Snowflakes On My Heart by kasia87
Summary:

 For my secret santee MusicMel! I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed writing it for you. 

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays!! 

Andrea Baxter lives a fast paced life as a concert promoter, leaving her no time at all for anything Christmas. When former lover Justin Timberlake stops in before the holiday, a few interesting things make her see Christmas in another light. 


Categories: Challenges Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Celebrity/Celebrity, Drama, General, Romance
Challenges: *NSYNC Fiction Secret Santa 2010 , *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2011
Challenges: *NSYNC Fiction Secret Santa 2010 , *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2011
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 7804 Read: 987 Published: Dec 24, 2011 Updated: Dec 24, 2011

1. Chapter 1 by kasia87

Chapter 1 by kasia87
Author's Notes:




Snow. So much snow. It was coming down like crazy. The forecast for the next three days or so was suppose to be nothing but snow.

Damn, it’s cold. I think as I dig for my keys in the bottom of my purse. I’m beginning to lose feeling in my fingers. I stomp my feet a few times to get my blood flowing and turn the key to my apartment balancing an armful of groceries. I had done some last minute shopping in a rush to beat the snow and the rush of people at the grocery store was more than I could currently handle. Snow whips around my ankles as I shut the door and sighed.

New York winters are brutal. And I was just learning this. Me, being the Florida girl at heart, I had a hard time adjusting to this “snow” stuff, but New York officially had my heart. I could handle the “City that Never Sleeps,” since I can confess to being a bit of an insomniac myself, but this city was a little crazier at Christmas.

Bell ringers in front of Macys, carolers on every corner, shopping mall Santas and elves were all over the place. I couldn’t believe it.

December had come quickly, leaving me to wonder where the other 11 months of the year had gone to. It always seemed that way. I could hear Christmas carols being sung by a group of people down the street. It almost made me want to join them. Almost. But it was far too cold for that tonight. Christmas was less than a week away.

Music is my entire life. It runs through my veins. So it’s probably no surprise that I work as a music promoter for the ever so famous Johnny Wright. I’ve been working with him for over six years. It was a very tough gig to land, but I had made the cut, and he kept me around. Sometimes it felt like a crime to be paid for something I love doing so much.

I was pretty well known for my promotion skills as well. My parents had always told me, “Andrea Baxter, go out in the world and make something of yourself. Don’t ever be afraid to be successful.”

And I had made something of myself. Top-of-my-game successful. I was pretty proud of my glossy business cards, and “on-the-go” lifestyle. I just had trouble slowing it down every once in a while.

I was currently working with an artist that was going to headline two nights at Madison Square Gardens and a one night gig at Radio City Music Hall. Huge deal with huge venues for a huge artist meant huge profits. I wasn’t going to complain.

My pug Mick greets me happily. Yes he’s named after Mick Jagger, but I also called him Mickey sometimes.

“Hey boy,” I say and lean down to scratch his ear. He follows me eagerly as I slip off my coat and toss him a treat.

I hum to myself as I made myself something warm to drink. Maybe a mug of rich peppermint cocoa would give me some holiday cheer. I go to my kitchen and look for a mug.

Christmas was always such a wonderful time. I was suppose to be born in December and my parents were going to name me Holly. That didn’t happen since I was born November instead. But Christmas was always a big thing in my house. The lights, music, and carols were all special.

Now that I had a career, it was harder to do anything at all. My office is covered in pictures with the various artists I’ve worked with. Everyone from Aerosmith to Britney Spears. In my eyes, I had made it.

My little tree in the corner was seriously pathetic. Even Charlie Brown’s looked better. I had a massive one hidden away somewhere in a closet. But I simply didn’t have the time. A stack of Christmas cards were lined up on my fridge. My family would be lucky if the newspaper that their gifts would be wrapped in this year was even remotely current. I made mental note to take advantage of one of those wrapping stations at the mall where you can give a donation and they’ll wrap your gifts. I was just too busy. Sooner or later the 70+ hours a week at this job would kill me.

But I love every moment.

I settle onto the couch with some paperwork for upcoming shows and my laptop. Mick snuggles up next to me. I scratch his ear as I click through my e-mail.

A moment later, my phone rang with a number I didn’t recognize. Not too uncommon though since I work with so many different venues. I rack my brain trying to figure out who it could be calling this late at night.

“Hello?” I scroll though a list of e-mails absentmindedly.

“You’d better be home, because it’s cold out here and I’m coming up,” the voice rang when I answer.

I choke on my cocoa. That unmistakable Southern drawl. It couldn’t be.

“What? Yes I’m home.” I answer, a little bewildered. I had just spilled cocoa all over my dress shirt.

“I’ll be there in three seconds.” His voice rings in my ears.

I jump again when a knock came on my door. Mick leaps off the couch and runs to the door. My heart races

What was he doing here?

I open the door and couldn’t believe he was standing in front of me.  

“Hi,” I say, peeking my head out from behind the door.

I hadn’t seen him in a while, but he hadn’t changed a bit. Same boyish good looks, and those blue eyes of his still sparkled.

He was bundled up in his black wool coat and navy blue scarf. Wisps of blonde hair peeked out from underneath a black hat.

I had to catch my breath for a moment.

“Andrea.”

“Justin, come in,”  I say. He pulled me into a hug and I shiver. “It’s been a while.”

He smiles and I almost melt. “I know. It’s getting cold out there. I’m sorry about dropping in like this. I’ve been trying to catch you. I heard you’re working on the Madison Square Gardens show on the 19th of next month, and my show is the week after.”

Of course, I already knew this, but I’d been focused on not focusing on that. I wasn’t avoiding him, I was just running around for my job. I’d seen him in passing from time to time at the venues.

Mick sniffs him all over and follows at his heels. I watch as he tries to climb up Justin’s leg.

“Oh...,” I say, walking into the kitchen. “Mick, stop it. Let me take your coat. Can I get you something to drink? Coffee?”

“Sure,” he replies, taking a seat at my kitchen counter. He pulls my dog into his lap and scratches his head. “How’s everything been? You work for my manager, but I never get to see you anymore.”

I smile as I made coffee and quickly look through my groceries on the counter. Darn, forgot cookies. Not even a random Christmas cookie. No cookies at all.

“Oh you know how it is. I’ve been running around scheduling shows for the next half a year.”

His eyes go to the piles of paperwork on my coffee table and back to me. “Busy girl?

I nod and point to my tattered notebook. “43 different shows. Understatement of the year.”

He looks out the window for a moment. “I’m sorry for showing up out of the blue like this... but I’ve been thinking about you.”

I stop a little bit taken back by what he’d said. I’d be lying if I said I’d never thought about him.
We had dated on and off over two years. But life quickly swept both of up and our romance fell to the side.

You could say I was to blame for the demise, but we both took it upon ourselves.

He embarked on touring duties and I had just been assigned to promote another artist. It pained both of us at the time and we threw ourselves separately into our work.

“Still two sugars and a little cream right?”

“You remember how I take my coffee. What a girl,” he smiles and looks at the Christmas cards on my fridge.

“Of course I remember. I only made you coffee everyday for at least a year. You’ve been busy, huh?” I said handing him a mug. “You’re just about everywhere I look. TV, magazines, movies, and everything else in between.”

He laughs and it brings me back to when we were together. “Yeah, sorry about that.”

“No, you’ve done well for yourself. I’m really proud of you.” I reaches over and places my hand on his. I go to pull away when I realise what I’m doing, but he’s too quick.

“Thanks,” he says, lacing his fingers in mine. He squeezes it tightly.

I have the urge to pull away yet again, but his eyes draw me in.

Mick suddenly growls because he’s no longer getting the attention that he was getting a moment ago.

“Sorry. Me and my demanding dog. Mickey, get down.” I command, but he turns his little pug snout up and continues to demand attention from Justin.

“It’s okay. Right boy?” Justin scratches his belly and he curls up in his arms even more.

“Well, now you’ve got him wrapped around your little finger, Justin.”

His laugh makes me weak in the knees all over again, but I’m certainly not about to let him see that.

I stir creamer into my coffee and discreetly look him up and down as he plays with Mickey. He looks nice. He’s dressed in a light blue dress shirt, baby blue satin tie, and a blue sweater.

God did I love it when he wore blue. It brought out his eyes so much. Especially with his slight facial hair.  

What am I doing? I shake the thoughts from my head.

“You’re all dressed up?”

He sips his coffee. “Yeah I had a meeting with Johnny tonight. You’d think they could wait, this close to Christmas and all.”

“Really? I didn’t see it on the schedule. Yeah that is cutting it close.. Are you going to see your mom for Christmas?”

He nods. “Suppose to fly out late tonight. You know, she asked about you last time I was home.” He scratches his chin and smiles.

I’m a little shocked. “About me? What would your mother possibly ask about me?”

“My mother loves you! She still asks about you all the time. But since I never see you anymore, I can’t tell her anything! How’s my all time favorite promoter?”

“J, I don’t even promote you anymore!” I laugh. “Johnny keeps me on my toes. So much that I’ve completely forgotten that Christmas is five days away.” I shake my head and look at my calender.

He nods and sips his coffee. “Johnny’s a tough act to work for. You sing and dance... literally and figuratively.”

“Oh how you speak the truth, Mr. Timberlake.”

A moment later, his phone goes off. “Speak of the devil, Mr. Wright.” He flashes the screen in my direction.

He gets up to take the call and I cringe. When Johnny Wright calls, it’s usually big. He chats for a few minutes and walks to the doorway of my office. I can see him thinking about something and a moment later he motions to me for a pen.

I toss him one, he jots something down quickly and ends the call. “Right before Christmas, business calls.”

He looks at the clock in the kitchen. “And if I don’t leave soon, I won’t make it to the airport. Flying out to Tennessee tonight is a pain in the ass.”

“Dang. Tonight?” He nods.

“I had really better get going. I have to make a stop at home before the airport,” he says and I grab his coat. “Thanks for the coffee.”

“Anytime, Justin. I’m glad you stopped over.” He pulls me into a hug. “Have a safe trip and tell your mom Merry Christmas from me.”

“Of course I will.”

He bundles up and I walk to the door with him. He opens the door and the wind catches it. Mick runs outside for a split second and returns even faster than he’d left. Snow blows in from every direction and I brace myself in the door frame and pull it shut. I turn around to face him and we exchange glances.

“No way. You’re not driving home in this,” I say, shaking snow from my hair.

“No, it’ll be fine,” he insists.  “It’s just picked up a little bit.”

I look out the window. “ A little bit? Justin, don’t be stupid. There’s like zero visibility out there. You are not driving to the airport,” I say firmly.

“Hang on,” he says. I watch him run outside and literally disappear into the white. He runs to his car, gets in and starts it up. His windshield wipers can’t keep up with the rate of snow fall.

He races back into my apartment nearly slipping in the doorway. “Okay, I could probably make it  if I drive like less than five miles an hour.”  

Mick barks at Justin and his furry little body shakes from the cold. I pick him up and he shakes his coat. “Justin, be reasonable.”

He sighs and pulls out his cell phone. “I am being reasonable! I’ll just have to call and have someone pick me up.”

I put my hand on my hip and give him a confused look. “Because sending someone out here in this weather is much smarter,” I say with sarcasm. “You’re not going anywhere, Timberlake.”

“Andrea ,” he starts. “I have a flight to Tennessee. It’s way too much trouble. ”

“Again,” I say. “Not smart. Besides, I have a guestroom. Please, it’s not any trouble.”

He wipes the frost from the window. “It can’t be that bad out there. It’s just starting up, and I could probably make it.”

He goes for the door again but I grab his hand and pull him back into the apartment.

“You’re crazy, girl.”

“No. Not crazy. Just practical. I knew the weather was suppose to get nasty, but this is insane.” I pull back the curtain on the window and realize its completely iced over. “Ice. Ice means dangerous roads. You’re definitely not going anywhere. They’ll probably cancel all incoming and outbound flights. Look at it outside!”

He switches on the television in my kitchen and I can hear the weather man mention “Severe winter storm warnings for our viewing area with very limited visibility. Wind speeds of ...”  The television anchor goes on and on. “JFK International Airport is cancelling all flights for the night and part of tomorrow...”

“See. Told you,” I say, tapping my fingers on the windowsill.

“Shit... that’s not good at all. I gotta make a phone call.” He pulls out his cell phone and I hear him talking in the hallway. “Yeah I know it’s snowing! Do you know who I am? I have to make it to Tennessee. You will fly in this snowstorm!”

Laughter overcomes me. “That’s right,” I mouth to him, “Justin-Fucking-Timberlake.”

He switches off the cell phone a moment later and sighs heavily.

“No luck? Somebody’s not getting their frequent flier miles after that conversation!”

He shakes his head. “Yeah they’re suppose to call me with the rescheduled flight. Damn. Andrea, I feel really bad right now. Are you sure this is okay? I can still get a hotel room.”

“Don’t worry about it Justin. It’s not a problem.” Mick barks and his little tail wags, making his entire body shake. “Plus, I think Mick’s fallen in love with you.”

“You’re a doll. I’m falling in love with Mick here too. I had no idea the weather was going to get this bad.”

“Well,I guess that makes two of us.” I smile as he takes off his coat again.  

He rubs his hands together as if trying desperately to warm them up. I see him eye the fireplace in my living room. “Can I start this thing, Andrea?”

“Go for it. There are gas logs over there.” I walk to my kitchen. “Are you upset J?”

He throws the logs into the fireplace and turns the key. “It’s Christmas. Snow storm was not on schedule. Flight to Tennesee was on the schedule.”

“Sometimes as much as you plan and plan, things will always fall in the way.”

“I think I have some things in my car, though.” He bundles up and runs out once more. I watch out the window as he digs in his trunk and pulls out a carry on bag. He’s talking on his phone when he comes back in.

“Stuck in New York. Yeah. I’ll be in tomorrow, Mom,” he says as he opens the door and snow blows in. Shaking his head in disappointment, he ends the call.

“I’m sorry, Justin. But, now that we’re in for a while, how about something a little stronger to drink? I’ve got just about everything.” I go to the cabinet with all the liquor and he comes up behind me a moment later. “Beer? Wine? Hard Liquor? I have it all.”

He studies my selection. “Damn. You do have everything. What did you throw a party and forget to invite me?”

“Hardly. Everyone seems to gift me alcohol around this time of the year. Don’t ask why, I just get more wine and liquor than any person should.”

He studies the label on a bottle of red wine. “This is really good stuff. But you haven’t even touched it.”

I open a kitchen drawer and hand him a corkscrew. “Well then open it, J. Go for it. It was a gift from a client and if you don’t open it, it’ll never be opened. Let me go see if I can find you some clothes to change into. I’m sure your shirt and tie are getting uncomfortable.”

“Well, I have some, but if you have a sweatshirt or something.”

“I can do that.”

I walk into my bedroom and look for some clothes for him. I can hear him searching for the wine glasses in the kitchen.

“Top right cabinet, J,” I call, and switch on the lights.

“So Andrea, what’s with the twig you’re calling a Christmas tree in your living room?” his voice calls from the hallway.

“What? Oh, that. I have a full tree, but I don’t have the time to put it up. I am way too busy for Christmas.”

“Too busy for Christmas? I call bullshit.” He walks into the bedroom after me and hands me a glass of wine. “Where is it?”

“Where is what?”

“Your tree?”

I sift through a drawer looking for a sweatshirt for him, only half listening. “In that closet over there.”

Before I get another word in, he crawls into the back of my closet and is pushing out a cardboard box. Mick crawls in after him and barks.

“Justin, what the hell are you doing?”

“We’re stuck here, aren’t we? We are putting up this tree!” He disappears again and pulls out a second box into the hallway. “Is this tree in two parts?”

I nod with a smile. “It’s huge. I can’t have a real one because Mickey will eat the needles. Are you sure you want to do this?”

“Yep! My mom’s tree was already up when I went home last time. I haven’t got to do this in a while, you know. My decorator always puts mine up. Come on, let me have this much holiday fun.”

His blue eyes plead with me, and I can’t say no. Those eyes of his have gotten me into trouble before. Although it’s not that outlandish a request either. I simply haven’t had the time to put up anything.

“Okay, okay. I don’t have a decorator, but if it makes you this happy. I’m warning you, though. I have more ornaments than a Hallmark store. My mom gave me just about everything when I moved out here.”

“The more the merrier, right?,” he says, pulling out another box marked “CHRISTMAS”.

“Sure, but before you tear up everything and get filthy, go change.” He grabs his clothes from his bag and the sweatshirt from my hands.

“Thanks.”

He goes to the bathroom and pulls off his sweater. The door is open and I watch him curiously from the hallway as he fidgets with his tie.

“Enjoying the show? This ain’t free, lady,” he laughs and shuts the door. He emerges a moment later. “Never mind. Will you help me with this? I can’t undo my tie.”

I walk into the bathroom with him as he pulls at his neck. He’s always been too tall, and I’m only a modest 5’4. One more fabulous reason to wear heels.

Hopping up on the sink, I gently loosen his collar and slide his tie off. “There you go.”

“Thanks,” he says, his eyes locking with mine. He brushes a stray hair out of my face and studies me up and down for a second. “You look good Andi.”

I smile. “You know, no one’s ever called me that, but you.”

He looks a little shocked by what I’ve just said. “Oh. Is that a bad thing? I’m sorry, Andrea. You’re all professional now, Miss Andrea Baxter.”

“No, it’s fine, Justin. I like it when you call me Andi.”

“Note taken,” he says and gives me a hug.

I inhale and can smell his cologne. It’s almost intoxicating. His hand brushes my neck and he lifts my chin to look into my eyes. “I’ve missed you,” he says quietly.

I don’t know what to say.

“I’m going to go change my clothes,”  I whisper, and sneak off to my bedroom.

I pull off my cocoa stained shirt and search for something comfortable. I settle for a black pair of sweats and a long sleeved t-shirt. I throw my brown curls into a pony tail.

Looking in the mirror, I exhale. This is ridiculous.

I could’ve said, “I missed you too. I’ve spent nights thinking about what went wrong.”

But I’m just going to make the best of this. For the sake of the season.

“Okay,” he says, clapping his hands together as I walk into the hallway. “Tree time. We’re gonna need popcorn.”

I cock an eyebrow. “Popcorn? Justin, I’ll be honest with you. I’ve never put popcorn on a Christmas tree in my entire life.”

He shakes his head disapprovingly. “Well, there’s a first time for everything, I guess. You have popcorn right?”

I go to the kitchen and search for a jar of popcorn. “Will this work?”

“Well, I was expecting the microwave stuff, but that will more than work.” I hand him some cooking oil and he pours the kernels into the pan.

“So. Was this really a spur of the moment visit? Not that I mind or anything.” I lean against the counter and bite my lip.

He shakes the pan on the stove and smiles. “Yes. It was. I’m not lying when I say I’ve been thinking about you, though.”

“So...why now?” I hop up on the counter and watch him move around my kitchen.

He doesn’t look up from the stove. “I’ve always seemed to think of you at Christmas. We spent a lot of our Christmases together. And it didn’t feel right the last few years.”

“Justin, we were in a relationship back then.”

“A relationship that was falling apart because we couldn’t handle it. I’ve seen it all fall apart when one person’s a workaholic. It’s even worse when it’s both.”

He was right. And that has been the two of us. I chased my career to have my glossy business cards and frequent flier miles. And he wasn’t about to say it, but I broke his heart, and my own for the sake of my job.

He continues to talk as the popcorn begins to heat up. I’m barely listening because I’m terrified of what he’s about to do to my kitchen.

“Justin,” I start and move around him to get to the stove.

“No, Andi, I’m just.”

I interrupt him again and leap off the counter.

“Justin, cover the popcorn,” I say quickly, but it’s too late as the kernels fly out of the pan in every direction. Mick runs all around the kitchen chasing it and barking until it’s too much for his little system to handle.

I quickly move around him, clamp the lip on the pot and we both burst into hysterical laughter.

“You’re going to give my dog a heart attack and burn down my kitchen at the same time!”

“Okay, scratch the popcorn,” he says, still laughing. “We’ll just have to eat the rest of it. Sorry little guy.”

Mickey trembles at his feet.

He pours the rest of it into a bowl for us, scoops up my shaky dog and I grab the broom.

After sweeping up all the stray popcorn, I go to my closet and pull out a green plastic tote marked Christmas decorations. There are so many in my narrow closet that I don’t really know which ones to even pull out.

Justin starts to pull the tree out of the box when Mick runs into the box in front of him. He pulls out my barking dog and Mick has a string of bells in his mouth.

I disappear into the closet to figure out what is in all my boxes.

He comes up behind me. “You could have your very own Christmas village in your own living room.”

I lean against the doorway and turn around to face him. “I do. An entire lighted Christmas city.”

He laughs and helps me drag a few of the totes into the living room.

“Where do you want this, Andi?” He grabs a living room chair and begins to set up the tree.

I bite my lip and watch him nervously. “In that corner’s just fine. Justin, just please don’t hurt yourself. I don’t want to be responsible if you fall and we have to visit the ER because you’ve electrocuted yourself or something. In a snowstorm no less!”

“I’m good! I’ve got this. I wouldn’t hold you responsible anyways,” he says with a smile and adjusts the branches.  

“I didn’t realize I had this much Christmas...crap in here.” I laugh to myself.

“No crap in here. Lights, ornaments, stockings, all kinds of stuff in here.” He plugs in a string of white lights and examines them.

I uncover one of the totes filled with ornaments and watch as Justin’s eyes search curiously around the box.

“You really weren’t kidding about the whole ‘Hallmark Store’ reference, huh?” He pulls out a Santa hat, places it on his head and picks up a single ornament box.

“I told you so. A little overwhelming. But the ornaments at our house always had a significance.” I pull out a small gold grand piano ornament. “Dad bought me this one when I mastered my piano concerto in high school. First place ratings that year. I have a set of music note ornaments from him too.”  

“That is so cool. So there’s like a story with all of these?” He picks up another ornament. “What about this one?”

I take it out of his hands “1997.  

He pulls a longer box out of the tote and opens it up. “The twelve days of Christmas. In ornaments? Impressive, Andi.”

“Yep,” I answer as he hands me “the partridge in a pear tree.” He begins to sing a moment later as he hands me the “two turtle doves” and continues until he’s at the “12 drummers drumming.”

“And a partridge in a pear tree!”  I place the last one on the tree.

“I’ve never heard anyone beatbox the 12 Days of Christmas.” He grins and continues to sing.

He opens another box and finds a bone ornament and another ornament that has an uncanny resemblance to Mick. “Aww,” he says as it twirls in his hands.

“I got those last year when I adopted Mickey.” His little claws click against the hardwood at the mention of his name.  “Dogs are suppose to mean faithfulness, because they’re faithful to their owner. And Mick’s always been there for me. He has a stocking in here somewhere too. I swore I was going to put him on my Christmas cards this year.”

“What a lucky little dude. All that attention from Andi.” Mick comes over to him and Justin scratches him behind the ear.  

I unwrap an ornament in blue tissue paper and find my ceramic owl. “Oh! From when I graduated college. You know, owls and wisdom. Kinda cheesy I guess.”

There are ornaments with dates on them, inscriptions from my parents and other family members. Justin studies all of them carefully as he hands them to me to put on the tree.

He looks through the box, then back up at me and his eyes dart back and forth. “No way. There’s no way,” he says as his eyes light up. He pulls out a white round bulb and holds it in his hands. “Explain yourself please?”

My face reddens and I begin to laugh. “Oh boy. You really don’t remember, do you?”

He flips the bulb around and the five faces of N Sync are printed on the bulb. “Am I suppose to remember?”

“1999. Remember we all did a secret Santa exchange that year. Chris had me, and I had Joey. Chris told me it’s so you could watch guys could watch me from my tree.”

He chuckles and looks down at the ornament. “Yeah, that definitely sounds like Chris. Crazy how time flies.”

“Mhmm,” I murmur. I pull out another box and quickly look up at him. “Remember this?”

I pull out a small framed ornament adorned with holly leaves and hand it to him. The picture inside the frame is of Justin and I.

“Wow. You kept this? That was a few years later. From the record company Christmas party, right?” He looks over the picture again.

“That’s right. I distinctly remember JC and Joey having to carry me home after I had a few too many cocktails.”

“And I wasn’t far behind you, either.” He leans back against the wall and smiles.

“No, you weren’t. You were singing Jingle Bells at the top of your lungs!” We both laugh at the memory.

“Hey, you’re the one who threw up in Chris’ car that night!”

I put my hand up in defense. “Accident. I swear he’s never forgiven me for that either!”

We unpack some more ornaments and with every one I put up on the tree, Justin asks, “What about this one? Is there a story behind this one?”

It’s almost too cute for me to handle. He seems so interested as I explain the ornaments.

He opens yet another ornament box and his face twists in confusion. “Andi... what the hell... is this?”

I laugh out loud as he holds the ribbon on the ornament gingerly. “That, my dear Justin, is a Christmas pickle.”

“A Christmas pickle.” He repeats it slowly as if he doesn’t believe me. The ornament is, simply put, a green glass pickle.

“You’re suppose to put that one on the tree last. And the first person to find the pickle on Christmas morning is suppose to have the best luck for the next year.”

His eyes light up. “Oh that pickle is so mine!”

He jumps up excitedly and scans where to put it on the tree.

I giggle uncontrollably. “Well, it doesn’t count if you’re the one who puts it there!” He looks a little dejected as I figure out what goes where on the tree.

“I think I need another set of lights Justin. Sorry, babe.” I scan the totes and cannot find what I’m looking for. I go to the closet and pull out another tote and search through the boxes.

“What are you looking for?” he asks as I pull boxes from the closet.

‘Um... these ornaments.”

“There are only ornaments everywhere, Andi. They’re not out here?”

I shake my head. “No. These are sort of special. They were a gift from my parents and we’ve been collecting them since before I was born.”  

“Oh,” he replies. “Let me help you.”

I open yet another clear tote and find exactly what I was looking for.

”Found them!”

A long silver box marked Andersen Crystal in script-like lettering sits in front of me.

“What are they?” he asks looking over my shoulder.

I run my hand over the shiny lettering. “I’ve always had a thing for snowflakes. Since every snowflake is different, this company come out with a new ornament every year.”

I sit back for a moment and realize I’ve been so busy that I haven’t even looked for the Andersen snowflake for this year. It would probably be impossible to find now. “The crystal in these is amazing. They’re always so expensive, but once we started the collection, it’s hard to stop.”

I pull off the silver top and my heart falls. Between the delicate tissue paper, I see glass shards lining the box.  

“Oh my god. No... how did this happen?” Panic washes over me as I pull out bits of glass. With each piece of shattered glass, my own heart shatters a bit more.

“Oh my god,” Justin says a little shocked. “That’s awful! Are any of them not broken?”

I keep pulling out glass and shake my head. “Oh my god, I really don’t think so... I.... “

I’m at a complete loss for words. He puts his hand on my shoulder gently.

“Calm down... Let’s see what we can do with these.” He takes the box out of my hands and looks them over.  

“Calm down? Those are practically priceless. They’re so rare... Those are like all my Christmases rolled into 35 ornaments. I could cry right now.”

I see him thinking about what to say. “Maybe we could contact the company...I don’t know what to tell you Andi...”

“I’ve got a box worth at least a thousand dollars in broken glass.” I shake my head and look at the tree in front of me. “Are there any lights over there? This tree is simply never going to look the same.”

He goes over to a tangled mess of colored lights and cracks his knuckles. “This is going to be a challenge There’s like two hundred strings here.”

I grab a step stool out of my closet while he tries to untangles a string of lights. I rope lighted garland around my fireplace.

I stand back to admire it, and make sure it’s straight, and watch as Mick sniffs the string of lights Justin’s untangling. With my snowflakes gone, half of my garland just seems naked somehow.

A box of gold bulbs sit on top of the tote I open and I set to work putting hooks in them to hang. Stepping onto the stool again, I hang each gold bulb on the branches carefully spacing them out.

I’ve always liked putting up the Christmas tree, but work just consumed too much of my time this year. I take a breath and realize how I’ve sort of neglected the entire season this year.

I’m a little upset with myself that I let it get so out of hand to not even have my tree up this year. No gifts wrapped, no Christmas music, hardly a Christmas card. It’s beginning to get the best of me.

I sigh and grow more frustrated with myself as I see a nativity set, lighted snowman, stockings and my centerpieces in one of the totes on the ground. With the devastation of discovering my Andersen Crystal snowflakes were in pieces, it was enough to upset me more with every passing moment. I cannot believe it as anxiety just overwhelms me.

A moment later I hear a spark pop come from the corner and it shakes me out of my thoughts as all the lights in my apartment go out. Mick starts barking in surprise.

I sigh and rub my temple. Seriously? I do not need this right now.

I can’t really move from my step stool because it’s so dark and I wouldn’t even know where to step without killing myself. Even with the fireplace going, it’s still dark enough to not see a thing. An orange glow from the fireplace hangs in the room.

“Justin, did you really just plug that entire tangled mess of lights into one single outlet?”  I’m about to seriously melt down.

“Andi, I swear I didn’t know that was going to happen,” his voice calls in the dark. He pulls out his cell phone to light up where he’s sitting.

“Why the hell are would you plug ALL of those into one electrical socket?” I manage to carefully sit on my step stool since I can’t move anywhere else in the dark.

“To test them! Simple enough to do them all at once and untangle them from there.”

“That has to be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard,” I say quickly. “Why wouldn’t you just untangle them one at a time and test them from there? Common sense. You’re not suppose to plug in more than three strings of lights at a time!”

I hear him scoff. “Well I didn’t know that, Miss Christmas tree expert. I didn’t think it mattered!”

“What did you say? I can’t believe you!” I can feel myself getting angrier and my face burns. “See, this is why I didn’t put the tree up any earlier! Too complicated! I give up!”

“Oh, so kinda like how you just gave up on us, right? On our relationship? I just wanted to be sure!” He lashes out bitterly.

I feel like he’s just punched me in the chest. Hard. It stops my breathing for a moment. “Excuse me?” I manage to choke out, “So that’s why you’ve stopped over here tonight?”  

Light from the fireplace casts shadows on his face. “No, Andi... I... it’s Christmas...  and I...”

I pull out my own cell phone and light a path to my laundry room. Resetting the breaker, the lights flicker back on in the apartment, and I walk past him to my bedroom without saying a single word.

Shutting the door, I slide down the wall and tears burn in my eyes. Was he right? Had I given up on him? I had done what I thought was best for myself. For my career.

At that very moment reality hit me. I realized I had in fact, given up on him. I chased my dream and pushed him away in the process. I couldn’t stop. Not even for Christmas. Not even for him.

Oh God, I whisper to myself and bury my face in my hands.

The door to my bedroom cracks open and he sits down next to me. “Andi,” he whispers. “I’m sorry. That was pretty selfish of me.”

I bite my lip and tears overwhelm me. He pulls me into his arms and I melt into his lap. I can feel him rubbing my back and his strong arms come around me.

“That makes two of us I suppose. I gave up on us... And I see it now...”

“We both made mistakes.” he says lifting my chin to his level. “Andi... I wouldn’t have showed up here tonight, if I didn’t have feelings for you.”

His hands caress my face and his eyes just pull me in.

“Why did you really show up here tonight?” I’m so unsure of everything in my mind now.

His face searches mine as if he’s looking for why I’ve asked that question. “I just had this feeling that I needed to come see you. The past few years... just haven’t seemed like Christmas without you. No time seems real... without you.”

He wipes my tears away with his hand. “But...I got a call about my flight a moment ago. I’ll be out of your hair tomorrow morning.”

“That’s the problem, Justin... I don’t want you out of my hair. That’s the last thing I want.”

“Come here,” he says and scoops me up in his arms. He moves the blankets off my bed, lays me down and lies down next to me. “I showed up here not wanting anything. But I want this,” he says and places his hand on my heart.

I lie there in the dark with only the Christmas lights in the hallway lighting up the space. I can feel my heart beat a little faster against his hand.

“We can’t let the world drag us down. Work swept us up before. We will make time for...each other.”  

I hesitate, but I can’t fight the feelings in my heart. “It’s Christmas. I miss how we spent Christmas together.. and the only thing I want is us again. I will make the time for Christmas.. and I’ll make the time for us. I want this.”

He presses his lips to my temple and I can feel his happiness radiate as he pulls me close. “I do too. Best Christmas gift, ever.”

*

The next morning, I wake up with Justin’s arm wrapped around me. I know he has a flight to catch soon, but I lie there for a moment and take it all in. His scent, his face. I run my fingers through his hair and he stirs a bit. I lay a gentle kiss on his forehead.

Us. Us again at Christmas. We both want it. He was right. Best Christmas gift ever. And it feels so good.

I slip out of his arms and walk to the hallway. With a flick of my light switch, the tree illuminates my living room. I stand there for a moment in complete awe.

“Damn you, Timberlake. Even with no time to spare, you’ve made me all Christmas-y.” I whisper.

“Good,” I hear from behind me and I jump a little. He leans his chin on my shoulder and smiles. “I think we did a pretty good job, huh?”

“We did an amazing job. Justin, thank you... for last night. You might’ve saved my Christmas spirit.”

“Anytime, Andi.” He places a gentle kiss on my lips and I hug him tightly.

I make us some breakfast and I can’t stop looking over at my tree. Yes, it’s missing my precious Andersen snowflakes, but somehow, it’s not as bad as it seems. I should be in absolute tears, but somehow, everything’s okay. After all, it’s Christmas time.

He looks over at me and smiles. Even with my previous lack of Christmas spirit, it was totally worth it.  

“You’d better get going. You’re going to miss your flight if you don’t hurry. I’m sure your mom wouldn’t be happy about that and I totally don’t want to be responsible for that.”

“That’d be unfortunate. Almost. Having to spend another night with you?” His smile just warms my heart inside. He turns to grab his coat and looks at me standing in the hallway. “Andi.”

“Yes Justin?” His shoes click as he walks over and lifts my chin. As my eyes look upwards, I see a sprig of mistletoe in the doorway.

I laugh to myself and cross my arms. “What? You planted that didn’t you, Timberlake?”

“Who me?” He smiles bashfully and lifts his lips to mine.

I close my eyes and take the moment in, and it’s as if the world stops. When we finally break our kiss, it leaves me seeing stars. Almost like snowflakes.

“Promise me you’ll stop over when you’re back,” I say and squeeze his hand.

“Promise. My Christmas gift to you.”

I lean up and kiss his cheek. “You’re my gift this year.”

I watch him walk to his car and it breaks my heart a bit as he waves goodbye. “MERRY CHRISTMAS ANDI!” He yells and blows me a kiss.

A few days after Christmas, I wind down and the snow finally begins to let up a little. I feel like I’ve been in the house far too long, but I still have a ton of work to do.  

I retreat to my office with a cup of tea and start going over my calendar for the next few months when I hear a knock at my door.

Mick scampers to the door and I pull him away to open it.

A box wrapped in blue and silver snowflake wrapping paper sits on my door step.  I study it and take it inside. There’s no address, no label, not a single distinguishing mark at all.

What is this? I didn’t order anything, and even if I did, it wouldn’t have come wrapped as elaborately as this box was.

I open the small card attached to the box and find a note.

“Merry Christmas, Andi.
I wanted to add a few special pieces to your collection. I love you always.
Love, J”

The box is full of packing peanuts. I dig through them and uncover a number of small boxes.

I open one small box and carefully remove the foam from inside. A solid silver heart shaped ornament shines in my hands with a note that says “Andrea, from my heart to yours.”

“Ohh,” I breathe.

I gently open the next box and find a silver, glittery snowflake. The note attached to the red ribbon reads, “A snowflake. One of God's most fragile creations, but look what they can do when they stick together.”

Another box I open contains more snowflakes. “Andi, as beautiful as the fallen snow.”

Another snowflake comes out of the next box I open with the note attached reading, “A little fragile, unique, yet beautiful. Snowflakes and our love.”

They’re beautiful.I pull them out one by one and it hits me.  I realize he’s given me every single Andersen snowflake in the collection. It stops my heart for a moment, and I cannot believe it. I keep unwrapping and cannot believe what my eyes are seeing. Every single one, including the one I was missing from this year, is carefully wrapped in the trademark silver paper.

I literally can’t breathe as tears sting my eyes.

I pull my cell phone out of my purse and dial Justin’s number. After a few rings, his voicemail switches on.

“You’ve reached my phone,
leave a message after the tone.”

Clever, Justin. Clever.

“Hey there. So I’m standing here in awe right now, crying. I cannot believe you.” I lift one snowflake and as it catches the light, it sparkles and shines. “I just wanted to know...if you’re not busy in a few weeks.. Would you come help me take my tree down? Get back to me. Thanks.”

As soon as I set my phone down, a text message lights up the screen.

From JT:
I’d love to. We can take it down in a few weeks. Be over tonight just because. You know, it’s suppose to snow :)


THE END


This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2287