Family Matters by rosaleighwrites
Summary:

It's been nearly two years since singer Justin Timberlake walked out on his girlfriend, Sophia Beatrix Lenore Carmichael, New York City heiress.

And now, following the sudden death of her sister and her husband--who happened to be Justin's best friend, the two are back in one another's lives.

Indefinitely. At least, for the next seventeen years or so.


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: General
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 3762 Read: 6841 Published: Nov 01, 2010 Updated: Nov 18, 2010
Story Notes:

I know, I've started another :) Oy.


 

1. Meet my cast of characters by rosaleighwrites

2. And baby makes three. by rosaleighwrites

3. Welcome to LA by rosaleighwrites

Meet my cast of characters by rosaleighwrites

Sophia Beatrix Lenore Carmichael

Sophia Beatrix Lenore Carmichael

 

Justin Randall Timberlake

Justin Randall Timberlake

 

Charlotte Eleanor Adeline Carmicheal

Charlotte Eleanor Adeline Carmicheal

 

Alina Harriet Catrina Carmichael-Ayala

Alina Harriet Catrina Carmichael-Ayala

 

Trace Juan Ayala

Trace Juan Ayala

 

Theodore William Winston Ayala

Theodore William Winston Ayala

 

Kenton Charles Davison Whitney

Kenton Charles Davison Whitney

 

Courtland Donaghan Patrick Ford

Courtland Donaghan Patrick Ford

 

Jessica Claire Biel

Jessica Claire Biel 

End Notes:
Here comes the first chapter!!
And baby makes three. by rosaleighwrites
Author's Notes:

Hope you enjoy!!

 


 

"This has got to be some sort of sick joke," Sophia blurted out in the heat of the moment, something quite out of character for her. Her wide hazel eyes looked across the mahogany table worriedly, boring into the face of her older sister Alina's lawyer, Ronald Jones. She felt a hand land on hers in reassurance and looked to her left and into the eyes of her younger sister, Charlotte.

 

"S, calm down, let him finish," Charlotte hushed her supportively.

 

"Miss Carmichael, I understand your concern, but I assure you, both Alina and Trace were both very, very clear when they wrote their will. In the event of their death, custody and guardianship of Theodore is to go to both you and Mr. Timberlake," Ronald told her firmly, casting a glance to Justin as he spoke his name, not blind to the fact that the young man had yet to react to this life-changing news. "In the event that neither of you are married, they request that the two of you occupy the same residence in order to create a stable home environment for Theodore. If you become married, custody will be split jointly, as if you are divorced. If one party seeks to give sole custody to the other, it is permitted." Ronald waited for a moment, gauging the reaction of the two parties in question before continuing, "However, I want to mention the absolute insistence Alina and Trace felt in regards to you both parenting the child."

 

When neither Sophia nor Justin spoke, Charlotte decided to voice her questions, "Mr. Jones," she began, a placate smile on her face, "Ronald, I'm sure you're aware that Sophia and Justin live on opposite sides of the country. How are we to rectify that, um, situation?" she questioned carefully.

 

He nodded, "It's up to Miss Carmichael and Mr. Timberlake to decide living arrangements. I'm not opposed to you two keeping up two residences, but I assure you, we will be checking in to confirm that the three of you are living under one roof together, do you understand?"

 

Sophia pushed a espresso colored lock of hair behind her ear, glancing to her right at Justin before turning back to Ronald and nodding.

 

"Yes sir," Justin said quietly, speaking up for the first time.

 

"Good, I'm glad we are all on the same page. Now I have a letter for each of the three of you from Alina and Trace. I want to tell all of you that I'm truly sorry for you loss, and that it's been my pleasure working and assisting the Ayala's. And Sophia and Justin, I know the situation you've been put in isn't going to be easy for you, and they knew that as well. But I've never seen two people so sure of the fact that you were the best people to raise their child in the case of their absence. They spoke so highly of each of you, and had complete faith in their decision. I just thought that you should know this." With that said, Ronald folded up his leather portfolio and grabbed his briefcase. "Charlotte, Sophia, Justin," he nodded at each of them, "again, I'm so sorry for your loss."

 

As the door shut behind him on his way out, the three sat in the room in silence, none knowing what to say. Minutes had passed before Charlotte took a deep breath and broke the ice, "You know, not talking isn't going to make this situation any easier." Her chocolate colored eyes went back and forth between Sophia and Justin, both of whom were looking into their laps.

 

"I'm sorry," Sophia apologized gently, "for saying that this was a sick joke." Her gaze looked up to catch Justin's briefly. "It makes sense that Trace had complete faith in you."

 

"And Alina in you," he offered.

 

A small smile appeared on Charlotte's face as she watched the small ‘truce' between the two.

 

"This is all so surreal," Sophia's head fell, her hand reaching up to wipe a stray tear from her eye. "Three days ago we had our sister, you had your best friend, and Theo had his parents. And today, all he has are the three of us."

 

Charlotte scooted closer to her sister, wrapping a comforting arm around her shoulders, "And you know what?"

 

She looked up, "Hmm?"

 

"Alina and Trace never needed anyone but us either. When our parents didn't approve of them, she didn't let it faze her. She knew that all the people she needed in her life would be there. Me, you, Justin, and Trace."

 

"She's right, you know?" Justin spoke quietly, looking up to meet both of their gazes.

 

Charlotte kissed her sister's temple gently, "I'm going to leave the two of you alone to discuss this in private. Kenton and I will take Theo back to your apartment. Meet us there whenever you're through?"

 

Sophia nodded, "Thanks Charlie," she told her sister.

 

"Of course, take your time," Charlotte responded, giving Justin a polite nod on her way out.


 

Once they were alone a short silence engulfed them before Justin took the reins of the conversation, "Look Soph, I know shit is all sorts of messed up between us. I wish I could go back and change all of that, but we both know that we can't turn back time. If it's worth anything now, I'm sorry. So sorry for running away like I did. It wasn't you, or anything you did. It was that world you live in. I was scared of never being good enough--for you, your parents, or that society," he finished, the last word with a hint of disdain.

 

"For what it's worth, I wish you'd have just told me those things. Voiced to me why you felt uncomfortable. I know that it was hard dealing with all the stuffiness and the drama that comes with being in New York society, all the rules and traditions, and the pure bullshit drama you end up in. But just up and leaving like you did, it wasn't fair."

 

"I guess I just thought that since Alina got away from it all, then you could too--give it up for me like she did for Trace. And when you wouldn't, I felt like I didn't have any other option."

 

"Our parents had already lost one daughter; I couldn't do it to them again. And as stuffy and fake as it gets sometimes, it's my life. It's all I've ever known. I guess I felt that you should've been willing to compromise."

 

He ran a hand over his short, cropped hair, "I'm surprised they showed up to the funeral."

 

She paused for a moment, biting her lip as she thought about her parents, "Part of me is too. The other part of me knows that they felt obligated to. It would've looked bad if they hadn't, heartless if they'd skipped the funeral of their eldest child. They're not bad people, you know. They're just...," she searched for the word, "old-fashioned. Set in their ways, in tradition."

 

Justin sighed, "Let's not talk about them. You want to get out of here? This room is making me feel claustrophobic."

 

"Yeah sure." She stood slowly from her chair, grasping the letter from her sister gingerly. "I'm almost scared to read this. I'm pretty sure after I do reality will set in."

 

He pulled the large door open for her, "I know exactly what you mean."


 

Twenty minutes later the two were walking along the street sipping on coffee for him and cappuccino for her.

 

"So how have things been?" Sophia asked carefully, raising the cup to her lips.

 

"They've been pretty good. Up until three days ago things were the same, the usual, you know?"

 

She pursed her lips, nodding.

 

"Alina mentioned you'd taken your place in the family business. I actually stayed at The Carmichael while I was in Manila this past summer."

  

"And?" she raised her eyebrows in question at him.

 

"It was amazing, very impressive; you did a great job with it," he said honestly.

 

"I've got Paris opening up in late 2012," she remarked evenly, thinking about the lavish hotel plans she'd been mulling over just days before Alina and Trace's accident.

 

"I hadn't heard. Where abouts?"

 

"It used to be the Hotel Majestic. It's on Avenue Kleber just off the Arc de Triomphe on the Champs Elysées."

 

"I always knew you'd be amazing when it was time for you to take over."

 

"Thanks; that's means a lot coming from someone with so much success."

 

"It should mean a lot just because it's me," he said thoughtfully, almost with a hint of sadness.

 

As she looked up and caught his intense stare, she felt compelled to change the subject, "So what should we do about our living situation? We need to make a plan."

 

Justin sighed, recognizing that he'd obviously made her uncomfortable, "How flexible are you? We should establish that first."

 

"For the next few months we're finishing up the logistics and financials of the Paris project, so I can bring my work with me, and work via Satellite with New York and Paris."

 

He nodded, "And after that?"

 

"We've started looking in Monaco for a real estate opportunity for the next hotel. Depending on how things are going with raising Theo, maybe at that point I'll appoint a Chief Operating Officer. I want to be able to be there for him the way Alina would have been."

 

Nodding again, he took a sideways glance at her. The sad look in her eyes made him want to hug her, hold her, and assure her that everything was going to be okay. But he couldn't. It'd been too long, he'd hurt her too much, and everything wasn't okay-Alina and Trace were gone.

 

"Let me be clear Justin; I do not want to reside in Los Angeles permanently. I think we should spend some of the time here. This is where Alina grew up, and whether or not you want to believe it, the City was special to her. Theo should experience that too," her voice did not waver as she spoke.

 

"I understand. We'll split our time. How does that sound?"

 

"It sounds like a very grown up decision of us," she offered him a small smile, revealing her straight white teeth.

 

"Our first of many." They walked in silence for a moment before Justin verbalized his worries, "I hate to admit it, but I'm totally freaked out. I don't know anything about kids, do you?"

 

She shrugged, "Theo's really the only baby I've ever been around. I love him, and I know you do too, so that's all that matters. He needs us. Anyways, Alina and Trace had no clue about kids before they had him either, and they turned out to be good parents."

 

"Parents," he repeated her. "So that's what we are now, huh?"

 

"Looks that way superstar."


 

 

End Notes:
What did you think?? Let me know!! Reviews please!!
Welcome to LA by rosaleighwrites
Author's Notes:
Hope you guys enjoy :)

 

 

“I’m really sorry about the photographers Soph,” Justin said quietly as he slid out of the front seat of their chauffeured Range Rover. She was already at work unbuckling Theodore from his car seat, and he noticed her pursed lips and concentrated stare, and in an instant he knew that she was upset.

  

Sophia sighed, securing Theo in her arms protectively, “Maybe we should discuss some alternate living options until this whole ‘Pop star becomes a daddy’ story dies down.”

  

“You want me to move?”

  

“Not for good, but maybe we could stay at the penthouse in the hotel until things get a little less crazy around here. The hotel has 24 hour security, and the paps have to maintain a 100 yard perimeter.”

  

Lifting Theo’s diaper bag onto his shoulder, he led the way into the house, pausing to hold the door open for his ex-girlfriend and his best friend’s infant child. “If that’s what you want, we can stay there for a little while.”

  

Sophia smiled genuinely, “Thank you Justin.”

  

He watched as she sat primly on his couch, as she’d done countless times before, this time balancing Theo on her slender knees, bouncing him lightly, and causing him to giggle uncontrollably. “You’re good with him,” he commented as he looked on.

  

“Than—,” she began to say, but was cut off by another voice entering the room.

  

“J!!” the girl squealed, running up to him and kissing his lips. “I didn’t know you were home!!”

  

Jessica Biel. Sophia knew the girl from magazines and maybe had even seen a movie or two she’d been in. Not worthy of remembering the title, that’s for damn sure.

  

Sophia looked away from the embraced, but listened as he greeted her. “Hey Jess. What’re you doing here?”

  

“I got back a few days ago so I grabbed a bag of stuff from my place and came on over. I wasn’t sure when you’d be back, so I just waited. So sorry I couldn’t make it to the funeral baby,” she cooed like a child, “I just couldn’t possibly get away.”

  

Sophia noticed Justin didn’t respond immediately, so instead she took the opportunity to stand up. Supporting Theo with one arm, she smoothed out the skirt of her Marc Jacobs dress before sticking her hand out to the woman. “Hello, you must be Jessica.” The moment that Jess’s eyes locked with Sophia’s own, she knew that she’d caught the girl by surprise. Justin had obviously not revealed what had gone on in New York. In fact, she wondered if he’d spoken to her at all while he’d been there.

  

Jessica extended her hand cautiously once she detached herself from Justin, and with a slight nod she responded, “And you are?”

  

Sophia did not miss the ice in her tone as she spoke the few words. “Sophia Carmichael.” She let the recognition wash over the girl before turning her attention to Justin. “Justin, I’m going to have Mike take Theodore and I over to the hotel so you can…” she hesistated, “um, do whatever you have to do here.”

  

Justin stuttered, obviously uncomfortable with having his old girlfriend and current one in the same room together, “Uh, yeah, okay. That sounds good.” He seemed to gain his bearings, “Theo’s bags are still in the car right?”

  

Sophia nodded, “I’ve got everything I need.”

  

He walked over to the two briefly, placing a kiss on Theo’s head and capturing Sophia’s gaze, “I’ll see you guys in a bit okay?”

  

“Take your time; just ask for the Carmichael Penthouse Suite when you get there.”

  

“What? Get where?” Jessica asked, confused, but Sophia didn’t stay long enough to hear the answer. She was out the door in a flash.

  

Back inside, Justin was attempting to gather his thoughts. He hadn’t expected Jessica to be at his house when they arrived. Hell, he had no idea where she was for the past week. Her cell went unanswered, and he’d had no word from her since the day he left.

  

“Justin, what the hell is going on? Why is she here?” she threw a nasty glance at the door Sophia had long since disappeared through.

  

“Jessica, I tried calling all week. Where the hell have you been?” he asked, frustrated.

  

“I was working Justin. You know that.”

  

“And your cell?”

  

“Look Justin, it’s been a tough week. I don’t need the third degree. I was working, bottom line. Drop it.”

  

“A tough week Jess?” his voice was calm at first, but escalated, “You’ve had a tough week?! I buried my best friend in the world and his wife this week. I became a parent this week Jessica. And you think the filming of some low budget, straight to DVD romantic comedy gave you a tough week?”

  

Her mouth fell open in shock, “I can’t believe you just said that to me.”

  

“Jesus Jessica, stop thinking about yourself for once!!” he screamed, grabbing his suitcase and storming up the stairs.

  

As he stood in his room, tossing his dirty laundry from his suitcase into the laundry hamper, he quickly repacked the bag with fresh clothes. Even when he noticed her standing in the doorway he refused to look up.

  

“Look Justin, I’m sorry. I apologize for not keeping in touch this week—I guess I wasn’t sure how to deal with it if you needed someone to talk to. I wouldn’t know what to say.”

  

“Sometimes it’s not about saying the right thing Jess, it’s just about being there when someone you love needs them. It’s support.”

  

“So what happened in New York?” she asked, wondering mostly why his ex-girlfriend—his incredibly fancy, gorgeous ex-girlfriend was just sitting in his living room. She wouldn’t tell him that’s what she was referring to mostly—she was already on thin ice.

  

“They gave custody of Theodore to Sophia and I. Together.”

  

“What do you mean ‘together’?”

  

“As in we have to reside under one roof. And that roof is going to be over at the Carmichael Beverly Hills until this whole thing dies down. The press is hounding the house.”

  

“Wait, wait, wait a minute. You two are going to be living together? You and your ex-girlfriend are going to be playing house?”

  

“Jess, you know it’s not like that. This is for Theo.” He watched as she threw her arms up in the air. “Oh, if it’s for Theo then, by all means. Go live in some hotel suite with your rich, designer dressed, tight ass of an ex-girlfriend!!”

  

“Jessica, stop!! God, grow up. This is what Trace and Alina wanted for their child. Who am I to go against the one thing they asked of me?"

  

“Are you punishing me?” she asked in a low tone. “For not coming to New York? For not being there for you?”

  

He zipped up the suitcase quickly, lifting it off the bed with ease and moving towards where she stood. Looking directly in her eyes he told her, “Not everything is about you Jessica.” And then, without another word, he made his exit.

 

   


 

  

Sitting in the library of the hotel suite, Sophia finally allowed herself to relax—the first time in days it felt like. Her mind was racing at all hours of the day, trying to organize the tasks of raising Theodore, moving cross country, and finally, attempting to dissect the situation that’d brought Justin back into her life. Two years ago he’d been so central in her life that she could barely imagine living without him. And then, one day, he was gone. The pressure of New York Society had outweighed his love for her it seemed, and when faced with the choice of her family or him, she simply couldn’t make a decision. So Justin took it into his own hands and decided for her. It wasn’t that she didn’t love him—in fact, if she was really honest with herself, she still harbored deep feelings for him. But at that point in time, her older sister Alina had just stepped out of her role as heir to the family business, and estranged herself from her parents to marry Trace. Sophia couldn’t do that to them again; it would’ve destroyed them.

 

 

  

 

 

Justin stood at the cracked door of the suite library unannounced and unseen, and took the moment to watch her. If it was even possible, she’d gotten even more beautiful in the past two years. Her long chestnut hair fell in her signature loose waves around her shoulders, porcelain skin glowing as usual, her delicate frame—she reminded him of a doll. She was always dressed to the nines—that much hadn’t changed, but she was more serious than he remembered. I suppose that was the effect of the past, of the recent loss of her sister, and the gain of this overwhelming new responsibility. His heart ached a bit as he continued to watch her, her eyes closing as she leaned her head back in her chair. She looked stressed, which he knew to be true. He raised a hand and knocked lightly on the door, “Soph?” He watched as her pretty brown eyes fluttered open, turning to glance in his direction.

  

“Oh hey,” Sophia responded, sitting up a bit straighter, “I didn’t know you were here yet.”

  

He cleared his voice, “Just got here actually. Checked on Theo just a few minutes ago and he’s still sleeping.”

  

“Oh thanks. How’d it go with Jessica?”

  

“It was…it was interesting. Didn’t expect much, so her reaction wasn’t surprising,” Justin told her carefully, walking over to where she sat.

  

“Are things okay between you two?”

  

“I don’t really know. I didn’t know you knew Jessica and I were dating.”

  

“Alina mentioned it a few times.”

  

Justin nodded, “Are you seeing anyone?”

  

“I am. Courtland Ford, I’m not sure if you know him.”

  

“I’ve heard the name before,” he said in recognition. “How long have you two been together?”

  

“About a year, give or take a bit.”

  

“And his reaction to this whole situation?” he wondered.

  

“To be honest, he wanted to get married.”

  

“What? Really?” Justin felt like he’d been punched in the stomach.

  

“Yes, but I quickly put an end to that line of thinking.”

  

“Oh good. I mean, if that’s what you want it’s good,” he stumbled, obviously relieved.

  

Sophia laughed lightly, “I don’t want to get married, so yes, it’s good.”

  

“Married ever? Or to him?”

  

Sophia was surprised he asked the question, and wasn’t sure how to answer. Honestly, the only man that she had ever pictured herself marrying was Justin—but she wouldn’t let him know that; nor the fact that the idea of marrying Courtland scared her to no end. That union had the potential of becoming distinctly similar to that of her parents, and that notion made her sick to her stomach. “I want to get married eventually. To who is still a mystery,” she responded simply.

  

He wasn’t sure how to feel about her answer, and he wondered if she’d ever thought about marrying him. He’d surely imagined it all the time back then. The sound of a cry coming from the baby monitor beside her interrupted his thoughts.

  

Sophia stood up quickly at the sound of Theodore.

  

“I’ll get him,” Justin assured her. “You relax.”

  

“Are you sure?”

  

“Positive.”

 

 

Maybe this whole co-parenting wouldn’t be as hard as they thought.

 


 

 

End Notes:
Reviews would be nice :)
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1922