Looking into the Future by Lew
Summary: JC helps out at a youth center whenever he is in town, usually staying in the background.  But what will happen when a woman strips away his rough exterior and forces him to take a good look at himself?  Or when a young man needs help desparately?  How will JC react?  Will he let them in or just continue to go though the motions of his life?
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 43077 Read: 44996 Published: Mar 05, 2011 Updated: Oct 12, 2011
Story Notes:
I do not own any member of NSYNC.  The other characters have been created in my mind so don't steal them.  Please review and let me know what you think!  Thanks for reading!

1. Chapter 1 by Lew

2. Chapter 2 by Lew

3. Chapter 3 by Lew

4. Chapter 4 by Lew

5. Chapter 5 by Lew

6. Chapter 6 by Lew

7. Chapter 7 by Lew

8. Chapter 8 by Lew

9. Chapter 9 by Lew

10. Chapter 10 by Lew

11. Chapter 11 by Lew

12. Chapter 12 by Lew

13. Chapter 13 by Lew

14. Chapter 14 by Lew

15. Chapter 15 by Lew

16. Chapter 16 by Lew

17. Chapter 17 by Lew

18. Chapter 18 by Lew

19. Chapter 19 by Lew

20. Chapter 20 by Lew

21. Chapter 21 by Lew

22. Chapter 22 by Lew

23. Chapter 23 by Lew

24. Chapter 24 by Lew

25. Chapter 25 by Lew

26. Chapter 26 by Lew

Chapter 1 by Lew

Laura smiled as she walked through the gym listening to the middle and high schoolers having a good time.  She had come across the opportunity to come down and spend some time in Florida, helping with some troubled kids for a month.  She had only been there about a week, but was enjoying herself immensely and getting to know the kids was a wonderful experience. 

The kids were mostly living in foster homes or on probation for getting in some kind of trouble.  The program in the gym was a way to get the kids off the streets and into a safe environment where they were supervised while parents were at work. 

Walking around the basketball game going on, she headed toward a group of boys in the corner.  They had a tendency to get into trouble if they thought no one was watching.  Laura glanced at the kids dancing on the stage, stopping to ask a brief question, but by the time she turned back towards the corner, a fight had broken out. 

Jogging the last few feet, Laura tried to break up the fight between the two boys, who were much larger than she was.  Approaching from behind, she found herself thrown against the stage.  Her arm caught the stage just right and had just enough force from the throw; she felt it snap. 

Falling to her knees, she brought her head down as she tried to catch her breath.  Another one of the volunteers had made it over to the fight by that time and had pulled the boys apart.  Struggling to get back to her feet, she masked the pain on her face. 

Adam, the volunteer who had broken up the fight, turned to Laura and asked, “Are you alright?”

Laura let out a breath before answering, “Yeah, I’m fine.  I want to talk to Brandon here though.”

“Ok, you take Brandon into the office and I’ll take Mike across the hall and we’ll talk.”

Both boys groaned, they knew they were in trouble, but they followed their respective leader grudgingly. 

Laura stepped back to allow Brandon to enter the office first, cradling her arm against her chest.  No one noticed the pain she couldn’t quite hide in her eyes. 

“Back here,” Laura said as she stepped around the front counter.  In the back part of the office were two cubicles the volunteers could use to plan more activities and run the programs that were needed so badly. 

Brandon looked around nervously as Laura circled to sit behind the desk.  “Sit down Brandon,” she said sharply. 

Brandon sank into the chair as Laura rubbed her good hand down her face.  Her broken arm throbbed, but that would wait until she had a chance to talk to Brandon. 

Laura softened her tone as she simply said, “Talk to me, Brandon, what’s going on?”

Brandon looked up at her and didn’t say a word. 

She looked back.  “It’s alright, we are the only ones here, and whatever you tell me stays here.  I want to help you.”

Leaning back in the chair now, she waited him out.  His eyes were darting around the small room, before he started to talk. 

“I didn’t mean it, I really didn’t.  Mike just starts talking and won’t shut up.”

“What’s he talking about?”

“Just sh…stuff.”  He amended when he caught her raised brow.  

Laura waited patiently, but he offered no more information.  She had spent enough time around the two boys to know that Mike had probably tried to pressure Brandon into doing drugs.  Brandon had refused and attacked Mike out of frustration. 

“Have you ever done drugs?”

“What!  No man, I’m clean.  I don’t want o be involved with that.”  He announced.  Laura smiled to herself, drugs were a big no-no to him, but he would steal electronics any day of the week.  At least he had some notion of right and wrong. 

“So why the fight then?”  No response from across the desk.  Laura decided to try another tactic.  Leaning forward, “Brandon, there’s something you should know about me – I don’t like to ask questions, I don’t already know the answer to so if I’m asking, I probably already know the answer.  So I’m going to try one more time, why the fight?”

Silence once again invaded the room.  He wouldn’t meet her eyes.  “Am I kicked out?”

Laura knew she would get no farther this way and with her arm throbbing more with every moment and swelling so that it was pressing against the sleeve of her sweatshirt, she decided to let him go for now.

“Alright, since you don’t want to talk to me, you know what happens to people who get in fights.”  He nodded.  “Kitchen duty for the next week.  We’ll discuss this more later, but for now you need to go find Mike and apologize.  Stay away from each other and Brandon…”  He glanced up.  “Stay away from the drugs and alcohol.  Keep your nose clean and make your mom proud of you….You may go.”

He quickly got up and walked out of the office.  Laura let out a groan after the door closed.  Now that her attention wasn’t being diverted, her broken arm demanded it be taken care of.  I need directions to the nearest hospital.

Slowly getting out of the chair, she walked toward the door, but stopped with a gasp.  She hadn’t realized anyone else was in the room, but JC Chasez had stepped from the cubicle next door.  Laura had known that he supported the facility financially, but had never expected him to actually show up there. 

“Sorry, I couldn’t help but overhear.  By the time I realized what you were doing, I decided I wouldn’t interrupt.  You handled that nicely.”

“I don’t know, it’s very frustrating when they won’t talk to you and let you help them though.” 

“Yeah, I know.  I normally take a backseat to those kinds of things.  I’m all for playing a little basketball or something, but I never know what to say to a kid like that.”

“Well, most of them are just looking for someone to care for them, know that they are not alone.”

“Yeah, well, I just want to say nice job.  I’d better let you get back out there.”  He said as he stepped back from the doorway to let her pass. 

“Actually, can I ask you something real quick?”  Laura hesitated when she saw the brief look of annoyance cross his face.  If she hadn’t been looking so closely, she would have missed it.  “Never mind.”

“No, what?”  He said with a rehearsed smile on his face.  “Let me guess, yes, I am JC and do you have something you want me to sign?”  Laura couldn’t believe his ego.

“Ummm…no thanks, I just – just wanted to know if you could give me directions to the closest hospital.”

He gave an embarrassed laugh.  “What?”

“Never mind, sorry to have disturbed you.”  She said as she stepped around him, once again taking care not to bump her arm.      

“Wait, why do you need the hospital?”  JC lightly grasped her injured arm above the elbow.  She inhaled sharply, pulling away from his grip, gritting her teeth against the sudden pain as she turned her face away from him to hide the sudden wetness in her eyes.  After taking a couple of deep breaths, she turned back, but kept her eyes averted. 

“I tried to break up that fight earlier and am now paying for it.  My arm hurts pretty badly.”  She admitted reluctantly, downplaying the painful arm. 

“Why didn’t you say so earlier?”  He turned and grabbed his jacket off the hook on the wall and put a gentle hand against her back, as he guided her toward the door.  “Let’s get going, do you need to get a purse or anything?”

“No…no, you don’t have to do anything, just give me directions and I’ll find it.”

“No way, I’m not letting you drive with one arm.  Now, purse?”  He looked down at her with a raised brow, opening the door to let her precede him. 

“Its right here, I can get it.”

“OK, then, I’ll meet you at the door.  I just want to tell Adam that we’re leaving.”  He rushed away before she could say anything else. 

Walking outside, Laura rolled her neck, the tension was already settling in her neck.  Closing her eyes, she inhaled deeply.  Hearing the door open behind her, she saw JC shrugging on his jacket as he nodded towards the parking lot. 

“I’m over here.”

“Seriously, you really don’t need to do this.  I don’t mean to take you away from anything.”

“Seriously, I don’t mind.  You shouldn’t have to go to the hospital alone.  Now do you need help getting in?”  He asked as he held the passenger side door open to his SUV. 

Holding her left arm carefully, she stepped into the vehicle and sank down into the seat.  He grabbed the seat belt and leaned in across her to buckle her in.  Shutting her door, he walked quickly around the front to get in his side. 

Starting the car and buckling himself in almost one motion, they were pulling out of the parking lot before Laura could get her bearings. 

“So, you must be new at the center, huh?” 

“Yeah, I’ve been there about a week.  I have about 3 weeks to go before I head back home to Ohio.  Although, I don’t know what will happen now, with this thing.”  She said gesturing with her good arm. 

“Oh, you must have come in with that new program they were trying.”

“Yeah,” she said.  “I’ve got leadership experience with kids and work a lot with these ages of kids so it seemed like a great opportunity to come down and try something new for a month.”

“Are you enjoying it so far?”  He navigated swiftly and confidently through traffic 

“Yeah, I really am.  So many of these kids are just looking for confidence in themselves, you know?”

“Yeah, that’s why the center does such a good job.  They teach these kids that you don’t have to do drugs or sell yourself to make it in this world.”

“Are you there a lot?”

He sighed, “Not as much as I would like to be, but whenever I’m in town I try and stop by and spend a couple of hours, shooting hoops or whatever with the kids.”

“I’m sure they enjoy that.”

“Who knows, at least they pretend to!”  He pulled into the parking lot of the emergency room and parked.  “Stay there, I’ll be around.”

Circling the car, he opened her door and again leaned across to unhook the seat belt.  Grabbing her good right arm, he helped her out and onto the ground.  Shoving the door closed behind them, he kept a hold of her arm as they walked to the ER entrance. 

After checking in, Laura was immediately called back as the ER wasn’t busy.  She hesitated, turning back to JC.  “Would you mind coming back and keeping me company so I don’t have to think about my arm?  You don’t have to…”

He glanced around quickly, “Sure, I can do that.”

The nurse took Laura’s blood pressure and got other important information before taking her to an exam room to wait for a doctor.  Just as they entered the room, JC’s phone rang.  Glancing at the screen, he groaned.  “I’m sorry; I’ve got to take this.  I’ll be right back.”  Stepping out of the room, he answered with a quick hello, his voice fading as he walked down the hall. 

Chapter 2 by Lew

JC finished the call, and walked slowly back to the exam room.  This is not what he wanted to be doing on one of his free days.  JC was doubtful her arm was hurt too badly; she certainly hadn’t acted like it, until she realized whom JC was.  Now he was stuck here until they checked her over and released her and he could take her back to the center. 

With a quick roll of his eyes at how much time was passing and how much he was wasting by not getting anything done, he pushed the curtain back and entered the room. 

“Sorry, I took…what the heck happened to you?”  He finished at an almost shout. 

Laura was sitting in a chair beside the bed.  Her broken arm stretched out before her, cradling her head in her other arm lying on the bed.  A nurse or someone had cut the sleeve of her sweatshirt from her wrist to her shoulder so the bone that had pierced through the skin was clearly visible. 

“What do you mean, ‘what happened to me,’ I told you my arm was hurt, that’s why you brought me to the ER.”  She mumbled against her arm, not raising her head. 

“Yeah, but I thought…”  He hesitated to say he thought she was lying, as she clearly hadn’t been. 

“I know what you thought…Thanks for bringing me, but I can catch a cab back.  I’m sure you have other places you need to be.”  Her head came off the bed to look at him.  Pain filled her eyes that she couldn’t quite hide. 

“No way, I’m not just going to leave you here.”  He sat down, not being able to take looking at the bone poking through the skin anymore. 

The nurse entered the room again, not even looking at JC.  She handed Laura a pill, waited until she put it in her mouth before handing her a glass of water and repeating the process with the second pill. 

“The doctor has looked at your x-rays and will be in shortly to talk with you.”  She had just finished speaking when the doctor entered. 

“Well, Laura you have really done a number on your arm.  Unfortunately, you are going to need surgery to put it back into place and the quicker that happens, the better.  You will also probably need a pin put in to help hold the bone in place.”

JC looked between the doctor and Laura.  How do I get into these situations?  I didn’t even know her name until she told the nurse.  Now I can’t leave her here by herself.  Stop getting involved, JC!

Now watching as Laura bit her lower lip, she said, “Do what you have to do, the sooner the better, I guess.”

“Ok, we’ll get you prepped for surgery after you sign some forms and get you all taken care of.  I’ll see you in a bit.”  The doctor and nurse exited the room leaving JC and Laura alone again. 

***

Laura placed her head back on the bed as she fished in her pocket for her phone.  Without lifting her head, she dialed her parent’s house, forgetting that there was anyone else in the room. 

“Hello.”  Her father answered.

“Hey daddy, what’s going on?”

“Hey Laura, how’s it going in Florida?

“It’s going; the kids are pretty good most of the time.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be working right now?”  He asked.

“That’s what I’m calling about…I tried to break up a fight and ummm…broke my arm.”

“What???  How bad is it?”

“Oh, it’s not too bad...”  Just then, the phone was pulled away from her ear.  She lifted her face, too shocked to say a word. 

JC put the phone to his ear and introduced himself.  “Yeah, I brought your daughter to the ER.  Her arm is pretty bad, they are getting ready to take her into surgery and put a pin in.” 

Laura shot daggers at JC as he talked on her phone to her father. 

“No, I don’t think you need to come down.  I help out at the center and will see that she’s ok and I’ll even get her on a plane to head back home as soon as I can.”

“Yeah…yeah, no problem.”  Laura could only hear one side of the conversation, but she could just imagine what her father was saying. 

After one final “absolutely,” JC disconnected and turned back to Laura. 

“What do you think you were doing?”  Laura demanded, careful not to move her arm. 

“I was giving your dad your honest diagnosis.  From what you were saying, which was nothing, I knew he needed the truth.”

“You had no right!”

“No right?  I’m the one that brought you here, I’m involved now.  You didn’t even tell me how bad it was.  I thought you were lying about your arm.”

“I don’t even know you so why would I tell you anything when you made it perfectly clear you didn’t think I was hurt!  Is your ego really that big that you thought the only reason I ‘faked’ being hurt was to get you to take care of me?”  He froze at her words. 

She closed her eyes and sighed heavily.  “I’m sorry, that was completely uncalled for.  Please just forget I said anything or that you even met me.  Blame it on the pain of my arm.  Thank you for bringing me to the hospital, but you really don’t have to stay.”  She put her head back down on the bed.  It was too heavy to hold up any longer. 

Chapter 3 by Lew

JC’s eyes narrowed as he looked at her lowered head.  Not many people had ever stood up to him like that.  He rubbed his hand over his jaw as he thought about what he should do.  She had told him to go, that she didn’t need him here; but he saw the pain and fear in her eyes from being told she needed to have surgery.    

Rolling his eyes at himself, he slowly sat back in the chair and started bouncing his leg up and down. 

Laura rolled her head to the side so that she could see what he was doing. 

He gave a tight smile to her and said, “I’ll stay until you get through surgery.  I promised your dad I would keep him updated.”

“Thank you.”  Laura said simply as the nurse came back through the door. 

“It’s time to get you ready.  Let’s get you on the bed and upstairs where they will prep you for surgery and fix you arm.  How does that sound?”  The nurse kept talking, explaining the procedure as she helped Laura brace her arm so she could lie down on the bed. 

JC sat there watching the proceedings quietly.  Finally after getting Laura settled, she turned to JC and said, “Sir, if you can hang on to her personal items and follow us, I’ll show you to a waiting room and someone will let you know when the surgery is done so you can be with your girlfriend again.”

JC and Laura spoke over themselves in their haste to correct her assumptions. 

“No, he’s not… he just brought me to the ER.”

“We’re not dating, we just met.  I just want to make sure she gets through surgery alright.”

The nurse’s eyebrows rose at their vehement argument.  “Sorry, I just thought you could be a cute couple.”  Then, all business again, “If you will just follow us, sir, I’ll show you where you can wait.” 

***

Glancing up at the clock for the hundredth time, JC again thought of all that he wasn’t getting done sitting here in the hospital waiting room.  How long does it take to set an arm anyway?  Throwing the magazine he wasn’t reading on to the table in front of him, he cracked his knuckles as the door opened to the waiting room. 

A doctor in scrubs walked in and noticed he was the only one in the room.  “Are you here for Laura?”

“Uh, yeah.  How did the surgery go?”

“Fine, the bone has been set, we didn’t have to place a pin, we were able to set the bone without it.  Laura has a cast on her arm and is still sedated, but you can see her if you would like.  As soon as she wakes up, she can be released.  However, she shouldn’t be alone over the next 24 – 48 hours in case she has a reaction to the sedation.  Does she live alone?”

“I don’t know, but I’ll make sure someone stays with her.” 

Shaking JC’s hand, the doctor told him that a nurse would be in to let him know which room shortly.  Great, now what do I do?  JC was pretty sure that all the program people who came in to assist stayed at a long-term hotel.  He couldn’t just dump her there and leave.  Giving a frustrated sigh, he dialed her parent’s number to give them an update after surgery. 

After reassuring her father that he would see to it Laura wouldn’t be alone, he followed the nurse to where Laura was waiting in recovery.  The nurse turned to JC after getting him a chair and told him it wouldn’t be long until Laura was awake.  “Did the doctor talk to you about the next 48 hours?”

“Yeah, he said she shouldn’t be alone.”

“This kind of sedation can cause confusion and dizziness.  It’s important that someone be with her in case that happens.  If it does, bring her immediately back to the ER.  Are you the one who will be with her?”

JC cleared his throat as he saw his plans for the next couple of days falling through.  Shifting in his seat, he simply nodded his head. 

At his nod of agreement, the nurse started listing off instructions for Laura’s care and medication.  “I’m going to go ahead and give you her prescription so you won’t have to fill that on your way home.  Now do you have any questions?”

“No, you’ve been very helpful, thank you.”  Before leaving, the nurse told him to press the call button once Laura awoke. 

Alone in the room with Laura, he glanced around at the plain walls before turning his attention to the woman lying on the bed.  Her face was almost as pale as the sheets.  Her long lashes a stark contrast against her white face.  She wasn’t beautiful in a classic sense, but her features were attractive. 

Rolling his neck, he rested his head against the back of the chair and closed his eyes. 

***

Laura’s eyelids felt heavy as she came back into consciousness.  She could hear heavy breathing from somewhere close by.  Forcing her eyelids open, she blinked to clear away the fuzziness.  Looking down, she noticed her arm was in a cast and everything came rushing back.  Moving her head to the side, she noticed JC sitting next to the bed asleep. 

Just then, the nurse entered the room.  “Good you’re awake.  How do you feel?”  Her voice woke JC who licked his lips and stretched. 

“Better than I was.”  Laura replied. 

“Are you dizzy at all or feel sick?”

“No, I’m fine.  Ready to get out of here!”

The nurse laughed, “That’s what everyone says, it must be my glowing personality that makes everyone want to leave.  I’ve given your prescription for pain and instructions to this kind gentleman here so he’ll take good care of you.  As soon as we get you dressed, you will be free to go.”

“I’ll step out for a minute; let me know when you’re ready to leave.”

Quickly and carefully dressing to avoid bumping her injured arm, she thanked the nurse again and stepped into the hall.  JC was holding the wall up, but stood to his full height when he saw her. 

“Ready?”

“Yeah, thanks for waiting.”

“Not a problem.”

They walked silently to his vehicle where he held the door for her and again helped her buckle her seatbelt.  He concentrated on his driving while she looked out at the darkening city. 

“Hey, wasn’t that the road back to the center?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you going to turn around?”

“No.”

“Then where are you taking me?”  She said in exasperation.

“My house.”

“What??!! Why?”

“They said you couldn’t be alone for the next 48 hours and I told them I would look after you.”

“I’m fine, I don’t need looking after.  I’m sure you have better things to do.”

“It’s fine.  I made a promise and I don’t break my promises.”

She turned away from him in a huff.  She didn’t even know him and he was taking her back to his house.

“Look, this may not be the ideal situation, but I just want to make sure you’re alright.  Let’s make the best of this, ok?”

Laura studied his profile in the darkness of the car.  “Thank you.”  If he tried anything, all she had to do would be to hit him over the head with the hardness of her cast.

Chapter 4 by Lew

JC gave Laura a brief tour of the house, showing her the enormous kitchen and living room, before taking her to one of the guest rooms on the second floor with the attached bath.  His house wasn’t what she expected it to be.  It looked comfortable, as if he spent a lot of time there, it wasn’t a show place, it was homey. 

“If you need any clothes or any thing, check the closet.  This is where my sister stays when she’s here and you’re about the same size.  Make yourself at home.  Do you need anything?”

“Could you help me wrap my arm?  I’d like to take a shower, if you don’t mind.”

“Yeah, I can do that.  Let me grab a trash bag and some rubber bands and I’ll be right back.”

She sat on the bed, while she waited for him to gather the supplies.  This bedroom was decorated in soft rose tones with a lot of lace.  The room was beautiful.  JC hustled back in, breaking into her thoughts. 

“Ok, lift your arm up.  I’ll try not to bump it.”

“This is a beautiful room.”

“Thanks, my sister loves it, it suits her perfectly.”

“There, all set anything else?”  Laura shook her head no.  “Then I’ll be down in the living room or in the studio downstairs, come on down if you want and I’ll make you something to eat.”

“Ok, thank you.”

***

After dressing and removing the wet trash bag, she took a brush through her long locks and headed downstairs to get a glass of water.  She wasn’t hungry, but was very thirsty.  Pausing on the last step, she heard JC on the phone from the living room. 

His voice was low, but she could plainly hear the words that he spoke.  “Yeah, man I need to cancel for the next couple of days.”

He laughed, “No I got stuck with this woman from the center.  She fell and broke her arm so now I have to take care of her until I can ship her back out to where she belongs…yeah, a huge inconvenience…no not beautiful, but not a dog either…what was I supposed to do…I don’t know how I get into these situations with the problem women, they’re like drawn to me I guess.”

His voice faded away as he left the room and headed to the studio Laura guessed.  She had had such a crush on JC when she had been younger and disappointed when the group broke up.  He had always seemed down to earth and caring.  Now her fantasy had been shattered.  Clearly, in real life, he was all about himself. 

Going into the kitchen, she glanced around for a phone book and something that had his address on it.  If she was such an inconvenience, she would just leave. 

It was her lucky day.  There was a phone book on the counter and an envelope with JC’s address stuck on the refrigerator.  Next to the phone book was a notepad and pen.  Flipping though the phone book, she quickly located the number of a local cab company and wrote it down.  Then she turned and wrote down his house number and street before heading back upstairs. 

Taking her cell phone out, she dialed the cab company and was told someone would be by to pick her up in 10 minutes.  Quickly gathering all of her belongings, she wrote a quick note to leave on the counter on her way out.  Heading back down the stairs, she hoped JC was still in his studio. 

Rushing through the kitchen, she placed the note prominently on the counter where she was sure he wouldn’t miss it.  Silently she opened the door and shut it behind her.  Just as she reached the bottom of the drive, the cab pulled up and she quickly got in and told the address, breathing a sigh of relief she would never have to see JC Chasez again. 

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!  Will JC go after her?  Only the next chapter will tell!
Chapter 5 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews!!!  Keep them coming!!  They make my day!

He stood and stretched his arms over his head, he wasn’t sure how long he had been sitting and playing around with a new song.  Yawning he caught a peek at the clock on the wall.  Wow, time got away from me.  Mid yawn, his mouth snapped shut.  His houseguest, such as she was, hadn’t come down for something to eat.

“Damn, I hope she didn’t pass out or anything.”  He mumbled to himself as he took the stairs from the basement to the second floor two at a time.  The bedroom door where she was staying was half-open.  Softly knocking, he pushed it open all the way to look at the bed.  Empty.  Next, he checked the bathroom.  Empty.

Maybe she had gotten dizzy downstairs looking for him.  Swiftly he checked the living room, bathroom, and study on the first floor, alarm beginning to spread through him.  Entering the kitchen, he checked the floor behind the large island to make sure she hadn’t collapsed.  Nothing.

Running his hand on the island, he circled it trying to decide what to do now.  His hand caught a notepad and sent it spinning to the floor.  That’s funny, I didn’t put that there.

Bending he picked it up and started to put it away when he saw the note.

Dear JC,

Thank you for taking me to the ER and your hospitality. 
 As I don’t want to be a “huge inconvenience,” I will make myself scarce so you can fulfill your plans for the next couple of days instead of cancelling.  I will do my best to work around your schedule at the center.

Have a nice life,

Laura

JC scrubbed his hands over his jaw.  She had obviously overhead his earlier phone call.  He hadn’t really meant it; he had just been frustrated over the turn of events.  JC didn’t like his plans to change last minute, but that hadn’t been her fault. 

Now, what do I do?  Go after her or let her be?  Then he stuck his hands in his pockets.  His fingers met the warm plastic of a pill bottle.  The decision had just been made for him. 

Scowling at himself for forgetting to give her the pain medication, he grabbed his keys from the hook next to the garage door and stalked to his car.  This woman is more trouble than...  than…  He couldn’t think of anything.  No actually, I’m the one that has caused all of this.  I was the one that didn’t believe her about her arm and I said some stupid things that made her leave.  If I hadn’t done that, I wouldn’t need to go searching in the middle of the night.

Driving confidently through the darkened streets, he nodded his head to the bass pumping through his speakers.  He was pretty sure he knew where Laura was staying.  He would try there first; it was late enough he didn’t want to wake anyone up from the center just to admit his stupid mistake. 

Reaching the long stay hotel, he parked and took long strides to the front door.  Nobody staffed the front desk so he rang the bell that was provided there.  Turning his back to the counter while he waited, he spied a familiar looking brown head of hair over the back of a chair across the lobby. 

Walking over towards her, he tried to think of what to say.  “Why did you leave?”

She jumped slightly, but answered, “I don’t like to stay where I’m not wanted.”

JC circled around and sat in the chair across from her.  She was slouched in the chair, head resting against the back, cradling her broken arm with her good one, and her eyes were tightly shut. 

“Look, I’m sorry about the things I said.  I didn’t mean them; I was a jerk and just upset about the situation, not about you.”

“Fine, thank you for your apology.  Now that you’ve said your piece, you may go.”

His eyebrows rose at her dismissal, then he narrowed his eyes when he realized she hadn’t looked at him or moved once.  “Why aren’t you in your room?”

“I just needed to rest here for a minute.”

“Well, according to my calculations, you left my house 2?  3?  hours ago, right?  So you’ve rested a minute; go ahead and head to your room and I’ll take off.”  JC wanted her to admit she was dizzy.

“No, go ahead, I’ll be fine.”

“Why can’t you just admit you need help?”  He said in frustration.

“I don’t want to take up your precious time with my problems.”

“Laura, you’re hurt and I would venture a guess to say you are extremely dizzy right now, is that right?”

She took a deep breath and admitted reluctantly, “Yeah, I am, I barely made it in here to sit down the world was spinning so bad.”

“Why didn’t you ask the clerk for help or call 911?”

“Well as you can see, there is no clerk and I can’t see straight enough to dial the phone.”

***

Laura heard movement but was still startled when JC threw her arm around his neck before gently placing one strong arm behind her back and the other under her knees.  Rising, he cradled her against his chest.  Her eyes had flown open when he picked her up, but quickly shut against the spinning world.  With a gasp, she tucked her head into the crevice between his shoulder and jaw.  He was so warm and stronger than he looked.  He held her gently but securely against his hard, muscled chest. 

His voice rumbled through his chest, vibrating against her ear, sending a ripple of awareness through her.  “Excuse me, could you open the front door for me please?”  She heard a car door opening, before she was positioned on the seat of his car.  “Thanks,” he said back out the door as he pulled the seat belt across her lap and buckled her in.  This was becoming almost routine. 

Resting back against the head rest, she listened as JC got in, buckled and started the engine.  “I’m sorry about all this, I’m normally not this weak.” 

“No, it’s all my fault, if I hadn’t made those things up, you wouldn’t have left, and not taken your pain medication.  And you’re not weak, your body has been through a traumatic experience, broken bone, surgery…and it didn’t help that I haven’t been the nicest guy.  I swear I’m not like that.”

They fell silent as they made their way back to the ER for the second time that day. 

***

Laura was admitted to the hospital and taken to a private room.  JC hadn’t left her side, except when she was changed from street clothes to a hospital gown.  When she had an iv inserted, he simply bowed his head and thought about anything other than the fact there was a needle close by. 

They argued like a normal couple when JC settled in the chair next to her bed for the night.  She didn’t think he needed to stay, but he had made up his mind that he would take care of her so he stayed. 

They both drifted off to sleep, Laura due in part to the shock her body had gone through and the medication, and JC from exhaustion. 

He slowly came into consciousness, not sure what had awakened him.  Then he heard thrashing and frightened gasps coming from the bed.  Jumping to his feet, he leaned over, noticing Laura was still asleep and having what looked like a terrifying nightmare.  Cupping her face in his hands, he spoke gently but forcefully to wake her.  Without warning, she sat straight up barely missing cracking their heads together.   

End Notes:
Please don't hate me for leaving it like that.  Hopefully the next chapter will be up soon.  I've got a busy week, but will be sketching it out in my head.  Let me know what you think!
Chapter 6 by Lew

Laura took deep, heaving breaths, not knowing where she was.  She wasn’t sure what had happened but knew it had been terrifying.  Her lungs felt like they couldn’t get enough oxygen and black spots started to dance before her eyes.  She noticed the iv in her arm and reached to pull it out forgetting she had a cast on, surely it had been the medication that had caused such a reaction. 

But before she could tug the iv out, her hand was grasped firmly in a strong masculine hand.  A nurse came quickly into the room and Laura could hear but not understand the conversation taking place.  The hand that held hers soothingly rubbed a thumb over the back of her hand.  She was not aware that the nurse removed the iv from its offending place in her arm. 

Eventually calming down, she rolled on her side, keeping a hold of the comforting hand and tucking it next to her cheek before falling back to sleep, this time hopefully a dreamless one. 

***

The nurse had left a few moments before Laura had claimed his hand and had him leaning more over the bed.  Trying to pull it away only succeeded in her holding it tighter and starting to get agitated again.  He scoped out the problem and decided there was only one solution. 

Climbing in behind her, he settled in for the night.  Stretching his free arm above his head, he used the other to pull Laura back more comfortably against his chest.  Her body was soft and warm against his.  Her soft breathing blew over his knuckles.  When he inhaled, her scent overwhelmed him. 

He wasn’t sure how much time had passed when he caught himself drifting off to sleep as Laura again started to panic.  He gripped her hand tighter in his while his other came down to smooth her hair.  Humming a gentle tune, she relaxed again in his arms.  Now he was wide awake.

***

Laura awoke with a sigh, she could still remember the panic she had felt during the night.  But strangely she remembered someone comforting her.  And even now she could still feel the comfort of a warm hand in hers.  Then she realized there was a body pressed close to hers with a heavy arm around her waist.  Opening her eyes, she realized there actually was a strong masculine hand holding her good one. 

“Do you feel better now?” 

She licked her lips as she answered hesitantly, “Yeah… How did we end up like this?”  She released his hand and he shifted, moving slightly away from her.

“You freaked out in the night and tried to pull your iv out.  I stopped you and you wouldn’t let go of my hand, so here we are.”

Laura moaned as she brought her hand up to cover her face.  “How many embarrassing moments can a girl have around you?  No wonder you thought I was a huge inconvenience.  You’d better go now and get far away from me before something else happens.”

“Hey…hey”  He tugged her hand from her face.  “I thought we covered this last night.  I didn’t mean it and you needed someone here so I was glad to do it.”

“Maybe you’re not such a jerk after all.” 

JC chuckled and got off the bed.  “Thanks for that, I think.  So how do you really feel, you had a rough night.”

“I have never experienced anything like that before.  The dreams were so real, but now I can’t remember anything but being so scared.  I don’t know what was in that medicine, but I would rather live with the pain than ever go through that again.”  It was your touch that chased the fear away.

JC opened his mouth to say something but stopped when a nurse bustled into the room.  “How are you doing this morning?”

“Better than last night, I guess.  Was that caused by the medicine?”

“Yeah, you had a reaction to it.”

“Will that happen again?  How long will it take for that to get out of my system?”

“It’s possible and it could take up to 72 hours to get out of your body.”

“Really??  So what do I do?”

“Drink lots of fluids and rest.”

“Rest?  How am I supposed to rest if those hallucinations come back?  Or I get dizzy again?”  Laura questioned.

“That’s why we highly recommend that you not be alone in case something were to happen.”

“But I don’t have anyone to stay with me.”

“You can stay with me.”  JC said out of nowhere causing both women to look over at him quickly.  “What?  It’s not a problem – plus it’ll save you money.”

Laura hesitated.  “I don’t know, I don’t want to be a bother.”

“Look, I apologized, I didn’t mean those things, you need help and it’ll force me to spend some much needed time at the center.  Nothing will happen, I’m a good guy, ask my sister.”

She studied his eyes as he looked back at her unblinking while the nurse looked on in interest. 

Sighing, Laura acquiesced before she turned back to the nurse.  “So when can I get out of here then?”

“The doctor will be doing rounds shortly, but now that you are off the medicine, you should be able to be released this morning.”

Later when the doctor came in to examine Laura, JC excused himself to get a cup of coffee.   After discussing with the doctor the reaction to the medicine and being released, she dressed once again in her street clothes and waited for JC to return so they could leave.  She felt a little uneasy going back to his house again, but felt she didn’t have another choice given her last reaction to the medicine. 

She was rifling through her purse, looking for ibuprofen, when JC appeared in the doorway. 

Taking a sip of coffee, he asked, “So what’s the verdict?”

Still digging through her purse, Laura was mumbling to herself.  “I thought I had some in here, guess not.  Oh, I’ve been released.”

“What are you looking for?”

“Ibuprofen, the doctor suggested it since I’m refusing to take anything they were going to give me.  And apparently, I don’t have any with me.”

Pausing with the cup halfway to his lips, “We can stop and get some on our way home.”

“Are you sure?” 

“Alright, this is going to get old.  I’m sorry I said those things and chased you away when you had such a bad reaction.  Now you need to stop assuming you are a bother and let it go.  I’ve agreed to help you so let’s just leave it at that and forget about earlier.  Deal?”

“Okay, I’m sorry too, deal.”  They shook hands briefly.  Laura’s eyes widened at the shock that went through her at the contact.  She released his hand and grabbed her purse. 

“I’m ready, let’s get out of here and I hope I never see this place again!”

Chapter 7 by Lew
The two fell into an easy truce over the next few hours.  JC was proving to be an exceptional host.  He was solicitous and made sure Laura was resting on the couch and that the guest bedroom where she had been before was welcoming.  He was on hand if she needed anything – a glass of water or opening her medicine bottle.

JC had even made arrangements to turn her rental car back in – without telling Laura.  He had decided she shouldn’t be driving with one arm so he did what he thought was right.  He also had his assistant stop and gather all of Laura’s belongings from the hotel where she had been staying and bring them to his house.

After eating pizza that JC had had  delivered for supper and entertaining casual conversation between the two of them, Laura headed for bed.  Stepping inside the bedroom, she stopped when she realized all her belongings were there.  Deciding she didn’t like how someone else had gone through all of her stuff, she was turning back to confront JC when she ran into his chest.

“Whoa, are you alright?”  He grabbed her shoulder with his free hand, steadying her on her feet.  In his other hand, he carried a trash bag and rubber bands to wrap around her cast.

“Yeah, thanks.  Um…how did my stuff get here?”  She asked taking a step back from him, but she didn’t get far.

He kept a hold of her shoulder and turned her, pressing her down so she was sitting on the edge of the bed.  “Yeah, I had my assistant stop and get your stuff and check you out when she turned in your rental.”

Busy wrapping her cast, he had no idea daggers were being shot into the top of his head, where he kneeled in front of her.  “You did what?”  She asked in a deceptively calm voice.

“It was no problem.  She was happy to do it, anything you need while you’re here, just let Katie know and she’ll be happy to help.”

Suddenly standing, she knocked JC back to the floor.  In shock, he stared up at her.  “What gives you the right to run my life?”

“Now wait a minute.”  He scrambled to his feet, towering over her.

“No, you wait a minute, you’ve turned in my car?  How am I supposed to get any where?”

“I’ll take you or if I can’t, Katie can.  You shouldn’t be driving with one arm in an unfamiliar city any way.”  His logic just made her madder.

“Why would you check me out of the hotel?”  She stepped forward, forcing him to take a step back.

“Because what’s the point of wasting the center’s money for a hotel room that you’re not staying in?  Look I know this isn’t how you wanted to spend your time down here, but this is how it’s playing out – You’ve got three or so more weeks down here, so you’re staying here for the rest of the time.  Don’t worry, I’m a safe guy, Katie lives in the guest house out back so if you’re worried about me attacking you, well trust me I won’t.  You don’t need a car because you shouldn’t be driving.  Going to the center with you will give me a chance to get to know the kids a little better.  I don’t spend enough time there so this will give me the opportunity.  I’m trying to do something nice, what’s so wrong about that?”

She turned away in a huff.  “At least you could’ve asked me about it.”

“Well, in the future I will.  I figured you had been through enough so far and didn’t want to stress you out any more.”

Laura closed her eyes and took a deep breath.  What he was saying made sense, if she stopped and thought about it.  “I’m sorry, it’s just…I’m such a control freak that it’s hard for me to let go of anything.  I appreciate you seeing to the details.”  She turned back to him much calmer.

“Now can I finish wrapping your cast?”  She sat back on the edge of the bed where silence reigned.

Standing, he paused before he exited.  “When you get done, come downstairs and I’ll have your medicine ready for you.”

“Okay,” she said quietly.

***

He closed the bedroom door behind him and headed for the stairs.  His foot had just touched the bottom step, when he heard a voice full of laughter calling to him.

“I told you so!  You didn’t believe me!”  Katie sat at the island, her elbows resting on the counter behind her.

“Shut up, just because you’re my cousin doesn’t mean you can make fun of me.  I pay you, you know.  I can fire you.”

“No, you can’t cause then who would you get to do your dirty work?  Who was the one who said she would be mad if you checked her out of the hotel and returned her car?  Huh?  Huh?  Oh, that’s right, the greatest, most intelligent assistant ever.  I deserve a raise you know!”

“Don’t you have your own place, why are you always here?”  She turned on the stool, following his movements as he circled the island and grabbed a drink out of the fridge.

“Cause you love me!”  He threw the plastic cap off his drink at her while she laughed.  “Alright, I can tell when I’m not wanted.  Just remember who told you so!”  Her laughter echoed as she walked down the hall and out the back door.

JC shook his head in amusement as he thoughtfully finished his Pepsi.  Laura’s eyes had been flashing in anger earlier and had definitely caught his attention.  They had been full of fire, but that hadn’t detracted from her beauty.  He liked a woman who would stand up to him if he needed it.  He truly hadn’t wanted to bother her with the details of the arrangements he had made.  In trying to save her stress, he had caused her to be angry.  He half hoped that the medicine would still cause a reaction in her tonight so that he would have to comfort her again.  The shampoo that his sister kept in the bathroom that Laura was using gave Laura a heady scent.  Smelling that all night the night before had JC dreaming of doing it again.

Smiling to himself, he was startled when he saw Laura out of the corner of his eye.  He hadn’t realized he had been standing there so long.  Jumping into motion, he grabbed the bottle of pills and twisted the cap off, before pulling a bottle of water out of the fridge and opening it.

He tipped the bottle and let two pills fall into his palm.  Silently handing one to Laura, he watched as she placed it on her tongue before turning over the bottle of water.  His eyes followed the movement of her delicate throat as she swallowed.  He took the water back and handed her the second pill again watching as she swallowed.

He cleared his throat as she finished the water and tossed it in the recycle bin behind him.

“Good night, thank you again.”  As silently as she had entered, she left and headed back upstairs with JC tracking her motions.

His hand rubbed the back of his neck as he said to himself, “JC, man, you need a girlfriend.”
He put the cap back on the pill bottle and took the stairs two at a time.  Knocking softly on her door, he opened it at her command.  She was sitting in the bed, covers at her waist, with reading glasses on and a book open on her lap.

“You know, this is probably the worst thing about having a broken arm.”  JC looked at her quizzically.  “I always hold the book in my left hand and to not be able to do that is very awkward for me.”

Falling silent, she sat there waiting for JC to speak.  “Do you mind if I leave this door open a little bit, just in case you need something in the middle of the night?  I want to be able to hear you.  My room is just across the hall and I’ll leave mine open as well.”

Pulling her glasses off, she smiled.  “That depends, do you snore?”

JC laughed out loud.  “I guess the better question is – do you?”

“You tell me.  I’m sure I got more sleep last night than you did.”

They shared in self-conscious laughter as JC backed out the door.  “Then I’ll just leave this open, if you need anything, let me know.  Good night.”

“Good night.”

Going through his nighttime routine, JC settled into his own bed across the hall.  He smiled at the irony as he put on his own glasses and grabbed a book off the nightstand.  He finally closed the book and turned off the light, noticing the guest room was dark as well.

Sometime in the middle of the night, he awoke to a light shining on his face.  A shadow passed over his face as Laura walked out of the room and partially closed the door behind her.  He couldn’t see her face, so he threw back the covers and stood, pulling on a shirt as he left his room.  She was unsteadily making her way down the stairs, holding tight to the railing.

He flipped on the light so she could see, but scared her in the process.  She stifled a scream as she missed the last step and almost tumbled down.  He had rushed down the stairs behind and grasped her by the waist holding her upright.  He could feel her breathing heavily, just like she had the night before.  Still gripping her waist, he moved so he could look into her face.  It was in shadows.

He reached one hand over to flip the switch near where Laura’s rested with a death grip on the railing.  As he looked into her eyes, he saw the panic again from the night before.

With his right hand, he grabbed hers, and with his left, he placed it on the small of her back, guiding her to a seat on the couch.  Her pulse was racing under his fingertips.  As he positioned her in front of the couch, she sank down as if she couldn’t stand any more.

Almost without thinking she wrapped her arms around her waist and rocked back and forth.  In a quivering voice, she spoke, “I don’t know what was in the medication, but it should be outlawed.”

He sat next to her, trying to figure out what to do.  “Do you want something to drink?”  He asked when he noticed her licking her lips.

“Yeah, that’s what I was coming downstairs for and hoping a change of scenery would help.”  She leaned forward as if she were going to get up when JC stopped her with a hand on her arm.  As she looked at him, he noticed the panic slowly subsiding.

“Stay still, I’ll get you some water.”

In the kitchen, he grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and the pill bottle and sat back down next to Laura.

Handing her a pill, they repeated the process of pills and water before she quickly drank the rest of the bottle.  JC got up and threw the empty bottle in the trash before grabbing a couple more out of the fridge.

Laura had curled up in the corner of the couch and was hugging a throw pillow to her chest.  Her breathing had slowed and JC could see that once again the calmness was overtaking her body.

“I didn’t mean to wake you up or keep you up.  I’ll be fine now.”

JC considered her words as he looked over her profile.  “Do you want to watch a movie?”

“Sure.”

Passing her a blanket from the back of the couch, JC and Laura settled down in companionship, watching movies and talking for the rest of the night.  They got to know one another on a intensely personal level, allowing someone into their lives where not many had been allowed before.


Chapter 8 by Lew
The next day found both of them extremely tired.  Laura was afraid to fall asleep, not sure what would be waiting for her, but was urging JC to sleep.

“Go on to bed, I’ll be fine.”

“You need to rest too.  If you head to bed, I’ll go.”  JC argued.

“I’m not ready to deal with that just yet.”  Laura’s eyes looked off into the distance, remembering what had happened the last two times she had slept.  Shaking off the feeling, she looked over at JC sitting next to her.

He studied her eyes and must have come to a decision, as he sighed and hoisted himself off the couch.  Moving to a switch next to the large floor to ceiling windows, he pressed a button.  Large blinds dimmed and then darkened the room.  JC made his way back to the large l-shaped couch and laid down covering up.

Closing his eyes, he said.  “I’m not comfortable leaving you down here by yourself, in case something would happen and you won’t go to bed so I suggest you lay down and pretend to sleep.  For me.”  He finished with a yawn.

“Alright, I’ll pretend for you.”  She smiled as he emitted a light snore.  “That didn’t take long.”

She randomly looked through the channels before settling on a movie she had seen before.  Stretching out, she adjusted the pillow under her head as she tried to fight off the exhaustion.  She wasn’t successful as she eventually fell into her own deep sleep.

***   

Sometime later in the day, the sound of gunshots had Laura sitting straight up on the couch.  The volume on the tv was so loud, it had jolted her out of a deep sleep.  Rubbing her eyes, she saw JC still snoring peacefully on the other half of the couch.    

She tossed the blanket aside and stood up, heading toward the bathroom on the first floor.  But as she cut through the kitchen, she was startled by a woman calling her name.  

“Hey Laura, I wondered if you guys were going to sleep all day.  It’s not often I meet someone who can sleep as much as JC.”  The woman smiled as she sat at the island with a computer and cell phone in front of her.

Laura stopped in her tracks - she wasn’t sure who this woman was or how she knew her name.  

“Oh, I’m Katie by the way, JC’s assistant and cousin.  I’m the one who gathered your stuff and took your car back.  I just want you to know that I told JC you wouldn’t be happy, but he thinks he’s always right so, what are you gonna do?”  Katie rambled on as she kept working on the computer, glancing up when there was no response.  

“Nice to meet you, yeah I was a little upset about the car and everything.  I tried to set him straight, but I’m not sure it sunk in.  And I don’t usually sleep this much, I was up in the middle of the night so...”  Her voice drifted off.  

“JC’s snoring, huh?”  Katie laughed at her own joke.  

“Yeah, absolutely.”  Laura added her own laughter.  “No, actually, whatever medicine they gave me at the hospital has caused a horrible reaction. The dreams are - there are no words.  JC saw me get up and came downstairs with me to keep me company and help if I needed it.  Although how he woke up earlier, I’ll never know because he’s certainly out now.”

“It’s not nice to talk about people behind their backs.”  JC stumbled into the kitchen and headed straight for the coffee.

Laura blushed as Katie just sent a dry look his way.  “You know, cuz...never mind.”  Katie cut off her sentence as she saw the look in JC’s eyes as he looked at Laura.  It was a look of pure enchantment.  

JC took a long sip of coffee as he sauntered over to the island and sat down.  Turning to Laura, he asked, “ Are you ready for some more medicine?”

“Yeah, thanks, just let me hit the bathroom real quick.”

***
JC watched her walk out of the room, before he turned around.  Catching Katie’s look, he stopped with the cup almost to his mouth.  “What?”

“You know what!  I haven’t seen that look in your eyes for years!  You like her!”

“What!  I do not!”  JC couldn’t stop the blush as he tried to quiet his cousin.

“You do too!”  Katie jumped off the stool in excitement, sending it to the ground.

“Will you shut up!  I don’t know how I feel yet.  I just met her and she’s been through a trying experience.”  He set his coffee cup on the counter and bent to right her stool.  

Calming down slightly, Katie said. “She seems nice enough, not a lot of fancy clothes like you like to wear though.”  JC rolled his eyes at that.  “Aww...that’s why you keep putting the lid back on the pill bottle.  You know that she can’t open it herself and she has to come to you for help every time!  You’re trying to be her hero!”

“Why did I hire you again?  Your sister would do a much better job and stay out of my business.  I think I’ll give her a call.  She’s not working right now, right?”  

As JC reached for Katie’s cell phone, she slid it out of his reach. “You pay me to keep your business on track!  And you know she would annoy you 10 minutes after she came.”

JC just shot her a glare when they heard the bathroom door open.  Shortly, Laura reentered the kitchen.  JC opened the cap as he asked, “You don’t know of someone who would like a job as my assistant, would you, Laura?  I seem to be in need of one that can mind her own business!”

“Ahem...no can’t think of anyone right off hand.  Assistants are a tricky business though, they always try and think for themselves, you know.”  Laura stopped Katie’s protest with a wink as she finished her thought.  “But the majority of the time, they are a lot smarter than the people they are assisting.”

Katie and Laura exchanged a high five as JC looked on in amazement.  “I get no respect around here, even in my own home!”

Laura sank down on the stool vacated by JC, next to Katie.  “Just my experience, I’m sure that’s not the case here though.”  Laura smiled at JC before sharing a commiserating shake of her head with Katie.  

JC came around and stood behind Laura, forcing her to turn around and again accept the pill and bottle of water from him instead of placing it on the counter where she could get it herself.  Katie just watched with a raised brow turned toward JC in silence.  He couldn’t stop the blush spreading over his face from her look.  Laura looked between the two in curiosity.  

JC cleared his throat.  “So, did the dreams come back this time?”

“No, actually, I slept pretty well until somebody starting shooting on tv.  That got me up in a hurry.”

“Good, maybe the drugs are almost out of your system now.”

Laura nodded her head in agreement as she finished her water.  “I hope so, I really hope so!”

“What about the center, do you feel up to going back tomorrow?  I’ve talked to Adam a couple of times and he says to wait until you feel up to it, so I don’t want to pressure you or anything.”  

“Yeah, that sounds good.  I feel bad.  I made a commitment and then this happens.”  She looked down at her cast.  “But I can’t sit around for too long or I get crazy.”

JC opened his mouth to reply, but Katie jumped in instead.  “You know, JC is exactly like that.  Give him a day off and he can’t stand it, he has to be doing something.  You two are so similiar.”

JC and Laura smiled uncomfortably as Katie grinned very happy with herself.

Then they both spoke over each other while Katie simply looked on.

“I’m going to get dressed, I think.”

“Are you hungry, you want to go grab a bite to eat?”  JC asked.

They laughed together as Laura tried again.  “That sounds good, let me get dressed real quick.  I am kind of hungry.”

JC put his arm out to let Laura lead as they headed for the stairs talking about where to go to eat.  
Katie just bit her lip in excitement.  This is it for JC!  I just know it!!

***
They had slept through lunch so it was late enough in the day that they went out for supper.  It had it’s own moments of hilarity.  JC had taken Laura to a steakhouse close to where he lived and even though Laura had ordered a chicken dish, she found she couldn’t cut it with one hand.  

The waiter had placed JC’s steak and Laura’s chicken in front of them.  Immediately JC picked up his knife and fork and dove in.  Laura looked at hers, it looked delicious, but suddenly it struck her as being extremely funny.  

Her hand came up to cover her mouth as the laughter started and wouldn’t stop.  Her shoulders were shaking as JC continued with his thought, looking down at his own plate, not paying attention until she gasped in a breath.  

He looked up, his fork halfway to his mouth and noticed the mirth in her eyes.  Laura bent down so her forehead was resting on the table next to her plate, trying to get control of her laughter.  Her laughter was so infectious, JC started chuckling, not totally sure what she was laughing at.  

She lifted her head up to wipe the tears that were streaming from her eyes when she heard JC’s laughter.  Pointing to her plate, she barely got out, “I can’t even cut this.”  before the laughter started in again from both.  

A waiter came by to ask how the food was and JC just waved him away, still trying to gain control.  

“We are sooo going to get kicked out, but I can’t help it.  This just seemed too funny!”  Laura said still wiping her eyes.  They were starting to draw attention from the other tables, who merely smiled at the couple.

Laura took a deep breath as she reached for her glass of water, hoping the laughter had run its course.  But as she brought her glass to her lips, she looked over at JC.  And that was all it took.  Laughter reigned again!

Much later, finally gaining control of themselves and their laughter, JC slid over to her side of the booth, pressing close to her in the tight quarters.  He grabbed her knife and fork and started to cut the food on her plate.  Laura was against the back of the booth to give him more room, but couldn’t escape from the intoxicating smell that was JC.  He smelled of soap and deodorant, wonderfully masculine.  She studied his profile, the laugh lines at the corner of his eye, the strong jaw, the wavy hair.  

He finished cutting and leaned back, flashing her a quick grin.  Instead of moving back to his side, he reached over and grabbed his own plate and placed it in front of him.  

They finished their meal, trying not to laugh when Laura needed something else.  When the waiter brought the check, he placed it in front of JC.  Laura reached for it but JC snatched it quickly and took it out of her reach.  

“Let me have it!  It’s my treat.”  Laura said opening her purse.  “It’s the least I can do, you’ve opened your home to me and are now my chauffeur.”

“No way, it was my idea, my treat.  I’ve never let a woman pay and I’m not about to start now.  Besides the laughter was well worth the price of your meal!”  He opened his wallet and took out a credit card, placing it in the holder where immediately their waiter came over and took it from him.

She coughed trying to contain her laughter.  If she started again, she probably wouldn’t stop.  

“Thank you then, the meal was very delicious. It’s my treat next time.  When we come again, I’ll have two good hands though!”

JC shot her a look and a quick grin as he signed the credit card slip and slid out of the booth.  He reached out a hand to help her up, but didn’t release it as they left the restaurant.  

It just felt right.

Chapter 9 by Lew

The two spent most of the day at the center.  Laura had just expected JC to drop her off and leave, coming back to pick her up later, but to her surprise he stayed.  She wasn’t sure what he was doing in the office, but he had spent the majority of the day in there, away from the kids. 

“Hey JC, man, can you go in the gym with Laura?  I need to run a couple of errands and she can’t be in there by herself.”  Adam stuck his head in the door to call over the partition to JC.

“I was actually just getting ready to leave myself.”

“Please, I really need to get some stuff done and this is the only time I can do it.  Laura will handle any problems, but she can’t be alone with all those kids in case something would happen.”

JC let out a heavy sigh, “Yeah, I guess I can stick around.”

“Thanks, man, I owe you one.  Beside you were going to have to come back and pick her up later anyway.”  Adam shot out the door as JC trudged to the gym door and peered in.  Laura was watching a basketball game from the sidelines, but then moved through the crowd laughing with the kids as she passed.  She headed toward the stage, where she took a seat so she could see the whole floor.  JC meandered uncomfortably through the kids on his way to the stage. 

“So Adam roped you into hanging out, huh?”  She asked without looking at him. 

“Yeah.”

“You don’t have to sound so excited about it.”  She said with a wry grin.

“Don’t tell anyone this, but I’m not exactly comfortable around kids.”

“You?  Shouldn’t you be used to screaming kids by now?”

“Screaming teenage girls, yes, but that’s what security was for.”  He had a smug grin on his face. 

“I see.”  She laughed then immediately became serious as she called out to one of the kids playing basketball.  “I saw that Jimmy, knock it off.”

Suddenly a little girl about 6 or 7 years old came running up to them.  “Can you tie my shoe?”  She hopped up to sit on Laura’s lap.    

Laura responded with a laugh, “Sweetie, I can’t even tie my own shoes.” 

Laura brushed the hair from the girls face, uncovering her nametag as Beth asked, “How did you get your shoes tied this morning?”

“I didn’t untie them last night.”

“So what are you going to do when they come untied or loose?”

“I don’t know, get someone to tie them for me I guess.”

“What about him?”  Beth asked pointing to JC.

“I don’t know, do you think he can tie shoes?”  They both looked at JC, while he tried to hide a smile. 

“Ok, I’ve got it!  Why don’t you ask him to tie your shoe, really nicely, and then you can let me know if he did it right so I’ll know if I should ask him to tie mine, ok?  How does that sound?”

“Can you tie my shoe?”  She reluctantly lifted her foot as Laura prompted her.  “Please?”

“Sure, give me your foot.”  He quickly tied the shoe then Beth turned to Laura. 

She moved her foot back and forth, checking out the bow.  “He did ok, he can tie your shoes.”

JC and Laura laughed as JC responded indignantly.  “Well thank you very much for your faith in me!”

“So Beth, how was school today?”  Laura asked, still surveying the room 

“Good.”

“Did you learn anything?”

“No.”

“Nothing?”

“Nope.”

“I’m glad you went then, huh?”  Laura shot a look over Beth’s head at JC’s chuckle. 

“Who are you?”  Beth asked JC, she had been studying him throughout their conversation. 

“My name is JC.”

“Are you rich and famous?”

Laura gasped and she turned Beth to face her.  “Beth, that is very rude, you don’t ask questions like that.  You need to apologize.”

“I’m sorry.”  Beth mumbled.  “Those girls over there think you’re cute.”  She pointed to a group of teenage girls who all jerked their heads in different directions, embarrassed to be caught staring. 

JC smirked as he said, “Do they?”

“Yeah.” Beth wiggled to get down, “I’m gonna go play.”

JC started to say something but stopped when Brandon slowly came over.  It was the first time Laura had seen him since she had broken her arm. 

“Hey Brandon, how’s it going?”  Laura asked. 

“Alright.”  Brandon looked down at the floor.  “Look I’m sorry about your arm.  I didn’t mean for you to get hurt.”

“Thank you Brandon, that means a lot.  It takes a real man to apologize, do you know that?”  He scuffed his shoe on the floor. 

“So we cool?”

“Yeah, we cool.”  Laura raised her fist to bump against his raised one.  “Wait a sec, how’s your art coming, do you have anything on you?”  She stopped him as he started to walk away.

His eyes immediately lit up as he dug nonchalantly in his pocket.  “Yeah, I got something.”  Pulling it out, he handed it to Laura, studying her under lowered lashes, waiting for her reaction. 

“Oh, Brandon, you are extremely talented, this is wonderful.”  The scrap of notebook paper had been transformed into a beautiful graffiti picture.  “What are you going to do with this?”

“I’m just playing around right now, trying to design my skateboard.  I don’t really like that one though, I’m probably going to just toss it.”

“Don’t do that, I’ll take it if you ever decide to toss it.  You need to start a portfolio and put this it in so colleges can see what you can do.”

A quiet pride entered his eyes though he tried desperately to hide it.  JC observed all of this interaction silently.  Laura handed the page to JC.

“Really, it’s good enough for college?” 

“You know, I’ve got friends who are always looking for art for their albums, do you have more at home?”

Brandon’s mouth dropped open and he was speechless for a minute just staring at JC.   

“You alright, man?”  JC asked when Brandon just kept staring at him. 

“You mean that?  I’ll bring some stuff tomorrow.  Wait until my mom hears!”  He rushed off still rambling in excitement, forgetting his drawing. 

JC looked over at Laura when he felt her stare.  “What?”

“That was a very nice thing to do.  You know he’s going to run home tonight and spend hours and hours trying to come up with something that he thinks you’ll approve of.”

“What can I say, I’m a nice guy.  The kid has talent.”

A commotion in the corner prompted Laura to hop off the stage, cutting off their conversation. 

Adam never made it back that evening so Laura and JC had to close up the center themselves.  Together they made short work of getting the youth signed out and on their way and checking to make sure all the doors and windows were locked before heading out themselves. 

They drove through and picked up some fast food for Katie on their way back to JC’s house.  The evening was full of laughter between the new friends.  Katie excused herself for the evening and bid them good night, but neither noticed that she stood for a moment and watched them together.  You could almost see her thoughts as a smile broke over her face.

Chapter 10 by Lew
Author's Notes:
In the first chapter, I had orginally mentioned that Brandon had a sister, but it no longer fits with where the story is going so I've taken her out. 

The next few days passed in much the same way.  JC spent a lot of time in the office until Adam would ask him to come out and help Laura while he ran errands.  Brandon brought more sketches that JC promised to pass on.  If JC was in the room, Brandon was next to him, hanging on to his every word and motion. 

“He really looks up to you.”  Laura said as she and JC kept watch over the youth. 

“He’s a really good kid, his mom is having a lot of problems right now and Brandon is not sure what to do about it.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yeah, from what I gather, she’s been heavy into drugs and is trying to get clean.”

“That’s too bad, kids shouldn’t have to suffer like that.”

“JC, will you play basketball with us?”  Brandon called from across the gym. 

“Duty calls,” he said as he jogged off toward the game already in progress.  Laura headed over to see if she could help the kids with their homework before it was time to eat. 

Many of the kids were picked up after they ate as parents and guardians got off work.  The center was only open until 7 p.m. on school nights, later on the weekends.  It was now 7:30 and Brandon was the only one who hadn’t been picked up yet.  He hardly noticed the exit of his friends as he and JC kept shooting hoops. 

Laura stepped out of the gym to head to the office and see if she could get a hold of Brandon’s mom.  But as she walked past the outside door, a policeman entered with a grim look on his face.  She detoured over to him, as she, JC, and Brandon were the only ones left. 

“Hi Joe, what are you doing here?”  Laura asked.  Joe was a police officer that often volunteered his time at the center, but it was unusual to see him there in uniform.

 
Joe sighed as he studied Laura's face.  “I'm afraid I have some bad news.  Is Brandon still here?”

“Yeah, he's in playing basketball with JC.  What’s wrong?”

“His mom committed suicide today.”  Laura’s hand came up to her mouth as she tried to absorb the news.  

“How,” was the only word she could get out.  

“Overdose,” was the answer.

“Do you know for sure that it was on purpose?”

Joe sighed before he answered.  “She left a note to Brandon.  I don't know how anyone could leave behind their kid and be so selfish.”

“What can I do to help?”  Laura asked.  “I’ll do whatever you need.”

“Just be there for him right now.  He'll need a lot of support.”

Laura pulled open the door and held it for the officer to step in behind her.  Brandon had his back to them getting ready to shoot the basketball and JC had his hands up ready to block the shot.  Both of them were laughing.  But as JC noticed Laura, his brow wrinkled at her pale face and an emotion he couldn’t define on her face.  Brandon’s shot made it through the net and he started dancing, not yet knowing his world was about to come crashing down. 

***

“No one can beat the master, want me to show you again, get you a walker maybe?”  He finally realized that JC’s attention was behind him so he turned to see what was going on. 

Grabbing the basketball, he tossed it toward Joe calling out to him as he did.  “Hey, you want in the game?”

Joe caught the ball and said, “Hey Brandon, how's it going?”

“Good, I’m kicking JC’s butt in basketball.”

“Can I talk to you, Brandon?  Let’s sit down over here for a minute.”  Brandon looked between the adults as he slowly sat in the chair Joe indicated. 

JC moved closer to Laura as he mouthed what’s wrong?  Laura simply shook her head in answer and went to kneel in front of Brandon leaving the chairs next to him for Joe and JC. 

“Brandon, I’m so sorry to have to tell you…your mom is gone.”  He put a hand on Brandon’s shoulder as he looked back at Joe confused. 

“What do you mean gone?  She didn’t tell me she was leaving.”

“No, Brandon, she’s dead.  She overdosed this afternoon.”  Brandon started shaking his head in denial.  “I’m so sorry.”

JC put his arm around Brandon as Laura rubbed his knee.  “No, no, no, no, no, she promised, she –“  His voice cracked as he shook off Joe’s and JC’s hands and shoved past Laura. 

Gripping his head in his hands, he starting pacing before walking over and beginning to punch the wall.  JC had jumped up when Brandon had and so was within arm reach as he punched.  Grabbing him by the shoulders, he took several punches in the chest before getting his arms around him and holding him hard.  As soon as JC hugged him, Brandon started sobbing hysterically. 

Through tears in her own eyes, Laura walked over to JC and Brandon and wrapped her arms around the two.  Joe’s head was in his own hands for a moment before standing and putting a hand on Brandon’s back. 

Many, many minutes later Brandon’s sobs finally lessened a little, but he kept his head buried in JC’s chest.  This man child was experiencing something that no one ever should and at an age when he still desperately needed guidance that was no longer there.  He didn’t know who his father was and had no other family to speak of. 

When he finally quieted, Laura brushed his hair back from his eyes and spoke.  “Brandon?  Can you look at me?”  He sniffed and slowly turned his head and JC loosened his grip but still kept an arm around him. 

Laura looked deep into his eyes. “Your mom loved you very much.  Do you know that?”

He sobbed out his next words still looking at Laura.  “It’s all my fault, I should have been with her and this wouldn’t have happened.”

“No, stop right there!  I want you to remember what I’m about to tell you.  Do you understand?”  He nodded and looked back at her with welling eyes.  “There is nothing, nothing that you could have done.  Nothing.  This is not at all your fault.  Okay?  I want you to always remember these three things – this is not your fault and there is nothing you could have done even if you had been there.  Your mom loved you more than anything in the world.”

“But if I had been with her -”

“No Brandon, if you had been there, you might have gotten hurt.”  Joe interrupted.  “Your mom made this decision on her own and Laura’s right, there was nothing you could have done and it’s not your fault.”

“But now what do I do?  Where do I go?  My mom was the only family I had!”  He sobbed and turned back to JC’s chest. 

Quickly, Laura twisted to face Joe.  “What will happen now?” 

“I have to place him in foster care until we can find the next of kin.”

“But you heard him, there is no one.”

“I’ll take him, he can stay with me, with us,” JC said glancing at Laura as he said that, “while Laura’s here.” 

A glimmer of hope appeared in Joe’s eyes.  “You mean that?”

“Yeah, I mean, instead of foster care, a child can be placed with a non-relative they have a relationship with if there aren’t any relatives, right?”

“Yes, they can.”

“Then it’s settled.”  Brandon appeared to almost go limp as the sobs stopped again.  Joe placed one of Brandon’s arms around his neck as he and JC supported his weight.  “Let’s go home.”

End Notes:
Review, please.
Chapter 11 by Lew

Getting Brandon settled and comfortable for the night took both JC and Laura hours that evening.  He eventually collapsed from sheer exhaustion from crying.   JC had left the room for some air while Laura maintained a steady vigil at Brandon’s bedside in case he needed anything or decided to try something on his own. 

Her gaze roved over his features in the dim light.  No one should be experiencing such pain let alone a young teenage boy struggling to find his way.  Her head was resting on her bent hand, too physically tired to hold it up any longer, but too mentally and emotionally wired to sleep. 

She didn’t know how long she sat there before a motion in the doorway caught her eye.  JC stood there looking at the figure in the bed.  After a long moment, he nodded his head toward Laura wanting her to come with him. 

She stood and leaned over the bed, brushing a hand over Brandon’s hair before following JC from the room.  She left the door behind her open so they could hear if Brandon awoke. 

They walked down the hall to the balcony.  Sliding open the door, he motioned for her to exit ahead of him.  She immediately walked over to the railing and gripped it with her good hand and all of her strength.  He moved behind her and merely placed a hand in the middle of her back.  That was all it took. 

She broke down completely.  Grabbing her shoulders, he turned her and pulled her into her arms, his own tears falling as well. 

After they both gained control, Laura sank down on one of the chairs as JC took the other one.  Their hands were still attached.  For many minutes, they were silent looking off in the distance, neither seeing the stars or nearby sights, both lost in their own thoughts. 

Without turning towards her, JC broke the silence.  “Who was it for you?”

She was silent so long; he didn’t think she would answer.  He was softly brushing his thumb against the back of her hand that he held. 

Taking a deep breath, she answered.  “One of the teens that I worked with, almost three years ago.  All the signs were there, but no one put them together.  The worst part was trying to help the survivors.  It’s such a senseless, selfish act.  But what gets me is how desperate do you have to be?  What goes through your mind right before?  That’s what I struggle with.  How do we get through to Brandon so he knows it’s not an option for him?”

“I don’t know.  Exactly what we’ve been doing, I guess.”

“How did you know?”

“What?  That you’ve dealt with it before?  You knew what to say to him – that there was nothing he could have done, it wasn’t his fault.  I didn’t know what to say at that point.”

“But you opened your home to him, it’ll take him a while, but one day he’ll be very grateful that you were there for him in the worst moment of his life.”

“So what’s next?”

“Getting him through the day.  No child his age should have to plan his mother’s funeral, but I didn’t know her and maybe a few details will help him get through this and still feel connected to her.  Joe said he would stop by, hopefully before Brandon gets up and we can talk about a few things.”

Stillness settled over the two as they watched the faint light of dawn start to appear.  He rose and guided her up next to him.  “I’m headed for bed for a while.  You need to go there too.  Do you need any pain medicine for your arm?”     

Laura smiled in sadness.  There was no pain medicine for the ache in her heart for the boy lying in a room down the hall.  And there would be none for his gaping hole.  “No, I’m fine.  I’ll go sit with Brandon again.  I’ll never sleep anyway.”

He saw the determined look on her face and knew he would never convince her otherwise.  “Alright, will you wake me if you need anything or if Joe comes?”

“Yeah.”  Quiet again they hugged in comfort before parting as Laura went back to her vigil.  JC stood for a moment in the hall, admiring her strength and how she put Brandon’s needs above her own.  Yawning, he found his way to his own bed, not sure he would get any sleep. 

Chapter 12 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's been a crazy couple of weeks.  Hopefully I'll be able to spend more time this week writing and get deeper into the story.  Let me know what you think and have a great week!

Just an hour later, Brandon started to stir.  Laura could tell the exact instant that he remembered.  But for the moment, he had no more tears.  Laying there for a while, he started to question. 

“Why would she do something like this?”

“I don’t know, Brandon.  I don’t know what was going through her mind.  Drugs can do a number on people.”

“She promised me she would give up drugs I don’t know how many times.”

“I can’t even pretend to understand what drugs do to your system or living with someone on drugs, but what you need to concentrate on right now is the good times with your mom.  The happy moments that you spent with each other.”

“I shouldn’t be feeling happy right now.  Death is all about sadness.”  He looked over as JC entered and sat with his back against a dresser near the door.  Laura barely spared him a glance. 

“Grief is every emotion under the sun.  It is perfectly okay to laugh at memories.  Remember that mom, the mom who loved you so much.  It’s okay to be mad at her for leaving you, but also remember the fun times you shared, the embarrassing moments, the way she cared for you when you were little.”

“Where do I go now?  I don’t have a home any more.”

“Yes, you do.”  JC spoke suddenly.  “Right here.”  He got up as he spoke and came over to sit on the side of the bed.

“Do you mean that?”  Brandon choked up as JC simply nodded.  All of a sudden, Brandon jumped off the bed, running into the hallway bathroom and slamming the door behind him. 

“That went well,” JC said almost to himself. 

“He’s just overwhelmed right now, he doesn’t know how to react to anything.  His world has been turned upside down and he’s struggling to find his footing.”  She paused as she couldn’t stop a yawn.  “Did you really mean you would keep him?  Adopt him or what?”

“I don’t know exactly, I just know I can’t let him go to foster care or anything like that, I guess I’ll take it a step at a time.”  He studied her closely in the morning light, noticing the weariness in her slumped posture, the deep dark circles under her eyes, and the yawns that wouldn’t stop.  “You need to get some rest.”

“I will, maybe after breakfast.”  Stretching, she stood and headed for the door.  “Are you hungry?”  Almost to the door, she paused before turning back.  “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to step on your toes.  I’m acting like this is my house.”  She laughed lightly in embarrassment. 

“No, don’t ever think that.  We’ve been through enough together the past couple of weeks that you should feel at home here.  I’ve been through more with you than some friends I’ve known for a lifetime.”  He paused as if deep in thought, studying her as he slid by to get to the hallway.  “Let’s go find something to eat then you can go to bed.”  He walked into the hall and knocked on the bathroom door, which opened  quickly.  “Come on Brandon, let’s go get some breakfast.” 

They ate breakfast and just as they were finishing Joe arrived.  The four of them talked over a few things before Laura began to make funeral arrangements, giving Brandon a chance to be involved but trying not to overwhelm or frighten him.  Meanwhile Joe and JC talked about the next steps and Joe put him in contact with someone who could help him gain guardianship for Brandon. 

The next days passed never leaving Brandon alone.  His emotions ran through the gamut.  One minute he was remembering the good times, the next screaming in anger.  Laura was exhausted from staying up with Brandon.  When she tried to sleep, she kept trying to figure out what had been going through his mom’s mind.  How she could leave her son alone in the world?  Laura was simply going through the motions, her mind was slowing down, she couldn’t think anymore because she was so tired. 

Finally, the night before the funeral JC had had enough.  She had run out of excuses, she simply couldn’t think of any more.  Brandon was in the shower and Laura had gone into the kitchen to grab a drink when JC caught up with her. 

Giving her no time to protest, he grabbed her hand as soon as she put the bottle of water down.  He pressed a sleeping pill into her hand and sternly looked at her, saying nothing.  She never even uttered a protest, swallowing quickly.  He nodded toward the stairs letting her lead as he shut off the lights and followed.  At her door, he stopped her for a brief moment. 

“Sleep well.  I’ll see to Brandon tonight.  Tomorrow will be a trying day for all of us.”

With her good arm, she wound it tightly around his neck, her fingers tangling in his hair.  His arms wrapped around her back and gave a long hug of comfort, exactly what they both needed. 

Finally stepping back, she staggered over to the bed, too exhausted to stay awake any longer. 

He waited until she had settled into the bed and pulled the covers up before he turned and walked down the hall to settle in the chair for the night next to Brandon’s bed. 

***

Laura woke more rested than she thought she would feel.  After quickly using the facilities, she exited her room to see how Brandon and JC had done overnight.  Poking her head in Brandon’s room, she saw it was empty, but then caught the murmur of voices from JC’s bedroom.  The door was partially closed so Laura stopped in the hall and tilted her head toward the voices. 

Apparently they were going through JC’s closet to find clothes and a tie that would fit Brandon.  Smiling at the way JC was keeping it lighthearted, she decided to shower and not interrupt them.  JC and Brandon would have to learn to get along with each other without her around. 

***

JC literally had to hold Brandon up at the graveside.  He was emotionally spent from the funeral.  Laura was disappointed at the turnout, there were not many people there to support Brandon in his time of need.  If it hadn’t been for the people from the center, it would have been just Laura, JC, Brandon, and the minister. 

As Brandon stood next to the casket to say his final goodbyes, JC stepped back to let him have a moment alone.  Reaching out blindly, he grabbed Laura’s hand in his and clung to it tightly.  Laura squeezed his in response.  They would let Brandon have as long as he needed. 

***

Over the next few days, Brandon rushed from task to task.  One moment he would be watching tv, the next jumping up to see if the mail had arrived, or starting to fix a sandwich but leaving before it was finished.  Laura was supposed to head back home, but had offered to stay a few more days to help with Brandon.  JC had immediately accepted. 

But the days passed faster than JC would have liked and the next thing he knew, he and Brandon had parked at the airport and were escorting Laura in to the counter. 

While they waited, the guys found a vacant bench and sat side by side.  Looking out of the corner of his eye, JC noticed Brandon unobtrusively wiping his eyes.  Looping an arm around his shoulder, JC put him in a headlock trying to comfort him.  JC was really going to miss Laura.  She had made everything seem so simple and knew exactly what to say in any occasion. 

Striding over to the bench, the two guys stood as Laura got closer. 

“Well, I’m all set.”  She noticed the tears in Brandon’s eyes and wrapped him in a hug.  Whispering in his ear, she said, “I’m going to miss you so much, Brandon.  I don’t know why things happen, but know that I am always here for you, anytime, anywhere, anything that you need.  I’m only a phone call away, okay?”  She leaned back to look into his eyes.  He simply nodded, unable to talk, and stepped back several feet. 

With a watery smile, she looked at JC.  “What can I say – thank you for taking such good care of me, even when I yelled at you.  What you are doing for Brandon is amazing and if you ever need a listening ear, I’m there.”

He tugged her into his arms, wrapping them around her waist as he placed his lips next to her ear.  “I’m going to miss you so much, I don’t know how to do this on my own.  Are you sure you won’t reconsider and stay longer?”

She suppressed a shiver that came from his closeness and his breath against her neck.  “I can’t, you will do a wonderful job with him.  Call me anytime, and I mean anytime.” 

Her cast was hard against his back.  He smiled as he remembered how they had met, never had he imagined she would be so important to him in such a short amount of time. 

He pulled back slightly back with a laugh, “Try not to break anything else, alright?”

She chuckled as she too remembered.  “At least not with that medication anyway!”  She looked over at Brandon.  “Take good care of him.”  Pausing she took a deep breath as she prepared to step back and head through security.  “I’d better go.”

Without even thinking, he pressed a light kiss on her lips then his eyes widened as he pulled away and bent to grab her carryon.  By the time he stood back up, they both had composed themselves.  Neither had been prepared for the electricity that had passed at even the lightest touch. 

He helped her get the bag on her good shoulder and with a final wave, she headed toward security, hoping she wouldn’t break down in tears.  After clearing security she glanced behind her once more at the two faces staring glumly back at her, then she was out of sight.  As soon as she was around the corner, she dropped her bag on the floor, and brought her hand to her lips.  Reliving the brief kiss, she thought of all she was leaving, but knew it was for the best. 

The two would get along just fine.  Now she had to learn how to live without them in her life.  But she would make it, she had to. 

Chapter 13 by Lew

Phone calls, texts, and e-mails were frequent over the next few weeks.  The three shared many details of their lives with each other even though they were many, many miles apart.   

They all celebrated when Laura got a clean bill of health from the doctor and her cast was removed.  JC and Brandon sent a bouquet of flowers and a restaurant gift card.  The note that was attached said:

Enjoy a meal on us that you can actually cut yourself!  But if you need me, I’m always happy to help out, especially for the entertainment value!!  JC

After laughing until she cried, she immediately called JC’s cell phone, getting only his voicemail.  She left a message that was full of laughter and thanks for the beautiful flowers and gift card.   She wished them both well as they hadn’t talked in several days. 

Slowly, once her cast was off, communication grew more sporadic.  She accepted it, they had moved on, she wouldn’t stand in their way.  It was for the best, at least that’s what she tried to convince herself. 

The summer passed and she had heard nothing for about many weeks.  She missed them but gave them their space, throwing herself into her work.  But as fall came, it was time to help on the farm.  Every year her primary responsibility was to operate the combine to harvest the crops.  She spent a lot of time in the fields harvesting as her father, Bob, hauled the grain to town. 

One such afternoon, about halfway through harvest, Laura was in the combine as usual, with the radio on that she was singing along with.  Her dad had just left with a semi full and her goal was to have the next ready for him as soon as he got back. 

When her cell phone that was sitting on the seat next to her rang, she answered it absentmindedly, not taking her eyes off what she was doing as she said hello.  She had been expecting a call from her dad telling her the line was long or some other such information.  But she certainly wasn’t expecting the voice on the other end. 

“Hey,” she remarked not really paying attention to the call.

“Hey there, broken any more bones lately?”  The voice on the other end asked. 

Laura recognized the voice, but pulled it away from her ear to double check. 

“No, not lately, I just seem to be clumsy around you!”  She exclaimed.  “What are you guys up to?”

“Oh you know, a little of this, a little of that.”  All of sudden, Laura caught an undercurrent in JC’s voice. 

“How are you doing?”  She pulled back on the controls so she could concentrate on the conversation. 

“We’re good.  Actually, we were wondering if you were up for some company?”

Laura struggled for words for a moment.  “Um… sure…absolutely!  When are you thinking of coming up?”

“Well, according to the GPS, we’re about 20 minutes away.”

Laura froze in shock, the first thing that jumped to her mind was what kind of shape her house was in.  She lived alone and spending so little time at home this time of year, things tended to get a little messy. 

“Wow… cool.  I’m actually not at home right now so where are you?  I’ll give you directions to find me.”  After giving detailed instructions to the field where she was, she hung up the phone and tried to figure out what was going on.  Now that she had a second to think, she wondered what had prompted this trip north.  There had to be something going on that he wasn’t sharing over the phone. 

Glancing down at the controls, she caught a glimpse of what she was wearing.  Torn jeans and t-shirt that were covered in dirt.  Her hands were dirty and had grease stains and cuts from where she had sliced them open on something.  Her hair was pulled up in a messy ponytail with pieces that had fallen down around her face. 

“Well, I guess they take me as I am.  They’ll get to see the real me this time.”  She said to herself, it was too late to do anything about it, there was a car slowing down and parking where she had instructed.  Laura finished the round in the combine and carefully pulled to a stop close to them.  She shut down the controls, but left the engine running.  Opening the door, she climbed down the ladder, but as soon as she reached the bottom she found herself engulfed in a hard hug. 

Brandon had immediately run over and grabbed her.  JC stood back a few feet, his hands in his pockets, an unreadable expression on his face.  As abruptly as she had been grabbed, she was released as Brandon studied the machine behind her. 

“Don’t touch anything and never approach a running machine unless I give a signal to you first, alright?”  Laura caught him by the arm, as he started to walk away.  “You could get really hurt, okay?  Brandon?”

“Yeah, okay, man this is so cool, you really run this thing all by yourself?”  He answered as he started to circle. 

“Yeah, all by myself.”  Laura laughed as she watched him, he was enthralled with the combine.  She determined she would keep an eye on him to make sure he didn’t get hurt.  By the time she turned back to JC, he had moved so he was standing in front of her. 

Smiling he looked down at her, then opened his arms for her to step into.  She hesitated, glancing down at her filthy clothes, but he simply stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her, silencing her protests. 

“Hi,” she said into his shoulder, breathing in the scent that was unique to him.  She was wondering if he even remembered their brief touching of their lips.  As they pulled back, he grabbed her previously injured arm and lifted it, taking a moment to examine it.  In reality, JC was admiring the soft skin of her arm on his fingertips. 

Meeting her eyes, he responded in kind, feeling some of the tenseness leave his shoulders.  It had been a very trying time since she left and right now he was kicking himself for not staying in contact.  He had been trying to prove he could handle everything on his own, but just being back in her presence made JC feel much calmer.  He and Brandon had flown up here on a whim.  Brandon had been having a very hard time, dealing with his mom’s death and switching to a new school system.  JC was at his wit’s end, not knowing how to handle the boy’s rocky emotions.  Laura had such a calming presence, that he was hoping to get Brandon back on the right track. 

Laura took a moment to try to read JC’s eyes, there was a quiet desperation that he was trying so hard to hide and some other emotion, but before she could ask any questions, Brandon completed the circle of the huge machine and came to stand next to them again. 

JC shook his head slightly in response to her unasked questions.  She nodded once before turning her attention to Brandon.  “So what do you think?”

“Sweet, I’ve never seen one before.”

“I’ll have to give you a ride while you’re here.”  A huge smile broke over his face at her statement.  Then his attention was diverted to the semi that was pulling in.  “Oh man, I’ve always wanted to ride in one of those.  Run over some cars.”

“Would you like to ride?  Dad’s headed back to town in the other one.”

His expression was priceless and all he could do was nod.  “We’ll ask my dad if it’s alright with JC that you ride.”

Brandon turned to JC pleadingly.  “If Laura’s dad says ok, then it’s alright with me.”

Bob parked the semi and shut it off before climbing down and wandering over to the threesome. 

“Dad, this is JC and Brandon.  This is my father Bob.”  She quickly made introductions and the men all shook hands and exchanged pleasantries.  “Brandon would like to ride to town with you if you don’t mind.”  Laura and her father had an entire conversation in one look without words. 

“Of course not, ever ridden in a semi before, Brandon?”  Bob put a friendly hand on Brandon’s shoulder and guided him over to the full semi.  Brandon was talking a mile a minute as the two walked away.  Her father was fully aware of the situation as Laura had shared much since she had been back home.

JC sighed as he watched them leave then his attention went back to Laura who was again trying to read his expression. 

Mentally shaking herself, she asked, “Well, back to work, join me?”

“Are you sure?  I really didn’t mean to intrude or anything, maybe this was a bad idea and we should just leave.”  He stopped when Laura placed a hand on his arm. 

“You could never intrude.  Climb up and ride with me, let me know if you get bored, but I need to get this field off before the rain comes.  I won’t bite I promise and you can tell me about it – if you feel like it.  If not, that’s okay too.”

She climbed up the ladder again and took her seat waiting for him to take the passenger seat next to her.  As she again started the machine running and headed back down the rows, she fell silent waiting on JC to talk if he felt like it. 

“How long will they be gone?”  He finally broke the silence in the cab of the combine. 

“At least an hour, if not longer depending on the line.”  She responded, not taking her eyes or attention from the crop in front of her.  He took this opportunity to study her profile.  She wasn’t beautiful in the classic sense, her true beauty came from the inside, which was why he had flown all this way just to get her help with Brandon.  He wasn’t sure what kind of help he was looking for, just that he couldn’t handle it by himself anymore. 

“I’ve missed you, you know.  I don’t know why I haven’t called you lately.  I’m a jerk.” 

She blushed at his words.  “You were busy and the two of you had to learn how to live and take care of each other.  I understood.”

JC inhaled deeply, trying to put his feelings into words.  When he did, they came rushing out all at once.  “I don’t know how to be a parent to him.  He has stopped talking about anything that matters.  He closes up and it’s like no one can get through to him.  He goes to school and I don’t know if has any friends because when he gets home, he sits on the couch or goes in his room and doesn’t say a word.  The most response I’ve gotten from him is when I mention your name.  When I suggested coming to visit you, he immediately reacted.  When he saw you, that’s the happiest I’ve seen him.  When he went off with your dad, that’s the most I’ve heard him speak probably since you left.  I just…I don’t know what to do.”

During his tirade, his hands had pounded on his legs.  It was his turn to look straight ahead, but as Laura slowed she looked at the emotion that was just pouring off of JC. 

“Wow…JC – I had no idea you were having so many problems.  Why didn’t you say something?  Never mind, it doesn’t matter.  I’m so sorry it’s been so hard on you guys.  Is Brandon still going to counseling?”

He scoffed.  “Yeah, if I can get him in the car.  He won’t talk about anything that goes on so I don’t know if it helps at all.” 

“I guess my next question is – what exactly do you want from me?”

He laughed sarcastically as he shook his head.  He still didn’t meet her gaze.  “That’s just it…I don’t know.  I just know that Brandon responds to you.  I had this crazy thought that I would like to adopt him but I don’t know if that’s the best thing for either of us right now.  I…”  He trailed off.

Laura considered her next words very carefully.  It had been many weeks since she had spent any amount of time with either of them and it was apparent that many things had happened in that time. 

“JC…I’m here for you, anything you need.  I think that it is wonderful and very admirable that you want to adopt Brandon.  Have you talked to him about it at all?”

“No, I haven’t been ready for that yet.  It’s been a waiting game – waiting to see if Brandon will talk to me – waiting to see if we can adjust to each other, just waiting.”

“I think that’s very wise, life has changed so fast for both of you lately.  I’ll do whatever I can to help.  How long are you here and what about Brandon’s schoolwork?”

“Not long, I don’t want to impose on your time.  We arranged for Brandon to bring most of his homework with him.  The teachers are all very understanding of our situation and are working with us.”  He slowly relaxed against the back rest starting to feel comfortable and less stressed.

Laura decided that she would take the next few days to gain some understanding of the situation and help JC and Brandon any way she could.  But for the time being, she thought a change in subject was necessary.  Hopefully, her father was talking to Brandon and getting his perspective on the situation. 

They talked for the next hour or so, not touching on the troubles that were surrounding JC and Brandon.  She saw much of the tenseness leave JC’s body as he started to laugh and enjoy himself.  Laura pushed her own feelings for JC aside, she wasn’t sure how she felt now that he had inserted himself so rapidly back into her life.  She was glad but not sure what that meant.  She was sure that JC didn’t have any feelings for her and was just coming to her because Brandon responded to her.  The brief kiss they had shared was probably long forgotten by JC by now. 

JC rode with Laura as she filled the semi and darkness fell.  Just as she was shutting down, Bob and Brandon returned. 

JC called over to Brandon.  “How was it?” 

Brandon came bounding over in excitement.  “That was so cool.  Can I ride again tomorrow?”

Bob laughed.  “If it doesn’t rain, you can ride all that you want.  He helped open the chutes.”  He looked over at his daughter and again they shared a look.  Laura would be talking to her father privately later about what he had learned during his time with Brandon. 

“Well, Brandon, thank Bob for taking you and let’s head to a hotel.” 

“Nonsense, I’ve got guest rooms at my house and what better chaperone than a teenage boy.”  She threw in the last part for her father’s benefit, but knew he understood why she was offering. 

“Are you sure?”  JC offered one last time to head to a hotel.

“Positive, follow us.”  She and Bob headed to a pickup that was parked nearby and Brandon and JC headed to their rental.  Laura was going to use the five minutes she had alone with her father in the truck to gain useful information about his take on Brandon. 

After pumping her dad for information, he dropped her off at her back door.  She motioned to tell JC where to park for the night.  She was trying to remember what kind of shape her house was in. 

As they grabbed their suitcases out of the trunk, she started apologizing.  “I’m sorry but you’re going to have to excuse the mess.  I’m not home a lot right now so things aren’t up to their usual standards.”  Meanwhile she was just hoping she hadn’t left any dirty clothes on the floor anywhere. 

“Are you sure it’s ok to stay here, it won’t hurt us to stay in a hotel.  Everyone knows that I’ve spend more than my share in them.”

“Honestly, it’s no problem at all, let’s go in.  Have you eaten?”  She unlocked the back door and led the way in, cringing before she stepped into the kitchen.  She breathed a sigh of relief that she had loaded the dishwasher before she left for the day.  Her house really wasn’t as bad as she had thought. 

She flipped on lights as she walked through the house, giving a short tour as she headed up the stairs to the guestrooms.  She instructed them to make themselves at home before she headed for the shower back downstairs off her own bedroom. 

They settled in well.  JC relaxed for the first time since Brandon’s mother had died.  Brandon took to life on the farm as if he had been born there.  If Bob was around, he had a constant shadow.  Brandon even started opening back up to JC, like he had before tragedy had struck his life.  Laura gave JC and Brandon every opportunity to spend time together both with her there and alone together, getting back on even footing.  When it rained, she took them to her favorite local places where they all had a wonderful time together. 

JC had decided that they had spent enough time there and made plans to head back to their house in Florida.  Brandon didn’t like the idea and couldn’t understand why they couldn’t stay with Laura forever. 

Before someone said something they would regret, Laura pulled JC out of the house for a walk.  Brandon was settled in front of the tv watching a movie as they stepped out of the house. 

JC walked at a fast pace trying to out pace his frustration.  “I don’t know about Brandon any more.  I think this has been a good thing for him – thank you for putting up with us, by the way.”

Laura was rushing to keep up with.  “JC you can come any time that you want to.  It’s been a pleasure having the two of you here.  You are doing a great job with Brandon.  Talk to him about adopting him, see what he thinks of the idea, tell him about your experiences with adoption.  Tell him how you felt with your adoption.”

His pace suddenly slowed so that now the two were walking side by side.  He released a deep sigh and locked his hands behind his head.  “I just need to give it more time right?”

“Yeah, you do. It will get better, I promise.”

“I hope so.  He really looks up to you.  We both do actually.  I don’t know that either of us would have made it through any of this without you.”  JC dropped his hands back to his sides.  He stopped in his tracks as a thought occurred to him.  He voiced it aloud before Laura could form a response, she was several steps ahead of him. 

“Marry me.”  He said in an even tone, knowing deep down it was truly what he wanted and hadn’t acknowledged it until right now. 

She froze in her tracks before she spun around, her long hair fanning out behind her then settling over her shoulders unnoticed. 

“What?”  She asked in a shocked, breathless voice. 

He moved in front of her, reaching down for her hands as he repeated himself.  “Marry me, Laura.”

End Notes:
Well????  Let me know what you think.  I hope to have the next chapter up over the next couple of days.  Thanks for reading!
Chapter 14 by Lew
Author's Notes:

I know - I know.  I left a terrible cliffhanger last night.  Sorry I had a meeting and had to stop writing, but now today I'm off work and while I should be cleaning my house, I'm updating.  I'll try and get another chapter done today, but no promises. 

Thanks for reading and as always let me know what you think.  

“Marry me, Laura.”  As he grasped her hands tightly in his, her heart soared in joy and excitement.  Could this mean that he was in love with her?  “Marry me and help me raise Brandon.” 

Her heart plummeted to her feet.  She lowered her lashes so he couldn’t see the disappointment and sudden rush of tears in her eyes at his last statement.  She was attracted to him and was already in love with him, but with his words, she knew he could never feel the same way.  He only wanted her for Brandon, not for himself. 

Jerking her hands out of his, she stepped around him and headed back to the house.  “I never dreamed that the first time I heard those words, it would be as a joke.”  She tried to play off her deep feelings of regret and hurt.  Why, she wasn’t sure – she hadn’t been expecting it – never even imagined he would ask the question she most longed to hear.  However, in her dreams, the man asking would be deeply in love with her and she with him.  Not just as someone to help raise his foster child whom he hoped to adopt. 

He scrambled to catch up to her as she rushed away.  “What – a joke – I never meant it as a joke, I am completely serious!  Laura stop – just wait a minute!”  He finally grasped her upper arm and pulled her to a stop. 

He sighed trying to think how he could fix it.  It was apparent from her reaction she didn’t have the same feelings for him as he had for her.  What could he say to convince her to marry him?  Surely if he could just persuade her to marry him, love for him would follow.  He had to think fast on his feet if he wanted this to work. 

“Look, I know this may not be the ideal solution, but think about it.  If we get married, Brandon will have two parents who care for him.  Your strengths are my weaknesses and vice versa.  We make a great team, I think we’ve proven that well if you look back.  This way you could quit your job and just help out on the farm.  I know you hate your office job and this would give you the freedom to do whatever you want to do.  You’ll never have to worry about money again.  Brandon looks up to you and is settling in here so much better than he ever did in Florida.  Maybe the memories are too much for him down there, I don’t know.  Maybe…eventually…we can adopt a couple more kids, remember how we both talked about that?”

“JC, all that doesn’t mean we should get married.  You could buy a house up here if that’s what you wanted to do to get Brandon away from Florida.  Or go stay in your house in LA.  And what about all the times that you said you didn’t want a woman who was only after your money?  How many times did we talk about the women in your life who you thought liked you but were only out for your money?  You’re telling me to quit my job and just live off of you for the rest of my life?”

“But you’re not like those other women – you’ve proven that over and over.  You’re kind and considerate and caring and great with kids.  I really respect that about you.  I’ve got more than enough money to support us for the rest of our lives.”  He lightly ran his thumb over the back of her hand.  He was trying desperately to get her to say yes.  Love would come in time; he knew it and he would do whatever it took to marry her. 

She bit her bottom lip in confusion.  “To me marriage is forever, a lifetime commitment, no other men for me, and no other women for my husband.  Why would you want to tie yourself down to someone like me when you can go out and see the world?”

“That’s what marriage is to me too, I’ve seen the world and I feel more at home here than I ever did anywhere else.  Maybe – maybe for right now it’s a marriage in name only, a marriage of convenience.  Love will come in time.”  Both hearts were shouting in unison – Love is already here!  Can’t you see it?  Neither would say the words aloud though. 

Laura turned slightly away from JC, bringing her free hand up to rub her forehead.  She mumbled softly, almost to herself.  “I can’t believe I’m even considering this.”

His heart leapt for joy!  She was thinking about it.  JC knew her better that she thought; he went straight for her heartstrings.  “You know I’m going to have a hard time adopting Brandon by myself as a single man, but if I was married…”

She let out a deep breath.  He knew exactly what to say to sway her thinking.  “Can I think about it tonight?  This is a huge decision.”  One that would be so simple if you would just say three little words.  “I’ll have your answer in the morning.”

“Of course,” he said gently, seeing the many emotions cross her face.  “Take all the time you need.  If you need to talk in the middle of the night, I’m there.”

Pulling away, she whispered a soft good night and headed for the house.  He stuffed his hands in his pockets as he watched her walk away.  Now that the question had been asked, he knew it was the right thing.  He hoped and prayed anxiously that she would agree to marry him.  He would gladly meet any concessions she had.  If it meant a platonic relationship for a while after they were married, he would handle it – for her and only for her.  He hadn’t realized until the question left his lips just how much he loved her and needed her in his life. 

“Please say yes,” he whispered in the dusk surrounding him.  “Please!”

End Notes:
Review!!  Review!!  And have a great day!
Chapter 15 by Lew

Laura stumbled back to the house in a complete daze.  The man she just recently realized that she had been in love with for months had just asked her to marry him.  She should be celebrating with the man who loved her, but instead she was heartbroken.  He didn’t love her.  Would he grow to love her in time? 

She walked through the house and passed Brandon, not even hearing him ask if she was all right.  Walking into her bedroom, she snapped the door closed and collapsed on her bed, not even bothering to put on pajamas.  She never heard JC come in a few minutes later and have an upset Brandon shout at him.

***

Brandon jumped to his feet when JC made his way into the living room and dropped onto the couch next to where Brandon had been sitting. 

“What did you do?”

JC froze mid yawn to look up at Brandon towering over him.  “What?”

He punctuated each word.  “What – did – you – do?”

At the look of confusion on JC’s face, Brandon pointed toward the closed bedroom door. 

“Oh,” JC’s browed furrowed as he had no intention of sharing what had gone on outside.  “Nothing, why?”

“That didn’t look like nothing, she just walked through like she had no idea I was sitting here talking to her.”

“Did she seem upset?”  JC pretended nonchalance at the question. 

“I don’t know – she just wasn’t herself.”

“How do you mean?  How did her face look?”  JC sat forward, listening intently.

“I guess she looked like she was in shock or something.”  Now Brandon was even more puzzled at the self-satisfied look on JC’s face.  JC hopped up, grabbed Brandon around the neck with one arm and with the other he rubbed his knuckles over his head. 

“Thank you!”  JC nearly danced his way up the stairs to his bedroom, leaving Brandon downstairs wondering at the craziness of the two adults who were supposed to be taking care of him. 

***

Upstairs, JC undressed and slipped into pajama pants.  If she had looked like she was in shock, then he would take that as a good sign.  Perhaps that meant she had taken him seriously.  Never had he imagined himself asking a woman to marry him, let alone offering a platonic relationship at first, but if that was what it took for him to win the heart of the woman he loved then that was what he would do. 

He was already plotting ways to slyly worm his way into her heart.  Maybe he needed to get Brandon involved.  Just as he was getting ready to go spill the beans to his foster son, he pulled himself up short. 

What if she says no?  What if she decides this isn’t the life for her?  JC’s thoughts ran wild.  What if she never loves me?  He had a hard time catching his breath. 

Hearing Brandon’s foot steps on the stairs, JC rolled over and pretended sleep.  He wasn’t going to involve Brandon until he was sure that Laura would say yes.  Then they would all be able to celebrate and start planning their lives together.  Surely everything would fall into place. 

***

Downstairs, an entire different scenario was taking place.  JC had known exactly which punches to pull so that she was seriously considering his offer.  Her thoughts were running rampant.  Could she marry a man who didn’t love her?  Brandon would be out of the house in a couple of years, what if he regretted tying himself down after Brandon was grown? 

Then all of a sudden she heard a boyish giggle laughing at the tv in the living room.  Maybe it would be for the best if she married JC.  The teen in her house would always have a place to go even if JC never loved her.  They could be their own family. 

Why was she even considering this?!  Her family would be extremely upset if they found out she had married a man for anything other than love.  If she went through with this, there were a few stipulations that would have to be put in place. 

Hugging a pillow to her chest, she made her decision and knowing she wouldn’t sleep much, she began to lay out her plans for the conversation that would happen in the morning.  It could possibly be the most important conversation of her life. 

***

Neither of them slept very well that night.  Upstairs, he was trying to come up with more arguments to get her hand in marriage.  Downstairs, she was trying to come up with the words to convey all she wanted. 

In the morning, they both met in the kitchen.  Laura had it all planned out – she had prepared breakfast and had the table set for just the two of them.  Brandon would sleep for at least another hour so the two of them had plenty of time to talk. 

“Good morning,” JC announced softly as he walked in. 

“Morning,” she replied over the rim of her coffee cup.  “Have a seat and eat.”

His stomach revolted at the thought of food.  She certainly wasn’t acting as if she was going to accept his proposal.  He sat across from her and she handed him a plate full of eggs and sausage. 

Placing it in front of him, he waited for her to speak. 

“Before I tell you my decision, I need to ask you some questions.”

“Okay, anything you want.”  JC waited with growing alarm the longer Laura paused. 

“Why tie yourself down like this when Brandon will be out of the house in just a couple of years?

He could do this; he could answer these questions.  The rest of his life depended on how well he answered these questions.  “I don’t see it as tying anybody down.  It’s expanding our lives and fulfilling them.  Just because Brandon will be out on his own, doesn’t mean we can’t help other unfortunate kids that are out there.  We’ll have a lifetime together to decide what we want to do.”

“What about sleeping arrangement and kids of our own?”  She blushed as she rushed quickly through the question. 

He tenderly looked into her eyes.  “I would love to have kids of our own someday, but there’s no rush.  We can wait until we’re both ready and we can take as long as either of us need.  I can stay in the guest room until that happens.”

She shook her head and his eyes brightened.  “No, if I agree then this needs to look as real as possible.  I may not be ready for intimacy just yet, but to everyone but the two of us, it needs to look real.  Not even Brandon should know what we are doing.  My parents will definitely not understand why we are doing this so if we go through this, it…”  Her voice drifted off as he reached across the table for her hand.  He pulled it toward him and caressed it in both of his. 

“Like this?” 

“Um…yeah.”

“We can do that.  Any other concerns?”  She shook her head.  “Then what do you say?”

She took a deep breath before speaking her mind.  “Okay,” was all she was able to get out at the moment.  What had happened to her speech?

“Okay, what?”  He asked hesitantly.  He didn’t want to assume anything. 

Her eyes locked with his.  “Okay, I’ll marry you.” 

Almost in unison each lowered their lashes so the other couldn’t see the joy or hope hidden in them.  JC was the first to move and he kept a hold of her hand as he circled the table and tugged her to her feet and into his arms. 

“An engagement should be celebrated by a hug and kiss, don’t you think?”

Not waiting for her response, he lowered his head and they shared their second kiss.  Laura got lost in the feelings that his kiss stirred in her and all too soon JC pulled away.  He wanted to take this slowly as to not scare her away with the intensity of his love.  He would take this one step at a time as long as it took to gain her love. 

End Notes:
Review - review! 
Chapter 16 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for all the reviews!  They make my day!!  Have a great Easter in case I don't get another chapter posted. 

Sitting at the table, they began to make plans.  They decided on a very small wedding to be held in six weeks time.  That would give JC and Brandon a chance to fly back to Florida and drive the necessities back before the wedding.  For the moment, JC and Laura would home school Brandon until everything was settled and he could be placed into a permanent school. 

Once the crops were all off and they were married, then the three of them would head to LA for a month or so as JC filmed the next installment of ABDC.  Both of them were committed to Brandon and helping him succeed which is why they planned to have a home base at Laura’s home.  Wherever JC went, Brandon and Laura would go with him.  That way he was assured of stable family around him.  JC was going to get in touch with the authorities in Florida to see about starting the adoption process.

But first, they had to convince the people around them that they were marrying for love.  And they were about to go through their first hurdle, Brandon was noisily stomping down the stairs. 

Quickly shoving the lists they had in front of them out of the way, JC reached out and grasped Laura’s hand in his.  If she wanted him to play the loving fiancé, he would.  Only in his mind, he wasn’t playing, it was real. 

Laura’s cheeks were full of a becoming blush, he was taking this whole act seriously.  But they would have to in order to pull it off for their families and closest friends. 

“Good morning,” she announced to Brandon. 

“Morning,” he looked between the two of them not sure what was going on.  Then he remembered he was mad at JC for saying they were headed back to Florida so he started glaring. 

A hint of a smile crossed JC’s face, he knew exactly what was going through Brandon’s mind.  “Sit down for a minute, we want to talk to you.”

Sliding her hand out of JC’s, Laura grabbed a plate and filled it up before placing it in front of Brandon.  She sat back down and slid her hand back into JC’s as if it was second nature. 

“Am I in trouble?”  Brandon asked worriedly. 

“No way, we just have some news for you.  You see last night, I asked Laura to marry me and she has accepted.”  He raised the hand that held Laura’s to his lips with a smile. 

“You haven’t told him the rest of it,” she reminded JC. 

Lowering her hand back to the table, he turned back to Brandon, who was looking concerned.  “We would like to adopt you, if that’s okay with you.”

“You want to adopt me?”  Tears rushed to the teens eyes.  “No one has ever wanted me before, not even my mom.”  He started to sob, his head falling to rest on his folded arms. 

JC reached over with his free hand and rubbed Brandon’s back, trying to get him to calm down.  After a few minutes, Brandon began to gain control again and wiped his eyes with the tissues Laura pressed into his hand. 

“Is that alright with you, Brandon?”  Laura asked gently after he had calmed a little.

“You really want to adopt me?”  Brandon couldn’t believe that these two people cared for him enough to adopt him.  His eyes moved from one adult to the other.

“Yeah, we do.  So how about it?  Can I make the call that will set everything in motion?”

“So, I’d like live with you and this would be my home?  Would I have to call you mom and dad?”

Laura nodded at JC to answer this.  “Well, yeah, you’d live with us.  We were talking this morning.  Right now, we will home school you until we get settled someplace.  Sometime this week, you and I will fly back to Florida and pack and then drive back up here.  Then after we get married, we are going to head to LA so I can get some work done.  We are going to have a home studio built here so that I can work from here and this will turn out to be our home base, since we all like it here so much.  And as for mom and dad,” JC looked at Laura with a soft smile on his face.  “That’s up to you man, if you feel comfortable calling us mom and dad, we don’t have a problem with it, but if not we’ll still answer to JC and Laura.”  He turned his attention back to Brandon.  “But we don’t ever want you to think that we are trying to take the place of your parents.  They were a huge part of your life and if you want to keep your last name after we adopt you, that’s fine with us too.”

“So what do you say?”  Laura could see the answer in Brandon’s eyes, but wanted him to admit it out loud. 

“Yes,” he all but shouted.  The three jumped up and had their first official family hug.

***

Telling their families was an experience that neither would soon forget.  Laura’s family was told in person since they lived so close and the reaction wasn’t what they had hoped for.  JC and Laura held hands and gave each other light kisses when others were around to help it seem like they were in love and entering in a real marriage.  But Laura was pulled aside by her parents one day and asked if she were pregnant.  Was that why they were rushing into marriage so fast?

After getting over the embarrassment and not sure she had convinced her parents they were not expecting, she decided not to tell JC what people were thinking.  He had enough on his mind from telling his own parents over the phone. 

But little did she know, JC had the same conversation with his parents.  They couldn’t understand why he was getting married so quickly especially after his total denial for years that he would never marry. 

Both of them were frustrated and in a normal relationship would have each other to lean on, but not in this case.  They kept their feelings to themselves and were sure the other one was only acting loving when they were out in public. 

They were almost relieved to get some distance from each other for a while when JC and Brandon headed back to Florida.  Laura was making many of the wedding arrangements on her own.  She had quit her office job, the crops were harvested, and she was planning a December wedding to a man she loved, but was positive who didn’t love her in return. 

Even though they needed the space between them, the couple missed each other while they were apart.  Talking every day, they slipped back into the easy friendship they had shared months ago before Brandon’s mother had died.  Due to JC’s busy schedule, he and Brandon spent almost three weeks in Florida before they could make arrangements to move to Laura’s. 

At their return, it was only a week and a half until they would exchange their vows.  Since all the rumors were flowing about her being pregnant and how could JC leave her for three weeks while she was expecting, Laura had arranged for JC and Brandon to stay with a cousin who lived next door.  Hopefully some of the talk would subside at that.  Even though they slept next door, JC and Brandon spent all of their waking time at Laura’s, unpacking, painting Brandon’s room, and helping make it a home for all of them. 

***

JC heard the garage door open then close and hurried out to help Laura carry bags in from the car.  She had gone shopping for some last minute wedding stuff.  As they sat the supplies on the table, JC grabbed his open can of Pepsi. 

After dropping all of her packages, Laura looked over at JC and announced just as he took a sip, “If one more person comes up and congratulates me on our baby, I’m going to scream!”

JC began to choke so Laura hurried around to him to pat him on the back.  He gasped out as he tried to catch his breath, “What!  But I haven’t – I mean we’ve never…”  The coughing over took him again.  “Where did they get that idea?”

“Where did they get that idea?”  She repeated.  “Probably from the fact that we haven’t known each other more than six months, I stayed with you in Florida, you came running up here to stay with me, and we are planning a wedding in such a short amount of time.  Today, we even received our first baby gift.”

Laura grabbed one of the bags and took out something.  Holding two bibs in front of her, he began to laugh.  One said ‘I love my Mommy’ and the other ‘I love my Daddy.’

She tossed them back on the table as she said in frustration.  “I’m so glad you’re amused by this.  I can’t believe my family and friends would think that of me.”  Disappointed at his response, she told herself that this was just another way of him keeping distance between them.  If he was that freaked out about an impossible pregnancy, then he would never be okay with a real one. 

She walked into the living room and sank down on the couch with a loud sigh, rolling her neck.  JC studied her in concern, serious now.  She did look a little stressed and he probably hadn’t been helping as much as he should have been. 

He grasped her hands to pull her forward.  “Slid down on the floor for a minute.”

“Why?”  She asked.

“Just do it.”

She slid on the floor as he settled on the couch behind her, carefully swinging one leg around so she was nestled in between them.  He ran his hand down her arm to where she kept her hair tie.  Taking it off her wrist, he set it on his leg as he gathered her long silky hair into a ponytail.  He twisted the hair tie in the strands of her hair so he could have total access to her shoulders. 

He eased his thumbs into the tense muscles in her neck.  They were rock hard.  Maybe he should stop this whole marriage right now.  But selfishly, he couldn’t.  He loved her too much. 

His thoughts were interrupted as she sighed, “Oh, don’t ever stop.  That is wonderful.”  He began to rub her temples, easing away the headache that made itself known in her eyes. 

Wrapping both her arms around one of his legs, she leaned her cheek against his knee, nuzzling it in an almost loving way.  JC’s breath stopped as felt the stirring of desire.  Touching her like this, inhaling her scent overwhelmed his senses. 

“How can we make this go away?  I can feel how much this bothers you.”

His whole body froze as she leaned her head back to look into his eyes.  Her head was inches away from touching his growing desire.  “I guess we just wait it out and obviously when there’s no baby in the next few months, it’ll take care of itself.”  All of a sudden, her golden laughter rang out.  “Who knows how pregnant they think I am!”  She put her head back on his knee as JC exhaled slowly in relief and frustration. 

How was he going to sleep in the same bed as this woman, the love of his life, and keep his hands off her?  You will, he told himself, because she is the best thing that ever happened to you and you are not going to screw this up!

Chapter 17 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews!  I hope everyone had a great Easter.  The wait is over, but the story is far from it. 

All too soon the wedding was upon them.  Only family and their closest friends had been invited.  Even for such a small simple affair, JC had spared no expense.  There were flowers and candles on every available surface.  He had pushed aside all of her protests and worked and worked until he had uncovered every dream she had ever had about her dream wedding. 

She was a vision in white as she walked down the long aisle to her groom.  JC’s heart sped up as he watched her join him at the altar.  For now it might be in name only, but it didn’t make any difference in JC’s mind and heart.  He knew he would win her love. 

They each spoke their vows passionately from their own heart, knowing that for them, the vows were meant forever.  After the minister pronounced them man and wife, it was time to kiss his bride.  He placed the sweetest, gentlest kiss on her lips.  The touch had been light and brief, but Laura felt it all the way to her toes.  As they turned to head back up the aisle as husband and wife, she had to lean heavily on JC until she got her bearings back from that kiss.  The grin on JC’s face was partly due to the fact that he had just married the love of his life and partly to the reaction she was having to his kiss.  Maybe this wouldn’t take as long as he thought. 

***

Following the reception, JC and Laura headed home.  Brandon was to spend the night with her parents so the couple could be alone.  They had refused all offers of leaving Brandon with family any longer than that, using the excuse they didn’t want to disrupt his schedule and send him into a panic being away from them as so many changes were happening in his life.  A lame excuse but apparently many people bought it. 

Not much changed after they made it into the house.  They changed out of their wedding finery and had a great time watching a movie together.  Afterwards, JC let Laura have time alone to get settled into bed.  This would be the real test for him.  She had offered a platonic relationship for a while, but wanted Brandon to think there was nothing off about their marriage so JC and Laura would be sharing a bed. 

Thinking fast on his feet, JC had purchased a new king size bed to replace the bed Laura had been sleeping in.  Maybe more room between them would make it easier.  No, it wouldn’t, he was just fooling himself.  This would be a true test of his manhood. 

Giving her plenty of time before he headed to bed, he made his way cautiously into their room.  He needed have worried, he had given her so long, she had fallen asleep with the light on and a book resting on her chest.  He paused for a long moment, surveying his wife.  She was beautiful in her own way, but even better, she let him be himself and accepted him even with all his flaws.  She complimented him in every way. 

Changing his clothes, he finished his nightly ritual before climbing in next to her.  He placed a pillow lengthwise between them, hopefully an obstacle that neither would cross.  This was going to be even more difficult that he had first thought, but he could do it, he had to. 

***

Early the next morning, they collected Brandon and headed to the airport.  They were headed to LA.  JC was a little nervous.  In LA, the paparazzi would be all over his marriage and he didn’t want to hide his new family, but it would be a shock as they had never experienced such a thing. 

He had tried to prepare them, but also planned to shelter them as best as he could.  On the plane, Brandon had the window seat, Laura the middle, and JC next to the aisle.  Shortly before they were to land, JC began to talk.

“I don’t want you to think that everything in the house is sacred.  This is not my home, this is a showplace that I don’t even know why I agreed when the decorator came in.  I don’t live like that and you can change anything you want to in the house.  And if it doesn’t work for you, we’ll find another house.  You have free rein to redecorate whatever you want to.”

“I’m sure it’s not that bad and especially not bad enough to move.”  Their heads were resting close to one another so they could speak in lowered voices.  Brandon was fast asleep.  How bad could the house be?

JC’s security picked them up from the airport and rushed them to a huge SUV while someone else grabbed their luggage and took it JC’s house.  On their way home, JC took them to his favorite Chinese restaurant for a very delicious meal.  He pointed out the sights as they headed to his house.  Brandon looked from one side to the other trying to take it all in.  He kept starting sentences and not finishing them as something else caught his attention. 

“I’ll get you all the security codes and phone numbers for my security and assistant.  That way if you need anything, they will be able to get it for you.”  He said as they pulled through the gates to his mansion.

“This is where you live?  And I’m supposed to have a problem with this?”  Laura questioned as she took in the two-story brick home with a sprawling lawn and perfectly manicured flowerbeds.  The four-car garage was attached along the side of the house and she got a glimpse of a huge deck on the opposite side. 

“You haven’t seen the inside yet.”  He remarked under his breath as they exited the backseat. 

She didn’t hear him as she was too busy trying to understand why she wasn’t supposed to like it here.  JC shoved open the front door and let Laura and Brandon enter ahead of him.  Now Laura knew what he had been talking about. 

She tried to wipe the shock and horror off her face before JC saw it, but she was too late.  He bent down and whispered a soft “told ya” in her ear.  With wide eyes, she took in the horrendous orange and green walls.  The artwork hanging all around the foyer was just as bad – modern, eclectic, and garish in their colors.  Feeling weak, she was almost afraid to see the rest of the house.  

JC took her hand and pulled her into a much safer room, much to her relief. 

“The rest of the house is much more sedate, but the foyer…well the designer thought I was a heavy metal artist and wanted to, actually who knows what she was thinking.  I’ve never taken the time or effort to change it, but we can change it tomorrow if you want.  It’s long overdue.”  They saw the formal living room, a bathroom, and JC’s office before heading into the family room.  To Laura’s amusement, the two boys were immediately drawn to the entertainment center.  Seeing that they were both engrossed in the ‘big boy toys,’ she took off exploring on her own. 

As she reached the kitchen doorway, she let out a scream. 

JC jumped into action at the scream.  Had a fan broken into his house?  Had she fallen and hurt herself?  He skidded to a stop next to her, examining her up and down.  Nothing appeared to be wrong and nothing seemed to be out of place in the kitchen. 

“What’s wrong?”  He demanded, clutching her arm. 

“Is this your kitchen?  Have you seen this kitchen?  Oh my goodness…the stove…the pantry…the countertops…this is perfection!  How can you ever leave this room?”

Relieved that nothing was wrong, he watched in delight as she ran around the room, examining every inch.  This was what he hadn’t even known he had been missing.  A family.  His wife was in his house, in his kitchen, in his bed – so to speak - where she belonged.  His almost son was playing a video game just down the hall.  To anyone looking in, they were the perfect family – soon, JC told himself, don’t rush it.  You have a lifetime with this woman, a lifetime of happily ever after. 

***

Deciding the huge family room needed a good cleaning; Laura threw her hair up in a messy ponytail as she surveyed the damage.  Grabbing the remote for the dock where her iPod was sitting, she flipped it on.  It was set on shuffle so she was pressing the forward button until she found something she wanted to clean along to.  She didn’t realize JC had come home and was leaning in the doorway watching her. 

He raised a brow at some of the songs on her iPod.  She had everything from *NSYNC to Amy Grant to Wicked to Bowling for Soup and everything in between.  He wasn’t sure what she was searching for but apparently, she hadn’t found it yet.  He grimaced when he even heard one of his own songs skipped over.  But as she skipped a Boys II Men song, he found sudden inspiration.      

Surprising her, he took the remote from her and backed up a couple of songs until he found the Boys II Men I’ll Make Love to You song.  As it started playing, he tossed the remote onto the couch and tugged her into his arms, not giving her a chance to protest.  Lifting her arms, he placed her hands on his shoulders.  Then he tucked her head into his neck and rested his cheek on her soft hair.  His arms were wrapped tightly around her waist as she slid hers the rest of the way around his neck and started playing with the locks of his hair.   They began to sway gently to the music.  Laura closed her eyes and just enjoyed the sensations; maybe JC was beginning to fall in love with her.  Neither was paying too much attention to the song, they were just in the moment with one another.  As the song ended and another random one began, JC drew back far enough to look into her eyes. 

Laura unconsciously licked her lips and his attention shifted.  Her eyelids slid shut as she anticipated his warm, gentle kiss.  But just as his lips were a breath from hers, the front door slammed and Brandon called out for her, asking what was for supper.  At the slam of the door, Laura jumped and moved quickly out of JC’s arms.  She said something that JC couldn’t make out as she headed for the kitchen.  Brandon walked into the family room and plopped down on the couch. 

But as Brandon reached for the tv remote, JC groaned in frustration.  “Brandon, I love ya man, but we need to work on your timing.”

Brandon just looked up in confusion as JC exited the room and shrugged to himself – crazy adults.   

JC joined Laura in the kitchen.  He had been so close to declaring himself until Brandon had walked in and ruined the mood.  Asking what he could do for the supper preparations, he began to make the salad he was assigned.  Laura called Brandon in to set the table and after finishing he wandered back to check out the sport scores leaving JC and Laura alone standing side by side at the counter. 

Laura was having a very hard time; she hadn’t been sleeping.  Every night she would lay beside her husband in bed and have to fight her desire to reach out to him – he didn’t love her and she wouldn’t be intimate with a man who didn’t love her – even if he was her husband.  The dance they shared had been wonderful, but she didn’t know how much longer she would be able to keep her distance. 

They had been playing out this charade of a marriage for over a month now and she kept reminding herself that JC was just playing a part.  He didn’t have any real feelings for her. 

All at once, it became too much to bear.  JC was telling a funny story from his touring days and she was pretending to be listening but then…

Shaking her head, she said aloud with a strangled cry, “I can’t do this any more, I’m so sorry.”  She finished with a sob and rushed out the back door. 

JC looked over at her stunned; her outburst had come out of nowhere.  She ran past the kitchen window and he called to Brandon to come watch supper, going after her. 

She had run quite a distance from the house before stopping.  With her hands on her knees, she gasped for breath as he heard the words coming from her lips, not knowing he was nearby. 

“Oh God, please help me.  I can’t go through with this any more.  What do I do?”

“Can’t go through what any more?”  He asked startling her into spinning to face him.  At the tears on her cheeks, he knew this was the end.  She couldn’t stand being married to him.  She was going to tell him she wanted out, he knew it.  He had scared her away with the dance.

“I can’t live like this.  I can’t stand sleeping next to you every night.  Waking up to you every morning.  Spending all my time with you.”  He struggled for air, she really meant it.  “I’m sorry but I am so in love with you it hurts and I can’t pretend not to be any more.”

In a flash, he was in front of her.  “Say it again.”

“I’m in love with you, I know you don’t feel the same way, but I can’t hide it any more.  Please don’t hate me.”

He laughed as he picked her up into his arms swinging her around in complete and utter joy before placing her gently back on the ground.  He looked deep into her eyes and spoke truthfully from his heart. 

“Laura, I have been in love with you for so long.  I think I started falling in love with you in the hospital that night, when you grabbed my hand and wouldn’t let it go.  I’ve been praying every day that soon you would feel the same way.  When did you realize you were in love with me?”

“You really love me?”  He nodded.  “You mean it?  Tell me again!”  She demanded. 

“I love you with all my heart and all my soul.”

“I love you too, you are my true soul mate.  I fell in love with you when you came after me and carried me to the car.  You were so strong and smelled so good.”  She giggled.

“I can’t believe it’s taken us this long to admit it to one another.”  He kept one arm wrapped tightly around her waist holding her pressed against him.  With the other hand, he brought it up to her face.  Cupping her cheek, he slid the pad of his thumb across her lips.  They parted at his soft touch as his hand skimmed across the silkiness of her cheek. 

“Right now, this moment, our future begins.”  He ended with a whisper against her lips.  Laura felt dizzy and knew it was his strong arms holding her up.  He immediately took complete possession of her mouth.  As many “practice” kisses as they had had, none of them compared to their first real, true love kiss.  His tongue swept inside to stroke hers.  He took his time exploring every millimeter of her mouth, branding her as his. 

She felt weak when he finally broke the kiss so they could both breathe.  Their foreheads rested together and they shard the air between them.  As he moved back to her lips, they heard a shout from the house.  It was Brandon calling them for supper. 

With a promise in the kiss they shared, JC whispered.  “Tonight, after Brandon goes to his friend’s house, tonight is our night.  Tonight we start looking into the future.”

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!  Thanks for reading. 
Chapter 18 by Lew

A couple of days later, JC had arranged for Brandon to stay with Joey for a week or so.  He was taking Laura on a long overdue honeymoon up the coast where they could be totally alone.  The suitcases were on the bed almost ready to go when Laura had a sudden thought.

“Hey baby, I’ve a question for you.”

“Sure, anything.  You know that.”  JC responded distractedly as he headed into the closet to grab some more clothes. 

“If it’s ‘not 99, not 98’, how many ways are there to make love to your wife?”  She called out. 

There was complete silence for a moment from the closet, then heavy, deliberate footsteps headed her way.  When he emerged, his eyes were dark with need.  Laura was biting her lip to keep from smiling while a brow rose questioningly. 

“Well?”  She prompted.  “I was just curious.”

Grabbing her hand, he pulled her in the direction of the bathroom.  “Let’s count them, shall we.”

“Oh, are we going to ‘drip through the hallway, cause we started in the shower’?”  She laughed as he pressed her against the door he just closed.  “Hey if you close that, how are we going to ‘hit the kitchen counter’ and finish?”

“‘Turn off the cell phone and crack out the Gatorade, cause it’s time to get to business and there’s nothing left to say.’”  JC sang jokingly before laughter rang out – it was a good thing Brandon had already left as their laughter rang through the house before silence fell over the bathroom and the hallway and the kitchen, just to get started. 

***

Several months later, their marriage was as real as they could make it.  They loved each other passionately, argued occasionally, and joked constantly with both each other and Brandon.  Brandon had settled in very well, finding several different sports to fill his time with.  For the moment, he was still being homeschooled, but had made so many friends he didn’t miss attending a real school.  The adoption had been finalized so they were a true family.  JC was busy filming ABDC so for right now the family was living in LA, with frequent trips back to Laura’s hometown and Florida. 

Laura skipped down the stairs and entered the kitchen.  JC was standing on the opposite side of the island, reading the morning paper with a cup of coffee in his hand. 

“Morning,” she sang out as she leaned on her elbows and reached her hands across the counter for his. 

“Hmm…”  He finished his sip of coffee before setting it and the paper down and grabbing her outstretched hands.  “Good morning,” he replied as he leaned over for a kiss.  “You must have been really tired, it’s not very often I get up before you.”  When he would have straightened back up and grabbed his mug again, she tightened her grip so he couldn’t. 

As they leaned over the island, Laura taunted him.  “I know it’s your birthday next week and since you’re getting so old, you may not remember, but…” She drew out the last word as he got a playful, threatening look on his face.  “Can you remember back to the week or so before we got married?”

“Well, let’s see…that was what about 100 years ago so my mind is a little fuzzy, but for the most part, yeah, why?”

“Funny, do you remember me being upset about something?”  She said with a smirk.

Looking up toward the ceiling, he could remember her being upset and rubbing her shoulders, but couldn’t remember the reason.  “I remember what happened after, but not the reason.”  He shifted a little on the counter, making himself more comfortable since he wasn’t sure what she was leading toward. 

“It was because someone had given me a gift…”  She paused, waiting for him to remember.

“Oh, yeah – a couple of baby bibs, now I remember, so?”

He still didn’t get it.  Laura lowered her voice and spoke in an intimate tone.  “Well, in just a few months, we are going to have an occasion to use them.”

Understanding slowly dawned in his eyes.  Pulling away from her grip, he flattened his palms on the counter, jumped up and kicked off with one foot on the island, swinging himself over and firmly onto his feet in front of Laura.  Throwing her head back, she laughed in delight as he immediately sank to his knees.  With an awed look on his face, he meticulously unbuttoned the bottom buttons on her blouse as her hands smoothed the hair back from his face.  He spread his hands over her stomach where even now their child grew. 

“How long have you known?”  He demanded, looking up into her eyes. 

“About five minutes, I just took a test this morning.  I thought about waiting and telling you on your birthday, but two seconds later I decided I couldn’t keep it a secret from you for that long!”

Rising to his feet, he wrapped his arms around her.  “Who cares, this is an amazing birthday present!  I don’t need another one ever!”  He was flying high on life at the news he was to be a father. 

Playfully, she remarked, “So does this mean I never have to get you another birthday, Christmas, or Valentine’s Day present ever again?”

“Absolutely!”

Wrinkling her nose, she told him, “I’m going to remind you of that next week on your actual birthday.”

“A baby!!  Seriously, this is the best gift I could ever hope to receive.”

“It’s mutual, you know.  I hope you know this will be the most loved baby on the earth with the best brother in the world.”

“We have to tell Brandon!”

“Let’s wait until the news sinks in for us before we tell Brandon.  Then maybe we should tell everyone next week when they are all here for your birthday, what do you think?  If you don’t mind sharing the limelight.”

“Who said anything about sharing, everyone is going to know how much of a man I am!”

“Oh yeah baby, you’re a stud!”  She whispered against his lips, “At least until I hate you for making me fat and I can’t see my swollen feet, and am going through the agonizing process of labor and delivery.” 

“Oh, you know you are so much stronger than I ever will be in handling pain.”

With a gleam in her eye, she agreed.  “True.”

“I am amazed at what women go through to bring life to this world and if I could switch places, I’d like to say I would, but…”  He exhaled sharply when her fist hit his stomach.  “No, seriously, I would if I could, but the next best thing is getting you whatever you want whenever you want it.”

“Oh really,” she said coyly.  “Well, I’m thinking about taking this celebration upstairs, think you can handle that?”

“Baby, that’s what I do best!” 

He laughed at her response whispered in his ear as he swung her up into his arms and rushed up the stairs.  No time to waste. 

***

Katie, JC’s assistant and cousin, absentmindedly answered JC’s cell.  It was on vibrate and she just happened to feel it in the pocket of his coat.  He was in the middle of taping ABDC and had left his phone with her as he always did. 

“Hey, Laura, how’s it going?”

The connection must have been bad.  She could hardly hear her.  “I’m sorry, what did you say?”  Getting up, Katie walked toward a window, hoping to hear her better. 

“Tell JC….I’m so sorry…don’t know how…gone…didn’t mean it…sorry…home”  And the connection dropped off.  That was odd, but Katie shrugged, she would tell JC at the next break.  They must have had a fight or something. 

Swinging back around to see how long until the next break, she was distracted when one of the production assistants tripped over a cord on the floor and spilled a cup of coffee over her laptop keyboard before knocking it to the ground where it broke in half.  She slid JC’s cell back into his pocket as she yelled at the production assistant.  Laura’s phone call had already been forgotten. 

 

**Song - 100 ways by JC Chasez **

Chapter 19 by Lew

Several hours later, taping had finished for the day and JC tiredly made his way to his car and driver.  All he wanted to do was go home.  He slipped on his jacket that Katie handed him – she was babbling on about her broken computer.  They both got into the back seat and JC dug in his pocket for his cell phone, still ignoring his cousin. 

Wow, 50 missed calls and 10 messages.  Not unusual but they were all from Laura, Brandon, and the house.  They must really miss me. 

He punched the buttons that connected him to his voicemail and typed in his password, relaxing against the back of the seat. 

Laura’s voice came through, it seemed to be a little weak.  “JC, I really need you.  I’m so sorry about…please come home, I can’t do this alone.”

Next message.  “Are you mad?  I’m sorry.  I can’t stop it, please come home.  It hurts so bad.”

What was going on?

The next few messages came from Brandon.  “JC, Laura was supposed to pick me up from practice and she’s still not here.  Can you come get me?”

“Just wanted you to know I got a ride home, don’t worry about me.”  The sarcasm even translated over the phone. 

He skipped two messages from Joey.

“Have you seen Laura?  I’m hungry, can I order a pizza for supper?”

“JC – why aren’t you answering your phone!!  What do I do?  Laura’s collapsed.  There’s so much blood.  I’m calling 911.”  Brandon’s shaky voice shook JC to his very core. 

Frantically he went to the next message.  “EMS is here, they are taking her to Memorial Hospital.  I guess if you care, you can meet us there.”

With a hard hand, he clasped the driver’s shoulder, “Hurry, Memorial Hospital.  As fast as you can.”  JC choked on the words before listening to the next message.   He held up a hand to silence Katie, who had finally realized something was wrong. 

“Don’t you care?  They won’t let me in to see her and they need you to sign some papers so they can treat her.  I guess your tv career is more important than your wife.  I’m done.” 

Frantic now, he dialed Brandon’s phone, but it went straight to voicemail.  Hoping it was all a joke, he tried Laura’s, it rang and rang before the voicemail kicked in. 

“JC, what is going on?”  Katie asked, looking at his alarmed face. 

“Laura collapsed, Brandon said there was a lot of blood.  I don’t know what’s going on.”  He leaned forward, trying to get the car to move faster. 

Katie’s hand came up to her mouth.  “Oh my…JC I’m so sorry.  I took a call from Laura earlier, but it was a bad connection.  It seemed a little odd, but I forgot to tell you when my computer was ruined.”

“You knew about this?”  He spat out. 

Tears came to her eyes at his anger.  “I didn’t know it was this serious.  If I had, you would have known.  I’m so sorry.”

As the driver sped around the corner to the hospital entrance, JC unbuckled and unlocked the door, his hand on the handle, which he opened before the car came to a complete stop.  At a dead run, he turned sideways to slid through the automatic doors as soon as they were wide enough for his body.  He slammed his hands into the counter at the front desk, already demanding.

“Laura Chasez, where is she?  Is she alright?” 

“One moment, sir.”  The receptionist typed something into her computer. 

But as JC started to yell, wanting the location of his wife, he heard a small voice calling his name.

“JC, you came.”  Brandon had tears running down his face.  JC heart sank at the sight. 

Grabbing Brandon by the shoulders, he gasped out a question.  “How is she?”

“I don’t know, they won’t let me see her, they say I’m too young.”  Katie had made her way in by that point and wrapped an arm around Brandon as JC received his wife’s room number. 

“Stay with Katie,” he called as he took off again.

Bypassing the elevator, which he deemed too slow, he took the stairs three at a time in his haste to achieve the fourth floor.  He shoved open the stairway door, almost taking out a nurse. 

“Laura Chasez, where is she, how is she?”

The nurse raised an eyebrow.  “And you would be?”

“Her husband.”

“Oh, I’m sorry Mr. Chasez.  It’s just that we’ve had quite a few people trying to sneak in here today.  Let me take you to your wife.”  He almost outpaced the nurse in his hurry to get to his wife. 

“How is she?  What happened?”  He skidded to a stop as the nurse motioned to a closed doorway.  The sympathy in her eyes was undeniable. 

“I’ll send the doctor into you as soon as I can.”

He cautiously opened the door, scared of what he was going to find on the other side.  Stepping through, he clicked the door closed behind him.  Laura was lying on her side, facing away from the door, not moving.    

With his heart in his throat, he made his way to the opposite side of the bed.  Her eyes were open, staring vacantly at the plain white wall in front of her.  He bent over, getting in her line of vision and gripped her hand tightly.  Her gaze never shifted; she didn’t even blink.  Her skin was moist, but very cool to the touch. 

“Laura?”  He spoke very softly.

“Hmm?” was her only response. 

“What’s happened?”

Coughing, she licked her lips and started to reach for the cup of water next to the bed.  Before she could move too far, he had the cup in his hand and was placing the straw at her lips.  Taking a long sip, she reclined back on the bed and looked at him for the first time.  He was driven to his knees at the pain on her face. 

“What happened?  I lost our baby, that’s what happened.”  Her voice was totally devoid of emotion. 

He breathed out in a voice full of pain.  “Sweetheart, I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s my fault.  I lost the baby.  It had to have been something I did.  I know how much you were looking forward to being a daddy.”

“Listen to me, it is not your fault.  Nobody knows why it happens, but you didn’t do anything.  We will have another baby someday.  I’m sorry I wasn’t here for you, I should have been.”  He said earnestly.  “You shouldn’t have had to go through this alone.”

A knock on the door interrupted them.  JC looked up to see the doctor entering.  Laura never moved. 

“How’s it going in here?”  The doctor was looking through the chart as he checked the dosage in her iv drip.  He never expected an answer. 

“Uh…Mr.….  uh, Chasez, could I talk to you privately for a moment?”  The doctor was losing JC’s respect by the second, especially since he never looked at his wife or even knew her name. 

Pressing a kiss on Laura’s cold cheek, he followed the doctor into the hallway, watching as he flirted with every nurse in the hall.  They stopped in front of the nurses station, where every nurse left when they saw him coming.

“Is there another doctor available?”  JC spoke with flashing eyes and an arrogant tone.

The doctor was taken aback, “Excuse me?”

“I want a doctor with a bedside manner who will actually look at my wife and have a little sympathy for what she is going through.  I-want-another-doctor.”

Spinning on his heel, the doctor walked away without another word.  Slowly, JC became aware of clapping behind him.  A lone nurse who had witnessed the exchange had a huge smile on her face.  “He has needed that for so long.”

Scrubbing a hand over his face, he asked.  “Can you find me another doctor who cares?”

Serious now, she replied.  “Certainly, sir, is there anything else I can do?”

JC paused to think.  “How do I get her through this?”

“Well, in my experience there are only two things that can get a woman through a miscarriage.”  JC waited expectantly.  “Love and time.  She has to understand that you love her, even when her body betrayed her like this.  And she needs time to come to grips with what happened to her and your baby and to grieve.”

“That’s the secret?”  He questioned.

“Yes, sir.  I’ll get you another doctor.”

“Thank you,” JC called out as the nurse headed in the opposite direction. 

Speaking as she turned, she said, “I’m so sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you,” he remarked quietly as he again entered Laura’s room. 

Chapter 20 by Lew

They kept her overnight for observation.  She had lost so much blood and had become so dehydrated because of it, the new doctor wanted her full of fluids before she left.  JC left her side only once to go down and talk to Katie and Brandon.  Laura begged him not to tell anyone what had happened.  Stating she didn’t want the sympathetic looks and overbearing concern, JC promised to adhere to her wishes.  He simply told Katie and Brandon that she had some feminine problems and didn’t want the news shared.  Once she got out, she didn’t want to talk about it.  Brandon accepted the news and one look from JC had Katie shutting her mouth.  He watched them walk out before he went back to her bedside. 

Not sleeping a wink, JC kept a steady vigil at his precious wife’s side.  He watched her as she slept, remembering the last time he had stayed beside her,  the night he started falling in love with her.  All of a sudden, reality hit and he realized that his child was gone.  The baby that they had been so excited about, they would never get to meet.  The baby they had only known about for a couple days.  He had been so focused on getting Laura through the day, he hadn’t stopped to think about his own loss as well.  He leaned his head back and let the tears roll down his cheeks, not bothering to wipe them away. 

***

Pale and shaky, Laura was wheeled out of the hospital the next morning, wondering to herself how the sun could be shining when all she could feel was darkness in her soul.  She knew JC was trying his best to be supportive, but right now all she wanted to do was be alone in her grief. 

She knew she had to put on a good face when she got home so that Brandon didn’t suspect anything.  Luckily the doctor wanted her to rest for the next day or two, so she could use that excuse as a reason why she was so tired.  She didn’t want to scare him or JC, but knew she had to deal with this on her own. 

JC parked the car Katie had brought them in the attached garage and quickly circled the car to help Laura out.  He walked behind her in case she stumbled or felt faint.  Brandon met them at the door and Laura opened her arms to him.  Gently his own arms encircled her. 

“Thank you Brandon for getting me help so quickly yesterday.  I’m sorry I didn’t pick you up from practice.”

“It’s alright, just don’t do that again, okay?” 

Laura forced a laugh.  “I hope not.  I think I’m gonna go lay down for a while.  And don’t you have to get to practice?” 

He glanced at his watch.  “Yeah, Katie is going to take me and pick me up.”  He grabbed her again, gently yet fiercely.  “I love you, I’m so glad you’re better.”  And he ran out the door. 

“Ready to head upstairs?”  JC placed a hand on the small of her back. 

“Yeah.”

They made their way to the stairs and Laura paused dreading the climb.  Right now the stairs went on forever.  Not even hesitating, JC swung her up into his arms and bore his wife up the stairs where he set her gently down in their bed.  She sighed as she relaxed against the mattress. 

“Is there anything you need?”

“A glass of water, please.” 

“No problem.”  JC headed into the attached bathroom to get a glass of water.  He almost fell over when he stepped all the way in.  This must have been where Laura had passed out.  There was blood all over the floor and the EMT’s had left behind wrappers for bandages in their hurry to get her to the hospital.  What had Laura had to go through by herself?  She had to have been in extreme shock as to not been able to think clearly enough to call 911. 

“JC?”  Laura called out, when he didn’t reappear.  JC quickly tried to compose himself, filling a glass with water, and going back to hand it to her. 

“Will you be alright for a few minutes?  I want to take a shower.”  JC was planning to clean the bathroom before she had a chance to see it and be reminded. 

“A few minutes, right!  I’ve never known you to take a quick shower.”  She tried joking to lighten the mood.  “I’ll be fine.  I’m just going to rest here, I’m so tired.”

“If you need anything, just yell.”  

Laura flipped on the tv and rolled onto her side.  So far she had been trying to push the whole incident out of her mind.  If she didn’t think about it maybe, just maybe, it wouldn’t be true. 

***

JC couldn’t believe it had only been a week ago that he had learned he was going to be a father.  And yet they only were able to celebrate for four days before losing her or him.  Just as the doorbell rang, JC realized tomorrow was his birthday.  He certainly didn’t feel like celebrating and he didn’t think Laura would either.  But as he walked to the door, he remembered that both their families were coming out for a few days to commemorate the occasion. 

Opening the door, he looked over their families as he felt Laura’s arm wrap around his waist.  In shock, he looked down at her.  She shook her head lightly as both were engulfed in hugs from everyone.  He kept a close eye on her, this was the first time she had interacted with anyone but him or Brandon since she got out of the hospital.  She had hardly even moved from the bedroom. 

Her eyes had shadows in them if you looked closely, but JC noticed that she never let anyone study her.  She moved from person to person, never lingering too long. 

“Can we get everyone something to drink?”  JC asked in a loud voice over the chatter.  Requests came from all over the room.  Leaving Brandon to entertain, JC guided Laura into the kitchen. 

“Do you want me to tell them to leave?  I can just tell them that you are not feeling well.”  He stepped in front of her, forcing her to stop gathering glasses.  “You don’t need a lot of company right now.  I can pay and have everyone stay in a hotel and you can have quiet and rest.”

“I’m fine.”  JC scoffed at that.  “Alright, I will be fine.  This will be good, get my mind off everything, get things back to normal.”

Doubtful, he replied, “Okay, but if you change your mind, let me know.”

“I will, I promise.”  She slid her arms around his waist and rested her head on his shoulder.  “Thank you for understanding and helping me through this, I love you.”

Pressing a kiss on her lips, he knew it was far from over.  Laura hadn’t even cried over it yet, JC was trying his best to follow the nurses suggestions of love and time, but other than that he had no idea to help his wife. 

Little did the couple know that Laura’s mom had been listening in the hallway to part of their conversation.  She scurried back and pulled JC’s mom aside. 

“You were right!  I think they are going to make an announcement while we are all here.  I just overheard JC offer to send everyone to a hotel since she wasn’t feeling well.”

“See I told you something was up.  If we stay here, then we’ll just pitch in and do everything so Laura doesn’t have to lift a finger.”  They shared a jubilant hug before rejoining the rest of the family. 

***

The celebrating and family togetherness went into the evening and through much of the next day.  It wasn’t often that the two sides of the family were able to spend time together.  Rumors had spread like wildfire behind JC’s and Laura’s backs about the hopeful pregnancy.  It was only a matter of time before someone let something slip. 

At supper that night, everything came to a head.  Several different conversations were taking place at once, until JC’s brother shouted over the noise. 

“So when are you two going to make the announcement that everyone is talking about?”

Everyone froze and turned their attention to the couple sitting next to one another.  JC slowly tucked Laura’s hand in his as he sent a glare toward Tyler. 

“I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.”  His voice hardened. 

“Oh come on, we’re all family and we’re waiting.”

“Tyler,” JC’s tone gave a dangerous warning to his brother.  Others in the room looked  between the two men as if they were watching a tennis match. 

Not catching the undertone, Tyler continued on.  “The baby, that’s why we’re all here right?  Laura’s pregnant.”

Smiles began to light up the room as the families waited to hear the news.  Laura jerked her hand from his and with a stifled sob, stood, and mumbled, “Excuse me.”  She ran out of the room and up the stairs as JC jumped to his feet and headed toward Tyler, fists tightly clenched.  He grabbed Tyler by the collar and yanked him to his feet. 

Before he could punch his brother, JC felt his mom’s hand on his arm.  “JC?”  She asked.  “What’s going on?”

At once, JC’s shoulders drooped and he released Tyler with a sigh and stepped back.  “We were going to make an announcement today.  We just found out about the baby 8 days ago…but…four days ago, Laura had a miscarriage…If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to see to my wife.”

He exited and left behind a stunned and completely silent dining room.  Ascending the stairs, he heard desperate, body wracking sobs full of pain.  Tears immediately came to his own eyes, listening to her pain.  At a fast jog, he walked through the bedroom door she hadn’t shut and closed and locked it behind him.   

Laura was lying facedown in the center of the bed clutching a pillow fiercely to her chest.  JC climbed in next to her and settled his back against the headboard.  As she felt the bed move, Laura moved into JC’s open arms, where he settled her in his lap, her face tucked into his neck. 

JC rubbed his hands up and down her back soothingly.  He breathed in the sweet smell of her shampoo and let her cry it out.  There was nothing he could say at this point to get her through this.  He had to let her express her grief in her own way in her own time. 

Much, much later, her sobs had quieted to mere shudders running through her body.  JC thought she had fallen asleep when out of the blue she spoke. 

“I’m sorry about the baby.”  Her voice quivered. 

“Hey now, it’s not your fault.  There was nothing you could do to prevent it.”

Releasing a shuddering breath against his neck, “I know, I realize that, but that doesn’t change the fact that our baby is gone.”

He rubbed his cheek over her hair, “God needed our baby up there more than we did.”

“Yeah, I guess.  We’ll have another someday.”  Her fingers moved restlessly over his chest.

“Yes, we will and we can always adopt to fill in between our own kids.”  Laura’s soggy laugh against his chest warmed his heart. 

“You know I wouldn’t have chosen for people to find out like that, but I needed to cry and heal.”

“I almost punched Tyler.  He needs to learn to watch what he says.”

As she tipped her head back, she said, “My knight in shining armor.  Thank you for being there and helping me through this.  Have I told you how much I love and appreciate you?”

He brought his hands up and rubbed the tears on her cheeks away with the soft pads of his thumbs.  “Every day, in everything that you do.” 

She let out a deep sigh as she stroked a hand over his sopping wet t-shirt.  “I didn’t mean to give you a shower.”

“As long as they were healing tears, you can give me a snot shower anytime.”  He was extremely relieved to find that Laura was getting back to normal.  “Want me to draw you a bath?”

“No, thanks, I think I’m just going to hop in the shower real quick, if you don’t mind.  Are you going to head back downstairs?”

“Nah, you’re the most important person in the world to me and tonight it’s all about you.”  He grunted as she stuck an elbow in his stomach as she climbed off his lap.

“Sorry…I knew I married the most amazing man on the earth.”  She started to stand, but quickly sat back down on the edge of the bed.  “Whoa, headache.”

JC scooted to the edge next to her and stood.  Bending he scooped her up into his arms and carried her to the bathroom.  “I guess we’re just going to have to shower together so you don’t pass out, huh?”  JC joked to hide his concern. 

After helping Laura shower, JC quickly finished his own and dried off hurriedly.  Pausing as he drew pajama pants on, he thought he heard voices from the bedroom.  Surely Tyler wasn’t back for more. 

He yanked open the door and saw Brandon lying at the foot of the bed with Laura sitting at the head.  She patted the mattress next to her so JC would join them. 

“I thought we owed Brandon an explanation for everything that’s been going on around here the past week or so.”

JC situated himself comfortably facing his family.  “Sure, that’s a good idea.”

“First of all, let me begin by saying we never intended you to feel left out and certainly not to find out about everything in front of everyone else.”

“You know if you don’t want me around anymore just say so.”  Brandon said darkly. 

“You know that’s not true, don’t even think that.”  JC spoke sternly. 

Starting again, “We were so surprised by this pregnancy that we wanted a couple of days to let it sink in before we told anyone.  You know the day you found me in the bathroom?”  Laura waited for Brandon’s nod as JC reached out for her hand.  “JC had the next day off and we had made plans to tell you in the morning and go out for a big breakfast to celebrate before we spent the day doing whatever it was that you wanted to do.”

Seeing Laura struggle to get a hold of her emotions, JC picked up the story.  “It’s true, but when you found her, everything changed.  We didn’t want to tell people and have them react like they certainly will tomorrow morning when we go downstairs.  This was personal and Laura especially needed time to get over it.”

“You see, Brandon, it doesn’t matter if or when or how many other kids we have, you will always be our first.  Unfortunately for you though and fortunately for any others, you are the one who we get to make our biggest mistakes on.  But you are old enough that you can tell us when we’ve screwed up, and we will screw up.  That is one thing I can promise you.”  JC nodded emphatically in agreement to Laura’s statement.  “Any younger siblings you may gain over the years will be so thankful to you and look up to you as the best brother anyone could ever have.”

“Whether you like it or not, you’re stuck with us for the rest of your life.” 

“Looking back, I realize that we should have told you everything so much sooner, but we didn’t want to bring back painful memories or burden you in any way.  Can you forgive us?”

“You really scared me, you know?  I didn’t know what to do!”  Brandon sat up. 

“I know, I scared myself and JC too.”

“She certainly did.  And I am so grateful that you were here when I couldn’t be.  I promise you, I will never be out of contact for so long again, okay?”

Seizing the opportunity, Brandon asked, “Can I sleep in here tonight with you guys?”

The couple spoke their agreement in unison.  JC slid to the middle of the bed, lying on his back.  Laura immediately curled against his right side and nestled her head on his chest.  Brandon crawled to JC’s left side and propped himself up on his elbow looking down at his parents. 

“We may not say it often enough, but that doesn’t diminish our feelings, we love you Brandon.”  Laura looked over her husband’s chest to her son.

Smiling, Brandon replied.  “I love you too, mom – dad!”  It was the first time he had called them anything other than by their first names. 

Tears of joy leapt to Laura’s eyes, the tears of sorrow for now were gone.  JC wrapped  an arm around Brandon’s neck to pull him closer in the embrace.  This was what life was about; what made life complete. 

End Notes:
Thanks for reading - Review!!
Chapter 21 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Thanks for reading and reviewing.  You inspire me!!

Nervously, hand in hand, JC and Laura presented a strong, united front as they exited their bedroom the next morning.  Their families were bound to be overbearing and want an explanation.  JC didn’t think Laura would be up to all their sympathies so he was determined to remain glued to her side.  He would rush her away if necessary. 

A hush fell over the kitchen as the couple entered, Brandon was the only one who kept eating at the island, everyone else stopped and stared.  The two moms were the first to move.  They almost ran over to Laura, engulfing her with hugs.  Laura however maintained a tight grip on JC’s hand so he was included in the embrace. 

“I’m so sorry, it’s all my fault.  I overheard you guys talking about you not feeling well and just assumed it was morning sickness.  I’m so sorry to have brought all this up.”  Laura’s mom had tears in her eyes as she clung to her daughter.  Laura’s hand gripped JC’s even tighter than before. 

“You didn’t know, mom.  I understand.”

“No, your mom had nothing to do with it.  I told her I wondered if you would be making an announcement soon.  If I hadn’t done that, none of this would have happened.  It’s my fault.”  JC’s mom tried to shoulder the blame. 

JC’s jaw was tightly clenched as he tried not to rein in his emotions.  Her fingernails were digging ever deeper into his skin with every passing moment. 

“I –” Laura looked desperately at her husband, trying to find the words. 

JC had had enough.  “Look, this is exactly why we didn’t want to bring it up.  It’s painful enough without having to relive it over and over.  Laura is – no, we are dealing with it the best way we know how.  But being constantly reminded isn’t going to do anyone any favors.  We both appreciate your love and support, but she’s not feeling well, she lost an awful lot of blood and is still trying to come to grips with everything so forgive us if we don’t want to hash out every little detail.”  The rest of the family was taken aback by his anger, but JC could feel Laura sagging against him more and more. 

Wiggling his fingers to release them from Laura’s tight grip, he put a strong, supporting arm around her waist as she tucked her head into his shoulder.  With his opposite hand, he tenderly smoothed his fingertips over her soft hair and silky skin. 

“Let’s just drop it, ok?”  Laura mumbled in the quiet, but everyone heard her words. 

“I just need to say one more thing and then I’ll never bring it up again.”  Tyler avoided looking at his brother, sure that the daggers being shot at him would severely wound if not kill.  “I was completely insensitive last night.  I should never have brought it up.  If – no – when the two of you have kids, it’s your own business.  I take full responsibility for upsetting you last night.  I ignored the warning signs that JC was trying to give me and thought I knew best.  I am so sorry for causing you any more pain.  Can you ever forgive me?”

His passionate plea spoke to Laura’s heart and she motioned to him with her free hand.  She placed one hand on his cheek as she forgave him.  “While that wasn’t your intention, you actually helped me.  I hadn’t cried yet and last night you forced me to express my grief.  While I don’t wish the experience on any woman or couple, it happened for a reason.  We will never forget the little person that we only knew about for four days,” she looked up with a gentle, teary smile at JC.  “But I’ve come to realize it was nothing that I did or didn’t do and have no reason to believe it will happen again.  However,”  she looked around the room at everyone,  “please don’t ask anymore.  When there is an announcement to be made, we will be ecstatic to let everyone know, but in our own time.  Let’s put this behind us and move on, okay?  Now what’s for breakfast?”

The family acted a little stilted for the rest of the morning.  Afraid to say too much, unwilling to trigger any unhappy memories.  JC, Laura, and Brandon tried to act normal but it was hard with everyone around them walking on eggshells. 

Pleading tiredness, Laura escaped with JC’s help for a little quiet time to their bedroom.  Groaning she flopped back on the bed while JC opted for the comfortable chair near the window. 

“That is exactly why I didn’t want to share the news.  How long do you think it’s going to be before they start treating me normally again?”

“Well, normal is subjective so –”  His words were cut off as a pillow sailed through the air towards his face.  Serious now, he finished his thought.  “I really don’t know, they are all leaving tomorrow and it’ll be awhile before we see them again so maybe …  How are you really feeling?”

“Physically or mentally?”  She turned on her side and propped her chin on her elbow to watch him. 

He studied her right back.  “Both.”

She took a deep breath and let it out again before speaking.  “Honestly, physically, I don’t feel that bad for losing so much blood.  I still feel really tired sometimes, but I’m hoping that will go away soon.  Mentally, I’m getting there.  You know how I tend to internalize everything, so I’m trying not to, but it’s hard.  I’m afraid that it will happen again and when do we stop trying?”

He started shaking his head halfway through.  “You said it yourself downstairs, we have no reason to believe that it will happen again so we don’t need to worry about that now.  Besides the fun is in the trying anyway, right?”  His eyebrows wiggled up and down in suggestion.  “We’ll just wait a while before we start trying again for a baby.  We weren’t even really planning this, just knew it was a possibility when you went off the pill.  But meanwhile, once you are completely healed and feel 100% better, we will practice and practice and practice.  Cause practice makes perfect right?”

“If we get any more perfect, I’m not sure I’ll survive.  But I have to say, practicing with you is a definite perk of being married to you.  It might even outweigh the disadvantages.”   

She jumped off the bed on the opposite side as he stood in mock anger.  “Disadvantages – there are no disadvantages.  I am the best husband ever.”  He stalked around the bed as she darted into the bathroom. 

Allowing him to catch her, she snuck her arms around his waist as she looked into his eyes.  “I have to agree with you there.  You are perfect in every way and the love that we share is amazing.  I am so blessed to have found you and thank God for you every day.” 

“Ditto,” he whispered as he kissed her.  Before it could get too heated, he pulled away.  “Shall we go back downstairs for a while and see if they are normal yet?”

“Yeah, but my family is definitely more normal than yours!”  Hand in hand they descended the stairs arguing over whose family was the most normal.  The silly argument was just what they needed in order to face their families.

End Notes:
Don't forget to review!
Chapter 22 by Lew

No one was more relieved that their families were gone than Laura.  She loved everyone deeply but the strain of trying to avoid the topic of her miscarriage was very stressful.  Her loud sigh after she closed the door as she leaned on it did not go unnoticed by JC. 

Chuckling a little at her relief, he tugged her along behind him into the family room.  Falling into the corner of the couch, he pulled her down next to him, so close she was almost in his lap.  She automatically snuggled into his chest and relaxed for the first time since she had miscarried and certainly for the first time since the families had descended. 

“Glad they’re gone?”

Halfway asleep already, Laura mumbled something in response as JC pressed his lips to her temple and settled in for a nap. 

An hour or so later, Laura awoke with a start when the door slammed.  Brandon had arrived home from practice.  He grabbed a drink from the kitchen and plopped down into a chair across from where JC and Laura were as he announced, “What’s for supper?”

Stretching as she couldn’t stop a yawn, she glanced at the clock on the mantel.  “Wow, is it that late already?”

“Apparently,” JC said sleepily.  “How was practice?”

“Good, I think we will win the game next week, we are looking really good.”  He paused and went back to his original thought.  “Supper?”

JC stopped Laura from rising to prepare something.  “How about a pizza and movie night, just the three of us?”

“I’ll order!”  Brandon jumped up to order as JC and Laura said in unison, “No hot peppers!” 

Laura swung her legs up on the couch and laid down using JC’s lap as a pillow.  “You have the best ideas.  I didn’t really want to cook tonight anyway.”

“That’s why you married me, isn’t it?”  He smoothed her hair down and away from her face. 

“Hmmm… you could be right.”  She joked. 

Brandon made his way back in after ordering, asking JC for money.  JC lifted his hips to get to his wallet in his back pocket, grabbing it he tossed it to Brandon to get money as the two men argued over what to watch.  Laura settled the argument by declaring that if they couldn’t agree then they could watch the new romantic comedy. 

With horrified looks at each other, the men quickly agreed on another option that even Laura was looking forward to.  The movie had them laughing the whole way through even as they headed up to bed watching and listening as Brandon imitated parts of the movie. 

Hugging their son at the doorway to his room, Laura slid an arm around JC’s waist as they walked to their own room for bed. 

“I don’t know why you ever said you didn’t want to get married and have a family.  You do a wonderful job at both.”

“It’s because of whom I’m married to, you make it so easy.  I never would have tried this without you, you are the other half of me, someone I spent my life looking for and never realized until you charged into it needing a hero.”

“You really are, you know?  My hero.”  Their lips met in a promise and with desire gaining strength, he softly clicked the door shut behind him, never losing contact with her lips. 

***

Several weeks later, they again shared a movie night and pizza together, something that had become a weekly occurrence.  Brandon had headed upstairs, one of his friends had called and he wanted privacy, leaving Laura and JC downstairs by themselves.  JC sat in middle of the couch with Laura’s legs in his lap.  He was absentmindedly rubbing her feet and calves as he sat engrossed in the movie. 

Barely aware that Laura had answered the ringing phone, he was startled when her foot kicked his thigh, getting his attention to turn the volume down.  He tuned into her conversation, listening to the seriousness of her tone, wondering what he had missed. 

“How old is - ?”  She paused listening to the answer.  Her eyes met JC’s.  “I can’t make that kind of decision on my own, I need to talk to my husband.  Can you give me 10 minutes to talk to him about this?  Ok, can I reach you at the number that you called me from?  Ok, I’ll give you a call right back.”

Ending the call, she turned serious eyes on him.  “Since we are still foster parents, they called to ask us if we could take a little girl.  Her parents and older brother were in a car crash earlier today and were all killed.”

JC took a deep breath as he thought about it.  “How old is she?”

“Six.”

He started rubbing her legs again, thinking.  Something suddenly occurred to him.  “How do you feel about it, taking in a little girl, she will need a lot right now and what about a baby of our own?”

Closing her eyes, she pondered her answer.  “I think we should do it.  I know we are still trying for a baby of our own, but how can we turn down a little girl who needs help?”

He studied her eyes, deciding he liked what he saw.  “Then I think we should do it, let’s check with Brandon though too.”

“I’ll go get him,” JC tightened his grip on her legs, stopping her from getting up. 

“No need,” he pulled out his cell phone and quickly sent a text to the boy upstairs.

“That’s sad,” Laura commented.  “We don’t even need to get up anymore and we are all in the same house.”

He shot a sly grin her way as loud footsteps clomped down the stairs. 

“What,” Brandon whined as he entered the room.  “I was busy!”

“Sit down, we need to talk to you.”  Brandon looked between the two of them at JC’s statement. 

He sank into his normal chair. 

Laura started to explain.  “We got a call a few minutes ago asking us to take in a little girl who lost her parents and brother today.  She doesn’t have any other family.  We wanted to see what you thought about bringing her here to live with us for a while.”

“Like you did with me?”  Brandon questioned.

“Yeah, kind of.”

“I think you should do it, you were both there for me in the worst time of my life.  I don’t know that I would still be alive if you hadn’t cared enough to take me in.  If we can do that for another kid, I think we should.  I’ll help out in whatever way I can.”

“Brandon, we are so proud of you, I hope you know that.  This little girl is only six but will need a brother to lean on.  Hers is gone, but I know that you can help her through this, maybe better than Laura and I.”

“Yeah, well…”  Brandon lowered his eyelashes to hide the moisture. 

Laura sniffed.  “I need to call them back and tell them to bring her over.”  She walked into the kitchen to make the arrangements as JC looked at his son with great pride.  He was turning into a remarkable young man.    

End Notes:
Short, but the next one should be longer.  Let me know what you think!
Chapter 23 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's been so long. 

Orders flew from Laura as she rushed around trying to make an organized house even more perfect.  Flying up the stairs, she headed to a guest bedroom to try and turn it into a little girls room as fast as she could.  She had sent JC up to the attic to grab some stuffed animals that she had played with as a child.  She quickly changed the bedding to pink sheets that she and JC had received as a wedding present.  They could get some things tomorrow that would help her feel more at home.  As she rushed around the room, she called out into the hallway for Brandon to bring one of the comfortable rocking chairs from the sitting room across the hall.  She figured the little girl, whose name she didn’t know yet, wouldn’t be able to sleep so Laura planned to stay in the chair as long as she was needed – just like she had with Brandon. 

Sooner than she thought possible, the doorbell was ringing and the family rushed downstairs to greet their newest member.  With a critical eye, she looked over her family and decided they didn’t look too bad.  With a loving smile toward his wife, JC twisted the door knob and opened it to see a stern looking woman and a scared little girl with tear tracks on her dirty face.  Knowing his wife, he simply gave her a look to convey his feelings as he opened the door wide and invited them in. 

“Welcome, come on in.  I’m JC, this is my wife Laura, and our son Brandon.  Who do we have here?”  He knelt on one knee on front of the little girl as Laura put her hand on his shoulder. 

“This is Sophie.  Say hello, Sophie.”  The girl simply tucked her chin deeper into her chest as she studied the floor in front of her.  Sophie had yet to look at any of them.  The woman shook the arm that she held, trying to force Sophie to speak.  “Sophie, I’m talking to you.”

Laura interrupted.  “That’s ok, Sophie, have you eaten, are you hungry?”  Sophie slowly glanced up, keeping her chin tucked into her chest, looking at Laura through her bangs and nodded.  Holding out her hand, Sophie took it quickly, immediately wiggling to get away from the Child Services woman. 

Shooting a hard look at her husband, conveying her feelings on the woman, Laura escorted Sophie to the kitchen, making idle chitchat as the woman demanded to have her paperwork signed.  Laura could hear JC reply in a calm tone.  Brandon followed the two into the kitchen 

“Sophie, I want you to meet Brandon, and my name is Laura, if you need anything or have any questions, just ask one of us okay?”  Laura lifted Sophie up to sit on the counter in front of her.  So Sophie, what are you hungry for – a cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, grilled cheese?” 

Sophie lifted a hand and rubbed her eyes as she tried to stifle the sobs that were bursting from her little body.  It broke Laura’s heart and just as she was about to lift Sophie into her arms, JC called for her to come sign the paperwork.  Brandon immediately moved over and gathered Sophie into his arms and began to rock back and forth.  With one last look, Laura left the kitchen. 

Laura hurriedly signed the paperwork that was presented to her and left JC to usher the woman out.  The kitchen was now empty as was the family room.  JC joined Laura just as she was beginning her ascent to the second floor. 

With a hand on her arm and a finger up to his lips, he halted Laura when she would have entered Sophie’s new room.  Brandon was inside talking to Sophie and the couple stopped to listen to his words. 

“You know Sophie, JC and Laura aren’t my real parents either.  My real mom died too.  Yeah, JC took me in before he married Laura.  And if I had to pick anyone in the world to live with, I would always pick the two of them.  They aren’t scary at all and if you get scared ever, they’ll make it so you’re not scared.”  Laura leaned back against JC’s chest while he wrapped his arms around her waist.    

“I know you’re sad and don’t know what’s going on right now, but I’m here for you.  You will always miss your parents and brother, but JC and Laura will help you all that they can.” 

JC leaned down to whisper in Laura’s ear, “Obviously, we must be doing something right, huh?”  He couldn’t quite hide the lump in his throat. 

Laura wasn’t sure how long they stood there listening to Brandon murmuring comfort to the little girl.  When all was quiet, Brandon made his way from the room, whispering that Sophie was now asleep.  Laura wrapped Brandon in a tight hug before heading in to check on their newest charge. 

JC looked proudly at his son, this boy was turning into an amazing young man. 

***

Sophie clung to Brandon; he was her safety net.  Brandon didn’t mind; he knew exactly what she was going through, but now with the funeral over, it was time for Brandon to head to practice. 

Sophie’s screams reverberated through the entry hall, her hand was held tightly in JC’s as Laura practically pushed Brandon out the door to his ride to practice.  “Sophie will be fine, Brandon, you can’t be with her 24/7 – go to practice.”

JC lifted Sophie up into his arms as she kicked and punched with all her might.  He wrapped an arm tightly around her arms after he took a couple of punches to the face that made his eyes water. 

Laura moved in close behind Sophie, grabbing her feet an instant before they would have connected with a sensitive part of JC’s anatomy.  She leaned in so her lips were close to Sophie’s ear.  JC wasn’t sure what she was saying to Sophie over the screams, but whatever it was appeared to be working. 

Slowly, the screams subsided as Laura whispered in Sophie’s ear.  JC loosened his grip as Sophie twisted to move into Laura’s arms.  Laura released Sophie’s legs, perhaps a little too soon, to pull Sophie into her arms.  A flying kick caught JC unaware in the area that just a moment before he had been grateful for the miss. 

“Take her,” he grunted painfully as he half tossed Sophie to his wife. 

“Are you alright?”  Laura asked as JC collapsed to the floor.  Sophie had immediately wrapped her arms and legs around Laura in a vice grip.  All Laura could do was look on in concern as her husband folded in on himself. 

“I just need a minute,” he ground out through gritted teeth. 

Laura began pacing with Sophie in her arms, murmuring words into her ear as Sophie cried out her tears of sadness and frustration.  When Sophie fell asleep from exhaustion, Laura climbed the stairs and put her in her own bed for a while.  She came back downstairs to check on her husband who had somehow made it to the couch in the family room. 

His face was still pale as he spoke, “I hope you aren’t counting on me for children anymore.  I think that did me in.”

“Aww, baby, I’m sorry, can I get anything for you?”  She sat down next to him and gently rubbed his thigh. 

“Yeah, a new set of – ”

“Joshua Scott!”

“A drink would be great.”  He looked over at her innocently. 

She kissed his temple as she got up to grab him something to drink.  What was she going to do with him?

***

While it was still a rough adjustment for Sophie, she began to settle in and trust both JC and Laura.  She went back to school, but still spent an enormous amount of time with Brandon. 

One day after Sophie had been living with them for about six months, Brandon was working on his homework at the kitchen table and Sophie was at school, he posed a question that had his parents stop in their tracks.  Laura had been preparing lunch and JC had come up from his studio for a break. 

“So are we gonna adopt Sophie or what?”  Brandon asked point blank. 

JC and Laura looked at each other before Laura asked, “What do you think about it?”

“I think you should, obviously you guys are meant to be parents and do you really think you’ll be able to send her away easily.” 

Laura walked over and gave Brandon a big hug while she laughed.  “I think you’ve been hanging around us too long, we have been talking about doing just that, however there is something else we have to consider as well.” 

JC moved over to put an arm around them both.  “You see Brandon, I just discovered that I’m pregnant again.”

Brandon’s eyes widened before he jumped to his feet.  “I’m going to get another brother or sister?  What took you guys so long?  Are you feeling okay?  I don’t want you to go through what you did before again.”

“Yes, you are getting another sibling; we were just waiting for the right time; yes, Laura is feeling okay; and we hope and pray that we won’t have to go through a miscarriage again.”

“Is that why you guys are just talking about adopting and not moving forward?”

JC took a deep breath before he gave an honest answer, “Yeah, that definitely was a consideration, but Sophie fits in so well here and you are a wonderful brother that as long as you agree we will get the process started before we talk to Sophie about it.  We don’t want to get her hopes up in case something were to happen.  So what do you think?”

“I think it’s great, you guys didn’t have to take me in, but you probably saved my life by doing so.  And Sophie – well you didn’t have to do that either.”

“Well, what do you say about forgetting about your homework today and going out for ice cream for lunch?”  JC’s suggestion was met with great enthusiasm and the family that was about to become larger headed out to celebrate. 

However, Laura held JC back an instant.  A thought had just occurred to her.  “Obviously, that kick several months ago didn’t do that much damage.”

He looked confused for a moment before he recalled the incident that had him collapsed on the floor.  “That’s true, but there could be lingering damage, you’d better check it out tonight.” 

“Gladly,” she rose on her tiptoes to place a kiss on his lips. 

“You know a kiss makes any booboo go away,” he said suggestively. 

“That can be arranged, I – ”  Laura was interrupted by Brandon wondering what was keeping them.  The couple just exchanged a look full of promise and intent before heading out for their ice cream lunch. 

End Notes:
Please review. 
Chapter 24 by Lew

Propped on his elbow, he covertly studied his wife who was lying next to him in their bed on her back.  Pretending to read, he looked under his eyelashes as she struggled to get comfortable in the last days of her pregnancy.  Her back had been bothering her all day; she hadn’t been able to find much rest today.  JC had tried massaging and rubbing her back but nothing helped.  She had at long last settled on her back gaining a small measure of relief.  He watched her tired profile as he thought.  Finally giving up all pretenses, he asked the question he had been wondering about for a while, before he lost his nerve.  

“Are you going to tell me when you go into labor?” 

She blinked, thinking she hadn’t heard the question right.  “What?”  Placing the book down by her side, she turned her head to face her husband.

He simply looked at her without speaking.

“JC, where is this coming from?”  She was truly puzzled at his question.

“I’m just remembering how we met…”  He said chewing on his bottom lip. 

Laura could see how much this was bothering him so she reached a hand to grasp his comfortingly.  “Baby, that was completely different, I didn’t know you from Adam.  And the broken arm wasn’t something that you caused.  This…this”  She motioned to her distended stomach.  “you caused, if I’m not mistaken.  Believe me, you will know when I go into labor.” 

Laura searched his eyes for a moment, trying to discern what was truly bothering him, but then a more urgent need emerged. 

“Help me up, I need to pee again.  I’ll be so glad when the twins are here and I have my body back again.”  JC tugged her up to a sitting position and placed a supporting hand on her back as she stood. 

“Now what brought this on all of a sudden?”  She waddled into the bathroom, leaving the door open to hear his response. 

He flopped back down to the bed as he thought about it.  “I don’t know, I guess I’m just nervous.  You know that I didn’t even know you existed even three years ago.”

“Are you blaming this all on me?”  Laura asked jokingly from the bathroom.

He sighed deeply as he paused to think.  “Well you know just think of the changes since you charged into my life… you break your arm and stay with me, then I stay with you… we adopt an orphan…”

“Um, Jace?”

“Then we got married and adopted another little girl...”

“JC?”

“And now the twins will be here any day now …”

“Josh?”  Laura’s voice was strained, but JC was rambling. 

“If someone had told me even three years ago, that I would be married and have a teenaged son who’s almost ready to get his driver’s license and a 8 year old daughter and twins on the way, I – ” 

Laura came to the bathroom door and interrupted his rant, “Joshua Scott!” 

“What?”  He lifted just his head up off the bed to look at her.  His eyes widened at her appearance and he leapt off the bed in one motion.  Her pajama pants were soaking wet. 

“My water just broke.”  The two just stared at each other for a moment before Laura started giggling nervously.  “Does this answer your question about knowing when I go into labor?  You timed that question just right, didn’t you?” 

He brought a hand up to scrub at his face, almost as if he wasn’t sure this was actually happening.  “Wow, I didn’t expect this to happen tonight, are we ready?”

“Jace, I don’t think we have much choice now, do you?  I think you had better go wake up Brandon so he knows we’re leaving, Katie’s is coming, and that he needs to get Sophie up for school tomorrow.  You can call Katie on our way.” 

“Alright,” JC said as he began to head towards Brandon’s room. 

In short order, he was back and in two strides was in front of Laura, who had moved to grab some clothes out of the dresser.  Her hands were tightly gripping the edge of the dresser as she breathed through a contraction.  With one hand, he cupped her cheek, with the other her placed it tenderly on his children, waiting for the pain to pass.  “I wouldn’t want to go through this with anyone else.  Just remember I love you and am so grateful that you are in my life.”

Laura simply nodded and let out a deep breath, her face pale.  “I think you need to get ready; things are moving pretty fast, you know how my back has been hurting so much today?”  She paused as he nodded.  “I think I’ve been having back labor most of the day.”

Brandon had now made his way into the bedroom, just in time to see JC scrambling to get dressed.  Brandon was excited about having two new siblings, but was wondering just how much his and Sophie’s lives would change when Laura and JC had two new babies of their own, not adopted.  Brandon thought it was inevitable that he and Sophie would be pushed aside for their real kids now.

It was with mixed feelings that he waved as JC and Laura sped out of the driveway on their way to the hospital.  Things were certainly about to change around here. 

*** 

Brandon took a deep breath as he jogged down the hall to Sophie’s room.  There were butterflies riding a rollercoaster in his stomach, but he didn’t want to give Sophie any reason to be upset. 

He poked his head into her room, rolling his eyes when he saw her dancing around to one of her cd’s.  “Hey shorty, let’s go.  Dad just called and said they’re almost here.”

Sophie immediately ran and shut off the music before bounding into the hall and grabbing Brandon’s hand.  She tried to yank him down the stairs, pulling with all of her might. 

Brandon had opted not to go visit Laura and the twins in the hospital, deciding instead to meet them with Sophie, who was too young to go to visiting hours.  He wanted the illusion of still having a family as long as he could.  Katie had stayed with Brandon and Sophie the past two nights, but she had left earlier when JC had requested that the new family have some privacy. 

Together the two adopted members of the family stood in silence in the kitchen, hearing the car pull into the garage and doors open and close.  There was a murmuring of voices coming closer to the door.  Sophie clung tighter to Brandon’s hand, almost disappearing behind him as the door slowly opened. 

The first thing they saw was Laura’s tired but smiling face in the open door.  She held the door for JC who was carrying two car seats very carefully.  As soon as JC was inside, she knelt down with open arms for Sophie to run into.  When Sophie saw that, she released Brandon’s hand and darted into Laura’s arms. 

“Hmmm…I missed you so much, Sophie.”  Laura looked over Sophie’s shoulder to see that Brandon hadn’t moved.  He was watching the baby carriers very closely and Laura could see his thoughts all over his face.  As soon as JC had placed the carriers on the counter, he walked over to Brandon, bending his head down to look into Brandon’s eyes.  Laura couldn’t hear what JC said, but Brandon nodded before giving JC a hug. 

Laura let go of Sophie, who immediately ran to JC to be picked up.  “Brandon?”  Laura questioned and he turned his attention from the carriers to her, making his way to her to give her a hug.  “I’ve missed you, Brandon.”  He simply nodded. 

JC was tickling Sophie, who was squealing in delight as Laura wrapped an arm around Brandon’s waist and moved over to the laughing pair.  “Are you two ready to meet your new brother and sister?  They have heard so much about you.  You guys are going to be the best big brother and sister anyone could ever have.” 

A mewling sound had Laura removing her arm from Brandon’s waist to check on Jacob before he could wake up Rose. 

“Can I hold one?”  Sophie whispered her request in JC’s ear. 

“Can you hold one?”  JC flashed a quick grin at Laura.  “I don’t know, are you a big sister cause only big sisters and big brothers can hold them right now.”

“Yeah,” Sophie said shyly. 

“Well then, let’s get you settled so you can hold Rose.  Brandon?  How about you?  Want to hold your little brother?”  JC carried Sophie over to the couch and got her situated with a pillow. 

Brandon shrugged, not bothering to respond until a raised brow and a stern look from JC had him murmur his agreement. 

Laura held Jacob gently against her chest, trying to sooth his soft whimpers.  “Go ahead and sit down, Brandon.  Now both of you need to support their heads, alright?  And be very gentle – they are really little.”  She carefully handed Jacob over to Brandon, tucking the soft blanket in more tightly around the baby.  She sat down on the coffee table in front of the pair. 

JC had picked up Rose and brought her over to Sophie.  He sat down next to Sophie on the couch before moving Rose into Sophie’s arms.  His hands never ventured very far, ready to assist if needed.   

The new family sat there for a moment in the silence, until Rose started screaming.  Laura jerked her attention from Brandon to her new daughter, reaching out for her baby just as JC scooped Rose into his arms. 

“She just needs changed, then I think it’s time to eat again.  I’ll get her changed if you want to head up and get settled to feed them.”  Laura lifted Jacob up as she nodded her agreement.  The parents headed up the stairs, not saying another word to the two left on the couch. 

This just reaffirmed Brandon’s thoughts that everything would change now that the twins were here.  He and Sophie were being pushed aside and left out.   

***

Groaning he pulled a pillow over his head as the twins crying woke him yet again.  A quick look at the clock showed that it was 3:00 a.m.  Brandon hadn’t gotten much sleep since the twins had come home a week ago.  The crying got louder all of a sudden as a light shone over his bed.  The light was quickly extinguished and the crying lowered again as he felt his bed shift.  Sophie was crawling up and trying to get under the covers. 

“Are they ever going to be quiet?”  She whispered in the darkness. 

“I hope so, you have school tomorrow so you’d better try and get to sleep.”  Brandon suggested as he handed over an extra pillow.  “Here put this over your ears and I’ll turn the radio on, maybe it’ll drown them out.”  He reached over for the remote to his radio, quickly flipping it on.  While the music didn’t completely drown the crying out, it did help somewhat. 

Brandon wasn’t sure how much time had elapsed when he was startled from his light sleep.  His door had been thrown open and he rubbed his eyes, trying to bring them into focus.  Laura was framed in the doorway, one of the twins finally asleep on her shoulder.  JC stood with the other one cradled in his arms right behind her. 

“Brandon, Sophie’s not in her bed, do you know where she is?”  Laura asked urgently. 

His voice croaked from sleepiness, “She’s here, she couldn’t sleep with the crying so she came in here.”

Laura sighed in relief as she rocked back and forth.  “Oh thank you.  I’m sorry, Brandon, we’re trying to get the twins on a schedule.  It’ll get better someday.”  She sounded near tears. 

“Go to bed, Laura.  The twins are asleep and you need to get there too.”  Just as JC finished his sentence, the twin that Laura held woke up and then proceeded to wake up JC’s.  Laura threw her head back in desperation.  “Try and sleep, Brandon, we’ll try and keep them quiet.”  JC closed the door, as Laura started to pace again. 

“Let’s take them downstairs, someone should be able to sleep around here, even if it’s not us.”  Laura rocked back and forth, trying to stay awake as she headed for the stairs. 

The new parents paced in circles around their first floor for hours, trying to get the twins asleep.  They were only quiet when Laura and JC were walking.  In exhaustion, the parents met in a doorway, leaning up against the wall for a brief moment of quiet. 

“How can something so small make such noise?  I bet your hearing will never be the same after this, you’re going to have to change your profession.  You won’t be able to hear if someone is in tune or not.  Little did you know that it wouldn’t be years of having music blaring and screaming girls to ruin your hearing, instead it would be two small bundles of joy that we couldn’t wait to get here.”  Laura babbled on as she tried to stay away, not even aware of what she was saying she was so tired. 

“You know it’s been years since I’ve fallen asleep standing up.  I used to be able to fall asleep anywhere, I’m wishing I were younger again.  Hey the basement is sound proof, that can be the twins room until they sleep through the night.  I’ll go move the cribs right now, how does that sound?”

“It sounds like…silence, are they actually asleep?”  The silence was so profound that their ears were ringing.  “Do you think we can get them upstairs and in their beds with them still asleep?”  Laura whispered. 

“Very quietly,” JC tiptoed up the stairs with Laura. 

The couple tucked the twins in, trying not to jostle them too much and awaken them again.  Just as Laura was climbing into bed, she happened to look over at the bright alarm clock.  She gave a half sob, half laugh and sat on the edge of the bed, collapsing her head into her hands. 

“What is it?”  JC asked almost testily from behind her. 

Laura made a motion toward the red numbers glaring at them.  “We’ve been up all night and in about five minutes it’s going to be time to get Sophie up and ready for school.  Will we ever sleep again?”  Laura twisted on the bed to look at JC.

He rolled his head on his neck and stood up, “You lay down and rest, I’ll get her up and to school, then get Brandon started on his homework.  I can fall asleep faster than you and you need to rest more than I do.  I should be used to no sleep by now.”  He continued talking to himself on his way down the hall to wake Sophie.  “How many times did I wish for the amount of sleep I’m getting today?  This would have been great back then, suck it up man….Sophie, it’s time to get up, sweetheart.”

Sophie struggled out of the covers, while JC woke Brandon.  His question had Brandon jumping from the bed.  “Brandon, if you get up do you want to drive to drop Sophie off at school?” 

“I’ll have breakfast ready when you get downstairs,” JC stumbled down the stairs.  This not sleeping was really taking its toll on him.  He was glad that Brandon would be driving them this morning.  Brandon had almost completed everything he needed to in order to get his drivers license and loved to get any practice that he could. 

After dropping Sophie off, the two men returned home and JC extracted a promise to work on his homework before leaving Brandon to study.  JC drug himself up the stairs to his bed.  He stood for a moment over the cribs, he still couldn’t believe that he and Laura had created these two beautiful babies.  He stopped himself from pressing a kiss on their heads, not wanting to wake them. 

He turned and smiled at the sight of Laura in bed, there were deep circles under her eyes, she was almost snoring, but she was still the person he couldn’t imagine his life without.  He crawled in beside her and was asleep in seconds. 

***

JC awoke when Laura inadvertently punched him as she stretched.  “Sorry,” she said as pulled her arm away. 

“S’alright,” he responded rubbing his ribs. 

“I can’t believe they slept so long, they must be hungry.  Let’s get them up so we can at least try and get them asleep tonight.”  Laura still moved a little gingerly as she got up out of bed.  JC sat for a moment on the edge of the bed, trying to wake up. 

“Jace?  Where are the twins?” 

“In their cribs, why?”

“No they’re not,” Laura responded.   

“What?”  He demanded.

Laura was already out the door and halfway down the hall when she heard a soft cry and Brandon respond with a song. 

She grabbed a hold of the doorjamb and swung around the entry.  She froze in her tracks, JC bumping into her from behind.  Brandon had claimed both twins from their beds and had them sitting in their carriers.  They were watching every move that he made. 

Brandon caught sight of his parents watching him and became defensive.  “What?  They were crying and you weren’t getting up so I got them, changed them, and fed them so you could sleep.” 

“You…”  Laura began as Brandon feared he was in trouble.  “Are an angel!”  She gave him a huge kiss on the cheek as he blushed.  “Now why don’t you drive your dad to pick up Sophie from school?”

And Brandon began to believe that the twins weren’t going to be as bad as he had thought.  Maybe there would still be a place for him and Sophie. 

End Notes:
Let me know your thoughts!
Chapter 25 by Lew

Now that the twins were on somewhat of a schedule and would hopefully be napping for a couple of hours, Laura grabbed the baby monitor and headed up to Brandon’s room.  Sophie was at school and JC was in the studio working for the morning.  Laura had decided that it was time that she and Brandon sat down and talked. 

For some reason Brandon was still distant with her.  He had started to relate again with JC because they spent so much time in the car practicing his driving skills.  Any time something new happened or changed, Brandon withdrew into his shell as a defense mechanism, but that would be changing.  Laura had been spending the majority of her time with the new twins, but had decided that tonight the whole family would sit down for a nice meal.  Brandon just didn’t know his part in it yet. 

She tapped on his open bedroom door and Brandon glanced up at the sound.  “Why don’t we leave the homework for a while.  Come downstairs and we’ll have a new lesson.”

“But – ”  He started to protest. 

Laura interrupted.  “Wash your hands and meet me in the kitchen.”  She didn’t wait for another objection as she immediately turned and walked away.

It took several minutes, but Laura finally heard footsteps heading her way.  She didn’t even look up when she saw Brandon out of the corner of her eye, choosing instead to assign him a job dealing with the meal they were preparing.  She kept up a running monologue as the worked together.  Soon though she was trying to draw Brandon out and learn what was going on in his life. 

“How’s driving with your dad going?”

Brandon mumbled under his breath, not believing that Laura could hear him.  “Why keep pretending you’re my parents.”  Then louder, “Fine.”

In shock, Laura dropped the glass of water she held.  The glass shattered all over the floor with water rushing across the floor, soaking into her socks.  Brandon looked up with a furrowed brow at the sound, his eyes met Laura’s and shame had him looking away. 

“Alright, that’s enough!  I’ve had it!”  She stepped over the shards of glass to circle the counter to stand in front of her son.  Her gaze flashed with fury as she spoke in a controlled voice full of anger.  “Living room – now – sit down!”

Brandon slunk into the living room, casting a desperate look toward the back door as he passed.  He collapsed on the couch and waited silently, head down.  Laura leaned on the counter a moment, trying to regain her cool.  She let out a sigh as she checked on the twins before heading in to sit on the footstool in front of Brandon. 

She simply sat there and gazed at Brandon’s lowered head, waiting patiently for him to look up.  Many minutes passed as she was determined to wait him out, she prayed the twins wouldn’t wake up just yet. 

Finally, he looked up to quickly meet her gaze before he averted his eyes again.  “Have we ever made you feel like you are not part of this family?”

“No.”

Laura ran a hand through her hair in frustration, deciding to try something else.  “What does this remind you of?”

He shrugged.  “The center?”

“Exactly, the day that I tried to break up that fight you were having and broke my arm.”  She laughed lightly as she remembered.  “You know I never thanked you for that day.”

Brandon finally met her gaze head on for the first time.  “What?”

“Well, you know, if you hadn’t been fighting and I hadn’t been hurt, I never would have met JC.  You see…the only reason we were in the office that day was to talk, otherwise I never would have gone to the office.  I never would have met JC and gotten to know you as well and become a part of your family.  So you see, you are the reason that JC and I are married and we have you and Sophie in our lives.” 

“I know you haven’t had an easy life, but I will forever be in your debt for what you have done for me.  I know it hasn’t been easy since Jacob and Rose were born, but I’m tired of you feeling that you need to walk on eggshells or go into your shell because we are going to kick you out.”  Brandon’s face showed his embarrassment and Laura went on.  “Yes, you are very easy to read because I love you, Brandon, and I know you.  You will always be our first.  I know it’s not always easy, but you belong here with JC and me and Sophie and the twins.”

Laura put her hand on his knee.  “We are not going to kick you out, you are stuck with us forever.  Have we ever treated you like anything other than our son?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well if you don’t know, let me tell you some things.  First of all, both JC and I want the best for you, we want to give you all the opportunities that you can ever want.  If we are tough on you or set rules that you don’t agree with, it’s because we love you and are trying to help you make good decisions.  We only want the best for you.  And your sisters and brother look up to you so much.  They are going to grow up and want to be just like you.  I may not have given birth to you, but you are my son.  I would fight with everything in me if something ever tried to harm you or you were in danger.  You can always count on me.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it, I love it here with everyone.  You guys have been better parents to me that my own.  I just was afraid that when Jacob and Rose were born that you wouldn’t want Sophie and I around anymore.” 

“Brandon, that is not going to happen…ever!”

“I know.”  They spent a little more time talking, Laura wanted to make sure that Brandon knew he was wanted and loved.  By the time they finished and went back to making a nice meal for everyone, Brandon was acting like his normal self and had again turned into his chatty teenaged self. 

***

JC picked up Sophie from school on his way home from the studio.  Sophie chatted about her day the whole way home.  Before they were home, JC was current on all the important and unimportant news from the third grade. 

He knew what Laura had been planning and was eager to get home and see if her plan had worked.  He pulled into the drive and was relieved to see the house was still standing.  So far so good. 

He tentatively entered the house after Sophie who was still chattering away.  Laura was soon giving Sophie a one armed hug as the other was holding tight to Rose.  Brandon was making funny faces at Jacob before he turned to Sophie and JC. 

JC could see the relief on his face and the tension was now gone from his body.  The strain of not being sure he had a home was gone and the Brandon that they all knew and loved was back. 

“Sophie, your snack is on the table, but make sure you save room for supper.  It’s going to be really good, isn’t it Brandon?”

“The best!”  He exclaimed. 

“It smells delicious,” JC said as he snagged a cookie from the table.

“Dad,” Brandon yelled, “Those are for dessert.”

“Maybe I want dessert first,” he responded as he leaned over his daughter to give Laura a quick kiss before buzzing a kiss on Rose’s head and moving over to greet both Brandon and Jacob. 

For the first time since the twins had come home, the family was truly relaxed and everyone was happy and content. 

End Notes:
Review!
Chapter 26 by Lew
Author's Notes:
The end is finally here, sniff, sniff.  I love this family and am going to miss spending time with them.  I hope you enjoy!

Three years later

JC dialed his phone as walked from the studio to the parking lot.  He chuckled as the phone was picked up, then dropped, and shifted around before his three-year-old daughters voice came over the phone. 

“Hi,” Rose announced into the phone.  JC could hear Laura in the background, calling to Rose not to answer the phone.

“Hey sweetheart,” was all JC got out before Laura snatched the phone up. 

“Sorry about that, hello?”

“Hey babe, you sound stressed.  Everything alright?” 

“JC, please don’t tell me that you’re calling to say you’re running late tonight or are staying late!  I need this night out really badly, Jace.  Do not do this to me!!” 

“Whoa…what caused all this?”  He heard her giving instructions to the kids before he heard a door close. 

“Do you know what your son did today?”

“Uh oh, my son, I’m afraid to ask.” 

“You should be.  Your son decided it would be fun to dump an entire bottle of dish soap in the dishwasher while I was out of the room.  So when I turned it on and came back an twenty minutes later –”  JC tried to cover his laughter, but wasn’t successful.  “This is not funny!” 

“No, you’re right, I’m sorry.  Please go on.”  JC bit the inside of his cheek to stifle his laughter. 

“I have never seen bubbles so high before – Jace!”  He couldn’t contain his laughter anymore.  But then over the phone, he could hear a giggle start.  It was hard to catch her next words as he was laughing so hard that tears were falling down his face and Laura’s laughter was beginning.  “Let’s just say that the kitchen floor and cupboards have never been so clean.”

They both gained a semblance of control.  “Please don’t cancel, Jace, I need this night with you and adult conversation.”

“Awww Laura…I’m not cancelling.  I just called to see if you wanted me to pick up a pizza or something for the kids’ supper.” 

A heartfelt sigh came over the phone, “That would be wonderful, thank you.”

“Alright, is Brandon there yet?”  Brandon was coming home for the weekend from college and had agreed to watch the twins for the night so JC and Laura could have some much needed alone time. 

“Yeah, he came in during the bubble fiasco and distracted the twins before he helped me clean up.”

“Good, then you leave them in his and Sophie’s very capable hands and go up and take a long hot shower since you’ve already had your bubble bath for the day.”  He couldn’t stop the laughter.  “Ahem…I’ll be home in a little bit and will take you out for an unforgettable evening.  How does that sound?”

“Like heaven…I’ve missed us.  It’s been a while since we had ‘us’ time.”

“I know…just wait until you see what I have planned.”  His voice was tender.  “So – you’d better get ready.  I’ll be home in a little while and I can’t wait.”

“I love you, JC.”

“I love you too, see you in a few.”

***

With her finger to her lips, Laura motioned to JC to quietly come to the playroom door.  JC moved in that direction as he finished rolling up his shirtsleeves. 

In the twins’ playroom, there was a small table with toddler sized chairs sitting around it.  Rose loved having tea parties with anyone who would sit with her and much of the time had a dozen stuffed animals around that would take tea and cookies with her.  It was very rare for Jacob to sit down and take tea, but she had somehow convinced him. 

The sight that greeted JC had him covering a chuckle as to not disturb the scene before them.  Brandon and Sophie had somehow folded themselves into the chairs and were holding tiny teacups in their hands as Rose gave them the proper instructions in how to hold up their pinky fingers when drinking tea. 

Laura slid an arm around JC’s waist.  They had really raised a wonderful family.  Brandon was in college studying to become a counselor and help other kids who were in the same situation , Sophie was turning into a beautiful young lady and loved her dance classes.  Rose and Jacob were finally out of the terrible twos, but still had so much energy.  Laura liked to blame that on JC genes. 

With a wave to both Brandon and Sophie, JC and Laura were able to sneak out quietly without being noticed by the twins.  Their older kids were so responsible that the parents felt extremely comfortable, knowing that Brandon would handle any problems that arose.  They needed this night alone with adult time and conversation. 

***

JC and Laura chatted about random things as he drove to their evening out.  He had refused to answer any questions about where they were going and Laura had decided to just go with it and enjoy the evening out with her husband.  She studied his profile as he drove.  He handled the vehicle with confidence that Laura thought was extremely sexy, his forearm muscles rippled as he maneuvered the car through the heavy traffic. 

Laura was jolted out of her thoughts as he pulled off the street.  “Why Mr. Chasez are you taking me to a hotel on our date?  What kind of woman do you think I am?”

He paused before he got out of the car to turn it over to the valet.  Looking into Laura’s eyes, he smiled, “The kind of woman that has missed being with her husband as much as her husband has been missing her.”

“Are you planning on getting lucky tonight, Mr. Chasez?” 

With a quick kiss on her lips and a wink, he said, “I’m counting on it, Mrs. Chasez.”

They exited the car and when JC made his way to her side of the car, he grabbed her hand pulling her along behind him through the door.  He bypassed the front desk, giving a nod to the clerk working, instead heading directly toward a private elevator hidden from the lobby. 

He swiped the key card that he had been given earlier in the day when he checked in, pushing the button for the penthouse.  Laura raised her brow at that, but said nothing.

After reaching the correct floor, JC swiped his card again and let Laura precede him into the suite.  He had no more than pulled her into his arms when a knock sounded on the door. 

Reluctantly he let her out of her arms and reached to open the door.  A uniformed man entered pushing a cart of covered dishes.  While JC instructed him where to set the food and gave him a tip, Laura wandered out onto the balcony to see the gorgeous view. 

When she felt his presence behind her, she spoke teasingly.  “This is the reason I married you, you know.”

“And what reason is that?”  Laura turned around to see JC looking at her with love in his eyes as he twirled the stem of a deep red rose in his hand.  His stance was casual as he leaned against the doorjamb. 

“The life of luxury and refinement and money and penthouse vacations, relaxation all the time.”

“Isn’t that interesting?  You see all these years, I thought you married me for love.”  He pushed off the doorframe and took slow steps toward her, eventually trapping her with his arms grasping the railing on both sides of her waist.  He still hadn’t touched her.  Her body was humming with awareness at his closeness.  How could this man still cause such a reaction in her even after all these years?

“Hmmm…that may have played a small part in my decision.”  Her voice held a slight tremble as she reveled in his true masculinity.  Her husband was such a strong male that made her feel so ultra feminine.  He provided for her and their children and made their lives so much better for being in them.  He was so involved with the kids’ lives and yet still set aside time for them to be a couple. 

Her gaze was locked on his as he slowly brought the hand that held the rose up to her face.  He drew the soft petals over her cheeks before he caressed her lips with the delicate bloom.  The rose headed down her neck and over the sensitive skin that disappeared beneath her blouse.  His eyes followed the path until it met the fabric barrier.

His eyes were half closed as he narrowed the distance between them.  Their deep blue color spoke of his desire and need for her.  The first touch of their lips was like a butterflies wings, soft, light, caressing.  Laura tried to deepen the contact, but JC pulled back with a teasing smile. 

“Ah, ah, ah…is that all you want from me?  I went to all this trouble to plan this evening and have this delicious meal delivered in a beautiful suite for a perfect evening with my wife and you just want to jump to the end.”

Laura caught the glimmer in his eye as she decided to play along.  “Alright, if that’s what you want, then let’s just enjoy the view.”  She turned back to the view as JC pressed his body against her back, leaning his chin on her shoulder.  His arms wrapped around her waist and hers rested on top of his.  She leaned her head back against his shoulder and hummed in contentment. 

JC’s sigh sent a shiver down her spine as it stirred the tendrils of her hair.  He turned his face into her neck and nuzzled.  She could feel his smile as he tugged on her ear lobe with his teeth. 

“Why Mr. Chasez, what happened to the delicious food and the rest of the evening you had planned for us?”

“We can order more.”  He turned her around in his arms, tossing the rose onto the balcony’s chair.  In one motion, he placed a strong arm behind her back and the other behind her knees, lifting her.  He tucked her against his chest as her arms automatically closed around his neck.  One hand nestled in the locks of his hair as he bore her gently inside their room.  He paused so she could shut the world out with the close of the sliding door. 

He moved to the bedroom door, where Laura let out a squeal as she noticed the beautiful flower arrangement on the dresser.  She snatched the card from its holder as JC passed by on his way to the large bed.  He placed her on her feet next to the bed and kicked off his shoes.  Before she could open the envelope, JC had taken it and tossed it over his shoulder. 

“But I wanted to read that,” she protested. 

“Later…no more distractions.”  He brushed her hair away from her face. 

“Then you tell me what it said,” she said as her hands roamed over his chest, moving toward the top button on his shirt, feeling his heart beat pick up its pace. 

“How about I show you instead?”  He whispered as he began to work on the buttons on her blouse. 

“Even better,” the words were lost as their lips finally succumbed to temptation and met as if for the first time.  And JC proceeded to show Laura exactly what he meant. 

End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading and please review!
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2013