Turkey Trouble by Lew
Summary: Chris decides his new wife needs some help preparing the Thanksgiving meal so he makes his own plans, determined to be the good guy.  But he seriously underestimates Marie.  And unfortunately none of the other men of NSYNC will help him get out of the hot seat. 
Categories: Completed Het Stories, Group Characters: Chris Kirkpatrick, Group
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Humor
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1881 Read: 903 Published: Nov 16, 2011 Updated: Nov 16, 2011
Story Notes:
This just popped in my head yesterday, couldn't write the next chapter to my other story until I got this done.  This is my first Chris fanfic, but I think it fits his personality.  So be gentle, but let me know what you think. 

1. Chapter 1 by Lew

Chapter 1 by Lew

“Look, just help me get out of the house and I’ll explain everything in the car,” Chris whispered to the other guys as they looked back at him in confusion from their places of relaxation around the media room. 

The members of NSYNC and their wives/significant others were celebrating Thanksgiving together this year.  It had been so many years since they had gotten together for the holidays so this year they were celebrating Thanksgiving with their NSYNC brothers and Christmas with their blood relatives. 

Since it had been Chris’ idea, he and his new wife Marie had volunteered to host the meal/party for the first year.  As with many Thanksgiving’s across the nation, the men congregated in front of the television, the women in the kitchen, and the kids ran back and forth between the two and the game room.   But Chris had other ideas. 

He and Marie had only been married for about a month after a whirlwind courtship.  So far, the majority of their marriage had been spent on a two-week honeymoon, then other short trips around Chris’ band schedule.  He wasn’t too confident that she would be able to make the turkey and all the trimmings as she planned to do, so he came up with an alternative idea that he was sure would make him a hero. 

***

“Can you believe it?”  Marie asked the other women who were in the kitchen with her.  “I mean how insulting.  And apparently he doesn’t think I’m going to find out or notice a different turkey or anything.”

Kelly, Joey’s wife and Jessica, Justin’s girlfriend were about to express their anger when Marie shushed them with a look.  “Watch and learn ladies.”  They turned back to the counter trying to act busy while they enjoyed the show

The five men tromped into the kitchen on their way through to the garage.  “Hey babe, we’re gonna go out for a bit, okay?”  Chris pressed a kiss on Marie’s temple as he passed quickly by. 

“Oh Chris, dear?”  Marie called before he could leave. 

“Yes, sweetums?”  He mocked her tone.  They never used endearments, which should have tipped Chris off right there. 

“There’s a box on the counter there, can you drop that off at the homeless shelter while you’re there, please.”

“Homeless shelter?  We’re not going to the homeless shelter.”  He remarked in confusion, “We just thought we would go find a basketball court or something.  We won’t be gone too long.”  He tried to get out the door, but found he was blocked by Kelly. 

“Oh, you’re not going to the shelter?  Then what are you going to do with the extra turkey and all the sides?”  Marie’s tone was deceptively innocent. 

Chris’ eyes got very large, “Wh-what extra turkey?  You have the turkey in the oven, don’t you?”

“Yes, I do.  So you’re saying that you didn’t order another turkey already cooked thinking that my turkey wouldn’t turn out well?”  She finally turned to look at him causing the other men surrounding Chris to scatter to avoid Marie’s piercing glare, leaving Chris alone in the hot seat. 

Chris laughed nervously.  “Ha…Ha…no?”

“You’re sure?”

“Yeah?”  He replied doubtfully. 

Without taking her eyes off Chris’ face, she reached behind her and pressed a button on the phone.  A recording started and Chris’ mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water as he listened and began to hyperventilate, caught in Marie’s trap.

“Hello Mr. Kirkpatrick, this is Katie from Chefs Corner just calling to confirm that your Thanksgiving turkey, sides, and pies will be ready for you to pick up at 10:30 tomorrow morning.  Please call me if you –”  Marie stopped the recording and raised an eyebrow, waiting for his explanation. 

“Um – uh –”  He stuttered as the rest of the kitchen watched Marie work on him.  Chris looked at the other men in desperation, hoping for some help from someone.  JC found an interesting picture on the refrigerator; Joey grabbed a slice of cheese from the tray in front of Kelly; Lance suddenly crouched to tie his shoe; Justin was the only who answered.  “I’ve always said that women are smarter than men; you’re in deep man.”

“That’s a very intelligent answer, Justin, because I’m sure none of the other men in the room would go out and order a Thanksgiving meal especially when their wife is preparing one for them at home, right gentlemen?” 

They all scrambled to answer, “No way.”  “Uh uh.”  “Never.”  “Not in a million years.”

“So Chris, did you honestly think that I wouldn’t be able to cook a delicious meal for everyone?”

Chris started to answer, but as JC was standing closest to Chris, he reached out and punched his shoulder, “Don’t answer that, it’s a trap, and there’s nothing you can say right now to get out of it.”

“JC is exactly right.  I think those dreadlocks from your earlier years did something to your brain.  So…this is what is going to happen next…the five of you are going to go pick up whatever Chris ordered for our meal today and take it to the shelter on 5th street.  You need to pick it up soon because the shelter is expecting you by 11:30 as they start serving lunch at 12.  Joey – you are going to drive since you have the biggest vehicle and Lance – since I’ve always liked you, I’m going to put you in charge of Chris today.  Keep him in line.”

The men shoved Chris from the kitchen; he still couldn’t believe his plan fell through. 

“Oh, and Joey – you may want to stop at a gas station if you find one open and get Chris a piece of pizza or a sub as he will not be eating turkey at my table today.”  Chris groaned at her words.

Kelly and Jessica shouted and clapped as Marie slammed the door behind the men.  She turned around with a huge smile and gave a bow.  “And that, ladies, is how it’s done.”

***

Marie never intended to refuse Chris Thanksgiving dinner, but she wanted him to squirm a little bit as he learned his lesson.  The fact that he doubted her ability stung a little bit and she wanted to convey her displeasure. 

His sad puppy dog face said it all at the dining room table as everyone around him had a heaping plate of wonderful looking and delectable tasting food, while he had a piece of cold gas station pizza on his. 

Taking pity on him, she passed him a plate full of food.  He winked and grabbed her hand to press a kiss on her palm.  “Ah ha, see everyone all is forgiven, Marie still loves me!”  He announced to the room, but quieted when he caught Marie’s look.  “Um, I mean, I – ”

Almost in unison, the men spoke, “You’d better stop while you’re ahead.”

“Words of wisdom that should be heeded.”  Marie conveyed her forgiveness with a squeeze of Chris’ hand. 

The rest of the meal and the day passed with everyone poking fun at Chris at every opportunity.  He took it in good humor, knowing he deserved every second of it and more.  He was just afraid of what Marie was going to do to him when they were finally alone. 

***

Marie was putting another load of dishes in the dishwasher after everyone had finally gone to their own homes or back to their rooms at the hotel when Chris called out to her.

“Is it safe to come in yet?” 

She closed the dishwasher and pushed a button to start the cleaning cycle before she turned to lean against the sink.  “Only if you are on your hands and knees and waving a white flag.”

She heard the rustle of fabric before his bare arm extended around the doorway.  He had removed his white t-shirt and twirled it around as he crawled in.  Marie tried to hide a smile. 

He made his way to her and wrapped both his arms around her legs, causing her to lose her balance.  He cushioned her fall with his body before rolling her beneath him. 

“Forgive me?”  He pleaded with his bottom lip stuck out. 

With his arm under her head and her hair all tousled, he thought she had never been sexier.  She brought her hand up to rest against the side of his face.

“Did you really think that I would invite all those people here for a nice meal and not know how to cook?”

Chris dropped his head to her shoulder, “Is there a right way to answer that question?”  His words were muffled against her shirt. 

“Honestly is a good place to start.”  Her hands roamed over his bare back. 

He sighed deeply and lifted so he could look into her face.  “I don’t really know why, it seemed like a good idea at the time.  We’ve never talked much about cooking or anything and I didn’t want you to be embarrassed since I was the one that talked you into hosting this year.”

“And now what do you think?”

“Now – now I think you are an amazing cook and I will never doubt your abilities again.  Justin was right, women are smarter than men.”

They were both startled by another voice.  “That’s right, Justin was right and don’t you forget it.  Wait – let me hear you say it again.”  Justin entered the kitchen and saw them lying on the floor entwined.  “Oh sorry.  Jess forgot her purse so – anyway, I’ll just leave you two alone.  You really shouldn’t be on the floor like that Chris, you’re getting old, you may not be able to stand.”

Chris twisted and took off one of his shoes to throw it hard at Justin. 

“Alright, alright, I can tell when I’m not wanted…I’m leaving, but I’m serious about the whole floor thing.”  His voice trailed off as he left, the door shutting behind him with a bang. 

Marie flipped Chris quickly so his bare back was touching the cold floor as she straddled his waist.  “Nicely done,” Chris complimented as her hands journeyed over his chest on their way to his belt. 

“Thank you, but I do agree that we should move this to a more comfortable location.  She stood before Chris could stop her and reached a hand down to help him up. 

Once standing, Chris started to guide her toward their bedroom, until she pulled away and headed for the refrigerator.  “Where are you going?  I thought we were going to take this upstairs.”

She ducked her head inside for a moment and emerged with a sly grin.  “Oh we are, but I’ve decided that you still have to make it up to me and I want to play.”  She showed him the container of whipped cream she had retrieved from the fridge. 

Chris rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he nodded.  “Not only are you a wonderful cook, but you have the best ideas.  I like the way you think.”  His serious answer gave way to a mischievous look as she darted up the stairs.   

“Looks like my turkey trouble is over,” Chris grabbed some chocolate sauce and followed behind Marie.  “Happy Thanksgiving to me.”

 

End Notes:
I don't know why my mind works the way it does, but let me know what you thought.  Thanks for reading!!
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2254