Halo & Wings by jersey_tenn
Summary:

A southern love story


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: Pop!Tober Fiction Writing Challenge
Challenges: Pop!Tober Fiction Writing Challenge
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 6341 Read: 9506 Published: Oct 02, 2010 Updated: Oct 04, 2010

1. Chapter 1 by jersey_tenn

2. Chapter 2 by jersey_tenn

3. Chapter 3 by jersey_tenn

4. Chapter 4 by jersey_tenn

Chapter 1 by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
eek...a new month, a new challenge, eek! Review! Review! Review! October 2nd Entry!

“Dammit to hell,” JC’s head fell against the steering wheel, hearing the engine fail to start up. His skepticism of the rental car was catching up to him now. Climbing out of the sedan, he popped the hood. It would be pointless since he was pretty much useless when it came to cars. He knew the basics, but he was no goddamn mechanic. He was a singer for fuck’s sake. 

Looking down at the conglomeration of never-ending tubing and unidentifiable car parts, he knew that he was royally screwed. Looking around the parking lot, he saw several cars parked around him but not one soul walked the lot. Reaching back into the car, he found the rental place’s phone number. Quickly dialing it, he cursed as he heard the ‘sorry, but we’re close’ message. 

“Fuck!” he exclaimed, pointlessly kicking the vehicle’s tire. 

“Having some trouble there?” startled him, and his head whipped around the opened hood to see who’d spoken. 

“Hey there, uh, yeah, my car won’t start,” he admitted, scratching the back of his head. He felt a bit ashamed admitting it, since cars are a man’s thing. But, he was not too proud to admit he needed help, especially since he had no one else to call. The pretty woman that had sauntered up to his car smiled, and nodded in understanding. 

“Mind if I take a look at it?” she asked, pointing to the car’s exposed engine. She’d watched from afar his dilemma, and she’d tried to keep her laughter hidden. Putting down the grocery tote bag that’d been on her shoulder, she stepped forward to the engine. 

“Are you good with cars?” JC asked, shamefully skeptical that a woman could help him. 

“I do alright on my own, I guess,” she replied, her head bent into the engine and her hand buried in one of the crevices.

“You want to try to start it so I can hear it?” Climbing back into the car, JC inserted the key and turned the ignition. Nothing. A click and that was all. 

“Well, I think your distributor is faulty. Gotta get it replaced,” she announced, checking one, two things before giving her diagnosis. 

“Well, I’m not from around here so do you know of somewhere I can go to get it fixed?” he asked, coming over to stand beside her. His gaze fixed on the engine, as if by looking at it, he’d gain an understanding of its function. 

“Well, you have Larry’s Garage about ten minutes from here, but its 6:30 on a Friday evening. Every place is gonna be closed, and sorry to tell you but around here, mechanics don’t work on the weekend. It’s like their Sabbath or something,” she informed him, adjusting the bill of her baseball cap. 

“Oh great, just fucking great,” he grumbled, his hands frustratingly pulling at his dark hair. 

“Hey, no need for the foul language. The auto parts shop opens in the morning around 9am, and they should have a spare in stock. If you trust me, I can change the distributor for you then,” she offered, shrugging her shoulders. JC’s gaze turned, hesitantly, towards her. Despite her rugged wardrobe, dirtied jeans, gray plaid shirt, black grey baseball cap, and black gumboots, she looked like a typical woman. She had very ladylike manners, long and lean fingers, and delicate facial features. 

“I don’t have a choice but to trust you. You’re the only other person I know besides the guy from the rental place and the elderly cashier inside,” he replied. 

“Well, at least, you’re honest. I’m sure the guy and the cashier both wore nametags, so they have an advantage over me. Scarlett Rae, pleasure to meet you,” she smile brightly, sticking out a hand. 

“Josh, it’s a pleasure to meet you,” he returned the handshake and smile. 

“Alright then, Josh. You’ll have to leave the car here overnight, but I’ll give you a ride to wherever and then we can come back in the morning,” she announced, slamming down the hood. Hoisting her grocery bag onto her shoulder once more, she looked expectedly at him. 

“Um, well alright, but I have my luggage and groceries in the car,” he announced, pointing back to the car. 

“Well, alright then, let me pull my car up and we’ll load it up,” she said and walked away. He sighed deeply before moving to pull his luggage from the trunk and the couple bags of groceries from the backseat floorboard. 

A large black Chevy Silverado pulled up in front of his car, and Scarlett Rae climbed out. Grabbing a hold of his large duffle, she carried it with ease and lifted it over the gate onto the truck bed. 

“Is that all you have?” she asked, as he lifted his suitcase onto the truck bed. 

“Yeah, that’s it,” he replied. They each walked around to the front and climbed in. Shifting the truck into the right gear, she eased it through the parking lot and to the traffic light. 

“Where am I going?” 

“I’m staying on Back River Circle,” he announced, his hands twirling in his lap. 

“Skidaway Island, nice. Vacation?” she asked, turning on the radio to provide some background noise. 

“Something like that, more like an escape,” he admitted, his eyes keeping an eye out. He needed to make sure that she was indeed taking him back to his home, and not to some deserted dock. 

“Understandable, no better place to get away from the world than here, that’s for sure,” she replied. 

“Are you from here?” he asked, hoping to keep a conversation going. The silence was too awkward. 

“Born and raised, left for a couple of years to ‘spread my wings’ and now I’m back,” she confessed, adding a slight laugh at the end. 

“You seem too young to talk like that,” he pointed out, turning a inquisitive stare her direction. 

“Like what?” 

“Like your life has come full circle already and you’ve flown back home to await the end,” JC pointedly stated. He saw her eyes widen slightly as she drove. 

“Well, aren’t we a bit brash?” 

“I apologize if that were a bit rude. I simply stated the fact. I’m not completely tactless, but I dare say that you are quite a bit younger than myself,” he inwardly chuckled at the way his speech had already been altered by his environment. Deep in the south, he was remembering every manner that Justin’s mother had ever instilled in him all those years ago. 

“Well, I am not an old maid by any means. And I have yet to see my 30th anniversary, but I have seen lots,” she replied, a bit of indignation lacing her voice. 

“Well, you see, then I was correct. I’m 34,” he announced, a bit of pride clouding his features. 

“You disguise them well,” she spoke before realizing that she’d complimented him. “Oh, I apologize for that.” 

“No harm,” he laughed, seeing a slight blush rise on her olive skin. She shook her head slightly, her ponytail of dark hair shaking through the cap’s back. 

“Scarlett Rae, huh? I haven’t heard that name before,” his comment broke through the silence after a bit. 

“Blame my mother’s obsession with ‘Gone with the Wind’ and my father’s belief that I was the sunray that brightened his life after 5 sons,” she replied, chuckling. 

“Five sons, yeah I bet. Do you go by your entire name?” he asked, thinking it to be way too long to say everytime. 

“No, not really, I introduce myself as Scarlett Rae. But, it ends up shortened in a small window of time. So, call me Scar, Rae, or whatever you wish. Do you?” 

“Not really, full name is Joshua Scott, but everyone calls me JC, C, or Jace,” he replied. She nodded in understanding, but didn’t say anything. He turned his gaze back to the streets, and he began to recognize his surroundings. He knew that they were close to his rental house. 

“Are you in town for long?” she asked, as she turned onto another street.

“Not set plan or anything,” he replied, turning his gaze back to her.

“Well, let me tell you something. If you have anything you need to get back to wherever you come from, get a calendar. Why? Well, time doesn’t exist out here,” she advised, before asking which home was his. Pointing to one at the end of the street, she eased the truck down the street. 

“I’ll keep that in mind. I really do appreciate you doing this for me. You didn’t have to help me out,” he said as she pulled into his driveway. 

“Well, I figured that I’d want someone to help me or my loved one out too. But, here’s my phone number, give me a call in the morning when you’re set and we can go check out the auto shop and try to get you all fixed up,” Scarlett said, writing her phone number on the back of an old gas station receipt. Taking it from her, he smiled and thanked her for the ride. 

“I’ll help you out,” she offered, getting out and helping with his luggage. Placing it on his front porch, she backed up towards her truck again. Before he could step into his house, she called him back. 

“A bunch of us are probably gonna go out tonight to a bar or somewhere, would you like to hang with us? I’d hate for your first night here for you to be stuck at home,” she kicked her gumboot at the paved driveway. 

“That’d be great. Are you sure I won’t be a bother?” he replied, his hands burying themselves in his jean’s pockets. 

“Not at all, the more the merrier. Let’s see, its almost 6, so let’s say 8:30. I’ll come by and pick you up, yeah?” she said looking at her watch. 

“Yeah, that’d be fine. I’ll be here,” she smiled, nodded, and then waved. 

“Thanks Rae,” he smiled, waving back at her. 

“Welcome to Savannah,” she smiled before climbing into her truck, pulling out the driveway, and driving away. He shook his head clear before pulling his luggage and groceries through his front door. Leaning back on the door, he sighed and smiled in relief. 

“Welcome to Savannah, indeed,” he chuckled before pushing away and walking towards the homey kitchen at the back of the house.

End Notes:
What can I say? I'm Georgia girl at heart. Review! Review! Review!
Chapter 2 by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
So, I'm a slacker. I know. I thought I would have finished in time, but I didn't. With work and celebrating my friend's birthday, Oct 2nd came to a quick end. Then I realized that no one signed up for the 3rd or 4th. So, without asking, I figured it would be ok if I dragged my story until today the 3rd. Here's the 2nd chapter. There is only one more after this, so I'll try to finish it before work and if not, I'll finish it tonight. Remember, review! review! review!

“I apologize for that back there. They can act like kids sometimes,” Rae lamented as she led JC down the sidewalk, away from the bar they’d just exited. JC laughed in response, shrugging away her apology. 

“No need to apologize,” he replied. Rae had invited him to hang out with her and friends. It was now nearing 11 o’clock and had just been kicked out of the bar, BlueMoon. A couple of Rae’s friends had gotten into a fight with other patrons, and thus, everyone had been asked to leave. 

“Well, I feel like I have to apologize. My brothers sort of ambushed you back there,” Rae laughed slightly, remembering her three brothers failing miserably to intimidate JC. JC had remained cool, calm, and collected. And after a short time, they’d offered to take care of his vehicle in the morning. 

“They meant well. And well, I understand that it’s a bit unsettling to see your sister hanging out with a guy she’s just met a few hours before,” he explained, burying his hands into his jean’s pockets. 

“Do you have a sister?” Rae asked, sneaking a sideways glance at him. He looked so relaxed, yet so handsome. When she’d picked him up, she’d noticed how good he looked in his dark grey jeans, white t-shirt, and a black jacket. They’d somewhat coordinated; she wearing black jeans, grey luxe tank, and black flats. 

“One sister and one brother,” he replied. 

“Would you like to walk around and do you want to go home?” she asked, stopping at the street’s corner. They could either take a left toward the parking deck where they’d stationed, or keep walking straight towards the Savannah historic park squares. 

“I’m still stuck on West Coast time, so I’d like to walk around, if you don’t mind,” he replied, looking at her to make the decision. 

“Well alright then, how much of a history buff are you?” she asked, taking a step to cross the street. 

“I like history, but I’m not a fanatic,” he said with a shrug of his shoulder. The night was a comfortable crisp and cool night. It was the beginning of October, and so he didn’t expect for the weather to be too hot. And the cool brisk breeze was a nice welcome to the recent 100-degree he’d experienced back home. 

“Well that’s just great, I won’t feel too bad about not sharing all the history of every cobblestone,” she laughed, mockingly wiping her brow. He joined in her laughter. “West coast, huh?” 

“Los Angeles,” he nodded. 

“LA and no spray tan? Well, ain’t that a shocker,” she kidded. He smirked in response, but didn’t say anything. “Well, forgive me, but now I really understand why you needed to escape. LA is a scary place.” 

“Been there?” his interest peaked. She’d mentioned that she’d left Savannah for some time, but she never elaborated. 

“Lived there for about a year, and that was plenty,” her answer vague and lackluster. 

“You get used to it, somewhat,” he defended. 

“Well, JC, that’s the scary part. When something like that because remotely normal, your every sense of what is right and wrong is out of your control,” she explained, and he remained silent. In some way she might be insulting him, including him in her LA study. But the same time, he knew exactly what she meant because this is what had driven him away from LA. He’d become fed up with the blurred reality, or lack thereof. 

“But you’re not from the south and you definitely are not from California, so where are you from?” 

“Maryland, but I’ve moved around a lot,” he replied. 

“Ah yes, but where our foundation was poured stays the same you know,” Rae smiled as a look of understanding passed over JC’s face. She’d been there. She’d felt the overwhelming sensation that her life was not under her control. She’d felt the need to rediscover the purpose of life. 

“True, yes, but your foundation isn’t the only thing that makes you. Every level poured after that defines the structure too,” JC continued the analogy that she’d set. 

“Well, yes, but the design and number of levels depend on the foundation’s strength, stability, and depth,” she retorted, before laughing. 

“That analogy was going to get out of hand very quickly. Windows, walls and doorways were next,” JC chuckled, shaking his head at their conversation. 

“Definitely, come on, I want to show you something,” she prodded, taking his hand and pulling him through the park square. Stone-lined walkways, beautiful greenery, large oaks, rustic benches all illuminated by the light posts rushed by him as they jogged. She was telling him a story about how they, her brothers and her, would spend hours at the park squares as kids as their worked at the local bank. He listened intently as her arms flailed and gestured to one thing and to another. 

Her openness and willingness to share life anecdotes was refreshing. It was definitely not something that he’d expected upon arriving. He’d planned to just spend all his time alone, regrouping and maybe getting back into making music for himself. He’d scouted so many locations but the looming fear of not being able to stay anonymous had eliminated many places. He never had much luck picking ‘secret’ locations, so he’d gone to the one person that always seemed to get away with secrets. 

Justin. 

And sure enough, Justin had come through. He’d given him several ideal places, and in a random hat draw, Savannah had been chosen. The house he’d rented had everything he could need, including a dock on the Intracoastal Waterway. Anonymity could be maintained as he enjoyed peace and solitude. But, now, suddenly, he wasn’t craving solitude so much. Rae didn’t seem to know who he was, and he liked that. It was as refreshing now ten years after NSYNC as it was then. It was like having a blank slate and being able to choose new colors to paint a picture with. 

He could be himself, without having to respond for his past. Turning his attention back to Rae, he realized that she’d stopped talking and was standing in front of him with a raised eyebrow. 

“Hey Space Cadet, back to earth please,” she smirked, placing her hands on her hips. 

“I apologize. I was thinking about how I expected one thing arriving here and how I’ve gotten another thing since then,” he admitted, slightly embarrassed that she’d caught him daydreaming. 

“It’s life. It’ll always happen. I expected to pick up a few things at the grocery store and instead I picked up a helpless guy,” she teased, causing him to laugh. 

“Yep, I wasn’t expecting to be a damsel in distress so early in life,” he retorted, mockingly flipping his hair over his shoulder. Her eyes crinkled at the corner as she laughed boisterously. 

“Since I’ve bored you with my painful historic tour of a National Historic town, what would you like to do?” Rae asked, looking down at her watch. The time, one a.m., glared angrily back at her. 

“Would you slap me if I kissed you right now?”

Raising her eyes in surprise, she was speechless. She expected him to have a cocky look on his face, but instead, she found a serious expression. He was being completely truthful. Her eyes shifted from his lips to his eyes to his lips again. Nerves began to take over her body and she forced her now-trembling hands into her back pockets. Looking at his wide-eye expression, she knew that he was losing confidence with every passing second. And she, well she, was gaining every confidence point that he lost. 

“Maybe after I kissed you back.” 

And his hands were on her cheeks in the blink of an eye, grasping her gently and tilting her lips to meet his. It was soft and supple, with the right amount of pressure and intimacy. Her hands, still in her back pockets, reached from behind and grasped his biceps. He was a thin man, and she wasn’t expecting to feel the burgeoning muscle that she felt. But, they were both quickly learning that what they expected was wrong – every time.

End Notes:
Review! Review!
Chapter 3 by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
so, I lied. I was going to end it with three chapters, but I couldn't. I just couldn't. So, I think I'm gonna drag it on for one more day. Hehe, y'all love me! Enjoy!

“Scarlett Rae!” her older brother Brett exclaimed, causing JC and Rae to jump apart.  

“What?!” she groaned, trying desperately to inconspicuously wipe her lips. JC’s head was ducked, but she could see a smile on his face. She smacked his arm and he finally chuckled, but quickly masked it behind a cough. 

“When I tell mama that you’re sucking face with a boy at Johnson’s Square, she’s gonna want to meet him,” Brett taunted her as she neared them. 

“Don’t you dare Brett,” Rae warned, pointing a finger in his direction. The glare that her eyes emitted could’ve killed a small animal. 

“Oh put the guns away, Rae, and let’s get going,” he sighed, rolled his eyes, and turned around to lead the way back to the parking garage. 

“Is he going to murder me in a dark alley?” JC whispered as Rae stepped from around him and followed Brett, at a safe distance. 

“Nah, he’s all bark no bite. It’s the other four you gotta worry about,” Rae replied, smiling softly. 

“Let me just worry about surviving this car ride and tomorrow morning, then I’ll worry about the rest,” he swallowed thickly, but it was all play. Rae laughed and continued walking. Pretty soon they reached the SUV she’d driven, and everyone piled in. JC sat in the front seat since he’d be the first to get dropped off. Drunken loud chatter filled the small space, so JC opted to not attempt a conversation with Rae. 

“The boys will go over and check out the car in the morning, do you need to go anywhere while they work on it?” Rae offered as JC rounded the front of the vehicle to her rolled down window. 

“No, I should be ok. I have your number in case I need anything. But, I’ll be good,” he replied. 

“Alright then, well, we’ll bring the car around once they fix it up,” Rae replied, giving him a small smile.

“Thank you. I really do appreciate their help and yours as well. Be safe driving back and I enjoyed myself,” JC added a wink.

“Myself, included,” Rae replied, ducking her head as a small blush rose to her cheeks.

“Good night, JC.” 

“Good night, Scarlett Rae,” and a small wave sent her on her way. 

#### 

“You told mama?!?! You sonofabitch!” Rae exclaimed, kicking Brett in the shin as she came up to him in the barn the next day. 

“What the hell, Rae? That hurt!” he exclaimed, hopping on one foot. Leaning down to rub the throbbing spot, he reached his hand out to smack her thigh. 

“I can’t believe you told mama about last night,” Rae exclaimed once again, now rubbing the stinging area on her thigh. Realizing what she was talking about, Brett stood up straight and doubled back over laughing. Rae stood with a scold on her face and her arms crossed – un-amused. 

“What’d she do now?” Brett asked, once his laughter died down. 

“She just told me that she told Matt to make sure to invite JC to dinner tonight. She says ‘I’ve gotta meet this young man that’s got you disrespecting Savannah’s sacred park squares’ and I just knew your big mouth had ratted me out!” Rae stomped as she whined. 

“Oh get over it, if I didn’t tell her, then some gossip wench woulda gotten to her,” Brett replied before returning to brushing the horse’s mane. 

“He’s supposed to be here on vacation and you’ve just set him up for the worst interrogation of the century,” Rae groaned, falling back and taking a seat on a bale of hay. 

“What does he do anyway? I mean, who takes a vacation in October?” Brett questioned, pausing his brushing momentarily. 

“I don’t know, Brett. I didn’t get much of an opportunity to play 20 questions,” Rae rolled her eyes. 

“Oh, that’s right. Playing tonsil hockey comes first, priorities,” Brett sighed. Rae laughed slightly before rolling her eyes. 

“Oh whatever, if momma scares him away, I’m coming after you,” she threatened before leaving the barn and stomping her way across the expansive backyard towards her house. 

#### 

“Oh dear, you are quite handsome. Rae’s sins are all forgiven, come on in,” Margaret, Rae’s mother, greeted JC at the door. Holding in his laughter, he stepped across the threshold. 

“Nice to meet you ma’am, and thank you for the invitation,” he said, watching her close the large oak door and turn towards him. 

“Oh heavens, call me Maggie, son. And cool the manners, I’m too old to get this hot,” she retorted, fanning herself slightly before grabbing hold of his elbow. At this, JC could not hold in his laughter and his head ducked. 

“Follow me this way, we’ll go find Rae,” she winked at him when he looked up, and led him through the large, open foyer. Heart pine floors and beams radiated such a homey feeling of great comfort and warmth. 

“You have a beautiful home, Maggie,” JC shared as his eyes danced around the 19th century residence, admiring everything – the stenciling, the extensive millwork, and all the woodwork. 

“It really is and we have Rae for it. She gifted us with it about 8 years ago,” she replied, pushing open another door that led to the outside. Stepping out after her, they stood on a beautifully decorated side porch. It stood overlooking a large backyard that led down to a river’s edge. 

“Scarlett Rae, get your brothers! It’s dinnertime,” Margaret yelled down towards the water’s edge, where JC could see Rae standing talking to several other people. Turning her head, Rae saw JC and her mother standing on the porch. A small smile graced her face before she began shouting to everyone around her that it was dinnertime. Quickly making her way towards them, Rae greeted JC with a hug. 

“Nice of you to make it,” Rae said, cautious of her mother’s attentiveness. 

“I couldn’t say no to your mom’s invitation. Plus, I don’t think I wanted to mess with Matt,” JC kidded. 

“Oh that big ol’ brute is harmless,” Margaret exclaimed before stepping back into the house to get everything set up for dinner. Rae and JC laughed loudly. 

“She is something else,” JC observed, pointing towards the inside of the store. 

“Oh lord, I don’t even want to know what that woman has said to you. She’s like a young Cloris Leachman, I swear. I’d like to apologize for any discomfort she may bring you,” Rae sighed, but the playfulness shined through. 

“Ha, I love that. You think she needs some help inside?” he asked, hearing ruckus coming from inside. 

“Lord yes, and she’s going to love you more for offering to help. Come on, Superman,” Rae joked and led them inside. Walking into the kitchen, JC offered to help set the table or bring the food to the table. And of course, Margaret ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’ at his offer before settling a bowl of mash potatoes in his hands and pinching his cheeks. Rae laughed and shrugged at his startled expression. 

Finally, the table was set and everyone began to pour into the dining room. Rae had helped JC set the elaborate table setting for the ten seats. One-by-one, each seat took an occupant. Looking around, JC knew all but four family members. 

“JC, this is my father Tim, my oldest brother, Garrett, and his wife AnnaLynne and children Julie and Liam,” Rae pointed out each member before the blessing could be said. “Guys, this is my friend, JC.” 

“Woah, from NSYNC?” the question had escaped Julie’s mouth before she could censor herself. Slapping a hand over her mouth, she looked around to see if she was in trouble. Rae’s head had snapped around to look at him, and her once-bewildered look slowly became one of recognition. 

“Holy shit, you’re from NSYNC,” she whispered, earning a sharp smack on the arm from her mother for her language. 

“Well, that was ten years ago, but yes, I was part of NSYNC,” JC nervously admitted, scratching at the back of his head. 

“How’d that slip past you, sis?” Matt teased, and Brett laughed. Rae glared at them before turning back to JC. 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean that as a bad thing. I just wasn’t expecting that, and now, well, I feel silly,” she tried to reason. 

“For heaven’s sake, what’s NSYNC and why is everyone acting like it’s the holiest of holy?” Margaret sighed, growing agitated with being left out. 

“Sweetie, NSYNC is only one of the best selling pop groups of these youngins’ generation,” Tim explained to his wife, condescendingly patting the top of her hand that rested on the table. 

“How does dad know who NSYNC is?” Garrett questioned, flabbergasted. 

“Because he’s not a complete Neanderthal like you,” Rae retorted, evilly smiling. 

“Just how ‘best-selling’?” Margaret inquired, looking around still clueless. 

“No one’s been able to outsell their opening week’s sales since 2000,” Rae mumbled, back to her shocked state of mind. She was beginning to feel more and more like an idiot. She should’ve known who he was from the first moment she’d seen him. They’d met so many years ago in Nashville. 

“Oh lord, I should’ve brought out my good china,” Margaret sighed, a look of complete devastation across her face. Everyone heard her comment and froze. Looking around to each other, they all realized the ridiculousness of their reactions and began laughing. And laughing they did, for a good while.

End Notes:
Good? Bad? Stupid? It doesn't matter, review & let me know. Won't hurt my feelings, I promise. I WANT TO KNOW! REVIEW! REVIEW! REVIEW! REVIEW!
Chapter 4 by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
So, this went somewhere I wasn't expecting it to go, but I like it. I hope y'all enjoy! And please, review! review! review!

“Have a good night,” Margaret and Tim waved as everyone got into their respective cars. Rae and JC had a little further to walk to their cars. They waved back and continued walking. 

“So, your dad is Tim Arata, and you are Rae Arata. I guess we both have bones in the closet, huh?” JC assessed as Rae continued walking with him to his car. 

“What gave it away?” Rae quietly asked, not surprised that he’d pieced it together. If anything, she was still embarrassed about not recognizing him earlier. 

“Your dad just looked familiar, and I knew him because Lance’s favorite Garth song is ‘The Dance’. When we went out back, we were talking music and his knowledge is just wow. I just knew it then, that’s who he was. But, you, well, you just stumped me. Until just now, I passed by a room by the restroom and I saw your Grammy. Then, I just felt silly,” he explained, turning to face her. 

“2002, Staples Center,” she replied, answering his silent question. 

“You were talking to Lance,” the memory reliving in his mind. She’d stood there in a black little black dress with ruby red heels and lipstick, and she’d praised them on their album. He hadn’t given her a second glance except to check out her legs in that dress. 

“And you smiled and walked on,” she smiled softly. No harm, no foul. 

“Then I asked you to dance at the afterparty,” he smirked, knowing what came next. 

“And I declined to dance with Justin,” she laughed, quietly. 

“I deserved that,” he cemented. 

“No, you didn’t. My ego was a little crushed and I acted childish,” she apologetically replied, laying a hand on his forearm, which lay crossed at his chest. 

“Make it up to me then,” he challenged. Her eyebrow raised in response, and a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth. 

“How so Popstar?” she pressed. 

“The night is young. Let’s go get some ice cream, Cowgirl,” he offered, tilting his head back towards the road. 

“No harm in that, right?” she replied, giving him her answer. 

“Take both cars?” he asked, realizing that they’d both driven. 

“I live on the way back to downtown, mind if we drop my car off there?” she offered, and he agreed. Getting into their respective cars, JC followed Rae the fifteen minutes or so to her house. Turning off the main road, he eased his car through a large gate. A seemingly never-ending dirt driveway was exposed under the shimmering light from their headlights. Large, ominous oak trees draped in Spanish moss canvassed the road with azalea bushes lining either sides. Looking around, JC couldn’t see any neighboring houses or even her house. 

After a while, the lights from her grand home began to light the way. A smile came over his face seeing her home. It was the typical antebellum country home that might be seen in a Better Homes and Garden magazine. A large wraparound porch hugged the estate, and a warm glow from the outdoor lights basked the home. He watched Rae pull her SUV into the garage on the side of the home, and he pulled up closer to wait for her to climb in. The dirt road wrapped around the front of the home and led back towards the main road. He would guess it lay 1 or 2 miles from the main road. 

“All set?” he asked as she gingerly sat down on the passenger seat. She smiled in response and secured the seatbelt. 

“Beautiful home,” he observed, looking at the now fading lights in his rearview mirror. 

“Thank you. You’ll have to come back in the daytime to see it all,” she replied, smiling at him and settling into the seat. 

“How big of a plot do you have here?” he questioned, easing the vehicle down towards the main road. He could see the wrought-iron gates coming up ahead, and his headlights shone brightly. Under the bright lights, he read the signage atop the gates’ arch. 

“Elysian Farms?” he read aloud. 

“I live on 2 acres, and 400 acres of farmland,” she replied. 

“400 hundred?!?! That’s a small country,” he wowed, turning his wide-eyed gaze to Rae. 

“Not really, but it is pretty huge,” she shrugged. 

“Working farmland?” he asked. She nodded and his gaze prodded her to elaborate. 

“Vidalia onion and cattle.” He nodded, and remained silent. He was blown away. With each discovery, something grew inside him. Her every achievement, every record, every song, his curiosity was peaked. 

“Is this why you left music?” he questioned as he continued driving towards the downtown district of Savannah. 

“What? The farm?” she questioned, confused. He nodded and she laughed. 

“No, the farm came about because of me leaving. I needed a getaway. I needed to startover and to focus my energy on something else. Plus, I never really left music. I just needed a break,” she defended, and he laughed. 

“Its been what 4, 5 years?” he retorted. 

“6 years and 4 months,” she automatically replied, causing him to laugh more. 

“See, you miss it.” “As do you, so why haven’t you gone back?” she challenged. 

“Music industry is unforgiving. It’s not about the music anymore,” he sadly admitted. 

“And I remember reading that for you it was about the music and the fans, not the industry. And certainly not about the money, do you still write?” she questioned. 

“For others, yeah,” he eased the car into a side parking space and cut off the engine. 

“And I bet there have been songs you’ve given away that you wished were yours,” she said, climbing out and walking around to the front to wait on him. He climbed out and joined her on the sidewalk. Leading the way, he stayed silent contemplating his response. 

“No, I’ve kept my best songs in hopes of one day going back into the studio. How about you? Don’t you miss it?” he opened the door to the local creamery before following after her. 

“Of course, I miss it. But, I lost a lot of friends because of it. And, I never again found the spark with another set of producers or writers. And my daddy always said, if there’s no spark, there’s no bark,” she laughed, hearing the silliness in his statement after all these years. 

“Well, that’s not the soundest analogy but I see what he means,” he laughed, along with her. They paused their conversation long enough to order their desserts. Watching the employees prepare their waffle cones, they remained silent. Both contemplating opening their wounds for the other to lick. 

“Has it felt the same writing, singing, or performing without the guys?” Rae questioned, as they sat outside on one of the patio tables. JC licked at his cone and shook his head. 

“Not for one second.” 

“So, you understand my weariness,” she panned, and he nodded. 

“Yeah, but I think I’ve done well on my own,” he replied. And she didn’t believe his statement for one second. 

“Oh yeah, me too. That’s why I’ve been making music like a crazy rabbit the past six years,” she snorted. 

“You and I aren’t all that alike, Rae,” his defensiveness began to break through. Rae caught on to the sharp tone, and almost felt bad for pushing him. But, she hated to see incredible talent being wasted. 

“We’re a lot more alike than you are willing to see, JC,” she shrugged, and relaxed back in her seat. His eyes, strong and tense, bore her own. 

“Explain,” he requested. His jaw set and the vein in his forehead making a sudden appearance. 

“Tell me a secret, something that no one else knows,” she challenged him. 

“What kind of secret?” he questioned, confused by her question. 

“Anything. Here, I’ll tell you something. Every time I’ve been asked why I left music, I give them the same answer that I gave you. But, it’s a lie. I left because the man that I loved with all my heart and soul didn’t love me enough to stay with me. He was my muse, my inspiration, my every song, and without him, the music left with him,” she admitted, tears making her green eyes shine. 

“And I was a fool to let him take that from me, and so I’m asking you right now to drop your guard the same way I just did. You don’t have to be invincible, because I’m no saint. My halo is off,” she continued, reaching her hand to her head and removing an imaginary halo from atop. Placing it in the center of the patio table, she looked up at him expectedly. 

“Take off those wings of yours, and tell me a secret.” 

JC’s eyes shifted from her face to the imaginary halo that she’d set on the table. The emotion of the moment crumbling every wall he’d ever erected. Reaching out, he offered her his waffle cone. Confused, she took it from his hand and watched as he shifted his arms back. Like taking off a backpach, she knew he was shedding his wings. Dropping them besides his chair, he reached back and took his waffle cone. 

“I left music because I felt betrayed by my best friend, my brother,” he admitted, and tears escaped the corners of Rae’s eyes. She knew exactly whom it referenced. 

“He never betrayed you,” she whispered, dabbing a napkin at the corners of her eyes. 

“And he never knew you loved him,” he guessed correctly. 

“The feeling of liberty that comes just by being you,” she amazed, breathing deeply and feeling a great weight lifting from her shoulders. 

“And it’s incredibly humbling to know that we made stupid decisions,” he assessed, drawing a chuckle from both of them. 

“I wouldn’t change it, though. Because then, would we be having this conversation?” she provided some brewing thoughts. 

“We wouldn’t have ran away to a place closer to the truth,” he concluded. And silence overcame them once again. Both, leaning back in their seats, enjoyed their ice cream in silence. Allowing the conversation to soak in, they stared at one another. Nothing was spoken for a long while, long after the ice cream disappeared. 

“This all sounds like a great song,” she laughed, lightly. And he sat up. The look on his face was indescribable. It was a mixture of serenity with excitement, and dabble of fear and recognition. His attention snapped and he pushed away from chair, roughly. 

“Come on, let’s go!” he exclaimed, taking her hand and pulling her down the sidewalk towards his car. Rae stumbled behind him, laughing at his actions. 

“Slow down! Where are we going?!?!” she exclaimed/laughed. Quickly unlocking the doors, he gestured for her to climb in as he, too, climbed in. 

“How do you feel about coming back to music? Together?” he asked, stopping his excited actions and turning to face her. The seriousness of his question caused her eyes to widen and her body to stiffen. Emotionless, her eyes wide, her jaw dropped, and her body went numb. 

“Super,” he surmised, and backed the car out of the parking space and back onto the road.

End Notes:

<< hiding >>

Please don't hurt me! I promise, there is a sequel! And it'll be a #PopTober entry as well, so please, stay tuned! And review, give me your ideas of what you want to happen. It helps. It may change where I want to take it, or it may not. LoL! I hope y'all enjoyed!

Review! Review! Review!

S/N: The last bit of dialogue has the lyrics of "Just By Being You (Halo and Wings)" by Steel Magnolia incorporated.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1897