With A Single Stroke by kasia87
Summary: He'll turn his entire world upside down with one signature and the stroke of his pen. 
Categories: Challenges Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Celebrity/Celebrity, Drama
Challenges: The DrabbleRousers
Challenges: The DrabbleRousers
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 681 Read: 836 Published: Jan 07, 2012 Updated: Jan 07, 2012
Story Notes:
Little drabble snippet that I never really went anywhere with.... 
was going to use it in another piece, but didn't fit well. 

1. Chapter 1 by kasia87

Chapter 1 by kasia87

 

 

The weight of the pen in his hand grew heavier by the second. The papers in front of him seemed to almost sneer at him in the dark.

These were not song lyrics, or a music contract, or documents for the show. These were more personal. More hard hitting, more devastating more crushing than any signature he’d ever written. No autograph could even wrap itself around the magnitude of these documents. The fresh ink that stained these pages could’ve coated his battered heart as well.  

Dissolution of Marriage. Divorce papers.

Rebecca had served him while he'd walked to the studio from his car a week ago. How she'd even got someone into MTV studios at that time of day baffled him. He signed a random autograph on the way in, and was served the papers a moment later. Just like that, she wanted out after almost 3 years.

And he knew why. The late nights with her personal trainer at the gym were not marathon training. Private Pilate's classes, or excuses about getting to the gym later than usual. He knew better.  

All it would take was a stroke of the pen and it would end an entire life.

His own.

An entire life he’d devoted to her.

“Sign the damn papers already,” a text on his phone lit up. “I could always forge your signature. I have to have something you’ve autographed lying around.”

The air in his lungs escaped as he read it. She would stoop that low to get what she wanted. If she could loop his “J” the right way, it would be almost impossible to detect a forgery.

He could contest it in court since he knew they’d be fighting over property sooner or later. They were already fighting over who would keep the blue throw pillows in the bedroom.

The clock ticked away in his office and he rubbed his eyes. They wearily fell upon the large wedding photo displayed in the hallway.

Just like that, his entire world, and his marriage would be over with the stroke of a pen. It couldn’t possibly be that easy.

His leather notebook, full of lyrics lay next to the papers. The past few days he’d written everything that had crossed his mind. In between crying and writing, a barrage of e-mails, text messages and phone calls lay unanswered.

But there were so many other questions unanswered. His own questions that were unanswered.

He put his hands to his face and the gold band on his finger caught the light. He slid it off his finger and holding it in his hand, turned it absentmindedly.

His mind flashed back to their wedding day. A gorgeous sunny day in Miami. It couldn’t have been more perfect.

“I, Joshua affirm my love to you, Rebecca as I invite you to share my life. Today I give myself to you in marriage in front of God. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard. These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life.”


He’d kept those promises. Every word was true. She hadn’t.

The gold ring fell onto his desk and rattled him from his thoughts.

He looked over the documents once more picked up his phone and sent a single text message. “Rebecca. I’m gonna make this perfectly clear. This is what YOU want. I’ll meet with the lawyer tomorrow. You’ll get your damned signature.”

With a single stroke of his pen, he signed his name on the line and closed the black folder.

His hands went to his face again. He leaned back in the leather chair, overwhelmed with what he’d just done.

Just like that. It was over as the ink dried on the page. With a single stroke.
End Notes:
sorry... i know it's kinda a depressing piece...
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2320