If Only (The Conversation) by Keediluv
Summary:

 

 

 

All the eyes on me in the center of the ring

 

Just like a circus (ah, ah, ahaha-hah)


When I crack that whip, everybody gonna trip


Just like a circus (ah, ah, ahaha-hah)


Don't stand there watching me, follow me


Show me what you can do


Everybody let go, we can make a dancefloor


Just like a circus (ah, ah, ahaha-hah, ha, ha, ha, ha, ho, ho, ho)

 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Celebrity/Celebrity, Drama
Challenges: Pop!Tober Fiction Writing Challenge
Challenges: Pop!Tober Fiction Writing Challenge
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 6467 Read: 7053 Published: Oct 21, 2010 Updated: Oct 21, 2010

1. One... by Keediluv

2. And Two.... by Keediluv

3. To The Three... by Keediluv

One... by Keediluv
Author's Notes:
We all know Justin didn't really write the song but for story's sake, he did.  These are just my thoughts put to paper.  Purely fiction.  To my rockin' socks Beta Mayra (jersey_tenn), you helped this thing come together and I truly thank you for it. I hope you like it and thank you for taking the time to read it.  It means more than you'll know.




"Sean, let's go honey, you're going to be late for school."

 

 

 

Tiredly, the little one walked out of the kitchen, yawning his way over to his beautiful mother.  He just entered Kindergarten the month before and everyday, he's been on time.  That was something his young mother took pride in and she didn't plan on ruining it today.  He looked up to her, striking green eyes looking into browns, he smiled and took her hand.  His little brother was had already been at daycare for about an hour now, something his mother reminded him of when she let him sleep an extra fifteen minutes.  The pair walked out of the front door, waiving to several of his mother's employees on the way to the car.  He didn't really understand the need to have so many people around all the time.  Anytime he went over to any of his schoolmates houses, they didn't have the same amount of people that his mother had.  He wouldn't know what it meant to be a celebrity's son until later.  For now, he was fine with how his life was; his mom, little brother and grandpa. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Mommy, I'm supposed to bring in snacks for the class party this weekend.  Only healthy, organic stuff though.  Ms. Davis said that I could bring apples or oranges, whatever we wanted."

 

 

 

 

"Sure, I'll have Sam go to the store later and pick up a bunch of stuff, cool?"

 

 

 

 

"Yeah, thanks."  He answered smiling.  She returned his smile and seeing her happy made him happy.  There were times he could remember her not smiling.  He was glad those days seemed to be long gone.

 

 

 

 

The young mother looked over at her eldest son pridefully.  She couldn't believe how fast time has gone by.  She can remember when she first held him in her arms, vowing to protect him from anything that could possibly harm him.  From diapers, to potty training to his first words, she'd been present through it all.  She sometimes wondered where all the time had gone.  Shaking her head of those thoughts, she smiled again and turned the radio up.  Hearing the song playing on the radio, she immediately turned the radio down again.  She couldn't deal with that song, those words, or that voice right now.

 

 

 

 

"Mommy, I like that song.  Justin's the man."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Looking at her son quizzically since she'd never played anything by him around them before, she asked "How would you know."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Amber took her sister's I-Pod to school one day and that's all she had on it.  We listened to him every recess for a week.  And then one time, Auntie Jamie was dancing around her room to his music but when that song came on, she shook her head and turned off the radio.  I like that song, but I guess she didn't."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Well, that's good that you heard his music before.  He's very talented.  We used to be friends a long time ago.  In fact, we were best friends."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sean's eyes grew twice in size at his mother's last statement.  He knew she had a bunch of cool friends, but she had been friends with Justin Timberlake?  In his book, that was big.  At least, it would be with the girls at school who'd trade snacks with him at lunch time.  They loved to hear about all of his mommy's friends.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Really momma?  That is so cool.  Are you not friends anymore?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Sadly no.  We grew apart because we were so busy all the time.  But, I miss him alot.  Alright bettlebug, we're in front of your school now.  Have a good day.  And make sure you show Ms. Davis your homework.  I checked everything, and filled out the slip for your field trip next week and for you to try out for tee ball.  I'll be here at 3pm to pick you up.  Give me sugar."  She says, her southern twang slipping out a bit.  He leans over and plants a sloppy, big kiss on her cheek and she giggles in response.

 

 

 

 

 

"Eww, sticky kisses."  She says tickling his sides lightly, his laughter matching hers. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Have a good day baby."  She tells him, watching him get out of the car.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I will mommy, love you!"  He responds before running off to his class lining up to enter into the building.  She yells back her love, and he smiles and waves to her as she drives off. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With a contented sigh, she pulls out onto the road and heads back home.  She has studio time booked next week and she's lining up more meetings with songwriters and producers.  Her last album did very well and she wanted to make sure she gave her fans the best of her.  She hadn't done that with everything that was going on in her life a few years ago but she promised herself that she'd never let that happen again.  It took her all of ten minutes to get back home where she was greeted by her boyfriend and her manager, sitting at the kitchen table, looking over what appeared to be songs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Good morning doll, how are you today?"  Larry her manager asked.  She kissed each gentleman on the cheek and sat down at the head of the table.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm good Lar, what are you doing here so early."

 

 

 

 

"I just wanted to drop off these songs to you.  They were the best of the ones I've received so far.  I think you'll like them."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Okay, I'll look them over.  Thanks.  Jason, do you remember what day Sandra said she set up studio time?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Yeah, in about two hours.  I thought we put it on the calendar."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I did but I thought that was the week of the 19th."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"It is the week of the 19th honey." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Well darn, I guess I'm going into the studio.  I told Sean I'd pick him up at 3pm so I just take a little break then, bring him home and come back.  No biggie.  So Larry, these songs are good huh?" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Britney picks up the first song, a melody instantly forming in her mind.  She'd been toying with different sounds on her keyboard all week but she just needed words to go along with them.  She was suffering from serious writer's block.  She began to hum the lyrics to herself, getting caught up in her head, letting the music take her away as she did often.  It really was her only refuge.  She notices that the song is written by The Y's. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I like this song Larry, alot.  I'd like to start with this one.  Do we own the rights yet?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Not yet, we're working with the guys now.  They'd like to be in the studio with you or whoever's interested in buying it because it's incomplete.  But before you get too wrapped up in it, you should know all the details."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"What's there to know?  It's has a great hook and I love the lyrics they have so far.  Who are these guys anyway?  I've never heard them before."

 

 

 

 

 

 

The look on Larry's face is solemn.  He's was trying to ease her into this but she caught them in the middle of a conversation and that happened to be the first song she picked up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Brit, Justin wrote the song."  Larry says plainly, trying to prepare for her response.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Aww shit, why do you look so afraid to say that Lar?  It's a hot song, we both know how good of a songwriter he is.  It's no surprise that it's so good.  Why are you looking at me like that?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Well Brit, he wants to be present when the song's recorded.  Throughout the entire process."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"We could make the process short if necessary.  I don't think it'll be that bad.  Does he know that I'm one of the people looking to record it?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Not yet.  When was the last time you guys saw each other in person?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

This takes Britney a while to remember.  So much has happened since the last time they had a decent conversation.  She racks her brain, remembers the night she showed up to his house to explain herself, only to have his security send her away at the gate.  She talked to him briefly through the intercom but he just told her to go home.  He had company and they didn't have anything to say to each other.  She decided to leave that incident out though.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Gosh, 2004 maybe?  I really can't remember right now.  Jason, what do you think?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I don't know babe.  I think if you like it and want to record it, you should do it.  He had to know that you'd probably see it some kind of way.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind another couple grand in his bank account and who knows, maybe you guys could even talk to each other during that time.  Now that I think about it, I think you need to do it."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"And that's why I love you.  There's nothing tying us to each other anymore so working with him should be easy enough.  Tell you what, I'll get ready to head over to the studio and we'll tinker around with it while I'm there.  See what happens when we put it to music. Is that  okay Larry?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm good with it if you are Brit.  Listen, I have to head out but before I go..."  He says grabbing his cell to dial a quick number.  After three rings, the call connects.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Good Morning, Justin Timberlake's office, how can I help you?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Good Morning, Larry Rudolph for Mr. Timberlake please."  He says walking away while Brit and Jason talk amongst themselves.  He didn't want her to overhear him calling Justin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"One moment please."  The line goes silent for a minute or two before he hears...

 

 

 

 

 

 

"This is Justin."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey Justin, its Larry Rudolph.  How are you this morning?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm good Larry, gosh it's been a long time. How are you?"  Justin says with a chuckle.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm doing well.  Listen, we got a hold to one of your songs and my client is really interested in recording it.  The only problem is she wants to go into the studio today.  Do you have time?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"It is rather short notice but luckily I have nothing going on right now.  What song is it?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Circus." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Justin heard Larry say the song title, he nearly choked on the herbal tea he'd been sipping on.  For some reason, he instantly knew who Larry's client was.  He'd wrote the song with her in mind.  But just to be sure, Justin asked...

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Which of your clients is interested in it Larry?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"It's Brit.  I'm actually with her now.  Hold on, I'll grab her."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before Justin could respond, Larry was calling her to the phone.  He hears her ask who's on the phone and his heart quickens a bit.  It's been a really long time and at times, he didn't think they'd ever speak again personally or professionally.  Yet, here he was, two seconds away from...

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hello?"

 

 

 

 

Silence.

 

 

 

 

"Hello?"

 

 

 

 

"It's been a long time.  How are you Britney?"

 

 

 

 

"Justin, hey.  It really has.  I'm good Justin, how are you?"

 

 

 

 

"I'm good.  So, I hear you want to record Circus.  When would you like to meet."

 

 

 

 

"You know, we don't have to do this if you don't want.  The last thing I want is to create any kind of disruption for you.  But, I really like the song and I'd love to record it if you don't mind."

 

 

 

 

"Actually, Larry and I were just talking about that.  I could meet you in the studio today if you'd like."

 

 

 

 

"Okay, I'm heading over there now.  See you in about an hour?"

 

 

 

 

"That'll work, see you there."

 

 

 

 

"Okay and Justin?  Thanks for doing this.  I really appreciate it."

 

 

 

 

"No problem.  Bye Brit."

 

 

 

 

She pauses because she hasn't heard that from him in forever.  And it feels just as good ringing in her ears as it felt on his tongue.

 

 

 

 

"Bye Justin."

And Two.... by Keediluv





They disconnect the call and Britney hands the phone back to Larry.

 

 

 

 

"You could have told me you were calling him before you blindsided me Larry.  We're going to meet at the studio in about an hour so I best get going.  Jason, are you coming?"

 

 

 

 

"No, I'm sorry.  I have some things to handle at the office.  I'm going to be tied up all day.  Then you know I'm going to New York for a week to meet some new clients. I wish I could come though.  Will you be okay?"

 

 

 

 

"Yeah, don't worry about me.  I'll be fine.  You make sure you call me when you get to the airport if I don't see you before you leave tonight."  She reaches out and hugs him tightly.

 

 

 

 

"I love you Brit-Brat."  He says into her neck, kissing her softly.

 

 

 

 

"I love you too Jason.  Call me later on, maybe we'll have some time to go to lunch."

 

 

 

 

"I will, have a good session okay?  Call me if you need me."

 

 

 

 

"Don't worry, I will." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

An hour later...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Britney pulls up at Fantasy Factory Studios and she sees something she couldn't believe.  Parked two spots away from where she just pulled up is a baby blue BMW Roadster.  She got out of the car and walked over to it, doing a make shift inspection to see if what she saw was really true.  It still looked the same.  Everything about it took her to a time when she was young and madly in love with who she considered to be the best thing that ever happened to her. 

 

 

 

 

She'd been in love with him from the very beginning.  When she saw him walk into her vocal coach's office the first time, she was smitten.  His wild, curly hair.  The stride of his step.  His beautifully crooked smile.  Everything about him did it for her.  But most of all, she was captivated by his eyes.  Sworn up and down that she'd never seen eyes that blue before.  She watched him walk around the table with his hand out, coming to introduce himself.  Smiling brightly, he told her his name and she just matched his smile and shook her head really fast and hard.  He just looked at her with his head tilted to the side and politely said it was nice meeting her and he looked forward to getting to know her since they shared the same vocal coach.  He was almost out the door before she said 'nice meeting you' in one long run-on sentence.  He waved and walked out the door.  She'd been hooked ever since.

 

 

 

 

She puts her hand on the car, just for memory's sake.  She remembers the day she surprised him with it.  He was at his grandmother's house and she drove it up to him from where she purchased it in New Orleans.  The eight hour drive was a breeze and she just knew the shock on his face would be well worth it.  And it was.  He was so surprised and the look on his face made everything it took to get it there worth it. 

 

 

 

 

Taking another minute to look at it she slowly walked into the studio.  She opened the door to his boisterous laughter and it made her smile.  Apparently, they were the first people here besides the building manager who was in his office.  She didn't want to interrupt him so she sat quietly on the chair until he completed his phone call. 

 

 

 

 

"I don't know what time I'll be done in the studio but let me call you back.  She should be here any minute.  Yeah, I love you too, bye."

 

 

 

 

Hearing him tell anyone that he loved them kind of threw her for a loop.  She didn't know why though.  Why should that bother her after all this time?  It's not like she had any rights to him anymore.  Where did that come from?

 

 

 

 

"Hey Britney."  Justin says meekly. 

 

 

 

 

"How did you know I was here?"

 

 

 

 

"You still where the same perfume.  That and I heard you coming through the door." 

 

 

 

 

He turns around to face her and each stays where they are; resting in the awkward silence.  What do you say to the one person you loved more than anything in the world?

 

 

 

 

"So", Britney begins, "this is awkward.  Do we shake hands?  Hug?"

 

 

 

 

"We can hug."

 

 

 

 

Justin stands and stretches his arms out, awaiting her embrace.  Hesitantly, she accepts his offer and being back in his arms, if only for that moment, felt so safe yet so different.  The hug was just as comforting as it always had been but this wasn't the same Justin.  This Justin was more defined.  More manly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Justin thought the same of Britney.  This wasn't the girl he promised to protect with his life anymore.  This was a woman who had evolved into someone he didn't even know anymore.

 

 

 

 

They stayed in that embrace for a while, either not knowing when to let go.  Reluctantly, Justin pulls away first and they both instantly miss the warmth that was created between them in the short time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So, we beat the other guys here huh?  You were always punctual."

 

 

 

 

"Some habits never go away you know.  So, how's life been treating you Justin?"

 

 

 

 

"I can't complain.  Life's been pretty good for me.  This acting thing certainly seems to be taking off."

 

 

 

 

"I saw The Social Network...very good movie."

 

 

 

 

"Thank you.  I heard about Aunt Sandra passing.  I'm so sorry, I know how much she meant to you."

 

 

 

 

"Yeah, that was pretty rough.  And thank you for saying that, I know you loved her too."

 

 

 

 

"It was hard not to love that woman.  She was amazing.  Okay, are you ready to try a little something?"  Justin asked turning his attention to the sound board.

 

 

 

 

"Sure, what do you want to do first?"

 

 

 

 

"Let's do some warm ups first then take it from there."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Three hours and four people later...

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Brit, when you go into the hook, hit it stronger.  You're commanding the circus and you need to get their attention.  Make sure you punch each line, but keep it playful.  Try to make it sound like you're enjoying what you're doing."  Justin says into the mic.  Britney just shakes her head, delivering the line the way he wanted it. 

 

 

 

 

It had been a fairly easy session so far.  They breathed through a couple ideas for other songs, nothing sticking quiet yet.  But she knew she wanted to record 'Circus' so they began on that.  Justin's writing partner James, and Dylan the sound engineer were all sitting at the controls and they'd been having a really good time.  Britney couldn't remember the last time she'd had so much fun in the studio.  There was no pressure, everything was just relaxed.  Just as it had been the last time they were in a studio together.

 

 

 

 

Everyone decides to take a lunch break at about 2:30 for an hour.  Britney took that time to pick up her sons from their respective schools and bring them home to her parents.  She rushed back to the studio, not wanting to lose the vibe they'd created.  She finds Justin sitting at a table in the corner, writing in a notepad.  He was forever writing.  From poetry, to lyrics, to just his general feelings about things, he always took time to sort through them by writing.  She'd always admired him for that.

 

 

 

 

"Hope I'm not interrupting."

 

 

 

 

He looks up at her and smiles.  She'd done such a good job with everything so far that he was impressed.  Couldn't believe that after everything they'd been through, they could sit together in a room and it'd be easy.

 

 

 

 

"No, just writing down something I got stuck in my head.  Did you ever think it'd be this easy?"

 

 

 

 

"Honestly?  No, I can't say that I did.  We haven't been this close to each other in an incredibly long time.  I'm just glad we got a chance to reconnect.  You seem to be good at keeping in contact with everyone.  Well, almost everyone."

 

 

Justin was a bit taken aback by her statement but decided to let it go.  The mood was great and he wouldn't ruin it.

 

 

 

 

"Remember the last time we were together?  We had so much fun that night."  Justin recalls wistfully.

 

 

 

 

"I'd say so.  We broke in the couch.  Every time I see a leather couch, I smirk.  Never really thought about why I smirked until now.  I still can't believe we made love while all the Jive executives were outside."  She says with a laugh.

 

 

 

 

"What was I supposed to do?  I told you if you kept teasing me, you'd get it.  I did give you fair warning."  James walks back into the room on his cell, talking loudly.

 

 

 

 

"I guess I deserved that huh.  Can I ask you a somewhat serious question?"

 

 

 

 

Feeling the sudden change in her mood, he answered a simple "Sure."

 

 

 

 

Britney thinks about what she wants to ask but she hesitates actually saying it.  She doesn't want to wreck the good mood they have established but she just had to know.

 

 

 

 

"What made you keep the car?"

 

 

 

 

Justin answers simply; "Why would I not?  I know we didn't exactly end on the best of terms but I love that car.  I haven't driven it in a while though.  Just felt the need to be around things that reminded me of you.  I'm wearing the chain you bought me as well."  Justin pulls out the somewhat gaudy, completely blinged out piece of jewelry she purchased for him for their one year anniversary. 

 

 

 

 

"I can't believe you kept that!  Justin, that's insane.  Wow, that's major man.  I'm somewhat flattered that you kept all this."

 

 

 

 

"Do you still have your car?"

 

 

 

 

"Yes, it's at my parents' house in Kentwood.  Brian drives it around every now and then and makes sure it's running correctly.  I would never get rid of that car.  I love it.  It was the first major gift you'd given me.  I can't part with it."

 

 

 

 

 

 

They look at each other intently, both trying to welcome in the newness of this situation.  Britney scoots her chair closer to his to examine the chain she personally designed for him.  She put her delicate fingers on top of his initials, checking to make sure all of the diamonds were still intact.  The 'JRT' chain sparkled back at her and she smiled in approval.  The scent of his cologne invaded her senses and brought her back to the last time they were in the studio together.  She branded it 'The Unraveling' and it truly had been.  It was the night everything in her life changed.  He takes his hand and places it on top of hers, against his heartbeat.

 

 

 

 

Suddenly, Justin breaks away from her and stands from the table, stumbling slightly. It throws her for a minute but she bounces back, trying to bring up something light.

 

 

 

 

"Remember the last time we were in the studio?  Wade and I had..."

 

 

 

 

Oh damn.

 

To The Three... by Keediluv




The memories of that night slammed against Justin like a tidal wave.  All the anger, the hurt and the sadness washed over him in that moment and he needed air.  Disheveled, he mumbled something incoherently and walked outside, slamming the door against the wall. She gave him a few minutes to himself before joining him outside.

 

 

 

 

"Justin, are you alright?"

 

 

 

 

"Let's just put this to rest once and for all okay?"  He replies frantically.

 

 

 

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

 

 

 

"Dammit Britney don't play stupid right now.  You and I both know there's way too much unsaid between us."

 

 

 

 

"Justin don't.  That was eight years ago.  I thought we could just move on.  Start over with a clean slate.  Maybe some things are better left unsaid.  Your words, not mine."

 

 

 

 

"Really Britney?  Right now?"

 

 

 

 

 

"Isn't that the point?  To air out our grievances?  That shit hurt Justin.  Why did you have to come at me like that?  I was more than willing to try to talk to you but you wouldn't hear it.  And to add insult to injury, you go and pick a girl that looks similar to me.  You did that shit on purpose!  You knew it would hurt.  You got your point across, that's for sure."

 

 

 

 

"You hurt me Brit!  More than anyone ever could or would again.  Look at us.  We were doing well but we can't even get a good dialogue going to make a song stick.  It's hard to be around you and not think of what was.  How are we supposed to write about love?"

 

 

 

 

"It happened a long time ago J.  We did love each other at one time.  Why can't we just tap into that, find whatever we need to find to get through this and be done with it? You agreed to this knowing how hard it would be.  I'm trying my damndest to move on, why can't you?"

 

 

 

 

"I just want to know why. You didn't even have the decency to give me an explanation. All the love I gave deserved an explanation. Don't you think? What if the shoe were on the other foot? What if I'd gone and torn your heart out of your chest and danced all over it?  Wouldn't you want an explanation? Something to tell you that it's not your fault. Something to keep you from hating yourself at night. Huh?"

 

 

 

 

"Justin I don't know how many times I have to say I'm sorry! I'm sorry alright. I never, ever meant to hurt you but dammit, it happened and I can't take it back. I hate myself for what I did to you. Can't you see that?! Don't you know what I've put myself through? It's been all over the news ever since we split. Do you know how hard it's been watching you stay friends with all of your other exes?  It was like you just said fuck everything we'd ever meant to each other.  Bottom line, we BOTH did things in the relationship that contributed to the end. And we BOTH need to own up to that."

 

 

 

 

"Do not bring Cameron and Jessica into this.  And what did I do? What do I have to own up to? The fact that I loved you unconditionally? Or that I allowed you and me become bigger than my four brothers?"

 

 

 

 

"Is that what you think? I never asked you to do that Justin! Ever. We both understood that our careers came first for the time being. You weren't there. Not when it counted. Mr. High and Mighty couldn't take a day to come visit me on tour. Why was it that when it counted, I made the sacrifices? I did what it took to keep the relationship afloat and you didn't. You weren't there when I needed you. I NEEDED YOU!" Britney says in a fit of sobs.  Justin crying as well, replies,

 

 

 

 

"I couldn't make one-man decisions in the group, Britney! I told you this then and I'll tell you the same thing now! I couldn't be selfish when four other men depended on me. If you'd stuck with me a little longer, I could have shown you that I was willing to cancel a tour for you. Going solo, I did it just as much for me as I did it for us. But, you weren't there. You'd had your fun," he finishes sarcastically.

 

 

"And you didn't? What about you and the constant flirting? And doing this movie, and that interview, and that sporting event or whatever. You went solo because you wanted to. Don't put that on me. I understood the group dynamic but Justin, you pretty much ran the show. Whatever you wanted to do, they listened because they were and are all about supporting you."

 

 

 

 

"All of your continuous commitments were driving me crazy.  You never looked under the surface because you needed everything to be good in your world.  And at first, I was okay with that because I loved you.  But as time went on, you got more and more selfish.  I kept telling you I needed more of your time but you didn't listen.  The weekend here, the day there, it wasn't enough.  You know I crave intimacy.  I needed you there for me more than you were willing to be.  Sometimes, I just needed your attention.  I needed to feel like I was just as important to you as you were to me.  So while you were off being Superstar, I was slowly slipping away and you just weren't there.  It wasn't my entire fault Justin.  I'm not excusing what happened but that's the truth.  I never meant to hurt you. How can I fix us?  Tell me how to fix us."  Britney says, her mood going from sorrowful, to fits of anger, back to sadness. 

 

 

 

 

Justin walks up to her and wraps her in his arms again.  He feels as though they've reached some kind of breakthrough.  Smoothing his hand up and down her back, he tries to calm her down.  He never realized he'd been as much a part of their demise as she had.  She only did physically what he hadn't done emotionally.

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry Brit.  I never knew your side and for that I apologize.  I should have given you the chance to explain what how you felt about us.  I was so concerned with my feelings that I just didn't care how you felt.  I'm really sorry."

 

 

 

 

"So am I.  You just don't know how bad it's been for me.  All the shit that's been played out through the press is nothing compared to what my everyday life was like.  I couldn't escape it, no matter how hard I tried.  And believe me I tried.  You were everywhere!  In the grocery store, at the bookstore, even at the spa.  I just couldn't get you out of my head.  I'll never forget the look on your face when you found out.  It haunts me even now.  I can't shake it."

 

 

 

 

Justin takes her hand and leads her to his car, sitting her in the passenger seat before going over to sit beside her behind the wheel.  They sat there in silence watching the dusk settle into the night.  It was beautiful out the moment felt completely serene.  Britney reached over and grabbed his hand stroking it lightly with the pad of her thumb.

 

 

 

 

"How'd you know Jessica and I had broken up?"

 

 

 

 

"I told you I can't shake you no matter how hard I try.  I keep up with the goings on in your life every now and then.  I heard it through the grapevine."

 

 

 

 

"I see. I still can't believe you married 'the dancer'."  Justin says laughing and she withdraws her hand from his momentarily.  He grabs her hand into his this time, and they lock fingers.  Eventually, she laughs along with him.

 

 

 

 

"Just like I can't believe you were in a relationship with 'Man Hands' Diaz.  We've both made some interesting choices in the aftermath of us.  I did get two beautiful boys out of the deal."  She says going into her back pocket, pulling out the picture of the three of them together sitting at the Christmas tree.  He looks at them sitting there as a family and it brings a tear to his eye.

 

 

 

 

"They're beautiful Brit.  And so big too.  You must be one proud mommy."

 

 

 

 

"I am."  He looks at her with sincerity in his eyes and barely above a whisper says...

 

 

 

 

"Those were supposed to be our kids."

 

 

 

 

Britney smiles and says a quiet 'I know'.

 

 

 

 

"Just letting you know, you're the best I've ever had."  She's not sure she heard him right so she asks,

 

 

 

 

"What?"

 

 

 

 

"I said, I've never had better."

 

 

 

 

"Neither have I.  I don't think I ever will.  It was so beyond just sex with you.  I know we were young then but I swear it's never been the same with anyone else.  You made love to my heart and my body.  Every touch was tender.  Every kiss felt new.  I'm convinced that it'll never, ever be what it was with you."

 

 

 

 

"I know what you mean.  I mean I've had great sex since but yeah, it's never topped anything we ever did together.  If only our lives together had worked out the way it was supposed to."

 

 

 

 

With a sigh she looks over to him and smiles.  She hopes that they can grow on this new found space they've entered into.  She wants to be a part of his life and she hopes he'll allow them to do so.  She doesn't expect to be all buddy buddy right now but at least, they can slowly heal...together.

 

 

 

 

"If only.  Those may be the two saddest words in the world."

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1913