Glimpses by azchickadee
Summary: Tiny glimpses into the future...for those who have read my "Crazy Love" series here are some one shots I've written about our favorite couples and how their families have grown over the years.
Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Crazy Love
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 9782 Read: 9046 Published: Jul 28, 2011 Updated: Jul 28, 2011
Story Notes:
I know.  I suck.  I haven't written anything in FOREVER!!  My brain seriously feels like it has turned into a raisin.  I was going through some old files hoping that something would catch my eye and spark some inspiration and came across these short pieces that I wrote a while ago.  The intent was to hopefully turn them into another long story, but...that doesn't look like it's gonna happen.  So, I figured I'd put them up here for you guys to read and (hopefully) enjoy! 

1. Due Date by azchickadee

2. New Year's Eve by azchickadee

3. Cruisin' by azchickadee

4. New Family Member by azchickadee

5. Growing Pains by azchickadee

Due Date by azchickadee
Author's Notes:
A much anticipated day finally arrives!

Aubrey paced back and forth in the hospital waiting room, nervously twisting her fingers.  Every time she heard the automatic doors open she looked up, hoping to see the familiar form of her husband walking towards her, but each time she was disappointed.  The last nine months had been leading to this point and now that it was here, Aubrey couldn't believe how nervous she was.  She'd heard of women changing their minds at the last moment and, even though they had a legal agreement that all parties had signed before they'd begun this whole endeavor, a small part of her worried that the last nine months would turn out to be all for nothing.  She crossed her right arm over her stomach and lifted her left hand to her mouth, beginning to chew on her thumbnail.    

            Rebecca had called her an hour ago to inform her that she had begun to have regular contractions and was heading to the hospital.  Aubrey had left work early and called Justin who had stated he would meet her there and now she stood, torn about whether she should stay out here waiting for Justin, or be in the delivery room with Rebecca.  The automatic doors behind her opened once more and Aubrey turned, exhaling a sigh as Justin hurried towards her. 

            "What did I miss?" He asked.

            "Nothing." Aubrey insisted, resting her head against his chest as he put his arms around her.  "Come on." She said, pulling back and taking his hand.  "Are you ready?"

 

~*~

 

 

            Aubrey's heart expanded to the point of feeling like it was going to burst from her chest as she looked down at the infant in her arms later that evening.  Her son.  The baby opened his mouth, his tiny nose crinkling as he yawned.  One little eye opened, followed by the other one and Aubrey was amazed at the overwhelming love she felt coursing through her.  This was a day she never thought she'd see.  Since that fateful day when she was eighteen and had had to make the decision to have a hysterectomy, Aubrey had tried to come to terms with the fact that she would never have a child of her own.  Yet, here she was.  Holding her son-the child she and Justin had created together.  Modern medicine was a wonderful thing and she would forever be grateful for this particular miracle.   She reached up with one hand, wiping away the lone tear that trailed down her cheek. 

            "Hey.  No tears."

            Aubrey looked up as Justin walked into the room they had been given by the hospital staff to stay in overnight.  She smiled as he came to stand next to her.  "How did it go?" She asked.

            Justin rolled his eyes and Aubrey chuckled.  "I gave them a statement." He said, referring to the media outlets who had set up camp outside the hospital when it had been leaked that their baby had been born.  He squatted down beside the chair where she sat and looked at the baby.  "I told them everything went well and the baby is healthy."

            "We need to decide on a name." Aubrey told him as she handed him the baby.  Justin looked unsure for a moment but took the baby into his arms and stood.  Aubrey watched him as he looked at his son-the look of wonder and amazement that had been there all afternoon and evening filling his blue eyes once again.  A soft smile lifted the corners of his mouth and Aubrey had never seen a more picture perfect moment than the world famous, singer, songwriter and performer, Justin Timberlake, completely captivated by the small bundle in his arms, wrapped in a blue hospital blanket.  Aubrey stood and put her arms around his waist as she laid her head against his shoulder, looking at the baby.  She reached one hand out, gently brushing her fingers against the baby's cheek.    

            "Randy." Justin said glancing over at her then looking back at the baby.  "Randy Michael Timberlake."

            Aubrey smiled.  "Perfect." She replied.  She went up on her toes, kissing Justin's cheek.  "I love you." She said, her eyes roaming over his profile.  Justin turned to look at her.  He shifted the baby slightly, holding him against his shoulder, then put his free arm around Aubrey as he hugged her close-his lips pressing against her temple.  Aubrey laid her head against his chest as she put her hand on the baby's back.  The small family stood that way for a several minutes, quietly soaking in the moment. 

            "It's amazing." Justin commented quietly, breaking the silence between them. 

            "What?" Aubrey asked, lifting her head to look at him.  His blue eyes met hers intently. 

            "I thought I knew what love was, but this..." He trailed off and Aubrey smiled tenderly.  She put a hand against his face and pulled him down, pressing her lips against his. 

            "I love you, Justin Timberlake." She told him, her lips moving against his as she kept her eyes closed-breathing him in.  "Thank you.  For making this day a reality for me."

            "Thank you." He said.  Aubrey opened her eyes and looked at him.  "Without you, I'd still be out there somewhere, wasting time...focusing on myself." 

            "You ready to be a family man?" She asked him, a grin spreading across her face. 

            Justin chuckled.  "Whether I am or not," he said.  "That's what I am now."

            Mr. SexyBack's a daddy. Aubrey thought with a laugh as she kissed him again.  What is the world coming to?

New Year's Eve by azchickadee

 "It's amazing how cute they are when they're not running around yelling and screaming." Rachel commented with a chuckle as she stood, peeking into the Family Room from where she stood in the kitchen.  Aubrey and Megan came to stand beside her as they looked at their children camped out in front of the TV watching a Disney movie. 

            "Don't be fooled by the silence." Megan commented dryly. 

            "Oh, I'm not." Rachel assured her.  "Trust me."  She looked over at her two friends. "I'm glad you guys came this week." She said as she reached over and hugged Aubrey.  "Since you guys moved to Tennessee I don't see you nearly as much as I want to." 

"I'm glad we came too." Aubrey smiled.  The three women went back into the kitchen and sat down at the table. 

"We really need to do something about that." Rachel continued. 

            "About seeing each other more?" Aubrey asked.  Rachel nodded.  "If you can figure out a way, I'm all for it but it's going to be difficult now that I'm teaching and you two are busy doing the event planning thing, and JC's started his production company..."

            "What about summer vacation?" Rachel asked.  "You're not teaching then, and we could all meet up somewhere fun.  Claire's old enough now that she's going to remember what we do and where we go."

            "What about the baby?" Megan asked, pointing out Rachel's obvious belly.  "You're going to have a newborn come summer.  You really want to be going on some huge trip?"

            "That's what you guys will be there for." Rachel grinned and they all laughed. 

            "Me?" Megan asked with a teasing grin.  "I thought you and Aubrey were planning something together."

            "How rude would that be?" Rachel asked with a laugh.  "Planning a vacation with one friend right in front of another.  I don't think so."

            "Well," Megan drawled.  "You two are the ones married to celebrities who happen to be best friends.  I'm kind of the outsider here when it comes to that."

            "Whatever!" Aubrey and Rachel both exclaimed at the same time making Megan laugh.

            "Without you, I never would have met JC." Rachel reminded her. 

            "And by default that means I wouldn't have ever met Justin." Aubrey added.

            "Not true." Rachel stated, pointing an accusatory finger at Aubrey.

            "What?" Aubrey laughed.

            "You told me about the first time you met Justin at the park, remember?" Rachel said.  "That happened all on it's on without any interference from anyone."

            "True." Aubrey nodded.  "But I seriously doubt anything else would have happened if we hadn't been friends," she gestured back and forth between herself and Rachel, "and you hadn't been dating JC, which was all made possible because you," she pointed at Megan.  "First met and married Jackson.  It's all kind of twisted and confusing when I try to think about it but however it all worked out, I'm glad it did."

            "Me too." Megan and Rachel replied simultaneously.

            "Me three."

            The girls looked up in surprise as Justin came into the kitchen, followed closely by Jackson and JC.  "What did I just agree to?" He asked as he set the pizza boxes in his hands down on the counter.

            "That you three are going to stay here with the kids tonight while we go out and party." Rachel replied straight faced.  Aubrey and Megan had to fight hard to stifle their laughter as Justin narrowed his eyes at Rachel.

            "Sure." He said, nodding his head.  "We can do that.  Right guys?" He asked over his shoulder. 

            "Yep." Jackson and JC both agreed as they set down the bags they had in their hands.  While the girls had been home trying to get the kids settled down, the guys had been given the task of going out and bringing back something for dinner. 

            "We were thinking about having our own party here anyway." Justin continued.  "We met a couple girls at the store just now that seemed like they knew how to party.  I got one of their numbers.  Bridgette...Bianca...what was her name, Jace?"  He pulled his phone from his pocket and began scrolling through his contacts.  "You girls have fun." He said with a smile as he glanced over at the table.  "And remember to call a cab when it's time to come home.  Don't want you driving when you're tipsy."

            "Justin Timberlake." Aubrey spoke up from where she was sitting.

            "Yes, dear?" He asked, turning to look at her innocently.

            Aubrey leveled him with a stern gaze.  "You better not be serious about having another girl's number in your phone."

            Justin looked at her for a moment then snapped his phone closed.  "Wouldn't dream of it." He told her with a charming smile as he shoved the phone back into his pocket.

            "Good." Aubrey nodded and everyone laughed. 

            "What were you guys really talking about?" JC asked as he walked over to Rachel and put his arms around her shoulders as he stood behind her. 

            Rachel looked up at him.  "We were just discussing all of the events that led up to us all being here right now." She told him.  "And we were planning a summer vacation."

            "Disneyland!" Justin chimed in excitedly.

            Aubrey laughed.  "He's been dying to take Randy there since he was born but I've been putting it off.  I want him to remember actually going."

            "He's four now.  He'll remember." Justin insisted.  "Let's do it!"

            "You really want to go to Disneyland?" Megan asked.  "It just doesn't seem like much of a vacation to do something right in my own backyard."

            "Well, that's your problem." Justin countered teasingly.  "We don't live here anymore, so it's not our backyard."

            Megan rolled her eyes at him.  "What about Orlando?" She asked.  "We could do Disney World instead."

            "No." Both Justin and JC shot her down. 

            "I never want to set foot inside that park again as long as I live." Justin replied, giving an exaggerated shudder.

            "I second that." JC added with a chuckle.

            "He has nightmares about it." Aubrey supplied, whispering conspiratorially to the rest of the adults with a mischievous grin.

            "Hey!" Justin exclaimed, pointing a finger at his wife.  She looked at him innocently.  "Watch it, Aubrey Janae." He warned but she just laughed. 

            "Why do you want to go to Disneyland so badly if Disney World leaves such a bad taste in your mouth?" Jackson asked as he sat down beside Megan at the table.

            "It's different." Justin replied.  "One is the happiest place on Earth.  The other is the place that sucked my childhood away from me." He replied dramatically.

            "Oh brother!" Rachel replied with a roll of her eyes.  Aubrey laughed.

            "That was by your own choice." Megan pointed out.

            "Regardless," Justin dismissed her comment.  "I'm not going to Disney World."

            "No one said you had to come." Rachel supplied. 

            Justin opened his mouth to respond but they were cut off as Claire walked into the kitchen.  "Daddy?" She asked walking towards JC. 

            JC removed his arms from around Rachel and bent to pick up the little girl.  "What, baby?" He asked as she put her arms around his neck. 

            "I need some pizza." Claire told him as she put a small hand on his cheek and looked him in the eye. 

            JC grinned.  "You need some pizza?" He asked. 

"Yes." She nodded solemnly. 

"I haven't eaten all day." Claire sighed dramatically.  "I'm hungry."

"Is that right?" He questioned, fighting-along with all of the adults-not to laugh.  "All day?"  He asked.  Again Claire nodded, her big blue eyes looking at him imploringly.  JC hugged her close.  "Well, we better feed you." He chuckled.  "Momma?" He asked, looking down at Rachel.  "She hasn't eaten all day." He said, echoing Claire's dramatic tone.  "Can she have some pizza?"

            Rachel smiled as she stood.  "Absolutely." She said, kissing Claire on the cheek.  "Go tell Scotty, Emily and Randy to come in here." She told her daughter as JC set her back down on the floor. "Dinner's ready."

            The kitchen was soon full to capacity as the four kids came in to join their parents. Pizza was distributed on paper plates, and everyone then made their way back out to the Family Room-talking and laughing as they waited to ring in the New Year.

Cruisin' by azchickadee

"You go over there and pretend to be fishes." Eight-year old Scott Taylor said to his sister Emily and his best friend Claire Chasez as he pointed to the far side of the kiddie pool.  "I'm the shark and I'm going to come get you."

"I don't want to be a fish." Six-year old Claire told him, placing her hands on her tiny hips over the red and white polka dot material of her bathing suit.  "I want to be the shark."

            "You can't be the shark." Scott replied.

            "Why not?"

            "Because you're a girl.  Only boys can be sharks." He informed her authoritatively as he folded his arms across his chest.

            "Nu-uh!" Claire insisted with a shake of her head, blonde pigtails bouncing.  "Girls can be sharks too."

            "Yeah." Emily piped up.  "How come you always get to be the shark, Scotty?"

            "Cuz girls can't be sharks." Scott replied authoritatively.

            "Yes, huh!" Claire responded.  She narrowed her eyes at him as she folded her arms across her chest. 

            "No they can't."

            "Why not?"

            "Cuz I said so."

            "Daddy!" Claire called, turning her head and searching for her father.

            "I'm right here." JC said from where he sat at the pool's edge, Claire's two-year old brother Kyle splashing in the water around his feet.  He lifted the sunglasses he was wearing to look at her.

            "Tell Scott that girls can be sharks, too." She said pointing her finger at the boy standing next to her in the knee deep water.  JC smiled as he lowered his sunglasses.

            "Girls can be sharks, Scotty." JC informed the kids.

            "See!" Claire smirked triumphantly while Scott scowled at her.  "Told ya!"

            "Why don't you two take turns being the shark?" JC suggested. 

            "Okay." Claire said happily, ecstatic at having gotten her way.

            "But I--" Scott began.

            "Scott." Jackson cut him off from where he sat next to JC.  "You guys need to take turns.  Understand?"

            "Yeah." Scott mumbled as he folded his arms, sulking at having been proven wrong.  

 

            Hard feelings were soon forgotten though as the three began splashing and chasing each other around the pool-their squeals and lighthearted giggles made JC and Jackson smile as they watched their children playing. 

            "Remind me again, how we got suckered into kid duty today?" Jackson asked.

            JC chuckled.  "I don't know but I've found its best not to argue.  Things tend to work out better for me that way." He said.  Jackson laughed and shook his head.  Megan and Rachel had gotten it into their heads a few months ago that they wanted to go on a cruise since they'd never been on one before.  They had thought it would be a great idea for the yearly summer vacation that their families took but Justin, Aubrey and Randy hadn't been able to come because of Aubrey's family reunion happening the same week.  They were missed but everyone was planning on meeting up with the "Tennessee Three-some" in a couple weeks.  Justin was coming into town for the release party for an album he had helped produce and Aubrey and Randy were coming with him. 

            "Fiss." Kyle exclaimed coming to JC's side, drawing him from his thoughts and pointing his fingers at the older kids, laughing at them.

            "Are the fish being funny, Ky?" He asked, tousling his son's dark hair.

            "Yeah." The toddler smiled up at him, the brown eyes he'd inherited from his mother sparkling.  "Momma?"

            "Let's go find Momma.  What do you say?" JC asked, standing.

            "Yeah!" Kyle said, stepping out of the pool.

            "Alright.  Come on, little man." JC said, wrapping a towel around Kyle and picking up the toddler.  He rubbed one corner of the towel over his son's head, making his dark hair stand up all over the place as JC placed him on his hip.  "You alright if I leave you for a minute?" He asked looking at Jackson.

            "Yeah, I'm fine." Jackson replied with a wave of his hand.

            JC turned and lifted his shades-scanning all the people sitting by the pool, searching for his wife.  When he spotted her and Megan sitting at the far end of the deck area he bounced Kyle on his hip.  "Do you see Momma?" He asked the little boy as they walked.  Kyle shook his head.  "She's right there." JC said, pointing his finger.  Kyle looked in the direction he was pointing.  When he spotted his mother he began squirming to get down.  JC chuckled as he let Kyle down, following after him as the toddler took off.  He laughed when Kyle startled Rachel as he jumped excitedly onto her lap.

            "Momma!" He exclaimed happily.

            "Hi." Rachel laughed giving the little boy a hug.  "Are you having fun?"

            "Huh." He nodded excitedly.  "I bin simmin'.  Cwair bin fiss." He said, explaining about his sister pretending to be a fish.

            "Really?" Rachel asked smiling at JC as he sat down next to her, tossing the towel he'd had Kyle wrapped in over the back of Rachel's lounge chair.

            "Huh." Kyle nodded again.

            "Are the kids okay?" She asked JC.

            "Yeah, they're fine." He assured her, combing his fingers through his hair.  "Claire and Scott got into an argument over whether or not girls can pretend to be a shark, but we finally got it figured out."

            "Oh good." Rachel said as Megan laughed beside her.

            "I swear, those two..." Megan shook her head.  "One of these days they're going kill each other."

            "Or end up married." Rachel replied.

            "Now there's a scary thought." Megan said.

            "Why is that scary?" Rachel asked with a laugh.  "I don't think--"

            "Momma?" Kyle asked, interrupting her as he placed his hands on her face and turned her to look at him.

            "What, baby?" She asked as she smiled and placed her hands over his-giving him her undivided attention.

            "I-keem?" He asked.

            "Ice cream?" Rachel asked dramatically and he nodded, his big brown eyes pleading with her.  "I don't know." She pursed her lips as if in thought.  "What do you think, Dad?" She looked over at JC. 

            "Hmmm..." JC hummed, acting as if he were giving the question a lot of thought.

            "Peas?" Kyle begged, looking back and forth between his parents.  "I good." He nodded and Rachel laughed as she hugged him.

            "Yes you are." She told him.  "Okay." She relented, kissing his cheek.  "You can have some ice cream."

            "Yeah!" He exclaimed then climbed down off her lap and began tugging on JC's hand.  "Come." He said. 

            JC leaned over and kissed Rachel.  "I'm going to get you for this." He said, lifting his sunglasses and looking at her. 

            "Promise?" She asked as she smiled up at him.  She brought her hand up and ran it over his cheek and kissed him again.

            "Come!" Kyle insisted, continuing to pull on his father's arm.  JC pulled back from Rachel and looked down at his son.  He growled as he scooped the little boy up in his arms and slung him over his shoulder.  Kyle giggled uncontrollably when JC began tickling him as they walked away.  Rachel chuckled as she watched the two men who held equal claim to her heart disappear in their quest for ice cream.  JC turned just then as if sensing her watching him.  He lifted his sunglasses, propped Kyle up higher on his hip and pointed towards her.  Kyle waved and gave her a huge grin.  Rachel smiled and waved back at her son-who was the spitting image of his father.  He was going to be a heartbreaker when he grew up.  JC winked and blew her a kiss from across the deck and Rachel's smile grew.  She sighed as she watched him turn again and continue walking away from her.  Two babies and almost nine years later and she was still ridiculously in love with him.

            "Do you think you two will ever get over the honeymoon stage?" Megan asked from where she sat beside Rachel, flipping through the magazine she was looking at.

            "I hope not." Rachel sighed as she turned to look at her best friend, a silly smile on her face.  Megan laughed as she rolled her eyes.  "I hope not."     

 

~*~

 

            "When I grow up I'm gonna be a architect." Scott informed Claire as they sat together-a large beach towel wrapped around both their shoulders as they shared some ice cream.

            "What's a articheck?" She asked him, her little brows furrowed in confusion as she took a bite.

            "Someone who makes houses." He replied.

            "Oh yeah?  I'm gonna be a dancer like my mom and dad." Claire replied proudly.

            "Dad's aren't dancers." Scott said, taking a bite.

            "Yes, huh." Claire nodded.  "Girls can be sharks and dad's can be dancers, Scott." She told him firmly.

            "Dancing's for girls though." Scott laughed. 

            "No, dancing gets you girls." JC replied, jumping into their conversation.  Scott and Claire looked over at him where he sat next to them trying to put sun block on a very wiggly Kyle.  Jackson had taken a sleepy Emily back to their cabin a few minutes ago-leaving JC alone watching the kids.

            "You were a dancer, Uncle Jace?" Scott asked in disbelief.

            "Yep." JC nodded.

            "Why?"

            "Because dancing gets you girls." JC repeated with a wink.

            Scott scrunched up his nose.  "I don't want to get girls." He replied.

            "You will." JC chuckled, finally letting Kyle down off his lap.  "You will."

            "Girls are gross." Scott insisted.

            "Hey!" Claire exclaimed.  "I'm a girl!"

            "No you're not.  You're Claire."

            "Careful, Scott." JC warned the eight-year old as he turned his attention back to watching Kyle.

            "I'm done." Claire said, pushing the towel off of her and standing.  "Come on, Scott.  Let's go play."

 

~*~

 

            "Don't look now," Megan said, lowering her sunglasses and raising her head from the white plastic lounge chair she sat in by the pool.  "But I think that's JC Chasez over there and he is totally checking you out."

            "What?" Rachel began lifting her head to look in the direction her best friend had been looking.

            "I said don't look!" Megan said, swatting Rachel with the magazine she'd been looking at.

            "Sorry." Rachel giggled, laying back down and closing her eyes.  "Are you serious?  JC Chasez is here?" She asked with a grin, fighting the urge to look around and find the object of their conversation.  "Remember when we both used to have huge crushes on him?"

            "Used to?" Megan asked with a chuckle.

            "Where is he?"

            "Sitting in a chair over by the kiddie pool." Megan informed her.

            "Is he alone?"

            "Yep." Megan said with a smile.

            "What do you think I should do?  Should I go talk to him?"

            "Work it girl."

            Rachel stood and pulled on her red bikini top.  "How do I look?"

            "Fabulous." Megan grinned up at her.

 

            JC watched appreciatively as Rachel approached him-the red bikini she wore far too tempting for her own good.  Almost nine years of being together and she still made him hot-along with more than one guy on deck with them.  He watched as several pairs of male eyes followed his wife as she came to sit next to him in an empty chair and he fought the desire to punch each and every one of them.  The only thing that kept in his chair was the fact that it was their children he had been watching over and his ring that sparkled on her finger.

            "Hi." She said, smiling coyly at him as she slowly brushed her hair back over her shoulder and crossed one long leg over the other.

            "Hey." He replied casually.

            "Are those your kids?" She asked, gesturing towards the pool.  JC wanted nothing more than to lean over and kiss her tempting mouth but held back.  He could see the sparkle of mischief in her brown eyes and was curious to see what exactly she was up to. 

            "Yep." He replied.  "Those two are mine." He said proudly pointing out Claire and Kyle.

            "I thought so." Rachel said with a smile, gathering her hair in her hands and, leaning back in her chair, letting the long blond tresses fall behind her as she closed her eyes and sighed deeply.  JC swallowed as his eyes moved hungrily over her incredible body-the body he knew as well as his own.  Except for some added fullness to her hips, looking at her you'd never know she was the mother of two.  "I saw you earlier and thought you were really cute." She said interrupting his thoughts.  She looked over at him.  "Your son looks just like you."

            "Thanks." He replied with a grin.  "They are pretty cute kids, but they're also a handful.  They get that from their mother." He informed her.  "She can be pretty feisty."

            "Is that so?" Rachel replied and he could tell she was fighting back a smile.  "You know, I've always been attracted to guys who were good with kids." She told him.  "Is your wife here?" She asked and he wondered what she wanted him to say to that. 

            "Yeah." He said and her lips twitched up slightly.  Feeling satisfied that he'd given the correct answer he continued.  "She's around her somewhere." He removed his sunglasses-propping them atop his head and stared intently into her beautiful eyes.

            "What a shame." She replied.  She sat up and moved to stand but he reached out and put a hand on her arm, stopping her.

"Room 614." He said.  "Five minutes.  Be there."  With that he stood and walked away.

 

Rachel smiled as she watched JC walk away from her, her eyes traveling admiringly over his retreating form.  She sighed appreciatively.  JC was like a bottle of fine wine-he just kept getting better with age and she giggled as she thought about the exchange they'd just had.  She stood and quickly walked back to where Megan lay sunbathing.

            "Can you watch the kids for the next little while?" She asked, looking down at her best friend.

            "Sure." Megan replied, placing a hand over her eyes as she looked up at Rachel.  "Why?"

            "I've got a hot date." Rachel smirked.

            "Get out of here." Megan replied with a laugh as she stood and gathered up her stuff.  "You had the kids last night.  We'll just keep Claire and Kyle with us tonight."

            "Thanks!" Rachel said, gathering up her stuff as well.  "I owe you."

            "No, that's why we decided to take this cruise together, remember?  So we'd both be able to have a vacation."

            "You know where we are if the kids need anything." Rachel said, slinging her red beach bag over her shoulder.  "See you tomorrow." She smirked and Megan laughed.

New Family Member by azchickadee

 Aubrey smiled as she leaned against the doorframe of Randy's bedroom a few nights later and stood, watching as her son slept.  It was hard to believe how fast time flew.  Was her little boy really already eight years old? 

The new boxer puppy they had bought last week was curled up against Randy's side while his arms were thrown out on either side of him in reckless abandon-a pose very similar to one she'd seen out of his father on numerous occasions.  Whenever Justin went to bed before she did, he often fell asleep taking up the majority of the bed and she had to fight to get him to give her some space.  She tip-toed towards Randy's bed and-after pulling the covers back over him that he had kicked off-she sat down on the edge of the mattress. 

The puppy woke up, lifting her head to look at Aubrey with sleepy brown eyes.  Aubrey reached over and gave the dog a scratch behind the ears.  Their beloved Brennan had died last month and they had all been heartbroken-Justin most of all.  Aubrey had found a listing in the paper a few days ago for a litter of boxer pups for sale and had taken Randy with her to pick one out as a surprise for his dad.  Randy had bonded with this particular puppy right away and had immediately pronounced that her name was Bailey.  Justin had yet to meet this new addition to their family as he had been out of town in New York all week meeting with the design team for WilliamRast-putting together their new line for next year-and Randy couldn't wait to show his dad the puppy. 

            Randy shifted in his sleep and Aubrey reached her hand out, combing her fingers through his short curls, and then cupping his cheek as she leaned over and pressed her lips to his forehead.  How she loved this little boy!  He was the perfect combination of Justin and herself and she couldn't imagine her life without him.  He had his father's playful and mischievous nature at times and would often do things that would bring her to the limit of her patience, but then he would give her that impish grin of his and throw his arms around her and she would instantly forget what it was he had done to make her upset.  Just like his father.  She thought with a smile and a shake of her head.

            Bailey stood up just then, her dog tags jingling as she shook her little body.  Aubrey gathered the pup in her arms as she stood.  "Come on, Miss Bailey." She said quietly, letting the puppy lick her face.  "Let's go outside one more time before we lock up for the night."  With one more look at her son, Aubrey quietly crept out of his room and walked downstairs. 

 

            Justin opened the front door and let himself in to the house, a tired sigh escaping his lips.  He was home.  It had been a long week full of endless meetings and design sessions but he felt good about everything he and Trace had been able to accomplish this week.  Next year's line was going to be amazing and he couldn't wait to show Aubrey the sketches they'd put together-anxious to get her reaction.  He tossed his keys on the table against the wall of the entryway and dropped his bags to the tiled floor. 

            "Hey, Buck." He said with a sad smile as the old dog came to greet and welcome him home.  He crouched down as he gave the boxer a head rub.  They'd lost Brennan last month and Justin knew it wouldn't be too much longer before Buckley left them as well.  It was hard to see them go-they had been a part of his and his family's life for so long-but there wasn't much he could do to stop it from happening.  He looked up as he heard someone on the stairs and stood as Aubrey appeared.  "Hey, pretty girl." He smiled.  Buckley sat down and leaned against his leg as he stood.  Justin put his hand on the dog's head. 

            "Justin!" Aubrey exclaimed as she walked down to meet him, a puppy in her arms.  "What are you doing home?" She asked.  "I thought you were in New York until Sunday."

            "We finished what we needed to do." He told her.  "But I can go back for a couple more days if you want." He offered teasingly.

            "No." She shook her head as she walked towards him.  "Don't you dare."  She put one arm around his neck as she pressed her lips against his.  "I don't want you to go back."

            Justin wrapped his arms around her waist and leaned into the kiss, drawing her firmly against him and completely forgetting about the puppy she was holding until it gave out a little yelp.  He drew back and Aubrey chuckled as they looked down at the dog.

            "Who's this?" He asked, taking the puppy from her and holding her up in front of him. 

            "This is Bailey." She told him as he held the pup against his chest and began playing with her.  "Randy picked her out a couple days ago as a surprise for you."

            "For me?" Justin asked.  "It's not my birthday."  He said, smiling as Bailey began chewing on his fingers. 

            "No..." Aubrey drawled.  "But, I know how hard it was for you to lose Brennan, and Buckely isn't going to be around for very much longer and I honestly don't know what I would do without a dog running around constantly getting under foot." She told him with a smile and he laughed.  "Randy's really excited to show you the puppy." Aubrey continued.  "He made me promise not to tell you about getting her until you got home and he could show you himself.  Justin smiled.  "So, you have to act surprised in the morning, okay?" She asked taking Bailey from him. 

            "Okay." He replied as he followed Aubrey to the kitchen.  She opened the back door and stepped out onto the back porch.  Bending down she placed the puppy on the ground.  Buckley, who had followed them outside as well, walked down the porch steps and wandered out into the backyard.  Bailey took off after him and Justin chuckled as he wrapped his arms around his wife's waist and buried his face in her neck-inhaling her familiar and comforting scent.  Aubrey sighed as she leaned back against him.  "I missed you." He murmured as he kissed her neck then rested his chin against her shoulder. 

            "I missed you, too." She told him, turning in his arms.  Her eyes met his and Justin felt the same rush he'd been feeling everyday for the last nine and a half years as she lifted her arms and draped them around his neck.  Their lips met in a slow, sensuous kiss and Justin tightened his arms around her as he proceeded to make love to her with his mouth.  He heard her utter a quiet moan and he shuddered slightly as her fingers began playing with the short hair at the base of his neck.  Their lips parted-their breath mingling as they stayed locked in each other's arms-and Justin closed his eyes as he pressed his forehead against hers.

            "How do you do that?" She breathed.  He opened his eyes and looked at her in question.  "It's been almost ten years." She told him, her eyes slowly opening.  She looked at him, a dreamy expression on her beautiful face.  "But every time you kiss me it's like it's the first time." 

            "It's all part of my charm." He replied with a grin and she laughed as she hugged him tightly.  Justin again buried his face in her neck as he held her close-beyond thankful for this woman in his arms.  She was his sanity and reason for living.  She was his best friend, his lover and the mother of his child.  She was everything to him-everything he wanted and everything he needed. 

            "I guess I shouldn't be surprised after all this time." She mused with a chuckle as she kept her arms around him and her head against his shoulder.  "There's a reason that you were the only one who could bring sexy back." She teased as she lifted her head to look at him, her smile making him smile in return.   

            "Damn right." He agreed with a laugh.  "Now, how about we go back inside and you welcome me home properly."

            "Properly?" She asked, one delicate eye brow rising.  "And just how do I do that?" She questioned, tilting her head to the side and narrowing her eyes in question. 

            "Mmmm..." he hummed, lowering his head and placing his lips against the corner of her jaw.  "You know what you want," he began singing in her ear and smiled when he felt her shiver in his arms.  "And that makes you just like me." He moved his hips against hers and felt her breathing begin to pick up slightly.  "See everybody says you're hot, baby, but can you make it hot for me?  Said if you're thinking ‘bout holding back don't worry, girl.  ‘Cause I'm gonna make it so easy so slide a little bit closer to me, little girl.  Daddy's on a mission to please..."

            "Damn you, Justin Timberlake." She breathed and he couldn't hold back his laughter as he pulled back to look at her. 

            "Got ya hot, baby?" He asked, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

            "Yes, and you know it." She told him looking at him sternly.  He could tell she was trying to hold back a smile and he grinned when her smile finally broke and she slapped him playfully on the chest. 

            "So let's go." He said, nodding his head back towards the house.  He took her hands in his and began pulling her inside. 

            "What about the dogs?" She asked.

            "They're dogs, Aubrey." He replied as they stepped into the kitchen and he shut the door.  "It's okay if they're outside."

            "But what about--"

            "Girl!"  He all but growled as he pushed her back against the wall and covered her lips with his.  "I've been away from you all week, Aubrey Janae." He reminded her.  "I need you.  Please..." he pulled back to look at her.  He lifted his hands and gently cupped her face.  "Shut up and let me love you."

            Aubrey smiled as she put her arms around his neck and pressed her lips against his.  "I love you, Justin." She breathed as she surrendered to him.  "Welcome home."    

Growing Pains by azchickadee

"They can't be that bad, Claire." Emily insisted with a chuckle.

            "Yes they can.  They're hideous!" Claire replied as she held the phone to her ear and grimaced at her reflection in the mirror, inspecting the mess of brackets and wires that had been attached to her teeth this morning.  "This is horrible!  We're starting high school next week and I've got a mouth full of metal!  The only thing I can say is: good thing pictures were taken last week when we were registering."

            "Come on!" Emily replied, sighing at her friend's dramatics.  "It's not that bad.  If you don't make a big deal out of it...it won't be a big deal.  Trust me." Emily told her.  "I betcha nobody's even going to notice."

            "We'll see." Claire said, flopping back onto her bed.  She was convinced her life was over and nobody was going to persuade her otherwise.  Fourteen was a critical age and starting high school with a mouth full of metal wasn't going to help her social life any.

            "Claire?" Rachel asked, knocking on the door to her bedroom.

            "Yeah, Mom?"  She asked as Rachel opened her door.  "Hold on, Em." She said, putting the phone against her chest.

            "You ready to go?" Rachel asked.

            "Yeah." Claire replied, getting up from the bed.  "Hey, Em, I gotta go."

            "Dance?" Emily asked.

            "Always." Claire replied.  "We're getting ready for the competition next month."

            "'Kay.  Call me later." Emily replied.

            "I will.  Bye." Claire hung up the phone and grabbed her dance bag from the floor by the closet and followed her mother downstairs.  Rachel walked around JC-who was sitting at the counter looking over the contracts he'd just had drawn up for a new artist he was signing to his label-trailing her hand across his back.  She leaned down and kissed him as she grabbed her purse and keys from the counter.

            "We'll be back." She told him.  "I'll pick something up for dinner on the way home." 

            "Okay." He replied, looking up at her.  "Where's Kyle?" He asked.

            "He's over at Mike's house." Rachel told him, drawing her hair up and securing it in a ponytail holder.  "He knows to be home by six." 

            "Hey." He said swiveling around on the stool he was sitting on as Claire walked past him. "Hold on.  Open up." He requested, putting his hands on her shoulders.  "Let's see ‘em."

            "No.  They're hideous." Claire responded with a pout.

            "I'm paying good money for these things." He informed her.  "I think I'm entitled to see what exactly it is I'm paying for."

            "Dad!" Claire grumbled with a condescending roll of her eyes.

            "Open up."  He said.  Claire sighed heavily then glared at him as she opened her mouth and showed him the braces.  "Ooh, you're right." He grimaced.  "They are hideous."

            "Joshua!" Rachel exclaimed in shock as Claire pulled back and stormed out of the kitchen.  "That was good." Rachel told him as she put her hands on her hips.  "Real smooth."

            "What?" He asked, putting his hands up as he stepped towards her.

            "She's very self conscious right now and she doesn't need you," she said, poking her finger into his chest, "Saying things like that right now."

            "Honey, I was kidding." He defended himself.

            "She's fourteen, Jace." Rachel reminded him.  "It doesn't matter if you were kidding.  Do you even remember what it was like to be fourteen?"

            "Of course I do.  Come on." He said.  "Cut me some slack."

            "No." Rachel shook her head.  "You're in trouble, Joshua Scott.  You need to apologize to her."

 

~*~

 

            "Hey."

            Claire looked up as Scott walked across her front yard that evening. "Hey." She said.  She'd been sitting with her knees drawn up in front of her as she sat on the porch steps, leaning against the railing.  As he approached her Claire looked down at her hands in her lap.

            "So..." He drawled.

            "So...what?" She asked, still not looking at him.

            "Are they really that bad?" He asked.  "Emily said I should brace myself." He said.

            Claire looked up at him, fighting not to smile at his lame joke, but as she looked into his teasing blue eyes she couldn't help it.  "That was really lame, Scotty." She told him with a chuckle.

            "Yeah, but it made you smile." He replied, nudging her with his shoulder.  "Come on Curlz, it can't be that bad, can it?"

            "Curls?" She asked, looking at him in confusion.  "What in the world?" She laughed.

            "It's your new nickname." He told her.  "I just came up with it."

            "Why?" She asked.

            He shrugged.  "Claire Chasez just sounds so formal.  Not that there's anything wrong with that." He quickly assured her.  "I like your name.  I just...thought you needed something lighter.  I like it.  Curlz."  He said it again then nodded.  "It fits you.  But you have to spell it with a ‘z'." He informed her.

            "You are so weird." She said, shaking her head as she chuckled again.  "This sucks, Scott." She said.

            "What does?" He asked.

            "This." She opened her mouth and showed him her braces.  "Everyone's going to make fun of me next week."

            "No they're not." He replied. "Everybody gets braces."

            "You didn't." She said.

            "Not yet." He replied with a grin.

            "Do you want to know what the worst part is?"

            "What?" He asked.

            "I can't have popcorn or eat caramels." She informed him.  "I'm going to die." She leaned her head down, resting it against her knees.

            "No you're not." He laughed.

            "We'll see." She grumbled.

            "Hey," he nudged her again with his shoulder.

            "What?" She looked at him.

            "What if I promise to take you to the movies and buy you a big bag of caramels and a giant tub of popcorn the day you get those things off?" He asked. 

            "Promise?" She asked, a smile spreading across her face.

            "Promise."  He told her.  "The biggest bag I can find."

            "I'm gonna hold you to that." She pointed a finger at him.  He just smiled.  "So, what's high school like?" She asked him, leaning back on her hands.  He mimicked her, leaning back on his hands as well.

            "What do you want to know?" He asked.

            She looked over at him.  "I have Mueller for English.  How is she?"

            "I don't know." He replied.  "I never had her."  He leaned forward again and hung his arms over his knees.  "The one you have to watch out for is Lincoln.  She's a, uh..." he looked over at her.  "Well, let's just say you won't like her very much."  Claire laughed.  They sat outside talking for the next hour.  Scott kept her laughing and made her forget all about her fears of starting high school.

            "Alright, you two." Rachel said, opening the front door and leaning against the doorframe.  Claire sighed as she looked over at Scott.  "It's getting kind of late and you've got dance practice early in the morning." She said to Claire.

            "Five more minutes?" Claire begged.

            "Claire..."

            "I've gotta go." Scott said standing as Rachel went back inside.  "I'll see you later, Claire." He said, holding his hand out to her and helping her to stand.

            "Alright." She hugged him then walked the few steps to the door.  "Hey, Scott?" She turned back around and called after him.

            "Yeah?" He turned around.

            "Don't forget your promise." She said, smiling.

            "I won't.  Good night, Curlz." He smiled then continued walking across the yard.

            "Night." She called after him with a smile.  She was thankful she had Scott in her life.  He always seemed to know when she needed him and was always able to make her laugh and forget her problems for a little while.

            "Curls?" Rachel questioned as she walked inside and shut the door. 

            Claire shrugged.  "Apparently it's my new nickname." She said as she walked away.  "But it's spelled with a ‘z', not an ‘s'."  She stopped as she walked past the mirror hanging in the entry way.  Standing back and looking at herself she took in her appearance.  She'd been lucky and had gotten the best of both her parents.  Her mother's blonde hair, pert nose and long legs combined with the curls, blue eyes and cheekbones she'd gotten from her father.  She wasn't ashamed to admit she thought she was pretty good looking...until she smiled.  Claire sighed.  Two years.  She reminded herself.  That's what the orthodontist said.  Two years.  That's not so bad.  She tried to reassure herself as she turned and continued walking towards the stairs.

            "Claire?"

            She stopped when she heard her dad call from the front room.  "Yeah?" She said, not moving.  His comment earlier-though she knew he had said it in jest-still stung.  She folded her arms across her chest and waited to see if he would say anything else.  

            "You got a second?" He asked.

            She sighed as she turned and walked back to the front room.  "What?" She asked leaning against the wall, looking at him as he sat on the couch several photo albums spread out around him.

            "Come here." He said with a smile as he patted the couch next to him.

            "Dad, I've got practice early in the morning." She said.

            "I know, but...I want to show you something." He said.  "Come on." He coaxed her with a grin.  "You know you want to."

            With a roll of her eyes she pushed away from the wall and went to sit next to him.  "What?" She asked.

            "I was just thinking." He said, turning a few pages in the album on his lap.  He stopped on one in particular and set the book in her lap.  "If I could go on stage in front of millions of people looking like that every night," he pointed to several pictures that had been taken of him back when he'd been performing in N SYNC.  "Then I know you'll be able to survive having braces."

            Claire couldn't help giggling at the pictures he showed her.  "I can't believe that's you!" She exclaimed.  "And Uncle Justin!" She giggled.  "You guys really wore that?"

            "Unfortunately, yes." He chuckled as he put his arm around her and looked down at the album with her.

            "Why?" She asked, looking up at him.

            "Because we thought it looked cool." He told her and she giggled again.  "Your mom thought I was pretty hot." He said.

            "I don't know why." She teased him and he laughed.

            "I'm sorry." He said, putting his other arm around her.  "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings earlier."

            "I know." She said.

            "I was just trying to lighten the somber mood you were in-make you smile."

            "I know, Dad."

            "Am I forgiven?" He asked.

            "Yeah." She nodded.  "I love you, Dad."  She said, putting her arms around him.

            "I love you too, Claire." He said, kissing the side of her head as he held her tightly.  "Very much."

 

            JC watched as Claire stood, after a couple more minutes of looking through pictures with him, and left the room.  He hadn't seen some of the pictures in this book in years and looking at them now made him laugh at himself and at how ridiculous he'd been.  "What in the world was I thinking?" He asked out loud.

            "I often asked myself the same question." Rachel said, startling him as she draped her arms around his neck from behind and kissed his cheek.  He chuckled as he placed one of his hands over hers where they rested against his chest.  "Like that one." She said pointing at one picture in particular.  "What the hell?" She asked laughing.

            "It was the fashion back then." He said.

            "Yeah..." Rachel drawled, laughing.  "You just keep telling yourself that." She said, kissing his cheek again. 

            "Let's talk about something else." He said as he shut the book and pushed it off his lap.  He took hold of her hand and drew her around the couch then pulled her down onto his lap.

            "What do you want to talk about?" She asked, cocking her head to the side as she put her arms around his neck.

            "About whether or not I'm still in trouble." He answered, leaning forward as he began kissing up her neck slowly.  "You're not going to make me sleep out here on the couch tonight, are you?" He asked.

            "Hmmm..." She hummed, "I don't know..." She trailed off.

            "I was kind of hoping we could...you know..." His hand slipped beneath her shirt and Rachel giggled as he drew her closer-whispering exactly what he wanted to do to her.

            "Well, in that case." She said placing a warm kiss to his lips.  "Just promise me one thing." She said pulling back and looking at him. 

            "Anything." He said.

            "Promise me you'll think about what you say before you actually say it." She said, running her fingers through his graying hair.  "Claire's very impressionable right now, Joshua-one tiny thing can rock her whole little world.  You have to be careful. You obviously don't know what it's like to be a fourteen year old girl."

            "No, thank heavens." He said with an exaggerated shudder.  Rachel laughed and playfully hit his chest.  "I promise." He said as he leaned forward and kissed her.  "I'll think about what I say before I say it."

            "Thank you."  Rachel said, laying her head on his chest and wrapping her arms around him.  She sat there for a moment, just enjoying the feeling of being able to hold him close.  She loved having his strong arms wrapped around her and being able to hear the steady beat of his heart against her ear.  She closed her eyes and listened to that reassuring rhythm for a moment.  "You're a good dad, you know that?"

            "Really?" He asked, pulling back and looking down at her.

            "Really." She said sitting up and looking up at him.  She placed a hand to his face as their eyes met and held on to each other's.   

            "That's funny." He said with a chuckle, his blue eyes searching hers.  "I feel like I don't know what the hell I'm doing most of the time." He admitted.

            "You're doing great." She assured him with a smile.  Drawing him down she kissed him, her lips lingering against his for a long moment.  "The kids are lucky to have you as their father and so am I." She told him, kissing him softly once more. 

            "Thanks." He said, tightening his arms around her. 

            "You're welcome."  Rachel said once more settling her head against his chest.  Finding one of his hands she laced her fingers with his as he began rubbing her back with his other hand.  "So, tell me about this new act you're signing." 

End Notes:

That's it...that's all I've got.  LOL.  Hope you liked getting a little glimpse into the future to help fill in the gap between the last chapter and the epilogue of "The Space Between."  

 

If anyone has any story ideas, I'm always up for suggestions...you never know when inspiration is going to strike!  <3  

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2124