panting woman standing in front of her.

"Me. Laurel Hall." She takes a deep breath, trying to get air back in her lungs. "Going to New York. La Guardia. On the plane." She spreads her arms out, mimicking the flight of a plane. "I need to be on it. Now."

The woman behind the counter bites her tongue but takes the ticket off the counter and punches in a few keys. Her eyes scanning the screen a minute before shaking her head.

"I'm sorry miss but that flight has already boarded." She slides the ticket back across the counter. "I can place you on stand-by for a later flight."

She drops her head to the counter and fights the urge to cuss her out. The traffic on the 401 was out of control today and the alarm clock never went off. This would happen to her.

"Look, I'm sorry you weren't not amused with me. I'm really very sorry for coming across like a crazy bitch but the thing is I'm trying to surprise my boyfriend who I haven't seen in a very, VERY long time." She stops to catch her breath again and to calm down. Going ballistic on the ticket lady will not help her chances on getting on this flight.

But the look on the woman's face shows that she really doesn't care.

"Betty?" Laurel looks at the nametag. "I'm sure you can understand where I'm coming from. It's been weeks since I've seen him and this is a surprise. He's been working really hard and it's starting to get to him. I mean, haven't you ever done something to surprise your boyfriend?"

"I date women." She replies, voice completely void of emotion.

"Oh." That was clearly unexpected. "Ok, haven't you ever tried to surprise your girlfriend then? After she's had a rough couple of days?"

"She just dumped me. For a man." Betty crosses her arms over her chest.

"Well shit."

"You can say that again." She says and Laurel knows this is a losing battle. "So, how about that stand-by ticket?"

"How ‘bout that?" She mutters taking the new plane ticket.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Come the fuck on!" She groans watching as the second flight going to New York boards without her. Hoisting herself to her feet she goes to the ticket counter. "Excuse me but I'm wondering what my chances of getting on the next flight are?"

The man sighs without even looking up at her. "Ms Hall, we're doing the best we can to get you out of here. But in case you've forgotten this is a holiday weekend and you missed your flight."

"Yes, I know that but I'm here now." She retorts. "I've been waiting for almost four hours."

He looks up and forces a smile on his face. "I'll do the best I can."

"Gee, thanks." She rolls her eyes and walks back to the chair. "Asshole."

We can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind-

She quickly yanks her phone out of her pocket. "Hello?"

"Hey." Justin's voice comes through the speaker. "What're you doing? I just called the house and Trace answered."

"I'm just running some errands." She lies hoping he doesn't ask too many questions. "I didn't know he was there. Did he say why?"

"Who knows with him. Probably raiding the fridge." He laughs. "So what're you going to do this long weekend off?"

Her mind is suddenly filtered with dirty thoughts. All of them involving the two of them naked. "Nothing, lay out by the pool all weekend."

"Sounds boring."

She laughs at his honesty. "You sound better."

"I am better. I've got a whole day to do nothing tomorrow and I'm very much looking forward to it."

She sees the desk attendant reach for the phone and she quickly hangs up before Justin can hear him.

"Attention passengers of flight 3493 to JFK, we will now start boarding zone one." The voice cracks through the speakers. "Flight 3493 to JFK  will now start boarding zone one."

Her phone starts ringing in her hand, Justin's name flashing on the screen.

"Hello?" Her voice is high.

"What the hell? Is everything ok?"

"Yes, I just dropped the call. Sorry." She shoulders her bag and moves to the counter. "But look, I gotta go. I'm about to walk into the store and I'll lose service. But I'll call you later?"

"Yeah, sure." He sounds doubtful. "I love you."

"Love you too." She hangs up quickly before he can say anything else. "Hey Michael." She smiles sweetly at the guy behind the counter. "What are the chances of getting on this flight?"

"Isn't your ticket for La Guardia?" He asks.

"Yes. But all I need is to get to New York. I don't care which airport it is." Her bats her eyelashes at him, hoping to win him over. "What'd ya say?"

He narrows his eyes at her. "I'm not making any promises."

She gives a little jump of happiness. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"I didn't say yes yet." He fights the urge to smile at her. "Stand over there and I'll see what I can do."

"Yes sir." She mock salutes him before stepping aside.

"Miss, you'll need to buckle up please." The female flight attendant smiles at her.

"Oh, sure." Laurel moves fast to stow her bag. She tries to push the bag into the small space but it just won't fit.

"Miss?" The flight attendant questions. "We need to check that bag."

"No, no." She pushes harder. "It' only one small bag. I can get it in there."

"I'm sorry but you'll have to check it." She reaches up and takes the bag from Laurel's hands before moving to the door to hand it over to another crew member.

"You can pick it up when we get to our final destination." The attendant assures her.

"Ladies and gentleman, US Airways welcomes you aboard flight 3493 to JFK." A voice comes through the speakers. "With a layover in Atlanta."

She closes her eyes, willing the plane to hurry up and take off.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Jesus." She lets out a mumble standing in line to board her flight out of Atlanta.

The line of people standing in front of her isn't moving and the baby crying behind her isn't making this day any better. In fact, if she gets to New York in the next three hours, she'll have two and half days to spend with Justin and that just doesn't feel like enough time.

It's been almost a month since she's seen him, the longest they've ever gone and if she's being honest with herself, it's starting to wear on her as much as it is him. She misses him more then and more every time he leaves.

"Ladies and gentlemen, flight 7193 to JFK has been delayed." The overhead speaks are greeted with a chorus of groans.

"Mother of God!" She drops her bag. "This is not happening."

"We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

The voice is still talking but she makes her way to the ticket counter. "I'm sorry but how long are we going to be delayed?"

The woman smiles sadly at her. "I'm not sure miss. There are very strong winds that are delaying our flight out."

"Rough idea?" She rubs her forehead. "Anything?"

"A few hours?"

"A few hours?!" She cries out. "By the time we get there it'll be midnight!"

"I'm very sorry for the inconvenience but we have not been cleared to fly and until they say so, we are unable to board the plane."

"Unbelievable." She walks to a chair to sit down. She rests her head in her hand waiting for her phone to turn on. Across the way the baby is still crying and the mother is trying to quiet him down with no luck. The annoying sound is causing her to have a headache.

*thud*

*thud*

*thud*

Laurel turns her head to find two small boys kicking the row of chairs, yelling at each other to ‘fight the demon lady'. She glares at the boys' mother hoping she'll catch the meaning and stop them but she's too busy talking on the phone to even notice the chaos they're causing.

"Yello?"

"I am in hell." She grounds out as the two boys whiz past her, yelling at the top of their lungs.

"Where the hell are you?" Trace asks. "You sound like you're at Chuck ‘E' Cheese."

"My flight is delayed until further notice. If I even get out of here tonight, I'll be lucky." She pouts pitifully. "Why did I do this? I'm not going to have any time with him at all."

"Serves you right for leaving me with the spawns of Satan's dogs." He laughs.

"You are not helping me." Tears of frustration sting her eyes.

"Oh suck it up. You're almost there. This is just a minor setback. You'll be there before you know it." He tells her and she's starting to feel a little better. "And then you can have all the kinky sex you want."

She laughs despite herself. "Have you heard from him?"

"Nope. Should I have?"

She shrugs. "I don't have my phone on and he said he spoke to you earlier."

"Yeah, I fed him some BS line about dropping off some movie."

She takes another long look at the flight counter before closing her eyes. "Alright, I guess I'll text you when I get there."

"Later." He says before they hang up.

Just as she starts to get comfortable, there's a sharp pain in her right foot.

"Owwww!" Her eyes snap out just as one of the little boys starts to cry. "What the?"

"Steven?" The mother calls out, rushing to her son. "What happened? Are you ok?"

"Ow." He cries pointing to his knee.

Laurel reaches down and rubs her flip flop clad foot. Steven was wearing cowboy boots.

"Excuse me but you just tripped my little boy." She woman pulls the crying boy to his feet and wraps her arm around his shoulder.

Laurel doesn't miss the accusation in her tone. "Your little boy ran into me. With boots no less."

"Maybe if you hadn't had your legs taking up the entire walkway he wouldn't have fallen." The mother snaps back at her.

"Maybe if you had taught your kid some manners, instead of allowing them to run wild like some escaped zoo animal, we wouldn't be having this conversation!" She snatches up her bag and moves to the other side of the terminal.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A three hour delay, two hour flight later Laurel rides the escalator down to baggage claim, glad to finally have made it. Even if it means a shorter trip.

She makes her way to the baggage carousel waiting for her one suitcase to come around. Several people reach out, grab their bags and move towards the door, to waiting taxi's or family members. Finally all that's left is Laurel and the empty carousel.

"Oh my God!" She storms off to the passenger assistance room.

"Yes? Can I help you?" A young girl smiles brightly at her.

"Yeah, my bag." She points behind her. "It wasn't on my flight."

"I'm sorry to hear that." She takes the ticket from Laurel and starts hitting buttons of the computer. "Let me see what I can do."

"This is unreal." She starts and the young girl glances up at her. "First I miss my flight and get put on stand-by for hours. Then my layover is delayed and this little shit of a kid kicks me and now this. I mean, I'll I'm looking for is a little time with my boyfriend. Is that asking too much?"

"I-I'm sorry Ms Hall but you're bag is still in Atlanta." She girl says quietly, not meeting Laurel's eyes. "And the earliest I can have it here is tomorrow around ten."

"Fuck!" She yells and the girl winces. "Fine. That's just perfect. Awesome."

Before the girl can say anything, Laurel turns on her heel and walks towards the exit.

She reaches into her purse and pulls out her cell phone, powering it on as she waits for a taxi to come through.

"Hello?" She answers when the phone rings.

"Hey." Justin says.

"Hi." She can't help the tears as they form. It has been a day from hell and hearing his voice, knowing that he's just a taxi ride away, is slowly starting to make it all better.

"Um, so I have a secret to tell you." He starts. "Well, it's more like a surprise."

"Oh?" She questions, straining to hear the noise coming through the speaker. "Where are you?" The background noise. "Are you....are you driving?"

He hesitates. "That's the surprise."

"I don't get it." She climbs into the cab that just pulled up. Covering the mouth piece, she gives the driver the address to their New York apartment.

"I had a few days off and decided to come home!"

Her heart stops. "What?"

"I'm home til Tuesday morning." He laughs. "I'm driving down the freeway right now. I should be home in half an hour. Go ahead and order some Chinese and pick out a movie."

"Um." She swallows.

"Babe, where are you?" He asks, a horn blaring.

"I'm in New York." She says. "To surprise you."

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1783