Forever Alone? by Lew
Summary: JC's new album Kate was a huge success, breaking records and climbing the charts.  He is on top of the world until someone he never thought he would meet enters his world and turns it upside down.  What will JC do to make sure Kate is never afraid again?  
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Kate
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 12896 Read: 7529 Published: Jun 03, 2012 Updated: Jul 18, 2013

1. Chapter 1 by Lew

2. Chapter 2 by Lew

3. Chapter 3 by Lew

4. Chapter 4 by Lew

5. Chapter 5 by Lew

6. Chapter 6 by Lew

7. Chapter 7 by Lew

8. Chapter 8 by Lew

9. Chapter 9 by Lew

10. Chapter 10 by Lew

Chapter 1 by Lew

JC was sitting on top of the world. 

Literally, he was looking down on Central Park from his hotel room window as he pretended to nod along to what his manager was saying from the couch behind him.  But emotionally JC was flying. 

His new record Kate had been released last week to a record number of sales.  And from some of his manager’s rumblings, JC knew that his was currently the most downloaded song on iTunes and was rapidly climbing the charts with his single Dear Goodbye. 

It felt good to be making music again and for his fans to still have faith in him even after all these years.  Obviously, from the numbers of people and screams outside his hotel, he had not only the faithful fans, but also a number of new ones.  It was nice to see that the younger generation still appreciated good music.  He smiled to himself at that thought – the younger generation.  He didn’t consider himself that old, only 35, but in the fickle music world, he was almost washed up.  But that was before his comeback.

Now – with this album – he was back and better than ever.  Music was what he was made for. 

***

Stretching his arms as tall as he could, JC tightened and then loosened each muscle group before he rolled his back down so he could touch his toes.  Rising back up again, he placed his hands on his hips and twisted his upper body, appreciating the slight cracking of his back.  Feeling loose now, he grabbed his jacket and wallet following Tom, his manager, out the door.  He finally tuned into what Tom was telling him. 

“Now as soon as the show is over and everyone is loaded on the buses we are going to head out.  You can shower once we get to our next destination.”

“I know, Tom.  In case you’ve forgotten, I happened to have been through this at least once or twice now.”  Not even his manager’s frustration could bring down JC’s happy mood.  “Come on, Tom.  I know what to expect.  This is just the opening night of the tour, relax man!”

Tom rubbed his eyes.  He was fairly new to this whole experience.  He had just a few clients, but had known JC for years.  So JC had decided to give Tom a chance.  JC could see Tom’s potential and so far his risk was paying off.  Tom knew how to get the publics attention and hopefully keep it. 

“I’m sorry, Jace.  I just want to do a good job and keep everything running smoothly.”  Tom flipped through the screens on his phone, once again checking and rechecking everything he had on his list. 

Laughing, JC shot his trademark smile, “By the end of the tour, you will be performing those tasks in your sleep.  Now chill, everything is going just exactly as planned and we are on tour – connecting with the fans, singing again!”  JC bounced up and down on the balls of his feet as the elevator doors opened to the lobby. 

Deafening screams greeted him and JC had a genuine smile on his face as he was quickly moved through the lobby.  He would have loved to stop and chat and sign some autographs, but the schedule was too tight today to allow such activities.  All he could do was smile and wave before he boarded the bus. 

A sudden overwhelming sense of gratitude filled JC and he paused on the bottom step causing one of his bodyguards to shoot him a hated look which JC ignored.  Motioning for the crowd to stop screaming for a moment, he waited until it quieted momentarily. 

“I want to thank you for all of your support and dedication through this whole looong process of Kate.  I love you all!  See you at the concert tonight!!!”  JC threw off the hand of the bodyguard as he was being shoved into the bus.  This new bodyguard, Pete, had come highly recommended, but JC felt very uneasy around him.  JC made a mental note to talk to Tom about replacing him or moving him to another position. 

The ride to the venue was short; at least it was sold out.  He wasn’t playing to stadiums anymore, but he didn’t need to play to such large crowds.  JC wanted to connect with his fans on a much more intimate level, these were the ones that had supported him from the early days of his career and he wanted to give back to them in some way. 

The meet and greet went by quickly and soon JC was sitting down with a reporter for a very brief interview before he had to get dressed and mentally prepare himself for the performance. 

The questions were routine and such that JC could have answered them in his sleep, then came the question he had been waiting for.  He was surprised at how long it had taken a reporter to finally ask the question – “Who was Kate that the album was named for?  A girlfriend?”

A far away look came into JC’s eyes that the reporter quickly noted.  “No, definitely not a former girlfriend.  Actually, I was going for something entirely different.  If you look up the meaning of the name Kate, it means pure – and that’s what I was going for in this album.  A pure sound.  So I researched different names and settled on Kate.”

His eyes met the reporters and held, hoping she would buy the explanation.  It was lame, but it was the best he could come up with.  He sent a brief apology to the Kate that he actually named the album after, but wasn’t willing to part with his secret. 

While he wasn’t sure if the reporter bought the response, she did move on and closed the interview.  JC was relieved he hadn’t dated anyone named Kate, at least that he could remember so hopefully if she went digging into his past she wouldn’t find anything incriminating and Kate could remain a hidden part of him. 

With a smile and a hug, JC escorted the reporter to the door.  It was almost time for his show.  He couldn’t wait to step back into the spotlight and sing in front a crowd again.  He had missed this…

Two encores later, JC was ushered out the back door at a full out run.  The massive crowd was still screaming for more behind him.  Out of breath from the ninety minute performance then the run to the bus, JC collapsed on the couch as the bus immediately began moving. 

His muscles were quivering from the large amount of adrenaline running through his body.  But he was exhilarated. 

***

Several days and various tour locations passed as JC maintained his same energy in performing.  The city where the tour was located now - he couldn’t remember where - was one of the few stops where everyone was able to sleep in the hotel for 2 nights in a row – a luxury they didn’t often have. 

The first day had been pretty relaxed for the most part since there hadn’t been a performance that night.  But it had still been filled with interviews and autograph signings so when JC made it to the hotel that night, all he was dreaming about was a hot shower then bed.  By staying in the same city, he could sleep in to a more reasonable hour rather than getting up before dawn to move to the next city.

Somehow the lobby was not as crowded as in had been in other cities, perhaps the fans hadn’t found where he was staying yet.  Whatever the reason, JC was grateful for a peaceful walk through the lobby instead of a sprint.  But as he stepped on the elevator, he looked behind him to Tom.  “Tom, can you have some more towels sent to my room.”  He rushed to finish his sentence as the doors closed in front of him. 

He rolled his neck, as he muttered to Pete, he really needed to talk to Tom about him.  “Can you believe today?  I must be getting old, this isn’t as easy as it used to be.”

Pete merely grunted in response before stepping out of the elevator first, checking to see that there were no fans around.  After Pete gave the okay, JC tiredly walked down the hall to his room, waiting patiently for it to be unlocked for him.  Gaining entrance, he flopped facedown on the bed, sighing happily that he was finally able to rest. 

But just as he was nodding off, a knock on the door startled him.  He waited for Pete to use the key card to gain entrance, but the knock came again.  JC stumbled to his feet and got up to open the door.  “How many times do I have to tell you – ”

But it wasn’t Pete at the door, instead a woman stood there holding a stack of towels.  JC took a quick glance down both sides of the hallway, no Pete in sight.  Normally, if JC needed anything a maid brought the item and handed it off to a security member.  That way any crazy fans were denied access to him. 

“Sorry, I thought you were someone else.”  He reached out to take the towels.  “Thanks for bringing these so quickly.”

But she took a quick step back out of his reach.  “I’ll put these away for you and make sure you have everything else you need.”

JC thought that was a little odd, but was too tired to question it so he simply opened the door wider for her, moving away to allow it to shut once she was in the room. 

“Are you enjoying the city so far?”  The woman asked as she entered the bathroom. 

“Um, yeah so far, at least what I’ve seen of it, which hasn’t been much actually.”  JC dug through his suitcase as she quietly arranged the towels.

“Good, that’s good, do you have plans to do any sightseeing before you leave?”

What was taking her so long to put the towels on a shelf?  JC wondered as he answered, “Not really, the schedule is so tight that it’s not very often we get to enjoy the scenery around us.”

Before she could ask another question, JC called out, “Look, I’m sure I have everything that I need, thanks for bringing the towels, but it’s been a long day and – ”  He stopped as she exited the bathroom, a distraught look on her face.  “Are you okay, is there something wrong?”

“Is something wrong…it’s funny you should ask that.  Yes, JC,” she spat out.  “There is something very wrong.”  JC was shocked at how quickly her attitude and demeanor had changed. 

“I think it’s time for you to leave, whatever is wrong you can address with your manager, but you really need to leave my room.”  JC inched toward the phone on the nightstand. 

“I don’t understand how you could take something so personal and precious away from me like you did.”  The woman’s voice increased in volume and frustration.  

JC stopped in his tracks, hands up in an innocent gesture, “Look, I don’t even know you so I don’t know how I could have done anything to you.  I’m giving you one more chance to leave peacefully before I call in my security.”

“You’d like that wouldn’t you – just call in the big guys for something that you don’t want to have to deal with yourself.  You men are all the same, but you took it to the next level.  Humiliating me and reminding me all day every day, which is why you are the worst kind of scum on the planet.”

Opening his mouth to call out, JC was interrupted once again, mistakenly not moving as she stepped closer.  “I’m leaving, I just had to meet you in person one time.  Now I wish I hadn’t bothered, you’re nothing, but you think you are a superstar that can just take whatever you want from people, well I’m sick of it and it stops now.” 

With that, since JC hadn’t backed away, the woman held her eyes on his as she sharply brought her knee up hard to his groin.  JC exhaled rapidly as he collapsed to the floor, tears stinging his eyes at the pain. 

“That is just a small percentage of the pain that you have caused me to relive over and over.”  With a final haughty look, she turned and left and quickly as she had come. 

JC took a few moments to breathe through the agony, but he wanted that woman stopped before she escaped too far.  He crawled to the door, stopping to rest briefly before opening it and yelling for Pete.   

Pete came running down the hall, seeing JC writhing in pain on the floor.  “What happened?”

Lifting a hand, JC stopped Pete’s questions.  “Stop that woman that just left.”

Pete lifted his radio and spoke a few quick words, but JC pointed to the woman who was calmly walking toward the exit.  “Her – stop her, she did this, I want to talk to her.”  He said ominously.

JC let the door close as Pete ran down the hallway.  He knew whatever incompetence Pete had, he would at least stop the woman so JC concentrated to being able to stand and walk. 

Clearly, this would take awhile. 

***

JC recovered in stages, first sitting up on the floor, then moving to sit on the bed, then finally standing on wobbly legs.  And as he moved through each process, he got a little more angry until he was in a red cloud of fury.

What seemed to be hours later, he was finally able to shuffle around the room.  Now he was determined to find the woman and say a few choice words to her before she was taken away. 

With one hand on the wall of the hallway, he made his way to the room another security man had indicated.  He pounded on the locked door and waited impatiently for Pete to open it. 

JC pushed past Pete as soon as he opened the door.  Pete had secured the woman with a plastic zip tie holding her hands together behind her back.  She sat in a chair leaning as far forward as she could, fingers wiggling behind her back.  Her long brown hair had come untied from its ponytail and most of it was down around her face so that it was totally hidden from JC’s view. 

Full of anger, JC paced haltingly back and forth in front of the defeated looking woman.  “Who in the hell do you think you are?  Huh?”  He didn’t wait for a response.  “What gives you the right to break into my hotel room and – and assault me?”

JC’s fists clenched tightly as he looked down at her bent head.  “I have never seen you before in my life, you must have me mixed up with someone else, but that doesn’t excuse your behavior.”  Frustrated at her lack of response since he was raging for a verbal fight, he asked her the simplest question in his mind. 

“What is your name?” 

The woman slowly shook her head, still not raising her head.  For a moment, he wasn’t sure she was going to respond.  Then with a deep sigh, she uttered the one name that could bring him to his knees. 

“Kate.  My name is Kate.”

 

End Notes:
Thanks for reading and please review!
Chapter 2 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Thanks for reading a reviewing!  

“Kate.  My name is Kate.”

That name. 

Kate. 

JC hadn’t expected that and he could feel his blood drain from his face and the anger from his body.  His not quite steady legs became even more so.  He felt behind him for the bed and almost fell onto it. 

He wasn’t sure how much time had passed as he tried to come to grips with this news.  Head in his hands, he could feel his chest moving so he must still be breathing.

Time stopped and he became aware of every little sound.  The click of the fan as it turned off; the television show from the room next door; the sounds Pete made as he crossed his arms; and the soft breathing of the woman across from him. 

“You’re making that up!”  JC mumbled into his hands, somehow this woman had found a way to unsettle him. 

Pete cleared his throat from near the door.  JC suddenly wanted privacy.  There were only two people in the world who knew the secret and if this was her, she would be able to tell him.  “Pete – can you step out for a moment?”  JC demanded. 

He stopped Pete’s refusal with a shake of his head and a raised hand.  “This woman won’t hurt me any more, stand outside the door if you must, but I need you to leave now.”  JC held Pete’s stare until he turned toward the door.  Then something occurred to JC, “Pete, before you go remove the cuffs from…from Kate.”  In disbelief, JC watched as Pete turned a hated look his way then slammed the door behind him. 

On wobbly legs, JC stood over Kate to better see how to remove the restraints.  What he saw snapped him into action, the restraints had been pulled so tightly they were cutting off the circulation to her hands.  That was why she had been wriggling her fingers, try to keep the blood flowing.  The tips of her fingers were beginning to turn blue.

JC snatched the phone from the nightstand and dialed the front desk.  In a brisk tone, he ordered a pair of scissors to be sent up immediately to the room.  “It’s an emergency,” he said just before hanging up. 

He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, if this was really the Kate, he owed so much to her and wouldn’t see her in restraints any longer.  It was strange how his attitude had changed in just a few moments – from complete and utter rage to protective and grateful. 

But at the warmth of his hand, Kate jerked away from his touch.  “Please just let me go, you’ll never see me again, please just let me go.”  It was the hint of tears that caused JC to lower his guard completely. 

Gently, he asked a question, just to make absolutely certain that she was who she said.  “Kate, there is only one other person in the world that knows why I named my album Kate.  Can you tell me why that is?”

She sniffed, delaying her answer.  “Because you found the poem I wrote and sent to the heavens one night.  Please, I’ll never bother you again.  I’m sorry I hurt you.”

One last question, “Kate, how did you send your poem to the heavens?”

Sighing raggedly, she answered just above a whisper.  “In a green balloon, tied with a silver ribbon.  The poem was on one side and a note on the other of the paper rolled up inside.”

With that, JC knew that this was the real woman in front of him.  The real Kate.  The woman he had never dreamt he would find.  His reverie was interrupted by a knock on the door.  Striding quickly to the door, he opened it and grabbed the scissors from the concierge.  “Thank you, I’ll send these back down shortly.”  He let the door close behind him and immediately used the scissors to cut through the hard plastic. 

He kept a firm hand on her shoulder as he set the scissors down out of Kate’s reach.  He was afraid that she would bolt from the room.  As soon as JC had released her, Kate moved her hands in front of her and started massaging the blood back into them.

A small tug of war ensued as JC reached for one of her hands to see the extent of the damage.  He knelt on the floor in front of her and got his first glimpse of her face since she had left his room. 

Shocked, he trembled now in rage, this time directed not at Kate, but Pete.  Standing he looked down at the innocent woman in front of him.  Gritting his teeth, he couldn’t hold back the roar of outrage that escaped involuntarily from his throat. 

“I will have his head for this.”

End Notes:
I know, I know, hopefully I will have the next chapter up soon.  Don't forget to review!
Chapter 3 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Wow - so sorry it's been so long since I've updated.  Hope you enjoy!

“Don’t move,” JC said sternly as he stalked to the door.  Throwing it open, it banged against the wall. 

The bang startled Tom, who happened to be walking past the room at that moment.  “That man -,” JC pointed at Pete, “is fired.  He is to be removed immediately from the tour and I don’t want to ever set eyes on him again.  He’ll be lucky if I don’t prosecute him for what he did.”  With that JC, turned and slammed the door once more behind him. 

With softer steps now, he again knelt in front of Kate.  She had her head down again with her arms wrapped around her waist as she rocked back and forth.  Trying not to scare her, JC scrubbed his hand across his face as he considered what to do next. 

Kate’s chin was tucked against her chest as he reached out once to touch her then pulled his hand away.  Drawing a deep breath into his lungs, he reached out again with purpose. 

He reached to raise her head, but she jerked back from his touch.  This time he placed a firm, yet gentle hand on her shoulder, holding her place as he tried again.  This time, with his hand on her chin, he had his first full look at her face. 

One eye was almost completely swollen shut.  It was already bruising.  There was a long cut on her cheek which JC realized was from the ring on Pete’s finger.  She darted a quick look at JC before she immediately blinked and looked down at the carpet. 

“Oh, Kate, I’m sorry.”  He watched as a tear slid down her cheek.

Before, she could wipe the tear away, more poured down her cheeks and a sob burst out of her throat.  Her hands immediately went to hide her face from him as she bent back down so her hair covered her face.  JC didn’t know what to do so he stood and paced to the window.  He walked back and forth for a few minutes listening to her sobs but as they finally lessened, he paused at the window staring unseeingly into the night as he tried to figure out where to go from here. 

He heard the rustle of fabric and turned quickly back to the chair.  Kate was making her way, speeding, to the door.  Jumping into action, JC slammed the palm of his hand on the door above her head, causing her to jump in fright at both his appearance and the noise. 

***

Scared and nervous, Kate didn’t know what she would do next.  With her hand still on the door knob, she leaned her head on the door for a moment, trying not to panic.  What had she been thinking confronting JC?  She always knew her impulsiveness was going to get her into trouble someday, she had just never dreamed it would be like this.  With a shuddering exhale, Kate turned her head slightly to see JC still behind her, but just beyond him was the bathroom door.  Ducking under his arm, she ran into the bathroom and quickly shut and locked the door behind her. 

Avoiding the mirror for the moment she put the toilet seat down and shakily lowered herself down.  Here she was – locked in the bathroom of the celebrity she didn’t even like right now, at a hotel in an unfamiliar town, unsure of what her next step would be. 

Kate lifted a hand to her cheek to wipe away the tears, forgetting about the cut.  Stifling a scream at the pain that seared through her head, she took at deep breath hoping the pain would subside. 

The soft knock at the door surprised her.  “Are you alright?”  JC called softly through the door. 

“Yes,” she whispered. 

Kate wasn’t sure what to make of JC.  His mood had run from total anger to shock.  She wasn’t sure what his mood would be when he calmed down and had time to process everything.  Hopefully, she would be long gone and never have to see him again. 

“What was I thinking – coming here like that?”  She looked up in the mirror through her one good eye.  Gingerly, she felt around the swelling and bruising starting to appear.  The cut was long and deep, but she didn’t think she would need stitches.  Besides there was no way she would be going to a hospital like this.  Using a wash cloth, she carefully cleaned the cut, eyes stinging at the intrusion.  There were no other toiletries that she could use to prevent infection.  Perhaps when she was able to get away, she would be able to beg a band aid from the front desk. 

Letting the cold water run, she took a new wash cloth and soaked the material with the cool water.  Maybe this would grant her a small measure of relief.  She didn’t even have her purse with any headache medicine with her.  Wringing the cloth out, she tipped her head back and gently placed the cloth on her face, wincing at the pain. 

Kate had no idea how much time had passed as she sat on the bathroom counter and leaned up against the wall.  She might have dozed off at some point since the cloth was now warm. 

Mentally berating herself for allowing her to succumb to sleep, she tossed the wet cloth to the floor.  But with the sound of the hotel room door closing, she listened intently.  Hopefully, JC had given up his vigil and she could sneak out the door. 

Now was her chance…with her finger on the push button lock to stifle the sound, she slowly turned the door knob…

End Notes:
Thanks for reading and let me know what you think!
Chapter 4 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Can't believe it's been so long since I've updated this story.  I have the next few days off and the ideas have been flowing so I hope to post more.  Let me know what you think!

Before she cracked open the door, she used her free hand to silently flip the light switch, plunging the room into darkness.  Cracking the door only a sliver, she waited to hear JC. 

Silence…

Hardly daring to hope escape would be that simple, Kate slid the door open another inch and used her good eye to look out into the room.  From what she could see, the room appeared to be deserted.  Still cautious, she opened the bathroom door just enough that she could slip out and started to reach for the hotel room door. 

“Going somewhere?”

The words came out of the stillness in the room and made Kate gasp and spin around.  While she had been locked in the bathroom, JC had taken the opportunity to rearrange the room, pulling a chair so that he had a clear view of both the bathroom and room doors.  She was sure that if he wanted to JC could simply stretch out his leg and stop the door from opening.  How she hadn’t seen him in her quick scan, she didn’t know.

He gazed at her over his steepled fingers held at his mouth.  Kate couldn’t define the expression on his face but she was desperate to leave so she used one hand behind her back to tug on the door handle ready to run out and down the stairs. 

Her escape was blocked by the intruder latch on the door, but as frantic as Kate was to leave the hotel and never see JC again, JC was just as determined that he would be getting to know this woman and would not let her leave like this, never to be seen again. 

With the door opening and Kate ready to run – past the guards, prepared to do whatever she needed to in order to leave – JC simply stood and wrapped an arm around her waist, picking her up almost casually. 

Kate was simply too tired, stressed, and defeated to try and fight one more time.  She went limp in JC’s arm – so quickly that he had to take his free arm and place it under her knees to keep her from tumbling head first to the floor.  Scooping her up in his arms, she tensed until JC laid her on the bed.  Scrambling on all fours, sobs tearing from her throat, Kate grabbed a pillow and ended up on the farthest side of the bed from JC, her back to him.

In complete misery, Kate cried for every hurt that her ex boyfriend had ever done to her…every time she heard JC’s song on the radio…every time he gave an interview on his album Kate. 

Why had she ever written those words and stuffed them in a balloon?  For a while she had felt free from her ex’s abuse, but then everywhere she turned she was reminded of him by JC’s song. 

Exhausted  and defeated, Kate did the only thing her body would let her do…she cried herself to sleep. 

***

Kate woke to the sound of someone snoring loudly.  Without opening her eyes, her mind wandered dreamily trying to figure out who was making all that noise.  Gradually her eyes opened to see a glass of water and some pain reliever on the nightstand in front of her.  As she sat up in the bed, a damp cloth fell to her lap.  Picking it up, she ran it through her fingers.  The cloth was still slightly cool and damp.  Kate tentatively reached up and probed around her blackened and bruised eye.  It felt cool to the touch; her gaze strayed to the man in the chair.  JC must have placed the cool cloth on her face after she fell asleep. 

The man in the chair was a puzzle.  She observed him in silence, not daring to wake him up, unsure of what his temperament would be.  He had moved his chair up against the door, his head was tipped back resting against the door and his feet were stretched out before him. 

The pounding in her head prompted her to reach for the pain killers.  Once she downed the pills, she leaned back against the headboard and wrapped her arms around her knees, taking the opportunity to study the man from across the room. 

Time passed as Kate watched him unaware.  A loud crash in the hallway jerked him awake and Kate watched unashamedly as he sat up quickly and scrubbed at his face.  He drew his feet in close to the chair and rested his elbows on his knees trying to wake up. 

Without warning, he looked straight at her.  She immediately looked away, finding a loose string on her shirt to play with. 

“Morning,” JC growled then cleared his throat. 

Kate simply nodded in acknowledgement. 

“Kate?” 

She didn’t look at him. 

“Kate, look at me for a moment…please.”  JC demanded in a soft voice. 

She took a deep breath then looked up into his serious, tired eyes.  JC smiled at her and spoke in a tone that she knew he meant business.  “Now, I need to go in there,” he nodded toward the bathroom, “for a minute.  Can I trust you to stay here and not to run away or do I need to take you in there with me?”

JC waited, his leg jiggling.  Kate looked at him calmly but gave no response.  JC’s voice came out almost pleadingly.  “Please, Kate, I’m trusting you.  We will have breakfast and talk and then …”

Her eyes searched his face for something, he wasn’t sure what, but finally she nodded and whispered, “okay.”

“Okay, what?”

“Okay, I won’t go anywhere.”

“Okay then, excuse me for a minute.”  JC stood, leaving the chair where it was, and entered the bathroom closing the door behind him.  He hoped she would still be there when he exited. 

Kate was tempted to run, but she thought again of how JC had taken care of her during the night and decided to wait and see what he had to say.  If he didn’t let her leave after that then surely there would be some chance to escape from him later. 

***

JC flushed the toilet and quickly washed his hands, trying to hear any movement from the other room.  He hoped she would keep her promise and stick around.  For what, he wasn’t quite sure yet.  But he knew that he wouldn’t be able to let her go, not without even knowing her last name. 

He threw open the door to the bathroom, expecting to see her running out the door, but the chair was still where he had left it.  He moved into the room to see Kate standing with her back to him, arms wrapped around her waist, looking out the window into the parking lot far below.  Clearing his throat, he waited for her to turn around and acknowledge him.

No response. 

On silent feet, JC walked to stand next to her.  He waited patiently. 

“Look at all the people down there, running around, so many places to see, so busy to stop and look and think.”  Kate remarked quietly. 

Shocked JC tried not to make any sudden moves, this was the first time since learning who she was that she had made any effort to start a conversation. 

“You can’t keep me here, unless you are going to press charges, you know.”  Her statement sounded almost like a question.  JC licked his lips nervously.  This was a very gray area he was in, however he didn’t think she would come at him for kidnapping. 

“Kate…I don’t want to hurt you…or – or scare you, but I just can’t let you walk out of here without – ”  JC groaned, frustratedly running his hand through his hair, unsure of what he even wanted from Kate – an explanation, another song…something else he couldn’t define. 

Out of the corner of her eye, Kate snuck glances at JC.  Could she trust him enough to share a little insight into her world?

Chapter 5 by Lew
Author's Notes:
I know this is a short chapter, but more should be up soon...

Just as she was ready to tell JC whatever he wanted to hear so that he would let her go, his stomach growled loudly.  Immediately JC put a hand over his stomach and smiled in embarrassment, his face instantly turning red.

Against her will, a small smile caused one side of her mouth to turn up before she could stop it.  Ducking her head, she let her hair fall so that he couldn’t see her face.  Kate jumped when JC placed a light hand on her shoulder. 

“How about we –”  JC broke off his words when Kate ducked away from him as if she were expecting to be hit.  She tried to cover her actions when she realized JC wasn’t going to hit her, but she crossed the room to the bathroom quickly and shut the door behind her, the lock was loud in the silence. 

“Careful, JC, this is more complicated than you thought.”  He whispered under his breath as he gazed toward where Kate disappeared. 

The words to the song ran through his mind. 

Crying, desperate, fighting
Questions scared to let go

We used to be so beautiful
But the days go by and
Things get better

I'm weary from the war
I'm losing half my soul
But the days go by and

Past the point of reasons
I just want you to believe
That it's not your fault

Cry your eyes to sleep
It's like a thousand rainy nights
Oh, drowning lows

Photographs, the close up, what we had
Come undone

Where did it all go wrong?
The days go by and
Things get better

**  Excerpt taken from JC Chasez’s Dear Goodbye

Now that he had met Kate, the words took on new meaning and when she flinched away from his touch, he found they had even greater meaning.  Was the war that she had written of abuse?  Abuse from her boyfriend?  Husband?  He hadn’t seen a ring on her finger so he would put the husband thought out of his mind right now.  A shudder ran through him at the thought of him basically kidnapping another man’s wife. 

So when the bathroom door opened, JC instantly wanted to clear the air.  “I need you to be honest with me.  Answer this one question for me and we can leave the rest alone for right now.”  Kate studied him, wary of his serious tone.  But slowly nodded her acceptance.  “Are you …are you married?”

Serious herself, she shook her head. 

“Engaged?”

Another shake.

Relieved he posed one final question.  “Is there someone you need or want to get in touch with?”

Still holding his gaze steady, she finally spoke.  “No, there’s no one.”

He considered her response for a moment.  Then slowly nodded.  “Then let’s get some breakfast.”

He didn’t miss the quick glance she made toward the door.  While he didn’t like keeping her against her will, he was willing to overlook that little detail until he got the answers he was looking for.  And just looking at the body language she was trying to conceal, he knew that she would take any opportunity to run from him again, but he had a plan now. 

From scoping out the room last night, he knew that Pete had left some zip ties on the dresser so without further ado, he took charge of the situation and tried to distract her from what he was doing and the sound of tightening a tie around his own wrist and beginning one for her. 

“So I’m thinking we will head down and grab some breakfast, we can bring it up here if you want to or eat down there, but after that we can run by your room and you can grab a change of clothes if you want to then I’ll want to shower real quick and then we can talk.”

When JC turned back around, one arm behind his back, Kate looked at him strangely and backed away from him as he approached.  But that didn’t stop JC.  He tried to pay no attention to the guilt that he felt, grabbing her wrist gently but firmly in his warm hand.  He quickly slipped a zip tie over her hand and then looped another one through hers then the one on his own wrist. 

This was done so quickly that Kate was simply stunned.  She lifted her own arm and JC’s followed suit.  Now the guilt was full blown on JC’s face and he bit his lip as he avoided her eyes and tugged the long sleeves of both their shirts down to hide the binding as best he could. 

Looking back up at Kate, he noticed that she had no words, only her mouth opening and closing in shock as she stared at JC.  “Let’s head down to breakfast, okay?”

Without waiting for a response, he laced his fingers through hers and once again adjusted the sleeves so the ties couldn’t be seen.  Satisfied, he tugged Kate along behind him and out the door. 

Hopefully, she would hold her tongue until they were alone again…

End Notes:
Please review!
Chapter 6 by Lew

The door slammed behind Kate as JC led her what he hoped was casually down the hall.  She was still trying to take in everything that had happened over the past twelve hours.  She had gone from impulsively and regrettably confronting JC and everyone knows that completely backfired to being handcuffed to the man that just hours before she had detested with every fiber of her being. 

He has no right to keep me here, she fumed as the elevator doors closed in front of them, and the car began to ascend.  “Where are we going?”

“Breakfast.”

“Breakfast is off the lobby, which is down, you pressed the wrong button.”  Kate had hope that if she could get around people, she would have a chance to escape from JC.  But that plan would only work in the lobby close to people and the exits.  If they were going up, that was farther away from the parking lot, fewer people and she would have a hard time outrunning a determined JC. 

Kate reached out her right hand in front of JC to push the lobby button on the elevator.  His hand rose with hers and then forced hers away from the button.  “The tour has a private room set up with a buffet for us.”

Okay, this would be harder than she thought.  Kate tried to come up with an alternate plan, but was distracted by the warmth and strength of the hand that held hers so tightly.  Mentally shaking her head, she looked around for escape opportunities as he led her into the deserted breakfast room. 

Defiantly, she looked around the room, “How do plan to eat like this?  Just release me, I mean where can I go?”

JC picked up a plate and handed it to her without even glancing her way, “Nice try, but no deal.”  He scooped up some eggs on the spoon and held it, waiting for her to lift the plate.  She did so reluctantly. 

“What if I don’t want eggs for breakfast?”

JC didn’t even bother to respond as he added sausage, hash browns, and some fruit to the plate before grabbing silverware, which he put in his shirt pocket.  He still hadn’t let go of her hand.  “Coffee?”  He asked as he hooked two mugs on a finger and grabbed the carafe, finally making his way to the table. 

He positioned them so that their bound hands could be obscured by a corner of the table.  JC poured the coffee for them both and moved the cream and sugar to where she could easily reach it before he sat down and looked up at her expectantly.  “Have a seat.”

“Why is there only one plate?”  She asked suspiciously as she sat down carefully, placing the full plate on the table. 

JC simply handed her a fork and napkin and slid the plate closer to the middle between them.  “Dig in.”

“I’m right handed,” she said as she lifted their joined hands to remind him.  “And I don’t share my food with strange men.”

He sighed and scooped up a forkful of eggs and lifted them to her lips.  His brow lifted as he waited for her to eat.  Kate’s head drew back as she eyed both the fork and hand in front of her then JC’s face.  “Look I can wait all day, but these eggs are going to get cold eventually.”

He could see the confusion and hesitation in her eyes.  But there was a glimmer that showed the hunger along with her left hand that lifted almost involuntarily to place against her now growling stomach. 

“Come on,” he prompted. 

Kate licked her lips then moved toward the fork he lifted encouragingly.  Her lips parted and JC gently fed her the eggs, drawing the fork away and looking away as she chewed and swallowed.  He cut up a bite of sausage and they repeated the process. 

And so the meal continued…a bite of eggs, then some fruit, then sausage, and hash browns.  He paused occasionally for Kate to take a sip of coffee.  JC tried not to notice the delicate way she ate or dabbed at her mouth with the cloth napkin.  He bit the inside of his cheek to keep from bending over and kissing away the crumb on her lip.  He moved their still linked hands farther down his thigh as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat. 

He almost violently stabbed another bite of sausage and went to offer it to Kate again but she waved her free hand as she chewed her last bite.  “I’m done, thank you.  Let’s get a fresh plate for you.”  She slid her chair back and started to stand until she realized that JC was just finishing the food left on her plate.  No wonder he had dished up so much food, the plate was supposed to be for both of them. 

Kate noticed that he hadn’t even reached for the other clean fork.  Instead, he bent his head and shoveled food into his mouth with the same fork she had used.  He apparently had no qualms about sharing germs and it wasn’t long before he had the plate clean. 

“Do you want anything else?”

Kate shook her head then rose to her feet as JC put the silverware on the plate and drained his cup of coffee, placing both empty cups on top of the plate as well.  “Can you grab the coffee pot?”

He waited until she had done as he asked then followed as she placed it back on the warmer then deposited the dirty dishes on the tray. 

“Okay, what’s your room number?  We can stop by and you can change your clothes and you can freshen up if you want to.”  He waited expectantly. 

“Actually, I don’t have a room, my stuff is in my car.  Untie me and I’ll run down and get it real quick.”  She held his gaze, hoping he wouldn’t see the deceit in her eyes.  The first chance she had, she would be gone. 

A smile lifted JC’s lips.  “I don’t think so, I wouldn’t dream of allowing a woman to go unescorted to the parking garage.  You never know what kind of danger is lurking around.”

“Yeah, right.  The danger is not in the parking garage, it’s right here.”  Tears welled in her eyes as she whispered the words under her breath and looked at the carpet, startled when he stopped abruptly on the way to the elevator. 

“Kate…”  He lifted her chin and saw the tears in her eyes that she tried to blink away.  “Oh, Kate…I’m sorry.  I can promise you that you are in no danger here.  Pete is gone and I won’t let anyone else hurt you.”

His thumb wiped away a stray tear on her cheek.  “Then let me go.”  She pleaded. 

“I can’t – not until I know more about you and can make it up to you now that I know who you are.  Please understand.”  He looked at her, trying to convey all that he was feeling and yet couldn’t put into words. 

She sniffed deeply and unenthusiastically let JC press the button to the parking garage.  What would he think of her now?

Seeing no way around it, she led JC to her car, steeling herself for his disdain.  She felt more than heard his quick inhale as he took in the rusty old scratched up car.  She could almost hear his thoughts as noticed the clothes piled up in the front seat and the sleeping bag and pillows along with more clothes in the back seat.  That car held everything she owned and everything that was precious to her. 

JC couldn’t believe what he was seeing. 

Kate was living in her car.

End Notes:
Thanks for reading and plesae review!
Chapter 7 by Lew

Stunned, JC allowed himself to be pulled as Kate kicked the lower part of the door then hit it just under the drivers door window before jiggling the handle exactly twice then yanking it open.  She ducked in and rummaged around in the console as JC stared at the mess in the car. 

He never noticed that she pulled out a pair of scissors and cut open the restraints that held them together.  “Well JC, it’s been…interesting.  Hopefully, we will never cross paths again.”  Kate got in the drivers seat, unrolled the window, pumped the gas pedal, and turned the key.  The car clicked once then she repeated the maneuver. 

JC realized that she was going to leave and he still knew next to nothing about her.  This living out of her car…this he could fix.  So he dove in the open window, pressing her back against the head rest and twisted the key, pulling it out and pocketing it quickly.   

“Kate – there is no way I can let you leave like this.  Are you really living in your car?”  He shouted on a tangent.  Footsteps behind him made him pause and decide to take this conversation elsewhere.  “Come on, grab some clothes and we are going upstairs.”

Kate grabbed a backpack out of the pile before JC pulled her back.  He slammed the door lock and shut the door before placing his hand under her elbow and practically running to the elevator. 

In silence, they rose to the floor where JC’s room was.  Immediately upon the opening of the doors, Tom leapt toward them.  “Where have you been, JC?  We’ve been looking everywhere.  We need to leave for an interview in five minutes.”

JC simply held up a hand and kept tugging Kate down the hall.  “Cancel it; right now I’m not even sure there will be a show tonight.  But I can’t deal with that right now.”  As he was digging his room key out of his pocket, he touched Kate’s car key.  Slightly twisting as he walked he tossed the car key to Tom.  “Can you get someone to empty the car and put the clothes and stuff in some suitcases and then find a safe place,” he said wryly, “for the car.”

“What?”  Kate shrieked.  “No, you can’t do that!”  JC opened the door with a quick turn of his wrist and lightly pushed Kate in, letting the door slam behind him.

Not expecting the shove, Kate stumbled before she caught her balance with the doorframe of the bathroom.  Her first thought was to grab the phone and call for help.  She didn’t want to be locked up with JC any longer.  Who knew what he had in mind for her?

JC thought of the phone the same instant she sprang into motion and raced to place his hand on top of hers.  He gentled his touch when she flinched away from him.  “Kate – let me – let me help you…please?”

Her hands came up to hide her face as loud sobs broke free from her throat.  He gently enfolded her into his arms, eventually maneuvering her so that she was cradled on his lap in the nearby chair.  “I’m sorry, Kate, I’m going to do everything in my power to help you and trust me you will never have to live in your car again,” he whispered into the soft hair at her temple. 

JC wasn’t sure how much time had passed; he had ignored the several insistent knocks at the door.  Kate finally calmed down enough and moved from his arms to grab her backpack off the bed where she had placed it and had been in the bathroom with the shower running for twenty minutes. 

He paced the small room until he was sure his footprints would forever be imprinted in the cheap hotel carpet.  He had come to a decision while holding Kate – he wasn’t leaving this room until Kate talked to him. 

Without warning, the bathroom door opened; he hadn’t even noticed the shower turn off. 

“Kate – ” 

“JC – ”

He motioned for Kate to go ahead.  Her hair was wrapped in a towel and the clothes she now had on were wrinkled, but they appeared to be clean. 

Kate took a deep breath as she prepared to speak.  “JC, if I tell you what you want to know, you have to give me your word that you will let me go and forget all about me.”

He was so distracted by the way she removed the towel from her hair and shook her head to let the hair fall around her face that it took him a moment to process her words.  “Kate, I don’t make promises that I can’t keep, but I will however give you my word right here that I will never forget you.”

Kate was taken aback at his words, his serious tone, and the genuine look in his eyes that she didn’t realize that he hadn’t given his word to let her go.  She became to comb her fingers through her wet hair and JC grimaced at the tangles.  He grabbed his own brush from the open suitcase on the table behind him and with a hand on Kate’s back, he led her over to the chair and footstool. 

Sitting in the chair, he patted the footstool and she cautiously sat down in front of him.  JC was thinking that if she wasn’t facing him, perhaps she would be more open and he hadn’t met a woman yet that didn’t like to have her hair brushed. 

“I don’t know where to start.”

He lifted the brush and tenderly began working through the tangles as she gathered her thoughts.  “Start at the poem you wrote.”

Her shoulders rose with the deep breath that she took.  “The poem, okay…”

Chapter 8 by Lew
Author's Notes:
This chapter has a lot of dialouge, but things are explained.  

“I wrote those words almost a year ago – you call it a poem, I call it some desperate words strung together.  It’s funny until your song, I never thought of it anything other than words declaring my…my frustration – my desperation, for lack of a better word with my life – my situation at the time.”

Crying, desperate, fighting
Questions scared to let go

JC kept quiet, rhythmically brushing her hair as he listened to the unspoken words behind the story that she was telling him.  “I met Luke years ago on a blind date set up by a coworker who wanted to go out with his cousin, so I tagged along not really expecting much to come of it.  But Luke and I hit it off at the beginning.”

We used to be so beautiful
But the days go by and
Things get better

“We went on double dates with his cousin until they broke up then we started seeing each other several times a week.  Putt putt golf, dinner, a picnic in the park, concerts, opera – you name it we did it together.  I thought I had finally found the guy, you know?  We were as close as two people could be, I thought anyway.  He traveled a lot for work since I often drove him to the airport; he would leave his car at my house because he didn’t live in the safest part of town, he said, and he didn’t want it to be stolen.  One day I was running late for work and my car wouldn’t start so I drove Luke’s.  And I stumbled across a ring.”

I'm weary from the war
I'm losing half my soul
But the days go by and

“I was over the moon, I thought Luke was going to propose and I didn’t want him to know that I had found the ring so I went to hide it back in the car and I came across,” she sniffed and wiped away what JC assumed was a tear, but she stiffened her shoulders and continued.  “I came across a picture that must have fallen out of his wallet of Luke and a woman in a wedding dress.”

Past the point of reasons
I just want you to believe
That it's not your fault

“And just in case I had any doubts, it had a cute little note written on the back signed by his wife,” she spat out the words.”  “Mrs. Lucas Schmidt, and it was dated only two months prior to that point.”  JC’s breath hitched and he paused in his brushing, but Kate’s voice was stoic. 

Cry your eyes to sleep
It's like a thousand rainy nights
Oh, drowning lows

“I confronted him of course, as soon as he returned, and he denied it as I knew that he would and I told him that we were over.  He brought out the ring and told me he wanted to marry me – that things weren’t working out with his wife, he just needed more time to tell her.  But when I threatened to give his wife a call and let her know what was going on he backed off – or so I thought.” 

Photographs, the close up, what we had
Come undone

Kate’s voice became almost a whisper.  “But he didn’t stop.”  She got up and paced to the window her arms hugging her waist tightly.  JC wasn’t sure she even remembered he was in the room.  She was just talking and trying to work it out in her mind.  “His behavior escalated over the next couple of months.  It started with notes and flowers being delivered to my house and the office, then visits where I refused to see him.  I would call the police, but he would always be gone by the time they arrived so they would warn him away and it would work for a while.”

Where did it all go wrong?
The days go by and
Things get better

**  Excerpt taken from JC Chasez’s Dear Goodbye

“It was during that time that I wrote those words and rolled it up in the balloon and watched it float away, hoping that my fears would drift away as easily.”  Kate turned around a looked JC straight in the eyes.  He fell back against the chair at the look of fear in her eyes.  “I thought I had finally seen the last of Luke, until one night I was working late at work.”  JC stopped breathing.  “I don’t like taking the elevator alone, because what if it stops working…so I took the stairs and he was waiting for me.”

JC stood, desperate to take her in his arms and offer what comfort he could, but he was stopped by the hand she raised to him.  “He broke my wrist, a couple ribs, and put more bruises on me than I’ve ever seen.”

“I was lucky; a security guard heard something suspicious and came to investigate.  He pulled Luke off me and restrained him until the police came.  I was unconscious by then but that’s what they told me.”  She absently rubbed her wrist. 

“I spent a couple days in the hospital; talked to the police; and they did everything by the book, but said that he would probably get off with a light sentence since he didn’t have a prior offense.  So I stayed around long enough to recover – he was in jail – then I testified, sold my car, bought another one that he didn’t know about, sold the rest of my stuff, rented out my house, and left.  All my worldly belongings in my car.”

Needing a moment to compose herself, she dug into a side pocket of her bag for a tissue.  JC’s fists clenched until he was sure the blood flow stopped. 

Clearing her throat, she took a deep breath and pushed through the rest.  “So anyway, I was driving around, afraid to stay one place too long, when I heard that song on the radio one day.  I was absolutely floored that someone – you – had taken my private pain and broadcast it for all the world to see.  So I found out where your tour was and came after you.  I didn’t really have a plan as you could see.”  Her arms came up waving in the air, hoping JC could understand her point.

Shrugging, she finished, “So you see, I’m not really a threat, and I hope you will keep this all to yourself.  I just wanted…I don’t know what I wanted, but I am sorry I hurt you.”  Her eyes glistened with unshed tears as she looked earnestly at JC, trying to convey her sincerity. 

JC couldn’t stay away any longer.  He rested his hands on her shoulders for a moment as she tensed.  “No, I’m sorry.  I found that poem New Year’s Day and those words opened up a floodgate of music for me.  Those words spoke to me, but I should have never used that song so publicly.  I’ve always wondered and thought about you every time that song crosses my mind.  You are the reason I named the album Kate.  I had hoped one day to meet you, but never imagined in would happen like this.”

He enveloped her in his arms and whispered in her ear.  “We are going to figure this out together, I promise you.”

End Notes:
Please review!
Chapter 9 by Lew

The pounding on the door made Kate jump and break out of JC’s arms.  She wrapped her arms around herself, strangely cold now that JC wasn’t giving her his body heat.    “You’d better get that, it doesn’t sound like they are going away this time.”

In the moments that it took JC to tear himself away from Kate, the person pounding on the door switched from one fist to two.  “Okay, okay, I’m coming.”

He stood back from the door so he wouldn’t be hit in the face with the fists that belonged to…Tom.   “Hey Tom, what’s going on?”  JC leaned against the door jam casually.

Tom took a deep breath and gave JC a moment to study him.  Tom was very pale, breathing heavy, and his hands were closed tightly around a clipboard and his phone.  “JC –” Tom said through clenched teeth.  “What do you think you are doing?  Is it your goal to give me a heart attack?” 

Not giving JC the opportunity to answer, Tom stepped back and motioned to JC to precede him down the hallway.  “Let’s go!  I canceled your interview this morning, but you still have sound check, the meet and greet, and in case you’ve forgotten A CONCERT TO PERFORM!”

JC rubbed the ear closest to Tom in pain, shaking his head in denial.  “We can’t leave just yet.”

Tom’s voice dropped dangerously low, “What do you mean we can’t leave yet?”

JC shot a quick glance behind him to see Kate again looking out the window.  So he was startled when Tom yanked him not so gently into the hallway, shutting the door behind JC.  “I’ve done as you asked – that girl’s suitcases have been packed, and her car, if you can call it that, has been detailed and is full of gas with the suitcases packed in the trunk for her.  And Pete has been reassigned to another position, NOW we are running late so LET’S GO!”

“Tom,” JC warned, his own voice barely above a whisper.  “Pete was to be fired.”

“For what, a personality clash!?”

JC’s jaw clenched and he turned back to his room.  He knocked since his key was sitting on the dresser inside.  When Kate opened it, he stepped aside and placed a hand on the small of her back, turning her toward Tom and lifting one of her arms with his free hand.  “Does this look like a ‘personality clash’ to you?”

His face turning slightly green now as he looked at Kate’s bruised and bloody face, JC watched as Tom’s attention then turned to the wrist he was holding even as Kate struggled to get away from him.  “Pete did this?”  He asked JC still looking at Kate. 

JC nodded. 

“Surely, he had …”  His voice trailed off with one look from JC.

“Is she pressing charges?”

Kate shook her head quickly, then with a glance at JC turned her attention to the floor.

JC immediately protested, “Kate, you really should.”

She stayed silent and tried to slink back into the hotel room, but JC wouldn’t let her escape.  “Tom, we need a few more minutes.  Oh and can you have someone take Kate’s luggage to my bus and send Ray to me please.”  JC named one of the other bodyguards that he knew he could trust.

He followed Kate back into the hotel room and let the door shut in Tom’s face.  JC followed Kate across the room where he settled on the bed as she curled up in the chair with a leg beneath her and crossed her arms over her chest – already closing him out. 

“Look, Kate, I know what you’re thinking, but just hear me out for a minute.”  He rushed on without allowing Kate to speak.  “There is no need for you to keep running any more.  Look – you’ve got royalties from the song coming to you.  One or two more songs like that and you can be set for life.  You can stay on the tour – ”

Kate held up a hand and immediately interrupted, “JC, this was never about money, I don’t want your guilt money.  I didn’t seek you out for money, and as for the tour – there is absolutely no way I can ever go on tour with you.”

“Just hear me out for a second.”  He rushed over her shake of the head.  “You can ride my bus and just hang out if you want to.  Take a break, see the world.”

Emphatically, Kate shook her head.  “No, JC, don’t you see, this thing –” She waved a hand between them.  “This fascination you seem to have for me can go no further.  And not only that, even if I did decide to go with you, you have so much press and publicity that if one picture – just one – was leaked…I’m afraid Luke would see it and come find me.  And honestly, I could never just hang out on tour, I would get so bored so fast by doing nothing.  JC – it’s…it’s not going to work.”

Tamping down the rush of excitement at her words, JC spoke carefully.  “So…your objections are number 1 – getting bored on the tour,” he raised fingers in the air as he counted.  “Number two – you don’t want to take the money that is rightfully yours and number three – publicity that may be leaked.  Is that it in a nutshell?”

“Yes, so JC, if I could just have my car keys, I’ll be gone.”  Kate stood up and reached out her hand, palm up.

Instead of placing the car keys in her hand, he grasped it in his, closing his warm fingers around her cold ones.  “So, if I get rid of these problems, you’ll join the tour?”

Already Kate was shaking her head in disbelief that JC would be so arrogant to believe that those problems could be fixed so easily.  “JC, those aren’t easy problems to fix.”

With a stern look, JC tried another tactic, “Alright, I’ll make you a bet.  If I can make the problems disappear – you’ll come with me for the rest of the tour.  If I can’t, then I’ll let you go and even throw in a new car.”

“Alright, JC, if and that’s a big if you can solve all these problems, then I’ll join the tour.  But you’re never going to be able to stop all the publicity surrounding you.”

JC held a smirk back, she really didn’t know him that well, since she had just issued a challenge – and JC could never turn down a challenge.  He released her hand and held out his right one.  “Let’s shake on it.”

Hesitantly, she placed her right hand in it.  He shook her hand a couple of times, giving her a cocky grin.  He nodded once as if everything had been decided already.  “Okay then.”  Giving her hand a pat before he released it, he moved to the door to start the ball rolling on Kate joining the tour.  “I’ve got to get to sound check, you hang out here, if you need anything ask Ray.  He’ll be outside the door until I get back.  You might want to take a nap, the buses will be leaving extra early in the morning.”  With a lighthearted wave, JC smiled and shut the door behind him leaving Kate staring after him confused. 

“What have I done?”

End Notes:
Things are about to get interesting!
Chapter 10 by Lew
Author's Notes:

I know - I know!  I'm sorry it has been so long since I've updated.  Life got in the way and the words just weren't there, but I hope to keep them coming.  

Let me know what you think and thank you for reading! 

Kate lost the bet…

She joined the tour where JC kept watch over her as well as hired her own personal bodyguard.  Slowly Kate became more comfortable around him and lowered her guard a little, finally able to trust a man again.  But while she still kept her distance, when Chris joined the tour for a few days, he decided to help things along. 

***

Kate casually walked around JC’s stool and handed him his cup of coffee.  He was on the stage finishing up his sound check.  She had her head down to hopefully avoid the guilty look on her face.  JC was too busy talking to Chris, who was sitting in the third row of the audience to pay any attention to her, other than a casual thank you for the coffee.  The band behind him was making sure everything was in order for the show then slowly leaving. 

Kate stepped back behind JC and out of his eye sight.  She looked pleadingly at Chris one more time, but all Chris did was discreetly raise his eyebrow and nod subtly.  JC was talking on and on about something and Chris would pipe in with a comment every now and then. 

She took a deep breath then stepped forward, stopping directly behind JC’s stool.  Biting her lip, a mischievous look appeared on her face.  With one hand, she reached out and hovered over the back neck of his t-shirt.  With the other, she slowly raised it up…and with one quick motion, she pulled the shirt away from his neck and quickly dumped a cup full of ice down his back. 

He gasped and yelled, jumping up from his seat, immediately pulling the shirt from the waistband of his jeans so the ice could fall away from his skin.  Kate stood in horrified fascination watching JC dance around the stage trying to get the ice cubes out of his clothes. 

Her hesitation cost her precious seconds in escaping. 

Dimly she could hear Chris yelling at her to run, but she couldn’t take her eyes off JC.  Even watching him trying to get ice out of his shirt, his every move was graceful.  He had such a potent masculinity that it took her breath away.  She was tired of fighting her attraction to him.  But she was scared that he would turn out to be just like every other man that had even been in her life. 

His approach made her jolt from her day dream and she scurried to put the drum set in between them.  The exit was right behind her. 

“It’s Chris – it was all Chris’ idea.  He is evil.”  With her empty hands reaching out innocently, she babbled on. 

“This was Chris’ idea?”  JC questioned and he turned back to Chris for a moment.  Kate took that opportunity to run. 

Knowing that Kate was out of earshot, JC sent a grateful look at Chris and a quick but heartfelt “Thank you” over his shoulder as he pursued Kate, stopping only long enough to grab a couple of the ice cubes from the floor. 

Conscious of the fact that JC would be right behind her, Kate sped down a long hallway knowing that if she could make the parking lot, she would have freedom.  JC would be unable to follow her to the parking lot with all the fans so Kate was anticipating that she would be able to hide out for a few hours and hopefully JC would forget about getting revenge. 

But just as she passed the last hallway, she heard heavy running footsteps quickly coming up behind her.  JC had apparently taken a shortcut and was now right on her heels.  Kate put on a last minute burst of speed and was closing in on the outside door to freedom when an arm around her waist stopped her in her tracks. 

JC’s arm was like a band of steel that plucked her up off her feet and swung her away from the door.  He placed her back on her feet and she quickly turned to face him, unaware that he was slowly backing her into a corner, his arm still around her waist. 

She pleaded with him not to use the ice in his hand that he held up threateningly with his free hand since she was sure she would get hypothermia or some other such nonsense as she rambled on; but then couldn’t keep up the pretense any longer and dissolved into laughter.  JC’s head went back as they laughed together but soon JC looked down at her with his twinkling eyes.  Slowly they stopped laughing and just stared at each other. 

Kate couldn’t define the emotion that was in JC’s eyes, but they softened until she felt he was looking into her soul.  JC knew he was getting a rare glimpse of the true vulnerability of Kate.  He could see the fear and hope and a glimmer of something else, could it be happiness and joy?

Still breathing heavily from their run, JC dropped the ice cubes to the floor where they bounced off his shoe and rolled down the hallway.  His now free, cold hand came up to cradle Kate’s cheek.  His eyes locked firmly on hers, daring her to turn or pull away from him.  She met his stare head on, her lips parting as his thumb caressed her bottom lip before moving back to her cheek.  The heat from her blush warmed the palm of his hand. 

JC’s head lowered until their breath mingled.  Still he hesitated – not wanting to rush her if she wasn’t ready.  Kate waited for him to force his kiss on her, but he didn’t.  What seemed like long minutes passed as they both waited for the other to move. 

“What do you...want, Kate?”  His whisper was a caress over her skin.  Kate licked her lips and watched JC’s gaze drop.  Still she hesitated, waiting for JC to make the first move.  The seconds ticked by slowly as they both waited. 

Not being able to take it any longer, Kate took matters into her own hands.  She lifted her head so her lips were almost brushing JC’s, still looking into his eyes and whispered, “Please kiss me, JC.”

Taking his time, he looked at her until he pressed his lips to hers.  Only then did they close their eyes in unison to experience the sensations.  His soft, firm lips explored hers, tentative at first.  Tasting, learning, giving, and taking the sweetness she offered in return.  His hands fell to her elbows where he guided her arms up around his neck.  She immediately locked them around his neck.  Both of his hands then plunged into her hair, tilting her head so he could increase the pressure of the kiss. 

Kate’s mind whirled as the outside world disappeared.  The taste of his lips was almost familiar.  Almost…as if this was where she was meant to be. 

He tugged her bottom lip between his teeth, biting down gently before soothing it with his tongue.  He swallowed her gasp of pleasure before he moved his lips down her neck then back up to her ear.  Overwhelmed by the pleasure of his touch, her head rolled on her neck to give him greater access.  One of his hands moved to the back of her head while the other roamed her back before settling on her hip.  He kissed his way back to her lips, where he gentled his kiss. 

Slowly, they became aware of a throat clearing insistently nearby.  JC placed one last kiss on her nose before he rested his forehead against hers; she would forever taste him on her lips. 

“His timing sucks…”  JC whispered, in no rush to move from her arms or release her from his. 

Tom cleared his throat one more time and JC could hear him tapping his shoe impatiently against the tile floor.  JC’s warm sigh stirred the tendrils of hair around her ear, causing her to shiver.  “Yes, Tom?”

“If the two of you are done, there will be a concert here in just a few hours that you may want to get ready for.  JC – you are needed for the meet and greet.  Kate – Candy was looking for you, she wanted to know if you would be available to help repair a couple costumes.  Soooooo…..” 

As Kate was looking into JC’s eyes, she could see the corners around his eyes crinkle as he smiled and the light shining down on her.  Tom’s voice was in the far off distance as she struggled to find her footing on earth again. 

JC pressed one last quick kiss on her lips before he stepped back, leaving her to lean against the wall.  Grabbing her hand, he held it as he slowly backed away until their fingers were unable to touch any longer.  “This isn’t over, Kate,” he said.  “We will be discussing the whole ice issue.”

And with a wink, he was striding down the hall, whistling a happy tune.  Kate slowly turned her eyes to Tom, who was impatiently waiting for her.  “Candy needs your help.”  He said slowly, drawing out the sentence. 

Kate nodded and headed off into what she hoped was the right direction, but as soon as she left Tom behind, she lifted her hands to her lips to relieve the moment while an enormous grin covered her face.

Maybe she would get a happy ever after…  

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2401