Business First by ialwayzbesingin
Past Featured StorySummary:

 photo businessban_zps04ba9f02.jpeg

 

At twenty-two years old, Justin Timberlake was voted in as the youngest CEO in Goldman Sachs Brokerage company history.  Reaching billionaire status by the age of twenty four, he is considered untouchable by most, especially by his own family.  Greed has taken over his mind, and his lifestyle, his most famous motto being ‘business first.’  When tragedy suddenly strikes, Justin is faced with the responsibility of caring for two people he never thought he would have to.  Kids are easy though, right? Wrong.  Realizing he needs help, he begins to seek it, but what he finds is more than what he bargained for.


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: Season 7
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 77 Completed: Yes Word count: 337715 Read: 218141 Published: May 10, 2011 Updated: Dec 04, 2011

1. One by ialwayzbesingin

2. Two by ialwayzbesingin

3. Three by ialwayzbesingin

4. Four by ialwayzbesingin

5. Five by ialwayzbesingin

6. Six by ialwayzbesingin

7. Seven by ialwayzbesingin

8. Eight by ialwayzbesingin

9. Nine by ialwayzbesingin

10. Ten by ialwayzbesingin

11. Eleven by ialwayzbesingin

12. Twelve by ialwayzbesingin

13. Thirteen by ialwayzbesingin

14. Fourteen by ialwayzbesingin

15. Fifteen by ialwayzbesingin

16. Sixteen by ialwayzbesingin

17. Seventeen by ialwayzbesingin

18. Eighteen by ialwayzbesingin

19. Nineteen by ialwayzbesingin

20. Twenty by ialwayzbesingin

21. Twenty One by ialwayzbesingin

22. Twenty Two by ialwayzbesingin

23. Twenty Three by ialwayzbesingin

24. Twenty Four by ialwayzbesingin

25. Twenty Five by ialwayzbesingin

26. Twenty Six by ialwayzbesingin

27. Twenty Seven by ialwayzbesingin

28. Twenty Eight by ialwayzbesingin

29. Twenty Nine by ialwayzbesingin

30. Thirty by ialwayzbesingin

31. Thirty One by ialwayzbesingin

32. Thirty Two by ialwayzbesingin

33. Thirty Three by ialwayzbesingin

34. Thirty Four by ialwayzbesingin

35. Thirty Five by ialwayzbesingin

36. Thirty Six by ialwayzbesingin

37. Thirty Seven by ialwayzbesingin

38. Thirty Eight by ialwayzbesingin

39. Thirty Nine by ialwayzbesingin

40. Forty by ialwayzbesingin

41. Forty One by ialwayzbesingin

42. Forty Two by ialwayzbesingin

43. Forty Three by ialwayzbesingin

44. Forty Four by ialwayzbesingin

45. Forty Five by ialwayzbesingin

46. Forty Six by ialwayzbesingin

47. Forty Seven by ialwayzbesingin

48. Forty Eight by ialwayzbesingin

49. Forty Nine by ialwayzbesingin

50. Fifty by ialwayzbesingin

51. Fifty One by ialwayzbesingin

52. Fifty Two by ialwayzbesingin

53. Fifty Three by ialwayzbesingin

54. Fifty Four by ialwayzbesingin

55. Fifty Five by ialwayzbesingin

56. Fifty Six by ialwayzbesingin

57. Fifty Seven by ialwayzbesingin

58. Fifty Eight by ialwayzbesingin

59. Fifty Nine by ialwayzbesingin

60. Sixty by ialwayzbesingin

61. Sixty One by ialwayzbesingin

62. Sixty Two by ialwayzbesingin

63. Sixty Three by ialwayzbesingin

64. Sixty Four by ialwayzbesingin

65. Sixty Five by ialwayzbesingin

66. Sixty Six by ialwayzbesingin

67. Sixty Seven by ialwayzbesingin

68. Sixty Eight by ialwayzbesingin

69. Sixty Nine by ialwayzbesingin

70. Seventy by ialwayzbesingin

71. Seventy One by ialwayzbesingin

72. Seventy Two by ialwayzbesingin

73. Seventy Three by ialwayzbesingin

74. Seventy Four by ialwayzbesingin

75. Seventy Five by ialwayzbesingin

76. Seventy Six by ialwayzbesingin

77. Epilogue by ialwayzbesingin

One by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
A new one...sigh. Haha. Enjoy.

Photobucket

I remember when I first left this place.  Seventeen, a hundred bucks in my pocket with only the clothes on my back, I bought a bus ticket to New York City and never looked back because that was the way I wanted my life to be.  I lived in that dingy motel for three years and waited tables before I was finally accepted into the NASDAQ office as a part time broker.  It was grueling.  Sometimes I would work twenty hours a day before I could go home and get some rest, but still, I held my head high and told himself it was all for the best.  That it would all work out, that my future would be secure.  So I put up with it for another year, sharing a tiny apartment with my best friend and business partner, until one day an opportunity came along for us to work at an investment firm in the heart of Wall Street.

It seemed like a whirlwind from then on.  First I was the top broker in the firm, then partner, and then...when the CEO retired I was voted in.  Voted in at twenty two years old as the CEO of Goldman Sachs, the most prominent investment firm in New York City, making me the youngest in the company’s history.  I made millions that first year, then the next year my salary tripled, and tripled again, and again.  They called me a genius, a “brilliant young mind”.  Who knew?

Now, I’m on the covers of fortune 500 magazines, being called ‘the richest bachelor in New York City.’  A billionaire at twenty-four, that’s what I am now.

I’ve come a hell of a long way since Tennessee.

I can’t really blame myelf for forgetting all about what I left behind.

“Sir.”

I nod as the chauffeur opens the door for me, and I slip inside the sleek black limousine, thankful to get out of the blazing heat.  It’s summer in Memphis, something that seemed to turn back the hands of time for me the moment I set foot off the leer jet that brought me back here.  As a kid, I used to run through sprinklers and swim in the neighbors pool with the rest of the kids on the block.  It was a carefree time.  I didn’t have to worry about phone calls, meetings, or agendas then.  It was a simpler time and place.  There was no hustle and bustle here.  But I left as soon as I could, because I knew there was nothing for me in a small town.  I forgot about my parents, didn’t bother calling anymore after that first year.  I was never especially close with them, and with a couple of kids still left to raise, I figured they’d be fine without me.

I just never counted on this.  

The phone call floored me.  It had come during a Monday morning board meeting and I can’t deny that I was angry at first for being interrupted by my secretary.  It’s a rule of mine that are to be no interruptions allowed during my Monday run through, and I probably would have fired her on the spot if it hadn’t been for her explanation.

“Sir...she says she’s family.  There’s been some kind of accident?”

She said it with so many questions in her voice, and I was sure until that moment my secretary probably didn’t have a clue that I even had a family.  It’s no secret that I’m a workaholic, and I’ve been much too focused on the welfare of the firm, and making a profit to remember my family back home.

“Thanks Cheryl.”  I took the phone from her gently, and she walked away to give me some privacy.

“Justin, it’s Grammy Ethel.” Came a soft voice, filled with sorrow.  “It took me forever to get a hold of you.  Did you know that your parents didn’t have your number?  I found that unbelievable since you’ve been on the cover of all those magazines.”

I rolled my eyes.  “Can you just tell me what the problem is?  There’s been an accident?”

“Well...” Her voice trailed off and I could have sworn I heard her sobbing.  “There was a car accident.  Your parents...they didn’t make it.”

I nearly dropped the phone. The numbness hit me in the chest and traveled right down to the tips of my toes, causing me to lean against the wall and slide down to the floor.  “W-what?”

“We need you to come home,” she continued after several moments of silence.  “Just for a few days to sort things out.”

I couldn’t comprehend it.  My parents were dead.  My parents who I hadn’t spoken to in over seven years.  I didn’t know whether I should be sad, or angry with myself.  For the first time since I became so successful, I never felt like more of an asshole.  “I’ll be on the first flight out.”  I said softly, and hadn’t given her a chance to say anything else to me before I hung up.

The reflection of the tall oak trees glints against the tinted windows.  I can feel it.  Home is close, closer than I want.  I nearly tell the driver to stop, to turn around, to take me back to the city and the things that make sense in my life.  Only one thing is stopping me. Well...two things.  Two little things that I know I have to take care of, or nobody else will.  It’s going to be awkward of course.  They hardly know me.  I left when they were just little kids, but I know they’ll take to me right away.  Who wouldn’t? I’m Justin Timberlake, and nobody ever turns their backs on me.

I have too much to offer.

“Is it this one sir?”  The driver’s voice pulls me from my thoughts again.

I sit up a little, and glance out the window.  I remember it.  All of it, because its never changed in all the years I’ve been away.  It’s my block.  I can envision myself as a small child running along the block with a drippy ice cream cone.  I nearly smile.

Nearly.

“Sir?”

“Yeah,” I finally say.  “Yeah this one here.  The brown one.”

The car halts on my command, and I sit here, just staring out the window.  There are a bunch of old folks seated on the rocking chairs that litter the wrap around porch.  Those are the same too.  I remember sitting there on my mother’s lap when I was five years old, singing some stupid song.  What had she ever done that was so wrong?  Why didn’t I call?  Why did I feel so above her...above dad?  How could I consider them hicks when they were the ones that had raised me?

I push the thoughts away and get out of the limousine.

The people on the porch are staring at me in my thousand dollar suit, and I know it.  It’s uncommon.  These people have about three good suits or dresses to themselves, and they only buy new ones probably every ten years.  I wave a little, and force a small smile as I slip my sunglasses over my eyes.  “How y’all doing?”

They just stare at me.  I know, I’m an imbecile in their eyes.  An outcast who had only come back because he was forced to.

But I’ll hold my head high because I’m a survivor.

With all the dignity I can muster, I walk up the old, cracked, cement steps, past the onlookers, and through the open screen door.  The interior of the old house is just as I remember it too.  Hell, it even smells the same, and I begin to feel queasy.  My mother’s scent...that’s what it is.  Flowers...lavender...that’s it.  She loved lavender flowers.  My father would pick them from the side of the road on his way home from the factory, since he had to walk home most of the time.  She loved them.  I remember picking the petals off some of the flowers with her and putting them in a special solution so they would be able to soak.  Then she would spritz some of the homemade perfume on herself days later, after it had sat in the sun.  

There was no money for store bought delicacies like that.  My mother had always been innovative.

That’s where I got it from, I’m sure.

“Oh, Justin, hello.”

I whirl around at the sound of the soft, feminine voice, and push my sunglasses onto the top of my head.  The woman who stands there could pass for my own mother, if she were a little skinnier. I know her right away, though.  It’s my Aunt Kimberly, my mother’s sister, and I force a polite, professional smile.  “Hello.” I go over and kiss her cheek.  “It’s been a long time.”

She just nods.  “I know.  Would you like something? Sweet tea? Lemonade?”

“Um, water is fine.”

She manages a tight smile and leads me into my parent’s kitchen, motioning for me to sit down at the table, as she withdraws a pitcher from the refrigerator.  I wring my hands together as I wait for her to join me.  It’s so awkward.  She’s not giving me details, and that’s all I want from her, so I can get the next flight back to New York.

“Here you go.”  She pours the water and slides the glass over to me before sitting down at the table as well.  “So, I’ve been hearing amazing things about you, Justin.  You certainly made a name for yourself out in that city.”

I nod as I drink my water.  “It’s just business,” I whisper.  

I don’t want to talk about my money right now.

“I know...I know this must have been a shock,” Kimberly says, finally getting to the point.  “We just...wanted to contact you as soon as possible.”

“I appreciate it,” I nod.  “Just tell me what I need to do.”

“Well there’s the matter of your parents house and assets.  They didn’t have much, but what they did have, they left to the boys.  I’m sure you have a good lawyer to sort out the will, right?”

I feel like laughing, but don’t.  “Yeah, of course.  I can call him today.  He might be able to fly out if you need him to.”

She nods and presses her lips together.  “Then there’s the funeral.  The family can barely afford anything proper...”

“I’ll take care of it,” I whisper, waving a hand in the air.  “Is there some kind of funeral coordinator?” I lower my sunglasses over my eyes again, because I can feel a slight twinge of emotion inside of me, threatening to expose itself, and I don’t want her to see.

“Well we have the local priest coming.  There’s a very nice funeral home in town as well.  We picked out two very reasonable caskets.  We’ve had the wake already, since you said you had that meeting and couldn’t come until today, but the gentleman at the home said he can take you anytime tomorrow for a...viewing, if you’d like to do that before the funeral...”

She trails off because my cell phone has started to ring.  I sigh.  “Sorry, I told them no calls...” I pull the thing out of my pocket and look at the ID to find that my business partner is on the line.  I quickly flash my aunt a charming smile.  “Hang on, I have to take this.”

She frowns.

“Hey man,” I say gently, as I make my way into the sitting room.  “I’m right in the middle here.”

“There’s a huge stock opportunity about to break with Energizer Batteries,” Trace Ayala, my best friend and business partner, tells me enthusiastically.  “I know you said no calls, but I figured you’d want to jump on this.”

“Yeah, whatever, just do it.  I know you’re not an idiot,” I huff.  “Seriously man, just handle shit for me until I get back.  It’ll only be three, four days, tops.”

“How’s hick town?” Trace snickers.  “See any tumbleweeds yet?”

I squeeze my eyes shut in an effort to keep my temper at bay.  The guy is my best friend, but right now, I’m not in the mood for Trace’s sarcasm.  “It’s Memphis, not the old West.”

I hear a loud bang behind me, and it causes me to whirl around. I’m able to catch a glimpse of a small boy disappearing behind the sofa, and I know I’ve been spied on since I walked in the house.

“Justin, you there?”

“Hmm...yeah, sorry.” I suck in a large breath.  “Did you have Cheryl send those flowers out here for me?”

“First thing this morning,” Trace reassures me.

“Thanks.  Hey, listen, I’ll call you later okay?”

“Cool.  Best of luck, man.  I know it’s shitty...your folks dying like this.”

“Yeah,” I say glumly.  “I’ll talk to you.”

I hang up, and immediately walk toward the sofa.  “Hey...you gonna come out of there?”

Silence.  

“I promise I won’t bite,” I laugh lightly.

“He doesn’t know who you are.”

I look up, and recognize the kid immediately.  He’s grown so much since I last saw him.  How old is Austin now? Twelve? Thirteen?  I’ve forgotten.  It’s been too long.  “Hey, Austin.”

“Davey!” Austin yells in annoyance, making sure to ignore my greeting.  “Come on, get out of there.”

“No.”

“It’s fine,” I reassure him, when Austin seems to grow even more annoyed.  “He’ll come out eventually.”

“How the hell would you know?”

Damn.  This kid is angry, and I know he’s taking it out on me. Not that I didn’t expect it. I took it upon myself to read a short book about child psychology on the flight, hoping it would help me understand my brothers’ anguish a little bit better.  One thing I hate is being unprepared for the major events in my life.  “Why don’t you sit down here, and we’ll have a talk?”

“I don’t want to talk to you.” He spits out.  “You haven’t even been around! Why’d they call you?  You could have stayed back in your precious city.”

There’s a time that I can remember, just before I moved away, that Austin and I shared a little bit of a bond.  I still remember going out in the backyard when he was about five years old, and kicking the soccer ball around with him.  What happened? Why didn’t I think of him when I left?  I don’t have an answer, but I know Austin has a right to be angry with me.  “Look, this isn’t easy for me,” I whisper.  “But I’m trying.”

“I just want you to leave!” He shouts.  “Aunt Kim says you’re gonna sell the house and we’re gonna have to move to New York City! I don’t want to go to New York City!” The tears spill out of his eyes and down his small face as he shouts the words, and then he’s sobbing right there in the middle of the room.

I’m literally paralyzed.  It’s the one thing I didn’t count on today...the first day.  During the funeral? Sure, I was prepared to see my brothers cry and I was prepared to comfort them then.  But not today.  Today was supposed to be about business.

So I do the only logical thing. I walk back into the kitchen.

“Is that Austin?” Kim says immediately, as I take my seat back at the table.  “Is he crying?”

“Yeah,” I say, with a frown.  “Let him cry.  He’s a kid, it’s what they do.”r32;


“Mr. Timberlake,” she says harshly.  “I don’t think you understand the effect this is having on the boys.”

It’s weird to hear her call me that because we’re family, but then again, I haven’t seen the woman in years and even when I lived in Memphis originally, we hardly saw each other.  My mother hadn’t been close with her sister.  “I get it.”  I try not to sound harsh, but it’s difficult.  “Business comes first.  There’ll be time to grieve later.”

She stares at me for a good long time, and I can feel the heavy resentment she’s holding against me, but I won’t retaliate.  That’s very immature, and I’m certainly not immature.  I have to be the leader here, the civilized one.  Otherwise my parents will be buried in a wooden box, on top of each other, with a little stick cross as the gravestone.  I won’t stand for that.  The name Timberlake is now an elite one.  I made sure of it, and nobody will ever make a fool out of it if I have anything to say about it. “How soon can we get the house on the market,” I ask next.  “I need to be back in New York as soon as possible, so I’ll need your help getting a realtor, and preparing the boys for the move.”

“Maybe I should ask somebody else in the family if they want to take the boys,” she says next.  “You don’t seem like you really need the responsibility.”

“They told me that I’m next of kin,” I tell her, bluntly.  “I’m capable.  I have the resources, and they’ll do better with me.  I can get them into the best schools, and show them the world.  They’ll have a future, and I know you understand that if they stay here, they won’t.”

“What about their happiness,” she croaks.  “You can’t raise a child in that city.”

I laugh this time.  “Kim, people do it all the time.  My decision is final.  They’re coming with me.”

“I’d take them,” she tells me, holding her head a little bit higher.  “Maybe you could consider it.”

“I can’t,” I sigh.  “I’m sorry.”

She scrunches her lips together.  “I have a lawyer friend...he said he might be able to help me get custody.”

“Do you really want to play around with that?” I smile at her pathetic attempt keep what’s rightfully mine from me.  “Kim, my lawyer makes eight hundred dollars an hour, and it’s certainly not in his nature to fail.”

Her bottom lip quivers, just slightly.  “I’ll...I’ll call the realtor.”

She gets up and rushes out of the room.  I could swear she was sobbing.

But still, I smile, drunk on the power I seem to hold over the entire world.

Two by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! Hope you like the next chapter :)
“...Grant this mercy, O Lord, we beseech Thee, to Thy servants departed, that they may not receive in punishment the requital of their deeds who in desire did keep Thy will, and as the true faith here united them to the company of the faithful, so may Thy mercy unite them above to the choirs of angels. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”

Davey sniffles, and I put a hand on his shoulder as we all watch the coffins being slowly lowered into the ground.  Austin steps up to the edge of the opening and throws a small box down into his mother’s grave.  Nobody says anything.

I adjust my sunglasses and rub my youngest brother’s shoulder.  Makes me feel good to comfort him.  Makes me forget my own pain.  I can’t be in pain.  I have too much going on back home to dwell on this shit.  They’re dead.  It sucks, but what good is crying going to do?

The only word I’ve heard Davey utter since I arrived here is ‘no.’  Apparently he doesn’t talk, at all, and the fact that he said ‘no’ was a big step for him, according to Aunt Kimberly.  Apparently, he used to be the happiest, most energetic kid and you couldn’t get him to shut up.  But I guess...I mean, they told me he was in the car when they died.  It was a drunk driver that killed my parents.  They said it was a miracle Davey even survived, that he’s lucky.  Yeah lucky, with a scorching case of post traumatic stress disorder.  I called Cheryl and asked her to find Davey a really good kid shrink for when we get back to the city.  She found one within the hour, and I talked to her, she seems good, knows her shit, so we’ll see where that goes.  

For now, Davey and I are doing the nod if you want it or shake your head if you don’t thing.

It’s working, I guess.  If anything, he seems to like me a lot more than Austin does.  He even held my hand when we walked out to the grave site this morning.  It’s a start.  He’s eight years old, and I think he has a lot of time to grow out of this thing and come out of it stronger.  I’ll make sure of it of course.  I’ll make him into a man, no matter what. Austin too, although that’s probably going to be harder.

He’s angry, always angry.  Always throwing a tantrum and yelling at his aunts and uncles and cousins, and me...whoever he can.  I’ll let him get away with it for now, because he’s trying to deal with all of this.  Once I get him back to the city though, that’s it.  I’m not tolerating his crap because I don’t have time for it.  If I need to, I’ll send him to a therapist too.  Fuck, by the time this is all said and done, I’ll probably need a therapist.

I’d quit going though.  It would cut into my meetings, and my market analysis time, and I couldn’t have that.

I look on in silence as the priest spreads some holy water over the open graves.  Then he tells us to go in peace, and everybody slowly starts to wander back to their vehichles.  I tug on Davey’s hand to follow along, but he doesn’t move.  He just keeps staring at the hole in the ground, and I know I have to be careful about this.  I crouch down, and ruffle his hair a little.  “They’re okay now bud,” I whisper.  “They’re up in heaven watching over you.”

He continues to stare at the open graves.  It’s a blank stare, and if I didn’t know any better, I would say he’s turned into a zombie.  It occurs to me I have no idea what’s going through his mind right now.  I sigh, feeling so damn out of the loop.  Usually I can solve an issue in an hour or less, but this time...this time it’s just a little bit more complicated.  “C’mon Davey,” I whisper.  “Let’s get Austin and go back to the house, okay?”

He shakes his head.

I stand back upright and contemplate what to do next.  When I look back over my shoulder, I see Aunt Kimberly standing next to the limousine we arrived in, waiting for us. Austin is standing several steps to her right, his arms crossed, scowling at me like he wishes I were dead too, before he storms over to the limo and gets inside.  Growing impatient, I decide to take control of the situation, and pick Davey up off the ground.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

He screams so loud that I almost drop him, but catch him just in time.  He’s pounding on my back as I haul ass away from the grave site, and I manage to get him over to the limo before he can give me a concussion.  “Kim!” I yell.  “Could you give me a hand or something?”

She comes to help, but he’s still screaming and waving his arms in such a way that he manages to clock her right in the face before I can stop him.  That’s when I drop him, and everybody surrounding us gasps, but I know better.  The kid is fucking fine.  He’s so hyped up right now, that I doubt he could get hurt.

“AHHHHHHHHHHH!” He continues to scream and kick, beating the ground with his fists until I see them being scraped raw.  

“Get it out kid,” I scoff and run my hands through my short curls.

“You think this is funny?” Kim says to me bitterly, her hands on her hips.

“What do you want me to do?” I smirk.  “He’s got built up aggression or something.  I read about it in a book.”

“You people and your new fangled psychology,” she grunts.  “The boy is troubled, he needs his family.  You think taking him away from everything he knows is going to be any better?”

She’s still on this guilt shit.  We’ve been over it and over it.  Yesterday she said she would compromise.  I could have them half the year, she could have them the other half. I told her to go to hell.  I’m not shuffling these kids from one home to the other.  I don’t have time to do all that.  They’ll be fine with me, and she needs to get that through her damn head.  Anyway, I think getting them away from this is actually better for them.  There’s so much to do in New York. There’s museums, art, all kinds of crap to keep them busy.  I know they’ll forget all this in a year, just like I did.  They won’t want to leave.  We’ll be a family.  I think it’ll be kind of neat actually, having them there.  My place is big and it’s kind of drab with just me and my occasional dinner guests.  

Kids are no problem.  It’ll be easy, I think, handling them.

“I think I know what I’m doing, Kim,” I grunt, and bend down to pick Davey up so I can get him in the car.  “I run the biggest brokerage firm in Manhattan, hell...probably the world.  I’d appreciate a little bit of faith from you.”

She crosses her arms and says: ‘Hmph’ before getting into the limousine.

“AHHHHHHHHHHH!”

I yank him off the ground anyway, even though he screams louder, and get into the car, pulling him with me.  He hangs onto the doorframe, making it impossible for the chauffeur to close the door behind us without crushing his fingers.  I take the initiative, and pry his little fingers from the metal surface.  He cries even louder, I think I can hear Austin shouting something about me being an unfit person to raise kids, but I don’t even say anything.  The moment I get Davey’s hands to safety, the chauffeur closes the door, and I belt him down next to me with the seatbelt.
 
“Damn.” I groan and put a hand over my face, as Davey continues to whimper.  I don’t mind.  It’s better than listening to him scream.  Soon we are on our way. The limousine winds it’s way back through the cemetery behind everybody else’s car.  I don’t look back.  At one point Davey tries to look back over his shoulder to get one last glimpse of the open graves, but I shout at him to sit down, and he snaps back forward, fixing his gaze down on his lap and nothing else.

“When were you thinking of leaving?”  Kim speaks up suddenly, her voice raspy and shaking because she’s still torn up about the funeral service.

I feel Austin’s eyes on me, but I don’t pay attention to him.  It’s what he wants.  He wants me to feel bad, to tell him we’ll stay a few extra days.  No fucking way in hell, kid.  “You called the realtor and the estate salesman?”

She nods only slightly.  

“Well, if we start packing the boys up tonight, I might be able to get a jet out tomorrow afternoon or evening.  If not then, definitely early the next day.”

She presses her lips together for a moment, seemingly trying not to break down crying in front of me.  “Give us one last day...tomorrow, please.  I’ll do all their packing, and I’ll take care of the sale of the house for you.  You won’t hear from us again.  Just...please let us have one last day with them.”

I sigh.  One day could turn into five days, for all I know.  She’s too stuck on the kids.  She can’t detach herself from them and it’s not good for anybody involved.  They need to move on, grow up, and be independent.  If I knew I wouldn’t face dire consequences, I would pack the essentials tonight and just fly commercial.  But damn, I mean...I can’t be that cold hearted.  They just watched their parents get buried and I can allow them the rest of today to grieve a little bit.  “We really need to get moving,” I tell her softly.

“Justin.”

I allow myself to look her in the eyes.  The woman is begging me for this, like some employee that I’m about fire, groveling for their job.  I feel the surge of power rush through me, and it’s hard not to smile.

“Please,” she croaks.

I sigh again and shake my head a little.  “One day.  That’s it.”

I’m too nice sometimes.
When we get back to the house, Austin bursts out of the car almost before the driver has stopped it, and runs back into the house.  I let him go do his thing, get it out, it’s better that he does it now.  Kim and I get out next, and I stand there, hands on my hips, waiting for Davey to follow.  He doesn’t though.  He sits there in that catatonic daze, like he’s separated himself from the world.  “Davey...let’s go,” I say, trying to keep the patient sound my voice.

He just sits there.

“I’ll handle this,” Kim says, practically shoving me out of the way as she moves closer to the open car door.  “There are some keepsakes in the attic.  The estate salesman asked if you would go through them and remove any items you’d like to take with you.  Otherwise, they’ll go to auction.”

I really doubt I’ll find anything worth keeping, but because I’m so annoyed with Davey, I decide to go have a look anyway.  When I go back into the house, I see Austin sitting in the kitchen, with some of the other family members, eating a large piece of chocolate cake.  I stop, and smirk a little bit.  “Feeling better?”

He frowns.  “Go jump off a cliff.”

I’m fucking sick of this shit.  I walk towards him slowly, keeping the pleasant smile on my face as I do so, as to not give the others any ideas.  “Can we have a moment?” I ask them.

They stare at me long and hard, before one of the men coaxes them all to follow him into the other room.  I sit, watch Austin shove some more cake in his face, and look over my should quickly before I go through with my game plan.  I grasp his wrist as he attempts to bring another forkful of cake to his mouth, and smirk at him as he stares at me with wide, frightened eyes.  “Listen you little punk,” I whisper.  “You might get away with this attitude here, but believe me, things are going to change real fast once we go to New York.  I’m not going to tolerate your crap.  There’s special schools for kids like you, you know? Places that teach you how to show respect to the people that take care of you.  If you’re not careful, I might just send you away to one.”

He stares at me, his gaze defiant, and I know that if he were a little older he’d probably try to punch me in the face.  “Let go of me,” he says through clenched teeth.

I shove his hand away, and laugh slightly, before roughly knocking his cake off the table.  It splatters all over the floor, and he looks back at me immediately, his bottom lip trembling.  He’s afraid, and that’s good.  

“Clean it up,” I snap at him, before storming out of the kitchen.

I’m so fucking pissed.  So fucking pissed.  I climb the stairs two at a time, and thrust the attic door open harshly.  “Damn it!”
I pick up the nearest object to me and toss it across the attic, sending it crashing into the wall.  The sound of glass shattering rips through my ears, and I know I probably shouldn’t have done that.  Shit, I lost it back there.  He’s just a kid.  Just a kid, and he’s angry.  He doesn’t know any better, and here I am, threatening him.

Maybe I have built up aggression inside of me too...

No, that’s silly.

I sit down next to a small stack of boxes, and pull one of them onto my lap.  It’s old, really old.  Dust coats the top, where it was taped shut long ago.  I blow the dust off and cough a little when some of it gets up my nose.  Then I look down and...that’s when I see it.  One simple name scrawled out in what could only be my mother’s handwriting.

Justin

I don’t want to open it.  I feel like if I do, I’ll remember too much, feel guilty about too much.  But damn it...they’re going to auction this stuff off if I don’t, and it’s my stuff...so...I guess I’ll look.

The tape comes apart easily due to it’s age, and when I open the box, I can feel a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth, dying to be released.  I don’t let it.  I suck in a breath and reach inside, feeling my heart begin to race a little bit faster when I feel my hands close around the soft material.  I pull it out.  Yellow and white, grass stain on the top right shoulder that my mom had never been able to get out.  Rockets is spelled out across the front of it in shiny metallic fabric.  I flip it over.  Timberlake. 4.  My soccer jersey.  It’s uncanny that she saved it.  I told her to throw everything out that night...that night I left.  I told her I didn’t care, that I wasn’t coming back

But she saved it.

I shove it back harshly and kick the box across the floor.  I feel something creeping down my face, and I quickly reach up, wiping it away.  Wetness.  No. I will not fucking cry.  I’m strong. I’m better than it.

I don’t care that they’re dead.

Fuck.

I sob so quietly into my hands, for such a long time.  Nobody knows.  Nobody can hear me, and I’m glad.  I didn’t cry at the funeral, so this is my grievance period I guess, and when I go back downstairs I’ll be over it.  I need to set an example for the boys.  Show them how strong I can be even though our parents are dead and buried.  Maybe then they’ll snap out of their funk, and rejoin society. Life will be a hell of a lot easier that way.

Damn it. What am I doing? I can’t stay here another day.  I just can’t.  I have to get out, go home, tonight.

I jump to my feet, and leave the attic.  I know...I know what I told Kim but I feel so fucking overwhelmed and sick with the memories of my parents and my childhood.  I want to stop remembering.  I just want to go back to the city where it all makes sense, where I can lose myself in my work, and Trace’s stupid sarcastic sense of humor.

I gotta leave.  I have to.

When I get back downstairs, I spot the boys sitting on the couch with Kim, wrapped in her arms.  Everybody else has seemed to disappear from the house, which I’m thankful for.  It will be easier to go back on my word this way.  I can just call the limo, get the boys, and go.  “I just got a call,” I say after a moment of watching them.  “Something’s come up...at my firm.  I have to leave tonight.”

She slowly looks over at me, and pulls the boys closer to her.  “We agreed on one more day.”

I shove my hands in my pockets and look down at my shiny dress shoes.  “I can’t help that something’s come up,” I tell her.  “Get them ready.”

“No.”  

Davey is whimpering and Austin has buried his face in her chest.  She doesn’t let go of them, and continues to look at me with hatred in her eyes.  

“I mean it,” I grunt.  “Get them ready.”  I pull out my phone and dial the chauffeur, telling him to meet me at the house in a couple of hours.  

“You promised me only a few hours ago, that they could spend one more day,” Kim reiterates.  “Are you even human? Do you have any kind of a heart?”

“I’m not going,” Austin says, keeping his head turned into her chest.  “Don’t let him take me,” he sobs.

She rubs his back gently, and sobs a little bit.  “Do you see what you’re doing?”

I don’t say anything.  I can’t.  If I do, I might have a change of heart and I know that I can’t.  I dial Cheryl quickly, and she picks up on the first ring.  “I need a flight, tonight,” I tell her quietly.  

“Private?”

“I don’t care.”

“Hang on.”  I hear her clicking her mouse around.  “I can get you on the first class out of Memphis at nine tonight.”

“Do it.”

I snap my phone closed.  “My next call will be to the sheriff,” I threaten when she doesn’t move from her position.  “Get them ready.  Austin, go pack your carry on, and make sure you bring something for Davey to do.”

None of them move.  I’m not used to this, people not doing what I tell them, and I can feel myself getting angrier and angrier.  Shit, what was that guy on that self help tape saying? Breathe in....breathe out....through the nose...let the anger float through the air...something.

I breathe in and out.  In an out, in and out...

It’s not working.

“No...no...”

Austin is whimpering, and when I look up I find that Kim has gotten both boys up from the couch.  

“You have to do this,” she whispers to them.  “It’s the best thing right now.  I’ll visit.”  She leans down and kisses each of their cheeks.  “I’ll visit as soon as I can.”

I don’t understand why she’s so close to them.  When I was young, she never came around.  Nobody did.  It was only when my mom had Austin years later, and then Davey, did any of our extended family seem interested in us.  By then it was too late.  I was outcasted by them for some reason.  I never understood, but I never cared enough to ask.

“C’mon, Davey.”  Austin pulls his brother along by the hand, and storms off down the hallway towards their bedroom. Neither of them look at me, not that I would expect them to anyway.  I’m rushing them.  Deep down I know it’s wrong.  They need at least until tomorrow but I just...I can’t do it.  I can’t make that sacrifice, because it’s too painful for me...being here.

I’m a fucking coward, hidden behind a thousand dollar suit.

Aunt Kim seemed to know exactly how to fit all the boys’ clothes and favorite toys into four medium sized suitcases, and she had it all done within a two hour time period.  If I gave a damn, I probably would have complimented her efforts, but I didn’t.  I sat on the sofa the entire time she was getting the boys ready, watching Bloomberg Televison, making sure to take notes and trade a few shares via my Blackberry.  I was excited because Trace had been right about the Energizer Battery deal.  We made windfall profits, and it was the first time I smiled all day.  I was so wrapped up in the earnings, in fact, that I barely remembered where I was.  The sudden blaring of the car horn outside was the only thing that jolted me back into the moment, and when I checked my watch, I realized it was exactly the time I’d told the driver to come pick us up.

The boys were lead back out into the living room by Kim.  Davey was hanging his head low, and Austin just looked pissed off.  I flicked off the tv, and nodded at them as I got up from the sofa.  “Ready?”

Kim nodded, but none of them spoke to me.

We made our way out to the limousine, and the chauffeur immediately opened the door so we could get in, before running over to the spot where our luggage rested so he could load up the trunk.  I slipped my sunglasses over my eyes and started to get in the limo, but paused and looked back over my shoulder.  The boys weren’t following me.  Austin was clinging to his Aunt, begging her to do something.

“Please don’t let him take me away,” he cried.  “Please!”

“I’m sorry baby,” she whimpered, half eyeing me.  Davey grabbed onto her waist then too, and buried his face in the bottom of her dress.  

“Let’s go.”

I yanked Davey away from her, and he cried out a little, but I forced him into the limousine before he could make a scene.  Austin still wouldn’t move though, and I knew getting him to listen to me wasn’t going to be easy.  “Austin,” I said impatiently.

“But...but he’s mean,” Austin continued to whine to his aunt, disregarding me all together.  “He doesn’t care about us, Auntie Kim.  He doesn’t.”

I stepped forward and grabbed him by the arm like I had done to Davey.

“No!”  He resisted me, but I maintained a firm grip on his arm.  “Aunt Kim! Help me!”

“C’mon, damn it,” I grunted, finally pulling him hard enough where he was forced move with me.  “Get in the car.”  I shoved him in next to his brother, and quickly slammed the door in his face.  I could hear him pounding on the door, but I knew the chauffeur I hired was smart enough to set the child locks before hand.

“You’re awfully rough,” Kim said to me, her voice hardly more than a whisper.  Her make up ran all down her face, and I knew she’d been crying for most of the day.  “If you hurt them...”

“I’m not going to hurt them,” I groaned.  “They need discipline.  All kids do.”

She stared at me for a moment, as if she was about to tell me something, but then she hesitated.  “I’ll write.”

“Don’t.” I shook my head.  “It’s better for them if they forget about this place, and about you.  We’ll have everything we need, there’s no need to contact us, and if you try, you won’t get far.”

“Bastard,” she whimpered.  

I didn’t say anything, just shook my head, and once I was confident the driver had finished loading the bags into the trunk, I opened the door, and got into the limo myself.  Austin tried to climb over me, screaming out for his Aunt, but I quickly shoved him down into his seat, and the driver made sure to close the door for me.  

“I hate you!” Austin screamed and started to beat me on the chest with his fists.  I eyed Davey while it was happening, and found he was staring at us with wide eyes, obviously frightened.  

“You know,” I said, as I roughly pushed Austin off of me.  “You’re scaring Davey.”

I think he realized then, that I wasn’t going to give in and bring him back.  I didn’t care if he was upset, or scared, and I think he understood that then, because he started to calm down.  “It’s a big world, Austin,” I sighed and opened the mini fridge so I could toss him a club soda, while I poured myself a glass of wine.  “There’s more to it than this half assed town.  I want to show you what you’re missing out on.”

He crossed his arms, and wouldn’t look at me the rest of the car trip.

“Mr. Timberlake.”

My eyes slowly drift open, and I start to wonder how long I’ve been out for as I stare up into the kind face of the flight attendant.  “Yeah...” I rasp.

“I just wanted to tell you that we’ll be landing shortly,” she tells me with a smile.  “Would you or your little guys like a refreshment?”

I slowly look over at them.  Austin demanded a window seat, so naturally I gave in.  He’s leaning against it, his mouth half open as he sleeps.  Davey is leaning on his shoulder, passed out cold as well.  Before this they’d never flown before.  Davey cried and clung to me as we took off, while Austin sort of gripped the arms of his seat and held his breath.  It was a pretty uneventful flight, other than that.  Austin and I didn’t argue.  He busied himself with his Nintendo DS once we reached the right altitude, and Davey watched a movie on the portable dvd player Austin packed for him.  I was glad to get some time to myself, to veg out, and put my head back together again.  “Maybe just a water for me.”  I clear my throat a little and sit up in the plush leather chair.  “Thanks.”

“Sure thing.”

She pours me a tall glass of water, and places it gently on top of a fresh napkin before moving on to the other first class passengers.  I guzzle it down and then... I wait for my life to restart.

It’s raining in Manhattan.  My driver, a native Jamaican man named Quincy, meets us shortly after we walk off the airplane, with provisions to suit.  

“Didn’t know what you’d need, sir,” he says to me.  “Miss Cheryl said to bring plenty of snacks and umbrellas.”  He holds up one of those reusable Whole Foods bags, that’s been loaded up with shit.

“Quince,” I chuckle a little, and turn to make sure both boys are with me.  “It doesn’t take long to get home.”

“I know sir” he chuckles.  “Just didn’t know what your mood would be like.”

I nod a little.  “Let’s go.”

He leads the way, and I motion for the boys to follow me.  We stop at the doorway, and I make sure the boys have some kind of coat on, before we venture outside.  Quincy holds a large umbrella over all three of us, and I make sure to keep both boys close to my side.  I feel one of them pressing their face into long overcoat, and when I look down, I realize that it’s Austin doing it instead of Davey.  Well...maybe he’s starting to change his attitude already.

A black Cadillac Escalade pulls up to the curb soon enough, and Quincy holds the door open as I usher the boys in first.  Thunder booms as I get myself inside the car, and Davey covers his face with his hands quickly.  We pull away from the curb soon after, and are whisked off into the night.  I watch Austin from the corner of my eye as I gently ruffle Davey’s hair, doing my best to calm his fear of the thunder.  Austin is looking out the window, gazing out at the city flashing by him.  I know it must be pretty amazing for him to see it for the first time.  He’s never been outside of Tennessee before, never seen anything as grand as Manhattan before.  “Hey...maybe tomorrow you could do some sight seeing,” I offer.  “I have to be at the office, but I can have somebody take you around.”

He looks back over his shoulder.  “No thanks.”

I rub my thighs and grit my teeth, having to tell myself that it’s only the first night.  That he’ll grow out of it.  “Fine.”

“I want to go back to Memphis,” he huffs.

I just roll my eyes and shake my head.

What a great homecoming.

My phone rings and I answer it.  It’s one of my board members.  He’s relieved to hear from me, and excited to discuss the Energizer trade.  I melt away, back to Wall Street, forgetting about Austin looking miserably out the window, forgetting about Davey, falling asleep at my side once again.  Forgetting about the past few days, and the things that I left back in Memphis, like my dead parents.

I push it all away, because that’s what I’m good at.

It’s time to get back to business, and that’s exactly what I wanted all along.
Three by ialwayzbesingin
One month later

“Shit...shit...”

I pull and tug harshly, my legs astride, my pantyhose slowly ripping up the sides as I desperately try to free my high heeled shoe from this grate in the sidewalk.  Fuck, this can’t be happening today.  Today is too important, and I can’t afford to be late.  At the same time though, I can’t afford to walk into this thing with just one heel on either.  Jesus.  Why me?

When I went to college, I figured majoring in marketing was the right way to go.  A lot of people told me, including my teachers, that I would be able to find a job right after I graduated.  As it turns out, marketing happens to be such an easy degree to get, everybody seems to be doing it.  It’s been six years since I got out of school, and I still have yet to find a job in my field. Everybody has either been offering me unpaid internships, or hasn’t bothered to call me back regarding my application.   I’ve been sleeping on my best friends couch, mooching off my parents and her for food and money.  It’s really terrible, totally not the way I want to be living, and if I ever end up getting a job, I know I’ll be able to repay them. I promised myself that I would.

So, when my best friend Charlene told me that Goldman Sachs was going to be conducting a few open interviews for marketing positions, I figured it was too good to be true.  Everyone knows how hard it is to get into that firm, especially since it’s run by such a tyrant.  I asked her why they’d suddenly decided to hire people off the street, to which she responded that Justin Timberlake liked to do that every couple of years.  She said it was how he got started in the business, because somebody gave him a chance without a college degree.  Charlene is kind of out there though, so maybe she was making that up.  No matter, I still called, and surprisingly enough, still got an interview.  I talked to some guy...I can’t remember his name right now.  He asked me a bunch of stupid questions about myself, like what my family values were like and if I drank a lot of booze.  I didn’t really understand, but I answered his questions as best I could without sounding like a loser.  Everything was working out...I was hopeful and excited...

But now my shoe is stuck in the sidewalk.

“C’mon...” I tug.  “Please!” I yank extra hard this time, and the thing comes flying up, causing me to fall right on my ass in the middle of the city sidewalk.  Several people snicker as they pass me by, and I feel like such a total moron.  I push myself to my feet after a moment, and dust off my skirt.  Thankfully, there was no permanent damage done to my shoe, only to my pantyhose.  I reach into my purse and find my hairspray and spend the next couple of minutes trying to patch the rip.  It sort of works, but not completely.  I can still see a run.  No matter, if I just cross my legs, maybe they won’t even notice.
 
I pray that’s the case.

Taking in a long breath, I walk up the large marble steps, yank open the gold trimmed doors and step inside the building.  It’s immaculate inside of course, just like I expected it would be.  I waltz up to reception, proud of myself for getting it together, and stand there for several moments before the girl at the desk finally notices me.

“Yes?”

“Umm...my name is Abbey Feldman,” I state with a shaky voice.  “I-I’m here for an interview.”

She huffs and pull out an appointment book, scanning a large list of names with her eyes, before meeting my gaze again.  “Right, you need the thirtieth floor.  Just see Cheryl.  She’ll get you set up.”

I smile.  “Thanks.”

She points me toward the elevators, and I start toward them just as the doors are closing.  Thankfully, somebody catches it, and holds them open for me.  I smile at the young man as I step inside the elevator.  “Thank you.”

“Sure.”

He has a cocky little smirk on his face, and the first thing I notice about him, is how little he is...for a guy anyway.  He has short brown hair that’s been ruffled with some gel, giving it that ‘slept in’ look, and he’s wearing a dress shirt, but it’s rolled up at the sleeves.  He doesn’t wear a tie, and has jeans on instead of slacks.  It’s sloppy, and I have no idea what he’s even doing here.

“You new here?” He asks me.

“Not yet,” I chuckle.  “I’m here for the open interview.”

He seems to consider this for a moment.  “Marketing?”

I nod.

“Cool.  Good luck.  Don’t let Justin intimidate you too much,” he snickers.

I freeze.  “I don’t think I’ll be talking to him,” I say, nervously.

“Well, who do you think does the hiring around here,” he laughs.  “He’s picky as hell, and he sure isn’t about to let some moron in human resources choose his employees.  Everybody that works under him, right down to the maintenance staff, has been hand picked by him.  When he took over, he wiped the place clean and started from scratch.

Shit.  I never even considered the prospect of that. I mean, the richest guy in Manhattan, interviewing me for this job? Shit, my stockings are ripped.  I can’t go talk to Justin Timberlake wearing ripped stockings like some kind of transient.  “Oh god.”  I press the button for the first floor harshly.  “I...I have to go change.”

“Whoa, relax,” the guy tells me.  “Just go with the flow, girl.”

“Easy for you to say,” I tell him glumly.  “You’re not about to go in for the biggest interview of your life.”

He laughs.  “True enough.  The name is Trace.”

He sticks out his hand for me, and I shake it.  “Abbey Feldman,” I sigh, and then snap to attention a little bit when I remember something.  Trace.  I know that name.

Oh shit.

“I talked to you on the phone.”  I pull my hand away from him and bite my lip.  Fuck, this guy is a partner, and here I am freaking the hell out in front of him like a child.

He shrugs and laughs a little.  “I talked to a lot of people this week.  Don’t worry, I don’t think any less of you for freaking out a little.  I can still remember when my life was like yours.  I can tell that you really need this job.  I hope you get it.”

“Thanks.” I mutter it and look down at my shoes.  No matter what he says, I still feel like an asshole.  I made an idiot out of myself, and I’m sure after Justin Timberlake turns me down for this job, the two of them will have a good laugh about how much of a dumbass I turned out to be.

“You like kids?”

The elevator stops on the thirtieth floor after he asks me the question and we both walk out together.  He has a sly smirk on his face, like he’s up to something, but I’m too terrified to ask him what it is.  

“I um...I mean, in general I guess I do,” I say quickly.  “I don’t have any...but, why are you asking?”

“You just seem like you’d do well with kids.  You have patience,” he laughs and stops in front of a random doorway.  “The office you need to be in is at the end of the hallway.  Good luck.”

He disappears behind a door and quickly closes it behind him.  Now I’m alone in the hallway, and when I take a look around, I realize I must be on the executive level, because it’s very plush and fancy up here.  Even fancier than downstairs. Off to my far right I can see a glass window, and as I approach it, I realize it’s a gym.  A very immaculate gym.  There’s a bunch of guys playing squash and using the treadmills.  There’s a hot tub with a big screen tv as well.  I guess Justin treats his people pretty well.

But according to the articles I’ve read, he can be cold hearted, down right mean, and very, very selfish.

I feel like I have no chance, but still I press on.  I mean, I’ve come this far, and to turn back now would be a waste.

I place my hand on the doorknob, glancing at the little gold sign that is nailed to the door.  It reads: ‘Justin Timberlake, Chairman and CEO, Cheryl Weiss, executive assistant to Mr. Timberlake’. I swallow hard, take a deep breath...and then I push the door open.

The outer part of the office is white, serene. A giant picture window to my right gives a breathtaking view of the city skyline, and I feel like I could stare out of it all day.  The furniture is contemporary, square and uncomfortable looking, and when I look over at the secretary typing away in front of a computer on the other side of the room, I feel bad for her.  That chair she’s sitting in looks excruciatingly painful to sit on, but I guess she must make enough money to help her ignore it.

“Are you Abbey?”  The woman looks up and asks me the question in pleasant, but professional tone.

“Yes,” I say quietly. I assume this is Cheryl, but I’m too on edge at the moment to ask her about herself.

She smiles a little bit, and holds up a finger, signaling me to wait a moment as she picks up the phone and presses a button.  “Sir?  Yes, she’s right here.  Okay.”  She hangs up and looks at me again.  “Go on in,” she smiles.  “He’s waiting for you.”

I approach the next door cautiously, and I can feel Cheryl’s eyes on me when my hand lands on the doorknob.  I don’t look back though.  I can’t.  If I do, I’ll never go inside this man’s office.  

I push the door open.  The first thing I see is him, back to me, staring out the window.

The office is breathtaking.  It’s all windows, no walls except on the side of the room that the door is on.  The whole place is one big panoramic view of the city, and I’m so damn jealous of this man.  He gets to sit in here and gaze out, let his mind drift as he runs this company.  He doesn’t have to worry about stupid things like rent and food.  But I shouldn’t be so bitter.  I haven’t even said hello yet.

“Close the door,” he says softly.

I do it, and just stand there.  He doesn’t turn around.  I stare at his backside.  He’s dressed formally, nice black blazer and slacks, his hair curly but gelled down so the frizz won’t show.  I begin to wonder what he was like before all of this.  Before gorgeous offices and billions of dollars.  Was he ever like me? Broke and desperate? I have no idea.  If he was, I’m sure he’s long forgotten about that time in his life.  Hell, I would.

“It’s Amanda right?”

I swallow and suck in a breath.  “Um...it’s Abbey.”

He turns around and licks his lips a little.  He looks a lot nicer than his partner did.  He actually has a tie on, and his face isn’t full of stubble.  He has a close, clean, smooth shave, an expensive looking one.  I bet he has one of those three hundred dollar razors in his bathroom that I’ve seen at Bed Bath and Beyond.  The kind with the charging base and self cleaning function.  

“Sorry...Abbey.”

I nod.

“Have a seat.”

He motions me to sit down in front of his large mahogany desk.  I do it, and I’m thankful when the chair is more comfortable than it looks.  He sits down immediately after and drums his fingers on top of the desk, studying me with his eyes.  It’s the first thing I notice...that his eyes are really nice.  They’re a metallic crystal blue, the kind that can tear into your soul and make your heart beat like crazy.  I can’t lie, I’ve seen this guy on dozens of magazine covers before.  It’s always been his eyes that have made me stop and look, and now that I’m sitting before him, I find that they’re even more breathtaking.

“Mr. Timberlake...”I say, trying not to sound flustered.  “I...”

“Are you married?” He blurts out, disregarding everything I was about to say.

My mouth hangs open for a second, before I remember myself.  “Um...no...”

“Engaged?”

He’s not happy.  The more I study him the more I can tell...he’s just fucking tired.  The bags under his eyes are starting to become more clear to me as I sit here and stare at him.  He’s not so perfect like I thought he was.  Something must be going on in his personal life, but it’s really none of my concern.  Right, and my personal life is suddenly the topic of the moment.  Go figure.  “I’m...” I pause and sigh.  I’d rather not talk about this.  Talking about it makes it harder, makes me remember, and I hate that.

I hate remembering him.

I hate it so much, because I miss him so bad.

“I’m single,” I croak.

My response seems to make him perk up slightly, and he sits a little higher in his chair.  “Are you good with kids?”

I don’t get this.  Shouldn’t he be asking me about my educational background? My talents? What I think I can bring to this company?  “Somebody else asked me that too, on the elevator,” I laugh.  “Is there some kind of special project you have going on here?”

He doesn’t laugh, just stares me down like I’m a piece of garbage.  “I’ll ask you again.  Are you good with kids?”

I look down at my lap for a moment, feeling foolish for trying to joke with somebody like him.  “I guess if I had to be, I could be.  I don’t mind them, if that’s what you mean.”

He nods.  “Do you have any diseases or any weird habits I should know about?”

This time I look at him like he’s crazy.  What kind of an interview is this?  Is Justin really this eccentric? Does he have some kind of child labor force in the basement, that he wants me to supervise? It’s a scary thought and disturbing that I would actually consider it a possibility.  “No,” I say.

“Good.  I think you’ll do.”  He gets up from his chair and goes to look out the window again.

“So...so I have the job?” I say, trying to contain my excitement.

“Well...”  He turns around slowly and crosses his arms as he meets my gaze.  “It’s not exactly the position you’re applying for, but the pay is the same.  At the end of the day, all that really matters is the money in your pocket, anyway.  I’m willing to give you a chance to become a part of this team.  You seem very gentle.  Davey needs that.”

I cock my head to the side.  “Davey?”r32;
“I need somebody to look after my brothers,” he tells me, bluntly.  “Austin is twelve.  He just started at Dalton, so he’ll be out of your hair in the mornings.  Davey...” he trails off and sighs.  “Davey is eight.  He’s having a small issue, but I’m trying to work through that so he can start school again soon.  Right now I have a tutor coming twice a week to work on some things with him.  While he’s there, you can run the errands I leave for you.  I have a housekeeper, Lucinda.  She can help you, but I like to keep her in the house mostly, because she gets it clean.  She does all the cooking too, so you don’t have to worry about that.”

I just stare at him, partially shocked as he stares back at me, like everything makes complete sense to him.  He’s basically just waiting for me to say ‘when can I start?’, like being his fucking nanny is the opportunity of a lifetime or something.  Is he fucking kidding me? I was supposed to be getting a job in my field!  “You want me to be your nanny,” I say, quietly, so as to not expose my anger.

“I want you to work for me.  What difference does it make what you’re doing? In case you wanted to know, my marketing department is overstaffed, just like the rest of the corporations in the city.  I looked at your resume.  I know what you want, and you can’t find a position anywhere, can you?”

He’s smirking, like I don’t have a choice here.  

Well I do have a choice.

I get up from the chair harshly and begin to storm angrily over to the door.

“Good luck with that job hunt, huh?” He calls back to me.  “I mean, once they find out I turned you down for a job here, they’re probably going to second guess giving you a job in their company.”

I turn back to him.  He’s back at his desk again, playing with a pen and smiling to himself.  This guy is a jerk. The biggest asshole ever.  His poor brothers.  I mean, they must really hate living with him.  He probably talks down to them and treats them like lesser beings.  “What do you mean you turned me down? I’m the one that’s leaving!” I scoff.

He nods and purses his lips together.  “Well, I can make it look a lot different on paper.”

I hate this.  I hate that I’m walking back over to him, and sitting back down in the chair.  I need to leave.  I can’t be a nanny.  I mean...I know I said I don’t mind kids, but I don’t know anything about looking after them either.  Shouldn’t he be hiring somebody from a nanny service?  I just don’t get it, and I’m so confused that I could scream.  

“Reconsidering?”  He tosses me a cocky grin.

“How much?” I say, through clenched teeth.

“Fifty grand to start, plus benefits.  We’ll see where it goes from there.”

Fuck, that’s a ton of money.  I need it, I need it badly, and he knows that.  Fucking asshole.  I shake my head and rub my face with my hands.

“Can you start today?”

I look up at him.  “What?”

“You’re taking the job, right?” He says the words very slowly, like I’m an idiot.  

“I...”  I trail off, hating myself for what I’m about to do.  “I need this job.”

“Good.”  He reaches into his pocket, a retrieves a small notepad, which he tears a piece of paper out of and slides over to me.  “Tell Cheryl to call my driver for you.  I need you to go to Bloomingdales and fill this list.  They’ll bill it to my account.  Then have him take you home, and get acquainted with Lucinda.  When I get home, you can go get whatever you need from your place.  I’ll need you to move in right away.”

“Move in?” I gasp.

“I never know when I’ll be around and when I won’t be.  It’s easier this way.  I’ll always know where you are, so I won’t have to call you every hour when I need something done.  Lucinda does it.  She has for years, and it’s worked out well.”

“If she lives with you,” I say, the anger apparent in my voice this time.  “Why can’t she watch over the kids?”

“C’mon, I’m not going to burden her with that,” he snickers.  “She does enough, and besides, she speaks very little English.  I mean, I’m fluent in Spanish so it’s not a problem but the boys aren’t yet.  It’ll be harder for them being alone with her, and they’ve been through enough stress.  They don’t need that too.”

“Um, I don’t speak Spanish either.”

“Get a translator at the store when you go,” he provides.  “Spanish is easy enough to learn.  I picked it up in about a month.”

Yeah, that’s great.  Gee, he’s just wonderful.  He has an answer for fucking everything.  Not only do I have to be a nanny, I have to pack up my life, live in a strange man’s house, and learn to speak spanish on top of it.  What the hell have I gotten myself into? Why couldn’t Trace have warned me about this on the damn elevator?

Oh yeah, because he probably couldn’t care less what happens to me.

“We’re done here,” he tells me, with a wave of his hand.  “I’ll make it a point to be home at a decent time, so you can get yourself together.”  He glances at his wrist watch.  “Oh you’ll have to get Austin from school too.  Cheryl can tell you where it is.  You can walk there right from my place. He gets out at three, so you can probably fill that list before then, if you hustle.”

“I...”

The phone on his desk rings and he doesn’t look at me again as he picks it up.  “Yeah.  Yeah...what? No! I told you to sell! Sell, you fuckin’ moron! God, do I have to do everything my fucking self Wayne? Why the hell do I pay you?”

I don’t move.  I’m frozen.  It took about ten minutes for my entire life to change and I have no idea what to think.  Should I really be going through with this? I wish I could talk to Justin more, but its apparent to me that he doesn’t want to talk.  He just wants to order me around like a robot, and send me a check at the end of every week.  He doesn’t care about me, if his brothers will even like me.  He doesn’t care about them either.  If he did, he wouldn’t need other people to raise them.

He only cares about himself.r32;
“Amanda!”

I snap to attention, even though that isn’t my name.  “Abbey.”

“Get to work,” he grunts, and waves me away harshly.  “Go!”

I rush out of the office, and yank the door closed behind me.  I suck in a breath, and let out a tiny sob as I lean against the door.  I should just leave.  This is a bad situation.  This guy isn’t just a tyrant, he’s a fucking psycho.

“So you’re taking the job!” Cheryl smiles at me pleasantly.  “Justin sent me the email just now.  Congratulations.  Here, I’ve taken the liberty of creating a folder for you of all the information you might need.”  She gets up and walks over to me, handing me a large red folder.  “If you have a question, ever, make sure you call me.  Never...ever, call Justin directly, even if it’s an emergency.”

“Why?” It’s the only thing I can seem to get out.

“Do you want to get fired?” She chuckles.  

I shake my head.  

“Good.  I called the driver for you as well.  He’ll meet you out front in about twenty minutes.  Have a good night, Abbey.”

“You too,” I mutter.  Well, at least somebody can remember my name.  I watch her walk back over to her desk, and she immediately gets back to whatever she was doing before I walked out of Justin’s office.  I linger for another minute or so, being able to hear Justin yelling in his office from time to time, before I force myself to walk out and take the elevator back downstairs.  What the hell have I done?  Should I ask to take a night to think about this? No, because if I do, he’ll tell me to take a hike.  I need this job.

There is no other choice.
************
I met Quincy out front of the Goldman Sachs building.  He dresses nice, formal suit and tie, complete with a chauffeur's cap.  Part of me wondered if Justin required the getup, but Quincy seems like the type of guy who doesn’t care either way as long as he has a job.  He’s nice, funny.  The first thing he said to me was ‘ah, so you're the new girl he’s hired.  Watch out miss, you're in for a bumpy ride.’

He laughed like a crazy man as he opened the large black Escalade’s door for me, and normally I would have scowled even more.  But I guess I was so stressed out over what I agreed to take on, that Quincy was acting as a comic relief in a way.  I’m thankful for him.  I hope he never leaves.

Justin’s list was massive.  I wasn’t even prepared for what I was about to take on when Quincy dropped me off in front of Bloomingdales.  The paper had the word GALA as the heading.  The list included more than one hundred table cloths, matching napkins, glasses, plates, and just about every decorative accessory you could think of.  It pissed me off that he hadn’t prepared me.  The people in the store were frantic because we hadn’t prepared them, either.  At first, the lady in the housewares section was even a little snooty with me.

“What is this even for?” she said, looking down her nose at me.

“Justin Timberlake is hosting a benefit.” I answered her because I’d called Cheryl just minutes beforehand while the lady was talking to her boss.  She really is very helpful, and I can’t imagine how she manages to work for Justin day in and day out with a smile on her face.  

The lady’s eyes went so wide when I told her that, I thought she was about to drop dead.  “Mr...Mr. Timberlake? Goldman Sachs Timberlake?”

I nodded.  “Can you fill his list?”

“Oh of course.”

It’s crazy how quickly her attitude changed.

“Please assure Mr. Timberlake that we will put this on the very top of our priority list, and have the order ready by the end of the week,” she smiled at me.  “Is there anything else we can do for you?”

“No...well....” I trailed off, remembering the Spanish speaking housekeeper that I had yet to meet.  “I need a Spanish translator.”

“Hm...I don’t believe we carry that particular product, but I will contact an electronics store, and put it in with your bill.”

I’d never heard of such a thing in my entire life.  Why would one store, call another retailer, and buy that item, simply to convenience Justin and myself?  “Are you sure that’s okay?”

She chuckled.  “Of course dear.  Anything is possible for our best customers.  Just leave everything to us, and please come back again.”

I realized that I had stumbled into a completely different world.  People like Justin lived differently, expected that kind of treatment, and knowing Justin...he would probably throw a fit if he didn’t get his way.  I wondered what it was like to live such a privileged lifestyle, and be so ungrateful, all the way back to Justin’s “place.”

His “place” turned out to be a three story penthouse in the richest area of Manhattan.  When Quincy took me up the elevator, and the doors opened, I could hardly fucking believe where I was.

It might as well be a mansion, just laid out differently.  The rooms are just...so...so huge.  Everywhere you look there’s a piece of expensive looking art, expensive looking fixtures, chandeliers, crystal vases...you name it, it’s here.  Jesus, the guy has a fucking movie theater.  Like, an actual movie theater with two rows of seats.  I’m fucking terrified because there are two little boys here, and I’m sure something is going to get broken sooner or later, if it hasn’t already.  I really don’t want to find out what Justin’s temper will be like if that happens, so I’ve promised myself that I will keep the boys in line when we’re inside the house.  Kids like compromise right? Like, if they dont’ break anything, I’ll get them ice cream.

Yeah...

It might work.

As I stood in the center of the living room, taking it all in, Quincy bid me a good day, and I heard him walk away.  Then Lucinda came out with a large basket of laundry in her arms.  

“Ola, Ola!” She smiled warmly and placed the basket down.  “Eh...Ab...Ab...”

“Abbey,” I smiled as she shook my hand and kissed my cheek.  “Lucinda?”

“Si, Si. Cuando se Senor Timberlake se casa?”

I understood ‘casa’ as home, and the best I could figure was that she was asking me when Justin would be home.  “Uh...noche?”  

“Ah.”  She nodded, but I could see a small smile pulling at her lips, and I figured she didn’t believe me, that she was used to him coming home at random times during the night.

She went back to her laundry after a moment, humming quietly to herself, and since I barely spoke Spanish, I figured it was best to leave our conversation at that.  I was about to sit down on what looked to be the most comfortable couch in the world, until I saw a small figure dash across the room and hide behind the large recliner in the corner.  I knew it had to be Davey, and I slowly made my way over to the area he was hiding.  “Hey there,” I said gently.  “Um...Davey.”

“Ah, el no habla.”  Lucinda spoke up, and sighed heavily.  “Yo no se por que.”

Another spanish word I knew...habla.  It meant speak.  She said ‘no speak’.  He didn’t talk.  I could hear Justin’s voice in the back of my mind saying: ‘He’s having a small issue’

A small issue?

Jesus Christ, the kid didn’t speak!  How the hell was that a “small” issue?

I was ready to kill Justin, and had every intention of telling him off the second he walked through the door.  I didn’t want to show my aggression in front of Davey though.  I really just wanted to get him out from the behind the chair, because we had to leave to pick up Austin.  “Hey Davey...my name is Abbey.”

I heard him whimpering.

“We’re gonna be buds,” I giggled softly.  “You don’t have to be afraid of me.  Why don’t you come out of there, so we can go pick up Austin from school?”

It took him at least ten minutes before he dared to peek his head out from behind the chair.  I smiled.  He was as cute as a button, had short brown hair, and the same piercing blue eyes as Justin.  But the more I looked at him, the more I could tell he was holding in a ton of pain.  His eyes were so sad, and when he crawled out from behind the recliner, I noticed he walked at a sluggish pace, his head hanging low to the ground.  The kid had serious issues, it was obvious, and either Justin wasn’t considering them a big deal, or he simply hadn’t wanted to scare me.

I was sure he just didn’t care.

I took Davey gently by the hand then, and he let me lead him into the next room so we could get his sneakers on.  Then it was time to get Austin, which I was nervous about.  He was older, so he might have been a lot more difficult to deal with, and as we walked the ten blocks over to Dalton, I had no idea what to expect.

It was crazy the shit I had to go through just to pick the kid up.  I had to show my ID, and when that wasn’t enough, they had to call Cheryl to verify I was the person authorized the make the pick up.  Naturally, Justin hadn’t bothered to call the school to change the name they had down, but I should have expected that.

“Did he just hire you today or something?” The teacher, Ms. Parks, asked me.

I sighed.  “Pretty much.”

“If you get a chance, I’d really appreciate it if you could talk Mr. Timberlake into coming down here for a conference.  The woman he sent to the orientation with Austin didn’t speak a word of English.”

It was unreal.  Completely unreal that he would have done that.  I mean, he could of at least sent Cheryl, but I’m sure he wasn’t thinking about it.  He just sent Lucinda so the school could have a body in his seat.  It was fucked up, but I was realizing more and more that it was how Justin ran things.  “I’ll do my best.” I said quietly.  “He’s a little hard to get out of the office.”

“Austin has been here a month now, and is having severe adjustment issues,” she told me, seriously.  “He bickers with the other children and talks back to all the teachers.  I need to speak with an actual guardian about what we can do to get him more involved in classes and proper socialization, not to the nanny who might not be around next week...no offense.”

“No, I understand,” I nodded.  “I’ll tell him.”

It was so much to take on in a day.  It was like every issue in Justin’s personal life had suddenly been placed in my lap.  They were my issues now, my responsibilities.  It was fucked up, but I knew it was what he was paying me for.

Austin was lead out of the school by another teacher, and the moment our eyes met, the  most he could seem to do was scowl at me.  I felt Davey hiding behind me, and the most I could figure was that his brother scared him.  “Hi Austin.”  I forced a smile as the teachers walked away from us.  

He crossed his arms, and frowned.  “Who’re you?”

“I’m Abbey.  I’m...um, going to be looking after you guys while your brother is working.”

Austin rolled his eyes, much like an adult would.  I noticed quickly that he seemed to act more like an adult than he should have had to, and I wondered just how much he’d been through so far in his life.  

“Well I don’t want you here,” he told me sternly.  “Just drop me and Davey off and leave.”

“Can’t do that.”  I took Davey’s hand again and we started to walk.  “It’s my job.”

“Why’d he hire you for?” Austin muttered, as he caught up with Davey and I.  “We don’t need a babysitter.  That’s what the Spanish lady is for.”  

“She doesn’t speak English.” I snickered.  “How can you live like that?”

“Justin said he’ll teach me Spanish, and Davey doesn’t talk anymore so it doesn’t matter.”

I felt like laughing at loud and asking him when he thought Justin would actually come down off his throne and take the time to teach him Spanish, but he was just a kid and I couldn’t hurt his feelings like that.  “Well, until Justin does, you’re stuck with me,” I laughed.  “I’m not so bad.  I promise.”

He didn’t say anything.

“How was school?”

“Dumb.”  He kicked a can in the middle of the sidewalk and walked far ahead of us.

It was a great start to our relationship, needless to say.

Lucinda made a fantastic meal.  Rice and beans mixed with some kind of marinated beef.  She really is a phenomenal cook and Justin is lucky to have her, even though he doesn’t appreciate it.  He didn’t make it home for dinner, probably went out with some of his corporate goons without a thought as to what was going on at home.  I watched a movie with the kids after dinner...some kind of cartoon that almost got Davey to smile.  Austin scowled through the whole thing, and ended up retreating to his room before the credits even began to roll.  I didn’t care...he can do whatever he wants as long as he isn’t mouthing off to me.

Davey fell asleep next to me after the movie ended, and I carried him into his bedroom.  He seemed so at peace with himself as he slept...he actually looked like a youthful child full of energy instead of a depressed mess.  I even kissed his cheek a little.  I surprised myself.  I didn’t think I would become so attached to the little guy on the first day.

Now it’s eleven.  I’m sweaty and uncomfortable and have no clothes to change into because somebody isn’t home yet.  Fucking Justin...fucking bastard.

I hear the front door open and close.  Things drop to the floor, and he’s muttering something to somebody.  My best guess is that Justin is on the phone, and boy am I ever ready to give him a piece of my mind.  I rise from the sofa as he enters the room, phone jammed in his ear.  I open my mouth to speak but he whisks past me and into the kitchen.  I follow.  He’s off his phone now, and is digging around in the fridge.  r32;
“Didn’t she save me a plate?” he mutters as he stands upright again.

“It’s in the oven,” I mutter.

He turns around and raises and eyebrow.  “Oh.”

“Look, Justin...”

“Did you go to Bloomingdales?”  He turns his back to me as he asks so he can reach into the oven and pull his dinner out of it.  

“Yeah.” I grunt.

“Are they on top of it?”

“Of course. Anything for the king.”

I hear silverware clatter onto the table, and I look back up at him.  He looks completely pissed off right now, but I really don’t care.  Not after all the shit I’ve put up with today.  

“Do you have an issue, Amanda?” He seethes.

“First of all, my fucking name is Abbey!” I shout at him.

He stares at me and blinks slowly.

“And you know what? Davey’s small problem...yeah, it ain’t so small.  He doesn’t talk! I mean, how can you consider that small? And Austin...his teacher is livid that you sent Lucinda to the orientation.  She doesn’t even speak English!  The kid isn’t doing well in school at all, did you even know that? What the hell are you doing!  It’s been a day...one day and already I have so much shit to deal with it’s not even funny!”

I’m breathing so heavily right now, and my heart is racing.  I feel like I’m about to explode. Justin on the other hand, isn’t reacting.  He’s not even saying anything.  He’s sitting at the large island in the center of the kitchen, digging into his heaping plate of food with the fork and shoveling it into his face.  

“Look at me!” I bark at him.

He chews for a while, and then swallows.  “Are you finished?”

I stomp my foot.  “No!”

He begins to loosen his tie and laughs.  Laughs for the first time since I met him.  “Look, Amanda...you’re overreacting.”  He pulls his tie off and lays it on the counter top.  “The boys are adjusting, that’s all.”

I’ll kill him the next time he calls me Amanda.  “Do you even care?” I grunt.

He nods.  “I care, and the way I show it isn’t really your concern.  Now, don’t you have some clothes to get together or something?”

I should just walk out, and fuck, if I wasn’t so desperate for a job I probably would.  But I need this.  I do.  Not the mention the fact that the kids will probably slit their wrists if somebody doesn’t start giving them moral support.  Shit.  “Yeah.”

“I gave Quincy the night off so you’ll have to find your own way there and back,” he informs me.  “You can handle that, right?”

He’s pissed at me, but this is his slick way of showing it without shouting.  I realize he’s trying prove how much better than me he is.  I shouldn’t have yelled.  Damn it.  I can’t ever do that again.  I have to learn to beat him at his own game.  ‘Yeah.  I live in New York City, remember?”

He shrugs.  “Pack the essentials and be back before one.  I’m about to go to bed, and there’s no way I’m letting you wake me up.”

“Why don’t you just give me a key?” I say, as I cross my arms.  

“I’ll get to it eventually,” he chuckles.  “That’s another reason I’m having Lucinda stay at the house.  If she’s here you don’t have to hold a set of keys.  She can just let you in.”

He’s so fucking ridiculous.  “What if she’s out?”

He shrugs.  “Better learn enough Spanish to talk about that with her then, huh?”  He shovels more food into his mouth, and starts to play with his Blackberry.  “Oh and by the way, Lucinda got a note from Austin’s teacher a couple of days ago.  He got picked to bring in a treat for his class or something, so I need you to make cupcakes.  They want fifty of them.  Can you handle that?”

I glare at him, confused.  “I thought Lucinda does all the cooking.”

“Oh she doesn’t bake,” he shrugs and laughs a little.  “If she did, it would be some kind of Spanish thing, and the letter stated that they wanted simple cupcakes.”

“When do you need them by?” I grunt.

“Uh...”  He closes his eyes for a moment.  “Oh crap, I think it’s tomorrow.  I’m pretty sure all the ingredients are in the cabinet.  I had Lucinda fill the list, so you can just bake them tonight after you get back.”

My mouth hangs open.  “So when do I sleep? I mean, I have to get Austin up in the morning...”

He stands up and puts his plate in the sink.  “Goodnight.”

“What! No...oh no...”

He ignores me and walks away.

“Justin!”

No response.

This is great.  Just fucking great.

Welcome to hell, Abbey.
Four by ialwayzbesingin
It’s been a month since I moved my brothers to New York City.  I’m not going to act all cocky either and convince myself that the transition was a piece of cake, like I thought it was going to be.  Sometimes I can be wrong, and this was definitely one of those times.   Davey barely slept that first week, and I found myself up at various times throughout the night, consoling him as he shook and cried from some nightmare that I couldn’t understand, because he couldn’t tell me.  It was bad enough where I was forced to work from home a couple of days, because I was so damn tired.  Austin wasn’t helping, either.  He hadn’t started school yet, and I was still working things out with Dalton.  Until then he was going to have to sit tight.  It meant I was stuck in the house with the two of them and Lucinda for most of that first week, and I could barely get any work done.  It pissed me off, made me take it out on Austin since Davey couldn’t exactly talk back to me.

Austin and I have been fighting since the beginning, and it’s just getting worse.

“Don’t they have those military schools?” Trace suggested one morning that I’d managed to escape my place for an hour to have breakfast with him.  “You could send the little shitter there,” he laughed.

I chewed my eggs and raised an eyebrow.  For the smallest fraction of a second the idea almost seemed great, but then I thought about it some more and realized that...it was still a transitioning period for him.  I didn’t like the fact that he was still grieving about his parents, though.  I caught him crying sometimes, and I told him to man up, because it was in the past.  “Nah, I can’t,” I said tiredly.  “He’ll start school soon, and I gotta give him a little bit of a chance to snap out of this.  But in the meantime, it’s like shit...I can’t get anything fucking done.  It’s driving me crazy.”  I rubbed my forehead harshly, and took a long swig of my black coffee.

“How about a nanny or something?”

I shrugged.  One thing I hated, was strangers waltzing in and out of my house.  Lucinda had come to me after careful thought and research, but I knew getting a nanny would involve even more effort on my part, and in all honestly...I just didn’t feel like doing all that work.  “You never know where those people are really coming from though,” I sighed.  

Then he got that gleam in his eyes.  The one that said he’d just thought of something brilliant and I sat up a little bit.  “What is it?” I smirked.

“What if you...like, advertised the job as something else?  Maybe a marketing job or something else that will draw in a bunch of people.  They’ll all be college educated, and once you offer them a good salary they wont’ be able to pass it up.”

I had to hand it to Trace, he came up with the most brilliant fucking ideas.  Part of the reason I’m so fucking rich is because of his business ventures.  It’s why I split most of the earnings with him.  In truth, he’s just as rich as I am, but handles it differently.  He’s more of a casual Friday kind of guy.  He likes to take really extravagant vacations with his girlfriend and her daughter, go shopping, that kind of thing.  I like to invest my money.  I buy property, vacation homes, priceless works of art, cars...things that gain value over time.  We’re really different...me and Trace, but we’re similar in so many ways too.  It’s why he’s my best friend, the most trustworthy person I have in my life, and I guess that’s why I decided to go along with his idea.  “Fine, but you get to take all the phone interviews,” I smirked.  “I’ll do the one on one’s.”

He shrugged.  “If it gets you back in the damn office, I’ll take one for the team, even if it isn’t in my job description.”

“You know how I feel about HR,” I muttered.  “I’m about to fire all those stupid bitches down there.  They’re pissing me off.”
“I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Justin,” he responded.  “But you can’t afford to do that right now.  Quarterly reviews are coming up and you need them to do the dirty work.”

“I hate them all,” I muttered.  “They gossip all day long, and sell their Avon shit in the hallway.”

“Do you want me to send out another memo?” He snorted.  “Because I can.  The last one seemed to put a firm stop to all that for about a week.”

I rolled my eyes.  “I’ll take care of it after quarter reviews,” I huffed.  “Maybe they’ll start singing a different tune, when I cut their pay increases down to one percent.”

Trace just chuckled and concentrated on his breakfast.  He stayed true to his word though, posted the job opening and began conducting phone interviews right away. That was all I really could have asked for.  A week went by, I was able to enroll Austin in Dalton and send him on his way.  It was the first time I was able to breath since I’d been home, knowing Austin would be getting out of the house and doing something with his day.  He was a kid, no matter how old he tried to act, and he needed that kind of stimulation.  He needed somebody to tell him to sit down and shut up besides me too, and I figured paying thirty grand a year to send him to Dalton would do the trick.

The first nanny I hired arrived in my office the following Monday morning, right after my board meeting.  Stocks were up, which had put me in a somewhat pleasant mood, and I guess I must have been nicer than normal to the girl, because she was smiling and laughing all through out our interview.  She seemed nice enough, a little dim, but I expected that.  If Trace had sent a marketing genius walking through my door, I probably would have hired her for the actual position.  I think the thing that sold me on that girl the most though, was that she didn’t bat an eye when I told her what she would actually be doing. She was too busy staring into my eyes, like some stupid, love sick, teenager.

I hired her quickly, and sent her to get me lunch from my favorite restaurant.  She did...but she also got herself something too, which completely pissed me off.  I mean, who does that their first day on the job? It was completely unprofessional.  “It’s my lunch hour, not yours.” I grunted as she handed me the styrofoam carton.  “I’ll take that out of your paycheck.”

She started at me for a moment, not quite sure what to say.  “I...sir...I...”

“You better get moving,” I snapped as I opened the container.  “Austin gets out of school soon.”

I arrived home around nine that night.  Lucinda was there, yammering angrily to herself while she wrapped leftovers, until she noticed me.  I glanced around, and when I didn’t see the boys anywhere, I became slightly concerned.  “Lo que paso?” What happened?

She turned around.  “Que la niñera se quedó dormido en el sofá.” That nanny fell asleep on the sofa.  “Yo no despertarla, pensé que le diría más tarde, pero ... Austin, tomó las tijeras y cortar la cola de caballo mientras ella dormía.”  I did not wake her, I figured I would tell you later, but...Austin, he took the scissors and cut her pony tail off while she was asleep.

My eyes widened.  It was probably better that he was hiding out in his bedroom, as I was sure he was.  Otherwise, I probably would have killed him for fucking up my agenda.

“Yo no sabía hasta que fue demasiado tarde.”  I did not know until it was too late, she sighed. “Ella se fue, yo no creo que ella va a regresar.”  She left, I do not think she is coming back.

“God damn it.”  I gritted my teeth and slapped a hand down on the counter.  “Gracias,” I nodded and kissed her cheek lightly, before she went on her way.  I stood there for a moment more, hating the fact that I was going to have to call Trace up and tell him to do another batch of phone interviews.  It infuriated me that it hadn’t even been a full damn day and the little shit had fucked the nanny plan already.  “Oh, Austin!” I called as I made my way upstairs.  

I looked in on Davey as I made my way down to Austin’s room at the end of the hallway.  He was out cold, which was good, because I didn’t want him to hear me screaming at his brother if I could help it.  I burst through Austin’s door a couple of minutes later, found him sitting on the edge of his bed playing with the X-box I had gotten for him that first week.  He snapped to attention immediately, gasped and dropped his controller when he saw the expression on my face.  I looked up towards his pillows when a flash of bleach blonde caught my eye.  There, on his pillow, rested a large clump of blonde hair.  It was Austin’s trophy, I realized.  I slammed the door closed and stormed over to the bed so I could snatch it up.  “What the hell is this!” I yelled at him.

He ignored me and picked up the game controller again.

I yanked it out of his hands and threw it across the room.  “I asked you a question!”

“She was a bitch.”r32;
I cocked my head to the side.  It was weird hearing him talk like that, but I figured he was such an emotional mess that it was to be expected.  “How so?” I grunted.

“I dunno, she was trying to act like she was my mom or something.  I hated her.  I wanted her gone, and Davey just hid the entire time she was here.  It’s better that she’s gone.”

“That didn’t give you the right to pull this!” I shook the hair in his face.  “Do you know what could happen to me? I don’t need her going to the papers and yapping to them about how I have a delinquent for a brother!”

“That’s your problem.”  He flopped face down on the bed.  

I felt like slapping him around, but I knew I couldn’t.  It just wouldn’t have been right, so instead...I did the next best thing.

“W-what are you doing! Hey!”

He yelled it at me as I yanked his X-box from the wall and began to walk out of the room.

“No!”  He latched onto my waist and tried to prevent me from leaving with his precious toy.  “Let it go! Give it to me!”

I whirled around, and tucked the machine under one arm, while pushing him to the floor with my free hand.  “I told you that I’m not about to take your crap,” I snapped at him as he gazed up at me from his position on the floor.  “Try this shit again.  Go ahead.  There’s going to be another nanny coming really soon, and if you keep pulling this crap, I really will send you away to reform school.”

“I hate you!” He screamed at me, as he began to cry.  “I wish...I wish you had died instead! I wouldn’t have cared if you did!”

“Yeah, great.  Do you think that phases me, Austin?  It’s nothing I haven’t heard before,” I rolled my eyes and opened his door to leave.  “Sweet fucking dreams.”

I left the room and closed the door behind me, hearing something loud and heavy thud against it right after.  I didn’t acknowledge it because I knew that was what he wanted me to do.  Instead I went to my own master bedroom, and hid the X-box high up in a closet where he wouldn’t be able to find or reach it easily.

It’s still up there.

“You’re kidding right?” Trace said to me the next day when I called him into my office.  “She quit?”

I chuckled softly and shook my head.  “You wanna know why?”

“Oh,” he smirked.  “This is gonna be good.  I can tell.”

“Austin chopped her hair off with a pair of scissors.  Granted, the little bitch fell asleep on the job, but still.  She hasn’t called you has she?”

Trace only answered me once he was able to regain control over his laughter.  “Nah, she hasn’t.  She probably ran far, far away.  I gotta say man, you have your hands full with those two kids.  One doesn’t talk, and the other one is just a little terrorist in the making.  Girls are easier, if you can believe that.”

I just shrugged and gazed out my office windows for a moment.  “I’m going to need you to find me somebody else ASAP.  As it is, they had some kind of thing at Austin’s school today and I had to send Lucinda.  I’m sure they’ll be thrilled about that when they realize she doesn’t speak English.”

“Man, and you put me down as a reference on the Dalton application,” he frowned.  “You know, if this gets back to Sydney she’ll hang me by my nuts.”

I rubbed my forehead and laughed a little.  “Hey, what was I supposed to do?”

“Send Cheryl?” He said stupidly.

“What, and have to handle every incoming call myself? No, screw that.  It’s just a school.  They’ll live.”

He grew quiet for a very long moment.  “Did you ever think that maybe...you should have gone?”

I looked at him like he’d gone crazy.  “What,” I chuckled.  “Me? Like I have time for that.”

“Well you could have made some time.  I would have covered for you,” he suggested.  “Maybe if you did that more, the kid wouldn’t act out so much.  He probably thinks you don’t give a damn about him.”

“That’s not why he acts out,” I said, defiantly.  “Would you please just get on the interview thing? I don’t have time for your after school special heart to heart.”  I rolled my eyes and began to click the stocks on the computer screen with my mouse.

“I hate to be so blunt,” he said softly.  “You know you’re like a brother to me J, and I’ve always supported whatever decisions you’ve made in your life, but I think this thing with your parents has you more fucked up than you realize, and your brothers are taking the heat for it.”

I pretended to be focused on my stocks and profits, but in reality my emotions were burning inside.  His words stung.  Out of all the people in the world, the only one who could ever effect me with his words seemed to be Trace.  “I’m over it,” I muttered.

I heard him laugh sadly.  “Okay, Justin.”

The door clicked closed softly.  I swallowed the lump in my throat, sniffled, and continued to focus on my work, as always.

Trace did find me somebody else, only three days later in fact.  Wanda walked into my office sternly, her head held high.  We exchanged a professional handshake and I was sure she was all about business, just like I was.  When I told her about the actual job, she was silent for a few moments.  I knew it wasn’t what she was expecting at all, and in all honestly I expected her to walk out.  She seemed too good for a nanny gig...right from the beginning.  

I should have known better.

She said that she would take the job, so she could “show me what she could do”.  I guessed she thought there was room to grow.  I didn’t give her an answer either way, even though I knew I had no intention of hiring her for marketing.  She started that very day, ran a few errands for me that she actually didn’t fuck up.  She seemed like a great pick.  She even got the boys in and out of their baths without incident, because Lucinda told me so.  She was like my little spy in a way, and I was glad to have her around.  I knew she would never lie to me, no matter what happened when I wasn’t around.

A week went by without incident. Austin wasn’t speaking to me, but according to Wanda he was being civil for her, so I figured all was well.  It was only one night in particular when I saw a bruise on Davey’s face, that I felt a strange feeling come over me.  I’d left work at five that night, surprisingly enough.  I don’t really know why. Usually I was at the office until at least eight, but I had felt like eating dinner with my brothers that night. Home had been less stressful that week.  I felt good setting foot inside of it again.

“What happened to you?” I asked Davey, as we ate dinner.  

Naturally, he didn’t answer, but the fact that he practically buried his face in his plate alerted me that something was going on.  “Austin?  Do you know what happened?”

He looked down at his lap.

The first thought that came to my mind was that he’d done something to his brother, and I felt my emotions flare up.  “What the hell did you do?” I barked at him.

“I didn’t,” he muttered.

“Don’t lie to me!” I yelled at him.  “Look at your brothers face!”

“I...I didn’t do it!” Austin yelled back at me.  “Wanda...Wanda got mad yesterday morning,” he whimpered.  “I...I tried to stop her but she...she wouldn’t listen.”

“What...” I trailed off, horrified.  I knew he wouldn’t have been lying to me at that stage.  By this time, I’d learned to differentiate between Austin’s lies and his truths.  “She hit him?”

He just nodded.

God, I felt like such a dumb fuckin’ asshole.  How could I not have known? How did I miss her attitude or the way she treated the boys? I guess I’d just been so happy to have somebody around who could handle the situation, I didn’t bother to take a closer look.  Immediately, I left the table and walked up the stairs, bursting into Wanda’s bedroom with a harsh knock.  She’d been yacking on the phone, but quickly hung up upon my entrance.  “Mr...Timberlake,” she said slowly, getting up from the bed.  

“Did you slap Davey?” I said, through clenched teeth.

She laughed a little nervously.  “Oh that bruise? Davey was running around yesterday afternoon and smacked his face into the wall.  I meant to tell you...”

I walked right up to her, cutting her speech short, and pressed her up against the wall.  “I should have you fuckin’ arrested,” I seethed.  “I want you to get your shit and get out of my house, right now.”

She didn’t hesitate, because she knew I didn’t believe her.  She was packed and out within a fifteen minute time period, and I told the door man that if he ever saw her lurking around again, to call the police.  

“I don’t want to hear it,” I groaned when Trace asked me about her a couple of days later.

“This isn’t working out too well,” he said, gruffly.  “I can ask Syd if she knows anybody...”

“No.” I said gruffly.  “I want to do this my way.”

“Well your way sucks,” he laughed.  “Come on Justin.  Give me a break.”
r32;“I want you to do it again,” I ordered him.  “I don’t care if you think it sucks.”

“Meanwhile, I have to put everything else I’m working on to the side, right?”  He grunted, a little angrily.  “You know, there comes a point where you have to settle for another option.  I’m not your fuckin secretary.”

“All right,” I sighed.  “If it doesn’t work out this time, we’ll try something else,” I said, calmly.  “Deal?”

He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms as he leaned back in his chair.  “The shit I do for your ass.”

As luck would have it, we both seemed to get our way.  A girl called about the open interviews that very afternoon, and Trace jumped on the opportunity, telling her to come in for an interview the next afternoon.  That, is how Abbey Feldman came to walk into my office, and as much as I tend to forget her name, and annoy the shit out of her, I can’t deny that she hasn’t fucked up anything yet.  Davey seems a lot calmer with her around too.  She has a calming presence about her, which is the biggest reason I hired her in the first place.  She doesn’t seem like she’s dumb as rocks, either.  In fact, she seems like she’d be a really great person to have in my office...

But I need her for other things.

I understand why she had to yell at me that first night.  I mean, she was stressed out and I guess I may have given her a little bit too much to do, although I would never admit that to her.  She did it though, all of it.  She got her stuff out of her apartment, made all the stupid cupcakes, and still managed to get Austin up for school the next day.

I’m not worried.  I think she’s going to work out just fine, and bonus...Lucinda can’t stop telling me how much she likes having her around.

“Are we ready to order?”

I smirk at her from across the table as she takes a sip of her wine.  “We’ll both have the lamb, and another bottle of wine.  Make sure not to overcook it.  Last time it was dry, Albert.  You know how I feel about that.”  I hand him back the menus with a short, tight smile, as I place my gaze back on Danielle.

“Of course, sir.”

We’ve been dating for a few months now.  We met at some benefit that one of my board members threw together.  I liked her from the beginning because she’s like me, business orientated.  She’s one step away from being the editor of Vogue.  She’s strong willed, doesn’t take any shit, and doesn’t beg me to take her places or her buy her things.  She can handle all of that herself, and that’s the kind of woman I need.  I’m not big into dating needy bitches who are only focused on my money.  There’s more to life than that.  

“So,” she smirks as she reaches her hand across the table and takes mine.  “Sydney was saying something about going to the French Riviera next month with Trace.  She said I should talk to you about the two of us joining in.”r32;
“Yeah,” I say, unfazed.  I hate vacations.  Especially vacations in which I’ll probably be expected to take “the next step”.  I have no intention of taking the next step with this woman, or any woman.  We’re just having some fun, and I’ve made that clear from the beginning.  “I’ll have to see.  It depends how the market is.”

She rolls her eyes.  “We’ve never taken any time for ourselves, Justin.  It’s been nearly three months.”

I chuckle slightly.  “What’s that mean?”

“Well...it would be nice, you know, to spend a little more time with you.”

I finish the rest of the wine in my glass, and a waiter immediately comes over and refills it.  “We’re spending time together now.”

“God, don’t you want to just...get away for a long weekend?” She huffs.  “You have the nanny now, and it’s been going okay, according to you.  Your brothers are nearly settled in.  What’s the problem?”

I shrug.  “I guess I have more on my mind besides getting drunk on a yacht.”

She groans harshly.  “You’re unbelievable, you know that?  I’ve been killing myself, trying to open you up, and the minute your parents passed away, you seemed to get even more distant.”

I sigh and let go of her hand.  “Can we not do this now?”

“When can we then?”

I just drink my wine.  She stops asking me questions, and when dinner arrives, we eat in silence.  It sucks.  I can’t commit to a woman because I’m too worried about what will happen to the firm if I take my focus off of it.  I’ve seen what can happen.  When the previous CEO got married, he was so busy fucking his twenty something wife, that the firm started to take a nose dive.  I had to kill myself when I took over, to get it running properly again.  I didn’t do all that to let somebody like Danielle distract me.

“This isn’t going anywhere is it?” She murmurs.  “I mean, no matter what I do, you’re not going to commit.  Do you really expect me to continue doing this with you?”

“Come on, baby.” I flash her my best, most seductive smile.  “Nobody is saying that.”

“Hmph.”  She guzzles her wine.

“Come back with me tonight,” I whisper as I lean in closer to her.  “C’mon.”  I smile a little bit more.

“I really can’t stand you.”

But I know she doesn’t mean it, and a little less than an hour later, we’re laughing together as we burst through the door to my place, tipsy off the wine.  The lights are off, and I quickly feel around for the switch on the wall while she’s kissing me so I can turn them on.  Somehow I manage to do it, and we crash onto my couch.  She’s stripping off my clothes, and I’m relishing the moment.  Man, I haven’t fucked her since before I left for Tennessee.  I need it.  I need it bad.

I’m sucking on her tits and pulling down her panties when I hear it.  A soft rustling coming from behind the sofa.  I freeze.

“Why...Why are you stopping,” she says, breathlessly.

“Do you hear that?” I whisper.

“Huh?”

I hear it again, and I know she does too, because she’s glancing over her shoulder.  “Kids?”

“I dunno.”  I gently push myself off of her and pull my boxers on, making sure to toss her a blanket before going around to see what’s making the noise.  

What I find makes me groan loudly.  “Shit...Davey...”

He’s staring at me with wide, frightened eyes and I have no idea how much of that he just saw.

“Oh god,” Danielle hisses, obviously mortified.

“Hold on,” I grunt, as I lift him into my arms.  “I’ll get him back to bed.”

“It’s okay.”  She gets up and begins to pull her clothes back on, doing her best to conceal herself with the blanket.  “I”ll go.”r32;
“Dani...come on, just go in my bedroom.”r32;
“Justin look at him!” She points to Davey.

I glance at him, his head is buried in my shoulder and I’m sure if his shrink knew about this, she wouldn’t be happy.  Lucky for me, Davey wont’ tell her about it.  “He’ll be okay.”r32;
“That’s your penis talking.”  She grabs her purse.  “I’ll call you, okay?”

I frown and my shoulders sag in defeat.  “Yeah.”

Then she’s gone.  I hate this.  Hate it.  Where the fuck was Abbey? Why wasn’t she making sure the boys were sleeping?  I told her that I was going to be late, and that I might not be alone.  She didn’t fucking listen.  Damn it, I can’t even have a night of peace...of fucking my girlfriend.  

I carry Davey back to his bed, and make sure he’s somewhat asleep before I close the door.  Then, I make my way to Abbey’s room, and even though its two am and she’s probably sleeping, I barge in on her anyway.  

“What! What!” She wakes up when I flick the lights on, panicked.

I stare her down, angrily.  “Do you remember when I said I’d have company with me when I came home tonight?”

She stares at me, probably confused as to why I’m like...half naked.  I probably should have put my shirt back on at least.  Oh well.

“Uh I guess...”

“Well, Davey just witnessed me in the living room with that company.  Fuck, I can’t even enjoy myself in my own house! You’re supposed to be on top of the kids, Abbey!”

She stares at me, but it’s not a frightened stare.  It’s stare that’s telling me I have a hell of a nerve, and all its’ doing is making me angrier.  “Oh, I’m sorry Justin,” she says, with a bright, sarcastic smile.  “Next time just let me know that you’ll be fucking somebody in the living room.  I’ll make sure I lock the kids in the bathroom or something.”

“You really should watch that attitude,” I mutter.

“Whatever you say.”  She waves me off with her hand and lays back down, pulling the covers over her head.  r32;
“Hey...I’m not done,” I grunt.  “Abbey!”

She doesn’t answer.

Infuriated, I storm out of her room and head to my own.  I pace for a few minutes, trying to calm myself down, but it doesn’t seem to be working.  Who the hell does she think she is?  She thinks she can just snap and talk back to me whenever she wants to!  Well...well she can’t.  I’m her fucking boss, and maybe...maybe this just isn’t working out like I thought.  Yeah.

That’s it.

She’s finished.

It’s Saturday morning, and I usually go for a run through the park but not this morning.  This morning I’m eating breakfast at the table with my brothers and Abbey, trying to figure out the best way to tell her I’m letting her go without upsetting my brothers.  I mean, it’s only been two weeks but Austin has been behaving slightly better.  Just slightly, but...it’s a big improvement.  Davey has been smiling a little bit too.  It’s amazing, and I don’t know what she’s been doing to make them act this way.

I’d ask her, but I’m too fucking angry.

“So do you guys want to go to the zoo?” Abbey smiles as she refills Davey’s glass with juice.

She won’t look at me though, and I know she’s still just as pissed about last night as I am.

“The zoo is boring,” Austin mutters as he moves his eggs around his plate.  

“Oh come on, it is not,” Abbey smirks.  “The Bronx Zoo is one of the biggest in America, and you’ve never been.  I heard they’re letting people pet the boa constrictors today and everything.”

Davey looks at Abbey with wide eyes.

“Don’t worry,” she reassures him and rubs his shoulder a little.  “They can’t hurt you.”

“I guess...I guess if they’re doing that I’ll go,” Austin decides.

“Well thank you your majesty,” she laughs and eyes me a little bit.  “Hurry up then and eat so you can get ready.”

She gets up from the table and I take my opportunity to follow her into the living room.  She’s watching the weather man discuss how nice it’s going to be today.  It would be the perfect day to take my boat out actually, and I make a note to call Trace after I do this and ask him if he wants to go.  “You made a big mistake last night,” I tell her softly, as I stand next to her.  

“You were out of line.”  She changes the channel and doesn’t look at me.

“I’m your boss.  It doesn’t matter if...if I’m out of line.  Which I wasn’t, by the way,” I grunt.

“So what?” she chuckles.  “Are you going to fire me, Justin?”  

She walks away, towards the place on the wall where Austin’s knapsack is hanging up, and begins to dig through it.  

“Maybe,” I say, coming up behind her.  “I mean, I think I should, don’t you?”

She shrugs.  “If you want Austin and Davey to become even more messed up, sure.”

“You’re not the only answer,” I shake my head with a smirk.  “Get that ego out of your system.”

“Fuck, I don’t have an ego.”  She grunts and stops playing with the knapsack.  “That’s you.”

“Excuse me?”

She walks ahead of me.

“I’m fucking talking to you!”

She stops and whirls around.  “You know, with the way you’ve treated me this past week, I think you should be thankful I’m even here!”

“I had you do your job.”

“My job is to take care of the boys,” she tells me.  “Not to...run your errands, bake...cupcakes...god, pick up your damn dry cleaning, Justin!  You’re a selfish, spoiled asshole, you know? I don’t care if I’m not supposed to tell you that.  I’ve only spent two weeks with those kids, and the only thing that Austin ever tells me is that you're going to teach him Spanish and enroll him in soccer when you “have time”.”

I scoff.  “He doesn’t talk about me that way.”

“Really?” She laughs.  “Funny, I might have a hearing problem or something then.”  She turns back around.

“So sign him up for soccer!” I call out to her.  

“He wants you to do it with him,” she mutters as she reaches the staircase.  “I’m here to help and thats fine but you need to step in and do things with them too.  Do you think that Davey will ever talk again, if you stand by and let me try to make it happen? He needs you.  He needs to know that you care. They both do.”
r32;She’s right about so much, but I can’t admit it to her.  I have too much pride.  “And I have a career...a fucking firm to run.  I can’t...that’s the priority right now.”

She snorts and shakes her head.  “Right.”

I watch her ascend the stairs, hating myself for not being to fire her, for letting her talk to me that way.  Nobody does that. Nobody, unless they want to be fired, I mean, yeah, Trace is the exception...but he’s the only one.

So what’s preventing me from tossing this girl out on her ass?  

There’s something about her.  At first I just thought she was gentle, had a good personality for kids.  But there’s something else.  Something I can’t quite put my finger on.  It’s like...she’s strong willed.  She seems like the type of woman I usually go for.  One that’s successful, definitely doesn’t take any shit, and likes to do things on her own without help.  Why is it that she couldn’t find a job?  I read her application too.  Trace had her fill out one through email.  She’s from Colorado.  Colorado and she came all the way out here after college.  I mean, I’m sure there are more job opportunities in Colorado, right?  What happened?

I can’t ask her.  I shouldn’t care.  She’s nothing, vermin, working under me for pennies.

My cell rings.

“Timberlake,” I say, glumly.

“Hey man, about that stock...”

I can’t escape work, ever.  Not on weekends, not on holidays.  One year I got a really bad case of the flu, and I was still doing meetings via Skype even though I was sick as a dog.  It got so bad, in fact, that I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia.  They told me I should have come in right away, but I was too concerned about missing work.  It’s what I wanted though right? Success, money, power?

Sometimes I’m not sure.  Sometimes...I almost wish I could live a life like Abbey’s.  A calm one.  One that helps me to remember what’s really important.

But I wanted this, and I have it now.  I’m living my dream, so I can’t have any regrets.

“Come on boys!”

I hear her a few minutes later, phone still stuck to my ear.  I look up and see her descending the stairs, with a backpack slung over her shoulder.  “Let me call you back, Dennis.”

I hang up on him, as he continues to talk.

The boys come wandering into the living room next, ready to go.  Shit, I can’t even get them to put their sneakers on, but all she has to do is say the word and they’re ready.  Shit, it’s only been two weeks.  What am I not doing?  There’s gotta be an easier way to get them on my side too.  

“I called Quincy,” Abbey informs me.  “I hope that isn’t a problem for you, oh wise master of the universe.”  

I glare at her.  “Whatever you want.”

“Abbey.”

I stare at Davey, because I’m not sure if that really just happened.  He’s staring at Abbey, a thousand questions written on his small face.

Abbey covers her mouth with her hand, and kneels down in front of him, glancing at me slightly as she strokes his hair.  “Yes, honey.”

“Why...why can’t Justin come too?”

I look at Austin quickly.  He’s looking at his brother, shocked that he uttered a full sentence.  I think...I think it’s the first time he’s done that since mom and dad died.  

“Maybe you should ask him, Davey,” Abbey says, so gently, as if she’s trying to make sure she doesn’t send him back into silence again.

“Justin.”

His voice is small, and weak, but I try not to let my emotions show as I gaze down at him.  “Yeah, bud.”

“Will...will you come to the zoo?”

And I forget my aggressions.  I forget about Danielle and the fact that she probably won’t call.  The only thing I can focus on is the fact that my brother just talked...just had a breakthrough, and the one person that played a part in making it happen...is the same person I’m ready to get rid of.

“Yeah,” I nod slowly.  “Yeah of course.”

I look at Abbey.  She smiles, just a little.

It’s a start.
Five by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

By the time I finished getting my stuff together, and baking the cupcakes it was four am.  I passed out right there at the kitchen island, parts of me still covered in frosting and cake mix.  Lucinda was the one to wake me up.  She was laughing as she swiped a piece of frosting off my face, but I couldn’t seem to find the energy to smile back at her.

“Áspero primera noche?” Rough first night?

I had no idea what she meant, but I nodded in response to her question anyway as I miserably staggered to my feet.  Then I was knocking on Austin’s bedroom door, my eyes half open.  “Get up.” I grunted.  “Up.”

He didn’t come to the door, so I pushed my way inside.  “Austin,” I muttered, when he didn’t move out from underneath the covers.  “C’mon, school.”

“Mmmmmm,” he groaned.  “Five more minutes.”

“Now.” My tone became stern.  “I’ve been up baking cupcakes for your class all night.  I’m not in the mood for your games right now.”

“Are they funfetti cupcakes?” He moaned.

It was the first thing that got me to genuinely smile since I was forced to wake up.  “Some are.”

He threw the covers off of him.  “Is Justin taking me to school?”

I huffed.  “No.”

He was silent for a moment as he stared at me.  “You have icing in your hair,” he giggled.

I grabbed up at my hair and wiped at it for a moment.  “I know.  There’s a lot wrong with this situation right now, and I’ll fix it later.  Right now though, I need you to get up.  I swear, after school I’ll do whatever you want.  Maybe we can take Davey to the playground or something.”

“Okay, Abbey.”

It was so weird.  He was being nice, when just the previous night he seemed like he hated my guts.  I didn’t know what to make of it, I only knew that something was finally going right for me since I’d taken on the job as Justin’s...whatever I was.  I could have called myself a nanny, except it looked like I was about to do a lot more than just watch the kids.  It seemed like I was the person appointed to do all the shit that Cheryl wouldn’t do.  It sucked, and I knew it.  The only reason I had stayed, was because Charlene absolutely forbade me to quit.

“Are you serious!” She squealed as I angrily packed my suitcases the night before.  “Justin Timberlake!”

“He’s the most pompous asshole I’ve ever met,” I grunted as I slammed my suitcase closed and sat down on the bed.  “He doesn’t give a shit about anybody but himself.”

“Yeah, but still,” she said, seemingly still in a daze as she sat down beside me.  “He’s like, the most powerful guy in New York.  Seriously, they said he’s been giving Trump a run for his money.  I’m sure if you prove yourself doing this nanny stuff, he’ll definitely give you a marketing job!”

“Doubtful.”  I muttered.  “You should meet this guy, Char.  Really, I’m surprised he even looks at me when he talks to me.”

“Well, he’s a socialite.”

“What the fuck does that have to do with anything?” I scoffed.  “He’s human.  He shits and pisses and farts too.”

She laughed.  “At least they can say his shit is worth a million dollars.”

“Oh God,” I rolled my eyes and pushed myself up from the bed.  “Really, Char? I need you to tell me to not go back, that he’s a jerk and that I can find a better job.”

“Yeah, I could tell you that,” she nodded.  “But I’d be lying.  Seriously, Ab...fifty grand a year to babysit those brothers of his? That’s insane.  You’d be crazy not to take it.”

She was right.  It was the one fact that was keeping me from quitting...money.  I needed money.  “What if I like...slit my wrists or something, or hell, slit his throat?”

“Well, at least we could say you gave it a good, sporting try,” she giggled.  r32;


“You’re so ridiculous,” I scowled.  “I can’t believe you want me to go back to that tyrant.”

“Abbey,” she sighed and got up to join me, gently placing her arm around my shoulders a moment later.  “It’s not just the job.  I mean, I really think this could be good for you.  You’ll get out more.  You’ll be living in a different environment, and be really busy with all those errands he makes you run.  It’ll get your mind off of...the past, you know?”r32;

I pulled away from her, and continued to stare across the room.  “I’m not focused on the past.”

“You suck at lying.”

I knew I did.  There was no getting past her as far as... Braeden went.  She knew I still thought about him every single day.  Woke up wondering what happened to him every single day, and went to bed with that same thought in the back of my mind.  I still loved him, I couldn’t deny that, but at the same time it had been six years.  Six years of him being gone.  He wasn’t coming back.  They’d pronounced him legally dead.  His parents had signed off on the papers, even though I threw a fit...called them and begged his mother to reconsider.

“It’s time we all moved on,” she told me gently.  “Abbey, you know this is for the best.  He would have wanted us all to have closure.”

I cried for days.  Days and days.  I kept the curtains drawn, wouldn’t come out of my room, wouldn’t eat.  Charlene had to force me to snap myself out of it, especially since I lost my job and everything.  I mean, it wasn’t the best job.  Just retail, something to pay the small rent I gave her every month.  I just couldn’t live after that blow.  I was convinced my life was over.  I mean, before that I always clung to the hope that he would find his way home...that somebody would find him and get him out of that hell.  But then it was just like...everybody gave up.  They closed his case soon after the papers were signed.  There was a small memorial service held back in Brighton, which I didn’t attend.  That was it.  Braeden was gone and I was alone.

Strange, there was a time in my life where I thought I would never, ever be alone.

We met in high school.  His family had moved to the states from Toronto, due to his father’s career.  I hated him at first.  He was cocky, a jock, who was immediately accepted into the popular crowd.  I wasn’t one of them.  I had my own set of friends, and we did our own thing.  I wasn’t a nerd, but I wasn’t a prom princess either.  I think maybe...that was what he liked most about me.  Two weeks went by, I saw him around, and it took him that long to get up the guts to talk to me.  He always told me it was the bravest thing he’d ever done, talk to me.  I would always laugh and tell him he was silly, but in reality I was melting inside.

We dated all four years of high school, and when I decided to go to state college, he decided to go into the Reserves so he could pay for law school later.  I thought it was a decent choice.  His parents weren’t made of money, and law school wasn’t cheap, so we all agreed it was the best option for him.  

Things were good those first three years after high school.  He got deployed a couple of times, and yeah, I worried, but my Braeden had always been strong and quick on his feet.  He always came back to me safe, and I always thought of him as immune to the bullets and horrors of the military.

Then, at the beginning of my senior year, September of 2001, the unthinkable happened.

Braeden had been home from a long tour, but when he saw the footage of the World Trade Center attacks on television he told me that he wanted to re enlist immediately.  I was horrified.  I told him he was crazy, that he’d just gotten back and didn’t need to go anywhere.  All he kept saying was that he had to help his “brothers.”

“You can’t go,” I shook my head harshly as I held him close to me.  “The world is falling apart right now.  You’ll...you’ll get sent to Afghanistan.  I know you will.”

“Abbey.”  He took my hands in his and pressed his forehead against mine.  “I know you think it’s dangerous.  I know that.  But...this is something I have to do.  Please, try to understand.”

I couldn’t understand.  I couldn’t understand why he would want to endanger his life when we were so close to finishing up things and getting married.  It was like, the military had brainwashed him into making him think he was a necessity.  I couldn’t change his mind though.  I knew that, clear as day.  “I can’t lose you,” I whimpered as I pressed my face into his chest.  “I can’t.”

“You won’t.”  He reassured me, while rubbing my back.  “Abbey, I promise.  I’m coming back.  We’ll be a family. I just...this is something I need to do, okay?”

So I let him go.  I spent two more weeks with him, said a tearful goodbye to him at the airport.  He kissed me long and hard, and promised me he was going to marry me as soon as he got back.

I never saw him again.  They said he went missing in action two weeks into his tour, while on a mission in the mountains of Afghanistan.  I managed to finish school, somehow.  I really have no idea though, because I was such a mess.  Something inside of me forced me to focus on schoolwork.  I passed every final, graduated with a 3.0 GPA.  A month later I packed my bags and came to live here in New York with Charlene, because she was the only one I could thing of that could possibly understand what I’d been through, since she’d known me even longer than Braeden had.

It’s been six years.  I’ve barely been able to hold down a mediocre job, let alone find one in my field.  I guess it was depression.  It had to be.  If it hadn’t been for his parents signing the papers, I doubt I would have bothered trying to a job at Goldman Sachs.  I’d still be sitting in her apartment, begging for Braeden to magically come back into my life.

But that would also mean I wouldn’t be dealing with Justin Timberlake, asshole extraordinaire, on a daily basis.  

You would think things would have gotten easier after that first day.  After I dropped Austin off at school that morning, I started to think the first day had just been a test to see how I dealt with lots of pressure.  Surely, nobody could expect that much out of somebody every day?

Oh, how wrong I was.

Justin likes to leave lists.  Lists, and lists, and more lists, and he doesn’t care if I have to drag Davey along with me while I complete them either.  I even asked him about that.  I told him it can’t be good for Davey to go to all these different places with me, in which he told me that  ‘his shrink wants him to get out as much as possible.  Errands are good.  They teach him responsibility, at least...they should be, if you’re doing your job right.’

By the way, his shrink happens to be that “tutor” that Justin mentioned the first day.  She’s not so bad, we actually get a long pretty well.  Francine says she likes that I’m spending time with Davey, that he seems a lot less tense now than when she first started meeting with him.  Her theroy is that he needs somebody maternal in his life, and I guess since Justin isn’t exactly parent of the year, I’m the next best solution.  One day I asked her why it is that he didn’t talk.

She became serious.  “I probably shouldn’t tell you that,” she said softly.

“Oh.” I nodded in understanding.  “Well, that’s okay.  Justin probably...”

“When his parents were in that car wreck,” she began softly.  “Davey was in the car.  Justin told me he saw everything.”

I couldn’t speak.  It was just too horrible to think about.  Davey is such a timid kid, and I still can’t imagine the kinds of images that flash through is mind on a daily basis.

The lists have included everything from grocery shopping, to dropping off dry cleaning, and everything in between.  For whatever reason, he really loves having Lucinda stay in the house and clean all day.  He’s real weird about that too...everything being spotless.  He hates dust, and he hates when his things are out of place.  One day Austin had moved something, I don’t remember what it was, but when Justin came home I remember him moving it back exactly into place, an annoyed expression on his face the entire time.  OCD? You betcha.

So, what’s it like to be jolted out of your sleep by your half naked boss at 2am?  Let me just say, it was the last thing I ever expected.  When I first snapped awake, I thought I was dreaming.  There Justin was, standing in my doorway in nothing but his boxers.  I stared.  I stared like a fool because...damn.  Just damn.  If he wasn’t such a dick, and I could have stopped thinking about how much of a bastard he was, I wouldn’t have been able to deny that the man was gorgeous from head to toe.  But he was a dick, a complete dick.  Apparently it was my responsibilty to make sure the kids didn’t catch him in the middle of fucking some hoe in the middle of his living room.  Hell, why couldn’t he have just gone into his bedroom to do that?

I yelled at him, and fully expected him to send me packing the next morning.

But...then Davey talked.

I think the two of us are still in shock.  It’s weird seeing Justin so...happy? I guess that’s what he is.  I mean, he’s treated the boys really well today.  Quincy picked us up and when we got to the zoo, Justin took Davey by the hand and bought both the boys and...get this, me...cotton candy.  Weird.  I was freaked out.  At first I wouldn’t eat it because I thought he might have laced it with something.  It was only when he caved in and bought one for himself, that I began to consume it, realizing I was being ridiculous.

It was good, the first genuine thing he’s done for me in the two weeks I’ve been working for him.

I won’t hold my breath though.  I’m sure by the end of the afternoon his old, shitty personality will have returned.

“You’re doing a good job,” he tells me as we stand and watch some rhinos moving across the terrain.  “I doubted you briefly but...I was wrong.”

I glance at the boys.  Davey is watching the animals intently while Austin has seemed to find more pleasure in sticking his cotton candy to the banister.  I let him.  “I think they laced your cotton candy with something.”

He chuckles as he sucks some of the candy off of his finger.  “Hey, Davey talked.  That’s saying something.”

I shrug.  “I didn’t do much.”

“Yeah but still, you know...I just want to say thanks.”

I look at him, feeling so damn confused.  Is he actually being nice right now?  Is that even fucking possible?  “Can I ask you something?”

He shrugs, and turns back to the view of the rhinos, as he ruffles Davey’s hair.  “I guess so.”

“What’s with you?”

He looks at me, his mouth half open, studying me for a moment as if he has no idea what I’m saying.  “What?”

“I mean you walk around like you’re fucking immortal or something.”  I huff.  “If you acted like you are right now, more often, I think things would get easier for them, you know?”

He just shrugs.  “Contrary to what you may think, I never have free time like this.  Today is the exception.  It’s a special day...today.  I’ve forwarded all my calls so I could have a day out with them, uninterrupted.  Normally, my life is a twenty-four hour business free for all. I barely have time to think, or do anything that’s not related to the firm, and when we get home today, I’ll probably have to hole myself up in my study for four hours and return all the calls I missed.  It’s part of running a successful business. I understand that you don’t get it.  Most people don’t.”

I sigh, and gaze out at the terrain, remembering the fact that he had plenty of free time to fuck that girl in the living room last night.  “They aren’t bad kids, you know?  They deserve to be loved.”

It’s silent for a few moments, and then he whispers.  “I know that.”

“Then why can’t you make more time for them?  Look, I’ll sign Austin up for soccer if you agree to come to his games.  I looked into it.  It’s only once a week on Friday afternoons.  He’ll have practice, but I can go to those without you.  I think that’s a fair deal.”

I stare at him, and he stares back at me like he has no idea why I’m pushing this.  Then, instead of agreeing or disagreeing he simply takes Davey by the hand and says: “C’mon Dave, lets go see more shit...I mean, stuff...”

He brushes past me.

“Justin.” I grunt as he walks away from me.

“He doesn’t care.”

Austin is at my side, ripping the empty cotton candy stick into pieces as we walk along.  I snatch it from him and throw it into a nearby trash can.  “Stop it.”

“Well, it’s true,” he mutters.  “He’s only here because Davey said a few words.  Nothin’s changed.  He’d rather be on the phone or out with his friends.”

He walks on ahead of me, and into the Reptile House behind his two brothers.  Crazy, he’s just a kid and he has Justin all figured out.  He’s smarter than Justin thinks he is.  It’s just...really sad, because he’s still so young.

“Hey Abbey!”

I snap to attention, and see Justin waving me over from the entrance to the Reptile House.  I groan slightly, but still go over.  

“Get the kids to stand still so I can take their picture,” he orders me.  “I need a picture for my desk.”

“Oh? Are you sure you can fit that in next to all your important paperwork?” I gasp.

He scowls.  “Just get them together,” he mutters and adjust the Yankees ball cap that’s been covering his mess of curls.  It’s really interesting to see them without all the gel.  They’re a little bit puffed out, but not too out of control, and...he didn’t shave today either.  He has that small amount of stubble around his jaw line and under his nose.  I remember Braeden used to get that all the time...r32;

Shit.  No.  Not now, Abbey.

“Come on guys,” I say, trying to smile.  “Austin go over there and put your arm around Davey for a picture.”

Austin rolls his eyes.  “I told you the zoo was boring.”

“Austin Michael,” I say, narrowing my eyes as I place my hands on my hips.  “Come on, set a good example for your brother.”

“Ugh.”  He drags himself over to where Davey is standing, and turns him around so he’ll face away from the lizard cage.

“Okay guys,” Justin has me step aside as he pulls his digital camera out.  It’s obviously brand new, because it still has the brand name tag hanging off of it.  He doesn’t seem like the type that would have had a use for it before his brothers came to live with him though.  “Smile.”

Davey grins a mile wide, while Austin flashes the most sarcastic smile I’ve ever seen.  I recognize it.  He has the same one that Justin has, and part of me wonders which of of their parents they inherited it from.  Justin takes the picture, and smirks afterwards as he gazes back at it.  “Perfect.” He decides.  “Abbey, you know how to get all this stuff uploaded and printed right?”

I shrug.  “I guess I could figure it out.”

“Good.  Get a frame for me or something too.  Something nice, crystal maybe.  Waterford.  You can go to Bloomingdales.”  He shoves the camera into my hands as he makes his way over to some guy who has come in to do something with the lizards.  He starts talking to him, and the guy seems hesitant at first, but then Justin pulls out his checkbook, and says: “how much?”

We spend the rest of the morning and an early part of the afternoon on a private tour of the zoo, complete with some animal interaction that I doubt anybody else has gotten to do before.  Davey even gets to sit on a giraffe for a few seconds, and I don’t think the kid has had this good of day since he came here. Austin too, although he’s been trying to act like he isn’t phased in the least.  I’ve caught him in a couple of smiles though, especially when one of the zoo keepers perched a tropical parrot on each of his shoulders.  I took a great picture of that and showed it to Justin.  He laughed and said: “frame that one too.”

“I want to go to Disney.”  Austin says as we pile into the car at the end of our visit.  “Justin, will you take us to Disney?”

“Lord buddy,” Justin chuckles as he fastens Davey’s seatbelt and then his own.  “That’s a big trip.  Maybe next year.”

Or never.

“Liar.  We could go right now.  You have the money,” he scowls and crosses his arms.  “You just don’t want to go.”

“Austin...” I begin.

“You can’t always have what you want,” Justin snaps before I can calmly explain things to him.  “Spoiled little shit.  I just got you a private tour of the zoo.”

“That was for Davey,” he mutters.  “You never do anything for me.”

“I do plenty for you,” he grunts.  

“You won’t come to soccer with me,” he points out.

“My career is more important than watching some stupid soccer game in the park,” he grunts.  “Abbey will go.  That’s why I hired her.  Now just sit there and shut up.”

I see Austin’s eyes tear up, and his nostrils flare before he turns his head away, puts his iPod headphones in, and stares out the window.  Soon, the Escalade begins to move, and I wait until I hear the sounds of Davey drifting off to sleep before I say something.  

“You’re too harsh with him,” I tell Justin, certain Austin can’t hear us with his music playing.

“He needs to grow up.  Disney...I mean, fuck, what does he think? I can’t just put my career on the back burner to wander around an amusement park for a week.”

“He’s a kid.”

“So you fuckin take him,” he mutters.  

“You’re angry, you know that? I can tell.  You take everything out on him, Justin.  Is it about your parents, and what happened?”

He looks at me, a strange, almost angry expression on his face.  “How much do you know? And who told you?”

I suck in a breath.  “Austin told me some, and Davey’s shrink has been talking to me as well.”

“Well that shrink needs to learn to keep her mouth shut,” he grunts.  “I expressly told her that...”

“I spend a lot of time with Davey,” I cut him off.  “I think it’s good that I know some of this backstory.”

He pinches the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger.  “Fine.  You know what you know, but I’m not discussing this anymore with you,” he chuckles, irritated.  “Just mind your business and do your damn job, okay?”

He lowers his sunglasses down over his eyes.  I’ve seen him do it from time to time, even in the house, he’ll put them on once in a while and wander away from me.  It’s so weird.  At first I thought it was because he was an ego maniac, but now...I’m not so sure.  

I think his parents’ death has affected him in a major way, and he’s way too closed off about it.    I doubt he’s talked about it with anybody, and in turn, he prevents Austin from talking about it with him.  That makes Austin angry, makes him act out.  

Something has to be done about this.  Quickly, before it all backfires and Austin does something regrettable.

I realize that Justin and I might just have a little bit more in common than I originally thought.  I mean, we’ve both lost somebody close to us.  Maybe I can get him to open up about it, make him understand that it’s important to help Austin through it rather than shut him down about the subject.

What am I saying? I can’t even get the guy to a damn soccer game, but I’m going to get him to spill his deepest feelings out to me?  Negative.  Snap out of it Abbey...

It’s not worth the effort.

Six by ialwayzbesingin
Davey has gone back to the silent treatment.  His shrink is really happy with his progress though.  She said that the fact that he spoke a couple of sentences was a huge step in overcoming his communication barrier, and if we continue to take things one step at a time and focus on “positive energy,” he’ll make a full recovery.

It’s really really hard to focus on “positive energy” when Justin is involved.

I figured that after our outing to the zoo, things would get easier.  They haven’t.  If anything, they’ve gotten harder.  Justin has turned back into a raging tyrant.  His lists are longer than ever, and he’s been coming home later and later lately.  Sometimes he brings friends for dinner, and they’re loud and annoying and drink lots of wine.  That guy Trace is always there too, and if he sees me, he sort of stares at me for a couple of minutes before being distracted by another one of his friends, or by Justin.  I try to bring the boys out to dinner those nights, but sometimes it’s just not possible.  Austin has homework, and so, Lucinda seems to get the hint and give me plates for the boys so we can eat in one of their bedrooms.  It’s so horrible and unstable for them, but Justin doesn’t really give a crap.  

Others may not notice, because he’s so good at hiding it, but I can tell he’s been a mess since the zoo.

I think I may have triggered something in him that I shouldn’t have.

But I needed to get my point across.

Despite the fact I told Justin I would only sign Austin up for soccer if he agreed to come to the games, I found myself giving in and bringing him down for sign ups Tuesday after he got out of school.  I realized that he really did want to play, and I shouldn’t have punished him for Justin’s arrogance.  It was the first time I really saw Austin light up since I’ve been watching him, and I was glad I decided to look past my issues with Justin.  Part of me agreed with Austin...Justin didn’t really do all that much for him besides the essential things.  He didn’t seem to be concerned about what Austin wanted to do in his spare time and he didn’t care about his interests.  He put the effort into Davey, and took his anger out on Austin.

I felt bad for the kid.

I’ve decided to step it up and give him as much love as I can.  Somebody needs to do it, and I know if I don’t start, something bad will happen.  He’s already acting out, and I don’t want to imagine where it will go if he doesn’t get the attention and love he needs and deserves.

“I have something I need you to do for me,” Justin told me this morning as the boys were eating breakfast.  I was busy packing Austin’s lunch that Lucinda had prepared the night before, and was hardly in the mood for more tasks from him, since he’d already left me a list for groceries and another for stationary supplies.  

“What now,” I grunted.

He snorted out a laugh.  “Saturday night, I’m hosting that benefit.  You know the one...you had to get the table linens for me from Bloomingdales for it.”

“Yeah, so?”  I whirled around and planted Austin’s lunch box in front of him.  He didn’t look up from his cereal and continued to chew slowly, like a cow that was chewing grass.  “Austin, hurry up,” I whispered, giving his shoulders a gentle rub.

“I need you to come with me.”

I stopped.  The whole world seemed to stop, and then I looked up at him.  “Why in the world would you want me there?”

I guess I sounded more shocked than anything, because a moment later he was chuckling heartily to himself as he guzzled some kind of protein shake.  

“Well my business partner, Trace, and I were discussing it.  You’d look really great on my arm, that’s all.  You seem very genuine.  The donators love that, and if they love it...they’ll give more money.  It’s for a good cause.  Something I really believe in.”

“That’s the most ridiculous thing...” I trailed off and shook my head, the idea of being Justin’s “date” to anything, even if it was a formality, disgusting me to the core.  “No, I’m not going.  I have to look after the boys.”

“I can leave them with Trace’s sitter.  His girlfriend has a daughter, the kids will have a good time.  I’ll get some movies that are still in theaters for them to watch.”

“Davey doesn’t talk.  It’ll be weird for him,” I grunted.

“The sitter has already been briefed.  It’s not a problem.”  He straightened his tie and walked closer to me.  “You will be there, and you will go out today and buy a dress.  Make sure you see Roberta at Saks.  She’s the best personal shopper they have.  Tell her you need something for a benefit, and that you’ll be going with me.  She’ll know what to do from there.”

I crossed my arms and angrily narrowed my eyes at him.  He continued to stand before me, an arrogant smirk on his face.  “And if I say no, then what?”

“Awe come on Ab,” he reached out and patted my shoulder.  “Don’t make me let you go now.  I’m really starting to like you, ya know? And the boys, I mean, don’t want to think about what my firing you would do to them.  Austin...I mean he’d have to drop soccer and...”

“Fine. Just...fine.”  I snapped, not wanting to hear any more of his shit, hating that he was dangling the boys in front of me to get his way.
r32;“Thought so.”

He winked at me and walked away.  The door opened and closed.  He’d gone to work.

I was fuming.  I stood in the middle of the kitchen, fists balled at my sides, teeth gritted.  I was ready to throw one of his many priceless statues out the window too.  But then...

“Are you going to quit?”

I turned around and Austin was staring at me, so was Davey.  Their eyes were filled with sadness and it made my heart break to see them both that way over me.  “No, of course not,” I reassured them both with gentle kisses on the tops of their heads.  “Come on, we’ll be late.”

I walked faster than normal to Dalton, barely listening to the things Davey was rambling on about.  I was too focused on what I had to do, where I would be going.  Justin was dragging me into his world for an evening.  A world filled with wall street giants, celebrities, and people that just had way too much money on their hands.  I’d never been involved with those types of people before.  How was I supposed to know how to act? Was Justin going to train me? Give me a class?  Knowing him he probably would but I wasn’t about to change who I was to please the stupid idiots that surrounded him.  I was so uncomfortable.  Everybody would be staring at me.  Everybody would think that I was dating him.  And the next day? He’d just tell them all that I wasn’t worth it.  That he dumped me or something.

My reputation was about to go out the window, and he couldn’t have cared less.

For the first time since I’d been hired, I left Davey with Lucinda after I filled Justin’s lists.  I typed out what I needed to go do in the translator, and lamely pronounced the words to her in Spanish.  I think she mostly understood.  She laughed a little bit, said something I couldn’t understand and took Davey by the hand to somewhere else in the house.  I hated leaving him with her.  She couldn’t understand him the way I could, but I knew I couldn’t bring him to Saks.  He would be bored, and I would be much too nervous to keep an eye on him.

“So...you need something fab-bu-lous.”  

Roberta is a middle aged woman, that looks like she could have been a supermodel back in her hay day.  She’s tall, has a model perfect body, and a gaudy, overly white smile that I have no doubt she pays for.  “Uh...uh huh.” I nod.  I tried to call Charlene before I left the house.  I was hoping to get some moral support from her about this whole thing, but she wasn’t home.  I hate that I’m here alone, and have no clue what I’m even doing.

“Maybe...an evening gown?”

I shrug.  “It’s a benefit.”

“Surely. And an evening gown is the perfect thing for a benefit or Gala, darling.  Justin’s benefits are known for their class and style, and you must look outstanding if you are going to be on his arm.”  She pulls me by the hand and takes me into the next room full of dresses.  “Now, I think maybe...we’ll try these, and oh...all of these...”

By the time she’s done choosing dresses, she’s compiled more than twenty.  I’m overwhelmed.  This event means nothing to me, but yet I’m about to pick an outfit that costs as much as an economy size car.  It nauseating.  Maybe I can break my leg or my arm and get out of it.  The sad thing is, Justin would probably make me go anyway.  “Oh it’ll look even better if something is wrong with you.” He’d say.

I really hate him.

We get down to the final two dresses.  The other ones were no goes.  According to Roberta they either didn’t stand out enough or I simply didn’t look good in them.  Way to lower my self esteem, lady.  I try the first one on.  This is black, strapless.  It has a slit in the side that rides all the way up to just below my panty line so you can see my entire right leg.  Jesus.  I should have shaved today.

This is Justin’s kind of dress though.  I know that before I even set foot out of the dressing room.  It’s silk.  Very clean looking, elegant, classy.  Little beaded embellishments across the chest and waist give it a formal look but doesn’t push the thing over the top.  I look like one of his statues.  Something he’d be proud to display once I’ve been accessorized the proper way.  When I head out to Roberta, I can tell she’s thinking exactly what I’ve been too.

“Oh this is the one, darling.”

I step up on the pedestal so I can get a closer look at myself in the three way mirror.  The fact that many parts of my body will be revealed to Justin for no good reason at all irks me.  “It’s too much skin.” I say, with a shake of my head.

“Nonsense.  This is your dress.”

I turn to her.  “But I’m not comfortable.”

“Well, Mr. Timberlake left me with specific instructions when he contacted me yesterday,” she smiles.  “He said it was my say, because he trusts my expert judgement, and I say this is your dress, unless you’d like to pay for one instead of him.”

I scowl at her.  I realize that I’ve been played off as some idiot girl that Justin has instructed her to dress up for him.  “I guess I don’t have a choice then do I?”

“Mr. Timberlake’s price range is from five thousand to ten thousand for your dress. This particular dress is eight thousand, so I’d say not, miss.”

I give myself one final long look in the mirror, before sighing and saying, “I’ll take it.”

“Wonderful.” She smiles and clasps her hands together.  “I’ll select some accessories for you.  Justin said he was taking care of your jewelry, so why don’t you change, and I’ll have the rest for you in a moment.”

I contemplate escaping from this place as I change back into my street clothes.  I could just run for it, tell Justin that I never made it to the store.  Knowing him though, he’d probably call Roberta to check on my story.  I hate this.  I’m being forced into this, and it’s not right.  Shopping for a dress of this magnitude is supposed to be special.  If....if Braeden were around I probably would have been looking for a wedding dress and enjoying myself by this time.  Maybe I would have even been married by now.

But he’s not around, and I can’t dwell on that fact because I have too much going on at the moment.

I walk out of the dressing room, my emotions on the brink of cracking, as I hand the dress to Roberta.  She smiles happily and leads me over to the check out counter, showing me the shoes, shawl and purse she’s picked out to go along with the dress.  I barely look at them.  My opinion doesn’t even matter so I don’t know why she’s showing me these things anyway.  I wait for her to ring them up, and then she ask me how I’ll be getting back home.

“Subway,” I tell her.

“Oh, of course, darling.”  She says it like it disgusts her.  “I’ll send these things along to Mr. Timberlake’s estate then.  That way they won’t be destroyed.”

“Thanks.”

I rush out of there quickly.  I never, ever want to go back in.

I get home just in time for lunch with Davey, which puts my mood a little bit more at ease.  The dress has already arrived too, which is also a good thing.  I wave Lucinda away as she tries to start fixing us sandwiches, wanting to get a little bit creative with Davey instead.  He helps me make peanut butter sandwiches and cheese and cracker towers.  We use some fancy plates I find in the cabinet.  They are blue and have painted silver swirling patterns all over them.  Davey loves them, and we eat our lunch on the large comfortable sofa while watching some cartoons.  He enjoys our little afternoons together before Austin comes home, and so do I.

The phone rings after a while, and I reach behind me to pick it up.  “Timberlake residence.”

“Did you get the dress?”

“Yes, Justin,” I groan and shove another cheese square into my mouth.

“I want to see it.”

“Well you can see it when you come home.  Austin gets out soon.”

“Come here after you pick him up,” he orders me.  “Bring the dress.”

“Justin, I’m not doing that.”r32;
“You will,” he says, sounding irritated.  “Just get here, Abbey.”

He hangs up on me.
I’m so infuriated I could scream, but Davey is looking up at me with wide eyes, most likely being able to sense my mood and I know I have to remain calm for his sake.  The time to pick Austin up from school comes much too soon, and I try the best I can to walk slowly with Davey on the way there, so I can delay myself as much as possible.  I feel my shoulders sag in defeat when I see Quincy standing in front of Dalton when we walk up.  Apparently Justin wants to make sure I get to him as soon as humanly possible.  What the hell is the rush?
r32;“Hi, Quincy,” I say miserably.

“Hello Miss Abbey.”  He tips his hat to me and smiles.  “Mister Timberlake sent me.  He wants me to drop the kids off and take you to his place of business.  I stopped by the house, and picked up the garment he wants to see as well.”

Justin doesn’t miss a fucking beat does he?  “Thank you,” I sigh.

The school bell rings, and I look up.  A flurry of students run out of the school, and Austin is the last one out.  He’s being escorted by a teacher.  The same one who asked me to get Justin to come down to the school for a conference.  This doesn’t look good at all.  Austin has a black eye and a bloody lip.  Why didn’t they call?

“Austin?” I rush up to them, leaving Davey in Quincy’s care.  I look at the teacher.  “What the hell happened?”

“There was a fight.  The other child is in much worse shape, if you can believe that.  We’ll need to have a conference, Miss Feldman.  Justin will need to be here for that.”

“Austin.” I crouch down and make him look at me.  “What happened?”

He looks down at his shoes.

“Both boys have been suspended,” she explains to me.  “For a week.”

I nod.  “When do you want to see Justin?”

“As soon as possible,” she grunts.  “Please, contact the school and set up an appointment.”

She turns her back on me, and walks away.  I’m appalled.  This whole situation with Austin is worse than I thought.  

“Justin’s gonna send me away,” he whimpers, once the teacher is out of site.  

“Hey, no he’s not,” I reassure him gently.  “But you did a bad thing.  You know that right? There has to be a punishment.  Why were you fighting?”

“He...he always makes fun of me.  He says I’m a hick, and that I don’t belong here,” he mutters.  “Today he said my mom was a piece of southern trash, and then...I hit him.  He...he shouldn’t say things like that about my momma.”  

He’s sniffling now and I know his pain runs deep inside of him. It’s just wrong for Justin to force him into forgetting about his parents and the way they died.  He’s still in mourning.  He’s just a little kid still, and he needs somebody he can talk to about this, so he can move on the right way.  “I know.”  I pull him into my arms and hold him close.  “Look, Justin and I will talk about this and figure out the best way to handle it.  In the meantime, I don’t want you watching TV, and bedtime is an hour earlier than usual.”

“O-okay, Abbey,” he whimpers into me and clings to me tighter.

Christ, I feel like I’m all this kid has in the world.

I drop the boys off at home, and try my best to tell Lucinda not to let Austin watch TV, before I rush out the door again.  Quincy gets me down in front of Goldman Sachs in about a half hour, and I haul the large box that contains the dress and accessories inside the building, riding the elevator to the thirtieth floor.  I get off, a million frustrations invading my mind as I make my way down the long, plush hallway.  I want to go off on Justin, throw the fucking dress in his face and tell him to get a clue, but I doubt that would go over very well in a place like this, and I have Austin to think about too.

“Oh hello, Abbey,” Cheryl chirps brightly as I push my way into the outer sanctum of Justin’s office.  “Justin’s been expecting you.  You can just go on in.”
r32;“Thanks,” I barely smile, and feel a little bad because she’s never been anything but nice to me, but can’t dwell on it for long.  I push my way into Justin’s suite, and drop the box onto the sofa in the corner.  He’s at his desk, looking at his computer screen, and I stand in front of him for a few moments, waiting for him to acknowledge my presence.

“How’d it go?”  

He doesn’t look away from his computer.  “It’s a dress,” I grunt.  

“Well let’s see it.”  He says it to the computer screen and it takes him a minute more to finally look at me.

“Austin had a fight at school,” I say, disregarding his request.  “They suspended him for a week, and the teacher says you have to attend a conference with her before he goes back.”

He folds his hands and presses his index fingers to his lips.  “You can go to the conference.  I’ll deal with him on my own, later.”

“We need to talk about this now, Justin,” I mutter, darkly.  “You can’t blow it off.”

“I’ll deal with what I want to deal with now,” he snaps.

“Asshole!” I yell, the tears I’ve been holding in all day finally making their way down my face.  “You don’t even give a fuck about him! He’s your brother! He’s falling apart Justin, and all you care about is some benefit...some god damn dress!”

He stares at me for a good long time.  I don’t think he knows how to react because I’m sure nobody in this building would ever dare raise their voice to him.  I just don’t care though.  This is my limit, and I’m done holding all of my feelings back.  

He gets up from his desk, and glares at me a little bit as he walks over to the couch and opens the box that contains the dress.  I look back at him slowly, hating that he’s chosen to ignore me at a time like this.  He’s lifting the dress out of the box, and studying it, working his hands all over it, as if it’s a priceless work of art.

“This is nice,” he whispers, placing it back into the box.  “She did a good job.  Tiffany’s is lending me a diamond necklace, some kind of rare piece.  You’ll be wearing that too.”

I cross my arms.  “I’m not doing this, Justin.  I can’t do this anymore.”

He shrugs.  “So quit.”

I stare at him.  “You just don’t care do you?  You don’t care if those kids are miserable or happy, just as long as you’re getting what you want.”

“Look, are you staying or are you leaving?” He huffs as he makes his way back over to his desk and takes a seat again.  “I don’t have time to worry about it, Abbey.  Do you want me to tell you that you’re doing a better job at raising my brothers than I am? Fine, you are.  I’m not denying that.  Why the hell would I have kept you for all this time if you weren’t?  I don’t have time to hug them or dry their tears, go to soccer games...worry about a stupid fist fight.  They suspended the kid for it? Fine, whatever, let them. Austin will go back, I’ll donate some money to improve the school, and they’ll forget all about it.  Do you really want me to go see this teacher? Fine...I’ll go if it’s so damn important to you.  It won’t make a difference anyway.  I don’t care what she thinks about Austin.  I’m paying her to deal with him.”

I scoff.  “So you’ll go?”

He doesn’t hesitate.  “I said I’d go, didn’t I?”

I nod.  “Fine then.”

“Here.”  He opens up his desk drawer and pulls out an envelope.  “This is for you.”

I give him a skeptical look as I walk forward and take it from him.  “What’s this?”

“You know, you could just open it,” he nods.

I roll my eyes and do it.  What I find inside, makes my head begin to spin.  “This is a check...ten thousand dollars?”

“You’ve earned it.  I think so anyway.  Now get out.  I have shit to do.”

Everything I’ve ever thought about this guy just doesn’t make sense.  Why is he giving me a bonus?  A bonus that’s ridiculously huge?  I just called him an asshole...I constantly put him in his place.  “I...I don’t know what to say...”

“Don’t say anything,” he grunts.  “Just get out of my office.”

I guess there’s just some things I’ll never understand about him.  Unless he’s just giving me the money to shut me up, to make me think I should do the things he wants me to do without a question.

But why should I pass up more money than I’ve ever seen in my lifetime? He’s using me, yeah...but that doesn’t mean I can’t use him too.  He’s showing me that.  He’s showing me how easy it is to get what you want in your life, if you just comply.

The guy really is a genius, I guess.
Seven by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
If anybody is good at making banners could you please contact me? Thanks!

“Mr. Timberlake, I’m a patient woman.  I’ve tried time and time again to get Austin to open up, but something is wrong.  I understand about his parents, but he seems to be delving deeper and deeper into himself lately.  He’s cutting everybody off, he barely says hello to me in the mornings anymore, and now he’s lashing out with violence.  Surely, you see the problem we’re having.”

“Of course.”  What I’m really thinking is, how much is it going to take to make this lady leave me the hell alone?  Ah, the overly concerned teacher.  So wonderful that this school puts pride into their hirings.  But shit, I have no fucking time for it.  I’m here to shut Abbey up once and for all, end of story.  

I mean, it’s too late to replace her now. The boys are already too attached and I may be an “asshole” but I know a good thing when I see it, and firing her...I’d never be able to get them over it, and because I have common sense I’ll make sure she never quits.  It’s why I gave her that bonus.  I want her to think that I really like having her work for me.  In reality, if the boys weren’t so attached I wouldn’t make this much of an effort...but they are and I have no time to find somebody else as good and as patient as she is.

I also have no idea who would do half the shit I make her do for me, either.  Even though, being my date for a formal benefit isn’t exactly horrible, if I do say so myself.

I do look very nice in a tuxedo.

“Have you considered seeking therapy for him?”

She’s staring at me seriously, as if I’m not entitled to be raising Austin.  Hell, maybe I’m not.  Maybe I’m the worst guardian in the history of the world, but the kid is still my brother, and I certainly wasn’t going to leave him back in bum fuck Tennessee to be raised by the bunch of hillbillies he used to consider family.  “I don’t think Austin needs therapy,” I state to her bluntly, making sure I look her right in the eyes.  “He’ll get over his issues in a few months.”

“Begging your pardon,” she pauses and swallows a little bit.  “But it is in my educated opinion that he does.”

I scowl at her.  I hate when people tell me I’m wrong.  Trace does it a lot, but I trust his opinion, so he doesn’t really count.  Abbey...she’s starting to do it more and more.  I think I may have intimidated her that very first day, but ever since then she hasn’t really seemed to care what I say to her.  She takes all the liberties she wants with me as far as her attitude goes, and I can’t upset her no matter what I say.  The only time she takes things personally is when the kids get screwed over...

I guess I shouldn’t blame her.

I just don’t fucking get why she’s so strong.  She’d do so well on my executive panel it’s not funny. The crazy thing? Looking at her you’d never know it.  She looks so sweet, so nice, so innocent.  It’s the thing she can lure a man in with.  Her damn smile...the way she’ll...do the craziest shit for the kids just because they say please.  She’s a good person.  I can’t deny that.

If things were different, I could see us being friends.

But that’s just not possible.  At this stage of my life I can only afford to have friends that understand my career.  Up until recently, I thought that included Danielle too, but when I called her up yesterday afternoon from my office, she made it pretty clear that she didn’t want me to include her anymore.

“Justin, I think we need a break.”

I had never ever been dumped before, so the shock hit me pretty damn hard. “What do you mean, a break?” I said, feeling my brows scrunch together, meaning my face had probably been contorted into some weird, clueless, expression.  

“I just...after the other night, I started to think about a lot of things.  Our lives are changing, Justin.  You know they are.  Your brothers are here now and...”

“It’s not about them,” I said, through gritted teeth.  “I told you that they wouldn’t get in the way.”

“I’m not saying they are,” she supplied.  “I’m just saying that...you need to be a little bit more responsible now.  I’m about to be promoted anyway.  I’ll be swamped.  I don’t think I could even afford a relationship when that happens.  You understand, right?”

“No,” I grunted.  “I don’t fucking understand.”

She just sighed.  “Look, I have to go.  Maybe I’ll see you around, right?”

“What about the benefit?”  I moaned.  “Where am I supposed to get another date?”

“Oh, Justin,” she sighed.  “I’m sure you’ll manage.”
r32;I could hear her rolling her eyes.

“Dani...”

“Goodbye, Justin.”

When she hung up I knew that was it, and there was no way in hell I was about to go chasing after her.  That wasn’t my way at all.  I was still pissed though.  Really fucking pissed.  She’d bailed when I really needed her the most, and I had no idea what the hell I was going to do.

So I ran into Trace’s office and told him what happened.

“Fuck ‘er.”  Trace swatted his hand carelessly in the air as he shoved some Pringles into his mouth.  “Seriously, I never liked that one much, anyway.  Now, Silvia, she was nice looking.  I woulda done her...”

“Trace!” I yelled at him, a desperate tone in my voice.  “Can you focus please? Me, biggest benefit of the year...without a date at the last minute?”

“Why don’t you just make Abbey do it?”

I sat back, ready to tell him it was the stupidest idea ever.  But then it hit me.  He was brilliant.  If I took Abbey I wasn’t obligated to commit to her, and she had no choice but to say yes because it was her job.  “You really think I could pull that off?”

He just shrugged and laughed.  “Justin, you’ve made us billions of dollars.  I think you can pull anything off.  Besides, she can’t say no.  She’s on payroll.”

I smiled.  “Thanks.”

“Pleasure.  Now get out of my office!” He said, mocking my own attitude.

I rolled my eyes.

The next morning I broke the news to Abbey.  She didn’t take it well, but I made it a point to put her in her place, even dangled the boys’ well beings in front of her when she wouldn’t give in right away.  That changed her attitude real quick.

My plan worked.

She has her dress, and Sydney agreed to take her along to the hair salon out of “the goodness of her heart.”  She doesn’t really like me, and I don’t really care for her either, but we tolerate each other for Trace’s sake.  The only thing I have to do now is hold my breath and hope that Abbey doesn’t make a complete ass out of me tomorrow night.  I mean, I’m normally not this nervous.  I’ve held benefits before, lots of them.  But this will be the biggest.  Some of the most elite people in New York are on this guest list, which means there could potentially be a lot of money at stake.  I want it to be perfect, because all the cash is going to go to a cause that I fully support.  Hell, I think it’s the only thing I make a charitable donation to that I actually give a damn about, and that’s saying something.

Mostly, I like to line my own pockets with other people’s money.

“Fine.”  I nod at the teacher.  “Then I’ll take him out of your school, and make sure all of my friends know how corrupt it is here.  By the end of the week, you’ll probably lose about a hundred students.”  Then I lean in close to her and whisper, “How will that affect your petty little job, Ms. Parks?  Pity, they may have to let you go.  All for the sake of you giving me your ‘opinion.’”

She looks horrified.  I smirk.  “Yeah, a lot of my board members kids go here.  That’s how I heard about Dalton in the first place.  Obviously, you don’t know how to handle children properly, if you’re willing to push them off onto shrinks.”

“T-that’s...that’s not the case.”  

I start walking away.

“Mr. Timberlake!”

I love this.  Love it.  Nobody, nobody fucking defies me unless they want the worst reputation in New York City.  I turn around slowly, making sure my smile is non existent.  “Do you have something to say?”

“Perhaps Austin can work one on one with our staff here?”

“Oh, I don’t need him being alienated either,” I scoff.  “He’s going to go to class like every other brat in this place.  If I wanted him tutored, I would home school him.”

She sighs, defeated as she leans against the desk.  

“There’s nothing wrong with Austin that a little time won’t fix,” I snap at her.  “If he acts out, I have no problem with you disciplining him, either.  Believe me, Austin needs plenty of it.  What I don’t want is my nanny coming to me with this shit about you needing to speak with me every time Austin messes up.  If you have an issue you can talk to Abbey.  I don’t have patience for this rhetoric.  Frankly, it’s a waste of my time, and that becomes a waste of my shareholders time.  What kind of an establishment is this, where you can’t keep a bunch of twelve year olds in line for six hours a day?  I shouldn’t have to hold your fucking hands.”

She just nods, and doesn’t meet my gaze.  “Yes, sir.  I’m very sorry to inconvenience you, Mr. Timberlake.  I understand you’re a busy man.”r32;

“Good. So we’re clear then?”

She nods again.

“I’ll keep Austin out of school next week to give you a chance to get a plan together for when he comes back.  Maybe what you need to do is move that other kid...the one he had a fight with, into another class, but I’ll leave that up to you,” I tell her.  “Make sure you have somebody fax his assignments to my office so he doesn’t fall behind.  My secretary will make sure I get them, and Abbey will take care of the rest.”  For the final touch, I pull my checkbook out of my pocket and make a check out to the school for a large sum of money.  Not that it matters.  There’s always more, and I can write this off on next years taxes.  “Here, give this to your superior.”  I rip it out and hand it to her.  “Put it into the school.”

She takes it from me, and I can tell she’s trying extremely hard to hide how she really feels about me.  I watch her eyes widen as she reads the amount that the check is made out for, and she gasps a little.  “Oh...Mr. Timberlake...this is, this is very generous.”

“I don’t want to have to come back here,” I warn her, pointing my finger at her for added measure.

“It won’t happen again,” she tells me seriously.

“It better not.”  I give her one more intimidating look before I walk out of her classroom.

Although I acted like Dalton isn’t worthy of Austin’s presence, I know that it’s actually the best school in Manhattan.  The kid is so lucky to be in this school, and he doesn’t appreciate it.  He doesn’t appreciate the light punishments I give him either, like taking his x box or tv time away.  When I was young, if I was bad, my dad would beat the shit out of me with a belt.  I’m not sure if he ever did that to the boys, but seeing as how both of them are timid little pussies, I seriously doubt it.  Maybe my mom put a stop to that once I left.  Maybe she thought that was the biggest reason I resented my life and how I was brought up.

But it was more, only...she never really saw it, because she had the same problems.

Before New York City, I’d never been able to read very well.  Only very basic words, like the ones on street signs.  Books were nearly impossible for me to get through. It was something I’d always battled with, from the time I started going to elementary school, until the day I dropped out of high school.  No, I never graduated high school.  I got my GED when I moved to New York.  Trace helped me do it.  We met randomly.  He was waiting for a bus, and I thought he looked a little nicer than most of the people I came in contact with, so I asked him if he could help me read a bus schedule.  From then on Trace helped me with a lot of things.  He taught me how to read past the level of a first grader, he taught me how to work numbers and understand the stock market.  Soon, I realized that I had never been dumb.  I was smarter than I thought.  My memory was excellent, which explained why I was able to wait tables without having to write anything down...pass a test without having to read the study material.

At times, Trace would tell me I had a brilliant mind, that it had just been “warped,” and that it wasn’t my fault.

It was him who introduced me into the financial world, and we made it our plan to make it big on Wall Street before we turned thirty.  I guess we lucked out...or something.

I felt stupid my entire life before that.  Countless teachers had tried to improve my reading comprehension, but to no avail.  They just didn’t have enough time since the classes were always overcrowded.  They recommended I get a tutor, which my parents could never afford.  I fell behind, and became really bitter, really closed off.  My parents couldn’t seem to help me, because they were just as dumb as I was.  My mom didn’t work, she’d gotten pregnant with me while she was still in high school and dropped out.  She never went back.  My father worked in the local machine shop factory down at the end of town.  He’d never gotten past the eighth grade, and so he was no help to me with homework.  My mom tried, but she usually gave up after the first assignment became too difficult for her.  

I really struggled.  My entire life.  When Austin came along my parents were in a better situation.  My dad had a better job, and they had a little more money to live on.  Austin would be brought up right, and when Davey was born, I knew he would be too.

I was twelve then...passed along to the next grade one too many times by one too many teachers.  I was just left in the fucking dust, while my parents got another chance to get it right.

So, when I hit seventeen, I dropped out of school and left.

Quincy is waiting for me outside the school, and I tell him to take me to the banquet hall so I can make sure everything is in order for tomorrow.  From the moment I walk in the place I can already tell that all the workers are intimidated by me.  Some of them drop the items they are carrying as I walk by, and when I enter the ballroom, the lead organizer rushes up to me and shakes my hand, presenting me with a nervous smile.  I look around as he does so, and I like what I see, so rather than berate him for being a lesser being than myself, I just smile, pat his shoulder and tell him he’s doing a great job.

Good, one less thing to worry about.

I get back to the office, and am looking forward to working on some trades as I get off the elevator and head down to my office.

“Hey,” Trace sticks his head out of his office door and flashes me a playful grin.  “A client of mine offered some box seats for the Yankees on Sunday afternoon.  Do you think you’ll be up for it?”

I shrug.  Really, I have no idea what mood I’ll be in after the benefit, but I can always cancel on him if need be.  “The boys would probably like it,” I nod.

“Cool, I’ll tell him.  Oh, how did that school thing go?”

I laugh.  “As usual.”

“You pay that bitch off?” He chuckles.

“ ‘Course.  I’ll see you later.”  I don’t give him a chance to make small talk, and quickly make my way into my office.  I find Cheryl in her normal place, but there is somebody else I don’t recognize.  A man in a suit that I’ve never seen before is sitting in a chair against the wall.

“Can I help you?” I say, having stopped in my tracks.  “Cheryl?”

She gives me a weird look and shrugs as if she’s just as confused as I am.

“Justin Timberlake?”

“Yeah. Didn’t you read the sign on the door?”

He just chuckles and shakes his head.  “You’ve been served.”  

He hands me a thick blue piece of paper thats been folded into thirds, and I tear it from his hands.  “What the hell is this?”

“Have a pleasant day.”

That’s all he says, and then he just leaves.  

“What?”

The door closes behind him.

I turn to Cheryl.  “Why did you let him stay!”

“Sir, he had identification!” She defends.  “What could I do?”

I have to take a deep breath in and out, tell myself that it’s not Cheryl’s fault.  I can’t fire her.  She’s the best secretary I’ve ever had, and that’s saying a lot.  “It’s fine...” I huff as I tear the summons open.  “Get my lawyer on the phone,” I say bluntly as I scan the paper with my eyes.

"Yes, sir."

 This document mandates you to be in family court one month from today, due to an injuction filed by Kimberly Hanson.  

Accusation: Unfit to parent

The client is seeking sole custody of the minors Austin Michael Timberlake, and David Bryce Timberlake, pending formal hearing.


Fucking Kimberly.

I throw the paper.  Damn it.  I told her.  I fucking warned her not to mess with me.  What the hell provoked this?

Austin.

Really? Would he really have gone to those lengths? Contacted her? Played me off to be a mean son of a bitch who doesn’t care about him?

I just don’t know for sure.

I’ll kill him though.  I really will.

Cheryl tells me that my lawyer is holding the line, so I take it in my office.  Naturally, he reassures me not to worry, that he’s seen dozens of these types of cases before.  “Some family members just can’t let go,” he tells me.  When he asks me the name of the judge, he laughs even more, telling me that he is a golf buddy of his and owes him a few favors.

I already knew it wouldn’t be a problem.

It just annoys me that I should even have to deal with it.

“When we win we’ll file a letter of restraint, Justin,” he tells me.  “It won’t be a problem.  You’ll only need to appear in court this one day, I’ll handle the rest.”

“Thanks Mac,” I sigh.

“I’ll be in touch.”

I hang up the phone, and stare at it for a long time.  I know it’s probably best if I don’t call her.  It will make things worse, she’ll find a way to use it against me, even though it doesn’t matter anyway.

Fuck, I’m too pissed to ignore this.

The phone rings three times in my ear, and I recognize her voice immediately when she picks up.

“What the hell are you doing, Kim?”
r32;

“Oh, Justin,” she says wittily.  “How nice to hear from you.”

“I want to know what brought this on,” I snap.  “I told you to stay away from us.”

“I found your number, so I decided to give my nephews a call, that’s all,” she says quietly.  “I can’t help it that Austin is unhappy.  That nanny though...she seems nice.  Where did you find her?”

I pause.  Abbey talked to her?  “When did you call?”

“Wednesday.”

Abbey didn’t tell me.  It keeps running through my head, over and over again.  She didn’t tell me.  She would have known that she should have.  It doesn’t make sense.  I...I trusted her.  “What did she tell you?”

“That Austin was struggling and Davey still isn’t talking.  I can’t help but be concerned Justin.  Why, with all that money, I would have thought you would have taken care of all of it by now.”

I suck in a long breath.  Money.  “How much is it going to take to get you to drop this thing.”

“I want the boys not your...”r32;

“A million dollars,” I say, with one hand over my eyes.  “I’ll give it to you, to leave us the hell alone.”

Silence.

She’s thinking.  Yeah, she’s a real great relative.  If she loved them, she wouldn’t hesitate to tell me to shove it in my ass.

“A million dollars?”

“Drop this today and I’ll send you the check.”

She sighs.  “Fine.”

“My lawyer will contact you.”

I hang up on her.  Jesus Christ.  Really? Is this really fucking happening?

I call Mac first, to tell him the situation.  He’s not thrilled that I’m about to settle with money, but he knows I don’t feel like dealing with a courtroom, so he reluctantly agrees to do as I ask.  I storm out of my office after that, don’t say a word to Cheryl, or to Trace who is now standing in the hallway.  The only thing I can think of is getting home and giving Abbey the ass reaming of a lifetime.

Shit, I hope I don’t have to find another date to this benefit.

Eight by ialwayzbesingin

“What do you mean, you thought it would be nice?”

He’s standing before me, hands on his hips, while I sit on the couch, hands in my lap, staring up at him with fear pulsing inside of me.  I’ve never been intimidated by him like this, and right now, I wish I’d been a little smarter

For the first time since I’ve been here, he really does have a reason to be annoyed with me.  I mean, the better part of me knew Justin had his reasons for keeping the rest of his extended family away from the boys.  But at the same time, Austin was standing right near me when his aunt called, and when I said: “Kimberly who?” he kind of went nuts, begging me to let him talk.  I figured it couldn’t hurt.  He obviously seemed to miss her, so I let him.

What a mistake.

“Austin he just...he got excited that she was on the phone, so I let him talk to her.”

“Oh okay,” he laughs sarcastically.  “So if a nice stranger called, would you put him on the phone then too?”

“That’s not the same thing,” I mutter.

“He was just waiting for that! Don’t you get it!” He yells at me.  “He knew he could talk about me in a bad way with her and she’d side with him.  She’s...a fucking hick who was probably just out for money in the first place! Now I have to pay her off!”

I sigh.  “I’m sorry.”

“Fuck, you’re sorry?” He runs a hand through his hair.  “Well that’s just great, Abbey.”

“Maybe if you acted a little bit more like a human being around him, he wouldn’t have had a reason to complain!” I scream at him and jump up from the sofa.  “What do you expect!”

“I expect you to have half a fuckin brain!”

We’re up in each others faces now, each of us breathing heavily, each of us knowing the other isn’t about to back down for anything.

“What...what’s going...on?”

It’s Austin.  God.  Not right now.  Please, not right now.  I turn and look at him.  “Austin go...”

“You talked to Aunt Kimberly?” Justin says, focusing his rage on his brother now.  “After I expressly fucking forbid it!”

Austin flips him off with a nasty sneer.

“Austin!” I yell.

But Justin doesn’t wait.  He storms over to Austin, and grabs him by the scruff of his shirt.  “You little asshole!” He screams at him, and then pushes him into the wall harshly.  “Are you trying to ruin my god damn life!”

He stares at his brother for a while, seemingly in disbelief, before he starts to cry like a baby.

“That’s it!” Justin yells and starts to remove his belt.  “If this doesn’t get through to you, nothing will!”

I know what’s next.

“Justin stop it!”  I run up to them as Austin cowers and cries, while Justin wraps part of the belt around his hand and raises it into the air.

I don’t allow him to hit Austin.  I pull his arm back as hard as I can.  “Austin! Go to your room!”

He runs away.

“Get off!”  Justin pushes me back and I fall onto the floor.

He just crossed the line.

We stare at each other after that, for a long time.  His mouth is hanging open slightly, as if he didn’t realize what was happening until just now, while I just stare at him, my eyes welling up with tears, as I try to think of what to do next.

“You don’t let him talk to you about his parents,” I whimper.  “That’s what’s wrong with him.  He doesn’t have anybody else here who understands, and then his aunt calls, and he trusts her and he misses her.  She’s the only other person who knows about the situation, and you’re keeping them apart.”

He drops the belt to the floor, the energy seeming to have drained from him as he sits down on the floor and puts his head in his hands.  “Davey needs a bath,” he says to me.

“I’m not doing anything until we talk this out, Justin.  This is extreme, what just happened.  You’re losing it.  You’re angry, and...I don’t want the boys around you like this.  It’s not safe.  Lucinda ran out for a few minutes.  If I wasn’t here...what would have happened?”

He looks up at me.  For the first time ever...he’s allowing me to see him get emotional.  “I don’t know,” he whispers.  “I...I didn’t...I didn’t mean to do that.”

I just nod, because I don’t know what to say.  Honestly, I’m scared.  Scared enough to quit.  To move back into Char’s and never look back.  I wouldn’t tell anybody about this, for the sake of the boys.  I would just leave them alone.  “I’m really fucking scared of you right now.”

He sighs harshly into his hands, and then rubs his eyes a little.  “I...I don’t deal with it well.  My parents...I...we didn’t talk for years and then they...they were just dead.”

It’s weird, him breaking down like this.  It’s so sudden, I’ve been caught off guard and I’m not sure if I’m ready to listen to this.  The only reason I feel any kind of compassion for him right now, is because I know what it’s like to lose somebody, and feel so fucking confused about it that it makes you want to slit your own throat.  “Maybe talking about it with Austin sometimes, would help you feel better,” I whisper.r32;
“He’s a kid,” Justin croaks.

I shrug.  “He’s smarter than you think he is.”

He shakes his head a little and sniffles loudly before pushing himself to his feet.  “I have an event to finish planning.”  

“So that’s it?” I scoff.

He shrugs.  “I’ll go in and talk to Austin.”

“I think you should just let him be for tonight.”

“Fine,” he mutters.  “I got tickets to the Yankees on Sunday, box seats.  I’ll make it up to him then.”

I just roll my eyes.  “Yeah, that’ll resolve everything.”

“Hey, screw you,” he seethes.  “I’m doing the best I fuckin’ can here.  I was never prepared to raise kids.”

“I’m raising them,” I remind him.  “You’re just a bystander most of the time, popping in when it’s convenient, yelling at Austin whenever you’re pissed off, or he messes up.  You use Davey as somebody to pawn toys and material possessions off on to make you feel like you’re doing a good job,” I sigh, disgusted, as I rise to my feet.  “Goodnight Justin.”

He doesn’t say anything else to me as I head off to bed, and I’m glad those are the final words I left him with.  It’ll give him something to think about, and I sure as hell hope he tones it down.  I mean, if he ever pulls this kind of crap again, I’ll leave.  I swear to God I will.

That was just downright scary.

I lock the door to my room tonight, hoping like hell he doesn’t feel the urge to try and barge in on me.  I need tonight to sleep, to prepare myself for tomorrow because...oh yeah, I still have to go to that benefit with him, if I want to keep my job.  And despite what happened, I still want my job.

I mean, I just got to send payback money to my parents and Charlene with that check he gave me.  It was worth all of this, to get that.  Now I don’t have to feel guilty about all the money I borrowed anymore.  

“Honey, I’m really glad that...you were able to pay us back,” my mom told me the other day when she called me.  “But, where in the world did you get five thousand dollars?”

“Well I...I found a job in my field,” I lied, sort of.  “Marketing at Goldman Sachs.”

“Oh honey! That’s fantastic!”

My parents and I have always been close, which is why I hated lying to her, but what was I supposed to say? ‘Oh mom, I’m working as Justin Timberlake’s super nanny.  I get to live in his house and have him berate me like a piece of shit every single day!’  

Yeah, she would have been on the first flight out.

Although, it would be highly amusing to watch my mom bitch him out.  She’s really good at making people feel guilty about things, even better than I am.  My dad is more of a gentle giant, but again, if he knew how I was being treated by Justin, he wouldn’t hesitate to intimidate the hell out of him.  

I can still remember how much he intimidated Braeden the first time he ever took me out on a date.

“Does your dad really have a shotgun?” He whimpered.

I just laughed.  “I’ll never tell.”

God, I wish he were around.  Around to protect me.  Around so I wouldn’t have to live in Justin’s house, live for somebody else.  Around so I could love him, marry him, and be with him forever.

I drift off thinking these thoughts, dream about him suffering, being beaten and tortured.  I can’t help him.  I scream out for him, try to reach out, take him back with me through my dreams.

I wake up, drenched in sweat.  The clock reads five am.  It’s Saturday morning.

I get up, shower, and put on some slumming around the house clothes before deciding to head downstairs.  I want to watch some of the news before the boys wake up in a few hours, wanting breakfast and cartoons.

I stop dead in my tracks when I see Justin in the middle of the living room, stretching out his calve muscles.  He’s wearing a long white wife beater and navy blue jogging pants that button up the sides.  I’m assuming he’s getting himself ready for his morning workout.  The one that he probably missed last weekend when we went to the zoo.

“Morning.”  He doesn’t smile.  His eyes are small, and tired, like he hasn’t slept.

“Hi,” I croak, and go make myself some coffee.

“Do you like to run?”

I turn as I finish pouring myself a mug full, and shrug a little.  I haven’t done it in a while.  It was ritual for Braeden and I that I haven’t revisited since he went missing.  “I used to run a lot.”

He nods.  “You wanna...maybe...go with me?”

Weird.  I don’t know how I feel about that.  Last night...it was too much.  I want to keep my distance from him badly.  At the same though, I know he’s sorry.  He’s really sorry.  He may be a lot of things, but he’s not violent.  Not intentionally.  “I guess I could, but the boys...”

“Lucinda can handle it.  Besides, we might be back before they get up anyway.”

I nod, agreeing with him.  “Okay.”  I give him a tight smile and he waits for me to finish my coffee before we head out.  

Justin must know how out of shape I am, because he jogs much slower than I’m sure he would normally, so I don’t lag behind.  It’s almost nice, jogging at this hour of the morning.  The busy hustle and bustle of the city hasn’t quite started yet.  It’s peaceful, even if Justin is here.  He’s not bothering me anyway.  We’re not even talking, just jogging.  We jog and jog until we reach Central Park.  Then I stop to catch my breath and Justin does the same.

“Out of shape, huh?”

I pant heavily as I lean over, trying to cure the cramp in my side.  “Just a little.”

“Why’d you stop running?” He chuckles.  “You get bored?”

“No, I just stopped.”

I say it too short and too quick, because he’s looking at me strangely now.  “Well, there must have been a reason.”

I shrug.  “It doesn’t matter.  Can we just go?”

“Ah, so she does have some secrets.”

A small smile cracks at the corner of his mouth, and it just makes me roll my eyes.  No way am I discussing Braeden with him.  That’s sacred, special, mine, and I refuse to let him have an opinion about it.  “I have my life and you have yours,” I state, simply.  “That’s all.”

He considers what I’ve said for a moment.  “Fair enough,” he decides.

We walk through the park together, taking in the scenery as the morning sunlight awakens everything around us.  Birds chirp, flowers bloom.  It’s bliss...beautiful, eases my tension away, and I think that Justin probably comes here for that very same reason.  “It’s nice here.  I’ve never been to this part of the park before,” I tell him.

“I try to come every weekend,” he says.  “It’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve been, though.  I’ve um...I’ve never had company though.  Trace isn’t a real outdoors kind of guy, unless it includes booze and a boat.”

I chuckle.  “He strikes me as that type.”

It’s weird...laughing with him.  After last night I didn’t think he’d be capable of it.  Actually, I think this is the nicest he’s ever been to me.  Even at the zoo, he wasn’t in this good of a mood.  He seems a little at peace with himself right now, but it’s better.  We need to be civil if we’re going to spend the evening together.

Hell, maybe he invited me along with him, just for that reason alone.

“So what happened to miss thing from your living room the other night,” I smirk.  “She didn’t want to come with you to the event tonight?”

“Ah she...” he trails off and sighs.  “We’re taking a break.”r32;
“Meaning, she broke up with you.”

He stares at me, unamused, as I smile back at him.  “Yeah, I guess so.”

I raise an eyebrow.  “Must have bruised your ego.”

“A little,” he chuckles.  “But I think I’ll get over it.  Too much is going on for me to worry about Danielle.  It’s for the best, I think.”

It’s a typical answer.  I can tell he’s still pissed, that he never expected to be the one to get dumped, to have his date ditch him.  Lucky for him I’m around to save the day, even though he’s paying me for my services like some kind of female escort.  I shudder.

“So you’re from Colorado?”

We reach a clearing and there is a coffee stand, Justin buys us some bottled water, and we continue to walk along.  I nod a little.  I never told him that but I’m sure he must have read it on my application.  “Yeah.  Brighton, actually.  It’s near Denver.  My parents still live there.”

“I’ve been to Vail and Aspen,” he says.  “I like to snowboard.  I was thinking about taking the boys in October or November.”

Braeden was a skier.  I always, always fell on my ass every time we went, but I still had a great time.  “I’m terrible at anything that has to do with sliding around on plastic,” I chuckle.

“Well, I could teach you,” he smirks.  “You can come.”

I look at him strangely.  “You know, you’re being...really...”

“I just...I don’t want you mad at me,” he confesses quickly.  “I still feel really dumb about last night.  I acted like a barbarian or something.”r32;
I’m surprised that he’s admitting that.  That he’s actually acting well...human.  Maybe what I said to him last night really made an impact.  “Well, you should feel that way,” I chuckle and take a sip of my water.  “But I wouldn’t dwell on it long.  There will be something else that comes up to take your mind off of it anyway.  Just...keep your emotions in check next time.”

“Noted,” he says lightly.  “So uh, what about you? I mean, you’ve never come to me and said you have a date or anything that you need to go do.”

I don’t get it.  Why is he getting on this subject with me? It’s too awkward, the guy is my boss.  “I thought you liked it better that I was single.”

“Oh, I do,” he smirks.  “It just strikes me as weird that a girl like you doesn’t have much of a social life.”

“A girl like me?” I scoff.  “What’s that mean?”

“I just...”

His phone starts to ring.  Thank God, because I was about to get very, very uncomfortable.

He scowls as he digs it out of his pocket.  ‘Yeah, hello? No! No! I told you not til Monday!”

He’s been distracted from everything we just talked about, just like I knew he would be.  He’s walking ahead of me now, shouting at whoever has just called him about some business related item.  I let him.  Jesus.  That was weird.  So weird.  

It was like...he’d suddenly gotten curious about me in a sexual way.  That’s not supposed to happen.  I will not go running with Justin again.  It must be something about the morning air...and the birds.  Yeah, the birds must have provoked his mood.  Hell, he just got dumped too so he must be on the rebound, no matter how much he tries to tell me Danielle’s absence doesn’t bother him.

I wander alongside him all the way back to his penthouse, and he manages to stay on the phone the entire time.  Occasionally he hangs up to make another call, muttering to himself about people being ‘fuckin’ idiots’ as if I’m not even around, and I know the Justin I’ve come to know so well has finally returned to me this morning.  The boys are both up once we get back inside.  Lucinda is yammering to them in what little English she knows.  They are chasing each other around the table, smiling and laughing, while she’s trying to get them to sit and eat their breakfast.

“Hey!” I yell at them with a smile.  “Settle down, okay?”

They stop running, and stare at me.  I can still hear Justin somewhere behind me, shouting into the phone.  

“Let’s eat.”  I take my seat and the boys follow my lead.  Soon they are both digging into their breakfasts without another sound.  I look at Lucinda and she is smiling at me, as if to say, ‘I don’t know how you do it.’

I don’t either.

Justin finally joins us about halfway into our meals, and I can see Austin tense up slightly as he takes his seat at the head of the kitchen island.  Lucinda automatically plants a large plate of eggs, bacon, and sausage in front of him, which he quickly starts to consume.  “So...you guys wanna go see the Yankees tomorrow?” he asks, his mouth full of food.

Davey nods his head with a smile, while Austin just stares at him.

“So...” he trails off and glances at me for a second.  “That’s a yes?”

“Thought I was in trouble,” Austin mutters.

“You’re okay, buddy,” Justin winks at him.

“Oh.”  Austin immediately looks at me and I give him a small wink.  Then he smiles.  “Is Abbey comin too?”

Justin shrugs and chuckles a little.  “If she wants to.”

They’re all looking at me right now for an answer.  Christ, I feel like I’ve become the mother in this severely dysfunctional family.  I shouldn’t be as close as I am with the boys, and I know that...but if I’m not, if I stand back a little bit, who will they have? Who will play with them and laugh at Austin’s slightly corny jokes?  Nobody.  “If you want me to, I’ll go.”

“YAY!!” Davey cheers and claps his hands.

Justin and I look at each other then, for the first time cracking up together like we’re the best of friends.  It’s strange.  It’s like he’s sort of changed himself magically overnight.  Sure, he was on a business call and mean as ever but he didn’t bring that attitude to the breakfast table.  Maybe he’s starting to realize some things...that the boys are really important and the way he acts around them matters a lot.  Maybe he’s starting to realize that I’m a person too, that I have feelings...

Although, I’m not so sure if him getting closer to me is the best thing in the world, either.
****************
After breakfast, Trace’s girlfriend, Sydney, came by to take me to the hair appointment that Justin had told me about.  I was nervous about being alone with one of Justin’s friends, especially since she was Trace’s girlfriend.  I was afraid she was going to ask me all sorts of weird questions, including why it was that Justin chose me to bring to the benefit when he could pretty much have any woman in Manhattan on his arm.

But she didn’t.  Sydney has minded her own business the entire time we’ve been out.  The only thing we’ve discussed in detail is the children in our lives.  She has a daughter, Kristy, that’s about Austin’s age.  She is her world, and apparently she’s Trace’s world as well.  I could tell how much she loves the two of them.  I could see that glow on her face and the twinkle in her eyes whenever she would say one of their names.  It’s the way I used to feel when Braeden was around.

I didn’t want to be jealous of her either, I knew it was wrong, but I just...couldn’t help it.  It had been too long since I’d felt that way, completely happy and content, and it made me sad to think I would probably never feel that way again.  I refused to let my feelings show though. I wanted Sydney’s opinion of me to stay simple.  I wanted her to say: ‘she’s a nice girl, but I don’t really know her that well.’ That was fine with me.  The less people I associated myself with in Justin’s life, the better.  I was an employee, not a friend.

Night has fallen.  Justin, surprisingly enough, took it upon himself to set up the kids in his movie theater for the evening, so I could get ready.  I was able to meet and talk to Sydney’s daughter briefly.  I wanted to make sure she wasn’t wild or rowdy, and it turns out that she’s a very well behaved child.  Somebody who will keep Austin’s mood swings at bay, and that’s a good thing.  Trace’s sitter is nice too.  She’s younger than I am, in her freshman year of college, but she seems very trustworthy.  I could tell Sydney is pretty strict as a mother and wouldn’t play games with who she hired to watch her daughter.

I sigh as I gaze at my reflection in the mirror.  At least the kids are taken care of.  

I, on the other hand, look so fucking out of place with my hair done up, wearing this ridiculously overpriced gown.  I can remember going to a few weddings when I was a kid, but my dresses were always ordinary and plain.  When I went to my senior prom, my dress was simple as well, but Braeden was always one for simplicity.  Tonight...I’m just over the top tonight.  But that’s what Justin wants.

That’s what he’s paying me for.

There’s a knock at the door, and I pray to god it’s not Justin.  Not yet.  I’m not ready.  “It’s open,” I murmur.

“Hey, hun.”  I see Sydney enter the room and I’m relieved.  She’s smiling a little bit and closes the door gently behind her.  “Justin wanted me to give you this.”  She hands me a square velvet box, that could only contain the jewelry he was telling me about earlier in the week.  

I take it from her gently, and open it up.  The diamond necklace takes my breath away.  It looks like something the royals would wear.  I’m nauseated.  What if I lose it? Oh God.  “I...I can’t wear this...” I stutter.

“Awe, you’re so cute,” she giggles.  “But come on, you have to put it on.  Justin won’t stop talking about seeing it on you.”

I wish he would stop.

Sydney takes the necklace out of the box and gently places it around my neck, fastening the clasp in the back for me.  “Fuck, that is incredible,” she sighs as she gazes back at me in the mirror.  “I’m so jealous.”

“I’m going to lose it.”

“No you won’t,” she cackles.  “You’ll be okay, just remember to smile and act like you’re having the time of your life.  You’re lucky you know? You don’t have to worry about what people think of you.”

Yeah, I’m just the nanny, anyway.  I think it but don’t say it out loud because I don’t want to come off as a bitch in front of her.  Instead, I flash her a nervous smile.  “So, I’m guessing they’re waiting for us?”r32;
She nods.  “Justin said whenever you’re ready, but I know him, and he most likely means I should get you to hurry up.”

I laugh a little.  “Yeah, that’s Justin.”

“I don’t know how you put up with him,” she snickers as we leave the room.  “I can’t stand him for more than a few hours at a time.  Working for him must give you a daily migraine.”

I shrug.  “I’m good with kids.”

She laughs loudly.

I reach the top of the stairs.  Justin and Trace are at the bottom, but Justin’s back is turned to me, phone pressed to his ear.  Typical.  Trace sees me though, and I see his eyes go wide...his mouth even falls open a little.  God, he must think I look like a train wreck.  Sydney moves past me and descends the stairs to meet her boyfriend, but I’m...I’m still trying to get my bearings.  Then I see Trace nudge Justin, and he gets off the phone as he turns around.

That’s when I see it, that look...that one look a guy can give to you that says you’ve taken his breath away.

It’s so dangerous, because I can’t be with anybody...not ever, especially Justin.

“Wow, Abbey,” Trace snickers as he hugs Sydney close to his side.  “You look amazing.”

I can’t answer him.  My eyes are still locked hopelessly on Justin’s expression.

“You um...you’re ready, right?” He rasps.

Trace and Sydney both give him a weird look, and I decide to make the moment less difficult by walking down the stairs and over to my date.  “I’m ready,” I say gently, quickly looking him over.  He’s wearing a very classy looking tuxedo, with a long black tie.  It’s the kind of tux you would see at the Oscars or the Grammys.  I hate to admit it, and I shouldn’t admit it because he’s my boss...because he’s an asshole most of the time...

But he really looks good tonight.

“Shouldn’t I say bye to the kids?” I ask him, as Trace and Sydney lead the way out the door.

“I said bye to them,” Justin chuckles.  “Don’t worry.  They’re fine...they have movies.”

His answer doesn’t reassure me much, but I don’t really have an option to turn back, because we’re on the elevator now.  We all ride it down silently, and when we get out, the door man nods to us and says that our car is waiting outside.  We go out the doors and Quincy is there to greet us with his bright, wide smile. 


“Well, my my, Miss Abbey.”  He tips his hat to me as Trace and Sydney get in the back of the sleek looking limousine he’s driving tonight.  “You look very, very, lovely.”

I feel my cheeks burning.  “Thanks, Quincy.”

“Hey man, stop hitting on my date.”  Justin nudges him and laughs a little, as he lets me get into the limo ahead of him.

Trace has opened an expensive looking bottle of champagne, and passes me a glass while Justin gets in and sits down next to me.  I sip my drink, as he pulls some index cards out of his pocket and begins to mumble the words written on them to himself.  Obviously, it’s his speech for tonight, and I start to think how cute it is that he’s such a perfectionist.

But then I snap myself out of it.

“Hey, I heard Trump is coming,” Trace laughs as he puts an arm around Sydney.

Justin chuckles but doesn’t take his gaze away from his index cards.  “I doubt it.  The guy can’t stand me.”

“He’s just pissed because you intimidate him, that’s all.  You’re about twenty years younger than he is and you have ten times the fortune he had at that age.”

I guess Charlene was right about Justin giving the guy a run for his money.

“If we open the hotel in midtown, it’ll be war,” he smirks a little as he shoves his cards back into his jacket.  

“What do you mean if?” Trace smirks.  “We’re breaking ground next month.”

Justin shrugs.  “I don’t know.  If we don’t do well, the firm will take a hit.”

“I’ve already told you why it’s going to do well, and you have me heading up the project, besides,” he reassures him.  “You can’t get much better than that.”

Sydney snorts.  “Now baby, lets not be full of ourselves.”

“Hey I’m just saying,” Trace smirks.  “It’s not in my nature to fail.”

Justin sort of laughs and rubs his upper lip before glancing out the window for a moment.  I can tell he’s a little bit stressed about this particular subject, but I have nothing to say, because he doesn’t talk about business with me.  Wow, what the hell can I talk about with him tonight? The kids? No.  That just won’t do.  I wish I’d been brought up in a socialite setting, having been trained on what to talk to your date about on a night such as this.

But I’m just a normal girl.

Trace and Sydney begin to get...close.  Meaning, he’s kissing her neck and she’s giggling into him.  They’re both disregarding the fact that they’re in the same car as us, and when I look at Justin, he doesn’t seem phased.  It’s common practice for them to do this, I realize.  I shouldn’t be so surprised.  This is his world...sex, money, power.  I should get used to it, because it’s obvious I’ll be seeing a lot more of this behavior tonight.

“You look nice tonight.”

I snap to attention, stare at him and take a huge gulp of champagne.  “Thanks,” I whisper.

“I mean it.  The dress...your hair, everything is perfect.”

I just nod.

We don’t speak for the rest of the trip.  I think he realizes that he’s making me uncomfortable, and I’m too nervous to try and ease the tension between us, so I just stare out at the city, trying to go over in my head how I should act when we arrive at our destination.  I remind myself to smile, to take slow, even steps so I don’t trip over my long gown in these heels.

God, my feet are killing me.

We pull up in front of a majestic looking building.  It’s been decorated on the outside with ice sculptures, and a five violin orchestra greets people as they make their way down the long carpet.  There is a small line of people walking up the large flight of steps, being checked in upon reaching the top of them.  Shit, we haven’t even gotten inside yet, and it already looks like the event of the year.

“You’re trembling.”

I look at him, and when I look down I realize his hand is on top of mine.  “I...”  I pull my hand away and suck in my bottom lip.  “I’ll be okay.”

“Look, they’re only people,” he reassures me.  “I know...this isn’t exactly normal for you, but I won’t leave you alone or anything unless it’s absolutely necessary.”

A strange feeling comes over me.  It’s one of reassurance...and one that’s also making me feel like he actually gives a damn about me.  “O-okay,” I nod slowly.

Quincy opens the door, and I see a million flashes go off as Justin gets out of the car.  Jesus, I didn’t think he was on that level...like a celebrity.  But I guess I should have known better.  He’s on the covers of magazines, and I swear...he’s been on Letterman before too.  

“Let’s go girl,” I hear Trace chuckling from behind me.  “You’re holding up the line.”

“Trace, stop it,” Sydney snaps.  “She’s nervous.  I have no idea why he even wanted to bring her.  Look at her...she’s freaking out.”

I could slap her.  Slap them both even.  It gives me incentive to get out of the car as quickly as possible.  Then the worst happens.  I trip over my gown after taking just one step, and I feel myself going down...but then...

“Whoa.”  Justin reaches out and catches me in his arms.  A flash goes off.  Great.  That’ll end up on page five tomorrow, I’m sure.  “You okay?” He laughs.

I roll my eyes at him.  “Just great.”

“C’mon.”  He has me loop his arm through his.  “It’s not this bad inside, I swear.”

We walk down the red carpet that leads up the staircase, like we’re some kind of royalty.  Flashes go off all around us, and Justin nods and waves at the various press people that call out his name.  I try to look straight ahead, not make myself known, but it’s difficult.  He stops sometimes, we have to take pictures as a “couple.”  I wish he would have told me this to begin with.  Although, if he had, I doubt I would have came.

We finally make our way inside, and are immediately taken to a table set in the front of the house.  I have to admit, Justin’s choice of table linens was right on the money, and all the decorations in the room have been centered on the colors and the pattern.  It’s a very grand, royal setting, and by the looks of things, everybody who RSVP’d was true to their word. The place is packed, and I realize that our party is among the last to arrive.  I take a seat, relieved, and when one of the waiters offers me some wine, I take it with a grateful smile.

Our table is soon joined by two other couples that Justin, Trace, and Sydney seem to know very well.  Neither of them acknowledge me.  In fact, one of the women even studies me with her eyes, as if she can just tell I don’t belong here.  Justin doesn’t introduce me, but I think it’s better.  I don’t want to deal with people I’ll probably never see again, anyway.  I just want to get through this night, go home, and sink back into my normal nanny lifestyle where it all makes sense.

“Ladies and gentleman.”

The lights dim slightly, and I watch as all the people who were milling around scurry back to their seats.  I look up at the podium, and a middle aged man has taken the stage.  I’m assuming he either works for Justin, or is the leader of the cause he is here to support tonight.

“On behalf of the New York City Department of Education, I would like to welcome you all to the first annual Literacy Foundation Gala!”

The room erupts with applause, and Trace is hooting like he’s at the ballpark.  I roll my eyes and look at Justin, who is smiling simply to himself as he claps his hands.  It’s funny, I don’t think he cares if Trace is making an ass out of himself right now, for whatever reason.  He’s so focused, like he really cares about being here.

It’s so unlike him.

“I’d like to introduce you all to a man, who at just twenty four years of age has gained more power and wealth than most.  Yet, he is a simple man.  A kind man.  A generous man, who is always focused on the welfare of our schools, and the community around him first and foremost.”

I roll my eyes.  This guy has gotta be fucking kidding me.

“He has become the founder of our newest and greatest educational tool in a century.  So, without further adieu, ladies and gentleman, I give you the youngest CEO in Wall Street history, Mr. Justin Timberlake!”

The crowd erupts into applause again, and the spotlight shines down on Justin as he slowly stands up, an embarrassed expression on his face.  He turns back to me quickly and shrugs a little bit, before making his way up onto the stage.  The moment he does, a banner drops down behind him that reads:

The Justin Timberlake Literacy Foundation.  Improving Literacy For A Better New York City.

It makes me cringe.  Makes me feel sick to my stomach because I know Justin doesn’t give a crap about education...or literacy.  It’s all a farce.  A way to get people to like him more, so he can still be an asshole in private.

“Thank you,” he smiles and holds up his hand when he reaches the podium so the applause will die down.  He clears his throat quickly and reaches into his jacket pocket producing the index cards a moment later.  He casually places them down in front of him on the large black podium and glances at them quickly before looking out at the audience.  “Thank you all for coming tonight.  I can’t emphasize enough, how important it is for all of our school children to read well in today’s fast paced world.  When I came here seven years ago, I could barely read a bus schedule.  It’s a scary thing to live through, and if I can prevent that from happening to another child...another adult, I’ll do whatever it takes.”

Applause.

I stare at him.  What the hell? I mean...what?  Justin, undereducated?  Justin, weak, confused? Never...

What the hell?

“Tonight, I’d like to ask all of you to make a small donation...or a large one,” he laughs, and is met by laughter from the audience as well. “To our foundation.  With your help, we can set the groundwork for new, more dedicated teachers in our Manhattan public schools, as well as public schools in our outer boroughs.  We will also be able to create private, free, learning centers throughout the city. By doing this we can connect with the children that do not get the same advantages as those in private academies.  Our goal, is to raise the literacy rate in New York City by fifty percent over the next five years.  Please, dance tonight, have fun, but also keep our precious cause in the back of your minds.  Thank you.”

The loudest roar of applause comes now.  The room is shaking.  Everybody loves him, and Justin is smiling and waving, as if he’s such a humble man.  I just stare.  I’m in shock I think.  I just... I mean, I never thought he struggled with an issue like that.  Of course he never told me but he carries himself so well, and speaks with such eloquence that the thought never would have crossed my mind. I guess I can’t dislike him as much now.  I mean, he just got up in front of the most powerful people in New York City and told them all that he hadn’t been able to read a few years ago.  That takes guts.

I feel like there’s an entire side to Justin, lurking underneath his tough exterior, that he barely lets anybody see.  I got a taste of it last night, and now, I’m seeing it even more.  I know it won’t last.  When the clock strikes midnight he’ll turn back into an asshole, just like the coach turned back into a pumpkin.

“You’re gonna raise a crap load of money for this thing,” Trace says enthusiastically as Justin takes his seat again and sips his wine.  “They ate it up.  There’s a line at the donation box right now!”

He nods a little at him, and barely looks at me.  “Hope so,” he says, as he empties his glass.

I sit there and stare down at the table.  Soon, the light in the room is brought back to normal, and I hear a band begin to play on a stage at the other end of the ballroom.  One by one, couples begin to gravitate towards the dance floor in the center of the room.  I watch them as they hold each other, smile and laugh, like they don’t have a care in the world.  

Trace and Sydney get up soon too, along with the other two couples at our table, and they all head out to dance.  I’m left alone with Justin, and when he doesn’t follow them, I realize it was never his intention to leave me here alone to dance with somebody else.

“Did I freak you out?” He says, as he stares down at his shoes.

“No...I...” I suck in a long breath.  “I guess you just caught me off guard.”

“I figured telling these people would get them to donate more money,” he says gently.  “That’s why I put this thing together.  I don’t really...care what they think about my past, you know?”

I shake my head.  “They shouldn’t think less of you for it.”

He shrugs.  “Yeah but, you probably do.”

“I don’t.  It’s nothing to be ashamed of Justin.  I mean, you came out of it and look where you are now,” I say.  “What does it matter what I think anyway?”

He just stares at me.  “Let’s go dance.”

I laugh nervously.  “No, that’s okay.”

“Come on, people will think we’re weird if we don’t dance.”

“We aren’t a “we”,” I remind him.  “I came here with you as arm candy, that’s it.”

He narrows his eyes at me.  “I could have taken anybody as arm candy, Abbey.”

I can’t dance with him.  I can’t.  I can’t let him put his arms around me, and act like it’s a perfectly normal thing.  It just wouldn’t be fair to Braeden.  I swore to myself, I would never let anybody else in once those papers were signed and he’d been pronounced dead.  “Justin...”

He gets up and holds his hand out to me. A perfect smile appears on his face, as if being here, with me, means the world to him.  “Let me dance with you,” he whispers.  “I’d be honored to dance with you.  C’mon, I don’t want to be snubbed by the most beautiful woman in the room at my own benefit.”

Why does he have to put it like that?  Fuck, now I’m beautiful? What’s going on?  “God.”  I squeeze my eyes shut and when I open them again, and still see him standing there, smiling at me, I reluctantly take his hand.  He guides me out to the center of the ballroom floor, I can feel people’s eyes on me, and I start to look, but then he leans in and whispers...

“Don’t look at them.”  He pulls my arms up so I’ll wrap them around his neck, and he places his hands at my waist.  A soulful singer has taken the stage, a piano being her source of musical accompaniment.  She begins to sing a slow love song, the words I can’t pay attention to because he’s looking too deep into my eyes, and his smile is too big.

Jesus, what is this night turning into?

Nine by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Lora for the banner! You can see it on the top of chapter one!
She’s breathtaking, and I can’t stop watching her...her eyes, her smile, her mesmerized expression as we dance together.  It’s strange for me because she works for me and...I don’t think I’ve ever danced this way with a woman before and really, truly enjoyed it.

But she gets me.

She doesn’t care that I used to be weak or...

Or that I still can be, at times.

I lost it last night and I’ll be the first one to admit that.  Kimberly got me so damn fired up though, that I couldn’t think straight.  All I kept thinking about was how selfish she was, how quick she was to take the money I offered her.  She didn’t care about the boys at all.  She was trying to prove a point to me with them, and that was all.  I blamed Abbey, and then...I blamed Austin because he came into the room.

I scared the shit out of both of them.  I took off my belt like my father used to do to me, and almost beat my brother with it.  If it hadn’t been for Abbey I don’t know what would have happened either.

I never...I never want to be that angry again.

I went to my room after Abbey went to bed, and just...lied awake, thinking about everything that had happened since I left home.  I’d come so far, I’d forgotten about so much, and when I was landed with my brothers they started reminding me of what I left behind.  I couldn’t deal with them.  I didn’t know how.  Davey was easier to please because he didn’t talk and just needed a little bit of love, but Austin was another story.  He had a lot of anger in him, just like I did...

And Abbey showed me what was happening to him, how withdrawn he was becoming due to my negligence.

I need to be gentler, spend more quality time talking about his issues with him if I can, but It’s just like...fuck, I have so much coming up at work at the same time.  I just don’t know if I have the energy to do both, and work...work will always come first.  Business prevails.  It always has and always will because money is my life.

Before the boys came along, Trace and I were thinking up a way to branch out from the firm a little bit.  A hotel came to mind, because Trump had started doing it, and it was how he made most of his fortune.  I knew we could pull it off, because we’d already conquered the stock market.  We just needed a good image for the place, something different that would make people want to pay top dollar to stay there.  Location was key, and right before I got word that my parents passed, we found the perfect spot between midtown and the theater district to build it.  We began to partner with an architect, and some of the top interior designers in New York, to make our dream a reality.

Then I got the call, and everything seemed to stop.

Now that things are getting back to normal, Trace has pressured me back into breaking ground.  I mean, it’s not that I don’t want to do it.  I do...I’m just not so sure how successful we’ll be.  I’ve seen a lot of successful people try to build hotels, restaurants and nightclubs, only to fail miserably months later.  Would I go broke if the place bombed? Of course not, but we would still lose money, and I would be fucking embarrassed.  I guess I just need some kind of sure sign that we’ll be successful with this whole thing, only I have no idea where I can find one.  Trace isn’t going to wait around forever either.  This is more of his brain child than it is mine, and he’s eager to make his big money.  Yeah, he’s rich, but he’s only making the money he does because of me.  I know he wants a name for himself instead of just ‘Justin Timberlake’s business partner.’

I can’t blame him.

I wouldn’t want to live in my best friend’s shadow either, especially if I was the one who helped get him to the top.

I’ll focus on the project on Monday though, have a conference with my board, and one privately with Trace.  I want to get this exactly right.  For now though, I’ll worry about the weekend, stay happy because my benefit is going great.  I’m going to have to get Cheryl some kind of gift.  She wrote me one hell of a speech, and now the donation boxes are going to fill up because of it.  I’m pleased.  Pleased with the turn out and pleased that people believe in what I’m trying to do.  It’s strange that they all look up to me.  Most of these people are in their late thirties, early forties.  I’m still a kid compared to them, but for some reason I have all the power.  I can influence them...get them to do anything I want.

The rush is incredible.

“Why are you smirking?”

I focus on her again.  She’s so damn nervous, I know she is.  I can’t lie, I know all eyes are on us right now as we dance.  All these people want to know who Abbey is, how long I’ve been with her, how we met.

If they knew she was the nanny they’d probably die of shock.

I mean, it’s not exactly common, bringing the help to an event like this.  Most of these people would never bring their hired help around their friends.  They’re too stuck up.  Okay, I’ll admit, I wouldn’t bring Lucinda around these people either.  Abbey is different though.  She can pass as one of us, and I made sure she could when I sent her to Roberta.  Of course, I wasn’t intending on being blown away by her tonight.  When she made her appearance at the top of my stairs, I was expecting to see my nanny.  The girl that was raising my brothers for me.

I didn’t expect to see...well...the most beautiful woman I’ve seen in a really, really long time.

I was breathless.  I couldn’t stop staring at her.

She knew it too, and that’s dangerous.  One thing every man knows, is that you should never ever let a woman know how much of a hold she has on you, unless you’re ready to get serious.

And I’m not.  At all.

I can’t afford to be captivated by any woman.  Having fun is as far as I go.  That’s how it’s been since I started on Wall Street and I have no intention on changing my ways.

“I was just thinking,” I say with a light laugh.  “I’m just happy I guess.  The event is going really well.  I’m going to raise a lot of money tonight.”

She bows her head for a moment, before meeting my gaze again.  “I think it’s really great...what you’re doing.  I guess I just wish you would put this much effort into other things.”

I sigh.  It figures she would guilt trip me right now.  She’s got me cornered out here on the dance floor, and I can’t exactly run away.  Too many people are watching, and I don’t need rumors being spread about me.  “I’m trying,” I mutter.  “I’ll try harder.”

“As long as you try,” she rolls her eyes.

“Hey,” I grip her waist a little tighter and pull her slightly closer to me.  “Are you always this uptight?  Can’t you just enjoy the evening? I mean, no kids...no work, I’m sure as hell having the time of my life.  You should be too.”

Her eyes get sad, as if there’s something she wishes she could explain, but she just won’t.  “This isn’t the same for me as it is for you.  This is work.”

I sigh.  “That wasn’t my intention.  Not completely.”

“You basically threatened my job,” she mutters.  “I had no choice.”

“So you’re sorry that you’re here,” I nod sadly.  I mean, hell, I didn’t meant to make her this miserable.  Sure, I shouldn’t have been as harsh with her when I told her I needed her to be my date.  I was just...desperate.  I have to learn to calm down.  

I’m starting to learn just how valuable Abbey is.  I can’t lose her, but I will if I keep pushing her around, ordering her around like she’s some kind of slave.  She’s opened my eyes just a little bit...maybe even...opened my heart.  I don’t know though.

That’s silly.

“I’m...I’m sorry,” she sighs.  “I just...it’s been a long time since I’ve done this.”

I raise an eyebrow.  There’s more to her.  A deep emotional kind of more that isn’t really any of my business.  I’ve seen the look on her face before.  Sometimes, when she’s not paying attention, I’ll watch her as she sits on the sofa watching the news.  Part of her just won’t be there.  It’s like she’s gone off someplace else that nobody can touch.  “What...danced?”

She presses her lips together.  “Yeah, I guess.”

“We can stop,” I whisper, not realizing how close she’s gotten to me until I feel her head resting against my chest.

“I don’t know if I want to.  That’s probably the worst thing.  It’s...nice, doing this.  It makes me feel rotten inside that I’m enjoying myself.”

I smirk a little bit and gaze down at her.  “You wanna talk about it?”

She glances up at me, unsure, afraid.  “I don’t know why the hell I feel okay talking about it with you.  You’re the last person I should want to talk to about anything.”

It doesn’t shock me, of course.  We’ve basically only tolerated each other up until last night.  Something just...clicked today.  This morning, walking through the park with her.  It felt different.  It felt...right, strangely enough.  It was like, I was supposed to be with her.  I could feel it, but I quickly tucked those feelings away.  It wasn’t possible.  I would hurt her.  I stopped thinking about it.  Then my phone rang, and I was so fuckin’ thankful.  “We can just dance then,” I whisper.

She’s silent for a while as I continue to hold her against me while we dance slowly together.  It’s a natural reaction when I reach up to run my fingers through her hair.  She looks up at me suddenly, and when I let my hand fall onto her cheek, she puts hers over mine.  She doesn’t push it away though.  She keeps it there.

“You said you don’t understand why I have no social life,” she tells me.

“I...I was just talking,” I say quickly.  “You don’t have to explain anything.”

“You should know.  I mean, it’s not exactly normal.  Anybody else would be escaping your house and the kids on the weekends to have fun.  But I...I haven’t wanted to have fun in years, Justin.  I just...don’t.  I tolerate life.  The only reason I took this job with you is because my best friend practically kicked me out of her house so I would.  I’ve been a shut in.  I needed money so I applied for the job, but that was the only reason why.  At first I just...I hated it, being in your house.”

I nod, but don’t say anything.  She’s spilling her guts to me on tonight of all nights, and I’ll let her, because I have no idea when we’ll have a moment like this again to ourselves.  

“But the boys, they...they make me want to be better,” she admits.  “I couldn’t leave them.  They make me forget about what happened.” She sighs and sucks in her lower lip.  “My boyfriend...Braeden, he was in the army.  He went missing in Afghanistan six years ago while he was on a mission.  They...they pronounced him legally dead, and I basically fell apart.”

This is why she gets me.  I realize it quickly.  She lost somebody, and by the looks of it, he was the love of her life too.  I’m really bad with emotional shit.  Just like at the funeral  with my brothers, I just stare at her, not knowing what to say.  I blink a few times...she stares at me, the tears creeping quietly down her cheeks.  We’ve stopped dancing now.  “I’m...I’m sorry,” I whisper.

“Yeah.  I...God, I’m an idiot.  Just forget it.”  She pulls herself out of my arms, and runs away from me.

“Abbey!”  I yell out to her, and can feel the stares I’m getting from my guests as I run through the place, but I just don’t care.  She can’t just run off on me.  “Abbey wait!”

She slips in the hallway, falls down on the floor right before the exit, and starts to sob into her hands.  “Hey.”  I crouch down, and thank the heavens that there are no more people walking in and out right now.  “It’s...it’s okay...”r32;
“It’s not okay,” she sobs, and picks her head up from her hands.  “It’s never going to be okay, Justin.  I’m sick of people telling me that it will be, that I should just...stop loving him!”

“You don’t have to stop loving him,” I say, my voice quivering as I sit down on the floor with her.  Weird, this is so unlike me, comforting somebody.  “Nobody can make you stop.”

But fuck...maybe I might be starting to care about her, just a little.

Shit.  This isn’t supposed to happen.

But I can’t stop myself.  

“I just wish I knew what happened to him,” she whimpers.  “I wish somebody would find something...tell me something.  It’s the worst part, not knowing.  I mean, they pronounced him dead but they never found his body.  What if he’s still out there? It’s all I think about, and...and if he is alive, how can I help him? I can’t.  He could be sick, or he could have lost his memory.  Sometimes, I just pray that he really is dead, because I don’t want him to suffer, you know? But it’s hard.  It’s so fucking hard and then...then I have to plaster a smile on my face for you...”

She gasps and looks up at me, like she knows she said something she shouldn’t have.  But I’m not angry.  No, because I get it.  I’m a fucking asshole to her, and there’s no reason for it.  “I shouldn’t be making things this difficult.” I whisper.  “I...I’ve never...had a reason to care about somebody else before.”

She nods and wipes at her eyes, smearing her mascara.  “I’m sorry that I just freaked out.  It was dumb.”

I shake my head and smile a little bit.  “I’m glad you did.”

I help her to her feet, and instead of pulling her back in the room right away, I pull her close to me, and we hug.  We hug for a long time, and it’s the first real genuine thing I’ve ever done with her before.  It’s like we can be friends now.  Just friends, but that’s okay.

I need her to be my friend, and I think she needs me to be hers as well.

I think we might be able to help each other out.

“Hey, Justin.”

I snap to attention, but don’t stop holding her and we both look towards the doorway that leads back into the ballroom.  Trace is standing there, smirking a little bit, and I can feel Abbey pressing her face into my chest.  “What’s up?” I say, slightly irritated with him for catching me like this.

“Trump is here.  He wants to talk to us about the hotel,” he smiles.

I should go.  It’s an amazing opportunity, getting to talk to the guy one on one.

“I can’t right now,” I whisper.

He stands there, seemingly appalled at what I just said.  “What?”

“Just go ahead.  Schedule an appointment for him to meet with me next week.”

“Dude are you fuckin’ high? You don’t make appointments with Trump.  We need this,” he pleads.  “Come on.”

“Go,” Abbey whispers.  “You should go.”

I sigh harshly.  She expects me to ditch her.  That’s not how I want things to be anymore.  I want her to be able to rely on me, because I rely on her for way too much.  “We’ll talk...tomorrow, okay?”

She just nods, and puts a hand over her mouth as she quickly rushes back into the ball room.

“What the hell is going on?” Trace says, looking back over his shoulder as he steps out into the hallway.  “What did you say to her?”

“She was telling me something,” I say, my expression stern.  “She needed a friend.”

He cocks his head to the side.  “Now you’re friends with this girl?”

I shrug.  “Is that so terrible?”

“I dunno.  She’s the god damn hired help, and she almost distracted you from going to talk to fucking Donald Trump?  What the hell happened to you?”

“Just fuck off, Trace,” I try to brush past him, but he stands in my way.  “What? Let’s go.”

“Don’t tell me to fuck off,” he sneers.  “I’m busting my ass to get this plan up and running, and all you can do is cuddle with the god damn nanny.”

He’s right.  I’m fucking moronic for becoming distracted.  I mean, Donald Trump is here at my benefit.  He wants to talk to me.  He sought me out on his own, and that’s so huge.  So huge and was just about blow it all off for Abbey.  What the hell am I doing? Snap out of it, Justin.  “Sorry,” I huff.  “I just...my head was in another place.”

“Next time, don’t dress up the nanny,” he says, finally smiling a little bit again.  “Bring some other bitch who you couldn’t possibly have feelings for.”

He tugs me back into the ballroom before I can get another word out.  I look around, and spot Abbey at our table sitting with Sydney.  They’re talking, so maybe that’s good, even though I can’t stand Sydney.

“Mr. Timberlake.”

I smile as I shake Donald Trumps hand.  He’s sitting at a table in the far corner, most likely to make his appearance here more discreet.  “It’s an honor sir,” I force a professional smile and put Abbey...put everything that just happened completely out of my head.

“What do you think about...merging?”

I look at Trace and he’s smirking, like he’s ready to jump in the air and scream ‘yipeeee’.  “Sir?”r32;
“I’m interested in doing business together, Mr. Timberlake.  You’re the most brilliant entrepreneur I’ve come across in my many years on Wall Street.  I believe, with some hard work, we could do amazing things together. Mr. Ayala was telling me you were both interested in getting started in the hotel business.  I thought that we could partner together, start a whole new line of hotels, not just here...but all over the world.  Would you be interested?”

I’d say ‘hell yes,’ but that would probably sound juvenile.  I want to sound like my professional self.  The one who intimidated Mr. Trump enough to make him come down here and talk to me.  “I think I might be able to consider that.  We should have a meeting though, properly.  Maybe next Wednesday afternoon? That’s the most convenient time for me.”

I think Trace’s jaw is going to hit the table in a moment.

Trump laughs.  He’s getting a kick out of me.  “You’re not swindled easily, Mr. Timberlake.  I like that.  I’ll have my secretary clear my schedule for next Wednesday.  Tell me, do you like golf?”

I smile for him.  “Sure, I’m not so bad.”

He nods, and stands up.  Trace does the same, and I quickly follow.  

“I’ll see you then, son.  My assistant will call you with the location of the game and the tee time.”

We shake hands, and he leaves my Gala with two other men who look to be his private security personnel.  I start laughing hysterically when he finally disappears from my view, and I have to sit down as I start to laugh even harder.  I just ordered around probably the most powerful man in New York City, and he bowed down to me without a question.

Well, at least he used to be the most powerful.

“Dude, you’re fucking ridiculous.”  Trace plops down into the chair across from me and I can tell that he’s trembling. “That could have went south, so fast...”

“But it didn’t.”  I point at him, and smile.  “So just shut up.  We’re going to be swimming in more money than we ever thought possible by the time this deal is done.”

“I need a drink.”  He huffs and pushes himself to his feet.  

I watch him walk away, and sit at the table in silence for a moment.  Sure it’s an awesome opportunity, and it’ll be fun, and challenging and include everything I love about the business world.  At the same time though, I know it’s going to be just as I thought...more work than I can imagine.  I’ll never be home, and I’m sure since Trump is involved I’ll be going on business trip after business trip.

There won’t be time for the boys, or to connect with Abbey.

But I’m not giving this up.  I’ve worked seven years for this kind of opportunity.  It’s the most important thing.  It is.

Like I said, I can’t afford to be distracted...by anybody.  Thank God for Trace.  For a moment there, I thought I’d lost my senses or something.  Comforting the girl? I’m not her confidant.  I can’t be.  I’m Justin Timberlake, CEO.  Busiest man in New York City.  I can’t stop.  I can’t let myself have feelings for her.  That’s how life gets complicated.

I can’t afford it.

I’m better off alone.
Ten by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Thank you guys all so much for this awesome support for the story.  I really appreciate it.  I actually cried as I wrote the end of this chapter.  I hope you enjoy it.

 “I thought we were gonna be closer,” Austin moans.  “I wanted a foul ball.”

I roll my eyes and drink some more of my beer.  “I bought you a baseball before we sat down.”

“It’s not the same!  You said to bring my glove in case I caught one!  You knew I wouldn’t!”

“Shut up, Austin,” I grunt.  “There’s a lot of kids that can’t even afford to come to a game, so start being a little bit more fucking grateful.”

He slams his body against the back of his chair roughly and crosses his arms sternly over his chest as he begins to pout.

I feel Abbey’s eyes digging into me like daggers.  I probably shouldn’t have used vulgarity with him.

But I just don’t care.  I’m trying to enjoy my day.

I made it a point not to talk to her during the limo ride back from the Gala, and when we got back home, I went right to bed.  I thought she called out my name, but I ignored it.  I had to focus, couldn’t dwell on her tears or how emotional we both became for that short span of time.  I had been trapped in a bubble then, captivated by her.  I’m smart enough that I won’t allow it to happen again.

I can tell that she feels betrayed though.  Betrayed because she poured her soul out to me, and I acted like I cared.  I mean, I did care I guess, but...then Trace gave me a wake up call, and I realized what my priorities were, that’s all.  She should be able to understand.  She knows how I am, how things are.  I don’t get why she’s so pissed.

She needs to cut the crap already, get used to the fact that we have a professional relationship that should never have started to cross over to something more.  It was a mistake.  She should know that.  She’s an adult for Christ’s sake.

Davey shoves his hand into my Yankees hard hat filled with popcorn and I hold it steady for him as he grabs a handful out. I ruffle his hair and smirk a little bit as he drops most of it down the front of his shirt.  He’s the easy one.  The one who can appreciate the little shit I do, like taking him to a baseball game.  

Trace and Sydney are here too, with Kristy.  Usually, I can’t stand other people’s kids but I don’t mind Kristy so much.  She’s pretty quiet, but I think that’s because Trace gives her whatever she asks for, like she’s his little princess or something.  I don’t get how he does it.  How the hell he can balance this little family life he has when things are so damn jam packed at work.  But he does though.  He’s been with Syd for years, since her daughter was barely a year old...before I even lived in New York City. I don’t get why I can’t do that too.  I’m just...too focused on work maybe?

Hell, I don’t know.

“What’s on your agenda for tomorrow?” I focus on Abbey.  She’s been reading a book the entire time we’ve been here, oblivious to what’s been going on.  I haven’t said anything.  I expect her to be bored...

Pissed at me.

“Austin is getting fitted for his soccer uniform.  I figured I’d take advantage of his mini vacation from school to get it done,” she says, not looking up from her book as she flips a page.  

“Good.  I have some stuff for you to take care of too.”

“Surprise, surprise,” she huffs.

I hear Trace snickering and it’s apparent to me that he’s been listening in.  “What’s your problem?” I grunt at her under my breath.

She finally looks at me.  “You’re an idiot.  That’s my problem.”

“Well shit, J,” Trace cracks up.  “She sure knows how to put you in your place, I guess.”

Both Sydney and Trace are laughing at what an idiot she’s made me out to be.  I feel foolish.

I really hate feeling foolish in front of my friends.

“We need to talk,” I spit at her.

“I don’t feel like talking to you,” she tells me.  “It’s my day off, I shouldn’t have to do anything that I don’t want to do.”

“Now.” I’ve gotten to my feet, giving her my most intimidating look, and I think she’s taking me a little more seriously now.  I walk out of our private box and out into the hallway, making sure she’s behind me.  

“What, Justin,” she grunts, her arms crossed as she glares at me.

“I know you’re pissed but you really need to save the attitude for when we’re alone,” I grunt at her.  “I don’t need you making a fool out of me in front of my friends, and the kids.”

“You deserve it!” she exclaims.  “Oh, please Abbey...dance with me, you’re so beautiful.”  She rolls her eyes and gives me a disgusted look.  “You’re so full of shit, Justin!”

I chuckle a little as I rock back on my heels.  “Don’t be mad because you spilled your guts to me. I know that’s the issue.  What do you expect me to do? Be your best friend?  I don’t have time for it.  I mean, I’m glad you felt you could talk to me but they have therapists for that sort of thing, you know?”

“You would say that,” she sneers.  “You know, you shouldn’t pretend that you don’t have feelings for me now, just because Trace caught onto it and didn’t approve.  It’s fucked up, and makes you out to be even more arrogant. We had a connection.”

“You wish we had...had a connection,” I glare, hating that my voice broke a little bit.  “I felt bad for you, I know you didn’t have anybody else you could talk to about that guy...”

“Braeden,” she snaps.

“Whatever.”  I blow it off with wave of my hand.  “Cut the fucking attitude, okay?”

“So I quit then,” she calls back to me as I start walking away from her.

It makes me stop, turn back to her.  “You’re not quitting,” I scoff.

“Watch me.”  She holds her head high and starts to walk away from me.

“Whoa...”  I hate myself for running after her.  I do.  I shouldn’t have to.  Shouldn’t care if I lose her.  My brother’s feelings aside, there’s more important things to worry about, and plenty of other people out there that would take her job.  “I thought...I thought you cared about the boys!”

She skids to a stop and whirls back around.  “I thought you were starting to care about me,” she states.

I shove my hands in my pockets.  “You work for me.  Of course I care...”

“You’re just afraid to admit that you liked dancing with me last night!” She yells.  “You can’t...you can’t just play with people’s emotions like that, Justin!  You’re not that fucking privileged!”

“So what if I liked it!”  I holler back like a crazed maniac.  “I mean fuck, you certainly tried hard enough to make me didn’t you?  Got all...fucking...nice looking in the dress and everything! It’s not my fault!”

Oh, fuck.

She’s silent, smirking slightly as she taps her foot against the ground.  “See? That wasn’t so hard, was it?”

She’s walking away from me again.

“Wait...wait a fucking minute!”  I have to jog to catch up with her, and I can see various people staring at me now, probably wondering why I’m acting so foolish since we’re up on the VIP level.  The headlines will read “Timberlake, Guru of Wall Street, Chases Woman Across Yankee Stadium.’  “Abbey...”  My hand connects with her shoulder, but she whirls around quickly and shrugs it off.

“I have never, ever told anybody else about Braeden.  The only other people who know about him are my family and the people I grew up with,” she snaps at me.  “And I thought...I thought you’d changed.  I thought that we made a connection, that I could talk to you.  Why are you so damn scared of that? Of letting me in, Justin?  I may not have billions of dollars, but we’re the same kind of people, even if you don’t think so.”

I ball my fists at my sides.  Fuck, I can’t believe this.  I can’t believe she’s analyzing this right now.  It doesn’t make sense.  I haven’t known her all that long, and...she works for me.  Last night was sporadic.  I let my good mood take over, impair my judgement.  I didn’t know any better.  I focused on Abbey, for whatever reason.  I let the goodness I saw in her sink into me.  I let her in.  I’ve never let anybody that close to me, not even Trace, and I’m still so fucking confused as to why I allowed it to happen.  “I have too much going on.”

“That’s a shit excuse, and you know it.  You’re scared of letting somebody get close to you.  I would know, I’m the same way, but at least I can admit that, while you stand here and act like you’re so damn bulletproof.  We both know that isn’t true.”

“I’m not scared!” I yell.

She laughs at me.

“Fine,” I slap my hands down at my sides.  “Fine! I’ll take you to dinner tomorrow night.  Will that prove that I’m not fucking scared?”

“So what does that even mean?  Are you asking me out?”  

I hate her.  I hate that she can just...manipulate me.  Why? Why can she, when nobody else can?  Not even Danielle could do that, and she was a little bit more than just some bitch I was fucking.  “I dont know.  It’s dinner.  It’s whatever you want it to be.”

“Okay.”  She smirks and starts walking back to our VIP Box.

I turn, hold my hands out at my sides.  “What...what the hell?  That’s it?”

She’s laughing again.

This was her plan all along, I’m sure.

Now I’m going to be stuck on the “date” from hell.
***************
Justin has big, firm hands. Protective hands that can make a woman feel comforted.  He smells of aftershave and some kind of clean scented cologne that I was able to breath in when I rested my head against his chest.  When he smiles, the blue color of his eyes seems to grow brighter.  It was nice, him holding me, us dancing.  His body was warm, and I could feel his heart thudding heavily inside his chest.  It meant he was nervous, but I could tell...he didn’t want to let go of me.

I felt so comfortable in his arms, that I allowed myself to tell him something I never thought I would.

And I still don’t know why I did.

I never counted on that, telling him, breaking down, and when I ran out of the ball room, I never expected him to follow me.  I knew he wouldn’t have much to say when he caught up with me of course.  Justin isn’t an emotional person, and I’m sure that has something to do with how he was brought up.  I wouldn’t ask questions about that.  I think talking to him about his parents death was hard enough on him.  It was nice though, to see him smile at me as I cried...tell me that it was okay, that...that I didn’t have to stop loving Braeden even if the rest of the world thought that I should.

When we hugged, that was when I knew how strong our connection was too.

Then...Trace blew the whole thing.  Mr. Trump had decided to grace them with his presence, and even though Justin was going to stay with me at first, I knew how much the meeting meant to him, and I wasn’t about to hold him back.

Now, I wonder what would have happened if Justin blew it off to stay with me.  Would we have left the party? Talked? Connected even more?

I guess I’ll never know, because Trace made sure Justin didn’t make it that far.

I thought I liked Trace at first.  He seemed nice enough, starting from that day on the elevator on out.  Whenever he dropped by the house he always made it a point to say hello to me, like he was no better than I was.  I always thought he was even more down to earth than Justin too.  When he told me I looked amazing in my dress, I even started to hold him to a higher regard.  Then I overheard him after I walked away from Justin.  He called me ‘the help,’ like I was nothing but a piece of shit being paid to babysit his brothers.

I’ll never look at the guy the same way again.  I’ve come to realize just how important social status is to people like him, and it disgusts me.  I feel like...like Justin is trapped inside of some high class bubble, that’s been fogged over just enough where he can’t see the good in the rest of the world.  I know he’s not as stuck up as he tries to act.  The very basis of his benefit told me he’d grown up just like any other kid, that he knew people in the world had problems...

Because he’d lived through some of his own.

I doubt Trace has lived through many problems.  He strikes me as the type of person who went to a fancy college, graduated, and then got a really good job.  He never struggled, he’s always had it easy, and that’s probably why he acts so casual about everything.  Justin is running shit, controlling everything, and all he has to do is sit back and watch his money pour in.  It’s a hard subject to deal with.  I can’t talk to Justin about it, because Trace is his best friend in the world, and I know if I said anything negative, it would probably just blow up in my face.

While the guys went to have their Trump pow wow, I got stuck sitting at the table with Sydney.  It was quiet for awhile.  I stared down at my shoes, and started to think about how much my feet hurt, but how much it was worth it because Justin and I had connected.  Then she decided to speak.

“I’m sorry Justin brought you.  I know you don’t really know how to act.  It’s not your fault.”

I looked at her strangely.  She was twirling the end of her long brown hair around her finger, not bothering to meet my gaze.  “What?”

“Well I saw you.  You like...broke down.  Did Justin make you upset?”

My mouth hung open for a moment, before I could find my voice again.  “I was just...we were just talking.”

“You didn’t like...ask him out or anything right?” she giggled.  “I mean, he’s a little out of your league.”

She disgusted me then, and now...feeling the way I feel about Trace, I know that they’re perfect for each other.  They’re both stuck up idiots who look down on other people.

“Don’t worry.” I flashed her a sarcastic grin.  “I was talking about work with him.  That’s all.”

“Ah.”  She patted my shoulder.  “Good to know.”
 
She didn’t talk to me for the rest of the night.  I was fine with that.

When Justin ignored me though, something hit me hard, right in the chest.  Right where it hurt the most.  It was like nothing had happened between us.  He wasn’t paying attention to me anymore, he was avoiding me like the plague, and I knew it was partially because Trace had said something to him about me.  But the other part of him, that part that wasn’t influenced by his friend, I knew, was terrified that he’d actually started to crack.

That someone had finally begun to understand him, to get close to him.

I threw it all in his face at the Yankees game.  He hated it, but it got him to admit the fact that he actually liked dancing with me...being close to me.  He was so set on getting me to believe that he wasn’t scared of letting me in, that he asked me to dinner...well, sort of.

And so here we are.

“Did Austin get his uniform?” He asks me, as he studies the menu.

Everything is in French.  Everything.  Hell, the staff even speaks French.  I think he did this just to annoy the shit out of me. It’s fucking working.  

“Uh huh.”

He looks up at me, a playful twinkle in his steely blue eyes.  “What’s the matter Abbeee?”

He’s smirking.  He has his little plan.  The plan that reassures him he’s going to push me away by annoying the fuck out of me.  Well, I’m about to beat him at his own game.  “Nothing, I’m just trying to make up my mind.”

“I know you can’t read this shit.”

I roll my eyes.  “Right, and I’m sure you decided to take me here, just to prove some kind of point,” I scoff.

He shrugs, looks down at his menu, and tries to hold in his laughter.

“What is the point anyway?” I speak up.  “That I can’t speak French? That I’m not as good as you and your stupid ass friends?”

He scowls.  “It was a joke, coming here.  I was going to explain the menu to you anyway.  What crawled up your ass?”

“Nothing,” I huff.  “Just...never mind.”

“Bon soir.”

The waiter is here, smiling pleasantly down at us.  I look up at Justin and he’s looking at the waiter seriously.

“Quel est votre meilleur vin?”

I have no idea what he just said, but fuck...fuck I hate that he’s all intellectual.  The fact that his french dialect is mixed with a slight southern accent also makes him even more adorable and I don’t want to think that way about him.

“Ah, Monsieur,” the waiter smiles. “Je recommande la Romanée-Conti . C'est une Bourgogne du sud de la France. Très exquis.”

I stare at the waiter like he has three heads.  Justin is chuckling under his breath.  I hate him...

But I like him even more.

“Excellent,” Justin smirks at the waiter. “Nous allons prendre une bouteille, avec votre meilleur plateau de fromages de commencer.”

“Droit de suite, monsieur.”  The waiter does a little bow, and leaves us.

I stare at Justin, who is smiling at me like he’s accomplished a great task.

“What the hell did you tell him?” I ask, slightly flabbergasted.

“I ordered some wine and cheese,” he says, nonchalantly.

“How many languages do you speak?”  I shake my head a little as I gaze down at the menu again, determined to figure out my selection on my own.

“Six...well seven if you count Latin.  But nobody counts Latin anymore.”

“Jesus,” I sigh.  “I can barely figure out what Lucinda is saying half the time.”

“I have Rosetta Stone at the house.  You can start using it,” he tells me.  “It’s really easy.”

“No I think I’ll stick to English.” I roll my eyes.  “We do live in America, in case you’ve forgotten, oh wise one.”

He chuckles and rolls his eyes.  “I have to know the basic five languages.  Half of our clients are in Europe and Asia.  I’d be lost if I didn’t know what they were saying.  That’s how they get you...you know? Screw you over when you can’t fully understand what they’re saying.”

“Does Trace speak them?” I ask.

“No,” he laughs.  “He’s still trying to get past Spanish.”

“No surprise there.”

“Hey, he’s all right,” Justin nods.  “I can speak enough for the both of us.”

“Yeah.  Lucky for him.”  I roll my eyes.

He cocks his head to the side.  “What’s your issue with Trace?”

“Oh...he just thinks he’s above it all, that’s all.  It’s kind of like how you try to act, but deep down, you’re not really as stuck up as you try to make people think you are.”

He stares at me for a moment.  “Where’s this coming from?”

“I’m not deaf.  I heard what he said at the gala.”

He sighs and rubs his face with his hands.  “So that’s what this is all about?”

I shrug.  “It’s about a lot of things.”

“Look, Trace was in the moment,” he defends.  “It was a big night.”

“It doesn’t give him the right to talk me down like a piece of trash.”

He won’t meet my gaze.  “I didn’t agree with him, okay? You’re more than...just the help.”

“Did you tell him that?”

He’s quiet.  “Does it matter?” He whispers.

I let out a disgusted laugh.  “Typical.”

“Hey, I’m fuckin’ sorry all right?” He says, in a harsh whisper so other people won’t overhear.  “I’m here aren’t I?  With you?  I don’t care what he thinks.”

I just shrug.  “You’re only here to prove some kind of point to me.  Hell, maybe I was wrong for pushing you into this.”

“I wouldn’t be here unless I wanted to be,” he confesses.  “I guess...okay so I was scared.  I might have been scared, I mean.  Now I just...I’m glad you pushed me.  I want to be here, with you.”

I look up at him, shocked.  I don’t get it.  He went from ignoring me, to fighting with me, to..smiling, speaking French, and being completely content in my presence.  “What?”

“That...that night, when we danced, it just...it did something to me,” he says gently.  “I don’t know.  I just...I never really felt that way about anybody before.”

“What way?” I rasp.  Fuck, this is sudden.  Really sudden.  Why is he saying this stuff? I pushed him into this, sure, but only because I knew he was afraid.  Now he’s just talking..so weird.  Like, he has feelings for me.  Real ones.  I’m not ready.

I’m not ready at all.

“I dont know.”  His cheeks turn red and he returns his gaze to the menu.  “I’m terrible at this shit.  I just want to enjoy dinner with you, okay?”

“I..um...” I suck in a breath.  “Yeah.”

The waiter brings us the wine and cheese, Justin rambles something off to him in French, and then he points to me.  “I’ll tell him what you want.”

“I’ll tell him,” I grunt.

Justin holds his hands up, defensively.  “Okay,” he chuckles.  “Be my guest.”

I study the menu hard for a few moments.  Eeny, meenie, miny, mo...  “Um, cervelle de veau,” I pronounce slowly to the waiter.

“No, no,” Justin laughs and waves his hands.  “No, don’t get that.”

“Why not,” I sneer.

“Believe me,” he laughs again, before looking back at the waiter.  “Elle aura le chateaubriand. J'aurai le ragoût de lapin,” he says with a nod.

“Magnifique,” the waiter smiles, collects our menus and goes on his way again.

“Thank you,” I say to him sarcastically.  “It’s nice to have somebody around to make my decisions for me.”

“Hey, I was trying to help you,” he says, still laughing.  “You were about to order calf’s brains.”

“What?” I cough a little and have to take a long sip of wine, the very thought of that sort of food making me feel queasy automatically.  

“I told you,” he smiles.  “You better get on that Rosetta Stone.”

I glare at him as I put my glass down.  “Screw you.”

We pick at at cheese plate, and Justin tells me a little bit about each piece, and what region of France they are from.  He knows a lot about France, but I’m sure he’s been there many times.  It’s actually interesting though, to learn about the different types of food I’m putting into my mouth.  I wish I could be as cultured as he is.  I think it would actually be kind of fun...traveling places, learning about everything.

But I’m not a billionaire.

Our dinners arrive, and our wine glasses are refilled.  Justin smiles at me slightly as he digs into what he tells me is some kind of rabbit stew.  My dish is some kind of beef tenderloin mixed with a white wine sauce.  It’s fucking delicious.  I hate that he got this exactly right.

He always gets everything right...

Well, except when it comes to his family.

A pastry cart comes around for dessert.  We both have cream puffs, laughing when we both go for the exact same one.  He lets me have my pick first, and then he gets his.  We eat the remainder of our dinner in peaceful silence, and when the check comes, Justin puts his credit card in and hands it back to the waiter before leaning forward and smiling at me.  “What next?”

I chuckle.  “I thought we were just having dinner.”

He shrugs.  “Thought it was a date.”

I look down at my lap.  This is...getting to be too much.  Oh god.  I can’t.  “I um...”

“Hang on,” he holds up his finger.  “I think it’s this week...”  He pulls his Blackberry out of his pocket and quickly types something into it.  “Yeah...I thought so.”  He smirks as he puts it back in his pocket.  “There’s a cool street festival going on in Little Italy.  You wanna check it out? I’ve missed it the last two times around.  They usually have some cool art.”

It’s just a street festival.  I mean, we can go there as friends.  I shouldn’t turn him down.  He’s trying.  He’s making an effort and that’s really heathy for him, the boys, and me.  “Yeah, okay,” I say weakly.

He smiles.  “Great.”

We leave the restaurant and Justin hails a taxi.  Within twenty minutes we are down in the heart of Little Italy.  It’s been a while since I’ve been here.  Charlene likes it.  We’ve been down here for brunch a few times, when she could get me out of the apartment anyway.  It’s a much different atmosphere down here tonight though.  The streets are crowded, bands, vendors and street performers are scattered everywhere.  Shop doors are propped open, their interiors welcoming.  

“Cool huh?”r32;


He smiles at me, like he’s having the best time, and I can’t help but return the same type of smile.

I guess...I mean I guess I’m starting to have a lot of fun too.

I don’t even notice that he’s taken my hand until we’re deep into the heart of the festival.  By then, it’s too late for me to pull away, and...and I’m not sure if it’s the best thing, but...I don’t want to pull away from him.  We stand and watch some Italian clowns put on a show in the middle of the street.  At one point, one of them pulls a quarter out of Justin’s ear.  He’s completely unprepared and it gets me to laugh so hard that tears start to pour out of my eyes.

“Yeah, yeah,” he blushes.


“You should have seen the look on your face.  It was cute,” I nudge him, as the little performance ends.

“I was going to be a clown,” he chuckles.  “Just didn’t work out so well for me.  The stock market got to me first.”

“You’d make a good clown,” I say with a silly smirk.  “You already have the curly hair..you’re tall, you have big feet, you know...if you worked on your sense of humor a little more, you’d be set.”

“Nice.  You know, I think I happen to be a very funny guy.”

“Hmph.”  I roll my eyes.  “I think Austin’s jokes are probably funnier than you, and they’re pretty bad.”

“That hurts.”  He holds his chest with his free hand.  “Really, Abbey.”

“Shut up,” I chuckle.

He smiles at me, squeezes my hand tighter as we start to wander through the street vendors.  Justin is really into art, I already knew that.  He points out the different things on display to me, telling me where they come from and what type of significance they hold in Italian culture.  Again, it’s interesting to learn about it all.  It’s like he’s teaching me something.  It’s a side of Justin that is never revealed to anybody else, and he’s sharing it with me.

I feel myself slipping.  Melting away into him.  I find myself hoping that the night will slow down, because I don’t want it to end.  I don’t want tomorrow to come, to face the prospect that Justin probably won’t be like this with me after tonight.

Justin buys a couple of small things for himself, and a few little Italian toys for the boys.  One in particular is especially for Austin, and I’m glad that Justin thought of him tonight.  

“He’s always asking me for skeletons,” he smirks as he holds the little figure in his hands.  “Hopefully he’ll like it.”

“I think he will,”  I say gently.

We’ve reached the end of the marketplace.  It comes out onto a pier.  The moon is shining down on the water, making it glisten magically.  “It’s nice tonight,” I whisper.

“Yeah, it did turn out nice,” he agrees.  

We take a seat on a bench overlooking the water.  He doesn’t say anything for awhile as we gaze out, and neither do it.  It’s peaceful, doing this, just like it was peaceful being with him that morning in the park.  I realize...it’s the two of us that makes our moments peaceful.  We don’t need to say much sometimes.  We can just...be, and have a nice time.

It was the same way with Braeden.

But...Justin isn’t Braeden.  Justin is...Justin and for the first time I can look at him and say that...that I might just like him a whole hell of a lot.  The guilt isn’t with me so much now.  It’s like something is telling me it’s okay, that I can let go, that I’ll be fine and Braeden will be at peace no matter what I do.

“Did you have fun?” He asks me after a while.

“Yeah,” I nod with a small smile.  “You know a lot of useless shit, but it was interesting.  I’d never bother to look into France or Italian art on my own.”

He shrugs and laughs.  “Yeah I just...before the boys came I was on my own mostly when I wasn’t at work.  Sometimes my friends would come to the house, but on the weekend I would go to museums and art festivals.  It took my mind off of things that I couldn’t talk to anybody else about.”

I know he means his parents, not talking to them, leaving them behind to come out here. I can’t imagine that pain he deals with...not having been able to say goodbye to them before they passed away. “Do you miss them?” I whisper.

He sucks in his bottom lip and continues to stare out at the ocean.  “You have no idea how much.”

I feel my eyes fill with tears, and I quickly sniff them back.  “I think I might have an idea.”

He looks at me finally.  I see the tears on his face.  It’s a first, but I won’t point it out to him.  “Justin...”

He reaches out and touches my face.  “S-sorry,” he says, sniffling.  “I’m...I shouldn’t be doing this.”

I just shake my head.  “You can.  You should.”

Then he’s leaning in, and I’m closing my eyes.  I feel his lips crash into mine seconds later.  It’s a kiss that’s so deep, so strong, like he’s doing it with every emotion in his whole body.  I don’t stop him.  I let him break the kiss, and then I open my eyes, covering my mouth with my hand.

“Abbey I...I’m sorry.”

His eyes are wide now, like he doesn’t know what the hell just happened.  Fuck I don’t know either.  “Why’d you do that?” I whisper.

He licks his lips.  “Because I...because I care about you,” he confesses.

I can’t say anything.  If I do, I’ll probably break down.  I feel the tears on my face, and don’t bother wiping them away, before I pull him close to me, and kiss him back, slowly, gently.

We don’t stop.

Eleven by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
As if you guys aren't spoiled enough...here is the next chapter :)
It was an amazing evening, even though she was annoyed about the whole non english speaking wait staff at Le Covine, I still made it worth while for her.  She seemed to ease up once she realized I didn’t think she was stupid, that I was only trying to introduce her to new places and new things.  It’s how a girl like her needs to be treated.  She’s special.  She should be able to experience fine food, fine culture, art, museums...everything.  She should be pampered and spoiled, not because she expects it either.  I know she doesn’t.  It’s all me...

All of a sudden I just want to give her everything, and every part of me.

I think that’s how we ended up this way...

Pure silk.  That’s what her skin feels like against my lips.  They travel up from the start of her pelvis, up her stomach, until they finally land on each breast.  I kiss them slowly, suck them hard, bite them a little.  She tastes amazing, smells amazing, and the way she’s moaning is telling me that she’s ready...she’s ready for me to do this.

But I don’t know if should be doing this.  This isn’t just sex, as much as I’ve been trying to tell myself that it is.

There’s emotion behind this.

And that’s a scary thing.

I feel her legs snake themselves around my waist and she’s pulling me down to her, pleading with me to give it to her.  

“Justin.”

I kiss her hard.  So hard.  “Are you sure?” I whisper, as I look right into her eyes.  I see the fear there.  She’s questioning herself about what’s going to happen once the sun rises, once the new day begins.

So am I.

She puts her hands on either side of my face, smoothing the tips of her fingers over my lips, her expression dazed.  She’s no longer thinking about the consequences.  Her emotions aren’t allowing her to.  “I want you,” she whispers.

I don’t think.  I just take her, all for my own, and we do it again, and again, and again.

The alarm buzzes in my ear far too soon.  Shit. Tuesday morning.  I groan, roll over.  When my eyes open all the way she’s the first thing I see, naked, sheet only half covering her body.  Her mouth is open a crack.  She’s fast asleep.

“Hey,” I whisper as I stroke her face, gently.  I love the way she looks while she’s sleeping.  I think I could just call out of work and stare at her until she wakes up.

But then I remember that I need to be at work.  That it’s absolutely fucking necessary that I be at work.  That can’t change.  I promised myself when I took her out to dinner that it wouldn’t change no matter what.  I can handle it though.  I mean, if I can learn seven languages and run a billion dollar corporation, surely I can handle a little romance, right?

Right?

Yes, Justin.  Yes you can, even if she’s not like the rest.

Her eyes flutter open.  “Hey,” she rasps.

A soft smile appears on her face.  She’s not sorry about last night.  She’s happy that she’s here, with me, in my bed.  

I’ve never been more thankful for anything in my life.  It’s strange.  I feel like some part of me, deep inside, has just been filled in.  It was hollow, empty before.  I don’t know how to explain this, why it’s happening so fast.  I mean me...someone who has refused to break down emotionally or give himself to somebody else, all for the sake of his career.  What is it about Abbey? Why can she just...break down my walls, see me for who I am?

I’m terrified.

“I gotta get ready for work.”  I lean in and kiss her forehead.  

“Shit, Austin.”  Her eyes widen and she practically leaps out of bed, and begins to gather her clothing.  “Shit.”

“Calm down.”  I slide out of bed, and don’t bother pulling on my clothes as I go up behind her, hugging her gently around the waist. “He’s suspended, remember?”  I laugh lightly, and give her neck a light kiss.

I close my eyes and breathe her in as long as she allows me to.  I want to keep her this way, in my arms...

I just...I have this crazy fear all of a sudden that she’ll slip away.  That’s silly too.  I mean, she’s right here.  With me.  

“Oh...yeah.” She laughs nervously, and finally pulls away from me.  “I...I forgot.”

She tries to busy herself by pulling on her clothes.  She’s barely finished getting her underwear on, before I approach her again.  “You okay?”  I cup her face in my hand and smile a little.  “I mean...about last night and everything?”

She begins to nibble on the corner of her lip.  “I...I think.”  She shakes her head a little.  “My head isn’t all together right now.”

I nod a little.  “Well, maybe we can talk later...tonight?”

“Sure.”

She isn’t smiling.  She’s fucking confused.  So am I, but I can hide it much better than she can.  “Abbey...”

“Look I...” she starts out before having to take a deep breath.  “It’s a lot...what we did.  I didn’t even think last night.  I just...I just went with the moment, Justin.  I have no idea if it was a smart move.  We have the boys to think about.”

I roll my eyes a little.  “Look at us.  Everything is fine.  We’re comfortable around each other.  It’s not like I just picked you up at some club.”

“Justin...we’re not even a couple,” she points out.  “I’m your nanny.  Your very emotionally distraught...nanny.””  

She begins to pull on the rest of her clothing and all I can do is stand here, still naked, trying to make sense of it all.  My mind immediately flashes back to a couple of days ago, when she was just my nanny and I was ordering her around like one of my many minions.  I mean, she has a point.  She has a point and I want to avoid that, but I won’t.  I need to be mature about this.  The last thing I want to do, is hurt her.

“What can I do?” I whisper.

She laughs a little bit.  “Go to work?” she shrugs.  “Go about your day like you normally would, and I’ll do the same.”

“What about tonight?”

She smoothes her hair back and gives me a tight smile.  “I guess we’ll figure that out when the time comes.”  She gives my shoulder a gentle pat as she attempts to walk about of my bedroom, but I can’t...I can’t go to work without knowing...just knowing...

Knowing if she really cares, or if she was just caught up in the moment.

“Justin,” she huffs when I gently grab her arm and pull her right back to me.  “What...”

I kiss her.  I kiss her even though its the morning, I haven’t brushed my teeth, and am positive my breath is nasty.  Then I pull back, and I see her smile.

“You’re insane,” she whispers it as wraps her arms around my neck and holds me close.  “But I think...I like it.”  She inches up on the tips of her toes so she can kiss me gently on the lips one more time.  Then she pulls away, giving me a little smile as she saunters over to my bedroom door.

“I’ll see you tonight,” I tell her.  “I’ll...I’ll try to be home in time for dinner.”

“That’ll be the shock of a lifetime,” she flashes me a sarcastic smile.  “I won’t hold my breath.”

“Hey, whatever,” I smirk.  

“I’ll see you out there.”

Then she’s out the door.  I hear Austin calling out her name a few moments later, and I know her day has started.  Mine needs to start too.  I have a meeting with some shareholders this morning and I need to be at my best.  It’s a quick transition into my work mindset.  I shower, shave, dress...the norm.  Then I’m in the kitchen, grabbing my usual protein shake from the refrigerator, as the boys eat breakfast with Abbey at the island.

“I thought you were going to come read to me last night,” Austin says.  “You never came in, Abbey.”

“Oh...”  Abbey’s eyes widen a little, and she takes the opportunity to guzzle her coffee while stealing the smallest glance in my direction.

 “I treated her to dinner,” I explain, quickly.

She looks relieved.

“You never do that kind of stuff,” he huffs.

I really hate that the kid is so smart.  “Well...she deserved it.  That’s how you reward the people in your life, when they do good things.”

“Oh.”

He looks down at his breakfast again.  I have no idea what he’s thinking about, but I won’t ask.  No, I’ll save myself an awkward confrontation with my brother if I can.  I finish my shake, and grab my briefcase off the back counter where Lucinda always leaves it for me.  “Y’all be good for Abbey, okay?”

They all look at me like I’ve lost it.  I mean, I guess I should expect that.  I never say goodbye.

Note to self, start being less of a jerk.

I give Davey’s hair a quick ruffle before I finally leave them.  Quincy is waiting in his usual spot by the front of my building when I get outside, and I smirk at him slightly as he holds the car door open for me.

“Morning, sah.”

“Hey, Quince.”

I get in, the door closes. I immediately put my blue tooth in my ear, and pull out my blackberry.  It’s the start of a new work day.  Business as usual.  

I put Abbey...sex with Abbey, far from my mind, because I have no other choice.

I have a phone conference with my accounting department, and my president of marketing, all before I get to the office.  The traffic is pretty horrendous in the morning, so I always have to do this. It’s better though.  I’d rather not clog so much of my office time up with phone conferences.  The office is already brimming full force by the time I step through the doors, but that’s the way I like it.  I want my people to arrive by seven.  I arrive by eight thirty, sometimes nine, and even though Trace hates it, I make him get here at six forty five to oversee attendance.

“Mornin’ Cheryl.”  I smirk slightly when I reach my inner office.  “Any messages?”

“Here you go,” she smiles pleasantly as she hands me a small pile of them.  “I heard the benefit was a success.  Congratulations, sir.”

“It was, thanks,” I nod as I begin to shuffle through the messages.

Then...my mind immediately refocuses itself back on Abbey.  Holding her, dancing with her.  Jesus, I can’t do this.  I can’t be thinking about her right now.  “Um...the speech,” I say quickly.  “You did a great job.”  I place my hand on the doorknob to my private office as I give her a professional smile.  “I’ll put a bonus in for you, okay?”

“Sir?” she chuckles and cocks her head to the side.  “I’ve written you dozens of speeches.”

“Well yeah...”

I realize that I’m not myself, even though I’ve been trying as hard as I can, not to stray from my usual behavior.  Cheryl can see right through it.  I mean, I’ve never appreciated her this much before, never given her a bonus for anything.

Again, because I’m a jerk.

“I mean you...you work hard for me,” I tell her.  “You deserve something extra.”

“I won’t complain, sir,” she gives me a sly smile, as if she knows there’s more to my mood.  “I appreciate it.”

I don’t say anything.  I just push my way into my office and close the door, immediately leaning my back against it and breathing out a heavy sigh.

Shit, what a morning.

“Since when do you forward your calls on a weeknight?”

I open my eyes.  Trace is sitting at my desk, his feet propped up on the top of it.  I frown.  “Could you not,” I mutter, staring at his feet.

He shrugs.  “I was trying to get a hold of you all last night,” he tells me as he takes his feet down from the desk.

Shit.  I mean, I thought twice about having my calls forwarded.  I knew people would be trying to contact me.  After all, it was Monday, the busiest day of the week, and we never cover everything we need to in a ten hour span.  I usually find myself on the phone with Trace for several hours afterward, unless we go out for drinks.

But last night, my mind just wasn’t focused on work.  It was focused on her and I didn’t want any interruptions.

It was the first time, ever, that I put business second.

“I was out, that’s all,” I tell him, as I take a seat in the chair in front of my desk.  “Was it important? You should have left a voicemail.”

He chuckles in annoyance.  “A voicemail huh? I’m your fucking business partner, Justin.  If I need to talk to you, it should take priority.  What were you even doing? I mean, did Danielle come back or something? If you say yes, I’ll understand.”

I should lie.  I should.  If it were anybody else, I know I would too.  But this is Trace, and even though we’re at work, and I hate to get too personal during business hours, he’s the best friend I have.  “I wasn’t with Danielle,” I tell him, not quite meeting his gaze.

He gets up from the chair, and circles around me for a moment, a shocked, queer smirk on his face.  “You were with the nanny,” he says, pointing his finger at me.  “Fuck, you were, weren’t you?”

I sigh and rub my face with my hands.  “It was just dinner.”

“Yeah, bullshit.”

He knows me too well.  

“You saw her in that dress and it got your dick in a fuckin’ knot,” he snickers.  “You know what though? I won’t blame you.  Hell, I’m not even annoyed with you anymore.  I get it.  You needed some, and I’m sure she was plenty willing,” he smiles.

I sigh because that’s not how Abbey is.  She’s not...easy, or some kind of slut who wanted to bang me because of my wealth and power.  I know that.  “It’s not like that with her,” I find myself telling him.

He laughs so loud.

“Trace...”

“Are you hearing yourself?” He says, still laughing at me.  “It’s not like that with her,” he mimics.  “What J, are you falling in love?”  He rolls his eyes.  “Give me a break.”

I shrug.  ‘I don’t know...I just...”

“Look you need to refocus,” he says to me, his laughter fading away.  “We have big shit coming up, and it’s bad enough having to handle your brothers.  You can’t afford to fall into some weird ass romantic thing with this Abbey girl.  She’s not going to get it.  You’re going to get busy, she’s going to get needier, and something shitty is going to happen. You know that as well as I do.”

He’s jumping the gun, and fuck, I wish he didn’t figure it out.  I wish he didn’t know me so damn well.  “I can handle it.” I say, pushing myself out of my chair.  “It’s not that serious.”

“Not yet,” he says.  “But I saw the way she looked at you at the benefit, and I saw the way you were holding her, like she was your whole damn world.  What’s going to happen when this Trump thing works out? Hell, I already told Syd...you know, she’s either going to have to pull Kristy out of school for a while, or handle me being gone all the time.  I’m not going to pass this up for anything, and if you’re smart, you won’t let anything stand in the way of it either.”

I shove my hands in my pockets and sigh a little bit.  “I think you’re blowing this out of proportion,” I mutter.  “We had some fun, that’s it.”

“Fine,” he tells me.  “Have fun then.  I’m not stopping you.  But it better not interfere with everything we’ve been busting our asses for.”

I sit down at my desk and he storms away, making sure to slam the door shut behind him.  Damn, he needs to get over himself.  He panics, that’s his problem.  He sees dollar signs. Lots of them, and he’s so scared that it’s not going to work, or that he’s not going to get some kind of credit.  Shit, I mean...lately I feel like he’s more into himself than ever.  

Ever since the boys came he’s just been so damn cocky.

It makes me wonder if something is going on, or...

Or if he’s trying to do something behind my back.

I can’t dwell on it.  I can’t.  Too much is happening right now, and I’m over thinking everything.  I knew this would happen.  I knew Abbey would complicate things, but that’s not her fault.  It’s mine for giving in, opening up.

But shit, I’m so damn...happy at the same time.

I get on the phone.  It’s my one comfort right now.  The one and only way I can escape my issues and delve deeply into the busy world of Wall Street...forget anything is wrong at all.
Twelve by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Here you go guys!! Enjoy!
I have bite marks on my boobs.

While Braeden was never that raunchy, a part of me almost wished he was.  There’s something about incorporating a little bit of roughness into intercourse that drives me wild.  No, I’m not about to break out the whips and leather or anything but...

It was fun, doing that with Justin.

What the hell is going on? It’s the one question that’s been repeating itself over and over in my mind since I woke up this morning.  The tension was rising so rapidly inside of me when I woke up, that I thought I was going to snap at Justin.  Flip out because I was fucking scared, confused...

But when he pressed his warm, naked, muscular body up against mine, and kissed my neck, all of those feelings seemed to melt away.

It’s like...when he’s with me, showing me his good side, I don’t worry about anything.  Braeden disappears from my memory. The more I think about that the more it hurts too.  I tried to remember how Braeden’s laughter sounded this morning as I was getting the boys dressed.  I closed my eyes, and thought, and thought about it...

I couldn’t remember.

Justin had left me in a fog, forcing me to focus on him, to think about him all morning long.  I was sure we would talk later, and I had no idea what that conversation would entail.  Would he go to work and realize he’d made a mistake? That he was too good for me, or that he didn’t really want to be in a relationship?  As much as I’d like to say I wouldn’t have a problem just being friends with him, at this point, we’re in too deep.  It’s like, we can’t turn back now because...we’ve slept together and since it’s been six years since I’ve had any male interaction, that’s a big deal to me.

Anything other than a relationship with him at this point would mean disaster, and since I can’t desert the boys...I know I’m going to have to make this work one way or the other.

But shit, am I even ready?  Am I ready to just...leave Braeden behind, move on with my life?

“Of course you are.”  Charlene says to me.  “Stop saying that you don’t know if you’re ready.  Fuck, Abbey, it’s been six damn years.  Give yourself a break, okay? My god, a rich, powerful, and handsome man has decided that he’d like nothing more than to bang you silly all night long.  I mean, shit, I’ll take him if you don’t want him.”

I called Charlene this morning and asked her if she would meet me at the playground.  It had been weeks since I talked to her, and I felt really bad about it.  She understood of course. She told me that she knew Justin was probably bossing me around, and she was happy.  She was happy because it meant I didn’t have a chance to focus on anything else in my life, like the past.  “Char, this is big deal.”

She narrows her eyes at me.  “I know. He’s your boss.  Okay so...I mean, lots of people sleep with their bosses.  This is New York City after all.”  

I sigh as she lights up another cigarette and takes a long drag.  I glance out at the playground and see Davey and Austin both on the swings.  They’ve been really good for me today, surprisingly enough.  I think Austin could tell Justin and I were in a weird mood this morning though.  When Justin left for work, Austin asked me if I had a boyfriend, to which I told him that I used to have one but at the moment I didn’t.  He dropped the subject, but still...I know he’s too smart for his own good and he’s going to figure out what’s going on really quick.  It’s so important my relationship with Justin is healthy for the boys too, and I really need him to understand that.

“What happens if something goes wrong?” I say to her.  “It wouldn’t be so bad if the kids weren’t involved.  I can’t just...leave him if things get rough, you know?  The boys need me.  We’re too close now for me to disappear on them.”

She nods a little, seeming to understand.  “Look, I’ve dated guys like Justin Timberlake before.  Maybe they weren’t as rich as him, but they sure as hell knew what they wanted in their lives.  Guys like Justin...they don’t latch onto a woman so easily.  From what you’re telling me, he seems to be completely into you...like more than just a fuck friend.  I mean, the guy took you to look at abstract Italian art,” she laughs.  “I know you’re scared right now and you’re trying to think of every reason to back out of this, but you need to give it a chance.  Braeden was special, I know he was, but do you really think he’d want you to be alone forever?”

I look down at my sneakers and close my eyes, knowing what the correct answer is right away.  We discussed it actually, Braeden and I, when he first enlisted in the reserves.

“So if something happens to me, I want you to make sure you find a really rich man who will take care of you.”

“Braeden,” I groaned after he swept me up in a small kiss.  “You’re doing a great job of making me paranoid.”

“Sorry,” he chuckled.  “I just want to make sure that you won’t turn into some kind of hermit if something happens, that’s all.”

I just smiled at him because I was positive nothing bad could possibly happen to him.  “I won’t turn into a cave woman,” I laughed.

“Promise?” He narrowed his eyes at me and smirked.  “And you’ll find a rich man?”

“God, you’re ridiculous.  Yes!”

It makes me sick to my stomach, looking back on that conversation now.

I guess Braeden is sort of getting his wish.

Maybe he’s watching over me right now, happy that I’ve found Justin.  If he could, he would probably tell me to screw my head on straight and be happy...live my life.

I guess I should.

I know I care about Justin now.  It’s not a question of that, it’s a question of how far I’m willing to go to make our relationship work, and how far is he as well.

I glance at my watch and realize how late it already is.  I’ve been talking to Charlene about my issues for over three hours, and soon it will be time for dinner.  I call the boys and they come running over to the bench that we’ve been sitting on all this time.  “You guys need baths before dinner,” I laugh.  “You’re both filthy.”

Austin shrugs.  “I’m not filthy.  Davey was the one playing in the sandbox before.”

Dave scowls a little and crosses his arms at his brother, as if he’s angry at him for throwing him under the bus.

“You have dirt on your nose,” Charlene points out.  “Want me to lick my finger and wipe it off?”

“Ew,” Austin says, trying to scowl but can’t seem to help but smile.  “That’s gross.”

Charlene licks her finger.  “Come ‘ere!”

“No!”  Austin half moans half laughs as he wraps his arms around me and buries his face in my shoulder.  “Abbey!”

“Are you going to take a bath when we get home?” I say, spanking his butt playfully.

“I will!”

“Okay, then Charlene will put her spit finger away,” I laugh.  “Come on, lets go home.”r32;
Davey takes my hand and the four of us walk out of the playground and back onto the city sidewalk.  Charlene follows us as far as the subway station nearest to Justin’s place, and we say goodbye.

“Keep me updated,” she says, as she hugs me tightly.  “Okay?”r32;
I sigh a little as I pull back from her embrace.  “I will.”

“You better do this, at least...try,” she says to me quietly, as to not alert the boys.  “It’s worth it, Abbey.”

“I’ll talk to you soon,” I roll my eyes at her, and she laughs and shakes her head as she makes her way down the subway stairs.  Then she’s gone again.  The boys and I walk the four blocks back home, and as soon as we get inside, Austin doesn’t hesitate to tell me he’s getting in the bath.  I smile, tell him that he’s been behaving very well today and I’ll try to do something for him tomorrow.

“Kind of like...a reward.  Like Justin gave you?” He questions.  “When he took you to dinner?”

God, no.  Not that kind of reward.  “Um, more like an ice cream cone or something,” I blush.

“Do you like my brother,” he finally asks.

“Davey?” I ask stupidly.  “Of course.”r32;
“I meant Justin,” he states, bluntly.

“Oh...” I trail off and quickly try to think of the right thing to say.  “Well he’s my boss, you know that.  We get along.”

“He’s nicer to you than he is to anybody else,” he mutters.  “At least...now he is.”

“We understand each other,” I huff.  “Your brother has...a hard time opening up to people.  You know that.”

Austin nods and looks at the floor for a moment.  He does that a lot, as if he has something on his mind but never says exactly what it is.  He holds back, and that’s why he’s always angry, but at the moment, I know it’s not the best time to address that issue with him.

“Abbey, do you think he’ll come to my first game?”

It’s his way of asking me if Justin really cares about him.  He has so much hope in his eyes too, like having his brother there to watch him play means everything to him, and fuck, come hell or high water, I will get Justin to that game even if it kills me.  “I’m going to make sure of it.”  I say, with a small smile.

“I dunno...he’ll probably have a meeting.”

“Hey.”  I approach him slowly, crouch down so I can meet his level and run my fingers through his mess of springy curls.  “He loves you.  You know that, right?”

I see the tears creeping down his face.  It’s a first for him.  He’s never just...broken down in front of me before.  He’s strong willed, like Justin, doesn’t like to look “lame” in the eyes of others.  Davey is the sensitive one.  It’s partially why he doesn’t talk much at all.  

“I don’t think...I don’t think he does,” Austin whispers.  “He had to bring me here, because he wanted Davey.”

I sigh heavily and pull him into a tight hug.  “He’s coming around,” I whisper as he clings to me...so tight.  “And he wanted both of you.  I know he did.”

“Y-you think?” he hiccups.

I pull away, and flash him a wider smile as I wipe his tears away and kiss his cheek.  “I know it, Austin.”

He sighs and nods a little.  “I’ll get in the tub.”

“Please do.  You smell like poo.”

I laugh and he laughs harder as he wanders away from me.  Well...I think Austin and I might have just had our very first breakthrough.  I can only hope Justin can have one with him sooner rather than later.  It’s more important for them to bond.  Maybe I can get them to go out together by themselves some night soon.  I should look into that, maybe...surprise them somehow.  Maybe if I talk to Cheryl, she can figure out a way to get it done without Justin finding out about it.  

Yeah, that might work.

I put Davey in the bath while Austin takes his in another bathroom.  He’s eight, but you wouldn’t know it.  He still likes somebody to be with him while he’s in the tub.  I found that out the hard way, the very first time I ever put him down for a bath.  He screamed his head off when I walked out on him, and so...I have been mandated to stay with him whenever his bath time comes around.  He perfectly happy that way.  He plays with his toys, and lets me wash his hair for him.  Those are surefire signs that this kid was babied from the moment he was born.  He’s a momma’s boy all the way.  Then it hits me...

Austin may have been shoved to the side by his mother, her focus having been taken up solely by Davey from the moment he was born.

I’m not sure of course, but...the way he vies for attention from Justin, his teacher, and me is a good indication that I’m right.

I’d ask Justin about his mother too, what she was like, but... I seriously doubt it’s the first subject he wants to discuss with me when he walks through the door.

Lucinda has set the dining room for us to eat in tonight.  I realize that it’s the first time we’ve eaten in here since I took the job.  It’s very nice, filled with various pieces of art and precious keepsakes that I’m sure Justin spent a lot of time and a lot of money collecting.  I get a little nervous as I sit down.  It’s no place for two little kids to be running around, and I don’t hesitate to remind them both not to touch anything when they join me at the table.

“It’s fancy in here,” Davey whispers, his eyes wide as he gazes around the room.

I stare at him for a moment, trying my best not to make a big deal that he just spoke up.  Francine says it’s better to treat it as an every day occurrence, so he feels more welcome to doing it more and more.  “Yes, it is,” I say, as Lucinda puts out some bread for us.  “That’s why we all need to be careful.”  Austin grabs a piece of bread and begins to butter it himself, while I prepare Davey’s for him.

“Very careful.”

I look over my shoulder, and gasp a little when I see Justin leaning against the doorframe.  I eye the large grandfather clock in the corner of the room.  It’s only five forty five, much too early for him to be home.  I expected him at seven, the earliest.  I guess he made it a point to prove me wrong, to show me that he could keep his word if he really wanted to.  “Hey,” I say lightly.

He takes off his blazer, and swings it over his shoulder as he enters the room.  “Hey.”

He takes a seat.  Austin stares at him, Davey shoves his bread in his mouth and I just fiddle with my napkin.

“Everybody’s so quiet,” he snickers as he pulls the napkin off his plate and puts it on his lap.  “What happened today?”

“Nothing,” I say, with a small laugh.  “It’s just...you’re never home this early.”

“Hey, I said I’d be home for dinner.”  He winks at me a little bit as he grabs a roll and begins to butter it.  “I’m a man of my word.”

“Yeah right,” Austin scoffs.

Justin looks at him for a long moment, before rolling his eyes and focusing back on me again.  “So I thought we could go to Southhampton this weekend,” he says, as Lucinda carries in a tray of food for us, and sets it down in the center of the table.  “I haven’t been to the house in a while and pretty soon it’ll be too cold to bother.”

“The house?” I say, nonchalantly as I peer at our main course...roasted chicken with baby potatoes and vegetables.  It smells so good, I can barely focus on anything else.  Not even Justin.

“Yeah, I have a weekend house out there,” Justin tells me.  “It’s right on the beach.  The boys will like it.  It’s great.  There’s no crowds, no distractions.  You up for it Ab?”

The professional level between Justin and I has officially become non existent.  Now I’m just Ab to him, and soon, soon I’ll probably slip up and start calling him J.  Things are definitely changing, and it’s all I can think about as I pile some food onto Davey’s plate and cut it up for him.  It’s so weird to see Justin like this, home from work, carefree, smiling.  It’s like somebody has taken evil stock market Justin away and replaced him with family man of the year Justin instead.  Is it me? Have I really been able to change him this much over the span of a few weeks? It seems...impossible, that I could have.  “I...I mean, sure,” I say, not quite meeting his gaze.  “Austin, doesn’t that sound nice?”

“I don’t care,” he mutters.

I stare at Justin, waiting for him to start swearing at his brother.  For a moment it seems like he might do it too.  His expression is dark, his cheek bones jutted in annoyance, but...he doesn’t say anything.  He just looks at me, and begins to calm down.  “So we’ll go,” he nods.  “Just go buy whatever you need for the boys, and pack up.  I’ll leave you a list of what I need too.  We can leave on Friday afternoon and come back Monday night.  I already called Dalton, and they said it’s fine if Austin comes back on Tuesday.”

I raise an eyebrow, completely shocked that he was able to keep his cool, and also shocked that he’s taking a long weekend when it’s not a holiday.  All of that combined with the fact that he took it upon himself to call Dalton tells me that Justin is just...a completely different person as of today.  “Okay,” I chuckle.  “But, what about work?”

He shrugs.  “I have an office set up there, so I’ll conference from the house on Monday morning, but that’s it.  It’s...it’s been awhile since I’ve taken an extra day for myself.  On Labor Day I...I actually went into the office,” he says, shaking his head a little bit.  “I’m about due for a small break, and things are going to start picking up so I should take it while I can.”

I would stand up and applaud him for joining the human race, but I doubt his brothers would look at me the same.  I just smile softly at him instead, and start to eat my dinner.

“I like the beach.”  Davey says softly, after a while.

Justin smiles at me and then beams at his youngest brother.  “Yeah, me too, buddy.  Hey Austin, you know what? I think Kristy is going to come too.”

Austin seems to brighten at this.  “Does she like soccer?”

Justin chuckles and takes a bite of his chicken.  “I think she might play.  Bring your ball. I’m sure you guys could play, even if she doesn’t.  You can show her some moves.”

I however, have not brightened at this news.  It means Trace and Sydney are coming.  Here I was thinking that it was going to be a weekend away, with just the four of us.  Naturally though, Justin needs to include his best friend in everything he does.  “Trace is coming?”r32;
Justin looks at me, like he knew I wouldn’t approve.  “Yeah...it’s a big place.  We always go together, every year.”

“Oh.”

I continue to eat my dinner in silence, and Justin doesn’t stop me.  I don’t think he wants to get into a heated argument in front of the boys, which is good.  They’re having a good evening followed by a good day, and it’s not fair to spoil it for them.  We finish our dinners and then Lucinda brings out two different kinds of cake for dessert.  I allow the boys to have two pieces each, and when they’re finished I tell them to get into their pajamas so they can watch cartoons until it’s time for bed.  Austin gets excited and asks me if he’s off punishment, since I’ve stuck like glue to the rule that he can’t watch any TV since he had the fight at school.  I smile and tell him I’m letting him have time off for good behavior and he grins and gives me a quick hug before racing off to change, Davey hot on his heels.

Then Justin and I are left alone at the table.  We’re quiet for a very long time.  Justin plays with his phone, chewing nervously on his bottom lip, most likely because he knows I’m not thrilled with him slipping Trace into the long weekend like this.  It’s like, he’s leaving me with no choice.  I’m sure he and Trace have already talked about this, planned it, and he can’t just call the guy up and tell him not to come.  It sucks.  I’ll spend the whole weekend avoiding that guy and his bitch of a girlfriend.  But hey, at least the boys will be happy.

That’s all that matters, right?

“It won’t be so bad,” Justin speaks up finally.

“Don’t,” I scoff and shake my head.  “The past twenty four hours have been awkward enough.”

He lowers his head slightly.  “Are we gonna talk about it?”

I shrug.  “I’m a little annoyed.”

“Look, we’ll have a good time,” he tries to reassure me.  “It’s more of a vacation for Trace and Syd anyway.  They usually spend most of their time in seclusion.  They won’t bother you.”

I roll my eyes.  “That’s not the point,” I tell him.  “You know it’s not.  They dont like me, and I don’t like them.  Now you and I have started...whatever we’ve started.  Do you really think it’s going to be easy having them around while we’re hanging out?”

He shrugs.  “He’s my best friend.  I can’t just...drop him.”

“Well fine,” I laugh.  “I never said you had to drop him. I just don’t...I don’t really see the point in doing this with you if it’s going to be awkward all the time.”

He stands up because I have too.  “You’re the only one who’s making it awkward!” He exclaims.  “We had a good night...a good morning and now I want to go away with you for the weekend.  Why can’t you just focus on that?  Maybe...maybe Trace just needs to spend some time getting to you know you. He’s pretty stubborn, I mean...once he gets to know you he’ll understand.”

I suddenly realize it was his plan all along.  He figured getting Trace and I trapped in the same house for the weekend, would force us to get along.  Justin...he’s weak even though nobody else realizes it.  He couldn’t tell his friend to back off the night he called me “the help” and he can’t tell him to back off during his weekend vacation in the Hamptons either.  He just wants everybody to get along blissfully in his perfect little world.  “It’s not happening,” I find myself saying out loud.  “We have nothing in common, Justin.  He’s just a pompous asshole to me, and his girlfriend is no better.”

“Well I want you there,” he says softly.  “Doesn’t that count?”

I sigh heavily and place my hands on the table.  I stare down at them, trying to think, trying to figure out a way to make this whole awkward situation go away.  Fuck, if I’d just kept to myself...not opened up to him, I doubt I would even be in this situation.  We never would have kissed, and we certainly wouldn’t have spent the night together if I’d done that.  “I don’t know what counts,” I mutter.  “I’m fucking confused.  I’ve been confused since we kissed on the pier and completely weirded out since we...you know.”

He smirks a little bit and strokes his chin.  “I thought you liked it.”

I hate it when he’s cocky.  “That’s not the point!”

“Abbey.”  He steps around the table so he can stand before me.  I back away slightly, giving him the hint that I don’t want him to touch me right now.  “Look, I don’t want to push you into something with me and then have you regret it later.  That wasn’t my intention last night.  We were both into the moment.  My life is hectic as hell and it’s not slowing down.  If you want to stop, that’s fine.  I’m not going to pressure you, but I can’t help it, you know...the way I feel about you now.”  

I feel my face burning, and I have to look away from him so he won’t see how obvious it is...the way he makes me feel when he looks at me that way, smiles...lets me know that he cares about me.   “You need to sort out what the most important things are in your life, Justin,” I finally say.

“I already know what they are,” he says, seriously.  “I mean, I didn’t for a while but...I think I do now.  I don’t really know what you did...or where you came from, but you...you just make me think, you know?  I have this clarity now, I can see past the business side of my life more.  I know I need to be here for the boys and give them a better home life...and I know...I know I don’t want to spend my time with any other woman besides you.”

He’s not lying.  I know he’s not.  Char was right, he does know exactly what he wants, and I guess that’s my fault for opening his eyes and showing him all the goodness in his life that he was missing out on.  “How can you be so sure about me, after just a couple of weeks,” I rasp.

He smiles, so gently, and cups my face with his hand.  “I just...do.”

He doesn’t give me another chance to protest, before his lips are pressed against mine, and I find myself losing my mind in the kiss.  I’m done, officially.  A mess over him.  It’s not fair.  I mean, I was pissed, and rightfully so.  Damn him.  Damn him and his kisses...how sweet he can be when nobody else is around.  I pull away.  “I guess I’ll try to tolerate Trace,” I grunt.

He grins devilishly.  “See? That wasn’t so hard was it?”

Oh, I hate him.  “You’re a jerk.”

He kisses me anyway, and unfortunately, I let him.  Boy, Charlene sure would love this.  “You spendin the night?” He whispers, sucking on my neck a little bit.

“Justin...” I sigh.  

“Yeah?”

I look at him, immediately forgetting the reason why I was about to protest.  I’m lost in his eyes and his smile, the way his large, wonderful hands are rubbing themselves up and down my back, reassuring me that he’s not going anywhere.  “I...I forgot.”

He just laughs, and after spending a couple of mindless hours watching TV with the kids, we tuck them into bed, and I find myself in his bed with him immediately afterward, his arms wrapped tightly around me.  He talks to me for a while about how he’s going to play golf with Trump tomorrow, how he’s nervous about it.  I tell him that he shouldn’t be because he’s come so far in his life, and that it’s a good match with Trump, even though I have no idea what it takes to run a business whatsoever.  It doesn’t matter though.  My words reassure him, because he smiles, pulls me closer and kisses my forehead.

“Anything you want,” he whispers next.  “You tell me and it’s yours.”

I roll my eyes.  “Justin, I don’t want anything from you.”

“I figured you’d say that,” he laughs, gently.  “So I set you up another appointment with Roberta.”

I groan.  “Oh god, Justin.  Not her.”

“Why not,” he snickers.  “Her face may be full of botox but she knows all about fashion.  Just go there and get yourself a new closet full of clothes.  I want you to.  You should have the best of everything, Abbey.”

“Including naughty lingerie?” I roll my eyes.

“If...um...if that’s what you want.” His cheeks turn pink and he tries to hold back his laughter, but fails.

“I know it’s what you want.”

“It’s gonna come off anyway,” he tells me with a sly smile.  “I like you best when you’re naked,” he laughs.

“Pig.”

But I let him take me again, just like last night.  I can’t stop myself.  I’m done, finished, he has complete control of my emotions now.

I have found a rich man that will take care of me, and I care about him a lot.  I really do.  All should be right with the world.

But deep down inside, there’s still something missing, even though it keeps escaping my memory, and I keep forgetting small things that I used to love about him.  Justin can’t replace him.  Nobody can.  I need to get over it.  Braeden is gone.  This is reality, and I’m moving forward, I am, once and for all.

But getting past a parasite like Trace, I know, isn’t going to be easy at all.
Thirteen by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
This is off the beaten path and completely random! Don't kill me! *ducks*
“Sampson...hey...Sampson.”

It’s the most silent of whispers, but I’m used to that, learned how to hear them in my sleep.  Communication is important, and right now, in the dead of night, is the only way we can.  I slowly open my eyes.  One opens more easily than the other, due to the blow I received yesterday.  My Arabic has gotten pretty good.  I mean, it’s been six years...I would hope I would understand most of it by now.  Apparently not.  Apparently I did something wrong, because that son of a bitch punched me in the face while I was bent over, cleaning his fucking bathroom.

I wanted to take my scrub brush and shove it up his big fat ass.

When they put me back in my cage, I fell asleep with a smile on my face, thinking about it.

“What’s up?” I rasp, turning my head slightly to look at him.

“They’ve been talking.  I’ve been listening,” Lennot says.  “They want to make another blind bomb.”

I lean my head back against the bars of the cage, taking in the information.  “When and who?”

“I don’t know.”

There were twelve of us, down here in these cages six years ago.  Six years ago, I knew I was getting out too.  That the government back home would send out a task force and bomb the shit out of this place to get us out of here.  Six years ago I had hope, I wouldn’t give up.

But now six years have passed, and nobody has come to rescue us. I live in a square cage, only big enough to allow me a spot to sit down.  They feed us stale bread and nasty, rancid water three times a day to keep us alive.  It used to make me puke, but my body has gotten used to it.  For eight hours a day we are clamped in shackles, made to clean, to weed the garden, and do whatever else they tell us to, or face horrible consequences.

There’s three of us left from twelve now.  Three.  Lennot was in the air force.  His plane crashed down, he was taken prisoner, sold, and brought here. Christensen...he was a marine, got separated from his squadron, and wandered right into an insurgent trap.  He was sold four times before he ended up here with us.  I was patrolling the mountains with two other men in my company, when I took a wrong turn, tripped, and landed in the eye line of the enemy.  A knife was held to my throat.  I was sure I was a gonner, but then one of them got this queer smirk on his face, muttered something in Arabic which I now know means “good cow”, and shoved a bag over my head before tying my hands behind me.  It took days before I was allowed to see anything, and by then, I didn’t know where the hell I’d been taken.  All I knew was that I was here, in a cage.  Lennot was here already.  He told me that I’d been sold as a slave.  That their royalty bought American prisoners as slaves, since most of their servants had been forced to join the Taliban army.  

I just...I just couldn’t fucking believe it, and I still...I still don’t know what part of the country I’m in, after all this time.  Lennot says our government doesn’t know anything about this ‘soldier black market,’ that they probably figured us for dead after the first year.  That they most likely printed up death certificates for us, and told our families to have a nice life.

Lennot has three kids and a wife back home...he’s thirty seven now, still clings to the hope that he’s going to go home to them again.  Christensen was twenty when he was brought here, he had a girlfriend back home that he’s sure has moved on by now.  Our backgrounds are similiar.  His cage is too far down from mine though. I never get to talk to him unless we are made to do tasks together, and even then it’s hard.  If they catch us talking, we get whipped.

I’ve lost almost everything.  My stability, my strength, my mentality.

What keeps me going? What keeps me from making them slit my throat? Her.  The only thing I have left now is the image of her plastered in the back of my mind, walking towards me, laughing and smiling.  I’ll let my life dwindle down slowly, just so I can keep envisioning her.  I can die with that image of her in my brain...happy and at peace.

It’s the one thing they can’t take away from me.

Oh, my Abbey. I wonder what’s become of you?

I hope you found that rich guy.  I hope he’s a gentleman, that he gives you everything you want.

I hope you don’t think of me anymore.

I smile.  She’s happy.  I can just feel it inside of me.

“What are we gonna do,” I whisper to Lennot.

“We gotta get out.  We can’t let them...we can’t let them finish us all.”

I laugh, a little bit too loudly, and cover my mouth with my dirty hands.  “We’re defenseless.  Remember Ericson? They made an example out of him to show us that.”

Ericson tried to run my second year here.  Out of all of us, he was probably the most daring.  I felt horrible for him.  He had a brand new baby girl back home, a young wife that he would have done anything to get home to.  I didn’t blame him for trying.  For a few moments that morning, I thought he might have actually gotten away.  He ran into the trees... I couldn’t see him for a while.  They brought us all down to our knees.  There were eight of us then.   One of those turban wearing muscle men found Ericson within twenty minutes.

They slit his throat right in front of us and yelled: “We will shed the blood of any American trash who defy us!” in Arabic.

Nobody tried to run after that.

The rest of us have been getting picked off, one by one, over the last four years.  They like to take us places, strap bombs to us, and kill us in front of our own troops.  I see what they do to prepare us, because they do it down here, as we sit in our cages and watch in horror. They dress him in traditional Afghan robes, gag him, wrap his face with dark material, so it covers every part, except for the nose, so we can’t be identified.  They put a bomb vest on him, lock it onto him with padlocks and chains, and tie his hands behind him. Lennot told me that they dump the prisoner in the street, and drive off to a far away point to detonate the bomb.  The prisoner is left to wander around blindly, hands tied, with no chance of escaping or calling for help.  Lennot calls it the ‘blind bomb.’  Our government believes that we are suicide bombers when we are presented in the streets, faces cloaked by a mask.  That we are insurgents.  It’s a lie.

It’s a fucking lie.

And I hope that’s not the way I go.  If I die...I want my family to know how, I want Abbey to know how.  

But I could be next.  I could be the next blind bomb.

I’m immune to crying.  At least I thought I was.

But I feel the tears on my face now, for the first time in years.

“Lennot.”  I croak.

“Yeah, kid.”

“I wanna go home...so bad.”

He’s silent.  I know he’s trying to figure a way out for the both of us.  But it’s so hopeless.  So damn hopeless when all we have are the clothes on our backs, and they have machine guns that could take us out in half a second.

“Then we’ll make it so,” he says gruffly.  

“Lennot...”

“Leave it to me,” he tells me, in a normal tone of voice, and I know he’s getting bold.  I mean, they could hear him.  “I’m gonna see it through.  I promise you kid.  We’ve made it this far, the three of us...we’re not dying now.  When they decide who’s next, that’s when we strike.  Try to tell Christensen if you can, or I will.”

“But how...how can we if we’re locked up?”

“It’s going to take the person they choose to put the plan into action.  If it’s you, grab their gun, do whatever you can to knock them out. Once you get the keys, you unlock the cages, and we get the hell out of here.”

It’s a good plan.  A smart plan.  Something that would work in the movies.  But these guys are twice our size and armed.  It’s just...I hate to be so down.  I really fucking do.  But I just don’t see how it can work.

I just don’t see us getting out of here alive.

Footsteps approach our dark living space.  I know it must be dawn.  Lennot closes his eyes quickly and pretends to be fast asleep and I do the same.  I hear the door being thrust open.  I pray to god this isn’t the blind bomb day.

“You, up,” I recognize in Arabic, and my eyes spring open immediately.

But they aren’t talking to me.

I hear Christensen asking them what’s going on, as his cage is opened.  I see the robes being unfolded, the bomb vest held out in one of the insurgents hands, ready to be slipped over his body.

Oh no.

“Hey!” I yell.  “Hey! NO!”  I rattle the door on my cage, trying as hard as I can to knock it open.  It doesn’t work.  I just hear them yelling at me in Arabic to shut up.

Christensen looks at me as he’s made to strip down out of his clothes, naked after a moment or two.

This is the end for him.

“Fight back!” Lennot yells.  “Christensen!”

I cover my face, when all he does is stand there.  It’s silent now.  They’re dressing him.  I hear him whimpering as they gag him.  Please God.  Please help...

Please.

I hear him shuffling and it makes me pick my head out of my hands.  He’s being led out, head covered in fabric, hands tied behind his back. I can hear him crying.  He’s being walked to a horrible, horrible death.  Why? Why him? Why not me?

“Why not me!” I scream at them in Arabic.

They laugh.

“You’re next.”  One of them babbles to me in Arabic.  “A few months more, and you’ll be gone too.  You’re stronger than this young one.  We can work you a little more before we kill you.”

It makes me shut up, swallow hard, and I lean back against the bars of the cage again, while our friend, brother, and comrade is taken to his death.

I hope it’s peaceful, hope it goes fast.

“Goodbye, brother,” I whimper.

Now there are two.  Two from twelve.

And soon, Lennot will be the only one left here to die.
Fourteen by ialwayzbesingin

Trace wasn’t invited to golf with Trump.  I’m still not exactly sure why.  When Cheryl called to confirm the tee time, she came into my office afterward and told me that Trump’s assistant said that Trace wasn’t to attend.  I had to let him down gently, because I knew he wouldn’t take it well.

“It’s probably just a formality,” I reassured him.  “You know, I’m the CEO of my company and he’s the CEO of his.  He wants to get a feel for me.”

“He hates me,” Trace groaned, and put his head in his hands.  “Was it my suit? It must have been my suit...”r32;

r32;“Trace, man, get a hold of yourself.” I laughed at him.  For the first time all day, our friendship seemed to be back to normal.  Our argument earlier in the day about Abbey had caused us to ignore each other, and I couldn’t fucking stand it.  He was my best friend, yeah, but he was so much more than that at the same time.  He’d taken me under his wing, made sure I learned to be civilized...that I could read, that I got my GED, and when he was offered a job at NASDAQ he made sure I was able to get one as well.  That’s how I got started, got recognized.  It’s how I became a Wall Street legend in the eyes of others.  He’s supported me since the day we met, and I can’t remember a time before Abbey came along that we ever seriously argued about anything.

He’s just stressed.  The sudden change to my lifestyle with the boys is something he never expected.  That’s what I keep telling myself, anyway.

Anything else, would probably piss me off too much.

And I’m going to do whatever I can to make this weekend work.  I knew the moment Trace brought up Southhampton, that it was going to involve getting him and Abbey in the same house, and I knew it was something she probably wouldn’t want.  But I want to spend that time away with her.  I want to get closer to her, and to the boys, and staying at my beach house is the perfect way to do it.  There’s not as many distractions there.  I’ll forward my calls for the weekend, and just take my conference on Monday morning while the boys are still in bed.  It’ll be good for us, even if Trace and Abbey can’t stand each other.  We’re adults right? Surely, they can learn to get along for the sake of the kids and have a good time?

I think once Trace realizes just how much I’m starting to care about Abbey his attitude will change.  Right now, I don’t think he trusts her just because she works for me.  I can’t lie, most women in Abbey’s situation would take advantage...use me for their own personal gain.  Not her though.  Abbey is...pure, and she’s lost so much in her life, just like me.  She sacrifices herself now for the boys happiness.  I don’t think she could ever hurt anybody, and what’s more...she gets me, deep down where nobody else can.

I love touching her, kissing her, taking her all in when we’re in bed together.  She’s the perfect lover.  No other woman has been able to captivate me in the bedroom quite like she has.  Her body is angelic.  The way it curves, the way every freckle is in the most perfect, kissable location, is sexy as hell.  The way she says my name, like she needs me, like she never wants to let me go, makes my mind spin, makes me take her over and over again until the sun rises.

I’m pretty tired today.

But I’m sucking it up for Mr. Trump, because as much as I don’t act like it, this is the biggest deal of my career.  Trace’s career too, even though he can’t be here.  I gave him a pretty big work list to get his mind off his anger though.  I hope it works.

“What’s your handicap son?”

My caddy lowers my bag of clubs, and hands me the one he thinks I could use best at this particular junction of the game.  We’re six holes in right now.

Mr. Trump is kicking my ass.

“Six.” I say, as I step up to the tee and take a few practice swings.

“That’s pretty good,” I hear him chuckle.  “Not on top of your game today?”

I try not to tense up.  I know he’s doing this to see what type of guy I really am, if I crack under pressure or not.  “It’s just the beginning.”  I look back over my shoulder and flash him a cocky smile.  “I’m getting warmed up.”

“Ah, yes,” he laughs.

He knows I’m full of shit.

I whack the ball.  It sails through the air, and I slip on my special golf ball glasses to ensure I don’t lose sight of it.  

It lands in the water.

Trump is laughing as I stand here, shoulders slumped in defeat.  There goes the fucking game, the day, and probably any chance I had of partnering with this legend of finance.  Trace will kill me, spend an hour saying ‘how could you fuck this up for us’, and I’ll just sit there and take it, knowing I’m a fucking failure.

“Don’t feel bad about it, son,” he pats my back as he puts his own ball down on the tee.  “Everybody has an off day.  You probably think I’m going to tell you the deal is off though,” he smirks.  “Am I right?”

I shrug as I pull off my gloves and stick them in my back pocket.  “If my game is going this crappy, you must not think too highly of my business sense.”r32;


“It’s just a game,” he smirks.  “Something for us to do, away from the office.  I wanted to get you away from your staff so I could talk to you, one on one.”

He hits the ball.  I’m sure it landed on the green.  “So that’s why you didn’t want Trace around?” I chuckle, knowing it’s bold, but not caring.  I want an answer, and I hate to play games.

I mean, if he has doubts about my business partner, I just dont’ see how this relationship is going to work.

“Mr. Ayala, yes,” he nods, and presses his lips together.  “How long have you worked together, Justin?”

I shrug.  “About seven years now.”

“Do you trust him?”

It’s a fair question.  One that I’m sure he asks a lot of people that he’s about to partner up with.  “Yeah, of course,” I nod.  “He’s...he’s been there through it all, you know?”

“Mr. Timberlake, I’m not sure if I should be the one telling you this,” he sighs, as we walk along to find our balls.  “But I feel like I must, because you seem absolutely clueless about the situation.”

I stop, dead in my tracks, and stare at him.  “What do you mean?”

“Did you know, that Mr. Ayala used to work for Merrill Lynch?”

“N-no...” I shake my head.  “How is that possible?”

“He was very young.  Twenty.  I don’t think you were around then.”

Trace was twenty one when we met, and I had just turned nineteen.  He said he’d been laid off, and was trying to find work, but in the meantime, he would help me any way he could.  He sacrificed himself.  I’d be nothing without him.  “I met him when he was twenty one.  He’s two years older than me.”

“He became involved with a shady associate in the firm,” he tells me, quietly.  “I’m assuming that he was trying to move up the ladder faster than he should have been.  Together, they embezzled over three million dollars.  The only reason he’s not in prison, is because he testified against the other idiot, and was granted immunity.  Now, I’ll ask you again...do you trust him?”

I just stand here, dazed, staring at the man.  I have no words, nothing to say.  I mean, Trace kept it from me, the whole thing.  That's really terrible becasue he’s half of the fucking firm, and most of the time, especially lately, I’ve been leaving him to run a lot of the day to day business without me.  I’ll stay in the office and watch the stocks, deal with a lot of the international clients by phone.  He doesn’t complain.  He loves it, being in charge, and I know that.  But now...I mean...

Jesus.

What if...

No. No, no.  He wouldn’t.  He wouldn’t screw me.  Not after all the hard work we’ve done to get this far.  Why would he? He’s rich, richer than he could have ever imagined.  

But having money, can make your greedier than ever.  I would know.  I’ve been acting like an asshole ever since i gained power here in the city.  I’m only snapping out of it now because...I have somebody that’s showing me a better way to live my life.  But Trace, he’s set in his ways.  He cares about money...everything else comes second in his life.  I hate to admit that, but I know it’s true.

 I know i've been acting just like him, up til now.

“Mr. Trump,” I suck in a long breath after I say it.  “People can change.”

He shrugs.  “I’m not one for second chances.  Especially when it comes to my business and my money.  Justin, I like you.  You have a great mind, and I can tell that just by talking with you.  I think we could do amazing things in the business world, make more profit that you’ve probably ever thought possible.  But...I’m sorry to say, I want nothing to do with your business if it involves Mr. Ayala.”

I rub my forehead.  Fucking Christ.  I don’t know what to do.

“Why don’t you think about it?” He bends down as we approach the spot that his ball landed and picks it up.  “Take the rest of the week to mull it over. Perhaps have a meeting with your partners, look into your companies finances and see if anything out of the ordinary has been going on with the numbers.”r32;

I just nod.  I think I’m still too much in shock to say anything else to him.

“I need an answer by Tuesday,” he tells me softly.  “Or...the deal will have to be cut off.  If you want my advice, I would fire him as soon as possible.  I’ve been in this business long enough to know, that if somebody will embezzle once, they’ll do it again.  They’re a crafty sort...these kind of people.  Don’t put yourself at risk.  You could lose everything.”

He tees off, as if our conversation hasn’t phased him in the least.

Fuck, he basically just told me to either fire my best friend, or lose the biggest deal of my career.  I can’t...how can he expect me to do it?

I guess it’s called being a business man.  I should snap out of it, remember who I am and how much power I have.  Trace is my business partner sure, but I’m still his boss. It’s my duty to keep a watchful eye over him, make sure everything he’s doing is the right thing.  I think I’ve gotten out of that mentality when it comes to him.  He has free reign of the office.  My other partners, I work them like dogs, and while we get along famously in the office, at the end of the day they aren't my friends.  Sometimes I’ll let them come to my place for dinner, or i'll treat them all to drinks at the bar, and they like that, but it’s always a formality.  They’re always kissing my ass, complimenting me, so I’ll give them bigger bonuses.  Trace is the only one there who is there for me and me alone.

At least I thought so, up until now.

I think I’m going to be sick.

“I...I need the restroom,” I tell him softly.

He looks over his shoulder, and gives me a sad, knowing smile.  “Sure, son.”

The toilet water whooshes and swirls in my face as the bile from my stomach disappears from my view.  I lean against the wooden stall wall, taking deep, even breaths, just like my self help tape tells me to do.  It’s not helping, just like it didn’t help that time I went to take the boys away.  

My phone begins to ring, and when I look at the name and number flashing across the screen, the only thing I want to do is ignore it.

But I can’t.

“Hey, guess what.”

Trace sounds excited, and I know I can’t let him sense my anxiety over the phone, so I sit up a little and take a long breath before saying: “What’s up?”

“Oil skyrocketed this morning.  Three hundred dollars a share.  We just profited about seven million.  Hello new yacht!”

“That’s...great,” I say, knowing that it doesn’t sound convincing at all.

“Justin,” he laughs.  “Did you hear what I said?”

“Yeah.  I just...I’m not in the best place to talk right now.”

“How’s the game?”

“I’m losing,” I mutter.  I really feel like saying, ‘we didn’t finish, we were too busy talking about how fuckin’ shady you are,’ but I won’t.  I can’t.  

“Well how’s he acting? Is he gonna partner with us?”

“I dunno.”

“Are you sure you’re okay?” He asks me, his voice a little soft, and full of concern.  “You sound like you just got sick.”

“I gotta go.”

I can’t talk to him.  I can’t.  I’m getting angry and...I can’t right now.  

“What? Justin...”

I hang up, put my head in my hands, groan loudly into them.  For the first time ever in my career, I’m so fucking lost.  I couldn’t make a business decision today if my life depended on it, and that’s very bad.  It’s why Trump is giving me time.  He wants me to sort shit out.

I have to sort shit out.

I should cancel this weekend.

But then I think about Abbey and how I’m sure she’s psyched the boys up for the trip, and I know I can’t back down.  She wouldn’t forgive me, and since neither she or the boys have anything to do with business, I won’t disappoint them.  They don’t deserve to be let down by me anymore.  Hell, maybe I can confront Trace this weekend.  I can get him away from everybody, talk to him in seclusion, and ask him to tell me the truth.

He wont’ have a choice.

Because if he refuses...

I know I’ll have to let him go.
************
“Hey,” Abbey chuckles, sticking her face close to mine as I stare at my menu in a zombie like state.  “Sourpuss? What’s going on with you?”

I snap out of it.  It’s not fair to her, I mean...I brought her out to this great restaurant that she’s actually enjoying.  It has lots of perks like...an English speaking waitstaff, and dishes that don’t include the brains of various animals.  I sat at the computer all afternoon after I got back from golf and made sure I found the perfect place to take her.  I barricaded myself in my office in order to do it, told Cheryl that she better make sure i was left alone for the afternoon.

I shut Trace out.  He tried to talk to me as I walked down the hall to my office.  I blew him off, told him I had things I had to get done before I left for the day.

He’s pissed.  He called my office extension and called me a fucking asshole because Cheryl wouldn't allow him past her desk.

But I still couldn’t tell him why I was shutting him out.

I’m not ready.

I still haven’t been able to take it all in, what I’ve been told.

“I looked this place up online,” I say to her, quickly changing the subject.  “I think the chicken parm is supposed to be the best in New York City.”

She leans over her menu and rolls her eyes.  “I don’t care about chicken parm, and neither do you.  Cut the bullshit, Justin.”

She’s staring stubbornly into my eyes, being able to read every emotion on my face.  I hate that so much, that she can just...dig into me.  But I love it at the same time.  Do I love her? I don’t know about all that.  I doubt I could ever really love somebody because...because when that happens, you almost always get hurt.  Abbey knows that too...

The love of her life is dead.

I care about the girl though.  A lot.  I’m not about to deny that.

“Rough day,” I mutter.

“Okay...explain...”

“It’s business.”  I look down at my menu sternly.  “It’s nothing you need to be concerned about.”r32;

“Right.  I’m just some dumb broad.”

I sigh, roll my eyes and drum my fingers on top of the table.  “Who said that? I’m not at work right now.  I don’t want to discuss work if I’m not there, especially when you’re here...” I trail off, look up at her.  Her expression is softer now.  She’s beginning to understand.  “I had to bribe Lucinda to watch the kids tonight.  You know she’s not the biggest fan of babysitting.  I wanted to spend the night here with you, without interruptions.”

Abbey nods a little bit.  “I’m sorry.”

“No,” I shake my head roughly.  “I...I know you care.  I just...I just don’t see the point in burdening you with things that you have no part in.”

“Are you ready to order?”

The waitress is hovering over us now, smiling, awaiting our requests.

“Ooo I got this,” Abbey snickers and wiggles around excitedly in her chair.  “I can do it this time!”

I eye her playfully and stick my tongue out at her.  The waitress probably thinks we’re a couple of freaks, but I could care less.  

“I’ll have the chicken parm,” she giggles at me.  “I heard it’s the best in New York.”
 
I scoff a little, shake my head, but at the same time...I can feel the tension that’s been building up inside of me all day, start to die down.  She’s making the situation better, and hell..maybe I’ll be able to tell her about it later, tonight...when we’re in bed.

If she lets me get her in bed, anyway.

One never knows with Abbey, and Abbey will always get her way while she’s with me.

I order chicken fricassee, and once the waitress leaves, Abbey asks me if it’s the best in New York.  I dug myself a deep whole with that one, but I’d rather be joking with her.  If I wasn’t, I’d be miserable, and I can’t afford to be.  We talk and joke all the way through dinner and dessert, and by the time I pay the bill I’ve almost forgotten why I was upset at all.

But then it hits me again, so damn fast, once we leave the restaurant.

I go to the edge of the sidewalk and hold my hand out for a taxi, but Abbey pulls my hand back down, and laces her fingers through mine.

“Wait,” she says softly.  “We’re not that far, and...it’s a nice night.  Let’s walk.”

I haven’t walked back to my place in years.  Not since I was illiterate and broke.  The more I think about it though, the more nice it sounds...walking through the city with her tonight, no kids...no disturbances.  I smile, bend down to kiss her lips.  “Yeah, okay.”

We walk the city blocks back to my penthouse, hand in hand.  She asks me all different things about my life.  What part of Tennessee I grew up in, what my parents were like.  I tell her more about Tennessee than I do about my parents.  I’m not ready to dwell on them tonight, and when she doesn’t push me, I know she understands that I’m still not ready.  I change the subject to her, ask her about her family and about Colorado.  She’s a lot more willing to tell me about them.  Her mother is a school teacher and her dad sells cars.  She has one younger sister that’s still in high school.  They’re an average middle class American family, and from what I can tell, she is very close with her parents.

It’s probably why she’s so good with the boys.  She was brought up the right way.  I’m happy for her.  She deserves the best family, the best of everything.

“Justin,” she says, once we’re about a block away from my place.  “I hate to bug you about this but...”

I stop, turn to her and gently run my fingers through her hair.  “Ask me anything,” I say, knowing that the conversation could go a lot of different ways, but I’ll handle it.  I never want to say no to her again.

“I just...I was hoping next week, that you would come to Austin’s game.  I know you’ll have to leave work early but...he was talking to me about it the other day.  He really wants you there.  It would mean a lot to him, and to me.”

Shit, she just has to put it to me that way.  I mean, she knows how hard it is for me to leave work early.  I have so much to do, and now that all this shit is coming out about Trace, I have no idea what state the firm will be in by next week.  “I’ll be there.” I say it so fast, without thinking.

I’m such an idiot...so blinded by my feelings for her that I can’t back down from anything now.

“You...you will?” She smiles.  “Justin, really?”

I shrug.  “If it’s important I’ll be there.”

She squeals a little and jumps up, wrapping her arms around me tightly.  I laugh, and return her embrace, bending backward so I can lift her off the ground and swing her around a couple of times.  She hugs and kisses me so hard, there are tears in her eyes. It’s as if everything in her world is right, and that...that makes me the happiest man in New York City.

Now if I could just figure out what the fuck I’m going to do about my best friend, maybe my life would make sense again.

Fifteen by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
wow it's been a couple of days haha. I would have posted sooner but i've been so dead tired! Enjoy! And secondly, I've gone back an edited a certain characters dialect. Quincy was never supposed to portrayed as stupid.  I've written stories in the past where people have had accents and that is how I have written them.  It was never meant to offend anybody, and so I apologize for...whatever feelings i have brought about by writing that way. 

“Boys!”

I cram some more of Davey’s stuff into his suitcase.  It’s been a headache, getting them ready for this trip.  It’s their first one since they’ve been here, and they’re both so excited that they haven’t been able to tell me what they want to bring versus what they don’t.

I feel like I’m they’re damn mother.

Fuck, I’m as good as.

It’s okay though.  It’s working out, for everybody involved.  Me being here gives the boys the stability they’ve been seeking since their parents passed away.  Each day, Davey is starting to speak up more and more.   Soon, we’ll need to start looking into schools for him.  Francine says that we may want to look into a special school for children like him.

I talked to Justin about it.  Naturally, he wouldn’t hear of it.

“He’s not stupid,” he huffed last night after I put the boys down.  “He’s been through something, but he’s coming out of it now.  He can go to school like every other kid.”r32;

“We all know he’s not stupid,” I rolled my eyes as I began to pick up some micro machines from the floor, left behind by the boys earlier in the evening.  “It’s just that...he’s been through a lot.  Sticking him in a regular school right now could be bad for him.  He needs to take slow steps, you know? Be around people who understand him.”

“How is that supposed to make him stronger as a person?” Justin said, following me as I walked into the kitchen.  “If we baby him his whole damn life, he’ll be weak when he gets older.  He won’t be able to fight his own battles.”

I dumped the toys into a small bin I kept handy underneath the sink, and turned back to him.  Justin was leaning against the kitchen island, his arms crossed, his gaze defiant.  He didn’t want to budge, but neither did I.  “I think Francine would know what’s best at this junction,” I informed him.  “Come on Justin, I know this isn’t about him being weak.  It’s about taking a blow to your damn ego.”

“What? Come on!”

“It’s true!” I yelled at him.  “You just can’t stand the fact that your little brother isn’t as perfect as you’d like him to be.  It’s the same way with Austin, only...he can talk, so you just demean him to the core when he breathes the wrong way!”

It was silent after that.  I wasn’t surprised.  I’d proved my case, and he was quickly realizing it.  He knew he was making Davey’s issues about himself, that he was slipping back into the ego maniac I’d met that first day at my job interview.  

“Abbey...” he sighed and ran a hand through his hair.  “I just...I just want the best for them.  I want them to have...what I couldn’t have when I was their age.”

I stared at him long and hard.  I knew his feelings were stemming from someplace deep inside of him, that he still hadn’t revealed to me completely.  What Justin didn’t realize though, was that the boys didn’t care about the things he could give them.  They just wanted him to love them, to give them every part of him.  He was doing that with me, giving himself to me.  He seemed to have an easy time with it actually...especially in the bedroom.  But the boys...sometimes, when I would think he was on the brink of a breakthrough with either of them, he would retreat back into himself, frightened of the bond they’d began to form.  I didn’t understand.  “They don’t care about the material shit,” I huffed.  “They...”

“It’s not about material shit,” he grunted, cutting me off.  “It’s about them being civilized, acting like fucking human beings instead of transients.  I want them to be normal.”

Normal, as in the perfect representations of himself.  Perfect little Justin droids who had no personality.  The idea disgusted me.

I realized it was the first time in a great while that we were having a serious argument.

I wanted to stop, because I hated being angry with him, but my feelings about the subject were so strong, I couldn’t do it.  “Davey needs special education,” I told him, bluntly.  “I’m sorry Justin.  I am.  I’m sorry your parents were killed and that he was in the car with them.  I know it puts such a damper on your fucking agenda, having to live with his issues.  If you want, I’ll make sure to keep the situation on the down low.  Wouldn’t want you to be fucking embarrassed.”

He gave me a dark look.  “I have enough shit to deal with, without you shoving this in my face, Abbey.”

“It’s my job to shove it in your face,” I grunted.  “Or did you forget that, because you’ve been too busy trying to get me in bed?”

He wouldn’t look at me for a moment, and when he finally did, the most he could seem to do was glare at me and stomp off to his bedroom without another word.  It was asshole Justin at his finest, and I was fuming.  I wanted to burst into his bedroom and call him every vulgar name under the sun...

But at the same time, I knew there was more behind his emotions, so I decided to let him cool off.

He’d been acting strange since the day he played golf with Donald Trump.  I wasn’t sure why.  I asked him if the deal fell through the day after he played, figuring he’d be more up to discussing it with me.  He told me that it hadn’t, but he wasn’t exactly sure what was going to happen.  His eyes were filled with sadness when he told me that.

He was hiding something.

But I wouldn’t pressure him to tell me.  It wasn’t my place.  It was business and while I berated him for telling me that exact same thing at dinner the previous evening, I knew I really had no place discussing his work with him.  I wasn’t there every day, I didn’t know what it took to run a billion dollar corporation, so...I figured it was better to leave well enough alone.  Justin was brilliant, and I knew he would be able to solve his work issues without my help.

But now it’s Friday, and he hasn’t seemed to cheer up much at all, despite the fact that we’re leaving soon.  He just walked through the door a short while ago, on time, as promised.  When I said hello, he only forced a smile for me, and got right on his cell phone. I just don’t know what to make of his mood.  Are we even going to have a good time this weekend? Or is he just going to make my time and the boys time a living hell?

I’d set him straight in the car, but unfortunately, we’ll have company.  The kind of company that will make me slip my headphones on and stare out the window until we arrive at our destination.

I loathe the fact that Trace and his bitch girlfriend will be in close proximity to me for almost four full days.  I tried to get out of it, tried to tell Justin I wanted no part of it.  But then he handed me that song and dance of ‘oh, I want to spend time with you.’  It melted me at the core, and when he mentioned the boys...how he wanted to bond with them as well, I was done for.  It was so sweet, hearing him say that.  I couldn’t back down.  I knew I had to suck it up.  It was a real chance for the four of us to become something...more.  For Justin to open up to me completely, for the boys to be able to look up to him like they never had before.

Backing out of it, would have been a crime.

“Boys!” I yell again.

This time they come running in.  Davey’s lips are smeared with chocolate, and I frown.  He’s been in the cookie jar again, when I told him he wasn’t allowed anymore before dinner tonight.   “I told you no more, Davey,” I say with my hands on my hips.

“I just...I just wanted one more,” he explains bowing his head low.

How the hell can I be mad at him now?  

“Abbey I can’t find my iPod,” Austin groans.  “Did you see it?”

“You mean this?” I pull the thing out of my pocket and toss it on the bed.  “You left it in the bathroom yesterday,” I huff.  

“Sorry,” he says it softly, and takes it back.  

“Hey.”

Justin knocks on the side of the doorframe, and smirks a little as he begins to remove his tie.  “You guys almost ready? I’m going to change real fast and then we can go.  Quincy is waiting out front.  Abbey, those are my bags by the door right?”

I slam the last of the boys’ suitcases closed and zip it harshly.  “We’re ready,” I grunt.  “And yes, those are your bags.”

He cocks his head a little, confused.  “You...okay?” He chuckles.

“Austin, take Davey and go down to the car,” I say, ignoring Justin’s question.  “Go on, Quincy will be there waiting.”

Austin looks to me, then to Justin, and back to me once more before nodding a little, and dragging Davey out of the room by the hand.  I’m sure he can sense how annoyed I am tonight, and while I hate to bring that kind of an attitude around the boys, I just can’t help myself.  Between Justin’s mood, trying to prepare the boys, and knowing I’m going to have to be as nice as I can to Trace Ayala, I just don’t have it in me to calm down at this point.  

“Hey, what’s up.”  Justin steps into the room, the concern apparent on his face for the first time in days.  I think he’s only just realizing how stressed out I am.  His mind has been in another place for entirely too long.

“Nothing, I just want to get moving.”  I grab the boys suitcases and haul them off the bed.  “Go on, get changed.”

He stands in front of me and crosses his arms.  I roll my eyes.  “Move, Justin.”

“Not until you tell me what’s wrong with you,” he says quietly, and yanks the suitcases out of my hands, tossing them behind me on the bed.  

“You’ve just...you’ve just been in the crappiest mood since Wednesday!” I shout at him.  “I mean I know...I know we had a nice dinner and a nice walk but half the time I felt like you weren’t even there with me.  Now, you won’t talk to me, you won’t tell me anything.  The fucking phone has been shoved in your ear at all times! What the hell happened? I thought...I thought things were getting better.”

Damn, that felt good.

He stares at me, and then looks down at the ground, letting out a harsh sigh.  “I told you, it’s just business.”

“It’s affecting you here at home, so it must be something bigger than that,” I point out, with a strong, angry glare.  “You can’t fool me, Justin.  Not anymore.”

He looks off in the opposite direction and shakes his head.  “And if I tell you, then what? What’s it going to solve?  Not the issue, I can tell you that much.”

“Oh yeah,” I scoff.  “And hiding your issue from the world is a much better plan.  Just forget it, all right? I’m fucking sorry that I care.”

I start towards the bed, to retrieve the suitcases that have been strewn across it, but then he grabs me by the upper arm and gently pulls me back over to him.  I tug away harshly.  “Don’t,” I mutter.

“Look it’s...,” he pauses, sighs and looks down for a moment before returning his gaze to me.  “There’s an issue at work.  A big issue, with money.”

I just stare at him.  “Did the market crash or something?”

He chuckles.  “No, but if it had, I’d probably be taking it a lot better than this.”

He’s not angry. He just seems very...let down, as if somebody has ripped his heart out and stomped all over it.  I know it’s not me.  I mean, I’m still here, trying to help him through his problems.  But if it’s not me, then who?  “What happened?”

“You can’t say anything, to anyone,” he says softly, as he touches my face lightly.  “We’re still trying to figure out exactly what’s going on.”

I shake my head.  “No, I won’t say anything.”

“It’s...it’s Trace,” he says, his voice beginning to quiver.  “I had a meeting with my accounting team yesterday morning.  I never, I never checked into his accounts, you know? I never had to.  But I was tipped off, so I decided to have them run some reports on them.  Abbey....there’s almost a million dollars unaccounted for.  That money belongs to our investors.  I...I don’t know what I’m gonna fucking do.  I know how Trace is.  He’s too smart to make a mistake like that, so the only thing I can figure...is that he’s been skimming.”

His shoulders sag in defeat and he covers his face with his hands.  Jesus...I...I had no idea. I mean, this is huge.  I may not like Trace, at all, but I know how much his friendship means to Justin, and now he feels like Trace has deceived him in the worst way he possibly could.  “How can you find out for sure if it was him?” I whisper, rubbing my hands up and down his back as I pull him close to me.  

“I talked to the FBI today,” he whimpers.  “They have to do an investigation.  Trace doesn’t know.  He thinks everything is fine so...I need you to be with me this weekend, and try to act like everything is normal.”

“You mean he’s still coming?” I scoff.  “Jesus Justin!”

“What can I do!” He exclaims.  “He’ll know something is up otherwise.  They told me that he could flee the country if he catches on...fuck...”  He shakes his head again, like he can’t believe what he’s saying.  “How could I be this stupid? How could I not see it?”

“It’s not your fault,” I tell him, sternly.  “Justin, he’s your partner.  You trusted him, and...and you never know, it might be somebody else...”

“He’s been in trouble before.  I just didn’t know it,” he blurts out.  “He was granted immunity because he testified.  I found that out.  He...he and some other guy took like three million dollars from Merrill Lynch awhile back.”

“Why would he need to steal though?” I ask.  “He has money.”

Justin becomes very silent, as if he’s thinking about it very hard.  “I...I don’t know.  I’ve thought about that.  He could have some problem that I don’t know about...gambling or drugs, although I think I would know if it were drugs.  I just didn’t pay enough attention.  I hole myself up in my office most of the time, I let Trace supervise most of the operational aspects of the business.  I thought it was working out, and now...now I’m going to look like a fucking fool.”

“I’m sure if you just explain the situation, the investors will understand,” I say, sympathetically.

“No.”  He tugs away from me harshly and lets out a long, miserable sigh.  “They won’t understand.  Goldman Sachs...we’re supposed to be the most reputable investment firm in the world.  Our clients get pissed if they lose a thousand dollars through us, and now they’ve lost a million? Our good name...everything I’ve killed myself to change about the way the company works, is going to go right down the drain, and there’s nothing I can fucking do.  Nothing.  Even if I pay them all back out of pocket, they’ll never trust us again.”

I don’t know what to say.  One, he knows this business better than I ever will, and two, there’s nothing I can say or do that can fix what’s happening.  I feel terrible about that, and even worse that I got angry at him for not wanting to tell me.  Now that I know...I wish I didn’t.  The weekend has just turned into a horror show for the both of us, and I have no idea how we’re going to go about it normally.  “Justin...”r32;


“I’m gonna change,” he says, his voice full of misery.  “Just...meet me at the car.”

I let him walk away, staring at the empty open doorway for several minutes after he’s left me alone.  I try to think of the best thing I can do at this point, to make the situation any better.  I guess the only thing I can do is smile, hold my head high, and try to keep the boys and Justin isolated from Trace and Sydney whenever I can.

Yeah, because that’s going to be real easy.

I feel more pressure on my shoulders now more than ever, as I get into the elevator with the last of the suitcases, and make my way downstairs.  Frank, the doorman, greets me and wishes me a fun weekend in Southhampton.  I really like him.  He always knows what’s going on here, always makes small talk with the boys, especially Davey even though he doesn’t talk back. I make it a point to be pleasant and tell him to have a good weekend as well.  I pause right before I reach the limousine, knowing that Trace and Sydney must be inside of it by now.  Justin told me earlier today that they were meeting us here.  I have to turn my fake side on.  It’s hard to do...because I’m not a fake person.  

But I’ll do it for Justin.

Because now more than ever I realize that I’ve fallen in love with him.

“Miss Abbey,” Quincy smiles and takes the bags for me after he opens the door.  “Ready for some fun in the sun?”

I laugh a little.  “Lying on a sandy beach sounds great compared to cleaning up the kids toys.”

“Then you make sure you do that.”  He winks and smiles as he leans in a little closer to me.  “And you two behave yourself, if ya know what I mean.”

I stare at him, feeling my cheeks begin to burn.  

Obviously, he can tell something is going on between myself and his employer.

“Quince...”

“Ah, I gotta get the bags in the trunk.”  He says quickly, and motions me to get inside the limo. 

I just shake my head, knowing it’s a cop out, but given the circumstances of things, I know it’s better if I just do as I’m asked for now.  So I get in the car.  The door closes behind me.  I take a seat next to the boys, and glance out the window for a moment, before looking straight across the limo.

“Yeah, what? No...no I said I wanted a hundred shares...yeah, get it right you idiot...I’m not paying you to sit around with your thumb in your ass...”

Trace is on the phone.  I feel a wave of nausea sweep over me.  My gaze lands on Sydney next.  She’s snapping her gum and flipping through her issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine, large, gaudy sunglasses resting over her eyes, one arm draped over her daughter who is fast asleep at her side.  She doesn’t have a care in the fucking world as she sits next to her felon of a boyfriend.  She’s a pampered spoiled princess, and as long as she’s getting what she wants, I’m sure she doesn’t care about where the money is even coming from.

I wonder if she has any clue what’s going on.  If Trace would tell her what he’s doing.

“Abbey can we make a sandcastle?”

I turn to Davey.  He’s smiling just a little bit.  I reach out and run my fingers through his soft brown hair.  “Sure, anything you want.”  I smile, but it’s not forced.  Not for him.

“Can Justin help?”

I kiss his forehead.  “I’m sure he can.  Make sure you ask him though, okay?”r32;

He smiles a little wider.  “Okay.”

“Abbey, I want some fruit snacks.”

Austin takes my attention next.  “Coming up.”  I pull my backpack onto my lap and begin to dig through it.

“I want some too,” Davey says.

I just chuckle a little bit.  Shit, at least they’re keeping my mind off of the situation for the time being.  I dig and dig through my bag, find at least a dozen different toys and games that wouldn’t fit into the suitcases, but I don’t find my emergency snack pack.  I groan, knowing I probably left it on the kitchen counter.  Damn it, it took me two hours to balance out all the food categories in that thing too.  “Guys, I think that...”

“Hey.”  r32;

The limousine door has been opened again, and Justin is getting inside now, taking the last available seat right next to me.  He throws a plastic ziplock bag filled with snacks down into my open backpack and smirks a little.  “You forget that?”

“I...”  I stare down at the ziplock bag for several moments, before looking back up at him, my mouth hanging open slightly.  I’m shocked that he would have even taken the time to notice the stupid thing, or realize it was something that I needed for the weekend.  “How’d you know?”r32;

He leans in, without thinking, and kisses me gently on the lips.  “Because I know you.”

Everybody is staring at us.  Hell, Trace has even gotten off his phone call, due to that little move.

But Justin doesn’t get embarrassed, doesn’t pull away from me or act like he’s done anything different from what he normally does around me.  He remains completely calm,   drapes an arm around me, smiles at his “friends,” and then digs his blackberry out of his pocket with his free hand, beginning to focus on it’s screen rather than everybody else in the limo.

I glance at the boys.

Davey is giggling, his eyes bright and full of joy.

Austin looks like he doesn’t know what the hell to do with himself, and I feel like I’m going to get hit with the repercussions of this from him the next time we are alone.

But I won’t focus on that now.

Trace is staring at me as the limo pulls away from the curb.  It’s a warning look.  A look that’s telling me I don’t belong with Justin.  That I have no business being this close to him.  I’d tell him exactly how I feel, exactly how much of a scum bag I think he is, but then I remember what Justin told me.  That we have to be in this together, treat Trace normally so the investigation goes as planned.  I smile at him.

He grunts in disgust and looks away from me.  Soon he’s back on the phone again, and Sydney goes back to her magazine, as if nothing ever happened.

I like it better that way.

It’s a two hour car trip, and the boys begin to get restless within the first twenty minutes so I pull out their portable DVD player and make them watch a movie.  It seems to calm them down, and I’m glad because I could tell they were beginning to irritate Justin as he was doing some work on his laptop.  About an hour into our journey, Kristy suddenly wakes up and says that she needs to use the bathroom.  Sydney automatically makes Quincy stop at the first rest station she sees.

Wouldn’t want her little princess to be deprived of anything, of course.

It feels good to get out of the car and stretch.  The boys run around and chase each other while Kristy goes off to the restroom with her mother.  I let them run amuck, because there is another hour left of travel time, and I’m hoping that they’ll nap for the rest of it, since their movie is almost over.

“Hey, can you go in and get me a protein drink?  The kind we have at home?” Justin pops out of the car suddenly and hands me a twenty.  “I’m just...right in the middle of something on the computer.  I’m sorry.  Get yourself whatever you want.”

I look at him and sigh, but can’t help but smile.  “Yes, sir.”

He just rolls his eyes at me and shoots me playful smirk as he gets back into the limo.  That’s okay though.  It means his mood has calmed down somewhat.  That he’s pushing the situation out of his mind so we can have a good time.  I head into the convenience store and search for Justin’s Muscle Milk, surprised when I find it in the very last cooler.  The guy really does know his shit, that they’d have it here. But I figure, he must stop at this same spot every time he takes a trip to the Hamptons.  

“So, what was that about?”

I turn around slowly, pray it’s not Trace, even though I’d know his voice anywhere.  I stare at him for a moment, pick at the plastic seal on the bottle I’m holding in my hands.  “What do you mean?”

I walk past him, and begin to survey the juice selection in the next refrigerator.

“You know what I’m talking about.”

I feel him right behind me.  I don’t turn around.  I’m liable to slap him across his face if I do.  “If Justin hasn’t explained it to you yet, I’m not going to either.”

“You really think he cares about you, huh?”

I pull a couple of Apple Juices out for the boys and an iced tea for myself, before I start to walk down the aisle.  I can still hear him following closely behind me, his breath heavy, and full of anger.

“Hey, I’m talking to you.”

His hand is on my shoulder, and I whirl around, pushing him back harshly.  “Don’t touch me,” I snap at him.

“Look, he might be happy fucking you every night for now,” he tells me, in a low whisper.  “But it’s a temporary thing.  You better not think that you’re going to come first over business. I won’t have it.”

“Really? Hmph,” I stroke my chin, making myself look deep in thought.  “Last I heard, Justin could run his own life.”

“You’re the hired help,” he grunts in my face.  “Maybe Justin got caught up with you because you’re always around and you can’t afford to leave.  Hell, it’s probably better than him running around with these skank female executives he keeps meeting.  But you should understand that you’re nothing to him, you’re vapor.  Somebody he can get off with at night.  You could never really be with somebody like Justin.  You have no place in a group like ours.  You bring nothing to the table because you’re just...common, and you better watch your step, because I’m going to be there to put you right back in your place the minute you start to get too needy.  Got it?”

On the inside I’m in a rage, ready to kick his ass, tell him that I know exactly what he’s doing behind Justin’s back and that he’s going to go to jail once the FBI gets the evidence that they need.  But on the outside I’m calm, because I know I have to be.  I can’t let Justin down, because he’s counting on me.  “If that’s how you feel.”  I say it pleasantly as I shrug and smile at him.  That’s all I do, because I know it’s the one thing that will make him feel like an idiot the most.

“You stupid, stupid bitch.”

I make sure I laugh, and that I don’t turn back around as I go to pay.  He bangs his way out the door when I put the drinks down on the counter, and I know...I know I’ve gotten the best of him, even though he was certain that things would work out differently when he came inside to confront me.

Still, I’m shaking slightly now.  It was scary that he was so close to me, talking to me like that, threatening me.  I have to snap out of it though.  I won’t tell Justin.  I don’t want to think about what he’d do at this point, and with three children around, nobody needs to be swearing or attempting to punch each other.

“Miss, are you all right?”  The man behind the counter asks me as he rings up my items, as if he just saw that entire episode.

“Oh, yeah,” I chuckle lightly as I take the bagged items that he hands to me.  “I’ll be fine.”  I walk out and head back across the parking lot.  Trace is nowhere to be seen, and I’m sure he’s back inside the limo, arms crossed, gazing out the window like he’s the most pissed off he’s ever been.  Good.  I’m glad.

“No, Aus...like this.”

I look off to my right when I hear Justin’s voice, and I feel the smile break out across my face immediately.  Somehow, the boys conned him into getting out of the car.  Davey is off to the side playing with a toy car, and Justin is holding the soccer ball in his hands as Austin looks up at him, seemingly in awe.

“You gotta keep your legs way up and watch the direction of the ball.”  Justin tosses the ball in the air and bounces it from knee to knee, expertly, as if he plays soccer every weekend.  

“But I can’t do it that fast!” Austin pouts.

“You will, buddy,” Justin laughs as he catches the ball in his hands and tosses it back into Austin’s arms.  “We’ll practice okay? Together.”

“Really?”

Austin says it lightly, as he continues to stare up into the face of his older brother.

Then I see something I never thought I would see.

“Yeah, of course.  I’ll...I’ll teach you so you can be really good when you play.”  Justin crouches down and nods slowly.  “Maybe...maybe tomorrow you and me can take a walk on the beach or something.  Just us.”

“Why,” Austin whispers.

“Because.”  Justin looks down at the ground for a moment, before placing a hand on each one of Austin shoulders.  “I...I never get to talk to you, you know?”

Austin just nods his head a little, like he doesn’t know what to say.  I’d expect that of him though.  The fact that Justin is making an effort is just...so, so huge to him.  I feel the tears creeping up into my eyes, and it takes everything in me to hold them back.  Then I see Justin hold his arms open to him, and it takes Austin a moment or two, but he races into them, and wraps his arms around Justin’s neck, tightly, as he lifts him off the ground.  He strokes the back of Austin’s hair, and rubs his back, before his eyes open again...

And he finally sees me standing there.

“Go on,” Justin smiles as he puts Austin back down and ruffles his hair slightly.  “Go get settled with Davey.  We’ll leave in a minute.”

Austin takes his brother by the hand, and glances at me slightly, before flashing me that playful smile I’m so used to seeing on Justin’s face, and heading back to the car.

“Here.”  I approach Justin slowly and hand him his drink out of the bag.

Justin nods, and smirks slightly.  “Thanks.”

“What was all that?” I ask him softly, a knowing smile on my face.

He shrugs.  “I just...saw them with the ball and thought I’d show Austin some stuff, as long as we were stopped.”

“No more laptop?” I chuckle.

He laughs, and I can see the tears come into his eyes quickly before they begin float down his face, and I know his mind is focused solely on his brothers rather than on Trace or the business right now. “He needs me,” Justin says quietly, as he rubs the tears off his face.

“I know.  They both do.”

He comes close to me, and touches my face for a moment, before he pulls me to him.  “I need you, Abbey,” he whispers.  “I...” he trails off, like he can’t say it.

Part of me knows what he was about to say too.  But I won’t wait for him to say it, because I just...I just don’t know if he’s ready to.

So I kiss him instead, with everything in me, not caring that the boys, Trace and Sydney are most likely watching.  I just don’t care.

I love him.  I must.  Nobody has ever made me feel this way before...not even Braeden, as much as it hurts me to say that.  I’ve found somebody a step up from him, somebody that gets me through and through, and I get him.  I get him right down to the core, even if he hasn’t told me everything that plagues him inside just yet.

And I’m never letting him go.

Sixteen by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
sorry it's been a few days.  things have been kind of crazy around here.  I hope you enjoy :)

I knew Trace was sending Abbey dirty looks for the entire car ride, obviously pissed about the fact that I kissed her right before our journey started, and even more pissed that I made out with her at the rest stop for about ten minutes.  It was slightly embarrassing.  I could tell Abbey wanted to smack me for getting her riled up in front of the rest of the group.  We held the trip up and my brothers looked at me like I’d gone off the deep end when I got back into the limo, but I didn’t care.  I was happy with Abbey, I was bonding with my brothers, and the fact that I no longer trusted my best friend wasn’t so imminent in those moments.

After though, it continued to hit me like a ton of bricks.

I wanted to holler at Trace for treating Abbey like a piece of shit once we got here too, but with everything going on, I knew it was better to keep my mouth shut.  One wrong word out of my mouth could have caused him to do something drastic, and I promised certain people that I would be on my best behavior this weekend, act like everything was perfectly normal.

Thursday morning I went into work, and immediately called Alice, my head of accounting, up to my office.  She gets real nervous when I do that, because it’s rare that I ever need to contact her outside of our Monday run through and the weekly accounting  call I do from my car or office with her and her team.  

“Close the door,” I said to her softly, as I craned my neck around her body, making sure Trace wasn’t standing around outside.

She swallowed hard as she did as I asked, and clutched her clipboard tightly to her chest.  

“You’re not in any trouble,” I reassured her with a light smile.  “Sit down.”

“Oh,” she let out a nervous giggle and covered her mouth with her hand.  “Sir, I’m...I’m sorry.  You scared me.”

I nodded and waited until she sat down to ask the question.  “How fast can you pull up client account histories?”

She cocked her head to the side.  “It shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.”

“What about private files?” I said, looking down at my desk this time.  “Executive level ones that are password protected.  The ones that you never review?”

She was silent for several moments.  She knew whatever I was about to have her do was serious business, something she never had to deal with since I’d been named CEO.  “I’d...I’d have to get IT on it.  I might be able to get you the reports by the end of the day.  Sir, what’s going on?”

I sighed heavily.  “I need you to look into Trace’s files, public and private.  Check every account, every transfer, every trade, every share buy in.  Make sure all the funds balance.  Can you do that, without telling anybody?”

“I...” she trailed off and I knew I’d just scared the shit out of her.  “I, well, yes I can...”

“Then please...do it,” I whispered.  “Get it done by the end of the day.  Partner with Lawrence in IT.  He’s the best one.”

She just nodded, and got up from the chair.  “I’ll have something for you by four.”

“Thanks.”  I got up myself and walked her to the door.  “If you need to call, just dial my extension directly.  I don’t want anybody else to know about this, is that clear?”

“Of course,” she nodded again as I opened the door, and she walked out of my office without looking back.

I let the door close behind her and walked over to my windows, staring out of them for a while, trying to make sense of everything that was running through my mind.  Was it true? Was the person I trusted the most really stealing money from the company? And if that was the case, why? Trace had money, lots of money, and I had made sure of that.  He had no reason to steal, unless something really bad was going on outside of work that he’d neglected to tell me.  I tried to think, was it drugs, alcohol, gambling? None of those things made sense to me.  I knew Trace liked to drink, but so did I and he’d never been a sloppy drunk in all the time I’d known him.  And drugs, that just didn’t seem like a possibility either.  Trace had his head together, he was never late, and I spent so much time with him, that I would have figured out if he had a problem like that. Gambling? It could have been possible, but at the same time Trace was never a big gambler, except when it came to buying and trading stock for our clients and for himself.  

The word greed flashed itself across my mind.

I really didn’t want to accept that as the answer though.

But he’d been greedy the first time he embezzled money too, I was sure, even though I hadn’t known him back then.  Maybe Trump was right.  Once a thief always a thief...

I prayed he was wrong.  I wanted to prove to him that he was, so we could all move on with the deal comfortably.  

I tried to go on with the day as normally as possible, busying myself with international clients, and a few big buy in opportunities.  I didn’t see Trace much the whole day.  He only stuck his head through my door once, to tell me about some client that had just bought millions worth of stock from us.  I tried to be excited, but in the back of my mind all I could think was that he probably couldn’t be trusted with such a big account.  I made a note to myself to look into it, and transfer that account to one of my other partners if I could.

When four o’clock rolled around, I nearly forgot that Alice would be coming up to my office.  I was on the phone when she knocked and peeked her head in the door, and even though I was dealing with a pretty important client on the phone, I politely told him that I would call him right back, and hung up the phone.  “What’s going on?” I said, my voice quivering, my stomach doing flip flops as I sat there with my fist balled up on top of the desk.

She approached me slowly and took a seat as she slid a manilla folder across my desk.  “At first everything checked out,” she told me.  “All the public accounts line up.  He’s been taking the correct salary for all those.  Then...when we broke into the private file, things were different.  There’s been some...skimming.  Five hundred here, seven hundred there, and it seems every six months there would be a very large amount taken...five to ten thousand dollars.  It looks like it’s been going on for a few years, sir.  Even before you were promoted.”

I peered down at the paperwork, my eyes scanning the lines that Alice had highlighted as proof.  “How much?” I rasped.

“As of today...nine hundred and eighty thousand, and I have reason to believe that the number will grow by the end of the week.  Do you want to freeze his access to the network?”

I shook my head, partially because I couldn’t believe it, but also because I knew I couldn’t take action right away.  I had to call Mac, talk to the right people.  I wasn’t stupid.  I knew that the authorities were going to need more evidence, and so locking Trace out of the network was out of the question.  “No, that’s all I need from you,” I told her quietly as I shut the folder.  “Thank you.  I’ll let you know if there’s anything else.”

She got up from the chair and quickly walked over to the door.  I covered my face with my hands, sure she was about to leave, but then I heard her begin to speak again and I snapped out of it.

“Maybe it isn’t my place sir,” she whispered.  “But it...it seems very unlike him.  Mr. Ayala, I mean.  He’s always been very mindful of our department.  He’s even...caught mistakes that we’ve made with his public accounts, which would have benefitted him financially if he hadn’t said something.  If there’s any possibility that somebody else might be doing this, would you please look into it?”

Alice wasn’t a brown noser.  In fact, in the three years she’d been working with me, I never saw her buddy up with anybody.  Not even the people in her own department.  Hearing her talk like that about Trace made me even more confused.  It was like, she just couldn’t believe he’d do it.  That he was above it.  Maybe I would have believed her if it hadn’t been for the story that Trump told me.

But he did tell me.  He told me and Trace never had, even though we trusted each other with every important thing in our lives.  I just couldn’t shake that off.

“I will,” I reassured her softly.  “Thank you, Alice.”

When she walked out I got on the phone with Mac right away.  When I finished explaining my situation to him, he was more blunt with me than he’d ever been before.  

“It’s a global investment firm that you run, Justin,” he told me.  “That means the Feds will need to be involved.  Are you absolutely sure about this? It’ll probably get messy.”

“Look,” I muttered.  “I don’t like this any better than you do.  I don’t want to involve the FBI with this, Mac.  Do you know what kind of press I’m going to get? I just...I don’t have another explanation.  The money isn’t there, and it may not be half the value of this company, but it’s still a good amount of money that people have invested.  I need the situation rectified before it gets worse.”

“I’ll contact the right people,” he said softly.  “Don’t talk about this with anybody, Justin.  Got it?”r32;

“Yeah. I got it,” I grunted, and slammed the phone down.

It put me in a foul mood, the whole fucking thing.  It’s why I’ve been treating Abbey like crap, well, up until we headed here.  I didn’t even realize how much I’d been neglecting her, what an asshole I was turning into.  We went to dinner, had a great walk back to my place after, yeah, but she was right, most of me wasn’t with her then.  I was focused on too many other things, so I had no choice but to explain myself, even though I didn’t want to involve her.

I’m glad I did though.  She gets it, she understands what I’m going through and she’s here for me.  I don’t get it.  I don’t get why she sticks by me.  I haven’t been the best person.  Sure, I’m changing now, I guess, but still...I don’t feel that I deserve her compassion.

That’s what makes Abbey so great.  She’s kind, forgiving, and accepting of every type of person.  We’re like oil and water, but for some reason, we are starting to blend nicely. It’s a fluke that we met, and that we’re sort of together.  If that boyfriend of hers didn’t die over in Afghanistan she’d be happily married by now.  I’m sure of that.  I’d love to know more about the type of guy he was too.  What types of things he did for her that she loved.  I’m starting to realize that there’s so much about her that I don’t know.  I feel like I’ve been so busy pouring my soul out to her, and thrusting my brothers in her care that I haven’t really given her the chance to express herself.

I have to start talking to her more...about her, about what she loves, what she hates.

I mean, if I want her to stay with me.

And I do.

“Is this a hotel?” Austin asked me when the limo finally came to a stop in front of my beach house.  His eyes were wide as he gazed out the window, obviously impressed with the size of the place.

I decided to buy the house when I first received my promotion.  It was sort of a celebration gift to myself.  Looking back on it now I think I may have gone a little bit too over the top.  I mean, it’s not exactly a house.  It’s more of a mansion really.  It seems a shame that I only come up here in the summers, when it would probably be an ideal place to live all year round.  I don’t like winters in the Hamptons though.  Everything is barren and cold, and there’s always so much snow.  The city is better.  They clear the streets and I’m able to get out.  

“No,” I laughed and eyed Abbey who was staring out the window as well.  “It’s a house, buddy.”

“That’s what you call a house?” Abbey scoffed.  “Justin, it’s the size of a couple of city blocks.”

I just shrugged, felt my face burning a little.  “Well, there’s more room for everyone that way.”

“Maybe you should use the extra space to your advantage,” Trace grunted at me before pushing his way out of the limo.

Sydney snorted as she guided Kristy out with her.  I made sure to glare at her too, but she didn’t seem to care.  I knew she felt the same way as Trace about me and Abbey kissing, but at the same time it wasn’t any of her business.  Hell, it wasn’t Trace’s either.  He wasn’t even my best friend anymore.  He was a liar and a cheat, and it made me sick that I had to be within an arms length of him, and act like everything was completely cool.

The boys ran ahead of us once we were all out of the limousine, and raced each other up to the house.  It was apparent to me that Trace, Sydney, and Kristy had already made it a point to separate themselves from the rest of the group, but that was just fine with me.  It meant Abbey and I would have some much needed privacy, and I couldn’t have been happier.

“Boys!” she groaned loudly.  “Wait!”

“Let ‘em go,” I said to her softly, and pulled her hand into mine.  “They can’t get lost.”

“Yeah, right,” she grunted.

“Hey,” I huffed.  “Look, I know...the trip here wasn’t the best...”

“It’s fine Justin.”  We stopped walking then, and she turned to me.  “It...it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.  I mean, you and Austin...that’s something, you know?”

I shrugged, and looked down at the hand that was grasping hers, feeling myself start to smile once again.  “Yeah.”

I mean, it was something, Austin and I bonding.  At first I wasn’t going to get out of the car when we stopped at the store, but then the soccer ball hit my window, and I looked up to see Austin struggling with his moves.  It made me think back to when I was a kid, how nobody ever helped me practice.  I was always on my own.  Austin didn’t deserve that, he deserved better.  It made me toss my laptop to the side and get out of the car.

The best thing? The look on Abbey’s face when she caught me hugging my brother.  I knew she was proud, and well...I guess it made me feel proud too.  Proud that I’d connected with him, that we weren’t fighting for once.

If I can keep this thing going, it’ll be really great.

“C’mon,” Abbey giggled next and pulled on my hand.  “I want the grand tour, before I get lost myself.”

I did as she asked with a smile.  It didn’t take me long to show her around...because we never got through the tour.  The boys had discovered the vintage pinball machine in the living room, and were taking turns playing that while I showed Abbey the upstairs.  Trace and his counterparts were off in another wing as well.  So, when I showed her the master suite, and closed the door, she definitely got the hint.

“Justin...” she trailed off and laughed as I pressed her up against the wall.  “The boys.”

“That pinball will keep them busy for at least an hour or two,” I smirked and ran my fingers over her cheek.  “C’mon, you got me all hyped up earlier.  I can’t wait until tonight.”

She rolled her eyes.  “Really...you’re a pig.”

I leaned in closer.  “Oh yeah?”

“Yeah.”

But she barely looked at me when she said it.

So I kissed her.

I think it was the quietest I ever made love to a woman.  It was a beautiful thing though, very different for me.  Abbey stared into my eyes as I stripped her down naked.  I kissed her lips, her face, her neck and breasts as she yanked my shirt off of my body, pushed me down and climbed on top of me next.  She unbuckled my belt, yanked off my jeans and boxers...took me right there, right on top of the freshly made bed linens.  

We fucked good and hard, and I needed that from her.  I needed it so badly.  I needed to get all of my aggressions out of my system so I could guarantee Abbey and the boys a great weekend.  I think she could sense that too.  I think she expected me to do what I did, and even though she’d never admit it, I know she loved it too.  When we have sex, she seems to transform slightly.  She’s not the serious woman I’ve come to know.  She lets go, she’s a little wild, likes to push me around and let me bite her.  It’s fucking hot as hell.

I think...I think she’s the best I’ve ever had, and that’s so weird, considering I’ve dated and spent the night with some of the most beautiful women in New York City.  It’s like she’s this diamond in the rough...irreplaceable.

At this point, I don’t know what I’d do if I lost her.  That makes me want to hold her so close, keep her right next to me always, but I know how psycho that makes me sound, and I can’t...I can’t be that possessive.

It’s scary because I’m starting to realize I don’t think I could live without her.  I couldn’t tell her.  She might get the wrong idea.

She might think that I’ve fallen in love with her.

And I can’t fall in love.  I’m just...incapable of it, of giving up that much of myself to somebody else.  I think Abbey is the closest I’ve ever come to it, in fact.  This is as far as I go though.  I know that.  I love business, I love money. Period.  I care about her, but I can’t love her.

I’m trying to avoid that whole discussion with her for as long as possible, too.

Dinner was awkward last night.  There’s plenty of places to hide in the house, but when it comes to eating, there’s only one spot everybody can sit down.  Trace and Sydney sat at the table in silence as the boys and Kristy bantered playfully back and forth.  Abbey made dinner, even though I knew she hated cooking for my so called friends.  She kept a smile on her face though, for the kids.  I tried to eat quickly.  It was hard though.  Her meatloaf is fucking awesome, and I had two helpings.  She told me I was cute when I asked for more and patted my cheek with that soft gentle smile I’ve come to like so much.  I could feel Trace’s eyes boring into the side of my head while she did it too.

But I managed to ignore him.

Trace and Sydney skulked off to their designated wing of the house after dinner, dragging Kristy with them.  I knew she didn’t want to go.  The boys were getting settled in with a movie, and she wanted to watch too, but Sydney practically dragged her out of the room, and I wasn’t about to stop her.  Things were fucking weird enough as it was.

“Why can’t Kristy stay?” Austin pouted.

I looked at Abbey and I could tell she felt bad.  They were sort of bonding...Austin and Kristy.  Actually, I think she was the only kid he had sort of befriended since I moved him to the city.  Things were too complicated for them to be so close of course, but I couldn’t tell him that.

“You can play with her tomorrow,” I said, trying to supply a genuine smile for him.

He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms as the movie started to play, but didn’t mention it again.  It meant he didn’t believe my excuse, but didn’t feel like arguing with me.  I was fine with that.  I wasn’t in the mood to discuss it with him anymore, either.  

Abbey curled up against my chest as the boys watched the movie.  It was called Toy Story.  I felt weird because I found myself getting into it.  I liked the story line about Buzz  Lightyear and Woody, found myself laughing at the same things my brothers found amusing.  It hit me that I hadn’t watched anything so juvenile since I was about eight years old.  I was an overly mature child.  I stopped watching cartoons and children’s programming at an early age, because I was focused on other things...like how to get out of Memphis without being able to read that well.  

It occurred to me that a huge part of my childhood was missing.  That...I hadn’t really experienced a complete one, and it was the reason why it was hard for me to understand my brothers feelings at times.  It was crazy.  I mean, all it took was a Disney movie to make me realize that.  Well, that and Abbey too I guess.  Abbey made me think about who I was, what I was missing out on.

I pulled her closer to me, pressed my nose into her soft blonde hair and breathed her in.

We put the boys to bed once the movie ended, and I fell asleep next to her after we made our way to my bedroom.  I wrapped my arms around her naked, warm, silky smooth body.  I liked her naked next to me as we slept, even if we didn’t have sex.  It was comfortable for me, and she seemed comfortable with it, as long as I took my clothes off too.

That wasn’t an issue for me.

We got up early this morning, and took the boys to see some lighthouses around the area.  It was nice, peaceful.  There weren’t too many other tourists around invading our space, so we let the boys run around for a little while at each site.  At one point we stopped and had some lunch at a little place off the road.  They had some really good seafood.  The boys won’t touch the stuff though.  Luckily they had hot dogs to compensate.  Abbey said she liked it there because the staff spoke English.

She’ll never let me live that down.

“Justin.”

I toss the ball up in the air and catch it as we walk along the private section of beach in the front of my property.  The sun is setting now, we had dinner about an hour ago.  Trace took Sydney and Kristy somewhere, so it wasn’t as awkward as last night’s meal.  I haven’t spoken to him all day, but that’s fine.  At some point though, I need to talk to him, to try and get him to talk to me about this on his own.  It’ll be easier if he just confesses, and I know that.

But Trace is stubborn, and crafty.  He won’t give in easily.

“Yeah?”

Davey didn’t feel like coming down to the beach tonight.  He barely talked, just wanted to cuddle with Abbey, so I said I would take Austin, so she could spend a quiet evening with Davey on the couch.  I think he’s tired, that’s all.  Abbey seemed pretty worn out from today too though, so it worked out.  I promised Austin a walk on the beach on the way up here, just us, and now is a good a time as any.

“Is...Is Abbey your girlfriend now?”

I stop walking, and chuckle a little as I drop the soccer ball down on the sand and step on it with my right foot.  “I...well, we’re...you know...”

“You guys were kissing,” he huffs and cross his arms.  

He’s not dumb, and I shouldn’t pretend that I can fool him.  At the same time though, I can’t even answer that question myself.  I don’t know what Abbey and I are.  We’re...having fun I guess.  I care about her.  Does that make us a couple? I have no clue, and I’m not ready to give us that title.  “We’re figuring it out,” I tell him, as if he’ll completely get it.

“I want her to be your girlfriend,” he says softly.  “You’re...you’re better when she’s with you.”

He sounds entirely too mature.  The kid is twelve.  He’s not supposed to care about romance or who I’m sleeping with.  I see myself in him.  Myself at his age, except he’s a hell of a lot more educated than I was.  “Well I like being around Abbey,” I say with a small nod.  “Are you okay with that?”

He shrugs.  “I love Abbey,” he says quietly.  “She reminds me of mom.”

I breathe in slowly and exhale.  It hits me hard, what he said, right in the heart.  It was the last thing I expected him to say, the last thing I wanted to hear.  I don’t want to compare Abbey to my mom, because...it’ll just depress the hell out of me.  “Abbey isn’t mom,” I tell him slowly.  “Okay?”

He hangs his head low.  “I...I just...she’s gentle like mom was, that’s all.”

I continue to walk along the beach and kick the ball out in front of me.  Austin follows suit, doesn’t talk, runs forward to kick the ball around too.  It’s weird with us.  Suddenly, we understand each other more than I ever thought we would.  I realize we’ve butted heads all this time because we’re exactly alike, not because he has an issue.  I was an idiot for treating him like he had one.  I was an idiot for doing a lot of the things I’ve done to him.  “Are you happy here, Austin?”

He stops and picks up the ball, tucking it under one arm as he turns to face me.  “I have to be here,” he whispers.

“Yeah,” I shrug.  “But...are you okay? Are you happy? I want to know if you’re not so I can fix it.”

“I miss mom and dad,” he states.  “I miss Memphis, but...things are better....than they were, and Davey is happier than he was before too.  I’ll be okay.”

We continue to walk along after he tells me that.  At one point I drape my arm over his shoulders, and he doesn’t pull away.  It means he’s comfortable being alone with me, for the first time ever.  “Remember that box you threw down into mom’s grave,” I ask him suddenly.

He’s very quiet for a while as we continue to walk.  “Yeah,” he finally croaks.

“You wanna tell me what it was?”

“It was a picture of you.”

I stop walking and so does he.
r32;“Why?” I rasp, not quite believing what he’s just told me.

“She always said that she hoped you would come back one day,” he says to me slowly, not quite meeting my gaze.  “I just thought if...I did that, she would always have you with her.”

I don’t want to cry.  I won’t, because I’m his older brother and I have to set an example of how to be strong.  I’m a wall street giant who doesn’t succumb to his emotions.  I bite my lip, because I’m about to sob.  

“I know you miss them,” Austin says to me sadly.  “You don’t have to say anything, Justin.  I didn’t get enough time with them either.”

He holds his hand out to me.

I don’t think, I just take it.

I want things to be different.  I want to be everything to him, somebody he can look up to and count on.  I have to be.  I can’t let him spiral down anymore, keep getting into fights, getting suspended.  That’s all gotta end, because he’s a good kid.  He deserves better.

I really...I really love him, and Davey too.

I think they’re the first people, since my parents, that I’ve allowed myself to love.

I feel another part of me come alive inside.

The sun sinks lower into the horizon, and it starts to get darker.  I tell Austin we should probably head inside, and he agrees.  We slowly walk back up to the house, still holding hands.  He starts talking to me, telling me some joke about a bear and a horse, and I try to find the sense in it, laughing at him when I can’t.  He asks me if I’ll come to his first soccer game, and I promise him that I will.  When we reach the front porch, he hugs me quickly before racing inside, calling out Davey’s name.

My gaze lingers after him, and then I hear the sound of somebody clearing their throat off to the left.

Trace is sitting on the porch with a beer, staring at me with the most disgusted look on his face.  I feel my smile fade away to nothing.

I guess I have to deal with this situation now too.

“There something you wanna say?” I grunt at him.

He puts his beer down on the wooden floor, before rocking himself a little in the rocker he’s seated in.  “I just hope you know what you’re doing, that’s all,” he whispers.

“I know what I’m doing,” I say, trying not to sound angry as I take a seat next to him.  “But lately, man, I feel like your head is in another place.”

He frowns and grows a little bit distant.  “I’ve felt like something has been off with you since you went off with Trump,” he confessed.  “You barely look at me anymore.”

I’m quiet.  I don’t know what to say to him, because whatever I say will hint at the truth.  “I feel like you’re going through something,” I tell him.

He crosses his arms.  “Why the hell would you think that?”

He’s defiant, defensive, a sure fire sign that he’s hiding something.  “I’ve known you for a long time.  I can just tell.”

“The only thing that’s bothering me, is this shit with Abbey,” he snaps.  “Really, J? I mean...what the hell? You act like you’re sick in fucking love with this girl, making out with her like some dumb kid.”

I laugh, and rub my face with my hand.  “You’re wrong,” I tell him.  

“No.”  He gets up from the chair.  “I’m not, and if you get distracted...”

“You know, it’s really none of your fucking concern anyway,” I snap at him, causing him to stop mid sentence and stare at me.  “I don’t say shit to you about Sydney, and I can’t fucking stand her.”

He scoffs.  “Well that’s news to me.”

“Yeah,” I nod.  “Well now you know.”

“What the fuck ever, Justin.” He pushes himself up harshly from the chair.  “Do whatever you want, but don’t bring this shit to work.”

I don’t say anything, don’t look at him as he storms back into the house and slams the door closed behind him.

That went well.

Seventeen by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Short but good, I hope, lol.
Seventeen

From the moment I stepped out of the limousine, I immediately realized what it meant to be as rich as Justin.  His “beach house” is really more of a mansion set up on a private section of beach.  It could house a family of twelve without much strain, and I just can’t fathom why Justin would need a house so large when he only comes up here in the summers.  I guess it must be an investment, owning the property.  One day when he’s old he’ll have all this place to pass on to Austin, Davey, and...if he has any, his own children.  Real Estate is a good investment, so I’ve heard.

But what the hell do I know about money?

I sit on the beach, knees drawn up to my chest, smiling as I watch Davey put the final touches on the magnificent sand castle that Justin helped him build.  Justin and Austin are out, knee deep in the ocean water, splashing each other and laughing.

It’s been a good weekend, for the most part.

Trace and Sydney have avoided us like the plague since we got up here, aside from that first night at dinner.  It doesn’t bother me in the least.  It’s been better without them hovering over us.  I can tell it’s still bothering Justin though, despite his suspicions about Trace stealing money.  A small part of him is damaged because of his falling out with his best friend, and I can’t blame him for feeling this way.  The boys have been keeping his spirits up of course.  They’ve really bonded this trip, out of nowhere.  It’s like, all of a sudden Justin wants to play with them, to teach them things.  I’m not exactly sure what brought it on...but it shouldn’t matter.  The point is, when we get back to the city the boys will have somebody besides me to look up to, to confide in.  They need that.  They need a family lifestyle.

I mean, who knows how long I’ll be around?

I hate to think that way.  I love the boys, and Justin...well, I know I care about him too.  I can’t tell him that I love him, even though I know I do.  He isn’t the type to fall in love.  Deep inside I just...I know that.  I don’t want it to upset me either.  I shouldn’t be ready to fall completely in love with him.  Maybe I’m overreacting and I need to tone my feelings down.  How can I though, when he’s always all over me, touching me, feeling me up when his brothers are out of the room or aren’t paying attention?  Then his lips...they’ll land so gently on my skin, kiss me tenderly, and I fall apart.  All I see is him and his smile.  All I feel is his protective embrace around me, and I fall in love with him completely.  Maybe I’m a pushover.

Maybe this is getting dangerous.

I can’t help myself anymore, though.  I like being with him, as annoying and childish as he can be at times.  I want to stick by him right now, because...when all this shit comes out about Trace, he’ll need somebody he can count on to get him through it.  That’s me.  There’s nobody else in the whole damn city that can understand him like I do, and I know that.  

So I’ll push my anxieties to the side for the time being.  Just be thankful that I’m here, that he’s here, and that the boys are doing really well for the first time since I’ve been around.

“Hey baby.” Justin runs up from the water and plops down beside me, draping a wet arm around my shoulders.  

“God, you’re slimy.”  I groan, trying to pull away from him.  He doesn’t allow it, he pulls me down onto him as he leans back into the sand, laughing when I protest.  “Justin I just oiled myself for sun tanning!” I whine.  “Now I have sand and sea grime all over me.”

He plants a hard kiss on my mouth.  “Hey, I’ll oil you up again.  I have no complaints.”

I roll my eyes and succeed in pulling away from him this time.  “I’m sure you’ll attempt to do more than that, and there are children around.”  I shake my head and run my hands through my hair and down my body, trying to get most of the sand off, only stopping when I feel him behind me, his strong hands massaging my shoulders.  My eyes close.  It feels so damn good, that I can’t be annoyed with him anymore.  Moments later I feel him rubbing the tanning oil on my back.  “Who taught you how to be a romantic,” I chuckle, opening my eyes slightly to make sure the boys are far enough away where they can’t hear us.

“Oh it comes naturally,” he says, with spunk in his voice.  “Like my good looks.”

“Asshole.”

He just laughs, continues to massage my back and shoulders with the oil, sneaking kisses on the sides and back of my neck every few seconds.  It really is the perfect day.  I don’t want tomorrow to come.  Tomorrow is Monday which means Justin will start to get back into the work mindset, and I have no idea what kind of transition it will be for us on Tuesday when Austin goes back to school and our lives begin to get back to normal.  It scares me to think we may drift apart slightly.  I mean, maybe we won’t.  Justin is better, more aware of peoples feelings...right?

I mean, yeah, he has to be, after everything that’s gone on.

“What was he like?”

He stops massaging my shoulders and pulls me back against him.  I look up into his face, slightly confused.  “Who?”

“You know...Braeden.”

I pause, not quite sure how to react.  It’s weird that he would ask, but a little bit sweet at the same time.  I didn’t think he really cared, up until this point.  At the same time though, it’s not my favorite topic of discussion, especially with Justin.  I mean, it’s usually weird to talk about the previous relationships you’ve had with your boyfriend, if we had labeled what we are anyway.  “Why?”

He shrugs.  “I’m just...trying to get a better feel for you, that’s all.”

I sit up a little and turn my body slightly so I can face him.  “Why would talking about him help you get a better feel for me?”

He looks down at the sand and I know he must feel foolish.  It’s a legit question though, at least I think so.  Shouldn’t Justin be trying to find out more about me on his own? I don’t want him to compare himself to Braeden, that’s for damn sure.  Braeden is irreplaceable.  Justin seems to need instructions on how to be a good boyfriend.  It’s like...he’s never had to be one before.  It doesn’t surprise me, but at the same time it makes me sick to my stomach.  

“I...I just thought it would,” he mumbles.

“That’s the wrong way to go about it, don’t you think?” I say to him coldly, even though a big part of me doesn’t want to.

He just shrugs.

“The kids are getting too much sun,” I say quickly as I push myself to my feet.  “I’m taking them in to cool off.”

“Ab, come on,” he whispers.  “Don’t run off.”

“I feel fucking awkward right now,” I huff as I begin to gather the things I brought out here with me.  “You just...I don’t know.  You should think before you talk, you know?”

“I thought you were comfortable talking about this with me,” he says.

“That doesn’t mean I need to share the intimate details of...the relationship I had with him.”  I stuff my backpack full and sling it over my shoulder.  “Just forget it, okay? It’s fine.  I’m not mad.”

“You are,” he laughs sadly.  “Don’t fucking lie.  I can tell you are.”

“Boys!” I call out quickly and motion them to come over to where I’m standing, before I turn back to Justin.  “I’m over it,” I grit out.  “And it’s not like you tell me about your parents, so don’t act like I’m the only one who hides things either.”

“My parents are different,” he says, the look in his eyes getting colder as he stares back at me.

“It’s the same thing,” I point out.  “You know that.”

“Abbey! Abbey!”

Davey clings to my side and Austin dances around me with a giant sea shell that he’s found.  I ruffle Davey’s hair and force a smile as I stare back at Justin.  The look on his face is telling me that he knows we can’t discuss this anymore right now, but that the conversation isn’t done either.

Great.  This should make for an interesting evening in bed.  

I could sleep on the couch.  I should try.

But I’d be wasting my time.

Justin can’t sleep without me these days, it seems.  I know he’d come down, con me into getting into bed with him, so it’s not worth the effort to try.  I hope that he lays off me for the rest of the afternoon though.  I need to think, to sort things out in my head.  I need to answer the question: where is this relationship going?  I can’t afford to get hurt at this point.  I can’t.  The thought that Justin and I are just having some fun makes me cringe.  I know he cares but...how much? And is he willing to bring our relationship to the next level, or is he fine with the way things are?

I for one, can’t stay fine with the way things are for long.

“Let’s go in boys.”

They moan and beg me to let them stay out for just a little while longer.  I can feel Justin staring at me too, and when I look at him, I can tell how confused he is right now.  But I’m not going to stick around and have a fight with him.  I just tell the boys that they’ll have another chance to run around on the beach tomorrow morning, before taking Davey’s hand and leading them away.

Justin doesn’t follow me.  Normally he would.  Normally he’d try to fix things.  But not today.  I glance back over my shoulder as Davey breaks away from me and chases his brother back up to the house.  I see Justin sitting there, on the beach, throwing rocks into the water.  He’s thinking.  I know he is.  I should go over there.  Talk to him.  But I’m just...I’m just not in the right frame of mind.

I settle the boys at the table in the kitchen with some big thick puzzle pads and snacks to keep them busy, telling them I’m going to shower and to be good.  I open the door to the first bathroom that comes my way, certain it will be empty. There must be at least twelve bathrooms in this place, not counting the ones that are attached to all the bedrooms.  

But this bathroom isn’t empty.

The water is running and Sydney is bent over the counter, snorting a substance that I’m sure is Cocaine up her nose with a rolled up bill.  I stand in the doorframe, silent as I watch her do it.  She fucking disgusts me.

“Oh...” she trails off when she notices me standing there, and quickly shoves the rolled bill into her pocket.  “You should knock, you know?”  

I cross my arms.  “There’s kids in this house.  I can’t believe you.”

“Oh come on, Abbey.  Get a grip,”  she rolls her eyes and shuts the water off.  “Don’t stand there and try to pretend you’ve never done anything wrong in your life.”

I shrug.  “I haven’t shoved drugs up my nose, that’s for sure.”

She glares at me.  It’s an angry, hateful glare, and I know she wishes I would just disappear.  It would make her time a hell of a lot easier, I’m sure.  “Miss goody two shoes,” she sighs.  “Guess I should have known you’d react this way.  This stuff is harmless.  It’s like drinking.”

I just laugh. What a fucking lie.  “I better not see it around the boys, and you should watch your daughter too.”

“They’ll be fine.  My God.  Kristy’s been around it her whole life.  She knows better than to take any.”

What a great role model.  Fuck, I wonder if Trace does the stuff too.  It would explain a lot...like why there is money missing.

I know I can’t get into this anymore with her.

“I’ll just use another bathroom.”

I turn to walk out, but then I feel her grab me, and two seconds later I’m pinned up against the wall.  I try to struggle, to break free of her grasp but she’s just so much stronger than I am, and I have no idea why.  She has this crazy look in her eyes.  It’s predatory, like she knows I’m weak.  Like she can see it deep down inside of me.  “Don’t mention this to anybody, Abbey,” she whispers.  “I’d hate to think what could happen to you.”

I shove her off of me, but she’s letting met his time.  “Are you threatening me?”

She just laughs, and walks off.

I’m shaking.  I’m shaking and I hate that so much.  I feel like I can’t talk to Justin about it either.  I don’t want to start anything, and besides...Sydney is harmless.  I’m sure if I had to, I could kick her ass.  Yeah.  I took some martial arts when I was a kid...

God, who am I kidding?

The rest of the afternoon is unsettling.  Sydney and Trace decide to hang out in the living room with they boys, myself and Kristy.   They don’t say a word to me. I think they’re here for the sake of the kids, which is good, but I’m really uncomfortable around them, especially since Justin isn’t around.  He never came back inside.  

Fuck, maybe I shouldn’t have been so harsh.  Maybe I should have talked to him.

I just...I just can’t though, and he can’t seem to talk to me either.

I let it go, start to make dinner because it’s the only thing that will take my mind off the afternoon and how crappy I feel.

Justin rejoins our group just as I put dinner on the table, but he doesn’t look at me.  He looks a little drained, and I’m sure he spent the entire day thinking about how he fucked up with me along with everything else that plagues him.  I feel like shit.

Our perfect little vacation is going down in flames, and I’m not so sure who’s fault it is anymore.

Trace and Sydney graciously leave me to clean up their dishes, but I don’t protest, because I’m too confused about Justin to care about their petty bullshit anymore.  I tell the boys to get into their pajamas, and they run off, leaving Justin and I alone in the kitchen.  I make my way here and there, clearing off the table, putting dishes in the sink, and emptying the dishwasher.  After a while, I hear Justin moving around behind me, and when I glance over my shoulder I realize he’s trying to help clean up too.  It makes me smile for a moment or two, before I remember what’s been going on.  “You don’t have to.”

He shrugs, takes the plates in his hands and clatters them into the bottom of the sink.  “Why? You’re not my damn slave,” he snaps.  “You’re cleaning up everybody's mess and you don’t ask me for help.  You can ask me, Abbey.  I’ll help you, okay?”

I huff.  “Justin...don’t start, okay?”

“Start what.”

He runs the water.  Clearly, something is troubling him, and he’s trying to get me to talk to him about it the only way he knows how, by drawing attention to himself.  Fuck, he and Austin are exactly alike.  “I’m not mad,” I tell him.  “Can we just...forget about earlier? I don’t want us to end this weekend on a sour note.  Not when we have so much shit waiting for us back at home.”

He turns around.  The water is still running, but he doesn’t seem to care.  “You just...you just expect me to talk about my parents!” he yells.

Well, there’s something.

“I don’t expect you to talk about anything!” I yell back, and storm across the kitchen to shut the water off.  “And you shouldn’t expect me to either!”

He crosses his arms, and laughs a little.  “Maybe I wouldn’t have to ask if you weren’t so damn hard to crack.  You’re so closed off sometimes, and you don’t even realize it.”

I narrow my eyes at him.  I mean, what the hell? Me, closed off with him? I don’t get it.  “How the hell am I closed off with you, Justin? I spend every night in bed with you...every afternoon after work...I’m with you, hanging out with you...”

“I know nothing about you, or your past,” he grunts.  “This isn’t about sex or cuddling on the couch, or about the boys.  That’s what you do Abbey, you push everything about yourself out of the way...you focus on other people.  I’ve taken you to some of the best restaurants in New York, and you haven’t really been that impressed.  You gotta help me out sometimes, girl. I’m fucking clueless.  I mean, how...how the hell is this supposed to work out if I don’t know what makes you happy?

I shake my head roughly.  I hate being analyzed.  I especially hate being analyzed by him because...I realize he’s probably the only person who can tear into this last layer inside of me.  The layer that protects me from the rest of the world.  The one that is secretly...waiting for Braeden to come back to me, even though he never will.  “What’s supposed to work out, damn it?”

Fuck, now I’m sobbing.

He stares at me.

“You don’t...you don’t even put a label on us,” I sniffle, and wipe at my eyes gently with the back of my hand.  “I don’t even know if we’ll be together next week, or next month, because you don’t get that involved.  We sleep together, you go to work, and I take care of the boys.  Sometimes we go to dinner, and that’s it.  There’s no relationship.  You’re not my fucking boyfriend, okay?”

He balls his fists at his sides, and I see his face changing from pink, to red, to deep purple before he takes a large breath.  “I...who said that I don’t want to be!”

Then it’s just quiet, for the longest fucking time.

“My dad didn’t marry my mother, until Austin was born,” he says quietly.  “They never kissed or held hands...nothing like that.  When she got pregnant with him, I remember them having this big fight, her saying he didn’t want to commit.  She was going to leave him,” he pauses and laughs sadly.  “So he married her.  But I knew it never meant as much to him as it did to her.  I’ve never...I’ve never been committed to a woman before.  I don’t...I don’t really know what I’m doing.  The rest of them, they’ve been so damn easy to please.  Then you...you’re just...you drive me fucking nuts because you don’t care where I take you or what I can buy you. You just want me. I don’t...I don’t get it, Abbey.”

It’s a breakthrough, and I can definitely say I’m shocked.  I know he must have been thinking about this all day.  He’s probably been ashamed of how his parents lived for his entire life, and I seriously doubt he ever told anybody.  It was hard for him to do this tonight.  I know it was, and I can’t be mad at him anymore.  “I’m sorry,” I whisper.

He steps up to me, and I can tell his eyes are glossed over with tears.  He touches my face, and kisses me a little.  “I don’t know how to make you happy,” he whispers.  “I’m an idiot, and definitely not the best choice for you, even though it seems that way on the outside.”

I kiss him back gently, and put my hand on his chest, being able to feel his heart beating furiously, just like it was that night we danced together.  “We used to go fishing,” I whisper, not being able to look at him as I say the words.  “In the summer, when it was nice.  Fishing and then sometimes we would go hiking too.  I loved that.  I loved just...being with him.  I’m a simple person, Justin.  I know you’re used to a different type of woman.  Maybe...maybe we shouldn’t be doing this...”

“I want to do this,” he says, looking so deep into my eyes that I can feel my heart begin to thud inside my chest because of them.  “I want to be with you.  Labels...labels are hard for me, though, you know?”

I nod softly.  “But we can’t just...be like this forever,” I tell him, even though it hurts me to do it.  “Sooner or later we’ll hit a dead end, you know?  I don’t...I don’t want to lose you because...I really care about you.”

“Then...be with me,” he says, his voice quivering.  “I want you to be with me.  I want to take you off payroll.  I’ll take good care of you, you know?  You won’t have to worry about anything...you or the boys.  We’ll be good together, the four of us.”

“Justin...”  I sigh and pull back from him slightly.  It all sounds wonderful.  It sounds like he’s breaking open to me, completely now for the first time.  But I know how hard things might get, and I can’t afford to be trapped in a situation where I’m miserable, where I never see him or talk to him.  “I just...I just don’t know.”

“Are you scared?”

I look back up at him.  He figured it out all on his own, and I can’t lie to him.  “Terrified.”

He runs his fingers through my hair, smoothing a piece of it back behind my ear.  “I know I’m not...the best person sometimes,” he whispers.  “But I think...I think I deserve a shot at this, and I think you need to let yourself go and try it too.”

“I just...”

“Hey, I know how hard this is for you.  I know...I know you don’t like to talk about him, but I can tell how much you loved him.  Hell, you still love him, and that’s okay but, I want...I want to help you through it as much as I can.  I want you to be happy again, completely.  You deserve to be.”

I can’t say anything because I know I’ll start crying like a baby if I do.  Instead, I just kiss him, and before I know it, we’re back in his bedroom, our kissing getting hotter and heavier as our clothes begin to fly off piece by piece.  Fuck, I don’t even know what the boys are doing, if they’re in bed or doing what they’re supposed to be.

But damn it, I just don’t care.

The sex is the best we’ve ever had.  It’s more sensual than any other time.  Justin takes his time, kisses me, takes me all in with his lips, his hands and his body.  They all work together like some big beautiful machine.  I barely do anything.  I’m too overcome with emotion tonight.  We do it once, twice, and again, before collapsing against each other in a sweaty embrace.  He holds me longer than he normally does tonight, stares into my eyes, and smiles just a little bit.

“Abbey.  Will you be with me?”

It’s a question this time, and there’s so much hope in his voice, like it means everything to him.  No, technically it’s not a label for us, but it’s a start, and I’m filled with so much love for him right now, that I can’t say no.  

“Yeah.”  I whisper, my smile growing wider as I say the word to him.

He laughs out loud, and showers me with kisses all over my body, like I’ve just made him the happiest man alive.  Somehow I feel at peace.  Like I’ve started to turn over a new chapter of my life.  One that doesn’t include Braeden in my thoughts anymore.  I mean, Justin is trying to be better for me...for us, and I know the only way I can repay him is to put Braeden out of site and out of mind for good.

I love you baby
. I think to myself as Justin cradles me in his arms.  But now I have a reason to say goodbye.
Eighteen by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's been a few days.  Been busy...hope you enjoy :)

It’s been really hard coming down off the high I was on all weekend long.  Even though shit was going on at work that sent chills down my spine, I just couldn’t seem to dwell on it for long once we arrived in the Hamptons.  Abbey and I...we made this connection there.  It was like, she woke me up, made me want to be close to somebody for the first time in my life.  She showed me that I had to be the one to make the effort.  That I couldn’t compare myself to her dead boyfriend.  She wasn’t like the others.  Abbey was special, a different kind of woman, and I had to realize that.  I sat on that beach after she walked away from me and thought about that for a long time.  I knew...I wasn’t ready to say those words.  That I loved her.  Maybe I was starting to feel it, even though a big part of me was denying that fact.  I just wasn’t sure.  What I did realize was that I wanted to be closer to her after all.  I wanted to take care of her.

So I told her that.

And she’s letting me.

I conferenced Monday morning, while Abbey and Sydney took the kids down to the beach for one final run around.  It meant I was trapped in the study with Trace for over two hours.  He didn’t say much, and it was strange for him.  Usually during my Monday run through he makes it a point to talk for at least fifteen minutes about ‘upholding company policies’ and goes on to highlight everything that each department is fucking up.  I’ve always liked that.  It’s taken a lot of the pressure off of me, makes people think he’s more of a jerk than I am, which is saying a lot since I’m pretty much a tyrant.  I make my employees afraid.  They don’t dare speak up when I’m talking, and they never question a policy or procedure that I’ve laid down.  In the past few years I’ve fired people for less, and they know that.

But the most Trace talked about on Monday was boosting profit, and that was it.

It left the floor open to me, and I found that Trace was taking a lot of notes while I was talking and I wasn’t sure why.  I was only highlighting most of the shit that he would have said anyway.  He seemed nervous though, very uneasy.  Looking back on it now, I’m not even sure if he was writing about anything that had to do with the damn conference call.  That would probably anger me more, if I wasn’t so sure he’s been dicking me over for the past couple of years.  He’ll need all the notes he can when he gets his day in court.

Only, he’ll lose.  He’ll lose everything.

A couple of FBI agents had come to see me on Friday, but all they really told me was to sit tight while they conducted their investigation, and not to say anything to anybody about it.  That probably included Abbey too, but since I trust her with...everything in my life right now, I couldn’t hold it back.  She more than proved herself this weekend though.  She did a great job pretending that everything was the same as always, and didn’t treat Trace any differently than normal.  Not that it was hard for her to act that way, since she can’t stand him in the first place.

Tuesday morning, back at work, one of the agents was waiting for me beside Cheryl’s desk.  I quickly closed the door to my outer office, because Trace’s door was open, and he was on the phone, yakking away to some client of his. The last thing I wanted was for him to overhear the conversation that was about to take place.

“Mr. Timberlake.”  The agent stood up and shook my hand.  

Cheryl didn’t so much as glance at me, and I was thankful that she decided to mind her own business.  “Let’s talk inside,” I nodded as I returned his handshake firmly.  “Hold my calls,” I told Cheryl.

“Of course, sir.”

I led the way into my office, and made sure to close the door firmly behind me before offering the agent a seat at my desk.  I slowly made my way over to the windows once he sat down and stared out of them, terrified of what he was about to tell me.

“The evidence is more than circumstantial,” Agent Wilcox said softly.  “We’ve been monitoring the accounts, and...there was more money taken this weekend.  In total, about 1.5 million.  We’d like to take action, make an arrest.  The warrant has already been issued, Mr. Timberlake.  I just wanted to give you the benefit of being the first to know about this.  We discussed it, and didn’t want to cause anybody alarm by bursting in and hauling him away”

I sighed harshly and covered my mouth with my hand.  It angered me that he’d done it over the weekend, right under my nose, when we were all supposed to be enjoying ourselves.  “Are you sure?”

“I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t.”

I turned, and gazed at him sternly.  “Then do it.”

He nodded briefly, and then called somebody on his cellphone.  Within minutes he walked out of my office, and I didn’t want to follow him.  It pained me deeply to see what was about to happen, but at the same time I couldn’t help myself.  I followed him slowly out into the hallway and stood inside my open doorway as Agent Wilcox, and a second agent made their way into Trace’s office.

There was a commotion for a few minutes.  I could hear him swearing.  Cheryl came up behind me at some point and asked what was going on.  I told her to hold on, that I would explain later...

And then there Trace was, being led out of his office in handcuffs.  Cheryl gasped and I just stared, not being able to believe what was happening before my eyes.

“Justin!” He yelled out to me as Agent Wilcox began to force him down the hallway. “Justin, I didn’t do this! You know I didn’t do this!”

I just stared at him as they forced him to the elevators.  I wouldn’t answer.  I couldn’t answer.

He kept yelling my name, over and over, panicked, like he didn’t know what the hell was going on.  But I knew what he did, I knew it all too well.

He was getting what he deserved.

I held an emergency board meeting right away.  Naturally my entire staff sat in silence, as I stared into space for several moments.  I was sure they thought I was going to fire them all.  When I was first promoted I did what I like to call a ‘clean sweep’ and fired about fifty people that in my opinion, were doing a shitty job.  I can’t lie, I was considering firing a few of them that day too. I was angry and paranoid enough, but I knew that it would be wrong.  I couldn’t afford it.  My best executive was gone, thief or not, and I needed people around me that knew what they were doing.  Especially considering clients were going to start calling to give us hell the moment the case broke to the media.  

“Alice.”  It was the first word I spoke.

Everybody slowly looked over at her.

She cowered in her seat.  “Y-yes sir.”

“I’ve decided to put a new policy into place.  Private accounts are no longer private. Alice, you will now be in charge of overseeing and doing weekly audits on all of them, and public accounts will be audited once a week versus once a month,” I announced.  “I suggest you all get your passwords together on one list and give them to her before the end of the day.  Those who do not comply will be fired.  I won’t tolerate another cheater in my company.”

Nobody said anything.

“Mr. Ayala is no longer with us.”  I sat up in my chair and folded my hands on top of the shiny granite desktop.  “I don’t need to explain why.  You’ll find out in the coming days.  I don’t want his named mentioned in my presence.  If you have an issue with any of his clients, see Alice, and she will report the issue to me.  Is that clear?”

“Yes, sir.”

They said it in unison.  I just nodded, got up from my chair, and walked out on them all.  I’m sure they stayed behind, talked amongst themselves for several hours afterward.  I didn’t care.  I wasn’t about to involve myself in their gossip.  Trace was more than just an executive.  He was my business partner, and I knew once the media found out about his arrest, the whole thing was going to blow up in my face.  Where would I be then? Would I end up broke? Would my board get together and decide to overthrow me?  I had no idea.  It made me feel sick to my stomach...the thought of losing my integrity, my career.  Would I have to move back down south? Go back to the lifestyle I had loathed for so many years?

I threw up in the bathroom.  When five o’clock came around, and I decided to go home to talk to Abbey about it all, I walked right into a disaster.

“Mr. Timberlake!”

Flashes went off in my face, and microphones were shoved at me from every angle.  I could make out Quincy in the very back of the crowd, a sympathetic look on his face as I tried desperately to make my way over to the Escalade.

“Is it true your business partner has been arrested for fraud?”

“How will this effect the integrity of Goldmach Sachs?”

“Given your age do you think people will continue to take you seriously?”

“No comment!” I shouted at them, and pushed my way through the mass of reporters and photographers.  Quincy stuck out his hand as I neared the back of the crowd and pulled me through, blocking their access to me as I practically jumped into the back of my Escalade, thankful for the dark tinted windows and doors that locked all of them away.  I was safe...

But I knew that I wouldn’t be able to hide from them forever.

There were more reporters waiting outside my building when the car pulled up, and I was furious.  I made Quincy get out, talk to the doorman, try to get him to do something about them so I wouldn’t have to deal with it right then.  

“Sir, I’m sorry,” Quincy told me once he got back into the car.  “But they told me as long as they are on the city sidewalk, they can’t be made to leave.”

I sighed into my hands.  “It’s fine, Quincy.  Thanks.”  I sucked in a long breath, and threw my car door open.  Frank, my doorman was waiting for me, ready to escort me into the building.  He did a decent job keeping the reporters away from me, even though he’s not a very big guy.  The reporters shouted at me and snapped pictures as I walked to the door, but they weren’t able to stop me from getting inside.

Once I was in the elevator, I never wanted to go back out again.

“Justin!”

Davey threw his arms around me the second I stepped through the door, and it took everything inside of me to throw a smile on my face for him.  He was oblivious to everything that was happening, and that was good.  He was too young, and had been through too much to endure anymore stress.   I picked him up and ruffled his hair before giving him a long hug.

Then Abbey came into the room, wiping her hands with a dishrag.  “Hey.”

I put Davey down.  “Go on, go find Austin.”  I said to him softly and patted his shoulder so he would run off.  “Hey,” I said to her, once he was out of site.

“I...I saw the news,” she whispered as she made her way over to me.  “They arrested Trace?”

I just nodded.  

“A-are you okay?”

I shrugged.  “I don’t know.  I...don’t know what’s going to happen.  He was yelling at me when they took him away.  He said...he didn’t do it.”  

She took my hand in hers and looked down at it for a moment.  “Of course he would say that,” she whispered.  “You...you did the right thing.  I mean, who knows how much more money you would have lost if you didn’t catch on?”

“Yeah, yeah I guess.”  

I couldn’t say much.  I wanted to.  I wanted to tell her how upset I was, how sick I felt.  But I didn’t have the energy then.  I'd had a long, hard, emotional day and all I really wanted to do was fall asleep in her arms and forget it all.

“Justin, it’s okay,” she whispered and pulled me closer to her so she could wrap her arms around me and lay her head against my chest.  “It’s over.”

I kissed the top of her head, and breathed her in slowly.  “I think it’s just beginning, Ab.”

And I was right.

The press decided to camp out across the street from my building, and the moment I stepped outside the next day I knew they weren’t going to let myself or Abbey pass easily.  I didn’t want the boys to be shoved into the middle of the whole thing.  They weren’t a part of it, and I didn’t want them exposed to my career in that way.  I arranged for Abbey and the boys to leave the building down the fire stairs, so they could meet Quincy in the back and he could take them to school before dropping me off at the office.  Austin later told me it was cool.  He felt like a ‘secret agent.’  I was grateful.  It wasn’t affecting him, and I knew he was old enough to understand that something major was going on in my work life.  I guess having Abbey by his side helped him to calm down about it.  Davey didn’t say much.  He was smiling a lot though.  I know he was just happy to be with us, and excited that I was riding in the car with him each morning we took Austin to school.  Abbey was a trooper through it all.  She acted as normally as she possibly could for them, and for me.

I don’t know what I would have done without her those first couple of days.

I miss her.  I mean, it’s weird for me to be thinking this way, but it’s the truth.  My mind has been so overwhelmed with everything that the most I’ve been able to do lately is kiss her goodnight and fall asleep with her in my arms.  There hasn’t been much time for talking.  Now that Austin is back in school he has a lot to yap about at the end of the day, and since that gives Davey the incentive to speak up too, they’ve been taking up all of our free time.

I’m praying that after today, things will start to be a little bit more normal around the house.  After today I want to talk to Abbey at night about us, instead of work and the boys, the press, and how stressed out we both are. I want to feel her again, all over me.  I need her.

I miss having that physical interaction with her.  I’ve been spoiled I guess.  I’ve been trying to calm myself down, tell myself that it’s good we haven’t been as sexual lately.  I mean, she’s with me now.  We’re together.  I guess...I guess I can say that she’s my girlfriend.  That means our time together has to be about more than just sex.  I mean, it is.  

The sex is just...one of my favorite things about spending that time with her, as raunchy as that sounds.  I guess it’s because I’ve never been so passionate about somebody before.  I’ve never made love to a woman like I make love to her.

It means something.

Something more than I can even understand.

“You doing okay?”

Mac pats my back and I let out a harsh sigh as I take a seat in the middle of the courtroom.  I gave a press statement right before we were allowed to come inside.  It was short and to the point.  I basically told them all what Trace was being charged with, and I gave a formal apology to all of our clients.  I’m sure I’ll have about a thousand messages waiting for me when I get back to the office today.  I wish I could be there now, answering them, but Mac said it was important that I be here today.  He said it would show that I was standing behind the company.

But the thought of seeing Trace lead out in handcuffs has made me nauseated since I woke up this morning.

“I’ll be okay.”  I glance around the courtroom as I say it.  I spot Trump sitting across the room, and he acknowledges me quickly with a small nod and wink.  We spoke briefly on the phone Wednesday morning.  I wanted to let him know I was ready to take him up on his deal, even though chaos was ensuing in my business world.  He understood where I was coming from, said he was on my side and he would back me a hundred percent so I wouldn’t lose as many clients.  It feels good to have a friend in the business world, somebody I can trust.

But still, the smallest part of me misses the hell out of my best friend, and I have no idea why.  He betrayed me. Stabbed me in the back.   I shouldn’t care about him.  They told me he had to spend a few days in Rikers because the medium security holding center had no spot for him.  I shouldn’t care about how freaked out he probably was, jailed amongst murderers and the like.

But I still do, and I hate that.

The next person I notice is Trace of course.  He’s led out from a side entrance in the front of the courtroom by an officer, clothed in a bright orange prison suit, his wrists and ankles shackled together.  He shuffles slowly to his seat and is made to sit down next to his lawyer, and they immediately begin a whispered conversation.  His face is pale, his eyes bloodshot and sunken in, as if he hasn’t slept for days.  He’s terrified.  I can just tell.  I feel a pang of desperation surge through me, pleading with me, telling me something isn’t right...

But I have all the proof I need.  I shouldn’t feel this way.  I can’t.


“All rise,” the bailiff announces as the judge enters the courtroom and takes his position at his desk.  “The honorable Judge Walsh presiding.”

“You may be seated,” he says gruffly.

We all sit.  The room is silent.  I think everybody is waiting to see what happens next.  It’s a media spectacle.  More than half of the courtroom is comprised of cameramen, reporters, and photographers.  It should be fun trying to get out of here once this is all over with.

“What’s first Len?” The judge asks the bailiff with a strong sigh.

“Docket ending in 53398. People Vs. Trace Ayala.”  He hands over the paperwork to the judge as he says it.

The judge studies the documents briefly before moving his reading glasses down to the end of his nose and peering up Trace, as if something has suddenly struck him.  The smallest fragment of a smile appears on his face, and then vanishes.  “Charges?”

“Grand Larceny in the first degree.”

“Well, Mr. Ayala, we meet again,” Judge Walsh smirks.

I hear gasps all around.  Obviously, this isn’t the first time Trace has dealt with this judge, and all I can think is that everything Trump told me was the truth.  I stare at Trace’s backside.  He’s hanging his head low, waiting for the next, inevitable question.

“How do you plead?”

It takes a moment for him to answer.  The courtroom is completely silent.  You could hear a pin drop.  I feel myself begin to tremble.  

“Not guilty,” he croaks.

I shake my head sadly and pinch the bridge of my nose.  Fuck, why? Why? Can’t he just confess? He’ll never get away with this.  There’s too much evidence against him.  The feds made sure of that.  I recognize his lawyer.  He’s good, one of the most expensive in Manhattan.  I even considered using him before I was referred to Mac. Maybe Trace thinks the guy is his ticket out of jail.

But I seriously doubt it.

“The people request no bail your honor,” The District Attorney speaks up, smartly.  “Mr. Ayala has many means available to him, and we consider him a high flight risk at this time.”

“Your honor I don’t see that being necessary,” Trace’s lawyer huffs.  “An ankle bracelet would do just as well.  My client isn’t a murderer or a drug dealer.”

The judge leans forward, staring at Trace with a commanding look in his eyes.  “Given the high profile of this case, I feel it is in Mr. Ayala’s best interest to be remanded without bail at this time.”

I see Trace turn and desperately whisper something in his lawyers ear.

“Your honor,” Trace’s lawyer speaks up desperately.  “I implore you to see reason.  My client has a young child at home...”

“Who will do just as well with it’s mother,” Judge Walsh speaks over him.  “Next case.”

The judge slams the gavel down.

I watch as Trace turns around, and is pulled into Sydney’s arms who has been sitting directly behind him the whole time.  He can’t hug her back, so he sort of leans into her.  She kisses him, and he tells her that he’ll call her, before he’s forced to shuffle back through the entranceway again.  Right before he moves through the door he looks back over his shoulder, and his eyes immediately connect with mine.  He glares at me, like I’m the worst person in the entire world.

Sydney breaks down into a fit of sobs as soon as he disappears from view.   

I’m not thinking about her though.  I could care less about her.  I do feel bad for Kristy though.  I know how much she loves Trace and I seriously doubt that their home is the best place for a kid to be in right now.  But again, it’s not my issue.  I get up along with Mac, and we walk out of the courtroom among the throngs of spectators, and reporters.  Of course I’m asked to stop for questions from the press, which I politely decline.  I’m nearly out.  The media has been kept away from me by some very helpful members of the NYPD, and I start to think about Abbey and the boys back at home.  I can’t wait to be with them.

“Justin.”

I look to my left.  “Mr. Trump.”

He shakes my hand.  “Glad to see that this is going to be over with shortly.”

I nod a little as I peer into the distance, letting out a small sigh of relief when I see Quincy and the car waiting for me at the curbside.  “Yeah.  I mean, there’s going be a trial...”

“I’m willing to bet that lawyer of his will talk him into a plea bargain,” Trump chuckles.  “He’ll do three to five, and the world will have forgotten all about him by then.”

I just nod.  I can’t talk to him about it anymore.  It’s making me feel sick again.

“Monday...I’d like to join you in your office to talk about some things,” he tells me.  “My top architect would like to be there as well, to discuss some design ideas.”

“That sounds great.” I force a smile for him as we reach my car, and he shakes my hand one more time.  “My Monday conference is over by ten.  I can meet with you then.”

“Sounds good, sir.”  

He smiles once more for me and walks away.

“Trump huh?” Mac chuckles and pats my back.  “What will it be next, kid?”

I shake my head.  “I think this is enough for me to take on for now.  I’ll talk to you.”

He bids me goodbye and I get in the car, thankful when my head hits the leather interior and I can close my eyes.  The anxiety that’s taken over me since the early morning begins to fade slightly as Quincy pulls away.  Soon I’ll be back at work, faced with clients, meetings with my partners.

They’ll all be fighting over Trace’s position for the next few months.  It makes me cringe to think of all the ass kissing I’m going to have to put up with.

Shit, all I want is Abbey today.  She’s all I want right now.  I don’t want to deal with work, with the knowledge that Trace will never be right down the hall from me again.  I won’t have him to lean on.  The one who has built me up from nothing is gone.

Abbey is all I have now.

“Hey, Quincy,” I speak up, softly.

“Sir?”

“Can you take me home?”

We stop at a red light, and he takes the opportunity to look back at me over his shoulder.  “It’s only after three.  Are you sure about that?”

I laugh a little.  “Yeah, I think so.”

It’s a first for me.  I’ve never just...put work to the side like this for the sake of somebody else, or because...I needed somebody else more than the walls of my office to get me through the rest of the day.  Still, Quincy smiles at my request and when the light changes to green he makes it a point to turn the car around so he can head back to my penthouse.  I’ve never said anything to him about Abbey, but I can tell that he knows what’s going on.  He’s never protested though.  I can tell he likes her.  That he thinks she’s good for me.

I couldn’t agree with him more.

I call Cheryl and tell her that I’ll be out of contact until Monday.  She tells me not to worry about it.  She’ll forward the important calls to my cell phone, and I tell her that I’m fine with that.  When we pull up to my building, I see Abbey and the boys walking out.  I smile, push the door open, and get out of the car.  Austin is dressed in his soccer gear.  Shit, it’s his first game today and I completely forgot with everything else that’s been going on.  It’s a fluke that I thought to come home, and I’m so glad I did.  “Hey.”

“Hey...” Abbey says, the shock in her voice apparent when she meets my gaze.  “I...I didn’t think you’d make it.”

“You’re coming to my game?” Austin says as I reach the spot they’re all standing in.  His eyes are wide, as if he’s surprised that I’m here at all.

“Course I am, bud.”  I smile at him a little and ruffle his hair, before doing the same to Davey.  Then I’m finally able to reach her, and by the look on her face, I can tell that she knows exactly the kind of day I’ve had.  I pull her into my arms, and she hugs me...she hugs me so tight.  

“I saw you on the news this morning,” she whispers as I hold her in my arms.  “I know...that was hard for you.”

“He plead not guilty.  But...it doesn’t matter anymore,” I whisper gently, and pull back a little so I can look her in the eyes.  “I have you, and the boys. That’s...that’s all I care about right now.  Whatever happens, I’ll pull through it as long as I have you.”

She smiles a little bit, and kisses me gently on the lips.  “Are you sure that you want to come?  I already prepared Austin.  If you need the time for yourself...”

“I want this time for us,” I nod, cutting her speech short.  “Okay?”

She smirks a little.  “Okay.”

We pile back into the Escalade, and Quincy happily agrees to take us to Central Park for Austin’s game.  Austin even invites him to stay and watch, and he agrees, tells him he’d like nothing more.  It’s a happy moment during what’s been a very miserable day for me, and most likely for Abbey too.  I reach for her hand, and she laces her fingers through mine as she smiles softly and gazes into my eyes.  

I have the best girlfriend, and right now, that's the only thing that means something to me.

Nineteen by ialwayzbesingin
It’s weird.  All of a sudden I’m not the nanny anymore.  Ever since the Hamptons, I’ve been more like...Justin’s girlfriend.  We haven’t put the official label on it or anything yet, and frankly, Justin has been so busy with everything going on at work that we haven’t had a chance to discuss this new step in our ‘relationship’ yet.  

It’ll come.  It basically already has, but I won’t push it yet.  Not until all this drama with Trace blows over anyway.

Just knowing how much Justin cherishes me is enough for the time being.

The moment I turned on the news this morning all they could seem to talk about was
Trace Ayala and his dirty deeds. They highlighted his career and went on to talk about the Merrill Lynch case he'd been involved in years ago. He was a sleaze even then.  A
child of rich parents, he attended Harvard and received a masters in both accounting and business.  He lost his entire financial reputation when it was discovered he helped embezzle nearly three million dollars from his company.  He was young though, and had no priors, so he was granted immunity for his testimony. The only reason he made it back to the top was because he took Justin under his wing and taught him everything he knew about Wall Street, helped him to grow, to become promoted, knowing that when Justin made it big, he would become his right hand man.

He used Justin. He knew he was vulnerable, undereducated, but determined enough to dig himself out of that lifestyle, so Trace made sure his friend succeeded for his own selfish desires.

I hate him for that most of all.

They cut live to a press conference after featuring Trace’s life story. I watched as Justin stepped up to the podium, looking worn down and ragged due to all the stress he'd been put through over the past couple of weeks. I hated what it was doing to him, and prayed the press conference and pre trial hearing would pass quickly. Justin was straight and to the point, formally apologizing to his clients first and foremost before going on to explain the situation. He remained strong through his statement, looked every bit the leader and business man I knew he was.
 
I was so proud of him, even more so when he forfeited the rest of his day to spend time with us. I was fully prepared for him to miss Austin's first game. I figured he'd be overburdened with calls and meetings, and given the situation his business was slightly more important than the boys.  But he pushed that all to the side.

I guess he really has changed.

“Come on Austin!” I cheer and clap my hands like he’s my own kid, as I watch him run around the soccer field.

Even though today has been one of the most hectic Justin has faced in a while, you'd never know anything happened to him at all. He’s sitting next to me, Davey on his lap, watching Austin play with a small smile on his face. It’s like Trace sitting in a prison cell has become a distant memory to him. Work in general...seems to have become a distant memory to him too. It’s shocking, but at the same time, it’s what I’ve wanted from him all along. He has a special bond with Austin and Davey now. I’m not the only one parenting them anymore, and that’s the way things need to be from now on.

I just hope it lasts.

“What? Where’s the whistle! Hey! Austin!” Justin yells out after his brother is pushed to the ground by some other kid. “Don’t take that from that kid! Get him back! Knock his ass down!”

“Justin,” I nudge him a little and roll my eyes. “People are staring. It's bad enough
that your face has been all over the news for the past couple of days without drawing more attention to yourself."

“I don’t care,” he shrugs a little bit. “That’s my brother. Nobody gets to push him around without hearing about it from me. What the hell is that coach doing anyway? That center doesn’t know where the hell he’s going. Austin should be playing center. He’s a natural, like me.”

Justin has never told me about his history with soccer, but I can tell that he has a passion for it, just by witnessing his attitude here today. “Okay, Mr. Beckham,” I
chuckle.  “They’re just kids.  This isn’t the World Cup.”

“Hey, I’m just telling you the truth. If Austin sucked, if he didn’t have captain potential, I never would have let you put him on a soccer field. I think next summer we should enroll him in soccer camp. It’ll really boost his game. They have a great one in upstate New York. Beckham has even taught a few classes there.”

I shoot him a skeptical smile. “Do you really think Austin is that serious about soccer?”

Justin simply chuckles and throws me a cocky grin. “He will be.”

There he goes again, trying to turn Austin into a little version of himself. It irks me so much. I want the boys to have their own personalities, and Justin has so many resources available to him that they won’t have a problem doing that on their own.
Justin needs to stand down a little bit, find out if this is something Austin really wants to do, but I know if I say anything, I’ll be shut down. Justin is set in his ways when it comes to the boys. Granted, his attitude toward them has changed a ton, and that’s great, but the way he wants them to grow up seems etched into his mind permanently. It doesn’t concern me so much with Austin as it does with Davey. Austin is strong willed and if Justin tries to push him into something, he’ll just fight back and Justin will realize he’s wrong pretty quickly. Davey is the impressionable one, because he’s younger and he’s been traumatized. Justin and I are all he knows, and if Justin tells him that he wants him to do something...like attend a regular school, I know he’ll do it simply to win Justin’s affection. That’s very bad. I don’t want to see Davey become more messed up than he already is.

"I still think you should talk it out with him," I say softly. "In a couple of months he might find something else that interests him. You know, Ms. Parks told me this week that
Austin has been a lot more cooperative since he came back to school. He's been speaking out in class and even wrote a few entries in his journal. She says he's a good writer for his age. It might be something he can develop over time."

He sighs a little. "Come on, Ab.  There’s more out there for him. I mean, I'm not against him excelling at Dalton. English is a great tool. I want him to have good reading and writing skills. I want the same thing for Davey too," he pauses, smiles, and ruffles Davey's hair a little. "But when it comes to extracurriculars he belongs in a sports program. It's in his blood. Davey will do the same thing once he learns to toughen up a little more."

I sigh. "I just don't see why Austin should be forced into an activity. He should have the final say."

Justin smirks at me slightly and leans in closer to me. "Isn't Austin the one who asked you to sign him up for soccer?"

"Well, yeah...but..."

He gently kisses my lips, silencing me. "Then why are we arguing?"

"I guess I just feel like you're going to put too much pressure on him." I say it lightly.
Really, this is a heavy conversation to be having with him on a day like today. Even though Justin is acting even tempered right now, it doesn't mean he's not thinking about a million different things. I know I could set him off if I push too hard, and I can't afford to do that. At the same time though, I've never been one to stand down from my opinions, and the ones I’m voicing right now are really important to me.

"Christ, I'm not going to pressure him." He rolls his eyes.

"You were just yelling at him five minutes ago."

"That was encouragement."

"Oh, please," I groan. "The next thing you'll be doing is calling the coach on the phone so Austin will be able to play the position you want him in.”

"Nah," he chuckles. "I might as well just coach the team myself."

"Oh yeah," I laugh. "Coach Timberlake. Like you'd ever make time for that."

"Hey," he scowls. "I made time for this, and look what I had to put up with all day."

"Coming to one game and coaching an entire season are two completely different things," I tell him seriously. "And...don't take this the wrong way, I'm really glad you're
here, but I'm like ninety percent sure you forgot that Austin's game was today anyway."

He laughs harshly and puts Davey down next to him, so he can cross his arms at me.  "What the hell...I'm here!"

"You didn't even mention the game this morning, Justin. It was obvious that you forgot about it, and Austin noticed too.  That’s why I told him that you wouldn’t be coming after you went to work this morning, so he wouldn’t be disappointed later."

"I just sent the best friend I have in the world to prison," he snaps at me. "I'm sorry if the rest of the days events slipped my damn mind."

"I told you that I understood. I'm just trying to make a point with you! You're too busy to coach a soccer team. What if something came up...like today. What would you do?
Cancel the game?"

"If that's what it came down to," he mutters.

I know that’s the best thing he can come up with.  “Look, practicing with Austin on your own is good enough.”  I smile for him a little bit and he allows me to loop my arm through his, despite the fact that he’s staring out at the soccer field with a stern expression on his face.  “That means the world to him, you know?”

“I just want him to be good,” he grunts.  “He has the potential to be good, Abbey.  I have the ability to get him the best training possible, so why shouldn’t he have it?”

“I just...I know him ,and I think it’s a lot of pressure for him, that’s all.”  There’s more to this.  It stems from deep inside of him.  Again, there’s a lot he’s not telling me, but right now..it’s just not the right time to discuss it.  “I think trying the best he can should be good enough, Justin.  Look how well he’s doing.  A month ago, he couldn’t even be around other kids.  You...you’ve helped to change him.”

He shakes his head a little and slowly looks over at me.  “The only person who changed him was you, Abbey.”

I look down at my lap and suck in my bottom lip.  “I dunno.”

“You did,” he whispers.  “And...you showed me what I wasn’t doing.  I love him, I love both of them.  I just...I guess I was too scared to give them that love in the beginning.  I didn’t know what to do.  My parents, they...”

“Justin.”  I put my hand on his cheek and kiss his lips softly.  “We’ll talk at home, okay?”  I glance at Davey as I say it, and Justin sighs because he gets my point.

“Yeah.”  

He leans into me, and I rub a hand reassuringly across his shoulders. Moments later, the ball is passed to Austin, and he kicks it into the goal.

“That’s my boy!”  Justin jumps up and does a couple of fist pumps before clapping his hands loudly for his brother.  “Yeah! Yeah buddy!  That’s how to show ‘em!”

All the parents around us stare, but I know Justin couldn't care less what they think of him.  After all, I seriously doubt he’ll be coming to another one of these for a long time.  Even though he’s trying to be dedicated right now, I know he’s going to get too busy.  It’s not his fault.  He has a corporation to run.

Davey looks at me and starts to laugh, and I just pull him towards me as we clap our hands for Austin.  

In all, it’s been an interesting afternoon.

Austin’s team wins the game, and he comes bounding towards me once the coach dismisses the team. I grab him up and swing him around in my arms for a moment before putting him down and ruffling his hair.  “That was great, Aus,” I smile.  “I’m so proud of you.”

“Justin!”  Austin hugs me around my waist and smiles up at his brother.  “You saw my goal!”

“I did,” Justin grins widely at him and pats him on the shoulder.  “You were good, but you gotta stay focused.  Once you get that goal you gotta forget about it. You have to move on to the next thing, okay?  You gotta show the coach that you’re better than just a line man.  You’re good enough to be center, but you have to prove yourself first.  You have to show him you’re serious.”

Austin eyes me quickly as if he doesn’t understand, before looking back at Justin and nodding a little.  “O-okay.”

“We’ll work on it though,” Justin promises as he lifts Davey up onto his shoulders for a piggy back ride across the park.  “You and me.”

I don’t say anything.  I know if I do, I’ll just end up angry and the boys don’t deserve to see me that way.  Austin holds my hand as we trek across the park to meet Quincy, and Justin stops at the Mister Softee truck before we get to the car, to buy Austin and Davey some ice cream to celebrate.  

I guess it was the wrong move.

The photographers seem to come out of nowhere, reporters too.  They start shouting questions in Justin’s face about Trace, about me, and it causes him to bump into Davey who immediately drops the beautiful new ice cream cone in his hands.  The kid starts screaming and crying, but the press people don’t let up.  They just don’t care.  These aren’t the civilized kind.  They are paparazzi.  Austin yells at them to get away, but naturally that doesn’t do any good either.

“Abbey get them out of here!” Justin yells at me.  “Get the boys out of here!”

I don’t think.  I just grab both the boys by their hands and pull them away from the scene.  Austin didn’t even get his ice cream.  A photographer follows us, shoving his camera my face, in the boys faces.  Davey clings to me and cries like he’s the most scared he’s been since I’ve known him.  Quincy is just feet away.  I can see him leaning out the car window, his eyes wide, obviously frightened for the boys and for myself.

“Get the fuck away from them!”

The photographer is shoved forward, away from us.  I gasp and pull the boys to a halt, as he collides with the sidewalk, his camera shattering into a few large pieces all around him.  He starts screaming about how he’s going to sue, but I couldn’t care less.  I look up then, and I see Justin standing there, out of breath.  He has a cut on his lip, obviously from warding off the other rowdy press members that he just encountered.  I start to sob, as I stand in the middle of the sidewalk, clinging tightly to the boys hands.

God, the whole world has gone nuts.

“C’mon,” Justin says, panting harshly as he reaches me and throws a protective arm around my shoulders.  “C’mon you’re okay.”

He kisses my forehead and guides us towards the awaiting Escalade.

I just want to go home.

“Sir, I’m so sorry,” Quincy says as he gets out of the car and opens the door for all of us.  “I didn’t see them.”

“Not your fault,” he grumbles, and lets me and the boys in ahead of him.

I’m still shaking as I get in the car.  Davey buries his face in my side and Austin just sits there by the window, staring straight ahead, like he doesn’t know what to do.
“Hey.”

Justin is rubbing my back gently as Quincy pulls the car away from the curb.  I can’t say anything to him.  I can barely look at him.

“I’d never let anybody hurt you,” he whispers, and I can feel him pressing his lips to my neck.  “Abbey, I’m sorry.”

“It’s...it was just sudden,” I whimper.  “I’m okay.”

He laces his fingers through mine and rubs his thumb across the top of my hand.  “I’ll hire security,” he says to me gently.  “This is ridiculous.  They’re animals.”

“Justin.  I don’t know...”

“It’s the best thing for now,” he tells me gently.

It forces me to look at him.  “Won’t this blow over soon enough?”

He shrugs.  “I...I can’t say for sure.  You saw what happened.  They know who you are now...who the boys are.  I can’t risk them cornering you when I’m not around, Ab.”

I don’t say anything else, because there isn’t anything to say.  I know Justin’s mind is made up, and I guess in the long run it’ll be better for the boys.  Different, but better.  I have to wake up I guess, realize that my life isn’t normal anymore.  I’ve been living like I’m the same old girl I’ve always been for all this time, and it’s just occurring to me now who I am...the girlfriend of the most powerful Wall Street giant in Manhattan.  Is it more than I can handle? I want to say no.

But...but that was so, so scary.

“Ab, you’re it for me, you know?” Justin speaks up after a while.  “I care about you, and the boys.  I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure you’re all okay.”

I look at him, the tears flooding my eyes and blurring my vision automatically.  “I was scared,” I whisper.

He nods, but remains strong as he pulls my head down to rest on his shoulder.  “You won’t be again.  I promise you.  I’ll do whatever I have to, to keep you safe.”

“Okay.”

And I believe him.  I believe him like I believed Braeden when he said he was coming back to me.  It’s the strongest trust I could ever have in somebody else, and I wish I could tell Justin that.  I wish I could.

But he’s still not ready to hear it, despite all of this, and I’d be stupid if I didn’t know that.

The last thing I want to do at this stage, is make a complete idiot out of myself.
Twenty by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
In honor of it being my birthday today, I figured I would try to get another chapter up for you guys :) Enjoy!
On Monday morning, Trace was relocated out of Rikers, and brought to the Metropolitan Correctional Center to await his trial.  It’s a medium security holding facility for people that have done crimes similar to his.  The media vultures caught up with him, and broadcast the transfer on the news as he was lead out of the back of one of those prison vans.  He squinted as the flashes went off in his face, and tripped over the shackles connecting his ankles together, nearly falling flat on his face on national television.  It should have made me smile, but I couldn’t do it.  The longer I stared at the screen the more I was able to read into his emotions, because I knew him so damn well.  He was barely making it. He was fatigued, depressed.  But why? He knew what he did...

I can’t continue to dwell on it.  This new holding facility...it’s a better place for him, and I should feel good about that and let the rest of it roll off my shoulders.  I mean, he didn’t murder anybody, and he shouldn’t have to be housed with the worst kind of scum there is in the world.  

One of my partners told me that the judge, the one who wouldn’t grant Trace bail, was the same one who presided over the Merrill Lynch case.  Small fucking world.  I couldn’t believe it, but at the same time, knew justice would be served.  It was more than obvious that the guy hated Trace, and would probably do whatever he had to, to make his life even more miserable.

The bastard can rot in prison for all I care.

I have more important things to worry about.

When that photographer went after my brothers and Abbey, a surge of rage overtook me.  I felt like he was taking over my territory, and I went into protective mode.  I shoved that guy down, and I’ll probably get slapped with a nice fat lawsuit that Mac will smooth over for me.  I don’t care though.  I’d rather pay the guy off than have him continue to go after my...

Well, my family I guess I can call them now.

I told Trump about my dilemma with the press.  How freaked out my brothers were, how they almost barreled both them and Abbey to the ground after Austin’s soccer game that day.  He didn’t ask me anymore questions.  He immediately loaned me out two burly men from his own security team to watch over them for me.  I’d never been more thankful for anything, asked him what I could do to repay him.  His response?

“Just be ready to work hard once this thing runs it’s course.”

He’s great.  Really...he’s more like a father to me than anything else.  Lately, I’ve been calling him up a lot to ask for his advice on various business trades and buy ins that normally, I would have consulted with Trace about.  It’s hit me way too hard, him being gone.  I quickly realized how much I relied on him, how much knowledge he’d always been able to give me.  Part of me...part of me started to miss him.

Fuck, I almost wanted to go see him.

But I forced myself not to.

I came home from work late Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  Abbey and I still hadn’t had the chance to cover the things we’d talked about in the Hamptons or about the things that happened that day of Austin’s soccer game.  I’d been overwhelmed at work, holding a lot of meetings with my staff and important shareholders, and ended up bringing a lot of work home with me as well.  Trump came by a lot too, took up half of my mornings sometimes.  I barely had time to take a break, eat, before I was in the middle of a phone call or was called into one of my partners offices to look at an important stock opportunity.  It was like, with Trace gone, my knowledge was needed by my staff more than ever before.  Trace had handled so much operationally.  I had it so easy then.

It was like, God was playing some sick joke on me, and I almost couldn’t handle it.  I was starting to get exhausted.

So when the clock struck five o’clock on Thursday evening, I made it a point to haul ass out of the office. Cheryl even laughed at me, told me she’d never seen me so desperate to get out of work on time before. I smiled, but didn’t say much more than a goodnight to her.

I just wanted to get home to my Abbey.

But what I found waiting for me, definitely wasn’t what I was expecting.

When I walked through the door, the first person I saw was Sydney sitting on my couch, sobbing hysterically into her hands.  I glanced around for Abbey and the boys, saw her sitting at the island with them, while Austin did his homework and Davey colored in a coloring book with Kristy.  The bodyguards were standing off to the side of the kitchen, looking grim, and I quickly dismissed them before I even started to ask what was going on.

“Abbey...”

“She’s all alone,” Abbey told me quickly.  “And Kristy doesn’t deserve to live like this.  Sydney is a wreck, Justin.  What was I supposed to do, throw her out?”

I sighed and ran a hand over my head.  “I guess not.”

“Talk to her,” Abbey muttered.  “Do something, because I’m out of ideas.”

I knew I had to do it, even though I detested that girl with everything inside of me.  The truth was Abbey had enough issues of her own, making sure the boys stayed sane, and handling the new presence of the bodyguards the best way she could.  I sucked it up for her, went back into the living room to confront Sydney.  “Why’d you come here?” I asked her, as I slowly sat down next to her on the couch.  

“Why aren’t...aren’t you helping him!” She yelled at me.  “That judge is a prick! He won’t grant Trace bail no matter how many times his lawyer tries to get him out.  You have influence! You can help!”

“I can’t help,” I muttered.  “If Trace is stuck in jail it’s not my problem.”

“It is!” She yelled at me again.  “He...he did everything for you! This is how you repay him?”

“He stole a lot of money,” I scoffed.  “I’m just supposed to ignore that?”

She sniffled and wiped the tears harshly from her eyes.  “So what am I supposed to do in the meantime?  I can’t get to the funds in the bank.  They’re all in Trace’s name and he won’t grant me access.”

I sat back a little bit, crossed my arms.  It was strange that Trace wouldn’t provide for his girlfriend and her daughter, because he always had in the past.  I started to ask myself what his reasoning would be.  I knew him well.  His money was a big thing to him, but I knew he loved to spoil the crap out of Sydney and Kristy.  “Did he say why?”

She glared at me.  “If he had, would I be here?  I’m broke, Justin.  I have nothing, and Kristy needs to eat.  Trace called the bank last week when I went to visit, but he only had them advance me a hundred dollars.  That money is gone!”

She was expecting me to hand her money, and had brought her daughter along to make me feel even more guilty about her sudden lack of funds.  “How about you just leave Kristy here for a while then?” I told her softly.  “We’ll look after her.  You can go look for a job or something.”

Her mouth dropped open.  “Are you fucking kidding me? A job? Doing what? Cashier at the Duane Reade?”

I shrugged.  “I don’t care what you do, but you can’t sit on my couch day in and day out and cry.  I have the boys to think about.”

“Just fix it!” She hollered, her tone growing more desperate.  “Tell them he didn’t do it!”

I just laughed at her.  “But he did do it.”

She stood up, sending me the most hateful look I’d ever seen on her face. “You’re a sorry son of a bitch.  You’re nothing without Trace.  Nothing.  You’ll crash and burn, and nobody will give a shit about you ever again.”

I just sighed.  “Get out, Sydney.”

“Kristy!” She hollered for her daughter as more tears spilled out of her eyes.  “Let’s go!”r32;
“But I want to play with Austin,” Kristy muttered from the kitchen island.

Sydney became enraged at this, stormed into the kitchen and yanked Kristy to her feet harshly, before slapping her across the face.  “I said now!”

“Hey, hey...”  I ran over to them, and could tell how freaked out Davey was getting by the whole thing.  “Don’t do that.”

Sydney barely looked at me, before she dragged her wailing daughter over to my door and left abruptly.

“It’s okay, Davey,” Austin told his brother as he clung to Abbey’s side.  “They’re gone now.”

I let out a harsh sigh as I took a seat at the kitchen island.  “Jesus.”

“I’m afraid for Kristy,” Abbey said, her eyes wide with fear.  “I’m afraid of what Sydney is going to turn into, and what she might do to her.”

I shrugged, and put my head in my hands.  “She’ll be fine.”

“I’m not so sure.  Sydney seems desperate for money, Justin.”

“She’s spoiled, that’s all.”

“I think she has a drug problem.”

I looked up at her quickly, unsure where she was getting that idea from.  “How would you know?”

“Austin take Davey inside,” she said softly.  “Watch a movie in your room or play a game.”

Austin nodded quickly, and the boys were out of sight within a few seconds.

“I...I walked in on her when we were in the Hamptons,” Abbey said slowly.  “She was doing lines of cocaine in the bathroom.”

I sat back in the chair and crossed my arms.  “You should have told me.”

“I didn’t want you to get anymore stressed out.  The weekend was awkward enough as it was.  I just figured it was a one time thing.  I mean, you didn’t know she did that, did you?”

I didn’t, and that fact made me worried.  It made me think about how long she’d been doing it for, and how Trace never bothered to tell me.  Was it something he covered up, hid from me because he didn’t want me constantly pressuring him to break up with her? I mean, I know I would have.  I never would have accepted somebody like that in his life.  But they’d been together for such a long time...he had to know about her habits.  But if Trace knew, what were the chances that her issue may have been getting a little out of hand, unbeknownst to him?

What were the chances that she would have been desperate enough to steal money from him?

“I didn’t know, but it doesn’t matter.”

Abbey leaned against the tabletop and ran a hand through her hair.  “But Justin...Justin what if...what if Trace didn’t take the money?  What if Sydney took it?”

It just wasn’t possible.  Trace was the culprit.  He guarded his accounts and his money with his life, because it was everything to him.  If she’d been taking money, I was sure he would have known about it right away.  I scoffed.  “There’s no way in hell.  She’s not smart enough to break into his accounts and he’d never give her his passwords.”

“He trusted her,” she whispered.

“No.”  I stood up harshly.  “Trace took the money.  It all points to him.”

“Can you just think for a second!” Abbey yelled at me.  “Look, I know it seems impossible and of course you don’t want to think that you accused Trace for no reason but...did you see her? She was hanging on her last nerve, Justin.  She’s addicted to cocaine...it’s so obvious, and now she’s out of drugs and money.  You’re just turning a blind eye to it.”

“Where the hell is this stemming from?” I grunted.  “I mean, you’ve thought Trace was a piece of shit from day one.  It’s done, okay? He’s going to have his trial, they’re going to find him guilty, and he’ll do three to five before he slithers back into society like the snake that he is.  Whatever happens to Sydney isn’t my concern, and it shouldn’t be yours either.”

“I’m not saying I like the guy,” Abbey grunted.  “All I’m saying is that, it would be a fucking shame if Trace did a few years in prison without having done anything wrong.”

“He did that shit at Merrill Lynch.”

“Yeah,” she nodded.  “Which probably gave Sydney the motive.  She knew that everybody would point the finger at Trace, and she’d get off scott free.”

“Who are you now? Sherlock Holmes?”

She rolled her eyes.  “If you don’t believe me that’s fine.” She stood up from the table and began to walk away from me.  “I’m just trying to help.”

“Abbey.”

She kept walking.  

“Abbey, come on.”

I didn’t see her again until I went to bed that night.  Before I did, I sat in my living room in silence, going over what Abbey had told me again and again.  What if it were true? What if Trace was innocent? What if Trump had been wrong...what if they’d all been wrong. It would be a God damn tragedy.  But what could I do? I had no proof of anything...

But maybe Trace knew.

Maybe that’s why he wasn’t giving her any money.

Maybe he simply decided to take the fall for her, because he loved her.  Trace, the one who didn’t believe in love, said it was a distraction, taught me that business should come first...always.

Even he had a softer side, and I was sure he wouldn’t be able to go through with turning his girlfriend in for grand larceny, especially when it would affect Kristy so much.

Part of me even thought that he might have been making the sacrifice, because of the kid.

“What should I do?” I asked her gently as I went to bed with her that night.

“Hmm?” She murmured, half asleep.

“Ab.”

She grunted and reached out to flick her light on, before squinting at me.  “I hate you.  I’m exhausted.”

I sighed, and pulled her a little bit closer to me as I laid down next to her.  “I’m sorry.  I just...I don’t know what to do.”

“Go talk to Trace.”

“No fucking way.”

“Well, then don’t.”

She turned her back to me, but I didn’t let go.  I wrapped my arms around her waist instead, and kissed the back of her neck.  “Abbey.”

“Look, I’m really tired, Justin,” she muttered.  “I don’t have a solution for you.  I just...I don’t have the focus right now.  Too much has been going on. I mean, Davey is freaked out by those guards.  He won’t go near them, and naturally, Austin thinks they’re the coolest people he’s ever met, so it’s not helping Davey to calm down about it.  He’s hiding behind the chair again, and he’s starting to talk less and less. I really, really hate this, and what it’s doing to the boys.”

It wasn’t fair to push her about it.  After all, it wasn’t her issue, it was mine, so I decided to give the subject a rest.  There would be more time for me to figure it out later, on my own, where I couldn’t burden her about it.  “I’m sorry,” I whispered.  “It’s just for a little while.  I promise.”

“I wish you could be here more, but I know you can’t be.”  

Her tone was soft, almost a whisper, and I knew there must have been a million emotions brewing inside of her.  “I’m busy...you know that.  You understand.  That’s why...you know, that’s why I want you to be with me.”

“We haven’t talked about that, either.”

I sighed heavily, knowing that I hadn’t brought up the Hamptons since we’d gotten back. “So let’s talk.”

“It’s not the best night.”

“Yeah, well, I don’t know when I’ll have time alone with you again.  Who knows what state of mind we’ll be in by tomorrow night?”

“Am I your girlfriend?”

I pressed my lips together, thankful that she wasn’t facing me in that moment.  I hated to get emotional, I hated to talk about my feelings and shit.  “I...I guess so, yeah.”

“Great answer,” she muttered, miserably.  “Never mind.”

“Hearing me say it is really that important to you?”

She turned over harshly in my arms, and stared right into my eyes.  I could tell she was pissed, and the most I could do was stare back at her, frozen, waiting for her to yell at me.  “I don’t handle relationships the same way you do, so yeah, it is important to me.”

“You know you’re my girlfriend,” I whispered, as I ran my hand down her cheek.  

“Then say it.”  Her eyes searched mine, trying to find the answers to all the questions that plagued her about me.

I kissed her lightly.  “You are.  You’re my girlfriend.  Satisfied?”

She rolled her eyes.  “I guess it’s a start.”

“I’m new to this kind of thing,” I explained.  “My dad...he never sat me down and taught me how to treat a woman.  I taught myself.  I...I’ve run around with different women for as long as I can remember, Ab.  I’m sorry that I’m not perfect.  It’s like...you expect that of me sometimes.  I feel like you want me to be this perfect model boyfriend.  I feel like...you compare me to him, even if you say that you don’t.”

“I can’t believe you’re bringing Braeden into this,” she snapped, and pulled herself out of my arms.  “Really?”

“This is the way that I am.”  I sat up in bed and crossed my arms.  “I’m...I’m never going to be the way you want, okay?  I can’t...I can’t be that way.  It’s not me.”

“So if I said I loved you, it wouldn’t even matter.”

She was staring at me so hard.  So, so hard, and I knew...I knew she’d crossed that line with me emotionally weeks ago.  I couldn’t say it though.  I couldn’t.  “That’s not true.”

“Because I do,” she whispered.  

“You don’t know that yet,” I shook my head.  “Don’t jump on the love thing right now.  We haven’t gotten that far.  Things have just...they’ve just started to spark a little bit more with us, and I care about you.  You know how much I care about you, but I just...I just want to see where this thing goes.  You should want the same.”

“I know how I feel,” she grunted.  “I know when I’ve fallen in love, and I’m in love with you now.  I can’t...just continue to hold it back day after day.  If you don’t want this type of relationship with me, just tell me.  Tell me right now.”

I stared at her, not knowing what the hell I wanted or how the hell I felt.  It was so much to take in among everything else, but Abbey...she was a very straightforward person.  She hated to hold back, to keep things and feelings to herself when it came to me.

I knew she was telling me the truth.

“I...I’m not ready for that,” I said softly, but managed to pull her towards me.  “But that doesn’t mean I won’t be ready eventually.”

“That’s reassuring,” she whimpered as I kissed her gently. “I’m just not up to your standard or something, right?”

It was the first time she was showing me a side of her that wasn’t so confident.  She thought less of herself than she let on.  It hurt me, because she was an amazing woman, and she should have had all the stamina in the world.  “Damn, that’s not it,” I whispered.  “Abbey...I...I just need some time.  That doesn’t mean things aren’t good with us, because they are.”

“All right,” she nodded a little, before meeting my gaze again.  “I...I guess I’m okay with that.”

I smiled a little bit for her and kissed her on the lips, with as much passion as I could muster.  “It’s gonna be fine,” I reassured her as I cupped her face in my hand once the kiss was broken.  “We’ll be fine, the boys will be fine.  Once this thing is done and Trump and I start to get settled with business, I’ll take us all on a real vacation.”

She smiled, only slightly, and didn’t quite look me in the eyes.  “Yeah, that...that’ll be good, J.”

“That’s my girl.”  I whispered it and kissed her again, harder and stronger this time.  Soon we were on top of each other, making love slowly and gently into the night.  She wasn’t as wild.  She was more emotional about our sex, but that was okay.  I knew she needed to feel that way.  She had to get it all out of her system so she wouldn’t turn into a love sick idiot in front of me every day of the week.

Am I scared that she said it?

Hell yes.

But I’m hoping like hell its just a phase.  That she’ll realize love isn’t as important as she’s making it out to be.  I mean, we can be happy together, do things and spend time together without adding all of the other stuff into it.  It’s too much pressure.  She’ll realize that quickly.

At least I hope she does, because I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle being with her otherwise.

I’m just not capable of that, of loving somebody.  I’m too terrified of what could happen if she decides to leave me, and I have to protect myself.  My parents left me in the dust to fend for myself, and I won’t let her do it too.  I have to keep that slight bit of distance between us, just in case.  It’s fucked up...

But then again, I’ve always been fucked up.
Twenty One by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Here you go...enjoy :)

Seven years ago I thought my life was over.  For seven years my heart still belonged to a dead man, but not anymore.  I tried my best to hide it from Justin, to not let him know how I really feel.

But I just...lost it.  I said those words.  The three words I never thought I would utter to another man ever again, and I’m still not sure if I was right for doing it.  Is Justin worth it? Hell, will he ever be able to feel the same away about me?

I still don’t know the answer, but I won’t give up...not just yet.

“Don’t you know you’re not supposed to tell a guy you love him until you’re at least six months in?”  Charlene took a slurp of her Mocha Frappe and frowned at me.  “I mean, are you crazy?”

I just shrugged and looked down into my coffee sorrowfully as I stirred it around. “I just...felt it, Char.”

“Yeah but he’s not the type of guy that would be prepared for something like that.  I hope you haven’t brought it up again.”

I shook my head.  I hadn’t mentioned our conversation in the bedroom since that night, and Justin seemed to be a hell of a lot happier because of it.  The day after we’d discussed it, there had been a slight aura of awkwardness surrounding us when he got home from work.  He was a little late too, slightly irritated because there had been photographers at the door, and the most he did after dinner was read a short story to Davey before heading to bed.  We didn’t talk when I finally decided to turn in, and for the first time since I’d started sleeping with him on a nightly basis, he didn’t wrap his arms around me.  He kept his back turned to me as I slid in next to him, and pretended to be asleep.

I let him.  I let him because I knew how weird I must have made him feel, and Charlene didn’t hesitate to knock me back into place when we had coffee.  “He’s the first once who’s cared about me since Braeden.”

“I know that,” she told me softly.  “And I know...you’ve told Justin about Braeden.  I think he’ll let you slide because he knows what you’ve been through, but you can’t push a guy like him.  He’ll slip away from you, Ab, and I know...I know you don’t want that to happen.”

I just shook my head.

“How are things going now?”

I shrugged a little.  “Okay.”

I wasn’t lying.  Things had gotten slightly back to normal since then.  Slightly meaning, Justin was talking to me in bed, and touching me in all the places that made me smile.  I wasn’t sure if we were having too much sex, if it was a bad thing or not, but I wouldn’t question it.  I was too afraid of setting him off.  He was edgy as it was, and I couldn’t afford to have him be mad at me.  The days he went to work were long and hard, starting first thing in the morning.  There were always reporters waiting for us outside Justin’s building.  The bodyguards would grip the boys and myself by the arms and shove us through the crowd and over to an awaiting vehicle.  I hated it.  I hated that they put their hands on me, and I knew Davey hated it too.  Austin seemed oblivious.  He was going through the motions like it didn’t affect him.  He was more concerned about getting to school.

It’s crazy how much he can act like his brother.

They leave when Justin gets home, after they fill him in about what went on during the day.  I stand against the kitchen counter with my arms crossed, waiting for them to make their exit.  I can tell Justin can sense how tense I am, but he never points it out.  This is the way he wants things and since...since I’m with him now, I have to be in this with him.  I know having the guards around is more for the boys sake than my own.  He was freaked out that day the press attacked us, so was I, and if I’d been alone...I just don’t know what I would have done about the boys.

They could have gotten hurt.  Really bad.

That’s why I’m going with the flow, trying as hard as I can to let my opinions about the guards roll off my shoulders until this whole thing blows over.

And I’m praying to god, that what I’m doing today will help it to.

I’d been more than overwhelmed the day Sydney came knocking at the door.  Austin had been given extra homework, things he’d fallen slightly behind on when he was suspended, and while I was trying my best to keep my attention focused on that, Davey wasn’t making it very easy.  The guards presence made him nervous, he was very clingy, acted much younger than he really was.  All he wanted me to do was sit with him, and when I explained that I had to help Austin first, he got pouty.  It pissed me off, made me want to send him to his room but...I knew I couldn’t.  It wasn’t his fault.

So I let him pout at the table.

She was a wreck when I opened the door, and Kristy...she practically ran into the house, seemingly desperate to get away from her mother.  I couldn’t blame her.  Sydney’s face was pale, her hair lank and greasy, falling messily at her shoulders.  Days of dried up mascara rested below her eyes, and she smelled like booze.  There was something seriously wrong, but she was the last person I wanted to help.  I let her in though.  I had no idea what else to do, and I did it more for Kristy’s sake than anything else.  She and Austin had grown close, and since he had a hard time making friends I was supportive of them hanging out together.

She cried on the couch, sobbed into her hands right up until Justin walked through that door.  At one point I tried to ask her what was wrong, but she snapped at me to get away from her, that she was only waiting to talk to Justin.  I knew it had to be about money.  She sounded desperate...

And I was right.

It really made me wonder if she could have had something to do with taking the money...it made me wonder if Trace was the only one who was guilty...

Or if he was guilty at all.

By the time she left I was convinced that he might not have been, and since Justin is too damn stubborn to research this more, I’ve taken it upon myself to do it.  It’s Francine’s day with Davey, and when I asked if she could pick up Austin from school since I had ‘a special errand to run’ she didn’t give me an issue.  I’m thankful for her.  Thankful, even though this is the last place I should or want to be.

But something needs to be done, because I’d feel like shit if Trace was really innocent and I didn’t try to make things right, even if I can’t stand the guy.

“Put your hands against the wall and spread your legs.”

I sigh harshly but do as the female officer tells me to.  Fuck, if Trace really turns out to be innocent, he owes me the biggest favor of his lifetime.  

The officer pats me down, feels underneath my bra and between my legs.  It’s fucking humiliating but I don’t complain.  That could earn me a ticket out of here, and after all the work his lawyer did to get my name on the visiting list, I know I can’t fuck this up.

“You’re clear.  Do you have any packages to give the inmate?”

I turn around to face her and shake my head no.

She nods.  “This way.”

I’m lead down a long dismal hallway along with a half dozen other visitors.  It’s painted a dull white, and the floors are a puke brown color.  It smells like body odor and lysol, even though this is a federal holding facility, and all I can think about is how dirty the cells must be here.  I’d say Trace deserves it...but I’m just not sure yet.  We’re made to stop in front of a door, the woman presses a button that makes a loud buzzing sound and a moment later another officer comes and opens it for us.  We’re lead through in a single file line, down another dismal hallway, until finally we reach an open area with tables.  We are all made to sit and wait.  Somebody comes around and asks for my name and who I’m here to see.  I wait for twenty five minutes.

Then the door at the other end of the room opens.

Several inmates rush out to their awaiting guests.  Most of the visitors here today are girlfriends and wives.  They are allowed to kiss and hug each other for a moment before being made to sit across from each other and begin quiet conversations.  I wonder how hard it must be for them.  How many hardships they have to face everyday.  I wonder if Sydney acts this way when she comes here to visit?

“Why the hell are you here?”

I have to stop thinking, because he’s here now.  I look up and study him as he stands before me with a cold, confused expression on his face.  He looks angry, exhausted, and a little bit sick.  I sit up slightly and clear my throat a little bit as an officer comes over and whispers at him to sit down.  He does it harshly, stares at me for several moments before letting out a sad little laugh and shaking his head.

“Well...what is it?” he snaps at me.  “Did Justin send you? He wanted you to tell me how much of a scum bag he thinks I am right?  I bet you went running to him once they arrested me, told him how I bullied you right?”

“Look!” I shout it at him, and it causes every person in the room to look at me.  I feel my face burning.  “Sorry,” I whisper, and soon they all go back to their conversations.  “Look,” I continue, as he glares at me.  “I came here on my own.”

“Why the fuck would you do that?”

I laugh bitterly.  “Right now, I think I should be asking myself that.  You’re not giving me a chance.”

“Fine.”  He sits back in his chair and crosses his arms.  “Here’s your chance.”

“Ayala, hands on the table!” An officer calls out to him.

He sighs harshly and puts them in plain site again.  “Make it fast,” he grunts.  

“Why aren’t you giving Sydney any money?” I whisper.

He cocks his heads to the side and shakes his head.  “How do you know that?”

“She came by.”

He rolls his eyes.  “I knew she’d pull that shit.  She asked Justin for money right?”

I shrug.  “Yeah, but he wouldn’t give it to her.”

He smirks, just slightly.  “How’s Kristy?”

I shrug.  “She won’t be okay for long.”

He frowns.  “What do you mean?”

“Sydney is a mess, Trace.  She slapped Kristy across the face, and...we would have kept her at the house with us, but she left before we could do anything.”

“Fuck,” he grimaces.  “I knew it...damn it...”

“Trace,” I say it quickly because I can tell he’s about to lose it, and I can also tell he knows something that he’s not telling anybody.  “What’s going on?”

“Nothing,” he mutters.  “Just leave it alone.”

“You’re hiding something,” I tell him.  “You...you didn’t do this, did you?”

He shrugs.  “I don’t talk about this when my lawyer isn’t here, and I think hell would freeze over before I’d talk about it with you.”

I should walk out, tell him to fend for himself, but I came all this way and waited all this time.  I didn’t do it for nothing.  I lean forward now, so I’m very close to him, not really caring if the officers won’t like it.  “Why are you protecting her?”

“I never said I was,” he grunts.

“It’s obvious.”

He flashes me a sarcastic smile.  “You don’t know half the shit that’s gone on.  Hell, I didn’t know half the shit that went on, until I figured it out.  You know, I’ve had a lot of spare time to think, because of that idiot of a judge.  If I wasn’t for him, I probably would have gotten this all straightened out, but I’m stuck here, and my lawyer can’t make any sense of the things I’ve told him so far.  Sydney doesn’t return his calls...I don’t know what the hell is going on back home.”

“You should tell me,” I said sternly.  “I’m trying to help you out.”

He laughs bitterly.  “Why?”

I sigh.  “I just...I just don’t think anybody deserves this...to go through what you’re going through, if they didn’t do anything.”

He sucks in his bottom lip and looks down at the ugly grey table.  He’s quiet for a really long time, and I am too.  “I...I cut her off because I figured she’d crack,” he rasps.  “She can’t handle it...being off the stuff for too long, and without my money she can’t afford it.”

“So you know about the drugs?”

He laughs at me again.  “Fuck, of course I know.  I’ve always known.  We were in rehab together....it just didn’t work out so well for her.”

Trace was in rehab.  That’s news to me, and I wonder if Justin even knew that.  “You were in rehab?”

“Shit happens.  I partied too much, almost had a cardiac arrest.  So I went, I got over it, and that was that.  I put it behind me.  Sydney was pregnant when we met, told me she didn’t know who the father was, so I decided to step up and take care of her and the baby.  Kristy...she’s the only thing that kept me from going back on that shit, and I knew Sydney used but...I tried to keep Kristy away from it if I could.  I...I’ve stayed with Syd because of Kristy.  I don’t think I’ve really felt anything for her in years.  I’ve kept her in luxury so she wouldn’t take Kristy away from me, but...but the whole fucking time she’s been...”

He trails off and sighs into his hands.  He knows exactly what’s going on, and I’m a hundred percent positive that he didn’t do this.  “So make the police question her.”

He shakes his head.  “Ernie says I have a good chance of getting off on probation, and if not, I’ll do a couple of years.  I can handle that.  Kristy needs her mother.”

“Kristy needs a responsible parent,” I tell him seriously.  “You need to do something, say something.  I’ll talk to Justin...”

“No.”

He says it bluntly, sternly, with a cold gaze in his eyes.  

“Why?”

“I have my reasons,” he grunts.

“You’re angry at him,” I say.  “That’s no secret, but what was he supposed to think?”

“He was supposed to trust me.”  He points harshly to his chest.  “After everything, I figured he would at least let me talk to him about this, but it’s like he doesn’t give a fuck.”

“He’s confused.”

He glares at me.  “You’re biased.  You’re fucking him.”

This is pointless.  I sit back in the chair and look up at the ceiling.  Trace is a miserable bastard.  Granted, I can tell that he’s in here for the wrong reason, but it’s like...he’s not greatful that I’m here, talking to him out of the goodness of my heart.  I should leave.  I try to force myself to do it, but something is holding me back.  It’s my conscience, telling me I shouldn’t turn my back on him, because if I do...he really won’t have anybody else.  It’s not fair.  I doubt he’d do the same for me.  “That has nothing to do with this,” I whisper.

“It has everything to do with it,” he says, his voice calm this time.  “You just...you came along and it was like, Justin wasn’t the same. I’ve never, ever seen him this way, with anybody.”

“Doesn’t he have a right to care about somebody else?”

He shrugs a little bit, not meeting my gaze for a few moments.  “I didn’t want to trust you.  I didn’t know what your intentions were.”

“Obviously you needed to look at your own girlfriend, instead of focusing on me,” I snap.  “But this isn’t about me, Trace.  Stop trying to change the subject.  How could Sydney have gotten to your accounts?”

“She had my passwords, she helped me with my records from home,” he mutters as if he’s ashamed.  “Justin didn’t know.  I knew he wouldn’t like it, but I thought I could trust her more than somebody at the office.    I didn’t check the accounts enough.  Little withdrawals were meaningless, I mean...there was so much money coming in.  I just...I just didn’t pay enough attention.  I was too focused on work...”  

He trails off and remains silent.  I know he thinks he’s telling me too much, hell, he might be.  When I talked to his lawyer on the phone though, he told me to try anything that I wanted, because Trace hadn’t been cooperating with him from the start.  The guy knows Trace is innocent, but it’s like...he plead not guilty and now he’s not even trying to help himself.  It’s like he doesn’t care, and now that I know the facts, I can understand why.  “You have to say something.  You can’t just rot in prison.”

“You shouldn’t care.  Just go, go back to him, go live your life.  If you can, check in on Kristy for me.”  He pushes himself up from the table and motions for the officer to come over to us.  “I’ll see you around, and...I’m...I’m sorry for all that shit I said to you.”

I just stare at him.  An apology? Really?  Has he found Jesus or something?  I’m not sure, but it’s like...he’s changed a lot.  He’s a different person now that he’s in prison.  That’s what it took to make him stop acting like a fucking asshole.  He’s actually tolerable now.  Someone that I might be able to get a long with in the real world.

But he’s stuck in here.  

There has to be something I can do.  

“Apology accepted,” I whisper.

He genuinely smiles for me as the officer grips his upper arm and begins to lead him away.    “Bye Abbey.”

He disappears behind the heavy steel door, and soon the only thing I can see is a portion of his retreating backside through the tiny window.  Then he’s gone, and all too soon I’m back on the city street, stunned, and confused as hell.  I decide to walk part of the way back to the penthouse, taking the conversation in, trying to figure out if I should tell Justin about it, and what the hell I can do to help Trace.  When I walk in the door, I find the boys and Francine seated in a semi circle on the floor, playing a game that she brought with her.  Naturally, the boys run to me, hug me around the waist and start to tell me all about their day.  It takes a lot of effort me to focus on them, and when I glance at Francine, I can tell she knows there’s something off with me.  She won’t ask questions though.  She knows when to back off, and soon enough she says goodnight to me and tells me she’ll see us in a couple of days.  Then it’s just me, the boys, and the burly guards who have been sitting on the couch watching TV.

I look at the clock.

If Justin comes home on time, he should be walking in the door any minute.

I’m not prepared.  I hate lying to him, being secretive.  But if I tell him...what happens then?

Lucinda has the boys help roll out some dough for the biscuits she’s making with tonight’s dinner.  I sit on the sofa, far from the bodyguards, anxiously staring at the clock and waiting for the moment Justin decides to walk into the house.

“Anybody home!”

Five forty five on the fucking dot.

Sometimes, especially today, I wish he was still that selfish workaholic asshole I met on the first day.

The worst part? He’s in a great fucking mood.  The boys have ran to him, eager to talk to him.  He picks Davey up and swings him over his shoulder as he walks into the living room where I’m still sitting.  He smiles at me brightly, while Davey laughs loudly and Austin dances around him.  He quickly dismisses the guards for the evening and they make their usual discreet exit.

“Hey.” He leans down and gives me a light kiss, before plopping Davey down next to me.  “You have a good day, baby?”

“Yeah.”  I nod and manage to smile a little.  “You?”

“It was good.”  He nods and sits down on the other side of me, draping and arm over my shoulders and pulling me down against his chest.  “The press have started to back off a little bit.  I think we should be able to breathe before the trial starts.”

I nod, but dont’ say anything as I gaze at the buttons on his dress shirt.

“I figured you’d be happy about that,” he says, obviously put off by my lack of enthusiasm.

“I...I am,” I say softly.

He stokes my hair a little.  “Something happen today?”

I just shrug.  

“Ab.”

He says it like he can read me like a book, and by this point, I’m certain that he can. I look up at him.  “I...I went out today, without the boys.”

He stares at me for a moment.  “Where?”

“I...I went to see Trace.”

He pulls back from me slightly, and I force myself to sit up.  “What do you mean, you went to see Trace?”

I glance over my shoulder, and find the boys standing there, listening intently to our conversation.  “Boys, go back to Lucinda.”

They do it, although I’m sure they’d much rather listen in on our conversation.  “I just...I just wanted to find out some stuff, that’s all.”

He chuckles softly, and rubs his temples in a circular motion.  “I can’t fucking believe you did that without talking to me first.”

“Somebody needed to,” I grunt.

He glares at me.  “He stole from me, and now you’re fucking defending him!”

“He didn’t steal anything!,” I yell.r32;


“Right,” he leans back harshly against the couch and crosses his arms.  “I’m sure that’s exactly what he told you.”

“It’s Sydney.  He doesn’t have solid proof, and he’s not trying to get her to take the fall for this.  It’s just...it’s her, Justin.  I know it’s her.  She had access to all of his accounts, he gave her his passwords so she could help him with some filing from home.  He never told you because he knew you wouldn’t like it.”

He just sits there, staring straight ahead, a stone cold expression on his face.  I feel like I’ve just sabotaged his entire day.  He was high on life when he walked through that door, and now I’ve just made him feel completely betrayed, but damn it...I know there was good in what I did.  There just has to be.  “Talk to him.”

“I’m done talking about this,” he says darkly.  “Just...don’t do it again.  Shit, Abbey...I mean, what the hell are you thinking about?”

I stand straight up and ball my fists at my sides, before he can get off the couch himself.  “I had my doubts, and I went with my gut,” I snap at him.  “I’m not stupid. I’m trying to find out what really happened, so you can sleep at night!”

“I already know what happened,” he grumbles.

“No, you don’t.”  I narrow my eyes at him and glare a little before walking away, and joining the boys in the kitchen.

“Come on, Ab.”

His voice comes quietly after a while.  I’ve been focused on the boys, helping them with the food, so I barely look at him, until I feel him up against me from behind, kissing my neck a little bit.  “Stop,” I mutter, and turn to push him away.

“You really think he’s telling the truth don’t you?” He whispers, not allowing me to ignore him this time.

“I just told you that,” I huff.

His eyebrows furrow, and his face twists up into a confused frown.  I know he’s not sure what to think.  I’ve completely surprised him, but at the same time I think he realizes that I wouldn’t lie to him about something this important.  I’m sure he’s fighting some kind of terrible battle with himself, trying to figure out if he should go talk to his best friend or not.  “What am I supposed to do?”

I shrug and turn back to the boys.  “That’s up to you.”

Dinner is eaten very quietly.  The boys know that there is tension between Justin and I because they keep their gazes focused on their food and nothing else. It’s bad for them.  I wish this thing would just blow over already so we could all move on with our lives.  
Better yet, I wish Justin would get his head out of his ass and realize that he’s not always right about every damn thing that goes on.

“I’ll go,” he says it suddenly as our dinner plates are cleared by Lucinda and dessert is brought out.

I stare at him for a moment, not sure if I heard him right.  “What?”r32;
“I’ll go there, to see him,” he nods.  

“What made you change your mind?”

“You’ve never...you’ve never lead me wrong before,” he says quietly.  “Why would you now?”

I only smile.  I know it’s the only thing I can do, because the Justin I’ve come to love so much is shining through to me right now, doing what’s right.  That’s not just anybody sitting inside a prison cell, that’s his best friend, he knows that, and I can just tell...he’s going to do whatever he has to, to get to the bottom of the situation.  For the first time, he really senses the twist in this whole thing, the possibility of Trace’s innocence.

I guess I wasn’t so wrong to do what I did, after all.

Twenty Two by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
sorry for the long gap between updates...things are nuts as usual.  Hope you enjoy.

I never thought any woman would feel the way that Abbey does about me.  Danielle was getting there, but I held myself back from her way too much, and I know it’s why she left me.  I tried to be that way with Abbey too, but something inside wouldn’t allow me to do it.  My emotions have buckled when it comes to her.  She’s everything...her and the boys, even if I can’t say the three words she wants to hear.  It’s an issue of mine and I’ll admit that I don’t fully understand why I have such a problem admitting how I feel about her.  It’s like this blockage inside of me, telling me that I have to protect myself, and that this is the best way to do it.  It’s like if I don’t say it, and she leaves, I’ll be that much better off.  It’s stupid and messed up.  I mean, we’re into it so deep now that I can’t see a reason why Abbey would want to leave.

Once things calm down and I take us all away for a week or so, maybe I’ll be able to come to terms with some more things.  Maybe I won’t be so afraid of those things she talked to me about in bed that night.  I still feel like shit for ignoring her like I did.  I was just...afraid, that I’d say the wrong thing and upset her.  The day after she told me she loved me, it was all I could think about at work.  I tried to reason with myself, tell myself that I owed it to her to discuss it more rationally, to give her a better explanation than the one I gave her the night before.

But I just couldn’t do it.  I ignored it instead, prayed that Abbey would go with the flow.  She did, and that should have made me feel a lot better.

But it didn’t.

I’ve been bombarded at work, overwhelmed to the point where I’ve locked myself in my office and threatened to fire anybody who disturbs me, but somehow I’ve managed to keep that mood away from boys and Abbey.  I know I have to be different with them now, and making that much of an effort really tires me the hell out.  I wish the world would just stop for a day or two, allow me to catch up and try to get things more in order than they are right now, but that’s impossible.

All that, and I still have to figure out what’s really going on with Trace, even though I don’t want to see him.  Abbey though...I know she wouldn’t have made as much of an effort if she didn’t believe the things that she told me.  She’s too strong willed and she dislikes Trace entirely too much.  I was really angry when she first told me she’d gone to see him, but I eventually realized why she did it, and I forced myself to understand.  She really believes he’s innocent and she wanted me to see that, she wanted to give me a reason to pay him a visit.  If it means getting my best friend back though, I guess I’m willing to try, even though I’ve been really stubborn these past couple of weeks, telling myself that he’s a piece of shit.

I’ve been forced to take a step back now, reevaluate things.  Mac thinks I’m nuts.  He went ballistic when I asked him to help me with this visit, warned me, told me that I shouldn’t be going to see him, that it would only make the media more aggressive towards me if they found out.  But I promised Abbey I would at least go talk to Trace if nothing else, and breaking a promise to her at this point would be a big mistake that I can’t afford to make.  Mac finally gave into my wish, only on the condition that I would bring him with me, and I agreed because I didn’t want a problem.  I know his intentions are good and he’s only trying to protect me from what could potentially turn into a big issue.  A big part of me still wishes I could make this trip on my own though.  I’d be able to act uncivilized, perhaps punch Trace in the face if I felt the need.

I’m still that angry at him.

“Can I ask what this is all about?”  Trace’s lawyer, Ernie, asks Mac as we are patted down and processed through the metal detectors inside the prison.  

“My client would like to ask your client a few things,” Mac tells him once we have been cleared to go through by security.  “He has a right to do that.”

“I really don’t see how this is going to help anything,” Ernie whines as we are lead down a long, dismal hallway by a couple of officers.  “The trial is a week away.  We have our plan set in place, and this is only going to make things more difficult for everybody involved.”

Neither myself or Mac respond to his griping.  There would be no point, because I’m not turning back, and Mac would never do it because he knows I would find another lawyer if he did.  It forces Ernie to press on, he has no choice, because if something is brought up in this conversation today that could help Trace’s case, it’s his job to work on it.

We’re led into a small interview room which I’m sure is reserved for inmates and their lawyers.  It’s small, too small for four people to sit and talk comfortably, and when the door closes, I immediately realize just how uncomfortable I am.  All I can think before Trace is lead into the room is what the hell did I let Abbey talk me into, and when the door opens again, and Trace is led into the room by a guard and forced to sit down, all I want to do is get the hell away from him.

But it’s too late now.

The door closes and Trace immediately looks to Ernie, as if to ask him what the hell I’m doing here.

“Justin wanted to talk,” he explains to Trace quietly.

“Yeah?”  

Trace finally looks at me, and I stare back at him like I don’t know what the fuck to say.  I mean, I know why I’m here, and what I need to discuss with him.  Abbey went over it and over it with me, so much that it’s been drilled into my brain.  But he’s glaring at me with so much hatred in his eyes, and he looks so worn out, so torn apart, that I can’t find the words.

“So you wanna talk now,” Trace laughs and leans back in his seat, casually crossing his arms over his chest.  “Let me guess, Abbey told you about our little visit, right?”

I look down at the table.  “I just...”

“Fuck you, Justin,” he says darkly.  

My head snaps up and I rise slightly from the table, feeling Macs hand on my shoulder, trying to keep my temper at bay.  “What was I supposed to think when I found out the money was missing?” I seethe.

“You could have came to me, and I would have figured it out!” He snaps at me.

“You never told me about Merril Lynch,” I grit out.  “I couldn’t fucking trust you once I found that out.”

“Oh I bet Trump told you right? Nice of you to fill me in so I could explain, but I guess that’s what happens when your head is shoved up your ass twenty four hours a day!”

“Like you’re any better!”

“Would you two calm down please!” Mac yells and forcefully pulls me down into my chair.  “This is going nowhere.  You said you were going to be able to keep your head, Justin.”r32;
I just sit in the chair and glare at Trace, angry and confused all at the same time.  

“When that happened...” Trace speaks up slowly, moments later.  “At Merrill Lynch...I...I was having a drug problem.  I needed money, and the guy I was working with told me I could have a cut if I helped him fudge over the books.  He was my boss so I just went with it.  It was stupid.  I regret it, and...I didn’t tell you because I was trying to start my life over.  I didn’t need that shit haunting me anymore.”

“Yeah, well look where it got you,” I grunt.  “If I knew maybe...”

“You should have trusted me regardless,” he interrupts, sternly.  “Justin, in all these years when I have I ever lied to you?  When have I ever tried to fuck you over?”

He’s right.  I sit back and take it all in.  I didn’t listen to him.  I didn’t try to ask him about it, because we’d been having issues anyway due to my situation with Abbey.  I should have cleared my head.  I should have just asked him if he was taking money.  Fuck, sitting here with him now, I know he would have told me the truth and gotten to the bottom of it.  I didn’t trust him enough.  My own partner.  The one...the only one...who helped me get to where I am today.

I’m starting to feel horrible, really horrible for the first time since he was arrested.  

“I mean, yeah, okay, I’ve been pissed about Abbey,” he tells me.  “But I didn’t get it and...I guess, maybe I’m starting to.  I shouldn’t have been such a dick about it.  Things have been fucking nuts since your brothers came out here too, Justin.  Lately I’ve felt like you could care less how hard I’ve been working to make you look good.  When Trump came and he didn’t want me around, I knew he remembered me.  I knew he would probably tell you about my past too, but I didn’t count on all of this happening.”  He rubs his hands over his face and through his messy hair.

I know he’s being the most honest and genuine he’s been with me in a very long time.  “So who fucked with the money,” I whisper.

He shakes his head.  “Just get out of here,” he whimpers.  “Just go.”

“Damn it.”  I pound my fist on the table and he finally looks at me.  “Why the fuck are you gonna take the fall for somebody else?”

“I have my reasons,” he mutters.

“Well I’m not gonna fucking let you, and if your lawyer here is as great as he claims, he’d be forcing you to tell him!”  I revert my angry glare to Ernie.  “Why are you just letting him rot in prison?”

“I have no evidence!” He yells.  “What would you like me to do, Mr. Timberlake? Pull it out of my ass?”  He gets up and angrily tosses his chair to the side.  “I’m tired of this shit. I quit!”

The three of us stare at him, open mouthed as he bangs on the door and calls for the guard to come let him out.  The door opens, and Ernie doesn’t look back as he storms out.

“Mother fucker,” Trace scoffs and puts his face in his hands.  “That’s just great.”

I give Mac a pleading look, and despite the fact that he’s rolling his eyes, I know he’s going to give in.

“If you tell me what’s going on, I’ll represent you,” Mac tells him softly.

Trace doesn’t answer.

“That offer is about to walk out the door in five seconds,” I warn him.  “Wake the fuck up man.  If...if you’re not guilty of this I want you in the clear.  I want you back where you belong.”

“Even if I tell you...how am I gonna prove it?” He asks softly.  “It’s he said she said.”

“So it is Sydney?” I ask.

He shrugs.  “She’s the only one who could have done it, but I have no proof of that.  It’s better if I just take the heat for this, Justin.”

“Hey, you plead not guilty,” I snicker.

“I was in shock,” he grunts.  “I didn’t know what else to think except that I didn’t do this.”

“I’ll talk to the district attorney,” Mac tells us.  “We can have him meet with you, and you can tell him what you’re telling us.  They can bring her in for questioning, Trace.”

He laughs heartily.  “You think she’s gonna confess?”

“It’s possible,” Mac says.

“She’s not gonna talk to the cops,” Trace says seriously.  “She hates the cops.”

I sit back in the chair, and stroke my chin.  For the first time, I know...I know Trace is innocent.  He didn’t do this.  He would never betray me.  Sydney...she did this, because of her own fucked up desires and she’s willing to let the one person who has stood by her and given her everything go down for it.  “Maybe she’d talk to somebody that she trusts.”

Trace stares at me.  “Like who?  She thinks I’m oblivious.  If I start asking questions she’s going to know I’ve figured the shit out.”

“I could talk to her,” I say.  “If I do it right, she won’t suspect a thing.”

“You,” Trace scoffs.

I shrug.  “She knows I have the means to provide for her.  I’m willing to bet she’d tell me anything I wanted to know if I offered to give her what she wants.”

Trace is silent, starts to think very hard about something, and I let him.  I give him as much time as he needs now, because I gave him none in the beginning of this whole thing.  “I don’t...I don’t want Kristy put in the middle of this,” he says slowly.

“I’ll have Abbey take her for a couple of days,” I reassure him.  “She’ll be fine.”

“Justin can wear a wire,” Mac speaks up.  “We’ll work it out with the DA.  It’s worth a shot, Trace.  I’ll tell them you’ve sought out new council and get the trial pushed back.”

He sighs and shakes his head.  “You’ll never pull it off.  That judge hates me.”

“Why don’t you just wait and see what happens?” I grunt at him, angry that he’s not taking the idea seriously.  “Mac is trying to help you out and he doesn’t have to

“Fine, whatever,” he grumbles and get up from his seat.  “I guess I’ll talk to you soon.”

Mac just nods and I can only stare at Trace as he knocks on the door so the guard will come get him.  I don’t know what the fuck is going to happen, and now...now I’m going to go try and get Sydney to confess all this shit to me? Hell, can I even do it? Am I that deceptive? That persuasive?

I guess I’ll find out.
*************
It’s been a week since I visited Trace.  Mac pulled out all the stops, made sure to sweet talk the judge into giving him a little time to compile Trace’s defense.  From what I’ve been told, it wasn’t easy.  The judge originally was only going to give Mac a three day extension, but Mac is a high priced lawyer and knows how to get his way when it comes to things like that.

He got a months extension, and that’s good.  It’s buying us some much needed time to get Sydney exactly where we want her.  Mac has been consulting with the DA.  I guess he went and talked to Trace with the DA too, and now they all want to see me again on Monday to discuss how this is going to go down.

When I came home that evening from the prison, Abbey was sitting on the sofa in the living room, one of my brothers on either side of her, staring at me with that, ‘I told you so’ look on her face.  I didn’t say anything, just sighed and smiled slightly as I made my way over to her and took a seat beside Davey, before leaning over to kiss her cheek.  

“Issue solved?”

I nuzzled my face into her neck and sighed into her.  “I hope so.”

We haven’t spoke of the situation since.  I think Abbey feels better to know that I believe her, that I’m trying to get Trace vindicated so we can all move on with our lives.  All she wanted to do was prove a point to me, and well...I guess she did it.  I’m trying to come to terms with the fact that I stopped trusting my best friend, just because of a story that was told to me by someone I respect.  I was a fool.  I guess I’ve always been a fool...vulnerable.  Somebody who can’t trust people.  Hell, have I ever trusted Trace? I mean, I let him help me out in the beginning but did I ever actually open myself up to him all the way? No...but now I know that he never told me the truth about his past either.

We’re even.


Drugs are dangerous, and it scares me that his life was controlled by them at one time.  I can now understand why he’s such a hard ass at times, and why that trait was always instilled in me by him when he was teaching me the tricks of the trade.  He’s been through shit, much worse than anything I’ve ever gone through.  I wish he could have told me about it though.  I think...I think I would have listened and tried to understand, especially in the beginning.  Then again, if I’d let Trace’s past slip to some of the people that bumped us up the chain in the beginning of my career, I doubt they would have helped us at all.  He did this to benefit us, to give us careers, and make us strong entities in the Wall Street world.  Where did it get him? Locked in a jail cell.

I hope that one day, he can forgive me for turning my back on him.

Work is better.  Trump is overseas right now, so he hasn’t been up my ass every five minutes about our business venture.  I’m hoping by the time he gets back, the situation with Trace will be sorted out, and we can all get down to business.  Now that I know Trace is innocent, I have no intention on moving forward with the hotel venture without him.  I’ll tell Trump that too, and I know he won’t turn me down.  He wants my business and exposure too badly, even if he acts cocky...acts like he’s in control.

I’m always in control when it comes to my business.

In the midst of everything, I almost forgot Davey’s birthday was this weekend.  Abbey discreetly reminded me a couple of nights ago while she was getting into bed.  I felt like shit that I hadn’t remembered.  Hell, I hadn’t even circled it on my desk calendar at work or had Cheryl make a note of it.  I can remember every client on my account list, and just about everything else that has to do with Goldman Sachs, but I can’t remember something as simple as my kid brothers birthday.

Needless to say, I felt like a loser.

“A lot has been going on,” Abbey tried to reassure me.  “If it constitutes for anything, I’m not upset about it.”

I just shrugged.  “Yeah, but I can’t keep forgetting important shit like this.”

“Hey, isn’t that why I’m here?” she smirked.  “To make you remember your important shit?”

I kissed her lightly on the mouth.  “You’re here for more than just that,” I chuckled.  “I enjoy doing extracurricular activities with you too.”

“Oh please,” she rolled her eyes, but still laughed.

It was the first time we’d had really enjoyable sex since Trace went to prison.  It was like some great weight had been lifted off of the two of us.  No, everything wasn’t settled yet.  There was still Sydney to handle, a plan that needed to be put in place so she would be tricked into confessing exactly what part she played in stealing the money.  For some reason though, I just knew it was going to work out, and Abbey seemed to feel the same way.  We could relax a little bit.  It felt damn good, to say the least.

I suggested we take both the kids to Six Flags to celebrate Davey’s big day, but Abbey said that he might get a little bit freaked out in such a big place.  It angered me a little bit.  I want the kid to snap out of this fragile stage in his life, and all Abbey can seem to do is take things slowly, like baby steps.  It doesn’t make sense to me, but I care about her too much to argue.  After all, she’s with both of them more than I am, and Davey seems very comfortable with the decisions she makes in his life.  He’s the happiest I’ve ever seen him.  He smiles and laughs, even talks every now and then. That’s why I gave in when she suggested we go to Victoria Gardens in Central Park, even though I knew Austin would be bored as hell.  It’s a kiddie park, but then again, it’s not Austin’s birthday.

“This is boring.”  Austin turns around and leans against the railing while I wait for Davey and Abbey to come around the tracks again.  “Why couldn’t we go to the big park?”

“When it’s your birthday we can go to the big park.”  I plaster a smile on my face as the little train makes it’s way past us again, and wave stupidly at Abbey and Davey as they wave at the two of us.  

“You shoulda let Kristy come,” he mutters.  “At least we could be bored together.”

I’ve kept the reason that Kristy can’t come around from him, and I know Abbey has as well.  It would be too weird to explain everything to him.  Of course he knows that something in going on.  The bodyguards and paparazzi have proven that, but the less details he knows, the better.  “I couldn’t.”

“Why?” He grunts.

“She’s...she’s busy with her mom right now,” I explain gently.  “I’ll try to get her to come over soon though.  Maybe next week or the week after.”

“Somebody in school told me that Trace stole a lot of money from you.  I bet that’s why she can’t come over anymore.”r32;r32;That’s great.  I’m glad I’m paying thirty grand a semester to send him to Dalton, so he can learn more about my personal life.  “It’s complicated,” I grunt.  “And nothing you need to concern yourself with.”

He’s quiet as he turns back around to observe the slow moving train.  I know he gets it, and by now he knows when and when not to push a subject with me.  Hell, I only just gave him back his x-box the other day because he’s been behaving so well.  “You wanna go play the whac-a-mole?”

He eyes me slightly.  “That’s dumb.”

I lean over the railing and laugh a little.  “Yeah, you’re right.”

“I’d beat you anyway.”

“You think so, huh?”

He nods.  “I used to beat mom all the time at the county fa...”  He stops, mid-sentence, obviously having caught himself in a happy memory with our mother.  It’s the first time he’s mentioned her since the Hamptons, and it’s awkward for him.  It’s even more awkward for me.

“It’s okay, Aus,” I reassure him with a slight pat on his back.

He jerks away from my touch and looks down at the ground.  “No, it’s not,” he whispers.  “I...I know you don’t like it when I talk about her.”

He’s right.  It’s the shittiest I’ve felt all day.  “You...you can talk about her.”

“I hate talking about her with you.”

He walks away from me.

Fuck, I can’t win.  I thought things were better...that we were getting somewhere.  I guess it’s harder than I thought, breaking through to him.  It’s taking a lot longer than I would have hoped and maybe...maybe that’s my fault for pushing him, for making him pack up his life in day to come live out here with me.

But I didn’t have a choice.

“What’s wrong with Austin?”

I turn to face Abbey.  The ride has ended and she’s standing before me while Davey tugs on her hand, willing her to move on to the next ride.  “He’s being temperamental,” I say, trying to laugh it off.  “Don’t worry about it.”

She’s staring after him like she knows I’m full of it, and before long she’s placed Davey in my care and gone after him.  I know he’ll talk to her about it, and that’s fine.  It’s better that he can confide in one of us, even if it isn’t me.

“Justin, I want to go over there!”  

I look down at Davey and he’s pointing to someplace in the distance.  I can make out a kiddie speedboat ride, and I just know he wants me to get on the thing with him.  I groan inwardly.  It’s not my thing, looking like an asshole, but I think Abbey would slap me right now if I went over there and tried to make her do this instead of talking to Austin.  So I suck it up and take him.  I get in the little boat and my knees are up to my chin, but Davey is getting a kick out of it.  The thing literally goes about a half a mile an hour.  It’s the most boring thing ever, but I don’t let my feelings show.  Davey’s smile is too wide, and he’s having way too much fun.  I’m not going to be the one to spoil it for him.  Hell, I already killed Austin’s mood.

Davey manages to get me on the Fun Slide, the Mini Mouse, and the Happy Swing with him before I’m finally able to persuade him to come find Abbey with me.  I find Abbey and Austin a few minutes later sitting quietly on a bench that overlooks the rest of the amusement park, eating some cotton candy.  His head is resting on her shoulder.  I know he’s upset, and damn...I just...I hate it.  I want him to suck it up.  “What’s the problem?” I grunt.

Abbey looks over her shoulder as she rubs Austin’s back.  “We’re just taking a break,” she tells me, the look in her eyes saying more than what she’s letting on.  

“Austin,” I say gently.  “Look...it’s not a big deal about Mom, okay?”

He sniffles a little bit and slowly looks back at me.  “I just...I just miss my mom and dad,” he whispers.

I just stand there, not knowing what the fuck to say to him.  Davey is very quiet.  I can feel him digging his fingers into my thigh, and I have to pry them off.  

“How about we go to Serendipity.”  Abbey offers after a moment, obviously trying to lighten the mood somewhat.  “You love it there, right Davey?  I hear they have a Happy Birthday Sundae.”

He nods.  I take it as a cue to get the hell out of here.  “Yeah, lets go.”  I take Davey’s hand again, and Abbey immediately jumps up from the bench, persuading Austin to follow suit.  I call Quincy, and he meets us at the nearest street corner, and we head to the ice cream parlor.  It’s crowded, but I’m thankful for the noise.  It’s a nice distraction from the miserable mood both of my brothers are now in.  Christ, all this drama over whac-a-mole?

I should have thought twice I guess.  I mean....that was my moms favorite game at the fair.  I’m an idiot.

We all get massive sundaes, and pass them around in a circle so we can all have a taste of each others.  I really love this place.  Before Abbey, I’d only been once.  Trace took Kristy out for her birthday, but we’d been so eager to talk business that I’d joined them for ice cream.  It was sick.  I’m trying not to be that way so much....

But damn it, now my phone is ringing.  

My hand immediately grabs it out of my pocket, on reflex.  Abbey stares at me as I hold it in front of me and look at the screen.  I know she doesn’t want me to answer but...this is important.  I spend the next twenty minutes on the phone with Dennis, talking about profit margin and an increase in a few stocks that we’ve recently bought into.  Fuck, I know Abbey is livid because she won’t even look at me.  Austin has his head on the table, and Davey is just staring into space.

“Really, Justin?” Abbey grunts the second I finish the call.  “Was that necessary?”

I roll my eyes.  “Come on, it was an important call.”

“Right.”

She looks back at her ice cream and I know I’m screwed.  She’s pissed, and I should have known better.  “Sorry,” I mutter.

“You do it all the time.  I haven’t said anything, but I’m really sick of it, and I’m sure the boys are too.”

“Hey, I’ve been cutting back.”  I say, as I shove a spoonful of ice cream into my mouth.  “A lot’s been going on.”r32;


“Still, it’s Davey’s birthday,” she scowls.  “I thought you would have at least turned the damn thing off for a couple of hours.”

I shrug.  “I can’t.  I’m on call for the moment.”

“Business first,” she laughs sadly.  “I forgot.”

“That’s not fair,” I grunt.

“It is.”  She nods.  “C’mon boys.”  

She gets up from the table and the boys immediately do the same.  Austin won’t look at me.  He just seems sad and disappointed, and Davey has gone into one of his infamous trances.  “Wait,” I call out to her as she starts to walk off with the boys.  “You’re not giving me a chance!" 

She stops, sighs and looks back at me.  “I’m not happy with you right now.”

I shrug.  “I’ll make it up to you...all of you.  Let’s have Quincy take us to the mall or something.”

She shakes her head.  “You can’t just buy us out,” she says sternly.  ‘I know that’s what you’re going to do, Justin.”

She’s trying to make a point with me, but damn it, I’m not in the mood for any of this.  I don’t really give a fuck about what I’m supposed to be doing.  It’s my damn life.  This is the way I live it.  “I have a job to do,” I tell her.  “Things are complicated right now and the people that work under me, need my input.  I’m out with you three when I could be conferencing with my partners.  I’d appreciate a little gratitude.”

“They’re more important than the damn office!” She yells at me as she points to the boys.  “Things have been hard enough, what with guards and press and everything!  Can’t you just pay attention to us for more than a couple of hours a day!”

People around us are whispering and glancing at us. I just want to get the hell out of here.  “Abbey...”

“Screw you.”  She takes the boys by the hands and yanks them out of Serendipity, leaving me to pay the bill and be embarrassed as hell in public.  But I refuse to let it get me down.  I pay the bill...and then, I call Dennis back.  He’s happy to hear from me.  He doesn’t care that I’m supposed to be family man of the year right now.  He’d rather that I be on the phone with him.  It’s where I belong, after all.  This is my life.  I’ve been trying to juggle all of this...family and work, and maybe....maybe I’m just not cut out for it.

Maybe when I get Trace out of jail, I’ll stop trying so damn hard.  My feelings for Abbey aren’t going to change of course, but if she can’t understand they way I need to run my business, there’s no sense in putting this much effort into ‘family time’ with her.

I’m just not cut out for it I guess.

I love my money too much, even now.  Even when I have the best girl in New York City on my arm and two brothers that love me more than anything in the world

I know I’ll never change, and that’s a harsh fucking reality to face.

Twenty Three by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
it's short, but enjoy it!
Justin is a businessman, first and foremost.  That’s what he’s always been, and so...I don’t know why I should expect him to change so drastically because of me...because of the boys.  Maybe it’s selfish of me to expect that from him.  Maybe I need to accept the fact that he needs to be on his phone, needs to do work at all hours of the day and night.  I shouldn’t have been such a bitch, shouldn’t have given him the cold shoulder on Davey’s birthday.  I mean, he’s done a lot for me, dug me out of the rut I was in for six years and showed me I could have a life.

Maybe I let it go to my head.  Maybe I’m the one who’s becoming selfish now.

I mean, he’s not even in love with me and I’m expecting him to change everything about himself for my sake.

Maybe that’s not fair.  I should give him a little more credit I guess.  He has more of a heart now than he did in the beginning.  I should be thankful for that and think of nothing else.  He pissed me off though.  It was Davey’s birthday and his phone conversation seemed to be more important to him.  I stormed out of the restaurant with the boys and brooded in the car until he finally decided to join us, the phone jammed in his ear once again.

We didn’t speak for the rest of the night.

We’ve been fighting entirely too much lately.  It sucks.  I thought things were going to be so much better after the Hamptons.  Thought all of our lives were going to change for the better, but I’ve never been this stressed out over our relationship before.  I know it’s because of everything going on with Trace, but still...I’m not exactly cut out to handle catastrophe.  I’ve been through a huge one in my life.  One that I could barely handle. Now I’ve been thrust into a lifestyle that I was completely unprepared for.  But hey...I wanted it right?  Justin asked me to be with him and I said yes.  Saying yes meant getting him, the boys, and everything else that goes along with them.

I just want Justin to talk to Sydney, and get Trace out of jail, so that I can start to regain a little bit of my sanity.

But it seems to be taking fuckin’ forever for him to do it.

It’s probably not his fault.  I’m sure there’s a plan in place, but I wouldn’t know about it, since I haven’t discussed it with him.  We haven’t been speaking this week.  I’m still mad at him about the phone and he’s still too pig headed to come down off his throne and admit that he was an asshole.  The boys know something is wrong.  Austin keeps asking me if I’m angry at Justin...if I’m going to leave.  I keep having to reassure him that I would never leave, but I won’t really get into my feelings for Justin.  He’s just a kid, doesn’t need to concern himself with our relationship.  I want him to focus on school, on making friends, and being happy.

He needs to be happy.

It seems like everything reminds him in some small way of his parents.  It happens all the time when we’re together, and at Davey’s birthday it was no different.  Justin reacted like it was the first time he ever saw the kid so upset and looking back on it now, I guess I can say that I had started to become annoyed with Justin right there at Victoria Gardens.  He just...doesn’t want to take the time to let Austin have his emotional moments.  The Hamptons was the exception, but Justin was on vacation and out of the work mindset then.  He was a different person.  As soon as we got back to the city he immediately transformed back into business Justin.  I haven’t seen Hamptons Justin since.  Not even on the weekends.

I hate it, but I’m starting to question whether or not I made the right decision by becoming Justin’s girlfriend.  I haven’t asked Charlene.  I know she’ll just tell me I’m overreacting, but she’s not around us...she couldn’t know that.

The only person I have to rely on is myself.

And my gut is telling me that my place is here, with him.

Today I took Davey to look at a school that Francine recommended.  I didn’t tell Justin, because it was a special needs school and I figured the most he would do was complain and tell me it was out of the question.  I know Brimwood is the place that Davey belongs.  Of course, he clung to me the entire time we walked around with the lady who was giving us the grand tour.  He was scared out of his mind, and it was a sure sign that he wouldn’t last a day in public school.  I liked the place.  It seems very gentle and open to whatever Davey is feeling on a particular day.  It’s exactly what he needs, and the first chance I get I’m going to discuss it with Justin, hopefully persuade him to go take a tour of the place himself.

I mean, if we work out our relationship issues anytime soon.

Justin didn’t come home for dinner tonight, and last night, he was an hour late.  He didn’t say much, just made an excuse that he was at the office.  Austin glared at him, but didn’t say anything, and Davey just sat at the table quietly, staring down at his plate of food.  I put up with the excuse because I didn’t feel like arguing with him.

But tonight I just know...he’s slipping.

Things are starting to get back to the way they used to be, and that’s very bad.

I sit on the sofa with my arms crossed as I watch the mindless crap flashing across the TV screen.  The boys went to bed an hour ago, and it was only then that I dismissed the guards.  Usually they won’t leave until Justin comes home, but I told them there was no point staying, because I didn't know when Justin would walk through the door.  They agreed, reluctantly, and I was thankful to be rid of them.  Lucinda wet off to iron Justin’s clothes shortly after, and then I was left alone.  I’m still sitting here, still alone, for the first time in weeks.  Justin isn’t at my side, letting me rest my head on his shoulder, reassuring me that everything is okay.

Tonight, he doesn’t care.

He didn’t even call me.  Not once, all day.

I hear the front door open and shut again.  The familiar “plunk” sound of his briefcase hitting the floor next to the door hits my ears, and then his voice comes.  He’s on his phone, again.  I start to rise from the sofa, ready to go hide in one of the spare bedrooms so I don’t have to face him.  I know my temper is flared up right now, and I don’t feel like yelling tonight, but the moment I take one step forward I find myself face to face with him.

“I’ll call you back, Dennis.”  Justin pulls the Blackberry away from his ear and drops it into his pocket.  “Hey.”

He looks run down, and I’m sure work was no party for him today, but I’m too angry to bother asking him about it.  “Hi.”  I grumble it and start past him.

“So how long is it gonna be before we start talking to each other again,” he calls back to me.

I stop in my tracks, squeeze my eyes shut and groan inwardly.  Of course, he’s going to throw it in my face right now, on the night he didn’t bother to show up for dinner.  “When you stop acting like a selfish prick,” I say, when I turn back to face him again.

He chuckles lightly and scratches his brow.  “So that’s how it’s gonna be?”

I shrug.  “You’re the one who’s slipping, not me.”

“Slipping?” He scoffs.  “The fuck does that mean?”

“It means you’re turning back into the guy I met on my interview day,” I nod.  “Get it now?”

“I answer my phone and now I’m a selfish prick who’s slipping?”

“You...god!” I clench my fists at my sides.  “Don’t you get it! You’re not...here.  You’re everywhere else.”

“I thought you understood about the office,” he says to me quietly.  “You always seemed to before, Abbey.”

I shake my head.  “You were balancing it out for a while.  Then...it’s like, something just snapped.”

“Well, I think the current situation might be a clue as to why,” he says to me, like I’m stupid.  “Shit, Ab.  I’m trying.  You know I’m trying.”

“Where were you tonight then?” I snap.  

“Trumps back in town,” he mutters.  “I had to go to dinner with him and a bunch of other people.”

“So you couldn’t have called?”

He just stares at me.

“Exactly.”  

I storm away from him, and he doesn’t follow me.  I go into the first bedroom I run into...Justin’s, and collapse onto the bed, sobbing, not knowing what the hell to do.  I’m crying so hard, and I don’t even know why.  Is it because I’m stressed from everything else, or simply because I don’t feel like Justin gives a damn about anything we’ve been building together?r32;
“Ab.”

His voice comes, what seems to be hours later, very gently.  My eyes are closed.  I stopped crying long ago, but I haven’t fallen asleep just yet.  I try to pretend I am though.  I try so hard.  But when I feel him crawl into the bed and brush his fingers gently across my cheek, I have no choice but to look at him.  

“I...I didn’t mean to make you this upset. I figured you would realize I was working.”

I turn over so my back is facing him.  “Lame excuse,” I mutter.

“Look, what is it?” He asks me gently.  “I’m sorry about Davey’s birthday, all right? I...I shouldn’t have taken the call.  It’s just...I have all of these people yanking me in every direction right now.  They’re clueless without me, and I dont’ have Trace to handle little shit like I did before.  Last night and today...I just got wrapped up in meetings, and then dinner...Trump just pulled me out the door.  I should have called.  I’m sorry.  I...I hate not talking to you, Ab.  You’re my sanity.  I...I care about you so much.”

I don’t want to turn over.  God, I don’t want to give in.  But I’m in such need of him, that I can’t help myself.  I turn back over, and sigh harshly.  “It’s really hard for me to believe you right now.”

“This thing with Sydney is almost done.”  He reaches out and smoothes some hair back behind my ear.  “Things will be better really soon.  I promise.”

“What about Trump,” I whisper, uncertainly.  “He’s still going to be around, pulling you every which way.”

“That’s...something else I wanted to talk to you about,” he says, not quite meeting my gaze.

“What?”

“I’m going to have to start going on a lot of business trips pretty soon,” he sighs.  “It’s for the welfare of the new hotel project, and a positive thing, but...I’m going to be gone a lot more.  I’d...I’d like to take you and the boys with me...”r32;
“Austin has school.  Soon Davey will too,” I say, bluntly.

He’s silent for a moment.  “I know.”

I can’t look him in the eyes.  I thought we were almost over the hump.  That Trace would be vindicated and everything would go back to normal, but I should have known better.  I can just tell by the look in Justin’s eyes that his business trips are going to be keeping him away a lot of the time.  How is that supposed to help our relationship?  “So I’m just supposed to wait around for you?”

“I thought we would work something out with the boys’ school.  Or maybe I could just hire a traveling tutor for them instead.”

I roll my eyes.  “That’s not a normal way for them to grow up.”

“Yeah...”  He trails off and gently grasps my hand in his.  “But I don’t want to be away from you, either.”

I sigh and bite my bottom lip.  “It’s not about me, or you, though.  It’s about the boys.”

“If I leave, things will get worse,” he nods.  “And I just found you.  I...I don’t want to lose you.”

I just shrug.  “Then I guess you need to make some decisions.”

He stares at me for a long time.  He seems shocked.  Shocked that I’m asking him to choose.  “I’ve worked my ass off for an opportunity this big.”

I laugh a little.  “Sorry that we’re such a burden on you, Justin.”

“I didn’t say that,” he grunts.  “I just...you don’t get it...”

“Oh I get it,” I interrupt him.  “It’s about money.  Like you don’t have enough of it.”

“It’s not just about that...”

“What’s it about then? Grandeur? So you can brag to all your friends that you have a hotel with your name on it?  You’re willing to risk this relationship and your brother’s well beings for that?”

“You know what, I’m sorry I brought this up at all.”  He pulls away from me and slides over a little so our bodies are no longer in contact.  “You won’t listen to me.”

“I’m giving you my opinion.  I’m not going to lay here with you and tell you that I’m fine with something that I’m not.  You need to figure out what’s more important to you.”

His back is turned to me now, and the covers are pulled up around his shoulders.  “Forget it.”

“Child.”

He doesn’t answer me.  I know he’s done discussing the subject with me.

It makes me want to pack my bags and leave.

But there are two things stopping me, and I couldn’t live with myself if I left them right now.  I’m all they have, apparently, because Justin’s project is becoming more important.  I’m afraid to see what his attitude will be like in a months time.  If our so called relationship will even exist.  The type of woman he’s used to dating would be content if he left her his credit card, kissed her goodbye, and told her he would see her in a few weeks.  But that’s not me.  I want companionship.  I want to be loved.

It’s the first time in forever, that I’ve longed for Braeden.

This can’t be good.
Twenty Four by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Yes I'm sorry it's been so long! A batch of stubbornness from the muse and work had brought the story to a slight pause but I conjured up a small update for you all :) Enjoy!

How the fuck can she ask me to choose?

It’s the only question that’s been running through my head all morning, while I’ve tried to focus on the stocks and trades flashing at me on the computer screen.  My mind isn’t there.  It’s only on her.  On the fact that she could possibly walk right out on me if I’m not careful.  But...but what the hell am I supposed to do? Tell Trump to never mind? That I’m not interested in his partnership? I have an image to uphold.  I have my career to worry about.  If I backed out now, he could destroy everything I’ve worked so hard for.  I can’t have that.

But I can’t lose her either.

Of all the times for Trace to be in a predicament...

I need him so damn bad right now.

I should have talked to her last night.  Should have said more, opened up to her more, talked to her more, but I couldn’t.  I’m too tense, too overwhelmed between work and all this shit with Sydney.  I mean, it’s all up to me.  What I say when I see her will determine Trace’s release from prison, and I owe it to him to get it right the first time.

The intercom on my phone buzzes, snapping me out of my thoughts for the first time in hours.

“Sir,” Cheryl’s voice comes over the speaker brightly.

“Yeah.”  I lean my head against my fist.

“Mr. Trump to see you.”

Fuck.  “Sure, send him through.”

I straighten myself in my chair, turn off my problems at home, and turn on my professional side.  One thing I know I can’t do, is show Trump that I can be an emotional wreck when it comes to my family...my girlfriend.  Trump isn’t a billionaire because he’s family oriented, and I know that.  To make this relationship work, I can’t involve him with my home issues.

At the same time...Abbey really has my mind working.  Has me wondering if I’m making the right decision, if I shouldn’t just cut this project off so I can focus on the boys.  I mean she has a point, it’s not like I don’t have enough money.  But man, just thinking about being at that level...as big as Trump, hell maybe even bigger.  That’s so fucking tempting.  I’m young. I could set records, become an even bigger icon.

But can I afford the price I’ll have to pay?  Will Abbey really break it off with me? I’d like to say no...

But at the same time, Abbey is independent enough to survive without me.  She’s with me for me, for the person who took her to the Italian street festival.  She doesn’t care about my money, and I always tend to forget that she’s not like the rest of the women I’ve met in the past.

“Justin.”  Trump walks into my office with a smile on his face and makes his way over to my desk with his hand stuck out.

“Mr. Trump.”  I flash him a professional smile as I stand up and shake his hand from across the desk, and we both take our respective seats.

“I spoke with our lead designer this morning, about the proposition that Mr. Zeinmen discussed at last nights dinner,” he nods.  “She’s very interested in seeing the artwork.”

If there’s one thing I love it’s art, and when Trump told me that one of the biggest art collectors in New York City wanted to sit down and have dinner with us last night to offer up some of his paintings for our very first midtown hotel, I can’t deny that I dropped everything else to go.  It was only later, during dessert, that I remembered how pissed Abbey was going to be. I mean, I hadn’t even thought to call her.  I knew I was an idiot, but I knew that if I bothered calling at that point, it wouldn’t have made any difference.  “That’s great.”  I try to sound enthusiastic, but I fail.  

Abbey is having a huge effect on me, and it’s starting to affect how I work.

Trace warned me this would happen.

“Son, are you sure everything is okay?” Trump smirks and leans forward a little.  “Are you feeling well?”r32;
I shrug and laugh it off.  “Everything is fine.  I’ve just had a busy morning...”

“Between the trial, your brothers, and that girlfriend of yours...I’m surprised you haven’t folded up yet,” he chuckles.  

I sigh harshly.  I don’t want to get too personal with this man.  That fact that he lent his own personal security out to me means a lot, but I never wanted to get into my girlfriends personality or how needy my brothers are.  I don’t want to come off as insecure or weak.  I want him to treat me like everybody else he does business with.  “It’s a lot but I’m managing,” I whisper.

He narrows his eyes at me.  “What about the trip to Geneva next month?”  

I shrug and spin myself around in the chair to look out of my windows.  “I’ll get through it.”

“I can tell the type of woman that Ms. Feldman is, Justin,” he nods.  “She’s nothing like the women that you and I are usually involved with.  I can tell she’s not thrilled with the idea of you being gone for weeks at a time.”

I’m quiet.  I don’t know what the hell to say, because he’s exactly right.  It shows me that he’s a lot wiser than I’ve made him out to be.  He has a lot more life experience, he’s older...he knows how to handle separation from his family.  I don’t, because I’ve never had to before.  It’s going to hold me back, and he knows that.  He knows I can’t do both.

“I think you should probably think about how committed you’re willing to be in this project,” he says softly.  “Like I’ve said, I’m thrilled to work with you, but I need you to give me the same effort that I’m giving you.  Unfortunately, in this business, that type of effort always causes your family time to become non existent.”

I whirl around to face him.  “So you’re asking me to choose?”

“I haven’t been through three marriages because I wasn’t a bad husband,” he laughs lightly.  “Making money takes sacrifices.  Too many of them at times.”  He stands up and sticks out his hand again.  “So will I see you on the flight?”

I stand up and stare at him for several minutes, dumfounded.  I also find myself thinking...how much I would miss her.  How much I would miss laughing with her and spending the night with her in my arms.  How much I would miss waking up to her light kiss on my face.  And the boys...they would just be completely miserable all the time.  With as much as they’ve been through, as much shit as I’ve put them through, they deserve better than that from me now.

Hell, maybe it was never my destiny to be a hotel giant.  Maybe my destiny is to be right here, running this company and spending time with my brothers and strengthening my relationship with my girlfriend.

“Good luck, sir,” I shake his hand firmly, looking him right in the eyes.  “I appreciate the opportunity.”

He sighs a little bit.  “It’s a disappointment but...I think you might just be making the right choice.  Often, I find myself wondering what would have happened if I hadn’t made certain choices like this one back when I was your age.  Maybe I would still be with my first wife,” he laughs.  “I’ll be in touch.”

I nod.

Then he’s gone.

I sit down roughly at my desk and put my head in my hands.  Shit, what did I do? Should I have done that?  Did I just turn down the biggest opportunity of my career?

“Sir.”

Cheryl’s voice comes over the intercome again, but I don’t pick my head out of my hands.  “Hm.”

“Ms. Feldman is on line one.  Should I take a message?”

It’s the first time she’s ever called me directly.  I know Cheryl has probably told her never to do that, but at this point, I think if Cheryl didn’t put her though, Abbey would probably pack up and leave.  “No, I’ll take it.”  I grab the phone eagerly and punch the line that’s lit up with my finger.  “Ab?”

“You got some kind of invite...they want you to be there along with myself and the boys this Saturday.  It’s for your foundation.”

“Abbey,” I say, disregarding everything she just said.

“Should I RSVP or...”r32;
“I’m not going on that trip,” I tell her quickly.

“Justin?”

“I’m serious,” I tell her softly.  “I just told Trump...I...I cut the whole thing off.  I backed out of the deal.”

She’s quiet for a long time.  I let her be, because I know she’s trying to take it all in.  I did this for her.  It’s shocked her, it’s shocked me.  It’s not like me.  I’ve never given up any opportunity to make more money before, especially for somebody else.  Shit, what am I turning into? It’s like...I have some kind of a heart.  So fuckin’ weird.

“You called it off?” She whispers.

“Yeah.”

“Why?”

“It was...it was just the right thing to do,” I tell her gently.

“But the money...”

“I-I don’t care about the money,” I say.  “I care about you and the boys, and...I know that I can’t afford to be away for weeks at a time.  You’ve been right about everything.  I...I should have listened harder.  I don’t want to lose you.”

“You care about me that much?”

Her voice is quivering and I know that this conversation needs to be continued in person and not over the phone.  “Maybe we can talk about this more later on...”

I trail off and wait for her to say something, but she doesn’t speak.  I think she’s confused as to why I would suddenly just drop everything for her.  Hell, maybe I’m even more confused about that than she is, but I know my mind is made up.  In the business world, you only get one shot at a decision, and you look like a fool if you go back on your word.  “Abbey...”

“Are you sure?  I mean, really sure, about this?”

“Of course I’m sure,” I tell her gently, trying to keep the quiver out of my voice.  “You know I wouldn’t be doing it otherwise.”

“Well I...I guess I’ll see you tonight then.”

“Yeah.”  I smile into the phone and can hear her return it.  “As soon as I can be there.  I may...go see Sydney tonight if everything works out.”r32;
“Sydney...,” she trails off as if something has just caught her off guard.  “I was going to tell you...Austin told me that Kristy wasn’t in school today.  I...I tried calling over there, but I didn’t get an answer.  I hope everything is okay.”

I don’t want to think Sydney did something to her own daughter.  I don’t want to start worrying about that.  I need to focus, concentrate on what I’m going to say to Sydney once the time comes, once I get the okay to go see her.  But I can’t help but be worried.  Trace is in jail.  Trace, the one that has always provided for that kid, and he can’t help her if he’s in there.  I realize I’m the only one that can be of any help to Kristy at all right now, and I owe Trace that much.  “I’ll go over there.”

“Maybe you should call the police,” Abbey says, the fear apparent in her voice.

“It’ll be fine,” I reassure her.  “I’ll bring Quincy with me.”

“You shouldn’t be handling this all by yourself, Justin.  You were supposed to work out a plan with the police first.”

“If she pulls out a gun I’ll try out my karate moves on her,” I chuckle.

“You don’t know karate,” she huffs.  “Justin, this isn’t a joke...”

“It’ll be fine, Ab,” I reassure her quickly.  “I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

“If you go over there you better call me as soon as you’re finished,” she snaps.  “I mean it.”   

I realize that she really does love me.  It’s not something she’s over exaggerated, jumped on because she misses her ex boyfriend.  It’s how she truly feels.  I smile a little...

But I still can’t feel the same way, and that’s so fucked up, given the situation.

“I promise,” I tell her gently.  “I’ll go over there, make sure Kristy is okay, then I’ll head home.”

“I still think it’s a bad idea,” she whispers.r32;
“I’m a smart boy,” I chuckle.  “Don’t worry.  Just take care of the boys and I’ll see you later on.”

She sighs harshly into the phone one last time.  “Bye.”

Her end clicks off.  I know she’s worried and scared, but I don’t see why.  It’s just Sydney.  She may be fucked up, but she’s not dangerous, at least to me.  It’s important that I do this, that I take Kristy out of that house if I feel it’s the only option.  “Cheryl.”  I buzz her on the intercom.  

“Sir.”

“I’m leaving the office for the rest of the day.  You can forward anything important to my cell.”

“Of course, sir.”

I throw my jacket on and grab my briefcase before heading out.  I wave a quick goodbye to Cheryl and she wishes me a good day before I leave the confines of my office.  Quincy meets me by the front doors, and when I tell him where we’re going, he gives me a funny look in the rearview mirror, but doesn’t ask questions.  He knows it’s his job not to.  With traffic, it takes a good forty five minutes before we reach Trace’s apartment over on Park Avenue.  The doorman greets me right away, and tells me that Sydney is upstairs.  I tell him not to announce me, that she knows I’m on my way, and he does as I ask, because of who I am.  I tell Quincy to wait by the elevators for me, and I ride up to the fifteenth floor alone.

The hallway is silent when I get off, as it usually is.  I take my steps slower than usual, trying to figure out what I’m supposed to say when she answers the door, and I pray that she gives me a moment or two to talk my way inside the apartment.  I reach it, number twelve, and gently knock on the door a few times.  Nobody answers.  Against my better judgement, I try the door knob.

The door is unlocked.

“Hello.”  I step inside and say the word quietly.  Strange, the place seems so foreign to me now.  Before, it was like a second home.  I helped Trace remodel this place, right down to the art on the walls.  But now, you would never know it.

Because everything is gone.

Priceless art, keepsakes, expensive furniture and electronics have all been carried off by parties unknown.  I feel the fury growing stronger and stronger inside of me, as I realize that Sydney did all of this for drug money.  She sold everything he worked for, and she didn’t care.  “Sydney!” I yell out.  “Where the hell are you!”

I bang through half a dozen doors, to find nothing but empty rooms and barren spots where Trace’s possessions used to sit.  Room after room it’s nothing but the same, and the louder I call out Sydney’s name the more hollow my voice starts to sound.

I reach the last room on the upper level.  The master suite.  Trace’s bedroom.  I thrust open the door, see her laying in the bed, and I’m ready to tear her apart, but then I see something, or...someone that makes me stop dead in my tracks.

Kristy is lying in the bed with her mother, silently staring at her.  Syndey is very still, and when I make my way around the opposite side of the bed to get a better look, it’s only then that I realize how pale she is.  “Kristy.”  I crouch down at the edge of the bed and manage to get her to turn away and look back at me.  “What happened?”

“Mommy took her magic powder last night so she could sleep, and...and she didn’t wake up this morning.”

Her voice is nothing more than a whisper, and her expression hollow, shocked.  The only person I can think of in this moment is Davey, knowing it’s the exact way he looked when I first laid eyes on him in Memphis.

I know Sydney is dead.

“Come on.” I hold my hand out for her to take.  “I’ll take you with me.  You can visit with Austin.”

“I want my daddy,” she whimpers.  “Where is he?”

I sigh harshly, realizing her mother never bothered to tell Kristy what happened, and never took her to visit Trace either.  “He’s...he’ll be along soon,” I say.  “But you can’t stay here.”

She doesn’t move, and I know better than to try and force her.  Instead, I call Mac, and he tells me he’ll be right over, to dial 911 in the meantime.  I do it, and within twenty minutes the place is crawling with police and medical personnel. Kristy lets me pick her up in my arms and she clings to me with her face buried in my shoulder, while I take in everything around me.  It’s fucking chaotic.  I wish I could get out of here, but so many people are asking me so many questions that I can’t.

I’ve never been more thankful to see Mac in my life.  The second he reaches my side he forbids them to question me anymore.  His only goal seems to be getting me the hell out of here.

“I’ll take her sir,” A female policewoman says to me as Mac begins to escort us out of the apartment.r32;
“What?” I resist as the officer begins to pry Kristy out of my arms.  “No...no! She’s fine with me!”

“You have no legal rights to her, sir,” the officer tells me sternly.  “You’ll have to take it up with the courts.”

“Mac!” I yell when Kristy is pried away from me, and begins to scream and cry.  “Do something!”

“I can’t,” he huffs as he pulls me away.  “Not right away.  I’ll see if I can get you temporary custody but for right now this is the only option.”

“But...”

“But nothing.  Move, Justin.”

He practically pushes me out the door, and I nearly punch the wall before he stops me.  We ride the elevator in silence.  I feel stupid because I can feel the tears on my face, and the last thing I want to do it cry.  Naturally, there are about a thousand reporters waiting for me when I step off the elevator.  Quincy helps me through the mass, and soon I’m back in my car, with Mac by my side.  I bury my face in my hands, not being able to believe what’s just happened.

“You want to hear the good news?”

I pick my head out of my hands and glare at him.  “Good news? What the fuck is the good news?”

“She left a suicide note,” he tells me slowly.  “She confessed to the whole thing.”

I stare at him.  “So does that mean...”

“It may take some time, they’ll have to analyze the handwriting, but Trace’s charges will probably be dropped if I can convince the DA that it’s not worth pursuing anymore.”

“Can you do it?” I whisper.

“It’s what you pay me for, right?” He smirks
Twenty Five by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:

I know...It's been a while.  A lot has happened between singing competitions and car accidents.  Since I'm home due to back pain I figured i would try to get a chapter up.  Hope everyone is doing okay! Enjoy!

 

October

I was scared shitless the day Justin went to check in on Kristy.  I was afraid something would happen to him.  I wanted him to call the police first, and I can’t deny that my heart was in my throat until the moment he called to tell me what happened.  He had to spend most of that evening answering questions, and the entire next day trying to get Kristy out of the state’s custody.  I’d never seen him work so hard for somebody else before.  Given the circumstances, most people wouldn’t have gone out on a limb for their estranged best friend’s kid.

I guess Justin has always had a big heart.  It’s just been hell getting him to show it.

Kristy has been staying with us since the day after her mothers death.  Justin’s lawyer pulled a bunch of strings, and Justin carried her in the doorway late that evening with a proud smile on his face.  Austin and Davey were ecstatic.  They both loved to play with Kristy and having her around full time meant the world to them.  Of course, I had to take them aside and explain that she’d been through something awful, that it would take her time to be herself again.  But the boys seemed to understand her situation all too well.  I should have known that they would though.  They went through the same type of ordeal, and Davey well...he knows what it’s like to see your parents die in front of you.

Kristy isn’t a bratty kid either.  She’s nothing like her mother was (strike me down for disrespecting the dead).  She not too spoiled, and the more I talk to her and get to know her the more I realize how much Trace has taught her about life and how much he loves her.  She talked about him so much before he came home, I think I may know the guy as well as Justin does.  She was anxious to see him again.  Before Trace was released, Justin and I took her up to the prison to see him for the first time since he was locked up.  She ran into his arms and the guy practically had a meltdown right there.

It told me that Trace had changed...a lot.

The DA wouldn’t drop the charges against Trace, but the suicide note Sydney left behind helped his case.  The DA had still been convinced that Trace had something to do with the fraud, despite the fact that Justin said he wanted the charges dropped.  It was a federal case, I was told, so the DA was practically obligated to do go trial.

If Mac wasn’t around, I really don’t know what verdict would have been either.

There were two weeks of testimony given.  Justin testified, made Trace sound like the son of god on the stand.  He’s really good at that...making people believe in him.  I already knew that, but I was sure he’d be able to make the jury fall in love with him too.  When they came back with a verdict of not guilty, it proved my theory well.  Trace was slated to be released from prison shortly after, and Justin decided to fix up his place for him, as most of his possessions had been sold off to who we think were drug dealers.  It’s turned into a huge renovation project that I wasn’t expecting Justin to bother with.  He’s hired contractors and interior designers to turn it into something really special for his friend, and for Kristy too.  Trace has been staying with us in the meantime, and has been bluntly told by Justin not to ask questions about his place.

I hope...I really do hope they can be the same friends they used to be.  I think they’re working on it.  They talk a lot, watch TV together, and are even starting to get back into their business partnership.  It’s good for them.  The need each other.  The kids are happy too, being all together like this, and I know that makes Trace happy too.  I know he doesn’t want Kristy to dwell on what happened to Sydney.  He hasn’t mentioned her once since he learned about her death, and I’m assuming he’s dealing with that part of his life in his own way.  He was the only one listed as her next of kin, so he automatically retained custody of Kristy once the trial was over, and chose to have Sydney cremated.

I doubt she would have had more than a half dozen people at her funeral anyway.

Naturally, Trace has acted slightly awkard whenever we’re in the same room together.  I can tell he has no clue what to say to me.  By the way he looks at me when I enter the room, I can tell he’s thankful for what I did for him, but at the same time, he doesn’t hestiate to make an excuse to go somewhere else when I appear either.  It’ll take some time for him to get used to being around me.  I know that.  It doesn’t bother me, because I have a lot more things to worry about besides Trace’s feelings towards me.  As long as we can be civil to each other under the same roof, I have no problem having him around.

Things between Justin and I are probably as good as they are going to get for now.  We’re not as frustrated with each other anymore, and since the trial has ended the media has backed off.  It means that the guards don’t have to be around anymore, and you can image how much better my mood has gotten due to their absence.  That with the knowledge that Justin has dumped Trump’s proposition for the sake of his “family” has made me ease up on him a lot.  Lately, I’ve been letting him do his thing, spend time with Trace, put a little extra time in at the office without complaining, since he had been completely distracted for such a long time.  

I think him compromising with me on the Trump deal, forced me to understand his career a little bit more.  I know how important it is to him now more than ever.  I know how much effort he needs to put into it.  He’s learning from his mistakes now too.  He knows he needs to find that balance between work and home, and for the first time ever...I really think he’s close to doing just that.  

It’s made our relationship that much stronger.  

I mean, the nights we do manage to sneak into bed together have been really, really fantastic.

I smile a lot more now.

So does my boyfriend.

My hands have been full lately anyway, and I’ve found myself involved with more projects than I thought myself capable of.  Halloween is just around the corner, which means I’ve been pulling overtime baking things, designing Halloween costumes for the children living under Justin’s roof, and helping the other mother’s from Austin’s school put together several different parties around town.  I’ve found that I’ve been accepted into their little group, despite how young I am.  The moment they found out that Justin and I were actually dating, they stopped viewing me as the nanny and started to kiss my ass. They’ve started to treat me as Austin’s...well...mother.  I’ve found myself going shopping with a couple of them on more than one occasion, and we talk about life...sex.  They try to find out little bits of information about my relationship with Justin, which I try my best to skirt around.  I don’t understand why they care. Charlene says it’s because he’s the most desirable man in New York City...

If I told Justin that, I think his head would probably explode.

Nevertheless, it feels good to have more than one friend now.   I’m not just Abbey Feldman from Brighton anymore.  I’ve now become part of the elite house wives of Manhattan...and I’m not even married.  I’m not sure if it’s turning me into a snob or not.  Justin probably wouldn’t notice if it was happening, because as much as I care about him, he still...is kind of a snob, and that won’t change.  Just the other day, I was shopping at a party store with some of the other women, and I actually told one of the workers there to “fetch me” something.  It made me feel rotten inside.

I can’t deny...it was hard for me to fall asleep that night.

I dont’ want to become like that.  It’s not right...talking down to people, no matter how much money Justin has or how powerful he is.  I wasn’t raise that way.  In fact, if my parents ever heard me talk to somebody that way they would probably knock me in the head a few times to get some sense back into me.

It’s been too long since I’ve seen them.

I know I need a visit to knock me back down to earth.

The question is...will Justin be willing to take that step?

I’ve been too terrified to even try to ask him.  I’m afraid he’ll freak out, like that time I told him that I was in love with him.  He’s been through way too much the past couple of months to go through it again, and besides...our relationship is going really great right now.

Why should I spoil it?  I know going home is only going to open up old wounds as it is.

I haven’t thought about Braeden in a while.

His birthday is next week.  Normally I would be shut in the dark on that day, crying until my insides hurt.  This year though...I’ll be in a completely different situation, and I refuse to let my dark emotions shine through.

“I can’t get my arm through, Abbey!”

Austin punches a clothed fist in the air, and I start to chuckle a little bit, realizing my mistake in the stitching.  He blatantly refused to be anything other than a “Memphis Cowboy” for Halloween.  So I brought him to the Halloween store, every Halloween store in the Manhattan area, and showed them the three hundred different styles of cowboy costumes available.

“Nooooo it has to have the right colors!”

That was all he would say, every single time.   

Davey and Kristy were easy.  He wanted to be a train conductor and she wanted to be Cinderella.  Their costumes are hanging in the closet, ready to go, while I’ve been laboring like a slave over Austin’s Memphis Cowboy outfit for a week.  Considering I have no tailoring experience whatsoever I thought I was doing a great job.

Apparently not.

“Well take it off,” I laugh.  “I’ll have to fix it.”

He slumps his shoulders and his arms hang lank at his sides.  “Why couldn’t you buy one of these?” he groans.

“You saw that they didn’t have it, Mr. Complicated!” I scoff.

“When I lived in Memphis, they had the right colors,” he pouts.  “Momma never had to make one.”

I sigh and hang my head low.  He just loves to hit me with that kind of stuff at times like this.  “Austin, go change so I can fix it, all right?”

“I wish I was back there,” he grunts.

“You have fun here with all of us, Austin.  I know you do.”

His face scrunches up, as it tends to do when he’s the most angry and confused.  “No I don’t!” He hollers.  “You’re not my mom! Stop acting like you are!”

I slap my hands on my thighs when he storms away from me.

It’s so weird with him.  Most days he’s my best friend, and then other times...like right now, he’s completely impossible to deal with.  He needs more help than he’s getting.  I’ve said that from the get go.  But stating my opinion is useless.

Like I said, things have been going great between me and Justin.

I just don’t feel like starting something else with him now, no matter how whiney Austin gets.

My god, I am turning into a snob.

“Hey, what’s up Austin’s butt?”

Justin is laughing and smiling when I look up at him.  I smirk slightly and rise to my feet, letting out a little sigh.  “He’s just frustrated with the colors of his cowboy costume.”
“I figured.”

He tosses me the box that’s been tucked under his arm, and I catch it, cocking my head to the side in confusion.  “What’s this?”

He shrugs.  “I heard him whining the other day.  I had a spare couple of minutes at work...so I looked into it.  It’s crazy...they really do only make this particular style down in Memphis.  I had to call the store and everything.”

I stare at him for a few minutes, in sheer amazement.  He was listening all a long, when I figured he was too busy to worry about the kids and their Halloween costumes.  “You really did this?” I laugh.  

“Well...contrary to popular belief I do like to see the kid happy every now and then,” he laughs, and walks up to me, planting a soft kiss on my lips a few moments later.  “And I figured the sooner he’s happy, the sooner I could ask you to be my date to the company’s annual Halloween Extravaganza.”

“What’re you talking about?” I giggle, dropping the box in my arms at the same time as he deepens his kisses on my lips, and neck.  “I don’t do Halloween.”

“Oh C’mon,” he chuckles.  “I always go as a pirate, so you can be my wench.”

“That’s so tempting,” I snigger and roll my eyes as I pull away from him.  “I might just have to think about it...oh...hmm...okay I thought about it.”

His eyes brighten.  “And?”r32;
“I still pass.”

“But why!”

I retrieve the box that I dropped and laugh some more as I walk into the adjoining room.

“It’s the biggest party we have for the office besides Christmas!” His voice follows behind me.  “It’s fun, I swear! It’s nothing like the benefits.”

“What about the kids,” I huff as I turn to face him.  “I have to take them trick or treating.”

“It’s the night before Halloween,” he grins.  “That way, everybody is happy.”

I’ve never really been a party girl, and when Braden died, I became even less of a party girl.  As if that wasn’t enough, the party Justin has invited me to, happens to fall on Braden’s birthday.  It shouldn’t be affecting me this much...but it is.  “I...I don’t know, Justin.  I have a lot on my plate.”

“So do I.”

I feel him come up behind me and wrap his arms around my waist before kissing the back of my neck.  “Let’s take a night for us,” he whispers.  “We can party it up a little bit and maybe...I’ll get us a suite at the Four Seasons afterwards.  There won’t be any kids, or Trace, or responsibility, and I’ll have you home in time to take the kids out the next night. Sound like fun, babe?”

Being alone with Justin for all that time sounds amazing.  With Trace and Kristy here, we almost never have the opportunity anymore to just...be together.  I feel the smile pulling at my lips, willing me to give into him.  At the same time though, I have no idea what kind of mood I’ll be in that day and the last thing I want to do is spoil a magical evening with Justin.  I can say I can control my emotions all I want, but the truth is...I’ve never really been able to before...not on that particular day.  “I just don’t...”

He forces me to turn around and meet his gaze.  “What is it?” He whispers.  “Abbey,” he continues when I barely look at him.  “Just talk to me.”

“It’s just...”I pause and shake my head.  “It’s...it’s Braeden’s birthday that day and I don’t know how I’m going to feel.”

His carefree expression falls into a dark one. I know he’s mad at me.

“Let me help you through it,” he whispers.

I stare at him, amazed that he seems to understand how I feel.  Any other guy would probably flip out, get pissed that I was thinking about another guy.  But Justin is starting to completely understand me, just like I’m starting to understand him.  “You...you’re willing to do that?”

“I care about you,” he whispers it and nods a little.  “I’ll do whatever I need to do.  I want you to be happy.”

I bite my bottom lip for a moment because I feel it starting to quiver and I really don’t want to cry right now.  “Do I still have to be your wench?” I say, trying to manage a laugh for him.

He kisses me lightly.  “I could go as your cabin boy instead,” he suggests.

“As long as I get to carry around a cool looking whip, or get to lead you around on a rope.  Either one works.”

He laughs out loud.  “Glad to have you back, Ab.”

I wrap my arms around him and kiss him powerfully on the mouth.  It feels good to have him on my side.  I feel like...I’ll get through this year without much of an effort.  I don’t have to feel alone or helpless anymore, because I’m moving on.  I have someone new in my life and...I don’t want to jump the gun, but I think I might be able to allow myself to have some fun on Halloween for the first time in years.
Twenty Six by ialwayzbesingin
“The cabin boy?”

I shrug as I put the finishing touches on my faux stubble.  “We made a deal.”

“Who goes as the cabin boy?”  Trace scoffs and continues to slick back his hair with the gel in his hand.  “I mean, I’m Dracula.  You’re the boss.  Your character is supposed to dwarf mine.”

“Please,” I laugh.  “It’s just a party, man.  Get a grip.”

“I still say you should have gone with the Black Beard outfit.”  He rolls his eyes.  “You’re fuckin’ whipped, that’s your problem.”

He’s probably right.  I won’t admit it to him though.  I’m not ready to do that yet, with anyone.  Deep inside I know how much control Abbey holds over me.  If she asked me to do something for her, no matter what it was, I’d give in.  Why is that?

I won’t admit the reason to myself.

It scares me because I know...I know what the reason probably is.

But I can’t be in love.

It’s bad.  Trace and I haven’t discussed anything about the trial or his imprisonment since he was released.  I know he likes it better that way.  Trace isn’t the emotional type.  If something happens, he likes to face it briefly and forget it.  I guess I’m enabling him to do that.  I shouldn’t be.  I should be his friend, sit him down, and ask him if he’s doing okay...if we’re okay, but I think I would agitate him.  He’s semi comfortable staying here with us, and if I start bugging him he might just pack up and leave.  As it is, he won’t give me a firm answer about coming back to Goldman.  He says he has to think about it, and I know it’s because he’s still embarrassed.  Hell, I would be too.

If I lose Trace at work all together, I don’t know what the fuck I’m supposed to do.  I’m praying he’ll change his tune when he sees all the renovations that I’ve made to his place.  I’m hoping he’ll be so grateful that he’ll come back to work out of the goodness of his heart.

But I know Trace, and he’s not so easily pushed over.

The one thing I have going for me right now is my relationship with Abbey.  We’ve been working on things or maybe...I’ve been working on things.  I’ve been trying to see things from her perspective, been trying to put my phone away once dinner time rolls around, been trying to spend as much quality time with my brothers as I can.  Austin and I practice his moves every weekend, and I make sure that I read to Davey every night before he falls asleep.  I feel like I’ve learned a lot since I backed out of the deal with Trump.  I’ve learned how to...have a family I guess, and...I’m a lot happier because of it.  

Abbey is too.

But we all need a break, and while it took a lot of convincing on my part, Abbey agreed to come to this party with me tonight.  She said she’s inviting a friend to meet us for dinner beforehand, though.  Her best friend.  She said she wants me to meet her, and I guess...I guess that’s kind of important.  I mean, I didn’t even know she had any friends in the city.  It’ll be nice though, getting to meet somebody else involved in Abbey’s life.

Maybe she can teach me a little bit more about her past.

“So who’s this girl that’s coming tonight?” Trace asks me, obviously getting over the subject of my being ‘whipped.’

“She’s a friend of Abbey’s,” I explain.  “I’ve never met her.  She’s just having dinner with us.”

“You’re not trying to set me up already I hope,” he mutters.

“Hey, it wasn’t my idea,” I chuckle.  “Relax, man.  She just wants me to meet the girl.”

He doesn’t say anything, just shakes his head as he walks out the bathroom.

I know he’s uncomfortable about tonight, even though he won’t admit it.  He’ll never be the same...not really.  Even though his relationship with Sydney was more for Kristy’s sake than anything else, I know that deep down there was a part of him that cared for her.  Losing her must have been somewhat painful for him, especially the way it went down.  This isn’t the night to bring it up of course.  I don’t know when that night will be, either.

The only person I want to focus on tonight is Abbey.  

It’s really hard though, when I still feel so guilty about what happened to Trace.  I really stepped up for him at the trial.  Most people couldn’t understand.  In fact, most of the people I know still put the blame on Trace for all of this.  They said he should have seen this coming, that he could have stopped Sydney from doing what she did.  Maybe he could have, maybe he should have seen it coming, but I can’t hold it against him.  After everything he’s done for me, he doesn’t deserve it.

I think what I really need to do is get away for longer than a weekend.  I think it would be good for all of us.  I usually go skiing when the weather gets cooler out.  I love Colorado...going to the mountains.  It’s so isolated, so private.  Sometimes, I can’t even get cell phone service, which has normally been my only pet peeve about the place.  It won’t be this time though.  An excuse not to use my cell phone for a week would probably make Abbey and the boys the happiest they’ve been around me in a long time.  It’ll help us grow closer.  Make us even more like a family.

I think I’ll tell Cheryl to book us the cabin for Thanksgiving.

It’s crazy.  I can’t remember the last time I had a real Thanksgiving.  I usually sneak into the office and work in privacy.

“Hey.”

I turn around and smile when I see her standing in the doorway, a tired but happy smile on her face.  “Hey you.”  I walk up to her and pull her close to me before giving her a light kiss.  “All set?”

“Yeah.  Kristy and the boys are at Samantha Grey’s house...that’s Derricks mom.  She said it was no problem having them stay the night.  She said she’d drop the kids off at school in the morning, and she has a four year old who hasn’t started school yet, so Davey can play with him for the day.”

I have no idea who the hell Samantha Grey is, but I leave that type of shit up to Abbey anyway.  “So we have the night to ourselves then?”  I smirk.

“I’m all yours,” she smiles back at me and touches the tip of her index finger to my face, slightly smearing the makeup I’ve applied.  “Nice touch, cabin boy.”

“Hey, I can be creative at times.  I love Halloween.”

“What, no eyepatch?”

“I was just about to put it on,” I wink.

“Oh lord,” she snorts out a laugh and rolls her eyes.  “I’m going to change.  Charlene said she would meet us at the restaurant around eight.”

“So...fill me in about this girl again,” I say, tugging at her arm before she can walk away from me.  

“Don’t you listen to anything I tell you?” she huffs.

“Well...yeah,” I smirk and pull her back close to me again, caressing her face with my hand.  “Sometimes I’m just so caught up in you that I lose focus.”

“Oh please.”

I raise an eyebrow. “Hey, I thought that was pretty good.”

“I’ve known her since I was four,” she explains.  “She’s my best friend.  I just thought it would be nice to have you meet her since...we’re...kind of serious now, and you haven’t met any of my friends.”

I nod a little.  I get why she wants me to do this.  I mean, I shouldn’t have a problem with it either.  It’s just...that...that whole seriousness thing.  Of course I should know that we’re getting serious.  We’ve probably been serious for months now.  There’s just that part of me that is still so damn afraid of commitment, of taking extra steps.  I can’t make that fear go away.  I want to protect myself.  

Maybe I should see a therapist.

“She’s not the type that’s going to take me aside and pressure me to put a ring on your finger right?” I only half laugh, because a big part of me is serious.

“Marriage?” Abbey scoffs.  “You?”

I feel my face scrunch up a little.  “What’s that mean?”

She only sighs a little.  “Nothing J.  Just...meet me downstairs in a half hour, okay?”

She tries to walk away from me again.  This time I almost let her, but then something makes me go after her.  “Hey, come on. I want an explanation.”

“I really don’t want to get into this tonight,” she calls back over her shoulder.  “We’re supposed to be enjoying ourselves.”

“Yeah?” I snap back, feeling the anger rising in me.  “Well, you just got us into it!”

She stops and whirls completely back around, hands on her hips, eyes narrowed at me defiantly.  “We can’t talk about a certain...subject, without you retreating into the far corners of your mind and ignoring it.  That’s why I said it.”

I roll my eyes.  Okay.  Subject dropped.  “You’re right,” I whisper.

She nods.  “I’ll see you downstairs.”

I let her walk away this time.  Yeah.  She definitely won that one, hands down, and I’m too much of a coward to go after her and say: ‘you’re right, we should talk about the fact that you’re in love with me and think I should love you back.’  I can’t do it.  I can’t let that last barrier inside of me crack for her.

I’m a shitty guy for that.  

She’s on edge tonight too, and with good reason.  I know that guy...Braeden, it would have been his birthday today.  She’s here with me.  That has to be effecting her in a major way, because I’m pretty sure I’m the first guy she’s been with since he disappeared.  It should mean a lot to me that she has the courage to move on like this, commit herself to me completely and try to forget about her past.  I mean, I guess it means something to me.  Just not nearly as much as it should.  I don’t get emotional on my parent’s birthdays, and I probably still won’t now that they’re dead and gone.  Life moves on, the world hasn’t stopped spinning.  There’s still work to be done...money to be made.  It’ll just be another day to me.

Speaking of my parents passing...I think I’ve been doing exceptionally well during this whole ‘mourning process’.  I don’t even think about what happened to them anymore, or that...I never got to say goodbye.  With Abbey as a convenient distraction, I managed to push through it, move on.  It’s still hell getting my brothers to do the same, but I expect that.  I’ve been trying to lead by example, and it will probably take another six to eight months for that example to sink in completely.

I take another twenty minutes to put the finishing touches on my costume and makeup, taking one final look in the mirror before I’m satisfied.  I smile.  I make a really good looking cabin boy.  If my mom were here right now she would probably just laugh and tell me that my faux beard looks more like measles...

Fuck.  No.  Not right now.

I shake my head roughly, suck in a long breath, and retreat downstairs.  Trace and Abbey are waiting for me, but I barely look at Trace.  I can’t keep my eyes off of my girlfriend because she looks...so damn hot.  I’m a little shocked.  Abbey is usually pretty conservative, doesn’t like anything too low cut or too short, but tonight is the exception.  She’s dressed in probably the most scandalous pirate costume I’ve ever seen.  Complete with long, black, lace up boots, a bustier, and sword.

Thank god for raunchy Halloween costumes.  This is probably the only time I’ll ever be able to see her like this in public.

That’s probably better for my image, though.

“I know why you’re staring,” Abbey grunts at me.  “It was the only thing they had left.  It’s called a Playboy Pirate outfit.”

“Perfect,” I grin.

“I think she’s about to slap you man,” Trace warns me with a laugh as he opens the door for us.  “Let’s go.  I’m fuckin’ starving.”

I grab Abbey’s hand and lead her out the door before she can decide she’d rather not venture out in public with that costume on.  Soon, we are in the Escalade and on our way to dinner.  Abbey seems to relax but I immediately begin to tense up at the prospect of meeting this Charlene person.  What if she hates me? What if she tells Abbey she doesn’t think I’m the right guy for her? I know how women are.  They take one look at you and judge you before you can even say hello.  Considering my status in the world, I know I could either be viewed as a ‘great catch’ or a ‘pompous asshole.’

Come to think of it, I wonder what she’s told her friend about me.  I’d ask...but I feel like Abbey would get pissed off.  

I realize we aren’t at the type of restaurant that Trace or I would have picked, right as Quincy pulls up to the curb.  It’s some kind of barbeque style hole in the wall, complete with neon signs in the windows and a big pigs head above the door.  I shudder.  I’m about to dine with the classless.  It’s something I haven’t done in years, and I have to admit...I don’t miss it.

“What a dump.  Where are we?” Trace grumbles.

I’m glad he’s decided not to hold back.

“Charlene bar tends here a few nights a week.  It’s really close to her place, so I said we could meet her here for a quick bite,” Abbey explains.  “What’s the problem?”

“It’s just...I mean, couldn’t you have picked someplace uptown?” I blurt out.

She gives me a queer look.  “You mean a place where they serve you a thirty dollar bottle of sparkling water?  I didn’t want Charlene to feel uncomfortable, Justin.”

I just shrug.  “So it’s better to make us uncomfortable?”

She glares at me.  “Are you going to come in or what?”

“Come on.  Let’s just eat and get it over with.”  Trace grunts it at me and gets out of the car.  

Now it’s just me and her.

“I can’t believe you’re making a big deal out of this.  Look at us, Justin.  We’re not exactly dressed for the executive cotillion here.  I figured a rib place would be full of people dressed up in costumes.”

“We’re above this,” I whisper at her.

She gives me a disgusted look.  “You’re a snob.”

“I know my place in the city,” I point out.  “At this point, I thought you would have figured out yours, and don’t hand me that crap that you haven’t changed.  I know you have.  You go out shopping with all the other women.  You’re one of them now.  You use my credit line too, and I see the bills.  I haven’t seen one charge in any shops off of Park or Fifth.”

She’s stone silent, but she doesn’t look angry now...she just looks shocked.  I think I’ve sort of jolted her into reality.  She’s not some petty little city girl anymore.  She has status.  I’ve given her that status in hopes that she would be able to handle it and figure out her role as my girlfriend.  Realize that she’s a direct reflection of myself now.  That people will tear her down and tear me down if they see us doing the improper things.

“Have you forgotten what your life was like before all of this?” She snaps at me.  

“I’ve sure been trying to,” I grumble.

“Maybe...maybe I was wrong to bring you here tonight,” she says, looking down at her lap.  “Maybe I’ve been wrong about a lot of things.  I shouldn’t pressure you, because you don’t want to compromise.”

I sigh heavily.  All right...I’m being a jerk.  I’m not understanding her perspective.  It’s just...hard...when I’ve grown so accustomed to certain things in my life. I hate change.  “Abbey you’re....you’re not wrong,” I say, taking one of her hands in mine.

She snatches it away.  “Do you know how hard today is for me, Justin?”

She’s sobbing now.  Fuck, I’m an idiot.  Still, I can’t think of anything comforting to say to her, so I just stare.

“Of course you don’t,” she whimpers.  “You haven’t even asked me how I’m doing.  You’re more concerned about some party...about getting me in bed at some hotel tonight, and when I try to include you in my life...by trying to introduce to somebody that’s been there for me through everything, you just toss it away like it doesn’t matter, because you’re too good for her!”

“Abbey...”

She gets out of the car and slams the door.

“Shit.”  I put my head in my hands.  Hell, what was I thinking about.  I should have just kept my damn thoughts to myself.  Grinned and bared it for her sake.  It’s a hard day for her and she was holding her feelings in so we could have a nice time.  Why do I have to be so damn hard headed? Act like I’m above everybody else?

I guess I’ve forced myself to be for so long, it’s really hard to slip out of the mindset now.

It takes me a few minutes, and few kind words of encouragement from Quincy who had heard the entire argument, to get me moving.  I slowly get out of the car and walk the few steps over to the entrance of the place.  The moment I open the door a burst of sound envelops my ears.  It’s loud, small, and cramped.  People are everywhere.  Some are drunk, and none of them are civilized.  The only plus side is the dress code.  Everybody is dressed in Halloween garb, and I’m glad that I at least blend in.  I spot Trace, Abbey, and who I presume to be Charlene seated in a booth at the far end of the restaurant.  Surprisingly enough, Trace is laughing and seems to be enjoying the conversation he’s holding with Charlene.  I can tell Abbey is lost though. She’s staring out into space, probably trying to figure out the best way to dump me without hurting the boys.

I feel like the biggest asshole on the planet right now.

“Is this the illustrious Justin Timberlake?”

Charlene smiles up at me as I draw nearer to their table.  I force a smile, and when Trace looks back over his shoulder at me with sympathetic gaze, I do the best I can not to let my true emotions shine through.  “That would be me,” I nod and slide into the empty spot beside Trace.

Abbey won’t even look at me.

“Abbey won’t stop talking about you,” Charlene chuckles as she shakes my hand.  “It’s nice to finally meet you.”r32;
She’s dressed up like a gypsy tonight, but aside from that I can tell that she’s a relatively simple girl...like Abbey is.  She also seems completely genuine, completely happy to meet me, which is making me feel even worse.  “Pleasure,” I respond, hardly above a whisper, and pretend to lose myself in the menu.

Dinner is uneventful.  Abbey drinks a ton of Sangria while Charlene tries to initiate small talk with me, but I’m only half with her, and she eventually gets bored and sets her focus on Trace.  Ever the talker, he immediately gets into a conversation with her about god knows what, and I’m thankful.  I want to be left alone.  Figure this out before it gets worse.  At some point I make a pathetic attempt to get Abbey’s attention by brushing my hand against her thigh from underneath the table, at which she quietly excuses herself from the table, leaving me red in the face.  I can feel Trace and Charlene staring at me, knowing I’m probably the one to blame for her absence.

I order another glass of wine.

“It’s getting late,” Trace reminds me.  “We better hurry up if we want to make an appearance at the party.”

I just nod.

“I’m uh...gonna use the bathroom.”

He says it quickly and rushes away.

Great, as if things weren’t awkward enough, now I’m stuck alone at the table with a complete stranger.

“Looks like you and Abbey aren’t having the best night.”

I shrug.

“You know...” she continues, unfazed by my attitude.  “Abbey was really excited about introducing you to me.  I’m not sure if you realize how big of a deal it is.”

I want to ignore her.  I wish I could, but something tells me that this girl is persistent and doesn’t give up easily.  I sigh.  “I know what’s going on with Abbey,” I grumble.  “I’ll handle it.”

“I don’t think you do,” she states bluntly, her eyes narrowed in that same defiant stare I’ve seen on Abbey’s face a thousand times before.  “I don’t think you know what she’s been going through this week.”

“I know about Braeden,” I snap at her.  “What else is there to know?”

She sits back and crosses her arms, a little smirk creeping onto her face as she stares at me.  “Have you ever been in love before, Justin?”

I laugh at her.  “Are you serious?  I don’t even know you.  Why the hell would I discuss that with you?”

“It’s a simple question.”

My wine comes just in time, and I take a few long sips of it before setting the glass back down and meeting her gaze again.  She’s still waiting for an answer.  “What does it matter to you?” I mutter

“Because...” she leans in towards me.  “If you had been, I think you would understand her emotions a little bit better.”

I shrug.  “I know a lot about psychology.”

“Right.”  She shakes her head and laughs sadly.  “Look, Justin, I barely know anything about you other than what I’ve read in Fortune, and I doubt that’s the entire truth anyway.  The only thing I know for sure, is that you’re dating my best friend in the world, and by the way she’s acting, I can tell she’s really serious about you.  I know how guys like you operate.  I’ve dated a few of them, and I know they hate to get serious if it means having to choose a relationship over their money.”

I smirk right back at her.  “I think I have it pretty down pat,” I nod.  “Abbey has no reason to complain.”

“Braeden was the love of her life, Justin,” she tells me quietly.  “As much as she thinks she’s over him...I know her...and she’ll never be completely over him.  She’s searching for that kind of relationship again.  She needs it, and right now...she thinks that she’s found it.  You have to decide if that’s what you want, if you can give her every part of you.  If you can’t...you better let her know right now before you fuck her up even more.”

I hate that she thinks she can analyze me like this.  Fuck, she doesn’t know about my relationship with Abbey...how happy we’ve been, how closely we’ve bonded.  That girl has told me everything, opened herself up to me entirely, and I take good care of her.  She wants for nothing.  So what if I’m not the most emotional person in the world?  Why should it matter so much?  “I know what my girlfriend needs from me,” I snap at her.  “I take good care of her, and I’ll get her over Braeden.  She’s gotta move on some time.”

“Yeah.  I’ve only been telling her that for seven years.  I haven’t been able to do it, and I’m her best friend.  Don’t let her use you for comfort, Justin.  It’s a shitty position to be in.”

She rolls her eyes and looks away from me.  I do the same, focus on the table top and wait for Trace and Abbey to get back.  I can’t wait to get away from her.  I can feel my skin crawling...that’s how uncomfortable she’s managed to make me in the short time we’ve been alone at the table together.  

“Those bathrooms are nasty.”  

Trace plops down beside me again, and Abbey rejoins the table soon after.  The tear stains are fresh on her face, and I know she’s been crying in the bathroom this whole time.  It causes me to completely ignore my best friend.  I feel a sharp twinge of pain shoot through me, because Abbey has gotten so upset, and I immediately call for the check.  Trace and Charlene fall back into their conversation.  Charlene is seemingly unfazed by what we just discussed, and I’m sure the subject won’t come up again unless we happen to be alone, which won’t happen...since I want nothing to do with her now.

“Ab.”  I hold my hand out to her.

She doesn’t acknowledge it.

“Babe...please,” I whisper, leaning over the table so I can get in her face.  “Let’s go out to the car.”

“I just..want to go home,” she sniffles and wipes at her eyes.  “I feel sick.”

I shake my head.  “Trace...”

He stops talking and gives me an awkward look.  

“I’m gonna take off.  We’re not going to the party.  You think you can get a taxi back to my place?”

“S-sure...”  His eyes shift uneasily from myself to Abbey and back again.  “You two gonna be okay?”

I just nod.  “Thanks.”  I steal a final glance at Charlene.  She barely acknowledges me, only gives Abbey a quick hug as we rise to our feet and makes her promise to call her tomorrow.  I take Abbey by the hand after that and walk her out of the restaurant and back to the car.  Quincy opens the door for us and soon we are back inside the Escalades tranquil interior.  It’s quiet for a long time.  Abbey sits there and sobs quietly while I stare out into space.

“I was wrong, and I’m sorry.”  I say it.  It sounds so foreign, because I’m never the first one to admit that I was wrong.  I hate being wrong, but tonight there’s no denying that I was.

“It doesn’t matter,” she whimpers.  “It’s just a fucked up day.”

It’s the first time I’ve ever realize that she’s still in mourning.  It’s been seven years.  Seven years and she’s still not over her boyfriend’s death.  Why can’t she look past it? See the good in us?  Mourning is pointless.  I know that from seeing my parents being buried.  It just...hurts too much to do it.  “You can’t continue to do this to yourself.  It’s like...you feel guilty that you’re with me.  Like...it’s wrong.”

“How would you know what its like?” She snaps.  “You wouldn’t even allow yourself to grieve over your parents when they died!  At least you had closure! At least you know what happened to them!  What about Braeden?  Where the hell is the justice and closure for him? Oh...God...”  She sobs harshly into her hands, starts moaning about how sorry she is.

She needs me right now.  She needs me to be that strong, supportive guy for her.

I just...I just don’t know if I can...If it’s safe.

I just can’t afford to be shut out by somebody else.

Fuck, now I’m crying.

“Ab...”  I reach out for her, and my hands connect with her trembling shoulders.  “Abbey, please...just look at me.”

It takes her until Quincy finally pulls the car away from the curb for her to do it.  Her makeup is ruined, and it’s only then that I remember we’re dressed up as pirates.  It gets me to laugh a little bit, even though I shouldn’t be.

“Why are you laughing?” She sobs.

“We’re just...dressed as pirates,” I nod.  “Pirates aren’t supposed to cry.”

She stares at me.  For a moment I think she might scream at me, but when she just leans into me, and starts hysterically laughing, I know I’ve sort of compensated for the rotten feelings inside of her.

“I probably shouldn’t have drank all that Sangria at dinner,” she says, looking up at me a moment later.

I shrug.  “You’re entitled.  I won’t hold it against you.”

“Justin.”  

I smirk a little and reach out so I can stroke her face.  “Ab...I’m sorry that I was a jerk earlier.  I just...”

“I dont’ care about that,” she sighs.  “I don’t...It was just that I was already upset because of today.  I shouldn’t have taken it to heart.”

I shake my head a little.  “I think your friend hates me.”

She laughs a little bit.  “Charlene hates everybody until she gets to know them.  Dont take it personally.”

I lean down and smile as I kiss her gently on the lips.  “I love you.”

It just comes out.  It comes out and at first I don’t even realize I’ve said it.  I’m staring at her, literally speechless.  

She looks scared out of her mind, and I know...no matter what I do, I can never take back what I just said.

But I’m not a liar, and I know I meant it.  I know I’ve been suppressing it for a long time and tonight...tonight was my limit.  What the hell do I do now?  

“I love you too,” she whispers.

And I can’t think about the consequences.  All I can do is kiss her, fall deeper into her than I’ve ever fallen into any woman.  Nobody has ever been right there, at my hearts doorstep and I’m so terrified that I’m going to lose her now.  If I lost her now...that would be the end of me.  I feel the hormones surging inside of me now, flowing through me like a dam that’s just been broken.  I feel like I’ve been completed.  That there’s nothing else I need in the whole entire world as long as she’s here.

And I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure she never leaves.
Twenty Seven by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Really sorry for the delay.  I just couldn't seem to sit down and write until recently.  Hope you are still reading and enjoying :)
Justin loves me.

It’s been weeks and that fact still has yet to sink in.  Sometimes I think he’s going to renege on what he said.  Tell me he wasn’t thinking right...that he didn’t mean it.  I wait for it to happen.  It never does though.  I guess I shouldn’t be this paranoid.  It’s probably bad.  If he knew he’d probably freak out on me, so I’ll have to try and do better in the “getting my head screwed on straight” department.  

“Abbey.”

I look over and meet Davey’s wide eyed gaze, and don’t hesitate to ruffle his hair a little bit.  He’s been talking tons more.  It’s almost a normal thing for him now.  Justin is real happy about it, even told Francine he didn’t think we’d be needing her as much anymore.  Naturally she protested, so did I...but Justin, ever the stubborn mule, said he would ‘think about it.’  “Yeah?”

“What’s Col-or-a-do?”

I laugh at him.  “It’s a state, like New York.”

He shakes his head.  “Austin said New York is an island.”

“Well...yeah...”  I trail off and sigh.  “But it’s a state too.  Colorado is where I grew up.  There’s lots of mountains and snow there.”

“Oh.”
He smirks slightly and goes back to his puzzle book, as if he fully understands what I just explained to him.

He’s so easy...most of the time, anyway.

After my breakdown on Braden’s birthday, Justin made sure to spend the rest of the night laid up in bed with me.  He didn’t try to seduce me.  He just...held me, told me how much he cared about me, and how he was always going to be here, that he would never leave me.  It allowed me to fall asleep in his arms, completely content.  It was the first time since Braden’s disappearance that I'd been able to do it.

And it told me that...that I had moved on.  That while Braeden would always be in my heart, my life had completely changed, and I couldn’t afford to go back, to dwell on what I could have had with him if he’d survived.

For the first time in my life, I was coping with what happened.  I had accepted Braeden’s death.

It felt amazing.

Halloween went by without incident.  The kids were happy, Austin loved his costume, and Justin even managed to get home in time to see us on our way.  Austin’s too stubborn to say it of course, but I know that night was probably one of his best since his parents passed away.  It made me feel good that I could be there for him...and Davey too.  It gave them a chance to just be kids for once.  They were finally able to break away from the orderly lifestyle that went along with being Justin Timberlake’s siblings.  When we were done galavanting the neighborhood trick or treating, a party commenced at one of the other children’s penthouse apartments.  While we women picked through the candy the kids had gathered, we allowed the kids to stuff their faces with cupcakes and cookies, let them watch monster movies in the large family room until they passed out on the carpet.   

Things melted back into their regular routine rather quickly after that weekend.  Once we were fully into the new month of November, I started contemplating a way to get Justin to check out the special needs school I’d taken Davey to a few weeks prior.  Trace and Kristy were out of the house by this point.  Justin and I had helped him get settled back into his newly renovated place, and I can safely say that we were all glad to finally be apart from each other.  Things between Trace and I hadn’t gotten any less awkward.  As it is, we still haven’t sat down and discussed the fact that I’m a big part of the reason why he’s a free man now.  He hasn’t said thank you.  He still avoids me.  It’s painfully obvious when he turns his back on me the moment I step into the same room as him.  I don’t hold it against him.  He’s not my best friend, he’s Justin’s, and I’ll leave them to their relationship, welcoming Kristy with open arms anytime her father feels the need to drop her off to play with Austin.

It’s the least I can do.

I brought the idea of touring Davey’s potential new school to Justin’s attention a few nights after Halloween had passed.  The boys were settled in bed for the night, Justin’s day hadn’t seemed to be too strenuous, and we were snuggling in bed together after some much needed intimacy.  I knew the deadline to get Davey started with a partial school year was quickly approaching, and I refused to deny the little guy his opportunity to better himself.  “So...I was looking into to a school for Davey,” I whispered as he kissed the nape of my neck gently.  “I really think he should start soon, Justin.”

“Didn’t I tell you?” He whispered it in my ear, and I could feel him smiling gently.  “I set something up with Dalton for next week.”

I turned slightly so I could meet his gaze, and frowned.  “I thought we were going to discuss it more before you made a final decision.”

“Come on babe.” He smiled, not seeming to get the hint that I was frustrated, and kissed my lips gently.  “He doesn’t need to go to a retard school.”

“It’s not a retard school,” I groaned.  “How ignorant can you be?”

“Look, he’ll be successful,” he persisted as he continued to kiss my skin and grope other parts of my body that were hidden under the covers.  “It’s in his blood.  Just trust me.”

“And if it doesn’t work out?” I sighed.  “Then can we try the school I found?”

I felt him sigh against me.  “If it doesn't’ work out...sure, anything you want.  Can we talk about something else now?”  He tugged on me so I would turn myself completely around to look at him.  “Thanksgiving recess is coming up, you know?” He said, the playfulness returning to his eyes.  “I thought we could do something special.”

It was something I’d been meaning to talk about with him, going to Colorado.  I knew he had a cabin there, that he’d been planning on taking the boys up, and I guessed that meant me as well.  I really wanted to see my family though.  I just wasn’t sure if Justin was up to the challenge.  Hell, I wasn’t really sure if I was either.  Braeden had been the only boyfriend I’d ever had around my family, and it wasn’t just my family that I would be introducing Justin to.  Braeden’s whole family would be there as well, along with the entire group of friends we’d grown up with.  In fact, I had no idea how certain people would take the news that I’d suddenly “replaced” Braeden.  I knew that a lot of his close friends still resented the fact that his family declared him deceased.

“I was thinking about Vail, but then I figured you might enjoy Aspen more,” Justin persisted, breaking through my paranoid thoughts.  “My cabin’s all set up for the season there.  They have a full time staff, and there’s a lot more things for the boys to do.”

“Well...I mean, yeah...that sounds fine,” I said, not quite looking him in the eye.

“Hey.”  He pushed up on my chin with the tips of his fingers.  “I tell you I want to take you to Aspen and all you can say is...that’s fine,” he laughed.  “What’s wrong? Would you rather go someplace warm? I’ll call Cheryl...”

“No, no...” I forced a laugh and caressed his face a little bit.  It became obvious to me that he was just trying to make me happy, to show me a good time, and I didn’t want him to think I was taking that for granted.  “It’s just that...it’s been a long time since I was so close to home for the Thanksgiving holiday,” I nodded.  “If we went to Aspen, I was hoping that...that you might want to go see my family for a day or two.”

He stared at me for a long moment.  “Your family.” He finally whispered.

“Yeah.”  

I looked away from him then, waiting to hear some lame excuse as to why it wasn’t a good idea...why he couldn’t take that particular step with me right now.  

“You mean, go...eat Thanksgiving dinner with them?”

I looked up at him again.  He looked bewildered, like he’d never done such a thing in his life, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that his parents probably hadn’t been able to give him a proper Thanksgiving when he was growing up.  “That was the idea, Justin.  The boys would have a good time.  There will be a few kids there that are in their age group.”

He shrugged a little, bit his lip and looked away from me for a few moments.  “I’ve...um...I’ve never been around anybody else’s family before.”

He was nervous.  Maybe even a little bit terrified, and I couldn’t blame him.  The positive side to it was, he hadn’t said no yet.  I knew I needed to be a little bit more open with him about how my family was, and show him that he didn’t need to be all that nervous.  “They’re normal...I mean, as normal as any other family can be,” I told him gently.  “Thanksgiving is fun at my house.  We wake up early and go watch the game up at the high school, then everybody comes back to the house, watches TV and eats until they burst.  Then the next morning we go shopping and look at all the Christmas displays set up in town.”

He took a few minutes to absorb everything I told him.  His face contorted into that serious, thoughtful expression I would see on his face whenever he was watching Bloomberg Television, or on an important phone call.  

“Justin if you don’t want to...” I began.

“How long...how long has it been since you’ve seen them?”

He said it abruptly, as if he didn’t even hear me begin to speak, and I knew the whole idea of family was effecting him on a much bigger scale than I originally thought it would.  “About four years,” I whispered.  “I mean, I talk to my parents on the phone once in a while...but I haven’t been home.  I guess it was too painful going back, you know?”

He kissed my forehead gently, and then smiled back at me as if he realized it was something that I really needed to go do.  “Yeah.  Of course I’ll go.  You...you need to see your family.”

I couldn’t believe it.

I still can’t believe it.

Naturally, my family is in cahoots that I’ll be making this appearance at all.  When I called my mom, she practically broke down over the phone with me before my dad intercepted and told me he would see me in a couple of weeks.  I could hear my sister freaking out in the background.

It should be an interesting reunion with them.

We took Davey to Dalton last week.  Justin even took the morning off from work so he could prove to me that everything would go smoothly and Davey would love it there.  I was shocked.  Apparently Trace was pissed about Justin’s absence too. I forgot to mention that the fucker has taken his old position back at Goldman full time, even though he told Justin he was ‘hesitant’ about doing it for weeks.  My thought was that Trace wouldn’t last more than a few weeks not being able to make a profit, and I was right.  The guy even called Justin up on the way, asking him how long it would take to “dump the kid at school,” that it was going to cut into their “Monday run through.”

It was the first time since Trace was acclimated back into society that I heard Justin tell him to fuck off and get back to work.

I stayed out of that whole thing entirely.

Quincy pulled the car up to the curb, and Austin immediately got out and went inside as he always did.  Part of me was hopeful that Davey would follow the example his brother set for him, but as Justin and I got out of the car I realized that it wasn’t going to happen.

“C’mon buddy,” Justin coaxed from his position on the sidewalk.  “Let’s go.  It’s your big day today.”

He’d gone into a sort of trance, arms crossed, gaze firmly fixed on his shoes as he remained seated in the car.  I gave Justin my most skeptical of looks, but he pretended not to notice.

“Remember what we talked about last night?” Justin continued.  “You said you wanted to go to school with Austin.”

“No.”

The word came out of him, barely above a whisper, and I knew my little guy was completely freaked out at the prospect of going into the school.  “Justin I think...”

“He’s going.”  He clenched his jaw once he was finished saying it, and stormed back over to the car.  I heard Davey let out a horrible sounding scream when Justin bent through the open car door, and a moment later he was out again with Davey tucked under one of his arms.

“Justin!” I yelled, as Davey continued to scream his head off.  “Your parenting skills aren’t helping right now!”

“I know what I’m doing!” He snapped at me, his anger taking over his rationalness.  “He pulled this at the funeral.”  He grunted it as he set Davey down on the ground.

Davey proceeded to throw himself down on the sidewalk, kicking, screaming, and pounding the ground with his fists.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.”

“He’s not ready,” I murmured, as Justin stood there and watched Davey throw the tantrum in the middle of the sidewalk.  “You know he’s not.  He’s terrified.”

Justin simply shrugged.  “He’s gotta learn to cope with shit.”

“He’s eight!”

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.”

It was too much.  Davey wouldn’t stop screaming and Justin and I weren’t going to agree on anything that morning.  I decided to cave in then, just stand there and let Justin, the wise master of the universe, figure it out.

“Come on.”  Justin grunted again, and pulled on Davey’s arm, trying to force him to stand up.  Amazingly enough, he managed to do it, and got Davey as far as the inside doorway of Dalton before the kid pulled one of those things that most small children pull when they dont’ want to do something...jello legs.  The kid literally slid right back down onto the floor.

I thought Justin was going to throw him into the next century.  I could see his mind working as he stared at his kid brother, and I knew I needed to step in before Justin lost the rest of his temper inside of a building full of children.  “Davey.”  I crouched down next to him, trying to say it loud enough where he would be able to hear me over his screaming and fist pounding.  “Davey...come on, Justin and I will go into the class with you.  You won’t be alone, okay?  Don’t you want to make new friends?”

“I d-d-don’t wanna goooooooo,” he wailed.  “I d-don’t li-like it h-here.”

I glanced back up at Justin.  “Convinced yet?”

Justin crossed his arms and glared at me.  “No.”

I let out a disgruntled sigh, and decided to try again.  “Davey, please...just try it, for me.  Be a big boy and try.”

“I want momma,” he whimpered, finally curling up into my lap instead of pounding the ground.

I sighed heavily and ran my hand through his silky brown hair.  “Davey....you know, you can’t stay home with me and Francine forever.  You have to be a big boy and go to school like Austin.”

“Get up,” Justin barked at him.  “Now, Davey.”

“Justin, shut up!” I snapped at him.  “You’re not helping.”

Justin threw his hands up in the air then, and stormed back towards the door.  “Fine.  You know what...I don’t even know why the hell I bothered to come.  Obviously, nothing I do is ever the right thing.  It’s better to treat the kid like a wimp for the rest of his life I guess.  Figure out what you’re doing, Ab.  I have to get to work.”

He stormed out and the door slammed behind him.

“Ms. Feldman.  Is...is he okay?”

I looked over my shoulder, as Davey was still curled up in my lap, and discovered who I thought to be the second grade teacher standing before me.  Her smile was welcoming.  I was sure she knew the circumstances behind Davey’s tantrum that morning, and I had never been more embarrassed.  “He’s a little...frightened.”

I could hear the Escalade’s horn honking outside and knew Justin was growing more impatient.  

“Perhaps another day?”

She said it innocently but by the look on her face, I knew she wanted absolutely no part of handling Davey, Justin Timberlake’s brother or not.  “Maybe.”  I picked Davey up off the ground then, and rubbed his back a little bit, whispering to him gently that we were going home.

He calmed right down.

I walked out of the school and got back into the Escalade, belting Davey back into his seat before giving Quincy the go ahead to drive away.  It was deathly quiet in the car for the longest time, apart from Davey’s whimpering.  Justin was staring straight ahead, jaw clenched in frustration.  I wasn’t even going to bother talking to him.  I knew he would just tear my head off if I tried.

“What’s this other school?”  He grunted about twenty minutes later.

I slowly looked over him, trying to suppress the grin that was dying to make its way across my face.  “It’s called Brimwood.”

He let out a very long, frustrated sigh next.  “He’s not a stupid kid,” Justin croaked.

“Nobody is saying he is,” I whispered.  “Justin...he...his parents were killed in front of him...he needs extra attention...”

“I know what happened,” he gritted.  “They were my parents too.”

I just shook my head sadly.  “I’m sorry.”

“Yeah.”

It took me a few minutes to look at him again, and when I did, I saw the tears on his face.  He was crying openly right in front of me, and wasn’t trying to hide it.  “Justin...”

“I worry about him,” he croaked.  “I worry that he won’t be able to hold his head high when he gets older.  It’s...it’s not so bad with Austin.  He’s like me, he can handle himself fine.  But Davey is different.  I don’t...I don’t know what to do, Abbey.  I don’t want to just...shove him in some special school, and not give him a chance to be with regular kids.”

I knew how hard it was for him to come out and express his feelings about his brother like that.  He never did anything like that.  It was hard enough getting him to bond with the boys, let alone get him to talk to me about how he really felt about everything.  I took his hand then, and gave it a firm squeeze.  “Justin, I...I know it’s hard, accepting what kind of kid Davey is right now.  But you know what’s best for him, even if you hate what the best thing is.”

He nodded slightly.  “I just don’t want him to resent me for it.”

“You stopped your life and took them here to live with you, without a question,” I told him.  “You’re giving them the type of life that most people only dream of.  Neither of them will ever resent you for it, and if you give Brimwood a chance, I know that Davey will get better. Hopefully he’ll be able to attend Dalton when he’s ready for middle school.”

He laced his fingers through mine then, and gave me a tight smile.  “I’m sorry.”

I leaned over and gave him a soft kiss.  “I understand.”

Davey is starting at Brimwood December first.  His teacher is wonderful, very patient and understanding.  Davey took to her right away when we took him to the walkthrough.  Justin even had a small meeting with her and was able to understand the place a little better.  He loves the school and all it has to offer for Davey.  I think now, for the first time, he has more hope for his brother’s recovery than ever.

I know Davey is going to be okay.

I feel the plane begin to get lower as we make our decent over Colorado this morning.  I glance out the window as best as I can, since Austin is peering out and covering almost half of the space.  I let Justin have this flight time to himself to finish up some last minute business on his lap top.  He’s sitting in the row across from us while I have Austin on my left and Davey on the aisle.  Both boys are squeezing my hands now.  They can feel the plane dropping.  I know they dislike flying.

“Are we almost there?” Austin whispers.

“Yes.” I peck him on the cheek and he gives me slight glare, as if he’s too old for it.  “It’ll be over soon.  Why don’t you put your things away, and put your coat on?”

“I...I want to wait until we land.”

I snicker a little.  He’s too afraid to let go of my hand right now, and it’s cute, but I won’t point it out to him.  His ego would be crushed, and it’s a holiday.  I can’t do that to the kid, so I sit silently as the captain makes the announcement to prepare for landing, making sure that both the boys have their seatbelts on.  I glance across the aisle at Justin.  He’s closing his laptop and letting out what seems to be a relieved sigh.  “You all set there, tonto?”

He flashes me a tired smile.  “No more work until we get back.  I swear, babe.”

I’m able to land back in my home state with a reassured feeling.  A feeling that tells me Justin cares, that he’s ready to have a great week with me and the boys, and he doesn’t mind meeting my family either.

I really hope I’m right, and that this isn’t just the calm before the storm.
Twenty Eight by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
whoa two chapters in two days! I'm on a roll! This story has recieved almost 11,000 hits since it was posted a few months ago. That's AMAZING! Thank you to all the readers! Even the ones I haven't heard from :) You guys are the best!
I was tossed down on a rock solid floor next to Lennot what seems like weeks ago.  I can’t be sure about how much time has passed though.  My senses have been cut off for far too long.  I’m more helpless now than I’ve been in six years.

I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

They took us both.  Lennot and I.  Yanked us out of our cages in the dead of night.  I thought we were going to be turned into blind bombs.  I tried to fight, to struggle, but they were too strong for me.  They gagged and blindfolded us before tying our hands behind our backs.  Then we traveled.  We traveled for days, and I realized my blind bomb theory was probably wrong.  Sometimes they forced us to get up and walk, but we were mostly transported to this place in some kind of vehicle.  Sometimes they would put water in our mouths, but they never said a word.  I tried pleading with them once, when they were giving me water.  Begged them to tell me what they were doing with us.  All I got was a punch in the face and the gag shoved back in my mouth.

My stomach hurts so bad.  I’m so hungry.  They shoved some bread in my mouth days ago.  That was all I’ve had to eat since they yanked me from my cage.

I keep waiting for a gun to go off...a bullet to hit my brain so I’ll finally be able to rest.  But it never comes.  They never kill us.  They just leave us here to wonder what the fuck is going on.  Keeping us alive is benefitting them somehow.

In the meantime I’m going insane.

I know I’m going insane.

“Mmgrmmph.”

Lennot groans and knocks himself into me.  It’s one of the only ways we can communicate lately.  It means he knows somebody is coming.  I don’t know how he can sense it...he just can.  I squeeze my eyes shut, mentally repeat the Hail Mary ten times, prepare to repent for all of my sins before I die.  

After a moment I can hear heavy footsteps thudding towards us.  

I brace myself for the worst.

“We had a death.  Only one is necessary.”

It’s grunted in Arabic.  I feel a light come on high above me, and I try desperately to make out the owner of the voice I just heard.  It’s useless.  The blindfold is too thick.  I try hard not to make a sound.  I bury my face in the wall I’ve been leaning against, hoping they’ll leave me alone.

“We brought you two.  They’re good workers, broken in.  You can get much use out of them.”

Then it hits me.

We’re about to be sold.

God, no.  No, they can’t.  If we’re moved again...

If we’re moved again, any hope of being found is completely lost.

“I’ll see the young one.” The “customer” finally says.

I’m kicked in the ribs and yanked to my feet, but I’m so weak...I can barely stand up.  The shackles bolting my feet to the floor rattle as I try to maintain my balance, and the man’s grip around my arm tightens, forcing me to stay on my feet.

I feel the tip of a knife pressing to my throat, and I swallow hard.

“You don’t speak.”  It’s whispered to me by who I know is our present owner.  His breath is hot in my face.  It stinks like fish and wine.  I hold my breath.

The gag is yanked free from my mouth and my body reacts by letting out a sharp sob.  I bite down on my lip harshly to make the sound stop.  I taste blood for a moment before my mouth is forced open again.  Then there are fingers in my mouth.  They taste like feces, and I cough harshly when they are finally removed.

“Strong.”  

I’m forced to turn around.  Somebody is touching my backside, pressing on my shoulder blades and lower back.  Then my shirt is yanked up, and I wince in pain when I feel somebody touching the scars all over my back.  Lash marks from six years of “disobedience.”

“Is he trouble?” I hear the customer say.

“No more than the rest.”

I’m shoved back down to the ground, and gagged again.

I sit, frozen in place, as I hear Lennot being inspected next.  It doesn’t take long.  The “customer” say that he’s old.  Our owner talks him up big, tells him that Lennot ‘flew the airplanes’, that he’s a ‘good buy, good for housework.’  He’s desperate for this sale.  Jesus Christ, it’s like we’re a two for one special. I’m trembling, sweating, sick to my stomach.  I’d throw up, but I have nothing inside of me to give up.

The only thing I hear for the next few minutes are the two men muttering to each other off in the distance.  I pick up a few words in Arabic here and there, but I have no idea where the conversation is going.  I wish I could talk to Lennot.  To ask him what he thinks.  But it’s impossible.  “Mrrrmph.” I groan and tap out a pathetic ‘what now’ with my  foot, in the morse code I’ve forced myself to remember since we were dumped here.

Thank God Lennot knows it too.

It’s barbaric communication, but it’s something.

Lennot nudges me and I hear him tap out ‘sale, stay sharp’ in return.  I try to convince myself that he’s wrong.

But I really don’t know.

Then they’re back, laughing now.  My shackles rattle.  I hear them unlock, and I’m pulled to my feet, forced to walk forward immediately. I have no idea who I’m with.  If I’ve been sold, if Lennot has, if we’re together or not.  I start to panic.  My heart beings to race, my breathing gets rapid.  No...no! Somebody help us! Please! “MMMPHH!” I grunt out as loud as I can.  “MMMPHH!”

I’m ignored, shoved along as if I’m not even here.  I try desperately to tell if Lennot is with me or not.  It’s impossible.  All I hear are shuffling footsteps, doors being opened.  I’m outside for barely a minute.  The sunlight feels warm and welcoming on my face.  I can hear birds, the wind, and then I’m shoved inside another place.  When a door slams, I realize I’ve been put into another vehicle.

I’m convinced that I’m alone now.  

That song begins to drift through my brain.  One is the loneliest number...

I’m done.  Lost.  Crazy.

I bawl.  I bawl so hard, like I’m a lost little child.  The dignity I tried so desperately to keep for years is gone now.  I’m hopeless.  My next step...give them a reason to kill me, or find a way to kill myself, because I’m never getting away from them now.

I love you Abbey.

I’m practically passed out when I hear the door open again, and then...a body is tossed on top of me.

A door slams.  An engine starts.  We’re on the move again.  I’m terrified that a complete stranger has been thrown in here with me.

“Mrgrff.”

I’m kicked a little.  

It’s Lennot.

It’s fucking Lennot.

All I want to do is wrap my arms around him and hug him, as queer as that is.  I can feel the tears seeping out from under my blindfold.  “Mmph.” I whimper.

I hear him tapping on the floor of the vehicle with his fingers.  He tells me we’ve been sold together.  That he’ll try to barter for our lives with our new owner.

I don’t even care about a plan right now.

What matters is that he’s still alive, and so am I.  What matters is that we’re still a team.  We’re still two.  Two from twelve.  They didn’t have a chance to make either of us into one of their damn blind bombs.

Thank you God.

Thank you.

It hits me that...it’ll be...Thanksgiving in a few days back home, if I’ve been counting right.  I’d like to think that Abbey is going home for the holiday, that she’ll be with my parents and my brother Mark...bringing them some comfort, and as our journey continues, I allow my mind to drift back to her, like it normally does.  Thinking of her gets my heart to stop racing, stops my mind from thinking of ways to die.  I’m calm again.  Hungry, thirsty, weak, but calm, and that’s important...keeping my head.  Eventually Lennot and I won’t have these gags in our mouths anymore, and when that happens, we need to start strategizing again, come up with a great plan to get us out of this.  I pray to god we won’t be locked in cages this time.

Even if we are though, I know there’s still a chance for us. As long as we’re together, there’s still an inkling of hope.

I can’t give up yet.  Not yet.

“Don’t give up.” I hear Abbey whisper.  “Please don’t give up.”

She appears to me out of the darkness, in her white dress with the blue flowers and her cardigan, hair down and wavy, her smile brilliant and unwavering.  

“I won’t.”

“Promise you’ll come home to me,” she sobs, as she reaches out, and holds my face in her hands.

“I can’t promise you that,” I whimper.  “I...I can’t.”

“Please, Bray,” she pleads.  “Please.”
 
I look her right in the eyes and fuck...she seems too real.  I’m able to touch her and I can feel her smooth, silky skin beneath my fingers.  It’s electric.  It gives me more hope than I’ve had in a really long time.  “I...I promise.  I’ll be home soon, baby,” I whisper.

We kiss.

Then she’s gone.  I struggle to move.  Still tied, still gagged, still blindfolded.

She couldn’t have been there.

But her message was powerful enough to tell me that she still wants me to come home, that she’s waiting.  

I have to do it.  

I have to get back to her, somehow.
Twenty Nine by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
New chapter squeee!

In a million years I never imagined that falling in love with a woman would be easier than reconciling with my best friend.

But it has been.

I just...let go that night.  I looked at her with her makeup running, her eyes filled with a longing, one that told me how badly she needed me, and I felt something inside of me crack.  That one last barrier inside of me, the one that desperately tried to protect me from getting confused and hurt...it was gone.  It was gone and I had to accept the fact that I’d fallen completely in love with Abbey Feldman.  That night in bed was the first time I’d ever been so sensual with a woman.  I listened to her and talked to her while I held her in my arms.  I didn’t take it further, I didn’t try to seduce her because it...it wasn’t the right time for it.  I was using my heart instead of my body parts for once when it came to her.  I couldn’t understand why, I still can’t. I don’t know what makes her so different, why she can mess with my emotions and turn me into a weakling.  She seems have this strange, supernatural power over me that I can’t escape.

But I know I’ll always love her, and I’ll never let anything come between us.  I feel like she’s the only woman I’ll ever be able to love, as crazy as that sounds.  Deep in my mind I can see us getting married and having children.  I tend to shut that out quick, though.  Marriage...I can’t even fathom being married.  My career would kill it, and while I’m now willing to juggle my career and my love life enough to make them both work, I’m not willing to kill my career completely by putting a ring on her finger.

I’m too much of a chicken shit to tell her that, though.

All I can hope is that she doesn’t bring the subject up anytime soon.  We’re going to see her family though.  Even I know being introduced to your girlfriends family is a tell tale sign that your relationship is getting very serious.  I tried not to make a big thing out of it.  The week before we left for Thanksgiving recess I proceeded to focus on work and only work.  With everything that had been going on, certain aspects of my work load had become slightly neglected...in my terms anyway.  Cheryl had been keeping up with certain things for me, telling me that they were all things she could have been doing all along, but I didn’t want to accept that.  I didn’t want to admit to myself that my love life was interfering with my career more than I wanted it to.  

Abbey and I helped Trace and his daughter get settled into his newly renovated apartment, and I for one couldn’t have been happier to get him out of my house.  Don’t get me wrong, I love him.  He’s like a brother to me, and he always will be...but the way we live is on two completely different spectrums.  He’s a slob, plain and simple.  Lucinda was constantly picking his shit up around the house...Kristy’s too, because Abbey refused to do it, and I couldn’t blame her.  It pissed me off that he couldn’t pick up after himself, because I’m a huge neat freak.  Actually, I didn’t realize just how anal I was until Trace came to stay with us.  It’s funny, years ago when we shared that tiny apartment together I never noticed how sloppy he could be.  I guess I didn’t care then.  I was too focused on trying to make my life better.

Trace had been back on the job two weeks before he started to speak his mind.  For a while, I didn’t think he was coming back.  When he first got out of prison he was very withdrawn from society, for the longest time.  Prison had changed my friend.  It made him very mellow, very non confrontational, and he definitely wasn’t thinking about the business side of things.  He spent a lot of his time with Kristy, went on a lot of walks by himself, and spent a ton of time on the phone with who I can only guess was a therapist.  Francine had casually recommended one to him in passing, when she first met him.  He’d been sitting on the sofa looking like the most freaked out person on earth, and I was happy to see him get a little bit of help, even though he acted like he didn’t want any.  I asked him to come back after a couple of weeks of this, but he quickly turned me down.  It shocked me.  Trace Ayala, one of the most miserly people I knew, seemed to want nothing to do with making money.

Then, just like that, he was ready to go again.

I didn’t ask questions because...I don’t think I wanted to hear his reasoning.  The reality was, I wanted him out of my house and out of my face when I wasn’t working so I could figure out things with Abbey.  She had taken his place in a way.  Her opinion mattered, our life together mattered, and everything else came in a close second, including him and his issues.  I welcomed him back to the company, no questions asked.  He was my business partner once more, and I held a board meeting to make sure everybody knew the circumstances.  I could tell there were some that were none too happy with my decision, but I quickly pointed out that those who didn’t agree with my decision could show themselves the door.  Things got back to normal after that.  More than back to normal.  With Trace back on board most of the pressure was taken off of my shoulders, because he seemed to step back in and pick things up like he’d never been gone.

He would make a great CEO, now that I think about it.

But that’s my job.

Work, it had been my only focus just a short while ago.  Even when Abbey and I had first started seeing each other on more than a professional level, I was still focused more on the business aspect of my life.  Then, suddenly, Abbey had taken my life over almost completely.  I hated to admit it...but she was running the show.  If she called me in the middle of the day to tell me she wanted to do something after I got home from work...I was home on time, even if I had a huge workload on my desk and clients up my ass . While Cheryl was happy to keep up with all of that for me, work a little bit extra for the sake of my happiness, my supposed best friend was quick to give me his opinion on the situation.

“You’re losing more than just your focus, Justin.”

I was turned away from him, gazing out at the city skyline, trying to ignore what he was saying to me.  Realistically, I should have known it would only be a matter of time before Trace began to discover my operational slip ups, but I didn’t want to think about it.  I wanted him to turn a blind eye to it, because...I was in love for the first time in my life.  “Everything is fine,” I sighed.

“We’ve lost twelve major clients in the last month,” I heard him say, casually.  “That’s the most we’ve lost since you were promoted.”

I quickly turned to face him.  He was smiling, leaning back in his chair with his hands folded behind his head.  “And you think that’s my fault, right?”

He shrugged.  “All I’m saying is that you haven’t been as focused.  I mean, fucking Christ, you cut off the deal of a lifetime with Trump, and for what? For a woman? I just...” he trailed off, laughed sadly, and ran a hand through his hair.  "I'm trying really hard not to call you a fucking moron right now, but it's almost impossible."

I chuckled, and flashed him a sarcastic smile.  “You just can’t stand to see me happy, can you?” I gritted.

“Justin, I don’t care what you do after work,” he grunted as he lowered his arms and sat up in the chair.  “But when you’re here, I expect you to give the same effort that I do in this partnership.”

He was talking to me like he was my boss, and I wasn’t going to have it.  It was my company.  Trace worked for me, and I knew that he tended to forget that in the past, but things were different now.  We’d taken a huge blow to our partnership, and more so, our friendship.  I was prepared to work with him on all of it, but I couldn’t if he was going to be vindictive.  “You know...I went on a limb for you and let you have your job back,” I told him quietly.  “The least you can do is leave me the hell alone.”

“The company vote is coming up soon,” he reminded me.

I shrugged.  “So? That’s for the department heads downstairs.  It doesn’t effect the executives.”

Trace sighed heavily, and folded his hands, staring down at them for a few moments before looking at me again.  “Maybe it’s time for things to change, Justin.”

I stood back from him a little, crossed my arms, and just stared at him.  I couldn’t believe the things he was saying.  I’d gotten him out of jail, helped him get his life back in order, took care of his kid when he was locked up, even fixed his place for him because his crazy girlfriend had fucked the place up.  Now he seemed determined to undermine me...to...take my job right out from under me.

I couldn’t help but wonder if it was his plan all along.  If he’d been sitting in that jail cell, waiting for his chance to get even with me.  “Are you...are you fucking for real?”

“I do everything around this place,” he snapped.  “From what I’ve heard from certain people, you couldn’t handle the simplest day to day business while I was out of the picture.  I guess I never realized how much shit I’ve done to cover your ass.”  He rose out of the chair then and crossed his arms, pacing back and forth in front of me for a few moments before speaking again.  “I’m going to the board to petition myself for CEO.”

I laughed at him this time, good and hard.  It was ridiculous.  Trace was smart, that was a given, but I was a well liked, respected member of the Wall Street community, and I knew a lot of people that would go to bat for me if they found out what Trace was trying to do.  “You do that,” I said with a smirk.  “But when you fall on your face, you better be prepared for the consequences.  Let’s not forget who was sitting in jail a little while ago.  Do you really think people trust you, Trace?  Hell, I had to hold a board meeting before you came back, just to make it a point that you weren’t to be crucified.”

“You’re not the golden boy you think you are,” he muttered as he turned toward the door.  “Just remember that.”

“You know, if you walk out this is it.  If you get denied...I’ll let you go.  That’s a promise.” I called back to him.  I wasn’t about to back down, because I could tell he was getting a little bit intimidated.  I hadn’t told him about that board meeting.  I wanted him to think the other execs had welcomed him back without incident because they respected him.  The sad fact was that they had formed a less than encouraging opinion about him due to the arrest and trial.  If it hadn’t been for me, his career would have been in the gutter.  

“I won’t lose.”  He said, his hand on the doorknob.  “I do too good of a job to lose.”

“You’re so fucking egotistical, man!”

He whirled back around.  “You’re so busy fucking your girlfriend that you don’t realize your company is starting to fall apart!”

It wasn’t about him taking my job, I knew that then.  It was about Abbey, that I loved her, and that he didn’t have that in his life.  He’d never had it, even when Sydney was alive.  He spent his time with women who loved his money just as much as he did, no one else.  Kristy was a fluke.  A positive one for Trace.  One that he should have been spending more time with.  But he’d taken a nanny in for her the moment he got back into his place.  He never spent his time with her anymore.  Once again, his money had taken over his life.

He expected me to fall back into that same pattern, and I realized that I didn’t care about money as much, for the first time in my life.  I loved Abbey more.  I loved the boys more.  I was the one who had changed for the better.  I was now the type of CEO that I used to detest in the past.  The one who liked to have a life outside of his job, while still maintaining his career.  

And I was happy.  It was the kind of happiness I’d never felt before, not even as a child.  I never wanted the feeling to go away.

“You can’t blame Abbey.”  I shook my head.  “She helped you when I didn’t want to listen.  She’s the reason you’re able to stand here right now and crucify me.”

This seemed to anger him most of all.  “I don’t care what that little cunt did!  She’s just some bitch that you spoil with your fucking money.  You think you love her Justin?  Stop giving her everything and see how fast she leaves you!”

I chuckled sadly and slowly took my seat back behind my desk, pinching the bridge of my nose and sighing harshly.  “I’ll give you the Thanksgiving recess to get yourself a new attitude, Trace.”

“My attitude isn’t going to change!”

I squeezed my eyes shut and rubbed my forehead, hating what I was about to say, but knowing I didn’t have a choice.  I had to protect myself, and the company, before Trace took things too far.  “We’ll meet after Thanksgiving recess,” I repeated, once I was able to look back at him seriously again.  “Until then, I’ll be placing you on temporary suspension, with pay.  Leave your keys and ID badge with security downstairs.”

“You can’t be serious.”

I stared him down like I always did when I was about to fire somebody.  “Did I stutter, Mr. Ayala?”

His jaw dropped a little bit.

“Cheryl, I’ll need a security escort,”  I said into the intercom.

Trace didn’t move.  He just stared at me.

“Sir?” Cheryl said.  

“Now, Cheryl,” I repeated.

“Right away, sir.”

“No.”  Trace shook his head harshly.  “I’m not going on “temporary suspension” you fucking prick.”

I raised an eyebrow.

He took his ID badge out of his pocket, along with his keys, and threw them at me.  “I quit!”

The security officers came into my office seconds later.  I didn’t say another word to Trace, just let them escort him out.  I could hear him swearing at Cheryl on his way out, and then his voice got fainter and fainter...

Then he was gone.

I had Cheryl send him his severance.  I don’t think I could sleep nights if I didn’t give him the things he’d earned while working at Goldman.

I haven’t told Abbey.  I haven’t found it necessary.  There’s been too much drama involving Trace as it is.  I’ve been trying to put him out of my mind, mentally wishing him luck.  Maybe it’s what we need, to be apart.  God willing, he’ll get another job with a viable company.  I don’t want to talk him down.  I can’t be angry.  He’s fucked up because of what happened.  Jail changed him.  It’s horrible and sad, and I’ve lost a great friend.  I can’t be held back by it, though.  I have to cope, move on.  Focus on the good things I have... The boys, and Abbey.

I have a few people lined up for Trace’s job when I get back. I won’t make a final decision until then of course, but Dennis is looking good for it.  He’s a smart, enthusiastic guy, who would do anything for the good of the company.  He’s married too, has a couple of kids.  I could probably learn a thing or two from him.  Like...how he holds it together, and what the hell I’m supposed to do if Abbey decides she can’t be with me unless I marry her.

“I’m gonna get you!”

“Nooooo!”

Austin pelts his brother with a snowball.

Davey shrieks loudly as he speeds by me, Austin hot on his heels with another ripe chunk of snow in his gloved hands.  “Be careful!” I laugh as I finish strapping my left foot into my boot.  We arrived here two days ago, and from the moment we entered the cabin, I knew coming here was the right move.  Abbey absolutely loves being here.  I stare into her eyes and can see a million different memories rushing through her mind.  It’s the first time I’ve ever seen this much of a personality come out of her.  She’s taught me a lot about Aspens history and the Rockies since we’ve been here too, things I never knew about, and that’s saying a lot because I’ve been coming to Aspen since I made my first million.  She told me that she used to come here every year with Braeden and his family.

I wish I wasn’t so damn naive to certain things.

I took the mention of that with a grain of salt.  If I’m going to be with her, I need to expect certain subjects to come up, especially while we’re in her home state.  If anything, learning about her past with her “ex” will probably give me an even deeper insight into who she really is.  I think it’s probably the only way I can do it, because bringing that guy up is pretty much out of the question.  I learned that the hard way in the Hamptons.  I’m just thankful she can talk about him a little bit more with me now.

“God, I hate these things.”

“Here, let me fix it.”  I laugh a little as I stop Abbey from fidgeting with her snowboard boots.  She’s not good at this, at all.  I think she’s fallen down more times on this trip than I ever have since I’ve been coming here.  It slows us down on the slopes, but I don’t care.  It’s fun boarding with her.  I’ve never been boarding with anyone.  When I made these trips in the past, I made them alone.

“Justin I don’t know if I should go out today,” she huffs.  “You’re never going to have any fun if I’m slowing you down.  I can stay behind with the boys and have a snowball fight or something.”

“Come on babe,” I flash her a reassuring smile and kiss her forehead before I finish working on her boots.  “The boys have ski camp today as it is.  You know they don’t want to miss that, they’ve been having a good time.”

“I feel like I make you look like an asshole.”

I laugh.  Really, she’s ridiculous.  “You could never make me look like an asshole,” I remind her.  “I’ve made myself look like one, too many times.  Believe me, there’s not chance of you doing it.”

She rolls her eyes.  “Justin...”

I silence her with a long kiss on the mouth, and when I break it I can tell I’ve cured her of anymore insecurities.  “You ready?” I whisper.

She smirks a little bit.  “Yeah, I guess.”

Abbey gets the boys and we walk them to the ski camp they’ve been attending.  Davey gets excited when he sees his teacher and runs up to give her a hug.  It’s great.  He’s really starting to warm up to people.  After the “Dalton episode” I knew I couldn’t question the fact that he needed special education anymore.  It hurt my ego, but Abbey made me understand that I didn’t have a choice.  Brimwood turned out to be a good place once I gave it a chance.  His teacher seems to be really great, patient, and with all the special programs they have to offer, I know Davey will eventually be okay.

Seeing him act like this with a stranger right now, is proving that he’s already changing.

“See you guys later,” I call out as I take Abbey by the hand.

“Why can’t I just come with you?” Austin huffs as we’re about to walk away.

I groan.

“I thought you liked ski camp.” Abbey says as she lets go of my hand and turns back around.

I turn around too, in time to see Austin slap his hands down at his sides.  “I’m the oldest kid here,” he mutters.  

“You need to stick with your brother,” I huff, and nod at him, hoping he’ll get the hint that this is my time with Abbey.

I mean, I love the kid, I do...but I need alone time with Abbey.  As much time as I can get.

“This sucks!” He yells at me.  “This is baby camp!  You promised you’d show me how to snowboard, Justin!”

I did.  I can’t deny that, but I hate that he has such a good memory.  I was going to try to work in a little bit of time on the slopes with him tomorrow, our last day here.  But it’s obvious to me that Austin is bored with the bunny slopes and wants to spend his time with me.  That should make me feel really great...

But I was hoping to get Abbey in a secluded snow bank and make out with her for most of the afternoon.  I can’t do that with a kid hanging around.

“Justin...let’s just take him.  It’s fine,” Abbey reassures me.  

I look at her, and give her a pleading gaze.  

“He’s miserable,” she whispers.  “Wouldn’t you be? I mean, he’s right.  Those kids are all Davey’s age or younger.”

I sigh harshly and gaze up at the sky for a moment.  “Fine, Aus.”

“All right!”

Abbey laughs.  I know I’ve made them both happy, and that’s good I guess but damn, my hormones have been raging for days and it hasn’t exactly been easy to be intimate with Abbey when the cabin bedrooms are in such close quarters.  We’ve fooled around, yeah, but quietly...and certainly not as much as we’ve wanted to.  I won’t hold my sexual dilemma against my kid brother though.  That’s wrong and...kind of sick, so I’ll just take the day as it is and make time for Abbey and I to be alone later.

We walk to the ski lift and I make sure Abbey and Austin get on okay before I get on with them.  I’ve chosen an easy part of the mountain of course.  I’m not jumping out of my boots or anything because it’s not a challenge for me, but I’m content with the fact that I’ll be able to teach my girlfriend and Austin a thing or two before the end of the day.

Hopefully, Abbey won’t fall down half as much as yesterday.

The lift ride is about twenty minutes, and Abbey and I spend that time holding hands and taking in the beautiful view of the mountains, while Austin plays with his iPod the whole time.  I swear to god, the kid is obsessed with that thing.  I’m not a technological guru and I have no idea how to work one of them, but Austin carts it everywhere he goes.  I know it’s engraved on the back, as it was a birthday present to him from our parents.  His last one before they passed.  It’s why I never say anything to him about using it too much, and certainly wouldn’t think of taking it away as a punishment.   

“It was sweet of you to bring him along.”  Abbey smiles at me gently as I turn my attention back to her.  “He’s been talking about snowboarding with you since before we left.”

I shrug a little.  “I would’ve rather spent the time alone with you,” I whisper.

She rolls her eyes.  “If you behave, there will be plenty of alone time for us later.”

I cock my head to the side.  “Yeah...discreet quiet alone time. We can’t even put that hot tub to good use,” I pout.

“Oh yee of little faith,” she cackles.

I lean in closer to her.  “What’re you up to?” I laugh.

“I have ways of getting you alone, Timberlake,” she winks.  “I know people up here, you tend to forget.”

I gasp.  “You found a babysitter?”

“I’m not telling you,” she says, playfully crossing her arms.  “You just better be on your best behavior today, mister.”

I press my forehead into hers and grin.  “Did I forget to tell you how sexy you are today?”

“Hm, you may have.  I won’t let it count against your scorecard tally for the day though.  You got those points back for letting Austin come along.”

“Well, thanks boss.”

“My iPod!”

I gasp and snap my head around to look at my brother.  He’s leaning over the security gate, trying to grab his iPod that somehow fell down onto the bottom rail of our lift.  It slipped through the grates and is only hanging on by the earbud wire.  I know it’s a gonner. “Austin! Sit up!”

“No!” He wails and slides himself underneath our protective barrier.  “My iPod! I’m gonna lose it!”

“Austin! Get back here now!”

I grab for his arm and miss.

“Austin!” Abbey screams.

The whole thing takes about three seconds.  I see his iPod slip away, and then he loses his balance and falls off the lift right after it.  We must be a good ten feet of the ground right now, as we’ve drawn close to the top of the mountain.

“AUSTIN!” I scream.

I see him hit the snowy ground.

He doesn’t move.

Fuck, no.  No. No. No.

“Oh my god!” Abbey cries and covers her mouth.  “Oh my god!”

I don’t think.  “Stay here.”  I yell it to Abbey before I unlock the security gate, and jump down after him.  I can hear her screaming after me, but I dont’ think about that.  The only thing I can think about is my baby brother lying in the snow...hurt...

Dead...

I land on my side.  It kills.  My body is burning and I’m not sure if I’ve just broken anything, but I don’t think about that.  I force myself to my feet and half run, half limp to where Austin is lying face down in the snow, falling to my knees when I finally reach him.  “Austin.”  I yank his goggles and hat off before removing my gloves and turning him over.  There is blood running out of his nose and down his face.  It chills me to the core.  “Austin!” I yell at him and run my hands through his hair and over his cheeks.  “Austin wake up!  Wake up!”  

I’m shaking him.

I can’t lose him.

I can’t lose one more person without getting to say goodbye.

“Justin...”

His voice comes now, weakly, barely above a whisper.  My eyes snap open and I blink away the tears I didn’t realize had formed.  “Aus...”  I laugh a little and smile.  “Buddy, are you okay?”

“My arm hurts,” he whimpers.  “I can’t move it.”

I hear sirens in the distance.  I know the first thing Abbey probably did when she got off the lift was tell the ranger what happened.  “It’ll be okay.” I say, and continue to stroke his forehead and his hair.  “You...you’re crazy, you know?  Falling out of ski lifts over a thing like that.”

He smiles slightly.  I can’t believe he’s sucking up all the pain this well.

Then again, he’s really great at bottling up his emotions.

Kind of like me.

“Will you find my iPod?” He whimpers again, and scrunches his face up in pain, causing more blood to come gushing out of his nostrils.  “Please, Justin?”

I lean down and kiss his forehead.  I never do shit like this, but right now, I’m so damn thankful that all he probably has is a broken arm and a bloody nose that I don’t care how sappy it is.  I...I don’t know what I would do if I lost him.  If I lost either of my brothers.  My heart starts to ache, and I start to cry right there in front of him.  “I’ll try, okay?” I sob.

“I love you Justin,” he whispers.

“I love you too, Aus.”  

I run my fingers through his hair some more and then his eyes close.  He’s passed out because of the pain, and I know that, but it’s better for him.  Soon there are paramedics surrounding us.  Two of them brought a stretcher and two more of them ask me to move aside so they can start to examine my brother.  I step back and cover my mouth with my hand, still trying to take it in that he’s okay...that he’s not dead.

“Justin.”

I turn and I’m immediately wrapped up in Abbey’s arms.  I bury my face in her shoulder and cry so hard.  It’s the hardest I’ve ever cried in front of her.  “I took my eyes off him for a second,” I whimper.  “I thought we lost him.”

“I know.”  She holds me tighter and rubs the back of my neck soothingly.  “So did I.”

I continue to cry, to let all of my fear and pain out through her because I don’t know what else to do.  I realize this is my breaking point.  Seeing Austin fall, get hurt like that is taking me back to my parents death, how I watched their bodies get lowered into the ground, how I barely mourned for them.  It’s too much.  I just...I can’t take it.

“You’re okay,” I hear her whisper in my hear.  “Justin, everything is okay.  Austin will be okay.”

It takes me a few more minutes but I finally manage to look up at her.  She squeezes my hand.  “The paramedics are taking him to the nearest hospital,” she nods.  “C’mon.  Let’s get Davey and go.”

I don’t say a word, I just follow her, because she knows exactly what to do.  She’s here for me, and I realize she’ll always be here for me, because she loves me.

She’s loved me since the first time she told me she did.  I was just too ignorant to accept it, but yet she stayed.  She tried, and I will never ever doubt her feelings for me or my feelings for her again.

How the hell did I get so lucky?  It’s like I was allowed a second chance to better myself.  It’s like she was sent to me somehow.

Maybe, just maybe, somebody up there is watching out for me.  Somebody that I never was able to say goodbye to.  Maybe this is my reward for helping my brothers, for trying to raise them right.  Maybe mom and dad are looking out for me...for my brothers too.

Maybe I haven’t really lost them after all.

Thirty by ialwayzbesingin

I don’t think I’ve ever been so terrified in my life.  When Austin fell, I didn’t feel like the “little boy I lived with” was in danger.  I felt like he was my own flesh and blood.  I wanted to do what Justin did, jump down there and make sure he was okay.

But one of us had to keep their head.

Justin is crazy in his own way.  Anybody who knows him really well would probably agree.  Today topped it all, though.  I never expected him to jump out of a ski lift after his brother.  I don’t know what he was thinking about.  He could have gotten hurt even worse than Austin did.  At the same time, I don’t think Justin cared.  He was only looking out for the well being of his brother.  Nothing else mattered to him.

If that doesn’t prove to the world that Justin Timberlake has a big heart, I don’t know what else will.

Despite his protesting, Austin’s doctor forced Justin to get x-rays taken due to his ten foot fall from the ski lift.  Justin muttered the whole time he was taken to xray, about how he was fine and that they needed to be worrying about Austin.  The doctor informed him there was plenty of staff willing and able to look after the both of them.  I was asked to go back to the waiting room as Justin was led through the x-ray room doors, and I prayed that he would turn out just fine.  The fact that he was limping and wincing in pain wasn’t too promising though.  

“Mrs. Timberlake?”
My head snaps up and I give the doctor a wide eyed stare, being able to feel my cheeks burning due to the mix up.  “Oh we...I mean, I’m just his girlfriend.”

“My mistake,” he laughs.  “You two just seem like quite the couple.  Justin hasn’t stopped asking when he can see you.”

It makes me blush harder.  “You can just call me Abbey,” I squeak.

He nods.  “Justin will be fine.  He has a slight bruising of the ribs, but other than that there’s no permanent damage done.  I’ve prescribed some pain killers.  He should probably just take it easy the rest of your trip.  I wouldn’t suggested going out on the slopes.”

I suck in a breath and nod.  “What about Austin?”

“Well, he’s lucky.  He has a broken left arm and some contusions on his face, but the height of that fall should have done a lot more damage considering his age.  He’ll have a cast on for about two months, but other than that he should be just fine,” he smiles.  “We’ve sedated him and he’ll be here overnight, but Justin is free to go anytime.”

“Thank you.”  I’m silently thanking God for the miracle as I shake the doctors hand, trying my best to be strong instead of the hysterical mess I’ve been most of the afternoon.

“Anytime, ma’am.  Say, your boyfriend wouldn’t happen to be that big Wall Street mogul everybody talks about, would he?”

He makes me laugh a little bit.  It’s strange to me, Justin being recognized outside of Manhattan.  I never realize just how far his work stretches across the nation.  It makes me wonder what the hell my family is going to say when they meet him.

As it is, they have no idea I’m bringing him with me.

“That’s him,” I say softly.  

“I see some story about him all the time on CNN,” the doctor chuckles again.  “He’s so young.  Must be a brilliant guy.”

I just shrug.  I mean, I don’t see Justin like most people do.  To mean, he’s not some brilliant Wall Street genius.  He’s Justin.  The sometimes arrogant, sometimes cocky, mostly adorable man I’ve fallen in love with.  “I guess so,” I chuckle.  “Can I see my genius now?”

“Certainly,” the doctor laughs, obviously getting the hint that it’s been a long day for the both of us.  He leads the way down the hall and allows me entry into the room that Justin was brought to after he was x-rayed.  I quickly walk inside, smiling slightly, not being able to help the tears that seep out of my eyes when I see him laying in the hospital bed smiling back at me.

“They say I may lose a limb,” he says, trying to hide that smile of his.

I roll my eyes and practically collapse onto the bed with him.  “You’re a bad liar.”

He pulls me down to lean against him, and I draw my legs up so I can curl right into his body.  I feel him kiss the top of my head and I rub his chest gently.  “The doctor said Austin will be okay.”

“Yeah,” he says gently.  “Broken arm.  Poor kid.”

“Thank God that’s all it was,” I sigh.  

“Mm.”  He hums it and lets out a long breath.

I know he’s trying not to think about it.  It’s freaked him out, and I can understand.

“How’s Davey?” Justin asks after a while as he runs his fingers through my hair.

“Mostly oblivious I think,” I say gently.  “A nurse brought him into the playroom.  He asked where Austin was, but I just told him he was asleep.”

“That’s good.  He doesn’t need anymore stress right now.”

I agree with him, and we continue to lay together for a few minutes, silent, just taking everything in.  “You know,” I speak up with a slight smile.  “When the doctor came to get me before, he called me Mrs. Timberlake.”

Justin chuckles softly.  “Serious?”

“Yeah.”

I’m waiting to hear what he says.  Not that I can see myself getting married anytime soon but...Justin has been so different lately.  He’s been a lot more focused on us I guess, and if he’s willing, I’d love to know what his real opinion on marriage is.

“I’ve never really thought about it.”

I move my head slightly so I can look up at him.  “What? Marriage?”

“Yeah...it’s just something that I’ve sort of avoided.  I don’t want to lie to you, Abbey.  I mean, it’s a crazy thought, spending the rest of your life with one person.”

I scoff a little bit, and look back at his chest again.  “It’s not that crazy.  If you love somebody, really love them, you should get married.”

He shrugs a little bit.  “What if you’re happy with the way your life is? Why change it?”

“Every relationship needs to progress,” I explain.  “It’s just another part of life.”

He rubs my arm a little bit and kisses me on the top of the head once more before pushing on me a little so we can both sit up.  “I don’t know how I feel about marriage,” he tells me softly, putting a hand to my cheek and rubbing his thumb across it.  “But if...if it did happen to me one day, I can’t see myself...without...you, you know?”

I can tell how much it took for him to say that, but I don’t want to get jumpy or overly excited about his comment.  I mean, he just said he doesn’t know how he feels about it.  He just sees himself with me.  I guess that’s good.  I mean, it got me to smile just now, and I know that’s probably the best explanation he’s going to give me about the subject  on a day like to day...

Or anytime in the near future.

I cringe at the prospect of my parents asking him about it.

“And now it’s time for awkward silence,” I hear him laugh.

I turn back to him and nudge him a little.  “It’s not awkward.”

“Well, you didn’t say anything.”

He’s grinning mischievously and it causes me to groan and roll my eyes.  “Are you ready to go?  I think those pain killers they gave you might be going to your head a little bit.”

“It’s not so much the pain killers.  I keep thinking about that hot tub and the babysitter you promised to get.”

He laughs as he starts kissing my neck, and this isn’t the best time for Justin and I to play doctor, even if we are in a hospital.  “I think any chance of you and me in a hot tub went out the window this afternoon.”

“Come on,” he breathes into me and laughs.  “We have one kid out of the house for the night...just need to do something with the other one.”

“Justin.”

“It’s just tonight.  You know you want to go in the hot tub with me and I have to admit, it would be very wrong of us to subject my little baby brother to our sexual escapade,” he whispers and bites my neck a little.  “Abeee,” he coos.  “I know you brought that two piece get up with you for a reason.”

How did he see that? I swear, I made it a point to hide it from him.  “I hate you.”

God, it’s a terrible thing that I’m horny.  My poor Austin is laid up in a hospital bed, and I’m sure Davey is very confused even if he is oblivious.  If I give into temptation I’m sure I’ll go straight to hell one day.  

“But the doctor said I can’t go boarding now,” he says, feigning misery.  “What am I supposed to do with myself?”

“Read a book?” I shrug.

I laugh as he roughly pulls me back to him and slams his lips into mine.  It’s not a gentle kiss.  He’s biting my lip and shoving his tongue in my mouth.  He’s trying to show me what I’m missing out on.  We haven’t been this wild in quite some time.  

But it’s so wrong though.

“We can’t do this here...”

He doesn’t stop.

“We can’t do this here!” I push him away gently, trying my best not to laugh.  “Justin!”

“Come on, call the babysitter,” he pushes me.  “You know you want to.”

I sigh.  I know the offer is still open.  Yesterday I ran into somebody I used to go skiing with when Braeden was still alive.  She was excited to see me, told me about how she got married a few years ago, has a four year old.  I told her I was up here with my boyfriend and his brothers.  Her response?

“Kids? Have you had a night to yourselves yet?”

I told her that we hadn’t and the crazy thing was, she offered to take the boys overnight if I wanted.

It was like fate was telling me that I owed it to myself to have a wild night of hot tub sex with Justin.  

And I guess fate still is.

“Fine, when we get back to the cabin.”

He just smiles.  I know I’ve made his day that much better.

And I guess mine too.

I help Justin get out of the bed, and we walk down the hall to check in on Austin before we leave.  He’s still asleep.  Justin gives him a small kiss on the forehead and I give him one on the cheek before checking to make sure his pillows are nice and fluffy and he’s tucked in the way he likes to be.  I whisper in his ear that we’ll be back in the morning, and he sort of mumbles incomprehensibly in his sleep.

“He’ll be okay, Ab,” Justin reassures me from the doorway with a little smile.  

I just nod, try to contain my emotions as I take Justin’s hand.  We find Davey in the playroom, and it takes several minutes for him to leave behind some toy he discovered before we can go on our way.  Justin arranged a limousine somehow, and it’s waiting for us as we walk out of the hospital.  We get in, and once Davey is buckled into his seat, Justin drapes his arm around me and I immediately relax all over again as we head back to our cabin.

He has this way of making me feel completely safe, no matter what type of situation we’re in.  The fact that he had our ride back ready and waiting for us make me love him even more.  He’s ready to take care of me and the boys without a question.

I don’t know if I’m jumping the gun, but at the moment I can’t see spending my life with anybody else.  Ever.

I get Davey changed and settled in with some cartoons when we get back to the cabin, and Justin situates himself on the couch with some pillows to watch along with him, not hesitating to remind me to call my “friend,” whenever he can.  I laugh at him and tell him I’m calling in the other room so he can’t shout out obscene remarks in the background.

“Me?” He points to his chest innocently.  “Never.”

I roll my eyes and go to make the call.

“Hi Faun,” I smile brightly when she picks up on the other end.  “It’s Abbey Feldman.”

“Oh Abbey! Hi! I was wondering if you were going to call.  I have a bunch of little ones at our cabin tonight and it would be perfect for Braeden’s brothers.  Just bring them by whenever your ready.”

I almost drop the phone.  I wasn’t expecting that, but why would she think any differently?  It’s not exactly world wide news that Braeden disappeared.  I can’t be angry with her.

But I need to sit down.

“Oh...yeah,” I continue, my voice trembling slightly.  “I was going to drop one of the boys off, Davey, he’s nine.  He won’t be any trouble I’m...I’m sure.”

“That’s perfectly fine.  Bring Braeden along for the ride if you can! I’d love to say hello!”

Now I just feel sick, and I know I need to toughen up and get over it, just tell her the truth before something else awkward happens.  “Um, Faun,” I say after a moment.

“Hmm?”

“Braeden...um...” I trail off and rub my face a little.  “Braeden...something happened to him about six years ago.  He...he went to Afghanistan and he never came back.”

There’s a long pause.

“Oh...Abbey.  Abbey, I’m sorry,” she finally says.  “I...I had no idea.”

“It’s not your fault,” I say, trying to keep the despair out of my voice.  “You couldn’t have known.  It’s been a long time.”

“So you’re with somebody new?” She says it quickly, obviously trying to change the subject.  

“Yes.”

“Well...bring him along for the ride then.”  She laughs but it’s forced.  “I’ll see you soon.”

She hangs up before I can say anything else.

I don’t know what to think except I don’t want to see her and I definitely don’t want to leave Davey with her.

Justin is going to be disappointed, but that’s not my issue right now.

My issue is getting Braeden out of my head.  God, just when I thought I was getting past it...

“So is it all set?”

I look up at Justin.  He’s standing in the door way with the same playful smirk he’s had on his face all afternoon.  I wish I could play along with him but, god, that really fucked me up.  It shouldn’t have.  I should have been able to take that and let it roll off my shoulders.

I guess it’s because of how abruptly she hung up on me.  It was like she was signaling me that while I could still drop Davey off, she’d be a lot more comfortable if I never spoke to her again.

“No,” I murmur and force myself to stand up.  “She can’t do it after all.”

“Bitch,” he groans.  “That just sucks.”

I just shrug.  “Davey shouldn’t be with strangers anyway.”

“Well we can figure it out,” he says, gently gripping my arm as I try to walk out of the room and away from him.  “He’s a pretty sound sleeper.”

“Yeah.”

I push past him.

“Ab.”

I ignore him and don’t stop walking until I’m out on the porch.  I take a few long, even breaths, just so I won’t hyperventilate.

“You know, you can’t keep doing this to yourself.”

It’s not Justin, and when I look up, I almost scream, but stop myself.

It’s him...well...I mean, it can’t be him.

But it is him.

“Braeden?”  I whimper.

“Come on.”  He sits down on the log porch swing and pats the empty space beside him.  “Come talk to me.”

I shake my head.  “You’re...you’re not really there.”

He shrugs.  “Do you want to talk to me or not?”

I look back over my shoulder.  Justin hasn’t followed me outside, and when I peer through the window I can see him laying on the couch again, Davey curled up against his chest.  I think he knows his plans with me today have just about fallen through, and he’s accepted it.  

I can’t wait for the conversation that will take place between us later on.

“Babs.”

I look back at him.  He’s still there, waiting for me to join him.

It’s crazy, but I do it.

“Look,” Braeden sighs and rubs his thighs with his hands.  “You know I’m gone.  I’ve been gone for a long time.”

I look down at my lap and bite my lip.  “I miss you,” I whisper.

“I miss you too.  But you can’t dwell on us anymore.  It’s just...it’s wearing you down.  Look at you, you started over.  That’s great.  Don’t jeopardize what you have with him because of me.”

“What...what happened to you? Where are you?” I ask him desperately.

He’s quiet for a while.  “I don’t know.”

I shake my head roughly.  “I don’t want to leave you behind, Bray.”

“You’re not leaving me behind.  I’ll be okay.”

His hand is on top of mine, and for a moment I feel it, and think he’s really there.  I look up and into his eyes.  He’s smiling brightly at me.  “Braeden!”

I reach out for him.

And then he’s gone.

That hasn’t happened to me in years.

I whimper and then I’m crying into my hands, so hard.  I don’t know what to think.  It’s the littlest things that set me off about him, and now that I’m home I guess everything that reminds me of Braeden is taking over me, forcing me to realize that he’s gone without any sort of explanation.  

What if he’s out there? Alive? What if he’s just lost or hurt or being held prisoner?  What if he’s trying to find his way back home somehow?  

What if I shouldn’t have started my life over again?  What if I’m supposed to wait for him?

“Hey.”

I force myself to stop crying, and look back over my shoulder.  Justin is standing on the porch, looking at me like he doesn’t know what to do.  “Oh...”  I trail off and wipe at my eyes harshly.  “Hey.”

“Everything okay?”

He slowly approaches me and takes a seat where Braeden was sitting moments ago.

I shrug a little.  “I think it’s just been a long day, that’s all.”

“You’re probably right.”  He chuckles softy and gently pulls me down so I can rest against his shoulder.  “Austin falls out of the ski lift and then the babysitter cancels our hot tub date.  I think it’s been a day filled with bad luck all around,” he chuckles and I find that I’m able to laugh a little bit.

This man loves me and I know I love him.

That should be enough.  I want to forget about Braeden, desperately.

Something just won’t allow me to do it.  Every time I think I’m doing well, that he’s out of the picture, something is said, or something happens to make me remember why I loved him so much in the first place.

It’s just not fair.  It’s not fair to me and it’s certainly not fair to Justin.

“We’ll make the best of it,” he nods and kisses me gently.  “No more tears.”

I nod a little.  He has no idea why I was really crying, but telling him, I know, would make him feel awkward and out of place, so I’ll keep my mouth shut.  “Sorry.”

He shakes his head.   “Don’t be.”

We sit together like that for a while, and soon the sky begins to turn orange and purple and pink.  The sun is setting, night is falling, and the chill in the air is getting worse.  I shiver a little, and Justin tells me we should go inside.  I take his hand and we head into the house, where we find Davey asleep in the middle of the floor.

“Long day for him,” I laugh.

Justin nods a little bit and smirks at me.  “Looks like he’s out cold.”

We carry him to his bedroom, and change him into his pajamas before I tuck him in and kiss him goodnight.  Justin kisses him goodnight as well, and then we are finally awake and alone together.

“What do you say Mrs. Timberlake,” Justin jokes as we head back into the living room.  “I don’t think Davey will notice if we take a quick dip, do you?”

I have to laugh.  “I guess it’s fine as long as we keep our clothes on.”

“That might be a problem,” he tells me with a fake tone of remorse.  “But I can try.”


r32;“Justin!” I laugh out loud as he grabs my hand and drags me through the house and into the master suite where the hot tub is.  “Justin...” I trail off when he immediately starts to strip off his clothes.  “I thought we agreed...”

“Fuck what we agreed on.”

He storms up to me, seemingly determined to ignore the rules, and starts kissing me wildly and stripping off my clothes.  A good part of me is ready to tell him no, that we have a kid in the house...

But god damn, I’m such an emotional mess tonight that I’d be lying if I said I didn’t need Justin to do this right now.

Soon we’re both naked and in the hot, soothing water together.  Justin kisses me and touches me in all the right places, props me up against the wall eventually and expertly makes love to me in the water.  It’s incredible, like no sexual encounter I’ve ever experienced before.  It makes me forget why I was upset, forget about Braeden.  All I think about is Justin, how much I love him, how good he’s making me feel.  When I reach my climax, it takes everything in me not to cry out in joyus rapture, for fear of traumatizing the child a few bedrooms down.  Instead I pull him to me and kiss him hard, moaning into him at the same time.  Then it ends, and he sits back against the wall of the tub, pulling me into him so I can relax finally.  

“Wasn’t so bad huh?” He pants.  “No harm done.”

I look up at him and flash him a tired smile.  “No,” I breathe out.  “I think it was just what I needed.”

Thirty One by ialwayzbesingin

Once we picked Austin up from the hospital this morning, Justin and I decided it would be better if we left for Brighton this afternoon rather than wait until tomorrow.  With Austin’s arm broken and Justin under a no snowboarding order from the doctor, there really isn’t a point in staying at the resort any longer.  The boys would get bored, and I guess...I really want to get home, and if I can get there sooner without a complaint from my boyfriend, I’m going to take it.  I got the boys packed up while Justin arranged for our ride to come.  He even made us lunch, all by himself.  Spaghetti and meatballs.  Until today, I had no idea he even knew how to boil water.

He’s just full of surprises lately.

I had just closed the last of the boys suitcases when my cell phone began to ring, and I pulled it out of my pocket, thinking it might have been my mother calling to see if I was definitely coming to the house the next day.  I smiled at the prospect of being able to tell her she would probably see me by the time the sun set, but when I answered, I quickly realized it wasn’t my mother on the line.

“Hey,” Charlene said quietly after I answered.  “Are you in Colorado?”

I neglected to tell her I was going.  Actually, I’d neglected to keep in touch with her since that night at the restaurant, or really...for weeks before that.  I’d been busy with the boys, and my free time was usually taken up by Justin, or the group of women in Justin’s neighborhood that I’d become associated with.  I felt a sinking feeling forming in the pit of my stomach because I knew she was probably angry with me.  “I...yeah...” I trailed off and tried to think of a good explanation to give her.  “I’m in Aspen with Justin and the boys right now, but we’re leaving for Brighton in a couple of hours.”

“Yeah, I thought so.  I was talking to your mom yesterday and she said you were coming up for Thanksgiving.”

A long pause followed.  I knew she was waiting for me to say something, or...apologize for barely speaking to her for weeks on end, but I couldn’t find the words.  Too much was going on, and my mind was only focused on one thing: introducing the family to my new boyfriend.

“I thought you might have let me know,” she finally said with a long sigh.  “It would have been nice to go home with you.  You know I don’t go up for Thanksgiving anymore.  You and I have spent it together the last few years.”

“I’m sorry,” I muttered.  “I just...”

“I know, don’t tell me,” she laughed sarcastically.  “You were busy with Justin and couldn’t find the time to call your best friend up and let her know what you were doing.”

“That’s kind of harsh.”

“Yeah, maybe, but it’s the truth.  I hope you’re having a great time living it up with your rich boyfriend, Abbey.  Maybe when you have the time, you could remember who let you live on their couch for four years, while you moped about Braeden.”

“Char...”

She hung up on me.

She had every right to be pissed.  Most of the reason she didn’t go home for Thanksgiving anymore, was because of me.  We usually spent the holiday together curled up on the couch, watching the parade on TV.  Charlene knew better than anybody how hard it was for me to go through the holidays without Braeden, and she sacrificed her family time so I would be okay.  I knew she felt betrayed.  I should have called her up and asked her to join us for the holiday.

I was just...too wrapped up in my own life to remember her feelings.  That thought made me want to hop the first plane back to New York and talk to her, before she was able to turn her back on me completely.  The thing was, I’d already told my parents and my sister that I was coming, and I was sure Justin was holding back a lot of anxiety so he would be able to meet my family without having a panic attack

I couldn’t turn back.

“Hey, you ready?  Limo’s out front.  I got the boys in already.”

I smooth my hair out of my eyes and flash Justin a small smile as I rise up from the floor.  “Yeah,” I nod.  “Just finished packing your things.”

“Great.”  

He smiles brightly, but when I don’t return it, I can tell he knows something is wrong.  I don’t want to talk about it with him.  We have a four hour car trip ahead of us with two very fidgety kids.  I’d like to keep the stress level down however possible.

“You okay?”

He gently grasps my arm and pulls me back to him as I try to move past him with one of our suitcases.  I’m forced to look him in the eye, and I can see how worried he is.  Not just about me, but about this visit with my parents in general.  I know it’s somewhat important to him...what they think, and he has no idea what they’re like.  I’d like to reassure him, tell him that they’re very easy going and will welcome our relationship with open arms...

But I just don’t know how they’ll take it.  It’s going to be very sudden...me showing up with Justin and the boys.  In reality, they’re still trying to move past the fact that Braeden disappeared.  They loved him like a son, and when we got the call telling us he was missing in action, they took it almost as hard as I did.  I can see my dad questioning Justin about everything and my mother giving him that quiet look of disapproval the entire time we’re at the house.

“Charlene is pissed at me,” I admit to him, shrugging my shoulders a little bit as he strokes my hair.  “I...I didn’t tell her I was coming home for Thanksgiving.  I guess I should have.”

“Why is it any of her business?” He chuckles.  “That girl thinks she has to know everything that goes on with you.  I could tell that when I met her.”

He doesn’t know Charlene, and I can’t blame him for forming that opinion about her after one meeting.  “She...has a right to be mad,” I defend.  “She’s been there for me in the past and I’ve been neglecting her.”

He sucks in a long breath.  “You know, when you took me to meet her that night, and you went to the bathroom, she basically told me that you were only using me as a shoulder to cry on.  Some friend.”

I cock my head to the side.  “What?”

“It doesn’t matter.”

He tries to kiss me but I back away.  “Yeah it does,” I snap.  “I want to know what you mean.”

He stares at me for a long moment.  “She just...she doesn’t think you’re over him, that’s all.  How stupid is that, Ab? I know you are.  If you weren’t we wouldn’t be here together, and we certainly wouldn’t have had a night like we had last night.”

It crushes me, what she said, and confuses me even more, as if that were even possible.  Is Charlene right? Am I still holding out for Braeden despite what I’ve told myself? Am I just using Justin as a cushion?  Somebody to lean on and seek comfort from until Braeden comes home?

I mean, what if Braeden came home tomorrow? What would happen? Would I tell Justin ‘it’s been fun but I need to get back to my old life now’?   

I stare at him again.

No, I could never do that.  I love him too much.

I’ve moved on.  

Still, I really don’t know what I’d be capable of doing if that happened.

It freaks me out, but I know the idea is impossible.

Braeden isn’t coming home.

“I don’t want you to worry about her,” Justin says gently as he kisses my forehead.  “We’re going to see your family.  That’s important, you know?  You need to be in a good state of mind, especially since you’re springing the three Timberlake boys on them,” he smiles.  “I’ll be suprised if they don’t all head for the hills.  I mean, Austin can annoy the best of them.”

I laugh a little.  He’s taking all of this so well, and being so supportive.  I can’t dwell on Charlene, I realize.  I have to make this effort for him, because for the first time, he’s trying really hard.  He’s not trying to back out of this.  He’s ready to take this step in our relationship, and that’s just...so damn amazing when just a couple of months ago he couldn’t bare to tell me that he loved me.  That means I have to try too.  I have to try harder at this than I’ve tried at anything in years, and I’ll do it for him.

Because I love him.

Justin helps me with the rest of our bags, and we finally pile into the limousine with the boys.  They’re seated across from us with the portable DVD player between them, immersed in a movie.  I pray it can keep their attention for the duration of our car ride, because I’d like to take a nap if I can.

Justin pulls out his laptop as the car begins to move, and I lay my head on his shoulder.  He kisses me gently and tells me to get some sleep, and I take his advice without a question.  I doze off for a long time, and when I’m gently nudged awake again I recognize where we are right away.  I see the little brown and white church off to our right and the Chick-Fil-A and the bowling alley off to the left.

I know I’m close to home, and the memories...they come rushing back to me like a tidal wave.

“So I was thinking.”

I glance at him as I take the ball out of the return and smile a little.  “Oh yeah?  What about?”

“About how I’m going to pay for law school.”

I throw the ball down the lane, and hit all the pins but one.  “Damn.”  I turn back to Braeden, having barely paid attention to what he just said.  “I thought you were getting that scholarship.”

He shakes his head.  “So did I.  They gave it to somebody else.”

“Oh.”  I sit down next to him and he takes my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.  “So...what other idea did you have in mind?”

“Well I was talking to that recruiter in the school cafeteria the other day.  He said the military will pay for college,” he smiles.  “It’s only a couple of years, you know? Then I’m free.”

I sigh and look down at our intertwined hands.  “Bray...I...I don’t know.”

“Hey, I think it’s a positive thing, Babs.”  He cups my face with his palm and caresses my skin gently.  “My parents can’t afford much with my moms chemo.  You know that.”

I nod a little but don’t look him in the eyes.  “I’m just...afraid, I guess.”

“Hey.”r32;
I meet his gaze again.  

“Nothing’s going to happen to me.”  He reassures me.  “We’re not even at war, and the chances of something happening like that in our lifetime is rare.  I might get deployed overseas to do some community work after boot camp, but that’s it.  I can build a future for us this way, you know?  Help pay mom’s hospital bills too.”

I suck in a long breath.  He’s telling me this because he wants my blessing.  I can think of a thousand reasons why joining the military is dangerous and bad, but Braeden has made a lot of valid points.  He wants to go to law school and without a scholarship he’ll be attending community college in the fall.  “Okay,” I nod slightly.  “As long as you’re careful.”

He smiles.  

I never should have said yes.

“So this is your hometown?”

I snap out of it and look over at my boyfriend, who is glancing curiously out the window as we pass through the city.  “Yeah, it’s not really much to look at.”

“Hey, it’s not everywhere you go that you can see mountains behind a Chick-Fil-A,” he laughs.  “In Memphis there was a gas station behind ours.”

“I like Chick-Fil-A,” Austin pipes up, as he scratches the skin around his cast.  “Can we go there? Please?”

“Maybe when we’re leaving,” I tell him.  “We’ll probably have dinner when we get to the house.”

He pouts and looks out the window.

“I want you to be on your best behavior while we’re staying with Abbey’s family, Austin,” Justin tells him firmly.  “Set a good example for Davey.”

“I will,” he grumbles.
“Hey.”  Justin sits up a little bit.  “Look at me.”

Austin glances at his brother.  

“I want your word, got it?  These people don’t know us.  I don’t want them getting the wrong idea.”

“Fine.”  Austin rolls his eyes and goes back to gazing out the window again.

He’s still bitter about his iPod.  They couldn’t find it, said it must have gotten swept away in a snowbank.  It broke my heart to tell him because he was so attached to the thing.  Justin promised him he would buy him a new one when we got back to the city, but it didn’t seem to cheer him up.  It was a precious memory of his parents that can’t be replaced.

I feel horrible about it.  I should have made him leave it behind when we went out to the slopes that day, should have been watching him more closely on the lift instead of flirting with Justin.  But I can’t change the past.

Any of it.

“I’ll be a good boy, Justin,” Davey smiles.  

“I know you will, buddy,” Justin nods in approval and smiles at him before draping his arm around my shoulders.  “Are we almost there?”

I glance out the window again.  We’ve turned out of the downtown area and are heading towards my neighborhood now.  “Nearly,” I whisper.

“I think you’re more nervous about this than I am,” he laughs.  “And you’ve known these people your entire life.”

I shrug a little bit, let him kiss me on the mouth, before I respond.  “It’s just...a little hard, being here, that’s all.”

He looks at me with understanding in his eyes.  “Can I do anything?”

“Just...take my parents with a grain of salt,” I tell him.  “Because right now, I have no idea what they’re going to say.”

“Noted.  Let me just make sure I have the right info...your name is Abbey right?”

I nudge him playfully.  “Jerk.”

Then, just like there, we’re here.

The limo pulls into the driveway and comes to a stop.  The boys look out their respective windows anxiously, and Davey quickly points out the tire swing hanging off the oak tree in the front yard.  I tell him he can use it tomorrow and he smiles back at me gratefully.

At least one of us isn’t concerned that this trip might not go well.

“You go ahead.  I’ll get their jackets on,” Justin tells me as the driver opens the door for me.  

I’m sure he’s going to do more than just get the boys in their jackets.  He probably needs a few minutes to collect himself and think about what he’s supposed to say, just like when he’s preparing to speak in front of a large group of people.  He’s such a professional. “Okay,” I whisper.

The moment I get out of the car I see the front door to my parents house open.  My sister, Hannah, a petite sixteen year old blonde, steps onto the front porch, letting the storm door swing shut behind her.  She stares at me, and then at the limo, and then back at me again, covering her mouth with her hands.

“Hi, Hannah,” I say, forcing a smile.

After a couple of long moments, she snaps out of her trance and races down the porch steps to greet me.  “Abbey!” She squeals and throws herself into my arms.  We hug for a long time, and I feel the tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. I can feel it inside of me...

It’s been too long.  I should have come back.

“Holy cow you came here in a limo?” She says to me once we pull apart from each other again.  “Mom and dad said they might help me get one for prom.  Did you hit the lotto or something?”

I laugh.  “Not quite.  Where’s mom and dad?”

“Out back,” she nods.  “Barbara and Sammy are over.  We didn't think you were coming til tomorrow.”

As if the situation wasn’t awkward enough, I have to see Braeden’s parents as well as my own.  That means Justin has to meet them too...

I can’t see this going well at all.  I mean, my parents I can handle.  I can even handle Sammy.  

But Barbara is another story.

We haven’t spoken at all since she made the decision to declare Braeden dead, and I know I’m not ready to face her tonight.

I want to run away...

“Abbey, I’m hungry,” Austin says as he slides out of the limo next.  

But I can’t run away now.

“Abbey...who is that?”  My sister automatically questions.

I suck in a long breath and motion Austin to come over to where I’m standing.  “Hannah this is Austin.  I help take care of him.  Austin this is my sister, Hannah.”

He stands up a little straighter, as I’m sure Justin instructed him to do before he got out of the car.  “Hello ma’am.”
 
She laughs out loud as he sticks his good hand out for her to shake.  “Oh my gosh you have a little southern accent!  That’s so cute!  Abbey, he’s too cute!”

“I’m...I’m not cute,” he grumbles.

He sounds just like his brother.

“Yes you are,” she coos as she pinches his cheek.  “Awe and your broke your arm too.  Come on, there’s fudge in the house.  I’ll give you some.”

His eyes light up immediately and he seems to forget all about the fact that he’s not cute.  “Okay...but, my little brother is gonna want some too.”

My sister eyes me suspiciously.  “You brought two of them?”

“And more!” Austin gloats, mischievously.  “Abbey has a boyfriend!”

“Austin!” I frown as I put my hands on my hips.

My sister raises a suspicious eyebrow.  “What?”

I don’t have a chance to explain, because Davey gets out of the car next, with Justin right behind him.  He runs past us to catch up with Austin while Justin smiles at my sister as he makes his way over to us.  

“Abbey,” Hannah whispers.

I want to crawl into a hole and never come out.  “Yeah.”

“Why...why is that Justin Timberlake stock market guy here...with you?”

Jesus.  Who don’t these kids know about nowadays?  “I...we sort of...well...”

“Hi, I’m Justin.” He smiles as he reaches the spot where we’re standing, and lets go of Davey’s hand so he can shake hers.  “It’s nice to meet you, finally.”

God, he’s playing this up big.

My sister giggles.  That means she thinks he’s hot, and I roll my eyes as she nervously shakes his hand.  “I’m Abbey’s sister Hannah,” she says lightly.  “I...I recognize you.  I think I saw you on a video we watched at school.”

He shrugs.  “Do I look any different?”

“No, not really,” she laughs.

“And I take it that’s a good thing?”

I roll my eyes.  “Please don’t boost his ego.”  

“Do mom and dad know about him?” Hannah asks me, even though Justin can hear her.

I don’t quite meet her gaze.  “No.”

She laughs out loud.  “And I was going to go to Stacey’s for dinner.”

“I hate you!” I call out after her as she skips merrily back up the porch steps.

“I hate you morr-ee.  Come on boys!”

They race up the steps eagerly.  She lets them enter the house before her and then she follows, letting the door shut behind her.  I hit myself in the forehead with my hand, hating how this is going already.

“She’s a character,” Justin laughs.  

“That’s nothing, believe me.  She’s probably out back right now announcing to the family that I brought a guy home.”

“Well they need to find out sometime.”

He’s right.  “Yeah I just...I guess I’m nervous.  I didn’t think she’d know who you are.”

“It’s my literacy program,” he tells me.  “I don’t think I told you, we were able to get funding for a nationwide outreach program, so it’s being tested and placed into schools all over the country.”

I didn’t know that, and it makes me happy that something he values so much is getting put to good use, but at the same time it means my parents will know right away that I’m dating somebody in the public eye.  It’s quite a jump from Braeden, and I feel like they won’t know what to think about my love life.  “That’s great.” I try to sound enthusiastic, but fail.

“Come on.” He says quietly as he puts his arm around me and rubs my shoulder a little.  “Let’s just get this over with.”

I nod a little and let him lead me up the stairs and into the house that I grew up in.  Just standing in the foyer brings back a million long forgotten memories that I don’t feel like remembering right now.  I look toward the fireplace and I can see it...clear as day...prom night, Braeden and I being forced to stand there and smile while our parents took dozens of pictures of us.  

I look away quickly, keep moving through the house with Justin and out the back door where my family is seated on the patio.  The boys are sitting near my sister, playing some kind of board game.  I’ll have to remember to thank her for distracting them later on.  She didn’t have to do it.  I’m a terrible sister who’s neglected her for years...

I guess she must understand the terrible pain I’ve gone through over the years and she’s willing to trust me again.

“Abbey.”

I look over at the large patio table, and find that I’m being stared down like I’m an alien or something.  It’s not so much my father as it is my mother.  Her head is sort of cocked to the side and her eyes keep shifting between Justin and I.  I have no idea what the hell I’m supposed to say.

Then Barbara stands up.

I swallow hard and can hear Justin clearing his throat.

“Hello, Abbey,” she says softly.

I look away from her.  “Hi Barbara.”

“Mrs. Feldman?” Justin smiles and steps forward to introduce himself to her, obviously not being able to differentiate between my parents and Braeden’s.  I can’t blame him.  I should have been more straight forward with him before we walked back here.

“No.” She shakes her head quickly and stalks back into the house without another glance in my direction.  Sammy gets up soon after and nods at me slightly before following his wife into the house.

Justin looks at me like he’s completely confused and overwhelmed.

“I’m Mrs. Feldman,” my mother speaks up as she steps towards us.  

“Oh.”  Justin blushes slightly.  “Well, it’s nice to meet you. Abbey talks about you all the time.”

Oh God.  He knows that’s a lie.

“Well,” my mother lets out a breath and seems to force a smile as she shakes Justin’s hand.  “This is the first we’ve heard of you,” she nods.  “Supper will be ready soon.  I have to check the roast.”

“Mom...” I start to say, but she won’t look at me.  The only thing she can seem to do is walk briskly back into the house, just like Barbara did.

It means she’s really pissed at me, and I know I’ll have a lot of explaining to do later on.

Justin looks back at me, his eyebrows raised.  I don’t think he was expecting this.

I think I was, though.

“How long is it going to be before you acknowledge your dear old dad?”

It makes me smile.  I’m thankful for him, and when Justin snickers, I can tell that he’s not as nervous anymore.  “Hi daddy.”  I walk into his outstretched arms, and he hugs me for a long time.

“Don’t mind your mother,” he laughs lightly as he kisses me on the cheek.  “You know how she handles things.”

“Yeah.  I know.” I say, and try to force a small smile for him.  It works, sort of.

“So, what was your name, son?”

Justin smiles genuinely and steps over to us, taking a seat when my father motions him to sit down.  “Uh, it’s Justin.  Justin Timberlake.”

“You look awfully familiar.”

He shrugs and glances at me.  “I’m known in many circles, sir.”

My dad snaps his fingers suddenly, before I can say anything else.  “Bloomberg!” He exclaims.  “Aren’t you a commentator on ‘Bloomberg Bottom Line’ sometimes?”

Justin laughs a little bit and rubs his top lip, a nervous habit of his.  “Once in a while.  I haven’t been on a few months though.”  He glances at me and winks.  “I’ve been a little too busy.”

“I love that show,” my dad says, his eyes glazed over in a way that I’ve only seen when he’s made a big sale at the dealership.  “That guy knows his stuff.”

Justin lets out a nervous laugh.  “Yeah, Mark is a cool guy.  We have a lot to talk about.  Do you invest, sir?”

“When I can,” he laughs.  “I’ve made a few investments here and there.  Got a few hundred dollars out of them.  Nothing spectacular.”

“Maybe I can give you some insight,” Justin offers with a small laugh.  “We should sit down again before the weekend is up.”

“What company was it that you work for again?”

I know this is going to be bad.  I mean, I told my parents months ago that I’d gotten a job at Goldman Sachs.  Once Justin tells my father where he works, he’s going to put two and two together.

I seriously doubt he’ll be thrilled with the fact that I’m sleeping with my ‘boss’.

Except I never really held a job at the firm.  I was just hired to be his nanny.  So that makes me a liar, too.

“It’s Goldman Sachs,” he says gently, barely meeting my gaze.  “I was made CEO a few years ago.”

“Ah, yes.”  My father strokes his chin, deep in thought for several moments.  “Abbey, didn’t you tell me you got a job there?”

Fuck.  “Yes,” I mutter.

All my father does is look back at Justin, who has resorted to gazing down at the table now.  “Geez.  How the hell did my daughter manage this?”  He laughs and slaps his thigh.

I let out a long breath of relief.  My dad is so fucking cool sometimes.

It gets Justin to laugh out loud, and I know that things are going to be okay.  That my father has accepted us.  I think it’s because he’s really happy that I decided to come home this year.  he wants me to be happy and to get over what happened to Braeden too.  I can’t say the same for my mother.  She worries too much, that’s her problem.  She’ll probably lecture me on how I’m moving too fast and how “men like Justin only want one thing”

I don’t even want to think what Barbara will say to me if she gets me alone.  It will be anything but pleasant, and the last thing I want to do is get into a screaming match with Braeden’s mother over a holiday weekend.  He never would have wanted us to resent each other, and I’m going to do the best I can to keep out of her way.

“She’s great, sir,” Justin tells him as they shake hands.  “We’re very happy together.”

“It’s about time,” my father agrees.  “Abbey needs a change in her life.”  He pats Justin on the shoulder as he gets up and looks over at Austin and Davey.  “These your boys?”

“My brothers,” he says.  “Guys, say hello.”

“Hi.”  They don’t look up from their game as they say it in unison.

Justin sighs but I give him a look that tells him to leave them alone.

My dad gives him a queer look.  “You’re raising your brothers?”

“Yeah well...my parents passed away over the summer,” Justin tells him softly.  “I took them in.”

A look of intense realization takes over my dad’s expression.  I think he’s starting to understand what brought Justin and I together in the first place.  The fact that we both lost people we loved.  “I’ll see you two inside for supper,” he whispers, and heads back into the house.

“He’s pretty cool,” Justin nods, once my father is out of sight.

I flop down into a chair and put my head in my hands.  “Yeah but my mother is on the warpath.”

“Ab, it’s going to be fine.  She’ll come around.”

I look up at him again when I feel his hand on my shoulder.  I can’t understand why he’s so calm, why he thinks everything will magically work itself out.  I mean, how can he when they stared him down and tried to make him feel like an unwanted outsider?  “My mother is stubborn as hell,” I tell him.  “She’s not coming around.”

“Give it a couple of days,” he nods.  “We have time.”

I just grunt in response.

“Who were those other people?” Justin says to me quietly, probably because he knows my sister is within earshot of our conversation.  “That lady was a bitch.”

I sigh harshly.  “Braeden’s parents.”

“Oh.”

I look up at him.  “Yeah, sorry you had to see Barbara’s bad side, J.”

He shrugs.  “I don’t know her.  I can’t judge her right away.”

“We haven’t talked in years,” I tell him.  “She...she made them declare Braeden dead and I didn’t want anything to do with her anymore.  It’s just...bad.  I wasn’t expecting to see her tonight.”

“She’s going to have to accept the fact that you’re with me now,” he says without a sliver of doubt in his voice.  “They all are.”  

He pulls on my hand and I let myself plop down onto his lap.  “It’s not going to be easy.”

He shrugs.  “What is, Ab?  You have to fight for the important things in this world.  You know that as well as I do.”

He’s right.  I need to try to talk to my mother rationally and explain things, explain how I believe in Justin and he believes me, that we take care of each other and love each other.  She’ll have to listen to me.  Too many years have passed for her to ignore me now. 

“Hey dinner is...”

I snap to attention and look towards the house.  I see Braeden’s brother Mark immediately, and have to suck in a long breath.

He might as well be Braeden at age sixteen.

He looks just like him, and it’s eerie.  I feel chills running up and down my spine and I have to look away from him.

“Abbey?” He questions.

“Hey, Mark,” I whisper, feeling Justin’s hand rubbing my upper back gently.  “How...how are you?”

He shrugs.  “I’ve been okay.”

“Did you get your tux for Homecoming?” My sister speaks up and I see his cheeks turning pink.

“Yeah.  It’s at the house.”

“Finally.”  Hannah gets up from the board game she was playing with the boys and marches up to him. “I thought you’d never get it done.”

She kisses his cheek and he puts an arm around her waist.


They’re dating.

They’re a spitting image of how Braeden and I were, and I start to feel sick to my stomach.

“Who’s this?” He nods to Justin.

“This is Justin.” I look back at him and he smiles a little bit.  “My boyfriend.”

Mark doesn’t smile.  I know it’s difficult for him to accept.  “Oh.”

“Hey man,” Justin says brightly as he rubs my shoulders and kisses my neck.

Mark doesn’t answer him.  “Dinner’s ready,” he says quietly before tugging on Hannah’s hand so she’ll follow him back into the house.

“These people have issues,” Justin whispers after a moment.


“It’s hard,” I say, whipping my head around to glare at him.  “They’ve been through shit and I haven’t exactly been around.”

“I’d think they’d be a little happier for you.  You’ve gotten yourself together and you’re doing well.”

I shrug and look at the ground.  “I guess it would be different if there had been some closure.  I mean, they never recovered Braeden’s body.  Sometimes I think they’re all waiting for him to miraculously walk back into our lives.  Hell, I was in that same state of mind until we started getting serious,” I confess.  “I think it was a mistake coming here,” I whimper.  “It’s not fair that you and the boys have to be subjected to all of this.  We should just...get the next flight out.”

“You’re not going to run away from these people.”

“Why not,” I mutter.  

“Look, I’d give anything to get a second chance with my family, Ab.  At least yours is still around.  At least you have them to talk to, regardless if they’re yelling at you or not.  I won’t let you walk away, like I walked away.”

“You had your reasons.” I don’t look at him as I whisper it.

“I was a stupid fucking kid,” he grits out.  “I mean, yeah, I got lucky...I made something of myself, but I’d give it all back if it meant they would be alive right now, you know?”

Everything he’s saying is making sense.  I should know how lucky I am to have my family here with me, even if they’re still messed up because of Braeden.  Running away would only turn them further against me, and I probably wouldn’t be able to recover from it this time.  I need to stay, I know that now, I just wish things would get a little bit easier.

But it’s only day one.

“I’m starving.”  Justin smiles and pushes me gently so I’ll get off his lap, and he rises to his feet.  “Come on boys, let’s go eat.”  He motions them to go into the house ahead of us, and surprisingly enough they do it without much of a fuss.  Then he steps up to me and kisses me passionately on the mouth, as if we’re the only two people in the world that matter at the moment.  “I love you,” he whispers.  “Okay? They’re not going to change my mind, I promise.”

I feel the tears threatening to spill out of my eyes and I quickly push them back inside of me.  “I love you too,” I croak out.

“Come on.”

I take his hand and follow him inside my parents house, feeling slightly better about the whole situation.  No matter what happens, good or bad, I know that I’ll always have him, that he’ll always be here to protect me and defend me.  

I’m probably the luckiest woman in the world at this very moment.

Thirty Two by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone who has been keeping up with this story! Enoy!

I meant what I said.

If I had a choice between seeing my parents again, or having billions of dollars, I’d choose getting my parents back.

I shocked myself too.  It’s taken me years to come to the realization that I shouldn’t have turned my back on them, and months to admit that I do miss them, despite the hardened feelings I formed about them so long ago.

The positive thing? I know my words of encouragement struck a cord with Abbey.  I think she realized why she couldn’t run away from her family.  No matter how much her family looks down their noses at her new relationship with me, they still need her.  I could see it on her mother’s face when I said hello, that look that told me she missed her daughter, that she’d do anything to get things back to the way they used to be.

And I want to help, if I can.

Dinner last night was quiet and very awkward.  Glasses clinked, flatware scratched against plates, and with the exception of Abbey’s dad, everyone at the table kept glancing between me, the boys, and Abbey, seeming to condemn our relationship to the core.  I wanted to...but I couldn’t say anything.  I knew damn well how hard it was for all of them to accept my presence.  I just hoped things would mellow out a little bit before the holiday began.  Abbey’s dad is the one person that’s seemed to be on our side since the beginning, welcoming the notion that Abbey was involved in a relationship with open arms.  He’s been treating me and the boys like members of the family.  It was slightly weird how he recognized me from the television, though.  I’m never called out like that back in the city.  People know who I am, but it’s not like I’m a celebrity.  I’m just some rich asshole who runs a major corporation on Wall Street, that’s it.

Still, I’d like to look over his investment portfolio with him.  By the look of things, I can tell Abbey’s family doesn’t have tons of money.  They’re strictly middle class, the house looks like it needs a good paint job and a new roof, but they seem to take it with a grain of salt.  This is how normal people live.  I guess I just...forgot was that was like, having to save for things, having to worry about bills.  It’s been so long since any of that has effected my life.  I look at them and I wish they could be rich like me.  I’d love to make it happen, but I can see her mother ripping up any check I would write to them in my face.  If she could, I’m sure she’d find a way to bring Braeden back from the dead to be with her daughter.  It’s unfortunate because I know how much Abbey and I have grown together over the past couple of months, how happy she is now.  

How in love we are.

It’s early.  Barely seven.  I couldn’t sleep.  Abbey and I decided it would be best if we slept in separate rooms for the time being, so her mother wouldn’t have another reason to get on her case.  I did it with a heavy heart.  It’s been months since I’ve slept without her right beside me.  I guess that explains why I’m wide awake right now, sitting on the couch with some coffee, switching between ESPN and Bloomberg Television, the volume turned down low so I won’t wake up the whole house.  My eyes float to the framed photographs on top of the entertainment center.  There’s so many of Abbey and Hannah.  I smile.  They were both cute kids.  I get up from the sofa to take a closer look.

Suddenly, I wish I hadn’t.

I recognize Braeden immediately, because his brother looks almost identical to him.  He’s sitting on a rock in front of an immaculate looking beach, Abbey leaning against him while his arms encircle her waist.  They’re smiling like they don’t have a care in the world.  I’ve only seen that smile on her face a few times before.  More so on this trip than any other time.  It’s the smile that let’s me know she’s completely content and happy.  Her eyes are filled with a magic that tells me how in love she is.  That she’s about to marry this guy.  My curiosity takes over me even more, and I pull the framed picture down to me, opening up the back to see if there is a date scrawled on the other side of the photo.

Virginia Beach, August 2000


I count the years off in my head, and realize it must have taken a year before he disappeared.

I draw in a long breath, and start to reassemble everything before a folded piece of paper stuck to the backing of the frame flutters to the floor.

I stare at it.

Put it back, I tell myself.

I crouch down to retrieve it, and try to put it back in the frame without it unfolding, but for whatever reason, it seems to pop open flat in my hands.  I see scrawled out, messy script lining the entire page, and I realize it’s a letter.  I peer closer at it...

To my Abbey Babsey...

I shouldn’t be reading this.  I look behind me and all around.  I’m alone, and my curiosity pulls at me more, willing me to scan the page with my eyes.

I gaze back at the paper, and realize I can’t help myself.  I begin to read.

To my Abbey Babsey,

I was looking through my things the other day and found a roll of film in the bottom of my duffle.  They actually have a one hour photo on our base now, can you believe that? I realized it was the last roll of film missing from the family trip to Virginia Beach last year, the one you swore you threw out.  There were a dozen pictures, so I picked my favorite one to send to you.  I think I’m smiling like a doofus in it, but you look beautiful.  I keep it with me always.  I hope you’ll carry your copy with you too.

It’s hotter than it’s ever been here, but I’m pulling through it the best I can.  I think back to our favorite mountain, hiking up it with you, the cool breeze on our face as we breathed in the crisp air, and I try to imagine that it’s the way things are here. There’s so much dust and dirt floating through the air that I can barely breathe sometimes.  It’s killing my allergies, but they have shots to keep my body in check.  

It’s worse here than it was a year ago, both environmentally and community wise.  The streets are war torn.  People are living in dilapidated slums everywhere we go.   There’s a lot of little kids running around the streets without clothes or shoes.  A bunch of us got on a truck yesterday and handed out care packages to them.  They mobbed us.  I tried to make sure everybody got something, but I know we couldn’t get to everybody, and I’m sure some kids still went to bed hungry.  It’s disheartening to know that none of these kids have families they can count on like we can.  I hope you’re all doing well and that Mark is keeping out of trouble.  Let him know that if he manages to fuck up I’ll find the first chopper out of here and come home to kick his ass.

The nights are long and lonely, and I find myself lying awake thinking about us.  Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing, reenlisting.  Sometimes I wish I would have listened to you and stayed behind.  But then I see the look on those kids faces every time I’m able to give them something, and I know I’m doing something good here, even though most of the people that live here hate us, and try to kill us every day.  

I’m not supposed to tell you this, but I don’t see the point in keeping secrets from you, since I’ve never done it before in all these years.  As I write this, we’re gearing up for a mission.  We leave at dawn.  I’m not sure what it’s about, because they won’t tell us.  I’m a little afraid.  I’d only tell you that, Babs.  They all think I’m a big tough guy around here.  I try to be, but I know I’m not all that.  I need you to pray for me.  Can you do that? As long as I know you are, I’m sure I’ll get back safe, and home to you in a couple of months.  They tell me I may get leave for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  

I’ll end here.  I would rather stay up writing you a book all night, but I know I need some stamina for our four am wake up call.  Please send my love to everybody and give my mom a kiss.

I love you Abbey Babsey, and I’m marrying you when I come home.  I promise.

Love forever,
r32;Bray

10/27/01



I shove the letter back in the frame and close it up again before carefully returning it to it’s original place on the shelf.  I know that was the last thing he ever wrote to her, and I can understand why she would allow her family to keep it here at the house.  That way she wouldn’t be tempted to read the letter over and over again.

It’s so fucking sad.

I walk back to the couch and sit down slowly.

I realize that I don’t know if I could ever love Abbey the way that guy did.  It hits me right in the heart, and it hurts.

It’s no wonder it took her all these years to start over, no wonder why love is so much more important to her than it’s ever been to me.

It gets me wondering if I’m really good enough for her.  If I deserve her.

“Couldn’t sleep?”

I slowly pick my head up and see her standing there in her pajamas.  “No,” I say gently, forcing a small smile.  “I guess not.”

She smirks a little and makes her way over to sit beside me, sipping her coffee for a moment before placing the mug on the coffee table.  She looks into my eyes, and I can tell she knows I’m not at my best right now.  I have no intention of telling her why.

“You okay?” She reaches out and touches my face a little.  “Is my family driving you as crazy as they’re driving me?”

I shrug a little and put my hand on the one that’s touching my face, not saying anything as I gently press my lips to hers.  I breathe her in, try to see if there’s any doubt to how I feel about her.  If I really love her has much as I’ve convinced myself that I do.  But there’s no question.  I just...know it.  There’s nobody like her, and there never will be.  Her old boyfriend is long gone...and I need to snap out of it.

“Justin,” she laughs after we finish our kiss.  “What’re you doing?”

“Kissing you,” I whisper with a gentle laugh.  “I just felt like kissing you.”

She smirks and laughs softly.  “I thought we could go up to the mountain today, take the boys.  The rest of the family won’t be here until tonight, that’s when the real holiday party will start.  I’ll get mandated to kitchen duty after that.”

“Sure,” I nod.  “Anything you want.”

She kisses my cheek.  “I’m going to shower and get the boys out of bed, okay?”

“I’ll see you in a bit,” I call back to her as she saunters away from me. “Babsey,” I say to myself once she’s gone, with a bewildered chuckle.  “Weird.”

I finish my own coffee, before slurping down what’s left of Abbey’s, and bring our mugs into the kitchen, doing her mother the courtesy of rinsing them out before placing them in the dishwasher.  I turn around, ready to head up for my shower, and I nearly run right into Abbey’s mother before I can get more than three steps.  She shrieks a little.  “Shit.” I blurt out.

Great.

“Oh...I...I didn’t expect you to be up,” she says, laughing a little bit.

She sounds like Abbey does when she laughs.

“I didn’t mean to swear,” I flash her a nervous smile.  “Sorry.”

She nods a little.  “Are you two planning anything today?”

She asks me the question just as I’m about to walk away from her, and I know it took her a good solid minute to decide whether or not she was going to be nice to me this morning.  I don’t really want to get involved with her at the moment.  I don’t want to cause an issue, but she’s being nice, and I think Abbey would get pissed if she knew I ignored her mother on purpose.  “Um, Abbey said something about going to the mountain,” I tell her when I turn to look at her again.

“Well, that’s nice.”

She takes a mug out of the cabinet and slams the door shut.

I know she’s still really bitter about me being here.

“Mrs. Feldman...I...”

“You can call me Andrea,” she says softly as she pours herself a mug full of coffee.

“Okay...”  I trail off and suck in a breath.  “Andrea, I...I never meant to make you uncomfortable.”

She leans back against the counter and looks me up and down for several moments, taking me all in.  I must look like a mess, face full of stubble, hair frizzy, wearing nothing but a wifebeater and some flannel pajama pants.  “It’s just hard for me to understand why Abbey would be dating somebody like you.”

I lean back against the opposite counter and stare back at her for a few moments.  I get it.  I get why she would think that.  She looks at me and only sees my wealth and power.  She doesn’t know my backstory, and she doesn’t now that Abbey has been my emotional savior.  She doesn’t want to know.  She’s afraid.  Afraid that I’m going to hurt Abbey all over again.  “We have a lot in common.  It’s just...hard to see, I get that.  But I would never do anything to hurt her.  I...I love her.”

She presses her lips together and shrugs.  “It’s her life, Justin,” she sighs.  “I haven’t seen my daughter in four years.  I don’t know her anymore.  If she’s in love with you, I wish you both the best.”
“You can get to know her again,” I tell her.  “She’s the one that wanted to come home.  I know she misses you.”

“One thing you’ll learn about Abbey is she doesn’t know what’s best for her.  She gets attached to somebody, she loses them, and then she loses herself.”

She’s talking about Braeden, but really, I don’t understand how Abbey wasn’t supposed to spiral downward after the guy disappeared.  After reading that letter he wrote, I think any girl he was with would have done the same thing.  “I don’t think she could help how she felt when he...”

“His name was Braeden.”

She won’t look at me.  I know it’s a sour subject to talk about at seven in the morning, especially when this woman barely wants anything to do with me as it is.  “I’m sorry.  Braeden.  When Braeden disappeared.”

“Please don’t act like you know how any of that effected us, Justin,” she whispers, takes another sip of her coffee, and begins to walk away from me completely.  “Just make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into.”

It’s like they all resent Abbey.  They resent her for moving on, but why?  What is she supposed to do? Wait around? See if they ever come and tell her that he’s alive? She can’t.  She’s too good of a person to do that.  “She can’t wait around for him forever,” I say.  “He’s legally dead.  It should be a great thing that she’s moving forward.”

“Those documents were drawn up to settle Braeden’s affairs,” she snaps.

I sigh.  I know even if I respond to that, it won’t make a difference.  “I’m sorry I got involved,” I say gently.  “It’s not my place.”

“You’re right.”

She walks away from me.

I think warming up to Abbey’s family is out of the question now.  The woman isn’t even giving me a chance, and I’m sure when the rest of the extended family arrives for Thanksgiving, I’m going to be treated even worse.  I mean, it doesn’t bother me to the point that I want to leave.  I deal with assholes everyday in the business world, and I’m pretty immune to negativity, but I’m sure Abbey is going to grow even more uncomfortable because of it.  It really sucks, because I feel like she’ll end up telling me that she wants to go back home.  This was supposed to be a good visit, that would help her reconnect with her family and move forward with her life.

It’s anything but that for her though.

I just don’t know what to do.  I feel helpless.

I hate that.

“Justin!  Justin can we go to Chick-Fil-A today?”

I turn around and laugh when I lay my eyes on Austin.  This early in the morning and all he can think about is that fast food restaurant?  It helps me to ease up slightly, and I smile at him.  “Yeah, sure buddy, if you want.”

He smiles a little as he scratches the skin around his cast.  “Do we have to go to the mountains today?”

I step closer to him and ruffle his curly hair.  “It’ll make Abbey happy.  It’s been awhile since she’s been here.  She does a lot for us, Austin.  We should try to do something she wants to do.  Besides, you haven’t seen enough of the mountains yet.”

He shrugs.  “I’ve seen enough,” he mutters as he points to his cast.

I narrow my eyes at him.  “Austin.”

“Okay,” he groans.  “Fine.”

“Where’s your brother?”

“Abbey’s helping him get dressed,” he nods.  “She said that you have to take a shower.”

I chuckle.  “She’s right.”

I take him into the living room and put the TV on for him, warning him not to touch anything except for the remote while he’s alone down here.  He gives me his word, which at this point is pretty reliable, and I head upstairs to take my shower.  I take a quick one, tone down my stubble with my razor, and tame my frizz before throwing on a couple of layers of clothing.  When I get out of the bathroom, I begin to head back downstairs, but the conversation that catches my ears makes me stop and listen.

“Why can’t you just be happy for me?”

It’s Abbey.

“I’m trying to be.”  Her mother answers.  “But you have nothing in common with him!”

“You don’t even know him, mom! You’re not giving him a chance!  He didn’t have to come.  He came because he loves me.”

“And do you love him?”

“Of course I do.”

I smile.

“What about Braeden?”

Abbey is silent for a long time.  Her mother is really fucking messed up to say that to her.  It makes me want to storm in there and defend Abbey as hard as I can.

“Braeden is gone, mom.”

“That doesn’t mean you don’t love him anymore,” Andrea whispers.  “How is that fair to Justin?”

“I’ve moved on,” she states.  “I’m in love with Justin now.”

“I can tell that you’re lying to me, Abbey.  Everybody knows you’re lying, and it’s not fair to Barbara and Sammy.  They thought you were still in mourning and you show up with a complete stranger!”

“I CAN’T WAIT AROUND FOREVER!”

It’s the first time I’ve ever heard her scream at somebody like that.  Even in the beginning, when I was an arrogant fuck and pissing her off, she never screamed at me quite like that.  It scares me a little.  I didn’t know she was capable of it.  

“Then if you want to move on...if you’re completely serious about this guy and those boys, sign the papers so we can all get on with our lives.”

“This is about money,” she whimpers.  “That’s all it is.  I sent you that check.  What happened to that money?”

“It’s not just about the money, it will prove that you know Braeden isn’t coming back.  That check you sent us went to the lovely credit card bill we racked up when you borrowed that money from us! It’s a full circle Abbey! It’s time to help out other people besides yourself.”

“That money was for...part of Braeden’s tuition,” she cries.  “It was never meant for anything other than that.  He worked that crappy job all through high school to save it up.”

“The Sampsons need the money to help Mark with his college tuition.  That account is in both your names.  Nobody can access the funds unless you agree to close it.  Honestly, honey, I think we’ve all waited long enough.  I’m sure he would have wanted it this way.”

“That’s what you all say...he would have wanted us to declare him dead...he would have wanted us to spend the money he earned! You’re all so greedy...you never cared that he went off to war and didn’t come back!  It’s like you wanted him dead!”

I hear a slapping sound, followed by a sharp whimper, and then Abbey reemerges from the room, holding her face and sobbing quietly.  I don’t think, I just go to her, catch her in my arms as she begins to fall down to her knees.  I know she’s melting down emotionally.

I need to get her out of here.

“Ab.” I say it gently as I rub her back in a soothing, circular motion.  “Shh.”

“I want to go home,” she sobs into me.  “Justin please...get us a flight home.”

I sigh heavily.  While it’s the easiest way out of this, the easiest way to get her relaxed and back in her right frame of mind, I know it’s not the best solution.  “How about we get out of here for a while? We can talk about this when we’re alone.”

“I...I can’t...I can’t do this anymore.  I can’t battle with them anymore, Justin.”

It’s the first time I’ve been able to understand how Braeden’s disappearance affected the people in Abbey’s life.  All along I thought they were supportive and understanding, and would be glad to see her happy with somebody new.  But a disgusted feeling is forming inside of me now.  It seems all they want to do is cash in on the money that Braeden left behind, and I know how much that must hurt Abbey inside.  “C’mon.”

I help her down the stairs, and find that Davey has join Austin on the couch.  They stare at us but don’t say anything.  I know it’s hard for them to see Abbey this upset, and I quickly tell them to get their jackets so we can head out.  Our ride is waiting for us when we step out onto the porch, and I motion the boys to get in the car while I slowly walk Abbey down the steps.

She’s still hysterical, and I gaze back at the house hoping that somebody in her family will care enough to come out and talk to us before we leave.

But nobody does.  I realize I could go in there, pack our bags and take us back to Manhattan and they probably wouldn’t care then either.  Sure, her father might call, but that’s one person against how many?  I mean, Hannah couldn’t even step in and help defend Abbey?  I don’t get it at all...

And I completely resent them.

It’s the first time I’ve ever realized how much Abbey’s family has left her hanging in the dust, just like mine did all those years ago.  Right now, I know exactly how she feels.

“I’ll pack everything right now.” I say once we get inside the limousine.  “We can leave, Ab.  I’ll figure out how to make a turkey for you.”

She doesn’t laugh at my light humor.  She’s still sobbing and holding her face while she stares out the window.  I glance at the boys.  Austin is staring at her, eyes wide, obviously freaked out by her emotional breakdown.  Davey is looking at a coloring book, oblivious.

“I don’t know what to do,” she croaks.  “None of them are going to rest until Barbara and Sammy...well, more like Barbara gets what she wants.”

I sigh a little.  “How much is in the account?”

“You heard that whole thing?” She mutters.

“Pretty much, yeah.”

“Braeden...he created this bank account while he was in high school.  We were both working at the same part time job, so he put my name on the account too in case I wanted to save any of my own money.  By the time he left for Afghanistan he’d saved almost twenty grand, but it still wasn’t enough to cover what he needed for school.  I...I was hoping that they would find his body, and we could use the money to make a nice monument for him or something,” she sniffles.  “I...I don’t see why Braeden's parents should be able to use it for Marks tuition.”

I sit back in my seat, and think long and hard about something.  I know what I can do, but the question is, will Abbey even let me?  “I’ll write a check,” I say, rubbing her shoulders lightly.  “Then it’ll be over with.”

“No.”  She shakes her head harshly.  “They don’t deserve that either.”

“I know it’s hard,” I say after a moment.  “But they lost their son.  I think they just...want to do right by the one they have left.  I’m not defending them.  It’s wrong of them to put this much pressure on you about this, but I have the money and it’s not like it’ll bankrupt me if I give it to them.”

She looks over at me slowly, and rubs some of the tears out of her eyes and off her cheeks.  “I can’t ask you to do that.”

“You don’t have to.  I want to do it,” I nod.  “Maybe it will help them accept me a little more.”

“You shouldn’t have to bribe my family....god, no...I’m not letting you do this.  It’s not right.  I mean, Barbara could care less how my parents are paying for Hannah’s tuition.  She didn’t even offer to split it the money between the families.  She just wants it all for herself.  Let’s just go back to the city, Justin.  Please.”

“Abbey.”

“Justin, please.”

I let out a harsh sigh.  I know her mind is made up already and the more I sit here and protest the more upset she’s going to get.  “All right.  Just wait here and I’ll get the bags.”r32;


“I’m sorry,” she whimpers.  “I’m sorry I made you come out here for nothing.”

“Hey.”  I caress her cheek and push up on her chin so she’ll have to look at me again.  “It wasn’t for nothing.  We had our moments,” I smirk.

It gets her to smile, just a little.

I kiss her gently.  “Just wait here, okay?”

She nods.

“Here Abbey.”  Davey pulls off his seatbelt and goes to sit beside her as I get up.  “I colored this for you.”

She ruffles his hair and kisses the top of his head before slightly glancing back at me.  “I love it, Davey.”

Feeling reassured that the boys will be able to brighten her spirits, I quickly head back into the house to retrieve the rest of our belongings.  I completely ignore the fact that her entire family is settled together in the living room, watching the morning news, and make myself invisible as possible as I run upstairs to the bedrooms.  I don’t think about being organized as I cram all of our stuff into the various bags and suitcases.  Sure, Abbey will probably complain later, but I’ll take it in stride.

“She’s leaving again, isn’t she?”

I’m working on zipping the last suitcase shut when I hear Hannah’s voice.  She sounds nothing like she did yesterday when we met.  This time she sounds hollow, let down, like she’s being abandoned.  I don’t want to turn and face her.  I just want to get my girlfriend and brothers the hell away from these people.  At the same time though, she wasn’t all that horrible to me, and she’s just a kid.  I sigh and rise up from the ground.  “It’s just not working out,” I nod, placing my hands on my hips as I stand before her.

Hannah nods, before a couple of tears make their way down her face.  She plops down into the overstuffed beanbag chair against the wall and wipes her eyes a little.  “I miss her so much,” she croaks.  “She doesn’t even realize it.”

“She does,” I explain, my heart breaking for the kid.  I know I said I resented her...but I guess...she’s sort of trapped in the middle here.  Even if she had come to Abbey’s aid, her mother wouldn’t have taken anything that was said seriously.  “She loves you.  It’s just...I think certain people have put pressure on her one too many times about a subject that’s dead.  If you want, you can come visit us for Christmas.  I’ll even fly you out,” I offer with a smile.  “I know Abbey would want you to come.”

She shrugs.  “She’s never wanted me around before.”

“I’m sure that’s not true.  She was lost for a while,” I explain gently.  “Sometimes that happens to people.”

She nods a little bit, as if she agrees with me.  Then she looks at me long and hard.  It makes me uncomfortable, and I start to turn back to the bags scattered around the floor, hoping she’ll let me leave this time.

“Do you...do you really love her?”

I don’t even make it all the way back around when the question hits my ears, and I slowly turn back to her, awkwardly meeting her gaze again.  It’s weird.  I’ve never told anybody back home that I’m in love, but yet I’ve already told her mother that I am, and I barely know the woman.  “Yeah,” I whisper.  “I really do.”

Now Hannah knows it too.

“How do you know?”

I sigh.  I’m not going anywhere yet.  I eye the second bean bag chair in the corner of the room and pull it over to me, sitting down directly in front of Hannah.  “Because I lost someone too,” I tell her after a moment.  “And she’s the only one who has ever really understood that about me.”

“Who?”

“My parents,” I nod.  “There was a car accident.”

Her eyes grow wide.  “Oh wow...I...”

“It’s okay,” I say, silencing her before she starts to get me all emotional about it this morning.  “I’m dealing with it, you know? My brothers keep me going.  I’m the one that has to look out for them now, and Abbey, you know...she takes care of me.  I take care of her too.  She’s...really happy.  I think it’s been a long time since she’s been that way, right?”

“Yeah,” she admits.  “I didn’t really get it back then.  I was a lot younger...but...I get it now, and I want to see her happy.  I don’t care what my mom or the Sampsons think about her choices anymore.”

I smile a little bit and pull out my wallet, drawing out one of my business cards.  “Here,” I say as I hand it to her.  “The top number is my direct line at work, and the second number is my cell phone.  If things get really bad here of if you need something, just call me, okay?”

She holds it in her hands, so carefully, as if it will disintegrate if she’s not careful.  “Okay,” she whispers, sniffling a little bit before she gets up from the bean bag.  “Thanks, Justin.”

I wink at her.  “Stay out of trouble.”

“Me? I cause no trouble,” she giggles, that mischievous glint coming back into her eyes.

“Somehow I find that hard to believe,” I smirk.  “See you.”

“Bye.”

She leaves.  I’m glad I was able to talk to her, find out that she really is on Abbey’s side.  I’d like to have her out for Christmas, as I’m not especially big on the holiday and I know Abbey would probably like to spend it with a member of her family.

It’ll work out.  

I’ll make sure of it.

“You got everything?,” Abbey says, once I get back into the limo, leaving the driver to load our stuff into the trunk.

“Yeah.” I lean over and kiss her cheek gently.  “I checked and rechecked.”

“Thank you.”  She leans her head on my shoulder, and I don’t hesitate to lace my fingers through hers.  “Justin I...I don’t know what I would have done without you today.”

“I’m here for you,” I pull her hand up to my lips and kiss the top of it.  “I don’t want you to worry about it, okay?”

She nods a little as the driver closes the trunk, and soon he’s back in the drivers seat, taking us away from this place.  I pull out my cell phone and dial Cheryl, who is surprised to hear from me the day before Thanksgiving.  I can hear music and noise in the background, and have no doubt that she’s with family.  “Sorry to bother you,” I say sheepishly.

“Not at all sir, is everything okay?”

“Sort of.  I just need a flight back to JFK, asap.”

“Oh...yes, sir.  Is everyone okay?”

“We’re fine,” I chuckle, finding a little heartwarming that she’s so concerned.  I’ve never understood her attitude towards me.  Before my little personality change, I’d never been especially nice to her.  I can remember several times in the past that I threatened her job out of pure anger over something financial, yet she persevered.  “Austin had a little mishap, broke his arm, but other than that we’re all in one piece.”  I glance at Abbey, hoping that she’ll be chuckling a little herself.

But she’s just staring out the window, completely ignoring me.

“Those boys,” Cheryl chuckles.  “Well, I can get you on a private at four pm,”she offers.  “Or a commercial first class at noon.”

“Noon is good,” I say.  “Thanks Cheryl.”

I hang up and squeeze Abbey’s hand a little.  “She has us on a noon flight.”

“That’s good,” Abbey says, absentmindedly.  “Did they say anything to you before you left the house?”

“Well, I talked to your sister.”

“What’d she say,” Abbey mutters.  “Did she defend my mother to high heavens?”

“No...actually,” I say slowly.  “She...was upset that she wouldn’t be seeing you again.”

She runs a hand through her hair.  “So she hates me?”

“She gets it,” I reassure her.  “She knows you're a lot happier than you were, and she seems to like me a lot.  You just have to give it a chance, Ab.  I think your family might come around eventually.  I was thinking that maybe Hannah could come out for Christmas.”

She snorts out a laugh.  “Like my mother would ever let her do that.  Hannah is her little baby.”

“It’s not really up to her.”

“She’s a minor,” Abbey reminds me.  “It...it was nice thought, Justin.”  She pauses and kisses my cheek.  “But it won’t happen, so let’s move on from here, okay?”

I shrug.  I won’t press the issue, but I’m not backing down.  That kid needs to be with Abbey for the holidays, and one way or the other I’ll make sure it happens.  Maybe I should send her family that check without telling Abbey.  What harm would it do?  It could get her family on our side, and I know...it’s messed up to be paying off somebody’s family in order to get some peace in our lives, but it’s not like I haven’t done the same thing in the past with other people.  Kimberly is a prime example of that.

If it’s what I have to do to get Abbey’s family to respect her again, and prove to them that I love her, I’ll do it.  I feel like it’s what Braeden would have wanted whatever guy that wound up with Abbey to do...to help her heal, and bring her family close together again.

I’ll take care of it, Braeden, I think to myself.  I’ll take care of everything.

Thirty Three by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
It's really sad that I get this excited over a new chapter of this story. Enjoy!

I was a fool to think a family visit with my new boyfriend would go over well.

Maybe I was hoping that my parents emotions had settled down a little bit.  I guess I can’t say I was totally wrong to think that way.  My dad was cool about meeting Justin and the boys.  My sister started to warm up to them too.  But my mother and the Sampsons...they stared us down like we were vermin that needed to be exterminated immediately.  I thought Justin would have been angrier with them, given them an attitude right back.  Surprisingly, he was able to keep his cool, no matter how bad things got in the end.  I should have known he’d be able to do that though.  He’d dealt with Trace’s shitty attitude towards me for months.

As luck would have it, he’d finally managed to get rid of him, too.

It was something I was shocked to hear about.  Justin hadn’t mentioned him since he moved out, and I figured it meant their friendship was back on track, that their business ventures were back to normal, and I found myself resenting him a little bit less when we returned home from Colorado.  Things had gone so badly with my family, I think I would have done anything to get a little bit of comfort back into our lives, though.  Inviting Trace and his daughter to have Thanksgiving with us seemed like the perfect cure to the empty feeling I had inside, but when I mentioned it to Justin, I realized I’d thought too soon.

“Hey.”  I turned to look over my shoulder from my place on the sofa.  It was Thanksgiving morning and Justin and the boys had been up before sunrise, figuring out how to cook a turkey and three to four side dishes for us.  I tried to reason with him, tell him I could figure it out, but he seemed so determined to give me a special holiday.  My family situation had done something to him.  Something I couldn’t quite put my finger on.  I had never seen him so emotional...so determined to let me know that he would be my whole family if he had to be.

It made me love him that much more.

“I told you, you’re not helping,” Justin said in a sing song voice, as he kept his gaze focused on the recipe book in front of him.  He had the boys hard at work to his left, breaking up bread crumbs for the stuffing.  “Come on guys,” he motioned to them.  “You can do it faster than that.”

“Davey’s slow,” Austin grunted.  “It’s not me.  I did half a loaf already!”

“Shut up, Austin!” Davey yelled back.  “I’m just as fast as you!”

Justin and I glanced at each other for a moment, laughing because it was so unlike Davey to speak out like that.  Ever since ski camp he’d been a little bit bolder.  I think getting him away from us and into a group of other kids helped him start to remember the person he used to be before the accident. 

“I was just saying,” I laughed.  “Maybe Trace and Kristy can join us tonight.”

Justin’s laughter subsided and he cleared his throat a little.  “I um...I hadn’t planned on that.”

I sat up a little.  “Well, why?”

He shrugged.  “He’s...he quit, that’s all.  We haven’t spoken.”

“What?”  I scoffed.  “Quit? Justin...”

“It’s not a big deal,” he muttered, as he began to coat the top of the turkey with the dressing he’d mixed together moments before.  “It wasn’t working out, that’s all.”

“After all that?”  I said, the disbelief in my voice obvious.  I couldn’t deny that I was angry.  After everything we’d both done to get him out of jail, he just up and quit on Justin like it was nothing.  “After everything we did?”

“It’s better this way,” he said, bluntly.  “I really don’t want to talk about it, all right?  Let’s just try to relax and enjoy the holiday.”

I wasn’t angry at Justin for keeping his feelings to himself.  I think I was angrier at Trace for giving up on his friend like that, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew it wasn’t my place to try to patch things up.  I had enough issues, and Justin was trying to focus on himself, not on work. Pressuring him about Trace, I knew, was only going to frustrate him, and ruin our chance of enjoying what was left of the Thanksgiving holiday.  “Okay.”  It was all I said before I turned my attention back to the parade flashing across the television screen, doing the best I could to drown out the memory of my first family visit in four years.

I wasn’t shocked by the Sampson’s reaction to Justin.  From the start, I guess I knew Barbara would have a hard time with it.  She’s always been difficult, more so when she was going through her chemo and Braeden decided to enlist.  For some reason she always seemed to put that blame on me.  Like I should have done more or said more to make him change his mind.  I wouldn’t have though.  I always wished she could have understood that.  That I would have stood behind Braeden no matter what he chose to do with his life.  When he disappeared, and I left for New York, I guess she thought I was going to spend the rest of my life alone.  The fact that I brought a guy home after four years of being gone shocked her.  She acted like I was a criminal, like I had no right to “replace” her son with anybody.

But fuck, she’s the one who agreed to proclaim him dead in the first place.

Needless to say, I’m glad I didn’t have a chance to be alone with her.

I did, however, have a chance to be alone with my mother.  My mother who I thought would have simply been happy to see me, to see my life a little bit more put together.  She wasn’t though.  She just couldn’t understand why Justin would want to be with me.  She acted as if he had some kind of motive, that he was using me for something.  I tried to explain our relationship, to tell her that we were in love and I was happy for the first time since Braeden passed away, but she wouldn’t listen...

She just refused.  She didn’t care that I was happy.  All she seemed to care about was Braeden’s money in the bank, and that the Sampson’s wanted it.  It killed me inside.  It seemed like she didn’t care that he was dead or what the money really represented.  I didn’t hold back...I told her exactly how I felt about it...

And when she slapped me in response, I knew I had enough. 

It pained me to leave my father and sister behind like that.  Out of everyone, I was looking most forward to spending time with them.  They accepted Justin for the most part, were more curious about him than anything, and Justin was making a valiant effort to get on their good sides.  I didn’t want to leave, but I just...I couldn’t handle being there after my mom freaked out on me.  I was sure things would get worse, and I didn’t want to put the boys or Justin in the middle of a family quarrel.

So Justin flew us home, no questions asked. 

He and the boys slaved all day over our Thanksgiving feast.  I stayed out of the kitchen, as he requested.  It was the only thing he made me promise to do for him that day.  He was determined to prepare the meal himself, despite his lack of culinary skill, and made sure to get the boys involved too.  It was the first time he’d teamed up with his two siblings to work on anything, and it showed.  They bickered constantly.  Austin threw food at Davey, and Davey threw it back.  Justin lost his patience more times than I’d like to admit, yelled and swore when things went wrong.  Pots banged together, water spilled on the floor, flour coated most of the surfaces in the kitchen.  It was pure chaos.  Very un-Justinlike...and also the cutest thing I’d ever seen.

I was glad they were bonding, even if Justin’s patience wore thin and the boys were rowdy.  They needed to be like that...like a family, and I just knew the more Justin was able to do things like that with his brothers, the more they would look up to him.  I think that’s what I want the most for the boys, to have more of a need for Justin than they do for me.  I’m not saying I won’t be around.  I plan to be...

But I know from experience that you have to prepare yourself for the worst case scenario.

I was led into the dining room later that afternoon, with Justin’s hands over my eyes.  I was laughing.  It was a little bit ridiculous, but I knew it was more for the boys than anything else.

“Okay, show ‘er! Show ‘er, Justin!” 

I laughed when I heard Austin’s excited voice, and then Justin lifted his hands away from my eyes.  I was a little speechless when I saw the table.  Lucinda had taken a few days off to visit with family, so I knew there was no way she could have decorated the table before hand.  It was immaculate, right down to the placement of the flatware and wine glasses.  There were candlesticks set in crystal holders, and a beautiful cornucopia arrangement sat in the center of the table.  The boys had done it.  All three of them, together.  I was so proud.  “When did you did this?” I smiled, as Justin pulled my seat out for me. 

“I looked it up on that Martha Stewart better homes website, and called in a few supply favors,” Justin chuckled as he helped me slide up to the table.  “I think it looks like the picture.”

“I think it’s beautiful.  Boys, you did a wonderful job in here.”

“I put the napkins in the rings, Abbey,” Davey told me proudly as he took his seat, and picked one up off his china plate.  “See?”

I felt Justin rubbing my shoulders as I smiled at my little guy, and I looked up at my boyfriend.  “You didn’t have to do all this,” I laughed.  “Really...”

He leaned down and kissed me gently on the lips.  “Happy Thanksgiving, Ab.”

Justin and the boys brought out all the food, and then came the test.  Justin carved, passed me a plate, and they watched me intently as I picked up my fork and stabbed a piece of my turkey with it.  I felt like they were holding their breaths, and I was praying the food had turned out okay.  I bit.  I chewed. I swallowed.

“Well?” Justin said anxiously.

I smiled.  “It’s perfect.”

“Yahoo!” Austin threw his napkin up in the air, prompting his younger brother to do the same.

Justin didn’t seem to care about their antics.  I noticed that he’d sunk a little lower in his chair, seemingly relieved that I liked the food and that his efforts hadn’t been for nothing. 

It was the best Thanksgiving I’d had in six long years.

“So you really liked it?”

It was late.  The boys had gone to bed hours ago, and Justin and I had washed the dishes together while some soft music played in the background.  We hadn’t spoke, just smiled at one another as I washed and he dried while we swayed to the mellow classical music wafting into the kitchen.  Then, once the dishes were put back in their place, he’d taken me by the hand and up to what was now our bedroom.  We made love gently, more than once, before lying in each others arms and staring up at the vaulted ceiling. 

“I did,” I smirked and kissed him on the mouth.  “It made up for everything else.”

He turned a little and smoothed his hand over my cheek.  “I love you.”

“Yeah,” I smiled back at him tiredly.  “I love you too.”

It was to be the last peaceful moment Justin and I would share for several weeks. That weekend we took the boys into the heart of the city to see all the Christmas decorations.  I think Justin got a little bit winded, running here and there, stopping and staring, jostling through crowds of tourists.  It wasn’t something he was used to.  I knew he would have preferred Quincy driving us around and pointing out all the sites to the boys, but they wouldn’t have gotten the full experience, and it was their first Christmas in the city.  Justin sacrificed his stamina for us, and I could tell how run down he was when Monday rolled around.  He drank three Muscle Milks that morning before kissing me and telling me to have a good day.

Things have been pretty much non stop since then.  Justin has been swamped at work.  Something about fourth quarter goals and the retail trade.  I don’t get involved with it, I just know that we don’t get to sit down together for dinner nearly as much as I would like.  On the bright side, Davey has started school, and is adjusting well to the routine.  He leaves happy and comes home happy, which is all I can really ask for.  The empty house also gives me an opportunity to catch up on little things that I never got the chance to do with Davey in the house.  I’ve changed all the window treatments in the house, redecorated a couple of bedrooms and bathrooms, and bought both the boys new wardrobes for the winter.  I even started to talk to Lucinda about her cooking, and tried to plan out the meals for the week with her.  I wanted to get Justin and the boys to eat healthier, because I’ve learned about the different things that go into Lucinda’s meals, and from what my friends have told me, some of those things can cause long term acid reflux disease.  I started to have Lucinda work out of cookbooks.  She hated it, I think, although she would never point it out to me.  I could tell though, just by the way she glared and muttered to herself while she was reading the recipes.  I knew my secret was officially out, when Justin asked me if Lucinda was doing okay one night last week.  Of course I told him she was fine.  He laughed though, and I knew he didn’t believe me.

“I never saw her use a cookbook before,” he scoffed as he removed his necktie, shirt, and undershirt, flinging them all onto our bed.  “What’s with that?”

I shrugged a little bit. “I just thought we could use a change.  Some of that stuff she makes isn’t exactly the healthiest.”

“C’mon,” he smirked and pulled me close to him.  “When did you become a health freak?  Are those women you spend all your time with warping your brain?”

“No...I...”

“Ab,” he said gently, continuing to laugh as he cupped my chin in his hand.  “Look, Lucinda is great.  She’s been cooking for me for years, and I haven’t gotten salmonella yet.  I thought you liked her food.”

“I just want you to be at your best, that’s all,” I explained.  “You work hard.”

“You’re cute.”  He kissed me as he smiled.  “Don’t worry about me so much, though.  Just let Lucinda do her thing, all right?  It’s what I hired her for.  Her pride gets hurt when you shove recipes in her face.  She feels like you hate her cooking.”

It wasn’t that at all, and I rolled my eyes.  “But, Justin...”

“Don’t get defensive,” he snickered and put his forehead against mine.  “Just...let it go, okay? It’s not a big deal.”

I sighed heavily and stared back into his eyes.  It started to hit me that I was being a little bit ridiculous.  I knew how great of a cook Lucinda was, and she’d never been anything but nice to me since the day I walked in Justin’s house.  I was being influenced by the affluent idiots I associated with, again.  I hated that.  I hated that I let myself become so immersed in their self centered ways of thinking.  I needed to be a little bit more grounded...to come back to earth.

I needed Charlene.

But we weren’t exactly on speaking terms.

“I’m sorry,” I huffed.

“Don’t be.” He kissed me again and pulled me closer to him.  “I know you’re just trying to help.”

I let Lucinda go back to her normal routine after that.  She hasn’t given me a dirty look since.

Austin was selected to take part in Dalton’s winter musical.  I was a little surprised, so was Justin, but upon speaking with Ms. Parks about it, I could tell she had her reasons.  She kept telling me that Austin was a ‘bright child’ who needed some extra ‘stimulation,’ and a play was the best thing for him.  At first I didn’t think much of it.  I thought it would be cute.  Something that us gals could get together and design costumes for, but then she dropped another bomb on me.

“Austin has been selected to play Peter Pan,” she smiled.  “That’s the lead.”

I thought I was going to faint.  I loved Austin.  He was great and getting better all the time, but I didn’t have that much faith that he’d be able to learn a whole script in time to perform it in front of an audience.  “Ms...Ms Parks,” I began slowly.  “Are you sure about this? I mean...he’s...”

She smiled at me softly and gave my hand a little rub.  “Abbey, he wants to do this.  He told me so.”

“Austin?” I scoffed.

She nodded.  “Is that so hard to believe?”

It wasn’t.  My Austin was a little character.  He loved to dress up and play fantasy games with his brother.  It was only logical that he would do well on stage.  I felt bad for doubting him.  “No, I guess it’s not...as long as his broken arm won’t be an issue.”

“We’ll just give him sleeves,” she smiled.  “I hope you’re up to the challenge, Abbey.  He’s going to have a lot of lines to memorize, and needs as much support from his guardians as possible.”

“I’m on it,” I nodded. 

“Good to hear.”

She smiled at me, as if she knew what a hardship it was on me, and walked back into the building.  Part of me wondered if she was doing it to punish me.  She never really liked me, I knew that from day one, and she only tolerated Justin because of some donation he’d made to the school.  In all honesty, I felt she was expecting Austin to fail.  The thing about that was, I wouldn’t allow it.  Austin would succeed.  He would make us all proud.

“Abbey.”

I crouch down and pull the bottom of his outfit straight, before reaching up to ensure his hat is clipped down securely to his head.  “Yeah?”

“What if I forget my lines,” he whispers.

“You won’t.”

“Abbey!”

I look back over my shoulder, and see Jodi, one of the other mothers, standing there with a box of costumes in her arms.  “Cara has the rest, down the hallway!” I point in the direction I mean.

She nods and rushes off.

For whatever reason, I became the hub of communication for this whole production.  I helped design the set, spent countless nights here helping to paint, sew, and put together various things.  I even had Davey here a few nights, helping to put glitter glue on the backdrops with some of the other parents.  Justin was home then, but busy with work he brought from the office with him, so I would bring Davey along with me to play rehearsal.  I haven’t minded that...Justin working overtime.  I know it’s been a crazy couple of months, and he wants to get all of his work taken care of before the rest of the  holidays hit.  Apparently he gets a couple of weeks off once that happens.  He keeps talking about it, how he can’t wait to spend all that time with me and the boys.

It’ll be a relief for the both of us, and God willing, there won’t be any broken bones this time around.

“But what if I do?” Austin whimpers.  “What if I forget, Abbey?”

“If you keep thinking that way, you will,” I huff, and put my hands on his shoulders. “Come on, we’ve been practicing every night.  You know this, Aus.  I know you do.”

He nods, but looks down at the floor.  I know what the real problem is.  It’s the same thing I’ve been worried about all week, and I know that if it does happen, I can’t be mad.  I promised I wouldn’t be.  That I wouldn’t hold it against him.

But it’s just...so important that Justin makes it to this.

“This week?” Justin put a hand to his forehead when I reminded him about this at the beginning of the week.  “Ab, I’m...you know I want to go...”r32;


“This means a lot to him,” I said gently.  “He’s worked so hard.”

“Yeah,” he grunted, and picked up  the pad full of notes that he’d been gazing at before I walked into his study.  “But I have to meet with some international clients that day.  They won’t be in til the afternoon, and we have a dinner meeting planned.  I just...I don’t know if I can make it, Ab.  This is a big deal for the firm, and I’m expected to be there.”

It had taken me time to learn how to cope with Justin’s hectic schedule.  He’d toned down his cell phone usage for us, cut out a huge business deal with Donald Trump, that I’m sure he’s still kicking himself for to this day.  It should have been enough for me to shut my mouth and let him do his thing.  I mean, it basically was.  I didn’t pressure him about work anymore.  I had my own things to do and my own gaggle of women surrounding me that knew what it was like to have their spouses out of the picture half of the time.  “Try then,” I said quietly.  “Okay?”

“I can’t,” he said, his voice full of regret.  “I’m sorry.  I...I probably won’t be going.  I’d rather just tell you the truth, you know?”

I just nodded, and left him to finish his work.  He didn’t come to bed til after one in the morning.  I couldn’t deny that he was overwhelmed with work, and part of me felt a little selfish for pressuring him about Austin’s play.

I didn’t mention it again.

“I know you wanted Justin to be here,” I say to Austin gently.  “But sometimes he has to work.  I know you understand, right?”

It takes him a long time, but he finally nods.

“I love you.” I smile at him and kiss his cheek gently.  “And I know you’re going to go out there and do a great job.”

“Austin, five minutes!”

I look back.  It’s Jodi again.  I nod at her quickly before looking back at Austin.  “I’m going to get a seat,” I say quickly.  “Just remember everything we’ve been practicing.”

“I will,” he says nervously.

I hug him quick, and then, I head out.

Please, I silently pray.  Please let him do well. 

I find Davey sitting with one of the other mothers in the audience, and get a seat next to them just as the lights begin to dim.  She smiles at me, and I smile back as I take Davey onto my lap, glancing around quickly to see if I can spot Justin. 

He’s not here.

I try not to let the sinking feeling take over me, try not to be disappointed.  I know he said he couldn’t come.  I know that.  But I just...I guess I was just hoping he would have been able to get here at the last minute.

I guess showing him the video will have to be good enough.

The Darling children fight with their parents, and are snug in their beds soon enough. I hold my breath in anticipation as Austin is cued on stage.  He comes out on time, thankfully, holding the glowing ‘tink’ bottle in his hands.  I smile.  He really is too cute.

“Tink...” He trails off and taps the bottle with his finger.  “Tink, come out of there!  Oh Tink, do you know where they put my shadow?”

The audience laughs.  It’s a sign that he’s going to be okay, even though his brother isn’t here to support him.  I ease up a little bit, sit back in my seat and let Davey lean back against my chest as the show continues.  Austin is brilliant, vibrant, nails every line, and every song, keeping the small audience entranced in his character.  He’s a little perfectionist, I realize, just like his brother.

Justin would be proud.

He never shows up, though, and I realize it’s just one of many things he’s going to miss out on because of his career.  It’s unfortunate, but we’ve made compromises, and I know that Justin didn’t miss this because he wanted to. 

I have to keep telling myself that.

The kids take their final bows, and Austin gets a standing ovation.  The audience hoots and hollers, wants more of him.  He comes back out for one final bow before he’s finally able to exit the stage, and I’m waiting for him several minutes later by the stage door.  He’s not vibrant Austin anymore though.  No, he’s seemed to melt right back into the kid that I’ve come to know so well.  He walks towards me slowly, itching the skin underneath his cast, his expression grim.

He already knows Justin didn’t make it.

“Austin you did great!” I say, trying to sound enthusiastic when he reaches us.  “I told you that you wouldn’t mess up!”

I ruffle his hair.

“Can we go now?” He says, as he gently pushes my hand away.

I sigh.  “Sure buddy.”

I take both boys by the hand, and we start to walk out of the school together.  It’s bad.  I know that Austin is very disappointed, despite my warnings to him.  He was holding out for Justin.  He was clinging to the hope that he would magically show up in the second act.  I hate that he’s so disappointed, but there’s nothing I can do except stick by him, and get him through it. 

“You want to get something to eat, Aus?” I offer, as I push the door open for the boys.

“No.”

I just nod, and when we get outside, I start to look around for a taxi briefly before I feel somebody tapping me on the shoulder.  When I whirl around, I’m surprised to find Justin standing in front of me, looking like he just jumped through hurdles to get here.  His tie and jacket are messy, and he’s breathing harshly, like he’s been running. 

“Hey,” I laugh. 

“Did I miss it?” He asks me, breathlessly.

I feel horrible.  I can’t even answer him, so I just nod.

“Damn it,” he sighs, and runs a hair through his hair.  “Austin,” he crouches down to meet his brother’s eye line.  “Buddy, I’m sorry.”

“You’re not sorry,” Austin mutters.

“I tried,” Justin tells him.  “I had a meeting.  I’ll just...I’ll have to watch the video.”

“I don’t even care!” Austin yells at him.  “I don’t care if you ever see it!”

He storms away from us in tears, and I almost call out to him, before I see Quincy standing there by the Escalade’s open door.  Austin gets in, and I know he’s done with us for the night.

I can’t say I blame him.

“That went well,” Justin sighs harshly.

“It wasn’t your fault,” I say to him gently.

He lets out a long sigh before scratching the top of Davey’s head and giving me a light kiss.  “How’d it go?” He asks, as we begin to walk over to the Escalade.

“He was pretty incredible, J,” I smirk.  “A natural.”

“Singing and everything?”

“Oh yeah,” I nod.

“Make sure you get me the video,” he tells me quietly.

I smirk a little bit.  “I will, and I doubt Austin will stay mad at you forever over this.”

He laughs heartily.  “You don’t know him at all, do you?”

We get into the car, and soon enough, we’re on our way back to the house.  It’s silent for a while.  Davey is leaning on my shoulder, falling asleep. Austin is staring out the window, and Justin is staring at Austin, like he’s trying to figure out what he can say to make him feel a little better.  I’d tell him to leave well enough alone, but Justin is too proud to sit around and take the silent treatment from his brother.

“So tell me about it, Aus,” Justin speaks up finally.  “How’d you do?”

Austin, naturally, completely ignores him. 

“You know,” Justin continues.  “I did make an effort to come see you.  Sometimes work gets in the way.”

Austin just shrugs.  “I don’t care.”

“Ungrateful little asshole,” Justin mutters.  “I miss one thing and...”

“You only came to two of my soccer games!” He yells.  “Two! Abbey came to all of them!   I practiced and practiced to get this right! But I’m always second best when it comes to you!  You always put Davey first!”

“You’re ridiculous!” Justin yells back.  “You know I would have come to more of your games if I could have, and I didn’t miss the stupid play on purpose!”

“It’s not stupid, and you didn’t even try!”

“Enough!” 

I yell it at both of them, and they immediately stop arguing and stare at me, dumbfounded.  “That’s enough,” I say gently.  “What’s done is done.  Justin missed what he missed and that can’t be helped Austin.  There will be other plays.”

Austin crosses his arms harshly across his chest.  “I don’t want you at any of them,” he snaps at Justin before looking out the window again.

Justin laughs sadly and shakes his head.

The rest of our trip is silent.  When we arrive at Justin’s building, Austin runs out of the car and doesn’t wait for us to join him before disappearing inside.  Davey is fast asleep at this point, so Quincy lifts him off my lap so I can get out of the car, and Justin quickly takes him once we are all out of the car, before bidding Quincy a good night.  Justin and I take the elevator up without Austin, barely looking at each other.  He knows I don’t really appreciate the fact that he swore at his brother, but at the same time I know part of him couldn’t help it.  I mean, Justin has really been trying.  I think Austin is too young to realize just how much.

I know I’ll have to sit him down at some point and try to explain all of this to him in a way he can understand.

We get Davey into bed, and kiss him goodnight, both breathing a sigh of relief when we are finally alone together in the hallway.  The sound of Austin’s TV is blaring from his bedroom, video games I’m sure, but I don’t care if he’s up late.  It’s a Friday, and he needs to let off some steam.

“I lost my temper,” Justin says to me quietly, as we walk down the hallway and out into the great room.  “I just...I couldn’t help it.”

“I expect better from you, but I’m assuming you didn’t have the best day,” I smirk.

He plops down on the couch and lets out a long breath, before loosening his tie.  “How’d you guess?”

“That look of absolute torture on your face kind of tipped me off.”

“I’ve been speaking Mandarin since noon,” he laughs.  “Out of everybody on my executive panel, I’m the only one who speaks it too.  So while my partners were sitting there, filling up on the great wine and food, I was stuck talking about economics with three fat Asian dudes who think America is a big joke to begin with.”

I sit down next to him, laughing as he pulls me in for a long, much needed kiss on the lips.  “Well,” I whisper after we break apart.  “Did you get any results from your Mandarin excursion?”

His face lights up a little bit.  “Well, they told me they’d love to have me as an honorary guest some day soon.  In Asia, I’m told, that’s a big thing.  Dennis says that I’m the man now, or something.  So I guess we’ll be getting a lot more business from them.”

“See?” I stroke his face a little bit.  “That Rosetta Stone really did pay off.”

“That, and my charm,” he laughs.

“Don’t get cocky.” I punch him lightly in the shoulder.  “You’re not allowed to have an ego bigger than Austin’s.”

“That kid will be the death of me,” he nods.  “I’m like...a hundred percent sure.”

“Maybe you need to do something special for him,” I suggest.  “Something without Davey.”

He rolls his eyes.

I think Justin’s whole mindset is, that Austin is too old for ‘special trips’.  He’s twelve.  That, in my opinion, is still just a baby, but I’d never admit that.  I have a big soft spot for both of those boys, and I know it’s why I consider him that.  Justin views his brother as a little man.  Somebody that need to be obedient and mature, while Davey can be a baby as much as he wants to be.  “Justin...”

“I can handle him,” he reassures me.  “He’s being a brat.  I’ll fix it.”

“He’s not a brat,” I whisper.

Justin sweeps me up in a kiss, silencing my protesting, and I hate it, but I let myself melt away into the magic of him.

“I want to get away from the kids for a little while,” he tells me as we kiss. 

“What do you mean?”

“I mean...”  He pulls back and smiles brightly for a moment.  “Just us.”

The idea is completely insane.  There are two kids here that depend on us for everything, me more so than Justin.  I can’t leave them.  I hate to think of what would happen if we left Austin and Davey in Lucinda’s care for a week.  They’d probably take over, pelt her with food until she ran out of here screaming...

I shudder at the thought.  “Justin, we can’t leave them.”

“My associate, Dennis, offered to take them for a week.”

I’ve met that guy Dennis before.  He stopped by the house about a week ago to drop something off for Justin.  He seemed nice enough.  He’s young, maybe a year or two older than Justin.  I didn’t have a reason to think he couldn’t be trusted then, and I still don’t.  To top that off, I know Justin would never place the boys in the care of an irresponsible person.  “Dennis?”r32;


“Yeah, he’s married.  They have a couple of kids and a house out on Long Island with a lot of property.  The boys would have fun for a week.”

I shake my head a little bit.  “Justin, we can’t just...leave them.  It’s not fair.”r32;

“Not fair to who?” He laughs.  “You haven’t even asked me where I want to take you yet.  Look, we’ll spend Christmas eve and Christmas day with the boys.  Then...you know, we can hop on a plane and have some fun, while they get to play with some kids for a week.  We’ll be back before they have a chance to miss us.  What’s the big deal?”

I shrug.  My parents never left us alone to take a trip.  Whatever we did, we always did it together, even when Hannah and I had both reached our teen years.  I don’t feel right going away without the boys.  I think it might be...selfish, or something.  “Isn’t it a trip that the boys can enjoy too?”

He huffs and narrows his eyes at me, not being able to suppress his smile.  “You’re way too motherly.”

“It’s not my fault,” I say, sarcastically.  “You knew how i was when you hired me.”

“Come on.”  He pulls me closer to him and smiles, his eyes pleading with me to give into him.  “I wanna take you away.”

“We just went somewhere,” I laugh.

“Paris,” he says, obviously disappointed that he had to tell me this way.  “I want to take you to Paris, and...I mean, Davey’s still a little young and Austin has the attention span of a puppy.  It’s not that I don’t want to bring them, I just know that they won’t be able to appreciate it, that’s all.  They’ll have more fun here, playing with some kids.”

A trip to Paris alone with Justin sounds amazing.  I know we’d get do things that would be otherwise impossible to do with the boys with us, and I think I’d get to see that side of Justin that I haven’t been able to in awhile.  The cultured one, the one that teaches me things and likes to have a good time. It’s been a while since he’s been able to act that way.  Sure, we went to Colorado and had an okay time when we were alone and not surrounded by my family, but the trip was more about enjoyment for the boys than it was about us.

“You gotta think about yourself sometimes, Ab,” Justin reminds me.  “I know you love the boys.  Anybody can see that, and they know you love them too.  I really want us to spend a week away alone.  After the break, I don’t know when we’ll be able to do it again.  The boys will have every opportunity to spend time with us.”

His expression is pleading with me to give in.  I bite my lip, scolding myself because I’m almost to the point that I want to say yes.  The smallest part of me is still afraid though.  Afraid of how Austin will react or if Davey will be scared without me for a week.

“How about this,” Justin persists when I still don’t answer.  “We’ll go, and if you aren’t happy by the second day in, or if the boys call and pester you about how lonely they are without you, I’ll fly us back.”

I narrow my eyes at him.  “You don't think the boys will call and do that?” I scoff.

He shrugs.  “I’m willing to bet they’ll be distracted enough not to.”

I sigh.  “And how do you know I won’t be completely miserable with you by day two?”

He laughs and pulls me closer to him again.  “You’re not miserable now are you?”

“You’re so manipulative, Timberlake.”

He kisses me hard.  “You know, I was gonna wait til Christmas,” he sighs, and pulls something out of his pocket.  “But I guess I need to seal the deal with you now.”

My heart stops.

Is he...

He opens the little box and smiles softly.  “Don’t you dare say I’m cheesy.”

I take it from him, and study the silver ring inside.  I slowly begin to realize that Justin had no intention on proposing, and I start to breath a little bit easier.  Still, if he isn’t proposing then what is he doing?  Curious, I take the ring out of the box, and study it for a moment, before spotting some script engraved on inside of the band.

You have my heart.  Love, Justin.

I look at him, trying not to cry.  It’s so unlike anything I would expect him to do.  He’s got such a tough exterior most of the time.  This is one of the few times he’s ever been so damn sentimental about our relationship, and it’s made me melt into a puddle of mush.  He’s got me now.  I couldn’t turn him down for this trip now even if I wanted to.  “You’re cheesy.”

He laughs and pulls on my hand so he can slip it on my finger.  “You love it.”r32;

I lean against his chest, closing my eyes as I take the moment in.  A promise ring.  A promise ring on my finger from Justin, who, just months ago, didn’t seem to have one ounce of warmth flowing through his veins.  “What made you do it?”

I feel him kiss me.  “Because it’s true.  You have my heart.  I want everybody to know it.”

I turn my head slightly and open my eyes, to see him smiling down at me.  “I guess I can’t say no now.”

He shakes his head.  “Nope.  I win.”

“Not so fast.”  I slowly stand up and pull him to his feet.  “You haven’t won yet.  You have to past a few tests first.”

He laughs a little.  “Are you trying to seduce me?  It’s almost Jesus’ birthday.  I don’t think he’d approve.”

“Ass,” I smirk and kiss him, pulling him off to the bedroom with me soon enough, all the while knowing he has my heart too.

I think he always has.
Thirty Four by ialwayzbesingin
I had Cheryl send a ticket for Hannah to fly out for Christmas, and a check made out to the Sampson family for twenty five thousand dollars the week after we returned from Colorado

One week later I got both back, with a short but firm letter from Abbey’s mother telling me to ‘stay out’ of their business.

Normally my ego would have gotten in the way, and I would have made every attempt to contact her and give her a piece of my mind.  But, this was different.  This was Abbey’s family, and as much as I wanted to make things right between them, I knew if I interfered more I could have done more damage to the relationship.  So I let it go.  I keep wondering if it was the right choice.  I keep thinking that maybe, just maybe, if I give another push and show her I’m not going anywhere, she’ll give in.

But I also would run the risk of pissing Abbey off.

Pissing her off at this junction of course, would be a complete waste.

A waste because...I’ve given her a part of me that nobody else has ever had before.

I’ve given her my whole heart, without a regret. It took me weeks of debating to decide whether or not I was ready to give her that symbol of myself.  I knew once I did it there was no going back.  I would be stuck in a serious relationship.  One that could eventually lead up to that wonderful subject of marriage that I was oh so terrified of. Was I ready?  I didn’t know.  I’d never had such a bond with anybody before.  I sat in my office and thought about it for hours on end, despite the fact that I had about a million other things on my to do list. I almost stopped myself from going to Tiffany’s that day, took the elevator up and down to my office five different times, before I finally gave in and went.  The sales lady was surprisingly helpful.  My fear was that they were going to try and talk me into some diamond engagement ring that I wasn’t ready to buy, but when I said I wanted a subtle promise ring, she walked me right over to their selection of platinum bands and asked me what size and what I wanted it to say.

That decision, of course, was tougher than the one I made to leave my office.

I didn’t want to go too Barry Manilow on her.  Abbey isn’t a sappy girl.  Sure, she’s an emotional, thoughtful person, but she’s not over the top.  That’s a good thing, because it’s like pulling teeth to get me to be the least bit sentimental.  The sales lady told me to go with my gut, to say how I felt.  I thought for a moment, and then...it seemed to hit me like a ton of bricks.

I’d given Abbey my heart.

So I decided to put that on the ring.

They had it sized and engraved within an hour.  Normally, I’m sure something like that takes a few days, but since I am who I am, they dropped everything to make sure I had it in my hands before I walked out the door.  When I got back to my office all I could seem to do was clutch it in my hand as I paced back and forth across the room.  I had the ring, yeah, but how the hell was I supposed to give it to Abbey? I wasn’t...romantic.  I could be seductive, and playful, but I wasn’t one of those guys who got down on his knees and proclaimed his undying love to a woman.  I just...I couldn’t do it.

“Hey...Justin...are you feeling okay?”

I looked towards the doorway, and found that Dennis was standing there with a few portfolios in his hands.  I realized I was supposed to be meeting with him right then, in regards to the promotion I fully intended on giving him.  I felt like a moron, as I never showed my true colors to any of my other staff members.  Trace had been the only one, and he was long gone.  “Oh...”  I shoved the ring in my pocket.  “Yeah, Dennis, sorry.”

He smiled a little as he entered my office and pulled the door closed behind him.  “Something on your mind?”

I didn’t want to tell him, or seem obvious, but the wedding ring on his finger stuck out to me like an eyesore.  Dennis was married.  He knew how to...talk to a woman.  “Dennis,” I found myself blurting out, and immediately felt inferior to him.  That was bad, since I was his boss and all.

“Yeah?”

I stared at him for a moment, feeling my mouth go dry as I licked my lips.  “Can I...do you think I could ask you a personal question?”  

He laughed, a little nervously. “Sure, I guess.”

“How did you...I mean, when you asked your wife to marry you...”

“Dude, you’re getting married?”

“No!” I said, a little bit to loudly.  “No, not married.”  I rubbed the back of my neck, feeling the sweat coming off it like I’d just taken a long shower.  “I just...I got my girlfriend a little gift, and I’m not the most sentimental person...and it’s a sentimental gift, you know?”

He nodded slightly.  “I...I think so.”

With a harsh sigh, I gave in and pulled the small box out of my pocket.  I felt like I was crossing the line with him.  One that I didn’t like my employees to see.  But I figured if he was going to take Trace’s place, I needed to learn to trust him with more than just my stock trading secrets.  “It’s one of those promise rings.”  I opened the box and showed him quickly.  “But I have no idea what you’re supposed to do.”

He laughed.  He laughed so hard, like it was the funniest thing he’d ever seen.  I felt myself growing a little agitated.  I hated to think that I made a fool out of myself.  “What’s funny?” I grumbled.

“It’s just amazing to me that you have a real personality.  You hide it so well.”

Dennis never held back.  I can’t lie.  It’s the reason I like him so much.

“Thanks,” I muttered.

“Look, this is what you do.”  He slowly approached me and patted me on the shoulder in a reassuring way that a friend would.  “You get her alone without the kids, talk to her a little bit.  Maybe...tell her how she really makes you feel.”

“I suck at that,” I admitted.  “Can’t I just give it to her?”

“Well you could,” he told me.  “But it probably won’t mean as much.”

I nodded.  “So I just...I just tell her how I feel?”

“Yeah, something like that,” he laughed and patted me on the back slightly.  “Or if talking isn’t your thing, maybe you can take her somewhere.”

“I have the kids,” I muttered.  “I mean, they’re cool.  They’re my brothers, but...it’s hard to even get a moment to ourselves, let alone a vacation.”
He paused and seemed to think long and hard about something.  “Well, Trish and I don’t have plans this break.  The kids are going to be around, so why don’t you send the boys to stay with us?”

I was slightly baffled by his offer.  “Are you kidding? Won’t your wife get pissed? I mean, two kids is enough...and my brothers can be wild.”

“It’s no sweat,” he reassured me.  “Just take your lady away for a week.”

Part of me knew he was doing it to secure his promotion, and normally, I hated that type of ass kissing, but this time it was different.  I knew that I needed to be alone with Abbey for a few days.  We needed to secure our relationship in that way, and since I sucked at words, I could do it with a trip.  “You can move your shit into Trace’s old office after Christmas break,” I nodded.  “Congratulations.”

His eyes widened.  “Mr. Timberlake...”

“Dennis,” I said, cutting him off.  “Dont start with the Timberlake crap, okay?”

He smiled and laughed nervously.  “Sorry.  Didn’t you want to see my portfolios? I prepared everything...”

“I’m sure everything is fine,” I nodded, being the one to pat him on the shoulder this time.  “Thanks, Dennis.  I owe you one.”

I shuffled him out of my office, and sort of stood there for a moment, relishing the silence, more thankful than ever that I sort of had a solution to my love dilemma.  The only thing left to do, was convince Abbey that leaving my brothers for a week wasn’t going to be a problem.  I really wanted to give her the ring on Christmas day.  I thought it would be more romantic, like that shit you see on TV, but when she didn’t seem thrilled about leaving the boys to go on an exciting trip to Paris with me, I figured it was the best time to spring the ring on her.  She wasn’t expecting it.

The smile on her face was priceless.

I knew how happy I’d made her, and how far forward I’d pushed our relationship.  

I love her.  I feel it so hard inside of me, every day when I wake up, and every night when I go to bed.  It’s like this pulsing, vibrating sensation that I can’t shake.  When I go to work I long for her, when I’m home and she’s in the other room...I long for her.  Am I sick? Or just hopelessly devoted to her?  

Can it be true? Can I really...be ready to marry this woman in a year or two?

It’ll be a damn miracle, if so.

“Hold your foot still.”

“I am!” Austin whines and sighs harshly as he leans back against the bench.

I took Abbey’s advice and decided to do something with Austin.  Normally I wouldn’t have bothered, because he’s old enough to understand that I have a job to do and my life can’t revolve around him all the time like he wants it to.  But since she was so adamant about me doing this, I caved in and took him ice skating today.  It’s Christmas Eve morning, not the best day because of how crowded the city is for the holiday, but the only day I could go.  Yesterday was all about end of year business, last minute things I had to take care of at the office before we break for the holiday.  I allowed myself to leave around seven, wishing my staff a happy holiday for the first time since I was promoted.

Strange, the office seemed to have a more light hearted feel to it this year.  Usually nobody is smiling, everybody is rushing around, trying to get home.  I guess I must have changed the morale somewhat over the past few months.

Because Abbey changed me.

I pull the second set of laces tight at the top of Austin’s skate, and tie them securely before allowing him to put his foot back on the ground.  “You ready?”

He crosses his arms.  “I don’t know how.”

“I’m gonna show you how,” I nod.  “Come on, man up.”

He studies the other skaters out on the ice for several moments.  He’s been mad at me since the night of his play, still not being able to understand the conscientious effort I made to see him prance around the stage at school.  I really did rush.  As soon as those clients let me go on my way, I had Quincy race to Dalton, just to be told by my girlfriend that I’d missed the whole thing.  I don’t know how many times I need to apologize to this kid.  It’s like he can’t let things go.  

But then again, neither can I.

“Are you going away after Christmas?”

I’m sure Abbey must have filled him in about our trip.  I wouldn’t expect anything less from her though.  She likes to keep Austin informed, because he’s older, and can handle information like that.  “For a few days, yeah.”  I get up quickly and hold out a gloved hand to him.

He doesn’t get up.  “Why?”

I sigh a little bit.  “Because...me and Abbey need some time together.”
“Yeah, time away from us.”  He rolls his eyes.

“You’d be bored anyway.  Come on, get up.”  

This time he takes my hand, not without glaring at me, and I make sure his jacket is zipped and his hat is pulled down snug over his ears before starting to walk towards the rink with him.  “Now watch how I do this,” I tell him, leaving him clinging to the side of the rink as I step out on the ice.  “One foot.”  I move my right foot the proper way.  “Then push off with the other foot.” I glide forward a little bit before turning to face him.  “Get it?”

He shrugs.  “Can’t we do something else?”

I laugh a little bit.  “Can’t you ever just be satisfied?”

He looks down at his skates for a moment.  “I don’t want to fall.”

He’s scared, he just doesn’t want to admit it.  I guess I shouldn’t blame him.  The kid does have a broken arm, and didn’t have the easiest trip to Colorado.  “How about I just guide you then?”

“I don’t really want to skate, Justin.”

He doesn’t say it in a nasty tone of voice, like I would expect him too.  No this is a scared tone.  One that tells me the moment I force him out onto the ice, he’s going to have a meltdown.  I sigh a little bit.  “You should have told me before I laced you up,” I huff.

“You wouldn’t have listened anyway,” he mutters.

He’s right.  “Fine,” I nod.  “So what do you want to do?”

“We can just go home.”

“No,” I laugh.  “We can’t.  We’re doing something today.”

“Just because Abbey wants you to,” he grunts.  “Don’t do me any favors.”

“Hey.”  I skate back over to the railing and step off the ice.  “You really think that I hate being with you?”

“You never want to be around me.”

“We hung out at the beach house,” I remind him.  

“That was months ago.”

I sigh.  He’s right, and I hate that he’s right.  I’m either caught up at work, or with Abbey, and then...I guess...I might pay a lot more attention to Davey sometimes.  Austin is so self sufficient though, that I tend to overlook him.  I should have learned my lesson in Colorado.  His fall should have made us that much closer, but it didn’t.  

“You said we’d practice my moves for soccer every weekend,” he tells me next.  “You did that with me one time, Justin.”

“So I’m not the man of the year,” I admit with a small laugh.  “You knew that before you came to the city.”

He hangs his head low.  “Am I not worth it?”

I cock my head to the side.  “What?”

He shrugs.  “Maybe I’m...I’m not worth it.”

My mouth drops open a little bit.  Every emotion that’s been lit up inside of me for the past few weeks begins to fizzle out.  I feel terrible.  I never...I never ever wanted him to feel that way.  “Hey, listen to me.”  I pull on his hand and make him sit down on a bench with me again.  “Don’t you ever think that.”

He won’t look at me.

“You’re...you’re so important to me,” I tell him, tapping on his face a little so he’ll look at me. “You mean everything to me, Aus.”

“Then why can’t we do things together,” he whispers.

I sigh and sit back a little.  It’s obvious.  He needs as much love as Davey does, and not just from Abbey.  He really needs me, always.  “We can,” I manage after a few minutes.  “I just...I guess I never really thought about it.”

“When momma and daddy were alive...I felt invisible.”

I throw my arm over his shoulders.  “Yeah.  I did too.”

He looks up at me.  “You did?”

I nod.  “They had a lot of problems, Austin.”

“They were worried about Davey all the time,” he tells me.  “They didn’t have time for me.”

I sigh harshly, and try not to get emotional when I look over at him again.  In a way, we’ve lived the same type of life.  Only, Austin was able to learn better on his own.  He’s so much smarter than I’ll ever be, and I admire him for it.  “I’m sorry that...I’m sorry that I never seem to be around for you.”

He just nods a little and looks down at his lap.

“Things are going to change,” I tell him quickly.  “I promise you.  I’m going to be around more, you’ll see.”

“I...I don’t want to believe you,” he whimpers.  “If I believe it, you might not do it.”

“I’m doing it,” I tell him harshly.  “That’s it...”  I forcefully pull his legs up on my lap and untie his laces before yanking his skates off.  “You tell me what you want to do right now.  Whatever you want, we’re doing it!”

He smiles just a little bit.
*********
“Go higher! Higher!”

I laugh a little as I push Austin on the swing.  Out of everything he could have asked me for, all he wanted to do was come to his favorite playground and get pushed on the swings.  I have to admit, it’s the first time I’ve done anything like this with either of my brothers.  That makes me feel a little bit rotten inside.  I guess I know what my New Years resolution should be...spend more time with my brothers...specifically Austin, since Davey gets so much damn attention as it is.  “I’m gonna push you over the top in a minute,” I chuckle.  “You’re like Evil Kenevil.”

“Who’s...Evil...Kenevil?”

I push him so he goes even higher.  “Never mind.  Just swing.”

“Austin! Austin, Austin!”

A little girl comes running over to us out of nowhere.  I just chuckle and barely glance at her, figuring it must be one of his little friends from school.  Austin stops pumping immediately.  “Hi Kristy!”

Oh, fuck.

Austin gets off the swing and immediately begins to chit chat with his friend.  I don’t stop them of course.  They’re just kids, and it’s not fair to tear them apart.  But I know if Kristy is here then Trace can’t be too far behind, although I wouldn’t put it past him to let Kristy go out by herself.

“Kris, come on,” I hear a familiar voice boom from across the park.  One that I can’t mistake.  “Come on!”

“But Daddy!” Kristy whines.

Then I see him storming over to us.  He doesn’t look so bad actually, given the situation, but I know him, I can tell he’s fucking restless from weeks without work and nothing else to do besides sit around with his daughter.  I’d leave, but really, I don’t want to look like a wimp in front of my brother during one of our few and far between bonding sessions.  Instead, I lean against the side of the swing set, waiting for the inevitable to happen as Trace reaches our spot.

“Kris, let’s go.”  He doesn’t even look at me as he takes his daughter by the hand.  He’s holding a dog on a leash in the other, with a golden retriever puppy attached that seems anxious to get moving.  It’s hilarious to me because Trace hates dogs.  It’s all for Kristy.  

He’s not so damn tough.

“I want to stay and play with Austin,” she whimpers.  “Daddy...please.”

I know Trace is a sucker for the look she’s giving him right now.  That wide eyed ‘I’m just a sweet angel, daddy’ face.  He sighs and his shoulders slump in defeat.  “Okay, baby,” he says to her softly as he lets go of her hand.  “For just a little bit though, okay?”

“Okay!”

“Let’s go over there!” Austin says, pointing to some slides in the distance.  Before long, they’re clear across the park.

And that means Trace and I are standing here, alone together.  

He lets the dog sniff around the area for a while, completely ignoring me.  I know it’s his intention to act like I’m invisible.  I should act like that with him too, be just as stubborn.  But the more I stand here, the more I realize that I miss him, even if he is a big asshole.  “Hey, Trace,” I finally say to him.

He pauses, and slowly glances at me after a moment or two.  “Don’t bother.”

I just roll my eyes.  “I’m not trying to be an asshole.”

“Too late,” he mutters.  “You’ve been an asshole for years.”

I chuckle heartily to myself.  “Look who’s talking.”

He flashes me a sarcastic smirk.  “You still fucking your nanny, Justin?”

I hate that he’ll hide behind this one subject so he won’t have to tell me what’s really on his mind.  The fact that his life fell apart so quickly wasn’t due to my relationship with Abbey at all.  In fact, she’s the one who wanted to help him out long before I did.  “Why don’t you just tell me what’s really wrong,” I reply.  “I know this isn’t about Abbey.”

“You’re out of touch, that’s my problem!” He yells at me.  “It’s like, nothing else matters to you now besides Abbey.  The firm is taking a hit, and you don’t even care.”

“Actually,” I smile.  “We’re up fifteen percent over last year.  I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.”

This seems to frustrate him more than anything else.  I guess he was hoping he was right.  That’s I’d realized the “error” of my ways or something.  Now that I’ve proved to him that I’ve been working harder than he thought, he’s pissed at himself.  “Whatever,” he mutters.  “You got lucky.”

“I worked my ass off, is more like it,” I tell him.  “You know I always have, and I’ve figured out a way to balance work with my personal life.  I mean, don’t you get it? I don’t want to be alone.  I love her, the boys love her, and she loves us.  We have a good thing together.  I know...I know this isn’t even about that though.  You could have talked to me about what’s been going on with you, man.  Things haven’t exactly been the best, and I could have helped you through it.  But you just...decided to go into hiding or something.  Hell, I dunno, Trace.  It’s weird not being friends though, I know that much.”

“Oh, so I’m just supposed to start hanging out with you again because you say so?” He glares at me and tugs on the dogs leash a little so it will go in the opposite direction.  “Justin Timberlake, master of the universe...”r32;
“Why do you hate me so much?” I whisper, cutting his speech short.  “It’s like, you’re so bent out of shape because I’m happy.  I’m starting to think you liked it when I was a cold hearted asshole with no heart.  Maybe it was because you had Syd then...a relationship, something I didn’t have.”

He stares at me, his mouth hanging open.  I think I may have nailed that one, only he wasn’t expecting it at all.  I never realized before just how much of an asshole I was before Abbey came into my life.  I was always miserable, always cold to everybody around me.  Trace was always the upbeat one, the guy everybody in the office wanted to be around.  Now...things have changed.  Now my employees look at me as an all around good guy.  The more I think about it, I realize my execs haven’t been kissing my ass as much.  They’ve been a lot more genuine.  I think they’ve seen the change in me and they’re liking it.

I never want to go back to how I used to be.

Crazy, it’s like Trace and I have switched roles.  He’s learning what it’s like to be on that side of the fence now, and he hates it.  What’s more, he’s raising Kristy on his own now, something I’m sure he was never prepared for.  Work was an escape for him.  He could shove her off on a nanny and have an excuse not to spend time with her.  But now that he’s not working, I’m sure the kid has him wrapped her finger.  She needs him.  I wish he could realize that instead of pouting about it.

“You think I’m jealous of you?” He scoffs.

“Yes, I do,” I state, bluntly.  “I think you’ve been pissed since I got this position.  You wanted it.  You thought you could get it by sticking with me and kissing ass, but you didn’t count on me rising above everybody else.  I’m sorry, Trace, you know? I didn’t realize my potential until you showed it to me.  But I wasn’t going to give up the title because you might feel bad.  It’s a cut throat industry.  You should know that better than anyone.”

“I became your little errand boy,” he grunts.

“You really think that?” I laugh.  “Trace, if I gave you a ton of responsibility, it was because I felt I could trust you more than the rest of them.  I thought you enjoyed the work.”

He clenches his jaw, and sends me another angry glare.  “I was working so much that I couldn’t even take the time to realize what Sydney was doing to herself,” he mutters.  “By the time I did, I was in a jail cell.  Now she’s dead, Justin!  She’s dead because I couldn’t take the time to help her.  I was too wrapped up in work to care what she was putting up her nose!”

He’s holding himself completely responsible for the whole thing.  I feel horrible for him, even if I never really liked Sydney to begin with.  As much as he acts like he didn’t really care all that much for her, that his feelings only lied with Kristy the whole time they were together, I know that’s not the truth.  Deep down, he loved Sydney, flaws and all.  He feels that her death was brought on by his negligence and greed, but the truth is, Sydney did it to herself.  “You didn’t force her to snort cocaine,” I tell him quietly.  “You can’t hold yourself responsible.  It’s shit, I know...everything has been shit in your life for months, and...I’m sorry.  I wish you didn’t have to go through it.”

“Well I did go through it,” he grunts.  “I’m still going through it now.”

I shove my hands in my pockets and look down at the ground for a moment.  I don’t really know why I feel compelled to be his friend right now.  After the way he treated me, I shouldn’t want anything to do with him.  But he hand I have too much of a history, and he was there for me at a time in my life where I was completely alone.  If it hadn’t been for Trace, I guess I can say...Abbey never would have come into my life.

In a way, I’ll always be indebted to the guy.

“I still want to be friends, Trace,” I finally say to him.  “I care about you, even if you think that I don’t.”

I wait for him to spout off another derogatory mark to me, but he doesn’t.  He stares at me for a moment, before his face gets all red.  Then he drops the dogs leash, and starts to sob into his hands.  He’s breaking down, probably for the first time since he went to jail.  I know how hard it is for him to do this.  Trace just...isn’t an emotional person.  He’s less emotional than myself.  It’s awkward for me to watch him cry.  I don’t really know what to do or what to say.  I look out in the distance for the kids, and see that they’re still distracted with the slides, so I walk over to Trace and pick up the dogs leash before the animal can wonder off.

And then, I reach out for my friend.

“You’re gonna be okay,” I say, placing an arm around him.  “It’s gonna work itself out, Trace.”

“Don’t.”  He yanks away from me and rubs his face harshly.  “God, I’m a fuckin’ pussy.”

“Sometimes you need to let it out,” I tell him.  “You’ll go crazy otherwise.”

He yanks the dog’s leash out of my hand.  “Screw you.”

He walks away from me.  I let him.  I know how his temper is, how he needs to think about what just happened for a few days before he’ll even think about connecting with me again.  That’s okay though.  I’ll let him take his time, because I know he’s too smart to let our friendship dwindle away like this. Sure, I’m not happy about it, but I’m not going to chase after him either.  I have other things in my life now that are more important, and I think that’s finally occurred to him.

“Kristy’s dad made her leave,” Austin pouts as he walks back over to where I’m standing.  “He’s a jerk.”

“He’s not a jerk,” I sigh, and ruffle his hair a little before putting my arm around him and drawing him closer to my side.  “He’s going through something, but he’s a good person, Austin.”

“Why doesn’t he want to talk to you anymore?” Austin asks me.  “Kristy says he doesn’t.”

“That,” I chuckle.  “Is a story too long and complicated to talk to you about.  I’d bore you to tears.”

He nods, seeming to understand my reasoning.  “Do you miss him as your friend?”

“Yeah,” I tell him.  “I do.”

He doesn’t say anything else.  I think he can tell that it’s a touchy subject with me, that I might get a little bit more emotional than I would like to if we keep talking about it, so he just hugs me around the waist for a few moments.  I smile, ruffle his hair.  “C’mon, you want a root beer float or something?”

“Okay,” he says, still gripping my waist as he looks up at me.

We start to walk off together, and I pause with him at the corner to hail a taxi.

“Justin.”

I look down at him.  “Yeah, Aus?”

“I’m glad you’re my brother.”
Thirty Five by ialwayzbesingin
Christmas was always a special time for me and my sister when we were growing up.  Brighton is a festive community.  They would set up a little Christmas village downtown, with it’s own Santa for the kids to visit and a big tree that would get lit up a couple of weeks before the holiday took place.  My Dad would always get that excited gleam in his eyes after the first of November, and we both knew we’d be able to twist his emotions in our favor more than any other time of the year.  Years passed, Braeden moved to town, and my life changed again.  Our families became fast friends, eventually merging their own family holiday celebration with ours.  The parties stretched from the day before Christmas eve right up until New Years day.  Somewhere, hidden in the depths of my closet back home, is the photo album filled with pictures from all of those holiday parties.  Pictures I cherished before Braeden was gone, and buried when I left for New York City.

In fact, I’ve barely celebrated the holiday since I came out here.  Charlene and I would usually order Chinese and call our families, set up a rinky dink tree in the corner of the living room, but that was the extent of it.  

This is the first year Thanksgiving and Christmas have paid a significant part in my life since Braeden’s disappearance.  I never thought I’d be able to enjoy this time of year again with such ease...but I have.  Justin, he’s made it so easy for me.  Well, Justin and the boys.  They’ve taken my mind off of the past, forced me to focus on them and the excitement of the city during the busy holiday.  I know it’s been different for Justin too.  I doubt he’s had much of a reason to celebrate a holiday in a very long time.  In fact, he wasn’t even considering putting up a tree until I mentioned it to him.

“A tree?”  He snickered a little bit.  “There’s one in Rockerfeller Center.”

“Really?” I rolled my eyes.  

“I’ve never had a tree,” he shrugged.  “They just get tossed anyway.”

“What about the boys?” I nudged him and smiled a little.  “Don’t you think they want one?  They were asking me about it.”

“What’s the difference?”

“Justin.”  I narrowed my eyes at him.  I think that said it all.

“Sure, we’ll get one if you want,” he said automatically, giving me a kiss on the mouth to seal the deal.  

Putting that ring on my finger really changed him.  Not that he hasn’t changed since I met him.  He’s changed a hell of a lot, but that ring...it’s made him so much more weary of how he acts, what we talk about, and the things I desire.  I’m not needy by any means, but lately, if I let him know about something we need, or that the boys have asked for, he’s gotten it taken care of right then and there.  I know I’m his family now.  It’s not just about being his girlfriend anymore.  I won’t label it and I won’t sit around hoping he’ll ask me to marry him in six months.  Justin isn’t about that...at least not yet, and what we have right now is enough to satisfy me for the long run.

Meaning, if he never marries me, I guess I can live with that.

I can live with that because I know I’m the only woman he wants in his life.

The tree was delivered the very next day.  I quickly realized that Justin had no Christmas decorations whatsoever in his house either, and so, after picking the boys up from school, I had Quincy drive us to Macys, to stock up on ornaments and other home decor items.  The boys are little sticklers for detail, I realized.  They like things to be ornate and pretty, like Justin does.  It was cute, they way they debated over the different tree ornaments and mantle decorations.  We spent five hours there, with two personal shoppers, before I was finally satisfied with the choices we made.  I had completely lost track of the time I guess, because when we walked in the door, Justin was already home, eating some food Lucinda had made for him.

“You guys went shopping?” He smiled, before getting up and coming over to the door to take the bags out of my arms.  “What’d you buy me?” He smiled and kissed me quickly before placing the bags down on sofa.

“We bought Christmas stuff!” Austin exclaimed as he threw his jacket off and started to run towards his bedroom.

“Austin Michael!” I called after him.

He skidded to a stop, remembering himself.  “Sorry.”  He walked over and picked his jacket up off the floor.

“Thank you,” I smirked at him, before letting him go on his way.  Davey followed suit, and I turned my attention to Justin, who was rifling through the bags he’d placed on the sofa.  

“You sure went all out,” he laughed, as he pulled out a box full of glass Christmas balls.  “I could have just hired somebody to do this for you, baby.”

“But it’s tradition,” I told him, as I walked over to where he stood.  “You’re supposed to decorate the tree with your family.”

He studied the ornaments for a moment.  “I dunno. I never did that.”

“Never?” I scoffed.

He placed the ornaments back in the bag.  “We didn’t have a tree,” he confessed.  “We didn’t have much of a Christmas, actually.  I’m not sure about the boys.  I guess they did at some point after I left.  They wouldn’t have asked you about it otherwise.”

It was another tender spot inside of him.  He had no real connection with Christmas.  In a way, it was like he was about to experience his very first one, and he had no idea what you were supposed to do besides buy material things for your loved ones.  I reached out and squeezed his hand gently.  “Well then I guess I got lucky.  I get to introduce you to a new experience for once.  I promise, it’s not as scary as it seems.”

He laughed a little bit, before drawing me close and running his hands through my hair.  “I like a challenge,” he smirked.  “Especially when it’s with you.”

Justin, myself, and the boys decorated the tree after dinner.  Since Justin has a slight OCD issue, it took longer than anticipated.  Everything had to be color coordinated, and level.  It meant the boys couldn’t run wild and put ornaments everywhere they wanted to, which frustrated Davey more than anyone else.  He whined and pouted when Justin would step in and fix something he did, so eventually I found myself sitting on the couch with him on my lap, watching Austin and Justin finish the job together.  I didn’t get angry.  It would have been silly.  I think it taught me a lot about Justin’s thought process though, and how Austin was exactly like him.  He too had grown impatient with Davey’s disorderly decorating skills.  I think OCD might be a running trait in their family.  Nevertheless, it was something we all got to experience together, as a family, no matter how hands on some of us were with the project.  When it was complete, I couldn’t deny that it was one of the nicest trees I’d seen in years.

It was so nice, in fact, that I persuaded Justin to hire a photographer to come in that weekend so we could take a picture in front of it with the boys.  Surprisingly, he liked the idea.  He said he could use a holiday picture for his office, and I for one was ecstatic.  We had so many Christmas cards coming in from the families that we associated with, I knew it would be nice to send out some of our own.  We had the photo shoot that weekend, and the pictures came back two days later.  There was one in particular that the photographer had Justin and I take by ourselves in front of the mantle.  That one and the picture of the four of us in front of the tree are my two favorites, and Justin agreed to put both of them in his office come the new year.

I framed my copies, and keep them on the nightstand by my side of the bed.  Before this, Justin and I hadn’t taken any pictures together as a couple.  Late at night, after he’s fallen asleep, I lie awake gazing at the picture of the two of us.  We look refreshed and happy, like we’ve started a wonderful new life together.  I’ve only cherished one other picture like that one...

It’s sitting on top of my parents entertainment center.  I must have passed it a hundred times while we were at the house, but I only picked it up once.  Really, I was surprised they still had it at all.  It was taken of Braeden and I during a trip to Virginia Beach, just a year before he disappeared.  It was our very best picture.  One that I never would have received if Braeden hadn’t discovered the undeveloped roll in his duffle bag, once he’d been deployed the following year.  

That picture, along with the note he wrote me to go with it, were the last things I ever got from him.  I wanted to take it with me before I left, I would have too, except...if Justin found it, I was sure it would have made things awkward.  I didn’t want to do that to him.  I didn’t want him to think I was still so stuck on Braeden that we couldn’t move forward.  Leaving it behind was the right choice, I know that now, because of the ring and because of how Justin is with me.  Leaving it behind...meant leaving Braeden behind forever, and I did that without guilt.  

I did it, and I realize it’s what he would have wanted.  I hope that he knows how my life has turned out, that he’s looking down on me and can finally be at peace knowing that I’m in love, that I’m happy, and that I’ll always be taken care of.

The following week was the last one before Christmas, and I found myself thrust into the busy hustle and bustle of the retail world as I tried to fill the Christmas lists given to me by the boys.  Naturally, Austin wanted a gun, and not just any gun.  He wanted an actual hunting rifle, which I was completely against.  Justin on the other hand, didn’t see a problem with it.  “He’s old enough.  He knows how to be careful,” was his response.

“He’s not getting a gun,” I muttered to him, as I began to survey the rest of Austin’s Christmas demands.

“All boys his age down south have one,” Justin explained.  “It’s just...the culture, Abbey.  I’ll make sure he’s careful with it.”

“Then he’ll shoot Davey in the eye or something,” I snapped.  “Or worse!”

“He won’t use it unless I’m around,” he nodded and caressed my face a little.  “Don’t worry.  I’ll keep it locked away if it worries you that much.  He won’t get to it that way.”

I sighed.

“C’mon Ab,” he whispered and gave me a gentle kiss.  “If anything, it’ll give us the chance to spend more time together.”

He killed me.  Absolutely killed me.  I couldn’t say no after that.  It would have been fucked up.  “You suck,” I muttered.  “The first time he gets hurt, or almost gets hurt...I swear...”

“I know, it’s done,” he laughed.  

“And Davey isn’t allowed near it.”

“No, of course not.”

He was grinning.  

“You’re going to buy it,” I pouted.  “I’m not setting foot near a gun store.”

“I have it under control,” he reassured me.  “I’ll take care of it.”

I just grunted at him, and neither of us brought the subject up after that.  

The kids requests were surprisingly simple, other than the gun thing.  Their lists were filled with games and toys that most of the stores had in stock.  Shopping, shockingly enough, was easy.  My friends looked on as I shopped, in envy.  I knew their lists were complied of toys that were so high in demand, they should have been bought months beforehand.  I guess that’s the price you pay for having spoiled kids.  Austin and Davey, while they could be demanding, weren’t greedy.  They asked for simple stuff, and although I was grateful, I was also sure Christmas wouldn’t be as simple the following year.  They would have a whole year to get used to living a privileged lifestyle, and would know they could get whatever they wanted, within reason.

It’s scary for me to think of the types of kids they’ll be in a year.  Between Justin and I, I’m praying we can keep them as grounded as they are right now.  Something tells me that’s going to be hard though, when there is so much in the world to influence them every single day.  

I spent most of Christmas eve morning packing our bags for Paris.  I have to admit, while the thought of going overseas was exciting, I’d had little time to think about it, or hell, even research it.  I was sure Justin knew what he was doing, and that he’d been there enough to know what to do when we got there, but I’d always been a planner and it felt weird going into the vacation blind.  But between the entertaining the boys, shopping, and packing, there simply hadn’t been time.  I had little butterflies in my stomach, the anticipation of being completely alone with Justin for a week overwhelming me slightly.  I wanted it.  I wanted it badly.  It would show us so much more about each other, bring out things about each other that we had yet to discover.  At the same time though, I was nervous something would go wrong.  That Justin would find out something about me that annoyed him...that he wouldn’t love me as much.  I was probably being ridiculous, but I couldn’t be completely reassured until we were in Paris, alone together.

Justin invited Dennis, his wife Trisha, and their two children to join us for Christmas eve dinner.  Since Austin and Davey had never met their children before, we decided it was a good a time as any since the boys would be spending the week there.  They have one girl around Davey’s age and a fourteen year old boy.  He’s slightly taller than Austin, but even tempered, and they seemed to have a lot in common when it came to the latest video games.  As we four adults enjoyed the dinner Lucinda prepared, I began to feel a little less concerned that the boys would feel we were abandoning them.  The kids seemed comfortable around each other, so I slowly began to put them to the back of my mind.  I drank my wine, laughed along with Justin at the stories Dennis and Trisha shared about their own lives.  They’re nice people.  Justin told me that he’d just put Dennis in Trace’s old position, and I was glad.  He was a lot more respectful than Trace ever was, and didn’t seem so...cold I guess.  He was just trying to take care of his family, like Justin was trying to take care of me and the boys, and I knew their business venture was going to work out.

It meant I was going to start hearing a lot less about the office from Justin, and I for one, couldn’t have been happier.  The less stress he brought home from that place, the better it was for all of us.

The boys went to bed shortly after Dennis and his family left for the evening, and Justin and I took the opportunity to have a final glass of wine on the sofa together after putting the boys’ gifts underneath the tree.  I’d only gotten Justin one thing, because it was next to impossible to figure out what to buy a guy who had everything already.  Still, I felt it was something he would enjoy, and while I had been fully intent on giving it to him the next morning, something about that moment told me the time was right.  I put my wine glass down and kissed him quickly before telling him I would be right back.  I retrieved the gift from it’s place high on a closet shelf and hurried back beside him before he could get curious.

“Merry Christmas.”  I placed it on his lap and smiled at him.

He took another sip of his wine before putting the glass down and smiling at me a little as he lifted the box up.  “What’s this?”

“You’re supposed to open it,” I chuckled.  “That’s the point.”

He smirked and shook his head.  “You shouldn’t have gotten me anything, Ab,” he said, as he tore into the wrapping paper.

“It’s Christmas.  Get over it.”

He rolled his eyes a little as he finished clearing the wrapping away, and as he studied the gift, I saw his eyes get big and his little smirk grow into a wide smile.  “The Warrenburg Art Club!” He exclaimed.  “I thought...I thought they...”

“They did,” I nodded.

“But how did you get this, and platinum status too?”  He looked back down at the packet in his hands.  “They said the list was closed! I missed the registration deadline by three weeks.”

“I asked around,” I told him as I reached up and ran my hand through his short curls.  “I got a few numbers and figured, what the hell?  I’ll try.”

He looked back up at me after another few minutes of staring at the booklet in his hands, like it was a piece of gold.  Really, I knew he’d go nuts.  It took me forever to think of something art related that he either didn’t have, or would be interested in.  I got so desperate, in fact, that I ended up calling Cheryl one day to ask her advice.  She told me that there weren’t many things that Justin wanted, but there was one art club he’d been trying to get into, that he always missed the boat on.  What they do, is send a different piece of registered museum art to display in your home each month of the year.  They’ve been known to send everything from Picasso, to Da Vinci, and the client list is very exclusive.  Apparently, people wait years to get on it, and even then, it’s only a select few that get placed on the platinum list.  I guess it’s understandable, with the risk of things getting destroyed.

But it only took me about thirty phone calls and a whole bunch of sweet talking to get my way.  Platinum and all.  I was proud of myself.

“This is so great,” he said, like a little kid.  “I’ll have to clear a place...Ab...”  He turned to me and smiled, pulling me towards him so he could plant a long, sensual kiss on my lips.  “You did this?  I mean...it’s the Warrenburg...”

“I know, it’s the Warrenburg Art Club,” I cackled.  “Are you going to have a cardiac?”

He leaned back against the sofa, and pulled me down to rest against his chest.  “I might.  No woman has ever bought me art.”

“Does that turn you on?”

“Absolutely.” He kissed me, and looked into my eyes for a long moment, before smiling again.  “I can’t wait to get you out of here.”

And in all honesty, I couldn’t wait to get out of there with him.

Justin took me to bed that night, made love to me harder and stronger than he ever had.  Things had escalated with us...again.  It wasn’t the fact that I’d gotten him something special for Christmas, it was the fact that I knew what he wanted most without asking him, it was the fact that I knew him better than anybody else, and that he knew me.  

We’re building this big, beautiful life together.  A life that most people in relationships wish they could have.  I don’t like to gloat but...I’m just so damn happy.  I don’t think I could stop smiling if I tried.  It makes me want to break down and cry sometimes, but I can’t because I hate being too sappy.    

The boys dove into their pile of gifts the next morning.  Justin and I only realized this when we heard their excited hoots and hollers echoing from downstairs, and after much moaning and groaning, we managed to stagger down to them in our bathrobes, barely awake from a night of wine and passion.

“Crazy City! Crazy City!” Austin waved his video game in the air as we took a seat on the sofa together.  “I wanted this so bad!”

He tossed it somewhere behind him, and Justin and I laughed heartily together as he began to tear into the rest of the pile of gifts.  

“Hey Austin,” Justin piped up as I helped Davey open another gift.  “I think I see another gift for you over there behind the window curtain.”

I knew it was the gun, and I sucked in a breath, determined not to let my feelings about the subject shine through after such a great night.

“What is it?” He said, head cocked to the side, still holding two other games in his hands.

“Go look,” Justin chuckled, and draped his arm over my shoulders.

He slowly stood up, and gave us both a weird look as he crept over to the window, moving the curtain aside to reveal a long, slender box, wrapped it silver paper with a red bow.  He picked it up, and turned back to us.  “Is it...”

“Would you open it?” Justin laughed.  “C’mon.”

He smiled brightly and tore the paper off, to reveal what it actually was.  A Winchester hunting rifle.  I was no expert on guns, but just the look of the box made told me it was an expensive gun.

“A Winchester!” He exclaimed.  “Really!”

Justin smiled.  “Yep.  But there’s gonna be rules.”

“Okay!”

I knew he wasn’t paying attention to that part as he tore open the top of the box and pulled the gun out.  “Austin,” I said.  “Justin wants to explain some things about that...gun.”  I eyed my boyfriend a little, hoping he would get the hint to keep talking.

“Right,” Justin blurted out.  “You have to leave it with me, and you can’t use it unless I’m home and with you.  I don’t want to hear that you’ve been trying to find it while I’m not here, either.  Deal?”
r32;Austin held the gun in his hands, marveling at its beauty.  I knew it was what he really wanted, and I was glad he was happy but...I still hated the fact that it could kill or severely injure someone.  “Deal,” Austin nodded.  “Thank you!”

He ran over to Justin and gave him the biggest hug I think he’d ever given him.  I let them have their moment, and did my best to push the thought of the gun out of my head as I joined Davey in opening more presents.  He went nuts when we opened up a Lego play set that he’d been begging us for since he saw it on TV earlier in the month.  The boys had a great holiday, even if I didn’t agree with some of their gifts.  It meant that I could go on vacation with the peace of mind that they wouldn’t hold our little separation against me for long.  Quincy picked the four of us up later that afternoon, and we drove them to Dennis’ house before heading to the airport.  Justin and I made them both promise to be good, and I promised each of them that I would be calling to check on them every day.  I was thanking Dennis and Trish profusely, before Justin began to clear his throat and tug on my arm, telling me he wanted to go.

So I left, forcing myself not to look back at my little men as we made our way to the airport.

We landed in Paris early this morning.  I was so tired that I let Justin do all the work after we got off the plane.  The most I remember was getting into a car with him, and being helped up some stairs and into the most comfortable bed ever.  My eyes fluttered open a little while ago, and for a moment I forgot where I was before I saw Justin beside me, flipping through his Warrenburg Art Club booklet.  I smiled.  He’s so dorky sometimes that it’s adorable.  I’ve been lying here watching him for a good twenty minutes now, and he’s been so caught up in his art fetish that he hasn’t noticed me yet.

“Bonjour,” I say to him tiredly.

He looks over at me, placing the book down beside him as he smiles and slides down next to me, pulling me into his arms.  “Bonjour sleepyhead,” he laughs.

“Where are we?”

“My apartment.”

I raise an eyebrow.  “You’re just full of surprises.”

“Sometimes,” he laughs.  “You feel like going out?”

I sit up a little bit and yawn as I stretch my arms out.  “Yeah,” I finally say.  “I’m starving.”

“Well, you’ve come to the right person.”

“Yes, I know.  Your cheese class at Le Covine was riveting.”

“If you think that was exciting, wait until I teach you about crepes!”

“You really are a dork.  I wish they knew that back home.”

“Then it wouldn’t be as fun,” he smirks as he pulls me down to him before I can get up.  “I only want a select few to know about my dorkiness.  I like to be intimidating when I can be.”

“There’s only room for one person to be intimidating in this relationship,” I laugh.  “And that’s my job.”

“You got me.”  He kisses me gently as he laughs.  “I’m no match for you, Ab.”

We shower...together.  It takes longer than it normally would for me to shower of course, because Justin insists on christening our trip to Paris right then and there.  After, Justin gives me the grand tour of his apartment.  It has the same touches of our place back in New York, and makes me start to miss it a little bit less.  We spend the rest of the afternoon and part of the early evening taking in the surrounding area.  It’s a quaint little part of Paris, away from a lot of the hot tourist spots that Justin tells me he’s taking me to tomorrow.  We eat a light dinner at a little cafe near the apartment.  Justin tells me it’s his favorite in all of Paris, and it shows, because they know him by name.  He introduces me to his favorite flavored crepes as promised, some that I never would have dared to try on my own, while telling me some history about the area.  I know how much he loves being here, and I also know how bored the boys would be.  

I hate to say it, but I’m glad we came here without them.

“Tired yet?” He smiles as our plates are cleared.

He has that gleam in his eyes.  The same one he had the night we went down to Little Italy.  He’s planned something.  “I guess I could hold up for a few more hours,” I say to him with a sly smile.  “What are you up to?”

He chuckles.  “C’mon.”  He gets up and holds his hand out to me.

I eye him suspiciously, but take it anyway, and then we’re off.  Justin hails a taxi that takes us someplace downtown after he rambles something off to the driver in French.  I can see the Eiffel Tower in the distance.  It’s beautiful, all lit up now that the sun is down.  “Are we going there?” I say, sounding excited like Austin would if I told him we were going to Disney World.

“Tomorrow,” Justin nods, as he takes my hand in his.  “Tonight it’ll be crowded.”

My shoulders sag.  “Oh.”

“Don’t sound so disappointed,” he laughs.  “I planned something else you’ll like more.”

The taxi pushes on, and Justin points out different things we pass along the way, all the while reassuring me that I’ll get to see them in more detail during the coming days.  I try not to be disappointed.  I guess I’m just anxious.  I’ve never been to Europe, and there’s so much to see.  So much that I just don’t see how we can cover everything in a week.  I really need to calm down, and when I feel the car beginning to slow down, I finally start to grow curious about what Justin has planned for us tonight.

When I get out of the cab, I find that we’ve arrived at a dock.  There are many boats and yachts docked here, but only one seems ready to set sail at the moment...the biggest yacht on the pier.  Justin guides me forward and a smiling captain steps out of the ship and greets us brightly.  “Are we going on that?” I whisper.

“Yeah.  You and I seem to do well by the water,” he smiles and squeezes my hand a little, letting the captain lead the way onto the yacht.  

We climb a flight of stairs and are led to an observation deck.  A table has been set up for us with a bottle of wine and some pastry desserts.  I take a seat when one of the chairs is pulled out for me, slightly baffled that Justin went to all this trouble our first night here.  

“Surprised?” He asks, as he joins me at the table.  “I thought you’d want to see the city at night. This boat will take us up and down the Seine.  You’ll get to see all the monuments lit up...better than you saw them in the taxi.”

I smile, but I have to look down at the table.  It’s all so much, what he does for me.  I just...I feel like I don’t deserve all of this from him, because I can’t do the same kind of things for him in return.  Not without spending his own money, and that’s pointless.  “It’s wonderful,” I whisper.

“Hey.”

I look up at him, and take his hand when he reaches out for it.  

“What’s the matter?”

The fear in his voice is more than apparent.  He’s terrified that there’s something wrong. “Nothing...no...don’t worry,” I laugh a little and shake my head.  “I guess I just...it’s a lot, the things you do for me, Justin.”

“I love you,” he states.  “Why wouldn’t I do this for you?”

I shrug.  “I dunno I just...”

“Abbey,” he laughs.  “You deserve everything in the world.  You deserve whatever money can buy, and then some.  Don’t you get that?”

I hear the bottle of wine being opened, and then it’s poured into our glasses.  The waiter smiles at us, and points to a room off the deck that he’ll be stationed at in case we need him.  I quickly take a long sip of my wine once he’s gone, because I don’t know what else to say to Justin.  I don’t really think he’s right.  I don’t think I deserve the world.  “I don’t think I’m worth all of that.”

“You saved my life,” he says after a long moment.

I just stare at him.

“Abbey, I was in such a bad place.”  He looks down at my hand and rubs his thumb across the top of it.  “I didn’t have a personality.  I was this mindless financial robot who didn’t care about anything.  I didn’t know what I was missing out on in the real world, you know? You got to me.  You...bring out this side of me, the side that wants to have a life outside of the office, love a woman, and teach my brothers everything I can before they get too old to care.”

I feel the tears creeping down my face now and try to wipe them away, but it’s useless.   I can’t stop.  He’s hit me in the heart, and the fact that we’re in the most romantic city in the world isn’t helping my emotions at all.  

“You’re amazing Abbey Feldman,” he nods.  “And tonight, I want to give you the world.”

He leans across the table and gives me a soft kiss, before moving his chair over so he can sit beside me and sip his wine as we float down the river.  I don’t say much.  I’m too emotional and I don’t want to sob like a baby on his shoulder, so I just lean my head against his shoulder, drink my wine and eat some cake.  Justin gently talks to me about the different things we pass on the river, kisses me, and holds me close to him.  This is what I like to do best with him, and he knows that.  He knows I don’t need luxury in my life to be happy, but at the same time, I think it makes him happy to give me things I could never dream of having with anybody else.  

So I guess if it makes him this happy, I’ll go along with it.

“I love you.”  I lace my fingers through his after a while and whisper it to him.  “I love you so much.”

He kisses my forehead. “Never leave," he whispers.

I smile at him.  “I won't.”
Thirty Six by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Here it goes....

Lennot and I rang in the new year by singing a couple of verses of For Auld Lang Syne.  They like to tell us when it’s Christmas in this place, when it’s New Years.  Lennot says it’s a way for them to gain more control over our emotions.  The more time passes, the more desperate we become here, and the less likely we are to think of escaping.  We’ve sang it for the past six years, and when we were back at the old place, and there were more of us, it seemed a hell of a lot more festive.  It was so hollow this year, so sad, so empty.  It made my heart sink to the lowest point inside of me, knowing it would probably be one of the last times I would get to sing it with him.

It’s been three months since we were brought to this place.  Once we were sold, we traveled for days tied up in the back of that truck, given little to no food or water for the duration of the trip.  When we arrived, we were forced to walk into another building, and only then were the blindfolds, gags, and ropes removed.  It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the light.  I squinted harshly as I was pushed around and made to kneel on the ground with my hands on top of my head.  I knew Lennot was next to me.  He was groaning, exhausted from the trip and dying to get something to eat or drink.  The men in charge of us were standing before us, studying our actions, daring us to make a move.  When we didn’t though...when all we did was remain in front of them on our knees, waiting for our first order, they smiled.  They liked that we were powerless.  They even gave us some water, and a hot meal right there on the floor.  I would have been shocked if I wasn’t so hungry.  I couldn’t even think about the gesture as I devoured everything.  The water was good, the food was something other than stale bread.

It was a miracle.

They let us “shower” after we ate.  Meaning, they took each of us outside, one by on, stripped off our clothes, and hosed us down.  I didn’t even care how barbaric it was, because I couldn’t remember the last time I’d been allowed to bathe.  I felt the layers and layers of caked on dirt and sweat melt off me.  The water felt amazing.  I didn’t even care that I had be naked in front of the bastards.  When they were done, one of them pinned my arms behind me, while the other one pulled out a razor.  That’s when I started to freak out.  I thought that was it.  I thought my throat was going to be sliced open, and that they had only fed and showered us to give us a false sense of hope.  I even started to sob in front of them, something I hated to do...

Then they laughed at me.

“Relax, cow,” the man with the razor said to me in Arabic.  “We need to get rid of the lice.”

My beard had grown out considerably in the six years we were imprisoned at the old place.  I tried not to think about how nasty it was...a tangled mess of matted hair that had grown down past my neck.  I was so anxious to be rid of it, that, for the first time, I decided to trust an insurgent.  I let him shave all that hair off of my face.  He held a mirror up for me when he was done.  I felt faint, dizzy.

It was the first time I’d seen my own reflection in six years.

I looked like a zombie.  My eyes were sunken in, and the light in them had been gone for some time.  I was dead emotionally.  I had no soul.  I lived to be a slave, and that was all.  I started to lose it again, sob openly in front of the two men.  They were silent.  I think they knew what they’d purchased then.  One older gentleman that wasn’t going to be able to hold out much longer, and me...an emotional fucking mess.

I started to place bets with myself on how long it would take them to kill the two of us and toss our bodies into a ravine somewhere.  

They shaved our heads after that, and gave us some new clothes.  The fabric is thin, scratchy, and the outfit itself is all one piece.  It’s not a robe, it more like a gown, a peasant outfit...good for working in the fields because the air is allowed to flow through it more easily.  Most American men would be embarrassed to wear it, but not me.  I don’t care, and I never did.  I was just thankful to have something else to wear besides ripped up linen pants and a bloody shirt.  I was good as new after that...they’d fixed me up, like you would fix up an animal that had been denied proper care.  I realized they needed us for labor, and it was the only reason why they’d put a little effort into us at all.

It was the last time they would ever treat us so well.

I realized we’d been brought to the North, quickly.  There’s no sand here, just miles and miles of rugged mountains that I know we would have a minimal chance of surviving if we were to escape.  They grow Opium, the key ingredient to cocaine, in a small field out back.  As soon as the sun rises each day, I’m forced to wake up, given a measly crust of bread, and brought out to the field to harvest their crops.  If I don’t have three buckets filled with seeds by the end of the day, they whip me until I pass out.  At first I wasn’t the best at the peeling and picking process, but the other man they have here, Holtoy, taught me how to become fast at it.  Good thing, because that first week...I was whipped so hard and so often that I thought I was going to be dead by the end of the month.

Holtoy lost count of how many years he’s been here.  He’s a few years younger than Lennot and came from the reserves, just like me.  When they grabbed him, he’d only been in country for a month, and it was only his first time being deployed.  Needless to say, he has a pretty harsh view of our military now.  He’s strong though.  So damn strong.  He’s learned how to make himself invaluable to these people, so they’ll never try to sell or kill him.  He can pick five buckets of seeds a day.  I’m assuming this is the only reason why he’s still alive, and he tells me that he’ll make sure I can pick five a day eventually too.  He says he likes me, because I’m easy to talk to.  He says that the last person they had helping him wasn’t a survivor like I am...

But he also says that Lennot needs to go.  That he’s a liability.  

I try not to hate him for that.  He doesn’t know what we’ve been through.  I haven’t expanded on details with him, how we watched our friends being marched to their deaths until it was just the two of us left in that place.  It’s just too fucking painful to look back on all of that now.  I have to keep my focus on the future, learn to pick my seeds quicker and hope to God that we get a break...that we can get out of here one day.

They don’t shackle us while we work, which is nice.  I can move a little easier, but that doesn’t mean I can run off.  They have a couple of guards stationed at the entrance to the field.  Holtoy tells me they’ve been ordered to kill us on the spot if we’re caught trying to sneak past them.  I don’t dare.  I still remember what happened to Ericson and that’s not the way I want to go.  We’re still caged at night, but there’s more room in the ones here, and they give us hay to sleep on.  There is a barn that has been reconstructed to house us, and it could probably hold more than a dozen people, but there are only three of us.  I asked Holtoy if there have ever been more prisoners here, but he said as long as he’s been here, he’s only had one other person out in the fields with him.  That’s why he doesn’t understand Lennot, why they bothered to bring him.  I don’t either.

It’s like, a higher power saved his life.  That’s the only conclusion I can come up with.  I don’t see him as much.  They make him working in the house all day, cleaning and serving them food.  The only time we can talk is at night when we’re locked in the barn cages.  He told me some time ago that he’d asked for my release, that he would take my work load on top of his.  They laughed at him of course.  I would have too, if I wasn’t so angry.  I told him I would never leave him behind, ever.  That’s not what you do in the military.  No one gets left behind...  

But, Lennot is sick now, and I don’t know what I’m going to do if he dies and they cart his body off someplace, like his life never mattered.

I hear him cough all night long.  I know it’s in his chest and going into his lungs.  He’s weak, needs more food, water, and some medicine too, but I doubt they care.  I think they’re waiting for him to die.  For some reason they’re a little more humane here.  Meaning, whoever bought us didn’t want to see Lennot shot in the head.  I doubt they paid for him.  I think they just overpaid for me a little bit.  It shows.  My hands are blistered and bloody every night when I come back from the field.  I think they’re getting their investment back, considering when they sell the Opium, they get an obscene amount of money for it.

As for me, I barely sleep anymore.  The moment my eyes closed my dreams are plagued with the painful memories of the last six years.  I can feel them whipping me in my sleep, and it makes me jolt awake, crying.  It’s easier to just lie awake in the comfort of the hay, filling my mind with positivity until day break.  I don’t know how I manage to get through my days anymore.  Lennot says I have a strong will to survive and that’s why.

I think it’s a crock.

Lately, I’ve been trying to think of a way to make them slit my throat.

I think of Abbey as I sit here, wide awake at night.  I think about the first time I ever kissed her, the first place I ever took her out on a date...burgers and shakes...the movies.  I think about the first time we made love, and I think about the way she looked at me the last time I ever saw her.  She wore a blue and white floral dress, her shoulders covered by a white cardigan.  She had a pair of those silly flip flops on too. The kind with the jewels plastered along the strappy things that attached them to her feet.

She always hated heels.  Said they hurt her feet.

I was never a real formal guy anyway.  She never needed heels when I was around.

I wonder if the rich guy she found makes her wear heels.

She’d never conform though.  She’s strong, independent, her own person through and through.

God, I miss her.

I try to remember her exact smell.  Baby powder and fresh linens...that it.  That’s what she always smelled like.  She was never one to wear fancy perfumes or use fruity smelling body wash.  That was great because I’m not a huge fan of potent aromas.  I think they take away the natural elegance of a woman.  Abbey...she had a peaceful smell, an inviting one.  It made me want to crawl inside of her forever and never come back out again.

I wrap my arms around my knees, close my eyes, try to envision her here with me, wrapped in my arms.

“It’s okay Braeden.”  She flashes me her soft, gentle smile, and reaches up to touch my face.  “You’re going to be okay.  You can pull through this.  I want you to come home to me.”

“I love you,” I whimper.  “Abbey, I love you.”

“I know, baby.”

She disappears.  My eyes snap open again.  I reach up to wipe the tears away, listen to the sound of Lennot hacking in the cell next door.  It’s really bad tonight.  He’s getting worse, running out of time.  I can’t let him die.  Not now.  We’ve survived worse, we have.  He’s my brother.  I have to protect him.  “Holtoy,” I whisper.  

I hear him snore, and mutter something.

“Holtoy.”

Lennot coughs even more harshly.  I cringe.  “Holtoy!”  I yell it.  I know it’s risky.  I don’t know how they are about that sort of thing yet, but fuck, I have to try to help Lennot.

“Wha...Sampson?”

“We need to talk,” I whisper.

“Talk to me in the field.”  I hear him shifting around, as if he’s getting back to sleep.

“No,” I persist.  “Now.”

“What could you possibly need right now?” He seethes.  “I can’t walk through iron bars to cuddle with you.”

I crawl up to the door, and place my hands around the bars, peering across the way so I can make out Holtoy in the darkness.  “Have you been listening to Lennot?”

“Yeah, he’s sick.  So?”

“We have to get him out of here.”

“That’s your dream, not mine.”

I sigh harshly.  “I’m serious.”

“They have guns.  We don’t.  That means I’ll be forgetting this conversation and falling back to sleep.”

He’s such an asshole, locked up and all.  I know...it’s probably some kind of psychological defense mechanism he’s conjured up to survive, but I just don’t care right now.  “Do you really want to spend the rest of your life picking apart Opium plants?” I persist.

“It beats dying.”

“We can get out of here,” I tell him.  “You’re smart, and so am I.”r32;r32;“If you’re so damn smart, why are you here?” He mutters.  “You should have figured a way out of this when you were being transported.”

“You know it’s not that easy,” I tell him.  “C’mon, Holtoy.  Help me.”

“Forget it,” he grits.  “I’m not getting caught in a death trap for your friends sake.”

“It’s not a death trap...”

“Leave me alone, Braeden,” he says sadly.

I know he means it, so I back away from the bars and crawl back into my corner again.  I’m alone in my fight, but I can’t give up, even if he’s not going to support me.  I want to get home too.  I...I promised Abbey.  I can’t break my promise.  I have to fight.  I have to.  I know if Lennot was well, it’s what he would tell me.  He’d tell me to take a stand this morning, fight back, get a gun, get us out.  

I think I have more of a chance in this place.  They won’t expect it.  They think I’ve conformed to their way of life, and that Lennot is too weak to try and fight back.  But I’ll be ready today.  When they come for me, I won’t go willingly.  Not at all.

I stay in my corner for hours, my eyes wide, waiting...just waiting for my chance.  Lennot coughs, gasps for a breath.  It only makes me want freedom more.  Then the sunlight begins to seep into the tiny window in the back of my caged off room.  I know they’ll be here any moment, ready to put us all to work like any other day.  

I brace myself as the barn doors are opened.  I take even breaths, in and out, out and in, preparing myself.  

They go right to Lennot.  He’s still coughing.  They whisper to each other so I can’t hear what they’re saying.  I don’t hear them opening his door.  It means they’re going to leave him in his cell for the day.  Good.  I’ll get him out later.  Next is Holtoy.  They open his door and he crawls out of his cell willingly, stealing a small, annoyed glance in my direction as he eats his crust of bread.  

Then it’s me.  

There are two guards that come to get us every morning.  One is short and fat, and the other one is slightly taller, slim, but muscular, and they both carry military grade guns over their shoulders.  They’ve never raised them to us.  They like to use their whips instead.  It makes me wonder if they would even know what to do with one if they needed to use it.  Normally, I wouldn’t be so bold to play around with the idea, but I’m just so fired up right now...so fucking ready to get out of here and go home before I end up lost for ten years instead of nearly seven.  

“Let’s go,” the short, fat one says in Arabic, as he puts the key in the lock and turns it.  I slowly approach the opening, as if I’m groggy as hell, before climbing out into the open.

Lennot coughs.

He hands me my bread.  I go to take it.

Then I punch him in the face and kick him in the nuts.  He falls to his knees.  His partner is baffled for a moment.  My eyes float to Holtoy.  Something seems to click inside of him immediately.  Half a second later he’s doing the same thing to the other guy.  It surprises me so much that I can hardly get my bearings.

“Sampson!” He yells, continuing to struggle with our friend.  He’s not as weak as his partner, won’t go down so easily.

I kick the fat one in the head, ensuring he won’t be waking up anytime soon, and grab his gun.  The whole process takes about five seconds, and then I’m pressing the gun into the side of the skinny bastards head, wanting to blow it off for all the fucking torture he’s put me through so far.  He likes to whip me more than the other one.  I feel my finger on the trigger, squeezing it.

I pull it.

“Jesus Christ!” Holtoy yells, letting go of the guy as he falls over.  His blood is everywhere, on me, on Holtoy.

I smile.

“What the hell, Sampson!” Holtoy screams at me.

“He deserved it,” I say, in a queer sort of voice.  

“Fuck...fuck...” He holds his head in his hands and walks in a circle.  “Just help me get the other one in the cage.”

I get his legs and Holtoy gets the chubby bastards neck and we toss him into my cell, making sure to lock him inside.  

“Did you ever stop to think about how many more insurgents there are in the big house?” Holtoy seethes.  “You...you don’t think do you?  I told you not to fuck around!  They’ll hang us by our dicks until they break off!”

“I don’t want to...FUCKING. DIE!” I point at my chest angrily and whimper slightly.  “I want to go the fuck home!”

It’s silent.  We’re standing across from each other, newly won guns in our arms, glaring at each other.  We shouldn’t be.  We should be canvasing the area, recollecting our military training the best we can so we can get to safety.  But Holtoy hates me.  I’ve ruined his perfect little world of Opium seed picking and playing prisoner to these sick bastards.  “They stole your freedom too,” I finally say.  “Don’t you want to go home?”

He hangs his head low.  “I don’t know...I don’t know anything else but this.  I’m good at this.  I can survive it.”

He’s just as fucked up as I am.  “C’mon,” I whisper.  “Just...help me, and we’ll be okay.  We don’t have to do this anymore.”

He looks back up at me moments later.  This time, his expression has changed.  For the first time since I’ve known him, I see hope in his eyes.  Like he really believes we can get out of this terrible country and go home.  “Do you really think we’ll get home,” he whispers.

“Yeah,” I nod.  “I do.”

He smirks.  “Then...I’m with you.”

We sneak out of the barn, cautiously.  I look around, and there is nobody else outside yet.  It’s too early for the bastards.  They’re still asleep in their plush king size beds, dreaming about the next Opium batch that will be getting picked.  Only, after today, they’ll never sell another batch.  “We have to go in there and kill them all,” I whisper back to him.  “That’s the only way out.  They’ll hunt us down otherwise.”

He presses his lips together for a moment.  “A-all right.”

He’s not as tough as he pretends to be.  He’s fucking scared.  I know I’ve sort of stepped up as leader.  It’s funny, because when it was just Lennot and I, he was always the one who had all the answers.  I’ve had to take his place because he’s too sick to help us, and I’ll hold my head up...do this for him and for Holtoy, so we can get the hell back to our lives.  

We creep across the grounds, and silently enter the home.  I slink along the walls, Holtoy right behind me, until we finally reach the stairs.  Confident there is nobody on the lower level, we head up to the second floor.  There are several bedrooms, all with their doors open part way.  One room has three men sleeping in cots, another has a man and woman sleeping soundly together, and...and the next one...

The next one has two children sleeping in it.  I stare at them.  I never counted on it, because I never saw them before.  Then again, I’ve never seen that man and his wife either.  I realize he’s probably the one who put up the money for Lennot, Holtoy, and I.  He’s an evil son of a bitch, and he’s teaching his children that it’s okay to treat a human being like a dog.

But I can’t kill one kid, let alone two of them.

My plan is failing.

“Sampson,” Holtoy hisses, nearly inaudibly.  

I motion him to look in the bedroom.  The hope on his face fades into nothing. I can tell he wasn’t counting on the kids being here either.  I consider shooting up everybody else, but then...those kids will be orphans.

I don’t know what to do.

And then...

Holtoy shoots them both, without a thought.  They don’t even have time to react.  They’re dead before they know what’s happened.  I don’t have time to think about how horrible it is, seeing them there in bed covered in their own blood.  I know my next move has to be shooting into the other two bedrooms before we both get killed.  I do it.  It takes ten minutes more, with Holtoy’s help.

Then...silence.

I sink down to the floor, and drop the gun at my side.  It’s over.  We can leave, get Lennot, and try to find help.  But I can’t...I can’t get it out of my head.  Kids.  We just killed two little kids asleep in their bed.

“Braeden.”

I can’t stop crying.

“Braeden come on.”

He’s tugging on my arm.  I tug away harshly.  “Why the...fuck...did you do that!” I scream.

“It had to be done.” He states, robotically.  “If we didn’t do it, the Taliban would have when they came to clean this mess up.”

“No,” I whimper.  “No!”

“Lets go!” He yells.  “Come on!”

I barely hear him.  All I can focus on is those kids.  It’s my fault they’re dead.  I pick up the gun, put its mouth under my chin...

“Braeden.”  

Abbey is standing there now, her hands on her hips.  “Braeden Alexander Sampson! Get that gun away from your face!”

I listen.  

“You’ve lost it,” Holtoy tells me, as he yanks the gun away from me, and slings it over his shoulder.  “Get it together.” He slaps my face a little bit.  “Come on, man.”

He’s reaching out for my hand, and this time...this time I take it.  I suddenly remember that I made a promise to my Abbey.  I can’t break it, no matter who is dead.  I didn’t pull the trigger. I walked away...

The death of those little kids shouldn’t be blamed on me.

We race back to the barn, and get Lennot out of his cage with the keys that were on the skinny guys body.  The short fat guard is awake now, screaming at us in Arabic to let him out.  Holtoy shoots him dead before I can stop him.  I can’t deny that the guy has gone just as crazy as I have...probably more, since he had it in him to kill two kids.  I can’t even look at him.  All I can do is drape Lennot’s arm over my shoulder, and walk him out of the barn.  He’s coughing, and weak, half asleep.

I don’t know how we’re supposed to get him out of here.  We need a truck, but there is no truck in sight.  

“Leave me here.”

Lennot’s voice is raspy and weak, and his body begins to give out.  I have to sink down to the ground with him, and prop him up against the barn.  “No.  We...we did it,” I cry.  “They’re dead.”

“All of them?”

He looks into my eyes and I know what he means.  “All of them,” I whisper.

He nods.  “I’m too sick to go on,” he tells me.  “Get yourself and Holtoy out.”

“I’m not leaving you,” I whimper.  “Not now.”

“You have to,” he tells me, his voice full of regret.  “I’ll slow you down, and there might be more insurgents around...” He trails off and coughs harshly for several moments.  

“James,” I say tenderly.

“Go home to your family,” he whispers.  “You’re a fighter, Sampson.  You’ve always been one.  I know you’ll make it.”

The fact that he might be dying hits me hard.  I fall back against the barn.  No.  Too much has happened.  Two kids are dead for a senseless reason, and Lennot doesn’t deserve to die too.  “I’ll carry you,” I sob.  “Holtoy can help.  We’ll get you out...”

“No.” He rasps.  “You won’t.”

“Come on.”  I force myself to get up and pull on his hand.  “Come on and get up!”

He falls over on his side, coughing so hard that it starts to sound like a rattle.  I see the blood coming out of his mouth next.  Then he starts gasping again.  “Get me some water, Holtoy!” I scream.

He doesn’t even answer me.

“Holtoy!” I whirl around.  He’s standing there, staring, like he knows what’s happening.  “Don’t just stand there!”

He shakes his head.  “He’s dying.”

“Braeden,” Lennot croaks.


r32;I kneel back down beside him, and pull his body up so he can rest against me.  He reaches out for my hand, and I sob harder as I take it.  

“Make...make sure you tell my family...that...that I love them,” he whispers.  

“You’re going to tell them,” I whimper.  “You’re going home.”

He struggles for another breath.  “Tell...them.”

“I...I will,” I say, my voice trembling.  “I promise.”

His eyes close after that.  He stops coughing moments later, and then...his body is still.  

No...

I frantically put my fingers to his neck and feel for a pulse.

Nothing.

“No.” I whimper.  “No...”  I sob and lean down into his chest, crying harshly into it.  I feel a consoling hand on my shoulder seconds later, and I know it’s Holtoy.  

“We’ll send them back for his body,” he whispers.

I just cry.  I cry forever, and Holtoy lets me.  Then, when I finally get a little control over myself, he helps me to my feet.  We don’t talk as we walk away from Lennots body, and I can’t look anywhere else than the dirt covered ground as we walk.  We reach a fence, the gate to this compound that has to be climbed.  Holtoy finds some rope, and we help each over to the other side.

I pause for a moment.  Despite the fact that my head is fogged up with all kinds of sick shit, I can’t deny that I know...I know I’m free.  Free...after nearly seven years of slavery.

“You gonna shoot yourself in the face if I give this back to you?”

I turn to Holtoy, the only other person in this world I can trust right now.  He’s handing me my gun back.  The gun that just took the lives of all those people.  “No,” I say softly.

He hands it to me and I sling it over my shoulder.  “North,” he tells me.  “I found two canteens in the house.  That’s our water supply until we find help.”

I nod, and follow him.

We walk for hours.  It’s a lonely, desolate road, and I know these people intended to be in the middle of nowhere growing their Opium.  I start to wonder if it was worth it, escaping, killing those kids.  The image of them keeps replaying itself over and over in my mind.  The blood and their bodies are so real...I have to stop walking, and start crying into my hands again, overcome with emotion because of it all.

“Here.”

Holtoy hands me a capful of water.  I take it, drink it, and hand it back to him with a trembling hand.

“We have to keep going.”

I nod.  I know.  I know we do, and I have to live so we can go back for Lennots body...so I can tell his family what happened to him.  I promised.

Just like I promised Abbey I was coming home.

I think of her, and only her, as I force myself to start walking again.  I start to wonder what she’s doing, how she’ll react when she finds out I’m alive.  If we’ll be able to be the same couple we used to be.  But I know Abbey.  I know how strong she is and how she can overcome this whole thing.  

We’ll get married.

We’ll move on with our lives and build a family.

“Shit, get down.”

I hear it too.  A car motor rumbling in the distance.  Holtoy pulls me to the side of the road with him, and draws his gun.  I do the same.  It gets closer, closer...then it’s right there in front of us.  It’s green, a Humvee.  I see men in camouflage.  One is sticking out of the top of the Humvee, looking through binoculars, as two others sit inside the vehicle.  I would recognize them anywhere. They are Army Reserves.

Americans.

“Hey!” Holtoy runs out as the truck passes us and waves his gun side to side.  

I run out from my spot at the side of the road and do the same thing, desperate for them to notice us.  “HEY!”

It stops.

God, God...is this it...

Is this really it?

“Don’t move!” The solider sticking out of the top of the Humvee immediately draws his rifle, and points it at the two of us.  “Place your weapons on the ground and put your hands on your head!”

We don’t protest.  We do exactly as we’re told so we don’t wind up dead.  The three soldiers get out of the Humvee next, and approach us cautiously.  I close my eyes...I know after this has all been sorted out we’ll be okay.  We’re safe.  We’re going home.

I’m coming home, Abbey.  The tears glide down my face as the reality starts to hit me like a ton of bricks.

I’m coming home.

Thirty Seven by ialwayzbesingin

Unlike the majority of America, I don’t need to hit the lottery, but...spoiled ass me, I’ve done it anyway.  It’s not a financial lottery though, it’s a romantic one.  I’ve been given the most amazing woman in the world to share my time with, and spending a week alone with her literally sealed the deal for me.  She’s the only woman in the world that’s right for me, the only person that has ever made me feel this complete, this happy with myself.  

For the first time in my life, I look at myself in the mirror and like the man I’ve become.

We took in the sites of Paris at our own pace the rest of that week, strolling through the streets, spending an afternoon at the Louvre, and an evening at the opera, which to my surprise, Abbey really enjoyed.  I never viewed her as a classical music type, and was almost hesitant to take her that night after dinner, but I went with my gut because I wanted her to try something new.  That’s important to me...showing her the world.  It’s obvious to me that she hasn’t seen much of it.  She was never that privileged, not that it ever mattered to her.  Abbey lives for the moment, finds joy in the simplest things that would bore me to death.   It’s one of the things I love most about her.

On New Years eve I treated her to a private dinner at the top of the Eiffel Tower.  I saved that trip for the very last night we were there, because I knew it was what she wanted to do the most.  We had a seven course dinner with wine pairing, as we watched the fireworks shoot off over the Siene and counted down the minutes until the New Year started.  It was the perfect night.  She told me she didn’t want it to end.  

I didn’t want it to either.  I wanted to stay cooped up in my apartment with her for another week, forgetting all the responsibilities we had back in New York, but that was impossible.  The boys needed us, and I was needed back at work.  Unfortunately, our perfect week had to draw to a close...but not without one more night of passion.

We kissed long and hard at midnight.  There was so much that I said in that kiss, so much that I promised her.  I would be there for her, take care of her, and the boys. Make everybody happy, sacrifice my time and energy to ensure it.  Abbey was my family.  She was all I had in the world, and I held her closer to me, breathing in her faintly sweet scent, thanking God that she was really there...that she was really mine.  That I’d been given the chance to help her when she needed it to most, and that I allowed her to show me all the things I was missing in my life, before it was too late.  In a way, it was like we’d rescued each other.

I promised myself I would never let anything bring her down again.

“What’s your resolution,” she asked me softly as we laid in bed together several hours later.  

I laughed a little.  “I never make them.”

“Well start.” She nudged me.  “Everybody is allowed to have one resolution.”

I kissed her forehead and pulled her closer to my bare chest.  “To love you.”

“Sappy.”

“Hey,” I laughed.  

“You already love me,” she smiled.  “Pick something else.”

I sighed a little bit, but I knew she meant well.  “I guess...spend more time with the boys.”

She started to kiss my chest, gently.  “Good one,” she giggled.  “You know what mine is?”

I smirked. “To have this much sex all the time?”

“You could never be that lucky,” she laughed.

I scowled.  “You’re evil.”

“No, but...seriously.”  She cuddle up with to again, and I put my arms around her slender, naked body before kissing her neck a little bit.  “I want to do something...I don’t know..I mean, I love spending my days with the boys, but sometimes I wish I could be doing something more.”

I understood completely.  After all, she’d originally come to me looking for a marketing job, and I tended to forget that she was an educated person.  She wasn’t meant to be stuck in my house, or to go shopping all day. She had a brain and wanted to use it.  “Maybe you could take some classes,” I suggested.  “It might be fun.”

She looked into my eyes and smiled.  “You wouldn’t mind?”

“I want you to be happy,” I said softly as I kissed her.  “You can have whatever you want. Think about what you’d like to do, and let me know the details.  I’ll take care of the rest.”

“How’d I’d get such a good guy?” She smiled and rubbed my bare chest with her hand before sighing happily and closing her eyes.  “I love you.”

She was completely content.  It was all I could have asked for.  “I love you too.”

In the blink of an eye we were back in the city, back to our regular routines.  The boys had a great time at Dennis’ house while we were gone.  They went sleigh riding, played laser tag a couple of times, and horsed around in the back yard.  His wife was really happy with how everything turned out, even told me to bring them by anytime they wanted to play with her kids.  It was genuine, not something Dennis had told her to say to kiss my ass.  If anything, it made me respect the guy that much more.  It’s been working out well, Dennis being made partner.  Everybody already respected him, and they love working for him even more.  We seem to click in all the right places, like Trace and I used to.  When I call him with something, half the time he’s already on top of it, or was just about to be.  It gives me peace of mind.  I don’t really have to worry, just do my thing like always.  Business, for once, isn’t as overbearing.  I have a life now.

Speaking of Trace, I haven’t talked to him since that day at the playground.

Oh yeah, and I couldn’t give a shit, either.

The only thing I really have to work on now, is my relationship with my brothers.  It’s more Austin than Davey.  Davey is too easy, and now that he’s in school, he’s more preoccupied than ever.  I kept Francine on, because Abbey wouldn’t allow me to let her go.  I consider her more of a tutor than anything, and she comes to the house every other day to work with Davey on the things he’s been learning in school.  It’s a good thing...

It’s been giving Austin and I time together that we never had before.  

After a long discussion with Abbey on how I could make myself more available for Austin, we both agreed that Friday afternoons were best.  I could leave work early, pick him up from school and go do something with him. It was weird, agreeing to it.  I never left work early, and I told her that sometimes I might get stuck at the office.  Abbey understood all that though, she told me she just wanted me to make the effort, and if something came up once in a while, Austin would have to understand.  It’s been working out, surprisingly.  I didn’t think I’d be able to sneak out of the office so easily, but Dennis has practically been pushing me out the door every Friday afternoon.

Call me crazy, but I think Abbey got to him.  I wouldn’t put it past her.

We’ve been going to the gun range.  There’s a nice one out on Long Island near Dennis’ place, and we take the railroad there most Friday afternoons.  He’s been so anxious to learn how to use to rifle I got him for Christmas that I haven’t had the heart to tell him no.  He’s really enjoying learning how to use it properly.  It’s one of the only things I’ve ever seen him take extra time and effort to get right, and I know, deep down, it’s the only thing he has in his life that reminds him of Memphis.  

I guess...I guess it reminds me of Memphis too, and I take pride in being the one to teach him the things about the gun that my father taught me.  My father didn’t know much, but he knew guns, and teaching Austin these things will preserve his memory.  It’s the least I can do to pay tribute to the man that gave me life, even if we didn’t have much of a relationship.  There was a posting about a father son shoot off on the bulletin board at the gun range.  Austin practically begged me to take him.  I was a little taken back.  I never thought he...he would ever look up to me that way, like a father.  I never thought being there for him like this would matter so much.

But it does.

We’ve been practicing a couple of extra nights a week to prepare for it.  I take him to dinner afterwards and we talk.  We talk about everything.  School, the things he likes to do, the friends he’s made in his class.  He’s taken a real interest in theater.  His teacher told him she wants him to play the lead in their spring musical, and he’s really excited about it.  It’s a little strange to me, him being all theatrical.  I don’t have a clue where he gets it from.  Nobody in our family was musical, at least I’m pretty sure.  I mean, Momma used to sing to me when I was a little kid...maybe she was better at it than I thought.  I’m encouraging him though.  He taking voice lessons now, and piano too.  I invested in a piano, and the teachers come to work with him after school at the house a couple of times a week.  Those classes have seem to calm him down a little more.  He’s not as restless now.  Abbey says it’s because his mind is more stimulated.

Whatever works, I guess.

I’ve set apart special time for Davey too.  Most Sunday afternoons we go for a walk and get ice cream, just us.  He talks a lot more than he used to, mostly about his teacher and the things he does in class.  I don’t really care what the subject is though, I’m just glad he’s talking.  I think he’s going to be normal in a few years...find out who he really is and what he wants to do, and I’ll be here to support him, just like I support Austin.  I think he knows that.  I think he knows that I’d do anything to keep him happy, and right now, the most important thing is for him to enjoy his childhood while he still can.

Austin has a birthday coming up at the end of next month.  I know he wants to go to Disney.  It’s been a lot for me to think about.  I’m not really into that ‘magic and memories’ type of vacation.  I’d much rather take us to a warm island and lay on the beach with Abbey in her bikini while the kids play in the water.  But Austin keeps dropping hints whenever he can, like, ‘in Disney they have...’ and ‘Oh I heard you can do that in Disney.’  Abbey is even in on it.  She keeps asking me what we should do for Austin’s birthday.  The one time I told her we could take him to Great Adventure she sort of frowned, like it wasn’t good enough.  “There’s not enough things for Davey to do,” was her answer.  “Disney is a better option, don’t you think?”

I knew I was stuck, so I gave in, even though I said I would ‘think about it’.

I booked the trip three days ago.  Ten days at the most magical place on earth.  We’re staying at this place called the Grand Floridian.  The woman on the phone was really nice, and told me that it was the best hotel on their grounds.  “Yeah,” I said.  “I’ll take that and the best of whatever it is that you people do down there.  I need to entertain two kids for ten days, and get some time in with my girlfriend.  Can you put that in your computer?”  

The woman laughed at me, and began to put together my package for me right there on the phone.  

At twenty grand, it's a steal.  

I’m praying I can survive it.  I told Dennis my plans.  He smiled and got this excited gleam in his eyes because he loves to take his family there.  He’s been giving me all kinds of literature about the place, even told me that the package I booked included a VIP guide so we wont have to wait in line or plan anything ourselves.  Yeah, I’m definitely looking forward to doing nothing.  I haven’t told the boys yet.  Not even Abbey.  I want it to be a surprise for them.  Abbey acts like she only wants to go for the boys, but I know her...I know she’s all hot for Mickey Mouse.  I think I’ll do okay.  My family will make it special for me.  It’ll bring us closer together, and I know that’s the most important thing.

Hell, by the end of it, I may actually become a big cheesy sap after all.  All those characters and magical moments just might bring a tear to my eye...

Yeah, right.

“Did you guys have fun at the range today?” Abbey smiles as she passes me the bowl of mashed potatoes.  

“Justin says we’re going to give those guys a run for their money,” Austin smiles.  

That’s my boy.  

“Oh yeah?” Abbey raises an eyebrow at me, not thrilled at my choice of wording with my impressionable twelve year old brother.  “I certainly hope you’re going to be careful, Austin.  Don’t shoot anybody.”

“I won’t,” he mutters and leans his chin on his hand.

“Ab,” I laugh.  I know she’s still not big on this gun thing, but what can I do? The kid wanted one, and we’re having fun together.  “It’s completely safe.  Everybody wears bulletproof vests.”

She sighs.  “I know, I know,” she chuckles softly.  “I just wish you two could have taken up like...fly fishing or something.”

Austin and I exchange glances, and put our fingers in our mouths before smiling at one another.

“When can I learn to shoot the gun? Davey asks me.

Silence falls over the table for a moment.  I hate to have to tell him the truth, but I know if promise him that we’ll go next weekend or something, Abbey will probably punch me in the balls later tonight.  “In a few years, buddy,” I promise him as I finish plopping the potatoes on my plate and pass the bowl on to Austin.  “You’re still a little too young.”

“Oh.” He looks down at the table sadly.

I look to Abbey for an answer.  I hate breaking the kids heart like that.  

“Maybe we can go watch them, Dave.”  She smiles a little and puts a hand on his shoulder.  “You’d like that, right? We can cheer for them.”

I perk up slightly.  It shocks the hell out of me that she would want to be anywhere near the gun range.  “Seriously?” I ask her.

She looks over at me and rolls her eyes a little bit.  “Do I have a choice?”

I snicker a little.  “Not really.”

“Yeah, I want to you come!” Austin exclaims.  

“Then we’ll be there,” she says, forcing a smile for him.

Well, that’s settled.

We get off the subject after that, Abbey not hesitating to give me a look that tells me what we’ll be discussing in bed later on tonight.  It’s fine.  I know I can reassure her that nobody is going to get their heads blown off.  In fact, I think getting her around the sport will do her some good.  She might even take to it once she realizes it’s not as dangerous as she’s made it out to be.  Maybe I can teach her how to shoot a gun.

That would be sexy as hell.

We finish our pot roast dinner, and Lucinda brings out dessert.  Cake and ice cream, which the boys begin to devour as soon as it’s place in front of them.  I’m just about to take a bite into my own, before the phone begins to ring.  It makes me curious.  It’s the landline, and that almost never rings.  It’s always my cell that’s going off.  Abbey has one too.  Usually, her friends call her to invite her out shopping or to do something with the boys, but never at dinner time.  I shrug a little.  “I’ll get it,” I say, as I get up from the table, and walk into the living room to pick it up.  “Hello?”

“Is...this is Justin, right?”

I don’t recognize the voice.  “Yeah, who’s this?”

“This is Barbara Sampson.”

My heart skips a beat.  My first question is, why the hell is this woman calling?  My second one is, how the hell did she get this number?  “Oh...yeah, I remember,” I say softly, and glance back at Abbey over my shoulder.  She’s smiling and laughing with the boys about something that I’d really like to get back to.  

“I’m sorry to call you like this,” she speaks up in a soft voice.  “I got your number from your secretary.  We didn’t have a way to get in touch with Abbey.  Her number has changed so many times.”

“Is everything okay?” I state, bluntly.  I hate to be so cold, but she was never nice to me, and she made Abbey feel like a piece of shit in her own home.

“I’d...I’d like to speak with Abbey if that’s possible,” she says.

“Yeah...just a sec...” I trail off and pull the phone away from my ear, not saying anything for several moments.  The only thing running through my mind, is that she made an extreme effort to get in touch with her.  That tells me that she has something important to say to Abbey...but what is it, and...

Do I want to find out?

“Who is it, baby?”

Abbey is looking back at me know, the curiosity filling her expression.  

“It’s...it’s for you,” I croak.  “It’s Barbara Sampson.”


r32;Her eyes get a little bit wider, and her fork clatters down onto her plate.  “Why?”

I shake my head.  “I...I don’t know.”

She bites her lip as she slides herself out from the table, and slowly walks over to me.  The fear in her expression is apparent now.  She’s as clueless as I am about this phone call, and a big part of me is hoping she’ll tell me to hang up, to leave that part of her life alone forever.  But then...she takes it from me, and I stand back.

“Barbara,” she says gently, keeping her gaze fixed on me.  “Yes...okay, okay slow down.  Why are you crying?  What? When? Oh...oh my god...”

She trails off and clamps a hand over her mouth, before starting to sob.  I have to race over to her and catch her, as she begins to fall to the floor.  

I can only think of one thing that could possibly effect her this much.  One thing that seemed completely impossible.  I pray it’s not the case.  I pray that...they just found a body, as horrible as that is.

“Washington,” she whimpers into the phone.  “Yes, Tuesday.  Okay.”

She hangs up.

“Abbey why are you crying?”


Davey is standing over us, as we sit on the floor together.  She’s sobbing into my lap and I’m stroking the top of her head gently.  I won’t ask what’s wrong.  I can’t.  I can’t face the truth, not now.  We’re...we’re so happy.  We are. I love her, she loves me, and...and this can’t happen now.  It can’t....

“Braeden is alive.”  She whispers to me, finally.  “He’s coming home.”

I swallow hard as I gaze back at her.  I can’t say anything.  I have no fucking clue what the right words are.  “Austin, take Davey inside,” I tell him as he comes up behind his brother.

“But what’s...”

“Go!” I yell at him.

His eyes get wide, and he whimpers a little bit as he pulls Davey away with him by the hand.

The room is filled with uncomfortable silence now that we’ve been left alone together.  I wait for her to tell me details, to tell me something that will make this all go away.  But she doesn’t.  She just sits there and sobs while I hold her against me.  “Are they sure?”

“She talked to him yesterday.  He’s being flown into DC on Tuesday.  I...I don’t know what I’m supposed to do.  They’re expecting me to be there.”

She looks up at me, with so many questions in her eyes.  She wants me to give her the right answer, but fuck, fuck...I don’t know what the answer is.  The better part of me is telling me to let her go.  That she needs to go.  But if she does...if she does...

If she does that, what happens?  What happens when she leaves me for him?

“You need to go,” I hear myself say the words, and I have no idea what possessed me to do it.  “You know that, and so do I.”

She squeezes my hand, so hard, as if she’s trying to hold onto me, to the relationship we have, and to the boys too.  “But..”

“Abbey.”  I push her chin up so she’ll have to look at me again, and shake my head a little, feeling the tears welling up behind my eyes.  “You have to go.”

I think it’s the bravest thing I’ve ever done, giving her my blessing.  It’s because I love her.  I love her so much that I can’t bare to bring her grief at this moment.  There’s too many emotions behind this.  She’s probably more confused now than she’s ever been, and I need to be a man about it.  I need to support her...

Support her and pray to god that she comes back to me.

“Maybe you and the boys can come...”

I shake my head. She already knew that answer.  We’re not a part of this, and I for one, would feel extremely awkward meeting the guy after everything Abbey and I have done together.  “You know we can’t.”

She just nods.  “I’m...I’m so sorry...” She cries.

“Hey.”  I force her to look at me.  ‘I...I love you.  You need to do this but...but what we have is special, you know? We’ll be okay.  I know we’ll be okay.”

I can feel the tears on my face, but this time, I don’t feel ashamed.  She wraps her arms around me after that, and I hug her so tight, like I never want to let her go.

“It’s just a couple of days,” she begins to explain.

“Please don’t think about that,” I whisper as I rub her back.  “Just do what you have to do.  I’ll be here waiting when you get back.”

“Okay,” she sobs.  “Okay.”

I eventually get her to calm down and come sit back at the table with me.  Lucinda clears the table for us, and doesn’t ask any questions.  She makes Abbey some warm milk though, and I thank her with a small smile as she leaves us.  I make Abbey drink it, hoping it will make her feel a little bit better, before helping her up to our bedroom.  She’s still sobbing.  I help her change into her pajamas, kissing all the spots on her body that she loves as I do it, before helping her get into bed with me.  I pull her close to me, and just hold her as she trembles and cries herself to sleep.  It’s all I can do.  I know that there’s nothing I can say that will ease her confusion about this.  I can only imagine how she feels.  If I were in her shoes, I have no idea what I’d be thinking.  It scares me.  

It scares me so much, because I realize I love her more than anything in this world, and even with all my wealth and power, I can’t change this.  I can’t change the past, I can’t change the fact that she was with him for years and about to marry him before he vanished.  

It’s the first time I realize that my money can’t buy me everything.

The only thing I can do right now is have hope.  The hope and belief that we’re really meant to be together.  I feel the tears on my face again, and I know how much it’s going to affect me when she’s away.  I’ll be up nights, worried sick that I’m going to lose her, only...she can’t know that.  She’s the one that needs the emotional support right now, not me.  So I’ll be strong, I’ll be brave and let her go.

Let her go because I love her more than I love myself.

Thirty Eight by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:

Thank you all so much for the support! I really appreciate it, and I've worked hard to get this chapter out for you all! Enjoy!  In case you are all wondering what Braeden looks like, my muse is Will Estes.

Photobucket

 

 

I’ve been numb for days.

That said, I think I did an excellent job of putting on a happy face for my boys.  They don’t know anything about this...about Braeden.  Justin told them I’m taking a trip to see my family for a few days, and they’ve been fine with that.  The most Austin told me was that he wants me to bring him back a souvenir, and it was really hard holding my emotions back from him as I promised him I would and kissed the top of his head. I tried the hardest I could not to seem confused, distant, or unhappy while they were around.  Barbara’s call came on Friday, and it took all the stamina I had in left in me over the weekend to keep my head.  Austin and Justin still went to their shooting competition, and even though Justin told me I didn’t have to, I made the effort and went to watch with Davey.  I knew it was important for the boys to still see us like a family, and I wasn’t going to let them down.  I put on an act I guess.  It was the first time ever that I hadn’t been completely genuine around them.

I felt fucking horrible about it, and I still do.

Justin was withdrawn over the weekend.  We barely talked, and weren’t physical with each other except for the occasional kiss or hand hold.  We put our efforts into keeping the boys happy, giving each other the occasional uncertain glance whenever they were distracted enough. I knew he wasn’t angry, though.  He made it clear to me the morning after I’d gotten the call that he wasn’t, and he never would be.  He kept saying it was something I had do.  I had to go see Braeden.  I had to shut our relationship and the boys out of my life until I got back.  

While a huge part of me knew I had to go, that I couldn’t desert Braeden after almost seven years of being told he was dead, the other part of me wanted to stay.  Wanted to stay home, wrapped in Justin’s arms so he could shield me from all of it.  Shield me from my pushy family, from the possibility that I would see Braeden for the first time in years and completely forget about the love Justin and I had built together.  I didn’t want to forget him.  I was in love with him.  Everything had been so...perfect.  Our relationship had blossomed, both of our lives had changed for the better.  Justin was a better, more caring person in general, and living in fear of growing close to somebody else was no longer a burden in my life.  We had a semi perfect holiday season and wonderful week in Paris that made our relationship so strong that nothing about my past seemed to matter.

I’d moved on, completely.

Then Barbara called, and my world was shattered, for the second time in my life.

Of course I’m happy.  Of course I am.  Braeden is alive and that in itself is a miracle.  I don’t know what he was put through, where he was kept, or what he was made to do while he was gone.  Barbara couldn’t give me that many details.  She was barely able to tell me the basic news without becoming hysterical, so I decided not to ask questions until I saw her.  I keep imagining how he’s going to be...I’ve dreamed about it, what he’s going to look like, and what he’s going to say.  Part of me thinks he’s going to be so far gone that he won’t even remember me.  The other part of me knows that he’s so strong that he’ll mostly be like the man I remember...

That he’ll love me even more now.  That he’s going to do everything he has to do to win me over again, the moment he finds out I’m with someone else.

I’d like to say it’s going to be hard for him to do it, but I’d be lying.  Braeden has always been able to get deep down inside me, from the first day he asked me out for burgers and fries.  He’s always known what buttons to push to get me frustrated, what buttons to push to make me forgive him, and what buttons to push to make me melt inside.   It had always been such a genuine love with us, and I know...I know on his end, it still will be.

Do I still love him?

Yes.

But I love Justin too, in a different way.  One that I’ve never experienced before, and don’t want to give that up, even for Braeden, and I certainly don’t want to give the boys up either. That means I have a lot of things to think about, and in the end, it will come down to a choice.  I can’t just turn one of them away for the other.  I love them both too much to simply toss a coin.  

Needless to say, I have no fucking clue what I’m going to do.  But I do know, in the end of this...somebody is going to be unhappy, and that’s killing me inside.

I called Charlene early the next morning after Barbara’s phone call.  Justin had gone for a run and the boys were still in bed, so I figured it was the best time to face the situation at hand.  I didn’t expect her to want to talk to me.  We hadn’t been talking, and I hadn’t been the greatest friend, so I braced myself for the worst.

She picked up on the first ring.  “My mom called last night and told me what’s going on,” she said immediately.  “I wondered when you were going to call me.  What can I do?  Do you need anything?”

The fact that she was concerned, was the first thing that made me smile since Barbara had dropped the news on me.  “I thought you were...

“I’m sorry, Abbey,” she said, gently cutting me off.  “I just...I guess I didn’t understand how serious things were with you and Justin.  I’m not mad at you.  I could have went back home for Thanksgiving if it was that big of a deal to me.  I was being dumb.”

“I’m the one who’s at fault,” I said, beginning to sob a little.  “I’ve been a terrible friend.”

“You haven’t,” she said, seriously.  “I don’t want you to think like that right now.  There’s too many other things going on.”

I sucked in a breath, knowing she was right, and quickly changed the subject.  “Are you...are you going to DC?”

“Yeah of course, with you,” she told me.  “I have your ticket.  I figured you would be too much of an emotional mess to remember you needed to book a flight, so I called your parents and told them I’d take care of it.”

I didn’t have to question it.  She was, and would always be, my very best friend.

“How are you?” She asked me next.  

“I don’t really know,” I admitted, sorrowfully.  “I’ve been crying for twelve hours.”

“How’s Justin taking this?”

“He’s...”  I paused and sighed, running a hand through my messy hair.  “He’s supportive, I guess.  He wants me to go.  He said he’ll be waiting for me when I come back.”

She was silent for a few moments.  “He really loves you, huh?”

“Yeah,” I whispered, and tried not to break down over the phone.  “He does.  I’m worried about him. I know he’s taking it harder than he’s letting on, and the boys...I don’t want to hurt them either.  We haven’t told them what’s really going on or anything.  They probably wouldn’t understand anyway.”

“Abbey,” she said gently.  “You can’t focus on them right now, and I think Justin is trying to get you to see that.  He’s backing off and letting you handle this, that’s what it seems like to me anyway.  You need to face this, head first.  I mean, it’s Braeden.  Braeden is coming home.” I could hear her smiling and crying at the same time.  I couldn’t blame her.  He was one of her closest friends.  “I mean, I can’t fucking believe it.  He’s going to get an earful from me, you know that.”

I smiled through my tears and reached up to wipe them away.  “Yeah,” I laughed softly.  “He’ll forget he was ever gone.”

Her laughter died away.  “I hope so.”

Deep down, I knew she was just as scared of the potential dramatic change to Braeden’s personality as I was.  I couldn’t be more thankful that she would be by my side when we finally got to see him again.  She told me we would fly out Sunday night, since the rest of the family was getting on on Monday, and to spend the rest of the weekend getting my head together, before we ended the call.   I guess I should have called my parents, or at least my sister, but I just...I just didn’t want to.  I didn’t want to drive myself anymore crazy than I already was.

So I collapsed back into my pillows and threw the blanket over myself, until I heard the boys playfully yelling to each other downstairs.  I knew my day had started, and I wasn’t going to let it pass me by.  I wanted that time with them, and Justin too, if he would let me have it.  I found that Justin had returned from his run when I finally made my way downstairs.  He was seated at the kitchen island with the boys, eating the breakfast that Lucinda had prepared.  It was one of the only times he’d gotten them settled down on a Saturday morning without my assistance, and it told me something.   It told me that Justin was sending me a small message.  That he was capable of handling the boys if I was suddenly out of the picture.  Whether that message was a conscious one from him, I wasn’t sure.  

But it still gave me chills.  

Austin and Justin took second place in their competition that day, and while Austin was a little bit disgruntled about it, Justin, surprisingly enough, was completely happy with the turnout.  It was a world away from the Justin that attended his soccer game.  The one that was determined for him to win no matter what the cost.  He was just happy to have spent that time bonding with Austin.  I was proud of him, even if I couldn’t exactly show my feelings to him then.  We went to Serendipity afterwards to celebrate.  The boys, naturally, devoured their treat.

Justin and I barely touched ours.

When we got back to the house, Austin and Justin gloated over their trophy for a few minutes, before Justin announced that he had some work to catch up on in his study.  He left us then, and barely looked at me.  I hated it.  I hated what I was doing to us.  

I sent the boys off to play video games, and did the best I could to try and talk to Justin while we still had the time.

He was on the phone when I entered his study, and only slightly glanced up at me as I took a seat in front of his desk.  

“Hang on, Joe.”  He covered the mouthpiece with his hand, and finally met my gaze.  “Hey baby.  You need something? I’m on a call.”

His eyes were small, and tired.  In all honesty, I knew he hadn’t slept at all the night before, and was sick with worry.  “I thought we could talk.”

He forced a small smile.  “I’m...I’m just in the middle of something.  How about later?”

I knew later wouldn’t come, and so did he.  He wasn’t exactly avoiding me, but I knew he was in pain, and trying his damnedest to keep that from me.  “Sure.”  I nodded.
“Great.”  He didn’t say another word to me.  Just got right back on the phone.

My heart sank to the bottom of my stomach.  I made another attempt to talk to him that night, when he finally came to bed after midnight.  I think he assumed I would be out cold, and when he discovered that I wasn’t, I saw him tense up right away.  

“Hey,” I said gently.  “You okay?’

“I’m so tired,” he said, giving me a small kiss on the mouth as he pulled the covers over himself.  “That call went on forever.”

“Yeah.”

“What time is your flight tomorrow?” He whispered after several minutes of dead silence.

“Eight at night, I think.”

“I’ll take you,” he offered quietly.  “Lucinda can watch the boys.”

“I think Charlene was going to meet me here,” I explained, knowing his feelings about her.  “We were going to taxi it.”

“No, Quincy will drive.  I’ll go with you.  You should call and tell her we’ll pick her up.”

It occurred to me that he wanted to see me off, that he loved me.  That he was confused, scared, and in turn, that was making him a little less willing to get emotional with me.  I forced myself to understand.  I had to, because he’d sacrificed so much to understand my situation.  “Justin.”

I felt his hand touch mine in the darkness, and I immediately grabbed onto it.  I needed that physical comfort from him then, no matter how small.  

“I love you, Abbey,” he told me softly.  “Please don’t forget that.”

I drew closer to him and rested my head against his chest.  It took him a few moments to embrace me, but when he did, he held me so tight, as if he never wanted to let me go.  “I could never forget,” I said, feeling my emotions give way.  “I love you too.  So much.”

I felt his body trembling, and then I heard him sobbing.  He’d let go, he was finally allowing his true feelings about me leaving to shine though.  I let him, held him close, and ran my hand up and down his bare back.

“I don’t want to lose you,” he finally said.

“You...you won’t,” I whimpered back.

“You can’t know that.”

It was the truth, but I couldn’t say anything.  Nothing I could say would make things easier, or better, just worse, so I kept my mouth shut.

I let him cry himself to sleep, just like I’d cried myself to sleep the night before.

Then the sun was shining through the window, and I knew we only had a few more precious hours together, just the two of us, before our lives would completely change all over again.  He helped me pack a suitcase, and I made sure not to pick out any outfits that were too revealing.  I knew he trusted me completely, but still...I didn’t want to seem like I was out to impress Braeden with my looks or anything.  I was Justin’s.  We hadn’t broken up, and I had an obligation to come back to him without fucking things up more than they already were.  We took the boys to a little deli by the house afterwards, and listening to the two of them ramble on about the events in their lives helped us both I think.  It got our minds off what would be happening that night, and I think we needed that more than anything else.

Four o’clock came around, and I knew we had to get moving so Charlene and I could get through security on time.  I said goodbye to both of my boys, and I know they didn’t notice, but I hugged them and kissed harder and longer than I ever had before.  It hurt me to leave them behind, even if they weren’t worried about it.  Justin had to practically drag me out the door, so we wouldn’t be late picking up Charlene.

The car ride was mostly silent, especially after we picked Charlene up from her apartment.  They did greet each other, though.  Justin even gave her a little kiss on the cheek, and when she looked back into his eyes I could tell she thought a little more highly of him than she did originally.  Justin and I held hands for the duration of the car ride, and when Quincy pulled up to our terminal, he had Quincy handle our bags at curbside check in, while the three of us we went inside together.  Justin stood to the side while we checked ourselves in, and silently walked us to the security checkpoint.  The moment I saw the rope barriers, notifying the public that no one other than a ticketed passenger was allowed beyond that point, I knew...I knew it was time to say goodbye to him.

“I’ll meet you at the gate, Abbey,” Charlene told me with a knowing expression her face.  “It was nice seeing you,” she told Justin, and pulled him into a small hug.  

“Take care of her, huh?” he said quietly.

She winked at him.  “I’ll sure try,” she promised, before heading into the long line of people going through security.

Then we were alone.
“So...I...I should be back in a few days. Maybe by the weekend,” I said, as I looked down at my shoes.  “Just make sure Austin doesn’t skimp on his homework or anything, and don’t let Davey con you into letting him eat half the jar of cookies before dinner.”

“You know I wouldn’t,” he laughed softly, but it died away almost as soon as it started.

I looked into his eyes, and knew I was crying.  “I’m sorry.”

He shook his head.  “Nothin to be sorry for.”  He leaned down and kissed me gently at first, before it grew into something more powerful.  There was a longing in his kiss.  One that was begging me to please come back to him.  “I love you, okay?  Just...be careful.  DC isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.  I’ve taken enough business trips there to know. There’s all kinds of muggers and weirdos.  I put some mase in your suitcase.”

“You didn’t.” I laughed through my tears.  

“Yeah, I’m a loser,” he said, sniffing a little bit to hold his tears back.  “I made you a care pack too.  It’s in your carry on.”

I smiled a little brighter.  “Did you put fruit snacks in it?” I croaked.

“I just might have,” he laughed.  “C’mere.”

He hugged me one long, last time, and we kissed for a while, practically made out in that airport until I knew I had to leave or would miss boarding the plane.  “I love you,” I told him, as we began to pull away from each other.  

He smiled.  “Call me when you get in, promise?”

“I promise,” I whispered.

He watched me walk into the line of people, staring at me for a moment, before waving a little, and turning on his heel to walk away.  I saw him rubbing his eyes as he did, and knew he’d started to cry.  Then he was out the doors...gone.  When I turned back around, I couldn’t help but start to sob it all over again.

We landed in Washington a little after nine that night, and I was settled into bed around ten forty five.  Charlene and I had separate rooms, thankfully.  It’s not that I didn’t want to talk to her, but I knew I would have plenty of opportunities to do it over the next few days.  She told me she would come knocking the next morning so we could get ready for the rest of our family to arrive, and left me alone for the night.  I couldn’t get to sleep right away, so I made sure I called Justin to let him know I’d gotten to our hotel in one piece.  He kept our phone conversation short, telling me to have a good time, and to call him when I was ready to come home.

“I love you.” I told him.

“Me too,” he whispered.  “Night, Ab.”

I hung up, and stared at the ceiling for a few moments, asking myself if what I was doing was right.  I thought of Braeden, wondering where he was in the world right then, and if he was as confused as I was about seeing each other again.  I thought about our families, what they were thinking, if they were going to be calm about this or just drive me fucking crazy the moment we met up with them the next day.  

I slept for a whopping two hours.

Charlene came knocking at my door early the next morning, forcing me to get out of bed and get ready to face everybody. Despite how fucking tired I was, I managed to be showered and dressed within the hour, and when I came out again, she told me that everybody was waiting for us at a restaurant a few blocks from our hotel.  I didn’t want to go, and I think she knew that, but we both knew there was no choice.  

We arrived at the restaurant, and were escorted to the back where large parties were seated.  I let Charlene go into the room ahead of me, trying to collect my thoughts and my stamina before I had to face my entire family all at once.  I saw my parents, my sister, Barbara, Sammy and Mark seated around a large rectangular table.  I was slightly surprised.  I thought there would have been more people, but I assumed the extended family was waiting to see Braeden when he flew back to Colorado.  There was only so much room, after all.  I was relieved though.  The less people I had to deal with, the easier it would be on me, emotionally.

I entered the room cautiously after I’d watched Charlene greet everybody, and stood there for a moment.  My sister noticed me right away, and ran around the table, throwing her arms around me.  “Hey, you,” I smiled and hugged her tightly, keeping my gaze focused on the rest of the family.

They were all staring at me.

“Come on, I saved you a seat,” Hannah smiled and pulled me towards the table.  

“Hi.” I waved awkwardly at them all.  It was silent for a moment, as if they were all trying to determine who was going to break the ice first.

“Hi baby.”  My mom got up and held her arms out to me.  It took me a moment.  I didn’t know what to think because our last encounter had been so awful.  But right then, none of it seemed to matter to her...to any of them.  I stared at my father, and Mark, and Barbara, and Sammy.  They were smiling at me gently, telling me everything was going to be okay.  That things were going to start getting back to normal now.  That they were sorry about how they acted in the past.

So I let that all take over, fell into my mothers arms, and just...I just cried.  I cried because I’d missed it, being with my family.  Things were so bad for so long, and I never thought I’d be able to be that way with them again.  It was like, Braeden was coming back into our lives so that meant the past didn’t matter anymore.  Everybody was acting like things were going to be so perfect.

But the thing was, they had no idea what Braeden was going to be like, or how he was going to feel.  It scared me that they had such high expectations of his return but...really, why wouldn’t they?  He was alive.  It was a miracle.  I kept forgetting that.  I kept forgetting that if it wasn’t for Justin being in my life, I would probably be acting exactly like them.

My parents, Barbara and Sammy decided to spend the rest of that day together, doing their own thing, and gave the rest of us some free passes to the Lincoln Memorial and the Smithsonian to keep us entertained for the rest of the day.  Of course I told Charlene I wasn’t up for it, but she practically forced me to go with her, Hannah and Mark, telling me it would keep my mind off of things for awhile.  I reluctantly went along, catching myself staring off into space time and time again when we were looking at an exhibit or when they were trying to take pictures of us in front of some stupid statue.  I just wasn’t into it, and rightfully so.

“Here.”  Charlene pressed a few bills into my hand after we stopped for lunch, seeming to give up on me because I hadn’t taken a bite of my food.  “Go back and lie down.  You can’t be like this tomorrow.”

“Thank you,” I huffed.

I managed to fall asleep a little while after I got back to my room.  I’d dug around in my carry on looking for my sleep mask, but didn’t find it.  I did however, find the care pack that Justin told me about.  It was filled with fruit snacks, raunchy tabloid magazines which he knew I liked to indulge in, and a couple of opera cd’s.  One being the exact opera we’d seen in Paris.  I popped it into the CD walk man I brought with me, and allowed it lull me off to sleep...dreaming of him, of us.  Of the future we should have been having together.  

It was to be the only relaxing moment of the entire trip.  I woke up in the middle of the night, sweating, nauseated.  I threw up in the bathroom.  I knew what was coming, what I was going to have to face in the morning no matter how I felt about it, no matter who I was in love with.  

“Here.”  r32;
Charlene hands me another Rolaid and I take it from her gratefully.  I’ve thrown up three times in the bathroom since we’ve gotten here.  The nice airport escort was very understanding, waited for me as the rest of the family went ahead through the terminal.  There’s all kinds of press here.  Some of them were talking to Barbara and Sammy before.  They’re so happy, they don’t care about answering the reporters questions.  I wouldn’t talk to them.  I was afraid I would throw up all over them, and Charlene did a good job of warding them off.

They said the plane just landed.  It’ll be any moment now.

There’s another group of people positioned all the way to the right of us, another family.  It’s a woman, a little boy about Austin’s age, and some other adults too.  This morning a military liaison came to the hotel to escort us all to the airport.  We were told that there’s another POW coming with Braeden.  I remember now.  Anthony Holtoy.  He said...he said that Anthony has been missing for thirteen years.  Thirteen years and there is his wife, waiting for him to walk through that door like he never even left.  She’s not with anybody else.  At least, it doesn’t seem that way.  But looks can be deceiving.  I wonder how she feels.  If she’s thrown up like I have.  If she’s stayed up night after night wondering what the hell became of her husband.

I feel like I’m fucking dreaming right now.

“What do I do, Char?” I whimper as I chew the Rolaid.  “Char, what the hell do I do?”

“Shh.”  She rubs my shoulder consolingly.  “It’s Braeden.  You’ll...you’ll know what to do.”

I just nod a little bit as I sob openly in the airport terminal.  She places an arm all the way around my shoulders and pulls me close to her so I can lean into her and cry.  Nobody says anything to me.  They know I’m a wreck. That Braeden’s return home has pushed me to my limit, because I’ve been in love with somebody else for almost a year.  What am I going to feel like when he walks through that gate? Will I automatically fall in love with him again? Or will my feelings for Justin shine through? Prove to me that he’s the one I truly belong with.

I have no fucking clue.

The gate door opens with a soft creaking sound.  My family huddles together several feet away from me, their large, tacky banner spread across their group that reads “Welcome Home Braeden!”  The military liaison is standing with them, talking to them about something I should probably be hearing.  But I can’t stand with them.  I just want to hide, and God, God I don’t know where I’d be right now without Charlene.

A flight attendant walks out first, a large smile on her face as a man in military camouflage walks out behind her.  At first I think it’s Braeden, and my heart stops, but I quickly realize it’s not.  His hair is jet black, and he’s much older.  I breathe out a sigh of relief.

“Anthony!”

The woman that was standing with the little boy breaks away from her group and rushes over to him, throwing her arms around him despite the fact that the poor guy looks like he’s been on the brink of death for weeks.  It makes me cry harder, knowing that she and her family have suffered the same type of loss that I have.  She clings to him tightly as if she’ll never let him go, and soon, the rest of her family joins in.  Then she’s kissing him.  They kiss...and kiss...and kiss...like they never want to stop.  Then he’s holding his son in his arms, his smile wide as he rubs the little boys back and kisses his face.  I see him glance over at me slightly, for the briefest of seconds.  He nods, acknowledging me.

He knows who I am, and who I’m waiting for, which can only mean that Braeden has told him a lot about me.

I feel sick again, but I can’t run to the bathroom now.

More people begin to walk through the door. Lots and lots of people.  Braeden isn’t out yet...

I know he’s at the end of this line.  I know he waited to be the last one off, so he could figure out how he was going to act once our entire family lunged at him.  I know he’s nervous.  His stomach is in knots.  He wants to hug his mom, dad, his brother.

But I know...I know that I’m the one he really wants to see the most.

I can’t handle this.  I just can’t.

“I’m leaving.”

“Abbey stop being ridiculous.”  Charlene grasps me firmly by my upper arm and glares at me.

“Charlene...”

“Oh God,” she croaks, letting go of my arm, her face ghostly white because she’s seen somebody else walk through the door.

I know he’s there.

I look up.

And I see him.

Barbara breaks down as Braeden walks through that door, and Sammy has to hold her up.  He’s dressed in his military camouflage, the same way he was when he left me seven years ago.  He has some bruising and scratches on his face, but for the most part he’s been cleaned up, new hair cut, clean shave.  I can tell how sick he is though, how thin, how worn out.  He’s a shell of the lean, muscular guy I used to hold in my arms, and cuddle with on the couch at night.  But it’s still him.  It’s still Braeden.

I stand and stare.  I can’t move. Can’t speak.  I just watch as his mother slowly steps towards him, and begins to cry hysterically all over again as he wraps his arms around her and buries his face in her shoulder.  It seems to take years and years before she’s able to let go of him, and even then, she still has her arm around him as his father goes in for his hug.  They pat each other on the back, squeeze each other for a good amount of time, before breaking apart.  Mark comes next.  They hug hard.  His brother cries into him for a bit, forcing his mother to step aside for a few moments.  I realize how much of a miracle it must be to Mark, to have his brother back.  He always idolized Braeden.  

We’re so lucky.  So lucky that he’s alive.

My parents and my sister come next, hugging him hard.  My mother even cries into him for a while.  Still, I dont’ move up.  I don’t fling myself into his arms like Anthony’s wife did to her husband.  Charlene doesn’t leave my side.  She’s sticking with me.  I think she knows I’ll run off someplace if she doesn’t.  I figure that maybe he won’t see me.  Maybe...maybe he forgot.  Maybe he doesn’t love me anymore.  He shouldn’t.  I wasn’t loyal.  I didn’t wait for him.  I gave up.

“Char.”

He’s two feet away from me now.  That’s the closest he’s been to me in seven years.  I’m trembling, can’t say a word, I can’t even look at him, just at the floor as I nervously wring my hands together.

“Braeden.  Thank God.”  Charlene lets go of me.  I don’t look up.  I know she’s hugging him.  Hugging him so hard because...he was her best friend.  We were all best friends.  I can’t face this.  I can’t.

“I told you I’d be back.”

He’s speaking to me this time, and his voice is weak, pained.  Hollow.  I force myself to look at him.  It’s him.  It’s the Braeden that I love, minus some weight, and minus the lively light in his eyes.  His eyes are...dead now, unemotional.  They’re showing me the pain he’s been through, and that he’s still going through.  It’s so quiet now.  I look around, and find that everybody has stepped back from us.  They’re all waiting for this.  It’s the biggest reunion of their lifetime.  That’s great for them, but I don’t want to fucking do this while they’re here.  Char is one thing.  She doesn’t overreact, but they all will.  “I thought...” I trail off, and run my hands through my hair.  “They said you...you were dead,” I whisper.  “I didn’t know...I didn’t know what to do.”

He slowly, cautiously steps up to me, stares at me for a few moments, before slowly cupping my chin in his hand.  I shudder at his touch.  I’ve waited for it for years, to feel his fingers on my face, tracing up and down my skin.  It’s still the same, still warm, still makes me tingle inside a little bit.  My lips begin to tremble, I don’t want to pull a Barbara and become hysterical, but when I find that the tears have already started rolling down Braeden’s face, I can’t help myself.  I sob heavily, my legs begin to give out and I start to fall to the floor before he catches me in his arms and pulls me upright again.  

“I’m here.”  He pulls me close to him and wraps his arms around me.  “I’m here now.”  He pulls back and nods, caressing my face with his hand before pressing his forehead against mine.  “I love you so much,” he smiles, as more tears pour down his face.  “I never stopped loving you, Babs.  I never gave up.”

He kisses me powerfully.

I let him kiss me.  Nothing makes me hesitate, nothing makes me think of anybody else.  All I can think about is Braeden, all the years we’ve been apart, how badly I’ve missed him, how much I’ve longed for him.

Everybody is cheering, crying tears of joy as we continue to kiss in front of them.  I’ve lost all train of thought.  My Braeden is here with me again.  He’s kissing me.  I open my eyes, pull back from him a little and let him wipe some of my tears away.  He’s smiling.  It’s a weak smile.  I know it’s taking all of his strength and energy to do this right now, and he’s doing it all for me.

“I’m never leaving you again,” he whispers as he cradles me in his arms.  “Never again, Abbey.”

I can’t answer him back though.  Certain things start to rush back to me the longer I stand here, and I begin to realize what I’ve done.  A realization begins to take over his expression, and the longer he looks at me, waiting for me to say something, to tell him that I love him too, the more I realize he can tell...he can just tell...

That there’s somebody else.
Thirty Nine by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
I'm CRAZY. Here is the next chapter, lol.
I didn’t know what to think after Abbey gave me the news.  I told myself she would go welcome Braeden back to civilization.  I figured it would be an emotional time for her too, and I promised myself that I would be supportive no matter what happened, because I loved her.  That day at the airport, I made sure to let her know just how much our relationship meant to me, and that I’d be waiting for her to come home to the three of us.

But I didn’t count on this.

Monday came like any other, with the exception that I had to get two kids up for school on time so I would make it into work and not miss my board meeting.  Abbey tried to make things easier for me by putting a weeks worth of outfits together for the kids, and leaving a list of things for Lucinda to do for me so I wouldn’t “lose my mind” as the note said.  I found that Davey is easier than Austin.  He’ll get right up and do what he’s told, while Austin procrastinates and whines that he wants to sleep in for ‘five more minutes’.  Now normally, if Abbey was around, I’d be okay and have some more patience.  But since she wasn’t, and that fact was stressing me out more than life itself, I lost my patience a little bit.

“Get up,” I grunted, and ripped his blanket off of him, tossing it onto the floor.  “Right now!”

“It’s cold!”

“Deal with life! I am!” I yelled, and stormed away.

They both made it to school on time.  It probably would have made me feel proud, like I accomplished something more than a big share buy in, but I couldn’t focus on what I’d done.  I could barely focus on work.  I just sat there in the conference room, while Dennis made a huge power point presentation about share holders and profit margin.  I knew I should have been paying closer attention, and commenting on various things, since I knew he’d worked hard to get it done for me, but I just....I couldn’t.

The only thing I could think about was Abbey, and the fact that Braeden was going to walk back into her life the next day.  When I got home that night, I considered calling her about a thousand times.  I even picked up the phone and began to dial before something stopped me.  I knew I couldn’t.  It was like...she’d been plucked out of my life temporarily.  There were things going on in her life at that moment that neither I or the boys had a place in. She’d called me to tell me she got in okay, and that should have been enough. I had to continue to wait it out.  I was smart enough to know that too.

But it was fucking hard.

I found myself not being able to sleep without her that night.  I tossed and turned, dreamed of her in a thousand different situations.  I could see her telling me that she didn’t love me anymore.  That being with me was something temporary until Braeden came back.  She said: ‘thanks for the good time.’

I woke up sweating, breathing harshly, and sobbing just a little bit.

I couldn’t remember the last time I’d been so damn unstable.

It was pissing me off.  I was tired of waiting even though it had only been a day.  I just wanted her to say hi to the guy and come home already.

But I would soon realize, that it was never going to be that simple.

I went to work the next day, and managed to find a new project to busy myself with.  It was mostly thanks to Dennis, who barged into my office that morning with an excited gleam in his eyes.  He threw his proposition at me, and we talked it through most of the afternoon.  I even left work an hour late, tired, but looking forward to what we were about to embark on.  It was the first time in months I’d been completely immersed in work.  I felt bad because I knew I missed dinner with the boys, and they’d be eating alone with Lucinda.  Abbey never would have approved.

But Abbey wasn’t around to approve or disapprove of anything I was doing.

When I got home, I found Austin and Davey in my bedroom.  The TV was blaring and they were sprawled out on the bed with some activity books.  

“Hey guys.”  I smiled and loosened my tie as I stepped into the room and sat between them on the bed, giving them both light kisses on the head.  “How was school? Did you behave for Lucinda?”

“Look, Justin,” Davey smiled, disregarding my questions as he pointed at the TV.  “It’s Abbey!”

My attention snapped to the TV screen automatically.  The news was on, and I can only guess the boys were watching because the Simpsons was coming on in the next five minutes.  The news anchors were reporting a story about two missing soldiers that had been found.  I recognized Abbey immediately.  She was crying, and there was Charlene beside her, hugging a man in military camouflage.

Abbey looked tired, but beautiful, and I would have given anything to make her stop crying.

What I saw next though, changed my attitude entirely.

I recognized Braeden when he stopped hugging Charlene.  He was almost identical to the man I’d seen in the picture, except this version was much paler, much skinner, and had a pained look in his eyes that seemed like it would never go away.  I had no problem watching him hug her or anything.  I expected that.  But then...

Then he started to kiss her.

I waited for her to stop him.  To tell him that her life had changed and she loved somebody else.

But she never did.

Then the newscaster cut it off, and talked about how wonderful it was to see things like that nowadays and blah blah bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

I sat there, my mouth hanging open a little, completely dumbfounded.  I felt like somebody had kicked me in the gut seven times and told me that Goldman had burned to the ground.

“Why was Abbey kissing that man?” Austin asked me next.  

I looked at him.  He was waiting for me to answer him, and I had no idea what to say, because the truth was, I didn’t have a fucking clue myself.  “She was...she was just pretending.”  

The answer was stupid, and I knew it.

“He’ll believe that,” Austin motioned to Davey.  “But I know better.”

I scowled slightly and flicked off the TV.  “Get ready for bed,” I grunted.

“But it’s only seven!” Austin whined.

“Yeah, only seven!” Davey pouted too, and crossed his arms.  “Abbey lets us stay up til nine.”

“Fine.”  I muttered, rubbing my top lip.  “Just...just go...play or something.”  I forced them out of my room after that, and they stood in the hallway staring at me, as I closed the door in their faces.  Yeah, I felt like shit for it.

But at that moment, I couldn’t focus on the boys, as much as I knew I should have.

I sat down on the bed again, sighed harshly and buried my face in my hands.  That pain was still there, more powerful than ever, right in the middle of my gut.  I couldn’t understand.  I thought she would have waited or...thought about it, or remembered me...sitting home without her, having given her my full support, only to witness her stabbing me in the damn back.  But was it backstabbing? Should I really have expected her not to do something like that?  It wasn’t like she initiated it.  I saw it with my own eyes.  He kissed her.  I started to think that she might have been confused...

But I couldn’t make myself truly believe that.  The more I thought about it, the more I began to convince myself that she had fallen back in love with him.

The more I began to convince myself that she wasn’t coming back to me.

A little voice inside of me piped up, telling me to prepare for the worst.  I listened. I needed to prepare myself to be left in the dust, just like I’d been in my childhood and adolescence.  I couldn’t be a wimp, I had to rely on myself.  If Abbey left, I had to be prepared to take care of the boys all on my own.  There would be no more nannies.  I couldn’t trust anybody else.  I would have to get Lucinda to work on her English, and she could be my housekeeper and child care all in one.  

I started to work on that plan immediately, signing Lucinda up for English classes the very next day, which she was grateful for.  I also went through my closet, which had been changed over months ago to house both my clothes and Abbey’s.  I separated it all, placed her things in a spare room, because I had to be prepared.  

She was going to leave me.  I could sense it.  I knew it.  I was stupid to believe that Braeden wouldn’t sweep her off her feet.  She’d loved him all along, and I’d just been second best.  That’s all I would ever be.

I cried so hard that night.  I hated myself for opening myself up to her.  I hated myself for being in love with her, and even more because I couldn’t stop loving her.  I realized it didn’t matter if I shipped all of her possessions back to Colorado.  There would always be that presence of her in my house.  Just spending time with the boys would remind me of her, because she’d instilled so much of herself in them to make them better people.  I started to think back on all the things Trace had warned me about, that I was getting in too deep and I would regret it.  I was too blinded by my feelings for her to listen, though.

And I was going to pay for it, dearly.

Tomorrow is Saturday.  She called me yesterday while I was a work, left me a voicemail.  She said she’s coming home tomorrow, that she needs to talk to me.  She also asked if I could call her back.

I didn’t.

I couldn’t.

I think I would have blown up at her over the phone, and that...that just wouldn’t have been fair to either of us.

So instead, I asked Dennis to take my brothers for the weekend.  I lied, told him I have to meet with some clients over the weekend, but he didn’t seem to mind.  His wife is cool with it and his kids are the perfect companions for the boys.  I had Quincy bring them to his house after they got out of school, and when I came home, I smiled a little, knowing I was alone.  I sent Lucinda away for the weekend too, just to make sure nobody would be here to witness my pathetic state of mind.

I’ve been sitting on the couch with a bottle of wine since I came home, listening to her god damn voicemail over and over again.

“Hey baby.  I guess you’re working.  Hopefully you’re doing okay. Things have been...well, I won’t lie...things are crazy here.  I’m coming home on Saturday.  I hope we can talk.  Maybe you can give me a call tonight or something? I hope the boys are doing okay, and not driving you too crazy...”

There’s a long pause.  I chuckle to myself.

“Well I...I love you.  I’ll talk to you when...when I talk to you I guess.”

“Liar.”

The call clicks off.  I refill my wine glass, and redial my voicemail again.

"Hey baby..."

I close my eyes as I listen to her voice.  Fucking hell, I miss the shit out of her.

I guzzle my glass of wine and then I just give in and start drinking straight from the bottle.  Soon my eyes begin to feel heavy and I know I’m really drunk.  The phone slips out of my hand, still blaring the voicemail for the millionth time, and I curl myself into the sofa, clutching the bottle with one hand and pulling a throw pillow to my chest with the other.  I feel the hot tears travel down my face, and don’t bother to wipe them away as I guzzle more wine from the bottle.

“Welcome home, Braeden,” I slur.  “I hope you and my girlfriend will be very, very fucking happy together.  Remember, she likes it a little rough now and then.  It’s been a while, ya know? Thought I’d give you a couple’a pointers.”

I laugh at my own joke.  Then, I pass out.
Forty by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Wow you guys, thank you SO much for all the support.  I means a lot to me.  This chapter is a little bit longer.  I hope you enjoy it, and I look forward to hearing from you all!

After that first meeting with Braeden, I felt like my whole stay in DC was going to be that way.  That we would just be together, all the time, talking and catching up.  I realized more than anything, how badly I needed to figure things out with us.  I wanted to know what he was thinking, because if I did, I was sure it would help me figure out what the hell I was supposed to do.

It was a nice thought, but I quickly realized that Braeden’s homecoming was to be nothing like that.  In fact, I think I was able to spend a total of five hours with him the entire time I was in DC.  We spent those precious few minutes together at the airport, both in tears, kissing like two stupid teenagers, before we stopped and stared each other.  It was then that he was pulled away from me by the military liaison, and propelled forward toward the exit.  Anthony wasn’t far behind, being escorted by his own liaison, only he was able to be with his wife and child.  I didn’t get it, and I knew Braeden didn’t either.  He started to protest while I stood there, sobbing, still in shock from being in his arms for a few minutes, only to have him ripped away from me again.  

“Wait!” He said, struggling against the grip of the liaison as he looked back at me, his eyes desperate and fearful, as if he was about to lose me again.  “No, wait! Abbey...”

“They’ll follow us to the hospital, honey,” Barbara told him, stroking his hair and the nape of his neck, not allowing him to look back at me anymore as they walked away.

I watched his retreating backside until I couldn’t see him anymore.  Then the rest of the family came up behind me, and helped me to walk out of there so we could follow Braeden to the hospital.  He was taken in a separate car and everything.  I didn’t understand why Barbara was allowed to go and I wasn’t.  I was told on the way to the hospital that he and Anthony were still under military command, and they could only have one family member a piece with them in the government car.  Naturally, because Barbara was a clingy bitch, it had to be her.  

I thought, and I still maintain this, that I deserved to be in that car with him after everything we’d been put through.  It was me he was calling out for, not his mommy.

Barbara has always gotten her way though, except when it came to that bank account with my name on it.  I knew she was still holding it against me, despite her warm smile and pleasant demeanor when we met that Monday at breakfast.  It was like she was trying to start a war between us...

But why? All I wanted to do was spend some time with her son.  Her son that had been...God...sold into slavery for seven years.

That’s what the military liaison told me, when I went asking questions that day at the hospital.  Braeden arrived before we did, and was taken to the ICU immediately.  Sammy, Mark, and Barbara were the only people allowed to go with him, and I was growing more frustrated every minute I was stuck out in that waiting room.  It was why I started to take my aggressions out on the liaison, although, I’m pretty sure that he was used to that sort of thing. I could tell he didn’t want to give me details regarding Braeden’s disappearance though, most likely because Braedan wanted it that way.  But he should have known better.  I never backed down, for anybody, and why would I have started then?

“We have an idea of who is responsible,” he said to me.  “We believe it’s a widespread slavery ring controlled by two or three top members of the Taliban.  With Braeden and Anthony’s help, we’ve already been able to track down a few more of the kidnappers.  We’re trying to stop it, and we’re also making our men and women overseas aware of the situation.”

“Fucking great,” I whimpered and wiped at my eyes.  “You should have worked harder to stop it before it happened to anyone.”

He was silent.  He knew there was nothing he could say that could make up for what happened, and so did I.  I just let it go, and I think he was grateful.  He practically ran away from me, and I decided that was fine.  I was done with the United States Military, wanted nothing to do with them, because they’d almost managed to destroy my entire life and Braeden’s too.  

I realized if it hadn’t been for Justin, I would have been done for, long before Braeden came home.

But I couldn’t think about Justin then.  The only person I could think about, was Braeden.  
I’d kissed him.

I’d kissed him and I didn’t feel guilty about it.

What did that mean? Did it mean that I was in love with him? I had no fucking clue, but I knew I needed to figure it out.  I needed to be with Braeden, talk to him, because the last thing I wanted was to hurt Justin.  I needed to be honest with him, and with myself.  But nobody was giving us that time together.  Those doctors kept Braeden in the ICU for hours, even though he seemed to be able to do for himself when we were standing in the airport, kissing.  I kept asking for an answer as to why I was being kept from him, but nobody would tell me anymore than I already knew.  I cried on Charlene’s shoulder, on my mother’s shoulder, until I had no more energy left.  I ended up falling asleep on somebody.  I can’t remember who right now.  It might have been daddy.  

The next thing I remember is being nudged awake.  I opened my eyes and came face to face with Sammy, and forced a smile for him.  I looked around.  My parents and sister were gone.  “Where...what happened to...”

“It’s late,” he smiled a little.  “They went back to the hotel to get some rest.”

I had always loved Sammy.  He was very quiet, always let Barbara have the upper hand, but he was so sweet that I couldn’t hold it against him.  Braeden had his eyes.  I found myself staring into them then, as sick as it was.  “Oh...”

“Want me to sneak you in?” He winked.

I jolted upright.  “Can...can I?”

“Sure, sure.”  He helped me up with a smile.  “I think he’d like that.  Barbara’s been hovering over him like a hawk all day.  I finally got her to go back to the hotel with Mark about an hour ago.”

I wanted to say: ‘thank God’, but knew better.  I knew it was better to keep my mouth shut and not make derogatory comments about his wife, if I wanted more than ten minutes with Braeden.

I just...I guess I just wish I was more prepared for what I was about to see when I entered the hospital room.  It never occurred to me that something could have been seriously wrong with Braeden, just because he walked on his own and had been able to hold me up when I practically fainted from being in his presence.  But when I saw him lying there, I knew he’d been forcing that strength for me.

In reality, he was a mess.

They had to lie him on his stomach because of...because of what happened to his back.  I just stood in the doorway and stared while Sammy rubbed my shoulder and told me to take my time before he walked away from me.  The skin on Braeden’s back, which at one time had been smooth, and soft, a part of his body that I loved to massage and rub sun tan lotion on in the summers, had now been reduced to a canvas of raw, torn up skin.  There were deep, long gashes going every which way up and down and across his back.  Lash marks, like somebody had beat him with something day in and day out.  I started to lose it, sob all over again, even though I didn’t want to.

“Abbey.” His voice came weakly and he tried to pick his head up to look at me, but the angle was too awkward, and they’d strapped the lower half of his body down to the bed with something so he wouldn’t be able to roll over and injur himself further.  “Hey, don’t...don’t cry.”

I could tell he was a little drowsy, and was sure he’d been doped up with every drug possible to cure the pain from his injuries.  “Bray...”

“That chair...” He raised his arm slowly and pointed to a chair positioned next to the bed.  “Sit there.”

I did it without a thought.  Anything he wanted.  I would have done it then.  I stared back at him once I sat down, and all he could seem to do was smile, even though I knew he was in intense, intense, pain.

“Hi, Babs,” he whispered, adjusting his face on the pillow so it wouldn’t look as squished against it.

“Hi...” I trailed off and tried to smile, but only ended up sobbing instead.  I wiped the tears from my face as he watched me, and I felt like a fool.  There he was, right in front of me after seven years of what I knew was pure torture, and all I could was cry.  “I’m...I’m sorry...”

“Shh.”  He hissed, and then smiled.

I forced myself to smile back, because I knew it was what he needed then.

“There.” He nodded slightly, and reached his hand out to me.  There were four or five IV’s connected to it.  “That’s what I like.”  

I took his hand carefully, fearful that I would mess up the tubing, and he laced his fingers through mine.  “Will it...get better, your back?” I asked him next.

“They say it will, over time,” he told me, his smile unwavering as he pulled my hand up to his mouth and kissed it softly.  “Right now they’re changing the dressing, so I have to stay on my stomach like this.  They put some kind of medication on my back that has to set in, and in the morning, I’ll get a new dressing so I can put some clothes on.  I can’t feel anything right now, so don’t worry.  I’m doped up like a two cent hooker.”

It was uncanny that he could joke about it so freely with me. I knew he needed to do it to maintain his own sanity though, so I managed to laugh along with him.  

“I’m sorry,” he told me after a while, his smile finally fading away.  “I’m sorry that I left and...that this had to happen, Babs.”

“No...Bray, please,” I whimpered.  “It’s not your fault.”

“I should have been here for you,” he persisted.  “I wasn’t.”

“It wasn’t your fault.  I whispered it as I leaned forward a little, and caressed his face with my free hand.  He’d been burdened with so much for so long, and there was no reason for him to be apologizing to me. “You’re here now,” I whispered.

His smile returned.  “Yeah.  I guess I am.”

He leaned forward and kissed me.  For the second time that day, I allowed him to do it, lost myself in him.  I didn’t care about anything else.

“Excuse me kids,” a woman’s voice said, breaking up our kissing session.  “Time for lights out.”

I pulled away from Braeden and looked down at my lap, feeling my face burning with embarrassment.  


r32;“Jen,” Braeden groaned pathetically to his nurse.  “C’mon.  Five minutes.”

“No can do, mister,” she smirked, and made her way over to me, motioning me to get up from the chair.  “That medication needs to set in and you need to sleep.”

“See you tomorrow, Ab?” He asked me hopefully.  “We can have breakfast.  Right Jen?”

She eyed me suspiciously, like I didn’t belong there.  “Are you immediate family?”

“She is,” Braeden spoke up immediately.  “Abbey Feldman.  I want her on my list.”

Jen rolled her eyes a little bit, but smiled then, knowing I wasn’t just anybody.  “He’ll eat at nine, if you want to come back then.  Make sure you bring this with you.”  She pulled a pass out of her scrubs and handed it to me.  A bright red one that said ICU Visitor in big black letters.

“Okay.”  I smiled a little as I took it from her.  “Get some rest.”  I ran my hand through his silky brown hair, before slowly walking away from him.

“Babs.”

I turned back as I reached the door way.  “Yeah.”

“I love you.”

I pressed my lips together.

I still couldn’t say it.

“Night, Bray.”

I walked out of there, the tears immediately pouring out of my eyes.  I sobbed all the way down the hall, the scarring on his back making me feel terrible..and angry, sick to my stomach.  I wanted to kill the people responsible...but I couldn’t, it was impossible.  Sammy was waiting out in the lobby for me, and I think he knew exactly what was wrong, because the next thing I knew he’d wrapped his arms around me, and hugged me long and hard while I continued to sob. He gave a damn.  He knew what Braeden and I had shared at one time in our lives, and that I still meant a great deal to his son.  Only, I had no idea what I was supposed to do...what I was supposed to tell Braeden the next time he told me he loved me and I couldn’t say it back.

I was going to have to explain Justin at some point, I knew that.  I just didn’t know when I would get the chance.  It certainly wasn’t going to be like that though...while he was laid up in a hospital bed, unable to move.  It would have to wait, but the longer I held out, the more hurt I knew he was going to be.  

But what could I do?

I was up early the next morning to have breakfast with Braeden.  The liaison had told us he would send a car each morning to bring us to the hospital, and when I got downstairs, I immediately bumped into Barbara who seemed to be on the way there herself.

“Oh, Abbey...” she trailed off and seemed to force a smile.  “Are you going to the hospital at this hour?”

“Yeah,” I nodded.  “Braeden invited me to breakfast.”

“Well.” She flashed me a tight smile.  “That’s nice.”

Our ride to the hospital was completely silent.  I knew she had nothing to say to me, and after the way she acted at the airport, I had absolutely nothing to say to her either.  We walked into the ICU together, and I pulled my pass out, much to her dismay.  I guess she thought I would get turned away and she would win that round.  But she was wrong.

Braeden was already awake when we entered the room.  He’d been turned over, was propped up in bed with some pillows, wearing a hospital gown.  A tray was pulled up to his chest, and he was devouring a plate of toast and a bowl of cereal, shoving the food into his face like he hadn’t eat in years.

“Morning,” he smiled brightly as he looked up at us.  He was a little bit better that morning.  His face had more color, and he seemed to have more energy all around.

But his eyes though.  His eyes were still dull and lifeless.

It worried me.

“Hey baby.”  Barbara smiled and made her way over to him, proceeding to fluff his pillows, run her fingers through his hair, and kiss his cheek.  “How do you feel?”

He wouldn’t take his eyes off of me.  “I’m...you know...I’ll be okay.”

I looked down at the floor.  There were questions in his expression.  Questions he was dying to ask me like...did I love him anymore.  He couldn’t ask them with his mother there though, and part of me was thankful.  

“Braeden.”

We all looked towards the doorway.  His military liaison was standing there with a smile on his face.  

“Good morning sir,” Braeden nodded.

“Son,” he smiled again and placed an envelope on his tray.  “You’re being awarded the Medal Of Honor.  They’d like to conduct the ceremony here in Washington, the day after tomorrow, if you’re up for it.”

Braeden dropped his spoon.  Barbara covered her mouth with her hand, and I just stood there, shocked.

“W-why?” Braeden asked next.

“The president heard your story, and Anthony also confirmed that you’re the one who initiated the attack and led the two of you to safety.  That and ensuring the recovery of Captain Lennot’s body...”

“No.”  He snapped quickly at the mention of that name, and shook his head roughly.  “Tell them I don’t want it.”

“Braeden!” Barbara gasped, before looking back at the liaison.  “He’s just...under the weather,” she explained with a nervous laugh.  “We’ll get him ready.”r32;

“No, you won’t,” he said sternly.

It was the first time he’d been that serious since he came home.  Something was effecting him deeply.  The look on his face was telling me he didn’t think he deserved it.

But I couldn’t understand why.

He was a hero.

“Bray,” I interjected and stepped closer to him.  “I think you should take it.  The president wouldn’t give it to you if he didn’t think you deserved it.”

He stared back at me for a very long moment, like he was dying to tell me something, but couldn’t.  “I...I don’t know.”

I put a hand on his shoulder.  “Come on Bray.”  I forced a smile for him.  “It’s important.”

He sighed and rubbed his face with his hands.  “I...I guess so,” he said, unenthusiastically.  

“Great,” the liaison smiled.  “We’ll inform the president's staff, and speak with your doctors about getting you out of here on time for the ceremony.  How does that sound?”

“Wonderful.  I’ll make sure to shine my boots to military standard.”

It was sarcasm.  One of the things I’d always loved about him.

“Well...” the liaison trailed off.  “I’ll be in touch.”

He turned on his heel and walked out.

Braeden continued to eat his food, not speaking to either of us as he did so.  I realized his carefree demeanor had completely changed in the five minutes that it took the liaison to give him the news.  It meant that he’d been putting on an act since he got off the plane.  At least for the rest of his family.  I couldn’t say the same for me, because I knew how he felt about us, and it was probably the only real, happy emotion that he had inside of him when he was holding me in his arms and kissing me.

“Braeden this is signed by the president,” Barbara said happily as she looked at the letter, and covered her mouth with her hand for a moment.  “What an amazing honor!”

“Yeah,” he muttered and shoveled more cereal in his mouth.

She stroked his hair as he continued to eat.  “You’ll be more receptive when you’re at the ceremony,” she reassured him.  “You’re just in recovery mode right now.”

I saw him smirk as he shoved more toast in his mouth, but he wouldn’t look at her.  I took a seat in the corner of the room.

Awkward silence ensued.  

“I’m going to get a coffee,” Barbara announced.  “Abbey,” she paused and smiled as she looked over in my direction.  “Would you like a coffee?”

It was a weird change.  She was actually thinking of somebody other than herself, and even weirder, that person was me.  “Sure,” I nodded.  “Thank you.”

“I’ll be back in a little bit.”  She put the letter back on Braeden’s tray table and kissed him on the cheek before walking out of the room, leaving us by ourselves.

But Braeden didn’t try to initiate conversation with me like he had the night before.  He just continued to eat and drink to his hearts content, glancing at me slightly every few seconds, as if he was trying to ensure I hadn’t disappeared on him.

“What is it?” I finally asked him.

He paused, mid chew.  “Huh?”

“I mean...” I trailed off and looked down at my lap.  “It’s a great honor, Braeden.”

“It’s a piece of metal, coming from the hands of a man who couldn’t have cared less where I ended up.”

“That’s not true...” I began.

He laughed at me, and forced me to cut my speech short.  “Do you think...do you think they care about me Abbey? Do you really think they care that I watched my...my best friend die in my arms? They don’t.  It’s just more publicity for them.  ‘Bush honors war hero,’” he muttered.  “That’s what’s important to Washington.”

I heard the crunching sound of his cereal being chewed again and I knew he was serious.  For the first time, I was beginning to understand part of what he’d been through.  He was finally allowing himself to break down a little bit instead of putting on a happy face for us all.  I should have been glad that he was showing an actual personality.

But I couldn’t be.

He was scaring me to death.

“So who is he?”

I looked up at him again, eyes wide, completely breathless.  It was so random, the way he said it, like he’d known all along.  “I...Bray...”

“I know there’s someone else,” he whispered, and took another drink out of his cup, before rasing the empty cereal bowl to his lips and guzzling the milk to the last drop.  “I suspected it at the airport, and I figured it out last night, when you couldn’t tell me that you loved me.”

He was changing the subject, putting all of his pain and aggression on me.  I wanted to be mad at him and tell him it wasn’t the time or place to talk about it, but I knew that would have been childish.  Braeden had never played around before.  He wanted to truth from me then, and in the past, I’d always been able to give it to him.  But it was only the second day.  He’d only been home two days.  I wanted to wait at least until the end of the week, but the way he was gazing at me, expecting me to answer him, told me that I couldn’t wait.  That I would have to give him an answer then.

“I...I met somebody, last year,” I whispered, refusing to look at him, only at my lap.  

“You’ve been with him up until now?”

He said it gently.  I knew he didn’t want to alarm me, sound enraged.  He just...cared about me too much.  It made me think it was okay to look him in the eye again, so I did.  “Yes,” I rasped.  “I’m still with him.”

He leaned back into his pillows and sighed, staring out the window for a moment, before finally landing his gaze back on me.  “So it’s serious?”

I shrugged.  “I mean...”

“It is,” he pointed out.  “You wouldn’t have hesitated to tell me about this last night, if it wasn’t.”

“I don’t know what’s going on right now,” I blurted out, my eyes filling with tears yet again.  “I need to think, Bray!  I need to talk to you! But...but it’s like we can’t talk, not for the amount of time we need to!”

“Look,” he huffed, sitting up a little bit taller in the bed.  “I love you, Abbey.  I love you more than anything, and I never stopped.  No matter what they were doing to me, I think I forced myself to push through it because I believed you would be here when I got back.  I would lie awake at night and think of you.  You kept me sane, you got me through seven damn years.  You’re the only thing that could have.”

My lips trembled, and I covered my mouth with my hand, starting to sob right there in front of him yet again.  I didn’t want to.  It wasn’t the right time, and I was positive his mother was going to walk back in any moment, and start to ask questions.  But it couldn’t be helped.  Braeden knew me inside and out, and I don’t know what in the world possessed me to think that I could keep something like Justin from him.  He could see right through me, right into my heart, like always.

He was still madly in love with me.

The better part of me was telling me I was still madly in love with him too.

But then there was Justin, unfailing in his faith that I was coming back home to move forward with our lives.

 “Abbey.”  

It took me a moment to pick my face up out of my hands, and then...he was right in front of me, stroking my face and pleading with me not to cry. I gasped because he’d yanked the IV’s from his hand.  He wasn’t supposed to be out of bed.  He could hurt himself more and it would be all my fault.  “You can’t be...you can’t be out of bed.”

“I love you, and you love me too.” He persisted, ignoring my comment, and pressed his lips to mine, leading me into a long, lingering kiss.  “Whoever he is,” he began, as he broke the kiss.  “He’ll have to understand that.”

He expected me to dump Justin like he never mattered.  I couldn’t call him selfish though.  Braeden wasn’t selfish.  He’d gotten lost in the world, and continued to consider me his girlfriend the entire time.  In his eyes, nothing about our relationship had changed.  Only...it had changed.  It had changed because I’d changed, and I’d changed because Justin had loved me enough to show me how.  But Braeden didn’t know that, and I knew would never understand.  He didn’t want to understand my relationship with Justin, and I knew it from that very moment.  The only thing he wanted to do, I was certain, was get back to our life.

“It’s not that simple,” I finally replied.  

He shook his head a little, confusion riddling his expression.  “Why not?”

For the first time I saw real emotions enter his eyes.  It was pain, worry, and fear.  He was terrified that I was going to walk away and he would lose me for the second time in his life.  “Because...because I love him too.”

He said nothing, just continued to stare back at me.  He was hurt, and I knew that.  I hated that I was the cause of it, but what choice did I have? I had to tell him the truth, because I’d never lied to him before in my life.  

“What are you saying?” He whispered, pulling back from me and slowly rising to his feet, wincing slightly as he did it.  “Are you...are you saying you don’t want to be with me?”

“No,” I murmured.  “I’m just saying that I need more time.”

“Braeden!”

Barbara was standing in the doorway, a cup of coffee in each hand, her expression full of anger and worry because her son was out of bed.  

“Mom I...”

r32;r32;“Get back in bed!” She yelled, and sent me a dirty look, before putting the coffees down and racing over to where her son stood.  “What in the world made you think it was okay for him to pull the IV’s out of his arm?” She screamed at me next.

I cowered in my chair as I watched her slowly help him back into the bed.  “I...”

“You can’t...you can’t do that!  You’re not a doctor!  You don’t know what’s best for him!”

Her eyes were filled with tears.  She was terrified for some reason.  Like the fact that Breaden was out of bed meant he was going to disintegrate before her eyes or something.  She was completely overreacting, like she always did, with everything.  

“Ma,” Braeden spoke up as he slowly settled back against his pillows.

She ignored him.  “I mean it!” She continued to yell, as I stared back at her.  “Don’t mess things up, Abbey!  This is why I didn’t want you in here!”

I started to cry again, hard and heavy.  I hated it, but she was tearing into me after a gut wrenching conversation with her son, and I couldn’t hold my emotions back.

“Mom!” Braeden yelled at her.

Her head snapped around to look back at her son.  

“Don’t yell at her like that,” he snapped.  “Don’t you dare.”

“Braeden,” she whispered.  “It’s just that you’re...you’re not well.”

“I got out of bed,” he told her sternly.  “It was my choice.  I’m not a child.”

“Baby...”

“Can I please have some time with her?” he grunted.  “I need some time with her.  Fuck, you had the whole day yesterday, mom.  It’s Abbey’s turn now.”

Barbara was silent as she stared back at him.  I knew she must have hated my guts then, but I wasn’t going to say anything.  Braeden was handling the situation. I didn’t have a clue where he was channeling his energy from, how he could hold his head high and put his mother in her place when he’d been apart from her for so long.  I realized it was important to him though.  So important for him to be alone with me.  

Nothing else mattered to him in that moment, nobody else was as important to him as I was.  He was being disrespectful to his mother for my sake, and yet, I was still worried about Justin.

I felt like shit.

“If that’s what you want,” she said next, hardly above a whisper.  “I’ll send the nurse in the fix the IV.”

She started to walk away, on the brink of a breakdown, but then Braeden softly called out to her and she turned back around.

“I love you mom,” he nodded, and I could see a few tears glide down his face.  “I’m...I’m sorry.  We’ll talk later, okay?”

She rushed back to him and smiled gently as she kissed his face.  “I’ll see you later on, Bray.”

She wouldn’t look at me as she walked out of the room. The nurse came in moments later, scolding Braeden for potentially making himself worse as she inserted the IV’s back into his arm and checked his backside before leaving us again.

I knew it was going to be a long, hard struggle to get on good terms with Barbara again.  I wasn’t sure I was up to the challenge, but I knew that if I did decide to stay with Braeden, I was going to have to try my best.  It was no secret that Braeden had always shared a special connection with his mother.  At one time, Barbara and I had been very close too.  Her son’s disappearance had warped her though, especially since she had been battling cancer at the time.  She was never the same after that, and in turn, our relationship faded away.  She focused on the money he’d left behind because it was all that was left of Braeden, and resented me because I wouldn’t give it up.  I didn’t want Braeden to know about all of that, but I knew he would find out.  Mark would tell him everything eventually, and I knew there was nothing I could do about it.

But I didn’t want Braeden to hold a grudge against his mother.

“I know you’re confused right now,” he told me, several minutes later, once the icy chill of his mother’s attitude had passed.  “But Abbey, I’m just asking you to open your eyes a little bit.”

I stared at him.  

“It’s me, baby,” he said next, sobbing the words out.  “I’m home.  Have you...has it hit you yet, that I’m alive?  That I’m going to be here for you tomorrow, the next day...next week, next month, next year?”

What he said began to hit me hard.  I slowly began to realize how much in shock I still was from his sheer presence.  I kept thinking him being there was just a temporary thing.  That I would wake up the next day and he would be gone again.  But Braeden was proving something to me.  He wasn’t going anywhere.  He was home, to stay, and he wanted me to love him again like I always had.  “I don’t know what to do,” I admitted, hating myself for it.  “I’m...I’m in love with him.”

He was silent for a while.  “Give me a chance to help you remember me.  That’s all I’m asking.”

“I...”

“I deserve it,” he whimpered, beginning to have an emotional breakdown right in front of me.  “I...I fought so hard to get home to you, baby.  Please...please don’t leave me.  I couldn’t take it.”

I slowly got up from the chair and went to him.  He was sobbing so hard then, that I could see his body trembling, and I refused to just...let him have a nervous breakdown while I sat by and did nothing.  It hit me so hard, how much he loved me, and I felt something inside of me pushing, pushing so hard to understand him, to remember how he made me feel all those years ago. I sat down beside him, shifting his body over slightly so I could lay beside him and wrap my arms around him, holding him and consoling him as he cried into me.  “I’m right here,” I whispered in his ear.  “I’m not leaving you, Bray.”

“Don’t leave me,” he cried.

He kept saying it.

I knew there was nothing I could do.  I had to stay.  I had to make sure he was okay.  That meant going back to Colorado the following week to help get him settled back in with the family members and close friends he hadn’t seen in seven years.  It was something I didn’t think I would be doing, originally.  I thought I could talk things out with Braeden, explain I had responsibilities to the boys and to Justin, and he would miraculously understand.  I was a fool, an idiot, and selfish to think that way.  Of course he wouldn’t understand.  He had more love for me inside of him than most people knew in a lifetime.  We’d always had a special love, a special bond.  I should have been thankful that he’d come home alive to me.  Anybody else in my situation would have been. As we sat there, and he cried, I found myself becoming more attached, remembering things about our relationship that I hadn’t recalled in years.  The little things I’d always loved about him were rushing back to me...those things I’d been forced to forget due to his absence.    

There was no way I could have turned away from him after that.  

At the same time though, I had no idea what I was supposed to tell Justin.  I knew I would have to return to New York before I left for Colorado to get another weeks worth of clothes together.  Then Justin and I would have to talk...if he was even willing to talk about it.  I knew how he was, how closed off he could become if something detrimental happened in his life.  I didn’t want that to happen.  I wanted him to give me the time I needed to deal with Braeden.  I was still convinced I would go back to him, and that he would wait for me.  

I tried to call him that afternoon to tell him I planned to be home on Saturday.  He didn’t answer.  I figured he was at work, that it wasn't a big deal.

I tried to make myself believe that.

But there was a nagging feeling forming in the pit of my stomach, that was telling me all was not so well on the home front.

I couldn’t dwell on it though.  Too much was going on, and after I sat with Braeden that morning in the hospital, I found myself being pulled in every direction by my family.  All kinds of people wanted to talk to us, sympathize with us, and tell us how to deal with a recovering Braeden.  We had to go to a special meeting, because we were informed that not only would Braeden be receiving the medal of honor, but also that the president wanted to meet the families of the victims before the ceremony.  There were all kinds of waivers we had to sign, and all sorts of rules we had to read through.  By the morning of the ceremony I was completely exhausted, hadn’t seen Braeden for more than ten minutes since our breakfast visit, and was totally ready to hole myself up in bed for a few days without any sort of human contact.

I realized it was my turn to be strong though.  Be strong for Braeden because he’d been so strong for so long and survived so much.  He was counting on me to keep both of our families sane, I realized, because he couldn’t.  With the exception of the first two days, the military took up most of his time.  He had to go through all kinds of psychiatric evaluations, and physical examinations.  I had stopped asking questions a long time ago.  I knew...I knew that when they were finally done with him, and I was finally done tending to our families needs, that we would have the time we deserved to really talk, really reconnect again.  I just had to stay sane in the process.

It was fucking hard though, and all the while, Justin and the boys were in the back of my mind, even if I didn’t want them to be.

Meeting President Bush was...just okay.  I mean, of course my family was very excited.  He was very cordial with them, took the time to talk to all of us like we were so special to him.  I kept remembering what Braeden said about Washington’s need for publicity though, and I couldn’t get that out of my mind.  I had to force a smile and a kind, thankful personality when the guy finally shook my hand and told me how very sorry he was about Braeden’s captivity.  We took a picture together by ourselves.  He didn’t do that with the rest of my family.  They took one big group photo together.  I felt he could sense the resent me brewing inside of me, and it was why he was trying so hard to kiss my ass. But I didn’t care about pictures, or handshakes, or kind words of sympathy.

I felt like he’d taken something very special from me, so long ago, by putting America into a fight that had no end.  Something so special, that I could never get it back.

“We’re gonna take good care of you two,” he’d promised me as the Secret Service was ushering us out the room, since the ceremony was about to start.  “Don’t you worry about a thing, sweetheart.  We’ll make this right.”

The President of the United States kissed my cheek and hugged me.  I was disgusted.

It was a nice ceremony, although I could tell how nervous Braeden was when he was up on that stage, sitting there next to Anthony, listening to the president praise the two of them.  There were hundreds of people in the room, watching him, and something inside of me was nagging at me, telling me that it was scaring the crap out of Bray.  I watched as his eyes nervously darted around, and could see the thick beads of sweat rolling down his face from my place in the front row.  He was trembling.  All I wanted to do was get him out of there, but I knew I couldn’t.

Anthony and Braeden were both presented with the Bronze Star, the Prisoner of War medal, and the Purple Heart by the Secretary of Defense.  Then Braeden’s big moment came.  He was called forward and President Bush shook his hand and talked to him for a few moments, before placing the Medal of Honor around his neck.  Our families were both going nuts, laughing, crying and clapping for him.  I could see him forcing a smile for them all.  Then he looked at me, and I looked at him.

“I love you.” I mouthed to him, without thinking.

Then I saw it.  That smile.  Braeden’s smile.  The one he only showed to me.  The one that meant he loved me.

The one that meant he knew I wasn’t giving up on us yet.

“Have you even spoken to him?”

I glance back at Charlene as I zip my last suitcase shut.  “He’s been at work, I think.”

“But you left him a message.  Why didn’t he call you back?”
r32;

Charlene has been the one and only person that’s kept a level head during this whole thing.  She’s been the silent partner, stepping back and letting our family invade Braeden’s space.  I know she wants to talk and catch up with him too, but she knows that it’s too much for him right now.  She sacrificed her time with him for my sake I think, so I’d get more of it.  I love her.  I don’t think there’s a thing I could do to repay her for everything she’s done for me on this trip.  I told her about my plans to go back to Colorado.  She didn’t hesitate to tell me she’d come back with me.  It’ll be good for us to spend that time together...all three of us.  She needs her friend back too.

But at the same time, she didn’t hesitate to remind me about Justin’s feelings.  It’s strange.  She’s almost supportive of him now, despite the fact that she didn’t think too highly of him the first time they met.  “I dunno.” I mutter.  “He must be busy.”

“Ab.” She narrows her eyes at me.  “I saw him before we flew out here.  The guy is crazy about you.  Something must have happened.”

I shrug.  “What do you mean?”

“You know...that thing at the airport ended up on the news.”

I stare at her for a moment.  “Yeah, so?”

“So...” she trails off and sighs as she takes a seat on the edge of my bed.  “What if Justin happened to turn on the TV just to see you sucking face with Braeden?”

I laugh.  It’s too unrealistic to consider.  “Do you know what the odds are that he would have tuned into that?”

Her serious demeanor doesn’t waver.  “Stranger things have happened.”

It’s silent.  The more I stand here and stare at her the more I begin to realize that maybe, just maybe...she’s right.  I lean back and my butt hits the bed.  “Oh God,” I croak.

“Yeah,” she scoffs.  “Not so unrealistic, huh?”

I run a hand through my hair.  “Oh my god, Char.”

“What are you going to do?” She asks me quietly.  “What are you and Braeden doing?”

I look at her, my throat too dry to answer her for a moment.  It’s hitting me in the gut like a ten ton weight that Justin might be sitting at home wondering why the fuck he let himself fall in love with me.

Suddenly, everything is starting to seem like a jumbled pile of puzzle pieces with no edges.  There’s no beginning and no end, just one big mess that I can’t put back together, because there is no guide.

“I...at the ceremony...” I trail off.  “I...told Braeden that I loved him.”

“Fuck, Abbey,” she mutters.

I put my head in my hands.  “It just happened.”

Her hand is on my back as I sob, rubbing it gently.  She doesn’t say anything, because she knows I’ve fucked myself real good, and the only thing left for me to do is calm down and face Justin tomorrow.  

“You can’t lead them on,” she tells me, seriously.  “You’re going to have to make a decision this weekend and it’s not going to be easy, or pretty.  I know it’s a lot.  I do.  But I think it’s only fair after everything...”

“Who?” I whimper, cutting her off as I snap my head back to look at her.  “Who do I choose?”

She sighs heavily.  “I don’t know, Abbey.  All I know is that when you fly back to Colorado on Monday, you have to be able to tell Braeden if you’re staying or you’re leaving.  It’s not fair to him Abbey.  He’s been through enough hell.”

I nod a little, hating how my choice has to be made in a weekend.  But it’s the only way, especially because of the boys.  If I stick around for a month and leave, I know it will just do more damage.

I realize I have to be ready to say goodbye if things turn out that way.

But first, I need time with Justin.

“I’m going to get in bed.  Our flight is at nine, so be ready to leave at five.”  She gets up and gives me another sympathetic look, because she knows I’ve barely heard her.  “Are you going to be okay? Do you want me to stay with you?”

“No...I...I’m fine.”  I nod.  “I’ll just go to sleep.”

“You can’t lie to me,” she sighs as she heads for the door.  “Just...try to get some rest, okay?  I’ll be a hallway away if you need me.”

I nod.

The door opens, and closes.

I fall back onto the bed, and sob for awhile.  I reach for my phone next, clutch it in my hand, and debate if I should call him.  If it’s worth it to argue over the phone or in person.

I throw the phone down beside me.

No, I won’t be calling him tonight.

I close my eyes, and sob, trying to fall asleep the best I can.  

I’m half asleep when I hear the knocking at my door. I groan a little, thinking its my parents or my sister.  While I love them, I’m just not in the mood to deal with them right now.  All they’ve been doing lately is talking to me about how great it’s going to be back home with Braeden.  None of them have considered my feelings about Justin, not even my dad.  They just don’t care.

Nobody cares about my life.  They only care about Braeden’s, which I can understand but...but they don’t realize how isolated it makes me feel.

The knocking persists.

I force myself up and stagger to the door, yanking it open.

“Um...hey.”


r32;Braeden is clutching a paper Chick-Fil-A bag in one hand and scratching his brow with the other.  He’s in new clothes, jeans, Nikes, a plaid button down shirt with a white undershirt peeking out from underneath. I wasn’t expecting him.  He told me that the army was making him stay in their psych observation unit for the weekend, and I forced myself to deal with it.  “What...what are you doing here?”

“Time off for good behavior,” he chuckles lightly.  “Or basically, my mom demanded my release so they decided to listen to her and took me here.  That liaison guy is supposed to check in with me like every hour or something over the weekend.” He sighs and rolls his eyes.  “I ran into Charlene...she told me this was your room.  Were you asleep? I figured it was only eight thirty so you might not be.”

“No.” I shake my head and open the door wider for him.  “I couldn’t sleep.”

He steps inside my room slowly and gazes around for several minutes like he’s checking the place over for a bomb, his eyes darting around the room again like they did at the medal ceremony.  I close the door and don’t say anything about it.  He’s fucked up.  I know this and I’m dealing with it.  

“You okay with some company?” He asks me, finally.

“S-sure.”  I run my hand through my hair and move my luggage out of the middle of the room so he won’t trip over it.  I sit down on the bed, and moment later, he sits down beside me, leaving enough room in the middle of us to put the bag of food down.

“You went for a food run?” I chuckle, not quite meeting his gaze.

“I made them go through the drive thru,” he smirks.  “Your food is on the government tip tonight.  Hope your hungry.  Better eat it now before they try to tax us or something.”

I laugh just a little bit.  It’s sweet, that he thought of it.  While we were in high school, almost every Friday night was spent at the local Chick-Fil-A after the game, being loud and rowdy with the entire football team.  It forces me to open the bag and smell inside of it.  The very aroma of that food takes me back, I haven’t had it in years, and I begin to remember why it was that I didn’t want to stop there when we were with the boys.

“Eat something,” he speaks up again as I start to close up the bag.  “I know you probably haven’t.”

“I...”r32;

“Don’t lie to me, Babs,” he smirks.  

I let out a long breath.  He’s right, and I need to stop lying to him, because it’s not getting me anywhere.  I open up the bag again and pull out a chicken sandwich, slowly beginning to unwrap the foil.  He watches me with a small smile on his face, like it means the world to him, being able to do this with me.  “Aren’t you going to eat?”

“I already did,” he nods.  “I can’t eat this stuff yet.  Doctors orders.  He says my stomach isn’t ready.”

I just stare at him.  He tries to keep smiling for me, but when I don’t smile back, it quickly fades away.

“I...I didn’t eat the best while...while I was away,” he whispers.  “I have to eat light for now.  It’s fine.  I’ll be better in a month or so.”

“They starved you?” I whimper, and the sandwich falls out of my hand and onto the floor.

He huffs harshly as he retrieves it.  “Abbey...”

“They did,” I whimper.  “I can’t...I can’t eat this in front of you, Braeden.  What...what are you thinking about...”

“Hey...hey.”

I’m sobbing all over again.  I can’t take it.  I can’t take finding all this horrible stuff out day by day.  I know it’s just the tip of the iceberg, him not being fed, and I have no desire to know what else happened to him in that place.  

“I want you to calm down.”  He puts an arm around me and pulls me down to lean on his shoulder.

I let him, then I feel his lips on my forehead.  

“Sooner or later you’re gonna have to let go and not feel so guilty about things,” he whispers.  “You couldn’t have prevented what they did to me.  I was just on the way here, and we passed the Chick-Fil-A, so I got you something.  I thought you’d like it.  You always loved their food.”

I know I’m overreacting.  He doesn’t need it.  He made every effort to come here and spend some more time with me before I leave tomorrow, and I shouldn’t be acting like this.  “I’m sorry.”

“You better be.  You’re crying about chicken.”

I look up at him slowly, and can’t help the laughter that escapes me.  I laugh and laugh into him so hard, like a crazy person, and I find that he’s doing the same thing as we fall back onto the bed together.  

“When are you getting to town?” He asks me finally, as his laughter dies down.  “Your mom said you were flying back to New York for the weekend.”

“I...” I trail off, holding my stomach as my laughter fades away.  “I guess Monday...or Tuesday.  I’m not sure.”

“They’re supposed to be throwing me some party on Tuesday,” he sighs.  “I won’t let them have it unless you’re there.”

I stare into his eyes.  They’re empty again, dull like before.  Yet, he’s still smiling.  Smiling for me and only me.  “I’ll be there,” I promise him.

 

It's silent for the longest time, before he speaks again.

“What are...what are you doing about...that...guy?”

I close my eyes and let out a long breath, knowing why it was so hard for him to get the words out.  “I don’t know yet.”

I feel his arms around me again.  “Okay.”

My eyes open.  We’re face to face now. He’s staring at me, deep down into me, penetrating my soul, breaking down the barriers that have built up inside of me, regarding my feelings and memories of us.  

“By the way,” he tells me softly.  “I love you too.”

“Braeden...”

He sliences me with a kiss.  it's soft, and long, and soon I feel his hands running themselves all over me, through my hair, over my breasts and down to the waistline of my pants and underneath my top so he can caress my bare skin underneath.  It’s an incredible touch.  Something I never thought I would feel again.  A million tingling sensations rush all over me, through me, telling me I’m ready to have sex with him right now.

But I know we can’t do this.

Not tonight.

“Wait,” I whisper, pulling back from him as his hands reach up over my bra.  “Braeden...wait...”

“How can you ask me to wait?” He whispers into my neck, before he kisses it.  “I’ve already waited seven years.”

I force myself to pull away, even though I’m dying inside, dying for his touch.  The taste of his lips has left me pulsing inside, left my body longing for him.  It’s like...it knows Braeden is back, like it’s been waiting for him to return to me.  “It’s not fair.  I can’t.”

“Not fair to who?” He whispers gently, as he lays there, staring back at me.  “Not fair to him?”

I look away from him. “I can’t do that to him, Bray.  I know it’s hard, and I’m sorry.  But...but I just can’t do it.”

He squeezes his eyes shut and pinches the bridge of his nose, trying to get what I said through his head without freaking out.  “Okay.”  He pulls himself upright again, and takes a deep breath.  “All right.”  He leans in and kisses me on the mouth one last time.  “I’ll see you back home.”

I nod a little.  “I’ll see you there.”

He rises up from the bed and walks slowly over the door, pausing for a long moment as he puts his hand on the knob.  Then he looks back at me.  “If...if you don’t come back,” he whispers.  “I...I get it.  I get why you’d do that.”

“Bray...I didn’t say I wasn’t coming back.”

“He must be special,” he nods.  “You wouldn’t have stopped me tonight otherwise.”

I can’t look at him.  “Yeah. He is.”

“Charlene says he has kids.”

I had no idea they'd even had a chance to talk.  I'm surprised he cared enough to ask her, and more surprised that she went into it with him.  “Brothers,” I croak.  “They’re a lot younger than him.”

“So you’ve been busy I guess.  They got your mind off of me.”

“I never forgot you.”

“He’s rich too, I hear,” he laughs, ignoring me.  “Some wall street big shot, right? It’s fucking crazy how you held up your end of our little bargain, even without a body to prove that I wasn’t coming home.”

He’s bitter.  It’s obvious now.  He’s so bitter and feels like I’m cheating him out of our relationship, when that was never my intention.  “What did you expect me to do?”

“I don’t know...maybe you could have fucking waited for me?”

I rise up slowly, arms crossed sternly over my chest.  He starts to back down.  He knows he’s wrong, but he’s so confused that he can’t suppress his anger right now.  He doesn’t know who to blame for this, and I know he doesn’t want to blame me, but he’s so disappointed that this is the way things are going, he can’t help himself.  “So you would have been happier if I waited around, even if you never came home?”

He rubs his face with his hands.  “I don’t fucking know,” he mutters.  “I just...I fucking need you, Babs.”

“And I need this weekend to figure my life out,” I tell him.

“You know...fine,” he sighs.  “That’s fine. I guess I’ll just wait around and hope that you remember what’s more important to you, me, or some rich asshole who’s never really given a fuck about you in the first place.”

“Braeden, please don’t do this!” I call out, as he swings the door open.

“You need to decide what you want, Abbey.” He replies coldly over his shoulder.  “The girl I remember, always knew what she wanted, and it’s not exactly fair to ask me to wait around.  I’ve waited seven years.  Be fair to us...be fair to yourself.”

He’s out the door within seconds, and I know better than to go after him.  I let what he said sink in deeply, and I realize even though he’s messed up, he’s made valid points.

I sit down on the bed and cry into my hands, and the little voice inside of me decides to come out and play.

Who do you love Abbey? Who do you really, truly love?


“I don’t know,” I whimper.  “I just don’t know.”

Forty One by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Please don't kill me!
It was seven thirty in the morning when the phone rang, and I could barley crawl across the room to pick it up from the place on the floor it had landed when I dropped it the night before.  My head was pounding and the room was spinning.  Two bottles of wine all to myself had done me in hardcore.  I managed to pick up the call just before it went to voicemail, not being able to read the screen because my vision was so blurry. I hung onto the back of the couch and roughly slid down to the carpeted floor.  “‘Timber...lake...”

“Justin! Justin!”

I groaned.  It was Austin.  “Hey Bud,” I croaked.  “You okay?”

“Yeah! But, they have this cool game here that I want!” He yelled.  

My head pounded harder, and I wanted to rip into him for calling me so early in the morning about something so ridiculous, but I couldn’t.  I just...loved him.  It came rushing back to me right away, the fact that the boys were such a huge part of my life, and would continue to be whether Abbey was around or not.  “And you’re up playing it right now, huh?” I chuckled, and winced because it made my head hurt more.  “Did you eat?”

“Yeah! We got up at six!” He said excitedly.  “We’re going to the Statue of Liberty today!”

“Cool,” I said, trying to sound enthusiastic.  “Make sure Davey doesn’t unzip his jacket, all right?”

“Okay!  So...they have this cool game here, and I really want it, and I know we just had Christmas but...will you get it for me?”

“Slow down,” I laughed.  “What is it that you want?”

“Metro Rider!” He yelled.  “Davey wants it too, right Davey?”

I could hear my youngest brother in the background, shouting that it was the coolest game ever, and couldn’t help but laugh some more.  It started to me feel just a little bit better, took me away from my reality for a few minutes.  “Sure.  I’ll have it for you when you get home.”  

“Thank you!  Thank you!” he exclaimed.  “Is Abbey back yet? I want to tell her something.”

My smile faded away, the mention of her name reminding me of everything I’d been thinking about while she’d been gone, and the very reason I was hungover in the first place.  “She’s...she’s not in yet, buddy.”

“Oh...”

I was silent for a moment, as I rubbed my face tiredly.  “You better get going.  Don’t hang on the phone.  That’s rude to do when you’re a guest.”

“Okay...” he trailed off, the despair in his voice apparent.

I couldn’t lie to myself anymore.  It had been a week, and he hadn’t been the same since he’d seen Abbey on the TV, kissing some other guy.  He knew something was wrong, but he hadn’t come right out and asked me the questions I expected him to.  Davey didn’t seem to remember the newscast, thankfully.  He was still a little young to have a grip on things like romance and cheating girlfriends.

“Call me tonight, okay?” I whispered.

“Justin.”

He said it gently and I tried to hold my breath, but it made me feel sick so I decided not to do that.  I started to loosen my tie, realizing for the first time that I’d slept in my work clothes.  I was a mess, and I was glad the boys were away.  They didn’t need to see me that way...drunk, hungover.  I wouldn’t have been a very good role model.  “Yeah, Aus?”

“Is Abbey...is Abbey coming home?”

I sucked in a long breath.  “Yeah, of course,” I forced a small chuckle.  “She actually called me the other day and said she would be back some time today.”

It wasn’t a lie.  She had, in fact, said that in her voice mail, but Austin didn’t need to know the details.  He was just a kid and I could still make him believe anything I told him, well, most of the time anyway.

“Why did she leave?”

“I told you,” I said it quickly, because I was trying my hardest to get him off the phone.  “She went to see her family.”
 
“But...but you love her.  She’s not supposed to kiss somebody else, is she?”

I sighed heavily.  “Austin, I have to go.  We can talk about this when you get home, right?”

“What if she decides she wants to kiss that man, forever?”

I put my head in my hands and held the phone away from my ear for a few seconds, praying that he wouldn’t hear me sobbing. I was so hungover and depressed that I couldn’t help myself, but I still felt like a fucking asshole.  “Don’t worry about it.  Go have fun with your brother and the other kids.”

“If Abbey comes back will you send Quincy to come get us?” He asked me next, in a pleading tone.  

I sighed.  “Sure, bud.  Have a nice time.  Look out for your brother.”

I hung up after that, to ensure he wouldn’t be able to ask me anymore questions, and then I proceeded to vomit in the nearest bathroom. It was pure alcohol, disgusting.  I spent the rest of the morning hunched over my toilet, ruining a perfectly good Armani dress shirt over the fact that Abbey’s long lost lover had returned from the war.  I laughed, coughed, vomited, and laughed some more.  It was like a fucking movie, unreal as hell.  How could it happen to me?

He was supposed to be dead, gone forever.

I didn’t wish death on anybody.  I never had, not even when I was a fucking asshole.  It wasn’t right.  There was no need for it...

But in that moment, I wished like hell that Braeden had never found his way home.

Abbey was the love of my life.  It was my turn because he’d gone away, through no fault of his own.  It wasn’t his fault but it wasn’t fair that he could come back and sweet talk her back into his life.  She was supposed to love me.  That was supposed to prevail.  Couldn’t she think? Didn’t she know how fucking hurt I would be when I found out that they’d slipped right back into their relationship?

I knew her well, and I knew that she had to know.

And the fact that she did what she did on national TV, showed me that she didn’t care how I felt.

It was all about her and what she needed then.  She pretty much said, ‘screw Justin,’ when she let him kiss her like that.  It didn’t matter what I’d given her, how much I loved her, how much I’d completely changed my life so we could be happy together with the boys.  All of it was thrown out the window when Braeden Sampson walked off that airplane.

I felt like I was nothing to her.  Vapor.  Like a new stock we would buy into, get all excited about, and then quickly sell back when we realized it wasn’t benefiting us after all.

That was me.  Never worth the investment.

I managed to get myself in the shower once I’d gotten control of my stomach, and rinsed the puke off my face.  It felt good, refreshing.  It woke me up a little more, helped my headache a little bit.  I sank down to the floor and let the water pour over me for a long time.  I realized I was crying at one point, forced myself to stop, and got out of the shower.  My skin was wrinkled and red from the steam.  I wrapped a towel around myself and cleared the condensation off the mirror so I could look back at myself.

I never looked so bad before.  So sick.  I was pale, tired, overburdened with worry.  I shaved, even though I didn’t see the point.  I felt more like myself when I was finished though, which was a good thing.  I went out into the bedroom and got dressed in a polo and jeans, deciding I would make the best of things and go get Austin his game, figuring getting out would take my mind off my problems.

“Hello!”

The door slammed.

I froze.

It’s been about ten minutes.

I know she’s in the house.

“Boys!” I hear her call out.

Silence.

I hear her footsteps on the stairs.  I want to jump out the window but that...that just wouldn’t end well and where would the boys be if I died? No, can’t do it.  I sit down on the bed.  She’s out in the hallway now.  I hear her luggage clunk down onto the hardwood floor.
r32;“Hello?”

I stare at my closed bedroom door.  

“In here.”

Damn it.

It opens.  She walks through, looking...looking just fucking beautiful.  It makes me want to break down all over again, knowing I’m going to lose her, but I refuse to let that side show.  I can’t.  I gotta be strong and prepared, just like I when I left my parents behind so many years ago.  I get up from the bed, and cross my arms as I stare at her.

“Hey.”  She smiles slightly.

“Hi.”

She runs a hand through her hair, and I know she’s uneasy.  Whether or not she knows how frustrated and upset I am with her right now is a mystery, but I have a horrible feeling that I won’t hesitate to let her know.  

“Where...where are the boys?”

“With Dennis and Trish,” I nod.

“Oh...well, okay.”  She shrugs a little bit and removes her scarf as she walks towards the closed closet doors.

I sit back down on the bed.

“So, what’s...”  She cuts herself off when she opens the doors, and stares inside of my closet, realizing her clothes aren’t there.  She turns back around.  “Justin,” she says, so softly.  “What happened to my things?”

“They’re in the spare bedroom down the hall.”

She licks her lips.  “W-why?”

She’s acting clueless, but I know better.  She knows exactly why, and I hate...I hate that she’s being so damn fake right now.  When did this start? When did she change?

Oh yeah, when her solider boy came back home to her.

“Really, Ab?” I crack a sarcastic smile as I shake my head and laugh a little.  “You’re gonna pull this?”  I get up from the bed and stand before her, arms still crossed, daring her to act clueless again.

“Justin, I was going to talk to you about this.  I wish you would have called...”

I hold a hand up to silence her.  “I think you said it all when you made out with him at the airport.”

She looks down at her feet.  “So you did see that.”

“Yeah, sorry.  I’m sure you meant to keep that a secret too.”

“I wasn’t going to keep it from you,” she says, sending me a hurtful gaze.  “That’s why I called.  I wanted to talk.”

“Yeah? Well, I didn’t want to fucking talk,” I snap at her.  “Did you have a nice time, Ab?  Did you and Braeden “bond”?”  

“You’re overreacting.”

“I’m overreacting!” I yell.  “You made out with him on national fucking TV, and I’M OVERREACTING?”

She just stares at me, knowing I’ve lost my mind completely.  “You’ve lost it,” she croaks.  “You look like hell, Justin.  What the hell have you been doing? I can smell it, the wine...how much did you have?”

“Did you fuck him too, Ab?” I sneer, ignoring her questions.

Her mouth hangs open for a moment.

“You must have,” I laugh bitterly.  “And if you didn’t, you will.  What happened, huh? Did he sweep you off your feet with his self righteous, all American bullshit?  Tell you that your good for nothing boyfriend back home didn’t matter?”

“I didn’t do anything more than you saw,” she grits out.  “He wanted to but...I wouldn’t let him.  I would never do that to you.”

I raise an eyebrow.  “What do you mean, he wanted to?”

She lets out a rough sounding sigh and puts a hand to her forehead.  “He...he wanted to but...but I stopped him, that’s all.”

“So he was touching you.”

“Well...it...”

“Was he or wasn’t he?” I mutter, my eyes narrowed at her.

She won’t look at me.  “Yeah.  He was.”

I laugh bitterly, and rub my top lip.  “So you lied.  You said all you did was kiss and now you’re telling me he tried to have sex with you?”

“It just happened,” she tells me, the tears filling her eyes now, and spilling out of them.  “I’m sorry, Justin.  I am.  I was an emotional mess and I have no excuse for it, but it doesn’t mean I don’t love you, all right?”

I stare back at her, knowing she’s speaking from the heart.  I hate that she is.  That she can give me that kind of an explanation for what she did, like it will make everything just fine between us.  I can’t...I can’t accept it.  I would never go and feel up some other woman because I was “a mess.”

That shit just doesn’t sit well with me.

I’m disgusted, and I hate that I am, but I can’t deny it any longer.

“So what now?” I ask her.  “Why’d you even come back? To tell me this shit?  You should have just stayed away, Abbey.”

“I came back because I love you. Why...why can’t you just let me sit with you and talk this out?”

“We’ve talked enough,” I grunt.  “Really, what more is there to say?  Braeden is home.  You don’t need me anymore.  Fuck the ring, fuck Paris...fuck it all.  It’s just a waste of time now, because you never cared about us.  It’s always been about him.”  

“You know that’s not true,” she whimpers.

“It’s pretty apparent that it is.”

I walk out on her.

“Justin!”

I’m downstairs in seconds, throwing my jacket on, determined to leave for the store, to let her suffer here on her own, let her know what it feels like to live like I have for a week.  I hear her pounding down the steps, calling out my name, and I try hard to get out before she catches up with me, but she’s too quick.  She stands in front of the door when I reach it, tears streaminge down her fac, a pleading gaze in her eyes, telling me that she doesn’t want to lose me.

A small voice inside tells me that I don’t want to lose her either.

But I push it away, push her away, because I can’t do this.  I can’t wait around, hope that she’ll decide not to go back to him.

I have to protect myself.

 “Let me explain.”

“I told you,” I say, my stern tone not relenting.  “I’m done talking about it and I’m fucking done with you.”

She sobs.  “Baby...please...”

“No.”

“We...we’re a family,” she tells me next.  “What about the boys, Justin?  What about everything we’ve done for them, together?  How happy we’ve been?”

“We were never a fucking family.  Me and the boys...that’s a family.  You’ve just been around.”

She shakes her head.  “Don’t say that.”r32;
“Why,” I say.  “It’s the truth.”

She steps forward and reaches out to touch my face. I hate that I let her do it.  Something inside of me won’t stop her though, and my eyes close at her touch, because I love it.

But I just don’t know if I’m in love with her anymore.

“Justin, I love you,” she whimpers.  “I want to be with you.”

I open my eyes and pull her hand away, gently pushing it down to her side.  “I...I don’t think I can love you, or be with you.  Not like this.”

“Don’t...don’t give up on me,” she cries, desperate now.  I hate it.  I hate what this is doing to her.  She’s turning into a wreck before my eyes, and it would be easier if I could just get out of here, but she’s not going to give up without a fight, and I know that.  I know her.  I know how tough she can be when she wants something, and right now, I don’t think she’s wanted anything more in her life.

But it’s...it’s too late.

Protecting myself and they boys is key.

“Braeden came home,” she whispers, moments later.  “He came home, Justin.  After everything we’ve talked about and confided in one another, I thought you would be the one person who really understood why I needed to go do what I did.”

“I had no problem with you visiting him,” I say to her.  “You took it further.”

This is going nowhere. We’re going around in a sick, twisted, circle and it’s driving us both completely crazy.

“Please don’t push me away,” she says softly.  

I back away from her, turn my back to her for several minutes, contemplating what the hell I’m supposed to do.  I know she can’t stay, and I can’t be with her.  It hurts too much and I know that if I give her another chance, in six months...Braeden will contact her and convince her to go back to him.  I couldn’t deal with that.  

I have to get out.  Now.  While I still have some dignity.

“Justin, please,” she speaks up hoarsely.  “Please look at me.”

I do, and take in a long breath before I start to speak again.  “I don’t care about you anymore,” I begin.

She sobs into her hands.

“Maybe...maybe I never did,” I continue, holding back all the emotions inside of me as she sinks to her knees. “Maybe I was lonely...overwhelmed between work and the boys, and I allowed myself to get closer to you.  Maybe I forced myself to believe that I’d fallen in love,” I say.  “You’re looking for that from me now.  You’re looking for me to just...fall apart and break down, get all sappy and tell you that I can’t live without you, that I don’t care what you did with Braeden.  I’m not a fucking wimp, Abbey.  You and me had a nice run, but now it’s over.  That’s all.  There’s no more to be said.  So just pack your bags...leave.  Go fuck your long lost lover and have a nice life.”

She’s a complete mess now.  I have good grip on how she feels, like her insides have been ripped out of her body, stomped on and crammed back in senselessly.  It’s the way I’ve felt all week, and...months ago when I didn’t have a soul, I would be smiling right now.

But all I can do right now is try desperately to hold my sobs back from her, until she’s out of my sight.

“I want you out,” I say to her next, gently.  “I’ll send for the boys tonight so you can say your goodbyes, but I want you out of the house by Monday.”  

She won’t say anything more.  Won’t beg or plead for the survival of our relationship.  She’s too busy curled up on the floor, crying, because what I said was extremely harsh.

But it had to be done, for her own good.

I know she wants to leave.

I’m making it easy for her.

“You better start packing, Abbey.”

She just cries.

I step over her and leave my house, slamming the door behind me without looking back.

I ride the elevator down, walk a couple of blocks, reach a bench and sit.  I look straight out into the busy city street, watching the traffic float by endlessly, watching the people on the other side of the street walking and talking together, going about their lives like they don’t have a care in the world.

I wonder what they think of me right now.  They probably just think I’m some regular Joe, relaxing on a park bench on this brisk January day.

But there’s so much more going on with me.

The first tear seeps out of my eye, and trails down my face.  I sob, trying to tell myself it was just a pathetic cough, but I know I’m not kidding anybody.  I lean over, place my face in my hands, and sob again, for real this time...

Knowing I’ve just lost the most important part of my world.
Forty Two by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Wow here is another chapter...yikes. I hope you guys are enjoying this! More soon!
It was all so fast.  

First I was in love, raising those boys, and enjoying my new life with my boyfriend.

Then I was packing my bags, crying, knowing Justin wanted nothing to do with me ever again.

I kept thinking to myself...how did it happen? How did it all fall apart so fast? I couldn’t come up with a good answer.  It just didn’t make sense.  I was wrong, yes, in a lot of ways, but I thought Justin would be able to understand, at least talk to me about it, because the bond we shared was so strong.  I thought we would be able to come to a solution...

Because on the flight back to New York, I realized that I may have wanted to stay with Justin more than I originally thought.

But he didn’t even want to listen to me, or try to salvage our relationship,

It was like, he’d started to slip back into that arrogant jerk that I despised so much.  He didn’t care that I’d been an emotional mess since the day Barbara called.  He only knew one thing, that I’d been physical with Braeden, and it made him shut me out completely.

“He got scared.”  Charlene dumps a drawer full of clothes into a box.  “So he freaked out and dumped you, like a stupid asshole.  Personally, if he wants to act like a God damned child, I say let him.  But if you’re this upset about it, you should try to talk him one more time before you leave.”

I’ve been sitting on the bed for hours, watching her empty my belongings into boxes and suitcases.  As it turns out, I compiled a lot of shit while I’ve been living here.  Most of it is articles of clothing that Justin let me use his credit card to pay for.  I’m putting it all in boxes and leaving it for him with the receipts so he can get his money back.  I’m so grateful that I picked up the trait of saving everything, from my mother.  

“I can’t talk to him.”  I fold up the edges of the box and seal it shut with some packing tape.  “He refuses to come near me.”

I cried on the floor for hours after he walked out on me that day.  The things he said to me and the bitter, cold way he put them, pushed me over the edge.  I’d had such an emotional roller coaster of a week, and sure, I knew coming home and explaining it all to Justin was going to be rough.

But I never counted on it being that bad.

I never counted on him telling me he didn’t care about me, or love me anymore. That...maybe he never had.

I think that crushed me the most.

I’ve been walking around like a zombie since then, feeling like my insides have been torn apart and put back inside me again.  The boys didn’t come home that night, despite the fact that Justin said he was going to send for them.  I knew he only lied to me because I had, in his terms, lied to him.  It was a mind game that I didn’t want to play, and when he didn’t come home that night either, I knew he was serious.  He didn’t want to be with me anymore, and I had to calm down, suck it up, and move on.  Move on because I still had other things in my life that I had to take care of, regardless of my status with Justin.

Like Colorado and Braeden.    

Even though his mother and his military liaison didn’t want him to, Braeden came to see Charlene and I off at the airport that morning anyway.  He was slowly starting to break away from his mother’s protective hold over him, regain his personal strength that I knew so well and loved.  By the time I was back in Colorado, I was sure I would be seeing a completely different version of Braeden.  A stronger one, a freer one.  I didn’t know how different he would be from the guy I remembered, but I hoped, if anything, it would be a more positive change than negative.

Braeden and Charlene hugged for a few minutes when we reached the security checkpoint, and she began to yak his ear off for a while after that about various things that ‘he better do’ before we got home.  He was laughing.  It was the laugh I remembered.  The one I hadn’t been able to remember after he’d been gone for a few years, and I caught myself in a silly smile.

But it faded away quickly.  

Charlene told me she would meet me at the gate, after she was through lecturing Braeden, and left us alone to say goodbye.  I sort of stood there, knowing how awkward the previous evening had been for us, and I didn’t know if he even wanted to talk to me before I went through the security checkpoint.

“I’ll see you Tuesday,” I promised, forcing a smile for him as I slung my carry on over my shoulder, and started to walk away.

“Babs.”  

I felt him tugging on my carry on, and it forced me to stop short, and look back at him.

“I was out of line...last night,” he confessed, softly.  “I shouldn’t have pushed you physically and...I shouldn’t have said...what I said, to you either.  It’s your decision, whatever you do.  It doesn’t make you selfish.”

It was genuine.  There was no denying that.  It was how Braeden had always been when I had been with him.  He hated to fight with me.  In fact, throughout our entire relationship, I could only remember us having one or two major disagreements.  “I get it.  I know...I know this has been really hard for you, Bray.  I won’t hold it against you.”

“It’s been hard for you too.”

He was right.

“Whatever happens...” He began as he stepped up to me and held my hands in his.  “I can live with it, as long as I know you’re happy.”

I smiled a little, feeling the tears welling up behind my eyes.  “Bray...I...”

He kissed me again, just once.  “Tuesday.  I’ll see you then.  We’ll talk, okay?”

I pressed my lips together and looked down at his hands that were still in mine.  “I don’t know what’s going to happen with us, and I don’t want you to expect anything, Bray.  I couldn’t live with myself if I hurt you more.”

“We were friends first, Babs.  Always.”  

I looked up at him.  There was a hint of light in his eyes, for the first time since he’d been brought back home, and I knew he was learning how to appreciate just...being around me again, while putting the physical stuff to the side.  “We were,” I said lightly.

He smiled.  “Then that’s what I’ll consider us for now.  Best friends.”

We hugged one last time, long and hard, before he told me to have a safe flight.

I left him standing there in the airport, completely uncertain of what was going to happen when I saw him again.  He’d backed off.  He was giving me that time to talk to Justin and figure things out, because he loved me enough to let me go.  It was uncanny because it was the same thing Justin had done with me originally...

Only, I’d done things with Braeden that I knew Justin wouldn’t necessarily be happy about.  I was certain though, that our relationship was too strong, that we loved each other too much, to let something like that rip us apart.  I was determined to be straightforward with him, convincing myself it was the key to our relationships survival.  On the way back to New York, I could feel in my heart that Justin...Justin was the one I belonged with.  That he was waiting for me and he loved me.

But I was so wrong.

“That’s the last of the crap.”  Charlene puts her hands on her hips after she finishes sliding the last dresser drawer back into place.  “Do you have everything you’re bringing?”

I close and seal the last box Charlene has prepped.  “Yeah.  It’s by the door.”

“Great.  You wanna go then?  We can probably get a bite to eat before we go to the airport.”

I look around the room for a moment before slowly sitting back down on the bed.  No, I’m not ready to go. I’m ready to talk to Justin, to settle things, to get him to accept what I did and allow me to stay here and work things out.  

The truth is, no matter how laid back Braeden is going to try to be with me, I’m fucking terrified of spending time with him back home.  I care about him, yeah, but I don’t know him anymore, even though he thinks I do.  I’m fucking confused.  The only person I really know anymore, is Justin.  I need him.  I wish...I wish I never went to DC, but that’s so unrealistic.

I sob, because I know I have to leave, and the worst part about it is, the boys aren’t even here.  How Justin expects me to leave without saying goodbye is beyond me.  It makes me want to resent him.

But I can’t.  I don’t have it in me.

“Stop crying,” Charlene pulls on my hand.  “You have to stop, Abbey.  It didn’t work out, and I’m sorry but you have other things to concentrate on.”

I nod a little.

And then I hear it...doors slams followed by echoing voices downstairs.

“No Austin! Give it back!”

Laughter.

“Hey...Austin!” Justin’s voice booms.  “Give that back to him, right now.”

“Oh God.”  I sit back down on the bed and put a hand to my forehead.

“I knew we should have left sooner,” Charlene mutters.  “This is going to turn into a mess.  You better believe the minute he starts in with you, he’s going to get a cold slap of reality, with my very own fist.”

“Char.” I narrow my eyes.

“Come on.” She pulls me up from the bed.  “We’re leaving.”

She grabs one of my large suitcases, and has me grab the other one. That’s it.  That’s everything I came here with, plus a few things I bought for myself when I was on Justin’s payroll.  It’s pathetic.  I look like a pauper compared to him.  It’s no wonder I’m not good enough to be with him anymore.

We walk downstairs together, and when we reach the bottom, that’s when I see them.  Justin is sitting on the couch with the boys, playing with his Blackberry while the boys watch cartoons and wrestle with each other.  He doesn’t look up at us, but I know he can tell that we’re standing here.  

“Abbey! Abbey when did you come home!”

Austin is smiling at me, having noticed me within seconds.  It gets Davey to perk up and greet me with a big hello, too.

I feel sick.

“H-hey guys,” I smile.  “Did you have fun at Dennis’s house?”

“Yeah,” Austin nods, before looking at the suitcase in my hand.  “Why didn't you leave that upstairs?”

Really? I look at Justin.  He completely ignores me and continues to press the buttons on his Blackberry.  He didn’t tell them.  He was too much of a coward to do it.  I sigh and put my suitcase down on the ground.  “Come here,” I tell him gently.

The excited gleam in his eyes fades away, and he slides off the couch and walks over to me, Davey right behind him.  I crouch down as they stand in front of me, look down at the hardwood floor for a moment, before I find the courage to tell them the truth.  “I...I have to leave.”

“For your family?” Davey asks, his head cocked to the side.

I suck in a breath.  “Kind of.  Yes.”

“But you’re coming back,” Austin blurts out.  “Right? On the weekend?”

I suck in my bottom lip, and look back to Justin, hoping he’ll be paying attention this time.  But still, he’s not. He’s resting the side of his face against his fist as he flips through the television channels.  I look at Charlene.

“Tell them, Ab.”

I know that’s the best advice I’m going to get.

“I...” I pause to collect my emotions.  “I don’t know when I’ll be back, Aus.”

“But why?”  He turns back around, to face Justin this time.  “Why is Abbey leaving!” He yells at him.

But Justin doesn’t answer.

I wish I had a better explanation.  One that wouldn’t make him resent me, or Justin.  But I just don’t, and I don’t want to tell him the truth, either.  He’s been messed up enough, and doesn’t need me create more issues for him.  “Austin...”

“I saw you kissing that man on the TV.”

Fucking great.

“Abbey, why do you want to be with him for?” Austin says next.  “I thought you liked it here.”

I shake my head.  “It’s not that I want to be there more than here, Austin.  Sometimes things...just don’t turn out like you want them to.”

I stare at Justin again.

This time, I see him slightly glance at me, but he quickly catches himself and goes back to the TV.

“Don’t leave, Abbey,” Davey whispers.

It takes everything in me not to start bawling right there in front of him.  Instead, I lean forward and kiss his cheek before ruffling his hair.  “I’ll miss you, Dave.  I want you to be good, okay? Pay attention in school and listen to Justin.  I’ll send you letters.”

But he doesn’t smile, doesn’t like my proposition at all.  His bottom lip trembles, and then he’s sobbing, running way from me before I can hug him one last time.

Then it’s just Austin.  He’s standing there, staring at me, like it’s just hitting him now.  That I’m not going to be here on Monday to get him up for school, to pick him up, take him to the park, tuck him in at night, or do any of the things he loves to do with me ever again.  He’s losing me.

“I’m coming with you, Abbey!”

“Austin...you can’t.”

“Yes I can!”  

He runs off, probably to get his things.  I slowly rise to my feet again, wiping my eyes, and looking at Charlene for some support.  

“Let’s go before he can get back out here,” she says, with a warning tone in her voice.

“I’ll be right out.”

She sighs, probably because she knows I’m going to try to talk to Justin.  “Ab.”

“I’ll be right out.”

“God, fine.”

She walks out with both of our suitcases, not saying a word to Justin.  I’m glad.  I didn’t want a huge screaming match to break out between them.  Not in front of the kids.

“You can go,” Justin speaks up suddenly, not taking his focus off the TV screen “He’ll get over it.”

I scoff.  “Right.  Just like he got over his parents.”

He actually turns his head to look at me this time.  “Don’t start.”

“Why can’t we talk?”

“I’m not having this discussion.”  He waves me off with his hand.  “If you’re going, go.  If not, you have until tomorrow to get your shit together.”

“This isn’t how you are, Justin,” I persist.  “You’re better than this.  You’re scared and I know you’re just hiding from me.”

He turns back to the TV, ignoring what I’ve told him.

I know I’ve lost him.  Completely.

“Back.”  

Austin slides to a stop in front of me, little suitcase in his hand, jacket on, ballcap pulled down over his curls.  “Let’s go,” he says.

“Austin.  You have to stay here,” I tell him, more firmly.  “You have to.”

“No!  No! I’m not letting you leave me!”  He cries.

Against, Justin does nothing.

I hate myself for what I have to do now.  I bend down, and pull him close to me, hugging him for a long time as he cries into my chest.  “Take care of your brothers,”I whisper as I pull back from him.  “Do you promise?”

“No,” he sobs.  “I’m coming with you.”

“Goodbye Austin.”  I shake my head, regretfully, as I turn my back on him and walk to the door.

I hear him behind me.  I choose to ignore it as I open the door.  I look back into the house one last time, getting a final look at Justin.

His hand is over his eyes.  He doesn’t know I’m watching.  I want to call out to him, tell him I love him.

But I know it’s just too late for that now.

So I walk out.

“Abbey!”

Austin runs after me on my way to the elevator.  I’m sobbing harder, whimpering.  I know he’s going to follow me until he can’t do it anymore, and that hurts so bad.  Why can’t he just be a good kid and shut himself in his room like Davey?

Because Austin is older.

Austin looks to me as his mother now, more so than Davey ever will.

I can’t take it.

“God, I thought you were never going to come out.” Charlene says, when I walk out of the building.  She’s tossing my stuff into the trunk of a taxi cab.  “Come on, the meter is running.”

“We have a problem.”
r32;“Huh?”

Suddenly the door to Justin’s building flies open. Out runs Austin, ready to go.

“Oh,” Charlene sighs.  “Well...you work on that.”  She opens the door to the taxi and gets inside.

Nice.

“See, there’s room for me,” Austin persists, running over to the cab.  I can see Charlene inside, motioning for the driver to lock the doors.  I hear them click shut just as Austin tries to open the back one.  He tugs and pulls, his face turning red, the tears running down his face.  He’s desperate, and I wish I could bring him with me.

But I can’t.

“Austin.”  I pry him away from the door.  He’s still crying, desperate not to lose me.  “Austin, I know you want to come with me, but you can’t.  Who’s going to watch over Davey and help take care of Justin?”

“I don’t care,” he moans.

The horn beeps.  I know we have to leave.

“I love you,” I say to him, as I run my hands over his face one last time.  “I always will.”  I bend down and kiss his face, before motioning for Charlene to unlock my door so I can get in.

“No!” He pleads as I begin to get in the car.  “Abbey! No! Take me! Take me with you! P-please!”

“I love you, Austin,” I cry.

Then I pull the door closed in his face.  

He pounds on the window, screaming for me to come out, pulling on the door handle even though the door has been locked.  

“Miss?” The cab driver says.

“Just go,” I whisper.

“ABBEY!!”

He screams like somebody is killing him, as the car slowly begins to pull away from the curb.

I’ve only ever cried this hard for Braeden and Justin.

I see him running down the sidewalk as we drive away.  He’s running so hard, desperate to keep up.  

We turn the corner.  

I see him in the rearview mirror, stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, panting harshly.  He’s given up.

“I’m sorry,” Charlene says a moment later, once Austin is completely out of site.  

“Me too.”
Forty Three by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:

I have recieved so much feedback over the last day or so. Thank you all so much for your support! It's 3am and i've been working tirelessly, determined to get another chapter up before i must pass out. Enjoy!

March

Austin’s birthday was last week.  I had circled it on the little magnetic calendar that the VA gave us during ‘gift bag day.’  I sat at the tiny kitchen table with my coffee, thinking about him, about Davey, about what they were doing.  I hoped they were having a good time, that Austin got everything he wanted, and then some.

Most of all though, I hoped Justin was okay.  That he hadn’t slipped back into a tyrant, and that he was still there for the boys.  I hoped he realized what he had, what responsibilities he had to take on because I wasn’t around anymore.  I prayed that he hadn’t simply hired some woman off the street to be their new nanny.  The boys were too good for that.  They needed somebody around who knew them...who loved them.

But they weren’t my life anymore.  I had to realize that, and I was...more and more everyday.  It was a slow process, letting them go...

Letting Justin go.  Letting my love for him fade away.  

“This is the dozenth time I’ve been down here since January.  When am I going to get what I need?”

“It does take some time, as we’ve discussed.  The application has been put through, we’re just waiting on it to come back.  Things will begin to come together once that happens.”

I look down at my lap and close my eyes, hating that we’ve hit another brick wall.

“That’s not good enough.  This is bullshit.  I can’t wait around anymore.”

Braeden is on the brink of flipping out on her, and I can’t blame him.  We’ve been up since six, to make sure we could be at the door to the social security office by seven, and even then, we still had to wait forty five minutes to speak with somebody.

Apparently, when you’re labeled “legally dead,” you also lose your status in the world.  

Upon his return to Colorado, Braeden was informed that he no longer had a social security number, that his birth certificate was invalid, and that he would have to retake his driving exam if he wanted his license reinstated.  He couldn’t obtain a drivers license without a valid birth certificate, he couldn’t obtain a valid birth certificate without a social security number, and it was all because his mother insisted on declaring him dead.  He learned all this the hard way, when he went to the bank.  It was the day before I got into town, and he went on his own, only to be told he wasn’t allowed to access his funds.  The funds I’d protected for so many years. He was so angry at Barbara for forcing his death certificate through.  I didn’t witness it, but from what Hannah told me, their fight was really bad.  He felt betrayed by her, and she felt that she’d done what was best for their family at the time.  They didn’t speak to each other for days, and they’re barely on good terms again now.

Needless to say, it’s made my life a hell of a lot easier.

She avoids me, and Braeden avoids her.

This whole thing would be easier if he could hire a great lawyer to get the paperwork moving and sorted properly, but there’s no money for that.  It’s strange.  I was wrapped up in Justin’s world for so long that I forgot what it was like to worry about money.  Being back home reminded me just how important it was, and how hard you have to work to have a comfortable life.

Not everyone can be a billionaire.

Barbara’s cancer had taken its toll on the Sampson’s finances more so than I thought. Since I left for New York shortly after Braeden went missing, I never found out how hard things became for them.  Sammy had to take a second job, third shift at a local retail store, and with Barbara’s part time work in a florist shop, they were just managing to scrape by.  She couldn’t work full time.  Her cancer had gone into remission, but her body was never the same.  She was weak, and tired a lot.  Fifteen hours a week was all she could pull without getting sick, sometimes less.  Braeden told me that they’d sold his car while he was gone, to help with the bills.  A 1998 Mustang that he worked countless hours of overtime to pay for.  It had been navy blue, with chrome rims.  They sold it for eight grand.

He’d payed fifteen.

It was so upsetting because I knew he treasured that car.  We used to go for long drives in it whenever he was home from a long tour, talk about what our lives would be like in ten years.  Where we would be, what our kids would be like, and what we would be doing.

We never counted on all of this.  I wish we had.  I wish we’d prepared ourselves for the worst thing that could possibly happen.  But we were too naive.  Braeden thought he was invincible and so did I.  

I guess we’re paying for it now.

“Do you have council?” The woman asks him after a moment.  “Most of the time, they can petition the courts to move things along much faster for you.”

He rubs his forehead with his hand and laughs a little bit.  “I have no money for a lawyer, and I won’t be able to get the money, because I can’t work without a social security card.”

She sucks in a long breath, and stares down at Braeden’s case file once more.  His military liaison sent it along with him when he was granted permission to go back home, knowing he would need it to sort out his mess of a life.  It made me hate the military more.  It was like...once they declared him competent enough to live his life on his own, that was it.  They sent him home, said they would contact him about his discharge in a few weeks.  Then he was on his own, completely.

It was like they didn’t give a shit that his life was destroyed.  

It simply wasn’t their problem anymore.

“It’s a different case,” the woman says.  “Very rare.  If I talk to my boss, I might be able to do something for you in a month, but I can’t promise.”

“That’s the best you can do?”

It takes her a moment.  “I’m sorry.”

Braeden snatches his file off of her desk.  “This is a big waste of my damn time!  What the fuck do I have to do? Do you want see my back? You wanna see what the bastards did to me? Will that get your boss to do his damn job?”

She stares back at him, her eyes filled with fear, because he’s literally screaming at her.

“Bray.”  I stand up and put a hand on his arm.  “Calm down.  There’s nothing she can do.”

He yanks away from me and sends the woman another angry glare.  “I’m sick of you people and your god damn procedures!”

He bangs out of her office, leaving me standing there, looking foolish.

It wasn’t’ always like this.  He was never as explosive as he’s been lately.  When I first came home things were...calmer.  He was still adjusting then, still getting used to being home, being free.  It was easier then.

Now it’s just getting harder, all the time.

There’s the money in the bank of course, untouched, and because my name is on the account, we can access it whenever we want to.  Braeden did go see a lawyer about getting this whole thing sorted out too, but the guy wanted almost ten thousand dollars to do it.  He didn’t want to throw almost half the money he’d saved away like that though, and I couldn’t blame him.  It wouldn’t be right because he’d worked so hard for it, and it was all the money he had in the world.  So he decided to take matters into his own hands.

But it’s like...none of these agencies want to work for him.  They’re just taking their time with Braeden’s life, while in the mean time he has to sit around, unemployed, depending on me to drive him everywhere.  I think that’s half his issue.  He has too much time to dwell on shit, to remember the past.  The people down at the VA have been trying to get him into a hobby, paint by numbers or some other bullshit, like he’s some kind of mindless invalid.  Of course he thinks it’s a damn joke, and doesn’t hesitate to tell them all how lame he thinks they are.  They had a priest come talk to him once.  That was the day he walked five and a half miles to my job, just to get away from that place.

I try not to take him there so much anymore, but lately I feel like I have no choice.

I can’t leave him alone in the apartment.  He doesn’t do well by himself.

I’m not around for him in the mornings like I was in the beginning.  I’ve taken a job at Valley Bank and Trust, as a teller.  It pays decent, fifteen dollars an hour, because I have a college degree, but as it’s our only source of income, we’re barely scraping by with the rent and utilities.  I can’t go to my parents for money.  I’ve taken enough of it from them as it is, and right now, they’re trying to save as much as they can for Hannah’s college tuition and a new roof for the house.  I know if I asked them for another loan, they would probably do it, but it would put a huge dent in their savings.  I can’t do that to them.  They don’t deserve it.

Braeden and I found the apartment a few weeks ago.  He had to get out of that house.  Not that he doesn’t love his family but...he wasn’t doing well. His parents and Mark couldn’t understand his pain or how to deal with it, and it wasn’t healthy for anyone.

We’re not together or anything.  I’m nowhere near ready, and he knows that.  He just needed someplace else to go, and since...since I have no place else to go, and living with Braeden at my parents house was out of the question, we agreed that the only option was to move in together.  It’s a little weird, very awkward at times, but I’m making the best of it.

He’s my best friend.

We’re here for each other.

That’s all that really matters anyway.

He has night terrors.  That’s what the psychotherapist at the VA calls it.  He’ll wake up in the middle of the night, screaming, crying out in pain, like he’s back there.  There’s only one bedroom in our apartment, and it’s weird, but we do share the same bed, somehow managing to keep our hormones in check.  Sometimes I have to hold him for hours, talking to him gently and stroking his hair before he finally calms down enough to get back to sleep.  A few days ago, he told me he’s terrified of falling asleep.  He wants to stay up all night, and if I wasn’t adamant that he come to bed at night, he probably would.  He curls up against me lately, trying to protect himself from his dreams.  

It’s a terrible way to be living.

But it’s the only way I can.  

I won’t leave Braeden to suffer.
Of course, I have the option to move back in with my parents.  They see us every weekend.  The whole family gets together and has dinner, and my mom and dad can see the strain and fatigue written all over my face.  They tell me to come back home.  That I’m not ready to take on all this responsibility.  Then I ask them what Braeden is supposed to do.  They say ‘he can go back to Barbara and Sammy’s until he gets back on his feet.’  But it’s impossible.  He won’t go back now.  His terrors are too intense now.  It wouldn’t work.  I tell my parents that too.

“They have a place for him at the VA,” my mom told me last Sunday as we washed the dishes together.  “Barbara looked into it.  What happened to him was bad enough to give him a room there, no questions asked.”

“What, is he some kind of a transient?” I snapped at her.  “Are you listening to yourself, mom? This is Braeden we’re talking about.”

“I’m worried about you.”  She touched her hand gently to my cheek.  “You look awful.”

I turned away from her.  “It’s just hard...money wise, and...they’re not getting Bray’s paperwork through.  We don’t know when they will, and the lawyers want too much money to do it for him.”

“How is that affecting your love life?”

I snorted.  “We’re not together, I tell you that all the time.”

“I guess I don’t understand why you’re not.” She shrugged as she picked another dish up and began to dry it.  “You live together, and Hannah told me there’s only one bedroom.  Unless one of you is sleeping on the floor...”

“It’s complicated,” I cut her off.

“Maybe.” She whispered.  “Or maybe someone else is still on your mind.”

She knew.  She could tell.  It was obvious.  I loved Justin.  It was eating away at me more and more every single day.  The pain was in my gut, pulsing inside of me, pleading with me to go back to him.  But how? I couldn’t. I hadn’t called him but I knew better.  It was over in his eyes, and I was forced to push all those feelings I had for him out of my system.  Nobody knew how hard that was.  How sick it made me feel.  I was suffering and I was alone in that suffering.  It was horrible, on top of everything else that was going on.  “I’m working on it.”

“I hope so, Abbey.”

She still didn’t think highly of Justin, and he wasn’t even around.  It disgusted me.

I had to walk away from her.
We haven’t talked about it since.

There’s a wedding next weekend.  My cousin Candice.  We were never close, but Braeden and I have been invited out of sheer sympathy.  It will be a nice break from all of this fucking bullshit, though.  I know Braeden is looking forward to it because all of his friends are coming, and Charlene is even flying out for it.  It will be nice to see her.  We talk on the phone every chance we get, but since she’s been promoted at work, she never gets that much free time anymore.  

I walk out of the office now, leaving the woman behind at her desk.  She doesn’t say anything else to me as I close the door.  I walk out to the my car, an old toyota that I’ve been driving around here since I first got my license.  It’s on it’s last legs, and I pray that it holds out just a little while longer, just until Braeden can get work.  Then I’ll finance something.  I put my key into the rusted lock and open the door.  “Are you okay?” I ask him.  He’s leaning against the car with his hands shoved in his pockets, staring out into space.

“Fine.”

We both get in, and silently drive away from the building.  I glance at my watch, and sware under my breath.  I’m late for work...again.  I wouldn’t have been, except Braeden never told me when his appointment was, until the last minute.  The last minute being this morning.  I could have killed him.  My boss isn’t the nicest, hates tardiness, and what’s worse is she knows me well.  She knows Braeden too.  We went to school with her kids.  So everytime I’m late, she knows it’s because of him.  Not because I was sick or stuck in traffic.  “I’m late,” I groan.

He’s silent for awhile as we drive back towards the apartment complex.

“Sorry,” he mutters.  “If I don’t go to these things, they’ll toss my case out.”

“You could have reminded me a few days ago though,” I point out, gently.  “I can’t mess around with this job, Bray.  If I lose it, we’re going to be in serious trouble.”

“I will maybe,” he laughs.  “You can go live back home.”

I glance over at him.  “I’m not going to leave.”

He shrugs.  “You should.”

I hate when he does this.  I hate it.  He’s back, he’s here, alive, and we’re making the best of the situation.  But if I start going off into a lecture about that, I know it will only make him more moody than he is now.  While he never raises his voice, or acts violent  towards me, I know he’ll do it with the first person he comes in contact with.  “I’ll drop you at the VA.”

“The babysitter, you mean.”  He smiles back at me before running a hand over his shaved head.  “Maybe today we’ll learn how to tie dye.”

I don’t answer him.  I’m silent the rest of the way there.

I get to work forty minutes later.  Kathy, the lead finance person sees me from her desk, and gives me a grim look.  “Tanya is on the warpath.”

I sigh heavily and straighten my blouse and skirt.  “Temporary setback this morning.”

She nods.  She knows how it is with me, what’s going on at home.  Brighton is a small town.  Everybody knows everybody else.  That first week he was back, all of these people were at his welcome home party, greeting him and hugging him like he was a hero.

Now they could care less what’s going on.

I take my usual spot behind the counter, and begin to service the other customers in line.  It takes about an hour, before I’m called into Tanya’s office, and I’m literally trembling when I knock on her door.  

“Come in, Abbey.”

I do.  She’s sitting at her desk, looking at her computer screen.

It reminds me of Justin immediately, and I have to stop, close my eyes and suck in a breath, before I can regain my composure.  “Hi Tanya.”

“Have a seat.”

I do, and swallow hard, knowing what has to be next.

“Abbey you’re a great teller,” she starts out.  “One of our best.”

I nod.  “Thank you.”

“That said...” she sighs.  “Your attendance is very poor.”

“Tanya, I...”

“You’ve been late almost every day the last two months,” she speaks over me.  “I...I know there are things going on at home.  But I have a business to run.”

“Please don’t do this.” My lips tremble and I have to suck in a breath so I don’t start sobbing.  “I...I need this job.”

She looks away from me.  “I’m sorry.  I have to let you go.”

I close my eyes.

Fuck.

I get my things and walk out of there, not saying goodbye to any of my co workers. I can feel them staring at me.  Surely, they know what’s happened.  I’m sure they’re asking themselves how my life could have gotten this bad.  

I wish I knew.

I drive to the VA and pick Braeden up.  He’s more grateful than ever, mutters to me all the way home about the stupid idiots that are there and how they bug the shit out of him all day long.  I barely hear him.  Everything is foggy, and confusing.  I have no idea what I’m supposed to tell him, all I know is that when the rent comes due in about two weeks, we won’t be able to pay it.

“Babs.” He says, as I pull into our reserved spot and turn the car off.

I look over at him.  “Yeah?”

“You look like hell.”

I blink and feel the tears there now, they travel down my face, and I don’t stop them.  “I lost my job.”

He stares at me for awhile, seemingly at a loss for words.  He looks down at his lap and tugs at the bottom of his sweatshirt.  “This is my fault.”

“No.” I shake my head.  “It’s nobodies fault.  I can’t be at two places at once, and you’re getting screwed over for no reason.”

He leans back in his seat.  “What are we gonna do?”

“I don’t know.”

“I’ll use the money in the bank,” he decides in an instant.

“No.  That’s not what that money is for.”

“What difference does it make, Babs?  I’m trying to take care of you for once.  You don’t deserve this.  You dont’ deserve to live like this, okay? I...I’m supposed to be the one that takes care of things.”

He’s crying now.

But so am I.

“I’ll go live at the VA,” he says, after awhile.  “You can go home to your folks.”

“I’m not leaving you,” I whimper.  “This is so fucked up!  I just got you back and it’s like...we can’t even enjoy the time we have!”

I’m hysterical now, crying into my hands, sounding just as bad as Braeden does when he has one of his night terrors.  I feel so foolish.  I’m supposed to be the strong one, help him, get him through this.

But too much has happened.  I’m slowly losing my mind.

“Babs...shhh.”  

I feel his arms around me.  He never does it.  We try to maintain that distance between us, with the exception of the comfort I give him when he wakes up in the middle of the night.  But right now I need this.  I need comfort, and who better to get it from, than from Braeden.  I feel warmth flowing through my body as he pulls me close and kisses the tears off of my face.  It’s the first time his lips have touched my skin since DC, and it feels so wonderful.

I feel at peace with myself, for once.

“C’mon.”  He gently pushes himself away from me as he takes his seatbelt off and gets out of the car.  He winces.  He still has pain in his back from his scars that wont’ go away for some time.  Then he’s opening my door for me, and holds his hand out.  “C’mon inside.”

I take off my seatbelt and pull the keys out of the ignition, not saying a word as he guides me out of the car and pushes the door closed for me.  He holds my hand as we walk back into our dingy apartment, and takes me right into the bedroom, shutting the door, sealing us away from the world.

“Don’t cry.”  He forces a smile, as he leads me over to the bed and has me lay down.

I curl into the ball, and can’t seem to take his advice.  Soon, I feel his arms around me again, and then his lips are there, on my neck, on my face, telling me that it’s okay.  That he’s still here, even if he’s weak, and messed up...helpless.
          
“I love you, so much, Babs.”  He tells me finally.  “I’d...I’d do anything to make you happy.”

“There’s nothing left to do,” I sob.  “Everything is just...so fucked up.”

“I can do something.”
I don’t answer him.

“Let me talk to my recruiter,” he says after a moment.  “There must be something I can do for the military still.”

I shoot upright, shoving him off me.  “You’re not going back!” I yell.

“It might be the only thing I can do,” he says sadly.  “They haven’t discharged me yet.”

“No!  No! You can’t...you can’t...”

“God, Ab.”

He pulls me to his chest and I cry harshly into it, only being able to think that he’ll reenlist, again and disappear for good this time.

“Do you love me?” he whispers after a while, when my crying has died down, and all I’m doing is leaning against him as he cradles me in his arms.

I don’t hesitate.  I’m lost in that world.  That one I was in all those years ago when we were together, really in love, and happy.  “I love you,” I say.

He pulls back from me, and looks me dead in the eye.  “Would you go anywhere I got a job?”  He smoothes my hair out of my eyes and smiles genuinely at me for the first time in months.  

“Of course I would.”

He kisses me lightly on the forehead.  “Then lets get married.  Then it won’t matter where they send me, because you’ll be there with me.”

It’s unreal, uncanny.  Is he serious? Marriage?  “What about your paperwork?”

“My recruiter told me that if I were to reenlist, they’d take care of those expenses for me.  I knew you’d be pissed, so I didn’t want to tell you I talked to him.”

I look up at him.  I hate the military.  I hate what it’s done to us, but right now, the only thing that seems to make sense is his course of action.  He could make money, and we could still be together.  I would be there to take care of him, and he wouldn’t have to be so scared all the time.

But is our love that real right now? Do I still love him like I used to? Can I spend the rest of my life with him?

“Abbey.”

I look up at him.

“Abbey,” he trails off, and smiles again.  “Abbey, will you marry me?”

He means it.  He means it now as much as he did right before he left, and disappeared.   He loves me more than anything this in entire world, and now that I’ve lost so much, I know he’s all I have left.  The one person who will be there, no matter what happens.  I know I love him, so much.  

“Yes,” I smile through my tears.

Forty Four by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Yay! Thanks to everyone for the awesome comments! Please enjoy!

The fact that Trace and I are on speaking terms again is more recent than anything, but it doesn’t feel that way.  We’ve slipped back into our friendship over the past few months, both of us leaving the past, in the past.  It’s better that way for us, and for the kids in our lives too, but it hasn’t been easy getting to this point, and it hasn’t been easy starting my life over either.

I was a complete mess for weeks after Abbey left me.

When she walked out that door, I tried to keep my head.  I really did.  My body was numb but my mind wasn’t.  I thought if I continued to watch the TV, all the pain inside of me would magically melt away.

I was a fool to think that way.

Austin didn’t come inside for hours, and when the sun began to set, I realized that I needed to suck it up and go out to get him.  For some strange reason I wasn’t worried that he’d run away, or snuck out of the state with Abbey.  I knew him, knew he was too frightened to do anything like that, and when I found him around the corner, sitting against the building, my theory was proven right.

He was sitting there on the sidewalk, little suitcase at his side, hands shoved in his jacket, ball cap pulled low over his eyes.  I sat down next to him, very unlike me, but at that moment, I was lost myself.  I guess I knew how the kid felt, and I was determined to make him feel better...to get him over Abbey.

Because if I could get him over Abbey, I knew I could get myself over her too.

That was important.  It was important to get myself over that hump.

I knew I couldn’t stay in love with a woman that was never coming back.

“Hey, Aus.”  I spoke up after quite awhile of listening to him sniffle and cry beside me.  “It’s getting dark.”

“Go away.”

“What, are you going to stay out here all night? Sleep on the street?”

“If I have to,” he muttered.  “I hate you.”

I laughed slightly and leaned my head back against the brick, looking up at the sky, praying that I would have the strength to hold back all the sadness inside of me for my brother’s sake.  “I figured you might.”

“You...you didn’t even tell me she was going! Why did you let her leave?”

I blinked slowly, the only vision in my mind being the one of her staring at me once more before she walked out the door.  She tried to talk to me.  I refused to listen.  At the time, I didn’t care.

But I’ve found myself lying awake at night ever since then, wondering what would have happened if I let her talk to me that day.

If she really would have stayed with me, not gone back to him.  

It’s a risk I wasn’t willing to take though.  I made my choice, and that choice was final.  

“I didn’t let her leave,” I told Austin next.  “Things with us didn’t work out, and it wouldn’t have been...healthy for you guys if she stuck around.”

“You didn’t try hard enough!”  He ripped the ball cap off his head and looked up into my eyes.  He was furious with me.  “You wouldn’t even talk to her!”

I just shrugged.  I was so numb then, shielding myself from a potential breakdown.  “In life you’re going to find that a lot of people will leave you.  Some of those people, Aus, you’re going to love, and when...when they fall out of love with you, it’s going to hurt.  Consider this a learning experience.”r32;


“I’m fucking mad.  I’m fucking mad at you...and...and at Abbey too!”

I laughed.  It was hilarious to me that he would swear like that, while anyone else would have gotten real uptight and slapped him silly.  It didn’t matter to me so much.  He didn’t do it all the time, only when he was really angry, and that day...that day I think I would have let him swear like a sailor if it meant he would be able to get all of his aggressions out.

He cried harder after that, begging me to make her come back, and I found myself pulling him close to me, wrapping my arms around him and rubbing his back a little bit.  He didn’t pull back.  He needed me then, so badly, even if he tried to pretend that he didn’t.

And I needed him that much more, only I would never tell him.  I needed to be strong for him, even though my heart was broken, and I was an emotional mess inside.  It hit me that I had to take Abbey’s place and be his confidant from that point on, the one he went to for advice and companionship.  I couldn’t fail him, or Davey either.  I couldn’t turn back into an idiotic asshole, because it would mess them up, and they’d come so far since our parents passed that it just wouldn’t have been fair.  

So I held my head high and put a happy face on for my brothers from that point on.  In private though...I was a totally different person.  I barely slept.  I only went out of the house to go to work, or bring the boys somewhere they needed to go.  Mostly, I was in my bedroom when I was at home, buried under my comforter, silently crying to myself.

I was so alone, so foolishly alone, and it was all because of my fucking ego, and the fear that I wasn’t good enough for her...that she’d just leave me anyway.

I should have talked to her.  I should have told her how I really felt instead of pushing her away.  I shouldn’t have let her go back to him.

Three weeks later, I still hadn’t snapped out of my funk.  It was a Saturday morning and I could hear my brothers running amuck downstairs, but I just didn’t care.  I was pushing them off on Lucinda more and more, and I knew she wasn’t taking it too well.  I never asked her take care of them as much as she was, and I figured she was going to quit.  I didn’t care about that either.  I just wanted to be left alone, wanted to wallow in my misery whenever I was given the chance to.

There was a knock at my bedroom door, and I figured it must have been Austin.  Most weekends he would try to get me out of bed to go to the park or watch TV with him.  I always locked the door, just in case I was in the middle of an emotional breakdown.  “Not now,” I called out from under the covers.  “Go watch cartoons with Davey.”

“Come on, man.”

The knocking continued.

I realized immediately that it wasn’t Austin or Davey.  I knew the voice though...very well, but Trace was the last person I ever expected to come back into my house.  I threw the covers off of myself, and slowly made my way over to the door, opening it just enough so I could see him standing there.  “How...how the hell did you get in?”

He smirked.  “You look like you just crawled out from under a rock.”

“Fuck you.”

He pushed his way into my bedroom.  

“Hey! What...what are you doing?”

“I’ve been hearing stories,” he said, as he leaned against my dresser and stared back at me.  “So I had to come see if the rumors were true or not.”

I crossed my arms stubbornly across my chest.  I hated that he knew, because he’d been against my relationship with Abbey from the start.  I figured he was going to throw all of it back in my face, tell me that he told me so and didn’t I feel like a stupid fucking asshole now that she was gone?  “Who let you in?”

He pulled a key out of his pocket and waved it at me, mockingly.  “Really, J? I thought you would have changed the locks by now.”

I let out a pathetic groan.

“So she left you, huh?”

I sat down on the bed, completely silent for several minutes, before I finally decided there was no point in hiding the truth from him.  “Yeah...I mean...I guess I helped her make the decision. But she wanted to go.”

“I caught her on the news,” he explained.  “Slut didn’t hold back did she?  I mean, kissing that guy for the world to see and then booking on you?  I saw that one coming.”

“Don’t talk about her that way,” I whispered at him harshly.  “Is this why you came here?  I don’t need it right now.”

“No.”  He sucked in a long breath and cleared his throat.  “I came to see if you’re doing okay.”

I laughed at him.  It didn’t make sense.  We’d been so angry at each other for so long, that he shouldn’t have cared if Abbey left or what state of mind I was in because of it.  But, there he was, standing in front of me like I was still his best friend in the world.  “I’ll get through it.”

“Dennis said you’ve been walking around the office like you’re half dead.”

I tended to forget that they still talked, still went out for drinks, and talked about business in general.  I would have been mad at Dennis for spilling my personal shit to Trace, but too much had happened and I was too sick and tired to hold a grudge against my new business partner.  “I’m just...I’m just going through something.  I’m almost over it.”

“You’re such a fuckin’ liar, man.”

I narrowed my eyes at him.  “What?”

“You’re a mess.  You look like I did after Syd died.  I’m not stupid, I know you were in love with her.  I came here to try and...talk I guess.  You need a friend, and there’s nobody else out there that knows your stupid ass better than I do.”

I couldn’t believe he cared, didn’t know why he cared, but something about the light in his eyes and the playful expression on his face told me that things were going well for him.  That his life had began to turn around.  “What about ‘screw you, Justin’?”

He shrugged.  “I was fucked up for a while and too stubborn to remember what’s really important.”

I just nodded, because it was the truth.

“I...I got a call from Trump a few weeks back,” he continued.  “He wanted to help me clear my name and get me back into the industry.  Crazy right? I’m working for him now.  We’re going ahead with the hotel project.  I’ve been so busy, I haven’t had that much time to be a miserable fuck, and then well...I was at home one night and saw Abbey on the news.  I...I thought about coming to see you then but I figured you probably needed some time.  But now I’m hearing how this is affecting you at work.  I don’t want to see you go down hill.  You’ve...you’ve worked hard and deserve better, you know? The boys do too.”

It was crazy.  Trace was being sentimental.  As long as I’d known him, the guy had never been sentimental.  Sure, he could be nice at times, helped me out a ton when I was first starting out, but he never let the fact that he had a big heart show until that moment.  “I don’t know what happened.  She was just...there one day, and then she was gone.  She wanted to talk before she left but I...I wouldn’t let her.”

It took him a few moments, but he finally made his way across the room so he could sit down beside me on the bed.  “I’m gonna get you through this, Justin,” he promised me quietly.  “It’s the least I can do after everything that’s happened.”

Trace was true to his word.  He started coming to my house every morning with Kristy so he could help me get the boys ready.  We would have breakfast together at the house, before piling into my Escalade to drop them all off at school.  Then, I would go to work and he would go to meet with Trump and the other people involved with their hotel project.  My employees started to notice the change in me after a couple of weeks.  Cheryl even asked me if something had changed, and all I told her was that I had gotten myself some help.  It felt good though, getting a grip on my life.  I realized I could live without Abbey, without her love and guidance.  It was hard, of course.  It would always be.  Late at night I still longed for her, but that was the extent of it.  I forced myself to focus on the boys, business, and my friendship with Trace.  There wasn’t room for anything...or anyone, else.

By the time Austin’s birthday rolled around, I realized I never cancelled the Disney trip that I’d booked weeks before.  I was only reminded of it when I received a call early one morning at the office.  The lady’s name was Carmen and she told me she would be my private VIP guide while we were there.  

“I see a note that you’d like to spend some extra time with your girlfriend,” she giggled before I could cut her off and tell her I wanted to cancel.  “Would you like me to reserve the Grand One Yacht for a romantic dinner?”

I dropped the pen, took my eyes off the stocks flashing across the computer screen, and rubbed my face with my hand.  “I...um...”  For a moment I contemplated canceling the entire trip right then and there.  It hurt, thinking about the things Abbey and I would have done, the great time we would have had with the boys.  Everything I ever loved about her came rushing back to me in that moment.  I swallowed hard, determined to keep my emotions in check over the phone.  “It’s not necessary,” I whispered.

“Oh...well...maybe some hang gliding?  Or a spa day? We have a wonderful...”r32;

“It’s actually just going to be me and the boys,” I blurted out.  “I meant to take...to take Abbey’s name...” I trailed off and sighed a little.  “I meant to take her name off the reservation.  I’ve just been a little busy, is all.”

“Absolutely,” Carmen said brightly.  “I’ll take care of that for you.”

She said it like it happened to her guests all the time.  

I figured it would be a nice trip for us, as a family.  Even though the boys were still heartbroken about Abbey being gone, I knew they would want to go to Disney World. Since I hadn’t told either of the boys about the trip, I felt a little spark light up inside of me at the thought of how excited they would be to go, and I decided not to cancel after all.

“Disney World? You?” Trace laughed at me a few nights later at dinner.  He'd offered up his own nanny for the evening so we could have a night to ourselves.  It was the first time I’d done anything outside of the house, without the boys, in almost two months.

I felt human again.

I just smirked and kept my eyes focused on the menu.  “Yeah, I was going to ask if you could come too.  Kristy would like it.”

“Oh hell no,” he snorted.  “Mickey mouse and a thousand screaming kids? I’ll pass.”

“It wouldn’t be that bad.”  I lifted my gaze from the menu and looked him in the eyes.  It was silly, but I wanted him to come.  I thought we would have a nice time, and that it would make Austin feel better to spend some time with Kristy.  It was crazy how close they’d become.  Since Trace and I started speaking again, I almost never saw one of them without the other.  She was always at my house after school, playing with the boys, or they were both over at Trace’s with her.  “C’mon,” I pushed.

“You’re serious?” He laughed.  “You want me there?”

I shrugged.  “Yeah, I guess.”

“You’re so lame,” he scoffed, but was silent after that.

The next week, we were all on a plane Orlando.  Trace muttered to himself the whole way there about how he wasn’t posing for pictures with any characters, and asking me if there were babysitters so he could spend his days in the hot tub or on the phone with his project managers.  I assured him that Carmen would take care of whatever we wanted, and it seemed to ease his mind a lot.

I never thought he’d be the one that would end up dragging me over to meet Mickey Mouse, or racing the kids to see who could get to Space Mountain first.  It was the craziest thing, to see him giddy happy like he was five years old, and it hit me that he probably hadn’t ever gone to place like that his entire life.  Kristy had a ball with him, and so did the boys.  I mostly hung back, watching it all unfold before my eyes.  The boys got me to do a lot of things with them of course, but my favorite part about spending that time with them, was seeing the smiles on their faces, and watching their eyes light up at the things they were experiencing.  I loved that I could give them a vacation like that, that I could give them everything and still raise them the right way so they wouldn’t turn into arrogant adults.

It was official.  I had turned into a big old sap.

I only wished Abbey could have been there, to see how much fun they were having.  It was definitely one of those trips she would have loved.  One of those trips that we would have looked back on fondly as a couple.  I hated thinking about it.  I hated that...at night, when I was finally alone in my room, all I thought about was her.

I gripped my Blackberry in my hand and stared at the number I pulled up, late one night towards the end of our vacation.  The kids had gone to bed hours earlier, and funnily enough, Trace had gone out on some kind of date with the girl that checked us in.  I told him he was a dog.  He just laughed and asked me if Kristy could crash with the boys, before telling me he would see me in the morning.  It meant I was alone and there was no chance of being interrupted by the kids.  I checked and rechecked, made sure they were out cold, before retreating into my bedroom that night.

It was stupid...but I was desperate to hear her voice.  It was slipping away from me, how she sounded, what her laughter was like.  I was forgetting about her, and I should have been happy about that, but I wasn’t.  Part of me still didn’t want to let go.

I blocked my number and pressed send, before holding the phone up to my ear.

It rang once.

Twice.

“Hello?”

It wasn’t her.  It was a man’s voice.

I hung up, threw the phone somewhere across the bed.  Abbey wasn’t worried about me.  She was with Braeden...she’d moved on with her life and forgotten about us.

I cried myself to sleep.

It’s nearly April now.  Since we came back from vacation, I’ve been busier than I’ve been in a long time.  Trace and Trump have been in talks with me.  They want to let me back into the deal, and I know that’s more Trace’s doing than anything else.  They keep telling me I’m going to bring so much to the table, and I guess...I know I can.  I have a lot of influence these days, even more than Trump does it seems.  The firm is doing better than any other in Manhattan.  Thanks to some hard work and a ton of international interfacing, we have more clientele now than Goldman has had in twenty years.  I’ve been getting recognized more and more, been getting invited on various Bloomberg talk shows to put in my two cents on the status of Wall Street.  Goldman’s publicist has booked me on more magazine interviews than ever before.  It’s tiring.  They all want me on the covers so I have to go to all these retarded photo shoots like I’m a celebrity or something.  Dennis laughs and tell me I should move to Hollywood and become an actor.  But I’m not about that...at all.  This last time around, I told them I wouldn’t do the cover unless the boys could be on it with me.

The salivated over that, said their magazine sales would triple.  Our publicist told me that it would really help investors opinions about the firm too, because I was showing that I had ‘family values’, that Goldman was being run by ‘a family man.’  It was something new and different for them I guess, because I’d done a ton of covers in the past and never would have considered including the boys back then, because I was too blinded by my ego.  But Abbey...Abbey had taught me how important they were, taught me how to cherish them, before I could think about myself.  It wasn’t even a question whether or not I should tell the world about them.  I loved them, and I always would.

The values she left me with, are probably the only thing that’s forced me to move on since the night I called her.  I’ve been forcing myself to push forward and just...forget about us.  I have to do it, or my life will spiral out of control.  Eventually, I want to be completely happy again.  I have to be, for the boys and for myself.  It’s not about finding somebody else.  I’m not ready for that at all.

I don’t believe in love anymore, or relationships.  Just sex.

Trace has been setting me up with all these bimbos for the past month or so.  I don’t know where he finds them, all I know is that they are always extremely gorgeous, and extremely willing to sleep with me.  We’ll go out to dinner, I won’t let any part of my true personality shine through, and then we’ll fuck later on at her place, since I refuse to bring her to mine.  I won’t bring that around the boys.  It’s unhealthy and god forbid they saw me with somebody else.  Davey would end up a mute again and Austin would probably figure out way to shoot me with that rifle.  I leave as soon as we finish.  Sometimes, I’ll wake up in my bed the next day, not remembering her name.

It’s better that way.

“Austin Timberlake.”

Austin rises from the chair and scans the audience, searching for me, while I move along the row and sit down in an empty seat.  I’m just in time and he knows it.  I would have been here sooner, if it wasn’t for that phone conference going longer than it was supposed to.  His eyes lock onto me after a moment, and I nod, before flashing a small, encouraging smile at him.

He smiles slightly.  I know he was pissed at me, but now he’s just glad that I’m here.

“Please spell, expediency.”

Shit.  He hates this one.  Gets his y’s and e’s messed up, no matter how many times we practice it.

“Expediency.”  He swallows hard.  “E-X-P-E...”

I’m distracted when my phone begins to vibrate in my pocket, and pull it out, even though I hate myself for it.  I told them no calls or texts, but of course, they don’t listen.  Especially him, but that’s to be expected.  He’s an entire continent away, overseeing the Geneva groundbreaking with Trump, and hasn’t seen his daughter in nearly ten days.  

Did Kristy win yet?

The smile pulls at the corner of my mouth.  I just got here.  They’re neck and neck with one other kid.

“D-I-E-N...”

She’s gonna win.  Then you’re gonna owe me dinner when I get back.


We’ll see.

Kristy kicks ass at this.  It’s in the bag, Timberlake.

“...C-I-E. Expediency.”

“I’m sorry, that’s incorrect.”

Damn it.

“Kristy Ayala.  Please spell, expediency.”

Austin plops down into his chair, and l sigh as I watch him lower his head and stare down at his lap.  It sucks.  We practiced for weeks for this spelling bee, and he was so close.  I know he wanted to win, but winning isn’t everything.  They started out with thirty kids from all over the city and he made the top three.

I couldn’t be prouder of my brother.

“Expediency.” Kristy smiles as she steps up to the microphone.  “E-X-P-E-D-I-E-N-C-Y.  Expediency.”

“Correct.”

I clap along with the rest of the audience.  The kid is good, seems to win whatever she enters and pulls off straight A’s.  Must be that three hundred dollar an hour tutor Trace has working for him.  Asshole.

Now I have to buy dinner.  I text him back.

Austin’s out.

Told you so.  I’ll let you know about the reservation.  See you in a couple of days.

I chuckle softly and shove the phone back in my pocket.  Yeah, he’s one of those sore winner types, annoying as fuck, sarcastic as the best of them.

But he’s my best friend, and if he hadn’t come back into my life, I have no idea where I would be right now.

Kristy ends up beating the other kid too.  She spells some crazy word that I wouldn’t get right on the first try, and afterward she clutches her first place trophy tightly to her chest as her nanny, Beth, chats with me for a few minutes while Austin talks to his teacher.  She’s nice, young, and seems to like her job.  I like that Trace has her around because she’s very reliable and always willing to stay with the boys if I need her to.  It’s a great help...especially since I’m sort of “dating” now.

My love life is a sad joke.

I congratulate Kristy again, before Beth tells me to call her if I need something, and leads her away.  I stand there after that, watching as Austin finishes up his conversation with Ms. Parks.  He’s holding his tiny third place trophy in one hand while he stares down at the floor.  I know he’s devastated, and I try to think of a way to get him to cheer up before he gets off the stage.

“He was very good, Justin.  The whole class is so proud of him for making it this far,” Ms. Parks beams as Austin walks down off the stage.  “Congratulations.”

“Thanks,” I smile.  “He’s come real far.  I...I appreciate everything you’re doing.”

She nods a little, her gaze lingering on me for a moment or two as Austin comes to stand beside me.  There’s questions on her face.  She never got a clear explanation from me about what happened to Abbey.  She confronted me about it one Friday afternoon when I picked him up, telling me that Austin seemed distant, and so I told her things had changed a little at home because Abbey wasn’t around anymore.

“I noticed that Beth has been taking Austin after school.  Did something happen to Abbey?” She asked.

“No...she...she just had things to do.  She’s not around.”

Ms. Parks left it at that.  She knew she had to, because it wasn’t her business.

“See you Monday, Austin,” Ms. Parks chirps brightly, before she walks away.

“Bye,” Austin mutters.  

I put an arm around him once we’re alone, and start leading him out of the auditorium.  “You did awesome.”

“I lost.”

“Yeah, to Kristy.  That girl is too smart for her own good.  If she wasn’t in this, I bet you would have beat that other kid easy.”

I feel him shrug, so I stop him at the door and crouch down, putting my hands on his shoulders.  “I’m really proud of you, Austin,” I tell him, shaking him a little bit. “And look, you got a cool trophy and...” I reach down and pull the envelope out of his front blazer pocket, peeking inside to see the gift certificates he’s been given.  “Free pizza from Tanabochi’s, and some movie passes.  We’ll make a night of it, maybe next weekend?”

He barely nods before his eyes float up and meet my expression.  “I wish Abbey could have seen me.”

I sigh a little bit and bite my bottom lip.  He doesn’t talk about her with me as much anymore, but when he does, it’s usually at times like this when he’s just done something that’s really important to him.  “I know, buddy.”

“Maybe I can write her another letter.  Maybe the first one got lost in the mail.”

I rise up from the floor.  “I think it’s better if you just move on, Austin.”

He’s silent.

He’s angry.

I let him write her a letter about a month after she left, because he wouldn’t shut up about it.  I didn’t want him to, but...I didn’t want to deny him communication with her either.  I knew how close they were, and their relationship, while it had played a part in our romance at one time, wasn’t a part of my life anymore.  I wasn’t going to be a bitter asshole.  I figured if he wanted to keep in touch with her, who was I to stop him?  I still remembered the address that her parents lived at, and after he wrote the letter, I even mailed it for him, as painstaking as that process was for me.

But that letter never got a response.  He would ask me every day for weeks, if he had gotten any mail.  It killed me to tell him that he hadn’t.

It made me even angrier at Abbey for ignoring him.  

“I’m trying to look out for you,” I tell him, as we exit the school and make our way over to where Quincy is waiting for us in the car.  “If you write her another letter, and she doesn’t answer, what are you going to do?”

“I dunno,” he whispers.  “I just want to talk to her again.”

I ruffle his hair a little bit.  “I’m sorry, buddy.”

He just nods. I know it’s not the response he wants to hear, but I don’t have another answer for him.  We get into the car after that, and head home.  Davey is there with Francine, and after she fills me in about what they did after school, I bid her a quick goodbye.  Lucinda prepares dinner, and the three of us eat in unsettling silence.  Davey isn’t very talkative because he can tell Austin is in a foul mood, and Austin will barely look at either one of us.  I feel like he’s becoming depressed again, and I’ve been considering having him talk to Francine, but I’m just not sure yet.  He’s private and strong, my Austin, and I don’t know how comfortable he would be talking to somebody else about what’s on his mind.


I’m thankful to be at work Monday morning.  The weekend was uneventful.  The boys played with Kristy and I caught up on the pile of paperwork in my study.  It’s crazy how much my life has changed, how much more free time I have to catch up on things now.  When Abbey was around my weekends were filled with events and going and doing.  Now I’m just a boring finance man with two brothers to worry about.  

 “I’m telling you man.  Box seats.  You’re gonna miss out.  I have a great girl set up for you.”

I don’t look at him, only focus on my computer.  I need to get this stock thing sorted out fast.  It has the potential to make us a cool four or five million by the end of the day.

“Justin?”

“Hm?”

“Could you fucking look at me?”

I snap out of my stock market daze and glance at him, annoyed.  “What, Trace?”

He’s been back since yesterday, and has a couple of days off before he has to get back to work with Trump.  But instead of relaxing today, he’s here in my office, trying to making plans for us to get out and do something together later in the week.

But the thing is, I don’t want to.  Dinner is cool once in awhile, along with going on the occasional fuck date he sets up for me, but I need to be home with my brothers otherwise. He used to understand that, but I can tell he’s getting restless now.  He wants us to hang out and have fun like we used to.

But I’m not that guy anymore.

“Saturday? Yankees? Box seats? Blonde?”

“No.”  I wave my hand at him and go back to my screen.

“J, man...I know your heart got ripped out of your chest.  It happens to the best of us, but you gotta move on sometime.  You should be out having fun.”

“I have about five million other things on my mind besides talking to some bimbo this weekend,” I snap at him, and gaze at my computer screen for several more minutes before finally looking up again.  “Shouldn’t you be home, catching up on your rest?” I grunt before focusing back on my stocks.

“You’re way too bitter, you know? It’s like you’re still stuck on that skank.”

“Fuck off, Trace,” I don’t look at him.

Minutes later I hear my door clicking closed, and when I look up I find that he’s deserted me.  Good, it’s better that I’m alone.  I need to work, not worry about women.  I hate thinking about women.

Because it makes me think about her.

I rub my eyes and get up from the leather office chair, turning so I can gaze out the windows behind me.  Even now, this is one of the only things that calms me down at a moment like this.

She was confused and I couldn’t even console her, give her good advice.  I mean me, the most influential person on Wall Street at the moment couldn’t give his own girlfriend advice? Couldn’t break down and tell her that he loves her more than anything, to not leave because he couldn’t bare it, that he would miss the hell out of her.

No, i berated her instead.  Made her feel like a piece of shit that i never cared about, never loved.  i banished her from my life because i was too chicken to go out on a limb, risk my heart for the sake of our love.

I’m a stupid fucking asshole for that.

And I deserve to be alone.

I raise my fist to my mouth, end up biting down on my knuckles as I cry silently to myself.  I hate doing it, but I end up breaking down at least once a week in the privacy of my office.  I...fuck...

I’m still in love with her, even now that all this time has passed.  It’s pathetic.

I hear my Blackberry vibrating against the desk top and I force myself to get it together before I sit back down and pick up the call, not bothering to check the number beforehand.

“Timberlake,” I mutter.  I see it glinting out of the corner of my eye, and slide it up out of the pen box sitting on my desk, toying with it in my fingers, rubbing my index finger over the words on the inside of the band.

Lucinda found it under the bed in the guest room a couple of weeks after she was gone.  Abbey’s promise ring.  I wanted to throw it out, but couldn’t.  I tried to keep it shoved in a drawer in my bedroom, but it seemed to call out to me just like that heartbeat in The Tell Tale Heart.  I tried to return it to Tiffany’s but they told me since it was engraved, they couldn’t take it back.  I caved in finally and put it in my office.  I take it out and look at it on days like this, when I miss her the most.  it's the only memory i have of her now.  The pictures of us and the things that always reminded me of her, are long gone.

It gets me through.

“Oh...Justin, wow, I didn’t think you’d answer so early in the day.  I was going to leave you a voicemail.”

I let the ring drop onto the desk and sit up a little bit.  Crazy.  I’d almost forgotten her up until this point.  “Danielle?”

“Well...yeah...” she chuckles, sounding embarrassed.  “I was just calling to see how you’ve been.”

“You know, the same,” I say, half heartedly.  “Business, kids...no down time really.”

“Well I just thought, you know, since it’s been awhile, that we could have dinner.”

I don’t get why she’s calling me now and the only solution I can come up with is that Trace got to her at some point and filled her in on my current availability.  The last time I saw her she was half naked and scrambling to escape my place.  I guess it shouldn’t matter.  She’s a familiar face, somebody I was always able to trust, and I need that right now.  “I um...”

“I get it if you don’t want to.  We didn’t exactly...end on the best terms.”

I lean back in my chair and gaze up at the ceiling, willing somone to give me a sign.  One that tells me to move on, because Abbey definitely has by now.  My gut instinct tells me it’s a bad idea, but I choose to ignore it anyway.  “I could do dinner.”

“Yeah?”

She sounds relieved, like she’d been working up her nerve to give me a call for weeks.  “Yeah, absolutely.  How about tomorrow night?  I can get a sitter.”

“Great.” I hear her smile through the phone.  “See you then, lover.”

She hangs up and I toss my phone back on the desk.  I guess...maybe Trace is right.  I should move on.  I shouldn’t look back.  I’ve never been one to be torn down before, by anybody.  Abbey is history, and I need to get back to business as usual.  

Danielle it is.

I drop the ring into a desk drawer...

Gone and forgotten.
Forty Five by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
okay here is another one.  I know you guys were wanting more! Enjoy!

June

Killeen,Texas

Fort Hood


“What the hell happened last night?”

He’s silent as he sits in the cell, hunched over, looking down at the grey cement floor.  

“Braeden.”

“I don’t know, okay?” He finally spits out.  “I don’t fucking know.”

I look down at my hands, twisting the diamond ring and wedding band around my finger a few times.  It’s gorgeous.  They were his grandmothers, a family heirloom, that I was honored to be given by Barbara before our ceremony.  “They had to bring him to the hospital.”

“Do you really think I give a shit?”

I press my lips together, stifling the whimper that’s dying to escape.  “No.”

“Did I make bail?”  He says it into his hands.

“Yeah, but Cal said the MP’s are coming to bring you back to base.  They’re pissed.”

The information doesn’t seem to affect him.  “You took it out of savings?”

“...I had to.”

“Fuck, Abbey.  That money is all we have.”

“What choice did I have? You tell me, Bray!”

He looks up at me, stone silent, his eyes digging into mine like daggers.  They are emotionless, dark and gloomy, like he doesn’t have an ounce of emotion inside of him.  “How much?”

I look down at the floor this time.  “Two grand.”

He laughs.  He laughs like it’s the funniest thing he’s ever heard.

I expected a lot of things from Braeden after he came home.  The night terrors, the paranoia, his general fear of the public, the emotional outbursts, his sexual issues, and his insomnia.  But this...this is crazy.  This isn’t the Braeden I know at all. Before this, I’d never seen him so physically violent towards somebody else.  I didn’t think he had it in him to do something like this.  I’m so scared...

I’m so scared, but I still love him.

Braeden made love to me for the first time in seven years, after he proposed that day.  He hungrily grabbed my lips with his as he pulled me down onto the bed with him.  I kissed him back, unsure of myself at first.  It had been so long since I’d been in an intimate setting with him, that I started to crack a little bit more.  I cried as we kissed, and all the while he whispered in my ear that I didn’t need to worry, because he loved me and he would take care of me.  I let him strip me down naked, and when he finally pulled the last of his clothes off, I stared back at him for a few moments, marveling in him, remembering him...how much I missed him.  He was silent as he dove back down to me, catching my lips again as he ran his hands all over my body, eventually pulling my legs apart so he could consummate our love.  

It didn’t last long at all, and he knew it.  I could see the shame on his face when he finished early, but I had no intention on complaining.  I knew why.  I knew he was still weak, that his body couldn’t support him like it had before.  I pulled him down to me, because he was crying, and I tried to calm him down with my kisses and whispers in his ear that I loved him no matter what.  That I would help him get through it.  That sex wasn’t the most important thing.  

We went to talk to Braeden’s recruiter the next day.  Any other girl would have been excited that she was engaged, called her family to tell them the news, but not me.  My situation was different, I had no idea how my family or Braeden’s would react to the news.  We were getting married not only because we loved each other, but because it seemed like the only option if we wanted to stick together.  I knew Barbara would have her own opinion about it, and Braeden agreed. So we decided to hold off until we knew exactly what was going to happen.

“Well...” Robert trailed off as he looked down at Braeden’s file.  He’d always been more of a friend than a recruiter, to both of us, just because we were so young when Braeden first enlisted.  It was good to have him in our lives, rather than somebody else that didn’t know our history, and what Braeden had truly gone through.  “Your psych test was okay...” He shook his head and chuckled as he rubbed the back of his neck, like something was bugging him.  “Bray, I’m not supposed to ask this, but I just don’t care. Are you ready for this?”

“Yeah.” Braeden said immediately.  “Of course.”

“Things have been hard for you.  I’ve seen people do this before, out of desperation for money and housing.  Your situation is very extreme.  If you would wait a month or two the paperwork might...”

“Robert,” Braeden persisted.  “I’ve already made up my mind.  I’m doing it.”  He reached out for my hand and I took it as he laced his fingers through mine.  “What can you do for me?”

It was the first time I’d seen him so strong, so determined, like the guy I’d always known.  He wasn’t backing down, because he knew what he wanted, he knew what would save our relationship and keep us together.  He would do anything to protect that, even if it meant he would have to suffer.  I couldn’t lie, I didn’t want him to go back into the military either, and I’d tried so hard to think of another way to handle the situation.  But there was no other way.  Not without a lot more headaches and frustration.

Braeden didn’t deserve anymore.

So I was going to hold my head high and suck it up for him.

Somebody needed to.

“I’ll talk to my superiors,” he finally said, seeming to give in as his shoulders slumped in defeat.  “I’m not doing this unless they can guarantee that you won’t be deployed.  I can’t promise that they will, but...seeing as you’re a decorated POW, they may accommodate you.”

“If you do get him reenlisted, we can live together, as long as we’re engaged, right?” I asked next.

Braeden squeezed my hand.

“Well, not exactly.  You two have to be married in order to live together on the base.  There’s no getting around that.”

I bit my lip.  It meant that we would have to get married right away if Robert found a place for Braeden to reenlist.  I knew...I knew I wanted to marry him, I just didn’t think I would have to do it in such a short amount of time.  It was a huge decision for me, but I knew if I acted like I was having an issue with it, Braeden would be hurt.  He was sacrificing himself for me and that should have been enough for me to look the other way.  But was I really ready to walk down that aisle? To be with him forever?

It didn’t matter.  He proposed, and I said yes.  That was the end of it.

“That’s fine,” Braeden spoke up.  “We’re getting married as soon as we can, no matter what they decide.”

I didn’t know where he was pulling that out of.  We hadn’t even discussed details, but I guess he said that because we’d been ready to get married when he was deployed the last time.  He didn’t think things had changed so drastically that I wouldn’t want to do it, and I couldn’t exactly blame him.  

“Then I’ll be in touch.” Robert smiled and stood up, and we did the same.  He shook both of our hands, not without a look of remorse in his eyes.  I knew reenlistment was the last thing he wanted for Braeden, but he wasn’t in control of that decision.  It was his job to look into things, and that’s what he was going to do.

We spent the rest of the week at home.  Braeden stopped trying to fix his paperwork, because he was convinced that the Army was going to help him.  I was skeptical, because in my opinion, it was their fault Braeden had gone missing in the first place.  I didn’t tell him that though.  I kept a smile on my face and my thoughts to myself because I wanted him to be in a better mood.  We ate dinner with the family that Sunday, and they didn’t catch on to our engagement, despite Braeden being a little more physical with me in front of all of them.  He would put his arm around me, or kiss my forehead.  My mom would just smile.  She knew things were happening with us, and that made her happy, because she wanted me to be with Braeden.

I figured out of everyone, at least she would be on our side.  

The call came Tuesday morning. Braeden and I were still fast asleep in bed.  He’d had another episode the night before that kept us up until four in the morning.  My head was pounding when the ringing of the phone went off in my ear, and I miserably reached out and grabbed it with my eyes closed.  “h’lo.”

“Abbey, it’s Robert.”

I shot straight up in bed.  “Oh...” I smoothed the hair out of my eyes.  “Hi.”

“Can I speak to Braeden?”

I looked over at him.  He was turned face down into his pillows, exhausted.  I hated to have to wake him, as he was finally asleep after a long night, but I knew he would want to take the call.  “Bray.”  I shook him a little.

He groaned, muttered something that I couldn’t understand, and turned over.

“Braeden.” I stroked his face.

One of his eyes opened a crack, and a soft smile took over his face.  “Hey...Babsey.”

“Come on, sit up a little.  Robert is on the line.”

His other eye snapped open, and he looked at me for a moment, his face pale, knowing it was the call he’d been waiting for.  I helped him to sit up before I gave him the phone, being careful not to press too hard on the scars covering his back.  They were better, but very sensitive, and still needed to be lightly gauzed and bandaged every few days.  It was gut wrenching to look at them when the bandages needed to be changed.  I hated those days at the doctors office more than anything in the world.  I couldn’t imagine why somebody would have caused him so much pain.  

Braeden told me his captors whipped him, but he wouldn’t get into any other details.  I couldn’t blame him.  It made me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

“Robert.”  He pressed the phone to his ear.  “Yeah...Really? Texas?”

He looked at me while he continued to listen, a serious expression his face, because he knew how far away it was.  We would be leaving everything we ever knew behind, to start a new life.  If something went wrong, we couldn’t run to our family for help.  We would be on our own.  But I knew it would be better for Braeden, to have his identity back...to have a decent job with the military, and to be a part of society again.

“It should be fine...” He trailed off and glanced at me slightly.  “I’ll talk to Abbey about it and call you back.  Two days...uh, yeah, yeah we can decide by then.”  

I raised an eyebrow.  “Bray...”

He wouldn’t look at me that time.  “Sure, yeah...I can be there then.  All right.  Thank you...thank you so much!”  

He hung up.

“What...what happened?”

He smiled a little, and pulled on my hand so I would lay down beside him, kissing me a little.  “They have a recruiter job in Texas, at Fort Hood.  The president set it up, Ab.  The president! Can you believe it? They’re saying I won’t be deployed, ever again.  It’s perfect, baby.”

I was surprised President Bush stuck to his word that he would ‘make things right.’  While I still resented the government, I couldn’t deny that Bush had gone out of his way to help Braeden.  It touched me, I guess.  Deep down.  I knew there was no going back after that.  We would get married, we would move to Texas, maybe start a family...and live life the best we could...together.

I was amazed.  Amazed that only months ago I was lying in somebody else’s arms, convinced Braeden was gone.  I started to think of Justin then, as wrong as it was.  Started to think about how unfair life had been to us, how much I missed him and the boys.  It was stupid, but I’d been on the lookout for a letter from Austin and Davey for weeks.  I knew how much they would miss me, and figured they would try to contact me.  But nothing had come, and I started to think Justin had either stopped them from doing it, or...they simply didn’t want to bother with me anymore.

I knew I had to snap out of it, leave them all behind because I was getting married, and moving even further away from New York than I already was.  Braeden was the only person who should have mattered to me then.

But I had this nagging feeling inside of me still.

I couldn’t figure out why, either.

“What do you think?” Braeden asked me next.  

I sucked in a breath, knowing there was no choice but to say what I did next.  “Yeah.  It’s perfect.”  I forced a smile.  “We’ll do it.”

He smiled brightly, pulled me to him, and kissed me long and hard.  “I love you,” he said, breathlessly.  “You’re my miracle, you know that right?”

I smiled against his neck.  “I love you too.”

We were at my parents house for dinner the next night.  Since we had to tell Robert our decision the next day, Braeden and I both agreed that the family needed to be told what was going on before then.  I was nervous as hell, trembled all the way there, and Braeden did his best to reassure me that they would be happy for us.  I just wasn’t sure, though.  Marriage was one thing, acceptable. Braeden reenlisting and whisking us away across the country was another idea entirely.

“It’s so nice to have you two here during the week.” My mother smiled as she passed a bowl of vegetables over to Sammy.  Braeden had called his parents before we left the house that night, and asked them to join in on dinner at my parent’s.  I knew they probably thought something was going on, and when I saw how Barbara was staring at me, like I’d done something wrong, it proved my theory well.

“Yeah, well...” Braeden trailed off as he took a bite of his meatloaf, chewing it slowly and savoring the flavor before he swallowed.  “Me and Babs have something to tell you guys.”

Forks and spoons clattered onto plates.  The first person I looked at was my sister.  She was staring back at me, her eyes wide, knowing something big was about to happen.

He grabbed my hand, and when I couldn’t seem to say anything, he decided to be that strong guy I’d always known, and speak for the both of us.  “We’re getting married.”

I was completely ready for them to throw their food at us and chase us out of there with flaming torches.

“Oh my...”  Barbara spoke first, her voice trembling as she covered her mouth with both hands and started to cry.  

I held my breath.

“This is...this is wonderful!” She exclaimed next.  “Oh...Bray...”  She pulled him closer to her as she was sitting on the other side of him, and they hugged for a long time.  

My mother and sister got up and pulled me into a strong hug as well.  They were crying, so happy that things were finally going as they were supposed to.  

“Congratulations,” My father smiled when everybody calmed down a little bit.  “You kids belong together.  You always have.”

“Agreed.”  Sammy raised his glass.  “A toast to the happy couple.”

We all raised our glasses, and Braeden stared at me, his eyes twinkling as everyone clinked them together.  He was trying to tell me it had gone over better than he expected.  I knew it had.  That was the easy part.  The hard part still had yet to come.  The one where we told them what was going to happen after we got married.

“There’s...there’s more,” I finally spoke up, as my mother and Barbara began to plan our wedding right there at the table.

Everybody looked at me, except for Braeden.  

“We’re moving to Texas,” I continued.  “Right after the wedding.”

“Why?” Hannah said, sounding disgusted.

“Texas?” Mark muttered.

“I’m...” Braeden began, holding up his hand, signaling me that he wanted to tell them. “I’m reenlisting.”

Barbara shot up out of her chair.  “You will do, No. Such. Thing.”

“I have to,” he said, staring her down, an intimidating look in his eyes.  “They’re going to take care of my paperwork, and give me a job at the base, mom.  They’re also giving Abbey and I house, and a new car.  President Bush set it all up for us.  The best part is, I won’t be deployed, ever.  They guaranteed it.”

It was deathly quiet.  I knew that they didn’t want him to do it, but they didn’t get it...we had to go.  If we didn’t, Braeden would never get his life back, and it wouldn’t be right with all he’d endured.  

“We just got you back, Bray,” Sammy spoke up.  “You’re going to leave now?  Texas is awfully far away.”

“Unless you want to pay some lawyer ten grand, and hope he can get my social security sorted out, there’s no other choice.  I’m not going to live like some disabled transient, dad.  I deserve better, and so does Abbey.”

His parents exchanged glances and so did mine.  In that moment, I knew they understood why we had to leave.

“I want you to be safe,” Barbara said.

“I’m going to be recruiting,” Braeden laughed.  “There’s nothing safer, okay?  I can’t get into trouble.”

I wish he’d been right.

Barbara took a few moments before getting up to hug her son once more.  This time it was longer, and seemed very special.  They were making up in that moment.  She was sorry about their fighting and so was Braeden.  I was happy for them, even if she would never really accept me again.  

“What kind of wedding do you want?” My mom started in again after they’d stopped hugging, her eyes filled with excitement and joy.

“Small,” I said quickly.  

Braeden raised an eyebrow.  

“We don’t have much time,” I shrugged.  “There’s no point in spending a lot of money.”

“Babs,” Braeden smiled.  “We have a little over a month before I have to be there.  We can still have a nice wedding.”

I shrugged and looked at my lap.

“You can take some pointers from Candice’s wedding,” my mother spoke up.  “She’s not doing anything too over the top, honey.”

I didn’t care about what my wedding would be like.  I only cared about giving my life to Braeden, kissing him, and moving away with him.  If it had been up to me, I would have just gone to a courthouse with him and gotten our marriage license.  But our family never would have allowed it, and I don’t think Braeden would have either.  He wanted us to have a special night, after everything that we’d gone through, and I guess I couldn’t blame him.  We needed it.  We needed to have a night where we didn’t need to think about anything else except our future together.

I shut my mouth after that, letting the chaos of allowing my mother and soon to be mother in law plan our wedding, unfold before my eyes.  I couldn’t get a word in.  Every decision, right down to the cake, seemed to be up to them.   It drove me absolutely fucking crazy, and since Braeden was preoccupied trying to get everything in order for our move before the wedding happened, I was mostly on my own when it came to dealing with the two women.  Not even Hannah could help me.  They had her running in circles, calling people and putting together the RSVP list for our “small and quiet” wedding.  

I gave up.

I lost it when Charlene flew in that weekend.  I was so thankful that she was there, my fucking sanity, somebody I could actually talk to that would listen to me.  I told her everything as soon as we could sit down and talk, from Braeden’s social security nightmare, to how crazy Barbara and my mother were driving me.
r32;

“Yeah, but you’re getting married!” She squealed and hugged me tight.  “To Braeden! I can’t believe it! Can you?”

“Yeah it’s...it’s great.”

“You know, everybody is just happy for the two of you,” she told me as she leaned her head on my shoulder.  “Barbara and your mom want to make it special.  Let them.  You’re not that picky.  Besides, the most important part is your dress, and the bridesmaids dresses.  I’ll make sure you get to make that decision, okay?”

I sighed.  “I just want it to be over with.”

“Watch Candice’s wedding.  By the end of the night, you’ll probably be singing a different tune.”

I hated it, but she was right. Watching my cousin get married and dance the night away, only made me long for it myself.  I saw how happy she was, how much she glowed after the priest pronounced them husband and wife.  She was so happy, as if she didn’t have a single problem.  Thats what I wanted, to not have to worry about anything, and as I stood there, watching her in all her glory, I was in such a daze thinking about everything that I didn’t even realize who was standing behind me.

“Hey, Babs.”

I felt him kiss my neck, and slowly turned around, blushing because I had jumped slightly at his touch.  “Hey, I thought you were outside smoking cigars with the other gangsters.”

He shrugged.  “I was...”  He trailed off and smirked a little.  “Thought I’d come in and see what you were up to.”

“Just watching.”  I took a sip of my wine.  It was red. Rosa Regale.  Really, I didn’t know why I was drinking it.  It was Justin’s favorite, and the more I drank, the more I thought about him.   

“Two weeks and that will be us.”  He wrapped his arms around my waist from behind and kissed my neck again, as we watched the newlyweds on the dance floor.  “Excited yet?”

“I feel like I’m going to puke.”

“Yeah,” he laughed.  “Me too.  C’mon,” he said, once the music stopped, unwrapping his arms from my waist and pulling me by the hand out to the dance floor.

“Bray.” I rolled my eyes.  “I really don’t feel like doing the chicken dance or the Macarena.

He laughed loudly.  “Yeah, because I’m a huge fan of those too.”

It was him.  It was my Braeden then.  Not the scared, tortured one, not the one who was pouring every emotion into planning for Texas.  In that moment it was just the one I’d known for the better part of my life, and as I put my wine glass down on a near bye table, I began to remember why I had come back to Colorado in the first place.  

And then...another song began to play.

Braeden smiled as he took me in his arms.  The DJ announced that it had been a special request, and I could hear my family and friends cheering as we started to dance together.  It had been our song, always our song, through birthdays and proms and family functions.  He’d always managed to slip it in one way or the other, and then, at Candice’s wedding, it was no different.  

“Braeden.” My lips trembled as he pulled me even closer to him.  “What...”r32;

“Shh.”  He leaned down and kissed me, before he started to sing part of the song to me.  

“These are the moments,” he half whispered, half sang as the tears crawled down his face, and he pressed his forehead to mine.  “I thank God that I’m alive.  These are the moments, I’ll remember all my life...I’ve found all I’ve waited for, and I could not ask for more.”

I bawled into him like a baby.  It was something I never, ever, thought I would do again, dance with him.  It was something sacred with us, something I’d only ever done with him.  And when Justin had pulled me off to dance with him at his benefit that night, it was the biggest reason I’d lost it, ran out into the hall and cried.

I was done after that.  I was going to marry him, and live happily ever after, forgetting about Justin, and what we had shared at one time in our lives.

I forced myself to believe it.

His dreams plagued him less that week of our wedding.  He still woke up at night, and I still had to comfort him, but he calmed much quicker.  I think it was because he was excited about the wedding, so...the dark stuff seemed to retreat to the back of his mind.  It was nice, having that normalcy back in our lives then, even if it was only meant to be for a short time.  

I went for a final dress fitting that Tuesday, and our wedding was that Saturday.  My mom had a function at her school, and Charlene was busy putting together last minute things for my wedding with my sister and the two other bridesmaids I’d selected, so I was going to go alone, before Barbara stopped me halfway to the car, and offered to take the trip with me.  I was uneasy.  We’d barely spoken, but I could tell that she wanted to talk to me.  I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt, because so much had happened, and I was about to marry her son and move far away with him too.  

“It’s perfect,” she smiled, as I stepped out of the dressing room with the dress on about an hour later.  “Abbey, you look incredible.”

I felt myself blush.  “Thanks, Barbara.”

She got up from the bench she’d been sitting on and slowly approached me, fixing the vail that was resting behind my head, before stroking my face a little bit.  “I know...we haven’t agreed on a lot of things, Abbey.”

“Barbara, you really don’t...”

“I just wanted to tell you that I’m sorry,” she said, not allowing me to interrupt her.  “None of us believed that Braeden would ever come home, but you...you never gave up.  Even when you brought that fellow home with you, I could see it in your eyes that you were still waiting for Braeden to come back.  I should have believed you, I should have hoped and prayed with you, and...I’m so sorry, Abbey.”

All I could seem to do was cry then, even though I hated doing it.  I was so emotional though.  I was getting married, getting pulled every which way every day of the week, barely got to see my fiance, and there his mother way, apologizing to me for the first time in years.  I wanted to tell her how much she put me through, and how horrible she made me feel at times, but I just couldn’t. I just hugged her, hard, and she hugged me back.

It was a start.

“I want you to have this.”  She pulled a small box out of her pocket.  “I know you and Braeden couldn’t afford to buy anything elaborate, and in our family, it’s always been passed down to the oldest daughter in the family.  I had boys though...” she trailed off and laughed.  “So I’ll have to give it to my daughter in law.”


r32;I took it from her slowly, and opened the box, gasping when I saw the diamond engagement ring and gold wedding band inside.  I knew it was Braeden’s great grandmothers at one time.  “Barb...I can’ take this.”

“I want you to take it.”  She pulled both rings out of the box, and placed them on my left ring finger.  “It means a lot to me, and I know it will mean a lot to Braeden too.”

I stared down at my hand after that, marveling in the beauty of the diamond, hoping like hell that I measured up to what it meant, tradition, family and most of all, love.  “Thank you,” I cried.

We hugged forever.  I knew things were going to work out with her and I.

We were married on Saturday by the Justice of the Peace.  Braeden wore his formal military uniform, complete with his medals and other various decorations.  When I entered the hall on my dad’s arm, all I could do was stare at Braeden as he waited for me down at the alter.  He was smiling, as were his groomsmen and my bridesmaids.  The music started to play, and my daddy kissed my cheek as he walked me down the aisle.  Then I was right there, right in front of Braeden.  In all my life, I’d never seen him that happy, and when he stepped up to me, and my dad put my hand in his, it took every ounce of dignity I had not to start crying like a baby.

When we kissed, I melted away.  When we kissed, I knew nothing else mattered.  I forgot about everything that had happened in the past seven years, including Justin, including the boys.  My life was new, and I was going to live it with the love my life.

That was April fourteenth.  Now it’s June fourteenth.  We’ve been here at Fort Hood almost three months.  The trip here was simple enough.  The military shipped all of our belongings to our new home for free, which meant we didn't have to sacrifice any of the cool gifts our friends and family had gotten for us.  It’s a nice house.  Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, spacious kitchen and living room.  A great place to start a family.  The car is a Honda SUV.  I like it because it runs.  Braeden likes it because it has good “horse power.”

It’s hot in Texas.  Scorching.  I’m not used to it.  I hide out in the air conditioning, and it’s not hard to do, because every place we go has it.  Braeden works Monday through Friday at the recruitment office.  He doesn’t tell me much about it.  He’s really private about the military, what he does, and who his friends are.  I know he has them though.  They play pool in the little tavern right off the base.  I’ve tried to make friends too.  It’s hard though.  Most of the women look down on me because my husband will never be deployed, while theirs are being shipped out every six months.  I’d like to point out to them what Braeden was put through for seven years, but I won’t.  I don’t need to prove myself to them.  I keep to myself mostly.  I’ve been looking for a job, but Braeden says I don’t need one.  That we have everything we need.

But I’m so lonely.  I told him that too.  I told him all we do is stay on base.  We never go anywhere, we never explore Texas and we’re here...in a place we’ve never been.

So he caved in, and took me to Friendly’s last night.

It was going okay at first.  He’d still been having nightmares.  Those never stopped.  I knew he was scared of being in a public place.  He has a hard time being around people who aren’t in the military.  It’s like he can’t trust them, which I’ve tried to understand, but it’s hard.  I’m a people person and I can make friends easily most of the time.  I found that out in when I was living in New York.  

The waitress came and took our order, and I smiled at Braeden after she left.  “See, this isn’t bad,” I told him.  “We’re getting out of the house for once.”

“Mmhm.” He licked his lips and his eyes darted nervously around the restaurant.

Then they stopped.

“Here you go.” The waitress smiled as she motioned a family of four into the booth across from to us.  “Your server will be right with you.”

Braeden stared at them.  I tried to distract him by making conversation, but I realized he was completely turning me out.  I didn’t want to, but I stared over at the family too.  They were of middle eastern decent, a man, a woman, and two young children, a boy and a girl.  Harmless.  They were debating about what kind of dessert they should get, and the kids kept bumping themselves up and down in the booth, excited to be there.

They reminded me of Austin and Davey, and I began to smile, just a little.

“Is there a problem?” r32;r32;The man had caught Braeden staring at him, and I quickly looked away and back at my menu.

But Braeden didn’t.

“Yeah.  I wanna know who let you in here,” Braeden said.  “There’s a patrol up the road.  They should have stopped you at the checkpoint.”

He got up from the booth.

“Bray.” I gasped.  “Braeden.”

The children and the woman sunk back into the booth, because Braeden was looming over them then.  I couldn’t see his face, since his back was turned to me, but I knew he was being anything but pleasant to those poor people.  

“I said WHO let you IN!”

The man got up from the booth and pushed Braeden back a little.  “Leave us alone!”

That was when he lost it.

He...he just started attacking the guy.  It was like he blacked out.  He was acting like he did when he had his dreams, crying out, calling Anthony’s name to help him hold the guy down.  I just sat there, paralyzed with fear.  

It took twenty minutes and two men from other tables to pull Braeden off of him.

The damage done to the guy, was horrific. His face was bruised, bloody, and swollen.  All he could seem to do was moan in horrific pain.  

I couldn't believe that Braeden was capable of all that.

“Sampson, on your feet.”

r32;The door behind me swings open.  I recognize both of the MP’s from the military base.  They look at me and nod sympathetically.  

I bury my face in my hands for a moment. Then I hear the jail cell door swing open, and have to look up.  They let him walk out, and then he immediately wraps me in his arms, telling me how sorry he is.  I hold him for a while, before the MP’s make us leave the police station.  They drive us back to base, and put an ankle bracelet on Braden’s left leg, telling him he’s mandated to base until his hearing.

He storms into the house.

I follow him.

“Bray...” I put a hand on his back, as he puts his head in his hands and whimpers into them.  

“Just...just leave me alone!”

He screams it at me and roughly shoves me off of him.  It makes me jump back against the wall.

He’s staring at me like he doesn’t know what to do.

I don’t think I do either.

I go into the kitchen, leaving him like that, and sit down at the table.  I pick up the mail, sifting through it as I feel the tears sliding down my face.  This is bad.  This is really bad.  He’s never been this way with me before...so angry, so closed off.  I mean, I know what happened is terrible but usually he would want me to comfort him.

Now all he can do is scream at me.

I find a manila colored envelope, addressed to me from my sister, and it’s the only reason I’m able to smile.  I tear it open.  A piece of paper falls out, along with another letter that’s been sealed in a separate envelope.  I look at the loose paper first, realizing it’s been written in Hannah’s large, curvy handwriting.

Howdy,

I thought I’d say howdy because I heard that’s what they do in Texas.  How are you? I haven’t talked to you much lately so you much be busy.  I miss you.  So do mom and dad.  You guys have to take some pictures of the base and stuff so we can see everything.  

I found this in Mom’s junk pile the other day when I was going through her desk looking for a pen.  It’s from that little boy Austin.  I thought you might want it.  I don’t know why she kept it.

CALL ME.

Love,

Hannah

PS...Prom is next week! Mark is going to look dashing in his tux and I got the most AWESOME dress.  I’ll send pictures.


I don’t wait.  I tear open the second envelope, breathing harshly, infuriated with my mother for not showing it to me.  My Austin must think I don’t give a damn about him, and my eyes well up with tears again, as I unfold the paper and begin to read.

Abbey,

I don’t hate you.

Justin said I could write you a letter, so I am.  How are you? I’m okay, I guess.  Davey is good too.  He likes school.  I don’t know if I do.  Ms. Parks is making me sign up for the spelling bee.  She thinks I’m a good speller.  I told Justin I didn't’ want to do it, but he says I have to.  We practice.  I like to practice with him, but I wish you were here to practice with too.  I miss you.

Are you really not coming back?

I wish you would.  Davey does too.  You must like that other man, I guess.  

Maybe you can come home for a visit soon.

Love, Austin


I sob a little bit.  I hate that I’m just getting this now.  I hate it.  I find a notebook in the drawer and pull it out, immediately beginning to write him back.

Hi Austin,

I didn’t mean to not write you back.  Your letter got a little misplaced, but now that I have it, I’ll make sure you always know how to get in touch with me.  How was the spelling bee? Did you win? If you didn’t, I bet you got far.  Are you talking care of your brothers like we talked about? I hope you are.  I hope they are both doing okay.

I do like that other man a lot.  I never meant for things to happen like they did, but sometimes, you can’t prevent things like that.  When you get older, I think you’ll understand.  

I live in Texas now on a military base.  I think you and Davey would like it here. The weather is always nice, and there’s a lot to look at and see.  Maybe you can come visit me soon? I’d really like that.  

I love you always and I’ll write to you when you write me back,

Love, Abbey


I find an envelope and quickly write out the proper addresses on it before sealing it up.  I make sure my return address is legible enough for a twelve year old to read, before I slip my shoes back on and head towards the door.  I see Braeden as I walk, curled up on the couch, crying.  I know he needs me.  I know things are going to be a little bit crazy from here on out with him, and I’ll...I’ll be there for him because he’s my husband and I love him.

But I’m mailing this letter first.

Forty Six by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Thanks everybody for the amazing feedback.  I know some of you are on the edge of your seat so I will try to finish the story as fast as i can without skimping on quality! Enjoy!

July

“Hey.”  I wave a little, and pull the door closed behind me, sighing when I see the huge mess waiting to be cleaned.

She tosses me a mop and kicks my bucket over to me.  “You’re late.”

I smirk a little, knowing that she isn’t really mad at me.  “I got caught up.”  I drag the bucket over to the mop sink and start to fill it.

“Yeah well...just remember that I’m not here to clean your part of this mess.  If you didn’t come, I would have left it for you, and your ass would have been written up.”

“Have you forgotten?  I’m the golden child.  They would have just written you up for not ‘setting the standard for your fellow soldiers.’”

Jessica scowls.  “I hate you Sampson.”

I beat the shit out of that guy.  Beat the shit out of him.  They told me later that it was so bad, they had to do reconstructive surgery on his face.  The only thing about that is...I had no idea what I’d really done until the next day when I found myself sitting in that jail cell.  Abbey was there, asking me what the hell happened.  I saw the shock and horror written all over her face, and I wanted to explain myself.  I didn’t want her to be scared like that.

But I couldn’t remember a fucking thing.

I wrote the family a letter after my reprimand, stating my apology.  They didn’t write me back, but I knew they wouldn’t.  Not after what I did.

I had to see a shrink for a few weeks before they’d think of letting me do anything else on the base.  It was mostly bullshit. I sat in a room with a military psycotherapist every afternoon, and tried to convince him that I wasn’t crazy.  I didn’t ‘delve deep down into my inner layer.’  I wasn’t about to, with a complete stranger, and after awhile I think he figured that out.  The only thing I took away from those sessions, is the knowledge that it’s common for somebody like me to black out and lose it.  My CO’s just wish I hadn’t done it in a public place.  They like me a lot, know what I’ve been through, so they went to talk to the sheriff on my behalf, and asked him to let the base handle my punishment.  I’m not sure what else they said, because I didn’t ask.  All I know is that after they talked to him, I didn’t have to set foot in civilian court.

I was thankful, so was my wife.

I’ve been mandated to stay on base for the rest of the summer though, and I have to do mess hall cleanup after work three times a week until January.  Most of my buddies tell me it completely sucks, that the CO’s are coming down too hard on me, and I should petition for something different, but I just don’t care.  For one, I’m scared shitless of going off the base as it as, and as far as having to clean, well...I’m pretty good at that.

I had seven years to learn the best ways to get a mess clean in under an hour, to avoid the whip.

I married the love of my life back home in Colorado.  The wedding was everything I always imagined it would be.  Abbey looked angelic in her dress, and her smile was breathtaking.  It was like something out of my dreams, but when she kissed me I knew it was real.  I was alive, I was safe, and I convinced myself that I wouldn’t have to worry about anything ever again, as long as I had her with me.

There was a ceremony held for Lennot in his hometown, but I didn’t go.  There was too much to figure out with Abbey and my family then.  I wrote his family a letter though, told them exactly what happened to him, and that he wanted them to know that he loved them.  A couple of weeks later I got one back from his wife, thanking me for giving them closure so they could move on.  I felt like I had gained closure then too, and since it was right before the wedding, I think it was why I was able to sleep so well that week.  I felt like I’d done a good thing, even if I couldn’t bring Lennot back from the dead.

I fulfilled my best friends last wish.

I heard from Anthony about a month after we moved to Texas.  Apparently he’s doing well, all cozy with his wife and son.  They live in Arizona, and we’re trying to plan a visit soon, seeing as how we’re not too far away from each other.  Abbey keeps telling me to hurry up and plan the meeting so she can start fixing up the house.  She’s always worried about that, how clean the house is and how everything is set up.  If I move something, she questions it.

I think she’s going a little stir crazy.

She wants to work, but I don’t want her to.  The base is safe, nobody can get to her there, and I want it to stay that way.  She’s seen first hand what can happen if she ventures out into the real world.  I flipped out and beat up some guy who was having dinner with his family.  What if that had been us? What if somebody had come up to us and hit her?

I just can’t take that chance, so I make her stay home.

My mom calls me.  All. The. Time.  I swear to God, when I get off of work in the afternoon and come home, Abbey will tell me she called at least three times.  She worries, I know that.  She worries and she misses me, because she didn’t have that much time with me once I came home.  But we had to move.  If we didn’t, I wouldn’t have been able to move on with my life.  My mom knows that, and so does the rest of the family.  She keeps asking me when they can come for a visit, though.  She wants to see how my life has progressed since the homecoming.

I never have the answer, and try to get off the subject as quickly as I can.

I just...I’d rather it be just us right now, me and Abbey.  Phone calls to my parents and my brother are satisfactory for the time being.  Hell, they don’t even know about the Friendly’s incident.  I think I if I told them, they’d all jump on a plane and be here within twenty four hours.  While it would be comforting to know that they care so much about me, I just wouldn’t be able to deal with all the smothering.  

I get smothered enough by Abbey.

She’s lonely.  I know she is.  She hasn’t made friends with the other women on our block.  Some of them are really nice too.  I would know.  I’m friends with most of their husbands.  They always come to the office to drop off lunch for their significant others, and take the time to laugh and joke with me about something.  Everyone has made me feel real welcome here.  None of them try to feel sorry for me because of what I’ve been through.  That’s what I love about being here.  Everybody seems to understand what happened, and they know their limits.  They know what they can talk about with me and what makes me feel uncomfortable.  If I have an off moment, they take it in stride.

I have a lot of off moments.

“You wanna take the left end?” She asks me as I drag the mop and bucket back out to where she’s standing.

The left end is always the worst, it seems.  There’s always more food that’s been dropped on the floor and the tables are just plain old disgusting.  I mean, I’m used to cleaning up disgusting, but I’m free now...not a slave, and I have a say in what I do.  “I did it last time.”

“Yeah, but you owe me.  You’re late.”

I smile, and chuckle a little as I pile my hands on top of the mop stick.  She’s a great girl, Jessica.  She’s been cleaning out this mess hall with me since my reprimand.  She’s new to the military, a private.  I know she hates certain aspects of being here.  They’re the same things I used to hate in the beginning.  The long hours, the drill sergeants screaming in her face, and the chores, but she’s doing it for the college tuition.  

Just like I was in the beginning.

She wants to be a law student, like I wanted to be at one time.  We have a lot to talk about, and that’s good because it makes the time go by faster.  I hate leaving Abbey alone all day and all evening.  I know she’s completely bored without me, so the faster the better.  

“Fine.” I dunk my mop into the bucket and push everything over to the left end of the mess hall.  “But next time, you’re doing it, even if I’m not on time.  Remember, I am a staff sergeant.”

“Yeah, a staff sergeant that mops the floors with the pions,” she calls out.

We get to cleaning.  I’m immersed in my work, because I’m a hard worker, and I try not to let it take me back...there.  It happened the first week.  I was on my knees scrubbing the floor, and I looked over and saw Lennot right beside me, doing the same thing.  He was weak, and coughing.

“Let me help you.” I said to him.

He ignored me.

I guess I must have lost it, but I don’t remember when or what happened.  I blacked out.  The next thing I knew I was...I was in Jessica’s arms, leaning up against the wall.  She told me I was screaming.  She thought I was dying.  I begged her not to tell my CO about it.  At first she wasn’t going to listen. She told me it was serious shit, and that I needed help.  But I begged her.  I told her that my wife would be upset and I couldn’t handle doing that to her after what happened at the restaurant.  So she listened...

It’s been our secret.

Out of everyone on this base, I consider her my truest friend.

“How’s your wife?”

I don’t talk about Abbey much with anybody.  My buddies don’t really ask about her, because she doesn’t show her face all that much.  It always them, their wives, their kids, and then me.  I don’t mind it so much, but at times I begin to feel like I’m doing something wrong.  That I should be including Abbey, even if she doesn’t seem interested in this whole military lifestyle I’ve created for us.  Jessica is the only one who ever asks about her, and the funny thing is, she’s never even met Abbey.  “Okay.”

“You let her get a job yet?”

I mop in silence for a few minutes.  She thinks I’m stupid not to let Abbey get a job.  She says I’m too controlling and in the end it will be my biggest mistake.  She says it like Abbey is going to leave me, but she doesn’t know.  She doesn’t really know us at all, what we had before Afghanistan, and the way our relationship has become unbreakable because of it.  “She’s fine,” I tell her, quietly.  “I provide for her.  She doesn’t need to slave in some retail store.”

“Don’t you think she’s bored,” Jessica laughs.  “I mean, cooped up in that house all the time? And from what you tell me, she’s not a part of Debbie’s Wives Club.  I mean, I can’t blame her.  Who’d want to be stuck in a room with all those idiots anyway?”

“Hey, those women are nice.  I spend time with them.”

“They’re nice to you because they’re married to men that are just like you,” she explains.  “They’ve been living here for years.  Abbey is her own person.  She doesn’t have to organize military bake sales and car washes with the rest of them, to prove to herself that she loves her husband.  They resent her, because they have to.”

I laugh at her.  “Jess, I think you’re overreacting.”

“But I’m not.  Do you know that fifty percent of regular marriages end up in divorce? It’s even higher in the military.  Debbie’s girls band together, to make themselves stay with their husbands.  You’re lucky, you know? You haven’t reached that point with her, at least not yet.”

“It’s not going to reach that point.”  I mop more harshly as I say it.  “Our lives are different.”

“Just because some crazy shit happened to you, doesn’t mean you have more of a chance than anybody else.”

I stop mopping and turn to her, feeling the anger growing inside of me.  “Where is all this coming from? Is it because I was late? I went for a damn beer with the guys, okay? Get over it.  I’m doing my share.”

“It’s not because you were late,” she says quietly.  “I just...I just don’t want your marriage to end because you’re too afraid to let her live her life, Bray.  You’re great.  You’re the best guy I’ve met on this whole base, and you’ve been put through hell.  You don’t deserve to be put through it again.”

She’s the only one I’ve went into detail with about my captivity.  Nobody else has listened like she does.  Nobody else will leave me alone about it after I’m done.  She gets that I don’t want to be smothered, or cuddled like a baby.  She just knows that I need somebody to listen, to take my shit, and move on after that.  Abbey is different of course.  I dont’ get into details about what happened but when I have a bad night, she’s there, holding me, and telling me it’s going to be okay.  She’s the only one that can do that, because I want to feel her touch against my skin.  Imagining it for all those years while I was locked in a cage was the one thing that got me through, and it’s the only thing that can completely calm me down, even now.  

“You should meet her, you know?” I say, quietly after a moment.  “I think you two would get along well.”

She presses her lips together and moves her mop a little bit.  “I wish I could.”

I shrug.  “We can have you over the house for dinner.  Abbey can cook,” I smile.  “She’s great.”

She tries to smile but it fades quickly.  “Bray...there’s...there’s a reason why I’m trying to help you sort out your marriage.”

“Because you want me to help you get on Doctor Phil?”

She doesn’t laugh.

Something is wrong, and the more I stand here, staring at her, the more I know what it is.  But...no...

Not now.

I need her.

“You need to open up yourself more to her, Braeden.  I’m...I”m not always going to be here to listen.”

“They’re...” I pause, trying to form the words and hold my emotions back at the same time.  “They’re not deploying you are they?”

She looks at the floor.

“Jess...”

“Yeah.”  She says after a while.  “I got the notice from my CO yesterday.”

She’s so young, just twenty three, and they’re shipping her off to the middle east without a care in the world.  She could die there...

She could disappear, get locked in a cage, and get whipped every day for seven years.

“No.”  I hear myself say it as I stare at her.

“Braeden...”

“You can’t.”  I whimper.

“This is the military,” she forces a laugh.  “They didn’t bring me here to have me mop floors forever.”

I rub the back of my neck, feeling my face turning red, my insides balling up into a jumbled knot of confusion and pain.  I start to realize how much I’ve been relying on her, how much sanity she’s brought back into my life.  It sucks because I’m married and Abbey should be able to do that.  She tries too.  She tries so hard to make me happy.  But she’s not a military girl.  She doesn’t know how it is.  But Jessica does, and Jessica always will.  

“When?”

I hear her sigh and then she’s in front of me, putting a reassuring hand on my shoulder.  “The day after tomorrow.”

The tears are spilling out of my eyes now.  “You can’t.”

She hugs me.  For a moment I don’t return it, because part of me is so angry.  So angry at her because she’s letting them take her away from me.  But I realize that’s silly.  It’s out of her control, unless she wants a dishonorable discharge, and she’s worked too hard through basic training to do that.  She wants a future.  A future that her family’s finances couldn’t provide.  

I hug her back, so close, so tight.   

“I just want you to be okay, Sampson.” She pulls away from me and holds me in her arms for a moment as she stares back into my eyes.  “You deserve that, you know?  You deserve to be happy with your wife.”

I shake my head.  “All I want to do is go over there with you so I can protect you.”

“Yeah, but you can’t, and you’d be crazy to try. Besides, I’m from Chicago.  I can take care of myself.”

It’s supposed to get me to crack a smile, but I just can’t do it.  Not right now.  “What if I lose you?”

She doesn’t say anything.  

“Jess.”r32;


“C’mon.  Let’s finish, okay?  Your wife is sitting home by herself, and you definitely need some lovin’ tonight.”

She picks up the mop and starts to finish her cleaning job, like what she just told me doesn’t even matter.

It’s the second time in my life that I’m about to lose a great friend.  Lennot died in my arms, and now Jessica is being torn away from me.  It fucking sucks.  Why me? Why is this my life? Why can’t I be a millionaire, give her the money to go to school so she doesn’t have to risk her life to go?

It’s just not fair.

I drop the mop and start to head out of the mess hall.

“Bray!” She calls after me loudly, and I know she’s pissed.

I don’t answer.  I can’t, because it hurts too much.  I start to run once I get outside.  I run forever, around the base, down to the track, and back towards home again.  I see the light in the living room window.  Abbey is up waiting for me like always.  I stop and pant, lean over with my hands on my thighs, trying to catch my breath.

I can’t go in there.

She just won’t understand.

I find a bench a few blocks away and cry myself to sleep on it.

I know how much trouble I’m in when I wake up again.

I slowly make my way back to our house and unlock the door.  Abbey is passed out on the couch.  I know she fell asleep waiting for me to come home and I have no idea what’s been going through her mind all night.  I creep closer to her, can see her mascara dried underneath her eyes, like she was crying all night.

I’m such a piece of shit.

I move her legs slightly so I can sit down on the couch, and I position them on my lap, rubbing the bare skin gently, before I finally get the guts to say her name.  “Babs.”

“Hm.”  She shifts a little bit in her sleep.  

I lean over and kiss her forehead.  “Hey.”

Her eyes open just a crack, and then they widen when she realizes that I’m really there.  “Braeden.”

She’s pissed.

I lick my lips and sigh.  “Ab...”

“Where the FUCK were you?”  She sits up more, pulling her legs off of me and hugging them to herself.  “I was...I was so fucking worried about you!”

“I had mess hall.”

“All night?”

I rub my face with my hands.  She doesn’t know about Jessica, and if I tell her about her, she’s only going to think that I slept with her.  “My friend is getting deployed tomorrow.  We were all just kind of saying our goodbyes, and then...I lost track of the time.”

“Why didn’t you call me?” She whimpers as she presses her face into her knees.  

“I don’t know.  I...I should have, I guess.”

“You guess you should have?”  She glares at me before slowly get up from the sofa.  “You know Bray, it’s been a crazy fucking year.”

“Yeah,” I nod slowly.  “I know.”

“I married you, without a question...after seven years of people telling me that you were dead.  I packed up and left my entire life behind to move here...to bumfuck Texas so you could have a better life!  And all you do...all you do is ignore me! I”m here, alone, all day, Monday through Friday.  That’s my full time job!”

I just stare at her.

She’s had it.  She’s sick and tire of her mundane lifestyle, even if it is with me.  I mean, she’s lucky that I’m even here, but I won’t point that out.  She’s angry and that would just set her off all over again.  “So what do you want?  What can I do?”

“I don’t fucking know.”  She runs her hands through her hair.  “I’m...God.  Bray...I’m unhappy.”

I get up this time, go to her and wrap my arms around her waist.  She lets me.  I’m thankful.  “I’m sorry.”

“That doesn’t change anything.”

I suck in a long breathe.  I know what I have to do, even though...it terrifies me.  Jessica was right though.  I need to let Abbey do her think, or else our marriage just might fall apart.  After all the years I waited to get her back, I think I’d kill myself if I lost her now.  “You want to get a job?”

She turns her head slightly.  “You said...”

“I’m a fucking idiot.  You...you deserve to do what you want, Ab.  I’m not your master.  I...have no right to act like I am.”

I loosen my grip on her slightly, and she turns around in my arms so she’s facing me now.  “You mean it?”  

There’s a hint of a smile on her face, and I kiss her, so it will get bigger.  “Yeah, Babs.  If that’s what you want.”

She kisses me back, happier now, seeming to forget the fact that I was out all night.  It’s a relief, but I’m still scared that she’s going to get hurt out in the world.  “Just...promise me you’ll get a job close to base,” I say, once we stop kissing.  “Nothing out of town.”

She sighs.  “But, Bray.”

“Please?”

“God, fine.  I’ll find something local.”

“Okay.”  I flash her a small smile, and give her ass a little squeeze before she pulls out of my arms.

“By the way,” she says as she goes to sit back on the sofa.  “Who’s getting deployed?”r32;

I swallow hard.

“Bray?”

“My um...my friend.”

She lets out a confused chuckle.  “Your friend who?”

“Jessica.  She’s a private.”

Abbey raises an eyebrow.  “You never told me about any Jessica.”

I shrug.  “I didn’t see the point.”

“You didn’t see the point in telling me you were hanging out with some girl?”

“It’s not like that,” I sigh.  “C’mon Babsey.  You know I wouldn’t do anything with her.”

“Then why keep the friendship a secret?”

We stare at each other.  I can’t explain my reasons to her, because she won’t get it.  She’ll ask me why I can’t talk to her like I talk to Jess.  She’ll tell me that she’s my wife and she should be the one I go to with my problems, and she’ll be right too.  But no matter what she says, I’ll never be able to tell her about the horrors I’ve faced.  I open my mouth to say something else, something stupid that she’ll just get pissed off about.

But then the phone starts to ring.

“Saved by the bell I guess.”  She grunts it at me as she storms off to answer it.  

It’s probably my fucking mother.  I sit down and put my head in my hands.  This is bad.  She’s pissed and I didn’t even touch the girl.  I have no idea how I’m supposed to work through this with her, without getting into a really horrible fight.

“What do you mean he told you I was his mother? How the hell did he get there?”

I look up.  She’s standing in the doorway that leads into the kitchen.  Her face is pale, like she’s seen a ghost, and I know it’s not because of anything I did.  I rise up from the couch.  “Abbey?”

She holds up a finger to silence me.  “Austin?  Oh God...what are you doing?  How the heck did you get all the way out here?”

Who the hell is Austin?

“No, you stay right there.  I’ll be right there.”  She clicks the phone off and sobs into her hands for a moment.

“Who...who was it?”

She shakes her head.  “One of the boys I used to take care of it at the police station right now.”

I give her a skeptical look.  “What?”

“I have to go get him.”

“Whoa.” I let out a nervous laugh.  This is crazy.  A kid? Here?

Not with my temper.

“Can’t you just call his folks?”r32;

She sighs as she begins to gather her keys and purse.  “It’s not that simple, and he can’t stay at the police station anyway.”

“We can’t have a kid here.”


r32;She whirls around, an angry, demeaning gaze in her eyes.  “Don’t even,” she snaps.  “I’m fucking livid with you right now, and Austin is important to me, even if you don’t care.”

She rushes out of the house, and the door slams behind her.

I guess that means it’s the couch for me tonight.

Forty Seven by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
This chapter seemed to take forever to write lol. I don't think it's my best, but I hope you enjoy!

“But why!”

He waved the letter Abbey had written him in my face as I opened my bottle of Muscle Milk that morning, and I sighed.  “Because it’s...it’s not a good idea.”

“She wants me to come!”

I snatched the letter from him, and folded it up so I could shove it in my pocket.  “Forget it, Austin.”

I didn’t have a problem with Austin writing letters to Abbey.  I stayed out of it, let him talk to her because it was the right thing to do.  It made him happier, and I needed him to be a happy kid.  We all needed to deal with the change in our lives, and that was his way of doing it.

But there was no way in hell I was flying him out to see her.  It wasn’t like she was his mother and had visitation rights.  I knew once I let him go out to see her, he would want to go all the time, and I wouldn’t be able to deal with that.  I wouldn’t be able to deal with her face to face, knowing I couldn’t ever have her by my side again.

“I hate you!”

My decision was final.  “Sorry Austin.”  I took a sip of my protein drink.  “You can’t always get your way.  You should know that by now.”

“But...but it’s Abbey!”

“I don’t care who it is.  It’s Texas and that’s too far for you to be traveling by yourself.  I’m done discussing it, all right?  My mind is made up.”

He actually cried, hard.  Usually he just whimpered or pouted, but that morning he was literally sobbing in front of me.  It hurt my heart, but I wasn’t going to give in.  I couldn’t.  I wouldn’t allow myself to deal with anymore pain caused by Abbey Feldman.

“Give me my letter!”

I tossed it at him.

He took it and ran into the next room.

“You better get ready for camp!”

He didn’t answer.  Then I heard his door slam.  

I knew he was in a bad place mentally, but I had no idea what I could do to help him, besides the impossible.  Austin was tough like that.  He wasn’t going to simply sit down with me and ask me to help him or tell me how badly he was hurting inside.  He wanted me to cast him away to Texas so he could invade Abbey’s life.  Even I knew that she wouldn’t want him around.  She’d moved on, and I was convinced she was only writing him letters because she felt bad for him.  Honestly, if I could have, I would have forced him to stop communicating with her all together.

But I knew that would crush him.

I let him pout and cry as I left for work, hoping he would get over my decision on his own.  It was the summer, which meant no school, but both of the boys’ schools ran their own day camps, which I was more than thankful for.  They took the kids to different spots around Manhattan, like museums and Broadway shows.  I was glad they had something to do, because I was so busy at work, I barely had time for the boys anymore, as much as I hated to admit it.

My Friday afternoons with Austin had become non existent.  I tried to keep up with them, but it was next to impossible.  Abbey wasn’t around to watch Davey, and it wasn’t exactly Beth’s responsibility to take him every week.  Trace would have made her do it if I’d presented my case, but I didn’t want to do that.  It just wouldn’t have been fair.

Due to the loss of our special time together, our relationship began to suffer, and the same went for my relationship with Davey.

I found myself coming home to them later and later.  I finally took Trace up on his offer to work on the Trump hotel deal, so after working at Goldman all day I end up at dinner with both both of them.  That meant the boys were left with Lucinda.  I could tell they weren’t happy about it.  She made them dinner and did the basics with them, but that was it.  She didn’t talk to them about how their day went, because that was my job.  But I just...couldn’t seem to fit that into my schedule.  Suddenly, I was drowning in business.  There was so much to be done, so much money to be made, and since...since I had nobody to go home to at night besides the boys, I started to slip.  I started to turn back into that financial robot that I used to be.

But I was so lonely, I just didn’t care.

Danielle came into the picture shortly after our phone call.  We went to dinner, talked, and I realized that she hadn’t changed much since our separation.  She was still all about business, and completely willing to sleep with me.  She wasn’t like the rest of the bimbos I’d been sleeping with, though.  She’d never been that way.  In fact, before Abbey, she was the closest any woman had come to being in a relationship with me.  I was still hollow inside, no matter how many dinners we went on, but I stuck with her, because she wanted to stick with me.  The sex was a little more personal, and I could hold an intelligent conversation with her when I felt like having one.

It took me a few weeks, but I eventually woke up one morning, a naked Danielle at my side, realizing that my life had turned right back into the way it was before Abbey came around.  I didn’t care about anything anymore.  I tried to keep up with the boys but I was starting to like money and sex so much more.  It was awful...

I was going to lose my brothers respect, and trust.  They were already showing me the tell tale signs that they didn’t look up to me as much.  Davey barely spoke to me, and Austin constantly gave me this look like he was disgusted with me.  Sometimes I would bring Danielle over on the weekends, so I could spend time with her and the boys too.  They hated having her around.  They hated watching her kiss my face, rub my leg and hold my hand.  Austin was more obvious about it than Davey, telling her off whenever he could, not listening to her or answering her when she would speak to him.  

She blew it off as nothing.  One day she told me that the boys were more trouble than they were worth, and I should have been looking into sending them away to boarding school.  It makes me sick to my stomach that I considered it for the briefest of seconds.  Then, this funny feeling came over me, telling me that Danielle had to go.  It was weird, even weirder because I listened to it.

I dumped her by phone the next day.  She didn’t understand, called me a fucking coward and every other name under the sun, but I just didn’t care.  When I had a feeling inside of me, no matter how extreme, I usually went with it.  Then I was alone again, completely single.

But I knew it was better for the boys.

I did it for them.

I moved on after that, got completely lost in my work, and by the time the summer started, I was right back into my old mindset.  I was a tyrant again.  I wasn’t kind to my employees anymore.  Some of them were working so much overtime to please me, that I don’t know how they found time to sleep, but I didn't care.  I was putting so much effort into the hotel project, while still maintaining good relationships with our international clients, that I didn’t have any time to think about the people working for me.

Dennis barely made eye contact when he spoke to me.  I think I put the fear of god in him, because I was always yelling at him, always pissed off when something he did wasn’t exactly the way I wanted it.

I was a bastard.

And hell, maybe it’s why this happened.

Maybe I needed a wake up call.

But really, I don’t think it needed to be this extreme.

“Justin.”

I sigh and press my face into Davey’s hair, watching as he continues to play with the Rubix Cube in his hands.  It’s Austin’s, a Christmas gift, but they share it just like any other toy.  “Yeah,” I rasp.

“When is Austin coming back?”

I feel like somebody has punched me in the gut and knocked the wind out of me, and I’ve felt like this for seven days straight.  The pain is worse than it was when I saw Abbey kissing Braeden on the TV, the fact that my brother has been missing for a week literally tearing me apart inside.

It was that same day that I told Austin he couldn’t go to Texas that it happened.  I was at work, immersed in a conversation in German that was about to reach the three hour mark.  They really love me there.  They like to tell me jokes and talk about their families with me more than anything else, and I have to sit there and listen like I really give a shit.  Out of the whole phone call, I think only about forty five minutes was spent discussing their business with the firm.

I think it’s why, when Cheryl burst into my office, I didn’t freak out on her.

“Sir.”

She was breathing harshly, and her eyes were wide.  That set off alarms inside of me. Cheryl was never one to panic, no matter how stressful work seemed to become.  Actually, in all the time she’d been working for me, the only other time I’d seen that look on her face had been when my parents passed. “What?” I mouthed as I continued to listen to my client ramble on in my ear.

“You need to get off the phone.”

I just stared at her.

“Sir,” she said, in a pleading tone.  “Please.”

I told my client I would have to call him back.  He wasn’t pleased with me, but I explained that I had an emergency and of course he would take priority as soon as I was through.

Little did I know, that I would never end up calling him back that day.

“This better be good.” I told her, as I put down the phone.

“Austin is missing.”

I sat up, laughing a little, not sure if I heard her right.  “What about Austin?”

“His teacher just called me.  She said that he never showed up to camp today, and I contacted Quincy.  He said that when he came by to pick Austin up, he wasn’t there.”

My mouth dropped open, and I could feel my heart beginning to thud violently in my chest.  “Why didn’t he call me!”

She bit her bottom lip.  “He’s been trying, sir.  You...you told me no calls.”

I had.  It was my fault.  I put my head in my hands.  “Call the police.”

“They’ve already been informed.  Quincy is coming to pick you up and bring you home.”

“What about Davey?”

r32;“He was dropped off earlier.  He’s at home with Lucinda.”

I got up from my chair and began to pace back and forth.  I knew Austin was mad.  Surely, he’d just run off for the day.  He would come back.  He was old enough to take care of himself...

I wasn’t kidding anybody.  “Oh God...”

I felt dizzy, and faint.  A moment later I felt Cheryl’s arms around me, guiding me over to the sofa in the back of my office.  I sat down, and then...I lost it.  I just cried.  I cried because I didn’t know where my brother was, if he was in trouble, or lost, or hurt.  It was all my fault.  I kept asking myself why I had argued with him, why I couldn’t have sat down with him and talked the situation over.  Why I had started to separate myself from him, and Davey too.

Quincy got me to my building as fast as he could. I was panicking, thinking someone had lied to me, that Davey wouldn’t be there either.  When I walked through my door and he ran into my arms, I picked him up and hugged him harder than I ever had before.  I was so thankful that he was safe, and in that moment I remembered how much I loved my brothers.

But Austin was still missing.  I didn’t know if I was going to be able to get a second chance with him.

The FBI has been camped out at my house for a week, tracking Austin with my debit card.  I only realized it was missing later that first night, after I put Davey to bed.  My bank called me, asking me if I was in New York.  When I said that I was, they told me money had been withdrawn from my account over an hour ago, from an ATM in Pennsylvania.  I immediately grabbed my wallet and checked to ensure the card was in its usual spot.

It was missing.

It told me that Austin had taken it, that he’d been planning on leaving home for weeks.

I couldn’t believe that the little ass had outsmarted me like that.  I wanted to be angry with him, but I was so worried about him that I just couldn’t be.  The FBI had the bank keep the card active so they could try and trace him, and also so he wouldn’t run out of money.  

I knew where he was going, and I told them, but I also said I didn’t want Abbey to be contacted about it.  They thought I was nuts, and I guess I was but...I didn’t want to involve her.  I knew it would just put me under more stress that I couldn’t handle.  I’ve just been here, at home, for a week, praying that they can find my brother before something horrible happens to him.

If...if he doesn’t come home, I’ll never forgive myself.

Trace has been in and out, staying by my side when he can, making sure I eat and making sure Davey is being looked after properly.  We asked Katie if Austin had told her anything about wanting to run away.  She said no, but I know kids.  I know they'll lie to protect each other, at all costs.


“Mr. Timberlake.”

I clear my throat and sniffle as I push Davey further down my lap so I can sit up and look the FBI Agent in the face.  “Yes?”

“Your brother has been found.”

“Jesus...” I trail off and sigh as I rub my face with my hands.  “Thank God.”  

When I get him back, I’m grounding him for the rest of his life.


“Where is he?”

The agent smirks a little, an ‘I told you so’ expression on his face that’s completely pissing me off.  “Texas.”

Another agent comes in and hands me the land line.

I just stare at him for a moment.  “It’s...”r32;

“Yes.”

He pats my shoulder, and leaves me there, alone, with Abbey on the other end of that line.  It’s been nearly seven months without so much as as whisper from her.  How am I supposed to talk to her right now? How?  There’s no choice though.  Austin is with her, and the fact that he’s safe is a miracle.  I can’t be selfish, can’t think about the pain that still lurks inside of me every single day because she’s gone.  I have to think of Austin now, even if I’m completely pissed off at him.  “Abbey?” I say into the phone after another moment.  

“Oh, um, hi Justin...”

She sounds like a wreck.  Like she’s absolutely exhausted, and I don’t know whether its because of Austin, or because of me...

Or because of something else entirely.

“How’s Austin,” I say immediately.

“He’s, he’s okay.  He was hungry and tired but, I made sure he ate, and he's resting in bed now.  I’m...I’m so sorry he did this.  I had no idea that he would.”

“Yeah,” I mutter.  “Well, it’s sort of your fault for putting ideas into his head about visiting you.”

She’s silent.

“I’ll book him a flight.  Get him on the plane in the morning.”

I’m about to hang up, but then I hear her scoff.  “You’re fucking serious right now?”

“Did I stutter?”

“He’s been traveling across the country for a week, Justin! He’s tired, and hungry and hell...he wants to see me.”

“I don’t care.” I say it darkly, even though deep down my emotions are pleading with me to be nicer, because...because I know I still have feelings for her.

But I won’t subject myself to that kind of pain.

“He doesn’t even want to be around you right now, don’t you get it?  I’m not putting him on a plane tomorrow morning just so he can run right back to me again!”

“You really think I’d let him?”

“What are you going to do, Justin?” She says, smartly.  “Lock him in his room?”r32;

“For starters.”

“You’re an idiot.”

I already knew that.  “Just do it, all right?”r32;

“No.  If you care about him so much, you come out here and talk some sense into him, before he runs away from me too and we never see him again.”

“You can’t keep him from me,” I snap.  “You have no legal right to him.”

“You’re right, I don’t.  But nothing in the law books says that I’m bound to provide him transportation to the airport either.  Do you really want me to wake him up so he can spend the night at the police station?”

I don’t.  I know he’d freak out.  The truth is, he’ll be a lot better off with Abbey, and I hate that so much.  I hate that I’m considering flying out to Texas tomorrow morning to retrieve my brother.

I mean, Christ, she’s on the other side of the country, and she's still managing to tell me what to do.

“You sure you can handle him the whole night with all that romance you have going on with solider boy?” I say smugly.

“He’s my husband now,” she tosses out.  “And I can handle Austin, just like I always have in the past.”

I’m literally floored.

“See you tomorrow, I guess," she continues.  "Oh, and by the way, you’re welcome.”

The line goes dead.

I put the phone down beside me, staring off into the distance for a moment, not being able to believe any of this.  Austin is in Texas, safe, but he completely resents me...

And Abbey is married now.

Abbey is married.

I feel my heart hit the bottom of my stomach.  I never thought she’d actually go through with it.  Part of me thought that just maybe, she’d wait for me to come around.

But Abbey was never that weak.

“That was Abbey!” Davey says, jumping on my chest, taking me by surprise.  “Is Austin with her?”  He pushes me back down onto the couch and laughs in my face.  

“Whoa, easy...” I laugh a little and lace my fingers through his.  “Yeah, Austin is with Abbey.”

“So are we going to see her? Are we?”

He’s jumping up and down a little bit as he crouches on top of me.  I see that sparkle in his eyes, the one he used to have before Abbey left and I became an asshole again.  “Yeah. We are, buddy.”

I call Cheryl and tell her to book the earliest flight she can for tomorrow morning.  I make it private, just so nobody will be able to look at me as I cower in my seat and contemplate the worst reunion of my lifetime.

“Justin,” Davey says softly.  

“Yeah?”r32;


“Can you make Abbey come back and love us again?”

I close my eyes and let out a long sigh.  “I don’t know buddy.  I-I don't think so."

He cocks his head to the side, as if he doesn't understand.  “Don't you want her to?”

I lick my lips, and don’t have to think about the question for more than half a second before I answer him.  “More than anything.”

"Then you should tell her." He grins his famous grin.  "You should give her another ring present.  She liked the last one!"

I wish our problems could be fixed with a simple gift.   "I don't think a present is going to fix the problem, Davey." I stroke his hair softly.  "I wish it could."

"I'll make her a present." He promises me.  "Then she'll come back."

He races away, nearly banging into the FBI agents that are still milling around my house, determined to make everything right again.  i wish i could trade places with him, just for a little while.  To feel that carefree again would be a miracle.

But i can't be carefree.  Not when I'm going to have to face her tomorrow, knowing that she's married, and that I can never love her again.  

I have no clue what the fuck I'm supposed to do.

Forty Eight by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
This chapter went soooo slowly, lol. I wanted to kill myself, but it all worked out! Here you go! Enjoy!

“So what time is he coming?”

I continue to stare at the wall as Braeden straightens his tie in front of the mirror.

“Babs?”

I look over at him.  “Huh?”  

“What time is this guy coming?”

He says it with agitation in his voice.  I guess I shouldn’t blame him.  I almost feel a little bad, even though I’m still angry with him. He slept on the couch last night.  It was so unexpected...all of this.  As I sit here now, I still can’t believe Austin made it all the way out here...

Or that I’ll be seeing Justin in a few hours.

“Closer to one,” I tell him, barely above a whisper.  Of course, Justin didn’t call me back to tell me what time he would be in.  Cheryl did.  It was one of the most awkward conversations I’ve ever had.

“Good. I’ll take off at Twelve-ish so I can be here.”

“Don’t.  It’ll be awkward.”

He turns to face me, a tired, defeated expression on his face.  I know he’s a mess between the incident at the restaurant, his friend being deployed, and me fighting with him about it all.  This is the last straw for him, and it’s just fucking crazy that Austin came here at this particular time in our lives.  So much has been happening with his emotions and mine, that I really wanted to try and focus on our problems, fix them before they got any worse.

But all that has suddenly been put on the back burner.

Right now, Austin is the most important thing.  

I feel like him being here is some crazy sign, trying to tell me something important.  I just can’t figure out what it is.  Of course I love the boys, but being able to spend more time with them is just out of the question.

Justin has turned back into the biggest asshole in the world.  I could hear it in his voice last night, almost as soon as we started talking.  He’s bitter and alone, and taking it out on the world.

It’s his own fault.

“You really think I’m going to let you be alone in this house with your ex?”

I shrug.  “You were alone with Jessica enough.”

“That’s not the same thing, and you know it,” he whispers and glares at me a little bit.  

“This is between Justin and I.  I want to handle it myself so you and I can move on, Bray.  We have a lot to talk about, starting tonight, when everything is back to normal.”

He stares at me, like he wants to say so much, but he won’t.  He’s been way too closed off since the incident at the restaurant.  I feel like he’s so distant now, so far away from me, and no matter what I do, I can’t get him to break down and spill his emotions.  We barely talk anymore.  He just goes to work, and out for beers with his friends afterwards, unless he has mess hall duty.  I’m alone now more than I’ve ever been since we moved here.

It’s driving me fucking crazy.

Now he says I can get a job, but really, I have no idea where I’m going to find one if I can’t go out of town.  Besides the local Friendly’s, it’s all mom and pop shops outside of the military base.  None of those places hire people like me, and given the circumstances...I think Friendly’s is out of the question.  I think he knows that too.  I think he knows I won’t be able to find a job, that I’ll just give up and stay home.

I feel like I’m his prisoner sometimes, even though I love him more than anything.

This thing with his “friend” Jessica set me off.  That was the limit for me.  He didn’t tell me about her, and I can’t understand why.  He’s my husband.  We’re supposed to trust each other, but yet, he kept something like that from me.  It makes me feel like I don’t matter as much to him now.  That his military buddies and this girl are the only people that can make him feel good in his life, take his pain away.

It makes me want to leave.

But I won’t.  We’ve been through too much and...and I have nobody else.  If I left Braeden I think our family would be so mad at me that I wouldn’t be able to show my face back home again.

“I’m coming home early,” he tells me, sternly.  

I know there’s nothing else I can do to stop him, so I just sit there and stare down at the floor until he walks out of our bedroom.  I hear the front door open and close again.  Then I cry into my hands, so hard, because I’m scared of what’s going to happen.  Justin is coming here, to get his brother, and he’s going to have to face me after seven months of no contact.  We’re going to have to face each other after that horrible fight, after he said all those things to me that broke my heart.

I have no idea how I’ll react, or how he will either.

But I gotta stay strong.

A soft tapping comes at the door, and I know Austin has finally woken up.  It’s still pretty early, so I’m surprised.  He had one hell of a journey.  After I got off the phone with Justin last night, I went into the spare room that he was in and sat at the edge of the bed for a while, stroking his hair, and thanking the powers above that he made it to me in one piece.  He was so dirty when I met him at the police station, so tired and hungry.  He ran into my arms the minute he saw me, cried into my shoulder and I cried right along with him.  He held me so tight.  Tighter than the day I’d left him.

I knew a lot was wrong, not only with him, but with Justin too.

“How did you get here?” I asked him, once we both calmed down.  

“I...I took buses.”  He reached into his pocket and produced Justin’s ATM card.  “I paid people to say that they were my guardian, and so...the drivers didn’t ask questions.  I’m sorry Abbey.  I’m sorry.  Please don’t send me back to the city!”

I hugged him again.  “I’ll take you home with me Austin, but I have to call Justin.  He’s probably worried sick.”

“He doesn’t care.”  He gripped my hand tightly as we began to walk out of the precinct.  “I’ll stay here with you.  It’s fine!”

I didn’t say anything else until I had him buckled into the backseat of my SUV.  “Look, Austin...I love you more than anything, but you can’t run away from your problems like this.  Justin needs you, and so does Davey.  You have your school to think about too.”

“I miss you,” he whimpered softly as I started up the car.  “Doesn’t that count?”

I could only sigh.  It was too much to talk about in the car.  He needed a warm bed, some food, and a bath.  “I miss you too.  A lot, Austin.”  It was all I said before I drove the car away from the precinct, and back home.  

Braeden was sitting on the couch when we walked through the door, staring mindlessly at the television.  I didn’t want Austin anywhere near him, the idea that Bray could lose his temper and scare the hell out of the kid a very real possibility, but Austin wasn’t going to let me lead him away without asking his questions first, of course.

“Is that your boyfriend?” Austin scrunched up his nose as he pointed at him.

Braeden glanced over his shoulder, looked at me for a long moment, and then finally looked over at Austin.  “More like her husband,” he laughed.  “And you are?”

Austin stood up a little taller and crossed his arms.  “Austin Timberlake,” he stated, proudly.  

“What brings you by?”

“I came to take Abbey back.”

Braeden laughed out loud, but I didn’t.  I knew Austin was telling the truth, and it was horrible to think that I was going to have to tell him that I couldn’t go home with him.    

“Take her back huh?” Braeden continued to chuckle as he stood up from the couch and made his way over to us.  “Take her back where?”

“To the city!” He yelled.  “That’s where she belongs!  With me and Davey and Justin! Not here with you!”

Braeden glanced and me and smirked slightly.  “But I love her.  She’s my wife.”

It was uncanny to me that Braeden was keeping his composure in front of a very angry Austin.  Especially because he was the one who was against me going to get him from the start.  I was proud of him.  It was the most normal I’d seen him act in months.

But I knew it wouldn’t last long.

Austin stared back at him for a long moment.  “You married Abbey?”

“Yeah,” he smiled.  

He considered it for a moment, looking him up and down slowly.  “You’re a solider?”

It was the first time he’d noticed what Braeden was wearing.  His military issued khaki pants and shirt with his rankings on the front and on his sleeves.  “I was.  Now I help the Army find people to work for them.”

“Do you get a gun too?”

Braeden smiled wider.  “Not now, but I did awhile back.”

“I have a Winchester back home.”

“Oh yeah? Are you any good at shooting?”

“Me and my brother got third place at the gun range contest!”

“Austin.”  I gripped his shoulders, because I could tell he was about to lead Braeden into a three hour long Q&A session.  “C’mon you need to eat and get in the shower.  You stink like I don’t even know what.”

“I um...I can help him get settled, if you want Babs.”

I stared at my husband, not being able to believe he was caving in for Austin like that.  I couldn’t blame him though.  Despite his tough exterior, Austin really was a sweet kid, always full of wonder and excitement.  He could make anybodies heart melt.  Even somebody as messed up as Braeden.

“Why do you call her Babs?” Austin asked him next, with a bewildered look on his face.

“I dunno.” Braeden shrugged and smiled at me.  “When we were in high school I started calling her that, and it stuck.”

It was the truth, and as much as I wanted to remain angry at my husband I couldn’t help but smile back at him then.  “Why don’t you go with Braeden,” I told Austin gently.  “I have to get this situation sorted out anyway.”

“Okay, Abbey.”

Austin smiled at me as Braeden took his hand and led him away.  I couldn’t even think straight after that, because I knew I had to call Justin.  Naturally, it wasn’t a good conversation.  I yelled, he made me feel like shit, but somehow I still got my way.

For some reason, he’s flying out here, even though I’m sure he’d rather jab needles into his eyes.

“Abbey.”

He taps on the door again.  I sigh, and wipe my eyes the best I can before I get up and open it.  He’s standing there in one of Braeden’s tee shirts that reads Fort Hood USA across the front.  It’s way too long on him, but it’s adorable at the same time.  “Morning.”  I force a smile and stroke his face gently.  “Do you feel okay?”

He shrugs.  “Can I lay with you?”

“Sure.”

I take his hand and we go lay down in the bed together.  He curls into me, and I stroke his face and hair for a while, before he decides to say something.

“What’s gonna happen when Justin comes?”

“Well...”  I trail off for a moment, trying to figure out the best thing to tell him.  “I’m sure he’ll want to talk to you about what happened.”
r32;I hear him sniffle.  “Do you think he’ll yell?”

I squeeze him a little.  “I’ll try to calm him down before he can.”

Silence.

“Abbey.”

“Hm?”

“Can I stay here with you and Braeden?”

I close my eyes.  “I don’t think so, Aus.”

“Why not? I think...I think it would be okay.  Justin wouldn't have to worry about me anymore.”

“Austin, he loves you.”

“He’s never around,” Austin whimpers slightly.  “Lucinda takes care of us now.”

“Why isn’t he around?” I whisper, feeling terrible about what Austin has just told me.  It sounds bad.  It sounds like Justin’s life has turned back into the way it was before we met.

“He’s always working, or out with Trace, or his girlfriends.”

I feel myself tense up inside.  He’s sleeping around.  It’s awful for him, I’m sure, because it’s just a front.  Justin needs emotion and love to survive, not random sex.  It makes me angry because he’s neglecting the boys to go have sex romps, but it makes me feel sorry for him at the same time.  “I’ll talk to him.”

“He won’t listen,” Austin cries.  “He doesn’t love us anymore, Abbey.  That’s why I came here.  I...I don’t want to be away from you anymore.  Tell him that you want me to stay, and Davey too.  We can live here, and we’ll be good.  I promise.”

“I can’t.”

“Why!”

“Be-because, Austin.”

God, I hate this.

“But why!” He yells, even more loudly this time as he sits up and turns around to face me on the bed.  “Don’t you love us?”

“I do.”  I sit up too, and cross my legs Indian style.  “But Austin, I...I have no right to take you away from Justin.  He needs you and Davey, even if you don’t think so.”

“If...if he makes me leave...I’ll...I’ll just come back!” He yells, his face red, the tears streaming out of his eyes.  “I’ll keep coming back until he stops caring!”

I realize that Justin’s plans to come here and take Austin back with him aren’t going to work out like he wants them to.  Austin needs time with me, at least a few days, so I can comfort him and show him why he can’t stay here.  Justin ripping him away from me isn’t going to work.  He’s too fragile and I guess I have to believe that he’ll try to come back to me again. He’s too strong willed to go back on what he said.  If he can do this once, I know he can do it again.  

But the next time, he could get into trouble.  That can’t happen.

It hits me that I’m going to have to put all the feelings I have for Justin, good or bad, on the back burner.  We’re going to have to have a serious talk about these kids, and figure out the best solution.  Maybe Austin and Davey coming to visit me every few months isn’t such a bad idea.  I think they need me, really need me, more than I ever thought they did.  Convincing Justin of that is going to be very difficult though, but I’m hoping he can be mature for once, and listen to me.

It’s a long shot.

But I care too much about the boys not to try.
***********
My eyes are fixated on the clock that’s on the stove.

12:09

It takes exactly ten minutes for Braeden to get back home from the office.

“I love grilled cheese!” Austin grins.

I force a smile and pat him on the head as he takes another bite.

“I’ll eat grilled cheese forever if I can stay!  Grilled cheese for breakfast lunch and dinner!”

I sigh.

12:10

I see his familiar figure walking up the back porch steps, and then the door swings open.

“Hey baby.”  He smiles, before he places the bouquet of flowers in his hands on the table, and leans down to kiss me on the lips.  

It’s been forever since he’s done that for me, and I know there’s so much he’s trying to tell me.  That he’s sorry about the way he’s been acting, how things have been going, that he wants to make it all up to me somehow.

But we can’t talk about anything right now.

“Hey,” I smile at Braeden after we kiss, and he takes his seat at the table. I slide the sandwiches I made over to him.  “How was work?”

“You know.”  He says, as he shoves the first sandwich into his mouth and takes a bite.  “Wuk.”  He chews and swallows before his gaze lands on Austin.  “How you doing kid?”

“Good,” he grins.  “I told Abbey that I want to stay here with you!”

“Really?”  He acts surprised, before looking back at me with a knowing expression.  

“Yeah!  I’m easy.  I can just...eat grilled cheese and I can clean the house and everything!”  

He’s so desperate.  I’ve shot him down more times this morning that I care to admit, and now that Braeden is here, Austin is trying to get him on his side.  Only, Braeden knows just as much as I do that Austin can’t stay.  

It’s terrible.

“You’d get bored,” Braeden nods.  “There’s not much to do around here.  You’re more of a city kid.”

“I’m from Memphis,” he snorts.  “I’m used to this.”

“I thought I heard a little accent in your voice,” Braeden laughs.  “What made you move to the city anyway?”

I snap to attention.  “Bray...” I try to warn him.  He looks at me, and I shake my head roughly.

“Momma and Daddy died.”

Just great.

“Oh.”  

I can tell Braeden wasn’t expecting that at all.  He’s looking down at his plate now, his cheeks red, knowing it was the worst subject he could have brought up.

“Well, I’m sorry,” Braeden speaks up after a moment.

“It’s okay.” Austin shrugs.  “If I come live here, I’ll feel better.”

I feel a migraine coming on.

“You sure know how to guilt trip somebody,” Braeden laughs.

“Where do you go when you’re on a guilt trip?”

I open my mouth to respond, to tell him to eat his sandwich and leave Braeden alone, but then...

Then the doorbell rings.

My stomach does somersaults.  I’m nauseated.  My entire body goes rigid, and I hold my breath.

It has to be Justin.

It has to be.

“That him?” Braeden asks.

“I...I don’t know.  Maybe.”  I slide myself out from the table and slowly rise to my feet, hearing the doorbell ring for a second time.  

Neither one of them follows me, and I’m thankful.  Then I’m at the door.  I turn the knob, and thrust it open.

“Where is he?”  

Justin storms inside my house, and looks all around for a few moments.  

“Um, yeah...hey to you too.”

God, he looks good.  So good, just like I remember him.  If it weren’t for the bags under his eyes, and the fact that I know he’s a fucking mess, I would probably be able to say that he looks hot.  But I can’t say that.

Shit, I’m married.  I shouldn’t be thinking any way about him, other than that he’s Austin’s caretaker.  Hell, after the way he talked to me on the phone, and the things he said to me the last time we saw each other, I should hate him completely.

But I just...can’t.

“Austin!” Justin calls out.

Naturally, Austin doesn’t come, because he doesn’t want to.

“He’s having his lunch,” I say.

Justin ignores me completely and heads further into the house, searching for his brother.  “AUSTIN!”

I storm along behind him.  This is bad.  Braeden doesn’t want him in the house as it is, and Justin is showing off his attitude problem very well right now.  Since they’re both hot headed men, I know if they get into it, things are going to be very bad.

“Austin!” Justin yells when we get into the kitchen.  He’s angry, completely enraged at his brother.

This isn’t going to go well.

Austin drops his sandwich and stares at Justin.

“Get over here.  Right now!”

“Calm down,” I whisper.  “He’s scared.”

“Don’t you fucking tell me to calm down.”

This time Braeden looks up.  I could tell he was trying to keep out of this, but hearing Justin talk to me that way, has fired him up.  I cringe.

“Hey man.” Braeden gets up from the table and smirks at Justin slightly.  “That’s no way to talk to her.”

“Oh so this is him?” Justin laughs and points at Braeden.  “Nice, Ab.  You got him bonding with my brother too?”

“Justin, just...just take Austin and leave.  Now.”

“Abbey no!” Austin wails in the background.  “No!”

“What’s your problem?” Braeden asks him.  “You come barging into my fucking house, yelling at my wife in front of the kid? It’s no wonder he ran away.”

Justin shoves him a little.  “Stay out of this.”

Shit.

I see Braeden clenching his jaw and flexing his hands at his sides, ready to punch him.  

“Austin I want you to get your things,” I whisper next.

“No.” He’s sobbing now.  “Abbey don’t make me.  Don’t make me.”

“Now, Austin.”

This time, he does what he’s told.  

“Bray just...go, okay?”

He looks at me finally, his expression still full of rage.  “No.”

“Please.”

He lets out a harsh sigh, before looking back at Justin again.  “You’re fucking lucky she cares.”

Then he bangs out the back door.  It takes me a moment, but I finally turn back to Justin, crossing my arms as he stands there, laughing to himself.  “Did you prove your point?”

“Just shut up.”r32;


“No!” I scream at him.  “What the hell are you doing, Justin? You don’t even care that Austin is in one piece do you? You didn’t even hug him or ask him if he was okay!”

“I can see that he’s okay.”

“You’re such an asshole.” I shake my head roughly.  “You don’t deserve the boys.”

“Tough.  They’re mine.”

“You don’t own them,” I seethe.  “They’re people.  Once upon a time, you used to look at them that way too.”

“Abbey?”

I hear the small, familiar voice echoing in the other room.  I stare at Justin.  I know it’s Davey.  “You brought him?”

“What was I supposed to do?” He scowls.  ‘You didn’t exactly give me time to arrange childcare, did you?”

“I thought you had Lucinda.”

He shrugs.

He’s full of shit.  Complete shit.  Davey is here because he wanted to come, and Justin is such a pushover when it comes to his youngest brother, that he gave in.  Only he doesn’t want me to think that.   He doesn’t want me to think that Davey misses me just as much as Austin does.

“Abbey!”

He runs through the kitchen and over to where I’m standing.  I immediately feel myself smile and catch him in my arms, picking him up and kissing his face.  “Hey you!” I laugh and tousle his hair.  “I’ve missed you.”

He buries his face in my neck.  “I miss you.”

I rub his back gently as he continues to hide his face in my neck and shoulder.  Justin is staring at me.  It’s not such an angry stare anymore.  It’s more like...he understands now.  He understands my bond with the boys and what my being gone has done to them.  

“I’m going to talk to Austin,” he mutters.

“Fine.”

He storms away.

I sit down on the couch with Davey for awhile.  I can hear Justin yelling at his brother a few rooms away, but I decide to stay out of it.  I know what a nightmare it probably was for Justin, not knowing where Austin was for all this time.  I don’t exactly condone screaming at the kid, but if I try to stop it, I know Justin will only get angrier, and I don’t feel like dealing with it.

“Here, Abbey.”  

Davey smiles as he pulls something small out of his pocket and places it in my hand.  I gaze at it for a moment and realize it’s a little toy ring that you would get out of a quarter toy machine or a box of cereal.  “For me?” I laugh playfully as I slip it on my finger and admire it.  “You shouldn’t have!”

I kiss him on the nose, and he squeals with laughter.

“Now you’ll come back,” He says, proudly.  

I raise an eyebrow.  I realize it was his plan all along, to give me this gift, so I would want to come back home.

I remember the ring Justin gave me, how Davey asked me about it a few days afterward, and how I told him what it meant.  He’s trying to do the same thing.

Fuck, as if Austin wasn’t bad enough, now I have to try and explain to Davey why it is that I can’t live with them back in New York anymore.  “Davey...”

“NO!”

Justin is dragging Austin by his arm through the house.  He’s struggling so hard against Justin’s grip, nearly slipping out of the shirt he’s wearing, but he can’t quite do it.  Justin is gripping him hard by the arm, a determined look on his face, like he’s about to leave right now.

“ABBEY!” Austin screams.  

It’s the same scream that came out of him the day I left him behind.  Something snaps inside of me.  I can’t...I can’t take it.  I can’t stand by and watch him be ripped out of my life.  

“Justin, wait!” I yell, putting Davey back on the ground so I can get up and follow them out the door.  “Don’t do this to him!”

He doesn’t listen, just drags his wailing brother down the stairs and over to the awaiting limousine in the driveway.  The door is opened for him, and he pushes Austin inside.

“No! No! Abbeeeyyyyyyy!”

The door is slammed shut on him.

I hear him pounding from the inside, and immediately the tears begin to crawl down my face.  I feel Davey run up next to me and grab onto my hand.  I squeeze it tightly.  

“C’mon Davey.”  Justin points to a spot on the ground as if he wants Davey to come over to him like some kind of dog.

I shake my head.  “What’s happened to you?”

“Davey,” he persists, trying his best to ignore me.  “Come on, buddy.”

“I wanna stay with Abbey.”  Davey says it so lightly, and wraps his arms around my waist, hiding his face in my legs.  

Justin's expression begins to turn angrier, and he starts towards us as if he’s going to drag Davey away the same way he did to Austin.  “If you come near us, I will totally kick you in the balls.”

He stops, mid step.  “What...what the fuck?”

“You heard me.”

“This is ridiculous!  I mean, what? What do you want!  You want me to thank you for watching Austin overnight? Fine.  Thank you.  Now let us move on with our lives.”

“You shouldn’t be taking them anywhere like this,” I tell him, firmly.  “I don’t know what you’ll do, and I may not have custody of them, but I know what’s best, and right now...it’s not you.”

“Do you think...do you think it’s easy for me, being here like this?”  He runs his hands over his head and looks at the ground.  “Do you think it’s so fucking easy for me to stand here in front of you and not...and not remember?”

I wasn’t expecting that.  The tears rush to my eyes and I suck in a long breath, trying my best to keep them hidden.  I fail.  They start dripping down my face like two rapidly flowing rivers.  “Like it’s been so fucking easy for me!”

“You married him!”

“So!”

Wow, great comeback Abbey.

He laughs bitterly.  “Nothing that happened between us matters anymore.”  He stomps up the stairs, hesitates for a moment, and then pulls Davey to him, seemingly relived when I don’t follow through on my violent threat against him.  “I’m taking them back to New York.  We’ll be fine, and you’ll figure out how to be fine too.”

“You’re not fine, though,” I call after him as he guides a whimpering Davey back down the porch steps.  “I know you’re not.”

He looks back over his shoulder.  “You ripped my fucking heart out.”

“You didn’t give me a chance to talk to you about it.”

“Would there really have been a point, Abbey?”  The chauffeur opens the door for him, and Justin has to hold Austin back for a moment while Davey reluctantly climbs in the car, waving at me a tiny bit, before the door is closed on him again.  

I walk down the steps and over to where he’s standing.  I’m just feet away from him now, and I can tell how uneasy its making him.  He’s rubbing his top lip, and shifting his weight from one foot to the other.  “We’d always been able to talk before.  So yeah, I think there would have been a point.”

“Right.”  He laughs again.  “Well, it’s too late for all of that now, isn’t it?  Nice ring.  He buy that for you on his big military salary?”

I glance at the heirloom, and scowl.  It was a stupid comment, but I know it’s the only one he could come up with right now.  “It’s been in the family for a long time.”

“Well, I hope you’re happy.”

He doesn’t smile, but I can tell that deep down, a part of him is being completely sincere.

A part of him, a big part of him, still loves me.

It fills me up with a warmth I haven’t known in months.

Because I know I still love him too.

“I...I’m trying to be.”

He stares at me for another very long moment, and then...he reaches his hand out, and it touches my cheek for the briefest of seconds, before he catches himself and yanks it away.  “Take care, huh?”

I open my mouth to respond, but he turns around quickly, and gets into the limo even quicker.  I cover my mouth with my hand, sobbing a little as the chauffeur gets into the car and backs out of the driveway.  There they go.  My boys are gone again, and I barely got to say goodbye.

“Babs.”

I turn slightly.  Braeden is there, leaning against the porch railing, his eyes filled with confusion.  I don’t know what he heard just now, but I know how much he dislikes Justin.  “Bray...”r32;

“That’s it right?” He stares off into the distance as he asks me the question, as if he’s completely expecting the limo to pull back into the driveway.  "He's gone?"

Only, I know that it won’t.

“Yeah,” I whisper.  “They’re gone.”

He nods a little, his expression still serious.  “Can we talk?”

I swallow, hard.  “I...I guess.”

He holds out his hand to me, and when I reach the top of the stairs again, I take it.  He leads me into the house, and we sit down on the couch together.  He strokes my face and hair, thinking it will calm me down.  It doesn’t though.  I can’t think about him right now, about our marriage, and the fact that so much crazy shit is going on with him that it’s slowly starting to fall apart.

The only person on my mind is Justin.

But that’s just fucking ridiculous.

“So, I know today has been kind of crazy,” he begins.  “And, I’m sorry if I got pissed off this morning and before...it was just awkward, you know?”

I just nod, and don’t meet his gaze.

“They’ve offered me something.”

This time, I pay attention.  “What?”

“My CO.  He wants me to take a position in California.  It’ll be just like this, a house and a car, but the pay will be higher.”

I can’t believe him, can’t believe he’d ask me that on a day like today when my mind is so clouded up with shit that I can barely think straight.  “Are you serious?”r32;


“Yeah,” he smirks.  “What do you think?  We can always use more money, and...there’s probably more for you to do out there too.  It’ll be like starting fresh.  Too much has happened here, you know? Things will be better for us in a new place.”

I shake my head roughly.  “How...how can you ask me about this now? I just...I just had Austin ripped away from me and...Davey too.”

“But Ab...they’re not your life anymore.”

I put my head in my hands, and a moment later I feel his hand on my back, rubbing it gently, and telling me everything will be okay.  But it won’t be.  I can’t...I can’t just get over the three of them as fast as he thinks I should be able to.  It’s not fair.  It’s not fair to me or the boys, or to Justin...because I know if he wasn’t so scared he would have told me how he really felt.    

But now Braeden wants to move, and it’s probably to get me farther away from Justin and the boys, more than anything else.

“I have to give him an answer in a couple of days.  I know it’s hard to comprehend right now,” he whispers as he gives me a light kiss.  “I know it is, and I don’t blame you for feeling like this...but you’ll see.  It’s a fresh start for us, baby.  We can move away from here, get settled someplace new, and forget all the shit that happened here.  You can probably make some new friends, find a little job...and...” He smiles and lets his hands travel down to my stomach, caressing it gently.  “We can start working on some projects of our own, you know?”

A baby.  I can’t think about it right now, but if anything, I know having Austin around probably showed Bray what our lives would be like if we had a child of our own.  He probably think it will save our marriage, but I know that’s not a reason to have a baby.  “Bray...”r32;


He sweeps me up into another long kiss.  “Just think about it,” he says, with a gentle smile.  “Give it a chance, Ab.  We deserve to be as happy as we can be.”

He leaves me there, tells me he’s going to go back to work, and I dont’ say anything more to him as he walks out the door.  Fuck, what happened just now? Was Justin really here? Were the boys? Did we really argue like that, or was it all just a big fucking dream?

I close my eyes, feel his hand touch my face, and I melt away into the memory.

No, it was definitely real.  

But now Braeden wants me to move away, and most likely won’t want me to tell the boys where we are.  He just wants me to disappear so Justin will never be able to reenter my life again.

He thinks this is the answer to all of our problems.  Like, if we move someplace else, and start over he won’t be plagued with the nightmares he lived through as much, and in turn, he won’t have any scary episodes in public.  It’s not the answer.  I know it’s not, but telling him that will be like talking to the wall.  I can tell he’s made up his mind about this.  Convincing me is the final hurdle for him, and I know if I say no, he probably won’t take it seriously anyway.  This is his dream...to move us out of here, get me pregnant, and live out the rest of our lives together.

But is it my dream?

Is this what I left Justin for?

No, my inner voice tells me.  You left Justin because he pushed you away and you didn’t fight back.

He was too scared to tell me to stay, to tell me how much he loved me, and I’ve known that since I walked out his door that day.  I just...held it against him, pushed him and my love for him out of my memory to focus on Braeden.

How could I just...let our love fall apart, when I knew how hard it was for him to express himself?

Why couldn’t I have seen things from his perspective for one fucking second?  When he told me to get out, why did I accept that? Why didn’t I stand firm and refuse to take no for an answer?

I don't know anymore.

But, fuck, I...I’m still in love with him.

This is bad.  This is really, really bad.

I should be thanking the heavens that I have Braden here with me, that I can hold him and kiss him and live the life we always dreamed of having together.  I shouldn’t be this selfish.

But I just...I can’t help myself.

The more time goes by, the more my heart aches for Justin.

The sad thing is there’s nothing I can do about it.  I can’t leave Braeden now.  I know what that would do to him, and I would never forgive myself if he got hurt because of me, the woman who is supposed to love him forever.

I have to press on and make this work, because it’s the choice that I made.  He's my husband and I should love him and respect the fact that he's trying to better our lives.

But the biggest part of me, is begging me not to go through with this.

Forty Nine by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
So here is another chapter.  Hope you guys like it!

7:05 am

I should have been back in my penthouse late last night, going over paperwork and preparing myself for the next day.  Hell, I was even considering giving Trace a call before I called it a night.

But I’m not there.

I’m here, at the fuckin’ Hilton Garden Inn, lying awake after a night of no sleep, trying to think of the reason I really decided to stay here and not go home.  I keep telling myself it’s for the boys, that they need time...

But I know that’s not the whole reason.

Hell, it’s not even half the reason.

I was so angry the whole plane ride into Texas, so angry the whole limo ride to her place, and so angry the moment I set eyes on her and that fucking idiot she married.  I wanted to punch the guy, and I could tell he wanted to do the same to me, but then Abbey got him to leave, and I calmed down right away.

At least until I talked to my brother.

“Why’d you do this?”

He sat on the edge of the bed as I stood before him, hands on my hips, and what I knew was a scowl on my face.

“I wanted Abbey.”

“I told you no.”

“I don’t care!” He yelled at me and crossed his arms.  “You only care about yourself!”

“Oh really? You wouldn’t have a God damn roof over your head if it wasn't for me!”

“Good! I’d rather live outside! I could build a fort with Davey and we would be okay!”

Normally I could deal with Austin’s overactive imagination.  It was what made him so good at theater and music, and when Abbey was around, it actually made me smile a little.  But that day I wasn’t in the mood.  He was being unrealistic and completely immature.  

I snapped.

“We’re leaving.”  I went to grab him.

He ducked and ran around to the other side of me.  He was going for the closed door, but I beat him to it.  “Now, Austin.”

I gripped his upper arm tightly and opened the door.  Naturally, he started to scream his head off as I dragged him through the house, but I wasn’t about to give in.  I was determined to get out of there with both of my brothers, and forget about Abbey Feldman once and for all.  I finally got Austin in the car, but Davey decided to be difficult long enough to allow her to speak to me for the first time in months.  It caused me to listen to her, and much to my surprise, I started to tell her how angry she made me feel...how hard it was for me to stand in front of her like that.

Then something inside of me made me want to reach out and touch her.

I did it.  I did it and I could feel something spark inside of me once my fingers touched the smooth skin on her face.  It was something only she could bring out inside of me. Something that nobody else would ever be able to.

But I snatched my hand away, afraid of what I would do if I allowed myself to continue.

“Take care, huh?”

It was all I could say.  I wanted to say more, like...that I loved her, even if she couldn’t love me.  But I had too much pride.

It’s true though.  I know it even more now that I’ve become trapped here in Texas and given myself an entire night of lying awake with her in my thoughts.

I never fell out of love with her.  In all this time, I’ve just been lying to myself, and made myself miserable because of that.

I was almost out of here...I was so damn close.  The limo was racing down the highway towards the airport, and I was going through my Blackberry, resolving a few work issues that I felt couldn’t wait.  I was going to be okay.  I was convincing myself of that.  Work was already taking my mind off of Abbey and the fact that both of my brothers were sitting miserably at my side.  I was going home, going to move on with my life again...

The only problem was, Austin seemed determined not to let me get that far.

“I have to go to the bathroom.”

I didn’t look up from my Blackberry.  “You can hold it until we get to the airport.”

“No. I gotta go now.”

This time I glanced at him.  “Hold it.  You’re old enough.”

“I’m gonna pee my pants!”  Austin wriggled and squirmed in his seat, making sure to hold himself for added measure.

Davey squealed with laughter, and all I could do was groan harshly.  It meant we would be off schedule, and I really didn’t want to be.  “Fine.  Hey, we need to use the rest stop,” I called up to the driver.  “The next one you see.”

My request was met about ten minutes later as we pulled into dingy gas station off the highway.  Ken’s Gas n’ Grub.  It reminded me of Memphis immediately, and all I wanted to do was get the hell out of there as soon as I could.  “C’mon.”  I said, once the door was opened for us.  I yanked Austin out of the car, telling the driver to stay with Davey so he wouldn’t run off.  We went inside and got the key to the bathrooms, and I made sure to maintain a firm grip on my brothers arm as I led him over to them.  “Just...try not to touch anything,” I sneered as I unlocked the door for him.

Austin just glared at me, and went inside, making sure to pull the door closed behind him.

I stood outside the men’s room for ten minutes, figuring he must have been doing number two.  But when that ten minutes turned into twenty, I finally knocked on the door.  “Austin, let’s go.”

There was no answer.

I banged on the door again.  “Austin!”

Still, there was no answer.

Worried, I thrust the key into the lock and opened the door again.  My eyes went wide as they darted to the small window in the back of the bathroom.  It was wide open, and just big enough for a kid his size to crawl through.

He was gone...again.

I punched the door, and grimaced because it hurt so much.  I clutched my hand and swore loudly, the fact that Austin had done that right under my nose, pissing me off more than anything else had the whole day.  “Austin!” I yelled.

No answer.

I rushed inside the gas station, panicked, asking the man at the counter if he’d seen my brother.  He shook his head no, the look on his face telling me he thought I was fucking nuts.  Hell, I must have looked it, the way I was panicking and trying to hold my tears back from the guy.   I ran out of there after that, jumped back into the limo and yelled at the driver to turn back down the road so we could find Austin.

We weren’t even half a mile out before I spotted him at the side of the road, thumb out, trying to hitch a ride, most likely right back to Abbey.  The limo skidded to a stop just feet in front of him, and I was in such a rage that I barely watched out for traffic as I swung the door open and got out of the car.  A horn blared loudly as I did it, nearly side swiping me and taking the door off, before I ducked back in and closed the door part way.  Then I was more than just enraged.  “Are you fucking crazy!” I yelled it at him once the coast was clear and I was able to get out of the car.  I slammed the door behind me.  “What are you doing!”

“I’m not going with you!” He yelled, and took a few steps down the road, extending his arm out even further when the next car came roaring by.  “I’m staying here with Abbey!”

“Abbey doesn’t want you!” I yelled back as I made my way closer to him.  “Don’t you know that!  She’s done! She’s moved on!”

“Yes she does!  She love us...all of us...even you!” He was sobbing now.  “You’re just mad because you messed up everything! Why did you tell her to leave! Why didn’t you make up with her!”

“Because...I...I...I DON’T KNOW!”

His hitching arm dropped down at his side, and he stared at me, his eyes wide because I’d yelled in such a way that I probably scared the shit out of him.

“We have to go,” I finally said.  “Right now.”

“I’m not going! If you...if you take me back, I’ll run away again!  I will!”

I knew he wasn’t kidding.  That was the thing with Austin...he was just like me.  If he didn’t like how something was going, or what somebody told him he had to do, he took matters into his own hands and figured out another way to handle the situation.  I knew I wouldn’t be able to handle him running off all the time, and if something were to happen to him, something bad, I knew I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself either.  It sucked, he was thirteen years old, and I had no choice but to give into his demands.  “What do you want me to do, Austin?”

“I want to stay here,” he muttered.  

So we did.

I found the nicest hotel that I could.  Since we’re not near any of the major Texas cities though, it wasn’t exactly easy.  The closest five star hotel was over two hours away, and I didn’t feel like making the trip.  We stopped and asked for directions at another rest stop, and the clerk told me that the Hilton was ‘awful nice.’  The rooms here at tiny, but it’s clean and the staff seems to be okay.  I got two rooms.  One for me and one for the boys.  They have a video game console, and I listened to them through the connecting door for most of the afternoon as I stared up at the ceiling.  They were bantering like always, but I knew that Austin was taking care of his brother.

He always took care of him, it seemed, ever since Abbey left.

I look at the clock again.

7:45

I ordered in room service for all of us last night.  The boys ate in their room and I ate alone in mine.  It sucked.  I wanted to be back in the city, eating at my favorite restaurant with Trace as we talked over business.   

I’m praying that today I’ll be able to convince Austin to cooperate somehow.  I’ve been going over a million ideas in my head.  A million different ways I can bribe him.  But the thing about Austin is, he’s not a needy kid.  He values love and family more than he does material possessions.  It’s strange for a kid his age to act like this, but at the same time I know it’s because our parents died and he didn’t have much time to grieve about it.  Abbey saved him in a way, made him a better person.

It’s no wonder he can’t live without her.

My phone buzzes beside me, and pick it up to find that I have a text message from Trace.

Hey, how did it go? Did you get Austin? Are you on your way back?

I let out a long sigh.  He’s not going to like my answer, and I know it, but there’s nothing I can do to change things at the moment.

Terrible.  Austin’s with me, but there’s some complications.  I might be a few more days, but I’m not sure.

A few more days? Did Abbey get to you?

Of course I know the truth, but I decide to lie to him to protect my dignity.  No.

My phone starts to ring.  I know it’s him so I don’t bother to look at the ID.  “Timberlake.”

“Don’t Timberlake me, you asswipe.”

“Trace...”r32;


“What happened, J?”

“Nothin’...”  I trail off and rub my face with my free hand.  “Austin needs some time to calm down, that’s all.  If I drag him back to New York he might run off again.”

“It’s called control,” he laughs.  “Ever heard of it?”

“It’s not that simple.”

“Of course it is, but this isn’t even about Austin, is it?”

“What else would it be about?”

“C’mon,” he scoffs.  “Are you really going to try and bullshit me right now?”

“There’s nothing going on...”

“Whatever man,” he sighs.  “If you’re gonna lie to me, I’m not gonna bother you.”

He’s about to hang up, and I almost want to let him, but at the same time he’s my best friend in the world, and I need advice right now.  Any type of advice.  “Trace...wait a sec.”

“What now?”

“Can I...can I ask you something?”

I hear him sigh heavily and it takes him another few moments to finally answer me.  “Depends what it is.”

“It’s about Abbey.”

He groans miserably.

“Trace, come on.  Please?”

“Ask fast before I change my mind.”

I don’t want to ask him, but...I just have to know.  It’s important to me, the truth, because I value his opinion even if things have been rocky in our friendship this year.  “What did you ever have against Abbey?”

“God, Justin...do you have to go there?”r32;

“Yeah.  I do.”

“She just...distracted you so much from what we were doing. You changed so much after you started getting with her, and then...then you formed this relationship with her...”

“I fell in love with her, Trace,” I whisper.

“It was weird.  I never saw it coming,” he admits.  “I guess...I guess it wasn’t anything that she did.  It was just the whole situation, and then when she came to visit me in jail...it was even fucking weirder.  I could never look at her the same after that.  I didn’t know what to think about her.  The whole time I felt like she stole my best friend from me and then...it was like, wow, she gives a damn about me.  I didn’t know how to act around her once I was out.  It was weird, you know? I never...I never resented her though.”

“You didn’t?”

“No I...I guess I always thought she was the right girl for you once you started getting serious.”

I hate that he held that all in for so long.  If I’d known, if he made a little effort to tell me his true feelings about her, maybe it would have helped me.  Maybe it would have made me realize how special Abbey was and that we should talk before she walked out of my life.  I can’t blame Trace of course.  He was a mess for a long time.  “What about now?”

“You’re asking me if I think you should fight for her, right?”

I feel so stupid right now.  “Yeah, I guess.”

He laughs, long and hard.

I want to crawl into a hole and die.

“Justin, you already know that you love her.  Hell, you’ve been a fucking mess for months.  It doesn’t matter what I think.  You don’t need my blessing.  Just...go for it, if that’s the way you want your life to be.”

“She got married.”

“No fucking way.”

“Yeah,” I laugh sadly.  “To that guy she was kissing.”

“And you still love her?”

I sigh.  “Yeah.  Stupid right?”

“No,” he says it softly, as if he really cares.  “She’s the stupid one if she doesn’t realize how much you’re sacrificing to save the relationship.  If you want to be with her Justin...try your best to be with her, but you gotta be prepared for her to turn you down.  You have to walk away from her if she does, you know that right?”

It’s probably the best advice I could get from him regarding Abbey, and I’m thankful that he got himself together enough to even have this conversation with me.  “Yeah, I know.”

“Let me know how everything goes, all right? Take your time...I’ll make sure Dennis has everything under control.”

“Yeah...all right.”r32;

“I’ll talk to you.”

“Trace,” I blurt out before he can hang up.  

“Yeah?” He laughs.

“Thanks.  For everything.”

“I hope you get your wish, Justin.”  He says it quietly, and then the line clicks off.

I stare back at the phone, wondering what the hell my next move should be. I must be crazy.  I mean, I’m going to chase after a married woman?  It’ll never work.  I’m not that slick, not that charming.  My money can’t buy Abbey’s love.  That’s something I have to earn, that I had earned once upon a time.

Oh fuck, what do I do?

I pull up her home phone number.  The police gave it to me before I flew out to get Austin.  I stare at it, debating what I should do, if it’s worth it, if she loves me enough to give me a chance.  

I send the call through.

One ring.

Two rings

Three rin...

“Hello?”

It’s her.  I sit up in bed, completely at a loss for words.

“Hell-lo?”

“Um, Ab...”

“Who’s this?”

“It’s...it’s me.”

“Justin?”  Her voice goes down into a low whisper.

She must not be alone.

“Yeah.”

“Are the boys okay?”

I get up from the bed and begin to pace back at forth across the hotel room, feeling the smile pulling at my lips by just hearing the sound of her voice.  “Yeah, they’re fine right now.”

“Oh...well, did you get back home okay?”

I chuckle a little.  “Well...I didn’t exactly make it...back home.”

“What?”

“I...I’m still in town, a few miles from you, actually.”

She’s silent for a very long moment.  I know she’s trying to process all of this, and I’m sure she’s very confused as to why I wouldn’t have flown right back to the city.

“Why?” She finally says.

“I have a very stubborn brother,” I laugh.

She doesn’t.  “Do you want me to talk to Austin?”

“No.  I want to take you to dinner.”

I say it so fast that I can’t stop myself, and I whack my hand on my forehead, close my eyes, and curse under my breath.

“Justin...” she trails off for a moment.  “Have you...have you lost your damn mind?”

“Yeah.” I let out a strange little laugh.  “Probably.”

“Are you sure the boys are okay?”

“God, yeah,” I sigh.  “They’re still sleeping.  I just...I wanted to ask you to dinner, that’s all.”

“Justin...I...I’m married.”

“It’s just dinner.”

“I can’t.”

“Lunch then,” I persist, knowing I’m pushing my luck.

She’s never coming back to me.  She’s going to stay married to that guy and live happily ever after.

At least, I think she’ll be happy.

But I just can’t be sure.  There was a despondence in her eyes when I stared into them yesterday afternoon.  It was like, she was so empty inside, so lonely, so unhappy.  I want to find out what’s going on, and if nothing else, make sure that she’s going to be okay.

I love her too much to let her ruin her life.

“I...I dunno, Justin...”

“I owe you.  You helped Austin, and I acted like a prick.”

“True...”

“So lunch then?” I say, brightly.

“I can give you a couple of hours, I guess...but we have to be back before three.  Braeden can’t know about this.”

I smirk a little.  “Done.  I’ll pick you up.”

“Fine.”

“See you around noon then?”r32;

“I guess so, yeah.”

“Great.”

I start to hang up, but then I hear her call back to me and I immediately press the phone back to my ear.  “Yeah, Ab?”

“Do me a favor and lose the limo, okay?”

I chuckle.  “Done.”

I hang up, stare at the ceiling and start to wonder if I’m making a huge fucking mistake.

Christ, I hope this works.

Fifty by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Oh snap!

What am I doing?

I mean, seriously, what the hell am I doing?

I stare back at myself in the mirror for the thousandth time this morning, trying to decide if my makeup looks too overdone or if my outfit is ridiculous.  I’ve changed twelve times.  Twelve times.  I’ve put my hair up and taken it down so many times now that I can’t keep track anymore.

I’m married.

Making an effort for Justin should be out of the question.  I should be going to this lunch without makeup, in a pair of old jeans and one of Braeden’s many Fort Hood tee’s, preparing myself to talk about the boys and only the boys with him during this little get together.  

But as much as I love and care for both of my boys, they’re actually the farthest thing from my mind right now.  I can only focus on Justin, what really possessed him to stay here, and what he wants to talk about with me today.  There’s not a doubt in my mind that he still cares about me now.  This morning on the phone I heard the Justin that I used to love.  The one with a heart.  It was like something had given him a wake up call, forcing that part of himself to come back to me.  

Maybe he just wants to be friends.

Yeah, right.

What am I supposed to do if he starts telling me that he loves me still? I mean, what the hell am I supposed to do? Tell him I love him too? That I never stopped?

That would be the truth.

But then what about Braeden? What about our marriage, our...supposed love?  What about the sacrifices he’s made for me? I can’t just hang him out to dry, tell him, ‘it was a nice run, Bray, but it’s over now.’  No.  Our relationship is different.  He’s different.  He’s terrified of everything and won’t trust anything or anybody that doesn’t have a place in the military.  

He’d never make it without me.

I don’t want to think of the consequences if I did decide I couldn’t be with him anymore.

As it is, he had another night terror last night.  It was bad, worse than it’s ever been.  I just...I couldn’t get him to calm down.  He was screaming and crying out, pushing and clawing at me, trying to get me away from him, as if I was one of his captors.  I had to drag him into the shower, and turn the cold water on him, clothes and all, before he finally snapped out of it.  I sat there, against the toilet, as he stared back at me, breathing harshly, the water pouring down over him.  He finally started to cry, telling me how sorry he was.  I knew he’d snapped out of it, and that should have relieved me...

But I was tired.  I was so tired, and I knew that no matter what I did, I would never be able to make him better.  I didn’t understand the whole situation, because he wouldn’t talk to me about it.  I was still on the outside, even though he tried to keep me so close to him.  Our sex life was...barely there.  He tried to perform, I tried to help him along, but the more we tried the more his body seemed to resist.  It just...wasn’t something he was able to do anymore, not for very long anyway.  Of course, sex wasn’t everything, but the fact that we weren’t able to have it at all, was hard for us.  We both wanted to love each other that way, and because we couldn’t, we were growing more distant as the days passed.  It was making Braeden moody, which caused me to argue with him.  At times, I felt that all we did was argue, and it was crazy because...because before all of this happened, we never, ever argued.

I had to admit it to myself.

Our marriage was falling apart.

It still is.

He knows it too, and I’m sure it’s the biggest reason he’s so dead set on moving us out to California and getting me pregnant.

Only, that’s not the answer to our problems.  Bringing a child into our lives right now would be a huge mistake and I refuse to do it, only...I haven't exactly made my feelings known, because I’m scared of his reaction.  He needs help.  A lot more help than he’s getting.  But he won’t seek it out.  He’s too proud, too dead set on showing all of his military buddies that he can survive anything.  

I don’t know how much longer I can last.

I guess it’s why I told Justin I would go to lunch with him.  I just...I need someone to talk to, about anything besides Braeden.  It’s hard for me to talk to my family or Charlene on the phone.  All they want to know is how things are with us, what we’re doing, what our plans are.  I just...I don’t find joy in making up stupid lies about how good we have it out here.  The truth is, we don’t do anything, at all, especially now that he’s mandated to base.  He’s never around.  He’s always working or drinking with his buddies, and when he is around, we’re usually arguing or crying.  The only good time we seemed to share was when Austin was in the house.  Braeden smiled more than he had in months and so did I.  But now Austin is gone.  That happy time is over now.  We’re back to square one, and I dont’ want to think about how bad things are going to get from here on out...

Especially if we move again.

I continue to stare at my reflection until the sound of the phone ringing snaps me out of my daze.  I walk back into the adjoining bedroom, and pick it up, hoping its Justin.  “Hello?”

“Hey baby.”

I do the best I can not to sigh.  “Hey, Bray.  How’s your day?”

“It’s all right.  How about you get us a movie off the Pay Per View and make that roast in the fridge?”

He’s trying so hard to make up for last night.  It’s the Braeden I used to love on the line, and I feel the tears building up behind my eyes.  This is the version of my husband that I need, not the other ones.  Not the messed up one, or the angry one, or the distant one.  It makes me want to forget all about Justin, curl up on the couch with Braeden as soon as he gets home and forget about all of our problems.

But I know they’ll just be waiting for us the next day.

“Okay,” I say it gently, trying not to give my emotions away.  “What time are you coming home?”

“Five I guess.  It’s slow so maybe four thirty if my CO lets me out.”

“I’ll make sure it’s done for you then,” I promise him.  “I’ll see you later.”

“Babs.”  He says it quickly, before I can end the call.

I close my eyes, squeeze them shut, trying to press out all the horrible emotions inside of me.  “I’m here.”

“I love you.  You know that, right?”

“Yeah,” I whisper.  “I know.”

I hang up, feeling even worse about lunch with Justin now.

I’d cancel on him too.

But something inside of me won’t allow it.  Maybe it’s because of the boys, because I know they’ll be there and be devastated if I don’t show.  

I nod a little. I’ll do it for them.

It’s 11:45 by the time I finish getting ready.  I end up wearing the first outfit I originally put on this morning, and decide to just leave my hair down.  I sit on the sofa after that, watching the news, my legs bobbing up and down, my hands trembling as I wait for the signal that Justin has arrived to pick me up.

The doorbell rings at 11:58, and it seems to take me at least ten minutes to grab my purse, and answer the door.

“Shit, I thought you weren’t gonna answer.”  He lets out a nervous laugh as he shoves his hands into the pockets of his jeans and rocks back on his heels.

He’s scared shitless too.

It makes me feel slightly better.

“Oh I...I was just in the...the basement putting laundry in.”  I don’t meet his gaze.

“Right.”

It’s silent and awkward for the longest time after that.

“I passed this little restaurant outside of town on the way back from the car rental place,” he tells me.  “Filligans...something.  You know if they have good food?”

I shrug.  It’s sad.  I think I’ve heard of the place, but it’s outside of town, out of bounds.  “I’ve never been there,” I admit.

He laughs and gives me a worried look.  “It’s like ten miles away from here.”

“So?”

“It’s...it’s fine.”  He smiles and laughs.  “I’ll take you there.  I’m sure it’ll be cool.”

“Okay.”  I step out onto the porch, and glance around nervously for a moment, before pulling the door closed and locking it.  “Where are the boys?”

“With a sitter.”

I turn around.  “Where did you find a sitter?”


He chuckles.  “Money talks, even here.  The hotel manager at the place I’m staying offered to do it when I asked about a nanny service in the area.  She was taking her kids to the movies today anyway, and the boys were fine with it.”

He never had any intention on bringing the boys to this lunch with him.  He wanted to be alone with me.

I’m so fucking scared, but I know...I know I won’t turn back now.

“You um...you ready to go then?”

I glance at the car parked in the driveway.  Naturally, he rented a Mercedes.  Even now, here in bumfuck Texas, it’s only the best for Justin.  I’ve forgotten that lifestyle.  What it’s like to have everything.  But I don’t care about that.  In fact, I wish he wasn’t rich.  His money makes him so damn greedy and arrogant at times.  This version right now, outside of his car, outside of Manhattan and Goldman is the real, raw version of Justin that I fell in love with.  The one he doesn’t allow anybody else to see.  

“Abbey?”  

He’s opened the door for me, and is standing there, hoping like hell that I come over to him.  He’s terrified that I’m going to turn him down and run back into the house, only...he has no idea how much I really do want to go with him.  

“Coming.”  

He smiles as I get into the passenger side, and closes the door for me.  Seconds later he’s in the drivers seat, turning the engine over and yanking his seatbelt on before backing the car out of my driveway and driving away...

Taking me away from what’s slowly turning into my own personal hell.

It’s never hit me this hard before, how much I don’t want to go back there.

I find myself stealing little glances over at him as he drives.  His focus is fixed on the road ahead, his expression strong, confident, and he looks so handsome with his tinted aviators and one hand on the steering wheel.  He smells like I remember, that faintly sweet scent of his cologne that I could never remember the name of.  I feel myself slipping away into him all over again.

But I can’t let him know that.

The car ride is silent.  It’s a tell tale sign that Justin is thinking, hard.  He wants to say the right things to me, but he doesn’t know what they are yet.  Part of me is loathing our lunch conversation, but the other part is longing for it.

We can’t get there fast enough, and then...then we’re suddenly there, in the parking lot.  Justin turns the car off, and we sit there for a few moments, just looking at each other.  I can feel the smile threatening to break out across my face, so I quickly look away from him.  

“Ready?” He asks.

“Uh...y-yeah.”

We enter the place.  It’s pretty packed.  I guess this must be the local lunch hangout.  I think we’re going to have to wait along with all the other people that have already given their names, but then Justin hands the hostess a couple of hundred dollars bills, and we get seated right away after she finishes thanking him profusely.

It tells me he’s not going to let anybody spoil this moment for him.

It tells me that he loves me.

“So...how’ve you been?”

I try to keep my attention on the menu.  I’m curious of course.  I’ve never been here and they seem to have everything you could want to eat or drink.  But I feel Justin’s eyes on me, and I know I have to look up at him.  “Good.” I force a smile and the same enthusiasm that I do for my family.  “It’s different being in Texas, but I’m getting used to it.”

He nods a little.  “Yeah, that’s cool.  But I was talking about you being married.”

Oh.  Yeah, that.  “It’s good too.”

I look down at the menu.

“Just good?”

I shrug.  “What do you want me to say about it?”

“It’s not what I want you to say...”

“Look.” My eyes float back up to his concerned expression.  “I’d rather not talk about Braeden right now.”

He licks his lips, and nods a little, seeming to understand.  “Fine.  No problem.”

I ask him the first thing that pops into my mind, so the subject will change.  “How did Austin do with his spelling bee?”

“How’d you know about that?” He smirks.

“The letter he wrote me.”

“Oh...well, he took third,” he chuckles.  “He was real pissed, but I made sure he knew I was proud of him.  It was an all city thing so...considering how rough of a time he’s had in school, it was a big thing for him.”

“That’s great.”  I try to smile but fail.

Fuck, this is so awkward.

The waitress comes and takes our orders.  Despite the size of the menu, I only order a simple salad, because I don’t think I could stomach anything else.  Justin gets a steak for himself, and some wine for the both of us.  I shouldn’t drink today.  It’ll be bad but...I won’t say no to Justin today.  He’s put too much effort into this.

The wine is poured and we both seem to seek refuge in it for a few moments.  It’s gotten awkwardly quiet between us again.  He doesn’t know what to say to me, and I have no idea what I’m supposed to say to him.  “Justin.”  I finally break the ice after I’ve downed my first glass of wine.

He sits up a little.  “Yeah?”

“Why...why did you want to take me to lunch?”

He rubs the top of his lip.  It’s that nervous habit of his that I came to love over time.  “I wanted to talk.  I should have talked to you a long time ago, but I got scared, Ab.  Everything happened all at once and...and I’m the type of person who can’t deal with things like that.”

I feel the tears pushing their way out from behind my eyes, and then one escapes and glides down my face.  “It’s too late to talk, Justin.”

“It’s not too late,” he whispers it and leans across the table, so he can put his face in front of mine.  “I love you.  I think...I think I’ve loved you from the moment you walked into my office that day.  I was dumb, selfish, and arrogant.  I... I was scared of what would happen if...if we talked and I let you go off to spend more time with your family and Braeden.  I just, lost it, and I said things...a lot of things, that were fucked up.  I didn’t mean them, and I know that me saying that doesn’t make up for it, but I wanted you to know the truth.”

I look up at him.  Great.  His timing is just fucking great.

“I just...I just wanted to tell you that.  I‘m not expecting anything, Abbey.  I...I was a fucking asshole.  I’m probably the biggest one on the planet, and I know that.  Nothing that happened was your fault.  If I’d supported you more...maybe things wouldn’t have went as bad as they did in the end.  I should have understood.”

I wipe away the flurry of tears that have seeped out of my eyes due to his speech. Fuck, he can’t sit here and say this shit to me.  He just can’t.  He loves me? He loves me! “You love me?” I whisper.  “Why the fuck didn’t you tell me that before?  Why did you tell me that you...that you never loved me?  Do you even know...”  I trail off because I can’t help the soft sob that escapes me.  “Do you know what that did to me?”

“Yeah.”  He looks down at the table for a moment before looking up at me again.  “That’s why I said it.  I wanted you to feel as hurt as I did, and that...that was wrong.”

I press my lips together.  I don’t know what the hell I’m supposed to do, or say.  I mean, Jesus.  This is so much.  So much to put on me during a lunch date.  “Justin I...I can’t do this.  I have...I have other things I have to worry about.”

“I’m not gonna let you go, Ab.”  He shakes his head.  “Not for him.  Not without a fight.”

My nostrils flare.  I’m so...I’m so angry.  Angry because he thinks he can just...take hold over me and love me again, just because he’s gotten some sense knocked into him.  He can’t...

But God, God, I know I love him too.

I never stopped.

“Are you even happy, Abbey?  Is your marriage happy?”

“Justin, stop it.”

He pulls my hand into his.  “Because I can tell that you’re tired and lonely.  I can see it all over your face, because it’s the same way I’ve looked for months.”

I tear away from him, frightened, not being able to handle what he’s telling me.  Then I’m running out of there, trying to get away.  But we’re far from my place, and all I can seem to do in the end is lean against the car and slide down onto the hot asphalt, asking myself why the hell I let myself come here with him.

I should have known he would do this.

But the thing is, everything he just told me about my emotions, is exactly right.

He knows me better than anybody.

Even better than Braeden.

It’s the first time I’ve ever admitted that.  I think Justin has seen me in ways that Braeden never could.  Justin was able to penetrate my soul even deeper, only I could never see that, because Braeden’s absence warped me so much.  Maybe, maybe Braeden was never my soul mate.

Maybe he had to disappear, so I would be forced to meet Justin.  And maybe I had to be hardened by that disappearance, so I could be strong enough to show Justin how to love somebody with his whole heart.

Maybe...maybe Justin has always been the one I was supposed to be with.

If that’s true though, fate has a really fucked up way of bringing people together.

“Abbey!”

He’s close.  I whimper into my hands.  I just...I want him to leave me alone.  I’m so afraid that I’ll hurt him...

Or that I’ll let myself fall in love again, hurt Braeden, fuck him up forever.

I just don’t know what’s right anymore.

“Hey.”

He’s found me, and he’s crouching down now, seeming to understand why I’m here and why I ran out on him.  “Justin...”

“I’m sorry.”  He reaches out and caresses my cheek.  “I’m so sorry.”

He’s crying too.  I know he meant every word he said back there.  I let myself break down.  I’m hugging him next.  We’re crying into each other, knowing how much we love one another, and how bad it sucks that we let our beautiful relationship just...die.

But how the hell can we get it back now?

“Can you give me another chance, Abbey?”  

He’s pulled away from me enough now that he can look me in the face when he says it.  I’m still crying, but know I have to pull myself together, so I take in a long breath and wipe the tears off my face.  “I don’t know.”

“Do you...do you really love him that much?”

“I don’t know.”

It’s silent for another moment.

“Can I kiss you?”

I look into his eyes.  They’re pleading with me.  He's so, so in love with me, and all he wants to do is take me away from all of this.  If he even knew the half of what’s been going on, I’m convinced that he would put me in the trunk of the car and actually drive us all back to New York City.  

I don’t think.  I can’t.  My mind is too scrambled with thoughts of him.

I just lean in, and press my lips to his.

We make out like that, in the hot Texas sun, in the middle of the Filligan’s parking lot, and it takes me away.  It takes me back to him and the boys, and fuck...I miss our life.  I miss everything about it.  I miss our dinners, our walks in the park.  I miss raising the boys with him.  I miss sitting on the couch with the boys and arguing over something so ridiculous that I'd end up laughing hysterically about it with Justin later on.  I miss our intimate moments.  The way he could captivate me, and make love to me in a way I’d never experienced before.

I can’t stand to be away from him anymore.

But I have Braeden to think about.

“He wants me to move to California.” I say gently, as he helps me to my feet after a while, and opens the door for me.  “He’s getting reassigned.”

Justin nods, seeming to understand.  “You don’t want to go, do you?”

“No...but, I...”

“Ab, I’m...I’m not trying to force you to break up your marriage...”

“It’s barely a marriage anymore,” I admit, sitting down in the passenger seat of the car.  “There’s so much wrong, and...he just doesn’t see it.  He...he needs help, and he won’t get it.  Even if you and I...didn’t get back together, I doubt I could stay with him much longer.  He’s talking about having a baby.  I can’t have a baby with him.”

It seems to anger him, so much, and I can understand why.  “Pack a bag.”

“You know I can’t.”

He strokes his chin.  “Yeah, but it’s not fair.”

“You’re right.”

It’s all that gets said.  Then he’s back in the drivers seat, and he reaches out for my hand after he starts the engine. I hesitate for a moment before I take it, and he laces his fingers through mine.  It’s right.  Exactly right.  Hell, we could be on a city bus in the ghetto right now and this would still feel right.  

But I can’t tell him I love him.  If something goes wrong...and I can’t be with him, I’ll never forgive myself.

He drives me back to my place, silently.  There’s really nothing to say.  We talked, we kissed, he asked me for another chance.  Now the choice is really mine, but he knows I need some time, and he loves me enough that he’ll give me that time without complaining.  That’s so selfless, and anybody else wouldn’t believe me if I told them that Justin Timberlake could be this way.

I made him this way though, because I loved him enough to make the effort.

I’m thinking about it all when we pull into the neighborhood again.  I lazily look out the window and glance at my house.

And I freeze.

“What time is it?” I blurt out.

Justin gives me a strange look.  “Almost three.”

Our car is in the driveway.

Braeden is home early.

I put my head in my hands.  

“Ab.”

“Braeden wasn’t supposed to be home yet,” I explain.

He stops the car.  “Are you..are you gonna be okay?”

He’s worried.  Hell, I am too.  I have no idea if Braeden is looking out the blinds right now, if he knows what’s going on, or if he’s been drinking.

I’m scared.

But I’m not putting this on Justin.

“I’ll be fine,” I tell him.

“My cell is the same,” he tells me, giving my hand one final squeeze before lets it go.  “You still have the number, right?”

I have it memorized, because I’m lame.  ‘Yes.”

“Then call me.” He forces a smile.  “Or...don’t, and I’ll understand.”

He gets out of the car, and I do it too.  Then I’m out, and he’s hugging me, so hard.  I hug him back, not caring if Braeden sees.  I’m not going to keep anything from him anyway.  It’s just not worth it to keep secrets like he does.

“Babs.”

I pull away from Justin and look up at the porch.  Braeden is standing there, beer in his hand, his expression lost, and confused.  

“I’ll talk to you,” I promise Justin, before I walk away from him.  

I slowly make my way up the steps to my awaiting husband.  He’s glaring at me the entire time, and I begin to wonder how many beers he’s had.  “Hey.”

“What the fuck is going on?”

I can smell the alcohol on his breath.

It tells me he’s had too much.

“He took me to lunch,” I say softly.  “Come on, let’s go talk inside.”

“You think...you think I’m gonna buy that?”

He throws the beer bottle, and it smashes against the house.  I back away from him slowly, and lean against the porch railing.  “Bray...”

“You went out with him!”  He grabs my arm harshly and yanks me to him.  “What the FUCK are you thinking about, baby?”

I’m terrified.  “You’re hurting me...”

He throws me into the house, causing me to hit my head against it.  It’s pounding, but I can still stand on my own two feet.

He’s drunk.

“Just stop it! You’re drunk, Braeden!”

I try to make my way to the door.

But he grabs me back to him and slaps me across the face.  It causes me to stop struggling against him, and I clutch my face, shocked and sobbing.

“Get the hell away from her.”

Suddenly Braeden isn’t in front of me anymore.  He’s on the ground, covering his nose and mouth with his hands.  Then I feel another set of hands on my shoulders, gripping them gently, but I can’t even turn to see who it is.  I’m so busy freaking out and crying that I can’t.

“C’mon.”

Justin’s voice is in my ear.  

“I...I can’t.” I cry, still clutching my face.  “I can’t leave him.”

“C’mon, Abbey.”

“That’s right...just go!  Fuckin’ BITCH! JUST GO ON!”  Braeden yells as Justin begins to lead me away.  I can see the damage Justin inflicted.  His nose is bleeding pretty bad and one side of his mouth is swelling up like a balloon.

But I know I can’t be here with him right now.  I have to walk away.

So I do.

Justin puts me back in the car and peels out of the driveway, completely silent the whole time.

I dont’ know what’s going to happen.

All I know is that Justin is here, with me.

And he’s not going anywhere.

Fifty One by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:

OMG so we got hit really hard here with the storm, and we lost power.  I am currently sitting in a Wendy's, yes, that's right, a Wendy's, typing away so I could update lol.  Would anybody like a spicy chicken? Chili?

How about a chapter! 

Yes.  Here it is.  Enoy!

“Justin, when can we go sit with Abbey?”

“In a little while.”  I kiss Austin’s forehead.  “She’s still resting.  She bumped her head pretty good.”

“How did she fall?”

I sigh a little.  “Don’t worry about it, Aus.  The important thing is that she’s okay, right?”

“Yeah!” Davey chimes in, and snuggles up closer to my chest.  “Abbey is okay.”

He’s missed this...being close like this with me.  I know Austin has too, although he would never admit it.  

I’m not a hero, by any means.  In most cases, I’m a fucking pussy, I admit that.  It’s why my relationship with the woman of my dreams fell apart, and also why I never got to say goodbye to my parents before they passed.  I was too cowardly to admit I was wrong for leaving my family behind, and by the time I got the chance, my parents were gone.  I’ve made up for it with the boys, I know that, and I’m thankful.  And now, with Abbey, I’ve been given a second chance too.  I told her exactly what was on my mind.  Didn’t hold back.

I think she respected me more because of it.

But then everything just...just got so crazy.

I didn’t like the look on Braeden’s face from the first time we met.  Just seeing how he stood in front of me and acted so damn possessive of Abbey, told me he was a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.  He probably wasn’t always like that but...I’m sure the things he saw and the things he was put through made him this way.  It’s why I didn’t leave right away after I hugged Abbey goodbye.  I wanted to make sure she got into the house with him okay.  I didn’t like the look in his eyes or the fact that he had a beer in his hand as he waited for her to walk up the steps.

Thank God I stayed.

If I hadn’t, I don’t know what the hell would have happened to her.

I was out of my car and racing up the steps seconds after I saw him throw her against the exterior of the house, but I was too late to stop him from slapping her.  When I saw him do that, I just...lost it.  This fire lit up inside of me, and then I was punching him in the face until he fell to the ground.  I didn’t care about him, what he’d been through, or what he was still going through.  Abbey’s safety was more important.  I couldn’t believe he would put his hands on his wife like that...

And, even if she doesn’t come back to me, I’m going to make damn sure that she doesn’t go back to him.

I knew she hit her head pretty hard when Braeden threw her into that wall, so I didn’t even ask her if she wanted to go to the hospital, I just took her to the closest one.  I tracked it by the rental car’s GPS and we made it there within minutes.  Naturally, Abbey protested and told me she was fine, but I knew she was lying.  She was holding the side of her head, and her eyes kept closing as I drove along.  I knew everything wasn’t okay.

And I was right.

“What happened sir?” The nurse at the emergency check in desk asked when I approached her, Abbey leaning onto me for support.  

“Justin...” she whispered, pleading with me not to tell her the truth.

It baffled me that she wanted to protect Braeden after what he’d done to her.

“She took a fall down the porch steps, and hit her head,” I finally said.

The nurse eyed me suspiciously.  “Ma’am, is that what happened to you?”

Abbey seemed to get herself together in that moment, and looked the nurse in the eye.  “Yes,” she nodded.  

The nurse didn’t seem pleased with Abbey agreeing to the story, but knowing there was nothing else she could do, she admitted Abbey to the trauma ward.  They must have done a thousand tests on her before finally determining that she only had a light concussion, and filled out some prescriptions for her, before telling me that I would need to keep a close watch on her overnight. I was fine with that.  Anything I had to do for her...I would do it.

I took her back to the hotel, and moved the boys into my room so she could have the extra room to herself.  Naturally, my brothers were ecstatic to see Abbey again, but she was so tired from the pain killers she’d been given at the hospital, that I had to do everything I could to keep the boys from jumping on her.  She insisted on letting them sit with her for a little while, just until they calmed down, and I didn’t want to, but I gave in.  It was like...my family was there again.  We were all together again and that made me so happy that I couldn’t pull them apart.

But I knew all of it was going to end much too soon.

I got the boys to leave her alone around seven, and I sat with her after that, making sure she ate the light meal I ordered from room service.  She was slightly annoyed.  She didn’t want me hanging over her, but I wouldn’t listen.  I wasn’t about to let her get worse.

In truth, I was scared.

So scared that she might get worse.

“Who knew you could play nurse so well?” She laughed lightly as I came in to check on her a few hours later.  “Really, Justin.  I’ll be fine.”

I sat down beside her on the bed, and ran my fingers through her hair for a moment, smiling softly at her.  “It’s not just this...” I sighed.  “I...I was really scared today.”

She shrugged.  “I can handle it.”

“I don’t think you can, Ab.”

She stared at me.

“You can’t go back to him.”  I shook my head and leaned closer to her.  “I hope you realize that now.”

“It’s a lot more complicated than just not going back to him.  I...I don’t even know what he’s doing right now.  Do you know how scary that is for me?”

“It shouldn’t matter.”

“But it does matter, Justin,” she shot back at me.  “I care about him, and...I don’t know what he’s going to do.  I have to go back at some point.”

I hated it, but I knew she was right.  After all, he was her husband, not just some idiot off the street she’d dated a few times.  The thing was, I knew that when the time came, she would want to go talk to him alone.  I couldn’t deal with that.  “It’s not safe though.”

“He was drunk,” she defended.  “He didn’t know what he was doing.”

I cocked my head to the side.  “So this has happened before?”

“No...not like this.  He...he has problems at night, sleeping, and...sometimes he’ll black out and have these flashbacks...” she paused and pressed her lips together for a moment.  “Once he beat up this guy...it was pretty bad.  That’s when I knew he was getting worse.  I never expected this though.  He never raised a hand to me before today.”

“And if you stay with him, he’ll do it again, Ab.”

She sighed and leaned back into her pillows.  “He’ll be more careful.”

I shook my head roughly.  “Why are you defending him?  Why?”

She wouldn’t look at me, and then I saw the tears start to spill out of her eyes all over again.  “When you’ve known somebody as long as I’ve known Braeden...I guess defending them is like second nature.”

I understood.  I hated it...but I did.  Braeden had been gone for such a long time, without much of an explanation, and then suddenly...he was back in her life.  I didn’t know what had gone on all the months they were together, how many good moments they shared that outweighed the bad ones.  But Abbey wasn’t going to talk to me about any of that.  I wasn’t a part of their relationship, and I had to accept that.  “What can I do?”

She smiled just a little bit.  “Be the same guy I was in love with before.”

I sat back a little bit.  Out of all the things she could have asked me for, the only thing she wanted was for me to be a better person.  I knew why I loved her then, and all I could think was how shitty it was that I still couldn’t get her back.  “He doesn’t deserve you.”

She shrugged her shoulders and yawned a little.  “Maybe not.”

It was all she said before her eyes closed, and I knew she was falling asleep on me.  I leaned down then, and kissed her forehead, listening to her breathing for awhile until I knew she was out cold.  “I love you.” My voice trembled, and it took all of my strength not to start sobbing right there beside her.  

Abbey’s phone is ringing again.  It’s been ringing for the past couple of hours, and I’m thankful that I ended up with it instead of her.  It’s Braeden.  It’s been Braeden every time, and I’ve been patient so far, telling myself that he’ll give up.

But he’s not giving up.

I let it go to voicemail again, before I turn the TV on for the boys.  “You guys watch TV for a while.  I’m gonna go get some breakfast, okay?”

“I wanna come,” Davey pouts.

“We’ll go out for lunch,” I promise him with a little smile, as I grab my phone and Abbey’s and shove them in my pocket.  “You can come then.”

“Okay,” he sighs.

“Watch your brother,” I tell Austin.

He just rolls his eyes and nods.  

“And don’t bother Abbey,” I warn him.

“Fi-ine.”

I go out into the hallway, and take a quick peek in on Abbey before I head for the elevators.  She’s still sleeping, but seems to be okay, so I decide not to wake her until I get back.  I’m pressing the down button on the elevator, and shifting my weight from my right foot to my left impatiently, when the ringing starts again.

...and I could not ask for more...

Jesus.

I yank the thing out of my pocket, disgusted.  I mean, can’t he get the hint? Doesn’t he know what he did to his wife yesterday? Wouldn’t that explain why she wouldn’t want to talk to him? That’s it.  I’ve fucking had it.  “Yeah?” I answer harshly.

It’s silent for several moments.  I can hear the bastard clearing his throat, and whimpering a little bit.

“Is...can I speak to her?”

He knows exactly who is on the other end of the line right now, but surprisingly enough, he’s not screaming, or hollering at me.  This version of Braeden is weak.  He knows what he did and he’s out of his mind with fear and worry.  I want to hang up, so bad.

But then I remember what Abbey said.

Be the guy I fell in love with

The guy she fell in love with, would have some compassion for Braeden right now.

“She’s asleep.  I’ll tell her you called.  You can stop blowing up her cell now.”

“Wait!” He says desperately, before I can hang up.  “Just...is...is she okay?  Please, I just need to know that.”

He loves her.

He loves her more than anything in the world.

It’s just so fucking ridiculous the way he’s treated her so far.

“I took her to the ER.  She’ll be okay, but she has a minor concussion, and a nice big bruise on her face from you.”

“Jesus...shit...”

He’s sobbing.  He has nobody.  I realize it now.  He’s home, alone, with nobody to talk to about this.  Nobody that would understand anyway.  I realize that Abbey is his life.  The only one who can see who he really is through his anger and his moods.

Why do I feel bad for him?

Have I lost my mind?

“Can you bring her by?” He asks me after a few moments.

The elevator doors ding open.  I know if I step inside, I’ll lose service.

I want to cut him off.

But I just...can’t do it.

“Not right now,” I tell him, letting the doors close in my face again.  “She needs some time away from you, man.”

“Yeah...yeah I get it.”

“Are...”  I close my eyes.  Why me? “Are you okay over there?”

“Stupid question.”

“Yeah.”

Shit, this is weird.

I make an executive decision then.  “Can you drive?”

“I’m not drunk if that’s what you mean,” he mutters.

“Then meet me at that place, Filligans.”

“You?” He’s laughing this time.  “Why would I?”

“Who the hell else gives a fuck what happens to you right now?”

“Abbey does.”

“I’m not talking about Abbey.  If I had things my way, I would have sent her back to New York with my brothers.  You cant see her today.  You can’t.  Not after what you did.”

“Yeah, but you don’t have control over her like that.  If I want to see her, I’ll see her.”r32;

“You really think I’d let you near her with that attitude? Near my brothers?  You don’t even know where we’re at, asshole.”

He’s silent.  

“Are you gonna meet me or what?  I’ll give you five seconds to make up your mind.”

It takes him a little longer than that, but I allow it.  “I can’t leave the base.”

“Why?”

“I...I’m on a perimeter restriction until January 1st.”

It must be because he beat up that guy.  “Well, then where can we meet?”

“There’s a little tavern,” he sighs.  “It’s right off the base, but they still let me go there.  It’s call Alvin’s.”

I glance at my watch.  “It’s like ten thirty.”

He laughs.  “Can’t handle your liquor before noon, Timberlake?”

“I’ll be there,” I mutter.

“Fine.  Whatever.”

He hangs up.

What the hell am I doing?

Seriously?

I’m in the car before I can stop myself, the whole way there knowing how pissed Abbey would be at me for doing this.  She’d tell me it wasn’t my place, that Braeden was her problem.

But somebody needs to set this guy straight and I can’t have her risking her safety anymore.

I can’t stop Abbey from staying with him if that’s what she really wants, and that...that scares me.

It scares me to think about what he could possibly do to her one day.

I pull into the parking lot twenty minutes later. It’s tiny, and the tavern looks even tinier.  I spot the Honda SUV I saw in Abbey’s driveway, immediately, and turn the car off.  Then I sit for a moment, trying to collect my thoughts, asking myself what the fuck I think I’m going to accomplish by doing this.  It very well could be nothing.

But I have to try and talk some sense into him if can.

I enter the place, and I immediately understand why Braeden laughed at me for my comment about it still being the morning.  There are soldiers everywhere, drinking beer, laughing and playing pool.  Time means nothing to them.  When they’re off duty, they’re off duty.  It’s a different sort of life.

It’s not the type of life Abbey should be living, either.

I spot Braeden at the bar, nursing a beer, and watching the flat screen TV in front of him.  The bartender is making small talk with him, and he’s smiling slightly and chuckling, but I can tell he’s forcing his mood.  In reality, he’s uneasy, upset, and nervous about what’s going on.

I sit down next to him.

“A newcomer,” the bartender smirks and slides me a coaster.  “You just move to town?”

“Just visiting.”

I glance at Braeden.

He’s staring at me.

“What’ll you have?”

“Coors Lite on draft?”

He nods.

“You got here fast.”  Braeden says, once the bartender walks off.  “Didn’t think you’d have the balls to show.”

I stare at him as he guzzles the rest of his beer, and calls for another.  

“I’m usually a man of my word.” I smirk a little and shake my head as I stare ahead at the TV.  My beer arrives and I take a long swig.  

Weird, it feels nice to drink at this hour.  It must be because I’m so damn stressed out.  

“So what’s it gonna take for you to convince Bab...Abbey, to come see me?” He asks me after a while.  

I just shrug, but don’t look at him, only at the TV.  “It’s not up to me.  She can come back to you on her own.  All I said was that I wasn’t bringing her to you.”

I hear him knocking his fists against the top of the bar.  “I didn’t mean to do this.”

“But you did it.”  I knock back my beer again and glance at him angrily.  “That’s the point.”

“I just need you to explain...” He sighs roughly and I watch him rub his hands harshly over his face.  “I need you to tell her that I’m sorry.”

“No.”  I shake my head.  “Not a chance.”  

“Then why the hell did you come!” He yells at me.  

Nobody seems to care.  It’s like, somebody hollering in here at any hour, is a regular occurrence.

“Because I knew Abbey would never forgive herself if something happened to you. I’m here for her, not for you.”

“Right.”  He laughs sadly.  “So what, are you just here to get a feel for me, so you can go back and tell Abbey how fucked up I am? You gonna try to get her to leave me?”

“Look, I’m not trying to break up a marriage.  But I love her.  I do.  And I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure what happened to her yesterday, never happens again.”

“You couldn’t possibly love her as much as I do.”  He states, and guzzles more of his beer.  “You don’t know her.  You couldn’t.”

“I know her,” I laugh.

“Oh yeah? What’s her favorite movie?”

“Little Monsters.”

He’s quiet.  “That was easy anyway.”

“Are you really going to sit here and ask me to list her likes and dislikes?  You sound like
Austin.”

He folds his hands and presses part of his face against them as he props his elbows up on the bar.  “I thought she was...she was going to be like the woman I left behind.”

Finally, something I can go with.  “How could she be?  You were gone for years.  She...she moved on.  You have to understand that.”

He shakes his head slightly.  “I never moved on.”

I press my lips together and look down at the bar.  “Nobody can call you crazy for not doing that, but...you’re not ready to be with her.  Maybe...you’ll never be.  Can’t you just open your eyes a little bit and try to understand that?”

“Why, so she can be with you?”

“This isn’t about me!”

He stares at me, his eyes wide.  He didn’t expect it from me.

“This is about Abbey being happy,” I explain, trying to sound a little calmer.  “She’s not happy right now.  I...I may love her, but if she can’t be with me, that’s something I’ll have to live with, because I fucked up everything we had.”

“She’s happy with me.”

I know he’s lying.  He knows the truth, but it kills him to accept it.

I narrow my eyes at him.  “C’mon.”

“I try.”  He’s whimpering now.  “I try so hard but...sometimes...I can’t deal with some of the things that happened to me.  I can’t tell her.  I can’t because...because it’s too fucking hard...and I don’t want to scare her.”

It’s uncanny that he’s venting to me like this.  I mean, me, his wife’s ex boyfriend.  Somebody he was ready to punch the other day.  Now he’s sitting here spilling his guts to me like I’ve known him for years.  Am I really that easy to talk to? No way.  I could call Goldman right now and get about fifteen people to agree with that.  “Then why do you stay with her?”

“I love her.”

“Do you?”  I sit up a little and stare at him hard, willing him to look over at me.

Then he does, even though his face is red and the tears are pouring down his face.  

“I mean, do you really? Because if you did, you wouldn’t let her live like she is now. I took her to lunch at that Filligan’s place the other day.  She told me she’d never been there before.  That dump is ten miles away, Braeden.  What do you do? Keep her locked up?”

He closes his eyes and sniffles.  “No...”

“It sounds like you do.”

“It’s dangerous...out in the world.”

The guy is beyond fucked up.  I know it now, and I can’t blame him.  I’m sure he went through some pretty horrific shit, but why should Abbey have to suffer too?  It’s not her fault.

“It’s not her fault that you’re afraid of the world.  She shouldn’t have to be shut in because of it.  Then, then my brother runs away and comes here.  Of course I have to come get him and...and then I take her to lunch and what do you do? You freak the hell out on her!”

“I know what I did!” He yells back at me.  “I know...I’m a fucking loser that makes pennies working for the military, and you’re just perfect with your fucking money and big time career!”

He angrily pushes himself up from the chair, and knocks it over before storming away from me.

“See you later Bray!” The bartender says happily, and then looks at me again.  “You want to keep going there?”

This is a fucked up place.

I should just leave, go back to Abbey and tell her exactly what I think of her husband.

But I still can’t.

I throw a few bills down, and follow him outside instead.  

“I was going places,” he continues when I find him leaning against his car.  “I was supposed to go to school and get a good job after I got out of the Army.  I was the one who was supposed to...take care of her.”  He shakes his head roughly.  “Then I...I go off to fight for this country and...some insurgent kidnaps me and sells me into a slave ring.  They locked us in cages...they barely fed us.  I couldn’t get home,” he whimpers.  “I fought...I fought so hard, but I just couldn’t.  Then I finally get a break. I get to come home after seven years and oh low and behold, you’ve taken my place!”  He slaps his hands down at his sides.  “I was too fucking late.”

“She married you.”

“She married me because you weren’t around.  I knew it.  I just...I didn’t want to accept it.  The truth is, Justin, she’s never going to be my Abbey again.  She loves you.  It took me doing...this...hitting her...to wake me the hell up.”

“I don’t know about all that.”

“It’s true,” he pushes.  “Don’t you think I would know?  The minute she saw you, I knew...I knew that she wanted you back.  It fucking..it just got me so angry and then she went out with you behind my back.  I fucking lost it.  I’ll...I’ll never forgive myself.  Fuck I even...” he trails off and laughs to himself.  “I even tried to get reassigned after Austin came.  I wanted us to disappear so you and those kids would never find us.  But I can’t do that.  I just can’t do that to her.”

“Look...”r32;

“You need to be with her,” he says, seeming to decide it right here and now.  “She belongs with you and those kids.  Not with me.  Not anymore.  I know you’ll do right by her, Justin.  I know you care that much.”

Is this really happening? Is Braeden...giving me his blessing? It’s so fucking unbelievable, but the longer I stand here and stare at him, the more I can tell how serious he is.  He loves her more than he loves himself, enough that he knows what’s best for her.  He’s looking out for her safety too.  I think deep down, he knows exactly what will happen if she stays with him.  

“Can you just please...”  He squeezes his eyes shut and sobs loudly.  “Can you please just give me the chance to tell her all of this myself?  I’m not drunk...I’m not going to put my hands on her.  I just need a chance, Justin.  Hasn’t anybody given you a break before?”

They have.  Too many times in my life.  I think this must be my chance to repay...fate, for giving me all that I have.  Not my money or my career, but the boys and Abbey.

I can make this right.

I feel the tears stinging my eyes.  I know how bad he’s hurting.  He knows he’s lost her, regardless if she wants to leave him or not.  I know...he’s going to tell her he can’t be with her.  I should be happy.

But I don’t know how Abbey is going to feel.

She may be scared, she may be unhappy with her marriage to him, but I know she a part of her will always love Braeden.

Well, the Braeden she used to know, and is desperate to keep close to her.

I know I have to do this.

I have to bring him to her, before he does something terrible to himself.

“C’mon.” I say quietly, and unlock my car.  “Get in.”

Fifty Two by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
At Panera this morning, cranking out another update.  There aren't too many chapters left, and I just want to thank everybody again for sticking with this.  I've loved writing it as much as you all have enjoyed reading it.  Enjoy the chapter.

I slept til noon, and when I woke up my head didn’t hurt as much as it did the day before.  I was thankful.  Thankful not only for the pain relief, but also for Justin.  I guess I was more thankful for Justin than anything else.  He just stepped in, and took charge, despite our differences, despite how confused we both were about the status of our relationship.


I got out of bed after that, and I guess the boys must have been able to sense me moving around, because they were pounding on the door that joined our rooms together almost right away, calling out my name.  I just laughed, and when I opened it for them, Davey threw his arms around my waist and Austin gripped me by the arm, telling me that Justin went to get food, and begged me to watch TV with them.

Of course I couldn’t say no.

I sat in my bed with them after that, one of them on either side of me.  They were perfectly content, cuddled up against me watching their cartoons as I stroked their foreheads and hair.  They didn’t banter or argue.  They didn’t say much of anything really.  It was like any other Saturday morning we would spend together.

It only reminded me of how badly I missed having them around.

My mind kept drifting back to Braeden while we watched the TV.  I couldn’t stop thinking of what he did, the look in his eyes and on his face when he did it.  I had never been so scared of him in my life, and a big part of me wished I could simply hide in that bed with my boys for the rest of my life.

But I knew I had to go back to him.

There was no choice, because I was his wife...and furthermore...because it was Braeden, and Braeden had nobody else to turn to.  Our family wouldn’t accept what he did, they wouldn’t understand why it happened, they couldn’t listen to him.  Only I could do those things.

I knew we would have to talk, alone...

I just didn’t know how I was going to get up the guts to do it.  I didn’t want to be terrified of him when we talked, because the situation wouldn’t be resolved that way.  I prayed I could get myself together when the time came.

And the solution to the situation was one I wasn’t sure if I was ready for.

Was I ready to work through it with him? Try to get him to go to marriage counseling with me or something? Hope like hell that he didn’t suddenly snap and lose his temper on me again? Or...was I ready to walk out on him? Break his heart, and our family’s? Get a divorce when we hadn’t even been married a year?

Either way, I knew the outcome was going to be a disaster.

I guess the biggest question was, could I still love Braeden now that he’d hit me?

I just didn’t know.

Mostly because I was afraid, but also because Justin had snuck his way back into my life, told me he loved me...kissed me...

And forced me to see that I still loved him too.

“Hey.”  I hear Justin say it through the door, and then it’s pushed open.  The boys run to him when they see the bags of food in his hand and the tray of soda’s propped up on his forearm.  “You gonna take that?” He asks them, as they scramble to help.  “Go in my room okay?”

“Ugh, why?” Austin pouts as he clutches the soda tray in both hands.

“Yeah, it’s okay,” I smile at him.  “They can stay.”

He lets out a long breath.  “I...I need to talk to you.”

“Oh...”  I suck in my bottom lip, knowing whatever he has to tell me is important, but not knowing what to expect at the same time.  “Boys, do what Justin says, okay?”

“But Abbey!” Davey whines.

“Please.”

“C’mon.”  Austin leads his brother back through the adjoining door.  “You’re such an Abbey hog!” He yells back to Justin before they disappear from our view.

We look at each other and laugh for a moment or two, before the more serious issues seem to take over again.

“How’s your head?”

“Better.  You were gone for a while,” I smirk a little as he comes over and sits beside me on the bed.  “You get lost?”

“Not exactly.”  He reaches out and smoothes his hand over the part of my face that I know is bruised.  “I...went to visit somebody.”

I feel myself go tense.  “Who?”

“Braeden.”

My eyes go wide.  “Justin, what did you do?”

“No, it’s not like that.  We didn’t fight...well, physically.”

I don’t laugh along with him.  “What...I mean, why would you do that?”

“I think he needed to talk to somebody, and I wasn’t going to let it be you.”

I shake my head and close my eyes for a few moments, trying to process what he’s just told me.  In a way, I’m sure he must have felt just like this when I told him I went and visited Trace in jail.  Only, there was a point to that.  A very serious one.  Justin going to visit my husband? The only thing that makes sense is that Justin wanted to kick the crap out of him.  But now he’s telling me that they talked?

I mean, Braeden actually talked to somebody other than one of his military pals?

It’s a damn miracle.

“What happened?” I finally ask him.  “I mean...Justin...”

“He’s got a lot of problems.  He just, doesn’t have a lot of people in his life that understand them.”

“I already knew that.”r32;
“Look, we just talked.  I think, given the circumstances, things went well.”

There’s something he’s not telling me.  “But?”

He shrugs slightly.  “He wanted to talk to you.”

“So give me my phone.” I hold my hand out.  “I couldn’t find it so I figured you must have taken it because you didn’t want me calling him.  Thanks a lot.”

“He’s downstairs,” Justin admits with a sigh as he hands my phone back to me.  “I brought him here.”

I give him a skeptical look.  “You didn’t.”

“I did,” he nods.  “He’s...he’s calmed down.  I made sure of it, and there’s plenty of staff in the lobby.  You guys need to talk this out, and I figured it was safer for you to do it here.”

Justin did this for me.  I can’t get past it.  He put all those angry feelings he had about Braeden and the situation aside, just so we could talk.  I mean, I know I said I wanted him to be more like the guy I fell in love with.

But this?

This is so beyond anything I would have expected him to do.

“Why’d you do this?” I ask him quietly.  “I could leave with him, you know?”

“I know that, but it’s...it’s not about me Abbey.  It’s about you being happy.  You have to decide what’s best for you.  I just...I love you, and I’m trying to do the right thing.  I can’t hide you from him, and Braeden knows that he can’t hide you from me either.  So just, go, Ab.  Go talk to him, and whatever happens, happens.”

I stare at him for a while more,  there’s a calmness in his expression.  One that tells me he knows everything is going to work out...that everything is going to be fine, and that I’ll be happy again.   

But how could he know that?

“I’m going to eat,” he tells me, placing a hand on the adjoining door that leads back to the boys.  “I...I guess I’ll talk to you in a bit.”

“Yeah...I...I guess.”

“If you need me, call me right away.”  He smiles only slightly, before he disappears from my view again.

Shit, what the hell?

What the hell do I do?

Do I love the man that’s waiting for me downstairs? Yes, but not the monster that lives inside of him.  So, should I stay here and just...hide from him then?

I guess that’s up to me.

Justin brought him here, because he knew it was the decent thing to do.  

Whether or not I go down and talk to him, is up to me completely.

But if I don’t do this, I know I’ll never forgive myself.

I’m in the elevator twenty minutes later.  I tried fooling with some cover up to hide the bruise Braeden gave me, but it didn’t do anything but make me look like I had way too much make up on, so I washed it off.  The bruise is pretty bad, worse than yesterday.  That side of my face is puffed up, black and blue and purple, starting from right under my left eye to just above my chin.  

I’m going to have to face him this way.   It’ll kill him for sure.

There’s no doubt in my mind that he barely remembers a thing about yesterday.

The elevator doors ding open, and I walk out into the lobby.  It’s actually a really nice hotel for this type of town.  Nothing luxurious, but it’s very quaint with the little white benches and beautiful plants, flowers, and fountains everywhere.  I’m so busy gawking at the surroundings, that I don’t even see Braeden until he calls out my name.

“Abbey.”

I glance back over my shoulder.  He’s sitting on a little white bench next to the fountain in the back of the lobby.  It’s weird to hear him call me by my real name.  He never does it, unless he’s serious, upset, or angry.

In this case, I guess he’s all three.

“Hey.”  I stand right where I’m at, don’t make an attempt to get closer to him, because...I’m not sure if I can trust him yet.  The bench is about fifteen feet away.

Safe enough for me.  

He slowly stands up and rubs his hands together, looking down at the floor for a moment before looking back up at me.  Even from this distance I can tell how much of a wreck he is.  His eyes are red, bloodshot, and sunken in from crying for hours and not sleeping, and his face is full of stubble.  I can see the damage Justin inflicted too.  The left side of his mouth is black and blue, and his nose is the same way.  It makes me feel a little bad at first...

But then I remember why he has those injuries, and I know he probably deserved to get them.

“Is it okay if we have a talk?” He finally asks.

It takes me a moment to answer him.  I know I should, even though I’m terrified.  It’s the only way to resolve the issue.

I still can’t believe Justin did this.

“Please, baby.”

I nod.

We find a bench that is a little bit away from the lobby.  I know Justin wouldn’t like it, but I don’t want to have this discussion around other people, and...I know Braeden.  Everything else aside, I know when he is and when he’s not in his right mind.  Right now he’s mellow.  Probably even more than he usually is because of his conversation with Justin.  I know I’m safe for now.

“God...”  He cringes when he sees my face up close, and reaches out to touch it.

I shrink back.  “It’s...it’ll be fine, Braeden.”

He pulls his hand away slowly, and presses his lips together.  “I’m so fucking sorry, Babs.”

I just nod a little.

“I didn’t know,” he cries.  “I didn’t know what I was doing until it was too late.”

“You need help, Bray.” I’m able to say it after several moments.  “You have to realize that.  I can’t...I can’t do this anymore.  I can’t sit up with you night after night when you have terrors, because it’s not helping you get better.  I don’t know what to do anymore.  I just know that I’m not the solution.”

“It’s not your responsibility,” he whispers.  “It never should have been, and...I know that I’ve pushed you to do too many things that you probably didn’t want to, including getting married.”

My eyes widen and I stare at him for a long time.  “You don’t think I wanted to get married?”

He sighs.  “No.”

I laugh because the idea seems so crazy to me.  I mean, he asked me, I said yes.  I bought a dress, wore his family’s wedding bands, walked down that aisle and said I do.  Why would I have done that if my whole heart wasn’t in it?  We were happier then, and looking forward to the future.  I had no reason not to do it...

Because I was convinced Justin didn’t love me anymore.

“Can I ask you something?” He says, before I can protest.

“I...” I pause because I’ve started to cry.  “Yeah.”

“If...if things had gone differently when you went back to New York.  If Justin had asked you to stay, would you have come back to me?”

It takes me such a long time to answer, because I want to be honest with him.  Being honest though, can sometimes be so painful.  I know what the answer is, and I know I have to tell him, but I really don’t want to.  “No.  I...I wouldn’t have.”

I’ve never admitted that before.

He nods gently.  

“Braeden...”

“It’s not your fault, and I didn’t expect any other answer from you.  I should have known from that night that you stopped me from coming on to you in DC, that things had changed.  I just...I was home, you know?  I survived.  It had been so long and I couldn’t accept that your life might have changed over the years.  I wish I...I wish I hadn’t made it back sometimes, you know? You were happier when I was dead to you.”

“Don’t say that.  Please don’t say that.”

He scoffs, sadly.  “I’m not saying it’s your fault.  I’m just saying that it’s true.  I came home and that was so hard for you.  I know it was, because I know how much you love Justin and those kids.  I know you never stopped loving them, even when you came back to me.”

He’s right.  He’s so right and it’s killing me.  I feel like the most selfish person on the face of the planet.  

I’m better off just walking away from all of this, going into hibernation so I can’t hurt anybody else.  

“Remember when I made you promise to find a rich man to marry if I disappeared?”

“Braeden...please...”

“If I had to pick somebody...,” he continues.  “I wouldn’t want it to be anybody else but him.  He loves you, Babs.  He might love you more than I ever did, or ever could.  No man in their right mind would ever do what he’s done for us, and you know that.  He could have convinced you to fly away with him yesterday if he really wanted to, and I know...I know that you eventually would have given in.  But he didn’t want you and I to end things that way.  He wanted us to have closure and...I’ll always be grateful for that.  I’ll always respect him.”

He’s right.  Yet again.  But I mean, what is he talking about?  He’s talking like we’re not going to be together anymore.  “Closure,” I rasp.  “Bray...”

He reaches out and touches my hands, and I’m scared, but I let him hold them in his finally.  “We...”  He pauses and closes his eyes, his lips trembling, his body quivering.  “We can’t do this anymore.  We’re not...we’re not supposed to be together anymore.”

I shake my head.  “There’s ways to get help.  They have counseling and other people that can...”r32;
“You know that it wouldn’t work in the end,” he cuts me off softly, and smiles sadly.  “C’mon Babs.  Why...why should we do all that, and end up fucking our relationship up more?”

I look down and sob.  He’s right.  We’re not the kind of couple that’s cut out for therapy.  We’ve known each other too long, and been through too much.  We don’t need a therapist to tell us what we need to work on or that our relationship won’t last.  We both know it’s over, and it’s been over for quite a while.  Our lives are so much different than they were seven years ago.  Braeden has a military mindset now.  He’ll never get out of it, and I...I’m not cut out for this kind of life.  I don’t understand it, I don’t fit in...

And most of all, I know I’m in love with somebody else.

“You must hate me.”
r32;“No.”  He puts his fingers under my chin and pushes my head up gently, so I have to look at him.  “I could never hate you for this.  I’ll always love you, Abbey.  You’ll always be special to me.”

“Can’t we try?” I whisper.

“No,” he says, sucking in a long breath.  “We can’t.  There’s too much at risk.  You know that.”

I hate that there are no options.  I break down, hug him and cry into his chest, and he lets me.  He holds me in his strong arms and I feel him kiss the top of my head as I let my emotions pour out right there on our little bench.  I know this is it.  After today, he won’t be there for me, and I won’t be there for him. We’ll be left to fend for ourselves.  Sure, we’ll catch up every now and then I’m sure...

But it will never be the same.

He thinks I’ll be with Justin after today too.

But...

But I just don’t think I want to be with anybody for a while after this.

“I’ll miss you,” I sob out after a while, managing to look up at him.

“Man, Ab.”  He runs his hands through my hair once more, before flashing me that genuine, wonderful smile of his.  “I’ve missed you for so long now, that I forgot what it’s like not to.”

I press my lips together as I begin to fumble with the rings on my left hand.  I pull on them gently at first, and when they won’t come, I tug more harshly at them.  Then they’re off.  I clutch the wedding bands in my hand for a few moments, before dropping them into his open, awaiting hand.  

He looks at them sitting in his palm, before smirking slightly and shoving them in his pocket.

“I hope that someday...somebody else that deserves them gets to wear them.”

“Yeah,” he nods.  “I hope so too.”

We both get up from the bench and hug for a long, long time, before we can find the courage to finish our conversation.

“Maybe I’ll see you in a couple of days?” I finally say, once we break apart.  “You know, so...I can start packing up.”

“Yeah.”  He shoves his hands in his pockets.  “That’ll be good.”

“Okay.”

He leans in and gives me a small kiss on the cheek.  “Until then, Babs.  I’ll get a taxi.  Don’t bother Justin.”

I just nod and look away from him.

“Abbey.”

“Yeah.”r32;
“Thank him for me, okay?”

“O-okay, Bray.”

Then, he’s gone.

I sit back on the bench again.

I’m alone in the world.

Of course Justin is a few floors up with my boys but...it’s not like it seems.  I can’t just rush up there, throw myself into his arms and say ‘okay, let’s start over’.  I just can’t.  I’m so...numb right now.  Braeden is gone and the harsh reality of why our marriage has to end is going to hit me all too hard in the coming days.  I’m going to have to explain things to my family...to Barbara and Sammy.  I’ll be a wreck. I can’t burden Justin with that, and I don’t want to be with him simply because Braeden is out of the picture.

The last thing I want to do is be with him for the wrong reasons, and hurt him again.

Maybe I should be on my own for a while, see what’s in store for me that I’ve been missing out on.  I’m pretty sure I’ll go back to New York.  No matter what, I want to be around for the boys, and I know Justin and I have reached a point in our relationship that we can share them even if we aren’t together.  

It’ll be good, I think, making my way up in the world after so many years of wallowing in my misery.

“Hey.”

I turn.

“Hey.”

Justin walks forward, a soft smile on his face for me.  “Did you guys talk?”

“We did.  He...he said he can get home on his own, and wanted me to thank you.”

He nods a little.  “So...”

“We’re breaking it off.  I don’t know the details yet.  I guess we’ll figure that out in a few days, but...thank you, for everything, you know?”

“Are you sure this is what you want?”

He’s genuinely concerned.  It’s not about him, or us, or the boys.  He just wants to make sure I’m going to be okay, and I love him for that, even if we can’t be together right now.  “It is.  I...I think he’s going to be okay.  He know he needs help and that’s the biggest step for him...admitting that he has issues he can’t handle by himself.”

“What about you?”

I glance down at my feet for a moment, before looking at him again.  “What about me?”

“What do you want?”

I shrug.  “I don’t really know yet.  I’d like to move back to the city, maybe get a job, and...I hope, arrange something with you so we can both spend time with the boys.”

He smiles.  “Sounds good.”

We’re both quiet for a moment.  I know all of that will fall into place just fine.  The boys will be happy.

But then there’s the question of us.

I know I love this man that stands before me.  I love how strong he is, how he’s learned to pull himself together, love people, care about the boys.  I love the person he’s becoming, and I know I helped him to get here.  He’s a great friend.

My best friend.

“I don’t know what I want,” I admit.  “I love you Justin.  I just...I don’t know if I can jump back into things like none of this happened.”

“I wouldn’t ask you to.”

He says it, but I know inside he’s saying a lot more.  I know he loves me, he wants to be with me, wants to touch me, kiss me, take me to all the places that I love.  He’s backing off though, because he loves me that much.

“I know you need time, Ab,” he says, softly.  “I have to live with that.  But I’m willing to have patience and see how things go.  I can help you move...get situated, whatever you need.  I’m here for you, always.”

He reaches out and touches my face.  I let him, smiling at him a little bit as he does so.  He leans forward then, and gives me a soft kiss on the lips.

“Justin...”  I pull back from him, and give him an annoyed look.

“I’m testing the waters,” he smirks, his eyes gleaming with mischief.  

“I’ll test your waters, Timberlake.”

He laughs, and leads me back to the elevators with him.

It’s not much, but it’s the start of a new life for us, and for the boys too.  We may not be together right now...

But we’re working on it.

Fifty Three by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Another! Told you it wouldn't be long lol.

Four months later

I think the hardest part about getting divorced is the “packing up and telling the family” process that Braeden and I were forced to put ourselves through.  No sooner did he make the phone call to his mother about what was going on, than she was there at the house.  I mean, she was there the same fucking night.  So much for that whole ‘I love you Abbey’ attitude.

The woman hates me, to this day.

But I just don’t care.  She doesn’t get it, she doesn’t even get Braeden, and I knew that he wasn’t going to let her cart him back to Colorado like she wanted to.  He made it clear to her that second day in.  He told her he was staying in Texas, that he’d talked to his CO’s about getting himself some help, and he wanted to be left alone to deal with it.

“This is all your fault.”  Barbara snapped at me as I was sealing up a box of my things.  “I trusted you, Abbey.  You were supposed to love him.  That’s why I gave you my blessing and then you turn around and do this!”

“Whatever you say, Barb.  It’s all my fault, like always.”  I threw my hands up and walked out of the room after that.  I was just...over it.  Braeden and I had completely compromised.  We didn’t fight.  He was helping me pack, and...at times, we would talk a little bit about the past, about our friends and family.  Despite everything that had gone on, we were still friends.

We would always be.

Barabara didn’t get it.  She didn’t understand that the divorce was the best thing for us, and it made me sad.  It made me sad that she would never be able to understand her son again.  I knew Sammy probably understood.  I hadn’t spoken to him, but I knew since he wasn’t there, he knew it was best to let the two of us sort everything out ourselves.  Barbara was just too much.  She was more fucked up than I realized.

Shit, she needed to get help too.

But it was a laughable idea that anybody could persuade her to do it.  It’s unfortunate.  

She’ll be miserable the rest of her life.

But that’s not my problem, and it shouldn’t be Bray’s either.

My parents seemed to take the news slightly better than Barbara did, but that wasn’t saying much.  My mom just sort of cried on the phone for a while, before my dad came on the line and asked me what the problem was.  I didn’t want to tell him about the fight, that Bray had hit me, so I just told him it was a lot of things...that Braeden needed more help than I could give him.  I think he could sense what Braeden was going through just by the tone of my voice.  He asked to talk to Bray after that.  Their conversation was long.  At one point, Braeden had to take it in the other room.  He never told me what they talked about that day, all I know is that after he got off...he seemed to be a little bit more at peace with himself.

I think he might have told my father what really happened, and I think my father might just have forgiven him for his mistakes.  

I called Charlene a couple of days later, figuring she would want to come out, maybe spend some time with us, and fly back to the city with me when the time came.

But...she was anything but supportive.  It shocked me, so much.  We’d made up, we were close again, and then it was like...I was the bad person.  I was ‘doing it to Braeden.’  She was just like Barbara, not wanting to accept the truth that we weren’t in a healthy relationship.

“How can you leave him?” She asked me.  “After all of this? He came home...he...he went through hell,” he cried.  “You married him! You gave him the rest of your life, and you’re supposed to understand that he’s going through hell, Abbey!  You don’t give a fuck do you? About anyone but yourself!”

“You don’t understand.”

“I understand that you’re a fucking quitter.  You’ve changed Abbey.  Everybody knows that, except you.”

I hung up on her.

We haven’t talked since.  I tried to call her when I got back to Manhattan, but her number was disconnected.

It told me she was done with me.

Justin was kind enough to let me send all my belongings to his place before I flew back to the city, and a week and a half later, I realized that everything I wanted to take was out of the house.  Barbara hadn’t been around that morning I left.  She went to the store to ‘get Braeden things he needed because I wasn’t going to be around’.  Needless to say, we were more than thankful for her absence...because that morning, was going to be the hardest one.  

“When’s your flight?”

“Two.”

It was silent for a long time.  He turned the TV on and I stared at it mindlessly as he flipped through the channels.  “Bray.”

He looked at me.  His eyes were tired.  I knew he was emotionally worn out, and when I left, he was going to have a lot more to deal with by himself.  He’d still been having night terrors of course, but...I didn’t get up with him.  I knew Barbara did though.  I slept in a separate bedroom down the hall, and could hear him crying out in the middle of the night.  But I couldn’t...I couldn’t let myself walk down the hall to comfort him.  I knew if I did that, I would want to stay, only to wind up in the same crappy relationship we’d been in for too long.  

It killed me.

I knew it was killing him too.

“I need to know that you’re going to be okay.”

He forced a small smile for me.  “I can handle it, Babs.”

He was lying to me and I knew that.  He wanted me to leave with the reassurance that he could handle everything life had thrown at him so far, but he’d been through so much pain that anybody would have been able to see right through his lies.  “Is...is there anyone you can stay with?”

“My mom is staying,” he told me.  “For now at least.”

“Great.”

“I’ll figure it out.”  He leaned back against the sofa.  “This...this isn’t your life anymore, Abbey.”

“Maybe...”

“No.”  He rubbed his thighs harshly and stood up.  “It’s time, Ab.  It’s time for you to go.”

“It’s...it’s still early.”  I felt the tears creeping down my face.  “I can stay a little while longer.”

“You can’t.”

I knew he was right.

He drove me to the airport as soon as Barbara came back from her shopping, not allowing her to tear into me before I left.  I didn’t say goodbye to her, just went out to the car as she stood in the doorway, glaring at me.  Braeden drove me to the airport, his face red, the tears pouring out of his eyes the whole time.  I knew it was the only opportunity he was going to have to cry openly before he had to go back to his mother.  He was too strong willed to cry in front of her.

I was so scared for him.

“You’ll call me when you get in, right?” He asked, after I had checked in for my flight.  We were standing at the security checkpoint, like we had so many times before...

The difference was, we were saying goodbye for the last time ever.

I was losing him again, all over again, and somehow, it just didn’t seem fair.  Even though I knew I would talk to him on the phone, I knew those conversations would be few and far between.  The point of getting divorced was so we could both create new, different, better lives for ourselves.  If we talked everyday, it...it wouldn’t help us.  I knew I was going to have to back off of him, let him get the help he needed, and hopefully...it would allow him move past the horrors he’d lived through.  “Yeah.  I will.”

He held my face in his hands, and smoothed his thumbs over my cheeks, clenching his jaw, trying his best not to start sobbing in front of me.  “If...if you need me, for anything...you know you can call me.”

I nodded, but I couldn’t speak.  I knew I would break down if I did.

“I love you,” he whispered as he pulled me closer to him.  

“I love you too.”  I wrapped my arms around him after that, and we held each other for the longest time, trying to keep each other close as long as we could, before I had to leave.  

“Be safe.”

It was the last thing he said to me, before he walked out of the airport terminal.

I haven’t spoken to him since.

It’s been four months. I try not to think about how he’s doing, or the type of people he’s involved with now.  It’s his life...not mine.

It’s been hard, accepting that.

“So I met this guy last weekend,” Shawna twirls a strange of hair around her finger, and  her eyes and smile grow wider as she says the words. It’s something she’s infamous for when she has the hots for some guy she met.  “He’s this really important executive.”

I think she meets a different “really important executive” every weekend.

Lucky for me, I’m not part of the bar/club scene.  I have too many distractions like, work,  the boys, and keeping my sanity.  Shawna doesn’t know much about me though.  She doesn’t know that I was married, or...that I used to consider Justin Timberlake my boyfriend.  I promised myself I wouldn’t share my life with other people when I took this job.  That’s how you get hurt, and betrayed, so I keep to myself.  She knows about the boys, of course.  It would be hard for her not to, since their pictures are all over my desk and plastered onto my section of the wall.  I don’t tell her who they really are, though.  I made up some bullshit that they’re my nephews and I’ve warned them both not to tell her differently.  Quincy drops them off at my office every other Friday.  That’s the plan Justin worked out with me.  The boys stay with me from Friday night to Sunday afternoon every other week, and Justin gets them the rest of the time.  Of course...if I want to see them outside of our regular time, all I have to do is show up.  I’m always welcome at the Timberlake’s.

Hell, I even have a key.

I do end up there too, three or four nights a week.  I try not to, but I usually end up falling asleep on his sofa, with Austin and Davey curled up against me.  I’ll wake up the next morning to the sound of an alarm clock that’s been set for me, finding that I’ve been carried into one of his many guest rooms.  He never says a thing to me about it either.  He just lets it go on.  

I know it’s not the best thing for him.

He just...loves me too much to tell me to stop, to go home.

We’re still not together.  

Moving back here was a huge adjustment, and yeah, Justin was a big help.  He let me stay with him for a couple of weeks until we found an apartment for me that, ‘met his expectations’, and soon after I was settled there, he used his power and influence to get me a great job with one of the most prominent marketing firms in the city.  But...I just couldn’t seem to concentrate on getting back into a relationship with him once all of that fell into place.  There was so much on my mind, so much I was still trying to work through, like settling things with my family, and getting my divorced finalized.  I knew it would hurt Justin more if I was with him and couldn’t focus on our relationship.

“And he’s so-oo handsome, in like...a rugged sort of way,” she continues with a giggle.

“Okay,” I snicker as I continue to flip through the graphics book on my desk.  “So what, you’re marrying the guy?”

Abbey.”  

I laugh out loud.

“C’mon, I need somebody to partner up with for a date tonight.  He said he has a single friend that needs to get out more, and the only time they’re both free is tonight.”

“I’m sure it doesn’t have to be a double date.”  I roll my eyes.  “C’mon, focus...don’t you like this one for the billboard?” I hold up the graphic for her to look at.  “Betty wants our pick and a reason why by the end of the day, Shawna.”

“It does have to be,” she whines, ignoring the work I’ve thrust in her face.  “He said the only way he’d take me out was if I set his friend up with one of mine.  Please, Ab.  Plea-ase do this for me.  I swear, I’ll owe you the biggest favor of my lifetime.”

“Last time I checked we weren’t that close,” I scoff.  “Besides, rich guys aren’t always the best choice.”

I mean, I would know.

“But he’s so-oo cute, Ab.”

“It’s my weekend with the boys.”  I hold the graphic up in her face again.  “C’mon, help me pick.”r32;

She pushes the book aside and narrows her eyes at me.  “I think your sister can do without your babysitting skills for one Friday night.  You can hang out with your nephews tomorrow.”

The truth is, if I called up Justin and told him I had something to do tonight, not only would he die of shock, but I know he would tell me to go out and have fun.  He knows I never do, that my life has become solely about work and being with the boys.  It could be fun too...going out tonight.  Even though she can be slightly annoying at times, I know that I’ve grown close to her in the few months I’ve been with the firm.  We never do things together outside of the office, but I can tell Shawna is the life of the party outside of this place.  She’s bubbly and funny...reminds me of Charlene a little, and since...since everything about that friendship is more than complicated at the moment, I know it would make me feel good to have a friend in my life...if only for an evening .  The only thing is, I don’t want to have to bullshit my way through a date that I already know I won’t enjoy being on.  It won’t be fair to this guy.  Not when my mind will be elsewhere.

“I really don’t want to.”

“But you will because you love me.” Shawna smiles and slides my cell phone closer to my hand.  “C’mon, call your sister.  I mean, you never know...this guy could sweep you off your feet.”

I glance at her.  “I don’t get swept off my feet.  Not anymore.”

“You know, you really need to get laid.”

I close my eyes and sigh.  I hate that she’s right.  “Shawna...”r32;

“Look, I get that you’re private and everything.  But, whoever the guy is that made you so...warped, he shouldn’t matter.  I mean, what are you going to do? Be miserable forever?”

Why am I giving in? I mean, am I desperate? Is what she just told me hitting me that hard? I shouldn’t care about relationships because I’m not ready for one but...I mean, she’s telling me all of this and it’s just making me think about how fucking lonely I am.  I have the boys but...those are the only people I seem to spend time with.  I see Justin, but we don’t hang out by ourselves.  I know it would be too awkward for him.  When I’m over his house, we’ll have dinner with the boys, but then he’ll go talk on his phone or go work in his study.  

I guess maybe...I should make an attempt at this having a life thing.

If I don’t, I could turn into more of a mess than I already am.

“I don’t know why you have this effect on me.”  I pull up Justin’s work number and get up from my desk.

“Yes!” She squeals.  “Seriously girl, you won’t regret this.  You can come back to my place and we’ll get ready together.  I’ll make you look dead sexy.”

I just roll my eyes, but allow the smirk to escape me.  “I’m sure.”

I walk away from our desk and down the hall to the bathrooms, shutting myself in a stall and making sure I’m completely alone before I make the call.

“Justin Timberlake’s office, this is Cheryl.”

“Hi, Cheryl,” I sigh and run a hand through my hair.  “Is Justin available?”

“Oh Abbey...how are you?”


r32;She says it with such sympathy in her voice.  While she’s not really involved in Justin’s personal life, I know she always liked me, and knows I’m partially responsible for his attitude change over the last year or so.  “I’m okay, and you?”r32;

“Very well.  I think he just got off the line, so I’ll put you through.  Take care.”

“You too.”

It rings twice.

“Timberlake.”

I love hearing his voice, even now, when it’s so serious because he’s in the middle of twelve different projects at once.  “Hey.”

“Oh...”  His voice lightens.  “Hey Ab.”

“Did I get you at a bad time?”r32;

“No...no, just...one second okay? One second...”

He’s dropping too many things for me right now.  I hate it.  I hate how he’ll scramble for me, rearrange his entire day just so he can talk to me for a few minutes.  I know...I know how he feels, and it’s terrible that he holds it all back from me.  He does it for me, so I won’t get upset, tell him he’s pressuring me.  He fucked up so bad in the past with me and he still feels he has to pay for it.

I wish he didn’t try so hard.

I listen for a while.  I can tell his hand is over the mouthpiece, trying to prevent me from hearing what’s going on, but he’s failing.  I hear a bunch of people in the background, talking to him about ‘this buy in’ and ‘that trade’.  It sounds like he’s yelling at them.  Yelling at them all to get out of his office.

“You still there?”  His voice comes back on the line, breathlessly.

“Yeah...Justin, if you’re busy I can call you back.”r32;

“I’m not busy,” he blurts out.  “What’s up.  How are you?”

He has that hope that I’m going to say “let’s go to dinner.” Just like every time I call.

I hate to let him down...again.

“I’m okay.  I wanted to talk to you about tonight.”

“Oh...the boys right?  It’s your weekend.”

It wasn’t what he was expecting.

“Yeah I...I kind of found something to do tonight.  I was going to ask if I could take them tomorrow instead.”

“Really?” He laughs.  “I have plans too, but that’s fine.  I can have Beth watch them.”

“I don’t want to mess up anything.  I can just cancel.”

“No, you’re not messing anything up,” he says simply.  “Beth has to watch Kristy anyway.  Trace is getting me out of the house for once.”

“Oh...wow,” I say, surprised.  I know he’s like me, doesn’t go out much, unless it’s for the boys or a business affair.  “How’d he pull that off?”

“I owe him a favor or two.”

I try to laugh, but it sounds so forced that I stop.  “Well, I hope you have a good time.”

“You know,” he says softly after a moment.  “I could always...cancel.  We could go to dinner or something.  Talk, maybe?”

“Justin.  I...you know how it is.”

“Yeah.  Dumb idea.”

I feel like shit.  “It’s not dumb it’s...”

“So I’ll see you tomorrow,” he speaks over me, obviously not wanting to hear my explanation.  “Maybe noonish? Just in case I get in late, okay?”

“Yeah,” I say, sheepishly.  

“Great.”

He hangs up.  I cry for a few moments, before I force myself to get it together.

 “So did she have a conniption?” Shawna asks me when I get back to my desk.  

"No." I rub my forehead with my hands, trying not to let the fact that I feel like a complete ass show.  “It’s fine.”

“Awesome.  Think Betty will let us out early?”

I just shrug.  She doesn’t seem to notice.  She’s too busy rambling on and on about her hot date and what she thinks she’ll wear.  I should be excited to get out and do something different on a Friday night for once.  But all I can do is focus on Justin’s let down voice when I told him I wouldn’t go to dinner with him, and the clicking sound of him hanging up on me.  Why couldn’t I say yes? Why wouldn’t I want to spend a night out with him?

I guess I’m just so afraid that I’ll get hurt, that something will go wrong that will make me leave or make him leave.  I don’t want to go through it again.  I don't want Justin or the boys to go through it either.  I just...love them all too much.

He’s better off without me.  He’s better off going out with Trace and meeting knew people.  I hope he does.  I hope he meets a better woman tonight, a woman that’s better than me.  

I hope he finds a reason to forget all about the relationship we used to have, once and for all, so I can too.

Fifty Four by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
A quick update! I have no power and no time to be at a wifi spot for more than an hour or so at a time until the weekend.  Hope you enjoy!
“You could be a little more excited about this.”

I shrug, as I watch him fix his tie in my mirror.  “I am excited.”

He turns to me and smirks.  “Yeah, you’re really acting like it.  Look man, it’s not like I don’t understand.  You’ve been holding out for Abbey, and...you’ve given it your all.  You’ve tried.  The girl just...she doesn’t want to be with you, hell, I don’t think she wants to be with anybody.  You’re friends, and that’s all your ever going to be.  That means you have to move on.  I’m gonna help you do it.  I know a lot of women.  This girl seems a little more genuine.  Genuine women hang out with other genuine women.  I’m sure her friend will be a great match for you.”

“You realize you make no sense, right?”

“Maybe not,” he winks.  “But at least you’ll get laid tonight.”

Trace’s outlook on women is so fucking warped, and it’s the very reason why I don’t like to go out and meet them with him.  But what else do I have to do? Spend every day and night with my brothers? I mean, yeah, I love them...but I’m twenty five years old.  
I shouldn’t be trapped inside my house all the time.  Trace is showing me that.  He’s showing me that I’m going to lose my mind if I don’t start living again.  Until tonight, I’ve been trying to get my life back without his assistance, figure out a way to get Abbey back, to get her to love me like I love her.  I wanted her to move back in with me and the boys instead of taking them every other weekend like she has court ordered visitation rights.

But I can’t get her to take me back, no matter what I do, what I say, or how hard I try.  She says she’s “not ready.”  I make myself understand, because I have to.

It probably wouldn’t be so hard on me, if she didn’t come here so much during the week to “spend more time with the boys”.  We eat dinner together when she does that, the four of us, and most of the time she ends up falling asleep on my couch with the boys at her side.  I find her that way after I reemerge from my study.  I hide there usually, after dinner, because I can’t bear to be next to her for that much time.  I like to watch her when she’s sleeping.  For a while, I forgot what she looked like when she slept...so peaceful, so beautiful.  I’ll get so lost in watching her sometimes, that it will be after one before I’ll finally be able to carry her to a bedroom and set the alarm for her, making sure she won’t be late for work.

I never say anything to her about those nights.

I know she needs them...

Because she misses me.  

She just won’t allow herself to believe it, and I know it’s because she’s afraid.
And that’s my fault.  I accept full responsibility.  I mean, this is what happens I guess...when you tell the woman you love that you never loved her.  The shit is confusing.

Most of the time, I lie in bed, trying to think of ways to turn back time.  It’s crazy.  If the technology was right I could probably pay some scientist to build me a time machine.

But there is no such thing.  I have to live with my mistakes and tonight...tonight my conscience is telling me that I’m doing the right thing by going on this date.  That my best friend is trying the best he can to get me over Abbey, and I should be thankful for him.  Thankful that we can be this close after last year and all the shit that happened.

So I will be thankful for him.

But the date...I still don’t know if I can stomach it.

“Can I cancel?”

“Fuck no.”  He grabs his blazer from behind him and throws it on.  “I talked this date up big so this girl would get one of her friends to come along.  I’m not letting you make me look like an idiot.  I kinda like this one.  She’s...really easy going, if you know what I mean.”

I roll my eyes.  “I-I’m not going.”

He storms over to me and pulls me to my feet by the arm.  “We’re gonna be late.”

“Where do you meet these bimbos?” I mutter, as I allow him to drag me to the bedroom door.  “I really...I really dont’ want to meet some psycho tonight, Trace.  I’m stressed out enough as it is.  The last time you set me up, I had nightmares afterwards.”

“You did not.”

“I did.”

He sighs and opens the door.  “Can we go, please?”

I can hear the boys laughing and running around downstairs with Kristy, as Beth yells at them to calm down. I smile a little bit.  Lately, I think the only thing that can get me to smile is them.  They’ve been so much better since Abbey came back.  I don’t think I realized how important she really was to them until she moved back here.  They smile and laugh every day now.  They’re both doing great in school, I don’t fight as much with Austin...and...and I guess I’ve sort of gotten back into the swing of things with them too.  I have my Austin Fridays and Davey Sundays again, every other of course, since Abbey takes them now.  It’s easier for me though.  I can plan out my weeks, knowing I’ll be leaving work early every other Friday.  It’s easier on the company too.

Things with work have been so much better.  I’ve gotten my head together, taught myself how to balance my time with the boys and the company all over again.  I’ve stopped sleeping around, and stopped going out to late business dinners with Trump and Trace.  They’ve dealt with it.  Trace is mostly to thank for that.  I’m still in the deal, mostly as an investor.  Trace does all the footwork, and traveling, and I’m glad.  I know it’s something he enjoys...property dealings.  When he was with Goldman he seemed to be going through the motions.  The money he made turned him into this robot that only cared about making more and nothing else.  His new career brought him closer to his daughter, and for that reason alone, I’m glad that he doesn’t work for me anymore.

It’s like...ever since Abbey came back, things have been so much better...easier.  Life has been better in general.

But she’s still not mine.

“Justin.”
r32;“Yeah, I’m coming.”

He sighs, narrows his eyes at me, and walks out the door.  It takes me a moment more for me to follow him.  I pathetically pull my Blackberry out of my pocket, checking to make sure Abbey hasn’t tried to call or text.  I was hoping maybe...she reconsidered my dinner offer.

But I should know better.

“Justin! Can we come with you?”  Austin throws his arms around me when I get downstairs, and I laugh a little as I ruffle his hair.  “Please?”

“Not tonight, buddy.  It’ll be too late for you.  Abbey is coming tomorrow to pick you up.  You’ll do some fun stuff with Davey then.”

He sighs.  “I wish she could have come to get us tonight.”

“Yeah, but...she’s out having some fun.  You know...sometimes she needs to do things for herself too.”  

When she told me that she had plans, I have to admit, I was a little surprised.  I’m not a genius, but I don’t think I have to be one to figure out that Abbey has no life outside of work and the boys.  I hate that.  She’s..special, and deserves to have fun, but I guess...her fear holds her back.  I’d like to thank the person that’s managed to get her to do something with herself.  I keep wondering who it might be...

If it’s a guy.

But if it is, and she enjoys herself with him tonight, I’ll live with it.

The important thing, is that she’s happy.

“I know,” Austin whispers.  “Maybe tomorrow you can come with us.  Abbey promised she’d bring us to Great Adventure this weekend.”

I raise an eyebrow and laugh.  “Oh yeah? She’s gonna take up that challenge all by herself, huh?”

Austin grins.  “She said she’d go on Superman with us if we’re both tall enough.”

I smile for him, knowing she’s perfectly capable, and that it’s definitely not my place to interfere in their time.  It would be awkward, and uncomfortable for both of us, even though it would be nice to spend that time with my brothers.  “I think you’ll have enough fun with Abbey, without me coming along.”

“Oh, okay.”

He’s disappointed.  He hasn’t said it because I know he’s happy Abbey is back but...he misses having us together.  It’s that one vital missing link that makes us a family...her living here, us being in love.  I know if it happened, the boys would be whole again...

And I would be too.

“You should get to bed soon, okay?”  I ruffle his hair one more time before pulling away from him.  “Abbey’s gonna be here around noon to get you, and I don’t want you two cranky, all right?”

“Okay, Justin.”  

“Let’s go, man.”  Trace is standing by the door with an impatient look on his face.  It’s obvious he’s already said his goodnights to his daughter.  He’s ready to go.

I’m so not ready.

I give Davey a quick hug and a kiss, and ask Beth to make sure they get to bed at a decent hour, before Trace practically yanks me out the door.  Quincy is waiting for us in the Escalade, and Trace makes sure I get in before him, probably so I can’t run back into my building.  Then he gets in, and...we’re off.  

“So where are we going?” I mutter, after a while.

“Dinner, dancing...you know, crap that women like.”  He shrugs.  “I thought we could get a table and a couple of bottles down in Chelsea tonight.”

A loud nightclub isn’t really my ideal spot for a date, but I figure that if it’s loud, I won’t have to talk to this girl.  Just let her grope me and feel me up as I drink myself ridiculous, so I’ll go with it.  “Cool.”
r32;We pull up to the restaurant about a half hour later.  Trace gets a phone call on the way there from “Shawna”, who he later tells me is his date for the evening.  He flirts with her on the phone, and it makes me sick to my stomach knowing that whoever she is with, is the girl that I’m going to have to face tonight, put on a fake smile for, and...might have to make conversation with.

When I get out of the Escalade, I feel like I’m about to puke right there on the sidewalk.

“Hey.”  Trace says into his phone as we stand outside the place.  “Are you guys in there? Yeah...we’re here.  Justin, yeah....he’s cool.  No I think your girl is gonna like him a lot.  He’s a little shy though...” He trails off and laughs out loud.  “I didn’t know you could be so nasty...”
r32;Really?

“We’re coming in.  Okay, I’ll see you in a minute.”  He hangs up and sucks in a breath before grinning at me.  “I forgot how hot she is.”

“Where did you meet her again?”

“Starbucks,” he laughs.  “I took Kristy for hot chocolate last weekend.  She just couldn’t resist my fatherly charm.”

“Only you would use your daughter to get a date.”

“Hey, if I wasn’t with Kristy, I still could have gotten a date with this one.”

I just roll my eyes, and push past him so I can walk inside the place.  

“Mr. Timberlake,” The maitre d' greets me pleasantly.  “How nice to see you.”

It’s normal.  They all know me.  I think I’ve been here before for a business lunch or two.  I nod at her.  “Thanks.  We’re meeting some...”r32;
“Yes, right this way.”

My money can buy me anything, I swear.  

I look over my shoulder as she begins to lead me directly to our dates.  Trace is right behind me, grinning devilishly.  

I’m nauseated.
“Well, hey,” Trace steps in front of me as the we stop at our designated table.  I see who must be Shawna sitting there, looking at the menu, and she immediately snaps to attention at the sound of his voice.  She’s pretty, I guess.  Definitely not my type.  She seems too immature and bubbly.  That kind of woman annoys the shit out of me.  

I hope her friend isn’t the same way.

“Hey, daddy.”  She crinkles up her nose as she smiles.  “Nice that you could make it...and...” She cranes her neck around him slightly so she can see me, since I’ve decided to practically cower behind him.  “You brought...oh...”

Her eyes widen and she gasps slightly.  It’s obvious that she knows who I am.  It figures, but why wouldn’t she?  This is New York City, and unless you’re living under a rock, you’ve see my face once or twice.  My smile flies on as Trace motions me forward to introduce myself.  “Hi.”  I shake her hand.  “I’m Justin.”

“Yeah...wow...”  She laughs nervously.  

She wasn’t expecting this.

“Justin’s my best friend,” Trace says.  “I know he’s kind of...in the spotlight or whatever, but I figured you would be cool about it.  He needs to get out a little more, you know?”

Why doesn’t he just tell her why whole life story?

“Oh yeah, sure,” she smiles.  “Um, Abbey is just in the bathroom, but she should be back soon.”

I just stare at her.  “Abbey?”

“Yeah, my co-worker.  She’s nice, and she works hard.  I think you two might have a lot to talk about.”

We all sit.  I look down at the table.

It can’t be.

It can’t be her.

“Abbey who?” Trace finally asks.

It’s the million dollar question.  I feel my palms sweating.

Please don’t say Feldman.

Please, God, don’t let her say Feldman.

“Feldman.”

Oh mother of God.

“I almost got lost...this place is....”

I look up just in time to meet Abbey’s gaze.  She’s breathtaking as always, wearing a little too much makeup, but I blame Shawna for that.

Is this really happening right now?

“Justin,” she blurts out, her eyes wide, her cheeks a brilliant shade of red.  “What...I mean...” Her eyes dart back and forth between Trace and I.  “What are you two doing here? ”

“Wow.” Trace laughs loudly.  “I mean...what the fuck are the odds of this?”

“You all know each other?” Shawna gasps.

You would think out of the four of us, she would be the most confused right now.  But no, she comes in a close second.  I think I take first for this one.  I don’t even think about the consequences, all I know is...I have to leave, right now, before start confessing my undying love for Abbey in front of a stranger.  I get up quickly.  “It was nice meeting you,” I tell Shawna, before I turn and walk out.

Trace doesn’t stop me.  I know he gets it.  I know if he were me, he’d be doing the exact same thing.

This is so fucking unreal and embarrassing.

“Fucking damn it.”  I lean against the building when I get outside, the fresh air immediately allowing me to breathe more easily.  

Out of all the women in Manhattan, Trace meets Abbey’s co-worker in a Starbucks, and asks her out.

Out of all of Shawna’s friends, she asks Abbey to go on a double date with her.

What the fuck? I mean, can fate be anymore cruel?

I’m gonna puke.  I need to get home.  Right now.

I dial Quincy.  He doesn’t answer.  I’m sure he’s stopped to eat dinner, and even though he works for me, he’s always made it clear that when he’s eating...he’s eating.  Shit, I don’t care.  I’ll cab it.

“Justin.”

God, Ab.  Just go away.  I can’t take this.  I can’t take standing here in front of her, while she lists all the reasons why we can’t be together anymore.  I’m sick of trying.  I’m sick of making attempt after attempt of asking her to dinner, to go for a run, to do anything with me without the boys.  Trace is right.  I do need to move on...

Before I go fucking crazy.

I ignore her.  I never thought I would again, but I am right now. I put my hand out, waiting for my taxi to stop and take me away from all this madness.

“Justin...just wait a second.”

I feel her hand gently touch my shoulder, but I shrug it off roughly.  “Just...go,” I snap.

“I didn’t know about this.”

I turn back to her, shooting her a harsh glare.  “Of course you didn’t.  If you did, you wouldn’t have shown up.  I already asked you to dinner, remember? You turned me down.”

“We’ve talked about this,” she sighs.  
r32;“I know that! Okay? I know.  You’re just too busy to give a fuck about us anymore.”

I walk further down the block, determined to get away from her.  For a few minutes, I think she’s given up, either gone back to the restaurant or simply caught a taxi back to her place.  It gives me enough peace of mind to stop walking so I can catch a taxi of my own again.  It takes a good ten minutes more, but one finally stops for me, and I’m just about to get in...

“Let me ride with you.”

I glance back over my shoulder.  It’s her again.  Why? Why is she trying to talk to me now? It doesn’t make sense.  She constantly avoids me.  Why is tonight suddenly so different? “Are you kidding me?”

She gets into the cab.

“What the fuck!”
r32;“Are you getting in or what?”

I pace back and forth for a few moments, knowing the cab driver is glaring at me, growing impatient because I’m wasting his time.  I don’t want to get in there.  I don’t want to be trapped in a cab with Abbey, because I don’t have anything to discuss with her.  She’s made her decisions, and I’ve finally started to accept them.  

“Justin.”

I stop pacing, and sigh harshly when I look at her.  Her expression is serious but her eyes are saying more than she wants to let on.  She...cares.  

She misses me.

I want to give her a chance.

But if I get shot down one more time by her, I don’t know what the fuck I’m going to do.  

“What,” I rasp.  “What now?”r32;
“Just get in.”

I do it, slam the door behind me, and cross my arms sternly across my chest as the driver pulls away from the curb.  “Where to?” He asks after a moment.  

“Ninety five West...”

“No,” Abbey speaks over me.  “Can you take us to Little Italy?”

I turn my head quickly and stare at her.  “What’re you doing?”

She shrugs.

I open my mouth, to yell back at the driver, to tell him to take me home.  The longer I wait to do it though, the more I realize that Abbey is now giving me the opportunity to back out of this.  

In fact, I think she’s expecting me to do it.

It’s her little escape route, an excuse, so the next time I decide to ask her out, she’ll tell me “I had my chance.”  She doesn’t want to go to Little Italy.  She doesn’t want to go anyplace with me.

But she just fucked herself over, because I’m not backing out of this.

She’s mine for the night.  I’ve won, and she doesn’t even know it.

I start to laugh my ass off.

“Justin...”

I can’t stop.  r32;r32;“Have you lost it?”

“It...” I clutch my stomach and lean against the door, feeling the tears rolling down my face because I can’t stop laughing at the whole thing.  “It’s...it’s just so fucking hilarious.”

“You’re drunk, right?”r32;
“No.”  I wipe at my eyes and let out a long breath, finally able to regain control of my laughter.  “It’s just that...you’re such a plotter, you know that?”r32;
She glares at me.  “What are you talking about?”

“You just gave me a way out,” I chuckle.  “You...you were expecting me to turn you down weren’t you?  You thought I was pissed off enough to do it, didn’t you?”

She shakes her head roughly.  “No...no...I...I wasn’t thinking that.”

“Bull.”  I shake my head.  “You’re so damn crafty sometimes, Ab.  Good thing I know you well enough not to fall for your stupid shit.”

“Aren’t you going to tell him to take you home?”

Her tone is so hopeful.

“Nope,” I smirk.  “We’re going.  We lucked out too, it’s a nice night.  Maybe we can go for a walk on the pier, huh?  Have some gelato and crap?  It’s a little cold, but you can wear my jacket.”

She slaps a hand over her eyes.  “Fuck.”

It’s my chance.  My one chance to get her alone, to talk to her...to tell her how much I still want to be with her.  

I have to do this.

I have to give this my all, because if I don’t get her back tonight...

I never will.
Fifty Five by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Okay so I don't know how some of you are going to feel about this chapter.  The way it ends was sort of sporatic, but I really feel it's where the story should go.  Although, there's more to it. I think there's only three or four chapters left, so...yeah, I'm getting real emotional.  I love this story! Thanks for reading!
It’s almost like I remember it...being here tonight.  The moon is shining down on the water, and the sky is filled with a billion gleaming stars.  It’s quieter of course.  There’s no street festival to entertain us, and it’s much colder.  It’s still taking me back though.  Taking me back to that first night I cracked, took her to dinner, and wound up sitting here, on this very bench.  I think about the person I was then.  How big of an ego I had, how selfish and greedy I could be, and how I tried so hard to protect myself from the rest of the world because I was terrified of what it could do to me.

I remember how she broke me down in that one moment as we sat here gazing out at the water.  I remember thinking how beautiful she was, how...she could peel back all of my protective layers, see deep down into me, and know exactly how I felt about...about everything that had happened in my life.  I took a chance that night.  I put my emotions on the line, and I kissed her.  

That kiss was like magic.

That kiss...changed my life.

I couldn’t turn back after that.  I was addicted to her, completely, and it only got worse.

But now we’re here in this same spot, barely speaking, all because of my stupidity and the confusion that Braeden caused when he suddenly returned home alive.  

I know I still love her, even though I said so many things to make her think otherwise.  I know she misses me too.  She misses just...being with me, doing things like this with me.  

But does she love me anymore?

I wish I could say yes.

But I’m really unsure of the answer.

She’s shivering, and I quickly remove my jacket.  “Here.”

She waves me away.  “I’m okay.”

“You’ll catch a cold.  It’s November.”

She looks at me.  She’s shocked that we’re even here right now, and I know if she could...she’d run, get a taxi and go home.

But a part of her won’t let her do that.  A part of her, I know, is pleading with her to stay here with me and...just try.  Try to come to terms with our relationship.  Decide if it’s worth saving.

I wish she wasn’t so terrified of me.

I wish I’d been a little smarter, a little more compassionate.

But I can’t change the past, and I wish she would realize that.

“C’mon,” I whisper.

She stares at me for a moment, before sighing heavily and sliding just slightly closer to me on the bench.  I slowly remove my jacket, and gently place it around her shoulders, being careful not to touch her skin, or any other part of her that will push her further away from me.  She pulls the coat over herself, and I see her eyes close for a moment.  She takes a breath.  She smells the familiarness of me.  It’s a comforting thing to her...even now.  

“Abbey.”

She just nods.

“Can I talk to you now?”

“You act like we never talk,” she says a few moments later.

“We don’t.  Not about us.”

“It’s better that way, don’t you think?”

I’m silent, unsure of what to say for a while, before I decide to go with my gut and speak from the heart, like she’s done so many times before with me, even though I didn’t want to listen.  “No.  I think...I think avoiding...us, because you’re afraid, is fucking stupid.”

She glares at me.  “If you’re just going to berate me...”r32;
“Why are you afraid of me, Abbey?”

“I’m not.”

“Yeah you are,” I laugh softly.  “You avoid me like the plague, unless it has to do with the boys.  I mean, we can’t even go to dinner.  You just...run away and hide, every time I bring it up.”

“How can you expect me to be in a relationship with you?” Her eyes are filled with tears now.  “I...I can’t.  I can’t do it, because I’ll just fuck it up, or you’ll realize I’m not worth it...” She shakes her head.  “I can’t go through that again, Justin.  I can’t lose you again.”

I close my eyes, feeling my face turning red as my nostrils flair.  I’m so disappointed in myself.  I didn’t think, I let her down, and she ran off and married that guy because of it.  Of course it didn’t work, and I was there for her because Austin forced me to be, but...it didn’t make up for what I said.  I don’t think anything ever could.  “So I’ll make a deal with you.”

She just stares at me this time.

“I’ll ask you a question, and if you say no...that’s it.  I’ll leave you alone.  You can see the boys like you do now, and that will be it.  I’ll drop this whole thing, and we can move on.”

“Justin...it’s...nothing is that easy.”

I shrug.  “Why?  It’s simple, Ab.  One question, no strings attached.  Whatever you say, I’ll go with it.  I’m...prepared, I guess.  You’ve taught me to handle things...in my life.  Even something as hard as losing you.”

She looks down at the ground, and whimpers a little bit.

“Ab.”

She seems to force herself to look me in the eye, and I slide myself closer to her, cupping her face in my hand.  “Abbey, do you love me?”

“God...” she croaks, but doesn’t pull away from my touch.  “Justin...I...Justin...”

I feel my emotions give way, completely.  I can feel the hot tears crawling down my face, and I hate it...I hate being this weak in front of her, but I can’t help it.  Abbey is the love of my life, and no matter what her answer is, I know a part of me will never be able to let go of her completely.  “Just tell me, Ab.  Please.”

“I want to love you.  I...I just...I don’t know if can.”

I shake my head gently.  “I would...I would never hurt you again...like I did before you left.  I should have cherished you, but I...I got lost, Abbey.  You know how I am, you’ve always known and...when Braeden came home I couldn’t handle it.  I thought I lost you the second you got the call, and I closed myself off.  I was an idiot, I know I was.  But...letting you go right now, isn’t an option.”

She searches my eyes for a long time, trying to find the truth in what I’ve told her.  I don’t know what else to do to make it clearer to her.  It’s crazy that she doesn’t realize how much she’s changed me...my entire life.  I love her so much, and...I just can’t help myself.

So I kiss her, fully expecting her to slap me.

But she doesn’t.

She pulls my face closer as my lips linger against hers, taking me in with every emotion inside of her.  She’s longed for this again, for my touch, to feel me right next to her, holding her.  I never want this moment to end.

But it has to.

So I decide to ask her the question one more time.  

“Do you love me?” I whisper it when I stop kissing her, pressing my forehead to hers, my eyes closed, waiting for her to give me an answer.

Any answer.

Even if it’s not what I want to hear.

“I love you.”

My eyes open.  She’s sobbing, but I don’t even care.  She said it.  She said it in that voice I remember.  The genuine one.  The one I always longed to hear morning noon and night when we were together almost a year ago.  “Then...come back to me.  We need you Ab.  You already know how much the boys do...and, I know that I can’t live without you.  I’m tired of going on pointless dates with random women, hoping that I’ll find somebody like you.  The truth...the truth is, there is nobody like you Ab, and I’m not myself unless you’re around.  You’re the only person...the only person who has ever, ever given a damn.  You’re patient and...you let me know when I’m wrong, and I know that...I’m wrong most of the time,” I laugh lightly.  “I need you Abbey...so damn bad.”

She smiles.

It’s been so long since I’ve seen her smile like that.

“You did it,” she whispers.

I blink my tears away. “What?”

“You came back to me.  That’s you, Justin.  That’s the guy I fell in love with.”  She puts her hand against my chest.  “The one in here.  Not the one at the office.”

I sob, and put my arms around her.  Then I’m crying into her, so hard, so heavy.  She’s here...with me, and this version of me is the only one she wants to love.

I have to do...something...

I must be crazy.

But fuck, I’m in love.  

“Maybe...maybe I’ll resign,” I finally say, once I’m calm enough.  

She cocks her head to the side.  “What?”

“Maybe it’s time.”  I nod.  “Maybe it’s time for me to...to just be about us, and not about business anymore.”

“Justin you can’t.  I can handle it...you working.  I always have.”r32;
“But I can’t,” I whisper.  “Ab, I want...I want us to have a life.  A real life.”

She stares at me, long and hard.  “You’re serious.”

“I...”  I look down at my lap for a moment before meeting her gaze again.  “I think I am.”

“You’re willing to give it all up? The money and the status?  Justin, I know I hate your career sometimes, but you’ve worked so hard and overcome the impossible to get where you are.  You can’t just...throw it all away.”

“I’ll always have money, Abbey, and I could give a shit about status.  I’m sick of it.  I’m burned out.  I’m sick of not being there for the boys when they need me, and I’m sick of not knowing when I’ll get to spend time with you.  I...I want to do this.  I want to settle down, and I want the boys to have a more stable life.”  I smile a little bit, and caress her face with my hand.  “What do you think?”

She leans in and gives me a soft kiss.  “I think it’s...it’s the best decision you can make for the sake of all of us, Justin.  And if it makes you happy too, I’ll stand by it.”  She squeezes my hand.  “I love you.”

I lick my lips and smile, even though I’m sobbing.

Again, maybe I’m crazy.

But I just...I just know this is the right thing for me, for all of us, even if it’s sudden.  Even if she just got out of it.  Even if I said I’d never, ever do it.  That I didn’t think I believed in it.  None of that matters anymore.

The only thing that matters, is us, and I know I love her enough to put my fears aside and commit to her, for good.

“Then...will you do something for me?”

She smiles softly.  “I guess I owe you.”

I smile and run my hand through her hair gently for a moment, before finally asking her the question that’s burning inside of me.  “Marry me?”
Fifty Six by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
So I think I lied.  I was going to do the cliche thing and end the story in a few chapters, because I thought most people would think the story was too long, but you know...I want to write more because I love Justin and Abbey.  I don't think there will be A TON of chapters, but a few more than i thought there would be.  I hope you guys enjoy what I've come up with :)
I’m sure most people would think I broke down when he proposed, cried into him and said, ‘yes, yes I’ll marry you Justin.’

But, that kind of thing only happens in faerie tales or really cheesy romance novels.  I figured he was so overcome with emotion that he would have said anything to me that night, because he was so happy that I was back in his life, so happy that I loved him and was ready to start over.  Hell, he wanted to resign for the sake of the boys and our relationship.  That was a huge decision, and I didn’t want him to rush into getting married to me at the same time.  I wanted him to be absolutely sure that getting out of Goldman was what he wanted, before he did anything else.

So I told him that I wanted to get married but...that I thought we needed time to consider our options and figure out what we really wanted to do before we rushed into anything.  The last thing I wanted to do, was make another mistake.  I’d learned from experience that it was very bad to rush into a commitment as big as marriage, and I refused to put Justin through more heartache.

He hated my answer then, but now that he has a better idea of how things are going to work, I know he’s grateful that I knocked some sense into him.  

Although, none of it stopped him from planting a big, fat, diamond ring on my finger.

I look at it everyday, knowing it’s too much for somebody like me.  Braeden’s diamond was a chip compared to this.  It’s from Tiffany’s, has three stone setting, with a four carat diamond in the center.  The band is platinum, and has diamonds going all the way around it too.  Justin designed it himself, and surprised me with the ring a month after we got back together, while we were at dinner.  I didn’t even want to put it on, because I was so overwhelmed at the grandeur of the thing.  But he was whining like a little kid, telling me that he spent weeks coming up with the design and his ‘one desire in life’ was to see it on my finger.

He’s so melodramatic sometimes.

But I love him, so I wear it with pride.  It really is breathtaking. I get stopped and questioned about it all the time.  They all tell me they love the way the stones are set, and ask me who designed it.  It makes me smile, because Justin is that good.  

Unlike last year, Christmas and Thanksgiving weren’t very eventful.  I made sure the boys had a tree, and gifts on Christmas Day, but other than that, Justin and I didn’t find the time to plan a nice dinner or decorate the house.  We were too busy moving me out of my place and back into his on the weekends, since our weeks were packed between work, the boys...and well, getting the romance back into our relationship.  It made me slightly sad, but I knew things wouldn’t be that way forever.  

Next year, I’m sure, will be much better.   

The only thing that matters right now, is that we’re together.  

After a ton of discussion, we decided to wait a year to get married.  Well, more like I decided.  I know if I left it up to Justin, we’d be getting married next week.  It’s better this way.  We can plan the wedding we want while giving ourselves some breathing room.  Justin wants to go all out for this of course, have the five hundred person guest list, eat off thousand dollar place settings, drink out of priceless imported antique crystal...you name it, it’s on our ‘must do’ list.  I’m not...into all of that.  He knows that.  He knows that I like to make things simple and enjoyable enough for everyone.  He hates that too, so...he’s decided not to accept it.  He’s made it clear that we’re going to have a kick ass wedding and I’m going to have to ‘deal with being spoiled’.  I hate when there’s a fuss made over me, but there’s no point in trying to change Justin’s mind.  We’ve already picked the venue, The Plaza on Fifth Avenue, and hired the best wedding coordinator in the city.  She’s all about making our “special day” the “event of the year.”  We’ve had two meetings with her already.  Justin loves her, naturally, says she’s going to do a great job.

As for me, I want to gouge myself in the eyes whenever she pays us a visit.  She doesn’t just laugh, she fucking cackles.  I roll my eyes at Justin whenever she does that.  He just smiles at me, and continues to act professional, but is quick to make fun of her later on, when we’re in bed.  He’ll imitate her laugh during sex...

I hate that it makes me laugh.

It’s not that I’m not excited.  It’s our wedding...and I love Justin.  I love him with all my heart, but I guess...I guess I was with Braeden for so long and got so used to ‘making due’ that I forgot about the type of lifestyle Justin lives.  He’s so damn privileged, and no matter what, he’ll never accept anything other than the best when it comes to his life...the boys, and me.  I guess I should snap out of this funk that I’m in, start having fun and putting in my two cents with the wedding coordinator.  Justin keeps telling me we have a year, and that I can make the planning process fun for myself if I put some effort in.  He says that it’s not fun for him, making all the choices by himself.

But what the hell do I care if the chandeliers come from Austria or France?  I’ll take American made for two hundred, Alex.

If I can, I’ll leave the detailing to Justin.  He’s just...better at it.  I mean, I just want to get married without all the fuss.  Is that so much to ask?

The bright side of this? Our problems are minimal outside of the wedding planning.  I think Justin and I are more in love now than we’ve ever been and our physical relationship is stronger than ever.  Our sex life is at another level.  It seems to be everything rolled into one...passion, fun, and love.  I know it’s corny, but, at times, I feel like our bodies were made to love each other.  I said it to Justin once, and much to my surprise, he agreed.

I’ve come to find out that he’s turned into a little bit of a sap, something he vowed he would never be.

I love it.  It makes him that much more adorable, but I can tell he doesn’t want his secret getting out to the rest of the world.  I’m fine with that too.  I like that we can have a private, personal side to our relationship that nobody knows about.

I thought we were like a family before everything happened, and I guess we were...but now, it’s just like...we’re complete, the four of us.  Justin makes it a point to be home for us.  I can’t even remember the last time he had to work late, or attend a business meeting.  He’s all about the family now, and I know the boys are better because of it.  

They were never happier when I moved the last of my stuff back into the penthouse, and quickly turned back into the two boys that I remembered.  I still remained at my job for that first month after I moved back in.  I thought I could do the work and still be there for the boys, because I was enjoying the firm, and didn’t want to leave.  But then I would find myself getting caught up in a project, causing me to stay later and later.  It meant I was missing more and more of the boys time after school.  Even though Justin was there a little after five each night, and kept telling me not to worry about it, that he wanted me to keep working if it was what I wanted, I just knew I couldn’t do both.

The boys were more important.  They depended on me so much, so I gave up my short lived career, telling myself it was the right choice.

It’s been okay.  I don’t mind staying home.  Most of the women I knew before I moved away are still around, and they tend to fill up my mornings and afternoons before the boys get out of school.  Of course, there’s a piece of me that’s slightly bored, but I force myself to ignore it.  One day, when the boys are older, I’m sure I’ll be able to get a job again.

That’s what I keep telling myself, anyway.

Shawna and I have managed to maintain a good friendship even though we don’t work together anymore.  The day after our little double date, she practically jumped me as I walked into our office, and dragged me to Starbucks.  I laughed at her while she asked me a thousand different questions about myself.  It never occurred to me that she cared so much about my past, and what had happened in my life.  I found myself telling her about Braeden, about how I came to meet and be with Justin, and...what made us break up.  She understood, didn’t act like Charlene and so many other people in my life did when I told her I had to leave Braeden behind.  The only thing she kept telling me was that she thought I was brave to give up so much to be with Justin, and that she admired me for it.  

She’s still with Trace, too.  It’s the end of March now.  That’s almost six months that they’ve been together.  I guess...he considers her his girlfriend now.  Justin told me that he does...that they have a cool relationship and that she’s great with Kristy.  How anybody could deal with Trace for that much time is beyond me, and I’ve asked her what she sees in him.  She just laughs and tells me he’s not as bad as I think he is.  

I stay out of it.

Trace and I will never be friends.  Just casual acquaintances at best, even though he’s Justin’s best friend.  I wish I didn’t have to say that but...I can’t be friends with somebody so ungrateful.

I mean, all this shit has happened, and he still hasn’t thanked me for getting him vindicated.  The most he’s done is backed off of Justin when it comes to our relationship, but if he didn’t, I think he knows I’d kill him at this point.  I already have enough people in my life that don’t accept us as it is.

I didn’t want to tell my parents about the engagement, but Justin insisted on it.  He told me that he knew I would want them at the wedding, and even though I hated it, I knew he was right.  I didn’t want to get married without my family there.  So...I called them, a few days after Justin and I had that conversation.  I was sick to my stomach as I listened to the phone ring...nervous as hell.

I hadn’t spoken to them since I moved back to New York, and I knew...I just knew they wouldn’t accept the fact that I was back with Justin, and engaged all over again.

My mother wouldn’t even speak to me once I told her.

My father, on the other hand, decided to be a little more  logical.

“Abbey, do you really think getting engaged is the right thing for you?” My father asked.  “You just signed the divorce papers a few months ago.  You need to give yourself a chance to breathe.”

I was thankful that he wasn’t yelling, but at the same time, I could tell he was disappointed in my decision.  “We’re not getting married for a year, daddy.  I just...love him.  I never should have married Braeden.  Can’t you just look past the divorce and be happy for me?”

“It’s hard honey.  So much has happened.  I’m just...not sure how much your mother and I are willing to be involved in this.  I can’t stop you.  I’m not trying to.  It’s your life but...I don’t think I can tell you what you want to hear.  We might have to skip this one.”

It took me less than a second to realize he was being serious.  

I had to hang up, because...I was so hurt.

There I was, finally happy, and my family wanted nothing to do with my engagement.  

“It’s a lot for them, that’s all.”  Justin rubbed my bare shoulders and kissed my neck as he said it to me that night in bed.  “Everything that went on last year, was more than most people have to put up with, normally.  They weren’t ready for the news, but...that’s okay.  The wedding is a year away.  They’ll come around.”

“They don’t want any part of us.  You know how my family is.  They stick with things.  If they don’t like this now, they won’t like it in a year.  We...we might as well not even have the wedding.”

“Hey.”

He pulled on me slightly so I would turn and face him.

“Justin...”

“Look, regardless if they come.”  He paused and kissed my lips tenderly.  “We’re having this wedding.  This is about us, Ab.  I know...your family is a big deal, but...you me and the boys are what’s most important right now.  We’ll make the best of the situation, like we always do.  After the crap we’ve put our relationship though, don’t you think we deserve this?”

I stared into his eyes.  They were so full of life, and energy, even in the dark.  He was going to marry me, love me, and I was going to love him.  He had so much faith in us, and I felt bad for making the wedding all about my parents.  The truth was, it wasn’t about them at all.  The wedding was a symbol of our love for each other, and the family Justin and I had created.  “Maybe we can just go to Vegas instead.”

“What? So Elvis can walk you down the aisle?”

“The boys would probably think it was neat.”

We both laughed, and I realized how ridiculous I was being.  I was just...scared though.  I was scared that if my family didn’t accept us, nobody would.  

“We’re staying right here,” Justin told me.  “I’m proud of us.  We’re not going to skulk off and get married like we’re ashamed of ourselves, Ab.  I’ll get you through this thing with your parents.  I promise.”

I knew he meant it.  Every word.  I hated to think that my relationship with my parents was becoming non existent, but I knew as long as I had Justin, I would be able to overcome anything.  He would be there for me.  He would be my whole family if he had to be, because besides the boys, I was his only family.  It only started to hit me then, that Justin wouldn’t have any other family at our wedding.  There would be no mother/son dance, no father to give Justin a final pep talk before we took our vows.

He was going to do it all on his own.

I started to feel really terrible about that, and he...he hadn’t even mentioned how he felt about it.  I knew him though, and I knew he was sweeping his feelings under the rug so I would continue to be happy.  I hated that, but at the same time I was too scared to ask him about it.  The last thing I wanted to do was make him remember the regrets he had about his parents, so instead, I let him have his way with me in bed that night, over and over again.

It was one of the most intimate nights we ever had.

Two days later Justin held a press conference, telling all of New York, and the rest of the world, that in a years time, he would be stepping down from his position as CEO.  I was dumbfounded, completely shocked that he went through with it.  I didn’t know what he was going to do, although...he seemed to have a pretty good idea.  He was already making plans to start up his own business, weeks before he made his official announcement.  He wants to open his own chain of financial planning firms, and knowing how Justin works, his dream will become a reality in no time.  Everything the guy touches seems to turn to gold, and I know that owning his own firms will give him more time to do the things he wants, without compromising his career.  That’s great, because I think if Justin stopped working all together, he’d become so stir crazy that I’d want to strangle him.  

He told me as soon as he lays out the ground work and begins to gather employees and a solid client base, he wants to start teaching me about the stock market, so we can work together.  I’m not so sure if I want to get into it.  I don’t think I’d be good at telling people how to spend their money, and I told him that...but he seems to think otherwise.  He thinks I’m very persuasive, exactly the type of person he wants working with him.  He says we’ll be partners.

I’m still not sure if I’m cut out for it.

But we have a year before anything happens, and hopefully he’ll reconsider.  Although, he’s stubborn as hell, and when his mind is set on something, he almost never changes it.

I flush and cough a little as I stand up straight again.  Thank God I made it to the bathroom.  If I’d tossed my breakfast up in front of Dalton and embarrassed Austin, he never would have forgiven me.  I’ve been stomach sick for the better part of a week.  Nothing seems to be helping.  I’ve been sleeping a lot and trying to hide it from Justin so he won’t worry.  I know he can tell something is up with me though.  I pick at my dinner when I would usually devour it, especially on the nights that we go out or Lucinda prepares my favorite foods.  He’s been caught up with work this week, thankfully.  It’s made him slightly too busy to completely focus on my ailment.  

I’ll be fine.

I find my phone on the coffee table.  Justin’s left me a text telling me he’ll be late for our lunch date, but that Trace is on his way to get me, and we should order without him.  Great.  I mean, I already feel sick as it is, and now I have t put up with Trace’s arrogance on top of it.  Justin is going to pay for this later.

“You ready?”

Trace was nice enough to forget to knock and has simply opened the door with his own key.  Fuck, that scared me.  I wish Justin would let me change the locks on him, but he refuses. “What if there’s an emergency?” He’ll say.  Yeah, Trace is definitely somebody I’d want around in a fuckin’ emergency.

Jesus, I’ve been so bitchy this week.  I’m so thankful that the boys have school.  I hate to bring this kind of an attitude in front of them.

“Yeah,” I finally say to him, my voice sounding weaker than ever.  I grab my purse and sling it over my shoulder.  “Thanks for knocking.”

He shrugs.  “I have a key.”r32;
“Still.”  I roll my eyes and slowly walk over to where he’s standing.  “It’s more for emergencies.”

“Fine.  Sorry, Christ.”  He holds his hands up in a surrender motion as I begin to squeeze past him and out into the hallway.  “You all right?”

“Fine.”  I nod as I get out into the hallway.

“You...you’re really pale, Abbey.”

Crap.  I can’t tell him.  If I tell him I’m sick, he’ll only tell Justin, and because Justin is the biggest worry wart ever, he’ll want to rush me to the doctor, and honestly, I’m not in the mood today.  “I’ll be fine,” I sigh.  “Can we just go?”

He just stares at me, a knowing gaze in his eyes.  It’s so irritating . “What’s the problem?”

“It’s just...I don’t know if you should be going out.  You look like you just puked your life up.”

“If I was sick I would have told you.”

He laughs slightly.  “No you wouldn’t have.”

“I just want to go.”  I storm past him and walk towards the elevator.  “Come on.  Justin’s late as it is.”

“Whatever.”

I reach the doors and press my hands against the wall as I lean against it.  I’m so tired.  Tired and nauseated and I should be laying down.  But damn it, Justin has been busy this week, and getting to go on a lunch date with him is a special treat for us, even if Trace has to come with us.

The doors ding open.

I can’t move.  It’s like my legs are made of lead right now.  

“Abbey.”

I feel his hands on my shoulders.  

I groan like some weirdo.

“Are you sick? I’ll call Justin.”

I turn to him.  Everything is fuzzy.  He’s still talking but...I can’t even understand him.  It makes me laugh, because I like him better this way.

Then I fall to the ground, and the light fades to black.
****************
Beep.

Click.

Woosh.


My eyes flutter open.  The room is bright white, and there are machines, and a big wooden door.  The bed has rails, and it smells like bleach in here.  Hardcore.

I’m...in a hospital?  I try to sit up, but I’m so weak...the most I can do is move my head around.

“What...wha...”

“Hey.”  

I glance to my right.  Trace is sitting in a chair next to the door, magazine in his hands, staring at me with a worried gaze.

“What happened?”

“You fainted,” he laughs.

“Glad you’re amused.”

He shrugs.  “You should have been paying closer attention.  You’re so damn naive.  That’s your problem.”

“What’re you talking about?”

“When’d you stop taking the pill?”

This conversation has just reached a new level of awkwardness.  “What the fuck...”

“Look, they took a blood sample from you on the way to the hospital,” he huffs as he flips the pages of the magazine.  “They found out what’s wrong with you.”

I don’t even care.  The last person I want to tell me something like this, is him.  “Where’s Justin?”

“On his way.  He was in Brooklyn with clients, and on his way to the restaurant, which of coruse, was in the opposite direction from the hospital.  He’s caught in traffic.”

I sob a little.  “What the hell is going on?”

“You really want me to tell you?”

“Yes!  I mean, am I dying, Trace!”

“No,” he snickers.  “Not quite.”

“Then what?  Did I eat something bad? I mean, I’ve been feeling sick all week.  I just blew it off as nothing but now, now I’m lm like blacking out and...”

“Calm down,” he says, interrupting my babbling.  “You’re not dying and you don’t have food posioning.  They said that you just haven’t been eating enough, because you didn’t know...um...this is real fucking awkward...”  He trails off and runs his hands through his hair.  “They said you’re pregnant.”

My mouth drops open, and I start to tremble.  No way.  He’s lying.

He has to be.

I...I can’t be pregnant.  I mean well...I can but...I’m not ready to be.  “Don’t lie to me.”

“That’s not something I’d lie about.”

The door bangs open then, and Justin races into the room, desperate to get to my side.  His arms immediately encircle my body, and I hug him, but my gaze remains fixed on Trace while I hold Justin in my arms.  I can tell by the look that’s on his face that he’s completely serious.

Holy fuck.

“Are you okay?” Justin whimpers, as he kisses my face and runs his hands through my hair.  “Abbey...fucking God...”

“I’ll be okay,” I reassure him, feeling the tears spilling out of my eyes.

“What’s wrong with you? Did they say anything?”

I can’t answer him at first.

“Trace.” Justin looks back at his friend, who is still sitting in the chair.  “What’d they tell you?”

“I um...”  He gets up and takes a deep breath.  “I need some air.”

“Trace!” Justin calls after him.

But he just leaves and the door bangs shut behind him.

Great.  Fucking asshole leaves me to fend for myself.  I want to be pissed at him like always but...

But I guess if it wasn’t for him, I’d be a lot worse off at the moment.

Justin stares down at me, panting harshly, tears pouring out of his eyes.  His face is bright, bright red.  He doesn’t know what he can do for me, and he’s about to hyperventilate.

I gotta tell him what’s going on before I give him a heart attack.  Only, I have no idea what he’s going to think.  Is he ready? I guess it doesn’t matter, because this baby is going to come either way.

“Justin it’s...it’s not a bad thing.”

“Not a bad thing!” He plops down on the edge of the bed and continues to stroke my face and hair. “Trace said you just...you passed out in the middle of the hallway!”

“Justin...shh.”  I reach out and stroke his face, sniffling my tears back as best as I can.  “I’m going to be okay.”

“What’s wrong with you,” he whimpers.  “Abbey...I...whatever it is, I can help.  I can get you the best docotors...I’ll do whatever it takes to get you better.”

I feel myself smile, for the first time realizing that...that I’m going to have his baby.

We’re going to have a baby.  While it’s a shock, completely unexpected, I know it’s a beautiful thing.

I know that he’s the only one I want to have a child with.

“Justin...”  I trail off and press my lips together, trying to suppress my giggle.  “I...I’m pregnant.”

His eyes widen, and the blue color of his eyes grows even more intense.  His breathing starts to regulate itself again, and he caresses my face with a slightly trembling hand.  “Pregnant?”

“Yeah.” I nod, feeling my smile growing wider.

“Pregnant.” He smiles and sucks in a breath before he leans down and kisses me powerfully on the lips.  “I...I can’t believe...we’re having a baby?”

He’s laughing heartily, and I take the opportunity to pull his face back down to mine, kissing him even more powerfully, trying to thank him.  Thank him for the gift he’s given me.  “We are daddy,” I laugh.

The tears continue to  float down his face as he gently smiles at me.  They’re tears of happiness, and I know he couldn’t be any happier about this news.  “I guess we should push that wedding date up huh?”

“There’s your excuse I guess.  Lucky bastard.  You’re getting the early wedding you want and then a kid as a bonus.”

He kisses me again.  “Think it’ll be a girl?”

I laugh a little.  “You want a girl?”

“Yeah,” he smirks.  “We have enough boys in this family.”

Suddenly, nothing else matters.  My parents, the stress of planning a wedding, the fact that Justin is stepping down.  None of that is important anymore.  The baby is everything now.  It’s going to change us, the relationship we’ve built, and the way we love each other.

But I know it’s going to be for the better.

I’m ready.
Fifty Seven by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Here's another one. Glad you guys are liking where the story is going! Enjoy!

“Come on you.”

The window shades slide open, and I groan miserably into my pillow as the sunlight seeps into the room.  “Fuck off.”

“None of that.”

I’ve failed at life.

It’s really pathetic actually, because I was given another chance after enduring so much shit.  I mean...I shouldn’t even be alive right now.  Those bastards beat the shit out of me and kept me so malnourished that I still don’t now how I made it back.  I used to tell myself that it was fate.  That Abbey and I were supposed to be together and it was why I survived.

But I was so fucking wrong.  So wrong, and everything is shit now.

Everything.

“Meds.  Come on.  You don’t want to be here another month, do you?”

I sigh harshly, and finally push myself into an upright position.  “I don’t care.”

“I don’t even want to be here another month.”  She laughs as she hands me a tiny cup with my pills and another with water.  “At least you have a choice.  This is what keeps a roof over my head.”

I barely smirk, just take the medication, so she’ll leave me the hell alone.  

“Open.”

I open my mouth and lift my tongue as she shines her light inside of it, to ensure I’ve swallowed my pills.  

“See, that wasn’t so hard.”

“Linda, just get out.”  I flop back onto the bed again, and pull the blanket over me.

“It’s nice out today.  How about a walk?”

“No.”

“Your loss.  Make sure you go to the activity center at some point though.  You know Martin will be on your ass otherwise.”

“Fine.”

She leaves.  I close my eyes.  Thank goodness for silence.

I’ve been here for three and a half weeks.  They tell me that I should be able to go home soon, that I’m showing all the signs of a proper recovery.  I have no idea what the fuck that means.  A proper recovery? I haven’t recovered from shit.

They just don’t have enough space to keep me here much longer, and I know that’s the real reason I’m about to get booted.  There’s too many other fucked up guys just like me, waiting to get in here and get themselves some help.  The only reason I was given preferential treatment was because my case was really severe.  I mean, I guess they considered it that...

Slitting your wrists is pretty severe.

I stare at the gauze and bandages covering them, remembering it all.  It’s still clear in my mind, exactly how it happened, and I wish like hell that it wasn’t.  I wish I could have held it together, been strong like Abbey thought I would be when she left me.  Those first few days were okay. I was tolerating my mother because she’d sacrificed a lot to be able to stay in Texas with me.  But then...then the dreams started in again.  The night terrors.  I mean, they were always there, but they hadn’t been that severe...ever.  The very day that Abbey left, was when they decided to start ganging up on me.  

By the end of that second week, I was completely lost.  I wasn’t sleeping at all, I was going through a case of beer a day, and then more at Alvin’s.  My mom couldn’t get through to me, even though she shouted at me, told me I needed to snap out of it.  But I couldn’t.  I couldn’t be her son anymore.  Not the one that she remembered.

The only thing that kept me hanging on was the thought that Abbey was happy.

But eventually, that happy part of me died too.

By the time the new year came, I had stopped going to work.  I couldn’t handle it anymore, couldn’t focus, and had a big issue recruiting those young kids into the Army, because they had no idea what could happen to them, and I wasn’t allowed to talk about what happened to me.  My CO’s were constantly up my ass, telling me I had to figure out what I was going to do, because they couldn’t continue to house me if I wasn’t performing my duties to the military, presidential blessing or not.  I didn’t listen.  I didn’t care.  I spent my days hiding in the house, and wandered the streets around the base at night, because I couldn’t sleep, and I refused to try. My mom would wait up for me, scream at me when I got back.  She kept telling me that I needed to go to therapy, that I was falling apart.  I’d enrolled in it too, before Abbey left.  I thought I would be okay, that I could go, and work, and live my life like I was supposed to.

But my Abbey was gone.  The one who could calm me down in the middle of the night, the one...the only one that I was completely comfortable around.  She was gone, because I made it so.  I had to do it, and I knew she was better off but...but I just couldn’t get a grip on my life after she was gone.  I went to two therapy sessions, sat in a circle with a bunch of guys who thought they were more fucked up than I was.

But they weren’t.

They had “bad dreams” because they “shot someone.”  I had night terrors because I was whipped, starved, and tortured for seven years.  I had them because in order for us to survive, we had to kill two little kids asleep in their bed.  I saw that every night, the vision of them laying there, covered in blood, still looking peacefully asleep.  

I couldn’t make it stop.  

And they couldn’t seem to understand, or help me.

So I stopped going

My mom didn’t take it well. She didn’t take anything in my life well. The only thing she wanted to do was nag me and nag me, hoping it would force me to be better.  She was fucked up too, and thinking back on it now, I should have known that from the first day she came to stay with me.  But too much was going on, and I just...couldn’t see it.

I wish I could have.

Maybe...this wouldn’t have happened if I did.

She just got out of the hospital a couple of days ago.  Mark is still talking to me, surprisingly enough, and called to tell me they were taking her back home to Colorado.  I thanked him, told him I loved him, that I wanted him to work hard in school so he could get a scholarship, and to promise he would never join the military, no matter how tempting their promises of tuition and an easy ride sounded.

He was sobbing when he got off the phone with me.

I doubt I’ll talk to him again.  My dad wouldn’t allow it.  He’d tell me that I wasn’t going to fuck up one more persons life.  As it is, he asked me not to call, not to come back to Brighton, and I said I wouldn’t, as long as he promised not to tell the Feldman’s what really happened.  He agreed to make up a story, probably because he knew how badly I wanted Abbey to move on with her life.

So I’ll just continue to fuck up my own until nobody cares anymore.

Until they just...let me be...let me die.

That’s all I want.

I walked in the door, completely wasted the night it happened.  My friends had taken me out to party.  It was one of my buddies birthdays, so we went to Alvin’s.  It had been a rough week.  Rougher than most.  The dreams were just...they were so bad.  They made me sick to my stomach, forcing me to vomit several times a day.  

It felt good to drink.  It always did.

I think I cleaned them out of Jack and Coke.

My friends cheered me on of course.  They were probably just as drunk as I was.

“Bray, this has to stop.”

My mom was up as usual, sitting on the couch with the TV blaring softly in front of her when I walked into the house.  “Fine, ma.”

I staggered into the kitchen.

She was right behind me.

I opened the fridge, grabbed another beer out, and prepared myself for another round of solitary drinking.

“Stop it.”

She knocked the bottle out of my hand.  It smashed when it hit floor.  The liquid spilled everywhere.  Visions flashed through my brain then.  My chains knocked into the bucket while I was washing the floor and the water went everywhere.  He grabbed me, threw me against the wall and began to whip me.  He wouldn’t stop, even though I could hear Lennot in the background, begging him to give me some mercy.

I closed my eyes and cried out, screamed in terror, remembering it.

When my eyes opened, the only person I saw was that son of a bitch with his whip, and I would have done anything to protect myself.

I pushed him through the glass patio door.

Moments later, I would realize it was my mother that I’d done it to.

She fractured her leg and had several deep cuts on her body because of the glass.  They told me she needed twelve sets of stitches total, on her face head and arms.  My father couldn’t look at me for days after he flew out, and Mark just stared at me, shocked, knowing I wasn’t the brother he admired anymore.  I was in the psych ward of the North Texas Hospital then, strapped down to the bed because I’d picked up a shard of glass that night that I push my mother, and slit my wrists.

If the neighbor hadn’t called the MP’s when she heard the commotion before I pushed my mom, I would have died.

I would have been better off too.

I was in there a week before they deemed me ‘competent to function’ and my CO arranged for me to be brought here, to this mental health facility, while my family remained at the hospital together.  It’s not horrible here.  They don’t strap me down, just pump me full of drugs so I can’t feel anything.  They force me to sleep through the night, and that’s good.  I feel a little less sick, and I think I could stay here, live out my days, and be somewhat okay.

But now they’re going to release me.

My CO came by the other day, and told me I was going to be discharged, that I needed to get have my stuff out of the house two weeks after I get out of here.  He said that they would try to make it easy on me.  That I’m not going to be dishonorably discharged, and that I’m lucky because if it were anybody else, they would be.  

I have no idea where I’m supposed to go.  I asked him...he told me that he didn’t have an answer, but that maybe the VA could help me.

I hate the fucking VA.

It’s hit me, very hard, that I’m alone.  That I have to figure it out, that if I don’t, I’m going to end up one of those homeless vets that you see on the streets.  

I’m so scared.

I know I could call Abbey too...and that...she would help me.

But I’ll kill myself before I ruin her life again.

She wrote me a letter.  I only just got it, because one of my friends was nice enough to bring it to me.  It was at the house, but he knew I would want to see it.  I read it almost every day.  When I first got it, it even smelled like her, and I got lost in the scent for days.

But then it was gone, just like our marriage.

She told me she’s getting married in a couple of months.

And that...they’re having a baby.

She deserves it.  She deserves Justin and...he deserves her too.  I know she’s going to be safe, secure, and well taken care of.  Always.

I’ve been trying to get myself to write her back, but...I just don’t know what the hell I’m supposed to say.  I know I can’t tell her about my mom, what’s happened, so all I could really do is lie, and I don’t want to.  Not to her.  

I don’t think I’ll write her.  I’ll let her go on, and forget me, because...that’s the best thing for us.

I think about Jess sometimes, wonder whatever became of her.  I’m pretty sure she’s still over there.  Her year tour isn’t up yet.  She never wrote to me though.  I think it’s because she wanted me to focus on Abbey, wanted the best thing for me.  I wish I could tell her how everything has turned out for me.  I wish I could talk to her, tell her how I feel.

I know she would listen.

But she’s gone too.

Everybody is just...gone.

“Braeden.”

I look towards the doorway.  Shit, I didn’t even realize I was crying. I wipe harshly at my face, trying to clear the tears away.  I hate to let them see me cry here.  I’m babied enough as it is.  Linda is standing there, a calm, pleasant smile on her face.  “I told you I don’t want to go for a walk.”

She chuckles and shakes her head a little.  “You have a visitor.”

I cock my head to the side.  “Who?”

“Just come out to the center, would you?”  She rolls her eyes.

“But...”

“I can send him away.”

God damn her.  I grunt, groan, and finally get to my feet, staggering miserably out into the hallway before I follow Linda down to the activity hall.  I see the usual drones seated around the room, staring out the windows, playing Monopoly, and watching TV.

“Hey Sampson.”

I turn around, and my mouth falls open.  There’s Anthony, standing there, his smile a mile wide as he holds his arms out to me.  Shit...

How did he find out?

“Holtoy...”  I stagger forward, and then he pulls me into a long hug.  I find myself crying a little as I hug him back, tightly.  It’s the first feeling of warmth...of being wanted, that I’ve felt in months.  “What...I mean, how did you...”

“I have a few friends at Fort Hood,” he says as we pull away from each other.  “I heard about what happened.”

The look in his eyes is a worried one.  I can tell he’s...better.  No, not a hundred percent, but his life is stable.  Stabler than mine, but I think most people’s are.  “How’s um...” I rack my brain for a moment, hating that his wife’s name has slipped my mind.  “How’s Kelly?”

“Good...she took Michael to the McDonald’s a couple of miles back.  They’ll come say hello in a bit.”  He shoves his hands in his pockets and rocks back on his heels nervously.  “When I heard...what happened, she wanted us to come out here so I could see you.  Crazy right?” He laughs.  “I guess I should have been the one wanting to jump on the plane, but you know what a stubborn fuck I can be.”

“Yeah.”  A smile tugs at my mouth, but quickly fades.  “I know.”

“You wanna sit?  Talk maybe?”

For the first time since I was brought here, I decide to take Linda’s advice.  “How about a walk outside?”

He raises an eyebrow, seemingly surprised.  “Yeah, sure.”

We seem to talk about everything on that walk.  I tell him about Abbey, what happened between us, and he seems to be the first person I’ve ever told, besides Justin, that understands.  During our flight back home from Afghanistan, I told him a lot about her, and he told me a lot about his wife and baby...what he remembered of course.  He tells me his relationship with his wife has changed.  He has night terrors too, and it caused them to go through a few rough patches when he came home, bad ones, that nearly tore them apart.  Their family was very supportive though, and had them seek counseling before they could get a divorce. It’s helping them a lot.  Anthony tells me he’s fallen deeply back in love with his wife because of the therapy.  His relationship with his son is really great too, and I’m happy for him, since the kid never new his father before last year.  He was just a baby when Anthony disappeared.

Out of the both of us, I think Anthony deserves the better life over me.  He spent thirteen years in that hell, more than anybody should have to, and his wife...she actually waited for him.  She refused to believe he was dead, and refused to date anybody else.  She reminded their son every day that he had a daddy, and that he would be coming home one day.

That’s fuckin’ dedication.  I know Abbey was like that for a time...

Then Justin came along.

But I won’t resent her for it.  

“So what happens now?”  He sits down on a bench and I sit next to him.  “They’re discharging you?”

I nod and look at the ground.  “Yeah.  They’re doing me the favor of making it an honorable discharge but...they tell me I have to be out of the house right after I get out of here.”

“You got somethin’ lined up then?”

I shake my head.  

“Fuckin’ great government we have,” he laughs bitterly.  

“I...I don’t know what I’m gonna do.” I rub my face with my hands.  “I had savings but when I got married, half of it went to that, and furnishing the house.  Then...then I got into some trouble and had to use part of it for bail.  I have about two grand to my name right now, and without a job...I know I can’t get a place of my own.”

“Why don’t you come to Arizona,” he says, automatically.

This was his intention.  But I can’t...I can’t just invade his life like that.

“I can’t.”

“Look, Kelly and I discussed this.  She wants me to help you out, you know? If...if it wasn’t for you, I’d still be there.  I know I would be.  I never...I never tried to escape before that day.”

I look up at him, seriously.  “Please don’t tell me you believe all that bullshit they say about me saving your life.”

“But you did.”

“You lead us to that road, Anthony.  You made sure I didn’t shoot myself in the face that day. I mean, fuck, they gave me a Medal of Honor and...”

“Then put it to some use would you!”

I gasp a little.

“Sitting here, letting them dictate what you’re going to do, and tell you that you’re nothing but a piece of shit vet now, isn’t showing the country why you earned that Medal, Braeden.  You need to come out of this, and make something of yourself.  Kelly’s dad has his own construction business.  I practically run it now.  You can come work for me.  Kelly says you can stay with us for as long as you need.  I’ll pay you decent, and when you get enough money together, you can get a place of your own.  Your life will change Bray, trust me.”

I shake my head.

“You need somebody,” he persists.  “Come on, Sampson.  I...I have my family back, and it’s because of you.  It’s my turn to help you out.”

“You don’t know what I’ve turned into.”

“I have a good idea.”

I look up at him, and see the understanding in his eyes.  I don’t have to get into the gory details. Anthony just...knows.  He knows what my night terrors make me capable of.

Maybe that’s what I need.  Somebody who knows what’s running through my mind.

And if Jessica can’t be here, I guess Anthony is the next best person.  I know I can trust him, because he was there, and now...he wants to help me, so maybe it’s time that I cave in and let somebody do it.  Arizona will be new, and fresh.  Maybe it’ll be like he says, maybe I’ll be better, different, and have a completely different life in a few months time.

Maybe I’ll actually meet somebody.

“A-all right.  I’ll do it.”

“Great,” he smiles.  “You won’t be sorry.”

I hope he’s right.

Fifty Eight by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Kideeluv for the inspiration behind this chapter! Love ya girl!

June

“When’re they gonna call the flight? When! When!”

Austin turned fourteen this year, and in the fall, he’ll be starting his first year of high school.   But right now, you’d never know it.  Right now, he’s acting like he’s about five years old.

It annoys me, but I understand.  Maybe it’s not him that’s annoying me so much.  It could just be the situation...or more specifically, where we’re going.  Yeah.  Must be.

“Calm down,” Abbey laughs and hands him a Capri Sun out of her purse.  “In a few minutes.”

“Abbey will you come see where we used to live?” Davey asks.  “I want to show you!”

“If you want, baby boy.”

I feel her give me a reassuring rub on the thigh, but I don’t look up from my computer.  Abbey gets why I’m so serious though.  She knows I’m terrified of this trip.  I mean, anything could happen, but I know if I don’t go, I could put the future of my foundation at risk, because I promised to make an appearance at a couple of schools while I’m there.  The donators already don’t like that I’m stepping down from Goldman.  Most of them invest with us, and told me they’re considering going to a different firm when I leave.  I’ve pleaded with them to wait, told them I have somebody lined up to take my place that will do an even better job than I’ve done.

I know that’s could be a lie, but...I don’t want the firm to go downhill just because I’m leaving.

My foundation isn’t the main reason I’m going back to Memphis though.  This trip is more for the boys and for Abbey and I, but I figured it would only be fair to handle some business while I’m in town.

Because after this, I doubt I’ll be back...ever.

It was shortly after Abbey got out of the hospital that the subject about adopting the boys came up...

Oh, did I mention I’m going to be a father?

Yeah, I know, I’m fucking excited too.

We were laying in bed, holding each other in a naked embrace after a few rounds of love making that I didn’t want to end.  I knew her pregnancy was going to complicate our sex life eventually, so I figured the more we could get in before she popped, the better.  Abbey told me I was a freak, but I pointed out that she was too.  Then she laughed, and was quiet for a while.

“Babe.”

I kissed her.  “Hm?”

“When you moved the boys out here, did you adopt them?”

I stared at her for a moment.  It was weird to think about it, because I never had before.  The court had handed custody of the boys over to me, and after that, I never thought about it again.  “No, I just have legal custody.  That’s all it’s ever been.”

“Did you ever think about taking that step?”

I smirked a little.  It was no secret that her pregnancy had caused my sentimental side to shine through more than usual.  I mean, it was great.  I was going to have a baby, and...with her.  With the love of my life.  The old me would have been scared shitless, ran for the hills, but Abbey had changed me.  Abbey made me want to start a family with her, and I was thrilled...even more so because it meant we could push the wedding up.  We both agreed that we couldn’t wait a year to get married if a baby was coming.  We would need to find a proper house, get settled in, and my plans to start my own business would have to be put into effect before the baby came, because I didn’t know how much time personal time we would need after the birth happened.

The last thing I wanted to do was run a brand new business into the ground.

We’re getting married in August.  Our wedding coordinator wanted to kill me when I told her, I could tell, but she’s still managing to get everything set up the way we want it in time for the big day.  I mean, I gave her six months, so she better.  She’s the highest paid wedding coordinator in the city and if she screws up, we both know her reputation will go right down the crapper.

“I...I never thought about it,” I said.  “I don’t have their birth certificates.  I left Memphis in a hurry and the family never sent me anything besides their social security cards.  I guess I would need them.  Mac would probably know.”

“I was thinking maybe...we could adopt them.  You know, before the baby comes.”

I raised an eyebrow.  “Like, you and me together?”r32;

“No, the other ‘we.’”

I glared at her playfully.  “Nerd.”

“What would it take?” She caressed my face gently and smiled.  “A lot?”

I shrugged.  I knew it wouldn’t be too difficult.  It was just the matter of getting a judge to sign off on some paperwork...

And getting the right documents from Kimberly.

I cringed at the thought of seeing her again.  The bitch that I had to pay off, just so she would butt out of our lives.  I wondered what she was doing with the million I gave her.  Did she spend it all in the matter of a few months? Or had she put it into something, invested it? Either way, I was sure she was still telling everybody what a fucking asshole her oldest nephew was.  I didn’t want face it.  Any of it...

But Abbey wanted us to adopt my brothers, and I knew that it was the right thing to do. We were getting married, and by November, we would have a baby of our own.  I knew she was thinking about them, that she wanted to make them her children along with the baby.  It made me love her even more than I already did.  

“We’d have to go to Memphis,” I told her, the hesitation in my voice apparent.

“Oh.”  Her smile faded.

She knew it was a difficult request, asking me to go there and complete our family.  I’m sure she thought I was going to say no.  But the thing about it was...I couldn’t say no.  I didn’t want the boys to grow up, graduate high school, without having a proper family.  While I would always be their brother even if I did adopt them, I knew that Abbey was different.  Abbey could be their mother.  Hell, she already was in my book.

But I knew she wanted to be, officially.

“We can go.  I...I’ll do it.  This is important.  I know it is.  I don’t want our kid growing up questioning everything.”

“If you’re uncomfortable...”

I shook my head, and silenced her with a kiss.  “We’re doing this.  I can’t be a coward.  I have to face...going home.  I have to deal with what happened to my parents.  I brushed it off too fast when it happened.  Maybe it’ll be easier this time around...maybe I can come to terms with some things, you know?”

She squeezed my hand and smiled softly.  “I’ll get you through it, J.”

“I know you will.”

A week went by.  I contacted Mac about what it would take to get the boys adopted, and he agreed that I should make the trip down to Memphis to sort out the papers with my aunt.  He offered to accompany me, but I turned him down.  I thought it would be awkward having him there, and I didn’t want Kimberly to be any more of a bitch to Abbey and I than I already knew she would be, so he told me to call him when I was ready to deal with the courts.  I had Cheryl book the trip soon after I got off the phone with him, and called Abbey to tell her the news.

She was ecstatic.

I’ve been trying to be ever since.  

Trace tells me he thinks I’m doing the right thing.  I’ve never been more thankful to call him my best friend.  He was there for Abbey that day when I couldn’t be and it proved that he was over his issues with our relationship.  It terrifies me to think what could have happened if she fainted alone in the house.  The doctors told me later that Abbey hadn’t been eating or drinking nearly enough because she’d been unaware of her pregnancy, and that she would have to watch her diet for the next nine months.  I’ve been keeping a chart in the house for her.  We write down what she eats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and make sure the number of calories match what the doctor suggested for her.  She thinks it’s silly of course, but I’m not about to take a chance.

Abbey had her first ultrasound a few days after I booked our trip to Memphis.  I think I had more questions about what was going on than Abbey did.  She’s so easy, she just went with the flow like everything was completely cool, while I questioned ‘what the gel on her stomach was’ or ‘hey, what are you sticking up there?’.  The doctor laughed, reassured me that everything was fine, and told Abbey that it was usually the men who flipped out the most.

But I wasn’t flipping out I was just...curious, and worried about my baby and my fiance.

The moment I heard that little heart beat though, all of my questions stopped, and for a few moments at least, I was able to stop worrying so much.

It was beautiful, like music to my ears.  I found myself not being able to suppress an overly wide smile as I looked into Abbey’s eyes and held her hands.  There were tears in her eyes, and she was laughing.  Then the doctor turned on the screen and showed us what the baby looked like.  It was a little more than a blurry dot, but we could see where the head and hands were.  I couldn’t believe that we’d created something so beautiful together and I didn’t hesitate to kiss Abbey on the forehead then, telling her that I loved her.

The doctor printed us a picture of the baby, told us our due date was going to be right around Thanksgiving, and that if we wanted to find out the sex of the baby, we could ask at the next ultrasound.

It’s next week, and we’ve decided that we want to know what we’re having.

Abbey is excited.  I’m just...nervous.  I feel like I’ve been in a bubble ever since March.  The baby has seemed real but not...that real.  Knowing the sex of the baby will make it final.  We’ll be able to design the nursery appropriately, once I find us a house, and Abbey will start picking out clothes and things.  It’s crazy.  I mean, I’m going to be holding that little baby in my arms in just a few months.  One day, it will talk, call me daddy, and depend on me for everything.  Of course I have the boys, and know what it’s like to have kids look up to me right now but...

But I guess it’s just different, because this is my own flesh and blood on the way.  I want to be better than my parents were with me, and I know I have the resources but...it’s more than just about money.  I want to be a good dad, teach my kid everything, make sure he or she does well in school, so he or she can be successful in life.  

I’ll never leave him or her in the dust.  I’ll always be there, and it makes me feel even better about giving up Goldman. I’ll never have to miss an important event in it’s life, and Abbey can count on me, the boys can...more than they ever have before.

She’s been pregnant since the middle of February, according to the doctor, and I’m not sure, but I think that Valentines stay at the Four Seasons was probably the culprit behind this.  We’re at month five now, and it’s been a few weeks since we’ve done anything other than kiss and touch.  She tells me that she feels weird trying to have sex, and I have to admit I do too, but...it’s hard...not having it, since I haven’t stopped wanting her at the same time.  Being pregnant has taken it’s toll on Abbey emotionally though, I can’t deny that, and so I don’t push the issue.  The first couple of months were all about her throwing up in the mornings, and dealing with cramps that she couldn’t do anything about.  Now it’s the emotional stage, or so I’ve read online.  She sobbed into my chest the day she had to start wearing her maternity clothes, freaking out because she didn’t think I’d find her attractive anymore.  I told her she was insane...

She’s beautiful pregnant.  

She’s fully popped now.  It’s amazing how fast she went from a flat stomach to a bulging one, in the matter of a couple of weeks.  Her chest has...expanded too, and having bigger things to play with...has kind of substituted for our lack of a sex life.  I like to grab her breasts, and she whines and tells me that they’re sore.  It’s fun to touch them.  They’re sort of hard, because of the milk that’s being stored inside of them.  I feel like a curious little boy at times, exploring her body.  I rub her belly while we sit on the couch together, or while we lay in bed at night, tell her it’s good luck.  She thinks I’m a weirdo and asks me to please not refer to our child as my ‘rabbits foot,’ as I’ve so affectionally nicknamed it for now.

Recently, it’s started to kick.  Abbey freaks out and calls me over every time it happens, and pulls my hand down to feel her baby bump.  It’s amazing to feel it moving around inside of her.  If the boys are around we have them feel it too.  Davey is really curious about it, but Austin is kind of weird about it.  I don’t think he knows how he should feel about this.  He hates change.  Abbey thinks he feels like he’s going to lose her attention, but I know that’s not the case and so does she.  I guess...he had such a hard time trying to get his own parents attention away from Davey, he expects to have to put up with the same thing when the baby comes.  I try to talk to him about it too, but he never wants to, and I know it’s his way of dealing with his feelings...

Just like me.

I’ve tried to sit down with the two of them and explain what’s going to be happening. Austin knows all too well though.  He experienced our mothers pregnancy with Davey, and he’s old enough that he understands how babies are made. But Davey is just clueless.  He doesn’t get how a baby wound up in Abbey’s stomach, but he’s ten now, and I guess I’m going to have to have that talk with him sooner rather than later.  At least, that’s what Abbey thinks.  I don’t know though.  I’m terrible at that crap.  I’ll probably stutter and he won’t have a clue what I’m talking about in the end.

I’m going to put off that conversation as long as I can.  There’s so much going on though, that I know Abbey will lay off me about it for the time being.

“Attention passengers.  At this time United Airlines flight 1062 to Memphis would like to start boarding it’s First Class and Elite rewards members...”

“Yes!” Austin jumps out of his seat and raises his arms in the air.

Abbey glances at me.  I just laugh and shake my head.  There’s no turning back now.  Kimberly is expecting us.  I called her about a week ago.  I thought she was going to drop dead when she realized it was me.  She didn’t yell...I didn’t either, and it was weird.  It was like a sort of peace had come over us, we were able to talk civilly, and I told her about Abbey, how we were getting married and having a baby, and that I needed to get some documents from her, so we could legally adopt the boys.

She didn’t say much.  She just said she’d like to meet her.

It was a good start but, I’m still so uneasy about it.

“Come on!” Austin tugs on my arm.  “C’mon!”

“I’m coming...” I tug my arm away.  “Just calm down, damn.”

He grins and races ahead to the entrance way.  I feel Abbey grasp my hand, as Davey runs along after his brother.  

“He’s excited.  Let him be.  It’s the first time he’s smiled in weeks,” Abbey explains.  “You know how confused he is about the baby.”

I shrug a little.  “The last time I saw my aunt, I was cramming the boys into the car.  She barely got to say goodbye.”

“But you’ve changed since then.”

We stop a few feet from the doorway, and she grasps my hands in hers as she gives me a gentle kiss on the lips.  

“I...I don’t know how...to talk to her,” I confess.

“You will,” she nods.  “Justin...you dont’ say it, but I know...I know you want to have a relationship with this woman.”

I’m silent.  I’ve never admitted that to myself.  I’ve been too focused on pushing her from my memory.

Now, more than ever, I realize that I paid her off to push her away.  What if I hadn’t? What if I tried to work something out?  Maybe I would be able to have a family member at my wedding.  Maybe...I would be able to remember my parents more than I do now.  

But I just...I don’t know if I can do this.

I’m not that strong.  I don’t want to relive it.  I don’t want to be reminded of my parents, that they had their flaws but they were good people...and I threw away my relationship with them, simply because I was arrogant, and bitter.  “Will you help me, Abbey?”

“I always have.”

She smiles at me, and I kiss her.  Then she pulls me by the hands, and we follow my brothers onto the plane.  I’m going back, back to everything I thought I’d left behind for good.  I don’t know what’s going to happen or how Austin and Davey will react to being back.

All I know is that Abbey is here, with me, and she’s going to get me through this, no matter the outcome.  She’s so damn strong, even now, pregnant and all.  Stronger than I think I could ever be.

I’d never admit it, because it’s cheesy as hell, but...she really is my hero.

And I can’t wait to marry her.

Fifty Nine by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Here's another! Enjoy!

A chauffeur was waiting for us at the baggage claim, a large sign reading TIMBERLAKE in his hands.  Most people would think it was special and exciting, only because it’s something they’re not used to.  But I’m used to this.  I’m used to a lot of things that I never thought I would be, and when my baby comes, it will be born into this lifestyle.  It will know nothing about being poor, or watching it’s family struggle to put food on the table, like Justin did when he was young.  A big part of me is thankful, but the other part is slightly concerned.  I don’t want this child to turn into a spoiled brat, but then again, with me for a mother, I know that will be next to impossible.  If I’m as strict with this child as I am with the boys, it will be more grounded than most of the children it will attend school with.  

The limousine passed through lush suburban parts of Memphis at first, filled with large houses and clean, quaint neighborhoods.  It had a down home feeling, and for a while, I liked being in town.  Then, the surroundings seemed to change in the blink of an eye.  Everything started to get gritty, dumpy, and impoverished looking.  Justin would barely look out the window, and when the boys began to get excited, I knew we were close to their old neighborhood.  It was a world away from their life back in the city, and I could tell that just being in the neighborhood was making him remember things he desperately wanted to forget.

“Is it this one, sir?”

Justin didn’t acknowledge the driver.  He was staring out into space, seemingly deep in thought.  I knew he was nervous, that he didn’t want to be there, but I was determined to be strong for him, and get him to accept why we were here and what we had to do for the good of the boys.  “Justin.”  I rubbed his thigh.

He lowered his sunglasses over his eyes and seemed to snap out of it.  “Yeah,” he rasped.  “The yellow one on the corner.”

The driver pulled into the driveway and I knew we’d finally arrived at Aunt Kimberly’s house.  Austin was tugging on the door handle before the limo came to a stop, desperate to get out.  Thankfully, I’d put the child locks on before we even got into the car.  I didn’t want the boys running off, because I didn’t know the area well enough, and knew Justin would be annoyed if we lost track of the boys ten minutes into our trip.  “You have to calm down, Austin,” I whispered to him.  “You’re going to get Davey all wound up.”

Davey bounced in his seat, and I knew that he was already wild, and would stay that way, regardless of Austin’s example.  “When can we get out!”

Austin groaned and leaned back harshly in his seat.  “I want to get out!  This sucks!  I’m not a baby!”

“Shut up and listen to Abbey,” Justin grunted at him.  “And you better behave in Aunt Kimberly’s house.  Don’t ask her for things, and try to pretend that you’re happier than you’ve ever been, so she doesn’t start questioning me.  Got it?”

He glared Justin, but was silent after that.

It made me roll my eyes.  I knew Justin was bickering with him because he was nervous, but I didn’t like it.  My pregnancy had started to change Austin.  Well, that and the fact that he was turning into a teenager too.  His hormones were raging, and his mood swings were something we all experienced on a daily basis.  I knew he was having a hard time with puberty, and I wished that Justin could have sat down with him and talked about it but...deep down, I knew Austin wouldn’t want to.  He’s like that...he pushes people away when they try to get too deep down inside of him.  Justin used to be that way too.  Hell, he still is, except when it comes to me.  He can talk to me about anything.

I guess that’s all that should really matter.

Austin will come around, eventually.  

For now, I need to focus on this little something growing inside of my body.

That day in the hospital, I was happy of course, but I was terrified at the same time.  I didn’t know what to expect, and I wasn’t sure if was going to be able to raise a baby when I wasn’t prepared to have one.  The person I needed the most was my mother, but I...I was scared shitless of telling her the news.  We hadn’t spoken since I told my parents about my engagement to Justin.  Hannah kept me updated about what was going on of course, but just barely.  We talked once a month if we were lucky, and I knew that confiding in her about the pregnancy was a bad idea.  She’d only run and tell my parents, and they in turn, would flip the hell out.

I’m five months into this.

They still dont know a thing.  

Justin knows that too, and he says that I need to tell them before the wedding, that it’s wrong to keep it from them.  I know he’s right but...I still haven’t been able to do it.  Once we get back home though, I’m sure Justin will help me make that call.

I can’t wait...

Being pregnant is a lot different from how I originally thought it would be.  I was really sick for the first couple of months.  The morning sickness and cramping was horrible, but when I crossed over into the fourth month, I started to feel slightly better...only, I was an emotional mess.  My belly had started to expand, and I could no longer fit into all the cute clothes that Justin loved to see me in.  I broke down one morning while he was getting ready for work, staggered out of our bathroom with my jeans half on, sobbing because I felt like a beast, and I told him that too.

“Abbey...” He laughed gently, his shirt hanging off of him because I’d interrupted him as he was yanking it on.  “You’re not a beast.”

“Yes I am.  My clothes don’t fit anymore.”

“That’s why they make maternity clothes.  Remember that shopping trip you went on with Shawna?  I thought you said you got some cute stuff.”


“I don’t want to wear them.  I want to be normal again!”

I sounded like Austin when he didn’t get his way.

“You look sexy as hell with that belly.”  He kissed my forehead and cupped my chin in his hand, as the smile grew wider on his face.  “I love it.  I love why you’re this way.  I want my baby, Ab.  It...it makes you more beautiful to me, seeing you this way.  Now come on, stop crying.  I can’t be a sap all day.  People might think I have a weak spot, and that’s a no no in my line of work.”

I did my best to stop crying, and he gently wiped the tears off my face, kissed me, and told me he loved me more than anything.  

I knew he didn’t care what I looked like then.  He loved me like I was, and I felt slightly better about myself after that.  He doesn’t know it, but without his encouragement, I probably would have shut myself away from the world for the duration of my pregnancy.  

I’ve learned to cope with my baby bump, try to tell myself that it makes me look cute every chance I can.  The thought of why I have the bump keeps me going, and I’ve come to love the fact that I have our baby growing inside of me.  It’s filled me up with an indescribable joy that I’m sure only pregnant mothers know about.  It’s a very active baby, always moving around.  I can feel a sort of “swooshing” inside of me several times a day, which my OBGYN tells me is normal.  She told me that the baby will sometimes do flips and somersaults while in the womb, that they play in there, just like a normal child would play on the outside.  It figures that my baby would be this playful.  It’s Justin’s baby too, and that means it most likely has inherited his lust for life.  I’m sure this baby is itching to get out and start living, and the more time passes, the more active it’s becoming.  It kicks constantly now.  It’s an amazing feeling, and I try to get Justin to feel it along with me whenever possible.

His eyes fill with magic every time he presses his hand to my belly, and he smiles, like he’s never loved something so much in his life.

I know he’s just as excited about being a father, as I am about being a mom.  That’s saying so much about his personality, about how much he’s changed. He’s done a complete 180.  Two years ago he was miserable, cold hearted, and completely obsessed with money.  If he’d gotten his girlfriend pregnant then, I hate to think about what choices would have been made.  Now, he’s just obsessed with me, the baby, and the boys.  

I love him for trying, for changing, for sacrificing himself for me.  In turn, I’ll do anything for him, and right now, I know he needs me to be here for him more than ever.  Right now, I have to be the strong one.

Because he’s on the verge of a breakdown.

The house is simple, very tiny inside.  It’s one floor, has one bathroom, two small bedrooms, a kitchen, and a living room.  Justin told me an hour into our visit that he’s checking us into a hotel for the night, because there was no way he was sharing a bed with the boys and my pregnant self.  I can’t say I blame him.  That would be one crowded bed, and one bathroom isn’t going to work for me, considering I have to pee every fifteen minutes.

“...and tomorrow, maybe we can go to O’Sullivans,” Austin says to her, a pleading gaze in his eyes, as he watches her pour some water into a glass.  “Right, Auntie Kim?  I can sleep over too.”

I glance at Justin slightly.

He’s scowling.  He hates this.

She’s in her forties, and has the grey in her dirty blond hair to prove it.  She’s a little taller than me, but heavy set.  She has those eyes though.  The same one’s as Justin and Davey, and I know their mother must have had them too...that they inherited them from her side.  The moment she stepped out onto her front porch, I knew this visit wasn’t going to be easy for Justin.  The boys were able to get out of the car, and...Austin ran to her.  He ran to her like she was his mother back from the dead, hugged her and cried into her so hard that I didn’t know what to make of the situation.  Davey hung back with us, and squeezed my hand tightly, obviously overwhelmed.  I knew his life had changed significantly and he wasn’t attached to his aunt any longer.  He depended on Justin and I for everything, and that was the way things should have been.

But Austin wasn’t going to give that part of his life up.  It was something I knew we would have to accept but I also knew that Justin wasn’t going to like it.  He’d changed himself to make Austin’s life better and in that moment, it seemed none of his efforts made the slightest difference.

The truth was, Austin loved being in Memphis.  I think I knew how much he missed it from the time he freaked because his Halloween costume wasn’t true to his hometown.  There was no denying...it was just a part of him, and would always be.  

It hit me that I didn’t know my Austin as well as I thought, and that hurt.  It hurt that I would never be able to hold a candle to Memphis and his Aunt.

I started to feel like I wasn’t good enough to adopt him, and the feeling has stayed with me all day.

“I’m not sure about that yet, darlin,’” Kimberly laughs gently as she slides the water over to Justin.  “Let’s see how the day goes, okay?”  She strokes his face gently.

“Kay.”  Austin smiles brightly and digs into his large piece of chocolate pecan pie.

“Well.”  She forces a smile as she takes her seat again, her eyes landing on me for a short moment before she looks back at Justin again.  “How was the flight?”

It’s small talk.  She’s been trying to make conversation since we sat down at the table together, but it’s been hard.  Justin hasn’t spoken much at all, except to ask her about the birth certificates.  She has them in her safe deposit box at the bank, and because it’s after three, we can’t retrieve them until tomorrow.  Justin forced a smile at the news, but I knew it pissed him off.  Hell, it pissed me off a little bit too.  She knew we were coming, why couldn’t she have gotten them before the bank closed?

It tells me she’s hanging onto the boys as hard as she can, and I’m praying so hard that she doesn’t try to make things more difficult for us.  The last thing we need is another problem.  We’ve been through too many, and now we’re trying to be happy.  I hope she can sense that, hope she can tell how in love we are, and how much we care about these two kids.

It’s killing him, being here with her.  He told me he doesn’t know how to talk to her, and now I can see that for myself.  She’s his mother’s sister, and I’ve been wondering just how much he’s reminded of his mother, by being around Kim.  It’s something we’ll discuss later tonight, I’m sure, but right now, we’re both sort of paralyzed, being forced to act professional and not give away too much about our private life.  Justin doesn’t trust her, I’m sure of that.

And it’s terrible, but I feel like I can’t trust her either.

“Quick,” I offer.  “No delays.”

Justin gives me a thankful look.

“That’s nice.  I never did like it much, flying.”

It’s deathly quiet.  

“When are you due, dear?”

I look back up at her, and swallow the piece of pie in my mouth before answering her.  “November twenty second.”

She nods and smiles, sending me her approval.  “Do you know what you’re having?”r32;

“We find out next week,” Justin speaks up.

I’m thankful.  

“How exciting.  I can still remember when your mother was pregnant with you, Justin.  Of course, she wasn’t married, and they were poor as church mice,” she laughs, almost in a bitter way.  “I’m glad you have the means necessary to take care of Abbey and the baby.  Your parents would be so proud of the way you’ve stepped up in the world.  God willing, this child will be brought up with some wholesome family values.”

Not a good subject.  It’s too soon.  Justin’s face is red.  He’s not ready.  It’s like...she’s talking down to him.  Talking about his parents like they were a couple of transients.  

I don’t understand her.  

“Excuse me.”  He clears his throat and slides his chair out, before walking out on us.

Davey looks at me for guidance.  He hasn’t said a word in all the time we’ve been sitting here, and I hate that he’s so confused.  I lean down and kiss the top of his head.  “Why don’t you go outside with Justin?” I smile a little.

He nods, and just...does it.

“Austin, you too.”

“No,” he scowls.  “I want to stay here.”

I narrow my eyes at him, and he sinks back into his chair slightly, remembering what that look means.  “Now, Austin.”

He goes.

Now it’s just me and her.

“You sure have them whipped into shape,” she laughs, as she begins to consume her piece of pie.  “I thought I was the only one who could get them to listen.”

I don’t share her amusement.  “Why didn’t you get the birth certificates, Kim?”

She stares at me.

“Why...why did you just talk to Justin like that?”

Again, she just stares at me.

“I mean, damn...he brought me down here to meet you.  He’s trying to make peace with you.  Do you know how hard it was for him to call you and ask for your help with the adoption?  He’s been trying to move past all of this for three years now.”

“We’ve all been trying to move past it,” she says to me bitterly.  “He ripped those boys out of my life.  I had no say in it.  I tried to do something about it, and when I did, he just shoved money at me.  I donated it to the church in his name.  Hopefully, his soul will be saved because of it.”

Wow.

“He knows he should have been more compassionate.  He was a different person then, but...he’s a good man now.  You need to give him a chance.  He...he needs you.”

“Justin doesn’t need me,” she scoffs.  “He never has, and he never will.”

“We’re getting married, and having this baby.  He has no family that can be there to share that joy with him, except for you, and...and you have the fucking nerve...the nerve, to sit here and talk to him like he’s committed some kind of crime.  His parents couldn’t help the way they were...”

“My sister could help how she was, but she didn’t want to.  She got together with that...that idiot, and dug herself a nice big hole she could never seem to climb out of. When she got pregnant with Austin, we forced him to get himself together, get a better job so he could provide for his family and marry her before they ended up with two children born from sin.  Of course...it was a little too late for Justin.  He always seemed to get left behind once the boys were born, and one day...he just up and left.  We were all better off I think.”

“How can you say that?  Why wouldn’t you want to love Justin as much as the boys?”

“He was a bastard,” she sighs.  “He still is.  It’s never been something that was accepted in our family, Abbey.  He was born out of wedlock, and that defied everything our family stood for.  It may not be his fault but...he’ll never be a real part of this family.  I’m just glad that the two of you will be married before you make the same mistake with your own child.”

My mouth drops open.  Seriously? Did she just say that?  “I...I can’t believe you.”  I stand up slowly, and stare at her.  “What the hell is wrong with you?”

“It’s God’s will,” she informs me.  “Marriage is a sacred thing, and when a baby is born out of wedlock, it defies everything He created and everything He stands for.  It’s unfortunate for Justin.  He’ll go straight to hell one day.”

This lady is a religious fucking fanatic.  Completely.  I wonder if Justin knows that or not.  I mean, he must, but he was trying to make peace with her for the sake of the baby and the boys.  It’s not happening though.  She’s just too crazy.  “You’re fucking sick.”  

I walk out on her.

Justin is sitting on the porch steps, Davey at his side, cuddled into him.  One of his arms is draped around his little brother, and his free hand is covering his eyes.  I see his body shuddering.  I know he’s sobbing.  This is...this is so bad.  I never counted on this.  I thought we were going to come here, that it might be difficult warming up to her, but that we would make progress. That Justin and Kimberly would start to warm up to each other, and that he would regain a part of his family that he felt he lost so many years ago.

But that’s just...that’s impossible.

I slowly sit down beside him, and watch him cry for a while.  I look around for Austin, but don’t see him.  I don’t get alarmed though.  I know this is his neighborhood, that he knows his way around, and that he’ll come back because everything he wants is right here.  “J.”

“Hm?”  He sniffles and looks over at me, smiling slightly and trying to cover up the fact that he was just crying.  “Hey, baby.”

He kisses me.

“She’s crazy.” I tell him.  “Completely fucking crazy.”

“Glad I’m not the only one who’s been able to figure that out,” he laughs.  “Which speech did she give you? The ‘my sister is a sinner’ or the ‘Justin is a bastard’ one?  She used to preach that shit all the time to my mother and father, but I never understood what it all meant until I was older.”

He knows all about it.  He never told me of course, probably because he didn’t want to get angry in front of me.  “A little of both, actually.”

He laughs bitterly.  “And did you see Austin in there?  It’s like...he’d rather be here, with her crazy ass.”

“He’d be crying for you after a week,” I reassure him.  “Trust me.”

“If she gives us an issue about the papers, it’s going to turn into a big mess.  Mac will have to come out.  I don’t want to put the boys through it.”  He ruffles Davey’s hair as he buries his face in Justin’s lap.  “Davey is freaking out as it is.  We can’t stay here.  He’ll get all catatonic again.”

I look down at the cracked cement for a few moments.  “This is my fault.”

“No.  You...you’re trying to do right by them.  I shouldn’t have trusted this...I should have brought Mac with me from the start.  I guess I just thought...that it would be okay.  That Kimberly would come around on her own.”

“I don’t think anything could get that lady to change,” I laugh.

“It’s how she was raised.  Things are different down here, Ab.”

I nod.

“Let’s find Austin and go to the hotel.”

“All right.”

We find Austin minutes later.  He’s across the street, standing on the front porch of a slightly larger, much more dilapidated brown house.  He’s crying.  I have no clue why.

“Wait here, okay?”

Justin hands Davey off to me, and I nod a little bit, as I watch him slowly make his way up the porch steps.  It takes him a few moments of gently talking to his brother, but Justin finally hugs him, and Austin hugs him back.  I’m not sure what’s going on, or what significance the house holds, all I know is...it means something to them, and right now, Justin is the only one who understands what Austin is going through, mentally.

He’s being so strong, even after that shitty episode with Kimberly, and I hope that Austin realizes how much Justin loves and needs him.

“Abbey.”

I look down at Davey, and force myself to smile at him.  “Yeah, baby boy?”

“Can you be our mom now?”

It makes me sob, and smile a little.  I crouch down to meet his gaze, and find that the tears are rolling down his face.  He’s going through something, something very difficult, and I know what he really needs right now is to be reassured that I’m not going anywhere, ever again.  “I can do that,” I whisper.

He smiles, and then, he lunges into me, wrapping his arms tightly around my neck, and I don’t hesitate to hug him back.  

And even though everything seems hopeless right now, I have a strange feeling inside of me.  One that says all isn’t lost.  That people can change, come to their senses.  Even someone like Kimberly.  I don’t see how it’s possible but...but if Justin could change this much, maybe Kimberly can too.

Only time will tell, and we don’t have much of it.

Sixty by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Hope you enjoy!
“Where will you go?”

I cram more stuff into my duffel, trying my best to ignore her.  I just want to leave.  I’m sick of this, sick of everything.

I don’t belong here anymore.

“Baby, please answer me.”

“Wherever.”  I zip the bag closed roughly and sling it over my shoulder, taking in a deep breath before I turn to face her.

My mother is standing in my bedroom doorway, hands shoved into her apron, her eyes filled with an empty, hollow sadness that I’ve only seen when she and daddy are arguing or when Aunt Kimberly pays us a visit.

She doesn’t want me to leave.

But I don’t care.

“What about the rest of your things? Don’t you want them?”

“Toss ‘em.”

I shove past her, and walk downstairs.  My father is in his recliner, holding Davey in his arms while he takes his evening bottle.  I know I’ll regret leaving my newborn brother behind.

He’ll never know me.

“You leaving then boy?”  My father doesn’t look up at me, but he knows I’m there.

“Yeah.”

“You leave this house...” He trails off and adjusts himself in the recliner before finally looking up at me.  “You don’t think about bringing yourself back, you hear?  You’re on your own.”

“Where ya going! Where ya going Justin?” Austin jumps up from behind the sofa.  He likes to play behind there with his toy cars and trucks, pretends it’s a Nascar race or something.  He’s five, old enough to remember me when I’m gone.

I’ll miss him most of all.

I can’t say goodbye to him though. If I do, I know he’ll beg me to stay.  We’re buds.  He loves playing with me.  I know he looks up to me even though I’m not much to look up to.  Hell, I can’t even read proper.  

But nobody has ever cared about that.

I walk out the door.  I stop once my feet hit the sidewalk.  It occurs to me that I have no idea where the hell I’m going.  Great.  I’m such a great planner.

I’m sure I’ll go real far wherever I end up.

“Justin!”

It’s my mother.  I start walking again.

“Justin...wait! Please wait!”

God...

I turn.  She’s running down the sidewalk, looking foolish in her slippers and apron.  I know she doesn’t care what she looks like though.  She’s never cared what other people think about her, not even when it comes to her own family.  She’s her own person, through and through, and I know why we have such a special connection.  She’s the only person who seems to understand me at all.

Now I’m leaving her.

But I have to leave.

“Momma I...I can’t stay here anymore.” I shake my head once she reaches me.  “I can’t.  There’s nothing for me.”

“I know.”  She nods gently and reaches into her apron, fishing something out of it.  “I...I want you to take this.”  She pulls my hand towards her and crams something into it.

I pull the paper apart, and realize it’s a hundred dollar bill.  My eyes widen.

It’s more money that I’ve ever seen in my life.

“I can’t...”

“Take it,” she whimpers and closes my fingers around the money.  “I’ll feel better knowing that you’ll have a warm meal tonight and for the next week.  Be smart, look at the prices of things.  Stretch it as far as you can.”

“O-okay.”  I don’t deserve it.  I’m deserting the family, acting like I don’t care about them.  I look up at her, and I know...

I know I’ll never see her again after this.

“I love you, mom.”

“Oh honey...”  She shakes her head and cups my face in her hand, as the tears fall down her face.  “I’ll never stop loving you.”

We hug for the longest time.

And then, I turn, and walk away from her.


I blink and the tears roll down my face.  I harshly wipe them away.  It’s the first time, ever, that I’ve recalled that memory.  It’s so clear, so fucking vivid.  That was the last time I ever saw either of them.  I forgot what it felt like to hug my mom, to hear her tell me that she loved me.  I wish like hell I would have been able to have a second chance with her.  But fate works in strange ways.  I have my brothers.  I’ll look at Davey sometimes and be able to see traces of my mothers face in his.  He has her nose, her eyes, and her smile.  Austin has her curly hair, just like I do.  The rest we’ve inherited from our father.  We all have his strong jawline, and we’re all tall just like he was.  

He’d be proud of the boys.  Maybe even me.

I’ll never know.

I trace my fingers over the letters carved into the gravestone.  They’ve kept up the gravesite well, but I send them a check every month to ensure that.  I brought momma fresh flowers today.  Lavender and lilacs with baby’s breath.  I think she would have liked them.  I had the lady put them into a basket and arrange them nicely, and made sure to position it right in front of her side of the grave.  I hope she can look at them.  I hope she can see me, or...at least hear me today.  

“Hey momma.”  I try to laugh it off but I only end up sobbing.  “How are you?”  I start tracing the letters with my finger again, starting with the first letter in her name. “Things have changed since the last time I was here...maybe you’ve heard or seen.  The boys are doing well.  They’re both so big...they’re growing up too fast.  I think they’re used to me now...and anyway, Abbey makes sure they’re taken care of.  She’s so great with them, she even reminds me of you a little bit.  I’m marrying her, and we’re having a baby at the end of the year.  I wish...I wish you could be here to help me.  I hope that I...I can be a good daddy.  I hope that I can make you proud of me.  Daddy too.  I...I’m sorry I never got to say goodbye.”

“I was wondering when you would come here.”

I look up in time to see Kim looming over me, before she bends down and puts her own bouquet of flowers in front of the grave.  Azaleas.  My mother never liked those.  I glare at her.  “She liked lavender.”

She shrugs.  “They brighten up the grave.”

I feel the anger burning hot inside of me.  Then, before I realize what I’m doing, I grab Kimberly’s flowers and chuck them across the graveyard.  “You don’t know what the fuck is best!”

I’ve gone a little nuts, I admit that.

But, she’s fucking crazy.  

We stare at each other for the longest time.  She’s slightly shocked, but more angry with me than anything else.  I just don’t care though.  I mean, I’m really pissed at her.  How could she do this to me? Embarrass me with all this shit? I thought she’d be done with the bastard thing, now that her sister is gone.  But she’s fanatical as ever.  My mom was the complete opposite of her, and it shows.  Religion was part of her life, but it wasn’t her whole life.  She didn’t live in fear of God, she lived to rejoice in her religion and never forced it on anybody else.  Me, I’m not a religious person.  I never have been from the time I was able to discover what it really meant, and I know if my parents were alive they wouldn’t hold it against me.

But I’m sure Kimberly would, if I bothered to get into it with her.

I won’t though.  I just want her to give me the paperwork I need so we can get the hell out of here.  Tomorrow I’m making a couple of speeches at those schools, then we can all go back to the city, and move on with our lives.

I will never, ever, come back here after this.

“You realize I could still fight you for custody,” she finally tells me.  “That attitude won’t get you anywhere.”
 
“You’re not getting them.”

“Don’t you think it should be up to the boys?  I mean, just look at Austin.  Look how he was acting at the house yesterday.  It’s more than obvious he’s not happy with you...”

“Austin is fucked up!” I yell it as I rise to my feet, and cross my arms sternly across my chest.  “He doesn’t know what the best thing is for him, and I wish I didn’t have to bring him here.  It’s confusing him, and Davey too.  They’re different kids when they’re home with me.  Kim...why...why do you have to be like this?  I know I was an asshole when they died, but I’m different now.  I was hoping we could talk and...maybe work something out so we could be more like a family.  But instead you’ve decided to back yourself up with the fucking Vatican or something.”

“You know how things are...”

“Are they really though? Or are you just bitter because my mom stood up to you and the family, and decided to live her life the way she wanted to?”

She’s completely silent. I know I hit her hard with that one.

“Your mother lived a life full of sin.”

“You were supposed to be her family.  You were supposed to accept her! But instead, you just...resented her relationship with my father, and you treated me like I never should have been born!  Why couldn’t you just help us? Why did you allow us to live that way...some weeks we didn’t eat, Kim! You...never offered to help.  Was I that much of a mistake?”

The tears are dripping down my face, and I don’t care.  It hurts so bad, remembering it all.  It’s been years.  I locked it all away, but standing here in front of her is bringing it all back.  I remember the hunger pains I would get when we had to go without food, how sometimes we would be down to our last piece of bread and my parents would sacrifice it so I could eat.  They would have done anything for me, as much as they could anyway.  I couldn’t see that before, but now, it’s so much clearer in my mind, thanks to Abbey.  I wish she was here, but someone had to stay with the boys.  She told me she wanted me to do this today, come here, and pay my respects, because she knows I never really did it before.  So I came, and have every intention on bringing the boys and Abbey here before we leave.

It feels good that I’ve done this, even though I’m so angry at the moment.

“Justin...”

“Was I a mistake!”

She looks down at the grass, and I hear her sniffle slightly. “No...I just...I didn’t understand, and maybe I still don’t.”

“You’re right.” I let out a bitter laugh.  “So why don’t you just do what you’re gonna do, huh?  I’m...I’m better now, Kim.  I’m finally healing after all this time.  I’m getting married, fuck, I’m having a baby, and I’m happy.  Like, completely happy.  I’ve never felt like this in my life before.  Ever.  I’m not going to let you destroy it.  I’ll fight you as hard as I have to.”

She presses her lips together, before putting her hand into her purse and fishing some papers out of it.  “Here.”

I take them from her slowly, and when I unfold them, I realize she’s handing me the birth certificates.  She’s not going to fight for custody.  I...I dont’ think she ever was.  She was angry and so, she said stupid things.  I guess I can understand.  I’ve done more than my share of that in the past.  “So we’re good then?”

She nods slightly.  “I...”  She sighs heavily.  “Justin, I’m sorry.”

I start to turn away from her, but then she calls out my name again, and I don’t want to, but something inside of me won’t allow me to walk away from her.  I feel a weird sort of energy stopping me in my tracks, telling me this is important.

That Kim might be arrogant and say stupid things, but...she needs me more than I know.

Why should I give her the time of day though?  Really?

Justin.

I’m hearing voices now?

Do this for me, honey.

I shake my head roughly.

“I’ve been thinking a lot about what Abbey said to me.  I know...I know you won’t have any family of your own at the wedding, Justin.”

I cross my arms.  

“If you’re willing...I’d like to be there for you, if only for a couple of days.  I know that...Vicki...would have wanted somebody there who cares about you.”

“You don’t care though.  You never cared.”

“I care,” she whispers.  “I may have a hard time showing it, but I do, and when you left, your mother never let me forget you.  She talked about you all the time, and part of me wished that I’d paid a little more attention to you when you were growing up.”

“She...she talked about me?”

Kim nods gently.  “Every day.”

I smirk a little, and my eyes fill with tears automatically.  “I thought...I thought she forgot about me.”

“Are you kiddin’? She kept a scrapbook of everything you did out in the city up until...she passed.  I might have it still.  I kept a few things before the house went up for sale.  She was so proud of you, your father was too.  But...they felt it was best that they let you be.  I think it was more for the boys’ sake.  They didn’t want them to get hurt.”

I guess I can understand.

But I just...I wish I’d known.  Maybe if I had I would have been able to spend some more time with them.  But...looking back on who I was, I know I never would have let them in.  I was too into myself, my money, and my career to give a damn.  Getting the boys was my second chance at having a relationship with my family, and Abbey was my gift, my saving grace.  Now that I’m better, I realize just how fucked up Kimberly is, and how she needs somebody to pick her up...save her.

Maybe she’s not that fanatical after all.

Maybe she just needs somebody to show her there’s more to life than following the rules.

I’ve had to learn that, the hard way.

“It’s um...the wedding...it’s August eighteenth.”

“I’d love to be there.”

I shove my hands in my pockets and let out a long breath.  “I’ll...I”ll have to talk to Abbey.  She’s kinda pissed still...”  I trail off and laugh.  “Really pissed.”

“I figured that.”  She steps towards me and I let her touch my face, then she smiles.  It’s  a genuine one.  Not fake, and for the first time in my life...I trust her.  “She’s a wonderful girl, Justin.  I knew how much she cared about you the minute she told me off, and I guess...it knocked some sense into this old fart.”

“I know she is.”  

She kisses my cheek.  “Try to come see me before y’all leave, okay?  I’ll fix a real dinner.”

I smile a little as she pulls away from me.  “That sounds good.”

“You look just like your father, but you have Vicki’s eyes” she tells me gently.  “They’ll always be a part of you Justin, and I know that...the boys need you to help them remember them.  You’re the best thing for them and I realize that now.”

I nod a little.

“I’ll see you,” she says.

Then she walks away.  I allow myself to sob once I’m confident she’s gone.  It’s so weird.  So fucking weird.  It’s like...I have a chance at forming a bond with that woman.  Abbey isn’t going to like it, and it will take a lot of persuasion to get her to understand the situation. The bitter, resentful part of me is saying that Kim doesn’t deserve another chance, too.  But deep down, I know I need her.  I need to have some part of my family back in my life, no matter how small.  I need to, so I can remember my parents, and help the boys to do it too.  It’ll be therapeutic, I think, keeping in touch with her.

And having her at my wedding, will make me feel, in a small way, that my mother is right there with me.

A breeze blows gently around me, the scent of lavender and lilac filling my nostrils.  It reminds me of hugging my mother as a small child, feeling her warm lips on my forehead.  I can hear her soft, calming voice in my ear, thanking me, and telling me how much she loves me.

And I know...I know that even though she’s not here with me, I can still get that closure.

I can still say goodbye to both of them, finally.

“Goodbye.” I crouch down and fix the flowers once more, before remove some leaves around my fathers side of the gravestone.  “I love you both, and I’m sorry.”

I feel myself smile after I say it.  

I know I’m going to be okay.
Sixty One by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone. It's been a couple of days, but this chapter needed to cover a lot so it took me longer to write it.  Hope you enjoy...there's a little surprise too :)
When Justin returned from visiting his parents grave that day, I could tell it had rejuvenated him, helped him to sort out some things in his head that he had never been able to deal with before.  We kissed and hugged for a while, and I was...I was so happy for him.  I was so happy that he finally found peace in his life.  When he mentioned that Kimberly had been there too though, my attitude completely changed.  I was angry at her for invading his private time there, and was ready to go back to her house and tell her off again.  Justin was quick to try and calm me down though.  He told me that...they’d talked, and reconciled a bit.

I couldn’t understand how.  Not after the terrible things she’d said about him and his parents.

“She just needs a chance.”  He held my hands tightly in his and gave me a pleading look.  “Hell, Ab...I know you’re gonna think I’m crazy too, but I want to give her one.  I want...I want her to come to our wedding.”

“Why the hell would you want her there!  Weren’t you listening to the things she said?  She’s crazy!  She’ll spoil everything.”

It was the first time I’d been angry, or yelled at him, since we’d gotten back together.  It made me feel rotten, but I couldn’t help myself.  There I was, nearly six months pregnant, and enraged at that woman because of her arrogance.  At that point, all I reallly wanted to do was go back to New York.  I knew Justin could get his lawyer to get the boys adoption sorted out after the wedding.  Of course it sucked, because I wanted to have that finalized beforehand, but I was willing to sacrifice it, if it meant we could get far away from his aunt.  But, all Justin seemed to want to do was make peace with her...give her yet, another chance.  I just...didn’t know why.  

Then he pulled some papers out of his pocket, and threw them down on the bed.  “Look.”

I did.  My eyes widened a bit.  He’d gotten the birth certificates.  “How?”

“She gave them to me.”

I sighed and pressed my lips together.  I knew he understood his aunt more than I ever would in that moment, but I still...didn’t want to deal with her.  I just didn’t trust her enough.  “Justin...”

“Please do this for me.”  He closed his eyes and pressed his lips to my forehead.  “It’s...I know it sounds lame but...this is what my mom would have wanted.  I know it.”

How the hell I was supposed to say no to him after that, I had no idea.  It was a very personal thing with him.  One that I mostly understood, but I was still so afraid that she was going to screw things up for us.  I made him promise to keep her in line, and he assured me that he would.  

The real test came when he went off to give a speech at a couple of schools the next day, and brought the boys with him.  Guess who I got to spend the day with?

Yep, you guessed it.

“It’ll be fine.”  Justin gave me a small kiss before I got out of the limousine.  “Just, try Ab.  Please?”  

I groaned, but when I felt his hand rubbing my baby bump, I couldn’t help but smile a little.  Little one was kicking at that moment, and everything I was aggravated about seemed to melt away.  “You’re so lucky that you fathered this baby.”

He laughed lightly.  “I know.  I’ll see you later for dinner.  If there’s a big issue, you know you can call me.”

I rolled my eyes.

The boys both kissed me goodbye, and then I was out of the limo, walking up to the small diner that I was meeting Kimberly at.  Justin said she wanted to go shopping with me, and I was completely dreading spending the day with her.  I was doing it for him though, because I loved him, and because I knew if the situation were reversed, he would be doing it for me without a question.

As it was, he was determined to get my family on our side once we went home.

I had no choice.

“Hey there.”  Kimberly smiled at me when I found her seated in a booth towards the back of the place.  “You’re just in time.  I ordered us some chicken and waffles.”

I barley smiled.  “Thanks.”

We ate in silence.  From time to time Kimberly would try to spark a conversation, but I wouldn’t get into it.  I was going through the motions, simply so I could tell Justin I did as he asked of me.  He never said I had to be nice.

“Abbey if you don’t want to do this I understand,” she eventually said once our plates were cleared and the check was brought to us.  “If...if you want, I’ll bring you back to your hotel.”

I sighed.  I knew I was being pigheaded, but I was just so angry then that I could barely focus on anything else.  “What made you have a sudden change of heart?”

She stared at me for a good long time, before she spoke again.  “I’m...I’m trying to do the right thing for my sister’s sake.”

“I thought your sister was a sinner?  I mean, that’s what you said, right?”

She nodded slowly.  “I may have, but...I guess Justin woke me up somewhat.”

“How so?”

“He’s just...a changed person.  I can tell.  He’s caring, and sentimental, just like she was, and I know that...he needs family to support him.  I can’t be so closed minded anymore.  I have to learn to be a more understanding person.”                       

It was like she wasn't even the same person I’d met just days before.  I sat there and tried to figure out how somebody like her could have changed her tune so quickly, but I figured she and Justin must have come to an understanding.  One that jolted her out of the arrogant mindset she’d lived in for so long.  I found part of myself wanting to give her a chance...the other part...just told me I was fucking insane.

But I’d been through worse.

Much worse.

Kimberly’s issues were nothing compared to Braeden’s and I suddenly realized I could handle her.  

I think Justin knew that too, from the very moment he decided to forgive her.

“I know...it would me a lot to Justin, having you at our wedding,” I finally said, managing to look her in the eyes.  “I don’t really know how I feel about it yet, but I won’t deny him what he wants.  I love him too much.”

She smiled then.  “I’ll try hard to make this up you, honey.”

“Don’t make it up to me,” I whispered.  “Make it up to Justin, and the boys too.  They’re the ones that need you.”

She nodded in understanding.

And then I sort of just...let go.  I knew it was the right thing to do and the only thing I could do, if I wanted to let Kimberly into my life.

We got into her SUV, and drove around the area for awhile.  She pointed out a few things to me, like the soccer field that Justin used to play on when he was young, the school the boys had attended, and the church where his parents eventually got married.  I asked her if she had gotten married there as well.

Then she got a little sad, and very quiet.

“Kim...”

“It’s...it’s fine,” she chuckled softly.  “I never married.  We were going to get married but...he passed before we could.”

It shocked me.  Justin had never told me that, and all I could think was that she and I had more in common than I thought.  “Can...can I ask you how he passed?”

“Byron had a stroke.  They said it was a brain aneurism.  It was strange because he was completely fine, and then the next day...he was dead.  It just hit him suddenly while he was at the office one day.  They said he never had a chance.  I...I don’t think I’ve ever gotten over it completely.  I try but you know men...most of them are only out for one thing.”

She laughed then, but I knew she was trying to brush the subject under the rug quickly.  I wanted to tell her about Braeden, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew it wasn’t the right time.  It seemed to pain her deeply...talking about that time in her life, and our relationship was so rocky, that I wanted to get onto a lighter subject.  Just knowing that we’d been through a similar situation in our lives gave me some peace of mind though.  I knew I would be able to relate to her better, eventually.

She talked me into going to Babies R Us with her, after she found out I hadn’t started planning for my baby shower.  I told her things had been too crazy with the wedding coming up and the boys to take care of.  Justin and I had decided to hold a Jack and Jill baby shower at the Plaza a couple of weeks before the wedding, rather than have a bridal shower for me.  We had everything we needed when it came to appliances and home goods, and since Justin was still in the process of getting his business off the ground, we didn’t even know where we would be in six months time.  If we moved, we would have more than enough stuff to take with us, so our wedding planner has made it known that we only want baby items and savings bonds for gifts.  

I hadn’t even thought about registering until we stepped inside the store.  It made me think of my mother, and how much I needed her.  She would have wanted to be there with me, I was sure...but she had no idea about the baby.  It made me cringe.  I knew she would go ballistic, but I didn’t want to focus on her then.  Kimberly was making an effort, seemed to know the things I needed most on my baby registry and was more than willing to give me her opinion.  We spent the afternoon there, and when the list was printed at the end, I realized how much she’d helped me.  Everything I knew I would need was on there.  I could picture Justin’s reaction.  I knew he would be more than relieved that I’d gotten that part out of the way.

“So you just call me if you think of anything else you might need.”  Kimberly nodded and smiled as we walked out to the car.  “I’ll let you know if you can do without it.  You don’t want too much baby stuff sitting in your house.  It takes up space.”

I knew Justin and I would always have more than enough space, but I didn’t want to seem arrogant then, so I simply smiled.  “Kim...thank you.”  I felt the tears on my cheeks and I hadn’t realized I became so emotional.  “I couldn’t have done this without you and...my mom and I have been having issues, so she hasn’t been involved so far with this baby business.”

“It was my pleasure, honey.”

We hugged.  It was a huge connection, and I knew things between us had changed very fast.  I didn’t understand, but I didn’t want to.  I just...needed her.  We all did.  Justin needed that link to his past, to his family, and the boys did as well.  I was thankful, and wanted to kick myself for being so angry.  It was a messed up situation all around...Kimberly and Justin’s history, and he was right, she did deserve a second chance.

So I gave it to her, with my whole heart.

“Oof.”  I put my hands over my baby bump as we pulled away from each other.  “It’s kicking me,” I laughed.

Kim smiled and put her hand over my bump, laughing gently when she felt the sensation too.  “Very rambunctious.”

I nodded.  “Exactly like Justin.”

Things seemed to melt magically into place after that.  Kim cooked dinner for us that night, and for the first time since in Justin’s life, he and his aunt actually had an enjoyable conversation.  The boys were happy, had a great day out with their brother, and I was completely happy watching them in their glory.  It was a different mood for us.  I felt like we were a real, complete family then.  The only thing left to do was get some paperwork signed off on.

And the next day, we did just that.  

The judge was nice.  He loved the boys, and he thought Justin and I were very good role models for them.  The boys jumped in the air when Justin and I were officially deemed adoptive parents.  I hugged the both of them tight to me, and soon enough, Justin joined in.  Afterward, we paid a final visit to the Timberlake’s grave, so the boys could get some more closure.  Davey sort of clung to us while Austin kneeled by the graves.  I could hear him whispering and I knew he was talking to them.  Justin and I let him take all the time he needed, and after, we encouraged Davey to walk up to the grave and lay the flowers be brought down in front of it.

I think it helped them.  I think it allowed them to heal more than they’d been able to originally.

It was the one of the happiest times we’d shared as a family.

We still have the wedding though, and of course, the birth.  Life will change again once all that happens, but I can’t wait.  I can’t wait to see what’s in store for us.  To call Justin my husband, and raise our...well...I’ll get to that in a minute.  To watch the boys grow into strong, independent young men.  It scares me how fast they’re growing up.  Austin is going into high school.  No longer is he my little man, dressed up as Peter Pan, begging me to play games with him or read him a story before he goes to sleep.  It’s a change for us, a hard one.  I have to get used to the fact that he’s not a little boy anymore.  Soon there will be girls, things he wants to do that I won’t want him to.  It scares me, but I know...I know I’m ready for it, and I know I’ll have Justin to get me through the rocky parts, no matter what.

At least Davey still has some little boy time left.

We were back in the city all too soon.  Kimberly promised to fly out when I was ready to pick out my wedding dress, so she could give me some “moral support.”  That was a good thing, because at that point, I still had no idea if my family was going to be attending my wedding.  Justin wanted me to make the call a few days after we got home, but I managed to stall him further as we laid in bed together one night.

“I’d rather get the ultrasound first.”
r32;“Baby.”  He slid himself closer to me, and caressed my face.  “What’s the point in stalling?”r32;
“I just...I’d rather know what’s going on first.”

“You can tell me that you’re afraid.  Hell, I don’t blame you.”

“I’m just...I don’t want to be stressed out for this doctors appointment,” I whispered.  “I don’t want to put strain on the baby.”

He was quiet for a moment, and I knew I’d hit the nail on the head.  “Okay, fine,” he sighed.  “But the day after...you’re calling them.  Deal?”

I kissed him.  “Deal.”

I knew I had to uphold my end of the bargain.  There would be no more excuses once the ultrasound was done and we knew what we were having.  Justin meant well, and I knew that, even though I was dreading talking to my parents.  He didn’t want me to have the baby and have regrets about shutting my family out.  After all, he knew better than anybody what it was like to shut your family out, and not be able to a second chance with them.  Deep down, I knew I didn’t want to go down that road, and he loved me enough not to let me.

“What’d I miss?”

Justin panted harshly as he raced through the door that day.  He’d been late for our ultrasound, but I wasn’t angry.  He told me that morning he had a lengthy meeting scheduled with some clients, but that he was going to do his best to either end it, or sneak out for a little while.  I prayed he could.  It was the most important ultrasound of them all, and I knew how upset he would be if he missed it.  When he entered the room, my smile flew on, and I kissed him passionately when he leaned down and smiled at me.  “The show didn’t start yet,” I laughed.

“Great.”  

He loosened his tie a little and pulled a chair up to the bedside so he could hold my hand and watch the monitor.  My doctor entered the room several minutes later, congratulating Justin for making it on time with a playful laugh.  Then she put the gel on my belly and flipped on the monitor.

“So we should be able to tell today, kids,” she smiled.  “But, if the baby is positioned the wrong way, we could have some issues.  I just want you to be prepared.  Today is more about making sure the baby is developing correctly.  Determining sex is more of a bonus than anything else.”

We both sort of nodded.  I knew Justin didn’t really care what the babies sex was, he just wanted it to be healthy.  So did I.  At the same time though, we were curious.  Would we end up with another boy? Or would we get the chance to embark on the adventure of raising a little girl?

After a few moments we could both hear the babies heart beat, and I felt Justin squeezing my hand a little bit, as the doctor moved the camera slowly over my baby bump.

“Hmph.”

Justin gasped, and so did I.  I wasn’t an expert or anything, but hearing a doctor say ‘hmph’ while examining a patient, probably wasn’t a good thing.  “What...what’s the matter?”

“It’s just...”  She leaned in closer to the screen and continued to move the device over my bump.  “I think I see something.”

“What? What is it?”

I looked over at Justin.  His face was pale, and I could see the beads of sweat forming on his brow.  He was concerned, and of course, I couldn’t blame him.  I was scared shitless myself.

“Well...” She laughed a little.  “I’m hearing what sounds like two heartbeats today, and right now I can see...that’s an arm, and that’s an arm,” she pointed out on the screen.  “But that there,” she pointed to another spot on the screen.  “That’s an arm too, and...yep...there’s a third leg.”

“Are you saying our kid has three arms and three legs?” Justin whimpered.

She laughed at him.  “Not quite, no.”

I leaned back into the pillows, swallowing hard, afraid, but glad that my child wasn’t a mutant.  “So...what...”

“I’m just very surprised because it’s so late in your pregnancy, but...now, I see a head...there,” she laughed, sounding more amazed than she had been before.  “I think you two have a stowaway on your hands.  It’s no wonder you’ve felt so much activity in the womb, Abbey.  You’ve had two in there the whole time.”

My mouth dropped open for a moment.  “Are you saying...”

She nodded and smiled wide.  “Twins.”

“Twins,” Justin gasped.  “Are...are you sure?”

“Here, come look.” She motioned for Justin to get up and peer at the screen more closely.  “Right there, that’s the baby we’ve been seeing...which...I’m positive is a girl, now.”

My heart skipped a beat.  “A girl.”r32;
Justin looked back at me and kissed me gently, before paying attention to the screen again.  “But wouldn’t you have known about this earlier?”

“Not necessarily.  In most cases it’s apparent early on, but in rare cases this does happen.  I had a patient who once gave birth to twins and didn’t find out until the birth date.”

“You’re sure they’re both in there?” I asked

She nodded.  “You’re having twins, guys.  Congratulations.”

“Whoa...”  Justin laughed and turned back to me.  

He was smiling, so was I, but I knew how nervous we both were.  We’d just adopted the boys, and were excited about taking on one more child.  Caring for two babies at once was an insane thought, but...I knew we could do it, because Justin and I were a team.  The more I sat there and thought about what the future held in store, the happier I started to become about it too.  The smile grew wider on my face as the tears rolled down my cheeks. “Babe...”

He kissed me powerfully.  “This is incredible, Ab.  I mean...holy crap...” He turned back to the doctor then.  “Do you know...do you know if it’s a girl or a boy?”

“Let’s see if it will come out of it’s hiding place,” she smiled and maneuvered her device around for several minutes more, as we sat together in intense anticipation.  “This one’s a little stickler...” She shook her head a little as she laughed.  “Oh, he’s turning.  I think I might see it.”  She peered closer still.  “Yes.  It’s a boy.”

“Oh my god.” I laughed and covered my mouth with my hand.  

“A boy,” Justin smiled.  “Man, Davey is gonna be mad.  You know he likes being the baby boy!”

“I can’t...I can’t believe this.”  I shook my head and sniffled.  “Twins.”

I felt Justin’s lips land on my forehead a moment later, and I pulled him down to me, embracing him in a long, warm hug.  There was no question in my mind then about telling my family about it.  It was too big to keep a secret, and I was so excited, I didn’t care if they wanted to accept us or not.  I was having twins with Justin, and our lives were going to take a huge, huge turn.  One for the better.

I couldn’t wait to start.

“I’d like to schedule you for a cesarian,” she told me next.  “Considering our little stowaway here seems to like to change positions so often, I don’t want to risk something going wrong with a natural birth.  Justin, your job is to monitor Abbey’s diet closely for the last part of the pregnancy.  I’m concerned that she hasn’t had all the proper nutrients, so I’ll be writing you a special diet plan that needs to be administered daily.”
 
“I can do that,” he said softly as he squeezed my hand again.  “We’ve been good at keeping up with the other one you gave us.”

“Good.  Let’s expect the birthdate to be about a week before the original.  You two weren’t planning on going away for a honeymoon were you?  I know you have that big wedding in the works.”

“Why?”

I could tell by the look on his face that he’d had something up his sleeve for weeks, and I guess I had a feeling all along that Justin was going to try to plan some special getaway for us after the wedding.  But the look on the doctors face was telling me that it wouldn’t happen.  My pregnancy wasn’t normal anymore, and I doubted I would be able to fly.  

“With twins there’s a lot more risk involved.  I couldn’t recommend her getting on a plane anytime soon, Justin.”

“Oh...”  He sighed heavily, and wouldn’t look at me.  “Well I...I did book something.  I guess we’ll have to cancel.”

I felt horrible.  I knew when Justin planned a trip, he went all out, and it was our honeymoon...more special than any trip we would ever take.  He was let down and I couldn’t blame him, but at the same time...there was nothing we could do about it.

“It’s okay,” I whispered to him.

He nodded.  “We’ll figure it out, baby.”

“Trust me, you’ll want this time to plan,” she smiled.  “It’s a big deal.”

She was right.  She didn’t even know the half of it.  The registry had to be completely redone, and I didn’t know how big I was going to get before the wedding.  It terrified me that I wouldn’t be able to find a proper dress, that I would look like a blimp in my wedding pictures.  Of course I loved my two babies growing inside me, but at the same time I didn’t want to look like a beast in my wedding pictures either.  I was so confused.

I really needed my mother.

And when we got home that day, Justin picked up the phone and dialed the number without a question.  The boys were still with Beth, as they’d been the whole day, so there was no excuse not to call then.  I just had to suck it up and do it.

My father had been at work but my mother was home, since school was still out on summer break.  At first, she didn’t want to know from me.  She told me that she was done discussing my decisions with me, and I couldn’t even get a word in.  I thought she was going to hang up on me.  If she had, I don’t know what would have happened.  I would have been too stubborn to call back.  I know that, and life would be much different than it is right now.

“Andrea.”

I looked up and saw Justin standing there with the other landline phone held up to his ear.  He had a determined look on his face, and I knew he was going to do whatever he had to, to make things right with me and my family.  I loved him for that too, but I knew it wasn’t going to be easy.  

“I’m not discussing this with you.”

“Well, you need to get over your issues with me.  Abbey is pregnant...and...it’s twins.  Nothing else matters.”

I didn’t think she was there for the longest time.  Justin and I stared at each other, phones to our ears, waiting for the inevitable burring of the dial tone.

“That’s an outrageous lie.”

“Do you want me to send you an ultrasound picture, mom? I’ll email you right now,” I told her, growing more frustrated every moment I was on the phone.  “We found out today that it’s twins.  Can’t you please...just understand what’s going on?  I...I need you, mom.  I need you and dad, and Hannah to support us.”

I felt Justin’s hand on my shoulder next, squeezing it gently because I’d started to sob.  

“I’ll fly you all out,” Justin offered, trying his best to make my stress level go down somewhat.  “Whatever you need, it will be taken care of.  We just want you to come out here.  It’s important to Abbey and...it’s important to me.”

She was quiet for the longest time.  I could picture her standing in our kitchen, leaning against the counter for support.  I knew she believed me, but she had no idea how to handle it.  It was a lot to take over the phone, but she hadn’t given me much of a choice.  

“Twins?”r32;
It was the only thing she could seem to say.

I glanced at Justin, and he smiled a little.  He knew she was starting to crack.  “Yes.  The doctor told us that I’m having a girl and a boy.”

“Oh my god.”

I laughed.  “Mommy...”

“We’ll pack and be there by the weekend,” she sobbed.  “I’ll have your father call you tonight, baby, okay?  I love you.”

“I...I love you too.”  I felt Justin squeezing my shoulder again as I cried into the phone and I latched onto his hand for support.  “Mom...I’m...I’m sorry...”

“No,” she whispered.  “I am.”

I could hear my sister in the background then, asking my mom why she was crying.  A moment later the phone was handed off to her, and Justin proceeded to laugh his ass off when I told my sister the situation.  She started to scream into my ear and we both had to pull the phones away from our heads.  

“OH MY GOD I’M GONNA BE AN AUNTIEEEE!”

She was always crazy.  I should have figured her reaction would have been that insane.

My dad called me later that evening.  Justin the boys and I were sitting on the couch, watching TV.  We’d told them what was going on over dinner.  Davey was excited.  He said: ‘oh boy, two babies!  I’m gonna be a double big brother!’

But all Austin could seem to say was ‘wow.”

I knew there was more he was thinking, but he wasn’t going to come out and say it.  I wanted to talk to him about it, but knew that conversation wouldn’t come easy, and I was so overwhelmed between the news, my family, and the upcoming wedding I guess I sort of...pushed the conversation off.  

I feel horrible about it now.

The conversation with my father went really well.  He was happy for me, and seemed to have a little more respect for my relationship with Justin.  He even talked to Justin for a little while, and when they got off the phone, he was smiling.  He told me that my father wanted to sit down with him again once he got into town, but that they’d seemed to reach an understanding in their short phone conversation.

Everything was working out.

Everything, for the most part, was going to be just fine.

Or so I thought.

But I forgot what happens when all of your friends and family come together at the same time.  In laws and friends tend to clash, and that’s exactly what’s happened.  No, nobody is ready to kill each other, not yet at least, but I can tell my mom and Kimberly’s opinions about how I should get married and handle the twins differ greatly.  It’s weird.  Kimberly has sort of turned into my mother in law ever since she’s been here.  Justin set her up at his place, and she has the run of the house.  She’s been keeping the boys in line for me so I can relax more and follow my doctors guidelines.  It’s fine with me, having her there, because we’re getting along better than ever and the boys love having her around.  My family is also in town, though.  Justin got them a few luxury suites at the Plaza and my mother and Hannah visit me nearly everyday.  My father has been popping in and out, since he’s been taking in the city with Mark.

I wasn’t expecting him, but Hannah insisted he come along.  She’s in love, so in love with him.  I can see it in her eyes, and I’ve been praying that nothing goes wrong.  That they’ll always be together.

It was weird seeing him.  Of course I was glad he made the trip but...there was something about him that had changed so much.  His eyes were dull, dark and sad.  I asked Hannah what was wrong with him.  She just sort of looked the other way and told me he was tired.

I know she’s full of it.

And I know...that it might have something to do with Braeden.  

I can’t lie.  I worry about him from time to time, but I’m so in love with Justin and so busy with everything, that I can’t focus on him.  Seeing Mark has sort of jolted me back in time a little bit, made me think about him, and what he might be going through, but I’m too afraid to ask him how his brother is doing.  I feel like it would be wrong at this point.  I’m getting married and starting a big family with Justin.  That’s all that should matter.

My mother and Kimberly tend to bicker whenever they’re under the same roof and in the same room together.  She’s very southern traditionalist and my mother is more of a modernist.  I’m waiting for some kind of huge argument to break out.  Justin has asked me to call him if it’s about to happen so he can get home in time to see it.  He’s such an ass sometimes, and I’ve punched him in the arm too many times this month because of that.  He laughs, though.  I know he just loves pushing my buttons.

It turns him on.

Right now, he’ll take any kind of foreplay he can.  We used to be able to touch and grope each other a lot more, but now with family here we can’t exactly do all that raunchy PDA.  Sometimes he’ll wait until nobody is paying attention, and yank me into the bedroom.  He’ll strip me down naked, grab my boobs, bite my neck, and touch me everywhere...but I never let it last long.  It’s uncomfortable having him on top of me because I’ve gotten bigger, and I’m also deathly afraid that somebody will burst in on us and see the blimp I’ve become.

“I can’t wait to get you in bed in after the babies are out,” he’ll say.  “That’s gonna be our honeymoon, you know? We’ll get the boys out of the house for a weekend or something, and just...fuck everywhere.  On the kitchen island, on the coffee table, in the movie theater...”

“Justin!”

“Do you know how many times I’ve jerked off this week?  You’re so damn...hot, all pregnant with my babies.  I can’t handle it anymore, Ab.  This is killing me.”

It always gets me to give in and let him touch me for a little while longer, and once in a while...if I’m up to it, I’ll give him a little something extra, even though it kills my back, getting on my knees like that for him.

I can’t help but feel bad for him, of course.  It’s been a very long time since he’s had his way with me, and he’s been so damn patient too.  I know I’ll have to reward him.

It’s going to exhaust me, I’m sure.

Lace and sparkles.  I should have known better, but she just got so excited when she handed the dress to the consultant and I couldn’t say no.

But now I can.  I think I knew that from the moment the consultant clipped the dress closed in the back.

“I really like that one.”

I look over my shoulder and narrow my eyes at her.  “You’re kidding me, right?”

My sister shakes her head quickly, telling me how much she hates it.

Yeah, I knew that.  I hate it too.

“But look how sparkly it is!” Shawna claps her hands together and grins.  “It’s so pretty!”

I tried to get in touch with Charlene again.  I asked my mother if she could talk to Charlene’s mother about all of this too.  I guess she called, and I guess her mom said she would do her best to get her the message, but I still haven’t heard from Charlene.  It hurts.  While we may have fought, and she may have said ridiculous things to me, I know I still want her to be my best friend.  I want her to be here to watch me get married, and have my babies.  I want her to be my maid of honor.

But it’s not happening.

Out of desperation, and because Justin suggested I do it because there’s no time to find somebody else, I’ve deemed Shawna my maid of honor.  It’s working out.  She’s very organized and enthusiastic about our wedding.  I love her a lot.  She’s a great friend...

But it’s just not the same.  I know Justin can tell how I feel too.  He has Trace to be his best man, and even though I’ll never understand their friendship, I know that Justin is extremely happy that his friend will be there to support him on his wedding day.

“You look like a Barbie doll,” Kristy smiles.  She’s fourteen now, the same as Austin, and I made her a bridesmaid as well.  I know she’s really excited.  It’s her first wedding, and since I know she’s had a crush on Austin for the past two years, I’m sure she’ll try her best to flirt with him all night long.

“I don’t want look like wedding day Barbie though,” I laugh.  “I want to look like me.”

“I really liked the ball gown,” my mother sighs and gets a dreamy look in her eyes.  “It was like Cinderella or something.  You looked like a princess.  You should put it on again.”

“I hate ball gowns, mom.  Come on.  I look like the stay puft marshmallow man enough as it is with this belly.”

She shrugs.  “Well, you wore one the last time.”

I glare at her.  Really, mom? Today?  You’re going to talk about my old wedding dress?  The one I only bought because it was the most decent looking for the price, and we had no money?  She’s still a little bitter, but I knew that going in.  Part of her, I know, still can’t believe I’m getting married for the second time.  The smallest part of her still hangs on to my non existent relationship with Braeden too, but I won’t hold it against her.  It’s amazing that she’s here at all, and I’m not going to push my luck.

We have a lot to work on, her and I.  I guess we have all the time in the world to do it too.

But not today.

Kimberly gets up from the sofa and laughs a little as she studies me in the dress.  “Who’s suggestion was this?”

I laugh.  “Shawna’s.”

“Shawna isn’t allowed to pick anymore,” she giggles.  “You look like you just got dipped in glitter.”  She stands behind me and smoothes her hands over my figure.  “You need something simple that will flow, and help conceal your belly.”

“A chiffon flowing dress,” the consultant speaks up.

“That’s what she said when we first walked in the dressing room,” I chuckle.  “You all needed to see every other type of dress in the place, though.”

“Let’s put her in a couple,” the consultant, Miranda, suggests.  “Then you can all see what it looks like on her.  It doesn’t have to be plain.  We have many lovely embellished looks that will suit her nicely.”

They all agree.

Thank God.  That’s the first time it’s happened all day.

We’re at Kleinfeld’s.  Not my first choice of dress shops, because it’s the most expensive in the entire city, but Justin insisted I come here, and only here.  I guess he came and talked to the owner when we got back to the city, and naturally, he was assured I would be treated with the ‘utmost care and patience.’  Usually they limit their appointments to two hours, but for me...they’ve given me the whole day to find something.  When I do, they’ll have a week to alter it.  That’s not much time at all, but because Justin has forked over a hefty ‘short notice fee,’ they’ll do whatever I want them to do.

“This has some beading, but it’s not too over the top,” Miranda smiles as she holds the dress up for me to see.  “I know you don’t want to be the glitter girl.”

I chuckle slightly.  “If you think it will make me look less like a blimp, I’ll try anything at this point.”

She helps me into the dress.  We talk about Justin, how he’s handling all of this, and I tell her he’s been calmer than I would have ever expected.  He’s at work today, handling business as usual.  I know he has to.  Because of the twins, he’s had to start putting things together much faster at the firm.  He’s decided to step down a couple of months after they’re born, rather than wait the full year.  He told me some investors have been in talks with him about putting half the money down to start his business venture, and he thinks it will be a good move for us.  I asked him where the business will take us, and he said he’s not positive, but most likely someplace down south.  He wants to deal with the oil and gas industries, I guess.  That’s as much as I know, or want to know, because all that financial stuff bores me to tears.

“Texas is a possibility,” he told me last night.  “I didn’t mind it there so much did you?”r32;
I narrowed my eyes at him.  

“Well, it’s not going to be...like before.  I mean, we’d be living in one of the metropolises, far from Killeen, like Dallas or Houston.  I’ve been looking into neighborhoods and schools.  They have this great place in Dallas for Davey.  It comes highly recommended.”

The fact that he didn’t even consider pushing Davey into a regular school touched my heart.  Justin had completely changed when it came to that.  He knew Davey would do much better in a special school, and was determined to find the best one for him.  No longer was his ego a deciding factor, and I’d never loved him more.  “I trust you.”

He smiled and kissed me softly.  “Once the babies are all set, we’ll go down and take a look around? Okay?”

I agreed.  It was the right choice.  Texas was a lot closer to my family than New York City, and if we moved there, it would be much easier for my parents to come out and see the babies.  That was important to me, and I knew it was important to Justin as well.  

“Oh Abbey.”  Kimberly says, as Miranda helps me to walk out in the dress.  “That’s lovely.”

I stare at myself in the mirror, for the first time in weeks, feeling slightly slimmer.  The dress is absolutely perfect, hides everything I want it to, and still makes me look like a beautiful bride at the same time.  

“I love that,” Shawna speaks up next.  “The beading is nice.  I’d make it more sparkly but...you know me.”

I laugh a little, and then, I glance back at my mom.  She’s the one that I want to impress.  I want her to love the way I look.  I think that’s every daughters wish for her wedding day though.  “Mom?”

She gets up and comes closer to me.  “You...”  She pauses and sighs.  “You look beautiful, honey.”  She holds my face in her hands, and caresses it gently.  “I’m...I’m sorry.”

I hug her.  “I’m not mad at you.  I love you.”

“I love you too, baby.”

I can hear everybody clapping as we hold each other.  This is my dress, I know it now.  It feels right.  It feels...magical.  I can see Justin waiting at the end of the aisle, smiling proudly as I walk towards him, wearing this dress.  It’s his taste for sure, which makes it that much better.  “I’ll take it!”

Miranda claps along with everybody else.

That’s one major event down.  Now we’re getting down to the nitty gritty.  Our Jack and Jill is this weekend, and two weeks later we’ll be exchanging our vows.  I feel the butterflies already, mixed with the kicking and moving of my babies.  

My life is nothing like I ever expected it would be in a million years, but as I stand here, staring back at myself, I realize I would never have wanted it to be different. Certain things had to happen to bring me to this point, some bad, some good, but in the end, I know I’m going to be the happiest I can possibly be.

And that’s all I’ve ever asked for.
Sixty Two by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
This chapter was another doozy! Lol! Hope you enjoy!

Most guys in my position would be overwhelmed, and hell, I guess I might be, but I’m good at keeping my emotions under control.  Having the career I do has taught me a lot, but the most important thing I’ve taken from my Wall Street experience is learning how to divide my time, and keep my cool in the most stressful of situations.  Having kids is no joke, I know that, and everybody I’ve talked to about the situation has told me the same thing.  ‘You’re in for the ride of your life, Timberlake,’ they say.

I know I am.

But at the same time, I wouldn’t give this up for anything.  I feel so blessed to have the life that I do, that I was able to adopt my brothers, and that I’ll always be able to take care of them.  But most of all, I feel blessed to have Abbey in my life, after so much hardship, and pain.  We’ve made it.  We’re here, on the brink of our future, waiting for it to begin.

I can’t wait.  I can’t wait to marry her, have my children with her, and love her for the rest of my life.

Like I’ve said before, I’m a big sap now, a big old pushover when it comes to my family.  Nothing they ask of me is too much, and everything they do makes me smile like I’ve just received a huge bonus at work.  I love them more than money.  I love them more than anything in this world.  While I’m sure being a father to four kids will have its downfalls, and frustrations, I know I’m ready to take it all on.  Abbey and I are a team, and we’ll get through the late night feedings, the weeks of no sleep, and everything else that comes with having twins.

Twins.

I mean, damn, I’m still not over the shock of it, and I wish we could have been a little more prepared, but that little guy...he wanted to play games and hide out on us.  Now I feel like Abbey and I are scrambling to prepare for two babies.  Originally we weren’t going to make a full nursery, because I knew we would be moving early next year, and there would be no point remodeling.  Instead, we were going to put a crib in the bedroom and tend to the baby that way.  But after much discussion after the ultrasound, we decided that we can’t have two babies sleeping in the bedroom with us.  It’s big enough, yeah, but we’d never be able to sleep.  I’ve hired a couple of contractors and an interior designer to get a nursery completed before the birth.  It’s given me a little peace of mind, and Abbey gets excited more everyday when they show her something new they’ve added to the room.  

Kimberly has been great too.  She’s become an asset in our lives, and our bond is getting stronger all the time.  I flew her out here a few weeks ago to help out.  I thought we would be tearing each other apart by now, but surprisingly enough, we get along really well. The boys have been happier because of her presence, too.  She gives them that sense of home and family that I know they’ve both missed, and I wish...I wish I hadn’t been so arrogant in the beginning.  I wish I could have seen things from her point of view.  Of course, that’s in the past now.  I can’t change that, but I can move forward, and build a future with her.  That’s what I’m doing, and I’m not going to stop either.  In fact, once I make a firm decision on where I want to start my business, I have every intention on getting her a place near us, so she can visit whenever she wants to.  She and Abbey get along so well now, that I know they wouldn’t mind seeing each other all the time.  It’ll be good I think...

It’ll be like having momma back, in a small way.

Abbey’s family has been supportive as well.  Her dad has always been cool.  We sat down a couple of days after he arrived here, and talked for a long time.  Abbey means so much to him, and his main concern was for her happiness.  He told me he liked me, but that a part of him still felt she was rushing things with me.  I reassured him that she wasn’t, that Abbey was happy, that we were in love and couldn’t wait to start our family.  He seemed to believe me, because he hugged me quickly and gave me a hard pat on the back after that, calling me a “good man.”  I told Abbey.  She smiled so wide, and I knew she was reassured that he accepted us and our babies.

Her mother has started warming up to me little by little.  I’m hoping by the time we’re married, she’ll treat me like a regular member of the human race.  It’s not so much that she doesn’t like me now, I think it’s more that she’s overwhelmed with the way I live.  I guess I should have expected it.  They’ve been staying in the royal suites at the Plaza Hotel.  I can’t remember much it costs to stay there.  The cost has been included in our wedding bill, but I know it’s definitely more than they’re used to.  Her father has seemed to go with the flow, Hannah too, but her mom is kind of awestruck with all the things I’ve been giving them. It’s kind of cute, actually.  The look on her face reminds me of Abbey’s when she really surprised or excited.

She keeps asking me how much it’s costing to put them up in those rooms, tells me that it has to be too much and they’d be fine staying at the Holiday Inn or the Marriot.  I scoff at that kind of crap.  They’re family...my family now.  Timberlakes get the best.  I told her that.  She rolled her eyes and told me I was ridiculous, but I could see the tiniest hint of a smile on her face.

I knew that tiny smile.

Abbey had shown me the same one from time to time, and I knew...I knew that Andrea had grown a soft spot for me.  

Hell, she might even love me, and that’s fine, because I love her like I’ve known her for years.  I want to, because she’s going to be my mother in law, the grandmother of my children...the only one they will ever know, and I want to have a good relationship with her because of that.  I think she gets it. She knows about my parents, and I think it’s made her a little bit more aware of how important her and her husband’s roles are in our lives.

Hannah is important too of course.  She’s like the little sister I’ve never had, and I’m glad that we’ve finally been able to hang out more without being crucified by Andrea.  Since she’s been here, I’ve taken some time out of my hectic days to show her around the city a little bit.  Abbey and the boys came with us the first time, but after that...it was just me and her.  We took a couple of afternoons and I showed her Wall Street, the Natural History Museum, and the Modern Art Museum, acting like a dork and explaining everything I knew about art and history to her whenever I got the chance.  She seemed to dig it actually.  She’s very intellectual, book smart, wants to be an archeologist, even though she told me it probably isn’t a realistic idea.  I told her that she can be anything she wants to be, because I’d built my career and fortune out of a hundred dollars and a job waiting tables.  She has a dream college in mind, a place that specializes in the things she loves, and she’s been accepted.  There’s no scholarship available to her though, and she told me that her parents would never be able to afford the tuition.

I haven’t said anything yet of course, but I’m determined to pay her way through college, so she can go to the school of her choice.  It’s important, and part of me still wishes I could have gone, but that wasn’t in the cards for me.  I was fortunate to meet Trace, who was brilliant and taught me everything I knew, showed me I had a great mind before it went to waste.  Lately, I feel I was given all this fortune to do some good deeds.  I was selfish for too long, and it’s time to repay fate for everything I’ve been given.

We bonded so much that she felt she could talk to me by the end of that first week, like a sister would talk to a brother.  I wasn’t expecting it.  Braeden was the furthest thing from my mind, and the last person I wanted to think about so close to my wedding and the birth of my children, but that day...Hannah seemed to have something weighing her down, and with her parents and Abbey preoccupied with so much, I felt like it was my duty to try and talk to her.  I knew it would reassure Abbey...

But I sort of wish I hadn’t tried so hard now.

“What’s up?”  We were at Serendipity, nursing a couple of hot cocoas.  “You seem stressed.”

She shrugged as she stirred her cocoa around with her spoon.  “It’s...it’s nothing.”

“C’mon.” I smiled for her.  “You can tell me.  I know everybody else is kind of preoccupied.”

“It’s just...Mark,” she sighed.  “He’s a mess.”

I’d only said hello to him once or twice, despite the fact he’d been staying with Abbey’s family.  It was slightly awkward for her and I...having him around, but at the same time we knew that he was Hannah’s boyfriend and we weren’t about to deny her access to him during such a critical family time.  He kept to himself mostly, so I let his presence go.  But then, in that moment, I knew I couldn’t anymore.  “He’s pretty quiet.”

“He doesn’t want to be here.”  She paused and rubbed her face with her hands.  “I just...I forced him to come because...because things have been so bad at home for him, and I didn’t know what he would do if I left him alone with his parents.”

“Because of Braeden?”

She looked back up at me then, her eyes filled with tears.  “Y-yeah.”

I licked my lips nervously.  “How’s all that going anyway...with him?”

“I’m not supposed...supposed to say anything.  My parents don’t even know.”

I knew it was really bad, whatever it was.  It was bringing Mark down, and because of that, it was turning Hannah into a mess.  By that point I loved her so much, that I would have done anything to make her okay again, and I knew my duty was to suck up my feelings about Braeden and listen to her.  “You can tell me,” I told her.  “It’ll stay between us.”

I wish I hadn’t said that, because it’s been killing me inside, knowing what I know, ever since.  I can’t bring myself to tell Abbey.  I have know idea what she would do.  It’s not that I’m afraid she would leave me...I’m just afraid that it would stress her out, and put strain on the babies.  

“He...Braeden...he sort of lost it a few months back,” she sobbed.  “He pushed his mother through a glass door.  She got hurt really bad, and then...then he tried to kill himself.”

I had to take a long breath, knowing how close Abbey had probably come to being the one who got hurt like Barbara did.  I thanked God that it hadn’t happened to my fiance, but at the same time, I felt horrible that it happened to anybody.  I thought Braeden would have been better after he hit Abbey, gotten himself some help, but all he seemed to do was plummet even further downhill.

I felt a little responsible.  Responsible because he’d broken down and did what was best for Abbey, and I hadn’t stuck around long enough to make sure he would be okay after she was gone.

“Jesus.”

“He’s...he’s okay but...but his parents won’t speak to him, and they won’t allow Mark to either. I know they had a phone call, and then I snuck a letter in the mail that Mark wrote to him, and he one wrote back, but they haven’t spoken since.  This has been so hard on both of them.  I mean, we all just got Braeden back, you know?  Then this all happened.  I mean, I’m happy for you and Abbey.  You guys belong together, but...Braeden...it’s like he hasn’t had a chance to be happy, at all.”

I nodded.  

I felt like I needed to do something for the guy, to repay him for manning up, and realizing what Abbey and I shared was special.  But...there was so much going on in my own life, and Abbey...I knew if I told her then, she would have been so confused.

I felt like my hands were tied, that there wasn’t a thing I could do.  It made me feel like shit, but at the same time, I knew I couldn’t dwell on it for long.  I had more pressing issues to deal with.  “Could you do me a favor, and not tell Abbey about this right away?”

“I wasn’t going to tell her at all.  I...I know what would happen.  She would want to go see him.”

She was right, but that idea didn’t scare me.  I knew that no matter what, Abbey and I loved each other.  She wasn’t going to leave me again, and I wasn’t going to let her go.  Braeden was out of the picture as far as romance went, and I knew I was mature enough to eventually handle a friendship between Braeden and Abbey.  “If she needs to see him, I’ll stand by her,” I promised.  “You don’t have to worry about it, Hannah.”

She whimpered a little.  “I just wish that Mark could see him.  That’s all he wants.  He barely got to spend any time with Braeden when he came home.”

I stared at her for a long while after that.  “Maybe he can, soon.”

“How?”

“After all this wedding stuff dies down, I’ll set it up.”

“But his parents...”

“Leave that part to me,” I smirked and reached out for one of her hands.  “They don’t need to know what’s really going on.”

“Why...why would you do that?”

“Let’s just say I owe the guy a favor.”

She smiled a bit, and once we finished our drinks she hugged me a for a long time.  I hugged her back, stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head, promising her I would make things right, and that she could always count on me.  She was happier after that, a lot more carefree, and I knew she would be able to get through the wedding without seeming too stressed out.  It was a good thing too, because I didn’t want Abbey to start asking questions.

Our Jack and Jill shower was a big success.  Everybody at the Plaza was wonderful with keeping things organized and flowing smoothly, considering we were a party of three hundred and fifty.  Abbey and I stood at the front of the room at one point, with Trace and Shawna at our sides, oohing and ahhing over the dozens of gifts we received.  Thankfully, word had gotten out about the twins a couple of weeks beforehand, so people were able to buy both boy and girl items.  My colleagues and friends are great.  They really thought of everything that we might need or want for the babies.  Dennis and Trish got us this awesome double stroller you can use when you go jogging, and that’s a huge plus for me.  I’ll be able to take the babies out when I go for my runs and leave Abbey in peace for a little while.  I pulled him aside once all the gifts had been given out and thanked him profusely, before asking him something that I was planning to all along.

“You think you’re gonna stick with Goldman for a while?”

He shrugged.  “I mean, yeah.  You’ve taught me a lot.  I know a ton of stuff about this business that I didn’t know before.  I’m comfortable there and I’m able to take care of my family.”

“So how would you feel about taking over for me?”

His eyes went wide and he stared at me for a long moment.  “Justin...”

“Look you’re the best guy I have, and the only one I would feel comfortable handing over the business to.  If I don’t pick somebody, the board will have to vote, and I won’t feel right leaving if I don’t like who is replacing me.  You’re a great guy, Dennis.  You’re brilliant with finance and you’re honest.  The rest of the crap you can learn, but those things...they’re hard to come by.”

“I guess...I guess I’ll talk to Trish about it.”

He smiled.  I knew he’d take it, and it made me feel good to know I’d be doing something good not only for the company, but for a great friend as well.  “Great.”

The time between the shower and the rehearsal dinner was mostly spent getting the house ready for the babies.  Lucinda, Kimberly and the Feldmans were a great help, finding places to put all the gifts we were given.  Abbey and I found ourselves overwhelmed with boxes and bags filled with baby items.  They weren’t all from the shower.  People would send things to the apartment constantly, and my great room was overflowing with pink and blue packages.  It was driving me nuts.  It was like...my place wasn’t big enough and that was so crazy because it was one of the biggest penthouses in Manhattan.

I knew we were going to need a bigger house, but I was just...a little afraid of pushing the issue on Abbey.  She knew we were going to move eventually.  We’d already discussed moving to Dallas or Houston.  I’ve been in talks with some investors who are interested in backing my business.  I’m really great with oil and gas stock, and they feel they can profit better with me than they can with Goldman.  It’s a great opportunity for me, to get my stand alone firm up running, but it means we’re going to have to move...soon, before the new fiscal year begins.

It’ll have to be like...February, and that’s crazy.  

I haven’t told her that part yet because I’m still not firm on the date.  I don’t know how she’ll take it, because the babies will only be a couple of months old, and the boys will be halfway through the school year.  That’s who I’m most worried about, my brothers...uprooting them now when they’ve already made a solid foundation with their schools, the city, and their teachers.  Davey will deal with the change better than Austin, I’m sure.  Austin has made friends, and...Kristy is his best friend.  It’s going to be difficult to make him go through another change, to make him lose his friends like this...

But I’ll be going through it too.

Trace won’t be around anymore, and that sucks, considering our friendship has only just gotten back on track, but I know he wouldn’t move with me even if I asked him to.  He has a career of his own now, and he’s happy working for Trump.  Happier than he’s ever been.  He also has a new relationship with Shawna that I know he’s trying his best to keep together too.  Once again, our lives have changed.  We’ll see each other now and then after the move, but...it won’t be the same.  We’ll start to grow apart as new people come into our lives.

It’s going to be hard, adjusting my life without him completely.

But I’m doing this for the good of my family, and my career.  Having my own business means setting my own hours and that means more time with my children and Abbey.  That’s my goal, but in order to be successful one has to make sacrifices, and I know that from experience.  Hell, I’m making sacrifices right now and...I’ll continue to make them, even on my wedding night.

We won’t be having sex, and since I have no idea how Abbey will feel once we’re able to get into bed at the end of the reception, I’m not expecting to be physical with her at all, and...oh yeah, that honeymoon...it ain’t happening either.

This is all my penis’s fault.

I had an amazing ten day cruise to the Mediterranean all planned out, with excursions, shopping...dining...the works.  Now Abbey can’t fly.  I’ve tried not to be bitter about it, and tried not to whimper when I called the travel agent to cancel.  I know there are more important things than a trip, it’s just that losing a week alone with Abbey blows considering once the babies come I have no idea when we’ll get a moment to ourselves.  I’m trying to make the best of this.  Kim has already offered to take the boys off our hands for a week after the wedding, and I’ve been considering going to my house in the Hampton’s to simply get away.  It won’t be the most exciting time we’ve ever had, but if anything it will be relaxing, and I know that’s what Abbey needs most.

“Well?”

“You’re gonna pop a boner.”

I laugh and shake my head as I go back to fixing my tie in the mirror.  “That’s kind of crude to say on my wedding day.”

“Well, it’s true.”

I look at him in the mirror and smile.  Trace is standing in the doorway, hands shoved in his pockets, looking happier than I’ve seen him in a long time.  He’s changed.  My wedding and the fact that I’m having babies with Abbey has made him...nicer? I guess that’s what he is.  Nicer and a hell of a lot more understanding.  That’s good, because I want Abbey to get a long with him.  I’d hate to leave New York City with them still on awkward terms.  Visits would be a disaster, and that’s the last thing I want.  “So...did you guys talk?”

“After she finished chewing my ass out for sneaking in on her...yeah, a little bit.”

“And?”

“I think we’re cool,” he smirks and rubs the back of his neck.  “We understand each other more now than we ever have, and that’s saying a lot I guess.  I have a lot of respect for her.  She’s stronger than most women I’ve met.”

I chuckle.  I’d ask him more about what they talked about, because I really am curious about it, but right now...I can’t focus on the subject.  My stomach is in knots, and I’m sweating as I fumble with my tie, because...I’m getting married in twenty minutes.

I’m scared as fuck, and I thought sending Trace to sneak a look at Abbey in her dress would set my mind at ease a little, but all it’s really done is set me more on edge.  I know she’s going to look amazing, and I’m...I’m just going to be a dumb
ass in a tux.  

“Here.”  Trace steps up to me, his small smile unwavering as he starts to pick apart the knot I’ve put my tie in.  “You’ll never get it fixed that way.”

I stand there, breathing slowly in and out as I let him fix my tie.  He’s the only one that could possibly calm me down right now. The only one who’s...been there for me through it all, and the only one I want in this room with me right now.  

“You scared?”

I suck in my bottom lip and back away from him a little as he finished with my tie.  “A little.”

“Liar.  You’re shitting yourself right now, admit it.  I don’t know how you’re going through with all this man.  I mean...getting married and having kids in the same year? Damn.  Kristy is plenty for me. I’m good with the wife situation.”

I shrug, and chuckle a little.  “I love her.  So much.”

“I know you do.  You’re different than me Justin.  You have a heart and..I didn’t get that for the longest time, because... I don’t think I’ve ever had one.”

I look at him, and there’s an understanding in his eyes.  He’s trying to tell me what a dope he thinks he is in his own way, and that he’s sorry about all the trouble he’s caused.  I’m okay with it.  I’m past it now.  I’m just thankful for the way he is now.  “You have one,” I tell him.

He finishes with my tie and stands back, seemingly satisfied.  “When it comes to Kristy I guess I do.”

“What about Shawna?”

He smirks slightly.  “What about her?”

“Well, you’ve been together a few months now.  Where’s it going?”

“We’re just having some fun.”

I give him a funny look.  I recognize the phrase, because it’s exactly what I said to him when he first accused me of having genuine feelings for Abbey.  I know it means he’s starting to feel something...serious, for this girl, and I’m happy for him.  He needs that.  He needs stability, and somebody to care about him.  “I’ll be flying out for you wedding in a year or so then?”

“Don’t push it, Timberlake.”

“What are you doing! You need to be at the alter!”  My wedding planner hollers it as she storms into the room and grabs my arm.  “Right now!  Abbey is ready!”  

“At least you know she’s not going to ditch you,” Trace says from behind me, as I’m led out into the hallway.

“She couldn’t,” I laugh back at him.  “She’d never make it far with that waddling thing she’s doing right now.”

“If I tell her you made fun of her waddle, you’re gonna be in trouuu-ble.”

“Don’t make me bribe you.”


“Trace, would you please get to your place!”

My wedding coordinator, god love her, is really fucking high strung.

“Do you have the rings!” I call after him, as he starts to run off.

“Pretty sure!  Good luck out there!”

Asshole.

The wedding coordinator positions me at the alter, and wishes me a calm, but firm, good luck as she hurries away from me.  The place is fucking packed.  My side goes all the way to the back of the hall while Abbey’s is about two thirds of the way full, and they’re all fucking staring at me.  Some of these people I’ve only met once...some, not at all.  It’s making my stomach turn, even though I’m normally very good in front of a massive crowd of people.  Today is the exception.  Today...I’m getting married and my professional side is nonexistent.  My emotions have completely taken over, and I’m just a big old wreck.

Jesus.  I’m getting married.  Me.

The music starts to play.  Pachelbel’s “Canon.”  I picked it.  I think it describes exactly how I am, artsy and shit.  Given the venue, it’s the perfect music to set the mood.  A few more moments pass, and then I finally see the doors open.  Trace and Shawna are the first couple to walk out, smiling, and holding hands as they walk in that ‘left together, right together’ thing that the wedding coordinator made us all practice last night at rehearsal. I know Trace feels like an ass right now. He’s the most uncoordinated person ever.

I can’t wait to see him dance somewhat sober.  It’ll be a first.  

Austin and Kristy follow Trace and Shawna, and I smile at my brother.  He grimaces slightly.  He hates this formal stuff, but he’s behaving himself for my sake, and...I guess the fact that he gets to hold Kristy’s hand isn’t killing him either.  I know he has a weak spot for her, and it’s cute.  Dennis and Trish come next, followed by Hannah and Dennis’s oldest son Brian.  There’s the ushers and bridesmaids.  Davey is last, carrying the pillow for the rings, and Trace makes sure to place them on top of it when he gets close enough.  Thank goodness that went over well.

There’s nothing left to do now but wait.  

Wait for her.   

I close my eyes, let the music take over me for a few moments, recollecting the past two years, and how much my life has changed.  I see myself before Abbey came into my life, the type of person I was, and now...I can’t imagine ever being like that again.

When my eyes open, I see the reason why I’ve been able to change, standing at the end of the long aisle.

She takes my breath away, completely, and all I can do is stare at her as everybody in the hall rises to their feet.

She’s relaxed as her father leads her down the aisle, his face slightly red, his eyes glossed over with tears.  She picked “Forever My Love” by the O’Neill Brothers to walk down the aisle to, and I could never really picture how it would come together here in the hall before this moment, but now I know she made the right choice.  It’s calm, not too traditional, and not so far fetched that people would lose their focus on her.  She’s all smiles as she draws closer to me, looking perfect in every way, and I feel myself becoming short of breath.

Then I feel the tears on my face.

I can’t stop them, so I just smile.

She’s just...such an amazing woman, and I’m trying so hard to understand why I’m allowed to be with her right now.

Then she’s right in front of me, and her father places her hand in mine.  She smiles, and gives it a squeeze, whispering “I love you” gently before we turn and prepare to take our vows.

And I know why.

It’s because we were made for each other, right from the start.

Sixty Three by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Okay so...lots going on in this chapter. i've tried to make it easy to follow so it won't be confusing but...sometimes that can't be helped.  There was just so much to cover so I hope you guys like it :) Happy reading.

Justin and I had a wedding fit for the royals.  The place was packed, the food was out of this world, and the flowers and decorations were exquisite.  Our cake was six feet tall, I’m serious.  It was made by some famous cake designer that works with the Plaza for every wedding they put together.  I just stared at it when I saw it for the first time.  I thought a cake was just some flour and water mixed together and decorated with frosting, but it turns out...there is quite a market for immaculate wedding cakes.  

Apparently, ours was the most elaborate one made this year.  That’s Justin for you.

“You better not cram that into my face,” I whispered to my new husband as we watched the kitchen staff put the cake into place on the floor.  “I feel like we shouldn’t be eating it.  It probably cost as much to make that as it will to put my sister through college.”

“But you like the way it tastes,” Justin smirked as he wrapped his arms tighter around my body and kissed my neck.  “Remember when I brought you to that cake tasting?”

“That was for this monstrosity?”

He laughed at me.  “Did you think we were getting two wedding cakes?”

“Knowing you? Yes.”

I was out of the loop when it came to my wedding, and I fully admit to that, even now.  Being formal and fancy was never my thing, it was Justin’s, so I left a lot of the decisions up to him, even though I swore I was going to be more involved with the details of our wedding.  When the news of the twins came though, my thoughts were so jumbled together I guess I stopped caring.  I was glad that Justin didn’t.  It gave him something to do, and that was good, because I knew the fact that we were having twins made him more of a nervous wreck than he let on.  He would bring things to my attention sometimes, give me a choice between two or three items, and once I told him what I liked, he would communicate that to our wedding planner.

Surprisingly enough, the whole thing worked out really well.  I guess I could call my wedding flawless...I mean, it was.  The details were perfect and the ceremony and reception went exactly the way I knew they were supposed to.  There was a certain person there that would make my wedding day a little less than perfect, but I did my best to push through the issues and enjoy it as best I could.

Trace, surprisingly enough, wasn’t the cause of those issues.

For the first time, he was a friend.

My bridesmaids had just finished getting me into my dress and zipped me up, before our wedding coordinator burst in and dragged them all away.  Well, except for Shawna.  She was the maid of honor, and I guess her duty that day was to simply hang around me, get me anything I needed, and make sure I didn’t lose my mind before it came time to take my vows.

“Shit, I’m out of blush.”  She huffed as she dug inside her overly large makeup bag.

“I think we’re good with blush,” I said.  Shawna, while I loved her, had this tendency to overdo it when makeup was involved.  “Really.”

“Just a little more.”  She looked back at me and nodded.  “I’m positive my spare is in my other bag.  I’ll be back in a jif.”

“But...”

She ran out.


I sighed and laughed heartily to myself.  I knew she was excited, so I wasn’t going to complain, but I did need her then.  I was nervous, had no idea what to expect when I walked down that aisle.  Yes, I knew I’d done it before...but my wedding was so different when Braeden and I got married.  It was out of necessity, a very small ceremony followed by a tiny reception.  I knew every single person that attended.  This time, I was the bride at the wedding of the year, or, so I’ve been told, the century.  There were about fifty people in that hall I knew personally, and the rest were mostly people Justin had invited...clients, investors, rich entrepreneurs, and people he worked with.  I had no idea who they were but they sure knew who I was, and it made me nauseated that they would all be staring at me, studying my every move.

I tried not to care what they thought about me...some unknown girl who had the most powerful finance man in New York City wrapped around her finger.  Of course there was more to me than that...and Justin loved me as much as I loved him, but people never focused on that sort of thing, especially because I was pregnant.  I was convinced that if Justin were a Hollywood celebrity, our scandalous relationship would have made the cover of every kind of tabloid magazine, because I read most of them and knew they thrived on those kinds of stories.  I knew people were talking about me, trying to get me figured out before the wedding started so they could flash me a fake smile when they congratulated me later on in the evening.

I wasn’t looking forward to it, and in all honesty, I wouldn’t have had the reception if Justin didn’t care about it so much.

Luckily for me, somebody else stepped in to calm my nerves, just as I was about to lose it.

“Got time for the best man?”

I whirled around, gasping because Trace was standing there, staring at me in my wedding dress.  Part of me knew Justin had conned him into coming to see me.  He’d been curious about what my dress looked like for weeks, and tried everything under the sun to get me to give him clues about it’s design.  I kept telling him no of course, that it was bad luck, and he would pout until I planted my lips on his.  “He’s not supposed to know what I look like!” I yelled, pushing him out of my dressing room and trying to slam the door in his face before he managed to stop me by putting his foot in the doorway.

“C’mon Ab.  You really think I’d tell him?” He laughed.  “I love watching him squirm as much as you do.”

I allowed the door to swing open again, and just stood there, staring at him.  I knew he wasn’t lying but...at the same time, it didn’t change the awkward feeling that had begun to form inside of me due to being alone with him.  He’d been there for me when I needed him the most, yeah, but we didn’t talk about it.  We didn’t talk about anything...just continued to allow our relationship get more and more awkward.  It was stupid, and I knew that, but I’d been entirely too overwhelmed that day, and making peace with Trace hadn’t been at the top of my priority list.  “So...what do you need?”

“Can I sit?” He pointed to one of the chairs near the vanity.  “I’d...I mean, if it’s not too weird, I’d like to talk you for minute.”

I was shocked, because he seemed so calm and willing to talk to me.  It had never happened before in the three years I’d known him.   “Why?”

“I guess I should have expected that.”

I moved back into the room, and continued to stare at him.  After a moment, he seemed to feel comfortable enough to take that seat he’d asked me about.  “Look, Abbey...I know I’ve been a jerk.”

I sat down too, but I didn’t say anything.  I could barely look at him.

“You went out on a limb for me...when nobody else would.”  He bowed his head and looked at the floor for a moment.  “I was so messed up, that I couldn’t appreciate it...and I didn’t know how to act around you for a really long time.  So I guess...I guess I wanted to say thank you.  I’d still...I’d still be in there, if it wasn’t for you, and I have no idea what would have happened to Kristy. There’s been a lot of times I haven’t acted like it...but she really does mean everything to me.  When I got out of prison, she was the only reason I pushed through the bad shit.”

“Well...Kristy is important,” I nodded. “I’m glad you realize that now.”

“Yeah.”

I pressed my lips together and willed Shawna to walk back through the door.  I was nervous and uncomfortable around Trace, and the fact that I was about to walk down the aisle wasn’t helping me to calm down.

“I’m sorry, Abbey.  I...I really am, and I hope...one day, you can respect me.  You’re a good person and I know you’d be a great friend too.”

My eyes snapped back to focus on him.  He’d actually said it.  It was a fuckin’ miracle, but of course I wasn’t going to let on how much I appreciated him finally coming around.   There was still that tiny part of me that was so bitter about the way he’d treated me and the things he’d said in the past.  Of course, I hated to live in the past, but out of everybody involved in my life and Justin’s life, nobody had been so adamantly against our relationship like Trace.  He was coming out of it.  I could tell Shawna was molding him into a better person, into somebody who cared about things other than money and business.  That day he’d brought me to the hospital without a thought had hinted at it.

But right then, it was so obvious that he was changing for the better.

Changing like Justin had changed for me so long ago.

“I never thought you’d say all that.”

“Yeah.” His cheeks turned pink and he looked down at his shoes.  “Well, my ass has been getting whipped into shape more than usual lately.  I’ve realized some things and...I know that I should be considering you one of my close friends.  I mean, if you’ll let me.”  

I stood up then, and sighed.  I wanted to yell at him and tell him he’d been too much of a dick.  But I knew what he endured, and the things he overcame in his life.  He deserved a second chance too.  “We’re friends,” I nodded.  “We’ll always be friends, okay?”

He leaned over and gave me a light kiss on the cheek then, before smiling at me.  “You look incredible, by the way.”

I blushed.

“Good luck.  We’ll talk soon,” he smiled, and left me as I was.  

It was awkward, but...I knew things between Trace and I were going to be okay after that.  He accepted me and I accepted him.  Recently, Justin asked me if he could be Godfather to both the twins, and I didn’t hesitate to tell him yes.  If...if something happened to us, there’s nobody else I would want to step in more than Trace.  He was there for me the day I fainted, and it more than proved how responsible and caring he’d become.

There’s still the question of who will be Godmother though.  I’m still not sure, and Justin understands.  All things considered, if Charlene and I were speaking, she would be the person I would pick, hands down.

But we’re just not.

She didn’t show for the wedding, and that was hard for me to accept.  It meant she really didn’t want to be involved in my life anymore, and while that hurt me a great deal, I knew I couldn’t focus on that during my wedding and reception.  There were too many people, and Justin was so happy that I didn’t want to bring him down.  So I focused on him, on us, on our closest friends, family, and of course the boys too.  I knew Austin hated getting dressed up, and he pouted for most of the morning and during the ceremony because he was forced to.  Once the reception came around though, he seemed to lighten up.  He stuffed his face with cake and ice cream, and goofed around with Kristy and the other kids who had come to our wedding, making sure to include Davey so he wouldn’t feel left out.

And that gave Justin and I the chance to simply...enjoy being married.

Justin and I danced to “For Once In My Life,” redone by Vonda Shepard, for our first dance.  He held me close to him as I rested my head against his chest, and it took me back to the night we first danced.  I remembered the magic of him, breathed him in deeply and smiled when I felt his lips land on the top of my head.  We didn’t talk much.  He just kept telling me that he loved me, and I kept telling him that I loved him back with a soft smile. From time to time his hands would slide to the part of my dress that covered my baby bump, and he would rub it gently as he smiled at me.  Then we would kiss, and everybody would applaud.  

My daddy and I danced next.  I’d selected My Girl by the Temptations, and we took the opportunity to talk to each other as we danced.  He kept telling me how proud he was of me, that he and mom couldn’t wait for the babies to arrive, and he was happy that I’d found a great guy.  He didn’t mention Braeden, and I knew he was mostly over that situation.  I hugged him close to me, and gave him a kiss on the cheek.  I knew that things were going to be okay between me and my parents again...finally.  The best part was, they accepted Justin too, began to treat him like a son...like they’d treated Braeden so long ago.  

Justin and Kimberly danced tto Rascall Flatts My Wish.  It was great that they could do that, and I could tell there was a lot of emotion going on between them during the song.  He held her close, and I could tell she was sobbing on his shoulder from time to time.  It was a nice moment.  One that they’ll always remember.  

Then dinner was served. I didn’t drink of course, but Justin did more than enough of that for both of us.  People constantly tapped their crystal with their flatware, egging us on to kiss, and at one point, Justin was starting to do more than just kiss me in front of our guests.  I blamed the alcohol, and took his two champagnes away from him, but it still didn’t stop him from groping my leg from underneath the table.  I was just thankful he stopped trying to grab my chest in public.

Trace stood up during dinner and gave a really nice speech about his friendship with Justin, telling all the guests the first time they met was on the street at a bus stop, and all he could think was that Justin was a dumb country bumpkin.  It got us all to laugh, but I knew it was an emotional moment for my husband and his friend.  There were tears in Justin’s eyes as Trace went on to talk about how much he respected him as a colleague but most of all, how he was proud to be his friend, proud of the man he’d become, and couldn’t have been happier that he found me, because I was an amazingly strong woman.  He said it was because of our relationship that he was learning to let go of his fears, and finally fall in love with someone.

Then he told Shawna he loved her.

I almost fell out of my chair, and Shawna just sat there, smiling at her boyfriend.  There was a lot more to what they had going on than I realized.  Behind closed doors, I was certain she’d been helping him overcome some serious shit.  She never discussed it with me, though.  She liked to keep their love life private, but that was what Trace needed.  They were the perfect match, and I began to wonder how long it would take before Trace got up the guts to marry her.

I knew that when we did move, Justin would be able to do it with the peace of mind that Trace would be okay.  That he would move forward, learn to balance his work life with his family, and finally love something other than his money.

We cut the cake, and Justin made sure to cram it into my mouth, getting frosting all over my face and down my dress.  I got him back though.  I got him back really good, and he was laughing hysterically as he flicked some frosting at me and started to pick the cake out of his hair, making sure to give me a sloppy kiss afterwards.  Trace hauled him off with Dennis and a bunch of other men after that to have a cigar session, and I was a little thankful.  The night was winding down and I was itching to get out of my dress and into something a little more comfortable, considering I was covered in cake.  

I was walking down the hallway towards my bridal suite, being stopped every few moments to be congratulated by people I barely knew.  I smiled, thanked them, but was short because I was tired, sweaty, sticky, and uncomfortable.  I was almost where I needed to be too, but then...I saw him, sitting there on a bench, his head in his hands, and I couldn’t help but stare.  Mark had been an unexpected guest right from the beginning, and I’d been avoiding him on purpose.  Every time I laid eyes on him, he seemed to want to be around the family less and less.

That moment was no different. That moment was the worst I’d seen him in the couple of weeks he’d been in the city.  Something inside told me he needed a friend, somebody who understood him then, and because I knew Braeden wasn’t around for him, I thought it might have been my duty to console him.

Now, I know I should have stayed out of it.

“Hey.”  I sat down beside him and stared at him for a moment.  “You okay?”

It took him a moment, but he finally picked his head up out of his hands and looked back at me.  “I’m just waiting to leave.”

His expression was lost, fearful, and lonely.  I recognized it all too well, because Braeden always had a similar look on his face when he came back from Afghanistan.  I could tell something was plaguing him, tearing him apart inside.  “You look like you could use a friend right now.”

“Maybe...but we’re not friends, Abbey.”

I was slightly taken back.  I’d known Mark since he was nine years old, even babysat him when I was in middle school.  He’d always respected me, even loved me, and I loved him too.  “I know things...have been hard...”

“You don’t know the half of it.  You don’t know, shit!”

I just stared at him.

“You know why I’m here?  I’m here because I didn’t have a fucking choice.  My parents don’t want me around anymore, so when Hannah asked me to come here with her, they practically pushed me out the door.”

“Maybe...maybe it’s better that you’re here.”

“Maybe it would be better if you hadn’t screwed my brother over.”

I sighed heavily.  “Mark it...”

“You left him!  He gave you everything he had and you just...you just gave up!”  He rose from the bench harshly and crossed his arms, the tears streaming down his face as he stood before me, waiting for him to tell him something, anything, that would make the situation okay again.

“You don’t know what went on.”

“Yes I do!”

He was screaming at me, and I looked all around, trying to ensure Justin wasn’t near bye.  I knew he wouldn’t get it, and part of me wanted Mark to get the things on his mind out of his system without complications.  “Braeden has problems...a lot of them.  He needed to get help more than he needed me around.  That’s why your mom stayed behind for a while.”

He shook his head harshly.  “You really don’t know do you?”

I cocked my head slightly.  “Know what?”

My heart was racing.  It wasn’t the right day to hear what he was about to tell me, but in that moment, he didn’t care that I had gotten married a few hours ago.  He was oblivious because he was drowning in his problems and emotions.  “He pushed mom through a glass door,” he whimpered.  “She needed all kinds of stitches and now they’re saying she’s going to need surgery too.”

I covered my mouth with my hand and felt my eyes grow wide.

“He slashed his wrists,” Mark said next.  “He almost died, and that’s...that’s on you, Abbey.  You left, because you wanted to marry that rich asshole and have an easy life, instead of helping Braeden get past everything.  I hope you’re fucking happy now.  I can’t even talk to him...my parents won’t even let me do that.  He has nothing now, and neither do I.”

I sobbed pathetically, clutching my baby bump as I sat, hunched over on the bench.  I could feel him standing in front of me for a few more minutes, his eyes digging into me, causing me to feel even guiltier about the situation.  I knew...I knew Braeden was going to have some trouble after I left.  Hell, he knew it too, but the things Mark told me were just...unbelievable.  Terrorizing his mother...trying to commit suicide...

I didn’t know what I could do.  I had written him a letter when I first found out I was pregnant, but he hadn’t written me back, and I figured he was doing it with my best interest at heart.  But in that moment, I knew he ignored me because he was dealing with too much, and wouldn’t get the right people to help him.

I started to believe Mark.

I started to feel completely responsible, that I didn’t deserve to be happy with my life.

“What’d you say to her?”

I looked up and Justin was there, staring Mark down like he was some kind of criminal.  I didn’t want a problem.  I just wanted him to take me by the hand, and get me out of there.  But the look on Justin’s face told me he heard a good part of the conversation, and he wasn’t going to let Mark get away with the awful things he said to me.

“I told her the truth,” Mark said darkly.

“Yeah, well I know the truth, and nothing about it is Abbey’s fault.  You have a hell of a nerve. The lady is pregnant and this is our wedding day.  I’ve accepted you being here, you know? I could have told you to leave...but I respect your brother, so I did it for him.”

“You respect my brother?” Mark laughed.  “That’s funny, since you didn’t seem to have a problem breaking up his marriage.”

“You don’t know what happened,” Justin shook his head.  “I know things suck right now...Hannah told me what’s been going on.  I’m not oblivious, Mark, and I’m willing to help if I can, but I won’t tolerate you talking to my wife this way. None of this is her fault.”

I was surprised Hannah had confided in him, and even a little angry that she’d kept something so detrimental from me.  But I knew how Hannah was.  She was completely dedicated to Mark and if he told her to keep something a secret, she normally would take the information to the grave.  I knew Justin had probably pried the information out of her, as they’d been spending a lot of extra time together.  It had probably been overburdening my sister and I was a little thankful she’d been able to confide in Justin, but I still wished I would have found out before the wedding.  I wish Justin would have told me, but I knew why he didn’t.  He was scared of my reaction.  

“Braeden is alive and he’s still gone,” Mark snapped.  “You think you know how I feel, but you don’t have a fucking clue.”

He turned and stormed back down the hall.

“Mark!” I rose to my feet too quickly and felt myself getting a little dizzy, and started to fall backward before Justin caught me in time.  “Mark! Wait!”

“Let him go,” Justin whispered as he wrapped his arms around me.  “Just let him go.”

I cried into Justin’s chest harshly after that, and he stuck by me, kissed my face and stroked my hair as I let it all out.  It made me weaker and more tired than I wanted to be, and I knew it wasn’t good for the babies.  Justin had to sit me down at one point and ask one of the waitstaff to bring us some water.  We sat there together while I sipped it, silent, each of us knowing how horrible Braeden’s situation really was.  For any other couple it would have been awkward, but not for us.  Justin understood Braeden more than he ever should have, and instead of being angry...he seemed genuinely concerned about what happened to him.  

I knew why I loved him, and was so thankful that he was there, that we were married, and that I’d always have him by my side.

I prayed that Braeden could somehow find the same goodness in his life, that he wouldn’t have to be tortured for the rest of his days, no matter what he’d done to his family and friends.

I reach out and touch his face, my fingers gliding over the light beard that’s recently grown in, and I feel myself smile.  He’s trying something new, but he looks good.  It makes him look slightly older, and I know that’s what he’s going for with this new business he’s starting up.  Even though people don’t treat him like he is, Justin is still so young.  So young to have accomplished so much, and I guess he fears that people won’t take him as seriously in another place if they realize just how young he is.

We’re in South Hampton again.  While it’s not the season for it, we both knew it was one of our only options to get away for a week after the wedding, since I’m not able to fly.  We’ve been here three days, and it’s been nice so far.  There haven’t been any distractions, or loud noises, or whiny boys pouting about how unfair life can be.  I miss them of course.  Davey cried when we left because he didn’t want us to go, but we both did our best to assure him we would be back in a week and that he would have fun with Aunt Kimberly and Austin.  I could tell it didn’t satisfy him, but I wasn’t about to cancel.  These twins are coming and when they do, Justin and I will have zero time to ourselves between tending to them and taking care of the boys.

We’ve been trying to be intimate.  It’s not as hard as we thought it would be.  Justin and I decided to be a little creative and looked up ‘sex and pregnancy’ on the internet the afternoon we arrived here.  Surprisingly enough, there’s a ton of information available about having sex...what to do and what not to do when you’re having multiples.  Just to be safe, we called the doctor, and told her about the things we read.  Naturally, she laughed at us, but told us we would be fine, but to be careful not to “overdo it.”

We were able to have sex that same night, and it seemed to unleash this fire in Justin that he’d been holding in since the third month of my pregnancy.  Any position we could do it comfortably...it got done.  I knew I would be exhausted afterwards, and I was, but I put up with it for him.  He deserved it for being so patient, and I felt I had to do something, because he’d started to act like some kind of dog, groping me when he felt nobody was paying attention.

“Morning.”  He smiles at me once his eyes flutter open, and he pulls my hand away from his face so he can lace his fingers through mine.  

“Hey.”

“So...”  He laughs lightly and pulls me down to him, so he can wrap his arms around me.  “I was doing some thinking last night after you fell asleep.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah...” He looks down at my bump and smiles softly, caressing it with his free hand for a few moments before his eyes float up to meet mine again.  “We haven’t been having much luck with that baby book.”

He’s right.  It’s a pity too, because the thing is at least a thousand pages, but no matter how often we’ve sat together and gone through names, we can never seem to agree on anything.  Nothing sparks our interest, and we don’t want to name our boy Justin.  He says it’s too common or something, and that our son will carry on the family tradition by his last name.

He’s going to be such a great daddy.  Hell, he already is when it comes to the boys.

“So, what were you thinking?”

“What about Mason?”

I consider it for a moment.  “Mason,” I say with a small laugh.  “It’s a little different, and it’s not too hard to spell.”

“Yeah, but do you like it?”

“I think it’s a good possibility.  It depends what we name her, I guess.”

“That was the next thing I was going to ask you about.”

“You thought of that too?” I laugh.  “You were busy last night, baby.”

He shrugs.  “I just...I know we weren’t going to name him after me, but I was just thinking that maybe we can have one kid that’s named after a family member.”

I stare at him, slightly confused.  “What is it?”

“I thought that maybe, she can be...Victoria.  You know, after my mom?”

His expression is filled with such a desperate hope that I’ll say yes, and I can tell he wasn’t just thinking about this last night, but probably for a good amount of time.  He was too timid to ask, probably afraid that I wouldn’t want our daughter be named for his mother.  But he’s crazy to think I would say no.  I’ll never know her, and neither will she.  This way, she can grow up, knowing she was named for an amazing, independent woman that loved her family more than anything.  “I think that’s a great idea.”

He smiles.  “Really?”

“Yeah.”

He smiles and kisses me, long and slow, running his hands up and down my slightly deformed body, touching every part of me, and telling me how much he loves me.  We make love the best we can, and he collapses against me afterwards, nuzzling his nose into my neck as he pulls me closer to his naked body.

“Victoria and Mason,” I smile as I turn slightly in his arms and look into his eyes.  

“Sounds good, right?”

I kiss him gently.  “I think it sounds perfect.”

“You hear that guys?” Justin says as he looks down at my bump.  “You got yourselves some names now.  Don’t say I never did anything for you.”

I laugh and stroke his face gently.  “You’re a nerd.”

He just laughs and gets a dreamy gaze in his eyes.  “I can’t wait to meet them, Ab.  I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited about anything before.”

Neither have I, and in three months, we’ll finally be introduced to our Mason and Victoria.

Then the real challenge begins.

“They’re kicking.” Justin pulls my hand down so I can feel it too, even though I already can.  “They like our decision.”

“How do you think the boys are going to react?”

He shrugs a little.  “They’re little fighters.  You already know how excited Davey is.  He talks about them all the time.”

“Yeah, but what about Austin?”

He’s silent for a few moments.  He knows how Austin is, and how the babies are confusing him.  “He’ll pull through it. He’s just...afraid of the change, but you know...we’ll make sure he’s okay.”

“But we’re going to be...busy.”

He licks his lips and won’t quite meet my gaze.  I know it’s something that’s been on his mind too, but he doesn’t want to focus on this particular issue.  He’s happy simply lying here, talking about the babies like we don’t have any other issues.

“Justin...”

“I’ll sit down with him.  I know that I’ve needed to for a while now.”

“Do you think it will help though?”

“It’s Austin.  I can usually break through to him when we talk.  We’re like the same person.”

I know he’s right, but I just...I just have the worst feeling that it’s not going to be so simple this time.  “I hope so.”

“Hey.”

I look back at him.

“I’ll handle it,” he promises me gently.  “I don’t want you to worry about it.”

“I have to.  He’s...he’s my son now.  I don’t want him to feel neglected and if we move, that’s going to be hard on him too.  The babies and that combined...Justin...it scares me what it could do to him if the move happens.”

“When the move happens.”

I know it’s serious, that by early next year, we won’t be living in New York anymore, and that’s something I need to accept.  It’s going to be much easier for me to accept it though, than it will be for Austin.  Davey will go with the flow because that’s how he deals with life most of the time, but Austin has attachments, and I hate that he’s about to be torn away from them.  “Right.”

“We’ll worry about it when the time comes.”

“But...”


“I don’t want you stressing about it.  You have enough going on.  I’ll sit him down when we get back to the city, all right? I promise you, babe.”  He kisses me gently.  “Just worry about...them.” He touches my belly again and smirks.  “I’ll handle everything else.”

I know brushing Austin’s issues under the rug is his solution to the issue for the time being.  I can’t say I didn’t expect it from him though.  The babies are a huge deal for him, and he’s excited and focused on their arrival.  So am I, and it’s why Austin is being...pushed aside.  I know I haven’t been spending as much time with him.  Even when we were in Memphis, we didn’t hang as much, and lately...I’ve been so preoccupied that I haven’t gotten to spend time with him at all.

I feel like he resents me for it sometimes, and it makes me feel terrible.  I have to try to make more of an effort, before I lose what’s left of the sweet little boy that I love more than anything.  The one who followed me all the way to Texas just because he couldn’t bare to live without me.  He’s losing that tenderness about him, because he’s getting older and also because he feels like he’s becoming alienated from me.  I gotta hang on to him...

But I just...I just don’t know if I’ll be able to.  The babies are going to take up all of my time, and while I’m excited about them...it makes me so sad that I could potentially lose my precious bond with Austin.

I sob, and Justin gets it, because he doesn’t ask me what’s wrong.  He knows I’m worried about my Austin, so he just holds me, strokes my hair, and tries to reassure me that he’ll make it right.  That he’ll get Austin to accept the change in our lives.

I hope he can.  I really do.

Before it’s too late.

Sixty Four by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Okay so the updates have been slower ,but i guess that's because there has been a lot more to write in the actual chapters, lol. Hope you enjoy this one :)

December

“Wahhh-ahhh-Wahhhhhh.”

My eyes slide open, and I can already feel the fatigue setting in, begging me to go back to sleep.

“It’s my turn,” Abbey mumbles, and I can feel her shifting around in our bed, trying to get to her feet without making her pain worse.

“Go back to sleep.  You can take it at six.”

“Justin...you did the midnight feeding.”

I sit up and kiss her cheek.  “Go on,” I smile lightly.  “I got it.”

She sighs harshly, but a minute later, she’s passed out cold again.

“Wahhhhhhhhhh-ah-ah-ah.”

I turn the volume down on the baby monitor and rub my eyes harshly before ruffling my hair and scratching my head.  Then I push myself to my feet and force myself to walk out of our bedroom and down the hallway to the nursery, where the horrific crying continues.  My head is pounding.  It’s been too long since I’ve slept for more than three hours at a time.

Six weeks have passed since we brought our babies home, and in a few days it will be Christmas.

It’s a hard way to spend the holidays, pushing myself through sleepless night after sleepless night while trying to make things nice for the boys and my wife at the same time, but I won’t complain.

The delivery and Abbey’s recovery went so smoothly, that I have no reason to.  

The remaining months leading up to Abbey’s due date were interesting, to say the least.  She nearly doubled in size, her back ached constantly, and her feet and ankles swelled to the point that the doctor eventually put her on bed rest.  She was concerned Abbey would put too much strain on herself otherwise, and potentially endanger the babies.  Hearing that made me stick firmly to the decision, even though Abbey protested and told me she didn’t want to stay in bed.  We had a pretty big fight about it, now that think back, but by the end of it I was able to convince her that it was the only option...that it was the best thing for Victoria and Mason, and hearing that from me made her give in.  We were thankful for Trace and Shawna, who volunteered to help out with the boys, no questions asked, so Abbey could simply relax and wait for her pregnancy to end.

Of course, the bed rest made her stir crazy and more emotional than ever.  I often found myself sitting with her after I got home from work, calmly consoling her as she quietly sobbed against my chest.  I knew it was hard on her, laying in bed all day while I was at work with nothing but the TV, some magazines, and the internet to keep her entertained, having to rely on Lucinda for whatever else she needed.  Her cravings kicked in pretty bad too.  During the entire month of October, Abbey would wake up in the middle of the night, craving Ben and Jerry’s Peanut Brittle ice cream, and wouldn’t be able to get back to sleep unless she got some in her system.  I got the hint after running to Whole Foods a couple of times in the middle of the night, and stocked our freezer full of the stuff.

I think there’s still a tub or two left over.

I checked Abbey into the hospital on November 8th at her doctors suggestion, and Victoria and Mason were born on the next day, at nine in the morning, weighing in at five pounds each.  They were perfectly healthy, thanks to the bed rest Abbey endured, and we were both so thankful.  I stood by Abbey’s bedside and held her hand as they cut her open and got the babies out of her.  She was terrified, and so was I, but once we heard them crying, and the nurses placed the babies against her chest, we both calmed down right away.  I know I’m biased, but...they were the most beautiful babies I ever laid eyes on.  Mason was born with a full head of thick, curly hair, and I know he gets it from my side.  Austin,and I were both born with that same trait.  Victoria has thinner, lighter hair, like Abbey’s.  They both have these soft blue-green eyes, bright pink lips and round rosy cheeks that keep getting chubbier the more we feed them.

They down the bottles and go through cases of diapers like they’re nothing.  Abbey decided she didn’t feel comfortable breast feeding, so we’ve been going through gallons of formula instead.  I also bring home another few cases of diapers at the end of every week, and I’m so grateful that I have the means to buy as much as we need.  I can’t imagine what my parents did...what it was like to have no money and a small, helpless child to take care of at the same time.  If nothing else, having the babies has taught me just how fortunate I really am.

And I never, ever, want to be greedy again.

It makes me want to like, help humanity or something.

But I won’t be helping anybody until I can get more damn sleep.

“Hey big man.” I smile as I reach into the crib and pull Mason into my arms while he continues to wail.  He’s more of a hassle than his sister, takes more bottles and fusses a lot more.  The doctor told us it’s not uncommon for one to have more of an appetite than the other.  Victoria takes her bottle, but she’ll only have one where Mason will sometimes take two in a sitting.  It’s taken a few weeks to get used to their habits, but it’s been fun getting to know them.  I love seeing the different things they do, the new little movements and facial expressions they make as each day passes.

When they start to talk I’ll probably cry or some lame shit, but that’s a long way off.

I gently bounce him in my arms as I grab a bottle off the warmer beside the rocker, and sit down with him.  “Shh-shh.”  I kiss his little forehead and adjust the blanket wrapped around his body before I push the bottle at him.  He takes it immediately.  I laugh.  “Little fatty.”

I yawn long and hard, and try my best to keep him positioned the correct way in my arms as he takes his bottle, without nodding off.

I fail.  My eyelids droop, and then my head starts to lean off to the side.

“Wahhhhhh.”

I jolt awake.

Victoria is up.

I look down at Mason.  His bottle is nearly done, and I prop him up a little higher in my arms, willing him to finish his meal.  Then it’s on to baby number two.  I put Mason down  in his crib, and pick up Victoria, immediately realizing that she’s due for more than just a bottle.  Her diaper is squishy.

Oh, this is my favorite part.

I lay her down on the changing table and unwrap the blanket from around her tiny body.  She squeals and cries because she’s cold, and I try my best to change her quickly, but...it’s hard.  The moment I open up her diaper I’m overwhelmed by the stench of baby poop.  It’s not the same smell as say, when the boys will take a dump in the bathroom.  It stinks to the high heavens and I gag every time I change them.  “Damn girl.” I cough a little and wave the baby wipe around her bottom, trying my best to make the smell drift off somewhere else.  

“WAHHHHHHHHHHH.”

Mason wants a second bottle.

God, help me.

I clean Victoria up and change her into a fresh diaper, my head pounding as Mason’s cries echo in my brain.  My head is going slam slam slam.   Two hungry babies at once.  This has happened a few times, but never at three in the morning.  I know I can’t feed them at the same time, but I don’t want to wake up Abbey.  She’s not the one who’s going to work in the morning but...I just hate making her do more than she has to.  She’s still a little sore from her cesarian, and she does so much with the babies and the boys during the day that I feel she deserves to sleep through the night.  I decide to let him cry for a while so I can feed Victoria, do my best to block out the sound as I sit in the rocker and give her the bottle.  She looks up at me with her big eyes as she drinks, like she loves me more than anything in the world, and I find myself being able to smile even though I’m completely exhausted at the moment.  

“Justin.”

I look towards the voice, and sit up slightly when I see Austin standing in the doorway.  He’s squinting his eyes, meaning he just woke up, and I feel bad that he’s awake at this hour.  “You sick?”  I look back down at Victoria and sigh with relief when I realize her bottle is done, and quickly go to put her back down so I can get Mason again.  

“No.”

“Oh.”  I kiss Victoria’s forehead lightly and make sure she’s bundled back up in her blanket before I pick Mason up and gently bounce him in my arms all over again. “Well you have school in a few hours, buddy.”

“I can’t sleep.”

He’s annoyed.  This has been harder on him than it’s been for Davey.  His brother is a sound sleeper, never gets up when the babies are screaming their heads off into the night, and we’ve been thankful for that.  When Davey is cranky he’s a nightmare.  Austin though, he’s more like me.  He’ll wake up most nights, and I know because I’ve heard him shuffling around in the hallway, or moving around downstairs, but he never comes to me like this.

He’s learned to do for himself, like he did when he lived in Memphis, and my parents were giving all their attention to Davey.  I promised myself it wouldn’t happen when the babies came, that I would get it together and be there for Austin.

But it is happening, and I can’t seem to reverse it.  It’s just...like, fucking impossible, because the babies need us every minute of the day, and when they don’t, Abbey and I take advantage and pass the hell out.  

Austin and I haven’t talked like I promised Abbey we would.  I just...I’ve just been so damn overwhelmed between the twins and work, and that’s terrible, I know it is.  The more I’ve looked at Austin since the wedding, the more I’ve been able to tell that he’s sort of lost, and very confused.  Now, it’s just like he’s putting up with this...not having any attention at all.  I know Abbey tries really hard, but it’s a lot...caring for the twins.  Her mother and Kimberly stayed to help out after they were born, because Abbey could barely walk due to her cesarian.  That was a huge help, but after three weeks, she was able to walk much better, and they left us.  That was when we both realized how much work it really was to have these two.

Lucinda decided that she wanted to get her own place once the babies were born, and she only works Monday through Friday now, from eight in the morning til six at night.  It’s a change.  I’m used to having her here to do whatever I want, but she knows life here has changed, and that I don’t have as much of a need for her as I used to.  Since she’s able to be on her feet more, Abbey insists on doing the laundry, the cooking, and keeping the house clean.  She hates help, and I hate that she does, but there’s nothing I can do to change her mind.  It’s like...when the babies were born, her maternal side snapped on like some kind of circuit breaker.  She wants to do it all, and even when Lucinda is here, she barely lets the woman help her.  Lucinda is going to quit on us, I’m sure, but that’s something I’ll have to deal with.  We’ll be moving anyway, and Lucinda told me long ago that she wouldn’t be willing to make the move with us.

It’s going to be hell trying to find somebody to take her place.

Most days I’ll come home from work and Abbey will just be exhausted.  Davey is cute, tries to help her if he can after school, but he’s still a little young.

Austin will always be holed up in his room.

It’s not good for him.  I feel fucking awful about it.

But I can’t help how things are at the moment.

“Mason will go back down in a little bit,” I reassure him with an exhausted tone as I prop the baby higher up in my arms and support his head as he takes the second bottle.  “Sorry.”

He shrugs.

“You can stay home today, if you want,” I offer.  “I know you’ve been losing sleep.”

He creeps further into the nursery, tugging at the bottom of his faded Bugs and Daffy tee shirt, nervously licking his lips like he has something to say but is too timid to.

“What is it buddy?”

He looks up at me, and scratches the back of his head for a moment.  “Can...can I feed him?”

I raise an eyebrow and laugh a little.  It’s a first for Austin.  Up until now, he’s only held the babies once or twice.  He’s a little afraid of them, probably thinks they’ll break if he touches them the wrong way.  I know Abbey has been trying to work with him on that, get him more attached, but Austin is like me.  If something scares him or intimidates him, he tends to back off.  “Sure,” I smirk, and get up from the rocker.  “Sit there.”

He does it slowly, cautiously, and I place Mason down in his open arms.  “Support his head...yeah...there you go.”  I smile when he holds him the way I’ve taught him to in the past, and see the smallest fragment of a smile appear on my brother’s face.  I hand him the bottle, and Mason automatically takes it when Austin gently pushes it in his face.

“Not so hard, right?”

“It’s...fun,” he smiles brightly.

“Oh yeah,” I say, sarcastically.  “Maybe you can start taking the midnight and three am shifts then.”

“No way,” he laughs.  “You’re crazy.”

“I think you’re right.”  I lean against the wall, slide down to the floor, and smile as I watch him feed Mason.  “Are you doing okay?”

He doesn’t look up at me, just continues to stare down at Mason as he takes the bottle.  “Fine.”

“Aus...”r32;


“You and Abbey are busy.  I...I get it.”

“We don’t want you to feel ignored.”

He shrugs.  “I’m used to it.”

I sigh heavily and rub my eyes.  It’s a lot to talk about right now, in the middle of the night, but the thing is...if we don’t do this now, I have no clue when we’ll be able to.  “Yeah, but that doesn’t mean it’s right.”

He’s silent for a while, and then...he looks up at me, his eyes sad, his expression full of sorrow.  “Are we moving to Dallas?”

I stare at him for a long time, silent, because I don’t know what to say.  Abbey and I agreed we wouldn’t discuss this with the boys until after the holidays, and I have no idea how he found out what’s going on.

I secured a lease for a large office space in the heart of Dallas, a week after the babies were born.  Yes, shitty as it was, I was working while I was home with Abbey and the babies.  I didn’t shut myself away from the world to do it, I mostly communicated through text messages, emails, and the occasional phone call.  Abbey told me that she understood, that she was so busy with the babies that it didn’t matter that much to her as long as I made time for the family too.  I stuck by that, and because of her leniency, I was able to get my project off the ground.  If anything, it’s made our relationship that much stronger.

We have to be up and running by the end of February if I plan on making any kind of a profit in the first six months.  I have two guys lined up to work with me...up and comers at Goldman who jumped at the opportunity to work for me and only me. They trust me enough to relocate their whole lives down to Texas, and so I know I have a big obligation to make things work.  I’ve gone in with several investors who have given me millions to give the business the boost it needs, and I know it will work out.  I have a plan, like always.  I’m not worried about that part though.

I’m just worried about getting my family acclimated to a new life.  

Abbey agreed to come with me to look at a few houses my realtor has scoped out for us once the holidays are over with, and once again, Trace and Shawna have agreed to help out with the boys for the few days we’ll be away.  We’re taking the babies with us, because we don’t want to burden anybody else with their care, and the doctor gave us the go ahead, since we’re flying private.  They’ll be exposed to less germs that way, so it’s safer.

I mean, I guess I need to tell him the truth.  The final step is buying the house, otherwise, everything else is set.  We have to be settled in Dallas in a little over two months.  That’s going to be our life.  There’s no way we can turn back now.  “Who told you?”

“It doesn’t matter.  Are we?”

I nod slightly and look down at the carpet.  “Yeah, we are.”

“I don’t want to.”

I sigh heavily.  “I know but...this is a positive change, Austin.  We’ll be better off, and I’ll get to spend more time at home with all of you.”

“What about my school?”

“I found a good school for you.  Davey too.”

“No...it won’t be the same.”

“Austin...”

r32;
“What about Kristy?”

He’s whimpering and I push myself to my feet and take Mason from his arms, afraid he might forget himself and drop the baby.  “You’ll see her.  I’ll make sure she comes out to visit.”

“That’s not good enough!”

Victoria starts to wail again, irritated because she’s been woken up.

“Damn it...”  I sigh harshly and place Mason gently back down in the crib.  He gurgles and coos, but doesn’t cry with his sister.  I’m thankful.  “Austin you can’t...you can’t yell right now.”  I pick up Victoria and rock her gently in my arms.  “We’ll talk about this tomorrow, all right?”

“Or fuckin’ never.”

“Austin.  C’mon buddy, dont be like that.”

He storms out.

Just great.

It takes another hour before I’m able to get Victoria down again. I have to hold her against my chest and pace back and forth across the nursery so she’ll fall back to sleep, and I’m more than frustrated when I finally slide into bed again.  I yank the covers back over myself and try to close my eyes, get back to sleep before the alarm buzzes in my ear and I have to go to the damn office...

“They okay?”

“Fine, Ab.”

I feel her rubbing my back in the darkness.  “Are...are you okay?”

I turn, feel for her in the darkness and smile a little when my hand connects with the soft skin on her face.  “Tired,” I whisper.

She’s silent.

“Austin knows,” I say after a moment.  “About Dallas.”

“I heard.  Kristy must have told him, because Trace probably let it slip in front of her.”

Right.  I should have figured that out.  “Are...are we making the right choice, baby?”

“I think so.”

She cuddles up to me, and I pull her close before wrapping my arms around her.  “I don’t know if it’s the best choice for Austin.”

“I can get him through the move.  He’ll adapt, Justin.  He’s just confused right now.  I’m scared of what he’s going through too, you know that I am, but I know...he’ll come around.  He always does, and I want this for our children.  I want them to grow up away from the city, and I think Davey is going to be a lot better off away from it too.”

I agree with her a hundred percent.  The babies know nothing of living in the city and Davey is easy.  He’s just happy being with his family, and he’ll adjust quickly.  Austin is harder, and I know that because I’m a difficult person too...well, not so much at home anymore, but at work I am.  I don’t like change either, and the fact that I’m about to change our entire lives is a big deal for somebody like me.  I still can’t believe I’m about to do it, but I just...I love my family so much that I’ll take a risk to ensure they have the best life possible with me.  “Maybe we should reconsider.”
r32;

“Justin, is this your dream?”

I suck in a breath.  I know it is, but I feel selfish about having one.  “Yeah but...”

I feel her pull away from me, and then the light snaps on, I squint for a few moments, but then my eyes finally adjust to the light again.  She’s staring at me, her expression stern, and I know that she means business.  
r32;

“I’m not about to let you hold yourself back.  You give us every part of yourself, you sacrifice your own happiness sometimes to make sure we’re taken care of, and it’s time you did something that’s just for you.  Austin didn’t even want to be here at first, and look how he’s adjusted.  He’ll be okay.  I was scared that we were going to lose him, but now I know that this is something we have to do as a family.  He’ll have to understand why we need to move, and I plan on talking to him about it.”

I kiss her gently.  “Why are you so good to me?” I pull her back into my arms and smile lightly at her.  “I mean, I took you away from Texas and now you’re willing to go back there?”

“Because I love you, J.  I don’t care where we end up as long as I have you and the kids.  You’ll take care of us.  I know that, and I trust it.  That’s what’s important.”

I know she means it.  I know she’s in this with me because she’s my wife...my partner.  We’re still a team through all of this, and I almost forgot about that part.  “I love you too.”

She kisses me gently and smiles.  “Goodnight.”

The light snaps off, and after a few moments I can hear her breathing deeply, and rhythmically, a sure sign that she’s drifted off again.  I stare up at the ceiling, knowing I won’t be able to sleep for sure.  There’s too much on my mind.  I’m worried about my brother and what the move is going to do to him.  I’m worried that I’m not making the right choice, even though Abbey is sure that I am.  I have to take the risk, because I don’t want the babies to turn five and consider me their daddy that, ‘is always workin’.  I want to be there.  I want to go watch them play sports and have lazy evenings on the couch with them.  I want to be able to take all the personal days I want so I can take them on surprise trips, and make their lives as awesome as possible.

That’s my dream.

I end up sleeping for all of an hour.  The alarm goes off at six, the babies wail, Abbey gets up and goes to tend to them immediately and I stagger into the shower, knowing I have to snap myself into the work mindset, but I’m so fucking tired.  I stand under the hot spray for longer than I usually do, willing it to wake me up, and it helps me a little bit.  Abbey has my clothes laid out for me when I get out, so I dress, and trim my beard a little bit before I’m ready to head out and face the day.  A hot breakfast is waiting for me at the table, and I thank Lucinda who just nods, and goes on her way.

“Justin!”  Davey runs into the kitchen, backpack slung over his shoulder, a wide smile on his face as he partially wraps his arms around my body as I sit in the chair.  “Do you think I’ll get it! Do you?”

I chew and swallow my eggs, laughing at him as I ruffle his hair.  “You know you have to wait til Christmas Day to find out.  My lips are sealed.”

“Ugh, I want it.” He releases me from his embrace and slides a chair out, so he can begin to consume the bowl of cereal that Lucinda left for him.

He’s been on this “I want a Razor Scooter” kick, for the past two months.  Apparently all the kids he goes to school with have one.  Of course I got it for him.  It’s hidden high up in my closet with the rest of their presents.  Abbey and I decided to get them both a little bit extra this year, just because of how crazy our lives have been.  In February Austin will be fifteen too, and so I’ve decided to buy him a car when we get to Dallas as part of his Christmas gift, so he’ll have something to learn on when he applies for his permit.  I shoved a few car brochures in his stocking so we’ll have something to talk about too.

Abbey is terrified of the thought that he’ll be driving.  So am I, but I’m not going to deny him the chance to learn when he comes of age.  He’ll only complain that all the other kids are doing it.  I can’t wait to pick out a car with him.  I know he’ll be excited and that it’s something the two of us can do together.  

“Hi Austin!” Davey chirps brightly.

He barely glances at his brother as he takes a seat at the table with us, and begins to consume his Pop Tarts.  “Hi.”

“Austin, what do you think you’ll get under the tree?”

He shrugs and chews.  “Dunno.”

He doesn’t care.  It makes me sad.  It’s Christmas and he should be just as excited as Davey is about it.  “I bet you’ll make out pretty good,” I say, trying to sound encouraging.

He glares at me, and slides out from the table.  “I told Abbey you said I can stay home.”

I nod.  “Yeah, that’s fine.”

He stomps back to his room.

Getting him on our side is going to be very difficult.  I know that now.

“Is Austin mad?”

I force a small smile for my youngest brother.  “He’s just tired.”

“He said he hates the babies, and that I should too.”

I raise an eyebrow, and can feel the anger forming in the pit of my stomach.  I know Davey isn’t lying.  That’s not something he does, unless he’s trying to sneak cookies.  “You shouldn’t hate them.  Nobody should.”

“I don’t,” he smiles.  “I love them.  Abbey let me hold Vickie yesterday and she didn’t cry this time.  i like to hold her 'cause she’s warm and squishy.”

“That’s good.  See, you’re learning.”  I smile, lean forward, brush his bangs aside, and kiss his forehead.  “Go on or you’ll be late.  I’ll see you tonight.”

“Then Christmas break starts!”

“Yeah,” I laugh.  “It does.”

Abbey comes out into the kitchen then, holding Mason in her arms as he takes his bottle.  “Davey, the mini bus is waiting downstairs,” she nods.  “Go on.  You have a half day so I’ll see you around noon, okay?”

“Okay.”  He runs to her and wraps his arms around her waist, and she smiles down at him.  “Bye!”

He’s runs out the door and it slams behind him.

We both laugh.  He’s definitely not the same kid that I brought here almost four years ago. He’s older, eleven, and it shows.  He’s taller, doesn’t act so much like a needy baby anymore, and he’s a lot more confident. Francine still sees him about once a month, says that he’s made quite a progression, that he’s probably more like the kid he used to be now more than ever...and that’s thanks to Abbey, and my personality change more than anything.  

Everything would be so perfect if it wasn’t for Austin, but I really don’t want to resent my brother.

Hell, if it wasn’t for his persistence, Abbey and I never would have gotten back together.  I owe him a lot, so I’m going to do whatever I can to fix this thing going on with him.

“You’re letting Austin stay home?” She walks across the kitchen slowly, and I slide the chair out for her and help her to sit down on it with the baby.  

“Yeah.  I know he’s tired and it’s a half day anyway.”

She shrugs.  “I thought he’d be better off getting away for a while.”

“He’s tired.  Give him a break, Ab.  This is hard on him.”

She nods.  “I know.”

I have the worst feeling that she wanted a break from him too.  I start to think that maybe...she hasn’t been telling me what goes on when I’m at work and she’s alone with him.  Does he say things to her? Does he try to mess with the babies?

“How’s things with him when I’m at work?”

She shrugs and adjusts Mason in her arms.  “He’s not the same, Justin.  I’ll try to talk to him today about Dallas.  Maybe he’ll come around.”

“Does he...try things with the babies?”


r32;She gives me a weird look.  “Like what?”

“I dunno...” I trail off because I feel foolish.  “Davey seems to think that he hates them.  I was just concerned.”

“Austin couldn’t hurt a fly,” she laughs.  “He’s angry and stubborn, like you can be sometimes, but he wouldn’t lay a hand on them.  If he’s told Davey that, it’s because he’s getting his aggressions out.”

“He woke up and helped feed Mason with me during the night.”

“Really?”

I chuckle.  “Yeah.  Crazy right?”

“Did he...did he like it?”

“Yeah, he did.”

She smiles gently.  I know it’s made her feel a little better, given her some hope that Austin is going to come around.  I get up from the chair.  “I’ll be late.  Kind of a big day today.”  I kiss Mason’s forehead first and then I give Abbey one on the mouth.  “Love you.  See you tonight.”

She tells me she loves me too as I walk to the door, and it leaves me with a warm feeling inside and a smile on my face.  Quincy is waiting for me when I walk out of my building.  He too, won’t be joining us when we move.  He has too much going on here, and so I’ve arranged for Dennis to give him a job when he takes over for me.  Losing him sucks.  He’s been so reliable, done so much for me, the boys, and for Abbey too that I’ll be sad to see him go.  I doubt I’ll hire a driver in Dallas.  It’s easier to get around there, I’m sure, and I think I’ll like driving.  I’ll miss my talks with Quincy though, the way he can ease my mind on my way into work most mornings.  

Change sucks.

“Mornin’ Cheryl.”  I barely smile as I drag myself through the door, and lean against her desk for support.

“Good morning, sir.”  She sticks out her bottom lip and gives me a sympathetic gaze.  “Long night with the little ones again?”

“I don’t want to go there,” I laugh.  

“It gets easier."

“Oh yeah?” I yawn.  “When?”

"Here.”  She laughs and hands me my normal stack of messages.  “Oh, and Mr. Ayala called.  He wants to know if you can fit him and Mr. Trump in for lunch?”

“Oh...damn it.  I...I’m supposed to be in talks with Dennis and we're interfacing with Japan at eleven."

r32;
I’m still investing in their hotel project.  It’s going well.  The Geneva location has been open for a month now, and we’re already profiting from it.  My move is going to put a strain on the relationship though.  I’m considering pulling out, even though they’re going to beg me to stay on.  

“Should I call and tell them no, sir?”

“Yeah.  It’s not a good day.”

She jots something down on her yellow lined notepad.  “Done.”

Out of all the people that have ever worked for me. Cheryl is the one I’ve never wanted to lose.  She’s just...phenomenal.  She gets me through my days at the office with such ease, and handles personal shit for me that most people would roll their eyes at.  She never complains, never whines about working extra hours, and is always available when I need her regardless of the day or time.

I don’t want to lose her.

But she has a family.  A husband, children who’s lives have been set here since they were born.  I doubt she’d move but...I can’t help but want to ask her to come work for me in Dallas.  She’d be great.  I could trust her, wouldn’t have to train her, and be reassured that she would be on top of everything I have going on.  

“Cheryl?”

She looks up from her computer, as she was busy typing away already.  “Sir?”

“Are you going to stay on when I’m gone?”

She shrugs.  “Dennis has asked me to stay on.  He said my salary would stay the same.”

I nod slightly.  “Well, what if you could triple your salary?”

She just stares at me.

I laugh at her.  “Come to Dallas.”

“Oh...sir...”

“How about Justin?  I mean, it’s been almost five years.  I think we’ve reached a first name basis in our relationship.”

She blushes.  “Of course sir...er, Justin.”

“So?”

She lets out an exasperated sigh.  “I...I would love to but I don’t know if my family would want to leave.  The children will be graduating high school in a couple of years.  Uprooting them would be difficult at this point.  I know you understand.”

“I...I do but, you’re the best assistant in the world,” I say with a pleading tone.  “I’ll be swimming in issues without you.”

She smiles at me.  It’s a sympathetic smile though.  One that tells me she really doesn’t think she can tell me yes.  “I don’t think I can go, Justin.  There’s just...too much going on in my personal life.”

My smile fades to nothing.  I’m not angry of course, just disappointed that I’m going to lose her along with everybody else who I value as an employee.  “I...I expected that.”

“I do have somebody that might be a good fit for the position though,” she says, before I can go sulk in my office.

“Yeah?”

“It’s my niece, Jessica.  She just finished her thirty six months in the army and lives in Dallas now.  She goes to school, but the last time I spoke to her she told me she was looking for administrative work to add to her resume.  I’m sure it would only be part time that she could do it...but I doubt you’d need somebody to work forty hours a week right off the bat.  If you want I can set up an interview.  You’re going to Dallas after the New Year, aren’t you?”  

I trust Cheryl, so it’s the only reason why I’m considering this.  A college student isn’t my ideal choice for an administrative assistant.  Especially since I can be really fucking needy at times.  But the business is only in it’s infancy, and I need somebody reliable.  Cheryl is such a hard, dedicated worker that I doubt she would recommend a family member to me that didn’t have the same type of work ethic as her.  “Yeah, for a week.  We have to buy the house.”

“So I’ll call her?”

It takes me a moment more to decide.  “Sure, call her.  I’ll do the interview when we go down.”

She smiles brightly.  “Wonderful.”

I hope so.

Sixty Five by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
another one! enjoy!
“So, how was it?”

I unwrap my first Egg McMuffin, and hold it up to my nose, breathing in it’s aroma for a few moments before taking a long, slow bite out of it.  Anybody else would think I was a weirdo for doing it, but not Anthony.  He does the same shit.  We were starved for so long, that we forgot what certain things smelled like, and how good they taste.  Food is probably the one thing in my life that I cherish, to this day.  “You know,” I say, as I chew and swallow.  “The same.  It’s not going to go beyond last night.”

“I liked her.  Kelly couldn’t stop talking about what a good match she was for you.  I thought things might have worked out.”

I shrug.  He means well, and I know that.  But at the same time, dating...I’m still not totally there yet.  She was a nice girl.  Christine...that was her name.  She teaches at the same elementary school that Kelly does, likes the outdoors, hiking, even has a brother in the military so we had a little more to talk about.  She had a great body, great smile, and most of all...she had patience. I took her back to my place after dinner, and we had sex.

She was the first woman I allowed myself to be intimate with since my divorce, and it was also the first time that I was able to..perform, since I was brought back home.  I knew it was cheap, meaningless sex, but I convinced myself that it was time.  Time to listen to my therapist, and try to interact with somebody new.  It made my body feel refreshed, and renewed, made me feel like a little bit less of a freak because I’d finally been able to have sex normally.  Christine was even able to ignore the scarring on my back, told me that it was okay when I was hesitant about taking my shirt off.  She said that it didn’t make a difference to her, that she understood.  They’ve mostly healed.  I don’t have to bandage them anymore, but the lash marks are still there, more apparent than ever.  I have a feeling that this is as good as they’re going to get, that I’ll have them as a reminder of what I was put through, until the day I die.

I woke up this morning, reached out for her, and realized she wasn’t there.  It left me with this deep, empty feeling inside, knowing I was alone again.

I won’t call her, and I think she knew that as soon as we finished up, because I couldn’t look at her...couldn’t touch her anymore. I think that’s why she left before I woke up.  She doesn’t want drama to come from this and neither do I.  It might make me an asshole for not wanting to try things with her, but I know that I’m just...I’m not ready, and while she was a pretty good match interest wise, I know she’d never understand my moods and the thoughts that tend to take over my mind, even now.  

I was discharged from the army immediately after my release from the mental health facility, and it’s been nearly seven months since I made the move to Arizona.  Anthony lives in Scottsdale with his wife and son, and for the first five months I lived with them, in their finished basement.  Kelly has been amazing, completely willing to tolerate my mood swings, and awkward moments, even though she has a child to think of.  I think being married to Anthony has taught her a lot about toleration though.  When he first came back, he was just like me...not sleeping through the night, drinking, and snapping at every little thing.  They beat the odds and statistics though.  They saved their marriage because they were both willing to work together to save it, and now they have a beautiful relationship because of that.

Sometimes I’ll look at them, see how much they love each other, and think...what if I’d tried?  What if I’d let Abbey talk me into getting us counseling that day I told her we couldn’t be together?  Sometimes I think that it might have worked.  That we’d be together and happy by now.

But then I think about what happened to my mom, and I know that...that Abbey might have been the one I pushed through that glass door if she stayed.  Even now, I can barely live with myself because of what I did, and if Abbey had been the one...I don’t think I would have allowed myself to be saved.  I think I would have killed myself the moment I was let out of Camp Psycho.  Our lives are better off the way they are, and I’ve been able to clear my mind enough to realize that now.  She’s in love and has a family and I...I’m going to be okay, eventually.  
Anthony took me to see the same therapist that helped him and Kelly, a couple of weeks after I’d gotten settled into their place.  Dr. Wineberg, or...Rick, as he prefers his patients to call him.  He’s different, not like the people I’ve been forced to talk to in the past.  He was in the military, and his specialty is veteran rehabilitation.  He’s one of the only people I can talk to...about anything, who gets it.  The only person that’s been able to listen to me like he does is Jessica, and...she’s long gone.  I’ve gone into graphic details with him about my seven year captivity, and he doesn’t think I’m crazy.

He just...he helps me, and gives me the right medication to regulate my moods so I can sleep nights.  I’m only supposed to take it before bed.  It’s just enough to help me through the rough times, if I have an episode or something in the middle of the night.  Otherwise, I’ve learned how to stabilize myself on my own through tactics that he’s taught me.  I can’t lie, it’s really hard, and sometimes...sometimes I still break down, still need help, but I’m better than I was.  So much better.  

I live now.  I can actually...do things, and go places, without being so fucking afraid.  I find joy in doing the simplest things like...going to the grocery store on my own, going to a movie or out to dinner with Anthony and his family.  It’s sad.  I forgot how much I was missing out on in the world.  There’s so much to do, see, and experience.  I thought the only thing that was stolen from me was my freedom, but in reality, they took so much more than that.

I haven’t felt this much like myself since I left for Afghanistan all those years ago.  Little by little, small pieces of the guy I used to be have been coming back to me.  Lately, I’ve been getting back into the things I used to love.  I go to the gym most nights after work, set new lifting goals for myself, and go hiking on the weekends too.  There’s tons of trails around here, and it’s been fun, exploring a new place.  In Colorado it’s all snowy hills and mountains, but here in Scottsdale there’s the desert, cacti, and brightly colored flowers everywhere.  I was hesitant about getting out on the trails for a while, thinking the sand and heat would take me back...there...but I learned how to make peace with my feelings.  I’ve taught myself how to appreciate the surroundings, rather than fear them.  Rick has helped.  He even came out with me the first time I told him I wanted to go hiking, taught me a lot about the area and the things I could do that would prevent me from having a meltdown.

The most important tool he’s given me, I think, is mediation.  Our third session, he gave me a little manual with a CD attached to it, and pressed it into my hands, telling me to take it home and try it out. When I realized it was a meditation guide I laughed, nearly threw it back in his face because I felt meditation was for stupid, wimpy hippies.  But he told me that it had helped him when he came back from the Gulf War, and that he was going to be upset with me if I didn’t try.

I knew I couldn’t disappoint him.  He’d helped me too much.

I started doing it in the mornings before work, closing my eyes, letting the music take over me as I tried my best to clear my mind.  I still hadn’t been sleeping well then, woke up from the night terrors most nights, thanking the heavens that Anthony’s basement had been soundproofed before my arrival.  At first it didn’t do anything but frustrate me.  I would close my eyes and just...remember, and cry there in my bedroom.  I talked to Rick about it, told him I wanted to quit, but he begged me to keep pushing, that it took awhile.  I did it, begrudgingly, and then...

Then one day, it just...worked.  The music enveloped my mind and body, made me forget, lifted me up, and took me to a place far away from my problems.  It still does.  I’m able to float away to better places and times I experienced before my disappearance.  I focus on happy memories I had as a child, as an adolescent.

Of course, Abbey is there.

But she’s not the same Abbey that I divorced.  It’s only the Abbey I remember from the past.  The kid that was in love with me, naive to the horrors of the world.  Again, she’s getting me through, just like she did when I was locked in a cage, only...she has no idea.  But I don’t think the Abbey out in the world right now, would understand.  The important thing, is that it’s helping me.  I meditate twice a day now, for an hour in the morning, and for an hour at night.  The medication I take, mixed with my meditation, helps me to sleep through the night better than ever.

In fact, this month...I’ve only woke up once from a night terror.

My life is changing, just like Anthony promised me it would.

The only thing that’s missing is...my family, and...finding love again.  I’d like to focus on my family first of course.  Love...love is difficult, and last night proved that.  My family is something I can work towards.  Rick has said he would like to help me make a connection with them, but I’m still so unsure.  I haven’t talked to my parents since they went back to Colorado after the accident, and I’m sure they’re much better off because of it.  I sent Mark a simple postcard, so he would know where I was, and a couple of months later I received a letter back from him, just to keep me updated on how he was doing, how school was going for him.  I could tell by the handwriting on the envelope that Hannah had snuck it in the mailbox for him, and it made me smile.  I knew that they both still loved me, even if nobody else back home did.

It’s Christmas eve.  The first I’ve had since I’ve been back, and...I’m not even able to spend it with my family or hold a phone conversation with them.  That’s the hardest part for me.  Anthony knows that too, and he’s been doing his best to make me feel like part of his since Thanksgiving.  He’s a great friend.  One that I never expected I would have.  He’s given me a job in his father in laws construction company, and we partner together on the jobs that get handed down to him.  He’s taught me everything he knows about working with his hands, won’t let me work without him, and hasn’t from the very beginning.  I think that was the condition Kelly’s dad made before I was allowed to be a part of the business, and of course I get it.  He’s a nice guy.  He stops by the house a lot with Kelly’s mom and they always make me feel like a part of their thing.  They’re a close family.  They remind me of how mine used to be, and I cling to that so hard...because I need it so bad.

Because of the job and what it pays, I was able to get my own place a month ago.  It’s not much, just a one bedroom apartment about five miles away from Anthony’s neighborhood, but it’s a great accomplishment for me.  I’ve been able secure a job to the point that I can pay rent, and not have to leech off of somebody else.  I’m independent now and that makes me feel great...

I just wish my family could see how much I’ve changed.

Anthony and I finish our breakfasts, and he starts up the truck.  We’re on our way to finish up a roofing job, and then, we’re off for a week for the Christmas holiday.  I’m going to be staying at his house.  His family doesn’t want me to be alone, at all, and I’m thankful.  He says we’ll do some stuff with Michael, who I grew attached to immediately after I moved in.  He’s good, reminds me of my brother when he was that age, and I’ve found that he’s been sort of therapeutic to me as well.  I don’t think about things so much when I’m hanging out with him.  We just hang, and play video games, go outside and run around together.  I like to help him with his school work too. We built this awesome replica of a working rainforest for his science fair, and he placed second.

Who would have thought I’d be capable of that, after so much shit?

“So Bill has this job for me after the New Year,” he tells me, once we both climb to the roof and start hammering the rest of the shingles into place.  “He says it’s in Texas though, but the pay will be amazing.  It’s a corporate job.”

I stop hammering and look over at him, wiping the sweat off my brow and taking a deep breath before guzzling some water.  Sure, it’s December, but we’re in Arizona, and the temperature stays around seventy degrees this time of the year.  “Texas?”

“Yeah, some kind of firm is opening up and the building needs renovations...painting, carpentry, things like that.  Apparently the place is a big deal...some rich asshole is starting his own investment firm...some shit.  I guess he has nothing better to do with all that money.”  He laughs and hammers a little bit, then stops again.  “Bill is making about a hundred grand from the job, and I’ll give you half my cut.  That means twenty five thousand for you, plus whatever overtime they have to pay us.  Bill says he’ll give us five guys to do the dirty work, put us up in a hotel, and pay for all the food while we’re there.  It’s a two month job.  What do you think?”

There’s a lot of bad memories for me in Texas, and he knows that.  It’s why he’s asking me this way.  If it were anyplace else, he knows I would take the job on without a question.  Twenty five thousand dollars is a ton of money, after all, and I sure could use it, if I want to get a bigger place. Eventually, I’d like to own a home, if I can.  “Where in Texas?”

“Dallas.  It’s not close to anything...you would have an issue with.  It’s hours away from Killeen and the base.”

I shrug.  “I guess...I mean...it sounds like a good job.”

He smiles and pats my back.  “You kidding? It’s the biggest job we’ve ever been offered.  Can you imagine the deals we’ll get after this? Johnson and Holtoy Construction is going to be on the map!”

I nod, force a smile for him, and start to hammer again.  I know it’s a good thing for all of us.  Anthony will make more money to take care of his family and I’ll be able to push forward and make my life better.  I should be smiling more, be completely ecstatic just like him, but I guess...because it’s Christmas, and my family is out of the picture, it’s a little harder for me.

We work all morning, perfecting the roof, and it makes me feel good when he finally tells me that we’re finished.  Work makes me feel good most of the time, makes me feel like I accomplished something at the end of the day.  I’m thankful for it.

“Kel says the ham is in the oven.”  Anthony sighs with happiness as he reads his text message, while we pile the rest of our gear into the back of his pickup.  “I can’t fuckin’ wait, kid.  You’ve never experienced Christmas until you’ve had one with us.”

I smile.  “Sounds great.”

“Bray?”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you...thank you so much for getting me home for this.”

I press my lips together and look down at my lap, feeling my face burning.  “I think...I think you’ve paid me back, Anthony.  More than enough.”

“That’s what I’m here for, brother.”

We get in the truck after that, and drive the half hour back to his house. It’s all decorated for the holiday, and the Christmas lights are sparkling now that the sun is setting.  I smile, the feeling of home taking over me almost instantly.  

“Hey.”  Kelly kisses my cheek as I walk into the house.  “Good day or bad day?”

I smile at her.  “Good day.”

“Great.  Supper will be ready soon...just...get yourself situated.  I fixed up the guest room for you, okay?”

“Yeah.  Thanks.”

“Hey you.”  Kelly smiles and pulls Anthony into her arms as he make our way through the door and I leave them behind as they start to make out.  The heavenly smell of home cooked goodness wafts through my nostrils and I close my eyes, taking it in.  

“Hi Braeden!  Are you staying here!”

I smile at Michael, who throws his arms around me once he gets close enough.  “Hey monster face.”  I laugh as I pick him up and swing him over my shoulder.  “Yeah, I’m camping out here for a few days.  I heard they were short on food this year too, so we’re just gonna cook you when the rest of the food runs out.”

“No! Nooooo!”

I carry him to the couch and tickle him until he’s screaming for mercy.  “All right, all right,” I say breathlessly as I lean back against the couch.  “I guess I’ll have to survive on that ham in there.”

He leans his head on my shoulder and I stroke his hair gently.

He doesn’t care what I’ve been through.

He just loves me, and I love him.  I think he’s the best gift that Anthony and Kelly have been able to share with me since I’ve been here, and I wouldn’t be able to leave him behind for anything.

For the first time, I know how Abbey felt with Austin, and that other little boy, and I’m so thankful that they found her, helped her through life when I wasn’t around.  I know they saved her, got her past me, and while I used to be so bitter about that, I appreciate it now.

Because Michael has saved me in a way too.

The doorbell rings, and I fully expect Kelly’s parents to come bursting in with the rest of the feast.  A few minutes pass, but I don’t hear the usual chatter between Kelly and her mother and Bill doesn’t come over to greet his grandson or give me a hearty slap on the back.

“Bray!”

I cock my head to the side and give Michael’s hair a final tousle before I get up from the couch, and walk towards Anthony’s voice.  He’s standing by the front door, that’s open part way, and I stop in my tracks, confused.  “What...what’s wrong?”

He smiles a little, but doesn’t say anything, just opens the door the rest of the way.

“H-hey...”

I want to break down and cry like a baby because my brother is standing there, Hannah at his side.  I don’t know how it’s possible that they came to be here...I mean, our parents...her parents, wouldn’t they have to agree to this?  “Mark...”

He rushes into the house and over to me, and I wrap him up in my arms, holding him so tight to me as he sobs into my shoulder.  I know he’s a complete mess.  He needs me so bad and it’s just...so fucking selfish of my parents to try and keep us apart.  Part of me is waiting for a phone to ring or a police officer to walk in and take him from me, telling me he’s a minor and belongs with his parents.

But it doesn’t happen, and something inside is telling me this has been arranged so it won’t.  That nobody in our family has a clue where he really is, on the day before Christmas.  I pull away from him after a while, and smile when I see Hannah standing there with the tears running down her face. I hug her too.  We hug forever, and then I’m finally able to ask them the question that’s been plaguing my mind for the past twenty minutes.

“How?”

Hannah pulls an envelope out of her pocket and sniffles a little as she hands it to me.  “Justin.”

Mark rolls his eyes and she’s quick to swat him.  “Stop it.  I warned you.”

He listens.

I stare at her, my eyes wide, trembling a little as I take it from her.  “What...what do you mean?”

“He said to give this to you and you would understand.”

“What about...”r32;
“They think we’re staying with Abbey for the holiday,” Hannah tells me.  

I know it’s risky.  If they find out what’s going on, there are going to be repercussions not only for me, but for them, and I don’t want them punished for something so silly.  “Are you sure?”

They both nod.  It tells me this has been secured over and over again.

I rip open the envelope.  There is a Christmas card inside, and when I open it, a small photo falls into my hands.  I smile when I look at it.  It’s Justin, Abbey, those boys, and...two babies in front of the Christmas Tree.

Two babies?”

“Two babies?”

Hannah giggles.  “They had twins.”  She comes to stand at my side so she can look at the picture with me.  “That’s Mason, and that’s Victoria.”

“Shit.”  I stare at the picture for a moment more, gazing at the smile on Abbey’s face, knowing she’s complete.  That she’s the happiest she’ll ever be.

And I can live with that.  I can live with the way her life has turned out, and I start to read the card with that in mind.

Braeden,

Merry Christmas.  I didn’t know what to get you, but I wanted to do something to show my gratitude.  You’ve given me the best gift of all...my family, and I know you’re probably standing there thinking I’m a big fucking sap, and hell..yeah, I guess I am, but I’m better for it.  I guess that’s why I got you the best gift I could to coincide with the one you selflessly gave to me.

I hope you and your brother have a nice holiday.  Don’t worry about the details, I’ve taken care of it.

Best,

Justin and family


I look back up at my brother and his girlfriend, speechless.  It’s the last thing I would have expected, them being here, and the fact that Justin did this...

It’s just crazy.

But at the same time, it’s the best thing he could have done to repay me.  I know there’s a silent respect we have for one another.  He’ll always be greatful to me, for allowing him to love Abbey.  I know I could have worked hard to tear them apart, but it wouldn’t have been right.

Now more than ever I know I made the best choice for her that I could have.

And my life is starting over because of it.
Sixty Six by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:

So because I'm kind of lame and addicted to my own story, I have a link that shows you the house that is described in this chapter.  I'm not the best with meticlously detailing things, so i figured you would like the pictures.  Enjoy!

http://www.mathews-nichols.com/listings/preston-hollow/4923-deloache-ave

“These are Jerusalem gold limestone floors.  They extend into the gallery and the kitchen as well.  The tiles were custom cut.  Each one has it’s own unique pattern that cannot be duplicated.  I know you expressed an interest in having something different in the home, Mr. Timberlake.  The material is very unique and the layout is one of a kind.”

Justin stares at the floor and smiles.  “I love this.  Baby, don’t you love this floor?”

“Uh...um yeah...” 

I’m so busy looking around the giant foyer, that the floors are the last thing I care about.  It’s our second viewing of this particular house, but I can’t get over how massive the place is.  I thought Justin’s estate in South Hampton was the epitome of mansions but this...this is like nothing I ever expected.  This house is like something out of a dream, and I can’t believe that I’m standing in it right now, with my husband and children, trying to decide if it’s what I like the best out of the houses we’ve seen this week. 

Do I really deserve this?

Justin seems to think so.

“You must see the kitchen again,” David, our realtor, smiles at me, snapping me out of my awestruck daze.  “Abbey, come with me.”

“Go on.”  Justin smiles at me, extends his hand so he can latch it onto the stroller, and gently wheels it towards him.  “That’s your area of expertise, not mine.”

I roll my eyes.  “I’m gonna get you to start cooking more.  You pulled off Thanksgiving in the past, so don’t act like you’re incapable.  Lucinda isn’t going to be around to fix everything for you like before.”

“You’re gonna have to work a little harder to get me to slave over a stove for you, woman.”

“Barbarian.”

He peers into the distance for a moment to make sure our realtor is out of site, before stepping away from the stroller, and yanking me towards him, giving me a long, passionate kiss.

He takes my breath away, and I fall in love all over again.  Our sex life has gotten right back to where it used to be.  After I completely healed from my cesarian, Justin started in on me again, night after night.  He proceeded slowly at first, but then I got impatient, and took our sex back to that playful, slightly rough stage it had been at before I’d gotten too pregnant.  If nothing else, it helped with the stress the babies and the boys have been putting us through.  It helped us maintain our strong bond, and the way we love each other too.  When we wake up beside each other in the mornings, we smile.

We’ve never been happier, but now our lives are about to change, again.

Victoria starts to fuss, and we are forced to stop making out.  “I guess you should get that,” I whisper, smirking slightly. 

He kisses my cheek quickly before going back over to the stroller, and lifting our girl into his arms.  “Later tonight...remind we where we left off,” he winks.

I laugh and shake my head.  “I’ll be back in a minute.”

“I’ll be here.” He sends me another silly little smile before he turns his attention back to Victoria.  “Tori oh Tori...what’s a’matta with my princess?”  He lifts up her shirt and starts giving her raspberries on the stomach.  In less than a moment she’s gone from whining and tears to squealing and baby giggles.

He really is a fantastic father.

Giving birth was the scariest thing I’ve ever done, but it was also the greatest, if that makes sense.  Holding my babies in my arms for the very first time is something that I can’t put into words.  It was just...incredible being able to meet them.  Finally being able to kiss their heads and little hands, knowing that Justin and I had created them from our love.  I cried the moment the nurses got them out of me and layed them to rest against my chest.  They were just...so beautiful.  Mason has thick, curly hair and Victoria has light blond hair like mine.  She has Justin’s nose and her eyes are slowly turning to Justin’s color as the months pass.  Mason is the needy one.  Loves his bottles and cuddle time, and doesn’t mind trying to hog it all from his sister if he can.

It’s given me a glimpse of what’s to come when they’re older.

I know it was hell for Justin those last few months of my pregnancy.  The fact that I had to be on bed rest nearly drove me insane, and Justin was the only person I had around to vent to.  They boys were at Trace’s so much during that time, that I barely got to spend time with them at all.  It was like I was this cast away, and I was completely miserable because of it.  When Justin would come home from work, I would cry on him, snap at him, bug the shit out of him, whine and complain about pretty much everything somebody could.  But my husband didn’t get angry at me or complain, tell me that I was ungrateful or ridiculous, like I felt I was.  He just put up with my moods, because he understood I was going through a lot.  He could get out of the house everyday while I was confined to a bed for hours on end. 

The day I checked into the hospital, I wanted to shoot off fireworks, knowing I wouldn’t have to lay in bed for much longer.

Only, the cesarian would cause me so much pain, I would be forced to take it easy for another three weeks.  Luckily, my mother and Kimberly stayed to get me through that part after Hannah and my daddy went back home.  Someone needed to help me, and Justin couldn’t tend to the twins all by himself.  I was thankful for them.  For the first time, they actually didn’t bicker, either.  I think they were both so busy gushing over the twins that they didn’t have a chance to focus on each other.  It was just the amount of time my mother and I needed to grow closer again too.  We talk nearly everyday now, and I send her pictures through email constantly.  My dad has been getting on me too, keeps asking when Justin and I will be able to come to Colorado and show off the babies to everybody. 

I assured him that once we were settled in Texas, it would be much easier for us to do that.  My parents are excited about our move.  Since Justin and I were married, they’ve been a lot more open to our relationship, and when the babies came, it was like they’d never felt differently about my life.  I know that it was a hard struggle to get back to this point.  I haven’t forgotten about the sacrifices I made to fall back in love with Justin again...

Braeden is still out there, and except for a few, everyone else seems to have forgotten about him.  My parents don’t even talk to the Sampsons anymore.  Hannah told me that, and I’m not sure who’s decision it was...my parents or Barbara and Sammy’s.  I haven’t asked.  I don’t want to, because I’m positive my parents don’t have a clue what Braeden did to his mother.  If they had, there’s no way they would have allowed Mark to be at the wedding.  It’s my not place to tell them about it.  I’d like Braeden to maintain a little bit of dignity with my parents if he happens to run into them again.

I was terrified when I found out the news from Mark, wanted to hate him for springing the information on my wedding day, but knew he was so distraught that he didn’t care what day it was. Justin got me through as best he could, and I tried very hard to put the situation out of my mind while we enjoyed our time in South Hampton. 

And then it was like...I couldn’t think about it anymore.  Once we got back, the boys needed our attention more than ever, and I had my pregnancy to focus on.  Braeden was in the past, and he wasn’t exactly calling me up and begging me to help him.  He was dealing with his issues, leaving me to live my life, because that was the way things had to be.

I hate it, but I forgot about him, and let my pregnancy, my marriage, and the boys rule my life, like they were supposed to.

The first two months were the worst with the babies.  Justin and I got no sleep at all, even though he would insist on doing the midnight and three am feedings, thinking I would get more that way.  He was wrong.  I would lie awake and listen to the baby monitor, smiling to myself whenever I would hear him shushing them or humming them back to sleep.  I love watching him with them.  It’s more than obvious how much he cherishes them, how dedicated he is and how he’ll always be.  He’s been making a valiant effort with the boys too, trying as hard as possible to get Austin back on our good side again.  His Christmas Day promise to buy him a car and teach him to drive once we got settled, seem to a crack a slight smile on his face.  It’s an attention thing with Austin, and we both know that.  I firmly believe once we’re settled, there will be more time to give it to him.

I keep telling myself that.  I have to, otherwise I’ll start to worry, and I can’t be a mess now.  There’s too much going on, and Justin has enough to worry about during this relocation process without me freaking out on him. 

“Granite countertops throughout.” David smiles as I finally enter the kitchen.  “Viking and Sub Zero appliances...” he trails off and walks to the center of the kitchen.  “A large island, and,” He points up at the ceiling.  “A lovely wrought iron chandelier, to set the mood.  It’s a chef’s dream.  Truly.”

I smile.  What does he want me to do? Somersaults? It’s luxurious.  He doesn’t have to sell me on that, but he doesn’t know my back story.  He doesn’t know that I don’t come from money, and that I would be fine living in a simple house in a low end area of town, just as long as I have my family.  This house is six and a half million dollars.  I can’t even factor in what his cut of that would be, but I’m sure he’s desperate to get his hands on the cash.  “It’s very nice.  The boys would have plenty of space here.”

“You should come out to see the pool a second time!  It’s a child’s dream, Abbey.”

“It’s fine...we saw enough of it when you showed us the house on Monday.  Justin and I will have to talk it over.”

It’s only our second viewing, but I know this is the house.  The pool area in the back is the perfect hangout for the boys and the friends they’ll make here.  There is an open air pool house attached with a bar, a fireplace, plumbing and wiring for cable.  There’s a movie theater here, six bedrooms, six and a half bathrooms, great room, dining room, a gym, a library, a study, a room that Justin has already told me would be perfect to display all of his art and keepsakes, along with a ton of other crap I have no idea how we would use.  The grounds are extensive, it’s like going to a park, which would always be able to remind Justin of the city.  What’s more, I can see us here. I can see my children growing up in this house, and that’s all it takes to sell me. 

It’s just crazy to think my husband and I can afford to live here.

“What’s the verdict?”

I turn.  Justin is standing in the kitchen entrance way along with the stroller.  I look at my babies.  Mason is fast asleep and Victoria is cooing and wiggling around as she waves her rattle in the air.  I smile.  “It’s nice, Justin.”

“That’s it?”

“I mean,” I laugh as I step towards him.  “It’s a great house, baby.”

He wraps his arms around me and kisses my forehead, and we both listen to Victoria making noise for a few moments, smiling at each other because of it, before Justin decides to speak up again.  “Do you want to live here?”

I sigh.  “I...I just can’t get over the cost.”

“The cost doesn’t matter.  I want you and the kids to be happy.”

I let out a long sigh.  I know he’s not going to back down unless I tell him I hate this house, but that would be a lie.  It’s like...fucking paradise or something, like I’d be on vacation every day.  “I love it here,” I reluctantly admit.

“Dave.”

He smiles at us.  “Sir?”

“We’ll take it.  Tell them six though.  Cash.  I saw a couple of chips in the steps on the front walk.  I want that cool painting in the foyer too.  They can take it or leave it.”

I laugh at him.  “Really?”

“Hey, I’m a finance guy.  I know how to barter like the best of them.”

I roll my eyes.

“Certainly, Mr. Timberlake.  I’ll submit your offer and have an answer for you by tomorrow afternoon.”

“Tomorrow morning, you mean.”  Justin flashes a cocky smirk as they shake hands.

I nudge him and narrow my eyes.  “The afternoon is fine, David.  Thank you.”

Getting under each others skin is something that comes with any relationship.  Justin has changed, yes, for the better.  He’s kind and caring now, will go the extra mile for somebody he cares about, but there’s still that part of him that’s cocky and arrogant, and sometimes it tends to show itself, especially when business is involved.  I guess that’s part of my job, to knock him down and remind him that the things he has aren’t the easiest to come by. 

“I’ll be in touch,” David smiles.  “Have a great afternoon.”

I flash him one more smile and pull myself away from Justin, taking charge of the stroller before I walk away from him and back outside.

“Ab...”

He knows I’m annoyed, and I smile to myself.

“Baby.”

I stop at our rental car and turn to him, doing my best to give him an annoyed expression.  “Hm?”  I bend down and start to unstrap Victoria from the stroller.

“I was just having some fun with him.”

“Ohhhh, okay.”  I pull my girl into my arms and rise to my feet again, and Justin is quick to open the back door for me so I can put her down into the car seat.  “I wasn’t aware that playing with peoples emotions could be so much fun.”  I belt her down into the seat and kiss her forehead before I can pull myself out of the car and look at my husband again.  “Remind me what’s fun about it, would you?”

“I...”  He frowns as he shoves his hands in his pockets and looks at the pavement.  “It’s not.”

“I hate when you do that.”  I say it roughly but I stroke his face, trying to tell him that I love him no matter what.  “You can be the nicest guy, Justin.  I want everybody to see that in you, not just me and the kids.”

“I-I’m sorry.  Ab...I...”

“I’m over it now.  Don’t worry about it.”  I kiss his cheek.  “Get Mason for me, would you?”

“Yeah.”

I get in the car while Justin puts Mason in his seat, and soon we’re on our way back to the hotel.  The house is in North Dallas, in a community called Preston Hollow.  It’s affluent, private, and only caters to the wealthy.  I’m used to the type of people that will be our neighbors, but know it’s going to be different from living in the city.  When I venture out with the boys now, I’m just any other New Yorker.  When we move here, I’ll be driving around in whatever type of car Justin deems worthy enough for myself and the kids.  People will know me, because they’ll know Justin.  I’m not sure I’ll love the attention, that people will know how rich I am whenever they see me, but I’ll put up with it for Justin’s sake.

He took me to see the building that will eventually become his firm a couple of days ago.  They’re starting renovations in a week or so, but Justin will be running his business in a rented office a few blocks down until they finish with the interior. It’s in a well to do area in Dallas’s financial district, mixed in with a bunch of other firms and corporations.  I’m sure Justin will have no problem networking himself.  In fact, when he took me up the buildings entrance, at least five men dressed in suits stopped us to say hello.  They all wanted to meet me and see the babies.  I couldn’t believe Justin had already made friends.

I know he’s going to take over this place.  Probably own half the area by the time he’s done building up his firm.  I’m happy for him...I just hope he doesn’t lose himself in the process.  Meaning, I hope he doesn’t forget why he’s made this move to begin with.

It wasn’t so he could create a new, massive, financial empire.

It was so he could be with us, all the time.  I haven’t expressed my concerns of course.  I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, because so much is going on.  He’s excited about the business, and he’s a new father.  I think I’d be jumping for joy too, and I understand why he’s getting a little cocky, letting himself slip up.  But I won’t tolerate it for a second once we’re settled here. 

I have no problem putting Justin in his place, and he knows that.

“You speak to your sister lately?”

I shrug.  “She called me on New Years Eve, why?”

He smirks a little as he continues to concentrate on the road.  “I just thought she might have said something to you, that’s all.”

“About?”

“I...I told your parents she was staying with us for Christmas.  Mark too.  They flew into New York one morning and I saw them off at Kennedy.”

I look over at him, feeling my eyes growing wide.  I have no idea what he did, but the fact that neither I or my parents had any idea where my sister was for the Christmas holiday, makes me want to kill him.  “Where the hell was she?”

He laughs.  “With Braeden.”

I just stare at him.

“I just thought it would be nice, you know? Mark needed his brother and I knew Hannah was the more responsible one, so I sent them both out there to see him.  It didn’t hurt anything.  She’s home now, right?”

“Justin...”  I shake my head roughly.  “You...I mean, what if something happened?  What if my parents called and asked to speak with her?”

“It didn’t though, and I sent your parents away on a cruise for the holiday.  They thought they won some kind of contest, remember?  Your parents were drunk as hell in the middle of the ocean, they weren’t thinking about Hannah.”

I remember.  My mother called me up a few days before Christmas, freaking out because she thought they’d won luxury accommodations for a Royal Caribbean cruise. I told Justin when he got home, and looking back on it now, I remember the mischievous gleam he had in his eyes.  What a plotter.  I want to be angrier at him, but...he did something so genuinely heart felt, that I can’t be.  “That’s...that’s not the point!”
r32;

“Fine.” He slaps his hand against the steering wheel in frustration.  “Just...never mind.  I did something nice for a guy that, in all honesty, I should hate.  Now you’re crucifying me.”

“I’m...I’m not saying it wasn’t nice.  It was, and I’m sure Mark and Braeden appreciated the gesture.  All I’m saying is that you could have told me what was going on.”

“Like you would have taken it well.”

“I would have been fine...”


r32;“You would have told me not to do it.  That’s why I didn’t tell you.”

I want to tell him he’s wrong, but I know he’s not.  I would have been against it simply because my parents wouldn’t know where my sister was for the holiday.  If something happened to them or to her, there would have been big issues.  At the same time though, Justin went out of his way to make Braeden’s holiday special when he didn’t have to.  Knowing that Braeden spent that time with his brother, gives me some peace of mind that he’s going to pull through what happened to his mom and to himself. 

I can’t deny it. Justin is a great guy, and today...I was a little hard on him.  He’s so cunning though.  He pulled this story out at just the right time to get himself off the hook.  I smirk.  “Fine.  I’m glad you did.  Braeden deserved a nice holiday.  His life has been hard enough.”

He nods.  “See?”

“You’re not off the hook.”
r32;“C’mon baby.”

Mason starts to wail.  He’s woken up, and now he’s hungry.  I groan.  “Justin...”r32;
“I’m really sorry about how I acted.”  He reaches over and gives my thigh a squeeze.  “All right?  I don’t want you mad at me.  We have too much going on.”

“Then don’t act like a cocky shit.”  I glare as I remove my seatbelt and turn around to tend to my boy. 

“Sometimes you like it.”

“In bed, yeah.  Not in front of a nervous realtor who’s trying to score the deal of his lifetime.”

“So I’ll be nicer.”

I sigh with relief when I get Mason to take his pacifier, and he quiets immediately.  Good.  I’ve bought myself some time until we get back to the room where I can give him a bottle in peace.  “You better be.”

I turn the radio up slightly after that, and pretend to be annoyed with him all the way back to the hotel.  I immediately give Mason his bottle when we get back to our suite, and Justin busies himself with changing Vicki, watching the news, and drinking some coffee.  I burp the baby once he finishes his bottle and put him down into one of the portable cribs that the hotel provided for us.  I move on to Vicki next, but Justin is already feeding her a bottle as he sits on the edge of the bed in the adjoining room.  I feel myself smile as I sit down beside him, and stroke Vicki’s head as she sucks her bottle down.

“Still annoyed?” He whispers, finally meeting my gaze.

I lean in and give him a long kiss on the mouth.  “A little.”

He gazes back at our girl, and smiles softly.  “I love you, Abbey.”

I squeeze his thigh.  “I love you too.”  I rest my head on his shoulder and we sit in silence together, simply taking in the joy of watching our daughter take her bottle, and I forget about the day and my frustrations with him.

Now that we’re alone together, I’m seeing the man I truly love again.  The daddy, the provider, and the man that would do anything for me.  I just...can’t be mad at him anymore, and I know that, even though a part of me still hates to let him off so easily.

We put Victoria down after she finishes her bottle and we burp her, and I willingly let Justin guide me back into the bedroom with him, knowing what’s most likely to take place next.  He says nothing to me, just smiles as he gently guides me down onto the bed and starts kissing my lips, and neck.  I’m naked before I know it, so is he, and we make love like that, there on the bed on top of the comforter.  It’s one of the last times we’ll get to be alone before we go back home to the boys, and begin to prepare for the move, and I make sure to cherish every touch, kiss, and caress that he gives to me.  The babies sleep, and it’s the first time in a great while that we’ve been able to be together without one of them crying.
“I’m a little scared.”  He whispers in my ear long after we finish, as he holds me in his arms and kisses my neck.  “About the move.”

“I think I am too.” I feel him rubbing my shoulders gently, and his lips brush against my collar bone after a moment.  I turn slightly in his arms so I can look at him, and find that he’s smiling at me gently.  “I guess I’m just afraid that something will go wrong.”

“I won’t let it.”

“Yeah but...”

“It’s the office isn’t it?”

I didn’t want to give that away.  Fuck.  I hate that he can just...read me like a book sometimes.  “I don’t know.  Maybe.”

“I’m not going to let it get in the way, Ab.  I...refuse to let it.  What we just did...giving Vic her bottle...that makes me want to be at home with you as much as I can.”

“But your career is important too.”

He kisses me.  “It’s not that important.  Nothing is as important as you and the kids.  Just...trust me, baby.  Give me a chance, and you’ll see it’s going to be fine.  The beginning stages of anything are always the craziest.  You should know.”

“Yeah,” I laugh.  “When I first met you I thought you were completely crazy.”

“And now?”

“You’re still crazy.”

“But you married me.”

“I never said that I wasn’t crazy too.  I’d have to be, and now I have to make sure our kids don’t end up just as crazy.”

He laughs heartily.  “You’re gonna pay for that.  You know that, right?”

“That was my plan, Timberlake.  Did you really think I was worn out?”

“I guess I’ll have to put you out of commission then.”  He climbs back on top of me, smiling, ready to take me all over again.

“WAHHHHHHHHH”

We groan in unison, and Justin’s lips pause on my skin.

Back to reality.

Sixty Seven by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Here you go! enoy!

I glance at my wrist watch.

8:57

Whenever I had an interview back in the beginning, I was always at least a half hour early, even earlier if I could be.

But this girl is about to be late, and I hate that.

She’s a member of Cheryl’s family, so of course I’m excited to give her a chance, but the fact that she doesn’t seem to be prompt is getting under my skin.  Well, I guess I’m not in the best mood this morning either.  Mason had a bad night.  He started to cry in the afternoon while Abbey and I were in bed.  He kept coughing and wheezing, just wouldn’t stop crying no matter what Abbey and I did to comfort him.  We checked him over and over again to make sure he wasn’t running a fever, and finally determined he was just having an off night.  He fell asleep in her arms this morning as I dragged myself out of bed, and I guess it’s better that he did this now, rather than when I really need to be on my A-game for work.  I told Abbey to stay put, to call to check in on the boys, and order in some breakfast for herself, before assuring her that I would be back around noontime to be with them again.  She didn’t ask questions.  She knows I have an interview this morning, and that I have to stop at a few places on the way back to sign off on some stuff.  We’re leaving tomorrow, so I have to make sure everything is in order before then.

Hopefully, I’ll have an assistant by the end of this trip too.  A prompt one.

9:00

Not looking good.

9:01

Late.

I rub my forehead with my hand, and sip my coffee.  Five minutes is my limit, after that, I’ll have to start posting adds on Monster...and deal with...weirdos.

Oh god.  I need Cheryl so bad.

“Mr. Timberlake?”

A young girl rushes up to the table, stinking of cigarette smoke, and I stare at her for a moment, before having to accept that she must be Jessica.  She’s dressed nicely, skirt and blouse with heels, and her makeup is simple, professional.  Typical for this type of work.  She has wavy, shoulder length brown hair, and big, vibrant brown eyes.  There’s a seriousness in them.  One that I’ve seen somewhere before, that I can’t quite place right now.  No matter.  I nod at her.  “Jessica right?”

She sticks her hand out automatically.  “Yes.  Jessica Mantieri.”

I shake it.  “Traffic?” I ask, as she slides into the seat adjacent from me in the booth.  

“Hm?”  She cocks her head to the side and her big brown eyes grow wider as she begins to dig through her oversized bag for something.

“You’re late.”

“Oh...”  She glances up at the clock on the wall as she pulls a manila folder out.  “I...”

“In this business, you realize you have to be ready to work on the dot of the hour, don’t you?  I mean, if you want to work for me anyway.”

“Y-yeah.”  She looks down at her lap.  “I’m really sorry.  I just...I was trying to get here.  I just...”

I wave my hand at her, as I catch myself.  I hear Abbey’s voice in the back of my mind, warning me to be a little bit nicer and more understanding, and weird as it is, something makes me pay attention to it.  “Stop,” I laugh.  “It’s...I’ll let it go for today, all right?  You’re Cheryl’s niece.  It’s the least I can do.”

She smiles slightly.  “Thank you.”

“Is that the resume?” I say, acknowledging the folder in her hands.

“Oh...yeah.”  She smiles uneasily as she passes it across to me.  

I open it up and scan the paperwork for a few minutes.  The first thing I read about is her army history.  She spent a year in basic training, and another year at Fort Hood, before she was deployed.  “You just got back from Afghanistan?”

“About six months ago.” She sits up a little taller and clears her throat.  “I thought my aunt might have told you.”

“She told me you were in the army...”  I shouldn’t be so hesitant.  It’s just that...I know from experience how these people fresh from the war zone can be.  Braeden was a prime example, but I guess I shouldn’t discriminate.  This job is so important, though.  She’s going to have to be my sanity while we get this place up and running.  I want to trust her and look past her military background, but...I have to be sure that she’s cut out for this.  “I’m just trying to figure out if you’re ready for this type of work.”

“I’ve been in school.  I work in the admissions office a couple of days a week too, doing some filing.  I’m not...crazy...” she trails off and laughs.  “You can call and ask them.”

“No, I’m not saying you are...”

“I expect this,” she speaks up, sadly.  “We get a bad rap.  You know, fresh off the war zone...people think we’ve been tortured.  I wasn’t.  I...I had a decent run over there, but I’m trying to get on with my life now.  I’m not reenlisting or anything, I’m just trying to focus on school.  I need a job though, and my aunt called and said this would be a good opportunity for my resume.  She said you would be willing to give me a chance.”

I blow out a long breath, feeling like shit for tearing into her.  I remember Cheryl now, how hard she’s worked for me, and know that giving her niece a fair interview will be like payback in a way.  I break down and decide to ask her the normal interview questions that I always do after that.  I ask her about her family background, where she thinks she’ll be in five years, what her strengths and weaknesses are.  Her answers are all normal and what I like to hear.  She’s from Chicago.  The youngest of five children, all boys.  It’s no wonder she was able to make it through the military.  It tells me that she’s strong.  Stronger than I thought she was.  She’s smart too.  Very smart and independent.  A thinker, a self starter.  A problem solver.  A listener.  

I suddenly realize I’m not going to find anybody else that’s better than her, without putting in a lot of time an effort that I don’t have right now.  I can hire her and be done with the headache, get back to Abbey and my children that much faster.  “Do you think you can start next week?”

She shrugs slowly.  “Well...I’d miss class.  They start up again on Monday.  I was hoping I could arrange my schedule next week and start the week after.”

“Miss Mantieri, with all due respect, I’m trying to get my business off the ground.  I need to sit down and go over some things with you, but before I can, I have to go back home and finalize things.  I need you to be at the temporary office to take phone calls and communicate with me over the phone and through emails while I’m away. I’m sure you can manage to work your school schedule around your office time.  I’ll be gone two weeks at the most.”

She sucks in her bottom lip.  I know I’ve caught her in the middle, and she’s not sure what she’s getting herself into.  I wonder how much Cheryl has told her about working for me, if Jessica just thought this was going to be a la dee da filing job like the one she has at her school.  I’m not sure, but it shouldn’t matter.  I’m her boss, and it’s her job to do the work the way I want.

“Well...I...I guess I can do it.”

“You guess?”

She narrows her eyes at me, like she’s annoyed.  It’s the same look I’ve seen on my wife’s face a thousand times before, except...she’s allowed to do that.  “I said I can, didn’t I?”

It takes me a moment to make my final decision.  I’m not a fan of her attitude, I know that, or the fact that she wasn’t prompt, but what other choice do I have? We’re down to the wire, and I need somebody capable and smart.  “Fine.  Then I’ll be expecting you to be at the office Monday morning, eight am, sharp.  I’ll leave you keys, security codes, and the appropriate ways I can be reached.  I’ll be calling you right at eight.”

We both get up.

“Thank you, sir.”

I shake her hand, but don’t smile as I pull back from her and start to exit the diner.

“Oh, and Jessica,” I call back over my shoulder.

Her head snaps back up.  “Yes?”

“Lose that attitude before then.”

I walk out without giving her a second look, and walk back to my car, letting out a long, relieved sigh.  I think this will work out.  I know I’ve intimidated her, and that usually makes people perform better, at least at Goldman.  Yeah, I think I’ve made a good choice in Jessica, and I smile a little with that in mind.  It’s one less thing I have to worry about.  I get into my car after that and scroll through my Blackberry, trying to figure out what’s next on my morning agenda.  I sigh when I find that the list is still extensive, and start to wonder if I’m going to be able to meet that noon deadline with Abbey after all.

The phone rings.  It’s her, and I smile.  “Hey baby.”

The first thing I hear is a baby screaming it’s head off.  I frown.  It has to be Mason.  “Abbey?”

“I don’t know what’s wrong with him, Justin.  He’s wheezing again.  It’s worse than last night.”

She’s sobbing.  It’s serious.  Mason has to be sick.  “I’ll...I’ll be right there.  I’m a few miles away, okay?”

“Just hurry.”

I do about ninety miles an hour down the road, double park the car in the fire lane, and race up the fire stairs to the twentieth floor of the hotel.  Abbey is standing in the middle of the main room when I burst through the door, holding Mason in her arms as he screams and coughs, trying to catch his breath.  I take him from her, rock him gently in my arms, and try my best to calm him.  “Get Vicki.  We have to go to the ER.”

She nods her head rapidly, not saying a word as more tears glide down her face and she begins to prepare Vicki for the trip.  I dial down to the desk and ask them the best way to the hospital, and explain the situation.  The woman wants to call me an ambulance, but I’m so paranoid that I refuse.  I’m determined to get us there myself, and so, she gives me the address to the nearest hospital, which thankfully is only about ten minutes away.

I speed there.  Abbey yells at me the whole way, telling me to slow the hell down as Mason continues to scream.  It makes Vicki scream and cry too.  I’m sweating, trembling as I grip the steering wheel.  This is all on me, and I know that.  

If something happens to him, I’ll never forgive myself.

I jolt the car to a stop in front of the ER’s main entrance, and get Mason out of his seat, leaving Abbey to tend to Victoria as I race inside, panicked.  The nurse is alarmed when I reach her desk, and I guess most people would be.  I know I’m crying now, worried fucking sick about my Mason.  “He’s...he’s...I dont’ know...”

“Sir...calm down.”  The nurse gets up and waves somebody over as she comes around the desk and gazes down at Mason.  “What happened?”

“I...I don’t know.  It’s like, he can’t breathe.  He was wheezing last night, but it wasn’t this bad...I should have taken him to you last night but...fuck...”

How could I let this happen?

How could I turn a blind eye to his ailment, think he would be fine? Go have a meaningless interview while he was suffering and could have...died?

I’m a terrible father.  He’s barely been alive for three months and already I’m putting business first.

What the hell is wrong with me?

A doctor comes up to us after a moment, and the nurse whispers something to him.  After, he takes Mason from my arms, and tells me to take the elevator up to pediatrics. Then, my baby is whisked away.  I can hear his violent screams all the way down the hall.

“Where is he?”

I turn.  Abbey is standing there, with Victoria in the carrier, the tears still running down her ghost white face.  She’s worried sick.  I go to her and kiss her on the lips before pulling her close to me.  “The doctor took him to pediatrics.”

“Wh-what’s wrong with our baby, Justin?”

I shake my head slowly.  “I don’t know.”

I take her by the hand after that and we silently ride the elevator to the appropriate floor.  Victoria coos and squeals happily all the way, oblivious to what’s happening.  That’s good I guess, but she’s just a baby and wouldn’t know what was going on regardless if Mason was sick or not.  The nurse at the desk escorts us to the intensive care waiting area, and tells us the doctor will fill us in once there are more details, before giving me a few forms to fill out for the insurance.  I finish them quickly, and then we just sit there, not speaking, not looking at each other for the longest time.  Abbey starts to whimper again.  It’s obvious she can’t control it, and I know I have to be the strong one.  I have to stand by her and get her through this, no matter what happens.

“Shh.”  I slowly drape my arm around her and pull her head down to rest against my shoulder.  “He’s gonna pull through.”

“What if he doesn’t?” She squeaks.  “Justin...”

“He’s a Timberlake.”  I smirk as I kiss her forehead.  “We’re survivors.  You know that.”

Victoria starts to have one of her freak outs, and so I force myself to pull away from Abbey so I can reach down into the carrier and pull her into my arms.  I kiss her forehead a few times and gently bounce her in my arms as I gently guide the pacifier back through her bright pink lips.  I get it in and smile as she quiets.  

“Mr, and Mrs. Timberlake?”

Abbey and I jump up from our seats at the same time as the doctor stops in front of us.

“Is my baby okay?” Abbey blurts out, sniffling loudly as she wipes at her eyes.  

“He will be,” the doctor smiles.  “He’s lucky though.  If you two hadn’t thought to bring him in when you did, the results could have been much worse.”

She breaths out a relieved sigh, and starts to cry all over again.

“What...what’s wrong with him?” I ask, as I allow Abbey to cry into my chest.

“Seems like he got himself a bee sting on his head.  His hair was covering it, so you never would have seen it,” the doctor smiles.  “Were you outside at all yesterday?”

 “Yeah.  We...we’re buying a house.”

“Well, your boy is allergic.  You’ll have to be careful from here on, make sure he’s protected when he’s in places that flying insects like to dwell.  He’ll be fine.  We have him on some anti inflammatories and antibotics at the moment, and we’ll keep him for overnight observation.”

“Overnight? No...” Abbey trails off and shakes her head roughly.  “No.”

I rub her shoulder consolingly.  She has this thing about being away from them for any amount of time.  Its a big part of the reason why they’re here with us in Dallas, because Shawna offered to take the week off to watch them, so we could make this trip without them.  Abbey wouldn’t hear of it though.  She’s so attached to them, hell, I am too, so I can understand.  “Baby, they have to.  They need to make sure that he’s okay.”

“I’m sleeping here,” she says automatically.  “With him.  By his bed.”

The doctor smiles.  “That’s just fine, ma’am.”

“Can we see him?” I ask.

“Sure.  This way.”

He takes us inside the room where Mason is, and I continue to hold Victoria in my arms as Abbey gasps and rushes to the little plastic bed that he’s being kept in.  He has a few tubes running in and out of him, and I have to look away at one point because it’s so gut wrenching to see.  I feel like I did this.  That I should have known better...been more careful.

Thank God he’s all right.  That’s all that keeps repeating in my brain.  Thank God. Thank God. Thank God.  I eventually sit down in a chair beside Abbey and the crib, close my eyes while keeping Victoria snug against my chest, relieved that nothing else is going to go wrong today.  Things are going to be different after this though, I know that.  I’m going to be more on the ball, a hell of a lot more attentive, and I absolutely refuse to let work get in the way.  The solution is to hire more people to do the things that I normally do, so I can be around for my family a hundred percent.

I’m not going to allow anything else to hurt them again.  Ever.

And if that means working my people to the bone, so be it.  

“The realtor called,” Abbey whispers after a long while.  “He said the offer is good.  The owners will be out in a week and a half.”

I wish I could be happier about the news.  Right now, I’m so distraught, I couldn’t care less.  “That’s good, Ab.”

She turns to me.  “We should have brought him here last night.”

“We didn’t know.”

She nods.  “I knew something was wrong...I just...I didn’t want you to worry, so I let it go.”

“Babe...” I trail off and get up so I can stand right beside her, and place a reassuring hand on her cheek as I cradle Victoria with my other arm. “We’re new at this.”

“That’s not an excuse.”  She turns back to Mason, and gently grasps his tiny hand in hers.  “He could have...something horrible could have happened.”

“But it didn’t.”

“That doesn’t make us any less irresponsible, Justin.  I mean, we were having sex and Mason was sick!  What happens when we move? When the boys are here too, and I’m trying to handle four kids at once while you’re at work?  What if I neglect Mason or Victoria then?”

Victoria begins to cry, and it distracts me.  I know she’s due for a bottle, but unfortunately, we rushed out of the hotel so quickly, I know all of our supplies are back in the room right now.  I hold her in both of my arms and rock her gently, trying to get her to calm down enough so I can focus on my overly distraught wife.  “Abbey...”

“Look, just go back,” she whimpers.  “All I’m doing is making things harder on you.”

“That’s not it...”

“Please, just go, okay?  I’ll call you in the morning, when Mason is ready.”

I adjust Victoria in my arms and fumble with her pacifier, which she keeps refusing.  “What’s the sense in pushing me away?”r32;
She turns back to Mason.  “I need to think for a while.”

“About what?”

A surge of fear sweeps over me.

“Maybe we shouldn’t move.”

My mouth drops open.  “What?”

“You heard the doctor, we’re going to have to watch out for bugs.  There’s tons more down here than there are in New York.”

“That’s a really stupid reason to cancel our lives.  There’s a million things we can do to prevent this from happening to him in the future.”

“Are there really?”  She glances back at me over her shoulder.  “Or are you just saying that because your precious business might get fucked up if we stay in the city?”

I glare at her, and shake my head.  “You’re...you’re out of it, you know? I’m doing this for us, Abbey.  You know that.”

“I just...I just don’t know right now, J.”

“You know...fuck this.” I let out a bitter laugh.  “I...I can’t believe you right now.  Don’t you realize how many sacrifices I’ve made to get us to this point?”

“Because it’s all about you, as always.  Don’t think about me, you know? I’m just the one who spent the last few months in fucking bed, while you went out and conquered the damn world every day.”

She’s angry at herself.  I keep telling myself that.  It’s not me.  It’s not Dallas.  It’s the simple fact that our baby is sick and she feels responsible.  I wish I could convince her otherwise, but right now, I feel like I need to back off.  She’s like me in some ways.  She can get scared, push people and things away from her without realizing how important they are.  “I can’t do this with you right now.  I’m just gonna go, all right?”

“Give me the baby.”  She reaches out for Victoria.

I back away.  “I got her.  She needs a bottle and her crib.”

“I said give her to me,” she whimpers.

“No.” I just refuse.  I refuse not because I want to tear Abbey away from her daughter, but because I know what’s best, and right now, the hospital and a distraught Abbey isn’t the right mix for Vickie.  “C’mon, Ab.  You know she can’t stay here all night.  She’ll be a mess tomorrow.”

She closes her eyes and lets out a long breath, like it’s killing her to agree with me.  “Fine, but you better keep an eye on her.”

She says it to me so coldly, like I’m a shitty father.  I kiss Mason’s forehead quickly, and then I storm out on her without saying anything else.

It’s the first time I’ve left her without telling her I love her since we got back together.

I hate this.  

It’s fucking ridiculous.

But there’s nothing I can do.

I take my time driving Victoria and I back to our hotel. I think about everything on the way.  I think about the first time I ever laid eyes on Abbey, the way she was able to put me in my place that very night at my place, even though I tried to act so damn unfazed.  I remember the way I felt about her after I barked an order at her to bake a million cupcakes for Austin.  How I lied awake in bed and wished somebody like that could be in my life, rather than trashy hoes who only saw me for what I had and not who I was.
And then...it happened, because she changed me, and fell in love with that person.

Now she’s my wife, and I...I would do anything for her, for my brothers, and for our children.  Does she still believe that? I mean, up until this moment I was sure that she did.  I guess seeing her baby lying in the hospital has warped her, made her rethink a lot of things, and now she’s questioning everything about the life we’re recreating for the good of our family.

This is a step back for us, and I don’t know what the hell I’m supposed to do to fix it.

I get us back to the hotel, and lay Victoria face up on the bed as I prepare her bottle.  She wriggles around, laughs and smiles as I stand over her.  I do my best to keep a smile on my face, sing her a silly little rendition of “Old MacDonald,” while I wait for the bottle to warm up.  I sit back against the headboard and cradle her gently in my arms as I feed her.  She stares up at me with those eyes as she takes the bottle, and it takes me away for a little while.  Reminds me why I love Abbey, reminds me of how hard we worked to get to this point in our lives.  Our love is strong.  Stronger than anything I’ve ever known, and I know...I know she’s angry and said stupid things, but that doesn’t mean we’re going to be apart or anything.

Tomorrow.  Tomorrow everything will be fine.

I burp her once she finishes her bottle, and change her diaper before putting her down in the crib.  I move it right next to my bed, so I can watch over her while she lays there and dozes off, and soon enough, I’m drifting off myself.  I forget about my interview this morning, forget about all the errands I was supposed to run today.  None of that matters right now.  

The only thing that matters, is my family, and I’ll do whatever it takes to get Abbey through this, so we can move forward.

That's what marriage is all about, after all.

Sixty Eight by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
enjoy!

March

Justin and I have been working hard on our relationship since the episode at the hospital.  We’ve had to.  Our fight was horrible, and I never, ever want to treat him that way again.  Mason was just fine the next day.  They released him early, and gave me a couple of prescriptions before sending us on our way.  

As I sat in the hospital lobby with him in my arms, I didn’t know what the hell I was going to tell Justin when he arrived to pick us up.  I knew I didn’t mean the things I said to him.  I was just terrified because something had happened to Mason, and I felt I didn’t handle it proper way.  The thought that he could have gotten worse...could have possibly died if we let the situation go on any longer, took over me completely.  I felt irresponsible and I didn’t think about Justin’s perspective.  He was the strong one, the one who kept his hopes high and knew Mason would be okay.  I forgot to remember the valiant way Justin came to the rescue, got us to the hospital, and made sure a doctor saw our baby right away.  He dropped everything for us, just like he always promised me that he would.  I only seemed to understand that after I yelled at him, and acted like he was nothing more than a selfish bastard.

I was terrified of what he might say to me when he arrived at the hospital that morning.  Terrified...that he wouldn’t want to be with me anymore.

“Hey.”

I was sobbing as I cradled Mason in my arms, and couldn’t look at him, even though I knew he was standing right in front of me.  “Hi.”

“C’mon.  You ready?”

When I finally managed to look up at him I found that Victoria was sound asleep in her carrier.  Justin had dressed her properly, made sure she had her little hat on and was comfortable.  He’d taken care of her while I was gone.  Of course he would have though.  He would do anything for our children...sacrifice himself.  There was no reason for me to think differently.

But I had.

And I was so wrong for that.

I silently put Mason in his own carrier and slowly walked out to the car with Justin.  He put Victoria in first, and then took Mason from me gently, but didn’t look at me at all.  Then he motioned for me to get into the car, and soon enough we were on our way.  It was deadly silent, and all I could do was look down at my lap as Justin drove on.  

“The boys are going to the zoo today,” he finally spoke up.  “Trace and Shawna are taking them.  I said I didn’t care if they missed school.”

Normally it would have pissed me off, but at that moment, I was too upset with the situation to care.  “Okay.”

“What’d the doctor say?”

“That Mason will be okay.  They gave me some prescriptions.  One of them they want him to take for the next few months, and the other one we can give to him if he gets bit or stung again. They said we won’t know if the allergy is permanent or not until he’s at least a year old.”

He nodded.  “I figured we’d stay the night and head back to Manhattan tomorrow.”

“All right.”

“I’ll call Dave when we get to the hotel and tell him the deal is off on the house too.  I’ll probably have to fly back out here in a month to get all the construction cancellations taken care of, but after that...it’ll be like we were never here.”

He took what I said about the move to heart, but I knew that he would.  No matter what good fortune laid in store for him in Dallas, the only thing that mattered to him was his family’s happiness.  He was willing to stay in New York and figure something else out simply so I wouldn’t be angry with him, or be paranoid about Mason anymore.  It wasn’t fair.  He threw Goldman away for my sake and had nothing else lined up in the city.  I had no idea what he was supposed to do if we didn’t move, and the more I thought about it, the more I knew I loved the neighborhood and the house we found together, and I wanted to raise our family there more than anything. “I wasn’t thinking when I said I didn’t want to move.”

“Could’ve fooled me.”

I sighed.  “Justin...”

“Look...I just...I don’t know what to say to you Abbey.  You made your point pretty fucking clear yesterday, you know?  Now you’re miraculously changing your mind?”

“I was afraid.”

“Yeah, well I can’t promise you that I won’t get busy at times, either.  It’s business and things happen, but I’m making our family a priority as best as I can.  I don’t need you freaking out and treating me like I’m a deadbeat father if I have to work late once or twice a month.  Putting up with that yesterday was enough for me.”

“You really think I feel that way?”

He sighed and licked his lips before gripping the steering wheel tighter.  His eyes grew small and extremely focused on the road, and I knew he was doing everything he could to keep his emotions in check while the babies were in the car.  “You made me feel like shit yesterday.”

It was all he had to say to get his point across.

“I know that.”

“You think that...you think that I would ever put these kids second?  I got caught up a little on this trip, Abbey.  I’m admitting that, and I feel like shit for it. Things are starting to come together and I’m starting to realize that I have to take some pressure off of my shoulders and hire more people.  I can’t do everything myself anymore.  I blame myself for what happened to Mason too, you know? But...shit, I would never...I would never...let anything hurt him, or any of the kids, intentionally.”

He stopped speaking, and then I saw a solitary tear slide down his face.  I reached out and gently placed my hand on his thigh, rubbing it gently, trying to show him that I was sorry.  That I loved him.  “I don’t want you to cancel anything.  I want to move here, Justin.  I do, and I’m so sorry about...the way I acted.  I was out of my mind.”

He just sighed and gently pushed my hand away.

We didn’t talk the rest of the way to the hotel, and when we got there, Justin took Victoria into the bedroom with some bottles, a diaper bag, and extra formula, making sure to close the door so he could shut me out.

I knew I deserved it, but it didn’t make the pain inside of me go away.  I tried to stop crying as I fed Mason, changed his diaper and put him down for a nap.  I positioned myself on the couch after that, mindlessly flipping through the television stations. Justin stayed in the bedroom, and I could hear Victoria giggling and squealing from time to time as he spoke to her.  Despite everything, he was keeping his mood pleasant for our daughter, and it made me smile.

I wanted to be in there with him so bad, but I knew he was very angry, and needed his space from me.

I spent the night on the couch, Mason in his crib at my side.  It was very weird to wake up with him alone, and feed him, and I’m sure it was the same way for Justin with Victoria.  When the morning came, I was fully expecting him to tell me he was done with me too.

“Hi.”

He was sitting on the end of the sofa with my feet in his lap, looking like he’d been waiting there for hours until I finally woke up.  I sat up slowly, not sure what to think, but I managed a small smile for him.  “Hey.”

“I love you.”  He leaned closer to me, his expression serious as he stroked my face with his hand.

“I love you too.”

He sighed and pressed his lips together.  “I don’t want to fight, and I definitely don’t want to sleep alone again.”

I shook my head.  “Neither do I.”

He kissed me passionately, and then he took me by the hand and led me back into our bedroom.  That was the end of our fight.  The first major one since we’d been married.

Make up sex is wonderful, by the way.

The next two weeks would send us into overdrive. The movers were there the second day we were back in the city, beginning to pack and ship the bulky and extremely fragile items in the penthouse out to Texas first.  I don’t know how much Justin paid them, but due to the extreme care they paid with each and every piece of furniture and art, my guess was that Justin had given them a bonus right off the bat.  I was thankful though.  They made my job that much easier.  I was only packing the essential items that I knew we would need right away.  Most of our household items were donated, because Justin assured me we would be replacing them to match the interior of the house.  Davey was a big help too, picking out the things he wanted to keep versus what he didn’t, and made sure to remind me that all of the toys he no longer wanted had to be put in the donation box at his school, so other children could use them.

He’s so sweet, so genuine.  He’s going to be one of those people who grows up to be a humanitarian, because he loves to help other people, even now.  I wish I could say the same for Austin.  Right now, he’s impossible, and during the move he was less than cooperative.  

At times, I wanted to strangle him.

First of all, he wanted to keep everything, but Justin and I were firm, telling him we didn’t want to take garbage with us to the new house.  He actually cried when I went through his closet one day and started throwing out clothes he’d grown out of.  Some of the items he had since he lived in Memphis, one hooded sweatshirt in particular he wore almost everyday when I first started taking care of him.  It was old, full of holes, smelled funky, and I knew it had to go.

“No!”  He screamed at me when I put it into the garbage pile in the middle of his floor.  “No! That’s mine!”  

“Austin.”  I sighed, because I was frustrated.  I wanted to get the house packed up quickly, and Austin was preventing me from doing that.  In the midst of packing up, people were starting to come and look at Justin’s place too.  While he was keeping the house in the Hamptons for summer trips, he would have no use for the penthouse once we moved to Dallas.  I hated being there when the realtor would be showing the place, but there was no choice.  We had to be out, and Justin wanted to sell as fast as he could.

“But it’s mine!”  He frantically dug into the pile to retrieve it and hugged it close to his chest.  “You didn’t ask me!  You said you were gonna ask me first!”

“It’s full of holes, and it stinks.”

“It was my dads!”

“Oh.”

Awkward silence ensued.  While things had gone great in Memphis with the adoption, I knew there was a big part of Austin that still wouldn’t let go of his past.  He was different from Davey.  Davey was just thrilled to have a family, excited to move and make new friends.  His school had worked wonders for him, gave him a whole new enthusiasm about life and about Justin and I as his parents.  I knew he would always remember his mother and father, but he was learning to live with their absence, and he was enjoying being a happy kid again.

Austin just couldn’t do it, and I knew that he never had therapy after they passed.  He just sort of lived with it, and when I came along, I helped him to recover the best I could.  But the birth of the twins changed him.  He didn’t want to talk to me as often once that happened, and definitely didn’t indulge himself in the family time that Justin worked so hard to create for all of us. He preferred to hole himself up in his room with his video games, and I hated the fact that Justin and I seemed to let it go as if we didn’t care.

We did care.  Of course we did, but with three other children to think about, it was difficult to focus on him and only him, like I knew he wanted us to.

I think the one thing that set him over the edge, was the fact that Kimberly wouldn’t be moving down to Dallas with us after all.  Justin asked her to do it, for the boys’ sake, even said he would buy and furnish a house for her, but she still told him no.  Her roots are in Memphis, and she’s happy there.  She doesn’t want to leave.  Justin and I could understand, and remained happy with the fact that she wanted to visit us a few times out of the year.  Davey was fine with that too.  

But Austin took it hard.  I knew he did, because he seemed to build a new barrier around himself after she went back to Memphis.

“You just...you don’t care about my stuff!” Austin continued to yell at me.  “You just want to throw it out so you can have more room for the babies!”

“Austin,” I scoffed.  “Now you’re being ridiculous.  If you want the hoodie, take it.  I’m sorry that I didn’t realize what it was.”

“You never realize anything anymore.”

He was giving me a dark look, and I sighed.  “Let’s talk.”

Then Victoria started to cry.  It was horrible timing.

“Guess we can’t now.”

He walked away from me.

That’s when things really started to go downhill with him.

That’s...that’s when I lost him, I think.  Completely.

I miss him.  So much.

By the end of the second week, the penthouse was completely empty.  We spent the last couple of nights with Trace and Shawna, who were happy to help, even though the babies were still crying sometimes in the middle of the night.  They had turned into the best friends we could have asked for, and while it would be easier for Shawna and I to be apart, I knew that Trace and Justin were having a harder time with it.  Of course they sucked it up in front of us, acted like it was no big deal, but I knew there was more to it.  Sometimes the four of us would be sitting on the sofa watching the TV, and those two would be so quiet.

I knew it was killing them, because their friendship would never be completely the same.    Texas might as well have been on another planet, and although I knew Trace and Shawna would visit, and we would do the same, our friendship would inevitably drift.  We would make new friends, and so would they.

I never thought I would be...sad, to leave Trace Ayala back in New York City, but the truth was, I had tears in my eyes the morning he and Shawna said their goodbyes to us at the airport.

“Make sure you call me if he starts to get out of line,” Trace smirked as Justin hugged Shawna goodbye.  “I know you’re pretty good at keeping his ass in check...but still.”

I laughed as I hugged him close, and he returned the embrace.  “I’ll keep my eye on him.”

“Thank you,” he whispered, so nobody else would be able to hear him.  “For everything.”

“You better be engaged the next time I see you,” I laughed as we pulled apart from each other.  

“Hey, she’s living with me.  One thing at a time.”

I narrowed my eyes at him.  “Next time I see you, Ayala.”

“I’ll do my best.”  He kissed my cheek once more.

Shawna and I said our last goodbyes after that.  She thanked me for being her friend, even if we wouldn’t get to see each other all that much, and I thanked her for nagging me enough to get me on that date with her.  If she hadn’t, I don’t know if Justin and I ever would have gotten back together.  We promised to call and write emails to each other.

Justin and Trace shook hands, before finally breaking down and hugging each other.  I knew how much emotion was behind it.  They’d endured so much together, been through it all, and even if parts of their friendship were fucked up, nobody could deny how much they’d done for each other.  

Then it was really time to go.

Justin and I had a hard time pulling Austin and Kristy apart.  They just...didn’t want to be separated, and Trace had to hold his daughter back as we dragged Austin to the security checkpoint.  I felt horrible about it.  The girl was his best friend and Austin had a hard time making friends as it was, but there was no choice.  Kristy’s place was with Trace and Shawn and Austin’s was with us.

He cried the whole flight, and we let him, figuring he would get over it once he started school and made some new friends.

Unfortunately, the friends he would make would be the worst kind.

We enrolled Austin in an all boys private school.  It comes highly recommended, but the main reason I favored this one is because they have a great arts program.  I thought Austin would appreciate it, because of his love for theater and music.  But I quickly realized he wanted nothing to do with that hobby anymore after the first couple of weeks we were in Dallas.  He told us he was too old and that none of his friends were into it.  Justin didn’t seem to mind, but I did.  I really wanted him to stick with it, because he was good at it.

But Austin didn’t care about that, or anything else, it seemed.

Davey is still enrolled in a special school, but he really seems to like it there.  He’s been making friends, and his teacher is wonderful, so patient and kind, and I think Davey might be even happier here than he was in Brimwood.  I don’t have to worry about him most days, because I know he’s being taken care of, and that’s good because the twins are still taking up my time when he gets home from school.  He comes home in a good mood, tries to help me with what he can, but I usually have him focus on his homework.  Child labor isn’t exactly my forte, and I’m determined to take care of the babies on my own while Justin is at work.

He’s been trying to talk me into hiring a nanny, just so I can have some peace during the day, but I won’t hear of it.  I don’t want a stranger raising my children for me, and I’ve made that clear to him.  He got me on the maid thing though, sadly enough.  I tried to keep up with the housework when we first moved out here, but after the first couple of weeks, Justin could tell I was overburdened and hired two cleaning ladies without a second thought.  I wanted to be angry with him, but I couldn’t be.  This house is massive, and I can’t keep up with the messes and the laundry with four kids and a husband in the house.  They come three times a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and they are pleasant and respectful, don’t try to take over or invade my space.  It’s a huge, huge help, and I’m thankful for it, but I will never crack down and hire a nanny.

I’m a better mother than that.

“C’mon May.”

He turns his head away.

I push the eyedropper closer to his mouth.  “Please?”

“Ba ba ba ba ba ba.”  Victoria squeals and pounds her tray with a wide smile.  “BA BA BAAH!!”

I hang my head low, and let out a long, miserable sigh.  I just fed her, and now she’s hungry for more.  She’s like Mason now, a little body with a huge appetite.  They’ve been doing well here, the twins, but they’re so young that they’re able to adapt to anything.

“Abbey! Abbey can we go play outside now?”

I glance over my shoulder.  Davey is standing there with Brian, his little friend from school, at his side.  He’s over here most afternoons and weekends, and Davey goes to his house too.  His parents are nice.  Justin and I met them at a couple of weeks after we got settled at the house, and are good friends now.  We’ve gone out to dinner with them once or twice, leaving the twins with their niece who is very reliable and first aid certified.  Brian’s father is a banker so that gives him and Justin and a lot to talk about, and his mother is like me....she relocated here with her husband so they could have more of a family lifestyle.  We go shopping and have coffee binges together.  She can be a great dose of sanity at times.  I’m glad Davey has made a friend he can count on too.  Brian is a good kid, brings out the best in Davey and that’s all I’ve ever wanted for him.

“Can you guys just wait a little while?  I’m trying to give him his medicine.”

“But we’re bored!”

I sigh heavily.  “Fine...but make sure you stay in the back and away from the pool.  Got it?”

“Yeah! Okay! Thanks!”

They run off, and I know that they’ll be preoccupied for the rest of the afternoon.

Good choice, Ab.

‘BA BA BA BA BA.”

“Mason,” I coo, ignoring my daughter for the moment.  “C’mon baby.  Gotta take your medicine for mama okay?”

He turns his head the other way.

Damn.

“Abbey?”

I look over my shoulder.  Austin is standing there, his backpack slung over his shoulder.  He looks like he’s ready to go someplace, and I for one, am not going to have him galavanting around with those troublemakers he considers his friends today.  He does it too often, and lately, I feel like I have no idea what he’s even doing when he’s with them.  “What’s up?”

“Can I go to Adventure Landing with Chris and Matt?  I can sleep at one of their houses.”

“I...I’m not sure I want you going out with them so much,” I tell him.  “Actually, can you do me a favor and go keep an eye on your brother out back? You know that pool makes me paranoid.”

“I watched him yesterday.”

“I know...”  I pick Mason up and cradle him in my arms, as I try to force the medicine in his mouth once more.  He starts having a freak out though, and I’m forced to put him back in the high chair.  “But I’m...I’m asking you to give me a little help right now too, all right?  Invite someone from your class over here.  That boy Kyle seems nice.  His mother gave me their number.  You might have fun together.”

“Kyle Sullivan? He’s the biggest loser in school!  You can’t pick my friends.”  

“Maybe not, but the kids you hang around with right now, don’t seem to be the best influences either.  Your grades are down, Austin.  I’d prefer if you wouldn’t hang out with them anymore.”

He glares at me.  “This is bullshit.  You’re just jealous!  It’s not my fault you popped out a couple of brats and now you’re stuck in the house all the time.  I’m going, and you can’t stop me.”

“Austin! I already told you no.”

“You’re a bitch!  I don’t care what the stupid paper says!  You’re just...you’re Justin’s wife and...and as soon as I get old enough I’m going to get my name off the adoption paperwork!”

I stare at him, the tears gliding down my face as he storms away from me.  The door slams next.  He’s gone against my wishes.

But what else is new?

He just keeps getting worse.  That little spat will cost him.  I’ll be talking to Justin about it and he won’t take it lightly at all.  He’s become the enforcer with Austin, but I’ve demanded it, because I can’t control him anymore.

He’s fifteen now, and such a far cry from my friend Austin, who I used to treasure spending time with.  I really don’t know what’s happened, because I’ve tried.  I’ve tried everything for the couple of months we’ve been here to get things back to the way they used to be, but he just...he’s just slipped further and further away. If I had more time to myself I would probably cry about it more than I do.

But the twins and Davey keep me busy, and my marriage takes up the rest of my time.

I finally get Mason to take his medicine, and then I give Victoria a bottle.  After, they both need a diaper change, and I’m never more thankful when I finally put them down into their cribs in the nursery.  I feel like I’ve been going since six am.  Hell, I know I have.  Now it’s a little after five, and I’m completely exhausted.  What’s worse is Justin will be home soon, and I need to get dinner started for him.  No, he’s not some barbarian who expects a hot meal waiting for him, but these first few weeks have been a challenge, getting his business moving at a normal pace, so I want him to have a nice meal when he walks in the door.

Fuck, this day has been hell.

I put in some chicken and boil water for potatoes before I go out to check on Davey.  They’re hanging out on the back porch, playing with a remote control car, and I tell them to come inside and watch TV until Brian’s mom gets here to pick him up.  Davey listens.  He always listens to me, and I make him stop in his tracks before he can run into the house, and give him a long kiss on his cheek.  He hugs and kisses me back.  He hasn’t quite gotten to the stage where that embarrasses him yet.  “I love you.” I tell him.

“Love you, love you, mom!”

He runs off into the house after his friend.

It makes me smile.  He doesn’t say it all the time, but he’s starting to say it more and more, and I’m flattered that he cares for me that much.

I’m just putting the potatoes into the boiling water when I feel hands snake themselves around my waist and lips fall gently onto my neck.  I sigh as I allow my body to lean back against his, and I feel relieved already.

“Smells great.”

I feel the surge of excitement rush through me at his touch, and give the potatoes a stir before I eagerly turn around in his arms to face him.  “Hi.”  I smile and give him a long kiss on the mouth.  “Good day?”

He shrugs a little as he stares into my eyes and smiles.  “Some progress, some annoyances, you know.  My new assistant needs my assistance, and the construction is off schedule too.  I ripped into the contractor today, and had to threaten my assistants job, but I’m home now, so whatever.”

I nod a little, before resting my head against his chest.

“You all right?”

I don’t answer him, because I don’t want to cry.

“Abbey?”

He’s stroking my hair gently, and I hate that I’m about to spoil the night with my petty childcare problems.  He’s in a good mood, mostly upbeat, keeping the stresses of his work day out of his time with me.  I should be doing the same but I can’t.  “It’s Austin.”

“Where is he, anyway?”

“Out with his miscreant friends.”

He slowly pulls back from me, a concerned gaze in his eyes.  “What happened?”

I shake my head a little, press my lips together hard, trying not to cry, but it’s useless.  “He...he doesn’t love me anymore.”

“Huh?”

He’s laughing, but I would expect that.  I must sound like a train wreck, a psycho, but I know it’s the truth.  “First he called me a bitch..."

Justin's expression turns dark and angry.

"Then said that he doesn’t want to be on the adoption papers, before he left to go hang out with his friends, even though I told him he couldn’t.  He’s just...I know he’s fed up, Justin.  He hates it here, he hates me, and he doesn’t like the twins at all.”

“He said that to you about the adoption?”

I just nod.

He sits down at the kitchen island slowly, taking in the information.  I know he’s angry but at the same time, I know he’s upset too.  “Did he say where he was going?”

“He asked if he could to Adventure Landing but I don’t know if that’s where he wound up.”

“Save me a plate.”  He gets up quickly and pulls his car keys out of his slacks.  “I’ll be back when I find him.”

“Justin...”

“I’m not going to put up with this, Ab.”  He walks up to me and strokes my face with his hand.  “After everything you and I have sacrificed to make him happy, he has no reason to do this.  I mean, we bought him the car last month and he wasn’t complaining then.”

“That’s because he was getting attention,” I say, softly.

“He’s fifteen.  He doesn’t need us to fall all over ourselves to keep him entertained and happy.  He’s had a shit attitude since you got pregnant, and I think...we need to have a long talk with him and figure out what the best solution is.”

I shrug.  “I think he needs more from us than we think.”

He shakes his head, and I can tell he’s growing more and more annoyed.  “Call me if he shows up here.”  


He gives me a quick kiss on the cheek.

And then he’s out the door again.

Sixty Nine by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Happy Thanksgiving!
It took me hours to find my brother, and it wasn’t the way I wanted to spend my evening at all.  After the day at work I had, the only thing I wanted to do was curl up with Abbey and the kids on the couch and watch Family Guy.  Naturally, Austin had to ruin that for me too, and when I found him hanging out in front of that convenience store, laughing with those kids like what he said to Abbey didn’t phase him at all, it took everything in me not to slam his head into the concrete sidewalk.  I drove around the corner, because I was sure he hadn’t seen me.  They were all drinking cans of what I knew was beer and smoking cigarettes, oblivious to the rest of humanity.  I parked my new BMW out of site, and decided to give my brother the shock of his lifetime.

“You got one for me?” I yelled as I angrily walked towards them minutes later.

They all stopped laughing when they saw me.

Austin dropped his beer right away, and his eyes grew wider, as his face drained of color.  It made me smirk a little.  He knew he could get away with talking crudely to Abbey when I wasn’t around, but when I was, he knew he wouldn’t be getting away with shit.  He stood, frozen in his place when I reached where he stood, and I grabbed him by the scruff of his shirt and dragged him towards me.  “What the fuck do you think you’re doing, Austin?”

He whimpered.

“Go on.” I waved the other boys away with my hand.  “Get the hell out of here before I call the cops.”

They ran, like the timid little pussies I knew they were.

“Some friends,” I told him, as I shook him.  “Right?”

“I...”

“Tell me something,” I said to him gruffly as I yanked him down the sidewalk by the collar of his polo shirt.  “Am I a bitch?”

He sobbed.

I swung him around and pressed him into the brick wall.  He struggled for a few seconds, before realizing I had overpowered him, and stopped moving.  

“Answer the question.”

He was trembling.  “N-no...”
r32;“Oh, but Abbey is right?”

“I...”

“How dare you.”  I brought my face close to his, and breathed the words angrily at him.  “She has so much to deal with, and she does her best to make you happy.  We both do, and then you pull shit like this? Drinking and smoking, hanging out with those losers when Abbey has asked you not to?”

“She’s not my mother!”

I couldn’t believe him, gave him a dark look and let go of him so he could move away from the wall.  “You have a serious problem.”

“Fine! Good! I don’t care what you think!”  He screamed it at me as the tears poured down his face.  “I hate it here!”

“You’re so fucking ungrateful.”  I gripped him firmly by the arm and started to drag him over to my parked car.  “I give you whatever you want.  I just bought you a really expensive sports car so you’ll have something to drive when you pass the test, and I’ve helped you overcome some serious shit in your life.  This is how you repay me?  What kind of a role model do you think you’re being for Davey right now?”

“Who cares!  He doesn’t need me anymore!  None of you do!  I’m just a babysitter now!”

I shoved him forward.  “Get in the damn car.”

He stopped, his gaze defiant as he crossed his arms.  “No!”
 
“I said get in!”  I walked around to the passenger side, and thrust the door open.  “Now!”

“I want to go back to Memphis!”

It was silent after that, only the sound of people hollering at each other in the street, reminded me that we were indeed standing in the grittiest area of downtown Dallas.  “Why?”

“Because I belong there!”  

He clutched his stomach, then he leaned over, and threw up in the middle of the street.  I had to stand behind him and hold him up at one point because he was so sick.  I had no idea how many beers he’d had, but knew it was probably why he was able to yell at me without being afraid.  It took him a good twenty minutes to get control over himself, and I made sure to hand him some napkins and a plastic garbage bag out of my glove box before I allowed him to sit inside my brand new car.  

He sobbed all the way home, and when we walked in the door, I found Abbey sitting on the couch watching TV with Davey.  It was after nine, a little past his bedtime, but I was sure she needed comfort from him, and it was the only reason she’d allowed him to stay up.

“Say it.” I told Austin, as I pulled him to a stop in front of the couch before he could go hide, or puke in the bathroom.  Even though he’d been sobbing like a fool in the car, I made sure to lecture him some more, and warned him that he better apologize to Abbey when we walked in the door.

Abbey looked up at us, and I could tell she’d been crying for a long time.  Her eyes were red and her face was full of tear stains.  Davey was silent.  He knew something bad had happened, so he just buried his face in Abbey’s lap like he always did when he was overwhelmed.

“I’m...”  He looked back at me over his shoulder.

“Right now, Austin.”

He hiccuped.  “I’m sorry, Abbey.”

“For?” I said.

“For...for bein’ disrespectful.”

I shoved him forward.  “Go clean yourself up, and don’t wake up the babies.  If you have to puke, make sure you do it in the bathroom that’s far down from the nursery.”

He hung his head low and dragged himself off to do as I said, not giving Abbey a second look.

“C’mon baby,” Abbey whispered to Davey as she stroked his hair and helped him to sit up.  “Go get ready for bed, all right?”

He nodded at her, but then he looked at me, an undeniable look of concern in his eyes.  “Is Austin okay?”

I pressed my lips together and shoved my hands in my pockets, because I wasn’t sure what I could say to him.  I didnt’ want to tell him the truth, that Austin had changed, and now I’d caught him drinking, because I knew it would fuck him up and that was the last thing I wanted for him.  Davey had come so far, was a completely different kid, and I loved the one he had become.  “He’s just on punishment, Davey.”

“Why?”

“Dave.”  Abbey said it to him gently before I could answer, and kissed his face.  “Go on, okay?  I’ll come say goodnight in a little bit.”

He hung his head low and slid off the couch.  “Okay.”

I ruffled his hair as he passed by me.  “Night buddy.”

“Night.”

Then we were finally alone.  

“Where was he?”

I plopped down on the couch beside her, and let out a long, miserable sigh, as I laced my fingers through hers.  “Downtown.”

“Doing what?”

I looked at her.  The worry in her eyes was unmistakable.  She was sick over Austin, and I hated that more than anything else.  “You really want to know?”

“He’s my son, so yeah.”

I sucked in a breath.  “Drinking and smoking with those kids.  He’s actually kind of drunk right now.  He puked in the middle of the street.”

“This is my fault.”
r32;“Hey.”  I caressed her face with my hand and smiled for her.  “It’s not your fault.”

“But the babies keep me busy.  I don’t make enough time for him.”

“He’s old enough to get it.  You’re one person and right now the babies need you for more than just entertainment,” I nodded.  “Look...maybe...maybe we need to do something drastic, Ab.”

She shook her head sadly, and I pulled her down to rest against my chest.  “What are we going to do, Justin?  Ship him off to the military?”

I chuckled.  “Sounds like a plan.”

She slapped me lightly on the chest.  “Be serious.”

“He told me he wants to go back to Memphis.”

“He always says that when he’s angry,” she whispered.

“No, I think he’s serious.”  I hated to tell her that, but I felt it was the truth.  “I can give Kim a call.  She might want to help out.”

She sat up slowly and pulled away from me, giving me a confused, worried expression.  “Are you talking about...about sending him away?”

I looked away from her.  “It might be the best thing.”

“Or the easiest thing.  Justin...we...we cant’ just send him away.”

“It’s not sending him away like we don’t wnant him or something.”  I moved closer to her and took her hands in mine, kissing her a little when she started to sob again.  “I think he wants to go.”

She shook her head.  “No.”

“It’s killing you.”  I pulled her back to me and let her rest her head against my chest again.  “I know it is, Ab, and that’s not healthy for you...or Davey or the kids.  Everything will start to unravel, eventually, if we let this continue with him.  Do you think I want to put our marriage at risk for him?  I love him, and I know you love him but...if he’s miserable, what are we supposed to do?”

“Work through it with him.”

“Not if he doesn’t want to do his part.”

“Please don’t send him away baby,” she sobbed into my chest.  “Please don’t.”

I sighed and kissed her forehead, knowing the solution wasn’t the best one, but I just didn’t know what else to do.  All I knew for sure was that Abbey and I couldn’t live with Austin like he was.  It was making us miserable, and hell, I didn’t think we deserved to be.

I sat with Abbey on the couch for awhile after that, consoling her as she cried, trying to convince her that everything would work out, somehow.  We both knew I was full of it though.  I mean, how could I know?

The babies were crying though, and I had to stop focusing on Austin’s problems and concentrate on caring for the twins with Abbey instead.  I helped her up from the couch and pulled her along with me to the nursery, hearing her siffling the whole way.  We were upstairs and halfway down the hall when I heard it.  Austin getting sick in the bathroom.  Abbey immediately stopped, gasped and knocked on the door.

“Austin? Can I come in there with you?”

“Go away.”

“Ab.”  I put my hand on her shoulder.  “I’ll go in, okay?”

She turned to me, and nodded a little.  “I’ll just...be in the nursery.”

I kissed her forehead once more.  “I’ll be there in a bit.”  

She walked off down the hall and I sucked in a breath as I turned the doorknob and walked in on Austin.

It’s one in the morning, three hours since I came in here, and I’m livid.  I have to be up in the morning and go to the office, regardless of the crap my brother has pulled tonight.  What’s worse...I didn’t get to kiss my precious babies goodnight, and it’s all because of Austin’s stupidity.
r32;“I’m done.”

“No, you’re not.”

He gets a desperate look in his eyes before he turns his head back down into the toilet and starts to vomit all over again.  I continue to rub his back while he does it, even though I’m furious.  I know I have to, otherwise, he might do something drastic, like...I don’t know...throw up in the nursery or something.  The little shit would probably take some pleasure in doing that, so I’ll stay right here.

“I feel like I’m gonna die,” he says to me weakly, once he finishes.

I flush the toilet for him.  “Yeah, well you will for a while.  This is what happens when you drink too much, and you definitely shouldn’t be drinking at all.”

He sobs as he clutches his stomach.  “Make it stop, Justin.  Please!”

“You deserve everything you’re getting right now.  Maybe this is the only way to wake you up.”

He throws up again, and again.

I’m so fucking exhausted.

“You’re grounded for like...a year,” I tell him after I flush the toilet for the thousandth time. “Just so you know.”

“Fine! Fine!  I just want to feel better!”

He’s sobbing like a child.

But I guess...I guess he still is a child.  I tend to forget that I guess, because he tries so hard to act more mature than he really is.

“Austin.”  I sigh harshly and run a hand through his messy hair.  “Why...why are you acting like this?”

“I feel invisible.  All the time.”

“What more do we have to do?” I scoff.  “I mean, shit kid, you have it made out here.  The universe can’t revolve around you twenty four seven, and right now...the babies are going to take up a lot of our attention.  It doesn’t mean we don’t love you.  I mean, do you even realize how much Abbey loves you?  You’re a huge part of her world, and she talks about you all the time.”

He coughs and shrugs.  “It’s not the same.”

“You have to learn how to adapt, Austin.  The rest of us have.  Look at Davey.  He finds things to do when Abbey is caught up.”

He doesn’t answer, and it’s quiet for the longest time.  The bright side is he’s stopped getting sick for now, but I have one more thing I’d like to cover with him before I help him into bed.  “Did you mean what you said about Memphis?  That you want to go back?”

He only glances at me.  “Why?”

“Because I wanna know.”

“It’s not like I can, so why talk about it?”

“I never said you couldn’t go back.  I just didn’t know if you were being serious.”

He shifts a little, and winces as he forces himself to sit up a little more.  “You’d let me go back?”

I can’t look at him.  It hurts too much.  “If that’s...if that’s the only way you’ll be happy. I guess I just thought you liked being a part of this family.”

“I don’t know how I feel anymore.”

“So I’ll call Aunt Kim and ask if you can go stay with her, then.”  

I stare at him.

I pray that he doesn’t tell me to do it.

“You think she would say yes?”

He’s smiling a little.

I bite my bottom lip.  It’s taking everything inside of me not to break down right now.  I see...I see myself in him.  I can feel exactly what he’s feeling inside, because that’s how I was.  That’s why I left home and started a new life, because I convinced myself I didn’t fit in with the family that I had.  “Maybe.”

“I feel like I belong in Memphis,” he tells me, with an honest and sincere expression.  “Davey forgot about it, but I never have.  “I still love it there.  I still call it home.”

I know he really means it.  That absolutely kills me.

And I don’t even want to think of how Abbey is going to take this.

“You know that we love you, Austin, right?”

“Yeah...”  He stares down at his lap.  “But I...I don’t think I love either of you enough to stay here.”

The tears start to glide down my face.  

It hurts me, so bad, like this bright burning fire inside of my chest.  “You’re serious?”

“Things were...different before.  Before the babies...Abbey was different, and you were too.  I’ve stayed the same, and all of a sudden...it’s like I’m the bad one.  I’m always doing something wrong, and all Abbey seems to need me for is to watch Davey or do some chore.”

I shake my head.  “Austin...”

“I want to go to high school in Memphis, and live with Aunt Kim.  She understands me.”

I refuse to break down and cry.  Refuse, because...he’s not worth it.  He’s talking to me like he can’t stand us, the family that Abbey and I have built together.  Doesn’t he remember what Abbey did for him? How she took care of him?  He’s the one that ran away from home simply so he could be with her again, and now...now neither of us are good enough? Now...

Now he doesn’t love us enough to stay?

“Then I’ll call her.” I grunt it at him and force myself to my feet.  “Turn the light off when you go to bed.”

I walk out on him.

He doesn’t try to stop me.

I know I’ve lost him too.

I crawl into bed.  Abbey is laying in her usual spot, but I can tell she’s wide awake.  I glance at the clock only to find that it’s three in the morning.  Shit.

“Is he all right?”

I slide my body close to hers, and kiss her in the darkness.  “He’ll be fine in the morning.”

“You were in there a long time.  Did you two talk?”

“A little.”

“What’d he say?”

“Nothin Ab.  I’ll talk to you more about it tomorrow after I get home.”

“Please don’t keep something important from me, Justin.  That won’t help the situation.”

She’s right, but at the same time, I don’t want her to get anymore upset than she is right now.  I hate that I don’t have a choice.  “He...he wants to go back to Memphis.”

She sobs.

“Baby...”  I wrap my arms around her and pull her close to me, and she continues to cry into my bare chest.  “Look, it...it might be the best thing for him right now.  Nobody said it has to be forever.”

“We’re going to lose him.  Justin...you...you can’t let him walk out of our lives!  There has to be something else you can do...or say to him that will change his mind, right?”

“Ab I...I don’t know.  Right now I feel like he’s living on another planet.”

“But we can try,” she says desperately.

“Abbey.”  I reach out and turn my light on.  We both squint at each other for a moment, but my eyes finally adjust and I kiss her forehead.  “Are you really up for more headaches?  It’s not about him being angry, or insubordinate now.  He’s...he’s very unhappy here.”

“I love him.”

“So do I.” I caress her face with my hand and look right into her eyes.  They’re so sad, so desperate for any other solution other than this.  “But he’s not going to get any better.  Believe me, I know...he’s my brother.”

“What did we do?” She whimpers.  “How did we fail him?”

“We didn’t.”  I pull her to me again, and squeeze her tight, trying to make her believe none of this is her fault.  “He just...he’s just not the same kid, and we’re not the same people we were before the babies were born.  Austin needs something...something that we can’t give him anymore.  I don’t know what it is, but apparently he thinks Kimberly is the solution.  Hell, maybe he just wants somebody that’s a direct link to our mother.  I don’t know anymore, but killing ourselves to figure it out isn’t fair to us or to him.”

“So we...we’re just going to give up on him?”

“It’s not giving up...it’s just...giving him the space he wants from us.  In six months, he might be begging us to take him back, who knows?”

“I’m going to talk to him about this.  Maybe I can convince him to change his mind.”

“Ab...I really don’t...”

“I’m doing it, Justin.  Jesus!  He’s my son...my son!  I’m not losing him without a fight!”

“All right...”  I trail off and rub her shoulder a little, as she whimpers into her hands.  “I...I know.  I’m sorry.”

“You better get some sleep,” she tells me after she gets a little control of herself.

“Yeah.”

I snap my light off, and lay down, my eyes wide open, listening to her cry herself to sleep, before I’m finally able to drift off.

The alarm buzzes too soon, letting me know it’s Monday morning.  If this were New York, and I was at Goldman, I’d seriously call in today, despite missing my board meeting.

But I can’t, because I work with incompetence for the moment.  If I miss a day, the results could be disastrous.  I force myself to get out of bed with that thought in mind, and find that Abbey has already gotten up.  It’s normal for her.  I’m sure she’s feeding the babies and getting Davey ready for school.  She drives him.  It’s only twenty minutes away.

I get myself together and head out to the kitchen, taking a seat at the island.  Davey is already there, shoving his frosted flakes into his face, and I smile at him and ruffle his hair, and he greets me enthusiastically.  Abbey is standing at the end of the island with the babies in their high chairs, attempting to feed them their mushy baby food.

Austin is nowhere to be seen.

“Baby?”

She glances at me.  I can see the pain in her eyes, and she looks like she’s on the brink of tears all over again.  “Hey.”

“Where is he?”

“I said he can stay home.”

God.  “Abbey.”

“He’s...he’s sick.”

“He has to learn,” I tell her seriously.  “You can’t...give into him.”

“Justin, please.”

She’s trying to fix this the only way she knows how...by keeping him close to her.  My guess is, she’s going to try and connect with him today, but after last night and the things he said, I just don’t think she can.  It scares me that she might turn into more of a wreck by the time I get home to her, but if there’s one thing I know about Abbey...it’s that she’s persistent and she never backs down if she wants something bad enough.  It makes me smile at her, because...while I’m afraid for her, I know it’s one of the qualities I love most about her.  “Good luck.”  I say it as I walk over to where she’s standing and wrap my arms around her, giving her a long kiss on the mouth.  “I’ll call you in the afternoon, all right?”

She smiles for the first time since I got home yesterday.  “Thank you.”
Seventy by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
So hopefully, these will be the final ten chapters.  I have it mapped out, just have to get the story where it's supposed to be.  Hope you guys are enjoying it and happy holiday!

“Messages, Jessica?”

She snaps to attention.  “Yes, sir.”

I roll my eyes while she scrambles to gather up the pieces of paper with my phone messages scribbled on them.  Yeah, she’s a nervous wreck.  I mean, I probably would be too after the things I said to her yesterday.

But they needed to be said.

I didn’t even realize what was going on, and I wouldn’t have, if it hadn’t been for one very angry client that managed to get ahold of me yesterday morning.  He said that he’d been trying to get in touch with me for days regarding his account, that he was losing money and needed me to sort some things out for him.  I asked him why he hadn’t been able to get in touch with me, since I’d been pulling seven thirty to five fifteens every day since we’d gotten underway.  He informed me that every time he called, nobody picked up the phone.

My attention immediately turned to Jessica, but I didn’t understand why she wouldn’t have given me a message or transferred a call into my office like she was supposed to.  She listened to me about being on time, we got through the couple of weeks I had to communicate with her by phone, and when I made the move she was still prompt, and usually waiting for me with a Starbucks coffee and a pleasant attitude when I came to open up in the morning. It always put me in a good mood, and I started to trust her.  We didn’t have many problems besides that the work was overwhelming at times, and caused her to forget certain things in the daily routine I’d made up for her.  She was new, so I expected it.  What I didn’t expect, was for her to piss my clients off and ignore their phone calls.  Client service, I’d made clear to her from the get go, was my number one priority.

I went back and reviewed the security tapes after I got off the phone with him.  I had to credit some funds back to him as a courtesy, which meant the company had lost money, and nothing made me angrier.  I started on a random day, from the hour she clocked in, until it was time for her to go home for the day.  The first hour was fine.  She was diligently working at her desk, but when the second hour hit...the dot of the second hour in fact, she would leave her desk to go outside.  

The same thing would happen every hour, on the hour, until she went home.  The girl even took an extra fifteen minutes on her lunch. That meant the desk was unoccupied for fifteen or twenty minutes every hour, and the phone would ring without an answer for that span of time.  I was in the building, but oblivious to it, choosing to work in a private office, where I couldn’t hear the incessant ringing of the phone.  I did the same thing at Goldman, but Cheryl was always on top of the phone calls and transfers.  I do have a private line, but I barely give it out.  Only to Abbey and the most important clients on the books.  

What was Jessica doing?

Smoking cigarettes like her life depended on it.

Now, I’m usually lenient with smoke breaks.  Once or twice a day apart from lunch usually isn’t a problem for me.  But every hour? I didn’t know how many calls she’d missed, but I did know that I was losing business, and I couldn’t afford to at such an early stage.  I called her into my office immediately after that to have a talk.  When she sat down across from me, she was giving me a pleasing smile, but when I didn’t return it, her expression fell serious immediately.

“Justin?”

I sat up a little.  “Let’s go with sir, or Mr. Timberlake, okay?  We’re not friends.  I’m your employer.”

“Oh...”  She looked down at her lap.  “Okay.”

“I need to talk you about your cigarette situation.”

Her head immediately snapped up then, her eyes wide, a look of doom on her face.  She was scared, and I knew it.

But I wasn’t going to go easy on her.  I never had before, with any employee that was breaking the rules, and I wasn’t about to start then.  “I received a concerned call from a client a this morning,” I went on.  “He hadn’t been able to get in touch with me, and if he didn’t get a hold of my private office number, he probably wouldn’t have either.”

She said nothing.

“I had to credit back some funds that he lost due to your negligence.  Thousands, from the company’s bankroll.  I’ll be docking your check three hundred dollars for four pay periods.  That’s a grand, and doesn’t nearly cover the loss, but I figure it’s enough to cover the hours you spent outside during my time.”

“I...sir...”

“I’m not a smoker,” I told her gently, because I knew she was about to break down in front of me.  “But, I know how it is.  I’ve worked with people who are, and I know it’s hard to contain cravings.  Yours is the worst case I’ve ever seen I think, but...as long as you tone it down and keep it to two breaks a day outside of your lunch hour, we’ll be fine.”

“Just two?”

She said it like it was worse than me docking her pay.

I narrowed my eyes at her.  “If that’s not enough time, you can always show yourself the door, too.”

She pressed her lips together and let out a long breath after a few moments.  “I’ll...I’ll figure out a way to do that, sir.”

“You better.  Now get back to work.”

She stood up harshly from the chair and whimpered as she walked out of my office, letting the door close behind her.

I’ve gotten twice the amount of phone calls because of that talk, and while it’s good for business, it pisses me off that I’ve most likely lost money because she wasn’t putting them through to me the entire time we’ve been open.  I’m giving her another chance, only because of who she’s related to.  If she messes up one more time though...she’s gone.  

As if things weren’t bad enough, I had a heated argument with my contractor later that day.  Things weren’t coming together fast enough for me.  We were still working out of the temporary office, when I thought we would have been able to work in the new one while they were finishing up.  But some of the foundation still wasn’t in place, and I felt they’d had more than enough time to get the job done. It pissed me off.  I wanted to run my business properly, hire more people, and I couldn’t until the office was safe enough to work in while under construction.

Anthony, that’s the guy who’s running things.  He’s in his late thirties, seems nice enough, but I haven’t spent any time trying to get to know him, because there’s no point.  I make him come to me in the temporary office to fill me in on things, and that’s all.  He told me he was working his guys as hard as he could, and that there was nothing he could do to speed up the construction process.  According to him, things were running right on schedule.

But I was tired of waiting.  I was paying out of my own pocket for the renovations and I expected timely results.  Being a business man myself, I always made sure to exceed the clients expectations, getting things for them faster than my competition could, getting them more money out of their investments than my competition could.  I guess because I had such a high approval rating in my own business, I expected the same level of service everywhere.

I told him he better call his boss and find a way to get the job done ahead of schedule, or else I would hire another company that could.  I think that got his ass in gear.  The owner, Bill, called me up later that afternoon and assured me he was sending out some more workers to get the job moving more efficiently.  He’s a good business man, I just wish his son in law was a little more responsible.  I’m going over to the site this afternoon, to make sure everything is going as planned.  Bill told me to do it, and call him if there was another issue.  The guy is even crediting me ten grand for my trouble.

I’m sure I’ll recommend him to a friend, despite the trouble Anthony has caused.  That’s what the business is all about, after all.  They’re a small construction company, and I went with them because of their local client five star ratings.  I like to give small business a chance, because I’d been given a chance when I had come from nothing.

“This is everything.”  She hands the sloppy bunch of papers over to me.  “Oh and your wife called.  She said your cell went to voicemail.”

“Abbey?” I smile, and she looks shocked.  “Did she say what she wanted?”

“She said...”  She trails off and looks down at a notepad in front of her computer.  “Could you please get some formula on your way home?”

“Oh, okay.”  I take the papers from her and start shuffling them into a neat, manageable pile.  “Thanks.”

“I didn’t know you had children.”

I pause as my hand lands on my office’s doorknob, and glance at her.  Really, I never had an intention on sharing my personal life with her.  But I guess...god...I guess I feel kind of bad about the way I spoke to her.  If Abbey knew, she’d be quick to slap me upside the head and call me a selfish asshole.  “Twins,” I smirk.  “And my two kid brothers live with us too.”

Until that number changes to one.

“Damn,” she laughs like she’s an old friend of mine.  “Four kids and you’re not even thirty.”

I raise an eyebrow.  “How about that, huh?”

She licks her lips, like she feels stupid for saying it.  “I’ll just...buzz you if a call comes in.”

I nod.  “I’m making a trip to the work site around eleven too.  Somebody is supposed to be coming to escort me.  Make them wait, all right?  At least twenty minutes, and then call me.”

“What if they get impatient?”

I flash her a cocky smile.  “That’s the point.”

I walk into my office after that, without another word, and when the door closes behind me, I can feel her giving me the finger.  I wouldn’t blame her, either.

I can be a real big asshole, and I know that I just acted like one.

But I just don’t care.  I’m too annoyed with her and ‘Johnson and Holtoy Construction’ to give a damn.

I work tirelessly through the morning, trading and buying shares, and taking in dozens of phone calls.  Work takes my mind off my agressions, how annoyed I am with my assistant and Austin.  I just...forget about them, stay focused on the market and making lots, and lots of money.  I’m in such a daze, I barely hear the buzzing of my intercom for a few moments, until I hear my name being called through it.

“Mr. Timberlake?”

“Yeah.”  I keep my gaze focused on the stocks flashing across the computer screen.

“The gentle...the gentleman...from...from the construction company is here.”

She sounds completely terrified, and I stare down at the intercom for a moment, trying to figure out if there’s a serious problem.  “What’s his problem?”

“Nothing, nothing,” she laughs nervously.  “But he’s ready for you.”

I hope she made him wait the twenty minutes.  “Fine. I’ll be out in a minute.”

She hangs up without another word.

Fuck, she’s so weird.  I don’t care what she says, or what anybody else says, the military screws with people.  It makes them uneasy around people and nervous about living life in general.  I’m sure that’s where Jessica gets her annoying smoking habit from, and I would never ask but...I really wonder what happened to her over in Afghanistan.  By the way she acts, I can tell that she didn’t have a “decent run” there, like she told me at her interview.

I can’t focus on that right now though.

I wait ten minutes, just to give the impression that I’m in no rush, before I venture out into the lobby.  

Jessica’s desk is vacant.  I know she’s already been on two smoke breaks this morning, and I feel the anger boiling inside of me.  I’m ready to fire her.  So ready.

“So it’s actually you?”

I look over to my left, and then...I’m just staring, my mouth hanging open, having forgotten all about Jessica, because I can only focus on one thing at a time.

And right now, I’m focusing on Braeden.

“Wow...I...”

“Damn, I should have known.”  He runs his hands through his hair and laughs.  “I mean, I saw that the invoice said Timberlake Financial but I really...I guess I was counting on it to be somebody else, even though Anthony told me what an asshole you were.”

“That was the giveaway I guess,” I laugh.  “But...why are you here?”

“I’m working on your building you impatient bastard.”  He tries to maintain his serious expression, but fails.  His face breaks into a smile and he steps forward and sticks his hand out.  “It’s...good to see you.”

I nod and shake his hand firmly.  “You look better...a lot better than you did.”

It’s the truth.  He looks refreshed and rejuvenated, and much healthier.  But it’s not making this meeting any less awkward.

“I got myself some help, finally.  Low and behold, something actually worked for me.”

Now, I feel like complete shit that I complained about the construction work, because I can tell he’s probably been busting his ass.  His hands are rough and flecked with paint, as well as his clothes and parts of his face.  He has a job now.  He’s not...that fragile fucked up freak anymore.  He’s coping, and that’s amazing, considering everything he’s been through.

I’d say I was proud of him but...I’m still a little shocked that I’m standing here with him.

“How is she?” He asks next.

I smile.  “She’s good, a little overwhelmed...you know...the kids...”

“I saw the picture.  They’re cute kids.  You must be proud.”

“Yeah, we are.”

“I um...”  He sighs and strokes his chin for a moment.  “I never got to thank you for sending Mark and Hannah.”

“I wanted to do it,” I say, automatically.  “Did you have a good holiday?”

“The best in years,” he smirks.  “You?”

“A lot was going on, but we managed.  You should come for dinner or something, you know?  See the new place?  I’m sure Abbey would want to say hello.”

“Oh...yeah, maybe.”

He doesn’t mean it.  I know, deep down, it’s taking everything inside of him not to run away from me right now.  I know, because I feel the same fucking way.  While we respect each other, the simple fact that I’m part of the reason Abbey isn’t with him anymore, can’t be easy for him to stomach.  “Let me just find my assistant and then we can head out, okay?”

“She...she needs a minute.”

“Yeah and takes plenty of them too,” I laugh, and start to walk to the door so I can summon Jessica back inside the office.

But she’s not there...or anywhere.  She’s just gone.

“What the hell...”

“It’s me.”

I turn back to him.  He’s looking at the ground, and I don’t have a clue what the hell is wrong.  “What?”

“We...knew each other.  Jessica and I.  Small fucking world, right?”

I stare at him.  “Damn small.  What, she’s like your ex...”

“Well, no.”

“A one nighter?”

“No.”

“Then...what...”

“Just trust me.  She wasn’t expecting me to walk through the door, and...she needs a minute.”

There’s a pleading in his eyes that I can’t understand.  It’s obvious that there’s more to this, more to her, and more to his relationship with her.  It’s too deep for the moment though, and I need to handle business and get over the fact that he’s even here.  That alone has made me uneasy, so I’ll just worry about Jessica later when we’re alone again.  “I guess we should head out, then.”

He agrees and I decide to drive us over there, rather than walk the ten blocks that he just did.  

“So hows...” He trails off and thinks hard for a second.  “Austin?”

I raise an eyebrow and laugh bitterly as I drive a long.  It’s not funny that he’s asking, it’s just funny because Austin is a world away from the kid he met a couple of years back. “Fifteen,” I nod.  “And impossible.  He might not be staying with us much longer, actually.”

“Why?  He was attached to Babs...I mean, Abbey, like glue.”

After all this time, it’s still hard for him to refer to her as anything other than the pet name he was used to calling her.  It’s kind of heart warming, but at the same time, she’s my damn wife now, and he’s gotta drop it.  “He was, but then he grew up, and we had the twins.  Things have changed, you know? He’s...not handling our new life well, and we don’t have the time to baby him like he wants us to.”

“That’s a shame.”

“I know, but we’ll get through it.  I mean, we’ve gotten through everything else.”

“Don’t I know it?”

He lets out a bitter laugh.

I just focus on the road, and then my phone starts to ring.  I hate that I can’t look at the ID with him in the car, and hate even more than I have to talk on bluetooth speaker because I’m driving.  “Timberlake.”

“Hey baby,” Abbey says, her voice filled with a smile.  “Guess what? I really think Austin is going to come through this.”

I feel Braeden staring at me.  “What happened today?”

“Well, you know how that tooth has been coming in on Mason?”

“Yeah.”

“He was crying all morning.  I guess it’s really starting to bother him, so Austin came down, and watched Victoria for me while I iced Mason’s gums.  Isn’t that great?”

I sigh.  It’s a breakthrough, sure, but it doesn’t mean Austin is going to change his mind, and Abbey is just being set up for more heartbreak.  “That’s awesome baby.”

“I know! Did you get my message?”

“Yeah, I’ll pick it up on the way home.”

“Great.  How’s your day going? Are you tired?”

I glance at Braeden, and he’s smirking at me like he loves the fact that I’m trapped in the car with Abbey on the phone.  “It’s...different.”

“Why?”

I guess I should tell her.  It’s stupid to keep it from her, because she’ll just flip out on me later on at home.  “Guess who’s here with me?”

“....who?”

“Hey Babsey,” Breaden speaks up.  “How’ve you been?”

I could punch him.

She doesn’t make a sound.  I can picture her standing in the kitchen, phone to her ear, wondering how the hell this is possible.  “Ab?”

“Is...is that really you, Bray?”

“Yeah.  Small world right?”

“Oh...God...”

“I thought I could bring him by for dinner,” I say, trying to break the awkwardness.  “How about it?”

“Of course...I mean...Braeden are, are you all right? Mark told me...everything...”

“I’ve been doing better.  Don’t worry about it, for now.  I’ll come to dinner and we can all catch up, okay?”

“Oh...oh...okay.  I’ll just go to the store and get something...I mean, yeah, dinner...I’ll do that.”

“Abbey?” I laugh.  

“I’ll see you tonight.”

She hangs up.

Awkward isn’t the word to describe this day.

And I have no idea what’s going to happen tonight.  I’d like to think that we can all be friends, because Abbey’s life has changed so much since the last time she saw Braeden, but I’m still unsure.

But I’ll suck it up, because we respect each other, and I know Abbey needs to talk to him, just so she can be reassured that he’s going to be okay.  It’s crazy that I love her enough to allow this.  No other man in his right mind, would, I’m positive of that.

Maybe I’m crazy, or maybe, deep down, I can tell that Braeden is beyond his relationship with Abbey.  That he couldn’t be with her now, even if she said she would be with him again.  He’s changed.  He’s grown.  He’s over their love.

And weird as it is, I know he has a thing for Jessica.  I could see it in his eyes, that he cares for her, that he sees something in her that nobody else does.  I guess she’s a lucky girl.

I mean, I certainly can’t fire her now.  That would make me the ultimate asshole.

Although, I will get to the bottom of what’s been going on with her, for the good of my company, and maybe Braeden can help me with that while he’s in town.

Maybe fate brought him here, to help her.

Stranger things have happened.

Seventy One by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Here's another one for you guys! Enjoy!
Chicken or beef?

Beef or chicken?

God.

What happens if I make Beef Wellington and Justin gets angry because it’s Braeden’s favorite dish?  Or will Braeden think I’m disrespectful if I make southern friend chicken simply because it’s Justin’s?  I don’t know.

I wish I could like...disappear or something.  Just for tonight.

I want to catch up with Braeden, though.  Mostly, I think it’s the right thing to do, and I know Justin doesn’t have a problem with it. After all this time, my husband still respects him.  The fact that he flew Mark out to see his brother for Christmas proved that to me.  I think I always knew we would see each other again eventually, too.

But I never thought it would be this soon, or without any notice at all.

“Faf faf faffff.”  
r32;I stroke Vicki’s face as she babbles with her hand in her mouth and kicks her feet happily in the stroller.  Mason is finally asleep, tired from crying due to the pain in his mouth.  I hate that it’s one of the times in his life that he’ll have pain that I can’t take away completely.  The doctor says they’ll both go through this, and has given me suggestions on how to help them cope with the pain, but nothing seems to work better than rubbing ice on his gums.  That’s been my game plan lately, only...it’s hard when Victoria is awake and just as in need of my attention at the same time.  

“I got the ice cream, mom!”

I look to my left and find Davey standing there, flashing me a wide smile as he holds the ice cream in his hands, along with a box of superhero themed popsicles.  Of course, I didn’t tell him to get those, but I’ll let him get something special because he’s been so good about the move, and everything else.  I stroke the top of his head gently and return his grin.  “Thanks, baby.  Just put those in the cart, okay?”

He drops them in.  “What’s next!”

I laugh at him and scan the list with my eyes.  “How about you go get me some spreadable butter.  Land O Lakes.  Okay?”

“Got it!”

He runs off.  It’s so weird, out of everything he’s done in Texas so far, his favorite thing to do is run around the grocery store, gathering things for me.  I told him I have a friend coming to dinner tonight as well, and that made him even more excited.  He loves having company at the house, and I guess that’s because...now that I think about it, Braeden will be our very first guest from out of town since the move.

That’s so fucking crazy.

“Chicken or Beef, Aus?”

He looks up from the video game magazine he’s been indulging in since we walked through the doors, and shrugs.  “Depends what you’re gonna make.”

“Fried chicken or Beef Wellington.”

“I don’t know what Beef Wellington is.  It sounds foreign.”

I allow my rigid body to loosen up after that, and let out a laugh.  I think I might be making a big deal over nothing, but I just...can’t be sure.  “Chicken it is.”  I drop the meat into the cart and he pushes it forward while I push the stroller, as we head to the produce section.  

“Why’s Braeden coming to dinner?” He mutters.  “I thought he was gone.”

I stop walking and turn back to him.  This time his eyes are looking into mine, and I know I have to give him an answer.

It would help if I knew the answer myself first though.

“He’s in town working on Justin’s building, that’s all.  We thought it would be a nice gesture.”

“Are you going to...to go away with him again?”

I sigh and put my hands on his shoulders, feeling the tears building up behind my eyes.  “I wouldn’t do that.”

He looks at the floor.  “Are you sure?”

I kiss his cheek and he grimaces, embarrassed.  “I promise you.  This isn’t like before.”

“O-okay.”

It’s been a good day for Austin and I.  The first one we’ve had in a really long time.  I kept him home from school today.  I’m so afraid of losing him, that I didn’t care if he was hungover.  I’m desperate to work things through with him, before Justin calls Kim and she agrees to let Austin live with her.  I know she would.  She loves him enough, and I’m sure she’d like to have some company back in Memphis.  But I don’t want him to leave.  He’s my son and I love him so much.  I don’t know what else I have to do to prove that to him, but I’m going to give it all I have, even if I lose every hour of sleep and all of my energy.  I’ll sacrifice it all for him.

Austin came downstairs this morning while Mason was screaming his head off.  I think my baby’s pain was the worst it’s ever been today, and I was doing my best to ice his gums and hum to him gently.  But Victoria was fussy too, and I knew she wasn’t hungry.  I’d just changed her too, so that meant she was in need of some attention. Unfortunately, Mason needed it more than his sister, and while that made me feel bad, there was nothing I could do since Justin was at the office.

“Do you...do you need help?”

I turned and found Austin standing at the opposite end of the kitchen island, the look in his eyes full of regret.  He knew he was wrong for saying the things he said to me, and going off to get drunk with his friends.  I guess he was trying to tell me he was sorry in his own way, but I would take it.  I would take anything from him at that moment.  “Well...I don’t want to make you do anything you don’t feel like doing.”

“I...I can help,” he whispered.

“Victoria wants to be held, that’s all.”

He nodded, and gently reached into the little seat and lifted her gently into his arms.  

“Support her head.”

He corrected himself, and then smiled down at her as she wriggled in his arms and whined.  “What...what should I do?”r32;
“Give her the pacifier.”

He grabbed it off the table and gently pressed it into her mouth.  She took it after a moment, and began to calm down.  “Do you think she likes me?”r32;
“Of course,” I smiled at him.  “They both love their uncle Austin.”

It made him smile again, and he continued to hold her and rock her in his arms.  

“Austin...”
 
He glanced at me.  

“I know that you and Justin...had a talk last night.”

He only nodded.

“I don’t want you to leave, okay?  I love you too much.”

“I dunno,” he sighed.  “I...I might like it better in Memphis.”

“I’d miss you.  Justin would too, even if he doesn’t act like it.  You know how stubborn he can be when he’s angry.”

He just shrugged though, and I knew I couldn’t push the issue with him.  He might have gotten angry, and the last thing I wanted was to get into a fight with him again.  I let the subject go after that, helped him to sit on the couch with Victoria while he watched TV and I tended to Mason.  He stayed with her the rest of the morning, until she needed her next bottle.  I was impressed with him and thankful, but I knew making a big deal about it might have put him in another weird mood.  So I made a big deal about it to Justin instead.  He tried to seem happy that my morning had gone well, but I knew he was forcing that for me.  He didn’t think Austin could change overnight, and I guess I had to accept that too...

The difference was, I didn’t want to.

Then I heard Braeden’s voice come over the line, and I couldn’t think about anything else.  It was just...surreal that he was in town, unknowingly close to me.  I was sure he didn’t know about my move to Dallas, because he hadn’t answered the letter I wrote to him.  He let it go, because he probably felt weird back then.  Now though, I can tell he’s different.  He sounded so good, so much better and more normal than he had in a great while.  I could tell he was a little bit more like the guy I remembered before Afghanistan, and that was great for him.

I’m just praying he doesn’t expect anything from me, because I can’t give it to him.

I just...don’t love him anymore, not after the things that happened between us.  Being friends will be a stretch, but I can try.

It’s just going to take awhile.

Austin and I rifle through the pile of potatoes in the produce section, picking the very best looking ones for our dinner.  Davey catches up with us after a while, with the butter, and some kind of toy, which I tell him he can’t have.  He pouts slightly, but when Austin tells him to stop, he does it.  It makes me smile.  Austin is really taking charge today, and I’m not sure why.  

He reminds me of Justin.  How he can have a heart, even though he tries not to let it show.  Maybe this is what he needs, to feel wanted for more than just helping out with the kids.  I think he feels like he has to take care of me sometimes, and I’m not sure, but it might be the way he was with his mother too.  If I can completely figure it out, I’ll let him do it, but it’s going to take some time that I don’t know if he’ll let me have.  

We get to the register, and Davey manages to con me into getting him a candy bar, and I make Austin pick out one too, before we put everything up on the conveyor. When I go to pay, Mason starts to squeal again, probably in pain, and I sigh as I slide my debit card through the reader.  
r32;“I’ll get him.”

Austin pushes past me and wheels the stroller over to a bench by the window.  I stare after him for a few moments, just smiling, feeling a tear or two gliding down my face because...because I think I might have gotten him back today.  

I don’t want to get my hopes up, though.

When we get home, I put Victoria down for a nap, but Mason won’t allow me to put him down for one. He’s in too much pain to sleep, and again...Austin steps in and offers to ice his gums while I start to fix dinner.  I sit him down on the couch with the baby, and give him another kiss on the cheek, which he accepts a little better this time around.
r32;“How about me and you do something on the weekend, Austin? Just us?”

He stares at me for a moment, as he starts to rub the ice on Mason’s gums.  “What about Justin and Davey and the babies?”

I shrug.  “I think they can handle us being gone for a day or two.  C’mon, what do you say?”

He smiles, only slightly.  “Like...we can take an overnight trip?”

“Maybe.  I can talk to Justin about it and see what he thinks.  Mason’s teething so we might have to make it two day trips.”

He nods, seeming to understand.  “That’s okay too.”

“Great.”

I leave him sitting with Mason on the couch and go back to fixing dinner, a smile on my face, feeling like everything is going to work out.  I call Davey into the kitchen after a while and tell him to set the table for five, which he agrees to do with enthusiasm.  Since he’s never met Braeden, I know their encounter will be slightly easier.  

I’m just taking the rolls out of the oven when the phone rings, and Davey races through the kitchen, grabbing it off the wall before I can even put the baking sheet down on the trivet.  

“Timberlake residence! Davey Timberlake speaking!”

He loves doing that, and I just laugh and smile as I lean against the counter and wait for him to find out who it is.

“Hi Justin! Yeah, I had a good day! We went to the store!  No, I got popsicles though! Chicken! Okay love you, love you!”  He pulls the phone away from his ear and takes a moment to catch his breath.  “It’s Justin!”

“Oh yeah?” I laugh as I walk across to take the phone from him.  “Thanks for preparing me.”

He hands the phone off to me and skips away. I can hear Austin barking something at him a moment later, but I ignore it and let them banter as I take the call.  “Hey you.”

“Hey.  You ready?”

I sigh.  “I guess so.”

“You’re not mad are you?  I just...I thought it would be decent to invite him over.”

“No, I’m not mad.  I guess I just wasn’t expecting it, that’s all.  It’s a good thing.  I mean, I wanted to catch up with him eventually.”

“Well he seems a lot...saner, if that means anything.”

I just laugh.  “Are you almost here?”

“Getting off the exit now.  He’s right behind me, and he asked if there will be some extra food to take back to his hotel with him.  I guess his boss is sick of eating fast food.  I should called to ask you but...today was kind of nuts at the office.”

Good thing I bought that family pack of chicken.  “There should be plenty.”

“Great.  How’s Austin?”

“He was a huge help today.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah I...I think I’m starting to understand what’s going on with him a little more.  I was going to spend some extra time with him on the weekend if you’d be willing to watch the other kids.”

“If you think it’ll help.”

He doesn’t sound hopeful, but I expect that from him.  Austin has completely pissed him off, and he doesn’t get over things like that as easily as I can.  “I do.”

“Then whatever you want to do, babe.  I’ll handle things at home.  Maybe I’ll even put Davey to work.”

“We’ll talk about it later,” I chuckle.  “I’ll see you in a minute.”r32;
“Love you.”

“I love you too.”

I hang up and sigh.  There’s no turning back now.  

I see Justin’s car pull into the driveway from my kitchen window about fifteen minutes later.  A dilapidated pick up truck pulls in behind him, and I know it’s Braeden.  I feel my body begin to tremble, and I know I have to snap out of it.  I pour myself a glass of wine, and sip it quietly, hoping like hell that this night goes well.

I hear Davey laughing in the living room moments later, and I know Justin has probably walked through the door and thrown him over his shoulder.  I pull the rest of dinner together, making sure it can’t get cold before I go to greet my husband.  He’s in the great room with his brothers and Mason, kissing the baby’s forehead as Davey clings to his leg and babbles on about his exciting trip to the grocery store.  I look around for Braeden, but when I don’t see him, I’m assuming he must still be outside.

“Hey babe.”  Justin smiles and pulls away from the kids so he can give me a long kiss on the mouth.  He wraps his arms around my waist after that, and stares back into my eyes, trying to calm down the insecurities inside of me.  

“Hi.”

“Where’s Vicki?”

“Napping.  I’ll probably have to get her in a few minutes.”

“I’ll get her up.  The guest of honor is outside, taking in the landscape,” he laughs.  “I think he’s kind of overwhelmed.”

“Do you remember the size of my parents house? His parents house is the same way. Of course he’s overwhelmed.”

He shrugs.  “So you’re spoiled now.”

I roll my eyes.  “I don’t think we should let him stand out there all night, do you?”r32;
“Depends.”  He flashes me a cocky smirk.  “What would we do instead?”

I slap his shoulder.  “Hold down the fort would you?”

He just laughs at me.  “Sure thing.”

At least one of us isn’t nervous about this dinner.  Although, I know him, and he tends to hide his emotions very well when he wants to.  In reality, he’s probably just as uneasy about this as I am. Hell, maybe even more.

I walk outside with that in mind, and when I see Braeden standing a little ways down the front walk, I know it’s up to me to make tonight work, for my husband’s sake, and for my children’s too.

“Hi, Bray.”

He seems to snap out of whatever daze he was in as I say it, and looks right at me.  “Oh.” He shoves his hands in his pockets and rocks nervously back on his heels.  “Hey, Abbey.”

It means he’s nervous and uneasy, otherwise he’d be calling me Babs and pulling me in for a hug.  But despite how uncomfortable he is, I can’t deny that...he’s not the same Braeden I left back in Killeen almost two years ago.  It’s crazy that it’s been so long since we’ve seen each other, but it looks like the time has done him some good.  He doesn’t have the tired, withdrawn expression anymore.  His face isn’t pale, and his eyes aren’t...dead.  There’s that light in them now.  The one I recognize from years past when we were a vibrant happy couple.  I can’t help but smile and thank the heavens for that look.  It means...it means he’s going to be okay.  That he can go, and live his life without so much fear and despair.  “How...how are you?”

“Oh...you know.”  He forces that infamous smile for me as he walks a little closer to where I’m standing.  “Getting there.”

I nod.  “You’re working now?”

“Yeah.  They discharged me after...” He trails off shakes his head, trying to shake off the memory.  “I live in Arizona and do construction now.  Anthony helped me.  You remember him right?”

“The other one?”

He nods.  “He’s my best friend now, you know?  He took me in when I had no place else to go.”

I press my lips together, a surge of guilt running through me, thinking about what he must have gone through after what he did to his mother and...the other stuff.  “I’m really...glad, Bray.”

“Looks like things worked out for you.”  He laughs a little as he gazes around the outside of my house.  “You’re living the life I guess?”

I shrug.  “This is more Justin’s thing. I mean, I love it here, but I’d give it up if I had to for my family.”

“Figured you say that,” he smiles.  “You haven’t changed at all.”

I know I haven’t.  Braeden still knows me.  The divorce and the things that took place beforehand, didn’t change that.  I think he’ll always be able to see deep down into me.  Not quite like Justin of course, but the way he’s always been able to.  “Do you...um...do you want to come in?”

“Probably a good idea.  I’m sure your husband is a nervous wreck right now.”

He’s right, and I just smile as I push the door open for us with my back.  

“Babs.”

He steps up to me, and I look down at the ground.  “Yeah.”

“I...know things...weren’t the greatest for you when you were with me.  But, I’d really like it if we could be friends now.”

My eyes float back up to him.  He’s smiling nervously, waiting for me to tell him that we can’t be, because so much has happened.  “I’d like that.”

“Hi! Who’re you?”

Davey is sticking his head between the doorframe and my waist, smiling up at Braeden, and I sigh a little, not being able to supress a small laugh as Bray smiles at me.  “Davey, this is my friend Braeden.  Don’t be rude, stand up straight and greet him properly.”

“But I’m hungry and the food is gonna get cold and Justin said, ‘what the hell is taking them so long!’ So I came to see!”

I grimace.  “David!”

Braeden cracks up.  “You’re a little ball of energy, aren’t you?”

Davey stares back at him for a moment, unmoving, a realization seeming to dawn on him the longer we stand here.  “You’re the man from the TV.”  

Oh God.  I hoped he would have forgotten, but it was a big deal, so why would he?

Braeden gives me a strange look.  

“When you came home...it was on the news,” I tell him quietly.

“Oh...” He trails off and his eyes get a little wide, and I can tell he gets it.  “You’re right.  I am.”  He crouches down to meet Davey’s level.  

“You’re a soldier?”

“Not anymore.”

“Are you going to steal Abbey again?”

He laughs and looks down ground.  “No, her place is here with you.  Although, she is a good friend of mine, and I’d like to visit more if I can.”

He studies him for a few more moments, in the way that only a child can to determine if somebody is safe or not.  “Do you want to come in the house and look at my room?”

“How about after dinner?”

Davey looks up at me and I nod at him.

“Okay!”  He tugs at Braeden’s hand.  “Come on!  You can sit near me!”

I raise an eyebrow as Braeden allows himself to be dragged through the door by my son, and he looks back over his shoulder after a moment, smiling at me like he always used to back when we were younger.  I return it, and shut the door behind me when I walk back into the house.  After a moment i can hear Justin greeting him and calling out my name to come join them.  It’s a different sort of situation, sure, and right now, I’m in disbelief that Bray can act this calm after so much has happened.

At the same time though, I think he needs to do it, for his own sanity.  

I know that I can be his friend now, despite everything, and it proves me even more that this is the way things were always supposed to be with us.

I just hope that one day, Braeden can find somebody that will love him as much as I used to.
Seventy Two by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Here's another one! Hope you guys enjoy! The story is drawing dangerously close to the end! I'm sad but glad you guys have stuck with it!

The house and grounds are overwhelming.  In a million years, I never thought I would be sitting in a place like this, talking to Abbey as her husband tends to the kids inside their sprawling mansion.  The fact that I can do this, and keep my head is a God damn miracle.  

But I’m not in love with her anymore, and that allows me to be happy about everything Justin has been able to give her.  The house, the cars, the possessions, and her children too.  They’re amazing babies.  I held them both, and when they smiled up at me, I felt myself get a little weak inside.  I knew I was holding the best part of Abbey then, and I was happy she was raising a loving family, even if I wasn’t the one who could give it to her.  I knew Justin took great care of her, of all of them, and he always would.  I was able to maintain my respect for him because of that, and I didn’t get angry, or jealous, because I knew he was the right man for Abbey.

He’s dedicated to her.  I can tell by the way he’ll look at her, smile at her. I can tell because of the way he’s caught her off guard tonight when he thought I wasn’t paying attention, and snuck long kisses on her mouth while he held her at the waist.  Seeing them that way told me how in love they are, and I guess I knew that was the kind of relationship they had from the day he came to see me at Alvin’s.  It’s a once in a lifetime kind of love with them, one that I thought Abbey and I shared at one time, but...I don’t think I ever loved her like he does.  He’s just swept up into her, sacrifices everything inside of him so she can be happy, and I’ll always pray that nothing ever happens to drive them apart.

They deserve to be happy, for the rest of their lives.

Once our emotions settled down, Christmas with my brother and Hannah turned out great.  Anthony and Kelly made sure to make them feel like family as we spent the next four days together, laughing, telling stories and playing games.  Michael took to them too, didn’t want them to leave when the day finally came, and my brother promised him that he would be back to visit, hopefully in the spring.  It was a nice gesture too...

But I’m not too sure it’s going to happen.  What Justin did was risk enough, and I have no idea how he would pull it off a second time.

The solution is to break down, ignore my fathers request to stay away, and try to talk to both of my parents.  If nothing else, being able to see Mark every once in a while would be enough to keep me happy.  Reconciling with my parents has turned into an unimaginable dream, and I have nobody else to blame for the estrangement we have but myself.

The holidays were over much too soon, and then we were back at work.  Anthony and I had a job remodeling a kitchen and a bathroom, before we came out to Texas.  For weeks I didn’t know who we were working for, and then one day, when I was checking an invoice for something, I saw the name Timberlake scrawled across the top of the page.  I sort of froze, thought about it for a moment, and convinced myself that it couldn’t be the same person.  

I guess that’s how I got myself through the next few weeks.  I continued to push the idea out of my mind, because I was down in Dallas to work, not to dwell on the past and that Abbey might have been closer to me than I thought.   Up until that point, I thought she was still in New York.

But I was wrong, and I would find that out all too soon.  Anthony came up to me one afternoon, absolutely fuming, telling me the owner of the firm told him we weren’t working fast enough.  It was bullshit because I knew we were, and all I could think was the guy had to be a son of a bitch.  Naturally, Bill had been informed, and called us later the same day to rip us a new one, telling us to get on the ball.

Of course, I was volunteered to pay Mr. Timberlake a visit the next day so I could ‘escort’ him to the work site. It was the first time the thought crossed my mind that I might be seeing Justin, in weeks, and I didn’t know what was going to happen, or what I was supposed to say.  All I knew was that...I couldn’t be angry if it was him.  He’d done a lot for me, a lot more than he probably thought.  I wanted to treat him respectfully, even if he was acting like a spoiled asshole, and speaking to Anthony like he was trash.

The person I first came in contact with when I walked through the door that day though, would knock me off course completely.

She was just there...Jessica.  She was there at the desk, looking...so unlike herself.  She was dressed up, her hair was done, and she was wearing makeup.  If I didn’t have a constant vision of her in the back of my mind, I probably wouldn’t have recognized her.  But I would have recognized her anywhere, and it was so fucking...weird, that she’d landed herself a job working for Justin Timberlake.  The way I felt about her started to rush back at me as I stood there and stared at her.  How much I missed her, how much shit she’d gotten me through at Fort Hood.  I wanted to hug her or something but...it was just so awkward.  I knew she must have been fresh back from Afghanistan, and I didn’t know how much it had changed her, or if she even cared about me anymore.

“Hey.”

She didn’t look up from the paper she was writing on.  It was apparent to me that she was very busy, and I was sure it was Justin’s doing.  “If you’re from construction just have a seat.”

I smiled slightly.  “Jess...it’s me.”

She slowly looked up, and her eyes went as wide as I ever saw them.  “S-Sampson?”  She put her hands over her mouth.  

“Yeah.” I smiled a little.  “It’s...it’s great to see you.”

She didn’t smile back though, and when I saw her pick up the phone with a trembling hand, I could tell that my very presence had pushed her over the edge.  I could see it in her eyes...she wasn’t the same girl I’d mopped the floor with and confessed all of my deepest fears to.  She’d changed.  She was weak now, fearful of most things in the world.  Almost like I used to be, but not quite as extreme.

Afghanistan had made her that way. I started to feel sick to my stomach, knowing there wasn’t a thing I could say to comfort her then.

“He’ll be out in a minute.”  She said it after she put the phone down.  Then she stood up, grabbed her cigarettes and started to rush toward the door.

“Jess...wait a second.”

“I can’t.”  She barely paused, before she pushed herself through the door.

Then she was gone again.

It hurt, but didn’t destroy me.  I had to keep my head, because I was working to better my life.  I was looking at some small houses before we left for Dallas, and with the money Anthony promised me from the job, I realized I would be able to put a down payment on one when I got back.  It was a huge accomplishment for me, and I didn’t want anything to destroy my chances at a better life.  So when Justin walked out to greet me, I forced myself to stay civil, and focus on the good points about him rather than the bad business parts.  

I’m still sad though.  I don’t think I have a way to get back in touch with Jessica, and I would really like to say hello and thank her properly before I leave.  But...maybe she doesn’t want to talk to me.  Maybe she wants to be left alone.

Part of me is accepting that, but the other part is trying to give me that push, one that says she needs me more than she’s letting on, and that I can help her.

“How’s your mom doing?”

Dinner was delicious, reminded me of the hundreds of times I must have sat down to dinner at the Feldman’s house when I was in high school.  She cooks just like her mother, right down to the dinner rolls, and as I ate, the flavors took me back, reminding me of so much, so many good, wholesome memories, and I felt myself melting away into the evening.  I enjoyed her company, and the boys’ conversation.  They asked me a ton of questions, Davey more so than Austin.  Justin was right.  He’s not the same kid I remember, and I blame that on him getting older and more emotional as a teenager.

“I haven’t spoken to her.”  I lean back in the chaise lounge and gaze out at the luxurious pool.  “My dad doesn’t want me calling or coming around.  If he knew about Mark’s trip, there would probably be some kind of criminal case pending against me,” I laugh sadly.

“Oh.”

She’s silent as she stares down at her lap, and I know she feels bad for me.  But I don’t want her sympathy.  I mean, she doesn’t really know what I’ve been doing, that I’ve managed to push my parents aside to focus on myself.  “I’m getting through it, Babs.”

Weird as it is to call her that, I can’t stop myself.  It’s something that will always be a part of us, and she doesn’t seem to care either.

“Can I...ask you something, since we’re alone?”

I look at her for a long moment, afraid of what it is, but knowing that I owe her that much.  “Sure.”

“When you...did all of that...was it because of me?”

I stare at her, feeling the emotions bundle up inside of my stomach like a huge knot.  “No.  It was because I wouldn’t get help.  I was a jackass, Abbey.  I regret everything now...so much, but there’s some things I know I can’t fix.  Bad things happened. I made the choice about how I was going to deal with them, and had to sacrifice the relationship I had with my parents because of it.  I’m coping with that, little by little. Anthony got me involved with a good psychiatrist, and I’m doing better now.  I’m moving on, and seeing Mark over the holiday gave me another boost.  I’m thankful.  I hope Justin realizes what he’s done for me.”

“If he didn’t, you wouldn’t be sitting out here with me by yourself,” she scoffs.  “Believe me, he’s thankful for what you did for us too.  We both are.”

I nod slightly and gaze back out at the pool.  “I know.”

“Justin and I were thinking about going to Colorado for a week when the boys have off for spring break.  Maybe...you know...maybe you can come up too.”

“I don’t think so.”  I manage to look at her and force a smile.  “Thanks, though.”

“There’s still some time,” she pushes.  “Maybe you’ll reconsider.”

I shrug.  “Maybe.”

She’s silent.  She doesn’t believe me.

“Hey baby...sorry, Mason is doing that thing, you know...the one where he doesn’t stop crying.”

Justin is standing in front of us now, his baby girl in his arms, looking disheveled as ever.  I know it’s been a long couple of hours for him, inside that house with four kids to keep in line.  I feel bad for putting him through it, and quickly get up from the chaise lounge, preparing to leave so I don’t overstay my welcome.  “I better get going anyway.”

“How much longer are you going to be around?” Abbey questions after Justin kisses her on the mouth.  

I shrug and glance at Justin.  “Another few weeks.  We’re still renovating.”

He smiles sheepishly.  “No rush...sorry.”

“Well you should come to dinner again.”  She eyes Justin like she know how much pressure he’s been putting on Anthony.  “Definitely before you leave.”

“Yeah, that would be great.”  I smile at her.

There are tears in her eyes now, and I know she’s remembering so much.  She’s sorry about so much too, but I don’t want her to be sorry.  Not for me.  I don’t think, I just go up to her and wrap my arms around her body in a long hug.  I know Justin is standing right here with us, but I also know he gets it, and...I know Abbey needs this from me.  She needs to know that I’m not angry, and that I don’t resent her at all for what her life has become without me.  “I’ll see you soon.”  I smile as I finally pull away and give her cheek the smallest kiss, knowing that it’s not crossing the line.

“Bye Bray.”

Justin hands the baby off to her after a moment and smirks at me once she’s gone back into the house.  “Walk you out?”

I nod.  “Sure.”

We walk through the house, and Davey stops me before I can get back to the front door, clinging to my leg and telling me that he wants me to come back over soon.  I reassure him that I’ll make the trip, and ruffle his hair gently before Justin tells him it’s time for me to leave.  Then we’re finally outside, standing on the front steps, looking at each other.  

“Thanks for coming,” he says softly.  “I think Abbey need this.”

“She did.”

He shakes my hand, and when I pull it away, I find that he’s left something behind.  A piece of paper.  I gaze down at it, then back at him, before I pull it apart.

“You should call her.”

I stare down at the number, knowing who’s it is, and have no clue why Justin would be making this much of an effort to get me and his secretary talking again.  “Why?”

“Because she needs somebody, and I need a damn assistant that doesn’t lose her mind every day of the week,” he laughs.  “Just call her, okay?”

I shake my head a little, before cramming the paper into my pocket.  “It’s not that simple.”

“It’s simple enough to pick up the phone and call.  I’m not saying the conversation will be easy, Braeden.  I can tell that girl is fucked up everyday I see her at the office, but...maybe...you can understand her better than most, that’s all.  She needs a friend, and you’ve obviously been through something with her.”

He’s right but...but I just don’t think I could take it if she turns me down, even for a friendship.  After everything I’ve gone through, more heartache could mean disaster for me.  “I...I’m trying to get my life together, Justin.”

“Life involves risk,” he reminds me.  “I took one, and...it was hard, but it worked out, and it worked out partially because of you.  I want to repay you.”

“Mark was enough repayment.”

“He wasn’t.”

I look into his eyes again, and I can tell he truly feels this way.  He wants me to have a great life, just like he does, and feels that Jessica is the key.  But how can he know.  I mean, we were never physical.  We never kissed or anything, because of Abbey...

Or is that the only reason why we never did?

I think back on it and it’s just...crazy, that we could have been in love without every admitting that to each other.  But I know that...that my emotions may have stretched that far, and if I had been in my right mind back then, maybe I would have acted on those impulses, but I couldn’t focus on them then.  Her vision has been plastered in the back of my mind though, ever since I started to get my act together.  No longer do I see Abbey walking towards me, smiling and laughing.  I see her instead.  I’ve been thinking about her a lot more than I cared to admit to myself, and forced myself not to admit my feelings for her because I was scared.

But now Justin is forcing me to focus on the way I might feel about her.

“Do me this one favor, Braeden.  Just try.”

I sigh heavily.  “I...I guess I can call her.”

“Good.”  He slaps me on the shoulder.  “Stop by the office sometime.  We’ll do lunch, okay?”

He opens the door and I can immediately hear a baby wailing in the background.  “Sure.  You...you better go.”

“Yeah,” he laughs.  “Abbey will kick my ass if I don’t help her.  Can you find your way back?”

“I’m pretty good at navigating.”  I force a smile.

“Cool.  I’ll talk to you soon.”

He disappears inside, and I’m left standing there, with a crumpled piece of paper inside my pocket that is my one and only link to Jessica Mantieri. I wish I could ignore it, but Justin pointed out a ton of shit to me just now that makes me want to follow through, and...I guess I have something inside of me, telling me that I need to do this too.

I get into Anthony’s truck and smile when I see a basket on the passenger seat, filled to the top with dinner rolls, mashed potatoes, and chicken.  Abbey did it, and I know that...we’re good friends now.  Everything is starting to turn around for me.  Abbey being the first thing.  Now I guess it’s on to my family, if I can.  As I drive, I start to think about Abbey’s offer to join them in Brighton.  Maybe it’s not the worst idea.  If nothing else, I know her parents would accept my presence, and it might feel good to take in my hometown with fresh eyes, even if my parents won’t accept me.  

I get back to the hotel, and knock on Anthony’s door so I can give him his share of Abbey’s cooking.  He’s greatful, but also asks me if Justin has changed his tune.  He’s still pissed off about the way Justin has been ranting and raving about the renovation, and I honestly can’t blame him.  I do my best to reassure him that Justin will be a lot more mellow after tonight, and he gives me a skeptical look, but acts like he believes me.  He asks me to come in and watch some TV, but I tell him I’m too tired, that I’ll see him in the morning.

That’s a lie of course, but I won’t tell him the circumstances.  I haven’t told him about seeing Jessica yet, because I know he would nag me about talking to her until it drove me crazy.  I’ve told him about her of course.  He always tells me she’s the one that got away.

Thinking about that makes me laugh to myself when I get back in the privacy of my room.

Maybe he’s right.

I sit on the edge of the bed, my hand on top of the phone, staring down at the piece of paper.  Part of me is trying to talk myself out of doing this.  It tells me that I’m still a freak to some regard, and she won’t want anything to do with me.  But then...I feel that other part, the one that believes what Justin said.  That she needs a friend, and I’m the best candidate.  I think about all the nights we sat in that mess hall together, and just..talked.  I remember that I could cry into her and how she would hold me, tell me that she was right there and wasn’t going to leave.

Maybe I loved her then.

Maybe I always have from the moment we met.

But I just...I just don’t know.

I pick up the phone, forcing myself to punch in the numbers on the piece of paper.

It starts to ring.

I’m about to hang up by the third ring, realizing how fucking scared I am.

But then...

“Hello?”

She sounds a little groggy, and I know it’s only eight thirty.  It means she sleeps a lot.  That she’s depressed, and...I feel horrible automatically.  “Hey, Jess.”

“Who...who is this?”

“It’s Braeden.”

There’s a long pause.  I can picture her staring back at the phone in disbelief, not sure how I managed to get her number.

“Are you stalking me, Sampson?”

I let out a small laugh.  “No.”

“I thought I made it pretty clear that...that we can’t talk.”

“I just want to catch up.  Is that so bad?”

“How did you get my number?”

“I just...got it.”

“Did my boss give you my number?”

She’s freaking out.  I guess I should have expected this, but...it sucks.  I just want to be her friend right now.  It doesn’t have to be so damn complicated.  “Who cares how I got it? Jess...you’ve been gone for such a long time, and a lot of shit went down in both of our lives.”

“You’re married.  That means we shouldn’t be talking.”

I sigh heavily.  “I’m not married anymore.”

“You’re...you’re not...”

“It’s a long story,” I tell her, gently.  “That’s why I wanted to call you, so we could maybe talk.”

“I just...I just don’t....I don’t know.”

“Why not?”

“I’m...bad luck, that’s all.”

It’s a breakthrough.  I doubt she’s said anything like this to anybody since she got back from country.  Something serious happened, and it’s affected her greatly.  I want to help but...that’s all up to her.  “You’re not bad luck, Jess.  You were always able to help me.”

“That was in the past.  I’m not the same person.”

“Neither am I.”

“I get an hour for lunch,” she says quickly.  “Tomorrow...I’ll give you that but...nothing else.  I just want to make sure you’re doing okay, because...I consider you a friend, I guess.”

“Fine.”  I smile.  Yes.  It might not be much, but it’s something.  It’s better than her hanging up on me, and I’ll make the best of that hour.  “Tomorrow it is.”

“Night.”


r32;The phone clicks off in my ear, and I feel myself grinning from ear to ear as I fall back onto the bed, gazing up at the ceiling, feeling something inside of me that I haven’t felt...in years.  That undeniable feeling you get when you know you’ve fallen hard for somebody.  I don’t want to jump to conclusions of course, get my hopes up only to be shot down by her, but for some reason I feel like I can push through her barriers...get her to see that she can better her life.

Once again, Justin is responsible for putting a little more happiness into my life, and I just don’t understand why.  It’s like some unwritten message from fate, telling me that it’s time to get rewarded for all I’ve endured.

I just hope I’m right.

Seventy Three by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
I promise there is a method to my madness.  Enjoy :)

“Sir?”

I force myself not to smile as I keep my gaze focused on the computer screen.  “Jessica?”

“What...what is this?”

“Hmm?”  I actually look at her this time.  She’s standing before me, waving a torn open envelope in the air, her eyes wide, her expression disheveled because she doesn’t know what to think.

Okay so, maybe I’m going overboard with this.  Abbey told me I might be, that ‘Braeden isn’t ready for romance just yet.’  But you know, I think she underestimates him.  I saw the way his eyes lit up when Jessica’s name was mentioned that first day in my office.  The way he defended her, like he knew every single emotion that brewed inside of her.  I understood it, because it’s the same way I’ve felt about Abbey from the beginning.

I guess I know...I know he might be in love with her, and I’ll do anything to get Jessica to realize that.  Despite the way I’ve treated her, I can’t deny that when she’s doing her job correctly, she really is very good.  So good, that I want to make her full time and get her through school too.  But, I can’t do any of that until she has her head screwed on straight, and I figured booking her and Braeden on a little getaway might just be the trick.

I guess I wasn’t expecting her to react this way.  I should have.  It’s like I’m invading her personal life and I have no grounds to do that because, as I’ve put so bluntly to her in the past, we’re not friends like that.

“Sir?”

“It’s just a little gift.  You’ve been working hard.”

“You hate the way I work.”

I laugh at her.  “I don’t hate the way you work, I hate the way your personal life effects the way you work.  I know you’re better than this.  Cheryl’s in your blood.”

She slowly approaches my desk, trying to remain professional, because she doesn’t want to let her real emotions shine through to me.  Of course I can understand.  “This is a trip to a bed and breakfast.”  She slaps the envelope down onto my desk. “I...I really don’t know what you’re up to.  If you’re one of those guys who cheats on his wife...”

“You’re crazy.  I’m madly in love at the moment, and you’re definitely not my type,” I laugh.  “I figured you might have a use for it, that’s all.”

It’s silent for the longest time.  She’s staring at me like she knows exactly what I did.  That I’m the reason Braeden called her, because I can tell that he must have.  This morning when I said hello to her, she barely looked at me.  She was a nervous wreck, and my only guess is that she’s going to be spending her lunch hour with him. It made me smile.  I was happy that the guy took my advice, because I really want this for him, even though my wife is so unsure.  When I explained the situation, I could tell she knew who Jessica was, but she didn’t get into it with me.  I knew it was a memory she wanted to forget, because her marriage to Braeden was long over.  Her life had changed drastically since then.  We’d gotten married, had children.  Our relationship was a happy, committed one, and our biggest problems were getting our twins through teething, and trying to convince Austin that he was loved, even if he didn’t think so.

I called Kim this morning, and even though she told me she would be glad to take Austin if that’s what he wanted, I could hear the sadness in her voice.  She was sure that the right place for the boys was with Abbey and I after we’d reconciled our differences.  Hearing me ask her to take him in, shocked her I think.  Abbey seems to think that the situation will be rectified.  That Austin wants to stay, but needs gentle coaxing to get him to realize it.  Honestly, I’m tired of battling with him, and the only reason I haven’t bought the plane ticket for him yet, is because of my wife.  She feels getting him away for the weekend, with just the two of them, will make everything okay again.  Naturally, I’ll let her do whatever she wants.  Take on Davey and two teething babies myself, because I love her, but I’m so afraid that it won’t work.  That she’ll come home and Austin will pack his bags and leave anyway.

I know that would crush her.  It’s my biggest fear.

“Did you give...give Braeden my number?”

“Yeah,” I admit.  “I did.”

“Why would you do that? You...don’t even know...”

“I know a lot, actually.  My wife was married to him for a while.  The rest is a long story.”

Her jaw drops open.  “Are you telling me...your wife is...that Abbey?”

I chuckle.  “Small world, huh?”

“I’m resigning.”

“No, you’re not.”

She turns as if she’s going to run out on me, but something seems to stop her.  When she turns around again, the tears are more than apparent on her face.  “You’re not supposed to do this!  You don’t even know...what’s happened in my life!  I can’t put on a happy face for Braeden when I’m this much of a fucking mess, Justin!  And yes, I’m calling you Justin! Not sir, not Mr. Timberlake!  If you can invade my space I can invade yours, you asshole!  I’m so fucking tired of kissing your ass and prancing around here on my tiptoes just so you won’t freak out!  Yeah, I need a damn cigarette every hour, does that make me a criminal?  Maybe if you weren’t so cheap and could hire a receptionist you wouldn’t have to worry about it, would you!”

I laugh, and she’s shocked.  Anybody else, including the serious business man she met at her interview, would have fired her for that.  But this is different.  This is for Braeden, and so, I’ll let it go.  She has a point too.  I’ve been too harsh with her, and I need to tone it down.  Business has been taking over my mind when I’m at the office, money too, and I know...I need to treat her with some respect since she’s been handling so much shit on my behalf. “I can accept that.  I guess I just wish I could understand what happened to you, but I know that’s not my place.”

“You wouldn’t understand.”  Her lips tremble and a sharp sob escapes her.  “You don’t even know what it’s like to lose somebody.”

I lick my lips and let out a long sigh.  “Actually, I do.”

She stares at me.

“Remember how I told you my kid brothers live with me?”

“Uh huh.”

“Well, my parents were killed in a car wreck a few years ago. Drunk driver.  Before that, I hadn’t spoken to them in about seven years, and my brothers were just little kids when I left for the city.  I had to uproot them...and raise them.  If it hadn’t been for Abbey, I don’t know what I would have done.  Then...Braeden came home alive, and I lost her for a while too.  Things are better now...my life is better and so is hers.   Having money makes people think I don’t have any problems but...I would give up all my money if it meant I could have my parents back.  There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t miss them.”

“I...I...didn’t...”

“I don’t expect you to know my life story,” I say softly.  “I don’t shout it off the rooftops or anything.  I’m happy now.  My life is good, I have great kids and the best wife in the world, but there’s always going to be a part of me that regrets not being able to spend time with my parents before they passed.”

She nods slightly, and slowly sits down in one of the chairs across from my desk.  “He never saw it coming.  I tripped a wire while we were patrolling an area.  I got out of the way in time but...he was gone.  My best friend.”

“It wasn’t your fault.”

She sobs into her hands for a few moments.  “Then who’s fault was it?”

“It’s a war.  Things happen.  Bad things.”

She shakes her head.  “I should have been paying attention.  I was trained better than that.”

I sigh.  “I doubt I’m the right person to be talking to about it, Jess.  I just...want you to realize that you have an opportunity to be with somebody that can understand you.”

“Braeden has enough of his own problems, without taking mine on too.”

“He cares about you,” I say, giving her a small smile.  “I know he does.”

She shakes her head.  “It’s not...that simple.”

“Maybe it can be,” I persist, and get up from the desk, making sure to pick up the envelope she placed there so I can give it back to her again.  “You just have to accept it, and give him a chance.  I’m trying to help you out.”  I reach the door and open it.  “Whatever you do with the things I’m giving you...that’s up to you.  I’m not forcing you to do anything.”

“Why are you doing all of this? Why...why should you care?”

“Because I owe him, and I like you.  Now come on, I have to get back to work.  It’s Friday and I promised my wife I’d be home early.  Our twins are teething.  Enough said.”

“Justin I...” She trails off and looks down at the floor.

I smile slightly.  “Yeah?”

“Thanks.”

She leaves me after that, starts answering the phone and getting back to business again.  I think I’ve done the right thing by her.  In fact, I don’t think, I know that I have.  It gives me peace of mind, and I’m able to work diligently until lunch time hits.  Then I stop what I’m doing, and venture out into the hallway, stopping in my tracks when I see what’s going on outside my office.

Braeden has arrived, and Jessica is wrapped in his arms, crying into his chest.  He doesn’t notice me for a while, but when he does he smiles at me a little bit, and I nod in approval.

This is the way things are supposed to be.

“Take the rest of the day,” I tell them.

Jessica snaps to attention and looks back over at me.  “Oh...I...I couldn’t.”

“I’m telling you to do it.”  I smile, and walk over to the front door so I can open it for them.  “I don’t want to see you back here, until Tuesday.”

“The man’s giving you an order,” Braeden says with a small laugh.  “Guess you better do what he says.  Come on.”  He pulls away from her and takes her by the hand.  “Let’s go.”

She obeys, lets him lead her out of the office.  Braeden doesn’t hesitate to send me a grateful smile at me over his shoulder, before he disappears with her.  My heart melts a little bit.  I know things are going to work out with them eventually, and I know they’l be able to have a normal life one day.

I’m feeling so sappy in fact, that I decide to close up shop for the day, not caring about how much money I’ll lose or how many clients I might piss off.  I think I owe it to myself to have a romantic evening with my wife for once.  We haven’t really been able to do it since we moved here, and I know with the babies and the boys, we’re both too stressed at times to appreciate our marriage as much as we should.

“Hey.” Abbey smiles happily when I walk through the door, and gets up to greet me.  “What’re you doing home so early?”r32;
I kiss her long and hard before handing her the bouquet of flowers I’ve brought for her.  She smells them for a moment, before smiling back at me again.  “Just thought I’d take an early Friday.”

“And the occasion?”  She walks into the kitchen, and I follow behind as she puts the flowers into some water and puts them in the center of the kitchen island.

“Because I love you.”

She pauses and stares at me for a long moment.  “I love you too.”r32;
“What’s up with the kids?”

She saunters up to me once again, and puts her arms around my neck.  “I just put the babies down for a nap.  Davey is sleeping at Brian’s tonight, and Austin is still at school for the next four hours.”

“Oh really?” I raise an eyebrow.  “You got any plans until then?”

“I was going to fold some laundry.  I’m starting with the whites.  Very exciting, as always...”

I sweep her up in a kiss before she can ramble on, and soon enough, she gives up and kisses me back equally as hard.  I manage to pull her up the stairs as we kiss, and into the bedroom.  She’s loosening my tie and I’m unbuttoning her blouse as I kick the door closed behind us.  We collapse onto the bed together, and I strip her down, seducing her body with my lips and tongue before we make love.  

“That was definitely a nooner,” she laughs, exasperated, once we finish.  “We gotta do that more often.”

I kiss her neck.  “I can shoot for random days in the week to make it more exciting.”

“Like espionage?”

“Sort of.  Can you dress up like Cat Woman or something?  That shiny patent leather turns me on.”

“That would be...pushing it,” she laughs and slaps my shoulder.  “Keep it to the point, Timberlake.”

I kiss her again and smile back at her, marveling in her for a few minutes, thinking about how lucky I am that she’s here with me, and that she wouldn’t be if it wasn’t for Braeden.  “So I...sent Braeden and Jessica away for a long weekend.”

She stares at me for a moment.  “What’d you mean?”

“I got them a reservation at this little bed and breakfast.  I think they’ll finally be able to talk about a lot of things.”

She licks her lips.  “It’s really nice, Justin.  I’m just concerned that she’ll hurt him, that’s all.”

“Life is about risk,” I remind her as I smooth some hair behind her ear.  “Nobody knows that better than us, baby.  I think what they have is special, you know? I really believe that they can be happy together.  I hope you can too.”

“I guess I just worry about him still.  Maybe too much.”

“I wouldn’t expect you not to.  Your hearts too big.  That’s one of my favorite things about you.”

She sighs.  “Is it weird that we’re talking about this in bed?”

“Probably,” I laugh.  “But we’re weirdo’s anyway.”

“You might be.”  

I pull her closer to me and smile.  “C’mon, it takes one to know one.  We’ve had this discussion before.  You married me, that automatically makes you a weirdo.”

“As long as it’s just weirdo by marriage, I guess I can live with that.”

“Did you and Austin decide what you’re doing during my weekend of torture,” I say as I start to let my lips wander from her neck to her shoulder, and down from there.  

“We might just...do the...aquarium...”

My lips land on her inner thigh and I hear her start to breath harder.  “You’re gonna do the aquarium? Sounds interesting, we’ll have to try that sometime.  Going for it solo can’t be all that fun.”

“Freak.  You know...what...I...oh god Justin...”
 
I have to laugh, because she’s lost herself in my touch. I know just the spots to lick and finger her, that drive her completely crazy.  “You like that?”

“Stop playing around, and get back up here right now.  I want you in me.”

I obey, and she pushes me down onto my back, so she can climb on top of me.  Then she rides me, long and hard.  It’s been forever since we’ve done it like this, and she knows it.  That’s why she’s putting more effort in, even though she’s probably tired.  She’ll give herself to me though, because I’ve been so patient with her.

"Wahhh Wahhhhhhh"

Baby monitor.

“Why me?” I groan as our headboard hits the wall.

“Shit.”

We manage to finish before the cries become too horrendous, and she slides off of me while I continue to catch my breath.  “I’ll be back in soon,” she tells me as she pulls her clothes back on.  “It might just be a bottle.”

“Yeah...no...no rush.”

I hear her shuffle out of the room, and then the door clicks closed.  It takes me a good ten minutes more to completely catch my breath and then I slowly sit up in the bed, leaning against the headboard for support.  Damn, no matter how much money I lost today, what we just did it made it all worth it.  

I feel like our lives are getting more perfect by the day.  We couldn’t be happier, and I’m so thankful for that.

The phone begins to ring, the landline, and since I can still hear Abbey inside the nursery through the baby monitor, I decide to pick it up.  “Hello?”

“Justin?”

It’s Andrea, and I almost smile, before I realize her voice sounds more than distraught.  “Hey...Andrea.  How are you?”

“Is Abbey near you?”

“She’s just inside with the babies.  Is...is everything all right?”

“It’s Jim...” She trails off and I hear her sob. “He’s...he’s had a stroke.”

My world stops.  Everything stops.  My heart even feels frozen in my chest for a long moment, knowing that something horrible has happened to Abbey’s father.

No.

Not now.

“How bad is it?”

“They don’t know yet,” she whimpers.  “Right now he’s in a coma.  Do you think you can make the trip out here?”

“Absolutely,” I say, without hesitation.  “We’ll be there tomorrow if we can.”

“I...is it all right if I have you tell Abbey the news? I’m trying to hold things together here at the hospital.”

“Yeah...I...I can do that.”

“See you soon.”

The line goes dead and I just stare back at the phone.  How...how can this be happening? Everything was fine, going great.  And now...now this.

Abbey is going to try hard not to fall apart, but I know how close she is with her father, what a special relationship they’ve always had.  Enough has happened in their lives and right now, they’ve been at a great place in their relationship.  This is going to tear into her, she’s going to feel helpless and I...I can’t do much to fix the situation, besides stay by her side.

“It was just Vicki,” Abbey smiles as she makes her way back into our bedroom, shutting the door behind her.  “She needed a change, but then she went right back to sleep.” She crawls back beside me on the bed and starts to kiss me again, but when I gently push her away, the light in her eyes fades away to nothing at all.  “What is it? Who was on the phone.  I heard it ringing.”

“It was your mom.”  I run my fingers through her hair as I say it.  

“What’d she say?” She half smiles, as if she won’t believe anything is wrong at all.

“It’s about your dad.”


“W-what...what about my dad?”

I look down at the mattress for a moment, before looking back up at her again and taking her hands in mine.  “He had a stroke.”

“Oh...Oh god...” She whimpers.  “But...but he’s okay right? It wasn’t a big one was it?”

“He’s...he’s in a coma.  They aren’t sure how bad it is yet.”

She says nothing.  Her eyes just go wide and she covers her mouth with one of her hands.

“Baby.”  I pull her down to my chest as she starts to cry hysterically.  “He’ll pull through this, okay? I’ll get the best doctors to see him.  I’ll make sure of it.”

“But what if he doesn’t?” She cries.  “What if the doctors can’t help him?  What happens then?”

I can’t answer her.

I don’t know what the right answer is.

Seventy Four by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Three chapters left :(

“No Davey! I said I don’t feel like it!”

“But I want to play!  You can’t play with just one player!  You need two!”r32;
“Boys.” I grunt at them harshly and they both freeze as they look over at me.  I adjust Victoria in my arms and narrow my eyes at them. “This isn’t the time or the place.”

Austin just nods and sits down, while Davey starts to spread his Uno cards all over the floor in a pitiful attempt to entertain himself.  Whatever.  I don’t care what he does, as long as he stays out of my hair.

God, I don’t want to feel this way about him, or Austin.  I never have before, but this is a very, very trying time for me in general, and I’m surprised I haven’t snapped at Justin yet.

Although, he hasn’t given me a reason to.  Actually, we haven’t been seeing nearly enough of each other since we flew out here. He seemed to step up to the plate as soon as we got off the plane, taking on the role of family caretaker.  He’s doing his best to keep things organized, keep my mother from losing it completely, and make certain that my father is only seen by the very best neurologists and doctors.  They’ve flown in from all over, the very best medical professionals in the country.  I have no clue how Justin pulled it off, but I haven’t asked.  He doesn't want me to ask.  He just wants me to sit tight, and try to keep my emotions in check, while he does all the hard shit.  

I love him for that.  

Late at night when we finally go back to my parents house to get some sleep, I can tell how fatigued he is.  He’ll help me get the babies settled, and make sure the boys are in bed, before pulling me into a bedroom with him and wrapping his arms around me.  He’s passed out within ten minutes.  That’s the only time we’re ever really alone, but I don’t care.  I’d rather get to fall asleep in his arms than on the floor of the waiting room.  It’s keeping me from going off the deep end, and he knows that too.

It’s been almost two weeks since we’ve been here, and the stress has been bearing down on me more and more as time has passed.  We were supposed to make a trip out here next month, stay with my parents and let them ogle over the babies for a week.  It was supposed to be a happy time. A time for the babies and the boys to bond with my parents while Justin and I found time to go out and do things together like the young couple that we are.

Instead, we’re here now, at Platte Valley Medical, huddled together, waiting on a word, any word, that my father is going to start pulling through this.

It doesn’t look very good right now.

They said it just happened to him.  One minute he was at work, selling cars like any other day, and then he just...froze, and dropped to the ground.  He slipped into a coma during the ambulance ride to the hospital, and has been out since.  They said it was a blood clot that cut off the circulation of blood and oxygen to his brain, and his main neurologist seems to think that he was prolonged of oxygen long enough to cause him permanent brain damage...

When and if he wakes up.

I’ve tried to keep myself from breaking down.  Actually, I think the last time I cried about this was the day we got the call.  I’ve sucked it all up since then.  Justin tells me he knows that I’m holding back.  Late at night when he holds me against his warm body he tells me that I can cry.  I can’t do it.  I try but...but it’s like my body has taught itself how to hold it all back.  I know it’s bad.  I think it’s the kids that keep me going of course.  The babies still need my attention and since Justin is usually busy yelling at the doctors, demanding answers every minute of the day, that means I’m stuck with the kids.  Austin has been a godsend.  He’s really coming around, helping to look after Davey and the babies, but of course we don’t have time to focus his behavior. I don’t think he’s holding it against me this time, though.

For the first time in months, I think he realizes how much he matters to this family.  That I might collapse if we were to lose him.  Justin too.

It’s the truth.

“Feel like switching?”

My sister sits down next to me, flashing me a warm smile as she cradles Mason in her arms.  She too, has been more helpful than I would have expected.  She was a mess when we first came here, cried into me and all of that.  Justin had a couple of long talks with her though, and she started to calm down a little.  That and the fact that I’ve been having her help out with the babies during the day, has seemed to be getting her through this.  This whole thing has made me realize how therapeutic the twins can be.  They’re still teething so they keep Hannah and I busy.  We have to comfort them constantly, use ice and frozen teething rings to get them by.  Sometimes I’ll go in and sit with my father as I hold one of them, and it seems to help slightly.  I’m able to talk to him as he lies there, tell my babies stories about their grandfather too.  It seems to help them fall asleep, and that’s good, because right now is the worst time for them to be crying and in pain.

“Sure.”  I place Victoria in her carrier as Hannah hands Mason off to me, and I kiss his forehead as Hannah picks up Victoria.  “How is he?”r32;
“Not so bad today.” She flashes me a tiny smile as she kisses Victoria’s cheek and rocks her gently.  “He’s been sleeping a lot.”

I stare down at my son, and he gazes up at me with that smile of his.  The one he hasn’t been showing off lately because of his pain.  “That’s good.  She’s been pretty quiet too.”

Hannah just nods, as she keeps her gaze focused on her niece.  “How’s...how’s dad? Have they said anything?”

I shrug.  “Doctor Adams came out before and said he has strong brain activity today, whatever that means.  Mom’s been in there all morning with him.  I haven’t wanted to bother them, you know?”

“Yeah.”

It’s silent, for the longest time after that.  My sister is like me, like my dad, doesn’t want to become too emotional, because she knows she’ll never make it back to this level of sanity otherwise.  “Where’s Mark?”

“He’s home...”  She trails off for a moment.  “He said he had to talk to his parents.”

I won’t ask questions, but at the same time I’m curious.  Mark has been a lot...better, since I came out here.  He knows who was responsible for his reunion with Braeden, so in turn, he’s been trying to help my family out whenever possible.  I know Justin took him to the grocery store yesterday, just to get him away from all of this for a little while.  I guess they talked.   I asked him that night in bed and he told me that Mark seemed to be over whatever bad feelings he’d been holding inside of him due to our marriage.  That’s good I guess...

But he and I still haven’t sat down and really talked about anything yet.  I won’t expect it though.  There’s too much going on right now with dad for me to focus on Mark.

“I think Braeden might be coming,” Hannah continues.  

I look up at her slowly, and feel my eyes go wide.  While I knew he would probably find out about my dad eventually, I never thought he would actually make the trip.  There’s still too much bad blood for him here.  His parents...would make things very difficult for him if he came, I’m sure.  But at the same time, it’s my dad, somebody he’s known since he moved to Brighton all those years ago.  My parents are like family to him, Hannah is like family to him.  I am too...

Even if we’re not together, and never will be again.

“How...how do you know?”

“Mark called him yesterday.”

I nod slightly.

“Barbara and Sammy can’t stay angry with him for the rest of his life,” she mutters.  “Bray is their son and...like, he shouldn’t even be alive right now.  What he did was bad but...he’s better now.”

“You know how Barbara is,” I remind her.  

“It’s Sammy, not Barbara.  She wants to see him, Mark told me that.  But Sammy doesn’t want anything to do with him.  It’s...it’s wrong.  It’s like he can’t understand what Braeden went through.”

I know it’s a difficult situation.  Sammy is reacting the only way he knows how, the protective way.  He doesn’t understand that Braeden is better, that he’s been able to heal and get help.  The whole thing...him coming home, marrying me and moving away, I know was a lot for his family to take in.  Mostly, I feel responsible for the night he hurt his mother, even though Braeden told me it wasn’t my fault.  Maybe he’s right though.  Maybe if I stayed...

Maybe if I stayed that would have been me who was thrown through a patio door.

It makes me shudder a little, thinking about what could have been.

“You guys hungry?”

My sister and I both look up at the same time.  Justin is here now, and plops down into a chair, putting a large tray of food from the cafeteria down onto the coffee table in the center of the room.

 “I got some muffins, sandwiches...whatever.  Dig in.” He moves so he can sit next to me, and take the baby out of my arms.  “You okay baby?” He says it as he kisses me on the mouth.  

I nod slightly, and allow him to take Mason from me.  “I guess so.”

“Eat somethin.”  He nods towards the food as he runs his fingers through our son’s curly  mass of hair.  

The boys immediately take food for themselves, and after a moment, Hannah puts Victoria in her carrier and does the same.  Really, I have no appetite at all right now, but I pick up a muffin and start to put pieces of it in my mouth just so he won’t complain.  I know he worries that I’m not eating enough, and he’s right.  Hannah isn’t either, and my mother is on a completely different spectrum.  Justin has had to sit there with her at some points, making sure she puts something in her stomach.  I know she loves him for it.  “Doctor Adams said dad has strong brain activity today,” I tell him as I chew and swallow.

“Yeah,” he nods.  “I heard.”

Of course he would.  He’s up that guys ass twenty-four seven.  I silently finish my muffin and let out a long sigh.

“Maybe you should get some air,” Justin suggests as she cradles Mason in his arms.  “I got the kids.  Go ahead.”

He knows I don’t look good, and that’s why he’s suggesting I do it.  I guess I don’t.  I guess when I woke up this morning...I knew how bad I looked.  Pale face, worn, disheveled expression.  Tired eyes with bags underneath, from waking up ten times during the night.  Justin knows how bad I’m hurting, but he doesn’t like to make a big deal about it.  He knows that’s what I need.  That if he bugs me I might end up snapping at him.  I guess it’s because he’s been through this.  He lost his parents.  He knows what I feel like, even if my father hasn’t passed.  “Are you sure?”

He smiles lightly and kisses my cheek.  “Take however long you need, Ab.”

I stand up slowly and stretch a little bit, before telling them all that I’ll be back in a little while.  Hannah is fine with it, and Austin barely says a word.  Davey, naturally, begs to come with me because he’s bored, and I’m about to take him, but Justin is quick to tell him no.  I know why.  He feels that I should be allowed to have some time to myself, and I guess I’m grateful.  

I think I could cry right now, and I don’t want Davey to see.

I manage to get outside without breaking down, and look over my shoulder quickly to ensure I’m in the clear before I dig it out of my pocket.  My father’s cigarettes.  I haven’t smoked since high school, but for the past few days I’ve been indulging during the moments I’m completely alone.  It takes the stress away, and I know it’s not the best way to do it, but I just don’t care.  I think Justin knows.  He may have caught me the other night out on the porch before I could completely put the thing out, but he didn’t say anything.

I light up, inhale and exhale the smoke and nicotine.  It perks me up slightly, allows most of the stress inside of me to escape for just a little while.  I put my father out of my mind as I watch various vehicles and ambulances pull in and out of the parking lot.  It soothes me, watching them.  

Then a cab pulls up to the curb, right in front of where I’m standing.  The doors open.  A young brunette girl gets out curbside, and stands a little ways down from me.  Then whoever she’s with gets out too.  The difference is...

I know him.

I know him well.

Braeden looks so strong, so put back together, even though I can tell there are tears in his eyes as he goes around to the now open trunk and collects a few bags out of it.  I know he’s here for my dad and my family, and no other reason.

This girl I know, has to be Jessica too.

She’s about my height, young and very pretty.  She’s perky too.  I can tell because she keeps a smile on her face for Braeden as he drags the bags over to where she’s standing.  I realize he’s focused on her, completely oblivious to the fact that I’m standing here, and when I see him place a soft kiss on her lips...

I know that his life is different now.  That she’s the right girl for him, even though I’ve had my doubts since Justin told me what he did for them.

“Hey Bray.”  I toss the end of my cigarette on the ground and put it out.

He turns slightly, Jessica still wrapped in his arms, and his eyes go a little wide.  He’s probably realizing that I’ve been standing here the whole time, and feels foolish.  “Abbey.”  He lets go of his “girlfriend,” and rushes over to me so he can wrap me up in his arms.

He holds me close and I let him.  I also let myself...break down, finally.  Cry against his chest because despite it all, he knows my family better than most people, and knows how close I am with my father.

“How is he?” I hear him whisper after a while.

“They don’t really know.”  I sniffle as I pull back from him.  “He’s still in a coma.”

He nods slightly.  “Ab...I’m...I’m so sorry...”

“Don’t be.” I force smile and wipe at my eyes a little bit.  “I’m just...glad that you’re here.  My dad would be too, and I’m sure my mom will love to see you.”  

He manages to smile at me, before looking off to his left where Jessica has been standing silently, waiting for us to finish.  I guess she must be respectful.  Shit, I need to come around and accept her.  Braeden can make his own decisions, and if he wants to be in a relationship with this girl, who am I to be so bitter about it? There’s no reason for that.  I guess it’s just because when I first heard about Jessica...we were still married, and I couldn’t understand.  Deep down, I know they never messed around back then.  This is a first for them...being together.

I guess...I mean, I know...I’m happy for them.

“Babs, this is Jessica.”  He holds out his hand for her, and she slowly comes over and takes it.  

“Hi.”  She says it nervously.  “I’ve um...heard a lot about you.”

I smile for her, and we shake hands.  “Hey.”

It’s awkward, and I think we all know that, so when Braeden suggests we head inside to get out of the chilly Colorado air, I don’t hesitate.  We head back to the waiting room, and I smile when I see Justin on the floor, having given in to Davey’s whining that he needed somebody to play Uno with.

“Bray!”  My sister exclaims, and puts Mason down in his carrier before she jumps up and runs over to him.  He catches her in his arms and they hug long and hard.

Justin glances up at me, and smirks a little bit, before turning his attention to his assistant.  Jessica is standing a little bit off to the side, and there is an unspoken conversation taking place between them.  Justin knows what’s been going on, and she knows that he knows.  They’re smiling at each other.  I know that Jessica might just be in love with Braeden, and that...that’s great.

But, she better stay committed to him.

God, stop it, Abbey.


“Hey man,” Justin smiles as he gets up from the floor and shakes Braeden’s hand.  “Thanks for making the trip.”

Braeden nods and eyes me quickly before focusing on my husband again.  “It’s important.  Of course I’d come out.”

“This one been keeping you busy?” Justin laughs next, nodding over at Jessica.  

His face turns bright red.

I know they’re deep into it, and soon it will be like they’ve always been together.  Like the relationship he and I shared never existed.  It’s almost sad but...I know it’s the way things have to be.

“I guess so,” Braeden laughs nervously, and reaches his hand out, which Jessica quickly takes.  He pulls her to him, wraps his arms around her waist and grins at us again.  “Thanks to you.”

“Pleasure.”  

“You can stop embarrassing us now,” Jessica smiles.

“It’s my job to embarrass my favorite employees,” Justin laughs.  “Right Ab?”

“Sure.”  

Braeden stares at me, his happy go lucky expression beginning to fade away.

He knows that this is weird for me, and hell, yeah, I’m admitting it.  It’s weird to see him standing there, holding somebody else in his arms.  No it’s not like I want him back or anything.  It’s just...

I never imagined this for us.

And I guess I know how he probably felt the first time he saw me wrapped in Justin’s arms, now.  The sad thing, is nobody else would understand how I feel.  Nobody besides Braeden and I’m not going to discuss it with him.  He’s come too far and so have I.  

I just have to trust this thing he’s started with Jessica, and hope it works out for him, be happy for him.  I have more important things to focus on, like my marriage, my children and...

And my daddy.

“Folks.”

Doctor Adams has emerged from my father’s room, and immediately, all conversation ceases.  The babies are cooing a little bit, but otherwise, the entire waiting room has fallen silent as we stare at him.  I know he has news.  He wouldn’t look so serious if he didn’t.  

Justin’s hand grabs onto mine, and immediately, I forget my feelings about Braeden.  I squeeze it, and lace my fingers through his, knowing that he loves me, and that he’s prepared to stand by my family no matter the outcome of this.

“What is it?” Justin finally speaks up.

“He’s awake.”r32;


“Oh...my god...”  I whimper, and Justin pulls me close to him so I won’t fall to my knees.  

“He’s okay, right?” Hannah speaks up.  “He’s awake, so that mean’s he can go home soon.”  

“Well, not quite yet.  These things take time, and we’re just starting to crack the surface, and conduct some tests.  For now, we’re not completely sure how much damage has been done to his brain.  His speech is impaired, so we know the left side of his brain has been affected by the stroke.”

“Impaired?” I whimper.

“You’re saying he can’t talk?” Justin says.

Doctor Adams nods.  “He babbles and makes sounds with his throat, but he can’t form any comprehendible words.  He is trying though, and I’m confident that he can understand what’s being said to him. That’s a very good sign that his brain will be able to function somewhat normally after some intense recovery.  We can start him on speech therapy as soon as he’s well enough.  For now, the best thing we can do is let him rest.”

“The girls will need some time with him,” Justin says automatically, because my sister and I are crying so hard, that we can’t speak for ourselves.  “When can they see him?”

“Now is fine,” he nods.  “Just the girls though.  Anymore and he could become overwhelmed.”

He pulls me back to him and kisses me long and hard on the mouth.  “Go on,” he urges.  “Go see him.”

“Justin...”

“It’ll be okay,” he reassures me gently.  “I’m here for you.  I’ll be right here when you get out, but right now your dad needs to see you two, all right? You gotta be strong for your sister.”

“O-okay,” I whimper and nod my head rapidly.  ‘Okay.”

I grasp my sisters hand as we walk into the hospital room.  My mother is sitting by my father’s bedside, speaking softly to him as she holds his hand.  Naturally, she’s sobbing, and he’s just staring at her, babbling something that nobody can understand but him.  His face has more color than it’s had in two weeks, and seeing his eyes open, wide, and full of life fills me up with hope, even if he’s still barely with us.

“Mifs a..lla ala...ar. Alar,” Daddy babbles it loudly, once his eyes land on me and my sister.  Hannah immediately tugs away from me, and throws herself across his chest, crying into it as she wraps her arms around him.  He can’t move well, I can already tell, so he simply lays there while she does it.

“Mom...”  I place a hand on her shoulder.  “Does he...know us?”r32;


“I think so,” she whispers.  “But they say they don’t know when he’ll be able to speak properly or walk again.”

I press my lips together, try to think of something else to say that will ease her mind, but...I realize there isn’t anything I can say.  This is the way things are, how they’re going to be for a while, and we have to try and pull through it the best we can.

“Alar.”

“He keeps saying it,” My mother sniffles and blows her nose into the tissue she’s been holding.  “I’m not...I’m not sure I understand.  I wish I could.”

“Alar.”

“I can.”  I smile gently, and grasp daddy’s hand when he painstakingly flexes his fingers, signaling that he wants me to hold his hand in mine.  “I love you too, daddy.”

For the first time in two weeks, my father smiles at me.
************
The sound of a baby softly cooing jolts me awake.  I look straight ahead at first, still see Daddy in the bed, but he’s fast asleep this time.  “Huh?”

“Hey, babe,” Justin slowly sits down next to me, Victoria in his arms, and doesn’t hesitate to give me a long, lingering kiss on the cheek.

“How...how long has it been?”  I rub my eyes tiredly, hating that I fell asleep here.  

“It’s about ten,” he nods.  “I sent everybody home.  Your mother has Mason and the boys.”

“Oh...” I let out a little sigh.  “All right.  I think I’m gonna stay the night.”

“I figured.  I’m gonna head out soon, but I wanted to let you say goodnight to at least one of our kids.”

I take her from him with a smile, and kiss her head gently, before refocusing on my husband.  He looks a little less tired than he has over the past two weeks, and my guess is he was able to nap at some point after I came in here to be with daddy.  “How do you feel?”

He shrugs.  “I’m all right.  How’s he?”

“Barely there.”

He nods slightly.  “I’m arranging for in home care.  Doctor Adams says he can probably go home in a week if I do that.  All the of the physical therapists and doctors can come work with him at the house.  It’ll be a lot easier on your mom, you know?”

I only nod, can’t speak, because I know I’ll get way too emotional.  If it wasn’t for Justin, I don’t know where my father would be, if he would even be awake at this point.  He’s doing so much for my family, working tirelessly for them without a thought for himself, or his business.  I haven’t been able to think about that until now, but I know losing two weeks worth of work can’t be good.  He doesn’t care about losing money, though.  He’s not the same man he was back in New York City.  

“It’s gonna be okay, baby,” he whispers.  “We’ll get him through this, together.”

“I just don’t know what we would do without you.  I don’t know what...he...would do.”

“He’s family.  I’d do anything for him, Ab.  You know that.”  He kisses the side of my head, and takes Victoria from my arms.  “See you in the morning?”

“Yeah,” I whisper.

“Love you.”  He smiles slightly and gets up from the chair, making his way over to the door.

“I love you too.” I call back to him.

“Night.”

Then he’s gone, and I’m alone again.  After a while, I know I need to get up and stretch my legs, because I can feel the aches and pains taking over my back and legs from sitting for so long.  I venture down the hall to the coffee machine, and punch in my order, tapping my fingers against the glass as I impatiently wait for the coffee to brew.

“Abbey?”

I look over my shoulder, and scowl when I see who has decided to pay me a visit.  “When did you get here?” I mutter it as I take the coffee out of the machine, and don’t give her a second glance as I begin to walk back down the hallway.

I can hear her behind me, desperately trying to keep up.

“I got into town around eight.  I ran into Bray...he told me you’d be here.”

Charlene knows she was wrong. That’s more than obvious.

But I don’t have time to hear her list the reasons why she shouldn’t have said the things she said.  She was done with our friendship, long before Justin and I got married.  I gave her plenty of chances to reconcile, but she chose not to.

It makes me want nothing to do with her.  I was getting over her.  I was living my life just fine without her.

“Abbey could you wait a second?”

My hand is on the doorknob, ready to allow me access back into daddy’s room.  I should walk in there and leave her in the dust.  I want to...

But something inside won’t let me.

“He can’t see too many people at one time,” I tell her.  “I can’t let you go in with me.”

“Then lets talk out here.”

“Why?”

“I know...I was stupid, Abbey.”

“More than stupid.”

“Fine.  More than stupid.”

“Why did you...why did you come down so hard one me, Charlene?  You wouldn’t even let me explain things.  You had no idea what even when down between Bray and I.”

“I just...”  She hangs her head low and I can hear her sniffling a little bit.  “I thought things were starting to get back to normal, that’s all.”

“Things haven’t been normal since Braeden disappeared, Char.  You know that.  Justin was a fluke.  I didn’t know the relationship was going to turn into...all of this.  But I love him.  That’s why I married him, and now we have children together.  I thought you would be happy for us, you know? Instead, you treated me like I was a horrible person for getting divorced.”

She’s silent.

“Yeah I figured you wouldn’t have anything to say.”  I shake my head roughly and begin to open the door.

“I didn’t...know...that he hit you, when we talked on the phone.”

I pause, and after a moment, I look her in the eyes again.  “Who told you that?”

“Braeden told me, when I came out here asking questions after you told me about the divorce.  After that I just...I felt so stupid for not letting you explain, that I decided you were better off without me.  I just want you to know that I’m sorry, Ab.  Not just for this but for everything.”

I think back to when I first got hired by Justin.  How she pressed me to take the job, even though I really didn’t want to.  What if she’d talked me out of it that night? What would have happened?  Braeden would have come home and I would have went right back to him...put up with his abuse until something horrible happened to me.

I stare at her.

I can’t deny that...I owe her a little bit of compassion.  She’s responsible for giving Justin and I starting point.  Without her...

There would be no us, no boys, and no babies.

“Abbey please.  I just want to start over, okay?  I...I love you and now your dad is sick.  All I want to do is help you through it, okay?”  

She’s whimpering this time.  It makes me feel like I’ve been punched in the gut.  “Char I...”

“Please.”

Her hand is on my shoulder, and the tears are rolling down her face.  She’s desperate and she’s sorry.  I hate what she said to me, hate how she jumped to conclusions but...I should try to live with it, get past it, so I can have my best friend back.  I realize that I need her, much more than I thought.  She’s the one person in this world that has seen me at my very worst, and stood by me through it all when nobody else would.  

I put my coffee down on a table, and then...then I hug her.

“I’m sorry,” she cries into my shoulder as we hold each other.  “I’m so sorry about...everything.”

“Me too.”

I feel a part of me come alive again.  One that had been dead inside of me for far too long.  It feels amazing, and I’m thankful.

So thankful to have my best friend back.

Seventy Five by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
enjoy!
“You know, the longer you sit here, the more you’re going to convince yourself to drive away.”

I sigh harshly, and squeeze my fingers tighter around the steering wheel.  She’s right, but of course she is.  She gets me, deep down.  Deeper than I think anybody has ever been able to, even Abbey.  It’s weird to admit that to myself, even makes me a little bit sad, because I was convinced she was my soulmate for so long.  But I look at Jess now, even though it’s only been two weeks, and just know...she’s it.  She’s the one.  Nobody is ever going to take her place, and I’ll be damned if I allow myself to be torn away from her by somebody else.

Because I’m in love with her.

I mean, I guess that’s what I am.

It has to be true, because I don’t feel any other way about her.  While it’s very sudden, I just know that it’s right.

She does too, because she’s still here with me after two weeks of nonstop togetherness.  She’s not getting sick of me, she only seems to be falling harder and harder for me every day we spend together.  I tell her I don’t understand, but all she does is laugh, and tells me to stop worrying about it.

So I do.

Justin did the best thing he probably could for us.  He sent us someplace secluded to talk for a few days.  It was this little bed and breakfast up in North Dallas.  The kind of place that doesn’t have cable, has antique furniture everywhere you look, and is extremely quiet.  We stayed holed up in the suite together all weekend, talking, eating, and...well, eventually giving in to our hormones.  We were given a gift certificate to some fancy restaurant when we checked in, left by Justin, but we didn’t use it.  We were going to that first night, but just as we were about to leave, Jessica had a little bit of a meltdown.  I recognized it, because I had more than my share of them since I came home.  So, I sat on the bed with her instead, and consoled her, completely forgetting about dinner.

She fell asleep in my arms.  The next morning, she told me it was the first time she’d been able to sleep the whole night through, since she came back from Afghanistan. It was then, and only then, that she completely opened up to me, telling me everything that took place during her tour.  Her best friend got blown away by an insurgent trap, along with three other soldiers.  She was the sole survivor, only because her friend had pushed her out of the way in time.  She has that survivors guilt.  I have it too, because of Lennot and the ten other soldiers who lost their lives down in those cages.  Rick has helped me through most of that.  I told her about him, about our sessions, told her I want her to come see him with me as soon as the renovation job is done.  She wasn’t sure, but didn’t want to talk about it then.  She drew closer to me after that, and I made my move.  I kissed her, she let me, and then...just like that, we were both naked.

We made love all day long.  It wasn’t hollow, empty sex, like it had been with Christine.  It was real.  I could feel the emotions flowing through my veins as my lips landed on her, as my hands caressed her smooth, soft skin.  After, we laid there, her arms wrapped around my torso, her fingers running themselves over the scars on my back.  They didn’t freak her out.  She expected them.  She ran her hands over them as we made love, and told me they were beautiful because they were a part of me.  I smiled at her, marveled in her amazing beauty, knowing that she was mine, and I never had to let her go.

“Come back to Arizona with me.” I gently kissed her forehead and smiled slightly, as we laid there together.  “After my job is done here.”

She sighed.  “Bray...”

“Arizona State is a good school.  Anthony’s wife went there.  You could probably transfer your credits or something, right?”

“Don’t you think it’s a little soon to be making these kind of plans,” she laughed a little.  “I...I care about you, Bray.  A lot, and I don’t plan on going anywhere but...I just started over here, and I have a good job.  I don’t know if I can afford to give all that up for...you.”

My smile faded.  “Things are different with us.”

“I’ll think about it.”

It was good enough.  It wasn’t a definite answer, but I knew our construction job was going to last at least another month.  In that time, I was certain I could win her over completely, convince her that her place was with me, in Arizona.

But then Mark called me, told me what happened to Jim, and things with me and Jess had to be put on hold.  Of course she’s here with me, and that’s so huge for us.  I wasn’t going to ask her, but she wanted to come with me.  My family is here, and Abbey too.  I knew she felt funny about meeting her, and I’m sure Abbey felt the same way.  I could see the look in her eyes when they greeted each other.  My new relationship confused Abbey, just like her relationship with Justin confused me.  

I never expected this for us.

But, things are slowly working themselves out.

Jim has woken up, and now Abbey and Justin are in the process of getting him settled back in at the house before they go back home.  I know she would much rather stay here, and hover over her father like a hawk for the next six months, but she has a family now.  Those boys need to get back to school and I’m sure Justin needs to get back to the office.  As it is, Jessica has told me that they’re going to be swamped when work starts up for them again.  He’s such a nice guy though, that he’s paid her for all the time she’s had to miss because of Jim’s stroke.  I know he wants to keep her on.  Jess is a smart, organized woman, and now that she’s getting her head together, I know she’s going to excel in her position, and make Justin proud.

The only bad thing is, that will prevent her from coming back to Arizona.  I don’t want to guilt her into moving there with me either.

Another solution? Move to Dallas to be with her.

But that’s just...such a huge step.  I would have to leave Rick behind, Anthony and Kelly, and most importantly...Michael.

The question I have to ask myself is, do I love Jessica enough to sacrifice my comfort zone to be with her?

I think I do, but I’m still undecided.  I have to make up my mind quickly though, before the job is finished.  Otherwise, I’m going to lose her.  A long distance thing between us won’t work.  Jessica needs a guy who is going to stick by her side, not call her on the phone.  I need to man up if I’m going to be with her, and I know that.

But part of me is almost too scared to.  It’s holding me back, and I hate that.

Just like it’s holding me back right now.

Mark told me mom wants to see me.  I didn’t believe him at first, but he pushed the issue, and I could tell he wasn’t lying.  I guess it was just hard for me to believe that my mom could be so forgiving after what I did to her.  I knew my dad didn’t feel the same, and Mark verified that for me when I asked him about it.  I told Jessica of course, but she told me I need to do this.  That if I don’t, I’ll never make peace with the situation.  

We’ve been sitting here, in front of the house I spent a good chunk of my life in, for almost an hour.  I’ve been staring at the front door, but I haven’t moved.  Jessica hasn’t said much.  She knows that a million different things are running through my mind, and that I’m extremely nervous.  But what am I going to do? Drive away? That would be a waste of time.  I want to go inside, and see my family.  It’s the last hurdle.  I’ve conquered the night terrors, the thoughts of suicide, the paranoia.  I’ve made amends with Abbey...we’ll be friends from here on out, and one day, God willing, we’ll be close friends again.  

Now it’s just my parents that are left.  This is the hardest part.  Rick would be proud of me for doing this.  Well...if I go inside anyway.

“Bray.”  Her hand falls on my thigh and she smiles at me a little.  “C’mon.  I’ll be right behind you, okay?”

I sigh harshly, and feel a few tears seep out of my eyes.  “I don’t know if I can do this.”

“You can.  You’ve survived so much more than this, Braeden.  You owe it to yourself to try and if...if they can’t understand how much you’ve turned your life around, they don’t deserve to call themselves your parents.”

She believes in me.  She really does.  It makes me smile, and I lean forward to brush my lips against hers.  “Okay...I’m ready.”

“Okay.”  She smiles gently before throwing her seatbelt off and getting out of the car.

I take in one last, deep breath.  This is it.  There’s no turning back now.

Please love me again.

They’re expecting me.  At least, I hope they are, but I’m confident Mark gave them the message.  I called him last night and told him I was going to drop by today.  His car is in the driveway, which means he’s probably waiting in the living room for me, and God willing, my parents are sitting there with him.

We walk up the porch steps together, her fingers tightly laced through mine.  She’s not behind me, she’s right here with me, determined to get me over this one last hurdle.  We pause, inches from the door.  I stare at the brass name plate below the door knocker.  The Sampsons.  I smirk, just slightly.

Jessica takes the initiative, and lifts the little bar so she can knock on the door.  I glance at her, and she smiles at me as she squeezes my hand tighter.  I can feel a heavy weight on my chest, start to breath a little harsher, my heart racing as I wait for the door to be opened, revealing the angry people on the other side.

It seems to take years, but then the doorknob rattles, and the door swings open.

My mother is standing in front of me, staring at us like we’re a couple of aliens.

I have no idea what to think, but know I’m about to break down.  I can see what I’ve done all too quickly.  She has a long scar on the right side of her face.  It starts at the corner of her lip and goes all the way across her cheek.  That’s all me.  I did that to her.  Jesus.

“Braeden,” she whispers.  

I just stare.

“Mrs. Feldman.”  Jessica speaks for me, and sticks her hand out for my mom to shake.  “It’s nice to meet you.”

My mother actually returns her hand shake, but doesn’t take her eyes off of me.  She’s studying me, marveling in my presence, as if I’ve just come back from Afghanistan.  “Mom I...”  I suck in a breath, because I don’t want to start sobbing.  “I’m sorry.”

I can’t help it.  The sobs take over me.  I have no control now.  I just stand there and cry in front of her, because I don’t know what else to do.

“Bray...shh.”  She steps forward and pulls me into her arms, like I’m a little kid who’s just fallen off his bicycle.  She holds me and rubs her hand soothingly up and down my back.

And I realize she’s my mother again.  Not the woman I pushed through the glass.  She’s gotten past that, mostly, and she loves me.

“I love you,” I sob.

“I love you too baby.”

My eyes open as we continue to hold each other on the front porch, and I can see into the house.  I see my father standing in the front hall, hands on his hips, sending me an angry glare.  One that tells me my mother might be over what happened, but he’s certainly not.  It’s a warning look too.  One that tells me I’m not welcome in his house, and I certainly don’t want to try to push his boundaries today.  “I better go.”  I pull away from her finally and force a smile.  “But I’ll call.”

“No...why?” Her eyes widen slightly.  “Come in.” Her gaze lands on Jessica.  “Both of you.”

“I don’t...I don’t think it’s a good idea, mom.”

That strong, bold look takes over my moms expression.  One that tells me she’s not about to give me up for a second time.  She looks back over her shoulder where my father is standing.  “Sammy, I warned you!  Get out here and say hello to your son!”

My mother has always had my dad wrapped around her finger from day one.  She usually calls the shots, handles the finances, and tells my dad what she expects from him.  Abbey hates that about her, and I guess I’ve never really appreciated it but, right now, I know she’s the only one that can give my dad that push and make him come around.  

My father shuffles toward the door, miserably, hanging his head low.  He knows my mother is pissed and it’s the only reason why he’s giving in right now.  He doesn’t respect me, doesn’t want anything to do with me, and after today, I’ll do my best to keep out of his way.  “Hey, dad.”

He nods.  “Who’s this?” He stares at Jessica as he says it.

“Jessica Mantieri,” she speaks up immediately and steps closer so she can shake his hand.  “Braeden’s girlfriend.”

“You manage to stick with this one?”  My father half smiles.

“Somehow.”  Jess glances back at me and shoots me a reassuring smile.

He’ll come around.  Not right away, but eventually.  I find myself being able to smile slightly for him, and then...he steps out onto the porch and walks right up to me.  At first I’m afraid he’s going to punch me.  I wouldn’t blame him.  But he only starts to whimper a little bit, and then his arms are wrapped around me in a loving embrace.  I return it, cry into him because I’ve missed him so bad.  

We’re going to work on this, on everything.  We’re going to be a family again.

“Come on inside,” my mom says once my dad and I let go of each other.  “I fixed some lunch.”  She latches onto my father’s hand and he leads her back inside the house.

“Be right there,” I call back to them.

Then it’s just Jessica and I.

“Guess that could have gone worse,” Jess laughs.  “They seem sweet.”

“The day is still young,” I smirk.  “Anything can happen.”

“Yeah, but it’s a start, Bray.  You have to be thankful for that.  They really love you, you know?  I think they’re doing the best they can to look past all the crap, and I...I’m going to try hard to make them see what a good guy you are now.”  She smiles at me and pulls me down to her so she can give me a short kiss on the mouth.

“It’s crazy that you believe in me this much,” I chuckle.

“Why wouldn’t I?”  She cocks her head and smiles.  “I...I love you.”

The smile seems to take over my expression almost immediately.  It’s the first time she’s said it to me, and I know she really means it.  It doesn’t matter that we haven’t been together that long.  I think we’ve both felt this way for each other since the very first time we mopped floors together.  I wrap my arms around her and kiss her back.  “I love you too.”

“I was thinking about Arizona,” she tells me gently.

“Yeah about...that.” I quickly cut her off because...right now, I think I’ve made my decision.  It’s the only decision.  The only one that makes sense because she has more going for her here than I have in Arizona.  I can find work, but it’s going to be hard for her to find a boss like Justin.  “I don’t want you to come to Arizona.”

The light leaves her eyes.  “You...you don’t?”

“No,” I smile.  “I want to move here, with you.  I can find work.  I don’t...I don’t want to uproot you from the life you’ve built for yourself.  You need what you have...I’m better, I can handle myself.  It’s just...the next step for me, Jess.”

She caresses my face.  “You don’t have to make a decision now.”

“I think I made my decision when you told me you weren’t sure you wanted to leave Dallas.  I can’t hide behind Anthony forever.  I...I need my own life, and maybe moving here will help me achieve that.”

She smiles.  “We’ll talk about it, okay?”

“Yeah.”

There’s nothing more to say after that.  She knows the focus is on my family now, and so she takes my hand, and leads me inside.  I close the door behind us, thinking back to the person I was when I first came back from my hellish ordeal.  I could barely function.  I was terrified of my own home, of my own family.  Now, I’m grateful for these things.

I’m grateful...so grateful to be alive, now.  Even if things haven’t gone exactly the way I planned.  I used to map out my life during those long nights in the cage, told myself what would happen when I went home. And then, I came home...but the things I expected to be there just...weren’t.  I lost myself because of that, and then...I had to learn to cope with the way my life was going to be.

I’m better for it.  I have Jessica, and now, my family.  The only thing I can do from this point is grow, better myself, and live for the moment, not for the past and what could have been.

I can’t wait to start.
Seventy Six by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
It's just the epilouge left :( Ahh I can't believe it. Thank you all so much for the continued support! This has been the best writing experience ever! Enjoy!

Two months later

“Justin, Mr. Wu cut the check.”

I glance up at her and smile.  “Yeah?”

“It’s a windfall for the firm.”  She walks over to my desk and plops the information on my desk.  “They must love you over there in Asia.”

I shrug.  “Most people do.  I’m a world wide phenomenon.  Didn’t you know?”

“I should totally call Abbey and tell her you said that.”

“You know you don’t wanna do that, Jess,” I laugh.  “I can’t be cocky at home.  Give me a little leverage at the office.”

“Hm, I guess.  But you know, she’s designated me to keep you in line while you’re at work.”

“Yeah, but I pay you.  She doesn’t.  There’s a difference.”

“So? Us women have to stick together.”

I groan.  “Okay, you win.  What do you want?”

“An early Friday?”  She grimaces slightly and won’t quite look at me.  

Most bosses would roll their eyes and tell her she has a job to do, but not me.  It’s been a month since Braeden moved to Dallas, and I can understand why they want to spend every moment of the weekend together.  This is my doing, them being together, so I know the only person I should be angry at is myself.  But I won’t be.  I’m happy for them, really happy, and so is Abbey.  The four of us became fast friends when Braeden relocated here.  We go to dinner, sometimes they even take the kids for us so Abbey and I can have a night out together.  It’s working out, and crazy that it is because...while he’s one of my best friends now, Braeden is and will always be, Abbey’s first love.  “Where’s he taking you this time?”

“Grand Canyon.  We’re going to take one of those donkey rides down to the bottom.  Anthony and his family are coming too,” she smiles.  “I’ll smell like an animal in the end, but...it’ll be worth it.  I’ve never been there.”

“Sounds painful.  Like I’d get hemorrhoids from the saddle.  I’ll take a warm beach any day.”

“I figured you’d say that,” she laughs. “So...can I?”

I lean back in my chair and smile.  “You get those invoices set for me?”

“First thing this morning.”

“Then you can go now.”

She gasps.  “Really!”

“Yeah...go, get out of here,” I smile.  “I’ll see you Monday.”

“Thank you.”  She comes around the desk and gives me a light kiss on the cheek.  “We’ll owe you a favor.  Maybe we can take the kids next weekend for you guys or something.”

“Sounds good.  Trace and Shawna are coming in next weekend, so that’ll work great,” I nod.  “Have fun.”

She leans against the desk.  “Is this Austin’s moving weekend?”

I press my lips together and don’t look up at her.  “Yeah.”

“How...how’s Abbey?”

“Broken up.” I click my mouse around the stocks on my screen, closing a few things and opening some new ones.  “I am too, but...this is what he wants, and I can’t hold him back from being happy.  It wouldn’t be fair.  We’ll see him once in a while.  He’s fifteen, doesn’t really needs us anymore.  At least, that’s what I’m telling myself so I won’t be so angry,” I chuckle.

I’m trying not to be upset but...I’ve had this constant feeling of despair in the pit of my stomach from the moment he said that he still wanted to go back to Memphis.  It was almost a month after we returned from Colorado.  We were all still trying to get back into the swing of things.  We stayed an extra couple of weeks after Jim got out of the hospital, just to make sure he got settled back home okay and that we liked the nurses that were hired to take care of him.  He’s been started on speech therapy.  He still can’t say much.  Just Andrea, Hannah, and Abbey, but that’s a good thing, so I’m told.  It means he has a good chance of regaining most of his basic brain functionality, but it’s going to be a long road.

They say his chances of walking again are slim, though.  It nearly broke Abbey...

But I got her through it.  

We came home somewhat sane, and began to focus on our babies and the boys.  Victoria and Mason have surpassed the teething stage, thank God, but have also started to crawl.  While Abbey and I both shed a few proud tears as we watched them doing it for the first time, I could feel the panic beginning to set in, and knew Abbey felt the same way.  The house had to be baby proofed, because after crawling...came walking, and there were more than enough objects in the house that the babies could injure themselves with, if they walked into them or pulled them down.  It took a few days, and a lot of help from the boys and our housekeepers, but we managed to get everything where it’s supposed to be.  The cabinets are now child locked, and every sharp edge and corner has been baby bumpered.  Yeah, it’s a pain in the ass and God awful ugly, but I’ll put up with it for them, because they’re the most important thing.

The renovations on the new office were done soon after we returned from Colorado.  It’s immaculate here, exactly like the layout I always envisioned, and I made sure to give Anthony a nice bonus at the end, even though I acted like a jerk to him before Braeden came into the picture.  He left soon after, on good terms with me, and made sure to thank me for helping Braeden out.  I think out of everything I said and did for him before he left to go back home, he was most grateful for the help I gave his friend.

Everything was going fine.  I was back at work, and Abbey had fallen back into her normal routine.  Davey was back at school, doing better than ever.  He’s getting into art, which of course, is one of my favorite subjects.  Some of the things he’s brought home so far are pretty cool.  I have a couple of his drawings hanging on the wall in my office, and a little clay dragon he concocted that I use as a paper weight.  I’m glad he’s getting into something, and Abbey is looking into enrolling the two of them in an arts and crafts class.  It’ll be good for Davey to do that with Abbey.  He’s still young enough that he needs her to stay close to him, and I know...with the way things are going now, she wants to keep him as close to her as she can.   

After everything we’d been through as a family, Austin decided that he was still going to drop a bomb shell on us, and go back to Memphis.  He came into the living room late one evening just as Davey headed off to bed.  I was sitting on the couch, Abbey at my side, stroking her hair as we watched the TV together.  When my brother sat down, and I looked over at him, I could tell something was on his mind.  Of course we both decided to focus on him, figuring it was a good thing that he felt comfortable enough to come to us with something for a change.  When he told us what it was, I wanted to kill him, hate him, but after a long discussion with my wife, she told me that she understands why he wants to do this.  Austin wants to find himself, even though he’s only fifteen.  He wants to remember where he comes from too, and while he loves us, right now he’s not happy here.  It’s been a hard reality to accept, and Davey...Davey is confused, cries most nights, knowing his brother is about to abandon him.  Austin has been spending a lot of extra time with him though, and for that, I’m grateful.

We’re all going to miss him when he’s gone.  Even me.  Even though I’m still angry that he’s leaving, it doesn’t mean I don’t love him.  I think we’ve come to an understanding.  It’s not like when I left home when I was around his age.  He’s going to call and visit, not be bitter and resentful towards us.  It’ll work out.

It has to.

“Well, tell him goodbye for me and Bray, all right?”

She says it with a sad look in her eyes, and I know she can tell how much emotion and pain I’m holding back due to the situation.  I force a smile for her though, just because I don’t want to look so weak in front of my assistant.  “Will do.  Have fun this weekend, okay?”

“I’ll do my best,” she giggles.  “See you Monday.”

“Bye.”  I wave a little, but keep my gaze focused on the computer screen as she walks out of the office.  

Only when I hear my door close, do I allow myself to break down.  I let out a long sigh, and roll myself backward from the desk.  I suck in a breath, try my best not to sob, but I can’t help it.  Here, when I’m alone, is the only place I can do this.  I can’t be an emotional mess for Abbey, when I already know how crappy she feels about all of this.  I have to be the strong one with the level head for her, telling her that Austin will visit and this is all for the best.

I hope I can.  I hope that when I drive my brother to the airport, I can act like his move doesn’t phase me.

My eyes shift to the shelf on the opposite side of the room.  It’s filled with pictures of all of us, my favorite ones of the babies, the boys, and Abbey and I.  My gaze lands on one picture in particular, my favorite one of Austin.  It was taken at the zoo, when they put the parrots in his shoulders.  He has a wide smile on his face, and I feel the smile pulling at my lips, remembering the way he laughed that day.  It was the first good moment I had with my brothers after I moved them to New York.  It was also the first day that Abbey and I sort of made a connection.  I’ll never forget it, and I wish so damn bad that Austin was still that little boy he was in the picture.

But he’s not anymore, and he never will be again.  He’s a young man, opinionated, and itching to live his own life.  It’s something I’ve come to accept.  He’s exactly like me, and I know how smart he is.  He’s going to be successful one day, just like I am, and maybe, if he allows me to do it, I can teach him everything I know about finance.  I think he has the right mindset for it.  Davey isn’t...that way.  He’s going to do something for the greater good.  That’s what Abbey always tells me anyway.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he joined the Peace Corps and ended up living in a tent in Uganda, but I’d accept it, because I love him.  I just want him to be happy, and strong.  God willing, he’ll attend a normal high school.  He has a few years yet, which is good, but I want it for him, so bad.  He needs to prepare himself, because there are no special education colleges, and I want to send him to a great university that will open up the whole world to him.  He’s going to be my focus once Austin is gone, and I’m determined to toughen him up a little bit more.  It might piss Abbey off.  She babies him a little too much, but I’ll tread lightly, start small, and hopefully it will build up into something big.

I work through my lunch hour, and call it a day around four o’clock.  Yvonne, my newly hired receptionist, bids me a goodnight as I walk past her a desk, and I tell her to have a nice weekend.  One of my partners catches me at the door before I can walk out, asking me to go for a beer with him so we can talk some finance, but I turn him down.  I never do that kind of thing anymore.  I have too much going on at the house, and miss Abbey too much to care about a beer and some pointless money talk.  

Damn, I’ve changed so much since New York.  It’s insane, but at the same time, I wouldn’t change the way my life is for any one, or any amount of money.  If I went broke tomorrow, I would feel reassured knowing that my family would be by my side through it all.

I pick up some flowers for Abbey and a bottle of wine for us to share before I get home.  I know after I drop Austin off tonight, we’ll both need to indulge ourselves with the drink as we talk about Austin’s absence.  I think I might cry into her once I get enough wine in me, and I think...she’ll be okay with that.  As long as I’m drunk, and I don’t realize how foolish I look, I think I’ll be okay with it too.

“Hey beautiful.”  I smile when I find Abbey in the kitchen, feeding the babies as they sit in their high chairs and squeal.  I walk up to her and pull her away from them so I can kiss her and hand her the flowers.  

“Hi.”  She seems to force a smile for me, as she takes them.

She’s upset, but I should have figured she would be this way.

“How’d your day go?”  I sit down at the island next to Mason’s high chair and pick up the spoon so I can continue to feed him.  I sneek a kiss on his cheek as I do it, and he squeals, laughs, and pounds his hands on his tray.  

She shrugs as she gets the flowers into some water, and sets them near a window.  “Fine.  They just woke up from a nap, so I’m sure they’ll want to play on the floor after dinner.”

“Cool.  Maybe Davey will want to come and play with them.”

“Maybe.”

She’s barely looking at me as she begins to pull dinner together for us.  I’m not dumb, I know she’s depressed, and it makes me feel horrible.  It’s all Austin’s fault, but I don’t want to be so angry at him.  “Ab...”

“When is the flight?”

I scrape some food off of Mason’s chin, and kiss him one more time before I get up and go over to her.  She’s turned towards the stove, and I place my hands on her shoulders gently.  “Ten.”

“Okay.”  

She’s sobbing.  “Abbey, it’s going to be okay.”

She tugs away harshly and whirls around to face me.  The tears are streaming down her face now.  “I don’t understand why you think this isn’t a big deal!  I mean, Jesus, he’s our kid!”

I sigh heavily and cross my arms.  “If there was another way around this, I would make him stay.”

“It must be me,” she whimpers.  “I must have been horrible to him at some point.”

“C’mon, baby.”  I pull her back to me, and press my forehead against hers.  “You know this is about him, not about you or I being bad parents.  You’ve done everything you could for him, and he knows that.  Right now...he just needs to do this.”

“Why?”

I close my eyes for a moment, and open them again, find that her light blue ones are penetrating into my own, and I feel myself begin to give in.  My lips tremble and I bite down hard on my bottom one because I don’t want to sob, but I fail.  “I don’t know.”

“I have to fix dinner.”

She pulls away from me again and turns back to the stove.  

I let her, because I don’t know how else to make her happy.  It’ s big deal, I can’t deny that.  It’s like...our family is being torn apart, and it sucks so bad, because we’ve started this big beautiful new life here in Texas.  It’s like Austin can’t appreciate it, and I think that hurts me so bad that I’ve tried the hardest I can to push him away.  I thought it was working.

But I guess it’s not.

I try my best to finish feeding Victoria as Abbey busies herself in the kitchen.  I tickle her and let myself smile as she squeals and laughs.  These babies...I swear, they can take any type of stress away from me.  

“Abbey, I’m hungry.”  Davey plops himself down at the island and holds his head up with his hands, barely acknowledging me.  

“Dinner will be ready soon,” she reassures him.  “Twenty minutes.”

He sighs.

“What’s up buddy?”  I smirk at him slightly as I wipe Victoria’s chin.  “How was school?”

He shrugs, but doesn’t say anything.

He’s miserable.  The fact that his brother, his partner in crime, is leaving, is killing him.  I start to worry that this is going to damage him more than I thought it would.  Just when he was getting himself together too.  It’s completely unfair...and I don’t know what to do for him.  I can’t force Austin to stay.  He’d just get angry and I’m sick of it, but then...what? What’s the solution? Watch Davey fall into a deeper depression? Send him to another kid shrink?

No.

He’s just going to have to suck this up like the rest of us.

Dinner is eaten in silence, and Austin doesn’t join us.  I’m sure he’s busy packing, busy preparing to desert all of us.  Abbey barely touches her food, she busies herself with the babies instead, and I know she’s just using them as an excuse to cover up how depressed she’s becoming.  This is bad, horrible.  I feel like our lives are crashing down around us, and it seems too damn unfair.  Sure, I can understand why I deserve this.  I’ve changed, but it doesn’t make up for all the stupid shit I did in my past.  Maybe this is my punishment but...does my family really need to be brought down with me?

 Austin finally reemerges from his room while we’re finishing up dessert.  Davey perks up automatically as he takes a seat at the table, and Abbey doesn’t hesitate to get up and give him some ice cream.  I don’t get her.  The little shit doesn’t deserve it right now.  But...she loves him.  She doesn’t care what he’s doing to us.
“Austin are you gonna stay? Did you change your mind?” Davey asks, the hope in his expression more than obvious.

Austin stares down into his bowl and moves the ice cream around with his spoon, not saying anything for a while.  He knows all eyes are on him, because...stupid as it is, I know Abbey and I are both hoping, by some miracle, he’s had a change of heart.  “I...I didn’t change my mind, Dave.”

“Why not!” He hollers.  “You’re my brother! You said you wouldn’t leave me behind! Don’t you remember! Don’t you?”

He sighs, but refuses to look at him.  I know it must be a promise he made to Davey when our parents first died, before I even came, when he wasn’t speaking at all.

“Calm down, Davey.”  Abbey rubs his back gently and kisses the top of his head.

“No! I wanna know why Austin gets to leave! We’re all a family!”

Silence.  

Austin gets up soon after that, and walks away.

Davey starts to sob, and runs off in the opposite direction.  A door slams.  He’s gone into his room, and probably won’t come out for the rest of the night.

Abbey and I stare at each other, while the babies continue to coo and bang their trays happily, oblivious to what’s going on.  I make an executive decision then.  Decide to have one last talk with Austin and try to make him see that what he has here is more important than going to live with Kimberly and get back to his “roots.”  “I’ll be back.”  I slide myself away from the island, and come around to kiss her.  

She nods, seeming to understand.  “I’ll be here.”

I find my brother just where I thought I would, sitting by the pool, gazing out at it like he does so many nights.  It’s his thinking spot, and we usually let him be, but not today.  Today, I’m invading his space because I know I have to make this last ditch effort for the good of this family.  I sit down beside him at the pools edge, take my fancy dress shoes and socks off, roll up the legs of my slacks so I can dunk my feet in the water with him.  “You wanna talk to me?”

“Dunno.”  He keeps his focus on the water in the pool and nothing else.

“I’ve been trying to make sense of this whole thing for weeks, and I’ve tried even harder not to be angry with you, Austin.  But...it’s hard right now.  Abbey is a mess and your brother doesn’t understand any of this.  I...I guess I’m the only one that gets this, because I left home when I was just a couple of years older than you.  Austin, leaving isn’t always the answer, you know?  It can be followed by a lot of regret and heartache.  Believe me, I know, I live with some of it in my heart every day.”

“I just...”  He sighs, and whimpers a little.  “I don’t want to forget them, and I’m starting too.  Like, the more time I spend with Abbey the less I remember momma.  I...I’m scared.”

He’s never been so direct with me about this before.  Out of all the reasons why he wants to move to Memphis, this is the main one.  He doesn’t want to lose his parents, doesn’t want to fully accept Abbey as his mother because he’s afraid momma will become nonexistent in his mind then.  “Why didn’t you tell me this before?”

“Because my relationship with them was different from yours.”

He’s right.  While it makes me sad to think about it, I know that Austin and Davey shared a normal, happy relationship with my parents.  They had more money then, could take care of them a lot better than they ever took care of me.  I don’t think I ever let that sink in until this very moment.  “You’re right, but I just want you to realize how much we all love you, Austin.  It’s not going to be the same when you’re gone.”

“You’ll manage.”

“How can you think that way? Like we don’t love you? Did you see Abbey in there? She’s a wreck and Davey...I don’t think I need to tell you how much this is going to affect him.”

“And you?”

I stare back at him.  “What about me?”

“How do you feel?”

This is the ultimate test.  I know he’s expecting me to tell him to do what he wants, that I won’t stop him because he’s old enough to accept the consequences of his actions.  I think back to the night I left my parents house, how my father acted like he didn’t care, and it gave me that much more of a push to leave.  What if he tried to stop me, tell me that he loved me and wanted to try to make our relationship better? Maybe I would have stayed...I just don’t know.  “I love you,” I admit.  “I don’t want you gone either.”

“But you’re letting me go.”

I shrug.  “I thought that’s what you wanted.”

“Thought you didn’t care.”

I stare at him for a long moment.  “That’s what you think?”
“Daddy never would have let me leave,” he tells me.

“Yeah, well I’m not dad.”

“You’re just like him,” he reassures me.  “I see him in you every day.  You look like him and have his temper, but you have momma’s heart.”

I laugh slightly and shake my head as I run my hands through my hair.  Since when did he become Mr. Sentimental? It’s weird but endearing to hear him say this stuff at the same time.  

“I don’t want you to leave.”  I hear myself say the words before I can stop myself.

I’ve never said it to him, and maybe...maybe that’s why he decided to go in the first place.

I never said I was the smartest when it came to my emotions.

“You don’t?”  He looks up at me after a moment, and I can see the tears in his eyes now.

“No.  I...I never did.  I want to be the one to make you into a strong man.  I love Kim but...she’s not cut out for this job, you know?  We’re buds.  We’ve always been, even when I was gone, and I regret all the years we missed, you know? I can never get those back, but I can make up for them.  I...I can’t lose you again.”

He smiles, sobs harshly, and then wraps his arms around me.  He buries his face into my chest and I run my fingers through his wild curls as he cries.  He cries to me like the little boy he used to be, and I know...this is probably the way he felt all along.  He never wanted to leave but he didn’t think I cared whether he was here or not.  Austin needs that kind of reassurance from me.  He always has, probably because I was the biggest dick in the world when I uprooted him and his brother from Memphis.  Of course I’m different now, but it’s taken this conversation to make him see that.  

“Will you stay?” I whisper to him.  “I...I want to make it all up to you, Austin.  I love you.”

He looks up at me after a very long moment, and wipes his eyes harshly.  “I’ll stay.”

Epilogue by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Oh my god it's over :**( I'm seriously so sad, but glad that I accomplished this at the same time.  THank you to everybody for all your wonderful comments and kind words of encouragement.  Special thanks to Ki for keeping me inspired and giving me that extra push. So glad we can be friends :) And also to Miss M for taking up this story on a whim. I so appreciate your advice and input! I hope you all enjoy the last part :)

Seven years later

“Dave!”

“I’m lookin’ for my sock!”

“You’re gonna make us late!”

“Okay, Justin! One minute!”

"Fuckin kid,” he mutters and checks his watch for the thousandth time.  “I warned him.”r32;

I clear my throat a little.  “Language?”

“Oh...” His gaze lands on our seven year olds playing on the floor, and his cheeks turn pink.  “Sorry, Ab.”

“Mmhmm.”  I roll my eyes a little, try hard to hide my smile, but fail when he steps up to me and sweeps me up into a kiss.  

It’s been seven years, and we still grope each other like two horny teenagers.

“What’s the surprise?” He whispers.

He’s been asking me all day, but I won’t give in.  Not until tonight, because dumb as it is, I’m nervous as hell about telling him.  “You have to wait.” I smile as I press my forehead against his.  “You know that.”

“Tonight is a long way off.”

I shrug.  “There’s enough to celebrate in the meantime.”

“Momma?”

I glance to my left and find Mason standing there, tugging at the bottom of my dress.  I smile at him and when I look back at Justin, I find that he’s doing the same thing.  They’re getting so big...the twins.  I can still remember when I was rocking them in my arms, giving them a bottle, holding their hands as they learned how to walk, seeing them off their first day of school.  It’s all gone by so fast.  I mean, of course they’re still little and depend on us for everything, but they’re growing up, getting bigger all the time, and it’s like...so crazy.  I just want to stop them from doing it, as if that were possible.

“Yes, baby?”

“Where’s Austin? Is Austin coming?”

“He’s going to meet us there.  Remember I told you he was going to pick up Mister Braeden and Miss Jessica at their hotel after he got off the plane, so he can bring them to Davey’s high school?”

“Oh...”  The blues of his eyes gets more intense and he smiles. “Yeah.”

“I wanna see Miss Jessica!” Victoria exclaims as she runs up to us, and hugs her daddy around the waist.  “I love her!”

“Well, you’ll see her soon, baby girl.”  He bends down and lifts her into his arms, giving her a long kiss on the cheek.

She really is his princess, and I swear, that girl gets whatever she wants.  I guess that’s the advantage of being the only little girl in a house full of boys...and me.  I tell him he spoils her too much, and that when she gets older it’s going to be harder to control her.  Of course he just waves it off.  I get it.  She’s his little girl, she always will be and I guess...I have to same type of relationship with Mason, so I shouldn’t complain.  He’s a true momma’s boy, knows he can get anything he wants from me when he looks up at me with those big blue eyes of his.  I cave right away, all the time.  Justin laughs and calls me a pushover, but he’s the same way with Vic.  When we’re together, just the four of us, the twins seem to gang up on us at the same time, and we’re forced to give them every single part of our time and energy.

Vic is the stubborn one, just like her daddy.  She hates it when things don’t go her way, and tends to think of reasons why she should be able to do whatever she wants.  It takes a lot of energy out of me, trying to keep her in check, especially when Justin tends to slip her the things she wants when I’m not paying attention.  He just can’t say no to her.  It’s probably one of the only things I argue with my husband about, and I guess that’s pretty good but...it still annoys the shit out of me.  

Mason isn’t so pushy, just curious.  He gets into mischief constantly, opens things he’s not supposed to and snoops around where he doesn’t belong.  If we take our eyes off of him for a second when he’s going through a “bored” phase, he’ll be doing something he’s not supposed to.  He’s a good boy otherwise, very smart.  Vic is good too, just harder to reason with.  She’s not as book smart as her brother is.  She’s the type that learns by doing, a very hands on child.  She loves playing outside, and doing anything that’s physically stimulating.  She freaks out when we try to make her watch TV, or play inside, so we have her in dance, and gymnastics, to cure her slight ADD issue.  Justin and I both agree that she’s going to be the athletic one, and Mason will be the intellectual.

What can I say? We both have it bad for them.  I know why.  Austin and Davey have long since grown into men.  Austin’s been away at college, Dartmouth, for the last four years, and Davey has so much going on after he gets out of school, we barely see him anymore.  

Two months ago we flew out to watch Austin graduate from Dartmouth.  Justin actually cried and I totally did it too.  The fact that he was the first Timberlake to attend and graduate college was a big deal, though.  I know that.  He majored in business finance, graduated with honors, and Justin has been trying to persuade him to come work for the firm ever since.  Austin isn’t ready to work for his brother though.  He’s still living in the apartment Justin got for him back at school, and plans to move to New York in a few months to try things on Wall Street.  Trace is still working with Donald Trump, and immediately offered Austin a spot at his firm when he graduated. Austin...he’s exactly like Justin, smart, and independent.  He’s also grown into one of the most handsome men I’ve ever laid my eyes on.

By the end of the year, our Austin is going to be clear across the country again, only...for good this time.  Trace has assured us that he’ll help get Austin set up when he makes the move, we’re not worried about that.  We’re just worried about him partying every night and hooking up with every hot woman he comes in contact with.  I hate to say it, but our Austin has become a little ladies man.  I think I’ve stared down, and put the fear of God in every girl he’s brought through this door since he hit the tenth grade.  I worry about him getting his heart broken or becoming too wrapped up in Wall Street life, like Justin used to be, but he’s not a little boy anymore, and we’ve given him the resources to do whatever he wants with his life.  

Aside from his romantic life, I know he’ll do well on his own in the finance world, and with Trace to prevent him from making a huge mistake, he can’t go wrong.  I guess I’ll just miss him...a lot.  He won’t be home for college breaks anymore.  He’ll be living in New York and might come home for holidays.  Justin says he’ll fly out there and force him on the plane if he has to.  

My husband still tries to act like such a hard ass sometimes, but I know how much of a soft spot he has for his brother.  He wants Austin to come visit us even worse than I do, and it’s adorable.  I feel like we’ve turned into Austin’s old, whiny parents that bitch at him to come home all the time.  It’s crazy how much things have changed in just seven short years.

“I found them!”  

Davey charges down the stairs and stops in front of us, panting a little bit.  

“I left you a fresh pair of dress socks right on your computer chair.”  I smile at him gently as I give Mason a final kiss on the cheek and put him down again.  “What happened to those? Is your room a mess again, Dave?”  I walk right up to him and start fixing his collar and straightening his robes, before planting a soft kiss on his cheek.

“Ma-a.”  He rolls his eyes a little bit.  “I was looking for stuff.  They got lost in the mix, that’s all.”

“You’re always looking for stuff. I swear to god, before the summer is up you’re going to learn how to be more organized.  What’s going to happen when you’re in a dorm room, living with somebody? You have to keep it clean, you know!”

“I will, I will, Momma.”  He smiles.  “You worry too much.”

“Or maybe you can just stay here, and go to Texas U,” I suggest.  “Then I can come and check in on you.”

“Abbey.”  Justin speaks up and narrows his eyes at me, as he places Vicki down on the ground so she can play with her twin brother.

“I’m just saying!” I say, guiltlessly.  “It’s not a bad school.”

“Don’t listen to your mother,” Justin laughs at puts an arm around his brothers shoulders.  They’re the same height, both taller than me now.  

I’ve been demoted to a munchkin, at least that’s the way I feel.  At least I’m still taller than the twins.

My Davey is a man now.  He’s going to leave for college in the fall and one day, he’ll only come home for the holidays too.  It’s so depressing.  Even more so because he’s going across the country for school too. He’s been enrolled at New York City’s Fashion Institute of Technology.  He started getting into art and drawing when we first moved to Dallas, and by his senior year of high school, he was designing the wardrobe for the drama club and creating the set designs for them as well.  He’s very talented.  Justin has always had a love for art but Davey is the only Timberlake who inherited a knack for it.  We don’t know what he’s going to end up doing with his interest, but there’s a lot more opportunity to expand his horizons in the city.  I know that, and Justin knows that too.  At least we have the peace of mind that his brother will be there to look in on him for us, although Justin says we need to back off, need to let our Davey go off and live his life without the aid of watchful eyes.

I know how proud Justin is of him.  Davey has come so far from hiding behind couches and not talking.  He attended a normal high school, even though I was terrified that it wouldn’t work out.  The first half of his freshman year was hard.  Davey wasn’t used to attending a regularly paced school, but Justin pushed him, helped him every chance he could, and taught him how to “network” himself with his peers so he would have an easier time fitting in.  I guess being the richest kid in town might have helped him a little bit in the friends department too, although I hate to admit it.  The friendships he did make, have lasted him all four years of high school.  His friends like him for who he is, and he dumped the leeches his sophomore year of high school, like Justin told me he would.  Actually, Davey became one of the most popular students in his class, but he never became arrogant or cocky because of that.  He’s their class president, and does everything he can to help his teacher and peers before, during, and after school.  He still has that sweet demeanor about him, even though he’s grown now and his head is a lot more put together than it was years ago.

I know he’ll do well when he goes off to college.  Justin has shown him the way, now he just has to go live his life.

But, that doesn’t mean I won’t be utterly depressed when he’s gone.

The doorbell rings before I can start to lecture Davey about something else, and he smiles, before taking the opportunity to answer it. Mason and Victoria run after him, hot on his heels.  Those two love to answer the door, and most of the time I have to run and catch them before they open the door when I don’t know who it is.  

“Grandmaaaaaaaa!” Victoria screams.

“Hello baby!” She kneels down and lets Vic run into her arms, giving her a tight squeeze.  Mason runs to her immediately, and she opens them a little wider to let him in too.

“Where’s Pop!” Mason asks her.

“He’s on his way.”  

She kisses his cheek and glances up at me, giving me that look she’s famous for.  The one that tells me he’s being stubborn and refusing any help.  While it annoys all of us when he does this, I completely understand why he does.  He spent the past six years in a wheelchair, learning how to speak, read, and write again.  Now, he’s finally able to get up and walk a little bit.  Not very far, but, he can make it from the driveway and into the house.  It takes him forever on his own, but with some help he can make the trip in about ten minutes.  Today though, I know he’s trying to do it on his own.  He wants to.  He wants to feel like himself again, and I guess I can’t blame him.  

I’m just thankful that he’s recovering.  It’s been such a long, hard road for all of us, and without Justin’s finances, I have no idea what kind of shape my father would be in.  We’re all so thankful for everything he’s done, but he tells us not to be, that it was his responsibility to oversee things.  

It’s one of the things I love about Justin.  His heart.

“Pop! Pop!”  Mason jumps up and down as he watches my father painstakingly walk up the steps.  

“Hey tike!” Daddy smiles as he puts his cane on the first step and manages to haul himself up onto it.  “How’s my boy?”

“I got it.”  I feel Justin rub my shoulder as he says it, and I know he’s going to try to help my father.

Strangely enough, my husband seems to be the only one that can.  My father trusts him, and I guess that’s because of all the things he did for the family when he first had the stroke, and afterward.  In a way, my father feels indebted to him, and always will, so when Justin tries to help him, he caves in.

“Hey Jim,” Justin steps outside as my father continues to struggle up the steps, and puts an arm around his waist.  “Let’s get you inside, huh?”

My father lets him, as always, and my mother and I exchange glances and simply chuckle to ourselves.  I’m sure my parents spent the last fifteen minutes in the driveway, arguing because my father wouldn’t let my mother help him.  

At least he’s starting to walk.  I need to be thankful, not resentful.

“Oh Davey, here.”  My mother reaches into her purse and pulls an envelope out.  “This is from Hannah and Mark.  They wanted to be here, but she couldn’t leave the dig.”

He takes it from her and smiles a little.  “I know.  I’m not angry.”

My sister married Mark right after college.  Justin made sure she got into a fancy archeology school, and she spent four years there, getting her degree.  She got a job at the Natural History Museum soon after she graduated, and after making the right connections, she was able to get a job working with a few other scientists.  She goes on digs and gets to study amazing collections of artifacts in museums all over the world now.  She took Mark with her once they got married, and now, they’re almost never home.  While it’s sad, I know she’s living her dream, and it’s mostly thanks to Justin.

“Cool! Look Mom,” Davey sticks the letter in my face.  “She wants me to come see her over the summer!”

I take it from him and scan the page with my eyes, smiling as I read about all she’s been up to.  They’re in Spain right now.  Some kind of crazy ancient fossils have been discovered and her team was chosen to do the excavation.  She’s excited, happy, and in love.  “She wants you to do sketches of what she digs up,” I smile.  “Justin, wouldn’t that be awesome for his portfolio?”

“Definitely.”  He comes and puts and arm around me now that he’s gotten my father settled down into the recliner.  “You wanna go Dave?”

“Yeah,” he says, with wide, excited eyes.  “Can I?”

“Sure.  We’ll talk about it once all this dies down, okay?”  He glances at his watch.  “We better get going.”

“Right.  Davey, go get in the car.  We’ll be there in a second once the kids are set,” I say.

He kisses my cheek.  “Okay.”  

I watch him walk out the door, and let out a long breath.  There goes another one of my babies.  After today he won’t be the same.  He’ll spend most of the summer in Spain with my sister and then he’ll leave for the city once the fall hits.  Justin says we’ll make the trip with him, take Victoria and Mason around the city, and spend a few days with Trace and Shawna.  It’ll be nice, and great for the twins to see their Godfather, but I know I’m going to cry when we get back on the plane to go home.

Our best friends got married two years ago.  I know, it took them forever, but that’s how Trace is.  It took the guy two years to get up the guts to propose, and even longer for them to actually go through with it.  Shawna is the most patient person in the world, I know this, because I never would have been able to wait that long for a guy to cave in and marry me.  She gets Trace though, better than anybody, understands his flaws and the reason why he waited so long to finally settle down with her.

I guess the fact that she popped out his kid kind of helped with the patience thing too.  They had a baby four years ago, Derrick.  He’s the sweetest little boy.  I would know.  I’m his Godmother.  Justin is his Godfather too.  Needless to say, we spoil the crap out of him every chance we can, and I guess I can use him as an excuse to go to New York and stalk my two sons.  Yeah, good plan.  Even though, I’m sure my husband will catch onto it real quick, since he can read me like a book.

Kristy attended NYU, but she always kept in touch with Austin.  We flew him out to New York so he could go to her prom, and she did the same for him.  I know they’ve always been best friends, but lately we’ve been wondering if it’s turned into more.  Austin and Kristy have always been very private when it comes to their relationship, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up together one day.  Out of all the girls he could be with, she’s the only one I would probably accept in his life with open arms.  

“Are you guys sure you don’t mind staying with them?” I ask as Justin leads me to the door.  We decided not to bring Victoria and Mason to the graduation, simply because of the way they tend to act during times like this.  They’re great kids, and we love them but they do tend to act up when they get bored, and we want this day to be about Davey.  My mother and father agreed to watch them for us, as long as we could video record Davey’s graduation ceremony, and I know Justin and I were both relieved.

“It’s not a problem, honey.” My mother kisses my cheek as Victoria continues to cling to her leg.  “You three just go and have a good time.  We’ll have a nice dinner when you get back.”

“Thanks Andrea.”  Justin kisses her cheek next and bends down to give Vic one too.  “We owe you a favor.”

“You’ve done us enough favors,” she laughs.  “Is Braeden coming back with you?”

“He should be,” I tell her.  “Austin is with them right now.  He picked them up from the airport.”r32;r32;“Well, you tell that boy I want to see him,” she smiles.  “He hasn’t called me in ages.”

“The business keeps him busy, mom.”

She rolls her eyes.  “No excuse.  You bring him back here, understand?”

“Got it,” I smile.

Braeden married Jessica nine months after they got together.  While it was a quick relationship, I know it was the right move for them.  They’re not the kind of couple that plays games.  They’re to the point, know how they feel and what they want, and I guess that’s because of all the years they spent in the military.  It’s a known fact that people in the military tend to marry more quickly, and it was definitely the case with them.  Justin and I attended the wedding along with all of our kids, and were part of the wedding party.  I was a bridesmaid, Justin and the boys were ushers.  Mason was the ring barer and Vic was one of the two flower girls.  It was in Chicago, because Jessica has a very large family, so it was much easier to fly Braeden’s family out there.  

Barbara and Sammy have changed.  They’re a lot more mellow now, and much more understanding of what Braeden and I went through.  I talked to both of them at the wedding, settled our differences.  After that, they started speaking to my parents, and they’ve now reestablished their friendship.  That was really important for Braeden and I, and I think it might have brought us closer together.  We’re great friends now...even, best friends.  Of course we don’t talk every day.  He’s busy with Jessica and his work, and I’m busy with Justin and the kids, but when we do get some free time, we talk on the phone or connect through Skype video chat.  It’s something new for us, but it’s really cool getting to see him face to face, since he’s so far away now.

They lived in Dallas for a few years after the wedding.  Jessica continued to work for Justin and eventually, was able to get into a top law school.  Justin played a big part in making it happen, paid her tuition because he believed in her that much, and it made my heart melt.  I was so happy for her.  She worked so hard trying to make her dreams come true, and she took great care of Braeden, understood a part of him that nobody else would ever be able to.  It was only right that she was able to get a break, even if that break came directly from Justin’s check book.   The hard part came after that, because Justin had paid her way into the University of Chicago, and it meant that she and Braeden would move again.  Bray was excited because it meant he would get to know Jessica’s family better, but I was sad because...I was going to lose my friend again.

We’ve managed to maintain our friendship since the move, though.  They’ve come to visit us several times, and Justin even gave Braeden a loan so he could start his own construction business.  Working with Anthony helped Braeden become an expert at working with his hands, and he’s doing well, has a full crew and a fleet of work vehicles.  His company is one of the top rated in Illinois, and they get a lot of residential and commercial jobs in Chicago.  Needless to say, he was able to repay Justin’s loan quickly, and right now he’s concentrating on making his marriage and life as good as they can be.

He has a real life now, has mostly been able to put the past behind him, and I couldn’t be prouder of the person he is now, even if things didn’t work out with us. I keep telling him the next step for him is having kids, but he assures me that it won’t happen for a long time.  Jessica is still wrapped up in school, and his business keeps him extremely busy.  It’ll happen for them one day though.  I have a feeling they’ll be “older” parents, and that’s okay.  They’ll be great with their babies no matter how old they are when they’re born.

As for Charlene? We speak now and then.  She’s living in Connecticut, married some doctor a few years ago.  I didn’t go to her wedding, because she didn’t come to mine, and she understood.  Our friendship never got back to the way it used to be, even though we reconciled at the hospital.  We’ll always share a special bond but...too much time passed, and too many things were said.  It ripped us apart, and we never recovered, but we both accept our friendship for what it is now.  She’s doing well.  She’s happy, has a little girl and a rich husband who treats her well.  I never would have expected her to live any other way, it just sucks that we’ll never be super close again.

Jessica is the Godmother of my children, instead of her.  Go figure.

Kimberly is still a big part of our lives too.  She comes to visit us every Christmas, and during the spring she usually stays with us for a week.  She couldn’t make it for Davey’s graduation.  She met somebody last year on an online dating site, Paul.  He lives in Wisconsin, and they’ve decided to move in together.  She had to make the trip to his house this week to help him pack, since he’ll be moving back to Memphis with her.  Justin and I have spoken to him on the phone a few times, and he seems like a very nice guy.  She tells us once they get settled, they’ll make a trip to come see us.  We’re looking forward to it.  It’s good that she doesn’t have to be alone anymore.  

“No I wanna go with you Daddy!”  Victoria runs after us as Justin leads me to the door, and throws her arms around his waist.  “I wanna come!”

“But you’re gonna stay with grandma and grandpa, sweetheart.”  Justin pats her head and smiles at me slightly.  “We’ll be back in a little while.  You and Mason can go play together.”

“Noooooo!”

It’s a tantrum, and I sigh harshly.  It’s always a battle with her, unfortunately, and I know that her hypertension is starting to turn into a little more than a “small issue,” only Justin refuses to believe that.  He tells me that she’ll grow out of it, only I know that she won’t.  It’s an issue we’ll have to focus on in the future, but...that’s what comes with having children.  “Vicki, calm down.” I crouch down and smooth my hand over her cheek as she continues to wail.  

“No!” She swats at me.  “No! NO!”

I look up at Justin.  “Now what?”

“We can’t help you baby.”  He pulls her away from me and makes her stand back against part of the wall.  “Not today.”

It’s a first, and I can honestly say he’s shocked me for the first time in years.

Hell, maybe he’s coming around about her issues after all.

“DADDY! WHY!”

“Sometimes the answer is going to be no,” he explains.  “Now that you’re a little older, you’re going to hear it a lot more.  That’s life, Vicki.  Mommy and I love you though, and we’ll be home in a couple of hours.”

She stares at him, hiccuping, her cheeks bright red as the tears continue slide down them.  She says nothing though, and I know that means she’s figured out that her daddy isn’t going to back down this time.

Justin pulls at my hand.  “C’mon, babe.”

I don’t allow myself to look back as he guides me out the door, but force him to pause before we can get into the car.  Davey is at the wheel of Justin’s brand new Maserati, and I know he’s expecting to drive us to his graduation.  “What the hell was that back there?”

He smiles.  “What, you don’t like that I’ve grown some backbone when it comes to Vic?”

“No...I like it.  I just wasn’t expecting it.”

He kisses my cheek.  “I can surprise you too.”

“Well, you should surprise me like that more often.”

He pulls me closer to him and kisses me once more.  “Maybe I will if you let me in on this secret of yours.”

“Nice try, Timberlake.”

“C’mon.” I feel him smiling into my neck before kissing it a little.  “How about just a hint?”

“It involves stamina.”

He looks back at me.  “Oh really?”

I grin devilishly, because he doesn’t have a clue what I’m getting at.  “Oh yeah.”

“Will I find out just how much stamina, later tonight?”

“Maybe.  If you’re a good boy.”

“It’s been a week, you know.” He reminds me.  “I’m horny as hell.”

I roll my eyes. “We’re going to have my parents, Bray and Jessica staying with us.”r32;
“So?  Our walls are thick.”

“Can we just go watch our son graduate, please?” I laugh.  “Horny bastard.”

“But I’m you’re favorite horny bastard,” he grins.  “Right?”

“I guess.”

His hands slide down to my butt, and he grabs it firmly.  “You guess?”

I laugh and kiss him hard on the mouth.  “I know.”
r32;“You know I’m away on business for three days next week,” he pouts.  “I need to get it while I can.”

Justin has opened two other firms since we moved here.  One in Houston, one in Austin.  They’re headed up by two of the men he brought out here with him from Goldman, and next week he’ll have a third one up and running in San Antonio, run by his third Goldman partner.  I can’t deny that he’s turned Texas into a Timberlake financial empire, but at the same time, he hasn’t let his business run this family into the ground.  He’s still home on time, never works on the weekends, and rarely makes a business trip unless it’s necessary.  When he does, two or three days is the maximum he’s away for.  In fact, this one he’s making next week will be the first one this year.  My parents are staying to help me with the twins, so he’ll feel reassured while he’s away.

The new firms have brought Justin’s independent career to a new level.  He has more money now than ever before.  Last week he got a call from Forbes.  They wanted to interview him, told him he’d just cracked the top twenty list of American’s richest people.  It was enough to make anybody get lost in their ego.

But Justin learned long ago that money isn’t everything.  He cherishes the people in his life, not his money in the bank.  We have everything we want, and yeah, our kids have advantages that most only dream about, but we do our very best to stay grounded, and interact with normal, everyday people.  For a short time we considered putting the twins into public school, but realized the curriculum simply wasn’t as advanced as we would like it to be.  They go to a co-ed private school here in Dallas, but we do our best to find kids for them to play with that are outside of all that.

We do a lot of community outreach here, and Justin has helped hundreds of people with his billions.  He’s bailed out several small businesses, and put money into schools, libraries, and churches all over Texas.  His literacy program has become a staple here, and in turn, Texas has turned into a state prided with excellence in education.  I’m proud of us, and what our family stands for.  We’re not miserly people.  We put the money Justin makes to good use, and I know we’ll be better off for it in the end.  Our children will be too, and hopefully learn from Justin’s example.  We want them to be level headed, and decent, and I think we’re doing a great job of ensuring that.

The horn blares, jolting my husband and I back into reality.

“Do I have to let him drive her?” Justin mutters.  “She’s delicate.”

I roll my eyes.  “It’s a car.”

“No.”  He pets the hood a little bit.  “She has a personality.  You’re gonna hurt her feelings.”

“Get in.”

He laughs, but does it.

It’s a nice graduation ceremony.  We sit with Braeden, Jessica, and Austin, and I watch with a proud smile on my face as Davey addresses his class with a traditional student body president speech.  He remains strong and confident as he speaks the words to the dozens of people sitting in the crowd, and I know Justin taught him everything he knows about public speaking during his first two years of high school.  He’s going to do well in New York, make something of himself.  People will listen to him, and take him seriously.  It’s a Timberlake trait.

Afterward, we all take pictures together, and catch up with Braeden and Jessica.  They seem exhausted, but happy to be here, and when I mention that my mom is at the house cooking, that seems to set an alarm off for all of us to make the trip back to the house.  Bray and Jess follow behind us in the rental car, and I force Austin to ride back with us.  I nag him about everything, especially about girls, and he blushes, but answers me the best way he can...by telling me what he thinks I want to hear.  I end up resting my head on his shoulder, telling him how much I love and miss him.   I can see Justin from time to time, glancing at us in the rearview mirror, rolling his eyes.  He thinks I’m too sappy with Austin, but...he’ll always be my little man no matter how big he gets.

Dinner is crazy, filled with talk about every subject under the sun and then some.  The twins are loud, hyper, don’t eat their dinner because they’re too busy chasing each other around and underneath the table.  Justin and I do our best to make them sit down, but give up after a while and let them have their fun.  We focus on catching up with Bray and Jessica instead.  Chicago is being good to them, and my parents are all smiles as they tell us about how their lives are going.

It’s a nice time, but by the time dinner is over with, I feel completely exhausted.  Everybody retreats into the family room to watch TV, with the exception of myself and my mother, and I decide to help her rather than run away.

“I’ll get it.” My mom shoos me away when I begin to help her with the mess.  “Go be with your family.”

“Mom...”

“Well I’m here to help, aren’t I?” She smiles.  “Go on.  You’ll have plenty of chances to help with your father when Justin is away on business.”

“Thanks, mom.”

She kisses my cheek.  “Love you baby.”

I wander away, stand in the archway leading into the family room for a while, watching the scenario that’s taking place with a small smile.  My father has Mason on his lap, helping him shove some popcorn into his face, as he whispers quietly in his ear.  Justin is on the couch with Vicki in his lap.  She’s curled up against his chest, her arms wrapped around him, as if she’ll never let him leave her again.  It makes me smile wider. Those two are something else.  Bray and Jessica are on the love seat, talking quietly to each other as they hold hands, seemingly oblivious to everybody else in the room, and Davey and Austin are sitting on the floor together, watching the game and arguing about something, like always.  It’s heartwarming that we can all be together like this, but all too soon...I know it will be over and done with.  Braeden and Jessica will go back to Chicago, my parents will go back to Brighton, and my boys will leave for New York.

Our lives will change again.

I’m starting to hate change.

Especially because now...there’s something else about to happen in our lives, that I’m not so sure about, even though I know it’s a blessing.

I end up by the pool, thinking about it all, leaving the rest of my family to enjoy the rest of the evening inside the house.  The sun has long since set when I hear him behind me, and when I feel his hands land on my shoulders from behind, I smile.  “Hey.”

“You’ve been out here forever.” He leans over the chaise lounge and kisses me.  “What’s up?”

I shrug.  “Where are Vic and Mason?”

“Playing with the boys.”  He chuckles a little and comes around so he can sit on the end of the chaise.  “Everybody is fine.  It’s you I’m worried about.”

He reaches out for my hand, and I take it gently a few moments later.  He kisses it as he laces his fingers through mine.  “I’ll be okay.”  I force a smile for him, but swallow hard.

I’m so scared.  I shouldn’t be.  I know that.  But I just...am.  

“Ab.”

His eyes narrow, and he knows I’m lying.  But, I wanted to wait until later, when it’s just us.  When we don’t have to worry about my parents, or our house guests...when the kids are in bed and we can simply be us...Justin and Abbey, that couple without a chance, that ended up building this beautiful life together.  

“Can you tell me what’s going on now?”  He leans back and I shift over a little so he can squeeze his body next to mine.  “I’ve been good, ate all my food, and kept the kids in line for most of the night, right?”r32;
I laugh a little.  “Yes, Justin, you’ve been on your best behavior.”

He smiles, but then it fades.  He’s waiting for me.

“Remember how you were talking about traveling more now that the boys are going to be out of the house?”

“Yeah.”  He wraps his arms around me and kisses me.  “I thought we could take Vic and May on a cruise to the Mediterranean this year.  They’re old enough for it now.  We never did get that honeymoon.  This is our shot, you know?”

I sigh.

He frowns.  “What’s wrong?  You don’t like the Mediterranean?”

“No...it’s not about that.”

“Then what?  Just tell me.  Whatever it is...we’ll be fine, I promise.”

I stare at him.  Really? Is he really ready for this?  We’ve surpassed the baby stage.  The kids are older now, and are starting to develop and mature.  We can start having a lot of fun with them, give them our full attention now that there will just be four of us, but...but that’s the thing...

There won’t be just four of us in nine months.  Honestly, I didn’t count on this.  Again, my pregnancy has been a complete surprise, and I’ve waited three weeks too long to tell Justin about it.  He’s been so busy with the firms and tending to all of us, that I haven’t had the heart to burden him with one more thing.  “What do you think about having another baby?”

He smirks slightly.  “You want another?  Aren’t you tired yet?”

I shake my head.  “I don’t...want to have it, necessarily.”

“Huh?”

I stare at him.  He’s completely confused and I guess I should just get to the point.  “We’re having one.”

His smirk turns into a wide smile, and I’m a little floored when he kisses me harshly on the lips and says: “Seriously?”

I nod.  “I took a test...it came out positive.”

“That’s...Abbey...this is amazing!  A baby!”  He puts a hand under my shirt and caresses my stomach, before kissing me again.  “Why do I get the feeling you’re not happy about this?”

“I...I’m happy.  It’s just that the twins need so much attention as it is.  How are we supposed to give them everything they need if we have a baby to worry about?  You remember how hard it was on the boys when they came along.”r32;


“We’ll make it work.”

“I’m not so sure.”

“Abbey...”  He shakes his head a little but his smile doesn’t fade away.  “You and I both know how hard life can be, but...somehow, we always manage just fine.  I love you, and we’re going to...have a baby...”  He laughs happily.  “I couldn’t ask for anything else.  I don’t care how hard it might be or how much the twins will hate not having all of our attention.  If anything, it might help them a little, you know?  They’ll start to realize that the world isn’t all about them.”

“Or Vic will just have a meltdown every day.”

“So she has a meltdown everyday.  We’re a family...we’ll work through it.  It...it doesn’t matter, Ab.  A baby is a great thing.  I can’t wait, you know?”

I suck in my bottom lip for a moment.  I feel foolish, and horrible that I’m not as excited about this as he is.  “You’re sure?”

“I couldn’t ask for anything more.”  He shakes his head, smiles, and kisses me lovingly, letting his lips linger against mine for a long time.  “I love us, no matter how crazy our kids can be at times.  I can’t wait to get home everyday so I can be with all of you.  You know that.  One more only makes things better.”

I smile softly.  Maybe it’s not so bad.  Sure, Vic will have her meltdowns and Mason will make sure to get into even more mischief because I’ll be distracted with a baby.  At the end of the day though, I’ll be able to lie in bed, Justin’s arms wrapped around me, knowing that I have the best gifts life can give to a person.  An amazing husband, and wonderful children.  That’s more love than I could have ever asked for, and uncanny how life worked out to get me to this point.  

Once again, Justin and I will be that unstoppable team that’s there for each other no matter what.  

I love, loving him.  

“So then I guess we’re in for another adventure,” I tell him.  “Lose two kids, gain one more, right?”

“At least the baby will prevent you from bugging the shit out of Austin and Davey,” he laughs.  “Maybe that’s a good thing.”

“Hey, it’s not my fault that I’m having separation anxiety.  New York is far,” I pout.  “I miss them already.”

“I can always conjure up a decent distraction.  I’m pretty good at last minute satisfaction.”

“You think so huh?”

“Have I ever let you down?” He laughs.

“Not so far,” I eye him playfully.  “We’ll see how tonight goes.”

He sighs, and caresses my face with his hand as he leans his head against my shoulder  “I’m so glad I get to spend the rest of my life with you.”
 
I stare back into his eyes, thinking the same thing.  I love who he’s become, who I get to spend my time with everyday.  How he allows me to live my life, have a bond with Braeden even though so much happened with us in the past.  He just lets it all go, because he loves me more than anything else in the entire world, and he’d give up everything he has tomorrow if it meant he would lose me otherwise.

He’s my miracle, my soul mate.  He’ll always be.  

“Me too.”

We kiss, and I know it symbolizes the start to the next part of our lives.  While it may not be perfect, while I know it can and will be frustrating, sad, joyful and happy all rolled into one, I know that I wouldn’t change my life for anything in the world.  It’s those little imperfections in life that remind me how much I overcame to live the life I do.  They’ve taught me to be grateful, to hold onto the important things and forget the rest.

No matter what happens, whether Justin has billions today and two cents tomorrow, our love will always overpower that, help us to cherish each other and our children.

Our love, will always come first.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2068