Without Reservation by Whit1210
Summary:

For my Secret Santa, sChErZo!  Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

For her, he was an unexpected hotel guest.  For him, she was an unexpected Christmas companion...


Categories: Challenges, Completed Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: *NSYNC Fiction Secret Santa 2010
Challenges: *NSYNC Fiction Secret Santa 2010
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 2934 Read: 6333 Published: Dec 30, 2010 Updated: Dec 30, 2010

1. Without Reservation by Whit1210

2. Not So Alone by Whit1210

3. Nothing Else Will Do by Whit1210

Without Reservation by Whit1210

He shivered as his dress shoes crunched in the fresh snow, making his way to the entryway of the large cape-cod styled inn that stood before him.  He turned the handle of the large glass front door, taking a moment to wipe the snow off of his shoes before entering in.  His eyes wandered around the lobby, which was lit almost entirely by tree lights and candles but seemed to be completely deserted.  He carried his luggage over to the front desk, peering around for any sign of another person.  He was about to ring the bell that sat on the desk when he heard a slight rustling noise coming from the large den that was adjacent to the lobby.  He followed the noise and stopped when he saw the branches of the large Christmas tree shaking.  He knitted his brow with confusion until he spotted a young woman on a ladder, adjusting the garland on the tree. 

“Hello?” he asked.  Her back was to him and she seemed to be intently focused on the task at hand, without even hearing him.  “Excuse me?”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said, her cheeks reddening slightly, as she turned around.  “I didn’t hear you come in.”

“That’s alright,” he said, gently. 

“I was just trying to fix the beads.  They slid down and now the tree is off balance,” she said as she leaned over, her right hand reaching out to delicately realign the strands of beads on the tree branches.  “There,” she said, with satisfaction as she lowered herself down off the step-ladder and crossed her arms as she gazed up at the tree.

“That is a very nice tree,” he said, eyeing the ten-foot tree that stood in the middle of the large room. 

Her eyes wandered over to him, sparking with interest after recognizing him.  What was Justin Timberlake doing spending Christmas Eve at this inn on Nantucket?

“Welcome to the White Rose,” she said, giving him a warm smile as she made her way back over to the front desk.  He slowly followed behind her.  “Now, how can I assist you?”

He leaned his arms against the desk with exhaustion, “Just checking in,” he said, unbuttoning his winter coat and loosening the scarf around his neck.   

“Alright, what name is your reservation under?” she asked as she clicked the keys of her computer furiously.  She was positive there was no Timberlake reservation in the system, so he must be using some sort of an alias. 

He paused for a minute, scratching his chin.  His eyes squinted in concentration, but he said nothing. 

She looked up at him curiously.  “You did have a reservation?”

He nodded, “Yes.  I’m just trying to remember, I think…the reservations should be under the name…Randall?  Yes, yes, Randall…” he said, blushing with embarrassment.

She smiled at him as she looked back down and referenced the computer once again.  She stopped for a moment and then brought a hand to her cheek.  “Ohh…”

He brought his hands together, interlocking his fingers nervously.  “Ohh?”

 “It says here that the Randall reservations for two were cancelled three days ago on the twenty-first,” she said, biting her lower lip. 

He sucked in his breath, “Oh, right.  Of course she did.”

She tucked her hair behind hear ear nervously.  “Well, we still do have the suite available.  You can have the room.  It’s no trouble at all.”

He nodded, reaching for his wallet out of his pant pocket. “That’ll be fine.”

After swiping his credit card, she handed it back to him along with his room key.  “Alright, you’ll want to head down that hallway,” she motioned behind him, “And take the stairs to the third floor.  You’ll be in suite 3C.”

  He smiled at her kindness, “Thank you.  What did you say your name was?”

She grinned, “I didn’t say my name.  But you can call me Jaz.”

“Nice to meet you Jaz, I’m-“

“-Randall, right?” she said, her eyes glimmering with a touch of sarcasm. 

He laughed sheepishly, “You can call me Justin.”

She nodded, “Merry Christmas Justin.”

 “Thanks,” he said, pulling the handle on his suitcase as he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket.

Not So Alone by Whit1210

Jaz stood with her arms crossed for warmth as she watched the snowfall.  There was already about ten inches on the ground and the snow was supposed to accumulate through Christmas afternoon.  She had resigned herself to spending the night at the inn, not daring to brave the roads in this weather to then return for her early morning shift.  While most preferred to request this time of year off from work, she was looking forward to spending the holiday at the Inn.  The inclement weather had led to an early closing of the dining room and the bar, but at this point all guests that had kept reservations had checked in and most had retired for the evening.  Jaz slipped into the back office, changing into sweats and pulling her hair into a ponytail.  After leaving a sign that read, “Ring bell for service,” she took her laptop and the cordless phone from the front desk and headed down the hall back to the den. 

**

Once Justin had made it to his room, he plopped his luggage on a nearby chair and lay down on the bed, with his head resting on his hands.  His recent breakup had been a long time coming, but he had found himself completely unprepared for being alone for the holidays.  Their original plan had been for a romantic retreat for a traditional New England Christmas.  Normally, he would have given it all up and headed home for a Southern Christmas with his family.  If there was one thing driving Justin, it was his determination and he was determined to enjoy his Christmas without her the same way he had pictured it, rather than return home and accept defeat.  He glanced at his watch, noting that it was nearing 11:30 p.m. and reached for his phone, knowing his mother would be expecting a Merry Christmas phone call from him the moment it struck midnight on the East Coast.  He clicked her number to dial, tapping his finger impatiently as his phone seemed to have lost its signal.  He started to roam around the suite, seeing if he was able to retrieve any bars in various spots:  by the window, in the bathroom, by the door.  No such luck.  He sighed as he slipped his room key into his pocket and made his way back down the hallway, seeing if he could find a signal in time. 

**

Jaz sat in the den, enjoying the warmth of the fire and the glow of the Christmas tree lights.  The snowfall outside had remained constant, with a strong wind blowing.  She had been flipping channels on the television, trying to decide on which Christmas movie to settle with.  She found It’s A Wonderful Life and left it on as her eyes wandered back to the large Christmas tree, studying the various ornaments.  At the first sign of noise, her eyes drifted back to the hallway, seeing Justin trot by.  He passed by the door, but then made his way back, poking his head into the room. 

“Hey Jaz,” he smiled.

She smiled back, “Hi Justin.”

“Do you know, I’m having trouble getting a signal on my phone.  Where would be my best shot at getting a couple bars?”

“I would say, try the library – it’s all the way down the hall to your right.  If not, you could certainly use the concierge phone to make a call.”

He thanked her with a nod and headed towards the library at the end of the hall.

She still found it curious that he was spending Christmas at the inn, but rather than let her mind wander about him she diverted her attention back to the movie.  It was now 11:57 p.m. and she kept her eyes on the clock, a silent countdown in her mind.  Her thoughts were interrupted as he walked back into the den. 

“Jaz, do you think I could use that phone?  My cell is getting no signal.”

She nodded, handing him the cordless phone from the coffee table.  “Sure, no problem.”  The grandfather clock started to chime, indicating that it was midnight. 

“Oh and Jaz,” he said, his eyes searching her face for a moment. 

She looked back up from the movie, “Yes?”

“Merry Christmas,” he said with a wink, as he headed back down the hall.

“Merry Christmas, Justin.”

**

“I’m still not sure why you’re doing this, honey.”

He sighed as he heard his mother’s Southern drawl on the other end of the phone.  “Mom, this is just something I needed to do for me.  Don’t worry, I’ll be home in a few weeks and we’ll spend a good long while together.”

“I know, I know.  We hadn’t planned on you being here this year, anyway, but it still feels a little empty without your company.  So, what are you up to there?  Are you all alone?”

He paused.  “Well, the snowstorm is in full swing so things are pretty quiet here, but it’s beautiful outside.”

“Alright, Justin.  Please just promise me you won’t be all alone all Christmas weekend.  Christmas is about spending time with family and friends – it won’t be Christmas if you’re by yourself all weekend.”

“I won’t be Mom, don’t worry.  Give everyone my best.  Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas, Son.”

As he clicked the phone off, he found his mother’s words echoing in his mind.  She was right.  Spending Christmas alone was not his best laid plan, but he just wanted to do something different this holiday.  He headed back down the hall, to return the phone to Jaz.

His eyes wandered to the television.  “It’s A Wonderful Life, huh?  A Christmas classic.”

“It’s just about to end,” she said, noting the hint of disappointment in his facial expression.  “But, I was planning on watching Love Actually next.  Would you like to join me?  I know it’s a chick flick but…”

He smiled, “That would be nice.  Besides, Christmas is as good a time as any for chick flicks.”

“Do you want anything to drink?  Or eat?  I was thinking of getting something before putting the movie on,” she offered, standing up.

“Isn’t the bar closed?” he asked.

“Ah yes, but as it turns out…I happen to know someone who works here,” she said playfully.  “Follow me.”

The two headed over to the bar.  She opened the slat door and slid behind the bar, while he slipped onto one of the leather stools.

“So, what’ll it be, Sir?” she asked, motioning to the large selection of assorted liquors behind her on the bar shelf.

“Gee, I don’t know.  I guess I’ll have whatever you’re having.”

“Hot chocolate it is then,” Jaz said, turning her back to him to reach for two mugs. 

He raised his eyebrow, “Hot chocolate?  I was thinking more along the lines of something with a bit of a kick to it, if you will.”

“This is no ordinary hot chocolate,” she said, giving him a mischievous look as she reached for the bottle of Bailey’s. 

“Ohh,” he smiled with a touch of excitement, “Then yes, I shall have the Jaz special.”

She smiled as she mixed the two mugs and then placed them on a tray.  “Be right back,” she said, slipping through the back door to the kitchen. 

He reached for his mug, cautiously bringing the hot liquid to his lips.  He took a sip and then sighed heavily.  It was delicious and tasted like Christmas.  Not so alone on Christmas, after all

 Jaz returned with a plate of Christmas cookies.  “Santa left a few for us stragglers,” she joked as she placed the plate on the tray.  “Like it?” she asked, motioning to the mug in his hands.

“It’s delicious,” he smiled, “Thank you.”  He took the tray from her hands and the two headed back to the den.

**

“Should I add a few logs to the fire?” he asked, looking at the fizzling fire.

“That would be great.”

He pulled the screen back, placing two more logs on to the fire and then replacing the screen.  The fire hissed a little, as it roared and met the cold air coming down the chimney.  As it began to crackle once more, he returned to his place next to Jaz on the sofa.

“Oh, this is my favorite part,” she said, as Keira Knightley’s character appeared on the screen.  She began to speak aloud, in sync with the lines of the film.  “But for now, let me say –“

Justin joined in, much to her surprise.  “Without hope or agenda, just because it’s Christmas.”

She looked at him, a smile forming on her face once again.  “And at Christmas you tell the truth.” 

He leaned in to her, making eye contact.  “To me you are perfect.”

She elbowed him gently, “Chick flick, shmick flick.  You’ve seen this one once or twice.”

“Alright, it’s a good movie.  There, I said it,” he said, with a light laugh.

She smiled, pretending to turn attention back to the movie.  But her mind was racing with thoughts of Justin and the way his grin was giving her butterflies in her stomach.  She continued to fight off the sleepiness that was overtaking her, not wanting this moment to pass her by.

**

Jaz closed her eyes for a moment, succumbing to the sleep she had been trying to avoid.  She leaned her head gently to the side as she started to fall asleep.  Justin let the movie finish, eyeing her as she slept peacefully on the sofa beside the lights of the Christmas tree.  He considered heading back to his room, but instead stood up and placed a nearby throw blanket over her before making himself comfortable on the other end of the sofa.  He settled in with a blanket of his own and took a bite of another cookie before flicking channels on the television.  He decided to watch A Christmas Story next, a childhood favorite of his. 

**

Jaz awoke, as the sun shone brightly, reflecting off of all the snow on the ground.  She covered her mouth with a yawn as she stretched her arms in the air.  She was startled to find that her companion had fallen asleep beside her on the sofa in the den, expecting him to have headed back to his suite to retire for the evening.  He stirred gently before his eyes gently opened. 

“Good morning,” she said. 

He smiled, “Merry Christmas, Jaz.”

“I suppose I ought to get ready for my shift,” she said with a sigh as she stood up, folding the blanket.

“When does your shift end?” he asked, sitting up.

“I should be off around 2 p.m.”

He nodded.  She headed to the door, but his voice stopped her.

“Hey Jaz?  Thank you for spending Christmas with me.”

She smiled, “Thank you for spending it with me.”

Nothing Else Will Do by Whit1210

Jaz smiled to herself as she took her place back behind the front desk.  Her shift would end in the early afternoon and then she could head home to spend Christmas with the rest of her family.  Thoughts about Justin were swirling around in her head, but she chided herself for being so giddy.  Her mind snapped back to attention as the phone rang. 

“Thank you for calling the White Rose Inn, how may I assist you?”

“Hello there.  I’d like to speak to someone about extending my stay.”

“Absolutely, Sir.  What name is your reservation under?”

 “I suppose it’s under the name Randall,” the voice on the other end of the line said.

“Justin?  Is that you?” she asked, raising her eyebrow. 

He ignored her question, “I’d like to see if it would be possible to extend my stay through January 2nd.”

“January 2nd?” she repeated, with surprise.  She looked up to see Justin walking towards her on his cell-phone. 

“Yes, January 2nd.  As it turns out, there’s something keeping me here through the holidays.”  He grinned at her as he stopped in the middle of the lobby. 

“Oh, really?  What’s that?” she said, a smile tugging at her lips. 

“That girl at the front desk just has just had some sort of an effect on me,” he said with a chuckle as he hung up the phone.

Her eyes widened with excitement as she hung up the desk phone and slowly slid her desk chair out.  She slowly approached him as he stood expectantly, waiting for her. 

“So, what do you say?  Extend my reservations?” he said, opening his arms towards her.

She smiled, “I think that can be arranged.”

“Only on the condition that you take New Year’s Eve off so that you can spend it with me,” he grinned. 

“I think that can also be arranged,” she said, as she stood in front of him.

“So, now there’s only one thing left to do,” he said, his face growing serious.

“What?” she asked, worry in her tone.

He pointed upwards, “Well, we need to obey the bylaws of the mistletoe tradition.”  Her eyes wandered up to the large bundle of mistletoe that hung above them. 

“Well, yes, we wouldn’t want to break a tradition,” she said softly, as she felt one of his arms slowly wrap around her waist.

“Definitely wouldn’t,” he said in a low whisper.

Her heart beat rapidly as she looked into his eyes, the two of them inching closer together.  He leaned in, gently nudging her nose with his as he lowered his lips to hers, his hand cupping her chin.  She closed her eyes and felt his lips meet hers.  As they kissed, she felt the hint of passion flow through her and her cheeks reddened. 

“I guess I could spend New Year’s Eve with you…” she said, with a wink.

He grinned as he slid his arms back around her shoulders.  “Good, because nothing else will do.”

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1966