The Set Up by PopDiva
Summary:

Joey tries his hand at match-making.

Contribution to It's Gonna Be May Challenge.


Categories: Challenges Characters: JC Chasez, Joey Fatone
Awards: None
Genres: General, Romance
Challenges: It's Gonna be MAY! *NF Spring Writing Challenge
Challenges: It's Gonna be MAY! *NF Spring Writing Challenge
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4070 Read: 1251 Published: May 14, 2011 Updated: May 14, 2011
Story Notes:
I'm having the worst time trying to get this story posted.  If it comes out wonky, please bear with me, I will fix it.

1. Chapter 1 by PopDiva

Chapter 1 by PopDiva

Cindy leaned closer to the mirror in an attempt to see what she was doing.  Her phone was balanced precariously between her shoulder and her cheek as she struggled to put on her mascara.  Make-up wasn't her favourite thing at the best of times, but she was having more trouble than usual because she was rolling her eyes with every new comment the speaker was making.  She heaved a sigh. "Yes, Joe...Yes, Joe...OK, Joe...Joey.  Joe!  Dammit Joe!  Would you let me get a word in edgewise?  Thank you!"  She paused to catch her breath.  "Yes, I am just about ready to leave.  Yes, I know where I am going.  Yes, I will give this guy a chance.  Yes, I will call you tomorrow.  What?  Yes!  I fed the damn dogs!  OK?  Now, I'm hanging up on you so I can finish getting ready.  Love you, Joey!"

 

Cindy quickly disconnected the call and powered down her phone before her very loving but also very annoying cousin could call her back.  She laughed and gave her head a shake.  Joey was really something else.  The only reason she agreed to go on this blind date was that she knew Joey would just keep pestering her until she did.  She was stubborn, but Joey was more so.

 

She hated blind dates.  She felt like they made her look desperate.  It was almost like she was announcing to the world that she was unable to find a man on her own and needed her cousin to bail her out.   Ever since she had caught her now ex-boyfriend in the act of cheating, Joey had been trying to set her up; actually, truth be known, he'd been trying to fix her up before then too because Joey didn't like him.  Joey didn't like any one that Cindy dated, so this was nothing out of the ordinary.

Cindy knew that she had to let Joey think he was getting his way.  So, with another sigh, this one a little softer, she looked back to the mirror, finished with her mascara, gave her hair a little flip and quickly spun to check out the whole effect.  There.  She looked good, now she had to go face Joey's friend.  With a little luck, and a tiny bit of date sabotage on her part, she would be home in time to catch her favourite late night show with a side of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.  She grabbed her purse and a sweater and went down to meet her cab.

           

About twenty minutes later, she entered the restaurant and was greeted by the flamboyant host.  "Ah, Signorina Fatone!   Benvenuto, it is so nice to see you.  Will you please follow me?"

 

The restaurant was very busy.  Cindy was led toward a fairly secluded table near the back of the room.  The host was called away for just a moment and Cindy saw a tall man at the table stand up.  Tall is good, Cindy thought, wondering if he might be Joey's friend.

           

"Cindy?" the tall guy asked in disbelief.

 

She turned quickly toward him and her jaw dropped in surprise.  "JC?  Joey didn't tell me you were in town!"

 

"He didn't tell me you were in town either," JC replied as they hugged each other and he gave her a peck on the cheek.

 

"What are you doing here?" they asked each other at the same time.

 

JC looked down at his shoes sheepishly before looking up at her again.  "I'm, uh, I'm meeting someone."

 

"Blind date, huh?" she grinned.

 

"Yeah," he shifted uncomfortably, "What about you?"

 

Cindy giggled.  "I'm ‘meeting someone' too.  You know Joey.  He wouldn't leave me alone until I said I'd go out with his dorky friend, so I finally said yes."

 

It was JC's turn to laugh.  "I think the joke's on us, Cin."

 

"What do you mean?"  She didn't even wait for him to answer.  "Oh no, he didn't!"

 

"Oh yes, Giacinta, I believe he did."  JC grinned.

 

It was official.  JC knew her real name.  There was only one person who could have possibly told him-Joey.

 

The host returned and ushered Cindy closer to JC.  "Yes, yes!  Signore Chasez, Signorina Fatone, sit, sit.  I will bring you something from Singore Fatone."  He scurried away and JC and Cindy stood and looked at each other for a second.

           

"I am so embarrassed," Cindy muttered as she shook her head in disbelief.

 

"Don't be," JC smiled as he pulled out her chair.  "I am kind of dorky."      Before Cindy could reply, their host was back with a laptop computer.  He handed JC a CD and disappeared.  JC looked at Cindy, shrugged and put the CD in the computer.

 

Joey's face filled the screen.  "Hey, you two!  By now, you've figured out that I set you up.  I'm sorry I had to stoop to these tactics, but I've been throwing hints out at the two of you for years and you're both just too thick headed to get it!  I know you think you're just really good friends, but everyone else sees more than that.  It's time you two see it as well.  So, here you are.  You're both finally single since Cinta dumped that cheating jackass-here Joey rambled off on a cussing tangent and then realized what he was doing he looked directly at the camera and shrugged.  "Well, I guess you know how I feel about that," he grinned.  "Anyway, I've been waiting for this opportunity.  Do not let it pass you by.  I love you both and if I truly didn't think you'd be good together; I wouldn't have gone to all this trouble.  Don't worry, you can thank me later."  He grinned cockily, as if assured that one date would secure their future together, "You can name the first bambino after me."  Cindy blushed and muttered almost inaudibly, "When I get my hands on him..."  Joey had paused for effect, and JC couldn't help but laugh.  "Now, JC, I expect you to have her home before dawn!  This is my baby cousin that I'm trusting you with.  I know that we're like brothers, but if you hurt her in anyway, I promise you that you will come to a bad end.  Look, I've taken care of the bill for dinner, so enjoy it.  Have fun and don't do anything I wouldn't do!"  Joey winked and then the screen went blank.

 

"Well," Cindy started as she unconsciously fidgeted with her hands, "that was awkward.  Oh, and for the record, I'm not his baby cousin.  I'm older than Joey by almost three years.  I don't know why he always treats me like a child.  He's always told me I'm the younger sister he never had, but like I said, he's actually younger than me.  And while we're at it, you're younger than me too."  Cindy rambled, talking inanely to try to cover up her discomfort.

 

JC reached across the table and gave her hand a squeeze.  "Sweetie, relax," he reassured her with his smile.

 

Cindy laughed nervously.  "I'm sorry!  I talk a lot when I get flustered.  But, you already knew that, didn't you?"  She didn't give JC a chance to answer.  "Since the meal is on Joey, I think we need to splurge, what do you say?"

           

JC laughed, "I think that's a great idea."  He paused.  "About the date part..."

 

"JC, it's OK," Cindy cut him off with a wave of her hand before he had a chance to continue.  "It doesn't have to be a date.  Joey doesn't know about our one disastrous attempt at a date, and besides, we talked about it before, and we agreed we'd just be friends.  It's cool."

 

"Cindy, we made the decision to be friends quite a few years ago when things were nuts with both of us.  I enjoy being your friend, but things have changed, maybe the time is right."  JC looked down at the table.  "I have to tell you, I have never been quite so happy as I was when Joey called me and told me you weren't getting married after all.  Cindy, I know he hurt you badly, and I know you needed time on your own," JC reached out and took her hand in his.  "What I need to know is, are you ready to give it a shot?    ‘Cause I sure am."

 

Cindy was quiet for a minute, digesting JC's question.  "Did Joey tell you I was engaged?  I was never engaged!"  Cindy was confused now.

 

"You weren't?"  JC looked a little more hopeful.

 

"No," she shook her head at the silliness of it all.  "No, he wasn't a guy I could see myself marrying.  Actually, he wasn't a guy I could really see myself dating.  It sort of just happened.  The guy I liked wasn't available, and this guy said he liked me, and I kind of liked him, so we dated.  Don't get me wrong, I was hurt when he cheated on me in such a blatant manner, but I wasn't heart broken."

 

"So why are you single?  What happened to the guy you liked?"  JC was sitting on the edge of his seat-afraid to hope too much, but wanting to anyway.

 

 "I don't know, Josh."  She met his eyes sadly, "I still have feelings for him, for you, but I'm scared."

 

He reached across to cup her cheek, stroking it gently with his thumb.  "You're scared of me?" he whispered.

 

She nodded slightly.  "You're the one who could break my heart, Josh.  After that whole fiasco when we got in trouble for wanting to go out on a date, and having to pretend that I didn't like you, and seeing you date those other girls..."

 

"I'm sorry, honey.  I know it was a mess, but I thought you were OK with being friends."

 

"I thought I was too," she smiled ruefully.  "Don't worry, it's in the past."

 

"Why don't we just focus on this one date?  We'll figure the rest out later and no matter what happens between us, we'll always be friends."

           

Cindy smiled timidly, "OK, let's try that."

 

JC smiled back.  "Hey, I almost forgot!  These are for you."  He passed her a floral bundle wrapped in paper.  She opened it up to find white roses and she bent to smell them.

 

"JC, thanks so much!  They are pretty."

 

"Yeah, well, if I'd known my date was with you, I would have bought yellow roses."

 

"You would have, huh?  And just how did you know yellow are my favourite roses?"

 

"I've got a good memory, especially when it comes to things that beautiful ladies like."  He grinned.       

 

"Joshua, if I didn't know better, I'd say you were flirting with me!" she giggled.

 

"Come on, Giacinta, give a guy a break here!"  He looked at her questioningly.  "Did I say that right?"

           

"You were very close, so I'll give you points for effort!  It's pronounced gee-ah-sinta."

           
"Italian, right?"


"Of course, is there any other language?" she teased.

           

"OK, so enlighten me, Giacinta," he pronounced her name slowly, "Where does ‘Cindy' come from?"


"Well, growing up, no one could read my name, and my family nickname was Cinta, (you've probably heard Joey call me that), so that was Anglicized to Cindy.  Giacinta means hyacinth, so in a twisted way, Cindy makes sense."


"Hyacinth.  That's a kind of flower, isn't it?"


"Yep, but it always reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket on ‘Keeping Up Appearances' and I didn't want to be thought of like her."


He chuckled, "No, I can see why you wouldn't.  But, I think I know what my new favourite flowers are."

 

"Sure, so next time I see your place, you'll have pink and purple hyacinths in the garden?"

 

He laughed, "Yep!  As soon as I can figure out how to plant them."

 

"So, I'm still waiting to hear how you know that I like yellow roses."         

 

"Well, you're going to have to keep on waiting," he replied with a slow smile.  "I'll tell  you later."          

 

"Fine," she said, "Then tell me how Joey got you to go out tonight."

 

JC sighed.  "Ugh.  That guy just would not give up!  Your cousin is a pain in the ass!  I kept telling him I was interested in someone.  Anyway, I figured it was one evening and Joey would leave me alone, so I finally said yes.  What about you?"

           

Cindy giggled.  "Yeah, that sounds like my cousin.  Joey asked me to come and stay at his place for a couple weeks to dog-sit while he is out of town and I needed a vacation and I love the sunshine, so I said yes.  Then he pretty much told me I had a date.  Why are you looking at me like that?"

 

"Uh, Cindy, Joey's not out of town."

 

"Yes he is.  He's been harassing me by telephone about taking care of his house and dogs."

 

"He may be, but he's in Orlando.  I saw him and Chris last night at Johnny's.  Kelly's out of town, but Joey's staying at Johnny's."

 

"I can't believe that brat set me up like that!  I'm gonna call Nonna and rat him out."

 

"You don't have to do that.  After all, I don't really mind being set up with you, do you?"

 

"No, I guess I really don't," she smiled and reached out to squeeze his hand.

 

All the while they had been talking, wait staff came quietly by and refilled their drinks, served their meal and generally took care of them.  Just before dessert was served, a band started playing.  A few couples got up to dance.  Cindy sat with her chin propped on her hands, watching the dancers.

 

"Penny for your thoughts," JC asked her.

 

She turned to him and smiled.  "I love watching older couples dance," she nodded towards one couple in particular.  "Watch the way they move, so in sync with each other, it's just beautiful."

 

JC watched the couple as well and nodded, "I see what you mean."  When the next song started, he asked, "Would you care to dance?"

           

"I'm not so sure I can dance with you, you dance for a living."

           

"No," he replied, "I sing for a living, I dance for fun.  Come on, I've seen you dance before, you can handle this."

           

"OK, if you're game, then I am too.  Just watch your toes; I don't want to crush them!"

           

JC stood up, took Cindy's hand and led her to the small dance floor.  "The only thing you need to remember is that I lead.  Let me lead on the dance floor, and I'll let you lead me anywhere you want," he said while raising his eyebrows at her.

 

She gave his shoulder a shove.  "Boy, you're just not right, are you?"

JC grinned as he placed her left hand on his shoulder and kept her right in his.  "Cindy, you've got to relax.  Just trust me, OK?"

 

"I'll try."  She closed her eyes and tried to clear her mind. 

 

Once JC felt they had the basic step down, he started to spin her out and back into him. 

 

She laughed as he pulled her tightly to him. 

 

"See?  Isn't this fun?"

 

"Yes," she responded while trying not to tense up, "But don't expect me to talk too!"

 

"OK," he laughed.  "Hang on!"

He kicked the dancing up a notch, leading her in slightly more complicated moves.  Cindy was enjoying herself, holding on for dear life and laughing.  JC smiled as he saw her abandonment.  It was good to see her happy again.  As the song came to an end, people sitting at nearby tables politely applauded the dancing duo.  Cindy hid her face against JC's shoulder when she realized they had become an object of attention.  As soon as she was able, she excused herself.         

 

JC was heading back to their table when one of the wait staff intercepted him.  "Excuse me, Mr. Chasez, but one of our guests would like to speak to you for a moment if you don't mind."  JC took a quick glance in the direction the waiter had indicated.  Seeing no rabid fans, he nodded his assent.  "Certainly."

           

He was directed to the table of the older couple they had been watching dance earlier, "Young man, please forgive me for interrupting your evening," the sweet looking lady gestured to a seat.  JC sat down beside her. 

 

"Not at all.  How can I help you?"

 

She smiled and patted his hand.  "Oh, Dear heart, you have already helped me.  I just wanted to tell you how beautiful the love you share is.  Watching the two of you was a sheer pleasure and reminded me of when my husband and I were courting."

 

He gave her a half smile, "You're so sweet!   Would you believe that we were impressed by watching you dance earlier? But I have to be honest, we're not a couple-"

           

"Maybe not yet," she interrupted, "but trust me, you will be.  The way the two of you look at each other is a dead give away.  Here comes your lady, I'll let you get back to her."  She dismissed him with a pat on his hand.

           

JC stood and turned to leave.  He stopped for a brief moment and returned to face her.  He gave her a quick peck on the cheek.  "Thank you"

 

They met in the aisle and JC pulled out Cindy's chair for her again.  Cindy pouted.   "So she gets a kiss from you and I don't?"

 

JC winked.  "Oh, I plan on kissing you and kissing you good, miss.  But not here."

 

Cindy blushed.  "So, what was that about?"

 

He took her hand.  "That was a story that we will tell our grandkids," he smiled.  "And I'll tell you some time later."

 

"Boy, you sure are secretive tonight.  You keep saying you'll tell me things later."

 

"I do, and I'm sorry.  How about I tell you about the yellow roses now?" he asked.  When she nodded, he went on.  "We were all hanging out one day and somehow the conversation turned to what kind of flowers girls liked.  Joey said they all liked pink roses or something and Chris tried to convince us it was something else, so they asked you what kind you liked and you said that you liked yellow roses because they reminded you of sunshine."

 

"You remembered that?"  Cindy seemed stunned.

 

"Yeah I did.  And-"

 

Cindy gasped and covered her mouth with her hand.  "It was you!"  A tear slipped down her cheek.

 

JC nodded.  "It was me.  I was the one who left roses for you on tour where you'd find them whenever you seemed like you needed a smile."

 

"Josh," she leaned into him and cried onto his shoulder.  "I kept every single card you sent with them.  I had no idea it was you.  I tried to figure out who they were from, but it was obvious that I wasn't meant to find out.  And then, after the tour, every once in awhile, I'd find a bouquet of yellow roses had been delivered.  How did you?  Why did you?"

 

He leaned down and whispered in her ear.  "You know why.  It's the same reason that you're not really mad at Joey for setting us up, and it's the same reason that lady wanted to talk to me and it's the same reason that we're going to get out of here so I can kiss you.  And it's the same reason that we're not going to date."

 

She pulled away from him at that.  "We-we're not?"  Now she felt like crying for a whole different reason.

 

"Nope," he shook his head and flashed her a big smile.  "I don't think you can call it dating when I have been in love with you for so long and I'm planning on marrying you.  I think I'm courting you."   

 

JC took her hand and led her away from the table and out of the restaurant.  Cindy didn't say a word.  A couple of cameras flashed as they walked to the car, and he stopped a couple times to sign autographs.  When they got to the car, JC opened her door first and made sure she got in, and then he went around to his side.   It took them a couple minutes to get out of the parking lot and then they were free from prying eyes.

 

He looked over at Cindy, unsure of exactly what her silence meant.


She finally looked at him, "You're what?"

 

It took JC a minute to realize that this was the same conversation.  "I'm courting you.  We were meant to be together.  That's why they wouldn't let me date you, you know."

He pulled over next to a little park and they turned to face each other. 

 

"What do you mean?" she asked.  "I thought it was because you were had to stay single while you were starting the group."

 

"It was," he nodded as he gently wound his fingers with hers.  "But they knew if we started dating, that would be it.  I wouldn't have been marketable as a single guy because it would have been obvious that I loved you.  I dated other girls for the same reason you went out with that jerk.  The person I loved wasn't available and they liked me and I kinda liked them, so I figured why not?  But the truth is that it's always been you.   That's why those relationships never worked out."

Her eyebrows were furrowed.  "You really love me?"

 

He nodded, "I have always loved you."

 

She smiled, "I've always loved you too.  I wish we had known.  We could have saved ourselves so much time and pain."

 

He shook his head, "No, I think we needed that time, and the pain, helped us to grow.  The important thing is I am not letting you go now.  You are stuck with me, Fatone.  What do you think of that?"

 

Cindy laughed, "I think I like that idea a lot, Chasez!"  She leaned over the centre console of the jeep and he met her halfway with a gentle kiss.

 

JC pulled away with a dreamy smile.  "I'm definitely going to need to plant some hyacinths in my gardens and yellow roses too.  I think tomorrow we're going to the garden centre, sound good?"

 

She laughed again.  "Sure, but I only think it's fair to warn you JC, that I can't keep a houseplant alive.  You're on your own with your flower gardens."

 

"Don't worry," he replied as he started to drive once more.  "I'm not much of a gardener either, but love will do funny things.  Our house will always be full of love, Giacinta, and that's really all that I could ask for."

 

End Notes:

 

 

If you've never seen the British Comedy "Keeping Up Apperances", here is a site that will give you an idea of what it is about and why Cindy doesn't want to be compared to Hyacinth.

http://kuacentral.com/

"It's Bouquet, B-U-C-K-E-T, Bouquet!"

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2073