On My Wishlist by JSC_OutOfSync
Summary:

...A career is wonderful, but you can't curl up with it on a cold night.

 

For my SecretSanta Ashley Loves JC


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, General, Romance
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2011
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2011
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 4824 Read: 3145 Published: Dec 30, 2011 Updated: Dec 30, 2011
Story Notes:
Hope you like it Ashley! :)) 

1. Chapter 1 by JSC_OutOfSync

2. Chapter 2 by JSC_OutOfSync

3. Chapter 3 by JSC_OutOfSync

Chapter 1 by JSC_OutOfSync
Author's Notes:

Enjoy everyone! And I hope you're all having a happy holiday!

"Snowflakes keep falling on my head," she sang in a murmur. "But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turning red. Snowflakes keep falling on my head."

"The lyric is raindrops keep falling on my head, darling," JC chuckled. "I fixed the connection by the way. We can talk now."

Natalie smiled at the sound in his voice. She could almost hear the smile she knew he had painted on that chiseled face of his. She could almost see the twinkle in those blue eyes she had yet to make contact with for the past three weeks. It wasn't the longest they'd ever been apart, but the days sure did drag out a lot longer when all you heard every day since Halloween were sappy, overplayed Christmas songs that only continued to remind her that she was going to be without the only person she wanted to kiss under the mistletoe that year.

 She closed her eyes and leaned back on the couch a bit with the phone to her ear.

"Are you missing seeing the snowflakes this year, babe?"

"A little bit," she admitted. "It's cold in Orlando but when I look outside, it's just like any other day. There's no snow on the ground and no one's shoveling their driveways or anything like that."

"Well maybe if you fly out to Los Angeles tonight like I've begged you to, you'd see some snow."

Natalie smiled. "JC, it doesn't even snow in Los Angeles."

"We have flurries, okay? It's better than seeing nothing at all in Florida."

"Enjoy it for me then."

"What time do you have sound check?" JC asked.

"Around 5:30. Nikki should be here in a few minutes so we can leave the hotel together."

"You know, I don't see how Innosense isn't big yet either. Both you guys opened up for*NSYNC months ago."

"Maybe we'll both get noticed tonight," she shrugged. "Show starts at seven."

"Then that's perfect!" JC cried out happily. Natalie jumped at his enthusiasm and excitement. "It's a forty minute show. Catch a flight and I promise I'll be there to pick you up when you get in. We'll spend Christmas together baby, do it. Do it for us."

"I don't want to be in the air on Christmas Eve, Jace.  And you know I have meetings set up with record labels on the 26th. There's gonna be a lot of important people here to see me tonight. I can't just fly out to see my boyfriend."

"Fly out after the show. And then you can leave early in the morning on the 26th. That way, we spend Christmas together. C'mon Nat, pleaseee?"

Natalie had to chuckle at his pleading. She didn't want to be away but it was a bad career move.

"That's too much travelling for my liking. I've got work to do tomorrow, baby."

"What work?" JC snorted. "It's Christmas."

"You're in L.A. My parents are in Virginia. I've got songs I'm working on so I'll probably spend the day writing or in the studio."

"Songs that you still haven't sang for me," JC muttered.

"If you fly out to see me, then you'd hear them. And don't forget that we spent last Christmas apart too. And that was your fault."

"Hey, I was in Europe. There was no way I could have gotten back home in time for Christmas day but I flew back on the 27th. We compromised, remember?"

"I'm too busy with work babe. You know that. I'm really trying to get signed here. If I want people to take me seriously, then I'm gonna have to stay committed to my craft. You tell me that all the time. I'll see you for the New Year."

"Last year, Christmas, it happened without us..."

Natalie groaned. She hated whenever he brought his singing voice into an argument that she was trying to win. "We saw each other a few days later."

"I always thought that Christmas was a happy day..."

"You have the guys. I'm sure you'll wreak some havoc with your new toys and find a way to enjoy it."

"Because everybody should be in love with somebody on Christmas..."

"We are in love," she told him gently and she knew JC was rolling his eyes.

"Well, duh, Natalie. That's why I want my girlfriend with me under the tree tomorrow."

"Please don't make this harder JC. You know that I think we should be together tomorrow. But it's going to have to wait. This is my big break tonight. It's my first show where I'm not the opening act. I need to start taking this thing seriously."

"I always knew you were talented but when Johnny got you to open up for us in Detroit, I didn't think the offers would come pouring in to you so soon."

"So really, this is all your fault."

"As usual." 

"I put up with the distance whenever you're away. And I haven't even started recording a full album yet. This is just a small gig that I need to get my feet wet for what I hope is about to come. You can understand that, can't you?"

JC ran a hand through his hair and chewed over what she had said. "I just want you to remember something babe."

"What's that?"

"I'm happy for you. And you've been happy for me but... Remember this: A career is wonderful, you can't curl up with it on a cold night."

A grin broke out on Natalie's face. "Marilyn Monroe. Aw, you really do love me."

JC laughed. "Yea, I was reading some stuff about her and stumbled across that line. I thought it suit the situation, don't you think?"

"Mmm, yea. I miss you babe. I'm not trying to close off myself from you, I'm just trying to figure out how to balance everything. I'll see you for New Years, okay?"

"So there's no chance of getting you to come out here by tomorrow? None at all? No matter how many songs I sing or plead or quote Marilyn Monroe for you?"

"I'll see you on New Year's Eve, babe. If I get a second, I'll call you when I get to Universal. Wish me luck, please?"

"Good luck Natty," JC sighed. "I know my girl's gonna kill ‘em tonight. And don't forget to do your vocal exercises before sound check. Do it for about fifteen minutes just to clear the pipes."

"I'll do the ones you taught me," Natalie promised. "See, it helps having a boyfriend in the business."

"Yea, I suppose," JC chuckled. "Alright, I gotta go too. I need to take a call on the other line."

"Okay, love you Jace. If I can't get through to you before I go on stage, I'll call you when the clock strikes midnight so that I can at least start off my Christmas by hearing your voice."

"Fair enough. Love you too baby girl."

Ending the call, JC switched the lines.

"Josh, you there? Hellloo?"

"Oh, yea, hey, I'm here. Sorry, I was trying to make sure she wasn't planning anything. Our deal is on, right?"

"Yea, totally. I just needed to make sure that you were going through with it."

JC smiled. "I am. You don't mind do you?"

"Nah," she shook her head. "As long as you hold up your end of the deal, we are completely fine. Don't worry about it Josh."

 JC breathed a sigh of relief. "Thanks Nikki! I owe you one!"

End Notes:

Review!! 

ps. Special thanks goes to Kasia for your enthusiasm on the first couple chapters! Thanks girl! 

Chapter 2 by JSC_OutOfSync

3hrs later- 6:00PM

"You're joking right?" Natalie glared at the man in the hideous red and green Christmas sweater who kept mumbling into his headset. "What do you mean they're not here yet? Are you fucking insane?!"

"Well, no, I..." The bald headed man was obviously starting to feel intimidated. "All I do is confirm what artists are here and who is to perform at what time. Innosense cancelled so that means you, the next big act, are supposed to go on in ten minutes."

"B-B-B-But I talked to the girls today!" Natalie insisted, her heart rate increasing dramatically. The pounding in her chest resembled the sounds of race horses galloping down a trail- Fast and hard.

She pulled her hair back into a loose bun and paced around the room, her palms turning sweaty.

"I haven't gone through makeup and hair yet! You can't just shove me on stage with a microphone!"

"According to your contract, we technically can and you're already in costume. One act cancelled, so the following act is next in line. The band's been informed and they're already on stage. Run a brush through those waves and meet me on stage left in four minutes. Got that?"

"Wha-" Before she could question the plans once more, the man had already left the dressing room.

"This is not happening to me," she shook her head, looking at herself in the mirror. "This can't be happening to me. Why... How... Wha..."

She started to feel her throat close up and the room started spinning. She didn't like spur of the moment performances. It made her weak. She was hoping that Innosense would warm up the crowd before she even went on but she rarely ever did completely solo performances. It always helped to share a stage and now, the only thing that she was going to be sharing the stage with was the puddle of throw up she knew would come to be if she went out there early.

A vibration from the vanity mirror table against the cream wall caught her attention and snapped her out of the trance of dizziness.

Natalie snapped the phone open, eager to hear a voice that would hopefully calm her down.

"Jace!" she exclaimed into the phone. Her breathing started getting harder when she heard a knock on the door.

"Nat, baby, what's wrong?" JC asked, concerned by her tone of voice. "I called to wish you good luck before you went into your ‘zone.'"

"Nikki cancelled on me!" she cried out into the phone. "JC, they want me to perform now! I-I-I-I wasn't supposed to do this now! I always have a plan a-a-and now I feel like everything's being screwed up! I feel like I can't remember the choreography and I can't remember the lyrics to any of the songs I'm supposed to perform tonight. God, WHY did Nikki cancel on meee?! I can't do this now! I... I'm too scared!"


"Calm down Nat, c'mon. You can do this. People are out there waiting to see you perform. You've been gearing up for this show for a long time! Now, it's time to make it happen."

"I look like shit!"

"I'm sure you look great babe."

"I sound like shit!"

"If you did your vocal exercises, then you're fine."

"Jaceee," she whined into the phone. "My first solo performance and I feel like I'm in a mess here. I... I need... God, I need someone to buy me some extra time out there! I'm not ready!"

"You are ready Natalie."

"I-It's Christmas Eve, r-right?" she stuttered, resuming her pacing. "People are with their families right now. The crowd shouldn't be too big."

"I talked to Riley before I called you," JC told her, recalling the name of Natalie's manager. "He said that Universal actually hired extra security to handle the crowd. It's gotta be bigger than they planned if they had to hire extra security."

"Jace..." Natalie sniffled. "I'm like.... Hyperventilating right now!"

"You're gonna be fine, baby!"

"There's no one to calm that crowd for me JC! I can't pull that off on my own."

"Then let your opening act take care of it Nat," JC whispered to her, kissing her neck.

Letting out a scream and almost dropping the cell, Natalie jumped away from the person standing behind her and her right hand flew to her chest.

"Jace?" she squinted her eyes as though to ensure she was actually seeing correctly.

JC had to laugh, stuffing the phone into his jacket pocket. "You're still talking into the phone, babe."

Natalie realized that she was and blushed, closing the phone and throwing it onto the couch beside her.

"Didn't I tell you to do those exercises for at least fifteen minutes? Your voice sounds like it's cracking a bit from that yelling and panicking."

Natalie giggled, meeting JC's teasing expression and ran up to him, letting him envelope her in his arms.

"Before you ask me why or how I'm here in the first place, can you please calm down?"

"I don't wanna go out there like this!" she said squeezing her arms that were wrapped around his neck.

"Natty," JC kissed the side of her head. "Can you listen to me for a sec?"

Natalie pulled away and looked at him. "Why are you here?"

JC's signature goofy smile that made his eyes get smaller broke out across his face. "I told Nikki to cancel."

Natalie's eyes bulged and her jaw fell open. She punched JC on the arm and screamed at him.

"Are you freakin' insane?! Why would you do that?!"

She punched him once more.

JC held on to his arm and backed away before she could let go another blow onto him. "Stop hitting me!"

"Uh oh," Chris chuckled. "Three years and you guys have finally fallen into the category of domestic violence."

"I didn't even do anything," JC muttered, walking over to stand where Chris was leaning against the door frame.

"You cancelled my opening act! On purpose!"

"We told him to do it," Justin said simply, popping his head in between JC and Chris. "It was our idea."

The frosted tipped, curly haired blonde smiled. "Hi Natty."

"Are you guys crazy?! I can't believe you did that!"

"She doesn't get it, does she?" Chris whispered to JC, all the while keeping his eyes focused on Natalie.

"I don't think so," JC chuckled.

"JC, I can't go out on stage feeling like this. I can't."

"I didn't say you had to, baby. We're-" JC motioned at Justin and Chris. "-We're your opening act."

"Wait..." Natalie frowned. "I don't understand."

"Lance and Joey are calling us," Justin said, staring down the corridor outside the door. "I think it's time for us to go on."

"Gimme two seconds with her," JC said to them before walking closer to Natalie. "I'll meet you guys on stage right."

Natalie waited for Justin and Chris to disappear before turning back to JC.

"That's why you're here? I thought you-"

"You know I wanted to spend Christmas with you this year and since you refused to come out to L.A., I came back to Orlando," JC beamed.

"You had to cancel a performance to get to me?" she squeaked.

"I wasn't gonna miss your first big performance. I know how important your career is to you now. I wasn't gonna not be a part of it. And I was talking to Nikki and the guys and they thought it was a good idea that we would fill in. Fans heard about it earlier today so I guess we attracted more people. I tried to keep the news away from you. Seems like I did a pretty good job," he smiled.

"What're you planning to sing?"

"We're starting with Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays first because it's Christmas Eve, and then This I Promise You and end it with Bye Bye Bye."

"And Innosense just let you take their spot?"

"I had to agree to take them on tour with *NSYNC this February for a week but they're fine with it."

"Well now it looks like you're just gonna steal the show," Natalie murmured. "Those fans love you guys like crazy."

JC smiled, tucking a loose strand of brown hair behind her ear and he kissed her forehead. "But they're gonna love my girl just as much as I do once you're done out there."

"You think so?"

"Just use these," he pulled out a small, white plastic bag from the pocket of his leather jacket and handed it to her.

"What's this?"

"Little packets of herbal tea. Add some honey, no milk. It'll soothe the pipes if you sip on it."

Natalie smiled, accepting the bag and she instantly felt the fears melt away slowly.

"Thank you," she said softly.

"I got your back, babe."

"Go do your thing," she encouraged him, nudging him closer to the door. "I gotta get ready now."

"I can't wait to see you out there in a half hour," he smiled.

"Wait!"

"What?"

"Are you staying here after the show is over? Orlando I mean."

JC nodded. "We're going back to your hotel."

"You're spending the holiday with me?" her face lit up. "But I told you I had work to do tomorrow."

"I still got tonight."

 

End Notes:
Review!!
Chapter 3 by JSC_OutOfSync

11:48PM

"What're you looking at?" JC whispered. His hot breath made the hairs on the back of her neck stand high.

Natalie leaned back against him when she felt his arm slide around her waist. She continued to peer out the stainless, glass window that overlooked the streets of that small part of Orlando. Each building as well the park she could spot from where she stood was decorated and strung with Christmas lights, adding some festivity to the town's nightlife.

 "The view is great from this room. The only thing missing tonight is a white Christmas."

"It seems you got that covered," JC told her, reaching for the notepad she was holding in her left hand. The top of the page read, ‘A White Christmas'.

"That's nothing," she blushed, tossing the notepad somewhere behind the couch a few feet away from them.

"Hey, I wanted to read that! Was it a song?"

"I told you I wanted to be working this Christmas. That includes my song writing."

"After your show tonight, I think you've worked enough."

"You really think I was good?"

"Did you not hear those fans screaming your name when the show was over?"

"Well let's just hope the labels like the music when I meet with them."

"This is gonna be a great year for you Nat, I can feel it."

"It's gonna be extra great because my wonderful boyfriend gave me a wonderful surprise."

"How so? By me coming here?"

"That was the surprise part. I got to share a stage with you but I wouldn't have even gotten that opportunity if you weren't the one who got Johnny to actually take my music seriously. I owe all this to you in a way. Having talent is one thing. Getting someone to recognize it and help you utilize it is another."

JC smiled. Holding her chin between his thumb and index finger, he gently brushed his lips against hers.

"Mmm, why didn't I want to fly out to you again?" she asked, her eyes closed.

JC laughed, taking her hand and leading her over to the couch. "Because you wanted to ‘work'. Working on Christmas is unacceptable when you have a chance to spend it with the person you love."

"So all the guys got back to the airport okay?"

"Yea, Justin texted me. He's back in Tennessee and Joey stayed here in Orlando. Lance and Chris are probably still in the air somewhere."

"You know babe," Natalie started gently, taking a seat on the couch. JC followed. "All four of them are with their families, but not you."

"My folks understand," JC said softly. "I've been away for enough holidays for them not to be used to it by now."

"Is that how it's gonna be for me if I make it big?"

JC let out a small smile. "You miss out on a lot but that just makes the homecoming that more sentimental. You know I'm a workaholic, but when it comes to the holidays and birthdays and things like that, I like to set aside some time for the people who are special in my life."

"I was the special one this year."

"You'll always be the special one," JC nuzzled her neck. "Hey, I got one more surprise for you."

Natalie raised her eyebrows. "What is it?"

"So we can do our gift exchange now?"

Natalie chewed it over for a second as she curled up on the couch some more, getting comfortable in the pajamas she wore.

"Don't you want to wait till midnight before we open Christmas presents?"

JC rolled his eyes as he got up. "I got better things I wanna be doing with you when the clock strikes midnight my little song bird."

She laughed, accepting JC's extended arm and he pulled her up from off the couch.

"Come ‘ere."

Following JC out onto the balcony, Natalie wrapped her arms around herself as a chilly breeze blew by.

"It's a little cold out here," she commented.

"Want me to get you a blanket?"

She shook her head. "I'm okay for now."

"You sure?"

"Yessss hun."

"Don't get all impatient on me now. That's gonna secure you a spot on Santa's naughty list."

"He's making a list, and checking it twice," she sang, bouncing a little while she sang the line.

JC chuckled. "You are adorable, you know that?"

"I've been told."

"That's exactly what I did, you know..."

"What?"

"I did make a list. But I didn't need to check it twice."

"What li-"

JC reached under the cushion from one of the chairs that was situated on the balcony and pulled out a pink notebook, the cover a little fluffy and the words Why I Don't Want To Spend One More Christmas Without You written in cursive, dark purple engraving.

"You said you wanted this year's gifts to be home made and from the heart. Well, this," he nodded toward the book. "I couldn't think of giving you something more heartfelt that this."

"How many pages are in there?" she asked, almost in awe.

"About two hundred and fifty. There's a reason on each page."

"I love it," she told him sincerely, taking the book carefully and holding it closely to her chest. "I can't believe you did this for me."

"Merry Christmas Natalie," JC smiled, kissing her cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too Jace," she said, cupping one side of his cheek. "I love my present. It's perfect."

"I'm glad you like it," he chuckled. "I've been working on it since before Halloween."

"Want yours now?"

"Sure."

"Come inside."

Natalie led him into the living area, right back to where they were just a few moments before and she rested her present carefully on the coffee table.

She walked over to where the entertainment system was set up and she opened one of the cupboards. Reaching on top of the DVD player, she pulled out a thin case that she quickly hid behind her back when she spun around.

Walking closer to JC, she revealed his present.

JC grinned, taking the CD case she held up in front of him and lightly chuckling at the picture she had printed out to be the cover- A photo they had taken the very first Christmas they had ever spent together as a couple. Her hair was longer back then, whereas JC still had that Caesar haircut.

"We need to update this picture," he said with a smile. He looked at her. "You made me a mix CD?"

"Not just any mix CD," she told him. "It's... well... I recorded myself doing covers of all your favorite, romance Christmas songs that were on the soundtracks of your favorite Christmas movies."

"Is ‘Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer' on here?"

"Why, of course," Natalie grinned, knowing it was the one he liked the best. She had purposely listed it as track one.

"Then I love ten times more than I did when you gave it to me ten seconds ago," JC told her, thanking her with a tight hug. "I love the picture too. Thank you."

"And I love my book."

"You do?"

"It's the best Christmas present I've gotten so far."

"Then I hope it can compete with the next one I'm about to give you now."

Natalie's face fell a little and she raised her eyebrows. "JC, I thought we were only gonna do one gift this year? One homemade gift. I don't want anything else."

"I know, I know... But, when I saw it, I just knew I had to get it for you."

"Baby," she groaned.

"Sit down right here."

She did as was asked and sighed. She followed JC with her eyes as he went over to where his jacket hung on a chair and fished around in the pockets. He finally pulled out a gold box with a red bow on the top and smiled as he approached her.

"Babe," Natalie started. "You really didn't hav-"

"I wanted to."

"I don't have anything else for you."

"I got you with me. My present that you made for me was just a bonus."

"You sure?"

He nodded. "I hope you like it."

Natalie hesitated at first but accepted the gift. JC took a seat next to her the same time she lifted off the cover of the box. Moving around the kite paper with a single finger, she let out a tiny gasp when something silver caught her eye. Lifting the bracelet out of the box, she raised her hand so that she could let it dangle in front of her.

"You like the charm?" JC asked.

Natalie turned the bracelet around and grinned when she saw the snowflake charm that was hooked on.

"JC, it's beautiful."

"I know you missed the snowflakes this year because you had your show and had to work and whatnot, but I wanted you to at least have a little reminder of one."

"I love it," she kissed him sweetly. "It's perfect."

"So I don't have bad taste after all."

"Just in clothes baby," Natalie laughed as she continued to admire the piece of silver jewelry.

JC rolled his eyes. "Well I'm glad you at least like your presents."

"I love them. And you."

"I love my present too. And you know I love my girl."

"I know," she nodded as JC helped her put on the bracelet.

"Now, get over here," JC grinned, picking up the remote and turning on the TV.

Natalie moved over on the couch to snuggle closer to him and she relaxed against his chest when he put an arm around her.

She stayed there quietly as JC surfed through the channels for a good Christmas movie to watch.

"Hey babe?"

"Mm?" he replied.

"You were right earlier."

"About what?"

"About me not working on the Christmas holiday. I'm sorry that I would have rather stayed in by myself and worked on my music instead of spending it with you."

"That's nothing to apologize about Nat. I just want you to realize something that took me too long to realize myself."

"What's that?"

"I said it before. A career is wonderful-"

"-but you can't curl up with it on a cold night. I got it."

He kissed the top of her head. "Good. Hey, Snow Day's on."

Natalie immediately piped up. "You wanna watch it?"

"Okay," JC put down the remote and leaned back against the sofa, dragging his fingers lazily up and down her back.

She let a few moments of the opening credits pass before speaking up once more.

"Jace?"

"Yea babe?"

"Thank you for coming to me for this Christmas. I know you're not with your family or the guys or back home or anything but I-"

"Hey," JC interrupted her. "I'm here with you. And you know what?"

"What?"

"I was able to get everything that was on my list."

"How many things were on that list?"

"Two," JC admitted.

"What were they?"

"One was asking Santa for *NSYNC to end our year with a platinum record which we got with No Strings Attached."

"And the other?"

JC smiled at the snowflake charm on her hand and then looked back into her hazel eyes. "That I get to spend Christmas with you."

 

End Notes:

I hope everyone who read enjoyed and more importantly, I hope you all had a very merry Christmas and I wish you an even better start to your New Year! Happy Holidays to all, and to all a good night! :)) (yea, I tweaked it.)

Leave me some holiday love.  

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2297