Daydreaming from Englewood Avenue by Keediluv
Summary: If you had the chance to make your daydreams come to life, would you take it?  This is the story of what happens when you mix dreams with reality.
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Group, JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: Pop!Tober Fiction Writing Challenge
Challenges: Pop!Tober Fiction Writing Challenge
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 3518 Read: 5589 Published: Oct 01, 2010 Updated: Oct 01, 2010

1. The Backstory by Keediluv

2. 1. You Know You Wanna by Keediluv

3. 2. The Start of Something New by Keediluv

The Backstory by Keediluv


  
Once upon a time, there was a beautiful young lady sitting alone in her bedroom, gazing at the stars.  For the sake of storytelling, let's call her Essence.  Yeah, that's a nice name right?

 



Anyway, Essence was the prettiest thing on the block.  Long, beautiful, thick hair the color of crimson.  Sun kissed, honey dewed skin.  Medium sized brown eyes with flecks of golden throughout and finer than frog's hair.  Every dude wanted and tried to get her.  But she wasn't interested in the slightest.  None of those clowns compared to her dream man.  The man who would come and rescue her from the foolishness that was her everyday life.  She had to hold on to the belief that one day her prince would come.  

 



Now don't get me wrong, Essence had a pretty good life, considering those around her.  She had loving parents who worked their asses off to provide for her and her brothers and sisters.  But, with all of their hard work, sometimes it still wasn't enough to take care of home, forcing young Essence into the workforce at the tender age of thirteen.  Being the second oldest in a family of seven, she had no choice but to suck it up and get to work.  Her older brother had gone off to the Navy, leaving her to carry the weight.  She went to classes in the mornings, watched her younger siblings in the afternoon while her parents finished their respective shifts and went to work at night.  Sometimes she wouldn't get to bed until 3am, sleep for three hours, then up again at 6am to get the little kids ready for school the next day.  Where were her parents you ask?  Well, they were already gone by the time everyone else's day started.  So, whenever the rare opportunity presented itself, she would sit in her bedroom window (in a room she shared with two of her little sisters) and stare out into the distance.  Hoping, wishing and daydreaming about the day that the handsome prince would ride up on his trusty steed and rescue her from it all the way they did in all those fairy tales.

 



Essence lived for the thrill of a good story.  In a neighborhood filled with gang violence, petty crime, drug dealers and crack addicts, everyone needed an escape from reality.  While others found solace through gambling, a drug, or a video game, Essence found hers in books.  She'd always been caught up in the allure of a good read.  But her favorites were the fairy tales of her youth.  Even when the villain would try and ruin everything, she knew that there would be a happily ever after.  

 



Little did she know, her happily ever after would be coming sooner than she ever imagined. 

 



The question is, is she ready for her dreams and her reality to collide? 

1. You Know You Wanna by Keediluv
      







It's about 3pm on the East Coast and our fair maiden Essence is chillin on the block with her best friend Shonte' who's currently trying to get her to go to this party with her later on tonight.  Let's watch.

 




"Essence, girl I'm telling you this party's gonna be bananas.  There will be wall to wall dudes up in there.  Nichelle said that her mama's gonna be at work with your people all night so sneaking out shouldn't be an issue.  Just tell Janae' we'll give her twenty dollars to keep her mouth closed.  Come on, you know you wanna go."

 


"Shonte' if my parents find out, they'll be more than upset and my daddy can't afford to have his blood pressure all up fucking around with me.  I promised that I'd hold them down while they at work and that's what I'mma do.  I'm sorry, I can't."



Shonte' rolled her eyes at her friend.  Sometimes, Essence could be a real party pooper.



"Bitch, wasn't your daddy just telling you to get outta the house sometime?  Janae' is old enough to watch the younger kids by herself.  Besides, the party don't start until 10pm and you put them to bed at 8:30.  Plenty of time for you to get ready and get outta the house.  Come on girl, I don't wanna go by myself."  Shonte' finished with a whine.



"Alright trick damn!  Stop whining, I'll go."



"Ooh, thank you girl!"  Shonte' said hugging her friend.  "Now show me that wind up dance you was doing earlier."

 

 
Essence laughed and hopped up off of the step and turned on the music they were listening to.  Just as they were really getting into it, rotating their hips back and forth, they hear a low whistling noises coming from behind them.  Rolling their eyes, they turn around to see a group of four guys standing there staring.  Typical, Essence thought to herself.  Every time a girl starts to move her ass around, some dude has to come fuck up the moment.  Recognizing one of the peeping toms, Essence waves at him and goes about doing what she was doing.  But Shonte' doesn't let shit go as easily as Essence does.  She never did and it doesn't appear that she will now either.  

 



"Trace, why in the fuck are you just standing there?  You can move around us you know?  We ain't blocking the whole sidewalk, damn."



"Shonte' why are you always throwin me shade?  I just came down here to introduce ya'll to my boys.  Justin, Chris and Josh, this is my future baby momma (if she ever act right) Shonte' and that's her equally fine ass friend Essence."
Essence turns around to look at the guys Trace's trying to introduce them to.

 

Immediately she is greeted by a pair of eyes so blue,  it startles her.  The gentleman who the eyes happen to belong to also has a killer smile, long nose and slim build.  She's taken by this stranger and it appears to be mutual.



Josh steps into her direct line of view and just stares.  Stares at her so intently that she can't stand the thought of breathing for fear that she'll interrupt his moment.  No one has ever looked at her that way.  It's like he's looking beyond her eyes and into her soul.  He shakes himself out of it momentarily, then grabs her hand, kissing it gently.  The electricity moving through them is enough to start a fire.  Smiling wide, Josh struggles to find her voice but eventually does.



"It's very nice to meet you Essence.  Very nice."

 


Returning his smile, she simply shakes her head in agreement.  Behind them, she hears Shonte' grumble and roll her eyes at Trace's advances.  He's been trying to get with her since he moved into their neighborhood two years ago.



"Trace, if you don't back the fuck up off me, I'm gon embarrass your ass in front of ya people. Don't think I won't either."  She pushes him off of her and into his friends who are just laughing at his expense.

 

"I don't know why you insist on acting all funny girl.  You had a good time when we went on that double date with Nichelle and Pete.  You ain't gotta put on a front for Essence, she knows you all in love with me and shit.  Don't deny it.  You know damn well you want me as much as I want you."



"Essence, would you tell this fool I was just trying to do his lil ass a favor.  I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole.  Essence..."  Shonte' turns around to and notices that Essence and Josh have walked off in their own little world.



"Is it strange to think that I've fallen for you this fast?  I mean, I never believed in love at first sight or anything but I'm starting to feel a that way.  Is that crazy?  I mean shit like this happens in my story books but never, ever in real life.  This is nuts!"  Essence says laughing at herself.  She had to gain some sort of control over herself.  She was starting to say things that didn't make any sense.



"I don't think it's crazy at all.  In fact, I think it's fate.  I wasn't even planning on coming with Justin to visit Trace today but decided to go last minute.  And just when he's going on and on about your friend and wanting us to meet her, you happen to be with her at the exact same time we're walking down the street.  It was meant to happen.  We were meant to meet each other.  For what, I don't know but I'm glad it happened.  I'm so glad it happened."  He looks into her eyes and he knows for sure it was fate. 



Josh takes her hand and stands in front of her before breaking into song...



Girl you're turning me on,
You're such a fine lady,
And sugar, more and more,
You're driving me crazy (crazy)
`Cause you're just what I want,
And I'm just what you need,
Oh it's on
I'm gonna make you my baby;
Sweet darlin' all I can see, Is you and me, 'cause...

I just wanna be with you,
Girl that's all I want to do
I just wanna be with you,
Girl that's all I want to do

 

 


She looked on at him skeptically, wondering why in the hell he just broke into song?  Though his voice wasn't bad.  As a matter of fact, it was probably one of the best voices she'd heard in a long time.  And familiar... 

 

 


"Hey, are you in a group or something?  I swear I've heard your voice before....but before he got a chance to answer, they were interrupted again.

 

 


"Come on C man, we gotta go.  You'll see her at the party later.  Let's go."  Chris calls out to him.  He grabs her hand, kissing it one more time then reluctantly let go.  She grabbed said hand and held it against her heart, pleading with it to calm down.  He walks away begrudgingly then turns and pulls Shonte' away from trying to kill Trace.  Essence knew deep down that her friend was secretly in love with Trace but would never admit it, not even to herself.

 



"Girl, that skeevy motherfucker's gonna stop playing with me.  For the last time, I don't want his shrimpy ass!"


"Heffa, you know damn well you in love with that boy."




"Bitch, don't even go there.  What the fuck I look like walking around with a dude shorter than me.  And what's with you and his homeboy?  Walking off like you know him and shit.  That's how chicks get snatched up.  How the hell I'm supposed to explain that to your people?  Keep you ass still around strangers.  I don't wanna have to fuck ol' boy up." 



"Will you get off the defense counselor damn!  I was just talking to him.  He did have me feeling a certain kinda way though.  He looked at me on some extra shit too.  Like he felt the same way I did.  I don't know Shon, he got me going."



"Well bring it back home ho, that ain't nothing but your horny ass needing some dick.  Tell you what, if we see them at the party tonight, I'll make sure you get some time with him on the dance floor.  Even if it means I gotta play bodyguard to you all night.  You know you have to beat dudes off with a stick.  I have that problem too but your milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.  Hell, even some of the girls."  Shonte said laughing.  



Laughing along with her, Essence shoves her friend lightly and begins walking back up the three or four steps to her front door.  Shonte' wouldn't have to do anything for her tonight.  If she got the chance to, she'd give Josh all the attention in the world.  Hell, attention, time, space, sex...whatever it took.  She just knew she had to be with him again.  And she'd stop at nothing to do it.





Meanwhile, back at Trace's apartment...

 




"Justin, did you see the ass on that girl?  She had a serious donk on her."  Chris said while playing Madden 11 with Joey.  



"Yeah, I saw it.  If Jace hadn't moved up first, I sure would have tried to get her number.  Josh, do you even know what to do with all that?"



"For one Justin, you're talking about a lady, not an inanimate object.  Secondly, I can handle myself just fine.  I think she might be the one guys?"



"The one for what?"  Justin asked incredulously.



"The girl of my dreams.  Mark my words gentleman, that's going to be my future wife."



"JC, I think you inhaled a little bit too much weed earlier.  What girl in her right mind would marry a dude they just met.  Let alone a guy who's in a boy band?"  Trace asked, lighting up another blunt.



"We are a vocal group!"  The all yelled simultaneously.



"My bad, a vocal group.  You must be out of your mind.  As long as I've lived here, I ain't ever seen that girl fuck with no dudes.  You might as well let that shit go dude.  It will not happen.  Sorry buddy."  Trace said laying a heavy hand on Josh's shoulder while lighting said blunt.  



The thought of Essence not being in his life infuriated him.  He knew she felt the same way he did.  She had to.  And he wouldn't stop until she did.



Across the room, Justin looked at his friend and shook his head.  He couldn't handle a girl from the hood.  Josh had grown up in a middle class area until he moved down to the sunny beaches of Florida.  But Justin, Justin would know how to handle her.  And handle her he would. He had to save his friend, he reasoned. She would break his heart and he just couldn't let that happen.  

 

 

He would prevent it by any means necessary. 
2. The Start of Something New by Keediluv











It seems that things are starting to turn around for our young Essence.  For the first time in her life, there's a guy, a seemingly decent guy in her life that looked beyond her outer appearance to see her for who she is inside.  And that thought was exhilarating.  But, as she'll soon learn, things aren't always as simple as they seem.....





"Essence, let's go!  We're going to be late and you know how Nichelle is about crowd control.  If it gets too packed, we'll never get in.  Hurry up!"  Shonte' yelled into her phone from outside of Essence's parents townhouse.  Shonte' was casually dressed in her dark denim Apple Bottoms, Rocawear flyaway cardigan shawl with matching white wife beater and black studded Rocawear shoes.  Her hair was straight with a slight curl to it.  Her makeup was understated and accentuated her best feature...her lips.  Shonte' was a naturally beautiful woman with flawless mahogany skin and a killer smile.  But her lips stood out.  She had full, plump, gorgeous lips and she kept them glossed at all times.  The girl's stunning.



"Alright, I'll be down in a second."  Essence answered hanging up her phone.  She took one last look in the mirror, going over ever detail to make sure she looked perfect.  Satisfied with what she managed to put together, she grabbed her jacket and headed out the door.  All of her siblings were already in bed and her little sister promised to keep her mouth closed as long as she could borrow her big sister's favorite shoes.  Essence worked overtime for two months in order to pay for her black Christian Louboutin Alta Bouton Ankle Boots.  It was kind of hard for her to spend money  on shoes but once she had them in her possession, she knew it was well worth it.  Walking out the door, she's flooded by whisles, hoots and hollers all made by her best friend.



"Well damn girl, you could have told me you were going all out.  I would have dressed up a little more."  



"I'm sorry boo but I felt like getting gussied up tonight.  You know how long it's been since I've been to a party?  I'm figured, why not?"

 

Essence wore a simple black ruched dress with a cropped black leather jacket and her new boots.  Her hair that she had just dyed chestnut brown was curled in soft tendrils all over, softly framing her round face.  She too looked stunning.



"You just had to go and make my job harder tonight didn't you?  Are you wondering if that guy Trace introduced us too is going to be there?  Trace already called and told me they made it to the party and they're waiting on us.  He says he doesn't know what you told his boy but you got his nose wide open.  Like all the other suckers around here, I told him.  So no worries, he'll be there."



Essence just laughed and shook her head.  She really couldn't explain what it was with Josh that had her so excited but she felt the same way about him.  He had her thinking of a life with him...and they had just met mere hours ago.  It couldn't be that she was in love right?  I mean who in their right mind falls in love that quickly. Love at first sight my ass.

 

The two ladies walked into the house and the party was at full swing.  Immediately, Essence and Shonte' were pulled apart by Trace and Justin respectively.

 

"Hi, I know we didn't really get a chance to talk earlier but I'm Justin.  It's nice to meet you.  You've been all JC could talk about."



"JC?  I don't know a...Oh!  You mean Josh?  Yeah, he's a sweet guy.  Where is he by the way.  I want to let him know I'm here."



"Oh, he's over there talking to Chris.  You remember Chris from earlier right?"



"Yeah, I remember seeing him briefly.  If you don't mind, I really want to get over there.  Excuse me."  Essence said walking over in Josh's direction.  He was having a really animated conversation and the smile on his face warmed her heart.  She could already tell that he was passionate about his work and his life.  She just hoped that if this (whatever it was between them) continued, he'd be just as passionate about them.



Seeing her walk in his direction, he excused himself away from the guys and met her, enveloping her in his arms.  She responded by wrapping her arms around his shoulders and lightly kissing his cheek.  He blushed and released the hold he had on her.



"Thank goodness you made it.  I was starting to worry."



"I made that kind of impression on you already?  That's a good thing right?"



"I would hope so.  Would you like to go out on the deck with me a minute.  It's really loud in here and I'd like to get to know you a little better."  She simply nodded her head in response and took his hand, leading him through the house to the back porch.  Nichelle's house was huge and being an only child allowed her to change rooms on a whim.  Her room now being the last in the house, where there's also a back door.  They got outside and took a seat on the top step.  Josh took Essence's hands into his own and looked into her eyes again.

 

The sheer intensity that passed between the two was something  magical.  They both felt it, but didn't know how to handle it so, they left it alone...for now.



Josh squeezed her hands in his and took a deep breath.

 

"I want to know everything there is to know about you.  When's your birthday?



"November 25th, yours?"



"August 8th.  Favorite color?"



"Green, yours?"



"Orange.  Your favorite song?"



"Too many to name.  I love R&B the most though."



"That's good, I love soft rock myself.  How many siblings?"



"I'm the second oldest of seven.  You?"



"I'm adopted but I have two natural brothers and a younger brother and sister. What's your last name?"



"Winters.  I already know yours.  Trace told me earlier."

 

"Would you like to have my last name?"

 

"What?"



"Marry me."

 

"Josh, are you serious?"

 

"Essence, I've never been more sure of anything in my whole life.  I honestly feel like I love you.  And I know it's crazy and spontaneous but who knows when or if we'll ever find something like this again.  I know you feel it too.  Marry me, be my wife."

 

In a voice barely above a whisper she answers....

 

 

 

"Ok."

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1895