When You Got A Good Thing by Whit1210
Summary:

JC Chasez has just recovered from a difficult hospitalization after overworking, overexhausting and overstressing himself.  He is being forced to hire a personal assistant against his wishes to balance his life.  Whitney has her hands full with being the tour manager for a major music group, as well as working double-time as the personal assistant to one of the lead singers.  When she hits a personal roadblock she's looking for any new job reassignment she can find.  What will happen when the two are paired together?   


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 31534 Read: 33880 Published: Jul 23, 2010 Updated: Nov 10, 2023

1. Characters by Whit1210

2. Chapter 1: If I Knew Then by Whit1210

3. Chapter 2: Hello World by Whit1210

4. Chapter 3: American Honey by Whit1210

5. Chapter 4: Something 'Bout A Woman by Whit1210

6. Chapter 5: Love This Pain by Whit1210

7. Chapter 6: Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You by Whit1210

8. Chapter 7: Things People Say by Whit1210

9. Chapter 8: Lookin' For A Good Time by Whit1210

10. Chapter 9: Love's Lookin' Good On You by Whit1210

11. Chapter 10: Heart of the World by Whit1210

12. Chapter 11: Perfect Day by Whit1210

13. Chapter 12: Friday Night by Whit1210

14. Chapter 13: Our Kind of Love by Whit1210

15. Chapter 14: Slow Down Sister by Whit1210

16. Chapter 15: All We'd Ever Need by Whit1210

17. Chapter 16: Dancin' Away With My Heart by Whit1210

18. Chapter 17: Down South by Whit1210

19. Chapter 18: Sounded Good At The Time by Whit1210

20. Chapter 19: Talk of This Town by Whit1210

21. Chapter 20: It Ain't Pretty by Whit1210

Characters by Whit1210

stories/1768/images/jc_chasez_2006.jpg

JC

 

stories/1768/images/GinniferL.jpg

Whitney

 

stories/1768/images/charles_kelley.jpg

Charles

stories/1768/images/malin_akerman.jpg

Bianca

stories/1768/images/justin_bartha.jpg

Jake

stories/1768/images/bradley_cooper.jpg

Mark

stories/1768/images/spencer_grammer_2.jpg 

Cassie

stories/1768/images/david-boreanaz-sm.jpg

Eric

stories/1768/images/Dave_Haywood.jpg

Dave

stories/1768/images/Hillary_and_Chris.jpg

Chris & Hillary

Chapter 1: If I Knew Then by Whit1210

Back and forth.  Back and forth.  She paced frantically around the hotel room.  The knot in her stomach was almost too much and she could feel beads of sweat forming on her forehead.  She listened intently to the voice on the other end of her Blackberry without saying a word in response.  One more round of circling around the room and she finally stopped and leaned against the bathroom door. 

“I’m ready to move on,” she said decidedly.  She then shook her head, nodding in response to the words she had just uttered, as if to convince herself. 

“Alright, I’ll see what I can come up with for a new assignment.  You are on tour for about two more weeks, right?  So that gives us a tight window.  I’ll make some more calls and leave you a message once I receive some offers.  We’ll look to get you started in about three weeks from today.  That plenty of time?”

“That sounds like a plan, thanks so much for your help with this Brad,” she said.

“Anytime Whitney.  Now take care of yourself and we’ll be in touch,” he said.

She slid down, sitting on the bathroom floor.  What had she just done?   She looked at the time and stood up, rushing to fix her makeup in the bathroom mirror.  It would be call-time soon and she needed to ensure that she stay on top of her work until she heard any word on a reassignment. 

**

JC woke up and looked around the unfamiliar bedroom.  It took some time for him to remember that he was in the hospital as his vision refocused. 

A nurse came in.  “Mr. Chasez, there’s a phone call for you on the line.”  She handed him the phone so he didn’t have to sit upright in bed. 

“Thank you,” he said weakly as he picked up the receiver.  “Hello?”

“JC!  Are you alright?” his manager sounded panicked, but kept rambling without JC having a chance to respond.  “Overexhaustion?  Sleep deprivation?  Stress?  This cannot go on like this anymore!  You have a busy schedule and you obviously cannot take care of yourself so we are going to find someone to take care of everything for you!”

“Oh, no you don’t!” JC was worked up now, “I like my privacy.  I do not want someone involved in my personal business.  I have a manager and a publicist, what more do I need?  I do not need someone else acting as my shadow.” He was so against the idea of having someone with him all the time.  He preferred to be alone, especially when it came to being at home. 

 “It’s not really up for discussion, JC.  I’m making some calls and we’ll get the best assistant we can for you.  Right now I need you getting better and gearing up for a busy press schedule.  So drink plenty of fluids, watch some television and take a nap and I’ll be meeting with you in a few days!”  His manager hung up before JC could continue to argue. 

A personal assistant?  He sighed.  Almost everyone he knew had one, but he still did not like the idea.  He was going to have to lay out some ground rules.

 

**

Whitney was sitting at the desk on the tour bus typing furiously on her laptop.  With just a little less than two weeks left on the tour, there was plenty of work to be done.  The bus was parked at the hotel and it was surprisingly quiet so she had stayed on to get the work done, rather than heading into the newest hotel just yet.  She was busy mapping out scheduling for the weekend when she decided to get up for a moment and get a glass of water.  As she put her arm on the counter she felt a tight grip on her wrist and he yanked her away from the sink. 

“Charlie -,” she started softly, but he put his finger on her lips.  He pushed her against the wall and placed his hand on the wall above her shoulder, leaning in.

“You’ve been avoidin’ me,” he said in his husky Southern drawl.

“I’ve just been busy working.  You know, making schedules, planning appointments, managing your tour,” she said, trying to make excuses.  The truth was even hearing his voice made her knees weak and dizzied her mind. 

“Sounds like you’re workin’ a lil’ too hard.  We oughtta get you your own assistant so you have a lil’ more time on your hands,” he smirked as he leaned in to kiss her.

“Not here,” she said quietly, her eyes shifting from one end of the bus to the other.  He slowly turned away from her and walked towards the exit of the bus.  She was slightly relieved that he had chosen to walk away.  When he reached the door, he quickly locked it and suddenly walked back towards her, his smirk resurfacing. 

He interlaced his fingers with hers and then gestured to the sofa in the back.  “M’lady?”

She followed him and then stood watching him as he settled down on the sofa, patting the seat next to him.  She ignored his gesture and settled herself on his lap.  He slid his hands on her behind to hold her up as she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him, sliding her tongue into his mouth.  He responded by unzipping the fly of her jeans and slowly sliding them down, reaching his hands up her thighs. 

“Mmmm, Charlie,” she moaned as he nipped at her neck, gently grazing her with his teeth. 

“Workin’ so hard,” he whispered to her.

In the heat of the moment, she did not even hear her Blackberry ringing in the background.

**

Chapter 2: Hello World by Whit1210

JC looked around the room helplessly, drumming his fingers on the armrest of the bed.  Being stuck in the hospital bed had turned into full on cabin-fever.  He eyed the table across the room from him, filled with flower arrangements and cards.  What he would give for just one visitor to come by and distract him.  There was nothing on television worth tuning into and he was too restless to focus on reading a book.

“Susan,” he smiled weakly as one of the nurses stepped into his room, starting her rounds.  She walked in and surveyed the situation, making sure he was doing alright. 

“Hello Mr. Chasez.  How are you feeling this evening?” she asked, adjusting the back of his bed so that he was sitting in a more upright position.  She brought in his dinner off of a cart and placed it on the side table beside him.

“I would be doing so much better if I could have anything else to eat.  Anything solid?  Please.  I’ll settle for pasta or salad – anything other than what I have been eating every day since I’ve been here,” he begged, looking at the tray of juices and soup. 

“You know the rules, sir.  The doctor says you should stay on a liquid diet until further notice.  What if I bring you a magazine to distract you?” she offered as a compromise. 

He nodded and she returned from the nurse’s station with the latest edition of People Magazine. 

“Have a nice evening Mr. Chasez.  Call if you need anything,” she said, leaving the room. 

He pushed away his dinner and started to flip through the magazine.  It was mostly nonsense about celebrity couples and celebrity babies and celebrity vacation spots.  He was starting to lose interest, when he saw an article about himself.  His instinct was to throw the magazine across the room, but against his better judgment he kept reading.  

Television personality and former popstar, JC Chasez, collapsed while working in recording studio.  Sources close to the star note that they saw recent behavioral changes in him and suspect that this may have been linked to depression.  At this time, no ties to alcohol or drug abuse have been confirmed. Since the collapse, Chasez has been hospitalized to receive treatment.  His publicist had this to say.  “JC was found to be suffering from overexhaustion, dehydration and severe emotional and physical stress.  While JC has always lived a healthy lifestyle, we believe it was his strong work ethic and dedication to his latest projects that led to this sudden physical reaction.  He will be taking some time for himself.”   Chasez was not available for comment.    

 

How humiliating.  The picture of him unconscious being taken away in an ambulance by stretcher was probably the worst part of the whole article.  He put the magazine down on the table and stared at his dinner.  He had lost his appetite.  He rolled his eyes as he turned the television on.  E! News was on.  “More garbage,” he sighed, getting ready to change the channel.  Before he did he saw a summer concert series segment.  JC always wanted to be up on music, especially with his different pursuits in songwriting and collaborations.  He focused in as he noted information on the Lady A tour with Tim McGraw.  The members of Lady A were being interviewed about their tour and future music plan when JC’s manager walked in and interrupted.

Eric turned the television off with excitement. 

“Hey, I was watching that!” JC said, irritated.

“I need you to focus on me!”  Eric said, crossing his arms.  “Guess what?  I found the best personal assistant money can buy.  We’re just waiting on confirmation and then she’ll be ready to start as soon as you’re out of here.”  He looked at JC, expecting a reaction of excitement.

JC narrowed his eyes, “Whoa, whoa, whoa.  You just offered someone the position without even allowing me to interview her?  What are her qualifications?  What is her background?  I refuse to just allow you to make a hiring decision like this without allowing me to meet with her first.”

“She is the best in the business.  See for yourself,” he said, handing JC a large file.  “She has worked for several celebrities as a personal assistant, also dabbling in public relations, marketing, staff management. Her specialization is really musicians.  Right now she is even doubling as a tour manager.  She can do everything and then some.  It’s really perfect.  But go ahead, go through her resume.  Check her out.  Google her if you want.  You will not be disappointed.”  Eric smiled, knowing he had won this battle.

JC sighed and then nodded.  “Alright, Eric, you win.  This sounds okay.  But I am still going to comb through this file and if I’m not taken with her when we meet the deal is off.”

**

Charles stood up, zipping his fly back up and tightening his belt as she leaned back on the sofa, staring off into space.

“Are you going to watch the show tonight?” he asked her.  She snapped back to reality.

“I’ll watch from the soundboard for a bit if I can make time,” she said casually, playing hard to get.

“You should make sure you’re watchin’ durin’ the encore,” he said with a wink.  He slid his wedding band back on his finger.  With that he unlocked the bus door and slipped away. 

Whitney slowly stood back up, looking at herself in the mirror.  “Damn,” she yelled as she slammed her fist down on the table in front of her.  She could not believe that she had just done it again.  Charlie was the perfect guy.  He was charismatic, intelligent, sensitive, not to mention gorgeous.  But he was not hers.  She had lusted for him for quite some time and last week he had finally admitted he had real feelings for her.  They both got caught up in the moment, but it didn’t change the fact that Charlie was still married.  After they had hooked up, she immediately panicked and had seriously considered leaving.  She had called her own manager, Brad, to look for another assistant job for her as a way out.  Charlie just made her lose all of her inhibitions.  She lost all control around him and she couldn’t bear to put herself in such a compromised position anymore.    This was her breaking point and it was time to find a fresh start. 

She looked over at her phone and realized she had a new voicemail.  It was Brad. 

“Whitney – found a new position that I think will work out just perfectly.  JC Chasez is in desperate need of a personal assistant.  You have probably seen the whole hospitalization scandal on the news by now.  Anyway, he needs someone – really for basic personal assistant work: errands, scheduling, and basic organizational stuff.  It is really a pretty cake job for someone of your caliber.  He has a solid routine so your schedule will be more structured with far less travel.  He just has one other property besides Los Angeles.  Oh, and they are offering to pay you double your current salary.  I’m sure you’re on board, but just let me know and I’ll make the call.” 

She put her hand to her chin lost in thought.  It felt like taking a career back step.  She had worked so hard to move beyond the basic gopher errand-running personal assistant she had once been.  She was also nervous about starting work for someone that had recently been hospitalized.  Would she be required to serve as a nurse?  Provide any sort of medical care?  That was definitely not the direction she wanted to head in.  If anything, she was more interested in touring musicians and high-profile music industry acts.  But, she needed an out.  After the encounter with Charlie she had just had, she knew that the best thing for her would be to get as far away from this situation as possible.  And the stability of staying in one location for a while would do her some good.  She eagerly called Brad back to deliver the news.

**

JC looked over at his manager, then back to the nurse, then back to his manager once again.  “Is this really necessary?” he asked, looking sternly at the wheelchair in front of him.

“It’s hospital policy,” the nurse said.  “No exceptions.”  She motioned for him to have a seat.  He groaned as he made his way to the wheelchair, frustrated at how much energy it really was taking him to walk from the bed to the chair on the other side of the room.  His manager looked at him with concern.

“JC – are you alright?  Grab my arm,” he extended it.  JC looked down and then gave in, not being able to hold himself up anymore.  He held on as he made his way over to the wheelchair and had a seat.

“Now, you need to ensure you take your medication, Mr. Chasez.  You are clearly not fully recovered.  And drink plenty of fluids,” the nurse said as she started pushing his chair down the hallway.

Eric followed suit, furiously texting on his phone.  “Good news JC – that young lady accepted the offer so you have a new personal assistant!  Doesn’t it feel great?”

JC nodded, “Alright, at least she has an impressive reputation.”

As the group entered the elevator, JC mentally prepared himself for what he would be greeted with outside.  His manager had already warned him that members of the press were congregating outside to capture the moment of him leaving the hospital. 

The elevator doors reopened as he was wheeled into the lobby.  A towncar was waiting for him and he covered his face with his hands as he felt the flash of photography as he emerged amongst the mob of photographers and reporters.  He ignored their inquiries into his health as he was helped into the backseat of the car.  The car sped off and headed back to his home.  Home.  Finally a night in his own bed. 

**

Whitney sat beside the sound technicians as she watched the end of the groups’ live set.  Charles had made an announcement that he was dedicating their final song for the evening, “I Run To You,” to his very special woman.  He looked her in the eyes as he sang the opening lyrics of the song.  She sighed to herself and shook her head as she walked away and headed towards the exit of the venue, to slip back on the bus. 

Moments later the whole group had made it back to the bus.  There was really no easy way for her to tell them, but now at least they were all together. 

She sighed as she waited for them to all settle down.  “I have something to tell you,” she said, looking at the three band mates.

“Best set ever?” Dave asked, high-fiving Hilary as he said it.

Charles was quiet.  He had seen her walk off while he was singing to her and knew that this would only be bad news. 

“I have been offered a new position and I’ve decided to take it.  I’ll be leaving you all after the tour ends,” she said, pausing afterwards to read the expressions on their faces. 

“Why couldn’t you just keep it in your pants, Charlie?” Dave yelled, clearly knowing some of what had transpired.  Whitney blushed out of embarrassment.  She hadn’t realized any one had caught on. 

Charlie sat up and violently threw his wedding band against the wall.  He slammed the door behind him as he headed to his bunk.

Hilary’s reaction was softer.  “Is there anything we can do to change your mind?” 

Whitney shook her head, “It’s time for me to start over.”

**

Chapter 3: American Honey by Whit1210

Whitney climbed the short staircase to her apartment door, lugging her bags behind her.  She was exhausted and the heat was definitely getting to her.  As she unlocked the front door, she smiled and let out a long sigh.  After being on the road with the tour for months it felt so good to return home.  She opened the windows to get some fresh air in and started on unpacking. 

 

**

JC woke up early before his alarm had a chance to go off.  Normally he took any chance he had to sleep in, not being much of a morning person.  But today was different and he wanted to ensure everything was ready for her arrival.  He had stayed up late last night until the house was immaculate and meticulously organized.  He had also pulled anything and everything he could find that would be of use:  his travel schedules, appointments, contacts, finances, property information. 

He opened the French doors in his bedroom that lead to the balcony and inhaled the fresh air as the sunlight streamed into his room.  He threw on jeans and a t-shirt before heading downstairs to the coffeemaker.  As the coffee brewed he looked into the foyer mirror, running his hand through his hair nervously. 

**

Whitney felt her stomach in knots as she parked in his driveway.  Inhale.  Exhale.  Inhale.  Exhale.  Starting a new job was a nerve-wracking experience anyway, but the stress level of meeting her new celebrity boss was reaching all time highs as she opened the car door and took in a view of his home.  She eyed the front door, took one more deep breath and walked quickly before she could psych herself out. 

**

Very few things made him nervous.  He was normally a very calm and reserved person.  This whole experience, however, was working him up.  The woman he was about to meet would be with him 24/7 and he was worried about having to spend that much time with a stranger, letting them in on all of the details of his private life.  He took a deep breath as he heard the doorbell ring and headed to open the front door. 

**

She felt her heart beating faster and faster while she waited.  She heard the lock click on the door and her eyes widened as the door opened and she saw him.  His eyes met hers and he froze for a moment. 

She hesitated for a moment, taking him in.  He was attractive, incredibly attractive.  She knew he was good looking, but she hadn’t expected this.  A kind of stop-in-your-tracks but remember-to-breathe attractive.  She felt his blue eyes lock onto hers and she snapped out of it for a moment.

“Hi, I’m Whitney,” she said, trying to steady her hand as she reached it out to shake his.  She smiled with more excitement then she had intended to reveal and then felt herself blush a little in response. 

**

In all of his over-thinking, it had not even occurred to him that she would be attractive.  He had been so caught up in the title of personal assistant and the workload he would have to create; the idea had not even crossed his mind.  But here she was and he was taken aback by seeing her.  She was much younger than he had pictured and much more attractive than he would have ever imagined.  The twenty-something brunette locked her blue eyes on his as she extended her hand to him.  Snap out of it.

“I’m JC,” he said in a very slow serious tone.  His hand, however, eagerly shook hers as his pulse quickened a little as he discreetly eyed her up and down.  He realized that he had sounded a little cold and said, “Nice to meet you,” with a small smile to try to recover. 

She followed him inside the foyer of his home and took it all in.  His house was the same typical West Hollywood area type-home, but it had a nice open floor plan.  His furniture was clean and simple, but still elegant.  Rich blues, creams and browns were the main palette of his living room. 

“Did you want some coffee?” he asked, smelling the waft of coffee through the room had reminded him of the pot he had started earlier. 

“Oh no thanks, I don’t drink coffee,” she said politely.

“In this industry?  In L.A.?  You might be the only one,” he said with a slight chuckle.  She followed him into the kitchen as he poured himself a mug.  He clicked his fingers together as if remembering something and looked at the time.  He went over to the sink and opened a pill bottle, quickly popping one in his mouth and then returned to her. 

“Alright, so I guess the first thing would be to discuss what you need from me as your assistant and then we can start working on a schedule,” she said, as she pulled her laptop from her tote bag. 

“Okay, I came prepared,” he said, motioning to the large stack of papers he had placed on the dining table, “but I have to admit I have never had my own personal assistant before.”

She smiled at him, “I’ll take it easy on you, then.”  With that, she pulled out a large stack of folders she had brought from her tote and started taking his papers and filing them accordingly. 

He was impressed with how organized she was, a little obsessive-compulsive, just like him.  Maybe it would be easier than he thought it would be.  It had only taken him about twenty minutes to feel comfortable with her and he was sure it would be pleasant to have her company 24/7. 

“Oh, and hand me that prescription bottle?  I’ll put that into the schedule so you don’t miss taking another pill,” she said, typing furiously away.

He smiled a little broader as he handed it over.

**

Chapter 4: Something 'Bout A Woman by Whit1210

“Did you need to answer that?  You can, if you need to,” JC said, motioning to her phone, which was ringing for the third time.

Whitney looked down and immediately hit ignore once she saw the identity of the caller.  She put her phone on silent and looked back at him, “No, nothing important.” 

“You’re sure?  You seem a little bit distracted,” he said, trying to read if something was wrong. 

“It’s nothing to worry about.  Now, let’s focus on you.  I have your schedule for the rest of the week.  Your publicist sent over some interview information for you to review,” she said, focusing on business and ignoring her personal drama. 

“You are a godsend,” he said, shaking his head at how organized she was.  It still surprised him a bit. 

**

The two had headed off to an interview JC was doing for MTV around hype for the next season of America’s Best Dance Crew.  While JC was being prepped, Whitney hung back in the corner making some calls.  She had to make several phone calls regarding his second property in Florida;  there was a lot of maintenance to be done and since they weren’t there to manage it she was ensuring that photos would be e-mailed to her once work had been completed. 

He watched her in the corner getting work done, multi-tasking without distraction.  He had completely dismissed the idea of having a personal assistant, but Whitney had been the perfect addition.  He sighed, noticing the way she played with her hair with her left hand while she handed her phone in her right and the way she snapper her fingers when she was getting her way negotiating over the phone.  He was attracted to her and there was no denying it. 

She watched as he started the interview.  She put her other work down and concentrated on him.  He had such a comfortable energy about him and he spoke very eloquently.  The interview seemed to be going well so far. 

Many have said that your recent hospitalization was linked to depression.  Can you comment on that?

 

Whitney held her breath.  JC hadn’t been expecting to have to speak about his health and he looked like he was caught off-guard.  She leaned in, waiting to see how he would react. 

“I was recently hospitalized, but that was due to over exhaustion from over working.  I admit that I am a bit of a work-aholic.  I’m passionate about what I do.  But, I wasn’t taking enough time for me and it took a toll on my health.  I’ve taken a few precautions to ensure that it does not happen again,” he looked over at Whitney.  “I love what I do and I want to continue to pursue my interests.”

She was impressed.  He had a soft charm and she was realizing just how attracted to him she was, unable to deny it to herself anymore.  There would, however, be no acting on those feelings.  She learned her lesson from the last time.  She was not going to make the same mistakes she had made with Charlie, letting her personal feelings interfere with her professional life and cloud her judgment.  She had developed a comfortable rapport with JC and was enjoying her workload.  She was not going to do anything to jeopardize that. 

**

JC drove up to his house, looking at the time.  It was about 9 p.m.  He looked over at her, “I know it’s getting late, is it alright if we just go over some of the travel arrangements and then you can head out for the evening?” he asked her.  She nodded and slid out of the passenger seat as they headed back into his home.

“I’m just going to go upstairs and change,” he said and headed up the staircase.   

Whitney slipped outside and sat down on the balcony, preparing herself to playback her voicemail. 

Charlie’s familiar alluring drawl came on, “Whitney, please call me back.  I’ve been thinkin’ a lot and I just want to see you.  Where are you?  Please call me darlin’, I just want to hear your voice.”

She bit her nails nervously as she considered whether or not she should call him back.  Whether or not he was still her employer did not change the fact that he was still very married.  She deleted the message and then headed back inside. 

**

JC came back downstairs in sweats and noticed Whitney coming in from the balcony, clearly having checked her messages.

“Okay, where were we?” she asked, putting her phone down on the counter.

“Travel arrangements,” he said, pouring himself a glass of water.

“Oh, I left the calendar in the car.  I’ll be right back,” she said, swiftly grabbing her keys and heading out the front door.

He eyed her Blackberry, sitting on the edge of the counter.  He inched toward it and noticed the text message that was on the screen.  Miss You Darlin’ – Charlie.  Who was Charlie?  Should have known she was involved with someone.  He slowly inched back away from the phone and took a sip of his water.

She returned to the room, handing him the packet of papers.  “Here you go,” she said with a smile.

“Thanks,” he said, feeling his heart sinking in disappointment.  “How about I read this over and we can review it all tomorrow.  Go enjoy your evening,” he said.

“Oh, okay.  Have a nice night,” she said, heading out the front door.

He followed her, locking the door behind her.  He leaned against the door, letting out a sigh.  He really needed to accept the fact that Whitney was his assistant, nothing more.   

**

Whitney walked towards her apartment building.  As she headed inside, she spotted someone outside her apartment door.  He was on the ground, leaning against her door with his head in his hands. 

“Charlie,” she said out loud in disbelief, as she dropped her keys on the hallway carpet. 

Chapter 5: Love This Pain by Whit1210

“What are you doing here?” she asked in disbelief.

“I just want to talk.  Whitney, please just hear me out,” he said, looking up at her from the ground where he was sitting.

She leaned down to pick up her keys from where she had dropped them moments earlier.  She did not want to talk.  She wanted to be alone.  She slid her keys into the door and as she turned the knob she rolled her eyes, but let him in anyway.  As much as she was not in the mood for Charlie, she did not want him to cause a scene in the hallway and disturb her neighbors. 

“Thank you,” he said as he closed her front door behind him.  As she watched him pull the knob she realized that his wedding band was no longer present.  She said nothing, but put her purse down on the coffee table and sat down in one of her armchairs, so he would not sit next to her.  He sat across from her on the sofa.  “The place looks great…” he said, noticing slight changes in décor since the last time he had visited her apartment, months ago. 

“You did not come here to discuss fabric swatches and paint colors,” she said shortly, crossing her arms with impatience. 

He smiled widely, instead of taking her sarcasm to heart.  “There’s that sharp wit I missed.”  She felt her stomach tighten and her pulse quicken as he eyed her.  He looked particularly good this evening in his favorite pair of jeans and she felt herself leaning in to hear what he had to say.  He was intoxicating and she needed to get him out of her apartment immediately before something happened.  She should never have let him in.  Snap out of it.  She leaned back in her chair in protest. 

“Charlie, I have a busy day tomorrow, you should really leave…” she trailed off. 

“Whitney, I want to be with you,” he said bluntly. 

She looked at him, raising her eyebrows.  “Excuse me?”

“I want to be with you,” he said, slowly emphasizing his words.

“Charlie – you’re married!  This is ridiculous!” she said, raising her arms up with exasperation. 

He stood up from the sofa and walked towards her, kneeling down on the ground so that they were at eye-level.  “I’m going to separate from Cassie.”

She hadn’t expected this, at all.  She stared at him dumbfounded.  She hung on the word ‘going,’ and then looked at him inquisitively.  “Going to separate?”  They weren’t separated yet, apparently. 

“I wanted to profess my feelings to you first and now I am going to tell Cassie about us,” he said. 

“Charlie,” she looked at him, cautious with her next words.  “We’re not an us.  We’ve never even been on a date before-,” she was interrupted by him.

“Let’s go – right now!  You want sushi?  I am starvin’, darlin’,” he said, standing up. 

“Charlie!” her tone made him sit quietly back down.  “I know we have feelings for eachother, but it's going to take me some time to process this.” 

He looked disappointed, but sat back thoughtfully resting his head against one of her throw pillows.  “Process, eh?  What do you need to process?”

“This is just all very sudden,” she said, playing with her hair nervously.

“But, I’m not your boss anymore.  We don’t work together.  And I am not going to be a married man anymore.  I don’t understand what the problem is, darlin’,” he said, clearly frustrated.  He had come here tonight to solidify their relationship and he was not leaving without a fight. 

She seemed lost in thought for a moment.  True, most of the reasons she was objecting to their relations before were no longer an issue.  The more she started to think about it, the harder a time she was having coming up with a real objection.  “It’s just not that simple,” she trailed. 

His eyes narrowed.  “Is there someone else?  Are you seeing somebody?”

She sighed, “No, Charlie.  You know just as well as I do that this line of work doesn’t make it easy to meet people.”  He seemed relieved and she took the opportunity to stand up.  “Okay, now I really need to get ready for tomorrow.” 

He sighed, following her.  “So where does this leave us?”

“I just need some time,” she said, opening the door, encouraging him to leave.

“Can I call you?” he asked. 

She hesitated and then nodded, “Okay.”

“Goodnight, darlin’,” he said, giving her an unexpected peck on the cheek before heading down the hallway.

She closed the door and leaned against it, sighing heavily.  This was not the way she had envisioned her evening. 

**

J.C. continued to leaf through his paperwork in front of the television.  He began to review his calendar and noted the party he was supposed to be attending next weekend.  It had completely slipped his mind.  He used to attend many more parties and red carpet events years prior, but he had chosen to spend most of his time out of the limelight more recently.  The party was being hosted by a major music producer and it would be good exposure for him, but he was still nervous about attending.  He noted that Whitney had scheduled in a day for suit fittings on Wednesday in preparation for the event and he smiled at her attention to detail.  His phone buzzed and he looked over at it, seeing the text that had come over.

Come out tonight – hermit! 

His friends had been giving him a hard time, saying that he had become more reclusive the past few months.  It was true.  He wasn’t as interested in going out and partying.  He was focused in on his work and had put his personal life in the backseat of his priorities.  Some had been concerned that he was, in fact, suffering from depression.  After his hospitalization, this concern only increased.  But to J.C., he was happiest when he was working on music and expressing his creative side.  He rarely had company over, always opting to go out.  The less he socialized, the less comfortable he was when he was put into social situations.  His home and the recording studio had become private sanctuaries where he kept to himself. 

He sighed looking over at the clock and saw that it was 11:15 p.m.  He decided he would head out for a short appearance, greet his friends and catch up for a bit before heading straight back home to bed.  He headed towards his closet, trying to find something to wear.

**

J.C. headed towards the back of the club, nodding towards two of his friends as they spotted him.  Mark waved him over.  “C – get over here!  How's it going?” he asked.  The cocktail waitress headed by the table and Marked flagged her down.  “Two of these – make that three,” he said, pointing towards the drink he had in his hand.  She nodded and headed towards the bar. 

“Really, how are you?” his other friend, Jake, asked from across the table. 

“I’m doing alright,” J.C. said softly as he slid into the booth.  The waitress came back and placed the three glasses on the table and then trotted back off.  Mark slid the drink towards J.C.  He looked down at it and wrapped his hand around the glass, slowly turning it back and forth without taking a sip. 

“How is that personal assistant thing working out?” Jake asked, raising his eyebrow.

“Actually, she’s working out really well,” J.C. said, resigning himself to taking a sip from the drink.  He winced at the taste and put the glass back down.  “What is this crap, Mark?”

Mark shrugged, “It’s an Earthquake.  Mostly gin and whiskey.”

J.C. pushed the drink away from him and the cocktail waitress swung by again.  “Could I just get a Corona?” he asked and she nodded, picking up his discarded glass.

“No, no, I’ll take that!” Mark said, grabbing the glass from her and putting it back on the table.  “No use wasting it.  I’ll be back,” he said to the table as he walked away with two of the drinks in his hands headed towards a group of ladies.

She hmmm…” Jake said, smiling.  He knew how long it had been since J.C. had even been on a date, let alone had a steady relationship. 

“Whitney – she’s a nice girl.  Very detail-oriented,” J.C. said, taking a sip from the Corona bottle that had just been delivered to him. 

“I don’t want to hear about her resume, I want to hear about her…other assets…” Jake said, smirking a little. 

Mark came back to the table, butting in.  “You totally like her!  Ask her out!”

“I can’t ask her out – she’s my assistant,” J.C. said with exasperation.

“So you don’t deny it – you do like her,” Jake said.  “Who are you taking with you to the party on Saturday?” 

J.C. pursed his lips.  Jake knew just as well as he did that he didn’t have a lady friend to take with him. 

“Make it a work-date-thing.  It’s the perfect setting without seeming like a proposition,” Jake said. 

J.C. toyed with the idea as he held his phone in his hands. 

**

Whitney sat on the sofa in her pajamas, watching television while she stared blankly at her laptop screen.  She found herself lost in thought until the hiss of her tea kettle snapped her out of it and she stood up to turn it off, pouring the hot water into her mug.  She sat back down with her green tea and heard the familiar text message alert on her phone. 

Hope you’re having a nice evening.  Let’s do brunch at 11:30 a.m. Café Trella.  – J.C. 

She felt her cheeks warming as she sipped on her tea and a smile came to her lips.  This was the reason she had hesitated with Charlie.  This was what she really needed to process. 

**

 
Chapter 6: Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You by Whit1210

Whitney had set her alarm for 8:30 a.m.  Since waking up and showering, she had spent the remainder of her time crazily rummaging through her closet, maniacally throwing outfits all over in a panic.  Her nerves were getting the best of her and she was taking it out on her clothes.  She paced her room in her robe, her towel still wrapped around her damp hair.  Finally, she sat down on her bed and looked around at the complete disaster that was her room.  She shook her head as she slid the towel off of her hair, patting it dry and then stood up to head towards the bathroom.  She was embarrassed at how anxious she had become in anticipation of meeting J.C. for brunch.  It was the first time he had ever asked her to meet him somewhere that wasn’t entirely work-related.  Granted, she didn’t know what to expect.  Maybe he was just in the mood for brunch and figured he would bring work along with him.  Still, she felt her nerves settling in at the thought of meeting up with him.  It was like a pseudo-date.  But not a date…or was it?  She was still unsure, but she knew that she wouldn’t rest until she found just the right outfit that made it seem as though she had just thrown it on, looking perfect without any additional attention.  If this wasn’t a date, she was going to be sure to not send him any wrong signals.

**

J.C. sat at the table, checking his watch.  He had arrived about fifteen minutes early knowing that she was always prompt.  It was perfect outdoor dining weather – just the right temperature with the slightest breeze in the air.  He nervously scanned the menu without really noting what items were on it.  He was too busy running over how he was going to ask her to accompany him to the party over and over in his head.  His thoughts, however, were quickly interrupted by a familiar voice.

“J.C.?  Is that you?” a leggy blonde asked, stopping at his table and sliding her sunglasses down to meet his eyes.

“Oh, Bianca, hey,” he said, recognizing the socialite instantly. 

She smiled at sat down in the unoccupied chair across from him.  “So, what’s a boy like you doing having brunch all by your lonesome?”

He shifted a little, “Oh, someone is meeting me actually.”  His eyes wandered towards the entrance, seeing if Whitney was anywhere nearby.

“Alright, well I’ll just keep the seat warm then,” she smiled and remained seated.  She slid her hand across the table, resting it on top of his.  “So, are you making an appearance at the Jones Records shindig Saturday?”

He stared down at her hand on top of his and then looked back up at her.  “I think so.” 

“Well, I’m planning on being there so you should be there.”

Before he could respond, he felt the shadow of someone approaching the table.  Whitney stood beside the table with a nervous smile. 

“Hi Whitney,” he said, sheepishly pulling his hand away from Bianca’s. 

“Hey,” she said, eyeing the other woman at the table. 

Bianca returned the favor, sizing her up.  J.C. and Whitney both stared at her silently for a moment before she reacted by standing up. 

“This is Bianca.  Bianca, this is Whitney,” he said, motioning between the two women.

“Nice to meet you,” Whitney said, extending her hand.

Bianca ignored the hand gesture and gave her an air kiss instead.  “Ah, Wendy, I haven’t seen you out before.  Do I know you from somewhere?”

“Whitney,” J.C. corrected her, “is my assistant.”

Bianca’s eyes lit up.  Her attention immediately turned back to J.C. as Whitney sat down across from him.  “Well, J.C., I’ll be seeing you Saturday night.”  She winked as she trotted off. 

Whitney nervously toyed with her hair as she skimmed the menu. 

“So…” he tried to break the ice.  “How was your night?”

“Oh, it was fine.  And yours?”

“It was nice,” he said, turning his attention back to the menu. 

The server came over and interrupted the awkward conversation by asking for their orders.

**

Did you ask her yet?  Mark says you should cowboy up.  We want to meet this chick! – Jake

J.C. smiled nervously, reading the text message.

“So, Whitney…I asked you to meet me for brunch…” he looked at her, waiting to see her reaction.

She looked up, expectantly.  When he didn’t finish his sentence, she laughed lightly.  “Yes, yes you did.”

“Right…well I was hoping you would want to…if you could…”

She put her fork down with interest.  “Want to do what?”

He took a sip of water before continuing.  “Would you come with me to the party on Saturday night?”

She froze for a moment.  Normally, this would be something she would do as his assistant without hesitation.  But the way he had asked her was making her feel like this wasn’t about accompanying him as his assistant.  Was this a date?!?! 

He smiled, “It would just be nice to have someone there so I won’t have to deal with the stress of the evening by myself.”

She nodded, “Okay, sure.”

“And we can get work done while we’re there.  You’ll be so useful,” he smiled, with satisfaction.

Not a date.  “Right,” she continued to nod.  His workaholic side was revealing itself again. 

“Especially with all the contacts there, it would be great from a producing standpoint,” he started to go on and on and she zoned out for a moment, a little disappointed that what had seemed like was going to be a date was turning into working overtime on a Saturday night. 

**

Jake sat down on the sofa.  “Alright, full report.”

“What report?  There isn’t much to say,” J.C. said, fidgeting in his seat. 

Mark was busy clamoring in the bar.  The sound of glass hitting the floor reverberated through the living room.  “Don’t worry about it,” Mark yelled out over his shoulder.

J.C. sighed and rolled his eyes.

“How did you ask her?” Jake asked. 

“Um, well, I think it was pretty straightforward.”

“So you told her it was a date?”

“Well…” J.C. was interrupted by the clanking of glasses and bottles being sprawled out on the table.  Mark was determined to create another new cocktail experiment. 

“Go on…” Jake said, ignoring Mark’s mess.

“Well, I asked her if she’d like to come with me to the event…she said okay…I told her how useful it would be to have here there…”

“You called her useful?” Mark rolled his eyes, pouring shots out.

“Yeah...why…was that bad?” J.C. pursed his lips.

“Dude, you made your date sound like a business meeting.”

Jake nodded, “Gotta agree with Mark on this one.  You’re going to have up your game the day of.”

J.C. sat back into the sofa, thinking about what the guys were telling him. 

**

Whitney was in the kitchen making dinner when she heard her phone go off. 

Saturday night.  You and me.  Let’s do this – Charlie

She sighed, and paused before typing a reponse.

Sorry.  I have other plans.

**

Chapter 7: Things People Say by Whit1210

Whitney took a second-glance as she walked past the newsstand on the sidewalk.  The headlines of this week’s tabloids had caught her attention.  She snatched one from the top shelf and started leafing through it, searching for the article that linked to the cover images.  She handed some loose cash to the man behind the counter as her eyes remained on the page.  A picture the paparazzi must have snapped of Bianca sitting with JC at brunch was smattered everywhere. Absurd fictional stories of their heated affair, their secret romance and their lovechild were on every cover.  Of course, she was fairly certain it was all fictional.  However, the article had several photos of the two together at different events over the past year.  It was probably coincidental, but she found herself wondering if there was more to it than that.  They may have had a romantic past, if not a present. 

**

She balanced the coffee cups in her left hand to free her right hand to knock on the door.  She heard him pad towards the door and the click of the knob as he opened it.  He smiled at her shyly.  “Oh, is that for me?”

She smirked, “No, I actually brought both of these for me.”

He chuckled as she moved past him and shut the door behind her.  “Well, thank you.”

She plopped her purse down on the counter as she handed him his warm coffee.  He moved towards the fridge to get milk, but she put her hand out to stop him.  “It has half-and-half and two splendas.”

He shook his head with a laugh, “I should have known.”

The alarm on her phone went off and she slid the pill bottle across the counter to him.  He nodded, taking it down with his coffee.

“So what’s on the agenda for today?” she asked. 

Before JC could answer, he was interrupted by the front door slamming.  Eric came charging in, a pile of magazines in his hands.  Whitney quietly pulled her purse from the counter, tucking her own tabloid deeper into her bag with embarrassment. 

“Eric?” JC raised his eyebrow, puzzled.

In response, he threw the pile of magazines down on the table.  JC’s eyes widened at the sight of his own image with Bianca on the cover as Whitney winced in anticipation of what Eric was going to say next. 

“I can explain this,” JC said, “Eric, I was waiting for Whitney and Bianca came over…I know what it looks like, but…”

Eric gazed over at Whitney curiously, but turned back to JC.  “Well, don’t apologize, this is a publicity goldmine!”  He clapped his hands together with a smug look of satisfaction.  “My phone has been ringing off the hook all morning.  Every media outlet wants the dish on Bianca and you.  They’re all calling you the new it-couple.”  He rubbed his hands together and clapped them once again, “This is fantastic!”

JC crossed his arms, “Well there is no dish because she and I are not a couple, so I am not sure how this is benefitting you or me.”

Eric’s eyes lit up, “Ah, yes, well that’s where you’re wrong, my friend.  You are the new it couple and you are going to that party Saturday night together.”

JC looked over at Whitney, pursing his lips.  “But, I was going to bri-“

“-now I already spoke with Bianca’s people and it’s all arranged.  She is going to come over here to meet you and then you will be arriving at the party together.  The paparazzi will have a field day!”

“Bianca was on board with this?” JC scratched his head, bringing his fingers to his temple.

Eric smiled, “Yes, I think you charmed her.”

Whitney felt her stomach tightening with jealousy as she continued to sit silently at the kitchen counter. 

JC narrowed his eyes at Eric.  “This is absurd – I am not doing this.  This is nonsense.”

“JC, you worry about being an artist.  You pay me to worry about you being a celebrity.  Now, spare me the lecture on how you are not a sell-out like all these other Hollywood-types.  The reality is that I am as close as I can be to cutting you a new record deal, but the biggest obstacle we have is that you’re not much of a celebrity right now.  We live in a world where celebrity sells records, not artistry.  So as your manager, I am telling you that this move is going to be the difference in your music being released or collecting dust in your studio.” 

Whitney held her breath as she waited for JC’s response.  The silence in the room said it all as the look of defeat washed over his face. 

Eric smiled with satisfaction.  “Alright, now Whitney,” he looked over at her.  She sat up expectantly.  “Rearrange the limousine arrangements.  I want you with them handling every detail so this night goes off without a hitch.”

She swallowed, trying to come up with any excuse to get out of it.  “Well, I…don’t you think it’s better if they’re alone on their date together?  Maybe it would be easier if I didn’t go.”

 “No – we need you there to keep JC on track.  He has to successfully network the room.”

She nodded as she looked down at the text message on her phone.

You still have plans all Saturday night? - Charlie

 

She paused before typing a response.

I might be able to get off work early.

 

**

Chapter 8: Lookin' For A Good Time by Whit1210

Whitney pulled into the driveway, noting that there were two unfamiliar cars already parked there.  She assumed one must be Bianca’s, but was unsure of who the second one belonged to.  As she turned the car off, she took a long breath and leaned back in her seat.  She had originally been looking forward to this evening until Eric had hijacked it.  Granted JC had asked her to accompany him in what seemed to be a work capacity, but it was a nice proposition at the time.  She had been looking forward to spending time with him in a social setting, even if it teased the feelings for him she had been suppressing.  Instead, her evening would most likely consist of being dragged along through this publicity charade and cattle-herding interviews on the red carpet.  She slipped out of the car and headed to the front door, trying to force a slight smile as the warm evening air breezed by.  She knocked timidly and heard footsteps shuffling in the foyer.

The door opened and she felt herself easing as she met the gaze of his blue eyes.  He had on a black blazer over a white button-down shirt.  Even with dark jeans on, he was still more dressed up than she had ever seen him before.  He cleaned up nicely. 

 “Whitney,” a smile formed on his lips at the sight of her, as she moved past him inside.  “Thanks for coming.”

She nodded, “Of course.”  Her cheeks reddened slightly as she felt his gaze move down her navy dress. 

He swallowed nervously.  “You look stu-st…” he trailed off. 

She looked up at JC curiously when he didn’t finish his sentence and followed his eye line to the mystery guest that had entered the foyer behind her.  He looked familiar, but she couldn’t place him. 

“The word he was going to use was stunning,” he said with a light chuckle as he stepped towards her. 

“I was,” JC nodded, sheepishly.  “You look stunning.”

Before Whitney could react, the guest reached out to shake her hand.  “Hi, I’m Jake.  It is a real pleasure to meet you, Whitney.”  He grinned as he looked over at JC.  “I’ve heard so many things about you.”

She eyed the two of them, noting their banter indicated that JC was talking about her to his friends and she felt the slightest sense of satisfaction.  JC had spoken about Jake on several occasions and had mentioned that he was in public relations.  He still looked familiar, but she assumed it was because of his presence in the photos of JC’s friends that were framed in the living room. 

Before the three could carry on their conversation, the sharp echo of heels tapping down the main staircase made them all turn.  Bianca was headed towards them, having finished primping upstairs.  She wore a red silk dress with a neckline so low it seemed that a potential red carpet nip-slip photo seemed eminent.  JC stood slack-jawed at her and Whitney felt the small knot of jealousy in her stomach tighten. 

“Bianca, wow…” he brought his hand to his chin. 

His thoughts were interrupted by her angry tone.  “What is he doing here?” she asked, crossing her arms. 

“Aw B, it’s always nice to see you, too!”  Jake flashed a sarcastic smile at her.  “I was brought in to chaperone.  Don’t want you kids getting into too much trouble tonight.”

“Whatever, Jake.  You’re not getting out of the limo until we are good and clear.  I am not having you anywhere near this,” she said. 

JC seemed frozen in place.  Whitney cleared her throat to cut the tension.  “The limousine is here now,” she motioned to the driveway.

“Let’s go, let’s go,” Bianca said, heading out the front door.  Jake rolled his eyes as he followed her. 

Whitney eyed the tie lying across the back of the sofa in the living room and picked it up.  “JC?”

“Oh, I forgot…” he smiled, reaching for it.  He took it from her and slipped it around his neck and she noticed his hands nervously shaking as he tried to tie it.  “Would you, um, mind?”

She nodded, straightening his collar as she pulled the ends of the tie to line up.  He raised his chin as she wrapped the fabric around, knotting it.  “There,” she admired her handy work.

“Thanks, I’m a little nervous,” he said, locking eyes with her.  “I haven’t been to one of these things in a while.”

“You’re going to do fine tonight,” she said reassuringly as they headed out.

**

Whitney sat quietly in the limo as JC and Bianca held a private conversation at the other end.  Every now and then Jake would make a little joke with her to engage, but for the most part she found herself checking her phone and reviewing e-mails to pass the time.  She felt her phone vibrate from a text message alert and opened it.

What are you doin’?  - Charlie

She smiled.  Heading to a work thing.

What time do you get out?  I would love to split early from this party to come see you. – Charlie

What party are you at?

“We’re here,” Bianca said, clapping her hands with excitement.  Whitney slipped her phone into her bag as she readied herself for the nonsense to come. 

The door opened and JC slid out, reaching his hand and pulling Bianca out behind him.  He slipped his arm around her.  From the limo, Whitney could feel the flash of what seemed to be a million cameras.  A paparazzi army seemed to be in a complete frenzy at the sight of the couple.

After waiting a few beats, Jake turned to her. “Ready?”

She nodded as he helped her out after him.  She kept a safe distance from JC and Bianca, able to hear what was said without being caught in any of the photos.  When interviewers tried to get them to answer questions, Bianca would coyly respond.  She was doing an impressive job at answering without revealing very much information.  JC nodded without saying much of anything as they made their way down the carpet.

**

The group made their way into the party.  Quite a bit of attention seemed to be on Bianca and JC and Whitney felt herself trying to slip into the background of the party.  Jake must have sensed her discomfort, as he stayed with her. 

“You don’t have to wait with me,” she said.

They stopped by the end of the bar.  “I don’t mind.  It’s a rare luxury to have the company of a real person at one of these things.  You’re certainly better company than JC’s new plastic girlfriend.”

She resisted the urge to laugh in response, afraid of how it would come off.  The bartender approached them.  “What can I get you folks?”

“I’ll have a gin and tonic.  What would you like, Whitney?”

She paused, “Oh, that’s alright.  I’m working.”

“Are you sure?”

“A lemon drop for the lady,” she heard a deep voice say from behind her.  The bartender nodded and headed off to fill their order.

She turned and instantly recognized Mark Ryans, the Hollywood actor.  “There’s no way Jake convinced someone to be his date for this thing, so you must be Whitney.  I’m Mark.”

“It’s nice to meet you.  How could you tell I was a vodka girl?”

“There are two things I know in this world,” he said.

Jake rolled his eyes, “Here we go…”

“Booze and women.  Now where is our little buddy?”

“Looks like he’s working the room with the ice queen,” Jake motioned to JC and Bianca, who were at the other end of the bar.  Whitney looked over at him and he caught her glance, giving her a shy little wave.  She waved back.  Bianca had broken away from him to speak to some of her friends, so he headed over towards his own group. 

As he rejoined them, Mark clapped his hands.  “Yes, this song!  Right now!  Dance with me,” he pulled on Whitney’s arm.

She put her hand up in protest, “Oh, no thanks.”

“No, you see, I don’t really do the whole rejection thing,” he laughed as he continued to tug on her arm. 

 “He is relentless.  You should accept defeat,” Jake said. 

She gave in, as he pulled her to the dance floor.  JC watched as she moved slowly at first, insecure at the glances at her by spectators.  Once enough people had crowded around them, she started to cut loose.  Mark leaned in and whispered a joke in her ear and she laughed loudly in response.  She covered her mouth with slight embarrassment.  JC felt a tug of jealousy watching the two of them together, wishing he could be the one dancing with her and making her laugh.

Jake turned to him.  “She likes you, at least a little.  There’s something between you two.”

JC pursed his lips.  “I don’t think she’s single.”

“I think she was texting some guy in the limo, but I doubt it’s serious.  The way she looks at you says something.”

“Hey Jake,” a tall blonde man patted him on the shoulder.

“Hey!  JC, you’re friends with Josh Kelley, right?  This is his brother, Charles.  We know each other through Capitol Records.  You guys should talk production.”

“Hey man, I am a huge fan of your work.  Admittedly, I haven’t really dabbled in country music.  But, I love your sound.”  JC started in and the two became entrenched in conversation. 

**

Whitney had been having more fun dancing than she had had all night.  Mark was a complete goofball, but between him and Jake she felt like she was getting to know JC better.  Mark mentioned getting some water so she followed him off the dance floor to head back to their group.  She looked over and froze in place at the sight before her.  There was Charlie sitting at the bar with Jake and JC cracking jokes.  She felt her stomach tightening as she timidly moved towards them. 

“Whit,” Charlie said, flashing his brightest smile.  “I didn’t know work was this party tonight.”

JC looked at the two of them curiously.  “Wait, how do you two know each other?”

**

Chapter 9: Love's Lookin' Good On You by Whit1210

Charlie placed a hand on JC’s shoulder and motioned towards her.  “Whit and I are old friends.”

She tried to hide the guilt from her face as she recovered from being caught off guard at their interaction.  It had never occurred to her that JC and Charlie would end up crossing paths, let alone on a night like this.  She tried to recover and smiled, “Charlie and I used to work together.”

Jake finished a sip of his drink and nodded, “That’s where I recognize you from.  You were working on their tour.”  She nodded, now recalling that he looked familiar because he had worked on publicity campaigns for the same record label.

Charlie chuckled.  “Well, ain’t this a small world!  So, you’re the new boss, huh?  You hooked a good one here, better not let her go.”  He turned from JC and winked at her.

JC nodded, taking in the relations between the two of them, wondering if Charlie was the Charlie.  The Charlie that she was texting back and forth with all the time.  The thought that their relationship had been a working one and not a personal one was somewhat of a relief, especially noting the wedding band on Charlie’s finger.  His thoughts were interrupted as Bianca approached him. 

She pulled at his tie playfully.  He swallowed nervously as she took his drink from his hand and placed it on the bar counter behind him.  “JC, come with me,” she said, pulling him.  He followed her reluctantly, looking over his shoulder at Charlie and Whitney lost in conversation with each other.

“What’ll it be folks?” Mark asked, standing behind the bar and tapping his hands on the counter.

“How did you even get back there?” Jake asked, shaking his head.

“I went around to the other side.  Turns out that nice girl over there is a fan of my work,” he said, pointing to the female bartender on the other end. 

“Riiight, you’re work.” 

“Thanks, wiseass.  Just for that, you’ll settle for whatever I can mix together back here.”  There was clanging around as Mark seemed to be pulling out different liquor bottles, garnishes and glasses.

Seeing that Jake was distracted by Mark, Charlie leaned in closer to Whitney.  “So, what time do you get out of here tonight?”

She shook her head, “I’m not really sure.  We all came in the limo together, so I guess as soon as they’re all ready to leave.”

Mark broke them out of their conversation as he slammed five drinks on the bar.  “Order up!”

“What is in this?” Charlie asked, staring into the glass tentatively. 

“Oh, there’s a little of this, a little of that.  Where’s our third amigo?”  Mark looked up and down the bar.  Jake responded by looking out into the crowd to see if he could spot JC and Bianca.  Whitney and Charlie turned to take tentative sips from the glasses in front of them. 

“Sorry, that’s disgustin’ y’all,” Charlie said, pushing the glass away from him. 

“No, that’s disgusting,” Jake said, motioning out into the crowd.  Bianca and JC were sitting alone together on a plush sofa across the room, her lips pressed against his. She had her hands cupped around his chin as she pulled him closer to her, engaging in more lip lock. 

Whitney felt a knot of jealousy in her stomach as she took the drink in front of her and gulped it down, ignoring the burning feeling as the liquor moved through her. 

Mark chuckled.  “Maybe JC should be the actor around here.”

“I don’t think he’s acting,” Jake muttered. 

“Isn’t that his girlfriend?” Charlie asked.

“Well, no.  Yes?  It’s complicated…” Whitney shook her head, feeling a headache coming on from the alcohol and the events of the evening. 

Jake shook his head, “He better be careful.  I hear if you look her directly in the eye, you’ll turn to stone.”

Charlie laughed, “That was pretty good.”

“Hey,” Jake looked at him curiously, “Where’s Cassie tonight?”

Charlie cleared his throat nervously, “She…she ain’t into this sort of thing.”

Whitney pointed to her empty glass.  “Mark, I’ll have a refill.”

**

JC’s eyes wandered back away to his group of friends.  Mark had somehow made his way behind the bar and was serving drinks to the crowd.  Of course he would.  Whitney was still sitting at the bar with them and he felt a pang of guilt for not spending more time with her this evening.  Bianca was on her phone so he took the opportunity to make his way back towards his friends and check up on her.

“How’s everything going?” he asked.

“Oh, Mark’s poisoning all of us.  Looks like you could use some,” Jake slid a drink towards him.

Charlie stood up.  “Alright y’all, I’m gonna call it a night.  It was nice meetin’ you JC.  Have a nice rest of your evenin’ Whitney.”  He squeezed her shoulder as he walked away with a wave.

Bianca soon returned.  “Hey, I just scored you an invite to accompany me to an after party up in Malibu.”

“Oh, what do you guys say?” JC asked the group.

Bianca shook her head, “No, I could only get an invite for you and me.  No riff-raff allowed,” she pointed to Jake, who rolled his eyes at her.

“I can’t just leave everyone,” he said, looking over at Whitney.

“But, it’s really important that we make an appearance,” she tapped her heel with impatience. 

“Go on, we’ll get Whitney home,” Mark offered.

Jake shot him a stern glare in response.  Whitney tried not to react.

Bianca clapped her hands, “Alright, I’m just going to say some goodbyes.”

JC sighed, “Are you guys sure?”

Whitney nodded, “Yeah, I am ready to call it a night anyway.  Have a nice time, JC.  I’m just going to use the rest room and I’ll be right back.” 

Jake nodded as she headed off.  “You know you’re an idiot, right?”

JC frowned, “Why?”

“You’re not going to win over the real girl that you should be with while you are busy traipsing around with the fake one.” 

Before JC could respond, Bianca returned.  “Ready?”  He nodded, following her through the party out to the limousine.

Mark leaned over the bar.  “I think Whitney likes him.”

“Yeah, I think she does, too.  But we have a slight problem.”

“What?  Bianca?”

“Well, Bianca is a major headache. But, I’m talking about the fact that Whitney is sleeping with Charlie.”

“Whaaat?  Isn’t he married?”

“Yeah…”

“Wow, that little minx.”

Jake pushed his empty glass towards him. “Okay, get out from behind there.  I’m ready to call it a night.”

“But, I have to rinse the glasses and wipe down the bar.”

Seriously?  Are you method acting right now?  Get out from behind the bar.”

**

Whitney yawned as she made her way to her apartment from the parking lot.  The night had hardly been what she had expected.  On the one hand, spending time with Mark and Jake had been fun and she felt like she was getting to know JC better on a personal level.  On the other hand, seeing him with Bianca was getting under her skin.  And then seeing Charlie brought up old feelings…

“Charlie?”

He stood outside her door holding a bottle of sparkling wine and a paper shopping bag.  “I was hoping you’d get home soon.”

She couldn’t help the smile that formed on her lips.  “What’s all this?” 

“Well, I figured you might want some dessert.  I hope that’s not too forward of me.”

She slipped her key into the door and opened it, gesturing for him to follow.  “It’s sweet, actually.”  She sat down on the sofa as he made his way next to her, placing the items on the coffee table.  He slowly settled beside her, running his fingers through her hair.  “It’s kind of funny how we ended up at the same event tonight.”

“Maybe it happened for a reason,” he smiled as he leaned in.

“Maybe,” she said, inhaling the familiar scent of his cologne as she brought her lips to his. 

 

 

Chapter 10: Heart of the World by Whit1210

Beep.  Beep.  Beep.  She groaned as she reached her hand out, hitting the snooze button on her alarm clock.  As she settled back down, he adjusted his grip around her waist. 

“You set your alarm on Sundays?” he whispered, keeping his eyes closed. 

She chuckled, “I didn’t want to spend all day in bed, Charlie.”

“Ah, but that was before you knew you’d be havin’ company,” he fluttered his eyes open, sleepily smiling at her. 

She sat up, yawning.  “True, but I don’t want to spend all of my day off in bed.”  She turned her Blackberry on and noted the text message alert. 

Hope you got home safe. - JC

She smiled to herself, but her mind wandered to how his night had been alone with Bianca. 

Charlie reached his arm further across her stomach, tickling her side as he pulled her closer to him.  She placed her phone back down on her nightstand.  “Stay in bed with me for just a lil’ while longer.”

She rested her head on his shoulder, “Maybe just a little while longer.”

His eyes lit up.  “How about we go on our real first date today?”

“What did you have in mind?”

He brought a finger to his chin thoughtfully, “How about a lazy Sunday brunch?” 

“Can we do that?  I mean, you were wearing your ring last night at the party…”

He cleared his throat, “I’ve been wearin’ it out in public.  It’s just easier than answerin’ questions ‘bout it until the separation is finalized.  But, I would very much like to take you out.” 

Whitney hesitated, but he pecked her on the forehead for reassurance.  She smiled, “Brunch it is then.”

**

The two were seated at an outside table at a small restaurant with sunglasses for both blocking the bright sun and shielding their identities.  Charlie adjusted his baseball hat nervously as the server took their order.

“Are you sure about this?  We could just get take-out.  Really, I don’t mind…” she said, following his nervous glances around at the other tables.

“It’s fine, really,” he said, shaking his head. 

She fidgeted slightly in her chair, “So this is nice, right?”

He nodded, “It’s a beautiful day out.”  He smiled as their entrees were delivered to the table.  “I’m having a delicious brunch with my lady.  Things are definitely better than nice.”

“Definitely.”

The snap of a camera turned both of their attentions to the sidewalk, where the paparazzi had seemingly discovered them.  Charlie slid further down in his seat and Whitney looked away, moving her hair in front of her face.

“Damn,” he muttered under his breath.

“We can go.  We should go,” she whispered.

“No, I promised you brunch and we’re going to have brunch.”

“Okay,” she half-smiled, trying not to show her discomfort. 

**

She checked her phone, noting that the red alert light was on and it looked like she had been slammed with about eighty-seven e-mails during her twenty-minute commute.  She knocked timidly on the door, waiting for JC to open it. 

“You know, you don’t have to knock…I know to expect you,” he smiled, shyly.

She nodded, “I know, but it’s your home.  It’s not some office I swipe a card to get into.”  She moved inside and he closed the door behind her.  She opened her e-mail and noticed that a blitz of entertainment articles had been forwarded to her, assuming it was press surrounding JC and Bianca.

“So, how was the rest of your weekend?” he asked. 

“Oh,” she looked up, “Just a lazy Sunday.  How was the party in Malibu?”

He shifted, “It was…exhaustive.  I forgot what parties like that are like.”

“Sorry you didn’t have a better time.”

He leaned against the kitchen counter, “It’s alright.  The price I pay, I suppose.  So, about you and Charlie…”  She looked up at him, holding her breath.  “How closely did you work with him?”

“I…I was his assistant,” she stammered, “Then I became the band’s tour manager for this past summer.”

“That’s really impressive,” he sighed.  “Being my assistant seems like a far cry from excitement.”

“I was looking for a change of pace.  Besides, it’s not all bad,” she grinned as she poured a glass of water.

He chuckled, “I appreciate that.  Well, anyway, I was talking to Charlie…”  She stopped mid-sip.  “…about producing and whatnot.  It was just a casual conversation, but I do think it would be a solid move for me.”

She looked at him, “Oh.”

“Yeah, but I was wondering if maybe you could put in a good word for me.”

“Um,” she saw that his eyes were pleading with her.  “Sure, yeah, I can talk to him about it.”

“Thanks, you’re a lifesaver,” he said, gently squeezing her shoulder.  They heard the noise of a car pulling into the driveway and spotted Eric heading towards the front door. 

“So, what brings Eric here?”

JC shrugged, “I think he wants to review how the party went.”

Eric came in, applauding the two of them.  “There they are, my little publicity gurus.”  The three headed into the living room. 

JC grabbed a throw pillow to prop against his back as he sat down on the sofa, “The press went that well?”

Eric nodded, “Phone, e-mail, tweets – everything is flooded with talk about you and Bianca.  US Weekly wants to do a photo shoot.”

JC shook his head, “Please don’t torture me like that.”

Eric laughed, “Of course, I told them no.  We need to surround this with some mystery to keep everyone’s attention.  They are still going to have a line-item about the two of you at the party, but that’s not the only attention we’re getting.”  He turned his attention to Whitney, who sat idly on the couch.

“Wait, what?” she raised her eyebrow.

Eric leaned back with a look of smug satisfaction, “Everyone’s talking about how JC Chasez’s assistant is in a new celebrity relationship of her own.”

She sucked in a breath.  The idea that her affair with Charlie had been exposed already was terrifying her.  How did they get a hold of that brunch picture so quickly?  And how did they identify her?

JC cleared his throat, “What are you talking about, Eric?”

Eric raised a copy of Star Magazine, with satisfaction.  The cover was a picture of JC helping Bianca out of the limo at the party from Saturday night.  Embedded in the corner of the photo was a smaller photo of Whitney dancing with Mark.  “Mark Ryans sets his sights on Chasez’s assistant.” 

“Oh, that is…embarrassing,” she said, bringing a hand to her cheek.  She was relieved that it had nothing to do with Charlie, but it was still far more exposure than she would ever want for herself.  The picture was of the two of them dancing with Mark holding her hand.  It was funny how misleading that one photograph of the two of them was.  She took the magazine from Eric’s hand and flipped to the article.  There was mostly garbage gossip about JC and Bianca’s relationship, silly rumors that “close friends” and “exclusive sources” were sharing.  The side article about her and Mark was brief and focused on her as the mystery girl that was serving as personal assistant to JC Chasez.  At least they didn’t publish her name.  There was a close-up photo of Mark whispering in her ear.  Seriously, someone must have had their camera phone out ready to pounce at that party.  The second photo, on the other hand, caused her to suck in her breath again.  It showed Mark behind the bar serving drinks while she stood in between Jake and Charlie.  Even though the article was making it sound like her and Mark were seeing each other, it was the picture that included her and Charlie that she found most alarming.   

 “This is HUGE!  It’s the kind of publicity jackpot a manager dreams about!” Eric grinned from ear to ear.  “This is also really going to improve Mark’s lothario image.”

JC put his hand out, silently asking to see the article.  Whitney handed it over to him and watched as his facial expression moved from curiosity to irritation.  “She didn’t sign up for any of this publicity, Eric.  No more of that.”  Whitney sat silently on the sofa with discomfort.

Eric stood up, “I understand, but you can’t control what the press is led to believe.  The juicier the better, you know.  I am off to a meeting, but I’ll be in touch with you both.  I did hear back from Universal Music Group.  That’s pretty promising, JC.”

“Really?” he responded in a softened tone.  He had moved from annoyance to awe in a matter of seconds at the mere mention of a possibility of a break for him.

**

Chapter 11: Perfect Day by Whit1210

Whitney shifted her weight to balance the package in her hands as she knocked on the apartment door.  Footsteps made their way to the door in response and he opened it with a wide grin on his face. 

“Well, well,” he leaned his tall-frame against the doorway as he surveyed her.  “You brought me somethin’?”

“Charlie, it’s not just something,” she laughed lightly as she handed the box over to him.  “It’s the cake.”  She closed the door behind her and they made their way into the living room of his loft apartment. 

His eyes lit up as he took the lid off the box.  “You made me 10-layer cake?  My favorite thing in the entire world!  What is the occasion, darlin’?”  His eyes were fixated on the cake as he set it down on the kitchen counter. 

“Can’t a girl just do something nice?  No strings attached?” she grinned slyly, as she pulled two forks from his silverware drawer, settling on a stool across from him at the counter. 

He chuckled, “No, definitely not.  You’re up to somethin’.  Don’t worry though, I’ll say yes.  I’d do anything for a bite of that cake.”

“I am so glad to hear you say that,” she grinned, slipping her fork into the thick butter cream frosting.  She tasted it with satisfaction and then handed him the other fork.  “I do have a small, teeny, tiny favor to ask of you.”

He dug his fork into the cake taking a heaping bite-full and then clapped his hands together.  “This is still the best dessert in the world!  I say yes, I’ll do whatever you want, darlin’.”  He went back to blissfully sampling the cake.

“Well, that’s perfect.  So, I was thinking you could meet with JC next week at some point to go over logistics.”

He cocked his head, “What?”

“JC is going to produce a song for your next album,” she smiled. 

“Whitney, I appreciate that you are tryin’ to promote your boss and everything, but he’s a bit of a has-been, don’t you think?”  He put his fork down and leaned against the kitchen counter.

“No, I don’t.  He’s really talented, Charlie.  He just needs to produce a radio hit to pick his career back up and you are the perfect band to do it.”  She put her right hand on her hip for emphasis.

“Well, I am gonna have to run this all by Hilary and Dave, but I’m sure we can all agree to meet with him and see what kind of ideas he’s playing around with.  I am heading back to Nashville Tuesday through the weekend, but we can see about something the following week.  Oh, and if it means I get to spend more time with you, all the better,” he leaned down and cupped her chin in his hand. 

**

Whitney sat back-stage in JC’s dressing room while they taped another episode of America’s Best Dance Crew.  She had gone straight to a production meeting in the morning to review his schedule for next week while he had gone into make-up so she hadn’t actually seen him yet to deliver the news.  She was still apprehensive about Charlie and JC spending time together, but this really could be the kind of break JC needed.  Eric had gotten his hopes up at the mention of Universal Music Group, but he hadn’t heard anything back from them yet and seemed to be growing restless.  She turned as the door opened, expecting to see JC.  Instead she saw Bianca.  Why was she here?

“Bianca?  Hi,” she said, forcing a smile.

“Oh, is he still in taping?” she asked, looking around the room.

“Yeah, I think he’s going to be in for at least another twenty minutes.  Is there something I can do for you?”

“I just thought it would be a good idea to see where my man spends his day-time.  Meet some of his co-workers, get a little face-time, that sort of thing…” she plopped down on the small loveseat opposite Whitney’s chair. 

Whitney nodded, “Oh, okay.”  Definitely not okay.  This relationship was starting to seriously blur the lines between reality and fiction.  The more time she was around Bianca the less she wanted to be around her.  Even though Bianca was never directly mean to her, there was some sort of underlying passive aggression that made Whitney uncomfortable.  Bianca had a pretty nasty reputation and had been unable to keep a personal assistant of her own for more than three weeks at a time before they’ would quit.  

“Well, since we’re going to be spending so much time together, I feel like I should get to know you better,” she continued, looking at Whitney curiously.

“Um, what did you want to know?”  Whitney glanced at the clock, hoping that JC would come backstage and end this torture. 

“Well, are you seeing someone?” she asked.  

Whitney hesitated.  She didn’t want to lie, but she also didn’t want to share the full truth.  “Nothing serious.”

“Aw, that’s too bad.  You’re such a nice girl.  JC always speaks so highly of you.  Mark’s pretty hot though, isn’t he?” 

“He’s attractive,” she looked away pretending to text something on her phone.  Anything to get out of this conversation. 

“Just attractive?”

Whitney sighed, “I guess he’s not really my type.”

Bianca smirked, “Oh, you have a type?  What’s your type, Whitney?”

Whitney fidgeted slightly, “I’m not sure.  Maybe someone less extroverted and a little more centered?”

Bianca leaned in and narrowed her eyes slightly, “Maybe someone like JC?”

Whitney’s cheeks reddened slightly.  She was about to respond when the door opened and JC entered the room.

“Ladies, what did I miss?” he asked.

**

Chapter 12: Friday Night by Whit1210

JC’s entrance had been a welcome interruption.  Whitney had wanted nothing more to do with the direction Bianca had taken their conversation. 

“Just girl talk,” Bianca grinned at him, turning away from Whitney.  “Are we still on for dinner tonight?”

He nodded, “Picking you up at 7.” 

Whitney slipped her purse over her shoulder and stood up from her seat.  “I’m going to head out - hope you both have a nice evening.” 

“Wait, Whitney,” he said.  She turned to face him as he cleared his throat and motioned towards Bianca.  “Why don’t you come to dinner with us?”  She could feel Bianca’s glare burning into her. 

“Oh,” she put up her hand in defense.  “No.  I couldn’t impose.” 

“You wouldn’t be imposing,” he said, shaking his head.  He was completely oblivious to Bianca’s scowl.  “It’s somewhere really low key.” 

Whitney really just wanted to say no and go home.  Dinner with this couple meant frustration on over-time.  But, his offer made her sense that he was nervous about having dinner alone with Bianca and wanted the company so she forced a smile.

“Okay, sure.” 

Bianca smiled, “Why don’t we call Mark?  Let’s make it a group date.” 

**

Whitney headed to the door, responding to the loud knock on it.  She opened the door and saw Mark leaning against the doorway with his aviator sunglasses still in place.  “So, this is where my girlfriend lives.”

She smiled nervously, “Oh, the g-word.  Bet you aren’t used to using that.”

He chuckled, “And my girlfriend has a sense of humor.  What else is she harboring?”  He came in and looked around the apartment.  “Nice digs.  Can I see the bedroom?”

She rolled her eyes, “Nice try.”

“It was worth a shot.  I know you’re a classy girl, dinner first.”  He headed out the front door and she followed, locking it behind her.

“Thanks for the reassurance,” she laughed as she headed after him out to his car.  He opened the door for her and then went around to his side.

“I think we are already winning the better-fake-couple competition,” he smiled. 

She frowned, “I didn’t know it was a competition.”

He took his eyes off the road to look over at her for a moment.  “Wow, are we having our first fight?  This is a huge step for us.  You know what comes after fighting, right?  Making up.”

She smiled, “You are ridiculous.  You know that, right?”

He grinned widely as he turned his attention back on the road, “Proud of it.”

**

As Mark pulled up to the restaurant he groaned, “What the fuck?”  Paparazzi were swarming outside.  Whitney shifted uncomfortably in her car seat.  “Stay in the car and I’ll escort you, okay?”  She nodded and he opened his door, handing the keys to the valet.  He made his way through the camera flashes around the car to open her door.  He held his hand out for her and she squeezed it tightly as she stood up out of the car.  The paparazzi moved in tighter and yelled out to Mark to entice a response.  He managed to ignore them, as he pulled Whitney firmly to his side and made it through the entrance of the restaurant.  They saw Bianca and JC at a table towards the back and made their way over.  She had her hand wrapped around his bicep as she whispered into his ear. 

JC looked up, “Hey guys.”  His eyes took in Whitney hand, still nervously holding on to Mark’s. 

“What’s with the crap-arazzi?” Mark asked, rolling his eyes as he let go of Whitney’s hand to pull out her chair for her.  She sat down and he sat down beside her. 

JC scratched his head, “Not sure.  They were here before we even arrived.”

“The sea bass is excellent here,” Bianca said, looking up from her menu.  Mark gave her a curious glance before turning his attention to his menu. 

**

Dinner had been awkward with clear tension in the air.  Mark had tried to save conversation by sharing lively stories from his week on-set. 

“Did you want to see the dessert menu?” the waiter asked. 

“I think we’re all set,” JC said, looking around the table.  “Just the check, thanks.”

Bianca leaned into him and whispered, “We could have dessert later.”

Mark squeezed Whitney’s thigh under the table in response.  While the dinner had been painful, she was enjoying the camaraderie that was forming between them over their mutual disdain for Bianca.  They all stood up from the table and shared goodbyes before fighting through the swarming crowd of paparazzi one more  time before making it safely to their cars. 

**

Mark pulled into Whitney’s apartment complex.  “I had fun tonight.  You’re the best fake date I’ve ever had.”

She smiled, “Thanks, Mark.”

He looked at her with a serious expression.  “Do you think they like each other?”

She looked at him, “What do you mean?”

“Bianca has always wanted to sink her teeth into him.  That doesn’t surprise me.  But, JC never went for her.  Not until now.”

She shook her head, “I guess I don’t really know what’s going on with them.”

He sighed, “I don’t really trust her.  JC’s a really nice guy and she’ll take total advantage of him with her crap.”  She sat silently in agreement.  “Do me a favor and keep your eye on her.”

**

Whitney arrived at JC’s house, his coffee in her hand per their usual morning routine.  She knocked as she opened his door and made her way through the kitchen and into the living room.  No sign of him.  She moved curiously through the foyer into the study and still saw no sign of JC.  She headed back towards the kitchen.  “Hello?” she called out.  She heard voices coming from outside and curiously headed out to the patio.  She looked out at the pool and sucked in a breath at the sight of JC and Bianca.  They were lounging together on the large cushioned outdoor sofa.  Bianca appeared to be simply wearing her bra and underwear and JC seemed smitten.  Whitney clumsily backed up at the realization that Bianca had spent the night, knocking into one of the porch chairs. 

JC turned suddenly at the noise.  “Oh, hey Whitney,” he waved at her. 

She stood frozen in place.  “H-h-hiiii,” she stammered and dropped his coffee, which spilled all over the porch.    

**

Chapter 13: Our Kind of Love by Whit1210

“I’m so sorry,” Whitney said, putting her bag down and heading back into the kitchen to gather paper towels.  She felt her cheeks burning with embarrassment as JC headed over to help her. 

“Don’t worry about it.  It was nice of you to bring coffee in the first place,” he put his hand out to take some of the towels from her and leaned down to help her clean. 

 “I didn’t realize you had company.  I can come back later or work downstairs,” she offered as she stood up.

He shook his head, “Don’t be ridiculous, you’re always a welcome interruption.”  He chuckled as he looked over at Bianca, “She and I stayed out late and then she decided she wanted to go for a swim...in her clothes.  Now, what’s on the agenda for today?”

She smiled.  “So, I had a chance to talk to Charles,” she watched as his eyes lit up.  “The band is definitely interested in hearing what you have and seeing if they can collaborate with you on a potential single.”

JC grinned widely, “Whitney, this is incredible!”  He wrapped his arms around her shoulders to give her a tight hug.  “Thank you so much.  I owe you big-time.”

“You don’t owe me anything,” she shook her head. 

“Babe,” Bianca called out to him.  “What’s so exciting?”

“Whitney has convinced Lady A to give me a shot at working on a song with them,” he smiled.

Bianca raised her sunglasses, “How nice of her.”

He ignored Bianca’s response.  “How soon can I meet with them?”

“Well, the rest of the group is in Nashville now, but Charlie is in town for another night.  I could setup a meeting for tomorrow.  Would that be enough time for you?”

“It’ll have to be,” he clasped his hands together.  “I’m going to need your help, though.”

**

Bianca had said goodbye and headed out.  In typical form, she pulled out of the driveway in her car still only in her lingerie.  Anything for a paparazzi shot.  JC and Whitney had spent all afternoon in his home-studio in the basement while he neurotically played through all of Lady A’s previous albums and asked her opinion as he played through random snippets of projects he had been working on. 

“You know their sound.  Does anything I have stick out to you?”  The tone of his voice hinted to the stress he was pushing on himself.

“I’d say that mid-tempo ballads are really where their voices peak,” she offered.

“That’s good; that gives me some focus.  What else?” 

“Well, if you’re going to take one of your songs and transition it to country music I think you’re best off stripping it down to an acoustic track and then building from there.” 

He smiled, “You know, you’re pretty good at this.  I’d hire you if you weren’t already working for me.”

**

The clock on the wall read 8:30.  The two had been in lock down in the studio for about eleven hours.  JC had still not committed to which song he was going to work with.  He had dug through his songwriting archives, but was coming up empty.  Whitney had tasked herself with searching through his older audio files to see if anything spurred some inspiration for him.  No such luck.  She slid away from his computer and moved to the sofa in the corner. 

“I know it’s getting late.  You can head out if you’re getting tired,” he offered.

“No, I just wanted to get more comfortable,” she settled in.  A leather notebook on the side table caught her eye.  She flipped it open and combed through dozens of pages of lyrics.  “What are these songs, JC?”

He looked over, “Oh, they’re just ideas I had in a sort of stream of thought.”

She started reading through and focused her attention on a song titled When You Got A Good Thing.  The chorus stood out to her as something she could see the band being receptive to. 

So baby, hold on tight

Don’t let go

Hold onto the love we’re making

‘Cause baby when the ground starts shakin’

You gotta know when you’ve got a good thing

“JC, what about this song When You Got A Good Thing?  The lyrics are definitely on point.  Do you have a melody?”  She handed him his notebook to look over.

He nodded, “Yeah, I had some little bit in my head.”  He started humming and tapping on the desk in tandem. 

She stood up, “Alright, well if you’re going to write a whole song in time for tomorrow you’re going to need nourishment.”

“I am getting a little hungry.  There should be some leftover Chinese in the fridge.”

“That sounds like a good bet,” she said and he stood up and followed her upstairs to the kitchen. 

**

The two had finished eating and Whitney slipped their plates into the dishwasher.  JC seemed semi-present as he was clearly letting his mind drift into songwriting mode.  He snapped out of it for a moment and clapped his hands. 

“I know what the song needs,” he said.

“What?”

He stood up and moved towards the hall, “Follow me upstairs.”

Whitney had never been upstairs in his home.  She had envisioned a neat and minimalist bedroom which probably provided him some sense of tranquility with a hyper-organized walk-in closet.  She moved after him with excitement at the thought of being able to put her imagination to rest.  She stopped behind him at the threshold of his bedroom and took it in.  Her vision was very close to the real thing.  He had a large neatly made bed and minimal decorations.  On the opposite end of the room was something she had not expected – a baby grand piano.  He made his way over to it and motioned for her to sit next to him on the bench.

“Nothing comes close to the sound that comes out of this.  It just feels more organic to me,” he said, dancing his fingers across the keys.  He started singing the lyrics softly as he moved his hands up and down the keys, deciding on the key range. 

“Everybody keeps telling me I’m such a lucky man

Looking at you standing there I know I am

Barefooted beauty with eyes that blue

Sunshine sure looks good on you, I swear”

It was now 10:15.  Whitney was feeling a wave of exhaustion, but decided that since she had set up JC’s meeting with Lady A she needed to help him prepare.  It didn’t seem right to leave until he had cracked the code to this song and she was enjoying listening to him sing it out as he continued writing. 

“You know,” he slid his fingers off of the piano keys.  “Nothing happened last night.”

She felt her pulse quicken as she turned to look at him, “What?”

“Nothing happened between Bianca and I,” he cleared his throat as he studied her eyes with his.  “Whitney, the thing is-“

Ring.  Ring.  Ring.  Her cell-phone glared at both of them as it rang and the screen flashed.  Charlie was calling. 

 

*Lyrics from Lady A's When You Got A Good Thing

Chapter 14: Slow Down Sister by Whit1210

“You should probably answer that,” JC said, nodding towards her phone.


Whitney hesitated.  “Are you sure?”


He nodded and turned his attention back to the piano.


She reached for her phone.  “I’m sure he just wants to confirm things for tomorrow.”  She stood and moved away from the piano bench, opting to situate herself across the room by the large bay window overlooking the backyard. 


“Hi Charles,” she said.


His voice was low, “When are you comin’ over tonight?”


Her eyes flicked to JC who was idly playing at the piano, but was within earshot.  “You can meet with JC tomorrow at his house?  That’s perfect.”


“Oh, are we playin’ this game?  Fiiiine.”


“Sure, I think around 3 would be just fine.”


“You know, if I don’t see you tonight I am gonna have a hard time keepin’ my hands to myself tomorrow,” he chuckled into the receiver.


“I’ll be sure to send over directions to his place.”


“Well, you have a nice night, darlin’.”


“Have a nice rest of your evening,” she hung up.  “Everything’s all set for tomorrow,” she said, settling beside JC once more.


He kept his eyes in front of him, toying with the keys.  “Kind of late for him to be calling, huh?”


“Oh, sometimes he runs on, um, Central Time – jet lag and all that.”


He continued to play, avoiding eye contact with her.  “Right, Central Time since he’s from Nashville.  That makes sense.  That’s two hours ahead of us, though.”


She swallowed nervously.  “I guess he’s a bit of a night owl.”


“I guess so,” he said flatly.


“So,” she cleared her throat, “What were you saying before?”


He shrugged.  “Oh, it was nothing important.”


She bit her bottom lip.  “Are you sure?”


He kept his focus on the music he’d written out.  “Hey, listen to this bit for me.”  She nodded as he started humming with his eyes closed. 


“Oh, I can’t believe I finally found you baby


Happy ever after, after all this time


Oh, there’s going to be some ups and downs


But with you to wrap my arms around


I’m fine.”


She smiled, “I love it.  Is this supposed to be Hillary’s verse?”


He nodded, “I was thinking she’d come in after Charles with this.  Do you think this has her sound?”


“The only thing I’d say is you want to make it country so you could change the ‘There’s going to be’ to ‘There’s gonna be.’ That would definitely sound more natural for her.”


He grinned, “I like it.  You’re going to have to help get me in touch with country music.  It’s a little out of the box for me.”


“Yeehaw,” she chuckled as she made a lasso motion. 


“How did a girl from the Northeast end up being into country music, anyhow?”


She smiled, “Actually, I hadn’t really listened to country until I started working for the band.  My work for the label was bi-coastal, but all the band members had primary residences in Nashville so I ended up spending a lot of time down there before touring. “


JC smiled, “So Nashville won you over?”


“Something like that,” she said, covering her mouth as she let out a small yawn.   She glanced at the clock and saw that it was now 11:38.  “Are you going to stay up all night writing this?”


He pursed his lips, “I won’t be able to sleep until it’s finished.  Even if I get sleepy the piano will be judging me across the room.  You can get going though, it’s late.”


“Alright, just promise me you’ll try to get some shuteye.”


**


Whitney had arrived for work and found JC in his studio mixing the demo he had recorded of himself.  It was clear that he had not slept at all since she had left him hours prior.  She had let him work by himself, opting to do her paperwork upstairs in the kitchen.  The only time she had checked on him was in the early afternoon to bring him a sandwich.  She was pretty sure if she did not feed him he would stay locked in the studio all day starving himself.  She busied herself with following up on renovations that were being done at his home in Florida. 


The roar of a motorcycle in the driveway pulled her from her work.  She felt a nervous pull in her stomach at the thought of Charles being around all day working with JC.  Obviously it had been her doing and she thought that producing a song for Lady A could be really beneficial for JC, but having Charlie around with him put added pressure on the situation.  She headed towards the front door and opened it to find Charlie taking his helmet off as he approached her. 


“Well darlin’, you look particularly pretty today,” he leaned up against the doorway. 


She smiled as she slid out of the doorway so that he could enter.  “Thank you.  JC’s in the studio.  I’ll show you where it is.”  He put his motorcycle helmet on the entry table as he passed by it.  He slid his arms around her waist from behind.  “Behave!” she chided him, shaking her head as she pushed his arms away. 


He put his arms up in defeat, “All business.”  He followed her down the back staircase to the recording studio. 


“Hi Charlie,” JC said, looking up from his desk. 


“Hey JC, I’m excited to hear what you’ve put together,” he said, clasping his hands together. 


“Sure, have a seat.  I’ve been working on this song When You Got A Good Thing.  I think it would make a great duet with you and Hilary.  The song is mid-tempo and Whitney has been kind enough to try and help me make it a little more country,” he smiled as he looked over at her.  She smiled back as she tucked her hair behind her ear. 


“Ah yes, well Whitney does know her country music,” Charles chuckled.


JC nodded and played the demo he had cut.  Whitney was surprised at how much he had accomplished, even with working straight through the night.  She looked over at Charlie, trying to read his expression.  He grinned widely as the song ended.  “I like it.  I like it a lot.  This has our group written all over it.”


“Alright, that’s great news,” JC beamed. 


“Let’s do this; send the track to Hillary and Dave so they can both weigh in and then we can figure out the best time to set up a studio session.  I’m sure that Dave will give you a few notes on guitar riffs.”


JC grinned, “That sounds like a plan.  Do you want to try a few takes?”


Charles nodded, “Sure thing.  Let me see those lyrics.”


“I’ll connect with Hillary and Dave while you two spend some time in here,” Whitney offered.  “I’ll talk to them and see what I can arrange.”  She headed up the stairs to make her phone calls in the kitchen. 


**


“Whitney, it is so good to hear the sound of your voice,” Hillary gushed.


“I miss you too, Hills.”


“So, Charlie had said you set up a collaboration with JC?  How’s it going?”


“Charlie came over today and met with him.  I think JC put together a really great song.  Charlie liked it and he definitely isn’t one to settle.  I told them I’d reach out to you and Dave and see what I could set up for the four of you in terms of meeting up.”


“Well, Chris and I are pretty booked down here through the month for sure.  What with being newlyweds and finally being off tour I made sure we plan out as much family and friends time as possible.  Is there anyway we could record down here?”


“Oh, maybe.  I’ll have to ask JC and see what we could work out.”


“Aw, Whit it would be amazing if y’all came down here!  We’d all love to see you and we could go out and show y’all a good time.  It’s been such a long time since you’ve been down to Nashville.”


Whitney smiled, “It would be fun.  I’ll see what JC says.”


“Okay call me back!  I am going to get the guest room ready for you with fingers crossed!”


“Talk to you soon,” Whitney hung up and headed back downstairs.  Charlie and JC were cracking jokes with each other and listening to a vocal playback.  “Hey, I talked to Hillary and she is pretty booked in Nashville through about the next month.  She was thinking that it might make more sense to record in Tennessee.  What do you think?”


“Whatever is easier for the group is definitely fine by me.  With the show wrapping next week I have a much more open schedule,” JC said. 


“I think it might make more sense to record out here in Los Angeles,” Charlie said, crossing his arms.


“The whole band is down there, though.  It would probably make the process easier for all of you to set aside some time in Nashville,” she put a finger to her chin.  “What do you say?”


Charlie cleared his throat, “Yeah, if it will be easier for everyone that will work.”


JC smiled, “Alright, Whitney why don’t you figure out when we could set aside some time to go to Nashville?”


“We?”


“Yes, of course I want you to come.  You’re my assistant and I’m sure you’d like to spend some time with your old friends.”


“That sounds perfect.  Let me call Dave and figure things out from there,” she said, giving a small wave as she slipped back out of the studio. 


Charlie turned to JC.  “I should probably make a few calls, too.  I’ll be right back.”  He followed after her towards the kitchen.  “Whitney,” he whispered.


“What?” she asked, putting a hand on her hip for emphasis.  He answered by slipping his arms around her waist and leaning in for a kiss. 


“I missed working with you,” he said, chuckling as he kissed her again. 


The sound of heels tapping across the floor soon pulled their attention.  “Oh,” Bianca said, with a grin on her face.  “I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

Chapter 15: All We'd Ever Need by Whit1210

Whitney quickly pulled away from Charlie feeling her cheeks burning with humiliation.  He cleared his throat as he excused himself and left the room.  Bianca took a few slow steps closer to Whitney and leaned her hands on the kitchen counter. 

“Well, well,” she said, with the same grin she had entered with.

Whitney cleared her throat.  “Bianca-“

“-Save it.”  She put up her hand, “It wasn’t what it looked like?  That was the line you were going to give me, right?  Please.  Actually, I am pretty impressed.  I didn’t think you had it in you.” 

 Whitney stood silently with her lips pressed together.  She wanted to say something, but knew she had no real defense.

Bianca pressed on, “I’m pretty sure if JC found out about this he’d be a little disgusted with you – since Charles is married and used to be your boss. Oh, don’t worry though.  I’ll let him think you’re still his innocent little assistant.  This will just be a secret between us – just as long as you stay out of my way.”  She moved past her and made her way to the studio.  Whitney felt her stomach lurch as she struggled to come up with a way to fix this situation.  She attempted to compose herself and slowly made her way back down to the studio, reluctantly joining the rest of the group.  

Charlie stood up from his seat.  “JC, it was great working with you today.  Whitney can keep me up on the details and I’ll plan on seeing y’all in Tennessee.”

JC stood up and shook his hand, “Thanks, man, I’m really excited about this, too.”

“I’ll see y’all later,” Charlie said as his eyes flicked to Bianca before heading up the stairs. 

“Any luck?” JC asked.

“Hmmm...?” Whitney raised an eyebrow at him. 

“Did you have any luck at setting up something with the rest of the band?  Did you get in touch with Dave?”  He looked at her curiously, studying how distracted she seemed. 

“Right, sorry.  I wasn’t able to get a hold of Dave, so I texted him.  He is usually pretty quick to respond.  In terms of scheduling, I would say we could probably set something up in about 10 days or so.  How does that sound?”

JC smiled, “That sounds great.  Moving forward on this as quickly as possible feels right.”

“What is this I hear about Tennessee?” Bianca asked.

 “Oh, we’re going to meet the band there to work on recording the song,” he said, as he kept his focus on the computer screen in front of him.

We?” she perked up.

“Well, Whitney and I,” he said, finally looking up at her.

Bianca’s eyes shot to Whitney with an icy stare.  “Well, that sounds like fun.  It’ll be like a vacation for you two.  You know, I could probably take a few days off and-“

JC shook his head, “It’s not a vacation at all, Bianca.  It’s a work trip – work only.”

Bianca sighed, “Okay, fine, forget it.”  She noted that he had his attention back to the computer, fiddling with different levels.  “So, are you going to change?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you going to change your clothes before we go to dinner?” Her tone was flat and her bottom lip jutted out. 

He finally refocused and turned in his chair.  “Oh, dinner.  Listen, Bianca, I am so sorry, but I have all of this work to do on this song and now that I am making some progress I really just want to chip away at it tonight.”

She crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes.  “So, let me get this straight.  I showed up here dressed like this,” she motioned to the tight mini dress she was in, “But you’d rather stay in and play with your computer?”

Whitney desperately wanted to disappear, especially at the potential onset of a Bianca tantrum.  She also knew that JC would give in and end up taking Bianca out to dinner.  Knowing Bianca knew her secret was driving her insane and it had only been a matter of minutes.  There was no telling when that time bomb would go off.  JC spending time with Bianca made her nervous, but Bianca being in a rotten mood scared her. 

JC sighed as he scratched the back of his head.  “I guess we can go to a quick dinner, but then I am coming right back to the house to work.” 

She smiled as she moved towards him, resting her hands on his shoulders.  “Just dinner is just fine.  Now, why don’t you change?  Maybe that navy blazer…”

He reluctantly stood up from his chair.  “Whitney, you can head out.  Thanks so much for everything today.”

She nodded, “Of course.  I’ll keep you updated once I take care of the travel plans.”

He smiled, “That’s great.  Have a good night.”

**

Charlie had been too spooked by Bianca earlier to come over and spend the evening with Whitney.  Even though she had wanted to spend time with him, she was enjoying a quiet evening at home alone.  The stress of the events of the day had worn on her and she just wanted to decompress and relax.  She had settled into the sofa in her pajamas and put a movie on.  She sipped on a cup of tea and pulled her throw blanket over her.  She had finally found the perfect position for her legs and was completely comfortable when she heard a knock at her door.  Charlie.  She put her mug down and sighed as she moved out of her perfect position and headed to the door.  She let out a small yawn before opening the door. 

Her eyes widened.  “JC?”

He smiled nervously and started to ramble.  “Hey, Whitney.  Sorry to just show up like this.  I hope this is okay.  Were you awake?  Right, it’s only 9:30 so I am pretty sure you were. But I should have called ahead of time anyway.  Maybe you are one of those people that go to bed early.  You seem like you could be disciplined like that.  I have trouble with my sleep cycle so I am always tired and…”

“Um, JC?  Slow down…” she smiled, motioning for him to come in.

“Thanks, sorry.  I hope that it’s okay that I am here.  I was at dinner, but all I could think about was finishing the song.  I was really hung up on the chorus and I think I finally cracked it and you were so helpful before I wanted to run it by you.  I won’t really be able to go to sleep tonight until it’s done.  Is that alright with you?  I can pay you over-time.  It seemed like a really good idea at the time to swing by here on my way home, but now that I am here and you’re in your pajamas I feel a little ridiculous.”  His cheeks had turned red as he took in the blanket and the mug of tea by her sofa and feared he had disturbed her.

She smiled, “Of course you can.  Do you want something to drink?  There’s hot water.”

“Some tea would be great.”

She slipped into the kitchen and pulled a mug down from the cabinet above the sink.  “Green tea okay with you?” she called out to him in the other room.

“That’s great.”  He stood in place in the living room as his eyes wandered the space, taking in everything.  He had never been to her place before and was overwhelmed with curiosity as his eyes trailed her bookshelves and her movie collection.  It was a warm and inviting apartment and he immediately felt comfortable.

She returned to the room and handed him a mug, making her way back to her spot on the sofa.  He thanked her and placed the mug on the side table and settled on the opposite end of the couch.  He pulled his small journal out and flipped it open.  “Alright, so I know that I want the chorus to end with When you’ve got a good thing, but I am having trouble getting there.”

She nodded, “Sure, what do you have for it so far?”

So baby, hold on tight

Don’t let go

Hmmmm hmmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm

Hmm hmmm hmm hmm hmmm hmm hmmmm

You’ve got to know

When you’ve got a good thing.”

She smiled, “I like it.  I’d say you might want to make you’ve got to into you gotta.”

“Right, that’s good.”  He took a sip of tea and smiled at the warmth. 

She continued, “Alright, so the part where you’re stuck should be describing what needs to be held on to.  It’s whatever the good thing is.  So, what do you think it is?”

He closed his eyes, trying to think of an answer while he hummed the melody quietly to himself.  “Hold onto the love we’re making.  That’s it, that’s perfect! 

So baby, hold on tight

Don’t let go

Hold onto the love we’re making

Now I just need to rhyme the next line to wrap it up.”

She started rattling off words that rhymed, “Aching, breaking, taking?”

He pondered, “This is a love worth taking.”  He made a face, “No…”

“How about wakingShaking?”

He grinned, “Yes, shakingWhen the ground starts shaking‘Cause baby when the ground starts shakin’.”

“Do you think that works?”

He nodded eagerly, “Yes, I think that’s locked down, now.  So the chorus will be

So baby, hold on tight

Don’t let go

Hold onto the love we’re making

‘Cause baby when the ground starts shakin’

You gotta know

When you’ve got a good thing.”

She smiled at his excitement, “I think that sounds amazing.”

He grinned, “I’m so glad that it’s coming together.  I promised myself that I’d finish the lyrics tonight so I can work on the melody tomorrow.”

“Well, I’m glad you kept to your timeline.”

“Thank you so much, Whitney.  You’re pretty good at this.”

She tucked her hair behind her ear as she brought her mug to her lips, “Glad to help.”

He closed his notebook.  “Alright, well thank you for letting me barge in on you like this.  I’ll leave you to the rest of your evening.”

“If you want, you’re welcome to stay.  I was just starting a movie and I’m sure you could use the relaxation after all that work without any sleep.”

“Are you sure?”

She nodded, “Of course.”

He smiled and settled back into the sofa.  “That’d be great.” 

**

About an hour into the movie, JC had passed out cold.  Whitney smiled to herself as she watched him fall into a deep sleep.  She was glad he was finally allowing himself to relax after overextending himself.  She waited until the movie had ended and then stood up and turned the television off.  She surveyed him one more time and slipped the throw blanket over him. 

“Goodnight JC,” she whispered as she headed to her room to go to bed. 

 

**

Chapter 16: Dancin' Away With My Heart by Whit1210

“A vacation?  A vacation?  You can’t be serious!”  Mark slammed his beer bottle down on the table as he let out a boisterous laugh and pointed his finger at JC.  “You don’t know how to go on a vacation!  When in the hell was the last vacation you ever took?” 

JC put his hand up in protest, “Now wait a minute.  Just a few months ago I took a break.”

“No, no.  Being in the hospital doesn’t count – that’s not an actual vacation.”

“A little help here?” JC turned to Jake.

“Yea…going to have to side with Mark on this one, buddy.  Being hospitalized definitely doesn’t equate taking a vacation, unless your idea of cutting loose is eating jell-o and watching I Love Lucy re-runs.  In which case, you are going to love living in a retirement community in a few decades.”

JC rolled his eyes, “Very funny.  To be fair, this trip to Nashville is going to be more like a working vacation.”

Mark sighed, “This is so typical for you, JC.  A working vacation.  Why can’t you have a little fun?  Separate the work part of your life from the rest.”

JC raised his eyebrow, “Hold up, I can be fun.  I’m going to Nashville to record the song, but while we’re there I promised to sightsee and take in the scene there.”

“We?” Jake gave him a knowing smile.

“Whitney and I.; don’t give me that look.  She is my assistant and she graciously set up this recording opportunity for me so she is accompanying me on this business trip.  And, yes, we are supposed to have some fun while we’re there, too.”

Mark rubbed his hands together, “Please tell me that fun is code for sharing your hotel room bed with her while you’re both buck-naked?”

“I am going to pretend you never said that.  Especially the phrase ‘buck-naked’ – who even says that?  But, for your information, I did spend last night at Whitney’s.”  JC crossed his arms looking please with himself.

Jake spat out his drink.  “No way!  You do not operate that fast.”

Mark nodded and pointed his finger again, “That is bullshit!  I am calling your bluff!”

“Whoa, nothing happened.  I fell asleep on her sofa,” JC said, sheepishly.

“How did you end up at her place?” Jake toyed with the stirrer in his drink.

“I was coming home from dinner with Bianca and I was stuck on the lyrics to the song and I just thought she could help me through it.  Whitney is pretty good at that sort of thing.  Her apartment was on the way so I just took a gamble.”  He took a sip of his beer while he awaited responses from his friends.

“Wait, you just showed up at her place?  That’s got a stalker-vibe,” Mark shook his head.  “Plus, she is supposed to be my fake girlfriend.  I feel strangely territorial about this, but if you want to trade…”

Jake howled with laughter, “Why would you ever want to fake-date Bianca?”

Mark scratched his chin, “I feel like there could be some really hot hate-sex there. “

Jake scoffed, “If deceitful bitches are your turn-on.”

Mark shrugged, “I’d be willing to take one for the team, at least for a bang or two.”

JC frowned, “Just stop talking, Mark.”

“So, what happened after you woke up at her place?” Jake pressed.

He smiled as he remembered the morning, “She made me some tea and we had some breakfast.  I told her to take the rest of the day off to make up for me bringing work home with her.”

**

Whitney opened the door to let Charlie into her apartment.  He closed the door behind him and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her up.  She wrapped her legs around his waist and giggled as he slowly moved them towards her kitchen counter.  He pushed her up onto the counter before sliding his hands around to the small of her back. 

“Quite the entrance,” she mused, cocking her head to the side.

He slipped her hair behind her neck.  “Just wanted to leave an impression before my flight in a few hours.”  He ran his lips on the side of her neck before moving back to her lips and giving her a soft kiss.  “How did you manage some extra daytime for me?”

“Oh, JC gave me the day off since I worked so late,” she smiled. 

“Worked late?”  He pulled away from her slightly to study her face.

“Well, I was helping him write the song and he was having some writer’s block last night so he stopped by and…” she hung on the last word as she watched his facial reaction.  Charlie’s mood moves from curiosity to amusement.

“Really?  Writer’s block?  This guy is so original,” he rolled his eyes.

“Nothing happened,” she offered.

He chuckled, “Obviously.  I know you’re not that kinda girl - especially with that guy.”

She raised an eyebrow, “What do you mean by that?  What kind of a guy is he?”

Charlie scratched the back of his head, “You know…he’s stiff.  Very, um, vanilla?”

She let out a sigh.

He chuckled again, “I don’t know why you’re gettin’ defensive ‘bout this.  I know you’re my girl, so his feelings don’t matter.  I just think it’s a little funny – poor guy doesn’t realize he’s already lost this competition.”  He gave her shoulder a squeeze as he kissed her harder, before she could respond to anything he’d said.  “So, when are you gettin’ down to Nashville?  I know the flight is on Monday.”

“Our flight will get in around 6 or so…closer to 8pm then Central Time.”

“So, where are you going to be staying?”

She rested her hands on her lap, “The Hutton Hotel over on the West End.”

He nodded, “I think I know which one that is.  You did book two rooms, right?”

She rolled her eyes, “Yes, I booked two rooms.  I couldn’t book two adjacent rooms, but he and I are just down the hall from each other.  I’m hoping to get at least one personal night so that I can spend it over at Hillary’s and get some girl time.”

He nodded, “She misses you.”

“I miss her, too.  I miss everyone.”

He smiled, “Everyone misses you, too.”

“It will be great to catch up with everyone,” she smiled.

“Alright, let’s get caught up here before I head off the airport,” he moved in for another kiss as she laughed and welcomed it.

**

Whitney heard noise in the driveway and looked out the window to see the town car pulling in.  “JC, the car is here,” she called up the stairs.

“I’ll be right there,” he called back.

His luggage was already neatly stacked by the front door.  She opened the door to greet the driver and he shook her hand as he started picking up the bags to load them into the trunk.  She headed over to her own car to pull her luggage out from the backseat.  She hadn’t planned on packing much, fitting most of her essentials into one medium-sized bag.  Hillary, however, had convinced her that with the crazy list of activities she was planning, multiple outfit-changes would be imperative.  Whitney had compromised and also brought a garment bag for a few dressier options.  She pulled the two bags out of her car and locked the car as she made her way to the town car.  JC had made his way downstairs, but was nervously wandering the first floor.  She handed her bags to the driver and stood in the entryway looking in.  “JC?  Is everything okay?”

He stood in the kitchen with his hand on the door of the opened refrigerator, staring blankly into the contents.  “Oh, yeah…I just get a little nervous flying.”

“Really?” she was surprised at this revelation, given how much travel he had done over the years.  She surveyed him and realized he was in the most casual outfit she had ever seen him in.  He wore simple grey sweatpants and a red v-neck t-shirt. 

As if reading her mind he looked up, “I like to be really comfortable when I fly.  I have a change of clothes in my carry-on though,” he smiled. 

“Good to be prepared,” she nodded.

He reluctantly chose two bottles of water, offering her one and the two made their way back to entryway of the house.  Whitney assured that she had the tickets and all the other necessities to get them through security.  JC motioned for her to slip into the car first and he followed behind her.  The driver closed the trunk and made his way to the front and the car made its way out of the driveway.

“To our adventure in Nashville,” JC smiled, moving his water bottle up and motioning it towards her.

“Cheers,” she grinned, mirroring his move and taking a sip.  “To a memorable visit.”

Chapter 17: Down South by Whit1210
Author's Notes:

I can’t believe it has been a decade since I updated this story!  “Better Place” has brought me out of my hiatus and inspired me to complete the stories I left unfinished and dive back into the fandom.

---

Whitney and JC wheeled their luggage into the hotel elevator as they headed up to their floor.  The ride from the airport had found them in heavy traffic and they were both exhausted from their day of travel.  As the elevator doors dinged open they both got off on the ninth floor.  


“Let’s see…,” she said, eyeing the room numbers as they made their way further down the hallway, “You are here at 915 and I am… 921, right down there.” She handed him his key card and thanked her as he slid it into the door.  She wheeled her bag the few doors down across the hall and was about to swipe her room key when he called down to her.


“Hey, Whitney?” 


She turned to look back at him, “Yeah, is everything okay?”


“Yes, I just wanted to see if you wanted to go get something for dinner?  I am starving and I’m not in the mood for room service after being in the confined space of a plane for so long.  Want to go out somewhere?” He itched the back of his head as he waited for her response. 


“Sure, that sounds great.  Is it okay if I change first? I’ll be quick.” 


“That’s great.  You can just knock when you’re ready.” He gave a little wave and moved back into his hotel room.


She entered her room and pulled her suitcase up onto the bed and zipped it open as fast as she could.  She thrashed around in it pulling out a decent outfit to change into and out of her sweats.  She felt butterflies in her stomach and shook her head to herself.  Calm down, it’s just dinner. Platonic dinner. She settled on jeans and a black lace top and then brought her makeup bag into the bathroom to try to clean herself up.  


Ding. Ding. A text from Charlie.  Where are you?  Are you here yet?  When can I see you? 


She pursed her lips for a moment and then decided not to respond, grabbing her purse and heading down the hall.  She knocked on JC’s door and he opened it very quickly.  


“Were you standing right there?” she laughed as he looked at her sheepishly.  


“I was just coming right out of the bathroom, I swear I wasn’t just waiting by the door,” his cheeks reddened slightly, but he kept a smile on his face. His eyes slowly moved over her up and down.  


“Alright, what are you in the mood for?” she asked.


“The mood for?” he repeated, sounding far away…


“For dinner?” she raised her eyebrow.


“Yes, right, dinner.  Honestly, I will eat anything right now.  I am bordering on hangry.”


She nodded, “Okay, let’s move.  Barbecue? Chinese? Italian? Fancy? Fast casual?”


He followed her down the hall and hit the elevator button.  “You’ve spent a lot more time in Nashville than I have, so I say lady’s choice.”


She nodded, “Okay, I’ve got just the place.”  The elevator dinged and opened and they made their way downstairs.


**


Whitney took JC to a rooftop restaurant that was a famous barbecue joint with live country music and line dancing.  


“Wow,” he said, eyes wandering around the space as their waiter dropped their drink order off and then slipped away.


“Trying to give you the full Nashville experience,” she smiled triumphantly.


“You’ve exceeded my expectations,” he grinned and looked down at the menu.  “Now, what to order?  Everything looks amazing.”


“You’ll eat anything right?” she asked.  “Nothing you don’t really like?”


He nodded, “I am really an equal opportunist when it comes to food.”


“Trust me?” she asked, arching an eyebrow at him.

“Um…sure,” he nodded tentatively.  She responded by taking his menu from him as the waiter approached their table.


“You folks ready to order?” he asked.


Whitney nodded, “Yes, we’ll do the smoker sampler with St. Louis ribs, jerked chicken and burnt ends.” JC’s eyes widened.


“And that comes with your choice of four sides along with our sauces, cornbread and pickles.  Which sides would you like?” the waiter readied his pen to write it all down.


She looked back at JC for reassurance and he nodded, giving her permission to continue to order for them.  “Let’s see…macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, black-eyed corn and…hmm…ooooh the banana pudding, yes.” She smiled and handed the menus over as the waiter left their table.


“Wow, I’m impressed,” JC said as he took a sip of his drink. 


“What can I say? I’m a professional,” she grinned, bring her straw to her lips.  


“Well, cheers to that and to you for all of this.  We’re on this trip recording this song because of you,” he said, clinking his glass to hers.


She pushed her hair over her shoulder and made deep eye contact with him, “It’s because of you, too.  Your songwriting brought you here, I helped a little, but you should give yourself more credit.” 


“Maybe,” he shrugged.


“No, really.  This is going to be great - your song is beautiful and a perfect fit for them.” 


“Thank you,” he met her eyes and they sat staring at each other for a moment before the ding ding alert noise on Whitney’s phone went off again.  She broke eye contact to look down at it.  


“Sorry about that,” she said as she looked down and three more ding alerts went off.  


Where are you?  When can I come over?  I need you now. - C


“Go ahead, you can answer it,” JC said, sitting further back in his chair.  


She looked up at him, “No, that’s alright.” 


“You sure?” he asked.  


“Yes, I’m absolutely sure,” she said, turning her phone on silent and shoving it deep into her purse.  


**


JC raised his hands up in surrender, “That was the best barbecue I have ever had…and I have spent a fair amount of time in the South.”    


Whitney grinned widely, “So expectations definitely exceeded?”


“Absolutely,” he nodded as he licked barbecue sauce off one of his fingers and wiped his hands with a napkin.  


“I’m just going to excuse myself to the ladies’ room,” she said, standing up from the table.  


“Hurry back,” he winked.  She smiled as she walked away.  He nodded his head confidently, patting himself on the back for that little quip.


His own phone dinged and he pulled it out of his pocket and noted the messages from his group text. 


How is the Nashville vacation going? - Jake


Not vacation, work trip! - Mark


Fine, fine, work trip? Jake


JC smiled to himself as he typed a response.  Long day of travel, but we made it and Whitney took me to a great bbq place tonight - just ate enough food to hibernate for a week. 


Whitney hmmmm….- Jake


(Eyes emoji)- Mark


Are you two alone at dinner? - Jake


(Eggplant emoji)- Mark


Yes, we went out just the two of us.  I asked her to join me. - JC


Proud of you, little engine that could - Jake


Are you two still hungry? (taco emoji) (peach emoji) (eggplant emoji) - Mark


WTF, Mark! - JC


Chill, Mark!  What are you going to do next? - Jake


Finishing dinner at this place.  There’s live music, but probably need to go back to the hotel soon to get ready for tomorrow. - JC


Live music! Is there dancing? - Jake


Well…line dancing? - JC


ASK HER TO DANCE! - Jake


What HE said! ^^ - Mark


I don’t know how to line dance! JC


Doesn’t matter, you’ve always been a good dancer and a quick study - DO IT! - Jake


(woman dancing emoji) (kiss emoji) (taco emoji) - Mark


JC put his phone back in his pocket and looked over at the dance floor.  Line dancing did look simple, not the sexiest moves, but everyone looked like they were having fun.  He could do this.  He would.  


Whitney returned to the table.  “Sorry, there was a little bit of a line.  Where were we?”


“Dance with me,” JC said confidently, as he stood up from the table motioning for her to follow him.


“What? Dance? Line dance?” she looked at him incredulously.


“What? Is the choreography too complicated for me?” he smiled widely. 


She laughed, “No, not at all.  It will probably be a cakewalk for you, I just didn’t think you’d want to.” 


“I’m full of surprises,” he smiled, reaching out for her hand. 


**

JC and Whitney headed towards the entrance of their hotel, laughing hysterically the whole way, tears in their eyes.


“That was…hilarious,” he slapped his knee.  


She continued to giggle, “I can’t believe that woman threw that cowboy hat on you.” 


“She was relentless and older than my mom!” he wheezed.


She continued to cackle laugh as they made it the doors and he opened it for her.  “So funny!”


“I haven’t laughed this hard in so long.  I haven’t even really had this much fun in a night since I can remember,” he sighed, still wiping the tears from his eyes.


“This may have been the first night off you’ve ever really had since I’ve known you,” she said.  She looked down in her purse to check for her room key and noticed her phone lighting up with 17 new messages.  Shit, Charlie.  


“Thank you, I needed this.  This was just perfect,” JC said, resting a hand on her shoulder as they headed side by side to the lobby elevator.  


As JC hit the elevator button she turned and slowly took in the lobby decor and the grand staircase and the bar and a fireplace and Charlie.  Shit.  Charlie at the hotel bar staring straight at her and motioning for her.  She panicked as the elevator dinged open and he headed in, “Hey, JC, sorry, I have to get something before I go up, go on ahead and I’ll see you in the morning.”


“Oh, are you sure?  I can come with you,” he offered. 


“No, no, that’s okay.  Quick errand, don’t worry about it.” 


“Okay, thanks for tonight Whitney.  I’ll see you in the morning,” he said with a slightly disappointed tone as the doors closed. 


His text alert went off again in the elevator.


Did you dance? - Jake


JC responded by texting some photos he had taken on his phone of the dancing and the crazy older ladies that brought him a cowboy hat and a selfie of him and Whitney on the dancefloor.


Touchdown? - Mark


We don’t all move at your speed, Mark!  (eyeroll emoji) BUT did you kiss her goodnight?!? - Jake


No, she had to run an errand. It was a really fun night though. - JC


KISS HER TOMORROW - Mark


Or just take another small step forward, you think you can, you think you can (train emoji) - Jake


JC smiled to himself as the elevator door opened and he headed down the hallway.  He could take another small step tomorrow, he could.


**

JC had decided he would work out in the morning before they needed to head to the studio. He would usually sleep as late as he could, but the idea of being in the studio today was giving him excited nervous energy and he wanted to burn some of it off and calm himself down.  He headed out of his room towards the elevator and turned as he heard someone else opening their door.  He blinked twice to make sure he wasn’t seeing things.  Charles appeared to have just left Whitney’s room.  Figures.  JC picked up his pace towards the elevator trying to avoid this interaction.  He pushed the button hard and pulled at his sweatshirt hood strings nervously.  He groaned inwardly as the elevator took forever.  He felt Charles alongside him as the elevator continued to take forever.  They stood in silence until the doors finally opened and they both slid inside.  Charles hit the lobby button and JC hit the fitness center button on the 2nd floor.  


JC coughed awkwardly, avoiding eye contact with Charles.


“I…,” Charles clearly felt caught. “I stopped by this morning to bring Whitney coffee, you know, kick off the big studio day.”  JC stared at him, but didn’t say anything.  Charles continued, “We’re all so excited to record today, excited to collaborate with you, JC.” 

 

The elevator stopped on the 2nd floor as JC moved to get out.  He turned back towards Charles, “Whitney doesn’t drink coffee.”  He turned back around and left Charles looking guilty as the elevator doors closed.  

Chapter 18: Sounded Good At The Time by Whit1210
Author's Notes:

Thanks everyone for reading and reacting - it feels so good to be back in this community again! 

***

JC rests the back of his head against the shower wall sighing heavily, frozen in place as the water continues to beat against his chest, forming red blotches across his skin.  He had intentionally turned the temperature up too high and now the bathroom is starting to resemble a steam room.  Part of him just wants to stay inside this bathroom and hide out from the rest of the day.  His mind just keeps replaying his run-in with Charles in the morning and rethinking every moment he has had with Whitney, seeing it all with clearer vision now and feeling like a fool.  


Whitney and Charles were clearly an item.  A couple? He wasn’t sure what the official status of their relationship was, but spending nights together and texting all day…they were definitely seeing each other.  He felt jealousy and confusion over it, but it really was none of his business.  Whitney absolutely did not need to share that with him - that was her private life and their relationship was strictly professional.  He was her boss and he would start acting more like it.  To think he had almost confessed he had romantic feelings for her.  What a mess of things that would have made!  


And now he had to face this day and put a smile on his face and crush this studio session.  When he had asked Whitney to help him present a song to Lady A, he thought he was asking her to connect with her former colleagues and friends.  Now, he realized he had asked her to essentially beg her boyfriend for a favor.  It was embarrassing.  Now he was filled with self-doubt and questioning the song altogether.  Was the song really good or were the band members going along with this purely as a favor to Whitney?  He couldn’t be sure.  He would spend this entire trip to Nashville laser- focused on absolute perfectionism so that this song really was a success and that there would be no doubt over his songwriting or producing abilities.  


He inhaled deeply as he turned the shower water off.


***


Whitney knocked on JC’s hotel room door, but he didn’t answer.  Odd.  They were supposed to be heading out soon to head to the studio and had agreed on this time.  She tried one more time, no response.  She panicked he might still be asleep and called his phone.  No response.  She debated heading downstairs or waiting at his door when she received a text from him.  


In the lobby. 


Phew.  She made her way downstairs and spotted JC at a cafe table with the remnants of his breakfast.  She gave him a little wave and he nodded in response as she made her way to his table.  


“Ready for today?” she asked, giving him a large smile. 


He itched at his shirt collar, “I think so.”  


“It’s going to be great.”


He stood up from the table and grabbed his messenger bag, slinging it over his shoulder.  “How far is the studio from here?”


Whitney pulled out her phone, “I believe it’s about a twenty minute ride, but let me just see what traffic is like right now…right, according to this, it will take us about twenty-five. The car should be arriving any minute.” 


JC nodded as they headed outside and waited for the car to pull up.  


“Did you sleep well?” she asked.  


He dragged his right hand through his hair, “Honestly, no, I was too nervous.” 


“Oh, well that’s understandable, I think everyone experiences nervous excitement the night before starting these sorts of things.”


“Mmhmm,” he said.  “And you?”


“Me, what?”

 

He looked at her pointedly, “Did you sleep well?”

 

“Oh, right, yes, yes I did.  Probably the familiarity with Nashville, feels like a homecoming.” 


He nodded, “Comfortable.” 


The car pulled up and the two of them slid into the backseat.  Whitney confirmed the studio location with the driver and then turned back to JC, but he had already slid in his earbuds and spent the rest of the drive with his music on, his eyes glued to the scenery out the window.  


***


Whitney and JC were the first to arrive at the studio so JC started getting familiar with the soundboard and inspected the microphone setup.  Whitney responded to some email correspondence and went through her own task list for the day.  


“Hey, JC?” she asked, poking her head into the booth.


“Mmmhmmm,” he mumbled, not looking up.  


“I know this is the last thing on your mind right now, but what do you want for lunch?” She readied her phone in her hand.


He shook his head, “Right, I don’t have the slightest preference. You’ll just probably have to force me to eat once I’m in the zone.”


She nodded, “Ohh, I know.  No preference at all?”


He waved his hand dismissively, “Nah, I trust you, you know what I like.  Order anything.” 


Whitney started to think about options when the alarm on her phone went off.  JC looked up, refocusing his eyes on her.  She reached into her purse and pulled out his pills and a bottle of water.  “Time for your medication.”


He held his hand out and took the pills, swallowing them and washing them down with some of the water.  “Thanks,” he nodded to her.  “I am sure I’d forget about that without you prompting me.”


“That’s what I’m here for,” she smiled. 


There was suddenly noise coming from down the hall and the studio door flew open as Hillary and Dave barreled in.  “Whittttttt,” Hillary cooed, grabbing her into a big hug.  “I have missed you so so much!”  


“I’ve missed you, too,” Whitney smiled.  


 “It’s so great seeing you,” Dave said, resting a hand on her shoulder.  She side-hugged him in response.  


“Hillary, Dave, this is JC,” Whitney said, motioning towards him.  He made his way closer to them and reached out to shake their hands.  


“It’s a pleasure to meet you both,” he said.  “Thanks so much for agreeing to this.”


“You, too, we love the song,” Dave said.  


Hillary chuckled, “I mean, I don’t know if Whitney gave me up, but I am a huuuuge *NSYNC fan.  Huuuuge!  The pleasure is all mine.”


JC blushed slightly as he smiled, “Thank you, that’s very flattering.”


“No, really.  You’re so talented.  This is a fangirl dream come true,” Hillary giggled.


“That means a lot,” he smiled.  Alright, maybe they really did love his song and he was here because of his talent and not just as a favor.  


“I mean, maybe this song needs…Justin?  Maybe you could work him into this - we can cut Charles’ part and Justin can duet with me instead,” Hillary giggled again.


JC turned to Whitney, teasingly, “I can’t tell if she's kidding or not.”


Whitney laughed, “Oh, she’s dead serious.” 


The door opened again and Charles walked in, tentatively approaching the group.  “JC,” he nodded at him.


Whitney could feel everyone’s eyes on her and Charlie as he turned to her.  “Whitney, good to see you again.”  She felt unsure of how to respond with such a captive audience at attention.  JC eyed them both curiously. 


“You, too, Charlie,” she smiled.  


“Oh, Charles,” Hillary giggled again.


“Yes, Hils?” 


“You’re dismissed for the day, we’re gonna have Justin Timberlake handle your parts instead.  You know, just take the day off, get some rest.”


He rolled his eyes, “Good one.” 


***


The group had been working on the song for several hours at this point and the song was really coming together.  JC was very intensely focused, but he was connecting well with the group and everyone seemed equally invested.  


Whitney slipped out to pick up a lunch order for everyone and checked her emails on the way.  Brad had sent her a message.

Whitney, a new tour manager position has opened up that you’d be perfect for.  Gig starts in about a month and the artist is a very popular singer songwriter.  Let’s set up a time to discuss.


A new job opportunity made her nervous.  On the one hand, she loved being a tour manager and being on the road - it was exciting work.  On the other hand, she really enjoyed JC and working with him.  Granted running lunches and coordinating basic errands were not the most stimulating tasks, but connecting him with Lady A and helping him grow his songwriting and producer work was intensely gratifying.  She wasn’t sure if she was ready to leave it all behind yet. 


***


Whitney reentered the studio and started setting up the lunch spread for everyone.  As she did, she heard the vocals and was blown away by the way the song was sounding.  


“Can we take it from the top again?” JC asked. 


Charlie’s deep voice came through…


Everybody keeps telling me I’m such a lucky man

Lookin’ at you standin’ there, I know I am

Barefooted beauty with eyes that blue

Sunshine sure looks good on you

I swear 


Hillary’s soprano sang out the next part…


Oh, I can’t believe I finally found you baby

Happy ever after, after all this time

Oh, there’s gonna be some ups and downs

But with you to wrap my arms around

I’m fine 

 

Charlie's voice came back through, dueting with Hillary into the chorus, as Whitney's arms broke out into goosebumps.  

 

So baby, hold on tight

Don’t let go

Hold onto the love we’re making 

‘Cause baby when the ground starts shakin’

You gotta know

When you’ve got a good thing 


“And, cut,” JC said, “That sounded fantastic.”


“Foooood,” Dave said, watching the lunch Whitney had laid out through the glass.


“Sure, why don’t you all take a break,” JC said, as the group made their way out of the booth and beelined for lunch. 


“I’m just going to make a call,” Whitney said, excusing herself from the room.  


She headed down the hallway, but soon heard steps behind her.  


“Psst,” Charlie whispered, coming up behind her.  He rested his hands on her shoulders as she turned around.  


She smiled up at him, “What did I say about keeping things professional at the workplace?”


He rolled his eyes, “Okay, okay, but technically we are in the hallway, which is not the workplace.  The studio is the workplace.”


“Nice try!” She shook her head at him.


“Well, as soon as we’re off tonight, I wanna spend some quality time together, just you and me again.” 


She smirked, “I mean, we’ll see.  After all, my boss in there is really going to crack the whip and work you all real hard.  We could be here all night.”


He sighed, “Don’t tease me.”


***


“Do you ever disconnect?” Hillary asked JC, who was playing with the mixers on the soundboard.  


“Hmmm?” he looked up. 

 

“I love the commitment to your work, I totally relate, but you gotta give yourself a few minutes to reset and eat a sandwich and just disconnect from this,” she said, motioning to the food on the table.  “I promise, disconnecting for a little bit will actually help you reconnect even better when you get back into the groove here shortly.”


“Okay, alright,” he smiled, standing up from the soundboard and moving over to the table with her.  


“Where did Charlie and Whitney head off to?” Dave asked, eyeing Hillary.  JC snatched a bag of chips as Hillary pursed her lips, about to respond as Charlie returned to the studio.


“What did I miss?” Charlie asked, sitting down and unwrapping a sandwich.  


“Nothing at all…” Dave said, taking another bite of his sandwich.


JC took a moment to look at his phone, which he had put on silent during the recording session.  He noticed a new text message from Bianca. 


How’s the recording session going? 


He thought about it for a moment, eating some more chips as he watched Whitney reenter the room and sit next to Charlie, laughing as he whispered something to her.  


JC typed out a response: It’s going really well, lots of work, but I am proud of it so far.


That’s wonderful - hurry home to LA, though.  Miss you! 


He smiled to himself.  Bianca was a lot and came on strong, but he appreciated the attention.  In Nashville until the end of the week.


You miss me a little bit, too - admit it! 


He chuckled, typing and deleting and retyping trying to decide what to say in response.  Yes, just a little.

 

Don’t worry, I can remedy that! 

 

 

Chapter 19: Talk of This Town by Whit1210

“Dave, are you okay to stay a bit longer to work on the piano chords?” JC asks and Dave nods from inside the studio.  “Great, then Charles and Hillary, you can wrap for today and we’ll see you back tomorrow to finish the song.” 


“Great first day,” Hillary smiles as she hangs up her headphones.  


Charles claps his hands appreciatively.  He makes deliberate eye contact with Whitney before looking back towards JC, “How much later do you plan on staying?”


JC scratches his temple, “Maybe an hour or so.”   He pauses for a moment and shifts his own eyes over to Whitney.  “Whitney, why don’t you head out?  I’m all set here and you’ve earned some time off.”


Whitney frowns, “Are you sure?  What if you need something?”


He chuckles, “I am capable of taking care of myself for a few hours.”


She smiles, “If you’re sure.”


“Sure,” he smiles as Dave comes in from the recording booth to sit down with JC at the mixing board.  


Hillary loops her arm into Whitney’s and pulls her with her as they head out the door, “See y’all tomorrow.”


“Yes, have a great night,” Whitney smiles.


Charles waves and slowly trails behind them outside to the sidewalk.  


“It was SUCH a good day!” Hillary grins, pulling her arms back to give Whitney a big hug.  “Have a great night and get ready because tomorrow night you are staying over at my place - we are going full on girly sleepover!  I might even have to pull out my old *NSYNC DVDs for the occasion!” 


Whitney laughs, “Can’t wait!” 


A car pulls up and Hillary slips inside waving, leaving Whitney and Charles on the sidewalk alone.  He clears his throat, “And then there were two.”


She raises her eyebrow at him.  “Now that we’ve earned an early dismissal, what’s next?”


He grins, “I have an idea...”


She rolls her eyes playfully, “How about dinner first?”  


“Room service?” he pleads.


She shakes her head, “Charlie, I want to go out with you.  We haven’t gotten to go out on a proper date in Nashville before.” 


He frowns and checks his watch before nodding, “Alright, proper date it is.”  He extends his hand and takes hers as they make their way down the sidewalk.  



Dave’s fingers dance across the piano keys as JC nods with his eyes closed, listening intently to the take.  The outro finishes and JC opens his eyes and pushes the intercom button.  “That’s spot on Dave, just fantastic.”  


Dave smiles and nods as he slides back on the piano bench.  “All set?”


JC nods, “Yes, let’s call it a night.” 


Dave stretches his hands and stands up, leaving the recording booth.  He puts his hand on JC’s shoulder, “It’s sounding great.”


“Thank you, it’s been a pleasure to work with all of you so far.”


“A pleasure for all of us too, truly.”  


JC pushes back on the wheels of the chair before letting out a yawn.  


“What are your plans for the rest of the night?” Dave asks.  


JC sighs, “Actually, I don’t really have any.”


“Do you want to get a beer?” he asks and JC nods as they pack up.  They head down the street to a bar and order a round.


Charles helps Whitney put her coat on as they leave the tapas restaurant where they have just had dinner.  As they step outside, she feels the contrast between the chill in the air and her warm cheeks, reddened from the pitcher of sangria they shared.  Charles wraps an arm around Whitney’s shoulders and they make their way down the sidewalk.  


“I like this,” she sighs, leaning into him.  


He chuckles as he pulls her in closer and leans down to kiss her forehead.  “Should we head back to the hotel?”


“What about dessert?” she asks, grinning.


“That’s what the hotel is for,” he raises his eyebrows.


She playfully punches his arm, “Come on Charlie, you know I love actual dessert.”


“‘Specially when you’ve been drinkin’,” he laughs.


“Hey, ice cream is my pre-hangover food, works every time.” 


He sighs, “Can’t we just order room service?  It’s getting late and I just want some alone time with you.” 


“Patience, Charlie, patience.  Patience and mint chocolate chip…” she trails, tugging him down the block.  


For a night that has turned a little bit chillier, the ice cream parlor at the end of the street has a small crowd outside.  The air smells of fresh ice cream cones being made as they arrive at the entrance and join the line just inside the doorway.  Charles stands behind Whitney and rests his hands on her shoulders, the space too small for them to be side by side.  “What are you going to get?” he whispers into her ear.  


“Everything,” she muses with widened eyes, looking at the display case with what appears to be over thirty options.  


He chuckles, “You really are buzzed.” 


She puts her arm to her chest in mock defense, “For the record, the sangria was your idea.”


“Hey, I didn’t say it was a bad thing.”


“What are you going to get?” she asks him, as they move up in the line.

“I can just try some of yours,” he gently rubs her arms.


She looks up at him and laughs, “Absolutely not.  My cone is all for me. Hangover cure only works if I eat all of it myself.”


He sighs and looks around, “Fine, I’ll get a small something.” 


“Well, if you also get something that we can share…” she smiles.


“You’re drivin’ me crazy,” he laughs.


“And you love it,” she grins.


They finally make their way up to the counter and Whitney orders 2 scoops of mint chocolate chip on a sugar cone and then orders a cup with 1 scoop of blackberry and 1 scoop of dark chocolate and 2 spoons.  Charles rolls his eyes playfully and treats her, swiping his card.  He grabs a large handful of napkins as they make their way from the counter and head back towards the door.


“Enough napkins there?” she asks.


He nods, “My role here is really to hold this cup and your spoon in between you taking breaks from your ice cream cone, I’m really just your napkin dispensary at this point.”


She laughs, “There are two spoons for a reason. Yes, I wanted to try all of those flavors, but I also want you to have your fair share.” 


He bends down and steals a bite of her ice cream cone and she makes mock offense noises and pouts.  “Gotcha,” he laughs and licks his lips before kissing her and she can’t help but laugh along.


Whitney hears someone behind them say, “Hey, isn’t that Charles from Lady A?” and all of a sudden there is a rush of murmuring.  She glances back and sees that most of the crowd outside the ice cream shop are staring at the two of them, some with cell phones poised.  The energy shifts and Charles frowns, checking his watch again.  “We should go,” he says and the two of them head down the street quickly.  



JC and Dave have talked about music for hours now like they are old friends, not two people who just met for the first time today.  Dave’s roots in country music are inherently different from JC’s pop background, but there are more similarities than differences.  While Charles has always struck JC as being a little too self-assured, Dave is down-to-earth and earnest.  JC even found himself telling Dave about his hospitalization, something he rarely speaks about with anyone.  Dave was incredibly understanding, being the type to also overwork himself and to lock himself in the studio for hours upon hours trying to perfect a song.  He also struggles with the work life balance that comes with this industry and understands the constant balancing act.  


JC clears his throat as he toys with his beer bottle on the table.  “Dave, can I ask you something?”


Dave nods, “Shoot.” 


“How long have Whitney and Charles been seeing each other?” As soon as the words escape him, JC regrets asking.  He knows he should let it go, but he just can’t.  He wants the whole story.


Dave looks conflicted as he takes a beat before answering him.  “They aren’t.”


JC cocks his head, “Oh, they’re not a couple?”


Dave sighs.  “The second that something happened between them, Whitney resigned from working with us.  She did not want to complicate the situation, which we completely respected.  But it was a huge loss for us all.” 


“So they’re not seeing each other?”


Dave shakes his head, “No, that was a one time thing.” 


“Ohh…and that’s how she went from being the tour manager for one of the biggest country music groups in the world to…being my assistant,” JC is finally connecting the dots.


Dave nods, “I think she wanted to move pretty quickly on the job switch.”


JC takes another sip of his beer, “Damn, what a downgrade.” 


Dave shrugs, “I wouldn’t say that.  There’s a lot of lifestyle differences between being on the road on tour versus being in a steadier situation.  Something to be said for stability.”


“I guess,” JC shrugs.


“Well, look at it this way.  Whitney’s working with a songwriter producer and connected him with artists for a crossover song, that’s pretty interesting work.”


“She helped me with some of the lyrics, too,” JC offers.


Dave smiles, “As far as I know, she’s never been involved in songwriting before.  Doesn’t surprise me, though.  She’s talented, it was only a matter of time before working with songwriters would somehow rub off on her.” 


JC smiles at that. 



Charles stands up from the bed and pulls his jeans on.  


“Do you have to leave?” Whitney asks, still laying down and covering herself up with a sheet.


“Afraid so,” he says, checking the time again.


“Can’t spend tonight here again?”


He checks his watch again, “Afraid not, darlin’.  Busy day tomorrow finishing the studio session, I need to get a change of clothes and a good night’s sleep.”


She sighs, “Since when are you the responsible one?”


He laughs, buttoning up his shirt.  “What a role reversal!  I promise to be reckless and spontaneous again tomorrow night.” 


She shakes her head, “I promised Hillary I’d spend the night over at her place tomorrow for some girl time.”


He sighs, “The whole night?”  Whitney nods as he groans.  “So, what does that leave us with?  How much longer are you here for?”


Whitney sits up.  “It’s Wednesday night and we’re here ‘til Saturday morning.  Tomorrow is another full studio session, then I’m staying with Hillary and then Friday we have several meetings here before flying back Saturday.” 


“How free is Friday?” he asks.


She frowns, “Not sure, lots of meetings during the day, but I’m not sure what the evening looks like.”


He nods, “Okay, well let’s make time for each other on Friday before you fly back.” 


She smiles as he comes back to the bed to kiss her before gathering the rest of his things to head out.



JC has made his way back to the hotel and is ready to get into bed and get some sleep.  He passes through the entryway and is about to make his way to the elevators when he hears a female voice calling out to him.  He turns and his eyes widen in surprise at the sight before him.  “Bianca?”


“Surprise!” she squeals, throwing her arms around him.  She leans into him and kisses him hard, which throws his balance slightly off and he staggers backward.  


“What are you doing here?” he asks, a shocked expression still written all over his face.


She takes a moment to look around the crowded hotel lobby and grins.  She loves an audience.  “I missed my boyfriend!  You’ve been working so hard, I wanted to surprise you and show you a good time.” 


“Well, I was going to call it a night, big day tomorrow,” he says.  


“But, it’s still early…and I’m on California time, the sun hasn’t even set back home,” she pulls on his arm.


He sighs, “I really need to rest up for tomorrow.” 


“One drink, c’mon, just one drink…” she pulls his arm and he relents, letting her lead him to the hotel bar.  She makes sure to choose a spot at the bar where they will be seen.  The more eyes on them, the better.  He sits on a stool beside her and she leans into him, resting her hand around his bicep.  A bartender approaches them. 


“You folks know what you’d like?”


JC purses his lips, “A beer…maybe a Stella?”


Bianca shakes her head, “No, no - this is a special occasion.”


“Oh, are you celebrating?” the bartender asks.


Bianca nods, “Yes, my boyfriend has just finished writing a hit song, it’s cause for celebration.” 


JC corrects her, “Well, it isn’t finished yet-”


Bianca waves her finger at him, “Now, now, just celebrate it.  Let’s have two dirty martinis.”  The bartender nods and moves to start making them.


“I’ve already had a few beers tonight, Bianca, I don’t think I can stomach a martini…” JC frowns.


“Nonsense, live a little” she squeezes his bicep harder.  


The martinis arrive and Bianca spends most of the conversation buttering JC up.  Complimenting him on how talented he is and what an accomplishment this producing trip is for him.  She sounds genuine and it almost sounds like the kind of conversation real romantic partners would have with each other.  Anyone eavesdropping would believe that they really were in a serious relationship.  JC starts to feel really buzzed as he finishes off the martini and is surprised when another fresh one appears before him.  He doesn’t even remember Bianca ordering another round.  


He looks down at her, “How long are you staying in Nashville?”


She plucks the toothpick out of her glass that the olive is on and slowly sucks on it, looking up at him coyly.  “However long you want me here.”  He gulps as she slides her other hand onto his thigh.  “And I do hope you want me.”


In the back of his mind, he knows that this isn’t real, that this whole relationship is a work of fiction.  Well, no, it’s not all fiction.  Bianca has always had a crush on him, he knows that.  He just doesn’t know how much of this is really an act on her part.  Bianca is beautiful, there’s no question about that.  He never pursued her because she can be…difficult.  But, when they are alone like this, just the two of them, she is sweet with him.  He knows it’s the buzz of the alcohol and the way she is pumping his ego and the sexual frustration he’s had lately that is warping his view on this situation at this moment, but he can’t help it - he wants it.  He wants Bianca and he knows she wants him and he knows he should just excuse himself and go to bed, but for one night he just wants to give in.  


“Your eyes are so dark right now,” she whispers.


“Where are you staying tonight?” he asks huskily and her eyes widen in surprise.  She is always the pursuer in their situation and this is the first time he has shown a true interest.  


She bats her eyelashes, “Here.  I have a suite…care for a nightcap?”


JC motions for the check and feels her wrap her arms around his shoulders and she stands up off her stool, while he’s still seated.  She kisses him again, this time harder and he leans into it and slides his tongue into her mouth.  She lets out a small moan and he grins.  He can’t be sure if she’s for real or if it’s for the onlookers, but he wants to feel wanted and he’s going to pretend along if he has to.  He signs the check and stands, holding her hand and leading her to the elevators.  The elevator opens and it’s empty as the two of them slide in.  


“Is this for show?” he asks.  He can’t help himself.  


She looks up at him as she swipes her roomkey to select the top floor.  “I want you, show or no show.”  


He exhales and grabs her by the hips, pulling her towards him.  She stands between his legs as he leans against the wall of the elevator.  He slides his hands around to her backside, gripping her by the ass and pulling her closer.  She giggles as she leans into him again, kissing him roughly.  She bites down on his bottom lip.  The elevator doors open and she pulls him with her.  “Time for your own private show.” 



Whitney is ready to go in the morning and knocks on JC’s door.  No sign of him.  Maybe he went downstairs early like the day before and had his breakfast already.  She texts him to check.  No response.  She tries calling again and hears nothing.  On a whim, she calls his hotel room phone and hears it ringing inside, but no movement.  He would definitely have woken up to that noise if he was still in there.  She heads down to the lobby and there’s no sign of him anywhere and the car has arrived.  Is it possible he headed to the studio on his own?  She’s not sure what to do and texts Charles.  


Whitney: Are you at the studio yet?


Charles: No, on my way now.  


Whitney: Can’t find JC and wondering if he headed there ahead of me.


Charles: I’ll text you when I get there - about 5 minutes out.  Would be a dick move for him to not tell you that, though.      


He’s right…it would be weird for JC to head to the studio on his own and not even tell her.  Her whole job is to coordinate these things for him and he must know she’s panicked and unsure of his whereabouts.  She heads outside to tell the driver what is going on and to politely ask him to wait a few minutes while she figures out her next move.  She does one more lap around the hotel first floor and texts him one more time, letting him know the car is here.


Charles: Dave and I are here, but not JC yet.  I will let you know when he shows up.


She is a combination of panicked and irritated, unsure of whether she should be worried or pissed off.  What if something happened to him?  What if he forgot to take his medication?  Her mind swirls through all of the different worst case scenarios when her phone rings and she sees JC light up on her caller ID.  Phew.


“JC, I was just starting to worry,” she says, relief in her tone.


“Whitney,” a familiar female voice speaks into the receiver, “we’re sleeping in.  JC had a long night and needs the rest.  Can you bring us some green juices?”


“Bianca?  JC is supposed to be at the studio - we’re already going to be late.” 


Bianca sighs.  Whitney can hear her eye roll through the phone.  “Listen, he’ll get there, he’ll just be a little late.  He’s in charge anyway, what does it matter.” 


Whitney bites her lip.  She’d like to say a lot of things right now, but pissing off Bianca isn’t going to solve this problem any faster.  


“Where are you?” 


“We’re in my suite, I’ll text you the room number.  Green juice and croissants and…how about some avocado toast?  Bring it up in about an hour.” 


“Is he awake?  Does he know what time it is?” Whitney is trying not to freak out.


Bianca sighs again, “Bring it up in an hour.”  She hangs up and Whitney is left speechless.


She texts Charles and tells him that JC is running late, there’s a situation, and for Hillary and Charles to practice the second half of the song lyrics in the meantime.  


Hurricane Bianca has blown in to ruin everything.  Shit, shit, shit! 

 

Chapter 20: It Ain't Pretty by Whit1210
Author's Notes:

Back with another update...let me know if you're enjoying the story so far! 

 

Whitney grits her teeth as she waits at the counter of a nearby cafe.  She has placed an order for all of Bianca’s requests and is hoping to get all of this done as quickly as possible.  She still has not heard a peep from JC directly.  Bianca’s unannounced presence had been a jarring revelation and Whitney is on edge.  Her phone pings.


Charles:  Is there an ETA? 


Whitney:  Working on it. 


Charles:  k.


Whitney:  I’ll update you as soon as I can.


The recording session was supposed to have started 43 minutes ago.  If there was a reasonable explanation, she is sure she could share it with the group and they would understand.  Bianca showing up on the scene and JC partying with her too late isn’t going to cut it.  She’s not even sure she wants to make any excuses for him.  She thought he was better than that.  Better than Bianca.  And definitely better than blowing off a recording session and leaving everyone hanging.  


The order is ready and Whitney grabs the bag of food and the drink tray and walks as quickly as she can back up the street to the hotel.  She makes it to the lobby and realizes Bianca still has not texted her the room number.  She texts JC’s phone with no response.  She bites her bottom lip as she checks the time.  Screw this!  She approaches the front desk and explains that this is for Bianca and asks if they can keep it back there until Bianca calls for it.  Then she heads outside and hails a cab.  She texts JC’s phone again saying the food is at the desk and she is heading to the studio. 



Whitney rushes into the studio to find the trio practicing harmonies.  


“Finally,” Hillary claps her hands.


“Everything alright?” Charles asks, putting a hand on Whitney’s shoulder.


“Where is JC?” Dave asks, realizing he isn’t coming behind her.


Whitney sighs, “Honestly, I do not know all the details, I just know that he is running late.  As for how late, I couldn’t say.” 


Dave shakes his head, “We only have today left in our schedules for recording.  If this doesn’t get done today, I don’t think we have time for this for…” he looks down at his phone to check his calendar.  “Maybe next month?”


Hillary nods, “Things are pretty tight.” 


Whitney scratches her head, “Okay, well what do you think we could get done in the meantime?”


Dave approaches the mixer board, “If you can handle some of the controls here, the three of us can work on recording some of the group vocals.”


Whitney nods, “Definitely, show me.”  She joins Dave at the board and he walks her through some of the basic controls while Charles and Hillary warm up their vocals in the booth.  


“Okay, let’s test that…” Dave points and Whitney turns mics on and adjusts some of the levels.  


“Can you hear me?” she asks Charles and Hillary.  They give her a thumbs up.


Dave stands up, “Alright, I’ll go in and when I cue, you’re going to click this on and run the track and we’ll go for it.”  He heads into the booth and gets into position, sliding his headphones on.  “Ready?”


Whitney nods, “Ready.”  Dave cues her and she follows his previous instructions.  The track begins to play and the trio start to sing.  



JC rolls over and groans.  A hangover would be an understatement for how he is feeling right now.  Everything hurts and he has a pounding headache.  He stretches out his legs and reaches for Bianca, who is sitting up in bed scrolling through her phone.  


“Morning,” he mumbles as he leans up and kisses her.  


She runs a hand through his hair.  “Good morning sleepyhead.” 


He sighs, “What time is it?”


She pauses.  “It’s still early.” 


“Wait, what time is it?” he asks again more urgently.


“Oh, it’s 10…ish…” she says.


He sits up quickly, “10!  The session was supposed to start at 9!  Fuckkk!  How did my alarm not go off?”  He jumps out of bed and runs around the room, quickly throwing his clothes from last night back on.  


Bianca sighs, “What’s the hurry?  You’re in charge, aren’t you?  Come back to bed.” 


JC frowns, “No, it’s unprofessional.  We need every minute we can in the studio and the last thing I would ever want is to be late and hold other people up.” 


She nods, “Fine.  How long will you be?”


“Probably all day, I need to finish recording everything and finishing the final cut today.  Could take me all night.”  He grabs his phone off the nightstand and sees that it’s 10:20am.  “Shit, 10:20?”  His eyes quickly scan the room one more time making sure he has everything.  


“I said 10ish…” she shrugs.  She stands up from the bed, still completely nude from the night before.  His eyes dilate as she stands in front of him, tugging on his shirt.  “Are you sure you can’t stay for just a few minutes?”


He gulps.  “No, no…I have to go.  I am already so far behind.” 


“Alright, well I will be waiting to celebrate with you tonight when you’re done.”  She gives him a little wave as he heads out of the room.  


JC rushes down the hallway to the elevator and tries calling Whitney.  She doesn’t pick up so he looks through messages and sees that she was waiting and looking for him all morning.  He shakes his head at himself and tries her phone again.  



“How did that take sound?” Hillary asks.


Whitney leans into the intercom, “Well, I’m not sure how much my opinion should count, but I think it sounds amazing.” 


“Your opinion absolutely counts!” Dave smiles at her.


“Lookin’ like a real producer in that seat,” Charles grins.


JC staggers into the studio.  He looks completely disheveled and is in the same clothes he wore yesterday.  He has bags under his eyes, his face is pale and there are beads of sweat on his brow.  It would be obvious to anyone that he is extremely hungover.  


Whitney looks up at him, “Are you alright?”


He is about to respond, but takes in that she’s at the sound board and that the trio are in the studio.  “What are you doing?”


The intercom button between the studio and the booth is still on so Charles chimes in.  “She stepped in for you and helped us record vocals in your absence.” 


“Dave showed me how to operate this with the basics,” she offers.


“Oh, I…” JC doesn’t seem sure of how to react.  He is slightly irritated they worked on the song without him, but also feels guilty he is so late.  Sensing this, Whitney stands up from the chair and offers him the seat at the board.  He sits down and starts playing with the levels.  “Okay, let me play back what you have so far.” 


“Aren’t you forgetting something?” Hillary asks. 


JC frowns, “Umm?”


“Thank the lady for all of her help!” Hillary folds her arms.  


“Oh…” JC looks taken aback.  He turns to Whitney, “Th-thank you.”


“That’s more like it,” Hillary nods.


Whitney slips out of the room and returns with a bottled water and a tea and places them both on the side table by JC.  He nods appreciatively. 



Hours later, the sun has set outside and inside the song is almost complete.  JC has been working nonstop to make up for the hours he missed earlier in the day.  At lunch, he refused to eat and just kept reworking and tinkering and editing the track with his headphones on while the rest of the group took a break and ate.  


“I think…it might be done…” JC offers.  


“Let’s hear it!” Dave says.


JC plays the track back and they all listen intently. 


Everybody keeps telling me I’m such a lucky man

Lookin’ at you standin’ there, I know I am

Barefooted beauty with eyes that blue

Sunshine sure looks good on you

I swear 


Oh, I can’t believe I finally found you baby

Happy ever after, after all this time

Oh, there’s gonna be some ups and downs

But with you to wrap my arms around

I’m fine 

 

So baby, hold on tight

Don't let go

 

Hold onto the love we’re making 

‘Cause baby when the ground starts shakin’

You gotta know

When you’ve got a good thing 

 

Charles' raspy voice starts out the second verse.

 

You know you keep on bringin' out the best of me

And I need you now even more than the air I breathe 

 

Whitney smiles.  Even when he is driving her crazy, his voice always moves her.  Hillary comes in on the next verse.

 

You can make me laugh when I wanna cry

This will last forever I just know, I know 

 

Then they duet for the remainder of the song.

 

So baby, hold on tight

Don't let go

Hold onto the love we're making

'Cause baby when the ground starts shakin'

You gotta know when you gottaa good thing 

We got a good thing, baby, whoa

So hold on tight

Baby, don't let go

Hold on to the love we're making 

'Cause baby when the ground starts shakin'

You gotta know, oh you gotta know

Oh you gotta know, you gotta know

When you got a good thing 

We got a good thing baby 

 

 

There is a moment of silence after the song ends and everyone pauses, eyeing each other.


“It’s AMAZING!” Hillary claps her hands.


“I felt chills during that second verse,” Dave says.


Charles claps his hands, “This should be our next single!”


Whitney smiles at all of them.  They genuinely love the song and she does, too.  She was a little nervous to connect JC with them at first, but the song is a hit.  She turns to see how JC reacts.  


He nods with reserve, “It’s good, isn’t it?”


She nods back, “Better than good.” 


“I wish we had champagne, we could celebrate,” Hillary puts a finger to her chin, trying to come up with an alternative.


Whitney leaves the room and returns with a bottle of prosecco.  


“Where did you find that so fast?” Dave asks.


“I picked it up with lunch - figured when the song was done, you’d all want to cheers,” Whitney opens the bottle and starts pouring some into the red plastic solo cups on hand.


“She’s always so prepared,” Charles laughs, giving her a wink.


The group all stand together in a huddle and raise their cups.  “To When You Got A Good Thing and collaboration,” JC offers.


“Cheers!” they all yell as they take a sip.  


They all start to pack things up.  It is 7:12PM.  Hillary calls Chris to remind him that Whitney is coming over and to let him know they will be heading out shortly.  


“Whitney, can I talk to you for a minute?” JC asks.


Whitney is about to respond when Hillary cuts her off.  “Oh no, she’s technically off the clock now.  She’s all mine!” 


Whitney is about to hush Hillary, but JC nods, “You’re right.  This can wait for tomorrow.” 


“Are you sure?” Whitney asks.  


JC nods.  “Yes, it’s fine.”


“Okay, and tomorrow the first meeting is at 11AM.  I will meet you in the hotel lobby, if that still works.”


He nods, “Yes and this time I promise to be on time.” 


Dave gives Whitney a goodbye hug and pats JC on the back.  Charles shakes hands with JC and then leans in to hug Whitney and whispers in her ear, “Let’s find time tomorrow.”


“Ready to go?” Hillary asks.  


“Yes, let’s do it,” Whitney smiles, grabbing her overnight bag and the two head out.



“This is so cozy,” Whitney smiles, looking around Hillary’s living room.  They are both in their pajamas already and Chris has made hot cocoa.  


“Thanks for making the cocoa, sweetie,” Hillary grins at Chris.


“Happy to help.  Now if you don’t need anything else, I’m going to retreat to my man cave and let you have your girl time,” he smiles and grabs a beer out of the fridge.


Hillary gives him a quick peck on the cheek, “Yes, we’re all set.  Have fun watching the game.”


“Don’t get into too much trouble,” he laughs at them both before heading to the basement.


“Alright, here are our options for this evening.  I dug deep into my old DVD collection for these,” Hillary laughs as she pulls out a stack.  “We’ve got You’ve Got Mail.


“Ooh, a classic!” Whitney claps.


Hillary laughs, “Yes, very rewatchable.  We’ve got that, When Harry Met Sally or…”


“Or…?” Whitney asks.


Hillary giggles as she pulls out the DVD from the bottom of the pile.  “*NSYNC Live from Madison Square Garden.” 


Whitney laughs uncontrollably, “Oh my god, Hills - you had this lying around?  It’s so old, who even has a DVD player anymore.” 


“I do! Just in case the internet is out, I still want to be able to watch movies.  Can we watch it?  Pleeeease?”


“Okay, okay, fine.  I am sure I saw this…back when it was airing live.”


“You know I have crushed on Justin forever,” Hillary smiles.  I have rewatched this DVD quite a few times, but it’s been a while.” 


“I’m surprised you haven’t run into him at an event or something yet.”


“We did do a photo op once, but it was really quick, didn’t get much of a chance to talk to him and build a connection,” Hillary sighs.  “But someday.”  She puts the DVD in and hits play and then settles back on the couch next to Whitney.  


The show starts and *NSYNC starts performing No Strings Attached.  “You know, I’ve always been a Justin girl, but it’s kind of crazy you’re working for JC.  Look at him, he had moves!”


Whitney laughs, “He can sing, too.” 


Hillary nods, “Definitely has a hell of a voice.  What’s he like?  I mean, he struck me as kind of uptight before this morning’s total disaster of a performance.” 


Whitney thinks for a moment, “Well, I think he’s sort of a serious person, kind of quiet, actually.  But he’s also warm and kind.”


“What happened this morning?”


Whitney sighed, “His…sort of girlfriend? She showed up and I think she might have actually turned off his alarm.  She’s unhinged.” 


Hillary’s eyes widen, “What? That’s insane, she wanted him to be late?”


Whitney sighs, “No, I don’t think she wants to sabotage him, she’s just out of touch with reality.  She doesn’t understand concepts like being respectful of other people’s time.  She’s really self-absorbed and kind of awful.”


“What is he doing with a girl like that?” Hillary frowns.


“It’s mostly for publicity,” Whitney sighs.  


“Wait, seriously?”  Hillary looks at the screen as I Want You Back is being sung.  “What does that man need a fake press relationship for?” 


Whitney watches the screen, JC dancing and singing lead, and has the same question.  “It’s complicated, his manager set this up.” 


“So, they’re not really dating?  So she came on this trip just for press?”


Whitney purses her lips, “Well, I’m not totally sure.  I didn’t know she was coming, that was a surprise to me, at least.  She definitely really likes him and they spent the night together so I’m not sure…”


“Well, he shouldn’t be messing around with a girl like that,” Hillary shakes her head.  “He should be with a girl…like you.”


Whitney turns her head to look at her, “What?”


“Oh come on, you like each other, at least a little bit.  I could tell yesterday.” Hillary takes a sip of cocoa.


“But, Charlie…” Whitney trails off.


“Charlie, what?” Hillary’s eyes widen.


“Oh, he didn’t say anything to you?  I wasn’t sure if he told you and Dave yet.”


“Told us WHAT?” Hillary is leaning in now.


“That we’re together,” Whitney says, trying to read Hillary’s expression.


Hillary looks puzzled.  “Together?” 


“Yes, he came to me and told me he and Cassie were separating and he wanted to be with me and we’ve been taking it slow, but it’s going really well,” Whitney smiles.


Hillary looks taken aback.  “Separation?”


“Charles didn’t tell you and Dave about that part?” Whitney is surprised by that.


Hillary takes a beat.  “Whitney, Charles hasn’t always been the most forthcoming with us about his personal life and that’s his business, so I could be in the dark.  But, I think you should just make sure you’re having honest conversations with him about everything so you’re on the same page.”


Whitney nods, “Right.  We are.”  She is surprised that he hasn’t mentioned anything about it to Hillary.  


Hillary turns back, “Wow, I have to say I really lived for Justin’s curly hair days with the bandanas.  What a look!”


Whitney laughs as she sees JC running around the stage again, smiling as he sings for the crowd.       

 

End Notes:

Lyrics from "When You Got A Good Thing" by Lady A

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1819