It Only Takes a Spark by Mack_Attack22
Summary:

It's amazing what can take place in a span of 24 hours.

For my Secret Santa, Keediluv!


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Humor
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2011
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2011
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 5582 Read: 1002 Published: Dec 21, 2011 Updated: Dec 21, 2011
Story Notes:
I did my best to keep to your prompt, I hope you enjoy it!

1. It Only Takes a Spark by Mack_Attack22

It Only Takes a Spark by Mack_Attack22

December 2011

 “Gabby! Gabby, c’mere!”

Gabrielle lowered the newspaper she had been staring at for the past five minutes—the crossword puzzles were tougher than she remembered—and looked up at the ceiling at the sound of her name being called. Sighing, she slides her glasses from her face and carefully put them down on the kitchen table. She took the time to push back her chair carefully, making a sort of grating sound against the ground, before moving towards the stairs.

With each heavy footfall that got louder as she ascended the stairs her teeth clenched a little bit tighter until her jaw started to ache. She navigated down the long hallway which was filled with pictures moving in an opposite age progression order as she glided past the bedroom and went into the bathroom.

Gabrielle pushed open the door and crossed her arms over her chest and glared at the man who was currently sitting in a tub filled with bubbles. Ordinarily she would’ve laughed at the sight of her husband cheerfully playing with the bubbles much like a kid but he had rubbed her the wrong way just by opening his mouth.

“Josh, how many times do I have to tell you to stop screaming my name?” Gabrielle demanded. “You know I hate being called like a dog.”

JC’s eyes brightened in amusement as a devilish smirk graced his lips. “Don’t you like hearing your name come out of my mouth?” He teased. “’Cause I love it when mine comes out of yours.” His voice deepened into a husky drawl. He laughed merrily when he noticed the dark skin on her cheeks get darker as she blushed but the disgruntled expression never left her face. “Come and join me, Gabs. You need to relax.”

Gabrielle walked over to the large bathtub and knelt by it. She reached out and ran her fingers through their hair of her husband of eleven years. He closed his eyes at her touch and let out a soft moan when her fingernails scraped against his scalp. “I would, baby, but if I get in then I’d give into temptation…” she reached her arm into the water and grabbed at his cock and gave it a squeeze. JC grunted in response. “…then we’d be here for a while and we’d be late to meet up with our friends.” She pulled her arm from the water and shook the bubbles off of it. “’Sides, it took me ages to get into this dress and I’m not going to try and wiggle into it again.”

JC twisted his mouth to the side. He knew what Gabrielle was getting at without actually saying it. “Baby, for the last time, you’re perfect,” he told her.

“Yeah? So why is it that my perfect ass can’t fit into any decent dresses?”

“I like your ass, baby. It’s coupled along with the perfect set of child-bearing hips.”

Gabrielle smiled wryly. “No matter how many times you compliment it now’s not the right time for children, you know that.” JC pouted and Gabrielle let out her infamous giggle which was coupled with a light snort. She then leaned forward and gave him a quick kiss. “Now hurry up and get your ass out of here. I don’t want to be late.”

JC rolled his eyes. “We’re never late to anything. You have nothing to worry about.”

“Au contraire, Josh. There have been times that we were almost late because of your metrosexual ass.”

“I like to look good!”

“And I appreciate it; I just wished you wouldn’t take so long. You’re worse than I am!” Gabby reached into the water again and, quick as a whip, flicked bubbles and water at his face. At his protested she giggled again and backed away, reaching for a towel as she went to dry off her arm. She glanced down at her red dress to make sure she didn’t get any droplets on it. “I’ve laid your clothes out on the bed,” she told him. “No stripes this time. You looked like a walking talking poster for jail inmates the last time.”

“I liked that suit,” JC grumbled.

“I love you too, boo.”

Gabrielle closed the bathroom door behind her and went back downstairs. She checked to make sure her matching red heels were by the door before walking into the living room. They made her feet so uncomfortable that she didn’t put them on until the last minute. JC always said that she should wear flats if they hurt her feet so much but she fought against him time and time again. Being significantly shorter than him she wanted to make sure any picture they were in together didn’t seem like he was trying to kidnap her or something.

Gabrielle took the time to look around the heavily decorated living room. Christmas was her favorite time of year, nothing else could compare to the holiday that brought such joy and merriment to others. She only wished the spirit of Christmas was felt year ‘round. No one would say an ill word towards the ones they love and everyone would be significantly happier and accepting towards one another. Why must the happy holiday spirit only be confined to one day?

Gabrielle walked over to the large tree and gently touched every ornament that hung in her reach, quickly flashing back to the Christmases that they were presented on. The bright lights cast a golden glow across her features and seemed to fill her up with peace and content. This was how she liked to spend her Christmas, with her husband and their close friends. She couldn’t ask for a better time.

“Are you ready to go, baby?” JC asked. He slid his arms around her waist and pressed a warm kiss to her neck. “What’re you thinking about?” he whispered, gently rocking her.

“How I love Christmas,” Gabrielle replied, resting her hands on top of his. “It’s my favorite time of year.”

“I know,” JC replied. “It’s my favorite too, because I get to watch all of my favorite Christmas specials with my favorite girl.”

“Oh, you.” Gabrielle smiled and gave his hands a squeeze. “We should get going.”

“Yes, we’re leaving only to arrive ten minutes early. Wouldn’t want to be late for that,” JC teased, moving his hand to her lower back and walking her to the door.

“JC, I’m planning on wearing four inch heels. You wouldn’t want them to end up in an unpleasant place,” Gabrielle growled.

 

“I can’t believe my eyes! You actually came here early!?” Gabrielle commented in astonishment as she and JC approached a table near the back of the restaurant they had just arrived at. Their guest gave a very bright smile and stood as soon as she reached the table. “You actually beat me?”

“Uh oh, see what you started?” JC laughed as he smoothed down his tie with the palm of his hand. “Now she’s going to want to beat you back home. You know how competitive she gets.”

“Not like I can forget. She gets competitive when we play Dots,” Justin replied with a roll of his eyes. He flinched at her moving towards him and then gave a little laugh. “How are you, man?” Justin asked, turning to JC and giving him a big hug, lightly patting him on the back.

“I’m doing fine, doing fine. And yourself?” JC asked while pulling out Gabrielle’s chair and pushed her up to the table. He held his tie against his chest and sat down himself. He didn’t need to look over the menu, he and Gabrielle have come so often that he’s memorized what was on it and he tended to order the same thing.

“Everything’s going well,” Justin said while nodding a little.

“I’ll bet, Superstar,” Gabrielle commented. Justin blushed and smiled. “We saw your latest movie, In Time. It was fabulous. There were little parts where the pacing was a drag but the suspense made up for it. There were a few parts that weren’t believable but overall it’s enjoyable for a sci-fi/drama movie,” Gabrielle rambled.

Justin let out a little laugh. “Well, damn, JC, you got yourself a critic for a wife? How do you manage to create music?” He shook his head and reached for the water that had been set on the table. “Hell, how do you survive?”

“Very funny, Timberlake,” Gabrielle said with a wrinkled nose.

“It’s what I love about her,” JC said simply. He paused to kiss her cheek. “More than that. I love that she doesn’t keep her opinions to herself. I love that she’s outspoken but has good intentions about it.” He paused and added. “’Sides, if I didn’t love her for those reasons I wouldn’t have married her.”

Just let out a scoffing sound. “You married her after one date in the span of twenty-four hours. I’m still surprised you two have lasted this long. I’ve always thought it was a crazy idea.”

“The way we met was crazy. Our marriage was just another facet of that. It was a whirlwind, but a good whirlwind,” Gabrielle said as she turning her loving eyes to her husband. JC smiled and kissed her briefly.

Their conversation lulled as a waiter came up to take their order. Gabrielle and JC both chose their usual orders—grilled chicken, steamed vegetables and a side of strawberry chicken salad for Gabrielle while JC went with grilled chicken, sautéed mushrooms, and spinach—as Justin looked over the menu for a few minutes. He decided on the same thing as JC and took another sip of water as the trio began to catch up on each other’s lives.

Throughout the conversation Justin couldn’t help but notice the love that seemed to radiate between the two. He was amazed that they had lasted so long. He was ashamed to admit that he had a bet with Chris earlier in the year about who would last longer, Joey and Kelly or JC and Gabrielle. Justin lost ages ago but he wasn’t proud enough to give Chris the money that was owed. He just didn’t understand. They were so different but they worked so well together. While JC was quiet and reserved Gabrielle was loud and outgoing. While JC meticulously took his time with his work Gabrielle got a few projects done in the time it took him to do one.

“How do you two do it?” Justin suddenly asked, looking at the couple. “How do you two get married after one date and stay together for eleven years? How do you make it work?”

“You have to put effort into it,” JC replied with a shrug. “And you have to talk.”

“We’d be lying if we said we never fought,” Gabrielle agreed, reaching under the table to squeeze JC’s knee. “Everyone does, we just learn to communicate with each other and know when to drop a conversation and when it’s not worth it to get angry with each other.”

“That sounds like suspiciously like C,” Justin said with a laugh.

“If I pushed a subject that she didn’t want to talk about I know that Gabrielle would scream and fight and talk my ear off,” JC replied and shrugged. “Sometimes it’s not worth it.”

Justin let out a low whistle. “And to think this all started because you crashed into his car,” He said with a smile thrown in Gabrielle’s direction.

“That was the best day of my life,” JC stated.

###

January 2000

JC cursed when he pulled into L.A. traffic one morning. He should’ve been with the rest of his band mates in a van on their way to their rehearsals for their newest music video. It was going to accompany their first single, Bye Bye Bye, which was doing very well on the airwaves so he’s heard from Johnny. If he hadn’t overslept and ignored his alarm clock he would’ve been with them, practicing their vocal warm-ups—they found that it made lip-syncing easier to practice their vocal warm-ups as if they were about to do a show.

“C’mon, c’mon,” JC grumbled, tightening his grip on the steering wheel. He eased his foot off of the brake to roll forward a little bit only to have to press on it again. He knew traffic in L.A. was bad but this was ridiculous. He’d probably be able to read a book before he even got to rehearsals.

He reached out and turned on the AC, letting out a sigh of relief at the cool air that brushed his slightly damp skin. He didn’t know how he was going to survive dancing around in the heat, assuming they’d do something outside this time. Usually they were stuck on a soundstage and JC wanted to do something different with this video.

He reached over to the passenger seat where his bag was along with his cell phone and wallet and other important personal items. His fingers brushed his cell phone when he felt a hard bump from behind. His head swung forward but his seatbelt stopped him from moving any further.

“What the—?” JC looked up in the rearview mirror to see that the woman behind him had brought a palm up to her hand and let out a sigh. He motioned towards the side of the road before putting on his turning signal and pulled off onto the side of the road. “I don’t believe this,” he growled under his breath as soon as the engine shut off and he got out of the car. He stalked over to the back of the car and saw that it had been pushed in. Where one of the taillights had been was now an empty space for the glass had been smashed and left the light itself exposed.

“I’m so sorry!”JC whipped around to see the woman of the other car rushing towards him. Her dark skin popped against the tangerine colored tank-top she was wearing over dark shorts. Her bright brown eyes were wide with concern as she pushed her dark hair out of her face. “I…I was in a rush! Y’see, my sister’s having a baby and I’m trying to get there before the little bundle of joy gets here. I mean, I don’t exactly want to see my sister. Y’know, she’s kind of crazy and I can only imagine my niece and/or nephew is going to be just as if not more crazy than her. Why would I want to see her if she’s crazy, right? Well, she’d have my head if I weren’t there to help her through this birth. I’m a doctor, y’know, and I want to make sure she’s okay. I know, why wouldn’t I be the one helping deliver my own nice or nephew? Well, I wouldn’t want to be the one she reaches for when, y’know, she goes through contractions and all. I like my hair where it is, y’know?”

JC’s face was twisted in a look that was a mixture of confusion and amusement at the woman’s rambling. Her lips parted slightly and then she nodded rapidly, moving her hair out of her face some more. “I’m sorry, you probably didn’t want to be bothered with the details and the excuses,” she sighed. “Look, if I can just have your number or something we can talk about insurance and getting it fixed and everything.” Then she paused and snapped her fingers. “Better idea. You come with me to the hospital and we can get this whole thing sorted out once my sister has her baby.”

JC felt a little tired just by listening to her talk so much so quickly but he felt a new source of energy as well. “Miss, I don’t even know your name,” he said with a little laugh.

“Well look who’s all polite! It’s not ‘miss’, it’s Gabrielle,” she told him with a lift of her eyebrow. “Gabrielle Evans. And you are…?”

JC felt an electric jolt move through him at those words. It’s been so long—too long—when he had to be asked who he was. He was so used to everyone knowing who he was already that he was shocked that she didn’t know him. “Umm…I…I’m Josh,” he stammered slightly holding out his hand. It almost felt strange to him to say his own real name. He was so used to going by JC, his stage name of sorts, that being called ‘Josh’ by anyone but his family felt strange to him. However with Gabrielle he felt the need to be honest with her. He didn’t know why but he needed to be honest.

Gabrielle took his hand and gave it a firm squeeze. A power handshake if he’s ever felt one. “Nice to meetcha, Josh. Now, do you mind hurrying up? As I’ve stated before, I like my hair where it is.” When he didn’t move she sighed. “It'd be easier for you to get a tow-truck if you come with me to the hospital.”

“Er…yeah, right,” he agreed, his legs making him follow her to her car which was waiting with the hazard lights blinking. He pulled open the passenger side of the car and paused as she dived into the car from the driver’s side and scooped the pile of books off of it and tossed it into the back.

“You don’t know how long labor can take, I was just preparing myself,” she explained at the look on his face as she got in and buckled up. “You buckled?” She didn’t wait for him to answer as she peeled onto the highway which she was now free to drive down at high speeds. The next thing JC knew he was holding onto the side of the car for dear life as she drove to get to the hospital. He was beginning to wonder if getting into the car with her was a bad idea. But something about her had drawn him to her or else he would’ve listened to his own common sense and stayed with his car so a tow-truck would come.

About twenty minutes later they pulled into the parking lot of the hospital and Gabrielle jumped out of her car as if she were shot out of a canon and raced inside. JC followed her closely and waited as she talked to the receptionist to figure out where her family was.

“Okay, she’s in room 306,” Gabrielle told JC and then she, once again, started dashing away in a random direction to find the elevators. JC would’ve left her a long time ago and found a way to get back to his band mates but they hadn’t had a chance to talk about their insurance and their cars just yet. He felt like he was being held hostage the longer he ran around with her, but in a strangely pleasant way if that were at all possible. “I promise I’ll be out in a minute,” she said as she shoved her way into the hospital room.

As soon as the doors closed JC let out a little laugh and ran his fingers through his hair. “This is so crazy,” he muttered, turning and pacing a little bit. “I must be going crazy.”

“That’s all a matter of opinion, don’t you think?” A small voice asked. JC whirled around to see a little girl looking up at him with big green eyes and a wide smile. “People are crazy to different degrees, right?” She continued when he didn’t say anything. “I think my uncle’s crazy sometimes. Sometime he eats beets with his chicken.” She wrinkled her nose at the idea.

“I’d say he’s more brave than crazy,” JC replied, sitting down on a nearby bench.

“That’s what Mommy says,” the little girl said as she climbed up on the bench next to him. “But I’m not supposed to talk to strangers.” JC nodded and turned his head away. The little girl reached out and tugged on his sleeve, grabbing my attention again. “But if you tell me your name you won’t be a stranger,” she said with a gapped-tooth smile. JC felt his lips twitch when he saw that she was missing her front two teeth. “I’m Lizzie.”

“My name’s JC,” he told her.

“Hi JC!” She said happily. “Are you here visiting someone?”

“No, I got into a little accident with the lady that just went in there,” JC replied, pointing at the door that Gabrielle disappeared into.

“Miss Gabby. She comes to tutor me sometimes. I’m not too smart with math,” Lizzie explained while kicking her feet. “That’s why I need her help. She helps me get it. After her sister has her baby I’m going to her house to get more tutoring done.”

“I hope its fun for you,” JC told her. “I loved math when I was growing up.”

“Do you think Miss Gabby is pretty?” Lizzie suddenly asked, tilting her head in curiosity so her blond hair cascaded over her shoulder.

JC blinked and his mouth fell open in surprise. Lizzie sat still, waiting for his answer. “I, um, I don’t know. I just met her,” he told her.

Lizzie giggled. “That doesn’t mean you can’t think she’s pretty. I think she’s pretty. Very pretty. What about you, Mr. JC?”

“Lizzie, don’t bother the man,” Gabrielle scolded as soon as she came out of the room. Her brown hair was pulled back in a slick ponytail now and JC got a better look at her heart-shaped face. Her pouty lips were twisted into a frown directed at Lizzie.

“She wasn’t bothering me, Gabrielle,” JC told her. “I enjoyed talking to this little girl.”

“I’m not a little girl,” Lizzie pouted. “I’m seven and a half!”

“Your mother’s waiting in the cafeteria,” Gabrielle told her, tapping her foot. When Lizzie didn’t move Gabrielle sighed. “Don’t make me count to three, Liz,” she threatened. Lizzie stayed where she was. “One….two…” Gabrielle’s eyebrows rose when Lizzie still didn’t move. She moved her mouth to form the word ‘three’ when Lizzie jumped up and dashed down the hall. Gabrielle took her place on the bench. “Sorry about her,” Gabrielle apologized.

“No, it’s fine. I loved talking to her,” JC said with a smile.

“Yeah, she’s a trip,” Gabrielle said with a little laugh. “My family’s good friends with her family so she’s like a little sister to me. Every annoying little bit of her.”

“I know the feeling; I have a little brother and sister. Well, they’re not little so much anymore. Tyler’s studying to become a lawyer and Heather, well, she’s still trying to decide what she wants to do,” JC explained.

“Right,” Gabrielle said with a nod. “Now, about that insurance—“

“Would you like to get some coffee with me?” JC interrupted her.

Gabrielle blinked. “Umm….sure?” she replied, her eyebrows crinkling together. “Listen, Josh, about the car—“

“Let’s talk about that later,” JC interrupted her again.

“Now listen here, Josh. I crashed into your car. I want to get this whole thing settled and done with so you can go along your merry way and not have to worry about the stress that comes with it,” Gabrielle said firmly as she placed her hands on her hips.

“Yes, but wouldn't you rather get this over and done with so you can race right back to your crazy cousin?” JC asked, lifting his eyebrows. He didn’t want her to leave, not yet. He felt the strange urge to get to know her better and he wouldn’t leave the hospital until he did. “Think of it…as my way of rescuing you like you rescued me. I owe you one, don’t you think?” Gabrielle turned her eyes away from him and they shifted, not focusing on anything in particular as she thought. “Unless you want to go back in there…”

“Fine. But not coffee, it makes me jittery and, tell me, who’d want a jittery doctor? Apple cider?”

“I don’t think the hospital has that.”

Gabrielle grinned. “Then we’re going to have to find someplace else to do, aren’t we, Josh?”

 

“So, what kind of doctor are you?” JC asked before taking a sip of his hot chocolate. He and Gabrielle found a café that was a little ways away from the hospital so they could have a chance to talk but close enough so she could rush back to the hospital just in case.

“I’m a gynecologist,” Gabrielle replied, carefully blowing on the top layer of her cider.

“OB/GYN?” JC guessed.

She nodded. “How’d you know?”

JC shrugged. “Easy guess. First thing that comes to one’s mind when one says they’re a gynecologist.”

“Yup, I like deliverin’ babies,” Gabrielle said with a bit of a southern accent. “I think it stemmed from something my momma always said to me and Isabelle—my sister. Um…’Chiiiiil’, I brought you into this world and I can take your right back out’!” Gabrielle imitated her mother with a full on southern accent. She smiled and shook her head. “As soon as I was in high school it was when I knew that it was my dream.”

“Bringing children into the world?” JC asked.

She shook her head. “Close, but no cigar. I mean being a mother. Helping bring children to their mothers I feel is preparing me for when I finally become a mother.”

“How many kids do you want?”

“As little as one or as many as seven.”

JC nearly choked on his hot chocolate. “Seven?” He repeated.

“Yes,” Gabrielle replied confidently. “Both my momma and daddy came from big families and I only have my sister. I want my kids to have a lot of brothers and sisters so they always have someone to play with. What about you? Ever think of having kids?”

JC shrugged. “Kinda, sorta,” he replied. “I haven’t really thought that far ahead into my future.”

Gabrielle leaned back in her chair. “Typical male,” she taunted with a smile.

JC smirked. “Let me guess, you’ve thought of your dress, the venue, and your food for the big day, haven’t you?”

“Oh, but of course, JC. After all, that’s what women think about every single day as soon as they come out of the womb,” Gabrielle said with a roll of her eyes. “Alright then, Bubba. What’re you looking for in a woman?”

“I’m looking for someone who can understand the demands of my career and be supportive. Realizing that eventually the sacrifice will pay off. Someone who’s kind and generous, patient and forgiving…and a sense of humor would be nice,” JC replied.

Gabrielle scoffed. “You’re looking for a woman, not ordering something off of the McDonald’s dollar menu!”

JC stuck out his tongue and asked, “What’re you looking for in a man?”

“What makes you think I’m looking for a man?” Gabrielle questioned, lifting her eyebrows.

“Isn’t everyone looking for someone?” JC shot back.

“No,” Gabrielle replied. “But, if I was looking for a man who can understand the demands of my career and be supportive. Realizing that eventually the sacrifice will pay off. Someone who’s kind and generous, patient and forgiving…and a sense of humor would be nice,” Gabrielle finished with a little wrinkle of her nose.

“So are you looking for someone?” JC asked.

Gabrielle laughed. “Isn’t everyone looking for someone?” She reached for her mug and downed the rest of her drink, squeezing her eyes a bit at the slight burn that was left on her tongue. She then leaned forward to rest her elbows on the table and her chin in her hands. “I have to say that this is the most interesting conversation I’ve had in a while,” she admitted. “Especially with someone who’s as big as you are.”

JC faltered and almost dropped his mug. “Some as big as…?” He repeated slowly. His heart sank. It sank further than he expected it to sink. “You knew?”

“That you’re JC Chasez, 1/5 of, arguably, the world’s most popular and successful boy band?” Gabrielle replied then she let out a giggle that was interrupted few times by a snort. “Josh, I tutor a seven-year-old. Of course I knew who you were.”

“But…when we met…” JC blinked rapidly thinking back to when she had accidentally hit him with her car.

“I couldn’t hit you and then freak out like your little fans now could I?” Gabrielle replied. “’Sides, if I let you know that I knew who you were I was afraid you’d think I was only after getting money from you for the crash when that wasn’t my intention at all.”

“Then what was your intention?” JC asked, his eyes full of curiosity.

“Sometimes people need saving from the things that make them happy,” Gabrielle replied. “I’ve been through it quite a few times. With the tumultuous year you and your band was having I just assumed you’d need saving as well.”

“So you bashed into me on purpose?” JC asked with a smile tugging at his lips.

Gabrielle gave a wink. “You’re welcome,” she replied with a grin so wide he was sure he could count every single one of her pearly white teeth, which stood out in beautiful contrast to her dark skin. “It’s been a crazy day, hasn’t it?” She asked, filling the silence that stretched out between them.

“Yeah,” JC agreed, his voice filled with astonishment. He looked down at his hands and then looked back up at her, his heartbeat stronger than it had been before. He was sure it would beat itself right out of his chest and bash him over the head until he did something. He couldn’t ignore it. “It’s about to be a bit crazier,” he said slowly as a plan formed in his mind. “If you’re up for a little more craziness, I mean.”

Gabrielle shrugged. “I could always go for a little more excitement, Josh.”

###

December 2011

“So you two end up flying to Vegas and get married and come back in time for you to see the birth of your niece while this fucker over here waltzed into rehearsal late as if he hadn’t a care in the world,” Justin finished the story with a shake of his head and an incredulous laugh. “Why did you decide to go along with marrying him, Gabs?”

Gabrielle gave him a knowing smile and responded, “Because I knew that there was something special about him that only I could see. To me he wasn’t JC, the singer; to me he was Josh, a man who needed to be rescued. Little did I know I needed to be rescued as well.”

“From what?” Justin asked.

“From the normalcy of my life,” Gabrielle replied. “So…we helped each other out that day.”

“And you two fell in love…after meeting one time?” Justin inquired.

“Yup,” JC replied with a big smile.

“And your parents were fine with his?”

“Mine weren’t, no.”

“Because she’s African-American?”

“No,” JC laughed, his eyes crinkling in the corners. “Because I hadn’t told my mom right after it happened. You remember, I waited about a year before telling her the truth. I think I still have a lump on my head from my punishment for that one.”

Justin slowly shook his head. “Wow,” he whispered. “I just can’t believe it. I can’t believe a relationship like that has lasted and gotten stronger over the years.” He paused and pursed his lips. “C, I have to say that I’m jealous of you. All I’ve ever wanted…was to have a family of my own. A wife that would stand proudly by my side with any endeavor I tried and me for her. But I feel like…something’s always been holding me back or messing up any relationship I had.”

Gabrielle pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear, one of her dangling earrings shook slightly at the movement. “Y’know, Justin, maybe you’re the root of your own troubles,” she said slowly, looking at him as if she were trying to pick his brain. “I feel like you won’t let yourself be happy. Because of a past mistake, maybe? All will be well once you forgive yourself for God has already forgiven you. He’s not punishing you, y’know. You are.”

Justin looked at her, clearly shocked at what she had just said. JC, meanwhile, smiled and kissed the side of her head. “That’s my girl,” he whispered as Gabrielle smiled under his touch.

“Would you two…excuse me for a minute?” Justin asked, putting his napkin down.

“Justin, I didn’t intent to upset you,” Gabrielle told him in a panicked tone.

Justin gave a half smile. “You didn’t. You’ve helped me, Gabs. Really. I’ll be right back.” He pushed away his chair and walked in the direction of the bathroom, stopping at the small hall that lead to the two separate doors for the bathroom. He took a few deep breaths and mentally told himself that it was just a phone call and that it didn’t mean anything and that he shouldn’t be so nervous. Finally he pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number that he was amazed he hadn’t forgotten. He lifted his phone to his ear and waited as it rang. Just when he was sure that it would go to voicemail someone picked up the other line.

“Hello?”

Justin’s heart skipped a beat at the voice of the answerer and he let out a little breath. Suddenly—in that moment—he knew that everything would turn out okay.

“Hey Britney, it’s me.”

End Notes:
I hope you all liked the twist ending! I almost cried writing it. Oh, and a small bit of dialogue in here belongs to the creators and writers of 7th Heaven. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone!
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2281