Coffee for Two: The First in the Grayson Chronicles Series by Alysen Blaine
Summary:

 

 Grayson1

 

 

 

Will moving to a small town give JC everything he never knew he wanted?


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: Season 7
Genres: Romance
Challenges: None
Series: The Grayson Chronicles
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 41799 Read: 26178 Published: May 09, 2012 Updated: Aug 07, 2012
Story Notes:

 

 MAIN CHARACTERS

 

James Ryan

James Ryan 

JC Chasez

 JC Chasez

Sutton Ryan

Sutton Ryan 

Chad Chasez

 Chad Chasez

 

Supporting Characters 

stories/1967/images/images-5.jpeg

Lane Wilkes 

Kaylie

 Kaylie Mathews

Madison

Madison Cooper 

Hunter 

Hunter Morgan 

1. Chapter 1 by Alysen Blaine

2. Chapter 2 by Alysen Blaine

3. Chapter 3 by Alysen Blaine

4. Chapter 4 by Alysen Blaine

5. Chapter 5 by Alysen Blaine

6. Chapter 6 by Alysen Blaine

7. Chapter 7 by Alysen Blaine

8. Chapter 8 by Alysen Blaine

9. Chapter 9 by Alysen Blaine

10. Chapter 10 by Alysen Blaine

11. Chapter 11 by Alysen Blaine

12. Chapter 12 by Alysen Blaine

13. Chapter 13 by Alysen Blaine

14. Chapter 14 by Alysen Blaine

15. Chapter 15 by Alysen Blaine

16. Chapter 16 by Alysen Blaine

17. Chapter 17 by Alysen Blaine

18. Chapter 18 by Alysen Blaine

19. Epilogue by Alysen Blaine

Chapter 1 by Alysen Blaine

Los Angeles

"Now, your hair, is well, different then it used to be. Take a look at this picture we found," 


The audience laughed hysterically as Conan O'Brien flashed a picture of a 17-year-old Justin Timberlake with his hair a golden shade of curly blonde.


Justin shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Yeah," he cleared his throat, trying to smile sheepishly. "Yeah, that's due to the weirdness of the band I was in...."


JC didn't hear the rest of the interview. He rolled his eyes and clucked his tongue. "That's right, Justin. You're just so wonderful on your own you would have gotten famous without us, I guess?" JC had listened to interviews of his former friend and band mate before where he would slyly insult his years with Nsync as if they'd been ridiculous and painful. From what JC remembered, Justin had gotten along just fine in the limelight with the band. 


He flipped off the television and was about to go to sleep when his phone buzzed. He picked it up and saw a text from his cousin, Chad, who lived in Georgia. They hadn't talked in a few weeks and JC had meant to text him yesterday but rehearsals for America's Best Dance Crew were about to begin and he'd been preoccupied with that. He touched the screen and the text lit up:

You should come back to the east side, C. Lots of stuff going on. Things going well with new boyfriend.


JC sighed and wished he could take a few weeks or even a few months off. Lately, L.A. had been driving him crazy for some reason. Maybe he was outgrowing it or maybe he was just sick of the traffic. The only thing that was keeping him there was the job with MTV and a the occasional producing gig. But no, L.A. had been his home for the good part of 10 years now and he knew if he left, he might regret what he missed. 


He typed back:

Maybe in a few weeks. Got lots going on with show. Def want to meet your boyfriend. Did you get a roommate or did he move in?


JC yawned and leaned against his pillow, waiting for Chad's response. He was going to give his cousin 3 minutes and then shut his phone off. He had a meeting early the next morning and it was already past 12:30. His phone buzzed again:


He's a great guy. His name is Lane. Mom actually approves. Got new roommate. My good friend James from high school. Really a cutie.


JC quickly typed back a goodnight and then shut off his phone. He double-checked to make sure his alarm was set and then fell asleep.


Grayson, Georgia

James Ryan was the first to the coffee shop every morning without fail. Five a.m. was rough on some people, but never for her. She'd always been a "go getter" as he mother had said and when she'd decided to open her own coffee shop three years ago, no one was surprised. Of course, James never expected her dream of owning her own business to move her right back to the town she despised as a teenager, but after moving to Atlanta and then Orlando and then a nasty break-up with her ex-boyfriend, James had decided going home might be the best thing for her and her five-year-old daughter, Sutton. Sutton had been the product of a reluctant night spent with Clay, her ex, when he'd come to see her in Orlando right after she'd moved there. She shuddered ever having to think of Clay and was at least thankful that Sutton looked more like her mother than her despicable father. 


James was the last person anyone expected to have a child. She'd been that girl in high school that her classmates figured would go on to either become the President of the United States or at least run for Congress. James had done neither and had gone to Oglethorpe University in Atlanta, gotten a Bachelors' in English and then gone on to get a Masters in Business at Georgia State. She moved to Orlando to work with an advertising firm shortly after, but not before breaking up with Clay, who, as most of her friends figured, deserved it.


Orlando had been short lived and after she discovered she was pregnant, James knew it best to return to the little town that had raised her, move into her parents' basement and raise her baby as best as she could. It was during her pregnancy with Sutton that she had started researching business options. Grayson didn't have much in their downtown, which had been restored in the last few years, but was still lackluster. Most people just went into Savannah if they wanted anything to do, but James wanted her town to have more. That was when the idea of the coffee shop had struck her and after a few weeks of researching, she had a name - Brewsters - and a location right in the middle of the main drag of town. Next to Sutton, Brewstershad been her proudest accomplishment.


The basement had started to get cramped in the last few months, which James figured it would sooner or later. She wanted Sutton to have her own space but wasn't sure she wanted a whole house for them just yet. That's when her best friend, Chad Chasez, had called her up and told her he'd just bought a house on the water and would she consider moving in to help out with mortgage payments. James didn't even have to think twice about that. Chad had bought an old plantation house on the marsh and had completely gutted and revamped it in just under a year. It was a huge, sprawling mansion that looked like something out of Better Homes and Gardens. Sutton wouldn't just have her own space, she would have an entire two rooms just for her. 


James smiled to herself as she unlocked the door to go into the shop. She was finally starting to feel a sense of belonging in the town that she had loathed so many years ago, but for some reason now, she couldn't imagine living anywhere else.


Of course, she'd secretly wished for someone romantically and had been on a few dates here and there, but most men in Grayson were already married or not too keen on becoming a father right away. It was a bummer sometimes, but at the end of the day, Sutton was the only thing that mattered and she was always excited to pick her daughter up from her mother's house and loved every minute of being a mother.


James went behind the counter and began to brew the coffee, checking the schedule to see who she'd put on to work today. Since it was summer, there were a slew of teenagers from the local high school that had applied to work and it gave her other employees the mornings off. Today three of them, Kaylie, Madison, and Hunter were coming in at six. James went to the back and began to prepare muffins and crossaints to bring out to the display up front. She could hear the coffee finishing as she brought out the first batch of morning pastries. Her favorite part of the day was right now. It was quiet, the sun was just starting to come up, and for about a half hour, she could have time all to herself. She sat down in a cushioned chair by the window with a cup of fresh coffee, a warm bagel, and the latest issue of People magazine, occasionally watching outside as the rest of Grayson woke up.


Los Angeles

JC was awakened at 7:30 the next morning by a noisy alarm. He groaned and thought about hitting snooze, but he knew he needed to get up or else he'd hit traffic and never get to the first meeting of America's Best Dance Crew. He turned on his phone and immediately four text messages popped up, all from his agent. 


Call as soon as you get this.


ABDC possibly canceled. Call me.


Are you awake? 


ABDC done. Call asap.


JC reread all four texts over again before he called Gail, his agent for the last seven years. 


"Gail, what the hell is going on?" he asked, as soon as she'd picked up.


"God, Jace, I dunno. Someone higher up from MTV thinks that they should be focused more on reality shows and so they've picked up some new show all about Christina Aguilera,"


"Christina?! She's doing The Voice for crying out loud. What the hell does she need a reality show for?"


"That's why they want to do it. Because of her work on The Voice. Anyway, that's not the only reason. Something else about doing game shows again, like they did in the 90s,"


"But, what -"


"I'm sorry, Jace. That's all I know. They're having a meeting at the regular time today and want all the judges and producers and everyone there to tell them formally,"


JC hung up the phone and sat back down on the bed, wondering if he should've even bothered getting up at all. He knew the show had been losing some popularity in the last season, but he never thought it would be canceled. 


He got up and went into his bathroom, turning the shower on hot and stripping down to step inside. He let the water run down his back and closed his eyes, thinking about what to do next. He didn't know why it was taking him by surprise this hard. Wasn't it just last night he'd thought about leaving L.A. anyway? Maybe this was his answer. He quickly showered and then dressed, grabbing a breakfast bar and Diet Coke on his way out. As he stalled in traffic on his way to the MTV studios, his mind was racing. There was really nothing left in L.A. right now. He could produce from anywhere in the world, he didn't have to stay here. The show was done and over and it would be official in a few minutes. Traffic was horrendous and even now he'd been cursing people cutting in front of him. 


He got off the exit and had started thinking about where to go. There was always Orlando. Joey was there and he hadn't seen his friend in a long time. Possibly DC. Maybe Miami. 


And then it hit him. He was going to go to Grayson and see his favorite cousin.
By the time he got to the meeting, the news that America's Best Dance Crew had been canceled wasn't that detrimental anymore. He had a trip to plan.

Chapter 2 by Alysen Blaine


By ten o'clock that morning, Brewster's was filled with its usual morning crowd. An older gentleman sat in the corner at a table by the window reading the Grayson Daily Post, three women sat at the couches in the back drinking coffee and gossiping about a recent bridal shower they'd been to in which the bride and her mother-in-law to be had gotten into a fight, and a mother sat working on her computer while her ten-year-old son played a game on her iPad. It was quiet for the most part, so James had let Kaylie and Hunter take a ten-minute break to go in the back office. Madison was helping James restock pastries, while Norah Jones played quietly on Pandora. 


"OMG! OMG OMG!" Kaylie's voice rang out in what sounded like panic from the back.  The man reading his newspaper looked up and over at the counter. The gossiping ladies stopped talking and the mom and her son looked up from their computers. James and Madison immediately looked at each other and then over towards Kaylie. James had gotten used to the fact that Kaylie usually overreacted and was quite the drama queen. There had been an instance last week where she was freaking out because a dress she'd gotten in Atlanta from H&M was worn by another one of her friends. "I thought I was going to be the only one in Grayson with that dress!" she'd moaned. "And now stupid Ashley Harrison had to go and get the same one when she went to Jacksonville!"


"I really hope this isn't another dress issue," James muttered to Madison as they went to the door leading to the back office.


Hunter and Kaylie were on the internet and Hunter was rolling his eyes at her. "She found out some stupid dance show was canceled today," Hunter told James and Madison. "Don't worry, it's not that big of a deal."


"Not that big of a deal?! It's a huge deal! I loved America's Best Dance Crew!" Kaylie gasped. 


"Kaylie, it's on Twitter. You don't know if it's true or not," Hunter sighed and stood from the office chair he'd been leaning back in. Hunter was the even-keeled guy friend every girl wanted in high school. He wasn't the guy the girls dated, he was the one they went to for guy advice. From what James knew from Madison and Kaylie, he was quite popular, but didn't date much. He played basketball and was a big fan of Georgia Tech, always sporting a cap with GT embroidered on the front. James was lax about him wearing it to work as long as the rest of him looked kept.


"Um, hello, it was tweeted by Lil Mama! She's a judge on the show. She's gonna know!" Kaylie snapped at him. She flipped her blonde ponytail behind her and stood to her feet, following Hunter towards the door where Madison and James were standing.


"Drama Queen," Hunter said under his breath, and James bit her tongue to keep from laughing at them. Typical teenagers.


"Kaylie, I'm sorry your show got canceled," James told her, "But maybe next time keep your voice down."


"I'm sorry, James," Kaylie apologized. "I swear, it just caught me off guard is all."


"Why don't you and Hunter start getting the sandwich stuff ready while Madison and I finish putting out the rest of the danishes," James told her. 


"Ok, yeah," Kaylie followed James over to the refrigerator below the espresso machine. 


James went back to the pastry shelf and it suddenly hit her which show Kaylie was talking about. Chad's cousin Josh was a judge on that show. She certainly didn't want to tell Kaylie that she'd once met a judge from there back when he was famous for something else. From what she'd just seen, Kaylie might go into cardiac arrest and demand an autograph or something. 


Just then, the bell on the front door chimed and Chad walked in, dressed to the nines as always and on the phone on what could only be a business call.

Chad was a successful interior designer and did work all over Georgia and north Florida. He'd made his first million two years before designing the interior of Paula Deen's newest restaurant and with that he'd bought the house he and James and Sutton were sharing.  Chad liked living in Grayson because it was an easy commute and he'd never been fond of big cities. His interior design firm was in a loft building across the street from Brewster's and he was a familiar face in the coffee shop throughout the day.


"Yes, perfect. I'll schedule a trip next weekend then. I'll bring all of my books and catalogs. Oh, I'm sure we're going to work together fine. Uh huh. Wonderful. Talk then. Good-bye," Chad hung up and walked over to the counter. "Good morning, Madison. Could you fix me a double foam latte with a teensy pump of vanilla?"


"Sure thing," Madison smiled at Chad and went to work at the espresso machine.


"Hi doll," he looked over at James. "Busy day?" He leaned against the counter, taking off his black rimmed glasses and cleaning them. 


"Not too crazy, but good," James replied. "You?"


Chad went around the counter, helping himself to a cinnamon bun. "Just got a job up in Atlanta. A guy who owns a pub in Buckhead wants it revamped and heard about me from Paula," he bit into the cinnamon bun and wiped his mouth. "I'm wondering if Lane'll want to go with me. Is that too soon? It's too soon, right?" Chad was always second guessing himself when it came to relationships and what was considered too soon and too fast and too slow and especially too desperate.


"You can just ask him if he wants to go to Atlanta," James said, wiping down the counter with a wet cloth. She tucked a piece of brown hair behind her ear and looked up at Chad. "It's not like you're asking him to marry you. It's a weekend trip. Not that big of a deal. And it's for work so you can tell him you have to go for work and if he wants to come he can."


"You're so good at this stuff," Chad sighed and came from behind the counter as Madison handed him his drink. His phone buzzed. "Oh, just a minute. It's Josh." He tapped his phone on and then said, "What up Cousin C? Oh my gosh you're kidding me! For what reason?" 


James already knew what Josh was telling Chad, thanks to Kaylie's meltdown a few minutes before. She tried not to eavesdrop but Chad was standing next to her and it was hard not to.


"Well, that blows. Of course you can! Yes, yes, do not worry about a thing. You stay as long as you want. I'll let James know," Chad bit into his cinnamon bun again. "Hm? Jealous? Why would Lane be jealous? Oh, no, James is a girl!" James chuckled at that. She blamed her father who had been scared to death he'd never have a son for christening her with such a masculine name. She'd gotten used to people always thinking she was a boy before they'd met her and confusing a lot of teachers when they read their roster the first day of school. Now, it was just amusing. "You met her before. Yes, you did. Oh, I don't remember. Back at a concert of yours or something. Well, anyway, yes you did but whatever, it's fine. Flying into Savannah at eleven-thirty tonight. Got it. I'll be there. See you then." 


"Let me guess, Josh is coming to visit," James said before Chad could get a word out. "And he's coming because his show just got canceled."
"How the hell did you-" Chad started.


"I work with teenagers, one of which is obsessed with that show and was devastated reading on Twitter that it was done," James replied, grinning at Chad.


"Oh, damn, well don't tell her he's in town. I'm sure he's going to just want some down time. He'll be in late tonight and doesn't know how long he'll stay," Chad whispered, noticing that Kaylie had in fact turned her attention towards their conversation. He cleared his throat. "Ok, so, what time will you be home tonight?"


"Lesly comes in at two and takes over for me. I'm picking up Sutton from ballet at two-thirty and I'll be home then," James said, flicking off a piece of lint from her shirt. Lesly Parsons was the assistant manger of Brewster's and usually worked the later manager shift so that James could be home with Sutton. "By the way, was she ok getting up this morning? She fought me going to bed last night."


"Oh, little diva was fine," Chad mused. "She was up before me already in her ballet outfit. Which by the way, you might want to get her a black leotard next time because the kid looks like a walking bottle of Pepto Bismol with all that pink. Anyway, dropped her at your mom's at eight and reminded your mom about ballet at one."


"What would I do without you?" James smiled at Chad. "Thanks. And I'll keep that in mind for her leotard, but I'm just following her ballet teacher's orders."


Chad was on his way out the door by then, "Ok. Just want our little diva to be stylish is all. I'll see you at home tonight."


"See you," James waved and went to help Kaylie and Hunter.


"Um, James," Kaylie said softly.


"Yes?" James spread mayo on a kaiser roll and then placed a large helping of roast beef on top.


"Um, I heard what you said to Chad. About his cousin's show getting canceled. And his cousin's name is Josh and I know JC Chasez on America's Best Dance Crew's real name is Josh and um, well, is that...I mean, is he...like, I mean-"
Hunter cut her off. "What she's trying to ask you is if JC is coming to town,"


"Shut up, Hunter!" Kaylie hissed. She looked at James. "I mean, is he?"
James winked at Kaylie, "I guess you'll have to wait and see."


LAX
JC hated waiting in airport lines. He should've been used to it by this many years, but he still loathed it. Even worse were the security lines. And they were always dreadful at LAX. He was listening to Coldplay on his iPod while he waited, thinking about his upcoming getaway. He'd locked up his house, given the maid an advance salary for the next month, and called a few of his friends to let them know he'd be out of town for a little bit. They didn't ask where he was going nor did he tell. He was just going and he had needed to leave a long time ago. This was a vacation he'd been craving for almost a year.


The lines started moving unusually fast and when he went through security, they didn't give him a pat down unlike the last few times he'd had to pass through. Before he knew it, he was sitting at his gate,  watching people come off the flight that had just landed. Just a connection in Dallas and then onto Atlanta until he would land in Savannah at 11:30. He'd already planned on sleeping in as late as possible Saturday morning. Nothing to get up for. No one to call about a music project, at least not now. No, he was going to rest and be with his cousin and live life in a small town, something he'd never done. He pictured himself writing lyrics in a cafe on Main Street or relaxing by the pool at Chad's new house or taking a day trip to a nearby city. He wasn't going to have a routine, at least for the first week. He was going to sleep and eat good southern food and gather his thoughts for the next month or so. 


"Flight 2001 with non-stop service to Dallas, now boarding starting with our business class members," came a voice over the intercom. JC stood and took his ticket out of his back pocket, showing it to the flight attendant who was checking people in. 


"Have a nice flight, sir," she said, as JC took his ticket, nodded at her, and then walked down the walkway towards the plane. He found his seat and immediately ordered a gin and tonic before the plane took off. Vacation was starting. Now.

Chapter 3 by Alysen Blaine


JC had woken up on his own, no alarm buzzing in his ear, at 10:00 the next morning, which just happened to be a Saturday. The house was quiet and it was only after he'd stumbled sleepily out of his room and into the hall that he heard voices coming from downstairs. The hallway connected to the balcony that looked below into the living room. He stood for a minute without being seen and watched Chad, clad in a pink boa over his pajamas and plastic crown on his head, playing with a little girl, who was also wearing a pink boa and had covered the coffee table with a pink tea set. JC assumed this must be Sutton, James' little girl that Chad had told him about on the drive home from the airport the night before. 


"No, Uncle Chad, remember Bunny Bear can't have caffeine. It keeps him awake all day and he has to have a nap at one with me," the little girl was telling Chad, as she moved a plastic tea cup away from a very oversized stuffed brown teddy bear, seated at the end of the coffee table.


"Oh, that's right! Well, what about Dolly?" Chad took the plastic tea kettle in his hand and went to pour fake tea into a cup that was in front of a doll with curly red hair and wearing a faded blue doll dress. 


"Yes, she can have some. She doesn't sleep with me," Sutton answered. JC was impressed. Although he hadn't been around many children in his lifetime, he figured most five-year-olds wouldn't know the difference in the effects of caffeine.


Just then, Chad looked up, his face turning red upon seeing JC looking at him in his dress up gear. He cleared his throat, "Oh, hi, Josh! We were, um, we were just playing tea party. This is Sutton. Sutton, remember I told you about my cousin who was coming to visit from California?"


Sutton looked up and smiled at JC, who was now leaning on the balcony banister. "Oh, yeah! Hi. I'm Sutton. Wanna come and have tea with us?"


JC tried not to smirk as hard as he knew he was, but instead just forced a smile and said, "Oh, um, sure. Be right down." He came down the stairs that emptied into the living room, which looked out onto the pool and beyond that the marshes. He awkwardly sat down at the coffee table and Chad didn't make eye contact at his cousin because they both knew JC would burst out laughing at how Chad was dressed. 


"Here," Sutton handed him a plastic teacup. "Would you like tea? Can you have caffeine?" she asked the question so professionally that JC almost forgot there wasn't any tea in the teapot. 

"Uh, um, yes, yes I would love some tea," he responded, and Sutton placed her tiny hand on top of the plastic top of the teapot and poured him some pretend tea. 


"What kind of tea is this, Sutton?" Chad asked, pretending to take a sip. "It's really good!"


"Strawberry tea," Sutton responded, not batting an eye as she placed the teapot back on the coffee table. "Be careful, Mr. Josh, it's hot."


"Oh, you can just call me Josh. Or JC. You don't have to call me 'mister'," JC told her. 


"Ok," Sutton shrugged, then looked at Chad. "When is Mommy coming home?"
Chad looked at the clock above the mounted flat screen television, which was above the fireplace.

"Not til after your nap, sweetie. Remember, she's working all day so she can take the day off to spend with you tomorrow. We'll go see her after Josh gets dressed." He looked over at JC. "I thought we could have breakfast there." Chad looked again at the clock, seeing it was nearing 10:30. "Or maybe an early lunch."


"Sure, sounds good," JC yawned. "Um, is there any, um, real coffee?" he asked in a low voice, while Sutton was fixing a bow tie on another stuffed animal.
Chad chuckled, "Yeah. In the coffee pot. I'll go grab you some. You want cream and sugar?"


"Just black, thanks," JC replied, as Chad stood to his feet and went into the kitchen.


"My mommy owns her own coffee shop," Sutton informed JC, which he already knew, but he pretended it was the first time he'd heard this bit of news. 


"Oh yeah? Do you like coffee?" he asked her, taking another sip of fake tea.


"No. I can't have any. Mommy only lets me drink stuff without caffeine. But one time Uncle Chad let me taste his coffee and it was yucky," Sutton told him. 


JC looked around the living room, which was a set of black leather couches and a recliner all set around the coffee table with a view of the pool and the television. The walls were a warm beige color and Chad had done his best to make the big space as homey as possible. It was quite cozy, JC had to admit. He had yet to see the entire house because he'd gotten in so late and with jet lag, was already craving to go to sleep as soon as he and Chad had gotten in.

 
"Here you go," Chad came back into the living room and sat down next to Sutton, handing JC his coffee mug. "I thought we might have a small little cookout tonight. I invited Lane and a few of James' friends might stop by. We can swim and have some beer and just relax."


"Sounds good to me," JC sipped his coffee. He looked over at Sutton who was now going over to a basket by the window filled with coloring books and games. She retrieved a coloring book with Cinderella on the cover and then took out a box of crayons.


"Sutton, honey, are you finished playing tea party?" Chad asked her, as she came back over to the coffee table.


"Yeah," Sutton moved aside the tea party cups and plates and opened the coloring book to the first page. "I want to color a picture for Mommy."


"That's fine, babe, but we need to clean up the tea party first," Chad told her. 
Sutton didn't whine or retort. She simply said, "Ok," and helped Chad put the tea party things back into a pink box next to the recliner. JC had never been around such a well-behaved child. Not that he'd been around that many at all, but he knew enough that when kids were told to clean up, they usually refused and pitched a fit. 


"What did I tell you last night," Chad said to JC, as Sutton focused on her coloring. "She's probably the best kid in the world. And after what James had to go through with her scumbag of a father, she deserves to have such a wonderful child like Sutton." Chad whispered the last part so that Sutton couldn't hear. 


"Where is her dad-" JC started to ask, but Chad shook his head and mouthed, "Later." 


Chad and JC talked and caught up while Sutton finished coloring her picture, which was Cinderella getting ready to go to the ball. She tore the paper along the edges so it wouldn't rip the picture and proudly displayed her work to Chad and JC. "Do you think Mommy'll like it?" Sutton asked, hopefully.


"She's going to love it, sweetie," Chad assured her.


Sutton looked at JC. "Do you like it?"


"Yeah, it's great!" JC smiled at her. "I think your mom's gonna really love it."
Sutton grinned, happy for this new stranger's approval. "Thanks!" she turned to Chad, "Should we go now?"


Chad stood to his feet. "Yes. I bet Mommy is gonna definitely want to see you and she hasn't met Josh yet. Go get dressed and we'll leave in a few minutes." Sutton scurried off up the stairs and JC could hear her padded footsteps above him as they ran in the opposite direction of his room.

Chad looked at JC. "I better warn you. James has a few teenagers that work with her at the coffee shop. One of which is obsessed with America's Best Dance Crew and was devastated when it was canceled yesterday. She definitely knows who you are so if she's there, just-"


JC cut him off, "Chad, I think I can handle a fan. I used to do this all the time. Except back then it was hoards of them. Besides, it's nice to know there are people out there who still know who I am." 


*****
Saturday was usually busy at Brewster's. Main Street in Grayson didn't have much, but during the summer there was almost always something going on. This weekend was buy one get one free at Morrie's Ice Cream Parlor, down the street from Brewster's. The small town had tried to keep their little Main Street as alive as possible, even though many local businesses had gone under in the last few years. It was a miracle that Brewster's was as popular as it was and that Morrie's, which had been opened in the fifties, was still around. But, as her mother had told James when the first anniversary of Brewster's had come and gone, "People will always want coffee and they'll always want ice cream."


Today, because of the usual Saturday crowd, James had Kaylie and Madison working again as Kelvin and Deane, two college students home for the summer, who were in the back doing inventory and coming out front when needed. By eleven, the crowd had somewhat slowed down and there were only a few people sitting in the shop.

James felt her phone vibrate in the back pocket of her jeans and quickly took it out just incase there was an emergency with Sutton. It was a text from Chad reading:


Stopping by in a few with Josh and Sutton. Might want to warn Kaylie. 


James bit on her lower lip and looked over at Kaylie, who was chatting with Madison about the latest Twilight book.


"...and I mean, obviously, I knew what was gonna happen with Bella and Edward, but I mean, after seeing Taylor Lautner in the movie, I was kind of cheering on Jacob, you know what I mean?" Madison was being polite in listening to her friend, but James could tell she was bored and had heard this before. 


"Kaylie, can I talk to you for a minute?" James interrupted them, and she thought she saw a bit of relief come across Madison's face. "Madison, do you mind checking on Kelvin and Deane and seeing if the inventory is going ok?"


"Yep," Madison nodded and went to the back.


Kaylie looked nervously up at James. "I'm so sorry. I thought we weren't busy and so-"


"You're not in trouble, girl, chill out," James giggled at her. "Now, listen, Chad and Sutton are coming over and they're bringing Josh, or I guess as you know him, JC-" Kaylie squealed. "-which is why I'm telling you now before they walk in. You cannot make a scene. You can't squeal like that or jump up and down. Just act natural. Can you do that?"


Kaylie nodded and swallowed hard, "Um, but James, what if he orders a coffee from me?"


"What do you normally do when someone orders a coffee from you?"


"I mean, I know, but it's him. And I just don't wanna spill it or something,"


James sighed and took both of Kaylie's hands in hers. "Kaylie, you'll be fine. You're one of my best workers. And he may not even order anything so you might be worrying for nothing."


"O-okay, yeah. I can do this," the way Kaylie responded, James felt as though she'd just asked her to join the Army and go fight for the country.


Just then, the bell chimed on the door and in walked Chad, Sutton, and JC. James had forgotten how attractive she'd thought JC was back years ago when she and her friends had met him backstage at an Nsync concert. Because Chad had been her best friend, he'd managed to score her four backstage passes at a concert in Atlanta. She hadn't been the biggest fan of the group, but her friends had and it had just been a fun thing to do.


"Hello, hello!" Chad said, as he walked up to the counter. Sutton immediately ran behind it to jump into James' arms.


"Hi, Mommy!" James picked Sutton up and kis

sed her cheek. "Mommy, that's Josh. He's staying with us, remember?"


James laughed softly, "Yes, baby girl, I remember." She turned to JC. "Hi, it's nice to meet you."


JC took her hand and shook it, "It's nice to meet you, too." he replied. "You've got a great place here."


"Thanks," James smiled. "It's been a fun thing to have here." She put Sutton down and the little girl ran from behind the counter back over to Chad and JC. "So, do you guys want anything? I just put some scones in the oven."


"A scone sounds lovely," Chad answered. "Josh, you want anything?"


JC looked up at the menu, which offered a variety of coffee, obviously, as well as different pastries, soups, and sandwiches. "How's the tomato bisque?"


"It's the most popular lunch item," James told him. "Want some?"

 
"Sure," JC went to get his wallet out, but James stopped him.


"Are you kidding? You don't have to pay. Friends and family discount," she winked at him. "Kaylie, can you please get a cup of tomato bisque for me?" Kaylie, who had been gawking the entire time at JC, shook herself out of her trance.


"Um, yeah. I can," she scurried over to the pot of soup next to the espresso machine and nervously dipped out a ladle of soup into a small soup cup. She brought it over to JC and before she could say anything, JC said, "So, you must be Kaylie."


Kaylie gasped. "H-how did you know?"


"I told him you were a big fan," Chad replied. 


Kaylie blushed. "I, um, er, I mean, yeah, yeah I am!" she cleared her throat nervously. "And I'm so sorry your show is canceled! I think it's so dumb that they wanna do game shows again or whatever. And I heard on Twitter this morning that Christina Aguilera is getting her own reality show. She is such a -"


"Thank you, Kaylie. That's enough," James shot a look at her. 


"Oh, I'm not upset. I mean, the show was great, but it's nice to be able to get away whenever I want now. Like I couldn't have come here if I was still doing the show. So it works out, you know?" JC smiled at Kaylie, who blushed even harder.  He turned to James and Chad. "Now, I'm gonna go sit and enjoy this soup that smells so good." He nodded at both of them and then went to retrieve a table by the window.


"I am so embarrassed!" Kaylie shrieked into her hands. "James, I'm so so so sorry! I don't know what got into me, I just-"


"It's okay," James patted Kaylie's shoulder. "But he'll probably be in here a few more times before he leaves. Just practice acting natural. And please don't insult other celebrities in front of him. I think he's friends with Christina Aguilera."


"No, not since she insulted one of his friends on The Voice-" Kaylie started to say, then saw the way that both Chad and James were looking at her. "Okay, yeah. I got it." 

Chapter 4 by Alysen Blaine


By the end of the day, James was more than ready to get home, change into her swimsuit, and do nothing but sip a glass of wine and relax by the pool for the rest of the evening. After Chad, JC, and Sutton had left, the lunch crowd began to hoard in and soon, there was a long line almost out the door. This made both Kaylie and Madison nervous and so Kelvin and Deane had had to come and take over the cash register. After that, the espresso machine suddenly went crazy and it was almost an hour before there were espresso drinks able to be made.  On top of that, Madison, who'd only worked the register once, had messed up four coffee drinks in a row once the espresso machine was fixed and James had ended up having to refund two customers. By the time Lesly came in at 2, James had almost reached her breaking point. She was normally pretty even-keeled, but today had been enough to drive anyone crazy.


"Go home, get wine. That's your only job," Lesly had told James, as she made her way to the cash register. 


"Thanks, Les," James smiled gratefully at Lesly, grabbing her purse and keys and heading towards the door.

The drive home took fifteen minutes and gave James plenty of time to think about the events of the day. Literally, the only bright spot was when Chad had brought in JC and Sutton. And then of course, that got her to thinking about JC and how attractive he was. There was no denying that and she knew any female alive who had eyes could see how good looking he was. But James had shut off that part of her brain a long time ago. When Clay had left the picture, James swore she would not let herself get hurt again like that. Yes, he'd been a jerk and yes, there were things about him that her friends had wondered what James had ever seen in him, but at the end of the day, he was the father of her child and the only man she'd ever allowed herself to love. So it was clear that she would not be letting herself go past anything with JC other than thinking he was physically attractive. And of course there was Sutton to think about and she knew most guys ran the other way when they found out a child would come with the package, so there was no point in even thinking JC would ever be interested. Not to mention the most obvious thing and that was that JC was only here temporarily. 


Upon entering the house, she could hear the television on and voices in the living room. She spotted Sutton on the couch, JC sitting next to her, and they were very involved in watching an episode of Dora the Explorer. She heard Sutton telling JC who each character was and what they did and occasionally repeating what Dora had said on the television. James tried not to gape at the scene in front of her. She couldn't remember ever seeing Sutton so comfortable meeting someone so fast. Usually, her daughter shied away from strangers and the only men she'd ever carried on a conversation with was James' father and of course, Chad. Lane had been trying to get to know Sutton as well, but she was still not completely open to him. James wondered if Sutton would have been watching Dora with Lane like she was with JC. 


"Hi, Mommy," Sutton pulled James out of her trance. "Look, Josh is watching Dora with me!" Sutton crawled off the couch and went to give her mother a hug.


"I see that," James kissed Sutton on the top of her head, then looked up at JC. "I'm sorry if this is boring you. Where's Chad?"


JC shook his head. "Not at all. I've often wondered what the fuss was about Dora. Didn't know she taught kids Spanish," he chuckled. "Oh, and Chad ran to the store to get meat for tonight. He should be back any minute."

James walked over to the couch opposite JC and sat down, Sutton crawling into her lap. She leaned her head against the back of the couch and let out a sigh.

"So, how was work?" JC asked her, noticing how tired she seemed.


"Crazy after you left," James replied. "Espresso machine broke, there were tons of people today, I had to do refunds on drinks. It was just really stressful."


"You don't want to take a nap? I don't think anyone's going to start arriving until later this afternoon," JC said.


"Speaking of naps, did you get one?" James ignored his question for a minute and looked down at Sutton, who nodded absentmindedly, still transfixed on Dora.


"She slept for an hour. Just woke up a few minutes before you got here," JC answered. 


"I'll be fine, thanks for asking," James told him. "You should go sleep, though. There's a three hour difference and I'm sure you're feeling it."


JC shrugged. "I'm feeling okay right now. Maybe I'll head to bed early tonight."


At that moment, the front door opened and they heard Chad shuffling grocery bags around as he walked into the living room. "Kroger was a nightmare. I don't care if they call it Super Kroger or not, if they're going to have it be all super, they should have more cash registers on hand!" Chad greeted them, as he carried the bags into the kitchen. "James, dear, there are more bags in the car. Would you mind-"


James stood up, "Nope. Going now." 


"I can help," JC followed her outside. "So, have you met Lane?" he asked James, as they began to get the rest of the groceries out of Chad's trunk.


"Yes. A few times. He was a big time lawyer in Atlanta and was sick of the big city scene, so he came down here and opened his own law firm, which just happens to be next door to Chad's office," James shut the trunk and she and JC walked back towards the front door. "He's really great. And Chad's mom actually approves."


Chad's mother had been in denial about her son's sexuality since he'd come out after his and James' senior year of high school. She would tell people, "Yes, he's still gay, but I have the most delightful girl that I'm sure will change his mind!" or "Chad's going through a phase but I think he's almost outgrown it." It used to infuriate Chad but he'd grown used to the fact that his mother was not accepting of his lifestyle. After numerous dates with girls to appease her, James had finally told him to stop trying to please her and just be who he was going to be. Lane had been the first guy that Chad was serious about in a long time and his mother finally relinquished and had met Lane a few weeks ago. She was immediately taken by him and told Chad she was looking forward to see where this led. Chad's father, was not as accepting, and had shunned his son and his lifestyle and their relationship was pretty rocky.


"It's about time," JC said, as they slowly walked onto the front porch of the house. "I'm looking forward to meeting him tonight."


If there was one thing Chad was good at, besides his ability to redecorate a house in two days, it was throwing parties, even the smallest of parties. He made sure he had four different kinds of meat - hamburgers, all lean hotdogs, sirloin tips, and lamb chops - and had even bought out the entire produce department at Kroger, or so it seemed to James, because their counter was laden with a plethora of different vegetables. There were also several varieties of potato chips, sodas and beer, and Chad had gone down to the basement pulled six bottles of wine, three of which were from 1999. 


"And this is just a casual cookout," JC had said to James, as they helped Chad set up a few chairs outside. "I can't imagine what he does for a real party."


James fondly remembered their Christmas party, in which Chad had hired a party planner and had turned the whole living room into Santa's Workshop. Sutton had been beside herself and James was a little worried when the time came to tell her daughter Santa didn't exist because after that night, Sutton was positive that she was Santa's favorite and that he'd come every year to party at her house before Christmas Eve came. 


"Oh, it's..interesting, to say the least," James replied, with a soft chuckle. 


By 5:30 that afternoon, everything was ready to go and James had forgotten how exhausted and stressed she'd been just a few hours before. She helped Sutton change into a Smurfette bathing suit and then went upstairs to put on denim shorts over her swimsuit bottoms and a green tankini top. Both of them came downstairs at the same time to see JC being introduced to Lane outside by the pool. Sutton ran ahead of James outside and immediately jumped into the pool. 


"Well, Sutton's ready to swim," Chad laughed, as he broke his conversation with Lane and JC. "I'd better go turn on the water slide." He went over to the side of the house and in a minute, water began coming down from a white slide built into a rock formation that went into the pool. Sure enough, Sutton squealed with delight and went to start climbing the steps that led to the top of the slide.


"You were right," JC said to James, as they went to grab a beer. "Lane's a keeper. Really cool guy. I think this could be it for Chad."


"I hope so," James nodded. "He's been through hell with a lot of former flings." They went over to two lawn chairs by the pool so that James could keep an eye on Sutton. She took a long sip of beer and placed it next to her chair. "So, what do you think of little ol' Grayson so far?"


JC smiled, "Yeah, it's nice. I really like it."


"Really? Even compared with life in L.A.?"


"L.A. gets old after a while. You can only go out to the same clubs so many times or the same restaurants. I dunno, maybe some people like that, but I'm just kind of over it," he sipped his beer. "I'm sure you can do the same kind of stuff here. Dinner and dancing is everywhere."


James laughed, "Yeah, I guess if you count Ruby's Round-up at the edge of town. People go there for line dance night on Thursdays because it's Ladies Night. And we have three restaurants. Four if you count mine."


"But you like it, right?" JC said softly. "I mean, you don't mind living in it. I mind living in L.A. right now. I don't know why. I guess I just want change. I've lived there almost since the band broke up and I'm ready to move on."


"Where do you want to go?" James picked up her beer and went to take a sip. "If you could just pack up and go, where would you go?"


JC shrugged and looked around. "I don't know. Orlando. Maybe Miami. DC cause I grew up there. Or here. Here is nice."


"Here? Really? Josh, I feel like after being in L.A. for so long, you might get tired of here after a while." She stood up. "I'm gonna go get some chips. You want anything?"


JC shook his head. "Not right now." He watched her leave and then looked back at the beer in his hands. He'd been thinking about her since he met her and knew that was stupid. Normally, when he met a girl he found attractive, nothing stopped him from pursuing her. In fact, if this had been L.A., he'd have probably already asked her on a date. But there was a lot from keeping him from the pursuit. For one, she had a daughter and not that that was a bad thing, but he wanted to find out the situation with Sutton's father before he did anything. If the guy was still in the picture, he wanted to make sure all of that was done, although from what Chad had said earlier, it probably was. Then there was the fact that James and Chad were best friends and even though he was pretty sure that Chad would be ecstatic, he knew that if anything happened with him and James and it didn't work out, it would be awkward for all of them involved. And besides, he had sworn after his last break-up he'd get to know the person before just jumping into bed with them much less a date right away. 


Then again, he would be here for a whole month. And that, he figured, was plenty of time to get to know a person.

Chapter 5 by Alysen Blaine


It was nearly midnight when everyone had left. Chad came in from saying goodnight to Lane and saw JC laying on the couch, almost half-asleep, flipping through television channels with the remote. Chad plopped down next to him and playfully slapped JC's knee. "Did you have fun?" he asked.


"Yeah," JC yawned. "Lane's really cool. And it was fun to get to know other people." 


JC paused, but before he could say anything, Chad cut him off, "And to get to know James?" he raised an eyebrow at his cousin. JC tried to object, but was so tired, he gave up at once. "I figured you might hit it off with her." Chad leaned back into the sofa. "Where is she anyway?"


"Asleep. We finished cleaning up around the grill and she was exhausted so I told her to go to sleep and you and I would finish," JC yawned again and rubbed his eyes. "So before I fall asleep, let's get to it."


"No, we can finish tomorrow," Chad told him. "Now, first thing's first. Was it reciprocated?"


"With James? Hell if I know. I doubt she's even thought about anything. We only met today," JC replied. "And I already told myself I wouldn't rush anything next time. I'm tired of just going from one relationship to the next."


"Yeah, I guess. But I don't think a date with her would be so bad. Just one. The Shrimp Festival is next week. You could ask her tomorrow and then she'd have time to schedule in a shift that didn't conflict," Chad suggested. 


"What the hell is a shrimp festival?" JC mused, laughing.


"It's what we hicks get our kicks on," Chad responded, using a fake Southern drawl, which, JC thought, he didn't really have to fake as much. "It's different booths selling shrimp set up and down Main Street and there's arts and crafts and live bands, usually some wanna-be country star here in Grayson, and the whole town comes out for it. James loves it and I'm sure if you asked her to go with you, she wouldn't think of it as a date but just two friends, going out, maybe kissing at the end of the night..." Chad trailed off and JC groaned and threw a pillow at his cousin. 


"That sounds like a date to me," he said. "Well, whatever. I don't know if I will or not. There's still a lot I don't know about the ex."


"Who? Clay?" Chad sighed and then continued. "He was a scumbag. He and James dated all through college. I met him once and detested everything about him. He was a former football player and acted as though he was about to be drafted for the NFL when he couldn't even get a scholarship or walk-on anywhere. Anyway, he was a jerk, he treated James terribly, cheated on her almost the whole time they dated, and when she found out she was pregnant, well, let's just say it wasn't pretty."


JC looked at his cousin seriously. "Did he, well, hurt her?"


Chad shrugged. "I think so. But James has never told me either way. I think now she's just glad to be away from him and her main priority is Sutton," Chad stood and went to finish cleaning up the food on the kitchen counter. JC followed him.


"Does he see Sutton?" he asked, helping Chad wipe down the counter.


"Clay? No. James didn't want him to have anything to do with the baby after they broke up. He wasn't too thrilled anyway when she told him," Chad put a few bottles of beer in the refrigerator. 


"Does Sutton ever ask about him?" JC squeezed out the wet cloth he'd used to wipe off the counters and started to load the dishwasher.


"I think she might have in the past but not so much anymore. Last we all heard, Clay had gone up north and I don't think she's heard from him since she was a few months pregnant with Sutton," Chad took a glass down from the cabinet and filled it with water from the Brita filter. "So, now that you know all about him, you know that there's no involvement on either part and now you can ask her out!"


JC chuckled and shook his head, "We'll see. I'm going to bed now. See you tomorrow," and he left the kitchen and headed for the staircase.


*****
It was Tuesday before JC brought up the Shrimp Festival to James. On Sunday, James and Sutton had spent the day together getting ice cream at Morrie's and then going to visit James' parents for the rest of the day. Monday, James worked early and when she got home, Chad and Lane had invited JC out for drinks at Ruby's Round-Up and they were gone until the wee hours of the morning. Finally, on Tuesday, Chad and JC paid a visit to Brewster's after dropping off Sutton at ballet. Because Chad was more or less his own boss, he could take off whenever he felt and decided that he'd take off all week since he'd technically be working that upcoming weekend.


When Chad and JC walked into Brewster's, Kaylie was manning the cash register, Hunter was stocking coffee items out front, and Madison was reshelving pastries. Kaylie let out a small gasp when she looked up to see JC. Chad didn't wait for her to freak out, he simply said, "Hi, Kaylie. Where's James?"


"She-she's in the back. Want me to go and get her?" Kaylie stumbled over her words, still trying to remain as professional as possible. Hunter rolled his eyes at her as he watched Kaylie's interaction. 


"That would be lovely, thanks," Chad winked at her and he and JC took a seat at a table near the counter. It was pretty quiet due to it being Tuesday at 2:00pm. Most customers would come in after work or during their lunch break. 2:00 in the afternoon was prime for coming and visiting and Chad knew it.


James walked out a few seconds later and smiled when she saw Chad and JC.

"Hey, guys!" she took out three scones from the shelf and came from around the counter, joining them at the table. "Did you get Sutton to ballet on time?"


"Of course," Chad answered. "You're right about that ballet gear. That whole room looks like pink threw up everywhere. Does her instructor know they make ballet costumes in other colors besides pink?"


James laughed, "Her ballet instructor is about 75-years-old. I'm surprised she still wants to volunteer her time to work with kids at all!" She turned to JC. "How've you been? I feel like I haven't seen either of you much since the party."


"Chad's kept us busy, that's for sure," JC said. "We went to Ruby's last night. I think every hick this side of Georgia was there."


James nodded, "Yep. Typical. Chad, I'm surprised you and Lane stooped so low as to even step foot in Ruby's!"


"Well, just trying to give Josh here some local color," Chad stood to his feet. "I'm going to the restroom. Be right back."


James smiled at JC. "So, other than Ruby's, what else have you done in the last two days?" She took a bite of a scone. "I'm sure it was a little different than all those fancy shmancy clubs in L.A., huh?"


JC chuckled, "Well, a little. Ruby was there serving drinks."


"Oh my gosh, she's still alive?!" James gasped. "When I was in high school that woman was in and out of the hospital with oxygen problems. I thought she'd passed away awhile ago."


"Very much alive," JC nodded and cleared his throat, "Hey, um, the Shrimp Festival I hear is a big deal." He figured he could go ahead and segue into asking her out. It was now or never. Or it was now or tomorrow, but he preferred now. 


"Yeah, it's this weekend! I love the Shrimp Festival. It's so much fun. We're having a booth there this year all weekend," James said. 


"Huh, really? Cool," JC thought before he spoke. "So, um, do you have to work the whole weekend at it?"


James shook her head, "No. I think I scheduled myself for a few hours on each day. Why?"


JC let out a sigh and ran his hand through his hair. "Well, I didn't know if maybe you'd want to meet up after one of your shifts? You know, just to walk around together or something." He could feel himself blushing and felt stupid. Walk around together or something? That sounded as if he were in high school. Maybe he should've consulted with Chad first about how to prose this. No, that was dumb. It was asking someone out. That was it.  He looked up to see James grinning.


"I would love that," she answered. "I work on Saturday until four. I'm pretty sure the booth is going to be just in front of the shop. But we can work out details later. And I'll see if Sutton can spend the day with my parents."


Chad came back from the restroom and sat joined them. "James, maybe you should go tell Morrie how to clean a bathroom. It's almost pristine it's so clean." 


James, who had been nearly gazing at JC, shook herself from her daydream and stood up. "Yes. Thanks. Ok, I need to go back to work. I'll get Sutton on my way home." It had been so long since she'd been asked out on a date (that's what this was, right?) that she was having trouble completing a thought. 


"Ok, doll," Chad smirked and looked at JC as James headed for the back of the shop. "You asked her, didn't you?"


JC winked at his cousin. "Yeah, I did."


"And she said yes?"


"She did. Saturday at four,"


"Way to go," Chad stood and the two men walked outside.

Chapter 6 by Alysen Blaine


The rest of the week James spent prepping for Brewster's booth to be ready to open for the Shrimp Festival at 3pm on Friday. Between that and her upcoming date with JC, she hadn't slept very much in the last few nights. She also had rarely seen JC at all because after work she spent getting ready for the festival. She hadn't told anyone at work about her date, and was especially careful to allude to any of it, particularly around Kaylie, who she figured would go and Tweet something about her boss having a date with JC Chasez.


Chad left for Atlanta with Lane late Friday afternoon. James had dropped Sutton off at her parents that morning to spend the weekend since she'd be at the Shrimp Festival most of the weekend. Her mother had been thrilled when James had told her about her pending date with JC, although James assumed it wasn't just because it was JC, rather, it was a man asking Mrs. Ryan's only daughter out and James knew her mother had worried about her and Sutton from the time James had discovered she was pregnant. 


Saturday came before James knew it. She wasn't supposed to be at the booth until 8:30 that morning, but because she knew she had to look especially nice, she'd gotten up earlier. She went through her closet three or four times before finally deciding on a black cotton sundress that she paired with capri black leggings and red flip flops to pop some color. She tucked her makeup bag in her purse before she left so that she could re-apply mid-afternoon. She wondered if her co-workers would suspect anything because normally they wore jeans and a t-shirt with Brewster's logo on it. If anything, she could say she was the owner and felt like dressing up. Besides, the gig would be up when JC came to meet up with her later.


James left a note on the kitchen counter before she left, giving JC instructions as to where Chad's spare key was to his Jeep Wrangler, which hardly had been driven since Chad had bought his dream car, some sort of Audi sports car that James could never remember the name of. She reminded JC in the note about where her booth would be (in front of the shop) and that she'd see him at 4:00 that afternoon. She was thankful she worked in a coffee shop. She was definitely going to need coffee to stay awake all day. Either that or run on adrenaline.


Main Street was already bustling with activity by 8:00 that morning. The booths didn't open until 9, but a few broke the rules and started selling their goods by 8:30 and because the festival had been going on for so long, people knew which booths to hit early.  When she got to the shop, Kaylie and Hunter were both waiting outside, both nearly falling asleep against the side of the wall outside.


"Late night?" James chuckled, as she took her keys out and opened the door.


"There was a party last night at this guy, Kirby Brown's house. It ran a little late," Hunter mumbled. "Madison's on her way." 


"Just make sure you're up for a busy morning," James reminded them, as they all walked into the coffee shop. James immediately began to get things ready to take back outside and put Hunter and Kaylie on duty at the booth until 12, when Deane and Kelvin would be coming in to take over.  James would man the booth with Madison and then Lesly would come to relieve Madison at 12 as well. 


The morning seemed to drag for James and she knew it was only because she was anxious about what lie ahead at 4:00. She'd been thinking about it all week and several times had told herself it wasn't a real date. But Chad had told her she was being stupid, that of course it was a real date, and to stop second guessing everything, which James knew she had a tendency to do. She focused on pouring coffee, getting pastries, and making sandwiches and tried not to let her mind wander too far, but she couldn't help not to. JC had wanted to go to the Shrimp Festival with her. Granted, he hadn't really met anyone else, but still. She could think of about five girls she went to college with that would have killed to be in her shoes back when Nsync was the most famous musical act in the world. And then she started doubting herself. JC had been everywhere, he'd seen a lot of stuff, and she knew he'd dated a lot of women. James had had two relationships, one in high school that lasted for a year and then the horrible three-year relationship with Clay that had produced Sutton, but also had given her a negative view on men for a while. It was just a date, just one date. That was it. She tried to reason with herself by repeating the mantra in her head. But when she looked at the clock and saw it was 3:30, her heart began to race and she wondered if she was going to make a huge mistake by going out with him. She'd been hurt by Clay so bad that she wondered if her heart would ever be honest with her again.
**

JC got into Chad's jeep and rested his head on the steering wheel before he started the engine. Chad had talked with him a few nights before, giving him a small warning that James' heart was pretty raw and that she had been hurt a lot in the past. He wasn't trying to lecture JC, but Chad knew James better than anyone and he knew how vulnerable she was feeling about this date. 


"Look, I'm not saying not to pursue her because I really think you two would be great together. All I'm saying is that if you are going to pursue her to just be careful," Chad had said. "I know she's not expecting you to proclaim your love for her on your first date, but tomorrow morning if you wake up and decide you don't want to take her out again, tell her."


"I will," JC had answered. "The last thing I want to do is hurt her."


"Then just be honest with her," Chad's reply. "Honesty is really important to James. I'm pretty sure all Clay did was lie to her about everything so if she knows she can trust you, you're golden."


JC kept replaying that conversation in his head as he drove towards the center of town. He replayed it as he parked the car at the edge of Main Street. He replayed it walking down Main Street, now adorned with booths all selling a plethora of crafts, arts, homemade jams and jellies, and then he saw the familiar Brewster's logo in front of one of the booths and regained his composure. 


"Hi, how are you," a young college aged girl greeted him, he assumed Deane. "Can I get you an iced latte? It's a Brewster's specialty!"


"No, thank you. I'm actually looking for James," JC replied, with a smile. 


The girl nodded, "Sure thing. She's in the shop. I can go get her or -"


"Actually, I'll just go in to the shop. Thanks. I might come back later for that latte," JC said, as he walked up on the sidewalk and into the coffee shop. James was standing behind the counter, her back turned from him, talking with another employee.


"Hey," JC greeted her and she immediately turned around.


"Hi!" James grinned at him, and took off her apron. "Les, are you sure you can handle this?"


"Yes, I'm fine," Lesly told her, shaking her head. James had finally let it slip to Lesly where she was going at 4:00. "Y'all have a fun time. I'll see you on Monday."


"Sure thing," James waved at Lesly and then walked from behind the counter over to JC. "Ready to see the best Shrimp Festival in the world?"


"Are there competing ones?" JC teased her, and James rolled her eyes playfully.


"If there are, they can't compete with ours!" she answered him and they walked outside. 


James started off by starting at the beginning of Main and showing JC some of the more famous booths that had been a staple at the festival for years. On the way down, she pointed out the different buildings, some of which had just been renovated to loft apartments and offices, like Chad's and Lane's. JC was actually interested in this bit of history and James was at ease with how easy they were conversing back and forth with one another. It didn't take long to walk through the entire festival, which ended with a stage set up at the end of Main Street and a large spray painted placard that read "The Big'un Lester Band."


"What's a big'un?" JC asked as they walked closer to the stage.


"You mean who is Big'un," James corrected him, waiting for him to gawk, which he promptly did.


"Big'un's a name?!" JC had heard of some strange names in his lifetime, but not ever Big'un.


"Well it's a nickname. Big'un Lester's first name is Brian Lester, but, well, he's a little on the larger side and so we've just always called him Big'un," James explained.


"You know him?" JC was still in shock and kept looking at the sign as though he expected it to change.


"Oh, sure. He was a year behind me in high school. He's had his band forever. They perform every year. They're kind of famous here in Grayson. Not anywhere else, mind you, but Grayson is as good as they're gonna get," James said.


"Are they any good?" JC asked her.


James shrugged, "You're a singer, you tell me. He's performing in a half hour. We could go get some shrimp and then come back and listen," she suggested, to which JC agreed.


They walked back towards one of the shrimp booths and JC ordered a platter of fried shrimp and french fries. James ordered boiled shrimp and fries and they both found a picnic table nearby to squeeze into. At that moment, James looked up and saw Kaylie and Madison walking toward them, both with plates of fried shrimp. Kaylie waved excitedly when she saw James and then blushed when she saw JC. 


"Hi!" Kaylie walked over to them, Madison behind her. "We're about to listen to Big'un. How do you like the Shrimp Festival?" Kaylie asked JC.


"It's definitely like nothing else I've ever been to. Lots of fun," JC smiled at her. 


"Have you been here since you got off work?" James asked.


"No, we went back to Kaylie's and took a nap. We're supposed to meet up with Hunter and some other people from school before Big'un plays," Madison answered.


Kaylie was suspiciously looking from James to JC and back and then blurted, "Wait a minute. Are y'all on a date?!" 


"Kaylie!" Madison gasped and shook her head. "Why do you always think that just because a guy and a girl are out together that automatically puts them on a date?"


JC looked at James and winked before he said, "Actually, we are on a date."


"But please don't Tweet about it!" James put in. 


"I'll make sure she doesn't," Madison assured them. "Ok, c'mon Kaylie, let's go find the others."  The girls said good-bye and then trailed off, Kaylie glancing back every now and then.


"Welcome to Grayson. Can't ever do a damn thing on the sly or you'll get found out," James sighed, peeling a shrimp.


JC shrugged. "Oh well. Doesn't matter. I'm cool if you are."


James wanted to remind JC that he didn't have to go back to work on Monday and face what was sure to be a roll of questions from Kaylie. But she didn't and told herself she'd think about that later.

They finished eating and then walked back over to the staging area. A light breeze had started to blow and James shivered. Before she could protest, JC took off his denim jacket and put it around her shoulders, leaving his arm draped around her back. 


The music started to play and out walked one of the tallest and also, widest, men JC had ever seen. He wore ripped blue jeans, a t-shirt with the Confederate flag proudly on display and a bandana tied around his large forehead. The crowd went wild, except for James who clapped softly. His first song was awful. JC could hardly believe this guy was so popular around here. The notes were flat and the song, if that's what you wanted to call it, was all about Big'un's pet blood hound, Doo, who lived a long life and had to be put down but that Big'un would meet him at the pearly gates.


When the song ended, James turned around to look up at JC and they both tried not to burst out laughing. "Is he serious with that?" JC asked, as the crowd yet again went wild. 


"Unfortunately, yes," James laughed. "We don't have to stay for anymore. C'mon, let's go get ice cream."


They walked back down Main Street in the opposite direction and could hear Big'un wailing about a lost love who'd left him for a rich Atlanta man.


Main Street wasn't nearly as crowded by now, as most people were down by the staging area or leaving. They got ice cream and found an empty spot on the curb and sat down.


"This is fun, James," JC said, after taking a bite of ice cream. "I mean it. I'm having a great time."


"I'm glad. Me, too," James smiled. "I'm glad you wanted me to show you the Shrimp Festival. I love it. I know it's cheesy and they have the same stuff and the entertainment is terrible," they both laughed at that, "but it's just a reminder of when I was little and my parents would bring me here every year. Sutton loves it, too."


"She's a great kid," JC told her. "I haven't been around kids a lot. I was a little nervous when Chad told me I'd be sharing the house with a five-year-old. But she's awesome."


"I think she thinks the same of you," James licked her strawberry cone. "She told me you liked playing with her and Uncle Chad. That means a lot. She's not had a lot of men in her life, other than my dad and obviously Chad."


JC waited before he asked his next question. "Do you mind me asking what happened? I mean, Chad's told me a little, but, well, never mind. If it's too soon and not a first date thing, I get it."


"No, it's fine," James assured him. She sighed and took another bite of ice cream. "I met Clay in college. He was a charmer and won me right away. But about three months into the relationship, I caught him making out with another girl at a party. I tried to break up with him, but he assured me he was drunk and would never do it again and like an idiot, I believed him." James sighed again, forgetting how difficult it was to bring up her past. "And so this continued more or less for the rest of my college career and then into graduate school. When I got the job in Orlando, he was furious and didn't want me to go, but I knew it was for the best. We'd more or less broken up when he came to see me. But unfortunately, he was a charmer, like I said, and we slept together that weekend. I found out I was pregnant with Sutton two months later. We'd kept in touch, but I knew the relationship was over. But you know, when it's the father of your baby, you want to think he might come back around or at least I did." James paused. 


She wondered if she should continue. No one knew about the fight she'd had with Clay that night he'd come back to Orlando and she'd told him she was pregnant. She looked at JC and saw the concern in his eyes. She was risking a lot by telling him because she hadn't ever brought it up. "I-well, anyway, so he came to Orlando again and I told him I was pregnant. And he hit me. He threw me against the wall and just kept hitting me." James closed her eyes and shook her head. "And I kept telling him to stop, that I was pregnant and I didn't want him to hurt the baby, but he didn't. He left and I called the ambulance because I was pretty bad and I was worried that he'd hurt the baby." James felt herself tearing up at the fright she was conjuring up from so long ago. She quickly wiped her eyes and continued, "But thank God the baby was fine and I just had a lot of bruises. I didn't leave the house for a good week. The hospital wanted me to file charges but I didn't want to. I knew that would just bring him back around and I wanted him gone and away from me forever."


"James," JC pulled her to him. "I shouldn't have asked you. I'm so sorry that happened to you."


"It's okay," she slowly pulled away from him. "If it hadn't of happened, he could've weasled his way back into my life. But he didn't. And I have the most amazing little girl in the world and he doesn't."

James could feel JC's eyes still on her. She looked up and felt his lips crash down onto hers.

Chapter 7 by Alysen Blaine

**
JC didn't want to pull away. Kissing James wasn't something he'd planned and yet, it felt like the most natural thing in the world. He could tell she felt the same because the kiss was reciprocated. James gently leaned away from him and they both smiled, resting their foreheads against each other.


"I'm sorry," JC whispered.


"You don't need to be sorry," James assured him. She placed her fingers on his cheek and he leaned in again, capturing her lips with his. The streets were empty now but even if they'd been full of people, James didn't care. She hadn't been kissed in so long, she was surprised she even knew what to do.

Finally, they stood and JC pulled her into his arms, kissing the top of her head. They didn't speak, just looked down Main Street towards the staging area. Cheers for Big'un Lester could still be heard, but other than that, it was as if they were they only people in downtown Grayson. Neither wanted to move. It was perfect just holding one another like they were doing. 


"James, I want to take you out again," JC said. "Would that be okay?"

He felt James nod beneath him. "Yeah," she replied, "I'd really like that."


They broke apart, and JC linked his fingers through James' and she led him to Brewster's, which had been locked up for the night. "What are we doing here?" he asked. "Did you forget something?"


"No," James shook her head. "I just thought it might be nice to have a coffee with you. Just the two of us."


JC smiled. "Yeah, that sounds great."


James unlocked the door and then locked it back once they were both inside. She went to the Mac that was locked under the cash register, turned it on, and soon the Jack Johnson station was quietly playing overhead. She made two mochas and took them over to the table by the window, where JC was sitting and sat across from him. 


They sat and talked until almost two in the morning. Sharing stories about Chad, laughing about pranks that JC had pulled on his bandmates during Nsync's heyday, awful dates that he'd been on. Occasionally, he'd reach across the table simply to peck her cheek or lips, and James would have to tell herself not to blush because a part of her still couldn't believe she was sitting here on a date with a guy she'd known for a week and that she'd spilled to him her deepest, darkest secret. It almost seemed too good to be true but it wasn't.


Finally, they left, both in separate cars but headed to the same destination. When they got to the house, James realized that they were the only ones that were home. JC followed her upstairs and to her bedroom and they immediately fell onto her bed and began kissing. Pretty soon, James realized that if she didn't stop, she might do something she'd regret. 


"I-I'm sorry, Josh. I have to stop," she gasped, as he attacked her neck. "It's not you. I just, I can't do this on the first date."


JC kissed her lips softly. "It's okay, James. I wasn't expecting any of this." He sat up and pulled his shirt back over his head. 


"Are you mad?" James bit on her lower lip and looked at him questioningly. 


"Not at all. I promise," JC squeezed her hand. Obviously, he'd wished to do a lot more in his head, but after she'd explained her past and the fact that this was the first time they'd ever been out, he knew tonight was not the night for anymore than the heated make out session that had just ensued.

 He kissed her quickly again and stood to his feet. "Breakfast tomorrow morning?"
James giggled, "It is tomorrow morning."


"Okay, then. Lunch?" He walked towards her door.


"Yeah. I'll see you then," she told him. "Goodnight."


James' head was spinning as she laid in bed. All she could picture was JC kissing her over and over again. And how much she'd wanted to sleep with him was almost too much. It didn't help that they'd be sharing a house for at least the next three weeks. It suddenly hit her that in three weeks, he might be gone. But then again, he'd said the other day he didn't really care for L.A. and that he really liked Grayson. She didn't want to fall for a man that might possibly move back across the country again. But it was too late. She had definitely fallen.


JC opened his eyes to see the clock on his phone reading 11:30am. He had slept like a baby after leaving James' room. He'd be lying if he said he hadn't wanted more last night. When she had pulled away, a part of him wanted to try and talk her into it, but he couldn't manipulate because God knew she'd been manipulated enough in the past. But it certainly made for sweet dreams of passion about her, that was for sure. He went downstairs and saw James in the kitchen pouring pancake batter onto a skillet.


"Hey," he said and sat down on a bar stool. 


James turned and smiled at him. "Hey. I hope you like pancakes,"


"Love 'em," JC yawned. He watched her finish pouring the last of the pancake batter and then taking down a green mug from the cabinet and filling it up with coffee. She went over to him and placed the coffee in front of him. Before she turned to leave, JC had playfully grabbed her and kissed her. "I like kissing you," he mumbled between kisses. "A lot. I wish I could've just taken your lips back to bed with me last night."


James giggled and broke away from him, "I like kissing you, too," she said, although part of her wanted to blurt, "That's not all you wanted," but refrained. 

JC let her go and she went to finish the pancakes. "James, I hope you don't think I was too much. I mean, I didn't go into last night expecting anything except shrimp and a walk down Main Street."


"I know, Josh. You're not that type of guy. I really knew when I told you I didn't want to do anything else last night and you respected that. A lot of guys I know wouldn't have cared what I said," James slid the pancakes off the skillet and onto a plate. 


"I was wondering if you'd wanna go out tomorrow night after you got off work?" JC asked. He wanted to make sure she knew he wasn't just after a piece of meat. He would date her properly. The kissing would just be a bonus.


James hesitated. She wanted to go, but the fact that she knew his stay here was temporary was bothering her. "Yeah, it's just, ok, let's go outside and eat by the pool and I'll tell you what I've been thinking."


JC looked a bit surprised, "Okay..." 


They settled down at the picnic table under the awning by the pool and JC waited to dig in until James had spoken. "I'm just, well, I guess I'm just a little worried. I really like you, Josh. I want to go out with you tomorrow night, I do. I just know that you're leaving eventually and I don't want to get into something that is going to leave me hurt when you fly back to California."


"That's a valid concern," JC agreed. "And I totally understand. But what if something or someone caused me to stay? I wasn't looking for you or anything like this when I came out here, but look what happened. I don't know when I'm going back but it's not going to be anytime soon or maybe ever. I can't tell you, but I do know that this-" he waved his hand between him and James - "is something I do know could have a lot of potential. So can you just trust me? Just go out with me tomorrow night again and we'll take it a day at a time."


"One day at a time," James repeated. "Yeah, okay." She could do one day at a time. But her heart and her head were still not agreeing. She was still scared of being hurt.

Chapter 8 by Alysen Blaine

One Month Later
Three little words. That was all they were. And he'd said them to her last night. James never realized how simple it was to respond "I love you, too" until last night when they'd been sitting by the pool, their feet hanging over the side in the water, and JC had looked at her, paused and whispered, "I love you."  Her response was automatic, but heartfelt. She really did love him. She had fallen fast and she knew it, but with her whole heart, she knew. She loved him, too. 
It had felt right for him to come back to her bedroom with her later. It had felt even more right as they both crawled beneath the sheets, gently tearing off clothes, and then, holding each other tightly as they made love. James couldn't remember the last time she'd felt like this. Yes, probably with Clay, but this was different. Much different. It felt perfect. And when she'd woken up that morning and JC was still in bed next to her, holding her against him, she knew it was different because Clay had left the first time they'd ever slept together. But JC stayed all night.


She snuggled against him, not wanting to move, thankful it was a Sunday and she didn't have to go. She lifted her head only slightly to look at the clock on the bedside table that told her it was nearing eight o'clock. Sutton would soon be awake and Chad had spent the night over at Lane's. So as much as she didn't want to move, James knew she needed to get downstairs to fix her daughter breakfast. JC slept soundly next to her and she tried to be as quiet as possible getting out of bed. Before she had swung her legs over the edge, she felt his hand on her arm, beckoning her back to him.


"Don't go," he mumbled, his eyes still closed, his hand gently on her arm. 


"I have to get Sutton breakfast," she leaned down and kissed his cheek. He suddenly found the energy to pull her on top of him and before she knew it, they were making love again. 


"I want to wake up like this every morning," JC kissed her ear and then her cheek as she rolled off of him. "Can we do that?"


James chuckled, "Yes, but first, can I please go feed my child breakfast?" JC nodded lazily and went to kiss her, but his phone vibrated against the dresser and he reluctantly pulled himself out of bed to answer it. 


JC's head was spinning as he moved to the dresser to answer his phone. He was dizzy and he knew this woman, this woman he'd known for just a month, had done more good than anyone else in his life ever had. And he loved her. He had known it for weeks but last night, with the sun setting behind the marsh, the faint call of a whipper will in the distance, and the fact that they were alone outside, he knew it was time to tell her.

His phone buzzed again before he could get to it and finally, he reached it and saw the text from Gail:


Call me ASAP. Possible gig for you.


"What is it?" James asked, as she threw a t-shirt over her head. 


"Um. Nothing. Just my manager. I'll call her back and be down in a minute," JC told her, as he dialed the familiar number that had not been so familiar in the last few weeks. 


James watched him with uncertainty. "Ok," she answered, and left her room. He pulled her to him and kissed her quickly before she left, just as he heard Gail's groggy voice answer.


"Oops, sorry, Gail. I forgot it's still the middle of the night," JC immediately apologized, sitting down on the edge of the bed.  "I'll call you back later-"


"No, I"m up. I have to meet my personal trainer at six, so I had to get up anyway,"  Gail cleared her throat. "Now, when are you getting back here? Because there's a pilot for a talent show being thrown at NBC for the Winter line-up next season called Triple Threat. They want you as a judge and mentor. The pilot shoots on Tuesday. I can get you on the red-eye tonight. You in?"


JC was stunned. He couldn't answer. He'd just told James he loved her and he already knew what it would mean if he suddenly packed up and left. But it was a pilot. It might not even be picked up. He was conflicted but he knew he didn't have time to answer. "I-no, Gail, I'm sorry. I think I'm gonna have to decline."


"Are you kidding me, Jace? What did you do? Go down south and fall in love?"


JC was quiet.


"Oh my God you fell in love. What's her name?"

"Her name is James,"


"A girl? Named James?"


"Yeah. She's thirty-two and the best friend of my cousin. We're pretty serious. I just don't know if I can leave right now-"


"If she loves you, she'll understand. Go talk to her and then call me back in ten so I can book the flight," Before JC could respond, Gail had hung up. 


"Shit," he muttered, and slowly stood. He was dreading going downstairs now. James would know. She'd see it on his face that something wasn't right and when he told her...well, he didn't want to think about that. He could not break her heart. He wouldn't do it. 


James was giving Sutton a plate of scrambled eggs when JC walked into the kitchen. She immediately saw the look on his face, but before she could say anything, Sutton had jumped off of the barstool she was sitting on and running to JC.


"Hi, Josh!" Sutton wrapped  her little arms around his legs and JC picked her up and threw her in the air. This immediately caused Sutton to let out a hearty laugh. "Mommy made scrambled eggs! Do you want some?"


"Sure," JC kissed the top of her head and then put her back on the ground. 


"What is it?" James asked him, as Sutton crawled back up to her barstool. 


JC cleared his throat and made a motion with his head that they needed to talk in the other room. James looked over at Sutton and saw she was busy digging into her breakfast.


"Be right back, baby girl," James said to Sutton, as she followed JC into the formal dining room. 


"My manager called," JC started and immediately James' face fell. "No, listen. She wants me to do some talent thing for a pilot that NBC might be picking up for their Winter season. I told her I wouldn't go but she wanted me to talk to you because she knew that something was up. So, I told her about you and how we were serious and that I didn't want to do it, but-"


James let out a shaky sigh. "I don't want to stop you, Josh. You should do it. It's just a pilot, right? How long will you be gone?"


"It's supposed to be filmed on Tuesday. I would take the red-eye out tonight-"


"That soon? Whoa..." James folded her arms in front of her and JC pulled her into him. 


"I won't go, baby. I am not going to leave you," he told her, firmly. 


"But it's just a pilot. What if it didn't get picked up?"


"Then it wouldn't matter. I'd be back on Wednesday either way,"


James wondered if she'd regret what she was about to tell him. She didn't want to be the girlfriend that stifled her boyfriend from doing things. And she knew JC was sick and tired of life in L.A., but maybe he really needed to see it again to make sure he was really sick of it. 


"Go," she looked up at him. "I think it might be good for you to tape it and just see what happens."


"But, baby, what if-" he started to say, but she silenced him with a soft kiss.


"We'll cross the 'what-ifs' when they get here. You said you were sick of life in L.A. and you've been gone a month. You have a routine here, right? You have me and Sutton and Chad. But you also had a life in L.A. before us and maybe it's just a good thing if you go back and see if you miss it. If you do, well, we can talk about that when you get back."


"James, are you sure?" JC ran his fingers gently through her hair. "I just wouldn't want you to think I was abandoning you. Like Clay-"


"You are nothing like him, Josh," James assured him. "And I know you're not abandoning me. You'll be gone 48 hours and then I get you back on Wednesday." she rested her head against his chest and teasingly whispered. "All to myself. In my bed."


JC chuckled softly. "Ok. That is incentive enough for me to book a flight home on Tuesday after the show wraps. I'll go call Gail back." He kissed her for a long time before he left the room and up the stairs.


"Are you crazy?" Chad asked James later that afternoon when he'd returned from what had apparently been a very sleepless night at Lane's. His eyes were bloodshot but he was giddy, so James hadn't needed to ask what had happened there. "The man tells you he loves you last night, you finally sleep together, and you've just told him to go back to Los Angeles? James, honey, what goes on inside that pretty little head of yours?"


James rolled her eyes and went to the refrigerator to pour herself a glass of iced tea. "I told you, Chad. He needs to find out whether or not he really does miss it out there. He's been here a month and he's experienced a whole other world that's nothing like California. If this is gonna work out, I want to make sure he's not going to regret it. I can't risk that and neither can he."


"James, what if he does miss it? What if he realizes that he wants to be back out there? What will you do?" Chad took her hand in his and looked at her with concern. "If you and Sutton left, I'd be devastated and so would your parents. And then there's the question of Brewster's-"


"I've thought about all of that," James said. "And I don't know what I'd do. All of this is so new. That's why I want him to go and do this because of how new all of this is. If he wants his old life back, then I guess I'd have my answer."


"I think you're crazy, but I understand. Are you taking him to the airport?" Chad asked.


"We're leaving in an hour," James replied. "So can you get Sutton dinner and in bed?"


"Yeah. No problem there," Chad pulled her to him and hugged her. "I'm here for you, doll. You know that, right?"


"Always," James had started crying and was soaking Chad's Polo shirt with her tears. 


"Cry it out, honey," Chad held her tighter and James wept quietly.


"But why do you have to go, Josh? Don't you love me and my mommy?" Sutton was sitting on JC's bed as he packed a duffel bag. He was taking enough clothes for two nights and made sure one set was appropriate enough for a shoot, though he knew the stylists would change that if it wasn't. 


"I just have to go for a few nights. I'll be back on Wednesday. I promise. And I do love you and your mommy," JC was already feeling a sense of pride for this little girl who watched his every move. He'd contemplated if things kept progressing like they were, perhaps adopting Sutton as his own. He hadn't mentioned it to James yet, he felt it was too soon to voice, but he was quite sure that he would love to be Sutton's father. 


"Can we go with you?" Sutton asked him, her voice quavering and JC looked to see a tear spill over and down her cheek.


JC stopped what he was doing and went over to the bed, picking her up and sitting down with her on his lap. "Sutton, I wish I could take you both with me, but this is such a quick trip that I'll be back before you know it. I'll sleep on the plane tonight, then tomorrow night at my house, and on Tuesday night I'll be back on a plane that will land on Wednesday morning." He kissed her cheek where her tear had fallen. "So you have to be a big girl and give Mommy lots of hugs while I'm gone, okay?"


Sutton sniffed, "Yeah, ok. I will, Josh." 


James walked into JC's room to see her daughter sitting on JC's lap and her breath was taken away. It was perfect. It was so perfect that she'd almost wished she wasn't so practical and had told him to screw the taping of the pilot and stay here with them. "Hey," she interrupted JC and Sutton, "I'm ready when you are."


JC placed Sutton back on the bed and resumed his packing once more. "I'm almost done. Hey, Sutton, wanna come with Mommy when she picks me up on Wednesday?"


Sutton gasped and gleefully nodded, "Yeah! Mommy can I?"


James smiled and nodded her approval. "Of course you can. But Uncle Chad's downstairs and he needs help on picking out what you want for dinner. He said something about pizza,"


Sutton jumped off the bed and ran out of the room calling, "Yeah, pizza!" 


James walked over to JC and they immediately embraced. "You are the best girlfriend ever," he told her between kisses. "When I get back, I don't want to leave this room for 48 hours."


"Okay," James kissed him back. "I'd like that."


Before long, they had gone downstairs and JC said his goodbyes to Chad and Sutton. The ride to the airport was quiet until they got closer to Savannah. James' grip on JC's hand tightened when they pulled into the airport parking lot. They quietly walked inside, JC checked in at the Delta gate, and then they were at the entrance to security.


"I'll see you on Wednesday at nine," JC held her tightly against him. "I'll call you as soon as I land, okay?"


James had been crying and could barely muster, "Okay."


He tilted her chin up to him and kissed her long and hard on the mouth. "I love you, James. And I'm going to come back. I promise."


James only nodded. He might come back, she thought, but would he be back to stay?

Chapter 9 by Alysen Blaine


"So, then, I was like, whatever, because I mean, I work with Hunter. I totally know he is so not going to go for Meredith Swanson! I mean, seriously! Did you see what she wore to prom this year? I didn't know skank ho was in!" Kaylie was gossiping with Madison behind the counter the next day.

It had been a slow morning and James was grateful for it. She didn't feel like going in that morning, but the thought that she'd be picking up JC in just 24 hours was comforting enough for her to get out of bed. She'd cuddled with the pillow JC had slept on the night before and after he'd called during his layover in Dallas, it was even harder for her to sleep. He promised he would call her as soon as he had landed in L.A., which was any minute now. 


"She thinks he's gonna ask her out?" Madison normally never cared about things like this and James knew it, although she was barely listening. She glanced over at the girls and actually smiled for the first time that morning. Madison was trying not to show it, but James could tell she was trying hard not to show just how jealous she was getting. 


"Yeah. And whatever because we both know he's into you!" Kaylie giggled like the high school teenager she was. James had to turn away so that the girls wouldn't see her grinning at them.

She went and began to re-shelve a few items near the couches in the back of the shop so she could think and so that she could better hear her phone when it buzzed. She checked the time again and saw it was five after eleven. JC should've landed five minutes ago. 


"I don't think he likes me, Kaylie," she heard Madison respond. "You know Hunter. He's not into dating anyone."


"Let's ask James her opinion," Kaylie said. "James, don't you think that Hunter likes Madison?"


Just as she was about to answer, James' phone vibrated and she smiled, holding up one finger. "Hang on. This is Josh," James went behind the counter and then back to her office. "Hey," she answered.


"I'm here. In smoggy, trafficky, without you L.A.," came Josh's reply.
Kaylie chuckled. "How was your flight?"


"Long. I didn't sleep. All I wanted to do was call you,"


James felt her heart skip a beat and let out a shaky breath. "Just hurry back, okay?"


"I am. I promise. I have to go to the studio and check in and then we're having a short rehearsal. I have the rest of the night off so I'll get to sleep, I guess,"


"Sutton drew two pictures for you while we were at the airport," James told him. "She wants to bring them to the airport tomorrow."


"I can't wait to see them," Josh yawned and let out a sigh. "Ok, I better go find my ride. I'll call you tonight. I love you,"


She would never get tired of hearing that. "I love you, too."


Los Angeles


JC sat at a table similar to the one on America's Best Dance Crew, facing the stage, and watching rehearsals go on for the acts that would be presented at the pilot shoot the next day. He'd had four cups of coffee in a row and had texted James several times, letting her know that he missed the infamous Brewster's Blend that had made the coffee shop so famous. He rested his chin on his hand and swiveled in his chair as a quartet of girls sang and danced to Nicki Minaj's "Super Bass." They were decent but he didn't really care. He was missing what he'd left behind and as much as there were parts of this that he enjoyed, his heart was miles away on the other side of the country.


His phone buzzed and, hoping it was James, tapped the front and it lit up with a text from Chad that said:


What are you doing? Get back here. James is miserable and I know you r too.


JC groaned inwardly and let out an exasperated sigh as he texted his cousin back:


I'll be back in 2 days. I shouldn't have left. This show is lame. See you in 48.


He put his phone next to him again as the next act was called out to rehearse. He was distracted yet again by another buzz from his phone. He looked down to see it was Matthew Morrison, one of his good friends in the city. 


Going to Nobu at 8. Join? 


Well, if anything could get his mind off of how miserable he was, it was the sushi at Nobu and a good chat with his friend. 


I'm in.


Grayson, Georgia


James aimlessly flipped through channels on the television. Sutton had been in bed for nearly two hours and Chad was out yet again with Lane. She had talked to JC earlier that day, but hadn't heard from him since about three o'clock California time. She checked her phone and felt like Kaylie or Madison, who were constantly checking their phones to see if they'd missed a call from someone they deemed important. No missed calls and no texts. She looked at the clock on her phone and saw it was only eight-thirty out in L.A. A phone call goodnight seemed appropriate.


The phone rang twice before JC picked up. 


"Hey!" he was somewhere where she could barely hear him. "Can you hear me, babe?"


"No, not really," James replied, "Where are you?"


"About to eat sushi with a few friends. Where are you?"

"At home." James suddenly, for reasons she couldn't explain, felt jealous and lonely. He was out in L.A. with his friends eating at some hip California joint she imagined, and she was stuck at home on the couch. "Oh. Well, are you having a good time?"


"Wait, what?" the noise was almost deafening.


"I asked if you were having a good time,"


"Oh! Yeah, it's going well -" he was interrupted by louder voices than before and James could hardly make out what he'd said.


"I can't hear you, Josh," she was trying not to sound defeated, although she doubted he could tell there was any hint of being disgruntled or anything else for that matter because it was so noisy. "Hey, um, I'll just call you tomorrow, okay?"


"Yeah, baby, okay. I'm sorry. It's just really loud here,"


"So I can tell,"


"What?"


"Nothing. I'll talk to you later,"


"Okay. I love you,"


"Love you," James hung up and started to feel insecure. She imagined him surrounded by gorgeous woman, scantily clad, all over him. What if he got drunk and - no, she wouldn't let her head go there.

Turning off the television, James slowly walked up the stairs and into her bedroom. She pulled the covers back and crawled beneath them, hardly believing that it had just been Sunday when JC was in bed with her. She turned her phone off and fell asleep almost immediately.


Los Angeles


JC stared at his phone while conversations went on around him. Matthew and a few of their friends were in a debate about politics that JC might have been interested in discussing, except he could sense that something was wrong with James. She was probably just tired. Still, he figured texting her goodnight wouldn't hurt.


Sleep tight. I'll be home soon. Love you.

Later that night, as he entered his home, JC looked around at the familiar surroundings and rubbed his eyes, tired from jet lag and lack of sleep he'd had since being back. He'd be on the red-eye tomorrow night and back in James' arms before long. He checked his phone to see if she'd texted back and that was when he saw the message from Gail that nearly made him want to throw his phone across the room:


Pilot rescheduled to shoot Friday. Canceled flight and rebooked you for Fri nite at 11. Sorry. 


He took a breath. Okay, so Friday. It was just going to be two more days more than he'd thought. He and James would be fine. It wasn't as if it was two more weeks or even months. She would understand because she'd told him to go and do this. 


But for some reason, this didn't seem to comfort him at all as he climbed into bed. 

 

Chapter 10 by Alysen Blaine

Sutton was quiet on the Wednesday ride home from ballet. When James asked her how her ballet class was, Sutton had just shrugged and looked out the window, which was quite unlike the little girl, who usually chatted with her mother the entire way home. Finally, Sutton let out a shaky sigh and said, "Mommy, why'd you tell Josh to go away?"


James nearly had to catch her breath. She bit on her lower lip before responding, lest she snap at her daughter for asking such a ridiculous question. But really, was it that ridiculous? Yes, she reasoned with herself, it was. Sutton was only five, and James knew she'd been talking to Chad, who had not said much to her since JC had left. "Why do you think I told him to go away? I didn't, Sutton. Josh needed to finish a job and then he's coming back," James tried to answer her daughter as rationally as possible.


"But Uncle Chad said that you could've told him to stay. He said that Josh didn't really want to go," Sutton turned to look at her mother.


"You shouldn't listen to everything Uncle Chad says," James replied, trying her best to keep her cool. "Josh is in L.A. for work and he'll be back on Saturday morning."


"But Mommy, he didn't have to go. He wanted to stay cause he loves you and you wanted him to go because you're scared!" Sutton blurted out and then knew she'd said too much by the look James had given her. 


"That's enough," James said quite firmly. "You don't know what you're talking about and you're too young to understand."


"But Mommy-"


"No, Sutton. Enough."


They were silent the rest of the ride home. Once James put the car into park and turned off the engine, Sutton threw open the car door and ran to the front door. They went inside and Chad was sitting on the couch with Lane watching television. 


"There're my girls!" Chad spoke up, and turned off the television. "Lane and I thought we'd order pizza and-"


"Sutton go upstairs. I need to talk to Uncle Chad," James interrupted him and Sutton frowned at her mother, but did as she was told.


"What's wrong?" Chad asked, giving James a confused look.


"Why the hell would you ever confide to my daughter about why you think I told Josh to go back to L.A.? She told me what you said. That Josh didn't really want to go and that I was scared. I'm not scared of anything!" she was raising her voice but she didn't care. Lane looked uncomfortable and shifted a little on the couch. "I don't know why it's such a big deal, anyway and why you thought it was such a good idea to tell a five-year-old what you thought!"


Chad took a breath before he spoke, "Not a big deal? Really? Is that why you cry when you get off the phone with him? Is that why, when he told you he wasn't coming back until Friday, you were a bitch the rest of the day? And I didn't confide in Sutton. She asked me why you were crying so much and why Josh had to go. Maybe I said too much, but you are scared. You're scared that if you don't push him away first, he'll leave just like Clay. He's not Clay and you know it!" 


James was quiet. She didn't say anything, simply left the room and went upstairs to her room, hoping that Chad knew not to follow her.


Later that evening, James sat by the pool, slowly sipping on a glass of wine. She and Sutton had ended up having pizza with Chad and Lane, Chad didn't speak to James and she avoided eye contact with him, so it was basically a very dull dinner with Lane trying to make conversation with Sutton, who was still glum after the car ride with James. She hadn't refused when James told her it was time for bed and had immediately gone to her bedroom after brushing her teeth. When James had asked if she wanted a story, Sutton had refused and James knew it was her daughter's way of telling her mother she was not happy with her. 


James was mad at herself for even suggesting it was a good idea that he leave. Things had been going so well between them for the last month and then a glitch. A glitch that could have been avoided if she'd just been honest and told him not to go. If she'd ignored practicality and said 'No, Josh, I don't want you to go.' It wasn't selfish, especially because JC had told her numerous times just how much he disliked L.A. now and how much he loved it in Grayson. But no, she had to revert to practical James. In her head it had made sense that he go back to see if he really missed it. In her heart, she knew it wasn't right. 


The sliding glass door behind her opened and she heard Chad's footsteps walking over to her. He sat down next to her and said, "I only did it because I love you. I shouldn't have said anything to Sutton. Even Lane said I was stupid for doing that. I should've just come to you in the first place and told you what I thought. I'm sorry, James, but when I see something perfect and something that doesn't happen everyday like you and Josh, I just, well, I guess I just wanted you to be happy. And when you told him it was okay that he went back for this gig, this stupid, not-even-one-week gig, I didn't want you to lose what you had. I know now you're not because Josh is crazy about you, you know that right?" James nodded. "He's not going to leave you. He's not Clay. I've known Josh my whole life and I've met other girlfriends. They've been pretty and skinny and all that stuff, but they were never right for him. And you, my sweet dear, are perfect for him."


James let a tear roll down her cheek and quickly wiped it away. "I know he's not like Clay," she sniffed. "I just didn't want him to have any regrets is all. He's done this for so long, I guess I just didn't want him being with me and thinking I'd pull him away from all of that." 


Chad shook his head. "Josh can make his own decisions and I think he knows what he wants. And that's you." Chad pulled James to him. "I love you, doll, you know that. Clay left you because he was a jerk. You know Josh isn't Clay. He loves you and he adores Sutton."


"I just wanted him to be happy is all," James had started to cry softly. "I wanted him to know I supported him because he's been an entertainer for a long time. How could he just give that all up in a month? I wanted him to be sure."


Chad nodded and kissed the top of her head. "I think he was sure the minute he laid eyes on you."


"Thanks," James smiled and kissed Chad's cheek. They both stood and hugged each other and then walked back inside. 


James told him goodnight and then went upstairs, quietly opening the door to Sutton's room. She smiled when she saw her daughter laying on her side, her stuffed teddy bear in her arms. James went over to her and bent down to kiss Sutton's forehead. "I love you, baby girl," she whispered, kissing her once more and tip toeing out of her room, her heart feeling as though a weight had been lifted.


Los Angeles


The week had dragged on and on. JC was finally over jet lag by Wednesday night, ironically, the day he would have landed in Savannah. He spent his days in his basement studio, aimlessly mixing tracks and recording songs just for the hell of it. He would call James every night and he could still tell she was trying to be positive, but talking with Sutton (and hearing her second hand information from Chad) on Thursday afternoon had given it away that James was miserable. He'd been talking to James when he heard Sutton's voice in the room with her.

 
"Mommy, can I talk to Josh, please?" she had asked.


"Put her on the phone," JC chuckled.


"Okay. Sutton, talk to Josh while Mommy gets your bath ready," James had passed the phone to her daughter and in seconds, Sutton was immediately rambling on and on to JC about all that had happened in the last few days.
"...and then in ballet I learned how to do a big leap across the room!"


"That's awesome, Sutton. You'll have to show me when I get back,"


"Josh? Mommy really misses you. When are you coming home?"


"On Saturday, sweet girl. I promise,"


"Good, cause Mommy cries a lot. Uncle Chad says it's because she misses you so much. And I miss you, too,"


"I miss you, too, Sutton," JC told her. "I'll be home soon. I promise."


"But don't leave again. Uncle Chad says you should never listen to Mommy and leave,"


JC tried not to laugh into the phone, "I'm not going to leave again. I promise,"


He sat at the piano in his recording studio after the phone call had ended and lazily plucked a few keys, thinking about the conversation with Sutton. It was true, he had missed the presence of her always showing him something new, showing off her ballet skills, and as of one time last week, snuggling up next to him watching Shrek. He was just as crazy about Sutton as he was James. He knew why James had wanted him to pursue this pilot episode, but it had been clear, very clear, that he was over it. He wanted to be with James and Sutton and in little podunk, redneck Grayson, Georgia, a place he used to tease Chad about when they were growing up. But now? Now, it was the only place he wanted to be.


James had been unexpected, just like the whole trip to Grayson had been unexpected. He'd dated models and actresses but most of them had been shallow and had only satisfied him physically. They were hard to talk to because of the wall they'd put up on the first date, except when the date was nearly over and then they'd start the process of seducing. This usually led to a second date and maybe a third, but it wore off because there was nothing but physical attraction, no depth, no hope of a decent conversation. With James, he had immediately felt like he could be open and honest with her about any and everything. This unexpected woman had changed him for the good.


Friday morning, JC woke up early and immediately called James. It was almost nine on the other side of the coast and he knew she'd be at the coffee shop.


"Hey," she greeted him, and he could hear her shuffling back to the office.


"Busy?" he asked, sitting up in bed and propping up against a pillow.


"No. What are you doing up so early? What time do you have to be at the set?"


"Not til nine but I just wanted to call you. I can't wait to see you,"

"I can't wait to see you, either,"


He could almost hear her smiling. "Can you take off all day Saturday?"


"I already did,"

"And Sunday?"


"Done," she paused and then said, "And Sutton is spending Saturday and Sunday night with my parents."


"Really?"


"You said you wanted me in the room for 48 hours so I'm holding you to that,"


JC chuckled, "I think I'll be doing the holding, baby," 

 

James laughed quietly, "Oh yeah? Okay, no complaints here,"

 

"How's the shop?"  


"Really going well. Lots of customers. And I found a recipe for a mocha frappe that I want to try out next week. It'll be the new summer drink,"


"I can't wait to try it,"


They talked for the next half hour until there was a slight emergency in the front of the shop and all James had told JC was that the espresso machine was jammed and Kaylie was freaking out about it. "I'd better go. I'll see you tomorrow morning,"


"Yes, you will," JC said.


"Have fun today," James told him. 


"I love you," he responded and ended the call, smiling to himself as he placed his phone on his bedside table. Just a few more hours and he'd be back where his heart had been the entire week.

Chapter 11 by Alysen Blaine

On Friday, the set was ready and the reason for the delay of the pilot was that one of the other judges, Mandy Moore, had come down with the flu and she still had not been well. She was replaced with Willa Ford, who immediately had come onto JC, despite flashing a huge diamond ring on her left hand. The other judge was Drew Lachey, whom JC was happy to have sitting between him and Willa. JC had put his duffel bag with his plane ticket in a spare dressing room that he'd claimed as his own and was counting down the hours until he could get his ride to the airport.


"A lot on your mind?" Drew asked, a few minutes before the taping began. "You look deep in thought."


JC laughed softly, "A little. I'm flying out tonight to see my girlfriend. Just excited,"


Drew nodded, "Understandable. Better than being here," he muttered and JC raised his eyebrows. "Oh please, don't think I begged to do this. We've got enough of these dumb talent shows on live TV. I just figured it might be nice to see if I missed any of it. Turns out, I don't." So Drew could understand, JC thought.


"You don't miss it out here?" JC turned in his chair to face him, so that Willa wouldn't be privy to their conversation. "I mean, you like doing the family thing, right?"


"Oh, absolutely," Drew replied. "I enjoyed fame and Hollywood when I was younger, but now all I want to do is go home to my wife and kids. I figure I'd do this show, if it even gets picked up, and then be done."


"I'm kind of going through the same thing," JC told him and Drew smiled.


"Oh yeah? You engaged?" Drew asked, a little above a whisper.


JC shook his head, "No, not yet. But I met this girl last month visiting my cousin in Georgia. And the minute I saw her, I knew. I can't explain it, I just knew. So she's in Georgia and I left to film the pilot and all I can think about is flying back to her tonight."


"I don't blame you," Drew nodded. "But wow, a month. That's awesome. I hope it works out."


Suddenly, the lights dimmed and the audience began clapping and cheering wildly. Some generic announcer walked out, who was supposed to be a cross between Ryan Seacrest and Carson Daly, but was just plain awful. He smiled a little too much and kept winking at the judges in such a way that it made JC uncomfortable. The acts came and went, each one possessing little talent and a lot of fake glitz about them. JC would give his opinion, much like he had on America's Best Dance Crew, and everything he and Drew said, Willa disagreed with. He soon understood that this was what the producers wanted and during a break, Willa flashed a flirtatious grin at both men and said, "I was told I had to be the bitch." JC thought he heard Drew mutter, "Well played," and had to stifle laughing out loud.


Finally, the pilot was wrapped and the audience slowly trickled out of the soundstage. JC grabbed his phone, shook Drew's hand, avoided eye contact with Willa, and literally sprinted back to his dressing room. Gail met him there with a smug look on her face as he grabbed his things.


"You sure I can't talk you into filming the rest?" she raised an eyebrow.


"Do you really think there'll be anymore? That was awful. And who's that announcer?" JC didn't wait for her to answer, only slipped out the door. 


"Call me when you land!" Gail called after him. 


JC made it to the airport nearly two hours before his flight took off. He didn't care. He figured the closer he was to the gate, the closer he was to boarding the plane and heading back to Georgia. He grabbed a beer at a bar near his gate and nursed it, all the while texting James back and forth. He looked at the clock nearly every five minutes and inwardly groaned, seeing the minutes tick by slowly. This, he knew, was going to be the longest flight of his life. 


James stood anxiously at the gate arrival at the Savannah Airport. With Sutton at her side, holding her hand, she looked down the long hall where JC would soon emerge. The night before had been the longest night of her life. She'd slept horribly, a part of her wondering if he'd made it on the plane or if the flight had been delayed. He texted her up until he'd boarded, but she continuously checked her phone every so often throughout the night. That morning, James had awoken at five, having only slept a couple of hours. His plane would land at 8:00 that morning. Sutton had woken up shortly after and they'd both had a quick breakfast of cereal and toast, and had left the house at 6:30.


And now, here they both stood, smiles plastered on their faces waiting for him to pop around that corner. 


"There he is!" Sutton shrieked, jumping up and down, her brown curls bobbing. Sure enough, James looked up to see JC striding toward them, a baseball cap on his head, his duffel thrown behind him. When he spotted her, his pace quickened, and he passed other passengers to get to where she and Sutton were standing. Soon his arms were enveloped around her waist, his lips pressed against hers in a kiss that felt as though they'd waited a lifetime for. Sutton was not to be ignored and JC soon swooped her up in his arms and threw her in the air. She let out a loud giggle and didn't let go as he threw her on his shoulders.


Hours later, James rested her chin on JC's chest, looking up at him as he dozed off and on. They'd barely managed to make it inside after dropping off Sutton at her grandparents before they were ripping at each other's clothes, hardly making it up the stairs and into her bedroom. James was reveling in how good it felt to be with him. He'd known exactly how to please her and touch her and the whole morning had been spent wrapped in each other. Kissing him, she snuggled against him and closed her eyes. She felt his fingers begin to trace her shoulder and looked up at him to see him smiling at her.


"I thought you were asleep," she said, as his lips met hers. 


"I was," his eyes were closed, "but just knowing I'm here with you makes it impossible to really sleep."


She stared at him for a minute and then resumed her position cuddled against him. "Josh," she hesitated to ask it but it had been on the forefront of her mind the whole week. "Are you sure you're not going to get bored here? I don't want you to just be existing here with nothing to keep you occupied."


JC rolled to his side, propping himself up on his elbow and looking down at her. "I think after twenty years of this, it might be time for a rest," he said. "And it just means I have more time to spend with you. I don't have to worry about meetings or set times or anything else. I finally get to have a normal relationship with a normal woman." He leaned down to kiss her and soon she'd pulled him on top of her yet again. 


JC spent the next few weeks coming to Brewster's and sitting in the table by the window with his iPad and laptop both out and headphones on. He was writing lyrics to songs and a few times, Kaylie would giggle with Madison about hearing him sing aloud, forgetting other people could hear him. James smiled to herself watching him at work and one day, went over and sat down across from him, two cups of fresh coffee in both hands.


"Hey, Pavarotti," she teased, tapping him gently on the arm. He'd just hummed a little louder than normal and other customers in the shop had looked over, amused. "Thanks for the concert, but we can all hear you."


JC took off his headphones and took the coffee from James. "Sorry, babe," he pulled the screen on his laptop down and sipped the coffee. "Was I really that loud?"


James nodded and grinned, "Yeah, but it's okay. I like hearing you sing." She rested her chin in her hands and saw a glimpse of frustration across her boyfriend's face. "What is it?"

JC sighed and looked at her sheepishly, "Well, it's just, I'm getting to where I don't know what to-"


"What to do with yourself?" she finished for him. "I figured that might happen."
He saw her looking worried immediately and knew what she was thinking. He immediately shook his head. "I'm not going back to L.A., James. Don't think that, okay?"


"I know, but you're bored. I could offer you a job here, but I don't think you'd enjoy barista life," James cracked a small smile. 


"I'll figure something out," JC told her, and leaned back in his chair. "I already ordered a moving company to get some of my stuff brought out here. By the way, what do you say you and I start looking for a place of our own?"


James nearly spilled coffee down the front of her Brewster's t-shirt. A place of their own? Not that it wasn't as if they weren't already living together, of course. JC had moved out of the guest room and into her room more or less. And Chad had teased that it felt as though they were the new version of Three's Company, even though he was hardly at home long enough to say he lived there anymore. Usually, he stayed with Lane or was out of town on his Atlanta project so much that James had started to think of the house as more hers than Chad's. But move out with JC? Was it too soon? What would Sutton think? She knew her daughter adored JC and the feeling was mutual, but Sutton loved Chad's house and James knew she wouldn't be able to afford anything like the kind of house Chad owned.


"Is it too soon?" she voiced her concern. "I mean, it's been almost two months. Is that too fast?"


"What part of this relationship has been slow?" JC reminded her, and he had a point. "Just look. Not buy. That's all I'm suggesting."


James nodded. "Right. Yeah, I think we could start looking. Don't say anything to Sutton about it just yet, okay? We can start looking this weekend, maybe."


JC reached over and stroked her hand. "Are you okay with that? We don't have to. It was just a suggestion. We can wait if you want-"


"No," James shook her head. "No, I want to. You're right." 


Later that evening, James and Chad sat out on the back patio watching the sun as it gave its last glimpses of light over the marsh. JC had been inside making a long, overdue phone call to his parents (at least that's what Chad's mother had voiced earlier that day when she'd stopped by and JC knew he'd better let them know he was still alive). Chad had spoken to JC shortly after JC had left Brewster's that afternoon. He'd told Chad about James' awkward reaction to his suggestion of moving in together and Chad had assured him it was due to James' past history with that damned Clay. But he'd promised his cousin he'd talk to James about it, as Chad felt he was really the only one who could sometimes talk sense into his best friend.


"So, doll, I hear you and Josh might be doing a little house hunting?" Chad spoke up, taking a sip of wine. "I think that's a fantastic idea. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd miss you and Little Diva like crazy, but we'd all be in the same city. Not like we wouldn't still see each other all the time."


James was silent and ran her finger around the rim of her wine glass. 
Chad sighed. "James, he's not Clay-"


"I know he's not Clay!" James snapped, then quickly apologized, realizing how she'd sounded. "I know he's not," she repeated in a softer tone. "But he said today he was getting bored with himself here. How do I know he's not going to leave one day?"


"Do you think he loves you?" Chad looked at her square in the eye. 


"I know he does," James answered without hesitation. 


"He's not going to leave you. You have to trust him on that," he reached over and grabbed her hand. "I can't pound it into your head, but I wish I could and I'm sure he wishes he could do the same."


"Does he think I don't trust him?" James looked at her best friend with a worried expression on her face.


"I think he knows you've been through a lot and what happened in the past damaged you so much that you have a hard time trusting anyone," Chad answered truthfully. 


James looked down at her wine and then up at Chad. "You're right. God, I hate how well you know me." She stood to her feet and went over to Chad, hugging him and then kissing his cheek. "I'll go talk to him."

She went inside and found JC laying across the couch, the phone to his ear. He was nodding at whatever was being said on the other line and agreeing every so often to whatever it was his mother was telling him. James walked towards him and sat down next to him. Almost automatically, he pulled her down next to him and spooned her against him as he finished his conversation.


"Yeah, yeah I will, Mom. Tell Dad hello. Love you. 'Bye," JC put his phone in his back pocket and gently began placing kisses on James' neck. "My parents might come in town in a few weeks. They want to meet you."


James turned on her other side to face him and placed her fingers on his face, gently tracing his cheekbone. "I'm sorry about today," she said quietly. "I just want you to know I trust you and it's nothing you've done, it's me and what I went through, you know? But I love you and I want a house with you." she kissed him long and deep on the mouth. "Okay?"


JC kissed her back before replying. "Okay. And I understand. We can take as long as you want to start looking," his lips met hers again and before long, James realized if they didn't go upstairs, Chad might walk in on something that would embarrass all of them and might make the process of looking for a house even quicker. 


As she fell asleep that night, James' thoughts were still on what JC had said to her earlier that day, about how he was finding it hard to know what to do with himself anymore here in Grayson. She had racked her brain all day and thought of nothing. Hearing his breathing become slower and knowing he was asleep next to her, James' eyes grew heavy and she told herself she'd think about it tomorrow. 

Chapter 12 by Alysen Blaine

JC laid in bed before immediately getting up the next day. He thought about how much his life had changed in just two months. Had someone told him six months ago he'd have a girlfriend on the other side of the country, much less become more or less a surrogate father, he would have told them they were crazy. None of this had been expected. He hadn't even liked coffee all that much before meeting James. But she could make simple things, like coffee, into something wonderful. She was wonderful. All of it was. He looked over at the empty spot next to him in bed. James had left for work earlier and he'd felt her lips against his before she went out the door, but had rolled over and gone back to sleep. Being with her in every way was like nothing he'd experienced before. She wasn't just in it for a good time or to be pleased. She loved him and with every kiss and every touch, he knew it had never felt like this with anyone else.  He'd told his mother on the phone the night before that he'd met the one and his mother had been overjoyed. He'd hesitated about mentioning Sutton, but when he said that his new girlfriend also had a five-year-old, it was as if the news was the icing on the cake. JC had thought about the process of adopting her. Obviously, he couldn't do it until he and James were married, but why not at least look into his options now?  He would talk to Lane about it soon. Having a lawyer around was good but having one that practically was family was even better. And then there was the matter of looking for a house before all of that. It excited him to think about sharing a home with James and Sutton that was all their own. He finally decided he was letting his brain go into overload and thought it best to go downstairs.


He looked at the clock and wondered if Chad and Sutton were yet awake, but figured since it was nearing 9:00, they were in their morning routine of cereal and the Disney Channel. He rolled out of bed and went downstairs finding Sutton on the couch in her pajamas glued to the television and Chad walking out of the kitchen with two bowls of Honey Nut Cheerios. When he plopped down next to Sutton, she grinned at him and crawled in his lap as Chad placed the bowl of cereal in her little hands. 


"Don't spill," Chad said as he went over to the love seat and sat.


"I won't," Sutton replied, snuggling into JC and loudly slurping up her cereal. 


Chad looked at the scene across from him and smiled to himself as JC made sure Sutton didn't get cereal and milk all over the couch. He would have never in a million years before guessed that his cousin and his best friend would end up like they were. If he had, he would've saved James the heartache of being with Clay. Then again, without Clay, there wouldn't have been Sutton and Chad, like James and now JC, couldn't imagine life without that little girl in it. His heart ached a little inside to think that in a few months, they'd all be living in another house, but he shook that feeling from him quickly. He'd known that James couldn't stay here with him forever and that eventually she would have to move on. But he'd gotten so used to having her and Sutton around that he knew coming home to an empty house was going to be hard those first few weeks. Of course there was Lane and they'd both discussed moving in together, but Lane also enjoyed his bungalow down the road and as much as he loved Chad, Chad knew Lane liked his privacy. 


"Deep in thought over there?" JC broke Chad's thought process.


"Huh? Yeah, sorry. Just in a daze," Chad took a bite of his cereal and leaned against the couch. "Sorry. How was the conversation with Aunt Karen last night?"


"Who's Aunt Karen?" Sutton wanted to know, looking up at JC.


"My mom. She's coming to visit in a few weeks and you get to meet her," JC smiled down at Sutton, then looked over at Chad. "It was good. She was excited to hear about everything going on. Meeting James and Sutton." He squeezed Sutton and kissed the top of her head. "I told her you had found someone you really liked and she was excited for you."


Chad snorted and shook his head, "Wish she could pass that onto my father." Chad's father had still not met Lane and it didn't look like it was going to happen anytime in the near future.


"He'll come around," JC tried to be assuring to his cousin, but he had often wondered how his own father, Roy, could be so accepting and different from Chad's father, even though they were blood brothers. He gently took Sutton off his lap and stood. "I'm gonna go get some breakfast myself. Sutton, wanna go see Mommy in a little while?"


"Yay!" came Sutton's wholehearted reply, as she forgot about the cereal bowl she was holding and milk went flying everywhere. 


"And this is why I have a leather couch," Chad chuckled, standing to go clean up the mess.

 


"This is the most boring town in the world!" Kaylie was whining later that day, as she and James were restocking coffee in the front of the shop.  


"Why do you say that?" James smiled knowingly at her, as she placed the last of a Brewster's Blend package on the top shelf. She came down the step ladder and began to fold it up and went to place it in the supply closet by the bathroom. 


"There is nothing to do. Seriously, James, nothing!" Kaylie sighed. "You can only hang out in the Walmart parking lot so much every night after work. And I'm not allowed to drive to Savannah or Jacksonville by myself and Madison's mom won't let her do that either. What did you do when you were a teenager here?"


James thought back nearly seventeen years ago and wanted to tell Kaylie that if she thought it was bad now, she should consider herself lucky that she wasn't a teenager back when James was. The town had boasted Morrie's, a Walmart, and a Lowe's. Most of her high school peers had thrown party after party, but James hadn't been into partying until college and so she'd opted for hanging out at Chad's, thinking of new campaign strategies for running on Student Council every year.


"Not much, I guess," James answered. "They have that new movie theater near Walmart. What about movies?"


"They show five movies and none of them look good," Kaylie told her. "My dad keeps saying he'll take us to Jekyll Island but that hasn't happened yet."


"And there's a few concerts in Jacksonville but they're all so expensive," Madison piped up. "And then there's the Fourth of July parade but after that there's just nothing to do."


"You could always go to a Big'un Lester concert at Ruby's," James teased them and they both rolled their eyes and laughed at her suggestion.


"He thinks he's so talented. I bet if he was in a real talent show like American Idol he'd get the hint!" Kaylie walked back around to the counter where Madison was and they both began to discuss what they were going to do that night since all of their friends had decided Walmart was the place to be.


James suddenly began to think. There were several small town events throughout the summer, but most pertained to families with small children or the senior citizens of the town. The Ballet School offered Dance Camp in July but that was only for elementary kids and younger. She wondered what she could offer with Brewster's. It was a popular hangout with the teenagers in the afternoon and sometimes the evening, but it needed more than that. She didn't want her place to be a teenage-only sort of hangout, but certainly she could provide an event that would give Kaylie and Madison and Hunter and their friends something to do. And then it hit her. She could have JC judge a real talent show!


"Girls, what if Brewster's hosted a Talent Show in a few weeks? And Josh judged it?" James looked at them, awaiting their response. Kaylie immediately grabbed Madison's arm and squealed.


"OMG! JC Chasez would judge?! I couldn't do anything because I'd definitely throw up from nerves!" she responded.


"Kaylie, it's Josh," Madison rolled her eyes. "We know him now. He's cool. I'd be all for it, James," Madison told her and then looked down at her pocked, pulling out her phone. She smiled coyly and James figured it was probably Hunter, who apparently had wasted no time in asking Madison out on a date. 


"I'll talk to him when I get home," James said, as she picked up an empty coffee mug from one of the tables. "He's been looking for something to do lately. I bet this will get him excited."


"Or you could talk to him now," Madison spoke up. James looked over to see the door opening and JC and Sutton walking inside. Sutton immediately bounded over to her mother and JC followed behind her. James picked up her daughter and hugged her tightly.


"I love it when you two surprise me," she looked at JC, who quickly kissed her lips, hoping not to draw attention from a gawking Kaylie, who still was clearly star struck. "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something-"


"Josh!" Kaylie suddenly interrupted, "Josh, James wants to tell you something so awesome!" She was immediately shushed by Madison. "What? It's not like he's not gonna know in a few minutes anyway!" Madison rolled her eyes for the upteenth time that day at her friend.


Josh looked down at James and raised an eyebrow, "What's up?"


"Well," James cleared her throat and put Sutton down. "I was thinking about putting on a coffee house type of a talent show this summer. And you'd be the judge. We'd come up with prizes and all of that, but I wanted to ask you first what you thought about it. It would give you something to do and it would also give these kids around here something to do instead of hanging out at Walmart all the time."


JC looked over at Kaylie and Madison, who were both trying not to stare. Naturally, Madison was doing a better job of it than Kaylie, whose eyes were glued to JC, waiting for his response. He looked back at James. "That sounds awesome," he grinned at her and heard a small shriek of glee come from behind the counter and knew who it belonged to without having to turn around again. "I'd be all for it, baby."


"I wanna do a talent show!" Sutton spoke up. "What do I do in it?" 


James and JC had to stifle a laugh and then JC answered, "You could dance, baby girl. You could all show us how well you do ballet!"


"Or we could get the whole ballet school to put on something. Kind of like entertainment in the middle of the show," James suggested, "Of course, we'd need a bigger venue than here. If we even have that many people sign up for it."


"Are you kidding?" Kaylie came from behind the counter and considered herself a part of this conversation now. "When people see that JC Chasez is judging, you might get responses from all over Georgia!"


"Thanks, Kaylie, but I think we'll just keep it contained for residents of Grayson this year," James told her. 

"We can start making flyers tonight," JC said. "Pick a date and get these two-" he gestured towards Madison and Kaylie, "-to get the world out to their friends." He looked over at that minute to see Kaylie with her phone out typing furiously and knew she was sending a mass text to the entire high school. "That is if her phone doesn't blow up first," he muttered to James and they shared a laugh together.

He looked at her seriously and gently pulled her towards him. "Thanks, baby. I know you want me to be busy and enjoy myself. And trust me, I'm enjoying myself, but having something on the side like this is going to be great. Who knows, it could turn into an annual thing."


"Maybe," James shrugged, wondering if it would even be a hit with the residents of Grayson at all.

 


Lane had come over for dinner as usual that evening and while James and Sutton were upstairs, JC mentioned his thoughts on adopting Sutton to both him and Chad. "So is it easy?" he asked Lane, as the three men sat around the back porch drinking beer. "I mean, obviously, it would be a while because we haven't talked marriage or at least I haven't talked about it to her, but I know I want Sutton to have my last name and be her father."


"You have to get her biological father's consent," Lane replied. "If he's still alive and you are able to contact him, he has to sign papers stating he's giving over his legal rights."


"What if he's a douche bag and disappeared and doesn't give a damn?" Chad spoke up, "Because when he found out she was pregnant, I don't think it was pretty."


Lane cleared his throat, "Well, you at least need to try and see if you can find him. If he's deceased or even imprisoned it might be easier. But if he's alive and well, he needs to know. If he's as terrible as you say, it probably won't be a big deal."


Chad turned to JC, "You're going to have to tell James. Because if you're serious about all this, you're going to have to start the process of finding out where the asswipe went. An early grave would be great." Chad was not hiding at all the fact that he loathed Clay. "Also, if you find him, you'd better go with James when she meets him. I don't trust him not to try and manipulate something with her." He finished off his beer and then spoke again, "But really, Josh, you probably should wait until y'all get finished putting together this talent show. Your brains don't need to be preoccupied with legal shit-no offense, honey-and you haven't even talked to her about marriage and you know how she is about all that. One day at a time with her."


"Yeah, I know," JC played with the beer bottle opener next to him. In his mind, he had pictured telling James he wanted to marry her in some sort of romantic setting. In his mind, she'd been ecstatic and told him she'd thought about the same thing. In reality, he knew that Chad was right. It had to be one thing and one day at a time with her, until he could convince her otherwise that he was the real deal.

Chapter 13 by Alysen Blaine

Atlanta, Georgia
Clay Anderson finished his text to his girlfriend and placed his cell next to his office phone. It was raining and the view of the Atlanta skyline was a bit blurred, but Clay never bothered to look outside anyway. His construction company, Anderson Homes, was the top construction company in Fulton County and the surrounding Atlanta suburbs. He lived in a brand new home in the Dunwoody area and was very well-respected among his peers in the business. Yes, by all standards, he'd made it. Lately, however, he was finding it difficult to keep up his relationship with Gia, his girlfriend, and Anna, his wife of nearly three years. He'd gotten bored with Anna shortly after she'd lost the baby. She'd gained weight and cried all the time it felt like to him. He made sure to get home after he knew she'd be asleep as this made it easier to find time with Gia, whom he'd met at a City Commissioner's dinner three months ago. Anna had grown suspicious once, when she'd come to the office and found Gia walking out, but Clay had passed her off as an administrative assistant who worked on the floor above his. Anna had fallen for it, but Clay had made it clear with his receptionist to make sure she let him know when Anna was on her way in.


He hadn't always been frustrated with Anna. It had only been after the miscarriage that she'd suddenly felt needy and weepy towards him all the time and Clay never did well with that. He hadn't wanted children in the first place. Of course, he was even more relieved when Anna said she didn't want to try again for a while. Tonight he wouldn't think about it. Tonight he would be with Gia in her loft apartment on the other side of town and had already told Anna he had a business dinner yet again. He was just about to text Gia something dirty when his office phone rang and he quickly placed his cell phone back on the desk to answer.


"Clay Anderson,"


"Hello, Clay. My name is Lane Wilkes. I'm a lawyer in the southeast part of the state. How are you?"


Clay cleared his throat, wondering what this would be about. He sat up in his chair and began to aimlessly doodle on his desk calendar. "I'm fine. How may I help you?"


"I'm calling about your daughter, Sutton Elizabeth Ryan. Do you have any contact with her?" Obviously, Lane knew this answer but he had to ask it anyway. He was also interested to hear how this guy would respond.


Clay froze. His daughter. He hadn't thought about James Ryan in years. He knew he had a kid but had removed that so far from his brain that it was foreign to him. Anna didn't know, not that he had volunteered that information, and he'd never once even mentioned James to her. His relationship with James Ryan had been a nightmare from beginning to end. She was gorgeous, Clay had fallen, but he never knew how to make her understand him. She'd caught him cheating but he'd manipulated her into thinking it wouldn't happen again and he knew very well it wouldn't stop. When James had told him she was pregnant, Clay hadn't wanted to believe her. And that night when he'd stormed out of her apartment in Orlando, he knew he would never see her again. 


"My d-daughter? I'm sorry, Mr. Wilkes, but I don't have contact with her or her mother," Clay answered. "Are you trying to get me for child support?"


"Not at all," Lane said. "I just wanted to let you know that in the near future there might be a few papers you'll need to sign stating that you agree with the adoption of Sutton Ryan to Joshua Scott Chasez, Ms. Ryan's boyfriend."


"Yeah, sure. I'll sign them whenever you send them to me," Clay was interrupted by a text from Gia, telling him what she was doing right then and what she planned on doing to him tonight. When Lane asked for his address, Clay was responding to Gia and was sure to give him the address to the Anderson's Dunwoody home. 


Clayton, Georgia


James sat in the driveway of 3140 Maple Street. When she'd been a child, her parents had taken walks along this very street with her and the family dog, Milo. She'd remembered this particular house because of its dorm windows that overlooked the front yard. It had been a white house with black shutters when she was younger, but now the house was painted a pale yellow and the shutters were white.  A veranda style porch wrapped itself around the front of the house and a tire swing hung from the oak tree that stood next to it.  She knew the backyard overlooked the Chattakeegee River and that it also had a pool because once as a little girl, she'd snuck behind to see what this childhood dream house was like from the back. The house was still just as beautiful as she had remembered. And it was for sale.

She got out of the car and went over to the For Sale sign, which had a few pamphlets in a container on the side of the sign. She went back to her car and read over it. "Spacious 4bdr, 3bth home. 3884 sq ft. Year built 1945. Fireplace in Master Bedroom. Pool with diving board." The price listed was exactly what she and JC had been looking for. She pulled out of the driveway and headed toward Main Street to Brewster's.


JC was on his second mocha frappe when James walked into Brewster's. He had his laptop opened and his headphones on, which is how James usually found him when she'd come into the shop during the afternoon. He smiled when he saw her and took his headphones off. "Hey, you look happy. What's up?" he asked, as James sat down across from him.


James slid the pamphlet across the table to him and grinned as he looked it over. "I used to love looking at this house when I was a little girl. My parents and I would take walks around this neighborhood and I used to always stop and gape at it," she said, as he looked up at her.


"It's perfect, James," he smiled. "Should I call the real estate agent and see if we can go look at it?"


Twenty minutes later, JC and James were standing in the interior of the house on Maple Street. Upon entering, a staircase greeted them with hardwood floors throughout the home. On the left was a large dining room, on the right, a formal living room. Going beyond the staircase was a den overlooking the Chattakeegee and the pool, which, compared to Chad's, was much smaller, but beautiful nonetheless. The kitchen looked into the den and had been recently revamped with stainless steel appliances. A hallway in front of the den and the kitchen led to the master bedroom, which took up most of the first floor. Upstairs were three more bedrooms, a Jack and Jill bathroom, and another bathroom at the end of the hall that connected with the bonus room over the garage.


"Have there been any offers made?" JC asked the realtor, as they walked back downstairs. 


"Only one and I'm waiting to hear back from them any day now," she replied. They were now standing in the foyer at the front door and James was looking over the dining room again as they spoke.


"I'll double the offer," JC said, and James' eyes grew big as did the realtor's. They walked outside and down the sprawling front porch. "You have my number, just let me know what we need to do next."


"Definitely," the realtor had tried not to show how shocked she was but James had nearly squealed with excitement when they'd gotten in the car.


"Double the offer! Baby! We're definitely getting this house!" James threw her arms around JC's neck and began to kiss his cheek, his forehead, and his lips all in a frenzied excitement. 


JC returned her kisses and tried to back out of the driveway all at the same time, until their little make out session had to be halted until they made it back to Chad's.  Lane's car was in the driveway and so they silently promised to continue what they'd started later that night. James went upstairs to see Sutton and JC sat down across from Lane on the couch. 


"Someone had a good day," Lane raised an eyebrow and smiled at JC. His hair had been messed up in the process and Lane could see him discreetly trying to button up two buttons on his shirt. 


"We found a house and we're pretty sure we've got it," JC told him. "It was James' dream house or something like that when she was a kid. Right in our price range and it's perfect for us."


"Well, then, I've got something to make your day even better," Lane mused, "I was bored in the office today," and he pulled a folded piece of paper out of the side of his blazer pocket. "So I drew up these adoption papers. They're not the real ones of course, but I did speak to Clay Anderson on the phone. Guy's a tool. I'd expect it to be a very easy process, should you go through with it-"


"With what?" James asked, coming down the stairs. "What is that, Josh?"


Josh hesitated and then smiled sheepishly at her. "I-well, I talked to Lane about the process of adoption. So I could know for Sutton. And he drew up fake papers just to show me what they'd look like. He also spoke to Clay and thinks it's going to be pretty easy to do."


James' face fell and she looked at Lane. "You-you spoke to Clay? When?"


"Earlier today," Lane felt put on the spot and wondered if this was a good reaction or not. Where was Chad when he needed to know how to decipher what James meant? "It was a short conversation. He thought I was going after him for child support but eased off when I told him about the adoption."


James turned to JC and narrowed her eyes at him, "When were you going to tell me this?"


"Baby, I thought you'd be excited! You knew it would come eventually. We're buying a house together and you know I want to marry you. Of course adopting Sutton would be the most logical next step!" JC stood from the couch and went over to James, taking her in his arms and kissing her forehead. "I'm sorry, James. I didn't want to upset you-"


"No, that's not it. It's just, I don't know, he said Clay's name and then you both act like you've been in on this for a while," James looked up at JC. "Why didn't you say anything before?"


"Because I know how you are. I know that taking it slow means a lot to you. I was going to talk to you about it, but I wanted to get through the talent show and settled into the new house. I promise I wasn't going behind your back or anything," JC reassured her with a gentle kiss on her lips. "Okay?"


She slowly nodded, giving a shaky sigh, and looked over at Lane. "What's he doing now? Clay, I mean?"


"He owns his own construction business in Atlanta. He seemed willing to go forward with the adoption process if you should so choose," Lane explained. "But he didn't seem to want to know anything about Sutton."


James slowly sat down on the couch and bit her lip, wondering what to do or say next. It became so quiet that JC could almost hear crickets. Finally, she looked at JC and then at Lane. "Thanks. I'm not mad, it just took me off guard." She took a breath and paused before she said anything else. "Josh, you can't adopt Sutton until we're married, right?"


JC didn't hesitate, "Right."


"Can we get through this talent show and the house before we talk about this again? It just feels like there are now a million and one things to do and this is not something I can think about. Not you adopting her, I mean having Clay involved in all of this and the possibility of having to see him. It's just not something I want to think about right now," she leaned back against JC. "You understand, right Josh?"


"Of course I do," JC smiled down at her and ran a finger through her hair. He looked over at Lane. "Thanks again for your help in all this."


"Anytime. Just let me know when you're ready to proceed," Lane stood and went into the kitchen to fix a drink.


Later that evening, Sutton had asked JC to read to her before she went to bed. The story she'd chosen was The Giving Tree and one of her favorites. When he had finished, Sutton crawled under her sheets and JC bent down to kiss her cheek. 


"Josh? Can I ask you something?" she inquired, as JC was walking over to her door.


"Of course, baby girl. What is it?" he walked back toward her and stood over her. 


Her eyes searched his before she said anything again.  "Josh, my friend Carly at ballet asked me if you were my dad. Can I tell her you are?" JC looked down at her and felt more pride and more love for her than ever before. This was his little girl. No matter what a piece of paper was going to say one day, he was the only dad she'd ever known.


"Absolutely," he bent down to kiss her again. 


"And can I call you 'Dad' now?" 


JC's heart felt as though it would soar out of his chest and burst as he replied, "Yes."


James sat downstairs with Chad waiting for JC to come back downstairs. She'd been quiet most of the evening and after she'd explained everything to Chad, he knew why. So much had happened today for her that he was picturing her brain exploding any minute from input. He watched her pretending to watch the Lifetime movie they'd chosen to watch, but all the while knowing she was replaying everything that had gone on that day. He knew she was being cautious but he also knew it was getting harder and harder for her to guard her heart. She'd let JC in and now, they were about to buy a house together and it looked as if marriage wasn't far off. All of it had happened so fast for her and Chad knew James was terrified of it all.


"Hey," he broke the silence and James looked over at him. "Chin up, doll. It'll be okay. I promise."

Chapter 14 by Alysen Blaine

Big'un Lester was waiting for James when she arrived at work the next morning. She'd taken to going in later in the morning since she and JC had become official. Partly due to the fact that she had a reason to stay up later and it also gave them time together in the morning. James was still on Cloud 9 after hearing Sutton refer to JC as "Daddy" earlier that morning at breakfast. It hadn't been anything special. She'd only asked him to pass the bacon when they were sitting in the breakfast nook. It was a simple, "Daddy, can you give me the bacon?" but it had made a huge impact on both JC and James and she was still smiling when she walked up to the entrance of the shop.


"Hi, Big'un," James greeted him, as she opened the door. Big'un grunted a "hello" and followed her into the shop. "Can I help you with something?"Brewster's was busy with its usual morning crowd. Kaylee and Madison were taking orders and Hunter was wiping down a table that had recently been abandoned. 


"Well, I was just wonderin' why the talent show thingy had an age limit? It says on that there flyer you got in the window that it's only for people ages 5 to 18," Big'un crossed his arms. "I been goin' at this since we was in high school. It's my time to shine."


James could almost hear Kaylee giggling into Madison's shoulder but ignored it. "Big'un, this is just a small little talent show that my boyfriend is helping put on for the teenagers. And besides, you do the Shrimp Festival every year." She was a bit repulsed by the stains of something orange all over his white t-shirt boasting the slogan "Country Boyz Do It Better" across it. "You know there's not much in this town for kids and so Josh and I just thought-"


"Yeah, but he's all famous and stuff. Has he heard me sing? If he hasn't, he should and then let me enter," Big'un leaned against the counter, knocking aside a few samples of bagged ground coffee for sale. Madison carefully came behind him and propped them back up, all the while trying not to crack a smile.

"I'm sorry, Big'un, but I this year we're just letting kids and teens enter. Maybe next year," James was a little firmer in her tone with him this time.

"Ok," Big'un sighed and reached in his pocket to pull out a toothpick that he promptly began to chew on. "Well, does he need another judge? Cause I can do that-"


"Big'un, that's really sweet of you, but I'm afraid Josh has already contacted two friends of his in Orlando," which was partly true. JC had spoken to both Joey and Chris to see if either of them were available to come and help him judge. Neither had said 'no', but they'd not gotten back to him officially, either.


"Fine, it's your loss!" Big'un snapped at James, and turned around, waddling out of the shop. Almost as if on cue, she heard Madison and Kaylee letting out shrieks of laughter.


"OMG!" Kaylee giggled, "Like Josh would ever let him perform!"


Chad walked in almost seconds after Big'un had left and was looking over his shoulder, watching the large man cross the street. "Talk about eclipsing the sun," he muttered, though loud enough for James and the girls and Hunter to hear. James shook her head at him, trying to be disapproving, but couldn't hide the smirk spreading across her face. "What'd he want? He doesn't seem like the type that drinks coffee."


"He wanted to know why he couldn't enter the talent show," James answered, as she went behind the counter to fix Chad his regular latte. "And then he wanted to know if he could help judge. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy with me when I told him 'no' to both requests."


"Well, it is talent show," Chad sighed and rolled his eyes. "Doll, can I speak to you in the back real quick?" he asked James, as she handed him his latte. He looked at Kaylie and Madison. "We'll be right back." James led him to the back of the shop and sat down at her desk, looking up at Chad curiously.


"What's up?" she asked, as Chad pulled out an extra chair that was propped up against the wall. 


"I know you're freaking out," he started and as she began to object, he raised a hand. "No, hear me out. I know you're freaking out because things are happening at lightening speed, but I wanted to ask you something. Isn't it everything you ever wanted? Isn't he everything you ever wanted? You always told me you wanted a man who would be Sutton's father. Seems to me, Josh fits the bill. I know you aren't used to things moving as fast as they are, but when they moved at a snail's pace with Clay, look how things turned out. I'm just saying this all out of love for you. I know you and I know you are excited but the bigger part of you, your little fragile heart, is nearly about to explode from freak out mode because you're waiting for something to go wrong. And maybe it will. But I highly, highly doubt that."


James stared at him and sighed, shaking her head and wryly smiling at him. "I hate that you know me this well," she finally spoke. "I was thinking all morning about what I might do or what he might do that would make the relationship end."


"I think unless one of you has a debilitating disease, you're going to be okay," Chad stood and pulled James up with him, enveloping her in a hug. "Don't be mad at him for what he did, looking into adoption, I mean. He was excited and was only looking at what his options were. Lane told me that Clay was just as creepy sounding as ever so I'd say the sooner you get that signature from Creepazoid, the better."


"We're waiting to talk about all of that after the talent show and his parents come into town and we move," James was trying not to sound as paranoid as she was feeling inside about all that she had to do in the coming weeks. "One day at a time, remember?"


"Yes, I vaguely remember saying something like that," Chad winked at her and kissed her forehead. "I love you, doll face. I wouldn't have told you any of this if I didn't."

** 

Chris Kirkpatrick was dreading pulling into his driveway and getting out of his car. Another fight with Stephanie had made him leave in the first place and drive throughout the Windemere suburb until he cooled off. He didn't want to apologize to her again because he knew, at least this time, he'd done nothing wrong. As he sat in the car, debating whether or not to turn it off or go for another spin, he felt his phone buzz. He looked down at the caller ID and grinned when he saw it was JC. "Dude, I just talked to you a few days ago. This is a record. We haven't spoken this much in years."


"I know," JC said into the phone. He was sitting out by the pool watching Sutton swim and waiting for James to get off work. He figured calling to see if Chris was in for the judging portion of the talent show couldn't hurt. He and James had wanted to update the flyers and he knew if another "celebrity" was billed, it would draw even more of a crowd. He had to hand it to Grayson. For being such a small town, they had already had at least 100 or so people say they were interested. And he was getting at least ten or more emails a day asking for a time to sign up. "I just figured I'd see where you were at on my little offer."


"Oh, you mean for the talent show?" Chris mused. "Yeah, count me in. I ain't got nothing better to do." He figured this little trip to this little town in Georgia would give him and his so-called girlfriend a much desired and needed break from one another. 


"Awesome. It's going to be the Saturday after the Fourth of July. You can come on up whenever. James and I are moving to our house that week so we'll be in the midst of unpacking, but you're more than welcome to crash with us," JC told him. "I can't wait for you to meet her. And Sutton, too."


Chris laughed into the phone. "I've never heard you talk about a girl like this before. You must be the smitten kitten,"


"Call me whatever you want," JC retorted. "I've never been happier, that's for sure." He watched Sutton climb out of the pool and she waved at him as she went up the steps to the water slide.


"Daddy, watch me! I'm gonna go down on my stomach!" she called to him. JC stood, warily eyeing her and walking to the edge of the pool just in case. He was always extra cautious with her in the water.


"Ok, be careful baby girl," he warned her, as she flattened herself against the slide and let the water carry her into the pool. She came bobbing up and giggling, swimming to the edge of the pool and climbing out to have another go at it.


"Whoa. Daddy. Nice," Chris interrupted JC's watchful stare. He looked up at the front door and saw Stephanie standing on the porch, her arms folded in front of her, a scowl across her face. "Hey, man, I better go. Keep me posted and I'll see you in a few weeks." Chris hung up and reluctantly got out of the car.

James returned home shortly after JC had hung up the phone with Chris. She had two bags of groceries with her and she tapped the sliding glass door with her foot to let JC know she was back. He waved at her, continuing to watch Sutton, who was now doing little ballet leaps into the water from the side of the pool. He walked over to the edge and looked down at the child, who looked up at him with her brown eyes shining at him through her goggles. "Mommy's home," he told her and immediately Sutton went to climb out of the pool. JC helped lift her out and carried her over to the lawn chair where a towel awaited her. He dried her off and playfully threw the towel over her head, grabbing her in a fierce hug as the little girl squealed with delight. He loved it. He loved every minute of this new role of fatherhood that had snuck into his life. It was hard to imagine life before Sutton and James and JC didn't want to. This was his life and he couldn't imagine it any other way.


Later that night, as they lay in bed after a heated love-making session, James spoke softly, "I want you to know I'm not freaking out anymore,"


JC chuckled lightly, his fingers running lazily up and down James' arm. Her head rested on his chest and Norah Jones could still be heard crooning from the iPod that rested on its speakers next to James' side of the bed. "What do you mean?"


"I mean, I'm not freaking out like I was. I mean that I'm ready for all of this because Chad reminded me that as fast as we're moving and as much as I was scared about it moving so fast, I'm not anymore. Because you've been the best thing that's ever happened to me, Josh. You're everything I ever wanted," she rested her chin on his chest and looked up at him.


"Are you just saying that because of how good it was a few minutes ago?" JC teased her and James playfully slapped him. 


"No!" she giggled, as he rolled on top of her and held her arms above her head. "I meant it. All of it!" JC bent down to kiss her and James let him have complete control yet again. It was amazing what he did to her. All of him. She clung to him tighter, reveling in his kisses and his movements above her. 
"I love you, James Ryan," JC said, almost above a whisper. "And I'm not ever, ever letting you go." She'd heard those words before, but they'd been far more sinister and as JC pulled away from her and laid down next to her again, all she could think about was that she did want JC to be the legal father of Sutton more than ever. She brushed her middle finger over her ring finger, knowing what that meant, but also knowing she was more than ready to be JC Chasez's wife.


Anna Anderson looked out the window of her three-story home in the Atlanta suburb of Dunwoody. It was past midnight and he still wasn't home. She wasn't stupid. Business dinners never lasted this long. She knew and she'd known for a while. It was admitting it to herself that had taken the longest.From the outside, she and Clay had the perfect life. From the outside, their neighbors thought they were the sweet and normal neighbors; Anna with her charm and hospitality and Clay with his successful business. Yes, they made quite the impression on those around them. 


She placed her hand on her non-existent bump that was there only weeks before. She'd been ecstatic when she'd found out they were going to have a baby. Already choosing names - Eloise, a nice Southern name, for a girl and Clayton Jr. after his daddy for a boy. She'd secretly wanted Eloise. She'd always wanted a girl first. When Anna had looked at the pregnancy test and saw the double pink line, her heart had leapt for joy. Immediately, she'd made Clay's favorite meal - pork chops, homemade mashed potatoes, lima beans, and Hawaiian sweet bread - lit candles and put on his favorite dress right before he was due home. He'd come in that evening, hardly noticing the spread on the dining room table and barely glancing at her. 


He blamed it on a rough day at the office, but Anna saw right through that. She had hoped the news of the baby would be the one thing that would stop this new strain in their marriage. He finally acknowledged the dinner, before even acknowledging her, that is, and when she sat down across from him and took his hand in hers, his eyes glazed over as she told him their news. 


"We were going to wait," had been his cold response.


"I know, honey, but you know, things happen," she winked at him and brought his hand to her lips, kissing it softly. "I'm due in October. Oh, Clay, I know it's sooner than we thought, but-"


Clay wasn't listening to her, "We just bought this house, Anna. How in the hell are we supposed to pay for a mortgage and a kid? And I thought you were on the pill?!" It had been a conversation he'd had six years previously. 


"How are you pregnant? You were on the pill!"


"I forgot to take it that day. I didn't think you'd be back-"


"Well, that was dumb of you," his hand came flying across her face. "How am I supposed to raise a kid?! Did you ever think of that?" his hand clenched her throat and he pushed her against the wall. 


"Stop, Clay!" James had gasped. He'd released her and she slid to the floor. He didn't want kids. She should've known that. He punched her. Again and again...


"I was, but the doctor put me on antibiotics and it negated it," Anna looked at him uncertainly. "Clay, are you mad?"


He glared at her. "I guess I'll get over it, won't I?" he'd felt his fists tighten under the table and restrained himself this time. This was his wife. He wouldn't do what his father had done to his mother. James had been an ex-girlfriend, Anna was his wife.


Anna shuddered as she remembered the conversation. And then, twelve weeks into the pregnancy, she'd woken up bleeding in the middle of the night. Clay had been attentive then. He'd rushed her to the hospital, held her as she gasped sobs of despair when the doctor had told them there was no baby, and cradled her in his arms all night that night. But it had only been days later when he'd gone back to being distant with her again. And angry. So angry. Watching for any sign of a car passing by, Anna finally gave up and crawled back into bed, letting the tears fall onto her pillow like they had for so many nights in a row now.

Chapter 15 by Alysen Blaine


"...and this will be your room, Sutton," James and JC had taken Sutton to see their new home, which had officially become theirs just hours before when JC signed the dotted line at the realtor's office. Sutton looked around the empty room. It was smaller than the one she had at Chad's, but she liked the little window seat beneath the dormer window, which overlooked the front yard.

 
"I can put my tea set here, Mommy," Sutton walked over to the window seat and placed her hand on the window seat, turning to smile at James. She climbed up to look out at the front yard and then hopped down again. "I love it!" she walked back over to James and JC.


"Good! It's right across the hall from your playroom," JC was taking Sutton's hand, not noticing the pale expression on James' face. 


She'd felt yet another wave of nausea hit her and refused to believe she was getting sick. She took a breath and followed them out of the bedroom and to the other room that faced the backyard and the pool. She wiped a few beads of sweat away from her forehead and swallowed, making the nausea subside for a little while. It seemed to only grow stronger and soon, James muttered something about the bathroom. She'd barely made it to the bathroom that would be Sutton's before she threw her head over the toilet and softly moaned in agony. 


"Baby? Where are you?" she heard JC calling for her, and slowly knelt back on her feet, bracing herself and flushing the toilet. She rinsed out her mouth, still somewhat shaking from being sick. When she walked out of the bathroom, JC knew right away what had happened. "Oh, no. You threw up, babe. We need to get you home."


James shook her head. The talent show tryouts were in an hour and she had to be at Brewster's helping Madison and Kaylie with the lines that were sure to be forming outside. "No. I'm better," she lied, although she could sense the nausea had subsided since she'd let everything out. "I'll be fine." She looked at JC as reassuringly as she could, but he wouldn't buy it.


"You need to go home. I'll call Chad. Maybe he can help-"


"No!" James cut him off. "I'm fine. I promise!" JC eyed her suspiciously and they walked back downstairs, Sutton in front of them, occasionally glancing back at her mother. When they reached the bottom of the landing, JC put his arm around the small of James' back.


"If you start feeling sick again, will you please let me know," he said softly. "Really, don't kill yourself over this, James."


"Josh. I'm fine!"James repeated, and started to feel slightly annoyed. He could sense it and backed off, opening the door for her and Sutton. James breathed in the fresh summer air and let out a sigh, feeling much better just by being outside. 


By the time they reached Brewster's, a line had formed a block and a half down main street. James figured the entire town had showed up. She had heard Kaylie telling Madison that there might be people from neighboring towns like Waycross or Brunswick that would come and try out just to see JC Chasez in person. And these were just the auditions, not even the real show, James thought to herself and she, JC, and Sutton made their way into the shop. Chad met them there, ready to collect Sutton and take her home, but Sutton was begging to stay and watch. She was still too shy to do anything on her own and was going to be a part of the intermission portion of the night with her ballet school.


"You look terrible," Chad looked at James and went over to brush a few strands of hair from her eyes. 


"And you're an ass," James shot back and Chad knew she was in no mood to be teased.


"I'm sorry, doll, but you look like you need to lie down. Are you feeling okay?" Chad pressed his palm to her forehead. 


"Mommy threw up, Uncle Chad," Sutton informed him, and James sighed and shook her head. "Yeah, you did, Mommy. Me and Daddy heard you. And then Daddy was all worried about you and-"


Chad was amused at all of it. "Can't do or say anything around this kid. I hope you know that," he reminded James, as if she wasn't being reminded enough at the moment. "Ok, fine. But if you need to go, I can stay instead."


"Already said that," JC muttered and shook his head. "No point in arguing. I guess we'd better get started." He walked over to where Kaylie and Madison had made a temporary judges table. He chuckled to himself at how much they'd tried to fashion the small space after the stage on America's Best Dance Crew. He sat down and pulled his iPad from his messenger bag. He could feel a part of him awaken that hadn't been awakened in months now. 


"Okay," he heard James turn away from him. "Kaylie and Madison, we need to bring them in by groups of five..."


By the end of the day, JC was exhausted. He'd heard more awful song renditions, seen atrocious dance routines, and a few times listened to a few wanna-be pop groups. His head ached but he'd narrowed it down to twenty people and he'd told each contestant the list would be posted on the window of Brewster's by the next morning. He heard James shuffling over towards him and she sat down next to him, placing a hot cup of coffee on the table in front o fhim.


"Thanks," he rubbed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, letting out a yawn. "That was tiring for sure."


"I know. I was wondering how you were forcing yourself to stay awake at the end," James replied. She looked at her watch and saw it was almost nine at night. Her stomach flip flopped, but she ignored it and rested her hand on top of JC's. "Are you ready to go?"


JC shook his head. "No. Listen," he whispered.


James strained her ears for whatever he'd heard. "Um, what am I listening for?"


"Nothing," JC pulled her chair closer to his. "It's so quiet. Let's just sit here for a while and enjoy it. No music. No singing. Just peace." 


James lasted another minute before she felt her stomach lurch and she quickly ran to the bathroom. When she emerged, JC was frowning at her. "Hope you told Lesly to cover for you tomorrow," JC told her as he slowly stood and collected his things. "Because you're not coming in."


"Josh, I-"


"Stop arguing and just listen for once. You're sick. We're going home and you're going to bed," he interrupted her protests. "We'll stop at the drug store on the way home unless you know for sure there's Pepto Bismol in the house."


James had never had a man protect her like this before. She wasn't used to it and she was having trouble deciphering whether or not she liked it. But by the time they got to the car, she felt so disgusting that she was grateful that he cared so much. When they returned home, James climbed the stairs and after changing into her pajamas, fell on top of the covers. When she awoke the next morning, she was nestled under the covers and JC was resting silently next to her. She smiled, rolled over, and fell asleep again, ignoring the nausea that was yet again rolling over her.


The week of July 4th was the most stressful week James had experienced in her life, or so it felt. She and JC were moving the same day his parents were arriving in town, the Talent Show was just days away, Main Street was hard to access because of the annual parade route the city was preparing for, and on top of it all, James still couldn't shake her stomach bug. 


"You don't think you could be pregnant do you?" Chad asked her, as they unpacked boxes in the dining room at the new house. James was sitting cross-legged in front of a huge box filled with her grandmother's china and nearly dropped the plate in her hand when Chad made his suggestion. Of course it had crossed her mind, but she and JC were careful every time. She had asked around the shop if anyone else was feeling sick and the only person who had even felt the slightest bit so was Kaylie, but that had turned out to be nerves when Kirby Smith, her latest crush, had spent most of the day in Brewster's talking to her. 


"Well, I've thought it, yes," James finally replied, placing the china plate in a stack next to her. She looked at Chad. "Don't say anything to Josh. I'm not 100% sure and his parents come in town today. I'm going to wait until next week to take the test."


"You are insane," Chad shook his head and continued pulling out crystal wine goblets from the box next to him. "How are you going to wait that long? And why shouldn't you go ahead and take it today?"


"Because that's not exactly the way I want to meet Josh's parents. 'Hi Mr. and Mrs. Chasez. I'm James, Josh's girlfriend and also the one he knocked up'!" James refused to look at her best friend, but knew he was boring holes through her anyway.


"It's hardly knocked up, James. This is different than last time, you know. You and Josh are committed to each other and you love each other. I kind of feel like it's the next thing that should happen anyway," Chad told her, trying to be reassuring. "I figured it was going to come, really, at any minute. Lord knows you two do it enough!"


James cracked a smile and then started laughing. She sighed, "I know. I guess I just wanted my second child to be born after I was married. That's all."


Chad bit his tongue. He'd gone with JC just the week before to look at rings. And before the big family dinner that night, he knew that JC was going to talk to James' father about asking for her hand. He simply smiled back. "Well, you never know. Everything else has happened before you thought it would. We'll just have to wait and see what's next, right?"


**
JC paced the living room nervously as James was upstairs getting Sutton ready. By all accounts, James was still an old fashioned girl at heart. She wanted the man she was going to marry to talk to her father. He knew that just from what Chad had mentioned when they had looked at rings. He'd picked one out. It was a simple, platinum, antique design with a cushioned 2 carat diamond in the middle. Chad had raved about how much she would love it and how gorgeous it would look on her finger. JC hadn't purchased it just yet. He needed to talk to Mr. Ryan first and that would be tonight before dinner. He'd already called Mr. Ryan and told him there was something he wanted to discuss and Mr. Ryan had wholeheartedly agreed that they would definitely do so that evening.


He was extremely quiet on the way to Chad's parents house, where the family dinner was being held. When James had questioned him, he'd just told her he was tired from moving all day, which she believed as she was just as exhausted. She'd managed to only throw up once that day and JC had been outside pulling boxes from the moving truck and hadn't heard her. Chad had been right. There would be no waiting until next week. She planned on going tomorrow to the drug store.


When they arrived at the Chasez's home, Chad and Lane came out to greet them, both with solemn expressions on their faces. "Dad decided to go on his homo rant as usual," Chad told them, as they got out of the car. James opened the back door for Sutton, who ran past them and up to the front door, eagerly waiting to see James' parents. "Can't even have a decent family night without him bringing it up. Oh well, I guess I should be grateful he spoke to me."


"Yes, me too," Lane said, as the four of them walked towards the front door. "He normally doesn't acknowledge my existence, but this time I got a nod from him when I came in."


"Thankfully, your mom broke the ice," Chad told JC. "By the way," he looked over at James, "She can't wait to meet you."


James took a breath to calm herself. She and Chad were the only ones who knew she might be pregnant and she wanted to keep it that way for now. She'd been nervous enough to meet JC's parents and the fact that she might be carrying his child without a ring on her finger could pose a problem right away and put their relationship in a negative light. She ignored the feeling of doubt, and smiled back at Chad and Lane and then at JC. "I'm excited, too." 


Upon entering the house, Sutton raced before them calling for her grandparents. Everyone was sitting in the living room. Chad's parents were on the couch and James' parents were sitting on the love seat opposite them. James saw two middle-aged people in the two sitting chairs by the couch and knew right away those were JC's mother and father. They smiled at her and stood, first to hug their son, and then to hug her.


"It's so good to meet you. I've heard nothing but wonderful things," Karen Chasez wrapped James in a warm hug after they'd made the formal introductions. "And I take it that's Sutton over there?" Karen pointed to Sutton who was bouncing up and down on James' father's lap and giggling.


"Yes," James nodded. "Hey, Sutton, come over here for a minute. I want you to meet-"


"Are those Daddy's mommy and daddy?!" Sutton didn't wait for James to finish, as she hopped off Mr. Ryan's lap and came over to where her mother was standing. "I'm Sutton! Are you my daddy's mommy?"


Karen smiled down at her and then looked over at JC. "You didn't tell me you were officially her dad now," she mused and JC grinned at his mother. She looked down at Sutton and knelt to face her. "I am. My name is Karen, but I guess we should probably think of a better name for you to call me, huh?"


Sutton nodded excitedly and then looked over at Roy. "And you're Daddy's daddy? Right?"


Roy chuckled. "That's right," he bent down to hug Sutton and then everyone finally sat down together in a crowded huddle in the Chasez's small living room. Everyone began to talk at once about different things and James found herself taking everything in as she leaned against JC and watched Sutton telling Roy and Karen all about her ballet class. 


"Josh," Mr. Ryan came over to where James and JC were sitting on the floor. "Can you come with me for a minute?"


JC kissed James' cheek before he stood and told her he'd be right back. His heart was pounding so hard that he was sure James' dad could hear it. He tried to remember a situation where he was this nervous and anxious and the only time he could really think of was performing for the first time with Nsync. But this was different. He couldn't screw up the speech he'd been practicing now for days. He followed Mr. Ryan down the hall and into a spare bedroom that he knew used to be Chad's but was now redone as an office and guest bedroom. It was a strange feeling to feel this nervous in his own cousin's home.


Before he could speak, Mr. Ryan said, "I think I know what this is about. My granddaughter calls you her father, my daughter is crazy about you, and you two have just moved in together. Son, if you aren't asking me to marry her, I might get a little irritated." JC gulped but saw the gleam in Mr. Ryan's eye and knew he was teasing. Somewhat. 


"Yes, actually," JC cleared his throat. "That's exactly what I was going to ask you. I want to marry James." He stated it pure and simple, no hoopla, not the speech he had practiced, but of course he'd been interrupted. "Please."


Mr. Ryan slapped him on the back with a firm hand. "Welcome to the family, Joshua," and JC grimaced at the use of his full name, which he'd only heard from his mother when he was in trouble as a child. "We'd be thrilled if you married James."  JC felt as though a weight had been lifted off of him. As though he could fly out of the room and back to where James was still sitting. "When are you asking her?"


"Next week," JC replied, without hesitation. The talent show would be over, they'd be more settled into their home, and maybe by then, she'd be over this flu she'd seemed to not be able to rid. 


Mr. Ryan nodded his approval. "Wonderful. Mary Jo will be thrilled." JC knew Mr. and Mrs. Ryan hadn't been so keen on the pair moving in together, but this was certain to change their minds. 


When they returned to the living room, JC winked slyly at Chad, who gave a small thumbs up without being detected by James. JC resumed his position next to her and she turned to him almost immediately and asked, "What was that all about?"Before he could respond, Chad's mother stood and announced that dinner was ready and everyone filed into the dining room. 


James stared at the rows of pregnancy tests at the drug store the next day. She picked up the cheapest one and bit on her lower lip, wondering if anyone would see her purchasing it. News spread like wildfire in Grayson and the last thing she wanted was people congratulating her before she had even taken the damn test. She looked at the pharmacy counter and saw someone she didn't recognize. Without thinking, she quickly walked over and made the purchase, stuffing the test in the bottom of her purse.

She texted Chad as soon as she was in her car:
Test purchased. Need a clever way to tell Josh. Ideas?


Her phone rang immediately after with Chad whooping and hollering on the other end. "This is wonderful, doll! He's going to be so excited!"


"I haven't even taken it," James responded, starting her car.  "I have to go into work for a few hours and was gonna take it when I get home."


"You should just grab him and start madly going at it when you see him at home. You know, throw him against the wall and-"


"Got the latest book in the 50 Shades series I take it?"


"Can't put it down,"


"Nice. Listen, I can't do any of that. There's a five-year-old that lives with us, remember? Maybe I should just take it and then tell him. Or if it's negative, it won't even be worth repeating,"


"Stop that. You'd better tell him you bought the test. If you want a night alone, I can get little diva. Or, you always have two sets of grandparents right now to choose from,"


"Perfect. You keep reading your little porn book and I'll see if she can go off with Karen and Roy tonight,"


"I'm telling you, James, you would l-o-v-e this book!"


"I'll think about it, okay? I'll talk to you later,"


Karen and Roy had wholeheartedly agreed to take Sutton for the evening and had even planned a dinner with James' parents at the Main Street Diner, with a trip to Morrie's afterwards. Sutton would be in hog heaven with four people doting on her, which James knew without question would happen. She got home before JC, who had opted to stay a little longer at Brewster's to get the final touches done for the Talent Show, which was in three days. James changed out of her jeans and Brewster's t-shirt and put on a pair of JC's boxers and a tank top. He'd once told her that was the sexiest thing she could wear and she'd kept that in mind.


At five, she heard the front door opening and quickly placed herself on their bed, propping herself on her side and leaning on her palm and elbow. She felt a little ridiculous, but her heart was racing and she couldn't wait to put all of it into action. 


"James? I'm home. Where are you?" she heard him call from the bottom of the stairs.


"In our bedroom!" she called back. "Come up here!"


She heard the stairs creak as JC climbed them and soon he was opening their bedroom door. His eyes nearly bulged out of his head when he saw her lying like she was in his favorite pair of boxers. He sauntered over to her and without saying a word, toppled over her and began to passionately kiss her. She playfully bit his neck and JC jumped a little and pulled away. "What's gotten into you?"


James giggled and kissed him again, "Sutton is gone. We have all night," she whispered in his ear. "And we might be celebrating something."


JC kissed her neck and pulled her closer to him. Between kisses he mumbled, "What's that?"


James pulled away from him and reached over, opening her dresser drawer and pulling out the pregnancy test. She flashed it before him and JC's eyes grew wide. "Really?!" he was grinning like she'd never seen him before. "Are you? Do you think you might be?"


James nodded and smiled at him as she threw her arms around his neck. "I haven't taken it yet. But I was just as sick with Sutton when I was pregnant with her. And I wanted you to be here when I took this."


"What are you waiting for?" JC pulled her up from their bed. "Let's do this now. And then we can really celebrate."


James went into the bathroom and when she came out, placed the stick on the edge of the sink. "We have to wait five minutes," she told him. "Are you sure you're all right with this?"


"Mmhm," JC reached for her and they began to kiss, ignoring the timer that was now going off on James' phone. He sighed. "You'd better check that, babe."

James gently pushed him away and went over to the sink in the bathroom. She looked down at the stick and then up at JC.


"I'm pregnant,"

Chapter 16 by Alysen Blaine


He'd lied since he could remember. That's how Clay got on in life. He manipulated, he lied, he twisted things so that the cards were dealt in his. And he usually won. When he'd been four, he found out how easy it was to maneuver a simple game of Candy Land. From there, he found out ways to cheat at Monopoly, video games, and even neighborhood flag football. And if things didn't go the way he wanted them to, he'd manipulate until he was satisfied with the misery of the other party involved. James had been easy to lie to because she seemed to want to believe every word he told her. But soon she'd become more difficult to control and he hadn't wanted to lose her. Yet, when she told him she was pregnant, a baby was the last thing on his mind and the last thing he'd ever wanted in his life. Children were baggage and codependent and he had never wanted them. Leaving James on that floor had been the best thing he could've ever done. 


And he'd be damned if Anna ever found out he'd had a child.


He looked at her, sleeping soundly in their bed. They'd argued earlier that evening. She'd questioned his whereabouts the other night and he had hit the wall with his fist in order not to hit her. Anna had looked at her husband in shock. She'd never seen him so angry. Clay had walked away and gone up to his office for the rest of the night. He reluctantly went back to their bedroom, coerced her into having sex with him-mainly because he needed it, not because he wanted it from her-and they'd fallen asleep. Or at least she had. The whole conversation with the lawyer down south had been weighing on his mind. He didn't want to see James, nor did he want to see the girl. Sutton. Naturally. James had fallen in love with that name years ago. He couldn't help but at least wonder what she looked like, how she acted, if she was anything like him. He quickly pushed those thoughts out of his mind. Even if he wanted anything to do with his biological daughter, he knew James would prevent it. He'd also looked up the name of the man the lawyer mentioned that wanted to adopt Sutton. A former boy band singer who had a reality dance show. He'd wondered how James had managed to pull that one off, and then remembered her gay friend Chad who was related to some singer that Clay had forgotten about. This had to be him. He didn't wish any happiness for James, but there was a soft part of him, a tiny soft part of him, that hoped his daughter would be taken care of by this former flash in the pan.


Then, he rolled over on his side and tried to fall asleep. 


**

The news and excitement of James' pregnancy had been somewhat short lived. Because of the Fourth of July Parade and then the 1st Annual Grayson County Talent Show, James and JC had had little time to celebrate with their family. Sutton had been beside herself when she'd found out. Already she was asking if it was a boy or a girl and every night before James turned off her light, Sutton would tell her mother that she wanted a baby sister. When James tried to explain that there wasn't any way of making that happen, Sutton informed her mother she would e-mail a letter to Santa Claus asking him for a baby sister.

 
The day of the talent show brought much excitement for the little town. Never had there been so many celebrities in at once. And by celebrities, JC had finally made contact with Joey, who'd brought his family to watch. And of course Chris had wholeheartedly accepted, telling JC it would be good to get away from life, although JC hadn't paid it much attention. The entire avenue of Main had been shut down in order to make room for the stage. James had decided that she would open the coffee shop but the auditions had been so overwhelming, that it was best if it had been held outside in front. Chairs were lining the sidewalk and part of the street where a large stage had been erected. The City Commissioner had even asked if there be a special section for him and his family to watch. James told JC it was because nothing had ever happened like this in the town and it would probably be the only time he had "box seats."


JC, Chris, and Joey were seated in the front and James and Sutton sat one row behind them with JC's and Sutton's parents. Chad and Lane were backstage, reluctantly for Lane, getting the contestants organized.


"No, honey, you are number 23. You can't be in front of number 2," Chad hastily pulled a thirteen-year-old girl away from the line and gently pushed her towards the back.


"Are you Joey Fatone?" the girl asked. "My mom says you were her favorite, whatever that means."


Chad blushed and stifled a laugh, "I'm afraid not, sweetie." He walked over to Lane, who was running a hand through his hair and looking quite perplexed. "I just got mistaken for a boybander. Ain't that something?"


Lane looked at him and shook his head. "I just got trampled on by two ten-year-old tap dancers. Do you know how much tap shoes hurt when they stomp on your feet?"


Chad touched his boyfriend's arm. "Oh, honey. I'm sorry. I know this isn't your cup of tea." Chad gave him a pitying look.


Lane smiled. "As long as we don't make a habit of this. Besides, I can't help but not help out James and JC. Now that she's pregnant, I think that adoption's going to happen quicker than we all thought."


Chad was just about to say something when he heard JC's voice in his headset. "Hey, we're about five minutes from starting. Is everyone ready?"


Chad responded quickly that everything back stage was set and ready to go. In a few minutes he heard JC's voice echoing from the stage, welcoming everyone to the first annual talent show in Grayson. That was met by scores of cheers. He then introduced James and Brewster's sponsorship, which was also met by cheering. Then he introduced the other two judges and Chad peeked out to see several women about James' age whooping and hollering from the back. 


James sat with Sutton in her lap and watched JC do his thing. He was somewhat hard on the contestants, just like she'd seen in a few episodes ofAmerica's Best Dance Crew that Kaylie had shown her on YouTube. But she agreed with most everything he'd said and the audience was either too star struck or awe-eyed to care. Literally, everyone in the town and surrounding areas had shown up. People she hadn't seen since high school were there, just to see what their little town was pulling off. Big'un Lester brought his band and sat in the middle of the audience. At one point, James could have sworn she heard him singing along (or trying to sing along) with a teenage boy who was singing "Country Fried" by Jason Aldean. 


The entire show lasted an hour and a half and in the end, Alina Dearing, a sixteen-year-old dancer from Sutton's studio, ended up winning the grand prize, which was an Annual Pass to Universal Orlando. The crowd went wild and all the contestants came out for one final bow. There was much excitement in the air and James knew it was going to be a long night because when it ended, no one seemed to want to go home. The coffee shop had a long line out the door and even Morrie's, which normally closed at seven, was staying open late. Sutton was far from being tired, even though it was almost nine, and was bouncing up and down with Joey's daughters by the stage. 


James was finally able to make it over to JC, who'd been bombarded immediately by old fans or just townspeople wanting to congratulate him. Right before she walked up to him, she saw the City Commissioner talking to him and heard him say, "We'd like to give you the option of opening your own talent studio. It could be adjacent to the ballet studio, but offer singing and advanced dance lessons. Here's my card. You call me and let me know. It's yours if you want it. You've brought more income into our little town than anything we've ever had before."


JC looked floored, "Wow. Thank you, Commissioner! I'll certainly let you know as soon as I talk it over with my-"


"You don't need to talk it over!" James heard herself interrupt. "Sorry, baby, I couldn't help but overhear. And I'm all for it!"


The Commissioner laughed and looked from James to JC. "Well, you don't have to let me know right now. But it does look like you seem to have her support!"  He walked away and JC looked down at James, immediately grabbing her in a hug. 


"I can't believe it," he said into her ear, "Thank you, baby. Thank you so much."

James pulled away and was grinning. "You're welcome. But I think you did this one on your own."


JC could feel the ring burning a hole in his pocket. He'd already planned on asking her after the crowd had died down. He'd even had Kaylie and Madison set up a special table in Brewster's. But he couldn't wait. He was just about to get down on one knee, when Chris jumped on his back tackling him playfully to the ground. JC panicked for a minute until he was sure the ring box was still secure and then threw Chris off of him, both of them laughing hysterically.


"Dude, that was awesome! So fun!" he turned to James. "And this town, it may be small, but I can see why he likes it here so much."


James chuckled at the two men, "Thanks. I'm going to find Sutton before she runs off somewhere."


JC turned to Chris and shook his head, "I was just about to propose, you moron!"


"Sorry. I had too much energy pent up. Hey, who's the girl behind the counter at Brewster's? She's cute," Chris cocked his head towards the shop.


JC squinted his eyes and hoped he wasn't talking about the teenagers. He then saw Lesly pouring a cup of coffee for a customer and grinned. "That's Lesly Parsons. She's the other manager. And you have a girlfriend."


Chris shook his head, "Maybe not for long. We'll talk about that later," he started to walk off and then turned back to JC, "Hey, you did the right thing, man. Moving from L.A. I mean. James is awesome."


JC smiled, felt around for the ring box, and went to go find James to see if he could distract her. The night was far from over.

Chapter 17 by Alysen Blaine

By 11:00, most of the crowd had died down. Sutton had gone home with her grandparents and Chad and Lane were helping break down the stage, although JC had to laugh at Chad who was panicking about getting dust on his linen pants. Lane was constantly reminding him he shouldn't have worn them, but it was doing no good. He walked away and found the coffee shop nearly deserted, the table in the corner set with a single rose and Kaylie and Madison leaving the back office. 


"We'll go get her! She's in the back!" Madison whispered, and pulled Kaylie back towards the office again. In a few seconds, James appeared looking confused, then smiled when she saw JC standing by himself and grinning back at her. The girls quickly ran out of the shop, giggling and whispering. JC made his way over to James. 


"Come sit down," he pulled her hand and led her to the table. The table where they'd had their first date. James sat across from him and looked a bit perplexed by the red rose. She then let out a small gasp when she looked to see JC kneeling before her, a ring between his thumb and forefinger. "James, I know this is soon but that's just how our relationship's been. I can't imagine being with anyone else. So, will you marry me?"


James couldn't breathe, only nod her head slowly and then burst into happy tears, throwing her arms around JC's neck and hugging him tightly. She pulled away so that he was able to place the ring on her finger. He kissed the tip of each of her fingers before enveloping her in a warm, long kiss. James couldn't remember the last time she'd been this ecstatically happy. Sutton's birth was probably the last time she'd felt so elated, but it was a different kind of elation. "Josh, I can't believe all of this," she whispered into his ear as he kissed her neck. "I'm so happy, baby. So, so happy!"


JC pulled away and smiled at her. "I wanted to wait til next week, but I couldn't. And now that we're having a baby-"


James grinned, "A lot's happened in three months." she placed her hand on her belly, and then looked up at JC. "We're gonna have a busy year. Especially with you opening your own talent studio."


"We'll talk about that tomorrow. C'mon, I've got the rest of the night planned," He grabbed her hand and they headed out of the coffee shop and got into James' car. They drove all over town, which wasn't a big feat of course, but they made it into one. First, they stopped at Ruby's and celebrated with ice cold beers and Ruby gave them buffalo wings on the house. It just happened to be karaoke night and JC got up to sing She's Got a Way and then coerced a tipsy James into singing I Got You Babe before heading out. Then, they drove the 45 minute trek to the beach and JC surprised James with a blanket he'd placed in the trunk, laying it out on the sand. Under the stars, on a secluded beach, they made love while the ocean waves crashed on the sand. Finally, they fell asleep, which JC hadn't planned on, but certainly wasn't going to object.


James awoke the next morning with the sunrise. She slowly sat up, looking down at JC who was on his side and fast asleep. She watched him breathe rhythmically and studied the features on his face. She loved everything about him. His passion for the arts, his passion for her and for Sutton and their new baby. His laugh alone made her smile just thinking about it. And he was going to be her husband. She wasn't stupid, of course. She knew they were bound for their ups and downs and the fact that they'd only known each other for such a short amount of time was a little scary, but it just made sense for them. He made sense. For the first time in a long time, James' world was finally starting to sort itself out.


**

"It's federal law, James. If both parents are able, they have to be there to sign the adoption papers," Lane hated having to tell James what he was telling her just a week and a half later. She and JC had been so thrilled about the fact that they could move forward with the adoption before the wedding now, that she hadn't even thought about the prospect of seeing the one man that still made her skin crawl. 


James felt helpless. She looked at JC, who squeezed her hand. "How long does it take? The court session, I mean."


"If all goes well, it will be done within an hour,  maybe not even that long," Lane responded. "I've already mailed him his set of papers for him to sign and we can get a date in Atlanta as early as next week."


"Next week?!" James let out a shaky sigh. She looked at Lane, "I don't want him to see Sutton. I know he says he doesn't want contact or whatever, but he's an asshole and is unpredictable. So if she has to be in the room-"


"Baby, calm down," JC interrupted her and then looked at Lane, "Will Sutton need to be there?"


Lane shook his head firmly, "Not at all. It's a matter of a judge taking away Clay's parental rights and handing them over to you. You'll sign a few papers and that will be that. I'll make sure to talk to whomever Clay has representing him and let him know that Clay isn't to speak to you before, during, or after."


James felt a little more relaxed and tightened her grip on JC's hand. "Okay. Then I guess we just wait to hear from him, then?"


Lane nodded, "As soon as I hear something, I'll let you know."


James was quiet on the drive home. She looked out of the window and a million thoughts replayed in her head. The last time she'd seen Clay, she'd been thrown on a floor and pregnant with their daughter and he hadn't given a damn. Her blood boiled when she thought of the ways he'd manipulated her and treated her as though she was sub-human. 


"What if he changes his mind?" James looked over at JC, who immediately switched off the radio. 


"We'll deal with it if it happens, babe. Sutton's going to be with us regardless. He can't take her away," JC was trying to be reassuring, but he'd felt the same question wandering around in his mind. If this guy really was as horrible as both James and Chad had made him out to be, there was no telling what he was capable of. 


"Are you shitting me?!" Chad nearly dropped the pan of skirt steaks he was holding, later that evening when he and Lane had come over to JC's and James' for dinner. "You have to be in the same room with that asswipe?!"


"Chad!" James shushed him, as Sutton was just in the next room. "Don't make this a bigger deal than it is. Sutton doesn't know what's going on and frankly, it's better that she doesn't. In her mind, Josh is her dad and that's all that matters. When she's older, we're going to explain to her what happened, but for right now, I don't want her to know anything and if you keep reacting like you just did, she'll find out sooner than later!"


Chad took a breath before he spoke, "I'm sorry." He sighed and looked at James with a pitiful expression. "I just hate this for you, doll. If I could, I'd go and beat him up myself, but you know what weak fists I make." This caused a sea of laughter between James, JC, Chad, and Lane and soon the tension of what was taking place the next week was broken. 


Dunwoody, Georgia
Anna had absentmindedly opened something that didn't belong to her. She stared at the sheet of paper in her hand and read over and over again:


...that the biological father, Clayton William Anderson give up his paternal rights as father to Sutton Elizabeth Ryan, hereby handing over all paternal rights to Joshua Scott Chasez....


There was more, but Anna couldn't read it from the tears now streaming freely down her face. He had a daughter. And he had known he had a daughter. There was another name on the form. James Elizabeth Ryan. His ex-girlfriend that he'd made out to be a schizophrenic, psychotic bitch. Nevertheless, her name stood and screamed out to her more than any of the other unknowns on the page. Anna couldn't find the right emotion to feel. Anger. Hurt. Betrayal. And just an overall feeling of hopelessness. Because this marriage was over. She couldn't stay, not after this. He'd had a child this whole entire time and it was the biggest lie he'd ever hidden from her. 


At that moment, the front door opened and she looked up to see him coming toward her, awaiting a kiss from her. Before he reached her, she held the paper in her hand in front of him. 


"Who is James Ryan and why the hell have you been hiding the fact that you had a child all of this time?!" Anna screamed at him.

She was thrown to the floor before she could say anything else. 

Chapter 18 by Alysen Blaine

The Atlanta skyline loomed before JC and James as they drove into the congested traffic on I-75. When she'd been a little girl, the Atlanta skyline had excited James. It meant trips to Six Flags and White Water and the Zoo. It meant eating at the rotating restaurant on the top of the Sheraton and shopping with her mother at Lenox Square. Now, looking at it, her stomach was tied in knots.  Tomorrow it would be all over and she'd hopefully never have to hear the name Clay Anderson again. She hadn't slept the night before. JC hadn't either and in the middle of the night, he'd whispered, "James?" She'd responded, "Yeah?" And from there, they stayed up the rest of the night talking about what was going to happen in a mere 48 hours.

They'd dropped off Sutton at her parents house early that morning and right away, Mary Jo Ryan sensed they were anxious and tense.


"It will be fine," she'd tried to reassure them. "You know he doesn't want custody. He's never tried to contact you. I think it will be fine." Sutton had run ahead of her grandmother into the house and Mary Jo was able to talk freely with James and JC.


"I know, Mom. I just know what he's capable of. It wouldn't surprise me if he suddenly wanted joint custody just to screw us over," James looked at her mother and Mary Jo immediately enveloped her in a hug. 


"It will be fine, she'd reiterated gently, and kissed James' cheek. She looked over at JC. "Josh, you have to be strong for both of you, okay?"


JC nodded and reached for James' hand. "C'mon, baby. We'd better get on the road." He glanced at Mary Jo and tried to match her reassured smile. It was nearly impossible. He'd been feeling just as anxious as James. He knew that ultimately, even if Clay gained partial custody, he'd still see Sutton more than Clay would. He also knew that Sutton would think of him more as her father than Clay and that her calling him "Daddy" wouldn't ever end. But the adoption meant more than that. She would have his name and in a few months, so would James and they'd finally be a full-fledged family. And Sutton had no idea that all of this was even going on. They'd told her that Mommy and Daddy were going off on a little vacation with Uncle Chad and Uncle Lane but that they'd be back in just two sleeps. Lane had told them if Clay ended up asking for custody, they would have to bring Sutton to Atlanta and go from there in the proceedings. It made both JC and James sick at their stomachs to think of that possibility.


Lane and Chad had followed them up to Atlanta as Chad was going to stay an extra day to finish up the work in the Buckhead pub he was redecorating. But they'd all agreed to stay at the same hotel and meet for dinner that evening at the Atlanta Fish Market, a four-star restaurant near their hotel that Chad and Lane had raved about for months. 


It was nearing 4:00 that afternoon by the time they checked into their hotel. Both James and JC were exhausted and tried to take a nap, but spent the next two hours laying next to each other wide awake. When they met at the restaurant later that evening, Chad shook his head at their disheveled appearances. 


"Have you slept? I mean, at all?" he asked them, as they followed the maitre'd to their table. 


"No," JC replied. He and James had tried to look decent, but the bags under both their eyes had given them away.


"I've got some Tylenol Sleep in the room. I'll give you both one when we get back. You need to be well-rested for tomorrow," Chad sat next to Lane and across from James, who was trying very much to be present with everyone, but her mind was already wandering to what tomorrow would behold. So many "what-ifs." What if Sutton had to go live with her father every other weekend? What if her daughter never forgave her for making her go? But what if everything went just as smoothly as Lane had assured them and in a few months she and JC would be married and of course there would be a baby. She slowly let herself breathe in and out, looked over at JC and gave him a smile he hadn't seen in days.


"What?" he asked, while Chad and Lane were looking over the menu.


"I just, I think it's gonna be okay," she squeezed his thigh. "I do. I think we're all gonna be fine."


JC smiled back at her and leaned over to peck her cheek. "I'm glad. I think we're both getting worked up for nothing. We'll be fine."


Later that evening, Lane gave them a play-by-play of what would most likely happen. They'd meet in a room similar to a conference style meeting room. Lane would sit on one side with James and JC, Clay on the other side with his representation. A judge would sit at the head of the table, listen to both arguments, and make his decision. However, if Clay immediately stated he wished no parental privileges, they'd sign papers and it would be over. "And then, we'll go celebrate because I think that tomorrow Sutton will officially be Sutton Chasez." Lane leaned back in his chair and grinned at them.  "Get some sleep. You're going to need to be awake for tomorrow."


Back at the hotel, James brushed her teeth and pulled the covers back, gratefully crawling under them. JC was watching television but when he saw her get into bed, he put the remote down and pulled her next to him. He kissed her softly and then trailed his hands down to the bottom of her tank top. "I think we should probably relieve some stress. Don't you?"James didn't object and pulled him on top of her, reveling in the ecstasy he gave her. Her pulse raced and she felt his heart beating on top of hers. It was exactly what they both needed. And it was enough to cause them to fall asleep without the aid of sleep meds.


The next morning, both JC and James awoke before the alarm went off. They met Chad and Lane downstairs in the lobby for breakfast, but James could barely keep anything down. It was a mixture of morning sickness and nerves. Meanwhile, JC chugged three cups of coffee and went back to the breakfast buffet multiple times. By the time they were ready to go, JC was on a caffeine high and James was bemoaning the fact that she was both hungry and nauseated. 


"You're not going to puke at this hearing are you?" Chad asked them, as they piled in the backseat of Lane's car.


"If I do, I'll make sure to aim at Clay," James leaned against the backseat and watched as the skyscrapers of Atlanta passed them by. 


The law offices were in a bank building on the twentieth floor. As they rode the elevator, James clutched JC's arm tightly. She knew when the doors opened, she would be facing the one person she had dreaded seeing since the whole ordeal began. JC squeezed her hand and let out a shaky sigh and looked over at his cousin, who'd come along for moral support. Chad winked at JC, trying to be a silent voice of encouragement. The doors opened and the four of them walked into the marble foyer of Moran, Lang, and Jefferson Law Firm. 


Anna was sitting outside of the conference room next to Clay. She looked over and saw who must be James Ryan. Clay had lied yet again. James was beautiful, certainly not the white trash woman who'd been described to Anna. Suddenly, she felt even more intimidated. She hung her head and refused to look up. 


James saw him right away. He hadn't changed, only gained more weight and appeared more smug and cocky than she'd remembered. The woman next to him looked absolutely defeated and broken, not daring to make eye contact.

 
Anna glanced up quickly to see the handsome man standing with James. She recognized him from the poster that had hung in her college dorm. JC Chasez. The man she used to secretly daydream about and gush to her roommate. And he was standing there, next to the one woman she'd become jealous of in a short amount of time. Because this woman had managed to escape Clay's abuse. And Anna didn't care if James' life had been difficult after they'd broken up. Clearly, she was getting the better end of everything in life.


"Well, it looks like we're all here," a lawyer representing Clay opened the conference room door. "Judge Mahoney is just inside. Ready when you all are."

 
"We're ready," Lane responded, and waited until Clay and Anna stood. He turned to Chad. "Babe, just wait out here and make sure Mary Jo is posted on anything you might hear." He then turned to JC and James. "Don't be nervous. We got this."


They filed into the conference room and took seats across from Clay and Anna.
"James, so nice to see you," Clay's introduction was fake and everyone in the room could tell. James didn't respond, only turned her attention towards the judge. "So, still the pious little snob you were six years ago? My, my some things never change."


"I have nothing to say to you," James replied, in an icy tone. 


"I think we should begin," the judge cleared his throat and broke the tension. "Now-"


"Your Honor, forgive me, but I think this can be handled in less than five minutes," Anna couldn't believe herself for opening her mouth. She was risking a lot, but she didn't care anymore. "My husband doesn't want children. He never has. And I think the sooner he signs over his rights to Ms. Ryan's fiance, the better."


The room was silent. James could tell that Clay was fuming, but he managed to keep his calm by saying, "I think I'd like to hear who my biological daughter is going to be handed over to before I sign anything." He glared at Anna and whispered something inaudible to everyone else but her. "You'd better shut your mouth. Don't make me embarrass you in front of everyone. And you know I will."


The Judge looked over at JC and James, speaking to Lane, "Without anymore interruption, could your client please verify who he is and how he plans on supporting the child." He turned to the lawyer sitting next to Clay and Anna, "And one more outburst from either of you and I'll have you removed."


JC looked at Lane, who nodded at him to speak. JC cleared his throat, "My name is Joshua Chasez. I recently relocated to Georgia from L.A. I have my own production company and am about to open a talent studio in Grayson, Georgia. Sutton will be provided for in a stable family. James and I have just purchased a home and plan to get married within the year. I love Sutton as though she were my own flesh and blood. She will never lack for anything, but especially she will never lack for love because there is more love in our home than anything else."


James wanted to kiss him in front of the entire room, but only reached for his hand, slipping her fingers through his. They had won. She knew they had, especially after Clay's wife had interrupted the judge in a move that was probably meant for the good of her and JC, but ultimately had backfired. 


"Does your client have anything to refute this?" Judge Mahoney looked at Clay's lawyer, who motioned for Clay to speak.


"Well, my wife is correct. I don't want kids and I don't think I ever will. If my daughter is anything like her mother, I'm sure she's beautiful and charming, but I am not in a place where I want to be responsible for her. I'm ready to sign off or whatever I have to do."


And in five minutes, it was over. JC was granted the legal father of Sutton and in a few weeks, her birth certificate would have a different last name. James couldn't help but cry tears of joy as they all stood  from the table. She hugged Lane tightly and then threw her arms around JC as they both laughed and cried together. She caught Anna looking at her, forlornly. As they filed out of the conference room, Anna tapped her arm gently.


"I hope you know how lucky you are," Anna nearly whispered, then quickly walked ahead of James to catch up to Clay, who was yelling at her to get on the elevator.

Epilogue by Alysen Blaine
One Year Later
In the last year, James had opened the back to a patio that didn't overlook much, but it still gave customers an option to eat outside and enjoy the weather. She'd also cut back on her hours, giving Lesly more responsibility and had made Madison an Assistant Manager. Hunter had quit over Christmas to focus on sports and collegiate visits. It paid off. He would be going to Georgia Tech in the Fall. Kaylee and Madison were both heading up to Savannah to attend Armstrong Atlantic and since Madison and Hunter were still together, Hunter had promised to visit as often as possible.
The JC Chasez Talent Studio joined forces with Sutton's ballet studio and there was a waiting list of people ranging in age from 5 to 50. It had put Grayson on the map and The 2nd Annual Talent Show had gone off without a hitch. Chris had come up again to judge. This time he stayed a little longer. He and Lesly were dating quietly on the side. 
Chad and Lane had flown to Massachusetts and eloped shortly before Christmas. They were splitting time between Chad's home and a small apartment they'd decided to rent in Atlanta as Chad had been there almost every weekend with new design projects. Chad had mentioned to James they were looking into adoption sooner or later.
And of course there was the wedding - a quiet affair the October after the adoption, which was  in the backyard of Chad's home, with just family in attendance - and the arrival of the twins. Yes, twins, which had surprised both JC and James when  the doctor had informed them at the ultra sound back in September. Olivia Ryan and Landon Joshua had been born the week after Valentines' Day and could not have been more perfect. Sutton had been over the moon with being a big sister and adored her little siblings. 
It had been a busy year, but James couldn't have ever wanted anything more for herself. She sat on the back porch overlooking the pool and sipping on a cup of coffee while the sun set. Olivia bounced next to her in her swing and JC had been inside changing Landon's diaper. Sutton had just come out to go swimming before bed. It was a perfect evening.
"Amazing that breast milk can cause such an explosion!" JC chuckled, as he came outside, Landon on his hip and a cup of coffee in his free hand. He handed the baby to James while he took a seat next to her. He looked down at Olivia, who cooed at him and JC couldn't help but pick her up out of the swing and bounce her on his knee. 
"Thanks for changing him," James smiled and kissed Landon's chubby cheek. 
"Mommy! Daddy! Watch!" Sutton called to them, as she cannon balled into the water. Her head came bobbing up and she was grinning from ear to ear.
"That was awesome, sweetheart," JC called back to her. He looked over at James, almost amazed that this woman was his wife. Sometimes it still felt as though they were both living a dream, because life had literally been almost perfect since they'd met. And now he looked around and felt lucky to be a father to three of the most amazing children in the world. "Hey," he said softly to James. 
She looked from Sutton back to JC. "Yeah?"
"I love you," he sipped his coffee and slid his arm around her shoulder as the sun slipped behind the clouds.
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2391