Hold My Heart by harmonysparkle
Past Featured StorySummary: Everly Monroe is a fashion stylist in Hollywood. She enjoys her job and her clients, for the most part. Her favorite client she's ever worked with happens to be from *NSYNC and she also happens to still be in contact with him and considered a friend. Sounds good, right? Except she's single, hasn't given her heart in awhile, and would like the true love of a man. A man that can hold her heart. Thing is she might just have secret feelings for her favorite client.
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 85657 Read: 38466 Published: Mar 16, 2011 Updated: May 14, 2011
Story Notes:
This is inspried by some feelings and an idea I had a few weeks ago.

1. Chapter 1 by harmonysparkle

2. Chapter 2 by harmonysparkle

3. Chapter 3 by harmonysparkle

4. Chapter 4 by harmonysparkle

5. Chapter 5 by harmonysparkle

6. Chapter 6 by harmonysparkle

7. Chapter 7 by harmonysparkle

8. Chapter 8 by harmonysparkle

9. Chapter 9 by harmonysparkle

10. Chapter 10 by harmonysparkle

11. Chapter 11 by harmonysparkle

12. Chapter 12 by harmonysparkle

13. Chapter 13 by harmonysparkle

14. Chapter 14 by harmonysparkle

15. Chapter 15 by harmonysparkle

16. CHARACTER PHOTO PAGE! by harmonysparkle

17. Chapter 16 by harmonysparkle

18. Chapter 17 by harmonysparkle

19. Chapter 18 by harmonysparkle

Chapter 1 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
Shout out to my lovie face for some help! The pieces finally came together for this first chapter, that my fingers just flew across the keyboard and it seemd to almost write itself. I hope you enjoy and continue reading to see how this all unfolds.

Nothing compared to a cup of Starbucks on a lunch break. It was a heavenly escape and a taste sensation, if only momentarily. After a long morning of trying to find the hottest suit for some new up-and-coming actor, my body needed the caffeine.

I ordered a white chocolate mocha, my favorite drink on their menu, in venti size. I knew I’d feel a jolt, but nothing I couldn’t handle. I was on the verge of growing immune to caffeine, as if it were my blood. I took my drink over to a corner table near the back of the café and sat down. Any moment now, Nathaniel would be joining me. I couldn’t wait to hear how his morning had gone as well, seeing as I knew he’d been asked to style Kim Kardashian. I was glad he’d been assigned to her and not myself.

We’re both stylists for a PR firm, here in Hollywood. I have always loved fashion and making people look wonderful in the clothes they wear. I’m not that flashy of a person, but I’m also not the plainest Jane. I kind of live in the middle of the fashion spectrum, but I’m comfortable there. I dress professionally for my job, but once I’m home free, I like to be casual. I’m not your typical Hollywood girl who has to make sure she’s stopping traffic with her lack of clothing or abundance of gaudy jewelry. I’m just Everly, I guess. I know when to wear nice things and when it’s better to be simple. I don’t hang out with people just because they wear designer labels and I don’t style people just to become a part of their posse. I enjoy fashion for its creative and artistic qualities. I enjoy it for the freedom and individuality it gives. Being able to dress clients and make them feel good about what they’re wearing is just a bonus, besides the nice paycheck.

Though when you get a client you’re not a big fan of, it can be a nightmare. I could only imagine what Nathaniel’s story about Kim Kardashian was going to be. I laughed at the thought as I sipped some more of my drink and then looked at my watch. Just as I looked back up, I heard someone enter and then my name.

“Everly, darling! I made it. Sorry, that Kim girl is so atrocious. I was scared I wasn’t going to get her to pick out an outfit.” Nathaniel said, trying to catch his breath, as if he’d dashed over here in a hurry.

I smiled, seeing my favorite male friend. Well…make that favorite gay male friend. He was looking fashionable today, as always. His blonde hair was slicked perfectly with gel and his brown eyes were accentuated with some guy-liner upon his eyelids. He wore a crisp, white dress shirt paired with a gray silk vest and pink tie. On his bottom half he had on dark gray slacks and nice black dress shoes. He just always looks good and it’s a shame he isn't straight. Though it’s nice to have a guy, who’s like one of the girls.

“Hey Nathaniel. It’s fine. No worries.” I watched him as he went over to the counter to place his drink order. Then he paid and joined me at the table a moment later with his drink.

“You look pretty today, Everly. I think that lavender looks gorgeous with your brown hair and green eyes.” I blushed slightly and looked down at the lavender blouse I had on. It was just something I had quickly picked out of my closet this morning. Nothing too fancy, but definitely practical for work.

“Thanks. You look wonderful as always. So, tell me about Kim Kardashian?”

He rolled his eyes heavenward and then made a disgusted face. “Divalicious should be the name of her next fragrance. That’s all that girl is. I couldn’t handle another minute of her. So when her mommy dearest came in and told her the last outfit was the outfit, I thanked the angels above.”

I laughed so hard, I almost had coffee coming out of my nose. Sometimes Nathaniel was over the top with his comments, but they always did bring entertainment.

“Well…at least she has something to cover up that ass with and you fit her into something. Hopefully you won’t have to dress her again.” Nathaniel knocked on the wooden table.

“Knock on wood. I don’t want to look at anymore sparkly, tight dresses for a long time and certainly not on her.”

I took another sip of my white chocolate mocha and then licked my lips. “Well, I had to dress this young actor who‘s doing some new show on the CW network. His manager was picky about what he could or couldn’t be seen in. I had to make more pulls than I had intended, but satisfied him and his manager with a preppy, schoolboy look.”

Nathaniel smiled. “Well that’s good, darling. It takes a good stylist to please tough clients and you always manage somehow. You’re beyond good, you’re great.”

“Thanks, pal. I just do my best.” It was always nice to get compliments, but getting one from my friend and co-worker meant a lot.

Nathaniel’s gaze then went past me and I could tell he was looking at something or someone. The sound of the door closing behind someone, just entering, reached my ears. I watched then as his eyes continued to look past me and almost seem to follow whomever just entered. Maybe he knew the person or maybe he recognized a celebrity he’d styled in the past. I didn’t dare look behind me yet. I waited for Nathaniel to say something, anything.

“Damn…”He finally uttered.

“What?”

“He’s got on tight jeans, a low cut v-neck tee, and a silly fedora, but he’s so gorgeous I don’t even mind the hat. He has to be gay. Tell me he’s gay.” I tossed Nathaniel a look of confusion and almost wanted to laugh. It was always fun watching a gay guy show interest in another guy. I decided to finally turn around, seeing as Nathaniel gave the mystery man approval. When I caught sight of the man wearing the tight jeans, low cut v-neck tee, and the silly fedora, my jaw dropped and then I didn’t know whether to laugh, grin, or tell Nathaniel the bad news first.

I decided on the laughter and then once I calmed down, I shook my head. I was just about to share the bad news, when Nathaniel started up again.

“He just ordered a chai latte. Now tell me that isn’t an indicator? I think I might have to go get his number.” I watched Nathaniel wiggle his eyebrows and then I chuckled.

“Calm down, Romeo. You’re getting all hot and bothered for nothing. I know him and he’s not gay.” Nathaniel gave me a curious stare then.

“Oh yeah, so he’s straight? Who is he? How do you know him?” I grinned then, ready to fill my friend in on the facts.

“You see….that man you basically just drooled over is JC Chasez. He may look metro or even gay in your opinion, but he’s not batting for your team. As for how I know him….I dressed him in an impeccable Versace suit for a charity event a couple years ago. He recently had me find him a suit for a Grammy party as well. We’re casual friends, you could say.”

While I explained it all, I could just see the shock and the surprise, take over Nathaniel’s features. “You’re shitting me! You’ve dressed JC Chasez and you’ve never told me until now? And you’re friends? God…the fanboy in me should be upset with you, but the fanboy in me is upset at myself for not even recognizing him at first.”

I laughed uncontrollably then, highly amused by his reaction. I never divulge every single celebrity I’ve dressed and with good reason. You receive nutty reactions such as Nathaniel’s, you get the stink-eye from jealous friends and acquaintances, or you get labeled as an attention whore just trying to become apart of a star’s entourage. As I said earlier, I’m not the typical Hollywood girl and I love styling people to make them look and feel good. I guess in this town of heartless bitches, I might actually have a heart.

Before I could clarify everything again and answer Nathaniel, I heard my name and saw JC approaching our table.

“Everly? It is you.” He smiled, taking his sunglasses off and revealing his bright blue eyes. He brought his latte to his perfect lips and took a nice, long sip. I knew that both Nathaniel and I watched as this fine man’s Adam’s apple bobbed as he swallowed. I found my voice and smiled in return.

“Hey, JC. It is me. It’s nice to bump into you here.” I then pointed at my friend across the table. “This is Nathaniel. He’s a friend of mine and is a stylist too.”

JC took it upon himself to take a seat beside me and then he reached across the table and shook Nathaniel's hand. Nathaniel froze for a moment and I almost thought he wouldn’t give JC his hand back.

“Nice to meet you, man.” JC said, sliding his hand upon his thigh then.

“You too.” Nathaniel managed to get out and his face broke into a smile.

I cleared my throat and glanced at JC then. “So, you on a break from a studio session or what?”

“Yeah, Dallas came in from Atlanta for the week and we’re messing around. Having some fun, coming up with crazy beats. You know?” I nodded my head, knowingly.

“That’s cool. Have you got plans to entertain him or shall I say..keep him out of trouble?” JC laughed then. His eyes almost crinkled.

I knew all about his friend and music producer, Dallas Austin. The man could be a little crazy and we had been introduced to one another.

“Well…I was thinking he and I might go clubbing this week. I hear there’s going to be a sick party at Voyeur on Saturday and Dallas should be here until Monday, I think. Maybe you could come out with us. See if Lila is available too, as well as Summer, Pete, and Alex.”

It did sound like it could be a good time and I was pleased to receive the invitation. “Sounds like it could be fun. It’s been awhile since I’ve gotten to see everyone and go out with you.”

I then heard a cough come across from the table, as if Nathaniel was hinting at something. JC looked at me and smiled, before looking across the table. “Well good, it will be fun and you’re invited too, Nathaniel.” I noticed Nathaniel toss a wink then.

“Call me, Nate.” I tried to not laugh, knowing he was trying to charm, even if he didn’t have a shot.

“Uhh..okay.” JC nodded his head and then sipped down more of his latte. While JC sipped his drink, I gave Nathaniel a look and just shook my head.

“Do you have anymore events coming up soon? Nathaniel and I were talking about clients we styled this morning, and well you’re like a dream compared to them.” I told JC with a smile and I could tell Nathaniel was just waiting for the answer. As was I.

He nodded his head, slowly. “Yeah…in fact, the Oscars are coming up. I have to look good for Elton’s Oscar party. I should probably come into the office soon and ask to work with Miss Everly Monroe. She’s pretty much a dream stylist.” I tried not to blush as he returned the compliment, but was happy that he’d be coming in again soon for me to dress him.

“I think you might need to see Nathaniel Porter. I hear he’s good too.” My friend piped up and then I shot him a look, as JC chuckled.

“Sorry, man. I think I’ve got to stick with Everly. She knows my measurements and what I look good in.” I certainly did have his measurements written down and I did know what he looked good in. It just was something that couldn’t be denied.

“He’s right. I just know how to dress him and I can’t give up a good client.” Nathaniel pretended to look disappointed and JC tossed me a smile.

Then I heard a ring tone go off, it sounded like When Doves Cry by the one and only, Prince. I noticed JC pulled his phone from his pocket then and he answered it. He began chatting away and I pretended to not listen to his half of the conversation. I didn’t like to eavesdrop or intrude. A couple moments later, JC shut his phone and slid it back into his pocket.

“Was it Justin, Lance, Chris, or Joey on the phone?” Nathaniel asked, almost hopeful. JC rolled his eyes.

“Nah, man. It was my manager.” I could tell that JC didn’t care to further elaborate, not that I thought he would anyway. I watched as JC then tapped his fingers on the edge of the table, almost contemplating something as he created a rhythm. He then pursed his lips together as well.

“Mmmm…I should probably get back to the studio. Dallas might be back there already and I think I’ve just found inspiration.” I nodded my head, knowing that Nathaniel and I needed to get back to work as well.

“Yeah…no worries. We’ve got to get back to the office too.” JC stood up from the table and he tossed his empty cup into the trash and then he walked back over to the table, as I stood up. Nathaniel stood up as well.

JC reached his hand out and told Nathaniel it was nice meeting him, once again. I watched as Nathaniel took JC in with his eyes, almost finding it awkward, and happy when JC turned his attention to me.

“I should see you again soon, honey. I’ll try to call you or have Lila fill you in about Saturday. I really do hope you can come out. It’s been awhile.” I then felt his arms go around me and he gave me a gentle, but warm hug. I hugged him in return as I caught a whiff of his cologne. It made me almost sad I had to let go.

I felt JC let go and then he tossed me one more smile. “Well..catch ya later, Everly. Maybe I’ll see you too, Nate.” I knew the inner fanboy in Nathaniel was about to burst.

Luckily, JC had made it out of Starbuck’s before he could witness it. I watched as the door closed behind him and then Nathaniel let out a squeal.

“He called me Nate. He invited me to Voyeur.” He then dropped a kiss to my cheek. “Have I ever told you how much I love you?”

I chuckled. “Yeah, but you love me even more now.”

He clutched his hand to his heart and took a deep breath. “I don’t know how you kept him hidden from me, but damn….I liked being surprised better. I think my day was just made. No, strike that. My whole year was made.”

I shrugged my shoulders, trying to downplay it all. I knew that in all reality, I was a fashion stylist who styled a client and became friends with him. It was as simple as that and JC was just like anyone else at the end of the day. Well…almost.



End Notes:
Any comments are appreciated.
Chapter 2 by harmonysparkle

The next morning, I found myself at my desk, flipping through a fashion magazine. I didn’t have a client coming in for another hour and I had already pulled a bunch of dresses that I thought were appropriate. As I eyed a photo of killer heels that looked like a pair I would splurge money for, the phone beside my computer rang. I picked it up and turned my professional charm on.

“Thank you for calling Divine Threads PR. This is Everly Monroe, fashion stylist. How may I help you today?” I heard a familiar voice a second later.

“Look at you sounding all professional and stuff. I was just calling to see if you were going to go to pilates tonight? I missed last week and I thought I’d go this week, if you’re going.” I hadn’t really thought about it, but if I was going to have a workout friend, then it sounded like a good idea.

“Hey, Lila. Actually, I think I will go. Lord knows I’ve had a lot of Starbucks lately and I could burn some extra calories.” She laughed.

“Same here, girlfriend. I think I’ve gained like five pounds from eating all the delicious food my mom made while I was visiting.”

“Oh please, you did not.” I shook my head, even though she couldn’t see me. Lila had a dancer’s body and I never found her to look anything, but beautiful.

“Well maybe not…but close to it. Oh, I heard from JC that he saw you yesterday and that Nathaniel was with you. I’m sure that went over well.” I chuckled.

“He had his moments. He pegged JC as being gay and then when he found out that I knew him and all that jazz, his inner fanboy came out. He managed to get himself invited to Voyeur.” Lila laughed.

“Yeah, I heard you two got invited out to Voyeur on Saturday. Which is great because I’m going to go too and it’ll be a lot of fun. I just hope you can keep a leash on Nathaniel.” She did have a good point. I didn’t want my friend to do or say anything that would embarrass himself or me, for that matter.

“Yes, I’ll go buy him a pink leash.” I joked and then I put my hand over the mouse of my computer. The screensaver turned off and then I clicked on an icon to connect to my email. I typed in my necessary login information, as I balanced the phone between my shoulder and ear.

“Better make sure he has a collar with diamonds too.” I chuckled as Lila joked in return. I noticed I had a couple new emails and one of them was from JC, in fact. I clicked on it and watched as it opened. My eyes scanned over it and I smiled.

“JC sent me an email asking me to squeeze him on Friday. He needs something to wear to that Elton John Oscar party he always attends.”

“Well I hope you can help him out. He gets a little challenged in the fashion department sometimes.” I chuckled.

“I don’t know if the word is challenged, maybe just special.” I heard Lila’s laughter then and I heard a bark in the background. It had to be her little dog, Peanut. He was a small, furry thing that she adored as much as a human. He was practically her baby.

“I hear Peanut barking.”

“Yeah, I just looked and he’s by the door. I think he needs to go outside. I should probably let you go and take care of him. I’ll see you tonight at 7 o’clock for pilates, right?” I reassured her.

“Definitely. I’ll see you then.”

I hung up the phone then and I replied to JC’s email. I let him know that I could squeeze him in on Friday and that an afternoon appointment would have to work. I was booked all that morning. I hoped he’d respond back soon and give me the best time for him. I checked my other new emails and then logged out.

I was excited to dress JC again and I already knew I wanted him to look dashing. Not that it was a hard thing for him to pull off. I imagined something well-fitted to his body and classic, but with a little “it” factor. I was about to flip through the magazine I had again for any inspiration, when I heard someone walk in.

I looked up and smiled, seeing Nathaniel. He had two coffees in hand and held one out to me. “Something to just give you a buzz before your client gets here.”

“Thanks.” I graciously accepted the coffee from him and smiled, before taking a sip. Pilates was definitely a good idea now and I was glad Lila was meeting me tonight.

“So I just finished the final fitting for Vanessa Ann Hudgens. She has the LA premiere of Beastly to attend. Well let me say we spent way more time talking about her co-star Alexander Pettyfer, than we did about her actual dress. What is with beautiful straight girls, getting all the luck?”

I laughed and then shrugged my shoulders. “You really need someone, don’t you? Every time you finish an assignment you come back talking about hot boys.” He tossed me a look.

“Well you need someone too. Just because you had your heart stepped on by Trevor, doesn’t mean you should give up on the dating scene.” I gasped softly, not expecting for him to say those words and turn my own words against me. I really didn’t want to think about being single or Trevor at the moment either.

“Okay, so we’re both single, let’s just not talk about it. We can mingle on Saturday and who knows, maybe some hot gay guy will be at Voyeur.” Nathaniel smiled slightly.

“Well, if JC brings Lance, then that’ll certainly work for me.” I chuckled.

“Uhh…we’ll see about that, buddy.” I looked at the time and then realized that my client would be in at any moment.

“I’ve got get back to work, but thanks again for the coffee.”

Nathaniel nodded and gave a small wave, before heading down the hall.


All through my appointment with my client, I kept thinking about Trevor. The words that Nathaniel spoke had stuck with me. It had been almost three years already and I did need to move on. Yet, it was hard and things were complicated. I had practically become engaged to Trevor, only to find out that he’d been two-timing me and seeing another stylist across town. He’d dated the both of us for a good year of overlap time and was still seeing her when I heard rumors that he’d purchased an engagement ring for me.

When all the truth came out, I didn’t even give him a chance to fix things. I made sure it was all over before he could attempt to propose. I didn’t want someone who didn’t even have the decency to break up with me first, so he could see the other girl in the first place. I didn’t want someone who was looking to take over the entire PR firm his new girlfriend worked at, just because his daddy’s trust fund money was running out. Trevor turned out to be a mirage. He acted like he was smart enough for law school and could provide me with a wonderful life, but he was just after money, publicity, and anything to keep him looking like a good guy. I swear every time he told me he loved me must’ve been a lie. Looking back on it, I feel as if our whole relationship was some sort of hoax.

All I know is that Trevor and the tramp moved in together, which I found out by a mutual friend. It stung when I found out, even as much as I didn’t want it to. I know I’m better off without him and that he wasn’t my one true love, but it just doesn’t help your self-esteem when you’re played for a fool. My heart broke when things ended with Trevor and there’s still some cracks that need major mending.

I shook my head, finding myself in a far away land, as I realized my client was asking for an opinion on the dress she had on. I took a look at her in the mirror and I gave her a thumbs up. I smiled, noticing just how wonderful the black, satin dress looked upon her. The way the skirt landed upon her legs was perfect and it was elegant, without being on the dull side. She wouldn’t make be making any worst dressed list.

She smiled, happy with the dress as well and then changed out of it. I took the dress from her and then slid it back on a hanger and into one of the black wardrobe bags to protect it. I handed it back to her and thanked her for choosing to work with me. She nodded and then handed me over a check , as she took the dress from me.

I watched her go off on her way then and sighed softly. If only finding a man was as easy as finding a client a dress. I knew that black, satin dress was going to make that girl feel wonderful for the night she was wearing it. I just hoped to feel that same wonderful feeling from a man.



It was just before 7 o’clock and I was all geared up for pilates. Lila and I went to the same gym, since we didn’t live that far from one another. We had actually met for the first time at the gym a couple years ago and then it was a pleasant coincidence that she happened to be a friend of JC’s. The great thing is that Lila and I hit off and I had already styled JC once, before we made the connection. I was just pleased that neither of them saw me as the usual hanger-on who just wanted to hang with people because of who they were or who they were associated
with.

I was dressed in some black, nylon shorts and a purple tank top, paired with white track shoes. I had my exercise mat rolled out on the floor as well and watched as more class participants strolled through the door. When I spotted Lila, I smiled and called her name. She waved at me and quickly made her way over.

“Hey, Everly. You got here earlier than me. Sorry, Peanut was being a brat and playing with my shoelaces.” She pointed at the shoelaces on her shoes that looked like they’d been chewed on recently.

I chuckled and shook my head. “No problem.”

Lila set her mat down as well and she took a seat beside me, as we waited for the class instructor to set the sound system up.

“Sometimes I think we’d be better off if I taught this class. Her voice can get a little annoying when it’s amplified by a microphone and speaker.” I tried to not laugh, but Lila was right. The girl who taught Wednesday night pilates had a special voice and sometimes it got on our nerves. Though the workout was great and forced us to work our asses off.

“Yeah, we probably would be. So how are things going with you and Marco?” I asked, knowing that she seemed to be having an amazing romance so far with her boyfriend.


She grinned. “Pretty fabulous. My family loves him and I love him. He can be so sweet and he knows how to cook too. Plus he puts up with Peanut. So far he’s a winner.”

Hearing her say all that, made me jealous. I wanted to be able to gush about someone again and to be apart of a real relationship again. I just knew it was going to take time, patience, and the right guy. Plus I was going to have to make sure he wouldn’t break my heart.

“That’s awesome.” I mustered up a smile and then noticed that our class instructor was all set to begin class. Everyone stood up then and we started some basic warm ups to loosen our muscles.

When we were able to settle back down on our mats and lay on our backs as we did crunches and legs exercises, Lila and I managed to start up conversation again. As I was kicking my legs in the air, I turned my head to look at her. She did the same and our eyes met. We chuckled softly at one another.

“Is Nathaniel still single?” Lila asked, keeping her legs moving as well.

“Yeah, but he’s getting antsy. All he does nowadays is talk about how hot every client’s co-star, boyfriend, fiancé, or husband is. I know he just needs someone.”

“Everybody needs someone. I don’t blame the guy. Before Marco, I was lonely and not sure about love anymore.” Her words held truth.

I still felt lonely sometimes and not sure about love, but I did want someone in my life. I was hoping that all the pain would get erased by a new found love that wouldn’t play with my heart.

“You’re right, Lila. He just wants to love and be loved. I think we all do” I then chuckled softly. “Doesn’t mean I need to hear about what a fine ass Ricky Martin has or how much Nathaniel would love to be the one having babies with Neil Patrick Harris instead.”

I got a good snort out of Lila at that and then our class instructor gave us a warning. We managed to erupt into a fit of giggles and she tossed us a dirty look. Who ever said gossip and pilates couldn’t go together?

We finished the rest of class and by the end, my wrists were sore from doing stupid planks. It was always a relief when time had ticked by and the torture was over. I rolled my mat up and then quickly rubbed any perspiration off of my arms and face with a towel. I watched Lila prepare to leave as well and she smiled at me as she held her mat under her arm.

“You know what I’m thinking, Everly?” I shook my head at her, sliding my own mat under my arm to carry it.

“I think you need someone just as fabulous as Marco. I should set you up on a date or something. Marco has some decent friends or you might even bump into a cutie at Voyeur.”

“I don’t know.” I sighed. “I appreciate your concern, but I think I need to figure out my love life on my own.”

She put her hand to my shoulder and gave it a gentle pat. “Oh come on…I know Trevor messed you up good, but I want you happy. There’s good guys out there. Wherever there is.”

I laughed at her attempt to cheer me up and then smiled. I knew that good guys existed. All my female cousins were married, minus the two youngest ones, and some of my other female friends were having luck in the love department as well.

I just hoped my luck would change soon and maybe the one good guy I could think of, off the top of my head, would come into the equation. Just like Nathaniel, a girl could only dream.

“I’ll be happy…someday.” I assured her. “Pilates was fun tonight. I look forward to seeing you at Voyeur on Saturday.”

She nodded her head. “It definitely was and now I can go home and eat another brownie, since I burned it off already.” I laughed.

“But yeah, I told JC that you and I could just meet him and the rest of the posse at the club just before midnight. He was proud of me for suggesting you and I carpool and help the planet.”

I laughed. “He thinks he’s Captain Planet or whatever, but I’m sure he’s using up a lot of electricity with all the technology at his house.”

It was then Lila’s turn to laugh. “You’re right. He’s a dork and he can’t help it.”

I knew that JC had quirks and his dorky moments, but that didn’t bother me at all. Every time I was around him he amused me and sometimes he did provide words of wisdom. He could be a dork all day and I’d still find him attractive as hell.

I then walked out of the gym with Lila and we said our goodbyes and goodnights. She promised to pick me up on Saturday and I told her I’d see her then. I got into my car and then settled into my seat. I revved the engine up and watched as Lila pulled out of the parking lot first. She gave me a wave and I quickly waved back. Then I gripped the steering wheel and sighed, backing out of my parking spot.

She was going home to Peanut and mostly likely Marco was going to spend the night with her. I was going home to no pet and no man. Right now all I really wanted was for Friday to come. At least then I could pretend JC was all mine, while I dressed him.

Chapter 3 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
I wanted to get this one out a bit sooner, but it just took a little more time. The beginning is sorta eh...but it gets better half way. ;)
Last night, I had checked my e-mail just before going to bed and was glad to see that JC had managed to get back to me. He assured me that the afternoon would work for him as well, and that he’d be in around 3 o’clock today to find his outfit for the Oscar party. I was so glad it was Friday and that the weekend would be here, but not until I got through all of my morning clients and took care of JC.

I was just glad that when I walked into the office that my appointment that was suppose to be the last of the day, had been rescheduled for next week, meaning that I’d get to end my week on a high note. Maybe even a literal one if JC wanted to bust out in song for me, but I knew that was surely not going to happen. It just made me happy though because I could take my time with him and not feel rushed.

I took my seat at my desk and made a couple calls, before I went into the lounge and found some orange juice and a chocolate-frosted donut. Apparently, there was no coffee today and I realized I’d have to go get a cup from down the street sometime later in the day. I knew it wouldn’t be anytime soon, seeing as I was just about to start my first appointment. I ate the donut as fast as I could and swallowed it down with the orange juice, before wiping my face and making myself presentable again.

Then I made my way over to the showroom and found the rack of clothing I had picked out to show my first client. I double checked that all the pieces were accounted for and that the sizes were exactly what I needed as well. I then heard one of the interns walk in and announce that my client had arrived. I watched as another teen pop wannabe walked into the showroom and she had a smile plastered upon her face. It was like a beauty pageant smile, so big and almost fake in appearance. Then as she began to speak, her voice was high-pitched and I realized she could get very annoying, very fast. I just hoped that something I had picked out for her would be something she’d be willing to wear in her first music video.

While Kensey, that was her name, began looking over the rack of clothing I’d picked for her to try on, I watched her with my mind not really focused on the task at hand. I was off in my own world, wanting the clock to move faster. I didn’t want to be so focused on the fact that JC was coming in today, but I found myself doing just that. It’s hard though because I’ve tried to push away some of the feelings I have for him and tell myself that things will never happen between us. I know I don’t look exactly like his usual type, nor have I ever really felt like he would want to be with me. Yet, there’s always that one drop of hope that tells my heart maybe, just maybe, he could be mine. I sighed and watched as Kensey stepped out from behind a curtain, wearing some jeans that had cut-outs and a t-shirt, paired with a leather jacket and some silver chains. She looked punk-pop, as if she was trying to be early Avril Lavigne. I sensed the girl was more princess though and that maybe she was trying too hard to portray an edgier image.

I picked some jeans off the rack without any cut-outs or designs and also a floral, silk top that was more girly. I also grabbed a few pieces of jewelry off of the accessory table and told her to try them on with the outfit. I sensed right away that she wasn’t keen on the idea and she gave me a little attitude, but I told her that my job was to make her look good and give her a good image to uphold. I wanted to keep my reputation of being a wonderful stylist and not watch it go down in flames all because I let Kensey make the wrong outfit selection.

In the end, she decided on going with my cleaner cut, more feminine outfit. I could sense that she loved the floral print of the top and that she was ultimately more comfortable in it. I think she just came in like every other young client, who thinks they have to be a certain way or try too hard, but then realizes they just have to dress like themselves in the end.

Kensey thanked me and assured me that she’d be using my outfit in her video. I was actually glad to finish with her as fast as I did, for the fact that her smile and her voice really did start to be too bubblegum for me. I still had many hours ahead of me and I didn’t need a headache this early.

I crossed Kensey off my list and then checked to see if my next client was in yet. Surely enough, I had a set of twin models waiting and both girls needed fabulous dresses for a magazine launch party they were attending.

After many dresses and a lot of “ooohs” and “ahhhhs”, both sisters found their perfect dresses for the party and once again I was able to end another appointment successfully.

Lunchtime rolled around sooner than I expected, but due to my schedule for the day I couldn’t enjoy my usual leisure break. I had to sneak some crackers and a bottle of water in between two more appointments. Luckily, there seemed to be a lull in the day just before 2 o’ clock and my next client hadn’t shown up yet. So I decided to make my coffee run, since orange juice and water hadn’t given me enough energy. I wanted a caramel macchiato today and I wanted it badly. So I made my way to Starbuck’s and told one of the interns I’d be back as soon as possible.

I made it across the street and stepped into Starbuck’s. I ordered my heavenly beverage and even got extra caramel on top. I looked at my watch as the barista finished my order and realized that JC would be arriving in an hour. It got me excited and I knew soon my day would end and the weekend would officially start. I was more focused now, ready to tackle one more client before Mr. Chasez.

When I arrived back at Divine Threads, I was caught off guard. Not in a bad way, but just unexpected. I could overhear, Lucy, an intern, speaking to someone and it definitely wasn’t a woman. I knew my next client was suppose to be a woman. I got closer to the main desk and then realized I knew that voice. Lucy had to be speaking to JC. I walked past the desk then and was able to catch sight of Lucy and JC. He was leaning against the counter of the main desk and smiling at Lucy as he was in the middle of storytelling.

“Hey, what are you doing here? I have another client who should be here any moment and you’re early.” I asked, stepping next to JC and bringing my caramel macchiato back to my lips. I sipped some down as I listened for his answer.

He turned and looked at me, wearing a smile. “Well, I got out of the studio earlier than I expected and thought I should just come early. I understand if I still have to wait.”

I looked at Lucy then and she grinned at me. “Actually, Everly, just after you left and right before Mr. Chasez got here, your 2 o’ clock canceled. She was in bad traffic and wasn’t going to be making it here anytime soon. So you can take Mr. Chasez right now and then you’re good to head home.” I then looked at JC and smiled at him.

“Well, Mr. Chasez.” I chuckled slightly at being formal with him. “Come back to the showroom with me. I’ve got a whole rack of stuff for you to choose from. I swear you will find an outfit.”

He shook his head, amused. Then he thanked Lucy for talking to him, or more like letting him talk, while he waited for me to return from my coffee run. I watched Lucy blush slightly and wave at him and he returned the gesture, just before following me down the hall. I led JC into the showroom and pulled the rack that contained my selections for him. I had a variety of different suits, dress shirts, and pants for him to choose from. He eyed the rack, seeing how full it was and then tossed me a look.

“Was it necessary to pick this many options?” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, because I never know how picky a client may be and I like having a decent selection. Wouldn’t want you to end up at Elton’s Oscar party in a trash bag because I couldn’t find you anything.” He chuckled and began pawing at the rack.

It was then that I really took notice of the man in front of me. I noted that he had on jeans, a dark denim that hugged his legs and hips just right. He also wore a hoodie, gray with some colorful graphics on it. He looked really comfortable and cuddly. Something about this man in simple jeans and a hoodie was to die for. In fact I could feel my heart start to skip just a bit faster. I stepped closer to him and caught sight of his eyes then. They were every bit of crystal blue that I had grown use to and they seemed to sparkle.

As he turned to look at me, it was like a wave crashed over me, his gaze so intense. Once again I felt the rhythm of my heart pick up and I quickly stepped back for a moment. I turned my head and then grabbed a pair of pants off the end of the rack.

“You okay, Everly?” He asked. “You just seem quiet today or a little jumpy….I don’t know.”

I held out the pair of pants to him and nodded. “I’m…I’m fine. Maybe just a little out it.”

He accepted my answer. “I know what you mean. I was starting to space out at the studio. Just one of those days. I can’t wait to go to Voyeur tomorrow night with you and the gang.”

I grabbed a dress shirt for him to try on as well and handed it to him. “I’m excited as well.”

“Is Nate coming?” I smirked at his usage of Nathaniel’s nickname.

“I don’t think he could turn down the invite. Plus he loves to have a good time.”

“He seems like he’d be the party type.” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, he’s a very happy-go-lucky kind of guy. He loves to have a good time.”

“Well good, then I’m glad he’s able to join us.” I pointed to the changing area, wanting JC to try on the pants and shirt he had in hand.

“Try them on and then we’ll go from there.” He simply obeyed and I waited for JC to come back with his reveal.

When he was changed into the dress shirt and pants a moment later, I was happy with the pants. They fit him just right and were classic black. As for the shirt, it seemed too tight in the arms and I tossed him a look.

“The pants are a keeper, but what’s with your arms? It’s like they’re ready to bust out of the fabric. I swear I picked the right size according to your measurements.” He seemed oblivious about the fact for a second and then shrugged.

I reached out and grabbed one of his biceps, doing my best to remain calm and not enjoy it too much. It was then I could tell that his arm seemed pretty muscular and that the fabric of the shirt really was too tight. “Have you been working out?”

He gave me a sheepish grin and bobbed his head slightly. “Yeah, maybe…you think I need a slightly bigger size now?” I was finding this predicament a little funny.

“It’s possible. I wouldn’t want you to wear this on the red carpet and bust out of the seams, Mr. Hulk. I better find you something else and we might have to redo your measurements if you’re going to keep working out hardcore.” He let out a hearty chuckle and it was like music t my ears.

“I’m not the Hulk. Do I look green?” I found another dress shirt, one that was almost gray or charcoal in nature. It appeared just slightly larger and it wasn’t as predictable as white. I handed it to him, as I sassed back.

“Nope…just white and pasty.” He rolled his eyes and then took the hint to try on the other dress shirt.

Once JC was dressed in the gray dress shirt, I knew right away it was the shirt. His arms looked better in it and the richness of the shade complemented his looks. I felt one of his biceps again and was happy to see the fabric was slightly roomier and not straining around his arm. I knew then that we had to build the rest of his look.

“Alright this shirt is a keeper. You’re not too shabby looking in dark colors.” He smiled and I could tell he was pleased that he had found the correct shirt in only two tries.

“You think I need a vest, a jacket, or what?” I eyed him carefully and then looked back at the rack of options we still had left.

“Mmm…maybe you could have both and even a tie. A tie is a must.”

“What about a bowtie?” I laughed.

“Nope, you’ve had your fair share of those already and you’ve gotten made fun of as well. I would much rather prefer that you listen to me and wear a regular tie.” He scowled for a moment and then sighed, giving into me.

“Fine…I’ll wear a tie.”

“Thank you.” I walked over to the table that was filled with assorted mens’ accessories and found a gray tie that was made of shimmering fabric. It almost bordered on being silver, but still appeared gray, especially with the gray dress shirt he was going to wear. It was just the right amount of flash, without ruining the uniform look of the rest of his outfit.

I handed him the tie and then I pulled a silk, black vest to layer over the dress shirt and then a black suit jacket that would match his black pants perfectly. He didn’t really say anything and took everything I found and went to try them on. I just knew he’d look perfect in the entire ensemble. All he would need was black dress shoes, but I knew that he would easily find a pair in his closet at home.

When JC revealed the whole outfit to me, I blinked my eyes, not sure if I was even seeing straight. He looked like he had just posed for a GQ photo shoot or something along that line. He looked well-dressed and sophisticated, not to mention perfectly put together and handsome. I was most proud of the tie I’d picked out. It seemed to bring out his eyes and work nicely against the black of the suit. I tried to not smile too big, nor drool. I cleared my throat and found my voice after a momentary lapse.

“Perfect. This is your outfit. If you attend Elton’s party in anything other than this, I’ll be very upset.” He smiled and seemed to give off this air of confidence now. I knew he had to feel great in the ensemble.

“I would never want you upset with me, Evers. I swear I’ll take your advice and wear this.” He gave me a smile that told me he was serious and that I had done another great styling for him.

“What a great client you are, Mr. Chasez.” I teased and watched as he went back over to the changing area to get back into the jeans and hoodie he’d had on.

I grabbed the proper bag to put all of his selections in and then took them from him after he returned by my side. I packed it all up perfectly, so nothing would get wrinkled and then eyed him again as I handed him the bag. He still looked really comfortable and cuddly in that hoodie, not to mention casually sexy. I wanted to just hug him and squeeze him, claiming him as my own. I wanted to slide my hands up the hem of the hoodie and find his skin, while planting a gentle kiss upon his perfectly sculpted lips. They looked delicious for the savoring. Not to mention that he had a thin layer of scruff that I wanted to rub my cheek against. It was all so much and he was all too yummy. I clutched my heart and took a deep breath, feeling concerned eyes on me now. Then I heard JC’s voice.

“You okay? Out of it again? Nothing’s wrong with your heart is it?” I held back the chuckle that wanted to escape my lips. If only he knew what was really going on with my heart. He was the one making it go out of whack.

“No, no…” I shook my head. “I’m good. I think I was just out of it again. Mmm..or maybe my coffee. My heart’s fine.”

He seemed assured after a moment and then I heard his cell phone go off. He reached for it and brought it up to his ear. He then walked away from me, giving himself some privacy, but not too far that I couldn’t hear a few words here and there.

I could tell that whomever was on the other line, was someone he was happy to hear from. He wore a smile upon his face as he talked and seemed very into his conversation. I began cleaning everything up and putting away the rack of reject clothing as he finished up his conversation. I also jotted down all the pieces JC had selected and slid the information into his file. I kept a file for all of my clients because it was Divine Thread’s policy, but also because it helped to keep track of clothing and helped to better serve clients.

I had finished up with everything when I saw that he was still on the phone. His mouth was moving and his voice was rambling on. It was an adorable trait and one of the reasons I enjoyed my time around him. He could carry on a conversation, which was foreign to some guys, and he could tell stories with such a colorful vocabulary and keep your attention. Plus, his voice always seemed to be laced with genuine kindness, passion, concern, etc when he spoke to anyone.

“Well, I just finished finding my outfit for an Oscar party. I was just going to head home now….” I heard his voice before it trailed off again and then picked back up. “I think I can call it quits with the studio for the day. No reason why I can’t. My buddy would understand, plus I’m sure he’s got other people he wants to hang out with while he’s in LA.”

I smiled, knowing the buddy he was referring to was Dallas and assumed that he had to be talking to a friend or someone else he’d met in the wonderful world of Hollywood. I felt my stomach growl then and I realized that I’d have to eat something soon. I would probably end up grabbing some carry-out on the way home. Well, unless JC was hungry too and he’d want to grab a bite to eat with me.

“Oh you’re just getting ready to leave now? Well perfect….yeah, that should be fine. Sounds good to me. I’m glad you called. Alright…I’ll catch you in a little bit. See you soon, honey.”

That was the end of JC’s side of the conversation that I managed to overhear. It had me slightly curious, but I knew it wasn’t my place to question and find out the details. It did irk me though that he had used the word “honey”. He has a tendency to use that endearment with a lot of females, myself included, but this time it just rubbed me the wrong way. I wondered who he’d actually been talking to, but tried to not let my mind go down a bad path.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to keep you waiting on me. Thanks again for helping me out, Everly. I’ll get out of your hair now and let you get on home.” JC said, as walked toward me and slid his phone back into his jean pocket. He still wore a content look on his face.

“Oh, it’s quite alright.” I then felt my stomach growl again and I shot JC a look. “Hey, would you maybe want to grab some food? I’m hungry and it appears we’re both free right now.”

He then gave me an apologetic smile. “You know I would, but…..some plans just came up. In fact, they entail dinner at this awesome Thai restaurant. Maybe some other time soon we can have lunch or dinner together.”

I nodded my head. I would’ve loved to grab dinner with him tonight, but it appeared that he and the mystery caller had created plans. I tried to not think the worst. Even if he was going on a “date”, there had been so many of these so called “dates” that I tried not to worry. I hadn’t seen JC in an actual committed relationship since I’d known him in real-life. That fact alone provided some small comfort.

“No worries. I’ll be seeing you tomorrow night still, anyways, right?” He nodded his head and grinned.

“Yup, and Lila told me she’s picking you up. So I expect to see you girls or you’ll both be square.”

“More like you better be there or be square, JC.” I smirked and then watched him, balance his outfit over his one arm, as he stepped even closer to me. He then gave me a one-armed hug and put the smallest peck to my cheek.

“Wouldn’t even dream of not showing up. We’re all going to have a blast. Thanks again for finding my outfit, Evers.”

I tried to forget about the feel of his lips against my cheek and told myself it was just a friendly gesture and that I’d seen him kiss girl’s cheeks before. I nodded my head and then let out a soft sigh.

“No problem. A friend doesn’t let a friend dress like shit.” He chucked then.

“And thank god my friend is a fashion stylist.” I shook my head at him with amusement and then began walking out of the showroom. JC followed out of the room behind me and we reached the main desk.

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow.” JC said, giving me a salute, and then sticking his hand into the front pocket of his hoodie.

“Later, my friend.” I simply said and smiled, watching him walk away from me. Then I turned around and went to my office to grab my things. I still had the image of his backside in my head and all I wanted to do was to see it again. Though I’d just have to wait until tomorrow.

Chapter 4 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
There's a lot happening in this chapter and I hope it wasn't all over the place...lol

Lila called to let me know she was leaving her apartment and had put Peanut in his cage. I asked her if Marco would be joining us tonight, but she informed me that he’d left for a brief business trip. Something to do with talking to important people and wooing them with his talent and charm. He wouldn’t be back for a couple days and Lila seemed happy to be able to let loose with friends, in his absence.

I knew she’d be arriving at my apartment shortly and I’d have to be ready to hop into her car. Luckily, I was ready to get the night started and had my wardrobe all set. I had put on a black dress with a frilly skirt that just went above my knees. The straps of the dress were spaghetti and the neck was cut low. It covered just enough skin without everyone seeing what God blessed me with. I’d fixed my long locks into a perfectly coifed pony tail and it hung sleekly down my back. For my make up, I’d applied smoky eye-shadow and black mascara upon my eyes and also reddened my lips with a new crimson shade. I felt that I looked good and wasn’t necessarily screaming “hooker”. As for shoes, I’d slid my feet into some high-heeled silver sandal and knew they’d be comfortable enough for a few hours at the club. I also found a silver purse to match my sandals and keep some necessities in. I wasn’t sure what the night would bring, but I knew at least I’d look good.

I hadn’t dated anyone in awhile, nor danced with complete strangers. My heart was still fragile from the heartbreak caused by Trevor. So I wasn’t really looking to get random numbers or find a love connection. I just wanted to have a good time and I had a feeling I would. I just hoped no drama would take place.


Lila called me again, when she had arrived outside of my apartment building. I knew she wouldn’t want to come up for even a moment, seeing as it was just a few minutes till midnight. So I told her I would be down in a second and sure enough I was. I slid into the passenger seat of her car and buckled up, smiling at her.

“Hey, Lila. Thanks for picking me up. You ready to get this party started?” She grinned and nodded her head.

“No problem, Everly. You know I’m ready to have some fun. Voyeur can get pretty crazy on the weekend. Nathaniel is still coming, right?”

“Yes, he is. I talked to him earlier and he was putting the final touches on his outfit. He said he’d try to be there right at midnight. I’m pretty sure we’ll find him when we get there.”

“Sounds good. I talked to JC on my way here and he said that he and everyone else were running just a tad late, but not to worry. I told him we wouldn’t worry too much. As long as you, me, and Nathaniel are there, that’s all that matters.” I chuckled then, knowing she was just joking around.

Ultimately, JC was the one I wanted to see the most. I just felt so good when I hung out with him and he made for great eye candy as well. It didn’t hurt to have an attractive friend, but it did hurt that I was attracted to him and wasn’t beyond friends with him. I tried to not dwell on that though.

“Yeah, Nathaniel’s the real life of the party.” She chuckled at my remark in return.

“Yeah, who knows how that boy is going to act tonight.” I could very well see him hitting on men, regardless of whether they were gay or straight.

“As long as he stays in control, it’s all good in the hood. I’d be more worried about Dallas. Last time I was out with him and JC, he got totally drunk. He was a mess and blacked out in JC’s car.”

I laughed, but I knew that it wasn’t the nicest thing to laugh at. I shook my head then and watched as the city blocks passed by and we quickly came upon the club. Voyeur appeared packed or almost getting to that point when Lila pulled into a parking lot opposite of the club. There was a line of people waiting to get in and music was thumping out of the club doors.

Once Lila found a free spot and killed the engine of her car, I hopped out. She got out as well and locked up her car. We both walked over to the entry line and pulled out our ids. I knew both Lila and I would get a good stare down, seeing as we didn’t appear much older than legal age. Even though she was on her way to thirty and I was right behind her at twenty-eight. I was excited to get in and find Nathaniel, knowing he probably cut the line somehow and made it in already. So it was a relief when the line moved faster than expected and we found ourselves past the security guard and into Voyeur.

As soon as we stepped in, we noticed just how packed it really was. It seemed as if everyone wanted to start the weekend off right and I didn’t blame them. I wasn’t exactly sure how we were going to find Nathaniel among the throngs of people. I held onto Lila’s hand and decided to go over to the bar first. If he was grabbing a drink, it would be easier to notice him.

“I don’t see him.” Lila piped up, just loud enough into my ear, as we scoped out the bar. I didn’t see him either and decided to lead Lila near some tables and booths. It was possible that he had grabbed a table to wait for us.

“Maybe he’s got a drink already and saving us a table?” I suggested and we perused the area of tables and booths. I noticed some people were already having their fair share of booze and some couples were making out at tables.

“There he is!” I heard Lila shout and then looked over at a corner booth, that my eyes had missed. Sitting alone and nursing a beer, sat a well-dressed man who was definitely Nathaniel.

“Hey girls!” He squealed, seeing us approach him and he stood up, giving each of us a generous bear hug.

“Everly, you’re smoking hot! Oh and look at you, Lila. Marco should be mad he’s not here to fight boys off.” He motioned for both of us to sit down and we happily obliged, taking seats across from him in the booth.

“Thank you, Nathaniel. You don’t look so bad yourself.” I grinned, noting that his shirt had the buttons popped open for potential suitors to sneak a peek.

He grinned, happy to always hear a positive compliment. “So where’s, JC? I was looking all over for a man with a fedora on, but didn’t spot one.”

Lila and I both laughed and then she answered. “He’s on his way. Summer, Pete, Alex, Dallas, and him were running a little late. Also, if I need someone to fight off boys, you can do it, Nathaniel.”

I laughed again, knowing that Nathaniel would protect Lila if he had to. He didn’t mind getting a little rough with men. It was something he could enjoy.

“I’ll keep my eye on both of you girls, when I’m not keeping my eyes on hot guys.” I shook my head, not expecting anything less from him.

“Or maybe, Everly and I will have to keep guys off you.” Lila quipped and then winked at him.

“No, no, honey. I like guys on me. I wouldn’t want you girls to hurt yourselves over little old me.” I chuckled, amused as always by my dear friend.


The three of us continued to chat and laugh like a trio of fun, waiting for the others to arrive. After Nathaniel finished off his beer, he decided he wanted to dance and so Lila and I joined him on the dance floor. We found a tiny space where the three of us could dance together and not be crushed. It was nice to shake my hips and groove to the music and not feel any pressure since I wasn’t dancing with a straight guy. Nathaniel spun me around a couple times and really was a show-off. I felt Lila tap my shoulder after a couple songs and that’s when she pointed in the direction of the bar then.

“Look, the gang is all here. We should probably go over to them.” I nodded and then followed Lila to the bar, with Nathaniel behind me.

When we approached the bar, I spotted Dallas first and the man was grinning, already holding a drink in his hand. Then there were Pete and Alex, who were looking good, but neither of them were my type. They had beers already and seemed to be scoping out the girls on the dance floor. Just past them was Summer, who looked like a hot mess and had her arm around JC. She seemed to have her arm around him more times than not and it irked me every time. She was protective of him and so was I, but that didn’t mean I threw myself upon him and made myself look like a leech attached to him.

When JC turned around, from receiving a beer from the bartender, I caught sight of his face then and smiled. His eyes were sparkling and he still hadn’t shaved, so his scruff was still very tempting. He had on a silver-gray fedora that appeared to have a reddish ribbon around it and he sported a red and black plaid shirt, with the first button popped open and sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His legs were covered with dark denim jeans and sneakers adorned his feet. He just always looked….too good for words.

“Hi.” I said softly, knowing he probably just managed to hear me. He smiled and then reached out for my hand. He pulled me right beside him so it was easier to talk.

“Hey, you.” He looked me up and down and gave me a look. “Looking to go home with a lucky guy tonight? ‘Cause that’s what your dress tells me.”

I blushed and laughed, playfully smacking his shoulder then. Summer pulled away and tossed me a look, but I ignored it. She began to talk to Lila and Nathaniel instead.

“I am not going to be lucky tonight. This is just a dress. I like to wear dresses, okay?” JC just nodded his head.

“So, have you grabbed a drink yet? If not, your first one is on me.” I shook my head and then watched JC pulled his wallet out.

“So pick your poison, honey.” I grinned and contemplated it for a second, but then gave him a response.

“Grey Goose. On the rocks, please.” He motioned a bartender over then and ordered exactly that for me. A moment later he handed me my drink and I smiled.

“Thanks, JC.”

“No problem.” He smiled. “On the way here, I sort of told Dallas you’d dance with him.”

I looked over at Dallas and then back to JC and I saw a guilty look on his face. “Would you please just do it? I don’t mean to like pimp you out, but he would have a real good time dancing with you. He likes a little cream in his coffee, if you know what I mean.”

I laughed then, not upset, but more so amused. I would’ve preferred Dallas asking me on his own to dance with him, but it was no big deal. I would be a good sport and dance with the man. It wasn’t like I was being asked to hook up with him. I looked back over at Dallas and he gave me a big smile. He held his drink in his hand and he opened his arms, almost welcoming me over.

“I think I can handle it.” I looked back at JC. “Looks like he’s ready for me.”

JC grinned and then chuckled slightly. “Thank you. Now go have some fun.”


I’d managed to follow Dallas out onto the dance floor and we both sipped on our drinks as we began moving to the music. I felt more comfortable dancing face to face, not really wanting to grind with him. He seemed okay with that though and moved to the beat of the music, while keeping his eyes on me. “You’re like a vanilla milkshake. I just want to sip on you.” He purred and I tried to keep a straight face.

“Yeah?” I asked, figuring out that he had to have taken some drugs as well or he was just that weird in general. Maybe it was even the alcohol talking.

“Definitely. How is it that JC gets all the pretty girls? Whenever I come visit, he’s always got beauties surrounding him.”

I shrugged my shoulders and chuckled. “Maybe he has more game?”

“Nah, nah. White boy has no game. I’m the one with game. You can call me, smooth chocolate.”

I just didn’t even waste my breath commenting on that. I knew that Dallas and JC had totally different personalities and they attracted different kinds of women. I couldn’t help it if Dallas just struggled more in that area of his life.

“No, thanks. I’ll just stick to Dallas.” He pouted, but then quickly smiled and drank more of his alcohol.

“You really are beautiful, Everly.” He swayed his hips and bumped a hip against mine. “I need more hot girl friends like you. You want to be my friend?”

I knew there was no harm in saying yes and it was actually kind of funny. So I simply replied, “Sure.”

He then pulled me against him and dropped a sloppy kiss to my cheek and he grinded into me. I quickly pulled back and made space between us again. He seemed a little too happy with my answer. I didn’t feel like being molested by one of JC’s friends, or rather one of my friends now.


He gave me a look like he thought I was playing hard to get and then just laughed. “I need to go grab another drink. I think some hard shit, like whiskey.”

I just nodded and watched as Dallas went back over toward the bar. Then I looked to my right and noticed that Nathaniel was dancing with some guy and they seemed to be having a good time. Lila and Summer were dancing together as if they were lesbians and I just shook my head. I spotted JC next and saw him still where I’d left him, at the same stool at the bar. He looked to be nursing a second beer and just watching everyone.

I decided to return to him and grinned as I stepped beside him. “So, Dallas told me I’m a vanilla milkshake.”

JC laughed. “See…I keep him around for the entertainment value. He didn’t creep you out too much, did he?”

I shook my head.

“Good. Why don’t I buy you another drink?” I shook my head again, but JC protested.

“Come on. One more. It’s no big deal.” I sighed, knowing he wanted to get his way. So I allowed him to get me another Grey Goose.

When it was it was served, JC handed it to me and then smiled. “You going to dance with anyone else or was Dallas your man of the night?”

“Well I danced with Nathaniel before you got here. So that’s actually two partners so far.” I took a sip of my new drink. “What about you? Aren’t you going to have some fun and get on the dance floor?”

He shrugged. “Eh, I don’t know.”

“Well I’ve never really known you to just sit at the bar and not bust out a move the whole night.” I then reached for his hand and tugged on it. “If you only dance one time tonight…then I should be your girl of the night.” I smirked at him.

He let out a soft chuckle and then sighed. “It’s a nice offer, but I think I’m good. Plus, Dallas might mack on you harder if he sees you with a new dance partner.”

I felt my smile turn upside down and it wasn’t the answer that I had hoped for. It was honestly a little weird to me. JC was so good about letting loose on the dance floor and being care free with whomever he danced with. It didn’t seem right that he just wanted to sit by the bar and sip on beers.

“Well suit yourself.” I sighed and mustered up a small smile.

Just then, Summer walked back over and she took a seat on the empty bar stool next to JC. She gave me a smile, as she leaned in toward JC and I just walked away then. I stepped back onto the dance floor and I found Lila and Nathaniel dancing together. I made my way to them and they both smiled at me.

“Having fun?” Lila asked. “We saw you dancing with Dallas.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Well I was, but now I’m not so sure. Dallas is crazy, that’s for sure. He’s a very interesting guy to dance with, let alone talk to. It’s just that JC didn’t even want to dance one dance with me.”

Nathaniel gasped then. “You’re looking all hot and he denied you? Maybe he’s gay after all. I mean, seriously, how could he say no to you?”

Lila rolled her eyes at Nathaniel and then she shook her head. “Maybe he’s just not in the mood tonight? I know that sounds weird since he basically asked for all of us to come here, but I can’t explain why he does or doesn’t do things.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Yeah, who knows. Guess I’ll have to resort to another dance with Dallas.”

“And maybe I’ll have to resort to going over to JC and getting that hunk of man away from the bar and on the dance floor.” Nathaniel sassed.

Lila and I both chuckled, finding it funny, but knowing it wasn’t going to happen.


Dallas ended up finding me again and when he did, I could tell he’d consumed a lot of alcohol in the moments we’d been apart. He seemed to walk a little slower and his speech sounded a little sloppier, as he asked for another dance. He even slid his arm around me and dropped a kiss upon my forehead. I wasn’t all that excited about it, but I knew he was harmless. So I accepted another dance with him, if only to be kind and to get my mind off the fact that JC was being a party pooper.

Dallas and I slowly grinded to the music and he spun me around a couple times, even with his coordination getting a little funky. I was just happy I had more control of myself and managed to keep us from bumping into people.

“So fucking hot.” He mumbled. The compliment caught me off guard, seeing as I hardly had guys using obscenities when talking about me. I wasn’t sure if he thought I was seriously that hot or if his alcohol was just making me appear much hotter than I was. Maybe he was even just desperate to get laid. Though before I could even respond or do anything else, I was taken by surprise by a quick, hard tug on my ponytail.

I was pulled away from Dallas by the force, as another hard tug whipped my head back. I cried out, not knowing what was going on or why someone was practically trying to give me whiplash with my own ponytail.

“Get away from him, bitch.” A male voice hissed right behind me and I dropped my drink, as the man tugged once more on my hair. I was scared then, not sure why this man was attacking me or calling me a bitch.

I tried to get away from him and just felt the man keep his grasp on me. Dallas was no help as he just watched in confusion and I was pissed. I had gotten Grey Goose spilled on me and I had a grown man attacking me. I tried turning around then and the mystery man tugged on my hair another time, the hardest of all, causing my hair to almost come out of the elastic it was tied up in.

“Get the fuck away from her!” I heard then, and noticed that Dallas was pushed out of the way as JC made his way beside me. “Leave her alone!”

“Whatcha gonna do about it, skinny ass pansy?” My attacker asked then, clearly not intimated by JC. Though I was relieved someone had tried to come and help me. An intoxicated Dallas was apparently useless.

“What did she even do to you, man?”

“She told me I was the ugliest dude in this joint and that she’d never ever dance with me. Then I see her dancing with some gay as heck dude and then some ghetto trash, whom are clearly not as hot as me. She’s a fake ass bitch trying to play hard to get. I don’t take that crap.”

The words stung, even if this man was out of his mind and clearly was intoxicated. It scared me that he’d even creeped on me. It was possible he’d gotten me confused with another girl who actually offended him, but to be attacked and called a fake bitch was just totally uncalled for no matter what. I then heard JC trying to calmly appease the situation.

“Listen, man. This girl here is anything, but a fake ass bitch and you clearly have her mistaken for a real one. So I advise you to let go of her hair right this moment and sober up, or I will get security right this moment.”

“Security doesn’t scare me!”

“Does jail time?” I felt my hair being let go and my ponytail dropped against my back. I was free from anyone’s grasp and I was happy that JC had posed such a question.


“I ain’t going to jail for her dumb ass. No thanks, pansy.” I caught sight of the man walking away then and I sighed with the biggest relief. I had never been attacked like that before and it could’ve gotten uglier if JC hadn’t come to my defense and saved me from the situation.

I felt him pull me into a hug then and I rested my head upon JC’s shoulder and I just held on tight to him.

“Oh Ev, you okay, honey?” He asked, softly.

“I don’t know. I’ve got vodka spilled on me, my neck hurts, and I was called a bitch.” I murmured.

“I know, I know. It’s a lot of shit and I’m sorry. Some people are fucking jerks.”

“Thanks for rescuing me. Dallas was no use.” I squeezed JC tighter and breathed in the scent of him, realizing that this was the best moment of the night. Even if I had to just go through hell to be in his arms.

JC chuckled softly. “ I noticed that. I was watching and waiting to see if he’d pull you away from the guy, but when he didn’t, I knew I had to come get you out of the situation myself.”

“Well thank you again.” I continued holding onto him and nuzzled my face into the crook of his neck. It was something that I had imagined doing many times over and it felt comforting after what just took place.

“I think we should get you home, Evers. You probably could use some good rest and some painkillers. Your neck might start to hurt.” I yawned then and I pressed a kiss to his neck, leaving crimson residue upon his skin.

I felt him tense slightly then and he slowly peeled me away from him. His hand went to the lipstick on his neck and he wiped at it, as he slid his other hand into mine. “We’re going find Lila and I’ll tell her I’m taking you home.”

We managed to do just that and found the whole gang by the bar, getting more to drink. Summer enveloped me in a hug, telling me she’d seen the whole scene unfold and was the one that urged JC to go help me, even though I figured it was just her being phony again. Dallas then gave me a hug next and apologized profusely that he hadn’t done a thing to help. He also called me fucking hot again, to which I just nodded.

I was so happy when I saw Lila and Nathaniel then, knowing they were the two that cared the most. They both gave me hugs and told me they would’ve beat the man’s ass had they seen it happen. I knew they would’ve, but luckily JC took care of things.

“I’m going to take her home, Lila. I understand that everyone else might want to stick around longer and that’s fine.” JC spoke up, still holding onto my hand, ready to lead me out of the club and to his car.

Lila nodded. “That’s a good idea, JC. Don’t you worry about the rest of us.”

Nathaniel then pressed a kiss to my cheek and then he glanced at JC. “Now you take real good care of her for me, buddy.”

I laughed, seeing him toss a wink then and JC just nodded his head. I said goodbye to Lila and Nathaniel and then felt JC tug me through the crowd of people over to the exit.

I walked with him to his car and he opened the passenger side door and made sure I got in okay, before stepping back around to get in the driver’s side. Once we were both in and buckled up, he revved up the engine and began the drive back to my place.

I quickly noticed after a few blocks that we weren’t headed to my place anymore, seeing as JC passed up a street where he was suppose to turn.

“I thought you were taking me home?” I asked, glancing over at him.

He turned his head toward me for a split second. “Yeah, you’re going home with me, like in my place.”

That explained it then and I tried to hold back the smile that wanted to form upon my lips.

“You got a problem with that?” He asked, driving toward his house now.

“Nope. No problem at all.”

 

End Notes:
Any comments are appreciated! Hope you're all enjoying so far...
Chapter 5 by harmonysparkle

When we arrived at JC’s house, I followed him inside and was glad to be somewhere safe and sound. Voyeur hadn’t exactly panned out as I had planned and getting some rest at a friend’s house sounded perfect. I hadn’t been inside of JC’s house for awhile, but it was still the same bachelor pad as I remembered, with more stuff and space than one man needed. Yet, it was good to be back and knowing he had come to my rescue. It was nice to know he wanted me here.

“I’ll grab you some water and cookies. Then we can go upstairs and get you settled in.” JC said, locking up the door and then walking toward his kitchen. “Oh and take your heels off and let your hair down. Get comfy.”

I smiled at his words as his voice got further away and as I waited for him to return from the kitchen, I did just that. I removed my high-heeled sandals from my feet and then I pulled my ponytail out of the elastic it was in. I shook my head a little and let my hair fall all over and then slightly winced, as it hurt a little. I knew that JC would find me some painkillers for my neck and I was just glad I didn’t have real whiplash.

“Ice cold bottled water and Oreo’s.” He grinned, holding them in his hands and walking back over to me. “This way you can’t say I didn’t offer you anything.”

I chuckled softly and took the water and cookies from him. “Thanks. It makes for a good snack after what I just went through.”

He nodded and then he led me toward the staircase and I followed him upstairs. We walked into his bedroom and I tried to not look at his bed. Looking at it would just give me thoughts I didn’t want to have. Though I was pretty sure it had to be comfortable and better than my bed at home. We stepped into his adjoining bathroom and he opened up the medicine cabinet and pulled out some Tylenol.

“I don’t know if this is your drug of choice, but hopefully it helps your neck. If not, I can run down to Rite-Aid and get you some Icy-Hot or something other.” I appreciated that he wanted to play pharmacist and was concerned, though I knew a couple pills and some sleep would probably just be the best remedy.

“It’s fine, JC. Just give me two pills and we’ll call it a night.” He opened the Tylenol bottle and poured out two pills, handing them to me.

“Thanks.” I popped them into my mouth and then unscrewed my bottled water, washing the pills down with it.

He then scooted past me, stepping back into his bedroom and walked into his closet. I waited for him to reappear and when he did, he had a white t-shirt and some flannel pajama pants in his hand.

“I know they’ll be big on you, but it’s the best I can do for pajamas. I don’t want you sleeping in your dress.” I smiled, stepping beside him then and taking the clothes from him.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s better than nothing. Thanks.” I retreated back into the bathroom and I changed out of my dress and into the t-shirt and pants. Once I was all set, I walked back out, carrying the water and cookies as well.

JC had changed into a hoodie and another set of pajama pants. He looked comfortable and ready for bed. I smiled at him and yawned softly.

“Okay, honey. Let me show you your guest room. I can grab extra pillows or blankets if you want any.” I simply nodded and followed him across the hall to one of the guest rooms. It was decorated simple, but still had an artistic touch, along with an abstract painting I was sure JC had to have painted himself. The room had a nice size bed as well, though it wasn’t as huge as JC’s.

“This is fine.” I said, noticing the bed had a couple of pillows and the mattress seemed adequately covered in blankets and a comforter.

“Okay, good.” He smiled. “And you can use the bathroom next door. I think Lila left some girly stuff in there from the last time she spent the night.” I chuckled.

“Sounds good and I’ll holler if I need anything, but I should be good. I’m just going to fall asleep now anyways.”

“Me too. I’m tired and my bed is calling me.” I watched a yawn escape from JC’s lips then and he even yawned sexily. I made the thought disappear from my head right away.

“Well…thanks for bringing me back here and letting me spend the night. It’s good to know someone cares.”

“Eh…it’s not a problem. I just didn’t think you needed to be alone after what went down. I’m just glad you’re okay, Ev.”

“You’re such a good friend.” I tossed him a smile and then I felt him envelop me in a hug. He pressed a small kiss to my cheek.

“Goodnight, Everly.”

“Night, JC.” I managed to say in return, only to feel him pull away in a flash and leave me standing there, wishing he wasn’t going to be falling asleep across the hall in his own bed.

I ended up flopping on the bed a moment later and I enjoyed a couple Oreo’s and more water as I relished the fact I was wearing clothing JC had worn. The fan inside of me wanted to scream, but the normal girl who was just his friend held it in.

 I scooted under the covers as my eyes grew heavy and my head hit one of the plush pillows. I cuddled into the blankets and then closed my eyes, allowing sweet dreams to follow.


When I woke up the next morning, I was slightly disoriented, but then remembered exactly where I was. I noticed I was still clothed in spare pajamas from JC and smiled, wondering what it would be like to wake up every morning at JC’s house. I slid out of bed slowly and then made it into the guest bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror and I wasn’t exactly a sight to behold. My makeup from last night was smeared upon my face and I had some raccoon eyes. I found some makeup remover Lila must’ve left behind at one point and I did the best I could with it, to bring my face back to normal. Then I found some mouthwash as well and swished some of it in my mouth, before spitting it into the sink. Once I was through in the bathroom, I decided to see if JC was in his bedroom. Though before I made it to his room, I heard noise coming from downstairs. So I headed for the kitchen and that’s exactly where I found him.

He was dressed like he was ready to go to the gym, as he sat upon a chair at the counter eating some cereal. He had a gray track suit upon his body and I noticed his shoes looked like a new pair of cross trainers. As for his cereal, it was Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I had no problem joining him for breakfast and was about to, until I heard his cell phone go off. I watched him pick it up and something made me stay behind the wall from his view. I decided to not interrupt, even if it really meant I was eavesdropping.

“Hey.” He greeted into the phone. “I’m so glad to hear from you.”

I peeked around the wall and noticed his lips were pursed into a smile and he seemed truly happy to be speaking to whomever was on the other line. I continued to listen to his side of the conversation.

“Yeah, I’m still looking forward to meeting up with you. Then we could grab lunch or something, if you’re up for it.”

“I might have to double check on my friend Dallas beforehand though. He was out of his mind and macking on one of my other friends.” He then let out a chuckle. “Might be better if I do it without you with me or he might hit on you too.”

“Yeah, I knew you wouldn’t really care for that. Oh, but before I forget, I remembered to download more songs onto your iPod for you. So I can give you it back and you can listen to all the awesomeness I added to it.” He laughed. “There may be one or two songs from me. You’ll just have to listen.”

“Okay, then I guess I’ll catch ya in a little while, sweetheart. See you then.”

I heard him end his call then and I was puzzled. Maybe puzzled wasn’t even the word. I just knew I was curious and his phone call had me wondering. It sounded to me like his caller had been a girl and that possibly they’d become more than friendly with each other. Though I couldn’t say for sure because I knew JC was an affectionate guy and sometimes things weren’t always what they seemed.

I decided to stop hiding behind the wall and join JC, as if everything was normal. I smiled as I stepped up beside him and I grabbed the box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, as well as an extra bowl that he’d apparently taken out for me.

“Good morning, JC.” I greeted him and poured some cereal into my bowl.

“Hey, sleepyhead.” He grinned. “Glad to see you’re back in the land of the living. Your neck feel okay?”

I rubbed it gently then and then nodded. “Yeah, the Tylenol and comfy pillow you provided must’ve done the trick.”

“Good.” He smiled again and ate a spoonful of his cereal.

I grabbed the milk from the fridge and then a spoon from one of the drawers, before taking a seat beside JC. I poured enough milk into my cereal and then began to dig in.

“You don’t mind if I take you home as soon as you finish your cereal, right?” I heard JC ask after a moment of silence and I shook my head. I knew he had plans and I also was a guest at his house. I couldn’t say otherwise.

“No, that’s not a problem. At least you didn’t kick me out to the curb before breakfast.” He laughed then and so did I.

“Well, I’m a little classier than that.” He smirked. “But, yeah…its up to you whether you want to go home in your dress or my clothes. Either way, I know you’ll give me my clothes back.”

I swallowed down more cereal and then gave him a response. “How about I wear this lovely t-shirt and these lovely pants home and then I’ll wash them for you? That way you can have them returned fresh and clean.”

“Sounds good to me.” I watched him then drink the excess milk from the bottom of his bowl, causing a milk mustache to form upon his upper lip. Then he licked it away, moving his tongue in an almost sensual manner, after setting the bowl back down.

I think I had enjoyed it a little too much, but was glad he didn’t catch me looking, nor could read my mind.

I quickly finished up the remainder of my cereal and then drank the excess milk as well. Then I tossed my bowl and spoon into the sink, where JC had thrown his.

“So, you going to the gym, after you drop me off?” I asked, as I followed him out of the kitchen.

“Yeah, I could use a workout. It’s the best way to start the day.” I nodded and then found my purse on his coffee table and noticed he’d brought my dress downstairs as well.

“You’ve been working out a lot lately?” He contorted his face and then shrugged his shoulders.

“Yeah, I guess….you could say that. I’m just trying to stay in shape, ya know?” I just nodded again in return and decided to not further comment.

“What are you going to do?” I smiled.

“Get into my own clothes and then lounge around some. I might see if Nathaniel is fine from last night and wants to get together. Anything’s possible.”

“Well that sounds like a good time.” He jingled his car keys, which he had in hand, and then gave me a smile. “So, you ready to get back to Casa Monroe?”

“Yeah, because Casa Chasez loves kicking out guests.” I teased and grabbed my things. I also slid my sandals on and then followed JC out to his car.

We arrived at my place shortly after and I thanked JC once again for everything. He just nodded like it was no big deal and smiled, as he gave me a wave. With my stuff in hand, I slid out of the car and then waved back at him, before closing the door. I watched him pull away then and I sighed softly as I walked into my apartment building. I wondered when I’d see him next.



Later that night, after looking over my schedule for next week and cleaning up around my apartment, I received a phone call from Nathaniel. He was curious to know what happened during my stay at JC’s and even though I told him there wasn’t any dirt, he insisted on meeting me for coffee. So, I agreed to meet him at Starbucks at 8 o’clock, figuring I’d at least get to enjoy a mocha, if nothing else.

I threw on some jeans and a hoodie, deciding to be casual and not expecting to meet my future husband tonight. I also slid on sneakers and threw my purse over my shoulder. I fished my car keys out and then headed to my car. When I hopped in, it was quarter to 8 and I knew I’d arrive right on time.


When I stepped into Starbucks, I found Nathaniel in line, ready to place his order and I smiled, walking up behind him.

“Hey.” I said, tapping his shoulder and he turned around giving me a smile.

“Everly. Hey, girl.” I watched him turn back around and quickly order his drink and hand over money, before turning back to me.

“So how was the rest of the night without me?” He laughed at my question.

“It was crazy. JC’s friends are pretty interesting.” I nodded my head at that and then I stepped up to order a grande mocha. When I finished paying, I further inquired.

“Can you expand on crazy?” He grabbed his drink from the barista then.

“Well Summer, Pete, and Alex all had to take a cab home and Dallas was escorted out by security. Lila had some guy keep creeping on her and I had to get in his face and then I got so drunk I ended up going home with Lila. Oh…and I also got this really hot guy’s number and we might be going on a date soon.” I chuckled, not surprised that Nathaniel scored a number, but amused by everything else. I grabbed my drink when it was ready and then followed Nathaniel over to a table.

“So how was your sleepover at Lila’s?” I asked, sitting down in a chair, as Nathaniel did the same.

He smiled. “Pretty fun. She let me play with her dog. He’s so cute. She also gave me some food and some medicine, so I wouldn’t wake up with a horrible hangover. She gave me these amazing pajamas to sleep in and then cooked me breakfast this morning. I was almost sad to leave. That girl is so fabulous.”

I grinned and nodded my head, before taking a sip of my mocha. “Yeah, she’s great. I’m glad she took good care of you.”

He then looked at me expectantly and smirked. “So, did JC take real good care of you? How was your sleepover?”

“I told you already, nothing happened. He gave me some Tylenol for my neck and a t-shirt and pants of his to sleep in. He gave me some water and Oreo’s too and then a hug before I went to bed.” Nathaniel shook his head, almost in disgust.

“That’s it? You didn’t share a bed? No kiss? Nothing?”

“He gave me a peck to my cheek, but that was all. What did you expect him to do?”

“I don’t know, but more than that. You looked real good last night and if I were straight I probably would've molested you or something.” I chuckled and blushed slightly.

“Thanks, but…I just don’t think JC sees me in that light and plus, I sort of eavesdropped on him this morning. He had a call and I figured out it had to be from a girl.”

“Oh really? Tell me more.” Nathaniel was just like any gossiping girl and he loved to be in the know about everything.

“Well he seemed really happy to hear from the person on the other line and he joked that Dallas might hit on her too. Then he told her he’d downloaded more songs onto her iPod for her and that he’d see her soon. It sounded like they were meeting up at some point today and he also called her sweetheart. So I’m pretty sure he was talking to a girl.” Nathaniel nodded his head, agreeing with me.

“Yeah, it sounds to me like he might be getting sweet on someone. He hasn’t said anything about a girlfriend, has he?” I shook my head.

“Nah, plus he’s pretty private when it comes to stuff like that. Though it’s been awhile since he’s been serious about anyone.” Nathaniel sipped on his drink and then tried to be positive for me.

“Well, maybe it’s nothing serious. You know how Hollywood dating can be.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“Who knows.” I sighed. “If it’s not serious then I probably won’t even find out. I’d rather not find out.”

Nathaniel then stared at me and I tried to ignore it, by drinking more of my mocha. Though when I set it back down, he was still looking at me.

“What?” I asked, not sure why he was staring.

“You really like him, don’t you?”

“Who?” Nathaniel laughed.

“JC. Come on, Everly. You like him.” I sighed and then nodded my head.

“Maybe, but so what? I mean….nothings going to come of my feelings.”

To be honest, my feelings for JC go way back and didn’t develop just from knowing him a few years. I had fallen in love with *NSYNC when they first premiered their Disney concert special and had remained a die-hard fan even after they went on a hiatus after Celebrity. I had followed their career all the way and still listened to albums when I was in the mood. When *NSYNC went their ways to partake in other endeavors, it was JC’s solo album that had garnered most of my attention. JC had been my favorite member and I couldn’t turn my back on him. I bought Schizophrenic the day it came out and I was just as distraught like every other fan that he didn’t receive all the recognition and success that he deserved. It was even more painful for me when his sophomore album got jerked around and Kate didn’t even get a release. I just always felt he got the short end of every stick and yet, he had more talent in his pinky finger than most people had in their enitre bodies. Not only was it his talent and his love for his craft that was something to admire, but so was his positive outlook on most things and the way he just managed to keep himself busy. To this day, he’s a breath of fresh air.

He doesn’t walk around feeling sorry for himself and still makes music for other artists, as well as helps young dancers on America’s Best Dance Crew. He is so underrated and sometimes I don’t feel like he even knows just how special he is. The fan in me, always wants him to bust out in song and holds out hope that he might make a musical comeback, but the friend in me, tries to keep the fan in check and doesn’t hold out hope for anything. In fact, I’ve always played it cool around him, not wanting him to see the fan side of me, in fear that he’d make me disappear from his life. How I ever got lucky enough to know him in real life, I’ll never know, but I’m just glad I became a stylist after all. Of all my clients, he truly has been the best and the one I hold closest to my heart.

“Your phone is ringing.” Nathaniel announced, after I didn’t say anything for a moment and I cleared my head of my reverie. I dug into my purse and I fished my phone out, putting it up to my ear.

“Hello?” I answered and was greeted by none other than JC.

“Hey, Evers. Sorry if I’m interrupting anything. It’s just I’ve got a question for you.” I couldn’t help, but to smile at the way he said my nickname. I also couldn’t help, but to smile at the fact that it was him on the other line.

“You’re not interrupting. What’s up?” I waited for his question, imagining all the possibilities of what it could be.

Hs smooth voice came over the line again. “Well I’ve been in the studio helping out Matthew Morrison and you’re a Glee fan, right? I swear you told me.”

I chuckled. “Yes, that would be true. So that’s the questions?”

He laughed. “No, that wasn’t my actual question. I was wondering, would you want to go out on a date with Matt?”

I froze, wondering if this was a joke and if he was for real. “Wait….you’re asking me to go out on a date with him? Why?”

“Well yeah….because he’s single and he’s looking for a nice, normal girl. He asked me if I had any friends I could hook him up with and I told him about you.”

I thought about it for a moment and then sighed. I mean, I was a fan of the show Glee and I did think that Matthew Morrison was talented, as well as cute. I didn’t find him to be the same degrees of hotness as JC, but it couldn’t hurt. I figured one date wouldn’t hurt and I wouldn’t be running off to Vegas to marry Matt. “Well…okay, I’ll go on a date with him.”

I could tell that JC was pleased with my answer. “Awesome, thanks, Everly. He and I are actually getting together in the studio again on Tuesday, so maybe you can come check out our session and then go on the date afterward.”

“Yeah…that should be okay. I’ll double check my schedule and let you know for sure.”

“Alright. Sounds good. Well I’ll let you get back to whatever you were up to. Talk to you real soon. Goodnight.”

“Okay, bye, JC.” I closed my phone then and I just shook my head in disbelief.

“What?” Nathaniel asked, anxious to hear what had transpired.

“JC called to ask me if I wanted to go on a date with Matthew Morrison.”

“Glee guy?!?!”

“Yes.”

“He’s so adorable, Everly. I’d eat him up with a spoon. So what did you say? Please tell me you said you would.”

I nodded my head. “Well yeah, I said ‘yes’, but how messed up is this? The guy I actually having feelings for just asked me to go out on a date with another amazing guy that he happens to be working with.”

Nathaniel laughed. “It’s pretty messed up, but at least your life is filled with eye candy. Enjoy all the sugar you can, girl.”

I shook my head at his comment and then finished my mocha. I only guessed things would get more complicated now and I wasn’t sure who, if anyone, was going to hold my heart.

 

Chapter 6 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
4/3/11- Imagine my surprise when I checked the archive on the 1st and saw the list of featured stories! I was totally surprised and not expecting for this story to be featured at all. Thank you, thank you, to those who voted and to those who have been reading and reviewing. It means a lot to me. In appreciation, I give you the wordiest cahpter, thus far! :)

 

Sunday and Monday, slowly, but surely went by and I still had nerves and some uncertainty about going on a date with Matthew Morrison. Though I was looking forward to it and had already committed to the plan, I just didn’t know what to expect. I had become a fan of his and kept up with Glee each week, but I also hadn’t gone on a date with someone with such star power. It had also been quite awhile since I‘d been on a date. Plus, in the back of my mind lingered thoughts that this wouldn’t work out anyways and that I’d fall for another Trevor. I had a feeling Matthew wasn’t as bad of a guy or a heartbreaker like my ex, but my heart was still not complete, nor fixed. The shattered pieces clung on to the idea that maybe they’d be put back together by JC. That was another complication. I was going to have to forget about my feelings for JC, at least on my date with Matthew. I was going to have to just throw caution to the wind, as best as I could, just in case my fantasy didn’t come true and I’d have to settle on someone else.

I didn’t want to lose out on love altogether just because I was waiting on a dream to come true. Sometimes you had to aim for the moon, just so you could land among the stars, and I knew I’d be lucky if that’s where I landed. Even if what I really wanted was the moon.


So when I found myself getting dressed this morning I wasn’t sure if it would be a Terrific Tuesday or a Terrible Tuesday, but what I did know was that I was going to be graced with the presence of two wonderful men. I just hoped to not make a fool of myself in front of either and to also not fangirl, while I was in the studio with them. I also wasn’t sure what my date with Matthew would entail, so I’d settled on a light, blue sweater and some jeans, as well as some ballet flats. I didn’t want to go overboard on a first date either. I knew my outfit would be okay if we ended up at a casual restaurant.

I’d received a text from JC, letting me know that 3 o’clock was still a good time to come by the studio. Which was fine by me because I figured it would be dinner time by the time the men finished up their session. Plus, I had managed to take a vacation day and allow another stylist to cover my appointments. So time really wasn’t an issue. In fact it was more of a nuisance, ticking by way too slowly, as I finished my hair and makeup and found myself relaxing upon my couch. I also made a couple phone calls and ate a snack to tide me over. I grew anxious, just wanting to be in the studio and allowing it to all play out, instead of going through possible scenarios in my head.

I was pleased to say the least, when it was time to leave my apartment and head on over to the studio that JC had given me directions for. I checked myself once more in the mirror, pleased with my appearance, and headed down to the lot where my car was parked. Then I hopped inside and looked over the directions, before starting the engine and cruising onto the street. The drive was simpler than I’d expected and didn’t take that long from my place. I found the studio building without any problem and turned into a parking lot. I spotted JC’s car at the end of the lot and noticed I could park right beside him. Once I parked and gathered my purse, I slid out of my car and walked over to an entrance on the side of the building.

I noticed that my watch said it was 3 o’clock on the dot, as I opened a door and stepped inside. I was happy that I was on time and I made my way down a hallway, spotting a sign with arrows and studio numbers. I wasn’t sure which studio JC and Matthew were suppose to be working in, so I quickly texted JC, hoping he’d see it right away. Within a minute, he responded back and I knew my destination. Studio 3. So I found my way over to studio 3 and noticed the door was open.

It was apparent that there wasn’t any recording going on and that one of the men was missing. I found JC by himself, sitting in a chair as he strummed on a guitar. He seemed to be fooling around with the instrument and not taking what he was playing seriously. He looked good though and I loved a man with a guitar. I smiled, watching him strum a little bit longer before speaking up.

“Hey, JC.” I greeted him and stepped inside of the studio. “Where’s Matthew?”

He turned around in his chair and his fingers halted. “Hey, Ev. Glad to see you, honey.” He pursed a smile upon his face. “Matt, actually, left to quick take care of something. He got double booked today, I guess, but should be back shortly.”

I nodded my head and then found a seat upon a couch that was against the wall, across from the sound board. “Oh..okay. Well as long as he makes it back.”

JC faced me in his chair and put his guitar down, setting it on a stand. “I know, right? Wouldn’t want him to stand you up already.”

“Yeah, that wouldn’t be too nice.” I looked at JC real good then and admired the gray t-shirt that hugged his chest and arms. It fit him just perfectly and he looked comfortable, yet simply sexy at the same time. I also noticed his hair was looking like a case of bed head and that he mustn’t have taken time to fix it today. It made me want to just run my fingers through it. I knew it would be soft, silky, and oh so touchable. Yet, I had to resist the urge of doing just that and remind myself that I wasn’t going on the date with JC.

“We were talking about the date earlier and he seemed excited. I think he wants to take you out to dinner and then play it by ear.” JC spoke up once more and his eyes met mine. His eyes were like cool ocean water and made me feel tingles. I just loved the way he seemed to always focus his attention on whomever he was speaking to and gave them eye contact.

I nodded my head. “Sounds good to me. I didn’t dress that fancy, since I was guessing it would be a simple dinner.”

“Well you look good. I don’t think Matt will be disappointed. I really think you two will have a great time. Something just tells me that you two will mesh.”

“We shall see….” I sighed softly. “It’s just been awhile since I’ve been set-up, let alone been on a date.”

He tossed me a sympathetic smile. “You’ll be just fine. I know you can handle it.”

“Oh yeah?” What makes you say that?”

“Oh come on, Everly. It’s not like Matt’s some shark that’s going to bite you and it’s just dinner. I know you can handle yourself around all kinds of people and you’re good company. I’m sure you’ll have lots to talk about and crack some jokes.”

I nodded my head. “Well…true. Maybe you’re right.”

“I am right, plus I wouldn’t have even asked for you to go on a date with him if I didn’t think he was a decent guy. Which he really is. I think this date will be great for both of you.”

I noticed the genuine smile upon JC’s lips then and could tell he thought he was doing the right thing. I could tell that he saw no flaw in this plan and that he really wanted Matt and I to enjoy ourselves. Possibly, even hit it off right away.

“I trust you, JC. I do.” I gave him a small smile.

“Well good…”

“It’s just…”

“It’s just what?” He threw his hands in the air and waited for me to elaborate.

“It’s just that the last guy I loved broke my heart.”

“We’ve all had our hearts broken, Ev. Yet, you just move on as best as you can and don’t give up on love. You still holding on to your douche bag of an ex?”

I shook my head. “No…no, I don’t still want Trevor. Sickeningly enough, I had loved him at one point, but the moment he betrayed me all that love went out the window. I guess I just think about how much I really did love him before shit went down and how I saw a future with him. We were together a long time and it just hurt so much for it to end, especially the way it did.”

“I understand, but it’s been like three years since things ended with Trevor? I mean that’s a long time. I just barely knew you then, but I felt for you. I still feel for you and don’t like that he ended up being a scumbag, but really…just think about how lucky you are you didn’t end up with him. Think about how much life you still have to live and the fact that you can fill it with new love.”

I took his words to heart and I realized how much JC cared about my love life and happiness. He was right on many levels and somehow came across as a love guru. I tried to not laugh, seeing as the conversation wasn’t meant to be funny, but JC speaking to me like he was my love doctor was kind of amusing.

I slowly shook my head and smiled. “You can be a wise one sometimes, Chasez.”

He chuckled. “I try my best.”

“Well you do a good job. I’ll duly note everything you just said and keep it right here.” I tapped against my head and then I heard JC’s cell phone go off.

He reached for it and then glanced at the caller id. “Oh, it’s Matt.”

I watched him answer the call then and wondered if my date was going to be on his way soon. I only assumed that’s why Matt was calling. I listened to JC’s half of the conversation and the further it progressed, the worse it sounded.

“You can’t reschedule?” JC asked, his brow furrowing. “Well could you meet her after you’re done?”

I felt what little excitement I did have, quickly dissipate.

“I mean, I can stick around and finish the guitar part of the bridge, so we’re not behind for next session. It’s just…you really can’t make it back, man? Everly is right in front of me and she’s set to go on your date.”

JC sighed then and nodded, even though Matt clearly couldn’t see him. “Well okay…I’ll break the news to her. Just know you look really bad right now. I don’t think Everly can ever forgive you.”

I knew then that JC was just yanking Matthew’s chain, but part of me was disappointed. Even if I didn’t think I’d fall head over heels for Matt, I still wanted to meet the man.

“Alright, man. I’ll give her your regards and ask her to not hurt you too bad. Maybe she can come to our session on Friday and you can have your second attempt at a date. Okay…bye, Matt.”

JC then ended the call and slid his phone into his pocket. “So….I have bad news, honey. It seems that Matt got stuck on set and they’re making him re-tape a number for Glee. He can’t get out of it and they won’t even let him come back to finish up his session with me.”

“I pretty much figured out he had to cancel from your end of the conversation.” I smirked.

He stuck out his tongue at me and then continued. “But, he does send his best regards and an apology. If you’re able to join us on Friday, then he’d be happy to take you out afterward.”

“Well I’ll just have to make it work. I mean how could I say no to JC Chasez and Matthew Morrison. I’d be stupid to let such an opportunity pass me by.”

He laughed. “That’s so true.”

“Well then I guess I’ll be seeing you again on Friday. Shall I meet you in this studio again?”

He nodded his head. “Yeah, we decided we get the best vibe in here. So lucky 3 it is.”

“Okay, cool. Well since this didn’t go as planned and I still have the remainder of the day off, I might as well go enjoy the rest of it.” I grabbed my purse and then stood up from the couch.

“So you’re just going to leave?”

“Unless…you have a reason I shouldn’t.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“I don’t know. I mean you are welcome to stay while I finish up.” Then I watched him take a look at the time. “And it will be time for some dinner soon. I could offer to take you out in Matt’s absence.”

“Oh really? So I get to upgrade from a Gleek to an *NSYNCer?” JC rolled his eyes at that one and I couldn’t help, but to chuckle.

“It’s not a date or anything. I’ll save the romance for Matt, but if you’re looking for good company, I can be good company.”

“I know you’re good company.” I smiled. “I think dinner with you would be great.”

“Well good. I could use some good, old diner food. Something greasy and delicious. So how about you let me figure out some guitar chords and then we can go to Mel’s Diner?”

I looked at JC, really looked at his physique, and he really didn’t look like a guy who chowed down on high calorie meals, but he was a lucky bastard. He ate whatever he pleased and it seemed like nothing really stuck to his bones. Between his fast metabolism and his visits to the gym, he wasn’t going to lose his figure anytime soon.

“Yeah, that sounds good. I’ll just enjoy a master at work.” He smiled and grabbed his guitar again and then focused on the chords that he began to play.


JC kept starting and stopping, as well as making notes on a piece of paper, as he tried to find the right progression of chords that would suit the bridge of Matt’s song. It was definitely nice to see him at work and watch him try to piece a musical puzzle together. Even though he was just humming along to sounds and not singing, I enjoyed myself and was happy to see JC’s talent firsthand. I quickly realized I could easily get use to it and that wasn’t a good thing for my heart. I could imagine JC as my man and being his devoted partner that supported all his time in the studio and visited him while he created music. It was something I knew I shouldn’t even let cross my mind, knowing the odds were against me. So I tried ridding my mind of such thoughts and make the feeling in my heart go away.

Once JC finished up and was pleased with what he’d come up with, I was a little sad, but glad to see him put the guitar away. I was hungry and also needed to stop having inner lust for him as he did his thing.

“Let me turn everything off and put stuff away, then we can head out.” JC said, standing up from his chair then and pushing it in. Then he turned some knobs and pressed some buttons. He also flicked some switches and lights turned off.

I stood by the door, waiting for him, and watched him finally grab his messenger bag, as well as his guitar in it’s carrying case. He slung a bag over each shoulder and then gave a nod of approval, that we were good to go.

I allowed him to lead the way out and followed him to the parking lot where we were both parked. JC immediately stepped over to his car and popped the trunk, settling his guitar inside. Then he closed the trunk and he looked over at me.

“So, we can go to the Mel’s over on Sunset. Might as well just go in our respective cars, so we don’t have to come back here.”

I nodded my head. “Yeah, that’s fine. I’ll see you at Mel’s shortly.”

I unlocked my car and then slid in, buckling up after I turned my keys in the ignition. I watched as JC got in his car and started the engine as well. He settled his messenger bag on the floor of his passenger side and I realized I was watching him. I shook my head, hoping nothing I’d done so far had been obvious to him.

I watched as he backed out and then made it to the lot exit, waiting to turn onto the street. I followed suit then and hoped that this impromptu dinner would be just another good time with JC.


When I arrived at Mel’s Diner, JC had beaten me there, but just by a minute or two. He was already out of is car and leaning against it, as he was checking his phone. I found a spot a few down from him and parked my car. I walked over to JC and I punched his arm gently. He looked up and smiled.

“Hey. I was just reading a text that Matt sent. He said he’s going to have a surprise for you on Friday.”

I grinned. “Oh really? Well I wonder what that could be.”

“Me too.” JC then glanced at the door to the restaurant. “Shall we?”

I nodded and then JC led the way, opening the door and allowing me to step in first. Then he stepped right up beside me and told the hostess we needed a table for two.

We were given a booth that was in the corner of the diner and it was nice to have a little privacy, even though the diner wasn’t too packed. I reached for a menu, as did JC, and we both skimmed over it. Everything sounded good and I was happy that JC had chosen this place. Sometimes a girl really did need to just eat greasy, comforting food.

“What are you going to have?” JC asked, as he shut his menu an slid it to the end of the table.

I hesitated for a moment, but made my pick. “The grilled cheese with bacon and an order of fries. What about you?”

“A double cheeseburger and onion rings.” He then rubbed his stomach, appearing a little too excited to fill it up.

“Good choice.” I smiled and then looked up to see a waitress appear.

The waitress asked if we were ready to place our order and JC took the lead. He ordered both of our meals and when she asked if we wanted anything else to drink besides the provided water, he ordered two vanilla milkshakes.

“Hey, did I say I wanted a milkshake?” I tossed him a look after the waitress disappeared.

“No, but, I figured you could use one. Plus who doesn’t like vanilla milkshakes?” I chuckled then.

“Alright…alright. No harm done.” He smiled and then clasped his hands together on top of the table.

“So, you really aren’t upset over the glitch in today’s plans?” I shook my head.

“Not at all, JC. It’s not that big of deal. Things come up and life happens. I can’t be unfair to Matt over something he obviously couldn’t control. I know the industry you two work in and it’s just about being understanding.”

“Okay, cool. I was just checking. I didn’t want you to be really pissed or anything.” I shook my head.

“Nope, not pissed.” I tried to not smile too widely then, realizing that I definitely couldn’t be pissed if Matt’s cancellation of our date had me enjoying dinner with JC.

“How’s work going?” I looked at JC and he appeared genuinely concerned.

I shrugged. “It’s going. I mean not every client is easy to fit, nor please, but I do what I can, as best as I can. I’ve had a pretty steady schedule and I’ve been getting some new clients. In fact, I just styled this new artist for her first music video. I think…Kensey was her name.”

JC then started laughing. “No way!”

“What?”

“I’m scheduled to work with her next week. Her manager contacted me and said he thinks I could definitely get a song on her album.. He was schmoozing about my talent and claiming that Kensey needed some real credit and I could provide it.”

“Seriously? What a small, small world it is.”

“It really is. Hollywood is like a microcosm where everyone eventually works or hooks up with everyone.”

I shook my head. “I’m not hooking up with anyone. I’m not even famous.”

“You could be…if you really hook up with Morrison.” I rolled my eyes.

“You know I’m not like that. I wouldn’t hook up with anyone just for the celebrity of it.”

JC nodded. “I know..I know. I was just messing around.”

The waitress then came by and set our milkshakes down. I reached for mine and then sipped on the straw, tasting the cold, smooth concoction. The sweet, vanilla flavor was delicious and I sipped some more, looking at JC. He had begun to sip on his milkshake as well and I could tell he was enjoying it.

“Mmm..” He moaned softly. “Aren’t you glad I ordered them after all?”

“Sure..sure.” I tried to not give him too much satisfaction and noticed the smile upon his face.

“So can I ask a question?” I nodded my head, not really scared to answer questions from JC.

He rubbed his hand over his jaw and then expressed what he was thinking. “So, when was the last time you went on a date?”

“Good question.” I thought about it for a second, before replying. “I think six months ago. Lucy set me up with her cousin.”

He nodded his head. “Interesting. Lucy is a nice girl. She’s almost done with her internship at Divine Threads, right?”

I nodded. “Yeah, she was given a year internship and she has about three months left. Then she’ll either go elsewhere or she might get offered an actual, full-time position at Divine Threads. So she’s going to have a great future no matter what.”

“Well that’s cool. So you said she set you up with her cousin. How did that go?” I wrinkled my nose and I made a face that told it didn’t go great.

“Well…he ended up being younger than me and cocky in a bad way. Plus he wasn’t exactly my type. He was pretty emo and immature. I think he was just looking for a quick lay and not a serious relationship.” JC laughed.

“Oh man, that must’ve sucked. So you like older, more mature guys?”

“Yeah, you could say that. I don’t go for jailbait at all and I don’t want to baby-sit. I’ve just always had feelings for guys that were older than me. I mean…Trevor was two years older.”

“And Matt is almost four years older than you.” JC pointed out with a smirk.

“And you’re six years older than me.” I stuck my tongue out at him.

“But you said you like older men.” He wiggled his eyebrows and then I realized I should’ve never made my remark. Even if JC was just playing around with his suggestive look, it still made my heart pitter patter and I couldn’t afford that.

“Yeah, but age isn’t the only thing I’m concerned about.” JC’s eyes then focused right on mine, as he posed another question.

“Okay, well what else are you concerned about? I mean…you said Lucy’s cousin wasn’t your type. What is your type?”

The waitress came by then, before I could answer and she set down some extra napkins and ketchup. Then she placed my grilled cheese in front of me, before placing the double cheeseburger in front of JC.

“Mmm this looks good.” I said, just smelling the food and reaching for a fry. I popped it into my mouth.

JC looked pleased to receive his food as well and he picked up his burger, bringing it to his mouth. He took a large bite and chewed, before swallowing. “Mmm…it is good.”

I smiled at his reaction to his food and then picked up my sandwich, indulging in the ooey gooey goodness of the cheese.

“You’re not off the hook, just because we’re eating now. You have to answer my questions.” I shook my head, hearing JC speak up and I knew he really wasn’t letting me off the hook.

I swallowed another fry and then tried to give him a reasonable response. “Well I’m concerned about maturity level, like I said, as well as values and just being a good all around person. I want someone who’s willing to compromise and make sacrifices when they need to. A guy with a good heart and a sense of humor. I don’t want to be bored out of my mind. I want someone who can have a good time and also know when to be chill and just relax. A guy that’s got his own career and his own passions is a plus and him being able to respect my work and passions would be a major plus.”

JC listened to me and nodded his head. “Those are all good things, Ev. It sounds like a huge list, but I think most people want the same things in a partner. I mean no one wants to feel disrespected or unimportant in their relationship. I really think you can find everything you want and more.”

“I hope so.” I said softly and smiled at JC, before taking more bites of my grilled cheese.

“I think Matt has a lot of the qualities you’re looking for. So besides everything you just mentioned. Do you have a certain look you go for?”

I found it a little amusing then to be asked this question by a man who definitely had his type when it came to looks. The majority of girls I’d seen JC with were on the shorter side and had dark hair and brown eyes. Many of them appeared Hispanic or exotic and he seemed to enjoy that. Unfortunately, I wasn’t in that category.

“Well…clean cut. I’m not into piercings or tattoos. I mean one or two is okay, but I don’t want to date David Navarro or the likes of him. I’m not big into facial hair either, but a five o’clock shadow is nice. So yeah, someone who’s nicely groomed and dresses well enough. He also has to be fit, but not overly muscular. I like guys on the skinnier side. Trevor was skinny…”

JC nodded his head, seeming interested in what I was saying. He continued to eat, as I continued talking.

“But, even though he had a good look, he didn’t end up having the good heart, among other things. Anyways, I like a nice smile and pretty eyes, as well as hair that I can run my fingers through.”

“Well you sound like you have a good idea of what you want and what you’re attracted to. Which is always good in the dating game. You won’t have to waste too much time on people who don’t meet your criteria.” I looked at JC, as he spoke, and I wondered if he knew that he met all of my criteria.

I sipped on my milkshake and watched as JC wiped his mouth off with a napkin. He cleared is throat and asked me another question.

“But do you have a type like feature-wise? Hair color or eye color preference?”

I nodded my head. “I’m not saying I couldn’t fall in love with someone outside of my preference, but I’m mainly attracted to guys that have brown hair and blue eyes.”

After I admitted such a thing, I closed my eyes, hoping JC didn’t put two and two together or make some smart ass remark about him having those features. I slowly blinked my eyes back open and saw JC grinning.

“Well this is perfect because Matt fits that. In fact, he fits like everything you’ve said.” I forced a smile upon my lips then and nodded.

“Just wonderful. We might end up being a glee-filled match.” JC chuckled then.

“It would be wonderful. I’d get credit as the matchmaker and my two friends would be in love.”

I simply nodded and then finished off my grilled cheese and picked at the remainder of my fries. Then I washed it all down with more of my milkshake and heard JC’s cell phone.

“Sorry, let me quick answer this.” He said and pulled his phone out.

“Hello?” He asked and then smiled. “ Hey, you. I’m actually finishing up dinner right now and then thought about going to the gym before they close.”

“Oh you were thinking the same thing? That’s cool. Then I could swing by your place and pick you up when I’m ready to workout.”

I watched as he listened attentively to the caller on the other line, before he spoke again. “ It’s no problem, really. I don’t mind having to take you home afterward. I mean…you can always ask me in.” He chuckled then and I could only guess why.

“Well, I should get going so I can get home and change, but I shall see you soon, sweetheart. Alright…bye.”

I didn’t want to think that he was seeing anyone, but catching him on his phone on more than one occasion and hearing him speak the way he did, I couldn’t help, but to assume he was. I tried to shrug it off and smiled when he slid his phone back in his pocket.

“So…going to go work your cheeseburger and onion rings off?” I asked, playfully, not wanting to make things awkward.

“Yeah, like I said, I’ve just been enjoying working out lately.”

“Well there’s nothing wrong with that.” I didn’t know whether I was trying to assure him or myself.

“Nope, it’s good for the body.” He then pushed his basket out of his way, having finished everything, except a couple onion rings. “I’m stuffed.”

“Me too.” I said, pushing my basket aside as well and then the waitress came by with our check a moment later.

I tried to reach for it, but JC beat me to it and he looked it over. Then he took his wallet out and slid the bill back onto the table, along with some cash.

“I’ve got it!” He exclaimed. “My treat due to Matt’s rescheduling.”

I shook my head, knowing that JC didn’t even need that excuse to pay. He’d treated me to things in the past, just because he wanted to.

“Well thank you, JC.” I smiled and wiped my hands once more, as well as my face, with a napkin.

“Welcome, Ev.” He said and then slowly scooted out of the booth and stood up.

I stood up right after him and then he led the way out of the diner. We stopped in front of JC’s car and he opened his arms.

“Get over here.” He motioned with his hand and when I came close to him, he pulled me into a hug. I enjoyed the closeness and caught his masculine scent, like always.

He released me and then smiled. “Well dinner was great and I think we had a good talk. I’m glad you could join me and I really am looking forward to seeing how things go with you and Matt.”

All I could say to that was, “Ditto.”

It sounded lame, but that’s all I could utter then and I didn’t want to burst JC’s bubble. He seemed genuinely positive about everything.

“I’ll catch you on Friday then.” JC gave me a wave and I waved in return stepping over to my car. I unlocked it and slid in, before letting out a huge sigh. I realized we’d talked about me the whole time and my love life. How had that happened? Especially with JC.

 

Chapter 7 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
The beginning of this one took me awhile to get past, but I got over the hump and think the chapter ended on a better note.

 

The next night I found myself partaking in Wednesday night pilates again. Lila met up with me, of course, seeing as she’s the one that’s more gung ho about working out. We conversed while we twisted and bended our bodies in all different ways. The instructor even called us out and told us to take our mouths elsewhere, if we didn’t stop talking. So when class was finally over, Lila and I were both glad to be able to talk as we pleased, even if our muscles were starting to ache.

I listened to Lila talk about Marco’s return and the amazing dinner they had with his mother, while we walked through the gym to the exit. She never was afraid to express how happy she was in the relationship and how well Marco treated her. Plus, she was relieved that she had gotten the seal of approval from his mother. I could see just how much she cared for her boyfriend and how devoted to her relationship she was. I was almost jealous I didn’t have a man to ramble on about.

Once we stepped outside, we walked over to our cars that were parked next to each other in the parking lot. Lila was still talking, but had moved on to a story of another celebrity sighting she’d had. I knew how much she enjoyed seeing “famous” people and bumping into them at Subway. Sometimes she even tweeted about. It was a good thing I didn’t have a twitter account or I’d look like a creeper for JC. That was the last thing I wanted.

I unlocked my car and slid my exercise mat into the backseat, before turning to look back at Lila. She had put her mat away in her car as well and sipped the remainder of the water in her sports bottle.

“So then I guess I’ll talk to you later? See you later?” I said, smiling at her.

She nodded her head and then looked at her watch. “Actually, what time do you work tomorrow?”

“I don’t have to be in until 10 AM.” I watched the wheels in her head turn.

“Why don’t we continue some girl talk elsewhere, unless you have stuff to do before going to bed?”

“Actually, I was…” I stopped myself. “Well, okay. I don’t really have to prepare anything for work and I still got some time until I should hit the hay.”

Lila smiled. “Awesome, because I wasn’t finished with you yet, missy.”

I chuckled, not sure what she meant by that and became a little worried about what she might still have to talk about.

“Why don’t we just go to one of our places’?” I suggested, knowing that going to Starbucks or a restaurant would not be the best idea after doing pilates. Plus I didn’t want to be up all night with a caffeine buzz.

“Yours or mine?” Lila asked, as she leaned against her car.

“Mmm…mine’s fine.” I knew my place was clean and it had been a little while since Lila had stepped foot inside my apartment.

She nodded her head and gave me a thumbs up. “Sounds good, Everly. I’ll meet you at your place then.”



When we both arrived at my apartment building, I led Lila up to my humble apartment and unlocked it. I swung the door open and found it just as I had left it. I closed the behind Lila, after she followed me inside. I motioned for her to take a seat on my couch.

“Go, sit down.” I stepped into my kitchen, opening the fridge. “You need more water or any kind of snack?”

She shook her head and settled onto the couch. “I’m good, but thanks anyways.”

I grabbed a bottle of water for myself and then made my way around the couch, taking a seat beside Lila.

“Your apartment is so cute compared to mine. I love all the picture frames with personal photos.” Lila piped up. “I know I’ve been here multiple times, but it’s just homey and decorated so well.”

I smiled. “Thanks.”

“Mine’s so modern and not as homey. Part of that’s Marco’s doing with his abstract art though.”

I nodded my head. “At least you have a man making you art.”

She chuckled. “I guess that’s one way to look at it. Speaking of men…”

“What?” I asked, uncapping my water, before taking a swig of it.

“What I really, really wanted to tell you is that I might have someone to set you up with.”

“Huh?” I looked at her confused.

Lila had a wide grin upon her face. “You heard me. I think I’ve got someone to set you up with. At dinner with Marco’s mom, we started talking about his extended family and I found out that Marco has a cousin who’s single and ready to mingle. I saw a picture of him and he’s not bad looking. Maybe a second-rate Marco.”

I shook my head, listening to her and it just didn’t sound good to me. I didn’t want to get involved with anyone from Marco’s family, nor did I want a second-rate version of her boyfriend.

“Thanks, but no thanks.” I drank more of my water and sighed.

“But come on, Everly! It’s time to find you someone.” I then debated whether I should tell her or not, but decided I should, so she’d let me off the hook a little.

“Well….actually…JC is trying to play matchmaker. He kind of already got me a date with someone.” Lila’s eyes went wide.

“Tell me more!”

I bit on my lip, before continuing. “I have a date with Matthew Morrison on Friday. We were suppose to go out already, but had to reschedule.”

“Oh damn…that’s right.” She shook her head. “JC has been working with him on music. I just can’t believe he’s setting you two up.”

I tossed my hands in the air. “Well I guess Matt is single too and asked if JC had someone to hook him up with. So I was the suggested date.”

Lila grinned. “Well that’s awesome, girl. I mean…Matthew Morrison isn’t all that bad looking. Plus, he seems like he could be a real nice guy.”

I nodded. “Yeah. So we’ll see how it goes.”

Lila gave me a hopeful look. “Just relax and have fun. You never know. Anything’s possible when it comes to love.”

“Thanks, Lila. I’ll keep that in mind.”

I heard a beeping sound then and watched as Lila reached for her phone. She looked at me and held it up, before opening it. “Text message.”

“Anything good?” She chuckled then.

“It’s JC. He’s just letting me know he found a book that I might like to read.” I laughed then.

“He’s so random.” Lila nodded her head.

“Yeah, he certainly can be.” I set my bottle of water down on my coffee table then and against my better judgment, posed a question at Lila.

“Have you noticed anything different or odd in JC’s behavior lately?”

“You mean like him going to the gym a lot more often now and backing out of plans or rescheduling?” I nodded.

“The going to the gym a lot part.”

“Well he’s backed out of some plans in the past month or so too. I don’t think his reasoning was work-related either.” I gave her a curious look then.

“Oh really? So what do you make of it?” Lila smirked.

“I think he’s seeing someone. He just seems a lot more upbeat and in a better mood. I bet he’s been working out to impress her. Maybe they even met at the gym.”

“And been ditching plans for her?”

Lila nodded. “Yeah, I think that could be the case.”

I didn’t like to think of JC dating anyone, even if I was having my own suspicions. To hear Lila validate my fears, stung a little. Well it stung a lot.

“Well I’ve heard him talking to a girl a few times on the phone and calling her honey or sweetheart.” I added, not knowing why.

“Yeah, then it’s a real good possibility he’s been seeing someone.” I sighed then and felt my heart drop a little.

I don’t know why it hurt even without 100% validation from JC. I knew he wasn’t going to sweep me up and take me to his bed anytime soon, but a girl still liked to dream. I didn’t want to lie in bed, knowing he could very well be laying in bed with some other girl.

“Everly?” I didn’t say anything at first.

“Everly?” Lila repeated my name and then I looked back at her.

“Huh?”

“You okay?” She asked, as my eyes then darted across the room to a collage of photos in a frame. One of the photos was of me and JC, after the first time I’d styled him an outfit. He was breathtaking in it. I tried to look away from the photo then and slowly nodded my head.

“You sure?” She asked. “You got quiet as soon as I told you it was a real good possibility JC is seeing someone.” Then I watched the light bulb go off in her head. Slowly, but surely, the light came onto full wattage.

I looked away from her then and stood up from the couch, picking up my water bottle. I made my way over to the trash can in my kitchen to dispose of it.

“Hold on…” She pointed her finger at me then. “Not so fast. You can’t just walk away and avoid the subject.”

“What is the subject?” I asked, just waiting for the inevitable.

“JC. You like JC. I mean you really like JC!” I tried to not give it away, but I failed.

“So…” She then started laughing.

“My fucking god, Everly! How did I not see this sooner?” I shrugged my shoulders.

“And now he’s setting you up with Matt, while he might also be seeing some chick. Damn…this is one big hot mess. You’re really in for it, girl.” Lila continued on and I sighed.

“I’m not in for anything, at least I don’t think I am. I mean, things might not even spark between me and Matt and JC may never want me like that anyways. If anything, my heart is just going to continue to feel shattered; incomplete.” Lila gave me a sympathetic smile.

“Don’t think like that, girl. As I told you before…anything’s possible when it comes to love.” I chuckled bitterly then.

“Yeah, and that includes not being loved in return by someone you love.” Lila stood up then and stepped over to me. She engulfed me in a hug.

“I know you’ve had some hardships in your love life and I’m sorry about that, Everly. I really am, but most people don’t get a fairytale in one shot. You just need to keep trying. As for you liking JC, well that’s just something you need to figure out. I mean…I’m pleasantly surprised and think you’d be a cute couple, but seeing as you’re both my friends, I can’t really say how you should approach things.” I nodded, understanding.

“I don’t even know how to approach things. This is why I’ve just never said anything and kept my feelings inside.” She gave me a smile, releasing me from her arms.

“Well…maybe you should come up with a plan or something? The worst thing that could happen is that JC turns you down.” I shook my head.

“No, the worst thing that could happen is I lose him as a friend and then he’s no longer in my life.”

“I don’t think he’d sink that low. You’re such a great friend to him and you two have a bond. He’d never just let you go completely.” I hoped Lila was right, since I feared that things would change if my feelings ever came to be known by JC.

“I’d like to think that.” I mustered up smile and then a sigh escaped my lips.

Lila gave me a pat on the back. “It’ll all work out, girl. Don’t worry about it. You’ll end up with who you’re meant to end up with.”

I didn’t bother to say anything else, not wanting to talk in circles and hearing more lovey dovey crap from Lila.



A little while later, after Lila left and I’d changed into my pajamas, I slid into bed, deciding to turn on a movie and fall asleep to it. I channel surfed for a little bit, before finding Dirty Dancing playing once again on TBS. I decided to settle on it, even if it was one of those hopeless romantic movies with the perfect ending. I was hoping it would at least bring me sweet dreams.

About half way through the movie and my eyes feeling heavier, my cell phone, which was placed upon my nightstand, rang. I wasn’t expecting anyone to call me and not with it being as late it was. I knew most of my friends would be getting up in the morning for busy work days. I slowly reached out and grabbed my phone, looking down at it first to see if I recognized the number. Sure enough, I did.

“Hey, Nathaniel.” I answered. “What’s up?”

His voice came through the line. “Hey, Everly. Sorry if you were sleeping. I was just calling to let you know I’m not coming into the office tomorrow. I’m using up a vacation day to spend it with the cute guy I met at Voyeur.”

I chuckled, amused that was the reason he was calling and amused by how he was using up one of his vacation days. Though I knew just how boy crazy my friend was and if he wanted to have his cake and eat it two, I wouldn’t stop him.

“Oh, okay. Well I hope you have fun with this guy. What’s his name?”

“His name is Pierre. He’s originally from Paris and has this sexy accent. Plus his fashion sense is like amazing. He’s actually launching his own line and said he’d show me his stuff.” Nathaniel explained, sounding thrilled about his new suitor. “I think I might have to sleep with him just to get access to his closet and raid it.”

I laughed, heartily. “Sleeping with someone just to steal fashionable clothes? Really?”

Nathaniel laughed as well. “Well it would be a perk, beside having his hot bod on top of mine and bringing me to sweet ecstasy.

“You’re something else.”

“You love me, Ev.” It was true and even if he sounded ridiculous sometimes, he was one of my best friends.

“Yeah…yeah. I do. Anyways, is that all?”

“Oh, I forgot to check in with you and find out how your date with Mr. Matthew Morrison went.”

“It didn’t happen yet. Matt had to reschedule for this Friday. So I’m meeting him and JC in the studio and then we’ll be going on our date.”

“I see…I see. I’m still jealous you have the opportunity to be in the same room with both of them at the same time. I think I’d have a hot boy-gasm, if I had that chance.” I laughed.

I knew it was true. Both of the men were sights for sore eyes and made girls and gay guys adore them. I just had a little more self-restraint than Nathaniel. I could and would be as cool as a cucumber, or at least I hoped so, when I was around both of them.

“Well, maybe you will get the chance.”

“You know I’d love that. You’ll just have to let me know which one you’re calling dibs on before it happens.” I laughed.

I knew I’d always want JC and it would take an extremely amazing date with Matthew for me to pick him instead.

“Yeah, we’ll just um…worry about that later.” I looked at the clock then and realized I really should get to sleep. “I’m going to get to bed, but have a nice day tomorrow with Pierre.”

“Oh I will.” Nathaniel laughed. “Goodnight, Everly.”

“Night.”

I set my phone back upon my nightstand and then decided to not even catch the remainder of Dirty Dancing. The ending would only make me wish I was Jennifer Grey and JC was Patrick Swayze. I pressed the power button on my TV remote and watched my television flicker off. Then I slid further into the sheets of my bed and settled my head upon my pillow, as I got comfortable. I reached my hand out to my lamp and twisted the little knob that would turn off the light. As soon as my lamp turned off, I closed my eyes and turned onto my side.

I lay still, letting out a yawn, as I waited for sleep to overtake my body. Just as I could feel myself falling asleep, I was surprised by another ring of my phone. I almost didn’t want to answer it and let voicemail pick up, but I decided in the end to answer. My eyes saw JC’s number on the caller ID, after I picked up the phone. I quickly flipped it open.

“JC?” I wasn’t sure what he would be calling for, even if I was more than happy to take his call. “I was just about to fall asleep, but you rang. What’s up?

“Shit..sorry. I’m sorry.” He said on the other line. “I was debating whether or not to call, but I just got done with a late session with Kensey and hoped you were still awake.”

“It’s okay. It’s not like I had actually fallen in to a deep sleep yet.”

“Good.” He sighed softly, as if he was relieved.

“And the reason you’re calling….” I pushed him to get his words out.

“Oh yeah. I must be tired too.” He chuckled softly. “The reason I was calling was because I’m so very happy to say that ABDC is coming back real soon and I had a meeting earlier in the day with Randy and some people at MTV….”

“And?” I couldn’t help, but to smile hearing that the show would be back for another season. I liked it when he was busy and still getting exposure. I knew he was dedicated to the show and enjoyed staying busy as well.

“It seems that the stylist we had for the show is no longer going to be with us.”

“That’s good though. Maybe the new one will keep the crews looking stylish and actually make sure you look good too.”

“Hey!” I chuckled.

“Not that you ever looked bad, but some outfits in the past seasons have been questionable. I mean…I don’t want to see grandpa sweaters or a million layers this season. Also, stay away from the bowties, unless you’re in tuxedo.”

He laughed then and I knew he really wasn’t offended. He knew how to take criticism and laugh at himself. He also knew that I knew what I was talking about when it came to fashion.

“Thank you, Miss Monroe. You really know how to keep clients coming back for more expertise.” I chuckled again.

“You’re very welcome.” I heard the sound of a keyboard then and knew JC had to still be in the studio. He plunked away at a few keys and then I heard him speak up again.

“As I was saying before you started to talk about my clothes…” I heard him take a breath and continue. “The show will be getting a new wardrobe stylist, yet they haven’t made an official decision on the position. Yet, it has to be made soon and Randy wants to use someone fresh and not already styling for other shows.”

“Mmhmm….” I continued to listen, wondering where this was going.

“So, he asked people to toss out names of stylists they had used in the past and I may or may not have thrown your name out there.” I heard his words and I was more than pleasantly surprised. I was shocked. To even have him suggest me was one of the kindest things ever.

“You did not!” I cried out.

“I did.” I knew he was wearing a smug smile, even if I couldn’t see it.

“Wow…well, thank you.”

“Welcome. So Randy wants to meet all the stylists we came up with and see if he thinks anyone will fit the bill. I gave him your information and told him it would be best to meet you at Divine Threads.”

“Sounds great, JC. You know the opportunity to even be considered is awesome. Thanks again.”

“No problem, Ev. I do what I can to help out.” I heard him play a few chords and then hum a little.

“You can’t seem to stop, can you?” I asked then, knowing he had the tendency to keep working when he should get some sleep.

“Guilty.” He said, hitting more keys on the keyboard. “I just want to get a good, solid song for Kensey. We have one roughly cut, but I don’t think it’s my best. I want something better and that will make people take her music seriously.”

“Your worst is still better than some people’s best. Keep that in mind.”

“Really? How nice of you to say, Evers.”

“It’s the truth.” I insisted and looked at my clock, seeing that many minutes had passed by and left me with less time to sleep. I didn’t want to hang up on him, so I decided I’d let him end the call, even if it took away from my beauty sleep.

“Thanks.” I knew he was always non-chalant about his talent and wasn’t boastful by any means about it. Which only made me respect him even more, as a fan and a friend.

“You’re still coming to the studio on Friday? Not backing out, are you?” He asked then and I knew he thought there was a possibility I’d ditch.

“I will be at the studio. I will go on a date with Matt. Don’t worry.”

“Good, just checking.”

“Mmhmm.”

“I already told him he has to treat you good and pay for dinner.” I chuckled then.

“Thanks, Mr. Matchmaker. Nice to know you’re looking out for your peeps.”

“It’s what I do.”

“You’re oh so very kind.” I then yawned and knew JC could hear my yawn.

“You’ve really got to get to sleep, huh? I guess I should let you go. My bad.” He said, realizing he’d been keeping me up even longer.

“It’s alright.” His smooth voice had been quite a pleasure to listen to.

“Well goodnight, Everly. Let me know if you hear from Randy and I’ll see you on Friday again.”

“Will do and I’ll see you. Goodnight.”

The line went dead then and I flipped my phone shut, putting it back on my nightstand. The late night call from JC had been interesting. I didn’t get many calls like that from him and for it to be in regards about a potential position for me, was even more unusual. Yet, it proved to me that he was loyal and would help his friends out. It also proved that he cared and believed in me and that I meant something to him, even if it was just in a good friends kind of way. Though just hearing his voice before falling sleep, was something that I could only dream of becoming a regular occurrence. If only I could feel his warmth and not be in bed all alone. That was another thing I could dream of.

There were so many amazing things I could look forward to, if JC actually loved me. So many dreams that could be fulfilled and so many promises that could be kept. There was so much love and passion that could be shared and many memories that could be made. The stars could align and a perfect galaxy of love could be created. Yet, I knew there were meteors in the way and shooting stars that were probably more attractive. So, the odds of not falling into a black hole were against me. I didn’t want to be in a black hole and disappear. I wanted to be his shining star. The one that lit up his universe.

I was going to have to stop laying in bed and coming up with cheesy analogies in my head. I was going to have to find courage somehow…whether I told him how I felt or found love somewhere else. I was going to have to put myself out there again and even though it scared me, it scared me even more to think that I’d end up alone forever.

I shook my head and rid it of all my thoughts, finally attempting to fall asleep for real. I would have to just have to take each day as it came.

 

Chapter 8 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
It's a big update...enjoy!

 

Friday morning I stepped into Divine Threads, eager to make the morning go by and hopeful that I’d get out on time to meet JC and Matthew at the studio at 3 o’clock. I had gotten a call last night from Randy Jackson, telling me he’d be in just before noon to discuss the wardrobe stylist position for ABDC with me. I made sure I had my updated resume and dressed my very best, wanting to impress the man when he came in. I didn’t know what my chances were of getting the position, but I knew I was qualified and could make it work around my other obligations.

Lucy had a cup of coffee waiting for me with a cream and sugar, upon my desk. She also had my to do-list sitting out for me and had penciled in Randy for me. I sighed as I sat down in my chair and booted up my computer, as I reached for the coffee. I brought it to my lips and a soft moan escaped them as I savored the taste. Caffeine could really wake a girl up. Lord knew it was going to be a busy and possibly nerve-wrecking day.

I checked my emails after my computer fully loaded and I logged in. Nothing really jumped out at me, nor needed my attention, so I exited out of my inbox. I opened up Microsoft Excel and found some spreadsheets I needed, that included brands and sizes of clothing we had on hand in our inventory. I wanted to be up to date and aware of the new clothing that was coming in. I liked being able to make fresh picks and introduce clients to new looks and trends. Fashion and music were so alike, in the way that they both evolve and were constantly looking for the next big hit. Which is why I loved it and also why I’ve always felt connected to JC. It’s that same creative process of piecing things together to make something beautiful and expressive. The need to unleash creativity and passion with such drive and enthusiasm. There’s nothing like enjoying your craft and connecting with people through it. Except…for love.

Love was it’s very own form of bliss that just couldn’t be compared, nor accurately described. It was just a feeling in the heart that was so over-powering that it sometimes made you do crazy things. Love had no rhyme or reason sometimes and heartbreak was always a possibility. I had learned all about heartbreak from Trevor and I promised myself I wouldn’t be stupid and naïve again. I wouldn’t end up broken-hearted again. All I really wanted was to love again and to be loved. Even if I was scared and uncertain, I had to get over my hump and trust that there was someone out there for me. I jut hoped that this someone could be JC.

I stopped looking over the spreadsheets and drank more of my coffee, before Lucy sent in my first client and I quickly found myself in the showroom giving Miss California a colorful array of dress selections.

After I had gotten Miss California in the perfect silver Marciano dress with rouging and an elegant one-shoulder, which ended up not being such a hard task, as the girl had a good idea of what she wanted from the get go for the Miss USA competition, I found myself trying to please my next client. A woman who was married to a doctor and needed a black gown for a gala her husband’s hospital was putting on. I could tell she was in to brands and price tags, having no problem flaunting the best of the best. She tried on almost every black gown I had and with my honest opinion, settled on a Vera Wang that was sophisticated and classy. I wouldn’t allow the woman to show up at the hospital gala in a dress that was made for someone half her age. I patted myself on the back at getting the woman to take my advice.

Morning seemed to go by even quicker as I found two perfect outfits for two more clients. Soon it turned into noon and I had to catch my breath. Realizing, that Randy hadn’t come yet and he should’ve arrived fifteen minutes ago, give or take, I walked up to the front desk to see if Lucy had heard anything. She said she hadn’t received any call from Mr. Jackson and that she’d let me know if he did indeed appear. So I went back to my office to enjoy my brown bagged lunch, not wanting to waste my precious minutes. I took a green apple out of the bag and began chewing away at it. I also took out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a bottled water. As I continued enjoying my apple, I noticed my next client was due at 1:30 and it gave me a little more breathing room, in case Randy did show up and needed to take some of my time. I opened my bottled water and drank some sips of it, as well as pulled my sandwich out of the little baggy it was in. As I took my first bite and tasted the smooth peanut butter, I heard the phone on my desk ring. I picked it up, quickly swallowing down my bite of sandwich and clearing my throat. I answered and heard Lucy on the other line. She informed me that Randy had shown up and that she’d send him into my office. I quickly set my lunch aside and wiped my mouth with a napkin. Then I stood up from my chair, just in time to see Randy appear. I put my hand out, as he put his own out, and we shook hands. It was a nice, firm handshake.

“Hello, sorry I’m late. I had an interview for Idol run over and then traffic got congested.” I let go of his hand and then waved off his excuse. It was a typical thing in LA.

“Oh, it’s not a problem. I actually have plenty of time before my next appointment. It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Jackson.” He smiled at me.

“Nice to meet you too, Miss Monroe.” I smiled.

“Call me, Everly. If I end up being hired, I’d feel better on a first name basis.” He nodded his head and then looked around my office, before taking a seat.

“Sure thing. So, I’m here today because JC told me you’re a mad stylist. You’ve got some great fashion sense.” I chuckled softly and took a seat back in my own chair.

“Something like that. I just love fashion and have a good eye, I guess.” He nodded his head again.

“And you’ve obviously done well if you’re here and a stylist at a PR firm. To have JC recommend you is a major honor too. He’s such a good looking dawg. Always looking good for the cameras. I take his opinion seriously and so that’s why I really wanted to check you out.” I handed him my resume then, not wanting to be judged solely on the reference of my friend.

“Here’s my resume. Please do look it over and take it into consideration. I graduated from fashion school and also had internships before I got to Divine Threads. I wouldn’t want you to choose me just because I’m friends with JC. Please choose me on my own merit.” He took the piece of paper from me and smiled, skimming it over.

“It’s very refreshing to hear you say that, Everly. I admire someone who wants to get ahead on their own talent and work and not just who they know in the biz.” I never wanted to ride someone’s coattails and wanted a career on my own terms.

“Thank you.” I smiled. “You have any questions for me?”

“Just a few.” He looked at me directly in the eye. “Do you enjoy dancing? Do you enjoy meeting diverse people?”

I nodded my head. “I respect dancing as an art form very much and am entertained by it as much as anyone else. I also enjoy meeting new people and I have no problem at all with diversity. It’s what makes the world fascinating.”

“Do you think you have it in you to make all the dance crews look super fly?” Once again I nodded my head.

“I know I have it in me. I take inspiration from all over and I turn it into outfits that work for my clients and cater to their individuality. I would readily accept the challenge, Mr. Jackson.”

He gave me a smile and then posed another question. “What’s one accessory that you wouldn’t use on any of the judges or crews?”

I wasn’t expecting that question, but I figured it was just for fun. Though I did give an honest response. “I think I’d ban the bowties from ABDC. They can be a little cheesy and you know JC caught a lot of flack over wearing one before. It’s not the most street thing either and most of your crews have hip hop roots.”

He laughed at my answer, but I knew he appreciated it. He looked at my resume again and then looked at his watch.

“I actually need to get going already, but one more question, Everly.”

“Sure…what is it?”

“Do you have any aspirations besides just being a wardrobe stylist?”

“In fact I do. I love styling outfits, but ultimately, I’d love to create my own collection and style people in my own designs. I’d like to be a designer and have my point of view heard. I just haven’t gotten that opportunity yet.” He nodded at my reply and then he stood up. He put his hand out again and I reached for it. Once again we shared a firm handshake and I smiled.

“No matter what you decide, thanks for even considering me, Mr. Jackson. It’s been an honor.” He tossed me a wink.

“The honor was mine, Everly. You seem like a real nice girl and got a good head on your shoulders. I’ll be in contact with you soon, when the decision is final.”

“Sounds good and thank you once again.” He then gave me a peace sign and exited my office. I shook my head then, amused that I’d just met Randy Jackson and not quite believing I even had such an opportunity in front of me. I just hoped I got it, even though I wasn’t banking on it. I wanted to be able to be on set each week and have an excuse to see JC, while making everyone on the show look good at the same time. It would be a win-win situation for me. My lucky stars would have to be counted.


When 2:30 rolled around, I had finished with my last appointment and decided to quickly change into another outfit for the studio. I didn’t want to show up in my business attire. I changed into a sundress that fell a little past my knees and was bright citrus in color. It had some ruffles on the skirt and the straps were spaghetti. It was fun and flirty and just right for the warm weather. Plus, I didn’t think Matt would have a problem with it. I assumed a casual restaurant was in the cards for tonight. I paired the dress with some brown sandals and then bagged up my other clothes. I checked myself out in a mirror as well and made sure my makeup was still on and looking perfect. Pleased with my appearance and ready to get out of Divine Threads, I made sure Lucy was alright, and then I left for the day.

I made it to my car and settled my extra clothes into my back seat and then hopped into the driver's seat. Once I buckled up and started the engine, I was off to the studio to finally meet Matthew Morrison. I was slightly nervous and didn’t know what to expect, but I also knew JC was good at breaking the ice and if he sensed things were awkward, he’d butt in. I took some deep breaths as I drove the distance and was happy when I arrived in the parking lot of the studio five minutes to 3.

I spotted JC’s car and another car beside his, that I guessed belonged to Matt. At least I knew the man wasn’t missing in action again. I climbed out of my car, slung my purse over my shoulder, and then stepped through the entrance of the building. I made it down the hall to studio 3 and then peeked inside. I saw JC first and then caught sight of Matt sitting beside him. I smiled and then opened the door.

“Hey guys.” I announced my presence and was met with two smiles.

“Everly. Hey, honey.” JC spoke first and then Matt followed.

“Hi. You must be Everly. It’s nice to finally meet you.” I smiled wider.

“Likewise. I absolutely adore Glee. It’s a wonderful show.” He stood up then and he reached for my hand. Then he held it in his own and dropped the smallest kiss upon it.

I blushed and shook my head. “A gentleman, eh? That’s always a plus.” JC’s laughter filled the room then.

“Morrison’s just trying to be smooth. We’ll see if he actually has game and wins you over. I doubt it though.”

“Hey!” Matt cried out. “Watch it, Chasez.”

“You know I only kid.”

I knew that JC was just kidding around, which was part of his charm. He could be a jokester and was known to say very humorous things. He made me laugh a lot and he was very witty. Even though he was serious at times, he didn’t take himself too seriously all the time.

“Just ignore him, Matt.” I said with a chuckle and then found a spot to sit down.

JC tossed me a pout and I just rolled my eyes at him. I felt Matt’s eyes on me then and I knew it had to be the sundress. I wasn’t exactly a Victoria’s Secret model.

“You look really pretty in that color.” Matt complimented and I smiled.

“Thanks. I don’t mind experimenting with bold colors. Everyone needs a little color in their wardrobe.”

“Speaking of wardrobe…” JC spoke up. “Have you heard from Randy?”

I nodded my head. “In fact he showed up at Divine Threads today and looked over my resume. He also asked me a few questions. It went pretty well. He said he’d call me when the decision was made.”

JC smiled. “Sweet. Well I’m really rooting for you. It would be awesome to bring you into the ABDC family.”

“I know and thank you. I wouldn’t even have gotten the opportunity without you.” He just waved it off, as if he did nothing.

“Not like I walked on water or anything.”

I looked at JC and noticed he was once again looking casual for a studio session. He had on a green t-shirt and some black skinny jeans. His feet were covered in his black Converse shoes. His hair was neat and his dark scruff was apparent upon his jaw line and cheeks. He looked delicious and I felt almost guilty then admiring him, while Matt was sitting beside him. I had a date with Matt, after all.

I looked at Matt then and he had on a blue button-down shirt and a black tie, as well as blue jeans. His shoes were dressy and black and laced up. He had a clean-shaven face and his hair looked like it had some kind of product in it.

Both guys were good looking and dressed well. They both had brown hair and dreamy blue eyes. They both were musicians and had their own amazing musical gifts. There were so many similarities between them. It was a little uncanny, yet I knew deep down only one of them could hold my heart forever. I just hoped that man would be willing. I just hoped I wouldn’t be completely rejected.

“You okay?” I heard Matthew ask and I quickly nodded.

“Uh..yeah..sorry. I spaced out for a second.” Both men chuckled then and I was relieved neither of them caught onto the fact I had been checking them out.

“It’s okay. So you want to hear the song we’ve been working on?” JC asked, playing around with some buttons on the soundboard then.

“Of course I do.”

“I hope you love it.” Matt said and I knew that I probably would. Between JC helping to write and produce it and Matt singing it, it had to have brilliance written all over it.

JC cued the music up and then the speakers came to life with the music flowing out of them. The beat of the music captured my attention first, it sounding very JC-esque and then the vocals from Matt came in and they were smooth. The song was catchy as it progressed to the chorus and it really was refreshing. It really did make me want to dance in the rain, let loose, and have fun. There was something sophisticated, yet slightly sexy about the song and I knew it was a winner.

“It sounds great, guys.” I smiled widely, clapping my hands as well. The fan in me was more than pleased and I knew I’d be purchasing Matthew’s album once it came out. “I really enjoyed it.”

Matt and JC both smiled then, happy to see they won me over and that the song appeared to be a success.

“Thanks, Ev.” JC piped up. “Glad you liked it.”

“Yes, thank you.” Matt said, beaming from my kind words.

“Just saying the truth.” I insisted and then JC decided to replay the song, allowing me to hear it again. I didn’t mind at all.

After the song finished playing the second time, JC excused himself for a moment and left me in the studio alone with Matt. I swallowed hard, not sure what to say then, feeling Matt’s eyes on me and I shyly smiled at him then.

“So…from what I’ve heard, you’re a fashion stylist? That’s pretty cool.” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, that’s true. I’m one of the lead stylists for Divine Threads Fashion PR. That’s how I met JC. He came in one day a few years ago and I was assigned to him. It’s a great job.”

“I see…well that’s neat. JC’s a great guy and I’m glad he met you, so he could introduce me to you.” I tried to not blush then and simply nodded.

“I’m glad he could introduce us to each other. It’s good to have a mutual friend.” Matt nodded his head.

“I’ve been single for awhile and it’s so hard to trust girls now without worrying they just want Mr. Shue and not me. You know?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I know JC has dealt with that too. Once someone’s famous, doubt comes into play. Yet, someone will genuinely care for you and want to love you for you. It won’t be about who you play on TV or how much money you make.”

He smiled then. “Thanks. I can only hope so.”

“So, where are we going on our date?” I was hoping he wouldn’t tell me that my sundress was inappropriate.

“I thought we could go to Ketchup. You’ve been there before?”

“On Sunset Blvd.?” He nodded.

“Yeah, I’ve been there a couple times. The food is good and the atmosphere has a cool vibe.”

“I agree and it would be a nice place to get to know each other.” I smiled.

“Sounds good to me.” Matthew then stood up and grabbed small case off of the floor. He opened it up and he pulled out a ukulele. I knew that it was his signature instrument and one that he loved to play. It was a known fact to any fan.

“Mind if I play you “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” ?” I shook my head, grinning like a fool then.

“Not at all.” Matt began plucking away at the strings of the small instrument and the intro was so melodious.

His voice then came in and the lyrics left his mouth effortlessly and with such feeling. He had a very similar zest and passion for music as JC and it was so nice to have a private performance of the song that had landed Matthew his role on Glee.

“Oh why, oh why, can’t I?” Matthew sang with a perfect finish, as the studio door opened and JC slipped back inside.

I glanced at JC, as Matthew played the remaining chords of the song’s end and saw a smirk upon his lips. I knew a smart ass comment was coming.

“Already trying to win over the lady with a serenade, huh?” JC asked and Matt then laughed as his fingers stopped plucking the strings of his ukulele.

“It’s part of my game.”

“Well you might have to step it up. Only so many times can you take her somewhere over the rainbow.” I chuckled then.

“Don’t you worry about where he is or isn’t taking me.” JC shook his head and looked at Matt.

“So where are you taking her tonight, man?”

“Grabbing dinner at Ketchup and then maybe some coffee afterwards.” JC nodded.

“Cool. Just don’t keep her out too late.”

“You’re not my dad.” I smirked.

“I was just kidding.” He glanced at me and then at Matt. “Keep her out as long as you want. Show my girl a good time.”

Matthew nodded his head and he grabbed the case for his ukulele, putting the instrument back inside. “I will. I will. Don’t you worry, JC.”

“Good, well you two have a wonderful date.” JC then reached for his messenger bag and slid a notebook and a couple other items into it.

“So then you’re both done here?” I asked, not realizing that we’d get out of the studio that soon. I thought they’d still have more to work on.

“Yeah, we are.” Matt answered. “We’ve just got a little more tweaking to do on “Dancing in the Rain”, but it can be finished next week.”

“That’s right…next week.” JC said as he began making sure all of the equipment was turned off and that the studio was in good shape to leave.

I stood up and looked at Matt. “So am I meeting you at Ketchup or am I leaving my car here?”

“Normally, I’d be a kind gentleman and drive us both to the restaurant, but maybe you could meet me at Ketchup. I just don’t know want you to feel trapped or awkward since it is out first date.”

“In other words, if he’s being a jerk and the date sucks, you have a getaway car.” JC smirked.

I shook my head. “I think things will be just fine, but I’ll still take my own car. It’ll just make things easier so no one has to backtrack.”

Matt tossed JC a look and then glanced at me. “Thanks, Everly. You’re already a good sport.”

I smiled and then JC stepped over to me and he pulled me into a hug. “Well I guess I’ll see you later, Ev. Have a good time tonight.”

I gave him a gentle squeeze in return and then watched a he pulled back and gave Matthew a salute with his hand. Then JC was out the door.

I sighed softly then, excited to see what was in store on my date with Matt, but also wishing that I hadn’t just watched JC walk away.



A little while later, Matthew and I were seated in a booth at Ketchup, after having to wait for a vacant, clean table. The restaurant was popular and it was a Friday after all. There wasn’t much distance between me and Matthew, as we sat upon the plush cushioning of the booth. I could practically feel his body heat and I could catch a whiff of his cologne as well. I hadn’t noticed it while we were in the studio, but I definitely noticed it now.

Mathew looked up, as he closed his menu, and smiled at me. “I think I’m ready to order. How about you?”

I nodded my head, having found my selection. “I’m ready too. I hope the waitress returns soon.”

He nodded his head and then reached for the water that a busboy had already brought us. He took a few sips and then cleared his throat.

“So…I know you’re a fashion stylist, you’re beautiful, and you enjoy my show. What else should I know?” I shrugged my shoulders.

“What do you want to know?”

“Anything…everything.” I figured I’d just tell him what I wanted to.

“Well….I have one younger sister. My mom and dad are both still happily married . My whole family is hoping I’ll meet someone soon and that I won’t be an old maid. I enjoy writing, music, and watching TV when I have the time. I also enjoy walking along the beach and window shopping along Sunset, as well as Rodeo. I’m definitely dedicated to my work and hope to make an advancement soon. I’d like to get my own clothing line.” He nodded, listening to my miscellaneous facts.

“I’m on the quiet side, but once you get to know me I can be pretty outgoing and carefree. I like to laugh and crack jokes, but I can be very serious as well. I’m just good at adjusting to different situations, I guess. Plus, I love food even if I don’t look like I’m packing the pounds. I drink a lot of coffee and love coffee shops. I just like to hang out with friends and enjoy life. I’m not a gold digger either and I genuinely care to know people for who they truly are. I’m not fake, nor a Hollywood whore.”

Matthew laughed and then he genuinely smiled. “That’s all good to know. I’m glad I’m not sitting with a girl who’s ready to steal my wallet and molest me just because I’m the Matthew Morrison.

“I don’t molest on a first date. That’s the third or fourth.” I teased and then he laughed again.

The waitress came by then and asked for our orders and once she had them written down, she left us alone once more. A few moments later we were brought two glasses of wine, since Matthew had insisted he was paying for it and that every first date should start off with a good toast. So I reached for my wineglass, as he did the same. Then he brought his glass to mine and smiled.

“Okay…so a toast to a great first date and possibly a budding friendship and romance. To good food, good wine, and a good time.” I nodded and clinked my glass against his and then we both took a sip of our wine.

At the mention of the word ‘romance’ in his toast, my heart fluttered, even at the possibility. It made me nervous and scared, yet hopeful. Just maybe I’d get back into the dating groove and find a romance that would last me a lifetime.

We continued to drink our wine, as Matthew then told me a little bit about himself and how his career had come to be. He also told me about his album and how excited he was for the opportunity. He was so thankful and felt so blessed for everything, that I knew he was genuine guy. He didn’t radiate anything, but a pure aura. He spoke so honest and with passion, that I knew he was someone trustworthy and real. He also wasn’t afraid to look like a dork, as he told me a couple embarrassing stories about his past. He cracked jokes as well, that had me laughing. He confessed that he enjoyed window shopping too and walks on the beach as well.

After our food came, we both dug right in and filled up our stomachs. We both had ordered chicken dishes and it was nice to know everyone in Hollywood wasn’t a vegetarian or vegan. I enjoyed chicken a lot and it was nice to be dining with a man after my own heart. Sometimes the little things could be deal breakers and at least our taste in food was the same. Our conversation also died down as we became busy swallowing, but there were lulls of comfortable silence. I forgot that I was even seated with Matthew Morrison. He had become even more normal to me. It probably helped that I didn’t act like a fan or badger him with fan girlish questions either.

When Matthew was done eating, he cleared his throat and wiped his mouth off with his napkin. I looked at him, sensing he was about ready to speak up. His blue eyes were bright and slightly captivating. I couldn’t deny that the man was attractive and I continued watching him.

“Well dinner was great. I’m stuffed now.” I nodded my head, swallowing my last piece of food.

“Me too. The chicken was delicious.” I wiped my mouth and sipped on some water then, before gazing back at Matt.

“Yeah it was. So I’m guessing it’s a ‘no’ on dessert?”

I nodded my head. “ I would, but I don’t want to be overstuffed.”

“Me neither.” He chuckled. “I’d like to not be yelled at on set that I gained five extra pounds.”

I laughed and then watched as a busboy came by and took our plates away, as we barely had anything left on them. The waitress also returned with our check a moment later and Matthew fished out a credit card from his wallet. I didn’t even bother to argue, knowing he wanted to pay and remembering that JC wanted Matthew to pay as well.

“We going to go to a coffee shop now?” I asked, wondering if the date was already over.

“Ummm….” He looked at his watch. “I don’t think I’m in the mood for coffee anymore, but..we could just walk outside a little. Catch some fresh air.”

I nodded my head, not that disappointed. There were always more opportunities for coffee and if we managed a second date, it could happen then.

Once the check was all squared away and we were set to leave the restaurant, Matthew took my hand and he led me to the exit. He continued holding onto my hand and led me along the sidewalk then, as we leisurely strolled. The colors in the sky were changing and the warmth of the air was just right. It was a beautiful evening for a walk and with a nice man holding my hand. Matt’s hand felt warm and comfortable in mine and seemed like it’d been forever since I’d held a man’s hand. Yet, it didn’t scare me right now. It was a simple gesture and not something I had to run away from.

“So do you have any free time next week?” Matthew asked, breaking silence, as we passed by some small shops.

“I’ve got a couple days off. Why?” I asked, looking at him curiously. I felt his hand squeeze mine then.

“Maybe….I’d like to take you on a second date.” I smiled.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Yeah, I do want to take you on a second date.”

“Well…okay.” He grinned.

“Why don’t you put your number in my phone right now.” I watched Matt grab his phone out of his pocket and then he handed it to me. I let go of his hand momentarily so I could hold onto the phone and press the right buttons to insert my number in his contact list. Then I handed him his phone back when I was done and he took my hand again.

“Thank you, Everly. I swear I’ll call you. I just have to check my schedule again.” I nodded.

“I’m not worried.” He turned his gaze upon me.

“JC, was right. You are a great girl. I love how genuine you seem and how you shared stuff about yourself. Plus you have a real cute laugh and pretty green eyes.” I blushed then.

“..And you weren’t afraid to eat in front of me. So many girls have that problem and I want a girl who doesn’t have to be dainty all the time. Plus, you have a good sense of humor and a good head on your shoulders.”

“Thank you. That’s all very nice of you to say.” He smiled.

“So you said you don’t molest until the third or fourth date, but do you kiss on a first?” I laughed then at the earlier joke and then I grew quiet. I knew why he was asking about kissing on a first date. It was a no brainer and I wasn’t sure if I should allow it, yet I had enjoyed myself as well and it would be good to know if he was a good kisser.

“Typically, not, but I could make an exception.” He grinned.

“An exception for me, huh?” I nodded.

Then a moment later, Matt stopped me from walking any further and we froze in place. Then he faced me and slid his hands to my hips. He smiled and then slowly closed the distance between our faces and our lips met. His lips softly caressed against mine and he gave me a simple, warm kiss that was just the right kind of kiss for a first date. I didn’t necessarily feel a spark just yet, but there was potential. I just wasn’t willing to make out wit him so soon, just to see if a real connection was there yet.

“That was nice.” Matt said softly, pulling back and his tongue ran over his bottom lip. “And your lip gloss tasted good.”

I was reminded of my cherry lip gloss then and I blushed. “I forgot I even put cherry on today.”

“It’s okay. I liked it.” He winked and then he led us back in the direction of the restaurant. We made a little more small talk as we strolled back and eventually reached our cars.

Matthew followed me to my car and then opened my door for me like a gentleman, after I unlocked it. “Well I guess this is it. I had a good time tonight, Everly. It was so lovely meeting you. I’ll call you soon.”

I nodded. “Likewise, Matthew. Thank you for dinner.” Then I slid into my car and he closed the door for me. He gave me a wave then and I watched him get into his own car. It was then that I sighed and I ran my fingers over my lips.

I had kissed Matt. It had been a long time since I’d been kissed by someone. It had been a nice kiss, but I wasn’t sure what to make of it yet. I was even a little surprised it happened. I just knew I couldn’t read into things too much just yet or I’d be jumping the gun.

I watched Matthew drive off and fade into the night, as I finally started the engine of my car and turned the radio on. I turned on my headlights as well and I was ready to shift gears. Though just before I could pull out of my parking spot, I heard my phone go off. It was the three note signal I got anytime I received a text message.

I opened my purse and found my phone at the bottom of it. I flipped it open then and saw the number that had sent the text. It was JC. I shook my head immediately, pretty sure he was checking up on how the night had gone. He probably was going to ask me if I enjoyed myself or if I was home already. I hit the ‘ok’ button then to see what he had actually texted. What he sent me wasn’t what I expected. What he sent me wasn’t a question at all. It wasn’t a smart ass remark. It wasn’t even a random statement. It was a plea. It almost seemed like a demand as well. The words made my heart race and my head went into overdrive. I read over his text once more.

I need you…now.

What could that possibly mean? The possibilities went through my head and I tried to not give my hopes up. I just hoped he was okay. If he needed me, then I’d be there. I couldn’t ignore his text, so I decided I was going to drive to his house.


Chapter 9 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:

FYI: In the last chapter I mentioned the song JC wrote/produced for Matt. It was titled "Dancing in the Rain", but I found out it is now titled "Don't Stop Dancing".

Also, I had an idea of what this chapter was suppose to be like, but it spun a little out of control. Please don't hurt me too much. Haha.

The drive up the hill to JC’s house felt like forever as scenarios ran through my mind. I didn’t know what he meant by his text and I didn’t know what shape I’d find him in either. I hoped he wasn’t in trouble, hurt, or being overly dramatic. I hoped he was being serious and really needed me. I didn’t want his text to be a joke. If anything…I wanted him to need me as much as I needed him. Though I knew that was a longshot. Yet, a girl could dream.

As I finally pulled up to JC’s house, I noticed that it was lit up and there were lights turned on inside the house. It was apparent he was home and hadn’t gone anywhere. His black Mercedes was parked outside as well and I didn’t see any other cars. So I knew he was home alone and probably just waiting on me to show up. I parked my car alongside his Mercedes and then slowly got out. I took a deep breath as I walked along the pathway that led to his front door. I was a little nervous, to say the least.

I pressed the door bell, once I stood in front of the door and waited for JC to appear. A moment later, the door big wooden door swung open and then the screen door followed. JC held the screen door open and I watched his face go from a huge smile to slightly confused.

“Everly?” His voice came out soft and unsure.

“Hey, JC.” I greeted him, hoping everything was okay.

“What are you doing here?” His question threw me off.

“Well…you sent me a text saying that you needed me.” He processed my words and then began to curse.

“Shit…shit. Fuck, I’m sorry.” I looked at him totally confused.

“Sorry for what?”

“I didn’t mean to text you that.” I felt my heart drop at that moment.

“Ohhh…”

“Yeah, sorry about that. I texted you by mistake.”

“So…it was meant for someone else?” JC slowly nodded his head and I could tell he was embarrassed. Embarrassment wasn’t as bad as the stupidity I felt then.

“I must’ve chosen the wrong name in my contacts and not realized it before I hit ‘send‘.”

“Oh okay.” I managed to softly get out. “Mistakes happen. It’s no big deal. I guess, I’ll just leave you be then.”

I started to turn around, but felt JC grab my arm. He made me face him again and then he motioned for me to come inside the house.

“Don’t go…just yet.” He insisted and held the screen door open, waiting for me to step inside. “I’m sorry about what I did, but you might as well come in and hang a little while.”

After the date I had with Matthew and this miscommunication with JC, I felt like going home and digesting everything, but I saw the look in JC’s eyes that he would feel better if I didn’t leave. So I decided to stay.

I stepped into his house and then he closed both doors behind me. I noticed that the TV was on in his living room and that there were Chinese takeout containers sitting on the coffee table. There were also two wine glasses and one was completely empty, as if it hadn’t been used. The other was half full. I assumed then that JC had been drinking the wine and it was possibly the reason for his mistaken text.

“You hungry?” He asked as he took a seat upon his couch.

“No. I just ate dinner with Matthew. Remember?” I heard him chuckle then, as I took a seat beside him.

“Oh yeahhh….that’s right. So how did the date go?” I watched JC open a container of food and then he happily started shoveling fried rice into his mouth. I debated telling him how the date went, but I didn’t want to just sit in silence.

“It went well. It wasn’t bad at all for a first date.” JC nodded.

“Good conversation?”

“Yeah, there wasn’t really any awkward silence.” I looked at JC, as he continued swallowing food down and somehow he still looked sexy. He still looked just as good as when I’d seen him earlier, wearing the same green t-shirt and skinny black jeans. It was almost conflicting to feel such an attraction for him, as new feelings began to develop for Matt.

“That’s good. Steady conversation is always a plus.” I nodded my head and watched JC grab the half full glass of wine and sip more of the red liquid down.

“Yeah, it was a good time. In fact, Matt and I are planning to go on a second date.” JC licked residue from the wine off of his lips and then grinned.

“That’s awesome, Ev. So did he kiss you?” I wasn’t expecting him to ask me such a question, seeing as JC didn’t like to kiss and tell himself, but I chalked it up to the red wine he was consuming.

“Yeah, he did. It was short and sweet.” I admitted and watched as JC still continued to smile.

“Looks like the matchmaker knows what he’s doing then.” I couldn’t help, but to chuckle slightly at that remark.

“Something like that.”

JC finished off the glass of wine and then he opened another container of food. This time it was orange chicken and he dove right in.

“You can get the bottle of wine off the kitchen counter and bring it here.” He managed to instruct after swallowing a piece of the chicken.

I stood up from the couch then and walked into the kitchen. I found the bottle of wine upon the kitchen counter and saw that it was half empty. I also noticed there was a broken wine glass in the sink, as well as a single rose laying upon the counter. I also spotted a box of chocolates in a heart-shaped box. It seemed like the remnants of a romantic evening, but I knew that he hadn’t had anyone over. It really became apparent that whomever he had tried to text was someone of romantic interest to him. The thought made me sick then and I was surprised JC even bothered to tell me to stay.

I sighed grabbing the bottle of wine and mustering up a smile, as I rejoined JC in the living room. He had set aside the Chinese food and was wiping his mouth with a napkin. He smiled, seeing that I returned with the wine.

“Red wine is so good.” He said, as he lifted his empty glass.

“How much have you had?” I asked, fearing he’d consumed the half of the bottle by himself.

“I don’t know. I popped the cork like an hour ago or so and have been drinking since.” I shook my head.

“You’ve had half a bottle and apparently you’re working on the whole bottle.” He tossed me a look like ‘whatever, it’s cool, honey’.

He took the bottle of wine out of my hand and then poured himself another glass. “You might truly need me if you keep this up, Mister.”

“Join in the fun. Have a glass.” He bobbed his head and then sipped down more of the wine.

I decided I could have one glass. Just one glass was all. I didn’t want a one way ticket to Tipsyland. I knew JC was just a moment away from arriving there. I took the empty wine glass that was sitting on the coffee table and then I filled it up.
I brought the glass to my lips and then tasted the wine as it hit my taste buds. I slowly swallowed it down and savored it.

“I saw you broke a glass, when I went into the kitchen.” I said a moment later.

“Oh yeah. I dropped it on accident.” I nodded my head.

“Why have you been drinking a lot of wine tonight, anyways?” He bit down on his lip and started running his hand over his face.

“Uhh…well…you see….I was suppose to be entertaining a lady friend….” I brought my hand to his mouth and covered it. I wanted to put him out of his misery, knowing he didn’t want to exactly explain it all. Nor did I want to hear it all.

“I can kind of piece it together. No need to continue.” I removed my hand from his mouth and then heard a sigh escape from him.

“I’m sorry, but you’re a lady friend and I can entertain you instead.” I shook my head, seeing this progressively getting worse.

“I think I should probably just go and you should lay off the wine now. You can correctly text whoever your mystery lady friend is and tell her you still need her.”

I heard JC sigh. “Everly….”

“JC, you could’ve been honest from the get go. It’s obvious to me now that you were going to have a romantic date at home. I noticed the rose and chocolates in the kitchen as well. You could’ve told me to go home, so you could carry on your evening the way it was suppose to go.”

“I was honest…I told you I texted you by mistake.”

“Yeah, but you certainly didn’t have to cancel your plans and invite me in.” I gave him attitude then, though I rarely did. Even though I loved him, I didn’t want to be in the way of happiness he was finding with someone else.

He picked up the remote for the TV then and he turned it off. Then he put the food containers in the brown bag they came in and he stood up from the couch.

“I decided to invite you in. I changed my mind about the night. Okay?” He shot me a look and then he walked slowly toward the kitchen. I was just glad he could walk on his own after all the wine he’d consumed. “I’m putting leftovers in the fridge.”

I nodded and decided to wait on the couch for his return. The thought of just leaving before he came back crossed my mind, but I didn’t want to leave him confused or upset.

A moment later, I watched JC stroll back into the living room and he clapped his hands together.

“Well…I’m getting a little tired.” I watched him yawn then and I figured his body was relaxing from the wine.

“So you want me to go? I’ll let you get into bed early.” I said and realized I hadn’t finished my glass of wine. I eyed the glass, debating whether I should finish it off.

JC practically read my mind. “No, you can stay. Why don’t you come upstairs with me? You have to finish off your wine first though.”

I wasn’t sure what going upstairs with him would entail and why he wasn’t kicking me out yet. The evening continued to get more and more interesting. I decided to finish off my glass of wine, figuring it was the least I could do since I hadn’t nearly drank as much as JC. Plus, I was curious about upstairs.

“Good girl.” JC said, watching me set the empty glass down on the coffee table.

I just nodded and then JC stepped beside me and reached for my hand. His larger hand covered my smaller one and to me it felt just right. Though I knew he had a tendency to hold hands with a lot of girls and for it to mean nothing. So I pretended to not feel the jolt I felt with his hand in mine. He tugged me toward the stairs and led me up the staircase to his bedroom then.

I had been in his bedroom a few times, but never with him leading me in and being a little out of his mind. I took in the sight of his room as we stepped into it and my heartbeat picked up. His room was simple, but modern. His bed was made and had a masculine blue comforter upon it. His nightstand was filled with stuff, including a notebook, pens, his wallet, a novel, and a bottle of water. He had a few clothes on the floor, but nothing that couldn’t easily be picked up. He also had a TV across from his bed, as well as a stereo system hooked up. I noticed some shoes neatly lined up by his dresser as well and on top of the dresser was a collection of cologne. He also had a couple pictures of his family hanging in frames on one wall, as well as an abstract painting hung opposite. There was just something about seeing little pieces of his life and feeling the normalcy of his room, that drew me in even more. Plus, I loved that his bedroom, and his whole house for that matter, weren’t decorated over the top. I felt like a normal guy slept in his bedroom and that a normal guy lived in the house. Even if some things had cost him a lot to have, he wasn’t about flaunting it. I could only imagine what it would be like to wake up every day in this bedroom with him. I could only imagine what it would feel like for this to be ‘our’ bedroom.

“Everly.” JC called out and let go of my hand. “I’m going to quickly do my duty in the bathroom, but you can lay on the bed.”

I hesitated for a second and then nodded. “Alright.”

I watched JC step into the adjoining bathroom of his master bedroom and he shut the door. I could hear him fumble around with the toilet seat then, as he lifted it up to do his duty as he said.

I shook my head and didn’t even know why I was still at his house or how I got into this situation, but I flopped my body onto his bed and then lay upon my back. I hadn’t ever laid on his bed before and now I was happy too. It was so spacious and comfortable. It was definitely too big for just a skinny man to sleep in. Even with a another body in it, it would still be more than enough space. I let out a deep sigh and relaxed against the mattress and moved my head upon a pillow.

I heard water running a moment later as JC turned on the sink. When the water stopped running, I turned my head toward the doorway of the bathroom and watched JC emerge.

“You know you can get under the covers.” JC smirked and shook his head.

“I didn’t know….”

“Come on, stand up for a second.” I did as he asked and once I was off the bed, JC pulled the comforter down and peeled the sheets down as well.

“Alright, now you can get comfy.” I didn’t know what he was thinking in his head, but went along with it.

I slid back onto his bed and then got under the sheets. JC joined me under the sheets a second later and he let out a soft moan.

“Mmmm…it feels good to lay down.” He turned on his side and looked at me.

“Yeah, you have a very comfortable bed.” He grinned.

“It’s a secret weapon. Ladies don’t want to leave it, once they get in.” I shook my head at him and then laughed.

“Shut up!” He laughed too and it quickly turned into a giggle.

“I think you had too much wine tonight.” I felt the distance between us diminish then as he scooted toward the middle and came closer to me.

“Maybe…maybe not.” He smirked.

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t even kid yourself.”

He scooted even closer and closed any space that existed between us. His arm then went around my waist and he pulled me against him. I was caught off guard and looked at him in surprise then.

“What are you doing?” His lips pursed into a smile.

“Cuddling.”

“Why?” He giggled.

“I just need a good cuddle and you’re a warm body.”

“Are you alright?” I tossed him a confused look.

He let out another giggle. “Yeah, why wouldn’t I be? I’ve got my best Evers with me and I’m feeling so dandy from all the red wine.”

I knew then that the alcohol in is system was making him carefree and on the affectionate side then. That would explain why he wanted to cuddle.

“You’re just being odd.” He ignored my comment and then squeezed me tightly against him, putting his head against my shoulder.

“Whatever.” He mumbled and I reached my hand out then, running it gently through his hair. I had dreamed of a moment like this forever, where I could lay in his bed with him and cuddle. Where I could feel his body against mine and pet his hair. This moment right now was a lot to take in and the worse part of it all was that he didn’t really mean his actions. At least I didn’t think he meant to be this affectionate.

“So you said you kissed Matt….” JC spoke up, after a lull of silence.

“Yes…”

“And you said it was a good kiss..”

“Yes…”

“Did you feel spark?”

“It wasn’t a long enough kiss, but there’s potential for a spark.” I watched JC lift his head off my shoulder then and he looked at me.

“I hope there’s a spark. It would be great if you two could have a real relationship.” I gave him a small smile.

“I know…we’ll see.” He nodded his head.

“But I just want you happy, Everly. I don’t want someone else breaking your heart like Trevor.”

I reached out and touched his cheek, giving it a soft caress. My fingers felt a prickle from the scruff upon his face. “I know..I know. Don’t worry. I’ll find someone.”

He grabbed my hand then and he held it. “You’re such a good friend. One of the best friends I have.”

I shook my head at him. “And you’re nuts right now.”

“Everly!” He pouted and his bottom lip stuck out. “I am not nuts. I’m just feeling free and happy. I’m glad you’re here.”

Somehow the man in front of me had gone from an adult to a little boy. He was acting like a kid and being needy. I’d seen him tipsy before, but never acting so touchy feely and with his head in the clouds.

“You just need some sleep.”

He shook his head. “Not yet. Nope.”

I felt him slide his arm around me again and he nuzzled his face into my neck. I sighed softly and tried to enjoy it, even though this was just a cruel game.

“Mmm…you smell good. Did you wear perfume for Matt?”

“It’s not perfume. It’s the body wash I use. It’s mango-scented.” I heard him sniff hard and inhale more of the scent.

“Damn…I feel like I’m in tropical paradise. I would take a bite of your neck right now if it were a mango.” I chuckled.

“Case in point. You’re nuts.”

“What about my nuts?” I hit his shoulder then playfully.

“Not your nuts. You are nuts.” I explained and he understood it that time.

He laughed though. “My bad. I was wondering why you were talking about my nuts.”

“This is why you shouldn’t have had more than a glass or two of the wine.” I felt his eyes upon me then as he looked up. His blue crystalline orbs stared into my green gems. I could swim in his eyes and happily drown in them. I’d never seen a more beautiful pair.

“What about your lips? Are they mango?” I shook my head.

“Nope and why are you asking?” He reached his hand out and then traced his thumb along my bottom lip. I felt a shock then and my heart started to race. I wasn’t sure what was going on now.

“I’m just curious. Most girls smell good and taste good. You have to cater to all the senses.” I laughed then.

“You’re still nuts.” He traced his finger over my bottom lip once more.

“You wearing lip gloss?” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, why?” He grinned.

“What flavor?”

“Cherry.” He giggled.

“I love cherry. You must’ve taken advice from Katy Perry.”

“She sang about chap stick, not lip gloss.” He rolled his eyes.

“Same difference.” I was becoming more amused by him each minute.

“So, can I taste it?” My eyes went wide then and his question surprised me. I thought for sure he was joking.

“Huh?”

“Can I taste your lip gloss?” I shook my head, not even wanting to set myself up for a sticky situation.

“Aww, man. Why not, honey?” His features appeared disappointed and his voice had a hint of sadness inflected in it.

“Because you’re nuts. You’ve had too much wine and friends don’t just kiss friends.”

He whimpered. “I just wanted a taste of cherry.”

“Why don’t you tell the girl who you meant to invite here tonight to wear cherry lip gloss when you see her next.”

After I said the words, my heart began to ache a little and it hit me that Lila’s suspicions and my own, had validation to them now. JC was definitely trying to hook up with someone, if they hadn’t already become exclusive. I couldn’t believe I even stayed after finding out I wasn’t the one he meant to text, yet there was just something about him that was so magnetic. I loved him and it was hard to say no to him, even when he was acting weird. It was hard to just walk away, when he was the one I wanted to always be with.

“Well that’s a possibility….but..”

“But what?” I dared him to answer.

“I want cherry now.” He pouted again and I don’t know how it was possible for a man of his age to get away with it. He was darn adorable.

Before I could even turn him down again, I felt his hands move to my hips and then his breath upon my face. He closed the space between us and made sure there was no longer a gap between our faces. He dropped his head down and he pressed his luscious lips against mine. I jerked in surprise, but quickly relaxed, feeling his lips savor the flavor of my lip gloss. I had imagined the feeling of his lips against mine for so long and to feel them now was amazing. Yet, the kiss had been just for a taste of cherry, not because he loved me and wanted me. It was not how I imagined first kissing JC and I knew I was in trouble. I wouldn’t be able to admire his perfectly shaped lips ever again, without this moment engrained in my head.

“Mmm…cherry is delicious.” JC said, pulling back and licking his lips. I licked my own, not believing we’d just shared a kiss.

“I bet Matt enjoyed the cherry as well.” He added.

I just simply nodded my head. I didn’t know what to say and I didn’t want to get into it with JC right now. He was tipsy and lovey dovey, while I was a lot more alert and aware of what I was doing, saying, and feeling.

“I really should go now. You can cuddle with your collection of pillows. I bet you probably still have some stuffed animals from fans too. You can grab one of those. I just can’t stay any longer…”

He frowned and then he slowly sat up. “Well..alright. Let me walk you to the door.”

I shook my head. “It’s really not necessary.”

“Just let me walk you to the door.” He repeated.

I stood up from his bed then and I followed JC down the stairs, relieved he didn’t tumble down them. Once we reached the end of the staircase, he put his arm around me and led me toward the front door. Then he pulled me into a hug and pecked my cheek.

“I’m sorry about this whole evening and the misfired text. I might not even remember all of it. Maybe I was a little nuts. Just don’t hate me too much.” He gave me a sheepish smile.

I hugged him in return and then ruffled his hair gently. “It’s alright….you know I could never stop loving you.”

If only he knew how much I actually meant those words and that they weren’t just some platonic phrase.

I pulled away from him and he reached for the door knob. He opened the door and then he also opened the screen door. It was then that I noticed headlights beaming in our direction, reflecting in the night.

“Someone’s out there.” I told him, hearing an engine turn off and a car door open.

“Ohhhh…I’m not sure who it could be. A surprise visitor, I guess.” I just nodded my head and sighed.

“I’ll see you later. Bye, JC.” He waved at me, as I stepped out the door.

“Later, Everly.” I walked the pathway down to where my car was parked and as I did, I crossed paths with whomever was showing up for a late night visit. I caught a whiff of a woman’s perfume and I noticed long hair, otherwise I didn’t gather anymore description of the woman. It had to be a woman.

As I unlocked my car then, I heard JC’s voice and he was loud enough that I could hear his words. “Oh, that was Everly. Just a friend who came by for a little bit. I meant to text you earlier, but I didn’t get the chance. It’s really nice to see you, sweetheart. Come on in…”

I watched as the woman stepped into JC’s house and he closed the door behind them. She had to have been the one he’d meant to text all along. I didn’t know who she was or anything about her. I didn’t even really care either. All I knew was that now I was going home with the memory of JC’s lips upon mine and I didn’t know if I’d be able to erase it.

What hurt the most is that he probably would go on with his life as normal and not even have a second thought about our kiss. He was obviously too busy with ‘sweetheart’. Plus, he wanted me to be happy with Matt.

Could I be happy with Matt? Could I forget about this ridiculous kiss? Could I focus my feelings elsewhere and get over JC? Could I even look at him the same way?

Ultimately, I just wanted everything to work out how it was suppose to. Yet, how was everything suppose to turn out? That was the darn question that I needed answered.

I finally buckled up and turned my car on. I pulled away from his house and I turned on the radio. I needed music to calm me down and settled onto a contemporary station that featured a lot of indie artists. I heard the intro of a song come on and ironically enough the song fit what I was feeling. The lyrics pierced through my heart, as well as the sounds of guitar.

Hey
What did you think I'd say
You're everything that I ever wanted
And this kind of thing doesn't just come around
Every time you go looking for it


I don't wanna be just friends
No
I'll never fake it or pretend
And I don't want another girl 'cause you're the only one I love


I don't wanna be just friends
That's something I can't understand
I don't wanna be just friends
Not now
No
Not ever
Those two words are bullets in my chest
Just friends


Hey
What did you think I'd do
It felt so good waking up beside you
And the way you kiss
So delicate
Doesn't come around and I'm always gonna miss it
I don't wanna be just friends

No
I'll never fake it or pretend
And I don't want another girl 'cause you're the only one I love

I don't wanna be just friends
That's something I can't understand
I don't wanna be just friends
Not now
No
Not ever
Those two words are bullets in my chest
Just friends

Those two words are bullets in my chest
And it's never gonna be the same again my love
It's never gonna be the same again

Be just friends
Just friends
Just friends


Don't wanna be just friends
Just friends
Just friends

Don't wanna be just friends
(No)
(Don't wanna be the same again)
Just friends
Just friends


I don't wanna be just friends
Ooh
Ooh

I don't wanna be just friends
Nah
Nah


I don't wanna be just friends
Nah
Nah

Those two words are bullets in my chest
Just friends


Bullets in my chest
Bullets in my chest
Just friends


The song ended and I had tears rolling down my cheeks. I truly felt like a bullet had gone through my chest.


End Notes:
The song featured at the end is "Just Friends" by Jason Reeves. I highly recommend listening to it. :)
Chapter 10 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
It's a short one...but expect another update later tonight/tomorrow morning! ;)

 

I walked into work on Monday, ready for another busy week. I was actually looking forward to focusing my attention elsewhere and not dwelling over the drunken kiss JC had given me, like I had all weekend. He probably didn’t remember it and even if he did, he was too busy enjoying someone else’s company apparently. All I really wanted was our friendship to still be intact, even if I had shed tears and felt a hole in my heart over the whole situation. I knew it was silly of me though to think that I could actually be the one for him, so I was just going to try my best to put feelings aside.

I hadn’t heard from JC since and I just hoped it wouldn’t be awkward when he did contact me. Sometimes he could be hard to read and sometimes oblivious to the reality of what was really going on. I told myself that I was going to have to hold it together when I heard from him next.

On the other hand, I had heard from Matthew on Saturday night, asking me if we could grab coffee soon. I told him that Monday worked, so I was scheduled to meet him at Starbucks tonight. I wondered how this second date would turn out, but I was trying to be optimistic. I didn’t want to rule anything out just yet between him and I.

I stepped into my office with some orange juice and a muffin and took a seat at my desk, ready to begin my day and work week for that matter. I knew I had to get my mind off of men, two in particular, and focus on what had to be done. I turned my computer on and then signed onto my email once it was fully loaded. I nibbled at my muffin as I read over some emails regarding fittings and events that needed my attention. I also washed down the muffin with the orange juice, feeling a little more awake and alert.

“Good morning, Everly.” I heard from the doorway and looked up to see Nathaniel.

I set my juice down and smiled. “Morning, Nathaniel.”

“So, I didn’t hear anything over the weekend. How did your date with Matthew go?” I could see that he was bursting at the seams for information.

“It went well. He surprised me with a performance of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” at the studio beforehand. We had a nice dinner and took a little stroll.” He smiled.

“Yeah, that’s all nice and dandy, but did he kiss you?” I chuckled then, loving how he wanted no nonsense and just wanted the dirt.

“Uh…well….yes.” I nodded my head. “He did kiss me. It was short and sweet, but not bad at all.”

“You go girl!” Nathaniel grinned widely and fist pumped into the air.

I shook my head. “I do what I can. In fact, we’re meeting at Starbucks tonight for our second date.”

“You lucky duck. I hope things keep going in the right direction.”

“Thanks. I’m just going to go with the flow and see what happens.” Nathaniel nodded his head.

“That’s all you can do, honey. I wouldn’t do anything too drastic just yet. You don’t want to lose your chance with Matthew Morrison because you jumped the gun.”

I chuckled. “Says the man who wanted to sleep with Pierre for some clothes.”

“We haven’t slept together yet and we haven’t even scheduled another date yet. So don’t be making me into a manwhore just yet.”

“Okay..okay.” I tore another piece off of my muffin and popped it into my mouth.

Nathaniel took a seat at my desk then and I looked at him curiously. I sensed he had more to talk about and waited for him to speak.

“Lucy told me that you spoke with Randy Jackson on Friday. What was that about?” It dawned on me then that I hadn’t told my friend about the prospective position.

“Oh…well the thing is that they’re going to hire a new wardrobe stylist for ABDC this season and JC had mentioned my name. So Randy came over here to meet me and take a look at a my resume.”

I watched at Nathaniel’s jaw dropped and his eyes went wide. He didn’t say anything for a moment and then squealed.

“Oh my god, Everly! That’s so amazing. You’re such a lucky bia these days.” I shook my head.

“I don’t have the job yet. I’m still waiting to hear back.” I watched him roll his eyes.

“Puh-lease. They’d be idiots not to hire you. I feel like your life has done a 180 in a very short amount of time.”

“Thanks and you’re right. A lot has happened recently between getting back into the dating game and possibly scoring a career changing position.” He nodded his head.

“Mmhmm and I’d like for some of your luck to rub off on me.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“It’s not like I really did anything. JC made it all possible.” Once the words left my mouth, I realized they were true. Without JC, I wouldn’t have had either opportunity.

Nathaniel grinned. “Oh yeah, that is pretty much true. Maybe you need to set up a time for me to see him again so he can give me good luck too.”

I laughed. “Mmhmm.”

“That man is delicious. I wish I could get him to come out of the closet.” A twinkle lit up in Nathaniel’s eyes.

I laughed again. “Don’t think that’s happening. I’m like 95% sure he’s seeing someone. He had a late night female visitor on Friday.”

“Ohhhh…and how do you know? Do tell.” I silently cursed to myself then, realizing I shouldn’t have said anything.

“Well….I saw JC after my date with Matt. He texted me by mistake and I went over to his house thinking he needed me. Turns out he meant to text the mystery girl who came to visit him right as I was leaving his place.”

Nathaniel rubbed his hands together and listened attentively, looking enthralled over this ‘juicy gossip’ I was sharing. He had a tendency to be interested in other people’s lives, especially celebrities’ love lives.

“I can’t believe he texted you by mistake. Was he drunk?” I gasped a little, impressed at my friend’s ability to guess.

“Tipsy from some red wine.” I heard laughter escape Nathaniel’s lips then.

“Classic. So what happened while you hung out at his place?” I didn’t want to divulge the kiss, but I knew if I could confide in anyone about it, he was the one I could tell.

“JC was in his own little happy place and asked me to cuddle with him in is bed. Somehow things got a little strange and he kissed me.”

Nathaniel gasped then. “No way!”

“Yes way.” I said softly.

“You lucky bia! You got kisses from Matthew Morrison and JC Chasez in the same day.”

“Well yeah, but…its not like it meant anything to JC. He probably doesn’t even remember it.”

“Did he initiate it?” I nodded my head.

“So he wanted to kiss you.”

“Not necessarily. He just wanted to taste my cherry lip gloss, plus he was tipsy.” Nathaniel’s face dropped.

“Oh…then maybe it didn’t mean anything. He probably wouldn’t set you up with Matt, if he was interested in you himself.”

“I know and like I said he’s got to be seeing someone else. It was just a fluke of a kiss.”

“Well….were his lips soft and luscious? Perfect against yours?” I sighed, knowing very well that it had been an amazing to feel JC’s lips upon my own.

“Yes. I think he has the best set of lips I’ve ever kissed.” Nathaniel sported a dreamy look on his face then.

“Mmmm…I can only imagine.” I chuckled.

“You’re something else.” He then grinned at me.

“You know it. So….you keep me updated on the boy front. I’m pretty intrigued by your whole Matt and JC love triangle.”

“It’s not really a love triangle.”

“But it could turn into one.” Nathaniel winked and then he stood up, pushing the chair in.

I shook my head. “Getting back to work?”

“Yeah. I have Kristen Stewart arriving at any moment for a dress. I have to figure out how she’s going to get me hooked up with Robert Pattinson.”

“Yeah…yeah.” I chuckled and then waved him out of my office.


When lunchtime rolled around, I was happy to take a breather. I had fit two clients into outfits, as well as put together a look for a client coming in after lunch. I hadn’t received any phone calls or texts yet and I didn’t mind not having the distractions. It was nice to not be bothered or stuck on the phone, while trying to finish tasks. I was curious though if Randy Jackson had made up his mind yet and was hopeful I’d receive a call soon.

I ate at my desk, having another homemade peanut butter and jelly sandwich, along with Sun-Chips. I munched away on my food as I decided to play around on Youtube and find some entertaining videos. I could always use a laugh during my lunch break.

It was after I watched a couple comedic videos, that I heard my phone alert me of a text message. I reached for it and flipped it open. I spied JC’s name and opened the message.

Hey Everly. Randy’s announcing the new stylist today. Let me know if you hear anything.

I was happy to find out that the deicision would be made and I wouldn’t be worrying about it for much longer. I also sensed JC’s support still and I knew even if we were ‘just friends’ that I couldn’t hold anything against him. I decided to text him back.

Hi JC. I’ll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

I set my phone down and a moment later, another text was received.

Did I kiss you on Friday night?

I froze, almost wanting to lie to him, but I had to be honest. His memory needed to be refreshed with the truth.

Yes, you did. You had a lot of wine though.

Another moment passed and another response came.

Okay. Sorry. I vaguely recalled it happening, but wasn’t sure. I didn’t mean for it to happen. Sorry, if I made you uncomfortable.

With him apologizing about the kiss, I knew I’d been right all along. He had had a tipsy moment of want and neediness, that was just that. Nothing more.

Don’t worry about it. Things happen.

Even though it had been a big deal to me, I found myself just wanting to sugar coat it for him. I cared about him enough to not make him worry or put guilt on himself.

Thanks for being understanding. I hear you and Matt have a date tonight. Hope it goes well, honey.

All I could do was send a one word reply.

Thanks.

I really was looking forward to my date with Matt, but at the same time this texting session with JC was getting to me a little.

Welcome. Have fun and call me when you hear from Randy.

I nodded my head at nobody and assured him I would.

Don’t worry, Chasez. You’ll hear from me.

He then sent me a smiley face.

:)


I couldn’t help, but to smile then and let out a soft sigh. He could be cute without trying to be. I honestly adored him, even if what I wanted and what he wanted were two different things.

I’ll ttyl. Have a good day, JC.

He responded seconds later.

You too, honey. Later gator.

I put my phone away then and finished off the rest of my lunch. If only life were as simple as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Then we’d all have our soul mates without any fuss.


It was almost the end of the work day, when I found myself putting away clothes and hanging them back up neatly on hangers. I had finished my afternoon appointments and was ready to get home to change for my date with Matthew. I just had a few more things to hang up when my phone began to ring. I reached for it and saw an unfamiliar number on my caller id. Yet, I answered it anyways.

“Hello?” I answered and then heard the deep rumble of Randy Jackson’s voice on the other line.

“Everly, darling. It’s Randy. I’m calling you because we made a decision on the stylist position.”

“Hi, Mr. Jackson. I’m happy to hear from you.”

“Well I’m happy you picked up. ‘Cause guess what?” My heart raced a little then, realizing that this was the moment he’d announce whether I got the position or not.

“What?”

“You got the job, girl!” He screamed into the phone, sounding thrilled with the decision.

I couldn’t believe it and I almost dropped my phone, but just managed to hold onto it. I wasn’t sure that I’d get the job and I wasn’t sure about working with JC after all that had unfolded, but ultimately I had wanted it and now I could prove myself as a stylist. Now I had the platform that I needed and deep down I still wanted to see JC each week.

“Wow..thank you. Thank you so much. I’m honored to become apart of the ABDC crew now.”

Randy laughed. “You’re gonna kill it, girl. Out of everyone, I just got the best vibe from you and your resume, along with JC’s recommendation sent you over the top.”

I smiled, glad that someone saw something in me and that I being given the opportunity.

“That means a lot. Thank you, once again.” I heard noise in the background then, as if Randy was surrounded by other people.

“I’ve got to get going, Everly, but I’ll email you a bunch of stuff that you need, along with a schedule. We’ll be seeing each other real soon.”

“Alright, sounds great. Have a wonderful day.”

“You too.” I heard Randy say and then the line went dead.

I closed my phone and then let the news truly sink in. I was now the wardrobe stylist for ABDC. I never saw it coming, but was happy it was happening. Stylists dreamt of new avenues to show off their eye for fashion and now I had something special right in front of me.

I smiled, hanging up the last garment and then storing the rack of clothes away. I felt like I was walking on clouds and hoped nothing would ruin the rest of my day.


After I got home, I changed into a simple sweater and jeans for my date. I also applied more cherry lip gloss to my lips. I couldn’t rule out the possibility of sharing another kiss with Matthew, if things at Starbucks went as well as they did at Ketchup.

I felt almost confused, as I looked at myself in the mirror. I was trying to impress Matthew and he had impressed me. I felt a good vibe from him and I knew a connection was forming between us. On the other hand, I wasn’t sure if I could give my heart completely to him, with feelings for JC still strong in my heart. Yet, I knew I couldn’t make JC love me, if he didn’t want to. I knew I couldn’t snap my fingers and make it a perfect world. I had to get over any hopes that I had and I had to put my past behind me as well. I felt like my own worst enemy. I just needed to let life take its course and grab whatever happiness I could find.

I decided to call JC, seeing as I’d promised him I would. I waited for his smooth voice to pick up on the other line and smiled a little when it did.

“Hey, Ev. You got good news?” He asked with his voice laced with hope.

“In fact, I do. Randy called me just before I left work and he offered me the position.”

“That’s awesome! I’m so happy for you.” I smiled then, glad that JC was so thrilled for me.

“Thanks. I can’t wait. It’s going to be fun.” He laughed.

“You bet it will be. It’s always a blast backstage. Plus I know you’ll keep us all looking good.”

“I’ll try my best.”

“You don’t even have to try. You just will, honey.” I always felt good with the confidence that JC had in me and he inspired me to try harder and do my best. I just couldn’t imagine my life without him.

“Just thanks once again. Without you, I wouldn’t be coming apart of the ABDC family.”

“You earned it.” He assured me. “Never mind me.”

I looked at the clock in my bedroom then and realized I needed to leave shortly for Starbucks. Matt would be meeting me there soon.

“Well never mind you then.” He chuckled.

“Good. So….I was thinking I might come into Divine Threads this week to find another suit.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah…I’ve got another industry party to attend.”

“Well, I’ve always got time for you. Just come in, when you want.” He laughed.

“I knew you always had time for me. I’ll have to stop calling Lucy to book a time and just show up.”

“Whatever, Chasez.” I sighed. “I’ve actually got to go now.”

“Matt time, huh?”

“Yeah..”

“Okay, then I’ll let you go. I’ve got stuff to do too. Have a good night.”

“You too.” I said and then hung up.

I headed out of my apartment a moment later then, feeling happy and looking forward to seeing Mr. Morrison. A new position and a possible new love. Nathaniel was right about things looking up in my life. I just hoped that it wouldn’t all come crashing down on me and end up being too good to be true. I wasn’t sure what was to come and still had a fragile heart. Then there was the possibility of seeing JC again in the flesh this week and my heart skipped a beat. Damn him. My heart was messed up and my head knew better, but my heart wouldn’t have any of it…just yet.

End Notes:
Thank you to all who have been reviewing. :)
Chapter 11 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
This is where it gets interesting folks....

 

When I walked into the Starbucks, we’d agreed to meet at, I was relieved to see that Matthew was already there. I was glad that I wouldn’t have to wait for him and that he wasn’t standing me up. He was seated at the back of the coffee shop at a table for two, already with a drink in hand.

From afar, he looked really good and his hair seemed less curly and little more straight. Which I approved of. He also had on some casual jeans and a plaid button up shirt with a collar. His outfit actually reminded me of JC, seeing as I ‘d seen him wear his fair share of jeans and plaid shirts as well. I shook my head at the thought, telling myself that I was on a date with Matt and that he was the focus. I plastered a smile onto my face and approached Matt with a warm greeting.

“Hey, Matthew. How are you?” I asked, as I touched his shoulder gently and he turned, looking at me with a genuine smile.

“Everly. Hey, lovely lady. I’m great. Yourself?” I pulled out the chair across from him and promptly sat down, as my eyes looked into his.

“Not so bad. I actually got some wonderful news today.” He seemed eager for me to elaborate, as his smile remained on his face.

“Tell me more.” It was actually sweet that he was interested in what I had to say.

“Well I don’t know if JC ever told you, but the position of wardrobe stylist on ABDC opened up and with the new season coming soon, Randy Jackson wanted to find someone quickly. Well, he briefly interviewed me and looked at my resume and well….I got the job!”

I heard clapping then and a cheer escaped Matthew’s lips. “Hey, that’s awesome. Congratulations! I’m sure that’s really going to be a valuable experience for you.”

“Thank you.” I grinned. “…And you’re right. It will be. It can only help my career even more.”

“Plus you’ll get to work with JC and we both know how chill and amazing he is. Nothing beats working with a friend.” I nodded my head and kept my smile from faltering at Matt’s mention of JC.

“Yes, he is pretty great.” I added softly and then I felt a kiss to my cheek, as Matt leaned over and gave my skin a soft peck.

I looked at Matthew and he smiled warmly at me. “What kind of drink can I order you, sweetheart? I don’t want to sit here any longer without you having a drink. That’d be bad manners.”

I touched my cheek, just where he’d left the kiss and pondered my drink choice for a second. It was sweet of him to ask and offer to get in line again to order my drink.

“I think a grande vanilla latte will do. Thank you.” He nodded his head and I watched him step back over toward the counter.

It was refreshing to be on a date with someone who had manners and wasn’t afraid to take the lead. I knew it wasn’t the easiest to find real gentlemen in Hollywood, but I also knew that Matthew had lived in New York, as well as California. Plus there was the summer he spent in Arizona with his grandmother, which set him on his current career path. I chalked it up to him being raised properly and not being a full-blooded Hollywood boy.

I watched as he pulled his wallet out and paid for my latte, thanking the cashier as she handed him change in return. He also shared a joke, as I heard his jovial laughter escape his body. There really was something special about Matthew and I knew I shouldn’t count him out just yet. I couldn’t wait it out for someone else to come along, if no one else was going to come along.

“Here you go, beautiful.” Matthew said a moment later, returning with my freshly made vanilla latte.

I graciously accepted it from him. “Thank you, sir. You didn’t have to pay.”

“Don’t even say that.” He shook his head. “I’m a good date.”

I chuckled softly. “True. Cheers to that.”

I lifted my drink up to his, after he sat down again and tapped our paper cups together. I then sipped some of the caffeinated concoction, enjoying it as it went down.

“So besides the good news you received, what else happened today?” I set my drink down and looked at Matthew leaning against the table with his arms crossed upon it. He looked relaxed and interested in listening to me speak.

I shrugged my shoulders. “Not much, honestly. I took care of some clients, had lunch, got the good news, and spoke to JC about the getting the job. Then I went home and changed and came over here for our date.”

He nodded his head. “Sounds productive, but I’m glad you could make time and meet me here.”

“Me too.” I smiled. “What did you do today?”

“I had rehearsals for Glee, since we’re taping a bunch of episodes next week and then I had a studio session with Gwyneth Paltrow. She’s going to sing “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” as a duet with me for the album.”

“That’s real cool. I’ve loved seeing her on Glee. She’s so good as Holly Holliday.”

“Yeah…yeah.. She is.” He nodded. “It’s just nice to have a lot of people helping me on my first album.”

“I bet it is, but you really are talented. People would be crazy to turn you down.” I assured him and then watched as his cheeks became a slight pinkish tint. It was cute to see him blush and I liked that he was so humble.

“Thank you.” He said softly, before picking up his drink and swallowing some of it down.

“Just the truth.” I added and then watched as the front door of the coffee shop swung open and two people stepped in. I noticed a woman slightly shorter than me, with blonde curly locks and bright blue eyes. Right behind her was a man on the tall side with dirty blonde hair and when he turned around, I gasped. Getting a better and full view of him, I was met with chocolate brown eyes that I’d stared into many times over. It was him. It was Trevor. It was Trevor with his new tramp. Well she wasn’t new anymore, but still. She was the tramp. The other stylist he’d fallen for. The one who apparently made his life ‘better’.

Apparently my reaction wasn’t missed by Matt and he looked at me concerned. “What? What’s wrong?”

“My…my ex just walked in.” I watched as Trevor and Monica, (Yes, that was her name. I had found it out awhile ago and just now felt like remembering ) walked closer to us, on their way to the counter to order.

Matthew looked and he caught sight of them. “Oh? The dirty blonde and the platinum blonde?”

I nodded my head. “Yeah, it’s quite the story.”

“I’m sorry.” He said with sympathy written all over his face. “Did it end bad?”

I nodded again. “Yeah, he was dating me first and somewhere along the way began dating her. So he was dating us at the same time and I wasn’t aware of it for quite awhile. He was actually going to propose to me and all, but then it all unraveled and he decided to stay with her instead. I’m pretty sure Monica is just his sex toy and money provider. He could love her, who knows, but it certainly isn’t a relationship that blossomed out of love.”

“Wow….” Matthew’s shoulders dropped and I could tell he felt sorry about the whole thing. “That’s a lot to take in. I can’t believe he two-timed you.”

“Me neither, but I was naïve, I guess.” I sighed. “Trevor was going to become a lawyer and he told me so many things I wanted to hear, but then things went sour with his family and money became an issue. He lost his way and decided to turn into something else…someone else. Now he’s all about superficial stuff and taking advantage of people and situations to get ahead. At least that’s how he was when things ended between us.”

Matthew reached for my hand then and he took my smaller one into his. It was a sweet, gentle gesture and he squeezed my hand.

“That’s horrible and it’s unfortunate that he was a jerk who couldn’t see what he had in front of him all along. I’m sorry he played you and hurt you, but..I’m not sorry that he didn’t marry you. His stupidity and blindness is my gain and I’m lucky to be here with you.”

His words were genuine and laced with real emotion and they meant a lot to me. It had been awhile since a guy had actually cared and showed that he was interested in me. It was nice to see that I had a man sitting in front of me and holding my hand, that could possibly hold my heart too. It had been far too long.

“You’re sweet. Thank you. That means a lot.” I smiled and I gave his hand a squeeze in return. Then I caught sight of Trevor and Monica grabbing their drinks from the barista. The two of them didn’t seem to notice me yet, but I was cautiously optimistic they wouldn’t.

“So what does platinum blonde do? Or do you not know?” I chuckled.

“Oh..I know. She’s a stylist too. I found out she works at a Blu PR firm, which is across town, from where I at work at Divine Threads. So there’s enough distance between us, but don’t tell me it’s just an odd coincidence we’re both stylists.”

Matthew chuckled. “I wasn’t going to.”

“Good. It’s just that Trevor’s looking to make money and get control of someone’s business and Monica’s family pretty much heads up Blu PR.”

“Ahhh…got you.” Matt said, piecing my words together to form the bigger picture. “So he chose her over you for monetary reasons and power.”

“Something like that.” I smirked. “Still doesn’t sit right with me.”

“I wouldn’t imagine it would, but I’m sure it’s been awhile and you’ve learned from it.”

I nodded. “Yeah, like three years and I’ve learned I’m going to be 100% sure I’m in love and with the right man before I give my heart again. I’m not going to become engaged or married to a guy unless I know for sure he can hold my heart and truly wants to protect it.”

“That sure is plenty of time to have become wiser and I promise you, that if I’m the guy who gets to hold your heart that I’ll protect it better than your ex ever could.”

I smiled and squeezed his hand again. “Thank you…just thank you.”

“Well look at who we have here!” Trevor’s voice interrupted and he stepped right up to our table. “Everly…and her new pansy ass boyfriend, huh?”

I cringed and then I watched as Matthew became uncomfortable.

“He looks like he just came out of the beauty salon. Where did you pick him up? From a gay bar?” Trevor asked, cackling like a hyena.

I didn’t want to even answer to this monster of a man. This moment right here was actually proving to me how much better off I was without him and happy that things ended between us. I was almost surprised I ever fell for this asshole. Looking at his features, he didn’t have the dark, brown hair that I had come to love on men, nor the dreamy blue eyes that both Matthew and JC had. He wasn’t a fairytale prince and he didn’t know how to respect people. The way he was acting right now set my mind at ease. I no longer needed to think about the what ifs….only the future that was in store for me without him.

“Shut up, Trevor!” I cried out. “He’s more of a man than you’ll ever be.”

“Don’t talk about my man like that.” Monica appeared and hissed at me like a cat.

“Tell him not to insult this wonderful man that’s in my company.” I dared her. She didn’t say anything, but Trevor did.

“By wonderful you mean….faking it that he loves you and you’re good in bed.”

My eyes widened then and he had taken it to a whole new level. “Fuck you! You know all about faking your love you piece of shit. Matthew would never stoop to your level.”

“Matthew? I thought this was JC.” I shook my head and then heard Monica giggle.

“Trevie, honey…she must be a desperate player.” I heard Matthew speak up, ready to join this war of words. Bless his heart.

“I am Matthew Morrison. Not to be confused with anyone else. Now I know exactly what you did to Everly and I’d appreciate it if you’d walk away from our table and leave us alone.”

“What a homo! Who says stuff like that? Can’t take it outside to the parking lot with me?”

Matthew rubbed his hands together then and gave Trevor a good stare down. “You’re only a half a man and I’d hate to hurt you enough that you’d become only a quarter of a man. Plus I’m a lover, not a fighter. So I’m not going anywhere with you.”

Monica tugged on Trevor’s arm. “Come on honey, stop wasting your time with these two. I just want to enjoy my mocha with you and maybe even more.”

I shook my head, just disgusted by this whole scene and not appreciating this low point on our date. I had never imagined Trevor and the woman he’d chosen over me to show up at Starbucks tonight. It had been long time since I’d even seen him in the flesh.

“You’re just scared I’ll break your pretty face.” I watched Matthew keep his cool, not letting Trevor’s words get to him.

“You can call me gay, you can make fun of me, and be an ass. I can handle all that trash, but I treat Everly the way she deserves to be treated. I give her everything you didn’t, man. So I would appreciate it if you don’t harass her and stay away from her from now on.” I watched as Trevor rolled his eyes then at Matthew’s words, but they seemed to do the trick.

“Whatever, man. I don’t have time for you. Hope you’re happy with her.” Trevor then wrapped his arm around Monica. “Come on honey, let’s leave these pansies alone.”

Matthew and I both watched as Trevor and Monica left Starbucks with their drinks in hand. It was a relief when the door closed behind them and they were gone.

“I am so sorry. So sorry.” I immediately told Matt, knowing he’d taken the brunt of Trevor’s comments. “I’d never seen him be such an ass like that.”

Matthew sighed deeply and then took my head, squeezing it. “Don’t worry about it. It wasn’t your fault. He’s probably just realizing what a mistake he made and is jealous that you are out enjoying life again..without him.”

I nodded. “That’s one way of looking at it. I’m still sorry though.”

“Don’t be. You had no control over him.” He brought my hand up to his lips and then pressed a small kiss to it. “I’m just happy that he didn’t attack you.”

“You were great.” I admitted and smiled at him. “Thanks for being a real man.”

He chuckled. “No problem. It’s what I am…a real man.”

I leaned across the table then and I pressed a kiss to Matthew’s cheek. Then I gently caressed it. We smiled at each other then, our eyes focused on one another, getting lost.

“Thank you. Just thank you so much.” I said softly and it was then that he leaned in and we shared our second kiss. This time though it wasn’t as soft and gentle, nor as short. This time Matt’s lips found mine with a little more need and the pressure he applied was a little more rough. He savored my lips, as I savored his as well, and the seconds seemed to pass by. I allowed him to end the kiss when he pleased and it seemed like a whole minute passed by before he gulped for air and pulled apart from me. I gulped as well, thankful for new breath, and wondered how much longer we could’ve kissed if breathing wasn’t necessary.

I shook my head and then looked at him, with what I was sure were dreamy eyes. “ That…was nice.”

“Even better than the first time.” He winked.

“I’ll concur.” I reached for my latte then, realizing it was probably a lot cooler by now. Which was okay with me after a heated moment. I drank more of the latte and then licked my lips.

“You know how your ex called me your pansy ass boyfriend?” I nodded then, with laughter escaping my lips.

“Well….” Matthew bit on his bottom lip, as if he were unsure about his next words. It was actually kind of cute. “…do you think I could be your boyfriend, without the pansy ass part?”

I couldn’t help, but to laugh then. “You’re not a pansy ass. Don’t worry about that. Okay?”

“What about boyfriend?” I bit down on my lip then and I sighed. In just two dates, I felt something exciting and real happening with Matt, but it had been only two dates. I didn’t want to jump the gun and wasn’t ready to make an official commitment just yet. I knew that could come later after a few more dates.

“Matt…I think you’re a wonderful guy and I’m enjoying being around you. You’ve really been amazing and I’m looking forward to spending more time with you. It’s just….I don’t want to rush anything. I think we can get to know each other even more and share more dates before putting a label on us.” He nodded his head, looking as if he totally understood.

“No…no, you’re right. We don’t have to rush anything and we probably shouldn’t. I appreciate your honesty and I really am just happy that we’re forming a connection and that there’s a possibility for an ‘us’ down the road.”

I smiled, feeling at peace then. I felt all my old feelings for Trevor fade away and new feelings for Matt fill my heart instead.


After talking a little while longer and finishing the last drop of our respective drinks, Matthew and I finally left Starbucks. I was surprised we stayed there as long as we did, but it was nothing to be ashamed of. We’d had a wonderful time, minus the minor altercation with Trevor. He walked me to my car, being a gentleman once again. Then before I slipped inside, Matthew grabbed my face and pressed a slow, sensual kiss to my lips.

“I couldn’t help it.” He murmured softly, licking his lips. I knew he tasted a combination of cherry lip gloss and vanilla latte.

“It’s fine…I didn’t mind.” I smiled and pecked his lips.

“Well, what are you doing now? Going home?” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, unless you have an issue with that.” He shook his head.

“No, but the night doesn’t have to end if you don’t want it to.” I saw a hopeful look in his eyes.

“Oh yeah? Well….what would you suggest we do?” He reached out and pushed a stray piece of hair off of my forehead.

“I could come back to your place or you could come to mine….” I sighed softly and quickly made a decision. I didn’t want to over think it.

“Mmm…come over to mine.” I watched him smile then, satisfied with my answer.

“Sounds good to me, Everly.” I fished a piece of paper out of my purse, as well as a pen. I jotted down my address and apartment number.

“Here’s where you can find me.” I winked. “See you there shortly?”

“Yes.” He smirked. “See you there shortly.”

I then stepped away from him and slid into my car. I shut the door and buckled up, watching as Matthew hopped into his own car. Things were getting more and more interesting each moment and I kept moving forward. There was no looking back.


When I arrived at my apartment, I quickly made sure everything was in order and there wasn’t anything out on display that I didn’t want Matt to see. I laughed at myself, realizing it had been forever since I’d brought a prospective suitor home and the teenage girl in me was coming to the surface. I just didn’t want to be a nervous fool. Though it was exciting to know someone was interested in me again.

When I heard Matt arrive, I opened my door and let him in. He gave a hug, acting like he hadn’t seen me just minutes ago. It was very sweet, not to mention his warmth was welcoming. I ushered him in and closed the door behind him after our hug. He stepped inside and took in my apartment for all it was worth.

“This is a nice, little place. It’s decorated so beautifully. I’m not surprised though.” He commented and then helped himself to the couch. He sat down and got comfortable.

“Need another drink or anything?” I asked, not wanting to be an impolite hostess.

He shook his head. “I’m good. Just come join me.”

I did as he asked and took a seat beside him on my couch. Then I handed him the remote for the television. “You can turn it on. Any channel you please.”

“Thanks.” He said and a second later the television came to life and he was channel surfing. “So, you live alone, right? No crazy roommate going to pop out?”

I laughed and shook my head. “Nah..nah. You’re safe here. It’s just me. My sister lived here with me for a few months a long time ago, but that’s all in the past.”

He nodded his head. “Cool. It is pretty nice when you’ve got your own space and no one to worry about.”

“I’ll agree on that.” I smiled and watched as he stopped channel surfing and settled on a cooking show.

“Do you cook?” He asked, eyeing the chef on the screen as she mixed a bunch of ingredients together.

“Here and there.” I admitted. “Nothing too fancy, but I do enjoy it. I would probably cook more if I had someone to cook for.”

“That’s cool. Maybe you could cook me dinner sometime then?” I chuckled.

“We’ll see..we’ll see.” He chuckled then.

“Is what you cook edible?” I tossed him a look.

“Of course it is. I’m not that bad.” He seemed pleased to find out I could cook and not kill anyone with my culinary creations.

“Then I really think you should cook for me and not just ponder it. Maybe in a few weeks, after a few more dates?”

“We’ll see.…” He laughed and I found myself laughing as well, realizing I’d said it again.

“You can be a little sass when you want to be.” I shrugged.

“Sometimes.” He smiled.

“It’s okay. I kind of like it.” I smiled then and ruffled his hair gently. I was happy to feel how soft and fluffy it was and the lack of hair product in it tonight.

“Well good. What you see is what you get, Mr. Morrison.” He reached for my hand and stopped me from messing up his hair anymore.

“And I like what I see, Miss Monroe.” He brought my hand around to his lips and then kissed the top of it.

I really wasn’t sure how I ended up in my apartment with Matthew Morrison on my couch, admitting that he liked me and being affectionate with me. It was something I never saw coming, but life had it’s way of surprising you and friends had their way of butting in and setting you up with people.

“I’m glad you like what you see. I like what I see too, Matt.” I pecked his cheek and then I heard the phone in my apartment ring. I wasn’t sure who it could be, so I decided I had to answer it.

“Excuse me for a second.” I slid off the couch and made my way to the cordless phone sitting on my kitchen counter. I picked up the phone, greeting the person on the other line.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Everly. You’re home. I wasn’t sure if you were out still.” I smiled, hearing Nathaniel’s voice.

“Uhh yeah, Matthew and I came back to my apartment. We had a good, but rather interesting time at Starbucks and didn’t want to end the night just yet.”

“Look at you go, girl. Get you some lovin’!” He cheered into the phone, as I laughed.

“It’s not like that…yet. Just some simple touches and kisses.”

“It can only get steamier, Everly.” I imagined him rolling his eyes in classic Nathaniel dramatics.

“Mmhmm…anyways. The reason for your call is?” Nathaniel sighed deeply then and I hoped it wasn’t anything bad. I didn’t feel like having to come to his rescue right this moment.

“Well you see…” He sighed again. “I ended up going over to Pierre’s a short while ago. He was leaving for a business trip and wanted to have me over for a quick drink before he caught a late flight….”

“Mmhmm….” I continued listening, wondering where this was going. “That’s cool.”

“And somehow I mentioned to him that you were a stylist as well and that you’d just gotten hired as the new ABDC wardrobe stylist. So he went on to tell me how fuckable he thought JC was and how he’d pay to jump his bones if he had to.”

I laughed then, but I couldn’t blame Pierre. JC appealed to men and women alike and many of them had naughty thoughts about him, myself included. There was no denying the desire that JC caused within people. He was just a hot, hot man that oozed sex appeal.

“And….” I prompted for Nathaniel to continue.”

“And, so Pierre decided to log onto his computer one more time before shutting it off. I watched him log onto a JC fan site, wanting to lust over some pictures.” I held back a giggle that wanted to escape.

“So I listened to him say something about how sexy JC looks when he’s going to the gym and then he loaded a photo album and started cursing.”

“Ummm…okay.”

“Everly….”

“Yeah?”

“The new photos were of JC with a girl.” I knew there had to be more to it then that. JC had been pictured with so many girls and it wasn’t an out of the ordinary thing.

“Elaborate, please.”

“It looks like they took a romantic hike or something. They’re both casually dressed and got gym shoes on. They’re both affectionate in the photos and there’s some kissing involved. He’s even got his hand on her ass in the one photo.”

I froze then and put it all together. The signs of JC possibly being involved with someone had been adding up, but this was the final punch. It solidified what Lila and myself thought, as well as what JC admitted. This girl who was pictured with him had to be why he’d been happy lately and having a late night visitor. It was a lot to take in, as it had been forever since I’d actually seen or heard about JC kissing a girl. My heart that had just become filled with new hope and feelings due to Matthew, was now feeling unsettled and beginning to ache.

“Everly, you still there?” I took a deep breath.

“Yeah, sorry. So where can I find these pictures?” He gave me the site address and I thanked him for sharing it with me and for calling me. I then hung up the phone, not feeling as well as when I first picked it up. I almost felt like a zombie retreating back to my living room, where Matt sat on the couch still watching the television.

“Everything okay?” He asked, turning to look at me.

“Actually, do you mind if I quick check something on my computer? That was my friend Nathaniel and he emailed me something about work. It’ll just take a moment.” I fibbed, not wanting the truth to come out and not being able to wait for Matt to leave.

“No, go right ahead, sweetheart. I’ll stay put right here.” I smiled and then walked into my bedroom and fired up my laptop. I waited for it to load and once it did, I typed the site address into the address bar. Sure enough a site dedicated to JC popped up and I found the gallery of photos.

I scanned the photos and my eyes landed on an album that looked to be the one Nathaniel described to me. I clicked on a link and the entire album popped up. The more I looked the more I felt my heart begin to ache and I felt silly for the tears that started to sting at the back of my eyes. I felt like a stupid teeny bopper again, crushed that her pop idol was hooking up with a girl and kissing her. Sure enough, there were pictures of them kissing and one with him touching her ass. It was too much to take in right now and I couldn’t handle it. I felt my bedroom closing in on me and I felt so guilty for even feeling like this with Matthew in the other room.

I quickly set my laptop onto my nightstand and then decided I needed some alone time. I couldn’t pretend to be all romantic and flirty with one guy, while having a rush of feelings for another guy flood my heart. I had to send Matthew on his way, before I could actually handle the situation that now seemed to be a situation. I took a deep breath and made sure I didn’t look like I was going to cry. Then I plastered a smile on and rejoined Matt.

“Hey.” I said softly. “Thank you so much for coming over and making this another wonderful night, but….I actually need to get to bed early. I looked at Nathaniel’s email and he mentioned some early morning meeting tomorrow that all of the stylists have to attend.” Once again I fibbed, but knew it was for the best.

I watched Matthew’s smile turn into a frown, but then he smiled once again. “It’s okay. I understand. As much as I’d love to stay longer, you need your beauty sleep.”

He stood up from the couch and then stepped over to me. He pulled me into a warm embrace and then gave me a simple kiss upon the lips.

“Thank you for a good time, Everly. I’ll call you real soon.”

“Your welcome and I look forward to it.” I grinned and then slowly opened my apartment door.

Matthew kissed my cheek then, before stepping through the doorway and giving me a wave. “Goodnight, beautiful.”

I waved in return and then shut the door. I stood in place then, amazed that I just had a wonderful man leave my apartment, yet I was alone in my apartment now, stuck with feelings for another man that were going to haunt me all night. I almost wished that Nathaniel never called to tell me such photos existed. Though I knew…I was going to have to deal with it. I couldn’t hide from the evidence that was out there and I couldn’t numb my heart, as much as I wanted to. I had to suck it up and tell myself that it didn’t matter. I had to face the truth.

 

End Notes:
Dun..dun..dun
Chapter 12 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
The beginning is wordy, a lot of description...I just hope it makes sense and I did it justice. I just wanted the emotion/feeling conveyed properly, since this part is basically the inspiration for the story.

 

When *NSYNC first became popular in the USA, with the help of a certain Disney concert, I had originally been a Lance girl. There was just something about the southern gentleman with the deep voice and background moves. He didn’t have the solos or the best dance steps, yet he charmed my heart. I felt like he was the under dog and I had always had a soft spot for under dogs.


One could very well consider JC an under dog as well, which is probably one reason I quickly had a change in my allegiance.(Which was probably better in the long run with Lance eventually coming out of the closet.) I found myself eyeing JC more and swooning over his solos, which were a plenty, as well as feeling an attraction to him that was undeniable. There was just something special about JC from early on and all the way though the entirety of *NSYNC’s career. Even to this day there was something so special about him that I hadn’t lost the strong feelings I felt toward him. I was a fan through and through and my dedication never wavered. I was also an admirer who appreciated his physical and internal beauty. He became even more appealing when the group went on their separate ways for solo projects and he found his niche in the industry. He matured into an amazing man with incredible songwriting and producing skills. His musicianship was brilliant and he still remained passionate as ever about his craft. Though I was sad about all the albums that never were and all the concerts that were never performed. I was disappointed that he never got all the credit that was due to him and to this day still wished he could’ve had a career like his band mate, Justin Timberlake. I was outraged that Jive didn’t see the talent they had in JC and screwed him over. I was still pissed about the Pro Bowl cancellation and everything else that went wrong for JC. It was beyond me why someone as extraordinary as him, got jerked around so bad and didn’t receive everything he should’ve deserved and more.

Having become his friend in the past few years, I was still plagued by the horrible past and bad luck he’d had. I still wanted everything and more for him. I still hoped for his future to be bright and for him to truly be happy. I cared about him like he was family, loved him even more than some of my own family. I wanted him to have everything he desired and for everything to fall into place for him. I knew he enjoyed his life right now and that ABDC, along with his writing gigs, kept him busy and excited. Yet, I also knew he needed love and deserved it, even more so, with time passing by and his youth slowly fading away. He played the part of the bachelor so well and never talked seriously about marriage and kids. He was well on his way to being like George Clooney and never settling down for anyone. Always the bachelor with a pretty lady on his arm, taking romantic trips all over the world. I knew he had it in his heart though to love someone forever, but he’d also been hurt badly. His love life had been one crazy roller coaster and the biggest drop had been a painful break-up from an actress that had really bruised his ego and shattered his heart. He more than deserved for the pieces to be picked up and for a woman to love him for him. He wasn’t just a has-been popstar in my eyes and he wasn’t just JC Chasez. He really was just a normal guy, when it all came down to it, minus the nice perks he’d had in life. He breathed the same air as everyone else and felt emotions just like everyone else. He slept and ate like everyone else and he still paid bills too. There were moments where he truly was just Josh Chasez and he didn’t have the glitz and glam surrounding him. He didn’t have paparazzi all up in his business and to me, those moments were the best. I feared that someone would come into his life and only want to love JC, not Josh. I feared that some fake bitch would pretend to love him and care about him for all the wrong reasons and take him for granted. I knew JC was a smart guy and a good judge of character, but it still didn’t keep me from worrying less or ease the fears I had. So…seeing him in new pictures with a new brunette I’d never seen before was very hard to handle. It was excruciating for me to look at the different poses and analyze their expressions, but I had to. It was the only way I could try to find any peace and come to terms with the possibility that lingered. He could possibly be dating her, if not already in love and committed to her.

The pictures had been taken around Runyon Canyon, which wasn’t too far from JC’s place, and the two of them had certainly been dressed for a hike. I was pretty sure Nathaniel hit the nail on the head when he called it a romantic hike. He was dressed in a black, long-sleeved shirt with black track pants, while she was dressed in a white jacket with a blue shirt under it, as well as black yoga pants. They seemed awfully comfortable with one another and she appeared to have no problem kissing him in public. I knew that JC wasn’t big on affection in public, but he also didn’t appear to mind the camera that caught them together. In many of the photos they were embracing each other and looking very much like a couple. I had hugged JC many times, but the way he was embracing her was just…different. There was chemistry there and an attraction that I saw from both of them. I knew he was definitely attracted to her, seeing as she was his usual type with the brown hair, brown eyes, and tight, little body. It was actually tough to take in, knowing how much my heart, body, and soul wanted JC. I felt the stupid teenage girl in me rear her ugly head and my eyes dampen with sadness and jealousy. I didn’t want to feel this way. I didn’t want to love him, knowing that I probably wouldn’t ever get to be Mrs. Chasez. In fact, I always knew I wasn’t going to be the lucky girl, but I always hung on to the potential ‘what if’. Right now I was certain that I had to let all those childish dreams go away and that I had to grow up. The fan in me had to let him be happy with whomever he chose to love and the friend in me had to let him because I loved him that much. All I really wanted, more than anything, was for him to be happy. If he was meant to be happy with some chick that bared a resemblance to his high-profile ex and appeared to be a fitness freak, then that’s the way the cards were dealt.

I shook my head and wiped my eyes, having allowed tears to fall down my cheeks. I didn’t want to cry and knew I had to put my big girl pants on, but it was hard. I wasn’t satisfied with ‘just friends’, yet it wasn’t up to me. Love was a two way street and if I wasn’t the one JC wanted, nor the one that he was meant to love, then I had to go down another street and find the one who was meant for me.

Yet, how could anyone compare to JC? That was a question that I had asked myself after my break up with Trevor and I still didn’t have an answer. I mean, really? Who had blue eyes as clear as the ocean, that sparkled just as bright and beautiful? Who had a laugh as infectious and distinctive as his? Who else had a mega-watt smile that could warm your heart like hot cocoa on a chilly, winter’s night? Who else had that facial structure with a strong jaw and masculine cheek bones that the Greek gods would call perfection? Where else could you find such a powerful voice that was smooth as velvet and as soulful as the jazz in New Orleans? I honestly didn’t know where another total package existed. There was also his dark hair, that had varied in so many styles though out the years, yet still made me want to run my fingers through it. Not to mention the five o’ clock shadow he sported half the time. He looked so delicious when he hadn’t shaved for a few days and I had dreamt of feeling the roughness of the scruff upon my cheek in an intimate caress. Yet, I was still waiting on that moment. That moment that was most likely not coming.

Then there was his heart and his personality. He was so giving and so loving. He cared about his family immensely and had even professed that he’d jump in front of a bus for any of them. His parents were his saviors and he thanked his lucky stars each day for them, as well as for his sister and brother. He was so close to his family and he was equally close to many of his friends. He’d do whatever he could to lend a helping hand or put someone in a good mood. He was also the go-to guy for advice and a funny joke. He could be hilarious as hell and brighten even the saddest person’s mood. He always saw the positive in every situation and wanted everyone to see the positives as well. He made critiques and suggestions to better people, as well as to help the crews he judged on television. He just genuinely cared. It was in his blood to be a class-act kind of guy and to be selfless. He never asked for anything, yet was always willing to give. He’d made many anonymous donations to charities through out the years, never wanting the attention from it. He did everything with the best of intentions and with nothing, but passion in his heart. He was also loyal to a fault and willing to do whatever he had to for everyone and everything he loved. He just had a list of attributes that could go on and on and reasons why he was so unique, special, amazing, etc. Yet, at the end of the day…he was simply Josh and I loved him for who he was and all that he was.

So even with my heart aching in agony and feeling like it was breaking into pieces, I had to tell myself that it was okay. That as much as I wanted to puke and as much as I wanted to push the mystery brunette out of the way and put my hands all over JC and make out with him, that I couldn’t. What had been done was done and I didn’t want to be sick over this. I didn’t want to shed another tear over this. It was silly and I needed to close that chapter in my life. The chapter where I thought JC and I would fall madly in love and live happily ever after. It wasn’t going to be written in the story of my life and I had to face the music.

Someone else had to be out there for me. Maybe they wouldn’t be as handsome as JC in my eyes or maybe they’d lack his signature smile. Maybe they wouldn’t have a wicked sense of humor or even a sexy swagger about them, but they’d have something…something that would hold my heart and keep it happy.

I sighed and took one last look of the pictures, noticing the one where he had his hand on the brunette’s ass. It was a gesture any girl would crave from a man she was in a relationship with and seeing him do it to a girl other than me was tough, but I understood. I knew he appreciated a fine ass on a girl and that he’d touch whatever he pleased. If she was what he wanted, then so be it. It wasn’t like I had any say in it. I just wanted him happy and for her to treat him exactly as he deserved to be treated; with love and respect.

I finally, closed out of the album of pictures, forcing myself to do it, and then turned my laptop off. My alarm clock rang a moment later and I realized today was going to be just a lovely day, sarcastically speaking. 

I hadn’t slept a wink and had been up all night over the discovery of JC’s mystery girl and their affections. My eyes were puffy from tears that had been shed, as well as lack of sleep. I was still in the same clothes I had been wearing for my date with Matt and I was beginning to yawn profusely. I was going to need a million servings of caffeine and a quick shower to really give me a buzz. Work was calling for me and I had to be there in an hour. I felt totally stupid now for letting myself become a zombie over a man, even if it was JC.



When I stepped into Divine Threads an hour later, I had a large cup of coffee in hand and I had foundation on to cover up the dark circles that had accumulated under my eyes. I tried to cover up the yawn that escaped my lips as I walked by Lucy and another stylist. They would probably both assume I was on crack or badger me with questions if I let them notice just how fatigued I was. Luckily, I managed to make it into my office with no one hounding me with questions or expressing concern. I opened up my email, as usual, and checked for any important messages. Finding none, I checked over my schedule and saw that I’d be able to fit in an hour nap between two clients, which sadly, excited me.

I just wanted to make it through the day and focus on the positives. I had a career, a new project ahead of me with ABDC, and a blossoming romance. I guess that’s what you could call it between Matthew and I. Maybe…jut maybe…he could compare somewhat to JC?

I shook my head, trying to rid of anymore romantic thoughts and heard the phone on my desk ring then. I picked it up and heard Lucy’s voice on the other line.

“Everly? Hey…are you okay? You looked like you were ready to pass out when you arrived.” I sighed, not wanting to get into it and just glad that Lucy was asking me over the phone and not making a big scene.

“Yeah, I’m fine, Luce. I just had a rough time sleeping last night, but no worries. I’ll be sure to sleep tonight.”

“Well…okay. You know if you need to chat, I’m here.” I nodded, even though she couldn’t see me.

“Thanks and I appreciate that, but really…I’m good.”

“Okay.” She simply said and then I heard the line go dead. I hung my phone up as well, hoping that it had satisfied Lucy.

I reached for a color palette that was sitting out on my desk then and as I began to envision combinations in my head, my phone on my desk rang once again. This time it was Nathaniel.

“Hey, sugar pie. I just came in and Lucy told me you look like shit.” I didn’t know whether to laugh or be insulted.

“Uhh…yeah, I guess I might look like shit. I just didn’t sleep at all last night.” I confessed to my friend, knowing he’d understand.

“Analyzed the photos of JC and mystery chick all night, did you?” He sighed. “I know they were a lot to take in, but you have Matthew now. I mean, I’d do either of them, but if you can’t have a Chasez platter, enjoy a Morrison meal.”

I laughed for the first time, since seeing the unfortunate photos, and it actually felt good. Leave it to Nathaniel to bring humor, where humor was needed.

“That is a good point, Nathaniel. I’ll keep that in mind.” I grinned into the phone. “And I promise I’m not going to dwell on this whole thing with JC. He’s got to do what he’s got to do and I’ve got to respect that. He’s my friend, first and foremost.”

“Good. ‘Cause remember…JC wants you happy too. He did set you up with Matthew, didn’t he? I mean why else would the man do that, if he didn’t want you and Matthew to find love?” It was another good point on his behalf.

“True..that’s true. I know his heart is in the right place.” I sipped some of my coffee down.

“And your heart is in the right place too, Everly. I really think you can move on now from your past and find the love you’ve always dreamed of. Matthew is definitely a step in the right direction.”

“He is…he is. I mean so far things have been great between us. I think I might just be ready to let fate take the course it’s meant to take.” I sipped more coffee, feeling the caffeine kicking in.

“That’s good. I’m proud of you, Everly. I guess my main question is do you think you’ll still be able to handle working on ABDC?” I sighed then, realizing that just because I couldn’t have JC romantically, didn’t mean our friendship ended. Plus, we’d be bumping into each other on the set of his show. I mean…I’d be approving his outfits.

I thought about it for a second and then firmly responded. “Yes.”

“Just checking.” I heard a chuckle escape Nathaniel’s lips.

“I know, but the answer is yes. ABDC is going to help me out tremendously and I shouldn’t let anything get in the way. I can and will still have a great time working with JC. He’s my friend…always, no matter what.”

“Alright, alright…you don’t have to preach to me anymore. I just wanted to check up on you and it sounds like you’re going to be okay.”

I smiled then at Nathaniel’s words. He was right. I was going to be okay. I had gone through a lot, yet I had so much to look forward to. I could handle anything and I’d come out okay.


After ending my call with Nathaniel and dressing some clients, I found my opportunity to take a little nap. I cleared some stuff of my desk and made room to rest my head. I settled my arms onto my desk and then lay my head upon them. I closed my eyes and then waited for sleep to take me away. I didn’t even bother to set an alarm or close my office door or anything. I knew if I slept over the allotted time I had, someone would just wake me up.

What I didn’t expect was for that someone to be Matt.

I had been sound asleep, when I heard someone bang hard on my desk and yell out my name. My body shook hard and bolted upward, as my eyes opened in surprise. I looked long and hard, taking in the man before me and felt my heart racing then.

“Matt? What are you doing here?” He laughed.

“I came to surprise you, but looks like you were having fun sleeping on the job.” I yawned softly and wiped my eyes, knowing makeup came off.

“Excuse me for being tired.” He gave me a concerned look.

“Did you not sleep well?” I shook my head.

“I’m sorry. Well you probably would’ve slept better had you let me stay last night. I could’ve held you all through the night.” I was surprised by his remark, but smiled.

“Yeah, well, sleepovers aren’t a second date thing.” He chuckled.

“But they do happen before or after molestation?” I shrugged.

“I’m not sure…I’ll have to get back to you on that one.” He chuckled once more.

“I’ll be waiting. So, you think you might be able to grab dinner with me tomorrow night?” I mentally went through my schedule.

“Our third date, huh? Hmm….yeah, I think I can fit you in for dinner tomorrow night.” He smiled.

“Good. I look forward to it, Miss Monroe. By the way, you look beautiful.” I laughed then.

“What?” He asked me, giving me an odd expression.

“I look like shit, don’t I? Be real.” He shook his head.

“No, you look beautiful. You might be tired, have makeup under your eyes, and some hair out of place, but you’re still beautiful. I love a girl who can pull off normal and be herself.”

I couldn’t help, but to blush at his words. I wondered if he was that smooth all the time and how genuine his words were, but…I knew he was a good guy. I wasn’t going to ruin the moment and question him.

He stepped over to me then and pulled my chair, which was a nice cushioned chair with wheels, and backed me away from my desk. Then he fit in the space between me and my desk and leaned in, grabbing my face. He forced me to bring my face to his and he planted a kiss to my lips.

“Mmm…”He moaned upon my lips. “Coffee.”

I couldn’t help, but to giggle. “I drank a lot of it.”

He kissed me again. “I like it.”

I moved my lips against his and tasted the combination of my coffee and the fresh mint, that apparently came from his toothpaste or mouthwash.

“Mmm…” I moaned in return upon his lips. I wasn’t expecting a kissing session in my office, but it was welcomed.

He deepened the kiss then and held on to my cheeks tighter, sliding his tongue along my bottom lip. I could tell that he wanted to slide his tongue past my lips and into my mouth, so we could have a delicious mingle of our tongues. I wasn’t about to protest either, except my phone rang and this time it was my cell phone. For a split second I thought about not answering it, as Matthew played with my lips, but I breathlessly pulled away from him. He was breathless as well and I noticed some of the lipstick I’d hastily put on this morning had stained his lips.

“Sorry, never know who’s calling me and if it’s an emergency.” I said softly, reaching into my purse that was on the floor and fishing my cell phone out.

“It’s okay.” He said, wiping his lips then.

I didn’t even bother to check my caller id and just flipped my phone open.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Hey, Ev. Sorry, if I’m interrupting. I misplaced your work number.” It was JC and I just took a deep breath.

“It’s alright…what’s up?” I waited for him to continue.

“There’s a photo shoot happening for the judges and Randy tomorrow. They just scheduled it out of nowhere and Randy was hoping you could style it. If you can’t, he’ll understand, but he just thought it would be good practice for the real deal.”

“You mean they booked the photographer already?” I asked, knowing that usually photo shoots worked around a photographers availability.

“Yeah, and it can’t be rebooked. So you going to style it or what?” I looked at the calendar on my desk and saw that I was off tomorrow. I ‘d forgotten I’d taken it as a random day off to use a vacation day.

“Yeah, yeah, I can. I’ll be able to do it.” I answered, nervous how it was going to turn out. Though I was looking forward to putting my expertise to good use.

“Awesome. I’m actually going to call Randy right now and let him know and then he’ll probably call you back later with all the information.”

“Alright. Sounds good, JC. I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“See you, Ev. Bring your ‘A’ game.”

“You know I will. You’ll all be looking good.” I heard him laugh then.

“Whatever you say. Bye.” I heard JC hang up then and I flipped my phone shut. I looked up at Matthew then and he smiled.

“Now where were we?” I grinned at his question, letting him resume the kissing. Life had its way of surprising you and right now I was being pleasantly surprised.


End Notes:
Thank you to all my readers/reviewers. You make me want to keep this story rolling.
Chapter 13 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter...here's a late gift from the Bunny.

 

“Yo, yo, what up, Everly? Good to see you, girl!” Randy Jackson greeted me, as I stepped on set of the photo shoot for him and the ABDC judges. I couldn’t help, but to chuckle, finding amusement in the way the man spoke. He was definitely the same in real life as on TV.

“Hi, Randy. I’m glad to see you too.” I smiled. “I’m ready to get this started.”

“So are we. I’m excited to see what clothing we’re all going to wear.” He then pointed toward a huge selection of clothes that were hanging on long racks. “Start looking for the awesome duds, girl. D-Trix, Lil Mama, and JC should all be getting here any moment.”

I simply nodded my head and stepped over to the clothing. I knew that the look for the shoot was leaning towards an urban edge, but polished as well. I noticed many different kinds of jackets, as well as baggy pants. There were many items with zippers and embellishments, as well as a whole selection of funky footwear. I wanted to keep the street vibe with my selections, but also not make it too cheesy. They were the judges after all, not the crews themselves. I wanted everyone to look great, but also feel comfortable and maintain their individual style.

I really didn’t have a clue though as to what I’d pick for Lil Mama. She was her own definition of special and her fashion sense was definitely interesting to say the least. I was thinking I’d have to just let her make her own choices and pray I didn’t get yelled at for them. On the other hand, JC would be easier to style and I was thankful for that. I also imagined that D-Trix would be easy to style as well. I had no concerns with Randy, seeing as he was already a pretty stylish dude.

“I’m ready to get me some swagger.” I looked up, hearing a voice and then saw it was Lil Mama. “You’re the new stylist?”

I nodded my head as she stepped closer to me and then put my hand out. She shook my hand. “I’m Everly Monroe. I know who you are.”

She cackled then. “Of course, darling. Everyone knows who I am. It’s nice to meet you, Everly.”

“Likewise.” I simply said and began to look at the racks of clothing once again. “You have a certain color in mind?”

I knew that asking a basic question could sometimes be the key to finding the right outfit. I hoped that she had an answer.

“Pink! I’m feeling pinklicious today.” I tried to not chuckle at her reply.

“Sounds good. Let’s see what we’ve got in pink.” She began eyeing the rack, as I did too.

“This jacket is styling. I think I got to wear this.” I saw her grab a leather pink jacket off the rack that was studded out with various-shaped silver studs.

“Sure, if that’s what you want. Hopefully there’s something around here you can wear underneath it.” I wasn’t a huge fan of the bubblegum pink, but it was an ABDC photo shoot after all. I wasn’t exactly styling for a Vogue cover.

I ended up finding a halter top and mini skirt set that was a light turquoise with pink lip prints all over it. The pink of the lips would match the pink of the jacket and since Lil Mama was all about the lip gloss, I figured she’d have no objections to lips on her clothing. I showed her the set and her face lit up. She immediately grabbed the articles of clothing from me, ready to try them on.

“This is gonna be perfect, girl. I hope it fits.” I watched her head toward the direction of the changing area.

“What about shoes?” I yelled out in question.

“Pinkliciousness again, please.” She replied and I shook my head. I looked at the collection of shoes and found the highest pair of platform heeled shoes ever. They were that annoying shade of bubblegum pink again and matched the pink jacket perfectly. I checked for the size and sure enough they were the right size for Lil Mama. She’d just have to try them on, as soon as she returned in the rest of the outfit.

I waited a moment and Lil Mama reappeared, looking like a princess diva, who got swallowed up by bubblegum. The halter top, mini skirt, and jacket all fit her well actually and she pulled the look off. Plus she appeared happy with the outfit and I didn’t want to ruffle her feathers on our first day working together. I’d let her keep it all on and hope it came out nice in the photos. I showed her the pink platforms and she squealed in delight, grabbing the shoes from me and switching out the pair she had on for them.

“Marvelous, absolutely marvelous.” She exclaimed, taking a few steps in the pink platforms. They seemed to fit her alright and she stepped over to a mirror to check herself out. I tried to not laugh as she checked herself out and made model poses.

“I love it. This totally works. I’m feeling ready to rock it for the camera.” I smiled and tried to not roll my eyes. I had to keep it professional and just be glad that the girl was satisfied.

“Great. Then I guess you can go over to hair and makeup, while I style the guys.” She nodded and then walked away from the mirror, over to the other side of the room where a hair stylist was waiting for her.

I looked around, taking a moment to sigh in relief that I’d finished Lil Mama, when I spotted D-Trix next. He had an eager smile upon his face and he walked into the room like he owned it. I knew he was the new addition to the judging panel for this season and that his crew had been champions of a past season. I didn’t have a real opinion of the guy yet and just wanted things to go smoothly. I hoped he didn’t have an attitude and that he’d put on what I picked out for him.

“Hey, I’m D-Trix. It’s nice to meet you.” He held his hand out and I shook it in return.

“Nice to meet you too.” I put a smile on. “I’m Everly Monroe. I know you’re new around here and so am I.”

“It’s nice to be fresh meat together.” He said with a nervous chuckle. “So…what clothing have you got for me?”

I eyed him up and down and seeing what he had on, decided that he could easily pull off a t-shirt, jacket, and pants. I just wasn’t sure what color choices he’d be comfortable with. Yet, I knew I didn’t want him to be as bold as Lil Mama. Something more subdued and understated would suit him.

“You like dark colors?” I asked, eyeing the mens’ clothing. “I’m thinking I want you to wear a simple t-shirt and jacket.”

“That sounds good and I do like dark colors, but a splash of something bright would be nice too. I want something that’ll pop and still be hip hop, ya know?” I nodded my head and then saw a green t-shirt. It had very thick, faded stripes across it, but was nothing over the top. I also grabbed a gray jacket that had buttons, pockets and flaps. I found dark charcoal pants as well, that were denim. I looked at all the items together and imagined them looking great as an ensemble. So I gave all of it to D-Trix, after confirming sizes, and had him head over to the dressing area.

When he returned, all decked out in my selections, I was happy and he appeared happy as well. The look was young and hip and had some of the street flavor I was going for. I realized he just needed a pair of shoes that would go with the outfit and once I asked him what he was looking for, he told me boots.

Luckily, there was a pair of dark boots that laced-up and would blend in with the rest of the outfit. They were edgy and masculine, as well as big, which was quite alright, considering the shoes Lil Mama was going to wear.

“Try these.” I said, handing him the pair of boots and he obliged. Once he had them on, he seemed to gain even more confidence.

“These boots are dope. Plus they look mad cool with everything else. I think we’ve got a winner.” I smiled, happy to cross another judge off my list.

“Good, I’m glad.”

“Thank you. I hope it’s this easy every time.” He winked and then headed over to get his hair and make up done.

I checked my watch then and realized that time was ticking. I hadn’t seen JC appear yet and decided I’d get Randy taken care of. The man already looked decent and it was apparent he was feeling the black today. He had on a black t-shirt with a v-neck. Which was good, considering that I wanted the guys to blend in more than Lil Mama.

“Hey, Randy.” I called his name out and motioned my hand for him to join me. He walked over to me after finishing some small talk with the photographer.

“You ready for me?” He asked, grinning.

I nodded my head. “Yeah, I have Lil Mama and D-Trix styled. I haven’t seen JC yet, so I’m moving onto you.”

“I hope he shows up. It’s not like that dawg to be late.” I tried to not laugh at Randy referring to JC as ‘dawg’. There was just some usage of slang that I couldn’t get over.

“I’m sure he will.” I assured him and then grabbed some black pants off a rack. “I want you to keep your black t-shirt on. Just swap out your blue jeans for these black ones. I think you’ll look great in all black.”

He nodded and didn’t protest at all. “Sound good to me. I like to keep it simple and real.”

“You can have fun with your accessories instead.” I told him, eyeing the accessory table. “Maybe a bright watch or something that’ll give a neat contrast.”

“Dude, look at this bad ass watch.” He grabbed a plastic, bright orange watch from the table and put it on his wrist. “Now this is mad dope.”

“I think it’ll suit you quite well, Randy.” I wasn’t about to object, when the man gave me the job in the first place.

“I need an awesome chain too.” He grabbed a silver chain off the table and then left to put his outfit together.

So far, everything was going well and I didn’t feel like I was making any mistakes in my decisions. I managed to dress three out of the four ‘stars’ of the photo shoot and everyone had made it easy on me. I really hoped that JC would be equally as easy to dress, but then again he’d never really stirred up too much trouble for me. He was pretty easy-going and took my opinion into consideration.

I checked my watch again, noting that I’d already been on set for a little while now. I looked across the way at the photographer and watched him double-check his equipment and fool around with the lighting. I could tell he was growing antsy and was ready to take the pictures, but we were both waiting on a certain man.

I decided to start picking out what JC was going to wear to save time and to stop him from having too much say. I knew I wanted a t-shirt, jacket, and some dark pants for him as well, keeping in mind the outfit I’d picked for D-Trix. I went through the racks, checking for stuff in JC’s size and made some good pulls. I found a light gray t-shirt, along with a darker gray jacket that I knew JC would like. It had zippers on it and a collar that could be popped, which was something he could get away with. There was also a neat pair of pants with a dark stripe down the sides of them, which would complement the zippers on the jacket.

“Sorry, sorry, I’m late.” I looked up from the clothing I placed aside and saw JC. He was breathing heavily and looked disheveled. He appeared like he’d just come from the gym or something because he had on a gray track suit. I also noticed that he had what looked like a smudge of lipstick on his cheek.

“Hi.” I laughed, not being able to hold it in. “What happened to you?”

He took a deep breath and ran his hand over his face. “Hey. I kind of lost track of time and got caught up in something.”

I looked at his mouth as he spoke and realized his lips looked slightly swollen, as if he’d been kissing someone. The pictures of him making out with the mystery brunette flooded back into my mind and I wondered if he’d just been with her again.

“Like a make out session at the gym?” I quipped in question. “ ‘Cause that’s what it looks like.”

He blushed then and I noticed just how happy he appeared. His eyes seemed to be sparkling. “Maybe…maybe not.”

I chuckled. “You realize you have lipstick…here.” I reached to the side of his face, that he’d failed to touch earlier. I rubbed the shade of red off for him.

He gave me a guilty look then, like he’d been caught and was embarrassed. “Oops.”

“Yeah, oops. You got to be more subtle, Chasez. Can’t be walking around with lipstick on yourself.”

He chuckled then. “My bad. I honestly didn’t know it was there.”

“But you knew her lips were there.” I smirked, trying to put humor into the situation, instead of focusing on the fact he had been kissing a girl. I was trying to get past that.

“Yeah, yeah...whatever.” He sighed and he seemed to calm down. “Can we get to the task at hand? I need clothes to wear.”

I nodded my head. “And I have them for you.” I picked up the t-shirt, jacket, and pants that I’d selected and handed them to him.

“Gray?” He questioned. “I guess that works. It’s in my wardrobe a lot anyways.”

I rolled my eyes at him. “That’s all you can say? Look at the jacket, Chasez. Don’t you love the zippers? I know you love zippers.”

He laughed then and tugged on a zipper pull, making a pocket open up. “Okay..this jacket is sweet. You could hide a bunch of stuff with these zipper pockets.”

I grinned. “Much better. Now go try this all on and come back looking amazing.”

He tossed me a cheeky grin and gave me a salute with his hand. “Aye, aye, captain.”

I watched him walk away and go to the changing area and sighed. He was something else and I had been surprised by the way he showed up. He was a pretty professional guy and was so good about his schedule. Having him be the last to show up and looking slightly like a hot mess was just…unexpected. Yet, if he was dating the mystery brunette, I guess understood.

“I feel great in this outfit.” JC strutted over to me a couple minutes later and he had a confidence about him. He appeared just really happy and truly content with what he was wearing.

“You look great in it too. It’s enough flavor without you pretending to be ghetto.” I heard a hearty chuckle escape his lips then.

“What? You’re not digging my thug appeal?” It was then my turn to chuckle.

“You don’t have thug appeal. You’re just…you.” He stepped over to the collection of shoes.

“But me being me is good, right?” I nodded my head.

“Yes, you’re fine being you. I prefer you over someone with thug appeal.” He grinned and then picked up a pair of boots.

“Look at these, Ev! Aren’t they super dope?” I carefully eyed the boots and noticed how huge and vintage looking they were. They almost looked like work boots or like they’d been abandoned at a construction sight. Heck…they even looked like they could’ve belonged to Frankenstein’s monster.

“JC, really? They’re ugly. Don’t you dare put them on.” He dropped his head then, not happy with my reaction.

“But..but..they’re cool. I think they’ll totally go with the rest of the outfit.” I watched him turn his head and catch sight of Lil Mama and D-Trix, who’d finished up with hair and make-up. “And look…Lil Mama has hooker shoes on and you let D-Trix pick boots too.”

I laughed at his attempt to get me to allow him to wear the boots. It was kind of adorable and I sighed, debating whether I should give into him.

“Please, Everly? They’re just boots. They’re not going to make or break your career. I want to wear them.” I noticed a pout forming on his full lips.

He did have a point though. It wasn’t like his feet would be the focal point of the pictures anyways, so it wasn’t that huge of a deal what kind of shoes he wore. Plus, I knew that once we were taping the actual episodes, his shoes selection wouldn’t really matter since no one ever saw what the judges had on their feet, since they sat behind the judging table. So since this was the one time his shoes would actually be seen, I’d just give into him and let him have his happiness.

“Alright…alright.” I smiled. “You can wear your monster boots.”

“Thank you.” He grinned and dropped a kiss to my cheek. “You’re the best.”

“Now go get your ass to hair and make-up. They’ve got to quickly get you ready, since it looks like everyone else is done and waiting on you.”

“Yeah..yeah…” He quickly slid his gym shoes off and replaced them with the boots, before walking over to the hair and make-up area.


About ten minutes later, I watched as Randy, D-Trix, Lil Mama, and JC all appeared on set. Everyone looked ready to start shooting and I realized just how great everything came out. Their looks complemented one another’s and I liked the contrast of gray shades on D-Trix and JC’s ensembles. Randy was just smooth in his all black, minus some white sneakers and well..Lil Mama was pinklicious. Yet, it worked.

I was really amazed though at how wonderful JC looked. It was like he’d transformed from a handsome man to a devastatingly sexy bastard in point two seconds. The hair and make-up stylists had really done a great job on him in so fast. His face looked refreshed and there was no signs of lipstick or fatigue. His hair was also perfectly styled and neatly placed. He just looked so clean cut and well put together. It dawned on me that the scruff he’d been sporting for the past little while was gone and his cheeks just looked baby soft now. I wanted to rub his cheek again, but not because I had to removed lipstick from it. His eyes also seemed to be even brighter than usual and I just knew he’d look killer in the finished product of the photo shoot.

I stood back and watched as the photographer worked his magic with his camera and captured awesome shots of the foursome. They photographed well together and I already sensed a lot of excitement between them for the new season. They were all in good spirits and had fun posing together. Then the photographer decided to take some individual photos of everyone and of course, JC was the most stunning. The camera just loved him and he was simply photogenic.

Once the photo shoot wrapped up and the photographer had all the shots he wanted, everyone started to change back into their original clothing. It was up to me to put everything back neatly on the racks and tables. I took all the pinklicious items from Lil Mama once she was ready to hand them over, and placed them where they belonged. I honestly didn’t mind the fact I wouldn’t be seeing the girl again for another couple of weeks. I also gathered clothing from Randy and D-Trix and waited on JC.

He was once again the last one and I realized he was on his cell phone, when he stepped up to me handing over everything, but the boots. He still had them on his feet and I feared he wanted to borrow them and not return them just yet. I shook my head at the thought, placing the jacket back on a hanger, as well as the t-shirt. Then I placed them on a rack, along with the pants he’d worn.

His eyes made contact with mine as he concluded his phone call and then he smiled, slipping his phone back into his pocket.

“I’m wearing these boots home. I feel bad ass in them.” I chuckled.

“I was afraid you’d say that.” He grinned.

“I asked Randy for the okay and he told me that I could leave with them.”

“Well that’s just great.” He continued to grin.

“I know. So, you did a great job today. Randy told me he was impressed.”

“Really? I’m glad to hear that and thank you, JC.” I felt him pull me into a hug then.

“Your welcome, honey. We’re gonna have a blast all season long.” I hugged him in return and then felt him pull back a few seconds later.

“I think so too.” He then reached for his phone again and I watched him quickly send a text message.

“About the other night…I know I apologized…” He began to speak and I listened. “I just wanted to apologize again. I know I wasn’t right in the head at the time.”

“It’s fine…I understand. You had a lot of wine and you seemed nervous. I know you didn’t mean for any of it.”

He nodded his head. “I was nervous. I met this girl…and I was trying to impress her and I thought the whole wine thing would calm me down and make me appear suave. Then I accidentally texted you and all that jazz.”

I nodded, understanding where he was going with his explanation. “I get it, JC. Though I’m pretty sure this girl showed up later, didn’t she?”

“Mmhmm.” He admitted. “Like right as you were leaving. I was happy to see her and let her in. We ended up having a great night and she slept over.”

I could only imagine what sleeping over had entailed and something told me I didn’t want to know. “And you’re telling me all of this why? You usually don’t share that much about your love life.”

“Because…I just feel happy. She’s like the coolest chick I’ve met in a long time and I’ve been seeing a lot of her lately. I wanted to give you a heads up. I figured since you might have already formed an inkling that I was seeing someone, I’d let you in the know.”

“Ahh…I understand.” I mustered up a smile. “I’m happy for you, JC. Thank you for trusting me with such information. It means a lot. I just hope she’s treating you right.”

He chuckled. “She is…she is. Don’t you worry about that.”

“So did you meet her at the gym?” I blurted out in question. It was something Lila and I had suspected and I just wanted to know.

“Actually, yes.” He chuckled again. “She’s a personal trainer at Equinox and one day while I was working out, we just kind of started talking and hit things off.”

“That explains why you’ve been working out so much lately and took a hike with her.” I watched his jaw drop slightly then and realized I said too much.

“You know about that? How?”

“You were photographed after your hike and Nathaniel sent me a link to the pictures.” I admitted. “She’s a small brunette, right?”

He nodded his head slowly. “Yeah…that would’ve been her. I thought we maybe got seen by some paparazzi, but I wasn’t entirely sure. Thanks for letting me know. I’m sorry you saw us together before I could clarify everything.”

“Don’t worry about it, JC.” I waved his comment off. “You don’t have to explain your whole life to me.” Yet, the more I was in the know about his life, the better I felt. It was nice to be confided in and to feel close to him.

“I know, but you’re my friend and I like sharing stuff with you.” He confessed and I smiled.

“And thank you for telling me. I’m glad you didn’t get molested on the street by a random girl on your way here. It’s nice to know the lipstick came from a girl you actually know.”

He laughed. “Yeah..yeah. In fact, I’m meeting up with her for dinner tonight. I just sent her a text to clarify the time.”

“Cool. I’m having dinner out tonight too with Matthew.” JC smirked.

“Oh yeah? How’s that going for you?” I smiled.

“It’s going pretty well. It’s our third date and I already feel a connection. The man is definitely a good guy.”

“He is. He really is, Everly. That’s why I figured it wouldn’t hurt to match you two up.”

“Yeah, it’s been nice so far.”

“And I talked to him last night and he brought you up, saying nothing but great things.” I smiled, touched that Matt was talking about me. I knew things were still really fresh with us, but if I was on his mind, then it was a good thing.

“That’s sweet of him.” JC nodded his head.

“Yeah. Well I actually should get going. I’ll probably see you in a few days, if I make it into Divine Threads for that other outfit I need.”

“Sounds good.” I nodded and then waved at him.

He waved in return, stepping away. “Bye, Ev.”

“Later, JC.”

I watched him walk away then and wondered if this new girl in JC’s life realized what she had. I also wondered when and if I was going to meet her.



Later that night, I met Matthew for our dinner date. He had chosen a little Italian restaurant that wasn’t known to many Hollywood regulars, which was nice. There weren’t that many other customers in the restaurant and we had some privacy. We sat beside each other in a booth and it was rather cozy and romantic. Not to mention that Matthew looked and smelled delicious.

He had on a simple white dress shirt, paired with a skinny black tie. His pants were a pair of classic gray slacks that hugged his legs just right. He appeared more sophisticated than the character he played on TV and I liked that a lot. His hair was tamed and I could tell he’d put just the right amount of product in it. The scent of his cologne was intoxicating and I was pretty sure it was some designer brand.

“You really do look great tonight.” I told him with a smile.

“As do you, pretty girl.” He said, eyeing the dress I had put on my body. It was a simple gray dress with a black belt at the waist. It also had cap sleeves and a modest neckline. The skirt of the dress felt right at my knees and my feet were adorned with black pumps. It was simple, yet classy enough for the atmosphere we were in.

“Thank you.” I said softly and reached for my glass of water. I sipped some of the cool liquid, having decided to not have wine tonight. I wasn’t one to usually drink wine on every date, nor did I feel the need for it right now. Matthew had gone along with it and decided to order a Sprite. I was happy with my water.

“I’m so hungry.” Matthew said. “The chicken parmesan is so yummy here. You’re going to love it.”

We had both ordered the chicken parmesan and were waiting on its arrival to the table. “I love Italian food, so I’m sure I will.”

He smiled and pressed a kiss to my cheek. “And if you don’t, I’ll make it up to you with dessert.”

I chuckled then. “I’ll take dessert either way.”

He laughed. “Sounds good to me.”

“So…how did today go? You had an ABDC photo shoot to style, right?” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, and it went pretty smoothly. Everyone ended up looking great. JC was actually the last to arrive though.”

“He’s always been the first one at the studio, when we’ve been scheduled together.”

“Yeah, he usually is Mr. On Time.”

“So did he have a good reason for being late?” I wasn’t sure what, if anything, JC had told Matt about his budding romance with the little, athletic brunette. So I decided to keep it simple.

“He’s seeing someone and I guess he was with her and lost track of time.” Matthew chuckled.

“That’s quite an excuse. He did mention to me though the last time we were in the studio something about feeling like his love life was heading in a good direction. So good for him.”

I smiled, as I received my answer. Apparently, Matthew and JC had become real good friends, just as I suspected. Maybe Matthew even had more dirt than I had, but I decided not to dig. I wasn’t going to gossip right now with him, while we were on our date. I was the apple of Matt’s eye now. I needed to focus on him and not on things I couldn’t control.

“Yeah, it’s nice to see him happy.” I grabbed my napkin and laid it upon my lap then, as the waitress brought out dishes of chicken parmesan to the table. Matthew did the same as well and we both grabbed our forks and knives, ready to dig in.

After savoring our food and swallowing some of it down, our conversation started up again. Sometimes it just felt good to fill your stomach before rambling on more. I listened, as I heard Matthew speak up.

“So while you were being Miss Fashionista today, I actually had a meeting about my upcoming tours. I have some European dates and then a whole slew of US dates. I finalized all the shows with my manager, the record label, and the venues. Everything’s pretty much getting set into motion now. It’s just amazing how quickly it’s coming together.”

I grinned, happy to hear that he was going to go out on tour and that his dreams were coming true. I knew this was such a change from starring on Broadway or being a lead role on Glee. It was a chance for Matthew to be Matthew. A chance for him to put is personal flavor into the music world and to show what he was capable of.

“That’s great, Matt. I’m happy for you.” I put a kiss to his cheek. “I’ll have to definitely catch a show.”

“I’ll put you in VIP, babe.” He laughed. “But, yes..I want you to catch a show. Even more than one would be great.”

“Sounds good to me. I’ll be there whenever I can.”

“Good. I just hope that when I’m overseas, you don’t forget about me.”

“I’m pretty sure I won’t.” I assured him. “You’re easy to remember.”

He smiled and then stole a quick peck. “ That’s what I like to hear. I know it’s going to be hard with this being a new development between us and my album coming out soon, along with the tour happening. Yet, if you can just work with me and I work with you, then we can keep this going and see where it leads to.”

I nodded my head, fully understanding. I knew enough to know that many musicians feared that their relationships would crumble once they got hectic schedules and hit the road. Being in a relationship was a lot of give and take and it was even more true in Hollywood. I was willing to just let it play out as it would and not worry too much just yet. I would do whatever for Matthew and take it day by day.

“I’ll work with you.” I smiled. “Don’t get crazy on me. I’d like to see where this goes too and I’ll do my best to stay sane and be there for you.”

“Thank you. Thank you.” He grabbed my face and put a gentle kiss upon my lips. “That means a lot.”

“Welcome.” I whispered against his lips and tasted them once more in a kiss. Then we separated and continued to dine on our chicken parmesan. Luckily, Matt was right about it being delicious and we both finished off our plates without any problem.

When the waitress returned, we didn’t need any doggy bags, and we decided to forgo ordering dessert in the end. I knew we would probably end up finding our own dessert later, seeing as the night was still young.

Matthew made sure to pay the check and leave a generous tip for the waitress and I smiled, as he slid out of the booth and then waited for me to stand up. I slid out and then grabbed his arm, after standing up. With our arms linked together, Matthew led me out of the restaurant and then over to his car. He gently backed me up against the side of his car then and smiled. His blue eyes twinkled with mischief.

“So, I was thinking…you could come back to my place. I haven’t brought a girl over in awhile, but I’d love to have you over. I apologize now if it’s a mess.”

I chuckled. “Don’t worry about a mess. I can handle whatever you’ve got for me. Plus you’ve seen my place, so I’d love to come over.”

“Awesome. I love how easy-going you are.” He smiled and gave me a warm, squeeze.

“I aim to please.” I let out a girlish giggle then and realized that maybe this thing with Matthew wasn’t just a fluke anymore. Maybe there was true potential there and I had to say ‘yes’ the next time he asked me to be his girlfriend.

He held me against him a little longer and then let me go. “I’ll see you at my place. Just follow me.”

I nodded and then walked over to my car, wondering what I was getting myself into now.

End Notes:
I've been toying with the idea of doing a character photo page..but not sure if I want to/should do one. What do you all think? Let me know if you'd like to see one.
Chapter 14 by harmonysparkle

 

The sun crept through the blinds the next morning and it stirred me awake. I slowly opened my eyes, letting them become accustomed to the sunlight that was pouring into the room. I realized I had a set of arms around me and slightly panicked for a moment, but I took a deep breath in relief. I figured out where I was and who was holding me.

I had fallen asleep at Matthew’s place, in his bed, with his arms around me. The previous night came flooding back to me and I couldn’t help, but to smile. We’d ended up watching a movie on his couch once we got back from dinner and shared a small bottle of wine, along with strawberries and whipped cream that he happened to have in his fridge. When the movie ended, I was prepared to leave, but Matt had another idea and asked me to cuddle for a little bit in his bed. We ended up talking and laugh, learning even more about each other, as he held me against his chest. Time got away from us, that I finally just gave in to spending the night, not wanting to leave at 2 o 'clock in the morning.

I turned my head back and noticed Matt was still sleeping, so I slowly and carefully pulled my body from his grasp. I slid off the bed then and planted a kiss to his forehead, before heading into his bathroom. I found some mouthwash in one of the cabinets and decided to use it. I wanted minty fresh breath, since I was pretty sure Matt would be kissing me once he came alive from the land of sleep. Once I swooshed some around and spit it out, I decided to wipe some of my makeup off that had gotten messed up and smudged. Then I crept out of the bathroom and found my purse. I fished a brush out of it and straightened and untangled my long locks with it. There wasn’t much I could do with not being home with all my own toiletries and necessities, but I worked with what I did have. I figured that Matthew would understand anyways. I’d quickly figured out he wasn’t all that materialistic and shallow and focused on inner beauty.

I stepped back into Matthew’s bedroom and once I did, I saw him move around a little and then blink his eyes open. A yawn escaped his lips and his hands went to his eyes, rubbing them. He took a moment to focus on me and once he did, I smiled. A smile spread across his face as well.

“Good morning, Everly.” I made my way back to the bed and took a seat upon the mattress.

“Good morning, Matt.” He snaked his arm around me then, making me fall out of my sitting position and lay back down.

I chuckled softly. “Need something?”

“A good morning kiss.” He leaned in real close then and dipped his head, allowing his lips to find mine.

I didn’t resist and happily tasted his lips, pleased that he didn’t have any morning breath. “Mmm…”

“Now this is how I should start every day.” I heard Matthew murmur against my lips and then he captured them once more in a more heated kiss.

I wasn’t going to argue his statement and I accepted his advances, allowing his tongue to find its way into my mouth. Once his tongue slithered past my lips, my tongue found his and we started a delicious duel. I really wasn’t sure how this all happened so naturally, fast, and smoothly, but it had. I’d gone from a single girl afraid to love to practically in a relationship and willing to give love a try again. I hadn’t made out with someone this way since Trevor and now I was beginning to see there could be a light at the end of my broken heart tunnel.

“Mmm..” I moaned, enjoying just how gentle and soft his lips felt. I knew I could get use to his kisses and was already memorizing the way our lips meshed together.

“Mmm…is right.” Matthew breathed deeply, pulling back slowly and giving me a satisfied grin. “I’m so glad you slept over, so we could have this moment now.”

I smiled and cuddled into him, wrapping my arm around him tightly. “Me too. I’ve been having a wonderful time with you.”

“So have I. You’re something special, Everly.” He held me just as tight and dropped a kiss to my cheek. “I think you’re just what I needed before all the real chaos starts happening with my album and tour.”

“Well I can be the calm, when everything else is the storm.” I smirked and pressed a small kiss to his chin. Then I gently rubbed his cheek with my free hand and felt his smooth skin. It was nice to be able to touch someone again and to feel not alone. Plus, it didn’t hurt that he was so touchable and a handsome sight.

He moved his face into the motion of my hand and then let out a soft sigh. “I love the sound of that.” His hand reached up and stopped me from caressing his cheek and he linked our hands together instead. I smiled as he brought our hands over his heart and held them there.

“I thought you would.” He squeezed my hand and I squeezed in return, as I looked up into his blue eyes. They weren’t the exact shade of JC’s, but still a very pretty blue. I couldn’t really complain.

“You hungry?” He asked. “I could find us some breakfast.”

“Sure, what have you got?” I asked and he chuckled.

“Probably some cereal, maybe some muffins. Nothing fancy at all. I could just make a tray and bring it back here to the bed.”

I actually thought that sounded good to me and since I didn’t have to be anywhere this morning, I had no problem waiting to be served and enjoying breakfast in his bed with him. “That is quite alright with me. I’ll take whatever you’ve got.”

He smiled and pressed a kiss to my cheek, before letting go of me and getting off of the bed. Then I watched him exit the room and head to his kitchen. I lay back fully upon the huge mattress that was his bed and sighed in contentment. His bed was slightly smaller than JC’s, but it was just as comfortable. Plus I knew the man who slept in it wanted me. That was definitely a big difference. I patiently waited for Matt’s return and when he stepped back into the bedroom, I sat up. I noticed the tray in his hands had two big bowls of cereal, as well as a bag of donut holes and glasses of orange juice.

“You like Honey Combs?” He asked, with a hopeful smile upon his face.

“Yeah, I do.” I smiled and reached for one of the bowls, along with a spoon.

“Good. I also brought these delicious chocolate donut holes and orange juice, in case you wanted variety.”

“It’s great. Thank you, Matt.” I watched him set the tray down on his nightstand and he joined me on the bed with his own bowl of Honey Combs.

We began eating our cereal in silence, but quickly started up conversation again. Talking seemed to come so easy for us. Which was quite a good thing.

“So you have any plans today?” Matt asked, as he brought another spoonful of cereal to his mouth.

I shook my head, not really having any schedule to follow. “No, today’s just sort of up in the air. What about you?”

He sighed. “Lucky. I have a session with Kris Allen in a couple hours. I’ll have to get ready for the studio soon.”

“Too bad. Otherwise I could’ve spent the whole day with you.”

“That would’ve been nice.”

“Yeah, but you know you’ll enjoy yourself in the studio. That’s so cool that you’ve got another great name working on your album with you.” He nodded his head.

“Yeah, it is. Did I tell you that Elton John accepted my offer to sing a duet with me too?” I gasped then, having not heard the news yet. It was quite an honor and very wonderful news.

“That’s awesome, Matt. Look at you go!” He chuckled.

“I know. I went to one of his parties and asked him like a nervous schoolboy intimidated by his teacher. Yet, he decided to give me the time of day.”

I smiled. “That’s great. I’m glad he said yes to you and that your album really seems to be coming together. I’m looking forward to the release.”

“Me too. It’ll be nice to get feedback and also get out on the road. I want to see a crowd sing my songs back to me.”

I finished my cereal and set the bowl down on Matt’s nightstand, before placing a kiss upon his cheek. “They’ll know all the words. Trust me.”

He smiled and I could tell that my positive words meant a lot to him. It was actually nice to feel important and wanted by someone again. I hadn’t imagined that person to be Matthew, but I was thankful nonetheless.

“You’re good for my spirit and my ego.” He chuckled softly then. “Not that I have that much of an ego, but you’ll make it inflate.”

“I do what I can, but I just speak the truth.” I leaned in and pressed a small kiss to his lips.

He set his empty cereal bowl aside, having finished as well, and then grabbed my cheeks. He gave some of his own affection and planted a longer, more sensual kiss upon my lips. It was really crazy, yet exciting how well and how fast things were happening between us. It was as if we’d been kissing each other for months and months already, though that wasn’t that case.

“I just like kissing you…a lot.” He admitted, breaking the kiss a moment later. His voice was sincere and honest. There was also a cute twinkle in his eye.

I smiled and ran a hand through his hair that needed to be tamed. He still had a case of bed head. “It’s okay, ‘cause I like kissing you too. So we’re even.”

“Good.” He kissed the tip of my nose and then the phone beside his bed rang.

“Let me get this.” I nodded and watched him answer the phone.

I remained by his side as he took the call and listened to his side of the conversation. I could tell it had something to do with work and that Matt wasn’t all too happy. Once he ended the call and put the phone down, he sighed.

“Studio time got bumped up an hour. I guess the studio Kris and I are booked for got double-booked and I need to get in there sooner, so I don’t lose precious time. I asked if we could reschedule, but Kris can’t. So, I guess I need to start getting ready to make my way over there.” I sighed, but understood. In the music industry things could change at the flip of a switch and schedules didn’t remain solid all the time. Seeing as I’d just spent a lot of time with Matthew, letting him go early wasn’t all that big of a deal. I knew we’d probably see each other sooner than later anyways.

“You got to do what you got to do.” He nodded.

“Yeah, I know.” I chuckled.

“Don’t sound so thrilled.”

“I just wanted more time with you.” I smiled.

“I know, but we can get together again real soon.” He gave me a devilish look.

“Like tomorrow?” I pretended to think about it.

“Maybe.”

“I want better than maybe.” I rolled my eyes.

“We’ll see. I know I’ve got work tomorrow and things to do, but I’ll definitely let you know.”

His lips pursed into a satisfied smile. “That’s better. As long as I hear from you.”

“You will.” I assured him and then gave him a warm hug. I allowed my face to land in the crook of his neck and I breathed him in. I placed a gentle kiss to his shoulder and then slowly pulled away.

“I better get going and you better get ready for the studio.” He whimpered as I pulled away, but nodded his head.

“Yeah…you’re right. I’ve got to shower, get dressed, make sure I’ve got everything, and drive over there. It’ll take a little time.”

I stood up from the bed and then I grabbed my purse again, which had been on the floor beside his bed. I reached into it to find my car keys and happened to grab a hold of my phone. I realized I hadn’t checked it since I’d arrived at Matt’s last night and that it had been on vibrate. So I flipped it open and noticed I had six missed calls. I checked to see who they were from, not expecting to be that popular. I was surprised when I saw my sister’s name pop up as the caller of all six missed calls. I hadn’t talked to her in awhile and didn’t know what she could possibly want. I decided I’d call her back once I was home.

“I might have a crisis on my hands. Looks like my sister has been trying to call me. So it’s probably a good thing you have to head to the studio earlier.” I admitted to Matt, watching him finally stand up from his bed.

“Oh…well, I hope everything is alright. Let me know if it’s something serious.” I simply nodded my head and then grabbed my shoes from the floor too. I slid them onto my feet and made sure I wasn’t leaving anything behind.

“I guess, I’m ready to get out of here. Have a good day, handsome. I hope everything goes well in the studio.” I felt him pulled me into a sweet embrace and gave me a kiss for the road. I returned the favor with another sweet peck.

“Bye, Everly. Thanks for last night and this morning.” He released me and gave me a wink.

Then I left his bedroom, as he headed into his bathroom. I made my way out of his place and then headed to my car. I realized that we weren’t official yet, but I knew the girlfriend question was just looming around the corner again. Just maybe he’d ask me the next time I saw him. I felt confident that I had my answer too.



When I arrived back at my apartment, I unlocked the door and stepped inside. Immediately, something was different. I heard a noise and I also smelled coffee. It sounded like someone was in the kitchen and I was afraid to go any further, but I had to look. I closed the door behind me and I braced myself to find an intruder, someone I didn’t know, but was shocked to see who the person brewing coffee in my apartment was.

It was my sister!

She stood there, just shorter than me with her dark hair pulled into a ponytail. She was dressed in a t-shirt and sweat pants and had a mug in her hand, as she poured freshly, brewed coffee into it.

“Aimee?” I called out, confused as to why she was here.

She turned around and her face lit up. “Everly! Where have you been?”

I chuckled. “What do you mean? What are you doing here?”

“I called you like a million times and you didn’t answer. I showed up here and you didn’t answer the door. I had to use my spare key to let myself in. I got in really late last night and expected to see you before now. Where were you? ”

“First of all, you called me six times, not a million. Second of all, I wasn’t expecting you to show up here out of the blue. Third of all, it’s not your business where I was. Now tell me…what are you doing here?”

She laughed. “Please…big sisters tell their little sisters everything. I’ll find out your business.”

I rolled my eyes and grabbed another mug from the cabinet, filling it up with coffee. I sipped some of the hot liquid down, waiting for my little sister to continue. She was only four years younger, but still a small thorn in my side.

“Fine….I’m here because I got tired of New York. I broke up with Noah a couple weeks ago and I just need fresh air, a change of scenery. Plus, I missed you. I’d rather crash here than end up at mom and dad’s again.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” I gave her a sympathetic smile, knowing she’d dated her boyfriend Noah for almost two years.

“Don’t worry about it. I found him at a club all over some socialite and realized I was better off without him. We’d been having issues anyways. I just don’t think I was good enough for him anymore. People change, things happen.” I nodded, realizing my sister had gained some wisdom.

“Well, it’s good to see you get over it so quickly.” I sipped my coffee again. “So how long do you think you’ll be staying with me and do you still have your apartment in New York?”

Aimee shrugged her shoulders. “No clue. I’m just going to play it by ear. Hopefully, you won’t kick me out so fast.” She took another sip of her coffee, before answering my second question. “But yeah, I do still have the apartment, but I might sell it if I don’t feel like returning.”

“I see…” I bit on my lip. “So what are you planning to do out here now?”

“Live the single life, have fun, and see what opportunities present themselves.” I sighed, remembering the last time Aimee lived with me. She’d ended up hanging around a bad crowd of people and clubbing along Hollywood Boulevard way too much. She’d also gotten into a bad relationship with a man way older than her, before finding Noah and moving to New York. Now it seemed that she was over that whole period in her life as well, and ready to see what LA could offer her again. Luckily, she was a little older now and had hopefully learned from past mistakes. I didn’t want to have to hold her hand, considering I now had a lot of stuff going on in my own life.

“Just be smart this time, please.” I urged her and mustered a smile. “I hope you coming back here turns into something positive.”

“Me too.” She grinned. “I really missed you. It’s nice to be back.”

I finally pulled her into a hug, actually pleased to see my sister again. I would’ve liked a head’s up that she was coming to spend awhile with me, but it was all good in the hood. I loved her and wasn’t about to kick her to the curb.

“I missed you too.” I admitted and then she smirked, as she pulled back from my embrace.

“So, where were you?” I sighed, realizing she’d pester me until I answered. “Share your business, Evvie.”

I rolled my eyes at the childish nickname that she used to butter me up. Aimee was the only one who called me that and I wasn’t looking forward to hearing it again.

“Alright…I’ll tell you.” I sighed again. “I spent the night with a romantic interest.”

Her eyes lit up and she squealed. “You had sex?!”

“No!” I quickly shot her down. “It was just cuddling. Sleeping in the real sense of sleeping.”

Her expression turned into disappointment then, but she still pushed on for details. “Oh…but anyways, who is this guy? I didn’t realize you were seeing anyone.”

“It’s a very recent development. We were set up by a mutual friend and things kind of just clicked right away.”

She smiled. “That’s awesome, but who is he? Is he famous? I know you have connections.”

I chuckled and then uttered his name. “Matthew Morrison. He plays the teacher…”

“On Glee!” She finished. “Oh my gosh, he’s hot stuff. Way to go, sister!”

I laughed at her excitement, remembering now just how much my sister could be a teeny and overdramatic.

“So are you like together? He’s your boyfriend?” I shook my head.

“Very close to being, but not yet. He asked me to be his girlfriend, but I told him to ask me again. I wasn’t ready to say yes yet.”

She nodded her head. “Ahh..gotcha. I just hope he asks again because you could totally use someone in your life. It’s been way too long since Trevor.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m feeling good about my love life now.”

“Good. I’m glad.” She grinned and sipped more of her coffee. “Maybe he can set me up with one of his friends. There’s a lot of other cute guys on Glee.”

I shook my head. She was newly single and already looking to mingle. I just hoped she wouldn’t get out of control.

“Let’s just get you settled in first.” She laughed.

“You’re right. I’m just excited to be back.”

I looked over into my living room and then noticed just how much my sister needed to settle in. Aimee had two large suitcases sitting beside my couch, along with a carry-on bag.

“Let me help you unpack everything and then maybe we can go out later. I don’t have any work to do today.”

“Sounds good.” Aimee grinned and she gulped down the rest of her coffee. I could already feel her energy radiating off of her.



Later on, after getting Aimee totally unpacked and ready to stay in my extra bedroom, she decided that she needed to make a trip to Rite Aid. My little sister had forgotten to pack her special whitening toothpaste, along with other toiletries that were pertinent to her daily regiment. She also had ran out of her favorite nail polish and being back in LA, wanted to sport it on her feet in flip flops as soon as possible.

So I decided I’d go with her and we could walk to the location that was closest to my apartment. It was a beautiful day and the weather was pleasant for a leisure stroll with my sister. After making our appearances acceptable, we headed out and started our journey toward Rite Aid. Of course, she started asking more questions right away.

“So, what else is new? You’re still at Divine Threads, right?” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, I am. It’s a great place and I enjoy the clients I have.” She smiled.

“That’s cool. You got any side projects? I know how much you’ve been wanting to branch off.”

“Funny you ask. I actually just got the job as the new wardrobe stylist on America’s Best Dance Crew. In fact, I already styled a photo shoot for Randy Jackson and the judges.”

“No way!” She squealed. “That’s awesome. I love that show, minus Lil Mama.”

I laughed, not surprised by her words. “Yeah, she’s an odd one.”

“She totally is. You’re still friends with JC, right?” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, in fact he helped me get the position.” My sister grinned.

“That’s so sweet of him. I still can’t believe you ever became friends with him, but I guess that’s what happens when you style some of the best in Hollywood.”

“Eh. I suppose.”

“He’s the best judge on ABDC too.” She didn’t have to tell me that, but I grinned and nodded.

“You think he could hook me up with Justin’s digits?” I laughed and shook my head.

“You will not ask him for Justin’s digits. JC doesn’t just hand out information like that. He respects the privacy of his friends.”

She sighed. “Well okay, but if I run into Justin myself, I’m going to get that man’s number for sure.”

“Whatever you say, Aimes.” I shook my head at her again.

“So wait…now you’re practically dating Matthew Morrison, but…do you still have feelings for JC?” I cursed under my breath.

I’d forgotten that my sister knew of the feelings I had for him and I really didn’t need her pressing the issue. I also didn’t need her opening her mouth and causing unnecessary drama. I didn’t want to say too much.

“Actually, JC is the one who set Matt and I up. They know each other from writing music together for Matt’s upcoming album.”

“Oh, that’s cool. See, I knew you had connections.”

“But to answer you.” I caught her eyes with my own, as we kept walking along the sidewalk. “I’m putting any feelings I may have for JC on the backburner. Things with Matt are really looking good and plus, JC is seeing some right now too.”

She nodded, understanding. “I guess that’s good. You can’t just wait around for something that might not happen and Matthew might just end up being better for you.”

It seemed right now that the consensus was that I needed to just take a chance on Matthew. Both Nathaniel and my sister agreed with that, along with JC, which wasn’t surprising. I also knew Lila would tell me the exact same thing.

We continued to walk the rest of the way to Rite Aid and I followed Aimee into the store, once we came upon it. She headed right for the toothpaste aisle and I was right behind her, as she grabbed her special toothpaste off of a shelf.

“Do you need anything for yourself, while we’re here?” I shook my head.

“I’m good. I’m not the one who just showed up at my sister’s apartment without stuff.”

“Yeah..yeah.” She rolled her eyes at me and then walked out of the aisle, into a new one. I followed her and watched her find the nail polish she wanted.

“What color is that by the way?” I asked, curiously.

“It’s called Lustful Lilac.” She grinned, holding up the small bottle of polish that really was a light, purplish shade.

“I wonder who comes up with these names.” I chuckled. “I mean, how does nail polish create lust?”

Aimee just shook her head at me, as if she was embarrassed by her older sister. I didn’t mind because she could be an embarrassing little sister.

“I think I need to grab a package of tampons too. I have a few, but I don’t want to run out with my period coming soon.” I nodded my head, amused by her words of TMI. I hoped her PMS wasn’t as bad as it had been in the past or I’d be dealing with a real bitch in a few days.

“The feminine hygiene aisle is over there.” I pointed to the correct aisle.

“Ohhhh and I bet it’s the same aisle that has the condoms.” She smirked, having a little too much pleasure at the thought.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure it is.” I walked over toward the end of the aisle with her and then she stopped me with her arm. She backed me up, so I couldn’t step into the aisle.

“What?” I asked, confused. “You a wuss to go in the aisle?”

“I can handle tampons and condoms, thankyouverymuch.” She said softly. “It’s just I think I see a very familiar someone.”

“Who?” She whispered then in my ear.

“JC.” My interest was piqued now. What was he doing at Rite-Aid right now in this exact aisle?

“Oh. Is he with someone?” She nodded her head.

“I’m guessing he’s with his new girl. They’re holding hands.” I felt a weird feeling then, even though I didn’t want to.

“Are they by the condoms?” I asked, pretty sure I knew the answer already.

She nodded.

“He looks even better in person than I remember, Evvie.” I rolled my eyes. Now was not the time for her to comment on his looks.

“Would you just grab your tampons?” She chuckled and nodded, before stepping into the aisle, while I headed over to the checkout to wait for her. I didn’t feel like running into JC with his new brunette, especially if they were picking out condoms.

A couple moments later Aimee found me and she had a huge smile on her face. I could just tell she had something to say and was eager to share it.

“First of all, I think you’re prettier than the brunette he was with. Sure, she’s pretty, but not anything special. At least in my opinion.”

“Thanks.” I smiled. “And?”

“Second of all, JC recognized me and I told him I’m back in town.”

“You talked to him?”

“Only exchanged pleasantries. The usual ‘hi, how are you?’ and ‘it’s nice to see you again’.”

I nodded, glad that she didn’t do anything to embarrass herself or me. “Is that all?”

Her annoyingly wide smile returned. “Third of all, I caught a peek of the condoms he had in his hand.”

“Oh great, so he’s sleeping or going to sleep with her.” She chuckled.

“I thought you were going to focus on Matt.”

“I am. I am. Anyways….”

“Anyways…I saw what size condoms they were.” I shook my head.

“You did not!”

“Yes, I did! I dropped my box of tampons on purpose in front of him to get a better look.”

“You did not!”

“Yes, I did.” She was serious and I realized I had an unbelievable sister on my hands.

“You going to tell me what condoms he had?” She looked around, as if she was making sure no one else could overhear and that JC and the brunette were out of sight. Then she spoke into my ear.

“Magnum size.” I had suspected he was packing in that area, but for my sister to confirm it for me was certainly not how I had planned to find out. She giggled then like a little school girl who had just found out a dirty secret.

“First day back here and I’m already getting the good gossip.” I rolled my eyes at her.

“Oh Aimee…just pay for your stuff and let’s get out of here.”

Once we were next in line, she handed over the necessary money to pay and took her bag of items. I was just happy to get out of there and walked back outside with her.

As we began walking back in the direction of my place, my brain became occupied with questions. Just how serious was JC becoming with the new girl in his life? How many times had they slept together? What size condoms did Matt use? Did JC and Matt even compare in that department?

It was silly actually and I tried to erase the questions from my mind, knowing I might never get the answers anyways. Yet, I still had that weird feeling and it moved to the pit of my stomach.

Chapter 15 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
In honor of the Royal Wedding and the end of HMH's reign as a featured story for April, I give all of you fabulous readers a BIG update. :)

 

The next morning, I was afraid to leave my apartment with Aimee back in town. There was no telling what she’d do, while I was busy at work. After yesterday’s discovery of what kind of condoms JC used, I was just waiting for her to dig up more dirt. She could easily find a job at TMZ with the way she gushed about trivial facts on celebrities. I knew she was an adult and all, but I still worried about what kind of trouble she could get into. Plus, Hollywood could be a harsh place and I didn’t want her to get burned. I’d been burned myself and didn’t want to get burned agian. Hence, the reason I’d had a cautious heart after my breakup with Trevor.

Yet, now I felt I could take a chance on love again, knowing Matthew was one of the few good guys. In such a short time, I’d found wonderful potential with him and was looking forward to the future. I’d always wanted a fairytale and to fall so crazily in love. My fingers were crossed that that fairytale would play out sooner than later. I just wanted my love life back in perfect harmony. I wanted to be deliriously happy. I wanted to be in love. I wanted to be loved in return.

I sighed as I pulled into a parking spot outside of Divine Threads. I’d made it out of my apartment with coffee that Aimee brewed for me. I didn’t leave without giving her a fair warning. She laughed at me and told me to just enjoy my day at work. I still wasn’t sure if the laughter was something to be afraid of and I sensed mischief around the corner. I sipped some more of my coffee, as I dragged myself out of my car. She was out of sight and therefore, I had to keep her out of mind. I had work to do.

I made it to my office and was kindly greeted by Lucy. She informed me that Nathaniel wanted my help on something and needed to talk to me as soon as possible. So the first thing I did, after taking a seat behind my desk, was dial the extension to his office. I waited a moment and after a couple of rings, he picked up.

“Hey, is that you, Ev?” He asked, expecting for it to be me.

“Yeah, it’s me. What’s up?” I asked, curious as to what he wanted my help on.

“I just got in a little bit before you and received a message from a client. She changed her mind on the dress I picked out for her. The woman is psycho and I’m afraid she’ll go across town to another stylist, if I can’t find her an even better dress today.”

“Oh, that sucks, but I’d love to help. I’ve actually got some time right now.” I flipped the sheet with my schedule on it, pleased to see I had some time before one of my own crazy clients came in.

“Perfect. I’ll be in your office in five.”

“Sounds good.” I heard him hang up and then waited for him to appear.

Nathaniel stepped into my office and looked dapper as ever. He had on a Giorgio Armani suit that fit perfectly to his thin frame and enhanced his good looks. He also sported a striped tie that had diagonal lines of blue and silver. I was pretty sure it was Armani, as well.

“You’re looking great today.” I complimented with a smile and he did a model pose for effect.

“You know it. I’m feeling like an Armani whore today.” I chuckled.

“Good for you.” He smiled and pulled a chair out, taking a seat across from me.

“So forget about my client for a bit, let’s talk about Aimee’s return.” I gasped.

“How did you find out that Aimee returned to LA?” He pulled his phone out and showed it to me, as if it were obvious.

“She texted me. She also texted that she found out some real good dirt on someone last night, but wanted me to find out from you what it was.”

I shook my head. Nathaniel and Aimee had started a friendship just before she’d left for New York. I should’ve known they still communicated and would share information with each other. They were very similar when it came to things and I could just see them becoming super buddy buddy with her back in LA.

“Did she also tell you that she showed up unannounced at my apartment. I mean, it’s okay and all because I can handle her, but it was still quite a surprise.”

He nodded his head. “Yeah, she told me. She just likes surprising you, Ev.”

I chuckled. “Believe me. She does.” Nathaniel gave me an impatient look then, just waiting for more gossip. He was dying to know what my sister wanted me to share with him.

“So what’s the dirt she found out? Come on, help a man out.” I wasn’t exactly thrilled to share, but did anyways. I didn’t want to be pestered all day, plus I knew I could trust him, even if he seemed to have a big mouth at times.

I sighed, finally letting the words escape my lips. “Okay, so here goes….Aimee found out that JC uses magnum size condoms. We went on a trip to Rite Aid so she could get some stuff and he just happened to be there at the same time.”

Nathaniel let out a big gasp in surprise. “Holy shit! Hot damn! I wasn’t that expecting that to be the dirt.” He shook his head and then let out a delighted squeal. “But my goodness, that’s quite a thing to discover. I always thought he was blessed down there, but it’s nice to have the confirmation.” I chuckled in amusement, as he continued on.

“I swear there’s nothing imperfect on that man. I wish he could lay me down and do me.” He added and I cringed, not wanting to imagine such a thing. I wasn’t keen on the idea of my gay friend having any sexual fantasies that starred a man I still had lingering feelings for. Even if, I was focused on Matt now, I didn’t want everyone and their mother lusting over JC.

“That’s not happening anytime soon.” I told him and he sighed.

“I know, but luckily I still have Pierre in my court. I can’t count him out just yet.”

“That’s good. It’s nice to know you have someone of interest in your life again.” He smiled and nodded.

“Yeah, it is and I’m happy for you too. Matthew seems to be a really great guy and a real good pick-me up for you.” I grinned.

“Yeah, he is. In fact, I slept over at his place the day before last. It was nice waking up in someone’s arms.” Nathaniel grinned.

“Really? Did you sleep with him in the non-PG way?” I chuckled.

“You’re just like Aimee. No, I didn’t have sex with him. It was just sleeping with some real nice cuddling. We did share some great kisses though.”

“Look at you, girl…getting your mack on with Matthew Morrison. I’m still jealous of the hotness you’re surrounded by.” I laughed.

“I didn’t whore myself out for any of it either. All I did was become a fashion stylist, become friends with a well-known guy , and have said guy set me up with another amazing well-known guy.” Nathaniel shook his head then.

“Damn..why wasn’t I lucky enough to get JC the first time he came here?” I shrugged my shoulders.

“Sometimes things just happen for a reason.” I replayed my own words in my head then and realized just how true they were. Had any other stylist been paired up with JC, I might’ve never made the connection or friendship I had with him now. I also might’ve still been stalking him all over LA just to catch a glimpse of my favorite *NSYNCer. Thankfully, I didn’t have to resort to that.

“Yeah…yeah.” He rolled his eyes. “So do you still have feelings for JC or are you entirely infatuated by Matthew now?”

I took a moment, before I responded. “I’m happy with where things are going with Matt and I want to keep seeing where things could go between us. On the other hand, I do still care deeply for JC, but he has a new girl in his life and seems really happy with her. I’m pretty sure he’s having fun in the bedroom with her too. So I’m just going to let fate take it’s course and what will be, will be. It’s possible I’m not even meant for either of them.”

“That’s a pretty diplomatic answer, but I’ll take it for now.” I laughed.

“What did you expect from me?” He tossed his hands into the air.

“Oh I don’t know…maybe that you’re a hundred percent sure you’re falling for Matt?” I sighed, not really having a response for that. I could tell Nathaniel was looking for a confession out of me, but I didn’t have anything I wanted to confess yet. I was still trying to figure out the feeling in my heart, not wanting them to be conveyed prematurely.

“Well, I’ll just take your lack of response for what it is.” Nathaniel winked at me then, as if he understood what was really going on.

“So…what about your client? Shouldn’t we be looking at some dresses now?” I asked and watched Nathaniel stand up, making his way over to the door.

“Nah, I’m good. I can handle her on my own. I just felt like getting some dirt out of you and you delivered it.” I chuckled and shook my head.

“Jerk!”

“Hey, at least I didn’t sell my soul to TMZ.” I gave him a wave and he waved back, before leaving my office.


A few hours passed by and it was almost lunchtime. I was feeling pretty hungry and realized I’d forgotten my lunch at home. I had made a sandwich and packed some fruit, but was almost positive the brown bag was still sitting out on my kitchen counter. I didn’t feel like wasting half of my lunch break to go back and get it, nor did I want to ask Aimee to come bring it. For all I knew she out and about, familiarizing herself with the city again. Before I could contemplate any longer on my lunch dilemma, my cell phone went off.

I fished it out of my purse and smiled, seeing it was Matthew. “Hello.”

“Hey, Everly.” He greeted me on the other line.

“I’m glad to see you call, Matt. What’s up?”

“Well I just hadn’t heard from you yet and was expecting you to call me already.” I chuckled, remembering I had promised him that he’d hear from me today. Though it was only noon, so the man had to give me a break. Apparently, he just couldn’t wait to talk to me.

“Sorry, I’ve been at work and it’s still early in the day.”

“Yeah....you’re right. I just caught a free moment, while I’m on set and thought I’d check in with you.” I grinned, finding it sweet.

“Well I’m doing good. Works fine, but I forgot my lunch. I might have to get takeout or head down the street for a quick bite.”

“Aww, I’d so come over and steal you for lunch right now, but we’ll be filming again in five minutes.”

“It’s okay. No worries.” He sighed into the phone.

“What if we go out to dinner if I get out of here by the evening?” It sounded like a good idea to me, having enjoyed my dinner dates with Matthew.

“That would be nice.” I could almost sense he was smiling, as he spoke again.

“Awesome and if filming runs over, I’ll just have you come over to my place and we can keep ourselves busy somehow.” I chuckled then.

“That works too. As long as we’re together we’ll have a good time.”

“You know it. So…what happened with your sister? You said she called you a bunch of times.” I found it sweet, hearing the concern in his voice and just touched that he cared to ask.

“Thanks for asking. Actually, she’s back in town and going to stay with me for awhile. She surprised me by just showing up at my apartment.” He let a burst of laughter escape his lips.

“That’s classic. Always nice to have people surprising you out of nowhere like that. Hopefully, I’ll get to meet her soon.” I rolled my eyes, glad that Matt couldn’t see my expression. I wasn’t so sure how a meeting would go over between them. I imagined my sister being well…my sister.

“Yeah, we’ll see about that.” He let out a deep sigh and then I could hear voices in the background.

“Hey, I have to get on set for another scene. I’ll call you when I’m done, alright?”

“Yeah, sure, no problem. Go do your thing. I‘ll talk to you later.”

“Bye, beautiful.” He said sweetly.

“Later, handsome.” I closed my phone then, as our call ended.

It certainly was nice to hear from Matt in the middle of the day and put a nice start to my lunch break. I almost didn’t care I didn’t have my lunch anymore, but of course my stomach growled. I opened the top drawer of my desk and found some takeout menus, figuring I could just place an order and go pick it up in a matter of minutes. I found a menu for Chinese and opened it, skimming over the selections. Orange chicken did sound good and the restaurant was only two blocks away. I could make it work.

Yet, my phone decided to ring again and I was stopped from dialing the number for the Chinese restaurant. Instead, I answered my phone and didn’t even check to see who the caller was.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Ev.” I couldn’t help, but to smile hearing JC’s voice.

“Oh hey, JC. What’s up?” I wasn’t expecting a call from him and really wondered what was up.

“Are you on your lunch break? ‘Cause I was just about to take mine and Megan had to cancel on me for lunch. So, I thought of who else might want to join me and I thought of you.”

“Funny you ask because I was thinking of ordering Chinese food. I forgot my lunch at home. Who’s Megan, by the way?” I had never heard him speak of anyone with that name.

“Oh, well…I was going to go to Baja Fresh. If you want to join me you can, but if you’re happy with Chinese, I’ll leave you be.” He then paused for a moment. “You know how I’ve got a girl in my life right now…she’s Megan.”

“Ahh…I see. Well it’s nice to know her name.” I bit on my lip, unsure if I should accept JC’s lunch invitation. I didn’t know if Megan was one of those jealous types and I didn’t want to be labeled anything. Though I was hungry and I did enjoy JC’s company immensely. “I’ll meet you at Baja Fresh. Mexican actually sounds a lot better right now.”

“Sweet. I was hoping you’d accept. I’ll just come pick you up and we’ll go to the one a few blocks from your work.” I grinned, having no problem hitching a ride in his black Mercedes. That car was slick and sexy, just like the man who drove it.

“Sounds great. How far away are you?”

“Maybe ten minutes or so. That’s not a problem, is it?” I checked my watch.

“Nah, no worries. Even if I get back from lunch late, it’s not a big deal. I have a lax schedule for the afternoon.”

“Awesome. I’ll see you shortly, Everly.”

“See you soon, JC.”

I hung up and couldn’t help, but to feel excited. It had been a long time, minus the recent trip to Mel’s diner, since JC and I had gone out together, just us two. He’d rarely invited me to lunch before either, and the few times he had, someone else was with. So it was nice to feel wanted and like I mattered. Not everyone got a random phone call from JC Chasez asking them out for lunch. I felt lucky and so was my stomach. I wouldn’t have to starve.


A little bit later, after enjoying a cruise in the black Mercedes and listening to some smooth jazz, JC killed the engine of his car as we pulled in front of Baja Fresh. The whole time he’d drove, I tried to keep my eyes off of him, not wanting to be too obvious. I swear he decided to dress like a heartbreaker today. He looked so good that my heart wanted to melt. I was happy to get out of the car, but definitely checked him out again, as we both slid out of the car and began walking to the entrance.

He had on dark denim jeans that looked so casual, yet comfortable. They also hugged him in all the right places and I was pretty sure they were tight in a certain region, but didn’t dare look down there. I’d blush if I did. He also had his favorite pair of black Converse sneakers on, that were just plain cute and old school at the same time. As for his upper half, he sported a gray v-neck t-shirt that really showed his chest off. I could see the definition of his pecs and also a light dusting of chest hair, as the v-neck was cut pretty low. Then there was his pair of aviator sunglasses that made him look all Top Gun-ish and extremely sexy and mysterious. I knew once they were off and I could see his baby blues, my heart would pitter patter.

JC held the door open for me, waiting for me to step in, as he let out a chuckle. “You going to go in? I’m not holding this door just for the sake of holding it.”

I realized I must’ve been looking at him too long again and quickly laughed it off. “Yeah, sorry, I just thought you might like playing doorman.”

He shook his head at me. “Dork.”

I stepped into Baja Fresh and headed over to the line to place my order, with JC following right behind me. I took a look at the menu and it all looked so good.

“What are you going to get?” I asked, turning to look at him and noticing he’d slid his sunglasses off. His blue eyes were now free to be admired. My heart rate began to pick up, just as I suspected it would. This wasn’t good. It wasn’t good at all. He was taken and I was on the verge of being Matt’s girlfriend. Why did JC have to be so damn captivating?

His eyes focused onto mine and he grinned. “I usually get the Burrito Ultimo with chicken. It’s so delicious. It’s got peppers, onions, chilies, cheese, salsa, rice, and sour cream.”

Just hearing him list all the ingredients in it made my mouth water and it really did sound delicious. I figured if he recommended it, I had to try it. “Sounds good to me. I’ll have one of those too.”

“Good choice.” He smiled and grabbed his wallet out of his pocket. Then he stepped in front of me and placed the order, not allowing me to stop him. “I’d like two Burrito Ultimos with chicken and also two soft drinks.”

I watched him hand over money and then accept his change, before grabbing the two paper cups for our drinks. He handed one to me with a smile. “Get whatever you want. The drink machine is right there.” He pointed it out to me and stayed back, waiting for our burritos to be ready.

I filled my cup up with lemonade, always a sucker for it. Plus I thought it would be refreshing with Mexican food. Once I had a lid on my drink and a straw, I found a table for two that was vacant and took a seat. I waited for JC and couldn’t help, but to still admire him from afar. He was just that good looking. It was almost as if his looks needed to be illegal. I felt guilty even thinking about it, but Matt wasn’t officially my boyfriend just yet.

JC found me a couple moments later, after he’d grabbed the tray with our burritos and thrown napkins on it, as well as filled up his own cup with his drink of choice. He smiled, taking a seat across from me and ready to dig into his burrito. He unwrapped it from the foil and then let out a soft moan, just happy to even see food in front of him.

“I’ve been waiting all morning for lunch to get here, just for this.” He admitted and I shook my head, unwrapping my own burrito.

“That’s sad, Chasez. I can’t believe a burrito is the highlight of your day.” He chuckled then.

“Well it’s not really…I was just hungry and had a craving for Baja Fresh.” He took a huge bite and swallowed it down, happily. “Mmm..so good. But…really, I’m glad you could join me. It makes this even better.”

I swallowed a bite of my own burrito, finding it equally satisfying. He was right. This burrito was delicious and sure beat the bagged lunch I would’ve had, had I remembered it. “That’s sweet of you to say and thanks for inviting me. This food is so delicious.”

“Told you.” He grinned. “..And your welcome. I just sort of realized that we haven’t hung out all that much lately and it’s silly because you’re such good company. You’re such a good friend and just positive energy. I’m really glad with you working on ABDC now too, that I’ll get to see you even more.”

I didn’t expect those words to leave his lips, but they did and they went straight to my heart. Hearing a man, who I had admired for so long and was still inspired by, say that I was such a good friend to him and that he enjoyed my company was beyond amazing. Plus I didn’t feel like such a stupid fan. I felt like I mattered and he knew that I wasn’t in his life just to take things or get things out of him. He looked at me like just another friend in his life.

“Thank you…that means a lot, JC.” I grinned, finding my voice. “I feel the same way too. I’m glad you ended up bumping into me again.”

“Nothing, but the truth, honey,” He grinned and swallowed down more of his burrito.

I sipped on my lemonade and then found the courage to ask him about Megan. “So, you and Megan…are you like official?”

He was slow to answer, but did with a smile. “Yeah, we are. I’ve actually been seeing her a good three or four months now."

“Oh really? I expected it to be shorter than that.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“I kept it under wraps pretty good. At least for a little bit, I guess.” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, you did.”

“I can be sneaky like that. Things are going great though and she’s pretty into me. I’m trying to break the whole hook-up habit and make this last long.” I nodded my head again.

“Good, that’s good, JC. I’m glad to hear that.” He then formed a twinkle in is eye, as he seemed to remember something.

“Oh….I saw your sister at Rite Aid! When did Aimee come back to town?” I tried to block out the whole scene of Aimee telling me about JC’s condoms in my head, as I answered.

“She just surprised me yesterday. She broke up with her boyfriend and doesn’t want to be in New York right now. So, she’s staying with me indefinitely.”

He smiled. “Cool. I remember her being a cool girl.”

I chuckled. “Ha. Yeah, sometimes she is. Sometimes she’s a pain in my ass.”

“What younger sibling isn’t? Tyler is in Florida right now and still a pain in my ass.” I laughed, knowing that the Chasez brothers definitely had a dynamic relationship.

“True, true.” He finished off his last bite of his burrito and then washed it down with his drink. I watched him wipe his mouth off with a napkin, as well as his fingers.

“She’s a pretty girl though. I bet she’ll find someone else real soon, especially here in Lala Land.”

I processed his words and hoped that they didn’t mean he actually found my sister attractive. I hoped that he just meant she was pretty enough to find another boyfriend. I knew JC was taken at the moment, but I didn’t need him chasing after my younger sister. Not now…not ever.

“Yeah. Aimee is definitely beautiful.” I mustered up a smile and then I swallowed down the last few bites of my burrito.

“Did she tell you that she saw me at Rite Aid?” I shook my head immediately, not wanting him to know I’d actually been in the store with her. I didn’t want him to suspect anything, so fibbing was easier to do.

“No, she failed to tell me.” He simply nodded.

“Ahh…just wondered. It might be nice to get out again to the club sometime and Aimee could join us, along with any other friends.” I wiped my fingers off with a napkin and I smiled.

“That could be fun. Just don’t let me get attacked next time.” JC gave me a sympathetic smile then.

“It still sucks you practically got whiplash by that punk ass, but…maybe you can bring Matthew and he can be your bodyguard.” I laughed.

“If he’s not busy taping Glee or traveling the world on his tour.”

“Well if he can’t come, then I’ll just have to fill in, I guess.” JC said, always willing to be chivalrous. I wondered if Megan would care that he was so willing to watch over the safety of another girl, let alone take a lunch break with me.

“That works for me, Chasez. I already know you’re a bad ass.” He chuckled and then tossed me a gangsta sign, trying to be street.

“You know it.” I chuckled at him in return and sipped on my lemonade again.

JC licked his lips and bit on his bottom lip, before proceeding with another question. “So…you and Matt, are you two official?” I figured he was asking me because I had inquired about him and Megan.

“Close to it, but not yet. He asked me, but I told him to ask me again.”

“Oh..I see. That’s interesting. I’m sure he’ll ask you in a real nice, smooth way , so you don’t turn him down again.” I shrugged.

“We’ll see…”

“But you’re enjoying your time with him, right?” I nodded.

“Yeah, he’s a real sweetheart. Things are going nicely.”

JC glanced at the watch that he wore on his wrist and sighed. “Time’s almost up.”

“Yeah, I should be getting back too.” I said, looking down at my own watch.

“I’m glad though that Matt seems to be a good match for you.” I heard JC say, as he picked up our empty tray of wrappers and napkins. He then left the table and went to toss our trash away.

I knew that JC thought Matt was a good match for me and I though he was a good match too. I couldn’t deny that we had a good time together and there was some chemistry. Yet, having lunch right now with JC, made me question how good of a match Matthew was for me. Could he be everything and more and make me forget that I had been in love with JC for years? Maybe I hadn’t technically been in love with JC for years, but the longer I knew him in real life, the more my love felt real.

Fuck.

Shit.

Stupid, silly heart.

And I told myself that I could push my feelings aside and focus on Matthew.

Worst of all, JC was taken.


Once JC returned to the table, he reached for my hand and helped me stand up. I blocked out any tingles I’d felt, by the touch of his hand. I couldn’t focus on them right now. I just couldn’t. He led the way outside of the restaurant and I walked back to his Mercedes with him. He opened the passenger door for me like a real gentleman and then hopped into the driver’s side. I buckled up and then rested my head against the window, deciding to stare into space. I didn’t feel like drooling over JC again. My heart had already pitter pattered and I didn’t need for him to keep making it race. Once again, JC put on some smooth jazz and he hummed along to the instrumental melodies. I was appreciative of the lack of conversation, not wanting to say much anymore.

Once, JC pulled up to Divine Threads, he turned to me and turned the music off. His blue eyes were vibrant and looked even bluer, if that was possible. He had a huge smile plastered on his face, as well. “Well thank you so much for joining me for lunch. I had a great time.”

I nodded my head, unbuckling my seat belt and looking at him. I couldn’t help, but to give in and really look at him. My eyes seemed to travel from his eyes, down to the v-neck of his shirt. It was hard to not want to reach out and rub my hand over the exposed part of his chest. Yet, I’d be crossing the line if I did and my fingers would probably burn. Literally.

“Everly?” I heard him say my name and I realized I’d done it again. I had to stop looking at him and do more talking.

“Hmmm?”

“Aren’t you suppose to say you had a great time too? Maybe thank me for lunch?” I slowly smiled then and chuckled softly.

“Thank you for treating me to lunch and driving too. I had a great time, JC.”

“Much better.” He smirked and then he leaned in and pressed a kiss to my cheek.

“And your welcome. I’m just happy we’re getting to see more of each other.” I nodded my head.

“Me too. Speaking of……are you still coming in for another outfit soon?” I was amazed I was even able to muster up a question at the moment.

“Oh crap.” He muttered. “That’s right…I forgot to tell you that the event I was going to go to got canceled. So I don’t need another suit right now.”

I nodded. “Ahh…gotcha. No worries.”

“But, you still get to help me look great for ABDC. So you’ll definitely see me at the taping for the first episode, if you don’t see me before then.” He smiled, looking on the bright side of things.

“That’s very true. I do look forward to that.” I grinned. “But, yeah, we both need to get back to work.”

He nodded his head. “Yeah. So get out of my car, Miss Monroe.”

“I am. Chill out, Mr. Chasez.” I smirked, reaching for the door and opening it.

“I’m chill. I’m very chill, honey.” He assured me as he watched me slide out of his car then.

“Thanks again. I’ll talk to you or see you again soon.” I said, taking one last look at him. He was so far off. He was anything, but chill. He was sizzling hot.

“Alrighty, Evers. Take care.” He gave me a small wave and then I slammed the car door shut.

I stepped back over toward the entrance to Divine Threads and watched JC pull away. I certainly had not expected my lunch break to go down like that. I wasn’t sure whether to be thankful or just confused. Either way, I’d enjoyed lunch.



After I got back into my office and took care of a few fittings for some models, I was looking forward to the end of my work day. I wanted to get home and I wanted to see what my sister had been up to. I also hadn’t heard from Matt yet and wondered just how much longer I’d have to wait for his call.

I finished inputting some stuff into the computer and answering some emails, as well as putting away some clothes that needed to be hung back on racks. I tried to assure that everything that needed to be completed today was and time continued to pass by, thankfully. Once I had every last thing taken care of, I checked the time again, seeing that I could leave for the day. Actually, I could leave for the weekend. Hallelujah.

I grabbed my purse and my jacket, making sure I left nothing else behind, and then closed my office door behind me. I saw that Lucy and Nathaniel were both still lingering at the main desk and I quickly waved to them, saying goodnight. I didn’t really feel like telling Nathaniel about my lunch break with JC.

Once I made it down to the parking lot and to my car, I slid right in. I started up the engine and turned on the headlights, as it had gotten pretty dark. I also buckled up and turned on the radio. Though before I could put the car in reverse, to back out of my spot, my phone rang. Luckily, I could hear it over the music on the radio. I quickly grabbed it and saw that it was actually Matt.

“Hey, Matt.” I answered.

“Hi, Everly. Sorry, I’m getting back to you late.” He said, sounding sincerely apologetic.

“It’s quite alright. Don’t worry about it. I just got into my car, ready to head home.”

“Oh well…would you maybe want to just drive to my place?” Matt asked. “I’m on my way home as well and should be there shortly.”

“I don’t know…are you sure you want me to?” I heard Matt chuckle.

“Of course, I do. Plus, I can just heat up some pizza and we can have some beers. I’ve got a six pack in my fridge. We can just keep it simple and you don’t even have to spend the night, if you’re not up to it.” The offer wasn’t that shabby and he did sound like he was looking forward to seeing me.

“Well okay, but do you mind if I quickly go to my apartment first and change?”

“Not at all. Get comfy.” I smiled, glad that I could get into some other clothes.

“Alright, will do. Plus, I need to see what Aimee is up to.” I heard Matt laugh.

“That’s right. Your sister. Hey, why don’t you bring her with? I’d love to meet her.” I wasn’t so sure if that was a good idea.

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah. I mean…she has to be cool if you’re her sister and I’m sure she’d like to meet the man her sister is dating. You have told her about us, haven‘t you?” At his words, I was actually glad I had mentioned Matt to her, or otherwise I’d feel real bad. It sounded like he was really feeling us and wanted, or at least assumed, people close to us would be in the know.

“Oh yeah…she knows. She definitely knows.” I answered, having pulled out of the parking lot and made my way onto the street.

“Cool. Then I’ll expect to see you ladies soon.”

“Yes, you shall.” I said softly, hoping he didn’t hear a sigh escape my lips.

“Great. Can’t wait. See you, Everly.”

“See you soon, Matthew.” I said, before he hung up.

I drove the remainder of the way to my apartment and I knew that my sister was going to be thrilled. There was no doubt in my mind that she’d want to tag along. I was just unsure of what would happen with two Monroe sisters and one Morrison man. I also couldn’t help, but to feel slightly less excited than I should be. I wanted to give Matt a real chance and I knew that we had something between us. I had enjoyed spending the night at his place and sleeping in his arms. I thought he was adorable and genuine and just a list of wonderful traits. I really did see potential for us to be a couple and I had already told myself I’d accept another offer to be his girlfriend. Why was I just having to try so hard to make myself believe it all?


End Notes:
Thanks to all of those reading and reviewing! All comments have been appreciated. Hope to keep the updates coming!
CHARACTER PHOTO PAGE! by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:

Sorry to anyone who looked at this while I was editing. This character page took forever and I didn't even include all the initial photos I wanted. Yet, I hope this suffices and all of you loyal readers get a better idea of the characters. 

I finally decided to do a character page after all and would like to thank Megan for being the most enthusiastic about it. This is for you!

P.S. I may edit/create another if I need to. Still can't find a good "likeness" for Nathaniel. 

 

EVERLY MONROE
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AIMEE MONROE
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MATT MORRISON
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

JC CHASEZ
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MATT & JC
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

ABDC PHOTOSHOOT
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Chapter 16 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:
And so it continues..

 

“Aimee!” I called out my sister’s name once I opened my apartment door. I stepped inside, hoping to find her and in one piece. I smiled, hearing her yell back a moment later.

“In here!” She called from the bathroom. “I’ll be out in a second!”

I waited for her to come out and scanned over my apartment, seeing that everything was still as I’d left it this morning. I was happy to see that she wasn’t messing things up already or trying to dig into my things.

“Hey, sis. How was your day?” Aimee asked, as she stepped out of the bathroom and toward the living room to me.

“Hi.” I gave her a smile. “Work was work, you know? Though I did have lunch with JC and Matt just invited both of us over to his place.”

Aimee’s eyes lit up. “You had lunch with JC!? Does his girlfriend know about this?”

I shrugged my shoulders, honestly not knowing. “Yes, I did. He treated me to Baja Fresh. It was a good time. As for his girlfriend…I’m not sure if he told her. All I know is she had to cancel on him.”

“And you just happened to be her replacement. That’s definitely interesting.” Once again I shrugged.

“I guess.” Aimee smiled widely, continued to be enthralled by my little piece of information.

“I just find it awesome that you were the next person on his mind after her. I think…that has to mean something.”

I didn’t say anything to that, but I did let her in on the invitation Matt gave us.

“Anyways, Matt had wanted to go to dinner, but because shooting ran late, he suggested for you and I to come over to his place for some pizza and beer.”

“He invited me!” She squealed. “You didn’t even have to ask?”

“It was all his idea.” I told her, knowing she’d love that.

“Well at least we know he’s a family man, if he wants to meet me. Probably wants my blessing for him to date my sister.” I chuckled then.

“I think he just wants to meet you. I told him you came back to town.”

“Well I would love to meet him too. Now what am I going to wear?!” She cried out, as if she had to dress to impress.

“Just something comfy and casual. It’s just going to be the three of us chilling out at his place. Plus, you’re not the one dating him.”

She rolled her eyes at me. “Yeah, but I need him to still know I look good, so he can suggest me to his other friends.”

I laughed. “He’s not providing the Matthew Morrison Dating Service.”

“That’s what you think, but JC certainly provided his services, didn’t he?” She tossed me a smug look.

“There’s a difference between being matched up without you asking and throwing yourself at someone for them to match you up.”

I heard silence then, knowing she knew I was right. She walked away from me and stepped back into the bedroom to change into whatever she was going to wear for Mr. Morrison.

I walked into my own bedroom and slipped out of my work clothes, ready to put on something more comfortable. I opened my closet and perused my options, before selecting a simple pink t-shirt and some black track pants. I didn’t care if it seemed too much for the gym and not sexy enough to see my almost-boyfriend. He had told me to dress comfortable and so I was going to.

I also decided to put my hair up and went into my bathroom for an elastic. I tied my light brown locks into a high ponytail and smiled at myself in the mirror. I noticed my makeup wasn’t all that bad either and just made a few quick touch-ups. Then I spritzed on a little of the mango body spray I had, that complemented my mango body wash. Once I was satisfied with my appearance and was all set to go, I stepped out of the bathroom and over to my living room.

I found a pair of sneakers by my front door and decided to slide into them, as Aimee reappeared looking like she was ready for a date or going clubbing. She had on a sparkly, red tank top with a racer back and a denim mini-skirt that was cut too high for my liking. She also had her dark hair hanging loose upon her shoulders and back, looking touchable for any man. Her make up was a little over the top with an array of eyeshadows, mascara, eyeliner, blush, and lipstick. She had it all going on and it pretty obvious how much she wanted to leave an impression on Matt. She was definitely going to.

“I told you to dress simple.” I sighed, reaching for my purse and swinging it over my shoulder.

“Puhlease….who dresses simple when they’re around Matt Morrison?”

“I do.”

She laughed. “Well I hope he loves a girl that looks like she’s ready to workout.”

“I just hope you don’t scare him because you look like a clown.” I smirked, giving her some of her own medicine.

“Yeah..yeah..whatever, big sis.” She waved her hand at me. “You know you love me. I’m going to get you some more dirt tonight.”

The thought of her getting me more ‘dirt’ definitely scared me. There was no telling what she’d discover.

“Come on, Nancy Drew. Let’s get going.” I shook my head at her and laughed. She quickly slid on some heels and followed me out the door.



When we arrived at Matt’s place a little later, I couldn’t help, but to smile when Matt opened the door and let us inside. It was actually nice to be able to introduce my sister to someone I’d been seeing and Matthew did look good, even in casual clothing.

“Hi, Everly. So happy to see you, sweetheart.” He welcomed me warmly, pulling me into a hug, as well as placing a kiss to my cheek.

“Happy to see you too.” I said softly and hugged him tightly, while breathing him in.

“Alright, break it up…break it up.” Aimee chuckled behind us, waiting to be introduced. I sighed and rolled my eyes, pulled back from Matt’s embrace.

“Matt, this is my lovely, younger sister Aimee. Aimee, well you know who he is.” A soft chuckle escaped Matt’s lips and then he greeted her with a hug as well.

“It’s nice to meet you, Aimee. Everly was telling me you came back to stay with her for awhile. Nothing like sisterly love.”

Aimee beamed. “So nice to meet you too, Matthew.”

“The pleasure is all mine. So, why don’t you lovely ladies come over to my living room? I’ve got a large cheese pizza and some beers waiting for us.”

“Sounds good.” I smiled at him and then followed him to the living room, with Aimee following as well.

“Take a seat on the couch, the recliner, or even the floor. Anywhere’s fine and help yourself to the food.” He instructed as he plopped down onto the couch himself. I decided to sit right beside him on the couch and Aimee went for the recliner that was a little ways from us, after grabbing some pizza and a beer.

I grabbed my own pizza, putting two slices on a plate. I also reached for a beer and uncapped it, before indulging in a sip.

“Mmm, this is nice.” I said, looking at Matt. “Thanks for inviting us both over and keeping it simple.”

He swallowed down a bite of food and then smiled. “No problem. I figured we could all relax.”

“And you definitely look comfortable.” I eyed him, in a white t-shirt and some black sweat pants. He looked like he could’ve just gotten out of the shower before we arrived.

“So do you, Everly. I love seeing a girl in normal stuff and not always dressing up.”

“Thanks. Tell that to my sister.” I then heard Aimee join in.

“Hey!” Matthew’s laughter then filled the room.

“Girls…girls. You both look great…in your own ways.” Aimee grinned then, pleased that Matt was defending her. I figured he didn’t want her to dislike him already.

“See..I knew he’d appreciate my outfit, Ev.” I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

“She is certainly something else, Matt. Excuse her ridiculousness.” Matt laughed again.

“It’s quite alright. It keeps things interesting.” Matt smiled at Aimee then. “And I’m sure if we were in a club right now, you’d be picking up guys for days.”

“Thank you.” She beamed. “So you like my sister a lot, huh?”

I knew these types of questions were going to come up and hoped they didin’t get too awkward.

Matt nodded his head and I continued to chew on my pizza, listening for his response. “ Yes, yes I do. I think your sister is so beautiful and refreshing. She’s not like every other girl in Hollywood and I definitely dig that. Plus she just has this warm spirit about her.”

I couldn’t help, but to blush at his words then and noticed the huge smile on Aimee’s face. She was just as satisfied with his answer.

“That’s really great. I’m just asking that you treat her well. I don’t want Everly’s heart getting broken again.” He nodded his head at my sister’s words.

“Oh trust me…I’m not planning on doing that.”

“And if you do…I know where you live now.” She teased him with an evil laugh.

He laughed. “I’ll take that into consideration.”

“And I don’t know if Everly told you, but I’m a big Glee fan too. I think your show is just beyond awesome and so are a bunch of your cast-mates. Could you maybe hook a sister up?”

I shook my head. “She has this notion that you’re going to set her up with someone.” I explained to Matt, looking into his eyes. I knew that he knew I was serious.

“Well Aimee…” He looked at my sister, hesitating. “…I don’t think it’s my place to just hook you up with someone and I’m not even privy to all of my cast-mates love lives. So I can’t even say for sure who’s truly single, but…what I can do is invite you to a taping sometime and let you meet the other guys.”

“Oh my god!” She squealed and almost fell from the recliner “I’d love that! Thank you…thank you.” I was just glad she didn’t have pizza in her mouth or she might’ve choked. I wasn’t expecting for him to offer her a trip to the Glee set, but it was better than just telling her she could have a date with Cory Monteith or Chord Overstreet. At least she could meet them in the flesh first.

“She can be a teeny.” I smirked at Matt and he just smiled, not that bothered by Aimee. Apparently, he’d dealt with crazier girls than my sister or he had a high tolerance for screaming girls.

“I’ll let you know when the best taping is for you to drop by, Aimee.” Matt assured her and I watched him sip on his beer.

“Sweet. Everly can just give you my number.” I chuckled, finding it weird then that I had to give my sister's number to Matt.

He nodded his head, placing his beer back down on the coffee table. “So, you came back to LA from New York?”

Aimee nodded her head. “Yeah, I had gone to New York to get away from here and find love. Which I did, but my boyfriend and I just broke up. Actually, I broke up with him, but anyways…I figured I could crash with Everly and see what’s shaking in LA again.”

I realized how much of the conversation we had going on was between my sister and Matt, but it was nice to see them talking. If I was going to date Matt, they did need to get along.

I watched Matt smile at my sister’s response and bob his head. “Well there’s definitely always something happening in LA. Hopefully you find what you’re looking for here. I’m actually from New York, so I have a place there too. I sort of hop between the two places, but I’ve been in LA a lot more lately with filming Glee and working on my album.”

“That’s cool.” She smiled at him. “I really do love both places, but I just needed out of New York for right now.”

“And to be a pain in my ass.” I added with a chuckle.

Matt glanced at me and then smiled. “I’m already liking the dynamic you two girls have. I bet it was good times growing up together.”

“Oh it was and some of us are still growing up.” I directed my glance at Aimee and she rolled her eyes, before smiling again.

“Everly is the best sister I could’ve ever asked for, in all honesty, Matt. We like to get smart with each other, but it’s all in fun. I love her.”

I was touched by her words, not expecting her to get serious at that moment and smiled. “Thanks. I love you too, Aimes.”

“Awww…I can just feel the love.” Matt cooed. “This is precious.”

I watched Matt set his empty plate down then and he pulled me into his lap. I wasn’t expecting it, but I didn’t fight it either. I could use the closeness, plus I knew my sister would appreciate seeing the affection between us. I got comfortable in his lap and then leaned into him, as his arms wrapped around me.

“You two are cute together. A great looking couple.” Aimee gushed.

Matt grinned. “I’d have to agree with you, Aimee.”

I smiled at Matt and pressed a kiss to his cheek, which elicited an ‘awww’ from my sister. I shook my head at her.

“It’s just so great to see Everly smiling again over a guy. I’m just thankful that JC set you two up.” Matt nodded.

“Me too. JC has great instincts and I’m glad I could put a smile on your sister’s face again.” I couldn’t help, but to feel a slight change in my heart rate over the mention of JC, but I tried my best to ignore it. I was in Matt’s lap and happy being there.

“Speaking of JC….” I found my voice, calming down. “he mentioned to me today that it would be nice to go clubbing soon and for everyone to get together. He even said I could bring you as my bodyguard.” I turned to look at Matt then with a smirk.

Matt grinned. “Of course, I’d love to protect you from all the crazies in the club. That’s a good idea.”

“That would be so much fun.” Aimee grinned. “I really do want to go clubbing and being surrounded by JC’s posse and Matt’s posse would be cool.”

“Do you have a posse?” I asked, jokingly at Matt. He chuckled.

“If you consider all the Glee kids my posse, then sure. I could probably invite them too and see who’d be interested.”

“That’s sounds good, but you should probably see when JC wants to go and all that. I’m sure you two have busy schedules that have some conflicting evenings.”

He nodded and pressed a kiss to my jaw.

“You’re right. I should probably talk to JC, but I’ll see him in the studio in a few days. We’ve got another song that needs some last minute tweaking. I’ll talk to him then.”

I simply nodded my head and then I watched as a wicked grin spread across my sister’s face. I could just see the wheels in her head turning and I was waiting for her to say or do something crazy.

“Hey, Matt?” She piped up. “May I use your restroom?”

“Sure, Aimee.” He pointed down the hall. “Just walk to the end of the hall and it’s on the right.”

“Okay, thanks.” She slid off of the recliner then and settled her empty beer bottle on the coffee table, before making her way down the hall. I was actually surprised she didn’t pose an awkward question that time.

“Now that she’s gone, we have a moment to really kiss.” Matt grinned and turned my head, so he could plant a warm, sensual kiss upon my lips.

I moaned in delight and savored the feeling, glad that we had a chance to steal real kisses. “Mmm…much better.”

“Indeed.” He murmured and his lips moved against mine in need and want.

I brought my hands up to his face and cupped his cheeks then, continuing to kiss him. He was equally enjoying himself, letting our lips continue to mesh together.

I had to admit it was nice to kiss him and I had enjoyed our kisses so far. There was something so nice about kissing someone again and feeling wanted. I really did just have to go with the flow. I had to remember to live in the moment and not worry about what I couldn’t control. What I could control though was making things official with Matt and keeping our budding relationship going.

We finally pulled back from our kissing session, once Aimee returned from the bathroom. She let her presence be known.

“Get a room.” She giggled and took a seat upon the recliner again. I felt Matt break our kiss and he had a look of a little boy who’d been caught, upon his face. I couldn’t help, but to find it adorable and laugh.

“I see how it is…when the cat’s away..the mice play.” Aimee added, with more giggling. My sister certainly was a teenager trapped in a twenty-something’s body.

“Yeah…yeah.” I rolled my eyes at her and then put one more peck against Matt’s lips.

We continued some more small talk for a little while, with Matt laughing at my sister’s jokes and me just glad that he didn’t mind her antics. We also talked about things happening in his career and also dirt from his past. Apparently, he’d been engaged once to a soap actress and the girl had broken it off with him. He was totally over it though and looking forward to the future. It was nice to see that he had moved on from a past lover, the way I was moving on from Trevor.

A yawn escaped my lips and I was growing tired, knowing I didn’t have much left in me. It had been a long week and I was glad for it to be over.

“Sleepy, huh?” Matt cooed in my ear. “Better get on home then.”

I yawned once more and nodded my head. “Yeah, I’ve really enjoyed myself and I’m sure Aimee has too, but I’m just really tired right now.”

He nodded, in total understanding. “Well before you go though, you think we could have a moment alone?”

“I’ll let you two have a moment alone.” Aimee chimed in, having heard Matt’s words despite them being spoken to me.

“I’m getting tired, as well. I’ll wait for you in the car, Everly.”

I watched Aimee stand up then and I slid off of Matt’s lap, so that he could say goodbye to my sister.

“It was lovely meeting you, Aimee. I will definitely be seeing you again soon, I hope.” Matthew gave her a hug and Aimee returned it.

“Likewise, Matthew. I’ll be looking forward to that visit on the set of Glee, as well.” She winked at him. “But thank you, I had a nice time tonight.”

“I’m glad.” He simply said and opened the door for her, allowing my sister to leave me and Matt alone for a moment.


“You’ll have to excuse her.” I said immediately, as Matt joined me back on the couch.

“Oh no worries. She seems like a nice girl, Ev. I don’t have any problem with her, but she came in here trying to impress the wrong man with that mini skirt and makeup.” I laughed then.

“Oh yeah? Is that so?” He nodded his head.

“Yeah, because I’m taken. Well..like ninety-five percent taken.” I grinned.

“And how come you’re not a complete one hundred percent taken?” He dropped a kiss to my cheek and then another to my jaw.

“ ‘Cause I have to ask you to be my girlfriend again.” I felt my cheeks grow warm and I knew they’d reddened with a blush.

“So, then…are you going to ask me now?” He didn’t say a word though and got up again, heading into his kitchen. I waited for him to return and when he did, he had a bouquet of a dozen red roses in hand.

He smiled, as he sat down beside me again and then held out the roses to me. “These are for you, pretty girl.”

“Thank you.” I smiled, touched that he would buy me flowers. It had been a long time since anyone had given me flowers. I breathed them in, smelling the fresh, floral scent.

“Your welcome. Now I would just like to say that you’ve become such a wonderful addition to my life and I’ve enjoyed every moment with you. To me…you’re everything I’ve been looking for in a girl and I just would love to prove to you that I can be you’re everything too. So, Everly, would you please be my girlfriend?”

His words were sweet and his plea was very nice as well. I could see in his eyes that he wanted me to give him the answer he was looking for and I felt ready to give it to him then. I enjoyed the feeling of being romanced and feeling like I was being courted in a proper way. Matt truly was a gentleman and he had so many characteristics that I wanted in a man. So I decided to go with the flow after all…

“Yes.” I smiled. “I’d be happy to be your girlfriend.”

He smiled widely and then he pressed a kiss to my lips, in celebration.

“And you want to be my boyfriend, right?” I quipped, against his lips.

“Absolutely.” He murmured and kissed my lips with even more hunger.

We continued to kiss a little longer and then pulled away breathlessly. I couldn’t help, but to see how happy Matt was and how swollen his lips were. It was amazing to know I’d caused both things.

“I….need to go..Aimee’s waiting..” I said softly, lifiting myself up from the couch then and Matt nodded, standing up with me.

“Yeah, let me get the door for you.” I nodded and grabbed my bouquet of roses, before following Matt over to the door. We looked at each other again, smiling and then he put one more kiss upon my lips.

“Drive home safely and I’ll talk to you real soon, girlfriend.” He spoke sweetly and I nodded with a smile.

“I will and you take care too, boyfriend.” As soon as the word left my mouth it really hit me. I was really Matthew Morrison’s girlfriend now. I hadn’t called anyone my boyfriend in quite awhile, but it was nice to be able to do it once again.

“Good night.” He pecked my cheek.

“Good night.” I waved at him and then stepped outside the door.



Once I hopped into my car, Aimee looked like she was bursting at the seams. She had a Cheshire cat grin upon her lips.

“Matt gave you roses?” I looked at the bouquet in my hand and then settled them upon the backseat.

“Yeah, he did. It was really sweet of him.” She grinned.

“I’d say it was.” She continued to grin and I knew she was still dying to share something.

“What?” I asked, buckling up and turning the key into the ignition.

“I did some detective work and I found some dirt on Matt for you.”

I looked at her confused. “What are you talking about? I saw you the whole time.”

She laughed. “You didn’t have your eye on me when I was in the bathroom though.”

“Aimee….what did you do?” I asked, sighing as I started up the engine, ready to make it home so I could sleep.

“Well…I used the bathroom, first. I really did have to go, but something else came to mind. I thought maybe I’d search around any cabinets or drawers and see what condoms I could find, if any.”

I gasped then and shook my head, turning out onto the main road, hoping I wouldn’t crash my car at her revelation.

“What the heck, Aimes? Are you like the condom hunter now?” She laughed.

“Anyways…I did a little digging and I even kept the sink running so you two wouldn’t hear me opening and closing stuff.” She grinned, proud of herself. “….and at the bottom of the one drawer, I found a secret stash of condoms. They were hidden under a bag of cotton balls and a bag of Q-tips.”

“You’re a natural, Sherlock. Just tell me what kind they were.”

I watched her pull out a small packet then and she grinned widely. “Ribbed for extra pleasure.”

“You took a condom!” I cried out, not sure if I was more surprised that she’d taken one or that it was actually ribbed for extra pleasure.

“It’s not a big deal, Everly. He had like twenty more.” She waved her hand at me.

“But I find it interesting that you’ve got one guy who uses magnums and another who might not be as big so he’s making up for it with ribbed ones.”

I couldn’t help, but to laugh at that though. She was right. I didn’t expect to find out information on either man’s condoms, but having it was definitely interesting.

“So who do you want more?” Aimee asked. “And forget that JC has a girl. You want ribbed for extra pleasure or magnum man?”

It was then my turn to surprise her. “Actually, there’s no decision to be made.”

“What do you mean?”

I bit on my bottom lip and divulged the news. “After you left us alone, Matt asked me again to be his girlfriend. I didn’t turn him down this time.”

“You said ‘yes’!” She squealed.

“Mmhmm. I told him ‘yes’. I’m officially his girlfriend.”

“That’s awesome, Everly. I’m happy for you. I really am. I hope it just turns out well.”

I hoped it turned out well too. I felt good about my decision and hoped I’d made the right one.


End Notes:
Thanks again to everyone reading!
Chapter 17 by harmonysparkle
Author's Notes:

Sorry this one took longer than I planned to get out...and it might be a little rushed, but it is longggg. Enjoy! FYI: May 7th was the 7yr anniversary of when I saw JC in concert. ;) How time flies..

 

Monday morning rolled around once again, forcing me to begin the work week. Though I had enjoyed my weekend, seeing as I had just become Matthew Morrison’s girlfriend. We ended up meeting yesterday for breakfast at a cozy, little café and then took a stroll, basking in the wonderful weather. It had been a nice time and had felt like a ‘coming out’ celebration to me. It was official now and we didn’t have to play stupid games or hold off on our feelings. I was beginning to feel even more sure of everything and happy I had someone in my life again. It was nice to know that I could call Matt up when I needed him or just wanted to talk and that we could see one another when our schedules allowed.

So when I settled at my desk, I couldn’t help, but to smile, knowing my life had recently gotten better. Plus, I had a feeling that I’d be hearing from Matt. He just came off as one of those sweet guys that called his girlfriend every or every other day to just check in with her or make plans.

“Everly! I heard the news, honey. Congratulations!” Nathaniel came into my office, catching me off guard with his loud, excited voice. I quickly looked up from a memo that I had just began to read and my eyes widened at him.

“News?” I asked and then it dawned on me. “You mean Matthew and I?”

He nodded his head. “Yes! Aimee texted me that you two are totally girlfriend and boyfriend now. She also divulged his type of condoms too.”

I sighed and started shaking my head. It was nice to know that my sister and my friend were both excited about my love life and cared about me, but they were unbelievable. It was like having my own two-person gossiping fan club.

“Oh my sister…I should’ve known she’d tell you.” Nathaniel laughed.

“But you love us both. Admit it.” I just nodded my head.

“I’m really happy for you, seriously. Plus it doesn’t hurt that when you do sleep with him, you’ll get some ‘extra’ pleasure.” Nathaniel continued on with a smirk.

“I’m not planning to sleep with him anytime soon. You know I don’t just hop into bed like that.” I assured him. “…And I’d appreciate it if you keep the condom information to yourself.”

“You mean I can’t sell this tiny tidbit of information to People?” I chuckled, unable to help myself.

“Sorry, Nathaniel. Lips sealed, please.” He nodded his head and then moved his thumb and index finger along his lips, as if he were sealing them shut.

“Thank you.” I smiled and watched as Nathaniel still stood in my office.

“You know…..you might want to reconsider that whole not hopping into bed thing. I googled Matthew before I came in here and there were some real steamy pictures of him that popped up. His body is on fire and his abs make me wish I could run my own fingers down them.”

I wasn’t sure whether to be creeped out that Nathaniel was checking out my boyfriend or pleased that he approved of Matt’s physique. I actually had yet to see what was under Matt’s clothing, but hearing Nathaniel’s words made me curious and I knew if Nathaniel thought his body was on fire…it really had to be blazing.

“I’ll just keep that in mind. Thanks, Nathaniel.” I tossed him a wink then and he smiled, before merrily going on his way.


When the afternoon rolled around, I had managed to style three clients and leave all of them happy. It was rewarding to see all of their smiles and hear their words of satisfaction. Plus, I had to admit, I made everyone look great. It was just in my blood.

So, when I was able to eat some lunch at my desk, I felt it had been earned and it gave me a moment to relax. I opened my bottle of juice and unwrapped my sandwich from some plastic, before partaking in my mini feast. My phone rang after I had consumed half of my sandwich and I quickly answered it, after clearing my throat.

“This is Everly.” I smiled into the phone.

“Hi, sweetheart. It’s Matt.” His voice was warm and he sounded happy.

“Hi, handsome. What’s up?” He started to chuckled softly, as if he had something up his sleeve.

“I was just thinking about how you told me that you could cook. Well, now that I’m your boyfriend, I think I’d like to see these skills in action and taste whatever you’re willing to make. So…how about you come over tonight and make me dinner?” I couldn’t help, but to laugh and tease him.

“Oh so you called me because you need me to make you dinner, not because of anything else?”

“No! No it’s not like that. Of course, I wanted to hear your sweet voice and I do want to see you. It’s just, I thought I might be able to get you to cook for me.”

“It’s fine, Matt. Really it is. I’m just messing with you. I’d love to cook you dinner and come over to your place.” I could just imagine his smile then, as he got the answer he wanted.

“Good. I really can’t wait to see you and have dinner. Thanks for agreeing to it.”

“No problem. I’m looking forward to it too.” I realized I needed to come up with the food I was going to prepare. “Anything you really want me to make? I could stop at the grocery store on my way home from work.”

“I don’t know. Just surprise me. I’m sure I’ll enjoy whatever you make, Everly.”

I smiled at the confidence he had in my cooking, without even trying it yet. “Okay, then you’ll just be surprised. What time should I come over?”

“How about…7 o’clock? I know it’s a little late, but I’m at a tour rehearsal right now and don’t want to give you a time that’s too early.”

“Don’t worry about it. That’ll give me enough time to grocery shop and get ready, once I finish work.”

“Well great…then it’s settled. I’ll see you at 7 o’clock.” I grinned, happy to have another plan with my boyfriend.

“I’ll see you then.”


After my phone call with Matthew, I was feeling even better and glad I could share dinner with him. I was confident that he’d enjoy my food and that he’d probably want me to make him dinner again in the future. Which if everything kept on track the way it was, I could see us sharing those future dinners.

I quickly finished the remainder of my lunch and then got back to work, pulling some great outfits for more of my clients. The more I worked my fashion magic, the faster time seemed to tick and the closer I was to seeing Matt. I felt a little giddy just at the thought and was even more excited when I completed my last task for the day.

I made sure that I had everything cleaned up for the day and that my desk was in order, before I grabbed my things and made my way out of my office. I spotted Nathaniel talking to Lucy at the front desk and he happened to glance at me as I walked by.

“Have a goodnight, Everly.” I caught the smile on his face and smiled in return.

“Oh I will…I’m cooking dinner for Matt tonight.”

“Look at you go, girl. You wine and dine him.” He then winked at me. “Make sure to give him some dessert too.”

I couldn’t help, but to laugh and then nodded my head, as I made my way out of Divine Threads.

Once I was in my car, I decided I was going to stop at Whole Foods, since it was on my way home and they had some of the best ingredients to work with. I knew I’d find just what I needed there to make a delicious dinner. I had chicken in mind, as well as a side dish or two, plus something chocolaty for dessert.

I arrived at Whole Foods after a short drive and grabbed myself a small basket with handles as I stepped into the store, knowing I wouldn’t need a whole cart. I wasn’t expecting to buy anything, but the ingredients I needed for my immediate dinner with Matt. I walked over to the produce section first, taking a look at the variety of fruits and vegetables they had. So much of it was organic and/or exotic, as well as colorful and extremely fresh.

It dawned on me that I could prepare a salad to eat with our chicken and so I found some romaine and ice berg lettuce, as well as spinach. I picked out some of each and bagged it up in separate bags with twist ties. I also found some cherry tomatoes already packaged and put them in my basket, along with a red onion that I could chop up. Then I perused the fruits and I found some raspberries and blackberries, that I could use for the dessert portion of our meal.

Content with my produce selections, I made my way over to the meat and poultry section, ready to find the right kind of chicken. I noticed some chicken cutlets that looked lean and like the right size. I grabbed a package of them, knowing we wouldn’t eat all of it, but that Matt could keep the rest. I figured that I would make chicken piccata then, since it wasn’t all that hard to make and I loved lemon sauce and white wine with chicken.

I grabbed more of the ingredients I’d need and found myself in the aisle with condiments and dressings, looking for a vinaigrette for the salad. There were so many different kinds and since I was already going to use raspberries in the dessert, I decided against a raspberry vinaigrette. Instead, I finally settled on just a classic balsamic vinegar dressing and tossed it into the basket, which was slowly getting heavier on my arm.

I made my way out of the aisle and to the next aisle where they had a bunch of different pastas and rice. Some rice would be a nice complement to the chicken and provide another side dish. So I found a small pre-packaged box of rice, figuring I could just add some butter and seasonings to it. All I had left really was the dessert and since I had found some fresh berries, I knew I wanted to use them for a topping. They’d go great on top of a chocolate cake or chocolate mousse.

I smiled to myself, happy with how the menu for tonight’s dinner was coming along and that the shopping wasn’t too difficult either. I made my way further down the aisles, looking for the one that had baking items and came to it a moment later. I stepped into the aisle and spotted a man reading a box, that had to be cake or cookie mix of some sort.

I could tell right away just who it was, as he stood there with his sexy stance and well put together self. Plus, he wore another fedora that was completely black. It was JC. I was surprised to see him, not expecting to just bump into him here. I wasn’t sure whether to just keep my mouth shut or if I should talk to him, but I just couldn’t not say hello. So I walked down to him and smiled.

“Hey, JC.” I watched his head whip back and his eyes moved from the box on to me.

“Everly.” He said, recognizing me and forming a smile upon his lips. “Fancy meeting you here.”

I chuckled. “I could say the same thing.”

He eyed the basket of food I was holding and looked at me curiously. “What’s all the food for? You and Aimee?”

I shook my head. “No, it’s for Matt and I. He asked me to cook him dinner tonight and so I’m preparing a great meal.”

“Ohh…I see.” He grinned. “So you’re going over to his place for a romantic dinner, huh?”

“That would be the case.” I smiled. “I actually came to this aisle to find a dessert mix.”

“Yeah, I was just looking at these cookies.” He held up the organic chocolate chip cookie mix that was in his hand.

“You going to bake them yourself?” I teased, knowing that he didn’t have any cooking or baking skills to boast about.

“Haha.” He rolled his eyes at me. “Maybe…I could try.”

“Mmhmm.” I reached for a mix that made chocolate mousse without all the fuss and it was low-fat and sugar-free. I wasn’t too concerned about cutting every little ounce of fat or gram of sugar, but I was in Whole Foods after all.

“Okay, so maybe I’ll have someone else bake them for me.” He admitted and I tossed him a smile.

“That’s what I thought. Lila has told me stories about baking you cookies in the past.”

“I use my friends in useful ways.” He shrugged. “But, I was thinking my girlfriend could bake them.”

“Oh yes…that’s true.” I said, softly and lowered the mix of the mousse mix into my basket.

“Going to make some chocolate mousse for Morrison, eh?” I looked at JC and saw the smirk on his face. “It’s pretty sensual stuff, you know?”

I couldn’t help, but to laugh. “And you know all about sensual desserts, Chasez.”

“I know they taste good.” He winked.

I laughed again and then noticed a pretty brunette with a shopping cart, enter the aisle. She had a petite frame and was on the short side when it came to height. She also looked very much in shape and wore some black yoga pants, along with a tank top that looked to be made of spandex. Her dark hair was also pulled back in a sleek ponytail. I eyed her more carefully and realized who she was, just as she opened her mouth. She looked very much the same as she had looked in the pictures.

“Josh, here you are! Did you run into another fan?” She eyed me carefully then and I glanced at JC, waiting for him to answer.

He shook his head. “ This is my friend Everly. The one who I told you got the job as the ABDC stylist.”

“Oh okay.” She smiled and I wasn’t sure if it was fake or genuine.

“And Everly, this is my girlfriend, Megan.” JC finished off the introduction and I mustered up a smile.

“It’s nice to meet you, Megan.” I put my hand out and waited to see if she’d shake it.

She returned the handshake a second later. “You too.”

She looked at JC then and glanced at the cookie mix in his hand. “Do you know how many calories are probably in those cookies? I already am allowing you to have some steak and you know that’s high in cholesterol. I don’t even eat meat and I’m being kind about it just for you.”

I listened to the words she spoke to him and I gathered that Megan was a vegetarian, as well as very into nutrition. Which made sense, since JC had told me she was a personal trainer, but still. Did she really have to yell at a man who was lean and worked out a lot? Plus, I was pretty sure some extra calories were not going to hurt him or make him gain thirty pounds. JC had always been physically fit and his metabolism kept him thin and able to eat what he wished. I just found her words unnecessary and as if she thought he was a little child who needed guidance. If I were her, I’d let him eat whatever he wanted.

“I just want some cookies.” He pouted and I didn’t know how a grown man could get away with it. Yet, JC was always an exception and he appeared adorable with his pouting lips.

I watched as Megan stood on her tippy toes and managed to bring her face up to his, planting a quick kiss to his lips. I tried to not have any reaction to it, even though it wasn’t a sight I wanted to see.

“Fine, you can have the cookies. “ She sighed and then rubbed his cheek, before taking the cookie mix from him and throwing it into the cart. “I’ll even let you eat them in bed and then you can enjoy some other dessert.”

I couldn’t help, but to cringe at those words and quickly turned my head, not wanting my expression to be caught. I wasn’t one to just form an opinion right away of someone else’s relationship, but it seemed to me like theirs’ was based around the gym and the bedroom. In my opinion, relationships had to have more substance and function everywhere.

“You know I love that kind of dessert.” I heard JC’s low tone and imagined him giving Megan a suggestive look. I didn’t turn to look at them for another moment and sighed.

“Well, I should get going so I can get ready for Matt and then head to his place.” JC looked at me and nodded.

“Yeah, don’t want to be late or keep that man waiting. A hungry man likes to be fed.” I grinned and then heard Megan chuckle.

“That’s for sure. Josh, here…likes to whine if I haven’t fed him enough.” It rubbed me the wrong way that she kept referring to him as Josh. I knew only his family and some close friends called him that and in my mind, it was reserved only for those who seriously knew him and loved him. I didn’t even call him that, except for once or twice in playful admonishing. Plus she’d only known him a few months.

“I do not.” JC rolled his eyes and Megan just ignored him and looked at me.

“So you’re talking about Matthew Morrison, right?” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, JC set the two of us up and we’ve still been seeing each other.”

“Oh yeah…well that’s wonderful. I hope he treats you just as good as Josh treats me.”

I nodded. “I think he’s been treating me pretty well.”

“So how close are you two to becoming a couple?” JC asked, stopping his girlfriend from speaking again.

“Funny you ask.” I smirked “ He asked me to be his girlfriend yesterday and I accepted. So we’re officially boyfriend and girlfriend.”

“That’s awesome, Evers!” JC grinned and sounded truly delighted by the news. I expected him to be, seeing as he’d been the one to make this whole thing happen in the first place.

“Thanks. I think it’s awesome too. I really like him.” I looked at Megan and noticed a smile upon her face. I assumed she was just happy to hear the news that I was taken and not going to steal her boyfriend. I already sensed something off about her and I knew that most of JC’s past girlfriends had had jealous tendencies.

“Yeah, he’s a great guy. The two of us have become good friends outside of the studio too. We’ve been to a few events together, as well.” JC added and continued to smile. “I’m happy that there’s something between you two.”

I looked at my watch and realized I really did need to go pay for my groceries and get ready for the evening. “I really should get going for real. You two have a nice night as well.”

“Okay and we will.” JC quickly gave me a half hug and then Megan gave me a wave.

“It was nice meeting you, Everly.” I kept a smile plastered on my face and nodded.

“You too, Megan.”

I simply didn’t care to say anything else. I just walked away then, leaving JC and Megan to themselves, and headed toward the front of the store to check out.

I was hoping to see a genuine spark between JC and his new girlfriend, but to me it came off as nothing special. I just got the vibe that they were using each other for different reasons, yet because it worked for them they didn’t see anything wrong with it. I knew that JC was happy though and he wasn’t all that good at pretending to be happy when he wasn’t. All I wanted was for him to be happy and I wasn’t about to say anything, in case I was wrong and he was falling in love with her.

Even though I’d cried silly tears over JC and had dreamt of being the love of his life, I had to put feelings aside and realize that fate was taking a different course. I was involved with Matt now and though I hadn’t adored him for years, as I did with JC, I really was starting to feel a spark with him. I just wondered if the spark would fizzle out or continue to crackle into a full-blown blaze.

I made it out of Whole Foods, glad when I reached my car and was completely nowhere near JC and Megan. I couldn’t help, but to feel a twinge of jealousy, especially since I’d felt his lips upon mine and knew he was blessed with some perfectly sculpted lips. Seeing him kiss her on purpose and not during some tipsy moment was hard. I wanted to like the girl and to believe that she and JC were actually a good match, but I was being pessimistic. I hated it, especially since I was so use to being optimistic and wishing the very best for my friends. Yet, I couldn’t help, but to wonder what JC felt when he kissed her and if Megan’s kisses were filled with all the love and passion he deserved.

I shook my head, loading the bag of groceries in my car and then settling into the driver’s seat. I knew this whole situation royally sucked because I was having internal battles with myself. I felt like my mind and heart kept flipping back and forth over JC and Matt and I needed to get a grip. I was Matt’s girlfriend now and that was that.


I drove home to my apartment to quickly change into something better for my evening with Matt. Once I stepped inside my apartment, I saw Aimee laying on the couch, eating some ice cream and watching the television. She looked really comfortable as well, in sweat pants and a hoodie. It appeared she was being lazy today, but then I realized she had tears in her eyes as I walked past her. She was sniffling as well and I noticed it was the movie, Marley & Me, playing on the television. It dawned on me that she was PMSing, since I knew she could be a weepy little thing or complete bitch just before that time of the month. She also loved to indulge in ice cream.

“PMSing?” I simply asked, looking at her.

She nodded her head. “Yeah, I don’t know why I even put this movie in. It’s so freaking sad at the end and my hormones are whack.”

I couldn’t help, but to chuckle. “And you’ve got your pint of Ben & Jerry’s too.”

“Chocolate chip cookie dough.” She sniffled. “It’s so…good. I don’t even care it has a million calories right now.”

“Good, you shouldn’t worry about them calories anyways.” I assured her with a smile and then stepped into my bedroom to find my outfit for the evening.

When I came out a couple minutes later, in a royal blue ruffled top and some dark, skinny jeans, I saw that Aimee had turned the movie off and was focusing on the ice cream she still had in her little container.

“Where are you going?” She asked, acknowledging my return to the living room, as she put another spoonful in her mouth. “You look cute.”

“I smiled.” Thanks. I’m going over to Matt’s for a romantic dinner that I’m preparing.”

“So you’re cooking for him already?” Her eyebrows arched.

“Yeah, I am. He asked nicely this morning and so I made a trip to Whole Foods for the ingredients.”

“I still think it’s so amazing you two are a couple. Just don’t mess it up, by burning his food.”

I laughed. “I will not mess it up, Aimee. I’ve cooked for you before and you’ve never complained.

“Okay, you’re right.” She smirked. “But just remember where I found his condoms, in case you need one.”

“Aimee!” I shook my head and laughed. “I’m not sleeping with him tonight.”

“You never know.” She smirked once again. “He might be so impressed by your cooking skills that he’ll want you for dessert.”

“I’m making a chocolate mousse with berries on top for dessert and even if he is impressed, you know I won’t just put out like that.”

“Which is a shame. I can only imagine how many Hollywood hunks you’d have been in the sack with by now if you did.” I rolled my eyes at her.

“You know me, Aimes. I’m not a shallow bimbo who just sleeps with anyone she can.”

“Yeah…I know.” She laughed then. “I just like to be entertained by the thought.”

“Mmhmm.” I rolled my eyes and grabbed my purse, that I’d set on the kitchen counter. I slid it upon my shoulder and then grabbed the bag of groceries that I had brought inside, along with some extra ingredients from my own kitchen.

“You leaving already?” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, I need to be at his house in a little bit and start cooking our dinner.”

She stood up from the couch and then walked over to the garbage can in the kitchen, depositing her empty ice cream container into it.

“More sad, lonely, and depressing PMSing time.” I chuckled.

“You’ll be okay, Aimee. I bet you’ll even fall asleep in a few hours.”

She shook her head. “I don’t have a man. If I had a cute, cuddly man here right now, I’d feel so much better.”

“Don’t you even dare of picking up the phone and calling Noah.” I warned her. “Even if he is miles and miles away, you don’t need to start shit because you feel lonely.”

“Oh I won’t.” She shook her head. “I’m in need of a man that’s here in LA.”

“You’ll find one sooner or later.” I assured her. “Guys love you.”

“Thanks, big sis.” She smiled and then she pulled me into a hug and squeezed me tight. It caught me off guard, but I just went with it.

“Welcome.” I stepped over to the door, after leaving her embrace, ready to get to Matt’s.

“I’m leaving now. Call me if you need anything or want me to pick you up more Ben & Jerry’s on my way home.” I smirked.

“I’ve already got another pint in the freezer.” She chuckled.

“Okay. See you later.” I stepped out the door then, glad I was leaving my PMSing sister behind and going to be joining Matt shortly.


When I arrived at Matt’s place, it was a few minutes past seven and he greeted me with a warm smile. He ushered me in and closed the door behind me, before placing a gentle kiss to my lips. It was a good way to start the evening and I smiled, handing him the bag of groceries. I followed him into his kitchen, where he began to unload the bag and see all of the ingredients I was going to use for dinner.

“I’m so glad to see you and with a bag full of food too.” He grinned. “Thanks for being so willing to cook for me.”

“Not a problem. I do need to start doing nice things for my boyfriend, don’t I?” I smirked.

“It’s always a plus when my girlfriend is nice to me.” He continued to smile. “So what are you making me?”

“Our dinner will be an enjoyable menu of chicken piccata with this amazing lemon and white wine sauce, a side salad with balsamic vinegar dressing, some buttered rice, as well as chocolate mousse with a berries for dessert. How does that sound?”

I watched him pat his stomach and his face lit up even more. “Delicious! I haven’t had a meal like that in awhile. Between being in the studio, on set for the show, and all the other stuff that’s been going on, eating hasn’t really been so gourmet. I can’t wait to eat.”

“Then I feel even better doing this for you.” I pecked his cheek and then laid out all the ingredients on his kitchen counter, taking stock of everything.

“Let me show you where everything is around my kitchen and then you can begin your magic, sweetheart.” Matt grinned and he began opening drawers and cabinets showing me where dishes, pots, pans, utensils, and such were.

I decided I’d quickly prepare the mousse first, so that it could chill in the fridge and be properly set when we wanted to enjoy it after dinner. As soon as I finished getting acquainted on the kitchen, I made the mousse, while Matt’s phone rang and he had took the call into his office. I didn’t mind cooking without him in the kitchen. It actually made it easier, so that I could prepare everything and stay focused.

While he continued to talk on his phone, I managed to put the chicken in the oven to bake, put the rice on the stove top to cook, and also prep the salad in a large bowl with all of its ingredients. I felt rather domestic as I went about my tasks and I imagined what it would be like to have to cook for someone everyday or close to it. I could really be a nurturer when I wanted to be and I did like to keep those I love happy and taken care of. I knew that in the long run, if Matt and I continued down the path we were, I could really get use to this. I knew that in my heart of hearts I wanted a committed relationship and one that hopefully ended in marriage. Whether Matt would end up being the ‘one’ was something I’d have to just wait and see about.


When Matt got off the phone finally, the food was also ready. I grabbed two plates and put a serving of everything onto each plate. I smiled as Matt took a seat at the table and I placed his plate of chicken, rice, and salad in front of him.

“This looks and smells so good.” He rubbed his hands together, ready to dig in. “Sorry, about the phone call. It was Ryan Murphy telling me some important information for Glee. We’re actually going to do some shooting in New York soon.”

“Oh that’s quite alright. That’s probably going to be a lot of fun for you too. You’ll get to go back to your real home and catch up with friends there, especially on Broadway.” He grinned and nodded..

“Yeah, it’s definitely nice to always get back to New York.”

I watched him cut a piece of chicken and pop it into his mouth. His face had satisfaction written all over it then. I couldn’t help, but to be happy.

“Mmmm…this is so good, Everly. Some of the best chicken, I’ve had in awhile. You can definitely make this for me again.” He cut another piece and savored more chicken.

I began digging into my own food, enjoying the chicken, as well as the salad and rice. I had been hungry and was glad to fill up my own stomach, besides Matthew’s.

“We’ll see. You just have to keep playing your cards right, Matt.” He chuckled then.

“I plan on it. I don’t want to screw up things between us.” I couldn’t help, but to grin at his words. He seemed to really be invested in this relationship in such a short time.

“Good. I don’t want to date anymore screw ups. I just want a real, genuine guy.”

"I am a real, genuine guy." Matt leaned in and pressed a small kiss to my lips. "..And I believe that you're real and genuine too, Everly.” I grinned and happily continued eating.

We ate in a comfortable silence, minus a few comments here and there, but it was fine with me. I was content watching Matthew enjoy dinner, knowing he appreciated my cooking.

Once we both cleaned off our plates and our stomachs were full, I volunteered to clean up the kitchen and take care of the mess I’d created. Though Matthew told me to just put whatever I could in the dishwasher and not to worry about the rest. He didn’t want me slaving over him anymore and I thought it was a sweet gesture.

So we ended up on his couch and he wrapped his arm around me, as he turned the television on. Once he settled on a channel, he pecked a kiss upon my cheek and then another kiss to my jaw.

“Thank you so very much for dinner. It was absolutely delicious. The chicken was tender and juicy, the rice was buttery, and the salad was flavorful.”

“It was my pleasure. I’m just glad your taste buds were happy with it.” He grinned.

“They were and my body is really happy to be sitting beside you now. My lips are extremely happy to kiss you too.”

Before I could say anything, Matthew turned my head toward him and he planted a kiss upon my lips. At first it was soft and slow and then turned into something a little more heated. I savored his lips upon mine and I could tell he enjoyed tasting me too. It was almost like a pre-dessert to the real dessert.

“That was amazing…” Matt spoke softly, his breathing hitched, as he pulled his lips away from mine.

I tried catching my breath as well and nodded. “…Yeah…it was.”

“It’s nice to be able to feel a spine-tingling, toe-curling kiss from someone again. I haven’t had one in awhile.” Matt admitted.

It was my turn for an admittance. “Me neither. I agree, that it is nice. I like feeling wanted, desired and all that. I almost forgot what it was like.”

“Well with me, you won’t forget.” Matt tossed me a wink and I couldn’t help, but to smile.


We kissed some more and cuddled a little while, before we finally indulged ourselves with the chocolate mousse, which I ended up topping off with the raspberries and blackberries, as well as some whipped cream I found in Matt’s refrigerator. It really was a sensual dessert, as JC had pointed out earlier. It was so light, airy, and smooth, yet delicious and creamy. It really did scream romance and passion.

“Open up.” Matthew said as he held a spoonful of the mousse in front of my mouth and I parted my lips. I accepted the spoonful and my lips curved around the spoon the get it all.

“Mmm…” I moaned in delight and then couldn’t help, but to notice the look on Matthew’s face.

“You look so sexy eating this. I want to feed you another spoon.” I chuckled and then accepted another spoonful of the mousse without any hesitation.

“I’m so glad I made this. Even for being low-fat and all, it tastes good.” I then leaned in with chocolate residue still upon my lips and kissed Matthew.

I felt and heard him moan against my lips then and he kissed off the residue of the mousse, while savoring my lips at the same time.

“It definitely tastes good.” Matt smirked, as he broke from the kiss.

“And you taste good too.” I grinned and reached for his cheek, giving it a gentle caress. I found myself enjoying the moment and being around my new boyfriend. I didn’t even really see him as Matthew Morrison, the Glee guy, anymore. Though I was a fan of his, I was becoming a fan of the real Matt and all he had to offer.

He blushed slightly and then I watched him take another spoonful of the mousse for himself. “I think when I’m in New York, it might be nice for you to come with.”

I didn’t expect for him to say those words, nor to invite me. “Really? I don’t know. I mean I have my own schedule too.”

“I know.” He nodded. “..But even if you could come visit for a couple days. I think I’ll end up taping the episode for Glee and then stay longer to do some publicity for the tour and album.”

“I mean…I’d really like to and of course I want to support you and see you. Plus it's been awhile since I’ve been to New York myself. It’s such a fashion mecca and I love it.”

“Good, so then you’ll come out, even if it’s just for two days? I‘ll get you reacquainted with the city.” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, yeah, I will. Now when are you going?”

“In about three weeks. It could be four weeks if things get pushed back, but yeah…definitely look into your schedule.” I nodded and then pecked his lips.

“I will. I’ll make sure to make it work around Divine Threads and ABDC.”

ABDC was starting in a week, but thankfully, it taped on Tuesdays, which meant I could take a weekend getaway, as long as something else didn’t come up. I could also have Nathaniel take on some of my clients if I had to.

“Just what I wanted to hear, honey.” Matt smiled and then he ran his hand through my hair and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

I felt my phone vibrate in my jean pocket and slowly retrieved it. I saw that I had received a text and I squirmed a little then, as Matt tried to place more kisses upon my face. I let out a chuckle an kept pulling away.

“Just let me read this text I got.” I flipped my phone open and saw Aimee’s name pop up as well as the text.

I know I told you to sleep with Matt….but while eating more Ben & Jerry’s realized you need to do JC!

My eyes widened and I quickly shut my phone, so Matt wouldn’t even catch a glimpse of the words. “Can…I be excused for a second? My sister sent me a silly text and she’s PMSing. I’m worried about her.”

“Of course. I hope she’s okay.” Matt gave me a concerned look and let me slide off the couch then.

I walked down the hallway to his bathroom then and closed the door, before texting Aimee a response.

WTF AIMEE! I’m Matt’s girlfriend now. Stop acting psycho because your period is coming.

The text sent and a moment later, she replied with another one.

Yeah, but….you really should do JC!

Once again, I sent another text.

He’s in a relationship. So am I.

Another text popped up.

Doesn’t mean either of your relationships are going to last. I’m happy for you sis, but just don’t sleep with Matt…yet.

She was getting on my nerves now.

I’m not ‘there’ with him yet and don’t be a bitch because you’re the single one now and I’m taken.

Sure enough she had another response.

I’ll be a crazy PMSing bitch of a little sister all I want. You can listen to me or you can ignore me, but fuck…you have feelings for two men and you know it. A title won’t change that.

I sighed, reading and re-reading her text, knowing that my little sister had a knack at knowing the truth. She’d come back into my life again so suddenly and she already had figured out what was happening in my heart. Still didn’t mean I wanted her to send me texts on who I needed to sleep with. In my mind being intimate with Matt was a little more realistic, where as being intimate with JC seemed too surreal. Though it wasn’t really like I had a choice anyways. I didn’t have both guys pining for me and JC was off the market.

I decided not to respond to Aimee again, knowing I didn’t want to get into it even more. I stepped out of the bathroom and made it down the hall, back to Matt. He was still sitting on the couch and smiled when I returned.

“Hey, you’re back. Everything’s okay?” He patted the cushion beside him, wanting me to sit down again.

“Yeah, don’t you worry about, Aimee. Though, I think I should call it a night anyways.”

“Aww…really? You tired? You got work to do?” He asked, sounding disappointed.

“Don’t be too sad, Morrison. I did come over, cook for you, and kiss you.” I smirked. “But…yeah, I just realized I have a couple things to do before I get to bed and go to work tomorrow.”

He stood up from the couch then and he pulled me into his embrace. He squeezed me tightly and then planted a kiss upon my neck, then one on my jaw, and then another to my lips. “Alright. I understand. I mean…I can forgive you since you agreed to come out to New York, plus…you’re very beautiful.”

I laughed and then ruffled his hair gently, before pulling out of his arms and heading toward the door to leave.

“Good, thanks for being so forgiving, handsome.” I allowed Matt to open the door for me and then he quickly pressed another kiss to my lips and wished me sweet dreams, before letting me go and shutting the door behind me.

I sighed as I walked to my car, still confused as ever. If not even more confused as ever.


End Notes:
Any comments are appreciated. I love you all!
Chapter 18 by harmonysparkle

 

A week later, I was thankful that Aimee’s PMSing and period had come and gone. She had apologized for ruining the moment for Matt and I with her text messages, but she didn’t apologize for her words. She still insisted that I needed to really figure some things out before I slept with Matt. I really didn’t see any chance of me sleeping with JC anytime soon, nor ever. Plus, Matt and JC being friends and working on music together, just made this whole situation even more awkward. Yet, was this even a situation? I was pretty sure I was content with Matt and being his girlfriend. Plus, JC was dating Megan. Was there really any reason to shake things up and stir the pot?

I was just excited and happy to finally style the first show of the season for ABDC and I could only hope tonight went smooth. I already had put aside wardrobe for the all the crews labeled with their crew names and the specific sizes for each member. I had also found some possible selections for each judge and had them hanging on racks in the wardrobe room backstage. I just needed for everyone to show up and to make sure that everything looked good and fit on them.

I stood outside in the hallway, across from the door to the wardrobe room and waited to see who was going to appear first. I smiled, as Randy passed by and he waved at me with a warm smile of his own. I could just sense he was happy to be on set and glad to kick off another season of America’s Best Dance Crew. I was happy as well because now I could add this to my resume and gain even more experience. Plus, there was the perk of being around great people, especially JC.

I looked at my watch, still waiting, hoping that someone would show up to be dressed soon. I only had so much time before all the crews and judges had to take their places for the taping. I let out a soft sigh of relief as JC appeared first and I was glad he wasn’t late this time. He was dressed in jeans with just a simple t-shirt on. His hair was a mess and I knew he’d really need to get to hair and makeup as soon as I gave him his new set of clothes.

“Hi.” He simply said with a smile, looking at me.

“Hey, JC.” I smiled in return and opened the door to the room full of clothing. He stepped in right behind me.

“How are things going, honey?” I walked to the rack that had some of my possible selections for JC and shrugged.

“They’re going okay, I guess. It’s still been a little bit of a handful having Aimee around, but Matt is just wonderful.” I glanced up at JC. “How are things with you?”

“Not too shabby. Life’s still pretty good. I’m really glad to get season six started.” I grabbed a shirt off the rack and held it up for JC to see. Right away he shook his head.

“I don’t like that color.” I rolled my eyes and then I found another shirt that was a simple button down, in a light gray shade.

“What about this one?” He didn’t really react one way or another and started looking at the rack himself.

“Where are the sweaters? The awesome jackets? I don’t really see much cool stuff, Ev.” I laughed at him then.

“Seriously? The problem with your last stylist was that she thought it was okay for you to wear grandpa sweaters every week or layer the hell out of your outfit. You don’t need elaborate crazy outfits. I just want you looking classic with simple clothes. You look pretty good even in the most basic of outfits.”

“Hey! I love sweaters.” He cried out and chuckled. “But thanks for the compliment. It’s good to know I look good.”

I shook my head at him, unable to hide a smile. “You’re wearing this light gray button-up. That’s just how it’s going to be this week.”

I watched him peruse the rack again and then he dropped his shoulders in defeat. “Alright, alright. I’ll wear the gray shirt. Can I keep my jeans on though?”

I nodded my head. “Sure. You can keep your jeans on.”

He seemed pretty satisfied with my answer and I didn’t have a problem letting him get a little of his way.

“Am I done already then?” He asked, holding the shirt up to himself.

I shook my head, knowing I wanted him to add a tie. He needed something to complement the light gray of the shirt and I knew a tie would be a great accessory, as well as add to his sexy sophistication. I almost felt wrong thinking about how much sexier a tie made JC look.

“I’ve got to give you a tie.” He groaned softly.

“Do I have to?” I nodded my head then, grabbing a couple off a table.

“Yes, you do. I’m the stylist here, buddy.” He rolled his eyes at me then and he grabbed a tie out of my hand.

“Oohhh…yellow. I think I’ll wear it.” I cringed seeing the yellow beside the gray shirt.

“Eww…no. I shouldn’t have grabbed that one. It looks ugly with the shirt.” JC chuckled.

“Even more reason for me to wear it.” I shot him daggers with my eyes and then reached for the tie, trying to yank it from his hand.

“Stop being a brat, Chasez.” He chuckled some more and raised his arm high into the air so I couldn’t reach the yellow tie.

“Don’t insult my choices, Monroe.” I rolled my eyes.

“Come on, JC. You know the yellow tie doesn’t go with the shirt. Please drop it and take this one instead.” I held out a dark charcoal tie instead, which was a way better complement to the light gray of the shirt.

He contemplated it for a moment, looking back and forth between the charcoal and yellow ties, before finally switching ties with me. I smiled, as soon as the yellow tie was back in my hand, knowing I had won that battle. I didn’t want Randy firing me already because I couldn’t match colors properly. I needed JC to look good at all times.

“I’ll wear the charcoal tie because I value you as a stylist and you’re paid to do this.” JC remarked and then held it along with the shirt. “Plus, you might just know what you’re talking about.”

“Thanks, JC. So nice to know you believe in my skills.” I grinned and then he smirked.

“And you’re forgiven for the grandpa sweater comment.” I chuckled.

“Good. I didn’t want you forever mad at me about that. I promise you that you will look so much better this season, that no one will make any fun of your outfits.”

“Awesome.” He grinned and then started stepping over to the door. “Am I done now?”

“Well yeah..I guess so. Just go back to your trailer and make sure the shirt really does fit.”

“Will do.” I watched him reach for the door handle then and twist it.

“Wait…JC…” His head snapped back and he looked at me.

“Huh?” I didn’t know what came over me, but I was just really curious and wasn’t sure if I’d get to ask him later.

“So did Megan ever end up baking cookies for you?” He smiled and nodded.

“Yeah, she made the ones I bought at Whole Foods. They were pretty delicious.”

“That’s good. You didn’t gain any weight did you?” He chuckled.

“Nope. Not an ounce.” I stepped closer to him and let out a soft sigh.

“She doesn’t monitor everything you eat, does she?”

“No, of course not. She’s just a bit of a health nut, but she’s not making me turn vegan or anything.”

“Okay, good. I just don’t want you changing you for a girl.” He shook his head.

“Not gonna happen, honey. Don’t worry about that.” I hoped he was right and nodded.

“I’ll try not to.”

“Just don’t worry, okay?”

“Okay, but why does she call you by your real name?” I wasn’t sure if I should’ve even asked, but seeing as it had rubbed me the wrong way, I wanted some sort of an answer.

He shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know…I guess she just doesn’t like calling me by two letters.”

I wasn’t a big fan of that answer and I still wasn’t so sure about Megan. I sensed something about her that just didn’t sit right with me. Yet, it bothered me that I still cared so much about this even after I was trying to stop caring.

“Oh…okay.” I mustered up a smile.

“Is that it or do you have more to this inquisition?” JC asked with a smirk.

“No, no…that’s it. Sorry. I was just being nosy.”

“It’s okay. Well I better get to trailer and get ready for the show.” He opened the door all the way then. “I’ll catch you after the show.”

“Sure.” I gave him a small wave and then watched the door close behind him.

I really wanted later to come already, seeing as I had to give everyone else their outfits still. Plus, even as much as I tried to deny it, every second with JC was better than the minutes without him.


A little while later, after Lil Mama and D-Trix, along with all of the dancers had received their wardrobe for the night, the show was about to begin taping and I decided to just stay backstage. I had promised to call Mathew as well, seeing as he wanted to know how it all went for me.

So, I found his number in my phone and waited for him to pick up. He answered after a couple rings and I could just tell he was smiling on the other line.

“Hey, sweet girl.” Matt’s voice was smooth in my ear. “I was waiting for your call. How did styling going tonight?”

“Hi, handsome.” I couldn’t help, but to smile as I spoke to him “It went pretty good. JC was a brat for a second and Lil Mama is in her own world of fashion, but nothing I couldn’t handle. I’m pretty content with how it all went.”

He chuckled. “JC can be a character, that’s for sure. I’m glad that everything went well. I’ll have to watch the episode when it airs.”

“Yeah, then you can tell everyone that your girlfriend did the awesome styling.”

“Of course. I’m lucky to have a girlfriend with an amazing eye for fashion.”

“Good. I’m glad you appreciate what you’ve got.” I really did appreciate his words, feeling like he truly cared and didn’t take me for granted.

“I do appreciate you, Ev. Your talent and just you…being in my life is very much appreciated.”

“Ditto, Morrison, ditto.” There was a brief moment of silence and then Matt’s voice broke it.

“I was thinking…after you’re finished tonight, that you could come to my place again. What do you think?” I twisted a lock of my hair in thought, not sure if I was up for it, but then realized I did want to see my boyfriend. Even if I was tired and got to his place late, I wanted to see him.

“Yeah, that sounds good. You be ready for me, Matthew.” He chuckled.

“Oh…I’ll be ready for you. I can’t wait. Just call me when you’re on your way.”

“Okay. I will.”

“Good. I’ll see you later, Everly. I want to quick finish up something before you get here.”

“Alright. I’ll see you later, Matt.” I heard the line go dead and then closed my phone.

Once the show wrapped up and the taping had fully concluded, I waited in the wardrobe room to gather all the clothing back from everyone after they changed out of it. As the dancers started showing up with their outfits, I could see just how tired some of them were and even noticed some of them dripping with sweat. It was always nice to see people working hard and putting their all into whatever they were passionate about. I sensed it already from all of these dancers and decided I’d sit in the audience for the next show.

As I got all of the crews’ outfits squared away, Lil Mama and D-Trix appeared as well, and I had them just drop their stuff on a table for me. All I needed still was the shirt and tie from JC and then I could have everything taken care of for the night.

I tapped my foot, waiting on him to show up. I wasn’t sure what was taking him longer than everyone else and hoped he didn’t get stopped backstage for an interview already. I also hoped he didn’t have Megan in his trailer and was currently having fun with her.

When he finally came through the door, I sighed in relief, and then took him in. He had changed into the t-shirt he had had on earlier. He also didn’t look like he’d been making out with anyone, so that was a plus.

“What took you so long?” I asked, eyeing him curiously.

“Sorry.” He held out the gray shirt and the charcoal tie. “I checked my phone as soon as we wrapped up and I had an urgent message from Megan. I had to call her back.”

“Oh. Is everything okay? Is she alright?” I tried to show concern in my voice, even though it was a little hard to do.

I took the shirt and tie from him and he gave me a response. “Yeah, she’s fine. She totally forgot to tell me about a trip she had planned and wasn’t sure if she should still go, since she’s suppose to catch a redeye. I told her not to worry about it and that I could handle the rest of the week without her.”

“Ahh….where’s she going?”

“To Vegas for some health convention thingy. Don’t really know all the details. She’ll be back Saturday or Sunday.”

“Better enjoy all the junk food that you can while she’s gone.” I smirked, nicely laying the tie back onto the table it had been on.

He laughed. “Double-stuffed Oreos, here I come!”

“Now that’s the spirit, JC.” I smiled and hung up the gray shirt and then I scanned over the room. Everything was in order for the most part and I knew I was ready to head out.

“I try. So you heading home now?” I shook my head at him.

“No, I’m actually going to Matt’s. He called during taping and invited me.” JC’s lips pursed into a huge smile.

“Oh really? You and Matt are really digging each other, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, I suppose we are.” I tossed him a sheepish grin.

“When I was working with Matt a couple days ago, he was totally gushing about you and I had to reel him in. He wasn’t focusing on the music that well.” I blushed then.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t realize I was occupying his mind like that.”

“It’s fine, Ev. I like seeing you two happy and in a relationship. You’re two of the nicest, most genuine people I know. It just fits.”

“Thanks, JC. That means a lot.” I stared up into his blue eyes and they twinkled back at me.

“Well you need to get over to Matt’s and I just want to get home.” JC clapped his hands together. “So if I don’t hear from you earlier, I’ll see you here same time next week.”

I nodded. “I’ll be here. Have a good night, Chasez.”

“You too, Monroe. Later, honey.”

I watched JC exit the room and then a moment later, left myself.


When I arrived at Matt’s place, I was happy to see him and he did look delicious when he answered the door. He was wearing some jeans and a blue button up shirt. His hair also wasn’t as curly as usual and the scent of his cologne was rather intoxicating.

“Sit down on the couch and get comfy, sweet lady.” Matt pecked my lips and ushered me into the living room, before stepping into the kitchen.

“I’ve got some wine. You want some?” I nodded.

“I’ll take a glass.” He filled one up for me and then he joined me on the couch.

I took the glass of wine and I sipped some of the red liquid. “Thanks. This is good after a long evening. I’m glad you asked me to come over.”

Matt smiled. “I’m glad you could come.”

I sipped more wine and smiled, scooting closer to him. He slid his arm around me and I felt his head rest against mine.

“So how was your day?” I asked, knowing he was having a busy schedule with everything that was going on.

“I did a photo shoot and I also memorized my lines for the next episode of Glee. All in all it was a good day. Though my night just got better with you being here.” He answered and I couldn’t help, but to blush.

“Such a sweet talker, Morrison.” I pecked his cheek and set my glass of wine on his coffee table, before cuddling into him more.

“It’s just the truth.” He chuckled and squeezed me tighter in his embrace. Then I felt a kiss upon my forehead and I smiled.

“So can you share with me any Glee spoilers?” He scoffed playfully.

“So that’s why you’re dating me?! Just to get dirt on Glee.” I chuckled.

“Come on…you have to be able to tell me something….”

“Well I can tell you that they’re letting me perform “Still Got Tonight”. The song I did with Kris Allen for my album. It’s going to be on the season finale.”

“That’s awesome!” I squealed in delight.

“I know. It’s a real great opportunity.” I turned my head and put a small kiss to Matt’s lips.

“It really is. People will see you can create great music outside of Glee.” He grinned at me and then grabbed my cheeks, before pressing another kiss to my lips.

I could taste his own wine that he’d sipped upon his lips and it made kissing even better. I moaned softly as he continued to kiss me, not letting me free from his affection. I moved my hands to the back of his head, letting them gently run through his hair. I felt his own hands move from my face and up the back of the blouse I had on. I felt little tingles upon my lower back from his fingertips.

The passion and chemistry between us was growing even stronger and I knew these kissing sessions were becoming more heated and intense. I tried to just go with the flow, not wanting to pull away. What was happening between Matt and I wasn’t suppose to be scary and was a step in the right direction of my love life. I could just feel in his kiss that he was crazy about me and I needed someone who truly was crazy about me.

I felt Matt pull his lips away for a brief second as he gasped for air, which allowed me to take my own breath. I smiled at him, just before he moved his lips back upon mine and started kissing me even deeper. I moved my lips with his, feeling a sweet sensation from the way our lips meshed. I had felt the sensation each time and it was something I loved. It was a sure sign that we had sparks between us and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I yelped as I clung onto Matt harder, feeling him push me back upon the cushions of the couch. I hadn’t expected the gesture and was surprised, but enjoyed the weight of him upon me, as he lay his lean body on top of me. It had been awhile since I’d had a man on top of me and it felt even better than when it had been Trevor. Something about Matt made everything about my past relationship seem so wrong and I was glad that he was opening my eyes.

“You’re so beautiful.” I heard Matt gasp, as he looked down at me. I looked up at him and his lips were swollen, but he was smiling.

“Thanks.” I breathed softly and hen ran a hand over his smooth cheek. “You’re beautiful yourself.”

“I can’t be beautiful. I’m a guy.” He chuckled and I shook my head.

“A guy can be beautiful and you are.” He accepted the fact then and once again, pressed his lips upon mine.

My hands slid to his waist and they crept up the hem of his shirt, rubbing the skin of his lower back gently. I felt him press his body even harder against mine and situate himself between my legs then. I moved my legs to loosely wrap around him and once I did I realized just what kind of position we were in. It was pretty intimate and if my legs were a tad higher around his waist, we’d be in perfect position to make love, if we were indeed unclothed. It startled me for a moment even though I was enjoying the closeness.

“Ya know what?” Matt sighed softly as he pressed a kiss upon my neck. “I’m liking this position, but I don’t think this couch is all that great right now for this.”

I couldn’t help, but to smirk. “Oh yeah? So then where shall we move to?”

“Give me a second. Stay right here.” I noticed he didn’t answer my specific question and just let him get off of me, so that he could go do whatever he had in mind.

“You want to sleep over? Can you sleep over?” Matt asked, after he stood up and walked toward the hallway.

“Sure, I wouldn‘t mind sleeping over.” I tossed him a smile and he nodded.

“Good. That’s what I like to hear. Just give me a moment.”

I remained on the couch, laying there, waiting for Matt to finish whatever he was up to. I had noticed he’d stepped into his bedroom and I wondered if that was a telling sign. Maybe he had flowers or some romantic music to set up. Maybe he wanted to change out of his clothes into pajamas. I wasn’t sure, but I wondered if we’d end up making out again and putting our hands all over each other. His bed was bigger than the couch after all.

I listened for Matt’s voice and once I heard it, he was calling for me to join him in the bedroom. I wasn’t sure what I’d walk into, if anything, but I did hear some music as I stood up from the couch. I made my way down the hall to his bedroom and I peeked inside. My breathing hitched at the sight before me. Nathaniel’s words about Matt’s body came flooding back to me and my friend was definitely right.

Matthew sat upon the middle of his bed with his button-up shirt open. All the buttons were un-buttoned and his defined chest and abs were in view to admire. It was my first glimpse at what he was really working with and I was more than impressed. He really was fit and I could easily imagine running my fingers along the grooves of his abs. I stepped inside of the room and smiled, joining Matt on the bed.

“So this is what you needed a moment for? To unbutton your shirt for me?” He chuckled at my words and pressed a remote to make the volume of the music louder.

“Well I had to set the mood with music, unbutton my shirt, toss some laundry into the hamper, and also grab a couple more items.” I nodded my head, smirking at his answer.

I felt him pull me against him and then press a kiss to my lips. I relaxed into it and kissed his lips in return as I wrapped my arms around him. I could taste something minty and figured he had quickly freshened his breath as well. I sensed that he didn’t want to disappoint and wanted me to really get into the romantic mood.

“My bed is bigger than the couch.” He murmured against my lips and he surprised me again, by tackling me against the mattress. It felt so comfortable under me and I chuckled.

“I figured that out myself.” My eyes caught his as I stared up at him, as his body hovered over mine. I looked away a brief second later and my eyes landed upon his nightstand. It was then that I noticed two items that I hadn’t seen when I first came into the room. One was a small package that had to be filled with a condom and the other was a small bottle of massage oil. I suddenly wasn’t so sure about this and I looked back at Matt, to see he’d taken his shirt off all the way. It lay upon the floor now and I sensed that he wasn’t wanting to just repeat what we’d been doing on the couch. He wanted to move another step forward and actually take our relationship there. He was hoping I would want to sleep with him, in the sexual sense.

I sighed, realizing as much as I wanted to go there with a guy again and didn’t want to disappoint Matt, that I just couldn’t have sex with him yet. I wanted to sleep over and I wanted the closeness, but I just couldn’t get that close yet. I wanted it to be more special and more natural and not just Matt throwing it at me, rearing to go without my same desire for it.

“Something wrong?” Matt asked, shaking me out of my small revelry.

I tried to smile, but then realized I couldn’t fake one. “It’s just…..I thought we weren’t going there just yet.”

“Going where?”

I pointed at the condom and massage oil. “There. I mean why else would you be undressing yourself and have a condom laying out.”

He ran a hand over his face then and sighed. “I was just being hopeful.”

“I know, but….as much as I’m enjoying what we have between us and am feeling some strong feelings, I can’t go there just yet, Matt. Just because you’re my boyfriend now doesn’t mean you automatically can have sex with me. I’m not that…kind of girl.”

He nodded his head slowly then and I could see that he was regretful. “Okay. I’m sorry. I know you’re a different kind of girl, Everly, and I shouldn’t be trying to rush anything with you. I just can’t help that you look so good all the time.”

I couldn’t help, but to chuckle softly. “I’m sorry. I’ll try to start being less attractive.”

“No..no. Don’t do that. I just need to control myself and give you a little more time.”

“Thanks.” I sat up and placed a kiss upon Matt’s cheek. “Thank you for understanding.”

“You’re welcome. It’s the least I can do for you, Ev.” I nodded and then stood up from his bed and made my way to the doorway.

“I think it might be better for me to go home and sleep there.” Matt tossed me a sympathetic look.

“I killed the mood, didn’t I?” I waved him off with my hand.

“I just don’t want there to be anymore pressure tonight, nor do I want to be temptation in your bed right now.”

“Yeah, I should probably cool down and give you your space.”

I gave him a smile. “Don’t beat yourself up over this. You’re an amazing guy, Matt.”

He smiled. “Thanks. I just hope we can get together again soon.”

“Of course we can. You’re my boyfriend still. I’m actually available to do something later in the week. So I’ll call you or you can call me, handsome.”

“Sounds good to me.” He stepped over to me and pecked my cheek. Then he took my hand and he lead me through the hallway and over to the door.

“Well, sleep good and have sweet dreams.” Matt said as he opened the door for me and I nodded.

“I will and you too. Everything’s going to be just fine.” I pecked his lips ever so gently and then a second later, the door closed behind me.


I made it to my car and as I settled into the drivers’ seat, I realized that I could’ve been easy and just given into my boyfriend. Yet, I didn’t want to complicate things just yet and I still wanted to feel even more secure with our relationship. I wouldn’t feel great about having sex with him, only for us to break-up in a week. Not that I expected that to happen, but still.

I pulled my phone out of my purse, remembering I had turned it off while I was with Matt. I waited for it to turn on again and noticed I had a couple missed calls after it loaded up. All the missed calls were from Lila and I really didn’t have a clue why she had tried to contact me. Plus, it was pretty late now, a little after midnight. Though I decided I’d return her call, since she didn’t leave a message. I waited for the call to go through and for her to pick up.

“Hello? Everly?” Her voice came through the other line.

“Yeah, it’s me, Lila. What’s up?” I asked, curiously.

“I’ve been trying to get in contact with you for like the past hour or so. Where are you?”

“I was with Matt. I’m just leaving his place now. What’s so important?”

“I found out that something happened at JC’s house and I’m actually in New York visiting family right now. Otherwise I’d go over there and check on him.”

I felt my heart drop, not sure if I even heard her right. “What do you mean something happened at JC’s? Is he alright?”

“Summer called me and she said the police were at his house and apparently someone stole a bunch of music equipment or something other. She thought they broke into one of his cars, as well. She was a little sketchy on the details. You know her...she can be an airhead.”

I sighed and then asked again, deeply concerned. “Okay…but is JC alright?”

“I think so, but he might be a little shaken up. He called Summer after he called the police. She was going to go over there, but JC told her he didn’t want her to.”

I was relieved that JC wasn’t harmed in the incident that had occurred at his house, but was confused as to why Lila wanted me to go over there if he had told Summer to not come over.

“So then why do you want me to check on him, Lila?” She chuckled.

“ ‘Cause I know his girlfriend was leaving town tonight and he really shouldn’t be alone right now. Plus when I called your apartment, Aimee picked up and we started talking about Matt and JC. It’s a fascinating dilemma, girl. We both know that you have feelings for JC and he probably wouldn’t expect for you to show up. So why not just go double check that he’s alright for your sake and mine.”

I really was concerned about JC, not knowing all the details of what had really gone down. I did want to see with my own eyes that he was unharmed, seeing as I had just seen him a few hours earlier in perfect health. Plus, it would make me feel good to be the one there for him.

“Yeah, I’ll go over there. Just wish me luck that he opens the door and lets me in.”

“He’ll let you in, Everly. You’re one of the least annoying friends he’s got and you know he secretly wants someone to be with him tonight. He acts like a tough guy, but is really a softy inside.”

“I know…I know.” I sighed and started my car finally. “I’m going to drive over to JC’s right now. You enjoy the rest of your time in New York.”

“Thanks, Ev. Let me know that he’s truly okay. I’ll see you when I get back. Bye.”

“Bye, Lila.” I heard her hang up then and I began to drive away from Matt’s and on toward JC’s.


When I made it all the way past Sunset Boulevard and up the Hollywood hills to JC’s house, I was glad to see that there were no longer any police cars and the lights were all turned on in the house. I saw JC’s Mercedes parked on the driveway and I pulled up behind it, killing the engine immediately. I stepped out of my car then and slowly followed the pathway to his front door, being cautious since I really didn’t know what had just happened. Once I stood right outside his door, I took a deep breath and rang the door bell. I waited a few moments and he didn’t answer. I didn’t hear any noise inside the house either. So, I tried the door bell again and finally, after another couple minutes of waiting, the front door slowly opened.

I noticed two blue eyes and a head of dark hair peek from the side of the door and then his face came into full view as he realized it was me. He opened the door all the way and gave me a confused look.

“What are you doing here, Ev?” I sighed in relief, noticing that he was wearing a hoodie and some sweat pants. He also looked to be all in one piece.

“Lila called me because Summer called her about someone breaking into your house tonight. So I came to check on you.”

“Yeah, they got a lot of stuff and I even came face to face with the dude. He got into my car too. It was crazy shit, but you didn’t have to come over here.”

“Yeah, well…someone needed to check on you.” He rolled his eyes. “People do care about you.”

“It wasn’t really necessary.”

“Whatever…I’m here. So just suck it up, Chasez. Let me inside.” He stepped away from the door and allowed me to walk into his home, Then he shut the door behind me and locked it up.

I looked at him then as we stood in the foyer and his eyes met mine. We stared at each other for a couple moments, until I just finally gave into the urge I had and wrapped my arms around him. I hugged him like I had never hugged him before and rested my head against his chest. I felt his arms wrap tightly around me, as well, and his body relaxed. I heard him let out a deep sigh and I knew he really was glad to have someone by his side right now.

“Thank you for coming, Everly.” He whispered and I felt him kiss the top of my head, as I continued to hold onto him.

“Anything for you, JC.” I whispered in return, meaning those words whole-heartedly.





End Notes:
I'll try and have another update as soon as I can! Been a little busy and have a busier work week ahead of me.
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2020